Actions

Work Header

On the water

Chapter 9: Epilogue

Notes:

Hello!
That's it, we're coming to the end of "On the Water" and it's by far the story I preferred to write. This last chapter is full of emotion and I'm quite happy with how the story ends. If one day I find a sequel to this story, I would not hesitate to share it in a second part. I still want to say that I am extremely pleased with the comments. I never thought I would get so much positive feedback because I write so little. If you like what I write, I invite you to read my other fictions :)
I hope you will enjoy this chapter as much as I do.
Have a good reading <3

Chapter Text

Beep. Beep. 

 

I am the devil

 

Beep. Beep. 

 

I'm immortal

 

Beep. Beep. 

 

He had hung a man on the wall with such strength. He had survived bullets countless times. In the back. In the torso. He was bleeding. He was going to die, she was sure of it. 

 

I am the devil, Detective! I am invincible! 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

 

How? It's impossible, it can't be true. Lucifer, the real devil? An angel sent to Hell? Her Lucifer? The man she kissed, the man she loved? 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

 

She had already seen it... That red, hard, thick face... She was sure of it. When she was shot at the beginning of their partnership... In the reflection. And before she shot him in the leg... She hadn't hallucinated. She wasn't crazy. The devil was in him... Lucifer. No.. She can't admit it.. Not him. 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep.  Beep. 

 

The person that people call bad, ugly, responsible for their misfortunes. Lucifer.. It was not possible. The man who saved her. Saved from the hands of a killer, a monster. 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. 

 

The man with whom she had danced, laughed, teased and kissed. She didn't want to believe that a person like Lucifer was the real devil. He was nothing like a monster... 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

He was bleeding. She had seen him bleed several times. How is that possible? Isn't he supposed to be invincible, almighty? An incredible force but vulnerable sometimes... How can it be? 

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. 

 

Lucifer. I need an answer. Oh, Lucifer. Tell me who you really are. I need to know. 

 

She saw a figure slowly approaching. She couldn't see who he or she was but the closer it got, the more she saw the shape of a man. He was generating a white light all around him. And the closer he got, the more beautiful he was. The closer he got, the more she saw him. Lucifer. Radiant, brilliant! She had never seen anything so beautiful. . He smiled, he smiled at her as he continued to walk. She saw wings coming out of his back. So big, so white and so gorgeous.  She was captivated, her gaze did not want to leave this beautiful, incredible being in front of her eyes.  He was so close to her now that she was surrounded by a white aura. His eyes shone as he looked at her. They were beautiful. His face showed that he was happy with the enormous smile, the wrinkles in the corner of his eyes. Suddenly, the happiness on his face disappeared to reveal a sad, destroyed, annihilated man. His eyes had suddenly wrinkled and were glassy. Filled with tears that were about to flow. "I'm sorry." she heard. He was backing away, backing away, so fast. She reached out her hand to hold him back, but he was leaving too fast. She saw him disappear away from her. She wanted to scream but no sound came out of her mouth so she screamed louder. 

 

"LUCIFER!!!"

 

The white and luminous space disappeared under her eyes to give way to an environment that resembled a hospital. 

 

"Chloe!" She heard exclaiming to her left. She quickly realized that she was lying on a white bed with an IV on her arm. She had straightened up, her hands flat on the mattress and her breathing was rapid. Her heart was beating uncontrollably fast. She felt a hand resting on her. She turned to see who was next to her. 

 

"Calm down, Chloe, it's okay now..." Dan had just spoken as he approached her and quickly took her in his arms. She felt her breathing slow down as she was hugged in a comforting calm. She moved back from her ex-husband's arms. 

 

"Since...how long have I been here?" she asked, looking around her, then to the window overlooking the beach. She was back in Los Angeles. 

 

"You've been here for two days. The doctors told us that you must have suffered a great emotional shock following your kidnapping, with...with Lucifer..." Dan explained. At the mention of her partner's name, Chloe straightened up even more and felt an electroshock in her heart. 

 

"Lucifer... Is he okay...Where is...?" Chloe quickly asked Chloe but was interrupted by Dan. 

 

"Chloe, he's fine... He didn't have anything unlike you, you should calm down and lie down while I go get the doctors, huh ?" Dan gave her a smile as he stroked her hand. 

 

"What's... I want to know where he is..." the Detective insisted, begging her ex-husband for a look. 

 

"Chloe..." Dan breathed. "He... When we got the alert that something had happened, we forced the boat to dock at the first port... You were unconscious when we arrived several hours later and..." he stopped for a moment. 

 

"And what, Dan?" Chloe worried. 

