Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Non's Written Works , Part 1 of Rewind, Remix, Replay
Collections:
Found family to make me feel something, My Favourites My Darling ones, the M in MCYT stands for my god how did i end up in the minecraft fandom again, Time Travel Fics That Water My Crops, Reds OG Read later collection :p, Want To Read DSMP, Mcyt_fics, This is insomnia, love me some crack fics and traumatised children, Dream SMP fics that butter my bread, so what im a tommyinnit kin, Completed stories I've read, Pog Fics What Are Done, Completed works to read, DSMP Fics I adore - Mainly about Tommy because that boy is my - traumatized - comfort character 😌, Cross' Collection of DSMP/SBI fics (finished), cauldronrings favs ( •̀ ω •́ )✧, "Where the F am I?!" ⛼ - Or characters moving through universes and timelines, Characters Explores Fix-it | Time Travel | Alternate Universe, OMG (✌゚∀゚)☞ Pogchamp DSMP Fanfic!!
Stats:
Published:
2020-12-22
Completed:
2021-09-15
Words:
264,683
Chapters:
71/71
Comments:
4,295
Kudos:
11,336
Bookmarks:
1,976
Hits:
483,969

Chapter 33: Discussions

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text


It's a strange thing, facing your future self, meeting them in the flesh and finding out what they did either by someone else who knew them or by themselves.

A person can imagine their future all they want but it's different when they have to face that future.

Wilbur's thoughts on his own future had changed drastically ever since election night. Before hand he had imagined himself as president of the country he had built from the ground up, that he and his son had fought for and that his little brother had died for twice- L'Manberg was supposed to be a safe place for his family, a safe place for everyone to stay in. He had thought he would lead it to glory and a bright future.

But those were just fantasies of a hopeful man who had been stressed out of his mind after the war of independence with a certain masked bastard. 

The truth came to him in the form of two men coming from the future, Toby and Theo. 

Theo had immediately disappeared from L'Manberg while Toby stayed and explained what actually happens in the future.

It was a future that no one would have expected at all. Something that should have only happened in fiction, a horrific story for the masses. And yet it was truth. And that wasn't all.

The bright future that Wilbur had imagined would never come to fruition, at the hands of many people- especially his own.

The man who had started a country from the ground up went insane after being exiled and destroyed it.

Wilbur had wanted to deny it, at first he did. But that was swiftly crushed in the face of Toby's cold eyes and the stoic words given to him.

"I asked you yesterday. Your country or your family." 

Country or family?

That was the question and Wilbur had thought he would've answered immediately, but the thing was... he hesitated. He hesitated to answer- he didn't have an answer then and it forced him to look at himself. Look over his ideals, his actions, his morals-

He had been a man so blinded that he had let children fight in his wars. His little brother had contributed the most in the end, giving up his discs for the future of Wilbur's country. It should've been Wilbur. He should have done something. 

He was the older brother, he was the one who started it all and yet Tommy was the one who paid the price. In both timelines, Tommy had given everything for L'Manberg and in one timeline, Tommy had destroyed it.

In this timeline, Theo threatened to destroy it. That terrified him Tommy his Toms-

The path Wilbur had been on wouldn't just affect him, it would affect everyone around him. Fundy, Phil, Techno, Tubbo, Tommy- He had been so close to losing everything in the span of two years, but Toby had stopped it. Toby had made his own mistakes, seen it, experienced it and he stopped Wilbur from going down that path and he would be forever grateful for that.

Toby had been his only source of knowledge for the future and Wilbur could rely on him to know what was best. 

But now there was another source from the future.

Someone else who knew the path that Wilbur would have taken and that someone was himself.

Ghostbur. Formerly the Wilbur that Toby and Theo had in their future.

The mad man who blew up the country he had built and had hurt so many people in his wake. 

A ghost of his former self. A ghost of the Wilbur that Wilbur himself swore not to become.

How does one face the man that they swore not to become? Face the future that would never happen?

Wilbur found Ghostbur in the kitchen, early in the morning. He hadn't slept very well that night, the events of the day prior weighing heavily on his head. On one hand, the Egg was finally dead and they didn't have to worry about its mind controlling anymore, sure there might be lingering Crimson plants hanging around but without the Egg spearheading the doom of both the Overworld and the Nether, they would be easy to deal with.

But on the other hand Wilbur was on his last life, Niki was still unconscious after being mindcontrolled by the Egg, Ghostbur had come with Ranboo -Ranboo so far has been polite and nice, a nervous lad but he was good and Toby was certainly happy he was there- and Theo threatened to blow up L'Manberg.

Theo had sang a warped song of their nation and threatened to blow it up should anything happen to the Dream Team. Which was somewhat surprising, George and Sapnap were now officially underneath Theo's protection as well. Still, it left a sour taste in his mouth. A devastating taste as the older version of his little brother threatened to blow up the country he had once loved.

