Actions

Work Header

Like Stars in the Midnight Sky

Summary:

Piper Brunswick.

Cocky, reckless, cynical and out for vengeance.

She’d always been rough around the edges. Hell, she was the poster child of shady individuals mothers would warn their kids to stay away from; an assassin, a vigilante, a roguish thug, a witty bitch, a stubborn prick, name it. She’d probably been one of those- or all of those- at some point in time. And she wasn’t planning on changing her wily, wily ways.

Armed with a balisong and driven by a personal vendetta, Piper was a force to be reckoned with in the crime-addled streets of Mitras, until a botched hit job forces her into being conscripted into the Survey Corps as a desperate bid to save her own skin. To make matters worse, Piper finds herself butting heads with Captain Levi, another stubborn pawn just like her in life’s wicked game, and he’s got his own fair share of tricks and surprises up his sleeve.

And out of all the horribly-timed inconveniences one could ever experience in their dreadful lifetime, goddamn feelings are definitely at the top of Piper’s long list and are frankly the most stubborn to get rid of.

Chapter 1: Prologue

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Run from it all you want, 

but in the end, 

death will always find a way back to you.

Supper with Squad Levi had always been relatively quiet in nature. Maybe it was the exhaustion kicking in, or perhaps it was the tension and anticipation for an upcoming operation that kept them quiet or lost in their own thoughts. Nevertheless, the silence that often prevailed was a welcoming and comforting experience, and everyone took it as an opportunity to gather their thoughts and feelings.

The only times they ever really discussed anything were during the last few evenings before crucial expeditions or dire operations; maps were laid out over the long tables, plot markers representing individual scouts or scouting units were littered across these maps, and each and every one of them present in that instance would recall each strategy, making sure that every plan of action was sound in logic, objective and reason. Occasionally, a spilled beverage would make its way through the maps and the formations, and they’d all scurry about in trying to salvage these fragile pieces of paper before the liquid seeped in and did its damage. Bittersweet times, indeed.

But today, supper with the squad had been comparatively different. There were no maps to gloss over, plot markers to place, or spilled drinks to clean up. Instead, there was silence, and even the silence that permeated the group was different in nature; it was the silence that weighed upon you, the type that suffocated you. It wasn’t the stillness that granted you the opportunity to collect your thoughts or recuperate from exhaustion. It was hollow, dreadful and gave you the itch to open all the windows just to get some air flowing in. One could say it was ominous or melancholic.

It was the night before their first expedition beyond Wall Maria since the Colossal Titan breached its fortifications six years ago. Supposedly, and if things were normal (let’s be real, nothing in this world could even be considered “normal” at this point), this evening was supposed to be spirited and ecstatic. It was one of humanity’s biggest milestones in over a hundred years; they should have all been exuberant.

Eren found himself way too occupied throughout the majority of supper, to the point that he had barely even touched his food. He had been transfixed at the empty chair and the spare cup of tea located between him and Captain Levi, and his curiosity had been steadily increasing ever since. Everyone that he knew of was present in the room, so why bother wasting a cup of tea?

For Commander Erwin, perhaps? He wondered as he stared at the steaming beverage, watching keenly as the steam levitated above before dissipating completely into the atmosphere. No, we already held a memorial to honor him and the fallen several months back. This is something else. 

Eren frustratingly ran a hand through his hair before glancing around his surroundings yet again. Everyone was grim, and no matter how many times he tried to rationalize it in his head, he couldn’t figure out why. Nothing catastrophic had occurred within the past few days or weeks; in fact, all that had ever occurred prior to this evening were accomplishments worth celebrating. It didn’t feel right for almost everyone to brood at this hour. 

Levi in particular stood out from the rest of them. He’d seemed distant- as if his presence was in that very room, but at the same time not. Moreover, the expression on his face was hollow and unreadable; Eren couldn’t quite figure out if the captain was agitated, exhausted, bored, or just the usual. 

“Captain, I was just wondering,” Eren suddenly declared, surprising even himself. “Who’s that spare seat and cup of tea for?”

Where did that even come from? Why would you bring that up now?

Everyone in the room was clearly taken aback by the unforeseen inquiry and were now on the edge of their seats, anticipating an answer from Levi. Eren on the other hand mentally chastised himself for the unexpected question, the embarrassment already kicking in full swing. He immediately surveyed the room once more and caught Hanji worriedly staring at Levi.

“It’s nothing.” He eventually replied as he set down his cup of tea, and Eren noticed the pained and melancholic expression that slowly replaced the unreadable facade from earlier. “It’s nothing.”

The second response was barely audible and felt more like a reassurance that the captain was muttering to himself. Hanji’s concern increased tenfold, and Jean, Sasha, and Connie began exchanging glances. It was clearly a sensitive topic to breach. 

From then on, not a single word was ever muttered or spoken during the remainder of supper, but wandering eyes and curious minds were hard to prevent. Many continued sneaking a glance at the empty seat and the steaming cup of tea, and each and every single one of them began speculating on their own for whom that enigmatic seat beside the captain was truly reserved for. 

Once everyone had finished with their supper, and certain individuals initiated cleaning up or instigated small talks, a little bit of life had finally pierced the hollowed atmosphere; however, the elephant in the room still weighed down on them, and it didn’t help that the captain was clearly in a bitter mood either. 

“You brats, don’t stay up too late, and make sure to clean up before heading off to bed.” Levi eventually stated after some time, finally rising from his seat as he made his way towards the hallway that led to their quarters. “Leave the empty seat and the cup of tea. I’ll clean it up myself tomorrow before we leave.”

With that, everyone watched in silence as he exited the mess hall, his figure vanishing into the darkness of the corridor. Hanji heaved out a heavy sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose, all the while keeping her gaze fixated on the notorious enigma. 

“Sorry about that you guys,” she mumbled, a somber smile resting on her face. “Especially to you, Eren. You know how grumpy that short little man could get.”

“Ah, it’s no big deal Hanji.” Eren eventually replied as he scooted his chair closer to the table while Mikasa and Armin proceeded to help out in cleaning the dishes. “It’s clearly a sensitive topic. I don’t know what came over me.” He’d thought that that would be the end of the controversial discussion, that it would finally be put to rest and never again mentioned, but Hanji shattered that optimistic bubble when she eagerly slammed her hands on the table, rattling the plates and the silverware that were resting on top of it.

“But, admit it, you’re all still wondering about this little mysterious seat over here.” She suddenly declared as she reached over and patted down the chair, causing Armin, Mikasa and the others to stop what they were doing and eventually glance at the chair once more. 

“I guess I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious about it.” Connie wondered aloud, and Sasha eagerly nodded in pursuit; even Floch, who had been notoriously distant from the entire squad over the past few months had found himself inching closer and closer to them, curiosity and intrigue in his eyes.

“Hanji, you really don’t have to-”

“No, Eren. I’d be doing her a great disservice,” Hanji interrupted as she finally returned to her seat and primly folded her hands on top of the table. “Besides, I’m sick and tired of being the only person in the room aside from that little man to know all about this.” 

It was clear as day to Eren and possibly the others that Hanji was trying her best to be the optimistic and energetic individual she always was, but the significance of the cup of tea was weighing her down. As if it was her obligation to suddenly tell us all about this, even if no one was forcing her, he’d thought. 

“You see, Levi wasn’t always like that- well, actually he was, if you think about it.” Hanji stammered as she tried to figure out her words before succumbing to a bit of a chuckle. “Ah you know what I mean!”

I guess this was about to be the story of a lifetime. 

“On this day, four years ago, Levi and I lost a dear friend in an expedition.” She finally stated as she had gathered her thoughts, before proceeding to gingerly tracing the rim of her teacup. “She… meant a lot to him. He’s been honoring her this way ever since.”

“No way,” Connie started as he eventually sat down, the others following in pursuit as their curiosity evidently triumphed over everything else they were doing prior to her statement. “You’re telling us just now that the captain was a chick magnet too? Or that he had a girl?”

“Connie!” Jean hissed as he tried to whack Connie with the washcloth, but the latter was too quick and swiftly dodged the rolled, semi-damp cloth. “Jeez, what if he hears you and your tactless mouth?!”

Hanji simply chuckled at the petty brawl that was slowly forming before her, grateful for the mini diversion. When the two had finally settled down, she cleared her throat once more, preparing herself for the long-forgotten memories she was about to lay out into the table, like a freshly brainstormed strategy or a sudden revelation she had discovered in one of her titan experiments.

“Her name was Piper Brunswick- rough around the edges, wit sharper than a knife and an all-around pain in the ass, but she was a pain in the ass we all came to love.”

Notes:

I apologize in advance if my writing skills are hORRible, I haven’t written anything proper in the past 6 years, nor have I attempted to (school essays and research papers excluded, of course). Rest assured I am doing my absolute best in getting back to my prime when it comes to writing stories (all those research papers and sleepless nights better have paid off).

I also want to point out that this fic is heavily inspired by the songs Ribs and Dark Paradise. I’d even go as far as calling them the theme songs of this fic, if there were to be any. I also highly suggest listening to either of these songs every now and then while reading! Makes the experience 1000x better (bring tissues if you're the emotional sort like me)
Ribs- Lorde
Dark Paradise- Lana Del Rey
Lmao I tried to embed the videos but AO3 won't cooperate with me ;-;

Chapter 2: Apple of My Eye

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

An apple.

A goddamn apple was all it took. 

Mitras had always been packed especially during noontime. High-profile merchants scurried from building to building, their lackeys and personal envoys following in pursuit as they chased after every “golden opportunity” that would help expand their sphere of influence or network of connections and sponsors. Noble families strode across the plaza square donned in their finest silks and jewelry, pristinely fanning their faces and complaining about the most minor of inconveniences. Privileged, stuck-up children who were oblivious to the plight of others beyond the confinement of their personal bubbles giggled and ran about, their mothers or fathers watching them amusingly. Even the Military Police was scattered about in the fray: off-duty officers were seen strolling around, eager to make it to the next bar and drink or gamble the day away while those who were on patrol brandished their rifles and kept a steady eye on the rambunctious crowd, eager to catch a reckless thief or a wanted individual trying to blend in. 

Further down the other side of the plaza was the market square where abled merchants sold their varying produce and continuously innovated and declared backhanded compliments or catchphrases as a feeble attempt to attract customers- the more flowery and wordy the compliment or catchphrase was, the higher the chance of scoring big-time customers. Varying crowds of people gathered in the market stalls to purchase fruits, vegetables, meat (if they had the coin for it), exotic delicacies or spices. It was chaotic in nature, making it the perfect opportunity to pursue a hit job.

Piper observed the commotion from a distance, keenly eyeing the visages of each and every one who had gathered in each stall. It's amusing to watch them all step on each others’ toes just to get a glimpse at the stalls, but she wasn’t here for entertainment. 

Military Police. Patchy black hair. Face always in a scowl. Limp on his right foot. Will be dropping by the apple stall at twelve o’clock. Piper repeated to herself internally as she tried to recall the details the street urchin had relayed to her a few days back.

This hit was unlike any of the other jobs Piper had previously done. It was critical for her not to miss any of the conditions that were presented to her. Besides that, too much of the job’s nature was in the dark. She had no idea who hired her, what their intentions were, or what her target had done to gravely offend her contractor. However, she couldn’t turn down the job; it was her golden opportunity to finally secure a place back in the bustling streets of Mitras. 

Do it right, and my boss promises to give you and your partner permanent citizenship aboveground. The urchin said. This is just a downpayment .

Piper chuckled to herself as she recalled her mortified expression when the urchin flung the overflowing sacks of coins towards her. Apparently eight solid bags of gold are considered a downpayment for some rich snobby prick out there, she thought.

She snuck another glance at the clock before she had noticed slight movement from the corner of her eye; Piper withdrew from the empty stall and reached out for her pocket, her hand ready to whip out the balisong that was snugly tucked inside and swipe at whoever was invading her personal space.

“Relax Pipes, it’s me,” the figure blurted as they lowered the hood of their dark cloak. Piper immediately took notice of the familiar auburn hair and deep green irises. “You’re jumpy today.”

“Who wouldn’t be?” she replied, focusing her attention back to the plaza and the clock while beginning to fiddle with the balisong inside her pocket. “This job could cost us everything.”

Eleven fifty-five.

Five more bloody minutes. 

“Listen, Piper,” the figure started as they leaned against the opposite end of the empty stall. “This entire thing’s suspicious. Too many unknowns.”

“Tell me something I don’t already know, Julia,” Piper retorted, her patience waning thin. “If we do this right, we’ll be secured ‘til the day we die. No more bloody hit jobs. No more smuggling rings. No more drug runs-”

“You know that’s a lie,” Julia responded as she too began eyeing the crowd. “I know you too well. You’re too angry to settle down.”

She was right. Too damn right. She wasn’t planning on stopping anytime soon or finally putting down her blade once and for all.

Not until those privileged scum burn in the pits of hell.

“Besides, a life of peace and quiet? You’ve gotta be kidding me. That’s boring, Piper.” 

You know me too well, indeed, Piper thought as the corners of her mouth twitched to form the faintest smile, causing Julia to easen up a bit. 

“Just, don’t be reckless,” Julia finally added as the bells rang and echoed, signalling the new hour. “Hell, can we skip the whole ‘grab an apple too so my boss can pinpoint where you are’ bit? We’re literally about to knife someone. Aren’t we supposed to, you know, keep it mellow?”

“That little urchin said it’s so he can give us the rest of the payment later on. Can’t blame these snobs for struggling to navigate the Underground. ” Piper replied as she drew out the balisong, the bright rays of the sun glinting against its silver blade. “I don’t like it either, but it seems like we don’t have a choice. Just make sure to keep your hood up; don’t want to risk bystanders being able to identify us.”

The two of them mentally rehearsed the plan as they carefully weaved their way through the crowded plaza. Surprisingly, it seemed as if the crowd that had gathered there doubled in size during the five minutes that they had spent semi-arguing. Beads of sweat had started to trickle down Piper’s temple, the dark scarf covering her face and her hair contributing the most to the heat she was experiencing, besides the overcrowded plaza they were trying to navigate. Even her hands began to clam up; she silently swore under her breath when her balisong nearly slipped out of her steady grip.

Julia’s unease was noticeable, even through her dark cloak. Between the two of them, Julia was always the jumpy one. Sure, she’s seen her fair share of death, but it never seemed to have numbed her completely. Don’t get her wrong, she never felt remorse for the bastards she helped kill, but the notion of blood all over the place and all over her hands still sickened her. 

“Don’t worry too much. This’ll be a quick job. Not like the previous ones.” Piper remarked as they finally reached the apple stall. As stated by the urchin, there was their target, only a few meters away from where Piper stood.

Piper subtly nodded to Julia as she brandished her blade and slowly approached the officer as he began to sniff one of the apples he was holding. Behind him, Julia positioned herself, carefully drawing out her own knife as she tried to block the man’s exit point.

“Today’s apples are really fragrant, don’t you think?” The man declared, glancing at Piper. Piper quickly stared at her vicinity, confused and taken aback by the sudden attempt at conversation.

Now this wasn’t part of the plan.

“I guess they are,” she replied coolly, eyeing the crowd before her. The crowd was rapidly increasing; the officers off-duty and on patrol were nowhere to be found. Probably blocked by all these stupid people. “But I was never really a big fan of apples myself.”

The officer chuckled heartily, and Piper gripped her blade harder. Behind him, she could see Julia visibly getting more nervous, the hand grasping her blade starting to tremble. 

Something’s wrong, Piper thought as she cautiously approached the man, closing off the remaining space they had between them earlier. But fuck it, anything for that stupid piece of paper that’ll let us live here for good. 

“Ah, well, I’m sure you’ll change your mind after taking a whiff of this one.” The man handed Piper the apple he had previously sniffed, and she took it with her free hand.

Don’t overthink it, maybe he’s just those overly talkative types.

“Too bad. That’s probably going to be the last apple you’ll sniff in your life.” Piper icily stated as she drew out the balisong and hastily swiped at where the officer’s neck would have been at that moment.

If life wasn’t a complete joke, the job would have been done right there and then, and Piper and Julia would have used the dispersing crowd as cover to escape underground.

But life’s a piece of shit. An utter piece of shit that won’t give me a goddamn break for once. Yay me.

The officer swiftly dodged the blade and stepped back as if he were expecting the attack in the first place. From afar, several gunshots were heard and green flares soared up the sky; the familiar grinding of wire against steel mechanisms resonated in the air as the crowd panicked and scattered. 

Julia panicked and made a run for it, but the two burly men behind her grabbed her and harshly pinned her to the ground. The missing officers Piper had been trying to spot in the crowd earlier finally reemerged with reinforcements, their rifles drawn and pointed towards them. 

Don’t be reckless. Julia’s words echoed in the back of her mind as Piper mentally chastised herself. Bravo, for doing the complete opposite of what Julia was asking earlier

“You were saying, Piper?” The officer mocked as he dusted his uniform and placed the other apple he was holding back to the pile on the stall. It was only then that Piper realized that the apple stall had no merchant manning it, and neither were the two stalls beside it. 

This was a fucking set-up. 

The officer swiftly kicked Piper’s hand, her balisong flying out of her grasp and skidding across the cobblestone. Piper tried to charge towards the man, but he was too quick for her, and she lost her balance and fell. Two other officers swiftly emerged from the fray and helped pin her to the ground, their knees agonizingly digging through her back and her arms. 

“Piper Brunswick!” One of the officers from afar called out as he slowly approached. “ Butcher of Mitras. My, you’ve grown sloppy!”

Piper grunted as the officer on top of her forcefully shoved his knee further down her back, her pinned down arms already growing numb from the lack of blood flow. The approaching officer finally stopped and knelt in front of her, his condescending eyes mockingly begging for a fight.

“Not so much of a butcher now, huh Brunswick?” 

“Nile, is that really necessary?” The officer on top of her questioned, his tone growing increasingly agitated. Piper tried to squirm from underneath him but ended up getting another jab to her back with his knee. “This gutter trash nearly cut my neck mere seconds ago. I don’t think it’s wise to rile her up.”

“I guess you’re right.” Nile wondered as he paced back and forth, pondering his next move. “Say Piper, how would you prefer to go? Strapped to a carriage and paraded around the city like the queen you truly are, or hung and displayed in the capital for the whole world to see?”

You fucking bastard.

Piper didn’t respond and merely glared at him. A smirk weaved its way through Nile’s previously scowling face as he propped her head up. “Did I hit a nerve there? Too soon?”

“Eat shit.” Piper quipped as she spat on his face, the wet drizzle dripping down his face as he cursed and proceeded to slam his boot down to her face, full-force. Bright white and red spots filled Piper’s vision and the taste of iron surfaced in her mouth. The muscles in her face began to throb, and sharp bouts of pain began to pulsate through them. Upon momentarily gaining her sight, she noticed the fresh drops of blood that splattered against the cobblestone, their deep crimson blotches contrasting against the light grey of the rough stone. Nile inevitably grew impatient and made his way over to Julia who was violently thrashing against the grip of the other two soldiers. 

“Hartmann. Now what am I to do with you?” he wondered aloud as he propped Julia’s head up with the tip of his blood-smeared boot; Julia didn’t respond either and simply looked away, already fearing the inevitable. Even Piper knew it, and the abyss in her stomach was rapidly growing. 

I should have paid more attention. Even a toddler could’ve figured out that this was a set-up from the very beginning .  

From a distance, Piper took note of a carriage stopping. Two cloaked soldiers exited the carriage and made their way towards the direction of the scuffle; Nile immediately cursed under his breath and quickly got up, half-jogging to intercept the two foreign soldiers. 

“What’s going on here?” One of the soldiers questioned as he steadily approached them. Nile clicked his tongue in frustration and brashly intercepted the intruder, nearly throwing him to the side had it not been for his companion who helped steady the two of them.

“Erwin for the love of god and all things mighty, go back to where you came from! This is Military Police business. This has nothing to do with you!” Nile half-yelled, growing visibly frustrated by the minute. The man he was talking to- Erwin- nodded to his companion and handed him the stack of papers he was holding. As if ignoring Nile’s previous declaration, he slowly made his way towards Piper and Julia, his maneuver gear rattling with every step he took. 

“Did you hear me Erwin? Take your ragtag group and go back to where you came from! This has nothing to do with you!” 

Is this fucker deaf?

“Believe it or not Nile, I’d love to go back to where I came from,” Erwin remarked as he crouched in front of Piper, his blue eyes seemingly glinting in fascination from under his dark green cloak. “But you’re blocking our way.”

Piper grimaced at the high-pitched sound of the whirring of maneuver gear as more green-cloaked soldiers arrived at the fray. Based on the disdain etched in Nile’s face, these were clearly not reinforcements he called for, and for that, she felt a slight bit of comfort. 

“It’s been a pretty long morning, Butcher,” Erwin stated as he cautiously eyed Piper, the foreign glint in his rich, blue eyes still not waning. “So why don’t you refresh my memory and tell me your name?” 

Notes:

You good over there? I hope you're good.

I also have this pretty empty tumblr you could check out if you want. It's mostly gonna be my writing/multifandom trashbin where I'll be posting updates about this every now and then or just geek out and ramble over other things.

See you in the next!

Chapter 3: Golden Opportunity

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Don’t be reckless.

The words Julia uttered to her moments ago were stuck in a never-ending loop in her mind like a broken record, constantly reminding her of her recklessness and tendencies to be blinded by ambition. She could see it in Julia’s emerald eyes too- that gaze of acknowledgment and disappointment, knowing all too well that it was through Piper’s inability to read the room and spot the red flags in the stupid job that was sending them to their guaranteed deaths. 

The promise of citizenship and a good life once and for all had blinded her sense of rationality, and Piper felt pathetic about it. To think that all it would take for these entitled bastards to catch a murderer is to dangle a false promise of gold and luxury- fucking pathetic .

Piper eventually tore her gaze away from the ground to face Erwin, who still had that foreign glint of fascination and recognition in his sapphire eyes. She cautiously watched as he paced back and forth between her and Julia, the rattle of his maneuver gear serving as the only noise that pierced the thickened atmosphere. After an eternity of aimless pacing, Erwin knelt before Piper once again, the intensity in his stare capable of burning holes on her forehead.

“Your reputation precedes you,” he remarked fascinatingly as he picked up her balisong that had been discarded to the side of the pavement before opening it with precision and ease before her. “The amount of bodies and casualties you’ve racked up over the past couple of years is truly remarkable.” 

As do you, Piper thought as she took note of the insignia emblazoned on their rich green cloaks, realization dawning upon her like a thick blanket.

The Wings of Freedom. A symbol for humanity’s courage; the vanguard of hope amidst these troubling times.

What business does the Survey Corps have within the innermost wall anyways?

“So you’ve heard of us?” Julia questioned as she continued to squirm underneath the officer that was pinning her down. Erwin took note of this and waved a hand at the officer that had been straddling her down, causing him to release her before another one of his soldiers came in to sit her up and bind her arms behind her back. 

“Piper Brunswick. The infamous ‘Butcher of Mitras’; a cold-blooded murderer of the nobles and officers in this district,” he declared curtly as he stared at Piper’s blade in admiration before immediately closing it and tucking it away in what appeared to be his coat pocket. “And Julia Hartmann, notorious thief, smuggler and henchman to the Butcher. The chaos and fear that you’ve both planted in the streets of Mitras are quite telling of your skills and capabilities.”

What, are you here just to gawk over us before we’re sent to our deaths? You’re fucking deluded , Piper wanted to say in response, but the words never came out of her mouth. Instead, she simply focused her gaze towards Nile and his group who were approaching them, their rifles still aggressively brandished. At this point, Nile’s irritation was clear as day, and he was evidently sick and tired of whatever game Erwin was playing at that moment.

“Let the Military Police handle this, Erwin,” he snapped through gritted teeth, irked to the bone that this operation was taking its own wicked twists and turns. “Just hand them over to us, so we can punish them for their crimes. These vile miscreants do not deserve to see the light of day!”

“Oh, big words from you, Nile,” Piper found herself scoffing as she tried to stifle a laugh. “I always thought you were just a walking lump of meat. Good to know you’ve still got a brain that’s not swimming in booze like your buffoons over there.” Why she even bothered picking on Nile especially at that moment, she never really understood, but Julia found herself smirking at the impromptu quip.

“What did you say you little bitch-”

“That’s enough from both of you.” Erwin interrupted as he motioned yet again for one of his companions to prevent Nile from further approaching the fray. “Let me talk to them for a bit, and then I’ll hand them over to you.”

He’s lying. Piper could tell through the glint in his eyes and the tension that had manifested itself on his broad shoulders. Why he was still so keen on getting to know them and possibly preventing the Military Police from taking them was still a mystery to her. Erwin eventually turned his attention back to Piper, his unwavering composure chilling her to the bone.

“You are aware of the gravity of your crimes, are you not?” He started, each word leaving his mouth laced with dread and ominosity. “Numerous accounts of murder, manslaughter, theft, robbery, smuggling and much more- these are all capital crimes punishable by death. The chances of both of you making it out alive are little to none.”

Julia’s eyes were downcast once more as Erwin reiterated their impending deaths. Piper didn’t want to show it- hell, she didn’t even want to admit it to herself- but the prospect of death terrified her. Moreso, it was the method of dying that she’d feared the most. She’d remembered the bloodied faces of her fallen friends in the past, helpless as justice struck down upon them mercilessly.

The blond, brotherly man’s blood-curdling screams as he was strapped to a carriage and helplessly dragged around Mitras, the stones coupled with the uneven terrain and the speed of the horses doing their work and leaving him a bloodied, broken corpse beyond recognition that was left in the open for the flies and the vultures to feast on…

The stoic, lean man’s body, dangling aimlessly by a noose around his neck on the arc of the royal family’s castle, a horrific display and reminder for the people of the walls to see…

They’ll never understand the pain of having to witness it all.

It all came surging back to Piper, and it gave her the need to retch. Piper fought back against the dreadful urge and the wave of nausea that had stricken her, adamant in maintaining her composure just like the man before her. Stand your ground, never falter.

“What do you want?” Piper questioned as she looked him in the eye, silently praying to herself that he hadn’t noticed her brief moment of weakness. 

“Your cooperation,” he simply replied, causing Nile in the back to let out a disapproving huff. “I have a proposition for both of you that I’m sure you’d be interested in hearing.”

“Erwin! What do you think you’re-”

“I’m giving you the chance to redeem yourselves. Lend me your strength and join the Survey Corps.” He explained bluntly. “It’s a fresh start, and it’s an opportunity to give yourselves a new purpose in life. Serve for us- offer your lives for humanity, and I will ensure that both of you are absolved of your crimes when the time comes.”

It was a promising offer that laid everything at stake, much like the “hit job” they were given. The promise of a fresh start, a newfound sense of purpose and freedom- she knew these were fleeting promises. If she were to take up his offer, she’d be signing herself a death sentence. 

Give it a month or two and I’ll be titan food.

“What you mean to say is that you’re looking for hopeless, degenerate scum to offer up as cannon fodder to the titans, and we fit your perfect little job description like a glove.” She spat in return as her anger boiled over and her composure waned. He doesn’t really care about us; we’re expendable to him. Worthless beings no one will mourn over once we get fed to the titans. “Thanks but we’ll pass. Not everyone shares your deluded sentiment of discovering what lies beyond these walls.” 

“Then it’s settled. The Military Police can have both of you.” Erwin resigned as he stood up and signaled for Nile and his charges to approach them. “I’d wished that it would not come to this, but you've given me no choice. I can’t save those who don’t want to be saved.”

“So what’ll it be Brunswick, the gallows or the carriage?” Nile questioned as he slammed his boot on Piper’s side once more, causing her to double over. “Make it quick, we’re a busy bunch.”

Shit, it’s happening. It’s happening. Panic washed over Piper’s eyes as the other officers forced Julia to stand up, her thrashing and kicking making it difficult for them to do so. The gruesome images that she had tried so hard earlier to shove back down to the recesses of her mind reemerged and haunted her once more, this time all the more vivid as the notion of death hung in the air. She could already feel it: the noose tightening around her neck, constricting her airflow as she struggled against the pull of gravity, suffocating her agonizingly, or the jagged rocks and the uneven streets bruising her body, shattering her bones or twisting her limbs in ways she couldn’t imagine as she was rapidly dragged by the horses. A slow, painful death, no matter what punishment or verdict befell upon them.

Eventually, Piper herself began to thrash against Nile’s sturdy grip as the adrenaline coursed through her veins, her anxieties increasing tenfold as they were slowly being dragged away. She wasn’t ready, not like this. Eternal damnation was eagerly awaiting her on the other side, yearning to claim her for all the souls and the lives she’d taken; she could even see Death counting down her days with his slim, bony fingers. He was ready for her, but she was not. Please, not like this. Not like this.

She couldn’t hear Julia’s anxious pleas or the commotion in the plaza, for the rapid beating of her heart against her chest had drowned out all the noise. Her vision dimmed and spun, and she felt the strong urge to throw up once more; her limbs felt like jelly, and the vapid recess that had formed in the pits of her stomach was clawing at her dreadfully. Panic and grief had overtaken her senses completely.

“What’s the matter, Piper? Afraid of dying?” Nile cooed patronizingly as Piper continued thrashing against his grip. Over on the other end, Julia had succumbed to her anxieties and was crying, begging at the officers to reconsider. “Who would’ve known that the butcher’s only fear is dying! I’ll make sure you get a taste of both the carriages and the gallows.”

“Erwin, wait! Please!” Piper desperately yelled after the blond man, but he was already halfway through entering his carriage. It seemed that all hope had vanished before her, once more due to her recklessness and her stubbornness. He gave her a chance and she spat in his face in return. Talk about being grateful. “Erwin, please! We’ll take your goddamn offer! I’ll feed myself to the titans if I fucking have to! Just give us a chance!”

That did it. A slight sense of relief washed over her as Erwin froze on his tracks and turned to face the commotion after hearing her cries of desperation. He’d seen through her during those futile moments, and her vulnerable side was laid bare for all to witness and see. Gone was the brave, unyielding and sharp-tongued Piper Brunswick in his eyes. What he was seeing now was a girl so terrified of facing death and the consequences of her actions.

He shook his head, evidently disappointed at her as he reapproached them. Nile had grown sick and tired of Erwin’s meddling and finally drew the line; he then resorted to aiming the barrel of his rifle straight at Piper’s neck as an attempt to warn him off. His other charges took this as a signal to further aim their rifles at Julia, and they did, causing the auburn-haired girl to cry and wail even more.

“For the last time, Erwin, what do you think you’re doing?!” He demanded yet again, the rifle quivering under his tense grip. The entire discourse had been going on far too long for his liking, and he was dead set on getting the job done as quickly as possible, so they could finally carry on with their boozed-up lifestyles. It didn’t help either that more and more citizens were gathering in the square to witness the entire fiasco.

“Making a gamble.” Erwin responded evenly, warily keeping his eyes on the rifle and the trigger as he resumed his cautionary approach.

“Now isn’t the time for your stupid gambles! Don’t even think about taking one more step, or I’m blowing this bitch’s brains off right this instant,” Nile threatened as he forcefully shoved the barrel towards Piper’s temple and placed a quivering finger towards the trigger. “Picking up criminals left and right isn’t your duty or obligation, and I can charge you for treason.”

“Think of this as a personal favor to you, Nile.” He cleared as he gripped the barrel of the rifle, peacefully urging the irked officer to set it down and see reason. “I’m helping you get some work off your shoulders. Mitras is a bustling place, and I’m sure you’ve got your hands full.”

“You don’t say,” Nile replied as he set down the rifle. “Now, even if I did want to pass these thugs over to you, surrendering them would spark outrage among the citizens of Mitras. The king will have my head for neglecting to end the problem when we had the chance!”

“Surrendering them to us is a death sentence in itself,” Erwin argued. “At least they would be useful to us until that time comes.” 

Erwin did prove a point. Whether or not Nile gave in and surrendered both of them to the Survey Corps or flat out refused and carried out their executions at that moment, they were still guaranteed to die. The only difference was that Erwin’s plan would’ve granted them the opportunity to be useful and eventually reform their troubled ways. But still, even if they did change, one way or another they were sure to be titan food. 

The notion troubled Piper deeply, but who was she to complain. At least with the Corps, I could live to see another day, another week, or probably even another month… Maybe even a year or two if I’m pretty lucky. Either way, joining the Survey Corps offered them a higher probability of survival, compared to surrendering to the Military Police. The circumstances weren’t ideal, but Piper couldn’t afford to be picky, especially now. After an eternity of hesitantly mulling it over, Nile finally succumbed to the offer and huffed exasperatingly, clearly defeated in his own game.

“Don’t come crawling back to us when those thugs cause you problems in the future. That’s all on you.” He coldly declared as he finally relented and released Piper, already too exhausted to continue the argument over her custody; she wasn’t worth his precious time anyways. Piper watched in silence as Julia shoved away from the officers who were still on her, relief and agitation battling for dominance on her tear-streaked face as she scrambled towards them.

Relief mixed with dread washed over her as she cautiously observed Nile and his group’s diminishing figures as they moved away from the plaza. Whether she liked it or not, things were never going back to normal from here on out. They escaped the clutches of death for now, but they were bound for a lifetime of suicidal and idealistic servitude.

After all, no crime goes unpunished, Piper silently mused as she meekly trailed after Erwin who was making his way back to the carriage. Their hands were stained with the blood of several men. It was just about time that karma finally bit them in the ass for their horrific sins.

“Before we go,” Erwin started as he faced the two of them. “Make sure to grab your necessary belongings. Mike will help you out.” 

 


 

The journey to the Scouts’ headquarters in Wall Rose had been silent and uneventful for the most part. The day was painstakingly overwhelming, and Piper lacked the energy to instigate another argument or maybe even a decent conversation if she really tried (and cared). Moreover, the atmosphere of the carriage was already too stuffy for her liking, so she deemed it best to simply shut out her surroundings and focus on the passing greenery by the window.

She preferred to be alone with her thoughts anyways, no matter how troublesome or grim they ended up at times. To begin with, she was never really good with people or socialization. Her pessimism coupled with her cynicism and horribly-timed sense of humor made her a magnet for trouble, or drove people on the verge of madness. Despite all that, it was a miracle and a relief to Piper that Julia chose to stay by her side. Apparently, the death, darkness and despair theme she had going on in her life wasn’t enough to push her away.

For that, Piper grew to care deeply for Julia. They had each other’s backs, no matter what troublesome situation they got themselves into. She was family to her, and quite literally the only family she had left. They’d practically grown up and spent most of their childhood years together; she was the sister she never had.

And so, Piper had spent most of the ride sneaking glances at Julia, worried that she might’ve finally driven her to her breaking point. She wanted to talk to her, but she wasn’t entirely sure as to how she was going to talk to her; today’s events had placed everything on thin ice.

Are you mad? Piper wondered as she mentally attempted to strike a conversation towards Julia who was also staring out in the window opposite her. What kind of question is that- of course she’d be mad. You dragged her into this mess; no sane person would be happy after all that happened today.

Eventually, she gave up in her attempt and turned her gaze back towards the window. The sky was beginning to turn a soft golden orange, a sign that the day was nearing its end. It only dawned to her now that it had been years since she had seen what was beyond the walls of Sina. The seemingly endless fields of viridian, the unobstructed horizon that spanned as far as the eye could see, the puffy white clouds that lazily rolled across the sky and the warmth of the sun- it felt like a scene ripped out of a dream. 

We’re never going back to the Underground. We can finally leave Mitras behind.

“Hey,” Piper found herself stating as she glanced at Erwin who was directly sitting across her. “Why’d you do it?”

“What do you mean?” He asked in response as he set down the stack of papers he had been thoroughly glossing over the moment they all entered the carriage and departed Mitras. Piper watched in subtle amusement as he furrowed his eyebrows, clearly trying to process her unforeseen inquiry. 

Those gorgeous eyebrows could probably nest a whole flock of birds.  

“Be fucking honest, why’d you come back for us?” She pressed as she pushed away the intrusive thought, keeping her tone monotonous. She wasn’t mad or anything, in fact, she was glad that Erwin actually listened to her desperate pleas, even if they were pretty pathetic. Still, she wasn’t looking forward to being titan food, but then again, who was she to complain. At least he gave them a chance to “atone” for their crimes. “I don’t want bullshit excuses about charity or whatever the fuck it is you idealistic patriots yap about.”

“I’ve dealt with the likes of you before,” he flatly explained. “Similar backgrounds, identical circumstances. Many couldn’t comprehend the reason behind conscripting them and deemed them irredeemable- a lost cause. But given the proper training and discipline, they made for outstanding soldiers.”

Thanks, I guess.

“That means a lot, actually,” replied Julia. “For you to have such high regard for a bunch of people you’ve never met.”

Erwin nodded in acknowledgment, the sincerity of his intentions evident in his eyes. “From here on out, whoever you were and whatever you did in the past no longer matters. Keep looking forward, no matter what.” He replied shortly. 

It was a notable philosophy and a wholly-different outlook towards life. Erwin truly was an enigma; it startled Piper and tested the foundations of her perspective towards things. Whereas everyone in the Walls perceived the past as an escape from the bleak and uncertain future, Erwin was the opposite. He didn’t strike her as another individual who dwelled in the luxury of the past; he was searching for something, far ahead beyond the horizon. Past the comfort of the past and the luxuries of the present.

A dreamer.

Suddenly, the sound of her stomach grumbling shook everyone from their thoughts. The familiar sensation of blood and heat rushing towards her cheeks manifested at once, and Piper swore under her breath. She didn't realize until then, but they hadn’t eaten anything since the previous night. Breakfast was a luxury their shallow pockets could never afford, and the privilege of lunchtime was mercilessly robbed from them due to the events that transpired in the plaza square earlier.

Should’ve taken a bite from that stupid apple earlier, Piper. Stubborn as always. She mentally chastised herself as she heard shuffling from Erwin’s end. It didn’t take long for Julia’s stomach to rumble in protest as well, and soon both of them were staring at each other, faces painted a bright crimson.

“Here, for both of you,” Erwin spoke as he stretched both of his hands towards them, each holding what appeared to be a military ration bar. “You need it more than I do.”

“T-thanks.” Julia stuttered as she grabbed the ration bar from him. Piper followed and took the other bar, her mouth watering and craving for the ration. Her hunger had taken control and she couldn’t be bothered with thanking him anymore as she hastily devoured the ration bar, eager to fill her empty stomach. It lacked flavor and was horribly stale, but she couldn’t care less. Food was food; as long as they had something in their stomachs by the end of the day, she was grateful.

Once they had finished ravaging the ration bars and recovered from their embarrassment, Piper retreated to the comfort of her thoughts and the passing scenery yet again. Over in the distance, the faint outline of the high walls had started to emerge, and settlements beyond the confinement of the walls had begun to frequent the plain viridian fields.

“What district is this?” Piper asked as they steadily approached the walls. The bustle of the city and its inhabitants was livid in the air, and the toll of the bells grew louder and louder as they neared the enormous stone gates with Rose’s sigil emblazoned on them. 

“Trost,” Erwin responded as he looked out to the approaching gate. “We’re nearing the headquarters in a bit, so best prepare yourselves now.” 

As their convoy of carriages passed the tremendous gate, they were greeted by the energetic environment of Trost. Whereas Mitras was a spacious, quiet and sophisticated district that boasted clean, minimalist architecture and housed the richest individuals of humanity (excluding the horrible living conditions of the Underground City, of course), Trost was the complete opposite. Every street and corner harbored a chaotic scene: men and women running back and forth while carrying heavy sacks on their heads, villagers screaming for one another due to the noise in the streets, caravan after caravan unloading what appeared to be refugees and Garrison officers running back and forth, barking orders here and there. The houses and establishments were situated next to each other, barely leaving any space for alleyways or walkways. It was a far cry from the pleasantries of Mitras.

“Busy day?” Julia asked as she glanced at Erwin who was also observing the chaos in the streets. “Everyone seems to be in a rush or something.”

“It’s been like this for almost two months now, ever since the fall of Shiganshina,” Erwin replied as the carriage took a right turn, moving away from the congested streets. “Every district in Wall Rose is struggling with overcrowding due to the mass evacuation. Supplies are running low, and the lack of proper housing is driving everyone on the edge. If this keeps up, the capital will demand for at least half of these refugees to return to Wall Maria- a guaranteed mass sacrifice to deal with the current supply issues.”

“Weed out the weak and feed them to the titans, huh?” Piper grimly stated, not at all surprised by the eventual course of action. “Guess we’re really just cattle waiting on our asses to be fed to the titans.”

“It’s a last resort,” Erwin defended, clearly disgusted by the notion of sending hundreds of thousands of people to their deaths as a means to secure resources. “We’re actively proposing ways in the capital to handle the situation, hence why we were in Mitras earlier to witness the entire ordeal. As much as possible, I don’t want it to come down to that.”

“In the end, you might not have a choice,” Piper cynically stated as they steadily approached a castle. Their glorious base of operations . “We live in a cruel world. Sacrifices have to be made to ensure other people’s survival.”

Their headquarters was enormous, to say the least. Based on the stories and hearsays she had heard in Mitras and the Underground, the government despised the Scouts and believed them to be a hopeless cause- all their expeditions beyond the walls barely yielded anything substantial and were frequently doomed to failure. Hence they often faced budget cuts or denied expedition funding since these funds were redirected to more “essential” military branches like the Garrison or the Military Police. Residing in a grand castle seemed characteristically unrealistic for the Survey Corps, but perhaps the recent catastrophes and events have changed that for them and served as their silver lining.

“Pardon the mess of our headquarters,” Erwin stated as their carriage stopped in front of the entrance. “We’ve just moved in barely three weeks ago, so we haven’t all quite settled down.” 

One by one, they quietly exited the carriage and stepped out into the open, taking in the scene before them. The other carriages that were part of their entourage had arrived in the courtyard as well and had begun the process of unloading their passengers or the supplies they were carrying. As they made their way to the entrance, Piper could feel the stares and the murmurs of the soldiers they passed, bewildered at their sudden, undeclared presence. They clearly weren’t expecting visitors or recruits, so their presence at that moment served as a hot topic for gossip and rumor, at least until the situation was addressed and clarified by Erwin himself.

Two individuals- a man and a woman, stood by the entrance, eagerly awaiting Erwin’s arrival. The woman towered over the male and donned unruly chestnut hair tied into a high ponytail, and behind her goggle-like glasses were deep russet eyes overbrimming with excitement and natural curiosity. The male on the other hand was a stark contrast to the upbeat woman and donned raven-black hair styled into an undercut and had deep grey eyes that were fixed into an eternal scowl. The white cravat he wore around his neck was the final nail to the coffin for Piper, and his entire presence at that moment screamed 'pretentious piece of shit' to her. 

It’s like having midget Dracula who’s constantly sucking on a lemon. Piper thought to herself as they finally approached the steps of the entrance, and the two soldiers immediately saluted before Erwin.

“What the hell Erwin, what took you so long?” The short male bluntly questioned as his cobalt eyes narrowed and landed on Piper. “Didn’t think we’d be expecting recruits.”

Notes:

Ah, a new chapter!

This one's significantly longer than the previous chapters, and I'm not entirely sure if I'm okay with that?? I'd love to hear your opinions/comments about chapter length and such, like if you'd prefer shorter ones or longer, more descriptive chapters like this (pls don't be shy u guys, I live off of constructive criticism hehe :>).

With regards to how often I'll be updating this fic, I'm projecting to either update this once a week or once every two weeks, depending on my schedule and overall well-being. Writing is no simple feat, and while it is something I enjoy doing, it could get frustrating at times.

In case I couldn't flesh out an update between the aforementioned schedule/s, I will be posting out a notice here on my tumblr account (which again is so barren and empty like fjdsak forgive me, I just made that account recently). And yes, that's all for today!

Kudos and comments are highly appreciated!! See you guys in the next and I hope you're all having a wonderful day/night :D

Chapter 4: Welcome Party

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

There was something vaguely familiar about the cold, metallic irises that eyed her like a vulture; that hollowed, stoic gaze commonly found amongst those who have witnessed the cruelties of life firsthand- she was certain she’d seen them before. His striking eyes stood out like a sore thumb, and gazing deep into them was akin to staring down a bottomless pit. Despite the vague sense of recognition and the bizarre sensation she felt under his scrutinizing glare, Piper was certain that she had never encountered the raven-haired man who stood before her. He struck her as the sort who would leave a lasting impression, had she ran into him at some point in her life. 

If the eyes are the windows to a person’s soul, this man didn’t have even just an ounce of a soul left in him. He was a tough one to read, and no matter how hard she tried to search his emotionless eyes for answers or measly scraps she could try to piece together, she emerged empty-handed, plagued by the odd sensation and haunted by his icy stare.

There’s more to it behind that impassive gaze, isn’t it?

Who are you, and what are you hiding?

“Well, don’t leave us hanging, Erwin,” the raven-haired man quipped, folding his arms as he awaited a response from the commander. “Tell us about your day, and the wonderful friends you’ve made along the way.”

Erwin cleared his throat and sighed in resignation as he pinched the bridge of his nose. His exhaustion was more apparent now, given the tension that was building on his shoulders coupled with the strained expression on his face. He was visibly frustrated, yet he was doing his best to maintain his composure and progress with the remaining tasks that were expected from him. The amount of patience he had in him was outstanding, even though things didn't go the way they should. 

“As expected, the king has denied our proposal for an increased budget for future expeditions. We’ll have to make do with what we have,” he started, eyeing the two soldiers who stood before him as he detailed the day’s developments. “Given the recent events surrounding the fall of Wall Maria, the capital believes that funding surveys and expeditions at this time are a waste of valuable resources. Thus, they’ve decided to fully divert their current funds to more pressing and immediate matters, like the current relief operations and evacuations. However, the trip to Mitras wasn’t a lost cause as an opportunity presented itself along the way, hence the presence of these two individuals.”

Piper found herself agreeing with the king’s perspective regarding the issue. She still believed that the old nutjob was incompetent and an indolent oaf, but his judgment was inarguably sound. She’d heard about the sudden attack, followed by the chaos and the havoc it wrought. It was rational and completely reasonable to divert all available resources to aid those who had been affected and displaced by the tragedy. 

Besides, what good were expeditions going to do anyway? The only thing they were ever consistent with was high mortality rates. Furthermore, now that humanity was forcibly pushed to the confinements of Wall Rose, it would be useless to conduct expeditions beyond its walls, considering that the region in-between it and Wall Maria had been decently mapped and surveyed in the past, and there was nothing substantial to gain from further scouring them. Humanity’s real objective was always situated beyond the shattered walls of Wall Maria, and doing so was rendered impossible granted the circumstances.

The two scouts said nothing in return as they silently processed the information Erwin disseminated, taking it into account. They didn’t seem all too affected by the letdown; perhaps such was the effect of being in the Survey Corps, considering that they were the military’s branch who often got the short end of the stick. A moment of silence passed before the woman’s head perked up, the stern, calculating look she donned earlier washing away as the gleam in her eyes reemerged.

The brunette proceeded to exchange glances with her aloof companion before eventually stretching out a hand for both Piper and Julia to shake. Unlike her shorter counterpart who looked like he had reached his breaking point and was ready to shove a knife up everyone’s asses and call it a day, she seemed thrilled at the prospect of brand-new company, and her eagerness to engage them both in conversation at once was overbrimming. 

“Well, at least we get to see some new faces around here! It gets horrendously boring and static at times, you know,” she beamed as she snatched Piper’s hand, vigorously shaking it before shifting to Julia and repeating the same gesture. “I’m Hanji Zoë, and it’s a pleasure to meet both of you.”

And here I thought having one overly cheerful companion glued to my shoulder was enough for an entire lifetime. Now I have to endure another one. Seems like the heavens above intend for me to suffer in every way possible.

“Piper Brunswick,” Piper unenthusiastically replied, mustering her strength to shove down the urge to express her feelings of resentment and disdain. I’ve known this sickeningly overenthusiastic woman for five seconds. Keep your cool. “And that’s Julia Hartmann.”