 

"And Lucifer was... completely... I couldn't tell... He looked like he was broken while he was by your side on the boat... He kept repeating that it was his fault... I've never seen him in such a state before Chloe..." He stopped again to see a reaction in Chloe's eyes. All he could see were tears. "When...when we arrived in Los Angeles by chopper, he said we'd take good care of you... And we haven't heard from him since... He didn't want to get checked at the hospital, nothing... He just disappeared..." This time, Chloe's tears ran down her cheeks in abundance. 

 

"I have to see him, Dan, he's not responsible," she said as she grabbed his arm. 

 

"Right now Chloe, what you need is to lie down, I'll go get the doctors" he continued, pushing her back to lie down. She didn't seem happy, but she let it happen. He put a kiss on her forehead before leaving the room... 

 

***

 

"Detective Decker, I'm glad you're finally awake," announced the Lieutenant when he entered Chloe's room three hours later. Chloe responded with a simple smile. "We are deeply sorry for what happened, Detective," he continued with a sorry look on his face. 

 

"It's an occupational hazard, Lieutenant," Chloe replied simply with a shrug, still lying in her hospital bed. She saw him move closer to the bed. 

 

"If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you a few questions about what happened."

 

"Um, yes, of course," replied the Detective. 

 

"Well, sure..." He opened a file with several reports and photos. 

 

"We were able to arrest Mr. Hopper, who was unconscious when we arrived, with a broken spine..." he said. Your partner, Lucifer Morningstar, immediately confessed to us that he was responsible, and that it was self-defense." Images came back into Chloe's mind for a moment. Lucifer. An evil form. A supernatural force... "Detective?" 

 

"Hmm? Yes, I'm here... sorry... Yes, I'm... Lucifer defended me when the man wanted to... assault me..." She explained with some difficulty. 

 

"Hmm..." She could see the Lieutenant writing what Chloe confirmed. "We need to know exactly what happened, Detective, to confirm what Lucifer Morningstar said, and then for the court..."

 

"Yes, of course..." Chloe stood up and blew her breath before starting to explain from the beginning...

 

***

 

"Thank you, Detective, that seems to be consistent with what we've deduced from the murders. He kidnaps couples, sequesters them and has sex with the wife before killing the wife and husband. Luckily, Lucifer Morningstar prevented this from happening, but... There's something that intrigues me Detective... You said you were tied up in chains ?"

 

"That's right." Said Chloe nodding. 

 

"How did your partner get loose... It's not something easy to break," the Lieutenant said, frowning. 

 

"What the... Are we investigating Mr. Hopper or Lucifer, Lieutenant? "asked Chloe, also frowning. 

 

"We're just intrigued. Understand us, it takes incredible strength to break chains into a thousand pieces. "Chloe could still see the chain breaking, flying through the sky and falling back to the floor in pieces. 

 

"I..." Chloe began but she blocked. She couldn't say what she saw. What would she look like? A crazy person? All she saw was her partner trying to protect her. "I just...  couldn't explain, Lieutenant, the chain was old, rusty... Lieutenant, Lucifer saved my life that day... That's all I remember, no matter how he managed to escape the fucking chain," Chloe continued, looking the Lieutenant firmly in the eyes to take her word for it. 

 

"Hmm..." He noted more on his report. "I think I'm done with you Detective," he said, raising his head and giving her a smile. "If... if anything comes to mind, we'll be there to hear it." She saw him get up and walk to the door. 

 

"See you soon, Detective."

 

"See you soon."

 

Once the Lieutenant was out of her room, Chloe turned to the window, looking at the horizon. What had she just done? She could have said that he was a dangerous creature on Earth, powerful enough to destroy everything around him. But she hadn't. Chloe Decker had lied for the Devil... Her partner... Lucifer.

 

***

 

He had a glass in his hand filled with whiskey. Probably his 10th. He didn't know, he just drank them one after the other. His forearms were resting on the railing of his balcony, looking at his glass. Nothing else. He was in a pitiful state. He was wearing shorts and a black robe. He had stopped taking care of himself because his hair wasn't combed, in total mess with locks falling on his forehead. This man was destroyed. Inside and outside. He was consumed by guilt, it was getting deeper and deeper inside him. His head was curled up between his shoulders as he lost again in thoughts that gradually burned him. He would not forget this face. A face of terror as she looked at him. Her lips, which he had kissed several times, were trembling because of him. Because of the fucking monstrosity inside him. A dark side that would scare anyone who looked at it. Monstrous. He was monstrous. He couldn't find other words to describe himself. He's not just... 

 

"Lucifer."

