Actions

Work Header

Come Hell or High Water

Summary:

Oshun's third tell all about the boat trip from hell.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Welcome aboard!

Summary:

Oshun aboards the yacht with her baggage...

Notes:

Song: Hello Sunshine by Super Furry Animals
Day Outfit- https://www.hotmiamistyles.com/Denim-Zipper-Bustier-Corset-Crop-Top-p/sid10091denim.htm
Hairstyle- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/439452876141141197/
Hair color- https://vietnamhairs.vn/things-must-know-dark-blue-hair.html/shiny-dark-blue-wavy-hair

Chapter Text

I found myself looking out the taxi window in my own thoughts, checking out the vast beach with the ocean's most gorgeous view. Kind of reminds me of being home in Brighton. Since my move to London, all I've seen is rain and I'm sick of it. But I've been enjoying my life being a voice acting, wrestling content creating, cabaret star.  I bet you're wondering what am I getting up to right now? Trouble... Nah, I'm actually going to a reunion. Since I didn't go last year due to some 'other obligations', I figured I'll go this time. Only difference is that it's everyone from Love Island season three. Last year's reunion was for season two.

"Oshun!" 

Yep, it's me again. Back with another tale. What don't believe me? Oh, hang on let me remove my sunglasses...Now you recognize me? Good. I know what you're thinking? Didn't I have golden blonde hair? Yeah, I did. Dyed it this dark blue colour weeks ago and honestly I liked how it turned out especially since I'm rocking this knee length goddess braid. So yeah, I went from a blonde to a bluenette...I'll stop.

"What?"

"You zoning out, again!" 

"I am?" I'm talking to my squad on facecam. In case you don't know who that is, it consist of Priya, Chelsea, Shannon, all season two alum.

"Yeah, babe. Are you OK?" Priya asked.

"I'm fine. Cool."

"That didn't sound too convincing. Are you still thinking about-" I cut Shannon off.

"No. I was just thinking about how different this reunion is."

"My thoughts exactly. A cruise on the Spanish coast on a luxury yacht? Yes please!" Chelsea chirped. "And plus, you need this more than ever, babes. You have been in this moody bubble for weeks and being cooped up in the house is simply out of the question." 

"For the record, I wasn't cooped up. I did go to work!" I said, rolling my eyes.

"What about your off days?" I remained quiet. "See?"

"Alright. You're right. I do need this more than ever. What would I do without you guys?"

"Still be in the flat in your bonnet and your taco onesie PJs, singing Amy Winehouse." Chelsea said. I frowned at Chelsea and pointed my manicured finger at her. "Don't get cute."

"How can I not with these looks?" She does a hair toss. It made me chuckle.

"And we got ourselves a chuckle!" Priya cheered.

"It's a start. Anyway, I should be pulling up to the dock at any minute. Talk later?

"Of course, babes!" Priya says.

"Sure, P.B." Chelsea says.

"Will do." Shannon replies.

"Also, break a leg in that poker tournament, Shan. I know you will kick ass!"

"Always."

"Bye y'all." I ended the video call. I continue to look out the window. But I once I blinked, I saw grey sky, dark clouds, and pouring rain. Of course, I'm the only one that can see it. As you can see, I'm not really the most chipper person in the world right now. Shocking right? Usually I would start a story on a high note. Let's just say, I'm battling emotions right now. I can hear you all now 'Oshun, lighten up! You're on holiday with your mates!' Technically, one of them is my mate but that isn't the point. I mean how can I even begin to enjoy myself after...Tai left.

Remember when I told you guys in the last story about 'having my share of obstacles?' Well, this was one of them. Now we all know arguments are going to happen. Even if you managed to somehow avoid one, it's still happens. What I'm about to tell y'all is one of those arguments we had that really could have put a stop to our relationship. Sounds very exaggerated, yes but I'm serious.

It all started on a cozy night in. It was raining outside as usual. I'm chilling in the bedroom with my cat, Noir cuddling my feet. I'm finishing off a personality quiz Lottie had created and sent to me. I'm not into those, but I'm just doing it for shits and giggles while I wait for Tai to finish cooking.

You're at a party, and it's super dull. You have a chance to liven it up, but that means you'll have to be the entertainment! So, do you throw yourself in the middle?

Damn right! Everyone knows the party doesn't start until I've arrive.

I tapped on the answer and wait for the next question.

So get this, you and your so-called-partner have had a special date night plan in the works for weeks. It was going to be at this posh restaurant and everything! Then, at the last minute, they suggest that the two of you should stay home and get a takeaway instead! I know I'd be slamming a door or two, but how would you react?

I rolled my eyes.

So dramatic. And that's coming from me. I barely go to those types of places. If anything, I would like to know why before making a decision. Same time, I really don't like canceling plans.

