Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Mal tourney au
Stats:
Published:
2020-08-02
Completed:
2021-01-22
Words:
29,792
Chapters:
4/4
Comments:
44
Kudos:
313
Bookmarks:
46
Hits:
6,571

Who needs a crown, when you can wear a helmet?

Summary:

Mal never backs down from a challenge, and playing tourney on the same team as Chad not-so Charming was definitely a challenge. Whoever said girls can’t play sports never met Mal.

Notes:

It's finally here! 😄 I've been hyping this up for months so I really hope you guys like it, this fic is my baby and I've worked so hard on it. I have another ot4 fic that's almost ready and there will be more roadtrip fic chapters posted...eventually!

My other ot4 fic The Origin of Baby Dragon just passed 1000 views and that makes me super happy so thank you! Let me know what you think, kudos and comments are always greatly appreciated!

Massive shoutout to @telli1206 (on tumblr) for beta'ing this chapter and being so enthusiastic about this! Without further ado, here's the first chapter! 💙💙

Chapter 1: This is my game and you better come to play

Chapter Text

aesthetic created by me

After the chaos of coronation and the skillful way  the VK’s saved everyone (Mal and Jay make a point to mention it every chance they get), they had all won themselves a good group of allies. Evie had gotten a chance to put her sewing machine to work, making new outfits for her loves, and being commissioned for even more pieces by nearly everyone in their class. To say they were proud of Evie would be an understatement. She was taking Auradon by storm, leaving an Evie original in every closet. Joining the sewing club was inevitable; her schedule always jam packed.

 

Jay was wrapped up in tourney practice, only getting more and more intense with the sport. After every game he came strutting back, preening under the praise he had received. Carlos fawned over his spectacular abs, Evie fussed over how dirty his uniform had become, and Mal feigned indifference. Jay knew how to read her, could see the smile she tried to hide as she rolled her eyes. If only he could convince her to join him on the team, the two of them together would be deadly.

 

Carlos had quickly come to the conclusion that tourney was not for him. He’d tried to push through, pretend he liked it - he didn’t want to disappoint Jay. Evie caught on first, pulled him close and traced soft patterns over his shoulders. His anxiety instantly eased, and he told her in a whispered confession. Evie held his hand as he told Jay and Mal he wanted to quit, unable to meet Jay’s gaze, his head hung low. All three had spent several hours reassuring their pup and reiterating how they were so proud of him for not letting the anxiety overpower him. Mal casually told him about the robotics team she signed him up for, one she’d specifically asked Ben for information on. Carlos had tugged her into an eager kiss before she could finish, murmuring ‘thank yous’ against her lips and painting scarlet across her cheeks. 

 

Clubs weren’t Mal’s thing. She’d declined Ben’s offer of joining the art club. Decorating lockers was much more fun. Mal was still learning to be social, not fully comfortable with all of the forced interactions. Their dorm room was her safe haven; Ben had kindly arranged for the four to share a dorm (it saved them sneaking in every night) and Mal, though she’d never admit it aloud, was incredibly grateful. The other three would all stumble back, arriving at different times to find Mal lying on the bed, spell book in hand as she tried out different incantations. Evie’s favourite were the little blue flames that Mal would dance above her fingertips. Sometimes they’d find her sketching by the window, or curled up on the couch with Dude laying at her feet. Always and without fail, if Mal wasn’t with any of them she’d be in their dorm room, ready to greet them with fond smiles and kissing them as though they’d been away for years. 

 

Coaxing Mal outside was one thing, but convincing her to become part of a team was a whole new entity. 

 

But they are from The Isle, and they’ll be damned if they stand idly by whilst Mal sinks further into her anxiety. A healthy dose of scheming and a splash of plotting was all they needed to come up with a master plan; getting Mal to open up wasn’t easy, but they are nothing if not determined. Scheming with good intentions isn’t evil, right?!

 


 

A rough shake is what pulls Mal from her peaceful slumber. She opens one eye groaning into her pillow as he comes into view. Jay stands over her, grinning like the Cheshire cat. 

 

"What the fuck?!" 

 

Jay tuts mockingly, "Language, babe."

 

Mal narrows her eyes fixing him with a heated glare, tiredness keeping it from having the full effect. 

 

"Why are you still up?" 

 

"Couldn't sleep," he shrugs, looking away to avoid the concerned gaze he knows is there. 