“Brunswick… Now, where have I heard that name before…” Hanji trailed, earning herself a knowing and meaningful glance from Erwin. Even her stern companion who was initially disinterested at their entire ordeal had suddenly directed his attention towards her at the mention of Piper’s last name, his curiosity purportedly piqued. 

“Ah, I could’ve sworn I’d seen your last name in the papers several years back, but my mind’s probably playing tricks with me. Besides, there’s probably a handful of other Brunswicks out there,” Hanji eventually shrugged, chuckling as she chummily patted Piper’s shoulders before hopping over to Erwin. “Anyways, this is our commander, Erwin Smith- but you probably already knew that, and this is-”

“I can speak for myself, four-eyes.” The stoic man interrupted, swatting Hanji’s hand away when she attempted to sling her arm over his shoulders. “Name’s Levi.”

Levi, huh. Piper pondered as she held his gaze once more, the vague sensation reemerging at the back of her head. Wasn’t there a notorious thug in the Underground back in the day who went by the same name?  

“It’s a pleasure to meet all of you,” Julia responded, the only one besides Hanji to actually seem delighted to have the conversation. “I’m sure Piper and I have a lot of things to catch up on.”

“I won’t pretend and say that the demands and expectations set for both of you will be easy,” Erwin explained as they all proceeded to enter the building. “Given that both of you haven’t undergone formal military training of any sort, we will train you rigorously in these succeeding months. You’re going to learn in approximately six months what most of us mastered and learned in the span of three years. If your development is stunted or we do not see efficient results, we will not hesitate to send you back to the Military Police. Is that clear?”

Six months.

Six months to learn military tactics and protocols. Six months to cram three years’ worth of history and education. Six months to learn how to efficiently kill titans without losing a bloody limb. Six months to prove my worth.

Is that even possible?

What the hell did you sign yourself up for, Piper?

“E-Erwin? Are you sure that’s a reasonable amount of time?” Hanji questioned, visibly concerned about the feasibility of his proposed timeline. “They don’t seem to have notable foundations we could build on. It might be too dangerous to send them out in the open immediately.”

“Time waits for no one. Besides, they were resourceful enough to survive in the Underground and actively avoid the Military Police for several years. That alone is a huge feat in itself.”

“I still think that investing in these two brats is counterproductive,” Levi interjected, his harsh tone catching Julia and Hanji off guard. He really wants nothing to do with us, huh? Charming. “You said it yourself Erwin, time waits for no one, and we’ve got pressing matters to attend to.”

“We need all the manpower we can get,” he answered in return, seemingly prepared for his blunt remark. “We’ve lost a lot of men over the past few months, and the titans have dealt a heavy blow. They may not be the ideal soldiers we need, but given the proper training, I'm certain that they will be capable of doing the job. You of all people should know this.”

“Giving it some thought, it does seem impractical and reckless at first, but it will undoubtedly benefit us in the long run if things go as planned.” Hanji intervened, “Besides, on the bright side, it’ll be fun! And you get to make new friends!”

“You and I have very different definitions of fun , four-eyes.” Levi replied tersely before clicking his tongue, acknowledging his defeat. It was apparent to all of them that nothing was going to sway Erwin’s decision; his word was definite and set in stone, whether they liked it or not.

“Which is why I am putting you in charge of these two, Levi.” The commander eventually continued, “I understand this is all very sudden for you, but I believe you’re best suited for the job given your… experiences. I trust you’ll know how to deal with them should the need arise.”

Well isn’t that grand?

Ominous, but grand.

“Very well then.” Levi flatly acknowledged, shooting Piper another bone-chilling stare. 

Piper scoffed bitterly to herself, agitated at their situation’s latest developments. Besides having absolutely no say in the matter, they were now stuck with the short-tempered midget with the prickly demeanor. And to add salt to the wound, they had to answer directly to him.

My life’s a living hell , she thought to herself, failing to mask her irritation. Being drawn and quartered right this instant is turning out to be an even more ideal scenario than whatever this is that fate keeps throwing in my way. 

“Give them a tour of the HQ and hand them their uniforms before leading them to their quarters. When you’re done, meet me in my office for a full debrief regarding our current matters, along with your new responsibilities,” Erwin ordered. “And Hanji, go and help the others unload our supplies from the carriages.” With that, he firmly nodded at them before departing and proceeding to enter their base, leaving them out in the open. 

“Guess I better go and help the others then.” Hanji declared as she flashed them all an impish grin. “Have fun and see you around!” 

And then there were three.

Piper observed Hanji’s diminishing figure as she joyously half-skipped towards the parked carriages, eager to meet up with the rest of their entourage. The sun had finally descended below the walls and twilight had begun to slowly creep in. It was a comforting and serene sight, one she had wanted to imprint at the back of her head for the rest of eternity.

This was the longest they had been aboveground while the sun was still out. Back in the day, none of them could stay out in the open for too long as they were actively hunted by the Military Police. Furthermore, sneaking past the tollgates of the Underground was no easy feat; their ragtag group had to perfectly time their escapes to the guards’ change of shifts, and their window was dangerously narrow. They had to act and move fast as the consequences of getting caught were as grave as any other capital crime.

Given this, most of their time spent above occurred during the nighttime. Sneaking aboveground in the middle of the night was easier as patrols were limited and stretched thin, and the darkness provided them the perfect camouflage. Hence, their midnight escapades were eventful and packed to the brim as they all tried to smuggle (or assassinate) as many people as they could; the more jobs and contracts they could accomplish in the dead of night, the better. 

Despite their hectic schedules, Piper spent a healthy amount of time gazing at the numerous silver speckles that littered the sky when she had the chance. The midnight sky was a magnificent sight, and she’s always had a fascination for the stars; she never wanted to waste the opportunity to stare up to the heavens above.

All in all, compared to the rest of the Underground’s inhabitants, they were still fortunate enough to have spent some time aboveground. Still, seeing all of this while there was light in the sky; it was a different thing altogether. 

“What the hell are you waiting for? Titans to fall from the sky?” Levi sharply called, already by the door. “Get moving. I have to show you two brats around.” 

“Come on,” Julia snickered as she gingerly nudged Piper, shaking her out of her trance. “That sight’s not going anywhere. We’ll have plenty of time to appreciate that- up to the point where we may even grow sick of it.” 

“Yeah.” Piper replied as they both made their way towards Levi. He was already proving to be a difficult individual; the chances of her getting along decently with him were little to none, given that it was pretty much a mutual agreement that they despised each other’s presence. She may not have verbally declared it yet, but body language was a reliable form of communication. Judging by the distance between them and the unease that settled in-between, he received the message loud and clear.

Levi held the door for them as they stepped inside, and Piper was immediately stunned by the sight that greeted her. The interior of the building was a lot bigger than she initially expected, and she felt dwarfed in comparison to the scale of everything (to be fair, she was already lacking at the height department, so the bar was set pretty low). The interior aesthetic was warmer and more worn-down than she envisioned: dark, rickety wooden floorboards that creaked with every step they took, high mahogany ceilings adorned with dusty gothic chandeliers, massive windows lined with velvet, crimson drapery, and walnut walls peppered with framed documents, newspaper articles, occasional paintings or illustrations of soldiers or important figures, various medals, and vintage models of uniforms or weaponry. Once more, it was a stark contrast to the clean and minimalist architecture and interior design of the official establishments in Mitras. 

The bourgeoisie loved their whites and greys and their lack of decor. Oh, they’d probably faint at the sight of oakwood or a rusty blade hung on their pristine, white walls. The stuff of nightmares. 

Frankly enough, their headquarters was heavily reminiscent of her old home and her forgotten days; less problematic times in which her innocence and naivete were intact, and she was plagued by shallow, childish worries instead of the unthinkable uncertainties tomorrow may bring. The good old days. Papa always appreciated intricate wooden furniture and darker interiors. He would’ve loved to have seen this place. 

It felt less like a military establishment and more like an abandoned castle. They had multiple libraries decked from floor to ceiling with various books and documents, and she was certain that their merry little band at one point walked past a music room with a grand piano. She didn’t understand the need for the piano especially in a military setting, or why they would invest in one in the first place when they had more important things to spend their sparse funds on, but she didn’t care enough to bother Levi with an inquiry. For what it’s worth, at least she finally had the opportunity to teach herself how to play the piano- if the thing was still functional, considering the amount of dust and grime that coated almost everything they stumbled into.

The three of them had been walking around for quite some time now, and Levi hadn’t muttered a single word since they entered the area. He didn’t strike her as the talkative type anyways, and for that she was glad. However, she was still apprehensive of him. They’d barely known each other for an hour, and yet the friction between them was distinguishable. Working with him (or under him) would prove to be challenging if their current situation and jagged relationship progressed. Another pain in the ass to worry about.

Piper huffed irritatedly when they rounded what appeared to have been their fourth corridor (she wasn’t sure anymore, she’d lost track of their location- the layout was built like a hedge maze). Levi’s lack of commentary was irksome, considering that they were supposed to be “on tour”, and he was supposed to show them the area so they could be more familiar with it. 

Some tour guide you are , she thought bitterly to herself as she eyed the back of his head. Might as well call this a walking simulator since you’re barely even telling us where we are. Eventually, Piper noticed that the corridor they were walking connected to a bigger area, and she immediately caught sight of what appeared to be a large supply room or a warehouse. It didn’t take long for them to reach the end of the corridor, and soon they found themselves entering the space, the warm glow of the lit chandelier suspended above its high ceiling cascading upon every corner of the room. 

Piper idly watched as Levi approached the wooden counter that separated them from the rest of the room. Immediately, he positioned himself and firmly knocked on the surface. The individual situated behind the counter immediately stood up at the sight and sound of his presence, alert and ready for whatever demands were about to be requested.

“Give me a set of uniforms for these two.” Levi spoke as he gestured towards them.

“Recruits, sir?” The officer inquired, shifting his attention to the two of them. “Didn’t think we’d be expecting at this time of the year.”

“Erwin dragged them along with him from Mitras.” He explained uncaringly as he began to drum his fingers on the countertop. Piper noticed that his eyes were fixated on her once more, and she felt the same undecipherable sensation creeping back at her. It was unsettling, and Piper detested it, but she wasn’t planning on faltering under his hawk-like stare, so she held his gaze, intending to catch him off guard. If you have a thing or two to say, fucking say it. Don’t stare me down like a bug under your shoe.

“Very well, it’s nice to meet both of you.” The officer acknowledged before disappearing to the back to retrieve said uniforms. He re-emerged moments later, lugging along with him an overflowing stack of fabrics, leathers, and boots. The poor fellow looked like he was about to spill the bundle of items everywhere, and Piper felt bad for her sudden urge to snicker at the awkward sight. Gotta give the guy credit for somehow managing to obtain everything in one trip. 

“Two sets of uniforms as requested- a small for the blonde and a medium for the redhead. Feel free to come back and have the sizes changed if you find that they don’t fit that well,” the pleasant logistician stated as he handed them the bundles. “Ill-fitting uniforms tend to be a high safety hazard.” 

“Your rooms are this way, follow me.” Levi declared as they finished collecting their new effects. A few familiar corridors and one staircase later, they found themselves staring down a hallway of doors, every single one of them distinctly labeled or shut closed, save for two consecutive doors further down the hall. It appeared that someone else had already arrived to check the vacant rooms out and assign their quarters; situated near the open doors were crates that stored their possessions.

Piper made her way past the two of them and proceeded to her designated space, marked by her own crates. There was nothing spectacular about the room; everything about it was bleak and murky- a stark contrast to the interior of the hallways and the corridors. Compared to the other areas in the fort that was somehow well-maintained or in the process of restoration, it seemed that no one had attempted to clean or check up on the space ever since they settled into this base a few weeks back.

All of the furniture inside was covered in a blanket of cloth, save for the bed with the crisp white sheets in the far right corner of the room. One by one, Piper removed the off-white covers, disturbing the untouched layer of dust that had settled onto the fabrics. A gust of air blew through from the open window and dispersed the particles into the air, causing her to violently sneeze. 

“Shit, this place is filthy,” she mumbled to herself as her eyes watered and her nose flared. When the dust finally settled, Piper noticed that the air inside reeked of an odd mixture of bleach, mold, old parchment and wood. As she walked around, she realized that the floorboards were notably creakier than the ones outside. The plain oak desk to her right harbored faint scratches and scuff marks on its surface, serving as a timely souvenir from its previous user. The white walls had also turned a yellowish white-grey and had a few chips and imperfections- none of which were too big and displeasing to the eye, thankfully.

The only things that seemed to be in perfect condition were her bed, the nightstand, and the closet by the left side of the door. Despite its semi-neglected state, it had all the necessary amenities- a good scrubbing or two, and her quarters would be perfect. Aside from that, Piper was simply glad that she had her own private space; she was dreading the idea of having to be barracked with other soldiers, but thankfully that wasn’t the case in their headquarters.

Piper mindlessly lifted her crates and placed them on top of the oak desk before exiting the room to meet up with the two she had left earlier. She stumbled into Julia who was leaning against the doorframe of her own room, idly tugging at the seam of her cardigan, but Levi was nowhere to be found. 

“He said he’ll be back,” Julia explained as she left her spot and brushed past Piper to check out her room. “You seemed a little preoccupied over there, so he decided to just leave. Everything okay?”

Not really , she thought bitterly to herself as she met Julia’s concerned gaze. She couldn’t understand how Julia managed to maintain her cheerful disposition, despite everything that had transpired. She even seemed glad to be in their current situation, despite being dragged into the mess against her will. It didn’t make sense for Julia to continue to fret about her, considering that she’d nearly sent her to her death, all for the sake of achieving a selfish ambition. You should be mad. Why aren’t you?

“You’ve been brooding a lot today,” the redhead aired as she walked over to the stack of crates Piper discarded on the table. “Come on, what’s bothering you?”

“This entire day's bothering me,” Piper grimaced as she took her place beside Julia, watching as she rummaged through her crates one by one, in search for something. “Everything didn’t go according to plan.” 

“That we can agree on. Today’s a fucking mess,” she smiled ruefully as she brought out an old photograph from the stack, its edges worn and damaged. “But that’s definitely not it. Talk to me.”

Persistent as ever, huh? Piper disdainfully gripped the edges of the table, struggling with her thoughts and her feelings. 

“Aren’t you mad?” She questioned numbly, unwilling to let her guilt and frustration manifest in her tone. She hated expressing her feelings and exposing her vulnerable side, even to Julia.

“I was earlier,” Julia admitted as she fiddled with the faded photograph. “Back in the plaza, I was seriously contemplating punching your face in. Of course, I couldn’t since I was pinned to the ground by those two sweaty assholes. I told you from the start that the job was suspicious, but you didn’t listen, so I despised you at that moment.”  

“I was also pissed at you for dragging me into this god-forsaken branch. I couldn’t tell if being titan fodder was a better fate than being sent to the gallows,” she continued. “But- albeit recklessly- you still gave both of us the chance to live and see the light of day, even if our time here may be limited. So no, I’m not mad. I’m thankful for this, actually.” 

“Besides, this was Harry’s dream. He would’ve been glad to be here, despite the sticky situation.” Julia finished and chuckled sincerely as she handed over the worn photograph to Piper. 

Piper was shocked when she recognized the image Julia had been fiddling. She thought she’d lost it some time ago, so seeing and holding the treasured piece of paper after all those years came as an utter surprise for her. A sullen smile crossed her face as she observed the four figures standing side by side, happy and content with each other’s company. Just a bunch of bright-eyed, up-to-no-good teenagers arrogantly brandishing their weapons and donning stupid grins, save for one who refused to smile, and another who didn’t know how to.

“I stumbled into that earlier while Mike was helping me out in the shack,” Julia grinned as she scooted closer to take a better look at the photograph. “Mike’s a bit eccentric with this sniffing habit of his, but he’s pretty damn helpful. He found that old shithead underneath Aidan’s old stash- it must’ve fallen through the floorboards. How long’s it been since we’d last seen that picture anyways?”

“A good four years? I dunno. It’s been ages.” She responded as her eyes landed on the faded scribble underneath the image. A wave of nostalgia struck her as she skimmed the inscription, the hasty yet pleasant penmanship bringing back memories she’d buried long ago. 

Leisman Company, 837. We’re family.

H. Leisman, P. Brunswick, J. Hartmann, A. Shevchenko

“Good times, right?” Julia laughed as she stared at their younger, brighter faces. “That’s why I’m not mad at you. I realized that we’re just carrying out Harry’s dream, six years late.” 

Don’t even think about crying over a stupid photograph, Piper. You’d be hitting rock bottom if you do .

“Stop beating yourself up, alright? Shit happens. There’s no use crying over spilled milk.” She stated once more as she placed a reassuring hand on Piper’s shoulder. “Let’s just make the most out of it.” 

“Alright. If it means you’ll stop being all mushy then fine,” she acquiesced, gently swatting away Julia’s hand. “Now are you just gonna stand there like an emotional dumbass, or are you planning to help me out with all of this?” 

“Fine, mood-killer. I’ll help you,” Julia laughed as she left her post and made her way towards the discarded covers. “If you say the magic word.”

“Idiot, just fold those goddamn covers and help me dust out the room.”

“That’s not the magic word! Come on, where are your manners, Pipes?”

“Just fold it or leave the fucking room-”

“Hey,” the sound of Levi’s sharp voice cut through the room, prematurely interrupting their playful exchange. “What the hell are you two doing? Didn’t I tell you to clean this filth up while I was gone?” 

Who's the mood-killer now, huh?

“What do you think we’re doing?” Piper retorted, cocking an eyebrow. Immediately, Julia nudged her and shot her a sideward glare, indirectly telling her to just shut up and let her do the talking. She then proceeded to chuckle nervously before rubbing the back of her neck, an apologetic smile suddenly plastered on her face. “Right, sorry about that, I was just helping Piper out,” she declared as she motioned towards the stack of crates on the table and the covers carelessly discarded in one corner. “Her room’s a mess.” 

“Damn right it is.” He grimaced as he inspected the wall before swiping his hand against it, thoroughly disgusted by the amount of dust it left on his palm. He shook his head and let out a bothered tch as he wiped his hand before facing the two of them again. 

“Erwin’s given me the rundown of your profiles, along with our brand new tasks. We’ve got a rigorous day up ahead, so don’t even think about staying up too late. I don’t intend to waste my time pounding at your doors.” he started, frowning as he continued to skim the items littered all over. “He also told me to give this back to you.”

Piper watched as he fished around in his breast pocket before eventually bringing out her balisong. The knife had slipped out of her mind entirely, so it took her a moment to process what he was holding. She was also caught off-guard when he suddenly threw it towards her, nearly missing the item and barely catching it with her hands. 

“Don’t even think about using that on anyone here,” he remarked, watching as she spun the knife open. “One wrong move and I won’t hesitate to send you back to those interior dogs.”

Interior dogs, I like that . Piper smirked as she eventually spun the knife close before tucking it in her pocket. Guess he despises those incompetent bastards too. At least that's one thing we have in common. 

“Still, despite his ramblings about your skills and potentials,” Levi continued, “I can’t say that I agree with Erwin picking up and wasting valuable resources on delinquents like you, but he has his reasons, and I trust his overall judgement.” Despite the condescending and harsh words that escaped his mouth, Piper couldn’t help but notice the faint falter in his pointed glare. Perhaps it was due to the shifty lighting, or probably just her mind playing tricks with her, but for a brief moment, he seemed pained by his own words, as if he never really meant them.

“Dinner’s being served in the mess hall.” He eventually stated before turning on his heel and proceeding to leave the room. “Hurry downstairs if you plan on grabbing something to eat. The servings run out pretty quick.” 

“So, you coming?” Julia immediately inquired afterwards as she headed for the entrance, surprisingly unfazed by his harsh remark about them.

“You go on ahead if you want,” Piper replied, drained as she remained in her place. “I’m calling it a night.”

“I’ll save you a plate for tomorrow if it's even allowed.”

“I’m good. Don’t worry about it.”

“If you say so,” Julia resigned as she exited the room. “Goodnight Pipes.”

She couldn’t be bothered with dinner; her exhaustion had trumped her hunger, and she needed some time alone. The mere thought of having to forcefully interact and share a meal with strangers down in the mess hall put her off, and she preferred to relish in the quiet solitude of her room, despite it being an absolute mess. 

Piper lingered near the table and found herself occupied with the sepia-hued photograph yet again. It was a bittersweet reminder of the past, a time in her life she’d yearned to bring back but at the same time forget about entirely. After several minutes, she decided to leave the image inside one of the books in her crate and made a mental note to remember to retrieve the image in the succeeding day; she wasn’t planning on losing the memento again.

It was still relatively early in the evening, but she was finding it more difficult to resist the call of her bed. Her body was demanding for well-deserved shut-eye, but her mind was protesting and telling her otherwise; she found herself torn between finally crashing down or just idly tinkering around her room to pass time. Besides, the area was still relatively filthy, and her belongings were still scattered around. There was still much to do to make her quarters presentable, and she was certain Levi would throw another fit if he’d barged in again in the morning, only to see that the place was still in the same sorry state. Julia wouldn’t be able to vouch for her anymore by then. 

Fuck it, I’ll clean the rest tomorrow. Not like he could do anything about it. 

And so it was decided right there and then; sleep above everything else.

Piper then blew out the candles on the lamp on top of the nightstand and aimlessly kicked off her boots before crashing down on the mattress, taken aback by how surprisingly soft and clean it felt- she hasn’t had a bed that soft in so long, and it felt like heaven. The enveloping darkness accompanied by the faint moonlight peeking from the window served as her sole companions as she felt her eyelids gradually become heavier. It didn’t take long for her to close her eyes, and soon she found herself effortlessly drifting away into deep slumber. 

May tomorrow be more merciful to our penitent asses.

Notes:

God this chapter is overdue, I'm so sorry >_<

A lot of things happened in the past few weeks, so I was pretty occupied and didn't have much time to work on this chap.

Anyways things have somehow smoothened out a bit, so I'll be back to my regular schedule (unless life fucks me over again lmao)

Hope you all enjoyed :)

Chapter 5: Hinge

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Remember Piper,” her father spoke as he knelt down and firmly rested his calloused palms on her small shoulders, leveling himself to meet her astonished gaze. “We’re Brunswicks. When faced with moments of adversity, we stand our ground.” 

“Stand our ground!” she repeated with vigor and enthusiasm as she stood up straight and resolutely stuck out her chest, prompting a soft smile from her weary father. She was oblivious to the weight and complexity of the meaning behind those words, but it didn’t matter to her as she proudly held her head up. 

“That’s right, Pup.” he smiled as he patted her head and pulled her close, blinking back the tears that welled in his eyes. “Stand your ground, and never falter.”


“Get up and meet me in the courtyard in twenty minutes. I’m not asking twice.” Levi’s harsh voice accompanied by his rapid, aggressive knocking resonated throughout the silent room, stirring Piper from her sleep. It was far too early in the morning for his loud commotion, and a bothersome headache began to form as she turned to the other side of the bed and burrowed her head in her pillow, hoping that the cushion would muffle out the noise from Levi’s obnoxious knocking. The obnoxious pounding persisted, and Piper agitatedly gripped the edges of her blanket as the throbbing in her head amplified.

“You’re not even asking to begin with, asshat!” she groaned in response, groggily hurling a pillow towards the door. The lump of cotton she had been relishing moments prior crashed against the wooden divider with a quiet thump, softly rattling the frame before slowly descending and settling at its base. Talk about having the worst wake up call in humanity.

Sunlight leaked through the window and poured into the entire setting, and her sleepy eyes struggled to readjust to the blinding lights. Piper cursed under her breath as she rubbed away the lingering sleep from her eyes, irritated by the brightness and the noise from earlier. She then threw aside the covers and swung her legs off the bed, immediately taken by surprise when her feet landed on the cold floorboards. 

The abrupt contact of the chilled wood against her bare feet really did the trick this time and shocked her awake, causing her to gasp and recoil her feet in response to the biting sensation. Piper curiously looked around in hopes of distinguishing the cause for the floorboards to chill overnight, and the flutter of the sheer curtains against the gentle breeze brought her attention to the culprit, prompting her to sigh defeatedly upon noticing that she had left the window open. 

“No fucking wonder,” she half-sighed as she slammed it shut. “No fucking wonder you idiot.”

Upon recovering from the shock of the cold floorboards and her horrible wake-up call, Piper mechanically approached the wooden closet she’d left her new uniforms in and took out a set, quietly admiring their quality and craftsmanship as she took off her clothes and slipped the fresh garments on. Figuring out how to properly detangle and strap together the leather harness was not an easy feat, and she cursed to herself as she worked her way through the various straps that hugged and crossed at different sections of her body. Eventually, she managed to figure out the entire harness, and Piper was relieved to discover that everything fit her snugly. At least she didn’t have to go through the hassle of heading back to the armory and having them replaced or altered. 

As she slid her arms through the sleeves of her canvas-colored jacket, she couldn’t help but notice her startling reflection on the mirror. The person that stood before her was nearly unrecognizable: she was rigid, put-together, and reformed, a stark contrast to the shaggy, brusque, and unrefined self she and others were well-accustomed with. Much to her disbelief, the ensemble fit her like a glove- as if it were naturally made for her from the very start, and she was well-suited for the tremendous duty her uniform entailed. Piper honestly would’ve believed that she was looking at an entirely different person, had it not been for the unruly locks partially obscured her face and the dulled hazel eyes that stared right back at her. 

Look at you , she chuckled unbelievably as she turned to get a better look at the emblem on her back. A full-fledged scout. Who would’ve known. 

“Live up to it,” she reassured herself as she stepped out of her quarters and slammed the door shut, feeling a strong surge of determination. “Live up to those bloody wings of yours.” 

Piper went on her way and headed down the main corridor, tracing back her steps as she attempted to navigate the headquarters in hopes of locating the exit that would lead to the courtyard. She intentionally ignored the soldiers who pleasantly greeted her as she made her way through the complex, unwilling to engage in any form of social interaction due to her unpleasant mood. She eventually spotted the double doors she had been searching for and brushed through them, stepping into the open field where she immediately spotted Levi who was leaning against a pole in the near distance. Julia on the other hand was nowhere to be found, and this piqued her curiosity.

“You’re late.” he coldy declared to her as she approached, maintaining his attention on the clipboard he held. “Didn’t I tell you not to keep me waiting?” 

“I hit a snag with my uniform earlier,” she excused, keeping her tone leveled as he purposely ignored her and continued to scribble on the clipboard. He was getting on her nerves, but she really wasn’t in the mood to stir up an altercation with him. “Had to figure out how to put this harness on.” 

The only response she managed to wrangle out of him with her explanation was his usual, irritated “Tch” as he paid her little attention and remained preoccupied with the clipboard, irking her further. What’s on that board for you to be so heavily engrossed with it anyway? Porn? Those obnoxious Order of the Walls pastors' juicy scandals and controversies? 

“Where’s Julia?” she wondered as she broke the silence that settled between them and scanned the vicinity in the hopes of locating her friend. “I thought you were supposed to keep an eye on both of us.” 

“Erwin’s got a job or two for her. He’ll be supervising her training today.” Levi replied dryly as he set the clipboard down on the table adjacent to them and faced her, the same impassive scowl etched onto his face.

Oh great. I have to deal with you on my own now. 

Levi stared her down head to toe, critically inspecting her overall ensemble for misplaced buckles, unfastened straps, or mismatched pieces. It didn’t take long for his grimace to deepen, and Piper took it as a telltale sign that he had discovered something unsatisfactory about her current presence.

“Your hair’s too long,” he commented as he disapprovingly swatted away a lock of her hair. “Tie it up or cut it. It’ll get in the way.” 

Of course it has to do with the hair , Piper thought as she knowingly glanced at her unruly strands, watching as they landed just above her bust strap, evidently exceeding the acceptable length. Truth be told, her hair had been bothering her for quite some time now, and she had intended to shear a couple of inches off, but she never found the time nor the opportunity to do so. Besides, Levi’s request (or demand) was entirely reasonable; with the current length and state of her hair, it was just a matter of time before it got caught up in the wires of her ODM or any of the training gear. Getting accidentally scalped in the heat of battle or in the midst of training was not an entertaining thought, nor was it a dignifying way to die. 

Very well then. Off with the hair.  

“Alright,” she exhaled, acknowledging his order. She began to hastily bundle and gather her hair up in a haphazard ponytail, initially intending to use her balisong to shear the messy locks off. However, a bolder idea crossed her mind when her eyes landed onto his maneuver gear, spotting the fresh, sheathed blades. Piper cautiously watched as Levi disinterestedly diverted his attention back to the clipboard he placed on the table, providing her with the window she needed. Seizing her opportunity, she hurriedly ducked and snatched one of the holstered blades before proceeding to angle it against her bundled hair, startling him as she effortlessly hacked at the gathered locks in one fell swoop. 

Levi shockingly observed the tufts of hair that had gathered at her feet, appalled by her brash move. He stared at her wide-eyed with his lips slightly parted, and Piper shoved back the smirk that threatened to form as the initial shock wore off his face and he shot her a disgruntled frown, disapproval written all over his cold eyes as they narrowed down into sharp slits. 

“Your cut’s atrocious,” he sighed, irritatedly pinching the bridge of his nose and frowning at her as she gathered the fallen clumps and idly lifted a chopped section of her hair, unfazed. “You look like shit.”

“I’m well aware of that,” she shrugged, unaffected by the ordeal as she placed the blade on the table, the early morning sunlight bouncing off of its reflective surface and back to them. “Didn’t have a mirror to work with, so I had to make do.”

Levi shook his head in disbelief as he retrieved the blade and swiftly sheathed it back into its slot in his gear, staring as she wordlessly turned on her heel and brushed past him. “Where do you think you’re going?” he questioned sharply as she began to strut off.

“I’ll be back, don’t worry.” Piper casually declared as she headed for the entrance. “Just heading to the bathroom to clean this up.” She hurriedly re-entered the building and jogged to the bathroom, intent on disposing of the clumps she was holding and immediately obtaining a glimpse of her sheared hair so she could apply the necessary trims and adjustments that would help even it out. It was pretty obvious from the get-go that the resulting outcome would be terrible, given the odd angle and the unconventional method she had used, and it was certainly going to take a lot of time and effort on her end to make it look presentable, but she didn’t care. At least she’d finally chopped off the stubborn locks- it had been a long time coming. 

Piper pushed the bathroom door open and entered, instinctively averting her eyes from the polished mirror as she dumped the sheared bits of her hair in the trash bin and inspected the area to see if anyone else was around. Deep down, she was conceitedly worried about the state of her hair, and all the pessimistic thoughts loudly racked at her brain as she prepared herself for the reveal.

“It couldn’t be that bad, right?” she mumbled as she turned to the mirror, her wishful plea falling on deaf ears as she realized the extent of irreparable damage she’d inflicted on her hair. Oh it’s bad. Very bad.

“Guess it’s my turn to be mortified now, huh?” she expressed bitterly to herself as she lifted a massacred section, regretful of her actions. The sheared output was horribly uneven and choppy, with multiple sections being drastically shorter than the rest. In Levi’s words, it’s atrocious, and I look like shit. 

Piper disdainfully fished for the balisong in her pocket and flipped it open, testing its edge to see if it was sharp enough to nick at the ragged edges of her hair. “No use crying over spilled milk,” she uttered as she began to hack at the edges.

What the hell am I doing? she jadedly thought as she stared at herself, cynical that the state of her hair was going to improve. Idiot, you’re making it worse. 

True enough, she was further aggravating the battered state of her tresses as she continued her attempt to fix things, the overall length of her hair growing irrevocably shorter as the pale clumps of hair gathered and fell on the sink in front of her. She was too preoccupied that she hadn’t noticed that another figure was present, causing her to jerk the knife in surprise and nearly slash a large portion off when the sound of a flushing toilet sounded throughout the room and one of the stall doors opened, revealing the additional presence to be Julia.

“What the- Piper!” she exclaimed, staggering backward into the stall as she recognized the unfolding horror. “What happened to your hair?!”

Piper sighed heavily and placed the balisong on the counter of the sink as Julia hurriedly approached, petrified. “I cut my hair.” she flatly muttered, averting her eyes from Julia’s frantic orbs. 

“With what?!” 

“One of Levi’s blades.” 

“Have you lost your mind?”

“Perhaps?” Piper replied as she picked up the knife and positioned it back at her hair, resuming her attempt to remedy the mishap. “It’s hard to tell nowadays.” 

“Are you kidding- fuck , Pipes just stop,” Julia groaned as she shook her head, vexed. “Give me that,” she added as she pried the balisong off Piper’s hands, insisting on lending a hand and improving the pitiful state of her hair. “And keep still. I’ll try to fix this mess.” 

Piper yielded and silently watched from the mirror as Julia dourly trimmed the uneven edges, the slick swishes of her knife filling the quiet atmosphere of the bathroom. Periodically, Julia would hesitantly toss sheared tufts of her hair onto the sink, remorseful as they circled the drain before resuming with another round of nicks and slices. A couple more minutes passed, and Julia finally finished and handed back the knife with a flounce. 

“Alright,” she spoke, exhausted. “That’s as even as it could get. It’s way too short for my liking, but surprisingly, it suits you.” 

“I could’ve handled it,” Piper responded as she tucked away the abundant new fringes that had formed from the debacle. “But thanks.”

“Hold on, I’m not done,” Julia blurted as she steadied her. “I’ve got something for those fringes. Give me a second, and you’ll be thanking me later.” 

“I’m in a bit of a rush-” 

“Just sit still, and let me handle this.” Julia insisted as she hastily gathered and pulled Piper’s fringes to the back of her head. Piper cocked an eyebrow as Julia swiftly wove the pieces together, itching to catch a glimpse of what she was doing.

“There, dainty and practical,” Julia spoke shortly afterwards as she gave Piper’s hair one final tug before releasing it, satisfied with her handiwork. “It’s not much, but it does the trick.”

“What is it?” Piper inquired as she tried to feel the back of her head. “What did you do?”

“It’s a half-braid to keep most of your hair away from your face,” she replied as she aided Piper and helped her get a better look at it. “Naturally, some of the shorter bits couldn’t be included. I’ll teach you how to replicate it later, after our training.” 

“It’s… girly.” she trailed, unsure of how to feel as she tried to register her transformed appearance. Gone were the long and unruly pale blonde locks from earlier; her sheared hair hovered a few inches above her shoulders, held together by the half-braid Julia created while her shorter fringes fell towards her face, softly framing it. Her reflection looked even more foreign to her now than it did earlier when she first donned the uniform. It’s like I’m a completely different person now. 

“Yes I know, I’m amazing.” Julia smugly expressed as she patted Piper’s back. “But seriously, get a move on already. Erwin’s gonna kill me for stalling in this bathroom. Besides, don’t you have somewhere else to be?” 

“Well, I-”

“Oops, no time!” she interrupted as she hurriedly shoved Piper out of the room before shutting the door in front of her face. Piper smiled and shook her head, appreciative of her friend’s antics as she returned to the courtyard. Guess I owe her one. 

Just as she had expected, Levi hadn’t budged from his place, and his narrow eyes slightly widened as he recognized her tidied state. “Took you long enough,” he grumbled as he examined her appearance with the slightest hint of amusement. “And not bad, Brunswick.”

“I thought you said it looked like shit.” 

“Miraculously, you managed to transform a steaming pile of shit. It suits you.” 

“A compliment? From you?” Piper smirked as she placed a hand on her hip, puzzled by his shift in demeanor. Is he finally dropping the edgy, egotistical stunt and acting like a decent human being? “My, I’m shocked. Did you hit your head while I was gone, midget?” 

“Tch. Don’t let it get to your head, brat.” he shot back as he made his way over to the massive training post, Piper following in pursuit. Nevermind. Spoke too soon. “And it’s Captain Levi,” he scoffed, unappreciative of her snide remark. “Learn some fucking manners.” 

“Alright, whatever you say, Captain ,” she muttered spitefully as she dismissively waved her hand, rolling her eyes the moment he turned his back from her. Someone’s a bit touchy about their height. 

“This right here is a mechanism we use for mobility training,” Levi explained as he passive-aggressively pounded his fist against one of the pillars, testing its sturdiness. “It replicates the experience of using ODM and tests your aptitude. It’s the most basic form of training, one that should be a walk in the park for you, given your extensive track record.”

“Head to the middle and fasten the hooks of the wires onto the hooks of your belt,” he ordered to her, his surly disposition re-emerging as he watched her appropriately adjust the devices to her fit. The moment she’d finished fastening the hooks and securing the necessary wires, Levi sternly nodded and gestured to her as he made his way over to the reel at the backmost pillar, signaling that he was about to begin the exercise. Piper on the other hand curiously stared at him as he pushed the handle downwards in an attempt to spin the reel, only for it to harshly creak and resist the motion entirely, evoking a frown from the captain. 

“What’s the matter?” she called as he tugged at the reel once more, but to no avail. “Having a bit of trouble?” 

Midget, there’s a lock to that reel. It’s a safety precaution, she wanted to declare and point out for him, but she found satisfaction in watching him lose his composure as he agitatedly struggled with the gear. Piper amusingly observed as Levi continued to budge at the contraption, his irritation growing more apparent as the seconds passed. It didn’t take long for him to resort to kicking at the god-forsaken reel with hopes that the blunt force would free the unmoving mechanism, preventing her from containing the smirk that itched to form on the corners of her mouth as he cursed under his breath.

“Didn’t they teach you guys how to handle this in the Training Corps?” she questioned out loud as she gave in and withdrew from her spot, finally approaching him as he continued his losing battle against the unyielding device. He gave no verbal response and instead shot her daggers, displeased as she bent over and reached for the hinge that was inconveniently obstructed by the mechanism’s handle. With one swift tug, a satisfying click emanated from the reel as she yanked the piece of metal away, and the jammed contraption finally released itself and dislodged from its position.

“Use your eyes next time,” she chided as she grabbed his hand and dropped the metal piece on his palm, her hands accidentally brushing against his. “And make sure to secure that shitty piece of scrap. It’s a locking mechanism that preserves the gears inside when the entire device isn’t being used.” She didn’t think much of her gesture, but Levi immediately snatched his hand away from hers before shooting her a dark look, feeling invaded. 

“You never went through the Cadet Corps,” he probed after they both recovered, his steely eyes narrowing in suspicion as he watched her realign the gear and pop the reel back into place. “How did you know about this?”

“My father was the chief engineer for one of the military’s main suppliers,” Piper flatly explained as she inspected the different components before testing them out, ensuring that everything was working correctly. “He oversaw development on various equipment and weaponry, so I spent a lot of time back in the day watching him tinker around with these things or test out prototypes for you guys.”

Something must’ve clicked at the back of his head the moment she revealed that trivial piece of information about her, and Piper could’ve sworn that she had noticed the faintest glint of recognition settle in his unreadable eyes. For a split second, she was certain that his expression softened towards her, but Levi was quick to recognize his falter, and the fleeting expression was replaced by the same penetrating and unreadable stare he’d presented her when they first met. 

“Oh?” he muttered, the tone of his voice alarmingly suspicious. There’s that stupid look again. That bone-chilling gaze. “I thought you were from the Underground?”

“I didn’t reside in the Underground all my life, you know,” Piper responded as she tried to brush the uncomfortable feeling off, averting her eyes from his. “Surprising as it may be, but I had a pretty normal childhood, for the most part. Shocking right?” 

“What happened?”

What happened? Is he being serious right now? 

I’m sure anyone with a working brain could deduce that some shit went down in a person’s past if they resorted to a life of crime afterwards. How dense could this fucker be? 

“Life happened,” she spoke coolly, masking the pain that bubbled within her as she bitterly recalled her past. “Those days I spent with my father? It’s a thing of the past- one that’s dead and gone. That’s all you’re ever getting out of me.” 

Her past was a deeply guarded secret, one she’d gone through great lengths to bury and mask to protect herself. She had only revealed the bit about her father as she thought nothing of it and believed that it no longer mattered now that she was under the “protection” of the Survey Corps, but it was clearly an error in judgment on her part. Levi showed no further interest or attempt in pushing the conversation, but she couldn’t shake the nasty feeling that he was now onto her. He had been highly skeptical of her presence since the very beginning, and it appeared as though he had even known her from all the way back; this notion deeply troubled her. Her little revelation was akin to the final nail to the coffin, one that confirmed a suspicion he had been harboring from the very start. Besides, she knew that he was the persistent type, and that this was truly not the end of their conversation; he was bound to bring it up again in the near future. 

“Fine, I won’t pry.” he resigned as he repositioned his hands on the reel and watched her reattach the wires, anticipating her signal to begin the exercise. “Now, when you feel the wires tightening, engage your core, and focus your weight and balance towards your waist and the back of your legs. Try not to panic if you feel yourself teetering over and pivot your hips in the opposite direction to keep yourself upright.” 

“Spare me the lengthy details. I know what to do,” Piper replied, signaling for him to begin. He began to reel the wires in, and Piper quietly listened as the scratching sound of the gears pulling in the wires resonated from the topmost portion of the structure, the gentle breeze swaying her body as her feet slowly left the ground. The distance between her feet and the ground gradually increased as Levi continued to reel her in, and the force the wires exerted on the sides of her waist amplified the higher she ascended. Piper tuned out of her surroundings and focused on the pressure that was building up in various parts of her harness, processing how she was supposed to adjust her position in order to disperse the force equally throughout the different straps that supported her. Feeling a tighter tug towards her back right side, she instinctively shifted her weight forward and pivoted her hip to the left, enabling her to keep her balance centered as she dangled mid-air. 

Levi halted the reel and reinserted the metal hinge back in its slot, locking the mechanism and securing Piper as he left his post in order to closely inspect her form. Despite being suspended several feet off the ground, she’d managed to maintain her composure and effortlessly keep herself upright as if she was well-accustomed to the experience. A stronger gust of wind blew and swayed the wires, and he’d expected her to be knocked over, but Piper simply stiffened her legs and allowed the wind to rock her body, allowing her to sway whilst keeping her entire form upright. Balancing against the wires came as second nature to her, and he recognized this, impressed by her decision to sway with the wind. 

“Seems that you’re a natural after all,” he remarked, observing as she continued to dangle. “Not bad Brunswick, I’m impressed.” 

“Another compliment? From you?” Piper inquired as he unlocked the hinge and began to let her down, sarcastically faking her shock as he continued to unreel the wires. “Dear god I think the heavens above might burst open because of this. Seriously, don’t overdo it. I’m starting to miss your grumpy side.” 

“You’ve earned it, brat. I don’t shy away from acknowledging skill when it’s evident.” Levi scoffed the moment she was back on the ground before turning away from her and picking up the clipboard he’d discarded on the table. “When you’re done freeing yourself, head to the armory, and request for your own maneuver gear. We’ll be training in the trees from now on.” 

Notes:

(The haircut bit is inspired from an actual experience of mine a week ago :'). When you fuck up with cutting your hair, you REALLY fuck up with cutting your hair.)

Unrelated to that, I managed to stumble into the faceclaims of Piper and Julia which I made in artbreeder about a month and a half ago. So yeah, here are my precious girls :D

That's it for today, and I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Kudos and comments are highly appreciated <3

Chapter 6: Pulled Punches

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Piper quietly observed as Harry shuffled and readjusted his stance in front of her.

“Always keep your guard up,” he demonstrated, raising his hands in a defensive position. “A horrible defense leads to a quick, one-sided fight. Make sure to strongly guard your upper half.”

“Like this?” she wondered as she tried her hand at mimicking his stance and readjusted herself accordingly. 

“Ball your fists and keep your elbows leveled with your shoulders,” he pointed as he jerked her elbows upwards. “There we go, now, make sure your dominant foot is a step behind- that’s right, just like that. Alright, now try to kick this knife off my hand with all your might, and try not to bend your left knee while doing so.” 

“I can’t reach that, Harry,” she declared as he raised the knife-bearing hand. “You’re too tall.”

“Piper, I’ve seen you disarm and throw men twice your size,” he spoke as-a-matter-of-factly. “I know you could do it. Just build your momentum.”

“If you’re fucking around with me-”

“You grabbed me by the collar the other night and begged me to give you pointers, so you could better defend yourself, right?” Harry questioned as he cocked an impatient eyebrow. “Well, here I am. Doing exactly that. Now come on, kick me, and give it all you’ve got.”

Piper kept her eyes fixated on the raised knife as she collected herself and readjusted her footwork. Drawing a sharp breath, she swung her foot back as he had instructed before throwing it with all her might towards the knife, dislodging it from Harry’s raised hand and successfully hurling it to the side of the pavement.

“How’s that for a first attempt?” Harry chuckled as he rubbed at his impacted hand, tending to it. “You’re a natural, and boy can you kick too!”

“Better think twice if you’re planning on messing with me,” she huffed proudly. “I’ll kick the living shit out of you, if that’s the case.”

“Message received, loud and clear!” he mock-saluted, mirroring the same proud expression on his face. “Now come on, let’s move on to the dirtier tricks of the trade. The basics are just a walk in the park for you.”

 


 

They’ve been training nonstop for three consecutive days now. No rest for the wicked, as they’d say. Her daily regimen was brutal and physically demanding, and Piper was beyond exhausted. Levi had recognized her natural aptitude for omnidirectional maneuver training, and he’d seized every opportunity to test her potential and push her beyond her capabilities. However, the rigorous training was wearing her down, and Piper knew her body was reaching its physical limitations; she needed a fucking break and some time to breathe. 

She spent her entire morning training with Levi in the woods situated directly outside of Trost- he was adamant in beginning their training at the crack of dawn, and she couldn’t refuse. The trees provided the perfect terrain for practicing with the maneuver gear along with testing out a person’s reflexes, and flying through the silent woods at sunrise didn’t seem like such a terrible idea at first despite her body aching and yearning for a few more hours of sleep. Unfortunately, Levi wasn’t planning on letting her off that easy, so he’d decided to spice things up (in his own stubborn, uptight way) by challenging her to keep up with his speed without fully emptying the contents of her gas tanks. This, of course, posed a huge problem for Piper, considering she knew jack shit about maneuver gears and gas consumption.

Sure, she had talent, and she was pretty fast in comparison to her newer counterparts, but she was still a recruit and audaciously green, whereas he had years of training and experience under his belt. Their skills were immensely incomparable, for he was on another level altogether- this she willingly admitted. Hell, Piper was finally beginning to understand the buzz and commotion surrounding the irksome pipsqueak, and the reasons for why Erwin and the other scouts held such high regards for him.  

What seemed like a leisurely trip to the woods and a change of pace in their overbearing schedules ended up becoming an agonizing exercise Piper had to repeat numerous times from the start the moment she fell short of him by a few meters or every time she’d emptied her tanks mid-flight. Besides that, flying and colliding face-first into a huge-ass tree at the speed of about forty miles per hour was another unpleasant experience she had to endure within that morning, and Levi endlessly berating her for her mindlessness instead of lending a hand and assisting her was another factor that drove her on edge. Seriously, kissing a tree isn’t as thrilling as others would make it out to be.

Piper returned to the barracks almost midafternoon, reeking of sweat, panting like a senile man who was asked to run laps, and missing lunchtime entirely; she was an embarrassing, disheveled mess compared to Levi who had barely broken a sweat. The mess hall was devoid of any other person save for her pitiful presence, and all that was left for her to feast on were scraps and leftovers that had grown cold and stale. 

“Beggars can’t be choosers,” she reminded herself as she occupied one of the empty tables and mindlessly poked at the off-putting mush, uncertain if the contents of her tray were still safe for consumption. Her lamentable meal consisted of stale bread that had hardened from being exposed in the open for too long, soggy gravy rice, cold vegetable scraps, along with what appeared to be a bowl of mushroom or potato soup mixed with corn and some unrecognizable chunks. Honestly, the mushroom puree bore an uncanny resemblance to puke on a bowl, and the bizarre stench reduced her appetite and made her eyes water. 