I select an answer, preparing for the last question.

Your friend just broke girl code...

For fucks sakes, Lottie.

...what do you do?

Since throw hands isn't an option. I'm gonna call her out.

After the final question, I get the results of my alleged personality. "The Avenging Angel, huh?" I read through the description and slowly put my phone down.

Oh...I guess it's not totally wrong.

"Dinner, coming up!" Tai's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

"Can't wait!" A thunderclap echoes around the room, getting me aroused. What? Did you guys forget I'm sexually attracted to thunder? Well, I am, and that's when I'm at my absolute horniest. The forecaster said this would be the wettest summer on record, and it's proving him right. I think for just a moment about last summer where rain was damn near nonexistent.

Tai walks in, carrying two plates of food with Tutu, the pampered princess pooch, strolling beside him. "Ta-da! Your amazing boyfriend has cooked a mushroom risotto fit for royalty."

"Ooh. Thanks, babe! It looks as hot as you."

"It's funny, you should say that. I actually based it on you."

"So, I look like mushy mushrooms?"

"Yep."

"Hey!" I playfully swat at him, smiling. He leans in with his lips pursed. I slip my hand in behind Tai's neck and pull him in towards me. Our lips lock. I feel his tongue against my own. Tai sets the plates on the table, freeing up his hand as they made their way across my lower back. Eventually, we pull apart.

"Food's getting cold..." Tai says.

"Seems pretty hot to me." Another thunderclap makes Tai jump. "Wow, it's coming down hard out there."

It's not the only one.

"We should really look at booking a holiday or something soon."

"Yeah, somewhere hot and sunny."

"I know, right. I can't even remember what it feels like to have the sun on my skin."

A familiar voice interrupts the two of us. We both turn to the TV. It's showing a trailer for a brand new series called Love in Space. The person playing the lead role is Rafi. He's fighting a hoard of reptilian monsters single-handedly. He's not wearing a shirt for some reason.

"I still can't believe it."

"I know! I only just got that scales pun..."

"Not that! I mean Rafi's starring in his own show now."

"Oh. Yeah, that's weird. Cool for him, though. Hey didn't he say he had a role for you?"

"Yeah, for season two if it gets picked up for one. But something tells me they are going to get a second season."

"You think so?"

"Going by the trailer, this show is futuristic, sci-fi softcore space porn with a plot. It's getting picked up."

The two of us take a seat and tuck into the meal. It was delicious. After eating, Tai reclined back into his chair. He kisses his fingers. "Mm-mmm! Compliments to the chef. Oh, wait, that's me!" He laughs. "Seriously, that meal was Tai-ight."

I facepalmed, frowning. "Babe...remember what I said about stopping when you're ahead?"

"But, I'm more than a head." He gestures to the rest of his body.

"Urgh!" I groaned.

"Hey, chill. I'm just joking around."

"And yet, you don't stop." Look, I don't mind Tai's jokes, but sometimes they do get excessive. As you can see, the smallest thing has set me off. That's how you know that the honeymoon stage has long passed. I sighed. "I'm sorry, but you just keep going."

"They're just jokes, though."

"It's not just that. You don't listen to me. It's like you're deaf or something." And that suddenly sets off a whole ass argument. 

"It's so hard to get you to change your mind once it's set!"

"It's not that it's hard to change my mind. You just don't give me any reason why I should!"

"And you're always trying to get me to say what's on my mind. But what if I don't want to?"

"Well excuuuse me for being considerate of your thoughts and feelings! I could just be selfish and not give a damn period. I guess being that we're in relationship, we shouldn't do the one thing that is important. Hmm, what was that word? Oh, yes. Communicate! So what, is that your way of telling me to shut up?"

"Oshun, no-"

"Should I learn sign language?"

"It's not-"

"Or better yet, I'll just become a fucking mime!" I start placing my hands in different spots around me. "Oh, look I'm in a box." Then I put my hands in front of me, doing a pulling motion. "Now, I'm pulling on a rope! And what's this?" I do a scissors motion with my index and middle finger." Here's some scissors to cut said rope and a grand fucking piano is going to fall on top of me!"

"Would you cut the dramatic crap for a minute!" This is the first time Tai blew up at me. "I am just saying let me keep some things in my head!"

Unlike the other arguments, this one didn't resolve itself. I felt something was about to change.

"I need to clear my head. I'm going to stay somewhere else tonight. I might be there for a while." Tai grabs a few things and walks out.

"Babe, wait. Don't..." The door slam echoes the flat. "...Go."