 

Mal sits up slowly detangling herself from between Carlos's arms. He rolls over draping his arm over Evie to make up for the loss. Jay leans against the bedpost, smiling as Mal crawls closer. She yawns, eyes softening as she stares up at him. 

 

"I have a sleep gummy in my bag." 

 

Jay swoops down and places a soft kiss on her lips. He pulls back with a grin. Mal scrunches her nose and gives him a crooked smile. 

 

"What was that for?" 

 

"Felt like it," Jay tucks some hair behind her ear, "You're so cute."

 

Mal huffs and shoves his shoulder, "Shut up, I am not."

 

Jay laughs, catching her hand and using it to pull her closer, "I need you to come somewhere with me."

 

"Do you know what time it is?" she pulls his arm closer, groaning at the time on his watch. "It's 2am dipshit. What could we possibly have to do at this time?!"

 

He holds up his tourney gear and wiggles his eyebrows, "C'mon Mal, let's break some rules."

 

Mal's face lights up, eyes shining with mirth. 

 

"Let's do this." She rubs her hands together. 

 

Jay pumps his fist and holds out his hand to help her off. Mal accepts the hand, letting Jay pull her to her feet. She tiptoes over to their closet, rooting through until she finds the spare helmet Carlos had forgotten to return, and throws on the nearest clothes she can find,which happen to be a pair of faded grey sweatpants and a well worn lilac hoodie with little dragon scales on each arm. It's a little baggy and falls just shy of Mal's knee, but Evie made it especially for her, and Mal would be damned if she turned down an Evie original. 

 

Jay let's his gaze roam over her, humming appreciatively - Evie knew how to make casual wear look unique. He can feel more than hear Mal's foot tapping, and meets her gaze with a shameless smirk. 

 

"Stop staring weirdo." Mal hisses, thankful the room is dark enough he can't see her blush. 

 

He holds his hands up in surrender and they make their way across the room. Jay's hand closes around the handle when they hear rustling. Mal whips around cursing as Evie yawns leaning up to survey them. Jay gulps, attempting to shuffle his gear out of view. 

 

"Where are you going?" Evie whispers, voice laced with sleep. 

 

Mal glances at Jay and then back to Evie, in a split second she's crossing the room and stopping to crouch down beside Evie. 

 

"We'll be back soon Princess," Mal gently pushes her shoulders until she lies down again. 

 

Evie hums letting her eyes flutter shut. Mal moves some hair off of her face and kisses her forehead, smiling as Evie lets out a content sigh. 

 

"Go back to sleep E."

 

Mal presses a kiss to Evie's nose, and is rewarded with a soft giggle. Evie opens one eye and pokes Mal's cheek. 

 

"Don't cause any trouble." 

 

"We won't." Mal sing-songs. 

 

Evie hums her disbelief but sinks back into the pillows and pulls Carlos in tighter. She's lulled back into the world of sleep as soon as the door closes. 

 

Jay smirks leading the way as they creep along the hallway. They silently creep through the carpeted hallways, quickly scurrying around corners as they make their way to the entrance. Jay looks around, and once he confirms there's no one in sight, rolls across the floor like a ninja. Mal rolls her eyes at his dramatics and races after him. Mal huffs, trying to pick up her pace, but tiredness kicks in, and she's barely able to keep up with Jay as they approach the door. She'll have to thank him later for sensing what she needs, effortlessly scooping her into his arms and carrying her bridal style through the courtyard. Mal grips the tourney gear, deciding not to use it as a pillow and instead rests her head on Jay's chest. 

 

"Don't fall asleep." 

 

Mal waves a hand, nestling in closer into Jay as she speaks, "I'm just resting my eyes."

 

He chuckles brushing some hair from her face. Simply adorable.  

 

They approach the tourney field unscathed, and Jay sets Mal down. She shakes her head and stretches, striding around as she let's the crisp air pull her out of her slumber. Jay sets up the machines, the rumble of cogs flaring up. 

 

When he jogs back to Mal she's pulling on her helmet. He leans down to help her secure it and steals another kiss in the process. Mal pulls back shoving his shoulder with a wild grin. 

 

"Are we gonna play or what?!" 

 

Jay grabs a stick and tosses one to Mal. Then they're off, speeding down the field and tossing the ball back and forth. Jay spins around, sending the ball spiralling through the air. Mal catches it with ease, sending it back with lightning speed. 

