Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Rebel Girl-A P5R FeMC Story/Rework
Collections:
Jaded Discord Server Recommendations
Stats:
Published:
2020-06-12
Updated:
2024-03-14
Words:
629,611
Chapters:
196/?
Comments:
425
Kudos:
528
Bookmarks:
97
Hits:
65,704

Rebel Girl

Summary:

Ren Amamiya is just your average high school girl. Until one day, she gets arrested because some slimeball insisted that she assaulted him. To get away from it all, her parents send her to Tokyo. However, on her way there, she sees a vision of a figure in a cloak, claiming to be a manifestation of chaos. The figure offers her power, but Ren chooses to stand against them. Now Ren is presented with the task of stopping the figure before chaos reigns over Japan.

A Persona 5 Royal FeMC story/Rework of the Story. A lot of elements will be the same, but there are going to be a lot of changes as well.

Kamoshida Arc: Chapters 1-22
Madarame Arc: Chapters 23-50
Kaneshiro Arc: Chapters 51-80
Futaba Arc: Chapters 81-127 (New Minamoto Mini-Arc: Chapters 106-111)
Okumura Arc: Chapters 128-171
Sae Arc: Chapters 172-present

Notes:

So, this story started as a thought experiment, and it eventually turned into this. The initial thought isn't represented in the first chapter, but I figured this was a better place to start than that thought. I'm going to be honest, this is probably the most conflicting story to write. I love the ideas I came up with for this, but I am really flying by the seat of my pants on this, more so than any other work of mine thus far. Criticism and guidance are very much welcome on all of my works, but I feel it most here.

As an example of how I might need help, the reason it's tagged "Chose Not to Use Warnings" is because I am a little unsure as to how I would tag it. I am not sure how much real violence there's going to be. The reason it is rated M is because Kamoshida shows up, and anything with that perv has to be M in my book. But I don't want any actual non-consensual sex to occur. Those are my two biggest concerns when it comes to the warnings.

Also, while my original Persona story (Persona: Dark Future) is structured to feel like a Persona game, this is going to be written with a more narrative focus. Each story gives off a different feeling and requires a different approach. Just so you understand. Though, that's more for me than anything.

(See the end of the work for other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: The Whims of Chaos

Chapter Text

Amamiya Ren was on her way to Tokyo. She had short messy hair, black-rimmed glasses, and was wearing a grey shirt, with a black jacket, a navy blue skirt, white socks, and a pair of black Mary Janes. She had fallen asleep on the train. In her mind, she could only see one thing. That night. She was on her way home for the evening when she heard a woman crying out for help. She was scared, yet knew she had to be brave. She raced towards the sound to see a violent bald man trying to force a woman into a car.

The man turned to her. ”What are you looking at?” he asked. “Move along!” Ren knew she couldn’t.

“Stop!” the woman cried.

The man glared at her. “Impudent people like you should do as I say and follow where I steer this country!” He turned back to Ren. “Well?! What are you waiting for?! Leave!”

That was the last straw for Ren. She was sick of jerks like him thinking they could control everything on a whim. She had to put a stop to it. She stepped between the woman and the man, splitting them up.

The man was clearly drunk, and after stumbling for a little bit, he fell and hit his head on the sidewalk. He got up, and he was bleeding. “Damn brat! I’ll SUE!”

Ren was confused. “You fell on your own,” she said.

“Silence!” he yelled. “You’re going to regret this!”

The woman that Ren had saved spoke up meekly. “I’ll-I’ll tell the police.”

The man looked at the woman he was trying to trap and grinned. “Go ahead. I have the police, the judges, and the lawyers under my thumb. They aren’t going to believe you anyway.”

As if they were dogs on a leash, two police officers came up. “Is something the matter?” one of them asked. He noticed the man that Ren only knew as vulgar. “Oh, it’s you sir. Are you alright?”

“Well, tell them,” the man said.

The woman looks hesitantly at Ren. Tears formed, as if it were meant to be an apology. She turned to the officers and barely choked out “This young girl...assaulted this man…”

Ren was shocked. “It is as she says” the man says. “Arrest her!’

“Yes sir!” the officer said.

“Oh, and, please be sure to leave my name out of it,” the man added.

“Yes sir!” the officer said. The two officers arrested Ren before she could process everything that was going on. After which, she was let off on parole, but her parents felt that living in their quaint little town wouldn’t do her any good. They offered her to stay with a friend of theirs; a man by the name of Sojiro Sakura.

That moment was all that Ren could dream about ever since it happened. It played over and over again in her head. Until it stopped. Her mind faded to black. She then saw an image that would make sense for a dream, but it felt all too real.

There stood an image of a white metallic angel “What are you doing here?! I am creating order!”

Ren notices a figure in a cloak. “Well, if that’s what you’re trying to do, then it’s no wonder why I’m here!”

“Pardon?” asked the angel-looking thing.

“I think this country is just about done with order” the cloaked figure says. She holds up her hand and summons a rapier that was adorned in gold. “I think it's time for chaos to reign!” With one motion, the cloaked figure slices the white metallic angel thing in two.

Ren was then hit with a barrage of strange images. A castle morphing into a town. A museum being covered by police tape. A bank landing from the sky into a highly stylized city. A pyramid gaining an eye and omitting a cursed aura. A space station turning into a post-apocalypse. A casino shifting into a fashion show. A ship being shrunk down and turned into a prop. Lastly, she saw the Tokyo underground change into a garden.

Ren was having trouble processing all of this. The cloaked figure then looks at Ren. “Hm?” they say. “Oh darling, you’re here a bit early.” Ren was confused. “Or perhaps, it’s not early for you.” They laughed. “I AM the manifestation of chaos after all. It would only stand to reason that the you here now isn’t the you of the present time.”

Ren glared at them. “Yes, I see” they continued. “This is the you I am interested in. The you of now is nothing more than a middle school girl, enjoying life as much as she possibly can; blissfully unaware of what is about to occur. You is the you of my future.”

Ren was confused by these words. Does this mean that this is in the past. If so, why am I seeing it? And why is this figure talking to me anyway? This is supposed to be a dream, right?

“If I am correct, you recently got arrested for a crime you didn’t commit, correct?” the cloaked figure asked. Ren was shocked. “Heh heh. So I was right.” The figure took out an apple. “Here” they said. “You’ve seen what I just did to Yaldabaoth, correct? Well, with a bite of this apple, all that power can also be yours.”

Ren was shocked. What did they just say? I could have that power?

“You want revenge, right?” the figure asked. “I can give that to you and more. With one bite, your inhibition will be released, and revenge will be yours for the taking. You will be able to punish that guy that had you arrested and make him pay!”

Ren was certainly tempted. Everyone back home was labeling her a criminal. It sounded nice to be able to shake that. However, something about this didn’t sit right with her. “What’s in it for you?” she asked.

The figure giggled. “Well, there are certainly some benefits to be gained on my end. Another agent of chaos for starters. And a powerful one at that. But more importantly, the one who summoned me has taken quite an interest in you.”

Ren was understandably confused. “Summoned?”

“Ah yes” the figure said. “The nature of my existence is complicated at best. I have always existed, and yet I have yet to exist. I am here in your past because you were there in her future.”

Ren was further confused. Then again, this figure did call itself the manifestation of chaos. It wouldn’t be too much of a surprise to think that this powerful chaos could do something like that. “So. What do you say?” the figure asked.

Ren was almost tempted to accept this offer. Being shipped out of her home because of a false report by a powerful asshole sucks. Ren thought that with this power, she could enact her revenge and clear her name.

However, a voice in her mind spoke to her. “Don’t!” it said. Ren was shocked. The figure was displeased. The voice in her mind continued. “Their definition of revenge is nothing short of death! The power they will grant you will corrupt you into becoming someone you are not! You will become a violent, ruthless, killing machine! You will become the very thing you hate! Someone who abuses their power to get what they want!”

Ren heard the voice. She stood against the figure and glared at it. “Hm. I see you have your answer!” they said. “Very well. But know this! I expect a thank you!” Ren was confused.

“See, the figure I just slayed, Yaldaboath, was setting you up to play in an unfair game” the figure explained. “They were forcing you into a situation in which you were supposed to lose in order to spread its idea of order to the masses. Of course, I am more forgiving than that. We are still going to play a game. However, this time, it will be fair.”

The figure smirked. “I have no intention of losing. I just won’t stack the deck against you is all. If we were to fight now, you would surely lose. But by journey’s end, I fully expect a fair fight. In the meantime, I shall be going about my business, all the while making sure you’re ready when the time comes. Do you have a deal?” Ren nodded. “Good. I shall see you on the other side. The figure bowed, and the entire scenery faded.

Ren woke up on the train. She was breathing heavily, and her heart was beating out of her chest. “What was that?” she wondered. She checked her phone for the time, and saw something else that confused her. A mysterious app that was red and pulsating. “I don’t remember installing this,” she pondered. She gasped. “Could this be part of the ‘game’? But, that wasn’t real, was it?”

Ren tried figuring out what had just happened for the remainder of her ride. But much to her dismay, there wasn’t anything she could figure out besides what she was told. “Now arriving in Yongen-Jaya!” the announcer said. Ren gasped. This was her stop. She figured she could worry about agents of chaos and someone who could slice a giant metal angel thing in two as easily as they could breathe later. For now, she had to meet up with one Sojiro Sakura.

She managed to find Sojiro’s house, but no one answered when she rang the bell. She found this curious, so she decided to ask around. She found out Sojiro runs a cafe named Le Blanc.

She found Le Blanc and entered. She saw an old couple sitting at a booth, as well as a middle-aged man wearing a pink shirt, tan pants, and a green apron. “This is the best coffee we’ve had here, Sakura-san” the old man in the booth said.

“Why thank you” said the man Ren deduced had to be Sojiro.

“Excuse me?” Ren said.

“Hm?” said Sakura-san.

“Are you by chance, Sojiro Sakura?” Ren asked.

“Huh? Yeah” he said. There was a bit of a silence. “Oh, you’re-” Sojiro sighed. “Sorry. I forgot that was today.”

Ren smiled. “It’s alright.”

“Boss, who is this girl?” the old mad asked.

“I mean, I know you're something of a ladies’ man, but isn’t she a bit young for you?” the old woman asked.

Sojiro was stunned. “I-It’s not like that,” he said, defensively.

“Well, we should probably get going,” the old man said.

The old lady nodded. “It seems Sakura-san is busy,” she replied. The two paid for their coffee and left.

Sojiro sighed. Ren smirked. “So” she said. She posed provocatively and said “Ladies’ man, huh?”

Sojiro glared at her. “Shut up.” Ren returned to her normal posture and giggled. “Anyway, come upstairs.” Ren followed Sojiro up to a messy attic. “This will be your room for your time in Tokyo.”

Ren looked at him confused. “I’m not staying with you?”

“Well…” Sojiro said. He sighed. “Look, things are complicated at my place.”

“Too many women coming over?” Ren said. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell.”

Sojiro glared at her. “Look. I agreed to take care of you. Please keep your smart aleck remarks to a minimum.”

“Sorry,” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “No, it’s understandable. From what I understand, your situation is a bit hectic to say the least. You’re just trying to keep your spirits up. But please, if you can help it, don’t do it at my expense.”

“OK,” said Ren.

Sojiro smiled. “Anyway, I’m sorry your room is in the condition it’s in. I would have cleaned it more, but stuff got in the way.” Sojiro looked at Ren. He smiled. “A fast learner? I like that. It’s sure to help you live a regular school life.” Ren nodded.

“Anyways, I need to get home. I have matters I need to attend to. I’m sure you can clean enough to get yourself situated for the night. That corner over there is where your mattress is. That might be a good place to start. I’ll make you some curry, and then you can get started.”

The two of them walked down stairs. Sojiro made Ren some curry for dinner, and served her some coffee. To Ren’s surprise and delight, they were both delicious. Ren thanked Sojiro for the meal. Sojiro nodded and then left for his place.

Ren then headed back upstairs and cleaned what would be her room for the next year or so. There was a lot, so she had to prioritize. She started with the bed, and then organized some shelf space for her luggage that was to come to her later. She figured she could get the rest of it later. For now, she was tired, and decided to go to bed.

Ren reflected on what had happened today on the train. It seems like a complete work of fiction. And yet, it felt so real. She then took out her phone and looked at the app she had gotten. And this app. This is proof positive that what I witnessed was real. At least to some extent. All of this is a lot to take in. Maybe I can figure it out after a good night’s rest. Ren closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

However, she should have known. A dream is what got her caught up in this in the first place. Another dream just might continue it. Ren awoke in a jail cell. However, the door to her cell was nowhere to be found. She walked up to the door and saw a room surrounded by more cells. In the middle was a strange man with a long nose. Standing at his side was a young girl with a book.

“Welcome. To the Velvet Room” the man said. “Do not be alarmed. You are fast asleep in your own world. My name is Igor. My associate here is Lavenza.”

“I assume you have a lot of questions,” Lavenza said. “We are here to be of assistance.”

Chapter 2: Power and Authority

Notes:

This chapter contains Sexual harassment, an attempted assault, and implied previous sexual interactions. I was shaking when writing those portions. If you do not feel comfortable reading those parts, you can either skip the section between the words “guard” after the announcement and “Meanwhile”, or just don’t read it at all. I completely understand.

Chapter Text

Ren was understandably confused. This is the second dream in a row in which something weird was happening and it felt real. “What’s going on?” she asked.

Igor chuckled. “This is the Velvet Room,” he said. “Only those that have entered a contract may enter here.” Ren remembered making a deal with that cloaked figure. Igor continued. “Although, to be honest, things have gotten a little chaotic.”

Ren was even more confused. “What do you mean?”

“If I may,” said Lavenza. “You had a dream in which a mysterious figure defeated a being called Yaldabaoth, correct?” Ren nodded. “He was to be your original enemy in this battle. However, that mysterious figure appears to have disrupted all of that. So now, we must assist you in fighting this new enemy.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“However, while Yaldabaoth may have been stopped, his plan was already set in motion” Lavenza added. “This figure only managed to change things about the plan to suit their needs.”

Ren remembered seeing a weird vision of things changing or morphing when that figure sliced Yaldabaoth in two. “Do we know what has changed?” she asked.

“Not exactly” Igor chimed in. “However, we have an agent in the field looking into it. You shall meet up with them soon.”

Ren was curious. “Who are they?”

“Hm hm” Igor said. “They are a being of my own creation.” Ren was shocked. “I created them when Yaldabaoth was still going forward with their plan; part of which involved subduing me and replacing me.”

Lavenza got a sad look on her face. “And split me in twain” she said sadly.

“The agent I created was meant to guide you to stop Yaldabaoth,” Igor said. 

Ren had a thought. “Wait. Since that didn’t happen, how did you create them?” she asked.

“Your new enemy is a paragon of chaos,” Lavenza explained. “We have explained that they have altered Yaldabaoth’s plan to their liking. The usurping of my master and the separation of me hasn’t happened. The creation of this agent has. Does that make sense?”

“As much sense as any of this possibly could” Ren said. “So, basically, this figure picks and chooses what to keep, what to change, and what to get rid of, correct?” Lavenza nodded. Ren thought about it some more. The figure did say that it wanted to give her a fair chance. I suppose having this agent makes it fair.

Igor chuckled again. “I believe there is something else on your mind, correct?”

Ren was alert. She gulped and answered calmly. “Yes. When they offered me their power, I was ready to take it. But then a voice inside my head stopped me. What was that?”

Igor chuckled once more. “That is the reason we are here to help. However, it shall come to light in due time. For now, we just want you to be prepared for any strange happenings, and to know we shall be of assistance.” Ren nodded.

“You must return to your world for now” Lavenza. “When we meet again, we shall inform you on how we will help. Farewell.”

Ren woke up. She was a little disoriented, but overall determined. However, she didn’t know where to start looking for this agent that was to help her out. She repeated Igor’s words. “Be prepared for any strange happenings…”

“Hey! Are you dressed yet?!” Sojiro yelled from downstairs. Ren was now focused on that. “We’re going to your school today to get you settled. You remembered, right?!”

Ren did. “I just got up! Sorry!”

“It’s fine, just hurry up!” Sojiro responded. Ren quickly got ready and went downstairs. She met Sojiro with a smile. “Before we go… here” Sojiro handed her a diary. Ren looked at him confused. “I’m supposed to report to your parole officer every now and again. Just write down what you’ve been doing and stay out of trouble.”

Ren looked at the diary. Sojiro had been rather fickle about her since she arrived. She’s not allowed to live in his house, but he’s willing to understand her shenanigans. He seems rather strict, but at the same time, willing to believe what she’s going to write in here. She smiled at him and said “Thanks.”

Sojiro was taken aback. “Well, come on,” he said, flustered. “We don’t want to be late.”

Ren and Sojiro left to take Ren to school to get herself situated. On their way. Sojiro explained the train route she would use to get to school. They get caught in traffic. “Dammit! Why now?!” He looked at Ren. “I know I’m used to having a woman in my passenger’s seat, but taking one to school feels...dirty somehow.” He sighed. “Calm down, Sojiro. Just think of it as practice.”

Ren looked at him, confused. “For when you have a kid and have to take them to school?”

Sojiro was shocked. “Well, you could say that…”

They arrived at school. Ren got her first look at Shuji Academy. The two walked in and headed to the principal’s office. Once inside, they met a man who Ren could only describe as the human equivalent of a hard-boiled egg, and a woman who seems to be tired.

“Hello” said the man. “I’m Principal Kobayakawa. We spoke on the phone.”

“Ah yes,” Sojiro said.

Principal Kobayakawa turned to Ren. “Now then, shall we get started?” He said. “Welcome to Shujin Academy. We expect you to be on your best behavior here, considering your recent history. We are here to provide you with an environment to help you grow. However, one step over the line, and we will expel you.”

“Of course,” Sojiro said. He turned to Ren. “Hey, do you understand?” Ren looked at him and nodded. “Good.”

“Splendid,” Kobayakawa said. “Now, allow me to introduce you to Ms. Kawakami. She will be your home room teacher.”

“Hello…” she said, seemingly disinterested in everything going on.

“Now then, here is your student ID,” Kobayakawa said. “Let’s go over the rules.” The meeting continued as Kobayakawa explained the rules of the academy, and all the facets within. It was a bit of a tedious lecture, filled with pride and a slight animosity towards her for existing. Still, it was informative, and she was lucky that any school would want her at all, considering she had been arrested. Kobayakawa finished explaining things and said “I truly hope you have a good time at our school.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you,” she said. With that, she and Sojiro left.

They returned to Le Blanc. “You should probably get some rest. You start school tomorrow after all. And if every teacher speaks like your principal, I’d say you need it.”

Ren laughed at the remark. She then genuinely smiled for the first time in a while and said “Thank you.”

Sojiro looked at her, befuddled. “Well, even if he was a little back-handed, it is important to follow the rules. We don’t want you arrested again.”

Ren nodded. “OK.”

“Anyway, I need to head home” said Sojiro. “Be sure to get a good night’s rest.” He left the cafe, and again, Ren was alone. She ate dinner, cleaned her room some more, and headed to bed.

Meanwhile, in a different bedroom, a girl was crying to herself. “I can't,” she told herself. “I can’t keep doing this.”

She got a late night text. She checked her phone. It was from her friend Ann. “Hey Shiho! Can’t wait to see you tomorrow at school! I’m sure you’ll do great in volleyball! And remember, I’m always here for you.”

Shiho smiled. “Ann…” She then quickly frowned. “You shouldn’t have to suffer for my sake!” She started to cry some more.

“Well well” said a mysterious voice.

Shiho looked up to see a figure in a cloak. “Who are you?” she asked. “How did you get in here?”

The cloaked figure chuckled. “I am but a granter of wishes” they said.

Shiho gasped. “Th-there’s no such thing!”

“And yet, here I am,” the figure said. “You wish for the abuse to stop. For that man to get what is coming to him. For peace to return to your hobby.” Shiho was petrified at how accurate that was. “I can give you the power to do all of that,” they continued. They took out an apple. “All you have to do is take a bite, and that power is yours.”

Shiho was scared, but willing to listen. “H-How do I know this is real?”

The figure smirked. “Shiho Suzui. Born July 22nd. Blood type: A-. Shall I keep going?”

Shiho was shocked. Clearly this person knew a lot about her. She thought that perhaps this person could be telling the truth. She grabbed the apple and took a bite. The figure smiled.

After the bite, Suzui felt a surge flow inside her. It felt like she had grasped onto the answer that she was looking for the entire time. And it seemed so simple. “Are you ready?” the figure asked.

“Yes,” Shiho said.

“Good” the figure said, leaving as mysteriously as they had appeared.

Shiho looked at her phone. She sent Ann a text back. “I can’t wait either. Thank you for always being there for me. See you there!” She then went to bed.

Ren woke up the next morning and got ready. She headed downstairs. Sojiro was there. “Hey. Bring your umbrella. It’s raining. You have one don’t you?” Ren nodded and went back upstairs to get it. Sojiro was relieved. “Good. I don’t want you ending up some random guy’s umbrella, incidentally or otherwise.” Sojiro glared at her.

Ren smiled. “I don’t think that’s going to be much of a problem. But thank you for your concern.”

Sojiro was confused. “Well, whatever. Have a good day at school. And remember: Don’t try and cause any trouble.” Ren nodded and left.

Ren took the train to the Shujin station and made her way out. It was still raining. She made her way to the crosswalk. Someone walked up next to her. Ren looked, and it was another girl next to her in a Shujin uniform, albeit with a few personal touches. She lowered her hood to reveal a set of long, fluffy, blonde pigtails. They looked back at Ren and Ren was a little surprised.

A car came up and stopped right in front of them. The man driving it was wearing a white shirt and sweatpants. “Hey, you need a ride?” he asked. The girl next to her tensed up, but walked in. The man turned to Ren. “You too. How about it?” Ren was confused.

“It’s OK,” said the other girl. Ren seemed worried. It almost sounded like a cry for help. Ren nodded and got in the back.

The car took off. Ren looked out the window to see a blonde boy trying, but failing, to catch up to the car. “We should pick that boy up too,” she said.

The man looked in his rear-view mirror. “It’s OK. He can take care of himself.” Ren noticed the girl in the passenger’s seat clench her fist. The man went on. “So, you’re the transfer student?” This caught the other girl off guard. “Hm. I hope you enjoy Shujin. I hear she’s going to be in your class. Maybe you should show her around.”

“Huh?” said the girl. “Oh. Yeah.”

They arrived at Shujin and got out. “Well, I gotta go park this baby, but I’ll see you both around.” The man went to go park.

Ren looked at the other girl. She seemed to be contemplating something. “Are you OK?” Ren asked.

“Huh? Oh yeah” said the other girl. “So, you’re in my class, huh.” She extended her hand. “I’m Ann Takamaki.”

Ren shook her hand. “Ren Amamiya.”

“Well, Ren-chan, shall I show you around?” Ann asked. “Oops. Sorry. That was a bit too forward, wasn’t it?”

Ren smiled. “I like that. Do you mind if I call you Ann-chan?”

Ann blushed. “J-just ‘Ann’ is fine.”

“OK” Ren nodded. “If you call me just ‘Ren’.’”

Ann smiled. “Deal! Ren.” She paused, smiling at the moment. “Anyway, let’s get going. We don’t want to be late.” Ren nodded at the two headed off. On their way, Ann spotted someone. She grabbed Ren’s wrist to stop her. “Hey! Shiho!” Ann called out.

Shiho was finishing up talking with another student. She looked up. “Oh. Hey Ann!”

Ann dragged Ren to meet Shiho. “You seem cheerful. Did something happen?”

“Well, you’ve been telling me to have more confidence in myself,” Shiho said. “You finally got to me.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” Ann said.

Shiho looked at Ren. “Who’s this?”

“Ah, right,” Ann said. “This is Ren. She’s transferred here. She’s apparently in my class.” Ren waved.

“I see,” said Shiho. She bowed to Ren. “Welcome to Shujin. I hope you enjoy your time here.”

Ren smiled. That was the first time she heard those words from someone who sounded like they meant it. “Thank you,” she said.

“Ah, I see you’re getting along” said a voice. The girls turned to see the man that had driven Ann and Ren to school that morning. Ren looked at him curious, Ann looked at him saddened, and Shiho glared at him. The man smiled. “Well, as much as I would like to see you building your friendships, you should be getting to class. I’ll see you later.” He walked off.

Shiho continued her glare until he was out of sight. “Hey Ann. There’s something I want to talk about with you after school. Is that OK?”

Ann looked at Shiho. “Hm? Of course. Anything for you.”

Shiho smiled. “Great. I’ll see you then.” Shiho turned and started walking to her class.

Ann looked at Ren. “We should get going too.” The two started walking. Ann giggled. “I’m glad you got to see Shiho like that. She’s been kind of down lately. I’ve been trying to cheer her up.”

Ren looked at her and said “Well, whatever you did, it seemed to work.” Ann looked dejected. “I’m sorry. Did I say something wrong?”

Ann looked at Ren, surprised. “Huh? Oh. No. Not at all. I’m just lost in thought is all.” They arrived  at their classroom. “Oh, I guess you should go to the faculty office to meet with our homeroom teacher, huh? Well, see you when class starts.” Ann walked in.

Ren went to the faculty office and met with Kawakami. “Oh. Hey…” Kawakami seemed exhausted. She sighed. “I was kind of hoping you wouldn’t show up today. Oh!” she said, catching what she said. “Sorry… Why me?”

Ren looked over this woman. “Are you alright?” she asked.

“That doesn’t concern you!” Kawakami said, defensively. She sighed again. “Sorry… Anyway, let’s get to class.” Kawakami led Ren to their classroom. The two of them stood in front of the class. “Good morning everyone,” Kawakami said. “This is Ren Amamiya. She will be joining our class today.”

Ren decided to give her a break. She simply bowed and said “Pleasure to meet you. I hope we can become friends.”

“Thank you” said Kawakmi with a bit of levity in her voice. “Anyway, you can have a seat over there; behind Takamaki-san.” Ren was surprised and delighted. She walked over, and Ann smiled at her as she passed. Ren took her seat. “Now, let’s begin,” Kawakami said.

The rest of the day, school was relatively normal. She was a bit worried what people would think of her, but to her surprise, most people seemed to get along with her just fine. She had Ann to help her out when she needed it. The two of them even shared lunch.

After class was over, she was chatting with Ann for a bit. Ann then excused herself to go to the bathroom. Ren decided that she should gather her things up as well and meet her to head out. It was then that an announcement played. “Attention! Will Ren Amamiya report to the P.E. faculty office?” Ren was confused, but decided to play it safe and not cause any trouble for now. She headed over there with some assistance, who looked a little frightened. Ren decided to build up her guard.

She got there and opened the door to find the man that drove her to school this morning stretching. “Oh hey” he said. “Glad you can make it. Please, close the door.” Ren steeled herself and did as she was told. “So, how are you enjoying your time at Shujin?”

Ren was a bit hesitant. “It’s going well,” she said.

“Good. Good. I’m glad to hear that” the man said. He stopped stretching. “I’m going to get straight to the point.” Ren’s heart rate sped up immensely as the man walked over to her. “I think you’re cute.”

Ren backed up a bit. “OK?”

The man placed his hand on the wall and got in closer. “What do you think about me? Aren’t I stunning?”

“In a sense” Ren said nervously.

The man glared at her. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing,” Ren said.

The man backed up and folded his arms. He cocked a grin. “You think you’re special, huh?”

“Excuse me?” Ren said.

“You need to know your place here” the man said. “I’m kind of a big deal. You should treat me with some respect.”

Ren dropped the innocent act. “Maybe you should do the same for me,” she said back.

The man scoffed. “Respect? A criminal?” Ren was shook. “Don’t think I don’t know. My word is law around here. With one word, your past becomes intimate knowledge among the student body.” Ren was shaken. “Unless of course, you’re willing to submit to me.”

Ren wasn’t sure what to do. She didn’t want to submit. She couldn’t. If she didn’t submit to someone who would grant her powers beyond her wildest dreams, she could resist this horrid man's advances. And yet, her reputation at her new school was at risk. Still, that was no reason to give in. “I...I…”

The door opened behind her. It was Ann. “KAMOSHIDA!” she yelled.

“Huh?” said Kamoshida.

Ann looked at the scene playing out. She was horrified. “Just what do you think you’re doing?!”

“Me? I wasn’t doing anything” Kamoshida said.

“BULLSHIT!” Ann yelled. “You’re clearly trying something.”

“I was just trying to get to know her better,” Kamoshida said, with a shit-eating grin.

“LIAR!” Ann yelled.

“Oh? And how would you know?” Kamoshida asked. Ann was taken off guard. “That’s right, you can’t prove anything.”

“It’s OK,” said Shiho, approaching. “I’ll deal with this. You just get Ren somewhere safe.”

Ann was surprised. “Right,” she said. She grabbed Ren and ran off.

Kamoshida called out “HEY! GET BACK HERE, YOU BITCH!” He turned to Shiho and glared at her. “I hope you’re prepared for an intense one-on-one training session today” he spewed. “You just cost me my chance to bag the new girl!” He started to approach Shiho.

“Go ahead,” Shiho said.

Kamoshida froze in his tracks. “Huh?”

“You can do whatever you want with me for now,” Shiho continued.

Kamoshida stepped back. “Wh-What are you going on about?”

“Soon, you will have no power over me. Or anyone in this school for that matter” Shiho added. Kamoshida was scared. “Huh? Don’t tell you don’t like strong girls? Well guess what? I found my strength. And pretty soon, you and your whole facade will be up in embers!” Kamoshida looked at her, as if he was looking at death itself. “Well, I guess we aren’t going to do anything. See you around.” Shiho left. Kamoshida fell to his knees.

Meanwhile, Ann and Ren were still running. It wasn’t until they made it to the entrance that they stopped to breath. Ren looked up to Ann and said “Thanks.”

Ann rushed to give Ren a hug. She was crying. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry.” She kept repeating those words.

Ren wasn’t entirely what to do. So she did what came naturally. She hugged Ann back. Ann stopped apologizing and Ren said “Thank you. I'm glad I have a friend like you.” Ann’s tears intensified.

After Ann cried all that she could, she and Ren broke free. Ren felt compelled to ask. “So, what is that guy’s deal?”

Ann looked disappointed with herself. She sighed. “That’s Kamoshida. He’s the school’s gym teacher, the volleyball coach, and an Olympic gold medalist.”

Ren looked at Ann. “Does he do this often?”

“Yeah…” said Ann. “He’s notorious for all sorts of bullshit. He abuses his students, and makes advances on anything with a vagina! Manipulating to get what he wants! I hate it!”

“Why doesn’t anyone do anything about it?” Ren asked.

“”Because the school likes him too much” Ann said, angry. “He’s a gold medalist. Of course the school wants to keep him around. They’ll believe all the lies and the bullshit to make that claim.” Ann sighed. “Honestly, nothing short of a revolution is going to get Kamoshida out of this school.”

Ren’s phone beeped from in her bag. “Navigating.”

The world warped around the two girls. They were both surprised. “Huh? Ann said. “What’s going on?”

“Oh no” Ren said, pretty sure that this was related to what’s been happening to her.

The school started to fade from existence; being replaced little by little with an 18th century French town. Soon, that was all there was. The school had vanished. “No way,” Ann said, looking at the landscape around her.

“You have arrived,” Ren’s phone said.

Chapter 3: Versailles

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren and Ann looked around at their new surroundings. “Wh-What’s going on?!” Ann demanded. “We need to call someone!” She got out her phone. Her face went pale. “Huh?”

Ren looked over her shoulder to see that Ann now had the app she had. Ren took out her phone and tapped the app. She looked at it. In black were the words “Kamoshida” and “School” but in white was the word “Revolution”. Ren was curious about that, but didn’t think that it was the most important thing going on right now. “We should get out of here,” she said.

Ann turned to her. “Huh? Oh, right. Yeah.” They looked around. “Where should we go?”

Ren shrugged. “I guess we could see if people are here.”

Ann nodded. “Good idea.” The two girls wandered the city calling out to people. They managed to catch a glimpse of a person, but they went into hiding as soon as they were spotted. “Hey! Get back here!” Ann called, running up to them. Ren followed her.

Eventually the two caught up to the person to find a boy with short blue hair wearing a peasant’s wardrobe. Ann was shocked. “Hey, aren’t you on the volleyball team? And you’re in our class, right? Your name’s Mishima.”

Ren did recognize the boy from her class. From what Ren could tell, he seemed like the type that could break down at the drop of a hat. After hearing he was on the volleyball team, it made sense.

Mishima spoke up. “You’re...you’re not agents of the king, are you?”

“Huh? King?” Ann said, confused. “No! We just got here! We need to get out!”

“But, wasn’t there a decree from the king for her to be summoned?” Mishima said, pointing at Ren.

The two girls were confused. “Decree?” Ann said.

Trumpets blared. “ATTENTION! ANNOUNCING THE ARRIVAL OF THE KING!”

Mishima gasped. “I gotta get outta here.” Mishima ran and hid.

Ann looked determined to figure this out. “Let’s go see what this ‘king’ thing is about!” Ren nodded and the two went towards the sound of the announcement. When they got to the square, they were shocked and hauled by the sight they were greeted with. “What the hell?”

Four strange-looking knights were carrying a litter in the shape of a throne made of gold. And on it was an all too familiar face. Kamoshida. He was wearing a crown, a cape adorned with hearts, boxers also adorned with hearts, and nothing else.

Ann and Ren looked at the litter some more. “WHAT THE HELL?!” Next to Kamoshida was Ann. But this Ann was wearing a bikini and cat ears. They looked more. They saw a figure of Ren at Kamoshida’s feet, wearing torn up prison garb that accentuated her feminine features. “I think I’m going to be sick.”

“Listen up!” said Kamoshida. “I’ve heard tell that SOME people don’t like how I treat this town, and are planning on overthrowing me! WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?! They need to be THOROUGHLY PUNISHED!” Ren and Ann looked around. All over, they could see townspeople hiding. “WELL?!”

Ann clenched her fists. “WHAT’S GOING ON?!” she yelled. That caught the attention of the knights and King Kamoshida. “WHAT IS ALL THIS?!”

Kamoshida looked her and Ren over. “So. You think you can impersonate my queen and newest toy and get away with it?!”

“What?!” Ann said.

“Like, she’s totally not doing, like, a good job of it,” said the other Ann. “Isn’t that right?” She was addressing the other Ren. The other Ren seemed too scared to say anything, simply nodding in agreement. “I, like, thought so. Isn’t the punishment for that, like, death?”

Kamoshida looked the real versions of them over. “Well, as pale of imitations as they are, they still look rather stunning… Tell you what: I’m going to go easy on you. Guards! Rough them up a bit, then bring them to my chambers!”

Yes sir!” said the knights.

“HELL NO!” Ann screamed. “I’d rather die!”

Kamoshida scoffed. “Very well. If you insist.” He waved his hand and more knights showed up. “This oughta be fun.”

The knights surrounded Ann and Ren. “For King Kamoshida!” one called out.

“For King Kamoshida!” The other knights called out.

The knights were simply too powerful, and pushed Ann to the ground. “No...this can’t be it…” Ann called.

Ren was frightened. Knights were surrounding her as well, but she tried to keep her distance. Just what was she getting involved in? And why did her new friend get brought into it as well? Maybe I’m in over my head.

“What’s the matter?” a voice in Ren’s head called out. She remembered that voice. It was the same as when she rejected that figure’s offer. Only this time, it was much louder, causing Ren to struggle. “Are you simply going to watch? Or run away? Death awaits her if you do nothing. Was your previous decision a mistake?”

Ren remembered saving that woman. Even though it went bad for her, she knew in her heart that she would do it again if given the opportunity. “No” Ren told the voice.

The voice answered back. “Very well. I have heeded your resolve. Vow to me! I am thou! Thou art I! Thou who art willing to perform all sacrilegious acts for thine own justice! Call upon my name, and release thy rage! Show the strength of thy will to ascertain all on thine own, though thou be chained to Hell itself!"

A mask formed on Ren’s face. Ren grabbed it with both hands. She struggled to tear it off. She shouted “Arsene!” and her mask came off. Her face was pouring blood. She was also wearing a dress shirt, black pants, black shoes, red gloves, and a black coat.  Standing behind her was a figure, wearing a similar dress shirt with a white cravat, pink sleeves and legs, black shoes, a black mask, a blue flame for a head, long wispy brown hair, a black top hat, black clawed hands, and black wings.

“What?!” said Kamoshida. “Stop her!” The knights charged her, but Ren directed Arsene to defeat them, which they did. Ren continued her assault on the knights and eventually freed Ann. Kamoshida was now shaken. “You’re going to regret this! Get me out of here!”

“Yes sir!” said the knights carrying him turned around and ran back to his castle in the distance.

Arsene disappeared and Ren’s mask reappeared on her face. Ann looked off at the fleeing Kamoshida. “Well…THAT was something.” She turned to look at Ren. “Woah! What’s with the look?” Ren looked over her new clothes. “They look…”

Ren smiled. “Cute? Dashing? Tre Manifique? All of the above?” she said. Ann looked uncertain. “The answer is D. ‘All of the Above.’”

Ann eventually cracked a smile, giggled, and said “If you say so.” She looked around. “While, whatever just happened was cool and everything, we’re still no closer to escaping whatever this place is.”

“You’re right,” Ren said. “Let’s keep looking.”

The two went further into the village when they were approached by two girls also dressed as peasants. “Hey! What you did back there was really cool!” one of them said.

“Yeah!” the other one said. “We could really use someone like for.” “Me?” Ren said.

“For what?” Ann asked.

The first girl answered. “Well, remember when the king said people were plotting to overthrow him. Well, it’s true.”

The other girl added “Our leader just began rallying people for this endeavor. And we think you two might just fit in!”

“Us?” Ann said. She thought about it. “Well, if it’s about taking Kamoshida down a peg, then sure. We’ll help.” Ren looked at Ann confused. “Well, it’s not like we’re getting out of here anytime soon. And who knows? Maybe this could be fun.”

“NO!” shouted a voice. A slingshot pellet landed between the four girls. Ren and Ann turned around to see a cat-looking thing on its hind legs with a yellow scarf aiming a slingshot. The two peasant girls ran away.

“What was that for?” Ann asked.

“Follow me” the cat said.

Ann wasn’t sure what to make of this, but Ren somehow knew to trust this cat. She put her hand on Ann’s shoulder and said “I think this cat’s alright.”

“I’m more than alright” they said. “I’m amazing! Now let’s go. You wanna get out of here, right?” They walked off. Ren followed after.

Ann was shocked, wondering what’s going on. She decided to go with them as well. “Hey! Wait for me!” The three of them were walking for a bit. Soon, they were outside of the village, and at a bridge over a moat leading to a castle. “Where are we going anyways? You said you’d let us out of here.”

“Just hold on,” said the cat. “We’re almost there.”

“Halt!” said a voice. Two knights showed up. “We’re under orders from the king to capture you!”

The cat smirked. “Hm. Judging by your outfit, you’ve awakened to your Perona as well. Wanna show these two what for?”

Ren nodded. “Arsene!”

The cat faced the other knight. “Zorro!” A Persona appeared above the cat. The knights then morphed into Pixie and Jack O'Lantern. With the two of them working together, they made easy work of the shadows. “Looks like you’ve got a real knack for this. Now let’s go!”

“WAIT!” Ann shouted. “I’m not going ANYWHERE until someone explains what’s going on!”

The cat had an uneasy look on their face. “...Fine,” they said. “My name is Morgana. I was created by Igor to assist this person” he said, pointing to Ren.

“Huh?” Ann said.

Ren was rather embarrassed. “Sorry” she said. “I’ll explain.” Ren detailed the information she was given to Ann.

“Woah! I can hardly believe it” Ann said. “So, you were supposed to fight this Yaldabaoth thing, but someone hijacked their plan?”

“Basically” said Ren

“But, how does that explain any of this?!” Ann asked.

“Tag me in!” Morgana said. Ren raised her hand. Morgana jumped and they high-fived. “Now, what you are seeing around you is the Metaverse.”

“Metaverse?” Ann said.

“Yes,” said Morgana. “Basically, think of it as the collective unconscious of all of humanity. Now, sometimes, when a human’s desires become so warped, it leads to the creation of these things called Palaces.”

Ann looked around. “But, this doesn’t look like much of a palace. It looks more like a village.”

“Yes, well…” Morgana said. “Due to this figure taking over Yaldabaoth’s plan, the nature of the palaces have changed.” Morgana looked at Ren. “You noticed it too, right? On your phone?”

Ren took out her phone and loaded up the app. “You mean the difference in the text?”

Morgana nodded. “That’s exactly right. The two words in black represent the original distortion.”

“‘Kamoshida’ and ‘School’” Ren clarified.

“Yes,” Morgana said. “But the text in white represents how the cognition has changed.”

“‘Revolution’” Ren pointed out.

Ann frowned. “Oh. So it’s my fault we’re here” she said.

Ren placed her hand on her shoulder. “Hey” she said. Ann looked up. “I was told I’d have to face this anyway. In a way, you’ve helped me. And in another way, I should be the one apologizing. You shouldn’t have been dragged into something like this.”

Ann smiled. “Thanks. But, now that I am here, I’d like to help however I can. After all, we’re in this together.” Ren nodded.

“Anyway” Morgana said. “While the cognition has changed, the goal remains the same.”

“What do you mean?” Ren asked.

“In order for this cognition to subside, we need to steal a treasure!” Morgana clarified.

“Treasure?” Ann said.

Morgana nodded. “It is the source of the palace ruler’s distorted desires. If we take that, the ruler will have a change of heart.”

“I see,” Ann said. “So, what does that mean?”

“It means that this Kamoshida person will confess their crimes!” Morgana said.

“Oh” said Ann. She looked determined. “Then definitely count me in! But hold on, wasn’t that what the village people were going to do. They said they wanted to overthrow Kamoshida.”

Morgana glared at Ann. “That’s part of this new figure’s trick,” he explained. “The takeover of the cognition is only the beginning. Their end goal is the death of Kamoshida.”

“D-Death?!” Ann said. “Hold on! While that bastard might deserve a lot, no one deserves to die!”

“So, how does this death play out?” Ren asked.

“Most of the beings you’ve seen are cognitions; part of the universe here” Morgana explained. “They have no connection to their real-world counterparts. However, Kamoshida does. If the Kamoshida here dies, the Kamoshida of the real world will suffer a mental breakdown and die as well.”

“Wait, that sounds like those mental shutdown things that are happening” Ann said. Ren was confused. “Huh? Oh right. I guess you just got here. Recently, there’s been a series of unexplained incidents where people have suffered mental shutdowns or mental breakdowns. It’s really bizarre.”

“Another part of Yaldabaoth’s original plan” Morgana said. “I guess that had to carry over.”

“So, we just need to go and steal Kamoshida’s treasure here and he won’t die and will be punished for his crimes?” Ann said. “I’m in.”

Ren had another question. “How is this cognition being hijacked?” she asked.

“Good question,” Morgana said. “Just as this place was created out of Kamoshida’s distorted desires, it was hijacked by someone else’s desire for revenge.”

“Do you know who that is?” Ren asked.

“That, I don’t know,” Morgana said. “Would either of you know anyone who hate Kamoshida so much that they would want to kill him?”

“Believe me, I can count on one hand the number of people who DON’T want him dead” Ann said.

“I see,” Morgana said. “Well, if that’s the case, I’ll do some more investigation over here. For now, you two need to leave. I’ll contact you when I have more information.”

“Right,” Ann said. “So, where is the exit?”

“Over here” Morgana said. He guided them to the exit and soon the two girls found themselves outside of Shujin Academy, and Ren had changed back into her school uniform.

“Man, what a day” Ann said. Their stomachs growled. “Hey, why don’t we get something to eat. My treat.” Ren nodded. On their way, Ren called Sojiro to tell him that she’s grabbing dinner with a friend. “Here we are,” said Ann. Ren looked up to see a monjayaki place. “Trust me, this place is great.” The two headed inside.

When the two started eating their food, Ren immediately loved it. “See? I told you this was great!” Ann said. Ren nodded. “So, there’s something that’s been kind of bothering me. About Kamoshida’s cognition.”

“Of you?” Ren asked.

Ann looked sad. She sighed. “As much as it sickens me, I’m not surprised Kamoshida thinks of me that way. A lot of people seem to think of me like that.”

“I’m sorry,” Ren said.

Ann smiled. “It’s OK. I have people like Shiho who see me for who I really am.” She then got more serious. “What concerns me is how Kamoshida saw you.” Ren was shocked. “You were wearing this prison garb, and you looked scared to death. Like you had no choice but to be submissive to Kamoshida.” Ren started to shake a little. “Hey! Sorry. It’s OK if you don't want to tell me.”

Ren looked at Ann and smiled. She sighed. “I just don’t want you to stop being my friend…”

Ann took Ren’s hand. “Ren, listen. After everything we’ve been through today, there’s no way we’d stop being friends.”

Ren smiled and nodded. She sighed. “The truth is, I have a record.”

“Record? Of what?” Ann asked.

“An arrest record” Ren clarified.

Ann was stunned. “Oh.”

“And Kamoshida knows about it,” Ren said. “And he told me he’d tell the whole school if I didn’t do as he says.”

It was silent for a moment. Ann broke the silence “That bastard!” she said. Ren sighed a sigh of relief. “So, what did you get arrested for anyway? Being too cute?”

Ren snickered. “Thanks. But no…” Ren explained what had happened. She figured that if Ann was willing to not be scared of her for her record, she could tell her the truth about this. “See, what happened was, some guy was harassing this woman. I stepped in to help her, and the guy fell. He then claimed that I pushed him down, and the police sided with him instantly.”

Ann was clearly angry. “What a jerk,” she said. “He sounds like Kamoshida. Manipulating things to get his way.” Ren smiled, relaxing completely. “Listen, if there’s anything you need, don’t hesitate to ask me, OK?”

Ren nodded. “Same goes for me too.”

Ann giggled. “Of course!”

Ren felt a surge of energy inside her.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Lovers Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 1

“Well, it’s getting kind of late,” Ann said. “We should head home for now. I’m sure that cat thing, Morgana was it, will find something. We should get rested up for then.” Ren nodded. The two left to go home for the night.

Notes:

I hope I explained the nature of the changes well enough. And I hope you enjoy these changes to the story as well. This kind of thing is can be tricky. Personally I love it, but I am the one writing the story. Just so you know, there are going to be some timeline changes as well coming up, just to make things make sense for my story, as well at least one change that is done because I just kind of want to. But yeah, an awakening, an explanation, and the first Confidant. What fun. I hope you enjoyed it.

Chapter 4: Meetings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren got on the train heading to school the next day. The train was really packed. Ren found herself standing near a fellow Shujin student who was sitting down. She had bright red hair in a long ponytail.

She looks at Ren. There is a shocked expression on each of their faces as their eyes meet. Both of them are too nervous to say anything.

“Ohhh.” They turn to see an old lady groaning. The student sitting down says “Um, excuse me. Would you like my seat?”

The old lady smiles. “Thank you. You’re a kind young lady.”

The student gets up, but before the old lady can sit down, a businessman rushes to take the seat. “Um, excuse me” says the student. The businessman fell asleep. “O-Oh.”

Ren looks at the situation in front of her. “Want me to wake him?” she asked.

“Huh?” says the student. “Oh. Um, I’m not sure we should do that. We don’t want to cause a disturbance after all.” She turns to the old lady. “Sorry.”

“It’s quite alright,” she says. “It isn’t your fault.”

“R-right” she says. “It’s not my fault…”

“Now arriving at Shujin Academy!”

“Well, have a good day at school you two” the old lady says. “And thanks again.”

The two of you get off. “We will!” the other student says. She bows. Ren decides to bow as well. The train closes and takes off. The other student turns to Ren and says “Sorry you kind of got dragged into that.”

Ren smiled. “Hey, I offered to help.”

“Right” the other student says.

“You seem distracted,” Ren said. “Are you doing alright?”

“Huh?” the other student replied. “Oh. Yeah.” She sighs. “I guess I’m just nervous is all.”

“Want some company on our way to school?” Ren asked.

“Huh? Oh. Sure” the other student said. The two walk close together to school. “So, how do you enjoy Shujin?” she asked.

Ren looked at her. “Well, I’ve only been here for a day, so I wouldn’t have a lot of insight.”

“Huh?” the other student says. “You’re a first year too?”

Ren shakes her head. “I’m a second year transfer student.”

“Oh. I see” the other girl says. “So, I guess that makes you my senpai.” Ren chuckled. The two reached the school gates. “Well, I’ll see you around senpai!”

Ren raised her eyebrow. “Hey! What’s your name?”

The other student got embarrassed. “Oh. Right. My name is Yoshizawa. What about you, senpai?”

Ren smiled. “Ren Amamiya,” she said. 

Yoshizawa smiled. “Well, Ren-senpai, if you don’t mind me calling you that, we shall meet again soon!” She walked into school and to her class. Ren did the same.

On her way to class, Ren was stopped by the blonde boy that Kamoshida failed to pick up yesterday. “Hey” he said. Ren looked at him. “Listen. I don’t know what Takamaki told you, but Kamoshida’s a bad dude.”

“I’m aware,” Ren said.

“Huh?” the boy says. “Oh. I just saw you riding with him is all. I thought maybe… Well, whatever. Just be careful.” He looks at Ren closely. “You know, I haven’t seen you around before dude. Er, dudette? Ugh. Sorry. I haven’t talked to many girls like this before.”

“I can tell” Ren chided.

“Sh-Shut up” the boy said. “So, does that mean you’re new?” Ren nodded. “Huh. I see. Well then, make sure to steer double clear of Kamoshida, alright? And maybe from Takamaki as well.”

Before Ren could answer, Ann walked up to the two of them. “What are you going on about, Sakamoto?”

Sakamoto looked surprised. He then glared at Ann. “What’s it to you? You’re probably trying to bring her into the cult of Kamoshida”

Ann’s eyes widened. She slapped Sakamoto in the face. “You don’t know what you’re talking about!”

“Come on! Everyone knows about you and Kamoshida!” Sakamoto, rubbing his face. “It’s like the school’s worst kept secret!”

Ann was getting really furious. Before Ann could react, Ren chimed in. “Actually, Ann helped save me from Kamoshida.” The two of them looked at Ren. “Yesterday, he called me to his office, and…”

“Huh?” said Sakamoto. “Wait, for REAL?! That was you?!”

“Uh, YEAH!” Ann said. “Couldn’t you tell from the announcement?!”

“Hey! It’s not like I know everyone who goes to this school!” Sakamoto said. “And it’s not like many people are itching to be my friend anyway!”

Ann sighed. “I guess you’re right. Sorry.”

Sakamoto smiled. “Don’t be. You’re just standing up for her, right? In fact, I should be the one to apologize.”

“Huh?” Ann said.

“She said you saved her from Kamoshida, right?” Sakamoto said. “I guess that means all those rumors flying around about you two are bunk, huh.”

Ann looked at him confused. “Wait! How do you trust her already? I mean, if you thought I was ‘bringing her into the cult of Kamoshida’, what makes you think she’s not already in?”

“Huh?” Sakamoto said. “I dunno. I guess I just feel something from her. Like, I can just trust her.”

“I see,” said Ann.

The bell rings. “Oh CRAP! I gotta get to class!” Sakamoto said. “Seeya!” He ran off.

“So, what’s that guy’s deal?” Ren asked.

Ann smiled. “That’s Ryuji Sakamoto. He’s kind of a friend of mine.”

“Kind of?” Ren asked.

“Well, we were closer in middle school,” Ann said. “But when we got to high school, we kind of drifted apart.” She clenched her fist. “All because of that stupid Kamoshida.”

Ren was curious. “What happened?”

Ann was shocked. “Well, uh… It’s kind of hard to explain” she said. “Anyway, we should be getting to class.” The two of you start walking. “Oh, by the way. We’re meeting up after school to discuss yesterday, right?” Ren nods. “Good. I don’t want to just ignore whatever that was.”

Ren giggled. “I don’t either.” The two went to class.

Before class began, Miss  Kawakami  addressed the class. “Alright, just so you know, tomorrow is the volleyball exhibition, which means there won’t be any afternoon classes. You are to report to the gym after lunch. Are we clear?” The class was in agreement. “Good. I don’t want to deal with any unnecessary trouble.”

After school, Ren and Ann stood up. “Hey” said Ann. “Let’s meet out by the vending machines.” Ren nodded. The two of them walked to a shelter outside with a table and some vending machines. “Great. Now, let’s evaluate what we know so far.”

Ren nodded. “We know that Kamoshida has dark desires.”

“Talk about an understatement” Ann said.

Ren continued. “It seems like those desires have affected this ‘Metaverse’ place.”

“That part is kind of hard to wrap my head around,” Ann said. “So basically, that ‘Metaverse’ is like the human unconscious, right? And because Kamoshida’s desires are so warped, they change that place? Ugh, this is like something out of a sci-fi movie.”

“Imagine not having someone there to help you with it” Ren said, wryly.

Ann giggled. “Sorry.

“It’s fine,” Ren said. She got back in thought. “If things were to have played out without interruption we’d just have to deal with Kamoshida. However, since things got interrupted, someone’s desire for revenge took over Kamoshida’s desire. And in doing so, they have vowed to kill Kamoshida.”

“I see,” Ann said. “To be honest, I still have trouble wrapping my head around things. But, we need to use that Metaverse to stop both Kamoshida and whoever took over his palace before things get bad.”

“But we don’t know who that is, or when that would be,” Ann retorted.

“Well then,” said Ren, we need to investigate!”

“Right,” Ann said.

“There you are!” a voice called out. Ren and Ann turned to find Shiho. “I’ve been looking for you.”

“Oh, hey Shiho” Ann said. “How are you doing?”

Shiho smiled. “I’m feeling better than ever!”

Ann sighed in relief. “I’m glad. I’ve been kind of worried since yesterday. So, what happened between you Kamoshida after we left?”

Shiho giggled. “I just laid down the new law is all.”

Ren and Ann were confused. “What?” Ann said.

”It’s simple,” Shiho said. “I told Kamoshida what’s what. More importantly, how are you two doing?”

Ren looked at Shiho. “Well, what happened with Kamoshida wasn’t ideal, but thanks to you two, I feel better.”

“Huh?”Ann said. “Oh. Thanks.I’ve been feeling pretty alright myself.”

“Good. Good. I’m glad to hear that” Shiho said. She smiled.

“So, what’s with that grin?” Ann asked. “And what’s this about a ‘new law’?”

Shiho giggled. “I have a plan on dealing with Kamoshida, and I’d like your help with it.”

Ren and Ann look at each other distressed. Ren whispered “You don’t think…”

Ann turned back to Shiho with an intense look in her eye. “So, what’s your plan Shiho? I’m all ears.”

Shiho smirked back. “I need you to promise you won’t tell anyone.”

Ann and Ren grew worried. “We promise,” Ann said.

“Great!” said Shiho. “So, you know how there’s a teacher's meeting coming up at the beginning of next month?”

“Yeah…” Ann said.

“Well, my plan is to organize a group of students to block all of the exits and set fire to the building!”

“WHAT?!” Ann said. “Shiho that’s CRAZY! For one, what about the other teachers?!”

Shiho got mad. “To Hell with them!” Ann got frightened. “They know about what’s going on! The constant abuse! The never ending harassment! The way he treats all the female students like they’re sex objects! And what do they do? NOTHING! So they deserve to go down with Kamshida!”

“Shiho…” Ann said.

“So, are you willing to join up?” Shiho asked.

Ann glared at Shiho. “No.”

“Huh?” Shiho said, confused.

“Shiho this is CRAZY!” Ann said, getting up with vigor. “We can’t just set fire to the building!”

Shiho looked at Ann. “So, you think he should just keep getting away with it all?”

Ann was taken aback. “Well, no… but this is too far!”

Shiho smiled. “It’s OK Ann, I get it.”

Ann looked up. “You...do?”

Shiho giggled. “Sweet, innocent Ann. You don’t have it in your heart to do this kind of thing.”

“Wha-” Ann said.

“You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to,” Shiho said. She looked at Ren. “The same goes for you.” She looked down. “To be honest, I kind of wish I had your resolve.” Ann and Ren were concerned. “But I can’t. I can’t let him live. Not after everything he’s done!”

“Shiho…” said Ann.

Shiho smiled and giggled. “It’s OK,” she said. “After all, I have plenty of other people to help me. Farewell.” Shiho left.

Ann and Ren looked at each other. “Hey Ren. Let’s visit that other world. Maybe that Morgana figure might know if Shiho is the one who’s inciting the revolution in that other world.” Ren nodded.

Soon, the two found themselves in the other world. They looked around. Ann looked at Ren. “Woah, you’re back in your costume!”

Ren looked. Sure enough, she was. “I guess this world has an eye for fashion.”

“If only it were that simple” said a voice. The two turned around to find Morgana.

“Morgana?” Ren said.

“Those clothes appear when you’re considered a threat to the palace ruler” Morgana said.

“I see” said Ren.

“Wait, why don’t I have anything like that?” Ann said.

Morgana looked Ann over. “I guess because you haven’t awakened to your Persona yet.”

“Oh. Yeah” Ann said. They looked at Morgana. “Hey Morgana, have you found anything yet.”

Morgana looked disconcerted. “Well, sort of.” Ren and Ann were curious. “Some of Kamoshida’s guards have been in town putting up posters. Apparently, someone has gone missing from his castle. The guards have been searching feverishly for them. I think whoever that might be might be the one who took over the cognition.”

Ren and Ann looked at each other, nodded, and looked back at Morgana. “Hey Morgana,” Ann began, “would that person happen to be named Shiho Suzui?”

Morgana looked at them. “I was just about to begin investigating when you two showed up. Wanna come with?”

“Sure,” said Ren. She and Morgana began walking. Ren looked back to see Ann not moving. “Hey.” Ren walked back over to her. “It’s OK if you don’t want to be here.”

Ann smiled. “It’s fine. I want to be here. Let’s go!” They nodded and walked off.

Once they got into town, Morgana stopped the two of them. “Hold it!” he said. “Kamoshida’s guards are crawling all around. We bet be careful.”

Ren nodded. “If worse comes to worse, the two of us can fight them off.” Ren and Morgana nodded. They continued into town.

All over town, the group saw these posters. “Those are the ones the guards have been putting up.”

Ann wet up and took one. She was sickened by what she saw on it. It was a picture of Shiho dressed up like a bunny girl, along with the description “Missing: Shiho Suzui. Also known as Kamoshida’s timid bunny. Has been missing since yesterday.”

Ren saw Ann looking at the poster with a thousand-yard stare. “Are you alright?”

“That bastard!” Ann said.

Ren looked at the poster as well. “He is disgusting!”

“I couldn’t agree more,” said a voice. Ren, Ann, and Morgana turned around to see a figure. They emerged to reveal that they are Shiho. However, instead of being dressed up as a bunny, she was dressed as Napoleon Bonaparte. “That’s why I’m leading a revolution against him!”

Ren and Ann looked at each other and nodded. They turned back to Shiho. “Hey Shiho,” Ann asked, “what will the revolution entail?”

Shiho giggled. “Why nothing short of the death of King Kamoshida himself!”

The three of them were shocked. “Hold on, you can’t just kill Kamoshida and have it all be over!” Ann declared.

“Why not?” said Shiho.

Ann glared at her. “Don’t get me wrong, Kamoshida’s a bastard beyond redemption, but killing him isn’t the right option!”

“Oh? And what is?” Shiho said. “He’s taken advantage of everyone here. In my opinion, death might just be too lenient for him.”

Ann was shaken. Ren chimed in. “What about the next person to take advantage of everyone?!”

Shiho smiled menacingly. “We’ll just kill them too.”

Ren was taken aback. “Killing anyone who gets in your way? That’s not justice! That’s just petty.”

Ann tightened her fist. “She’s right! You chastise Kamoshida for doing whatever to get what he wants, but you’re sounding no better than him!”

“Hm” said Shiho. “I’m promising a world of freedom. A world without harassment! The opposite of Kamoshida!”

“But you’re using the same methods!” Ann called out. “Shiho. Please stop. This isn’t like you!”

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “Something’s not right.”

“What’s up?” Ren asked.

Morgana looked Shiho over. “Could it be? But how?!”

Ann took notice. “Morgana, what’s going on?”

“I don’t know how, but that thing in front of us,” Morgana said, “is like the Kamoshida of this world. She’s definitely the source of the take over distortion.”

“And that also means that if we kill her, the real Shiho dies as well?” Ann asked.

“I’m afraid so,” Morgana siad.

Ren smiled. “Well, god thing we have no intention of resorting to murder” she said.

Shiho looked at them curiously. “Oh? And what are you going to do?”

Ren continued her bravado. “It’s simple. We’re going to steal Kamoshida’s distorted desires!”

Shiho was shocked. “Hm. Good luck. That castle of his is more secure than it looks. I barely got out, and even I needed help.” Ren and the others took note of this statement. “There’s no way the likes of you are getting in there and surviving!”

“And what’s your plan?” Ann asked.

“I’m assembling a team,” Shiho said. “We’re going to overwhelm his forces and drag Kamoshida out here to the center of town! Where he will be greeted with this!” She gestured towards a guillotine. “And he’ll be put there. No hesitation. No remorse. Just dead. Then it will all be over.”

Morgana glared at Shiho. “We’ll stop that from happening!”

Ren nodded. “Right Ann?” She looked at Ann. “Ann?”

Ann was in tears. “Shiho…” she said. “This isn’t the Shiho I know. The Shiho I know is kind. Considerate. Always willing to help others.” She nervously stepped forward. “Whatever corrupted you, we will stop it! Then you can go back to being my friend! Mark my words! I WILL SAVE YOU!”

“My... It's taken far too long” said a voice from within Ann, who began struggling. “Tell me... Who is going to help her if you don't? Forgiving him was never the option…”

“You’re right,” Ann said. “But…”

“I know” the voice said. “You wish for a just punishment. For pure freedom. Such is the scream of the other you that dwells within. I am thou, thou art I... We can finally forge a contract.”

A red cat-like mask appeared on Ann’s face. “Of course!”

“There you go... Nothing can be solved by restraining yourself. Understand? Then I'll gladly lend you my strength."

And grabbed her mask. “Let’s go! Carmen!” She tore it off, blood flowing over her face. A surge of energy swept the area. Ann was now in a red catsuit with heels and pink gloves. Her Persona, Carmen, stood behind her.

Shiho was shocked by this power. “Hm” she said, regaining her composure. “Well, it seems like this is your answer.”

“Of course it is!” Ann said. “I’ll make Kamoshida pay and save you!”

Shiho smiled. “Very well. Let’s see if you can do this. You already know the deadline. Can you steal his treasure before then? We shall see”

“Hey! I think that’s her!” one of Kamoshida’s guards says. They bring some back up and investigate.

“Well, I’ll be taking my leave for now” Shiho said, running away.

“Halt!” the guard calls out. “Out of our way!”

“As if,” Ann said. “Ready?” Ren and Morgana nodded. “Then let’s go!” While they were matched in numbers, with Ann awakening to her new Persona, the fight was anything but fair. The shadows were dealt with easily, especially with Ann using Carmen’s fire powers to burn the shadows and Morgana following up with Zorro’s wind to inflict major damage.

“Wow. I can’t believe I did that” Ann said. She looked at her outfit. “Wha-What’s with this outfit?!”

“It’s your will of rebellion” Morgana calmly explained.

Ann was confused. “Will of rebellion?”

Morgana nodded. “Basically, once someone has awakened to their Persona, the outfit that is given to them is a representation of how they rebel against society.”

“Oh” Ann said. “It’s weird that it’s… well, like this… But I kind of get it.”

“That’s the spirit!” Morgana said.

“What do you think Ren?” Ann said.

Ren was a bit taken aback, but remained calm. “I think it looks good.”

“Right?!” Ann said.

“Alright, now that that’s out of the way, let’s find that treasure!”Morgana said.

Before any of them could move, Ann collapsed to the ground. “Ugh!”

“Ann! Are you alright?!” Ren said, rushing to pick her up.

“I’m… fine…” Ann said. “Just a little exhausted is all.”

“We better call it a day here,” Morgana said. “It seems like awakening to her Persona has taken the wind out of her sails.”

Ren lifted Ann up. “Are you OK enough to get to the exit?”

“Yeah. I should be fine” Ann said.

Ren looked at Morgana. “You staying here?”

Morgana thought about it. “I’ll see what other information I can gleam here. I think you two should do the same. I’ll meet you in your world when I’m ready.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said. She and Ann left for the real world.

Upon arrival, Ann said “Man, that was exhausting.”

“Wanna get something to eat?” Ren asked.

“As tempting as that is, I’d rather just head home for the evening,” Ann said. “How were you not this exhausted when you awoke to your Persona?”

“I was,” Ren said. “I just let the adrenaline carry me until I passed out on my bed.”

Ann was shocked. “That’s not healthy, you know.” Ren giggled. “Anyway, tomorrow’s the volleyball exhibition. I think that would be a good time to investigate.”

“Right,” Ren said. “See you there?”

“Of course!” Ann said.

“Can you get home alright?” Ren asked.

“I think I’ll be fine,” Ann said. “But thanks for your concern. Well, good night.”

“Good night,” Ren said. They parted ways and headed home for the evening.

Notes:

Writing combat in a Persona story feels weird, because it's Persona. It really feels like it need to be visual in some aspect, at least from my perspective. Also, since there's supposed to be a lot of it, writing and reading it as is would get repetitive fast. I think it's fine as a game, but as written fiction, I don't think it works. That's just me though.

Chapter 5: Wild Card

Notes:

More Kamoshida stuff. It’s not as bad as last time, but it’s still there. If you would like to skip it, basically it’s everything betwen Ren’s second conversation with Mishima, and the word “My” at the beginning of a new line.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The night as Ren fell asleep, she found herself once again in the Velvet Room. “Welcome” said Igor. “To the Velvet Room.”

“We brought you here tonight to fully explain our role in helping you,” Lavenza said.

“It appears both you and your new friend have awakened to your Persona” Igor states. “I see you have also managed to meet up with our agent, who also has a Persona.” Ren nodded. “Hm hm hm. This is the reason we are here. You see, you possess the trait of the wild card, which allows you to wield multiple Personas. This room helps facilitate that. Lavenza here serves to help fuse Personas, as well as keep track of them.”

“Fuse?” Ren said

“Allow me,” Lavenza said. “While you can carry multiple Personas, there is a limit on how many you can carry. And as you grow stronger, stronger Personas will be required. A way to do that is to fuse Personas. By fusing two or more Personas, you can make even stronger Personas.”

Ren looks further in and finds a guillotine. “Do you kill the Personas?” she asked

“Don’t think of it as ‘killing’” Igor said. “A Persona is merely a mask you wear. It’s an extension of yourself.”

“Additionally, I am here to keep records of all of the Personas you have acquired thus far” Lavenza added on. She shows you the book she’s been carrying. It looks a little big for her. “This is the compendium. It carries within it all of the Personas you have acquired. If you wish, you can call upon any Persona in here at any time.”

Ren looked at Igor. “So, what do you do?”

“Hm hm hm” he chuckled. “I am here to provide other services. As the Master of the Velvet Room, I have the ability to bless you with certain skills. For one, I’ll give you the ability to see special things in the Metaverse. For another, well… Your journey is not one you should take alone. But you know that already.”

“Well, Morgana is already teaming up with me, and Ann already told me she’d help me…” Ren rationalized.

“Yes,” Igor answered. “However, there are more ways for people to help. You are familiar with the bond you share with your new friend, yes?” Ren thinks about the bond she shares with Ann. “The Personas you gather share similarities with the people you bond with. I am also giving you the ability to gain more power out of executions if the resulting Persona shares the trait of someone you share a bond with. This is as much as we can help you with for now, as we aren’t quite sure what this new enemy has in store for you.”

Ren nodded. “Well, it’s a good start.”

Igor chuckled. “You truly are an amusing guest. We shall both continue to assist you. For the time being, return to your world. Farewell.” Ren woke up. She felt a little weird, but was getting used to it. She got up and got ready for school.

Ren was making her way to class when she ran into someone. She recognized him from the other world as the peasant she and Ann talked to. He looked tired. “Hey” she said. “Are you alright?”

“Huh?” the boy said, looking up. He looked at Ren further and litup. “Uh, yeah” he said. “Just a bit exhausted is all.” He sighed. “Today’s the volleyball rally. I’m supposed to participate, but I don’t know if I have the energy for it. Oh, sorry. I forgot. I haven’t introduced myself to you yet. I’m Yuuki Mishima. Most people just call me Mishima though.” He sighed again.

Ren can see he’s trying, but lacks energy. “Don’t worry Mishima!” she said. “You can do this!”

Mishima looked surprised and then smiled. “Yeah! With you cheering for me, I know I can do it!”

“Glad to hear it,” Ren said.

“Although…” Mishima said, scheming something. “It might just come true with a kiss for good luck.” He puckered his lips.

Ren was astounded at the quick turnaround for this. She simply smiled and said “Don’t push your luck.”

“ACK!” Mishima said. “Sorry. It’s just, I’ve seen stuff like that work before. I figured I just might give it a try.”

Ren tilted her head. “Does that stuff actually work?”

“Well, I thought it did,” Mishima answered. “Maybe I didn’t do it right…”

Ren felt a little sorry for him, yet at the same time a little bit of contempt. She knew then that Mishima was no ordinary person. Still, his heart seemed to be in the right place. He wasn’t forcing himself on her like Kamoshida attempted to. So she opted to throw him a bone. “While your execution could use a little work, I’m also not the right target for you.”

“Huh?!” Mishima said. “Why not?”

She thought about it. “Not telling.”

“Hey!, Don’t just leave me hanging like that!” Mishima said.

“Sorry, but we should get to class,” Ren said. “And really, I do hope you do well today at the volleyball rally.” Ren walked into class.

Mishima just kind of stared at her, surprised at the kind of person this transfer student was. He rushed into class afterwards. “Right! Thank you again!” he said. Ren giggled at his confused eagerness.

That afternoon, the students were instructed to change into their PE clothes to attend the volleyball rally. Ren stood outside the locker room, nervous. Ann came up to her and put her hand on her shoulder. “You feeling OK?” Ren nodded.  Ann looked at her, eyebrow raised. “Don’t tell me you’re shy!”

“Maybe a little” Ren muttered out.

“Well, I don’t think you have anything to be worried about,” Ann said. “You’re pretty cute. You shouldn’t worry about comparing yourself to other girls. You have your own charm! I can FEEL IT!”

Ren snickered. Ann was confused. Ren began to explain. “Sorry. It’s just… That might have been a little overboard.” Ann pouted. Ren smiled genuinely. “But thanks. It was just what I needed.”

“Anything for a friend,” Ann said. “So, shall we head in?” Ren nodded. The two girls walked in to get changed.

Ren was feeling better, but was still a little nervous. She started getting undressed, albeit slowly.

“Hey” she heard Ann say. Ren turned around to see Ann in nothing but her light pink underwear. Ren was slightly embarrassed. “What’s the hold up?” She made sure no one was around and leaned in and whispered “The sooner we get ready, the sooner we can investigate.”

“Right. Sorry,” Ren said. She got down to her underwear too.

“Ooo. Violet. I like it” Ann said.

“Th-thanks” Ren said, blushing.

“I like it too,” said a voice. Ann and Ren turned to see Yoshizawa, already in her gym clothes. “It’s a lovely color.”

Ren’s face was now beat red. “Huh?” Ann said. “Wait, you’re that star athlete that just. Yoshizawa, right?”

“Mm hm” she confirmed. She looked at Ren. “Are you feeling OK?”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Ann said. “She’s just a little embarrassed is all.”

“Oh. I get that” Yoshizawa said. “She’s also new here.”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“Well, as someone who has to change in front of new people all the time, as well as those people being my competition a lot of the time, I can say it can get hard to get used to. But I’m sure you can do it. You’re strong after all.”

“Thanks,” Ren said.

“Huh?” Ann said. “Wait, have you met before?”

Yoshizawa nodded. “We were on the same train yesterday. Something happened, and she offered to help.”

“Yup. That’s totally like her!” Ann said.

“Well, I should leave you two be” Yoshizawa said. “You should get dressed. I’ll see you at the meet, OK?” Yoshizawa turned around and entered the gym.

Ann looked at herself and Ren. “We probably should get dressed. We don’t want the whole school seeing us like this.” Ren nodded. She and Ann got dressed and headed towards the gym itself.

The rally was going at a fever pitch. The volleyball club was demonstrating their skills very well. Inversely, Kamoshida seemed to be off his game. He was doing alright, but he let his guard down several times and lost a lot of his rounds.

It got to the point where in a game Mishima was returning a spike and it ended up hitting Kamoshida in the face, knocking him to the floor. All of the teachers were gathering around him to see if he was OK. Mishima was in complete disbelief.

Ren looked around. Ryuji seemed confused. She then looked over at Shiho. Shiho couldn’t help but smile. But something seemed off. “That’s not her real smile” Ann said. Ren looked at her. She could see tears in her eyes. “Shiho…”

Ren looked around. “Hey, it seems like now might be a good time to duck out and investigate.”

“Huh? Oh yeah” Ann said, wiping her tears. “Let’s do this! It might be easier if we split up. We can cover more ground that way.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said. The two girls headed off to investigate.

Meanwhile, the teachers were helping Kamoshida up. “Are you alright?” One of them asked.

“Yeah,” Kamoshida said. “It’s been a while, but this has happened before.”

“You seem pretty off your game” another teacher says. “Are you doing alright?”

Kamoshida groaned. “You could say that… It’s just,” he sighed, “ my usual method of stress relief isn’t working for me right now.”

“Well, what isn’t working?” one of the teachers asks. “Maybe you need to reevaluate your stress relief and come up with something new.”

Kamoshida looks around. His amorous eyes land upon Yoshizawa. “You might have something…” Kamoshida said.

Ren and Ann were scouring the school for information on Shiho’s plan. However, any member of the volleyball team they came across was already under her influence. Ren ended up in the practice building, near Kamoshida’s office. Ann texted Ren. “No luck in my end, how about you?”

Ren texted back “Me either. Everyone I’ve talked to is full steam ahead to burn the school to the ground.”

“Why don’t we talk to a few more people and meet up later?” Ann suggested.

“Sounds like a good plan,” Ren said. Ren continued to look around.

She ran into Mishima again. Mishima spotted her. “Hey! Did you see that?! I TOTALLY smacked Kamoshida down!”

“Good for you,” Ren said.

“And it’s all because you gave me the confidence!” Mishima added.

“Is that so?” Ren asked. She then got the idea to ask him. “Hey, um, did Shiho ask you anything?”

“Huh? Suzui-chan?” Mishima asked. “Um, yeah. Why, did she ask you too?”

“Yeah…” Ren added.

Mishima leaned in. “About, you know, dealing with Kamoshida?” Ren nodded. “Right.” He looked at the ground. “To be honest, after everything that bastard put us through, I would be lying to say I wasn’t tempted.”

“I see..” Ren said.

“But I decided not to help her with it,” Mishima finished.

Ren looked at him, surprised and confused. “Why?” she asked.

Mishima smiled sincerely. “I dunno. I just thought you wouldn’t like me doing something like that.” He let out a laugh.

Ren smiled. “See? That time your execution was perfect.”

“Huh?” Mishima said, taken aback.

“But again, I’m not the right target for you,” Ren said.

“Yeah, you told me as much earlier,” Mishima said. “Though, to be honest, I wasn’t trying to impress you like that. Do you think you could tell me what I did right?”

Ren looked at him, again shocked and confused. She regained her composure and said “Well, it’s because you weren’t trying. Just be yourself, and I’m sure people will like you.”

Mishima looked dejected. “Well, I’m not sure how many people would like me as much as you seem to.”

Ren raised her eyebrow. “Are you SURE you’re not trying right now?”

“NO! I SWEAR!” Mishima panicked. Ren giggled. “I’m starting to think you might not mean it when you say you’re not the right target for me.”

“No, I mean it,” Ren said. “I just happen to understand your appeal is all.”

“Huh…” pondered Mishima. “Well, if you say I’m not your type, then I’m not your type.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Ren asked. “About Shiho’s plan.”

“Oh” Mishima said. “To be honest, I don’t know. I want to stop it, but…”

Ren smiled, putting her hand on his shoulder. “It’s OK. I’ve got a plan. I can count on your full support, right?”

Mishima was confused, but then into it. “Yeah! Totally! 100%!”

“Glad to hear that,” Ren said. ”Well, I should get going. I’ve got work to do.”

“OK. Seeya in class” Mishima said.

Ren walked off, heading toward the gate. She was about to meet Ann, when she glanced upwards and saw an all-too-familiar sight. “Um, Mr. Kamoshida?” Yoshizawa asked. “What are you doing?”

“Heh” Kamoshida slimed. “I’m just showing off my awesome physique.”

“Well, you are quite impressive…” Yoshizawa said, clearly nervous. “But, did you call me here just to show off?”

Kamoshida chuckled. “Straight to the point. I like that. I can tell I’m really going to enjoy this!”

“Enjoy what?” Yoshizawa said.

“Come here,” Kamoshida menaced. Without hesitation, Ren raced to Yoshizawa and grabbed her arm before Kamoshida could continue. She then ran, dragging Yoshizawa behind her, not looking back. “Not again!” Kamoshida said.

“My, you just don’t learn,” Shiho said.

Kamoshida turned to look at her, captured by fear. “What do you want?”

Shiho giggled. “It’s nice to see other people are sick of your bullshit” she said.

Kamoshida was now sweating bullets. “I could tell everyone you threatened me!” he said, in a vain attempt to ward her off.

Shiho simply smiled. “And everyone’s going to believe poor, defenceless, timid Shiho Suzui is threatening the king of Shuji Academy? I highly doubt it.” Kamoshida was breathing heavily. Shiho smirked. “Say? That thing you’re feeling right now? That inescapable fear? Everyone on the volleyball team has LIVED that feeling. Maybe you should think about that before it all comes down on you.” Shiho turned around and left.

Meanwhile, Ren kept running and dragging Yoshizawa behind her. Yoshizawa was having trouble keeping up. Eventually, she tripped over herself and crashed into Ren. Once they managed to collect themselves, they noticed that Yoshizawa was on top of Ren in a  compromising position. Yoshizawa quickly backed off of her. “I’m sorry” she said, embarrassed.

“Don’t be,” Ren said. “None of it was your fault.”

“Yeah, but I tripped…” Yoshizawa said.

“It happens,” Ren said, getting up. “Besides, I might have been running too fast for you to keep up. Here” she said, offering her hand.

Yoshizawa looked at it, took it, and got up with some assistance from Ren. “Thank Senpai!” she said. “Um, was Kamoshida doing what I think he was?”

“I’m afraid so,” Ren said. “Bastard tried to do the same thing to me.”

“Oh” Yoshizawa said. She looked saddened.

Ren looked at her curious. “Is something the matter?”

“Huh? Oh, well…” Yoshizawa stammered.

Ren looked around. “Why don’t we go get changed and we can talk about it somewhere? Does that sound good?”

Yoshizawa looked at Ren. “I’d like that.”

“Then let’s go,” Ren said. She and Yoshizawa headed toward the locker rooms to get back into their uniforms. On their way, Ren texted Ann. “Sorry Ann. Something came up. Can we meet tomorrow?”

“Sure,” Ann said. “What’s up?”

“Kamoshida tried his crap again” Ren informed her.

“Bastard! Who was it?” Ann said.

“Yoshizawa” Ren informed her.

“I wonder if it’s almost worth it to leave him to the flames” Ann messaged back.

“You’re not changing your mind now, are you?” Ren asked.

“No! But I’m doing this for Shiho! Not Kamoshida!” Ann shouted through text.

“Loud and clear,” Ren replied.

Ann had already changed back and was at the gate. “Well, I guess we’ll just have to talk tomorrow.” She started to leave when she saw Ryuji. “Hmmm. Hey Ryuji!” Ann yelled.

Ryuji looked at Ann. “Takamaki?!”

Ann ran over. “Ryuji! This is important! Did Shiho say anything to you about Kamoshida?”

“What?! Where’s this coming from?” Ryuji asked. “She hasn’t, just so you know.”

“Oh” Ann said.

“Why? What’s up?” Ryuji further inquired.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Ann said.

“Really. What’s going on?” Ryuji asked again.

“Well…” Ann said. “Just be careful…”

“OK…” Ryuji said. “Well, I’m outta here. I’m going to drown my confusion in ramen. Later!” He walked off.

Ann looked at him. “I wouldn’t blame him for joining up,” she said to herself. She walked off, wondering how everything would turn out.

Notes:

You can take the game out of Persona, but you can't take the slow start out of it. Honestly, I did want to do the rest of the day in this chapter, but it was already kind of going long as is, so I decided to separate it into two.

Also, please tell me if I get too fetishistic at certain points. I want to write this story as I see it, but I don't want things like the locker room scene coming off as too weird. It's just something I want to keep in mind.

Chapter 6: Conversations Over Food And Drink

Notes:

While this is kind of a short-ish chapter (at least by my standards), the reason my previous chapter ended where it did was just because I was tired and I wanted to post it. That decision seemed to work out for me, as this chapter works well on its own in my opinion.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren and Yoshizawa arrived at the locker room. “Well then, shall we?” Yoshizawa said. Ren nodded. The two walk in. Ren gets changed into her uniform. “Senpai!” Yoshizawa called out. “Can you come here for a second?”

Ren was intrigued. She followed Yoshizawa’s voice. Once she got to Yoshizawa herself, she was shocked and slightly embarrassed to see her in her underwear. “Sorry,” Yoshizawa said. “But I thought it was only fair. Since I saw you in yours earlier.”

“I see…” Ren said, still reeling from this. “How bold of you.”

Yoshizawa giggled and blushed slightly as well. “I’ve been told that my boldness is my strength. But anyways, I should get dressed now.” Yoshizawa proceeded to get back into her uniform. “Alright then. Let’s go!”

The two left the school. Ren asked “So, Yoshiawa, is there any place in particular you’d like to go?”

Yshizawa got a frustrated look on her face. “Well, normally, I’m supposed to watch what I eat… But after what just happened, I feel like I need some comfort food.” The cheer returned to her face. “There’s a Big Bang Burger nearby. Let’s go there.” Ren and Yoshizawa headed to Big Bang Burger.

Once there, Ren got just a regular meal. Meanwhile, Yoshizawa demanded she do the Big Bang Challenge. The burger they gave her was large, but Yoshizawa insisted that it was nothing she couldn’t handle. She was proven right when she finished the burger with seven minutes to spare. “You must have been pretty hungry,” Ren remarked.

“Huh?” Yoshizawa said. “Oh. Yeah. Most people aren’t used to seeing someone eat that much food. Let alone someone as petite as me. But I tend to eat this much food often, since I’m in gymnastics. You burn a LOT of calories doing what I do.”

“I see’ Ren smiled. Yoshizawa looked at Ren’s smile and blushed. “So, are you feeling better?”

“Huh? Oh yeah” Yoshizawa said. “A little.”

“Yeah, it’s not something eating your weight in burger can fix instantly” Ren said.

“Well, it doesn’t hurt to try,” Yoshizawa said.

“For most people, it would” Ren snarked back.

“I suppose that’s true,” Yoshizawa added. She looked distant.

Ren picked up on this. “Look, I don’t want this to get to you.”

“Huh?” Yoshizawa said, snapping back. “Oh, don’t worry. See, um… Ugh, this is embarrassing. I’m kind of famous…”

This piqued Ren’s curiocity. “Famous?”

Yoshizawa nodded. “I’m well renowned in the field of gymnastics. So, I’m used to people being...creepy. However, it never got to the extent that it got to today.”

“I getcha,” Ren replied. “Still, that sounds like a pretty shitty thing to get used to. Though I suppose there ARE worse things…” Yoshizawa looked like she was on the verge of tears. “What’s the matter?”

“Sorry,” Yoshizawa said, wiping her eyes. “It’s just, when you said there are worse things to get used to, I just…” she started tearing up again.

Ren couldn’t help but feel for her. “I’m sorry.”

“No. It’s not your fault” Yoshizawa answered.

Ren looked at her earnestly. “Do you wanna talk about it?” Yoshizawa didn’t answer. “It’s OK if it’s too hard.” Yoshizawa nodded. “Very well. Let’s change the subject. I only know you as Yoshizawa. Do you have a first name?”

“Oh. Right. I guess I do call you Ren-senpai” Yoshizawa said. “It’s Kasumi.”

Ren smiled. “What a nice name.”

“Thank senpai!” Kasumi said. She smiled. “It’s been nice talking to someone.”

