Actions

Work Header

Let Me Love You

Summary:

Norman feels undeserving of love after everything that has happened to him. Especially of what happened 13 years ago, even if all of his friends say it's not his fault.

Emma just wants to enjoy her life for once – not that she's not happy with her children, they're the best things that's ever happened to her. . .

What happens after one play of tag makes their lives upside down, and finally, Phil and Carol will have a father they can not be afraid of, and Sherry can finally know what it means to have a loving mother.

Chapter 2 is out!

Notes:

Another work! I hope you all join me in this adventure as well as my other fic 'A Sicky Promise'!!

I would apologize in advance for the grammatical and typographical errors! Enjoy! God bless!

Chapter 1: Phil and Sherry

Chapter Text

LET ME LOVE YOU

 

CHAPTER ONE: Phil and Sherry

 

Just a few seconds in, Norman already marked this day as his worst one yet.

 

What already transpired the last few hours really ticked him off:

 

  1. He woke up late for God knows why.
  2. Sherry had a tantrum.
  3. He almost forgot some documents.
  4. Said documents were wasted because an employee of his bumped into him.
  5. Said employee has a cup of coffee in his hand.
  6. His favorite shirt got stained.
  7. Someone brought him the wrong documents (this is another document)
  8. One of his reliable employees is absent today.
  9. Etcetera.

 

Of course, when all of this transpired he still forgave that employee that stained his favorite shirt and ruined his documents, the employee that gave him the wrong documents, understood the reason why his reliable employee is absent, and still loves Sherry all the same.

 

He doesn't think about waking up late though. That is definitely not like him and Ray, his childhood friend and roommate (or housemate, whatever) teased him a lot for it until Sherry smacked him with her princess book that she loves to read all the time.

 

Sherry is his daughter.

 

Blood-related or not, that will never change.

 

A knock interrupts his state of peace, he hums in reply, “Come in.”

 

“Boss,” Ah, it's Vincent. He looks bothered and concerned. He's also holding a phone in hand, “It's from uhh. . .Sherry's school.”

 

“Sherry's school,” Norman repeated and signals Vincent to give him the phone, which the latter complied and took his leave after giving him the phone.

 

“Yes?” Norman starts, playing his pen as he waits for the caller to answer.

 

[I – Is this Miss Sherry's parent, Norman Minerva?]

 

“. . .yes. What's wrong?” 

 

[Uhm. . .] The caller sounds nervous all of the sudden. Norman can't help but try to hypothesize why while spinning his pen. This is the first time Sherry's school called him without warning, and he knows that Sherry is well-behaved, so she can't be in a fight. . .unless. . .

 

[This is Sherry's teacher, Keira.] Norman nods even though he knows she can't see him. [And. . .Sherry, along with her classmate Phil—]

 

‘Phil?’ Norman narrowed his eyes at the name before recognizing the name, ‘Oh. . .the kid that Sherry doesn't like. . .’

 

[—we can't find them.] Miss Keira finished.

 

The pen breaks in half.

 

“What?”

 

———

 

“Don't you have a project to do, Ray?” Anna said to the black haired man who's just lounging around the hospital sofas, “Norman will be mad if he gets a word that you're just laying around here.”

 

“Who cares,” Ray tiredly groaned, turning to his side, “His daughter smacked the hell out of me for just teasing him. Let me get a break.”

 

Anna chuckled, “I could, but I have a job,” She said, straightening out her coat, “Please sleep somewhere else. You're disturbing some people.”

 

Ray groaned, “They don't know me anyway, just let them think that I'm mentally ill or something.”

 

Anna giggled at that, “They would but you're not wearing the hospital pajamas,” She says, “Plus, you do know the nurses here has a crush on you. . .you don't want them to touch you or something while asleep, yeah?”

 

Ray grunted in irritation, “All right, all right. . .” He sat up, scratching the back of his head irritably, “Don's been pestering me about having a reunion or some shit—”

 

“Language!”