 

They go back and forth for a few minutes, throwing and catching the ball. Jay catches every one and sends them hurtling across the field as Mal leaps to catch them. 

 

"This is too easy." Mal cajoles as she catches yet another throw. 

 

Jay taps his finger to his chin and looks around, gaze falling on the supply shed. It was asking to be used. Mal quickly catches on, and with a flick of her fingers the lock snaps open. They walk back armed with training dummies and set them up in different positions. 

 

"I need to work on my passes and dodges," Jay explains as he sets up the last dummy, "you ready?" 

 

Mal grabs the ball and sets up her stick, turning to Jay with a smug smirk.

 

"I'm going to wipe the floor with you." Mal teases, sprinting away with the ball. 

 

It doesn't take Jay long to get the ball back, catching up to Mal in two long strides and plucking the ball from her grasp. Mal races after him, ducking between dummies and dancing over the lines. Jay tosses the ball and slides along the grass, narrowly missing the blast of projectiles as he approaches the kill zone. Mal is hot on his heels as she sprints after the ball, scooping it and lunging to the side to avoid her own blast. Jay jumps, spinning in the air to catch her pass. Mal times her movements to the projectile blasts, sprinting down the field and sliding under every rocket launched. 

 

Jay launches the ball forward, ducking and diving around each dummy and circling back. Mal works in perfect parallel with him, ducking as he dives and jumping as he slides. They never miss a pass, and power through the kill zone every time. Where Jay does back-flips Mal does rolls, her small frame easily sliding under the projectile fire and speeding down the field without a scratch. They reach the end of the field and collapse next to one another, taking in some much needed breaths. 

 

"This game is insane." Mal croaks out between laughs. 

 

Jay shifts to lie on his side, brushing a sweaty strand of hair from his face. 

 

"We should do this more often."

 

Mal shifts so she's mirroring Jay's position. Her eyes sparkle a deep green, her smile so soft and carefree. 

 

"How could Carlos give this up?! I feel amazing!"

 

"Our Pup's a nerd," Jay shrugs and clamps a hand on her shoulder, "you've been holding out on me babe. You’re a little firecracker."

 

Mal brushes some imaginary dirt from her shoulders and laughs softly. Jay chuckles and lightly shoves her arm. 

 

"I'm serious, our team would be so much better if you played with us."

 

She starts to respond when the machine’s whirring cuts off and an angry voice replaces it.

 

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!”

 

“Ah shit.” Jay springs up, pulling Mal to her feet. 

 

The figure draws closer, and they both gulp shrinking back under the glare they receive. Coach stands before them, arms folded, a thunderous expression taking over his features. Jay grabs Mal’s arm and pulls her behind him, turning back to Coach with unease. 

 

“Uh, hi Coach. We were-” 

 

The man holds up a hand, gaze shifting between the two. Mal stands behind Jay, her green eyes flashing in warning. He looks at Jay, body stiff and stoic placed in front of her as he stares back at the man with a fierceness like he’s never seen. The man steps back holding his hands up. He clears his throat and looks around Jay to address Mal directly.

 

“That was an impressive performance.” 

 

Mal scrunches her nose, glancing at Jay to make sure she heard correctly. Coach shakes his head, continuing with passion. 

 

“In all my years as Coach I have never seen anything quite like it,” he claps his hands and nods his head, “I want you on my team.” 

 

“Wait - what?!” Mal’s jaw drops, unable to hide her shock - the words coming out in a whisper. 

 

Jay raises his brows, mouth forming a small ‘o’ shape. He looks to Mal seeing a similar expression mirrored on her face. 

 

“I’ll give you a few days to think it over,” Coach carries on, undeterred by their silence, “but please think about it. You'd be an asset to the team."

 

Mal nods stiffly, mind racing as she struggles to keep her composure. Jay wraps an arm around her shoulder, subtly rubbing his thumb over her collarbone. She softens, relaxing under his touch. 

 

"We should get back," Jay gestures behind him, "let's go Mal."

 

They're halfway across the field when Coach's voice calls out to them. His voice tinged with amusement.

 

"I'll see you both in detention. Tomorrow, 4:30."

 

Mal curses, smacking Jay in the chest and shaking her head. He shrugs with an awkward laugh - it could've been worse. She sighs, pursing her lips as she attempts to glare at him. Jay sniggers and bumps her shoulder. Mal shoves him and starts to laugh, the reality of the situation setting in. 