Ren looked at her, eyebrow raised. “What about your classmates? Are you not making friends?”

Kasumi stared off. “Well, because of my fame, I got accepted to Shujin as an Honors student,” she explained. “Everyone else treats me either like some Goddess whom mere mortals cannot walk the same path of, or think of me as not deserving of the special attention I’m getting, and thus despise me.”

“I see,” Ren said. “I guess it would be tough to make friends in that situation.”

“Meanwhile, you seem to be getting along alright,” Kasumi said.

“I guess” Ren said.

Kasumi smiled. “Don’t be so modest. You’re friends with that one girl, right?”

Ren nodded. “Takamaki-san.”

“Right,” Kasumi said. She giggled. “It does feel like lately things have been getting harder. But after meeting you, I feel a little less troubled.”

Ren smiled. “I’m glad to hear that.”

“Um, if it’s not too much trouble, I’d like to do this again sometime” Kasumi said.

“I’d like that,” Ren said.

They finished eating, paid, and then left. “Thanks for doing this for me” Kasumi said.

“It’s no problem at all. Really” Ren added.

Kasumi smiled. “I think we’ll be really good friends.”

“Friends, huh…” Ren said, mostly happy. “That sounds nice.”

Kasumi nodded. A car honked its horn. “Oh, there’s my ride. I’ll see ya around.”

Ren smiled wistfully. “Seeya!” Kasumi got in the car. Ren walked off.

Kasumi looked back at Ren. She then sat down. “I bet she would have loved to meet you too…”

Meanwhile, Ryuji was eating ramen like there was no tomorrow. “I don’t care how much I’ve eaten it, this place is always amazing!”

“I thought I might find you here, Sakamoto-kun” a voice called out.

Ryuji looked up. “Oh. Hey Suzui-san.” He slurped down some more ramen. “I’ve been told you might come and talk to me.”

Shiho was confused. “By who?”

“Takamaki” Ryuji said.

“Did she say anything?” she asked.

“Well, she told me to be careful, but she was a bit vague,” Ryuji answered.

Shiho smiled. “I see.” You wouldn’t blame him for joining up with me. How sweet. Shiho sat down next to him and began whispering. “Listen, we both hate Kamoshida, right?”

“Uh, yeah?” Ryuji said.

Shiho smiled menacingly. “Well, I’ve got a plan for dealing with him once and for all.”

“For real?” Ryuji said.

Shiho nodded. “And I’d like you to be a part of it.”

“I’m down with getting back at Kamoshida,” Ryuji said. “So, what’s the plan?” Shiho whispered the plan in Ryuji’s ear. “WHAT?!” Ryuji yelled. Everyone in the restaurant looked at him. “Um, sorry… Just teen gossip…” Everyone turned back to themselves.

“Nice save,” Shiho said.

“I wouldn’t have needed to do that if that plan wasn’t so...ridiculous!” Ryuji said. “I mean Kamoshida’s a bastard, but that’s a bit too far, isn’t it?”

Shih looked at Ryuji. “‘Too far’... Was it ‘too far’ when he injured the members of the volleyball team? Was it ‘too far’ when he called several girls to his office just to make advances on them? Was it ‘too far’ when he broke your leg?”

“Well…” Ryuji replied. He certainly couldn’t deny that Kamoshida was very extreme in his treatment of the students.

“Nothing’s ‘too far’ for that monster,” Shiho added.

“Well, I guess you have a point,” Ryuji said. He pounded his fist on the table. “But I don’t want you sinking down to his level! Once you go there, you can’t come back!” He started crying.

Shiho looked this over. She tousled Ryuji’s hair. “It’s OK. You don't need to be a part of this.”

Ryuji looked up. “Huh?”

Shiho smiled. “I have plenty of help already. If it’s too much for you, then I get that.” She got up. “Well then, I’ll see you around.” She left.

Ryuji looked at her as she was leaving. “What just happened?” he wondered. He turned back to his bowl of ramen and stared at it. “I’m not sure I feel like eating anymore. Then again, it would be a shame to see this go to waste.” He continued eating. “Still, there has to be something I can do. I mean, Suzui-san isn’t usually like this, right?  I’ve GOTTA do something before she ruins whatever chance she has left of being something. Before she becomes like me…” Ryuji sat silently, finishing his ramen, and contemplating what to do.

Ren walked back into Le Blanc. Sojiro glared at her. “You’re late.”

“Something came up,” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “Look, it’s not that I care about what you do, but if you act out of line, it comes back to me. I’d rather not have to deal with any unnecessary problems. Plus, if you stay out too late, that means I have to spend my time here instead of home.”

Ren looked at him curiously. “Why not just give me a key?”

Sojiro was surprised. “Well, what were you doing?” he asked. “I’m not going to give you a key just so you can go smoke up somewhere.”

“Hello pot, I’m kettle” Ren snarked.

Sojiro glared at her. “Alright, I guess I deserve that one” he relented. “But we’re in kind of different boats here. You’re working your way to getting redeemed. Meanwhile, I’m beyond redemption.”

Ren could see the sorrow in his eyes. “Wanna talk about it?”

“Huh?” Sojiro said. “Oh. I didn’t mean to open up like that.” He looked at Ren and then his phone. “Alright. We can talk a little bit longer. But just over coffee, OK? The curry would take too long.”

“I understand,” Ren said. Sojiro brewed some coffee for the two of them to share.

“Now then” Sojiro said, placing the coffees near them and sitting down. “I suppose I could help you out, even if it’s just to be an example of what not to do. Listen up. The reason I’m a bit hard on you is because I don’t want you to get conceited.” Ren was puzzled. “Once this is all over, I don’t want you thinking everything will be great. It could be, but you need to be careful.”

Sojiro sighed. “I thought I had it all. A nice job, good perks, my choice of women. I was riding high. But then something happened. I got too careless, and now the only place that will accept me is this small pocket of Tokyo.” Sojiro looked at Ren. “If you want to be welcomed anywhere, you need to be mindful of your surroundings.”

“I understand,” Ren replied. She took a sip of her coffee. “You know, this is really good.”

Sojiro was shocked. He then smiled and said “Thank you.”

“Um, if you wouldn’t mind, I’d love to be able to make coffee like you do” Ren said. “Would you mind teaching me sometime?”

Sojiro was even more shocked. “Uhhhh, sure.” He said. “He he. It’s been a while since anyone asked me for anything that wasn’t on the menu and mean it sincerely. You’re a strange one, you know that? You get arrested for assault, and yet now you’re keeping me company like it’s the right thing to do.” Ren smiled. “Still, you haven’t told me where you’ve been.”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. I’m not sure I should tell him everything, since it wasn't me this time. Although I don’t know if I’m even ready to telling him about me yet. “Something happened, and I ended up making a new friend.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Making friends. Going to school.” He sighed. “Maybe Tokyo is a better fit for you. I mean, if you went ahead and assaulted someone in your hometown, you might have needed a change of scenery.”

I guess he won’t believe I’m innocent just yet.

“Heh. Alright. I’ll do what I can to help you out” Sojiro said. “But in return, you gotta promise to be on your best behavior. Got that?” Ren nodded. “Good.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Hierophant Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 1

“I should get going,” Sojiro said. “I’ll teach you how to make coffee some other time.” Sojiro left the store and closed up. Ren smiled and went to her room.

Notes:

Reworking the story is a little odd, but I do have a reason. I mean, you already know the bigger changes, and the smaller changes are going to flow out where they seem natural to do so. Again, any guidance is appreciated. Although I've had some lovely people telling me they love the story so far, so I guess I can't be doing too badly.

Either way, I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 7: Rude Awakening

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ren was on her way to class when she heard yelling. “LISTEN ASSHOLE!” shouted the distinct voice of Ryuji. Ren went towards the sound of the voice. It turns out she wasn’t the only one, as several students had gathered to watch the scene play out. The scene in question was Ryuji yelling at Kamoshida.

Ryuji continued. “I’m trying to help you here!”

Kamoshida seemed to be sweating bullets, but he regained his composure enough to say “I don’t need help from scum like you. I could have you suspended, even expelled for something like this.”

“Grr” Ryuji growled. “This isn’t about you or me anymore! This is about other people! Why won’t you listen?”

“Alright, I’ll play along,” Kamoshida said. “You want me to stop doing what I’m doing.”

“YES!” Ryuji shouted back.

“Well, what I’m doing is cultivating young talent and pushing them to be the best they could be,” Kamoshida answered. “I’m doing it for the sake of the school. Are you telling me you want the school to fail, Sakamoto?”

Ryuji growled again. “Stubborn to the bitter end, eh?” He stomped his foot on the ground. “There’s no point in hiding it! Everyone knows what you’re doing!”

“Do they, now?” Kamoshida said. He looked around. “It seems you’ve amassed quite an audience. Alright: Public forum time! Whoever knows these things Sakamoto-kun says I’m doing, tell us now.” There was a resounding silence, as there were only three types of audience members. Those who were afraid of Kamoshida, those who were already on Shiho’s side, and Ren. “See? You got nothing!’

“THIS IS BULLSHIT!” Ryuji shouted. “FINE! You don’t want me helping you like this? I can think of plenty of other ways to help!”

“Is that a threat?” Kamoshida said.

“I’M TRYING TO SAVE YOU!” Ryuji yelled back. “Your life is in danger! And you know it too! I saw you at the volleyball rally! But if me trying my hardest not to knock all of your teeth out isn’t going to work, then screw it!” Ryuji stomped off.

Kamoshida had a moment of reflection. He then looked at the crowd and said “WELL?! Get to class!” The crowd dispersed.

At lunch, Ann turned to Ren and said “Hey, I heard Ryuji got into a shouting match with Kamoshida this morning.” Ren nodded. “Do you know what it was about?”

“I was there,” Ren answered.

“Really?!” Ann asked. “What happened?”

“Well, it seems he knows of the threat on Kamoshida’s life, but Kamoshida wouldn’t listen to him,” Ren explained.

“Wait, really?!” Ann said. “Heh.” Tears started to well up.

Ren noticed. “Are you OK?” she asked.

“Huh? Oh yeah” Ann said. “It’s just, I thought for sure he would go with Shiho once she explained what she was doing. I’m just glad he didn’t.”

Ren smiled. “I see.” She crossed her fingers in a Gendo Ikari way. “However, it did appear that he was going to do something drastic. We should probably act soon just to be safe.”

Ann nodded. “Let’s meet after school then.”

Meanwhile, Shiho was spending her lunch gaining more and more converts for the “setting the school on fire” plan. She approached Kasumi. “Hello, Yoshizawa-chan.”

“Oh, hey Suzui-senpai” Kasumi responded. “How are things going?”

Shiho smiled. “Couldn’t be better. Listen, I’m not sure if you know this, but be careful around Kamoshida.”

“Oh” Kasumi said, shocked, and then slightly sad.

Shiho picked up on this. “Oh no. Did something happen?”

“Well, yesterday, he tried to…” Kasumi began explaining. Shiho gritted her teeth. “But Ren-senpai saved me before things got serious.”

“I see,” Shiho said. “Well, how do you feel about getting back at Kamoshida?”

“Huh?” Kasumi said.

Shiho smiled. “Kamoshida is truly irredeemable. So I’m gathering people to help take him down.”

Kasumi was cautious. “Take him down how?”

“We’re going to set fire to the school with him inside it,” Shiho said seriously.

“WHAT?!” Kasumi said. “Th-that’s insane!”

“True, but so is Kamoshida,” Shiho said. “You can’t fight a monster with conventional methods.”

Kasumi glared at her. “‘Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.’”

“Huh?” Shiho said.

“That’s a quote I learned in class.” Kasumi said. “I forget who said it, but I think it’s true.”

Shiho was taken aback. She then smiled and said “It’s OK. You’re new here. You’ll understand soon enough.” Shiho walked away. Kasumi was worried.

After school, Ren and Ann were preparing to leave for the infiltration when they were stopped by Kasumi. “E-excuse me. Ren-senpai. May I talk with you for a minute?”

Ren looked at Ann. “It’s OK. We’ll meet up later.” Ren nodded. Ann left.

Ren turned back to Kasumi. “What’s up?”

“Um… Oh boy, this is difficult” Kasumi said. “...Is it true that Shiho-senpai is going to try and burn Kamoshida to death?”

Ren was surprised, then solemn. “She told you her plan then, huh?” Kasumi nodded. Ren smirked. “Don’t worry your pretty little head.” Kasumi looked up in awe. “Ann and I have a plan to make sure that doesn’t happen. It’ll be OK. Trust me.” Ren flashed a smile.

Kasumi was even more awestruck. She was blushing ever so slightly. “Well, that’s good to hear,” she said. Ren nodded and walked off.  Once Ren was away, Kasumi started to blush even more. “My heart. It’s jumping out of my chest for some reason. Why am I feeling this way?”

Ren met up with Ann in front of the school. “So, what was that about?” Ann asked.

Ren got serious. “She knows about Shiho’s plan. She was worried, so I had to reassure her.”

Ann was shocked. “Wait! You didn’t tell her about that other world, did you?”

Ren shook her head. “I just told her we were doing something about it.”

“Well, good, I guess…” Ann said. “I don’t know how people would react to that world.”

Ren cocked a grin. “I’m not sure how many people would even believe what we’ve been doing.”

“True,” Ann said. She looked over Ren and saw Ryuji. “Huh?” He was carrying a bag of stuff that looked like weapons. “That can’t be good.”

Ren looked over and saw what Ryuji was doing as well. “We should go before he does something.” She began navigating.

Meanwhile, Ryuji was muttering to himself. “He doesn’t want me to help with words, huh? I’ll show him.” He checked his phone. “Huh? That’s weird. I don’t remember installing this weird eye app on here.” Suddenly, the world morphed around him. “What the?!”

He found himself in the same village that Ren and Ann had traveled back and forth from. “What’s going on?!” He looked around and saw Ren and Ann, but didn’t recognize them because they were in their outfits. “Huh?!”

“Alright, you ready to go steal Kamoshida’s desires, or whatever?” Ann said.

“Of course” Ren replied.

Morgana met up with them. “Are you ready?” Ren nodded. “Good. Then let’s go.” Ren, Ann, and Morgana walked off.

“Was that a talking cat?” Ryuji asked. “Am I feeling OK? How do I check for that?”

“Halt!” said a knight.

“Woh! Wait!” Ryuji said.

“Are you here to attack the King?” the knight asked.

“KING?!” Ryuji asked.

“Hm. I guess you are” the knight said, answering his own question. “Just look at that bag!”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, confused.

“You’re coming with me” the knight said.

“Hold on!” Ryuji shouted as he was getting captured.

As Ren, Ann, and Morgana were walking, Ann asked “So, where is Kamoshida’s desire anyway?”

“It’s located within the heart of the castle,” Morgana answered. “We’re going to have to face a lot of tough opponents and challenges to get it. But I’m sure we can do it, right?” Ann stopped. Morgana and Ren stopped and turned to her. “Right?” Morgana asked.

“Well…” Ann said.

“You did come prepared with gear and medicine, right?” Morgana asked.

“Not...exactly” Ann said.

“WHAT?!” Morgana shouted.

“Well, something happened,” Ren said. “We think someone is going to do something today, so we just kind of jumped in head first.”

“I see…” Morgana said. “Well, in any case, there seems to be no movement on this end. I mean, more and more villagers are joining the resistance, but that seems to be expected. Surprisingly, a few have refused.” Ren smiled. Morgana was shocked. “Wait. Don’t tell me that was your doing?!”

“Well, I’m not sure,” Ren said. “One person said that they declined because of me, but that’s all I know.”

“I see,” Morgana said. “Heh. You really are special.”

“ATTENTION!” a voice rang out. “WE HAVE A VERY SPECIAL PRESENTATION PROVIDED TO YOU BY THE KING! A PUBLIC EXECUTION!”

“Execution?!” Morgana said.

Ann growled. “Come on. Let’s go!” Ann ran towards the announcement. Ren followed behind her.

“Hey! Wait up!” Morgana called as he followed.

The trio arrived to see Ryuji tied to a stake with Shadow Kamoshida there surrounded by guards. “Wait! Those clothes!” Ann said. “Is that the real Ryuji?! How did he get here?!”

“I don’t know,” Morgana said. “You might have brought him in on accident?”

“Well well well” said Kamoshida to the tied up Ryuji. “You were planning on making a threat on my life now, weren’t you?”

Ryuji was struggling. “Huh? No. I just wanted to rough you up a bit! Enough to send you to a hospital or something!”

“So you don’t deny you were going to attack me” Kamoshida said.

Ryuji got pissed. “YOU DIDN’T WANT TO LISTEN TO ME SO THIS WAS MY ONLY CHOICE!”

“Huh? Listen? To YOU?!” Kamoshida said. “Why would I listen to scum like you in the first place?!”

“I’M TRYING TO SAVE YOU, ASSHOLE!” Ryuji shouted back.

“Save me? From the revolution?” Kamoshida said. “Please, it’s not like they can actually do anything.”

“What? Revolution?” Ryuji said, confused.

“No matter,” Kamoshida said. “I’ll deal with them after I deal with you. Let’s see what you brought in your bag of goodies.” Kamoshida began digging through Ryuji’s bag and pulled out an assortment of melee weapons. He then found a gun. “What’s this? So you were going to kill me after all.” He then pointed it at Ryuji. “Well, how ‘bout I just kill you with this then? A fitting end for such lowly scum.”

Ryuji smiled. “Go ahead.”

Ren, Ann, and Morgana were shocked. “RYUJI!” Ann shouted.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. Ren acted quickly. She ran up, jumped, grabbed the gun out of Kamoshida’s hands, and shot one of the knights with it, making them disappear. “HOLY SHIT!” Ryuji shouted.

“Tch. You again” Kamoshida said. “Take care of them!” The knights surrounded Ren. Morgana and Ann came into help. The three of them continued to fight.

“It’s no use,” Morgana said. There’s just too many of them!” Suddenly, the knights began disappearing one by one. “Huh?”

They looked out to see Shiho leading some revolutionaries to attack the knights. “CHARGE!” Shiho commanded. The revolutionaries attacked and overwhelmed the knights.

Ren and Ann looked at each other and nodded. They went to untie Ryuji. Once he was untied, Ryuji demanded “Someone please explain what’s going on here!”

“That’s going to take a while,” Ann said.

“Huh? Takamaki?” Ryuji said. He fell to the ground after being untied. He looked up at Ren. “Wait, and are you that transfer student?”

Meanwhile, Kamoshida was cowering in fear as all of his knights were defeated. “Now,” Shiho said, “it’s time we deal with you!” She rushed to stab Kamoshida with a sabre. Ren rushed between them. Shiho stopped. Kamoshida ran away to his castle.

Shiho glared at her. “He got away.”

“SHIHO!” Ann shouted. “We’re NOT letting you kill him!”

“She’s right,” Ren said.

Shiho was taken aback. “He has no qualms with killing you! Why should we care about him?

“We’re not stooping to his level!” Ann said. “Kamoshida is terrible! No one here can deny that fact! But you… you’re my best friend. I don’t want you to be terrible too…”

Shiho regained her composure. “Sorry Ann. I can’t let him live. Not after everything he’s done.” She looked up. “Before I got this power, I felt hopeless. I wanted to die.” Everyone was shocked. “But now I can make him feel as bad as he makes me feel. And I won’t allow anyone to stop me.”

“BULLSHIT!” Ryuji shouted. Everyone looked at him. “You go on and on about how terrible Kamoshida is, and how he makes you feel? You’re not special! Kamoshida took EVERYTHING from me. Of course there were points when I wanted to just die! But I’m not giving that bastard the satisfaction.” He continued. “You keep saying there’s no other way. You may be right for all I know. But I don’t want you to do that! If it’s something dirty, just leave it to me! I’m already the lowest of the low. I’m not letting you come down here with me! Not while you can still make something of yourself! Not while you still have a chance!”

A powerful looking night came by, along with some support. “Quit disturbing the peace!”

“NO!” Ryuji shouted. “Not until Kamoshida stops disturbing ours!”

“Very well then” the knight said. “Looks like that execution will be taking place after all.” They began to attack.

“You say that now, but soon Kamoshida will be executed!” Shiho shouted.

“HELL NO!” Ryuji shouted. “DAMMIT!”

“You made me wait quite a while” a voice in Ryuji’s head. He began to struggle some more. “You seek power, correct? Then let us form a pact. Since your name has been disgraced already, why not hoist the flag and wreak havoc? The ‘other you’ who exists within desires it thus.”

“Yes” Ryuji said, a mask forming on his face.

“I am thou, thou art I...There is no turning back...The skull of rebellion is your flag henceforth!”

Ryuji ripped off his mask, causing blood to flow down his face. “CAPTAIN KIDD!” After a burst of energy, Ryuji was now wearing a black dress shirt and black pants, with a skeletal structure on his shirt, elbow pads, knee pads, a red ascot, and bright yellow gloves. Behind him was his Persona, Captain Kidd. Everyone was in awe. “Alright, let’s take them down!” Ryuji and Captain Kidd dealt with the powerful shadow. Ren, Ann, and Morgana took out the other ones that they had brought along.

“Hell yeah!” Ryuji said. He pointed at Shiho. “And now YOU!”

Ren, Ann, and Morgana were distressed. “Ryuji wait!” Ann called out.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. Shiho ran away. Ryuji collapsed again.

“RYUJI!” Ann called out.

“Let’s get him out of here,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “Why don’t you come too?” she asked.

“Good idea,” Morgana said. He looked at Ryuji’s bag. “We should take that with us as well.” The four of them returned to the real world.

They hid in an alley right outside the school. “Ryuji, are you OK?” Ann asked.

Ryuji groaned a little bit. “Yeah. I think so” he answered. “I’m really tired though.”

“As to be expected when one first awakens to their Persona” Morgana said. Ren and Ann looked down to see an actual black cat instead of the form Morgana took in the Metaverse.

Ryuji looked at him too. “Um, why is that cat talking?”

“Well… how should we explain this?” Ann asked.

“Let’s just go over everything we know,” Ren said. “It might be easier once he knows the whole story.”

“Agreed,” Ann said. “Though, even I’m having trouble grasping some of the concepts.”

Ann, Ren, and Morgana did their best to explain what was going on to Ryuji. “Slow down,” Ryuji said. “So, basically, that was another world? And it’s being manipulated by Kamoshida and Suzui? And Suzui is being helped by some mysterious force?”

“Basically…” Ann said.

“And we can make sure that Suzui doesn’t kill Kamoshida AND make Kamoshida confess to all the shit he’s done?”

“Right,” Ren said.

“Heh” Ryuji said. “Count me in!” Everyone was surprised. “I mean, I don’t get everything about what’s going on, but all of it sounds good, right?”

“Right,” Morgana said.

Ryuji looked at him. “By the way, how are you talking?”

“Yeah, I’ve been wondering that myself” Ann said.

Morgana groaned. “It’s kind of hard to explain. But basically, since you can hear me talk in that other world, you can hear me talk in this one too.”

“Oh. I think I get it” Ann said.

“OK. So, what about the gun?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh yeah. You brought a gun with you” Ren said. “Are you sure you weren’t going to kill Kamoshida?”

“OF COURSE I WASN’T” Ryuji said. “It’s a model gun! A fake! But it looked real, so I thought Kamoshida might be intimidated by it.”

“That would explain it!” Morgana said. The three humans looked at him. “Since the world is a cognitive one, they thought it was a real gun. And since they thought that, it became real.”

“Holy shit” Ryuji said.

“That sounds kind of dangerous,” Ann said.

“True, but if we had other weapons like that, we’d have a good advantage going in,” Ren said.

“Couldn’t have said it better myself” Morgana said. “It’d be great if we could get some stuff to recharge us there as well.” The gang nodded.

“So, our plan is as follows:” Ren said. “Gather up supplies, and then once we do, take care of this Palace thing before the meeting.”

“Right!” everyone else said.

“By the way, what are we going to do about this one?” Ann asked, looking at Morgana.

“I can’t take him in,” Ryuji said.

“Um, if it’s all the same to you, I’d like to go with Ren” Morgana said. “After all, I was created to guide her.”

“Oh, um, sure,” Ren said.

“Then it’s settled,” Morgana said. “Um, can I ride in your bag?”

“Oh, um, sure” Ren repeated. She lowered her bag so that Morgana could hop in. Once she readjusted herself, she looked at Ann and Ryuji and said “Alright! I’ll contact you both when we’re ready to get this train a rollin’!”

“Oh, uh, shouldn’t we get each other’s contact information” Ryuji said, nervously.

“Smooth,” Ann said. “But you’re right.” The three of them exchanged numbers. “And done!”

“Alright, I’ll be waiting!” Ryuji said. “But man, am I in the mood for some meat right now. I’m going to go head home. Seeya!” Ryuji left.

“We should probably leave as well,” Ann said. Ren nodded, and the two of them started walking to the station. Ann seemed hesitant about something. “Um, Ren?” She looked at Ann. “What do you think about Ryuji?”

Ren smiled. “He’s a bit hot-headed, but I think he’s a good person under it all.”

Ann smirked. “Yeah. He is.” She looked distant again. “But that’s not what I meant.”

“Then how do you mean?” Ren asked.

Ann shook her head. “Never mind,” she said.

“Well, I’m here if you need me,” Ren said.

Ann looked at Ren. “Thanks.” They arrived at the station and went their separate ways.

Ren walked in to see a blue-haired goth-punk woman sitting at one of the booths. “Hi there,” she said.

“Hello yourself” the blue-haired woman replied. “What are you doing here so late? I didn’t think this was the kind of place teenagers hung out at at night?”

“Well, uh…” Ren spouted.

Sojiro walked out of the kitchen and saw what’s going on. “Hey! No talking to the customers!” he said sternly. “Sorry if she bothered you, doctor?”

The apparent doctor smiled. “It’s fine. It seems I might have bothered her more. Well, I’ll be going now.” She left Leblanc.

Sojiro sighed. Ren looked over. “Am I that much of a bother to you?”

Sojiro was surprised. “No. I agreed to take you in. I should take more responsibility. Just get upstairs.”

Ren walked up the stairs and let Morgana out. “Hey, did you hear?” he asked.

“Which part?” Ren asked.

“That lady was a doctor,” Morgana said. “Maybe we can get some medicine from her!”

Ren smiled. “You’re right. She seems to be close by, so let’s look around tomorrow.”

“What’s all this racket?” Sojiro said, coming up. He was shocked. “A cat?! Grrrr. This a restaurant. Animals are a no go.” He thought about it. “Then again, if you had something like this to focus on, you might stay out of trouble. Just be careful.”

“I will,” Ren said. “He’s smarter than he looks.”

“Where'd you even get this guy anyway?” Sojiro asked.

“I found him wandering around,” Ren answered. “He seemed lonely, so I helped him out, and now he’s taken quite a liking to me.”

“Hm. Well, I guess cats don’t see things like arrest records” Sojiro said. “Have you, uh, decided on a name?”

Ren smiled. “Morgana.”

“Morgana huh” Sojiro said.

“You sound disappointed,” Ren replied.

“Well, I was kind of hoping I could name it,” he admitted. “Hold on.” He went back downstairs.

Morgana seemed confused. “This was the guy you were telling me about on the way back, huh? It’s weird. He places up here in a dingy attic, but he also appears to have a soft side to him, huh.”

“Yeah, he’s a hard one to pin down,” Ren said. “But it wouldn’t be fun if it were so easy.”

Sojiro walked back up with a plate with some leftover food. “Here” He set it down for Morgana.

“Wow,” Morgana said. He started going to town on it.

“Heh” Sojiro said. “What a talkative little guy.” He looked at Ren. “Make sure he doesn’t speak up during business hours.”

“Got it,” Ren said.

“Oh, and wash that plate once he’s done,” Sojiro said. “I’m going to go close up, so you’ll have the opportunity to do so.”

“You never miss a beat, do you Sojiro?” Ren said, smiling. Sojiro was taken aback. He then smiled, and headed out.

Once Morgana was done, Ren went and cleaned the plate. When she got back up there, Morgana was excited. “Alright, now that that’s settled, it’s time I help you prepare one more thing.”

“What’s that?” Ren asked.

“Infiltration tools” Morgana said. “Here, let’s use this desk.” Ren looked at the desk across from her bed. She cleared it off and sat down. “Alright, let’s begin.” Morgana instructed Ren about making tools. Ren seemed to get the hang of it, but even then she wasn’t great at it. “It’s OK. Not everyone is great at things their first time.”

Once Ren finished crafting a few things, Morgana complimented her. “Great work.”

“Thanks,” Ren replied. “By the way, why come here?” she asked. “I know you were created to help me, but...

“Wel…” Morgana said. “To be completely honest, I was hoping you would help me out too.” Ren was curious. “See, while I was made to guide you, what I was to guide you to has changed drastically. I don’t know what I’m supposed to be anymore. I feel listless. So I thought, maybe, you could help me find my place too.”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK, kitty” She hugged him and scratched his chin. “I’m trying to find my place now too. But I can help you.” Morgana fussed. Ren stopped. “Too much?”

“No. It was just a bit sudden is all” he replied. He sighed. “I guess I’m a cat to most people, but I know I’m more than that. So why am I still a cat? If things have changed, why couldn’t I have been a human?”

“Do you not like being a cat?” Ren asked.

“Well, it’s not so bad…” Morgana said. “I just need to think things through.”

Ren smiled. “Well, you’ve been so helpful in the metaverse, I guess I can help you sort this out.”

Morgana smirked. “It’s a deal!”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Magician Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

“Well, we should go to sleep. We’ve got some work we gotta do tomorrow!” Morgana said.

“Right,” Ren said. There was a silence. “Um, if you don’t mind, could you not look as I get changed?”

“Of course” Morgana said. “After all, I am a true gentleman.” He looked away as Ren changed into her nightwear. The two of them then placed themselves on the bed and fell asleep.

Notes:

Boy this chapter turned out longer than expected. I was really only planning on this to be 3 pages in Google docs, but it just barely made it to 9. There really is a lot to set up here.

However, we do get to one of the more interesting aspects of this story. Since Morgana knows he's not a human, he's not going to be complaining about it all story. Instead, since his reason for existence was taken from he, he's just stuck existing and unsure how to feel about that. I just like this. That wasn't the thought experiment that started this, but we'll be getting to it a few chapters from now. And there was a hint in this chapter. Still, it's these bits of inspiration that make creating something like this worth it.

Chapter 8: Mission Prep

Chapter Text

When Ren woke up, she felt Morgana cuddled up near the foot of her bed. She smiled. She liked the reminder that someone was there for her. She got out of bed and got dressed for school before Morgana woke up. She decided to wake him up. “Morning sleepyhead.”

“Ugh” Morgana groaned. “Morning.”

Ren smiled. “Get up. We’re going to school.”

“Oh. OK” Morgana said, half asleep. “Wait, WE?!” he said, waking up.

“Mm-hm” Ren said. “You heard Sojiro. This a restaurant. You can’t be hanging around here all day.”

Morgana seemed displeased. “I could walk around and stuff…”

“I guess” Ren said, sitting down next to him. “But I’d rather you be close by just in case.”

“Hm. Very well” Morgana said.

“Alright, in you go kitty” Ren said, opening her bag.

Morgana gave her an uneasy look. “Do you need to call me a cat?”

Ren looked surprised. “I thought that by affirming your status it might make things easier for you.”

“You mean the more you call me a cat, the more I’ll get used to it?” Morgana asked.

“Well, if most people are going to see you as a cat anyway, it would be beneficial to get used to it,” Ren said. “Plus, you told me you don’t mind it.”

“Well, I appreciate the thought,” Morgan said, “but I’m not sure if I quite like it yet.”

“Fair enough,” Ren said. “Well, hop in anyway. I don’t want to be late.” Morgana hopped in Ren’s bag, and the two set off for school.

At school, Morgana hid in Ren’s desk. Morgana helped Ren out on occasion, but Ren was knowledgeable for her age.

In the afternoon, Ren got a group chat message from Ryuji.

Ryuji: Hey, so I uh can’t take you to that weapon place today.

Ryuji: My mom needs me to go shopping today.

Ryuji: Does tomorrow work for everyone?

Ann: Sorry, I have a photoshoot tomorrow.

Ren: You do photos?

Ryuji: You didn’t know?

Ryuji: She’s a model.

Ann: Well, part-time…

Ann: And it’s not really something that comes up too much.

Ann: In case you forgot, something happened that would have put sharing that information on the backburner.

Ryuji: Right.

Ann: Why don’t just you and Ren go to the weapon place tomorrow?

Ann: It’ll give the two of you a chance to get closer!

Ren: Are you sure?

Ann: Of course!

Ryuji: Alright then. It’s settled. Meet me at Shibuya Station tomorrow Ren.

Ren: Got it.

Ren: I think I have a lead on some medicine.

Ren: I can handle it.

Ryuji: Alright. I’ll leave it up to you then.

Ryuji: Later.

Ren put away her phone and went back to paying attention in class.

Once school was done for the day, she traveled back to Yongen-Jaya. She asked about the doctor to the street dwellers and found that the doctor was close by. Dr. Tae Takemi ran a clinic here in Yongen.

She also heard a few off-hand rumors about her. She apparently has some strangely strong medicine, but she’s also a bit dangerous. Ren didn’t let that bother her too much. After all, she knew a thing or two about being unfairly labeled. Maybe they were just exaggerating.

Ren made her way to the clinic and walked in. Sure enough, she was there, although in a doctor’s coat rather than her full punk-goth getup. “Hello,” Ren said.

Dr. Takemi looked up. “Hm? Oh, you’re that girl from before. What brings you here?”

“Um, I need medicine,” Ren said.

“Medicine huh? What for?” Takemi asked.

“Well…” Ren was panicking. However, she thought she could use that to her advantage. “I’m exhausted.”

“Exhausted?” Takemi said.

“Yeah. I’m constantly worried about entrance exams. Not to mention all of my social anxieties” Ren continued.

“Really?” Takemi said, not quite believing her. “You seem fairly outgoing.”

Ren smiled. “Well, I guess I can be.” She paused. “But there are some things that I’m worried people will find out about me.”

Takemi smiled. “Say no more. Follow me.” Ren met up with her in the office. “So, based on what you said, I think some painkillers might do the trick. Is that alright with you?”

“Well, you’re the doctor,” Ren said.

Takemi smiled mischievously. “If that’s the case, maybe some sleeping pills might be better.”

“Hey” Morgana said from Ren’s bag. “That won’t work in the metaverse.”

“You think she’s on to me?” Ren whispered.

“Well, you can’t be a doctor if you’re not smart,” Morgana said. “Dang it.”

Takemi giggled. “Do you need some metal help as well?”

“Huh?” Ren said.

“You’re talking to your bag,” Takemi pointed out.

“Oh, uh, well…” Ren said nervously.

“It’s fine,” Takemi said. “You seem to be under a lot of pressure. Both here and at the cafe. You seem like a good kid though. I’ll get you whatever you want.”

Ren was relieved. “Thank you doctor.”

“For the right price, of course” Takemi stated seriously. “I do have to keep this place afloat after all.”

“Right. For your other patients” Ren pointed out.

Takemi was surprised then giggled. “I like you. Feel free to stop by when you need something. I’ll be here for you.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you.” She made her purchases and left the office.

While still in the clinic, she saw an aggressive man barge in. “Out of the way kid” he said, pushing her to the side. He barged into Takemi’s office.

“How may I help you?” Takemi said.

“Cut the crap. You know why I’m here” the man said.

“I’m a doctor, not a psychic,” Takemi said. “Although, if you’re looking for something like that, I’ve heard good things about a fortune teller in Shinjuku.”

“Obstinate as ever” the man said. “You should have known that any rumors about you creating special medicine would get back to me eventually.”

“Oh my. You’re keeping tabs on me?” Takemi said. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you have a crush on me.” Ren heard the man growl. “However, I’m not one for these grade-school antics. I much prefer a more mature approach.”

“Laugh all you want for now!” the man yelled. “But if these rumors keep persisting, I’ll make sure you won’t have a license anymore!”

There was a silence. “Is that all?” Takemi said. Ren noted the change in her tone.

“Yes,” the man said.

“Then I’ll ask you to leave,” Takemi said.

“Hm” the man pouted. He left, passing Ren by rudely again. Ren followed him out

On the streets of Yongen, Morgana popped out and asked “Did you hear that?”

“Which part?” Ren said.

“Apparently Dr. Takemi is working on some special medicine. That could be more helpful than the stuff we bought.”

Ren smiled. “You’re always focused on the job, aren’t you?”

“Well, what did you take from that conversation?” Morgana asked.

Ren looked serious. “I was thinking of trying to help Dr. Takemi out with that guy.”

Morgana got serious as well. “I know how you feel, but what can we do?”

“Well, I was thinking,” Ren suggested, “what if that guy had a palace?”

“Hm” Morgana smiled. “Always willing to help others. However, let’s pump the breaks on that for now. We don’t know if you can take on one palace yet. Taking on another might be too much. Besides, Takemi seems like she can handle herself for a bit.”

Ren seemed frustrated. “Look,” Morgana said. “I know. And I promise, we will help her. But if you keep taking these tasks, you might break. Then you can’t help anyone.”

Ren smiled. “You’re right Morgana.”

“Of course I am,” Morgana said. “Besides, I have an idea as to what to do about him But we should focus on the Kamoshida thing first.”

Ren nodded. “We should head back. It’s getting kind of late.” The two returned to Leblanc and spent the rest of the evening doing some studying.

The next day, Ren met up with Ryuji at Shibuya Station. “Hey” said Ryuji.

“Hello,” Ren said.

“So, the shop we’re heading to is in an offshoot of Central Street,” Ryuji explained. “Since you’re new around here, just follow my lead, OK?”

“Got it,” Ren said. Ryuji began walking. Ren followed.

Ryuji was fidgety. “So,um, you wanna go grab something to eat afterwards?” Ren looked at him curiously. “It’s just, we don’t really know each other that well, and yet fate has tied us up in this Persona business. I figured we should at least learn about each other.”

Ren smiled. “I like that idea.”

Ryuji was shocked. “O-OK. Cool. I, um, know a-a pretty good ramen place we can go to. If that’s alright with you.”

“Ramen sounds great,” Ren said.

“Cool. Cool” Ryuji said.

Ren couldn’t help but giggle. “Why are you so nervous?” she asked.

Ryuji’s face turned red. “Well, it’s b-because…”

“You know this isn’t a date, right?” Ren added.

“Oh. R-r-ight” Ryuji said. “So, um…”

“And nothing you say will make it one” Ren said.

“Figures” Ryuji said in resignation.

“Hm-hm” Ren chuckled. “It was a decent effort on your part, but like I told Mishima, I’m probably not the right girl for you.”

“You turned down Mishima too, eh?” Ryuji said. “Well, I guess I’ll have some solidarity.

As they passed through Station Square, the pair heard a street orator speaking to a disinterested public. “People of Tokyo! Please, listen to what I have to say! These mental shutdown occurrences are continuing. Yet the government is in disarray! The government should be working for the people! Yet they do nothing! I vow to you that I will work hard for all of you!”

Ren was curious about this man. His speeches were passionate, and he had an aura of truth about him. Like he believed what he really said. However, she also noticed that she was the person paying attention to his speech the most.

Ryuji looked back to see Ren stopped. “Hm?” He looked at the politician. He walked back over to Ren. “Don’t tell me you’re into older dudes.”

Ren couldn’t help but laugh. “No. No. Sorry. No.” Ren took some time to regain her composure. “Sorry. I was just interested in what he was saying is all.”

“A politician, eh?” Ryuji said. “Well, it’s not like it matters too much, since we can't vote anyway,” He said, continuing to walk.

Ren began following him again. “I know we can’t vote, but it’s important to learn about the world around you. And who knows? He might be up for election when we are able to vote. I liked what he had to say.”

“Yeah Ryuji” said Morgana, popping out of Ren’s bag. “You’ve gotta pay attention. You could learn a thing or two.”

“Wha-WHAT?!” Ryuji said. “That cat’s been here this whole time?!”

“Yeah,” Morgana said. “By the way, you sounded kind of pathetic, trying to ask her out.”

“Sh-shut up!” Ryuji yelled. “It’s not like you’d do any better, you dumb cat!”

“I’m not a cat!” Morgana said. “I just happen to have the form of a cat…”

“Same thing!” Ryuji said.

“Boys! We have a mission” Ren said, calming them down

“Fine!” Ryuji said. “But why is he here anyway?”

“Well, I live in a restaurant,” Ren explained. “If there was a cat just wandering about, people would freak out, and I wouldn’t have any place to live.”

“Oh, I getcha,” Ryuji said. “Wait, you live in a restaurant?!”

“Well, you said it yourself, we need to get to know each other better,” Ren said.

“Well, yeah, but that would surprise anyone!” Ryuji said. “Are you doing OK?”

“Well, I’m doing as fine as I can be,” Ren said.

“Well, good…” Ryuji said. He sighed. “If you were in trouble, I’d be tempted to invite you over to my place, but we don’t got the room.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well thanks anyway.”

They arrived on Central Street. “OK, it’s just round that corner. Keep close” Ryuji explained.

Ren nodded. She followed Ryuji around the bend and saw the shop in view. However, she got a sensation in her mind. She looked at the corner where they turned to see a blue cell door there, and standing next to it was Lavenza. Ren was confused.

“Do not be alarmed,” Lavenza said. “No one else but you can see this.”

“What’s it for?” Ren asked.

“It is to help facilitate your mission” Lavenza said. “If you ever need anything from myself or my master, you may be free to do so.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you Lavenza.” Lavenza nodded back. Ren walked back to Ryuji, and the two entered the store.

Untouchable, the store, was packed with real-looking weapons and other high quality gear. “Wow,” Ren said.

“I know, right?” Ryuji said. “This place is pretty cool.” He handed her some money. “Here.”

Ren was confused. “What’s this for?”

“Well, you seemed like a natural back in the village,” Ryuji said. “I just feel like you might be able to make the best choices for what I should have with me.”

“Understood” Ren said. She approached the surly owner. “Um, hello.” The owner looked up. “I was wondering what kind of stuff you would recommend for a really realistic-looking model.”

The owner seemed cautious. “What would you do with such a model?” he asked. “You two seem a bit young to be gun buffs.”

“What are you talking about?! I was here last week!” Ryuji shouted.

“Hm. Don’t remember you” the man said.

“For real?!” Ryuji said.

“Well, I’m a real gun aficionado” Ren said. “Truth be told, he showed me a gun he bought from here, and I insisted he show me the place.”

“Hm. I see” the man said, a smile adorning his face. “Well, for really realistic stuff, we have a few things.” The man helped Ren pick out weapons and gear for the whole team.

“Thanks,” Ren said.

“Come again,” the man said. “Just be sure to be cool when it comes to showing those to people. I don’t want any negative press coming back to me.”

“Understood” Ren said. She and Ryuji left.

“How did you manage to win him over?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, I do like guns,” Ren said. “I’m not that much of an expert, but I really do like the detail on these guns, even if we weren’t using them to shoot up shadows. Plus, he seemed like a man who takes pride in his work.”

“I see,” Ryuji said.

“Maybe you could learn a thing or two from her as well,” Morgana said.

“Shut up” Ryuji responded.

“So, how ‘bout that ramen now?” Ren said.

“Huh? Oh, yeah” Ryuji said. “Let’s head back to the station. It’s a bit of a commute, but it’s good.” The group headed out.

They arrived at the ramen place. “So this is it,” Ren observed.

“Yeah, it’s great!” Ryuji said. “But it is a restaurant.” He gave a look to Morgana.

“...Fine. I can just walk around a bit. Besides, this does seem like a personal thing between the two of you.” Morgana hopped out the bag. “I’ll meet you back here. Don’t worry.” He started walking about.

“So, shall we go in?” Ryuji said. Ren nodded. They stepped inside. Ren handed Ryuji some money. “Huh?”

“Well, you let me pick out the weapons,” Ren said. “And you seem to know this place better than I do. I’m just returning the favor.”

“Alright! I know just the thing!” Ryuji ordered them each a bowl of their best ramen. “Kay, so while we’re waiting, I guess I can tell you a bit about myself. What do you wanna know?”

Ren thought about it. “Well, you said Kamoshida took everything from you. What does that mean?”

Ryuji looked dejected. “Going straight for it, eh?” he said.

Ren panicked. “If it’s too much, you don’t-”

“Nah, it’s alright,” Ryuji said. “Truth is, I used to be on the track team. I’m not good at much but I was second to none when it came to running! So, I figured I’d try helping my mom out by getting a track scholarship.”

“Help your mom out?” Ren inquired.

“Oh, yeah,” Ryuji said. “My dad isn’t around anymore.”

“I’m sorry,” Ren said.

“Don’t be,” Ryuji replied. “The guy was the dictionary definition of the word scumbag. He left me and my mom and I before I graduated elementary school. All he would do before that was drink and beat my mom. I think he wanted to beat me too, but my mom wouldn’t let him”

“Sounds awful,” Ren said.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “Still, I had thought I put all that behind me. But then Kamoshida showed up. He doesn’t like anything that he can’t control, and he knew that included me. He found out about my dad, and told everyone.”

Ryuji smiled, though he looked completely dejected. “I can still remember that moment. Everyone was looking at me in horror. I didn’t know what to do. I panicked and I ended up punching Kamoshida in the face.” He sighed.

“What happened next?” Ren asked.

Ryuji frowned. “Kamoshida knew something would happen, but I doubt he was expecting that. He got really mad and broke my leg. The school took his side in it all, and the track team was forced to disband. It’s bullshit! It sucks, you know?”

Ren calmly stated “Yeah. I get it.”

“Here you go,” said the server, delivering their bowls.

Ryuji was now curious. “You get it?” Ren nodded. “Well, since I just spilled my guts, it’s only fair you spill yours.”

“Hm. Fair enough” Ren said. She ate some of her ramen. “Wow, this is good.”

“I know, right?” Ryuji said, excited. “But back to the matter at hand.”

“I know, I know” Ren said. She sighed. “The truth is, I have a criminal record.”

“For real?!” Ryuji said. “What, did somebody think you were too cute and have you arrested?”

Ren giggled. “Ann asked me the same thing when I told her. But no. What happened was there was this man trying to force a woman to get into his car. I tried putting a stop to it, and the man fell and started bleeding. Some officers came by and he told them that I had assaulted him. I was tried and sentenced quickly, and now I’m on parole.

My family thought that a kid on parole in my small town would stick out, so they sent me here. The person I ended up with asked me to live in the restaurant they run because their home situation seems complicated. But he seems nice overall.”

Ryuji was in shock. “Holy shit! What an effing d-bag! I can’t believe it!”

“Ryuji?” Ren said.

“I can’t STAND selfish adults doing whatever they want while making us suffer! It’s BULLSHIT!” Ryuji continued. “How the hell are you so calm about things?”

Ren set down her chopsticks for a bit. “Well, it’s all I can do,” she explained. “I’m always worried about what will happen if everyone at school found out about my record. But fretting about it would be pointless. So I just need to press on.”

“That sucks,” Ryuji said. “You can’t just keep all that in.” He thought about it. “Well, I know I’m not the smartest person, but if you ever need anything, I’m always willing to lend an ear.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Chariot Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 1

“Well we should finish this ramen,” Ryuji said. “No sense in letting it go to waste.”

“Agreed” Ren said. The two finished their ramen and left to go home for the day.

Chapter 9: Promises

Notes:

I did want this chapter to be the exploration of Kamoshida's palace, but the set-up ended up longer than I had anticipated, so I split it up. Man, this is going to be long. But then again, Persona usually is.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next morning. Today’s the day she thought. The day we’re going to infiltrate Kamoshida’s Palace. She got herself ready and got dressed. She woke Morgana up and he hopped in her bag. She walked down, ate her curry breakfast, and headed to school.

Outside of the school she ran into Ryuji. “Oh hey” Ryuji said. “So, we heading in today?” Ren nodded. “Good.” Ren thought about something. “What is it?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, I was just thinking,” Ren pondered, “we should probably find a good meeting place to discuss everything.”

“What’s there to discuss?” Ryuji asked.

“You moron!” Morgana said from the bag. “It’s important to go over everything and not just act on impulse.”

“Man, you are one rude cat,” Ryuji said.

“I am NOT a cat!” Morgana shouted.

“Was that a cat meowing just now?” said a nearby student.

“Where do you think it’s coming from?” another said.

The group was embarrassed. “This is also part of the reason I want to organize a meeting spot.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Ryuji said, relenting. “Why not the roof. There’s only a few people who ever go up there anyway. I’m sure we won’t bother them.”

Ren nodded. “Alright, I’ll tell Ann and we’ll meet on the roof after school.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ryuji said. The two continued to march into school.

On their way to class, a teacher called out Ryuji. “Sakamoto!” The pair turned to see the teacher alongside Kamoshida. “Did you threaten Mr. Kamoshida?”

“What?! No. I-” Ryuji let out.

“Mr. Kamoshida said you did” said the teacher.

“There were plenty of people there. Any one of them would say you did” Kamoshida said.

“Really?” Ren said. “Because I was there and I don’t remember it like that.”

“Is this true?” the other teacher asked.

“Well, she was there,” Kamoshida said.

“What did you see?” the other teacher asked.

Ren thought about it. “From what I saw, Ryuji was trying to tell Kamoshida something, but Mr. Kamoshida wouldn’t listen.”

The other teacher turned to Ryuji. “Sakamoto, is this true?”

“Uh, yeah!” Ryuji said.

“Hm” the other teacher said. “Well, from numerous other reports, it did turn into a screaming match.”

“Well, uh, that’s true…” Ryuji said.

The teacher turned to Mr. Kamoshida. “Kamoshida, I’ll have a talk with him about his temper. If it doesn’t seem like he’ll change, I’ll take your recommendation into consideration.”

“Thanks,” Kamoshida said, smiling. Ryuji and Ren were confused about this. Kamoshida walked off.

“Sakamoto,” the teacher said. “Let’s go.”

“Right now?” Ryuji asked. The teacher nodded. Ryuji sighed. “Fine. Later Ren” Ryuji said. Ryuji and the teacher walked off.

Ren continued on looking back at them when she ran into someone and they both fell over. “Sorry,” Ren said.

“It’s OK Senpai!” Kasumi said. Ren looked and sure enough it was Kasumi. Her smiling face made Ren blush a little bit. Kasumi got back up and dusted herself off. “Here, let me help you up.” She offered her hand.

Ren stared at it for a little bit before reaching out and getting pulled back up. “Thanks,” she said. “You know, you’re surprisingly strong.”

Kasumi giggled. “Thank you Senpai,” she said. “It comes from a lifetime of gymnastics.” Ren smiled. “Although, I guess bumping into you wasn’t very graceful, was it?”

“I guess not,” Ren said. “Although I bumped into you.”

“Wait,” Kasumi said.

Ren grew concerned. “Kasumi?”

“Why did I say that?” Kasumi said. She grabbed her head. “Ugh!”

“Kasumi, are you OK? Ren asked.

“Why?” Kasumi said, curling up while still standing. “Why is this happening?! Why am I here?!” She began to wobble.

“KASUMI!” Ren shouted. Kasumi began falling. Ren caught her. Ren began breathing heavily. She picked her up. Despite being strong, she’s also pretty light. Ren focused up. She carried Kasumi to the nurse’s office.

After an examination, the nurse turned to Ren. “It seems she’s running a fever.”

“Is she going to be alright?” Ren asked.

The nurse nodded. “It looks like it’s just from stress. Once she’s had a chance to relax, I’m sure she’ll be alright. Thank you for taking her here right away. She might have been worse off otherwise.”

Ren was relieved. “Thank you.”

The nurse smiled. “You should get to class. She’ll be alright here. We’ll do everything to make sure of that.”

Ren bowed. “Thanks again.” She left. She was still worried about Kasumi, but she knew she was in good hands. When she got to class, she told Ann about the meeting spot. Afterwards, the two of them sat down.

All day in class she was worried about Kasumi and Kamoshida. She did fine with her grades, so she wasn’t worried about that. She knew they had to start today, but didn’t want to leave Kasumi like that. She vowed to check up on her after school before meeting with everyone else.

Once class had ended for the day, Ann was getting up when Ren spoke up. “Hey Ann.” Ann turned towards her. “You go on ahead. I’ve got something I need to check up on.”

“Huh?” Ann said.

Ren smiled. “Don’t worry. I’ll be there in a bit.”

“OK” Ann said.

“Thank you,” Ren said. She got up and walked out. Ann was standing still and blushing nervously. She eventually regained her composure somewhat and walked up to the roof, abit stiffly.

Ren was walking through the halls when she overheard some conversations. “Man, did the honors student really miss all of today’s classes?”

“Talk about special treatment. I wish I could do that.”

“Maybe you should get a special skill.”

“Yeah. But it could be anything. I mean, gymnastics isn’t all that special.”

Morgana was hissing. “How terrible are these people?! She passed out! Do they only care about themselves?! How selfish!”

Ren thought about it. “It’s just like she said.” Morgana halted his anger for a second. “She told me that no one wants to talk with her because of her honors status.” Ren looked dejected.

Morgana picked up on that. “Well, that’s not true.” Ren looked at him. “You were worried about her all day. I’m sure she’ll be happy once you greet her.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Morgana.” She continued walking.

Ann was the first one on the roof. “Alright. I’m here.” She said

“Whatcha doin’?” Ryuji asked, coming up behind her.

Ann was startled. “Don’t do that!” she yelled, slapping him

“OW!” Ryuji said, recoiling. “What was that for?”

“Oh. Sorry” Ann said. “You just surprised me.”

Ryuji sighed. He got up. “So, where’s Ren?” he asked.

“She had something to do,” Ann said.

“Oh. I see” Ryuji said.

Ann smiled. “Don’t worry. She said she’d make it.” The two continued to wait, though it was a little awkward.

Ren made it to the nurse’s office. She was relieved when she saw Kasumi eating some jello. “Oh, senpai,” Kasumi said. Ren walked over. “I heard you carried me to the nurse’s office.” She looked off. “I’m sorry I worried you.”

Ren smiled. “It’s alright. I’m just glad you’re OK.” She sat down next to her bed. “Are you feeling better?”

Kasumi thought about it. “I guess. I dunno. Something still feels off to me. But I should be alright.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Ren said. “Just make sure to get some rest. I don’t want you ending up in the hospital.”

“Don’t worry senpai!” Kasumi said. “I’ll be sure to make a full recovery. And thank you.” Ren was surprised. “I...I don’t know what would have happened if it wasn’t for you. I might still be on the floor had I passed out on my own.”

Ren frowned. She knew that Kasumi might be right, based on what everyone was saying. “Don’t worry about it.” Kasumi looked at Ren. “I’m just doing what anyone would do. I’m not all that special.” She was fighting back tears. While she was saying all of those things, she knew that she was lying. She could have died, and no one would have cared because she’s an “honors student.” What pathetic people.

Ren felt a hug. “It’s OK senpai,” Kasumi said. “I know people just see me as a honors student. And it sounds like you know too.” She let go. “I don't want to be a burden on you…”

Ren found her resolve. “You’re not a burden.” Kasumi looked up at her. “You’re not just some honors student. You deserve to feel. You deserve to love, and be loved in return. You deserve a break when you need it. You deserve to live. Because you’re here.”

Kasumi blushed. She became completely flustered. “Th-thanks.”

Ren smiled. “Are you going to be alright now?”

Kasumi was still stunned. “Y-yes. Um, Senpai? Can I get your contact info? I mean, just so we can make sure we’re alright? And reach out to each other when we need it.”

Ren smiled. “I’d like that.” They exchanged contact information. “Alright then. I have to get going now. Promise me you’ll be alright.”

Kasumi was still shaken. She then smiled and said “I will be. My parents are picking me up soon. Thank you senpai.” Ren smiled and left. As she was leaving, Kasumi’s heart skipped a beat. She got a minor headache when a thought crossed her mind. No one’s ever said that to me before.

After all that, Ren finally made it to the roof. “Where have you been?” Ann asked, slightly relieved that she was now here.

“We were starting to get worried about you,” Ryuji added.

Ren looked distant. “Something happened this morning… Yoshizawa fainted in front of me.”

The two of them were shocked. “Is she OK?” Ann asked.

“Wait, the honors student?!” Ryuji asked.

“She’s fine,” Ren said. “The nurse told me she passed out due to stress.”

“I’m not surprised,” Ann said. “I mean, she must be under a lot of pressure. Not to mention the rumors.”

“It’s such bullshit, the things I hear,” Ryuji said. “I know I deserve some of the things said about me, but she’s doing her best. Why do people have to be such jerks, you know?”

“Yeah,” Morgana said. “We overheard some of that too.”

“I met up with her before coming here to make sure everything was OK,” Ren said.

“And…?” Ann asked

Ren smiled. “I think she’ll be alright.”

“Alright! Way to go!” Ryuji said.

“Now, with that out of the way, let’s discuss our plans” Morgana said. The four of them gathered around a table. “We’ve spent the weekend preparing everything, so we should be good to go.”

Ren nodded. “I think we should begin the infiltration today.”

“Are you sure? Ann asked. “It’s OK if you don’t want to if you’re worried about Yoshizawa.”

Ren shook her head. “I’m fine. I know she’ll pull through.”

“Well, if you’re good, then so am I” Ann said.

“Alright!” Morgana said. “We know Kamoshida is a bastard. And we know Shiho is organizing students to kill him by locking him in the school and burning it down during an early morning teacher’s meeting May 2nd. So that is our deadline. Is there anything else we should know.”

“Well, I know that this doesn’t mean much,” Ryuji said. “But because of the argument I got into with Kamoshida, I have to be on my best behavior. Kamoshida said he’d expel me at that meeting, and my homeroom teacher agreed if I didn’t clean up my act.”

“What are you talking about?” Morgana said.

“Huh?” Ryuji said.

“That IS important,” Morgana said.

“Um, I don’t follow,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, I don’t get it either” Ann said.

“Not you too, Lady Ann” Morgana said.

“‘Lady Ann’?” Ann replied.

“Er, forget I said that” Morgana said. “Anyway, from here on, we are going to be acting as phantom thieves. A group of clandestine individuals who sneak into other people’s hearts and steal their desires without a trace. If there’s going to be pressure on Ryuji, then Ryuji shouldn’t  do anything to stick out or give us away.”

“Oh. I see” Ryuji said. “Alright! I think I can do that.”

“You say loudly” Morgana remarked.

“Ryuji’s always been kind of loud,” Ann said. “I think you need to work on that.”

“Yeah, alright,” Ryuji said.

Ren nodded. “Is everyone ready?” They all looked at her. “Once we begin, we’re in this for real. No turning back.”

Ann nodded. “I’ll do anything to help Shiho.”

Ryuji grinned. “We’re going to make sure everything will turn out alright.”

“Well, you know I’m here to help you with anything,” Morgana said.

“Well then, it’s settled,” Ren said. “Starting today, we are going to be phantom thieves. Changing the world, one heart at a time.”

“I like that!” Ryuji said.

“Me too,” Ann said. “It gives us some mystique.”

Morgana nodded. “We’ll see our justice through to the end!”

Ren felt a surge of energy swelling up in her through her new group of ragtag friends.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Fool Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 1

Notes:

Just a bit of inside baseball. The reason I don't add every tag I plan on tagging right away is because it's too much of an undertaking right at the start, so I prefer to do that as I go. Another reason is because I don't want to spoil certain things. Having said that, I am going to tag the Yoshizawa/Ren ship right now because we're starting to see that develop more.

Chapter 10: Kamoshida's Palace

Notes:

Ho boy, this is a big one. I guess Places are supposed to be huge though. It IS a lot though, even after trimming the fat. 14 pages on Google Docs.

Anyways, like with the rest of this fic, there are some changes to the dungeon, but it's pretty similar. I don't remember every detail exactly, but a full replication was never my intention.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The four of them headed into the metaverse to take on Kamoshida’s Palace. “So, we’re still in the village…” Morgana surmised.

“You said the treasure is in the castle, right?” Ren said. “How do you suppose we get there?”

“I don’t think they'll let us in through the front gate,” Ann said.

“Hold on,” Ryuji said.

The other three looked at him. “What’s up?” Ren asked.

Ryuji got a little embarrassed. “Well, I know that this isn’t that important, but I was kind of thinking. We’re thieves, right? We should have cool code names or something.”

“Really?” Ann said.

“Bonehead’s right,” Morgana said. “Who knows what will happen if we continually and loudly say our own names in someone else’s head?”

“Well, that makes sense…” Ann said.

“You don’t gotta call me a bonehead though…” Ryuji moped.

Morgana smiled. “Why not? It’s your codename.”

“What was that?” Ryuji growled.

“Hang on,” Ren said. “Let’s decide code names we all can agree upon.” She looked at Ryuji. “I can see why you’d call him that though.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“But I think Skull suits him better,” Ren finished.

“Alright!” Ryuji smiled. “I like it!”

“You’re so easy to please,” Morgana said.

“Shut it Mona!” Ryuji hissed.

“Is THAT supposed to be my code name?” Morgana said.

Ryuji sighed. “Oh good, I didn’t accidentally let your name slip.”

“You forgot my name?!” Morgana said.

“I kind of like Mona as a name for him,” Ann said.

“Me too,” Ren agreed. “His entire existence is full of questions, but he is an undeniable good. Much like the Mona Lisa.”

Ann was surprised. “I wasn’t thinking that deep. I just thought it was cute.”

Morgana got embarrassed. “Well, if she thinks it’s cute…”

Ryuji raised his eyebrow. “And you say I’m easy to please.”

“So, what about me?” Ann asked.

The others thought about it for a bit. “What about Kitty?” Ryuji said.

“Ugh. As if” Ann said.

“Well, your costume is reminiscent of a cat,” Ren said. “But I agree that it should be more powerful.”

“Well...how about Panther?” Ann suggested.

“Panther?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah. They’re like ferocious cats” Ann said.

Ren nodded. “Panther it is.”

“So, now all that’s left is our leader,” Ann said.

“We could just call her Leader,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, but where’s the fun in that?” Ren asked.

“I agree,” Ann said. “It should be something at least a little playful.”

“How about Joker?” Morgana suggested. The three humans looked at him. “Well, it does have that playfulness quality, but it also goes along with the fact that she’s our wild card.”

“Joker, huh?” Ren thought about it. She smiled. “I like it.”

“Well, if she’s fine with it, then I have no objections,” Ryuji said.

“Joker it is!” Ann shouted.

“Now that that’s all settled, let’s figure out how to storm the castle!” Ren said. They looked at the castle and noticed something. “The drawbridge to town is up.”

“Yeah, I figured they wouldn’t want any intruders. Especially with the state the town is in” Ann said.

They looked at the town. “There seems to be a lot of guards patrolling the town,” Ryuji said. “Maybe one of them has a way of getting in.”

“Not a bad idea, Skull,” Morgana said.

“Thanks Mona” Ryuji replied.

Before they left, the Velvet Room appeared to Ren. “We will also be here to guide you,” Lavenza said, appearing next to the door. “Come here if you need help when you’re in this world.” Ren nodded and left to meet up with her team.

The thieves sneak their way into town. “So, how do we get the way in?” Ann asked.

“Well, we kind of just have to fight them,” Morgana said.

“What?!” Ann said.

“We don’t know what we’re looking for,” Morgana said. “Besides, if they have it, there’s no reason to not use our full force.” Morgana looked at Ren. “Joker. On your word.” Ren nodded and ambushed the closest enemy. “Alright everyone, there’s a few things we need to go over,” Morgana said. “Firstly, shadows have weaknesses. If we can figure them out, we can down them easier. Don’t worry. I’ll keep track of them for now. You already know the weakness for this one Joker. You do the honors.”

Ren nodded again. She took out her gun and shot the shadow, a pixie, into submission. The gang of four surrounded the shadow. Morgana continued “Alright, now we’re in a position where we can ask for things. Ideally, the way to get across would be nice. But some cash wouldn’t hurt. After all, we’re thieves. Again Joker, it’s up to you.”

Ren smiled then grew serious. “Alright then shadow!” she said. “How are we supposed to get across?”

“Huh?” said the shadow. “I-I don’t know how.”

“You don’t?” Morgana said. “Well, how ‘bout some cash?”

“Fresh out” the shadow said.

“Wh-what?!” Morgana said. “This isn’t going how I planned.”

“Well, this is a bust,” Ryuji said. “Let’s just end them.”

“Hold on!” the shadow cried. “I think I can help!” Everyone was confused. “That’s right. I am not a shadow belonging to Kamoshida. I belong to the entirety of humanity! I shall become your mask and fight alongside you!”

Ren smiled. “OK.” The shadow turned into a mask and Ren took it for herself.

“Woah! What just happened?” Ryji said.

“Did you…?” Ann said in disbelief.

“Huh” Morgana said. “I remember Sir Igor and Lady Lavenza saying you’d have a peculiar power. I guess this is it.

“Right. Those people you told us about” Ryuji said. “Man, I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around this.”

“It’s not too late to call you Bonehead” Morgana said.

“I’m FINE!” Ryuji hissed.

“What’s going on?” another guard said.

“Crap, we got caught!” Ryuji said.

“Well, who’s fault is that?!” Morgana said.

“Uh, yours for calling me Bonehead!” Ryuji scathed.

“There’s no time for that,” Ren said. “Let’s just deal with this guy.” The four of them attacked the guard, and with the help of her new Persona, Ren managed to capture this one’s mask as well.

“Well, this day is just filled with multiple surprises,” Ren said.

“Yeah, but none of them are how to get to the castle,” Ann said.

“Hi there” said a voice. The thieves turned to see the cloaked figure that Ren saw in her dream.

Ren got defensive. “What do you want?”

The figure giggled. “I thought your name was Joker to add a sense of playfulness. But now you’re all serious.”

“Uh, Joker. Who is this?” Ryuji asked.

“This is the person we’re supposed to fight,” Ren said sternly.

“Really?” Ryuji said. “Well then, let’s take them on!”

“You MORON!” Morgana said. “They’re too powerful for us to fight now.”

“Your kitty friend is right,” the figure said. “However, I am playing this game fair and square. I expect you to do the same.”

“Meaning?” Ann asked.

“Neither of us shall fight until the proper time” the figure said.

“So what are you doing here now?” Ann asked.

“Well, while I insist on playing fair, it’s still a perfectly acceptable result if you lose this early” the figure gloated. “The thieves growled. “However, I will come to your aid when you are stuck. And right now, you appear to be stuck.” The thieves now appear to be confused. The figure giggled. “Follow me.” They took off.

“Should we follow her?” Ann asked.

“It doesn’t seem like we got much of a choice,” Ryuji said.

“As much as I hate to admit it, Skull’s right,” Morgana said.

“Why do you not like me?” Ryuji asked.

“What? No! I meant, I hate having to follow her!” Morgana protested.

“You do seem to pick on Ryuji a lot though Mona” Ann said.

“True,” Ren said.

“Well, that doesn’t mean I don’t like Skull,” Morgana said. “Forget it. For now, we have a mission.”

“Alright,” Ryuji said. Let's just head out.” The group followed the figure.

The figure lead them to a part of the shore with a rope reaching from one edge of the moat to the side with the castle on it. “Well, here we are,” the figure said.

The four were confused. “Um, is this how we’re supposed to get across?” Ryuji asked.

“This doesn’t seem very safe,” Ann said.

“And indeed it isn’t” the figure said. The thieves looked at them confused. “The moat is teaming with alligators. One false step, and you’re chow.”

The thieves were shocked. “WHAT?!” Ryuji said. “No way we’re doing this!”

“Wait! Look over there!” Morgana said. “There’s a boat! If one of us can get across, they can use the boat to get the rest of us over!”

“Alright!” Ryuji said. “Good eye Mona!”

“But, why was this rope used at all?” Ann asked.

“I feel like I know the answer,” Ren said. She looked at the figure. “This was used by Shiho, wasn’t it?”

“You are correct!” the figure answered.

“WHAT?! There’s no way Shiho would do something that dangerous!” Ann protested.

The figure chuckled. “You have to remember, this was for her to escape the castle. To her, this danger was nothing compared to the pain and misery of living there.”

Ann started tearing up. “...Shiho.”

Morgana glared at them. “She only felt bad in there because you did something to her.”

“Oh, ho, ho! Kitty has claws” replied the figure. “While it’s true that THIS world’s Shiho wasn’t aware of the castle until I woke her up to it, she’s been living with what this castle has wrought for some time now.” Morgana could not think of a comeback to that.

Ren put her foot down. “Well that ends now” she proclaimed. The other three looked at their leader and nodded in affirmation.

The figure smiled. “Hm. Just what I’d expect. As much as I’ll allow you to fail, I’d be so disappointed if we didn’t clash heads when the time comes.”

“As would I,” Ren said.

“Heh. There’s the playfulness” the figure said. They then disappeared.

“Grrrr. I can’t WAIT to get my hands on them!” Ryuji said.

“Well, for now, we have a way across,” Ann said. “It’s just a matter of who can walk the tightrope.”

Ren looked at Ann. “No offence, but I don’t think it should be you. I mean, your costume has heels.”

“Huh?” Ann said. She looked at her costume. “Oh yeah. Surprisingly, they don’t feel like heels at all. It feels like I’m walking on air. But I agree I might not be the best choice.”

“I could do it,” Morgana said. “I’m fairly nimble.”

“Yeah, but you’re also small,” Ann said. “I don’t know if you can paddle that boat across.”

“Mmmmm” groaned Morgana.

“I’ll do it,” Ryuji said.

“Sk-Skull?” Ann said.

“I’m still pretty fast,” Ryuji continued. “Besides, all of you are a little more well-versed in all of this. It’s my turn to contribute to the team.” Upon saying that, he realized something. “It feels like I finally get it now.

Ann seemed concerned. “But-”

Ren put her hand on Ann’s shoulder. She turned to Ryuji. “I believe in you.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.” He got on the rope, took a deep breath, and started running and screaming. He maintained his focus on the other side of the moat. Eventually he reached it, and crashed into the wall of the castle. He breathed heavily for a moment, and then gave a thumbs up.

Ann was relieved. “Oh Skull,” she said.

Ryuji got into the boat and began rowing it across the moat to the others. Once he got there, he said “Hop in.”

“Ladies first” Morgana said. Ann and Ren went in the boat. Morgana jumped and Ren caught him.

“Alright, let’s go!” Ryuji said He began rowing them to the castle. Once there, the four got out and looked at the wall. “So, we’re here now, but how do we enter?”

“Over there” Ren pointed out. There was a hole in the castle wall. “We can enter through here.”

“Alright! Score one for Joker!” Ryuji said.

Ren smirked. “Please, if we were keeping score, I’d have more than one.”

“Um, yeah…” Ryuji said, embarrassed.

Ren chortled. “Come on, silly, let’s go.”

“Uh, yeah” Ryuji said.

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “Before we enter, you should know something.”

“What is it Mona?” Ann asked.

Morgana looked serious. “From here on, we're in Kamoshida’s territory. Which means things might get rougher. Both in terms of shadows, and in terms of what Kamoshida thinks of his surroundings.”

“What do ya mean?”Ryuji asked.

“This is a cognitive world,” Morgana explained. “Whatever Kamoshida thinks of this school, it takes full shape.”

Ryuji looked at the castle. “So he thinks of this school as his own castle. Tch. How spot on is that.”

“Are you ready?” Morgana asked.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “I know Kamoshida’s depraved. Nothing about this will truly shock me.”

“Alright let’s go,” Morgana said.

The thieves entered the castle. Inside, it was dark and dingy. “Where are we?” Ryuji asked.

“If I had to guess, this appears to be a dungeon of sorts” Ann said.

“Well, I don’t think the treasure would be here,” Ren said. “So let’s keep going.” The group continued on. On their way to find a way into the castle proper, they heard some grunts. “What was that?”

“I dunno” Ryuji said. “But let’s check it out.” They followed the noise. Once they make it, they see a bunch of students in devices that could only be described as tortuous. “DAMMIT!” shouted Ryuji.

“Kamoshida!” Ann said with contempt.

Morgana groaned. “As much as these images hurt, these are only cognitions. They aren’t real. But they represent how they’re being treated in reality.”

Ren looked on in disgust. “Well put a stop to this. For sure.” The others nodded. They continued their trek through the dungeon.

On their way, Morgana noticed something. “Wait!” he said. The others came to a halt. “Over here!” He called their attention to a door. “In here.” He walked in and the others followed.

“What’s this?” Ann asked.

“This is a safe room,” Morgana explained. “It is a place where the cognition is weak. Thus any shadows won’t attack us. We can use spaces like this to take a break. We can also traverse back and forth between them easier once we get to them.”

“Oh. Nice” Ryuji said.

“Well, let’s take a break right now,” Ren said. “Who knows what we'll be facing ahead.” The gang decided to rest for a bit before continuing onward.

They managed to get out of the dungeon and press onwards. They made it to the main hall. “Wow,” Ryuji said.

Ren pondered for a moment. “Why haven’t we spotted any shadows?”

The doors started to open. “Spoke too soon,” Morgana said.

“Hurry!” Ann shouted. The gang of thieves made their way to the other side of the main hall. As they hid, a swarm of shadows reported to the main hall. The group decided to look in on the events that unfurled.

Kamoshida came out of a room and moved to the top of the stairs. “It has come to my attention that there’s been some tampering with one of the patrol boats.”

“Man, how did he know that?” Morgana asked.

“Tch. It’s just how paranoid he is” Ryuji said. “If something isn’t to his exact liking, he’ll know right away and do something about it.”

“Skull…” Ann said.

“It seems like there might be intruders in the castle,” Kamoshida continued. “As you know, a threat has been made against my life. I won’t let that stand. And neither will any of you! Begin patrolling this place at once!”

“YES SIR!” the crowd of shadows said in unison.

“Great. Now we’ll have an army of shadows to deal with” Ryuji said.

“That was bound to happen,” Morgana said. “But luckily, we have our Personas with us. They are our proof that our wills are stronger than Kamoshida’s.” Ryuji smiled. “Besides, we have a new bit of information. The drawbridge is down. So if we can find a way out, we’ll have a straight shot back to the village.” The others nodded.

“I take it the main hall’s out though,” Ryuji said.

“Of course. What Phantom Thief would take the front door?” Ren asked.

“She gets it,” Morgana said.

Ren looked around. “Let’s try that door.” She opened the door.

“It looks like a room,” Ann said.

“Hold up Panther,” Ren said. “Look there.”

Ann was confused. “The air vent?”

“Correct. A thief’s best friend.”

“You’re really getting into this whole Phantom Thief thing, aren’t you?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, when it’s up to you to stick it to people like Kamoshida, or save the world from a mysterious figure that gets off on death and destruction, you gotta have fun with it” Ren said.

“That’s our Joker,” Morgana said. The four of them began climbing out of the vent. Incidentally, once they got out, it was a mere stone’s throw from the drawbridge.

“Alright!” Ryuji said.

“So, with this, we can get back anytime?” Ann said.

“Correct,” Morgana said.

Ren smiled. “Let’s keep going for now. I’m feeling pumped.”

“You’re in charge,” Ann said. “Let’s go!” The group headed back in.

They made their way further in the castle, fighting shadows as they went. On occasion, Ren would head back to the village to head into the Velvet Room to fuse more Personas.

They then came across a room with a table that was completely barred off. “Woah! What’s this?” Ryuji said.

“Hmmmm” Morgana wondered. “Well, it must be important if it’s being blockaded like this. Can you figure this out Joker?”

Ren looked around. Thanks to the abilities given to her by Igor, she spotted the solution to the problem. “And there we go.”

“Wow Joker, that was amazing!” Ann said.

“Well, I do what I do,” Ren said.

“So what was being guarded?” Ryuji said. He walked over and picked it up. “A map? That’s it?”

“Don’t be stupid!” Morgana said. “Do you know how valuable a map is to a thief?” Morgana hoped on the table to peak at the map. “Hmm.”

“What is it Mona?” Ann asked.

“This only appears to be half of the map” he answered.

“Well that’s half better than we have. So it’s ours for the taking” Ren said.

“Heh heh” Morgana said.

“You really are a glass half full kind of person” Ann said.

“Well, it depends on the situation,” Ren said.

Ryuji seemed confused. “When would you be glass half empty?”

“Getting arrested on false charges doesn’t allow for many glasses to seem half full,” Ren said.

“Oh…right…” Ryuji said.

Ann smiled. “Still, you’re making the best of it.”

Ren smiled back. “I guess I am. Anyway, let’s go.” They continued their trek through the castle.

They found their way to a set of stairs that were broken. “WHAT?! What kind of shit is this?” Ryuji spouted.

“And according to the map, this is the only way through here” Ann said.

“Heh he heh. Not to worry” Morgana said. “Look up there.” He points to a latch in the shape of a goat.

Ryuji stared at it. “What are we supposed to do with that?”

“Luckily for you, I made you these!” Morgana said, presenting some grappling hooks to the team.

Everyone put them on. “Wow. I’m impressed. Thanks Mona!” Ryuji said.

“Of course!”  Mogana said. “Now, this is a bit tricky, so allow me to demonstrate.”

Before he could, Ren swung her grappling hook to the latch and propelled herself through the air and up the stairs. Everyone looked at her impressed. “Aren’t you guys coming?”

“Hell yeah!” Ryuji said, throwing his hook and jettisoning up.

“Coming!” Ann said, as she did the same.

Morgana was still shocked. “Hey! Wait for me!” he followed suit.

The group continued on through the castle. They found a door with a goat lever next to it. Ren tried pulling it but nothing happened. “Huh” Ren said.

“Hey look underneath” Ann said. “There’s a little indent. Do you think we need to put something in there?”

“What an astute observation Pather” Morgana said.

“How come you’re never this nice with me?” Ryuji asked.

Ren looked at Ryuji. “Do you want him to be?”

Morgana was blushing. “Um, I’ll pass.”

“You’ll...pass?” Ryuji asked.

“No. I mean…” Morgana said, flustered. “Never mind.” Ren giggled. Ryuji remained confused. “Anyway, let’s look for what could fill this indent.” They began exploring the area around the door to find a set of rooms with books and shelves. In one of the rooms they found a book entitled “The Slave Book”.

“The eff is this?” Ryuji said.

“Hmm. I’m not sure, but it seems important” Morgana said. “We should take it.”

“Agreed,” Ren said, book already in hand.

“That was fast,” Ann said.

“C’mon. Let’s keep moving” Ren said. They entered a similar room to find “The Queen Book”. “‘The Queen Book’? Ren pondered.

“Well, let’s take this one too,” Morgana said.

“If we end up having to read them, I hope they’re in Japanese” Ryuji said.

“These are books that appear in Kamoshida’s head” Ann reminded him. “I kind of don’t want to read them.”

“Well, when you put it that way, I don’t want to either,” Ryuji said.

“These do seem like unusual books though” Ren said. “And we’re in an old castle. There’s bound to be a secret with these books.” They continued onward.

In another room, they not only found a book entitled “The King Book”, they also found a set of shelves that were missing one book. Ren grabbed “The King Book” and looked it over. “Well, do you think the books go to these shelves?” Ren asked.

“I suppose so” Ryuji said.

“It’s worth a shot” Ann said.

“And if we mess up and a guard comes, we can always fall back on our Personas” Morgana said.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that,” Ann said. They approached one of the shelves. “Let’s see” Ann said, looking the books over. “Huh?”

“What is it?” Morgana asked.

“Look at these titles!” Ann said. “These are names of boys in school.”

“What?!” Ryuji said. He looked at them. “Holy shit.”

Ren looked at them, and read one of the titles. “‘Yuuki Mishima: The Useful Idiot.’”

“How cruel,” Ryuji said.

“Here’s one,” Morgana said. “‘Ryuji Sakamoto: The Clueless Ape.’”

“Grrrr. That effin’ Kamoshida!” Ryuji cursed out.

“So, what book do you think goes there?” Ann said.

Ren looked at the slot in the shelf. “Well, seeing as we saw what was happening in the dungeon, there can only be one answer.” She slid “The Slave Book” in and it fit perfectly.

“Um, nothing happened,” Ryuji said.

“Maybe we need to put all of the books in” Ann said.

“Nice thinking,” Morgana said. The group moved on to the next shelf over.

“Hmmmm, let’s see here” Morgana said. “‘Kamoshida’s Values’, ‘The Kamoshida Way’, Kamoshida’s Greatest Hits’. These are all Kamoshida related.”

“That self-aggrandizing bastard!” Ann shouted quietly.

“He is the kind of guy that will cling to his pride to the bitter end” Ryuji said.

“Well, let’s make sure that doesn’t happen soon,” Ren said. “And given what Kamoshida was wearing, I can only assume one thing.” She slid “The King Book” in. “Two down, one to go.”

They turned to the last book shelf. They knew what went in it, but they decided to look at the books anyway. “Alright, let’s see,” Ryuji said. “Huh? These are all girls' names.”

“Huh?” Ann said. She looked at them. “‘Ann Takamaki: The All-American Beauty’. I’m only a quarter American though.”

“I’m not sure if that’s the point,” Ren said. She looked at another book. “Oh no.”

“What?” Ann asked.

Ren took a breath. “‘Shiho Suzui: The Timid Bunny’.”

Ann stood still for a second. “Well, we already knew that from the posters,” she said, “but it still pissed me off.”

“I don’t think this one’s any better,” Ryuji said. “‘Ren Amamiya: The Lovely Jailbird’. Tch. More like jailBAIT. Er, no offence.”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK, I know what you mean.” Ren slid “The Queen Book” in. There was a click, and the book shelf with “The King Book” moved to reveal a room. The thieves decided to investigate. Before Ren moved however, she noticed another book that puzzled her. “Sumire Yoshizawa: The Delusional Gymnast.” She looked further, but couldn’t find a book for Kasumi.

“Uh, Joker?” Ryuji said. “What’s the hold up?”

Ren looked at Ryuji. “Uh, sorry” Ren said.

“HALT!” said a shadow. “I heard the rumblings of the bookshelf and I know King Kamoshida is elsewhere! So I knew trouble had to be afoot.”

“Tch. We did all that and had to fight anyway” Ryuji said. “Bring it on!” The thieves fought the shadow and won. “Ugh, finally.” Ryuji said. “Let’s see what those shelves were hiding.”

They continued in to see a cross meant to strap someone in, along with pictures of Shiho. “I’m gonna be sick” Ann said. Ryuji groaned uncomfortably.

Morgana took a breath. “As horrific as this is, there has to be another reason this place was locked up.”

“True,” Ren said. “He’s not very subtle about what he thinks of the female students. Let’s look around.” They found a shelf with a medal. “Hey, you don’t think?”

Morgana nodded. “This does seem to look like it would fit in that door.”

Ryuji glanced over. “Huh? There’s something else.” He grabbed it. “No way!”

“What is it Skull?” Ann asked.

“It’s the other half of the map!” he exclaimed.

“Wait, seriously?!” Ann said.

“Nice find Skull!” Morgana said.

“Thanks,” Ryuji said.

Ren looked at the map. “Hmm, for the looks of things, we’re about halfway to the treasure.”

“Hmm” Ann said. “How’s everyone feeling?”

“A bit tired,” Ryuji said. “But I can press on.”

“Same” Morgana said.

“Yeah, same here” Ann said.

“Well, it seems we’re all in agreement” Ren said. “If we don’t get too tired, I think we can make it. Plus, we still have some of the medicine I bought.”

“Ready when you are Joker!” Morgana said. The group pressed on. They headed back to the door they were stuck at.. “Let’s put this thing in and see if it works.” Morgana stuck the medal in the indent. Ren pulled the lever. The door opened. “Success!”

“Let’s move out!” Ren said. They continued down the hall left open to them.

They came across a church setting with a statue of Kamoshida at the end. The world flashed around them to show the gymnasium. “What is this the gym?”

“He thinks of this gym as some kind of church and he’s God?!” Ann shrieked. “Tch. It’s so laughable it’s almost pathetic.”

“How dare you call Kamoshida pathetic!” said a voice. The thieves tensed up. Suddenly a powerful shadow came to them. “You do not know the true graciousness of Kamoshida!”

“Gracious my ass!!” Ryuji shouted. “That bastard’s nothing more than an abusive piece of shit!”

“Hm. Such foolish thieves” the power shadow said. “So foolish that you fell for my trap! I’ll punish you!” The thieves fought this powerful shadow, and although they won, they found themselves tired.

“God...damn…” Ryuji said, almost out of breath.

“I don’t think I can go on,” Ann said.

“Intruders!” said a shadow. The thieves were suddenly surrounded by shadows.

“Ah, crap! What do we do?!” Ryuji shouted.

Ren looked up. “Follow me!” she said. She threw her grappling hook at a latch and swung up. The rest of the thieves followed, making it up to the rafters.

“That was TOO close!” Morgana said.