 

“—please tell him that I won't go,” He yawned, ignoring her slight scold, “I'm too tired. . .but if Norman and his little girl are going then maybe I'll go too.”

 

Anna softened at that, smiling at Ray, “You really have a soft spot for Sherry, don't you?”

 

Ray rolled his eyes, “Knock it off, Anna,” He says, “She's just too noisy.”

 

Anna nodded, unconvinced, “Gilda has been sewing some clothes she wants you and Norman to try. . .she actually asked for the whole family to try some. Would you?”

 

“I don't have a choice, do I?” Ray sighed, “Yeah, yeah.”

 

His phone suddenly rang, and he rolled his eyes in irritation as he searched for his phone.

 

“Any idea who is it?” Anna asks.

 

“Don't know, don't care,” Ray answered Anna as he swiped his phone without looking who the caller is, “Look, sir. I know my deadline is within the day, I'm working on it. So please—”

 

[Ray.] Oh shit, it's Norman, did he already find out—?

 

“Oh, uh, Norman,” He restarts nervously, “What's wrong—”

 

[It's Sherry.] Ray hears a door closing, a car door? And that tone. . .this looks serious.

 

“What about Sherry?” He asks carefully.

 

[She's missing, along with another kid, Phil. You remember him?]

 

Ray blinked, Ray frowns, he opens his mouth, closes it, then spoke – growled, “Sherry and another kid is what ?”

 

———

 

Emma's used to exhaustion.

 

Ever since 13 years ago, Emma's used to constant work, constant runs, constant compliants, constant stress—

 

“Emma!” The call of her co-worker alerts her to reality, “Here's the order from table 11!”

 

She nods enthusiastically, “Okay!”

 

“Emma!” Another co-worker called, “Please get the orders from Tables 12, 15, and 19!”

 

Emma just took the tray for table 11, but nodded, “I will!”

 

“Emma!” Another one popped up from the kitched, holding a spatula that has soup on it, “Please taste this one! Say if it's okay or not!”

 

Since that co-worker of hers is in the way out of the counter area, she tasted it, “Too much salt, Ma'am.”

 

“Oh, okay!” The cook said, “Better go finish your shift! You haven't slept yet, right?”

 

Emma only smiled, “Thank you, Ma'am Milet!” She says, “But it's fine.”

 

The cook – Milet, only shrugs as Emma went out to go to table 11 and get the orders from tables 12, 15, and 19. After that, her shift is almost ending—

 

“Ah, Emma!” She turned to the owner of the voice, another co-worker, “Help Tain carry out the boxes from the truck, will you?”

 

She nods, “Sure, Ma'am!” She scurries off, not realizing that her phone is already vibrating.

 

———

 

“Sorry for the inconvenience, Emma,” Tain panted, exhausted from what they've done, “Actually, you're the one who carried more boxes than me. . .”

 

Emma chuckles, “Oh no, it's fine!” She exclaims, “I'm always happy to help!”

 

Tain smiles at her, “Your shift's over right? What will you do now?”

 

“I'll pick up Carol first before Phil,” Emma sighs, arranging the boxes they just carried, “Mama – I mean, Miss Isabella's out of the country, so Carol's just on a daycare center right now,” She explains, “So, yeah. Bye, Tain! See you tomorrow!”

 

Tain nods with a smile, “See you!”

 

———

 

Emma sighs as she closes her little locker in the changing room. She immediately thought about her next job in the next few hours.

 

‘I wonder if Carol's okay. . .’ She worriedly thinks, ‘She's not used to other people unless it's me, Mama Isabella, or Phil. . .’

 

A buzz from her phone interrupts her thoughts, she quickly fished out her phone from her pocket and registers that the one who messaged her to call was the daycare center.

 

This made her anxious, she quickly calls the number, “Hello? This – This is Emma. Emma Grace, Carol Grace's mother?”

