Actions

Work Header

Best Wishes, Warmest Regards

Summary:

After the death of Jiang Yanli and Jin Zixuan, Jin Ling still needs to be cared for. Two uncles are up for the task.

Or: A series of correspondences between Jinlintai and Lotus Pier.

Notes:

written for the absolutely delightful prompt: "I had a blast when Jiang Wanyin and Jin Guangyao played good cop parent and bad cop parent with Jin Ling! I'd love any fic centered on their experience co-parenting their beloved nephew."

i hope this fits the bill and i hope you enjoy!

there are several timeskips between letters (i.e., i don't show EVERY letter that they wrote, just a selection of them), but i didn't want to mess around with dates so there's none on there ^^; also, i adopted an english-language form of 'proper' letter writing as this fic is in english :')

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Your presence is requested at Jinlintai, as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Your presence has once again been requested at Jinlintai, as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

This would be easier if you would just give me custody of Jin Ling.

I’m sending this in advance, I will be there soon.

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Please come to Jinlintai at your earliest convenience. Jin Ling is, as I write this, napping after crying himself to sleep. I believe Sect Leader Jin would like to speak to you on the matter.

Thank you,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

We have arrived safely at Lotus Pier, I am sending this acknowledgement as requested. Jin Ling slept soundly through the flight.

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Thank you for informing us. As discussed, I will await your weekly updates on Jin Ling, until he is set to return to Jinlintai.

Best regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

As it has now been a week, I am writing to update you. Jin Ling is settling well. He has taken a liking to the nanny we have found to mind him while here. He has tried to swim, but the waters are cool this time of year, and so he was not permitted.

I would also like to extend my condolences regarding the death of Chifeng-zun. Losing a brother is difficult

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear my nephew Jin Ling is settling in well.

Your sympathies are appreciated.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

Not much has changed since last week, nor the week before that, nor the several preceding weeks. Jin Ling is happy and healthy. Do I really have to write an update every week? He’s not even three. His days are hardly the great epics of legend.

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Thank you, as always, for your riveting and detailed account of how my nephew is doing. You are welcome to bring it up with Sect Leader Jin, with whom you set the terms of your custody.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

Mark your words.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

I must admit, I had doubts as to the effectiveness of your methods, but… Sect Leader Jin does not wish for you to send weekly accounts anymore.

I am more surprised that your stunt worked than you possibly are.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

I told you.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

As Jin Ling is family, I would like to request his attendance at my son’s one-month celebration.

Thank you,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

We’ll be there. Congratulations again.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Accompanying this letter you will find Jin Ling’s left boot, which he appears to have forgotten.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

Jin Ling wants to see his cousin. When would be a good time?

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

I may remind you that, per the agreement between Jin and Jiang Sects, it is almost come time for Jin Ling to spend time at Jinlintai.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


I know, fuck Dear Lianfang-zun,

I am arranging transport. You can plan for him to arrive at the end of the week.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Lianfang-zun,

How is Jin Ling?

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

He is exactly as he was the last six times you wrote to me. He is doing well, and is kept suitably entertained. He enjoys spending time with A-Song.

Please refrain from asking after him again until next week. I promise you, I will alert you should anything out of the ordinary happen.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

Surely there is some treaty or another that needs to be re-negotiated.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Your nephew is fine. If you truly wish to re-negotiate treaties, please write to my father.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

How is Can I come visit When would be a good time to I just really fucking miss him he’s all I have left I trust that Jin Ling is well?

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Pardon my bluntness, but were you drunk when you sent the last letter? Your handwriting left much to be desired.

The enclosed painting is from Jin Ling. He says it’s of you. He must think very highly of you, to be able to draw such a faithful representation at such a young age.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

I apologize for my previous letter. Please tell Jin Ling thank you, and that his art is wonderful.

Sincerely,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

This is your fifty-second letter asking about Jin Ling. I counted.

He is fine.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

When can I come pick Jin Ling up?

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

I am sending this letter with the messenger I have hired to bring several of Jin Ling’s belongings the two of you seem to have forgotten in your haste.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Lianfang-zun,

Jin Ling is delighted to be reunited with his toys. Thank you for sending them along.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

My condolences to hear about the passing of your father. You will uphold his legacy? no make a good sect leader as well.

Best wishes,
Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

It was indeed unexpected. Your sympathies are once again appreciated at this time.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

I will drop off Jin Ling a week from now.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Yes, Jin Ling is well. He and A-Song have been getting into trouble, now that A-Song has also learned to walk.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Jin Ling has requested I write you a letter. He wishes to say good night to you.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao and Jin Ling


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

This year, Jin Ling will need to start his formal swimming training. We request he remain at Lotus Pier several weeks longer than normal, to allow for us to use the warmest weather for swimming.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

As the Cultivation Conference at the end of summer is to be held at Jinlintai, I request that you bring Jin Ling back then.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

I thought you would want to know that Jin Ling is demonstrating the beginning steps of qi manipulation and golden core formation. He is doing very well for his age.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

I was not aware that Yunmeng Jiang begins disciples on bow and arrow at such a young age.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

My apologies for the incident. I have sent along some soothing cream infused with lotus, our medics frequently use this salve when anyone acquires an arrow wound, and assure me that it promotes quicker and more painless healing.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Today marks the third day that Jin Ling has jumped into the lotus pond we have here at Jinlintai, and not, uncoincidentally, the third pair of robes that he has stained with mud while doing so. Today he dragged A-Song with him, ruining both their robes.

When questioned, he maintained that this was something his jiujiu taught him. Please refrain from doing so in the future. Our seamstresses will be grateful.

