Actions

Work Header

Welcome Home

Chapter 3: Wilford

Summary:

While searching for a old friend Dark meets someone oh so familiar

Chapter Text

Dark glanced around at the brightly lit bar as he stepped in, the sound of the music vibrating under his feet. The Jims had gotten some information from...somewhere that someone matching William’s description was often seen at this bar, and Dark knew he had to follow the lead. It had been a little over 30 years since he had seen the colonel, and his last memory of him was the man running from the manor, crying out for the twins with a broken heart and mind.

Dark shook off the thought, glancing around the room filled with pulsing lights and moving people. He wasn’t surprised this was a place William frequented, he was always one for excitement. Dark made his way over to the bar and sat down. He declined the offer of a drink from the bartender, just scanning the room in search of that familiar face.

He stayed in that spot for a few hours, eventually accepting a glass of water and sipping from it. He was about to give up for the night when the lights dimmed and focused on one part of the room. Dark looked over in confusion, wondering what the hell was going on.

He climbed out of his seat, walking over towards that area. He spotted a raised stage, the lights blinking out for a moment while a group of people walked on stage. The lights flared back on, bright pink this time, and his eyes widened as he recognized the man in the middle.

Despite the bubblegum pink afro, slightly pink-tinted mustache, and the change of clothes, Dark instantly knew it was William. He watched as William started to dance on the stage, a large smile lighting up the ex-colonel’s face. His mustache seemed to almost curl slightly with that big grin.

Dark watched the ‘show’ in shock and amazement, having to shake himself out of it once it finished. He quickly made his way through the crowd towards William, weaving his way through it before grabbing his sleeve to stop him. “William?” Dark questioned, looking up at the taller male.

The man in question looked at him with a confused look "William? Well, I don't see a William here". He spoke with a slightly slurred voice, seemingly from an accent rather than drunkenness. Dark was confused. This was William, he knew it was. So why….

That's when it hit him. The manor. What happened there must have been so traumatic that his already war-torn mind broke fully, making him just….forget. He pulled away, clearing his throat. “I….I’m sorry. I must have mistaken you for someone else. I’ll….I’ll leave you be.” He let go of his sleeve, going to turn away.

The male blinked. "Well hey there pally, you don't seem to be feeling very lively, huh? How about we get some drinks? Could bring out more color in you!" He chuckled. "Clearly your friend or whoever you're looking for isn't here, so why not take the edge off? Dance, drink, that's what a club is for!” The pink-haired man said still with that big grin plastered on his face.

Dark was a bit startled by that suggestion, looking away. “I’d...rather not. I prefer not to drink and I just….I just came here to look for him.” He could hear the twins yelling at him in his head to stay with him, to try and get William to remember somehow. “But...you enjoy yourself. Sorry for bothering you.”

The man grinned. "Oh, nonsense! Clearly, you need a night out, I can tell. You practically radiate all work, no fun.” He hummed and tapped his chin, soon they appeared at the bar… somehow, startling Dark. No one around seemed to question it. "So! What's your name, suited man who doesn't fit in at a club like here?” He said, grinning.

“I...I’m Dark.” He said, glancing around a little before looking back up at the male sitting beside him. “And you are…?” He questioned softly, deciding to just go with this now.

The afro-wearing man smiled. "My name! Oh! Yeah, most people already know it so I'm surprised. My name is Wilford Motherloving Warfstache." He purred out happily and got a martini from... somewhere.

“Pleasure to meet you, Wilford,” Dark said, quietly asking the bartender for water as he silently wondered how Wilford did that. “I suppose you're here quite often then.” He said, glancing at the pink-haired male.

Wilford grinned. "Well, you can say this place is something that doesn't really exist! I don't know the technicalities of something like that, but then again, this can all be fake.”

“I see….” Dark said, sipping on the water the bartender gave him. “Do you have any idea of how long you've been here then?”

Wilford hummed. "Uhh maybe since somewhere after…. 19…. Uhh, I don't know but I do remember going to Japan once! Too bad the stay was short ‘cause this bald guy was chasing after me.”

Dark blinked in confusion at that. “Bald guy…?” He shook that off. “Well, do you remember anything before this bar?” He asked, his fingers tapping against the wood of the bar as he spoke.