 

His eyes opened and his glass slipped from his hands and fell into the void. He was overwhelmed by incomprehension, fear and surprise. How is this possible? How is it possible?  Why did she come? Chloe...He trembled as he turned around to see the most beautiful woman, the woman he had frightened.  She was standing in front of the still open elevator. She could still run if she wanted to, but she didn't move.Her hands were inside each other in front of her body and she was incredibly gorgeous.  She didn't even seem to be afraid when she looked at him, which surprised him. She was beautiful and he was pathetic. She was wearing a little black top with jeans buried in her boots. Even dressed like that he couldn't help but find her beautiful and think that he was this monster who had frightened this beauty... He remained stoic. He couldn't move, opening his mouth was impossible for him. He saw her take one step forward, then another, then another, until she found herself not far from him. Why didn't she run away? Why was she so close to him? He was amazed by her, impressed at that very moment. It was her melodious voice again that made him leave his thoughts. 

 

"How are you?" Terribly badly, he wanted to answer. But he said nothing, completely shocked to find her there, in front of him. Why was she even worried about his condition? It was her state the most important thing at the moment. Not his. 

 

"I... Detective.. I don't understand..." he managed to pronounce, not daring to look at her, looking away. He heard the heels on the floor, signifying that she was getting closer to him. When he looked up, she was there. Right in front of him. Her body was less than a meter away from his. How is that possible? She should be terrified. But no, she was there, even closer. 

 

"I wanted to see you. See my partner," she began, her face showing no fear. 

 

"I... Why Chloe? You... you should run away screaming in fear knowing who I am... what I am." He ends his sentence with self-loathing. 

 

"What you are is not what I saw... What I saw was my partner, the man who saved my life in that room when a man was about to hurt me... What I saw is the man I'm in love with." He laughs at the last sentence as he looks down at the floor. The man she loves? She must have been delirious. It wasn't possible. He felt a softness on her cheek and understanding that it was Chloe's hand, he raised his eyes to cross hers. No matter how hard he searched, he saw no sign of fear. He saw that beautiful blue look as she had looked at him when they had kissed. 

 

"Chloe... I am the Devil. A monster... You can't see me like this..." he said as he held back his tears. Chloe's thumb came to caress Lucifer's cheek, on his beard. 

 

"That's not what you are to me... I realized in that hospital room that you were not only the Devil, but also an angel with a terrible pain inside... My angel... The one who was there for me, who protects me, who makes me laugh, who makes me happy... Lucifer... Put away this guilt because I know you feel bad about what happened but please... Let me see you for what you really are..." She had gotten closer to him again, their faces inches apart. She was telling the truth, he could see it. Everything she had just said was the pure truth. He let out a sigh. How could he be so lucky? Lucky to have Chloe in his life. 

 

"Chloe..." His eyes drifted towards her lips, which were beginning to approach his. He couldn't tell her to back off because she was making a terrible mistake so he let her.  He let her energy flow as she touched his lips with hers. This change of emotion in such a short time burst into his heart and everything he felt at that moment came back to his eyes where the tears were coming out. What had he done to deserve it? So perfect. He cried as she kissed him and he wanted to feel her closer, to know it was real. He put his hand behind her neck, sending the kiss into something strong, needy, symbolic. He knew it was real, Chloe's lips were there, dancing passionately against his.

 

"I love you." He heard against his lips. He moved his face slightly away from her, his eyes crossed Chloe's eyes and he let out a nervous laugh. The Devil was loved. How could it be real after years and years without a word of love for him. The Devil had found someone who loved him... Tears ran down his cheeks more as he poured down on Chloe's lips. He put his hand on her hip to bring her closer to him, until their bodies touched. He felt Chloe's hands descend onto his shoulders under his robe. But she didn't stop and lowered them onto his chest as the kiss became more languorous. He could feel that the kiss was going to take them further down as the hands navigated over Lucifer's bare torso. She touched every inch of his chest, showing him that she wasn't afraid of him. He got carried away and allowed Chloe to slide his bathrobe off his shoulders. He could feel the electricity flowing through his body as her soft hands touched him, and soon the electricity was in a special place. He quickly understood what was going to happen. 

 

"Chloe..." He moved his lips back, his eyes opened to look at Chloe's. He saw envy, desire and... love. "Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked as he kept staring. 

 

"I'm sure," she replied with her most beautiful smile. Lucifer squinted with a nervous laugh and carried Chloe like a queen. His Queen. She made a small surprise sound as her legs fell off the floor. She buried her face in his neck, laughing as he carried her into the bedroom, lit by the lights of the bedside lamps. He placed her in the center of the bed as if she were the most precious thing he was holding in his arms. 

Tonight, as their bodies were gathered in a moment of tenderness, of passion, Lucifer was the happiest man. He was no longer just the Devil in this woman's arms, he was Lucifer Morningstar, the man. 

 

<3