Actions

Work Header

Broken Homes

Summary:

An AU story. Team Nikita is on the run from Amanda, the Dirty Thirty, and The Shop. It's up to their adult children to save the world.

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

“Jamie, can you hold my hair back?” Despite her team fuming at her, Pj Mears-Bishop flashed an innocent smile that sparkled her deep green eyes. James Pierce was powerless to resist her. He did as she asked (with a slight roll of his hazel eyes), gently taking hold of her dark hair. She threw a wink at her team, which only infuriated them more, before sticking her fingers down her throat. 

“Oh okay. We’re doing this now,” Kara Pierce covered her piercing blue eyes, her long blonde hair aiding in covering her sight. Pj ignored her as she forcibly vomited into the trash. The electronic chip she had swallowed came up with the bile, clanking in the can. Although he turned away at the vomit, James continued to hold her hair and even rubbed her back a little as she heaved. The others were glaring in disgust and anger.

Pj was very good at pretending none of them were there. She wiped her fingers and her mouth on her tee shirt, then whipped off the stained fabric to reveal bruised bronze skin. She was able to toss the tee without a glance into Max Ovechkin’s face. He caught it skillfully, fed up with his sister’s bullshit, “Do I even need to get into it?”

“I don’t know Maxi-Pad. That’s up to you,” Shrugging, Pj reached into the trash can. She pulled out the chip, delicately pinched between two fingers, “Now if you’ll excuse me. I need to clean this before I give it to Nerdette.”

“Thank you,” Felicity Birkhoff chimed in from her hacker station. She pushed her glasses back on her tanned nose, after having taken them off so she wouldn’t see the vomit. She hadn’t been out in the field with the others. Her role as the superior tech expert kept her safely inside the safehouse, while the team was out kicking ass. Because of that, she wasn’t quite sure what made them so angry at Pj. Felicity had only heard snippets over the coms. Pj swallowed the evidence to keep it safe. As far as the hacker was concerned, she hadn’t necessarily done anything wrong.

Pj smiled adoringly at Felicity. Rapidly, she turned to Max with a pointed glare. He huffed and rolled his eyes. Kara, who had recovered from her shock over Pj’s action, stopped her from leaving the room, “Seriously, Pj. We have to talk about this.”

“Why? We got what we needed. We saved the day. And we’re not an actual unit, so there’s no need to debrief,” Her movements to leave Kara’s hold were quick and effortless. It was a brief showcase of what she could do out in the field. Pj was, in a word, dangerous. She was lightning fast in both action and thought. She could strategize with the best of them, as well as improvise. Her stint with the electronic chip was a stroke of genius, which not only saved the op but also the team. It wasn’t a rare occurrence for Pj. However, the other events of the mission were completely off book and unprecedented. No one was happy with it, except for maybe her.

Oliver Pierce was losing his patience. Unlike his sister, he wasn’t going to play nice. His dark blue eyes alight with irritation, he marched over to Pj and grabbed her roughly by the arm, “Will you stop it for one damn second.”

James stepped towards his brother, slightly afraid of what Pj would do in retaliation. Instead of fighting him off like she had Kara, she slammed the puke covered chip into his chest and cleaned her fingers on his shirt, “Okay. You can clean it Ollie.”

He cursed as he let her go. Pj laughed lightly, moving away from the group and towards Felicity and the computers. She’d need support for when things turned ugly, which they were about to. She was aware of how much they hated what she had done. Her team had a grossly righteous moral compass. They had to operate strictly in the gray. Yes what they did was illegal at times, but it was for the right reasons. And they never went into the black. Pj did that mission without any regrets. If they were going to complete their goal, there were some boundaries they had to push. 

Eyes turned to James. He had always been the one to get through to her in the past. Running a hand through his chestnut hair, he thought of the best words to say, “The chip idea was smart. You’re a great leader out in the field. It’s just. And no one’s blaming you. But what you did to those men…”

“Was the right course of action,” Fire burning in her green eyes, Pj interrupted. She crossed her arms tightly, regardless of the stinging bruises, and lifted her chin in haughty defiance. It was easy to forget how young she was. After what had happened ten years prior, she had to grow up fast. But it was in moments like that, that her true age shone. 