Again.

Because Theo had blown it up before. In Toby's future. A third and final time. 

Wilbur shifted from one foot to another, feeling very uncomfortable as he and Ghostbur locked eyes. "Um... Good morning. Ghostbur." He greeted awkwardly, nodding to the specter who smiled wryly and nodded back.

'Good morning Alivebur.' Was Ghostbur's greeting back and Wilbur couldn't help the small, quiet snort that escaped his mouth. 

Ghostbur and Alivebur.

What a pair.

Still, it was very weird to be referred as 'Alivebur' from your dead future counterpart.

They shared an awkward moment of silence before Wilbur shook his head and headed into Tubbo's kitchen- they've really just been living in Tubbo's house for a while now haven't they? They just can't help it and Tubbo had said he hadn't minded at all, even offering a permanent place for him, Tommy and Toby. At this rate, they might just take up on his offer, him and Tommy at least. Toby was still thinking on it. It just felt better that way. 

At any rate though, Wilbur went to make breakfast but found a cracked glass cup on the counter. He let out a small questioning noise at the cup, and realized it smelled somewhat familiar. Cautiously, he sniffed at the glass, smelling the lingering scent of something. Was that- was that scotch? 

'Ah. Toby cracked the glass, he'll replace it later.' Ghostbur piped from behind, scaring Wilbur into dropping it- both men winced as it broke on the counter. '... Whoops. Well, at least it was already broken in the first place?' 

"I-I guess?" Wilbur sighed, picking up the largest pieces of the glass and placing it in his inventory so he could get rid of it later but he paused. "Toby cracked the glass? It smelled- It smelled like Scotch. Was he drinking?" He questioned him- questioned Ghostbur incredulously, looking at the ghost. He hadn't thought Toby was the type of man to drink, especially since Wilbur knew Tubbo and Toby had forbidden Schlatt from drinking, forcing him into constant sobriety. It seemed a bit hypocritical now.

Ghostbur gave him a lopsided grin, 'Surprising isn't it? I didn't know either until I found him drinking last night. Don't worry, he didn't drink that much. He's actually not much of a drinker, says he only drinks occasionally and he always limits himself. He's never been full on drunk before. He had three glasses last night- he cracked that glass as his second, after his third he went to bed. Should still be asleep right now.' Toby had actually wanted a fourth glass but Ghostbur insisted him to sleep instead. Ghostbur didn't exactly know Toby's tolerance for alcohol, much less for scotch but he definitely wanted the man who he once knew as a sweet bee-loving boy to go to sleep instead of drinking more that night.

Wilbur let out a small 'oh' of understanding. Toby could control himself, he limited his drinking. Unlike Schlatt who indulged way too much and wouldn't stop as easily. It took to threatening his life to actually get the goat hybrid to stop drinking. "Well, that's good." He cleans up the rest of the glass, placing it in his inventory before throwing it into the trash once he'd gathered all the pieces. 

After that, he makes himself coffee and checks on Niki who was still unfortunately unconscious in the living room. Ranboo was also still sleeping in the living room as well, sleeping in the bed that George had been unconscious in. The enderman hybrid had no place for himself yet and Tubbo, ever polite and hospitable, let him stay the night. Ghostbur as well, though he had no need for a bed, unable to sleep or die.

Philza and Technoblade had stayed the night as well- Tubbo's house was cramped but no one really minded for the moment. 

While checking on Niki, Ranboo had woken up, a light sleeper apparently. 'Good morning Ranboo.' Ghostbur greeted with a warm smile on the younger male. 

The enderman hybrid yawned and Wilbur watched wide-eyed at the way his jaw unhinged. "G-ooo-od morning. Ghostbur." He said, yawning mid sentence. He blushed when he noticed Wilbur's staring. "Oh. Uh- G-Good morning, um Wilbur?" He greeted awkwardly, gripping his blanket tightly, embarrassed that Wilbur had seen him yawning. 

"Er- morning, Ranboo." Wilbur greeted back, feeling a bit sheepish for staring. "How did you sleep?" He asked, sipping from his cup of coffee.

Ranboo perked and finally sat up, stretching a bit, "I slept fine! It's- it's nice to sleep in a bed again." He admitted, smiling happily though his smile slipped as he looked over at Niki. "Is... is Niki going to be okay?" Finding out that your friend had been controlled by an evil Egg- something that Ghostbur had been talking about from time to time, wasn't fun. He had been worried for her and honestly it's half of the reason why he accepted Tubbo's offer of staying for the night.

That and he had nowhere else to go.

"She'll be fine. This is Niki we're talking about, she's strong. She'll wake up any time." Wilbur reassured him, finding it nice that Ranboo worried over a mutual friend. Though he had to wonder on how Ranboo even knew Niki. So he asked.