Piper held her breath as she unwillingly shoved a spoonful of the watery grub into her mouth, holding back the urge to gag as she hurriedly chewed and swallowed. Surprisingly, despite its unappetizing appearance, the overall taste wasn’t as bad as she had expected, and the pent-up tension that was building up in her body left as she relaxed. Piper allowed her thoughts to wander off as she continued to disinterestedly probe her food, vision defocusing as she stared blankly at the negative space in front of her. She savored the bareness of the mess hall as she emptied the contents of her tray, thankful for the lack of company and the mid-afternoon glow that coated the vicinity with a golden hue. She finally had some well-deserved peace, even if it was short-lived.

Piper immediately snapped out of her trance when she caught sight of the doors swinging open from her periphery, and the accompanying sounds of heavy footsteps followed suit as another presence graced the hall. She tried to ignore the stranger and continued to gaze at the opposite end of the table but wound up discreetly watching from the corner of her eye as the approaching figure eventually situated themselves directly in front of her, obscuring the afternoon sunlight that poured forth from the windows and occupying the space she was previously gazing at. 

“What do you think you’re doing?”

Ah, it’s Levi.  

Her sour mood worsened as she recognized the temperamental captain’s terse voice, her shoulders tensing at his unbelievable query. “Eating my overdue lunch,” Piper responded blandly as she shoved another spoonful of food, keeping her head hung low and her eyes on the miserable tray. “What do you think I’m doing?” 

“Get up,” he demanded, crossing his arms and tapping his foot impatiently as she sipped the unpleasant-looking soup. “We’re beginning close-combat training.”  

“Listen short stack, it’s been a very long morning, I’m tired, and I’m clearly in the midst of shoving this pitiful slobber down my throat,” she muttered in a low voice, trying her absolute best to be civil as she was exhausted beyond measure to engage in another row with him. “Could you give me a moment? We’ve got the rest of the afternoon and the entire evening to do whatever it is you have in mind.”

“I don’t have time. You’re not my only responsibility, brat.” 

“Midget, it’s past lunch- I haven’t eaten anything since yesterday evening, and I haven’t had proper rest for three consecutive days,” Piper continued to argue through gritted teeth as she clenched her fists underneath the table in hopes of suppressing her annoyance. “And would you quit it with that stupid brat pet name of yours? We’re practically the same age.” 

“Did I permit you to take a break?” Levi questioned sternly, the ire in his tone increasing steadily. “You haven’t earned the right, nor have you proven to me that you deserve one given your mediocre performance. Courtyard. Now. We’re not finished.” 

“Earned the right?” Piper scoffed, aghast. Who does this shithead think he is? God? The king? Value-sized Erwin? “Earned the fucking right? Your superiority complex is jumping out, pissface. What do you think of me, some kind of slave you could just boss around?” 

“You haven’t proven shit, Brunswick!” Levi angrily raised his voice as he slammed his fist on the table, rattling the plates and catching her off-guard. “The only thing you’ve demonstrated to me these past few days is your delinquency and your disrespectful attitude towards your superiors. Learn your fucking place, cadet.” 

You’ve got to be kidding me. 

One minute he’s all ‘never have I ever seen such natural potential in a recruit’, then suddenly he’s all ‘you’re worthless scum who’s barely proven anything’?

Talk about being a walking contradiction. Make up your mind, dipshit.

“Get your filthy hands off the table,” Piper threatened in a low voice, scowling at his hand and the rattled dishes. “You’re disrupting my lunchtime.” 

Levi didn’t take kindly to her response. Frustrated, he slipped a hand underneath the tray and flipped it over, launching its contents in the air and causing them to splash all over Piper and the table as the bowls crashed down. Bits of the miserable goop also splattered onto Levi’s pristine cravat, leaving behind nasty blotches, and he grimaced as he tried to wipe the gunk away. 

Piper was starving, exhausted, infuriated, and drenched from head to toe and reeking of leftover soup and soggy potatoes. The particles began to harden and dry on her shirt and hair, leaving behind a crusty residue and an icky sensation that clung to her now murky-yellow shirt. Piper sneered as she plucked out some of the rice and corn kernels that stuck to her hair, displeased. “That’s it!” she yelled, shooting up from her seat and harshly yanking Levi’s wrist, knuckles turning white as she squeezed and tightened her grip. “I’ve had enough of this!” 

“Let go of me Piper,” he warned in a hostile tone, scowling when she refused to budge. “I’m warning you.”  

Piper glared back in return before grabbing the end of the tray and hurling it towards Levi who narrowly dodged the projectile. The tray loudly crashed against the frame of the window, denting it and creating a spiderweb of fine cracks along the surface of the bottom pane. “You wanna fight?” she beckoned as she vaulted over the table and tackled him, prompting both of their lean frames to barrel towards the door. “I’ll give you a fight!”

The two of them stumbled out of the entrance and into the field as Levi tried to wrestle Piper off of him. He pried her locked arms off of his waist and elbowed her in the chest as they both lost their footing and fell down the steps, leading her to tumble farther into the field. Piper groaned as she rubbed the back of her head, vision spinning from their jostle. Levi approached and snatched her by the collar of her shirt, forcing her up as he scowled. “You’re insufferable, Brunswick!” he spat, furious. 

“Likewise, Captain.” she jeered, grinning smugly at him as her collar crinkled under his firm grip. At this point, she was intentionally adding fuel to the fire. He’d managed to completely ruin her day and put her in the perfect mood to instigate a fight. “You’ve got that charmingly punchable face.” Close-combat training, you say? I’m more than willing now. 

Bam! It took Piper a second to realize that Levi had struck her, and waves of white-hot pain surged through her face as she was blinded by the blow. The captain refused to allow her to recover from the hit and shifted his grip to the back of her neck as he slammed her face to the ground before forcefully placing his boot on top of her head and gradually pressing down, sandwiching her. 

“That attitude of yours- it sickens me.” he declared indifferently, watching as she squirmed under the weight of his boot. “Likewise, Captain.” Piper repeated her taunting response, prompting him to slam his boot down again and causing her to grunt as she ate a mouthful of dirt. ‘Eat shit’, but quite literally. You’re making a big mistake, midget.

“You think you’re better than everyone else- you refuse to abide by the rules, you don’t recognize or respect authority, and you’re always itching to start a fight. You’ve only been around for three whole days, brat, yet you’ve managed to stir up a mess and throw everything askew. I can’t stand by and let that attitude of yours continue.” 

“Thumbelina, you’re the one with the attitude and anger management issues-” 

“You don’t deserve to be in the Survey Corps. A murderer and a delinquent- Erwin should’ve left you in the streets to die.” he retorted, staring her down with his hawkish gaze, steely irises glistening with spite and repulsion. “You’re a waste of time and resources, and I could think of several people- dead or alive- who are more deserving of this opportunity Erwin wasted on you.” 

“You don’t know what it’s like to lose everything you’ve cared for in the blink of an eye,” Piper muttered through gritted teeth, still squirming. “I never wanted this- I never wanted to become whatever it is the noble scum of Mitras and the likes of you prefer to call me, nor did I ever dream about joining this worthless organization consisting of deluded pricks with selfish ambitions and an impractical death wish. Guess what- I never had the luxury of choice; this shitty life, and an unbelievable chain of unfortunate events forced my hand and sealed my fate. You have no idea what I’ve been through, pipsqueak.” 

For a brief moment, Levi seemed taken aback by her response, startled, and Piper noted the shift in his expression. He shook his head and let out another vocal ‘Tch’ as he averted his gaze, the tension in his jaw apparent. “The world doesn’t revolve around you, Butcher. We’ve all experienced our own personal hells,” he stated disapprovingly, digging his boot down. “Just because you were fortunate enough to escape the reparations of your crimes in Mitras doesn’t mean that you’re deserving of this opportunity.” 

He took the bait.

Don’t get her wrong, her sentiments at that moment were authentic, and she was genuinely agitated at him. However, she needed to draw out their argument and distract Levi from her snaking hand which she carefully positioned around the back of his heel. The momentary diversion was a success, and Piper mentally regarded herself from underneath his boot as she grasped his ankle and twisted it away, knocking him off balance.

Levi recovered by planting his free foot and stabilizing himself before yanking out his captured foot as he tried to steer clear of her move, releasing Piper from her subdued position and shifting the situation to her favor. She swiveled her legs and sprung up with the help of her hands, fuming as she dusted off her pants and her face. “Chat’s been fun, but I’m not one for small talk. Tell me what the hell you want from me.” Piper crisply stated, provokingly cracking her neck and her knuckles.

“Let’s settle this, once and for all.” Levi replied icily as he discarded his jacket to the side- unwilling to soil the piece of uniform any further- and loosened his cravat. “Prove your worth, and prove to me that you deserve to be here. Show me what you’re capable of; one-on-one, no distractions. Give it all you’ve got.” 

“Don’t you dare hold back on me.” she spoke, raising her fists and keeping her elbows leveled to her shoulders as she assumed her fighting stance and prepared herself for the duel that was about to ensue. She watched in anticipation as Levi raised his fists and mimicked her stance, radiating hostility. 

“Let’s dance, Brunswick.” He was terrifyingly agile on his feet. Piper feinted to her left as Levi charged forward, baiting him once again before nimbly turning to his right and angling herself as she prepared to kick him. She straightened her left knee and pivoted her body as she threw her right leg back and swung at full force, the brunt of her leg and the instep of her foot colliding with his arm which he’d raised at the last second. It wasn’t enough to shield him from the blow, and he staggered to the side as she completed the kick. Piper quickly shifted her weight and returned to her defensive stance, preparing to dodge again as Levi recovered and rushed towards her.

Agitated, he swung at her with his right fist, and Piper slid underneath his arm, feeling his fist whoosh past her cheekbone. She grappled his outstretched arm and twisted it, prompting him to throw his unrestrained arm which she caught with ease. Piper righted herself as she pinned his arms behind his back, restraining him and causing him to grunt against her hold. 

“I learned that move when I was a kid,” she mused, twisting both of his arms further as she leaned in and pressed her body against his, feeling the heat that radiated off of him. “Was walking around the plaza square in Mitras when I witnessed this shifty, middle-aged guy restraining an officer using this neat little trick. And then this snotty kid with his sweaty entourage of rejects tried to hit on me the next day, and wouldn’t take no for an answer. So I tested out the move on him. Idiot lost the sensation in his arms for a month, and never bothered me again ever since that day.”

Rule number one in a fight, never get ahead of yourself.

Rule number two in a fight, never let your guard down. 

“Imp, I don’t care,” Levi breathed, miffed. Piper had failed to realize that her guard was open and that she was positioned directly behind him, providing him with the perfect opening to strike her. He took his chance and his head back and struck her face, causing her to stumble backwards as the impact blinded her. “And you’re too close to me.” 

Piper shook her head and ran the back of her palm against her nose, grimacing as her blood smudged against it. Distracted and winded, she wasn’t able to predict his succeeding move and ended up eating a strong punch to the gut, making her buckle over and crumple up on the ground on all fours.

“Is that the best you’ve got to offer?” Levi questioned, letting loose a barrage of kicks to her stomach. “Pathetic. I’d expected more from the Butcher of Mitras.” Piper coughed as another blow landed on her ribs, crimson liquid splattering on the ground. She winced at the sharp pain that stabbed at her sides as she gasped for breath, certain that the repeated kicks she’d gotten from Levi just now had aggravated her previous injuries from her scuffle with Nile. Definitely a broken rib or two, she thought as she carefully got up and clutched her sides. 

I can’t let him land another blow. Piper angrily watched Levi as she tried to analyze his moves, irritated that she couldn’t figure him out as a person and as a fighter. The pain at her sides was slowing her down, and her breathing was strained; one more hit, and she’d be done for.

And then it dawned on her. 

His weak link was his left foot which he always kept behind him, and he’d preferred to execute every attack with his right side, most likely out of preference or habit. Levi also tended to begin his moves by taking the offensive and charging at her before swiftly upping his guard and switching to the defense. He had the clear advantage every time she positioned herself lower than him, hence why he’d opted to keep his initial attacks low and swift to draw her down to his level before finishing it off with a barrage of heavy kicks; she finally figured him out. 

Just as she had predicted, Levi charged at her and recoiled his right foot as he prepared to sweep the ground below her. Piper inhaled sharply and ignored the searing pain at her sides as she jumped out of the way, giving her the higher ground. It felt as though everything around her was playing out in slow motion as she propped her hand on his shoulder and vaulted over him, forcing him down. As the momentum carried her, Piper buckled and wrapped her legs around his neck, swinging her entire body downwards and maneuvering herself around him before bringing him down and keeping his head locked in-between her thighs. Levi cursed as he tried to pry her legs off of his neck, and Piper responded by flipping herself over and drawing out her balisong at his neck as she pinned him down and climbed on top, breathing heavily. 

“Oh, you’re definitely her alright,” he spat bitterly, a mixed expression manifesting on his face as she pressed the blade down further. “There’s no doubt about it.”  

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Piper probed, jerking the blade as she glared at his cold eyes, searching for answers. She could sense the puzzling look of recognition in his eyes, and a wave of unease surged through her as the haunting familiarity of his piercing gaze gnawed at the back of her mind. Was it dejavu? Nostalgia? No, this is something else. “Have we met?” she demanded an answer from Levi as she pressed her balisong down, frantic. 

“It means that I should’ve handed you back to the Military Police the moment I first saw you.” Pinned down and restrained, Levi slammed his knee against Piper’s groin as he tried to dislodge her hold on him, succeeding as she winced in pain and rolled out of the way when he prepared to strike the same region. This prick has no remorse whatsoever for a woman’s ladybits. Geez.  

The two of them scrambled to get back up on their feet as fast as they could, visibly worn-down and exhausted by their physical altercation. Dried blood was smeared all over Piper’s face and hands, and her muscles and joints were overworked and screaming for a break. The pain at her sides had worsened to the point where they were starting to feel uncomfortably numb, and she could feel a nasty lump forming by her brow bone. Levi wasn’t left unscathed either: a small cut had formed at the corner of his lip, and the onset of a purple bruise grazed his temple. Piper flipped her knife backwards and readjusted her grip, hands trembling as her spite overflowed and the tension in the air multiplied.

“I’m warning you,” Levi cautioned, glaring at Piper as they began to circle each other. “Put that thing down.”

“You want me sent to the MP so bad,” she breathed, dauntingly twirling her balisong. “Then fine. I’ll give Erwin a reason to send me back to the Military Police. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you sustained a few stabs along the way.”

“Brunswick! Don’t you dare-” It was too late, and Levi’s warnings fell on deaf ears. Blinded by her rage, Piper entered a frenzy and charged for him, spinning and hacking the knife in the air senselessly as she tried to slice him. She held no restraint and the blade whizzed past his temple, its tip lightly grazing his skin and drawing a thin line of blood. She’d disregarded the form and precision she had in the earlier stage of the fight as she was now hellbent on taking Levi down and finishing things once and for all- she was done playing nice. A gust of air blew past her face as she ducked under him and lunged for his legs, tactics, and thought-out strategies slipping out of her mind as she tried to throw him off-balance.

She’d miscalculated; Levi effortlessly spun out of the way and avoided getting his leg slit open. Piper found herself diving straight into the dirt as she missed her target, so she quickly grabbed his leg strap, resulting in both of them crashing back down onto the ground. The two of them tumbled around the dirt as the fight grew messier, both of them struggling over control and clamoring to get on top of each other to gain the upper hand.

“Give it up, Brunswick!” Levi demanded as he struggled to straddle Piper and restrain her knife-wielding arm, careful not to get slashed by the glinting blade. Piper resisted his hold on her arm and snatched it away, slicing the air and catching his forearm, freshly drawn blood rapidly spreading and staining his light-colored sleeve. “You started this,” she spat, angling the knife as she prepared to stab his side. “I’m finishing it!” 

It was Levi’s turn to be blinded by his rage as he caught her arm mid-air and slammed it down, knocking the knife out of her hand. Piper gasped for air and struggled under his hold as he planted his hand on her face and pushed down, restricting her movement and her vision. It just so happened that two of his fingers were positioned right by her lips, and as a desperate attempt to free herself, Piper caught his fingers and bit down- hard, caring less if she was about to literally bite two of his fingers off. 

Levi screamed in pain as he recoiled his hand, altogether appalled, disgusted, and enraged by her disgusting move. “You piece of shit!” he yelled as his fist connected with her jaw- and then another- and then another, and soon her impending defeat loomed the air as he let loose and pummeled her repeatedly. 

Piper could feel herself numbing with every punch, the searing pain that blanketed her face growing increasingly intolerable as Levi struck her over and over, outraged. Her head was spinning, and it was proving difficult for her to maintain consciousness as she blindly and limply tried to block his fists, but to no avail. It was a humiliating loss against Levi, one that didn’t sit well with her as the frenzied punches continued. By the looks of it, it seemed like she was about to lose not just her dignity, but her life too as he showed no sign of stopping; it felt like her entire face was about to cave in, and she was starting to choke on her own blood too. 

“Erwin over there!” a voice- Julia’s- yelled from across their position. Levi momentarily halted his punches as he snapped his attention towards the source of the outcry, and Piper wearily opened a swollen eye and saw Julia pointing towards their direction as she, Hanji, and Erwin bolted outside of the main doors. Hanji’s eyes were filled with panic and concern as the two of them resumed their fight and continued to tostle around the ground, exchanging blows and filled with overbrimming hatred for each other. 

“What’s the meaning of this?” Erwin angrily called as he rushed towards them. “That’s enough! Both of you!”

“Your stupid bitch nearly stabbed me to death with a fucking knife!” Levi hissed in the middle of throwing another punch while Piper kicked, ramming his thigh. “She nearly bit my fingers off too!” he added, responding to Piper’s kick with a backhand slap which prompted both Erwin and Hanji to interfere and break up the fight that was spiraling out of control.

“You started all of this,” Piper struggled in-between words, coughing and wheezing as they both clawed at each other, struggling to see through her swollen eyes. “Just because I decided to eat my bloody lunch!”

“Levi that’s enough-” Piper felt a strong pair of hands position themselves under her shoulders as Erwin attempted to pull her away from the outraged captain who was being held back by Hanji. “That’s enough!” he demanded to Piper when she continued to blindly thrash, mistaking Erwin’s steady arms for Levi’s.

“Let go of me, four-eyes,” he spat, dislodging himself from Hanji as he tried to dive for Piper, only to be held back again. “I have a score to settle with this brat!” 

“Come on now, why don’t you guys just talk this out over a cup of tea?” Hanji insisted, distancing themselves as Erwin carefully positioned Piper. “Piper, can you hear me?” he questioned, worried as he held her bloodied head up and grabbed a handkerchief from his pocket, holding it against her nose that was bleeding profusely. “How bad is it?”

“I’m fine,” she coughed, blood trickling down to her eyes which were watering due to the swelling and making it even harder for her to see. “Just a little winded.”

“Halt the sarcasm for once, Brunswick. You’re not fine.”

Piper roughly hacked and coughed as searing shots of pain jabbed at her sides, spittle mixed with her crimson blood accidentally splattering against Erwin’s concerned face. The commander didn’t flinch against the warm fluid that trickled down his cheek and simply continued to aid her without complaint as he continued to hold the handkerchief up against her nose in order to stop the bleeding.

“Take her to the infirmary, quick!” he demanded to Hanji who was still holding Levi back, worried. She was reluctant to let go of him at first, thinking that he would jump back into the fray once she released him, but when Levi clicked his tongue and sat himself down in resignation, Hanji immediately rushed to Piper’s side and slung her arm on her shoulder before taking off towards the infirmary. 

The two of them overheard a terse exchange start between Levi and Erwin as they limped off, the commander lividly demanding a logical explanation from the captain as for why the two of them were brawling. Hanji shook her head and chuckled to herself as she pushed the door open and slowly assisted Piper inside, passing soldiers glancing worriedly at her battered state. “Nothing to see here!” Hanji hollered, waving them off as they carried on. “Please ignore us. Nothing out of the ordinary here!”

“Nothing out of the ordinary?” Piper croaked, amused at her crutch’s futile attempt in driving off unwanted attention. “You’re telling me this is a typical sight?”

“Oh shut it, I’m trying to do you a little favor here,” Hanji laughed, pulling her close as they continued to awkwardly limp towards their destination. “Besides, that little man really doesn’t know how to pull his punches. He really took his anger out on you.” 

“As he should,” Piper scoffed as Hanji accidentally tugged at her arm, straining her sides and causing her to wince as the pain throbbed. “I didn’t pull any of my punches either.”  

“You guys really are a match made in heaven.”

“What did you say?” Am I hearing things or is four-eyes seriously doing this right now?

“Nothing! I said nothing.” Hanji dismissed as she abruptly pushed her glasses back up her nose bridge as they entered the infirmary.

“Levi’s doing?” their resident nurse raised an eyebrow, unfazed by Pipe’s horrible state. “Who else would it be?” Hanji chuckled as she aided Piper to the bed, watching as the nurse approached while clutching multiple medicine bottles and treated dressings. “It’s like a form of initiation by now.”

“Commander Erwin needs to tell him to lay off,” she aired, tilting Piper’s chin and observing the cuts and bruises that peppered her face as she carefully cleaned them with a cotton swab treated with alcohol and iodine. “I swear, more than half of the team will be out of commission before the year ends just because they got into an outmatched brawl with him- raise your shirt, please.”

Piper obliged and lifted her shirt, careful not to hit her tender sides as the nurse shifted her attention towards her ribs, occasionally pressing a gentle yet firm hand on the area to accurately diagnose the extent of her injuries. After the quick yet thorough examination, she shook her head and began wrapping Piper’s torso with treated gauze before hurriedly plotting down the final diagnosis on her clipboard.

“Two broken ribs on your right side, severe swelling and bruising on multiple parts of your face and upper torso, a hairline fracture on your cheekbone and nose bridge, and you’ve also got a sprain on your right wrist,” she deadpanned, startling Hanji who worriedly glanced at Piper. “I’m ordering you to stay out of commission for a month, recruit. Absolutely no physical training or activities whatsoever within that period, unless you’d want to aggravate your injuries or make them permanent.”

Nice one, shorty. 

“I’m also putting you under strict bed rest for an entire week, to help speed up your healing process,” she continued as she secured the gauze bandages she’d placed on Piper’s ribs with cloth wraps. “Take these painkillers shortly after every meal, and apply the cream on the afflicted areas twice a day to ease the swelling. I’ll be sending this detailed report to the commander, so he could be aware of your current situation. Feel free to escort her back to her quarters, Hanji.” 

“Shit Pipes,” Hanji breathed as she carefully slung Piper’s arm over her shoulder, concerned. “He got you good.”

“Which is exactly why I have to tell Commander Erwin to tell Captain Levi to take it easy on our recruits,” the nurse sighed, running a frustrated hand through her dark cropped hair. “Seriously, this’ll affect our recruitment numbers if word gets out.”

“Ah, I’m sure it won’t.” Hanji called out as they both limped towards the exit. “We’ll be on our way now. Thanks for saving this girl’s bony ass.” 

“You bitch-”

“Hush Pipes, you’re injured. Don’t exert yourself too much.” Hanji was surprisingly caring towards her, despite having only known her for a few days. Their last substantial interaction occurred back to when Piper had first arrived in their headquarters; they hadn’t seen or interacted with each other since that day. Sure four-eyes- as Levi preferred to call her- was a little too eccentric for Piper’s liking, but she’d been the only one to show genuine concern and warmth towards her lately; maybe she wasn’t so bad after all. “I love what you did with the hair, by the way,” she smiled, gently tugging Piper’s half-braid. “What prompted the change?”

“Pipsqueak told me to cut it. There’s nothing more to it,” Piper flatly replied, taking her time on the steps as they headed up the staircase that led to their quarters. “You really took a beating over there. Are you sure you’re alright?” Hanji continued to press, helping her up as they finally approached the hallway leading to their quarters. 

“It’s just some broken ribs and a few purple bruises. Nothing too severe or life-threatening.” 

“Piper, a broken rib is a serious matter,” the brunette emphasized, holding out the door for her as she stepped inside of her room. “But then again, this is the perfect opportunity for me to pursue that research I’ve been figuring out. I could use you as a subject! I could closely monitor your recovery and compare your recovery rate from that of titans. An in-depth analysis and observation of your injured anatomy could help me draw comparisons and derivations to that of the titans since they are humanoid creatures, and it could probably help me figure out why it takes them minutes, or even seconds to recover from injuries, whereas it takes us weeks or even months, depending on the severity. Would you be down to be included in my current research? It’s nothing big as of late, but I’m sure it’ll gain Erwin’s attention once he sees the information we could gather from this- I should probably get Moblit on board too. How about it?” 

“You’re rambling,” Piper grimaced, rubbing her neck as she leaned on the wall and supported herself. “But yeah sure, whatever. If it’ll shut you up.” 

“Just make sure to take it easy okay, Pipes?” she beamed, gently patting her shoulder. “I could tell there’s something special about you. It’d be a waste if your time with us got cut short because you overexerted yourself- also a waste of a valuable subject too, and we don’t want that.”

“I’m not crippled, owl-eyes. Don’t patronize me.”

“Same sense of humor too.” Hanji mumbled to herself.

“What?”

“I said I’m just around the corner if you need anything,” Hanji winked as she headed for the door. “I’ll be leaving your door wide-open, so Julia could check on you. But if you need anything, just scream at the top of your lungs! I’m just around the corner!” Thanks, but no thanks. I’d rather not damage my vocal cords too.

Piper made her way towards the table the moment Hanji left her view, quietly searching among the neatly arranged books for the one she’d tucked her old photograph in. She scoffed to herself when she realized that she had ironically placed the image inside of her old journal, and proceeded to take the photograph and the worn book along with her to the bed, suddenly feeling the need to browse through its old entries. 

January 31, 838. Julia and Harry decided to bake me a cake, as a gesture of kindness, she read to herself as she lay down on the bed, softly chuckling. It tasted like shit, but I chose not to say anything. Didn’t want to rob that look of achievement from Harry’s face; he was really proud of that monstrosity. I still stand by the fact that it’s better off as fertilizer instead of cake, but he doesn’t need to know about that. At least Aidan’s keeping his mouth shut.

Note to self: make sure to take on jobs during your succeeding birthdays to avoid ‘taste testing’ crusty cakes that taste like an old bastard’s sweaty armpit.

“That was one horrible-tasting cake,” she recalled, grinning as she fondly stroked the worn image. Piper intended to continue flipping through the rest of her old journal’s contents instead of resting just like the nurse had instructed, but the sound of footsteps along the corridor alerted her of another approaching presence, making her sigh irritatedly as she plopped down on the bed, pretending to have fallen asleep in the middle of reading through her journal as she let the photograph and book lay on top of her chest. Piper tried her best to stay as still as possible and kept her eyes shut as the footsteps made its way inside her room before hesitating a little past her door. She heard shuffling, accompanied by an exasperated sigh, and then the footsteps resumed before halting directly beside her bed. 

She could feel the intruder staring at her and the journal she’d left open, and Piper felt awkward as the figure shuffled and sighed again. Okay, maybe keeping the journal open for the entire world to see wasn’t the brightest idea, she thought as the figure continued to quietly scuffle, evidently trying their best not to stir her awake. 

Piper nearly flinched when she felt a hand lightly lift the journal from her chest, embarrassed since the stranger in her room was most probably skimming through her private writings. It’s probably just Julia, she reassured to herself, discreetly gulping when she heard a page turn. But then again, that doesn’t make it better, considering the entry I was just reading. A few seconds passed, and she finally heard the figure close the book before placing it on her nightstand, and footsteps sounded throughout her room again as they made their way over to the door. The figure hesitated again, and Piper sensed that they were staring at her once more before the footsteps finally resumed and headed out to the hall.

Piper allowed a good minute or two to pass before opening her eyes, taking extra precaution just in case her intruder decided to return. At once, she noticed the additional item that was placed on her nightstand- a crisp, folded piece of paper that smelled faintly of tea leaves, resting on top of her now-closed journal. Curious, she plucked the note from its place and unfolded it, observing the neat script that decorated the page as she skimmed through and quietly read the thought-out message. 

Piper, 

Consider this a formal apology on my behalf. 

You stood your ground and held your own; not bad at all. What you did earlier was unforgivable, and your dirty tricks are inexcusable. You’re a soldier now: act like one and fight like one. 

Still, I should’ve restrained myself instead of aggravating the situation further, and I shouldn’t have kept you from eating your lunch or taking a momentary breather. It was wrong for me to drive you to exhaustion.

The nurse gave you orders to rest. Don’t be stupid. If I catch you working your stubborn ass off or doing some irresponsible shit outside, I’m assigning you to cleaning duty for two months once you’re given the all-clear. I’m sure Erwin wouldn’t mind you scrubbing the living hell out of those moldy bathroom floors. 

I want you at your full potential within a month’s time. Capiche? 

Knock on my door if you need anything. I trust you know your way around by now. 

Notes:

Poor Piper couldn't catch a break lmao.

I'm also very sorry that this chap took a while >_< College has officially started for me and it is literally kicking me in the ass. Future updates might slow down as well since I'm still trying to figure out a perfect schedule that could balance both my college work and other extracurriculars.

As a treat, I decided to make my official Piper playlist public, so you guys could check it out too if you want. It's pretty much the playlist I listen to every time I try to write a chapter here, and it's appropriately filled with songs I attribute to Piper or this fic as a whole. It's got a bit of a indie folk-alt vibe to it, save for one EDM song I included due to nostalgic reasons lmao. It's also still a work in progress, so I'll be adding/removing songs every now and then.

Check it out here if you want :)

Chapter 7: Tricks of the Trade, and Everything In-Between

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Paperwork: the most dreadful task in the history of mankind, and the bane of any sane person’s existence. 

You’d have to be a full-blown psychopath to consider filing paperwork as a form of relaxation.

Formal writing (emphasis on the word formal ) was never- and will never be- one of Piper’s interests. She dreaded the notion of accomplishing paperwork since the dawn of time; essays and research papers felt like an unnecessary chore, and Piper never dared to consider pursuing the field of academic writing. She detested writing down words for others to see and criticize. Sure, word vomiting and scribbling on a private journal to let out repressed emotions was highly therapeutic, but writing to objectively divulge essential information or newfound discoveries was torturous. 

Piper set the pencil down and slumped back on her seat, demotivated. She’d been staring blankly at the sheet of paper in front of her for several minutes now, stuck in the same sentence as she struggled to seamlessly continue her train of thought. Her ideas were scattered, and each paragraph she skimmed over hardly made sense. Besides, it was far too early in the morning (at least for her) for academic lectures and structured essays, and her mind was clearly unwilling to cooperate. 

She tore her gaze from the cursed report and turned her attention towards the large window, staring outside and allowing her thoughts to wander as she watched the clouds lazily roll by. The weather was comfortingly pleasant; the sun was out, and the cool breeze kept the temperature at bay, making it the perfect day for outdoor training. Piper listened to the faint commotion of officers barking orders to cadets, along with the distinct high-pitched whirr of recoiling wires as she watched Julia and the other scouts carry on with their training, envious that she couldn’t join them given her current state. 

More than a week had passed since her altercation with Levi, and her condition had significantly improved since then. Her ribs however were still in pretty bad shape, and she was still unfit for duty. Piper had no choice but to accept the commander’s alternative of assigning her with numerous academic lectures and a boatload of paperwork for a month. Erwin explained- or rather, insisted that it was the only way to compensate for her time off the field, but Piper couldn’t shake the feeling that her ‘alternative activities’ for the time being doubled as a partial reprimand, considering that even Levi was stuck with her on paper duties. Erwin undoubtedly went out of his way to ensure that Levi would personally oversee her lessons full-time and focus on nothing else within that period. Needless to say, Piper was pretty certain that neither of them enjoyed spending most of their time confined in the lecture hall. 

“Hey,” Levi called from right beside her, snapping Piper out of her trance and drawing her attention back to the room as he whacked the back of her head with a rolled-up field report. “Focus. That paper isn’t going to write itself.” 

Piper shook her head and turned to face him, disinterested and bored out of her wits. “Alright, I’m sure you could tell just from my expression that I really don’t see the point in all of this, but just in case you can’t, let me say it out loud for you.” she said flatly, looking him dead in the eye. 

“What’s the point of all this?” Piper grumbled, gesturing towards the stack of papers in front of her and the blackboard which was filled to the brim with various topics and notes. “Think about it. How will knowing how to properly write a structured field report lessen my chances of being gobbled up by a titan in the middle of a mission?” 

Not like you could fight a titan with words. Those idiots couldn’t even understand a thing we say.

Do those things even have a brain?

“Everyone in the regiment has to submit a written report at some point in time, whether you like it or not,” Levi replied as he tried to iron out the paper he’d rolled up. “Besides, this information will be useful to you in the future. It’ll help you gain a better understanding of your surroundings and what you’re up against.” 

“Yeah, I get that. It helps you become more efficient in strategizing and critical thinking, making you an intellectual soldier- brains before brawn, as they’d say,” she countered, pushing back her chair as she stretched her legs. “But when you’re in the heat of battle and the panic kicks in, all rational thinking goes out the fucking window, and the only thing you’ll be doing is flying around and swinging your blades in hopes of killing that naked, ravenous bitch that’s about to bite your head off.” 

“With that kind of shit-filled thinking, you’re bound to get your head bit off within the first five minutes you step out of these walls.”

“Thanks for the charming reassurance, midget, but I still don’t see the point in all of this,” Piper scoffed, casting him a sidelong glance. “What I’m saying is that we’re both better off doing something more physically active since this whole thing’s stagnating us.” 

“Did I rattle your brain earlier?” Levi cocked an eyebrow and re-rolled the report he’d just flattened, whacking Piper in the head again and prompting her to react with a soft “Hey!” as she tried to shield herself before flashing him an annoyed glare. “That should’ve knocked some sense into you. Now hurry up and resume that report, you’ve been staring at the same sentence for nearly half an hour now.”

“Midget, hear me out.” Piper was starting to get desperate as she resented the idea of continuing the dreadful essay until the end of the day. “I’m clearly wasting your precious time here- my mind’s swimming in crap today and I can’t finish this stupid thing. So, why don’t we just set this aside for now and head outside for a breath of fresh air?”

“You’re not leaving until you accomplish that summary.”

“Come on, we’ve got an entire month to do this,” she argued, rolling her eyes as Levi continued to shake his head in refusal. “There’s absolutely no need to accomplish a mock-report about different terrain surveys within the day. Besides, the weather outside’s perfect. You could go for a walk or whatever, while I’ll go and catch up with the others by the training dummies. How’s that?” 

“You could barely walk in a straight line,” Levi pressed, setting down his papers. “And now you’re asking me to let you train with the others? Your head really is swimming in a sea of shit today.”

“Can’t I at least go out and spectate?”

“And risk you taking off with the gear when I’m not looking? Not a chance, imp.”

“I swear on whatever it is you patriotic scouts swear on that I won’t escape with the gear when you’re not looking. Now, will you let me out?”

“The field’s busy today, you might get hurt.” he sighed, letting out that signature ‘Tch’ as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “Someone might run into you and aggravate those injuries.” 

“Oh? Is that genuine concern coming from you? I’m flattered.”

“Get back to work, Brunswick. I mean it.” 

“Alright, fine. I’ll work on this wretched report,” Piper mumbled, defeated. “But only because you’ve shown that you’re capable of some level of concern.” The mocking, yet light-hearted remark earned her another whack in the head as Levi shook his head and resumed his work, and she scoffed to herself as she returned to her unfinished paper, amused. She’d noticed that his attitude and demeanor towards her had changed. He wasn’t as stoic and indifferent as before, and it felt as if the thick air of unease that settled between them since day one had cleared ever so slightly. 

Warmer- that's the word. He’s warmer now, and surprisingly less… uptight. Truth be told, I didn’t think it would be possible for this colder-than-ice midget to thaw out. It baffled Piper how he’d suddenly become more approachable and understanding to her. She knew he detested her presence in this regiment and resented having to be associated with her, but oddly enough, that wasn’t quite the case anymore. Sure, they were far from being chummy drinking buddies, but at least some sense of civility or basic human decency had been established somewhere down the line. Maybe it was during the fight? Who knows. It looked like he’d realized something important in the middle of it. 

Levi was certainly a very complicated individual to decipher, and she had yet to figure out why being around him felt so familiar, yet at the same time not. It was hard to explain, but the enigmatic shroud that clung to him was electrifying, drawing her closer and keeping her on edge when he was around. She felt it before, and it was incomprehensibly comforting, yet at the same time damning. Besides, Piper knew that Levi had his fair share of secrets, and she was certain- most especially now- that those secrets of his carried the answers to all her burning questions regarding his intriguing background. 

“The people in your journal,” Levi blurted from out of the blue, facing Piper and breaking her train of thought. “Who were they to you?” She dipped her head down and tried to fixate her attention on her work, praying that he wouldn’t notice the blood that was rushing to her cheeks as she recalled him entering her room and lingering around for a while, unaware that she was feigning being asleep. Alright, I’ll play this game, since you think barging into people’s rooms unannounced and snooping into their personal effects is a typical thing to do. 

“First of all, who told you and convinced you that entering my room while I was passed out was a good idea?” she shot, glaring at him. “And you had the audacity to snoop into my personal belongings while I was unaware that you were even there, to begin with? Seriously, what is wrong with you?” 

“Relax, imp. That was the only thing I saw. You passed out with your journal wide open. It was near impossible for me not to catch a glimpse of the page,” he responded, gesturing for her to calm down as he explained his side of the story. “And to set things straight, if I had it my way, I wouldn’t have gone to your room in the first place. Erwin asked me to check on you and personally apologize for the incident since you’re my responsibility. That’s all there is to it.” 

Piper wasn’t convinced that that was the entire truth behind his visit, considering that she could vividly recall him hearing him linger by her bedside for a good minute or two, but he sounded genuinely apologetic for the intrusion. She decided not to press the issue further and dug for the picture she’d kept in the pocket of her jacket since that day, sliding it across the surface of the table as she exhaled and tugged at her half braid. “They’re a thing of the past,” she said, watching as Levi gently picked up the aged photograph, flipping it back and forth and examining the image and its messy, faded inscription.

“This thing, whatever this is,” he explained, drumming his fingers on the surface of the table as he repeatedly shifted his gaze from the image to Piper, probably comparing her current appearance to that from the photograph. Yeah, I get it. Barely anything’s changed, and I still look like a petrified corpse. Move along, bastard. Quit staring at me like that. “It’s impossibly realistic. The details in this are too crisp to be considered a drawing or painting of sorts. What is it?”

Photograph. That’s what Harry called it. 

Piper recalled the day Harry went home late and welcomed them with the foreign mechanism. The strange-looking device that appeared to have a mini-telescope or lens of sorts puzzled everyone, so Harry rambled on about the device being capable of capturing and bending light before ‘burning’ the image onto what was called a film, hence creating what he called a photograph. 

“Don’t tell anyone about it,” he said to them as he prepared them for the picture and loaded the film cartridge into the main body. “My source says it’s a device from a district beyond the walls. It’s a one-of-a-kind artifact, and it’ll be our little secret.”

I’ll take our little secret to the grave, don’t worry. 

“It’s a damn good painting, what else could it possibly be?” Piper lied, hoping Levi would bite the lame excuse she was about to fabricate. “One of our clients made that in exchange for our services. Had a great eye for detail, that one, and it still baffles me up to this day as to why he never made it big. I hear those prissy nobles in Mitras love getting their portraits done.” Now who in their right mind would accept a painting as a form of compensation when they’re barely scraping by? Way to go, Piper.

“Do you miss them?” the question took Piper by surprise. The words felt and sounded heavy for some reason, and there was the faintest hint of longingness in his deep eyes as if he were recalling someone or something that was lost in his past.

All the time.

“Sometimes,” Piper righted herself and aimlessly flipped to the next page of the report, steeling herself and refraining from showing any indication that the memories of her dead friends still troubled her. It was a sensitive topic and another moment of vulnerability which she refused to show or admit to him. “But there’s no point in dwelling on people who are long gone; it’s best to move on. That’s all you’re getting out of me.” 

Liar.

“If that’s the case,” he said, sliding the photograph back towards her workspace. “Let’s change the topic: how are your sides?” 

Now that’s just too abrupt of a switch. “Could be better,” Piper replied, shrugging her shoulders as she cusped the tender injury. Aren’t you a little too friendly today, midget?   “Still stings like a bitch every time I breathe, but it’s manageable. What about you? How’s the arm?”

“Could be worse. You did quite the number on me last week. I’m impressed.” 

“Well aren’t you talkative today,” Piper noted amusingly whilst pondering which succeeding point to expound on in the essay as she tried to maintain her focus. “You know, you’ve been doing a pretty good job of distracting me from this exercise for the past couple of minutes now. Who are you and what have you done to the grumpy midget with anger management issues?”

“I’ve always been talkative,” Levi deadpanned, handing Piper another fresh piece of paper as she’d managed to fill up the entire page, albeit messily. “People say I’m quite the conversation starter.”

“You? Talkative?” she scoffed, fighting back the urge to snicker obnoxiously and lose her composure right there and then when she felt her sides flare up. Please, even my mother’s dusty skeleton’s more expressive than you. “I find that hard to believe, considering that permanent look of disgust plastered on your face, short stack. But maybe if we squeeze a few bottles of booze down your system… Just maybe… I’ve got this feeling that you’re quite the atrocious chatterbox when intoxicated.”

“I’d like to see you try.”

“Is that a challenge for me, midget?” Piper questioned dauntingly, leaning forward before quickly darting back to her space when approaching footsteps echoed from outside the room. Both of them turned their heads and simultaneously faced the door, anticipating the person to enter.

“Mind if I come in?” a gruff voice politely asked, and three knocks sounded from the door as the figure pushed it open and stepped inside the room, revealing himself to be Mike, the same soldier who had accompanied Erwin and assisted Julia during their incident in Mitras. “Fine morning to you two,” he greeted, leaning on the door as he surveyed the two of them and the clutter that was sprawled all over the tables, brows furrowed. “Bad time to drop by? Am I interrupting something important?”

“Nothing substantial,” Levi replied, leaving his seat to approach the broad soldier that towered over him. “We were just familiarizing ourselves with mission reports. What brings you here? Shouldn’t you be outside training with the rest of the squad?”

“Just checking in on you,” Mike chuckled, crossing his arms as he glanced at Piper who was engrossed in accomplishing the report. “Haven’t seen you around in meetings or training this entire week. Busy?”

“Erwin’s asked me to oversee Brunswick’s classroom studies for the rest of the month while she’s recuperating. You won’t be seeing both of us out in the field anytime soon.”

“I heard about the fight from Hanji. What happened?”

“Damn four-eyes can’t keep her mouth shut.” Levi cursed, rubbing his temples in irritation. Piper shook her head and smirked to herself as she kept writing, sensing what seemed to be irritation and slight embarrassment from Levi’s end. “We had a disagreement.”

“A disagreement?” Mike repeated slowly, casting a suspicious look at Levi before glancing again at Piper. “Is that right Brunswick? Was it really just a disagreement?” 

Piper paused and blankly stared at the two men by the door. “Yeah, I guess,” she shrugged, brushing off his query, unwilling to dive into further detail. It’s not just Levi’s dignity that’s on the line here . “Disagreement, misunderstanding, whatever you want to call it. But don’t worry, we’re all good now, right?” 

“Tch.” Levi brushed past Mike and retrieved the chalk that was placed behind the door, occupying himself with jotting down even more information on the blackboard. “Might as well introduce yourself to the imp, now that you’re here.” he mentioned monotonously to the dirty blond as he began illustrating and labeling diagrams accordingly.

“Right, I don’t think I’ve had the chance to properly introduce myself to you since the day we first met,” Mike said, walking over to Piper who stood up to acknowledge him. “I’m Mike Zacharias.” 

Piper craned her neck upwards to get a better look at the towering man, only to be taken by surprise when he suddenly swooped down and sniffed the top of her head. She froze in place, startled and mouth agape when he began to sniff out even her clothes. She began to contemplate the idea of defensively ramming her knee up his groin to get him to stop; thankfully, Mike retracted himself before she got the chance to introduce herself with her knee, relieving her.

“Vanilla, knife grease, and traces of peaches,” he remarked, pleased with himself as he smirked in satisfaction. “Quite the interesting combination of scents if you ask me.” 

“I see your nose really lives up to its reputation,” Piper sighed, disgusted and perplexed as she stretched out a hand for him to shake. “But could we limit the introductions to greetings and handshakes, you know, like regular people?” 

Mike simply snorted and briefly took her hand, shaking it before letting go and turning his attention back to Levi. 

“You’re out of luck,” Levi commented, entertained by the exchange. “Mike’s far from a regular person.” 

I’m surrounded by peculiar idiots.

“Could’ve given me a heads up and spared me the horror, at least.” she mumbled, disgusted as she sat back down and analyzed the additional diagrams and notes he had written on the board. Levi scoffed and shrugged at her. “Now where’s the fun in that?” he replied, the corner of his mouth faintly twitching upwards. Piper sneered and flashed him an obscene gesture before bringing herself back to the report, passive-aggressively muttering “Go fuck yourself, midget.” to herself as she begrudgingly carried on with the unfinished task. 

Mike’s ears were as keen as his nose. The tall brute managed to overhear Piper’s brash retort and cracked a smile, charmed by her cutting demeanor. “I like this one,” he huffed, leaning on the edge of the long desk as he addressed Levi, already noticing the distinct similarities between the two. “She’s got bite, just like you.”

“Being compared to strawberry shortcake with anger management issues over there has got to be the biggest insult-”

“Less talk, more writing, imp.” Levi interjected, shushing her as he tried to converse with Mike and motioned for him to move to the farther side of the room. “Now, at least make this visit of yours more substantial for me by giving me the rundown of everything that’s happened so far,” he demanded to him, his chilling rigidness returning in an instant. “First and foremost, how’s Hartmann doing?”

Piper’s ears perked at the mention of Julia’s name; she hadn’t heard much from Julia within the week. The redhead had frequented Piper’s room and took it upon herself to routinely check on her and keep her company during that time, but she’d never discussed her training with Piper. She probably thought it was a sensitive topic to dwell on, considering that I’m grounded for a month. Piper found herself getting distracted once more as she discreetly tuned in on the two men’s conversation, eager to know what exactly about Julia were they discussing.

“I’ll be honest with you, Levi,” Mike started, his tone grim. “Things aren’t looking too bright for Julia. The girl’s got potential, just like Piper, but she’s lagging behind the rest.”

“Lagging how?”

“Hartmann’s still struggling with omnidirectional training. I had to bring her back to the mock gear because she collided into another recruit mid-flight and nearly fell to her death a few days ago. Not only that- she’s not faring well in physical training either.”

“That’s surprising, considering her background,” Levi remarked, slightly troubled by the news. “Unless most of the information in her dossier is exaggerated.”

“She’s skilled in other aspects,” Mike replied, shaking his head. “For one, she’s quick with her hands- too quick, to be precise, and she’s an excellent archer. Realistically speaking, those skills won’t do her any good in a mission. I’ve been dedicating more time to closely supervise and guide her during training, but I don’t think it’s enough. She’s falling behind schedule, and if this keeps up, we won’t have a choice but to surrender her back to the Military Police.”

Over my dead body.

There it was again; that odious, indescribable feeling of dread, grief, and frustration mixing together and bubbling at the pits of her stomach, steadily rising through her system as the troubling news sunk in. Piper angrily bit her lip as she fought back the urge to yell at them for considering the outlandish option of sending Julia back to the pit of vipers. If worse comes to worst, doing so would be the equivalent of signing her death warrant, and Piper couldn’t let it come to that. They’d both gambled way too much just to escape the verdict of their past actions.

The flurry of cynical thoughts wracked the back of Piper’s head, clouding her peace of mind. She was too absorbed in her contemplation that she’d failed to realize just how tightly she’d been gripping her pencil. All this time, she’d been digging it down against her paper, causing its tip to chip off and break against the heavy pressure it had to endure. Her hand trembled as she clenched harder, its wooden body splintering under the tremendous force. The pencil finally gave in and snapped in half, its sound resonating through the room and catching the attention of the other two soldiers as the broken pieces scattered away. Piper gasped at the sudden realization and reached for the shattered pencil, disconcerted by her loss of control.