 

"Only you could get a detention and be asked to join a team at the same time."

 

Mal snorts, "What can I say, I'm gifted."

 

Jay laughs, ruffling her hair. She growls, snapping her teeth and shoving him in the chest. He takes off, jogging away from her and laughing all the way. Mal easily catches up to him and tackles him in a hug. Not that she'd admit it was a hug, but Jay knows, dramatically gasping as her arms tighten around his waist. 

 

They walk back to the dorm room with Mal draped around Jay's waist. She leads the way to the bathroom, careful not to wake the other two as they slip into the room. Mal locks the door and shoves Jay backwards with a mischievous smirk. Their shower is big enough for the four of them, giving Jay plenty of room to pin Mal to the wall. It's rare for Mal to give up control, and Jay can't help but take advantage. His hands move to her hips, Mal's finding purchase on his shoulders. 

 

After a much longer shower than planned they make their way back to the bedroom. Jay tosses Mal one of his shirts and slips into the bed beside Carlos, arm draping over his stomach. Mal shrugs it on and curls in beside Evie. 

 

She stirs in Mal's arms, blinking sleepily up at her. "Took you long enough."

 

Mal hums and gives her lips a light peck. Evie smiles, pulling back at a tap on her shoulder. Jay leans across and kisses her softly. 

 

"Sorry Princess, this one just can't keep her hands off of me." 

 

Mal scoffs and shoves his shoulder. Evie rolls her eyes, gently pushing them both back down. "Go to sleep."

 

Jay gives her a mock salute, Mal smirks, both chorusing a "yes ma'am." 

 


 

Mal knows exactly who to blame, Chad not-so Charming, with his obnoxious smile and dismissive tone. She hadn't wanted to be there, yet somehow with a pout of perfectly plump lips Mal had allowed Evie to coax her out of their dorm room. She took to sketching in the stands, pointedly ignoring every loud cheer or chant of a player's name. Listening to prissy princesses fawn over Auradon's royalty was not Mal's idea of fun. Though her gaze drifts to the field every time Jay’s name is mentioned. 

 

Evie sat beside her, beaming from ear to ear, entranced with the action on the field. Carlos is on Mal’s other side, much more content to be sitting in the stands. Mal's focus ripped away from her sketch (which just so happened to be a rather comical image of Chad shrieking at one of the gorillas on the opposing team) at a tap to her wrist. Her gaze drifts up, lips tugging into a soft smile at the excitement radiating on Evie's face.

 

"Jay’s about to score!"

 

Mal slams her sketchbook shut, a wicked grin almost splitting her face. She leans forward practically at the edge of her seat, her gaze for the first time since the game began turning to the pitch. Evie jumps up clapping and loudly whopping.

 

"Go Jay! Yeah!!"

 

Several people in the crowd turn scrunching their noses up at Evie, but she pays them no mind. Mal glares at every one of them, a stare so cold it could rival her mother's. A satisfied smirk tugs at her lips when they gulp, whipping their heads back around in lightning speed. 

 

Jay leaps over people, running at full speed and slamming the ball into the net. The crowd goes wild as he begins his familiar victory dance, flipping and twirling to his own beat. His eyes scan the crowd, locking into the faces he loves so much. They run down the stands, shoving people out of the way. Evie is the first to reach Jay, giggling as he takes her into his arms and spins her around. 

 

"Did you see that?!" Jay exclaims, putting Evie down and pulling Carlos into a tight hug. 

 

"You were freaking awesome, dude." Carlos insists. 

 

Jay flips his hair over his shoulder and levels him with a smug smirk. His gaze lands on Mal, standing there trying to hide her smile with an air of indifference. He drapes an arm across her shoulder, batting his eyelashes at her. 

 

Mal rolls her eyes, making a show of sighing as she inspects her nails, "you were pretty good, I guess."

 

Jay juts his lip out and pokes her side, "aw c'mon, you can tell me how amazing I am."

 

"I can't compliment you all the time. Your ego's barely tolerable as is." Mal deadpans, letting out a loud cackle at his mock hurt expression. 

 

He narrows his eyes playfully and charges at her, Mal slowly backs away taking off in a sprint as Jay shouts after her. 

 

"Don't run from my love Mal!" 