As did Felicity’s, as she studied Pj with curious and worried brown eyes and asked in a small voice, “What did you do?”

“The one thing we swore we wouldn’t,” Although his inflection was full of acid, Oliver was softer towards Felicity- like he always was.

The laugh that erupted out of Pj was drastically more bitter than her previous one. It frightened her team, “So when Kara shoots someone it’s okay.”

“It was to save my life,” Max neared his stubborn sister. Holding securely to his hand, Kara pulled him back. She shook her head slightly. Maybe they just needed to let Pj rant it out for a second. She’d calm down and then they could talk some sense into her. Hesitantly, Max relented. Kara was usually right about those sorts of things.

“Alright. I’ll give you that. And I’ll give you that no one yelled at me when I stabbed the… the man who touched me,” Pj fell silent at the memory. They all did. The team had seen some dark things on their missions. Neither their bodies, not their minds had ever really come out without scarring. She pushed forward with her point, straightening her shoulders, “But when I kill a bunch of Shop goons, who would love to see the world burn, suddenly I’m the bad guy.”

“You’re not the bad guy, Piper,” Despite Oliver nodding in agreement to Pj’s statement, James was gentle. She eased at his words, relaxing as he approached her.

Max, however, had to dig it in. Maybe it was a brother thing, or an oldest thing. Either way, he snapped, “But is it really what our parents would’ve done?”

Kara was the first to react. She let go of Max’s hand, giving him one of her best glares. Felicity gasped, and backed her chair safely away from Pj. Oliver clamped his mouth shut, knowing he couldn’t say anything worse than that. And James laid soothing hands on Pj while attempting to keep her still. She ignored all of them; her sights were on her brother. Just like lightning, her furious fist connected with his jaw and he collapsed. No one went to help him.

“They would’ve done it without a second thought. But it doesn’t even matter. They’re not fucking here!” She was right. Their parents weren’t there. They had no idea where they were. As far as the group was concerned, their parents were long gone and never coming back. 

Twenty-three years before then, the Dirty Thirty New Division had been chasing teamed up with the Shop. The two evil forces raided the black ops unit, destroying them and forcing them to scatter. Their parents hid out together, working in the shadows to save the world. However, things went south fast about ten years prior to the kids’ current situation. The parents scattered, leaving their children behind with Ryan Fletcher and Owen Elliot to keep them safe.

The Pierce triplets were thirteen at the time. Felicity was twelve. And Pj was nine. Ryan helped raise them, teaching them how to make the world a better place. Owen, on the other hand, taught them to fight and to survive. Max had been in hiding with his mother during all of that drama, but when he turned eighteen she told him everything about his parents' slice of the spy life. She went to help his father, hoping he would take her words as caution and stay out of it. Instead, he ran off to help them save the world.

When the kids all became adults (more or less), Ryan and Owen’s presence in their lives lessened. The men were still around to assist them, but they had gone off on their own missions more frequently. The group of the then twenty-somethings, and one teenager, decided they weren’t going to continue shying away from the fight. They were going to end it once and for all; they were going to bring their families back together.

That was two years ago. Two years of fighting and missions that were getting them nowhere. Frustration was high, and patience was wearing thin. The electronic chip they had recovered was their first solid lead in taking down the big bads in months. The team should have been celebrating, instead they were arguing. Pj stood over Max for a moment, her breath coming in angry huffs. She made up her mind over the situation suddenly, and stepped on his stomach as she stormed off.

“Pj. Please. We really should talk,” Kara called gently after her. 

Pj turned to face her team. Max was getting to his feet, seemingly apologetic for his harsh words to his sister. Felicity had gotten out of her chair, and took openminded steps towards her. Oliver finally softened his gaze, a slight smile on his full lips. And James’ hazel eyes held onto her green, wishing she would simply hear them out. Pj scoffed at all of them, while she went out the door, “Talk amongst yourselves. I’m done.”

Possibly going rogue from her team, she did what any Mears-Bishop did best. It was going to be a whole other mission to get her back.