“Everything alright?” Mike asked, a mixture of surprise and concern displayed on his face. The two men had halted their discussion completely and were now fixated on her, curious as to what could’ve caused the sudden outburst. Piper squirmed and tried to collect herself as she plucked at the splinters that had lodged themselves on her palm. “It’s nothing,” she replied shakily through gritted teeth. “Just lost my train of thought since this stupid paper’s finally getting on my nerves.”

Levi kept silent, but Piper could tell just from the way he’d looked at her that he knew what had ticked her off in that instant. That, or she was painstakingly obvious. She’d been uncharacteristically emotional these past few weeks, anyways.

“Ah, it’s that type of anger when you can’t seem to put your thoughts into words,” Mike chuckled, shaking his head. “I’m all too familiar with the struggles of accomplishing paperwork against your own volition. Why don’t you go and give yourself a short break if your head’s running out of ideas?”

“No, I’m fine.” she insisted, brushing off his concern. Do me a favor here, sniffer. Just finish your damn conversation, so I could finally focus . Mike simply nodded in acknowledgement before heading for the door, Levi following in tow as they resumed their discussion. “Now, as I was saying, Julia’s not a lost cause, we just have to double down in her training. As much as possible, I’d like to avoid the outcome of sending her back to the capital. All this would’ve been for nothing.”

“There’s not much we could do for Hartmann if the current exercises I laid out for her aren’t sufficing,” Levi grimaced as he held the door for Mike. “We’ll just have to accept that she isn’t suited for the job and move on.”

“There’s not much you could do for Hartmann since you’ve got your hands full at the moment.” Mike countered, clicking his tongue in disapproval. “Let me take some of that workload off your hands. I can oversee Julia’s one-on-one training for you. My squad at the moment is like a bunch of sitting ducks, we'd appreciate some extra work. Anyways, I could let Nanaba take over any menial task that may spring up.”

Levi fell silent as he contemplated Mike’s offer. From what Piper gathered, Mike appeared to be another senior officer Erwin closely relied on. Allowing him to take over Julia’s training wasn’t necessarily a bad idea, but then again, Erwin surely had his own set of reasons for strictly placing her and Julia under Levi’s watch. Piper turned to the door and stared at them, eager to hear the final verdict. 

“Then it’s settled. Look after Julia for me,” Levi stated as he returned to his seat right beside Piper and retrieved the report he’d set aside. “At least I could focus entirely on my lectures with this brat over here.”

Now that doesn’t sound so great. Good news for Julia, and bad news for me, as usual. I’ll be stuck with this shithead more often now.

“Oh, I can’t wait to bore myself to death with you.” she sighed, clicking her tongue as she slumped in her seat. Mike flashed her a pitiful smile before letting out a hearty laugh, and Levi simply shook his head as he snatched the paper she’d been working on.

“Before I forget, Hanji’s looking for the both of you,” Mike announced, clearing his throat. “That woman’s been itching to talk to you two for quite some time now. Would you mind sharing a meal or two with her later, so she could finally shut up and leave me alone?” 

“Go tell four-eyes to find a more productive hobby instead of pestering others during her pastime,” Levi responded, evidently unable to stand her boisterous presence. “I’m busy.”

“What about you, Piper? Just a few minutes?” Mike pleaded, desperate. Piper scoffed and simply shook her head in refusal, mirroring Levi’s displeasure and unwillingness to interact with the overzealous and eccentric woman. “I prefer eating on my own.”

“It’s unsettling how terrifyingly similar the both of you are,” he sighed, turning on his heel and closing the door behind him as he left. “I’ll pass the news to her and probably get Moblit to find her something to obsess over for the time being, so we could all have some peace of mind.”

“Back to work, Piper.” Levi ordered once Mike was out of earshot as he returned the report he’d examined, disappointment written all over his face. “You’ve got a lot of revising to do. Better start now if you don’t wanna miss out on lunch again.”

“Seriously?” Piper snatched the paper from his hands and glossed over it, unwilling to do the entire process all over again. “Come on, give me a break now, will you? My ass is going numb from sitting too long.”

“Seriously. Redo it from the very beginning,” he demanded, fed up as he brought back the infamous rolled-up report and whacked her in the head again. “It’s shit. Organize your flow of ideas and keep your thoughts precise. You’ll bore Erwin to death with this.”

“God I hate you so much,” she spat, defeated. “You know that, right?”

“Less talk, more writing.”

“You’re fucking insufferable, midget.”

“For the last time Piper, focus.” Levi sighed, ditching the paper as he abruptly yet gently grabbed the back of her head and forced her to turn away. “We can discuss how much you resent me later.”

Never change midget. Never change.

This time, Piper was unable to contain the smile that had been itching to creep up on her face, and so she sheepishly grinned to herself, secretly grateful for their uncharacteristic interaction as that very moment looped in her head for the rest of the day. 

Notes:

Apologies for the inconsistent update schedule, it's currently midterms week for me so the prior weeks have been packed to the brim with assignments and submissions. Anyways, my schedule's bound to clear up a bit after this week, so I can get back to somehow posting within my intended schedule.

Chapter 8: Girls Just Want to Have Fun

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Piper compensated for her month off-duty with extensive lectures on history, war tactics, and field reports. By the time she was finally granted the green light to engage in physical training, she was capable of producing an entire field report without feeling the need to rip out her hair or snap another unfortunate pencil in half- a miraculous and outstanding feat in itself, considering that she’d despised writing essays, and was literally on the verge of tearing down the entire lecture hall during her first day of lessons. 

It felt good to be back to her typical regimen; she’s had her fair share of studies and papers for now, and Piper wasn’t looking forward to spending even just another second confined to that stuffy hall. She was excelling in the physical aspect of training anyways, so despite her time off the training field, she’d managed to perfect every assessment and exercise Levi and the others threw at her as if she’d never sustained any injuries or taken an entire month off. Erwin and the higher-ups were greatly impressed at her knack for things, to say the least. 

Mike was a miracle worker too. Over the weeks that passed, he’d managed to beat Julia into shape. Both Levi and Piper scratched their heads and wondered how the man had managed to do it, but the tall brute wouldn’t divulge his secret techniques, no matter how hard they tried.

Julia wasn’t a prodigy of sorts at omnidirectional gear- that was given, but her training with Mike ensured that she was no longer at the bottom of the food chain or at the brink of being sent back to the clutches of the Military Police. She was keeping up in training, occasionally meriting the sixth or seventh shortest time record amongst the junior officers in omnidirectional drills, or sometimes even ranking first in hand-to-hand combat within the same division. She was finally able to hold her own, and for that, Piper was enormously relieved.  

The months blurred together and passed by quickly, and autumn finally arrived. The trees grew orange, leaves littered the courtyard at every time of the day, and the temperature had significantly dropped. Their final test- an expedition beyond the walls, and the deadline for keeping up with the rest of the Scouts was inching significantly closer, but Piper was confident that she and Julia had proven themselves to Erwin and the rest of the regiment. 

Everything was going according to plan- until Erwin unveiled his bizarre request.

“Thank you for meeting me, Piper,” Erwin smiled at her as she entered the room, occupied with stacking and organizing his bookshelves with newly procured volumes and serials. His office was certainly becoming cluttered, and Piper watched as he continued arranging the books into the spaces, spotting Julia and Hanji who were engaged in a technical discussion by the coffee table.

“Not like I had a choice,” she eventually responded with a smirk, earning herself a lighthearted side glance from the commander as he wrapped up and briskly dusted his hands before signaling the two other women to dial down and conclude their conversation. He’d grown particularly fond of Piper’s antics and blunt retorts, knowing that she meant absolutely nothing by them. “So what’s up?” Piper added as she leaned on the door and folded her arms, eager to hear what Erwin was about to say.

“I have a job for you,” he began as he walked back to his large desk and sat down, pulling out a drawer and retrieving a cream-colored envelope from it. “You’ve been doing very well in training, and you’ve fulfilled all your duties flawlessly and without delay. I’m very proud of your progress with us, Piper.”

“Who wouldn’t be motivated to fulfill their duties if their life’s hanging on the line?” she grimaced, teasingly rolling her eyes as she snuck a glance at Julia who was trying her best to stifle a giggle. “In all seriousness, thanks, I guess.” Erwin chuckled and raised the envelope, flashing its expensive and intricate wax seal which made Piper’s blood run cold and all traces of previous enjoyment to flee her body at once. 

Oh god.  

“Tomorrow, the royal government along with the nobility of Mitras will be holding its annual evening function- a charity event of sorts,” he explained, aimlessly circling his finger around the seal as he shifted his gaze from Piper, Julia, then Hanji. “Two top brass officers from each branch of the military are required to attend this event and act as representatives for their respective regiments. Naturally, these two officers would be the commander and their second-in-command, but we’ve hit a snag and encountered some... scheduling conflicts.”

“Let me guess,” Piper replied, burdened with dread as Erwin sternly looked her in the eye. “You want me to go to this stupid ‘charity’ in your place.”

“Precisely,” he nodded, his stern demeanor unwavering. “My team and a good chunk of the top brass will be participating in a patrol mission tomorrow. Rescheduling or delaying this mission will be too much of a hassle and may derail all our other plans. The invitations came in late, so we were informed of this only recently and couldn’t apply the necessary adjustments or so.”

Here we go again with Commander Eyebrows and his suicide squad robbing me of my luxury of choice. I really am living in hell. 

“Hold on, hold on, hold on,” Piper rambled, furiously shaking her head as she glared in confusion and tried to let the information sink in. “Let me get this straight: the king and his goonies seriously thought it was a good idea to hold some fancy soiree- under the guise of a ‘charity event’- in the middle of a crisis? There are more than a hundred thousand displaced civilians because some big-ass titan came and tore down the gates of Shiganshina, we’re having a food shortage, and people are killing each other over land disputes, but the monarchy thinks that now’s the best time to get drunk and throw a party? Are you all nuts?” 

“Trust me, Piper, I share the same sentiments as you, and the timing of this gathering is rather insensitive considering all that has occurred within the past few months,” Erwin replied, setting the envelope down as he folded his hands and furrowed his brows. “However, this gathering is a very prestigious event, and it is necessary- especially for us scouts- to keep up appearances, considering that we are the smallest and least-prioritized branch. Putting on quite the show may attract private endorsements and sponsors who could put out a good word for us or aid in our funding.” 

“Alright, fine. I guess that makes sense,” she huffed, glancing again at Julia who was mouthing the words ‘sorry’ and ‘what a load of bull’ . “But why me? Couldn’t Hanji or Mike go? I’m not exactly in the Military Police’s good graces, and this party’s bound to be swarming with them. Hell, I’d say the chances of our good-old-pal Nile making his presence known is pretty damn high, and he’s probably still hellbent on chopping my head off, for good reason of course.” 

“Sorry Pipes,” Hanji responded, rubbing the back of her neck as she flashed an apologetic, lopsided grin. “As much as we’d love to go, Mike and I are also participating in Erwin’s excursion tomorrow. It’s a great opportunity to examine the titans up close, and if we’re lucky enough, we could probably see if my proposal of trying to catch a live titan is feasible enough-”

“Denied.” Erwin interjected, shutting his eyes in contemplation. Looks like they’ve already had this argument in the past.

“Erwin think about it-”

“We’ve been through this before. We’ll discuss this proposal of yours again in further detail later if you want, once I’m done debriefing Piper.” he sighed, evidently trying his best to maintain his composure. 

“What about Julia?” Piper inquired, vehemently jabbing her index finger towards the direction of the redhead who blinked in confusion. “Hell, even Julia’s better suited for this! Her reputation’s cleaner compared to mine!”

“Sorry Piper, Commander Erwin’s left me with a few tasks to oversee tomorrow, and I’ll also be assisting Nanaba with drills for the entire day.”

“Fuck’s sake,” she cursed, throwing her hands up in defeat. “Seriously, can’t you reconsider? I can think of approximately a million reasons as to why having me as one of the representatives in that function is a terrible idea.” 

“If you’re worried that you attending on my behalf may stir conflict with the Military Police or allow your criminal records to resurface, you don’t have to. I’ve been constantly updating Nile these past few months regarding your progress and involvement with us. It was a condition the Military Police had set for us, in exchange for surrendering you and Julia to our custody. He’s still cautious, but he sees you as a woman on the path to reformation now,” Erwin steadily explained, piquing her interest. “Aside from this, Levi also deduced that attending the event would actually be in your favor. People will believe that you are currently dependable and credible enough as a soldier to merit becoming an official representative despite your past, and all prejudices and doubts surrounding your capabilities will surely diminish.”

“It’s true,” Hanji chimed in, patting her on the shoulder. “When we were deliberating the representatives earlier, we all agreed that you were best suited for the job. That, and we’re all shorthanded as of the moment so we didn’t have a choice either, but let’s not focus on that, right Erwin?” 

“Yes, and there’s also no need to worry since Levi will be attending with you. Should anything unexpected occur tomorrow evening, he’ll be there to guide you or assist you.”

You’ve got to be fucking kidding me. 

Of all the people I could’ve attended this stupid party with, this bloody pipsqueak has to accompany me? 

Julia choked on the water she’d been sipping upon hearing the news and entered a fit of hysterical coughing, thoroughly surprised and amused at the idea of the two clashing individuals attending such a formal occasion. Once she’d recovered, she wiped the tears that had formed at the corner of her eyes and steadied herself, clearing her throat as Hanji worriedly rubbed her back. “Sorry about that, Commander,” she muttered, bowing as she tried to stifle her laugh, but to no avail. “The- uh, water shot up my nose. Please, carry on.” 

Piper glowered at the redhead, knowing all too well that her current situation surrounding the notorious party was proving to be quite the spectacle for her. Julia continued to silently giggle behind Erwin as Hanji flashed an impish grin, prompting Piper to scowl irritably as she dragged herself towards Erwin’s desk. 

“Never had the luxury of choice anyways,” she grumbled, sneering as she snatched the envelope and tucked it inside of her pocket. “Anything else I should be aware of before the big day, tomorrow?”

“It’s a black-tie event,” Erwin announced, bringing out a small packet filled with bills which he slid across the table. “Here’s some money. Go ahead and buy yourself a dress. I’m sure Hanji would love to help you out.”

As if it couldn’t get any worse.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Piper spat through gritted teeth, agitated as she stared at him in disbelief. “You’re asking me to stuff myself into a fucking dress for the entire evening too?” Erwin simply nodded, apologetic and Julia snickered louder, making Piper squeeze her eyes shut as she irritatedly ran a hand through her hair. Eventually, she sighed and grabbed the money, shoving it inside of her pocket with a flounce. This day’s continuously taking a turn for the worse, and I’m not here for it.

“Smith, I’m starting to hate your guts too.” she dourly declared, clicking her tongue as Hanji happily yanked her arm and dragged her towards the door. “It’s Commander Smith,” Erwin corrected, dismissing the both of them as Piper shook her head in defeat and tried to pry her arm away from the brunette, unwilling to budge. “As for you Julia, would you mind staying for a minute? I’d like to further discuss the assignments I’d given you earlier.” 

“Oh- uh, right. Yes, sir.” Julia acknowledged, watching in amusement as the two women stumbled and struggled towards the door. “Have fun for me, Piper!” she yelled afterwards before returning her attention to the commander.

“This’ll be so much fun! You’re such a lucky girl, Pipes!” Hanji beamed, practically shoving herself and Piper out. “Seriously, this is such a great opportunity for you, and I’m already jealous.” Don’t you mean unlucky?   “Then let’s switch roles,” Piper begged, exasperated as she continued to struggle. “Come on, I’ll pay you with this money. How much do you want?”

“Gotta admit Pipes, that sum is pretty tempting,” she giggled, plucking the packet from Piper’s hands and peering through its opening, counting the bills before immediately returning it and cusping both of the blonde’s wrists as she stared at her with double the vigor and enthusiasm. “But nothing will beat the thrill of an expedition, so you better hold on tight to your allowance because I’m bringing you shopping! Erwin’s really blessed us today!” 

“Hanji please-”

“Come on! We still have to go and fetch Levi before heading downtown!”

“Four-eyes, you greasy bitch hold on!” Piper hissed angrily, watching as Hanji made a run for it and sprinted down the hall, overeager to get to her destination. “Fuck, I hate you all so much,” she mumbled furiously to herself, clenching her fists as she tried to catch up.

 


 

Bearing witness to Hanji unintentionally startling and catching a heavily preoccupied Levi off-guard was undeniably amusing and lightened her mood to some extent, but Piper continued to resentfully worry about the upcoming gathering, thus weighing her down and keeping her detached from her surroundings as she lumbered steadily behind Hanji who was bouncing with every step she took. 

Levi strolled beside her, quiet and pensive as he idly observed the buildings they passed, mildly irritated; he was probably recalling the humiliating instance, hence the scowl. Piper was surprised that he still agreed to accompany the two of them in their errand despite the amusing stunt Hanji pulled by raucously barreling through his door unannounced, nearly tearing it off its hinges. “Why are you even coming with us in the first place?” she questioned sharply, lifting her gaze from the ground and glaring at him. Here to play bodyguard? Tease me for having to wear a dress? Window shop for cleaning solutions?

“You’re not the only one who needs an outfit for the occasion, imp. Get your head out of your ass.” 

“Understandable, but do you have to come with us to the dress shop to help me find a dress?” Piper retorted, cocking an eyebrow. “Or are you planning to wear a dress too? Because if that’s the case, then maybe I should go and splurge on a suit instead to ease my suffering.”

“Who said I was going to help you find a dress?” he wondered, glancing at her skeptically as he tried to gently whack the back of her head- it was starting to become a predictable habit of his. Piper ducked in the last second and roughly slapped his hand away, irked. “Imp, the tailor’s this way too- we’re just heading in the same direction. I’m not planning on sitting around while the two of you are bickering over what dress to purchase.”

“What? You’re not coming with?” Hanji called, stopping in her tracks as she turned to face him. “Come on you killjoy, don’t you wanna help out in picking Piper’s dress? We could help you pick yours afterwards!”

“I’m not a fashion critic, four-eyes,” he stated dryly, suddenly detaching from their group as he headed for the adjacent street. “I have other things to worry about.”

“Your loss then,” she mumbled, folding her arms as she watched Levi walk away. “Meet us at the plaza later!” 

Piper realized that she’d been unconsciously holding her breath the entire time due to the fear that she was going to have to seek out his opinion while searching for an appropriate dress. She exhaled and relaxed a little once she was certain that he was out of earshot and sight, somewhat relieved. One less thing to worry about. “Lead the way, shitface,” she nudged Hanji, eager to get moving. “The sooner we get this done, the better. I’d rather not prolong my suffering.”

The two of them walked in silence as they pressed on, absorbed in their own thoughts and concerns. Again, this wasn’t a bother for Piper as she often tried to avoid conversing with others- her socialization skills were near zero, hence another reason as to why she was so apprehensive of attending the soiree. 

“You really are a curious specimen, Piper.” Hanji blurted as they entered the boutique, observing the various styles that decorated the small shop from head to toe- from modest, floor-length ball gowns to daring cocktail dresses that left little to the imagination, the shop surely had a dress for all sorts of occasions, and Hanji and Piper were both certain that they were going to spend a hefty amount of time sifting through all the overflowing racks. “Aren’t you excited for tomorrow?”

“No.” 

“Not even a little bit?”

“I’d rather kill myself than go to that stupid party with Levi.”

“Are you sure?”

“What exactly are you trying to get at, four-eyes?” Piper demanded impatiently, miffed by her counterpart’s persistence in inciting a conversation. Hanji pondered for a moment as she held out a crimson gown before shaking her head and facing Piper, fascinated. 

“Most girls would willingly kill or immediately jump at the rare opportunity of accompanying Levi to a dance! And yet here you are, apprehensive and resentful of not just the dance, but his entire being too! You’re probably the first girl I’ve met that hasn’t shown any form of interest whatsoever for him.”

“Four-eyes,” Piper sighed, fed up with Hanji’s meddlesome attitude and unhealthy fixation on obtaining her personal or private opinions surrounding the aforementioned captain. “What’s the big deal with the midget? Like, seriously. What’s there to gush over? Do enlighten me, please.” Hanji paused and set down the few dresses she’d been collecting, flashing her a bewildered stare as Piper continued rummaging through the different hangers, mistaking Hanji’s silence for contemplation. Upon realizing that the brunette still hasn’t responded to her inquiry, Piper looked up and faced her, welcoming the woman’s puzzled look.

“Wait, you seriously don’t know?” Hanji questioned, perplexed. “Have you been living under a rock?”

“I lived in the Underground for quite some time,” she replied dryly. “Does that count?” 

“Hey! Then that could be another similarity you could both bond over!” Hanji ran towards her and grabbed her shoulders, shaking her vigorously as she began to ramble. “Rumor has it that Levi was a notorious rogue in the Underground. Is it true? Have you heard of him? Have you met him before?”

“I don’t know, no, and I’ve never met that idiot prior to getting my ass thrown in here, so could we please just focus on looking for a stupid dress because the longer we stay here, the closer I am to punching your face just to shut you up for good.” 

“You two have a lot in common, you know.” Hanji shook her head in resignation and chuckled, releasing Piper as she fondly played with the seams of the dresses. “Levi hasn’t had proper company since he arrived here, so I think this whole gimmick’s good for the both of you; you guys will get to know each other better.”

“Is that the real reason as to why you’re all so adamant in making me go instead of some other qualified officer?” Piper wondered as she took out a collared dress from the rack and raised a brow, simultaneously requesting Hanji’s opinion on the design.

“Maaaaybe…” she trailed, mischievously averting her eyes and twiddling her thumbs before shifting to a more serious and genuine demeanor. “Seriously though- all jokes aside, I know it doesn’t seem like it, but Levi’s actually a pretty decent guy. He’s been through a lot, hence the prickly and harsh attitude, but he’s got a heart deep down. Trust me.”

“We all have our own sob stories,” Piper harshly shot back. “He’s not special. And frankly, I don’t care.”

“Just give him a chance, will you?” she sighed, unwaveringly determined to get the two of them to get along. “He’s trying his best- again, it doesn’t seem like it- but he really is. In his own grumpy, neat-freak way.”

“Whatever.” 

“And for goodness’ sake Pipes, you are not walking out of this store with that dress!” Hanji exclaimed and scoffed in disgust as she did a double-take at the dress Piper held and yanked it from her hands, startling the clerk who was rearranging the racks further back in the store. “It’s hideous!”

“Keep your voice down, four-eyes!” Piper chided, glancing apologetically at the young clerk before snatching back the dress from Hanji’s clutches. “And what’s wrong with this, anyway?” she wondered, inspecting the Aegean-colored garb. “It’s got a modest collar, perfect for a formal gathering.”

“Perfect for an old widow’s afternoon tea party, you mean!” Hanji returned, taking the dress and shoving it behind a cluster of cheap-looking chiffon ball gowns. “What we’re looking for is a dress that’ll make heads turn.”

“I’d rather not call attention to myself-”

“Hey! You there! Are these all the dresses you have at the moment?” Hanji yelled to the clerk, frantically waving her arms. Piper buried her face in her hands and pursed her lips in irritation and embarrassment as the timid woman approached, thankfully unbothered by Hanji’s raucous behavior. 

“I have a new collection in the back that just arrived today,” she replied, somewhat uncertain as Piper glared at Hanji in annoyance. “They’re made from the finest materials, however, so they fetch quite the price-”

“We have the money!” the brunette blurted, suddenly shoving her hand down Piper’s pocket and yanking out the tan-colored packet from earlier. “Show us the finest dress you’ve got, right now!” Piper roughly elbowed Hanji and clicked her tongue in response, unappreciative of the woman’s inexistent concept of personal boundaries. 

“This way, please.” The young woman led the two to a semi-secluded section in the boutique which was less cramped and more put-together. Already, the numerous ensembles on display seemed much more expensive in craftsmanship and material, and Piper quietly gulped as she surveyed the area in awe. “This selection’s mostly reserved for my special customers, but I noticed that you’re both part of the military,” she explained, glancing at them as she gently sifted through the racks. “This is for a special event, yes?”

“Yeah.” Piper nodded, curiously running her hand against a maroon dress. Noticing that the dress’ neckline was inappropriately low, Piper recoiled her hand in disgust and transferred to another section in the room, disinterestedly rummaging through the garments one-by-one.

Too fancy.

Too revealing.

Too flashy.

Too… modest?

Piper’s patience was beginning to wear thin as she dismissed nearly every single dress she’d laid her eyes on. Hanji on the other hand appeared to have been enjoying the experience, as both of her arms were filled with various pieces that had caught her interest. Piper sighed irritatedly to herself as she observed each dress Hanji was carrying, already dreading having to fit every single one of them. “Something that’ll bring out your eyes or complement the ghostly pallor of your skin,” Hanji muttered as she continued browsing the racks, occasionally glancing at Piper. Piper frowned when the brunette paused and suddenly froze in place, her expression unreadable. 

A few seconds passed before Hanji’s eyes widened in surprise as she hurriedly parted the rack and yanked one of the dresses, flashing an excited grin as she held it up and ran to Piper. “Like this one!” she yelled energetically.

Piper stared at the dress Hanji was holding out, mouth agape. No way. No way. NO WAY. 

“No.” she declined, swatting it away as she felt the blood rush to her cheeks. “There’s no way in hell that I’m wearing that .”

“Piper, it's perfect for you!” Hanji implored, shoving the delicate dress on Piper’s hands. “You have to try it!”

“This thing leaves little to the imagination-”

“No, it doesn’t! It’s modest enough! Showing a little bit of your shoulders won’t hurt anyone, Pipes.”

“The price of this dress is outrageous. Can’t we find something else-”

“I’m not hearing it! Blah, blah, blah.” the brunette immaturely covered her ears and shut her eyes, unwilling to hear Piper’s protests. “Talk to me when you’ve put on the dress!” 

“You’re just as insufferable as that midget!” she proclaimed, snatching the expensive garment as she stormed off towards the dressing booth. Piper hesitantly took off her uniform as she slipped on the dress, cautiously eyeing her crisp reflection in the mirror afterwards.

The piece was elegant, to say the least, but it felt foreign and unnatural against her own skin. She was accustomed to wearing cheap, hand-me-down blouses and ragged boots, not form-fitting dresses that cost more than the combined average salary of three mid-ranking soldiers. Besides, where else was she supposed to wear the dress after the executive party? To sleep? To the battlefield? To her own grave? It didn’t make sense to her to invest so much money in an unnecessary luxury when cheaper substitutes existed.

But it sure as hell is pretty , she thought to herself, admiring the rich, jet-black silk that clung to her figure. The overall design was simple and straightforward; an ebony, mid-length silk-satin dress that hugged her torso but gradually flowed out, allowing for modest movement and breathability. Still, Piper felt too exposed under the dress’ square neckline and thin straps, and so she held her breath as she drew back the curtain and hesitantly stepped outside of the dressing booth, awkwardly and self-consciously trying to cover up and shield herself from Hanji and the merchant’s inspecting eyes. 

“Well?” Piper wondered, shifting uncomfortably under the two women’s mesmerized gazes as they stared at her, wordless. Hanji then clasped her hands together and squealed in glee, chestnut eyes shimmering with exhilaration as Piper awkwardly stood there. 

“You look like a goddess!” she beamed, staring at her with so much fascination and awe. “It’s perfect! We’ll take it!”

“Don’t I get a say in this?” Piper questioned, aghast as the clerk nodded in agreement. “It suits you perfectly, dear,” she confirmed, eyeing her up and down. “Your partner would be lucky to have you in that event if you show up wearing that. And I have the perfect pair of shoes in mind to accompany that dress!”

Piper could feel her face steaming as she retreated to the confinements of the dressing booth, flustered. She quickly took off the dress and slipped back into her uniform before bolting out and slamming the payment on the counter, embarrassed beyond measurement. “Just give us the shit, so we can leave already.” she mumbled meekly, looking down on the floor.

“I threw in the heels for free, just for you.” the girl smiled, nudging her playfully as she handed the boxes that contained their recent purchases. “Thank you, and I hope you two drop by again sometime!” she said afterwards, bowing in appreciation.

“No, thank you!” Hanji yelled back, waving as Piper exited first. “You’ve got a wonderful shop, and I would’ve emptied out all your racks if we didn’t have such a tight budget!” Piper groaned as they stepped outside into broad daylight, realizing that the two of them spent almost the entire afternoon scouring the boutique from head to toe just to settle on that wretched, exorbitant silk dress.

“Shit, you think we kept him waiting for too long?” Hanji wondered, shielding her eyes from the harsh glare of the setting sun as they began heading towards their designated meeting spot. Piper shrugged and warily eyed the boxes she carried, nervous and uncertain. 

Tomorrow’s gonna be a long day, that’s for sure.  

Twilight had already settled in by the time they arrived at the plaza, and several Garrison officers littered the populous square as they helped in lighting the street braziers. Certain stalls and shops that operated during the day were finally closing down, while other fresh-looking merchants were busy opening their stalls or rearranging tables, ready to take over and begin their evening shifts. 

Piper spotted Levi waiting for them at one of the outdoor tables of a nearby cafe, looking completely miserable. A lone candle providing soft illumination was propped on the table, casting harsh shadows on his face as he looked up and stared at them, visibly exhausted.

Looks like midget’s been waiting for quite a while, she thought as she nudged Hanji and jerked her head towards his direction. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t pity him. 

“Took you long enough,” he grumbled, dusting his pants as he stood up and collected the coat cover that occupied the other chair, the silhouette of his brand new suit visible against its protective covering. “What the hell were you two doing?”

“Finding the dress for Piper over here was quite the challenge, but we found the perfect one! Couldn’t let this wonderful girl attend the party looking like your handmaid, or something.”

“What does it look like?” 

“Uh-uh! It’s a secret!” Hanji declared, using her arm to shield him from looking into the boxes, and shoving Piper aside with her other arm. “You’ll just have to wait and see for yourself tomorrow!” she added, winking mischievously.

“You’re taking this a little too seriously, shitty-glasses.”

“Oh trust me, Levi, you’ll see it’s well worth the wait.” she giggled, winking at him before slinging her arm over Piper’s shoulder. “Right, Pipes?”

Just shoot me in the face already. It’ll hurt less.

Notes:

I had waaaaaay too much fun writing this chapter lmao. Also hey! A miracle weekly update!

Pretty excited for the next few chapters because I have so much in store for you guys ;)

See you in the next, and thank you so much again for all the love and support! You guys are definitely the best.

Chapter 9: Keeping Appearances (The Evening in Mitras, Part 1)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“You look beautiful, Pipes,” Hanji muttered in awe as she lifted a stray lock of hair away from Piper’s face and gently tucked it behind her ear, careful not to disturb the loose plait she’d woven at the back of her head. “Breathtakingly beautiful.”

Piper apprehensively stared at her reflection in the mirror, overwrought and perturbed. The withdrawn and unconcerned demeanor she typically donned was nowhere to be found at the moment; her thoughts were in disarray, for the imminent gathering drew nearer as the seconds passed, and Piper shakily exhaled as she took in her fragile appearance. 

This can’t be me , she thought, wide-eyed as she processed every detail that contributed to the casual elegance her reflection seemingly evoked, a far cry from the uniformed and rigid reflection she’d gotten used to over the months: from the light fringes that Hanji purposely excluded from her braid in order to accentuate her face, down to the way the dark silk heavily contrasted her skin and her eyes, making it seem as if both had an innate radiance to them. It seemed that the longer she hung around with the scouts, the more unrecognizable her appearance came to be. So far, this was probably the third instance that she hadn’t quite recognized herself. 

“Is something wrong?” Hanji inquired, concern displayed all over her face as she grasped Piper’s shoulders and joined her in observing her reflection. “Why the long face? Where’s your spirit?” she added, repeatedly poking Piper’s cheek in hopes of cracking her up. “Come on, show me that killer smile of yours!” 

“Knock it off, four-eyes.” Piper droned, rolling her eyes as she brushed Hanji’s hand away from her cheek. “I’m just worried about tonight.”

“There’s nothing to worry about, Pipes.” she smiled in response, turning Piper towards her as she began patting down the soft creases that had formed on the obsidian silk. “Although… you’re running a bit small over here.” Hanji cheekily cupped and squeezed Piper’s breasts, evoking a sharp gasp from the blonde. “But don’t worry, they’re there! And they’re pretty firm too, actually. Thankfully that dress really brings them out.” Piper stiffened under Hanji’s unwarranted touch, violated as she slapped away her prying hands and stumbled to the side.

“What the fuck- keep your hands to yourself,” Piper uttered disdainfully, aghast as Hanji unapologetically shrugged and giggled. “And they’re not that small, excuse me,” she added, self-consciously glancing down at her chest in return as she felt her cheeks warm. “I don’t need a fucking dress to prove that I’ve developed.”

“Sure, you keep telling yourself that.” Hanji drawled sarcastically, chummily patting Piper on the back as she began to head for the door. “I’m just messing with you; you look flawless. You’re bound to make heads turn with that stunning dress of yours, and I can guarantee that a certain captain will be speechless once he lays his eyes on you. So, shall we?”

Oh, perish the fucking thought, four-eyes.

“Don’t you have an urgent mission to attend to?” Piper wondered, mindlessly grabbing the invitation and the coat she’d prepared the night before as she wobbled towards the door, struggling tremendously under the impractical height of her heels which was forcing her into an uncomfortable, near-tiptoe position. How do other girls even walk in this? It’s like trying to balance on stilts while having knives directly strapped to the bottom of your soles. “Don’t think it’s a wise idea to keep Erwin waiting. You know how fussy he could get if you delay something even just by a mere second.”

“Bah! To hell with his schedules. I need to see a dear friend off on her special day.” she responded dismissively, puffing out her chest as she tried to imitate Erwin’s rigid posture before halting Piper in her tracks, frowning and pointing accusingly towards the coat she carried. “And what are you going to do with this?” Hanji probed, furrowing her brows as she snatched the jacket from Piper’s hands.

“Using it to cover up,” Piper replied matter-of-factly, raising a brow. “It’s like eight degrees outside, and it’s bound to get colder in the evening.”

“But it defeats the purpose of your dress!” Hanji whined, staring at the coat with a look of disgust as Piper frustratingly pinched the bridge of her nose. “I can’t survive the entire evening wearing just this scanty dress,” Piper countered, growing more frustrated as she pointed at the garb for emphasis. “Stepping outside wearing just this is tantamount to me walking out with my ass hanging out for the entire world to see. I’m gonna freeze my ass off!” 

“It’ll be warm in the venue, trust me! The number of candles, chandeliers, and sweaty, middle-aged men is sure to turn the area into a living sauna! You’ll be fine.”

“But-”

“Uh-uh! No time to argue! Your ride's waiting outside! Now chin up, back straight, and stand tall. You’re the most gorgeous woman in the vicinity right now, so act like it!” Hanji interjected, grabbing Piper by the arm and bolting out of the room. Piper shot daggers at the back of Hanji’s head, defeated as the brunette hurriedly dragged her along the corridor and down the spiraling stairwell of their headquarters. Her soles were aching terribly as she struggled to maintain her balance and pace her steps evenly; by the time they exited the main entrance and haphazardly proceeded down the steps that led to the central courtyard, Piper felt as though both her ankles were mere seconds away from falling off and detaching completely.

Although the sun was out, the climate was particularly frigid. Puffs of white steam escaped Piper’s lips as she breathed, dissipating into the cold air as she hesitantly hobbled behind Hanji who was striding towards the parked carriage. A chilly draft suddenly blew and nipped at her bare shoulders, prompting the hairs at the back of her neck to stand as goosebumps emerged on her skin. Then a stronger gust followed shortly and lightly lifted the hems of her dress, causing Piper to disapprovingly curse to herself, teeth chattering as she shivered and hugged her exposed frame in an attempt to keep warm. Oh come on, give me a break.

“Levi! Sorry we’re late!” Hanji hollered thrillingly, vigorously flailing her hands in the air as Piper tried to hide behind the brunette the moment she caught a glimpse of his figure. “Was making sure that dear Pipes over here was dazzling from head-to-toe, but here she is!” she proclaimed, dramatically stepping to the side and revealing Piper’s appearance as she did jazz hands.

It took a second for Piper to realize that the man standing in front of her was none other than Levi. He was wearing the typical suit-and-tie ensemble- a white dress shirt devoid of any crease or unruly fold paired with the standard black blazer and matching trousers and shoes, along with his signature cravat which he’d favored in place of the necktie. Piper found herself at a loss for words as she stared him down from head to toe, stunned.

She really didn’t want to admit it, but it was hard to deny that Levi looked good in the suit- too good , in fact, and a warm, indescribable feeling bubbled in the pits of her stomach.

Piper shifted uncomfortably under his gaze, and she felt the blood slowly rising to her cheeks as he stared back at her wide-eyed with his lips parted ever so slightly, speechless. Hanji playfully waved her arm across his face in an attempt to gain his attention as he remained motionless, prompting her to wink at Piper who was growing more flustered by the minute. “Didn’t I tell you, Pipes?” she proclaimed as she mischievously nudged Levi in the arm. “Speechless.”  

“Not bad, Brunswick,” Levi stated approvingly after some time as he swatted Hanji’s hand away from his face, rigidly crossing his arms and regaining his composure. “You look good.”

“You- uh- you don’t look so bad yourself.”

“I guess my work here’s done. I’ll leave you two at it now,” Hanji chuckled, stepping back and turning on her heel as she impishly grinned at the two of them. “Take good care of her for me, Levi.” she sternly added. “And remember to be on your best behavior, Pipes. You’re representing all of us. But make it a point to enjoy as well!” 

Piper helplessly watched as Hanji departed for the main gate, apprehension kicking in full-swing as the coachman steadied the horse in preparation for their departure. This is it , she thought, worriedly biting the inside of her cheek and facing Levi, unable to collect herself as her worries surrounding the impending soiree persisted. No backing out now. Don’t make a fool of yourself, Piper. 

“Well? What are you waiting for?” he wondered, opening the carriage door and extending his hand in an attempt to help her up the steps of the carriage. “Get in.”

“I don’t need your assistance,” Piper responded, blinking and exhaling slowly as she readied herself and began wobbling towards him before shoving his hand away as she tried to avoid the uneven gaps on the pavement. “I can get up on my own-”

Spoke too soon, idiot.

Piper lost her footing and stumbled, accidentally wedging her heel in-between one of the cracks which made her right ankle bend at an awkward angle as she found herself ungracefully diving face-first towards the ragged pavement. She hitched her breath and squeezed her eyes shut as she braced for the harsh impact, only to be taken by surprise when a strong pair of hands broke her fall and caught her mid-air, the sudden change in momentum making her unintentionally bury her face against the person’s chest as they both steadied each other and tried to regain balance.

There was only one person within her proximity who was capable of catching her in the nick of time, and Piper felt her heart race as she clutched his arms and felt the rise and fall of his chest, her head thrown into disarray. He was warm- comfortingly warm to the touch, and he smelled of linen, tea, and the faintest notes of cheap fabric softener and bleach which were heavily reminiscent of home. She remained in the same position for a few more seconds, immovable and paralyzed by an inexplicable sensation as she listened to the steady rhythm of his heartbeat.

What are you doing, Piper?

Get off! Get the fuck off of him, you fucking idiot!

“You don’t need assistance…” Levi trailed amusingly, his voice reverberating through his chest which caused Piper’s cheeks to burn as he continued holding her. “Right. How’s that going for you, imp?” Piper flinched and shoved herself away from him, sudden realization dawning upon her as she averted her gaze and brushed down her dress, horrified.

“Don’t let it get to your head, midget.” she mumbled bashfully, hurriedly climbing up the steps of the carriage before diverting her attention towards the window, unwilling to look him in the eye as he entered shortly afterwards and sat right across from her. The coachman jerked the horses’ reins and soon their carriage began to move, inquisitive scouts and curious passersby attempting to catch a glimpse of who was seated inside as they headed for Trost's inner gate. The horses picked up their speed once they’d left the confinements of their headquarters, and Piper quietly observed as they passed the different houses and establishments in a blur. She’d heard the toll of the bells as the Garrisons signaled to raise the gate, and the endless fields of viridian greeted her once more as they finally passed through and began their lengthy journey towards the capital.

It’ll take the entire day to ride to Mitras , Piper thought, idly counting the trees they passed as she recounted the carriage ride she and Julia shared with Erwin when they first joined, in hopes of preventing herself from recalling her undignifying mishap. If we keep up the pace, we just might make it with a little bit of sunlight to spare.

Not much was said between the two of them as they rode towards the capital; Levi didn’t seem all too pleased with the idea of representing the regiment in a social gathering either as he stared out his window with a deep frown, brooding. That makes two of us , Piper mused, tilting her head furtively to get a better look at him. Her mind was wandering again- no, her eyes were wandering again. She was being perceptive of the interior of the carriage- no, of the stoic man in front of her- for reasons she didn’t want to admit to herself, and she chewed at her lip in agitation, cursing in silence as the self-awareness struck her.

What’s wrong with you today? 

Get ahold of yourself. This is unbecoming of you. 

Despite the surly expression, he seemed at peace within that moment, and Piper wanted to preserve that very image of him. His head was propped up on an elbow that was resting languidly against the trim of the window, and the pale, mid-morning sunlight shone on his face, illuminating his angular features. It pains me to admit it, but midget’s undeniably good-looking. No wonder all the girls near HQ keep squealing every time he walks by. 

Instinctively, Levi tore his eyes away from the window as if he’d somehow known that she was observing him at that instance, and their gazes briefly met as Piper looked away. She could see from her periphery however that his eyes still lingered on her, and so she glanced back at him, watching intently as his steely eyes reflexively darted back to the window as if nothing had happened. 

I see where this is going.

This exchange of furtive glances continued for quite some time as both of them kept to themselves- yet at the same time not, the frequent occurrence eventually morphing into a mental minigame of who would slip up first and successfully catch the other staring or checking them out. It was inarguably childish and coy in nature, but it did the trick in passing time and shattering the air of unease between them. 

Piper lost track of time afterwards, but it appeared to be a little past noon when their carriage passed through the gates of Ehrmich since the market square was packed with residents and merchants. Feeling a little weary, she lowered her head and chose to stare at her hands while listening to the soothing sounds of pebbles crunching beneath the rolling wheels of their carriage. She must’ve dozed off not long after, for the sun was halfway through setting behind the distant mountains in the west when she looked up from her lap, and an orange hue coated the familiar, lush evergreens they passed. The outline of the royal castle was also visible on the horizon, and Piper found herself swimming in dread once more as they began their approach to the pristine capital. 

“Looks like we’ve got traffic,” she managed to say as their ride slowed to a halt, eyeing the long line of wagons and carriages in front of them disinterestedly. “How big is this party supposed to be?” 

“Besides the designated representatives of each branch, numerous veteran officers, retired officials, and their respective families will be present,” Levi responded, glancing at her knowingly as she anxiously fiddled with the ends of her dress. “Along with those unfit, liquor-addled merchant bosses who could barely walk on their feet, and spend night and day gambling their fortunes or sleeping with their colleagues’ wives.”

“The worst lot of them all.” Piper scoffed, rolling her eyes and resting her head on her hand as she aimlessly watched the Military Police inspect the carriages ahead of them, requesting each ride for the distinguishable invitation before allowing them to proceed through the checkpoint. Take your time, you overprivileged dogs. I’m in no rush to get the party started. 

It was well after dark when their carriage finally arrived at the gates of the largest manor within Mitras, and raucous laughter and applause resonated from within as the acoustic accompaniment finished their musical piece. Numerous carriages were lined throughout the street, neighboring horses nickering and snorting to each other as they patiently awaited their masters who were no doubt enjoying themselves inside. 

“Fashionably late.” Levi proclaimed, clicking his tongue in resentment as he stepped out of the carriage and held the door. Piper rose from her seat and followed, apprehensively peering down at the steps and the smooth cobblestone as she tested the steadiness of her footing. One foot at a time, she mentally noted as she gripped the rail and planted her right foot down onto the ground. One foot at a time- 

“Shit!” Piper’s foot slipped from the heel yet again, causing her ankle to roll outwards as she missed the handrail and fell. Just like before, Levi was quick to react and rushed to her side, instantly breaking her fall as he snagged her by the waist and gripped the rail for support. 

“Fuck’s sake, watch where you’re stepping, imp!” he hissed, releasing her once she’d steadied herself. Piper turned away when she felt her cheeks flush once more, embarrassed by her clumsiness. “Is your foot alright?” he then questioned, his tone softer as he worriedly looked at her. “That was the same foot you twisted earlier.”

“It’s fine,” Piper replied, cautiously stretching her ankle before awkwardly stumbling towards the entrance, still struggling to walk. “Let’s just go.” 

“Alright,” Levi sighed, stopping in front of her and promptly extending his hand as his concern persisted. “Hold on to me. I’ll walk you to the entrance.”

“I said I’m fine, midget. You don’t have to worry about-”

“Quit whining like a stubborn brat and take my hand before you decorate the streets with that face of yours,” he ordered sharply as Piper continued to protest. “Or take those heels off before you break both of your ankles. I’m not planning on carrying you for the rest of the night if that happens.” 

“I already told you, I’m fine. Now, will you please get out of my way before-”

“Fuck it, Brunswick. I don’t have time for this.” Fed up and unwilling to argue further, Levi slipped his hand onto Piper’s and dragged her towards the entrance, blatantly ignoring her harsh protestations and tightening his hold on her hand every time she attempted to wrench her hand away. Seeing that it was useless to continue resisting, Piper gave in and reluctantly followed, somewhat grateful for the darkness that was concealing the vibrant blush that settled on her face. 

Warm. His hands are warm. A stark contrast to her frigid ones, her head was reeling in confusion, overwhelmed by the flurry of emotions that flooded her system as he continued to hold her. His grip is firm, yet gentle enough. He’s showing restraint- he doesn’t want to hold on too tightly. 

This isn’t right.

Piper, focus. 

The warm glow of the venue welcomed them as Levi pushed the door open, revealing the stately gala that occurred within as the people danced, mingled, and ate with one another. She could already pluck out a few familiar faces among the established crowd, and Piper gulped as she took in the imposing scenario before her. Clients and associates father once knew, shifty aristocrats who led double lives and dealt shady dealings in the Underground, and- oh? Is that Nile over there? Is he staring in my direction? 

Despite the multiple chandeliers that hung overhead and the candelabra on each table, it was seemingly colder inside, and an unsettling shiver ran down her spine as several of the guests turned their heads to get a better look at the new arrivals. It felt as though all eyes were on her, and she felt dwarfed in comparison to all of them. She could already feel that she was unwelcome in the gathering. “What’s the matter?” Levi asked, tugging her hand and cocking a brow as she remained frozen in place. “Cat got your tongue?” 

Piper shook her head and pulled her hand back, completely forgetting that he’d been holding her the entire time as she continued staring ahead. “Midget, everyone’s looking.” she muttered, grimacing as she awkwardly tugged at her dress, feeling exposed under their harsh, snotty stares.

“Of course they are, they’ve been expecting us.” he shrugged in response, jerking his head as he motioned for her to interact with the other guests before setting off towards the opposite end of the room. “Go on, talk to them. I’ll be over here, entertaining the others.”

Upon seeing Levi depart, Nile finally excused himself from the aristocrat he’d been conversing with and approached Piper, a scornful grin crossing his face as he sauntered towards her. “It’s a pleasant surprise to see you here tonight, Piper.” he cooed, chuckling in disbelief as he mockingly patted her on the shoulder, the same condescending look visible in his beady eyes despite his otherwise contrasting body language. “You look completely different from the last time I saw you. Say, what brings you here?”

Mind your words and your actions throughout the gathering. Everyone will be watching and listening to you. Piper recalled Erwin’s words as she tried to keep her temper in check, disinclined to stir a commotion amid the high-strung crowd, and bring unwanted attention to herself despite her growing irritation. Collect yourself, he’s not worth it.