 

Evie shakes her head, resting her arm on Carlos's shoulder as they watch Mal and Jay run around like dorks. Jay scoops Mal into his arms, hugging her tight and peppering kisses across her face. She mindlessly bats at him, rolling her eyes but smiling when he hugs her from behind walking them back over to Evie and Carlos, and completely ignoring all the strange looks they receive. 

 

"Ugh fine," Mal chuckles softly, "your game was amazing."

 

Jay smiles and kisses her cheek, "close enough."

 

Mal nuzzles into his touch, perfectly content with Jay's arms wrapped around her waist. 

 

"We need to celebrate," Evie says, clapping her hands together. 

 

Carlos taps his finger to his chin, "I'm thinking pizza and a cuddle session."

 

Jay goes to speak, cut off at a familiar sneer behind him. All of their gazes turn to grimaces as the voice gets louder. 

 

Chad stands with some of his tourney teammates and Audrey hanging off his arm. 

 

"Well of course we won, we finally got rid of the dead weight." Chad sneers, letting out an obnoxiously fake chuckle. 

 

Carlos rolls his eyes, brushing the insult off. It's not as though he cares what Chad had to say. Evie grips his hand, interlacing their fingers and keeping him close. Jay's jaw tenses and he takes a step closer to the boy. Mal stiffens in his arms, rage starting to build up as she shrugs herself out of Jay's hold. 

 

"I mean, I'm pretty sure Carlos was afraid of the ball." Chad continues, pretending to run away. 

 

It earns a few sniggers and a hiss of a 'be quiet" from Audrey. Her gaze flits to Mal and she finds herself shrinking back. Chad pays no attention, chuckling away even as everyone else stops. 

 

"We don't need someone that useless on our team, right guys?" 

 

He looks around expectantly, huffing when no one responds. Chad scoffs and turns away, only to be met with deep green eyes boring into his. He lets out a barely audible gulp. 

 

"Say it again, I dare you." Mal's eyes flash, her tone stoic but leaving no room for argument. 

 

Chad takes a step back, throwing his head back and chuckling, a nervousness creeping into his gaze. He holds his head high, completely ignoring her glare. 

 

"Who me?" He asks with a sickly sweet smile, "I was merely pointing out-" 

 

"You were talking shit about Carlos," Mal growls, stepping closer to him. 

 

Chad wags a finger at her, "now there's no need to be so defensive. It was just a little joke."

 

Mal throws her head back in a harsh laugh, gaze drifting to Evie to see a smirk toying at her lips. 

 

"Your playing was the only joke Chad." Evie sneers, spitting his name out with disdain. 

 

Jay sniggers and playfully bumps Evie's shoulder as Carlos laughs in full force. Mal smirks at Evie before turning back to Chad with a challenging glint in her eye. 

 

"I guess Carlos doesn't want to play with your useless ass. I don't recall hearing your name mentioned once during the game." 

 

"Excuse you, I’ve been playing tourney long before you and your little bunch of weirdos got here. Why don't you leave the game to the real players? Hmm."

 

"Oh please, I could run circles around you." 

 

Chad scoffs, scrunching his face and laughing much too loudly. The sounds caused several heads to turn, the crowds silencing, all staring at what was unfolding. 

 

"Prove it."

 

Mal raises to her full height, chest puffed out and her shoulders pushed back. A flicker of fear flashes through Chad’s eyes upon seeing the daring glint in Mal’s. She clicks her fingers and someone passes her a stick and helmet. Mal doesn’t take her gaze from Chad as she slides her helmet on, smirking and striding back to the other three. 

 

Jay beams with pride and claps Mal’s shoulder. 

 

Evie looks to the canons and back to Mal, feeling a twinge of nervousness at the prospect. She steps closer, voice lowering to a whisper, “M, are you sure about this?”

 

“E’s right, you don’t have to do this Mal.” Carlos pipes up, eyes searching Mal’s for any flicker of doubt. 

 

“Oh, I’m playing.” Mal insists, a confident smirk still in place, “trust me, I’ve got this.”

 

Evie sighs, knowing there’s no way to talk her round once Mal has her mind made up. She glances at Chad, reveling in the way his confidence seems to slip and turns back to Mal with a smug smile. 

 

“Kick his ass baby.” Evie winks. 

 

Carlos gives Mal a thumbs up and guides Evie away from the pitch, making sure to bump Chad’s shoulder as they pass him. They’ve watched Mal and Jay enough times on the Isle to know they can handle themselves, feeling a little sorry for Chad - he doesn’t know what he’s about to unleash. 