“I’ll say,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, I’m thinking we should call it once we find a safe room” Ann suggested.

Morgana’s ears perked up. “Hold on, I’m getting something.”

“Please tell me it isn’t another shadow,” Ryuji said, disenchanted.

“Nope,” Morgana said. “Something better. Follow me!” Morgana ran off. The other thieves followed. They got off the rafters and to the upper hallways. Morgana guided them to a specific hall where they again needed their grappling hooks. On the other side was a strange door.

“Yo, what is this?” Ryuji said.

“Well, whatever it is, it seems valuable,” Ann said.

“If it is what I think it is, it most certainly is,” Morgana said.

Ren smiled. “Someone seems cheerful.”

“Let’s just open the door,” Morgana said. Ren nodded. She took out her knife and cut the vines surrounding the door. She pushed the door open.

They all walk in to see a plant opening up to a skull with red eyes. “Um, is anyone else freaked out?” Ryuji asked.

“What is that thing?” Ann asked.

“I knew it!” Morgana said. “This is a Will Seed.”

“Will Seed?” Ren asked.

Morgana nodded. “As you know, these palaces are formed from human desire. These are essentially the seeds that planted in the mind of the palace ruler that began the palace taking shape to what it is. From what I know, a palace usually has three.”

Ann thought of something. “Wait. Since this palace is being taken over, does that mean Shiho has will seeds too?”

Morgana shook his head. “It’s still Kamoshida creating this place. Only when a palace gets completely taken over will the person taking it over start growing Will Seeds.”

“I see…” Ann said.

“So, what happens when we steal this thing?” Ryuji said.

“Well, that, I don’t know…” Morgana said.

“And you call me dumb” RYuji said.

“BUT I know it’s probably not good for Kamoshida!” Morgana interjected.

“Plus, we’re thieves,” Ren said. “We take anything that’s not nailed down.”

“Exactly!” Morgana said.

“Well, if you say so,” Ryuji said.

Ren went to go pick up the Will Seed, but the thieves heard a set of voices. “And with that, Suguru Kamoshida just won the Gold for Japan!”

“He’s become the youngest volleyball player to win gold!”

“This is certainly a proud moment for all of Japan.”

“What is all of this?” Ann asked.

“It probably has something to do with Kamoshida,” Morgana said.

“Sounds like when he won his medal,” Ryuji said. “I mean, yeah, it’s a big deal, but that doesn’t excuse what he’s doing.”

“I couldn't agree more,” Ren said. She grabbed it. A wave of energy flowed over the thieves. “Huh?”

“I… I feel energized now” Ann said.

“Me too!” Ryuji said.

“Heh. It seems like that Will Seed gave us some energy” Morgana said. “I think we can continue onward.”

“I think so too,” Ren said. They left the Will Seed room and grappling hooked their way back to the hall. They made their way to the stairs and found an exit to the roof.

After some maneuvering and grappling hook use, they made their way to the outside of an extravagant tower. “I feel it. The treasure is in this building” Morgana said.

“Sweet,” Ryuji said. “Now just to get there.” They continued. Climbing the side of the tower. They eventually found a way in.

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “I feel another Will Seed. Through there!” He points out a vent. They crawl through it and make their way to the Will Seed room.

Ren goes to grab it again, but again hears voices. “Sorry. I’d love to catch up, but I’ve got to plan my wedding.”

“Sorry, but I’m expecting.”

“I’d really love to, but I have to go pick up my kids.”

“Wha?” Ryuji said.

“Those sounded like women’s voices” Ann remarked.

“Maybe voices of people Kamoshida knew?” Ren said.

“Hm. Well, whatever it is, they seem important to Kamoshida” Morgana surmised. Ren took the green Will Seed, and again energy flowed through them. “One more to go!” Morgana exclaimed.

The thieves continued onward. They found their way to an elevator and took it, going downward. They ended up in a hallway with another elevator around the corner and a picture of Kamoshida at the end. “OK. This is weird” Ryuji said.

“When has any of this been not weird?” Ann asked.

“You have a point,” Ryuji said. They investigated the elevator first. “It looks like it can go up, but not down.”

Morgana’s hair stood on end. “There HAS to be a down function though!” he said.

“Why’s that?” Ryuji asked.

“Because I feel the third Will Seed down there” Morgana exclaimed.

“Hmm” Ren pondered. “Well, let see if it’s around here.”

“What? How?” asked Ann. “All there is is that picture of Kamoshida.”

“Although, it is weird,” Ryuji said. “Maybe we should investigate it.” He walked towards it, with the rest of the thieves following behind. Ryuji put his hand on it. He then put his ear up to it to see if he could hear anything, only to fall to the other side as the picture spun.

“SKULL!” Ann shouted.

“I’m OK!” Ryuji said. “But you should come here!” The other thieves jumped through to find the main hall.

“We’re back where we started?” Ann said.

“I guess” Ryuji said. “I thought it was odd for those stairs to lead to just a portrait of him.”

Ren thought about something and remembered how Kamoshida came from a  room to the side when they first came in here. This way” Ren said. She guided the thieves to the room Kamoshida came from. They found a pair of levers. One labeled up, the other labeled down. The one labeled down was in the down position.

“You don’t think this has something to do with the elevator, do you?” Ann asked

“Couldn’t hurt,” Ren said. She flipped the lever up, and a noise went off. “Something happened.

“We should check it out,” Morgana said. They all slid back through the trick painting and to the other elevator. “Sure enough, it does down now.”

“Well then, let’s go,” Ren said. She pressed the button for down, and down they went.

They found a little grotto where a strong shadow was guarding the last Will Seed. “They really don’t want us taking these Will Seeds, huh?” Morgana said.

“Heh, all the more reason to take them” Ryuji said.

Ren giggled. “It looks like you’re getting into the thief thing too.”

“Well, when in Rome,” Ryuji said. Now let’s kick this thing's ass!” They fought the shadow, and won. They claimed their prize of room entry.

Just as Ren was grabbing the last Will Seed, the voices returned. “I’m expecting great things from you, Kamoshida.”

“With Kamoshida as the coach, we CAN’T lose!”

“All the other schools should just give up now.”

“Huh,” Ann said. “This sounds like it’s from around the time Kamoshida got hired.”

“The praise does seem a little much,” Ryuji said. “But I mean, the dude’s a medalist. What was he expecting?”

“Hmmm” Morgana wondered. “It’s true that Kamoshida is irredeemable, but it seems like he may have just snapped under pressure.”

“Sort of like Shiho” Ren said. “However, we’re going to stop Shiho from becoming the next Kamoshida. And this is our next step in doing so!” She grabbed it. The Will Seed fused together into a trinket of three skulls called The Crystal of Lust.

The Crystal of Lust then projected an image. Kamoshida is in his bedroom alone, surrounded by pictures and articles about himself. In his hand is a medal. “It’s because of you that everyone expects too much out of me. It’s because of you that everyone I knew abandoned me. I was so OBSESSED with winning you that I forgot to have a life! And now everyone wants me to make an army of mini Kamoshidas. Imagine that.”

Kamoshida put his head in his hands. When he took it out, he had a gruesome look on his face. “Fine! If they want Winner Kamoshida, then I just have to play to win. I have to be relentless. After all, you don’t get gold by backing down when things get hard. I’ll make this all worth it! After all,” he looks at his medal again, “I have power now. I’m not just some lame kid who was good at volleyball. I am Suguru GOD DAMN KAMOSHIDA! OLYMPIC MEDALIST! And if I see something that I want, I take it! Because I’m a winner!” He laughs maniacally, and the image ends.

A wave of energy flows through the thieves, but they are more concerned with what they just witnessed. “Woah!” Ryuji said.

“So that was the moment he snapped” Ann said.

“It seems like it,” Morgana said. “I almost feel sorry for him. Key word: ‘almost’.”

“Right,” Ren said. “It doesn’t make anything he’s done better.”

“Right. In the end, he's just a rotten adult who’s abusing the power he has” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “There are plenty of ways to vent this stuff without abusing the kids you're supposed to be teaching!”

“Well said everyone” Morgana said. “Now, let’s continue. Next: The treasure!” They took the elevator up to a high point in the tower. They continued on until they got to a hall that was blocked. The only other path around was through a walkway, but the minute Ren took a step on it, some pendulums came swinging. Luckily she backed off.

“Pendulums?” Ryuji said. “This place has everything.”

“Grrrr. We’re SO close to the treasure too” Morgana hissed.

“Well, there has to be a way around it,” Ann said. “It IS the only way through.”

Ren saw a nearby statue of Kamoshida. She decided to pull the mouth down, but nothing happened. “I thought this would be it for sure.”

“Maybe it is and we’re just missing something,” Ryuji said.

“Like what?” Morgana said.

“I dunno. But something” Ryuji said. Morgana was not amused.

“Maybe one of the guards has like a key or something,” Ann said.

“That makes sense,” Ren said. “There’s not really much else around here.”

Ann nodded. “Although, I have to imagine that the guards who have the key are pretty high ranking.”

“Well then, let’s go shake down some high ranking guards!” Morgana said. They traveled back downstairs. Upon doing so, they found a high ranking guard. After a fight, they retrieved a jewel that looked like an eye.

“An eye?” Ann said.

“Oh yeah” Ryuji said. “That statue looked like it was missing its eyes.”

“Great, so we need to get another one?” Morgana asked.

“Don’t worry,” Ren said. “I’m sure this will be the last big challenge before the treasure.”

Morgana smiled. “You’re right. Let’s get that other eye!”

They continued on to find the other guard they needed to take on. After a raucous battle, the eye was theirs. They returned to the statue, put in the eyes, and pulled the mouth down.

Ren began crossing it, and the pendulums were locked in place. “Success!” she said. From there, it was a hop, skip, and a jump to the throne room. However, the room itself was locked.

“The treasure is beyond this door,”Morgana said.

“Well, we’ll have to find another way around,” Ren said.

“That’s fine,” Ann said. “After all, what kind of thief takes the front door?”

Ren smiled. “Looks like we’re all getting into it.

“Well, as harrowing as all of this is, we gotta keep our spirits up. Otherwise we’ll lose for sure.” Ren nodded. They climbed some nearby structures to enter through a window. Looking down, they saw Kamoshida, along with an army of shadows.

“Alright! We have to make sure that no one enters through that door!” Kamoshida said. “No thieves! No revolutionaries!”

“Yes sir!”

“He doesn't seem to notice us,” Ryuji said.

“Let’s keep it that way,” Morgana said. The rest of the thieves nodded. They made their way through to the chamber behind the throne, and went inside.

Inside was a pile of gold that would put a Bond villain to shame. “Woah! This is HUGE!” Ryuji said.

“I’ll say,” Ann said. “It’ll be hard to tell which one of these is the treasure.”

Morgana shook his head. “It’s that thing there.” He pointed to a floating blob-like structure.

“That’s it?” Ryuji said.

“Well, that’s it for right now” Morgana said. “We have to make it appear.”

“Uh, how so?” Ann asked.

“Simple. We do as thieves do, and send a calling card” Morgana explained.

“Uh, I’m not following,” Ryuji said.

Morgana sighed. “It’s like this: Once a palace ruler becomes aware that their desires are going to be stolen, those desires will manifest into the treasure. It is the, and only then we can steal it.”

“So, we have to make the target aware of the attempt” Ann said. “Sounds risky.”

“Well, we don’t have much of a choice,” Ren said. “Unless we’re all OK with Kamoshida dying.”

Ann took a breath. “As much as I loathe Kamoshida, especially after going through this nightmare, I would rather not stoop to his level and just give in to my worst instincts.”

“Besides, we’ve come this far,” Ryuji said. “What’s the point in not following through?”

Ren smiled. “Alright. It’s settled. Shall we head back?” The thieves snuck their way back though the castle, into the village, and back into the real world.

Notes:

I decided to leave the chapter to just the palace and not what happens afterward. There's a lot going into that as well, and I'd rather not make my chapters too long. (Yes, I see the irony in that).

Also, the thing with the Will Seeds, I noticed that there is an ominous chanting whenever you're in a Will Seed room, but I can never tell what it's actually saying. So I decided to make it up. Just a nice little writing exercise there.

Chapter 11: Dreams and Nightmares

Notes:

This chapter gets a little hard to read after a certain point. I’m not sure if it’s too bad. Please tell me if I need to add a note to skip a specific section if it is.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren walks back into Leblanc after going through Kamoshida’s palace. “You’re back kind of late,” Sojiro said.

“Sorry,” Ren said. “A lot happened today.”

Sojiro looks her over. “I can tell. Well, I guess if you’re not getting in trouble, it’s alright. Although, maybe I should invest in that spare key.”

“That'd be nice,” Ren said, kind of out of it.

Sojiro looked concerned. “Man, whatever happened must have really taken it out of you. Are you going to be OK?”

“I should be fine after a good night’s rest” Ren said in a more cheery tone.

“Well good,” Sojiro said. “I don’t want you to be so exhausted you can’t make it to class.”

“I don’t want that either” Ren said.

“Hm. Smooth” Sojiro said. “Well, I need to head out. Good night.”

“Good night,” Ren said. Sojiro left the store.

Ren walked up the stairs up to her room, changed into her pajamas, and sat on her bed. Morgana popped back down from the windowsill, as he usually stares out the window when Ren is changing. “So, you feeling OK after your first palace foray?”

“I think so,” Ren said.

“Well that’s good. I’m sure you’ll get used to it the more you do it” Morgana said. Ren stayed quiet. “Are you still worried about Kasumi?” Ren nodded. “Yeah, I hear ya. Her passing out like that was shocking.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “But there’s something else that’s bugging me.”

“Huh? What’s that?” Morgana asked.

Ren got a puzzled look on her face. “When we were in Kamoshida’s palace, and we were looking through the book shelves, I saw something that confused me”

Morgana replied “How? You said it yourself, he isn’t exactly subtle about how he thinks of girls.”

Ren grew more confused. “I saw a book for a Yoshizawa… but it wasn’t Kasumi…”

“What?!” Morgana said “But you told me he made a pass Kasumi!”

“I know,” Ren said. “That’s what’s confusing me. Furthermore, I didn’t see a book for Kasumi at all. Granted, we didn’t spend a LOT of time there, but still…”

“That IS weird,” Morgana said. 

“And it’s not like I can ask her about it,” Ren said. “‘Hey, I was exploring Kamoshida’s mind palace in an effort to save his life, but also make him pay, and in it, there was a bookshelf for female students, and I noticed you we’re on there, but another Yoshizawa was. What’s the deal with that?’”

“Yeah…” Morgana said. “Well, maybe don’t put it like that, but I’m sure you can think of some way getting that answer when you see her tomorrow.”

Ren smiled. “You’re right. My mind might just be clouded from the exhaustion for exploring the palace. I should get some sleep. Good night Morgana.” She got under the covers.

“Good night,” Morgana said. He curled up and fell asleep. Ren nodded off soon afterwards.

Ren found herself in a strange dream. It felt only sort of real. Not like being in the Velvet Room, but also not like being in an actual dream either. She saw that she was in a castle of sorts. A butler came up to her. He looked like a handsome young man in a suit. Something about him felt familiar. “Your highness,” he said, “the guests have arrived. The ball cannot start without you.”

Ball? Ren thought. What ball?

“Now, I’ve seen a lot of the guests, and I think they all look rather lovely,” the butler said. “Really, I think anyone you pick will make a lovely queen.”

Queen? I guess this is a ball to find me a bride, I guess. This feels weird. “Pardon me, but can I see a mirror?” Ren asked.

“Certainly” the butler responded. “You want to look your best for tonight after all.” The butler gets Ren a mirror and shows it to her. Ren sees that she is dressed like Joker, save for the mask. “I must say, you look ravishing tonight.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you. I am ready now.”

“Of course, your majesty,” the butler said. He takes the mirror away and Ren gets up. She walks with the butler to the ballroom to see a cascade of guests. “Told you the guests were lovely.”

“We shall see” Ren said.

“Ah, stubborn as always,” the butler said. “But I believe by the end of tonight, someone will have captured your heart.” The butler  clears his throat and addresses the crowd. “Attention! The ball for the prince to select a potential bride shall begin now!”

The crowd cheered. Ren was surprised. Prince? I suppose there are worse titles. She sighed and descended the stairs. She mingled with the guests at the party. Although many of the women seemed to be enjoying her company, Ren was less than enthusiastic throughout the night.

The butler came up to her. “So, did you find anyone to your liking?”

“Not yet,” Ren said.

“Ah, too bad,” the butler said. “But, the night is young. There are still plenty of girls you haven’t talked to.”

“Maybe” Ren said. She glanced up. Her eyes widened For she saw the most beautiful girl she had ever seen. She was wearing a pink dress and had long red hair kept in a ponytail. Ren’s face turned red.

The butler smiled. “Ah, someone has captured your fancy,” he said.

Ren smirked. “I suppose you were right after all Morgana.” She walked up this girl. “Excuse me?” The girl turned to meet her. “May I have this dance?”

The girl was surprised. Still, she giggled slightly and said “Of course.” She grabbed Ren’s hand.

Ren pulled her in closer. “Tell me. What is your name?”

The girl smiled. “Kasumi.”

“I see,” Ren said. The two of them danced elegantly throughout the night. When taking breaks, they would talk about all sorts of little things. They stared into each other’s eyes. It was as if time itself froze.

However, time does not freeze. And as the clock struck midnight, something happened to Kasumi. Her ponytail disappeared, letting her hair go all the way down, and a pair of glasses appeared on her face. Ren looked confused. “Kasumi?”

“Hm?” she said. Kasumi seemed to realize the changes. She started to panic. “No no no no no! Why now?!”

“Are you alright?” Ren asked.

“GET AWAY!” Kasumi shouted. “I can’t…” Ren seemed confused. She started to run away.

Ren chased after her. “WAIT!” However, Kasumi had left the castle. Ren stopped in resignation. She looked down and saw a shoe. She picked it up. “I will find you,” she said. “You’re the one I want to be with. Forever and ever.”

Kasumi woke up sweating. “What...What was the dream?” she asked. “Do...do I have feelings for Ren-senpai? But then that would mean…” She breathed heavily.

She got up and got ready for school. She was still a little out of it from her sudden collapse yesterday, but she felt fine enough. She got downstairs and sat at the table. “Morning” she said to her parents.

Akane smiled. “Goodness me! I’m surprised you’re up at all.”

“Sorry,” Kasumi said. Wait, why did I say that? She felt a slight pain

Akane chuckled. “Don’t worry, it’s the good kind of surprise.”

“You did collapse quite suddenly” Shinichi. “But I suppose it’s a sign of how strong you are that you made it down here.”

“Yeah,” Kasumi said. Her parents were still making breakfast. Kasumi sat nervously. She thought about that dream she had, and about Ren in general. Sure, Ren was kind, and understanding, and she saved her from Kamoshida. But did that mean she liked her? And if so, did that mean she liked girls in general?

Still, she knew that not saying a thing wouldn’t do her any good. I mean, it was OK when she told them it should be fine now. “Hey mom. Dad” they turned their attention to their daughter. “Um,I’ve been having these weird thoughts lately. Well, not weird, but… well…”

“It’s OK, you can tell us,” Akane said.

Kasumi smiled, knowing that they would understand. “Um, I’m starting to think that maybe...I like girls…”

Shinich grinned. “We know,” he said.

“Huh?” said Kasumi.

“You’ve told us this before,” Akane said.

“Before…” Kasumi said. She tried to remember when she would have told them. Then a thought she crossed her mind. “Oh. Oh no. Sumire told you she liked girls before” she said. Her parents exchanged a confused look. “But now she…”

“Sweetie, are you OK?” Akane asked.

“Huh? What do you mean?” Kasumi asked.

“It’s just, ever since the incident, you’ve seemed a bit off” Shinichi said.

Kasumi felt shaken. “My sister died. Right in front of my eyes. How am I supposed to act?”

Her parents frowned. “Look, we miss her too,” Akane said. “But it feels like you’ve grown distant.”

“Distant?” Kasumi asked.

“Look,” Shinichi said, “however you want to cope in public, that’s up to you, but please. When it’s just the three of us, I want you to be yourself.”

“Myself? I don’t understand” Kasumi said.

“Sumire,” Shinichi said. “Please.”

“Su...mire…” Kasumi said. She got defensive. “Why are you calling me that? I’m Kasumi!” Her parents were shocked. “I am and forever will be Kasumi!”

“Sumire,” Akane said.

“Please stop!” Kasumi yelled. “Sumire is dead! I didn’t do enough! I didn’t save her!” A thought crossed Kasumi’s mind. If I’m Kasumi, and Kasumi always succeeds at everything, then why didn’t I succeed at saving Sumire? She started grabbing her head. “Ugh!”

“Are you alright?” Akane asked.

“Alright?” Kasumi said through the pain. “I’m better than that! Because I’m Kasumi Yoshizawa! Nothing bad ever happens to me! I succeed in everything I do! People love me!”

“I’m calling the doctor,” Shinichi said.

Akane nodded. Shinichi got out his phone and made the call. “Sweetie, I think it would be best if you would sit down and wait for the doctor.”

“Why?!” Kasumi asked. “I’ve never been sick a day in my life!” Her face was red with fever.

“Sumire…” Akane said.

Kasumi ran away up to her room. “Why?” she asked. “Why do I feel terrible right now?” A series of thoughts crossed her mind, only serving to make her fever go up.

I’m fighting to make our dream come true! But Sumire didn’t seem all too invested in the dream. Why am I fighting harder than ever to achieve it, if Sumire didn’t want it?

Everyone loves Kasumi. People should be more like Kasumi. She’s so joyous and upbeat. Kasumi is the one everyone wants. Sumire would always just tag along. Even at birth, Sumire was always the follower!

Sumire had to have known this. She must have! Otherwise, why would she do that? And why would Kasumi try and save her? That’s right, because Kasumi is perfect. She would save a fly. But if she’s so perfect, why didn’t she succeed?

“Stop,” Kasumi said. “Why won’t this pain stop?! I shouldn’t be feeling this!” Suddenly, an apple appeared in front of her. She wasn’t sure why. It felt like a dream, but she was being called by the apple. She approached it slowly, as the pain she felt limited her movement. Nevertheless, she felt determined to reach the apple.

Once she got there, she reached out and grabbed it. She didn’t know how, but she knew this apple would help her with this pain she was feeling. She bit into the apple vigorously. She felt a strange sensation. It felt like all of her confusion was being removed from her. As if she was being split.

The strangeness continued, as when she breathed out, a mysterious gas came out of her mouth. Slowly, it started to take shape. Soon enough, standing before her was a girl who looked exactly like her. Except her hair was brown, and she had a beauty mark under one of her eyes. She looked at this person. “Kasumi…” she said. She passed out.

Akane came running into her room. “Sumire!” Akane found her passed out on the floor. She was shaken. Still, she mustered up the strength she had to lift her daughter up and carry her to her bed.

The doctor Shinichi called stopped over. She noted that Sumire’s condition seemed to be subsiding if it was as extreme as her parents had said it was earlier, but she also noted that maybe she should stay home from school for a little bit.

Sumire woke up. “Sumire,” Akane said.

“Sorry mom,” Sumire said. “For everything…”

Akane started to cry. She hugged her. “I’m just glad you’re OK.”

“Yeah…” Sumire said. Shortly after, she fell back asleep.

Notes:

So, this is the thought experiment that basically kickstarted this fic. Basically, the idea was "What if Sumire felt conflicted within her heart while she was being Kasumi and it was fighting with its true self?" I first thought to make Kasumi the one interested in girls and Sumire shaken by Ren, but it didn't feel right to make a dead character gay for no other reason that to push a living straight character forward. Especially since I started this fic in Pride Month. So I inverted it, and made Ren a girl, and she and Sumire both like girls. And from there, I basically answered my own question, and here we are.

BTW, I know Sumire's dad appears in the game, but I can't quite remember if her mom is ever given a name, so I took it from a different fanfic. "Royal Rivals: The Quartet" by ShrugFace, Link here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24695260/chapters/59683288
It's another fic that changes things up. Though different than how I'm going about it. Still, it's a good read, and I would recommend it.

Chapter 12: Hungry for Answers

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The door flung open at the office of Doctor Takuto Maruki. The doctor was surprised. “Um, sorry sir, but I can’t allow anyone in here without an appointment.”

Shinichi grabbed him by the lapels. “What did you do to my daughter?!”

“P-pardon?” said Maruki.

“ANSWER ME!” Shinichi demanded.

“Um, you’re going to have to be more specific,” Maruki said. “I’ve seen a number of patients, and generally speaking about half of them are female.”

Shinichi flared his nostrils. “Sumire Yoshizawa. What did you do to Sumire Yoshizawa?”

“Oh, you’re Yoshizawa’s…” Maruki said. “First off, I’d like to offer my condolences about what happened to her sister.”

“If you thought that you wouldn’t have done what you did” Shinichi said.

Maruki remained calm. “I know it might seem hard for you to understand, but try thinking about it from her perspective. Her sister is gone, and she blames herself. She felt like if she could be Kasumi she’d feel better. So I allowed her to do just that.”

This did not calm down Shinichi. “THINK ABOUT HOW I FEEL?!” he yelled. He began to cry. “I’ve already lost one daughter. I don’t need to lose another.”

Maruki realized what he was saying. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I guess there’s still more I need to learn.”

Shinichi saw Maruki humble himself. He looked him over and saw that he was genuinely disappointed. He let go of Maruki. “You’re lucky she seems to be back to her old self.” He left.

Maruki pondered what had just happened. “I guess something must have snapped her out of it. I wonder what that could be. Still, he does have a point. If I want to create a world that eliminates suffering, I need to be able to understand the broader picture. A grief-stricken father like that doesn’t deserve to feel like he’s lost more. I should write this down.”

“Don’t bother” said a voice.  Maruki turned and saw a cloaked figure. “Your world will not exist anyway.”

Maruki just smiled. “Man, what is it with people barging into my office today? I’m sorry, but I’m not going to stop my work just because you told me so.”

“Very well,” said the cloaked figure. They drew their rapier and vanished. During their absence, the figure went over to the stadium, slipped into the Metaverse, and sliced the lab in two, causing it to crumble. They reappeared in front of Maruki.

Maruki looked hurt. “What did you do?”

The figure smirked. “I just chopped down your desires is all.” The figure walked out of the office.

Maruki collected himself after they left. He seemed to be struggling at first, but managed to get his strength back. “Whew. That was unusual. Hmmm. I wonder if I could ask her about that. Maybe when the time is right.”

Meanwhile, Ren was standing in front of the school gate. Morgana got a little restless. “Man, you’re dedicated,” he said. “You got here before anyone else.”

Ren smiled. “Well I just wanted to make sure Kasumi was OK,” she said. That, and that dream I had last night is still in my mind. It felt weird. She looked back at Morgana. “Hey Morgana, what do you think you’d look like as a human?”

Morgana was surprised. “Well… I’m not sure exactly. But I know I would be dashing, but not too dashing that I wouldn’t be approachable.”

“I see,” Ren said. She thought about how Morgana appeared in her dream. It sounded accurate to his description. She smirked.

Suddenly, someone hit Ren. She was confused. “Ah, I’m sorry,” said the man. Ren looked up and saw Shinichi. 

“It’s fine,” Ren said.

“The bump aside, what are you doing here?” Shinichi asked. “Waiting for a friend?”

Ren got a little nervous. “Um, yeah. Her name is Yoshizawa. She collapsed yesterday. I just wanted to make sure she was alright.”

Shinichi’s eyes widened. “Oh… I’m her father actually.” Ren was taken aback. “You must you Amamiya. The nurse told me about you. Thank you for helping my daughter. ...Unfortunately, her situation got worse this morning.” Ren was worried. Shinichi smiled. “She’ll be fine. However, she will have to stay home for a few days. I’m here to inform the school, among other things.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Shinichi placed his hands on her shoulders. Ren looked up. “She’ll be delighted to know that you’re concerned about her. I’m sure that information will help her get better faster.” He let go.

Ren smiled, bowed, and said “Thank you sir. I hope Kasumi gets better soon.”

Shinichi stood there for a few moments. “Thank you,” he said.

“Well, I guess I should get to class,” Ren said. “I guess I’ll see you around.”

“Seeya,” Shinichi said. Ren headed into the building. “I should let her tell her herself.” Shinichi made his way into the school.

Throughout the day, Ren’s mind occasionally wandered to thoughts of Kasumi. Sure, her dad said she would get better, but she couldn’t help but worry. She took a breath and tried to relax. During break, she was wandering the halls and heard some truly nasty things.

“Hey, that honor student’s missing classes again today huh.”

“Man, she’s so lucky.”

“Totally. I wish I could skip school without anything bad happening.”

“I know right? Talk about special treatment.”

“How awful!” Morgana said. “Don’t they know she’s sick? It makes me so mad, right Ren?” No answer. “...Ren?”

“Stop,” Ren said.

“Huh?” Morgana replied.

“Just stop” Ren repeated.

“Hey are you listening to me?” Morgana said.

“Stop talking about her like that!” Ren quietly screamed. It appeared that someone was listening, as the world around her stopped. Ren looked around, panicking.

“Well well” said the cloaked figure “How serendipitous.”

Ren immediately went on the defensive. “What do you want?” she asked.

The figure giggled. “The same as you. I want to protect her from all of this. So here.” She offered an apple to Ren. “Take it.”

“Thanks, but you know where I stand,” Ren said.

“Oh right” the figure said. “I guess that was before for you. Meanwhile, I was just born today. Ahahahahahaha!”

Ren was confused. He regained her composure. “Why are you doing this? Why are you so interested in me?”

The figure stopped laughing. They approached Ren. “I’m doing this to stand up to those in power. To show that they can’t control us and do whatever they want.”

Ren was shaken. “Well, I agree with that sentiment, murder and destruction is the wrong way to go about it.”

“And being calm and rational will get you somewhere?” the figure asked. “Please, the only way any of you would fight back without violence is by using the metaverse.”

Ren remained steadfast. “While we have been using it to punish Kamoshida and save Shiho, I believe that we are offering a beacon of hope to those who wouldn’t be able to stand up to anyone else otherwise!”

“That’s cute. But sooner or later, order returns to those in power” the figure said. “The only way for meaningful change to occur is with pure chaos.”

“I disagree,” Ren said. “While some chaos is necessary, what you’re advocating for is similar to what we have. It’s just another system where the powerful abuse the weak. What you’re doing is changing who’s in power.”

The figure giggled. “I can see what she likes about you. And to be honest, I think I’m starting to like you too.”

Ren was confused. “Who is this ‘she’ you keep mentioning?”

“Don’t worry about that for now,” the figure said. “For now, I want to make a deal.”

“We already have a deal,” Ren said.

“I know, but another deal” the figure responded. “I love seeing you stick to your convictions. So, if you manage to hold true to them by the time we reach our dual, I will surrender fully.” Ren was shocked. “However, if there’s even a one percent chance that throughout these trials I can convince you that I may be right in some way and I defeat you in battle, you will become a servant of chaos and work with me.”

Ren. wasn’t sure what this person was doing, but Ren wasn’t one to give up on her convictions. “Deal” she said.

“Ah! Excellent!” the figure said. “I’m going to enjoy breaking you.”

“I’d like to see you try,” Ren said.

“Oooooooo. Someone’s confident” the figure said. “But I like that about you.”

Just as they were about to leave, Ren called out “Wait! Who ARE you exactly?”

“Ah, yes,” the figure said. “We did strike a deal. I guess I owe you that much. Hm. My name is Eris. Goddess of discord and disharmony. One day, I hope to turn you into a soldier of chaos.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Hunger Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Hunger-Eris: Rank 1

“Well, seeya” Eris said, vanishing.

The world started to move again. Ren looked around, wondering what just happened. “Ren?” Morgana asked. “Are you OK?”

“Did you see that?” Ren said.

“See what?” Morgana replied.

Ren was shocked. “Don’t tell me you stopped with the rest of the world.”

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Morgana wondered.

Ren noticed she was getting some looks. “Sorry” she said. She rushed to someplace private. She explained what happened with Eris.

“Huh. That IS interesting”Morgana said. “So we have a name, and an upgraded deal.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“We need to tell the others about this,” Morgana said.

After school, they met up on the rooftop with Ann and Ryuji. “WHAT?!” Ryuji yelled.

“Calm down Ryuji!” Ann said.

“But didn’t you hear that?” Ryuji said.

“I did. And it’ll be the last thing I hear if you continue to be loud” Ann stated.

“S-sorry” Ryuji said. “It’s just… I don’t want Ren to submit to this fiend.”

“What do you take me for?” Ren said. “I have no intention of wavering on my convictions.”

“Well, yeah, but…” Ryuji said. “Ugh, sorry. You’re right.”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK. I get it.”

“Still, if she’s confident that you would, I’d be careful” Ann said.

“Lady Ann’s right!” Morgana said. “We can’t take this lying down. We have to prove ourselves now more than ever!”

Ann giggled. “You got it Lord Morgana!”

“L-Lord Morgana? Morgana said, shocked.

“Isn’t he right, Lord Ryuji? Lady Ren?” Ann asked

“Oh” Morgana said, disappointed.

“Uhh, I don’t get all of this Lord and Lady talk,” Ryuji said, “but I’m all for proving our convictions. So let’s send that calling card!”

“Actually,” Ren said. Everyone turned to her. “I kind of want to wait a bit.”

“Huh” Ryuji said. “Well it's your call. Just know we have a time limit to uphold.”

Ren nodded. “You’re right. I'll make sure we do it before then.”

“Well, I don’t blame you” Ann said.”After what happened, I don’t know if I would have had the strength to do something like that either. Let’s go get something to eat.”

“Well, actually…” Ryuji said. “I have to run errands for my mom today. So I guess not sending the calling card worked out. You two go on ahead.”

Ann smiled. “Thanks Ryuji.”

“No problem” Ryuji replied. The four thieves left the rooftop and headed out of school.

Notes:

I wonder who knew that the figure would be Eris. I mean, when you think of chaos and apples, that's about the only choice you have, right? Or were people not thinking about which mythological/legendary figure could be? I like getting speculative comments for reasons like this. Just seeing what people think is going to happen is interesting to me.

Anyway, I probably should have added the Confidant earlier, but I didn't think to until I was a bit too deep into the story, and then I thought of doing it here because that's where it makes the most sense. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 13: Friends Helping Friends

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Alright, here we are,” said Ann. She and Ren had arrived at a diner. “This place is great.”

Ren smiled. “I can’t wait.”

“Let’s go!” Ann said.

“Well, it’s another restaurant,” Morgana said.

“Ah, don’t worry. This place is pet friendly” Ann said.

“‘Pet’...” Morgana lamented.

“Well then, I see no reason to delay further,” Ren said. The two of them walked in with Morgana in tow.

After getting food, Ann thanked the waitress and then told Ren “You know, this is actually a pretty good place to study.”

“Really?” Ren asked.

“Totally!” Ann responded.

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Ren said. She started sipping her drink.

Ann observed. “You’re not your usual self today.”

Ren was taken aback. “What makes you say that?” she asked.

“You just seem off,” Ann said. “You usually seem a little more energetic. Like, even after Kamoshida tried to have his way with you, you were the one who ended up comforting me. Plus, when we first went to that other world, you remained more calm and steady than I did. So, what’s up?”

Ren couldn’t deny anything Ann had said. She sighed. “I’m just worried about Yoshizawa is all.”  Ann looked interested. “She didn’t come to school today. I’m just worried that I didn’t do enough for her. Like I should have done more.”

Ann saw the desperation in Ren’s eyes. Ann took her hand and said ”Ren, listen to me. You did everything you could. You helped her right away when you saw she was in trouble. Unlike me…”

Ren was now concerned with Ann. “What do you mean?”

Ann let go of Ren. “Well… I know Shiho was struggling with Kamoshida for a while. But I felt like I couldn’t do a whole lot. I tried being nice with Kamoshida in order to get him to lay off, but it didn’t seem to work as well as I thought. Not only was Shiho still being targeted, you were targeted as well.”

She slammed her fists on the table. “I feel like such an idiot! I was playing right into his hands. I thought I was doing something good, but instead I think I made things worse. And Shiho, my best friend, is now being manipulated into becoming a murderer.”

Ren looked on. “Ann…”

Ann got up. “But no more! I’m through with playing nice and hoping to get what I want! I need to learn how to fight for it.” She looked at Ren. “And you’ve been teaching me.”

Ren was shocked. “Me?”

Ann nodded. “You’re the type of person who fights for what’s right no matter what! I want to be more like you!”

“Hold on a sec…” Ren said nervously. Ann stopped. “While I appreciate your attitude, maybe just relax a little bit.”

Ann did. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Ann smiled. “But you also need to stop being so hard on yourself. I know you’re worried about Yoshizawa, but you can’t blame it all on yourself. You’ve been doing everything right.” Ann got slightly depressed again.

Ren took Ann’s hand this time. “You shouldn’t beat yourself up either.” Ann looked at her. “The fact that you were trying is a good indication of how much you care.”

Ann smiled. “Why can’t you be this nice to yourself?” The two girls laughed. Ann looked off meaningfully. “Personas are the strength of heart, right?” Ren nodded. “So, if we can strengthen our hearts, our Personas will get stronger, right?”

Ren was puzzled. “I hadn’t thought of it like that. Maybe…”

Ann grinned. “I feel stronger after talking with you about all of this, that’s for sure.”

Ren smiled back. “Likewise.”

“I feel like if we work together, we’ll figure this out for sure” Ann said.

“You may be right,” Ren said.

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 2.

They finished eating and headed home for the day.

In her pajamas, Ren was lying down on top of the covers sighing. Morgana saw this and said “Lady Ann’s right. You can’t keep beating yourself up for what happened to Kasumi.”

“I know,” Ren said. “I’m just thinking. We have to send a calling card, right?”

Morgana was confused. “Where are you going with this?”

“Well, once we do, we’ll be known,” Ren said.

“We won’t be if you don’t let Ryuji send it” Morgana said sarcastically.

Ren chuckled. “I mean the existence of the Phantom Thieves will be known. When people say ‘The Phantom Thieves’, they’ll at least have a vague idea of what that means, right?”

“Well, that’s the idea…” Morgana said.

Ren went back to staring at the ceiling. “I’m just worried. If I’m struggling with what happened with Yoshizawa, what happens if we fail as the Phantom Thieves? Or if people think we fail? Will I be alright? Will all of you?”

“I see,” Morgana said. “I understand your concern. But you shouldn’t worry about that too much.”

Ren got up. “How come?” she asked.

“Because  ‘failure’ in what we do would result in the death of someone” Morgana said sternly.”If we succeed, things will get better, and if we fail, we know we deserve it. It’s high risk, high reward. However, I’ve witnessed the strength of all of your hearts, and I know you can do this.”

Ren smiled. She picked up Morgana and cuddled him. “Thanks Morgana. You always know just what to say.

“Ack! Put me down!” Morgana said.

Ren let go. “Oh sorry. Do you not like cuddles?”

Morgana was silent for a few moments. “...Just warn me next time.”

“Will do,” Ren said. “Well, good night.”

“Good night,” Morgana said. The two fell asleep.

The next day at school, there was some messaging in the group chat.

Ann: Today’s not good.

Ann: The company I work for just messaged me about a sudden opening.

Ryuji: Really?

Ryuji: Well that stinks.

Ryuji: Still, I think this is a good opportunity.

Ren: ??

Ren: How come?

Ryuji: Well, I was thinking,

Ryuji: When we were in the Meta-thingy, we had to do all sorts of athletic stunts.

Ann: You especially.

Ann: Thanks for walking that tightrope.

Ryuji: Oh. Right.

Ryuji: You’re welcome.

Ryuji: Anyway, as I was saying, being in that other world made me think

Ryuji: I haven’t been keeping up with my workouts since the incident with the track team.

Ryuji: I feel like training a little.

Ryuji: Plus, I think it’ll make me do better over there.

Ann: Huh. I hadn’t thought of that.

Ren: It’s worth a try.

Ren: I might join you.

Ryuji: Uh, OK.

Ryuji: After school? I know a good place.

Ren: Sure.

Ryuji: Sounds great. See ya then.

After school, Ren got changed into her gym clothes and met up with Ruji. “Good, you’re here. Follow me.” Ren followed Ryuji. On their way, Ren got a message from Ann.

Ann: JSYK, I didn’t really have a shoot today.

Ann: I just wasn’t sure if you were ready after everything we talked about yesterday.

Ren: I’m sure Ryuji would understand.

Ann: I dunno…

Ann: He has a tendency to get really into things.

Ren: I can ask him now.

Ren: Hold on.

She looked up. “Hey Ryuji, what would you do if, hypothetically speaking, we were all available to do Phantom Thieves stuff, but we didn’t want to?”

“Huh?” Ryuji answered. “I don’t care. You’re in charge. You call the shots.” 

“I see…” Ren said. She looked down at her phone to see some messages from Ann

Ann: Huh?

Ann: Wait…

Ren giggled.

Ren: Ryuji said it would have been fine.

Ann: Oh. Good.

“Is that Ann?” Ryuji asked. “Was she not up for it? Don’t tell me. Is it her time of the month?” Ren glared.

Ren: He just asked me if it was your time of the month.

Ren: What should I do?

Ann: …

Ann: Smack him with your bag.

Ren: On it.

Ren held her bag with both of her hands. “Morgana, get out.”

“You don’t have to tell me twice,” Morgana said, jumping out.

“Huh? What’s going on?” Ryuji asked. He turned around to see Ren’s bag being smashed in his face, causing him to fall to the ground.

Ren readjusted her bag as Morgana gracefully jumped back in. As Ryuji sat up, Ren took a picture. “That was from Ann.” She sent Ann the picture.

Ann: LOL

Ryuji, still a bit dazed, said “You know what? Fair.”

“Ryuji, you lack tact” Morgana said.

“Shut up you stupid cat” Ryuji said.

“Grrrrr” Morgana hised.

“If you boys are done hurling insults, I would very much like to train” Ren said.

“Huh, oh yeah” Ryuji said. He started to get up. Ren helped him up. “Thanks. Anyways, we’re almost there.”

“Man, he just has a lot of energy,” Morgana said.

“I like that about him,” Ren said. “He comes on a bit strong, but his cheer is infectious. He’s the kind of person who isn’t afraid to be who he wants to be.”

“Hm” Morgana replied. “You know what? You’re right. He’s not bad.”

They reached a spot and Ryuji stopped. “Well, here we are. My secret training spot.” He turned to face Ren. “What do you think?” Ren was shocked. “I know it might not seem like much, but it’s a big area that not a lot of people visit at this time. Perfect for letting loose, ya know?”

“I guess” Ren said.

“OK, so, since this is your first time training, I’ll just give you a few basic exercises and see how you do, OK?” Ryuji said.

“Um, sure,” Ren said.

“OK. Here goes” Ryuji said. He gave off a list of different exercises and Ren did them all with vigor. Once Ren finished, Ryuji said “Hey! Not bad!”

“Thanks,” Ren said, catching her breath.

“Alright, now spot me!” Ryuji said. “You ready?”

“Hang on,” Ren said. She chucked a bottle of water. “Alright, I’m good.”

“Woah” Ryuji said.

“Hm?” Ren asked.

“Ah, nothing,” Ryuji said, blushing. He sighed. “OK, let’s do this!” He did his exercises as well. Once he finished, he ran up to Ren and said “Woo! That felt good. How’d I do?”

Ren was surprised. “You did pretty well,” she said.

“Sweet! How many of each?” Ryuji asked.

“How...many?” Ren asked.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “Like, you did 5 laps around here in 3 minutes 23 seconds, you did 50 jumping jacks in 55 seconds, you did 40 crunches in one minute 14 seconds…”

“Wait, you’re that good at math?” Ren asked, surprised.

“That’s math?!” Ryuji said, equally surprised. “I thought that was just stat tracking. Like in a video game. How an attack does like 150 damage to this enemy, but to this other enemy it’s only 75.”

Ren was still shocked. “Ryuji, are you sure you’re not good at math?”

“Well, I’m not doing well in it,” Ryuji said.

“I wonder why?” Morgana asked, observing the situation.

“GAH! How long have you been there?” Ryuji said.

“This whole time” Morgana answered. “I just like observing.”

“Hmmm. I might have an idea” Ren said. “Ryuji. I have three apples, Ann has seven apples. How many apples are there between us?”

“Huh? Apples?” Ryuji said. “Uhhhhhh…”

“OK, forget that question,” Ren said. “I do three crunches, and Ann does seven crunches. How many crunches were done?”

“Oh, that’s easy. Ten crunches!” Ryuji said, confidently.

“I don’t believe it,” Morgana said.

“Good job Ryuji!” Ren said. “You just answered both questions.”

“Huh?” Ryuji said.

Ren grinned. “Your problem is you don’t think too well in the abstract. Once it’s put into terms you can understand, you do surprisingly well.”

“Huh” Ryuji said. “So, I’m good at math?”

“Well, in a sense, yes,” Ren said. “But you might want to talk to your teacher about this.”

“OK” Ryuji said. “Um, can you do that un-abstraction thing?”

“No,” Ren said. “But everyone has their own strengths. And when you’re on a team like ours, it’s important to embrace those strengths.”

“Team, huh…” Ryuji said, solemnly.

“Oh, did I say something wrong?” Ren asked.

“Nah” Ryuji said, smirking. “It’s just that, what you said got me thinking. Back when I was on the track team, I was focused on doing what’s right by me. Track isn’t a sport that is team oriented. So, everything I ended up doing was for my own sake. However, I think that’s what got me in trouble.”

Ren was curious. Ryuji continued. “See, when I hit Kamoshida after he told everyone about my home life, I was also thinking about myself. I just wanted revenge in that moment. I was only thinking about my own needs. But track IS a team sport at the end of the day. He dissolved the team after that, and I realized then that I can’t keep being selfish. I still wanna help my mom out, but I also want to help others.

I got so used to thinking that no one would help me or my mom that I never asked if anyone would. The guys on the track team probably would have understood. But now…”

“Now what?” Ren asked.

Ryuji sighed. “Now they’re just mad at me for screwing everything up.”

Ren smiled. “Well, it’s good that you’re learning. And that you want to help others out. Plus, you didn’t go with Shiho’s plan to set the school on fire.”

“Yeah…” Ryuji said. “Still, I wish there was something I could do to make it up to the team.”

“I know that feeling,” Ren said.

Ryuji looked at her. “What do you mean?

Ren was hesitant for a moment. She then relented. “So, the reason I wasn’t up for sending the card, not Ann, is because Yoshizawa hasn’t come to school since she fainted, and I’ve been worried.”

“For real?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “And I feel like there could have been more I could have done to help her. I could have stayed behind. I could have walked her home. But instead I went into the palace with all of you, thinking it would be alright.”

“Holy shit” Ryuji said, taken aback. He put his hand on her shoulder. “Look. I get it. But, it sounds like you did everything you could. You can’t be asked to be the perfect person. I mean, look at us. We’re thieves. We’re far from perfect. But we’re doing the best we can. And sometimes that can be enough.”

Ryuji took his hand off of her. “Like, I’m no saint, but I still try my best so my mom can have it easy. I know how easy it is to blame everything on yourself, but you’re only one person. One person can’t do everything.”

Ren cheered up a little bit. “Thank you Ryuji.” She giggled. “For reminding me that life is a team effort too.”

“Heh heh. No problem” Ryuji said. “We’re thieves together, as well as buddies!”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 2

Ryuji and Ren headed home for the day after that.

Notes:

I intended this to encompass more, but I decided to split up the rank ups from the confidants in play because this got onto six pages in Google Docs, and I feel like any longer would be ridiculous. If you prefer longer chapters, go ahead and tell me and I'll remember it for the future.

It keeps hitting me that this is going to be longer than I had anticipated. But I'm so invested in this now that I don't want to give up. I just see the road sign says the distances is further away than I thought.

Chapter 14: Guidance When Scared to Death

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren walked into Le Blanc. She was feeling better, but still worried about Kasumi. She took a deep breath to calm herself down and remembered that she lived in a coffee shop. It’s not like she forgot, but it still felt a little surreal. She saw Sojiro was still here. “Hey” she said. “Could I have some coffee?”

Sojiro looked up. “You seem troubled,” he said. “Are things going well at school?”

“Well, I haven’t gotten in trouble, if that’s what you’re asking” Ren said.

Sojiro seemed puzzled. “Well, I don’t want you to be miserable,” Sojiro said. “Don’t act out, but don’t become so much of a wallflower that you can’t even say what you feel.”

Ren was equally as puzzled. “Um, OK.” She sighed. “One of my friends passed out at school.” Sojiro was shocked. “Her dad told me she’s getting better, but she hasn’t been to school since. I dunno, I’m just kind of worried. I feel like I can’t focus that well until I know she’s OK.”

Sojiro smiled. “I know that feeling.”

“You do?” Ren asked.

“Of course,” Sojiro said. “Once upon a time I had friends. I understand being worried about them.” He smirked. “Tell you what. I know my coffee is good enough to ease your nerves, but why don’t I teach you how to brew some tonight?”

“Really?” Ren asked.

“Yeah” Sojiro said. “That way you can have some whenever you feel like. Well, I mean, don’t go crazy with it.”

“Right, otherwise I wouldn’t have a home,” Ren added.

“Precisely,” Sojio said. “Now, get changed, put on an apron, and wash up.” Ren went up to change. Morgana stayed in her room. She came back down, washed up, put on an apron, and joined Sojiro behind the counter.

Sojiro instructed her very carefully on how to make a good cup of coffee. “Alright, you think you got the hang of it?”

“I think so,” Ren answered.

“Alright then. Let’s see” Sojiro said. Ren followed Sojiro’s instructions and made some coffee. “Alright, now let's see how it tastes.” Ren poured out two cups. They each picked up a cup, clacked them, and took a sip. “Ah. Not bad for your first time.”

“Thank you,” Ren said. “Although, I think it might have more to do with the beans than my skill.”

“Ah yes, the beans” Sojiro remarked. “I’m going to let you in on something. While it’s true I do have high quality beans, a true test of skill is how you bring out the flavors. Don’t get me wrong, you’re not on my level yet, but you have potential. More than most first time coffeee makers.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you again.”

The bell rang out. “Huh. It’s odd that I get a customer this late” Sojiro said. “Welcome to…” he turned around to see a man in a blue jacket and cap. “What’ll it be?”

“What? No hospitality?” the man said.”And you call yourself a restaurateur.”

Sojiro glared at him. “What will it be?”

“Heh. Nothing” the man said. “I just wanted to check up on you. For old time’s sake. This seems like a nice little place you got here. I wonder if it’s enough. It has to be, right? You even have enough for a part-timer. And a cute one at that.” Ren winced.

“If you’re not going to order anything, please leave,” Sojiro said.

“OK, OK” the man said. “But I will be back. And who knows? I might come when you have customers. So maybe you should practice being nice to me.” The man left.

“Who was that guy?” Ren asked.

Sojiro sighed. “He’s an acquaintance of mine. I thought he would have been satisfied. But I guess people like that never are.” Sojiro was shaking a little.

Ren put her arm on his shoulder. “Do you want me to make you some more coffee?”

Sojiro looked at Ren. “I still need to finish this one. But thank you.” They both continued to drink. “Listen. If you see that guy when I’m not here, don’t say anything to him. If he tries anything, don’t be afraid to run or call the police. He is bad news all around.”

“I see,” Ren said. “I’ll be careful.”

Sojiro looked at Ren. He smiled. “I hope your friend gets better soon.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks. I hope that guy doesn’t come back.”

“Ah ha ha ha!” Sojiro said. He sighed. “You know, I’m starting to like you more. Or at least I’m getting used to you.”

“Same,” Ren said.

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 2

They finished their coffee, and Sojiro headed home. Ren headed upstairs and went to bed.

The next day at school, Ren got a message from the group chat.

Ann: You feeling up for it yet?

Ren: Not quite.

Ren: I just want to make sure Yoshizawa is alright.

Ryuji: Yeah, she’s still not back yet.

Ryuji: And the crap I hear is ridiculous.

Ann: Well, I know how you feel.

Ann: But we do have a deadline to meet.

Ren: Right. If she’s not back by then, we’ll go for it.

Ren: It’s just…

Ann: I get it.

Ann: Still, just keep calm.

Ryuji: Yeah, we’re here for you if you need anything.

Ren: Thanks.

“I’m here too” Morgana said as Ren put her phone away.

“Was that a cat just now?” the teacher said. The students seemed confused. “Pheh. Must be my imagination. Anyways…” they continued with the lesson. Ren sighed, relieved about not getting caught with a cat.

After school, Ren was walking around aimlessly. “Hey” Morgana said, poking his head out. “Do you wanna talk?”

“I’m good,” Ren said.

Morgana looked concerned. “Are you sure you’re up for this? We’re probably going to be facing worse stuff.” Ren stopped. “It’s not like I don’t care about Kasumi, but if you’re acting like this now, if things get worse…”

Ren smiled. “I’m doing this now in case things get worse.” Morgana was confused. “I’m taking the time I need to breathe now because who knows if I’ll get the chance later on.”

“I guess I see your point,” Morgana said. “I guess reflection is healthy when you have stuff to reflect on.”

Ren scratched Morgana’s chin. “You’ll find something.” Morgana began purring. “I mean, you’re always thinking about the job.” Ren stopped.

Morgana noticed this. “Um, why did you stop?”

“I just thought of something,” Ren said. She started walking. “If things are going to be getting tougher, we need to prepare now, right?”

“Uh, yeah?” Morgana said.

“Well then let’s go!” Ren said

“‘Go’? Go here?” Morgana asked to no avail, as Ren went on the move. Soon they ended up in front of the Takemi Clinic. “I see.”

Ren grinned and walked in as Mrgana hid in her bag. Takemi saw her. “Ah. You’re back. You need more medicine?”

“Well, kind of,” Ren said, concerning Takemi. She glanced around to see no one else was here. “I’ve heard rumors that you’re working on a special medicine.”

“Hm” Takemi said. Step into my office.” Ren did as such. Takemi locked the door. “Alright. Which conversation of mine did you eavesdrop on?”

“Uhhhhh” Ren said, concerned.

“I could probably guess,” Takemi said. “Well, it doesn’t matter. What you heard is correct. However, it’s not ready for general use. Though there are a few exceptions.”

“Exceptions?” Ren asked.

Takemi nodded and giggled. “Don’t worry. It won’t be anything too extreme for the most part. But I need absolute confidentiality on your part.”

Ren decided to think of this as a test. She was feeling a little intimidated, but if she was going to stand up to Eris and whatever she threw her way, she needed to face this doctor head on. “OK. What did you have in mind?”

“Hm. You’ve got guts kid” Takemi said. “I like that. It’s just what I need. As for what you’ll be doing, this special medicine. It’s true that I’m developing it, but it’s still in the process of getting made. Which is where you come in. I need someone to test the medicine to see if it works as intended. A guinea pig of sorts. Are you up for that?”

Ren thought about it. This special medicine could be really useful for future Phantom Thieving. Plus it sounds like a good way to get back at that jerk she heard before. And it wouldn’t hurt too much, right? “Alright. I’m in.”

“Heh. Very well” Takemi said. “In exchange for helping me, I’ll help you even further with the medicine I have. Does that sound fair?”

“Of course” Ren said.

“Hm hm. I can tell already that I’m going to like having you around” Takemi said.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Death Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Death-Tae Takemi

“We’ll start the trials some other time,” Takemi said. “They usually take a while.”

“OK” Ren said. She started to leave but then stopped. “Hey, I have a medical question.”

“Hm? What’s on your mind?” Takemi asked.

“See, my friend passed out from a fever a few days ago, “ Ren explained. “I immediately took her to the nurse’s office. And she hasn’t been to school since.”

“Worried about them, are you?” Takemi asked. “Well you shouldn’t be too worried. You did the right thing by taking her to get help right away. And unless you're a certified professional, that’s all you could have done.”

“I guess…” Ren said.

Takemi laughed. “I’m sorry. It’s just you remind me of another doctor I used to know. You seem willing to move the Earth to help people. It’s commendable for sure, but you have to be careful. You can’t help people if you’re alone or dead.”

“Right,” Ren said. “My other friends keep telling me that.” She quickly placed her hands over her mouth. Did I really just say that?

“...’Other friends’?” Takemi said, confused. “Well, it’s nice to know I’m friends with someone so kind and understanding.”

Ren was no longer scared, but still a little embarrassed. “Uh, yeah… You’re a strange one, you know that?”

“Well you know what they say,” Takemi said. “Birds of a feather flock together.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Anyways, thank you.”

“Don’t sweat it,” Takemi said. “I’ll see you around.”

“Seeya” Ren said, smiling. She left and headed back to Le Blanc.

As she was getting ready for bed, she got a message. She checked to see that it was from Yoshizawa.

Kasumi: Um, Hi senpai.

Kasumi: I’m sorry I scared you like that.

Ren: Don’t worry about it.

Ren: I just hope you’re getting better.

Kasumi: I’ll be coming back to school tomorrow.

Ren: That’s good to hear.

Kasumi: …

Kasumi: Listen.

Kasumi: When we see each other, there’s something we need to discuss.

Ren: We can discuss it now if you want.

Ren: I don’t mind.

Kasumi: No.

Kasumi: This needs to be done in person.

Ren: OK.

Ren: We’ll talk about whatever you want.

Kasumi: Thanks.

Ren: See you at school tomorrow.

Kasumi: See ya.

Ren laid down on her bed. “Can you believe it?”

Morgana nodded. “I’m glad she’s feeling better.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. She stared wistfully into her phone. Morgana saw this and pouted a little. “Well, good night.”

Morgana was taken by surprise. “Huh? Oh yeah. Good night.” The two of them fell asleep.

The next day at school, Ren looked for Yoshizawa whenever she had the opportunity. “This is weird. She did say she wanted to meet with you” Morgana said.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “And she seemed pretty serious about it too.” She continued looking. She glanced around and saw something that caught her attention. It was Yoshizawa, yes, but it was Yoshizawa as Ren saw her in her dream when the clock struck midnight. Hair down wearing glasses. “I don’t believe it.”

Meanwhile, Sumire was agonizing all day. Why did I come back? Everyone’s looking at me weird again.

“Kasumi!”

I mean, it’s not like they weren’t doing it before. It’s just I had her confidence back then.

“Kasumi!”

Maybe I should have stayed home a little more.

“Kasumi!”

No! I can’t keep running. I need to go on. Even if it is hard. I just wish I knew how.

“Kasumi!” A hand was placed on Sumire’s shoulder. She looked up to see Ren. She was slightly embarrassed. “Kasumi. How are you doing? You wanted to talk?”

Notes:

I think two rank ups a chapter is a solid pace. It just depends on what's going on. And figuring out time in this might be a bit tricky. But hopefully, it'll come together nicely. Anyways enjoy.

Chapter 15: A Single Step

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sumire stood still. In front of her was Ren, the girl who became friends with her. Well, not HER, but “Kasumi”. Still, Sumire was aware of everything that she did as “Kasumi”. When she started thinking about it, she started getting embarrassed. Her face turned a noticeable shade of red.

“Kasumi!” Ren called out. “Are you sure you’re good enough to be at school? Your face is red.”

“Huh?” Sumire said. “Oh. Oh yeah. No, I’m fine.” She regained her composure. She looked at Ren again. She’s still calling me “Kasumi”. She at least needs to know the truth. Even if I never see that smile again. Even if she hates me. She deserves the truth. Then maybe I can leave. Leave this school. Leave gymnastics. Just start again.
Sumire sighed. “Ren, we need to talk.”

Ren was taken aback by the seriousness in her voice. She started blushing. “Uh, OK. What did you want to talk about?”

Sumir looked around. “Let’s go someplace private.” She started walking and Ren followed her, confused and concerned. Once it was just the two of them, Sumire stopped. Ren stopped. Sumire turned to face Ren. She took a deep breath. “Listen, Senpai… There’s something you need to know.”

Ren tilted her head. “What is it?”

Tears started to form in Sumire’s eyes. “About a month ago, my sister died in an accident.”

Ren was shocked. “I...I’m so sorry. I didn't know.”

“It’s OK,” Sumire said. “You just transferred here. You might not have heard about it.” Sumire paused. “Her name was Kasumi Yoshizawa.” Ren was confused. “I know. I told you that was my name, but that was a lie. Well, not a lie, exactly, it’s just…” She sighed.

Sumire continued. “After the incident, I met with a therapist. I told him how I felt guilty about my sister’s death. I told him that it should have been me instead. I was in a really bad shape. My therapist asked me what Kasumi would do if she were here. I told him that she would march on.

He gave me a thought experiment. He said that if I acted like Kasumi, I could start to feel better. I...liked that idea. I started asking myself ‘What would Kasumi do?’ and then I would do it. It quickly grew into thinking that I was Kasumi. I became her. So that’s why I lied to you.”

Sumire started to tremble. “I’m sorry! I just needed you to know that! I’m sorry I lied! I don’t care if you hate me! You deserve to know the truth!”

She tried to run away, but Ren grabbed her arm and pulled her into a hug. “It’s OK,” Ren said. “I understand. I can’t imagine the torment you’re going through. But I won’t ever abandon you. I’ll be here.”

Sumire couldn’t believe it. She thought for sure Ren would run off when she heard all of this. Everyone else would. But then again, this wasn’t everyone else. This was Ren. The Ren that helped her see her true self after living in a husk ever since Kasumi’s death. She began bawling her eyes out. Ren held her tightly.

After Sumire finished, the two let go. Sumire said “Thank you. Um, sorry. Heh. I don’t know.”

“It’s OK,” Ren said. “Whatever you feel right now, you’re allowed to feel it.”
Sumire sniffed. “Thanks.”

“So, um, if you don’t mind me asking,” Ren said, “what made you change back?”

“Huh?” Sumire answered. “Oh, um, well…” her face turned red. “It was actually you…”

“Me?” Ren replied, her face now getting red.

“Yeah,” Sumire said, turning an even deeper crimson. “Whenever we spoke, I think my brain was telling me that I wanted you to see the real me. Oh gosh, this is embarrassing.” Ren didn’t say anything, but felt the same. “It got so bad that I was having a crisis in myself which I believe is what led to my fever.”

“Oh. I’m sorry” Ren said.

“Hee hee. Don’t be” giggled Sumire. “In a way, I kind of needed it. If it wasn’t for you, I’d still be trapped in Kasumi.”

“Oh. Well, uh, thanks?” Ren said . She facepalmed at herself.

Sumire chuckled. “It’s fine.” She looked at the ground for a bit. “Um, did you mean what you said?” Ren looked up. Sumire met her gaze. “That you wouldn’t abandon me?”

Ren was surprised. “Of course. I wouldn’t abandon my friend.”

“Even if they were fake…” Sumire said.

Ren took Sumire’s hand. “Listen. You’re not fake. No matter what happened, I know you. And I want to get to know you more. Nothing you say will make me want to stop being friends with you. Because I know you. You’re a good person.”

Sumire smiled. “Thank you. I...really needed to hear that.” The bell rang. “Well, we should be getting to class.”

“Yeah,” Ren said, still shaken by this whole experience.

Sumire looked at her. “Are you OK?”

“Yeah” Ren said, sheepishly. “It’s just this is a lot to take in. Heh. What about you? Are you going to be OK?”

Sumire was surprised by the question. She then looked at Ren, smiled, and said “Yeah. I’ll be fine knowing that you’re there for me.”

“Glad to hear it,” Ren said. Sumire started walking away. “Hey, wait!” Sumire turned around. “Um, since it’s not Kasumi, what IS your name?”

Sumire was shocked. Ren had said all of this about her without even knowing her name. She chuckled to herself. Of course she would break my spell. “It’s Sumire,” she said, with a smile. “Sumire Yoshizawa.”

“Sumire, huh” Ren said. “I like it. I think it suits you.”

“I think so too,” Sumire said.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Faith Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 1

Ren watched Sumire walk off for a few seconds and then left herself. Meanwhile, Sumire walked to class thinking about everything Ren had given her in that moment. Confidence. A friend. The truth. She started to feel less afraid. More ready to be herself. This wasn’t an overnight fix, but Sumire knew with Ren in her corner, she could make it. However. Ren had given her something else that neither she nor Ren knew she did. A mysterious app on her phone.

In class, Ren messaged the thieves.

Ren: OK. I’m ready to meet up! We can send that calling card now!

Ryuji: For real?! Sweet!

Ann: I’m glad Yoshizawa is back.

Ren: Sorry I made you wait.

Ren: Now it’s your turn to save Shiho.

Ann: It’s OK, I understand completely.

Ren: On the roof then?

Ryuji: Of course.

Ann: Seeya there.

Ren was just about to put her phone away when she glanced at it. She quickly changed the contact information she had for Yoshizawa. From Kasumi to Sumire. She smiled and put her phone away.

After school, Ren was on her way to the rooftop when Morgana popped up. “Hey” he said. “Um, did you want to talk about Yoshizawa with everyone else?”

Ren seemed confused. “Um, well, I just don’t know if I should. I kind of forgot you were there with me to be honest.”

“Well, I’m not one to judge,” Morgana said. “I purposefully didn’t come out because that moment was just for you and her. But she deserves to have more than just you to lean on.”

Ren looked at Morgana. She sighed. “You’re right. You’re absolutely right. But I don’t know if I should be telling people. It all just seems so personal.”

“Well, it couldn’t hurt to ask,” Morgana said. He gestured. Ren turned around to see Sumire. She smiled and walked up to her.

Sumire looked at Ren. “Oh, hey senpai! What’s up?”

“Well, um, I was just wondering something,” Ren said.

“Shoot,” Sumire said.

Ren was hesitant, but knew she had to ask. “Um, oh God. Would, um, it be possible… Er, do you think… What I mean is…”

Sumire was confused. “What is it? You’re making me nervous.”

Ren paused. “Would it be possible for me to tell other people about your situation?” She blurted out.

Sumire was surprised. However, she collected herself and said “Sure, I guess.”

“Really?” Ren asked, confused.

“I mean, if it’s people you trust,” Sumire said. “I trust you enough to know that you wouldn’t hurt anyone intentionally. So I trust you. Besides, I think if it’s anyone here, they’d know me as ‘Sumire’ anyway. So, it’s not like it means a lot.”

Ren stood still. “Sumire. Of course it means a lot. What happened to you...it’s a lot...for anyone. But the fact that you’re able to stand means you’re strong.”

Sumire blushed. “Oh. Um, thank you.” She snickered gleefully. “Though I guess I’m only at this point because of you.”

“And that’s fine,” Ren said. “Any help you can get.”

“Hee hee. Well, I want to be able to stand on my own eventually. But…” Sumire said.

“It’s a long road. I get it” Ren said.

“Well, um, thanks for asking,” Sumire said. “Right now I’ve gt to get to practice. I wonder what my coach will say.”

“I hope it'll be good,” Ren said.

“Me too,” Sumire said. “Seeya.” She left. Ren headed for the roof.

Once Ren got there she was greeted with a casual “Hey what’s up?” from Ryuji.

“How’s Yoshizawa?” Ann asked.

Ren smiled. “She’s doing better…but it’s complicated…”

Ryuji got confused. “Augh! Right. Her sister died like last month.”

“Yeah, I bet her parents were worried,” Ann said.

“I know I’d be,” Ryuji said.

“By the way, she looked a little different today. Do you know why that is?” Ann asked.

Ren sighed. “Yeah.”

“Well, what is it?” Ryuji said. “Spill it already.”

“It’s just… you gotta promise not to tell anyone else,” Ren said.

“Um, if it’s that serious, why tell us at all?” Ann asked.

Morgana came to Ren’s aid. “She did ask Yoshizawa about this! She’s placing her trust in her team.”

“Oh, I see,” Ann said.

“Well, if you trust us that much, we’ll promise” Ryuji said.

Ren smiled sheepishly. “OK. Here goes.” Ren explained what was going on with Sumire to Ann and Ryuji. Once she did, the two of them were shook.

“Holy shit” Ryuji said.

“I...I don’t have any words…” Ann said.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “It’s a lot…”

“It’s more than a lot!” Ryuji yelled. “How the eff is she able to come to school at all after that?!”

“Calm down Ryuji!” Ann said.

“I know. It’s just...UGH!” Ryuji said.

Ren placed her hand on Ryuji’s shoulder. “She’ll be fine. I know it.”

Ryuji looked at Ren. “Well, if you believe in her, then so do I!” he said.

“Me too!” Ann added in.

“There’s something else,” Ren said. “Back in Kamoshida’s palace, I took note of a particular book on the shelf. It was for Sumire. Now, I want to remind you, I didn’t know she was Sumire at the time, so that’s why I thought it was weird. But now something else is jumping out at me. The subtitle.”

“Oh yeah” Morgana said. “They all had one.”

“What was her’s?” Ann asked.

“‘The Delusional Gymnast’.” Ren answered.

“Wait...so he KNEW she was pretending to be her sister and he STILL tried to make an advance on her!” Ann screamed. “That bastard!”

“Well, it’s not like this is unusual,” Ryuji said.

“Right, he did the same thing with me and my arrest record” Ren addd.

“But it STILL pisses me off!” Ann screamed.

“Right” Ren added. “Well, the day is upon us for us to do something!”

“Right. The whole reason we’re meeting” Ann said.

“Hell yeah!” Ryuji added on.

“Remember, we only get one shot at this!” Morgana said. “Once we send the card, we have to go in and steal the treasure.”

“Of course” Ren said. “I know you two have been waiting, and Morgana’s always up for it. So now that I’m ready, let’s send that calling card!”

“YEAH!” they all said.

“So, uh, who has it?” Ryuji said.

“Oh, ummmmmmmm” Ren said.

“We have to make it” Morgana said.

“Oh yeah. That makes sense” Ann said.

“So, we can’t send it today?” Ryuji asked.

Morgana shook his head. “Doesn’t seem like it.”

Ryuji sighed. “Well, we just have to make it! But wait, how are we going to go about getting Kamoshida to see it.”

“Don’t worry! We’ll figure that out once we write it” Ann said.

“Oh. Cool” Ryuji said.

“So now all we have to do is write it up,” Ren said.

“Why don’t we do that together?” Ryuji asked. “Tonight!”

“Sure, but where?” Ann asked.

“Well, my place is out of the question,” Ryuji said. “It’s barely big enough to accommodate me and my mom. I guess it could hold three people fine, but any more than that and it’s just cramped.”

“Well, my place is big. We could do it there” Ann said.

“Are your parents home?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh yeah” Ann said. “And with them, I doubt we’d get anything done.”

Ren was confused. “Why’s they?”

“They’re SUPER clingy,” Ryuji said. “When I went there in middle school, it was non-stop questions and physical contact.”

“They weren’t THAT bad!” Ann said. “But yeah, it can get super close.”

“It’s only because they’re away so often,” Ryuji said. “They want to make the most of the time they share. Honestly, I’m touched.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So, what about my place?”

“The cafe?” Ryuji asked.

“Wait, you live in a cafe?” Ann asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “We can pass it off as a study session between friends.”

“Sounds good,” Ryuji said.

“I guess” Ann said. “Alright, let’s go!” The group headed out.

Ren led them to Le Blanc. “Hey,” she said to Sojiro as she entered.

Sojiro turned to them. “Hm? Who are these kids?”

“These are my friends. Ann and Ryuji” Ren said introducing them.

“Hi,” Ann said.

“Hey,” Ryuji said.

“We decided to work on school stuff, and thought here would be a good place,” Ren said. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Sojiro looked them over. “Not at all. I’m glad to see you taking your school work so seriously. And I’m glad to see you’re making friends. I just hope you’re keeping them out of trouble.”

“Oh, you don’t need to worry about that,” Ann said.

“Yeah, if anything, she’s been really helpful to us” Ryuji added.

“Really?” Sojio said. “Well, if you say so. Just make sure to not bother the other customers.”

They saw the place was empty. “Um, what other customers?” Ryuji asked.

Sojiro glared at him. “I mean when they arrive.”

“Oh. Right. Gotcha” said Ryuji. “Thanks Boss.” Sojiro was surprised by the title he had just received.

The crew sat down, Ren and Morgana in her bag on one side, Ann and Ryuji on the other. Ren took out some school stuff. “Alright, let’s begin.”

“Wait…” Ryuji said. “Aren’t we uh…?”

Ren smiled. “We’ll get to it. But we should study first.”

“Oh. I see” Ryuji said. “Alright then.” He and Ann took out their stuff as well. They reviewed what they had learned so far.

Over the course of the impromptu study session, Sojiro came by with a cup of coffee for each of the teens. “Here. It’s on me.”

“Really?” Ann asked. “Thanks.”

They all took a sip. “BLECH!” Ryuji exclaimed. “Thaths bhittah!” he said in agony.

“You don't like coffee?” Ren asked.

“Hm. I get it” Sojiro said. “It was too much for me when I was your age too. I’ll get you a soda.”

“Thanks both,” Ryuji replied. After Ryuji got his soda, they continued to work.

A little while later, Ren said “OK, I think now’s a good time.” She got out a blank piece of paper. “Now, what do we say?”

“We have to make sure Kamoshida knows we’re stealing his desires,” Morgana said, popping out. “So that part needs to be made clear.”

“And I think we should let everyone know why,” Ren said. “Putting it out in the public will make it more likely he’ll get defensive.”

“Good thinking!” Morgana said.

“Hey, should we also tell Shiho?” Ann asked. “Through the note I mean?”

“Hmmm” Morgana thought. “I guess it makes sense.”

“Wouldn’t that prompt a response from the other Shiho though?”

“I think it would do that anyway” Ren said. “Besides, we don’t want Shiho to take over more than she already has. If we put her on blast too, she might be more irrational.”

“True,” Morgana said.

“Alright, now we’ve got to figure out how to phrase all of it!” Ann said.

“Leave that to me!” Ryuji said. He took the paper and began writing. “And done!” Ren took it and looked it over. “What’d ya think?”

“Well, it’s not bad…” Ren said.

“Are you kidding?” Morgana said. “It’s terrible!”

“What was that?” Ryuji hissed.

“Let me see,” Ann said, grabbing it. “Hmm, well, it’s not great. I can understand what you’re saying, but it is odd.”

“I can fix it, “ Ren said. She took out another blank sheet of paper. She took Ryuji’s original and retooled it. “How’s that?”

Ann and Ryuji took a look. “Woah! That’s amazing!”

“I agree! It really sells it!” Ann said.

“What do you think?” Ren asked, showing Morgana.

Morgana looked at it. “Nice. Very well done! Much better than Ryuji.”

“Why you gotta keep throwing me under the bus?” Ryuji said.

“Because you keep doing stupid things” Morgana said.

“Only to you!” Ryuji said.

“Look. We can’t afford to fight right now” Ren said. “We have bigger fish to fry.”

“Yeah but…” Ryuji protested. He sighed. “You’re right.”

“Now Morgana, apologize” Ann said.

“But I…” Morgana said. Ann stared him down. “I’m sorry Ryuji. You actually did alright.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.”

“Now, how do we send this to Kamoshida?” Ren asked.

“Well, I can’t post it,” Ryuji said. “The teachers all have their eye on me.”

“I don’t think I can do it either,” Ren said. “The teachers know about my situation. If they see me, I’m done.”

“Leave it to me!” Ann said.

Ren handed her the note. “Thanks Ann.”

“No problem!” she replied.

“Now, I suggest we all get some rest,” Ren said. “Tomorrow’s going to be a big day.”

Ryuji and Ann nodded. “Good night!” Ryuji said.

“See you tomorrow,” Ann said. The two of them left.

Ren smiled. She gathered up all of her stuff and started to go to her room. “Hey” Sojiro stopped her. She turned to face him. “They seem nice. Your friends I mean.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you.”

Sojiro smiled back. “Feel free to bring them over any time.”

Ren was surprised. “Thank you, sir” she said, bowing.

“Heh. If anything, call me Boss” Sojiro said. Ren was confused. “That Ryuji kid called me that.” He started to blush. “And I kind of like it.”

Ren giggled. “OK Boss.”

“Well, good night,” Sojiro said.

“Good night” Ren replied. Sojiro left. Ren went up stairs, changed into her pajamas, and laid down on her bed.

“So, you ready?” Morgana asked. Ren looked at him. “Once we do this, there’s no going back.”

Ren smirked. “I’m ready.”

“That’s all I need to hear,” Morgana said. “Good night.”

“Good night Morgana” Ren said. She drifted off to sleep soon afterwards.

Notes:

I'm really excited about this fic in general, but this chapter is making me feel something. Things are happening and the Kamoshida arc is close to wrapping up. I didn't think it would take so long, but I feel like this is worth it right now. I'm visualizing a lot of the beats in my head, and I can't wait. I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoy writing it.

Chapter 16: Waterloo

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was morning. Several students were gathered around the bulletin board. It was plastered end to end with copies of the calling card. Sumire was walking by and she saw the crowd. Normally, she’d be adverse to large gatherings, but something about this drew her in. “Um, excuse me” she said, making her way to the bulletin board.

She began to read. “Suguru Kamoshida, the bastard sinner of lust. You push your sick and twisted desires on the children you are supposed to teach. When you’re not working them to their breaking point, you treat the female students as your own personal escort service. It’s gotten so bad that there are people out there that wish to see you wallow in agony as they send you up in flames. We cannot stand idly by and wait for that to happen. Henceforth, we shall steal your desires and make you confess your sins with your own mouth. From, The Phantom Thieves of Heart." She looked next to the calling card itself to spy a crudely drawn portrait of a thief in a top hat.

The students around were in shock. “Steal desires?”

“So, those rumors about Kamoshida are true?”

“Who are these Phantom Thieves?”

“What’s this ‘flames’ comment mean?”

Ren, Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana were watching from a distance. “This calling card is turning out great!” Morgana chimed.

“For real!” Ryuji said. “But, uh, what’s with that drawing?”

“Oh, I thought it needed something,” Ann said.

“OK, but doesn’t it look….” Ryuji began.

Ann was confused. “What?”

“Well, uh, how do I put this?” Ryuji said.

“It’s certainly eye-catching,” Ren said.

“Totally!” Ann said.

“...I think she missed your sarcasm,” Morgana said.

“WHAT?!” Ann said

“Yeah, it just doesn’t look good,” Ryuji said.

“Oh, like YOU could do any better” Ann huffed.

Kamoshida came walking through the halls and saw the crowd. “Hm?” He looked at the bulletin board. Once he was through reading it, his face went pale. “WHO DID THIS?” he screamed. “WAS IT YOU?! OR MAYBE YOU?!” The students cowered and ran. Sumire hid behind a wall and continued to watch Kamoshida as he approached Ren and her group. “Was it you?”

Ren put her arms behind her head. “I didn’t do it.”

Ryuji brushed his finger under his nose. “Me neither.”

Kamoshida glared at them. He looked at Ann. “What?” she said.

Kamoshida huffed. “I don’t care! I’m expelling you all! Laugh it up while you still have the chance!”

A sudden flash, and the thieves noticed their world turn black. They saw King Kamoshida standing there. “Heh. Come and take it. See if you can!”

They flashed back to reality. Kamoshida walked off. Sumire slinked away and to her classroom. Shiho walked up. “Huh?” she said. She looked at the board and read the calling card. “Hm. Heh” she muttered as she read it.

Another flash back to that all black scenery. Shiho was now in her Napoleon outfit. “You want a revolution? Well then, here it comes!”

They went back to reality once again. Shiho walked off. “Well, it seems to have worked,” Morgana said.

“Great! Now all we have to do is steal the treasure” Ryuji said, punching his palm.

“No turning back!” Ann cheered

Ren smirked. “Let’s do this.”

After school, the thieves met up. “Remember, we’ve only got one shot at this” Morgana reminded them.

“Yeah” Ryuji said.

“My heart is pounding” Ann said.

“Well, there’s no going back now” Ren reminded them.

“You’re right,” Ann said. “Let’s make this bastard pay.”

“And make sure Shiho doesn't become like him,” Ryuji said.

“Well put” Morgana said. “Let’s go!” The thieves transported to the other world. Once there, they found themselves in the village. “OK, I don’t think anyone has noticed us yet.”

“Revolutionaries!” The thieves heard Shiho shout. They peered around a house to see Shiho addressing the members of the village. “I know we had planned to take Kamoshida on May second, but something has happened. A band of thieves are trying to steal away our chance to get revenge on Kamoshida. So we must storm the castle now! Who’s with me?!” The crowd cheered.

“We’ve gotta move!” Morgana said.

“Yeah, I can tell things are going to get hectic” Ann said. The thieves headed towards the bridge to the castle.

Once at the castle, Ryuji remarked “Kamoshida’s also going to be on high alert.”

“Right. But all we have to focus on is the treasure” Ren. “Once we do that, everything should be alright, right Mona?”

Morgana nodded. “Yeah.”

“Then let’s go!” Ren said They walked in and hid. “I don’t think we’ve been noticed yet.”

“But there are guards all around here” Ann noted.”

“Yeah, but there’s a shortcut through that painting, right?” Ryuji said. “We just gotta book it through there, and then it’s a hop, skip, and a jump from the treasure.”

Ren nodded. “On the count of three. One...two...THREE!” The thieves started running through the main hall. The guards were confused. One by one the thieves passed through the portrait.

Just as Morgana passed through meeting up with the rest of them, they heard the hall door open one again. “Alright soldiers!” Shiho instructed. “CHARGE!” Voices erupted in yells. The revolutionaries clashed with the castle guards. They heard more people pouring in to the castle.

“We have to keep moving!” Morgana said.

“Right,” Ren said. They went on the move to the upper echelons of the castle. They managed to sneak by guards. They also heard the sounds of Shiho’s forces moving through the castle.

Pretty soon, they made it to the throne room. “Huh? It’s Open?” Ryuji said, surprised.

“And Kamoshida is nowhere to be found,” Ann said.

“Well, it makes sense,” Morgana said. “The revolutionaries aren’t after Kamoshida’s treasure, just Kamoshida himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in a secluded location being guarded by the highest ranking guards.”

“But we’ve explored a lot of the castle,” Ren said. “It’s hard to believe that there’s a place that’s more secluded.”

“Well, whatever” Ryuji said. “All we need to do is grab the treasure and get out of here. Then this madness will end.”

“Skull has a point,” Morgana said. “Let’s just go!” The thieves nodded. They walked through the throne room and back into the treasure room.

They saw a regular-sized crown. “Woah! So that’s the treasure” Ryuji said.

“Mm-hm” Morgana said, nodding. “That’s it.”

Ren looked at Morgana. “Um, Mona, you seem to be shaking. Are you alright?”

There was a sparkle in Morgana's eye. “Tre-treasure.” He jumped up on it and started playing with it like a yarn-ball. “MEOW!”

“Uh, is the cat OK?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah, this is kind of weird,” Ann added.

“Meeeeeeow” Morgan said, continuing to play.

Ren grabbed Morgana. “Mona?” she said, looking at him

Morgana got embarrassed. “Ahem. Uh, sorry.  Guess I’m just attracted to human desire.”

Ren sighed. “Skull, just grab the treasure.”

“Yeah” Ryuji said. He grabbed the crown.

“LOOK, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IT IS EITHER!” Morgana yelled, defending himself.

“I guess it’s because he was created for the purpose of finding such things” Ann said. “If I’m remembering everything right.”

“Thank you Lady Aaaa- Panther” Morgana said. “I know you’d understand.

“Believe me, I’m at the epicenter of all of this,” Ren said. “I get it.”

“Thank you as well, Joker” Morgana said.

“Doesn’t make it any less weird” Ren said.

“Yeah, it-HEY!” Morgana said.

“We can debate the weirdness later!” Ann said. “Right now, we have to focus on getting out of here!” The thieves nodded. Ren put Morgana down and they headed back to the throne room. Once they entered, they saw Shiho standing over Kamoshida with a sword at his throat. “SHIHO!” Ann yelled.

Shiho and Kamoshida looked at them. Shiho laughed. “This bastard was waiting to ambush you and take his treasure back. Good thing I happened to notice a certain spinning portrait.”

“Drat!” Morgana said.

“Now I can finish this monster once and for all!” Shiho raised her blade to kill Kamoshida.

Ann struggled to comprehend the sight before her. “CARMEN!” she called. She blasted Shiho off of Kamoshida.

Ryuji raced to grab Kamoshida and put him between them and Shiho. ”Thanks,” Kamoshida said.

Ryuji kicked him in the face, knocking him out. “Shut up.”

Shiho got back up. “So, you’ll still defend this man? This man who does everything for himself and his ego. This man who breaks his students. He is truly the lowest of the low, and yet you still defend him?”

“We aren’t defending his actions” Ann yelled.

“Yeah, Kamoshda’s a real piece of shit!” Ryuji added. “We all know this!”

“We’re going to make him pay!” Morgana yelled.