 

[Miss Emma! Finally!] The voice on the other line, Meia, one of the caretakers there, exclaims. [Miss Emma, it's Carol. She started fussing three hours ago—]

 

“Three hours ago?!” She repeats, now panicking, “Why am I just being notified now?”

 

[At first we thought that she just misses you—] Emma lets her talk while she's furiously putting everything she owns on her bag. [—then when we felt her temperature, it's high and her temperature the last time we checked is 39°c—]

 

‘39°c holy fuck,’ Emma surpressed a sob and blinks back her forming tears in frustration, ‘She might've caught a cold! I knew I should've dressed her up in warmer clothes. . .stupid Emma, you're the worst mother ever.’

 

[—and we are asking if we'll be the ones to take her to the hospital or—]

 

“I'll be the one to take her,” Emma cuts her off, “I'm on my way there. Please take care of her til then!”

 

She hurriedly exits the restaurant, ignoring the 'bye's of her co-workers.

 

———

 

Carol's wails are the first thing she hears once she enters the nursery room.

 

“Miss Emma!” She saw Meia, trying to calm Carol down by rocking her, “Finally! You're here!”

 

She hurries over to Carol, who brightened up when she saw her, holding up her arms, a sign she wants to be carried by Emma, which Emma does, “How are you?” She softly asked Carol, who sobbed as an answer.

 

“Carol's things are beside her assigned crib there,” Meia said, pointing an orange crib, “She's been crying nonstop. I'm sorry for not calming her down—”

 

“No, no, no, it's okay!” Emma cuts her off, “You did a great job! Thank you for notifying me!” Carol began to throw a fit, and Emma takes this as a sign that she doesn't want to be there anymore. Meia looks at her sympathetically, and Emma understands, “I should go now, thank you once again!”

 

Meia nods, “Take care, Ma'am! Take care, Carol!”

 

The ringing of bells was the signal that the two orange-haired people are already gone.

 

———

 

The nearest hospital was called Goldy-Graciens Hospital. By this time, Carol already fell asleep in the comforts of Emma's arms. Seems like besides her fever, Carol did miss her too.

 

‘I'm so sorry, Carol. . .’ Emma apologizes to her, kissing her forehead, feeling the heat of her body through it, ‘I'm so, so sorry. . .’

 

She took notice of a doctor (finally!) and immediately ran to her, “Ma'am! Doctor!”

 

The doctor turned to her quickly in response, Emma instantly noticed the woman's beauty, but quickly regained her composure, “Ma'am. . .can I please check up my daughter? Please.”

 

The doctor looked at Carol in worry and nodded, “This way please,” She beckoned for her to follow her, “What's your name Ma'am?”

 

“Emma,” Emma answers, “Emma Grace.”

 

The doctor nods, “Okay, Ma'am Emma,” She greets, “Please call me Mujika.”

 

———

 

After a few minutes of waiting at the waiting area (because thankfully, the service here is fast) Emma finally enters a doctor's office, and she's not that surprised that it'll the doctor earlier who'll check up on them.

 

Thankfully, Carol's still in deep sleep, so the doctor, Mujika, didn't have a hard time checking her.

 

“A high fever,” Mujika says, “She seems to have caught a cold,” She removes her stethoscope, and smiles at Emma, “But don't worry, a little rest and a child's dosage of ibuprofen can bring her fever down. Also, you can give her a 15-minute bath in lukewarm water to bring her fever down and breastfeed her or bring her her baby formula often. Extra water is recommended too,” Mujika's smile grew in comfort, “So it'll be okay, Ma'am Emma!”

 

Emma sighs in relief, “Oh, thank God,” She exhales and smiles at Mujika, “So, uhm, how much—?”

 

“Oh no!” Mujika exclaims, waving her hands at Emma, “It's free! It's only a check up after all, Ma'am Emma!”

 

Emma blinks a few times at that, “Wait, really?”