 

Jay pulls his own helmet back on and leans down to adjust Mal’s, stepping back with a wicked grin. They jog to the starting point and get in position as Chad and a few other members of the team do the same. 

 

Ben stops beside Mal, his eyes kind and smiles warm and encouraging. “Are you ready for this, Mal?” 

 

“I’m always ready, your highness.” She teases, her smirk every bit as devious as Jay’s, “let’s crush them.” 

 

Ben nods and signals their referee, moving to flank Mal and Jay. Chad pales, glancing from Mal to Jay and finally landing his gaze on Ben, a hurt frown tugs at his lips. Mal arches an eyebrow and shoots him one last smug smirk as the whistle blows. Mal runs forward and catches the ball, spiraling around Chad as she pulls her stick back and tosses the ball to Jay. He speeds down the pitch, dodging the defense with ease, faking right and passing the ball back to Ben on his left. 

 

Mal flies down the other side, dancing around their defences and coming back to the middle. Chad races after her, bumping into Mal with a quick block. Jay pulls Mal to her feet, sharing a look and then they’re bursting through players knocking them to their feet with practiced ease, being an Isle kid has its perks. 

 

“Ben over here!” Mal yells and leaps in the air to catch the ball. 

 

Jay works on defense as Mal and Ben pass the ball between them, storming down the field with the other players hot on their heels. Chad shoves his way forward, gaze trained on Mal’s every move. Mal slows a fraction, waiting for Chad to reach her before taking off in the other direction, sliding through the kill zone and ducking with every blast that comes her way. 

 

“Mal, I’m open!” 

 

She shoots a long pass to Jay and jumps over the hurdle. Jay passes to Ben and then back to Mal, an easy alliance working between the trio. The other players all run to defend, sticks up as Mal skims through them. The ball flies to Jay, and he flips it over to Ben. The players close in and Ben stills, catching sight of Mal as she easily slips past players and he grins, sending the ball sliding across the floor. Mal takes a leap of faith and smacks it with all her might, the ball soars into the net hitting the back corner with ease. 

 

The crowd erupts, chanting and cheering almost as loud as they did for the actual game. Jay tosses his helmet to the side and runs across the pitch, hoisting Mal into his arms and spinning her around. 

 

“You’re fucking amazing!” 

 

Mal laughs squealing as Jay continues to twirl her around. Ben is the first to greet them, grinning from ear to ear. 

 

“Why didn’t you tell us you could play like that?!” Ben shakes his head in disbelief, his eyes full of hope. “Mal, you have to join the team.” 

 

Jay sets Mal down and bumps her shoulder, “that’s what I’ve been saying, man.”

 

Mal takes her helmet off and shakes her hair free. She takes a moment to catch her breath, leaning into Jay as the rest of the team and Coach make their way over. Evie and Carlos aren’t far behind, sporting matching smug smiles. 

 

“That, right there, is why I need you on my team.” Coach says firmly. 

 

Chad shrieks, having finally caught up to them, his hair sticking to his forehead and his face red and blotchy, “What?! We can’t have a girl playing tourney,”

 

“Nobody likes a sore loser Chaddy-bear ,” Carlos sing-songs mockingly. 

 

Chad scowls and moves to step forward, shrinking back when he meets Jay’s heated glare. Evie levels him with one of her own, arm wrapping protectively around Carlos’s waist. Coach shakes his head and turns back to Mal. 

 

“What do you say? Will you join my team?” 

 

Mal’s gaze flits through the faces around her; Ben’s hopeful smile, Jay’s proud grin and Carlos’s awe-filled gaze. Jay steps closer, leaning down to whisper in her ear so only she can hear. 

 

“Y’know you wanna, baby dragon.” 

 

She bites her lip, cheeks flushing a bright pink as she turns away, deep green finally finding Evie’s warm chocolate eyes. Evie smiles softly and nods, it’s all the encouragement Mal needs. She turns back to the Coach with newfound confidence. 

 

“I’ll do it, but only if I get to pick my number.” 

 

Coach chuckles and offers his hand, “You keep playing like that, and you can have whatever number you want.”

 

Mal smirks accepting his hand and giving it a firm shake. Out of the corner of her eye she can see Chad sulking, her victory tasting a little sweeter at the prospect of pissing him off. 