"Oh! Plenty of stuff, there was this train...I think. Probably didn't happen yet or already did. And I was in a jungle! Really fun, I fought something sometime another way. There was…. Uhh, different…" He blanked off and blinked. "Sorry, what was I saying again?” He chirped out happily.

Dark gave a small chuckle. “Memories.” He ran his finger around the rim of his glass for a moment, going silent before speaking. “What do the names Damien and Celine mean to you?” He asked softly, hoping he remembered...something.

His eyes became a bit glazed. "Damien and Celine…" Wilford's face dropped and it seemed as if the club itself dimmed down with his mood, the music slowing and repeating the same tune over and over again. People even seemed to freeze. But soon his eyes went back to normal and he grinned. "I think I've met people with those names.” Everything in the club was back to normal.

Dark's shoulders slumped a bit at that. “Do you remember anything about them?” He questioned, looking up at Wilford. “Anything at all?” Dark’s eye color seemed to brighten for a second, changing from a brown so dark it was almost black, to a rich chocolate color, before going back after a second.

Wilford hummed and got another drink from who knows where, trying to take a sip, but being repeatedly blocked by the little umbrella. He kept at it anyways. "Well, that depends on which Damien and Celine. Many people have the same names".

“.....Damien and Celine Doom.” He whispered. “The twins..” Dark looked up at Wilford. “That Damien and Celine. Do you remember them….?”

Wilford’s eyes dimmed once more and the music in the room began to play backward. "Ah…the Doom twins." He looked up. "They were my childhood best friends…And I loved them….I…" He looked down quickly and the wig fell off showing his deep brown hair with pink highlights. "...They're playing a joke on me, they’ve been hiding for years…I'm tired of their games…" Tears began to drip down his face.

Dark’s expression softened as he reached out and gently wiped away the man’s tears. “I'm sorry….” He whispered, his eyes flickering. “They never meant to hide from you. They miss you so much….”

Wilford went and began wiping his own tears away as well. "I…. Okay….". He said softly and soon everything slowly became back to normal and the glaze was gone once more. Wilford blinked. "What happened? Why do I have tears in my eyes?" His eyebrows furrowed.

Dark gave him a soft smile. “Nothing. Don’t worry about it. How about you tell me about yourself?” He sipped his water, his aura flickering.

Wilford grinned. "Well, I like dancing! And guns! Ooh candy too, uuuuhhhh… Pink is my favorite color I think." He said and pursed his lips.

Dark chuckled softly, eyeing his outfit. “Yeah, I could tell.” He finished off his water, glancing up at the clock and sighing. Time had already zoomed by. “It's getting late.”

The pink male pouted. "But we’ve just begun to talk! And it's still early!" Wilford said, spinning his glass around slightly.

“It's nearly 11.” Dark pointed out, standing up and placing some money on the counter for his water. He looked back over to him and gave a soft smile. “But I do enjoy talking to you.”

Wilford grinned. "Come back again another time! This place is technically my home whenever I want to just relax and not have the bald guy chase me. Well, technically he did come here once but Abby...was Axel his name? I can't remember-But anyways, he danced with me, it was fun." The disco dancer said, running his hand through his own hair.

Dark paused at that. “Do you...not have an actual home?” He asked, looking over at Wilford. An idea slowly trickled into his mind. Wilford shook his head no.

“....Come with me.” He offered, holding his hand out to the bubblegum-toned male. “I have plenty of rooms in my home, I'd be more than happy to let you use one.”

Wilford tilted his head before smiling. "Sure, don't have much to do here anyways, and I think Alex is with his brother Slaughter or something.” Dark shrugged that confusing sentence off before gently taking Wilfords hand, leading him towards the door.

He could feel the warmth from Wilford's skin seep into his hand, making him smile as it soothed the coldness of his own. “It's a little bit away but it shouldn't take too long to get there,” Dark told Wilford.

The pink-wearing man smiled. "That's perfectly fine by me!" Dark smiled at that, relaxing at the thought of William once again being close, even if he had changed. Then again, they all changed, for better or for worse...at least they were together.