Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandoms:
Language:
English
Collections:
Tommy in trouble
Stats:
Published:
2020-10-10
Updated:
2023-05-10
Words:
12,069
Chapters:
9/14
Comments:
11
Kudos:
47
Bookmarks:
3
Hits:
467

To live in fear

Chapter Text

 

 

Richie could sense the presence of another immortal as he opened the door of the DaSalvo Dojo. Duncan Macleod paused for just a minute to glance at his student before returning to the complicated kata he was running through. Richie leaned against a wall, watching until Duncan was done. "Hey, Richie."

"Hey," Richie replied.

Duncan snagged a towel off a set of weights. He used it to wipe sweat from his face. Throwing the towel over his shoulders, he asked, "Did something happen?"

"I think I made a friend," Richie said, then went on in a rush. "Mac, it was so odd."

"Making a friend?"

"No..." Richie paused and Duncan waited, knowing Richie was gathering his thoughts. "This guy, maybe sixteen or seventeen came up and corrected my footing. Said his name was Tommy Oliver. We ended up sparring and... Mac, he was good. I mean really good, at least for a mortal. But he was odd. He wore long sleeves on a hot day and seemed scared of something."

"How so?" Duncan pressed gently.

"He acted as if being late getting home was terrifying." Richie paused, then rushed on. "I thought I saw bruises on his arm when his shirt slipped."

Duncan's face darkened like a thundercloud covering the sun. He said a few words in Gaelic that let Richie know exactly what he thought, even if Richie didn't speak Gaelic at all.

"I invited him to come here to train," Richie said softly. "Mac, I had some horrible foster homes, but I was never as scared as Tommy seemed."

"Do you think he will come?" Duncan asked.

"Honestly, I don't know."

"Tomorrow, you and I are going to the park together," Duncan said flatly.

---

Next morning

Tommy shut the math book he was trying to study out of. Rain beat down on the roof. It reminded him of another rainstorm on the day his world had gone wrong. Also, how could he get strong if he couldn’t practice? A memory surfaced. Hadn't that guy Richie mentioned a Dojo?

Jumping up, Tommy searched his pockets. For a moment, he despaired of finding the card. When he found it, Tommy hesitated. Going out when it was sunny was risky as it was. If it was raining and he got wet, Chris would know he had been out and it would mean another beating

--he'll beat you anyway—

Finally, Tommy grabbed his jacket. If Chris was going to beat him anyway, Tommy could at least get in a workout.

--

Duncan Macleod stepped out of the dojo’s opening. The young man who stepped in hesitated, as if he might turn and run. "Tommy?" Duncan was almost positive this was the kid Richie had met in the park.

"I-- uh, how do you know my name?" Tommy asked.

"Richie's my student." Duncan took in the teen's pale features. A bruise peeked out from beneath his collar and his right arm was badly swollen. Duncan thought the arm might actually be broken and wondered how the kid was using it.

"He said I could practice here?" Tommy ventured.

"Not a problem. I have work to do in the office if you need anything." Duncan gestured to the office.

"Thanks um..."

"Duncan MacLeod."

"Thanks, Mr. MacLeod."

Duncan did go into the office, but didn't work. He watched Tommy through the office window, watched Tommy's attempts to run through a kata. It was obvious that the kid was in a lot of pain. Richie was right; Tommy was probably being abused. By who and how bad was something that Duncan intended to find out.

Tommy stopped after a while and leaned against the wall. He was tired and sweating. Duncan stepped out of the office and regarded the teen. "Do you want a shower?"

Tommy nodded and looked at the floor. "I will take one when I get home."

"You can take one here," Duncan said and pointed to the Dojo's shower. "I'll get you a towel."

-

Richie stepped into the dojo five minutes later, just as Duncan stepped out of the elevator holding a towel. They both relaxed when they saw that the immortal they had sensed was a friend. "Tommy came. He's in the shower."

Duncan tossed the towel over to Richie, who caught it easily. Richie nodded and went to take his new friend the towel. Stepping into the shower room, he froze.

Tommy hadn't pulled the privacy curtain all the way shut. He stood with his back to the room, letting the water pour over him. His shoulders were slumped and he seemed exhausted. It wasn't Tommy’s nakedness that made Richie freeze in horror, his heart leaping into his throat...

It was Tommy's back! The only comparison Richie's horrified mind had was a scene in a movie called “Roots” when a character had been lashed. Lash marks crossed Tommy's back, some old, some fresh. A couple of them looked like they might well be infected. Bruises from what could only be punches dotted his back as well. "Oh, god," Richie blurted.

Tommy half-turned and Richie realized with a sinking heart that he had bruises on his chest as well. "Richie!" Tommy gasped eyes wide, for a moment they just stared at each other.

Richie moved first, holding the towel out. "Here," he said with his voice shaking. Tommy took the towel slowly. Richie backed away and fled the room.

Duncan caught him as he darted into the main area. "Richie, it's okay."

"No! it's not!" the younger immortal blurted, tears blurring his vision. "He's been beaten, Mac! Badly! Why would anyone-- WHY?"

"I don't know," Duncan whispered, pulling Richie into a hug.

-

Tommy came out five minutes later. Richie had managed to get himself under control. "I should go," Tommy said

"We have to talk first." Duncan stated simply.

"I don't--"

"Who beat you?" Duncan demanded.

"I fell," Tommy whispered, repeating what Chris told him he was to say if anyone asked.

"Nope," Duncan shot back. "Try again."

Tommy shot a look at the clock. He REALLY needed to leave! The longer he stayed, the more of a chance that Chris would find out. "I REALLY need to go home now!"

"...after you answer me." Duncan didn't back down.

"You won't believe me. My parents didn't believe me, so why should you?" Tommy whispered.

The Highlander looked the teen in the eyes. "Try me, Tommy. You would be... surprised at what I will believe"

Tommy looked from Richie to Duncan. Could he trust them? He hardly knew these people, while friends and family he had known for years had not believed him. Jason had not even listened. It didn't matter, he decided. He knew how this story went.

"My Uncle... he's my guardian. He beats me when I don't do what he wants," Tommy shuddered, then continued. "I don't like what he wants to do, so I try to stop him. He's better than me, though, and in the end he gets what he wants. I told mom and dad that he had molested me as a kid. I told them and they still made me his ward!"

Tommy wiped tears from his eyes. He looked at Duncan, who regarded the teen through narrowed eyes. Tommy nodded. It was exactly what he had thought. He turned and opened the Dojo door.

Duncan caught Tommy, turned the boy around, and pulled him against his chest. "Never! You are never going to be hurt by him again! Not if I can help it!"

"You believe me?" Tommy began to sob hard.

"Yes," Duncan replied softy.

"Chris will kill me..." Tommy began.

"You can stay here," Richie spoke up. "You don't ever have to go back."

"Pictures, in my room. My sister's picture. Mom and dad’s. They’re all that I have," Tommy pulled back. “I have to get them,"

"Then WE will get them," Richie stated. "Together, we’ll get them."