Actions

Work Header

when time stood still

Summary:

“Girl, you just got kidnapped.” Iris laughs, leaning against the wall.

Patty bats her hand as if to brush it off. “I did that like a month ago, too. Old news. This means there’s another eight billion people who live in a world where the Nazi’s won World War II. That’s terrible!”

Joe shakes his head, clapping Barry on the shoulder as if to say good luck. Barry just clasps his hand with his own and nods happily as Cisco points straight at Patty and says, “I think we’re gonna be best friends.”

OR

a rewrite of the flash by someone who likes to think she can write women better than the flash writers (not that its hard)

starting at 2x10, probably gonna go all the way up to season five; spallen snowest-centric as well as this entire team getting the screentime and storylines they deserve

y'all can pretend this is some earth-1 stuff or pretend this is like earth-329 or somethin

this is self-indulgent but also i wish the flash writers would not do the women dirty and actually have healthy relationships between all these characters without putting another one down to do it. caitlin and iris should've been close. that's just a fact. i just made them gay because it's what i deserve

Notes:

i just wish the flash writers knew how to accurately write women. like you have a BLACK FEMALE LEAD and in the first and second seasons you give her no storyline other than the fact that she's barry's future love interest? no. MISS IRIS ANN WEST DESERVES BETTER.

so does caitlin snow. i wish more than anything that the flash SHOWED us things rather than just being like "iris and caitlin are friends" no we deserved to see caitlin helping iris through eddies death and iris being caitlin's first ever girl-friend (and later girlfriend bc they're my guilty ship)

not to mention, they did not handle patty well at ALL. like i do 100% ship westallen and knew they were always gonna be endgame, but COME ON. patty pulling a zayn on barry and barry being like "ok bye" was stupid. he practically said he was falling in love with her. i needed her badassery on team flash to go along w miss iris and miss caitlin. besides, she was hella good for barry i said what i said.

in this house, we respect all the women of team flash, not just as love interests, but as WOMEN with their own personalities and storylines. i love them so much im sorry

also. this is so so self-indulgent and i fully wrote it for my own enjoyment so don't expect this to be my best body of work or something im like. expecting praise on. my braincells go into my other fics on here.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: everything has changed

Chapter Text

When Patty approaches her about Barry, she genuinely feels sorry for the girl. Iris knows Barry’s totally obsessed with her (in a good way) and it reminds Iris of a time when Eddie was working with the Flash and couldn’t tell her, instead opting to close himself off. She understands her relationship with Eddie is different than the one between Patty and her best friend, but if Iris had known, it would’ve saved a lot of fights and worrying. She does her best to keep their relationship intact while making sure Patty feels heard. She really likes her and wouldn’t mind getting closer if Barry decides that this thing between them is gonna be worth it in the end. Ever since Linda moved to keep herself safe from Zoom, Iris has been lonely.

 

When she tells Barry about it, his stress level rises a little too quickly and she thinks Patty’s right to be worried about him. “She mentioned you were having… nightmares?”

 

He pauses before sighing and nodding his head. “About Zoom… killing her.”

 

She remembers when he first came to live in the West house and he had nightmares every other night. He didn’t want to talk about them back then either. “Look, Barr. I understand this is tricky. Especially after how much we’ve already lost, but if you’re serious about being with Patty, you’re gonna have to tell her the truth. I mean, if it turns out that you fall in serious love with this girl, keeping this a secret forever just isn’t logical.”

 

He nods a few times, agreeing. “I am serious about her. So, I guess I’m going to tell her that I’m the Flash.” She’s pissed Wally didn’t show up, but if that gave her the chance to fix her friend’s relationship, she can’t be too upset.

 

Barry keeps her updated throughout her workday, sending her the plan for the art show. She doesn’t think telling your girlfriend that you’re a superhero while disguising your heist as a date is a good idea, but at least he’s doing it. Harry and Caitlin aren’t on board, but Cisco thinks she’s a badass, which Iris knows to be true. She understands the risks and while she doesn’t want to see Patty get hurt or taken like Harry’s daughter, it’s easier to keep yourself safe when you know what you’re up against.

 

She’s still working, avoiding going home to think about Eddie (she’s been doing that a lot lately; her fiancé never got to meet her brother or her mother and she can’t help but wonder what he’d say to her right now) when Barry shows up, flustered and looking for even more best-friend-advice. 

 

“So, we went to the gala, Turtle showed up and almost killed Patty and then I got knocked out and Cait and Jay carried me to the van and Patty thinks that I just left her there. So, then I went over and she was really upset and basically told me that she wants us to be serious and I have to figure out what I want.” He says, practically all in one breath. Iris frowns, spinning around in her chair to look at him.

 

“I thought you knew what you wanted. Her.” She keeps her tone lowered so that none of her coworkers overhear them talking about metavillains and near-death experiences.