"Oh! Uh well, I think we might a couple of years ago. Our paths crossed while traveling." Ranboo said, getting out his memory book just to be sure. "Yeah, we met in a small village and I bought some bread and sweets from her. It tasted great. We spent some time in the village and promised to stay in touch when we both left. It's been a while since I heard from her though, she mentioned L'Manberg in her latest letter and when I met Ghostbur who knew where it was, I uh, I went with him." He had wanted to meet everyone and reunite with Niki. 

'Mhmm. And we talked all the way here. He suggested the memory book thing when I kept gaining and losing memories.' Ghostbur said, patting Ranboo on the head. Both Ranboo and Wilbur winced as they remembered yesterday with Ghostbur's memory book. 'Hm? What's wrong?' The ghost asked, noticing their simultaneous wince.

"Uh..." Ranboo chewed on his lip and guiltily admitted giving Ghostbur's memory book to the others. "I'm- I'm really sorry Ghostbur." He mumbled, ashamed to have given the book up so easily. 

However Ghostbur wasn't angry, if anything he just smiled at Ranboo. 'Hey hey! It's okay. Technically Alivebur was right- he is kinda me and he has the right to know too. I certainly would've wanted to know. I don't mind anyone else reading my book Ranboo it's okay. I'm not mad.' Ranboo sighed in relief, though he still felt ashamed. 

Wilbur was happy that Ghostbur didn't mind, which made sense but he frowned as he remembered Ghostbur's writings. The last written page specifically. "Do you... still remember what Dream did?" He asked the ghost cautiously, eyeing the specter. Ghostbur's coat wasn't torn or bloody and he wore a yellow sweater underneath. From what Wilbur understood and suspected, Ghostbur's form changed based on what he remembered or felt. 

And he'd say his suspicions were true as he watched holes appear on the coat, ghostly blood staining it as well- he cringed as he wondered just who's blood that was. Was it his? Or someone else's? It didn't really matter as Ghostbur scowled. "I'm going to take that as a yes." 

'Yeah. I remember what happened.' Ghostbur spat, crossing his arms and glaring coldly at the wall. 'I may not remember all of it, but I still remember the important stuff. Dream... I need him away from Toms. From Theo. He- I can't let him take Theo away again.' He muttered darkly and Wilbur nodded in agreement with his own grimace. 

"We'll think of something." 

"But if you do anything to Dream, Theo will blow up L'Manberg." Ranboo pointed out quietly making both Wilburs huff, "What could you even do to separate them? Theo seems really attached to him, and to George and Sapnap... I don't think he'd voluntarily leave their side." 

'We'll think of something.' Ghostbur repeated what Wilbur said, a cruel and slightly insane smile on his face that made both Ranboo and Wilbur shiver, 'The green motherfucker can suck it. He'll get what's coming to him.'

Ranboo shifted from where he sat on the spare bed, giving Ghostbur a look of alarm and concern. "You won't kill him will you? I mean, I know he's a bad guy or something but still..."

Ghostbur snorted, giving Ranboo a cold look only softening when he saw Ranboo flinch. 'He deserves it Ranboo. He's done so much to my Toms, he's wrought pain and suffering to him and Toby and the L'Manberg from my future is gone because of him. Theo may have blown it up but Toby told me that he did it with Punz AND Dream. Most likely under Dream's orders he was forced to blow L'Manberg up.' 

The hybrid chewed on his lower lip, "I don't think the Dream right now has done anything like that though? From the looks of things, he's just been hanging back... And Theo threatened to blow up L'Manberg on his own." He thinks, he hadn't heard Dream say anything during the whole thing yesterday.

"He still took Tommy's lives away." Wilbur pointed out, arms crossed and a deep scowl on his face. "He's dangerous. Ranboo, you've heard what Ghostbur has been saying. You're new here and you've never met Dream so you don't know yourself just how bad he can be." Memories came to him. Of the final control room, the way Dream had killed Tommy both times there in the room and in the duel, Dream's threat and demand for white flags and their surrender-

'Trust us Ranboo. I may have been a bad brother and father and was the bad guy and blew up my nation.' Ghostbur started, closing his eyes when he saw Wilbur's flinch at his words, 'But Dream helped me in doing that. I've seen him, he's manipulated and hurt a lot of people, Toms included and in the end, his very own best friends left him because of that. George and Sapnap were his very best friends but they left once they saw how horrible Dream really was. They haven't yet, but they will. I think we can get their help actually, if we can convince them to help us, we can get to Theo.' Ghostbur said with a grinning, thoughtful look on his face.

Wilbur brightened at the idea while Ranboo stewed in his own thoughts and doubts.