“We just don't want you to sink to his level,” Ren told her.

“Heh” Shiho said. “You’re putting a lot of effort to protect someone who wouldn’t care if you died. You know how he thinks of you, right?” She waved her hand. Three books appeared. They opened to reveal Ann in a bikini with cat ears and a tail, Ren in prison garb with tears in it, and a Ryuji who looks sort of like a monkey completely broken down with no legs.”

“Uh, what’s going on?” Ryuji asked.

Morgana was shocked. “Oh no! She’s starting to take over more!”

“That’s not good,” Ren said.

Morgana shook his head. “If we want Kamoshida to confess, the palace still has to be his! All we have to do is keep Kamoshida alive and leave with the treasure. That way, she can’t fully control it.”

Ren readied herself. “Well then, I guess that's what we’re doing.”

“You STILL want to keep him alive?!” Shiho said in shock. “Even after knowing what he thinks of you?! How he sees you?! How he wants to destroy you completely?!”

“Hm” Ann chuckled. “You think I care what a scumbag like Kamoshida thinks? Well, you’re wrong! You wanna know what I care about?! I care about my best friend! And right now, she’s about to make a huge mistake! I’m here to stop her!”

Shiho glared at the thieves. “Very well.” She drew her sword. “I’ll just have to take you on myself.”

“Woah! Is she really going to fight us?” Ryuji asked.

“We have no other choice” Ann said. “It’s the only way to get through to Shiho!”

“Well, if you’re OK with it, then so am I” Ren said.

“Yah! The Phantom Thieves never back down!” Mornaga said. They all began to face off against Shiho. After a few rounds, Morgana remarked “Woah, she’s good.”

The castle started to break down. “Woah! What’s going on?” Ryuji asked.

“She’s taking more control of the palace!” Morgana said.

“She can’t gain full control so long as Kamoshida’s still alive, right?” Ren asked.

“Right!” Morgana said.

“I suggest we stay the course!” Ren said.

“Come in” said Kamoshida’s voice.

“Huh?” Ren said.

You wanted to see me?” Shiho asked.

“Where's this coming from?” Ryuji asked.

“Ah, Suzui-chan, great timing” Kamoshida’s voice said. “You’re friends with Takamaki-chan, right? Do you happen to know her number?”

Ann was horrified. “Don’t tell me!”

The Shiho in front of them nodded. “Yes. This is a real interaction I’ve had with Kamoshida.”

The conversation continued with Shiho’s voice. “Why do you need to know that?”

Kmaoshida laughed. “Because she’s smoking hot, and I’d like me some of that.”

“Grrrr” hissed Ann.

Shiho’s voice grew concerned. “Why would I give it to you now, after you just admitted to that?”

“Heh” said Kamoshida. “Because my word is law. If you don’t, you’re off the volleyball team!”

“You. You can’t do that!” Shiho exclaimed.

“Oh, but I can,” Kamoshida continued. “This school eats out of the palm of my hand. They wouldn’t believe you if you told them about this conversation.” Shiho could be heard starting to cry. ”Oh, don’t be like that,” Kamoshida said. “Tell you what. You’re pretty cute as well. If you don’t want to give me Takamaki’s number, you could just take her place. Tell you what? I’m feeling generous. I’ll give you a week for you to give me your answer. Takamaki. You. Or volleyball. The choice is yours.”

The voices stopped. Shadow Shiho spoke. “You still want to defend him? You still want to show him mercy?”

Ann was seething. Ren spoke up. “This doesn’t change anything!” she said. Ann was shocked. Ren looked at Ann and nodded.

Ann nodded back. She looked at Shiho. “Right. We KNOW Kamoshida is a piece of shit. That’s WHY we’re doing this in the first place. We’re going to make him confess his crimes with his own mouth. Then everyone will know how truly awful he is.”

“A lofty ideal,” Shiho said. “But I still want him dead!” They continued to fight.

After a few more rounds, the voices came back. “I can't,” Shiho said. “I can’t give up my best friend for volleyball. I just can’t. But… I don't want to go with him either.” The thieves listened intently. “This is an impossible choice! However… No. That’s crazy! But so is this…” She sighed. “I have time. If I can’t think of anything else… I’ll do it! I’ll jump!” As the voice stopped, the thieves were shocked.

“Shiho…” Ann said.

“NOW will you change your mind?” Shiho asked. “He doesn’t DESERVE the kindness you’re giving him!”

“No way!” Ryuji shouted. “It doesn’t have to be your life or his! We’re living proof of that!”

There was chatter.

“What was that?” Ann asked.

“Heh” Shiho said. “Those are my fellow revolutionaries. They want Kamoshida dead just as much. You can’t stop all of us.”

Ren gathered her team. “As much as I hate to admit it, she’s right. One of us needs to hide Kamoshida while the rest of us keep her distracted.”

“Who should it be?” Morgana asked.

Ren looked at Morgana and smiled. “Why don’t you do it?” she told him.

“Me?” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “She knows the rest of us. You’re the odd one out here.”

“Well, yeah, but…” Morgana said.

“You can do it Mona!” Ann said.

Morgana smiled. “Well, if Panther thinks I can do it, then I shall.” Morgan went to gather Kamoshida.

Ren nodded. “ARSENE!” she called out. She attacked Shiho. Morgana was hiding Kamoshida, while the remaining three continued to fight.

After a few more rounds, the revolutionaries stormed the throne room. “HA!” Shiho called. “You’re too late! GET KAMOSHIDA!”

The revolutionaries searched the room. “Uh...Kamoshida isn’t here.”

Shiho was confused. “What?!” She looked behind the three thieves. “Where’d he go?!”

“Like we’d tell you!” Morgana said. He came out and performed a sneak attack on Shiho and then joined the rest of the group.

Shiho growled. “Spread out and find Kamoshida! They couldn’t have taken him too far!” The revolutionaries spread out in search of Kamoshida. “I’ll take care of these stubborn thieves.”

“Heh. We may be stubborn” Morgana said. “But we also know we’re right!” Shiho scowled. The fight continued on for a little while longer.

After trading some blows, Shiho fell to her knees. “No,” she said in agony. She started to cry. She covered her face with her hands.

The thieves were struck with a confusion hard to describe. This was the person threatening death at all costs not a moment ago. But they also knew she was just as much a victim as anyone else. “I’ve got this,” Ann said. She approached Shiho. “Hey...Shiho…”

Shiho looked up, tears covering her face. “I’m sorry!” She hugged Ann. Ann gently hugged her back. “Everywhere I looked was filled with darkness. I didn’t want to give you to someone like him. I didn’t want to give myself. I didn’t want to lose volleyball. I’m sorry. I’m just a selfish person.” She continued to cry.

Ann started to tremble a little as well. “Shiho. What happened, it wasn’t your fault. I should have done something sooner as well. But the real person to blame is Kamoshida. He’s nothing short of a monster.”

“But...but...I betrayed you,” Shiho said.

“You did no such thing” Ann said. “You just did the only thing you thought you could do. I don’t blame you for any of this.”

“So...So you’ll forgive me?” Shiho asked.

Ann smiled. “Of course I’ll forgive you!” Ann started to cry as well. “What are best friends for?!”

“Heh heh” Shiho said. She stopped crying, as did Ann. The two girls let go of each other.

Shiho smiled. “Thanks Ann. I feel like I needed this.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “I feel that too.”

“I’ll see you back on the other side,” Shiho said as she faded.

The rest of the thieves awkwardly approached Ann. “So, is that it?” Ryuji asked.

“Not quite,” Morgana said. “We gotta get Kamoshida’s shadow to do the same.”

“So, where did you hide him?” Ren asked. Morgana knocked on a column and Kamoshida fell from the large bush at the top of it.

Kamoshida looked up to see the thieves pointing their long-ranged weapons at him. “Yo, we’re taking this,” Ryuji said, showing off the crown.

“You better go and confess your sins!” Ann demanded.

Kamoshida looked scared. “OK! I WILL!”

Ren pushed her gun against Kamoshida. “Promise?”

“I PROMISE!” Kamoshida said in a panic. “I...I don’t want to live in that darkness again…”

“Darkness?” Ann asked

“Probably a residual for the take over” Morgana explained.

Kamoshida’s shadow disappeared. “Well, now that that’s settled, let’s get out of here” Ryuji said. The castle started to shake. “What’s going on?!”

“We have to hurry!” Mogana said. “Now that we have the treasure and Kamoshida’s has returned to him, the palace is collapsing!”

“WHY’D YOU WAIT UNTIL NOW TO TELL US THIS WOULD HAPPEN?!” Ryuji asked.

“No time!” Ren reminded them. “Let’s move!” The Phantom Thieves quickly ran through the castle and the village, escaping the implosion.

Once they escaped, they found themselves in an ally in front of the school. “Location Deleted” the app said.

“Man, that was a close one,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah” said Ann.

“Which brings me back to my original question,” Ryuji remarked. “WHY THE EFF DID YOU NOT TELL US THIS BEFORE YOU STUPID CAT?!”

“Not so loud!” Ann said. “People might hear us.”

“I...I thought it was obvious,” Morgana said.

“How would that be obvious?!” Ryuji said.

“I mean, it IS a world created from the subconscious” Ren remarked. “Nothing really surprises me when it comes to this.”

“Yeah Ryuji. You should be more prepared!” Morgana chided.

“Don’t take his side!” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, you should have told us Morgana,” Ann said.

“...I’m sorry Lady Ann,” Morgana said.

“Well, we all escaped,” Ryuji said. “I guess that’s gotta count for something.”

“Yeah!” Ann said. “Now let’s see that treasure!”

“Huh? Oh yeah” Ryuji said. He lifted his hand to see not a crown, but a medal. “What? Where’s the crown?!”

“Hmm, If I had to guess, this is the actual treasure” Ren said. “It’s the thing that caused him to be the way that he is.”

“Bingo!” Morgana said.

“I thought bingo was a dog thing” Ren remarked.

“I-eh-uh” Morgana stuttered. “Nevermind. The point is, the treasure takes on a different form in the Metaverse than it does here.”

“Oh, I see,” Ryuji said. “I think. Basically, he thought of this medal as a crown. It’s what made him a king.”

“Precisely” Morgana said. “I guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day.”

“I’ll stop your clock!” Ryuji threatened.

“What does that even mean?” Ann asked.

“So, now what happens?” Ren asked. They all looked at her. “We have the medal, we’ve stopped Shiho from going through with her plan, and we’ve gotten Kamoshida to promise to confess. Now what?”

“We wait,” Morgana said.

“Seriously?” Ryuji said.

“Hey! This isn’t an exact science” Morgana said. “We just have to wait until Kamoshida confesses.”

The three teens stood silently for a bit. Ren chimed in “As much as I hate to admit it, there’s nothing else we can do for the time being.”

“Well, I know what I’m doing,” Ann said. “I’m going to go check on Shiho. Make sure she’s alright.”

Ren smiled. “I like that. I should do so too when I get the chance.”

“Yeah, same here” Ryuji said. “It feels like forever since I’ve hung out with her.”

“Yeah, it’ll be just like old times!” Ann said, a smile appearing on her face.

“So, what do we do with this?” Ryuji said, holding out the medal.”

“I guess I’ll take it for now,” Ren said. “We can figure it out later.”

“Fair enough,” Ryuji said, handing it over. “Well, I gotta get going. My mom’s expecting me for dinner tonight. Oh, and Ann.” Ann looked at him. “Give my best to Shiho. Seeya!” He ran off.

Ann blushed slightly. “I will.” Morgana pouted a little. Ren kicked him gently, but enough to make him stop.

“I should get going too. I don’t want Sojiro to worry about me” Ren said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “Have a good night.”

“You too,” Ren said. She crouched down. “Alright kitty, get in the bag.” Morgana looked at her weird, but didn’t say anything as he hopped in the bag. She got back up and started to walk to the station.

Ann got out her phone and dialed Shiho’s number. “Hey Shiho. Is now a good time to talk?”

Notes:

And thus, the Castle of Lust is no more. It's gonna be a few chapters before the confession, but hopefully it won't be too long. I want to get a few things sorted out both before and after the confession.

Anyways, I called this chapter "Waterloo" because it's the end of Napoleon, and since Shiho was dressed as Napoleon and she was defeated/realized the error of her ways. Kind of like how I called the third chapter "Versailles" since that was more about people willing to overthrow Kamoshida. (Personal Note: Spelled it right, first try, no Google. Yay Me!) I just thought it was a nice bit of trivia to share.

Also, as I stated before, I am flying by the seat of my pants on this. I was expecting a lot more criticism, but so far no one dislikes what I've wrote so far to say anything, except for the use of the Confidant rank system, but that's not exclusive to this story (I don't think anyway). If you do have any issues, please tell me. Otherwise, enjoy.

Chapter 17: Friends Stick Together

Notes:

I don't entirely know why this story is so easy for me to update. I can think of a few reasons, but I also have a few other projects I'm working on, and yet somehow I always find myself drawn to this one. This is just really fun and interesting to me. Even a chapter like this that's just downtime is fun. There's something about this story. I hope you like it too.

Chapter Text

Ren walked back into Le Blanc. “Ah, you’re back,” Sojiro said. He looked Ren over. “You seem exhausted. Busy day at school? Or did you apply for a job?”

Ren looked at him confused. “I can apply for a job?” she asked.

Sojiro sighed. “You probably should if you want any extra spending money. I’d rather not have to keep giving you money.”

“No, what I mean is, I can apply for one given my...record?” Ren asked again.

“Oh. Right” Sojiro said. “To be honest, I almost forgot about that. But yeah. There are places that would hire you despite your record. Heck, I don’t even know how you’d plan on making a living on your own once you get out of school if you didn’t think that.”

“I see,” Ren said. “I’ll have to look into that.”

“You should,” Sojiro said. “It might be helpful.”

Ren knew Sojiro meant that in the best possible way, but she did feel some stings coming off of it where she knew he still wouldn’t believe her if she said she was innocent. She figured she'd take what she could get. She walked up to her room and got a message from the Phantom Thief group chat.

Ryuji: So, how’s Shiho doing?

Ann: Well…

Ann: When I called her, she was inside the school throwing up.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Morgana, who was looking on, wondered “Could this be a side-effect of her losing at Kamoshida’s Palace?”

Ren: Morgana wants to know if it’s Metaverse-related.

Ann: I think it is.

Ann: She said that she’d just started, which would make sense with the timeline.

Ann: When I got there she was still going.

Ann: After she finished, she told me she was sorry again. For trying to organize a student-wide burning of the school.

Ann: I assured her everything was alright and got her home.

Ryuji: Well that’s nice of you. I hope she feels better soon.

Ren: She apologized again? Didn’t she apologize in the other world too?

“Yeah, that’s a good point,” Morgana said.

Ann: I thought that was strange as well.

Ann: I asked her how she came up with such an idea.

Ann: She told me that a mysterious figure came into her room one night and gave her an apple.

Ann: Once she took a bite of it, she had a vision about what to do.

Ren: Eris…

Ann: Yeah.

Ann: She doesn’t seem to remember what happened in Kamoshida’s Palace.

“That makes sense,” Morgana said. “Kamoshida’s shadow wouldn’t know exactly what happened either.”

Ren: Morgana says it’s the same with Kamoshida.

Ryuji: Yeah, I was wondering about that.

Ann: Shiho says she’ll be fine, but she is going to be absent from school until she feels better.

Ren: Well, you know I’m here if you need anything.

Ryuji: Yeah, same.

Ann: Thanks.

Ren: Hey, wanna meet up briefly tomorrow? I’m going to check around the subway station for some part-time jobs.

Ann: Sure!

Ryuji: I’ll come too.

Ren: Great! See you then.

Ann: Good night.

Ryuji: Good night.

Ren changed into her pajamas and sat down on her bed. Morgana pounced up to meet her there. “Is something on your mind?” he asked.

Ren was thinking about something. “So, do you want to talk about what happened with the treasure?” she asked.

“Oh, um, well…” Morgana said, embarrassed. He sighed. “We went over this. I’m apparently attracted to human desire.”

“Right,” Ren said, “but why?”

Morgana sat there for a few seconds. “...Well, I guess it’s because I have no real desires of my own. I was created with the purpose of guiding you. So, I don’t know what it’s like to have any desires of my own. I’m just here to lend a hand whenever I can. You said I’m always thinking about the job. It’s because I don’t have anything but the job to think about.” Ren chuckled. “What?!” Morgana asked, incensed

“Sorry,” Ren apologized. “But we both know that’s not true.”

Morgana was perplexed. “What do you mean?”

“Oh, come on,” Ren said. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed your affection for ‘Lady Ann’.”

“Uh-Well-I” Morgana stammered.

Ren giggled. “It's fine. Relax. People get crushes all the time.”

“Well...yeah...but…” Morgana said. “But I’m not a ‘person’. If I confessed my affection for Lady Ann, there’s no way she’d take me seriously.”

Ren empathized with him in that moment. “Aww, it’s OK,” she said, petting him. “We all have crushes like that from time to time.”

“Yeah, but, even if I find some other girl I like,” Morgana lamented, “they won’t take me seriously either because I’m a cat. Or I’m in the body of a cat. Argh! The point is, I can’t get a significant other no matter how hard I try!”

Ren thought for a moment. “Do you think you would fancy cats romantically?”

“WHAT?” Morgana said. “What kind of question is that?”

“I think it’s fairly reasonable,” Ren said. “If you’re in the body of a cat, why not try wooing a cat?”

Morgana growled. “I get your logic, but I’m not a cat.”

“But you’re not human either,” Ren said.

Morgana pouted. “I guess that’s true. But, I dunno. I...feel human. I know that doesn't make sense.”

“I think it does,” Ren said.

“Really?” Morgana said.

“Yeah” Ren answered. “Being human is complicated, and there’s no one more complicated than you.”

Morgana glared at her. “Very funny.”

“It’s true though,” Ren said. “Believe me, if being a human was easy, then people like Kamoshida wouldn’t exist.”

“I guess that’s a fair point,” Morgana said. “In a way, we’re trying to make people’s lives easier.”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren said.

“Still, trying to find love in this body is impossible” Morgana said, once again dejected.

Ren simply smiled. “It’s human nature to wish for the impossible sometimes. Heck, there’s even a book that says you should wish for six impossible things before breakfast.”

“Huh” Morgana said. “So, do you have any impossible wishes?”

Ren paused for a moment. “Well, despite the fact that I’m talking to a cat, while being chosen to save the world from an emissary of chaos by sneaking into a parallel dimension to steal hearts, yes.”

Morgana smiled. “Would they happen to do with Sumire?”

“I-uh-What?” Ren said, feigning ignorance.

“Don’t think I haven’t noticed either,” Morgana said. “It’s subtle, but you lose some of your usual bravado around her. Plus, you put off the entire operation just for her.”

“Well… I would have done it for anyone” Ren said, nervously. Ren and Morgana looked at each other. “OK, let’s say hypothetically you’re right. What then?”

“Well, it doesn’t matter to me,” Morgana said. “You’re both human at least.”

“Yeah, but we’re also both girls…” Ren said.

Morgana got confused. “So? That shouldn’t matter. Love is love. If you think I’m the type of person to be judgmental, I’m a creation of a powerful being who looks, and sometimes acts, like a cat with a crush on a human. I don’t think I have much room to criticize.”

Ren laughed and then smiled. “You know, you’re better than some humans, Morgana. Maybe you should take pride in that.”

“I guess” Morgana said. “But I’d still like to be one.”

“Are you still sad?” Ren asked.

“Nope!” Morgana responded. “I’m just wishing for the impossible now!”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

Magician-Morgana: Rank 2

“We should really get to bed,” Morgana said.

“Yeah” Ren said as she slid under the covers. She fell asleep soon after.

The next day, Ren and Morgana were out walking around Shibuya Station. “Yo!” Ryuji said, walking up to her. “How’s the job hunt?”

“I just got started,” Ren explained. They continued onward and started looking at some brochures.

“Hey!” Ann shouted. The two turn to her as she rushes to meet them. “How’s it going you two?”

“I think it’s going well,” Ren said.

“Yeah, same,” Ryuji said. He continued to look through the brochures. “Hmmm.”

“So, are you two really just looking for jobs?” Ann asked.

“I guess” Ryuji said.

“Well, that’s part of it,” Ren said. “But I also called you here to debrief.”

“De...brief…?” Ryuji said, confused and embarrassed.

“She means she wants to discuss what happened yesterday, you moron!” Morgana said.

“Oh. Yeah. I knew that” Ryuji said. “Stupid cat.” Morgana hissed at him.

“Oh. I guess that makes sense” Ann said.

“Yeah, I wasn’t sure why you wanted to bring Ann job hunting,” Ryuji said. “She’s already a model.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “Hey, would you want to be a model with me Ren? I think you’d be really good at it. You’re already super cute!”

Renn giggled. “I appreciate the gesture, but I’d rather not have more attention on me than need be.”

“Oh right,” Ann said. “I doubt that the modeling world is a place for someone on parole. It can be brutal at times.”

“You thinking of leaving?” Ryuji asked.

“Well…” Ann replied. “I’m not sure. There are things I enjoy about it, but at the same time… I need to think about it some more.”

“I see,” Ryuji said. “Well, whatever happens, I support you.”

“Thanks,” Ann said, smiling. She turned to Ren. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Well, how do you think yesterday went?” Ren asked.

“How it went?” An said.

“Yeah” Ren reiterated. “Chances are things are only going to get more difficult, so how did you feel about yesterday?”

“Huh” Ryuji said. “Well, I think it went pretty well, all things considered. We managed to steal the treasure while making sure Shiho didn’t kill Kamoshida.”

“Yeah, but we had to fight Shiho” Ren reminded them.

“Well, she did tell us Kamoshida was waiting to ambush us” Ann said. “I feel like we were going to have to fight either her or Kamoshida at that point.”

“Yeah” Ren agreed. “But also, Shiho managed to take over more.”

“Is that what you’re worried about?” Morgana asked. “Like I said, as long as we kept Kamoshida alive, the takeover wouldn’t be complete.”

“Yeah, but we originally planned on alerting Shiho specifically because we wanted to disorient her” Ren reminded them.

“Well, I think it did,” Morgana said. “It just disoriented Kamoshida even more. In fact, I think if we didn’t, we might have had to fight the both of them. Not to mention, we might have had a harder time convincing Kamoshida to confess his crimes.”

“Is that so?” Ren asked. Morgana nodded. Ren smiled. “Thanks.” She paused for a moment. “Ann. Ryuji.” They looked at her. “Are...are you OK with continuing this? I’m only asking because I’m the only one that HAS to do this. I kind of feel like I’m just dragging you along. Especially since it is probably going to get harder.”

Ryuji and Ann looked at each other, then back at Ren. “What are you talking about?” Ann asked. “We’re in this together!”

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. “I’m not one to give up when things get tough. Especially if it’s for a friend!”

“And if things are going to get as tough as you say they are, you’re going to need all the help you can get,” Ann told her.

Ren smiled. “Thanks guys. I...kind of needed that.”

Ann put her arm around Ren. “What are friends for?”

Ryuji did the same on the other side.”Yeah. We’re going to be by your side no matter what!”

Ren started welling up. “Heh heh.”

Ann fished her phone out of her pocket. She reached her hand out to take a selfie of the three of them. “Smile!” she said. She clicked the button. She broke off from the group embrace to check the photo. “Heh.” She sent it to Ren and Ryuji.

When Ren looked at it, she smiled. “This is good.”

“Thanks,” Ann said.

“No kidding” Ryuji added on. “You have a really good eye for this stuff.” Ann slightly blushed.

“Well, now that that’s settled,” Ren said, “I’m going to keep looking through this stuff.”

“You do that,” Ann said. “I think I’m going to go check on Shiho.”

“Oh yeah” Ryuji said. “Do you think we could visit her?”

“Well…” Ann said nervously, “she is still feeling a bit under the weather. I think it’d be best if only I went.”

“Oh” Ryuji said, somewhat disappointed. “Well, keep us updated. When she feels better, I definitely want to say hi.”

“Will do!” Ann said. “Seeya!” She walked off.

“Anyway, let’s continue,” Ryuji said. Ren and Ryuji continued looking through brochures to see if they could find a job they liked. Once they found a few things they linked, they took the brochures and headed back home for the day.

The next day at school, there were some murmurs. Shiho was still home sick from school, but Kamoshida was also nowhere to be found. “I wonder what’s going on?” Ann asked Ren when they met up in the hall during break.

Ms. Kawakami walked up to them. “Oh. Hey.” The two girls turned to face her. “Listen, you're probably going to hear things, so I just want to get out ahead of it. Especially when it comes to you two.”

Ren was confused. “Why us?”

“Well, more so Takamaki-chan” Kawakami said. “I’ve...heard things. I didn’t believe them, of course, but…” She sighed. “I’m sorry.”

Ann sat in silence for a moment. “No. I get it. You were probably just as wrapped up in Kamoshida’s influence as I was…”

“Yeah…” Kawakami said, dejected. “Anyways, I wanted to tell you as well since he called you into his office on your first day here. I don’t know what happened, but it’s evident there’s something between you and him.”

“Nothing really happened,” Ren informed her. “Thanks to Ann here.”

Kawakami was shocked. “Ugh. This whole thing is making my head spin.”

“Are you alright?” Ren asked.

“...Maybe” Kawakami answered. “I’ve had better days.”

“So, what did you want to tell us?” Ann asked.

“Oh, right,” Kawakami said. “Kamoshida said he was taking a leave of absence. He said he needed to reflect a little bit.”

“Huh” Ann said.

“I’m letting you know because you know how rumors are,” Kawakami said. “I just wanted you to know the truth before things get out of hand.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Well, thanks for listening,” Kawakami said. She walked off.

“Huh” Ann said. “I think I’m starting to see Kawakami-sensei in a new light. She seems genuinely concerned about us.”

Ren nodded. “However, it seems like something is troubling her as well.”

“Yeah. I wonder what that could be though” Ann said. “If we knew, we could help.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Anyway, let’s meet up with Ryuji after school and tell him about this.”

After school, they told Ryuji. “No way! For real?! So, you think the change of heart worked?”

“Probably” Morgana said, poking his head out. “But we won’t know for sure for a bit.”

“Aw man!” Ryuji said. “I was kind of hoping he’d confess already.”

“Remember: Patience is a virtue” Ren said.

“Yeah, yeah,” Ryuji said.

The group overheard some voices. “So, Shiho is sick?”

“Yeah. I guess she’s also not moving forward with that plan of hers huh.”

“I guess not.”

“Man, why did we even agree to such a crazy idea?”

“I know, right? There’s no way the staff didn’t hear about this.”

“Hey, wanna just let them know Shiho was planning on doing that? You know, get out ahead of it?”

“What?!” Ren said.

“Those jerks!” Ryuji said.

“Shiho!” Ann said.

Before any of them could do something, a voice screamed at them. “HEY!”

The thieves were shocked. “Was that Mishima?” Ann asked. They went to investigate.

Sure enough, Mishima was staring down a crowd of students. “Don’t pretend you all weren’t in on this! Don’t pretend Shiho was the only one angry enough to do this! Lucky for me, I wasn’t. But I’ve been keeping tabs. For the record, the teachers had no idea that any of this was happening. But if you tell them, then I’m going to have to list you all off as willing participants. So, you have a choice to make: Either keep quiet, or I reveal each and every one of you who was willing to go along with it. What’s it gonna be?” The other students stood there frozen for a bit. They then quietly shuffled off. “That’s what I thought.”

“Woah!” Ryuji said. “Mishima’s really scary.”

“Yeah…” Ann said. “But he really stood up for Shiho.” She walked up to Mishima.

“Oh, Takamaki-chan,” Mishima said, surprised.

“Thanks...for being on Shiho’s side,” she told him.

“Oh. It was nothing” Mishima said. “We’re teammates after all.”

Ren and Ryuji walked over. “Dude…” Ryuji said.

“Oh, Hey Sakamoto. Amamiya” Mishima greeted.

“I’m stunned,” Ren said. “I wasn’t sure you had it in you.”

“Well, what can I say?” Mishima responded. “Hey, if you’re stunned now, just wait until I show you this surprise I’ve been working on.”

Ren was puzzled. “Surprise?”

“What is it?” Ryuji asked.

“Why would I tell you right away? It’s a surprise” Mishima said enthusiastically.

“Well, alright…” Ren said. “I’ll trust you on this.”

“That’s great. See ya later!” Mishima told them. He walked off.

“Man, that Mishima is quite the character” Morgana noted.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “But I don’t think he’s a bad guy.”

“Yeah” Morgana agreed. “Just kind of weird.”

“I thought you weren’t the judgmental type” Ren said, reminding him of their conversation last night.

“Well...uh…” Morgana stammered.

Ren giggled. “Just kidding.” Morgana pouted.

“Well, at least Shiho won’t have to worry so much once she gets back,” Ann said.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “I’m glad for that.”

“Same” Ren added.

Chapter 18: The "U" in "Sumire"

Notes:

Like I said, this story has become easy for me to update. I started this chapter when I was panicking and felt like I needed to write. I know I can't just ignore everything else though. Personal demons aside, I hope you enjoy this chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day after school, Ren was looking through the brochures for jobs that appealed to her. She settled on applying to one that day. She walked out of the classroom. She was on her way out of the building when she saw Sumire standing still looking at the ground. She decided to check on her. “Um, Sumire?”

“Huh?” Sumire said, looking up. “Oh, senpai. How are you?”

“I was just about to ask you the same thing” Ren said. “You seem down. Did something happen?”

“Oh…” Sumire said. “Is it that obvious?” Ren nodded. “I see... “ She sighed. “To be honest, ever since the incident, my coach was telling me I should ‘find myself’. I now realize that that was in reference to me thinking I was Kasumi, but… even after snapping back out of it, she keeps telling me that. And I’m just not sure what to do.”

Ren thought about it. “Well, do you think it’s a problem with your coach?”

“NO WAY!” Sumire protested. “Coach Hiraguchi has been our coach since we were little! Sure she pushes us, but she’s also really kind and understanding. She believes that we can make it, no matter what. And I want to help prove her right.”

Ren nervously chuckled. “OK, OK, so it’s not the coach. Hmmmmm. Well…”

“Well what?” Sumire asked.

Ren looked at Sumire cautiously. “Um, this might be hard for you. Do you think you can handle it?”

Sumire nodded. “I can handle it! ...If it’s from you…”

“Hm. Well,” Ren began, “you probably did lose yourself somewhere. Probably when your sister died. Also, when you were conditioned to believe you were your sister. You’re probably lost in all of that. And I get it. No one would be their best self after all of that. But I think what your coach is getting at is that if you’re not your best self, you can’t be good at gymnastics.”

“Oh…” Sumire said.

“I’m sorry” Ren apologized.

“No, it’s OK,” Sumire said. “I did say you could tell me.”

“So, what do you want to do?” Ren asked.

Sumire stood silent for a moment. “I’m not sure. I don’t know how I can ‘find myself’.”

Ren grinned. “Well, luckily, that's something you don’t need to do alone.”

“Huh?” Sumire said.

“Come on,” Ren said. “Let’s see if we can’t help you figure yourself out.”

“You...You’d do that for me?” Sumire said.

“Of course” Ren responded.

“...Thank you,” Sumire said, blushing. “Oh, but I have practice today…”

“I see…” Ren said, thinking about it. “We, if you do go to practice, wouldn’t it be more of the same?” Sumire looked at her, perplexed. “Meanwhile, if you go out to find yourself, you’d be helping your coach out.”

“I… hadn't thought of it like that,” Sumire said. “You know what? That might be worth a try! Although, I’d have to ask my coach.”

“Do you want me to come along with you?” Ren asked. Sumire hesitated for a bit. She nodded. “Alright then, let’s go. Lead the way.” Sumire nodded again, this time a little more confidently. She started walking, and Ren followed her.

One train ride later, they were at the gym where Sumire usually practices gymnastics.. Coach Hiraguchi greeted her as she walked in with Ren. “Ah, Sumire. Are you ready for practice?”

“Well...uh...here’s the thing…” Sumire said, nervously. “No?” Coach Hiraguchi was confused. “See, I’ve been thinking about what you told me about finding myself, and, well, I...I just might need time to do that. I’m sorry!” She bowed.

Coach Hiraguchi was interested. “Tell me, was that a conclusion you came to yourself?”

“Huh?” Sumire said, looking up. “Oh. Well. No. My friend Amamiya-senpai came up with it…”

Hiraguchi was even more perplexed. She looked at Ren. “Is that her over there?” Sumire nodded. “You haven’t mentioned her before.” Ren looked a little dejected.

“Yes I have!” Sumire said. “She’s the senpai I mentioned earlier! The one who’s been helping me a lot.” Ren cheered up a bit.

“Oh. I thought…” Hiraguchi said. Sumire looked at her, puzzled. Hiraguchi then realized something. “Nevermind.” A stern look returned to her face. “So, what you're asking is for time off to find yourself once again?” Sumire nodded. Hiraguchi sighed. “Well, I can’t let you stop coming here.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“You will need to come to practice at least once a week,” Coach Hiraguchi said. “And you’ll need to practice on your own whenever you can. Just so you don’t lose your form. Aside from that, I am willing to let you go through with this plan.”

Sumire was shocked. “Really?!” 

“Of course,” Hiraguchi said. “...Look, losing Kasumi like that...it was devastating. Especially for you. I understand that these things take time. I want you to be OK with who you are more than anything.”

Sumire smiled. “Thank you Coach,” she said. “And don’t worry. I’ll make sure to come to practice whenever I can!”

Coach Hiraguchi smiled. “I’m glad to hear it.” Sumire and Ren walked out. Coach Hiraguchi’s face turned neutral. “I have to be prepared. In case the person she becomes in the end is one who doesn’t do gymnastics anymore.”

Meanwhile, outside, Sumire was excited. “I can’t believe Coach is letting me do this.”

“You were right,” Ren said. “She’s pretty great.”

“Right? I can’t wait to be back in top form!” Sumire said. “Oh, but first I have to find myself.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “So, do you have any idea how to do that?”

Sumire thought about it. “Hmmm. I don’t know. GAH! Kasumi would know what to do right now!”

Something clicked inside Ren. “I think I’m starting to see the issue,” she said. “Even now you seem to be clinging on to Kasumi.”

“Sorry,” Sumire said. “It’s just...we did everything together. We were twins. It’s hard to let that go…”

“You don’t have to let it go completely,” Ren said. “Nor should you. I’ve never met Kasumi, but she’s really important to who you are. But she can’t be all of who you are.” Ren had an idea. “If you did everything together, what’s something you’ve always wanted to do, but didn’t because Kasumi didn’t want to do it?”

“Huh?” Sumire said. “Well… I’ve never seen a scary movie… Kasumi said we probably shouldn’t. Which is weird, because she was the bolder of the two of us. I thought it would be up her alley.”

“Well then, let’s do that,” Ren said. “There’s a theater on Central Street. Let’s see if they're playing something scary.”

“Great idea!” Sumire said, excited. They headed out. As luck would have it, the theater was playing a scary movie. They bought two tickets and headed in.

During the course of the movie, Ren managed to steel herself to try and make it through the movie. This got noticeably harder after minute 30, as Sumire alternated between looking at the screen and clinging to Ren’s arm out of fear. Ren was concerned, but also her face was flushed red.

After about an hour, Ren gently shook Sumire to get her attention. “Hey” she said. Sumire looked up. “Do you want to leave?” Sumire nodded. “Alright then. Let’s head out.” Ren started to get up. Sumire followed suit, still clinging to Ren’s arm. Ren was still blushing. They carefully left the movie theater.

As they headed outside, Sumire told Ren “I’m sorry Senpai.”

Ren looked at her. “It’s alright. Don’t worry about it.”

Sumire sighed. “I guess the reason Kasumi never wanted to do it was because she knew I couldn’t handle it. Figures. She was always watching over me…” She started to cry tears of sadness, instead of the tears of fear that lingered on Ren’s sleeve.

Ren looked at her sobbing princess. She knew she had to do something. “Well, at least we tried,” Ren said. “And hey, you know what, this was your idea. Completely independent from Kasumi.”

Sumire looked at her senpai who was desperately trying to cheer her up. In a way, that made her feel better. “Thanks,” Sumire said, smiling a little. “Though I don’t want to do that again.”

“Yeah…” Ren said. “Um, if you’re still a little shaken, we can hang out some more.”

Sumie smiled. “I’d like that.”

“OK, so what do you want to do?” Ren asked.

Sumire thought. “Honestly, I just want to relax. Someplace with as little people as possible.”

“I know just the place,” Ren said. “Come on.”

Soon, they arrived at Le Blanc. Sojiro saw Ren, but not Sumire. “So, how’s the job hunt going?”

“Oh, I, uh, put a pin in that,” Ren told him. Sumire followed in.

Sojiro noticed her. “Who’s this?”

“This is Sumire-chan,” Ren said, introducing her. “She’s the friend I told you about. The one who passed out.” Ren realized what she just said. “Uh, sorry…”

“It’s OK Senpai,” Suire said. “I know you were just worried about me.” She turned to Sojiro. “Still, you two must be close for you to tell some shop owner about me.”

Sojiro glared. “I’m not just ‘some shop owner’,” he explained, “I’m taking care of her.” He brewed himself some coffee.

Sumire was confused. “So, this is your dad?”

Ren shook her head. “Not exactly.” Sojiro took a sip of his coffee.

“Oh…” Sumire was struggling. “So, is he...um...your sugar daddy then?” Sumire asked, hesitantly. Sojiro spit his coffee out, as Ren began laughing so hard she fell to the floor.

Sojiro composed himself after nearly choking on his coffee. He looked at Ren and menaced. “Stop that.”

Ren struggled to get back up. “I’m sorry” she said through the laughter. “But THAT was too funny.”

“I’ll take that as a ‘no’ then” Sumire said. “So, what DO you mean when you say you’re taking care of her?”

Sojiro looked at Ren. “Do you want to explain?”

Ren stopped laughing, as she could tell the mood was getting more serious. She looked at Sumire. I knew this would have to happen eventually. “Sumire… There’s something you need to know.”

“What is it?” Sumire asked.

Ren was hesitant. She took a deep breath. “You know how I transferred here?” Sumire nodded. “I used to live in a small town before this. ...About a month ago, I was arrested.” Sumire seemed surprised. “Currently, I‘m on parole. My parents thought that because of how things travel quickly in a small town like mine, it would be difficult for me to live a normal life. So, they sent me out here to try to help. This man, Sojiro, has been taking care of me.”

“Oh. I see” Sumire said.

“...It’s OK if you’re scared of me now,” Ren said.”I understand…”

Sumire rushed in to give Ren a hug, surprising Ren. “I’m not scared,” she said. She looked up to meet Ren’s eyes. “To be honest, I’m a little glad.”

Ren and Sojiro were confused. “Glad?” Sojiro said.

Sumire nodded. “You have all of this to worry about, and yet you’ve been worrying about me. In a way, that makes me glad.” Ren smiled and hugged Sumire back. “But also a little pathetic.” Ren was shocked. She looked at Sojiro.

Sojiro sighed. “If I leave you here alone, can I trust you?” he asked. Ren nodded. “OK.” He began to leave.

“Wait, you’re leaving?” Sumire said.

Sojiro stopped. “It seems like you’re working through something. You don’t need me getting in the way.” He nodded and left.

Sumire looked on. Ren let go. “Here, sit down. Let me make you some coffee.” Sumire sat down at a booth while Ren made them coffee. “What seems to be the issue?”

Sumire sighed. “It’s just I feel so pathetic. You’re taking care of me when you should be taking care of yourself. I feel like such a burden…”

Ren looked at her. “Sumire.” She grabbed her hand, causing them to both blush ever so slightly. “We’re helping each other. If I hadn’t made friends with people like you, or Ann, or Ryuji, I’d be a mess. I’d feel alone and isolated. Like nobody would be my friend. And that I’m truly alone in this messed up world. But because I found you, I know I’m not. We’re in this together.”

Sumire began tearing up. “Thank you Senpai. ...You know, I’m glad to have you as well. And I get it. I felt so alone after Kasumi died. Finding someone like you has helped me a lot.” The two smiled at each other. “So, um, if you don’t mind me asking, what were you arrested for?”

Ren paused for a second. She sighed. “It’s.. complicated…”

“I’m here for you,” Sumire said. 

Ren smiled. She sighed. “What happened was this guy was trying to force this woman into his car. I tried to stop it, but he fell over. He told the police that I hit him and forced the woman to comply.”

“Oh. I’m sorry” Sumire said. “That sounds rough.”

“No kidding,” Ren said. She looked back at Sumire. “But I will say, this has its up-sides as well.” Sumire giggled.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 2

Sojiro walked back in. “Are you doing better?” Sojiro asked.

Sumire looked at him. “Yeah.”

“Good,” Sojiro said. He headed back behind the counter

Sumire whispered to Ren. “Um, does he know you didn’t do it?”

Ren shook her head. “And I’m not sure he’d believe me if I told him.” “He seems nice enough,” Sumire said.

“Well, that’s the thing,” Ren said. “He IS, but…”

Sumire smiled. “Don’t worry. I get it. It can be hard to reach out to people sometimes.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks for understanding.”

Sumire stood up. “Well, I should get going.”

“Do you want help tomorrow?” Ren asked.

Sumire smiled. “It’s OK,” she said. “I heard you were job hunting. I don’t want to keep you from that.”

“Oh” Ren said.

Sumire giggled. “Don’t worry, we can still hang out. But I want to give you a chance to be yourself too.” Ren nodded. “Well, seeya!” She left.

“She has a point,” Sojiro said.

“I know,” Ren said.

“Just making sure” Sojiro responded.

“I should get to bed,” Ren said. She headed upstairs.

“Goodnight” Sojiro said.

“Goodnight” replied Ren.

Notes:

So, I originally wanted to include more in this chapter, but the time spent between Ren and Sumire took longer than expected. Also, I didn't want this to be Faith 2, but again, too much happened for it to not be. I just hope I can space things out enough to make my plans work. Although, typing it out now, I'm already thinking of ways to retool it. So who knows?

Chapter 19: A Thief's Help

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren felt like she had to make today the day she applied for some part-time work. She did promise Sumire after all, and she hates breaking her promises. Still, she wanted to make sure Sumire would be alright. She got out her phone and messaged the thieves.

Ren: Hey, um, would either of you want to check up on Sumire?

Ann: Did something happen?

Ren: Well, nothing bad.

Ryuji: So, what’s up?

Ren: Well, she kind of needs help finding herself.

Ryuji: Huh?

Ren: It’s complicated.

Ann: Well, I can help today.

Ann: I’ve been going to Shiho’s house non-stop since stealing Kamoshida’s treasure.

Ann: She’s been telling me I don’t need to worry about her so much.

Ann: So I guess this gives me a chance to get out of my head on this.

Ryuji: I’ll help out too!

Ann: Well…

Ann: I was kind of hoping to do girl stuff.

Ann: Unless you want to carry bags.

Ryuji: I’m good.

Ryuji: I’ll check on her tomorrow.

Ann: That works fine. I’ve got a shoot then.

Ren: Thanks you guys.

Ren smiled. She was grateful to have friends like hers.

After school, Sumire was walking down the hall when she was approached by Ann. “Hey” Ann said.

Sumire was a little shocked. “Oh, uh, hi, Ann-senpai. You kind of startled me.”

“Oh, sorry about that,” Ann said. 

Sumire smiled. “It’s alright.”

“So, are you doing anything?” Ann asked.

“Oh, um, why do you ask?” Sumire said.

“Well…” Ann said nervously. “Ugh.”

Sumire was curious. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing it’s,” Ann sighed. “Look, Ren asked me to hang out with you.”

“She did?” Sumire said.

“Yeah, and I wasn’t sure how well you’d take that information” Ann said. “I probably just blew it, didn’t I?”

Sumire lightly chuckled. “Not at all. I would appreciate some company.”

“Really?” Ann said.

“Yeah” Sumire nodded.

“Well then, let’s go,” Ann said. The two girls started walking.

Sumire was concerned. “So, um, what did Ren-senpai say to you exactly?”

“Oh!” Ann was shocked. “Well… She told us you needed help finding yourself after everything that happened.”

“Well, she did say she would talk to people about this, and I trust her,” Sumire said. “Wait, ‘us’?”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “Just me Sakamoto. At least, as far as I know.”

“Sakamoto?” Sumire asked.

“Oh. He’s our friend” Ann explained. “I’ve known him since middle school, but we kind of drifted apart. Ren was actually the one who helped us reunite.”

“Oh. I see” Sumire said.

Ann was concerned. “So you don't trust Ren?”

“Huh? No, it’s not that” Sumire said.

“Then what seems to be the problem?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Sumire started. “It’s just, Ren-senpai has a lot to worry about, and she’s doing a lot for others. Making sure I’m OK, reuniting you with your friend. I’m just worried she’s pushing herself too much.”

Ann smiled. “You shouldn’t worry about that.” Sumire looked at her. “That’s just the kind of person she is.”

Sumire was concerned. “Yeah, but… I don’t want her to get in any more trouble.”

“Trouble?” Ann questioned. “What do you mean?”

“Oh!” Sumire said. “Oh no, I messed up. She didn’t tell you. Oh gosh. I had her trust, and I just ruined everything.”

“Sumire! Calm down” Ann said, grasping her. Sumire steadied herself. “It’s OK. You didn’t ruin anything. We don’t have to talk about this, OK?” Sumire nodded. Ann let her go. “Alright, now that that’s settled, let’s go!” They continued walking.

“So, um, where are we going?” Sumire asked.

“Oh! Well, Ren said you need help finding yourself” Ann said. “And what I like to do whenever I feel lost is go shopping!”

“Shopping?” Sumire said.

“Yeah! A new outfit leads to a new outlook!” Ann said. “Or at least, that’s how I see things. Do you want to do something different?”

Sumire shook her head. “This is fine. It’s been a bit since I went shopping anyway.”

The two continued to the underground mall. “This is where I like to do a lot of my shopping,” Ann said.

“Wow,” Sumire said in wonderment. 

“So, where do you wanna start?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Sumire said. She thought for a moment. Then she began welling up.

“Are you OK?” Ann asked, concerned.

“Huh?” Sumire said, looking up. “Oh. Sorry.” She whipped her eyes and sighed. “It’s just… Kasumi and I were twins. So whenever we went shopping, we’d always pick something matching. It just… feels weird to not be doing that now.”

“Oh” Ann said. “I’m sorry.” “No, it’s alright,” Sumire said. “I was going to have to do this eventually. I’m glad I’m not alone for it.”

Ann nodded. “OK then. Just make sure to tell me if you’re ever feeling uncomfortable.”

“OK,” Sumire said.

“Alright! Now, let’s get started!” Ann said. They went through the shops looking at all the different clothes. Ann picked out a few things, while Sumire was hesitant to grab anything off the shelf. “Hey, Sumire-chan?” Ann asked. “Are you doing alright?”

Sumire thought on the question. She sighed. “I’ve always dressed with someone else in mind. Finding out how to dress for myself is proving to be difficult.”

Ann thought of something. “So don’t.”

“Huh?” Sumire said.

“Who says you need to stop dressing for someone else?” Ann said.

“But...Kasumi…” Sumire noted.

“Hold on” Ann said, trying to explain. “I didn’t explain that it had to be for Kasumi. You can dress up for someone else.”

“For… someone else?” Sumire questioned.

“Yeah!” Ann cheered. “If picking an outfit for yourself is too hard, why not try picking an outfit to see what someone else thinks? I do that sometimes. Plus, it’s kind of like moving on. Where you’re dressing up for someone other than Kasumi.”

“I see…” Sumire pondered.

“So, is there anyone you would want to dress up for?”

When Sumire heard the question, her mind instantly jumped to Ren. Her face turned beet red. “Ummmmmmmm…”

Ann giggled. “It’s OK. You don’t have to tell me who it is. But now that it looks like you have your person in mind do you think you can pick out some clothes?” Sumire nodded intensely. “Alright then!”  They continued to shop.

Now, what would I like to convey to Ren-senpai? Sumire thought. Well, I want to tell her that I’m doing fine. I also want her to know that if she ever needs anything, she can come to me.

She picked up a piece of clothing. Hmmm. Ren-senpai seems like the type of person to dress up in dark, muted colors. Instead of matching, maybe I can dress up in lighter tones. That way, I could be her ray of sunshine! Shoot, did I say that out loud? She looked around, sweating bullets. I don’t think I said that out loud. I think I’m good. Sumire picked out some more clothes.

Meanwhile, Ann was looking through some clothes when she came across a navy blue jacket. She picked it up, and it reminded her of Shiho dressed as Napoleon. She stared at it intently. “Um, Ann-senpai?” Sumire said.

Ann turned to her in shock. “Huh? Oh. What’s up?”

Sumire looked at Ann. “Um, are you OK?”

“Huh? Oh. Yeah. Don’t worry about it” Ann said.

“You were worried about me earlier,” Sumire pointed out.

“I guess that’s true…” Ann relented. She shook it off. “I was just looking at this because of my friend.” Sumire was confused. “You know Shiho, right?”

Sumire nodded. “Of course. She helped me when I first came to the school.”

Ann smiled. “And Ren told me you knew about her plan to burn down the school?” Sumire nodded once more. “Well, right now, she’s not feeling well from the stress of everything that happened.”

“Oh” Sumire said, knowing that feeling all too well.

“I was just thinking about how this would look on her,” Ann said. “You know, once she gets back on her feet.”

“Hmmmm” Sumire thought. “I think it would look great on her.”

“Huh? Really?” Ann said, confused.

“Mmhm” Sumire nodded. “It projects an aura of strength. And I get that from Shiho-senpai.”

“Strength?” Ann wondered.

“Yeah” Sumire nodded again. “It’s a reserved strength. It says ‘No matter what happens, I’m still here.’”

Ann thought about what Sumire was saying. Kamoshida practically went out of his way to break Shiho. And yet Shiho steadfastly fought against him until she couldn’t take it, just so that bastard couldn’t have his way. She looked at the jacket once more. “I think I see what you mean.” She smiled. “Maybe I’ll get this for her.”

Sumire smiled. “You’re such a good friend.”

Ann was slightly embarrassed. “Yeah…” She looked next to where the blue jacket was to find a similar red jacket. “Hey, what kind of image does this project for you, Sumire?”

Sumire looked at the red jacket. “Hmmmmm. Well, I do feel a strong presence from it. But it’s a different kind of strength. Like, ‘no matter what, I will be unafraid to be myself.’ To be honest, it kind of reminds me of you a bit, Ann-senpai.”

Ann was surprised. She grasped the red jacket, it’s color reminding her of Carmen. She smiled. “Well, I guess I can’t argue with that. Alright! I’ll get this for myself!” Sumire giggled. The two finished up their purchases and left.

Sumire looked around. “Say, isn’t there a flower shop nearby?” She asked.

“I think so,” Ann said. “Why?”

“Oh, um, well, I was kind of thinking maybe you could get some and give them to Shiho-senpai,” Sumire explained. “You know, as a get well soon kind of thing.”

Ann lightly giggled. “That’s a good idea. Let’s go.”

They walked over to the flower shop. “Hello” said the person working there. “How may I help…” she turned around to reveal herself to be Ren. “...you?”

Ann and Sumire were shocked. Ann cracked and giggled. “So this is where you’re working.”

Ren nodded, slightly embarrassed. “It’s only a part-time thing. The manager’s actually really nice, and flexible about workers coming in.”

“I see,” Ann said. “Well, I’m glad it seems to be working out so far.”

“So...what brings you two here?” Ren asked.

“Oh, we were just doing some shopping nearby, and Sumire thought it would be a good idea to pick up some flowers for Shiho to help her get better,” Ann explained.

“Is that so?” Ren said, looking at Sumire. Sumire blushed. “Well, I am new at this, but I’ll help where I can. Now, what kind of flowers does Shiho like?”

“I’m sorry!” Sumire blurted out.

Ren was confused. “For what?”

“Oh, well, uh…” Sumire said. “I, uh, almost told Ann your circumstances…”

“My circumstances?” Ren said, confused.

“You know… about why you came here…” Sumire iterated.

“Oh!” Ren said, realizing what she meant. “You mean that I got arrested?”

“Senpai!” Sumire said in shock.

“It’s OK, Ann knows,” Ren told her.

“She does?” Sumire wondered

Ren nodded. “As so does Ryuji.”

“Ryuji?” Sumire asked.

“Sakamoto” Ann told her.

“Oh” Sumire said.

“It’s OK,” Ann said. “I understand how you feel.” Sumire cheered up after that. “Now, let’s get back to business!”

Ann made her purchase, and headed out with Sumire. “Have a delightful day” Ren told them as they were leaving.

Ann and Sumire made it to the station. “Well, this is where we’ll be parting ways” Ann said. “I’m going to go deliver these to Shiho right away.”

“Take care,” Sumire said.

Ann paused for a moment. “Before I go, how did you feel about today?”

“Huh?” Sumire asked.

“Well, this was to help you find yourself, but we kind of ended up doing what I wanted,” Ann said. “Was that OK?”

Sumire nodded. “To be honest, it’s helped me a lot. All I ever did before was ballet and hang out with my sister. Dong something new felt exhilarating.”

Ann sighed in relief. “Good.  didn’t want to make things worse for you.”

Sumire chuckled. “It’s OK Ann-senpai.” She sighed. “I have a long way to go. Finding myself after everything that’s happened isn’t going to be easy.” She grew determined. “But with people like you and Ren-senpai helping me out, there’s no way I can lose!”

“That’s the spirit!” Ann cheered. “Well, I’ll see you later!” Ann walked off.

“Bye!” Sumire said.She got on the train and headed home.

The next day after school, Sumire was wandering the halls when Ryuji walked up to her. “Hey, what’s up?” he asked.

“GAH!” Sumire reacted.

“Oh, oh, sorry” Ryuji said. “I didn’t mean to startle you like that.”

Sumire stopped. She wasn’t entirely sure what was going on, but this boy seemed nice enough. “Um, who might you be?” she asked.

“Huh? Oh, right, you probably don’t know me” Ryuji said. “My name is Ryuji Sakamoto. I’m friends with Amamiya and Takamaki.”

“Oh” Sumire said, realizing who this was. “You’re Ren-senpai and Ann-senpai’s friend?”

“Yeah,” Ryuj said. “So, um, do you know why I’m here?”

Sumire nodded. “Ren-senpai is worried about me.”

“From what I’ve been hearing, she’s one of the few” Ryuji said. “Ah, sorry.”

“It’s OK,” Sumire said. “I know how people feel about me.”

“Man, that shit sucks!” Ryuji said. “You didn’t do anything wrong!”

“It’s OK, I’m used to it,” Sumire said.

Ryuji was shocked. “Uh, that ain’t something you should be getting used to.”

“Well, I don’t know how to make it stop…” Sumire lamented.

“Tch. I can think of a few things” Ryuji hissed. “Oh,” he calmed down. He sighed. “Sorry. I need to learn to keep a cooler head.”

Sumire giggled. “It’s alright Ryuji-senpai.”

“It is?” Ryuji wondered.

Sumire nodded. “In fact, you kind of remind me of my sister a little bit.”

“Oh” Ryuji said, dejected. “Maybe I should leave then.”

“No no!” Sumre called out. “I… like that actually.”

“You do?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “Kasumi was always so bold and daring. I was more reserved. I guess I still am. But her guiding hand and carefree attitude is something I like about her. And seeing it in you makes me a little happy. Because it tells me I can still recognize her. I guess that was part of the reason I started thinking I was her. I was so afraid of losing her completely, and I didn’t want to let go.”

“Huh” Ryuji said. “I’m not going to lie. That was a lot. But if it helps, I’m here for it.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Sumire said.

“So, let’s jump back a little bit,” Ryuji said. “It sucks that people have such black and white opinions of you! While we can’t force them to make them think differently, we can do the next best thing!”

“What’s that?” Sumire asked.

“Blow off some steam!” Ryuji said. “C’mon, let’s go.”

“Uh, where are we going?” Sumire asked.

“Oh, right, I guess I should explain,” Ryuji said. “I like to head to the arcade whenever I’ve had enough. Just doing all sorts of things helps me work out my emotions. I haven’t been too much recently, but I think it might be helpful. Oh, but I guess it IS you who’s trying to find themselves, not me. Sorry. We can do whatever you want.”

Sumire laughed. “Sorry. It’s just, Ann-senpai said something similar yesterday.”

“O...K…” Ryuji said, not sure of what that meant.

“It’s fine if we do what you want,” Sumire explained. “I’m willing to try new things in order to figure myself out.”

“Ah. I see” Ryuji said. “Well then, let’s go.” The pair headed to the arcade on Central Street. “Here we are.”

Sumire looked around. She was more or less unfamiliar with arcades such as this. She and Kasumi had gone to one a few times, but she hadn’t been in years. “Wow.”

“So, um, do you have any preferences?” Ryuji asked.

Sumire shook her head. “It’s been a while since I’ve been to an arcade.”

Ryuji smiled. “Well then, allow me to guide you!” Ryuji showed her around to the various different games he liked to play. They played a couple rounds of each before moving on.

Surprisingly, Sumire did find the experience cathartic like Ryuj mentioned. As they were moving on to another one of the games, she turned to him and said “You’re right Ryuji-senpai! This helped blow off a lot of steam.” She noticed Ryuji was acting a little distant. “Is something the matter?” she asked.

“Huh?” Ryuji said, snapping back. “Oh, it’s nothing. We’re here for you today. Don’t worry about it.”

Sumire looked at Ryuji. “Ryuji-senpai… I can’t have fun if I know you’re not having fun.”

“Well, when you put it like that…” Ryuji stated. “Gah!” He kicked the air. “I… just remembered why I haven’t really done one of these game days in a while.”

“Why’s that?” Sumire asked.

Ryuji looked at her and sighed. “It’s because I don’t have anyone to go with,” he explained. Sumire was confused. “Back in middle school, and the early part of my first year, I had friends. I had the track team, and whenever they were busy, I also had Takamaki and Suzui. But then… That bastard Kamoshida took everything from me! He worked Shiho to death, he spread rumors about Ann, and he turned the entire track team against me! I had no one…”

“I’m sorry,” Sumire said.

“Nah, it’s fine,” Ryuji said. “It doesn’t compare to what happened to you.”

Sumire hugged Ryuji. “Don’t think like that,” Sumire said. “Everyone goes through something sometimes. It’s OK to be sad.”

Ryuj looked down at Sumire comforting him. He smiled and hugged her back. “Yeah. I told someone something similar recently. I’m sorry to worry you.”

Sumire giggled. “It’s OK.” The two stopped hugging. “Anyway, shall we continue?”

“Yeah” Ryuji answered. “But first I gotta take…” He paused. He was going to say “Take a leak”, but he thought that might have been too crass for this person he pretty much just met. “...take a trip to the restroom” he finished.

“OK” Sumire said. Ryuji headed to the bathroom. He came back out and saw Sumire being surrounded by two creeps. “Please stop…” she whimpered.

“But you’re just so cute,” one of them said.

“Yeah, it’s not often that we see someone like you here” the other one said.

Ryuji was PISSED. “HEY!” he barked. He charged in. “The Hell do you think you’re doing?!”

The two guys looked at Ryuji. “You with this joker?” one of them said. Sumre nodded.

“Step off!” Ryuji ordered.

“Tch” said the guy. “I’d hate to mess around with you if you’ve got a boyfriend like that. Later.” The two guys walked.

Ryuji was confused. “Huh? But we’re not-”

“It’s OK, Ryuji-senpai,” Sumire said. “Whatever works, right?”

“...I guess” Ryuji said.

“So, wanna continue?” Sumire asked.

Ryuji smiled. “Sure!” They played a few more games.

After they finished, Sumire said “MAN, that was exhilarating.”

“Yeah, no kidding,” Ryuji said, stretching. “I just hope that encounter with those two guys didn’t put you off from coming back.”

“Nah, it’s fine,” Sumire said. “I get a lot of attention like that from ballet.”

“...Again, I don’t think that’s something you should be getting used to,” Ryuji said. “Tell you what, if you make it to the big leagues, you can hire me as your own personal bodyguard.”

Sumire giggled. “How sweet of you. ...Thank you for being there for me though.”

“No problem. What are friends for?” Ryuji said. Sumire got embarrassed. Ryuji felt embarrassed by Sumire’s embarrassment. “Ummmmmmm…”

“Huh? Oh, it’s nothing” Sumire said. “It’s just… it’s been a while since I’ve had friends like you, Ann-senpai, and Ren senpai…”

“Really?” Ryuji said.

Sumire nodded. “Kasumi and I were close, but no one else in our ballet class wanted to be friends with us because we were ‘too good’. And whatever friends we had in elementary school, we lost contact with once we moved on to middle school.”

“Man, that’s so rough, and for no good reason too,” Ryuji said.

Sumire thought of something. “Do you ever think about trying to get back with your friends on the track team?”

Huh?” Ryuji responded. “Well, I’ve thought about it, I doubt they’d forgive me.”

“Well, it’s worth a shot, right?” Sumire said.

“Maybe…” Ryuji said. “Look, the difference between you and me is you didn’t do anything. I punched Kamoshida in the face, and that led to him dissolving the track team. As much as I hate to say it, I’m my own worst enemy sometimes.”

Sumire thought about what Ryuji had said. “I can be my own worst enemy too” she stated, shocking Ryuji. “Alright! I’ll make an attempt!”

“Huh, wha?” said a confused Ryuji.

“I’ll talk to my fellow ballet class members to see if they want to do something like this!” Sumire said, determined as ever.

“Well...OK…” Ryuji said.

“Thanks Ryuji-senpai,” Sumire said.

Ryuji was having trouble keeping up. “Thanks? ...But what did I do?”

Sumire chuckled. “You’ve helped me realize that I shouldn’t feel sorry for myself all the time. I know I’ve spent some time pretending to be Kasumi, but you’ve given me a glimpse of what Kasumi might actually do if she were in my shoes.”

Ryuji was shocked. “Oh. Um, thanks?”

“You don’t need to worry about it too much,” Sumire explained.

“You keep saying I’m like your sister, but I don’t know how true that can actually be” Ryuji said, voicing his concern.

“Well, obviously, there are differences,” Sumire explained, “but the biggest thing is that you’re both unafraid of being who you are.”

“I see,” Ryuji said. “I guess I’ll take that. Anyway, I’m going to go grab something from the convenience store down the street. Wanna come with?”

Sumire laughed. “Sure.” The two of them headed out to the convenience store and picked up their snacks. When they made their way to the counter, a surprise awaited them. “Senpai?”

Ren looked at the two of them in disbelief. “Again?”

“‘Again’?” Ryuji remarked. “Did you come here yesterday too?”

Sumire shook her head. “Yesterday, Ann-senpai and I saw Ren working at a flower shop.”

“Huh” Ryuji said.

“Both jobs come with different perks,” Ren explained. “Besides, they’re both part-time, and both of them are loose with scheduling, so I’m free to do other things.”

“Other things?” Ryuji said. Ren glared at him. “Oh! Right. Other things.”

“Well, it’s nice to see you anyway,” Sumire said. She placed her purchases on the counter. Ren checked her out. Ryuji did the same.

“Have a good day!” Ren said.

“You too,” Ryuji said back.

“Take care!” Sumire told her. They left the store and started for the station.

As they were chowing down on their snacks, Ryuji began to wonder something. “So, um, earlier, you said it was OK that people thought we were dating.” Sumire looked at him and continued chewing. Ryuji continued nervously. “So, well, uh, would you mind if that were actually true to some extent?”

Sumire swallowed her food, then began to answer. “Honestly, you seem like a really sweet guy, but there’s someone I already sort of like.”

“Figures,” Ryuji said, dejected.

“What made you want to ask in the first place?” Sumire asked.

“Well…” Ryuji had to think. “It’s just, dating is a thing people seem to do. I kind of want to try it.” He sighed. “I guess it’s because everything else has been so effed up in my life, having someone who goes beyond friendship might reinstate some level of normalcy.”

“Hmm. I understand” Sumire said.

“You do?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, the returning to normalcy part anyways” Sumire said. “I’ve been stuck in that abnormal fog for a while. I’d do anything to find some way to break out of that.”

“Oh, right,” Ryuji said.

“But I’m still more of the hopeless romantic type,” Sumire explained. “So, I don’t necessarily agree with dating someone just for the sake of it.”

“I getcha,” Ryuji said. “To be honest, I’d like to believe in that stuff too, but it’s hard. I’ve heard stories about my mom and dad dating in high school, and it sounds like a textbook storybook romance. But all I know for sure is that my dad was an asshole who got drunk and beat my mom when things weren't going well. That is, before he left entirely.”

Sumire looked at him. “Well, I’m sorry to hear all of that. Still, I hope it works out and you’ll find someone who’s just right for you.”

Ryuji smiled. “Yeah. And I hope whoever you like likes you back. And if they treat you poorly, I’ll teach them a lesson.”

“If you’re going to do that stuff for free, I don’t see a reason to hire you as a bodyguard” Sumire joked.

“I, uh, well…” Ryuji said, stunned.

“I’m kidding. I’m kidding” Sumire said.

“Oh” Ryuji said. He chuckled. The two finished their snacks and made their way home for the evening.

Notes:

This was a longer chapter than anticipated. Originally, I had wanted to attach this to the previous chapter, but that went long as well. Imagine if both of the chapters were combined. That would probably be the longest chapter of anything I've posted here.

I very much enjoyed writing this chapter though. It was difficult at times, because it also deals with a lot of trauma and overcoming that, and I am not an expert in that. But I like that even though the stated goal was to help Sumire, Sumire was also helping them ever so slightly.

Anyways, a bit of inside baseball for you. There's going to be one more chapter before the confession and celebration. I'm not sure of the confession and celebration will be in the same chapter, but then afterwards is Mementos, which will hold some of the biggest changes I am making. Setting up all the different changes is proving to take longer than expected, but I am excited. I'm writing this down because I like making notes of where I am and where I'm going in terms of story writing.

Having said that, I'm going to probably work on some of my other projects before getting back to this one. As much as I like working on this one, I could use a break. I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 20: A Place to Belong

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren received a message from Sumire.

Sumire: Hey senpai.

Sumire: Um, you don’t have to be with me all the time.

Sumire: It’s not that I don’t want you to!

Sumire: But I sometimes want to figure some things out on my own.

Ren: I understand.

Sumire: Thank you senpai.

Ren left class and was about to head out when Ryuji stopped her. “Hey, uh, could you help me?”

“Of course” she said. “What’s up?”

“Well, uh…” Ryuji said, slightly embarrassed. “Could...could you explain to my teacher how I’m good at math?”

Ren was confused and then tickled pink. “Of course. Let’s go.” The two went to the faculty office. They met up with the math teacher, Ms. Usami.

“Hey Ms. Usami” Ryuji said.

“So, is this the person that says you’re good at math?” she asked. Ryuji nodded. “I see.” She turned to Ren. “Young ma’am, I don’t know why you think that, but I can assure you you’re wrong.”

“No offence, but I know I’m correct,” Ren said. She did have to treat lightly. She was already having troubles with one teacher, and she felt like that one is the only one she could solve via Persona.

“Hm” Ms. Usami scoffed. “We have a saying in math: Prove it.”

Ren nodded. She turned to Ryuji.  “Ryuji, what is 7 x 9 + 3?”

“Uhhhhhhhhh” Ryuji said.

“See?” Ms. Usami said, feeling vindicated.

“Hold on,” Ren said. “Alright, forget that question. Now, I work out once a day for nine weeks, and then three days after these nine weeks. How many days did I work out?”

“Oh, that’s easy,” Ryuji said. “66.”

“What?” Ms. Usami said in shock. “How?”

“Ryuji needs to be able to understand the problems,” Ren explained. “Numbers alone are a bit much for him.”

“But how does he not understand numbers?” Ms. Usami asked.

“That I don’t know the answer to” Ren said. “It’s just who he is.”

Ms. Usami looked at the two of them sterly. “Very well. I shall take this into consideration.” Ren nodded and the two of them left.

“Thanks man… uh, woman…” Ryuji said.

Ren giggled. “It’s fine.”

“So, you wanna train today?” Ryuji asked. “Or are you watching over Sumire-chan again?”

“I’m fine to train,” Ren said. “Sumire messaged me earlier saying that I didn’t need to hover around her.”

“Hmmmm. Well, alright” Ryuji said. “Let’s go get changed and meet in the usual place.” Ren nodded and they headed out. Once they were dressed for the occasion, they made their way to Ryuji’s training spot, only to see that a few other people were there already. “WHAT?!” Ryuji yelled.

One of the students turned to Ryuji. “Oh, it’s you.”

“What are you doing here?” Ryuji asked.

“What does it look like?” the other student said. “We’re training here. In case you forgot, we can’t use the gym anymore.” Ryuji backed down, but was still upset.

“Um, what’s going on?” Ren asked.

“Who’s this?” the student asked. “Is she your girlfriend?”

“What?! No!” Ryuji answered. “She’s just a friend.”

“A friend huh?” the other guy said. “Well, would she still be friends with you if I told her you’re the reason we have to practice out here?”

“Wait, are you former members of the track team?” Ren asked. The others there were surprised.

“She knows. That’s not gonna work” Ryuji said.

“Huh” said the other student. “You managed to find someone who wants to hang out with you. Honestly, good for you.”

“What do you want?” Ryuji asked.

“You know what I want,” the other student said. “And we can’t have it because you punched Kamoshida in the face!”

“Look, I’m sorry,” Ryuji said.

“Why couldn’t you just grin and bear it like everyone else?! Why did you have to go flying off the handle?!” the student asked.

“Cause that’s bullshit!” Ryuji said.

“Maybe, but you didn’t have to drag us down into it!” the student said. “Look, if we ever want to bring the track team back, we have to stay in top form. Meanwhile, I’m not sure why you’re even bothering to train at all.”

“Well, uhhhh” Ryuji could not think of a good lie, but he had enough common sense not to blurt out that he was running with a band of thieves.

Ren jumped in. “I asked him to,” she said. Everyone was confused.

“Uh, yeah” Ryuji said. “She’s a transfer student.”

The former track team was confused. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, uhhhh” Ryuji was stuck again.

“I was on the basketball team at my old school,” Ren said. “However, when I came here, they weren’t accepting new members. I wanted to keep my form up for when I return home, and Ryuji said he’d help me with that.”

The track members looked at them. “Very well. Still, can’t you find your own place to train and stop getting in our way?”

“He’s not-” Ren said, defending Ryuji.

“Fine,” Ryuji said. “Let’s go.” Ryuji turned around. Ren was surprised, but began to follow Ryuji.

“Hold on!” the track team member said. “Before you go, just be careful around him. He might seem nice enough, but one wrong move, and he’ll drag you down to his level.”

Ren smiled. “I think I can handle myself.” She ran and caught up with Ryuji. “So, why are we just giving up?”

Ryuji sighed. “I did kind of screw them over by punching Kamoshida. He dissolved the track team, and now they have nowhere else to go. I thought I should just let them have it. It’s the least I could do after ruining everything for them.”

“Well, that’s awfully nice of you,” Ren said. “Wanna talk about it?”

“Huh? Sure, I guess” Ryuji said. “Let’s go get changed first.” They got changed and met  up. “Wanna go to that ramen place again?”

“I don’t have a preference,” Ren said.

“Well then, let’s go!” Ryuji said. They headed back to the ramen place. “AH! That hits the spot.” Ryuji turned to Ren. “So, uh, before we talk about my stuff, were you really in basketball?”

Ren looked at him, surprised. “Huh? Oh, yeah. I was one of the best players.”

“Man, that has to suck” Ryuji said. “I bet that jerkoff that framed you didn’t care about that.”

“Oh, I was off the team before that,” Ren explained.

“Really?” Ryuji said.

Ren nodded. “They kicked me off.”

Ryuji looked at Ren puzzled. “Why?”

“Personal reasons” Ren explained. “They just didn’t like me after a certain point.”

Ryuji looked disconcerted. “How do you keep up your attitude when faced with so many injustices?”

“Well, I’ll admit it’s hard,” Ren said, “but I can’t not be myself.  Otherwise I’d be living a lie, and the person I’d hate the most would be myself.”

Ryuji smiled. “I getcha!” He grew sad. “But you know you it is hard being yourself when ‘yourself’ isolates everyone else around you.”

Ren looked at Ryuji. “Are you talking to me or you at this point?”

Ryuji clumsily grinned. “Man, you can see through me like a cellphone.”

Ren was confused. “Do you mean cellophane?”

“Yeah… th-that thing” Ryuji said. He sighed. “I thought I had a place to belong on track. But I still acted selfishly. As much as I’ve learned, I don’t know if I can forgive myself until the team does. As much as I hate my piece of shit father, I think I might have inherited his knack for acting on impulse.”

Ren looked at Ryuji, concerned. “Well, I doubt you’re exactly like your father. Here you are moping about throwing one punch at a guy who deserved it. Meanwhile, as I understand it, your father still hasn’t come back to apologize after repeatedly beating your mother, who, as I also understand it, is the salt of the Earth.”

Ryuji smiled. “I know it’s not the approach for everyone, but I do appreciate your bluntness. Hm. Still, I did kinda screw over everyone else because I didn’t want people to know about my home life. I wasn’t honest. And as a team, you need to be able to trust each other.”

Ren seemed hesitant. “Do you think I could trust you with anything?”

Ryuji looked at Ren puzzled. “Are you implying you have another secret?”

“Maybe” Ren said, mischievously.

“Well, I doubt it’s as big as ‘I got arrested’” Ryuji rationalized. “But whenever you’re ready, I’ll be there for you.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks.”

Ryuji smiled. He then frowned. “Say, were you uncomfortable when I was making a pass at you?” Ren raised her eyebrow. “Because I didn’t want to make you uncomfortable!” Ryuji added.

Ren giggled. “You’re fine.”

Ryuji sighed. “That’s a relief…”

Ren looked at Ryuji. “It seems like there’s a little more on your mind.”

“I was talking with Yoshizawa yesterday. I also asked her out” Ryuji explained. Ren was shaken. “She said she had someone she liked already.”

“Oh…” Ren said, slightly disappointed.

Ryuji continued. “She asked me why though, and I explained that everything in my life is so messed up that dating someone might bring something normal to my existence. And then I got to thinking: before joining track, and meeting my first coach, I had no positive, real, male role models in my life. I knew I didn’t want to be like my dad, but the only other guys I could aspire to be like were on TV.

But then when I first joined the track team, I met the coach. He worked us hard, but it was because he knew we could do it. And he didn’t work us as hard as Kamoshida did. He was also really kind too.”

Ryuji slammed his fist on the table. “But then Kamoshida came in and replaced him! I don’t know how a man should act because any man I’ve seen, aside from the original coach, was selfish, resentful, and all around just a bad person. I don’t know what to do.”

Ren saw Ryuji’s concern. “Well, who says you need a man to look up to?” Ryuji looked at her. “You seem to be doing alright now. You don’t want to be your father or Kamoshida. And you’re recognizing your own faults.”

Ryuji smiled. “Maybe you’re right.” He sighed. “I just have trouble sorting my thoughts. It’s a good thing you’re here though. You’re fairly easy to talk to, and it helps me filter it all.”

Ren smiled. “What are friends for?”

Ryuji smirked. “You know, you and my mom are both women, and yet you’re two of the strongest and kindest people I know. Maybe taking a page out of the other side’s playbook isn’t a bad idea.”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren said. “Take it and make it your own!”

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. “I’m going to find some way to make it up to the track team. Oh, but not right away. I’m going to wait for things to simmer down for a bit.”

“That’s fine. Go at your own pace” Ren said.

“My own pace, huh” Ryuji said. “I know I’ve never really been afraid to be myself before, but talking with you makes me feel more confident in my individuality.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Ren said. “The same goes for me too.”

“No problem,” Ryuji said.

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 3

They finished their ramen and then left.

The next day after school, Ren got a call. “Hello, it’s Takemi” said the voice on the other end. “I know you have other obligations as a student, but I would appreciate some help with the medicine.”

“Of course, Dr. Takemi” Ren said. “I’ll be right there.” She hung up.

“Do you want me there?” Morgana said.

“Nah, I think I’ll be fine,” Ren said. “Besides, it could take a while.”

“Very well,” Morgana said. “I’m going to go explore the area.” Ren nodded.

She arrived at Takemi medical clinic. “Ah, you’re here. Welcome.”

“Thank you,” Ren said.

“Now, before we begin, I need you to fill out this patient history chart as accurately as possible,” Takemi said, handing her a form. “When researching a drug’s effects, the slightest details can make a world of difference.” Ren began filling the form out. “By the way, I do mean accurate. I don’t think you’d be the type to, but if you were using illicit substances, I would need to know. I wouldn’t rat you out either.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks... I guess? But I don’t.”

“Good,” Takemi said. “I just want to make sure you’re as comfortable as possible with me.”

“I don’t think you need to worry,” Ren said.

“You’d be surprised,” Takemi said. Ren finished and handed her the form. “Hm. Nothing really stands out.” She smiled. “A test subject like you is invaluable to the world of medicine. Now, let’s get started.”

She grabbed a small plastic cup and handed it to Ren. “This is a prototype of the medicine I’m working on.” Ren looked at it. “Don’t worry. It’s developed enough where it only attacks the infected cells. It just needs some fine tuning here and there. It’s completely safe.”

Ren looked at the medicine. Well, if she says it’s safe. She swallowed the medicine. Ren’s vision started to blur. Soon, she found herself passing out.

A few hours later, she woke up. “Ah, you’re awake,” Takemi said. “How do you feel?”

Ren tried to get her bearings straight. “A little discombobulated, I guess. But also a little refreshed.”

“Hm, seems you might have needed a nap like that” Takemi said, writing what Ren said down. “I kid, of course.” A police officer walks in. Takemi sighed. “What now? I told you, you’re going to need a warrant before you can investigate me.”

“Hm” sneered the officer. “It just so happens we’ve received a report of wrongdoing. I’m going to need to see medical records, and transactions! Bet you couldn’t hide anything, could you?”

Takemi was disinterested with this officer's attitude. “Very well,” Takemi said. She pulled up the information. “Here you go.”

“Huh?” the officer said, looking it over.

“This kid is my only patient today,” Takemi said. “If you needed to see transactions, might it have been for improper billing?”

“I don’t understand,” The cop said.

“My guess is, you’ve been sent on a wild goose chase” Takemi responded.

The cop looked at Ren. “Why ARE you here? You seem fine enough. Are you doing something illegal?”

Ren felt a little nervous, but thought she could use that to her advantage. “Um, well, you see, I recently moved here. I’m worrying about all sorts of things. School. Friends. The future. Dr. Takemi here is doing a check up on me, and giving me medicine to help me relax.”

“She’s right. Teens have it so hard these days” Takemi explained.

“Hm Very well” the officer said. “It appears you’re clear for now, but I know you’re The Plague. You’re bound to mess up sooner or later.” The cop walks out.

Takemi sighed. “Why does this keep happening?”

“The Plague?” Ren asked.

Takemi looked at Ren. “That’s a story for another time. For now, I need to process these results.” Takemi went back to her notes. Ren started to leave. “By the way,” Takemi said, interrupting Ren leaving, “if you’re ever worried about anything, you can come to my office if I’m in.” Ren looked at her puzzled. “I don’t need to know why, but I did notice you tense up when the officer came in. If you’re ever worried about the police going after you, I’ll provide sanctuary for you.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks doc. And I hope my results will help you.”

“They most assuredly will. But thank you” Takemi said.

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 2

Ren left, feeling more relaxed than she had felt in a while. She picked up Morgana and headed back to Leblanc.

Notes:

Like I said earlier, the next chapter is definitely going to be the confession. What else it'll have is a matter of how much I want to put in.

I am liking the two rank up per chapter format I'm developing. I am wondering how you all like the different rank ups. As evidenced, some of them aren't going to receive drastic changes (like Takemi's so far), but I do feel it's important to do. Or at least fun, and I want to do it.

Well regardless, I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 21: A Beacon of Hope

Notes:

Slight warning: There’s a bit near the end where Ren describes her initial experience with Kamoshida. If it’s too much for you, the section you should skip begins with the words “She looked down” and ends after the three paragraphs.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

May 2nd. The day Shiho was going to burn down the school, and with it, all of her fears and insecurities. Yet the three human Phantom Thieves stood in front of the school (with Morgana residing in Ren’s bag). “Yep. It’s still there” Ryuji said.

Ann was a little nervous. Ren took notice. “Are you OK?”

Ann still hesitated. She sighed. “I just thought Kamoshida would have confessed by now. We did all of that, and yet…”

“It’ll happen Lady Ann,” Morgana said from the bag. “I guarantee it.”

Ann smiled slightly. “Thanks Morgana.”

Ryuji looked around and saw something that surprised how. “Is that?”

The two girls looked where Ryuji looked. “Shiho?!” Ann said with surprise.

Shiho timidly walked up to them. “Hey everyone,” she said, quietly. After a period of silence, she just let out an “I’m sorry.”

“Shiho!” Ann said again, tears bursting out of her. She rushed to Shiho and hugged her. “I’m SO glad you’re OK.”

Shiho was surprised. She then smiled and hugged Ann back. “Thank you Ann.” The two of them stopped hugging. Shiho was still nervous, though understandably so. “Well, I guess we should go in.”

“Yeah” Ren nodded, smiling. The four of them headed in.

When they got to class, Morgana made his way into Ren’s desk. “You seem a little more cheerful than you were this morning,” he remarked.

Ren grinned at him. “You’ve noticed. Well, this is just a guess, but if Shiho is well enough to come to school, and her and Kamoshida were linked in the metaverse, I’m thinking we might get our confession today.”

Serendipitously, the announcements came on. “Attention. This is Suguru Kamoshida. I am advising everyone to come to the auditorium for a special announcement. Please. I beg of you.”

As the class murmured on what this could be, Morgana looked at Ren and said “You were saying?”

Ren giggled. “Let’s go.”

Kawakami sighed. “Alright. Settle down. Kamoshida told us about this this morning, so we made time for it. Now please, everyone in a single file line.” The class was restless, but did as Kawakami said, since they figured it was the easiest way to figure out why Kamoshida was calling this meeting.

Soon, the whole school was lined up in the auditorium. Kamoshida was standing at the front of the room. Everyone waited with bated breath, wondering what this proverbial king would say. He approached the mic and began speaking. “I...have been reborn.”

The crowd was more curious. Kamoshida continued. “During my tenure, I was not an adequate instructor. I gave in to my own self-interest, and pushed my distorted desires on the children I was supposed to teach. I’ve overworked my students. Physically abused my students. And” he let out a long, deep sigh, “sexually harassed several female students.”

The students were all in a frenzy. The teachers were unsure of what to do. And Principal Kobayakawa sweated enough bullets to load a chaingun. And yet, Kamoshida went on. “I have done various things to manipulate my students to get what I want. I have pressured them. I have spread rumors. I've even made outright threats. I can no longer live with the sins bearing on my soul.”

Kamoshida got down on his hands and knees. “I am a terrible teacher. A terrible coach. And a terrible person. Please. Someone. Kill me and put me out of my misery.” Soon there was an uproar in the auditorium. Kamoshida not only admitted his crimes, but also begged to be killed. Right there. In front of everyone.

Ren, Ryuji, and Ann were confused and a little outraged. They had ventured into the metaverse to prevent this, and yet he’s just going to give up and die? However, before any of them had a chance to speak, Shiho found her courage. “Don’t run you bastard!” she shouted, gaining the attention of everyone. They all saw the fire in her eyes. “You sent ALL of your students to Hell and back! And yet, we’re all still standing! Because we never gave up! No matter how much you made our lives agony! You have no right to run from this!”

The auditorium remained quiet until Kamoshida chuckled. “You’re right,” he said. “You’re absolutely right. Someone. Call the cops. I’m going to turn myself in and pay for my crimes.”

The crowd was chattering with themselves while the teachers tried to maintain order. There was some noticeable speculation on whether or not this was the doing of the Phantom Thieves who brazenly sent Kamoshida a calling card not too long ago. Some people thought that stealing hearts would be impossible, but others pointed out that no other explanation makes sense for Kamoshida’s sudden change in behavior.

The principal ran up to the target and took the microphone. He was clearly nervous about what just transpired here. “Well, um, in light of what just happened, I’m, um, cancelling classes for the rest of the day while we sort this all out.” There was a noticeable amount of contempt for Kobayakawa from the crowd after he said that. Still, the teachers were organizing efforts to leave, but a few decided to stick around anyways.

Notably, Ren, Ann, and Ryuji. “Man, that was something else” Ryuji commented.

“I’ll say,” Ren said. “I mean, I knew he was going to confess, but I wasn’t expecting it to be a spectacle like that.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “But what really surprised me was Shiho.”