Piper flashed him a tight-lipped smile in acknowledgment as she stiffened her shoulders and briefly shook his hand, electing to suppress her emotions and ignore his feeble attempts at breaking her composure as nosy partygoers turned to tune in on their exchange. “Erwin had some things to settle today. Your lackeys- men sent the word out late, so he couldn’t make it personally,” she responded stoically, averting her gaze as Nile continued staring her down. “I’m here on his behalf. He sends his regards.” 

“Straight to business, huh? Is that how it is?” he taunted, glancing around before leaning over and whispering in her ear. “You’ve changed, Butcher. Who would’ve known that degenerate scum like you were capable of doing so.”

“What do you want, Nile? Here to ruin my evening? Put on airs? Maybe even reveal my secret to everyone in this room and have me executed on the spot? Don’t you have something better to do? This party’s big enough for both of us.” 

“Relax, Brunswick. I’m just messing with you,” Nile chuckled, raising his hands in resignation and defense as he motioned for her to settle down, heedful of the indignant tenor of her voice. “Whatever happened in the past, stays in the past; your secret’s safe with me. You seem to be pretty useful in Erwin’s eyes- for now, at least- so I won’t bother questioning your presence here in this fine evening. Unless- theoretically speaking- you’re planning to stir up another commotion, of course.”

“Oh yeah, definitely.” Piper scoffed sarcastically, crossing her arms as she eyed the center of the room with disgust. “Definitely came to this party out of my own volition just to slit some random fool’s throat, steal their jewels and make a run for it.”

“Looks like that sharp tongue of yours is still intact. Send my regards to that redhead friend of yours- Hartmann was it?” 

“I’ll mull it over.” 

“Hey, Nile! Who's your wonderful lady friend over ‘ere?” a gruff man in a stiff tuxedo chortled, stumbling towards Nile and nudging him forcefully. His jerky, unpoised movements prompted the drink he held to spill onto his suit, staining the structured fabric as he slid into their conversation, uninvited. “Come on, don’t be shy, gimme a proper introduction to this fine woman o’ yours.”

“Arno Dettinger, captain of Yarckel District’s Military Police,” Nile motioned towards the unkempt man, his face writhing in disgust before turning back to Piper, semi-apologetic for his unwanted companion’s unprofessional stature. “Piper Brunswick. Erwin’s a common friend of ours.” he continued, watching in anticipation as the man- Arno, teetered back and forth before snorting and releasing a queasy belch from his system that made heads turn in dissatisfaction. 

“Oh, so she’s one of those suicidal maniacs too?” Arno managed to say in-between a succession of burps, shooting Piper a sideward glance as he snickered and roughly clapped Nile on the back. “You could say that.” Nile grumbled in return, glaring disapprovingly at him as he shrugged himself away and rubbed the impacted area. 

“Lemme tell ya something real quick, luv,” Arno’s wine splashed onto him again when he swiveled and focused his attention on Piper, sensually brushing a clammy hand against her bare shoulder. “You’re too pretty to hang ‘round with those suicidal freaks. You should just stick around with us MP, ya know? We got the money, the security, and the luxury-” 

Lay another hand on me, pissface, and I’ll send you flying across the room.

“Hey, Arno. Watch it,” Nile warned, cautious of the friction that was rising in-between their group, also unwilling to stir a confrontation in the midst of the function. Beads of sweat formed and trickled down his temples as he glanced at Piper who shot him daggers. “She bites.” 

“I love a woman who bites!” the drunken bastard slinked his arm around her waist, winking and flashing a toothy grin which exposed his one golden canine, a tacky status symbol that was commonly found among the nouveau riche; it spoke volumes about the kind of man that he was. “Say, darlin’. Fancy a dance with me?” he whispered to her ear, the light from the chandeliers reflecting off of his golden tooth as he smiled devilishly, accentuating his repugnant appearance. 

“I don’t dance,” Piper tried to pry his hand away, heartbeat spiking and vision flashing red when Arno refused to budge and pulled her closer, tightening his hold on her waist as he slid his hand lower. Get off me, you sick fuck. “Find another partner.” she breathed shakily, tensing up as he pervertedly felt her figure.

“Hey, Arno! Knock it off.” Nile demanded, glancing nervously between him and the watchful crowd as Arno inched closer, crooked thoughts and vile intentions swimming in his head as he eyed Piper lustfully. The situation had taken a turn for the worse, and Arno’s behavior was abhorrent and unacceptable; he certainly wasn’t setting a good image for the Military Police, and this bothered Nile tremendously as the number of attendees who observed the commotion grew. “That’s out of line!” 

I can’t make a scene. I can’t make a fucking scene. If only I had my knife with me. 

How do I get out of this, unscathed? 

“Come on, sweetie. Just for a little while?” his breath was fanning the crook of her neck now, prompting goosebumps to reemerge on her skin and a petrifying chill to trickle down her back as her breath hitched in terror; the overpowering stench of liquor that emanated from Arno’s entire being made Piper’s eyes water and her stomach churn as she frantically searched the room for Levi, feeling helpless. Midget, where the hell are you? “I promise it’ll be fun.”

“You’ll have to excuse me, sir, but I’m obliged to refuse your offer.”

“Aw come on, why’s that?”

Because you’re a repulsive little piece of shit who’s about to lose all the sensation in his arm if you don’t step back right this instant. 

“Because she’s accounted for.” Hearing Levi‘s voice at that instant brought about a sense of relief and security over her as he finally reemerged from god-knows-where, unmistakably revolted and disquieted by the circumstances that were laid bare in front of him. Arno froze in fear and recognition at the sight of the captain, drunken bravado disappearing without a trace from his person as Levi shot him a pointed glare that made even Nile uneasy. “You heard her. No means no. Or is that pea-sized brain of yours drowning in so much wine that it’s incapable of comprehending such a simple word?”

“Captain Levi! I- I didn’t realize you were together! My- my sincerest apologies!” Arno stammered, face shriveling in horror as he immediately released Piper. Without missing a beat, Piper harshly elbowed his sternum, knocking the wind out of him and causing him to double over in pain as she pushed him away and towards Nile, repulsed.

“I’ll take it from here,” Nile stated as he steadied his inebriated charge, immensely disappointed. “Apologies for inconveniencing the both of you, especially you, Piper. Rest assured that Arno will be placed under disciplinary action for his unacceptable behavior. Please, enjoy the rest of the evening.” 

“Let’s go, I managed to get us a table.” Levi said to her as he gently took her hand and guided her away from Arno and through the buzzing room. The softness in his tone and expression returned, and Piper flinched at the contact of her hand with his, turmoil stirring within her as she sought the surprising comfort of his touch. “Your hand’s freezing.” he expressed after a while, brows furrowed in concern as he worriedly rubbed the back of her palm with his thumb.

Piper kept her head down and wearily gazed at the hand he held, unable to look him in the eye. This was unbecoming of her. She’d been completely out of it since this morning, and she detested how helpless and little she felt and appeared in the midst of it all- this wasn’t who she was supposed to be. “My hands are always cold,” she dismissed, brushing off his concerns as she anxiously squeezed his hand in hopes of passing the gesture off as a form of reassurance from her end; she didn’t want to burden Levi any further. That’s all she’d been doing the entire day. “I’m fine.” No, I’m not fine at all.

Piper released his hand and wobbled towards the empty table that was beckoning for them- she’d been so preoccupied with the whole ordeal with Arno and Nile that she’d managed to somehow forget about her throbbing feet and unsteady heels- and watched in confusion as he shut his eyes in contemplation and peeled off his blazer. 

“Here, wear this,” Levi stated calmly as he placed the garment on her shoulders, his tone and expression still exhibiting the uncharacteristic warmth and tenderness. “You’ll catch a cold if you don’t cover up.” 

Piper clutched the edges of his jacket in shock, feeling another flush creep up her cheeks as it rested snugly on her shoulders, providing her with the much-needed warmth she’d been yearning for since the day began. She couldn’t accept it- this gesture was wholly inappropriate and strictly unprofessional in her eyes. Why are you like this all of a sudden, midget?

“No,” she shook her head vehemently, nonplussed as she attempted to take the jacket off, only to be stopped midway by him. “I’m fine. You don’t have to-”

“Piper, your hands are freezing, and you’ve been shivering this entire time. Don’t act like I haven’t noticed.”

“People have been staring at me this whole time,” she warned, glancing around warily. “I know you mean well- which is fucking surprising actually, especially from you, jackass- but I’ve already garnered way too much attention to myself because of that incident with Arno, and walking around this party wearing your coat is sure to send the wrong idea to these buffoons.”

“It’s just a blazer, imp.” Levi pressed, giving her wrist a light squeeze when she tried to take it off again. “Just take it, please.” 

You’re not giving up, are you?

“I- fine.” Piper dropped her hand in surrender and relaxed her shoulders, allowing the lent coat to freely drape over her as she pulled the chair back and sat down in resignation. “Thanks.” she mumbled, looking at him as he gripped the top rail of her chair and remained standing, surveying the crowd.

“Why didn’t you bring a coat?”

“I was supposed to, but four-eyes wouldn’t let me. Idiot kept insisting it would throw my whole look off.”

“Of course she would.” he grumbled, fluidly taking a glass of wine from a passing server’s tray and setting it down in front of her before setting off towards the general direction of the main gathering. “Whatever. Try to keep warm, and stay there. I’ll handle the rest of the talking.” 

“Hey- where are you going?”

“Quit worrying for a second, Brunswick, and just enjoy yourself. I’ll be back.” 

He truly was an enigma. A wildcard in this wicked game. Every time Piper was certain that she’d finally figured him out, he would simply pull the unthinkable, and throw her back into the same loop of confusion. It was terrifying yet magnetic how unpredictable Levi was towards her. On the outside- and most days- he was this detached, straight-laced son of a bitch she absolutely detested, but there were rare and intimate times- just like this, where she genuinely enjoyed his company, and he was unnervingly compassionate and understanding to her for reasons entirely unknown. She hated it. She hated how conflicted he made her feel, and she absolutely hated the nagging, indescribable feeling at the very depths of her being that kept her restless at night these past few weeks. If only he wasn’t such a complicated person. 

Piper sank lower on her chair and readjusted the blazer on her shoulders, clutching its sleeves contemplatively as she caught a whiff of his scent from it, stomach buzzing and heart skipping a beat as she felt her cheeks redden for the nth time tonight. I bet those girls out there would kill for this jacket of his. I could earn a reasonable amount by selling this, she mulled, smiling pathetically to herself. 

“Fuck people, and fuck feelings, right?” Piper sighed defeatedly, burying her face in her hands and giving in and surrendering to her tumultuous emotions. She raised the glass of wine and took a swig, watching Levi from afar as he smoothly interacted with the officials and aristocrats who approached, periodically glancing back at her direction to see if she was still there before nodding firmly and diverting his attention back to the people he conversed with.

Their evening was off to a great start, and she was positive that they both had a long night ahead of them. 

Oh, this was just the beginning. 

Notes:

Tumblr saw it first, but I made a moodboard for this arc in general. Ngl, this whole arc's probably my favorite part of the fic as of late.

Art Deco- Lana Del Rey
(Go give this song a listen too because this song heavily inspired this chapter and the succeeding ones ;-0)

As usual, see y'all in the next, and comments and kudos are highly appreciated!

Chapter 10: Party for Two (The Evening in Mitras, Part 2)

Chapter Text

No matter how hard she tried, social gatherings never ceased to render Piper incapable. She’d struggled with public interactions ever since she was a child; conversing with various strangers for reasons she couldn’t grasp made her stumble over her words and thoughts, stepping onstage and presenting speeches for numerous individuals she didn’t personally know or establish a formal connection with gave her nightmares, and the mere thought of older, affluent folk staring at her- judging her presence from head to toe and criticizing the very depths of her being- often sent her into an inconsolable frenzy of panic and incoherence.

Thus, it made sense for her to thrive in crime and underground dealings; a lifestyle of misconduct demanded utmost discretion, blending into the shadows, and keeping away from unwanted attention or the spotlight- it was perfect for her. Criminals and killers alike frequently shared one common characteristic, and that was their tremendous lack of social skills. Besides, commonfolk never dared to suspect the quiet ones, and this gave Piper a tremendous advantage in her craft. People were certain that only the boisterous and unhinged individuals were capable of committing to a life of crime and deceit; they clung to the belief that the silent, unsociable ones were too cowardly or paralyzed by their fear of public attention to attempt to break even the simplest of rules.

This unfortunate stereotype was one of the main reasons why Piper excelled and got away with her antics as the Butcher of Mitras for over half a decade, with only a select few individuals knowing of or managing to successfully discover her true identity along the way. The quiet ones always got away with the most heinous deeds.

Piper readjusted the blazer on her shoulders and swirled the wine on her glass as she detachedly observed the stage in front of her, barely paying attention as the aristocrat concluded his overly-patriotic speech riddled with flowery statements and half-hearted sentiments about sympathizing with the victims of the fall of Wall Maria, eliciting a standing ovation and poignant accolades from the beguiled audience that gathered before him as they howled and toasted their wine glasses in approval. All talk, and no bite, of course , she thought to herself, cynicism taking hold yet again as she rested her chin against the top rail of her seat and downed the remaining contents of her wine glass, frowning. These dimwits only care about themselves. As long as their fortunes and lives are secure, these two-faced scum wouldn’t even dare to spare a single coin for the needy.

“Fancy a dance with me, madam?” a pleasant, yet tremulous voice inquired, catching her attention. The young man in the pressed suit who stood before her was a far cry from the likes of Arno or Nile. He didn’t appear to be the revolting sort or have any underlying malice in his intentions, but Piper wasn’t in the mood for festivities. Truth be told, if given the chance, she would’ve done anything just to escape the wretched place and trade the impractical dress and heels she wore; she was sick of posturing for the sake of attracting benefactors or keeping in the royal court's good graces. This was supposed to be Erwin’s job, not mine.

“I’m sorry,” Piper replied, pursing her lips and turning around to face her bright-eyed suitor. “I’m not in the mood to dance.”

“That’s unfortunate,” he responded, glancing at the empty chair in front of her with a pondering look. “Mind if I keep you company? You look like you need it. It’s alright if you don’t want, or if you’re not comfortable with me. To be honest, I’m not really feeling this party either. I guess I’m just looking for someone I could probably relate to or hold a conversation with amidst all these important figures.”

He’s rambling. Probably nervous.

I know how you feel, bud, but I’ve had my fair share of unwanted company for the rest of this evening. Better luck next time.

“Sorry to let you down, but I’ve already got company.” Oddly enough, Piper felt bad for turning him away. This soiree's getting to me, I'm growing soft. She didn’t have the energy to entertain him or anyone, especially after the incident with Arno that nearly spiraled out of control. She really just wanted to go home, lock herself up in her quarters, and shut out everyone and everything for several days; she wasn’t sure she had any sense of dignity left in her. “You’d best get going if you know what’s good for you,” she added, casting him a sidelong glance as she shifted and redirected her attention towards the stage and the empty wine glass she held, signaling the end of their conversation. “My partner’s not as tolerant as me.”

“Oh, I see. May I have your name, at least? In case we stumble into each other again in the near future.”

“Aster.” A pretentious-sounding name, fit for a pretentious little bastard who’s trying to survive this pretentious celebration.

Compulsive lying at its finest.

I’d probably be richer than the king right now if I had a coin for every single time I lied. Someone should seriously keep track, and compensate me for this.

“Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Aster. I wish you a pleasant evening.” She didn’t have to look back at him to know that he had already taken his leave and departed, and for that, Piper was glad. A few more moments ambled by as she idly watched the new speaker onstage who monotonously drawled on.

“Aster, huh?” Not another one of these blokes. Move along shitface, I know the name sounds pretentious, and no I will not dance with you.

“What the fuck do you want-” Piper instinctively lifted her gaze from the wine glass and brusquely turned away from the stage to face her new intruder, only to stop herself midway upon realizing it was just Levi who had finally returned from his bout of socializing with the different nobles, teacup in one hand and a filled wine glass in the other as he stared at her with a raised brow. “Oh, it’s just you,” she mumbled afterwards, flashing him an apologetic glance as she gestured towards the direction her previous suitor went off to. “Thought you were another persistent idiot who wanted to ask me for a dance or something.”

“You’re a handful, you know?” Levi stated in response, exhaling heavily as he sat down and shook his head before handing the replenished wine glass which Piper appreciatively took. “You alright?”

“Could be better,” she shrugged nonchalantly before taking another sip of the burgundy liquid. “It’s still cold as hell, all these idiots are staring at me as if I’ve somehow managed to grow a third eye in the middle of my forehead, and this party’s too loud for my liking. But hey, who am I to complain, right? It’s all part of the job.”

Silence befell their table as their short-lived conversation fizzled out, and Piper redirected her attention back to the stage as another presenter stepped into the spotlight and droned on about his ambitions and fickle dreams for the future of Mitras (heavy emphasis on Mitras- and just Mitras, of course). The current speaker was blander and more predictable than the previous two fools she had watched, and she was finding it harder to maintain her focus and take them seriously as the minutes passed. 

Eventually disinterested and turned off by the heavy politics and nonsensical flatteries that littered his so-called speech (if you could even consider it a speech; in all honesty, it sounded as if the bloke just strung together a bunch of ‘big’ words and called it a day), Piper decided to observe the center of the ballroom with great disdain as several guests gathered and danced to the melodious music that the hired musicians produced. At least the music here is pleasant, she thought as the established pianist opted for a slower, melodic rhythm and signaled his accompaniment to follow suit.

“Look at them,” she scoffed, glancing at her raven-haired companion who was also intently observing the frivolous celebrations that commenced before them. “Dancing and drinking without a care in the world as if nothing’s out of place and everything’s alright. You wouldn’t even think that we’re undergoing a humanitarian crisis based on how much they’re all enjoying themselves over there.”

“That’s the rich for you,” Levi said as he shut his eyes in contemplation and lifted the cup of tea to his lips. “They live sheltered, privileged lives, so you can’t expect them to properly empathize with the struggles of the people beneath them. They wouldn’t have any inkling whatsoever about suffering and hardships because they’re too concerned about preserving their own glorified shit.”

Piper didn’t bother with a verbal response and simply continued watching in silence as the people waltzed, motions and colors blurring together to replicate an abstract painting as the vibrant dresses of the dancing women gracefully swept the floor every time they spun, forming what appeared to be a colorful, ever-moving sea of silks, velvets, chiffons, and tulles. They were all dancing at their own pace- some visibly trying to outdance or outperform their counterparts, but the commotion was still pleasant to the eye. In a sense, one could even consider the sight as romantic, and the warm, golden light that emanated from the intricate, overhanging chandeliers further amplified the picturesque atmosphere of it all. 

Others who were eagerly awaiting their turn to dance swooned and gushed as some of the men dramatically hoisted their partners upwards, earning a round of applause from spectators. It felt and looked like a scene that was ripped out of those typical, cliche fairytale books. All that was lacking was a pauper who had enamored the wonderful Prince Charming and said Prince Charming who was willing to risk it all just to be able to dance with her for all the world to see.

If only this was a fairytale, and I was one of those fortunate paupers waiting to be whisked away by Prince Charming.

Life would’ve been so much better compared to this shitshow I have to endure.

“Nearly everyone’s busy dancing now.” Piper declared, briefly looking away from the ballroom to survey the neighboring tables. True enough, most of the nearby chairs and tables were empty; the small percentage of partygoers who were scattered throughout the area, far from the ballroom, comprised of older officials and aristocrats who were well past their primes to engage in such an energetic and physically tasking activity, along with unfortunate individuals who just didn’t luck out and score a partner in time. Talk about humiliating. 

“Change of heart?” Levi questioned, snapping Piper out of her trance and prompting her to flash him an incredulous scowl as she finished the second glass of wine. “It’s a slow tune. You should go and take that other guy's offer for a dance while it's early.”

“Perish the thought, I was just appreciating the view,” she scoffed bitterly, vehemently shaking her head as she motioned to the nearby server to retrieve the two empty glasses in front of her and replenish her drink. I should probably take it slow with the alcohol. “Even if I did want to dance tonight, I can’t dance for shit, and more importantly, I could barely walk in these bloody heels- you should know. You can’t seriously expect me to carry myself in a dance if I keep tripping over my own goddamn feet. I’ll get trampled alive if I even dare to bother.” 

“Is that the only thing that’s stopping you?”

“I mean, yeah.” Piper momentarily met his gaze and shrugged as she placidly drummed her fingers on the table. Bingo midget, you’ve read my mind. Seriously, are you psychic or something? “I’d rather not make a fool of myself out there and have you clean up for me again. We already have a shitty reputation as it is, and I’m fairly certain that having me dance with those buffoons is a surefire way to further complicate things for us.”

Levi glanced past her shoulder, ruminative as the current batch of dancers concluded their performance, making the audience erupt into another bout of raucous applause. His dark eyes flickered between the musicians and the main ballroom, frown deepening as though he were deliberating something trivial and important. Upon hearing the first few notes that sounded from the grand piano as the accompaniment began a new tune that echoed through the high walls and domed ceilings of the villa, he immediately stood up from his seat and approached Piper, bewildering her.

“Pipsqueak, what’s up?” she asked, standing up in turn and following his distant look as she received the new glass of wine from the server who had just returned. “You look like you’re contemplating whether or not it’s a good idea to stab these pompous bastards in the face or something. I’d be down to back you up, you know. Especially if it gives us a valid excuse to finally leave this place.”

The stoic captain blinked, and Piper heard the signature “Tch.” escape his lips as he seemingly came to his senses. “Take my hand,” he then instructed, an unfamiliar glint settling in his murky irises as he eventually tore his eyes from the center, and Piper’s brows knitted in confusion as she met his narrow gaze and habitually fiddled with the collar of his blazer to ease her nerves.

“...What for?”

“Come on, while the music’s slow,” he responded softly, and Piper could’ve sworn that a slight flush was creeping up his cheeks in that instant as he extended his hand. It’s probably just the lighting. Or am I seeing things? “I’ll teach you how to dance.”

I’m sorry, you’re gonna do what now?

“What the- no.” Piper slapped his hand away and stepped back, puzzled. Is it the wine? No, he’s been drinking that pretentious tea of his ever since. Wait, is his fucking tea spiked? No- shit, no. Maybe it’s the wine I've been drinking. It’s probably me; I must be hearing AND seeing things. “No. No way, midget. Were you even paying attention to what I said earlier? I couldn’t walk straight with these godforsaken heels on, for crying out loud.”

“Then take off those stupid heels. You look miserable in them anyways.”

“Aww, are they bothering you because it adds a few inches to my height?” she jeered as she decided to mockingly pat him on the head, provoking a disgruntled scowl to cross his face at once. Piper was dead set and willing to stir up another petty and needless altercation with him just to stall time and avoid dancing altogether. “If you wanted to borrow them, you could’ve just told me! Although I’m not entirely sure that they'd fit you. It wouldn’t hurt to try though. The additional height’s definitely worth the risk.”

“Take off your heels, Piper.” Levi barked, taking advantage of her outstretched hand that was still busy patting his head and snatching it before she could even register what was happening. “That’s an order.”

Piper flinched at his touch and felt a bright crimson wash over her face when he gave her hand a light squeeze. The same queasy feeling reemerged and gnawed at the pits of her stomach, and she hung her head in resignation upon realizing that it was hopeless to argue. “Do you even know how to dance in the first place?” she muttered, inelegantly kicking her heels underneath the table before shifting her weight uncomfortably as her bare feet tried to adjust to the cold marble floor. “You definitely don’t strike me as the dancing sort.”

Levi didn’t respond and simply looked away, the tension in his jaw apparent. Oh my god, he doesn’t know how to dance. “Let me guess,” Piper trailed with a knowing intonation, hand on hip and a wry smile inching up the corners of her mouth as he refused to look at her. “You don’t know how to dance as well.” 

“...We’ll figure it out along the way,” he muttered irritably, clicking his tongue. “Now hurry up.”

You've got to be kidding me, midget.

“Seriously, are you unwell? Did someone spike your tea? Did you hit your head? Should I call for a doctor now?” Piper apprehensively fiddled with one of the buttons of his jacket in an attempt to distract herself when they began approaching the crowd. She could feel numerous pairs of eyes landing on them, stares of fascination, condescension, and intrigue joining together to watch in envy or longing as he dragged her in for a dance. Most girls would willingly kill or immediately jump at the rare opportunity of accompanying Levi to a dance, she recalled Hanji’s statement from the previous day. “This really isn’t like you, you know.”

She was thoroughly convinced now that there was something in his tea that was making him act this way. It’s the only logical and realistic explanation behind this idiot’s out of character behavior. Perhaps a potent drug of some sort? Hallucinogens? Bleach? Fuck, I don’t know anymore.

Why are you so goddamn confusing?

“It’s mandatory to participate in at least one dance throughout the evening,” he explained, looking back at her with the same uncharacteristic warmth in his eyes. She hitched her breath and felt her stomach knot as she stared at their intertwined hands, cheeks burning an embarrassing tinge of bright crimson when he gave her hand another gentle squeeze and stroked the back of her palm with his thumb as a form of reassurance. “Call it absurd, or whatever colorful insult you could think of at this point, but that’s just the way it is with these stupid gatherings. I’m trying to do you a favor here.”

“If I trip over my feet and fall-”

“I’ll catch you.” he gave her hand one final squeeze in hopes of appeasing her visible discomfort, and Piper mentally chastised herself for allowing her mind to slip and inappropriately wander and dwell around the electrifying softness of his hand. Stop it. Stop it, Piper. Don’t you dare.

“This is your way of getting back at me for all the bullshit I’ve spewed or thrown at you these past few months now, isn’t it?” Piper questioned, plodding behind Levi at a steady pace as he continued to lead her towards the center, ignoring the hushed whispers that were starting to circulate from the hawk-eyed crowd. “Fine. You win. Let’s just get this over with, so we can all go home and never talk about this instance ever again.”

“Whatever you say. And stop standing like you’re trying to hold in your shit, people are looking at us.”

“What am I… what am I supposed to do?” Ignore the prying eyes, and you’ll be fine. Deep breaths.

“Fuck’s sake you really are hopeless, imp. Give me your hands.”

“You’re already holding my other hand, midget.”

“Give me your other hand,” Levi demanded. Piper bit the inside of her cheek and reluctantly extended her free hand, watching as he patiently guided it to the back of his shoulder. “Try to maintain this position.”

“Is… that it?” she wondered, her entire body stiffening and jolting in shock when he loosely wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her close, closing the gap between them. The scent of tea that clung to him was much stronger and overpowering- intoxicating even, in comparison to the smell of linen and bleach that bled from his coat and inevitably clung to her skin, mixing with her own scent. 

The room was spinning out of control; everything felt so distant and surreal. The taste of bile lingered at the back of her tongue, and her racing heartbeat drowned out the music and the deafening commotion that surrounded them. The moving figures that danced alongside them were blurring together into an indistinguishable backdrop of golds, greys, beiges, and blacks, making the very man who was standing mere inches away from her stand in sharp contrast against the chaotic mess of it all. “You’re- you’re too close.” Piper breathed, voice shaky and eyes darting everywhere as she began to squirm and panic, accidentally stomping on his foot in the process. “I can’t do this, I can’t fucking do this.” This isn’t appropriate.  

Levi restrained a wince and quickly recovered his footing before adjusting his grip on her waist, steadying her. “Piper, try not to look around and stop squirming. It’s only going to make things worse,” he instructed evenly. “If it’ll help you recognize the rhythm better, pretend that you’re sparring with me.”

“I don’t know about you, but this certainly doesn’t feel like we’re bashing each other’s faces in or kicking each other in places where the sun doesn’t shine.”

“Calm down, and think of it this way: if we were fighting right now, and I stepped towards my left and aimed for your right, where would you go?”

“Step to my left to dodge your punch.” Shutting her eyes, Piper heeded her own words and cautiously moved to the left as she tried to picture the scenario in her head, earning a hum of approval from Levi who immediately followed, satisfied with her answer. “Naturally, I’d follow up by lunging forward and aiming for your right, because I’d have an opening.” Gaining a sliver of confidence, she opened her eyes and mimicked her fighting stance, placing her left foot forward before appropriately twisting her body to the right, allowing him to respond by stepping backwards with his right foot.

“We’re moving clockwise and repeating the same alternating footwork,” he affirmed, swiftly altering their direction to avoid stumbling into another dancing pair. “Underneath all those fancy routines you’re seeing is the same basic concept. Just pay attention to the music, and you'll be fine.”

Her limbs felt like jelly, and she’d lost all sensation in her fingers and toes as they continued- or rather, as she continued awkwardly shuffling across the ballroom. Levi’s movements were fluid and graceful in comparison to hers, which were awkward and graceless. Even a wet rag doll that’s been drying under the sun for too long is guaranteed to be better at dancing than I am.

The dance they shared felt like it lasted forever as if time itself had chosen to cease to exist within that very moment. Everything was seemingly moving in slow motion- from the flickering candle flames, the swishing dresses, the twirling women, down to the tempo of the fading music that was signaling the inevitable conclusion of their dance. Mustering the courage to meet the cool eyes that had displayed nothing but unwavering warmness and compassion for her, Piper lifted her head after spending most of the time watching her feet and observed his face which was devoid of the morose expression he typically harbored, memorizing each painstaking detail as she burned the very image of him at the back of her head. Her mind was swimming again; swimming in a pool of uncertainty and confusion as she found herself drowning in those steely, cobalt orbs. 

The final note eventually sounded, and a round of vigorous applause echoed and bounced through the walls of the room as they concluded their dance. It’s over, just like that. She wanted more. It was a selfish thought, but she yearned for the experience to last a little longer. Just a few more minutes, midget! she’d wanted to yell at him, and she found it surprising. 

Looks like Levi’s not the only one who’s acting out of character. Fuck’s sake, I’m a mess.

“That... wasn’t so bad,” Piper admitted to Levi, a faint smile resting on her lips as she retracted her hands and peeled away from him. Thank you, she’d wanted to say, but the words never left her mouth. “And if you look over there,” she impishly declared instead, crossing her arms before furtively nudging her head towards a group of women who were standing by the sidelines and giggling amongst themselves, hopelessly smitten as they visibly fawned and gushed over her raven-haired partner. “You’ll see that you’ve gained quite the following. Why don’t you go ahead and ask them for a dance?”

Levi shook his head and threw the infatuated bunch a quick apathetic glance, prompting them to squeal and lose their composure. Good god, these women are deprived. “Don’t even think about it, imp.” he muttered under his breath, fed up. 

“Then let’s get out of here, pipsqueak,” she chuckled, shooting him a pitiful look as she held his hand and tugged him away from the fawning crowd. “We fucking deserve it.”

Chapter 11: A Night to Remember (The Evening in Mitras, Part 3)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The silver moon rested peacefully in the midnight sky, far beyond the reach of the towering Walls and the snaking spires of the royal castle that tried to graze the horizon. Not a single cloud was in sight, and numerous stars were speckled throughout, shimmering and twinkling like spilled glitter; these celestial bodies altogether cast elongated shadows upon the smooth cobblestone as the two of them exited the unnecessarily massive doors of the expensive villa and welcomed the barren, moonlit streets of Mitras.

Piper inhaled sharply, thankful for the fresh, biting air that graced her lungs. After shrugging the lingering tension in her body and exhaling heavily, she watched in profound silence as the steam escaped her lips and ascended to the sky before dissipating entirely. The temperature had dropped significantly during their stay, and given the chill that clung to the air, she was certain that winter was just around the corner. They probably just had a few weeks left of autumn.

“Where to now?” she questioned aloud, keeping her eyes trained to the stars as she glanced at Levi from her periphery. “Back to Trost, I’m guessing?”

“It’s far too late to ride back to HQ. It took us the entire day to get here,” he responded, placing a hand on her shoulder and turning her around before carefully repositioning the blazer that hung over her frame. “And wear this properly, will you? It’s freezing. I didn’t lend you my coat just to have you slackly drape it over your shoulders.”

"Hey, seriously. You can have it back if you’re freezing-”

“I’m not having this argument again. You need it more than I do.”

“Alright, alright.” Piper shrugged her arms and slipped them through each sleeve, welcoming the additional warmth it provided. It hadn’t occurred to her until then how much bigger his jacket was in comparison to her size despite roughly being the same height as him. She was practically swimming in it, and the fabric dwarfed her petite figure even further when Levi finished buttoning it up. Now I definitely resemble a ten-year-old child who’s forcing themselves into adult clothes. “Happy now?” she mentioned afterwards, looking at him; he simply shook his head and offered his arm as he began approaching the steps. 

“Bringing it back to the topic,” Piper resumed, skeptical when she glanced around the vicinity and found no trace of their carriage. “If we’re not riding back tonight, where the hell are we supposed to go?”

“Erwin’s expecting us to stay the night here in Mitras,” Levi stated, assuring her as he casually tapped his right pocket which produced a muffled sound of jangling coins. “Riding back at this time of the night would be too exhausting on the coachman and the horses- let alone dangerous, so he’s provided an allowance for overnight accommodations.” He shoved his hand down the pocket and fished for the bag, hurriedly flashing Piper its contents before placing the leather packet back inside. “The coach is coming back for us at daybreak.”

“In the mood for an evening stroll then?” she inquired, jutting her thumb out towards the street and leaning her head to the side as she took his arm and began descending the steps with him. “The night is young, and Mitras is particularly scenic at this time of the night. Trust me, it’s from personal experience.”

“It’s eleven-thirty, last I checked. We should head to the nearest hotel immediately.”

“Come on now, midget, don’t revert to the typical buzzkill you are. It’s been five months since I last graced this hellhole with my presence,” Piper insisted, unintentionally squeezing his forearm when her foot nearly missed the final step. Damn these stupid heels, I’m gonna make Hanji eat these fuckers the moment I get back. “Besides, you can act as my personal repellent in case a thief tries to jump us. Just ‘tch’ at them and they’ll probably shit their pants or something.”

“Tch.”

“See?” she pointed out, smirking in amusement when he shot her a pointed, unamused stare. “Come on now, let me show you around. We can scout for a hotel along the way too, unless you’re planning to sleep on the sidewalk.”

“Make it fast.” Levi answered, giving in to her request. Under the cover of darkness which masked their figures and left but the faintest outline of their shifting silhouettes, Piper flashed him an appreciative smile, refusing to let him or the scarce lighting catch on to her rare display of positive, upbeat emotion as she watched his slate-colored irises fixate on the dimly-lit street. You won’t regret this.

The flames encased within the streetlamps flickered in response to the late breeze that periodically blew, casting a circular illumination of washed-out amber upon the spotless cobblestone as they ambled along with no particular direction in mind. Stillness accompanied their every step and anticipated them in every corner, making way for rumination as they recounted the day’s events while simultaneously observing their empty surroundings, engrossed in their own ceaseless thoughts and wonders.

Piper dazedly watched her reflection in each passing window, perplexed by the remorseless figure that stared back at her with unwavering intensity. Ghastly skin, dull eyes devoid of the mundane enthusiasm and vigor for life, and a paradoxical expression that was neither too serious nor too pleasant, yet undoubtedly emanated a placid, somewhat-hopeful vibe; it was like staring back at a resurrected corpse who was pleased to discover that they had been miraculously given another chance at life, and she found it slightly poetic and somewhat reflective of the inner turmoil she’d been battling in the recent weeks. Have I changed so much within such a short period that even my own reflection startles me? she thought, peering up at Levi from underneath the curtain of hair that partially shielded her face when they reached the plaza square, a wave of nostalgia washing over her as she spotted its familiar sights and recalled all that had gone down in that area during that one particular day.

The central square still had the same set-up as it did several months back, with most of the market stalls situated across the opening of the main street (where they currently stood) and the vast clearing, towards the brightly-lit sector that served as a back-alley passage and intersection from the central business district. The stalls were boarded and cloaked to secure the various merchandise they offered from unwanted visitors or slippery thieves, but she could still distinguish from afar which stall was which based on the distinct contours their underlying contents cast against the protective drapes.

A lone Military Police soldier listlessly patrolled the illuminated section, the butt of his rifle drooping and scratching against the cobblestone as he released a stifled yawn and carried on with no regard for the dragging weapon on his back. He didn’t seem to notice the two of them- or maybe he did, but he’s just ignoring us- so she continued down the plaza with the raven-haired captain. 

“You see, this oh-so-detestable market square holds some significant importance to me.” Piper’s gaze grew distant as she studied the area, eyebrows drawn together and lips pressed down into a firm line. “Five months ago, Julia and I met Erwin here, right on this very… spot,” she added, crouching down on the curb beside the apple stall, reminiscing. “If you look hard enough, you’ll probably even see a faint splotch of my blood on this particular corner.”

“Killed someone?” he inquired, swiping a hand across the surface of the apple stall before curling his lip in disgust and wringing his hand in reaction to the thick layer of dust that coated its wooden surface.

“Almost,” she chuckled, a rueful smile resting on her face as Levi continued dusting off his hand against the wooden post with a scowl. “It was a set-up.”

“What?”

“We had a job that day, and it was a set-up,” Piper stood up from the curb and habitually met his quizzical gaze, giving him a once-over before setting off towards the gaping hole in the farthest reach of the illuminated intersection. “We had a contractor who offered a fuckton of money and the promise of citizenship here in Mitras if we took out a target who was dropping by that very apple stall at noontime. Never saw the guy of course- all transactions were made through a middleman, and the prick even gave us a downpayment. We knew the job was suspicious from the get-go, but it was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Life in the Underground was too shitty for our liking, and we needed to get out, fast.”

The light from the streetlamp she stood underneath flickered and dwindled in brightness as the wind blew, threatening to extinguish the dying flame entirely. Piper shuddered and stuffed her hands inside the pockets of his blazer, ridding herself of the pitiful smile she fleetingly displayed before pausing and turning back, waiting for him to catch up. 

“The plaza was packed, but the target showed up at the intended time and place, so we tried to take advantage of the commotion and closed in for the kill. Turns out, Nile and his cohorts were hiding amongst the crowd, waiting for us to take the bait they’ve orchestrated.”

“Let me guess,” Levi replied in a matter-of-fact tone, gazing at the clock when the tolling bells penetrated the quiet atmosphere, signaling the arrival of the midnight hour. “Erwin was within the vicinity when all this happened, so he came to save your skins and made a bargain that you couldn’t refuse. Typical.”

“Gotta hand it to him though, I wouldn’t be here right now, wandering this pretentious city with you, if it weren’t for his meddlesome ass. Can’t picture how boring your life would’ve been,” she was smiling to herself again, like some giddy preschooler who was up to no good. “Imagine not having a wanted, impressionable mass-murderer show you around because she feels indebted for all the things you’ve done for her tonight. Really gets you thinking, doesn’t it?”

“Sounds like paradise to me. I would’ve had some peace of mind.”

“I smell bullshit. You’re reeking of it, midget.”

“Tch.” The corner of his mouth twitched upwards, and a faint flush emerged on his cheeks- probably a trick of the light or an illusion brought about by the shadows. “Because I’m stuck with you, imp,” Levi lifted his hand and softly whacked the back of her head, fingers momentarily lingering and moving delicately in-between untameable flaxen locks as he traced the weave of her loose braid, tenderly picking up the strands that fell to her face and tucking them away before pulling back. “Your bullshit’s rubbing off on me.”

“Glad to know that I’m helping a certain Mr. Uptight loosen up.” Piper awkwardly coughed and averted her eyes, feeling the heat rise to her face as her mind shamelessly sought the balminess of his touch. Carefully, she approached the recognizable staircase that led to the Underground, its dreariness pervading the placid atmosphere of the plaza. It was impossible to see beyond the first three steps, and a heavy feeling struck her as she gaped at the black abyss.

“And if you look over here, you’ll see one of the main access points to the Underground: this vile, detestable gloryhole I used to call home teeming with impoverished life, illegal activities, and reeking of shit and sewage waste twenty-four seven.” she declared, composing herself and dismissing the gnawing mixture of emotions that flooded her system as she looked over her shoulder and faced Levi whose features were immediately clouded by stolidity and displeasure. “Wanna try sneaking in? I could show you our ruddy little shack if that piece of crap’s still standing.”

“This shithole brings back a lot of unfavorable memories,” his voice was heavy, and Piper noticed the tension that settled on his jaw as he stood beside her and peered at the entrance with hesitance. “I’d rather not go back and relive those experiences all over again.”

“So the rumors are true then? You’re from around here, too?”

“Takes one to know one,” Levi bitterly shrugged as he studied the lone pebble on the ground, picking it up and brushing a thumb through its rough surface before passing it over to her and placing it on her palm. “It’s exactly why Erwin put me in charge of monitoring you and Julia.”

Birds of a feather flock together, huh? 

“Makes sense,” she mumbled, weighing the stone in her hand as she repeatedly tested out the strength of her toss and adjusted her trajectory. “You’ve got that harsh, lifeless look about you; the ones people who’ve gotten the short end of the stick in life share.”

Yeah, I think I understand you better now.

Piper tossed the pebble- another unfortunate victim of her lethargic pastime- and watched as it ultimately tumbled down the worn-out, grime-coated steps, the sound of stone crashing against stone echoing through the opening of the steep cavern as the rock vanished into the crawling abyss, never to be seen again. It’d be a miracle if that stone ever saw the light of day again. Good thing it’s inanimate. 

“We should head out now,” he insisted, taking her hand and departing from her side. “It’s getting late.”

“You’re heading the wrong way,” Piper called out, squeezing his hand in turn and signaling for him to stop in his tracks as she stepped back from the entrance and pointed across the street, towards the establishment that sported a flamboyant archway at its entrance and multiple curtained windows; some had their lights on, their curtains drawn, or their lattices wide open, indicating human activity. You could even hear people laughing if you paid close attention.  “Hotel’s this way.” she added, furrowing a brow at him as she tugged his hand and headed for the door. 

The overpowering aroma of cedarwood and lavender wafted in the air and greeted them as they stepped inside the hotel’s reception area, resulting in her head throbbing and her sinuses flaring up as the smell overwhelmed her senses. Wrinkling her nose, Piper withdrew from Levi and settled by the lounge, watching as he nodded understandingly to her before approaching the receptionist. 

Despite the late hour, the reception was buzzing with activity. A handful of nocturnal travelers occupied the other corner of the lounge, their hefty bags and durable outerwear quite telling of their distant origins. On the adjacent corner, some affluent individuals huddled amongst themselves and spoke in hushed tones, occasionally sticking their heads out to sneak a condescending glance at her or the other people in the room as if they were keeping an eye out for unwanted vagrants. Is it really a hotel in Mitras if we don’t have the cliche snobby guests? Of course not.

Sinking onto the leather couch felt heavenly; the day’s pent-up exhaustion had finally caught up to her, and she felt the brunt of her fatigue the moment her body made contact with the couch’s cushions. Her entire body was aching and felt as though it had suddenly doubled in weight, and her heels were numb. Sighing, Piper reclined her head and quietly looked at the ceiling, struggling to maintain consciousness and keep her eyelids from drooping.

The ambient noise faded into the backdrop before muffling out, and the ceiling spun as she found herself inevitably dozing off. It was short-lived though, for the arm she slung on top of the rest dangled limply behind the couch, and her head slipped from its position and dipped, resulting in her neck cramping up. Embarrassed, she stood up from the couch and decided to help herself with the pitcher of cold water by the stack of coffee table books and newspapers in hopes of waking herself up. 

“What?!” Levi’s alarmed voice rang through the reception hall, startling her along with the small number of guests who were awaiting their turn by the expensive-looking leather chairs. At once, Piper left her place and made her way towards his side by the counter, eager to determine what could’ve possibly ticked him at such an ungodly hour.

“I’m sorry sir, but no matter what you do, this money isn’t sufficient,” the receptionist explained, apprehension written all over his face. “The best I could do is book a single bedroom for both of you.”

“The hell do you mean?” Levi further raised his voice and slammed a fist on the desk, rattling the coins, the diffuser that was responsible for the migraine-inducing cedarwood and lavender blend, and the mini lamp on the far end, nearly causing it to tip over and fall; one of the guests flinched at his aggressive behavior, and Piper cocked a tired brow as she folded her arms, intrigued. “This is more than enough!”

“Sir, please keep your voice down, you’re disturbing the other guests.” Beads of sweat began to form on the receptionist’s temples as he raised his hands and gestured for Levi to calm down whilst nervously shifting his eyes between the two of them and the guests in the back, panic and distress written all over his face when one of the older individuals in the back scoffed in disapproval. These two are unbecoming and undeserving to be in this fine establishment, the man seemingly wanted to convey through his scoff, so she whipped around and briefly shot the arrogant man a sideward glance in response, prompting him to turn away from them. “I’m going to have to ask you both to leave if-”

“No, no.” Piper coarsely intervened and plucked the packet of coins from the table, impatience brought about by her exhaustion kicking in as she observed its contents with a furrowed brow and a tight-pressed lip, mentally computing its total sum. “My bitchy partner over here’s got a point,” she subsequently stressed, shooting the receptionist a dispassionate stare as she lethargically tossed the bag of coins back to Levi. “It’s more than enough. This amount’s capable of booking three rooms just a few months ago. You trying to scam the living shit out of us, or what?”

“You have to understand that our rates have increased since then,” he sighed in response, wary of the two ill-tempered individuals who were standing before him, demanding answers, and unwilling to test his luck by successfully provoking either of them. It’s been a rough night, and we just want to go to bed. This better be worth it. “Ever since the fall of Wall Maria, Mitras has had an influx of travelers and refugees. Most of the hotels within the vicinity have experienced overbooking within the past few months because of this, so the local government had collectively decided to increase our standard rates to free up accommodations. Forgive us for the inconvenience.”

“Bullshit, it’s all bullshit,” Piper cursed, agitatedly running a hand through her hair as she bit her lip in frustration and flashed her companion a pessimistic scowl. “As if this evening couldn’t get any worse.”

“The best I could do for you is book a single bedroom,” the receptionist repeated his alternative from earlier, hoping to reason and placate the two of them before wincing in turn when Levi reacted with his usual “Tch” upon hearing the alternative solution. Piper’s frown deepened, and she opened her mouth, initially intending to voice out a protest, before shutting it tersely as she opted to hear the receptionist out, albeit reluctantly. “It may not be ideal, and some compromises might have to be done between the two of you, but it’s certainly better than nothing.”

“By chance, did you bring any money?”

She shook her head, “Didn’t occur to me. I thought we were riding back to Trost after the party, remember?”

He slammed his fist again- although it was softer and much more restrained this time around- and she heard him mutter curses under his breath. The receptionist repositioned the lamp that tottered closer to the edge and awaited their decision as Levi continued to stare at the brass key he’d laid out for him, no doubt contemplating whether or not they should stick with the stuffy set-up, or try their luck- or unluck, let’s be fucking honest here - and take their chances someplace else.

“He’s got a point,” Piper shuffled closer and rested her arms against the edge of the counter, leaning forward to get a better look at him. “Something’s better than nothing.”

“...”

“We can’t guarantee that we’ll find some other decent accommodation that we can afford at this time of the night,” she slid the key across the surface of the table and bumped the edge of his hand, hoping he would finally accept the offer. “I’m telling you, short stack. I’m not planning on sleeping on the curb tonight.”

It’s not so bad, to be honest. I could sleep on the floor or the chair. Beats sleeping outside, that’s for sure.

… Maybe even on the toilet bowl if you’re really itching for some privacy. I mean, I’d like some privacy too, and sleeping inside a bathroom isn’t so bad either, as long as it’s clean. The place does get comfortably warm at times.

Ugh, midget just take the key, you’re making me ramble in my head.

After what felt like an eternity of intense staring, Levi grimaced, clicked his tongue, and snatched the key off the table. “We’ll take it.” he grumbled, pocketing the brass and briskly heading for the stairwell.

Piper nodded to the receptionist and gestured for him to take the bag of coins as she pushed herself away from the counter and followed Levi. Their misfortunes were piling up, one after the other, and having to restrict themselves to a shared bedroom for the rest of the night was the final nail to the coffin to their growing list of unfortunate circumstances. One thing’s for sure. Lady Luck’s not smiling down on us.