"You're asking me if I'm okay with you guys letting Bad and Skeppy know about the Stronghold and my enchantment?" Theo questioned incredulously with a tone of disbelief. "Why?"

The Dream Team exchanged some looks at the table, they were all having breakfast in Dream's base after waking up on the couch. Theo had apologized for falling asleep on Dream and for breaking down but they, Dream especially, reassured Theo that it was alright. Though Dream did nag on Sapnap for drooling on his shoulder. 

"Well, for one we trust Bad." Sapnap started, swallowing his steak, "And Bad trusts Skeppy so there's that. Having them both know about the Stronghold should be okay, they can both keep a secret." 

George nodded in agreement, "And Bad is a demon, so he should know a few things about the enchantment on your back." Theo tensed at the mention of his tattoo, "He might know on how to get rid of it- or at least break it. If not, then maybe the Stronghold's library can help him help us." The thought of breaking his enchanted tattoo was baffling, he frowned at the slight pangs he felt for even thinking about that. He was Loyal to Dream. Why would he want to break the tattoo?

"I personally don't mind Bad and Skeppy knowing about the Stronghold, and the tattoo. But it's still up to you if you want them to know- you live in the Stronghold and it's your tattoo. We don't have to tell them about both, but it'll be harder to help you and me if we have to hide it from them. I'm planning on telling them about the whole Separation and Fragment thing too." Theo held a complicated look on his face underneath his mask, his fists clenching on his lap.

"I... O-Okay? I don't-" The thought of somehow escaping the enchantment on his back or even breaking it made him feel... Complicated. He didn't want to break it. Or did he? No he didn't he was Loyal- But the bond from it was affecting Dream- Who he was Loyal to so no- "This is very confusing and my head's starting to hurt. Just- do what you want. I don't have a say in this. Please." He said, pressing a hand against his head.

The three men frowned at that but nodded all the same, they should've known that talking to Theo about breaking the enchantment would affect him- but at least it wasn't that bad of an effect. However, George still had to ask, "Do you remember what book uh, your Dream used for the enchantment?" 

Theo turned to Dream who nodded at him, gave him his consent. Dream had given him consent to answer any of George and Sapnap's questions- he could also not answer if he wanted but at this point it was just instinct to look at Dream for permission. "Somewhat. I think there was more than one book, but the main one is a blue book, very old- it was about enchantments I can't remember the title of it- I wasn't allowed to touch it or read it. Friend Dream tried to let me read it once but Owner Dream stopped that pretty early. It should be somewhere in Dream's untranslated and old books in the Stronghold. I don't know when he found it or how he used it though." He had no idea where the book had gone, Owner Dream had either hid the thing or destroyed it back in his Stronghold. 

The Dream Team discussed on what they were going to do, tomorrow they would meet up with Bad and Skeppy, tell them both everything and lead them to the Stronghold. They would try to find the book that Theo described and find out what they could to break the Loyalty III bond Theo and Dream had- Bad was a demon, he had lived a long time so maybe he had an idea or a solution. If not, they could still use his help for this. Skeppy was someone Bad trusted so they in turn, could trust him.

Plus, Bad and Skeppy could also help Theo himself in more ways than one. 

All in all, it was a good plan. A good start. 

"At some point, we should visit the old pig also." Theo chimed in, confusing them for a moment before they realized he was talking about a certain Priest. "I- I want to visit him, if Dream allows me. We can go visit him together. I've got some shit to talk with the old pig... hopefully get more answers on Dream's 'Seperation' and 'Fragment'."

The three males perked, "Oh right! You can get more questions out of him right? We uh, kinda used every question we had from him back then." Sapnap said with a sheepish grin.

Theo snorted, "Easily. The damned pig is weak to heads. Wither skulls especially. But with me there, I think we can get unlimited questions. I'm kin to two warriors after all." He said, somewhat bitterly. At least his connection to both Technoblade and Toby were useful. "In any case, we should visit him in the near future."

And they would.

Though they weren't the only ones to think of that.


Notes:

apparently time travel is an actual thing on the dream smp now
along with the egg talking
im
ive been out of the loop. i need to actually pay attention to canon i have no idea whats going on, i was so focused on this that i've kinda just been skimming the actual story for a while? i missed a lot of things. oh god i dont know how to fit karl in my story now. i had written him down as one of the infected that was killed in toby's future. uhh i'll think of something?

honestly, no idea what this chapter is supposed to be. i guess i wanted wilbur and ghostbur talking and more ranboo? i'm not complaining.

hey, it's a reprieve from the things that had happen. next chapter should be a bit more exciting. i think. like i said, i'm kinda winging it with these chapters and this story? now that i've done one idea i'm randomly building up to the next idea. which apparently is having bad and skeppy find out everything (was not planned) and visiting the warped priest again (was planned).