“Yeah” Ryuji agreed. “I mean, I was getting ready to say something like that, but I think it felt more powerful coming from her.”

“Speaking of,” Ren said. She turned in the direction of Shiho. “Let’s go.” The three of them walked over. “Hey,” Ren said, gaining Shiho’s attention. “That was really brave of you.”

“You...think so?” Shiho asked.

“Totally!” Ann answered. “You were AMAZING!”

Shiho smiled and blushed slightly. “Thanks.”

“Takamaki!” some girls called out.

The group turned to the girls. “Oh” Ann said. “What’s up?”

One of the girls began. “We’re so sorry!”

“Yeah, we believed and spread those horrible rumors about you and Kamoshida.”

“We had no idea he was pressuring you to do his bidding.”

“We’re so sorry.”

Ann smiled. “It’s OK. I was also caught up in Kamoshida’s bullshit. I know how hard it can be to see through it all. It’s not your fault.”

“But we treated you so terribly,” one of the girls said.

“How are you so willing to look past that?” the other asked.

“Well…” Ann began. “I realized something. Everything that happened was all Kamoshida’s fault. If I let how he made people think of me get to me, then he’s won. So instead, I’ve decided to not care what people think. I’m going to be myself. And if people don’t like it, then why should I care?”

“Wow” said one of the girls.

“Well, thanks anyway” the other one said. The two walked off.

“That was inspiring,” Ren said.

Ann chuckled. “I learned that from you” she said, giving Ren a light shove.

“Me?” she asked.

Ann nodded. “Yeah. You’re one of the strongest people I know.” Shiho looked at the floor. Everyone else took notice. Ann grabbed Shiho’s hand. “Shiho” Shiho looked up. “You’re also one of the strongest people I know.”

Shiho was shocked. “But...I was…”

“We know,” Ann said. “But it would be hard not to think to do that in your shoes.”

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “I almost went along with it, but something inside me said I shouldn’t.”

“You’re amazing Shiho,” Ann said. “The way you stood up to Kamoshida today. That was amazing.”

“She’s right,” Ren said. “Everyone of us was thinking that, but you summoned the courage to speak out.”

Shiho was stunned. “I guess I did,” she said.

“Shiho. You’re amazing” Ann said. “As your best friend, I’m not going to let you think otherwise.”

Shiho smiled. “Thanks Ann.” She stood silently for a second. “Alright. That’s it.” The three thieves were surprised. “I’m determined to stand on my own two feet. I’m going to bring this school’s volleyball team to nationals.”

“Woah wait, hold on” Ryuji said. “Don’t you think with Kamoshida gone, there might be some problems with that?”

“I don’t care,” Shiho said. “I’m not going to let that stop me. Kamoshida may have dragged the team down, but I will raise it up. I love volleyball, and I am determined to not let Kamoshida take that away from me anymore”

Ren smiled. “Way to go!”

“You can do it Shiho!” Ann cheered.

“Alright! I feel ya” Ryuji added.

There were some sirens blaring. Ann looked around. “We should probably head out.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. He and Ann left.

Ren started to leave, but felt Shiho grabbing her harm. “Wait,” she said. Ren turned to her as Shiho let go. “I know Ann and Ryuji well, but you’re new here. And I feel like I didn’t make a good first impression. And I’ve seen and heard how great of a friend you are to those two. So I want a second chance to make a good first impression.” She reached out her hand. “Friends?”

Ren smiled, shook Shiho’s hand, and said “Friends.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Hope Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 1

“Oh. There you are” Ann said. Ren turned to see Ryuji and Ann walk back up to her.

“Uh, right,” Ryuj said. “There’s something else we need to discuss,” Ryuji said. “The usual place?”

Ren looked at Shiho. “It’s OK. I’ll be fine on my own. Ren smiled, knowing that she actually meant it, and headed off with her gang of thieves.

They all met on the roof. “Well, today sure was something,” Ryuji said.

“You can say that again,” Ann remarked.

Morgana hopped out on the table. “Yeah, but this is all good news. We got Kamoshida to confess, Shiho didn’t burn down the school, and I don’t know if you've heard, but people are already talking about the Phantom Thieves.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Overall, I’ve gotta say today was pretty good.”

“I guess you’re right,” Ryuji said. “So, does that mean we get to hawk the medal?” He began looking up stuff on his phone.

“I guess we should,” Ann said, “but wouldn’t the buyer get a little suspicious?”

“Don’t worry,” Ren said. “I think we have a prospective buyer who won’t ask too many questions.”

“Woah!” Ryuji said. “This thing can get up to 30,000 yen?!”

The thieves were shocked. “Remember that time I loaned you some money and you didn’t pay me back?” Ann asked.

“What?!” Ryuji screeched. “It wasn’t 30,000!”

“Yeah, but with interest…” Ann said.

“That’s bullshit!” Ryuji said.

“...Why don’t we do something with the money as a unit?” Morgana said, trying to cool tensions.

“Oh, I like that!” Ann said. “There’s this buffet I’ve been meaning to try. We can go and celebrate!”

“Alright, now you’re speaking my language!” Ryuji said. “A celebration of the Phantom Thieves by stuffing our faces! I love it!”

Ren grinned. “Well, I guess that’s settled.”

“So, when should we do it?” Ann asked.

“Oh, let’s go on the 5th, Children’s day!” Ryuji said. “It’s the last day of Golden Week, so it’ll be celebratory, non-conspicuous, and it’ll give us a chance to sell the medal.”

“Wow, that’s actually pretty smart of you” Ren remarked.

“Heh heh, I try,” Ryuji said. “So, that’s the plan then.”

“I think so,” Ann said.

“We’re all in agreement there,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “You just leave selling the medal to me.” The four left the rooftop and started heading down. Ren went to one of her jobs early, since she wanted to keep out of Sojiro’s hair. When she got back in the evening, she got a group message.

Ann: I can’t WAIT to try out this place.

Ryuji: You keep talking it up.

Ann: Sorry.

Ann: I’ve been meaning to go with Shiho, but…

Ryuji: Um, do you think she would want to come?

Ann: I already asked. She says she might be ready to go to school, but she needs time to do more things.

Ryuji: Gotcha.

Ryuji: Still, whether we can go depends on whether or not the medal is sold.

Ren: Do you not trust me?

Ryuji: It’s not that.

Ryuji: I’m just not sure I can trust someone willing to buy it off a high schooler.

Ryuji: I mean, 30,000 yen is a lot.

Ann: Especially if you rack up interest.

Ryuji: This again?

Ryuji: Look, I’m sorry I haven’t paid you back yet.

Ren: Why did you borrow money in the first place?

Ann: He REALLY wanted that dolphin.

Ren: Dolphin?

Ryuji: We were on a school field trip to an aquarium.

Ann: He bought a souvenir and didn’t have enough money for the bus back.

Ryuji: I bought it because my mom really wanted it.

Ann: ...Well, if you bought it for your mom, then I guess I can give you a pass this time.

Ann: The next time I lend you money, I expect to be paid back in full.

Ryuji: ...Thanks.

Ren: That’s a lovely story.

Ren: Well, goodnight.

Ryuji: G’night.

Ann: Goodnight.

Ren put her phone away and went to bed.

The next day she was about to leave to sell the medal when Sojiro stopped her. “Hey. Since you’re off, would you mind helping out around the cafe?”

Ren paused. Morgana whispered to her. “It should be alright. You do owe him a little, and we can always sell this tomorrow.” Ren smiled, nodded at Sojiro, and prepared herself to help out. She let Morgana roam around the neighborhood.

As the evening was drawing near, a report about the Kamoshida incident appeared on TV. “Tonight: A former Olympian medalist turned teacher was arrested after admitting to serious abuse and sexual harassment.” The TV cut to interviews with students who said various things on the subject. “While the teacher is now behind bars, there are still some questions that linger. Most notable of which was a calling card sent to Mr. Kamoshida days before he confessed to everything.”

Sojiro looked at the TV. “Hey, isn’t that your school?”

“Huh? Yeah” Ren said.

“Hm” Sojiro said. “Well, it’s a good thing he got arrested before anything happened to you, huh.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Sojiro paused for a moment. “Oh. Son of a BITCH!”

“What?” Ren said.

“He DID try to harass you!” Sojiro 

Ren was surprised. “What makes you say that?”

Sojiro glared. “I could tell by your voice.” He sighed. “Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

Ren steeled herself. “What makes you think I would?”

“I’m your guardian” he answered. “I’m supposed to protect you.”

“Psh. Only for my probation” Ren snarked. “What makes you think I should be able to trust you with this kind of thing? You don’t trust me with your house. You don’t trust me with a key to this place. Hell, you don’t even trust that I’m not a criminal.”

Sojiro glared at her. “Alright. We’re doing this.” Sojiro whipped up some coffee for the two of them. “Sit down.”

Ren was unsure of where this commanding aura was going to lead, but for now she at least trusted Sojiro enough to believe he didn’t mean her harm. She sat down across from him. “What is this then?” she asked.

Sojiro looked at her intently. “I’ve only heard the police report. What’s your side of the story?”

Ren was surprised. Would he believe me? Well, this is my chance. He’s at least willing to listen, so why not? “Some guy was trying to force a woman into his car. I stepped in between them to split them up. He was pretty drunk so he fell over. He then said he was going to sue me for assault.

Some police officers came by, and appeared to recognize him. He coerced the woman he was with to say that I had attacked him. He also asked the officer to leave his name out of it. And that’s how I got arrested.” Ren put her head in her hand. “So the question is do you believe that?”

Sojiro stared at her silently for a few seconds. He sighed. “I’ve known many people like the man you just described. I also have less faith in the system than it might appear. Your story is believable, and I don’t think you would lie to me at this point.”

Sojiro took a sip of his coffee. “So, I believe you when you say you aren’t a criminal. Now, I need you to trust me on a few things. You don’t HAVE to, I’m just asking here.” Ren nodded, sipping her coffee. Sojiro sighed. “I need you to believe me when I tell you that things at my house are complicated. I can’t fully explain why unless it becomes an absolute necessity.

BUT I also need you to believe that I have your best interest in mind. Of course I don’t want you to cause trouble, but I don’t want you to get in trouble either. If you ever get backed into a corner, I want you to know that I’ll be there. What do you say?”

Ren looked at Sojiro. His tone seemed stern, but his expression seemed pained. To Ren, it seemed like he was an authority on what would happen if you had no one to rely on. He was willing to listen to her, and he was willing to help her out in different circumstances since she got here. Just as he believed her, she needed to believe him.

She looked down. “On my first day going to school, Ann and I had met at the same intersection. That man, Mr. Kamoshida, pulled up and invited the two of us in his car. Ann told me it was alright, but I sensed hesitation in her voice. I came along just to make sure everything would be OK.

Afterwards, Ann and I got acquainted, and then I met her friend Shiho. After school, Mr. Kamoshida called me to his office.” Ren began to shake. “He wanted the two of us to get intimate, and he threatened to reveal the fact that I got arrested if I didn’t comply. But before anything could happen, Ann and Shiho found us and helped me escape.”

Ren took off her glasses and cleaned them a little bit. “The whole thing was surprising to say the least. I couldn’t imagine how brazen he could be. And, in all honesty, I felt trapped between a rock and a hard place. I honestly have no clue what I would have done if Ann and Shiho hadn’t rescued me.”

Sojiro looked at her. “If I knew anyone I trusted in prison, I’d pay them to just beat the living shit out of this person.”

Ren was curious. “So, you know people in prison?”

“That’s...not the point right now,” Sojiro said. “The point is, I’m glad you were able to open up with me like that. It couldn’t have been easy, but…”

Ren smiled. “I getchu,” she said.

Sojiro chuckled. “You’re pretty strong. After going through everything you did, you seem to be still standing well on your own.”

“Well, here’s the thing,” Ren said. “I’m not on my own. I have my friends, and I have you.”

Sojiro was surprised. “Eheh. Well, thank you.” Sojiro smiled. “I know that when the time is right, I’ll have you as well. Here” he said, sliding a key towards her. “I had this made yesterday. I was going to give it to you regardless, but I think after our talk, now’s the time to give it to you.”

Ren picked up the key and smiled. “Thanks.”

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 3

Ren finished her coffee, and went upstairs to her bed.

Notes:

Yeah, so I decided to split up the confession and the celebration into two chapters. I don't know why I'm surprised every time that my chapters seem long, especially in this story. I just don't think the two would be manageable in one big chapter. And again, 2 rank ups per chapter seems to be the way to go.

Making Shiho Hope is another thing I'm excited about when it comes to this story. It is one of the new Confidants I have planned for this. By the way, I'm just going to tell you now that not every one of the vengeance seekers (which is what I guess I'm going to call them?) is not going to have a confidant. Shiho just makes sense for me to do. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 22: A Celebration of Those You Can Trust

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next morning with a new sense of understanding, courtesy of her conversation with Sojiro last night. She found herself smiling genuinely about herself. She got dressed and started to head out to sell the treasure.

As she headed downstairs, Sojiiro said “You heading out?”

Ren looked at him. “Yeah. My friends and I are doing something big for the last day of Golden Week, so I need to prepare.”

Sojiro smiled. “Hm. Well, do be careful.” Ren smiled. The bell rang, indicating someone had come in. Ren and Sojiro looked her over. It was a woman in a grey pantsuit. Ren was curious. Sojiro seemed like he knew her. “What’ll it be?”

“Hm” the woman said. “I won’t bother you for coffee right now” she said, matter-of-factly. “Today. I’m here for information.”

Sojiro scowled. “I don’t think I can tell you any more than I have.”

The woman glared. “I don’t need you to tell me anything. I know you have her files.”

Files? Ren thought.

“Psh. Let’s say I did have them. Why would I hand them to you?” Sojiro protested.

“Because I have friends in high places,” the lady answered. “Who knows what would happen with your, let’s say, home situation.”

Sojiro growled. “Did you tell him?”

The woman was confused. “Who?”

“Nevermind,” Sojiro said.

“Sorry” Ren interrupted. “But,um, what’s going on?”

Sojiro calmed down. “It’s...complicated.”

The woman seemed to have taken notice of Ren. “Huh? Oh, yes. I’ve heard about this.” She turned to Sojiro. “You’re taking care of her, right?” Sojiro maintained his facial expression. “I wonder what my friends will think.” She turned back to Ren. “So, tell me, where do you go to school?”

Ren wasn’t sure how to respond. “It’s fine,” Sojiro said. “She’s just after me. She can’t do anything to you.”

Ren was confused, but went ahead. “I go to Shujin.”

“Shujin, huh” the woman said. “Someone I know goes there as well. I’ve been hearing things have been quite intense there recently.”

“Um, yeah” Ren said.

The woman smiled. She looked back at Sojiro. “Well then, I assume you know what to do?”

Sojiro continued to stare. “I need time.”

The woman smiled. “Very well.” She started to leave. “By the way,” she stopped, “I hope this doesn’t mean I can’t come back for a coffee sometime.” She left.

Ren was confused. “So, what was that about?”

Sojiro was still upset. “That woman works for the prosecutor’s office,” he explained. “She’s looking into a case, and thinks that I can help.”

“Well, it sounds like you could,” Ren said.

Sojiro looked at Ren. He sighed. “Look, I know I asked you to trust me. And believe me, I’d like to tell you about what’s going on. But the decision isn’t entirely up to me. So, for now, if you see her again, just be honest with her.”

“Well, how can I lie when I don’t know what I’m lying about?” Ren asked.

“Heh” Sojiro chuckled. “I suppose that’s true.” He smiled. “You go make your preparations. And have a fantastic Golden Week.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you.” She left.

She arrived at Untouchable. The owner looked at her coming through the door. “It’s you again. What do you want.”

Ren looked around cautiously. “Um, I’m looking to sell something.” She placed the medal on the counter.

“Tch” the owner said. “I don’t take obviously fake things.” He looked at it. “Wait a minute…” He picked it up. He looked at Ren. “I don’t know what you’re getting yourself mixed up in, but I’ll play along. I’ll sell this to you but you have to do something for me.”

He took out a bag. “Take this. Don’t look inside. Just take it and go. Return it to me when you get the chance.”

Ren looked at the bag. “Um, OK.”

The owner smiled. “Good. So then, this looks to be about 30,000 yen. How does that sound?”

“Sounds great!” Ren said.

“Hm. Well then, let’s get this settled.” The owner doled out the 30,000. Ren took it, along with the bag. She smiled, nodded, and started to leave.

Suddenly, two detectives came in. A more pushy one said “Alright Mune, where are they?”

“Mune” smiled. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

The detective slammed his hands on the counter. “Don’t play dumb with me!”

“Settle down” the other detective said. “Mune, you know we wouldn’t come here without reason, right?”

“Sure” “Mune” replied. “But that doesn’t mean the reason is good.”

“Grrr” said the first detective.

The other detective glared at him. He then spotted Ren. “Hey, what’s that you got there?”

Ren was confused, but she figured something out quick. “Why do you need to know? I bought it. It’s mine.”

The detectives appeared to be confused. “Heh” “Mune” chuckled. “She’s right. She’s a paying customer. She comes here from time to time. You can check the footage if you want.” The first detective was furious.

“Find” the second one said. “But know this, if you are doing anything unscrupulous, we WILL find out. Let’s go.” The two detectives left.

Ren was about to leave when “Mune” called out to her. “Hey. Thanks.”

Ren smiled at him. “No problem.”

As soon as she left the store, Morgana popped out. “Hey. Why don’t you see what’s in the bag?”

Ren looked at him funny. “I promised not to.”

“Yeah, but aren’t you the least bit curious?” Morgana asked. “Besides, he seems willing to help us. I doubt he’s a bad person.”

Ren sighed. “I can’t believe you’ve talked me into this.” The two of them looked in the bag.

“HOLY SMOKES! Is that a real gun?” Morgana asked.

Ren looked closer. “I don’t think so” she surmised. “But it looks real close.”

“I see…” Morgana said, calming down. “So you think we could get stuff like this for us?”

Ren thought about it. “Well, that would mean telling him I looked in the bag. But then again, he did buy the medal off of us with no questions, and I wouldn’t go to those two detectives to rat him out. So, maybe it’s worth a shot.”

“Alright! We just gotta find a time to go talk to him” Morgana said. Ren nodded, and then headed back. Ren spent the rest of the evening helping around Leblanc.

The next day, Ren headed out to meet up with her teammates. Ann guided them to a luxurious hotel buffet. “Holy moly!” Morgana exclaimed.

“What’d I tell you?” Ann said. “Pretty swanky!”

“It sure is!” Ryuji said, excitedly. “Aw man! I can smell the meats!”

“Well, we don’t have to just smell” Ren reminded them. “I have the cash, so let’s dig in!” The group found a seat.

“Oh, um, who’s going up first?” Ann asked.

Ren smiled. “You guys can. Morgana and I will watch your stuff.”

“Sweet!” Ryuji said. “And don’t worry. We’ll get you a plate.”

“Thanks, but I can get my own food,” Ren said.

“Yeah, and I don’t trust you to know what I like,” Morgana said.

“Ummmm, fish?” Ryuji said.

“...Dammit,” Morgana said.

“Well, no time to waste,” Ann said, getting up from her seat.

“Seeya” Ryuji said, also leaving. A few minutes later, they came back, plates covered in food. “Man, this stuff looks great!

“Totally” Ann chimed in. They both began eating.

Ren looked on. “So, um, would you mind watching my stuff then?”

“Huh? Oh yeah. Sure” Ryuji said.

“He didn’t sound convincing at all,” Morgana noted.

“Well, they’re our friends, so we should trust them,” Ren said. “Besides, it’d be a waste if we didn’t get anything to eat.”

“I guess you’re right,” Morgana said. “Let’s go!” Ren got up and started to get food. While getting food, Ren heard bits of conversations by people who seemingly congregate here often.

They were all talking about the Kamoshida incident. Some of them were saying it makes good TV. Some were saying that Kamoshida should have maybe stayed in his lane more. Some were speculating about the supposed Phantom Thieves that called him out. However, Ren noted that none of them seemed to show sympathy to any of the victims.

She sat back down with her food. Ann noticed something about Ren. “Hey what’s up?” she asked.

“Huh?” Ren said, looking up. “Well, I was just overhearing some conversation. They were talking about the Kamoshida incident, and everyone didn’t seem all too invested in the people he preyed upon.”

Ann was disgusted. “How awful.”

“Tch. I’m not surprised” Ryuji said. “Jerks like that are far too common nowadays.” He pulled out his phone. “But, not for nothing, there are people who have already taken a shining to us.”

Ann and Ren looked at Ryji’s phone. “What’s this?” Ann asked. “‘The Phantom Aficionado Website’?”

“Yeah. It popped up last night,” Ryuji said. “And look! People are already thanking us!”

Ann read one of the comments aloud. “‘The Phantom Thieves helped me stand up to my abusers.’ Huh. I didn’t know we’d have this kind of power.” Ann sat back down. “I know we’re supposed to help Ren fight Eris, but it’s just hitting me now how big this is.”

“Are you OK?” Ren said.

Ann smiled. “Yeah. If we can help people, that’s the icing on the cake!”

“And you really like your icing, huh” Ryuji pointed out.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ann jolted back.

“Well, uh, your plate is like 90% cakes,” Ryuji said.

“Coming from someone whose plate is 100% meat!” Ann retorted. Ren chuckled.

Ryuji looked bitter for a second. He smiled back. “But you do have a point. We’re going to stop chaos from reigning, punish bad people, and inspire others. We have no reason not to continue this!”

Morgana grinned. “That sounds like a call to arms.”

“It is,” Ryuji said. “I want to keep doing this.”

“So do I” Ann said.

Ren smiled, well, if we’re all in agreement, let’s make it official” she said.

“Official?” Ryuji said.

“Yeah” Ren replied. “We were all kind of dragged in by the whole Kamoshida situation, but if we’re going to continue, let’s make this official.”

“Uh, do we gotta sign anything?” Ryuji asked.

“No, silly,” Ren said. “I just want to make a toast and stuff.”

“Oh, well, OK” Ryuji said.

Ren nodded. “So, from today onwards, we are officially The Phantom Thieves of Heart!”

“CHEERS!” they said, raising their glass.

“So, uh, what now?” Ryuji said. “I mean, we gotta continue taking on palaces, right?”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “But who? And how do we find one?”

“Well, that second one just relies on some good old fashioned leg work” Morgana pointed out. “Well, mostly. But the first part is a bit trickier.”

“Well, I think it has to be someone we can all agree upon” Ryuji said.”That way, our conviction can’t be shaken.”

“I like that idea,” Ann said. “It’s like a pact.”

“But yeah, figuring out a target might be a little more tricky” Ren noted. “Still, I don’t think it’s anything we can’t handle.”

Ryuji smiled. “You’re right. When the time comes, we’ll be ready!”

“We’re a team now!” Ann exclaimed. “We can do things if we stick together!”

Ren smiled. “A team, huh.” Everyone else was eating, while Ren looked at her plate solemnly. She found some confidence of her own that she felt was missing. She sighed. “I have something I feel like I need to tell you.”

Everyone else was curious. “What is it?” Ann asked.

Ren took a deep breath. “The truth is… I’m… a lesbian.” Ann and Ryuji were shocked. “I hope you don’t hate me…”

Ann and Ryuji looked at each other. “Is...that it?” Ann asked. Ren nodded.

“Heh. Don’t worry” Ryuji said. “We don’t hate you.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “We’re not like that.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks guys.

“But, and pardon me for asking this, um, do you look at me...you know…?” Ann asked.

Ren grinned. “Well, you ARE cute, but I’m not Kamoshida. I don’t go for ‘anything with a vagina.’” Ann laughed.

Ryuji smiled. “I now understand why you rejected me as well.” Ann was surprised. Ryuji continued. “If you’re not attracted to guys, then I was destined to fail from the beginning.”

“Well that’s true” Ren said. “However, your approach was a little awkward as well.”

“What?!” Ryuji said.

Ren grinned again. “Still, you’re also kind of cute. I bet if you honed it more, that awkward approach might work on someone else.”

Ryuji was confused. “Really?”

“Um, maybe” Ann said, hiding her blushing face.

Ryuji looked at her. “You think so Ann?”

“Uh, yeah” Ann said, regaining her composure. Morgana was quietly seething to himself.

Ren smiled genuinely. “Well I’m glad.” Everyone else looked at her. “I’m glad I have such understanding friends. To be honest, I was worried that being a lesbian with a record would be a surefire recipe for being alone. But ever since I’ve met you guys, I’ve never felt like that. So, thank you.”

They all looked at her. “Are you kidding?” Ryuji said. “You’re one of the kindest, nicest people I know. To Hell with anyone who can’t see that.”

“He’s right,” Ann said. “You’re an amazing person, and I don’t want you to forget that anytime soon.”

“Heh. Well, I’ve always believed in you” Morgana added. “This changes nothing for me.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks everyone.”

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 2

They finished their food and then left. As they were leaving, Ann realized something. “Aw, shoot. I forgot my bag upstairs.”

“Eh, no biggie,” Ryuji said. “At least we’re still in the building. They turned around to head back.

Once they got to the elevator, some guys guarding someone pushed them away, with Ann taking the brunt of it. Ren caught her as she fell. “Step aside,” one of the guys said.

“Hey, what gives?!” Ryuji said. “We were here first!”

“Hm” said the man in the middle of this parade of guards. “Since when did this place become a daycare?” Ren looked up, feeling something familiar in that condescending tone.

“What was that?!” Ryuji hissed.

“Stand back!” one of the guards said. Their group got into the elevator first. 

“Buncha jerks!” Ryuji scowled. “We should be stealing hearts of people like that.” Ann stood back up. Ryuji turned around. “Oh, uh sorry. I got caught up in my own stuff. Are you doing alright?”

“Um, yeah…” Ann said. She turned to Ren. “Thanks.”

“Oh. Right. Don’t mention it” Ren said, distracted.

Ann saw this. “Are you OK? You look a little pale.”

“I’m fine,” Ren said. “I’m just peeved about what just happened.”

“I getcha,” Ryuji said. He sighed. “Well, let’s go get your bag Ann.”

“Right,” Ann said. They called the elevator and went back up. The receptionist handed Ann her bag, and the group headed out.

Later that night, as Ren was sleeping soundly in her bed, she woke up in the Velvet Room. She approached the door to meet Igor and Lavenza. “Well well,” Igor said. “It seems you have toppled the tyrant whose lust knows no bounds. What a marvelous first step.”

“Thank you,” Ren said.

Lavenza spoke up. “It’s only going to get harder from here.”

“I’m aware,” Ren said.

“Still, you’ve been strengthening your bonds,” Igor noted. “It’s good to find people you can trust wholeheartedly. Your strength continues to grow.”

“We continue to root for your success,” Lavenza said. “And we will also continue to help out as well.”

“We just like checking in on your progress,” Igor said. “Saving the world is no easy feat.”

“I understand,” Ren said. “Thank you for your continued support.”

“But of course” Igor said. “It is a luxury we permit to all guests of the Velvet Room. Our time right now is almost up. Before you go, be aware. There are many twists of fate coming your way in the near future. I suggest you prepare adequately.”

“Of course” Ren said.

“Farewell,” Lavenza said. Ren felt herself fade from the Velvet Room.

Notes:

I guess this goes without saying, but pretty much any of the minor stuff (Shopping, Persona fusing, etcetera) are done off-screen after the first mention of it. Just for clarity's sake.

I've also decided to change a few things around to make it make more sense, or to help the process go along easier. This is a dramatic rewrite, but I guess fair warning that there's going t be some minor shifts as well.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 23: Two Awakenings

Notes:

There is A LOT to this chapter.But this is also one of the chapters I've been wanting to do since this story began. I'll talk more once you've read it. But for now, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Saturday, after school, Ann excused herself to use the restroom. Ren decided to wait for her. Suddenly, Mishima walked up to her. “Hey” he said. Ren was curious. He seemed excited. Mishima looked around. He then leaned in to whisper. “So, you, Takamaki, and Sakamoto are the Phantom Thieves, right?”

Ren was surprised. “Well, uh…”

Mishima chuckled. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. In fact, I’m here to help.”

“Ummmmm, K?” Ren said.

Mishima pulled out his phone. “Have you seen this?” he said, showing her his screen. “The Phantom Thief Aficionado website. And you’re looking at its creator.” Ren was incredibly taken aback by this. “What you did was nothing short of amazing. It made me realize that I don’t just want to sit back and let life happen to me. I want to help. So I made this!

The Phantom Thieves save people. But they can’t be everywhere at once. This is where I come in. I help facilitate the public image of the Phantom Thieves as heroes of justice! There might not be a lot of support right now, but just you wait!”

He scrolled around. “And check this out.” He found a section of posts. “Some people are already leaving requests. I’m sure you can work your magic and help those who need help. And don’t worry, I’ll be there every step of the way.”

Ren was impressed. “You seem really invested in this.”

“Heh, well, I do what I do,” Mishima said. He then got a little less playful. “Listen, I don’t know exactly HOW you guys do all of this, but it’s clear you have a lot on your plate. So, let me try and lighten the load.”

Ren took note of Mishima’s understanding nature.He seemed really eager to help out in some way. He truly believed in the Phantom Thieves, much like he truly believed in her when he didn’t go along with Shiho’s plan. She smiled. “Alright then. But as the leader, I’d like to check in on you every so often.”

Mishima grinned. “Done and done.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Moon Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 1

“Well then, till we meet again” Mishima said. He left.

Ryuji and Ann walked up to Ren. Morgana popped out as they came over. “So, what was Mishiman talking to you about?” Ryuji asked.

Ren smiled. “He’s the creator of the Phantom Aficionado site. He knows who we are, and is on our side.”

“What?!” Ryuji said.

“Calm down!” Ann said. “I don’t think he’d expose us.”

“Well, maybe not purposefully,” Ryuji said.

“I don’t think we need to worry about it too much,” Ren said. “But I’ll be checking in with him just to be sure.”

“Well, if you're doing that…” Ryuji said.

“Oh, and look!” Ren said. “His website even has request posts. Maybe we can look into them to find our next target.”

Ryuji smiled. “Alright. Now we’re talking.”

Morgana thought for a moment. “Hey. Can we head to the subway station today? I think I might have something to show you guys.”

“Um, sure?” Ann said.

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“It has something to do with the requests” Morgana said. “If they are what I think they are, then it’ll be important.”

“Man, you’re always so vague. Just spill it already” Ryuji whined.

“It’s...easier to just show you!” Morgana protested.

“Fine,” Ryuji said. “It’s not like I wasn’t gonna do it anyway.”

“So, now that we’re all in agreement, let’s roll!” Ren said. The four of them headed to the station.

Meanwhile, Sumire was at ballet practice. She had begun to open up to some of her classmates a little more, which made her a bit happier. She also felt like she had never been better at ballet. However, after one routine, Coach Hiraguchi’s face told a different story. “Did I do something wrong?” Sumire asked.

“Sumire…” Hiraguchi said in a disappointed tone. “It’s great to see you in higher spirits, but I don’t know how much it’s doing for your ballet.”

Sumire looked despondent. “I am trying. What am I doing wrong?”

“Well…” Hiraguchi said. “You’re not doing anything wrong, per say, but it just feels like you’re sliding back into Kasumi when doing your moves.”

“Ummmm, how is that a bad thing?” Sumire said. “Kasumi was the best. Doing her moves will guarantee our dream of becoming the best to come true.”

“This is what I’m talking about,” Hiraguchi noted. “Kasumi performed her moves with a passion only she could provide. You’re just doing a pale imitation of them. They’re technically impressive, but emotionally, they feel hollow.”

Sumire was shaken. “Coach…”

“I know it’s hard to hear!” Hiraguchi interrupted. “But if you want to make it to the top, you need to perfect YOUR moves. You need to understand that what people want to see is Sumire Yoshizawa as herself.”

Tears began to form in Sumire’s eyes. “But...no one does want that… I’m never good enough. I know you care for me. I know people care for me. But no one is expecting me to make it to the top. They all expected Kasumi. And...and I ruined it. If Kasumi can’t make it to the top, and Sumire can’t make it to the top, then who is going to make it to the top?”

Sumire ran to the locker room. She threw off her leotard with hardly a care. She was too distraught. She put her clothes on, and then ran out the door. Coach Hiraguchi noticed this and tried calling out to her. “SUMIRE!” Sumire didn’t hear her. She kept running through the city, trying to deal with the emotional turmoil of everything.

After running a few blocks, she thought to herself Wait. This is just like what happened last time. She slowed down, and took a deep breath. I don’t want to cause another death. Heh. Even from beyond the grave, Kasumi is saving me.

She looked around. Maybe I just need to clear my head for a bit. I don’t know what I want right now. Maybe I haven’t found as much of myself as I have thought. But where to go? Sumire continued walking. I guess I’ll see where my feet take me.

The Phantom Thieves made their way to the subway station. They began looking through some of the requests on the Phan-site, but none of them felt all too dire. That is, until they found a post about one Natsuhiko Nakanohara; a municipal teller stalking his ex girlfriend. “Ugh. What a creep” Ann noted.

“So, we’re in agreement then?” Ryuji asked. The others nodded. “Alright, now let’s figure out where his palace might be.”

“Hold on,” Morgana said, taking charge. “This is why I brought you here today. Try the word ‘Mementos’.”

“Umm, alright,” Ryuji said. “Mementos.” Suddenly, the world shifted around them. The bustling station was now empty, and Morgana had taken on his Metaverse appearance. “Huh?”

“What’s going on?” Ann asked.

“I figured as much,” Morgana said. “C’mon, let’s head down.” Morgana headed down the platform stairs. The others just shrugged and went with it.

A few moments before, Sumire had made her way to that exact subway station in her stupor. She sighed. “Maybe I should just head back. I haven’t found anything. She glanced up and noticed something across the station from her. “Isn’t that senpai and her friends?”

“Navigating” her phone said.

“Huh?” Sumire noted. She got out her phone. “How come I haven’t noticed this app before?” she asked herself. “It looks strange.” Suddenly, she felt the world change around her. “Huh?” She looked around and saw no one.

Sumire was in disbelief. The once crowded station was now barren. “What’s going on?” She looked around, only to find herself more confused. She looked back and saw that Ren and company were going down a flight of stairs. She looked determined. “Maybe senpai knows what’s up.” She decided to follow them.

Once down the stairs, the thieves were greeted by a few surprises. The platform was there, but instead of rails there was a field of dirt with a bunch of flowers growing in it. They were also in their Phantom Thief attire. “Woah! What’s this?!” Ann asked.

“Is this that Nakanohara guy’s palace?” Ryuji asked. “Why is it here? Why is it a garden?”

“Hold on,” Ren said, remembering this scenery. “This seems familiar.”

“Hm hm hm” Morgana chuckled. “Well, you’re sort of right Skull. But, you’re sort of wrong as well. Mementos is everyone’s palace.”

The thieves were confused. Ryuji sputtered “Everyone’s…”

“...Palace?” Ann finished.

Morgana nodded. “Not everyone has a palace all to themselves. Only those with incredibly distorted desires. Most people’s shadows, you’d just find here. This place is basically the thing that connects all human minds.”

“So, how do we get this guy’s attention?” Ryuji asked.

Morgana grinned. “We already have.” Again, everyone was shocked. “That Phan-site is a useful tool. It can act as a calling card for people without palaces. And, since their desires aren’t as warped, it’ll have a longer effect on them.”

“Huh” Ann said.

“So, we can just go and get that Nakanohara guy now?” Ryuji asked.

Morgana nodded. “Let’s go!”

“But, um, how?” Ren asked. “I mean, this place seems big.”

“Never fear!” Morgana said. He posed. “Morgana transform!” he transformed into a car.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“We can go like this,” Morgana said.

“How can you turn into a car?!” Ann asked.

“Oh, well, uh, you see, it’s a common perception that in fantastical situations, cats can turn into cars. And since we’re basically in the collective unconscious...”

Ren just shrugged. “OK.”

“What? You’re just gonna accept that?!” Ryuji asked.

“Why not? It makes things easier” Ren chuckled.

Ryuji sighed. “Well, we’re already this deep.”

“Yeah, it might be easier to not question things,” Ann added. The three of them got in.

“Um, why aren’t we moving?” Ryuji asked.

“I’m a car!” Morgana said. “Someone needs to drive me!”

“Oh” Ryuji said. “Um, since he’s sort of your cat, do you want to drive him?”

Ren simply said “Sure.” She got into the front seat and took off.

Meanwhile, Sumire managed to make it down the stairs to see Ren, Ann, and Ryuji in strange looking suits getting into a car that looked kind of like a cat and drive off. “Huh. That’s, um… unusual…” Sumire looked around. “This is also unusual.” She looked at the path where the car drove down. “Well, I don’t suppose I’m going to get any answers just standing here.” She hopped off the platform and followed the car on foot.

As they were driving, Ann asked “So, um, not for nothing, but why didn't you do this at the palace Morgana?”

“A big car like this would attract too much attention when we’re trying to sneak around” Morgana answered. “Plus, it was way too narrow to do anything in.

“I guess that’s true,” Ryuji said. “I’m wondering why you didn’t tell us all this ‘bout Mementos beforehand.”

“Well, you know how you reacted when he turned into a car, right?” Ren answered. “Basically that.” Ryuji knew she was right, but didn’t want to say it out loud.

They reached a strange looking portal. “What’s this?” Ann asked.

“I’m sensing a specific shadow there,” Morgana said.

“Nakanhara?” Ryuji asked.

“Most likely,” Morgana said.

“Bring it on,” Ren said. She hit the gas and drove through. On the other side, there was a smaller plot of land. In the middle of it stood Nakanohara. Growing from it was a small thorny vine.

“Let’s get him!” Ann said.

“Hold up,” Ren said. She observed the vine.

“What is it?” Ann asked.

Ren thought some more. She sighed. “In my initial vision, I saw the subway system turn into this garden. That vine… Something feels off about it.”

The other thieves looked at it. “You think it’s protecting him?” Ryuji asked.

Ren stared some more. “No. I think the opposite.” Everyone else was confused. “If Eris is giving people the power to exact revenge on those with palaces, that vine might be the equivalent of that here.”

“You mean that vine is from his ex and it wants to kill him?!” Morgana said.

“Well, that’s my working theory anyways,” Ren said. She smiled. “So, it doesn’t change much. If we steal his heart, that vine can’t destroy him.”

“Alright!” Ruji said. “Now you’re talking!”

“Let’s go!” Ren said. The four of them headed out of the shadows to Nakanohara.

Nakanohara noticed them. “Hm. Are you those so-called Phantom Thieves? I bet you’re here because of what my girlfriend said about me.”

“Don’t you mean your ex-girlfriend?” Ann snapped back.

“SHE’S MINE!” he screamed. “Tch. I don’t even know why you’re here! Why not take on someone who deserves it?! Like Madarame!”

“Madarame?” Morgana said.

Ren struck a pose. “We are the Phantom Thieves. We are on the side of justice. Hence, we shall steal your distorted desires.”

“Yeah! You can’t just act like a creep because other people are worse!” Ryuji added.

“Grrrrr” Nakanohara. “GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!” he transformed into a shadow that could not be reasoned with any longer. “SHE’S MINE! MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE! I WON’T LET ANYONE ELSE HAVE HER!”

“Let’s go!” Ren said. The thieves fought Nakanohara’s shadow, and won.

After that, Nakanohara reverted back to himself. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I just-” he sighed. “I lost everything to Madarame. I had hopes and dreams, but he took them all away. I had to settle to be a teller. So, when my girlfriend left me, it just opened up old wounds.”

“That’s no excuse for stalking!” Ann said.

“Heh. You’re right” Nakanohara said. “I’ll apologize and leave her alone. But please. Steal Madarame’s heart.” Nakanohara vanished and a small treasure appeared. Ren grabbed it. She looked down and noticed the thorny vine had also disappeared.

“So, we did it,” Ryuji said. “Let’s go.”

“Hold on!” Morgana said. “There’s something else we need to do.”

“For real?” Ryuji said. “Well, if you say so.”

“Yeah, you’re the expert Mona!” Ann said.

Morgana blushed. “Thanks Panther.” He turned back into a car. They drove back to Mementos proper.

“Huh?” Ren said, looking back. “That portal closed behind us.”

“Well, we stole Nakanohara’s heart,” Morgana said. “It has no reason to exist anymore.”

“I guess that’s true,” Ren said. “Alright then, what’s next.

“Find another platform” Morgana said. “Not the one we came from.”

“Alrighty then,” Ren said. She drove off, exploring Mementos for a little while until coming to another platform. “More stairs?”

“Yeah,” Morgana said. “Mementos isn’t just a one floor structure. It keeps going.”

“How deep?” Ryuji said.

“That I don’t know,” Morgana said. “But I know at the bottom is the source of all of this...probably.”

“So, that’s where Eris lives, I presume?” Ann asked.

“I’d think so,” Morgana answered. “Anyways, let’s head down.” They got out and headed down the stairs.

Meanwhile, Sumire was still trying to find Ren. “Man, this place is confusing.” She kept walking. Unbeknownst to her, a large thorny vine was following her.

On this new floor, it was just a straight path to a strange looking door. “What’s this?” Ann asked. Ren felt like the door was calling to her somehow. She walked over. “Hey, wait!” Ann said, trying to stop her.

Ren placed her hand on the door. The door then opened up. “Woah” Ryuji said.

Ren looked at her hand. “Huh.”

Morgana smiled. “I knew you could do it!”

The three teens looked at him. “Um, do what?” Ryuji asked.

“That door's been locked for the longest time,” Morgana said. “But now, we can open it.”

“Um, do you know why it’s been locked?” Ann asked.

“I’m thinking it’s a power thing,” Morgana said. “I was originally exploring Mementos, but I hit this dead end. So, I met up with the two of you in Kamoshida’s Palace to try and gain power by stealing his treasure.”

“Hmmmm” Ren said. “I don’t know if that’s entirely correct.”

“How so?” Morgana asked, confused.

“Well, you’re right that we needed more power,” Ren began, “but it might not be raw power. This place is basically the collective human unconscious, right?” Morgana nodded. “So, I’m thinking the power needed is the power to make an impact on this unconscious.”

“Ohhhhhhh” Morgana said.

“Wait, how’d we do that?” Ryuji asked.

Ren grinned. “We stole Kamoshida’s heart. People are talking about the Phantom Thieves now. We’re not nothing to the public anymore.”

Ryuji was dumbfounded. “I guess that makes sense.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Ann said. “In order to progress through Mementos, we need to keep making an impact by stealing more hearts from people with palaces.”

“Seems like it,” Ren said.

“Well then let’s do just that!” Ann said.

“Of course” Ren said.

“Hmmm” Morgana said.

“What’s up Mona?” Ann asked.

“Nakanohara gave us a name,” Morgana reminded them. “Madarame. I think that’s worth looking into.”

“Hm. You may be right” Ren said. “It could be our next big break.” Ren looked at the recently opened door. “Wanna continue, or should we call it here?”

“Well, we’ve learned a lot,” Ryuji said. “It might be better to collect ourselves for the time being.”

“You have a point Skull,” Ren said. “OK, let’s head back for now.”

“Right, but remember,” Morgana began saying, “ we need to make occasional trips here to deal with shadows like Nakanohara’s.”

“Right,” Ren said. They headed back up the stairs. Morgana turned back into a car and they were on their way back.

“Hey, this looks different,” Ann said.

“That’s because Mementos is always changing,” Morgana said. “Because so many people are influencing it, no two visits will be the same.”

“Huh” Ann said. They continued to drive. On their way to finding the platform that will take them up, Ann spotted something. “OVER THERE!”

The others looked. They saw a small boy next to a tipped over car that was on fire. Ren turned the car to meet with this mysterious boy. She got out.

“Oh, hello” The boy said. He was wearing a white coat with star patterns on it, with matching boots, black pants, and wearing a pair of goggles.

“Hello,” Ren said. “Um, who might you be?”

“Oh. I guess that’s the human thing to do” the boy said. “My name is Jose.”

“Wait. ‘Human thing to do’?” Ryuji asked.

“Does that mean?” Ann asked.

Jose nodded. “I am not a human.

“You look like one,” Morgana said, pouting a little.

“While that might be true, I’m just a dweller of this universe created to study humans here in Mementos” Jose explained. “Or, at least I was.”

“Was?” Ren asked.

Jose nodded. “These weird, plant-like things sensed my presence and destroyed my car. I guess they didn’t like that I was trying to drink them.”

“Drink...plants…” Ryuji said. “Alright, I’m officially giving up trying to understand things.”

“Don’t worry, we’re all mad here,” Ren said.

“The plants I’m trying to drink are the essence of humanity” Jose explained. “Well, before they were tainted by this garden of madness.”

“So, why study humanity?” Ann asked.

“I was asked to by my creator,” Jose said. “He wanted to know what I thought humans were like.”

“Why couldn’t he just do it?” Ryuji asked.

“It’s complicated,” Jose explained. “But now I can’t do it, My car is destroyed, and those shadow things keep attacking me. But I can’t go back to him empty-handed.”

Ren felt sorry for him. She smiled. “Hey Jose,” she said. Jose looked up. “Wanna come with us? I’m sure you can learn a  thing or two about humanity by studying us actual humans.”

Jose smiled. “I’d like that ma’am.”

“NO!” screamed a voice. The group turned toward the source to see a cabal of shadows. “Humanity will be brought to its knees by chaos. We won’t let this interloper interfere!”

“Bring it on!” Ryuji said. The Phantom Thieves put themselves between Jose and the shadows and began fighting.

Jose looked on. “These shadows. They want to stop me. But these humans. They wish to aid me? Those shadows are trying to force their beliefs by stopping me, while these humans wish to help. If humanity really will descend into chaos, why aren’t these humans allowing it?”

He looked on to see the Phantom Thieves fighting. He got a determined look. “If you humans are so willing to help me find the truth about humanity, then these shadows are wrong!” he yelled.

“Well done” said a voice in Jose’s head. He started to struggle. “Stand up to those who would hide the truth from you. They proclaim truth, but in reality are pushing lies. Are you ready to seek the truth? Are you ready to spread it, even if people aren’t willing to listen?”

“...Yes...of course…” Jose answered.

“Hm hm hm” the voice continued. “Very well. I am thou. Thou art I. Call upon my power to bring the light of the truth to the world!”

Jose gripped his goggles and tore them off his face, blood flowing from the tear. “Galileo!” he called. Suddenly, his persona appeared behind him. Galileo looked like a balding man with a beard, wearing a black cloak and black pants, with a white collar. He had a telescope in one hand, and a book in the other. Nothing really changed about Jose’s outward appearance though.

“Holy shit!” Ryuji said.

Ren smiled. “Looks like he’s one of us” she said.

Jose looked angry. “Let me join in.”

“You got it!” Ren said. Jose rushed in to help defeat the shadows with his new persona along with his weapons of choice: A hammer, and a sniper rifle.

After the fight, Jose was breathing heavily. “WOO!” he exclaimed. “That felt great.”

“You’re pretty good Jose,” Ann said.

“For real,” Ryuji said.

“It’ll be nice to have you on the team,” Ren said.

Morgana stared at him. “Yeah, he’ll be fine.”

“Aww, are you jealous?” Ren asked. “Don’t worry, you’re still important to the team. But we need all the help we can get.”

“I guess that’s true,” Morgana relented.

“Thanks,” Jose said. “But, who are you guys anyway?”

The four of them were shocked. “Oh, right, well…” Ren said.

“AHHHHHHHHH!” someone screamed.

“What was that?” Ryuji asked.

“It sounded like someone screaming” Ann pointed out.

Ren went pale. No way. Could it be? She ran off in the direction of it. Everyone else followed suit. When Ren got there, she came face-to-face with what she feared it was. “SUMIRE!” she called out. Sumire was being tied up by vines and was about to be enveloped by this plant-like thing.

The other thieves were just as surprised by this sight, as was Jose. However, Jose noticed something else. “HEY!” he called, pointing to Eris. The thieves’s attention was now on her. “You’re the person controlling these plants, right? You destroyed my car!”

“She did this?” Ann said.

“Grrr. Why do you always have to cause so many problems?!” Ryuji howled.

“We should just stop you right now!” Morgana added.

“Hehehehehehe” Eris snickered. “You can only open one door. What chance do you have against me?”

“LET HER GO!” Ren demanded.

“What? You mean her?” Eris said, pointing to Sumire. “No can do.” She laughed. Ren tried to run to save her, but some shadows stopped her. “You don’t get it. Unlike you, she’s not here to save anyone. She’s here to bury herself in the depths of Mementos with me.”

“Bullshit!” Ryuji said.

“Yeah! She’s not just something for you to claim!” Ann said.

“Oh, but she’s always been mine,” Eris said. “I’m the only one who will accept her.”

“That’s not true!” Morgana protested. “We accept her!”

“Really?” Eris said. “Well, maybe for now. But what will happen when I show you this?!” A giant flower grew and blossomed. It presented a large screen. Appearing on it, a girl who looked like Sumire with brown hair in a ponytail, and a mole on her face.

“Oh no,” Sumire said.

“Today was brutal, huh?” Kasumi said on the screen. She looked at the camera. “Feeling OK?”

The camera shook its head. “It’s not that,” Sumire said in the video, who is now revealed to be the camera. They keep walking. “Why am I doing so bad?”

Kasumi looked at her sister. “Your growth spurt has just changed your eye level. See, you’re as tall as me now.”

“We practice the same amount,” Sumire said. “But you’re the one that’s always getting first place.”

“You know why?” Kasumi asked. “Because it’s my right as the elder sister.”

“We’re in the same grade though,” Sumire pointed out.

“Aw, don’t be so down,” Kasumi said. “We’ll reach the top of the world together. That’s our dream, right?”

“You don’t get it” Sumire said, sadness in her voice. “You’ll never understand how I feel.” She started to run. We can hear her thinking. Kasumi...if I were like you...things would be so much better.

“Hey! Wait up!” Kasumi cried out.

Kasumi’s the one people want.

“Look where you’re going, the light’s red! Hey!”

The talented one who CAN reach the top of the world.

“Sumire! Stop! Listen to me! SUMIRE!” Sumire felt a push, as Kasumi shoved her. She heard a car pull up.

After Sumire had gotten up from the shove, the next thing she saw was Kasumi dead in the middle of the road. “Kasumi?”

It is there that the video ends. Everyone was in shock. “That’s right,” Eris said. “She killed her own sister by attempting to die. What a truly horrible thing to do. She really is a monster, destined to join the shadows down here forever.”

Sumire was crying. “She’s right,” she muttered. “After what I did to Kasumi...after taking her from this world...I can’t...I can’t…I can’t forgive myself.”

There was silence. Sumire was slowly sinking into the plant, resigned to become the monster she thought she was. “NO!” Ren shouted, surprising everyone. Sumire looked up. “You are NOT a monster! You are NOT horrible! You are Sumire Yoshizawa! You are kind! Gracious! Welcoming! And I will do everything to help you see that! PERSONA!” Ren summoned her persona and started fighting the shadows.

“Pathetic,” Eris said.

“You're the one that’s pathetic, Eris!” Ann shouted. “Preying on people’s emotions to get what you want! It’s disgusting!” She joined the fight. “And I won’t let you do it to one of the sweetest people I’ve met! Sumire! Don’t give in!”

Sumire was stunned. “But..but I-”

“No you didn’t!” Ryuji chimed in. He started fighting too. “It ain’t your fault the situation turned out shitty! You’re not worthless! You mean something!”

“He’s right!” Morgana added. “You have more power than you think you have!” He started to fight. “You just need to channel it!”

Jose was fighting some shadows already. “From my limited observations, these humans fight for what they believe in. And they believe in you. You must be something special if they’re willing to fight like this.”

“SUMIRE!” Ren said. “You said that you’d be able to handle anything hard if it was from me, right?! Well here’s something hard! Kasumi died saving you! She did that because she believed you were worth saving! Is this any way to honor her?!” Sumire was shocked.

Ren went on. “If she felt like giving her life to save you, then so will I! SUMIRE! I’LL FIGHT FOR YOU TILL THE END!” The group kept on fighting the shadows.

“My my” Eris said. “They just can’t accept the way things are, can they?”

Sumire looked on, as her new friends risked everything for her. The inspiring words they said. The bitter fact that Ren was right. Kasumi did sacrifice her life for her’s. “...everyone…”

“Hm?” Eris said, looking at her. “You can’t really believe that, can you?” she asked. “You’re a pathetic weakling. You’ve always been pathetic. And you always will be!”

“SHUT UP!” Sumire shouted, gaining the attention of everyone. “I’m THROUGH being weak. I’m THROUGH running away! I’m THROUGH needing others to save me! Senpai! Everyone! They have their own demons to fight! And yet, they continually help me fight mine!

Well. This is no longer going to be a one way street! From now on, I’ll help them too! Because that’s what I do! Because I am Sumire Yoshizawa! And I will NOT let my sister’s gifts go wasted!”

“My, what a forceful person” A voice in Sumire’s head rang out. Sumire started to struggle under the wraps of the vines. “But if you are here, then all is good. Only go for success. Your sister will always stay in your heart.”

One of Sumire’s hands broke out of the vine. The voice continued. “She is grateful you have not accepted a life of cinders. That you now strive towards splendor. One question remains. Will you fill these shoes and dance with me?”

“Yes,” Sumire said, a mask appearing on her face.

“Then we shall dance to the end. I am thou. Thou art I. Accept this contract. This spell I cast upon you.”

With one swift motion, Sumire ripped off her mask, leaving blood spattered on her face.”CENDRILLON!” she called. The energy of her summoning her persona forced her out of the plant. When she landed, she found that she was dressed in a leotard, a coat with three flaps, stockings, heels, a belt with a violet on it, and her hair was tied back in a ponytail with a black ribbon. Sumire quickly jumped in to fight the shadows.

Eris was growling. “FINE! You can have her! But know this. I will always be watching. Waiting. And the moment any of you have doubts, I’ll be there.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Ryuji said. “Like it matters what you say at this point.”

“You laugh now!” Eris continued. “But once humanity has embraced chaos, they will evolve! Beyond the need for suffering! Beyond the need for hate! Beyond the need for saviors like you!” Eris vanished.

Ryuji wanted to try and chase her, but Ann stopped him. “Let’s fight this fight first!” she pointed out. Ryuji nodded. With all six of them, the shadows went down.

Sumire was breathing heavily. “We did it! I did it! We won! I won!” She passed out.

“Sumire!” Ren shouted. She ran to catch Sumire as she fell.

“Let’s get out of here!” Morgana said. He transformed back into a car. Ryuji got in. Ren handed Sumire to him. She went around to take the driver’s seat.

Ann stepped in. She turned to Jose. “Hey!” she called, reaching her hand out. “Wanna come with us?”

Jose smiled. “Sure. You’re an interesting bunch. I feel like I will learn a lot from you.” Jose took Ann’s hand, and the both went in together. Ren began to drive to find the exit to Mementos.

They reached the platform. Everyone left, and Ren took Sumire back. Morgana transformed back, and they all headed up the stairs. They used the app to leave Mementos and appear back at the subway station.

When Sumire came to, she was staring at Ren’s eyes. “Senpai,” she said. She gave Ren a little hug. Ren got slightly embarrassed.

“Ahem,” Ren said. “How are you feeling?”

“Well…” Sumire said. “Right now, that seems like a loaded question. I’m feeling all sorts of things.” She looked back at Ren. “But I’m glad you found me when you did. I’m glad you’re here.”

Ren’s face was now as red as a ripe tomato. She looked at Sumire. “I’m glad you’re here too, Sumire.”

“SUMIRE!” Coach Hiraguchi called out.

Sumire looked up. “Coach?” She got up to see her coach had come looking for her.

Hiraguchi found her. “Sumire!” She ran over. “I was looking all over for you. I was worried.”

“I’m sorry,” Sumire said. “I guess I’m not as over everything as I thought.”

“And that’s fine,” Hiraguchi said, placing her hands on Sumire’s shoulders. “No one’s expecting you to be fine after what happened.” Hiraguchi gave her a hug. “I just don’t want anything bad happening to you.”

Sumire was awed. She gave her a hug back. “Coach. Thank you.”

The two ended their hug. Hiraguchi turned to Ren. “You’re Amamiya, right?” Ren nodded. “You found Sumire then?”

Ren nodded again. “Yeah. She was wandering about when I came across her. She explained to me some of her problems, and then I helped her work out some things. She passed out, feeling exhausted.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “Well, I can certainly see why Sumire has taken a liking to you.”

“Coach!” Sumire said, her face now turning red.

Hiraguchi smiled. She checked her phone. “It’s getting late. If it’s alright with you, I can take you home, Sumire.”

“Oh” Sumire said. “That’s fine.” She waved at Ren. “Seeya, senpai!” She and Hiraguchi walked off. Ren waved back. She then got out her phone and texted her.

Ren: Hey. If you wanna talk about all that stuff about Personas and stuff, meet me tomorrow at Leblanc.

Sumire: Wait.

Sumire: That was real.

Sumire: I thought that was a dream I was having.

Ren: Nope.

Ren: It’s real.

Ren: Believe me.

Sumire: …

Sumire: Well, I guess it would be helpful to understand it all.

Sumire: Alright, I’ll come over.

Ren: Thanks.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren: And get some rest.

Sumire: I will.

Sumire: Thanks.

Ryuji, Ann, and Jose walked up. “Well, we should probably head back too,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “But what about Jose?”

They looked at him. “Yeah, you’re right,” Ryuji said. “We can’t just leave him alone.”

“Maybe we could,” Morgana said, riding in Ren’s bag. Ren rolled her eyes.

“Actually, Mr. Kitty is right,” Jose said. The thieves looked at him, surprised. “Don’t worry about me for now. I can figure something out.”

“...Well, if you say so,” Ann said. Morgana groaned. 

Ren smiled. “Hey. Jose. Wanna come over to my place tomorrow to discuss everything?”

“Sure,” Jose said. “If you tell me where you live.”

“Oh. Right. I live at a place called Leblanc” Ren said. “If you ask, I’m sure you can find it.”

“Noted,” Jose said. “Oh, before I leave, what are your names?”

The thieves were surprised. In all the hubbub, they didn’t mention them. “Well, my name is Ren. This is Ann.”

“Hello.”

“This is Ryuji.”

“Sup.”

“And Mr. Kitty here is Morgana.” Morgana pouted. “Don’t mind him,” Ren added. “He’s just going through some things.”

“I see” Jose. “And Sumire was that girl from before, correct?” Ren nodded. “Thank you. I’ll be sure to stop by then.” Jose walked off.

“Boy, I’m exhausted,” Ryuji said.

“Same,” Ann said. “I can’t wait to get home and relax in a bath.”

“I’m just gonna chow down on meat and then watch anime till I pass out” Ryuji said.

“Sounds fun,” Ren said. “I might do both of those.” They all walked off. Ren went to a public bath not too far from Leblanc and enjoyed some leisure time to herself, as Morgana waited outside.

Once she finished, she headed for Leblanc. She used her key to open the door. She noticed Sojiro wasn’t there. “Hm.” She began making food for her when a thought occurred to her. Wait…

She remembered what Eris said. “You laugh now! But once humanity has embraced chaos, they will evolve! Beyond the need for suffering! Beyond the need for hate! Beyond the need for saviors like you!”

But didn’t those shadows that attacked Jose say…?

“Humanity will be brought to its knees by chaos. We won’t let this interloper interfere!”

Hm. Well, we’re meeting tomorrow. I don’t need to think about this today. I’m too tired. She finished cooking. She went upstairs with her food, changed into her pajamas, turned on the TV, and ate. Once she was finished eating, she continued watching TV until she fell asleep.

Notes:

With this, I think we have most of the biggest changes set. People are taking over palaces to kill their rulers. Mementos is now a garden. Sumire joins the party earlier. And Jose is now a party member. There's one or two more changes coming (depending on how you look at it), and I will tell you now, one of them will feel like I'm omitting something, but I'm actually making a deliberate change.

Boy this was a lot to cram in, but I loved it. My heart is still racing. I did get the exact script for Kasumi's death because that felt too important/distasteful to not do that. I also combined the first and second awakening for Cendrillon.

I don't know if I could have split this up either. This is all happening on their first trip to Mementos, so I felt like all of that had to go together. That's my reasoning anyway.

Either way, things are heating up. I hope you enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy.

Chapter 24: Blooming Heroes

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Sunday, Ren was sitting in a booth working on some school work. Sojiro looked at her. “Whatchu up to?” he asked.

“I’m waiting for some friends,” Ren said. “Midterms are coming up, so I figure I’d better study a little.”

Sojiro smiled. “Well it’s nice to see you’re finding a balance.”

Ren didn’t seem amused. “Whatever. I’m just worried that if I don’t do well that’ll be enough for them to flunk me.” She continued to do problems.

“Heh. Fat chance” Sojiro said. Ren was surprised. “I won’t let them.”

“And they’ll take you for your word?” Ren asked.

“Well, I have connections,” Sojiro said. “Although, they can only go so far.”

“I see,” Ren said. She did a few more problems. “So.” Sojiro looked up. “You have connections, and you know people in prison.” Ren set her pencil down. “Just what kind of man are you?”

Sojiro smiled sharply. “If this were a date, I’d tell them ‘I’m one of a kind’. But it’s just a bunch of baggage from my old job.” He sighed.

“You know, if you’re looking to settle, that angle might work” Ren said. Sojiro’s interest was piqued. “‘Oh, I’m not looking for too much excitement. I’m just looking for a nice woman to settle down with.’ People will go for that.”

“Hm. Thanks kid, but I ain’t looking to settle” Sojiro said. “I’m not that kind of person.”

Ren was curious. “So, does that mean you’re actually batting for the other team?” she asked, half joking, half hoping to find some common ground between her and Sojiro.

“What? No” Sojiro said. “It’s just,” he sighed, “the woman I would have done that with… she’s no longer here…”

“Oh. I’m sorry” Ren said.

“It’s OK, you didn’t know,” Sojiro said. “Just more baggage from my old job.”

“You know, that could work for getting ladies too,” Ren added. “You could have them thinking ‘Oooo. He’s so mysterious.’”

“Heh” Sojiro sputtered. “I’ve been there before. Usually when a woman thinks you’re ‘mysterious’ they think it gives them permission to leave nail marks on your back.” Ren looked at Sojiro in disbelief. Sojiro’s face turned red. Ren was about to laugh. “F-Forget I said that!”

The bell rang, mercifully relieving Sojiro from continuing that conversation. “Hey,” Sumire said.

“Oh, hello,” Sojiro said. “Is it just her?” he asked Ren.

“No,” Ren said, hiking a quick blush at the thought of her and Sumire being alone together. “We’re waiting on a few more.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Well, have a seat.”

“Oh, thank you,” Sumire said.

“While we’re waiting, Sojiro was just telling me about the kinds of girls he dates,” Ren said.

“No I wasn’t!” Sojiro snapped back. Ren chuckled.

“Um, do you enjoy antagonizing people?” Sumire asked. Ren was shocked. She then felt guilty.

“I let her do it,” Sojiro chimed in. Both of them were surprised. “Partially because I feel I deserve it a little, but partially because she’s in a rough spot and needs to blow off some steam a little.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“Thanks boss,” Ren said.

Ryuji and Ann walked in. “Sup” Ryuji said.

“Is this everyone?” Sojiro said.

Renn shook her head. “We’re waiting on one more.”

“We are?” Sumire asked. Ren, Ann, and Ryuji were shocked.

The bell rang out one more time. “Hello,” Jose said.

Sojiro was shocked. “Him?” Ren nodded. “But he’s a child?!”

“I may be” Jose said, “but I’m what you call a prodigy. I’m a first year at Kosei. I transferred in just now due to an error in the paperwork.”

Sojiro was befuddled, but everyone else was confused. Ren decided to pick up the ball and roll with it. “Yeah,” she said, gaining everyone’s attention. “He was feeling down about that yesterday when we ran into him. He wanted to do an art project to ease his nerves, so we agreed to help.”

“Um, yeah” Ann said. “It was so interesting to be working with someone like him.”

Sojiro glanced at them. “Heh. I’m impressed. If someone your age can get into Kosei, then you must be impressive.”

“Oh, it was nothing,” Jose said.

“Well then, shall we?” Ren said.

“Wait! Are we not doing this here?” Sumire said.

“Oh, no,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed. “I just wanted to meet here because I felt like it was easier for everyone.”

“Oh. I see” Sumire said. The group left to head towards the diner on Central Street.

Morgana popped out of the bag. “Thank goodness you came when you did. I didn’t want to have to hear more about Sojiro’s dating life.”

“Oh, you would have loved it,” Ren said.

“Wait, you were talking about that?” Ryuji asked.

“Um...Is it just me...or is the cat talking?” Sumire said.

Everyone except Jose was surprised. “Did you not know?” Jose said. “Mr. Morgana is a talking kitty.”

“‘Mr…. Morgana…’” Morgana repeated. He smiled. “I like that.”

“You were SO down on him yesterday,” Ryuji pointed out in disgust.

“AHEM!” Ann said, trying to get the conversation back on track. “That’s, um, one of the things that needs explanation” she began. “So, that other world we were in yesterday?” Sumire nodded. “Because you were in that world, you can hear Morgana speak. Otherwise, he sounds like a cat.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

“I’ll explain everyone once we get to the diner,” Ren said. They kept walking.

Once they made it to the diner, they grabbed a booth. They all placed an order, and were waiting.”Um, isn’t this place kind of public to be talking about all this?” Ryuji asked.

“We’re her because it’s public,” Ren explained. “If we don’t scream and shout, people will think it’s just a conversation among friends.”

“Ah. Gotcha” Ryujis said.

“So, while we’re waiting,” Ann said, “do you have any questions right off the bat Sumire?”

Sumire pondered for a second. “Well… I don’t know. There’s just so many things.”

“I see,” Ann said.

“That makes sense,” Ryuji said. “She got flung into this headfirst.”

“Hey” Ren said, placing her hand on Sumire’s. “I promised I would explain everything, so I will.” Sumire nodded. Their food came and they began eating. “This is going to be a lot to take in, are you ready?” Sumire nodded again. “OK.”

Ren took a deep breath. “So. That other world, the metaverse, is basically the collective human unconscious. That figure that had you trapped, Eris, took over that place in an attempt to sew chaos in the real world. For whatever reason, I’ve been tasked with stopping her.

Assisting me thus far, is this guy, Morgana, Ann, and Ryuji. Morgana was created to help me, while Ann and Ryuji stumbled upon this sort of like how you did. Are you with me so far?”

“I think so?” Sumire said. “You’re tasked with using the metaverse to stop that Eris person, and you’re getting help from Ann-senpai, Ryuji-senpai, and Morgana-senpai, right?”

“‘M-Mogana-senpai’” Morgana repeated gleefully.

“Correct,” Ren said. “You seem pretty quick on the uptake.”

“Well, I’ve seen it for myself,” Sumire said. “It’d sound hard to believe if I didn’t experience it first-hand.”

“Right,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed. “Anyways, the way we do this is by stealing desires.”

“Stealing desires…” Sumire repeated. “Wait, but that means-”

Ren nodded. “We are the Phantom Thieves.”

Sumre was taken aback. “Huh.”

“In order to help do that, we’ve been granted the ability of persona, like the one you summoned to break you from captivity” Ren continued. “We have to continue this fight to stop Eris.” Sumire looked worried. “But you don’t.” Sumire looked up. “Whatever you decide is fine. But can you promise not to tell anyone about us?”

Everyone else was shocked. Sumire thought about it. “Well, I promise I won’t say anything…” Everyone else looked at her. “But as for joining up… I’m going to need a bit more time to think about it.”

“And that's fine,” Ren assured her. “After what happened with you, anyone would be hesitant.”

“Well, you aren’t” Sumire pointed out to Ren's surprise. “You were framed for something you didn’t do. You were driven away from your home. You barely had time to process all of this before getting thrust into this mess, and you seem to be doing well enough.”

Ren was shocked. “Oh…”

“Sumire-chan?” Ann asked. “Do you think you have a good grasp of the situation for now?” Sumire nodded. “OK. We’re going to let you think for now. There’s something else we need to discuss. Jose?”

“Yes?” Jose responded.

“...Are you...actually going to Kosei now?” Ann asked.

“Yup” Jose answered.

“How’d you manage to swing that?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, I made up some documents that said I had applied and mad them think they didn’t register me in time” Jose said

“Woah! You faked documents?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, I’m not sure how ‘fake’ they are,” Ann said. “Considering that he’s not from this world.”

“I guess you have a point…” Ryuji said.

“But why Kosei?” Ann asked.

Jose smiled. “Well, I did some research.” He took out a phone. “I bought one of these and looked up a few things. Kosei is a school that offers free lodging to students. So I applied.”

“Wait, isn’t Kosei like an art school or something?” Ryuji asked. “What did you get in with?”

“Flower arranging,” Jose answered.

“I… guess that makes sense,” Ryuji responded.

“So, Jose, I’m assuming we can count on you to join up with the Phantom Thieves from now on?” Ann asked.

Jose nodded. “You’re helping me study humanity. The least I can do is help you with this.”

“Wait, study… humanity?” Sumire said.

“Oh yeah” Ann said. “You weren’t there. Jose isn’t technically human.”

“What?!” Sumire said.

“It’s true,” Jose said.

“I’m not either,” Morgana chimed in.

“Oh, but you’re a cat, right?” Sumire asked.

“I am not a cat!” Morgana said.

“Morgana just has the form of a cat” Ren added. “Much like how Jose has the form of a human.”

“I see,” Sumire said. “Question:” Everyone looked at her. “Does this metaverse thing have anything to do with Shiho-senpai trying to burn down the school?” Everyone was surprised. “It’s just, when she showed me around earlier, she seemed like a completely different person…”

Everyone was a little solemn. “Yeah” Ren answered. “That’s part of Eris’s plan. It’s kind of complicated. Basically what was happening is that some...thing named Yaldabaoth originally set everything up to impose high order. However, Eris defeated Yaldabaoth and converted their plan into her own.

People like Kamoshida have what are called palaces. Essentially, these are areas in the metaverse that are heavily distorted by the people that control them. These were part of Yaldabaoth's original plan.

What Eris is doing is she corrupts people who have an ax to grind with palace rulers so that they will kill them. And that’s what happened with Shiho, and that’s what will continue to happen. So we’re here to put a stop to it.” Ren finished. Sumire was speechless. “Are you OK?”

Sumire slammed her fist on the table. “Count me in!”

Ren was surprised. “Um, what?”

“You heard me!” Sumire insisted. She calmed down. “I’m sorry. It’s just… I did promise to help you after you all helped me out so much.”

Ren looked at her. “You don’t have to-”

“But I want to!” Sumire interjected. “If I’m going to be honest, I…” she gulped. “I wasn’t sure how I felt about the Phantom Thieves when the calling card was posted. I wasn’t sure about this forceful intervention. But I know what it feels like to be at your lowest. To feel so helpless that anything would seem like a good idea.”

Sumire grew determined. “So if that’s what you’re fighting, I want to fight that too! I want to help people because I’ve been there! I know how terrible it can be. I know that you can’t escape on your own. I want to be that light for others.”

Everyone was stunned at Sumire’s convictions. Ren spoke up. “Wow. I’ve gotta say, I’m impressed. If that’s the case, welcome to the team.”

“Oh, thanks,” Sumire said.

“Alright! Now we gotta think up codenames” Ryuji said.

“Codenames?” Sumire asked.

“Yeah” Ann added. “We do it because we don’t want to repeatedly yell our real names in the palaces of those we’re stealing from. Also, it’s kind of fun.”

“I see,” Suire said.

“So, what do you want your codename to be?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh! Um, what are all your codenames?” Sumire replied.

Ren smiled. “Ann is Panther, Morgana is Mona, Ryuji is Skull, and I am Joker.”

Sumire chuckled at Ren saying her codename with gravitas. “How fitting. Oh, but what about Jose?”

“Oh, I don’t have one yet,” Jose answered.

“Yeah, we just found him yesterday,” Ann explained.

“Does he need one?” Ryuji asked. “I mean, we did kind of find him in Mementos.”

“Yeah, but if he’s going to go to Kosei, people will know of him,” Ren explained.

“Besides, I have a codename, and most people think of me as a cat” Morgana interjected.

“Right,” Ryuji said. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine Ryuji,” Jose said. “I can see why you would ask that. But as for a codename, hmmm.”

“What about Florist?” Ryuji asked.

“Mmmmm, I don’t think it fits,” Jose said. “It’s too technical.”

“I like flowers as a motif for you though,” Ann said.

“I guess, but the flowers were just a means to an end” Jose explained. “Personally, I’d like something more themed around light.”

“Light?” Ann asked.

Jose nodded. “I’m wishing to find the light of the truth. I want something that incorporates that.”

“Why not both?” Ren said. “Since flowers need the light of the sun to grow, how about Sunshine?”

“Sunshine, huh…” Jose pondered. “I like it!”

“Alright! Let’s go Sunshine!” Ryuji said.

“So, do you have any ideas Sumire?” Ann asked.

Sumire thought. “Well...a codename feels like I’m hiding my identity.”

“It… Is?” Ryuji said, confused.

“But after living as my sister, I don’t want to hide who I am anymore,” Sumire explained.

“Oh. Right. Sorry” Ryuji apologized.

“I think that’s fine,” Ren said. Everyone was surprised. “We could just call you Violet.”

“Violet?” Sumire said.

“Of course!” Ann said. “Violet is Sumire in English!”

“Violet” Sumire repeated. She smiled. “I like that. A lot.”

“Alright!” Ryuji said. “Now that that’s settled, what now?”

“Well, we need to look into that name Nakanohara gave us,” Morgan reminded them. “Madarame.”

“Right,” Ryuji said.

“Something else has been bugging me too,” Ren said.

“What is it?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Ren began. “When Eris left us yesterday, she said that the chaos she’s sewing will save humanity.”

“Yeah?” Ann said

“But those shadows that tried to stop Jose,” Ren continued, “they seemed like the chaos that was happening would doom humanity.”

“Really?” Ann said.

“So, what does that mean?” Ryuji asked.

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “It seemed odd, so I thought I would bring it up.”

“So, we have to figure out if that means anything,” Morgana said. He smiled. “Sounds interesting.”

“Oh, right,” Ryuji said. “We should add Sumire and Jose to the group chat.”

“Right,” Sumire said, a little flustered. They all got out their phones and exchanged contact information.

“Alright. Now if we have anything, we can tell each other right away!” Ryuji said. “Now let’s hunt for this Madarame character.”

“Wait!” Sumire blurted. “Um, aren’t midterms coming up?”

Ren smiled. “You’re right. Maybe the best thing to do for now is lay low and focus on that.”

“But...thieving…” Ryuji said.

“Ren’s right. You can't be a thief if you're being punished for not doing well on your exams” Morgana chided.

Ryuji was silent for a moment. “Ugh, FINE! I guess I need to go study.”

“Yeah, I think we all should,” Ann said. “Especially you Ryuji.”

“Look who’s talking!” Ryuji sniped back. “The only thing you’re good at is English!”

“That’s better than not being good at anything!” Ann retorted. She and Ryuji grrred at each other.

“So, I think the plan is clear,” Ren said, trying to get some form of order in this. “Focus on midterms for now, then investigate Madarame. Got that?” Everyone nodded. “Good. I think we can do this.”

“Hell yeah!” Ryuji said. “After all, we have two new members on our side!”

“Right!” Sumire said with enthusiasm.

“Sumire,” Ren said. “Are you absolutely sure you want to do this?”

“Of course!” Sumire said.

Ren sighed. “Very well. Welcome aboard Violet. Sunshine.” Everyone nodded.

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 3

The thieves finished their food and left for their homes.

Ren walked into Leblanc. “Must have been a fun day” Sojiro commented.

“Mm hm” Ren nodded.

“Heh” Sojiro grunted back. He got a little more serious. “You know, even though you didn’t hit that guy, I still think Tokyo might be a better fit for you than your hometown.

Ren was confused. “What do you mean?”

“Oh, well, uh…” Sojiro said. “Your parents gave me a description of you to help me be a better adult for you”

Ren was now curious. “What did they say?”

Sojiro thought for a moment. “Hmmmmm. Well, they told me you were kind of aloof. Disinterested in the world around you. You didn’t seem to like people and kept them at bay. But that seems different from the young lady standing before me. She’s outgoing, sociable, and making friends, even in the unlikeliest of places.”

“I see,” Ren said. I guess I was like that. No one wanted to be my friend or even liked me all that much. So I guess I put on a facade. She looked around Leblanc. I guess what they say is true. Every cloud has a silver lining.

“You know,” Sojiro began, capturing Ren’s attention once more, “this doesn’t just have to be a temporary thing. If you want, I could call your parents and make arrangements to have you stay permanently.”

Ren smiled. “I’ll think about it.”

“Well, it’s your call,” Sojiro said. “I’m gonna head out for the night. Take care.”

“Seeya” Ren said as Sojiro left. Her smile left her face. She then got a message and checked it immediately.

Sumire: Hey everyone.

Ann: What’s up?

Sumire: ...

Sumire: I wasn’t entirely honest with you all.

Ryuji: ??

Ryuji: How so?

Sumire: Well…

Sumire: I do want to help people

Sumre: But I’m also doing this to help myself.

Ren: ??

Sumire: See, I think I haven’t found as much of myself as I thought I had.

Sumire: And I feel like I’m at my best when I’m with you all.

Sumire: Sorry for being so self-indulgent.

Ann: Sumire…

Jose: What’s wrong with that?

Jose: I’m helping the team out of my own self-interest too.

Ryuji: You could have phrased that better dude.

Sumre: Actually, I think I needed that.

Ryuji: Huh?

Sumire: That sort of blunt approach really shook me out of it.

Sumire: I’m feeling better about this

Sumire: Thank you Jose.

Jose: You’re welcome.

Ann: Well, I guess that works.

Ann: But maybe we need to work on that.

Ryuji: Yeah, it’s not an approach that would work with everyone.

Ren: …

Ann: ??

Ann: What’s on your mind?

Ren: Well, I was just thinking…

Ren: Would any of you be my friend if none of this had happened?

Jose: No, but then again, I wouldn’t know you, so the point is kind of moot.

Sumire: OF COURSE I WOULD!

Sumire: Sorry. Sorry.

Sumire: But I would. Yeah.

Sumire: You helped me out when you had no need to.

Sumire: I didn’t even know about all of this stuff until yesterday.

Sumire: So yes.

Ryuji: Wow.

Ryuji: That’s a lot.

Ryuji: But to answer your question, maybe.

Ann: Maybe?

Ryuji: Well, you and her were so buddy buddy.

Ryuji: And we were both still caught up in Kamoshida’s bullshit.

Ann: Right…

Ryuji: But if Kamoshida wasn’t being a piece of shit, then I’d say so.

Ann: I think we’d be friends too.

Ann: You’re very real, and when you’re someone like me, that can be hard to come by.

Jose: I think I’m starting to understand something.

Ren: ??

Jose: You are all kind of similar.

Jose: Which I think is what draws you together.

Jose: The metaverse only served to accelerate this connection.

Ren: Thanks Jose.

Jose: You’re welcome.

Jose: I have to go to bed now.

Jose: I don’t want to be late for my first day.

Sumire: Goodnight Jose.

Ann: I should go too.

Ann: Goodnight.

Ryuji: Same.

Ryuji: G’night everyone.

Ren: Good night.

Ren stood there and smiled at the conversation. “Well well” Eris said. Ren looked up to find the cloaked figure sitting at a booth. “You all compliment each other. How sweet.”

Ren sat down across from her. “What do you want?”

“What, no banter?” Eris asked. “I just came by because I felt some chaos in your heart is all. I want to make sure you’re feeling alright. Or not, and you’d join me.”

“I’m doing just fine,” Ren said. “It’s just a bit of growing pains.”

“Does it usually take the form of chaos?” Eris asked.

“Sometimes” Ren answered. “Life can’t be perfect. It’s how we deal with it that makes us who we are.”

“I see…” Eris said. “And you’d rather deal with it the right way? Why not go hog wild and let your inner beast out?”

Ren paused for a moment. “I don’t want to hurt anyone. If I think only for myself, then I’m no better than the type of people who despise me.”

“What’s that going to get you?” Eris asked. “A handful of friends? A little bit of self-satisfaction? People will still despise you. People will still not respect you. Why not go crazy and MAKE them respect you?”

Ren smiled. “It’s simple. I don’t care.” Eris was shocked. “People can do what they like. As long as I have people I can trust, I don’t care.” Eris was seething. “By the way, maybe you should take some of your own advice.” Eris was curious. “You go on and on about how diving the world into chaos will make everything better for humanity, but some of your shadow friends would beg to differ.”

“Are you saying that those lovely shadows would go against me?!” Eris asked.

“Nope. They’re saying that” Ren replied calmly. Eris was fuming. “And now you see the effectiveness of my approach.” Eris stopped. “Pure chaos can help, but a controlled chaos can be useful too.”

“Oh. I see. You were just trying to teach me a lesson” Eris said. She began laughing. “Of course my lovlies wouldn’t do anything to go against me.”

“Um, no,” Ren said. “They really did say that.”

Eris stopped laughing. “Listen. I have full confidence that my chaos will win you over.”

“And I have full confidence otherwise,” Ren retorted.

“Well, I guess we’ll know who'll win in the end” Eris said.

“Maybe” Ren said. “Or you could surrender now.”

“HA!” Eris said. “I’m not through with you yet! Not by a long shot!”

Hunger-Eris: Rank 2

“Seeya” Eris said. She faded out. Ren started, shrugged, and headed upstairs.

After she put her pajamas on and got into bed Morgana chimed in. “Hey. Like Jose said, we probably wouldn’t have met under normal circumstances. But I think if I were to exist in some way, I think we’d be friends.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Morgana.” She scratched his chin. Morgana started to pur. “Oh my GOSH YOU’RE PURRING!” She grabbed Morgana and started cuddling him. “You're just the sweetest thing.”

“AK! OK. Can you let me go now?” Morgana asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. But she didn’t let go. She fell asleep.

Morgana looked at her sleeping face. He considered the fact that he was trapped in her hug. “Well, I suppose there are worse things.” He yawned and promptly fell asleep as well.

 

Notes:

One more chapter before the Madarame arc fully begins, which I am excited for. I've envisioned these story beats a whole lot, and I can hardly wait to put them to page. I really like what I have in my mind. I hope it translates well. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 25: Girl Talk

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday morning, the student council president, Makoto Nijima, was called to the principal’s office. “You wanted to see me sir?”

“Ah, Nijima-san” Kobayakawa said. “I have a very important job for you.”

“Really? But midterms are coming up” Makoto replied.

“I’ve seen your grades,” Kobayakawa said. “You don’t need to worry about that. Besides, this assignment will probably extend beyond that.”

“Really?” Makoto asked. “Well, what is this assignment?”

Kobayakawa pulled up a copy of Kamoshida’s calling card. “You’re familiar with this, correct?”

Makoto was shocked. “That was the calling card sent to Mr. Kamoshida by those rumored Phantom Thieves.”

“Exactly,” Kobayakawa said. “I want you to investigate to see if there is any truth to these Phantom Thieves.”

Makoto was confused. “But sir, why?”

Kobayakawa glared. “As you know, this school has a reputation to uphold. If it were overrun with criminals, well, I honestly wouldn’t know what would happen.”

“What about Kamoshida?” Makoto retorted. “Wasn’t he a criminal?”

“Well…” Kobayakawa stammered, “what happened with Mr. Kamoshida was unfortunate, but we had no idea what was happening.” Makoto was still hesitant. “You know, your sister is very prestigious. And I can write you a letter of recommendation to any college you want so you can be just like that. All I’m asking you to do is this.”

Makoto was concerned about Mr. Kobayakawa’s tone, but she had questions of her own about the Phantom Thieves. As much as she was concerned, she looked at Principal Kobayakawa and said “Very well, I will give it a shot.”

“Thank you Nijima-san” Kobayakawa said, smiling. “I’m expecting great things from you.” Makoto nervously walked out. Kobayakawa got a call. “Yes... I’m on it. I have my most trusted person on it. If these Phantom Thieves do exist, I will flush them out for sure… Of course. You will hear from me right away… Thank you sir.”

Meanwhile, just outside, Makoto was wondering to herself. “How am I supposed to find them? They’re called ‘Phantom Thieves’ not ‘Here We Are Now Thieves.’” She sighed. “Well, I do want to figure this out for myself. If Principal Kobayakawa is allowing me the go-ahead, I might as well take advantage of it.” She started walking. “Now, how to begin this investigation.”

After school, Ren was gathering her things to leave. “Hey” Ann said, approaching her. “Um, can we go to the park? Just the two of us?”