Warmest regards,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

My sincerest apologies to your seamstresses. Additionally, Jin Zixuan had the right idea when he built that pond; late summer is no time to be without access to a water.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

I will escort Jin Ling to Lotus Pier this time; I wish to introduce him to some towns along the way that are under Lanling Jin jurisdiction. I hope you will be understanding.

Best,
Jin Guangyao


DOGS ARE NOT ALLOWED IN LOTUS PIER YOU FUCK.


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

I apologize for the missive you have just received. I did not get a chance to read it, but I nonetheless have cause to believe it was, perhaps, coarsely worded. Please disregard the previous message.

Little Fairy is settling in nicely.

Sincerely,
Jiang Sect Deputy, Jiang Xiyue


Dear Sect Leader Jiang,

Please see the enclosed collection of books that Jin Ling was studying from. I do believe he ‘forgot’ them in Jinlintai.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Jin Ling would like to express his deepest thanks for the study material. You are correct, they were ‘forgotten’.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

I realize it is a week earlier than usual, but if you would be so inclined to save a trip and further Jin Ling’s education at the same time, you can bring him to the Cultivation Conference, and then I can return with him to Jinlintai.

Best,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

You fucking wanted Jin Ling there so I wouldn’t yell at you, didn’t you? You know full well that those fucking watchtowers are the Wen-dog supervisory offices all over again

How is Jin Ling settling in?

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Your attempts at crossing out your message could have stood to be more effective, as I’m sure you’re aware. I promise you that the intention of the watchtowers is purely as I stated: to better allow the cultivational sects and any rogue cultivators available to better respond to crises faced by the common people, who rely on us for protection against malevolent spirits. Additionally, as I stated, watchtowers within Yunmeng will be manned by Yunmeng disciples.

Jin Ling is settling in well; he and A-Song are playing together frequently, taking turns being the scared villager and powerful cultivator who protects them. At least the children know what our duty is.

Best wishes,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Jin Ling sent me a letter recently, asking if Jin Rusong can accompany him to Lotus Pier for a few weeks when he comes. I have no objections to this; let me know in advance, as two children and myself would not all fit on one sword, especially if one of the children is as wiggly as Jin Ling.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

A-Song has expressed his interest in going with Jin Ling. I would request, however, that we begin with a shorter visit than what Jin Ling is used to.

Best,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Your son is settling in well here. Jin Ling has taken him swimming, I think he likes it. He is learning quickly, so don’t worry about his safety.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Both myself and my wife miss A-Song dearly; would it be possible to come pick him up soon?

Best,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Send word ahead and you may come whenever you like. Good luck finding him though—he’s taken a shine to shelling lotus seeds. We’ll make a fine Yunmeng disciple of him yet.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

If you have need of a matchmaker after the latest incident, Qin Su informs me that she knows of a few.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

Kindly fuck off.

-Jiang Wanyin


Dear Sect Leader Jin,

My deepest condolences about the death of Jin Rusong. He was a bright child, and too young. He will be sorely missed. I have been informed the perpetrators have already been dealt with, however, know that Yunmeng Jiang stands with you during this time.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Thank you for your kind words. I believe I am still in shock.

I would ask, if possible, that you take Jin Ling for the time being. There is… much on my plate.

-Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Yes, Jin Ling’s studies are progressing well. He is the top student in archery, at the moment. I am not sure about friends.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

If you would not mind playing a few rounds of weiqi with Jin Ling, I would be most grateful. He is still brash, even for a twelve-year-old. I believe a deeper study of strategy would do him well.

Regards,
-Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Were you the one to teach Fairy to open doors? Or to allow Jin Ling to teach Fairy to open doors? If so, I hope all your boots are chewed.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Spiritual dogs are renowned for their intelligence.

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

We will be delayed a week in returning Jin Ling to Jinlintai. There has been some unusual water ghoul activity that I believe would make a rare learning opportunity for Jin Ling.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

I heard rumors about another demonic cultivator going missing recently. Would you happen to know anything of the circumstances involved?

Best,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Wouldn’t you like to know.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Starting next year Jin Ling will be old enough to attend the usual guest lectures at the Cloud Recesses. Teacher Lan is widely respected, and Zewu-jun tells me they would be honored to host Jin Ling. Of course, this means his schedule will be somewhat different than usual. When can we discuss this?

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

I agree that Teacher Lan's lectures will be formative to Jin Ling and make him into a stronger sect leader in the future. I would propose that he divide his remaining time between Lotus Pier and Jinlintai.

This is, of course, with the understanding that he will be attending next year, so as to start the lectures at age fifteen.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jin,

Could you send Jin Ling another pair of pants? He fell of Suihua and ripped another pair.

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

Jin Ling got into a fist-fight today. Why is it that every time he returns from Lotus Pier I have to teach him manners all over again?

Regards,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

Did he win?

-Jiang Wanyin


Sect Leader Jiang,

While that is not the point, I am pleased to inform you that he did win, inasmuch as one can win a fist-fight between fourteen-year-olds that got broken up almost as soon as it began.

Best,
Jin Guangyao


Dear Jin Ling,

Good job.

-Jiujiu


Sect Leader Jiang,

With regards to the impending night hunt on Dafan Mountain, I have sent Jin Ling along with some servants, as well as a few items that may prove useful.

Sincerely,
Jin Guangyao


Sect Leader Jin,

“A few” items?! That’s two hundred nets. This is just a night hunt, fuckssake. Let him earn his own prey every once in a while. Also, you're not the only ones who are rich.

He’ll be coming home once we’re done, shouldn’t be more than a week at most.

-Jiang Wanyin

Notes:

the implication here is that jiang cheng bought jin ling the other two hundred nets to make up his 400 canonical total deity-binding nets he uses in canon :')