I wonder what we both did to get on her bad side.

“Here’s how it’s going to be,” he began the moment she caught up to his side, taking out the key and examining the letters engraved on its leather tag. “You’ll take the bed, and I’ll stand guard outside your door. Just call me if you need anything.” 

“You know very well that I’m not agreeing to that,” Piper sighed, yanking Levi’s forearm and forcing him to face her as she squeezed her eyes shut in mild annoyance. “It’s inappropriate for my superior to stand guard like some random lackey while I’m lounging off. I should be the one standing guard if worse comes to worst.”

“And I’m not allowing you to stand outside of the room while I’m staying inside.”

“Well guess what, midget, I’m not allowing you to stand outside of the room while I’m staying inside either,” she countered, pinching the bridge of her nose. “Sure I bitch about titles and the chain of command, but what subordinate in their right mind would let their superior take watch while they’re resting? It’s the other way around, buddy. Five months ago, you wouldn’t have had any qualms about me standing guard whatsoever. Hell, you definitely wouldn’t have hesitated to kick me out of the room.”

“Fuck’s sake, Piper. That was five months ago. Things are different now.”

“I don’t care what you say, midget.” Piper grabbed the key from his hand and jogged towards their respective door. “You are not staying outside,” she continued, turning her back on him to block her shaky hand as she jammed the key inside the keyhole and twisted, making the door lock produce a satisfying click. “And I stand by that.” She shoved the key back inside his pocket and pushed the door open, glaring as she surveyed the room and adjusted her eyes to the dimness of the area.

True enough, there was only one bed, smack dab in the center of the room. 

At least it’s a double bed. Piper bit the inside of her cheek and irritably kicked her heels off, watching as the pair thudded against what seemed to be the side of the provided closet before making her way over to the window and drawing back its curtains, allowing the moonlight to shine through and provide faint illumination. Levi on the other hand stood by the table and chair situated near the door and eyed the bed with apprehension as she made her way back to him. 

“There’s a chair over here, and a table,” naturally, he inspected the surface of the table by swiping his index finger across its surface and rubbing his finger against the pad of his thumb, feeling for any particles or dust. “If it’ll shut you up and end this argument, then I’ll stay here for the time being.” Satisfied with the cleanliness of the table’s surface, he dropped his hand and reluctantly leaned on the doorframe, waiting for her reply. “Either way I wouldn’t be able to sleep in this place, and I’m not that tired, to begin with.”

He’s lying.

She’d noticed it since the very beginning- the way he’d go out of his way to compromise for her, and never permitting the other way around. But why?

Like her, he was also exhausted. She could see it in the way he moved, and how he had to lean against something for support as if he were trying his hardest to stay awake. The heaviness in his voice persisted, and she could hear the strain in his words. The circles under his eyes were also darker than the usual, and he seemed paler. He was trying to downplay his exhaustion, that much she could tell. 

“You’re a terrible liar,” Piper positioned herself in front of Levi and grabbed the edge of the chair, preventing him from taking it. “Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You look like shit.”

“You’re one to talk-”

“Take the bed, I’ll take the chair,” she stressed, tightening her grip around the chair’s rest as she studied his face. “You’re exhausted, don’t fucking deny it. And you’ve done way too much for me for the entire evening already. Let me return the favor, short stack.”

Levi drew a sharp breath and shut his eyes as he took her hand and lifted it from the chair. “Don’t worry about it, Brunswick,” the words came out of his mouth as a mere whisper, much like a plea, and his dark eyes displayed so much warmth and gentleness as he guided her to the edge of the bed. “Get some rest, please.”

“Why are you so adamant in making me take the bed, anyways?” Piper sat on the bed, agitated, and gazed at her trembling hands as she tugged at her sleeves. Why the fuck are my hands shaking? “I’m totally fine with sleeping on the chair,” she continued, pointing back at the chair as she looked him in the eye. “You need the bed more than I do.”

“Don’t give me that excuse,” he replied, sitting down beside her and shaking his head in resignation. “You’ve been miserable the entire day, and you were on the verge of passing out in the reception hall. I’m not letting you compromise for the sake of courtesy or respecting the chain of command. The mission’s over- this is rest we’re talking about.”

Piper lifted her eyes and glanced at the bed, an outlandish idea crossing her mind as she counted the pillows and measured its overall space. Don’t. Piper, I swear to the heavens above, don’t. “It’s a double bed,” she blurted, standing up from her place and hurriedly making her way over to the opposite end before grabbing one of the pillows, deliberating and second-guessing her thoughts at that moment. Her face was burning, and the tips of her ears felt like they'd been set on fire. This is a bad idea. I shouldn’t bring this up. “We can share the bed-”

What?

You fucking idiot, this is unacceptable!

“Just hear me out for a second!” The room was spinning, and her heart was pounding. The gnawing sensation returned, and she felt nauseous like she was plunging from the edge of a really steep cliff. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. “It’s a double bed,” she muttered, lowering her head, red-faced. “There’s enough room for two people. We can share the bed.”

Perplexed, Levi took a step back and rubbed the back of his neck before staring down at the floorboards, wide-eyed. His brows were knitted together, and his cheeks were growing redder, to the point where it was painfully prominent and downright hilarious. Piper would have been laughing at him and mocking his appearance, had it been a different situation altogether.

Except she too was as red as an apple.

“Share the bed?” he repeated slowly, glancing at her like he had seen a ghost materialize right before his eyes. “Are you sure?”

Piper gritted her teeth as she lifted the pillow and puffed it out, flustered. Her face was burning, and he was still staring at her, and her throat was running dry. She felt like passing out at any given moment. “Look, we- we can use these fucking pillows as makeshift blo- barricades between ourselves,” she sputtered, digging her nails down on her palm as she hurled the pillow at him, which he caught by surprise. “Just get on the bed!” 

“Piper-”

“Just- shit,” she cursed, shamefully placing one hand on her hip and the other on her forehead. “I don’t mind at all, midget. This bed’s too big for just one person. There’s absolutely no need for us to argue over who should take the bed and whatnot.”

Sighing, she reached for the other pillow and planted it on the center of the mattress, dividing the space. “Do you mind sleeping without a pillow?” it was a genuine question from her end, and she felt an odd sense of guilt as she began to peel the blanket from her corner while he moved to the foot of the bed. “It’s fine,” Levi replied, setting down his pillow and completing the border that separated them, yet at the same time not. “I don’t mind.”

“And have your stupid jacket back,” Piper mumbled, taking off the blazer and handing it back to him before sliding underneath the weighted covers and fixating her eyes on the dark ceiling. “There’s a thick-ass blanket over here, I don’t need it anymore.”

There was shuffling and movement from Levi’s end; she felt the left side of the mattress sink down, signaling that he had finally gotten on the bed as well, and that the only things separating them from each other were two flimsy pillows that couldn’t even manage to fully divide the space. The room fell silent and deathly still, and for a while, there was no sign of further movement between the two of them, even though they were both gazing at the ceiling, wide-awake.

The silence was deafening, and her thoughts were surging- she couldn’t bear it any longer. 

“Why are we here?” Ah yes, here comes the nightly existential crisis.

“Didn’t your parents give you the talk, imp?” his voice was thick and laden with an indecipherable emotion. It penetrated the silence like a dagger, but it was soothing; it made her heart skip.

“No, goddammit. Why are we here? What led up to this?” Piper stressed, tearing her eyes from the ceiling and mustering the strength to look at him. “Never in my entire life would I have pictured spending an entire evening with you, let alone sharing a fucking bed at the end of the day.”

The moonlight that leaked from the window shone directly on his face, and she had noticed for the first time the specks of blue that rested in his steel-colored eyes.

Suddenly they’re not as grey as I’d thought they’d be.

Those harsh, steely orbs that were so devoid of life and splendor somehow held the stars in the sky and perfectly captured the moonlight in their glassy surfaces. Unmistakably blue, like the surface of a vast lake in the dead of night, and they were alive. So alive...

“I can leave if you want-”

“Stay,” That’s an order, she’d wanted to tease as a way of poking fun of his authoritative nature, and breaking tension in the air, only to find herself pleading for his company. “Please.”

“Alright.”

Piper straightened her back and craned her neck to the left to get a better look at him. “I don’t think I’ve had the chance to thank you for everything you’ve done today,” she spoke softly as she brushed her finger against the edge of the pillow and drew idle circles. “I probably wouldn’t have made it out of that party alive if you weren’t here with me.”

The corner of Levi’s mouth lifted faintly, and he gave her a gentle nod. “You should get some rest already,” he responded, shifting his gaze back to the ceiling. She could feel the heat coming from his hand from the edge of the pillow- so close, yet so far- they were mere inches away from hers. She wanted to slip her hand through and feel its enveloping comfort once more. 

Her head was throbbing, and her eyelids felt heavy, but her mind was very much awake. Seconds passed- maybe minutes, and Piper felt the sudden urge to ask the captain one last question before succumbing to slumber.

“Hey, Levi-” she didn’t bother finishing her sentence. His face was relaxed and undisturbed; the lightest snore escaped his slightly parted lips, and his breathing was even, the rise and fall of his chest following a slow, imaginary rhythm as he lay beside her, motionless. 

He’s already asleep.

“Sweet dreams, midget.”

Notes:

(Sleeping Levi is the best Levi, 100%. Seriously, Isayama needs to let the man have some beauty rest every now and then)

It's really funny because Piper's the type of person to absolutely HATE cliches, but her life at this point is just one big cliche. Anyways, this chapter was wild lmao, and I had so much fun writing it.

Also, sorry that this chap got delayed by a few days! Currently undergoing finals in uni, and I'm literally drowning in so much plates and presentations. The succeeding chapter might get delayed as well, but I promise to make it up to you guys over the holidays because I've got almost an entire month off before starting the next term. Also, while I'm at it, I just wanted to thank you guys because I just realized that this fic suddenly gained a boatload of reads and kudoses in the past few weeks. We're also almost reaching a thousand reads, like what the fuck, I never pictured this fic going THAT far. Much love to all of you guys, and hello to the new readers as well!!

Chapter's partly inspired by these two songs:
Golden- Harry Styles
I Wanna Get Lost With You (Acoustic)- Stereophonics
As always, see you guys in the next!

Chapter 12: The Leisman Company (???, Part 1)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Perched at the topmost floor of an old watchtower that granted her an unobstructed view of the vast plains with her knees pulled to her chest as she studied the worn photograph in her hand, Piper was tasked to be on the lookout for titan activity within the perimeter as the Scouts made camp, except there’s currently nothing in particular to look out for, save for the usual abundant grass fields, and everything’s going according to plan, rendering me useless at the moment. 

Time- or life, if you favor an embittered, cynical approach to things- is fleeting. This, everyone’s well aware of. Certain intellectuals commonly found in the inner Walls, or faux, self-proclaimed philosophers with a knack for over-examining the ins and outs, the what-ifs and whatnots of their measly, sheltered lives would even bring to your attention that time was especially fleeting when an individual was undergoing the brighter, more pleasant endeavors of their lives. 

Piper wasn’t necessarily convinced that she nor Julia were living out the best moments of their lives considering that, in a sense, they’d both been conscripted into the Survey Corps against their own will, but one thing was for certain: time was indeed moving too fast for her liking, good experiences or not, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Seems like only five minutes ago when Levi was beating the living shit out of me for taking an unexcused lunch break. Still find it hard to believe that it’s been six months since then.

You’ve come a long way, Piper. Or have you?

Before she knew it, the day of their first expedition was finally upon them. Everything they’d trained for during those six months boiled down to this very fateful day; surviving the perilous mission meant that they’d be acknowledged as full-fledged scouts, and absolute pardon would be granted to them. Nile and his pesky buffoons are finally gonna get off our asses for good. I’ve just about had it with that stickhead monitoring our progress from afar. Still, the probability of dying mid-battle was staggeringly high compared to making it out in one piece. Everything was a gamble for her at this point. 

The nature of their current expedition was unlike that of previous exterior scouting missions. Given the recent breach in Shiganshina, all survey missions had been put on hold as the Scouts diverted their efforts towards evacuation assistance and retrieval operations. There were reports of skeleton villages in the outskirts of Wall Maria that had yet to be evacuated, and former military outposts which were now too deep into titan territory contained supplies and schematics far too valuable to abandon; such was the premise of their present affairs. 

But, surprising as it seemed, they were off to a decent start. They departed Trost earlier than anticipated, and casualties were at a minimum. Perhaps they had the weather to thank as the clear skies allowed them to easily spot the smoke signals or any approaching titan.

Let’s just hope this keeps up ‘til the end of the day.

A gust of wind blew, threatening to carry along with it the image that was wedged between her fingers. It flapped harshly, wobbling and thrashing as the wind persisted. It’s like the wind’s taunting me, Piper mused, securing her hold on the picture while brushing away the loose strands of hair that fell on her face, mildly annoyed at the resulting unkempt state of her hair. “Hold on tight to that precious little thing, or I’ll blow it away. You’ll see.”

No need to tell me twice, Mother Nature. No need to tell me twice.

The thought of double-checking the pockets of her jacket the night before had slipped her mind entirely, and realization struck her a little too late, for they were already several miles past the gates of Trost when she discovered that she still had the image nestled inside. I need to find a safer place to put this thing in once we get back, she reminded herself as she idly traced Harry’s penmanship at the bottom of the picture. Safe from Levi’s prying little hands, and safe from grisly circumstances like this.

Still, there wasn’t much she could do now that it was stuck with her for the rest of the day. No use crying over spilled milk; suck it up and improvise. 

At least Harry and Aidan are with me in spirit.

“Hey,” Levi’s characteristic ‘Tch’ and stoical tone shattered the ambient silence that permeated the top of the tower, putting an end to Piper’s solitude. A gentle kick to her shin shook her from her rumination and effectively tore her attention away from the photograph and towards him. She lifted her head and briefly met his gaze before shielding her eyes from the sun that shone directly above his figure. “You’re supposed to be watching our vicinity, not that stupid picture of yours.”

Speak of the devil. It was getting rather boring on top of this goddamn tower.

“Ever heard of multitasking?” Piper quipped, refusing the hand he’d extended for her as she stood up from her position and pulled her green cloak aside to retrieve the spyglass he’d given to her earlier that day before returning the delicate photograph in its place in her pocket. She brought the spyglass to her eyes and scanned their surroundings, watching intently for unusual movement. “At ease, Captain,” she indolently droned once she was certain that nothing was moving about, casually passing the device to him before resting her elbows on the ledge and looking straight ahead, admiring the gold-rimmed clouds that lolled across the sky. “There’s nothing to be worried about for the moment.”

Levi gave no verbal response or acknowledgement towards her report which she found peculiar. She’d expected a sharp-tongued remark or an air of displeasure from him that would naturally launch them into their usual back-and-forth tirade, yet it never came. He simply lingered by her side and joined her in resting his arms and staring past the ledge, off into the distance.

She could tell that something had been bothering him as she glanced at him from the corner of her eye. His lips were pressed into a thin line, and his shoulders were stiff, weighted with tension as he peered at the soldiers below who scurried around like busy, hardworking ants.

Momentarily tearing his eyes away from the view, Levi inevitably caught Piper staring at him, and his expression softened as his eyes met hers. Finding herself unable to look away, she held his gaze, studying the pleasant yet complex emotion that swam in those deep pools of grey which intensified like a gaping void as the seconds drew on.

I appreciate the company- your company, she wanted to tell him, but the words never came and remained suppressed in the back of her head; an unfulfilled expression of her own affection that was never going to see the light of day. They stood like that for a little while longer, relaxing and breathing in the late autumn winds, secretly appreciative of each other’s presence, and unwilling to disrupt the bubble of comfort that started to surround them. Eventually, Piper collected her thoughts and brushed the distracting sentiment away, feeling the scratchy surface of the stone with her fingers as she prepared herself to address him and braced for whatever ominous announcement he had in mind. 

“Why are you here?” she demanded, mentally flinching at her unintentionally terse delivery as she reverted her attention to the scenery.

Closing his eyes and inhaling deeply, Levi pushed himself away from the ledge and faced her, the rigidness and strain in his face returning. “Hanji’s team’s back from scouting past the woods,” he said in a straightforward manner as he turned and headed for the mouth of the stairwell, “Erwin wants us in his tent immediately.”

"Something happen out there?"

"Who knows. But it doesn't look good."

Sighing, Piper withdrew from her spot and silently followed him down the winding steps of the outpost. So much for alone time, she thought as she eyed the back of his head, watching as the breeze idly played with his crow-colored locks. Her penchant for retreating to the thoughts that dwelled at the back of her mind when her immediate surroundings proved too uneventful to pay close attention to was going to have to wait some other time.

Whatever was awaiting them at Erwin’s tent was probably not the good news or the additional stroke of luck she’d been hoping for.

 


 

More often than not, creaking floorboards in the dead of night were a telltale sign of trouble, especially if the culprit responsible for the scratching noise sounded as if they were deliberating each step to navigate the aged flooring in the darkness in hopes of finding the sturdiest plank that would produce the least amount of sound possible. Eight long years of skittering through shifty alleyways in the Underground taught Piper that. 

The eerie creaking originating directly outside of their flimsy door stirred her from her shallow sleep, prompting her to lift her head from the table and reach for the balisong lying beside her. Feeling for the grooves on its handle, she clicked her tongue and spun it open, cautious and attentive for any indication of further movement.

“Look who’s finally awake,” a voice- Aidan’s- whispered from across the room, the metallic stench of gunpowder wafting in the air as the distinguishable sound of a rifle being reloaded accompanied the scent. “Someone’s at the door,” he added, releasing the bolt handle and aiming the barrel of his gun towards the entrance in one swift motion that demonstrated his irrefutable proficiency at the daunting weapon. Its muzzle glistened as it reflected the scant slivers of dusty light that leaked from the slats of the dilapidated door and into the still room. “We’ve got company.”

“I’m well aware.” Inching carefully towards the door frame, Piper repeatedly twirled the balisong around her thumb and tested its freshly-greased rivets as she hoped to catch a glimpse of their infiltrator. She could hardly make out anything through the crevice however, save for a khaki-clad leg that was fidgeting impatiently, and a muddy, filth-stained canvas rucksack drooping on the ground beside it. 

“Who is it?”

“Couldn’t tell.”

“You think it’s one of Farlan’s guys?”

“Don’t think so,” she shook her head and gestured for Aidan to position himself on the other side of the doorframe, making sure to guide him through the rickety planks to avoid prematurely alerting their unwelcome guest. “Harry’s rubbing elbows with Farlan, and the two exchange jobs for each other every so often. It wouldn’t make sense for Church to send a guy to raid a close associate, and he’s not the type to turn on someone for the sake of it.”

“You sure you didn’t get tailed in your last score?”

“Made sure to slit all of their throats. If I did get tailed, then that prick outside’s a reanimated corpse and should be spewing blood all over.”

“Think it’s one of the MPs then?”

“Listen- I don’t give a shit who’s at the door,” Piper curtly hissed as she raised the knife and angled its blade towards the crevice, attempting to capture the figure’s reflection on its surface and reveal their identity, but to no avail. “Could be the king for all I care.” Seeing that Aidan was in place, she shifted her footing and crouched, allowing him to place the barrel of his rifle on her shoulders. “All that matters is that this fucker shouldn’t be on our doorstep at this time of the night.”

Shuffling sounded from the opposite end, signaling that the stranger was finally on the move. The doorknob jiggled roughly as they tried to unlock it, and a barely audible ‘Dammit!’ followed suit when their attempt turned out to be futile. Piper held back a scoff and rolled her eyes as she preemptively reached for the knob with her free hand, standing by and glancing back at Aidan who held his gun still.

“On my mark,” she mumbled, discreetly popping the lock open. “One…”

The coolness of the barrel that was resting on her shoulder trickled down the nape of her neck, giving way for goosebumps to emerge as she restrained a shudder and focused on the small slit in the door.

“Two…”

The rotting boards outside creaked loudly once more, and the doorknob jerked in an urgent, erratic rhythm under her hold. Her eyes flashed to it, and she steadied both of her feet, preparing to pounce.

“Three!”

The age-worn door violently swung open and caught the perpetrator in the face, stunning him before shattering into a million haphazard splinters under the tremendous force of Piper’s body as she tackled the figure and sent them crashing to the ground. Taking advantage of his disorientation, she straddled his legs and pinned his arms before holding the knife to his throat as Aidan stormed through the mess and aimed, itching to pull the trigger. With the dust settling down and her eyes adjusting to the uneven lighting outside of their shack, Piper glared at the man underneath her, breathing heavily as she recognized his messy blond hair and mortified blue eyes almost immediately to the point where it was downright embarrassing.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

“Harry?!”

“What the fuck, Piper!” Harry hissed, shoving away her knife-bearing hand before wincing and rubbing the spot it grazed. Piper awkwardly, yet unapologetically released him, eyebrow raised as Aidan lowered his gun. “And what the hell, Aidan!” he scowled, slapping the barrel of the rifle away from his face. “What the hell’s wrong with you two?”

“Ever heard of knocking?” Piper deadpanned, tucking the knife away and crossing her arms, miffed. “It’s free.”

“Ever heard of asking who’s at the door first?” Harry retorted, disapprovingly gathering the discarded rucksack and patting off the splinters that got caught on its surface. “It’s free.”

“Oh please, Leisman, it’s your fault for acting all suspicious like some inexperienced thief,” Aidan argued, glaring as he set aside the rifle. “Should’ve just knocked and said it was you instead of trying to shake the door open like a fucking lunatic.”

“You knew I was out!”

“But we had no idea of telling if it was truly your sorry ass that was trying to break that lousy door open. Use that big brain of yours, Harry.”

“I lost my keys!”

“Not my fault you’re a goddamn klutz,” Piper butted in and threw them an impassive, yet sharp look as she walked back inside. “Just admit your mistake, and bring your ass inside before I lose it and drive my knife up your neck for good.”

“...You ruined the door.” Harry pouted, slinging the rucksack over his shoulder and fighting back the urge to wince as he wobbled inside with Aidan following shortly behind him.

“Again, not my fault,” she sighed and ignited one of the stubby candles on the desk which provided extra illumination in the room, albeit scarce. “Besides, that ‘door’ was hanging by a thread.”

“That ‘door’ was the only thing separating us from the rivaling gangs who are after our loot.”

“Not my fault.” Piper crossly insisted with a scowl, ending the argument as she made her way towards the shabby staircase before pausing when the topmost flight creaked and a warm ring of light grazed its edges, making the surrounding silhouettes dance feverishly. 

“What’s with all the commotion?” Awakened by the noise, Julia let out a languid yawn and groggily descended, carrying with her their sole lamp whose amber glow swallowed the living room, allowing for everyone to see the severity of the aftermath of their encounter. Puzzled by the splinters that were strewn all over the floor and their lack of a door, she placed the lamp on the table and strolled towards Piper, greeting her with a brief nod before inquisitively kicking a chunk of the wrecked door away.

“Harry’s back from his business venture.” Aidan declared unenthusiastically as he ignored Harry and looked instead towards the direction of the two women.

“These two dimwits jumped me and broke the door-”

“Because he decided to be a fucking idiot and skulk around instead of properly knocking and introducing himself!”

“These asshats woke me up and dragged me into their mess.”

“I don’t think you could ever really call that rotting piece of wood a door considering its state,” Julia explained, crouching down and continuing to inspect the unfortunate pieces of wood that lay scattered. “Also, sorry Harry, but they’ve got a point.”

“So you’re ganging up on me now?” he sighed while throwing his hands in the air in an exaggerated fashion that made the redhead shake her head in resignation, while Piper sneered and rubbed her temples. “After all the lengths I went through to obtain these goods for you guys? Gee, thank you so much for your overflowing gratitude. I appreciate it.”

“Quit whining like a child and making a big deal out of this, Leisman,” Piper grumbled, elbowing him on the sides. “Are you telling us what the hell's in that bag of yours, or will I have to do it myself and pry it out of your hands?”

The childish pout Harry wore on his face morphed into a cheeky grin as his eyes shimmered with excitement. Just like that, all traces of disappointment regarding the wrecked door and the ‘warm welcome’ he’d just endured dissipated as he lifted the sack and plopped it on the table, animatedly stuffing his entire arm inside and fishing around jaggedly for whatever it was that he was looking for. A literal fucking manchild. At this point, I’m certain Harry’s got the brain of a nine-year-old.

Ah fuck, he’s got that look on his face again.

“You’re all going to love this,” he said as he retracted his arm from the bag, revealing a peculiar-looking contraption. “Don’t tell anyone about it,” he continued, inserting a cylindrical cartridge into the main body before snapping it shut and bringing a slim finger to his lips as they approached to get a closer look. “My source says it’s a device from a district beyond the Walls. It’s a one-of-a-kind artifact, and it’ll be our little secret.”

“Well? What is it?” Piper wondered, setting aside her irritation for the moment while diverting her attention towards the scope in its center and prodding it with her finger, fascinated. “Some kind of technologically advanced telescope that we could sell to the military?”

“Not exactly,” he took a seat before collecting the device and setting it on his lap as he continued to tinker with its other components. “Do me a favor- all three of you. Go grab your weapons and stand by that corner over there- also make sure you don’t look like you just got out of bed or nearly murdered me on the spot. There’s no redoing this.”

“Answer my question first, Harry.”

“It’ll be easier to show you, Piper. Trust me.”

“Oh, so we’re doing target practice?” she smugly teased as she exchanged glances with Julia who was testing the string of her bow and nocking an arrow on it, and Aidan who was polishing (again) the barrel of his gun. “You heard the man, first one to shoot that thing gets-”

“No! No shooting! Fuck, Piper are you nuts?” Harry yelled, shielding the device with his body when Julia rode along and teasingly aimed the arrow towards him. “No shooting! No shooting!” he insisted desperately, paranoid. “God, we’re going to take a picture!” 

“What, you mean like you’re gonna draw a portrait of the three of us?” Aidan inquired, scoffing sarcastically as he slung his arm over Julia’s shoulder. “Never took you for the artistic type. What about you, Hartmann?”

“Nope, never struck me as the artistic sort either,” she hummed mischievously and tapped Piper on the shoulder to seek out her opinion. “What about you Pipes?”

“That lanky idiot over there who thought it was a good idea to sneak up on the door unannounced, and wouldn’t even tell us what the fuck that thing is or why we’re standing here like a bunch of idiots with nothing better to do?” Piper taunted, shrugging and feigning ignorance as Harry clenched his teeth and tensed up, keeping his back turned from them. “Not at all.”

“Keep laughing all you want you miserable shitheads,” he mumbled irritably to himself, fed up. “God, you’re all a bunch of impatient kids.”

Idiot, we are kids.

Kids with guns, bows and arrows, and knives.

Kids who purvey illicit merchandise, smuggle contraband, and murder rich pricks just to scrape by. 

Kids with fucked up pasts, deceased parents, and no proper place to call home.

And kids with too much blood on their hands.

But nonetheless, still kids.

Just a bunch of miserable kids.

“Alright kids, looks like everything’s in place.” Mimicking that same gesture old people would do when they’re itching to get up from their seats after spending a considerable amount of time sitting down, Harry slapped both of his legs, stood up, then patted the device before making his way over to the three who were growing restless.

“Yes, I know you’re all dying to know what that thing is. It’s called a camera,” he drawled, raising his hands and motioning for them to settle down. “Who named it that, and why is it called that? I don’t know. My contact simply said that it’s called a camera and that it needs what you call a film cartridge to work.”

“What does it do?” Piper questioned, brows knitted in puzzlement as she casually toyed with the feathers on Julia’s arrows while observing the device from afar. 

“Alright, let’s look at it this way: you know how nobles and officials up there rely on painters or skilled illustrators to capture an image or scenery? They commission you to draw a bunch of things, and the more detailed or closer to reality the drawing is, the better the pay.”

“Yeah, those narcissistic fools go crazy over portraits of themselves.”

“Well, this is the automatic way of creating a portrait.”

I’m sorry, but what now?

“What do you mean?” the three of them unintentionally demanded in unison, making Harry snort and double over in laughter. Aidan lowered his head when his cheeks began to flush, and Julia snickered while clapping Piper on the back. Idiots. Literal idiots.

“Talk about impeccable timing,” Harry smiled, recovering from his fit and wiping tears from the corners of his eyes. “Anyways, there’s a great deal of science and technical what-have-yous behind it, but the gist of it all’s that this scope- or lens right here’s capable of capturing light,” he lifted the device from the table and gently shook it, causing whatever’s inside to rattle. “There’s this whole complex mechanism that basically bends the light that comes in from the lens so that it hits the film that’s loaded inside, some form of chemical reaction or process occurs- I don’t know, I’m not a scientist- and it ‘burns’ the image onto the film, or so they say.”

What the fuck is he talking about?

English, Harry. English.

“I’m not… I don’t- what?”

“It’s weird,” he chuckled, understandingly placing his hand on Piper’s shoulder as she tried to comprehend his explanation. “I don’t quite understand it myself either, but from what I’ve gathered, it pretty much captures where the light does and doesn’t hit, and that’s how it manages to replicate the scenario, down to the smallest details and all.”

“You’re spouting nonsense. I think you hit your head a little too hard earlier.”

“I told you it’d be easier to just show you guys,” he sighed, strolling back to the table where he’d left the camera before hovering a finger over one of its buttons, standing by. “Okay, for real this time, everyone keep still. After pressing this button, I’ve got approximately five seconds to head there before this thing gives off a whir and takes that ‘automatic portrait’ of us.”

“Alright then,” Piper relented and tried to settle on a position suitable for a portrait, unsure of what to expect; the other two struggled to posture themselves as well, shoulders stiff and squared as they unsurely raised their weapons. “Whenever you’re ready.”

“Just act natural, you guys.”

“What do you mean ‘act natural’?” 

“Oh, heavens- just smile and loosen up!” Pressing the button, Harry scampered from the desk and took his place beside Piper, frantically pointing and motioning for them to smile as the camera began to let off a subtle, ticking whir. Julia easily followed and eased her stance, projecting a warm, natural grin as she brought Piper closer. Aidan refused to smile, but similarly closed the awkward gap between him and Julia, opting to straighten his back and further brandish his rifle instead in an effort to project an imposing figure (even though he was already imposing enough as it was).  

“Come on, Pipes,” Julia coaxed through her teeth, maintaining that effortless, sunny disposition so customary of her. She’d always been envious of how easily the motion came to her auburn-haired friend, regardless of their circumstances. “Just smile.”

Yeah, I don’t know about that.

But then again…

Alright, fuck it. Just this once.

Relaxing her shoulders, Piper caved in and faintly curved the corner of her mouth upwards, unaccustomed to the expression and uncertain that she was doing it correctly. She never was the smiley sort to begin with, and as far as she could recall, it had been years since she’d last demonstrated a proper smile. Still, seeing Harry and Julia’s smiles grow wider at her decision to join them despite her hesitance made it all worthwhile.

Just for these stupid idiots, even though I probably look like a deranged murderer who’s holding back tears or the urge to shit. 

“And… snap!” As if on cue, the ticking whir of the device ceased abruptly at Harry’s signal, and a louder, more distinctive click! succeeded it before it fell silent completely. They all held their breaths in anticipation, staring in profound silence as a small piece of paper steadily crawled out of the mechanism’s mouth. 

“What’s it doing now?” Piper watched as Harry removed himself from their group and returned to the desk, plucking the paper and shaking it with great enthusiasm. A brownish hue began to emerge from its glossy surface, spreading like ink and intensifying in color with every shake as though it had a mind and consciousness of its own. Figures began to become more distinct, and little by little, their oh-so-expressive faces appeared. Seeing the process unfold before her eyes was akin to witnessing magic- or witchcraft even- if such things ever truly existed.

Harry stopped shaking the paper and held out the picture in front of him as he quietly studied each detail and corner in awe, captivated and satisfied by the outcome. A moment passed before he broke from his position and disappeared down the back, then re-emerged with the picture, a quill, and an inkpot in hand. He gave the image another once-over as he laid it flat on the desk and dipped the quill on the inkpot whilst jerking his head at Piper, urging for her to come closer and observe.

“What’s this supposed to be, the official joint business venture portrait?” Piper questioned, caving in to his wordless plea and nearing the table to get a better glimpse at the peculiar image and the message he was scribbling at its bottom- whatever the hell it was; she just wanted to go back to sleep. Aidan and Julia halted their chattering and looked past their shoulders as well, intrigued. “And what the hell are you writing?” she grumpily pressed, shifting her weight to one foot and folding her arms stiffly, “Don’t tell me you made us do all that unnecessary posing just to have some fancy piece of paper to write on.”

Harry set the quill down and straightened himself up, the corners of his eyes creasing as he faced her, his jovial mood instantly switching to a mellowed-out and somber one. “We’re family, Piper,” he smiled sweetly, “It’s a portrait to preserve the moment; something we could all fondly look back on in the future, don’t you think?”

“Are we now?” Piper’s tone was doubtful and painstakingly cold despite the sincerity of his actions. She couldn’t avoid being so guarded, it was a defense mechanism she’d managed to develop over the years given the nature of their work, and the circumstances of their environment. Life in the Underground was all about taking advantage of the right people and disposing of them once they were rendered useless, or if a better opportunity presented itself along the way. It was a ruthless, merciless way of living, one that stripped you of all your emotions and morality, but it was the only way of surviving. Kill or be killed. Step on others, or let them step on you. Use or be used.

So it came as a surprise to her that Harry would consider their ragtag group as something beyond the confinements of business. The word 'family' held a great deal of weight- not just to her, but to Aidan and Julia as well. One collective tragedy they all unfortunately bonded over was their lack of a proper family. It would’ve been easier to digest if he’d simply thrown in the word ‘friends’. However, she couldn’t ignore the gleeful twinkle in Harry’s eyes as he stared at the image and the individual faces of his companions. It was in fact a genuine declaration, and the notion struck her tremendously in a bittersweet way.

“Of course we are.” Grabbing Piper with one arm and Aidan and Julia with the other, Harry drew the three of them together and pulled them close for an embrace, unwilling to let go. Julia giggled as she found herself getting sandwiched in-between Aidan and Piper, and Aidan scowled and immaturely rolled his eyes at the tender display of affection. Piper on the other hand gasped and quietly flinched, uncomfortable with the lack of personal space yet discreetly moved by Harry’s actions. “We’re one stupid family, and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep this stupid family of ours afloat.”

“Get out of here with your cheesy sentiments Harry, and let go of us,” Aidan complained, his face along with the tips of his ears a rosy crimson as he attempted to squirm himself out of Harry’s tight embrace, making Julia giggle even more. “Don’t you have better things to do?”

“Come on and be a sport, Aidan, let me hug all of you for a little while longer, just this once?”

“You’re out of your fucking mind, Leisman.”

“Same goes to you, Shevchenko. You nearly blew my head off.”

Piper’s aloof demeanor and puckered-up expression said otherwise as he continued embracing them, but the significance of the picture they had taken and Harry declaring his feelings for them delighted her in such a way that made her eyes sting, and her heart swelled as she observed the image along with the fresh words inked on it, solidifying their bond. 

We’re family. 

Notes:

Something a little different for now.

Sorry for dipping on such short notice! I posted an announcement on tumblr at the start of the year explaining why I had to step back and undergo a short hiatus (is four and a half months considered short?). Had to deal with college plus some personal life issues. Unfortunately real life's a bitch that way. Everything's fine now, so yay. Back to the usual update schedule.

Also holy shit this really blew up while I was gone. Thanks a lot y'all.

Chapter 13: Proving Grounds

Chapter Text

It was just as she’d feared. The stroke of luck and good fortune that presumably graced them had officially run out, and at the worst possible time too. Hardly four hours into the mission, and the entire plan had already gone awry. By now, Piper was positive that Lady Luck had a knack for taunting them and took every chance to hurl unforeseen complications their way no matter how much or how hard they planned ahead of time to avoid off-putting situations like this. Life was a mischievous little piece of shit that way. 

I knew it was too good to be true. 

So there they were, huddled tightly around a makeshift war table in Erwin’s tent, glossing over overlapping terrain reports and maps, and racking their brains out like overworked, underappreciated scholars on the brink of discovering a major scientific breakthrough that was sure to turn the tide of things as Hanji and Moblit- both sorely out of breath and drenched in sweat- debriefed their group and frantically divulged the information their team had gathered from reconnaissance. 

“How bad is it?” Erwin asked, the stress from managing an entire regiment and preventing it from unraveling into an unsightly mess undoubtedly eating at him as evident in the circles under his eyes. Pinching the bridge of his nose, he retracted a plot marker on the map then crossed out the location it previously inhabited with red ink, an indication that they’d lost either a scouting team or their foothold in the area- or worse, both. “What’s the situation out there?” he added, sliding the piece across the table. 

Piper followed the piece with hardly any interest and watched as it skidded towards the pile of discarded wooden figures near the edge of the desk, gazing at it with a perturbed glower as she let their dreary situation sink in and processed the outpouring news while the rest of them droned on. 

“It’s bad sir, really bad,” Moblit replied with a heavy sigh, wiping the glistening sweat on his forehead with his arm before passing down the canteen he’d just finished drinking from to Hanji who snatched it from him and chugged down its remaining contents, parched. “There’s a horde of titans rapidly approaching down the woods past the eastern riverbank, ranging from seven-meter to fifteen-meter classes. Multiple abnormals were spotted as well, and we’ve been cut off from the supply outpost and lost contact with Mike’s team.”

“Has the outpost fallen?”

Hanji set the canteen aside. “As far as we know, the outpost hasn’t been breached, and our materials inside are still intact,” she grimly explained and placed a heavy finger down on a spot on the map; the area she was pointing at was a remote clearing at the heart of the forest. “Regarding Mike’s team, however, we’re not sure of their status. I’m willing to bet that most of them are still alive at least- this is Mike and his team after all. They won't go down without a fight.”

“Don’t underestimate them.” The commander squared his shoulders and stepped back. “I’m sure they’re holding out as we speak, but it would still be best to send reinforcements as soon as possible,” he stated, pacing and deliberating the proper course of action before pausing and clasping his hands behind his back shortly after. “Levi, change of plans. Disregard my previous instructions for you and your team.”

The atmosphere within the tent grew stifling at the mention of Levi’s name, as though everyone collectively drew a sharp breath and sucked out all of the air within regardless of the tent flaps that were drawn wide-open, allowing for a steady draft to flow through and circulate inside. Standing right beside Piper, she saw him stiffen and even caught sight of his eyes narrowing from the corner of her eye as he awaited Erwin’s new orders, the slight click of his tongue being the final nail to the coffin that confirmed her suspicions regarding the severity of their situation. 

Erwin had only intended for them to spring into action if the retrieval teams found themselves shorthanded and required an extra hand, or if the entire mission was on the brink of falling apart, and all subsequent backup plans that were developed to account for any possible shortcomings failed to salvage the operation entirely. Granted that it was their first stint, and taking into consideration that they didn’t undergo the customary approach towards military training, he proposed for Levi to oversee and keep them away from the brunt of the operation unless circumstances absolutely called for them to get involved.

Hell, even a blind, illiterate man could put two and two together and deduce that this was one of the circumstances the commander was referring to back then, hence why none of them were all too pleased about whatever he had in store for their happy-go-lucky group.

“What do you have in mind?” Levi urged, words doused with displeasure and unpleasantry as Erwin packed away the littered documents, rolling them up and securing them in their respective cases. Meanwhile, Piper chewed on the inside of her cheek and remained still, eyes intently sweeping the table and studying each minute detail on the vast map as a means to sate her curiosity while he continued disseminating orders. 

Sit back for now and watch how the veterans handle things to get a better grasp of the regiment’s dynamics during the mission, she recalled him telling her and Julia the night before as they reviewed their assignments. If things go well, the two of you won’t have to do much besides aiding with logistics or taking shifts in the watchtower. I don’t want you springing into action just yet and risk getting in over your heads. 

There goes that scenario, to say the least.

“Replenish your gas and blades, and coordinate accordingly with everyone in this room. You’re going to recover those supplies and provide auxiliary support for Mike’s team, assuming they’re alive. Under no circumstances can we lose those supplies,” Erwin ordered, handing over the canisters to Julia who then arranged them on the labeled crates situated behind him. “Hanji and Moblit will be leading the way to the outpost; keep a close eye on Piper and Julia along the way, and try to keep them away from danger.”

“I’ll see what I can do.”

Erwin laid out another document in haste, knocking over a few plot markers and concealing a part of the map; it was an extensive blueprint of the outpost that perfectly illustrated the layout of its interior.

“Piper, upon arriving at the outpost, you and Hanji will enter through here and locate the supplies,” he circled his finger repeatedly around one of the rooms while peering up and looking at them both to check if they were following. “Going by the data we have from the expedition before Shiganshina, everything should still be in this room. Julia will assist Moblit in loading the supplies onto the horses.”

A portion of the illustrated forest peeking out from underneath the blueprint stood out to Piper. There were several clearings similar to the one alluding to the outpost, although smaller in scale. She’d thought nothing of it at first, believing them to be a natural occurrence in the terrain- hardly substantial or worth bringing up to Erwin’s attention- yet the longer she studied their locations, the more it started to frightfully make sense. A pattern was emerging before her eyes, one that she wouldn’t have noticed if she wasn’t so fixated on the disarrayed contents of the desk rather than the meeting, to begin with. Her pensive frown deepened as she stepped forward to get a better look at the map. 

“So Piper,” Erwin said, awaiting her acknowledgement of the new instruction. “Can you do it?”

Doubt and trepidation churned in her stomach as her eyes glazed over the sparse clearings littered erratically throughout the forest, a disconcerting realization clicking in the back of her head, as though someone had flipped a switch or unveiled the missing piece of the puzzle and set it in place against her own volition.

Settlements. Of course there are settlements. 

Piper balled her fists, nails digging deep into her palms as she refused to entertain the possibility. No, I’m overthinking. The residents might have been evacuated shortly after the breach. The other villages we’ve stumbled into along the way have already been abandoned. 

But then again, what if?

“Piper? Are you listening?” the commander called once more, mild annoyance festering in his query as she remained silent.

A sense of foreboding slithered up her limbs, paralyzing them, and a pulsating strain accumulated at the nape of her neck. A couple of seconds passed before she managed to will herself to give a curt, half-hearted nod, “Relax, I was listening.” 

Erwin shook his head and restrained his impatience, deciding not to drill further. “Very well. Now, are there any questions before we begin?”

“What about civilians?” she inquired, tearing her eyes away from the map for once to meet Erwin’s eyes and everyone else’s since she’d set foot in the stuffy tent thirty minutes ago. “Your plan covers the outpost, but what should we do if we encounter civilians?”

Hanji exchanged reluctant glances with Moblit, and Levi flashed her a dark, discouraged look as if mentally conveying for her to shut up and comply, no questions asked. They already knew what Erwin’s answer was going to be- truth be told, she knew as well, but denial pushed her to implore even if the picture had been painted long ago.

“Leave them. Give utmost importance to the mission, and prioritize the outpost at all costs. I don’t want any unnecessary heroics. Is that clear?”

The commander’s words will always be absolute. No matter how objectionable or unforgiving the order sounded in their ears, it was still a command that he had issued, and it was their duty as soldiers to see it through the end, regardless of the outcome. They had no room to spare for personal ideals and moral principles, not at a crucial time like this. Look at you concerning yourself about what’s morally right or wrong when your own hands were drowning in other people’s blood not too long ago.

Talk about self-righteousness.

“Clear.” Piper muttered cynically, steeling herself as they filed out of the tent one by one and back into the field where volatile uncertainty awaited them like a ticking time bomb. 

Sacrifices have to be made to ensure other people’s survival.

Those supplies better be worth it.

 


 

The thunderous clobber of hooves against the undergrowth accompanied them as they stormed through the woods. They rode in complete silence, occupied by their tumultuous thoughts as they tried to keep their apprehensions at bay. Tensions were too high, driving everyone on edge and subconsciously eating at their composure as they kept their eyes trained to their immediate surroundings, anticipating a titan to jump them at any given moment. It was unquestionably maddening.

Piper had been staring at her palms for the most part, with one hand grasping and steering the reins of her horse and the other planted firmly against her pistol loaded with acoustic shells, ready to pull the trigger should the need arise. Every so often she’d lift her head to scan the vicinity, testing herself to see if she was still attentive to everything that was happening around them. As the designated spotter of the group, it was crucial for her to keep her eyes peeled for any sign of movement separate from theirs. The slightest delay or hesitance in reaction could spell disaster- there was no room for error.

Presence of mind, don’t let yourself get distracted, she reminded herself. Focus and pay attention to your surroundings.

The forest’s ambience would have been peaceful and ideal had it not been for the looming threat of a horde of titans overwhelming them and derailing the operation. These woods resemble the woods back home, Piper reminisced as she craned her neck upwards and sighed deeply, watching the white stream of mist that accompanied her breath dissolve into the air just as quickly as it had appeared. Cold as hell, but still no sign of snow.

Streams of sunlight percolated down from the overhead branches, illuminating the autumn foliage in patches of marigold and honey which flickered in intensity as the trees swayed. The wind was steady and serene, carrying with it the rich scent of pine as it blew on their faces and fluttered their juniper capes which danced and billowed freely with the breeze.

“Imp, eyes on the road,” Levi pointed, face contorted into the typical discontented scowl as he pulled up next to her and gave her reins two short, successive tugs, a signal for her to watch out. “This isn’t a sightseeing trip. Save your gawking for later.”

“It’s my job to pay attention to our surroundings, remember?” Piper responded, steering her horse closer to him to avoid the fallen log that partially obstructed their path, at the same time raising the pistol and torpidly wagging it back and forth, finger still planted on the trigger. “Anyways, how much farther?” she called out to Hanji afterwards, lowering the gun. 

“Any minute now, I think!” the brunette eagerly yelled back, motioning for Moblit to momentarily take the reins of her horse as she carelessly whipped around to face them. You think? Seriously? “Once we pass the stream, it should be a five to ten-minute ride to the outpost if we keep the pace,” she explained, tracing an imaginary path in the air. “Oh, and before I forget, how are you guys finding the mission so far?”

“Shit. It’s shit.” Complete fucking shit.

Chuckling, Hanji fished for a sugar cube in her saddlebag and tossed it upwards before cheekily catching it with her mouth and chewing on it, earning herself a disappointed stare from Moblit who continued managing the reins for her. Snacking on the snacks meant for the horses too now, huh? “Common first impression, I’m pretty sure I’ve said something along those lines during my first few runs as well,” she said through a mouthful of sugar, “But you know, compared to the Forest of Giant Trees, these woods are chickenshit. It’s perpetually dark there, and you could barely see past two horses on a good day-”

“Hey shitty-glasses,” Levi interrupted, sneering. “Are you trying to spook the recruits or what?”

No? I’m trying to reassure them and lighten the mood. The three of us have survived two runs to that creepy forest, and Pipes and Julia are more than capable of holding their own. They’re in good hands!”

“Zip it. Hartmann looks like she’s about to shit her pants at any moment. She’s trembling like a wet dog.”

“Seriously? Is that your horrible attempt at lightening the mood?” Julia scoffed, baffled that she was dragged into the conversation despite keeping to herself for the most part. Throwing her hands in the air and rolling her eyes, she spun around from her saddle to face Levi, refusing to conceal her displeasure. “I’m fine, thank you very much. I’m just cold.” 

Yeah, she’s not fine. Not fine at all. 

And here I thought midget was a horrible liar. 

“Piper can vouch for me,” Julia grumbled as an aside in an attempt to maintain her sour look, only to waver and eventually stifle an impish smirk. “Besides, shouldn’t you be paying more attention to her instead? She’s the one who looks constipated.”

Knitting a brow, Piper narrowed her eyes and cast her a disdainful look, unimpressed. “You leave me out of this,” she aired indifferently, lacking the energy to entertain their aimless conversation further. “You’re all so noisy it’s making my head split.”

“Looks like someone’s oozing with ten times the unfriendliness today.”

“And someone needs to remember that I hate meaningless small talk, so cut it out. I can’t focus.”