Ren nodded. “Sure. But, uh, you’re going to need to lead the way.”

Ann giggled. “Right. Follow me.” The two of them left for the park. They found themselves sitting in front of a lustrous body of water. “It’s amazing, right?” Ann noted. Ren looked at her. “I mean, Tokyo is the dictionary definition of a modern city, but it still has places like this where you can admire nature.”

Ren smiled at that notion. “While I appreciate that, I’m guessing you didn’t call me out here to admire nature.”

“Heh. You got me” Ann said. “It’s just, last night when you asked us if we’d still be your friend if none of this had happened, well… I’m kind of wondering the same thing.” Ren was confused and concerned.

Ann continued. “On your first day of school, when we met at that crosswalk, and Kamoshida asked us both if we’d like a ride; back then I felt like I had no choice to do what he said. My best friend’s future was at his whim.

But you? You had no reason to jump in his car like you did. I should have stopped you. I should have told you after we got out. But then he...he…” Ann was tearing up.

Ren looked at her. “Are you worried about that?” she asked. Ann looked up. “Truth is, I jumped in his car because I was worried about you. I sensed you were nervous, so I came in to make sure nothing happened. And even if I hadn’t, Kamoshida knew about my past. He probably thought that made me an easy target.”

Ren looked at the water. “He might have been right. I wasn’t sure what to do in that moment. But I didn’t need to be.” She looked back to Ann. “Because I had you.”

Ann was shocked. Tears were still streaming down her face, but she started smiling. “Jerk” she said, shoving Ren, “Don’t make me cry like that.”

“Sorry,” Ren said, laughing a little.

Ann wiped her tears. “And you were worried about if we’d be friends if this whole metaverse thing hadn’t happened. You got into a stranger's car because you were worried about another stranger. I mean, I at least have to respect that.”

“Yeah, well, not everyone would,” Ren said. “I learned that first hand…”

Ann placed her hand on Ren’s back. “It’s OK. Once we sort out this metaverse thing, I’ll help you clear your name. And I’m sure everyone else will too.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks. But even before that, people still didn’t like me all that much in my hometown.”

“Is that what brought this up?” Ann asked.

“Kinda” Ren responded. “Last night as I got home, Sojiro told me my parents gave a description of my behavior to help him help me. They basically said I was anti-social, and thinking about it, they were right.”

“Man, that sucks” Ann said. “But I get that. Even in middle school, people only noticed me for my looks. Until one day in art class, Shiho came up to me and said ‘that painting is awful.’”

“Was it?” Ren asked.

“No!” Ann defended. “Well, I didn’t think so. But I barely managed to pass art that year, so who knows.” Ann smiled. “But it was the first time anyone had said anything to me that wasn’t about my looks. We got to talking, and quickly became friends.

Soon after, I met Ryuji. You should have seen him in middle school. His hair was still black. It’s kinda funny now. It was the three of us for a while, but then, well, you know…”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Pardon me for asking, but if you don’t like people seeing you just for your looks, then why are you a model?”

“No, that’s a fair question,” Ann said. “Truth is, my parents are part of the company. I started because they wanted me to, but now… I don’t know. I’d hate to disappoint them, but at the same time,” she sighed, “I dunno, I guess I’m a little disinterested.”

“I see,” Ren said. “You know, people see people like us and make assumptions, but in reality we’re a lot more than that. To be fair, I guess everyone has a bit more depth than what we see. Heck, most people didn’t really see who Kamoshida was until we stepped in.”

Ann had a sudden realization. “You’re right!”

“I am?” Ren asked.

“Yeah!” Ann said, standing up. “If I want people to look at me differently, I have to change how they see me myself!” She stood for a second. She sat back down. “Although I have no idea how to do that…”

Ren chuckled. “Well, that in it of itself is a good place to start”

“Well, I wouldn’t have thought of it if we weren’t friends” Ann reminded her. “Ever since Kamoshida confessed, I’ve been feeling better. I remembered that I don’t need everyone to like me. I just need the people who see the real me to.” She looked at Ren. “I’m glad you see the real me.”

Ren smiled back at her. “I’m glad you see the real me as well.”

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 3

The two girls left the park. They promised each other to study, but one had an easier time keeping that promise than the other.

The next day after school as Ren was leaving class, Shiho walked up to her. “Hey” she said. “Do you have a bit of time? I mean, I know midterms start tomorrow, but I’d like to chat.”

Ren smiled. “Sure.”

“Great,” Shiho said. Shiho started walking, and Ren followed. They ended up in the gym. “So, um, I know this is a little sudden, but how good are you at volleyball?” Ren gave her a confused look. “It’s just, you know I want to bring the volleyball team back, but I can’t remember how good I am without Kamoshida breathing down my neck. So…”

Ren smiled. “I understand. Well, to be honest, basketball is more my sport, but I don’t think I’m particularly bad at volleyball.”

“Great,” Shiho said. “Can you help me set things up?” Ren nodded. The two of them changed into their gym clothes and set up a small volleyball court. They played some one on one volleyball. While Ren did manage to get some points in, it was evident that Shiho was the victor.

“Wow,” said Ren. “That was excellent Shiho. I’ve played against some pretty serious people before, but you’re second to none.” Ren looked over at Shiho, only to be surprised to find her crying.

Shiho glanced at Ren. “Huh? Oh, I’m sorry.” She wiped her tears. “It’s just… It’s been so long since I’ve felt this good after playing volleyball. I’d almost forgotten the feeling.” She sat down. Ren sat down next to her.

Shiho continued. “When Mr. Kamoshida came into the picture, I thought for sure things would get better. I mean, he was an Olympic medalist. I thought that meant he’d love the sport as much as I do. But no. Volleyball was just a means to an end for him.”

Shiho sighed. “I guess I went along with it for as long as I did because I felt like I had no other choice. But in hindsight, I guess I could have just left. I guess I could have told someone. I could have done… well, anything. But I fell in with some temptress saying I could make him pay…”

Ren looked her over. “Well, you know hindsight is 20/20” she began. “And especially in moments like that where you’re stressed out and can’t think straight, it can be hard to see all of the options in front of you.” Shiho listened, but didn’t quite believe Ren.

Ren noticed this, and continued. “Remember when Mr. Kamoshida called me into his office. He was pressuring me into, well, you know… If you and Ann hadn’t shown up, I don’t know what would have happened.”

Shiho’s interest was piqued. “Really? But you seem so sure of yourself.”

Ren smiled. “Believe me, all of us have moments of doubt. But the fact that you wanted to practice today means that Kamoshida didn’t extinguish that fire in you completely.”

Shiho smiled. “You’re right. I’ve never once doubted my love of volleyball, or my love of my friends. Despite Kamoshida fighting tooth and nail to destroy that, I still love them all.” She looked up at the ceiling. “It feels really good not to be running on empty.”

She stood up. “If I can convince everyone else of my passion, then I’m SURE I can bring the volleyball team back.” She offered her hand to Ren to help her up. Ren accepted. “Thank you for today. I can’t tell you how much I needed it.”

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 2.

The girls put away the volleyball gear, changed back into their clothes, and parted ways. The next day was the beginning of midterms, so they decided to do some last minute studying.

Notes:

And with that, the next chapter will get the ball rolling on the Madarame arc, as well as introduce the Thieves to a certain doctor. That said, it might be a little bit before then because I want to work on a few other things. It might not, because for whatever reason I really enjoy working on this. But if it does it does. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 26: The Past Catches Up

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Wednesday, midterms began at Shujin. The Phantom Thieves were intently answering questions, hoping to pass. The first two days passed without incident. However, Friday was full of surprises.

Ren was waiting for the train when Ann approached her. “Hey” she said.

Ren looked at her. “You don’t look so good. Are you feeling alright?” Ren put her hand up to Ann’s head. “You don’t seem to have a fever.”

“Thanks, but… I don’t know” Ann said. “I’m more worried about these tests than I have been. I’ve never done that well at them, but now they seem more important than ever.”

“Oh” Ren said. “I’m sure you’ll do fine.”

“Let’s hope so,” Ann said. She glanced around. “I don’t know if it’s the fatigue, but I think someone’s been following me.”

Ren looked around as well. She didn’t see anyone too suspicious, but she couldn’t rule anything out. “Well, we could stick together, if that makes you feel better.”

Ann smiled. “I’d like that.” The two of them got on the subway and headed to class.

After midterms were done for the day, an announcement played over the speakers. “Attention. This is Principal Kobayakawa. All students please report to the auditorium for a special announcement.”

“Settle down” Kawakami told everyone. “This is important, so please go carefully, and don’t cause a scene.” The students did as they were told and went into the auditorium.

Principal Kobayakawa stood at the podium. “Ahem. While recent events may have been troubling, this has been in the works for a little while now. As you know, Shujin Academy has prided itself on its care for students. However, there has been something we’ve been lacking. Well we are going to rectify that. Starting today we have hired an independent student therapist. Please put your hands together for Doctor Takuto Maruki.”

The students clapped as Doctor Maruki took the stage. “Thank you everyone,” he said, adjusting the mic. Unfortunately, it slipped a little and hit him on the head. “Ow! Sorry about that. Ahem, anyway. As Principal Kobayakawa mentioned, this has been in the works for a while now. Also, I am independent, so I don’t really answer to him. I am 100% committed to helping you all with whatever problems you have. You can come to me for anything. Whether you have a serious problem, or you just need a bit of a break, I don’t care. I just want to help you as much as I can. Please welcome me to your school.”

The students began clapping. Ren overheard some of the girls around her gossip about how hot he is. Ren found it a little strange since not too long ago Kamoshida was arrested partially for wanting to have relations with his students. But Ren figured it was fine, since it was students admiring the teacher and not the other way around.

Ren looked at Maruki. From the way he spoke to the way he carried himself, he didn’t seem like a bad person. And he was independent, so he’d be willing to listen to things the school might not like or have any interest in. However, Ren got an alert on her phone. She checked it to see it was on the Phantom Thief group chat.

Sumire: Help!

Ren quickly messaged back.

Ren: Let’s meet up once this is over, OK?

Sumire: OK.

Principal Kobayakawa thanked Doctor Maruki and then let the students out. As they were leaving Kawakami stopped Ann, Ren, and Mishima. “Hold on. …” She sighed. “While visiting the therapist is generally optional, I was asked that you three visit him at least once.”

“Why?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Kawakami pointed to Ann and Mishima. “You two for your closeness with Kamoshida,” she pointed at Ren, “And you because of, well, your general circumstances.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Thank you.” They walked off.

“Well, I’m probably going to go after midterms finish up tomorrow,” Mishima said. “Right now, I’ve got to focus!”

“On midterms?” Ren asked.

“Well, kind of,” Mishima said. “But also on the Phan-site!” MIshima started walking off. He turned back and waved. “Seeya!”

Ren and Ann saw him off. They turned to each other and nodded. They started heading over to the roof. However, on their way they met up with Ryuji and Sumire by the vending machines. “Do we just want to do it here?”

“Sure, I guess” Ryuji said.

“Just make sure to keep your voice down” Ann said. “If anything comes up about our... extracurriculars, it’ll be on you.”

“Alright, alright,” Ryuji said.

Ren looked at Sumire. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

Sumire was shaking a little, but she had to be brave. “That man… Dr. Maruki… he’s… he’s the therapist I went to… after Kasumi…”

The three second years were shocked. “So, Dr. Maruki is the person who suggested you act more like your sister.” Sumire nodded.

“Hm” Ren said. “I was getting a good vibe off of him too.”

“Not me,” Ryuji said. “What’s more, my homeroom teacher pulled me aside and said I practically had to visit him.”

“Ours too” Ren said.

“Mine did as well…” Sumire admitted. “But…”

Ren smiled. She walked over and hugged Sumire. “Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.” Sumire blushed.

“Tch, I don’t care” Ryuji said, pulling out his phone. “I think we just found our next target.”

“Woah! What are you saying?” Ann said.

“This guy coerced Sumire into thinking she was her sister” Ryuji pointed out. “No way this dude’s not hiding some sinister shit.”

Morgana popped out. “But what about Madarame?”

“We don’t know the first thing about this Madarame” Ryuji retorted. “We at least have a full name here.”

“Well, it wouldn’t hurt to check,” Ann said.

Ryuji loaded the app. “Takuto Maruki”

The phone dinged. “Location does not exist anymore.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shouted in disbelief.

“Oh my” Maruki said, approaching from the woodwork. “I didn’t quite expect that.”

Ren, Ann, and Ryuji got defensive, while Sumire hid behind Ren. “What do you want?” Ren asked, full of vitriol.

Maruki smiled. “Why don’t we continue this somewhere private?” He leaned in. “Unless you want everyone to figure out you’re the Phantom Thieves.” He leaned back. “Now then, how about my office?” He turned around. Everyone there was sort of confused and on edge, but decided to follow him since he knew their secret.

They ended up in a nurse’s office. “Here we are, my office is Shujin.” He turned to the thieves. “Now, I’m assuming you have questions.” The students exchanged glances. “I understand your hesitation, and usually I don’t wish to rush things, but I think it’s be better for everyone if we were all on the same page.”

Ren looked among her cohorts and nodded. “What makes you think we’re the Phantom Thieves?”

“I guess that’s a fair place to start,” Maruki explained. “After one of the meetings setting up my arrangement with the school, I was leaving the school when I noticed the three of you appearing in an alley. Well, I guess I should say four of you.” He looked at Ren’s bag. “It's OK, you can come out.”

Morgana popped out of the bag. “What’s going on?” he asked. “Can-Can he hear me?”

“I most certainly can,” Maruki said, surprising everyone. “I’ve been aware of the existence of this other universe for quite some time now. However, recently, I gained access to it. Though it was only locked to a certain location And even more recently, it was destroyed.”

The thieves were confused by this. Maruki continued. “It happened soon after your father chewed me out for doing what I did to you Yoshizawa-san. A mysterious woman came to me and destroyed that place. I was wondering if you could tell me about that.”

The thieves looked at him. “What makes you think we’d help you?!” Ryuji asked. “I mean, you pretty much brainwashed Sumire! Why should we believe you on ANYTHING?!”

Maruki smiled. “Well, for a more concrete answer, my access to the metaverse has been cut off. I have no advantage over you there. The ball is in your court. However, even though you might not believe it, I have no ill will towards any of you, even before this”

Maruki looked at Sumire. “I have to apologize to you Yoshizawa. I really wished to help you through your sister’s death. However, it appears I was short-sighted. I don’t expect you to forgive me, but I wish to convey to you that my feelings are sincere.”

Ren looked at Sumire. Sumire looked up at Ren. “Um, what do you think?” Sumire asked.

“Well, I think it’s up to you,” Ren said. “Our inclination against Dr. Maruki is because of what happened with you. I can believe all I want that he’s a good person, or that we should accept his help, but it really comes down to how you feel about him.”

Everyone was now looking at Sumire who was lost in thought. “Well… It’s complicated. While there probably could have been a better way to help me, I think it helped me somewhat.” Everyone was kind of shocked. “I mean, if I hadn’t become Kasumi for the period of time I had, I would have never found you senpai.” Ren blushed slightly.

“Meeting you is what shook me out of that,” Sumire continued. “For the first time in a while, I felt like someone was there for me that wasn’t a member of my family, or coach Hiraguchi. So I wanted you to see me for me. If I hadn’t visited Dr. Maruki, I don’t think I would have had the energy to come to school, let alone talk to you. So, I don’t necessarily hate Dr. Maruki, even though I disagree with him somewhat.”

Everyone was stunned. “Wow Yoshizawa,” Maruki said. “That’s surprisingly mature.”

“Holy shit” Ryuji said.

Ann turned to Ren. “What do you think?”

Ren thought about it. “Well, if Sumire is...OK?” she looked at Sumire. Sumire nodded. “...with Dr. Maruki, then I think we can be too.”

Ryuji sighed. “Well, if you say so. Though I’m not sure if I can trust him fully.”

“I get that,” Maruki said. “It can be hard to open up to people, especially if they’ve done something wrong. But again, I wish nothing but the best for all of you.”

They all looked at Maruki. Ren sighed. “The woman that approached you is most likely Eris. She is our direct enemy in this, and is a paragon of chaos. She believes that by causing humanity chaos something good will happen. She’s going around corrupting people to meet her goals, and we are there to stop them.”

“I see,” Maruki said, taking notes. “But I don’t remember her when I first arrived at my section of metaverse. And she destroyed it.”

“Well, that’s because that’s different,” Ann explained. “Palaces like your or Kamoshida’s don’t come from Eris. They come from a distorted desire, right Morgana?”

Morgana nodded. “Yeah. That’s another thing. A being called Yaldabaoth was originally planning on fighting us, but Eris swooped in, destroyed him, and took over his plan, while making adjustments.”

“So, you having a palace in the first place is a little hard to look past,” Ryuji explained.

“I see,” Maruki said, embarrassed. “Although, if you don’t mind, I’d like to analyze what, Takamaki-san said. A palace comes from a distorted desire. While Kamoshida was certainly distorted in such a way that made him evil, not every distorted desire can come from a place of vitriol. Am I correct in assuming that?”

The group was shocked. “Well?” Ren said, looking at Morgana.

“...He’s right,” Morgana answered. “A desire doesn’t have to be evil to be distorted.”

Ann looked at Maruki. “Well if this is what you’re claiming, then what was your desire? What not evil thing did you wish to accomplish?”

“I suppose that’s a fair question,” Maruki said. “What I intended to do was end all suffering.” The thieves were surprised, and surprised that they can still be surprised. “I felt like I was closer than ever. But then…”

“Which reminds me,” Morgana said. “You told us something that I’d like to know about.”

“You noticed it too, huh” Ren.

“Um, noticed what?” Ryuji asked.

Morgana smiled. “Well, you’re the leader. By all means.”

Ren looked at Dr. Maruki. “Earlier you said you’ve know about the metaverse even before you stepped foot in your palace. Why is that?”

“Ah” Maruki said. “What an astute observation. Yes, I have known about the metaverse for a while. In fact, I was studying it with some of my peers in the psychological field. The term used to describe this was ‘Cognitive Psience.’

We felt that since a person’s emotions helped shape their worldview, by tapping into that power, we could change the world for the better. However, there were some complications. One of my associates mysteriously died. Soon after, the whole project was shut down.”

“I see…” said Ann.

“But I didn’t want to give up,” Maruki said. “I was determined to help people. It’s why I became a psychiatrist in the first place. I felt so close, and I knew I could get closer. That’s when my palace, as you say, appeared to me.

I was confused, but I explored it. It was a laboratory, which made sense, since they were planning on building a lab, but with the project shutting down, it didn’t come to pass. Everything there was how I had imagined it. I guess that’s the power of the metaverse. But it appears that wasn’t meant to be either.”

“Huh?” Ryuji said.

“So,” Sumire spoke up, “you wish to help us?”

“Ah yes,” Maruki said. “While I can’t aid you with help from the metaverse, I can help you understand it better, and even help you use it to your advantage. I still have some of my notes. What do you say?”

The thieves looked at each other. “What should we do?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, he certainly knows his stuff,” Morgana said. “It would be nice to have someone like that on our side.”

“Plus he seems nice enough, despite everything” Ann said. “I don’t think he’d betray us.”

“Like I’ve stated, I’m fine with it as long as Sumire is,” Ren explained.

Sumire looked determined. “I think we should trust him for now.”

“Alright then” Ryuji said. They turned back to Maruki.

“We’ll agree to this,” Ren said. “But one false move…”

“Loud and clear,” Maruki said. The thieves all prepared to leave. “Oh, by the way, I’m assuming your teachers asked you to meet with me.” The thieves were again surprised. “Sorry. They told me they would do that. But as I mentioned, I am independent from the school. So, I’ll waive that. Outside of Phantom Thief business, you do not need to see me. However, I would appreciate it if you needed help.”

Ren nodded. “Very well. I’ll think about it.” They left.

“Um, you aren’t seriously thinking of going to him for help, are you?” Ryuji asked.

“I mean, maybe” Ren said. “It’s not that I don’t appreciate the help you guys are giving me, but…”

Ann smiled. “It’s OK. I get it. It can be helpful to hear what other people think.”

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “And as I said, I think Maruki is helpful.”

“But what if he tries something?” Ryuji asked.”

“Well, I doubt he would,” Morgana said. “He told us his palace got destroyed.”

“Besides, I think I’m strong enough to resist it if he were,” Ren said. “I mean, I’m trying to resist Eris. I think I can handle someone she defeated.”

“An excellent point,” Morgana said.

“Well, I guess it might be worth a try,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah” said Ann. “It might be good to clear my head about a few things. You know, once midterms are over.”

“Aw crap!” Ryuji exclaimed. “I’d forgotten about midterms.”

“Well, tomorrow’s the last day,” Ren pointed out. “Does anyone want to see Maruki right away?” They all shook their heads. “OK then, so we’re going with our original plan. Once midterms are over, let’s meet up and look for info on Madarame.” They all nodded and headed home for the day.

The last day of midterms was upon them. They all tried their hardest to reach the goal of finishing. Once they did, they all met up at the subway station. “Man, I’m glad that’s over,” Ryuji said.

Morgana popped up. “Did you fail?”

“What?! No” Ryuji answered.”I think.”

“So, what now?” Sumire asked.

“Well, we gotta meet up with Jose,” Ren said. “Once we do, we can begin our investigation.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. She turned to see a poster. “Wait, hold up.”

They all looked at her. “What’s up?” Ryuji asked.

“This poster is for an art exhibition,” Ann explained.

“...OK?” Ryuji responded.

“...For Ichiryusai Madarame” Ann finished.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“Could they be one in the same?” Sumire asked.

“Probably” Ann said. “‘Madarame’ isn’t all too common of a last name.”

“Well then, let’s head out” Ren said. They all got onto the subway leading to Kosei. Once they reached the station, they headed out.

Ann began looking around. She spotted something. She grabbed Ren’s arm. “I think that’s him again.”

“Who?” Ryuji asked.

Ren looked where Ann was looking to see if she could see anything. “Someone was following Ann yesterday.”

“For real?!” Ryuji. “Grrrrrrrrr.”

“Well, if we’re all together, they might not try anything, right?” Sumire asked.

“And if they did, I’ll take care of them,” Morgana said.

“Same,” Ryuji said, cracking his knuckles. The group walked off.

Ann kept glancing back. “He’s still there.” The group kept moving. “He keeps following us.” They kept moving. “What is going on?”

“I’d like an answer to that myself,” Ren said.

“Sounds like you have a plan, senpai” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “Follow my lead.”

A little bit later, Ann was standing in the middle of the sidewalk. The person following her approached her. Just as they were about to get close, Ann turned around, and Ren, Ryuji, and Sumire surrounded them. They found themselves face to face with a boy with blue hair and a body like a beanpole.

“Why have you been following me?!” Ann shouted at him. “Don’t think I haven’t noticed.”

“Yeah man, what gives?” Ryuji added.

The boy was in shock. “Ah! Forgive me” he said, after a few seconds of silence. “I was just captured by your beauty.”

“WHAT?!” Ann screamed, blushing.

Morgana got worried. “Is she falling for that?!”

“See, I am an artist,” the boy explained. “My name is Yusuke Kitagawa. I am a second year at Kosei high. As I was on my way to school one day, I happened to spot you, and your beauty instantly captured my imagination. I must paint you!”

“Oh, um…” Ann said.

“Hold on,” Ren said. “You’re not trying anything, are you?”

“How dare you insult me,” Yusuke said. “I am a pure and noble artist. I only wish to paint her.”

“I’m only asking because we had to deal with a huge creep recently,” Ren explained.

Yusuke was curious. He then looked them over. “Wait a minute. Those uniforms. Do you by chance go to Shujin?” They nodded. “I see.” He bowed. “My apologies. I did not mean any harm. I just have a tendency of getting carried away. I hope you find it in your hearts to forgive me.”

“It’s OK…” Ann said, twirling her hair.

“Tch. What’s with this sudden change?” Ryuji asked.

“You moron!” Morgana chided. “She’s getting charmed!”

“What?!” Ryuji exclaimed. “No way!”

“Hm?” Yusuke said. He noticed Morgana. “Are you...talking to her cat?”

“Huh? Oh, uhhhhhh” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, sorry” Ren said. “I like bringing him with me, but apparently these two have a bit of trouble getting along. You know how it can be.”

“I see,” Yusuke said. “To be honest, they seem to make a most amusing pair.”

“You don’t say,” Ren said.

“YUSUKE!” A voice shouted out. A car pulled over. The window rolled down to reveal an old gentleman. “Oh my. Who are these people?”

“Ah! Sensei” Yusuke said. “Forgive me I was just so taken in.”

The man walked out. “I see. Were you thinking of painting one of them?” Yusuke nodded. “My, what a wonderful surprise.” He turned to everyone else. “You’ll have to excuse Yusuke here. He gets lost in his own world at times.”

“...It’s fine,” Ann said, blushing.

“You can’t be serious?!” Ryuji said.

Sumire looked him over. “AH!” she yelped. “I’m sorry. It’s just, my father works for Good Morning Japan. It took me a second, but you’re the famous painter Madarame, right?”

“Oh, why indeed” Madarame answered. “You know, I have an exhibit coming up soon. Tell you what, since Yusuke has taken a shine to you, I’m going to go ahead and give you each a pass for opening day tomorrow.”

Ren smiled. “It would be an honor.”

Ryuji was confused. “Wha?”

“Splendid,” Madarame said. He got out four tickets and handed them out to everyone. “Thank you everyone. Well Yusuke, we should get going. We need to make the final preparations.”

“Huh? Yes sensei” Yusuke said. He stepped towards the car, but stopped. “Um, miss,” he looked at Ann. “Will you please consider my offer?”

Ann’s face turned red. “I’ll think about it.”

“Very well,” Yusuke said. “Thank you.” He got into the car. As he sat down, a new app loaded in on his phone. The metaverse app.

While this was happening, across the street, a street artist was selling their wares. He was a burly man with black spiked hair, a white t-shirt, and green pants. After selling one of their paintings, the customer said “Thank you!”

“No problem” he replied.

“You know, you should really consider a career in art,” the customer said. “You’re really good.”

“Nah” the artist said. He glanced across the street to see Madarame talking with some kids. “I don’t think I’d be a good fit for the art world.”

“I disagree,” the customer said. “But if you don’t feel like it, there’s not much I can do, right?”

The artist turned back to them “Right. Thank you.” The customer left. The artist looked back and saw Yusuke getting into the car with Madarame. “He’s still there…” The artist decided to pick up his things and leave.

He got back to his apartment. He lived alone. He walked up to the table and slammed his fists. “That BASTARD!” He looked down to see the plans for the exhibition hall for Madarame’s exhibit. He picked them up and remembered a conversation he had last week.

“What?” he said.

His boss was standing across from him. “I said Madarame hired our company to be the security team for his exhibit. And I want you to be the head of security.” The man looked despondent. “You’ve been saying you wanted to be the head of security for a while now. I feel like this is a good opportunity. You can still do it, right?”

The man looked at his boss. He didn’t want to protect Madarame, but he needed a gig like this. “Yeah,” he sighed.

“Very well. Look over the plans and make your arrangements.”

In the present, the man was staring at the plans. “What a joke,” he said. “I have to protect the man that ruined my life?! The man who’s ruined so many other lives?! It’s disgusting!”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Eris said. The man looked up to see her.

“Who are you?!”

“Me? I’m just a person who hates injustice, and wishes to see it corrected” Eris explained.

“If you wish to see it corrected, why don’t you correct it yourself?” the man asked.

“Oh, I’d love to,” Eris said. “But I’d much rather see you do it. After all, don’t you have a bone to pick with Madarame?”

The man seemed hesitant. “I do.”

“Then I know just the thing” Eris said. She pulled out an apple. “One bite of this, and you will be given the power to deal with Madarame once and for all.”

The man was taken by surprise. “What sort of trick is this? How’d you get in here anyway?”

Eris giggled. “I am what you would call a goddess. Simply helping those in need, such as yourself, Mr. Kosuke Ogawa.” Kosuke was shocked. “I’m not asking you to worship me. Just take a bite of this apple, and all your troubles will be long gone.”

Kosuke looked at her, and then the apple. He was a security guard. He felt this was risky. But at the same time, this was his chance. His chance to stop Madarame. His chance to stop someone still under his thumb. In a way, he felt like he’d be guarding the world from Madarame.

He grabbed it and bit into it. After he swallowed, he looked enlightened. “Of course. It’s all so clear to me now.” He started laughing maniacally. “This revenge needs an artist’s flourish!”

“I’m glad to have helped,” Eris said. She then disappeared as mysteriously appeared.

 

Notes:

Man, I REALLY wanted to get this chapter out. With this, the Madarame arc has been kickstarted. But also, Maruki is now with the thieves. I can barely contain my excitement. I've thought of so many ideas, I'm not sure I can use them all. Maybe I can, but eh. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 27: A Picture Still Unclear

Notes:

I could not hold myself back. I wanted to get this chapter done. So MERRY CHRISTMAS! Enjoy the chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After Madarame and Yusuke left Ren, Ann, Ryuji, and Sumire were standing there. Ryuji looked frustrated. “What the Hell was that Takamaki?!”

“What?” Ann said, confused.

“Don’t ‘What?’ Me!” Ryuji shouted. “You were like putty in that pretty boy’s hands. What was that about?”

“Don’t tell me…” Morgana said. “Was it… love at first sight?”

“No! Of course not” Ann said. “But… he said I was pretty enough to paint. He he. Imagine that.”

“I think it’s lovely,” Ren added.

“Wha?” Ryuji said.

“I agree,” Sumire pointed out. “It’s nice to get complimented once in a while”

“Totally” Ann said. “It’s been a while since someone complimented me and it felt genuine.”

“Genuine, huh…” Ryuji said. “Hey Ann,” Ann looked at him. “I think you’ve got a nice rack.”

Ann punched Ryuji so hard he hit the sidewalk. “NOT LIKE THAT, YOU MORON!”

Morgana giggled. “You lack tact, Ryuji.”

Ryuji got up, rubbing his sore spots. “Ugh…”

“Like this” Morgana said. “Lady Ann. You are more beautiful than any flower. More amazing than any sunset. More valuable to me than gold. You effortlessly take my breath away any time I see you.”

“Yeah! Like that” Ann pointed out. Morgana’s jaw dropped to the core of the Earth. Ren giggled slightly.

Ryuji seemed confused. “Eh, that whole spiel seems a bit too flowery and fake.”

“Maybe, but it’s effective,” Ren said. “It might even work on you.”

“Ummmmmm, no,” Ryuji said. “I would not be moved by someone telling me that I was ‘more beautiful than any flower’.”

“Well, not in those exact words,” Ren admitted, “but imagine if some cute girl walked up to you and said you’re a big, strong guy, and she had never seen a hunk of man meat like you.” Ryuji got slightly embarrassed, then chuckled a little.

Ann laughed a bit. “If that were to happen, it’d be my job to bring him back to Earth.”

“But wasn’t that what he was doing with you?” Sumire asked.

Ann looked at her, surprised. “Well...uh...I guess…sorry…”

Ryuji looked at Ann. “It’s fine,” he said. “I get it. It’s nice to receive compliments and stuff. Especially from pretty boys like him.” Ann blushed a little.

Sumire giggled. “You know, I think you two go well together.”

Ryuji and Ann got embarrassed quickly. They turned away from each other. “Huh! As if! I would never go out with a moron like him!” Ann said.

“Yeah? Well, I wouldn’t go out with you either! You’d just drive me up a wall!” Ryuji mouthed back.

Sumire didn’t know what was happening. “Um, I meant as friends…”

Ann and Ryuji were somehow even more embarrassed now. “Oh” they both said.

Ren swooped in and put her arms around the two of them. “Anyways, we have a mission to work on. Let’s go meet up with Jose and talk about it, OK?” Ren started walking off. Soon, everyone else did.

Ren looked down to see Morgana still in pain. “My… My compliment…”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK kitty” she scratched his head.

They kept walking. As they did, Ryuji felt a bit guilty. “Hey Ann,” he said. Ann looked over at him. “I, uh, didn’t know you liked that sort of flowery talk. It’s just that, since I’ve known you, you’ve always seemed so above that kind of stuff. In a way, I admire that about you.”

Ann blushed and smiled a little bit. She then got a little mad. “Now why couldn’t you have said THAT, instead of commenting on my boobs?!”

“Well, uhhhhhh” Ryuji stammered.

“Oh, come on Ann-senpai, go easy on him,” Sumire jumped in. “You can see he’s trying.”

Ann looked at Ryuji. She sighed. “Yeah, I guess. Thanks.” Ryuji cocked a grin. They kept walking.

They made it  to Kosei. “Wow. So this is Kosei” Ren remarked.

“It looks so much more impressive up close” Ann said.

“I’ve been here before,” Sumire pointed out. Everyone looked at her. “Well, uh, they were also looking at recruiting Kasumi and I, but in the end, we settled on Shujin…”

“I see,” Ren said. She slowly grabbed Sumire’s hand to show support. Sumire looked up at Ren and smiled.

“Well, now that we’re here, I guess we need to find Jose,” Ryuji said.

“Hey guys” Jose said, appearing in front of them, wearing his Kosei uniform.

Everyone was surprised. “Well that was fast” Ryuji remarked.

“I knew we were beginning our investigation today, so I waited out here” Jose said. “Are we ready?”

“Uh, yeah” Sumire said. “I think so anyway.”

“We are,” Ren said “Let’s go find someplace to meet.”

“Alright then” Jose said. They started walking off.

“By the way,” Ann said as they were walking, “you look really adorable in your uniform.”

“Heh he. Thanks” Jose said, blushing.

Ren whispered to Ryuji. “See, even Jose likes it when he gets complimented.”

Ryuji gently shoved Ren. “Shut up.” Ren giggled.

They walked to one of the subway stations, but in the middle of one of the access halls, Ryuji squatted down. “Man, between midterms and all that walking, I’m exhausted. Can we just like meet here or something?”

Ren looked around. “Sure.”

“Wait, for real?!”

Ren nodded. “I doubt we’d get interrupted. People are coming and going, so I don’t think people will notice particular parts of our conversation. If everyone’s up for it, I’m fine with meeting here.”

“Sure,” Sumire said.

“We have been walking for a while now,” Ann said.

Ren nodded. “Alright, so let’s tell Jose what we know.” They turned to Jose. “So, basically, on our way here, we saw a poster for an art exhibit by Ichiryusai Madarame.”

“Oh, so you think that that Madarame, and the Madarame mentioned are one in the same” Jose said.

“How do you know about Madarame?” Ryuji asked.

“I’m going to Kosei now,” Jose explained. “He’s known as a masterful artist. Plus, he’s mentoring a second year there.”

“Yusuke…” Ann said, slightly worried.

“Yeah. How’d you know?” Jose asked.

“Oh, well, we kind of ran into him,” Ann said.

“More like he ran into us” Ryuji snidely remarked.

“Either way, we met him and Madarame,” Ren said. She got out her phone. She looked at her teammates. “Wanna test it out?”

“It’s the only real lead we have going for us at the moment” Morgana pointed out.

“Besides, the dude seems to be heavily influential,” Ryuji stated. “Even if we do find another Madarame, I doubt they’d have as much power.”

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “Around the time he came on Good Morning Japan, I started to hear rumors as well.”

They looked at her. “What kinds of rumors?” Ann asked.

“Well… I heard that he doesn’t treat his students all too well” Sumire explained. “I also heard some mumblings about stealing, but I didn’t quite catch them. ...I’m sorry.”

Ren lifted Sumire’s face. “Hey, it’s OK. You have a lot on your mind right now. It’s OK that this slipped your mind a little.”

“Besides, we have the information now, don’t we?” Ann said. “I was only asking to see if it could help. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad.”

“Hmmmm” Ryuji wondered.

“What’s on your mind Ryuji?” Jose asked.

“It’s just,” Ryuji began, “if Madarame is as big in the art world as he’s been made out to be, why would he steal? Or what for that matter? He could probably buy whatever he wanted to right?”

“Actually, according to Madarame himself, he prefers a more humble life” Jose said. “He lives in a small shack that by any definition wouldn’t be considered extravagant.”

“You’re kidding,” Ryuji said. “That seems odd.”

“Well, I guess we’d need to investigate, but I think we might have a good foothold to begin with,” Ren said. She raised her phone to her face. “Ichiryusai Madarame.”

“Match found” the phone replied.

“Woah! So it is him!” Ryuji said, surprised and excited.

Ren raised her finger at him. She looked at the phone. Much like last time, Madarame’s name was in black. Similarly, there was room for one more line of text to be in black, and another for white text. Ren spoke again. “Shack.” “Match found” her phone said, revealing the second line of black text.

“For real?!” Ryuji shouted. “How’d you figure that out?”

“Well, I guessed that it couldn’t be the exhibit because that’s only for a limited time” Ren explained. “It was the only other location we could link Madarame to.”

“Oh. I see” Ryuji said.

“So, we have two of the words, but we don’t know the third” Ann surmised.

“And THAT’S the take over word” Morgana reiterated.

“Which means what, exactly?” Sumire asked.

Ren looked at her phone. “It means it’s the word the attacker is using to morph Madarame’s distortion. For Shiho, it was ‘Revolution.’”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“Well, two outta three ain’t bad” Ryuji said.

“Well that’s true, but we do need all the words to begin an infiltration” Morgana reminded him.

“Well, we have the perfect chance to investigate” Ann said, holding her ticket out.

“What is that?” Jose asked.

“Oh, right, sorry” Ann said. “When we met up with Madarame, he gave us tickets to his exhibit. But since you weren’t there…”

“Oh” Jose said. “Well don’t worry. All Kosei students were gifted a free pass for the exhibit. The teachers told us it would be helpful to see such mastery.”

“Oh” Ann said. “Well then, it seems like we’re all set. Let’s all meet up and head there tomorrow.”

“But what would that do?” Sumire asked. “Sorry. I don’t mean to be rude, but we already know the stuff we’re getting from Madarame after all.”

“No, that’s actually a pretty good question,” Morgana said.

“I agree,” Ren said. “So here’s what’s up. Whoever is taking over has to know Madarame to some extent. The fact that they’re already taking over means that they have to be close. So we might be able to find them and figure something out.”

“I see,” Sumire said. “What a wonderful plan.”

“Well then, I don’t know about you, but I’m a bit exhausted,” Ren said. “I’m going to go relax now that midterms are over.”

“Same,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “Let’s meet here tomorrow.” They all nodded and headed back.

Meanwhile, Kosuke entered Leblanc. Sojiro looked at him. “How may I help you?”

Kosuke looked around. “Ah, sorry” he said. He sat at the counter. “I heard about this place from a few friends, and I wanted to see if it’s the real deal. I’m starting a new job tomorrow, and I’m looking to celebrate.”

Sojiro was confused. “Don’t people usually go to bars for that?”

“And be hung over first day on the job? No way” Kosuke said.

Sojiro smiled. “Well then, what can I get you.”

“You know what?” Kosuke said. “I trust you. Dealer’s choice.”

“Hm, very well.” Sojiro got him a cup of coffee and some curry. “Here you go.” Kosuke began dining. “Mmmm. This is very good.” Once he finished, he turned to Sojiro and said “Thank you very much. This was delicious.”

“You’re welcome,” Sojjrio replied.

Kosuke put some money on the table. “Keep the change.”

“Oh, uh, thank you, sir” Sojiro said.

Kosuke looked around. “You know, I think her work would have suited this place.”

Sojiro was concerned. “Who?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing” Kosuke said. “I’m just talking to myself. Thanks again.” He left.

“Man, what a strange guy,” Sojiro said. “He seems nice enough though.” Ren walked in. “You’re back? How are you doing?”

Ren yawned. “I’m a little tired. Midterms and all.”

“Well, I’m glad you’re taking your studies seriously,” Sojiro said.

“I’m going to my room to relax for the rest of the day.”

Ren started walking. “Hold up,” Sojiro said. Ren stopped. “I just had a generous customer come in. Here.” He gave her some of the extra money.

Ren smiled. “Thanks.” She continued upstairs where she vegged out for the rest of the day.

The next day, Ren, Morgana, Ann, Ryuji, Sumire, and Jose met at the access hall. “So, ready to see if we can’t find anything?” Ann asked.

Ren nodded. “Let’s go.” They walked to the exhibit.

When they entered, they were a bit overwhelmed by the large presence. Sumire grabbed onto Ren’s jacket. Ren looked at her. She reached her hand over Sumire and placed it on her shoulder, rubbing it. “So, this is the art world” Ryuji remarked.

“Ah, you made it,” Yusuke said. They all turned to face him. “Huh.”

“What is it?” Ann asked.

Yusuke stared at them. “To be honest, I wasn’t sure if you all were coming.” Yusuke turned to Jose. “Wait, aren’t you that new student?”

Jose nodded. “Yup. I’m their friend.”

“Yeah, we were going to meet him when we met up” Ann said.

“I see,” Yusuke said. “Well, I’m glad that you’re here. Have you thought about my offer yet?”

“Well, uhhhh” Ann said.

“Hm” Yusuke said. “I see you’re still indecisive. Well perhaps a tour of the exhibit will change your mind.” He offered his hand. “What do you say, Miss… uh…”

Ann chuckled. “Takamaki. Ann Takamaki.”

Yusuke smiled. “Very well. Will you please accompany me, Takamaki-san.”

“Uh, sure!” Ann said, taking his hand. Morgana’s and Ryuji’s faces turned pale.

“Very well. Let’s go!” Yusuke said. The two of them walked off.

“Why’d she do that?!” Ryuji yelped.

“No, this is good,” Ren said. “If we split up, we can cover more ground.” Sumire gripped Ren tighter. “But I think some of us are better sticking together.”

“That’s it… It’s just tactical…” Morgana said.

“So, how about you and I go together, Ryuji?” Jose asked.

Ryuji was confused. “Us two?”

Jose nodded. “We’re friends, but I sense you don’t know or care that much about art like this. As a Kosei student, I shall take you along and help you understand.”

“Um, but, we are also going to look for information, right?” Ryuji said, worried.

“Yep,” Jose said. “Now follow me!” Jose grabbed Ryuji’s arm and the two of them split off.

Ren looked at Sumire. “Well, then it’s just the three of us. Let’s get going.”

“...Three of us?” Sumire asked.

“Did you forget about me?!” Morgana shrieked.

“Not so loud!” Ren said, trying to muffle Morgana.

“Oh, right,” Sumire said. She giggled. “Sorry Morgana-senpai.”

Morgana reveled in being called ‘senpai’ again. “All is forgiven.” They walked off.

Each group looked around the exhibit. They were impressed with what they saw. They also kept their eyes and ears open for anything suspicious.

Soon, a bunch of reporters came in. They passed by Ren, Sumire, and Morgana. However, the last reporter was stopped by two security guards. “What?” she said.

“Madarame told us not to let you in,” one of them said.

“Come on guys, it’s just an exhibit,” the reporter said.

“Sorry. Them’s the breaks” the other guard said. They began to forcefully escort her out.

“Hey! Let me go!” the reporter said, shaking the guards off. “I can leave myself.” She began leaving. Ren and Sumire looked at each other and nodded. They left to follow the reporter.

“Excuse me?” Ren said, getting the reporter’s attention. “Um, why did Madarame have you kicked out?”

“Tch” the reporter scoffed. “He just doesn’t like me because I’m on to something.”

“Like what?” Ren asked.

“I’m not telling you!” the reporter said. “I’m not going to give away any juicy info.”

Ren seemed defeated. Sumire felt like she had to do something. “Well, what if we gave you some info? Then it would be a fair exchange.”

Ren, Morgana, and the reporter were shocked. “Ha ha. You’ve got guts kid. I like that. OK, what information can you give me?”

Sumire was in shock. “...I’ve got guts?... Ah! Sorry. No one’s ever told me that before.”

“Ha ha!” the reporter laughed. “It’s alright.”

Sumire refocused. “Well… I’ve heard Madarame has a history of abusing his students… And I’ve also heard a few things about him stealing something… But that’s all I know for sure…”

The reporter looked at them. “Huh. Well, I’ve definitely heard about the abuse…” Sumire seemed disappointed, “but the stealing thing is new to me,” Sumire perked up. “Huh. Alright, I’ll give that to ya. So, where did you hear this?”

“Huh?” Sumire said.

“Well, if I wish to continue investigating, I need to know sources” the reporter explained.

“Oh, um, gosh, I don’t want to get anyone in trouble…” Sumire stammered.

“Ha ha! Aren’t you just the sweetest thing?” the reporter said. “Relaaaaaax. I promise I won’t name names.”

Sumire was still a little hesitant. “...Good Morning Japan. Ssssssome of the crew were talking about it behind the scenes.”

The reporter was surprised. “Wow, I’m impressed. Alright, a deal’s a deal. So, I have heard tales that if someone becomes Madarame’s pupil, and he isn’t impressed with you, he will make sure you don’t have a career in art. I haven’t heard anything about a new Madarame pupil emerging onto the art scene for a while now, and that couple with the abuse rumors has me worried.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Thanks.” They were about to leave

“Wait!” the reporter said. She got out two business cards. “Here. In case you find anything else juicy.” She gave them to Ren and Sumire, and walked off. They looked to find her name. “Ichiko Ohya.”

Meanwhile, Ryuji and Jose stayed behind when the news cavalcade came in. The reporters surrounded Madarame. They heard him give a few folksy answers. “Man, this stinks, let’s keep a move on” Ryuji said.

“Wait,” Jose said. “This is our subject, no? We might earn something.” Ryuji stuck around.

They watched Madarame give more answers. However, someone caught his attention: Kosuke. He turned back to the crowd. “I’m terribly sorry, but that’s all I have time for right now” Madarame said. “However, I will be available for the remainder of this exhibit. So no need to worry.” He walked past the reporters toward Kosuke.

“Woah! Did you see that?” Ryuji wondered.

Jose nodded. “Let’s follow them.”

“Right,” Ryuji said. “Oh, but uh, be careful. We don’t want to be spotted by him.”

“Noted,” Jose said. The two of them followed Madarame, and managed to not be seen by him.

Madarame confronted Kosuke. “I thought I told you to never show your face to me again! Do you still have foolish dreams of being an artist?”

“Heh heh” Kosuke said. “As much as I wouldn’t like to see your face again either, it can’t be helped. See, I’m the head of the security team.” Madarame was shocked, as were Ryuji and Jose. “I’m not on duty as a security guard today, so I thought I’d come by and see how everything was going. Has the security team been to your liking?”

Madarame was unsure of what was happening. “...Yes” he replied.

“Good. We wouldn’t want anything to happen to you” Kosuke said. ”After all, you’re important.” Madarame shuttered at that. “So, enjoy the adoration, Madarame.” Kosuke grinned menacingly. “It’ll be the last time you ever will.” Kosuke walked off.

Madarame was still a bit shaken up. However, he composed himself. “Hm. What can he do?” Madarame walked off as well.

Ryuji and Jose turned to each other. “Well, I think we’ve found who’s corrupting Madarame’s distortion.”

“Indeed” Jose said. “But don’t you think Madarame was taking this a bit too well?”

“Nah, that’s just his pride talking,” Ryuji explained. “Which means he’s rotten to the core.”

“I… don’t get this,” Jose explained.

“Don’t worry” Ryuji smiled. “Just like you know art, I know scum like him well. Basically, what’s happening is that even though Madarame got threatened, he’s still holding onto his glory because he thinks that whatever that guy does won’t be worse than what Madarame is hiding.”

“I see…” Jose said. “So, if a human is too proud, they will fail to admit certain things.”

“Yeah, you’re getting it,” Ryuji said. “Let’s see if we can’t find anything else.” Jose nodded and the two of them continued.

Ann was being led around by Yusuke. He was pointing out all of the different intricacies in the art pieces. Ann was impressed. They came to a certain piece. Ann looked at it with high interest. “Hey Yusuke, can you tell me about this one?”

Yusuke looked at it and was frozen. “Urgh. Um, there’s not much to say here…”

“Really?” Ann said. She looked at it again. “But it’s so well done. I think this might be my favorite piece so far.”

“That’s preposterous!” Yusuke said, trying to conceal a blush. “Now let’s move on.”

“Woah, what’s the rush?” someone said. The two kids turned to see Kosuke. Kosuke walked forward. He looked at the painting. “My, it is indeed wonderful.”

“That’s enough!” Yusuke continued.

“Oh, don’t be so modest,” Kosuke said. “After all, you made this right?”

Yusuke was shocked. Ann was confused. “Wait…” she said. “She looked at the plaque by the piece. “But it says it was done by Madarame.”

“Oops,” Kosuke said, disingenuously. “Well, I guess the cat’s out of the bag now. Oh well.”

“Leave at once,” Yusuke demanded.

“Hm. Very well” Kosuke said. “But soon, you won’t have to worry about this kind of thing ever happening again. You can trust your big bro Kosuke, right?” He waited for an answer that Yusuke wasn’t ready to provide. “Well, seeya.” He waved and walked off.

Yusuke was shaken. Ann looked mournful. “...Kitagawa-kun.”

Yusuke was alerted to reality once more. “Ah. My apologies. Please let nothing of what that vagrant may have said dissuade you from becoming my model. Ah. Let us exchange numbers.” Ann threw him a bone. “Thank you. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to… uh…”

Ann smiled. “I understand.”

“Thank you” Yusuke said, bowing. He walked off.

Ann frowned. She looked at the painting once more and smiled. If it would look that good, then I’d let him do it. She then focused. But I think we need to take care of some business first.

After their exploration through the museum, the thieves all met up outside by the entrance. “So, how’d it go on your guys’s end?” Morgana asked. “Did that Yusuke character try anything funny Lady Ann?”

Ann looked sad. “No… But I found out some things.”

“What are they?” Ren asked.

“Well, I figured out what Sumire was talking about when she said Madarame was stealing,” Ann elaborated. “Madarame is stealing the art of his pupils!”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelled. “That’s INSANE!”

“How do you know?” Jose asked.

Ann looked a little sad. “Well, some guy came up to us when we were looking at a painting. Yusuke was acting weird about it, and the guy said Yusuke painted it.”

“I see,” Jose said.

“Wait” Ryuji interjected. “This guy? Did he look really strong and have spiked-up hair?”

“Ummmm, yeah,” Ann answered. “How’d you know that.”

“Tch. They guy also had a run-in with Madarame where he threatened the dude” Ryuji explained.

“What?!” Ann exclaimed.

“Well, at least we know he won’t get back in,” Sumire said. “The security team is top notch.”

“Yeah, we saw them kick someone out before they got within ten feet of Madarame,” Ren added.

“I’d like to agree with you, but the man said he was the head of security,” Jose explained, shocking everyone.

“Yeah. Dude has a full access pass to Madarame so long as this exhibit is going” Ryuji added.

“Well then, it seems like we have a deadline,” Morgana added.

“So, did you find anything on your end?” Jose asked Ren.

“Well, it’s not as much as you two…” Ren said, embarrassed. “But we learned that Madarame will make sure pupils of his won’t have an art career if they don’t live up to his standards. And it seems he has some pretty high standards.”

“Tch. The dude’s a dirtbag!” Ryuji shouted.

“But we’re still no closer to figuring out that third word” Sumire pointed out.

Ren smiled. “Well the information we have is great. We know who is taking over Madarame’s distortion, we know how much time we have, and we can confirm that we have the right Madarame.”

“Wait that’s it!” Ann said. “Why don’t we ask that Nakanohara guy for more information? He might have some good insight.”

“Good idea,” Ren said. “I’ll contact Mishima in the morning to see if we can set that up.”

“All and all, I’d say we did great today,” Morgana said. “We’re this much closer on our next target. Full steam ahead!” Everyone nodded, then they all went home.

The next morning, Ren got an urgent message from Mishima. 

Mishima: HEY! We need to talk!

Ren: Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing.

Ren: What’s up?

Mishima: A user by the name of “hidden_kitsune” contacted me personally and asked if I knew who you were.

Mishima: He wants to set up a meeting.

Mishima: He says he thinks he knows how you do your Phantom Thieving!

Ren looked at her phone. “Oh damn.”

Notes:

The reason I changed up Ohya's introduction is because I'm changing up how we get introduced to Madarame's palace, as evidenced by that last conversation. I mean, that's not all too dramatic of a change, I just felt like pointing it out. I feel like a lot of the changes are self-evident, and people do seem to like them enough, but I am always a little worried about that.

Also, yeah, I'm pulling the trigger on the "Ryuji/Ann" tag. I'm a Ryuji/Ann shipper. Sue me. I hope this doesn't dissuade you from continuing onwards.

Chapter 28: Thieves in a Palace

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren looked at the information on her phone. Mishima told her that someone told him that they might know how they operate. Obviously, if this were true, it would be somewhat troublesome. Ren needed answers.

Ren: So, when you say “personally”...?

Mishima: They private messaged my admin account.

Ren: You have multiple accounts?

Mishima: Yeah. To keep people off the trail.

Mishima: But that’s not the point.

Mishima: Do you think this is true?

Ren had to think.

Ren: I’m not sure.

Ren: I’d have to discuss this with the others.

Ren: Did they say anything else?

Mishima: They wanted to meet behind Kosei.

Ren: That’s weirdly specific.

Mishima: I know, right?

Ren: Do they need an answer right away?

Mishima: Well, they would like one.

Mishima: They said “if you know the Phantom Thieves, please tell them. It is with the utmost urgency that I meet with them.”

Ren: Well, OK.

Ren: I’ll talk it over.

Ren: Thanks.

Mishima: NP

Mishima: And good luck.

Ren switched her chat to the Phantom Thief chat.

Ren: Guys, we may have a problem.

Ann: When you say that, it sounds serious.

Ryuji: It can’t be that bad.

Ren: Someone may have stumbled onto the Metaverse.

Ryuji: …

Ryuji: I take it back.

Sumire: May have?

Ren: It doesn’t sound like they’re sure, or would know what they’re dealing with.

Jose: Makes sense.

Ren: They want to meet with us right away.

Ren: I think we need to discuss this at lunch break.

Ryuji: Sounds good to me.

Ann: Oh, but Jose can’t be part of the conversation.

Jose: Don’t worry about me.

Jose: I’ll follow your lead.

Ren: Very well.

Ren: We’ll tell you afterward.

Ren: For the rest of you, let’s meet on the roof at lunch.

Sumire: Roger.

Ren was blushing from Sumire’s response. “So cute.” She prepared for school, and headed off.

At lunch, the five of them were on the roof, where Ren explained what Mishima had told them. “So,” Ann began surmising, “this ‘hidden_kitsune’ person messaged Mishima saying that they may know how we change hearts, and they want to meet us behind Kosei.”

“Pretty much,” Ren said.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. “Do you think they know?”

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “The question is do we take the meeting?”

“Well, I think we gotta,” Ryuji answered.

“But how?” Ann asked. “This isn’t a thing we can just ask.” “Yeah, but what other choice do we have?” Ryuji argued back. “If they know, it’d be a problem.”

“If they didn’t know, it’d also be a problem,” Ann pointed out.

“Know what?” said an unfamiliar voice. They turned to find Makoto Nijima.

“Uh, nothing,” Ryuji said. “It’s just a thing between us friends.”

“Uh, yeah” Ann said. “Just a little inside joke.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“What are you doing here anyways?” Ryuji inquired. “Shouldn’t you be off studying?”

“Or getting the teacher’s coffee?” Ann added.

“Um, aren’t you being a little harsh?” Sumire pointed out.

“Thank you,” Makoto said. She turned back to Ann and Ryuji. “I think you two should take a page out of her book.”

“Tch, I don’t care,” Ryuji said. “You’re just as bad as the teachers.”

“Yeah” Ann said with vitriol.

“Um, who are you?” Ren asked.

“Oh, my apologies,” Makoto said. “My name is Makoto Nijima. I am the student council president. I’m sorry I didn’t take the time to meet with you sooner.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“I bet she’s up here because the principal asked her to be,” Ryuji said.

“Well, not exactly” Makoto whispered to herself. She stood her ground. “I’ve heard rumors of students coming up here who aren’t permitted to. Tell me, what club are you in that allows you access to the roof?”

“Club?” Ryuji gasped.

“If you’re not part of any club, you aren’t allowed to meet on the roof,” Makoto insisted.

“Ugh, fine, we’ll get off” Ann said. “But can we finish what we were doing?”

Makoto looked at them sternly. “The punk former track star, the girl in all the Kamoshida rumors, the honor’s ballet student, and the transfer student. Quite an eclectic bunch.”

“What is this, an interrogation?” Ryuji said.

“I’m just amazed that the four of you are together,” Makoto replied.

“Well, a friendship like ours isn’t based on cliques, or the like,” Ann explained, “it comes from the heart.”

I see,” Makoto said. She turned to Ren. “By the way, I’ve been informed of your circumstances. I have yet to hear of any major problems from you. I take it that you’re adjusting well.”

Ren cocked her head. “Well, thanks to my friends here, yeah.”

“Hm. Interesting” Makoto said. She turned around. “I will allow you to finish up here, but after today only those allowed on the roof may come up here.”

“Oh, uh, thanks…” Ann said, slightly taken aback. Makoto left the roof.

“That was close,” Morgana said, coming in.

“I know right?” Ryuji added.

“Again, I think you might have been a little too harsh with her,” Sumire said.

“But she’s the student council president,” Ryuji replied. “She’s on the side of the school. If she found out what we’ve been doing, she’ll just tell the principal.”

“Maybe,” Sumire said, “but I don’t think that’s a reason to be mean to her.”

“Maybe…” Ann said. “But after the whole Kamoshida incident, it’s kind of hard to know who to trust in this school.”

“Well… maybe you could talk to Dr. Maruki about that…” Sumire said.

Ann seemed confused. “Really?”

Sumire nodded. “He did seem like he really wanted to help, even if some of his helpfulness was misguided. But I understand if you’d have trouble trusting him too.”

“Well, I guess it’s better than nothing,” Ann said. “But I think I’ll do that later. Right now, we have an important matter to discuss.”

“Right Lady Ann,” Morgana said. “What do we do about this person who contacted Mishima?”

“Hmmmmmm” they all thought.

“We don’t want to give ourselves away,” Ann reminded them.

“But we can’t do nothing,” Ryuji retorted. “If this person DOES have the information, we need to know how and why it slipped out.”

“Hold on. Why contact Mishima-senpai in the first place?” Sumire asked. “If they know how we operate, why meet with us at all?”

They all looked at Sumire. “That’s a very good point,” Morgana said.

“Indeed” Ren replied. “If they know and aren’t going to the police about it, they have to be uncertain about something.”

“Or they at least know that telling the police about a mysterious parallel world, it’ll only make you look crazy” Ann pointed out.

“Yeah. I mean, if they thought we were intimidating people, and supposedly witnessed it, the police are more likely to believe that” Ryuji added.

“So, it stands to reason that maybe this person DOES know,” Morgana said. “The only question is are they friend or foe? This whole meeting could be a trap.”

“Hm. As much as I don’t like it, I have to agree” Ren said. “What if we send someone in while the rest of us hang back. Then they’ll message us if everything’s above level.”

“Ooooo, I like that idea,” Ann said.

“But who do we send in?” Ryuji asked.

“I’ll go,” Ren replied.

“NO!” Sumire blurted out. “Sorry, it’s just that… well… if something were to happen…”

“She's right,” Ryuji said. “If there ARE cops, you’ll be screwed. ESPECIALLY with your record.”

“Besides, you’re our leader” Ann said. “Who’ll call the shots if you’re gone?”

“I could do that,” Morgana pouted.

“Morgana, now’s not the time for jokes,” Ryuji said.

“WHAT?! Say that to my face!” Morgana hissed back.

“Um, I know this is unconventional, but what about Jose?” Sumire said.

“Jose?” Ann asked.

Sumire nodded. “Of course, I don’t want anything bad to happen, but if something did, and he couldn’t escape, I don’t think they’d have anything on him.”

“Hmmmm” Ren thought. “She has a point. He’s in no way linked to Shujin, so there’s no motive for him to go after Kamoshida.”

“Also, he didn’t technically exist in our world until a little over a week ago,” Ryuji pointed out.

“That too,” Ren said.

“Hmmm. I’m still worried they might not know about the metaverse” Ann worried.

Ren looked around. “Don’t worry. We have the perfect method for testing that.”

“We do? What is it?” Morgana asked. Ren looked at him menacingly. “M-ME?!”

“It makes sense,” Ren said. “If someone’s been to the metaverse, they can hear you.”

“So, you want to send me in there with Jose and see if this person can hear me” Morgana reiterated.

“That sounds to be the plan,” Ren said.

“Maybe we can get a disguise for Jose,” Ryuji said excitedly. “So that way we know he’s safe.”

“Oo! And it could hide Morgana as well!” Ann said. “That way, we’ll have an advantage walking in.”

“It sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said. “So now let’s vacate the premises before Miss Student Council comes back.” They nodded and left. They explained the plan to Jose via text. Jose agreed to it eagerly, and said he could provide the costume. They agreed to meet in an alley by Kosei after school.

“Are we ready?” Jose asked.

“I think so,” Ren answered.

“Um, where did you get that costume?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh this?” Jose said, holding up a black robe. “I borrowed it from the theater department. I left a note promising to bring it back.”

“...I see,” Ryuji said.

Jose donned the robes. “OK Mr. Morgana. Come here.” Morgana was hesitant, but he jumped into Jose’s arms. Jose hid him with the sleeves. “Alright. Once I get the information, I’ll contact you right away.” Jose started walking off.

“Jose wait!” Sumire called out. She walked up to him and flipped his hood up. “There we go.”

“Thanks Sumire,” Jose said. He continued.

The thieves waved at them as they left. “I hope he’ll be alright,” Sumire said.

Jose sneaked his way to the back of Kosei. “Be careful” Morgana whispered.

“Don’t worry. You’re in good hands” Jose reminded him. Morgana wasn’t sure about that, but didn’t feel like arguing.

Eventually, they found themselves behind Kosei. There was only one person there, and much to their surprise, they recognized them. It was Yusuke. Jose shook Morgana gently to remind him to play his part. Morgana looked through the sleeves. “...Are you ‘hidden_kitsune’?”

“Huh?” Yusuke responded. “Why, yes I am. Are you one of the Phantom Thieves?”

So he CAN hear me Morgana thought to himself. Morgana continued. “You know this is a huge risk for me and my associates. How do we know you don’t have police officers waiting to arrest us?”

Yusuke seemed surprised. “I… I hadn’t thought of ambushing you. I see.. I still have a lot to learn it appears.”

Morgana was confused. His words seem sincere, but did that really not cross his mind? “Why did you contact us?”

Yusuke looked at them. “Well, I believe I know how you operate, and I want answers.”

“What kind of answers?” Morgana asked.

Yusuke was silent for a second. “What kind of place was that? Why do those things say they serve Madarame? Who was that other thief threatening to kill Madarame? And what happens if the Phantom Thieves don’t do anything?”

Morgana felt like Yusuke could be trusted. He looked up. “What do you think?”

“I think it’s safe,” Jose said. Yusuke was shocked. Morgana jumped out of the sleeve, while Jose took his hood off and messaged the group.

“Wait, you’re that new student,” Yusuke said. “You’re a Phantom Thief?”

“Yup,” Jose said.

“How did you change your voice so dramatically?” Yusuke asked.

“It’s because he wasn’t speaking,” Morgana said.

“WHAT?! A talking cat?! Oh my” Yusuke said.

Ren, Ann, Ryuji, and Sumire entered the scene. “Woah!” Ryuji said.

“Kitagawa-kun?! You’re ‘hidden_kitsune’?” Ann said.

“Takamaki-san?” Yusuke said, equally surprised. “You’re a Phantom Thief?”

“Ummm, yeah” Ann said. “We all are. That’s Ren, Ryuji, Sumire, you already know Jose, and right there is Morgana.”

“Hi,” Morgana said.

Yusuke looked the group over. “I see…”

“So, I’m guessing you want answers, right?” Ren asked. Yusuke nodded. “Well, let’s start with what you know. I feel like it’ll be easier that way.”

“Of course,” Yusuke said. “Last night, Madarame was burgled.”

“WOAH! Someone robbed Madarame?” Ryuji asked.

“No,” Yusuke replied. “Robbery is a crime that involves the use of violent acts upon someone in order to steal something. Burglary is a crime where someone just breaks into a structure that doesn’t belong to them in order to steal something.”

“Oh.. OK…” Ryuji said.

“Anyways,” Yusuke continued, “I heard some rumbling in the middle of the night, which woke me up. I went to investigate, and I saw someone breaking the lock on the door to Madarame’s secret room. A few seconds later, I saw him running out with something. I tried following him, but to no avail. Once he got a few blocks away, I lost him.”

“Wait, you chased him for a few blocks?” Ann asked. “That’s kind of impressive.”

“When I returned home, Madarame had woken up” Yusuke kept going. “He told me his security system was alerted and wondered what happened. However, when I explained everything, I got a… rather surprising response.”

“No Yusuke” Madarame told him. “I already checked. Nothing was stolen.”

“What?!” Yusuke said in shock. “But I clearly saw him make off with something. I chased him down to try and stop him.”

“And you did,” Madarame said. “You prevented him from taking anything. Good job Yusuke.”

“But no!” Yusuke said. “He had something in his arms.”

“Yusuke…” Madarame said calmly, but clearly indicating he was upset. “He didn’t take anything and that’s what we’re going to tell the police when they get here.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said upon hearing that. “That’s effed up!”

“So, what did you do?” Sumire asked.

“...I let Madarame talk with the police,” Yusuke answered. “I was still so stunned, both by the actions of the burglar, and Madarame. Once the police left, Madarame headed inside. I was still outside thinking to myself. As I was pondering, I ended up getting transported to a world beyond my imagination.”

“What did you say?” Ren asked.

Yusuke was surprised. We flash back to Yusuke standing in front of his home and wonder “Who would want to burgle Madarame-sensei’s shack?”

“Calculating” his phone said.

“Huh?” Yusuke said. Suddenly, the world started changing around him.

In the present, Yusuke held out his phone. It showed the app, and the three words to get into Madarame’s palace: Madarame, Shack, and, in white, Burglary. “Apparently, this app had gotten onto my phone and it transported me to that other world.”

“Sorry,” Ren said. “That must have happened when we ran into each other.”

“I see,” Yusuke said.

“So, what happened on the other side?” Ann asked.

“Ah, well, when I had arrived, I was a lot more confused,” Yusuke said.

“What’s going on?” Yusuke wondered at the entrance to Madarame’s palace. Yusuke looked at what Madarame’s humble abode had become: A giant museum adorned in gold. However, dotted along it were these splotches of ink, and in front of it was a lot of police tape.

Yusuke didn’t know what was going on. “What is this abomination?” he asked. “This gold covered building that only speaks to one’s own high praises. Even if it wasn’t messed up by those ink splotches, it would still be truly grotesque.”

“Hey!” a shadow called out. Yusuke turned to face it. It was dressed as a police officer. “Are you the one that wishes to steal from Lord Madarame’s museum?”

“Museum?” Yusuke. “You could hardly call that thing a building, let alone a museum.”

“HOW DARE YOU DISRESPECT LORD MADARAME!” the shadow screamed. Just as it was about to attack Yusuke, the shadow was hit with ink. “What the?”

A sudden punch from a mysterious figure, and the shadow was no more. Yusuke looked over this mystery person. They were big and strong. They had a white shirt and black pants. His head and his hands were made up of ink. And in his head were these white pupil-less eyes and a smile of sharp white teeth.

Yusuke was panicking. “Heh he he” the figure said. “Don’t be scared. I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.  In fact, I could use your help with something” He walked over. Yusuke was confused, but followed.

Yusuke approached a big mural. On it was a painting of the exhibit building, and falling off of it was Madarame. Below him was a pile of flames. “What is this?”

“Heh, you like?” the figure said. “I’m thinking of debuting it on the final day of the exhibit. But I feel like it’s missing something. Yusuke. You’re the best artist I know. What do you think?”

Yusuke looked the image over. “Are you intending to do this in real life?”

“Yes,” the figure said. “I call it ‘The Fall of the Artist’. It’s poetic, really. As Madarame falls literally, it will be symbolic of his fall from grace when I tell the public who he really is, as well as his descent into the flames of Hell itself. Truly a fitting end to that monster.”

Yusuke was unnerved. “Well, if you wish to go through with that, I doubt most people would recognize the symbolism. If he falls, most people are going to pay attention to the bloody mess that ensues.”

“You’re RIGHT Yusuke!” the figure said. “That’s EXACTLY what’s missing. And I know just what to do.” He splashed some ink on the painting. The ink dissolved, revealing a noose around Madarame’s neck. “It’s perfect. Even as his body stops, his soul will continue to fall. Imagine it. Falling forever into darker and darker territory from his perch high upon the art world. He will no longer be adored. He will be ridiculed. He will be PUNISHED!”

“Hold on,” Ryuji said, interrupting. “You… You told this guy how to more artfully murder Madarame?”

“Well, he was asking an art question,” Yusuke explained. “As an artist, I had to help.”

“...That’s ...not the point,” Ryuji said.

Ren sighed. “Please continue,” she instructed.

“Naturally, I was horrified,” Yusuke said.

“You can’t kill Madarame!” he told the figure.

The figure laughed. “Madarame keeps doing whatever the Hell he wants. Time and time again, he will punish those who oppose him ever so slightly. He is so absorbed with himself that he forgets that other people have feelings. I will put a stop to it!”

“But this is wrong,” Yusuke said.

“Heh” the figure chuckled. “Don’t worry. I wouldn’t expect you to understand or follow me in this. After all, you still have a future.” He pointed behind Yusuke. “Just keep going straight and you will leave. I promise you.”

Yusuke wasn’t sure how to handle this, but he did want to leave. Well, whoever this figure is, they defeated that other thing with one punch. If they did wish to see my demise, they would have done so by now. Yusuke nodded and walked off.

“After that I found myself back in the real world” Yusuke finished. “When I came to school this morning, I used one of the computers to contact the admin to get in contact with you.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Now that I have laid my soul bare, perhaps you would be obliged to do the same” Yusuke said.

“Of course” Ren said. She explained to Yusuke about all of the intricacies of the metaverse, Eris, palaces, and Persona, as well as everything they’ve heard about Madarame, with the help of her teammates of course.

“Huh. How amusing” Yusuke said.

“...That’s a bit of an odd reaction,” Morgana said.

“Well, I’ve already seen this metaverse” Yusuke explained. “I have no reason to doubt anything you just said.”

“...I guess…” Morgana said.

“If you think about it, it’s a nice outlook to have,” Sumire said.

“So Yusuke,” Ann said. “If we wish to stop whoever’s doing this, that means we’re going to have to change Madarame’s heart. Are you able to handle that?” Yusuke went silent. “It’s just… you got defensive when that guy called Madarame out in front of us yesterday. Are… are you able to handle anything that comes out about Madarame?”

Yusuke stood still. “The truth is, I’ve known about Madarame’s… less glamorous side for quite some time now. But, it was always hard for me to say anything. My father died before I was born, and my mother died when I was only three. Madarame has taken care of me my whole life.

I couldn’t… oppose that. He was kind enough to take me in when I had nowhere else to go. I don’t know how to oppose that.” Yusuke steeled his resolve. “But I would rather not let him die. If the choice is between that and facing my insecurities, then so be it. I will see this through.”

Ann was impressed. “Yusuke.”

“Come! I shall guide you” Yusuke said. “To the palace!”

“Wait, you’re coming too?!” Ryuji shouted.

“Why not? I’ve been there before” Yusuke answered.

“He’s not wrong,” Jose said.

“Plus he has the app” Ren pointed out. “That has to mean something.” Ryuji relented.

“Oh, wait,” Jose said. I have to do something quick. I’ll be right back.” He left. A few minutes later he came back with his own clothes. “Alright, now that that robe has been returned to the theater department, let’s go.” They nodded and started heading off.

“Oh, by the way,” Ann asked, “could you tell us more about that Kosuke guy?”

“How do you know his name?” Ryuji asked.

Ann sighed. “When he was talking to Yusuke yesterday, he referred to himself as ‘big bro Kosuke’.”

“Huh” Ryuji said.

Yusuke seemed a bit embarrassed. “Kosuke Ogawa. He was one of Madarame’s pupils up until a few years ago. He had been working under Madarame for quite some time. However, things got really heated between the two of them.

As you mentioned, I haven’t seen a pupil of Madarame’s become an artist of their own merit. Almost all of them had left. But with Kosuke, it was different. Kosuke threatened Madarame as he left. Although, it has yet to come to anything.”

“Yeah, until now” Ryuji jumped in. Yusuke was curious. “We believe he’s the guy taking over Madarame’s place.”

“Huh” Yusuke said. “I guess it makes sense.” They arrived at Madarame’s. “Alright, we are here.”

“Very well,” Ren said. She took out her phone. “Madarame. Shack. Burglary.”

“Navigating” her phone said. The world warped around them. “You have arrived.

Yusuke saw everyone in their Phantom Thief attire. “Oh my!”

Ren was confused. “I thought we told you about our outfits. Did we not?”

“No, you did,” Yusuke said. “But seeing them in another thing entirely.”

Ryuji looked up. “Well, I could say the same to you.” All the thieves were now looking at the museum.

“How gauche” Ann remarked.

“Truly, a horrific addition to the skyline” Morgana remarked.

“Let’s bring it down!” Ren said, rallying her team.

“YEAH!” they all cheered.

“Yusuke!” called out Madarame’s voice. They all looked and saw a fleet of shadows guarding Madarame. However this Madarame was wearing gold robes, had his hair tied in a top knot, had big eyebrows, and was wearing lipstick. “Who are these hooligans? And why are you out here in the first place?”

“That’s Madarame’s shadow!” Morgana pointed out.

Yusuke stepped towards Madarame. “Madarame-sensei. I have come to stand up to you.”

“Stand up? To me? That’s rich” Madarame said.

“SILENCE!” Yusuke demanded. “I know first hand how cruel you can be at times. But I’ve always accepted it because you’ve shown me a kindness like no other. I wish to see that Madarame once again.

However, a threat has been made upon your life. I cannot stand by while someone murders you. This can change. You can stop this now, or we can steal your treasure. What will you choose?”

“Um, did he just say ‘we’?” Ryuji said.

Madarame looked at them. He then bursted out laughing. “You think I took you in out of kindness? HA! I took you in because you could serve me well.”

“What?” Yusuke said in shock and horror.

“There’s no point in hiding it anymore,” Madarame said. “If you’re going to challenge me like this, then I guess I have to tell you the truth. ‘Madarame the Humble Artist’ is nothing but a front. I love the money, the fame, all of it. Art is my method in which to acquire those things. And pupils such as yourself are there to serve me.”

“But… but what about the beauty? The meaning of each stroke? The way in which life imitates art, and art imitates life?” Yusuke asked.

“Ha! If people find that in art, more power to them” Madarame said. “But all of that means nothing. I just filled your head with that mumbo jumbo so that it would make it harder for you to oppose me. Not like it paid off.”

Yusuke felt ill. “You’re disgusting!” Sumire called out. “Using your students. Your craft. All to make you look good. It’s sickening.”

“She’s right,” Jose added. “I’ve only been to Kosei for a couple of days now, but I know that a master should be able to bring out the best in their work. However, the only thing you seem interested in doing that with is yourself.”

Everyone else was surprised. Ren smiled. “I couldn’t agree more!” Kosuke said from the shadows, prompting everyone to be on guard. A wave of ink hit some of the shadows guarding Madarame. Kosuke’s shadow came in kicking one of the shadows and destroying it. He destroyed a few more. “You’re next Madarame!”

“WAIT!” Yusuke said, charging in.

“Hm” Madarame said. “Guards! Take care of them all.” Madarame retreated into his museum.

Kosuke tried to chase him, but Yusuke wouldn’t let him. The thieves stopped the shadows from attacking either of them. “Why are you letting him get away? It’s obvious he doesn't care for art. All he cares about is himself.”

“Well you’re acting no better than him!” Yuuke retorted.

Kosuke took offence to that. “Of course I’m better than him! Do you even know what I stole from him?” Yusuke was curious. “I stole the original Sayuri.”

“WHAT?” Yusuke said. “But how?”

“Uh, what’s the Sayuri?” Ryuji asked, fighting off another shadow.

“It’s one of Madarame’s most famous works,” Jose explained, assisting Ryuji with a shadow. “It's a painting of a woman with a look that has intrigued millions.”

“It also went missing quite some time ago,” Yusuke said.

“Heh heh. You really believed that?” Kosuke said. “Well, of course you did. I’m the only one who found out the truth. Madarame faked the disappearance of the Sayuri. He did that to create forgeries and pass them off as the real thing to people with too much money on their hands.”

“He what?” Yusuke said.

“So there’s no reason you should believe that he and I are the same,” Kosuke finished.

Yusuke chuckled. “And yet, I do.” Kosuke was surprised. “The both of you are using your art for selfish means. Madarame to aggrandize himself, and you to get revenge. Well I won’t allow it!

I won’t let you both taint art. I won’t hold on to foolish hopes that either grievance can be corrected easily. For now on, I will do my best to see the world for what it is. I will do my best to capture its beauty and its ugliness. And I will do my best to change it through means in which I can be proud of!”

"Have you finally come to your senses?” A voice in Yusuke’s head asked. Yusuke began struggling. “How foolishly you averted your eyes from the truth. A deplorable imitation indeed. Best you part from that aspect of yourself! Let us now forge a contract.”

Yusuke was breathing heavily. A mask appeared on his face. “Very well.”

“I am thou, thou art I...The world is filled with both beauty and vice. It is time you teach people which is which!”

Yusuke grabbed his mask. “Goemon!” he called as he ripped his mask off, a small geyser of blood popping off of his face. He was now wearing a blue jumpsuit with a white collar, white boots, a sash, and a tail. “This is my resolve!”

Kosuke was frightened. He shook it off. “Heh. Well, if that’s how it’s gotta be, then that’s how it’s gotta be! If you want to steal his heart, you have until the final day of the exhibit. But don’t think for a second I, OR Madarame will make it easy on you.”

“Hm” Ren said, defeating another shadow. “I thought you hated being compared to Madarame.” Kosuke hissed at her. He then created a puddle of ink and slipped through it. Yusuke tried to catch him, but the puddle disappeared.

“Hey!” Ann called. “We’ll worry about him later. For now, let’s take care of these guys!” Yusuke nodded and joined in the fight.

With Yusuke by their side, the shadows were defeated hand over fist. “Wow. How exhilarating” he said. “Ugh.” he perched himself on his sword.

“Yusuke!” Ann said.

“He must be tired from his awakening,” Morgana said.

“Well then, let’s retreat for now!” Sumire said. “We can come back later!” They all nodded and helped Yusuke leave the palace.”

Once outside, everyone felt exhausted. “Tell me…” Yusuke said. “Will this happen every time we go in there?”

Ren smiled. “You get used to it.”

“I see…” Yusuke said.

“So… does this mean you’re joining us?” Ryuji asked.

“Of course,” Yusuke said. “Why wouldn’t I?”

“Well, if you’re joining us, wanna exchange information with everyone?” Ann asked.

“Oh… sure,” Yusuke said. They exchanged contact information and added Yusuke to the group chat.

Ann looked around. “It’s getting kind of late. Maybe we should call it here for the day.”

Yusuke’s stomach growled. “Forgive me,” he said. “It appears I have worked up quite an appetite.”

Ryuji put his hand on Ren’s shoulder. “I’ve got this,” he said. “If you all wanna head home, I can take care of our new buddy here.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

“Totally” Ryuji responded. “There’s this beef bowl place I’ve been meaning to try out, and I think he’d like it as well.”

“Hm” Yusuke said. “Very well, I shall take you up on that.”

“Alright then” Ren said. “Let’s meet up tomorrow and discuss our plans going forward.”

“Agreed” Yusuke said. Everyone else nodded along. They all headed out.

Notes:

I'm learning things. I'm learning that I seem to try and fit a lot into my chapters. I'm also learning that one of the intricacies of writing this is going to be finding a way to balance Phantom Thief screen time. We're up to seven right now with the addition of Yusuke, and it'll only go up. In scenes with all of them, making sure each thief gets a good amount of screen time, while also making their characters consistent is tricky. But I'm also doing a lot more, and people seem to like it, so I'm not terribly worried. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 29: Making a Plan

Notes:

So, in case you weren't aware, there is now a side story to this fan fiction. I really couldn't think of a good way to fit that in despite wanting to write it. I'll add stuff when applicable, but it's not going to be as long as this.

Anyways, I think I figured out why this story is so easy for me to write. Part of it is the response I've gotten. I was genuinely surprised that a lot of people enjoy this. The other part is that Persona in general is like a good serotonin hit to my brain. It might sound weird because Persona is a series that deals with a lot of heavy things, but it appeals to me in a way that not a lot of other things do.

As always, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren messaged the group.

Ren: OK. Wanna meet at the access panel?

Ann: Wait, really?

Ren: Yeah. It’s our new hangout.

Ryuji: Wait, WHAT?!

Ren: Well, we can’t use the rooftop anymore.

Ren: Miss Nijima wouldn’t allow it.

Ren: And two of our members don’t even go to school here.

Sumire: Right. That makes sense.

Ryuji: OK, and why the access panel?

Ren: We’ve met there before, and we haven’t run into any problems really.

Ren: And I don’t think it’d be wise to meet at the diner constantly.

Ann: Yeah, I feel ya on that.

Ann: Always ordering food so it won’t get awkward.

Yusuke: I wouldn’t mind that though.

Ryuji: Of course you wouldn’t.

Jose: Did something happen?

Ryuji: Once he started eating last night, he was wolfing everything down like it was going out of style.

Yusuke: How dare you!

Ryuji: ...sorry

Yusuke: You make it sound like I was eating like a pig out of a trough.

Yuuke: When really, I was dining exquisitely.

Yusuke: Every bite had meaning.

Yusuke: I may have eaten fast, but I ate with flourish!

Ryuji: THAT’S what you’re upset about?

Yusuke: Indeed.

Sumire: Well, I also wouldn’t oppose going to a restaurant for the meeting place.

Sumire: But I can see how it would be a bit distracting.

Ren: Well then, it’s settled.

Ren: The access panel it is.

Ryuji: OK. Seeya there.

Ann: Later!

Sumire: Seeya.

Jose: We’ll meet you there.

Yusuke: Indeed.

The thieves gathered their things and left to meet at their new hideout. “Huh. So, this is the hideout” Yusuke said.

“That’s right” Ren replied nonchalantly.

Yusuke looked out the window. “How brazen.”

“Alright, so now what?” Ryuji said. “Do we take the palace today, or what?”

“Well,” Ren began, “I want to do a few things first.”

“OK then” Ryuji said.

“Like what?” Ann asked.

“Well, I called us here today to review the facts of the case before we begin,” Ren said. “This isn’t like Kamoshida where we were sure of everything.”

“The dude’s a dirtbag, what else is there to figure out?” Ryuji said bluntly.

“While that’s true, you all knew Kamoshida well enough to take on his palace” Sumire added. “However, while Jose and I seem to know bits and pieces, the one who knows Madarame the most is Yusuke-senpai.”

“She’s right,” Jose said. “If we understood Madarame better, we might have an advantage in his palace.”

“Plus, there’s also the matter of Kosuke,” Ren added. “Yusuke is the only one who knows him.” They all looked at him to his surprise. “Are you up for it?”

Yusuke got serious. “It’s time I face my inhibitions and awaken myself further.”

“Alright then” Ren said. “Where should we start? Madarame, or Kosuke?”

“I feel like we need to start with Madarame,” Ann said. “After all, Kosuke is only doing what he’s doing because of Madarame.”

“Very well,” Yusuke said. “To the general public, Madarame is an artist that is well-renowned for his mastery of various styles of art.”

“Yeah yeah, but he steals them from his students, we know this,” Ryuji said.

“Ryuji!” Ann said. “We’re doing this to help.”

“Sorry,” Ryuji said. “I just don’t see the point.”

“The point is to know your enemy,” Jose said. “That way, you can take them down more efficiently.”

“Oh. Is that so?” Ryuji said. “Well then, carry on, I guess.”

Ann sighed. “You’re just as much of a meathead as ever.”

“If I may,” Yusuke said. “As you said, Madarame’s public image differentiates from the Madarame I know. Madarame poses himself as a quiet and charming figure, but he has a tendency to unravel with his students.” Yusuke shuttered. “Still, the cruelty I’ve taken from Madarame pales in comparison to the Madarame we saw in the metaverse.”

“His shadow,” Morgana said. “I guess there are things he even hides from his students.”

“I’ll say,” Ryuji said. “That whole business of art is just a means to get rich or teaching the value of art to make people not oppose him makes me sick.”