It has been hours, and I keep staring at my phone screen. He hasn't called. Same time, my stubborn ass didn't either. Those hours turned into days. Every time I come home, I don't see Tai's smiling face. Hell, I haven't seen him walk through the door. Before I knew it, the days turn into weeks. Neither of us didn't say anything to each other. There haven't been a night I haven't cried myself to sleep. During the days, I had to pretend I was OK, especially around my friends, co-workers, and family. Of course Shannon picked up on it when she, Priya, Chelsea, and I all had hanged out a while ago, so they know the sitch. I don't want anyone else to get wind of it until I know where Tai and I stand. We haven't officially broken up, though it feels like one. I try so hard to distract myself, but it doesn't help. And it really doesn't help I know Tai will be there on that boat. My thing is are we going to clear the air finally?

The taxi then takes the last bend, and I see the most luxurious yacht I've ever seen. 

Damn, that yacht is huge! How much did Nicky and Ella spent on this trip?!

Once the taxi has parked, I hopped out of the cab and a deep inhale.

Ah, the sweet smell of summer!

The driver helps me with unload my luggage. I pay him, and he drives away. I walk along the pier, checking out the scenery.

"Hello sunshine

Come into my life

Hello sunshine

Come into my life

In honesty it's been a while

Since we had reason left to smile

Hello sunshine

Come into my life."

It's not long before I see a familiar face looking at me from the other side of the pier.

"Oshun?!"

"Brother!" I run towards Seb, crying out joyfully. I wrapped my arms around him, and we hug it out for a moment.

"I've missed you, sis!"

"I know! I haven't seen you since my visit at your shop a while back. How are Doom and the little ones?"

"The kittens are all grown now. Doom's gone back to being Lord of the Underworld and Chin Scratches."

I go to say something else when something cold and wet rubs up against my leg. I look down and see Ciaran's dog curiously sniffing my shin.

"Kerry!"

"Oh yeah! Ciaran's onboard already making sure it's all dog safe. So I'm watching her in the meantime."

"Seems like she caught on to Tutu's scent. She such a curious girl."

"It's so sweet that he's brought her along. He told me it's to help him write or something. But I think he'd just miss her too much."

Kerry rolls onto her back, exposing her fluffy belly. "You better show her the respect she deserves. She's one of Ireland's most famous dogs now, after all. More followers than any of us!"
I bury my hands into the dog's soft, furry belly and begin to rub. Kerry moves excitedly, her tail thumping hard against the pier.

"Aww, she loves you." Seb chuckled.

"Who's a good girl? Is it you?" Her mouth goes wide, her tongue flops out. Her hind leg begins to jerk uncontrollably. She lets out a yap of happiness. I stop rubbing her belly. She jumps up and leans heavily against my leg.

"Friends for life now. She's never going to leave you alone."

"Good. Best dog."

"I'm telling Tutu."

"Shh! Don't!" 

Seb chuckled. "I'm glad you got her attention. She's been following me around all day."

"That doesn't sound too bad."

"Speak for yourself. I'm solely a cat person." Seb shakes his head. "Oh, Tai is already on board, by the way."

Dammit. I thought I would be here before him.

"I was a bit surprised you arrived separately, to be honest."

"Oh, um..." As I mentioned before, I hate having to keep things from my friends, but I do not want to talk about Tai and me. I notice Seb's arms are tatted. 

Perfect diversion.

"Nice ink." I pointed to his arms.

"Thanks. I love your new hair colour." Seb points to my hair. 

"Thanks. I've also have ink on me as well." I show off a flowery tattoo on my right shoulder with a banner that says 'True Love Forever'. My left forearm is a skull and dagger with the words 'Death Before Chastity'. And finally a sunflower garter tattoo on my right thigh.

"That's so you."

"I have another tattoo. It's on my back, though."

"I can't wait to see it. I bet it's class."

Before anything else is said, a voice comes over the yacht's loudspeaker.

"Hola, sailor!" Ella chirped. "We've got a busy schedule ahead of us, so if everyone can finish embarking, we can get on the way!"

"Oh, we better hurry up. We'll catch up properly on the ship, yeah?"

"For sure."

"I'll help you with your luggage." The two of us plus Kerry make our way onto the yacht.

-------

As I step foot on the deck, I see a familiar group of people, all mingling away and catching up with each other.

"Isn't this great? The whole gang's here!" Seb says. I saw Viv's talking to Iona. She sees us and waves. "I best see how Viv is getting on. Speak soon, yeah?" Seb head over to Viv. I made my rounds, catching up with almost everyone. But I'm also avoiding them because they keep asking me about Tai. Nicky and Ella emerge from the glassdoors.

"Oh, hey! If it isn't all of our friends." Nicky greeted. Kerry barks happily.

"Mate! How did you organize this whole thing?" Bill asked.

"I'd like to say through the power of my massive brain. But I honestly just did the easy stuff. Elladine did most of the planning."