A break in the dense shrubbery up ahead slowly came into view as they continued riding. It was one of the clearings on the map, and within it was a dilapidated cabin whose dark, rotted planks stood in sharp contrast to the orange-tinged verdure. Moss and weeds peppered the sparse shingles on its roof, and most of its windows had been boarded up haphazardly, save for one that was smashed in, shards of glass laying on the ground directly below it, untouched. Beside the cabin was a log repurposed into a bench, along with the faint remnants of a campfire: small pebbles coated in soot arranged into a somewhat neat circle on the ground, fragments of charred lumber, and the sparsest traces of light grey ash.

Whoever occupied the place vacated some time ago, as evidenced by the neglected state of the lodge, yet the clearing certainly did not feel empty. Something else was out there, lurking in the cover of the trees and the overgrown pasture, and they were being watched.

There was a blur of movement in Piper's periphery. Small, hurried footsteps accompanied by labored breathing and the snapping of brittle twigs echoed around them as the air grew humid and sickeningly damp with the sour undernote of ichor and innards. All of a sudden, a blood-curdling scream shattered the silence as the earth beneath them rumbled in rhythmic bursts, and Piper’s blood ran cold when throaty, inhuman moaning responded to the shrill yelling; the source of the groaning was so near that it reverberated in her bones. 

Cursing to herself, she tried to steady and conceal her trembling hands as she prepared to fire the gun, anxiously scanning the area for any more signs of movement. The hairs at the back of her neck stood on end when a large, outstretched limb poked from the trees and slammed down on the trail in front of them, ejecting a cloud of dust in the air as its hand blindly searched the ground for prey, dried blood crusting underneath the edges of its nails.

Titan.

“Piper,” Levi slowly called from under his breath as he extended his arm in front of her body and shielded her before grabbing the reins of her steed to prevent it from moving forward. “Take your finger off the trigger, now. There might be more hiding in the area, and you’ll blow our cover if that shell goes off.”

Another scream sounded, and Piper flinched harshly as she recognized the voice. They were the frightened calls of a young girl, one that shouldn’t even be in the area, to begin with. Beside her, Julia whimpered as the limb in front of them retreated, heavy footsteps returning as the concealed titan diverted from their direction and attempted to follow the source of distress. 

“You guys,” Julia’s voice trembled in fear as she too tried to keep it hushed, wary of producing too much sound that could alert the nearby titan. Her mossy eyes were the size of platters as they restlessly darted around, paranoid. “There’s a kid out there, we have to do something.”

Flicking her gaze apprehensively from Levi, Julia, then at the gun she was holding, Piper relented and abided Levi’s order, lowering the gun and gritting her teeth in agitation as she tried her best to shut herself out from the incessant cries for help. 

We have to do something.

“Rescuing that brat isn’t a part of the mission,” he replied, motioning to Hanji and Moblit to resume the approach to the outpost while nudging the sides of his horse, breaking into a gallop. “We’ll continue riding whether you like it or not. Pick up the speed and stay close.”

“This is a kid we’re talking about!” Julia argued, looking to Piper for support. Conflicted, Piper bit her lip, maintained her silence, and nudged her mount to gallop, unable to look back at Julia as she rode up to Levi. “Don’t you guys have any fucking remorse for a kid?” the redhead proceeded to demand as she trailed after them, horrified.

“We can’t save everyone,” Piper responded bitterly, gritting her teeth and squeezing the reins when a loud, distinctive thud shook their vicinity. Of all the bloody times and places in this stupid-ass world, why did this kid have to be here now? “You should know this.”

“No- you know this isn’t right!” Julia pointed out, glaring. “I can see right through you, idiot. You don’t agree with any of this, at all. Erwin’s order’s eating at you, isn’t it?”

Alright, you caught me. This really is just a load of bullshit.

A big load of steaming, fuming, and sticky bullshit.

But you clearly already knew that.

Reluctantly, Piper let go of the reins and retrieved the hilts of her blades from their holsters, attaching them onto the blades in her scabbard. “Leave the kid to Julia and I. She’ll continue bitching about this if we don’t act on it,” she concluded, composing herself as she unsheathed the swords and tested the triggers, adjusting the firing trajectory of the anchors of her maneuver gear and aiming for the trees. “You three keep riding to the outpost. We’ll follow when we’re done. We just have to stick to this dirt road anyways, right?”

“It’s too dangerous to split up,” Moblit brought up with concern. “It’s a straightforward route, but the forest’s unpredictable. The chance of getting ambushed by a titan is high, and we can’t afford to lose any more manpower.”

“Don’t make this harder for all of us,” Levi insisted as they finally entered the clearing. “Stick to the formation as planned-”

A girl, no older than the age of ten by the looks of it, shot out from the bushes and unintentionally intercepted their path. Leaves clung to her disheveled blonde hair, and the hems of her periwinkle dress were tattered and soaked in mud. Scratches littered her arms and legs, and her doe-like eyes were overflowing with fright as she froze in place and recognized the presence of their party, catching Levi- whose horse was a hair’s breadth away from trampling her- off-guard. Halting abruptly, he yanked his horse and tried his best to avoid the girl, only to collide into Piper’s mount who didn’t have enough time to respond to the sudden shift in momentum, throwing her off the saddle as the formation broke and the animals tangled onto themselves, sending them into jeopardy.

Immediately, Piper pulled the trigger in her hilt and fired a grappling hook towards the nearest tree trunk, using it to anchor and prevent herself from crashing onto the ground as she reeled herself back and regained her footing. “What the hell.” she groaned to herself, shaken by the turn of events.

Fate, circumstance- or whoever was sadistic enough to be in charge of stringing up occurrences like this- refused to give them time to recover; the branches beside them snapped as a titan pounced on the girl, knocking her away from their muddled group before picking her up with its hand. As recognition of what was about to occur dawned on her, the girl grew hysterical, desperately kicking and swinging her legs in resistance as the giant hoisted her up.

“Seven-meter class!” Moblit called out, steadying his horse who was thrashing around, startled by the commotion. “It’s distracted- we should be fine!” 

“Get back on your horse!” Levi urgently yelled as he hopped down and grabbed the hood of Piper’s cloak, yanking her towards her mount in haste. “We’re leaving!”

“You can’t be serious,” Piper resisted, aghast. “Midget, that kid’s about to get eaten!” 

“We’re running out of time!” 

Just when she’d thought that their situation had reached the pinnacle of unhandy complications and that there was no possible way for it to progress into something much worse, a deafening roar shook the forest and caught their group’s full, undivided attention. Even the stupid-looking titan before them seemed shaken by it, resembling a frightened, helpless mouse caught redhanded in the dead of night and backed into a dark corner. The predator becomes the prey, or so they’d say.

The ground thudded rapidly as another titan entered the fold, its stringy limbs dangling and flailing uncontrollably at its sides as it shot towards the titan holding the young girl, grunting and sending spittle into the air while ignoring their group. The creature was enormous- twice the size of the previous titan, and horrifyingly agile. Petrified, Piper stared as the two gruesome creatures contested for the helpless girl, recognizing the bloodstained hands of the erratic-moving one, and comprehending that it belonged to the same limb that nearly slammed down on them earlier. 

“Holy shit!” Hanji cursed, her expression a mixture of fright, awe, and urgency as she clung to her horse for support amidst the chaos unfolding. “Abnormal! Fifteen-meter class! Get out of there or you’ll get trampled!” she yelled as she tried to appease their distraught horses.

“You’re all totally fine with leaving this kid to those things?” Julia shouted in return, frustrated tears welling in her eyes as the two titans clawed and gnashed at each other. “Have you lost your fucking minds?”

The chaos was unbearable- everything was coming down upon them, and the window for getting out of this mess alive was growing narrower by the minute. The screaming and the thrashing grew muffled, the world was spinning under Piper’s feet, and the rapid beating of her heart in her chest was so loud that it was obliterating her eardrums. It was nauseating, and she blinked hard as she fought the urge to retch.

“Brunswick, get on your horse!” Levi demanded, grabbing her hand as she remained rooted in that haphazard spot. The stoic, unshakeable disposition he typically donned was nowhere to be found; his cobalt eyes were overbrimming with selfish concern, pleading for her to see reason. Even he’s afraid. “Fuck’s sake at this rate we’ll all get eaten!” 

“You three!” Moblit screamed, barely keeping it together as the rumbling grew stronger. “There’s more coming! We have to make it to the outpost!” 

Damn it all.

Prioritize the mission my ass, Erwin. 

Clenching her fist, Piper roughly tore her hand away from Levi's, averting her eyes and redirecting it towards the titans, stricken by guilt when she saw him flinch and waver at her crass reaction. “I’m not letting that kid end up in some naked bitch’s belly,” she adamantly declared, pointing accusingly at the titan with her blade which gleamed in the sunlight. “So get out of my way and go to the outpost already before I throw you to the ground again, just like before.”

“Get on your horse and stick to the formation, Piper. That’s an order.

“Go fuck yourself, Levi.”

No hard feelings, midget. We’ll talk about this later if I make it out alive.

Sorry in advance if this happens to be your last memory of me.

“Piper!”

“Levi, they’ve made their decision,” Hanji intervened, begrudgingly nodding to Piper as she pleaded to him, similarly reluctant to leave and abandon them yet knowing very well that it was useless to try to convince her otherwise. “We have to go.”

Take care of that shithead for me, will you?

“Julia, aim for the legs!” Piper hollered, turning away from them and sprinting further into the clearing as she gestured towards the abnormal. “Just like we’ve practiced!” 

“We’re doing that now?” the redhead answered, unsheathing her blades as she stood on her saddle, preparing to shift to omnidirectional movement.

“Just do as I say!” 

Using the horse as a springboard, Julia launched herself in the air and fired both of her hooks on the tree across the abnormal’s position, thrusting towards it as the stream of gas propelled her body forward. As she aligned herself with the titan’s hamstrings, she retracted the hooks at the last second, ejected a brief, stronger burst of gas then dashed, using the extra momentum to her advantage and cleanly severing both of the abnormal’s hamstrings in one go, tipping its balance. 

Plumes of steam escaped the deep lacerations as the titan shrieked in agony and teetered backwards. Seizing the opportunity, Piper shot her anchor on its forearm and accelerated towards it, similarly releasing a powerful blast of the compressed gas at the very last second before detaching the hook from its arm, catapulting her higher up in the air.

An overpowering rush of adrenaline coursed through her body as she reached the peak of her velocity, reflexively using that split fraction of a second to shift gears and fully divert her momentum before gravity took effect and pulled her down preemptively. Somersaulting, she manipulated her body towards the direction of its nape, extended her blades, then barreled down in full force, the wind blasting harshly against her face as she slammed down and landed the killing blow.

Hot, viscous blood fountained out and splattered all over Piper as she sliced through its nape and sent a chunk of its skin flying, subduing the monster and ending its life. “Jot this down as my first kill!” she smugly announced, turning towards Julia who was suspended mid-air.

“Get off your high horse, Piper, and don’t take all the credit!” Julia shouted back as she flew towards the seven-meter, ready to repeat their strategy. “I’ve got a flawless assist in there that contributed to that kill of yours!” 

“We just have to deal with that last prick, and then we’ll be fine!” An unpleasant crack stemmed from within Piper’s right blade and dispensed a troubling vibration through the entire sword as she dislodged it from the titan’s nape. Alarmed, she swiftly wiped the evaporating blood off its surface and observed its condition, searching for fissures or any indicator of strain.

Seeing that nothing was amiss, however, she disregarded the peculiar sound and awaited her window atop the deceased abnormal as Julia flew in and severed the seven-meter’s heels, making it stagger and grunt in pain.

“Piper! Now!” 

The trigger of her anchor jerked, jamming and refusing to fire the hook just as she leapt off the abnormal’s carcass. A scratchy whine resonated from its interior mechanism as it struggled to deliver the intended action, resulting in Piper disgracefully losing her footing atop the titan. Without thinking, she stabbed her right sword onto the titan’s torso, the unnerving noise of metal cracking internally ringing out of the weapon as she tried to break her fall. 

“Piper!” 

“I’m fine!” she gasped, glancing warily at the faulty blade carved deep into the belly of the abnormal, on the verge of snapping. There wasn’t enough time to switch it out in favor of the spare blades in her scabbard, and even if she wanted to, the hilt’s mechanism was still jammed, preventing her from deploying the hook or unequipping the blade. Hoping for the best, she yanked the sword out of the titan’s abdomen and doubled down on her left side, fastening the hook directly onto the seven-meter’s forearm instead of utilizing the surrounding trees to gain acceleration. 

The little girl yelped as the titan registered what was happening and brought her closer to its mouth as it continued to collapse to the ground. Enraged, Piper switched her position mid-flight and slashed its wrist, causing it to release the girl as it lost the function of its hand. Maximizing her gas, she swung underneath its arm then heaved herself back up, blinding the giant with the powerful jet of gas as she circled behind it, anchored onto its nape, then reeled herself forward.

“Go to hell, you shitspawn!” she growled, striking its nape with all her might. Unable to withstand the force, the blade finally snapped and shattered into jagged fragments upon impact, and the tremendous amount of scorching smoke that billowed out from the rupture like a geyser hurled the hazardous shards at her, transforming them into projectiles.

Piper fell victim to the chunks of her now-disintegrated blade as a heavy shard sliced her forearm, penetrating layers of clothing and leaving behind a nasty gash. Waves of intolerable pain shot to her shoulders as blood discharged from the wound, soaking her sleeves and mixing with the titan’s blood.

Neither Julia nor the kid seemed to have noticed what had happened. Suppressing a wince, Piper continued pushing forward and swung back down to catch the falling girl, whisking her up just in time and gritting her teeth in agony when she accidentally pulled her wounded arm too far. She brought the girl close and enveloped her tiny frame as they crashed, careening on the overgrown grass.

And the award for the worst landing executed by a scout goes to none other than… me.

Bravo, Piper. If the titans won’t do that kid in, your omnidirectional skills definitely will.

Groaning, Piper slowly rolled to her side and propped herself up with her good arm, cursing under her breath as blood continued to drip. Spots decorated her vision as she limped towards the location of the girl, clutching her arm behind her back, cautious of spooking the kid further with her beaten state; the girl had already seen a lifetime’s worth of blood and severed limbs. Any more and she’d lose her sanity.

“Kid, stay with me,” she grunted, kneeling down to match the girl’s height before lightly slapping her tear-streaked cheeks, hoping to shake off the initial shock. “Are you hurt?”

Meekly shaking her head, the young girl extended her arm and pointed past Piper’s shoulder, amber eyes still sporting a glassy expression bereft of any semblance of vigor. “Horse,” she said robotically, “The horse.”

Whipping around to see what the fuss was about, Piper’s jaw dropped as she saw the titan’s body falling in the direction of her horse, mortified. “Hey- hey! Watch the horse- Julia! My stupid fucking horse!” 

Aaaand, too late.

Unable to control the direction of the collapsing titan or do anything from their positions, Piper, Julia, and the kid helplessly watched as its slain carcass fell on her steed, the sickening crunch of bone filling the air as the unfortunate animal was crushed to death. 

Oh god, Erwin’s gonna be so mad.

“Motherfucker- seriously?” Piper aired in disbelief, tugging at her braid as she tried to ignore the horse’s twitching legs. Squeezing her temples in annoyance, she returned to the girl and grabbed both of her shoulders, impatient. “What’s your name-”

“Piper! Look out!”  

Somehow, fate still wasn’t satisfied with the wretched happenstances their group had to endure. The sadistic puppet master had an insatiable appetite for suffering, and they were all unfortunate victims caught in its gluttonous rampage.

It happened too fast; another titan leapt out and took them by surprise. An oppressive glint of primal malice and hatred was contained in its dark, abysmal eyes as it pounced towards the two of them, its mouth salivating greatly and contorted into a ravenous, grotesque snarl.

Julia was too far from them, and there was nothing else that Piper could do but stand before the monster, hopeless as the sunlit clearing around them grew dimmer than the midnight sky, eclipsed by the massive mouth that was about to swallow them whole.

So this is how it’s going to be?

After everything I’ve been through, it all comes down to this?

The titan’s hot, sickening breath mockingly fanned her cheeks and stripped all the humidity in the air, suffocating and overwhelming her senses as she braced herself for their imminent demise and the unimaginable pain of being chewed alive. With a quivering lip, she embraced the young girl, ensuring to shield her eyes from the unsettling sight of staring down a gruesome death. 

It was the only consolation she could think of for the poor girl, and bitter tears threatened to spill down Piper’s face as its yellow teeth engulfed their figures and prepared to bite down.

Humanity really was at the mercy of Death and the titans. A wretched tag team hell-bent on ensuring their lives were overflowing with misery. They were prisoners fated for a lifetime caged in the Walls, bound to a vicious cycle of death of suffering. It was useless to pursue freedom- it was a fantasy, a delusion frail humans tried to get drunk on as a means of coping or momentarily escaping their brutal reality.

There was no freedom beyond the Walls. Only pain, and even more suffering.

It was all for nothing. 

Chapter 14: In Fleeting Solitude

Chapter Text

Death followed Piper like a stubborn shadow, biding his time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. She’d managed to outwit Death and narrowly escape his bony, vise-like grip by the thread of her sheer pathetic luck for so long now, it made him desperate. But, despite everything she’d endured, underneath the shell of apathy and nonchalance, she was a coward through and through. A frail, miserable excuse of a person who couldn’t face the burden of her actions and feared dying, above all things. 

She dreaded the thought of it; had recurring nightmares like any sane person who had witnessed far too many deaths than they bargained for would. It was a game of cat and mouse that drew on for far too long. The nightmares that poisoned her mind, the visions, the near-death encounters- they were all child’s play for good old Grim Reaper, a mocking game he fancied for sinners like her; generous warnings, if you may.

This time was different. It wasn’t one of his games, for it felt so certain. Death felt so certain. She could see his outstretched fingers, mere inches away from her grief-stricken face, itching to reap her tainted soul and add it to his growing collection as the titan’s mouth drew ever so nearer, closing in on her dwarfed, quivering figure and the little girl in her arms.

All of this was just long-overdue retribution for her countless sins. 

She held her breath and waited, but it never came. Fate had other plans in store for her.

A blur of green and silver crossed her view, and then a blast of wind ensued just as the tip of the titan’s teeth grazed her scalp. In the blink of an eye, its lower jaw and tongue had been severed and lay several feet away, disgorging a thick pillar of mist as the mutilated parts began to decompose. Gallons of blood sprayed down like a waterfall, bathing everything in deep crimson as the jawless titan collapsed in front of her, lifeless. 

With the state of catatonic shock starting to wear off and her grip on reality slowly settling into place, Piper wearily panned her eyes to the top of the titan’s head where their timely interceptor stood, only to spot a familiar pair of slate-colored eyes that mirrored her drained look, or perhaps even more. 

My legs are gonna fucking give in. 

“You- you came back-” she sputtered, awash by shaky relief as she gaped at Levi whose face displayed an unsettling swell of turbulent emotions all at once. He remained tight-lipped and diverted his eyes towards Julia as he sheathed his blades and silently jumped down the titan’s head.

You came back.

“Why- why did you come back?” Piper demanded, angrier this time as her disorientation completely dissolved, allowing her to fully register what just occurred. “Didn’t I tell you to go on ahead? What about the mission-”

I don’t know what I’m saying- what the hell am I saying?

Why is it so hard for me to just utter a simple ‘thank you’ to him?

“I’ll have a word with you later,” Levi cut off brusquely, casting her a tolerant side glance before crossing his arms, no doubt keeping his temper at bay at the best of his ability. “Go check on that brat in your arms first.”

Right. The brat.

This stupid fucking kid that nearly got us killed.

“You-” Furious, Piper roughly knelt on the ground and grabbed the girl’s shoulders, whipping her around to face her. “What the hell were you doing back there?” she questioned with a wince when another wave of pain stabbed her arm. “Are you stupid? Can’t you see that the forest’s been compromised?” 

“I- I was trying to get to our livestock, but I couldn’t find them,” the girl whimpered uncomfortably, sniffling. “I couldn’t just leave them out there, not with the titans around-”

“Fuck the livestock!” Piper exclaimed, voice ringing throughout the forest. Her lungs burned as the cortisol in her system started to subside, each sharp intake of air scratching the back of her throat as she tried to catch her breath. With both hands still unsteady and trembling from the action, she cupped the kid’s face, her irate expression slipping and faltering briefly when a handful of blood from her battered arm smeared the girl’s porcelain cheeks. “Unless you’d like to be livestock yourself!”

“Piper,” Julia warned, heedful of her friend’s temper as she continued to harshly address the girl. “Take it easy, will you? She’s just a kid.”

What a mess. Don’t take your anger out on a kid, idiot.

Blinking slowly, Piper softened her expression and relaxed as she wiped the blood on the girl’s face, hoping- no, praying that it was passable as titan blood, only for more of it to spread, troubling her further.

Crap, that just made it worse.

Stay calm, you’re fine. You’re still covered in titan blood. It’ll take her a while to notice… I think.

“It’s not your fault,” Piper sighed, using her left hand instead to wipe the blood and tuck the girl’s disheveled locks away as she tried her best to conceal her perturbation. “I didn’t mean it that way,” she corrected herself and set the record straight, “Are you hurt?”

“Just a few scratches, but I think I’ll be fine,” she answered politely, understanding Piper’s intention. “Uhm- what about you, Miss? Are you okay? I hope- I hope you’re okay, you looked like you hurt yourself earlier.” 

Crap, crap, crap, crap, crap.

“Your name, kid- now.” Piper hurriedly redirected the conversation and put her right arm down the moment blood started to drip from her sleeve once more, wishing with every fiber of her being that the girl didn’t notice.

“Clara- Clara Bayer.”

“Clara, huh?” She extended her hand for a simple handshake and forced herself to demonstrate a small, close-lipped smile, all for the sake of pleasantries and comforting her new acquaintance. If you could even consider us to be acquaintances. “Pretty name you’ve got there.” Piper noted as she shook her hand, “Just call me Piper.”

Clara leapt and embraced her. “Thank you for saving my life,” she beamed, nuzzling her head into the crook of her neck, content. Taken aback, Piper nodded and hummed in approval as she rubbed circles on Clara’s back, reciprocating the endearing gesture. “They’re right- the Scouts are saviors,” continued Clara. “Especially you, Miss Piper. You’re my savior.”

“I’m not a savior, kid,” Piper bluntly responded, stricken by a pang of guilt. Childish naivete at its finest. Don’t put me on a pedestal, I’ve done things your innocent mind couldn’t dare to imagine. “It’s just a job. I’m being paid to do shit like this.”

“But you still saved my life, so it counts! That makes you a hero on my watch.”

“I don’t have time to argue with a kid,” she resigned, breaking away from Clara’s embrace before leading her towards Julia, defeated. “Believe what you want. See if I care.”

“When I grow up, I want to be like you!” 

Unsure of how to react to Clara’s harmless admiration for her, Piper clenched her fist and lowered her head, shamefully watching the droplets of blood that leaked from the spaces in-between her fingers and proceeded to patter on the grass they stood on. “Trust me, you don’t.” 

If only you knew.

“I’ll make it up to you someday, Miss Piper! I promise!”

“Make it up to me by staying alive.” Sucking in a breath to mask her dismay, she turned around and hoisted Clara up onto Julia’s horse before giving her small hand a parting squeeze. “You’re in good hands. Julia will take you back to our camp.”

Apprehensively, the auburn-haired girl received Clara and scooted back from her saddle to accommodate her as she rounded up the reins. “What about you?” she asked, peering at the unfortunate remains of Piper’s horse before shifting her eyes towards Levi, seeking affirmation that was going to put her mind at ease and convince her that they were going to be alright. “Your horse is- well, dead’s an understatement. Will you manage?”

Piper flashed Julia a knowing glance and a faint, reassuring smile, lightly patting her horse’s hip as Levi stepped forward. “Deal with the kid for now, Hartmann,” he instructed, shooting Piper a complex, indecipherable stare. She wasn’t quite so sure if it was an upset look that was meant to convey his disappointment or anger in the most passive-aggressive manner, or if it was just his eccentric way of expressing reassurance. As always, he was difficult to decipher. “Leave Piper and the rest of the mission to me. Inform Erwin of what happened as well.”

“Should I call for reinforcements?”

“Don’t. We’ll manage.”

With a pensive smile, she turned to them one last time. “Don’t die out there- both of you,” Julia called, taking Clara’s hand and waving towards them as they departed. “Make it back in one piece, alright? We’ll be waiting.”

No promises.

As the two girls vanished into the sylvan backdrop, the clearing grew undisturbed, its somber, hollowed emptiness greatly felt as Piper was left alone with Levi. An impenetrable stillness weaved its way into the sullied pasture, blanketing their lonesome figures. They stood apart from each other, counting the seconds in their heads, waiting for Julia to garner a safe distance and be well out of earshot as they took their time, and gathered the words to say before attempting to incite a conversation.

The pervading silence worked against her favor and made coming down from the rush of adrenaline even more excruciating. With nothing around to keep her mind distracted from the gash in her arm, the searing pain escalated, so Piper bit the inside of her cheek, repressing her anguish as she supported it and readjusted her cloak to conceal the oozing blood. 

“You’re not very subtle with your anger,” she stated with a light scoff whilst keeping her eyes fixed to the blood-soaked ground, exhausted and incapable of looking him in the eye as he moved closer to her spot. “If you’ve got something to say, spit it out. Let’s clear the air before we get on with the mission, as planned.” 

“You’ve got some nerve, imp.” Levi seized Piper by the collar and pinned her against the neighboring tree, livid. “What the hell were you thinking?” he spat, shaking her and making the fabric wrinkle under his strong grip, vexation boiling over. “Do you have any idea how much trouble you’ve caused us?”

“I couldn’t let that kid end up in some naked bitch’s belly,” she coughed, struggling to contain her grimace as white-hot pain jolted her nerves. “It’s not fair for her. She’s too young.”

“You nearly died!” 

“It doesn’t matter.”

“What do you mean it doesn’t matter?”

“It doesn’t matter!” Snapping, Piper grabbed his hand and tugged it away, freeing her from his hold. The action exerted more strain on her arm than she’d expected and lifted her cloak, exposing her injury albeit momentarily. “This is what I’ve signed for,” she hissed under her breath as she crumpled against the tree, writhing in suppressed agony and alarming Levi who was perceptive enough to grasp what she was trying to conceal as he took a step back, frowning. “Who gives a flying fuck if I die here, anyways?”

That’s right, no one.

Murderers like me should’ve been wiped off the face of the earth ages ago.

The titans’ blood that soaked them from head to toe earlier had all but evaporated completely, making the angry pool of red on her sleeve, along with the droplets that trickled down and decorated the side of her leg stick out like an overly sore thumb. It was pointless to sell the act to him; he’d already pieced together what had happened and gazed directly at her, worriedly nudging his head towards the arm she defensively kept by her side. 

“You’re bleeding.”

Tell me something I don’t already know. 

“It’s not mine. It’s titan blood.”

“Don’t give me that bullshit. That isn’t titan blood.”

“Well then I’m telling you, it’s not my fucking blood,” Piper mouthed, words lacking assertion as her vision grew hazy and a feeling of lightheadedness emerged, a dull, throbbing ache nagging the back of her head. “I don’t need your bloody concern.”

He took a step closer and ran a hand through his hair, exasperated. “What happened to your arm?” he questioned with urgency, refusing to let the topic go.

Piper clenched her jaw in irritation. “I’m fine,” she stubbornly dismissed in turn, beads of sweat forming on her forehead as she straightened the injured arm and pressed down on the wound to lessen the bleeding, grimacing. “It’s just a mild scrape, short stack. Nothing serious. Just let me catch my breath.”

“Idiot, you’re not fine!” Levi cursed, clasping her arm. He tried to keep her forearm in place while examining the extent of her injury, nails unintentionally digging onto the gash itself and drawing more blood to the surface which prompted Piper to cry out in pain as the stabbing sensation shot up the rest of her arm in pulses. Realizing what he had done, Levi released her arm in an instant and recoiled his hand, eyes widening in surprise as he stared at the distressing amount of scarlet plasma that coated it. “I- I didn’t mean to-”

“I know,” Piper rasped, squeezing her eyes shut and vehemently shaking her head as she keeled over and slumped against the tree trunk, the bothersome ache spreading to her shoulder and making its way to the base of her neck, sapping her of her energy. “I know.”

He knelt beside her and lifted her head with great concern, hoping it would alleviate the pain in some way as he patiently brushed away the hair that was obstructing her face and adding up to her inconvenience. “Let me have a look,” he insisted apologetically, taking care not to cause any unwanted movement which may aggravate the injury. “I have bandages on my horse.” 

“I don’t really have much of a choice now, do I?” she surrendered, cheeks heating up and composure waning and falling apart like a frail, unfortified barricade surged by a great tide in a violent tempest.

God, if you have any mercy left in your almighty ass, just end me right now. Smite me with a bolt of lightning, send me into cardiac arrest, have a titan fall down on me- I don’t know. Anything. Just give me anything.

I’m sick of this stupid, giddy feeling that makes me feel like I’m stuck on an infinite merry-go-round that’s gone haywire.

So sick and tired of this hopeless feeling that I shouldn’t even have in the first place.

I hate how you make me feel.

Groaning, Piper moved his hand away from her face and mustered her strength- or whatever was left of it at least- to stand up. She cradled her arm and scowled in frustration at herself when her thighs ached in sharp protest at her attempt to heave herself up, fatigue kicking in and taking its toll on her legs which were starting to numb out, hence keeping her rooted to the ground. Without missing a beat, Levi shook his head as he wrapped an arm around her waist and slung her good arm over his shoulder, pulling her close.

“Come on, I’ll help you.” he offered, shifting his weight and adjusting his position, mindful of her injury and ensuring that it was properly supported as he assisted her towards the log bench by the worn-down cabin. Flustered at how close he was, Piper started to squirm, heart racing and face burning. “Levi, it’s fine- I’m alright,” she maintained, shamefaced as her eyes darted all over, not knowing where to focus. “I can walk on my own.”

“Don’t bother. You can hardly stand up, and you were walking with a limp earlier.”

“I’m telling you, I’m fine-”

“Quit being so stubborn for once, Piper, and just let me help you.”

Holy shit you really won’t take no for an answer, huh?

Arguing was a waste of time and effort, which they were running terribly short on. There was no way of telling how much time had passed while they were rescuing Clara and cleaning up after their own messes. For all they knew, the outpost might have been overtaken by the horde at this point given their detour, and there was probably nothing left of it. All for the stupid reason of rescuing a girl who had nothing much to offer at the table for them, besides a starry-eyed look blinded by an idealized perception of their regiment, and a spiel of endless gratitude, and just gratitude. Nothing else.

In retrospect, the decision was irrational. Perhaps even an error in judgement for Piper. Not only did her actions derail them from the operation, but it left her in no state to fight and fend for her life, let alone even travel. A bleeding arm, a mangled horse- the poor thing, and malfunctioning maneuver gear incapable of executing its most important feature; these were the consequences of her actions. She was dead weight, and it was rather ironic how it could have all been avoided had she not decided to go against Levi’s orders, and veer from their formation in the most inconsiderate manner possible.

He had every right to be mad. She’d compromised their lives, most especially Hanji and Moblit who were now left to deal with the outpost and search for Mike’s team on their own. She didn’t deserve any form of sympathy nor aid from him, not after all the inconveniences she’d caused. Nevertheless, he was still helping her. 

It puzzled her. It didn’t make sense- hell, it wasn’t logical. None of it- no, none of this was logically sound whatsoever.

Why?

Just leave me already.

“What happened to your arm?” Levi repeated his query once they reached the log, sitting Piper down and watchfully eyeing her wound, brows drawn together in concern as he went on and whistled to his horse who was grazing by the opening of the pasture.

The onyx Thoroughbred perked its head at the sound of his call, trotting obediently towards their place before bowing its head in a friendly manner, its soulful, dark brown eyes flickering from him to Piper, brimming with curiosity. It flared its nostrils and nickered as it nudged its muzzle at her, so she held out her palm in front of its mouth, allowing the animal to lick her hand before pulling back and discreetly wiping the saliva on her cloak, hiding her disgust.

As if a horse is capable of comprehending what a disgusted look is.

“It happened mid-air, in the middle of the fight,” Piper recounted with a disappointed lilt, idly kicking the soil with the tip of her boot and watching Levi trawl through the saddlebags for bandages. He looked at her as she retrieved her hilt from the sheaths and raised it, pointing out the damage. “Bastard decided to jam while I was anchored onto the titan,” she resumed, repeatedly pressing the stuck triggers which continued to emit a grating whine; puny puffs of gas exited the mouth of the fans affixed on her lower back, proving her point. “My blade was worn, and since the whole thing jammed, it wouldn’t let me switch it out. It shattered on impact, and my arm got caught by a flying shard.”

“Didn’t you check your gear beforehand?”

She chuckled mirthlessly and slammed the hilt on the edge of the log, frustrated. “Believe me, I did.” 

“Hitting your gear and throwing a bratty tantrum won’t fix that.” Levi gave his horse a quick pat and fed it a sugar cube before walking back to the log, bandages and first aid supplies in hand. Sitting right beside her, he lifted her arm and placed it on his leg, straightening it. “Let’s worry about your gear after I clean your arm. You’ll catch an infection if it’s left untreated.” he said as he began tending to her wound. He pulled out a small knife and worked on the tattered sleeves that clung to her skin, cautiously cutting and peeling them off, revealing the unpleasant gash. 

“Shit, it looks worse than I thought.” Way to go, Piper. You’ve done it this time. 

“Can you move your arm?” He lightly ran a finger across the surface of the gash, tracing its outline and studying the severity of her wound, making Piper flinch involuntarily at his touch. Worried that the motion was inflicting pain, he immediately paused and lifted his eyes, his frown unwavering. “Don’t worry, I can move it,” she replied, nodding her head and permitting him to continue as she cautiously lifted her fingers one by one, testing the range of her mobility. “It just feels like crap at the moment.” 

Hesitantly, Levi reached for one of the tinted bottles and unscrewed its cap, regret visible in his eyes as he positioned its mouth directly above the wound. “It’s alcohol,” he cautioned, not looking forward to what he had to do. Piper gulped and eyed the bottle intently, watchful of the liquid that crept to the very edge of its opening, ready to spill. She steeled herself and tried to ball her hand into a fist, mentally bracing for the harrowing pain it was going to bring. “I’ll try to make it quick, but this will hurt. There’s no way around it.”

“Just get it over with.”

It felt like her arm was burning from the inside. Overwhelming pulses of scorching pain seized her forearm as the alcohol seeped into the laceration, absorbing into exposed muscle. Her veins were screaming, and the pain continued to worsen with each second, showing no sign of receding as Levi continued disinfecting the wound, wiping the blood and alcohol as fast as he could, just like he’d promised. The procedure was just as torturous for him, and he clicked his tongue in agitation when the initial wash proved insufficient, knowing what had to be done.

I can’t do this. Fuck, I can’t do this.  

“Piper, take a deep breath. I’m almost done.” His voice was thick with remorse as he proceeded to pour the alcohol for the second time. There was blood all over the place- her blood was all over the place, and it was an unsightly mess that was sure to make anyone’s stomach turn. It covered his fingers, stained his pants- even his pristine white cravat was not exempted. It looked like they’d just committed murder, and if anyone were to walk in on them right now- God forbid that from happening, PLEASE. Bloody hell this fucking arm’s more than enough to be the death of me - they were sure to get the wrong idea...

Be it due to the alarming amount of blood that covered them, or the severely unprofessional lack of space between them that was bound to get heads turning if there was no injury involved- you be the judge.

The stinging persisted, each drop of alcohol hitting her arm akin to molten steel. Reaching the limit of her tolerance, the pain grew unbearable, and tears clouded Piper’s vision as she writhed, the taste of iron swimming in her tongue as she drew blood from gnawing at her bottom lip. She needed an outlet, something to latch onto for support as she diverted all her energy towards enduring the pain. Refusing to let the tears spill, she hissed sharply and buckled over, grabbing Levi’s thigh and unthinkingly squeezing it, panting. 

You fucking idiot! Not his thigh of all places! 

What is wrong with you?!

“I’m- fuck, I’m-” she cursed through gritted teeth, eyes feeling like they were about to comically pop out of their sockets and roll on the grass as she recognized what she was doing and gaped at her ill-positioned hand, mortified. Blood rose to her cheeks, and her face was fuming, humiliation overflowing as she watched her dignity crumble before her very own eyes. 

Frantic and stumbling over her words, Piper tried to snatch her hand away (or at the very least move it up his leg, away from his inner thigh; this doesn’t even need further explanation whatsoever), but the agonizing pain prevented her from doing so, and so she found herself unwillingly digging harder onto his thigh instead. Kill me now. Kill me now. Kill me now, for the love of all things holy. “Shit- wait, I’m so sorry- I didn’t mean to-” 

“Just hang on,” Levi soothed understandingly, stifling a wince from the nails that were clawing his leg before taking her hand and slipping his own underneath hers, fingers interlacing. “It’s almost over.” He ditched the bottle of alcohol and pressed on the gash with a treated cloth, absorbing the residue concoction of blood, sweat, and alcohol, and bathing her arm with an antiseptic that tingled upon contact. 

He remained in that position for several minutes, applying constant pressure onto the lesion and rubbing the back of Piper’s hand with his thumb as she continued squeezing his hand, overwrought and unable to speak to him. The stinging gradually simmered down into a dull ache after some time, replaced by a cooling sensation coming from the medicine that was numbing the wound and calming the nerves in her arm.

It’s over.  

Piper heaved a sigh of relief and gazed vacantly at their intertwined hands, lethargic. There was hardly any pain now, just a lingering soreness that brought mild discomfort- as expected from a gash that almost split her forearm in half. Levi didn’t have to hold her hand and guide her through the process anymore; her grip was loose enough for him to let go, and yet he still held on, his fingers performing a quiet, blissful dance with hers as he secured her bandages.

“What... is this?” she uttered in a meek whisper, transfixed at the firm yet gentle hand that enveloped her blanched ones, swept by a current of troublesome emotions that made her head reel. She searched his eyes for answers- something, anything that would help her understand the confusion that bubbled in the depths of her very being as she lifted a delicate finger and caressed his knuckle, relishing the warmth of his touch.

“What do you mean?”

“You don’t have to do this, you know? No one’s obligating you to do so,” Piper said, an inexplicable longingness dwelling at the back of her mind as he adjusted his hold and gave her hand a light squeeze. “So why? Why do you keep doing all of this- whatever this is- for me?”

Levi turned, the frigid glint in his murky irises melting away as he focused on her. “You’re right, I don’t have to do this,” he replied while brushing his thumb against hers, “But I want to. That’s all that matters.”

“Give me a straight answer, Levi!” she begged, exasperated. “I’m sick of trying to figure you out.” 

Nonplussed at her outburst, he cast his eyes downwards, a subtle blush settling on his face despite his expression turning sober and ruminative. “Do you really want me to say it?” His hand was so much warmer as he clutched her hand. She couldn’t tell if the racing pulse she felt in their joined hands belonged to her, or if it was his. Her heart hammered against her ribcage, and the gnawing pit in her stomach intensified as she continued to study his face. 

She knew exactly what this dreaded feeling was, she just didn’t want to admit it. Not to herself, and most especially not to him. She was afraid to. Because it was improper, and she could never forgive herself if she ever slipped up. 

That cringey, overly-cliche feeling of admiration teenage girls swoon about that messes with your logic and drives you on the verge of insanity. A stupid, good-for-nothing emotion that only ever leads to tragedy. 

Turn back, Piper. Don’t do it. Think this through. Be rational.

“I- what… what are we?”

“... Friends.”

Friends.

Rather than placating the turmoil within her, the word left her with more questions and hardly any answers. And it stung. Like a slap to the face, or a punch to the gut that knocked the wind out of your lungs. Reticent, Piper let out a morose chuckle and sank lower on the log, languidly resting her head on Levi’s shoulder as she played with his fingers. “You’re the worst friend I’ve ever had.” she admitted, looking up when he hummed softly and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear. Just friends, then. Nothing more.

Wake up, idiot.

“Same goes to you.” Levi took the dented hilt that was laying on the ground and scooted closer to her, keeping his shoulder steady to prevent her head from slipping off. “Now, have your arm checked in the infirmary when we get back,” he requested, sheathing the handle before taking her arm and placing it on her lap, hands still entwined. ”I can only do so much right now.”

“If it’ll shut you up, then fine. I’ll make sure to have it checked.”

“That your shit-filled way of showing gratitude?”

“You know it,” Piper remarked with a smug, lighthearted smirk. “But for real this time. That was a close call back there,” she mentioned afterwards, shutting her eyes and listening to his steady breathing amidst the deafening silence. Too close. “I’d be dead right now if you hadn’t stepped in.”

“Don’t pull that shit ever again,” Levi whispered in response, and she felt him rest his head on top of hers. He sounded so broken and weak, much like a little boy who clung to his mother’s skirt, afraid to be left alone. There was a tinge of desperation in his words, and what felt like years’ worth of loneliness. It wasn’t like him at all. This wasn’t the Levi she knew. “I was worried for you.”

No, perhaps she didn’t know him at all. Maybe this was the real him that only a few have gotten to know. Beneath the callous mask was a gentle, soft-spoken man with a penchant for shit jokes and a rather awkward, yet endearing way of showing concern.

“Thanks for saving my skin,” Piper opened her eyes and tilted her head, holding his gaze as she gazed at the afternoon sky. “I owe you one.” She didn’t want to leave. She wanted to remain in the pasture, cut off from everyone, with only him by her side. Shoulder to shoulder, hands intertwined, basking in the fleeting solitude of the forest- it was an impossible wish. Pathetic too. 

I bet Piper from six months ago would be so fucking hysterical right now. Apparently, I’m not all that different from midget’s legion of crazed, batshit fangirls back in Trost.

God, who am I to talk?

Shit, maybe there is something terribly wrong with me.

I should probably have myself admitted to the nearest psychiatric ward instead when we get back.

There was a sudden break in the silence as the shrubberies rustled, suggesting movement. “Someone’s coming.” Levi said as he stood up, hesitating for a brief moment to let go of her hand before eventually doing so as he reached for his blades, ready to draw them out as he paid attention to the growing noise. The clobber of several, fast-approaching hooves along with the steady rumble of wooden carts soon surrounded the space, and it wasn’t long before another figure charged through the foliage and entered the area, revealing themselves to be none other than Mike. 

He was battling exhaustion and struggling to catch his breath. His clothes were soiled with grime, tattered and worn in some places, and the putrid stench of titan flesh clung to him. Parts of his maneuver gear were dented, and there weren’t any spare blades left in his scabbard either. All signs pointed to the dirty blond coming fresh from a life-threatening encounter with the dreadful creatures. 

“What the hell are you doing here?” he demanded, frantically waving his sword in the direction they came from as the rest of his men came into view, worn out and harboring minor injuries, but overall still in one piece. “The outpost’s fallen! There’s a horde of titans directly behind us- get on your horses now!” 

“But what about the supplies?” Piper swallowed nervously and stood up from the log, alarmed. “Erwin said that whatever was contained in that outpost is vital to the regiment.“

“We got there in the nick of time and recovered everything. Nanaba and the others managed to rescue the remaining residents before they came barreling down on us,” he explained, jerking his thumb towards the wagons that steadily passed behind him. “We encountered resistance, but nothing we couldn’t manage. Consider yourselves lucky that we ran into Hanji and Moblit on the way back too, or else the two of them would’ve ridden straight into that horde up ahead.”

“Where are they?” she urgently pressed, staring past Mike and skimming through the moving wagons, searching for their faces. “Are they alright?”

“Take it easy, Brunswick. They’re fine. They’re accompanying the front wagons.” Looking back at his men, Mike gestured for them to proceed ahead of him before turning back to face her and Levi, eyes narrowed as he sported a contemplative look. “I know it’s unlikely, but did any of you happen to stumble into a young girl in this area? Blonde hair, ten years old. We rescued her parents earlier, and they’ve been worried sick. Got separated from them because she decided to go back for their cattle.”

“What kind of stupid coincidence is this?” Levi raised a brow and scowled incredulously. “Piper saved a brat earlier that matches your description, word for word. She’s with Julia now who took her back to camp.”

“I’m guessing that serves as the plausible cause for the busted arm and that dead horse over there?”

Chagrined at his observation, Piper averted her eyes and pressed her lips together. “I got careless,” she proceeded to say as she joined Mike in staring at the dissolved remains of the titan and her crushed steed. “We were supposed to be your reinforcements, but we got caught up in saving the girl- Clara, so the team split up.”

“Forget it. What’s done is done.” Mike shook his head, “The mission’s taken care of; there’s nothing left here, and those things will be here any minute now. We can’t afford another encounter with them, we’ve exhausted most of our gas and blades.” Grunting, he stirred his horse and flashed Piper an apologetic stare before taking off, reading her mind. “Sorry Brunswick, don’t have any horses to spare. The two of you will have to make do.”

Yeah, I figured.

Piper hugged her arm and made her way back to the log, absorbed in guilt-ridden contemplation as she stared at the marred horse, remembering the short yet fruitful time she’d spent with it, along with the jocund whinnies that would fill the stables every time she came by to visit. Such a loyal and placid animal, who kept her safe throughout the mission, and provided her company when the headquarters proved too stuffy for her liking, didn’t deserve to go down in such a gruesome way. 

Just another innocent being who had to die because of my stupidity. 

Pinching the bridge of her nose, she picked up a stone from the unlit campfire and grabbed a pinch of ash, inscribing her fallen steed’s name on its surface before walking up to its remains and shutting its half-opened eyelids as she placed the stone on its head. 

“I’m sorry.” Piper mumbled, dusting her hand on her cloak as she stood up and meekly trailed over to Levi who was patiently waiting for her by his mount. 

“Taken care of everything?” he asked, glancing empathetically at the simple grave she established for the animal before climbing up his saddle and extending his hand to help her up. “We’re not coming back anytime soon.”

She took his hand and hoisted herself up the horse, settling behind him. “Lead the way.” Piper confirmed, bashfully wrapping her arms around his waist as he prepared to take off.

“Hold on tight,” he instructed, looking back at her while mildly tugging her arms closer, making sure that she was secure. “It’ll be a bumpy ride.”

“Y-yeah.”

They rode straight to Trost right after, stopping momentarily at the camp to rendezvous with the rest of the Scouts. It was a long ride back, but the details were hazy and obscured. She couldn’t remember much of the journey they shared. For the most part, it felt like a lucid dream or another one of her reveries- the ones that made her head spin, and the ones that kept her up at night.

The two things she could never forget, however, no matter how hard she tried, were the sound of his steady heartbeat as she rested her head on his back and the indescribable warmth that radiated from his body as she embraced him all throughout.

Chapter 15: An Old Tune

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The headquarters teemed with activity regardless of twilight looming at the edge of the horizon, signaling that evening was nearing, and their hectic day was finally coming to a close. The expedition coupled with the journey back had taken its toll on everyone’s physique. With sluggish movements, stifled yawns, and strained groans brought about by sore muscles or bruised limbs, everyone yearned for duly-earned rest, yet duty and obligation prevented them from availing such a privilege. True, the mission was an overall success, but there was still a great deal of trouble to iron out, matters to attend to, incidents to discuss, and arrangements to settle. Life in the military was as arduous as can be.

The last of their supply caravans arrived at the courtyard and came into view. Hoping to maximize the remaining sunlight that was sinking below the dark Walls, soldiers downstairs rushed to the wagon, barking orders amongst themselves as they began to unload the supplies and escort the evacuees it carried, towards the Garrisons and the handful of Military Police officers who were ready to tally and account for the newcomers in the district- or as they’d harshly put it as of late, ‘more mouths to feed’. Much like a hawk perched high atop its nest, Erwin oversaw the entire commotion from the window in his office, his stony, calculating eyes picking apart each detail in silence as Piper situated herself by the opposite side of the windowsill and joined him in monitoring the sea of faces beneath them.