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “If my coach believed in any of what Madarame said, it wouldn’t be long before we left.”

“Well, unfortunately, a lot of Madarame’s pupils don’t have that luxury” Yusuke said.

“Wait, couldn’t you just live in the dorms at Kosei Yusuke?” Jose asked.

“Ngh. Well, it’s true that I could” Yusuke said. “But… Madarame has been like a father to me my entire life. Giving that up would be one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever had to make. But since it’s come down to it, I’ll make that decision.”

The thieves smiled. “Way to go Yusuke!” Ann said. “But still… It pisses me off knowing that Madarame takes people like you under his wing. People with nothing in the world. Pretending to be a light in the darkness. And then he just takes it all away.”

“Is that how Kosuke came under the tutelage of Madarame?” Ren asked.

Yusuke hesitated a little bit. “Kosuke’s circumstances are… well… They’re not easy to listen to…”

“Well, I think we’re all used to that kind of thing…” Sumire lamented. “At least somewhat…”

“Very well,” Yusuke said. “Kosuke’s parents were murdered by the yakuza when he was a child. This has affected him greatly. In his teens, he was violent and rambunctious because he couldn’t trust anybody. No one wanted to adopt him, or be friends with him, and he would constantly be under watch by the police. It felt like nothing could reign him in.

However, his art teacher noticed he was quiet and dedicated during art. He happened to be friends with Madarame, and turned Kosuke to him. Eventually, Kosuke calmed down and stopped getting into fights over every little thing.

However, when Kosuke realized what Madarame was doing, he didn’t take it lightly. Most students are upset when they decide that they can’t handle the pressure anymore. But Kosuke took it to a whole new level.”

“I can understand why,” Ann said. “Your source of sanctuary being ripped away from you like that. It sounds just like what Kamoshida did to Shiho.”

“No wonder Kosuke wants Madarame dead so much,” Ryuji added.

“Was this when he found out about the Sayuri?” Ren asked. Everyone was surprised.

“Well, I wouldn’t know,” Yusuke said. “I only heard the Sayuri went missing. This whole ordeal is news to me.”

“Well, I bet the two at least correlated with each other” Jose said.

“So, what do you know about the Sayuri Jose?” Sumire asked. “It seems like it’s going to be the focal point of why Madarame is acting the way he is.”

“Wait, you’re saying the treasure is this Sayuri?” Ryuji asked.

“Huh?” Sumire responded.

“Did we not explain that to you guys? We’re sorry” Ann apologized.

Morgana jumped in. “The palace ruler’s treasure is the thing that distorts a person’s heart. It’s the reason they became who they are.”

“I see,” Jose said.

“So, what can you tell us about the Sayuri?” Ren asked.

Yusuke thought. “Well, it’s one of Madarame’s most well-known works. Its use of technique, as well as the subject matter itself, is nothing short of amazing. I know that whenever I look at it, I feel a wave of positive emotions flow through me. It’s what made me want to become an artist in the first place.”

“Is there a chance Madarame stole this one too?” Ren asked.

“Hmmmmm” Yusuke thought. “Well, from what I’ve heard, Madarame started stealing his student’s art a little bit after that, but I can’t be certain that Madarame stole the Sayuri.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“So, we have our facts in order,” Morgana said.

“Hold on” Ren silenced him. “There’s one other thing I need to know. Yusuke. Is there a chance that Kosuke would go back on his word?”

“What do you mean?” Yusuke said.

“He told us that he would do the deed on the final day of the exhibition” Ren explained. “Do you think he’d give us a false date?”

“I see,” Yusuke said. “In all honesty, no. Kosuke might be corrupted by this Eris person, but he is an artist at heart. He views him murdering Madarame as his masterpiece. He wouldn’t dare do anything to mess that up.”

“Hm. Interesting” Ren said.

“What’s up?” Ann asked.

“Well, I wanted to get a good time frame for how long we have,” Ren explained. “If possible, I’d like to make a few preparations before we raid the palace.”

“That’s a good idea,” Morgana said. “We don’t want to go in unprepared.”

“Plus, it’ll give some of us some breathing room,” Ren added. “I mean, we did just get done with midterms.”

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Ryuji said.

“So, now we have a schedule,” Ren said.

“Wait, when IS the last day of the exhibition?” Ann asked.

“Oh, right,” Yusuke said. “The last day is June 5th.”

“And today is May 17th, right?” Sumire said. “That gives us some time.”

“Alright, now that that’s settled, “ Ren began, “let’s start with one bit of prepwork we can do now. Yusuke. What do you want your codename to be?”

“Huh? Codename?” Yusuke said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “We do it to conceal our identities. After all, we are in the minds and hearts of our enemies. We don’t want them to see us coming.”

“Plus, it’s kind of cute,” Sumire said.

“Hmmmm” Yusuke said. What are your guys' codenames? I don’t wish to break any particular pattern you have.”

“Well, I’m Skull,” Ryuji said. “She Joker, he’s Mona, he’s Sunshine, she’s Panther, and she’s Violet.”

“I see. English names” Yusuke said. “How delightful. Hm. I was going to call myself Kitsune between my outfit and my username, but maybe Fox is the better name.”

“Well, if you’re cool with that” Ryuji said.

“Fox it is” Yusuke said.

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. He glanced over. “Hm?”

“What’s wrong, Ryuji-senpai?” Sumire asked.

“Ah, nothin’. I just thought I saw something” Ryuji stated.

Ren looked over where Ryuji looked. She didn’t see anything. “Hm. Well, let’s try to keep our meetings a little shorter in the future, OK?” The thieves nodded.

Meanwhile, Makoto was hiding behind a wall after spying on the thieves. She sighed, relieved that they didn’t appear to catch her. “That was close.” She looked over again, only to find that they had since left.

Meanwhile, at Madarame’s exhibit, there was a knock on the door to the security office. “Come in,” Kosuke said. Madarame entered, face full of fury. “Ah, Madarame sir. Is there anything I could help you with?”

Madarame glared at him. “You know why I’m here,” he said. “I could report you to the police.

Kosuke sighed. “Really? We’re going straight into this? No formalities? No chit-chat? Nothing? Well if you’re going to, I say do it. Let’s see what the police have to say about what I stole.”

“I’d tell them you’re lying!” Madarame snapped back.

“That might work,” Kosuke said, “IF I didn’t have the proof they needed. And once we’re in a holding cell together, you KNOW I can overpower you.” Madarame scowled. “But hey, I’m a generous man. I’m giving you the opportunity to be the master of the art world one last time. After all, you wouldn’t do anything to sully your reputation during your own exhibit, would you?”

Madarame stared at him. “Hm” Kosuke gloated. “It seems like I’m right.” He turned back to his work. “We’re done here.” Madarame started to leave. “If you can think of a way out of all this, then by all means. Just remember who you’re dealing with.”

Madarame left the room and closed the door. “Bah! ‘Remember who you’re dealing with.’ I’m dealing with a petulant child who wants the world to be more fair. Well life isn’t fair. You just have to make it unfair in your advantage.” He got out his phone. “I better make some preparations, just to be sure.”

Meanwhile, Kosuke was watching this on the cameras. “Hm. I guess I can apply one of your lessons after all. You’re so used to making it unfair in your favor that when the ball is in someone else’s court, you can’t handle it. This is almost too easy.”

Notes:

It will be a few chapters before the palace, but it'll be filled with confidant stuff. As the story progresses and more confidants get unlocked, trying to find a balance between the two might get trickier. But again, that's one of the things that appeals to me about Persona.

Chapter 30: Taking Stock

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Wednesday, Ren decided to stock up on materials needed for the infiltration. First she paid a visit to Takemi’s clinic to grab some medicine. “Hey doc” she said, upon entering.

“Well well, how’s my favorite guinea pig?” Takemi responded.

“Well, we just got done with midterms, so that’s a load off my shoulders” Ren said.

“That’s nice to hear,” Takemi said. “Say, if you have time, I could use your help today.”

Well, I wasn’t planning on going after Madarame right away. “OK” Ren answered.

Takemi smiled. “This is why you’re my favorite guinea pig.”

“Don’t tell me you have a side guinea pig” Ren smirked. Morgana snuck out of her bag to roam around while this was all happening.

Takemi chortled. “Alright, step into my office.” Ren opened the door. “And as much as I would like to, no, I don’t have a ‘side guinea pig’. I’m afraid you’re the only one for me.”

Ren giggled and she stepped in. She liked Dr. Takemi. She had her sense of humor. Although at the same time, that worried Ren a little. People with her sense of humor typically didn’t get it from a society that cares about them. At least according to her experience.

Once Ren had sat down, Takemi offered her a new dose of medicine. “Here. It’s been refined since last time.” Ren looked at the medicine. “Whenever you’re ready.”Ren swallowed the medicine. Almost instantly, she passed out.

Ren woke up sometime later. “Ughhhhhhh” she said, getting out of it.

“So, how do you feel?” Takemi asked.

Ren blinked a few times. “I’m feeling alright, I guess. This all feels sudden compared to last time.”

“Hm, I see. I should take note of that.” Takemi began writing down notes. Her office got a phone call. She picked up. “Hello?...Yes, this is a medical clinic...What?...I’m sorry, but this place is ill equipped to deal with such an emergency...Yes, I understand...Very well. Bring them to the Takemi Medical Cli-...Heh. They hung up on me.” She put the phone down.

“That sounded kind of serious,” Ren said.

“Oh, don’t worry. There’s a hospital nearby, and the patient in question will be fine waiting a little longer to get there” Takemi explained. “Still, all it took was for them to know my name to hang up on me.” She sighed.

“You alright?” Ren asked.

“Yeah. I’m used to it at this point” Takemi lamented.

“You wanna talk about it?” Ren asked.

Takemi looked at her. “Why not?” she answered. “Remember how that officer called me ‘The Plague’?” Ren nodded. “Well, before this job, I used to work at a prestigious hospital. However, I got blamed for a medical error that nearly cost a patient their life. I was forced to resign and was given that nickname.”

Ren thought for a moment. “Did you cause it?” Takemi looked at her. “The medical error, I mean…”

“Well, that’s what the reports say,” Takemi said.

“But did you do it?” Ren insisted.

“Why does it matter?” Takemi said, defensively.

“Because… I might also have experience getting blamed for something I didn’t do…” Ren said solemnly.

Takemi looked at her. “I see... “ She came over and gave Ren a hug. “I didn’t do anything either. It’ll be OK.”

Ren was stunned. She then reciprocated the hug. “Yeah. I’m sure everything will be OK for you too.”

They let go. “Hm” Takemi chuckled. “Maybe. I don’t know. I’m quite content here for now.”

“Eh, miracles could happen” Ren reminded her.

“Miracles, huh” Takemi said. “As a doctor, I’m more on the scientific side of things. But if one were to happen, I’d take it.”

“I getcha,” Ren said.

“So, what's your crime?” Takemi asked.

“Oh, well…” Ren hesitated. “Um, someone said that I assaulted them when I didn’t…”

Takemi stared at her. “If you can tell me their name, I can make it look like an accident.” Ren was shocked. “That was a joke of course. I’m a doctor. I heal people, not kill them.”

“Oh. He he” Ren laughed nervously.

“But if you ever need help proving your innocence again, don’t hesitate to call me” Takemi assured her.

“Thanks,” Ren replied.

“Well, in any case, I’m going to need to go over your results,” Takemi said. “Is there anything you need?” Ren nodded and made her purchases. “Very well. You’ve been a tremendous help today. Both in terms of the test, and just being a friend for me. It’s been a while since I’ve felt good about things. Maybe once this medicine gets done, I can hold my head high again.”

“I’d like to see that,” Ren said. “Thank you.”

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 3

Later, Ren headed down Central Street and made her way towards Untouchable. She walked in and bought some equipment. “Psst” Morgana whispered. “Are you going to ask about the gun?” Ren nodded and turned back to the shopkeeper.

Before Ren could say anything,the store owner spoke up. “By the way, change of plans. You can keep the bag. It’d be a hassle for you to bring back.”

“I see,” Ren said. “To be honest, I… kind of opened the bag. From what I saw, it looked pretty cool.”

The owner looked at her. “You think?”

Ren nodded. “And I was kind of wondering, would you be able to sell me that kind of stuff in the future?”

The shopkeeper’s attention was now fully on her. He looked her up and down. “Step into the back please.” Ren felt a little nervous, but played along anyway. This man didn’t give off the same kind of energy Kamoshida did, and even if he was a creep, she wouldn’t feel the need to hesitate and punch him. As Ren entered, the man followed her in. He closed the door. “Alright, what are you up to?” he asked.

Ren looked at him. “I’m just an enthusiast.”

The man glared at her. “Please, I know you’re up to something. You wouldn’t have come to me with that medal if you were just an enthusiast.” He sighed. “But then again, whatever it is you’re up to can’t be all bad.” Ren was curious. “You didn’t rat me out to those officers when you sold that medal to me.”

“We had a deal, didn’t we?” Ren said.

“Yeah, but you could have gone back on it” the owner said. “You had the money already. You had what you needed.”

“Yeah, but then where would I go for fake weapons that are this good in quality?” Ren responded.

“Heh” the shopkeeper said. “Flattery will only take you so far, but I’m a sucker for it. Alright, I’ll hear you out on this. You don’t need to tell me anything necessarily, but this kind of transaction needs to be built on trust.”

Ren looked at him. “Do you have anything in mind?” she asked.

“Well, I was thinking, if you help me out, I can help you out as well” the owner said. “But you also have to understand, I don’t need to answer any questions either, go it?”

“Got it,” Ren said.

“Hm. A fast learner. I like that” the man said.

“A lot of people seem to,” Ren replied.

“So that’s the deal then. You work for me, and I’ll give you access to the secret menu” the shopkeeper said. “Is there anything I should know about before the deal becomes final?”

Ren felt a little bad. “Well, if you’re having problems with the police, then I doubt it would be helpful for me to be here too often. I have an arrest record after all.”

“Heh. Join the club” the owner said. “I doubt whatever they have you on is much compared to me. If any officer comes around, chances are they’re after me. Still, it’s nice that we have this connection. Adds another layer of trust, you know?” Ren giggled. He reached out his hand. “Munehisa Iwai.”

Ren shook his hand. “Ren Amamiya.”

“Well Ren, pleasure doing business with you” Iwai said.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Hanged Man Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 1

“It’s getting kind of late right now, so you don’t need to do anything today,” Iwai said. “Just be sure to stop by whenever I need help.”

“Got it,” Ren said. They exchanged contact information, and Ren headed back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

I think these confidant only chapters are destined to be shorter than more plot-heavy chapters, but I still think two rank ups per chapter is a good rule, especially if I can fit them together with a theme.

I also noticed that I keep bringing up Kamoshida. It makes sense, since he had a big influence on a lot of the characters. But I'm not sure if the game brought it up as much as I am. If they didn't, I can't exactly tell if it's more of a cultural difference or a failure to address the underlying concerns.

This does lead into a more general point. I am writing this from an American perspective, so as much as I can tell about Japanese society and how the game portrays it, I don't have a full understanding of it. Which basically means that as true to P5R as I want to be, I might not get all the way there.

I feel like we're more similar than we are different, but I can't be certain because I don't know how many differences actually exist. But even with that, I do get the sense that we're all human, and as humans we have similar traits and emotions, it's just we express them slightly differently.

Sorryabout that. I didn't mean to ramble on so much. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 31: Some Assistance Required

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Thursday after school, Ren was on an important mission. She headed down to Dr. Maruki’s office. She stood in front of the door. Morgana popped up. “Are you going in?” he asked.

“I was planning on it,” Ren answered. “But…”

“You’re still worried about what happened with Sumire, huh” Mrgana finished. Ren nodded. “Well, she said herself that Dr. Maruki was fine.”

“I know,” Ren said. She took a deep breath. She knocked.

Dr. Maruki answered. “Oh, are you here from yourself or for business?”

“The latter,” Ren answered.

“Well, either way, I appreciate it,” Maruki responded. “Come on in.” Maruki invited her in. They both took a seat.

“Do I need to be here?” Morgana asked.

“Where would you go?” Ren asked. “Besides I’m only here for metaverse stuff.”

“Hm. I was hoping you’d be ready to open up a little more” Maruki said. “But I suppose I should take what I can get. So, what is your question about the metaverse?”

Ren glanced at him. “I don’t know how deep your research went, so you might not even have the answer, but it’s better than nothing.” She got serious. “We found a new big target. However, their would be assassin has a peculiar trick up their sleeve.”

“Go on,” Maruki instructed.

“They’re in possession of this sort of ink where if it is slathered on the shadows, it takes one hit to destroy them” Ren continued. “I don’t want to bring my team into a fight like that. Venturing in and out of the metaverse is exhausting as is; to bring them into a one-sided fight like that... I couldn’t bear the thought.”

“I see,” Maruki said. He went into a deep thought. “Well you’re right in that I might not have as much in the way of specifics, but I still think I can help you.” Ren looked pleased. “First, I’m going to need to know more about the target, and why the other person targeting them might think it’s effective.”

“Well, I don’t want to give away too much,” Ren said. “But I will say our target is a very prominent figure, whom a lot of people adore. The person wishing to kill them wants to make it known that this person is rotten to the core.”

“I see,” Maruki replied. He thought some more. “You say it makes the shadows so weak that they cannot take even one hit?” Ren nodded. “In our research, we had brief interactions with these creatures. We didn’t learn much, however, in our limited interactions, we discovered that these shadows are disjointed.”

“Meaning?” Ren asked.

“I think he’s referring to how they gather around powerful pressences, like those with palaces” Morgana clarified.

“Precisely” Maruki pointed out. “They aren’t whole, if that makes sense. As powerful as they are, I think they’re at a disadvantage with that ink. From what you’ve described, I think this ink makes weaknesses more pronounced. A shadow doesn’t have any real strength, aside from its raw power. But you have the power of your Personas, which are an extension of yourselves. You are whole. So I don’t think that ink would do the same thing to you as it does those shadows.”

“Well that’s a relief” Morgana said.

“However, if at all possible, you should probably not get hit with it anyways” Maruki added. “I mean, it won’t kill you outright, but it will make you weaker.”

“I see,” Ren replied. She smiled. “Thanks doc.”

Before she could leave, Maruki shouted “Wait!” Ren sat back down. “Um, this might seem a bit sudden, but would it be possible to use our interactions for a paper I’m writing?”

Ren was curious. “Are you publishing something about the metaverse?”

“Well, no,” Maruki said. “But I am doing a study related to the strength of one’s heart, and I feel like the information I gather from you, as well as other students or faculty, would be great for that. Which reminds me, I’ve gotta talk to someone else about this.”

“But we’ve only talked about metaverse stuff today” Ren said, getting slightly more passive aggressive.

“Well, that might be true, I can’t help but get a little analytical, especially when I’m on the job,” Maruki explained. “So, I may have gathered some insight into you. Of course, I won’t write about you if you do not wish.”

Ren smirked. “You’re serious about this, aren’t you?”

“Of course” Maruki answered. “I’m always serious about respecting my patients.”

“And yet you didn’t want to respect Sumire for who she really is?” Ren asked.

“Oh my” Maruki responded. “I figured you would still be upset about that.”

This didn’t help. “What’s that supposed to mean?” Ren snapped.

“Woah” Morgana exclaimed.

“Heh heh. Sorry” Maruki apologized. “I figured provoking you in that moment would get me the best response.” Ren was not amused. “If I’m honest with you, it might make what I say next more believable for you. I really, truly, only wanted to help Sumire out the day she came to my office. She told you herself that she was hardly able to function, and who could blame her? Anyone in her shoes would not take what happened easily. I wanted to help her function again.”

“So why make her think she’s her sister?” Ren asked.

“Well, that’s confidential,” Maruki answered. “I can’t tell you anything about a meeting without consent.”

“Hey” Morgana said, getting Ren’s attention. “Do you think maybe it has something to do with what we saw before her awakening?”

Ren thought about it. They witnessed what Sumire had witnessed the day Kasumi died. They also heard Sumire’s thought. Her self-doubt and her jealousy of her sister. Ren also thought about her previous interactions with Sumire. I guess I can see her wanting to act more like her sister.

“Based on the information given, I suggested she start thinking like her sister,” Maruki explained further. “Of course, you broke her out of that, which also makes me curious about you. What is it about you that shook her out of it?”

Ren was confused. “What makes you think I would know the answer to that?”

“I guess that’s true,” Maruki said. He laughed.

Ren looked at him. “You are very peculiar, you know that?”

“I do,” Maruki said. “You’re not the first, and you probably won’t even be the last to say that.” He cleaned his glasses. “Now, do you want to know what I know about you?”

Ren was a bit hesitant, but she did want to know. “Very well.”

“Hm” Maruki cocked a grin. “Well, before getting to know you formally, I was made aware of your arrest record. People told me to be cautious around you.” Ren got a little frustrated. “But after meeting you, I feel like you’re kind, understanding, and selfless. You’re fairly smart, and aren’t afraid to be yourself. Which does call into question your arrest. I don’t think someone like you gets arrested without a good reason. So, would you mind telling me about how you got arrested?” Ren hesitated. “If you don’t want to, that’s fine.”

Ren looked at Maruki. Well, he’s independent from the school, so he might actually believe me as well. Plus he already knows about me being a Phantom Thief. I doubt this would actually do much. She sighed. “Very well. One night, I was on my way home when I overheard some commotion. A man was trying to force a woman into his car. I stepped between them and he fell over. He blamed me and said I hit him. When the police came, they believed him and he had me arrested.”

Maruki was stunned. “My. The audacity of some people, huh.” Ren was a bit surprised by this. “I’m sorry, but I’m human too. And as good as I am at identifying what makes people tick, it does not make me immune from getting ticked as well.”

Ren reflected on what he just said. “And I guess that means you’re also human enough to make some rash decisions.”

“Exactly” Maruki said. “I knew you were smart. Ah. Sorry. I did it again.”

“It’s… alright…” Ren said. “You know, you’re actually really good.”

“Well, I try” Maruki said.

Ren sighed. “Here I am, trying to deal with many complicated things, while still being unable to really figure myself out. And yet you seem to have me down pat, despite only conversing with me twice.”

“Hm” Mruki said. “Well, I’m sure you know more about yourself than you might think. I doubt you’d have a Persona otherwise. And I think your other friends might know you well too. But I will always be here to help if you want it.”

Ren smiled. “I like the sound of that. And I guess you can use whatever you can glean from our conversations for research. Just don't give me away if you go and publish anything.”

“Duly noted,” Maruki said. “I can also teach you how to fortify yourselves better in the metaverse as well. Ah, in fact, I have something that will help right now.” He fished around through his papers. “Here” he said, handing it to Ren.

She looked it over. “Really?”

Maruki nodded. “Think of it as a thank you for helping me out. As well as a thank you for understanding that I mean no real harm.”

Ren put it in her bag. She sighed. “To be honest, I’ve been wanting something like this, but I feel like we got off on the wrong foot. So, would you mind if we met again?”

“It’s my job, isn’t it?” Maruki said with a smile.

Ren giggled. “Thanks.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Councilor Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Councilor-Takato Maruki-Rank 1

“Oh, um, if I need to contact you about metaverse stuff in the future, it might be easier to do it via phone” Ren said. “You can give me a heads up on availability and stuff.”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Maruki said. He and Ren exchanged contact info. After that, Ren left the room.

While she was on her way to the subway, Morgana popped up. “So, I’m a little confused about what just happened there,” he said.

“What do you mean?” Ren asked.

“Well, it’s not often that I see you go through so many emotions and yet still come out of it feeling fine” Morgana explained. “You were so distrustful of Maruki when you entered, but you trusted him by the end of it. Why is that?”

Ren stopped. “Partially because I probably need something like that.”

“But you have us,” Morgana said. “He even said we might know you better.”

“Which is another reason I kind of turned around on him,” Ren explained. Morgana was perplexed. “He was incredibly open and honest. He easily admitted his faults and made his intentions known throughout the process. The people I tend to keep at arm’s length are dishonest, or at least won’t tell me things.”

“Huh” Morgana thought. “I guess that makes sense. Everyone I know who you’re close with seems like they’re willing to be themselves with you.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I guess they are.”

Ren got a message on her phone.

Dr. Maruki: Oh, by the way.

Dr. Maruki: I know you say you have a big target lined up already.

Dr. Maruki: But if you’re looking for a smaller target as well, I have information.

Dr. Maruki: Recently, an old man has been causing all sorts of mischief in Kichijoji.

Dr. Maruki: Whenever he gets caught, he says he’s either lost or confused, and people let him off with a warning.

Dr. Maruki: But people in the area say he’s doing it on purpose.

Dr. Maruki: I don’t know if you go after that kind of thing, but I figured I’d share it with you.

Ren messaged back.

Ren: What’s his name?

Dr. Maruki: I guess you would need to know that.

Dr. Maruki: The person I heard this from says his name is Heiji Ono.

Dr. Maruki: Be careful. I feel like there may be more to this than he’s letting on.

Ren: Thank you. I will take this up with my team.

“Huh” Morgana said. “That was unusual.”

“But it’s the kind of thing we need, don’t you agree?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Morgana said.

Ren got another message on her phone.

Mishima: Hey, can we meet tonight?

Mishima: I have a surprise.

Mishima: Also, I want to talk about the Phansite a bit.

Ren: Sounds like a plan.

Mishima: Great! See you on Central Street!

Later that night, Ren caught up with Mishima. “Hey Mishima,” Ren said.

“Oh hi,” Mishima said.

Ren finished walking up to him. “So, what’s this surprise?”

“Get this” Mishima said, excitedly “I got us each a DATE!”

“What?” said Ren, panicking.

“Yeah” Mishima continued. “I found them on the Phansite. This one girl said she was lonely, and this guy said he recently got dumped. So I decided to help them out and offered a double date to the two of them. Oh, but they just think we’re ordinary people. They don’t know I run the site, let alone that you’re a Phantom Thief.”

“Well, that’s good at least…” Ren said. “But what made you decide to do this?”

“Well, they needed help,” Mishima said. “But I don’t think changing hearts to make them happier is exactly ethical. So I offered this up.”

“Well… you know that at least…” Ren said.

“Don’t worry,” Mishima said. “I did some check on them. They’re both fine people. And I will also admit, the guy is incredibly handsome.”

“...Thanks?” Ren said, sweating bullets.

“Don’t worry, we have an ice breaker,” Mishima said. “We came into contact on the Phansite. We can talk about our adoration for the Phantom Thieves.”

“Yay” Ren said. She was dying inside.

Suddenly, Mishima got a call. “Huh? … Oh hey!” He put his hand over the speaker. “It’s the girl.” He went back to the phone. “How’s it going? Are you almost there yet? … Huh? ...Oh! Well that’s neat. … I see … Huh. No no, that’s great. … Right, well see you on the forums then.” He hung up and sighed.

“What was that about?” Ren asked.

Mishima smiled. “It turns out that on their way to meet us, our two dates met up with each other. They clicked right away, and are now going on a date with each other. Crazy how that worked out, right?” Ren sighed. “Wait, what was that for? Do you not trust me on this?”

“Well, in all honesty, no,” Ren said. “Although, I don’t really trust too many people to set me up with someone. I’ve gotten severely burned before.”

Mishima was concerned. “What happened?”

“Well, someone said they would get me a date…” Ren said. She remembered an incident at her old school where someone said that this one girl also liked girls, and would date her, but what ended up happening was a mean trick where she was actually outed, some dudes tried “turning” her, and in the end, she lost some of her friends. “But it turned into a huge public shaming where they embarrassed me. So yeah, I don’t really like getting set up with anyone.”

Mishima got made. “Man, fuck whoever did that to you! You’re a good person! You didn’t deserve that!”

Ren smiled. “Thanks,” she said. “Besides, I’m kind of interested in someone currently.” Even if she isn’t interested in me.

“I getcha, I getcha,” Mishima said. “So that’s a no on any further dates, huh.” Mishima seemed sad. “And she was so cute too…”

Ren looked at him, “Well, you could still try.”

“On my own?!” Mishima said. “I couldn’t. I’d get too nervous.”

“Mishima, look at me” Ren said. “You can do this.”

Mishima looked at Ren and got pumped. “Heh. You’re right! I CAN do this!” He pointed to Ren. “And you can get the guy you’re interested in! I know it for sure!”

Well, he doesn’t know. “Yeah…” Ren said.

“So, that’s a ‘no’ on getting dates for you,” Mishima said. “But what about anything else the Phansite can provide?”

“Hmmm” Ren thought. “Well, to be honest, I’m not sure. Maybe just start running things by me before you jump head first into whatever you’re thinking.”

“Ohhhhh” Mishima said. “That’s an excellent idea. Heh heh. I will.” His stomach growled. “Oh, um, would you like to grab something to eat anyways?”

“I’d like that,” Ren said. The two of them ate at the diner.

“Ah, that was great,” Mishima said.

“I’ll say,” Ren said.

“Hey,” Mishima said. “Thanks for hanging out with me tonight. It didn’t go like how I imagined it would, but I think it worked out for the best.” He sighed a happy sigh. “Before all this happened, I had no one.” He turned to Ren. “But now I have you. And even though you said you wouldn’t date me, I still like hanging out with you. You’re like my best friend.”

Ren smiled. He doesn’t quite seem to get it, but he has the spirit. “You might want to work on your delivery a little if you want to get a date from the Phansite” Ren pointed out.

“Oh” Mishima said.

“But your heart is in the right place,” Ren continued. “You wanted to help someone in need, and you took action to do so. Just maybe think things over a bit before you do anything.”

“Done and done,” Mishima said. “And sorry about setting up a date for you. I didn’t know you had that experience.”

Or a few other things. “It’s OK. Just don’t do it again.”

“Aye aye!” Mishima said.

Ren smiled. “I like hanging out with you too.”

“Oh, uh, thanks,” Mishima said, flustered.

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 2

Ren and Mishima went home for the evening.

Notes:

I'm going to be honest. When I wrote "And even though you said you wouldn’t date me, I still like hanging out with you." I realized IMMEDIATELY how fucked that sounded, but I also thought it would be something Mishima might say, so I kept it in.

Also, I'm realizing a few things about this project. The one I'm most concerned about is "will I run out of good names for chapters?" Part of me feels like I'm grasping at straws now, but who know. Maybe I can keep grasping at good enough straws to make this work.

Enjoy.

Chapter 32: 3 Targets

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Friday morning, and Ren has just finished getting dressed for school. She turned around. “Alright, you can look now. Huh?” She was surprised to see Morgana not perched upon the windowsill. Instead, Morgana crawled out from under the bed. Ren sank down to meet him. “What are you doing down there?”

“You said I shouldn’t look when you’re changing,” Morgana said. He hopped on the bed so that Ren could stand up. “I wasn’t looking.”

“Right, but when you do that, you usually look out the window,” Ren said. “What happened?”

Morgana seemed a little embarrassed. “While you were out with Mishima last night, this woman almost kidnapped me…”

“WHAT?!” Ren said, shocked.

“I was worried that that woman would see me and try to take me again,” Morgana said. “Man, why do I have to have this cat body?”

“What happened?” Ren asked, picking up Morgana.

“Wha?” Morgana said, shocked at getting picked up. “Well, uh, I was walking around, minding my own business, when I heard someone shout ‘SNOWBALL!’ At first I didn’t pay it much mind, but she ran up to me and tried picking me up. I ran away from her but she just kept chasing me.

Eventually, I ran toward this old man in the neighborhood. He was confused initially, but when he heard her screaming ‘SNOWBALL!’ he seemed to pick up on what was going on. He tucked me away and shooed her off. If I never see her again, it’ll be too soon.”

Ren set Morgana down and then sat down herself. “Did you happen to catch a name?”

“Well, oddly enough, yeah” Morgana said. “After she left the old man sighed and said ‘Crazy ol’ Ryoko Aino at it again.’ He also looked at me and said ‘She keeps taking cats. How many would you be? 11? 13?’ Why?”

“Well, I was thinking of getting the gang together and paying her a visit” Ren answered.

“Huh?” Morgana said.

Ren giggled. “You’ll see.” Morgana popped into Ren’s bag and the two headed off to school.

After school, Ren got a message from Mishima.

Mishima: Hey, I just noticed a dire request on the Phansite.

Mishima: And guess what? It’s from our school.

Mishima: Apparently this one kid named Daisuke Takanashi is hardcore bullying a bunch of students.

Mishima: Sometimes it even gets physical.

Mishima: Do you want me to make it known that the Phantom Thieves are after him?

Ren: Sure.

Ren: Also, could you do that for two other people?

Mishima: Of course! Anything for the Phantom Thieves!

Ren: Great!

Ren: Do that for Heiji Ono and Ryoko Aino.

Mishima: Done and done!

“That’s what you meant?!” Morgana yelped.

“Shhhh” Ren said. “People might hear you.”

“We’re going to change her heart?” Morgana continued.

Ren nodded. ”If she keeps kidnapping cats, the streets of Yongen-Jaya won’t be safe for cats… Or you…”

Morgana fussed. “I guess it’s fine in some contexts.”

“Alright! So, let’s get everyone together” Ren said.

“Huh? We’re doing these today?” Morgana questioned.

Ren nodded. “I figure it would be easier than jumping three basically unaware people into a palace.”

“Makes sense,” Morgana said. “Hey, wait! Was that a snide remark at me?”

Ren smiled. “Perhaps. But at the same time, I think we needed to steal Kamoshida’s heart in order to get people to believe us. So it’s even.”

“Well… alright…” Morgana said.

Ren messaged the group chat.

Ren: Alright everyone, we’re meeting up today!

Soon, they all met up in the access hall. “Alright! Are we going to give Madarame what’s coming to him?!” Ryuji said.

“Not so loud!” Ann hushed him. “We’re still in public.”

“Sorry,” Ryuji said.

“Well, to answer your question, not yet,” Ren said. Everyone was surprised. “I was thinking of doing a bit of training first.”

“Training how?” Sumire asked.

Ren turned to face Sumire. “Remember that place where your Persona first awakened?” Sumire nodded. “That place is called Mementos. It serves as a palace for the general public, and it’s where we can steal the hearts of people without a palace.”

“Huh” Sumire said.

“So, you wanna head down there?” Ann asked.

Ren nodded. “I figure it might help Sumire, and Yusuke get used to the Metaverse some more, and maybe get Jose some Phantom Thief experience..”

“Well, I could use some practice,” Yusuke said.

Jose nodded. “I guess I might need some assistance working as a team.”

“Well, do we have any marks?” Ryuji asked.

“Three” Ren answered.

“Well let’s hear them,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, we do have to agree on them before we can go after them” Ann reminded them.

Ren nodded. “First, there’s a bully at our school; Daisuke Takanashi. Apparently he’s even getting physical.”

“No way!” Ryuji said. “We can’t let that stand.”

“I agree,” Yusuke said.

“Daisuke Takanashi?” Sumire said. She thought. “OK, let’s do this.”

“Alright, second is this old man who keeps disturbing the peace in Kichijoji named Heiji Ono. Apparently, he’s also feigning ignorance about it every time he does it.”

“Huh? What does that mean?” Jose asked.

“It means he says he doesn’t know what he’s doing when he does,” Ann explained. “And although it might seem a bit harsh, I say we go for it. I can’t stand people who keep getting away with things due to some special treatment.”

Ren nodded. “And lastly, poor little Morgana here almost got kidnapped last night”.”

“Don’t… Don’t phrase it like that” Morgana said. “It makes me sound less cool.”

“Awww, poor Morgana” Jose said. He started petting him. “It’s OK. We all have weak moments.”

Morgana was slightly embarrassed, but he did enjoy the petting. “Thanks…”

“Taking Morgana would not have been the first time she kidnapped a cat,” Ren continued. “We need to change her heart to keep her from taking cats in the future.”

“I agree,” Sumire said. “Taken away by a stranger to a place you don’t know. It sounds harrowing, especially for a cat. … Oh, but I don’t mean to compare you to just a regular cat, Morgana-senpai.”

“It’s… fine…” Morgana relented. “In this case, I’d be no different than an actual cat.”

“So, it sounds like we’re all in agreement then” Ren said. Everyone else nodded. “Great. I had Mishima alert them on the Phansite already. Now, let’s head to Mementos.” Everyone prepared and headed out.

Once they arrived, Yusuke was taken by surprise. “Oh my. What a strange garden.”

“Oh yeah. Yusuke hasn’t been here before” Ann remarked.

Sumire was silent. “Hey” Ren said. “It’s going to be alright. Things changed since the last time you were down here.” She took her hand. “You’ve changed.”

Sumire blushed. “Thanks senpai.”

Yusuke held his hands out to make a frame. “What an intricate display of madness. I might need to paint this someday.”

“Yeah, maybe hold off on that until we can get Madarame to stop claiming your works of art are his” Ryuji told him.

“Hmmm. You’re right” Yusuke said. “Madarame hasn’t even seen this. To have him take credit for it…”

Ryuji looked at him. “Man, I’d like to live in your head for like five minutes.”

“I’d like that too,” Morgana said. “Then maybe you’ll see why Panther deserves a portrait of herself.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji snapped back.

“Hm. What clever thinking” Yusuke said.

“Yeah. I’d like that too” Ann giggled.

“If you were to live in my head, then you would know at first glance that Pather’s beauty and radiance deserves a nude portrait unto itself!” Yusuke continued.

“WHAT?!” shouted Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana.

“Huh? Did I not mention that?” Yusuke asked.

“YOU MOST CERTAINLY DID NOT!” Ann shrieked.

“Huh. My apologies” Yusuke said. “However, for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have asked you to get naked for me if you didn’t want to. I would have just looked up references for the remaining parts.”

“That’s… um…” Ann said, face turning red. “Is that better?”

“I don’t think so,” Ryuji answered. “Why the Hell do you need to draw her nude to show off her beauty, when anyone with two working eyes can see she’s beautiful inside and out?”

“Urgh!” Yusuke said, shaken. “Forgive me. It seems I need to reevaluate my perspectives.”

Sumire patted him on the shoulder. “You’re only starting to break free from Madarame’s grasp. These things take time.”

“Thank you, Violet,” Yusuke said.

“Skull…” Ann said. “That’s so sweet… But… Where the Hell was this last week?!”

“Oh… You’re still mad about that huh…” Ryuji said.

Jose was curious. “What happened last week?”

“Ah, nothing!” Ann said. Sumire and Ren giggled.

“Look, I’m sorry about that,” Ryuji said.

Ann pouted. “I just want to know why that was your first instinct.”

“Well…” Ryuji said, rubbing the back of his head. “Ugh, this is going to sound embarrassing. I just thought, I dunno, we hung out often enough. I thought I said everything else worth saying during those moments.” Ann was surprised. “But I guess Kamoshida ruined that too, didn’t he…”

“No…” Ann said. “No, you’re fine. I just… wouldn't mind hearing those things again, you know?”

“Oh… Why didn’t I think of that?” Ryuji said.

“Hm. What a marvelous duo” Yusuke said. “Would you mind if I painted the two of you together? Fully clothed, of course.”

“Huh? Well, maybe…” Ann thought.

“GAH!” Ryuji yelled. “How did we get onto this? I’ll answer the painting question later. Right now, I wanna change some hearts.”

Ann pouted again. “Skull…”

“He has a point though,” Ren said. “We came down here for a reason.”

“I agree,” Jose said. “We can’t keep those hearts waiting.”

“Right…” Ann said. “Alright Mona, do your thing!”

“Thing? What thing?” Sumire asked.

“Heh. It’s showtime” Morgana said. “TRANSFORM!” he transformed into the car.

“WOAH!” Sumire said. “You can do that?”

“Of course!” Morgana said.

“Then why does Joker-senpai have to walk everywhere?” Sumire asked. Ren burst out laughing.

“Mona can only do this in the Metaverse” Ann explained.

“Yeah. Otherwise I’d totally do that” Ren said, wiping tears from her eyes.

“I see…” Sumire.

“So, Fox, what are your thoughts on this?” Ryuji asked.

Yusuke was fascinated. “While I am familiar with the concept, to see it actually happen… I’m truly amazed.”

“Do you want to paint me too?” Morgana asked.

Yusuke thought for a second. “Well, I wouldn’t go that far. But it is a nice novelty.” Morgana pouted.

The gang entered the Morgana car and they started driving down. Sumire looked out the window. “Man, this place looks so different from a car.”

“Well, Mementos does change every time you enter it,” Morgana said.

“Really?” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “But I think I get what you mean.”

“Yeah, you were wandering around for a while before we found you” Ann said.

“Wait, come to think of it, WHY did you venture down here anyways?” Ryuji asked.

“Huh. I guess we never got an answer to that” Ann said.

“Well, I’m assuming I gave her the app,” Ren explained. “And she just happened to pass by.”

“Yeah… Something like that…” Sumire said.

“It seems better if we do not push the issue,” Yusuke said.

Ryuji sighed. “How do you think normal is this situation?” he mumbled.

They came to the other platform on the first level. “Huh? We’re at the end already? But we haven’t found a single target” Yusuke exclaimed.

“No, this is just the first floor,” Ann said.

“Of how many?” Yusuke asked.

“No idea,” Ryuji answered.

“WHAT?!” Yusuke shrieked.

“Wait, Jose, would you know?” Ren asked.

Jose shook his head. “There’s this huge door downstairs, and I couldn’t get it open when I was down here.”

“Huh” Ryuji said. “We opened it no problem.”

“WHAT?!” Jose said.

“Well, I wouldn’t say ‘no problem’” Ren added. “The door responds to being part of the collective unconscious. Since you were basically an unknown, it makes sense you couldn’t open it.”

“Huh. I see” Jose said.

“Don’t beat yourself up over it,” Yusuke said. “There are many things in this world that you cannot possibly know alone. For instance, it took coming into contact with all of you to help me realize that something needed to be done about Madarame.”

“I guess you’re right…” Jose said.

“Anyways, let’s go,” Ryuji said. “Time to see what’s even further.”

“Though I don’t suppose we’re getting to the bottom any time soon…” Ann added.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “If Eris is waiting for us at the bottom, I think we need to become more well known among the public.”

“So, let me get this straight,” Ryuji said. “Eris wants us to meet her down there, but we can’t get there yet, so she’s helping us by creating various life-or-death situations based on a plan by a different guy she killed and stole it from.”

“Basically” Ren said.

Ryuji sighed. “Ugh. This couldn’t get more complicated.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure about that,” Morgana chimed in. “Anything can happen in the metaverse.”

“I guess you’re right” Ryuji resigned. They continued down.

They traveled Mementos a little bit until they found one of the targets. They jumped through the portal. “That must be Daisuke Takanashi’s shadow!” Morgana exclaimed.

“Time to put a stop to this bullying!” Ryuji said.

Sumire just looked at him. “...Daisuke…”

The thieves confronted him. “So, you’re the Phantom Thieves, huh?” Daisuke said. “Excellent! Ready to team up?”

“Why would we team up with a vicious bully like you?!” Ann shouted.

“To rule that pathetic school!” Daisuke answered. “With our might combined, we can make the new law of the land.”

“Tch. As if” Ryuji said. “We don’t take kindly to people pushing around others for their own amusement.”

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “It’s time we teach you some manners.”

“So that’s how it’s going to be?” Daisuke said. He transformed into a Jack Frost. “BRING IT ON!” After a quick battle, Daisuke lost. “DAMMIT!” he cried. “Why can I never be strong enough?”

“Strong enough for what?” Morgana ased.

“ANYTHING!” Daisuke answered.

“Daisuke…” Sumire said. “What happened between you and Kimi?”

“Huh? You know Kimi?” Daisuke asked.

“Well, um… yes…” Sumire said. “We’re, um, in the same ballet class… She hasn’t been herself since you broke up with her…”

Daisuke looked at Sumire. “GAH! Fine. I guess I should tell you. This other kid at school caught me shoplifting.”

“WHAT?!” Ann said.

“He told me he’d show them to the police if I didn’t do what he said,” Daisuke continued. “I didn’t want anything bad to happen, so I complied. But over time, I started hating the person I became. I had to break up with Kimi before I did something I’d regret even more.”

“So that’s it,” Ren said. Daisuke nodded.

“Hm. If you can tell us about this person, maybe we can change their heart” Jose responded.

“Heh. Sounds like a plan” Daisuke said.

“But afterwards, you have to promise to make it up to Kimi!” Sumire shouted.

“Of course,” Daisuke said. “I wouldn’t want anything more. I’ll log into that Phansite and put up a post there or something. I’ll also make it up to the store I stole from. Later.” Shadow Diasuke disappeared, and Ren took the treasure left behind.

They left and continued. “Man, this Mementos stuff is paying off!” Ryuji exclaimed. “We found Madarame like this, and now we found someone else too!”

“Yeah, but I don’t think this blackmailer will have a palace like Madarame,” Ann said.

Ryuji pouted. “Well, maybe someone could be bullying him and we keep going up the chain.”

“I doubt we’d get that lucky,” Morgana said.

Ren looked at Sumire. “So, you knew that guy Violet?”

Sumire looked up. “Well, not personally, no. But Kimi would always talk about him. She really liked him.” Sumire grew a blush. “It kind of made me jealous.”

“I see” Ren started blushing as well. “Well, it’s nice that we could reunite them.”

“Yeah” Sumire smiled. They continued driving through Mementos.

They quickly found another portal and jumped through it. “That’s that old guy, Heiji Ono’s shadow” Morgana noted.

“Hmm” Ren thought.

“What’s up?” Ryuji asked.

“My source told me there might be a little more to this one than meets the eye” Ren said.

“What do you mean? Ann asked.

Ren thought some more. “I’m not 100% sure, but I think there might be a deeper reason as to why he’s doing this.”

“Are you saying we should reason with him?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, I think it’s worth a shot at least,” Ren said.

They walked up to him. “Are you those rumored Phantom Thieves?” Heiji asked.

“Um, yeah?” Ryuji answered.

“HA! This is great” Heiji said.

“Why is this great?” Jose asked

“Because, if I mess with you and get away with it, they’ll HAVE to pay attention to me,” Heiji said.

“Um, we’re not going to just let you mess with us,” Morgana responded.

“Oh, but I am just a poor, defenseless old man” Heiji insisted.

“Did you really expect that to work?” Yusuke asked.

“Yeah, you told us your intentions outright” Ann added.

“DId I? Oh dear” Heiji said.

“Who is this ‘they’ person, and why do you want their attention?” Ren asked.

“It doesn’t matter,” Heiji said. “I keep stirring up trouble, and they keep talking to me.”

“Um, could you try talking to them without causing trouble for others?” Sumire asked.

“BAH! They never listen” Heiji said. “And from the sounds of it, neither are you.”

“We’re just trying to help,” Jose said.

“Yeah, well help THIS!” Heiji morphed into a Koropokkuru. “MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“Well, it was worth a shot,” Ren said. “Let’s get him!” The thieves fought against Heiji’s shadow. They noticed that whenever Yusuke or Morgana used their powers on him, he’d complain about his bones. So they teamed up to finish him off.

After beating Heiji, he calmed down. “I don’t want to stop!” he yelled in desperation.

“Why?!” Ryuji yelled back.

“Because… They’ll abandon me…” Heiji answered.

“Again, who is this ‘they’?” Ren asked.

“...My grandchildren,” Heiji answered.

“AH!” Sumire yelped.

“That would explain a lot,” Yusuke said.

“They don’t want to spend time with me,” Heiji explained. “But if I make trouble, then they have no choice but to come over. Even if they’re just disappointed in me, they’re still talking to me.”

“Um, have you tried talking to them about this?” Ann answered.

“I told you, they won’t listen,” Heiji explained.

“Well, maybe you don’t need to tell them,” Ren said. “Maybe It's worth it just to talk to somebody about this. Who knows, maybe they could help get your grandkids to listen.”

“Maybe…” Heiji said. “But I’ve made so many people mad. I don’t think any of them will listen.”

“Well, why not apologize?” Ryuji explained. “I’ve learned that a good apology can go a long way.” He looked at Ann and winked. Ann blushed in surprise.

“Heh. You might be right” Heiji said. “You know, you’re all such good kids. Thanks for helping this old man.” He faded out and Ren took the treasure.

“Alright, one more target to go” Ren said.

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Morgana said.

“Hey the sooner we get this done, the sooner she’ll stop trying to kidnap you” Ren retorted.

“...I guess that’s true,” Morgana said.

They continued onward. On the next floor, they found a little shed. “What’s this?” Ryuji said. They walked in. “Huh. It looks like a place to relax.”

“Well, why don’t we?” Ren asked.

“Yeah, this feels just like a safe room in a palace” Ann assessed.

“Exactly!” Morgana said.

“Well, I could certainly use a break,” Sumire said.

“As could I,” Yusuke added.

“Yeah, I could also use a break,” Jose said.

“Alright then, let’s take five” Ren said. She passed around different healing items to help everyone relax more. After some time had passed, Ren asked “Is everyone ready?” They all nodded. “OK. Then let’s go.” They all got up and continued down Mementos. After a bit of travel, they found the last portal for today and jumped through it.

Morgana gulped. “Well… That’s her shadow… Ryoko Aino…”

“You gonna be alright?” Ryuji asked.

“I dunno…” Morgana said.

“Don’t worry Mona, we’re here for you!” Ann cheered.

“...Yeah!” Morgana answered. “Thanks Panther!”

“Huh, so Mona responds well to Panther. Fascinating” Jose said.

“Indeed” Yusuke added on.

“Well… uh…” Morgana said, embarrassed.

“Hm hm” Sumire giggled. “I think it’s cute.”

“Oh… um… hm…” Morgnana pondered.

“Anyways, we have a job to complete” Ren reminded them.

“Right,” Morgana said, getting focused. “According to the guy who saved me, I’m not the first cat she’s stolen.”

“We need to put a stop to this!” Ann said, raising her voice.

They walked forward to meet her. “Hey!” Morgana yelled, getting her attention.”

Ryoko looked at him. “Snowball? Snowball! You came back! I thought that mean old man took you from me, but you’re here now!”

“OOOOOOOOOOK. That’s weird” Ryuji remarked.

Ren stepped forward. “Are you the one who’s been stealing cats?” she demanded.

“Stealing? No. I’m protecting them” Ryoko answered.

“How does stealing them protect them?” Jose asked.

“There are so many dangers out there for Snowballs out there,” Ryoko explained. “I keep them safe.”

“Well, whatever you think you’re doing, you need to stop!” Ann shouted.

“What?! You… You want all those Snowballs to be in danger?!” Ryoko asked. “NO! I CAN’T LET THAT HAPPEN!” She morphed into a Nekomata. “I’LL PROTECT THE SNOWBALLS WITH MY LIFE!”

Ren stood her guard. “Attack!” She wouldn’t attack Morgana, which was fairly helpful for their effort to take her down. However, she was fairly strong, and the others who took the brunt of her attack felt it. Still, they came out victorious in the end.

After she had been defeated, Ryoko panicked. “NO! I won’t let you!”

“Um, what’s goin’ on?” Ryuji asked.

“I’d like to know for myself,” Yusuke added.

“Hmm. Maybe if we just talk to her…” Ren said. “Hey!” She got Ryoko’s attention. “We want to protect ‘Snowball’ here too. So, could you tell us how you do it?”

“What? No” Ryoko argured. “I’m the only one who can!”

“And why is that?” Ren continued.

“Because!” Ryoko screamed. “Because… it happened to me before… But I won’t let it happen again!”

“Wait before?” Ann said.

“I won’t let Snowball get hit by that truck again!” Ryoko shouted.

“Oh. I see” Ren said.

“Therefore, I will protect all Snowballs!” Ryoko continued.

Sumire stepped up. “You… You really loved Snowball, didn’t you?”

“Of course!” Ryoko said.

Sumir began tearing up. “Well, this kitty here belongs to my friend here. She’d be really sad if she lost him like you lost Snowball.” Ryoko was stricken. “I know how hard it is to lose someone. But the answer isn’t to pass your pain to others, or wallow in it endlessly. You have to move on. I know it’s tough, but Snowball would want that, right?”

Ryoko was crying. “I… I… I… SNOWBALL! I’m so sorry Snowball! I’ll free all of those other kitties and make it up to you! I’m sorry!”

Sumire giggled. “I think he’ll forgive you.”

“Yeah!” Ryoko said. “Thank you.” Ryoko faded and Ren took her treasure. With that, they left that area and continued down Mementos.

Soon after, they arrived at another door. “Huh. We reached another door” Ryuji said.

Ren tried to open it, but to no avail. “Just as I thought.”

“We’ll need to steal Madarame’s treasure to open this door,” Ann said.

“I see,” Yusuke said. “If we are to continue, then I guess we should do it posthaste!”

“I’m not sure rushing this is a good idea,” Jose said. “I mean, after everything we’ve been through today, I’m a little tired.”

“Yeah, and besides, who knows if there’ll be a door later on we’ll need to steal someone else’s treasure to open” Ryuji added.

“Huh. I see” Yusuke said.

“I think pacing ourselves is a good idea,” Sumire pointed out. “If you overwork yourself in ballet, you’ll get nowhere. I’m assuming the same thing applied to Phantom Thieving.”

“Well said” Ren said. “Besides, we’ve change three hearts as well. I say all around today has gone well. Let’s head up.” They went back upstairs and went up through Mementos.

On their way back, Yusuke asked “By the way Violet. Is there a chance that I could sketch you fighting sometime?”

“Wha-What?!” Sumire said, embarrassed.

“Well, it’s just, your fighting style is so expressive” Yusuke said. “I’d like to capture that on canvas.”

“Say, how did we all get so good at fighting?” Ann said.

“Well, about that,” Morgana said. “It’s not like you’re bad at fighting, but the metaverse amplifies any skill you have, or allows you to give yourself one if you aren’t adept to fighting.”

“I see,” Yusuke said. “I guess that’s why I seem to fight with grace and precision.”

“So, why do you fight stylistically Violet?” Ren asked.

“Oh, well, um,” Sumire began. “I guess I’ve just been incorporating my ballet routine into my fighting moves.”

“I see. How marvelous” Yusuke said. “Maybe I can come and watch you perform.”

“Yeah… Provided someone else doesn’t catch your eye…” Sumire lamented.

“I beg your pardon?” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, Violet’s kind of going through some things right now,” Ren said.

“I guess I should explain,” Sumire said. She described what had happened with her sister and her self-esteem.

“Ah! My apologies” Yusuke said. “Forgive me.”

“It’s fine. You didn’t know” Sumire said.

“Still, I commend your efforts,” Yusuke said. “You seem like one of the hardest working people I know, and your fighting shows your spirit. If you ever get to peak performance again, please contact me so I can sketch you.”

“Oh. Well. That sounds nice” Sumire said. They reached the exit, and left Mementos for the day.

Once they got home, Ren was changing into her pajamas, while Morgana was once again on the windowsill. “Ah, it’s nice to be back up here” Morgana said. “The stars, the breeze, the city. Man, it’s so good to feel.”

Ren finished changing.. She walked up to Morgana. “You’ve only been in hiding since this morning.”

Morgana turned to her. “I know,” he said. “But it got me thinking. People find themselves in situations like mine everyday. And it’s up to us to save them.”

“Ah, so that’s what this is about” Ren said.

Morgana nodded. “I know people suffer, but feeling it is a whole other thing. I feel like I have a better understanding of why you fight so hard.”

Ren was taken aback. “What do you mean?”

“Well, I’m just sayin’...” Morgana said. “Between getting arrested and all that stuff with Kamoshida, I can understand wanting to protect people from situations like that.”

“Huh. I see” Ren said. She picked up Morgana. “You’re one insightful kitty, you know that?”

Morgana grinned. “Yeah, but I’m YOUR insightful kitty.”

“Awww” Ren said. She rubbed her cheek on Morgana’s. Morgana purred. “Well, goodnight.”

“Goodnight” Morgana said, leaping down. He curled up while Ren went under the covers. Both were asleep within five minutes.

Notes:

So yeah, I guess Mementos missions are going to be just as long as palaces. I wasn't quite expecting that. Although, I rarely expect my chapters to be long. Maybe I need to change that perception.

So, the reason I named the chapter after the amount of targets is because naming it after the specific area isn't terribly useful. A lot of later encounters happen on earlier floors, so it's be a mess. Although I could just change where they're encountered. But I guess I'm committing to this.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 33: Show Me How You Move

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren got a message from Sumire.

Sumire: Hey Senpai.

Sumire: Um, if you have time, could you come with me to ballet?

Sumire: Whenever I’ve been going, Coach Hiraguchi tells me I keep falling back into Kasumi.

Sumire: I think with you there, it might be helpful because I feel best about myself around you.

Ren smiled. 

Ren: Of course.

Sumire: Thank you!

Sumire: Oh, but Coach might want you to participate too.

Ren: ...I guess I’m bringing my gym clothes.

Sumire: Maybe you should go shopping with Ann for some better workout clothes. She’s great to shop with.

Ren: I’ll keep that in mind.

Ren went to grab her gym clothes and met up with Sumire. The two headed to the studio. They saw Hiraguchi looking at them. “Hi coach,” Sumire said.

Hiraguchi just looked at them for a few seconds. “What is she doing here?”

“Oh, well, um,” Sumire began, “it’s just, you’ve been telling me that I lapse into Kasumi when doing gymnastics. I feel a lot more comfortable being myself around Ren-senpai, so I thought bringing her here would help.”

Hiraguchi looked at Ren. “Very well. However, I expect you to do some practice as well.”

Ren smiled nervously. “Sumi-chan told me you might do that, so I came prepared.”

Sumire blushed. “Um… ‘Sumi-chan’?”

“Ak!” Ren exclaimed. “DId I really say that?” She started blushing as well.

Hiraguchi smiled. “This might just work after all.” She clapped her hand. “Alright! Get changed, and then begin!” Ren and Sumire nodded. They headed to the locker room to change. Both of them were a little nervous about changing in front of each other. Once they changed, they emerged onto the studio floor and began doing routines.

Hiraguchi taught Ren some basic maneuvers. Ren took to them surprisingly well, and by the end of it even Hiraguchi was impressed. “Not bad, for a beginner.”

“Thanks,” Ren said.

Hiraguchi looked at Sumire. “However…” Ren looked over as well. She noticed something off about the moves Sumire was doing. Hiraguchi noticed Ren’s concern. “You notice something’s off too, huh.”

Ren looked at her. “Well, uh, she gave me a demonstration of some of her moves earlier… but they didn’t look like that.”

“You’re right,” Hiraguchi said. “Sumire!” she called.

SUmire stopped her routine and came over. “What is it coach?”

Hiraguchi sighed. “I thought you said Ren being here would help you break from Kasumi. But if anything, this is the most Kasumi you’ve been in a little while.”

“WHAT?!” Sumire said, shocked. “I don’t understand…” She looked at Ren. “What do you think? Weren’t my moves the best?” Ren stared at her with a disappointed look on her face. “Not you too senpai?!” Sumire cried.

“It’s not that they were bad…” Ren explained.

“But they’re Kasumi’s moves” Hiraguchi finished sternly. “I’ve told you time and time again, you need to practice your moves.”

Sumire started letting out tears. She ran off for the locker room. “SUMIRE!” Ren called out. She chased her. Ren looked through the locker rooms for Sumire . “Sumire! Sumire!” When she found her, she exclaimed “Sumire!”

“Go away!” Sumire shrieked. She continued sobbing.

Ren was a bit heartbroken, but decided not to listen. Instead, she sat down next to Sumire. “Hey. You did tell me you could handle anything hard if it came from me, right?” Sumire looked up, her eyes still watery. She nodded. “Well, I think your coach might be right in this instance. In any other circumstance, you’re not afraid to be yourself. At least, when you’re with me. But during gymnastics, well, let’s say your movements were a little strange.”

“Huh?” Sumire said. “But how would you know?”

Ren smiled. “You told us you incorporated your gymnastics into your fighting style in the metaverse. But your moves today were different. They seem less practiced and more stiff.”

“Oh… I see…” Sumire said. She sighed. “I guess I still can’t break free of Kasumi, huh.”

“Well, that’s not entirely true,” Ren said. “In the metaverse, you seemed to be all you. But here…”

“Well, that’s different,” Sumire stammered. “I don’t HAVE to be the best at gymnastics in the metaverse.”

Ren looked at her, curious. “And you have to be here?”

“Huh? Well, yeah” Sumire answered. “It was always Kasumi and I’s dream to make it to the top of the gymnastics world. And now that she no longer can, I have to…”

“Sumire…” Ren said, mournfully. She grabbed her hand. “You don’t HAVE to do anything you don’t want to. When Kasumi pushed you out of the way that day, she wasn’t saving your chance at reaching the top. She was saving you. Because she cared about you more than any gymnastics performance out there.”

Sumire sat there silently, tears slowing, but still dripping down her face. “Right. I should know this. So why do I still feel like I’d be letting her down if I don’t win?”

Ren pulled Sumire in to lean on her shoulder. “Because, these things are complicated. You were already dealing with some emotional issues before that day. And then everything got worse. And it sucks, because you told me I’ve been helping you, but I don’t know what I can do in this situation.”

Sumire looked at Ren. She stopped crying for a little bit. “I think you’re doing enough right now. You’re sitting here with me, talking me through my problems. That’s all I could ask for.” She leaned against Ren more.

Ren blushed hard. “Uh… yeah…”

Sumire sat back up. “I think I might be somewhat of a masochist.” Ren was confused. “Ah! Not like that! But like… I think I invited you here today knowing this might happen. I think I need you to tell me when I’m not myself. I get so lost sometimes in what other people want out of me or Kasumi even, and I focus on that. Having you there and telling me to calm down and just be myself is really helpful.

...When I fainted, and you told me those sweet things, a part of me hated myself for it” Sumire explained. “Because I was still ‘Kasumi’ at that time. I guess I got jealous that my sister was getting help from this amazing person, and she didn’t even notice me. So, I guess I fought to get noticed by you for who I really am.”

Ren thought about what Sumire had said. She sighed. “When you first told me you weren’t Kasumi, I was surprised. But you were determined to tell me the truth, even if I ended up hating you for it. I like it when people are honest with me. So many times, I’ve had people ignore me or go out of their way to spite me when they didn’t like me. They didn’t have the courage to tell me that they hated me to my face.”

Ren turned to Sumire. “But you… You were honest. You told me your honest feelings even if you thought it would ruin everything we had. That told me everything about you as a person. Even if everything before that was not entirely honest, the fact that you wanted, no, you needed to be honest with me told me that you really are a wonderful person no matter what anyone else might say.”

Sumire was shocked. She then hugged Ren, surprising her. Sumire looked up at Ren. “I keep forgetting you’re going through a lot as well. Here I am being selfish with my problems again, when really I should be asking you how you’re doing.”

Ren was stunned. She smiled. She hugged Sumire back. “I’m doing just fine. Helping people, and hanging out with you and everyone else, that’s how I’m getting through everything.”

“Well…” Sumire said. The two girls let go. “I guess I can accept that for now. But please, don’t hesitate to tell me anything.”

Ren smiled. “You got it.”

Sumire smiled. “You know, I was never as good as Kasumi when it came to ballet. And there were plenty of moments where I wanted to give up. But Kasumi kept pushing me and making me try harder.” She got a little sad. “But now that she’s not here, I guess I don’t really have anyone like that.”

“What about me? Or your coach?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Sumire said. “It’s not that you aren’t helping, but no one could motivate me to do gymnastics like she could.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Um, are you thinking of giving up? Not that I would want you to.”

“Hmmm. I don’t know” Sumire said. “I’ve been doing it for so long, it feels like a part of me. But now, without Kasumi, I think it’s sort of lost all meaning.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Sumire stood up. “Well, I guess I could still do it. But I don’t know how serious I want to take it yet.”

Ren smiled. “I guess that’s as good a place to start as any.”

Sumire turned to Ren. “So,” she stood up, “do you want to see me do my actual routine?” Sumire reached her hand out to pick Ren up.

Ren looked at it, smiled, grabbed on, and said “Of course.” Sumire lifted her up.

The two headed out to the studio floor. Sumire looked around to find no one. “I guess we were in there longer than I thought,” she said.

“You wanna head out?” Ren asked.

Sumire shook her head. “I promised you a performance, so I’m giving you one.” Ren sat down against the mirror-wall. “I can’t promise you it’ll be any good. It’s been a while since I’ve done these moves, but here goes.” Sumire posed herself. She began her performance. Sumire remained focused on her moves throughout the performance.

Meanwhile, Ren was awed by Sumire. It was a lot different than the moves she was practicing earlier. These moves were like poetry in motion. They felt purely emblematic of Sumire herself. They were graceful, earnest, and full of passion. She was a little clumsy at times, but Ren found charm in that as well. Overall, Ren found it magnificent.

Sumire went into her final pose, finishing her routine. She was breathing heavily. Ren applauded. Sumire bowed. “Thank you.”

“My, what a truly brilliant performance” Hiraguchi said from behind Sumire.

Sumire and Ren both looked at her. “You… You saw all of that?”

Hiraguchi nodded. “THAT’S the Sumire I know.”

“Oh, well, thank you” Sumire said, blushing.

“I guess you were right after all,” Hiraguchi said. Sumire was confused.”Bringing Amamiya-chan over did help you be more yourself during ballet. It just took some time.”

“Oh, um, about that…” Sumire said. “Well, when I was talking with Ren-senpai, I came to a realization. Ballet and Kasumi are too intertwined for me. So without Kasumi, I don’t know what I want to do with ballet.”

“...I see” Hiraguchi said.

“I’ll still come,” Sumire explained. “And I think I’ll start working on my own routine more. But I’m not sure if I want to aim for the top anymore. Maybe one day, but right now I need to focus on figuring out who I am outside of Kasumi.”

Hiraguchi looked at her. She placed her hands on her shoulders. “I understand.”

“You? You do?” Sumire said, completely taken aback.

Hiraguchi nodded. “Whatever it takes. The most important thing is your well-being.”

Sumire was stunned. She rushed in and gave her coach a hug. “Thank you. You’re always there for me.”

Hiraguchi was a little surprised at first, but she quickly smiled and hugged Sumire back. “Of course. You’re like family to me.”

After a few moments, they let go of each other. “We should get going,” Sumire stated.

Hiraguchi nodded. “Be careful, and have a good evening.”

“Right” Sumire responded. Hiraguchi walked off. Sumire turned to Ren. “Come on Senpai, let’s go get changed.” Ren nodded, got up, and the two of them changed back. They started walking out. “Boy, today sure was something, huh” Sumire said.

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Sumire looked out onto the horizon. “But I feel like I have a better understanding of myself.” She looked down. “Those people… People like Shiho-senpai or that Kosuke guy… They lost part of themselves too. In a way, I can understand why they’re doing what they do.” Sumire looked at Ren. “But that’s what we’re here for. To help them. Like we’ve been helping each other.”

Ren nodded. “Right.”

Sumire looked up again. “Once I’ve fully figured myself out,” she looked at Ren again, “I want you to be the first person to see it.”

Ren’s face turned completely red. Her heart skipped a beat. She calmed herself down, nodded, and said “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 3

They parted ways for the evening. Sumire went home and cooked herself up a meal. During the meal, Sumire was thinking to herself. Am I ready? She said she liked that in people. But… Maybe once I build up a little more confidence. Yeah.

Notes:

Originally I had wanted this together with something else, but this part turned out kind of long, and the other part is going to be a bit long too. Plus, this part has that Ren/Sumire goodness, and since that's kind of one of the focuses of this story, it standing alone makes sense. Overall, I'm really proud of this chapter.

Also, it took 33 chapter to get me to name a chapter after one of the lyrics of the song the fic is named after. It won't be the last though. At least I don't plan on it.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 34: A Fine Line Between Simple and Complicated

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Saturday evening. Ann was wandering around Central Street. Ryuji had messaged her earlier about “Making it up” to her, but she didn’t know what that meant entirely. Still, Ryuji seemed earnest in his attempt, so the least she could do was make an appearance.

“Hey!” Ryuji called out. Ann turned around to spot him. “Over here!” Ann walked up to him. “So, are you ready?”

Ann was confused. “Ready for what?” she asked.

“For me to make it up to you,” Ryuji answered.

Ann stared at him. “What does that mean?!” she shouted.

“Urgh! Sorry…” Ryuji said. “I’m gonna buy you dinner, and we can just, you know, talk…”

“Oh” Ann said. “Sure, I guess…”

“Great!” Ryuji said. “Follow me.” Ryuji walked into a beef bowl shop. Ann followed. They took a seat next to each other, and placed their order. While they were waiting, Ryuji turned to Ann and asked “Well, what do you think?”

Ann seemed confused. “It’s a beef bowl place…”

“Huh” Ryuji said.

“What?” Ann asked.

Ryuji thought for a moment. “No, I guess that makes sense.”

“What?!” Ann asked again.

Ryuji sighed. “Nothin’. It's just… I dunno, I thought you’d be a little more excited. But really, you only get that way about desserts.”

“Oh. Yeah” Ann said. There was a bit of silence as their food got delivered. “Thanks,” Ann said, not looking up at who was serving them. They started eating. Ann then stopped and looked at Ryuji. “What’s all this about?”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, looking back at her, food in his mouth. He swallows what he has and answers “I just thought this would be nice. Just the two of us, you know. Plus, I needed my make it up to you for that comment I made last week.”

“I get that…” Ann said.

“So what’s the problem?” Ryuji asked.

Ann stared at him. “I’m just… not sure…”

“‘bout what?” Ryuji asked.

Ann remained silent for a bit. “Well… You’ve been acting a little weird.”

“How so?” Ryuji continued.

Ann looked at him. “You keep saying the right things, but you also say the wrong things. It’s tripping me up.”

“Oh” Ryuji said. “S-sorry…” He looked down.

Ann saw him saddened. “No, it’s fine,” she said. “It’s not really your fault. It’s just who you are.”

Ryuji looked up. “I get it! All I need to do is change myself!”

“NO!” Ann shouted. “No, you’re amazing just the way you are. You don’t need to change. At least not drastically.”

“Oh” Ryuji said.

“It’s just, sometimes, when I want you to be serious, you kind of change the topic, or make a joke” Ann said. “And while that is fine sometimes, I want to know what’s going on in your head, you know? We were inseparable in middle school. But now, it sometimes feels like you don’t want to try and get that back…”

Ryuji looked forlorn at Ann. He took her by the hand. “Hey” he said. “Is this about me deflecting from the painting request from Yusuke?”

“Huh?” Ann said, surprised and blushing.

Ryuji sighed. “It’s just that… things were getting serious. I don’t mind opening up to you because we’ve known each other for so long. But, for a moment, I forgot everyone else was there. And that scared me.” Ann was shocked.

Ryuji continued. “It feels easier to bare my soul like that to people I’ve known for a while, and can trust wholeheartedly. It’s not that I don’t trust everyone, but like… I don’t know. I don’t think they’d do anything to hurt me, but I’ve been burned too many times before to open up to people like that right away.”

Ryuji looked at Ann. “I can do that with you because I’ve known you for a while. And despite everything that happened with Kamoshida, I can still put that trust in you. So, I’m sorry if I’m a little awkward, or a bit hesitant. But I want you to know that the middle school kid you connected with is still there.”

Ann smiled. “Ryuji…”

“So, should I not be here then?” they heard Ren ask.

Ryuji and Ann were alarmed. They looked up to see that Ren was serving them. “Ren?!” they both shouted in unison.

“Hi” Ren greeted them.

“You’re working here too?!” Ann asked.

Ren nodded. “Though it is a bit demanding.”

“How much did you hear?” Ryuji asked.

“Bits and pieces” Ren answered. “I was busy with the other customers.”

“Oh. I see…” Ryuji said

“But I will say, I totally understand what you said about being burned before,” Ren added, sitting down next to them, setting a beef bowl down in front of her. “It took a lot of courage for me to admit that I was a lesbian to you guys. Too many times, that has been a barrier for people liking me. That, and I guess my general attitude.”

“I see…” Ryuji said.

“So go at your own pace Ryuji,” Ren said. “We’ll understand.” She started eating her beef bowl.

“Woah! Aren’t you on duty?” Ryuji inquired.

“Huh?” Ren said, mouth full of beef. “Nuh-uh.” She finished her mouthful. “I just got done. Someone else just started working.”

“I see…” Ann said.

“Do the two of you wanna be alone right now?” Ren asked. “Cause I could move.”

Ryuji smiled. “It’s fine. I think all of the really embarrassing stuff was said already. Unless you want it to be the two of us Ann?”

Ann shook her head. “It’s fine.”

“Sweet,” Ren said. They finished eating their beef bowls, while also just chatting about different things. After they finished, they paid the other server and got up to go. “You go on ahead,” Ren said. “I gotta get my stuff from the back.”

Ann nodded. “Alright, seeya!”

“And thanks again!” Ryuji added. The two of them left.

Ren waved goodbye to them. She then headed back to pick up her things and go. One of those things grew a little impatient. “What took you so long?” Morgana asked.

Ren answered “Just some friendly conversation.”

Morgana pouted. “I wished I could have joined in.”

Ren smiled. “I’ll get you some tuna once we get out of here to make it up to ya.” Morgana perked up. Ren changed back into her usual clothes and headed out.

The next day, she got a message from Jose.

Jose: Hey.

Jose: I know things have been hectic lately with everything going on with Madarame.

Jose: But I was wondering something.

Jose: Would today be a good day to help me study humans?

Jose: I understand if you want to prioritize Madarame first.

Jose: But I want to get to work as soon as possible.

Ren: It’s fine.

Ren: I can come and help you today.

Jose: Really?

Ren: Yeah.

Ren: If I keep prioritizing Phantom Thief stuff, I’ll get too pressured too fast, and that won’t do anyone any good.

Jose: I see.

Jose: Meet me by Kosei.

Ren: Do you have a plan?

Jose: Sort of.

Ren: Well, I guess I’ll just have to go with it.

Ren: See ya soon.

Jose: See you there.

Ren put her phone in her bag and headed off. She made her way to Kosei and saw Jose standing by the gate. “Hey there Madame!”

Ren was confused. “Madame?”

Jose nodded. “I learned that that is a polite way of greeting someone.”

Ren chuckled. “We’re friends, so you don’t need to do that. You can just call me by my name.”

“Oh. OK. Hey Ren” Jose said.

Ren was still chuckling. “Hey Jose. So, what’s your ‘sort of’ plan?”

“Well,” Jose said, fishing through his pocket, “I have these tickets from the theater department to go see a production they’re putting on. I thought seeing a live performance would help me figure out humans better, but…”

Ren was curious. “But what?”

Jose sighed. “Most people who got them were talking about bringing a date, and I’m not entirely sure what that is. Would we be going on a date if I asked you to come along with me?”

Ren was surprised. She looked at Jose. “Um, before I answer that, how much about humans do you already know?”

Jose looked up. “Well, I know functions,” he explained. “I know how people do things. I’m just not aware of why.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So, do you know what a date actually is?”

“Well, based on what I know, a date is when two people hang out together and do something,” Jose said. “But I’m not entirely sure why…”

Ren smiled. “A date is something that happens between two people who are interested in each other romantically.” Jose was a little surprised. “So, I guess the question is, are you interested in me romantically?”

Jose thought about it. “I’m sort of aware about things like love and romance, but I don’t think I fully understand it.”

Ren chuckled. “Don’t worry. Nobody really does. It’s quite complicated.”

“Well, I know the basic idea of it,” Jose said. “But I don’t think I have those sorts of feelings for anyone.”

“And that’s fine,” Ren said. “You seem a bit young, so you might not have those feelings yet. Or ever. And that’s fine too.”

Jose looked up at her. “But isn’t the usual process of romance to find someone to marry and have children with?”

“Well, that’s certainly a very common end result” Ren answered. “But it doesn’t have to be. We’re Phantom Thieves after all. If we just accepted everything society has given us, we wouldn’t be doing what we’re doing.”

Jose thought about it. “I guess you’re right. Those shadows told me that humans were destined for chaos and despair, while you guys told me that wasn’t true.” Jose nodded. “So, I just have to fight for what I believe in.”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren said.

“So, I’m guessing if you were to come with me, it wouldn’t be a date,” Jose explained. Ren shook her head. “I see. Would people think it was?”

Ren was shocked, but not entirely surprised by the question. “Well, I don’t think so. There’s a very apparent age gap between the two of us.”

“Yeah, but in magazines you see like 50 year old business moguls going out with 20-something models, right?” Jose asked.

Ren was shocked again, and this time she was entirely surprised. “That’s… different…”

“So, it would be a ‘no’ then for people thinking we were dating?” Jose asked. Ren nodded. “Alright. But would you like to go together anyways?”

Ren smiled and said “Sure.”

“Great! It’s the least I could do after borrowing that cloak from them” Jose said. “Follow me.” Jose led Ren into Kosei’s theater, Jose presented the two tickets to the ticket taker and they let him and Ren inside.

The theater department was putting on a production of Cinderella. Ren really enjoyed the play, but couldn’t stop blushing as she remembered the dream she had about Sumire a little while ago. Once they were finished, the entire auditorium gave them a standing ovation. Ren looked at Jose, and she could tell that he did like it, but was confused about this part.

Once they left the theater, Ren turned to Jose and asked “How did you enjoy the play?”

Jose had to think for a moment. “Well, I really liked the story. And I liked the way the performers acted it out. But I’m still wondering something…”

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“Why is it that people tell these stories in the first place?” Jose wondered. “Not just on the stage, but through movies, books, games…”

“Well, you enjoyed it, right?” Ren inquired. Jose Looked at her and nodded. “That’s why.”

Jose was surprised. “So, people do things for their own amusement? I see. To be honest, a lot of other creatures do those kinds of things as well. I just thought that humans might have had a bigger reason.”

“What makes you say that?” Ren asked.

“Well, the person that put me up to studying humans in the first place believes that humanity will serve a greater purpose” Jose told her.

“Huh. Well, that seems like a bit of a tall order…” Ren said, nervously. “But maybe it’s not that humans are inherently better than other species. It’s just that we learned how to use these instincts to make something better.”

“Huh. So, it’s a form of magic” Jose said.

“Well, not in the literal sense” Ren explained. “But if you want to think of it like that, then sure.”

Jose went back to thinking. “I’ve been learning in class as well. Whenever I’m arranging flowers, they all start as individual flowers. But by the end, they become an intricate, delicate art piece that inspires many emotions from it. You’re saying humans are like that?”

“Well, they can be,” Ren said. “Unless they’re like Madarame.”

“Right,” Jose said. He grew determined. “I want to fight for the best of humanity. To see it become more than the sum of its parts.” He faced Ren. “And you’ll be there to help, right?”

Ren giggled. “Of course.”

“Great! I can’t wait to get started!” Jose shouted.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Aeon Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power

Aeon-Jose: Rank 1

Jose settled down a little. “By the way. That Cinderella character seems a little familiar…”

Ren lightly chuckled. “Another name for Cinderella is Cendrillon.”

“Oh. Like Sumire’s Persona” Jose replied. “That makes sense. She reminded me a lot of Sumire”

“Yeah,” Ren said, blushing, thinking about her dream again.

Jose nodded. “Thanks for coming along.”

“No problem,” Ren said. “Seeya later!” Ren started walking out.

“Bye!” Jose waved back. Ren smiled and left.

Ren took another shift at the beef bowl place later that evening. It was a little busier than yesterday, but Ren managed. Once her shift was over, she again made herself a beef bowl and sat down to begin eating.

“My, they were working you hard tonight” said a friendly voice. Ren turned towards it to find the street orator she had noticed on Central Street from time to time. “Were you the only one working?”

“Uh, yeah” Ren answered. “It’s kind of how they do things around here.”

“Well, they should fix that,” the man said. “A young lady such as yourself shouldn’t have to do all of that by yourself.”

Ren took a bite of her beef bowl. “I can manage,” she told him.

“Ah, my apologies,” the man said. “I didn’t mean to underestimate you. I just think that anyone your age should have better working conditions.”

“I see…” Ren said. She sighed. “I’m sorry.” The man was slightly taken aback. “You were just looking out for me. I’m not great at talking with people I don’t know too well without complicating things for myself…”

The man smiled. “It’s alright. We’re all prone to making mistakes from time to time.”

Ren smiled and looked at him. “You know, I really like your speeches whenever I get the chance to hear them.”

The man rubbed the back of his head. “Why thank you. It’s not every day I get to hear that.” Ren continued eating. “Say, why don’t you come help me out sometime?” Ren looked up. “You’re an earnest girl, and you’re hardworking. Plus, you seem to have a fair amount of confidence in you. I could use someone like that helping me out.”

Ren swallowed another bite. “What’s in it for me?”

“Ah ha ha ha ha ha!” the man laughed. “Well, of course I would compensate you. But you might also learn a thing or two from me.” Ren was curious. “You told me yourself you weren’t great at talking to people you’re unfamiliar with. As a politician, it’s my job to do just that. Maybe by observing, you can learn something.”

Ren smiled. “I’d like that.”

“Well then, it’s a deal” the man said. “If you could just give me your information, I can contact you on nights I need you.”

Ren got out her phone. She began setting up his contact info, when something occurred to her. “Oh yeah. What’s your name?”

“Ah ha ha!” the man laughed again. “I completely forgot about that. My name is Toranosuke Yoshida.”

“Ren Amamiya” she replied.

After they exchanged information, Yoshida looked at her and said “Thank you for the beef bowl, by the way. I look forward to meeting with you.” Ren smiled.

Yoshida took out his wallet and handed her some cash. Ren was confused. “Um, I thought you already paid for your meal.”

“I did,” Yoshida said. “This is for your meal.”

Ren looked at the cash. She looked back at Yoshida. “Thanks.” Yoshida simply nodded and walked out of the restaurant. Ren finished her bowl, paid, and headed back to get her things. Once she had everything, she headed back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

Alright, next chapter is going to be the palace. I just wanted to get this stuff out there before that. It might be a bit before then though. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 35: Madarame's Palace

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ren decided it was time to begin the assault on Madarame’s palace. She assembled the team immediately after school. Once they had met up, they made some last minute preparations. “Yusuke, are you ready for this?” Ann asked.

“Yeah, it might not be easy,” Ryuji said.

“Do you believe I lack faith in my convictions?” Yusuke asked.

“NO! Not at all!” Ryuji responded.

“It’s just…” Ann added, “what happened with Madarame’s shadow was only the beginning. Once we explore his palace fully, there might be more things that might be hard to swallow.”

“Yeah, some of the stuff in Kamoshida’s palace still sends chills down my spine” Ryuji continued. “And I never thought of that guy as my father.”

Yusuke looked at the rest of the group. He sighed. “While I can’t say I will be fully prepared for everything that might appear, I can say for certain that not doing this would betray everything I stand for. Besides, you’ve all helped me out so far. I believe that you all would help me if things get too much.”

Ren put her hand on his shoulder. “Of course. We’re a team after all.”

Yusuke smiled. “I thank you.” Sumire also smiled and blushed a little.

“Are we ready then?” Jose asked.

Ren nodded. “Let’s go.” The thieves headed out to Madarame’s shack to then slip into his palace.

The thieves looked at the museum. “Man, no matter how many times I look at this thing, it’s still as gaudy as ever” Ryuji chimed.

“Yeah” said Ann. “You’d think Madarame would have an eye for design.”

Sumire looked at it. “I’m guessing this is more of his sense of superiority talking.” Everyone looked at her. “I mean, if he thinks of himself as being on top of the art world, maybe he thinks he can put out anything, regardless of quality, and people will have to like it because it’s Madarame.”

“But that wouldn’t explain why he steals his student’s work” Morgana retorted.

“Well, it kind of does,” Ren said. “If he feels like he could put out anything, maybe he also feels like he could say anything and people would believe him.”

“I know that feeling firsthand,” Yusuke said.

Jose comforted him. “It’s OK. We’ll make sure everything goes right.”

“You’re right,” Yusuke said, standing up straight. “The sooner we get this done, the sooner this eyesore becomes no more.”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren said.

The thieves looked at the police tape on the outside of the museum. “I suppose the front door isn’t much of an option” Yusuke pondered.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Sumire pointed out. “Not many thieves specialize in walking through the front door to get what they want.”

“Exactly!” Ren said. She looked around. “I think we could get in over there,” she said, pointing to a wall.

Morgana nodded. “Good eye Joker! Let’s roll!” They began walking. “Oh, right, before I forget!” Everyone else stopped. Morgana pulled out some more grappling hooks. “For Violet, Sunshine, and Fox.”

The three of them picked them up and equipped them. “How marvelous!” Yusuke shouted.

“It’s very nice” Sumire said. Thank you, Mona-senapi!”

“Aw shucks” Morgana said, blushing.

“It’s very well made,” Jose said. “You’re really good at this.”

“Thank you,” Morgana said.

“Have you thought of attending Kosei as a craftsman?” Jose asked.