 

Barry lets out a sharp breath, shaking his head. “I know, I know. I do want her, but she almost died tonight, Iris… and it wasn’t even Zoom, it was just another meta.”

 

Iris can’t help but let out a laugh at that. “Barr, doesn’t that just show that she’s already in danger and telling her isn’t going to change that? Putting aside the fact that she deserves to know what’s going on with her boyfriend , doesn’t she deserve to know how much danger you’re inevitably putting her in?”

 

She raises her eyebrows as he sighs defeatedly, nodding again. He hesitates before speaking again, seriously. “Do you think I’ve already blew it?”

 

Iris leans forward, placing her hand on his knee from where he’s sitting on her desk. “Not if you go back to her now and explain clearly what you want out of your relationship and tell her the truth about your other half, as well as why you didn’t tell her. It might help to bring her to Star Labs and introduce her to everyone, explain to her just how big of a threat he really is. I’ll come with you.”

 

He places his hand on top of hers, squeezing once. “Thank you. I love you.” He kisses her once on the cheek before he’s off, leaving her to roll her eyes fondly at his (and apparently all of Team Flash’s) hopelessness when it comes to love.

 

It’s only fifteen minutes later that her dad texts her to say that Patty’s been taken by Turtle and he’s on his way to Star Labs so that the team can start working on it, to which she decides she’s more needed there as a friend rather than here as a journalist, and makes her way over. When she gets there, Joe’s just arrived and Barry’s pacing like a maniac. She considers sending him a sympathetic look but if it were her in his position, that would just piss her off.

 

“Bear, we’ll find her.” Her dad says, as Cisco shakes his head, staring at the screen in front of him.

 

“I’m not getting any leads on this guy, it’s like he’s totally fallen off the grid.” He says, pointing at the computer. “Any of the stuff he’s stolen, I can’t find it.”

 

“He keeps them.” Harry jumps in, an insightful look on his features. “He keeps them like a serial killer collects trophies.”

 

Caitlin shakes her head, looking at Joe. “He’s stolen a lot of stuff.”

 

Joe snaps his fingers, pointing. “Which means, he needs a lot of space to store it, right?”

 

“Maybe he rented a storage space?” Iris suggests, only to be struck down by Cisco moments later. 

 

“Wait a minute. His ex-wife used to be an archivist for antiquities at the Naydel library before it shut down.” He types into the computer. “And it shut down three months after the accelerator exploded.”

 

Iris nods, putting a hand on Cisco’s shoulder as a way to say good work . “That’s big enough, right?” Barry’s gone moments later, despite Jay’s points about him not being able to neutralize Turtle’s power.

 

--

 

When it’s over and the Turtle’s knocked out, Patty clinging to the Flash like her life depends on it (Barry doesn’t want to think about the fact that it actually did), he kneels in front of her, glancing at Turtle one last time, and pulls his mask off. He hears her breath hitch and looks up, taking in the unshed tears in her eyes and the frown on her face and he thinks, this is it

 

He apologizes immediately because even if him being the Flash is not a good enough reason to her for the way he’s been acting, she deserves that much and he’s gotta know he said it. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before. I have a reason, I swear. And I’m sorry that I didn’t immediately tell you how I felt earlier today. I know what I want and I want you.”

 

A ghost of a smile appears across her lips and he hears a few coos in his comms from his various teammates that makes him chuckle and before he knows it, she’s kissing him square on the lips and he knows without a doubt that he made the right decision. She pulls away and uses one hand to cup his cheek and it makes him smile a little too wide as her thumb slides over the skin under his eye. “It’s okay. There’s a lot we need to talk about but we’ll be okay.”

 

He grins just as he hears Caitlin go that is so freaking cute! in the comms and he decides he has to take care of Turtle so his best friends can stop listening in on his make up with his girlfriend. He pulls his mask on and squeezes her hands. “I’ll come right back for you.”

 

And he does, like no time has passed except Turtle is locked in a pipeline cell and Patty is suddenly in a curved hallway at Star Labs, Barry (in plain clothes) walking beside her, arm slung over her shoulders. She mumbles, “I’m gonna need to get used to that.” and puts her arm around his waist, chuckling along with him. He takes her into what he tells her is the Cortex, where everyone is waiting for her with expectant smiles on their faces. Iris runs up and hugs her, mumbling grateful words that she’s alright and Joe pulls her in next. “Me too, partner.”

 

“Thank you.” She smiles back as Caitlin makes her way over, a navy sweatshirt in her hands.

 

“Your honorary Star Labs crewneck. Everyone gets one on their first visit.” Patty takes it gratefully, pulling it on. Barry fixes her hair, pulling it out of the back of the neckhole without her even asking and they share a soft smile between them.

 

He grabs her hand afterwards, squeezing it. “So, I’m pretty sure you already know everyone here except for Harry, I think.”

 

“Actually, she shot me.” Harry interjects seriously, then takes a sip from his mug. 