“Is the girl you saved earlier down there?” he inquired plainly, stern eyes glued to the window and hands stiffly clasped behind his back. Leaning against the glass, Piper narrowed her eyes as she studied their faces one by one, on the lookout for Clara. It didn’t take long for her to spot Julia in the fold who was giggling as she carried Clara out of the wagon. The two of them appeared to be in much lighter spirits compared to earlier.

Good to know that they’re getting along just fine. 

“Yes,” she hummed, pressing her index finger on the glass as she tried to pinpoint their location. Erwin managed to identify precisely where it was she was pointing to, making her watch in quiet amusement as his blue eyes darted over to Julia’s previous location. “Julia just escorted her down the wagon. She’s taking her to the Garrisons now.”

“Are her parents there too?”

She managed to catch a glimpse of the two individuals shortly after she rode out of the woods when all the dispersed units briefly coalesced in the camp for the sake of monitoring who was still missing. The resemblance was striking: Clara was the spitting image of her father, so much so that the two could have been easily mistaken for twins at first glance, had it not been for their apparent age gap (and the man’s hilarious muffin top- Piper mentally chided herself for finding his abdominal pudge ‘fascinating’, at the same time hoping Levi wouldn’t turn around and notice her restrained snickering), and she had her mother’s sweet smile and doe-eyed look. All in all, there was nothing quite special about the two- on the surface, at least. Regular, normal. They blended in with the crowd, the kind of folk who rode with the flow of life, never going against it.

Just your average, unassuming countryside farmers who were neither too rich nor too poor to impact society in some form or another and leave a lasting impression. 

She envied them a little. 

Piper squinted harder as she tried to locate the two. No, not here. “They were in the earlier batch of wagons, the ones Mike made Hanji and Moblit escort when he ran into them, I believe,” she explained, peeling herself away from the window and moving to the front of the commander’s table when all that was left to unload were the recovered supplies. “Garrisons should’ve recorded them by now and transferred them to the refugee camps given their headstart from our group. I’ll leave it to them to reunite Clara with her folks.”

“‘No unnecessary heroics. Prioritize the objective’, remember?” Erwin followed after her, removing himself from his spot before leaning on the edge of the desk, drumming his fingers disapprovingly. “You ignored my instructions and disobeyed Levi’s orders- normally I’d reprimand you for insubordination and put you and Julia under disciplinary action,” he stated before pausing abruptly and releasing a sigh, “But it all came together in the end. Mike’s team made it out, and they managed to retrieve the materials and evacuate the remaining residents before you arrived. Innocent lives were spared today, and I’d like to congratulate you for this, regardless of your... reckless execution.”

“All part of the job, right?” she replied, clutching her bandaged arm as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. All part of the bloody job. “I’ll bet Levi already told you this, but it didn’t sit right with me to leave Clara to get eaten when we were more than capable of doing something.”

“You’ve changed, Butcher. ” The corners of his mouth curved upwards, and his expression softened. “It’s good to know that your time with us has been fruitful.”

I don’t know about that.

Piper blinked, shoulders drooping as she looked away and rubbed the back of her neck. “Don’t sweat it, Eyebrows. Nothing’s changed,” she responded, deflecting his compliment with a hint of sarcasm. “I could still slit your throats in your sleep and run off with the regiment funds, never to be seen again if I feel like it.”

“It’s Commander-”

Commander Eyebrows?” she scoffed, rolling her eyes. “Alright, whatever floats your boat.”

Erwin caved in and chuckled, shaking his head in resignation, “Perhaps I was wrong. Looks like that jaded attitude and sharp tongue of yours is here to stay after all.” Clearing his throat, he pulled his chair back and sat down, gathering himself as he began to peruse the daunting stacks of reports that lined his desk and selected a set of transcripts from the fold. “Take the rest of the week off, Piper. Inform Julia as well. The two of you deserve it,” he smiled, not lifting his eyes from the papers. “And, as Levi personally requested from you earlier, you’ve made it a point to visit the infirmary to have your arm checked, yes?”

“The nurse said pipsqueak did a good job of patching it up, I just have to change the dressings every few hours,” Piper reported, shooting him a sideward glance as she turned on her heel and opened the door, stopping at the entrance and ignoring the soldier that obediently awaited his turn to meet with the commander. “The arm’s going to be fine, though it might leave a scar if I happen to neglect it. Definitely wouldn’t want that now, would we?”

“Very well then. Dismissed.” 

“And listen, about my horse-”

“Ah, yes, about your horse,” Erwin cut her off with emphasis, crossing his arms. “It happens. We’ll arrange for a replacement, but I will be docking a percentage off your next pay to account for it.”

Ah, shit.

“Makes sense.”

I still have some leftover savings from the hit jobs, right?

…Right?

“And you’ll be spending three days assisting Ness in the stables after your break,” he concluded, setting the papers down to look at her directly. “He’s mentioned that the stables have been shorthanded lately, so an extra pair of hands would be appreciated. Seems fair enough, considering your horse’s death was a byproduct of your carelessness, was it not?”

“I get it.” Piper nodded in agreement and brushed past the other soldier, waving at Erwin without looking back at him before proceeding down the hallway. “I’ll be going.” 

“Try not to cause any more trouble while you’re off.”

Her exhaustion was through the roof, and it felt as though she was on the verge of collapsing and blacking out in the middle of the hall. The view from the gargantuan windows that lined the corridor was breathtaking, and took the words off her mouth, leaving her astonished as she stopped to admire the view. Light and darkness were locked in a war for dominance over the skyline, setting the sky ablaze with vicious swirls of magenta, indigo, and ruby. Bronze afternoon rays shone through the spotless, unobstructed panes with great intensity and directly into the dimmed hall, enhancing its rich, gothic ambience.

Somehow, the scenery managed to give her a kick of energy, and the urge to loiter around the headquarters soon made its way to her head and filled her train of thought. Why such a mundane view gave her a sudden burst of energy (that would have been better appreciated back in the expedition or the forest when her life actually depended on it), she didn’t exactly understand, but Piper chose not to dwell on it further and simply gave in to her subconscious’ wishes of exploring the place rather than shutting herself in her quarters and calling it a day. 

I don’t see why not, she thought to herself and shrugged, stuffing her hands inside of her pockets as she resumed her walk, no particular destination in mind. Let’s see if Erwin’s got some kind of secret stash tucked somewhere within these corridors.

I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if I decide to pocket a little golden penny or two if I happen to come across them.

There was no end to the activity downstairs, and simply watching the other soldiers jog to and fro, from one end of the courtyard to another was draining enough. Not only that, but several scouts carrying various crates and rolled-up documents that tipped and teetered in their overflowing arms whizzed past her in a hurry, throwing rushed, half-hearted apologies over their shoulders when they found themselves almost colliding onto her.

“Idiots,” she mumbled to herself, shaking her head in disdain as she stepped aside and made way for the soldiers, avoiding their clumsy figures. Watch where you’re fucking going, Erwin isn’t going anywhere, she wanted to yell back at them, but she held her tongue back and simply scowled. It wasn’t worth the energy.

Unwilling to entertain her pessimism, Piper dismissed her thoughts, mindlessly turned the corner, and entered a new corridor, welcoming another set of identical high windows and shut doors as she resumed her aimless wandering. Although she didn’t frequent this area of their base, a sense of familiarity loomed the tall ceilings of the hallway as she studied each passing door in puzzlement, on the lookout for a particular entrance as her subconscious recognized the location and eventually settled for an intended destination.

Aha, there you are.

A pleased smile weaved its way onto her face as she spotted the dark oak door with the golden plaque that read ‘Music Room’. She ambled up to it and extended her hand which hovered just above the doorknob, dithering about pressing on with her exploration. She’d been meaning to check the place out ever since she’d first set foot on the headquarters and discovered its existence, but the intention often slipped her mind, or she never found the time nor the opportunity to do so given their inflexible schedules.

Besides that, she needed some time to herself to clear her mind and gather her thoughts after everything transpired in the day, and this was just the perfect place to do so. 

Piper curled her lip and glanced around, paranoid that someone might witness her entering the room, hence jumping her from around the corner before proceeding to berate her for spending her free time doing god-knows-what rather than helping out in the courtyard. It felt as though it was illegal to be standing there at that moment, like she was trespassing private property, or meandering in a cordoned-off portion of the castle that had restricted access; another irrational thought.  

The area was open for use to everyone, soldiers and visitors alike. It was a recreational room after all, though there were certain times of the day when it would be locked. Only then would they have to notify the higher-ups if they planned to use the room in order for it to be unlocked for them, of course. Secondly, her day was technically over, and she wasn’t necessarily obligated to help out in the courtyard given the injury in her arm. But then again, I should be resting. Not roaming around like some kind of indolent, out-of-touch officer who’d managed to lose her way during a nightly patrol. 

Believing the room to be locked, she wrapped her hand around the doorknob and turned it slightly, anticipating resistance, but it turned all the way, and the clicky sound of the latchbolt retracting followed.

“Huh, it’s unlocked.” Surprised yet delighted at the discovery, Piper pushed the door open and slowly invited herself in, absorbing the contents of the room in silence.

Bingo. 

The draft coming from the hallway disturbed the film of dust that coated the furniture and instruments, launching particles in the air, irritating her sinuses, and making her sneeze as she waved her hand in front of her face and attempted to fan the dust away. The grand piano she first caught a glimpse of during their tour in what felt like eons ago was the focal point- presumably the main attraction, positioned right at the very center of the space, begging to be played as it welcomed her.

Whoever was in charge of maintaining the area was horrible at their job. It was a pitiful sight. Unfortunate. Total vibe-killer.

Oh, pipsqueak would definitely whip the sorry fucker into shape if he stumbled into this shithole right now. Hell, he might even pop a vein and suffer an aneurysm just from staring at all these horrifying clumps of dust.

"If only I knew how to play," she resentfully mused, sweeping her hand across its surface and wiping away the thick coat of dust before chummily patting its leather stool and continuing further inside. Next time, I promise.

Setting aside its slightly neglected stature, the room radiated a cozy, relaxing vibe. The bay window at the end of the room directly faced the afternoon sun, allowing golden sunlight to swallow everything inside. Shelves lined with aged, hardbound music books occupied one side of the wall, and a table with music sheets and annotated scores scattered on its surface took up the other side, along with a violin and some woodwinds. What caught her attention the most however was the guitar resting on the stand in the far corner, right next to the cushioned bench in the alcove of the bay window.

“Look what they’ve done to you,” Piper mumbled in disapproval as she collected the guitar from the stand, brows drawn together in scrutiny at the dust that clung to its wooden exterior and coated its strings. “Pitiful.”

She took a seat on the bench and propped the instrument on her lap, running a hand down its neck before inquisitively plucking one of its strings and producing an off-key note that rang in her ears. What a waste. 

Her mood turned sour, and she clicked her tongue as she unwound the pegs and detached the strings from the body, wiping at the rust and dirt that was accumulating and making them dull and stiff. “I’ll take care of you from now on,” she spoke to it whilst rewinding the strings and turning its pegs, tuning the wooden piece accordingly. “Sorry it took me a while to get here.”

You’ve probably been really lonely all this time. 

God, these people are taking you for granted. They don’t deserve to have you at all. 

“Good as new.” Restored to their former glory, the strings were smooth and sharp under her fingertips, capable of cutting uncalloused flesh if she wasn’t careful enough. She didn’t mind. Some renowned artisan out there didn’t pour his heart and soul into crafting such an elegant masterpiece just for it to be forgotten and discarded on a moldy corner, rotting away. It deserved to be out there, showcased to the world as it filled the crowded streets with its beautiful melodies and mellifluous harmonies, entrancing passersby and captivating all who were fortunate enough to listen.

It was a hazy recollection on her end, like trying to decipher the contents of a dim antique shop from a grimy window in the middle of the night, but she still had an inkling of what the strings were supposed to sound like. Relying on memory, Piper continued patiently twisting the pegs, and when she was confident that each string was emitting the proper tone, she placed her fingers on one of the frets, hesitant to play at first. 

Do I still have it in me?

“It can’t be that bad,” she scooted back onto the bench and pressed her back against the window, glancing at her fingers and reassuring herself. “Papa taught you well.”

Here goes nothing.

Her fingers twitched and moved with grace against the strings, recalling a familiar pattern as a soft, old tune echoed in the quiet air. The lyrics came flowing back to Piper, dug up from the recesses of her thoughts as she closed her eyes and opened her mouth, letting them spill into empty space. 

By tomorrow we'll be swimming with the fishes,

Leave our troubles in the sand. 

She breathed a heavy sigh then smiled. It had been far too long since she last sang and picked up the acoustic instrument. She missed this warm feeling that accompanied the guitar every time she played. She remembered Harry and all the times they sat together in their decrepit shack in the Underground when they weren’t dabbling in abhorrent crimes and illegal schemes for their age, playfully swinging their legs under their seats whilst singing the same lyrics and plucking the same strings like innocent children they longed but never got the chance to be. 

And when the sun comes up,

We'll be nothing but dust,

Just the outlines of our hands.

Piper grimaced. The focus of her thoughts shifted rather abruptly from reminiscing about Harry to dwelling on Levi. Him, of all people. Her heart fluttered as she remembered his face, inches away from hers, troubled and concerned; the warmth from his hands- so gentle and soft, caressing hers and unwilling to let go, and how bare her hand felt when he finally did.

By tomorrow we'll be lost amongst the leaves,

In a wind that chills the skeletons of trees,

And when the moon, it shines, I will leave two lines,

Just find my love, then find me.

Her head resting on his shoulder, the fragile words he muttered to her in that forest, his steady, yet racing heartbeat which she listened to as they rode back- ah, it plagued her head and introduced a new meaning to the nostalgic song. Stop it, she mentally scolded herself, frightful of the implication. Enough. She could feel her cheeks warming up as well, refusing to entertain the intrusive train of thought, but her mind was stubborn. Her bottom lip began to quiver.  

But don't bring tomorrow.

‘Cause I already know,

I'll lose you.

“Figured I’d find you here,” the door creaked open as Julia stepped in and leaned against the jamb, arms crossed. Amused, she tilted her head and strutted inside, stopping beside the piano and demonstrating a melancholic smile. “Been a while since I heard that song.” 

Piper lifted her eyes from the guitar and acknowledged her with a light shrug. “What brings you here?” she asked, maintaining the slow melody. 

“That voice of yours.” Julia cheekily replied, sitting down on the stool before lifting the piano’s lid and pressing an ivory key out of sheer curiosity. She then raised a perplexed brow and pointed at Piper’s arm, “Should you even be playing the guitar with a busted arm like that?” 

Oh, come on. How many times do I have to answer that question today? Five? Ten? Fifteen?

One hundred?

“The arm’s fine, believe me. It’s a minor scratch. The people in the infirmary overreacted and blew it out of proportion.”

“But it didn’t seem like a minor scratch earlier-”

“I’m fine, Julia.

“Alright, alright. Whatever you say. It’s your arm after all.” Julia waved her hand in surrender and pouted in a puckish manner, innocently batting her eyelashes. “I was just thinking about how worried our wonderful, reliable, and so-caring-it’s-making-me-puke-and-swoon-at-the-same-time captain would be for you, you know? Like, how would he react right now if he saw you playing around like this instead of- oh, I don’t know- resting?” 

Piper lowered her head and fought back a chuckle as she patted the bench, beckoning the copper-haired girl to come and take a seat beside her. “Fuck off.”

“Which reminds me… you never really talked about what went down when you attended that party with Levi.”

“Mutual agreement.”

Oh? What’s that supposed to mean?” Julia trailed, flashing Piper a suggestive smile as she impishly wiggled her eyebrows and plopped onto the bench, making her grunt in annoyance.

“Don’t ‘Oh?’ me,” Piper scowled, looking away when she felt her blush deepen. “And it means mind your fucking business.”

“It’s just that you guys have been spending more time together, and you seem to get along much better since that day too, as if you share some kind of unspoken bond.” She brought a gentle hand to the back of Piper’s head and pulled the tie that held her half braid, running her fingers through the loose weaves and making them come undone. “Very wholesome and unexpected from both of you, if you’ll ask me.”

“Maybe there is, maybe there isn’t,” Piper tilted her head and turned back, permitting Julia to work on her hair. The braid was hardly holding up, to begin with. Might as well work your hair witchcraft on me again. “Who knows at this point.”

“Are you two…”

“Don’t you dare complete that sentence and imply what I think you’re implying. I will cut you down.”

He’s just a friend, and you’re just his friend.

That’s all there is to it. 

“Alright, alright. I know better than to rile you up, especially after a long day of work.” She gathered the flaxen tufts and wove them over each other, leaving the shorter strands to hang freely on the sides of Piper’s face. “But let me tell you just this one thing: you can’t run away from your feelings forever, Piper. That’s just not how life works.”

“I’m not running away from anything.”

Liar.

“I’ve known you for nineteen years, idiot. I can tell when you’re shutting everyone out and retreating behind those stupid walls you’ve built around yourself for god-knows-why.” Satisfied, Julia secured the braid with the hair tie and clasped Piper’s shoulder, emerald irises shimmering with encouragement under the afternoon sunlight. “Live a little.”

“Did you seriously come here to pester me as they all do?”

“No, I came here because I heard you singing that old tune, and I missed that angelic voice of yours. Now come on, play it again.”

“You’re such a nuisance.” Piper scoffed, smiling softly as she shook her head and began strumming at the strings of the guitar once more. 

Don't bring tomorrow.

‘Cause I already know. 

I'll lose…

Lose you.

Such a bittersweet song. It’s why she was so drawn to it. So beautiful and cathartic, yet painfully haunting. She resonated a little too well with its lyrics. Over and over, no matter the place or the circumstance she found herself entangled in, in the very end, they would always leave her. Alone, broken, and a hollowed-out husk of her former self. 

Her father, her mother, Harry, Aidan. It was just a matter of time before Julia would leave too.

Even Levi. 

The light from under the door shifted ever so faintly as the floorboards outside the room gave the tiniest creak. Piper’s ears perked at the sound, and so she halted her strumming at once and shot up from her seat, agitatedly shoving the guitar towards Julia who emitted a disgruntled ‘Oof!’ as she briskly marched towards the door.

Fucking eavesdropper.

“Woah, Pipes!” Julia aired in confusion, carefully putting the guitar down before going after Piper. “What’s wrong?”

“Someone was eavesdropping on us.” Piper grabbed the knob and yanked the door open, ready to confront their unwanted guest. “Piece of shit.”

“Come on, they were probably just admiring your voice.”

“Don’t care.” Piper poked her head out and scanned the hallway, searching for the intrusive individual, but to no avail. Whoever the hell they were, they were quick to react and flee the scene, avoiding capture. Sneaky bastard.

She clicked her tongue and gripped the door in frustration, catching a fleeting glimpse of an arm and a leg as they rounded the farthest corner in the corridor and disappeared.

Her stomach dropped. It was the corner she came from earlier, the one that led straight to the hallway where Erwin’s office and the rest of the upper chain of command were situated. 

“Who do you think it was?” Julia wondered, looking at Piper as she stood beside her, contemplating the possibilities. “Another secret admirer, perhaps? Or maaaaybe-”

Perish the thought.

“I don’t know,” Piper exhaled, placing a hand on her hip and knitting her brows, deep in thought. “I don’t know.”

Notes:

Tomorrow- Daughter

One of my all-time favorite songs from a pretty underrated band. Seriously, instead of replaying the same bubblegum pop over and over until your eardrums burst and your car radio spontaneously combusts while you're driving in the freeway because it couldn't handle playing the same copy-pasted tempo, back to back in succession (why yes, I'm looking at YOU, local radio station. Seriously, add some variety to your daily mixes. No wonder people don't bother with the radio nowadays), they should really invest in playing more tracks from Daughter. Something about their raw acoustics and minimalist production is just- wheeew. But then again, I'm no music major, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about... and I went on a tangent on this note.

Anyhow, I love this song *points gun at your forehead* and you should too - kidding. Just kidding. I just had to find a way to incorporate it in some form or another into the fic, just because.

Have a great day, and see you whenever.

Chapter 16: Snowfall

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

I must’ve left the window open again.

Sunlight stripped of its balmy, incandescent glow poured into the motionless setting, and the sheer curtains hanging by the window shimmered in the morning light, emitting a dreamy luminance. They fluttered with the cold breeze that whispered in Piper’s ears and fanned her cheeks, waking her. Her eyelids, leaden with lingering sleep, struggled to open, and a miserable groan escaped her lips as she turned and lay on her back, burrowing deep into the covers that bundled her body.

Early morning sun, it’s pleasant for once.

She tilted her head and kept her eyes closed, listening to the flitter of the fabrics and permitting herself to remain sprawled on the bed for a little longer. Five more minutes, she drawled in her head, basking and observing the sunshine from under her lids. Five more minutes…

Unusual silence hung in the air. The morning racket of heavy footsteps shuffling down the corridor in haste, bedroom doors slamming shut, and the fervent and rhythmic pounding of battered knuckles against locked doors was nowhere to be heard.

Piper languorously forced her eyes open and waited for her vision to uncloud and focus as she gazed at the beams of her ceiling, pondering the likely reasons for the missing clamor. She then transferred her gaze towards her door and frowned. At this time of the day, Hanji would have stormed into the room and thrown the door open in a way that would have nearly torn it from its tortured hinges before bellowing “Rise and shine, Pipes! No time for grumpy sleepyheads today!” at the top of her lungs.

So far, Hanji’s wake-up calls haven’t failed to startle her out of bed. Piper had to give credit where credit was due; being the antithesis to optimistic morning people, the extra ‘kick’ was very much required, though it came with a few repercussions. It was nerve-racking: it always seemed like she was waking up to an emergency, or bombs were falling from the sky, and they had to seek shelter at once. That, and she was positive that Hanji’s raucous ritual was sure to trigger a heart attack somewhere down the line.

I guess today’s a slow day. 

Piper unwrapped the covers that snugly surrounded her, save for one she kept draped over her shoulders as she sat upright and yawned before swinging her legs off the bed, bare feet hitting the frigid, hardwood floorboards and making her flinch in surprise. 

Or maybe not.

She furrowed her brows and bent down to retrieve her boots, perplexed. “It’s freezing.” she murmured, slipping them on and tying their laces before darting her eyes towards the window, doing a double-take upon spotting the mist that rolled into the confined space.

Realization dawned on her, so she shuffled to the window and drew the curtains back in haste, unveiling the surreal sight she’d long been waiting for.

“No fucking way.”

An overnight miracle had occurred- or was occurring. The faded brick and cobblestone of the courtyard, along with the umber dirt patches of the training grounds were nowhere to be found, replaced by a vast snowscape. Light grey clouds blanketed the sky and concealed the sun as feathery speckles of ice descended from the silver-clad heavens. The snow lay thick and undisturbed, not a single footprint or sliver of movement in sight to shatter its flawless surface. 

Winter. Her favorite time of the year, and the season she cherished the most. She had waited all year for this as this was her first winter aboveground in many years. It was such a wonderful sight to behold, one that she missed so terribly. Her last genuine winter had occurred so long ago that the memory felt like a distant dream or an elaborate fantasy she developed in her imagination as a child in hopes of coping with the sordid living conditions in the Underground.

How old was I? Eight? Nine?  Piper couldn’t help but smile in fascination as she poked her hand out of the window. That’s unfortunate. I can’t even remember my last winter spent out here. She gave a rueful chuckle, examining the flecks that landed on her palm with quiet admiration and relishing the numbing effect they brought with them. Each minuscule fragment donned an intricate pattern unique to itself, and she did her best to retain them in her head before they succumbed to the heat of her palm and melted into cool water drops.

Like a lightbulb magically manifesting at the top of her head, an idea crossed her mind, amplifying her excitement and enabling the simper on her face to grow, just like a kid that was experiencing the joys and wonders of winter for the very first time. The powdery ground called to her as if chanting ‘Come out and play!’ the longer she stared outside.

Can’t call it a perfect winter day if you don’t build a snowman or two.

Besides, HQ could use a frosty mascot right over there, smack-dab in the center of the field for all kinds of jaded folk to see.

Resolute, Piper clenched her hand into a fist and whipped around, shutting the window and eagerly slapping her cheeks. She threw on her day clothes and buttoned on a thicker black vest before briskly exiting the room, driven to execute her infallible plan.

The corridors were bizarrely empty. Nearly every room was shut tight and showed no sign of housing an inhabitant, but the suspicions that bounced in her mind were put to rest upon passing the corridor that connected to the mess hall. She took note of the smoke exiting the chimney, and the light from its fogged windows occasionally disrupted by a passing silhouette. Hushed laughter and the clinking of glasses erupted from within, making Piper stop in her tracks as she tuned in to the muffled sounds and snuck a look at the clock and the calendar hammered to the wall, fixating on the encircled date and the short description scribbled on the date box. 

Eleven o’clock. Overslept again.  

And how dare you forget the start of your long-awaited holiday break. Shame on you, Piper. You’ve committed yet another vile and atrocious crime against humanity. 

“No wonder,” she reflected, raising an unimpressed brow and turning her head to the side, entertained by the persisting guffaws. “Guess they’re all cooped up inside to stay warm.”

Though the glow and the chatter that resonated from the hall was inviting and amicable in nature, she wasn’t interested in discovering who resided within, let alone join them in their merrymaking; the weather trumped everything else and held her full, undivided attention. Furthermore, Piper wasn’t open to the idea of others encountering her beaming and animatedly strolling the corridor as if she had been subjected to Hanji’s experiments where the two of them had somehow managed to pull the outstanding feat of swapping bodies for a day, just for the sake of it.

Not only was it considered to be a highly improbable occurrence, but it was a jarring and wholly unbecoming sight that was sure to make heads turn, hence making her the topic of interest among circulating rumors and senseless dialogues of fellow soldiers who had nothing better to do for days. 

I’ll pass, thank you very much. Let some other unfortunate bozo hog the invisible cone of shame.

Conscious of her image, Piper stiffened her shoulders and kept her head down as she slipped past the mess hall’s entrance and entered the main corridor, hoping that no one had spotted her skulking around the corners like a professional thief navigating a labyrinth, in search of priceless treasures to seize for themselves.

Like the rest of the base, the foyer was stripped of its everyday occupants. The chandeliers were lit to the brim, and the velvet drapes covered the high windows, baking the ground floor in oversaturated yellow and concentrating the heat in the area; a fireplace even crackled in the corner and spewed embers, but no one was around to appreciate the circulating warmth. The leather couches were deserted, the coffee table books untouched, and the flames burned for no one in particular until she entered, though she wasn’t planning on staying long.

The tread of her boots on freshly-polished floorboards bounced through the lofty walls of the empty foyer as Piper sauntered to the bulky doors. She took a deep breath and heaved them open, welcoming a blast of dry, chilly air that nipped her cheeks. 

She stepped outside and descended the steps, mouth agape as she processed the idyllic setting: a bleak palette of white, silver, and pearl cast upon a void, bereft of any other lifeform apart from her. The snowflakes seemingly danced their graceful waltz and fell from the sky in slow motion, enchanting her. Ethereal, pure- she couldn’t find the fitting words to describe the wistful atmosphere winter brought. 

Puffs of smoke accompanied Piper’s every exhale as she quietly trudged to the center of the field, leaving behind a ribbon of dark footprints that ruined the perfect landscape. She listened to the ice crunching under her boots and the bitter, wintry air that churned a mellow howl in her ears.

This really is happening. Childish as it may be, Piper craned her neck to the sky and stuck her tongue out, emitting carefree giggles as she licked and tasted the speckles. Nothing special about their taste, of course, although its natural, subtle flavor reminded her of jarred water left in a secluded, moist shelf for too long, or a soaked mop that hadn’t dried properly due to the lack of proper sunshine. Whatever, you get the point. Pretty snowflakes taste like shitty water. 

But, let’s be realistic here- it’d be pretty concerning if fresh snow tasted like anything but funky tap water. 

She scoffed at the outrageous mental analogy with her tongue still sticking out, enjoying the blistery sensation that grazed its tip as the particles melted upon contact. With foolish awe and curiosity satisfied, she shifted her focus back to the land and knelt, burying bare hands deep into the bed of snow while battling the gnawing urge to shiver in consecutive bursts as her teeth chattered involuntarily. 

Should’ve grabbed some damn mittens before heading out, you fool. 

“Whatever, it’s too late for that now.” Piper momentarily lifted her hands from the pile, staring fondly at her slender fingers that had turned a luminous red. She held them against her cheeks and scrunched her nose before scooping a handful of ice, patting it into a firm sphere roughly the size of a head. “I’ve endured worse scenarios than this. A little frostnip’s nothing.”

Grunting and huffing, she kept at it for several minutes, determined to bring her silly dreams to fruition as she rolled the ball around and developed its mass. Piper overestimated her abilities, cocky and naive in believing that she’d finish the job without so much as breaking a sweat. Toddlers pulled the feat off with their eyes closed, so why couldn’t she? Besides, a fucking toddler besting a full-grown adult in a casual activity that involved the most basic use of the five senses simply spelled incompetency at a whole new level. Anyone would be ashamed.

Well… I was wrong. Never underestimate the stubbornness of harmless snowflakes. Tiny bastards won’t throw me a bone and cooperate with me.  

Packing the ice into an even, sturdy mass was deceivingly harder than it looked. That, and preventing said ball of ice from crumbling and falling apart at the seams as it grew was frustrating. Unfortunately for Piper- and as embarrassing as it was for her to realize and come to terms with it- her snowman-building skills had gone down the drain. 

“Seriously,” she testily grumbled while stacking the imperfect balls on top of each other, frozen hands guarding their smoothened-down sides as she prayed that their structures would hold. “How do the kids do it so well?” Slowly and steadily, she removed her hands, anxiously hitching her breath when the sculpture gave a minor sway before settling down, albeit leaning towards the side to a certain degree. Elated, Piper punched the air and giggled proudly before moving on. 

Ha! Beat that, snow. I win.

After managing to successfully put together the second stack at half the time it took during her first attempt, she gathered a variety of stones and snapped naked branches from the nearby garden, carefully sticking the found items into the uneven spheres to form their eyes, mouths, hands and coat buttons. 

“I hereby dub thee Sir Harry Junior,” Piper proclaimed in a nasal voice, mimicking the gaudy poshness of court announcers in Mitras as she stuck her chin in the air to better project their laughable sense of superiority and did a curtsey. Harry Jr.’s head then tilted awkwardly to the side as if acknowledging her declaration. Pleased, she moved to the second pillar and thoughtfully stroked her chin, “And you shall be known as Aidan the… uh… the…”

“Fuck it,” Piper scowled in exasperation, throwing her hands and dispersing a handful of snow up in the air before laughing, ditching the impersonation. “Aidan Junior. How do you do, fine gentle snowmen?”

She viewed the two sloping forms with a curled lip. Something’s missing, she thought as their beady, soulless eyes bore into her sunken, hazel ones in silence.

“Carrot,” Piper blurted out, eyes snapping to the spot where their orange noses should have been. “Right. You guys don’t have noses.”

I can’t sneak into the mess hall right now to snatch some carrots- not with those people inside. Definitely not in the mood to get roped into their miniature Christmas party or whatever.

“Well, I guess you guys are just gonna have to exist as noseless- or carrotless- snowmen for now.” Piper ran a hand through her hair, amused by the ludicrosity of her current actions. “What am I doing conversing with you two clumps of ice like you’re actual people?”

God, it’s so lonely out here.

“I could really use some company, you know.” She collapsed in front of the two figures and sighed, smile vanishing and eyes downcast. Paltry, temporary happiness wore off, and the all-too-familiar melancholy returned to haunt her like a restless ghost of the past. Looking up to their crooked faces, she pulled her knees to her chest and dragged her finger across the snow, etching four stick figures. “I really miss you guys.”

“You would’ve loved winter, Harry- you too, Aidan.” Lying down, Piper stretched her legs and allowed the snow to cushion her body as she kept her eyes trained to the sky, watching the descending flakes. “It’s beautiful and so peaceful. A sea of white and grey as thick fog settles in the distance- it doesn’t feel or seem real. It’s hard to explain, but it’s like you’re experiencing happiness and sadness at the same time. And the cold tickles.” 

“I wish you guys were here.”

She kept still and closed her eyes, focusing on the tranquil silence that enveloped the area and the tingling sensation of the persisting flakes that landed on her face. Nothing moved for a while, though as always, company was inevitable.

The snow crunched soothingly as another pair of footsteps strode across the barren field, gradually approaching her spot. She ignored the newfound presence at first until the steps ceased beside her, and their silhouette obscured the light.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Piper opened her eyes and welcomed the sight of Levi staring down at her with a questioning look as he kept his hands stuffed in his pockets. Clad in a long wool trench coat that perfectly matched the inkiness of his hair, he was a jet-black splotch pencilled into the pearly backdrop, tipping the harmony that was established in the dreamy snowscape. 

It suited him though. Dark and mysterious, he reminded her of the many iterations of the Grim Reaper, specifically the romanticized version of the famous soul-snatcher commonly found in children’s bedtime tales or crappy, off-brand teen serials. 

A harbinger of death with a softer aura that had just about a million or so layers to it, and an expressive set of cobalt eyes contained within a simultaneously pleasant and cutting visage which she couldn’t deny was pretty fucking attractive; the sub-zero temperature even gave the tip of his nose and his cheeks a rosy hue. It added to the charm.

Piper, hey, Piper. Do yourself a stupid little favor and stop gawking at him like a deprived fangirl. Come on, you’re better than this.

“Enjoying the snow,” Piper responded, still lying down. “What do you think I’m doing?”

“Tch. What are you, a child?”

“Child at heart, yeah.” She took note of the color of his boots and continued to study his appearance. It didn’t look like he was wearing his uniform underneath the coat, despite his cravat sticking out from its collar. Guess he’s taking some time off too.

“Piper, get out of there. You’re going to get sick.” Seeing that she showed no inclination of moving whatsoever, Levi shook his head disapprovingly and knelt down before taking his hands out of his pockets, revealing a neatly folded cloak which he spread on top of her. “You’re not even wearing a proper coat.”

Piper looked at it, suspicious. Either this is my cloak, or we both happen to have the same piece of fabric swimming in our closet. That would be tragic. Noticing the stitched tatter on its corner, therefore confirming that the garb was indeed hers and not an identical one he stumbled into by coincidence, she shot up from her spot and flashed Levi an accusing glare, only to provide him with the opening to wrap the article of clothing around her himself. 

Oh, you sly little...

“Why do you have my cloak?” she inquired, irritably looking down at his hands that were busy fastening the cloak around her neck. “Or better yet, why did you enter my room? I left this hanging on my chair.”

Levi gave the cloth a tug, ensuring that it was secure. “You left the door open,” he answered, pulling its hood over her head, laconic as ever. “And I could see you from my window.”

“You were watching me?”

“You’re an eyesore.”

Ouch.

“Creep.” Piper sneered, crossing her arms and plopping down on the ground, snuggling into the woolly fabric and furtively watching him from the corner of her eye as she pretended to divert her attention to the skyline. He took notice however and met her gaze with a tired exhale before shifting towards the direction of the icy mascots, eyes narrowed into ridicule as if he were staring down a disgusting bug squashed under his sole. 

Levi scoffed, critiquing their shoddy craftsmanship as he clicked his tongue and trudged over to Harry Jr. with a firm grimace etched on his face. He nudged the base of the bloated snowman with his foot, chipping a portion off and triggering its tipping head to lean even further as the sculpture slumped in on itself.

“Hey!” Piper growled, shooting daggers at him as she hurriedly scampered up and supported Harry Jr., unimpressed. “Knock it off. What did you do that for?”

You ruined a perfectly fine snowman, midget.

“Your shithead of a snowman’s missing a nose.” he deadpanned, inserting his finger in the center of its colorless face, unamused.

“Yeah, well, I’m not an all-seeing vegetable merchant.”

“The hell does that have to do with anything?”

“Do I look like I have a carrot or two on me?” Piper snapped, rolling her eyes as she moved his hand away before realigning the snowman’s head. “And does it look like there’s a carrot or two magically laying around for me to stab into good Harry Junior’s stunning face?”

“Brunswick, it’s a fucking snowman.”

“A stunning snowman that, by the way, was minding its business, which you unlawfully interrupted.”

“Fuck’s sake- here.” Grumbling temperamental swears to himself, Levi shoved his hands down his pockets and fished two carrots out, making Piper bury her face in the crook of her elbow as she stared in disbelief and contained a fit of laughter at the unexpected peace offering. He stuck each of the vegetables onto the spheres, taking care not to dislodge their crumbly forms any further before patting the top of their domes in a rather brotherly way. The contemptuous sneer he projected towards them earlier had vanished, his regular, impassive expression taking its place, and Piper caught the faint glint of amusement in his eyes; he had taken a bit of a liking to her frost buddies. “You can thank me later.” 

How deep are those coat pockets, short stack? What other funky, unconventional items do you have stored in there? Knives? Cleaning solutions? A titan?

“How did you know that I needed carrots?” she inquired genuinely as he turned his back on her and brushed the flakes that hitched a free ride on his broad shoulders. “Do you always carry a carrot around on your person? Is it a guilty snack? It is a guilty snack, isn’t it?”

The captain turned around and shook his head before joining her in sitting on the ground, “Like I said, I could see you frolicking around the snow like a goddamn lunatic from my window.” He took a pinch of the chalky grains and rubbed them between the pads of his thumb and index finger, inspecting their texture with pleasantly-raised brows. “It doesn’t take much to put two and two together.”

“Alibis, alibis,” Piper dismissed monotonously with a sideward glance, in the mood to incite a testy exchange of jabby wisecracks with him as she leaned against Aidan Jr. and clicked her tongue in faux disappointment, like an uptight tutor admonishing a ne'er-do-well tutee. “Just say that you secretly love carrots. I won’t judge.”

“You’re a piece of shit, imp.”

“Nothing new about that.” She peered at him from under her hood and shrugged before pulling the fabric higher, covering the lower half of her face to preserve what little heat she had at her disposal. Suppressing a shiver, she toyed with the loose thread of the cloak and repeatedly curled the fuzzy string around her finger, regretful of not donning thicker vestments as she glanced at Levi’s coat with slight jealousy. 

“This cloak of yours,” he said all of a sudden and lifted the tattered corner she’d been fidgeting, a blank, unreadable expression settling on his face as he lingered on the lousy stitchings that were barely holding together. “Where’d you get it?”

“What’s it matter to you?” Piper wondered, tilting her head in puzzlement at the bizarre inquiry that sprouted out of nowhere. She tried to tug back the corner, only for him to yank in retaliation, making her stumble closer.

“Just answer the question,” Levi bluntly insisted, scowling. He had a distant, far-off look in his eyes as he continued to stare intently at the cloak; she’d seen that intense, foreign glimmer before, and it never failed to induce that constant incomprehensible sense of recognition and intrigue. That penetrating gaze tripped countless imaginary alarms, the choir of sirens and bells ringing in distress as the gears in her head jammed, struggling to identify precisely what about those cryptic, dark pools seemed so eerily familiar. “Where did you get this?”

“I borrowed it.”

“You borrowed it?”

“Yes, I borrowed it.”

“You stole it,” he corrected, cocking a disapproving brow as he pressed on with the peculiar investigation. “You stole this from someone, is what you mean.”

“...”

“Whom did you steal this from?”

Really, midget?

“Goddamn, Levi, hell if I know,” Piper scoffed incredulously and crossed her arms, agitated. “Snatched it off some irrelevant rando- I dunno. I’ve stolen from a hundred people. I can’t remember all their faces.”

“Tch.”

“What are you ‘tch’ ing me for, short stack?” Fed up, Piper leaned forward and met his gaze, adamant in determining what brought about the frustratingly insignificant bout. “I genuinely don’t remember. I swear.”

“You swear?”

“I swear to these two snowmen named after my dead cohorts in crime.” She reached over and jabbed the carrots that were on the verge of falling off, pushing them back, “What’s the big deal with this garbage of a cloak, anyway? Owned something similar in the past?”

“Forget it,” Levi sighed, clasping a hand on her shoulder as he released the corner he’d been fiddling with and readjusted her cloak, making certain that it layered properly and fully covered her shoulders to protect her from the biting cold. “Just forget about this. Forget that I asked.”

“You’re acting really fucking weird today. You alright?”

“Take care of your shit, Brunswick,” he insipidly flicked a piece of snow at Piper’s face, causing her to recoil in shock as they stuck to her cheeks and melted, immediately trickling down to splash onto the thinning wool nestled loosely below her chin. His surly expression eased into a more relaxed look as the corner of his mouth curved to form a smirk in response to her reaction. “Your cloak’s falling apart. That’s all I’m trying to say.”

Unconstrained smugness oozed from him and practically screamed ‘I got you’ with hidden mischief she hadn’t dared to associate with him- that’s more of a me thing. Don’t steal my brand, midget. I’ll lose my charming individuality. She continued to dumbly observe his reaction, the onset of a blush taunting the sides of her face as her subconscious burned the rare image of him demonstrating a smile into the back of her brain. 

The air of nonchalance she’d been trying so hard to sell to Levi since he joined her in the field, like a desperate merchant emptying their inventory to graze the daily quota of sales and keep their head afloat, waned and fizzled out as the effectiveness of the guise wore off. Giving in, Piper cracked a smile and stood up as she shook off the remaining specks that dusted her hair, grateful for the deed which helped her remember that one other thing she’d wanted to do out in the snow now that he was around to keep her company. 

Bring on the snowball fight. 

“Where are you going?” Levi probed, tailing after Piper who strolled farther into the field and distanced herself from the snowmen, unwilling to get them caught in the violent crossfire that was about to ensue. He mirrored her moves robotically and knelt down when she did, curious yet skeptical of her new intentions as she carried on with her business and raked the snow together. “Piper, what the hell-”

“Just stay where you are, and trust me,” she took his hand and placed a snowball on it before dusting her pants and leaving the heap she collected for him, haphazardly etching a borderline on the ground and hopping to the opposing side afterwards. “Let’s get loose for a change.”

He glanced at the ball on his palm then looked at her, drawn by the uncharacteristic behavior she maintained, “...You’re smiling.”

“Weird, right?” Piper giggled, in the midst of packing another ball together. “I think I’ve lost my mind,” she squinted an eye and targeted him as she pretended to throw it, in an attempt to egg him on. “I know I look stupid.”

“You should smile more often,” Levi said, accompanying his words with a sincere hum and an approving nod. “It suits you.”

“Is that an order?”

“Just a suggestion.”

“I’ll think about it.” With a waggish, lopsided grin, she hurled the snowball at his face and watched in sheer bliss as it shattered on impact and blinded him, causing him to stagger and fall into the pile behind him. Piper laughed and scrambled from her position in a fit of hysterics, preparing a second projectile while he stood up and wiped the ice that struck him, coughing. “I take it you’re good? Or should I go a little easy on you?”

“You’re going to fucking pay for that, brat.” Levi spat, shaking off the bits that clung to his dark hair with a dour, seething glare as he arranged his arsenal of snowballs, hungry for retaliation. 

“Now that’s a nickname I haven’t heard in a while!” Piper’s eyes widened in shock when a snowball whizzed past her ear, sending an exhilarated shiver down her spine. Grabbing her shoulder and circling her arm to increase momentum, she aimed the second ball and threw, hissing in triumph when it caught its target and landed smack on his chest. 

“Piper, two! Levi, zero!” she hollered, hindering him from gathering himself as she tossed her final shot, showering his head with a flurry of snow that scattered all over and gradually drenched him. “Your aim’s shit!”

The friendly competition escalated into a full-blown sparring session, albeit an informal and frosty one as they waged war on each other; neither displayed the intent to surrender. Someone was going to walk back to the headquarters with the title of ‘Snowball Champion’ under their belt like the heftiest piece of gold to be recorded in history, and they were hellbent on obtaining that imaginary accolade, even if it held no value outside of their juvenile game. Bragging rights and a boosted ego upon knowing that they managed to best the other was more than enough to fuel their drive. Besides, the achievement would make for a great tale during parties or gatherings. 

‘I bested the Butcher of Mitras in a snowball fight.’ Or perhaps, ‘I made the famous Captain Levi eat a mouthful of snow like it’s nothing. You should’ve seen his face!’

Quite the glorious tale, indeed. 

You are so going down, midget. I’m the queen of this hill.

Levi switched to the offense and abandoned the rest of his snowballs, chucking them to the side with a growl as he lunged with the full force of his weight behind his thrust and tackled Piper’s waist, driving her to the ground.

“This is cheating!” Piper grunted, clawing for his collar as they tumbled around the snow-clad terrain in the struggle to climb on top and restrain the other into submission. “Dammit, midget! It’s a snowball fight, not a fistfight!” 

Disoriented, she tried to wrap her legs around his hips and use his upper weight to flip herself over and throw him down, only for him to ram his knee against her thigh, blocking her from latching on as he allowed their thrashing figures to reel once more before straddling her legs, pinning her down.

“I win.” Levi mumbled in a low and raspy voice, leaning closer and panting heavily. He was so close that she could smell his scent; an elegant, alluring blend of fresh linen, leather, and black tea. Their faces were inches apart- no, mere centimeters away, and it seemed as if he were drawing even closer. The tension that broiled was tantalizing. Piper's heart pounded violently in her chest, and her throat ran dry as she held his gaze and observed the captivating Angelite specks dancing in his slate irises as a dark storm brewed within them. 

The temptation was there. All she had to do was lift her head by the slightest inch, or give his collar a single tug, and everything would come unraveling.

“Get… off!” Piper tore her eyes from his and dug her hand in the ground, throwing a patch of snow at Levi and smothering his face with it. Subsequently, she grabbed his collar and proceeded with the disarming move, flipping over and reversing their positions.

“Jumped the gun, short stack,” she smirked, freeing him and ironing the wrinkles that formed on his collar and cravat. “I win.”

She rolled on her back and lay beside him, stretching her limbs to form a snow angel and catching her breath as they settled down from their tussle. Pale sunlight glimmered daintily on the snowfall that enshrouded their surroundings, and the quietude returned as they lounged on the snow and watched the sky. 

“I let you win,” Levi grumpily huffed, rotating his head to look at her. “It doesn’t count.”

“Yeah right,” Piper lowered her hood and propped her head up on an elbow as she poked his cheek, astonished by its warmness. “You know very well that I won that round by a great margin.”

“Fuck’s sake, Piper, your hand’s colder than the snow.”

“And you’re a walking furnace,” she shot back, knitting her brows together in bewilderment. “Seriously, how are your cheeks this warm amidst the cold?” Intrigued, she gave it another poke then chuckled as he scoffed, mildly irritated. “Squishy too.”

Levi snatched her hands just as she was about to retract them, making her cusp his face as he lifted his head from the ground. “Go buy yourself some mittens,” he said through squished cheeks, eventually letting go. “You’re freezing.”

“I’ll just steal a pair.”

“You’re hopeless.”

“No shit.”

Heaving a sigh, the captain stood up and spared a glance towards the two snowmen resting across the field while he extended his hand to Piper. “Let’s head back inside,” he stated, helping her up before turning and heading back to the direction of the main entrance, rigidity, and bluntness returning. “There’s going to be a small party tonight. Four-eyes and the others are busy preparing.”

Great. Another stuffy party. 

Piper trod behind Levi, matching his footprints and tracing the new steps he imprinted on the land. The overspread clouds dimmed, and the snowfall intensified, morphing into a flurry as bigger chunks of snow pelted down. She smiled softly at the ice accumulating rapidly, with Levi’s inky figure already growing hazy even though he was only a few paces ahead.

“Hey, Levi?”

He paused on his tracks, back still facing her, and only turned his head slightly. “What?”

“Thanks again,” she mumbled, catching up to him to look him in the eye. “I had fun.”

“Don’t mention it, imp.”

Notes:

Hello! Midterms is just around the corner :'-) please send immediate assistance, I am dying

Because dreadful midterms are fast approaching, the following chapters might get delayed. BUT I'll still try my best to publish ASAP and conform to the schedule (or perhaps even earlier if I'm blessed with a miracle).

That's all!