"Let's just say Nicky has a slightly more freewheeling approach to plans. But we're glad you all could make it for this holiday!" Everyone gives a cheer. "Obviously, the group chat and video calls have been lovely, but I've really missed hanging out in person. I've got a full itinerary planned out too!"

While those two kept talking, I noticed that Tai is nowhere to be seen. I didn't have much time to think about this before Nicky and Ella approach me.

"Oshun! So good to see you again." Ella hugged me.

"It's good to be seen." I said.

"We noticed that Tai arrived before you." Nicky looks at me intently. 

"Is everything OK?" I can hear the worry in Ella's voice.

Seriously? Not even a how have you been? Like I literally just stepped on the fucking boat! They better not nag me about this the entire trip.

"Peachy. Just peachy," I said, lying through my smile. Ella looks at me, concern on her face. "OK, lovey, well, you just shout if you need anything."

"Yeah, sure, hun." I made a hasty retreat, helping myself to the mimosas.

--------

I head over to the dining area. Seb, Viv, and Iona stand over a bowl of Spanish oranges, chatting away. 

"Here's Oshun!" Seb announced.

"Yeah, here I am..." I said before hugging Viv.

"Sorry, I pulled Seb away from you. It's so good seeing you again! And this hair! I'm living!" Viv says.

"Thanks, babes. What were you guys talking about?"

"I was congratulating the big star over here on his rise to fame." Iona gestures to Seb. "Most sought after person out of all of us. What's your secret?"

"To ignore every interview request and sulk the whole time if you end up in one accidentally." 

"Genius! It gives off that bad boy vibe you're now known for."

"His new tattoos don't hurt, either," Viv asked.

"Actually, they hurt a lot."

"Really? I literally have a tattoo here, here, on my back and thigh. They didn't hurt." I said.

"The one on your back is probably small," Iona says.

"No, it's from my shoulder blades to my lower back." The three widen their eyes.

"You must have a high pain tolerance," Seb says. I shrug. "Anyway, everyone here knows that my brother is the sweetest."

"Yet he's still crafted this whole broody goth persona. It's great." Iona says. "I'm just trying to enjoy life without hurting anyone. Wow, that sounded cheesy." 

"What have you been up to, Iona?" Seb asked.

"Yeah, all those tours around schools seem intense!" Viv chimed.

"Oh, it's nothing, really." Iona says.

"That's actually a good thing."

"Aw thanks.  It feels so good to do."

"How did you get into that?" Viv asked.

"I  guess it was when my social media started getting loads more attention. Many girls were leaving comments on my posts like I didn't realize I could do that kind of job. It feels really good."

"I totally get that. I was inspired by this group called Girls in Science when I was a kid. Look at me now, I'm changing the world."

"Speaking of changing, Sinderella." Iona points at me.

"Woah, you actually did it?" Viv gasped.

"Yep. Though I think it's kind of a waste to use a stage name since people still recognize me from the show."

"Awesome. I have to catch a show at some point."

"I would chat more, but I need to make sure I didn't forget to pack something. See you dolls in a bit!" Iona dashes off to her cabin. Viv and Seb kept chatting, and I remained quiet for most of the conversation, sipping on mimosas. I still haven't seen Tai yet.

Probably avoiding me as much as he can.

"Hey, Oshun... Is everything OK? You seem a little off." Seb asked.

"What are you talking about? I'm fine. Honest."

"Oshun, that's bullshit, and you know it. You've been pretty dodgy since you got here. And you chugged, like, seven flutes of mimosas."

"Well, what's this then?" There's anger and irritability in my voice. "You keeping tabs on me now? Is this attack Oshun day?!" I slammed the flute down on the table nearby. 

"Woah, Oshun! Calm down!" Seb's eyes widen.

"This sounds serious. I'll give you guys some space to talk." Viv quickly exits the dining hall.

"Seb, I'm sorry for snapping like that. It's just...all I hear right now is 'Where's Tai?' 'Is he OK?' 'Am I OK?' And honestly, I don't know! Like y'all have seen Tai already, go ask him if he's ok. As far as I go..." I trail off, shrugging. "One thing's for sure, I'm not ready to talk about it."

"Wait, is this the first time you'll be seeing Tai?" I nod. "Damn...That's rough. I'm so sorry to hear you're in this situation. But understand I'm not attacking you, Oshun. I'm just worried about you. It's odd seeing you walking around with an angsty air instead of being cheerful. I know I'm not the cuddliest of people..." He takes my hand. "But if there's anything you need, even if it's just an emergency hug or to see pictures of kittens. I'm here for you. You're my best friend and sibling for life and I care about you a lot."

"Thanks, Brother." I shoot him a smile. "Well, I'd better drop my stuff off at my cabin. I'll chat with you later."

"Right, see you."