 

Patty frowns, bouncing on her feet nervously, looking at Joe. “Is he not a murderer anymore?”

 

The room laughs as Barry answers. “The Harrison Wells from this earth is. This is gonna sound a little nuts, but Harry is the Harrison Wells from Earth-2.”

 

Patty’s face is unreadable for a second before it morphs into a wide grin. “You’re saying the multiverse theory is right?”

 

Cisco gasps, looking at Barry. “Oh, she’s a nerd! I get it now.”

 

Joe laughs, putting his hands in his pockets, clearly surprised. “Wait, you know about the multiverse?”

 

Patty lets go of Barry’s hand, stepping forward. “Are you kidding? Infinite Earths all vibrating at a different frequency in the same pocket of space and time so that they can’t see each other? All I did when I was a teenager was read college research on it. This is the best day of my life.”

 

“Girl, you just got kidnapped.” Iris laughs, leaning against the wall. 

 

Patty bats her hand as if to brush it off. “I did that like a month ago, too. Old news. This means there’s another eight billion people who live in a world where the Nazi’s won World War II. That’s terrible!”

 

Joe shakes his head, clapping Barry on the shoulder as if to say good luck . Barry just clasps his hand with his own and nods happily as Cisco points straight at Patty and says, “I think we’re gonna be best friends.”

 

Barry steps forward, placing his hands on Patty’s shoulders. “You two can be best buds tomorrow. Patty needs sleep.” She lets him lead her away willingly, saying goodbye to everyone. “Goodnight.”

 

As they’re exiting the Cortex, she turns to him and gasps. “Wait. How are you always late?” He just grins and kisses her temple, running them to her apartment. 

 

“Are you okay to sleep here? After what happened today, I mean.” She nods at the question, wrapping her arms around his waist after he locks the door behind them. 

 

“As long as you’re here, I will be.” She leans up to kiss him and he smiles into it. “We still need to talk, don’t we?”

 

He sighs, nodding. “So, that blue speedster dressed in all black… the one who dragged Flash all over the city, to the precinct…”

 

Patty groans, leaning her forehead against his chin. “Oh, god. And I was so pissed at you for saying you were sick.”

 

“Point is,” He starts, tone so soft she can barely hear it. “He’s easily the most dangerous villain I’ve ever faced, and he’s made a promise to hurt everyone I care about. He kidnapped Harry’s daughter; he’s been trying to find her for months now and we’ve had no luck. He almost killed my ex-girlfriend. He’s sent metahumans from Earth-2 to kill me. You’re already in a lot of danger by just knowing me let alone being my girlfriend.”

 

He looks up, running a hand through his hair. “If this is the part where you be a hero and ask me to consider if the risks are worth it, don’t. I’m in this now.”

 

Barry takes a deep breath. “What if it doesn’t work?”

 

Patty smiles, brushing their noses together. “What if it does?”

 

--

 

At Star Labs, Iris sticks around, pulling Caitlin into the med room. “Is something wrong?” The doctor asks, but Iris shakes her head.

 

“No, not at all. It’s just that Patty is going to be around a lot more and I was thinking that it might feel a little daunting for her. You know, spending time with a team that fights metavillains and is currently running from a speedster faster than Barry and… I don’t know, I was thinking it might be good for all of us if we got coffee or something, just us girls? I mean, I’ve known you for a while now but we haven’t really gotten to know each other and I think with Patty being our new addition, I feel like it might be beneficial for all of us to spend some time together. Have each other as support, you know?”

 

Caitlin smiles warmly, nodding. “Yeah, that’s a good idea. I love these guys but it would be nice to know you too, especially if Patty’s sticking around.”

 

Iris grins, wringing her hands together, feeling a lot less nervous than she was before. “Okay, that’s a deal. I’ll talk to Patty tomorrow.” She turns to leave, hand on the doorknob when Cailtin stops her.

 

“Iris?” She turns, raising her eyebrows as if to tell her to continue when Cait looks down at the floor. “Look, the Singularity was hard for me. Losing Ronnie didn’t put me in a good place but even then, I’d already lost him before. I just feel like I should’ve reached out after what happened with Eddie and I’m sorry that I didn’t.”

 

“Don’t be sorry, Caitlin. We’re both still grieving. But at least, we’re going through it together, right? I can be your shoulder and you can be mine.” Caitlin nods, smile matching hers and walks over, following Iris out. Iris squeezes her arm and high-fives Cisco before she’s out the door and Caitlin, while never being the type to have lots (or any) girl-friends, is grateful Iris reached out. She did think about talking to her about Eddie, but she lost her husband on her wedding day and she didn’t feel at all prepared to help someone else with their grief while still dealing with her own. She’s realizing the team has a terrible track record with losing loved ones and with Barry deciding Patty’s someone he wants around, she hopes they don’t continue the trend.