 

Mujika nods, “Yes.”

 

Emma cannot believe this. All her life, everything has a price. All her life, she needs to pay to do something.

 

It's not that she's not grateful, she's very, very grateful, in fact. . .

 

Emma was about to say something when her phone suddenly rang. Mujika jumped a bit in surprise that made Emma smile in apology, “May I. . . ?”

 

Mujika nods once again as she decided to do her business while checking up on Carol just in case she moves.

 

Emma answers the call, “Hello?”

 

[Miss Emma? Emma Grace?] Emma immediately recognizes the voice, Keira, Phil's teacher.

 

“Yes, it's me, Miss Keira,” Emma confirms, “What's wrong, Ma'am?”

 

[Something happened—] Okay, now that made her anxious once again, what happened to Phil— [—Phil and his friend, Sherry, is missing. We'll explain more about the situation, Miss Grace, but please come here immediately—]

 

Emma short-circuits once again, “Mis – Missing?!” 

 

Oh no, oh no, oh no, Emma bit her lip so hard that she's surprised it's not bleeding. She fears her heart might palpitate because of how fast it's beating and she feels that she can't breathe properly—

 

“Ma'am Emma?” Mujika's worried voice snapped her out of her thoughts, “What's wrong?”

 

Emma finally feels that Mujika's by her side now, rubbing circles on her back, “Breathe, Ma'am, breathe.”

 

She mouthed thanks to Mujika before replying to Keira, “I'll – I'll be right there. Please wait for me.” After that, she ends the call and she exhales out the breath she doesn't even realize she's surpressing.

 

She needs to go to Phil's school, but she can't risk Carol's fever. It might go worse to the point she might have an infection or something. 

 

‘Oh, Phil. . .’ She whined mentally in worry, ‘Where have you gone. . .’

 

Emma realizes that Mujika's still rubbing circles on her back, so she turns to her and smiles a smile that doesn't reach her eyes, “Thank you, Ma'am Mujika, I—”

 

“It's fine,” Mujika cuts her off, worry still lingering in her eyes, “You. . .almost had an anxiety attack. . .”

 

Emma sighs once again, “I'm sorry. . .” 

 

Emma tries to think of a solution. She needs to go to Phil's school, but she also needs to take care of Carol and not risk her fever. If only she could leave Carol for a while to someone she knows. . .

 

Mama Isabella's not here, she's out of the country, so she's out of the question. The daycare center is probably closed now—

 

“Uhm,” Mujika's voice snapped her out of her thoughts once again, “I can't help but slightly assume your situation but. . .” She trails off, smiling to Emma in comfort, “You can leave Carol to me. I can take care of her, I promise.”

 

Emma opens her mouth, closes it, until she can finally muster up a coherent sentence, “Doc, I – I don't know how to thank you, I—”

 

“You can thank me by just calling me Mujika, Ma'am,” She cuts her off, Mujika fishes out something from her pocket, a piece of paper, “This is my number. You can call me later. I promise to take care of Carol.”

 

Emma hugs Mujika, that made the purple-haired woman squeak in surprise, “Thank you, thank you, thank you—!”

 

Mujika chuckles, “You're welcome,” She softly said, “You should go now. So that before Carol wakes up, you'd be there.”

 

Emma removes her hug and nods, “I – thank you. . .thank you Ma – Musica.”

 

Mujika chuckled, “It's 'Mujika'.”

 

Emma panics, “Ah! Sorry! Mujika—!”

 

“It's okay!” Mujika laughs, she feels light with this orange-haired woman around, she feels warm and happy to be with.

 

After a few more 'thank you's from Emma, she finally leaves with some tips just in case Carol wakes up. Mujika takes all information with a nod and a smile. Once Emma finishes, she went out of the room quickly.

 

Mujika, rested her back on the backrest of her chair, “I wonder what happened. . .”