 

The crowd slowly disperses and Mal’s wrapped in three sets of arms. Mal’s glad her face is buried in Jay’s chest and they can’t see her violent blushing. Though she can’t deny that getting showered in their affection feels good. Her mind started to imagine moments like this after her first game. Any excuse to bask in their warmth and affection

 


 

Mal tugs at the hem of her uniform, giving herself another one over in the mirror. Lip worried between her teeth, a shaky hand running through her hair for the hundredth time. It's only the first practice, Mal shakes her head, this was stupid.  

 

"What's stupid?" 

 

Mal pivots fast enough to make her head spin, eyes narrowing in on Carlos, casually leaning against the door frame with a smirk tugging at his lips. Why did she have to say it out loud?   She plasters on her signature scowl, pointing her finger in an accusatory fashion. 

 

"You're not supposed to be here."

 

Carlos shrugs, closing the door as he steps inside the room. Mal's nose scrunches, lips pursed a protest at the ready. He ignores her swooping closer and presses a kiss to her nose. A scarlet blush quickly follows, hand batting at his shoulder. Carlos catches her hand mid swing and pulls her close. His arms snake around her waist, chin resting on her shoulder. Mal's eyes flutter shut, and she makes a soft noise of content. He presses a kiss to her neck, smiling against Mal's cheek as she nuzzles closer. 

 

Mal is soft. A soft cuddly dragon and no one could tell Carlos otherwise. He likes it when they're alone, because it's when Mal truly let's her walls down. When it's the four of them or right now, the two of them cuddling in the privacy of their dorm room. The content smile tugging at Mal's lips is worth skipping one robotics meeting. 

 

He pulls her over to the bed (they'd pushed them together during their first night in Auradon). Carlos flops onto the bed pulling Mal down with him. She drapes a hand across his stomach, head coming to rest on his chest. It's quiet except for Carlos humming softly, fingers slowly combing through her hair. 

 

Carlos is the first to speak with a hushed voice and a patient smile. Mal rolls onto her side, arm propping her up. His hand slides from her hair to her arm, down to rest on her thigh tracing soft patterns on the exposed skin. 

 

"You look good in that." 

 

He vaguely gestures to her body, letting his gaze roam and admiring the way the tourney shirt hugged Mal's curves. 

 

A smirk spreads across her lips, "Of course I do." 

 

Carlos pulls his phone out snapping a picture before Mal has time to protest. To his delight she doesn't protest, instead she shifts to give him a better angle. Purple waves frame her face, her green eyes sparkling. Carlos's cheeks darken a shade or two, always amazed at seeing this side of Mal - carefree and playful. He sends Evie and Jay the photos before his phone is shoved aside and Mal is claiming his arms again. She flips on her side, back against his front and safely tucked under Carlos's arms. 

 

"You're gonna be great M, don't worry." 

 

Mal scoffs and shakes her head, "I'm not worried." 

 

Carlos feels the way she stills and hugs her tighter, pressing his face into her hair. The scent of strawberries floods his senses, and not for the first time he appreciates the custom shampoos Evie made for them. Evie’s was a mixture of rich caramel and tangy apple, whilst Mal’s was her beloved strawberries. He lets his eyes close, basking in the sweet scent and humming along to Mal’s words.

 

“I’m only doing this to shut that douchebag up.” Mal brings his arm closer, interlacing their fingers, “he’ll regret hurting what’s mine.”

 

“I don’t care what Chad says.” 

 

He really doesn’t - especially not when he has Jay, Mal and Evie all ready to pounce on the guy if he so much as blinked in Carlos’s direction. Still, seeing Mal snarling in Chad’s face was pretty dang hilarious. 

 

Carlos doesn’t miss Mal’s growl at the mention of his name, cute.  

 

“You take that back!” 

 

Mal turns in his arms, fixing him with a deep glare. Carlos shakes his head, a chuckle tumbling out as Mal continues the charade. Her lips juts out, and she grumbles low in her chest. 

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Carlos waves his hand, “you’re rotten, I know.” 

 

Mal glares again, no real malice in the action. 

 

“Exactly! I am fierce and-” 

 

Carlos rolls his eyes, leaning over to cup her face and bring their lips together, effectively shutting her up. She nips his lip in retaliation, fingers raking in his hair as she clambers into his lap. His hands rest on the small of her back as Mal’s mindlessly plays with his curls. They exchange lazy kisses. Mal soothes the bite with her tongue and hums into his mouth. Carlos preens under the attention, hands running up and down Mal's back. Neither realise they aren't alone until the door shuts, the familiar click of heels making their way to the bed. 