 

A knock from the door interrupts her thoughts, “Come in!”

 

The door opened, revealing Anna, “Oh, Anna,” She said softly, not wanting to startle Carol who's still sleeping on the mini-patient bed beside her, “What brings you here?”

 

“Ray was here earlier—” Anna noticed Carol, “Who's that?” She asked softly, minimizing her voice once she realizes that Carol's sleeping.

 

“Carol,” Mujika answers, “I let her be left here because something happened and her Mother's torn whether to leave her in a safe place or to bring her to somewhere that may risk her health.”

 

Mujika notices the way Anna was analyzing Carol, and she can't help but ask, “. . .what's wrong?”

 

“Uh,” Anna starts, “She looks like someone. . .”

 

Mujika blinks at that, “Well, she looks a lot like her mother—”

 

“No, I mean—” Anna cuts her off, “Can you see ?”

 

Mujika narrowed her eyebrows a bit, not knowing what Anna meant and looks at Carol, “She looks like her mother.”

 

“I don't know what her mother looks like,” Anna says, “But she looks like someone we both know.”

 

Mujika stares at Carol more. After a few seconds her eyes widen a bit, “Oh!”

 

———

 

Emma's running. She bumps into a few people – she apologizes right after – but she doesn't really care right now. All she's thinking about is her son – Phil, and whatever happened to the school, what happened to Phil and his friend, Sherry, she really, really hopes they're safe.

 

‘Phil. . .’ 

 

———

 

[ E A R L I E R ]

 

It was playtime, Phil and Sherry are playing tag along with the other kids when they decided to venture out on their own in the garden, forgetting they're in a game.

 

Phil and Sherry are close, but Sherry has a one-sided rivalry with Phil because she hates the fact that he is smarter than her, and she wants to impress her father!

 

Phil, oblivious to this, is happy for Sherry whenever her scores are higher than the last.

 

“Phil!” Sherry calls out to her friend, “Where are you going? We're not supposed to go there!”

 

“Well, yes, but—!” He suddenly shows her a bunch of flowers – marigolds, “I found some flowers!” Phil declared with a grin, he continues to do his business, “I'll take home some for Mommy!”

 

“Hey. . .” Sherry starts, sitting beside him, watching what he's doing, “I never saw your Mommy before. What's she like?”

 

“Beautiful!” Phil said in a heartbeat, “Best Mommy ever!”

 

Feeling a pang in her chest when she heard the last part, she ignores it as she moved on to another question, “What about your Dad?”

 

Phil stops moving at that, blinking at the flowers in hand before shrugging, “I don't know,” He answers, “Never seen him for a year or so.”

 

Sherry tilts her head in confusion, “You don't know who your Daddy is?”

 

“I know who he is,” Phil said in an almost harsh tone, “I just don't like him,” He continues, “How about you, what's your Daddy like?”

 

Sherry grins at this, “Best Daddy in the world!” She makes a big circle motion, “He's so intelligent too! More intelligent than you are!”

 

Phil was curious at that, “I wanna meet your Daddy then!” He grins, “Now that you mention it, I never see your Daddy too. . .”

 

Sherry smiles shyly at this, “He's busy. . .” She mumbles as she looks away, a little embarrassed.

 

That confused Phil, “No need to be embarrassed,” He said to Sherry, who perked up at that, “Mommy's always busy too. But I don't mind because I know she's doing it for me and Carol,” He shares, smiling brightly when he mentioned the name, “Carol's my sister! She looks a lot like Mommy, to be honest!” He continues, “So don't be shy that your Daddy's always busy. It's not like he hates you, right?”

 

Sherry frowns at that and shook her head aggressively, “No! Daddy would never hate me!” She exclaims, “He said so himself!”

 

“So don't be embarrassed,” Phil stated, “Our Mommy and Daddy are busy because they love us and want the best for us. No need to be embarrassed by that.”

 

Sherry pouts, “I know that but. . .” She mumbles, fiddling with her fingers until she grumbles in frustration, “Waaaaah! I don't know! I understand Daddy but I don't know!”

 

Phil tilts his head to the side a bit, eyebrows a bit narrowed, “You don't know wha—”

 

CLANG!

 

Both kids immediately turned to the source of the noise that is very near to them.

 

“What's that?!” Sherry exclaimed in panic, ready to run, “Phil—”

 

“Shh!” Phil covered her mouth, he seems alarmed and quick to move, “Quiet!”

 

Phil quickly looked around to find a place to hide, and moved there with Sherry, who was trying to tell him something but he can't really understand it because he's blocking her mouth.

 

“Tht'w bot xheue schosel prendehsis!” That's not within the school premises! Sherry tried to say. 

 

When Phil removed his hand on her mouth, she tried to restate it, but was silenced by him once again, “Shh! Someone's coming!”

 

Someone is coming.

 

“Hey, asshole. You shouldn't just shoot!” One gruff voice said to someone. Phil and Sherry simultaneously covered their mouths, as if to silence them more, “We don't even know if the daughter really goes to school here!”

 

Phil squinted at this, ‘Daughter?’

 

“The spy already said who the fuck the daughter is,” Another deep voice was heard, the two kids are making themselves smaller so that they would have more chances of not being seen, “Spilled the whole fucking info about the little brat too. And it says that she goes here—” The other man pointed the whole area, “—in this fucking public pre-school. Is Minerva careless?”

 

Phil narrowed his eyes now, ‘Minerva?’ He glanced at Sherry who looks terrified, ‘Isn't Sherry's last name 'Minerva'?’

 

The first guy rolled his eyes, “What's her appearance again?”

 

“Short, blonde hair, blue-green eyes,” The second guy who always looks angry said, “She doesn't really even look like Minerva. Is she adopted?”

 

‘They're really describing Sherry!’ Phil concluded, panicking a bit.

 

“I don't know,” The first guy answered, “We've never even really saw the guy.”

 

“I know. But, that's what our spy says,” The second guy says, grunting a bit, “He said that she doesn't look like shit from the man.”

 

The first guy shook his head, “So what's the plan?”

 

“Go in there and kidnap the girl,” The second guy answered in a heartbeat, “That's what our boss said. Keep the girl hostage.”

 

Phil and Sherry stiffened at that.

 

“Man,” The first guy groaned, “It's easier if it's a woman, but a child?” He 'tsk'ed in annoyance, “It's going to be noisy and annoying as hell while we take the brat to headquarters.”

 

“Unless—”

 

“—Boss said we shouldn't hurt the child,” The first guy cut the second one off, “We're gonna be dead if we did.”

 

The second guy rolled his eyes, “Ugh,” He grunted, “Can we just barge in now? So that this will be finished quickly.”

 

The first guy shrugged, “Yeah, sure—”

 

Rustle.

 

The first guy narrowed his eyes at the source of the slight sound (the place where Phil and Sherry were hiding!), he turned to his companion, he's now frowning deeply unlike before. They nodded at each other. Agreeing that they should look at the origin of the sound.

 

The second guy cocks his gun, and when the first guy signalled, the both of them bolted to the place, expecting someone.

 

“Who are — huh?!” 

 

The only thing they saw there was Marigolds .

 

———

 

“Ph – Phil—” Sherry panted while running, “Phil—! Wait—!”

 

“Just run!” Phil exclaimed, running as fast as he can, “They're gunna kidnap you!”

 

“But—”

 

“Your last name is Minerva,” Phil restated what the men said earlier, “You're short, blonde, and have blue-green eyes.”

 

Sherry frowns at this, “Are you—”

 

They heard a bang from where they came from that made the both of them squeak in fear.

 

“We need to hide!” Phil exclaims, now holding Sherry, “ You need to hide!”

 

“But where?!” 

 

“We'll see!”