 

Mal pulls back with a cheeky grin, chuckling at the way Carlos chases her lips. She brushes some strands of hair from his face, giving his lips one more quick peck before her attention is drawn to the newest arrival. 

 

Evie smiles leaning down to kiss both of their cheeks. She hangs her bag up, removing her heels and jacket and makes her way back to the bed. 

 

"Room for one more?" Evie smiles, already knowing the answer. 

 

"There's always room for you, Princess." Mal husks softly, patting the space between them. 

 

Evie attempts to graciously crawl over them, huffing when she stumbles, landing rather unceremoniously in a tangle of limbs. Mal sniggers, earning herself a swat on the shoulder. Carlos smoothes Evie's hair, quickly restoring it back to its silky perfection. 

 

"How did it go Eves? Did Lonnie like the outfit?" 

 

"Of course she did Pup," Mal squeezes Evie's arm, "who could say no to an Evie original?!" 

 

Carlos taps his finger to his chin, giggling at Evie's faux gasp. "I'm kidding, I knew she'd love it!" 

 

Evie ducks her head, interlacing her fingers with Carlos's and giving them a gentle squeeze. 

 

"Soon you'll be designing gowns for all the royals in Auradon." Carlos beams with pride. 

 

Evie's laugh is soft and melodious, "I wouldn't go that far."

 

"You will." Mal insists, kissing the side of her forehead, "only complete morons would turn you down, E."

 

“Who’s the sweetest girl in the land?” Evie gushes, pink spreading across her cheeks.

 

Carlos leans up so he can look Mal directly in the eye, mouthing an ‘I told you so’. Mal flips him off and sticks her tongue out. Evie rolls her eyes, pulling them both back down with her. She shifts, letting her head fall to rest against Carlos’s chest while her other hand tugs Mal until she curls into Evie’s other side. Mal drapes an arm across her waist and cuddles closer, tracing patterns in soothing circles against Evie’s hip. 

 

“By the way, you look fantastic M.” Evie says fondly, as though suddenly remembering. 

 

Mal doesn’t bother to open her eyes, if she did she’d only roll them. “It’s just a jersey.” 

 

“Nu uh, it has your name and everything,” Carlos reminds her, “and it looks way better on you than on me.”

 

Evie shushes him, finger on his lips. Her gaze drifts between Carlos and Mal unsure who to address first. She settles on Carlos, shifting just enough to be able to cup his cheek. 

 

“You looked extremely handsome in your uniform,” her tone though soft doesn’t leave room for argument, “no putting yourself down!”

 

He nods and presses his forehead against Evie’s. Soft lips brush against his, hands cupping his face delicately. Evie is as gracious as ever kissing him with tenderness, as though they’re in a museum and he’s the work of art. When Mal’s arm starts to draw back Evie is tugging her back in, sitting up and drawing Mal close to her. Her finger tilted Mal’s chin and brought Mal’s gaze back to her. 

 

“It’s not just a jersey. You are part of a team,” Evie squeezes her hand, the action emphasizing her point, “people believe in you Mal. It’s okay to be happy.” 

 

“Yeah I know-”

 

Evie shakes her head, “I’m not finished. I know you’re anxious about joining the team, but I will not let you downplay your achievements. You and Jay are going to crush the other teams, and we,” she gestures to herself and Carlos, “are going to be chanting your names and drooling over how hot you both look in your uniforms, okay.” 

 

A crooked smile curls its way onto Mal’s lips, eyes softening as the words sink in. Evie tucks a fallen strand behind Mal’s ear, leaning closer to press her lips to Mal’s forehead. Carlos breaks free to shuffle around them, settling back in on Mal’s other side, arms wrapped around her. Evie mirrors him, and the two create a Mal sandwich, a tangle of limbs keeping her locked in place. Carlos’s fingers resume his earlier motions combing through her hair. Evie massages Mal’s temples, smoothing over frown lines and kissing away worries. 

 

Mal visibly relaxes into their touch, breath starting to even out with every gentle caress. Carlos’s hands still in her hair, and the light sounds of snoring fill the silence. Mal fights to keep her eyes open, sleep quickly taking over. 


“Go to sleep, baby,”   are the last words Mal hears before she slips into a peaceful slumber, with the ghost of Evie’s lips upon her forehead.