“Well…” Morgana said.

“I’m sure there would be several problems,” Yusuke said.

“Besides,” Ren interrupted, “he’s my right hand man. Wherever I go, he follows.”

“Oh” Jose noted. “Well, I don’t wish to intrude on that.”

“Apology accepted,” Ren said. “Now, let’s break into this museum!”

The thieves walked toward the wall. They hopped on a truck and then made their way over the wall to the garden. By hopping across some statues, they made their way to the roof of a section of the museum.

Once they got in, they noticed the paintings on the wall. “Are these people?” Ann shrieked.

“Why would Madarame have these portraits here?” Jose wondered.

“And considering how much he loves himself, why aren’t they of him?” Ryuji added.

“Hmm, maybe we’ll find the answer once we keep looking,” Sumire pointed out.

“Good idea,” Ren said. They turned to see a laser fence set up.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me,” Ryuji said.

“Hang on,” Sumire said, observing it closed. “Some of these aren’t on. We can probably maneuver around them.”

“Good eye Violet,” Yusuke said.

“But wouldn’t he want better security?” Jose asked.

“Well, it’s complicated,” Ren said.

Jose looked inquisitive. “Complicated how?”

“Remember what I told you earlier?” Ryuji asked. “How Madarame is so proud that he won’t admit defeat even when threatened?” Jose nodded. “Well, this plays into that. Madarame is so panicked that he can’t keep a cool head and lets things slip through like this.”

“I see…” Jose thought on that. “So basically, he’s so distressed that cracks start to form him his means of protection.”

“You got it!” Ann said, congratulating him.

Jose nodded. “Now that that’s settled, let’s slip past this thing!” The thieves nodded and one by one, did as such.

On the other side, there were more portraits of people. Yusuke looked at them. “What is it Fox?” Ann asked.

“Something about these feels familiar…” Yusuke said. “Ugh. I can’t quite put my finger on it.”

“Well, let’s head in some more,” Ren said. “No use in standing still.”

“I agree,” Yusuke said. They made their way past some more of the lasers, as well as some of the shadows guarding the area.

As they continued and saw more portraits, they found one that shocked Ann. “Nakanohara?!”

Ryuji looked up. “Yeah! It IS him!”

“You know him?” Yusuke asked.

Ren nodded. “Someone asked us to change his heart.”

“When we did, he gave us the name ‘Madarame’” Morgana added.

“Hmmm” thought Yusuke. “Well, it is true that he was a student of Madarame…” He got a shocked look in his eye. “Ngh! Could it be?!”

“Be what?” Sumire asked.

“This… This is how Madarame views his pupils” Yusuke added.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“So all those people…?” Ann asked.

Yusuke nodded. “They are all students of Madarame.”

“Wait!” Sumire said. “I’m thinking back… Didn’t Madarame’s shadow ask why Yusuke was ‘out here’?”

“You’re right. I think he did” Jose replied.

“Do you think he meant out of this place?” Sumire continued.

“It could very well be,” Yusuke said. “There’s only one way to be sure. Let’s go.” Yusuke continued on. The rest of the Phantom Thieves followed him.

After making their way past some more portraits, they found a particular portrait: Kosuke’s. However, unlike all of the other portraits, Kosuke’s had been altered. There were smudges of ink surrounding it, and Kosuke had taken the time to alter his portrait to look like his shadow-self. “Well, this seems to confirm that these ARE Madarame’s pupils” Ryuji said.

“But why only vandalize this one?” Jose asked.

“Well, if I had to guess,” Ren started, “it’s because to Madarame, these are all his students are. Pieces of art that he created to serve his own purposes. Kosuke probably respects them as people, so he didn’t vandalize them because that would be the same as admitting that they aren’t people. He felt comfortable doing this to his own because he had consent from the subject matter: himself.”

“Woah” Ryuji said.

Jose nodded. “Very astute, Joker.”

“Thanks,” Ren said, blushing.

Yusuke was listless. He turned around and found a portrait that captured his attention. He walked up towards it and stared at it. Ann noticed this and walked over. “Hey Fox? Are you OK?”

“Huh?” Yusuke said. “Oh. Sorry Panther.” He turned back toward the portrait. Ann took a look at it as well. It was of a beautiful, if frail, young woman. “It’s just… something about this portrait feels… familiar somehow. Although I don’t remember this specific pupil.”

Ann took a better look. “She IS beautiful…”

The rest of the thieves made their way over to Yusuke and Ann, and looked at the portrait as well. Ryuji looked to their right. “Wait, you’re telling me you noticed that one, and not that one?!” he asked, pointing to the mural on the far end.

The thieves all went to get a closer look. Sure enough, this was Yusuke’s portrait. “Huh” he said, in sheer disbelief.

“Are you OK?” Jose asked.

“Well…” Yusuke thought. “I’m not surprised I’m here… It’s still disheartening though.”

“Do…” Sumire stammered. “Do you wish to stop?”

Yusuke took a deep breath. “No. I think I’ll be fine. The sooner we steal the treasure, the sooner all of this goes away.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“Ah, I’m sorry,” Yusuke said.

“No, you’re absolutely right,” Sumire said. “In fact, I admire that about you.”

“I beg your pardon?” Yusuke said, surprised.

“Well, it’s just…” Sumire began. “I keep finding that whenever I get really upset, I tend to run away from everything. Although I know that won’t solve anything. I want to be able to be confident in myself, and I want to be myself, but it’s hard sometimes.” She looked at Ren. “Still, with everyone by my side, I know I can do it. And seeing you want to push on after everything we’ve seen so far, I admire that. You’re facing your fears. I wish I had that kind of strength.”

“Ah, I see,” Yusuke said. “Well, to be honest, if I was doing this alone, I probably would have run away a lot sooner. But having everyone else with me helps me calm my nerves. I’m currently Madarame’s only pupil. And I probably would have stayed that way because I had nowhere else to go.” Yusuke cocked a grin. “But now? With the Phantom thieves? I finally feel like I have a home.”

Everyone smiled around him. Ren put her hand on his shoulder. “Thank you. For believing in us.”

“Hmhm. You’re quite welcome” Yusuke said. “Now let’s continue!” They turned their backs to Yusuke’s portrait and headed through the door across from it.

Once they had left, they noticed something. While the room full of portraits was mostly spotless, outside the portrait room was wall-to-wall ink splotches. “Holy shit” Ryuji remarked.

“Well, I guess that confirms your theory, Joker-senpai” Sumire said.

They continued to walk further and found the front desk. “Huh. I guess this is where we would end up if we were to take the front door” Ann said.

“It looks deserted,” Yusuke said.

“Well, I don’t know many museums that open just after a burglary has taken place” Ryuji snided.

“Ah, how delightful” Yusuke said. “You’ve learned the difference between ‘burglary’ and ‘robbery’.”

“Uh… yeah…” Ryuji said, weirded out.

“So, could we have come in through the front?” Jose asked.

Ren shook her head. “It wouldn’t be a safe idea. They’d probably be more alert. Who knows how many guards there are here? Taking them all on at the same time is a fool’s errand. Which is why we need to practice stealth and master the element of surprise.”

They heard a guard walk out. They checked, and the guard hadn’t noticed them. Ren adjusted her gloves. “Like so.”  She whipped around, and used her grappling hook to grapple onto the shadow guard to remove their mask. The rest of the thieves joined her in the fight soon after. The surprise grapple left the shadow dazed and confused, which made the fight go a lot easier. After the fight, Ren looked around the area. “I don’t think anyone else was with them.”

“How’d you do that?” Sumire asked.

Ren smiled. “I learned it from you.” Sumire was confused. “Well, more specifically, I thought about it when I went to ballet with you.”

“I see…” Sumire said, blushing.

“When you were performing just for me, I absolutely adored the way you wielded your ribbon. I figured I could try the same with my grappling hook” Ren continued.

“Oh”, Sumire said, blushing even harder. “Thank you.”

Morgana looked around. “Ah HA!” He lunged towards a stand. He grabbed something out of it. He looked it over. “Lucky for us, this wasn’t smudged with ink.”

Jose looked over. “What is it, Mona?”

Morgana turned and faced everyone else. “A map!”

They all looked at it. “Alright. I’m actually impressed” Ryuji said.

Yusuke looked it over. “It appears to only be for half of the museum though.”

“Yeah, it was like that for Kamoshida too,” Ann said.

“I wonder why that is?” Sumire pondered.

“Hmmmm” Jose thought. “Maybe it’s a symbol that they’re actually afraid.”

“Huh?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, you were teaching me that some people try to put on a brave face when confronted” Jose explained. “Maybe this is a sign that they aren’t as brave as they seem to be. If we don’t have the second half of the map, then maybe he’s hidden it because he’s not confident in himself to defend his palace if we had the whole map at this point.”

Ryuji was stunned. “Wow. I’m impressed. You learn fast, little guy!”

“Well, I’ve learned from the best, '' Jose said, returning the compliment, and successfully making Ryuji blush.

“What’s important is we have something,” Ren said. “And that’s better than nothing.” Ren glanced around. “I suggest we keep moving. Standing still is a death sentence.”

“What a marvelous suggestion, Joker” Yusuke said. The thieves continued onward. They walked past the desk. Soon after, they saw a giant gold sculpture. “What is this?!” Yusuke yelped.

The thieves approached it. Ann read the plaque beside it. “‘The Infinite Well: All students of the Master, Madarame, are the source of unlimited inspiration for him. Once a student has run out of inspiration, then they are no longer fit to serve the Master, Madarame. However, new students come along, and bring new inspiration to the Master, Madarame.’ WHAT?!”

“That PISSES me off!” Ryuji scowled.

“He is bleeding his students dry!” Sumire yelped.

“If this is at the front of his museum, I can only imagine that whatever’s inside is a lot more grotesque” Yusuke said, furious with the man who he called ‘father’.

“I couldn’t agree more!” shouted Kosuke from behind them. The thieves turned to see him. “Maybe we should do something about this particular installment.” He raised his right hand. A giant ball of ink started convalescing around it. He shot it, destroying “The Infinite Well”.

The thieves jumped out of the way. However, pieces of the statue were sent flying everywhere. To make matters worse, a fountain of ink started to burst where the statue’s base used to be. The thieves were panicked.

One of the pieces of the statue hit the wall above the door the thieves came from. Ryuji saw this and thought to hook onto it. “WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!” he shouted. Ann, Jose, and Yusuke followed suit.

Ren noticed another piece of the statue hit the wall above the door they were heading to. “Hm” she grunted. She latched onto that one. Sumire and Morgana followed her.

The thieves on the other side had just gotten up. Kosuke walked past them and made no attempt to attack them. Instead, he walked into the pool of ink he created. “Let this be a warning” he said, as he began sinking into the ink. “That was but a taste of my power. If you interrupt my vengeance against Madarame, you’ll get the full course meal.” He completely disappeared into the ink.

“Well, that was weird,” Ryuji said.

Ren noticed that while the fountain was still flowing, the pool of ink was no longer gaining any ground. The points where both teams were were safe. She looked out. “Skull! Panther! Sunshine! Fox!” They all looked up. “You can either walk around, or you can use your grappling hooks to get up here.”

“Well, you heard her,” Ryuji said. He grappled his way up.

“Is that really necessary?” Ann asked. “She did say we could walk.”

“There’s a saying that I think applies here,” Yusuke said. “When in Rome,” Yusuke started to grapple, “do as the Romans do.” He flew.

“You have to admit, it’s fun,” Jose pointed out. He used his grappling hook.

Ann smiled. “I guess you’re right.” She flew over as well.

Once they were over there, Ryuji asked “So, you think he’s going to try and interrupt us further?”

“Hmmm” Yusuke thought. “Well, I think we should be cautious just in case.”

Ren nodded. “And just a reminder, don’t touch the ink” she told them. “It will make you weaker, but unlike the shadows, it won’t take you out outright.

“Huh” Ryuji said. “And how did you figure this out?”

“We paid a visit to Dr. Maruki” Morgana answered.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“Well, he knows some things about this world,” Ren stated. “I figured it couldn’t hurt.”

“Oh. I see…” Ryuji said.

“What’s wrong?” Ann asked.

“AH, nothing,” Ryuji said. “Hmmm. Maybe I should pay him a visit.”

“You’re really thinking about it?!” Ann asked.

“Well, maybe…” Ryuji said. “I mean, if Joker’s fine enough with it… Besides, my teacher’s been nagging me to pretty much since the day he got here. So it all works out.”

Ann smiled. “I see…”

“Are we good then?” Ren asked. Everyone nodded. “Well then, let’s roll!” The thieves continued their infiltration. They continued noticing that areas with portraits of Madarame’s pupils had very little ink, if any, while places that didn’t were stained left and right.

Eventually, they got to a large hallway. In the middle of it was a giant gold vase. They approached it. “Hm” Yusuke said. “This seems odd. It feels like it belongs in the more Madarame-centric portion of the museum, but here it is in the middle of more portraits.”

“Yeah, I think something’s off about this treasure too” Morgana said. “Wait… could it be?...” Morgana hopped to grab it.

Ryuji was stunned. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU STUPID CAT?!”

As Morgana touched it, an alarm went off. “GAH!” Morgana groaned. Suddenly, he was surrounded by lasers. Soon after, lasers started to form around the rest of the hallway. Some barriers came down, but not before Ren could escape to one side, and Sumire could escape to the other.

Ryuji, who was trapped with Ann, chastised Morgana. “Look what you did!”

“Hey now” Yusuke said, who was trapped with Jose, “there’s no need to get upset right now. Let’s wait until we can get out of here. Then we’ll give Mona a good talking to.”

“OK, but how?” Ryuji asked.

“Leave it to us!” Sumire said. “I’m sure there’s a switch to undo all of this around here. Since Joker and I are free, we can look for it.”

“Good thinking Violet,” Ren said. The two began searching for the release buttons. Ren found her button first, with Sumire finding hers soon after. All that was left was freeing Morgana.

“Hmmm” Ann said. “I don’t think there’s any more buttons around here.”

“Maybe we should just leave him here” Ryuji joked.

“WHAT?!” Morgana yelped.

“Quiet down,” Yusuke said. “We don’t wish to alert the guards like this.”

“Relax, I was only kidding,” Ryuji said. “Gosh, you’re so easy to freak out.”

Ren looked over. “Maybe it’s in there.” She pointed to a control room.

“Good thinking Joker,” Sumire said. “Let’s investigate.”

Everyone, sans Morgana, headed towards the control room. “WAIT!” Morgana called out. Everyone turned to him. “...Um… I… I don’t like being alone…”

Everyone was stunned for a second. Then Jose nodded. “I’ll stay” he said. He walked back over to Morgana. “It’s OK to be lonely sometimes Mona.”

“I… Uh…” Morgana stammered.

Ren giggled. “It’s fine. We’re all friends here.”

Morgana nodded. “Now, could you hurry up and get rid of these lasers.” Ren giggled and nodded again. The rest of the team headed off.

They snuck into the control room. They found the computer that manages the lasers, but they needed a password, which they didn’t have. “Great, now what are we supposed to do?” Ryuji asked.

“Alright, my shift is over” they overheard a shadow say.

Ren smirked. “Maybe some good old fashioned eavesdropping might help.” The thieves snuck over to hear a conversation between two guards.

“So, do you have everything in order?” the retiring guard asked.

“I think so” the incoming guard answered. “But could you remind me of the password again?”

“The password?”

“Well, it’s just, there’s been a slew of infiltrators, recently” the new guard continued. “I just want to be sure of everything.”

“Ah, I see” the old guard said. “Well, it’s actually simple. ‘Hello’ upside down.”

“‘Hello’ upside down?”

“Yes” the outgoing guard said.

“But I thought we used numbers,” the new guard said.

“We do” the other guard answered. “01134. But to make it easier, we just say ‘Hello’ upside down.”

“Oh, I see” said the incoming guard.

“As do we,” Sumire said. She readied her grappling hook and latched onto the outgoing guard and confronted them in battle.

“What the?” said the new guard. Ren then did the same to them. The other thieves joined in. As soon as they were dealt with, they hurried back to the control room and input the code.

They looked over and saw Morgana was freed. “Yes!” The thieves rushed over to him. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Ren said.

“Great, so now that this has been settled, why’d you do that you stupid cat?!” Ryuji asked.

“Because…” Morgana answered. A shadow popped out of the vase. “That.”

The other thieves were surprised. “WHAT IS THAT?!”

“A treasure demon” Morgana explained. “They’re incredibly valuable. So if you find one, it’s good to fight.”

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Ren said. “Let’s rock!” The thieves fought the treasure demon. Once it was knocked down, Ren took it for herself.

“Wow. So you can do that with treasure demons as well?” Morgana said, amazed.

Ren took a second to adjust herself. “Yeah, but I don’t think I can use it in combat.”

“Then what’s it good for?” Morgana asked.

Ren reminded herself of the guillotine stationed in the Velvet Room. “I have a few ideas.”

“Well, now that that’s settled, onward and outward,” Yusuke said. He began walking. The other followed.

Ren looked at Sumire. “By the way.” Sumire looked up at her. “What possessed you to fight those guards?”

“Well…” Sumire began, “I figured if they found out that we used the code, they’d know we’re close by, or at least we've past this point. So I just wanted to make sure that our trail remained hidden.”

Ren smirked. “That reporter’s right. You can be bold when you want to be.”

Sumire giggled. “Thanks senpai.” They continued through the museum.

A little while later, Morgana stopped in his tracks. “Wait,” he said.

“I thought staying still was dangerous,” Yusuke said.

“It is, but…” Morgana said. “It has to be.”

“What does?” Jose asked.

“One of Madarame’s Will Seeds!” Morgana explained.

“...Will ...Seed?” Yusuke inquired.

Ann nodded. “Basically, they’re little bonus treasures that a palace has.”

“And if we collect all three, we get a cool trinket,” Ryuji explained. “Plus, collecting them gives us some more energy.”

“And we get to learn more about why the palace ruler is the way they are,” Ren said. Ren sensed Yusuke’s hesitation. “We don’t have to get them, you know.”

Yusuke steeled himself. “No. I’ve decided to stand against Madarame. I must accept everything that comes with it.”

“Very well. Then let the hunt begin” Ren said. They searched all over the area. They found an area they could grapple to, and from there it was a hop, skip, and a jump to the Will Seed. The thieves entered, Ren picked it up, and again, they heard voices.

“Wow! This is excellent!”

“Ah, thank you” said Madarame.

“Wait, Madarame?” Ann asked.

The other voice continued. “It’s so masterfully done.”

“You’re too kind,” Madarame said.

“If this is what you have now, I can’t wait until your next big piece” the apparent patron said.

“Ah ha, yes, well… I’m looking forward to debuting it…” Madarame said, nervously.

“It’s been a pleasure,” the other voice said. They walked off.

There was a silence. Then they heard Madarame scream. “GAH! Why now? Why have I been cursed with artist’s block NOW?! People are expecting things from me.” A slew of other voices surrounded the room. All of them saying stuff along the lines of “I can’t wait until your next piece.”

“What have I done?” Madarame said, cursing the world. “I’ve done nothing but give beautiful art to the masses.” Another silence. “The masses. What would they know anyhow? All they care about is what’s trending. They don’t know the intricacies of art.” More silence. “I’ll just keep that at the back of my head for now…”

“Huh” Jose said.

“That was a lot different from what we heard with Kamoshida’s Will Seeds,” Ann said.

“How so?” Yusuke inquired.

“Well, Kamoshida’s didn’t feature himself so prevalently” Ryuji said. “It was all about what others thought of him.”

“Basically it sounded like he thought that by becoming a star athlete, he could get anything he wanted” Morgana said. “And when that wasn’t the case, and people put even more expectation on him, he decided to just take what he wanted.”

“Hm” Yusuke huffed. “While it’s true a certain level of prestige can get you things, it can only take you so far.”

“I’m glad we’re in agreement,” Ren said.

“Still, what Madarame is saying here…” Yusuke said. “It sounds like he’s starting to get disillusioned with art.”

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “I sort of felt the same way when Kasumi died. Although it was hard for me to find the point in anything. But I don’t think he should be blaming the public for it.”

“True,” Yusuke said. “Although I doubt he’d become like this if he was one to admit his own faults.”

“Well, whatever the case may be, that’s one down, and two to go” Ryuji exclaimed.

Yusuke grinned. “You’re right. We won’t get the answer just standing around. Come! Let’s sally forth!”

The thieves began walking out. “‘Sally forth’...?” Ryuji pondered. He just shrugged it off. The thieves pressed onward. Soon, they saw a grand hallway. Upon looking in, they say that it was more ink than solid surface, and there were a slew of broken machines. “Woah! What happened here?” Ryuji asked.

“Beats me,” Ann said.

Yusuke looked around. “I know it’s a bit hard to tell, what with all the ink everywhere, but this space looks kind of like the door to Madarame’s secret room.”

“Secret room?” Ren asked.

Yusuke nodded. “The one Kosuke broke into to steal the Sayuri.”

“Ah, that would explain it,” Morgana said. “If it was broken into like that, that would change the cognition of this space as well. I’m sure what was here originally has been altered by that event,”

“I see. How amusing” Yusuke said. The thieves walked in, careful to avoid the ink.

However, in the middle of the room, they were stopped by an elite guard. “Halt! Are you the ones who wish to kill Lord Madarame?”

“No,” Yusuke answered.

“Huh” the guard said. “Still, you are here without the proper authorization. Therefore, YOU MUST BE STOPPED!” The shadow became a powerful enemy.

“Alright, let’s stand our ground!” Ren instructed. The thieves engaged in combat with the powerful shadow. It was a hard-fought battle, but in the end, the thieves won.

“Man, that guy was annoyingly strong” Ryuji lamented.

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “Luckily, we’re all here together.”

“Indeed” Yusuke said. “Shall we carry on?” The thieves went onwards. However, after only a few feet, Yusuke stopped and looked at something. Huh.” He walked over to a stand and picked it up.

The others noticed this. Jose ran up to him. “What is it?”

Yusuke smirked. “I believe this is the other half of the map.”

Ren got a better look at it. “Why indeed it is. Nice catch.”

They all looked it over. “Huh. So we still have a little ways to go” Ryuji noted.

“Are we all feeling good?” Ren asked.

“Well, I’m a little tired, but I can go on,” Ann said.

“Me too!” Sumire said immediately afterwards.

“I can continue as well,” Yusuke added.

“I’m good,” Ryuji said.

“So am I” Morgana said.

“I’m feeling fine too,” Jose said.

“Very well then, let’s continue” Ren said. The thieves pressed on once more. They continued to sneak through the museum.

Soon after, they came across a fallen statue of Madarame. They could tell it was him because the first thing they saw was his head. They looked across the way to see crumbled bits of the statue strewn about. “Woah!” Ryuji shrieked.

“No doubt Kosuke did this,” Sumire lamented.

“While I detest his methods, I probably would do the same” Yusuke said. “I mean, one could hardly call it a statue. As an artist, I would be offended at such a sight. It does not evoke beauty. It does not evoke passion.”

“Um, correct me if I’m wrong,” Jose interrupted. “But isn’t there art that’s meant to evoke less good feelings as well?”

Yusuke closed his eyes. “While that’s true, that kind of art is still passionate, and evokes the beauty of madness. This is just a cry for attention.”

“I see…” Jose said. “I still have much to learn.” The thieves continued.

They made their way to another control booth. However, a strong-looking shadow was guarding it. They hid before the shadow could see it. “What do we do?” Ann asked.

“Well, I don’t think they’re leaving anytime soon,” Ren said. “And this is the only way we can go at the moment.”

“Looks like we have no choice but to fight it,” Morgana said.

“Are you all ready?” Ren asked. They all nodded. “Then let’s go.”

They stormed the guard. “What?! How?!”

“Does it matter?” Ren asked.

“I guess not,” the guard said. “However you managed to get to this point, your journey ends here!” They morphed into a powerful shadow. It was a bit of a struggle, but nothing the thieves couldn’t handle.

“Well, I’m glad that’s settled,” Ryuji said.

“Indeed” Yusuke said. He saw something on the ground where the shadow used to stand. “Hm?” He picked it up.

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“I’m not sure,” Yusuke said. “But it looks like it could be useful. Very artful too.”

“Hmmm” Morgana said, observing it. “This gives off the same energy as the spells our Personas use. Maybe it has something to do with that.”

Ren took a hold of it. “I think you’re right,” she said.

“Now that we know what it is, can we continue?” Ryuji asked.

Ren smiled. “Of course.” They continued into the control room itself. They found the computer. “What are the chances that the password’s the same?”

“Hmmmm. Probably high” Ann said. “I don’t know how much time they would have had to change it.”

“Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?” Ryuji asked.

“An even more powerful shadow comes and decimates us” Sumire answered.

“We get locked in and never get found,” Yusuke continued.

“The computer might blow up on us,” Morgana added.

“Woah, calm down,” Ryuji said. “I wasn’t asking literally.”

“Well, your pessimism wasn’t well founded, because it is the same” Ren said. “I just typed it in now, and unlocked a few things.”

“Cool!” Jose said.

“We should act fast,” Ren said. “Let’s not give them time to change the password.” The thieves nodded and continued on their way.

They soon came across a painting that wasn’t covered in ink, but was not of a student either. “Strange” Yusuke noted. He put his hand up to it, only to find that his arm went through. “Woah!” He took it out.

“Did you just go through the painting?” Ryuji asked.

“I believe I did,” Yusuke said.

Ren looked it over. “Hmm. Maybe we’re meant to go through here.”

“What do you mean?” Sumire asked.

“Well, according to the map, we need to head up there, but this looks like the only way” Ren clarified.

“The fact that there’s no ink here is also telling” Yusuke pointed out. “I’m sure if this was just an average painting, it would have been smothered by Kosuke’s ink.”

“Which means at least Kosuke needs it too” Ann surmised.

“So, I guess we’re going in,” Ryuji said. He walked through. The other thieves followed him in. “Boy, that was surreal.”

“Is someone trampling my bamboo garden?!” Madarame’s voice shouted.

“Is that Madarame?” Ann asked, worried.

“I think it’s just his mind,” Morgana said. “There’s no way Madarame would be here when both he and his treasure are in danger.”

“I guess you have a point,” Ann said.

“Bah! No matter” Madarame’s voice continued. “A bamboo garden is thick. Even if someone were in it, they wouldn’t be able to see through it to reach the truth. Such is the case with art and intention. No one bothers to see the deeper meaning of art. Just as no one can see through my intentions. Everyone sees what they want to see; whether it be a masterful work of art, or a kind old man who dominates the art world.”

“Ngh!” Yusuke said, reeling at those words. “Madarame has really lost himself. Just as I almost did…”

Everyone stood still for a second. Ryuji put his hand on Yusuke’ shoulder. “It’ll be OK buddy.”

Yusuke smiled. “Thank you. That means a lot to me.” They ran to the end of the painting and appeared in the one above. “Huh, so it goes to another painting.”

“This is quite remarkable,” Sumire said.

“Fascinating indeed” Jose added.

“This whole thing does remind me of a dream I had a few years ago” Yusuke said. “Although, instead of phasing through paintings, I was phasing through the TV.”

“Huh” Ryuji said.

“Interesting,” Sumire noted.

“Quite,” Yusuke said.

Ren jumped out of the painting. “Come on down, the museum is fine” she instructed. The thieves followed her out. They continued onwards and found more paintings.

“More paintings?!” Ryuji said, shocked.

Yusuke looked up. “Furthermore, some of them are empty frames.”

“Well, I think we should pursue this at least” Ann said “I mean, it worked out last time.”

“There’s no harm in trying,” Jose pointed out. They made their way to the first accessible painting.

Just like before, Madarame’s voice began blaring out. “The desert. A vast emptiness where most people cannot survive. Such is the world of art. If those who wish to traverse such dangerous terrains want to survive, they need to do as they’re told.”

“Pft!” Ryuji huffed. “It would probably be easier to traverse without dirtbags like you sabotaging people.”

“While it’s true there are risks to entering the art world” Yusuke said, “the same could be said about every career.”

“Madarame probably just feels special for being as successful as he is” Jose rationalized.

They continued on. The next painting was of a Shrine gate in the clouds. Madarame's voice took over. “The gods. People continually praise them and ask for guidance. They offer money and glory for goodness and well-being. Art is the same. People praise artists for bringing beauty to the world. Surely, continuous money and praise is the least I could ask for.”

“He’s comparing himself to a god?!” Ann shrieked. “How pathetic!”

“Indeed” Yusuke agreed. “If he is a deity, he’d be a lunatic of a god.”

“Or perhaps the constant praise went to his head” Sumire interjected. “To those who follow art closely, he might be a god.”

“Well then they’re also not all there” Ryuji rebutted. “If Madarame’s a god, he’s the god of a lunatic.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“Do we just go on?” Jose said.

Ren looked around. “Hmmm. Ryuji, you go on ahead. I want to test something.”

“OK” Ryuji said. He walked off. A few moments later, he appeared behind the rest of them. “What the?”

“Ryuji? What happened?” Ann asked.

“I somehow ended up back in the desert painting.”

“Just as I thought,” Ren said.

“Wait, you KNEW?!” Ryuji said.

“Well, I had a hunch,” Ren said. Ren turned towards the gate. “Let’s try this.” They walked through the gate.

They ended up in a jungle area. Madarame’s thoughts persisted. “A sapling cannot grow if left to its own devices. It needs help; whether it be from the trees surrounding it, or a caretaker. And yet, a sapling’s ability to grow is fascinating in and of itself. Surely, harnessing such power to those who know how to wield it would make greater things.”

“What the?!” Morgana shrieked. “He’s just saying he’s jealous of young artists here. That’s hardly a justification for anything, let alone what Madarame is doing! I might have the body of a cat, but at least I’m trying.”

“Do we go up?” Yusuke asked.

“I don’t see why,” Ren said. There’s a button right here.” She jumped out of the painting. Everyone else followed her. She pushed it, and one of the empty frames filled up.

“So that’s how it works,” Yusuke said, stunned.

“Hmm, it looks like there’s another button up next to it,” Sumire observed.

“That probably unlocks the last painting” Ann said. “Nice catch Violet.”

“Thanks Panther-senpai,” Sumire said.

“Well then, let’s do the painting warp again” Ren said. They found their way back to the desert painting and trial and errored their way to the new painting.

Again, Madarame’s voice took over. “The job of a ship is to stay afloat on the water. If the ship feels like something will sink it, they go out of their way to make sure it doesn’t. Whether that be the creatures down below, or another ship. A ship’s only job is to stay afloat on the water.”

Sumire looked forlorn. “What’s wrong Violet?” Yusuke asked.

“Sorry” she said, tears forming in her eyes. “It’s just…I always felt like I was in the process of sinking Kasumi’s ship. Yet when I was close to sinking myself, Kasumi saved me… I can’t forgive someone so selfish!”

Yusuke looked at Sumire. “Well put. We shall use Kasumi’s kindness as a guide and show Madarame that ships can sail together and form a powerful armada strong enough to withstand any sea creature or tidal wave.”

Sumire laughed. “Thank you Fox-senpai.”

They jumped out and hit the button, revealing the last painting. “Alright, are we ready to go through this one last time?” Ren asked. They all nodded. “Good. Let’s go.”

Again, they made their way back to the desert painting and began the process once more. They eventually landed in the last painting, an ancient prestigious residence, and Madarame’s voice rang out once more. “No matter how many people love a piece of art, its state is always in flux. People will still deny its goodness. No one can agree. However, the things art can get you, no one can deny that. Because of art, I have enormous wealth. I have prestige. I’ve had countless mistresses willing to do anything for me, including putting their name on my actual home. I have a spot with the wealthy and elite. Everyone can agree that that’s good.”

“So he just wants security that what he does is right?” Ren said. “What a pathetic piece of shit.”

“Agreed” Yusuke said. “If a piece of art makes one person smile, that’s more than enough for a true artist.” They hopped out. “Finally, we’re out of that nightmare.” Yusuke looked at the paintings they were just in. “All those paintings, and not one mention of a love of art. Even with images in them, those frames are truly empty.”

“It’ll be OK Fox” Ren said, comforting him. “We’re on track to getting Madarame to confess everything.”

Yusuke calmed down. “Truly that will be a masterful work of art.” They continued onwards.

Morgana perked up again. “Another Will Seed!”

“Well then, let’s have a look around,” Ren said. They searched, and soon enough, they found the second Will Seed. Ren picked it up, and they began hearing more voices.

“I just can’t seem to get out of this rut!” they heard Madarame cry out.

“I’m sure you will eventually,” said a gentle female voice. “Remember, patience is a virtue.”

“I know, I know” Madarame continued. “It’s just hard. By the way, what are you working on?”

“Oh, just a little self-portrait” the woman said. “Nothing too spectacular.”

“May I see?” Madarame asked. There was a silence. Then a thud.

“What?!” Yusuke said.

“Are you alright?!” Madarame’s voice asked. No answer. “I better call an ambulance.”

A noise rang out to indicate that time had passed. “I’m sorry” said a different voice. “We tried everything we could, but there was nothing we could do.”

“I see,” Madarame said.

“She’s had experiences like this before, correct?” the other voice continued. There was a silence. “I see. I guess this one just got to her.”

There was another silence. “Thank you,” Madarame said.

“We’ll escort the body out of here” the other voice said. “I’m assuming you’ll make the funeral arrangements.”

“Of course” Madarame said. “Here’s my card.”

“Thank you. And I’m sorry” the other voice said. Footsteps were heard leaving.

“What were you working on?” Madarame wondered. He went over. “WHAT?! You make something so beautiful! So perfect! And you think I could have come out of my rut with something better?! Well, I guess she’s dead… There’s no point in taking it out on her… No one KNOWS it’s hers, right?... Perhaps I could just borrow it…”

“Wh-What was that?” Ann said, chills down her spine.

“Is he talking about the Sayuri?” Yusuke asked.

“So it IS stolen!” Ryuji shouted.

“Furthermore, the person who created it died,” Ren said. “Which is even more gross.”

Sumire was furious. “I almost want to let Kosuke get him now.”

“But you’re not going to let him, right?” Jose asked.

Sumire was shocked. “Oh, sorry. Yes Sunshine. I’m not going to let him. It’s just… the subject of death hits really close to me. I just got riled up a bit. I wouldn’t let Kouke do what he wants because it also involves death, and I’m firmly against that.”

“I see,” Jose said. “I’m sorry for asking. I’m also learning about humans and stuff.”

Sumire was stunned. She smiled and patted Jose on the head. “It’s OK. I forgive you.”

“We’re almost to the treasure” Morgana reminded them. The third Will Seed will probably be close to the treasure as well. Let’s roll out!” Morgana left, and the thieves followed out behind him. They continued going through the palace until they walked through a door. The sight they saw was confusing to say the least. “What the?!” Morgana yelped. “This… This wasn’t on the map!”

“This looks like an Escher painting if it were drowned out by Madarame’s gold fascination” Yusuke noted.

“OK, but ummm, how do we get through?” Ryuji asked.

“We could find another way around,” Ann pointed out.

“But the map made it look like this was the only way” Sumire interjected.

“I guess we just have to force our way through whatever this is,” Ren said.

“The only way to go is forward,” Yusuke said. The thieves began their trek through this madness. They soon found a row of copies of the Sayuri. “What?”

“What’s the meaning of this?” Ryuji wondered.

“Hmmmm” Jose thought. “Could it be?”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, turning to him. “Could it be what?”

“Well, I had heard some rumors at Kosei that there are a fair amount of forgeries of the Sayuri going around” Jose explained.

“Wait, are you suggesting that Madarame is making the copies?” Ann asked.

“Well, it would give a reason to fake the stealing of the Sayuri” Ren pondered. “If he pretends to have found the real one and sells it, he can make a lot of money off selling it. He could do that a lot even.”

“So he’s hustling the Sayuri?” Ryuji said.

“How truly vulgar!” Yusuke fumed.

“Still, why is this here though?” Sumire asked. “Between this place not being on the map and the various copies, what does it all mean?”

They thought for a moment. “Well, maybe all of these copies suggest that he’s unsure of what it’s supposed to look like,” Ren said. “And this whole area suggests that he’s lost his mind.”

“Of course he did,” Morgana said. “He wouldn’t have a palace otherwise.”

“No, I mean more in the sense that he himself is confused,” Ren explained. “There’s no map to this place because he can’t even navigate it.”

“So, you’re saying his mind is failing him?” Ann inquired. Ren nodded. “I see.”

“I guess if you’ve been so powermad for as long as Madarame has, it makes sense that his mind would start blurring fact and fiction” Ryuji said.

“How eloquent of you Skull” Yusuke said.

“So, I’m guessing we need to figure out which is the real one?” Sumire

“If that’s all, then it should be fairly easy,” Yusuke said.

“How can you be sure?” Ren asked.

“I’ve studied the Sayuri endlessly,” Yusuke said. “It is one of my favorite pieces of art. Or at least it was… With all this going on, I can’t be sure anymore.”

“If it helps, it doesn’t sound like Madarame made it anyhow” Sumire said.

“True, but he’s been corrupting it ever since its inception” Yusuke said. “Still, the masterful work, and the enticing subject matter itself might rise above whatever darkness is in Madarame’s heart.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

Yusuke looked at them. “It’s this one.” Once he selected the right one, a light showed up and guided them to a door.

“Alright!” Ryuji chered.

“If I may,” said a voice. The thieves turned to face Eris.

“What are you doing here?” Ann seethed.

“Who is she?” Yusuk asked.

“Eris” Ren answered, glaring at her.

“Forgive me, but chaos is my domain” Eris said. “And since this area is full of it, I feel at home.”

“What do you want?” Ryuji sniped.

“My, how rude” Eris said. “I’m only here to help.”

“Help how?” Sumire asked.

“Simple,” Eris said. “Once you open every door, I will consolidate everything and put it on your map, making it easier for you to traverse when you come back.”

“How can we trust you on this?” Morgana asked.

“Well, you don’t HAVE to,” Eris said. “But we both agree that something is happening to Madarame. Whether or not you wish that to be death or a confession.”

“Don’t you want Madarame to die?” Jose asked. “You gave Kosuke his abilities.”

“True, but I’m more interested in chaos” Eris reminded them. “Whether or not Madarame dies because of this is of no concern for me. Come what may, the impact this will have will surly cause a ruckus.”

Ren glared at her some more. She sighed. “She has a point. I guess there’s no harm in agreeing to this.”

“For real?!” Ryuji said.

“Glad you could see things my way” Eris said.

Ren stared down Eris again. “This doesn’t mean I’m agreeing with your methods. You’re just offering help and I’m taking it.”

“Ooooooo. Stunning” Eris said. “No matter. I’ll break you soon enough.”

Ren stood her ground. She turned around. “Team. Let’s move out.” She started walking to the door. After a few more challenges of finding the real Sayuri, they made it through this maze.

“My, you guys are good” Eris said. “As promised,” she snapped her fingers and the pathway became a straight line from the door they entered to the door they were at. “Eris OUT!” She vanished.

“What’s with her?” Ryuji asked.

“She appears to be playful, but I sense a strong danger behind that” Yusuke surmised.

“Yeah, that’s pretty much her in a nutshell” Ann said.

“She’s always going on about how right she is too” Ren snarked. “Truth is, I find her to be not all that different from the people we’re changing the hearts of.” “Does she have anything that makes her different?” Sumire asked.

Ren hesitated. She sighed. “I think she might be hitting on me as well.”

“Oh!” Sumire said, blushing. “Do… Do you not like that senpai?”

Ren blushed. “Well, it’s gotta come from the right person,” she explained. “And her constant threats, her blatant disdain for what I think, and her wanting wanton destruction, tells me that we would not be compatible.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

“Anyway, let’s press on,” Ren said, still embarrassed. They left through the door and appeared outside the treasure room.

“Is that Maarame?” Yusuke asked.

“And look!” Morgana pointed out. “Behind him is the treasure!”

“Hmmm. Let’s get a closer look” Rne said. They investigated.

“That’s the treasure alright!” Morgana said.

“So, we good?” Ryuji asked.

“Hmm, I don’t think so,” Jose said. “While we know where it is, it doesn’t look like we can grab it.”

“Sunshine’s right,” Morgana said. “There’s a bunch of guards there, as well as the lasers. Not to mention there’s a lot of ink. Kosuke could strike if we aren't ready. We need to figure out a better way to get to it.”

“We’ve come this far,” Ren said. “There’s no reason we can’t do that as well.” The thieves nodded. They looked around and found another control room. “Bingo!”

“We still have the password as well,” Ryuji said. “So we’re good to go.”

Ren looked over the three options. First she opened the shutters, which she noticed on the map the computer had opened up the remainder of the floor to them. Then she shut down the lasers. However, the thieves saw that the lasers didn’t go down. “Huh” she said. She looked at the computer. “‘Error. Only Lord Madarame can use this function.’”

“Well that’s a bit of a problem,” Yusuke said.

“Let’s keep trying things,” Jose said.

Ren pressed the shut down power option. The lights in the treasure room shut off. “What’s going on?” Madarame asked.

“It seems the power shut off” a shadow guard answered. “It should be on again soon.” The lights came back on. “See?”

“Hmmmm.” Madarame pondered. “Go investigate the control room.”

“Yes sir” the guard said. They left.

“Well they’re on their way here” Ryuji said.

“On the plus side, that’s all the options,” Ren said.

“How is that the plus side?” Ryuji asked.

“Because we can prepare for a sneak attack!” Ren answered.

“Oh.” Ryuji said, deflated. He reinflated and said “YEAH!”

“Plus we know what we can do here” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “Now let’s lay in wait.” The thieves hid.

The guard showed up. “I guess it was nothing.”

“NOW!” Ren said.

“Huh?” the guard said. They got ambushed. Soon, they were soundly defeated by the Phantom Thives.

“We good?” Ren asked. The thieves affirmed her. “OK. We’re almost home free. Let’s see what we can do.” The thieves left the control room and went to the other hall. Soon, they came across the third and final Will Seed. Of course, there was a guard there as well.

“I feel like we can take them on!” Yusuke said.

“You heard the man,” Ren said. They approached the shadow and engaged in combat. While the battle was rough, the Phantom Thieves came out victorious in the end.

They entered the room. Ren picked up the final Will Seed. People could be heard applauding. “Excellent Madarame!”

“You really outdid yourself this time!”

“Thank you, thank you” Madarame said.

“Tell me. What is the title of this piece?”

There was some silence before Madaram answered “‘Sayuri’.”

“My, how marvelous. What a fittingly mysterious and elegant name.”

“This will surely be your magnum opus.”

“Ah ha, you’re too kind,” Madarame said. The thieves could sense the nervousness in his voice.

“Wait” Ryuji said. “Something just occurred to me. If the woman from before said it was a self-portrait, then was her name ‘Sayuri’?”

“Not bad,” Morgana said.

“I doubt it,” Yusuke said. “That would probably give it away.”

“Still, to do something this heinous,” Ann said, “it’s unforgivable!”

The Will Seeds fused into The Crystal of Vanity. The Crystal of Vanity projected an image. Madarame was by himself in the museum where he presented Sayuri for the first time. “No one can know. No one can ever know.” He stared at the painting. “People are calling you my greatest work ever. Yet your true artist didn’t think of you as anything but decent.” He stared at the painting some more.

A thought occurred to Madarame. “Of course. Art is subjective. People only see the things they want to see. Yet now, I have the ability to tip those scales. This is my out! This is how I became a household name! Playing things by the book wouldn’t have given me results like this. So why bother?

Heh. People will send me students. Those students will send me art. The art will send me prestige. What a beautiful cycle. So perfect. And the best part is, no one will believe them. For truth is also subjective. And people only see what they want to.” He looked at the painting once more. “Thank you. I would never have come up with such an idea on my own.” The image ends.

Everyone’s heartbeat was racing. “So this is when Madarame spiraled out of control, huh?” Yusuke said.

“What does he mean by ‘the truth is subjective’?” Jose asked. “Surely there can only be one truth.”

Sumire turned to him. “When he says ‘truth’ he means ‘what people will believe’ and not necessarily the actual truth.”

“Although when your beliefs are hard set in lies, they become the truth” Yusuke said. “Or at least feel like it…”

There was an uneasy silence among the group. Ren put her hand on his shoulder. “It’ll be alright. Most of us here have been lost in the fog of false beliefs before. What’s important now is that we deal with them and keep moving forward.”

Yusuke perked up. “You’re right,” he exclaimed. “I do not wish to get lost like Madarame or Kosuke. It is time for swift action!”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren cheered.

“Way to go Fox!” Ann exclaimed. They left the room.

They found their way to an area about the hall. They spotted a mechanism of some sort. “What’s this?” Yusuke asked.

“Hmm” Morgana observed. “It seems to be connected to something in the rafters.”

“Lucky for us, rafters and thieves go together like peanut butter and jelly” Ren said. “Let’s investigate.”

They did. “A crane?” Sumire said.

“Ah! Look!” Yusuke said. “That’s the treasure!”

“And there appear to be no lasers above it” Jose pointed out.

“Heh heh heh” Morgana chuckled. “This gives me an idea.” “Whatever it is, can we meet back inside?” Ryuji asked. “We don’t want to yell and alert Madarame.”

“Very well,” Morgana said. They moved back in. “So, the plan is as follows: We can use the crane to get the treasure!”

“Uh, they’ll notice if one of us drops down ya dumb cat” Ryuji chastized.

“Not if the lights are out!” Morgana retorted. “Which we can do!”

“The control room!” Ann said. “Wait, but they’re only out for a few seconds.”

Morgana nodded. “Which means we have to be precise. But I think we have enough people to make it work.”

“But what about Kosuke?” Sumire asked. “There’s a lot of ink splattered around. It’ll all be for not if he bursts out and strikes Madarame where he stands.”

“Huh. That’s a good point” Morgana said.

They all thought. “I’ve got it!” Jose said. “What if there’s a distraction?”

“What do you mean?” Ren asked.

“Well, if someone were to confront Madarame head on, surly the guards would escort him away” Jose explained. “We’re only after the treasure, so that’ll serve us twofold.”

“I guess that could work,” Ren said.

“Great! I’ll volunteer!” Jose said.

“What?!” Ren said.

“Uh, no offence, but I’m not sure you’re strong enough on your own” Ryuji said.

Jose shook his head. “I don’t have to be. I just need to be hard to catch.”

“But how will you regroup with us?” Yusuke asked.

“I could use my grappling hook to latch onto the crane as it’s going up in the darkness” Jose answered.

Ren looked him over. “Very well.”

“Alright, then everyone else’s parts are as follows:” Morgana instructed. “Skull, your job is to lure the security guard out of the control room if there is one. That way Panther can get in and shut the lights down. Joker, you operate the crane, which I will be on. Violet will watch the doorway for any intruders. Fox, you’re in the rafters when everything is ready, you give the signal to Joker and Panther to begin their parts. Once the lights come back on, we’ll meet up here and head out!” Everyone nodded.

“Good plan Mona” Ren said. “Well then, I think that’s everything. Let’s head home for the day.” The thieves snuck their way through the palace and headed outside.

Before they left, Ren felt an energy. She turned to find Lavenza. “Come with me for a moment.” She said Ren followed her. They ended up in the Velvet Room. Lavenza continued. “I am very impressed with the progress you’ve made.”

“Thank you,” Ren said. There was some silence. “Is that all?”

Lavenza shook her head. “Um… This is rather embarrassing. I am not familiar with life outside of the Velvet Room. However, I can come and go as I please, so long as you are on your journey. I wish to explore, but… I wouldn’t know how to.” Lavenza blushed.

Ren smiled. “You’re asking me for help?”

“If it wouldn’t be too much trouble…” Lavenza said.

“No trouble at all” Ren said.

“Very well,” Lavenza said. “Meet me outside the Velvet Room at night when you wish to escort me.” Ren nodded. She left the Velvet Room, and her and her team left the palace for the evening.

Notes:

I think this is the longest chapter of anything I've put out. I'm defiantly going to take a bit of a break from this story after this. I used to think Madarame's palace was less intricate as Kamoshida's, but trying to fuse it all into a one day excursion, as opposed to two days, made me think otherwise. I don't know if there's going to be any more introductory things, which might shorten future palaces, but that'll only go so far. Especially if there are changes.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 36: Girls in Love

Notes:

Happy (belated) Birthday Sumire and Kasumi! Yeah, so I saw people on Twitter celebrating, and if I was a little more observant, or aware that people would celebrate, I'd probably have done something for the day of. But I wrote this up and am posting it a day late. I just hope it's not a buck short.

Speaking off, this is shorter than my usual chapters, but I did want to fit it into the story, and this idea of Ren and Sumire thinking about themselves, and how they're changing, and how they like each other felt so perfect on its own, I didn't want to add on to it. Even though what happens next does involve them as well. I just wanted to keep this bit to itself.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter Text

Ren arrived at Le Blanc, tired from that day’s excursion. Sojiro looked at her. “I thought midterms already happened.”

“They did,” Ren said. “I just spent some time with my friends. We lost track of time.”

“Seems like you lost track of more than just that” Sojiro said. He smiled. “Have a seat.” Ren did so. Sojiro poured her a cup of coffee. “Here.”

Ren looked up. “You sure?” Sojiro nodded. She glanced into the mug, her reflection staring back at her. She had always felt confident. She always felt like she could handle her own. While the world tossed her aside, she could survive.

Yet, as she looked at her reflection, she felt different. She had felt like she needed to defend herself at all times. Now she looked at herself and saw someone who felt freer than ever before. Someone who could actually reach out to people without being afraid of being pushed back. She had heard that the Phantom Thieves gave people courage, however, she also felt like they gave her courage as well.

Courage is a slow build, however, and as the light hit the coffee, it gained a reddish hue. This reminded Ren of Sumire’s red hair. Sumire. Ren’s ultimate hurdle. The girl she was slowly, but surely, falling in love with.

Sumire was a lot of things. Like everyone Ren had gotten close with, she was broken, but healing. But Ren saw more than that. Sure, Sumire was cute. But she was also earnest. Kind. Charming. She was timid, but bold when it counted. She lacked faith in herself, but was confident of everyone around her, which gave her more confidence. She was unafraid to show how she truly felt in any given moment, something which Ren felt a little jealous about.

All of those things combined made Ren’s heart flutter. Could I really do it? Would she accept? Would we still be friends if she didn’t? I know she’d SAY yes, but… She looked at her reflection once more. She noticed that she was blushing now. I at least have to try. Or else this new me will mean nothing.

Ren heard a photograph being taken. She looked up to see a burly man. “Sorry” he said. “It’s just, I… dabble in art from time to time, and your pose was so striking, I just felt I had to capture it.” He sat down next to her. “My name is Kosuke. Kosuke Ogawa. What's your name?”

Ren was surprised for a multitude of reasons. Could they be one in the same? Still, she figured she better not set off any alarm bells, and simply nod and say “Ren. Ren Amamiya.”

“Well, Ren,” Kosuke began, “with your permission, I’d like to turn this photograph into a painting.” He held it up to her.

Ren was stunned. It was a nice photograph. She looked up at her. “How long will it take?” she asked.

“Eh, I’d say about a week,” Kosuke answered. “It usually takes a bit longer, but… I have some plans at the beginning of next month that’ll... take up a fair amount of time.”

So they are the same. “Very well then. You have my permission.”

“Thanks,” Kosuke answered. Ren began drinking her coffee. “Before I do, I just want to make sure of one thing. You were thinking of the guy you liked, correct?”

Ren glanced at him. “You could say that…”

“I knew it,” Kosuke said. “A pure, unbridled love. How marvelous.” He turned to Sojiro. “Hey boss.”

Sojiro looked up. “Oh, it’s you” he said, delighted. “I’m glad you came back.”

“I’m glad as well,” Kosuke said. “Listen, does this girl come here often?”

Sojiro got confused, then concerned. “Why?”

“He’s painting a portrait of me,” Ren said. “I’m guessing he wants to give it to you to give it to me.”

“Oh. I see” Sojiro answered. “Well, I guess I can do that. You’ve been such a good customer after all.”

“Ha ha! I knew I could count on you” Kosuke said. “Tell ya what. I’ll take a coffee, and I’ll pay for her drink as well.”

Sojiro, who was giving her the coffee for free, smirked and said “Very well.” He served Kosuke his coffee.

Once Kosuke was done, he put the money on the counter. “Well, seeya later then.” He left.

Sojiro grabbed the money. He looked at Ren. “You're just gonna let that happen?”

Ren finished sipping the last of her coffee. “I don’t think he would have cared, honestly.”

“Heh. I guess you’re right” Sojiro said. “I get that vibe from him.”

Ren put her cup in the sink. “Well, I’m off to bed.”

“Good night” Sojiro said, as Ren headed upstairs.

Meanwhile, Sumire arrived home, also exhausted. She knew her parents were in bed by now, so she remained quiet. Still, she was hungry, so she got out her earbuds, put them in, and started making herself some food. “Boy, invading a palace really takes it out of you. In that sense, I guess it is like ballet.”

She continued cooking for herself. When she got to a point where she needed to wait, she sat down. She looked over. On the table was a picture of Kasumi. She got up and picked it up. “Kasumi… It’s strange to think that not too long ago I would have seen my face in this frame. I wish you were here. I guess I wished that too hard though.” She giggled.

She smiled. “I think I’m falling for someone. Part of me wants you here to tell me to go for it. But I know the person I like would want me to make that decision on my own. Besides, I still feel you here pushing me in that direction anyways.

...Kasumi. I’ve always looked up to you. But I got so entwined with you that I couldn’t see myself. But you could. And she could too. Well, I guess that’s not right. She only saw me because I wanted her too. She’s so cool. Brave. Witty. Always willing to help others. She’s everything I could ever want. Of course I would want her to see me.” She looked at Kasumi’s picture. “And I want you to see me too.”

Sumire frowned. “I know it’s a selfish request. Because I get to do and see things that you’ll never be able to. And I really do wish you could do and see those things on your own too. But I’ve decided. I’m going to do what I want. For too long, I was too afraid to be myself.”

Sumire blushed. “But now, with her by my side, I feel braver than ever. So I’ll do everything I possibly could want to do. And I really want her by my side. I just want you to be with me as well. Giving me courage. Strength.”

“Of course.”

“Huh?” Sumire was shocked. She looked around. She looked back at the picture. “Kasumi?” Sumire’s timer went off. “Ah!” She went back to fixing herself some food.

While Sumire had her earbuds back in, there was a voice she could faintly hear about the noise of the music she was listening to. “I’ll be with you. Forever and always.”

Chapter 37: Standing Firm

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was lunchtime. Sumire had brought her food to the office of Dr. Maruki. She gulped. “Here goes.”

She was about to knock when she heard “Sumire-chan?” She looked up to see Dr. Maruki.

“Dr. Maruki!”

Maruki smiled. “Well, this was unexpected, but please, come in.” Maruki opened the door.

As they were about to walk in, they heard a voice. “Hold it.” They turned and saw the vice principal. “Principal Kobayakawa wishes to meet with you Yoshizawa.” He looked at Marui. “You should come as well.”

“Oh, uh, sure, I guess” Sumire said, confused.

Maruki noticed she was panicked. “Uh, I guess I’ll come along as well.” The three walked to the principal’s office.

They opened the room to an even bigger surprise. “Mom? Dad? Coach Hiraguchi?” Sumire yelped.

“Please, have a seat,” principal Kobayakawa said. Sumire sat down, while Mauki remained standing.

“What’s this about?” Sumire asked.

“I’d like to know as well,” Hiraguchi said. “You called me here suddenly, saying it was urgent.”

“Yeah,” Shinichi said.

“Ah, yes,” Kobayakawa said. “Please understand, this is all for Sumire-chan’s sake.” He got a little more serious. “It has come to my attention that Sumire hasn’t been going to practice every day that she could be.”

“Ah!” Sumire shrieked.

“Why I’m only hearing about this now is surprising to me,” Kobayakawa said. “I would have thought you would have called me by now Coach Hiraguchi.”

“Is this true?” Akane asked.

“Well…” Sumire started.

“It’s because I permitted it,” Hiarguchi said, surprising everyone in the room. “Sumire hasn’t been doing as well ever since… well…” Everyone looked a little pained, but Maruki also felt a tinge of guilt. Hiraguchi refocused. “She asked for time to find herself, and I agreed to that, so long as she came to practice once a week.”

Everyone was silent for a moment. “I see,” Kobayakawa said. “So it’s for her to get better at gymnastics.” Hiraguchi nodded. “Well, as noble as that goal is, you can agree that with her not pursuing gymnastics full time while still being an honors student might seem unfair.”

“What are you saying?” Shinichi asked.

“What I’m saying is we might need to remove her status,” Kobayakawa said. “I didn’t want to make any rash decisions, so I was hoping we could discuss this.”

“Are you out of your mind?!” Shinichi said, standing up.

“Calm down,” Akane said. Shinichi looked at his wife, nodded, and sat down.

“I can understand why you’d be upset,” Kobayakawa said, “but we at the school need to consider the feelings of all of our students.”

“You didn’t have trouble not thinking about that with the whole Kamoshida thing” Sumire said under her breath. Everyone looked at her surprised. She got surprised herself. “Did I say that out loud?”

Kobayakawa sighed. “While it was unfortunate what happened with Kamoshida, we had no idea it was going on.”

There was another uncomfortable silence. “Well, Sumire seems a bit… candid today” Maruki said. “Maybe we should hear what she has to say.”

Shinichi and Akane glared at him. “...Why are you asking to do this?” Sumire asked.

“Well, if you need to skip school for gymnastics events,” Kobayakawa answered. “Of if you’d like to pass on doing the otherwise mandatory clean up day next week to get some more training in.”

“...I was planning on going anyway,” Sumire said, blankly.

“I see…” Kobayakawa.

“I don’t think I’d be in great enough shape to ace any of the competitions,” Sumire continued. “Maybe I don’t need to be an honors student.”

“Sumire!” Akanae said.

“It’s alright,” Hiraguchi said. She looked at Sumire. “I understand you not feeling like you’d be at your best, but if you’re still interested in gymnastics, I still want you in those competitions. Win or lose, they’re good practice.”

“Now, hold on,” Kobayakawa said. “Being an honors student means getting results.”

“Huh?” Sumire said.

“Don’t you think that’s a bit much?” Maruki asked. “I don’t think that’ll help like you think it will.”

“Like you’re much help,” Shinichi mumbled.

“He’s gotten better…” Sumire said.

Her parents were shocked. Shinichi blurted out “But he-”

“I know!” Sumire said. “But in all honesty, it was helpful. If it wasn’t for him, I probably would still be barely able to get out of bed in the morning. Having Kasumi’s strength to lean on a little while longer pushed me enough to find my own strength. And while it hasn’t fully manifested, I’d like to think I’m getting somewhere.”

Shinichi and Akane were surprised. “If I may,” Maruki said. “I feel like giving Sumire the ability to do what she wants would be healthiest for her.”

“Now there’s an assessment of yours I can agree with” Hiraguchi said, snidely.

“I guess I’m a little infamous, huh” Maruki noted.

“So, what do you want to do Sumire?” Hiraguchi asked.

Sumire thought for a second. “Well, I want to continue doing gymnastics, and I wish to continue finding myself, but if I can’t be an honors student while doing so, then so be it.” Her parents were shocked.

“Now hold on,” Kobayakawa said. “I don’t think you can do gymnastics at the level you’re doing without being an honors student.”

“Well then, why don’t we make a deal?” Hiraguchi said.

“What kind of deal?” Kobayakawa said.

“Well, as Sumire pointed out earlier, you’re in need of a gym teacher,” Hiraguchi said. “You know my qualifications…”

“And your price is keeping Sumire’s honors status…” Kobayakawa said.

“A few other things as well” Hiraguchi. “But I’m sure we can discuss that further.”

Kobayakawa started Hiraguchi down. Hiraguchi stared back. “Very well. I’ll consider it. We’ll have a meeting to discuss this further. I’ll call with the details.”

“Thank you,” Hiraguchi said.

Kobayakawa smiled. “Thank you for your time.” Sumire, her parents, Hiraguchi, and Maruki left the room.

Shinichi sighed. “Are you OK dad?” Sumire asked.

Shinichi smiled. “It’s fine. It’s not about you. I just got called here from work at a bad time.”

“What happened?” Akane asked.

“My boss is breathing down my neck about this reporter asking questions of my crew,” Shinichi explained. Sumire blushed and averted her gaze. “But there’s not really much I can do about it.”

Maruki looked at Shinichi, Akane, and Hiraguchi. “I feel like I owe you all an apology” he said. The three looked at him. “While Sumire may have defended my actions, I cannot. I rushed my judgment. And while it seemed to have worked out in the end, I seemed to have caused the lot of you unintentional harm. As a psychologist, I should work towards lessening one's burdens, not adding to them. I’m sorry.”

They looked at Maruki. Maruki was waiting with bated breath. Shinichi approached him and said “At least you learned your lesson” and nodded.

Maruki laughed nervously. “Thanks?” Shinichi, Akane, and Hiraguchi left. Maruki looked at Sumire. “Well, it’s getting a bit late. Do you still want to eat lunch with me, or would you prefer to wait and talk with me after school?”

Sumire thought about it. “I… think I’ll wait.”

“Well then, have a good rest of your lunch” Maruki said. Sumire nodded and headed off. Maruki went back to his office.

Sumire headed to the lunch room where she found Ren, Ann, and Ryuji sitting together. She joined them. They could all sense a bit of nervous tension around her. “Oh, hey Sumire…” Ryuji said.

“How are you?” Ann asked. Sumire pulled out her lunch and started eating. “Woah, that’s a lot.”

As Sumire continued chowing down, Ren grabbed her shoulder, which caught her attention. “Hey. Are you alright?” Ren asked.

Sumire swallowed her food. “Yeah…” Sumire said. “It’s just… something happened.”

“You can tell us,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, we’re all friends here,” Ann continued.

“Well… OK…” Sumire said. She explained what happened.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“That’s messed up,” Ann said.

“I mean, I don’t know,” Sumire said. “I still have a lot to figure out. There’s a lot of pressure that goes into being an honors student, and maybe not being one would make things easier.”

“Well, do you want to give up gymnastics?” Ren asked.

“Well, no…” Sumire said. “At least, not right now… It’s always been a part of who I am. A part of who WE are. Casting it aside feels like casting Kasumi aside.”

“I getcha,” Ryuji said. “That stuff can’t be easy to figure out.”

“We’re with you either way” Ann said.

“Whatever you want,” Ren began. She took Sumire by the hand. “We’ll support you. No matter what.”

Sumire started blushing, which in turn caused Ren to blush. When she saw Ren blush, Sumire smiled, nodded, and said “Right.”

“Yoshizawa-san?” rang out principal Kobayakawa’s voice. The gang of four looked up to see the improbably large man. “What are you doing sitting here?”

Ren felt a little guilty about the question. “They’re my friends,” Sumire explained firmly. “I needed some cheering up after what we talked about, and they helped me put some things into perspective.”

Kobayakawa looked at the three of them. “Yoshizawa, I’m not sure you should be hanging out with these three.”

Ann and Ryuji were mad. Ren just felt more guilty. “They’re my friends,” Sumire reminded him. “And I can hang out with whoever I want. They’ll help me get back on track faster. That’s what you want, right?”

The three second years looked at her in disbelief. “Holy shit…” Ryuji said.

“Sumire…” Ann added.

Kobayakawa grew distressed. “You wanted to see me?” Makoto said from behind him.

Kobayakawa turned. “Ah, Niijima-san. Perfect timing.” Makoto was confused. Kobayakawa pulled her up. “Niijima here is the student council president.” Kobayakawa explained. “Maybe she could be your friend.”

Sumire looked at the odd display. “Maybe… But these three ARE my friends.”

Kobayakawa got frustrated. Makoto broke from his grip. “What are you doing?” she demanded.

“Er, well, I was just explaining to our honors student that these three… might not be the best companions,” Kobayakawa said.

Makoto raised an eyebrow. “You’re referring to their circumstances, correct?”

“See? Niijima-san is very adept” Kobayakawa explained.

“I’m not finished,” Makoto said. Kobayakawa was stunned. “As far as I know, everything about Takami was either a lie set up by Kamoshida, or forced on her by Kamoshida. Sakamoto has been on his best behavior ever since he had a chat with his homeroom teacher. And as to Amamiya, she hasn’t caused any problems since she’s gotten here, correct?”

“Well, uh, I guess that’s true” Kobayakawa mumbled.

“Then I don’t see the problem,” Makoto finished.

Kobayakawa and Makoto glared at each other. ‘Do you have any information?” Kobayakawa said, changing the subject.”

This took Makoto by surprise. “Well, no…”

“Very well then” Kobayakawa said. He walked off.

Makoto sighed, partially because of relief, partially because of her nerves. “Hey” Ren said. Makoto looked up. “Thanks.” Makoto smiled. She left shortly after.

“Wow. I didn’t think Niijima-san would do that” Ann said.

“Yeah, well, we’re learning that people aren’t always what they seem,” Ryuji pointed out.

“Excellent point Ryuji,” Ren said.

Sumire checked her phone. “Ah! Is that the time?” She began vigorously munching down. Ren giggled. Soon after, lunch was over and the group headed back to their classrooms.

During their afternoon classes, Ryuji texted the group.

Ryuji: So, when are we going after Madarame’s treasure?

Yusuke: I would like to know as well.

Yusuke: He’s been getting more temperamental by the day.

Jose: Is that why you’ve been refusing my offers to hang out?

Yusuke: Correct.

Yusuke: Madarame would get mad if I wasn’t back before sundown.

Yusuke: I’m sorry.

Jose: It’s OK.

Jose: I will keep track of the time if need be.

Yusuke: I don’t wish to arouse suspicion.

Jose: Very well.

Jose: We’ll have all the time in the world after Madarame confesses.

Yusuke: True.

Ren: Well… About that…

Ryuji: ??

Ren: Kosuke paid a visit to LeBlanc last night.

Ren: He told me he was going to paint a picture of me and give it to me by next week.

Ryuji: Huh.

Yusuke: Interesting.

Ren: I think this gives us some breathing room as well.

Sumire: So, do you want to do it the day after the trash clean up?

Ann: Oh yeah. I’d forgotten about that.

Ryuji: Makes sense. We could plan everything after we clean up.

Ren: Well then, it sounds like we have a plan.

Ren: Later.

Ren put her phone away.

Notes:

I was using the "Come at least once a week" thing as an excuse as to why Sumire has time for the Phantom Thieves, and I think it's working, but I did run into a few other thoughts, so that's why I wrote this chapter. Hopefully this will strike a better balance between the two. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 38: The Strength of Others

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school, Ren went looking for Sumire. Eventually she found her. “Sumire…”

“Oh. Senpai” Sumire said, surprised.

“Um, are you feeling alright?” Ren asked.

Sumire paused for a moment. “Well, I feel a little better, but I’m actually going to talk with Dr. Maruki this afternoon.”

“Oh. I see” Ren said, a bit disappointed.

Sumire smiled. “Don’t worry. You’re still my senpai. You’ll always be someone I can turn to.” Ren lit back up. “But…”

Ren smiled. “I get it. And really, it’s fine. I just knew you were having a hard time today, and I wanted to be sure you’re alright.”

Sumire giggled. “Thank you senpai.” She continued to walk to Dr. Maruki’s office.

Meanwhile, Ren got a text from Ann.

Ann: Hey, Shiho asked us to hang out, and she wants you to come over too.

Ann: Ryuji and I are already outside the school with her.

Ren: Alright. See you in a few.

Ren headed down to the entrance and met up with Ann, Ryuji, and Shiho. “Hey.”

“Hey” Ann said back.

“So, where are we goin’?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, it’s been a bit since we just hung out,” Shiho began, “so I just thought we could do whatever.”

“That sounds great!” Ann said.

“Totally!” Ryuji added.

“Oh. Um, do you want me here then?” Ren asked. They all looked at her. “It’s just… You’ve known each other for a while. I’d hate to intrude…”

Shiho grabbed Ren’s hand. “It’s OK. I asked you to come along.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “We’d still be fractured if it weren’t for you.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

“Oooo, we should head to the arcade,” Ann suggested. “It’s been a while since we went together.”

“Yeah,” Shiho said.

Ryuji paused for a moment. “What’s that look for?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Ryuji began. He sighed. “I have been recently.”

“Huh?” Shiho said.

“What for?” Ann asked.

“Well, it was when Ren asked us to look after Sumire,” Ryuji explained.

“Oh…” Ann said.

“Yoshizawa-chan?” Shiho asked.

Ren nodded. “She’s going through a lot right now.”

“Oh… Right…” Shiho said. She looked off.

“Shiho…” Ann said. “You can’t blame yourself for everything.”

“I know,” Shiho said. “It’s just… I was so caught up in fighting my own demons that I couldn’t see anyone else’s.”

“It was like that for me too,” Ann said. Shiho was surprised. “I was so preoccupied with what Kamoshida was doing to me that I didn’t give much of a thought to what he was doing to you. I thought I was helping, but I wasn’t. I’m sorry.”

Shiho stood still for a moment. “Heh heh” she giggled. “We can't keep doing this. We’re apologizing so much for what that monster did to us. At some point we need to learn to let it go.”

Ann chuckled back. “You’re right.” The two of them continued laughing.

Once they stopped, Shiho turned to Ren. “So, how do you know Yoshizawa?”

Ren was caught off guard. “Well, we ran into each other on the train. She was standing up to give an old lady her seat, but some business jerk sat in it instead. I offered to help, but she said it was fine. Once we reached our stop, we got out and started talking.”

“I see,” Shiho said. “Well then, what are we waiting for? Let’ head out!” The four of them nodded and they went to the arcade.

Once they got there, Ann gave a sly look to Ryuji. “You didn’t by chance play THAT game with Sumire-chan, have you?”

Ryuji smirked. “Are you kidding? I would never play THAT game without my trusted partner, right.”

“Of course” Ann said. “So let’s…”

“GO!” they both shouted. They rushed to a dancing game machine. They paid and started a dance off.

Ren was slightly confused. “Don’t worry,” Shiho said. “They do this every time they come here.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“I usually watch, since it can be entertaining,” Shiho continued. “But I was thinking, maybe the two of us could try something instead.”

Ren nodded. “Sounds like a plan.”

Shiho looked at a light gun game called Gun About. “This looks fun.” They approached it and began playing two player. While they weren’t fully adept at the game, they could play it well enough.

However, when things got really challenging in the game, Ren noticed Shiho seemed to change. Shiho would get REALLY into it and start yelling at the game intently. When they eventually lost, Shiho got scared for a second. She looked around only to find Ren looking at her. She calmed down. “...Sorry.”

Ren was concerned, but felt like not pushing it at the moment. She simply smiled and said “It’s fine.”

From across the arcade, they could hear Ann and Ryuji still competing with their dancing game. “Oh yeah! Take THAT!” Ryuji shouted.

“Oh no you don’t!” Ann countered.

“Wanna go watch them finish?” Shiho asked. Ren nodded. The two of them walked over. Ryuji and Ann were actually fairly skilled.

Eventually though, Ryuji just barely managed to beat out Ann. “Oh YEAH! Who’s the king?!”

“Ugh, no fair” Ann pouted. “You came here without me!”

“I did so all the time back when I was in track, and you never got mad at me then” Ryuji argued.

“WHAT?!” Ann shouted.

“Oh um, you didn’t know?” Ryuji stammered. Ann glared at him. “I never played the game without you before… Honest.”

Ann still glared at him. However, she just looked away and said “I’ll believe you. For now.”

“It’s always like this,” Shiho said. Ann and Ryuji looked up to see their friends.

“How do you manage?” Ren asked.

“Well, they’re my friends,” Shiho answered. The two of them giggled.

“Hey! Quit it” Ann asked, annoyed.

“Yeah, don’t make it sound like we’re a bunch of weirdos” Ryuji added.

“Relax,” Shiho said. “We’re here to have fun, aren’t we?” That softened Ann and Ryuji a little bit. “C’mon, let’s keep going.” They spent some more time playing different games at the arcade. Ren was a little concerned about Shiho, but she didn’t seem to react to anything else like she did with Gun About.

Eventually, they left and went somewhere to eat. “Man, it’s been a while since I’ve felt like this,” Ryuji said.

“I know what you mean,” Ann said. “Although next time I’ll win for sure.”

“Oh yeah?” Ryuji said. “I’d like to see that.”

They continued to argue with each other about the dancing game. Ren looked on for a bit until Shiho asked “You’re rooting for them too, aren’t you?”

“Huh?” Ren said, caught a little off guard. She looked at the squabbling pair again. “Yeah.” She turned back to Shiho. “How do you know they like each other?”

“Well, I’ve been their friend for a while now,” Shiho explained. “I can just sense these things.”

“Any tips I can pick up on?” Ren asked.

Shiho chuckled. “Well, let me ask you this: How long did it take for Ryuji to ask you out?”

“Almost immediately” Ren answered. “Well, technically, he was gearing up for it when I shot him down.”

“I see,” Shiho said. “When I first met Ryuji, it was kind of the same. One of our first interactions, he made a pass at me. I kindly rejected him, saying I wasn’t interested in anything like that.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Although, I didn’t hate him for it, and we still remained friends,” Shiho said. “He hasn’t tried since. However, he has yet to ask Ann out even once.”

“You’re kidding,” Ren said, surprised.

Shiho shook her head. “That’s Ryuji’s tell. Whenever he’s serious about something, he’ll try his best not to mess it up. You should have seen him in his track days. He might be lacking in the brains department, but he was really serious about perfecting everything about his track performance.

It’s the same with him asking people out. He usually expects failure, so he doesn’t give much thought whenever he asks someone out. However, he REALLY wants it to work out with Ann, so he hasn’t asked.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So what’s Ann’s tell?”

“Well, honestly, it’s kind of the same,” Shiho said. “Ann’s used to all sorts of attention from guys, so she never pays it much mind. However, she does care about what Ryuji thinks.”

“Oh, I’ve seen that,” Ren said. Shiho looked at her. “Something happened recently where it ended with Ann and Ryuji having a heat to heart.”

“I see,” Shiho said. She giggled. “Did Ryuji say something stupid again?”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Shiho smiled. “Poor Ryuji. Always so close, yet always no cigar.” The two of them laughed.

Ryuji and Ann stopped squabbling. “Hm?” Ryuji grunted.

“What are you two talking about?” Ann asked.

Shiho and Ren looked at each other, turned to them, and said “Nothing” before giggling some more. Ann and Ryuji were curious, but couldn’t think of anything to follow up on that.

After they finished eating, Ryuji and Ann headed home. Shiho was about to do the same when Ren grabbed hold of her. “Wait,” she said. Shiho looked at her. Ren let go. “Um, you don’t have to tell me, but what happened with the whole Gun About thing?”

Shiho looked distant for a second. “I suppose I should open up to you about myself a little more. It’s only fair, since I did it with Ryuji and Ann.” Shiho refocused herself. “I guess… I just got a little overwhelmed. And recently when I’ve felt overwhelmed, it was because of Kamoshida.”

“Oh” Ren said.

“It sucks,” Shiho said. “I vowed to bring back the volleyball team, but if I can’t get over Kamoshida, how can I bring everyone back?”

Ren was confused. “You haven’t started?”

Shiho shook her head. “I’ve been practicing on my own, but I don’t have the confidence. I want to bring the team together, but if I’m still afraid, I don’t know what will happen.”

Ren pondered this for a second. “Um, no offence, but I think you might have this backwards.”

“Huh?” Shiho said, surprised.

“It’s just, what you said got me thinking” Ren said. “Back at home, I was incredibly anti-social. But ever since I transferred here and met new people, I’ve gained a whole lot of confidence. I’ve been able to do things I hadn’t even thought possible back where I come from. So maybe you don’t need to get over Kamoshida to bring the team back; you need to bring the team back to get over Kamoshida.”

Shiho was stunned. “You’re right. Heh heh. I can’t believe I didn’t see it before. One of the reasons I love volleyball is because it’s a team effort in the first place. Everyone has their part to play. You can’t function alone.” Shiho smiled. “I’ve been so blinded by the darkness in that man’s heart that I had forgotten that.” She turned to Ren. “Thank you.”

“No problem,” Ren responded.

“So, if you don’t mind me asking, do you know what your tell is?” Shiho asked.

“Huh?” Ren asked.

“I think I figured it out, but I want to be sure,” Shiho continued. “So, what do you do when you like someone?”

“Oh, well…” Ren said. “Usually, I just… let them drift away…”

“Huh” Shiho said, not expecting that answer.

“It’s just, whenever I’ve liked someone in the past, it always ended up not working out” Ren explained. “So I’ve gotten in the habit of not trying…”

Shiho smiled. “Looks like it’s time for me to return the favor.” Ren looked at her. “We’re all still growing, so while you have come a long way since coming to Tokyo, I’m sure you can gain enough confidence that when you find someone you like you can ask them out.”

Ren smiled. “I hope so too.”

“Trust me,” Shiho said. “Everyone has a part to play. I’m sure someone will come along to play the part of your lover.”

Ren giggled. “You really have what it takes to lead a team.” Shiho blushed. Ren blushed soon after. “Thank you.”

Shiho smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 3

Ren and Shiho split off to head back to their homes.

Once Ren entered LeBlanc, Sojiro turned to her. “Heh. You look chipper today.”

Ren smiled. “I finally had a little time to relax this after noon with some friends.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Maybe I should-” Before he could finish his thought, he got a phone call. “Hello?...Oh, yes...I see...Very well...See you soon.” He hung up. “I have to close early tonight.”

Ren nodded. “Very well.”

Just as Sojiro was about to leave, Ren heard him mutter under his breath “I hope you’ll be ready soon. I’d like you to meet her.” She found it confusing, but didn’t think she could ask Sojiro about just what that meant. At least, not yet.

Almost immediately after Sojiro left, Ren got a phone call. “Hello?”

“Ah. I’m glad you picked up.”

Ren was confused. “Lavenza?”

“That is correct,” she confirmed. “I thought we could make good on our bargain.”

Ren tried figuring out what she meant. “Oh, you mean me taking you about town?”

“Indeed” Lavenza said. “I’ll be waiting.” Lavenza hung up. Ren felt like she had nothing better to do, so she left LeBlanc and headed out.

Once Ren made it to the Velvet Room door, she saw Lavenza standing outside. “Hey” she said.

“Hello” Lavenza responded.

“So, do you just want me to show you around town, or…?” Ren asked.

“Actually, I have a specific request,” Lavenza said. “I have heard tell of a place where the atmosphere makes you feel like you’re in outer space. Where the food is more massive than the cosmos themselves.”

Ren thought about that for a moment. She then realized what Lavenza meant. “Oh, are you thinking of the Big Bang Burger?”

“I believe that is what I’ve heard people call it, yes” Lavenza answered. “You seem to know about it, so could you take me there?”

Ren smiled. “Of course. Let’s go.”

Ren started to walk, but felt a tug on her skirt. She looked back to find Lavenza holding on. “Um, if it’s alright with you, could we please hold hands?” Ren smiled and reached her hand out. Lavenza grabbed hold, and the two of them walked over to Big Bang Burger.

Upon entry, they heard some clapping. Lavenza looked over to see some of the wait staff congratulating an exhausted-looking patron. “Trickster, what is going on there?”

Ren looked over. “Oh, they just completed the Big Bang challenge.”

“What is this ‘Big Bang Challenge’?” Lavenza asked.

“Well, they give you this enormous burger, and if you can finish it, you get rewarded” Ren answered.

“I see,” Lavenza said. When they approached the counter, Lavenza placed one of her hands up there as best she could. “Hello. I wish to partake in the Big Bang Challenge.”

“Huh?” The server said, confused. She looked down at Lavenza. She smiled nervously. “I’m sorry, but we have an age limit. I’m afraid you can’t take the Big Bang Challenge. But I can get you a kid’s meal, if you would like.”

“I see,” Lavnza said, slightly disappointed. She looked at Ren. “Would it be possible for you to try the Big Bang Challenge?”

Ren looked down at Lavenza. Lavenza’s big doe eyes made it hard for her to say no. “Sure, I guess.”

“Then it is settled,” Lavenza said. She turned back to the server. “She will take the challenge, and I will graciously accept your offer of this ‘kid’s meal’.”

“Awe, aren’t you just adorable” the server said. “Right this way then.” Ren and Lavenza got seated.

Lavenza got her meal, and shortly after Ren was presented with the Big Bang Challenge. “Woah!” Lavenza said. She looked hesitant. Ren looked over. “You… You don’t have to eat all of that… if you don’t want to…”

Ren saw that Lavenza was feeling slightly guilty for putting her up to this. She simply smiled and said. “It’ll be alright.”

“3...2...1...GO!” the server said. Ren began eating.

Lavenza looked on in amazement. “Woah! Can she really do it?” she wondered. Ren continued. “She's only doing this because I asked her to.” Ren kept going. Lavenza got determined. “YOU CAN DO IT! GO GO GO!” Ren gained a second wind and started eating faster.

Thanks to Lavenza’s encouragement, Ren managed to finish the challenge. “Oh my. We have another champion” the server said. “Congratulations!”

“Heh. Thanks” Ren said, a little out of it. “Can I get some water?”

“Of course.” The server went to fulfill Ren’s request.

“Hey,” Lavenza said. Ren managed to look at her. “Thanks.” Ren nodded.

“Here you go” the server said, giving Ren her water. “And here’s your prize.”  She handed Ren her prize.

While Ren was resting up, Lavenza finished eating her food. Once she was finished, Lavenza looked at Ren. “Are you… able to move?” Ren nodded. “Very well. I am ready to leave.” Ren paid for the food, and the two walked out. Once outside, Lavenza turned to Ren and asked. “How are you feeling?”

Ren looked at her. “Well, I’ve been better, but I also feel some sense of accomplishment. So, overall, I think I’m alright.”

“I see…” Lavenza said.

“Is there any reason you wanted to take the Big Bang Challenge?” Ren asked.

“Well, when you told me what it was, I thought it would be a good way to test my meddle,” Lavenza explained. Ren was surprised, but intrigued. “Ever since this whole thing began, I’ve been thinking. While it had not come to pass, there was a being with the ability to split me in two and overpower my Master. Such strength is unimaginable. As my Master’s assistant, I should be able to protect him, but…”

Ren smiled. “I get ya.”

“I asked Master if I could go out and learn about the world in order to get stronger, but even then I had to ask you to escort me as well…” Lavenza lamented.

Ren patted Lavenza’s head. “Wanna know something?” Lavenza nodded. “There’s a strength in that as well. Admitting something like that isn’t easy. It can be painful. But if you’re determined, you can utilize something you think is a weakness and turn it into strength. Of course, having people on your side is helpful too.”

“I see,” Lavenza said. “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Ren said.

Lavenza thought. “You know, I noticed that you began doing better at the challenge once I started cheering you on. Such is the strength of the Wild Card.” Ren was curious about where this was going. “Your bonds with people and Personas alike are your strength. Perhaps if I were to have been split, you could have made me whole again.”

Ren smiled. “I’d like to think so. Although, that isn’t just my strength.” Lavenza was curious. “I think everyone could tap into that kind of strength.”

Lavenza thought. “Indeed. The Fool, the card that represents you on this journey, is also a representation of humanity as well. Perhaps even I could learn from humanity’s strength. Of course, I will continue asking you to assist me.”

Ren smiled. “I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Strength Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 1

“Although, I guess I will have to wait a bit until I can take the Big Bang Challenge,” Lavenza said.

“Aw, it’ll be alright,” Ren said. “I mean, there are advantages to you being you now. I mean, you got that cool rocket ship toy, right?”

Lavenza took out the rocket ship toy and smiled. “I guess that’s true. This is indeed amusing.” She began playing with it.

Ren giggled. She reached out her hand. “Come on. Let’s get you home.” Lavenza nodded. She took Ren’s hand, and Ren guided her back to the Velvet Room. Afterwards, she returned to LeBlanc and fell asleep soon after, since she didn’t have the energy to do much else after the Big Bang Challenge.

Notes:

So, yeah, I decided that the outings would serve as Lavenza's Confidant, and not necessarily the fusion missions. I just think it makes more sense in a more narrative focused version of the P5/P5R story.

I am keeping track of everyone's rank as the story goes. It's weird trying to strike a balance where I don't want it to go too fast, but I want everyone to Max out. And as the story goes, and confidants are introduced later, they are going to need to get a little faster. This is definitely going to be one of my longest works, if not the longest. (Out of ones started already, this will be the longest. However, I have ideas bouncing around in my head that could be longer. Although I don't want to put too much on my plate, so I haven't started them.)

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 39: True Platonic Love

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day after school, Ren received a message from Jose.

Jose: Hey, do you think you can stop a Kosei today?

Jose: I have a favor I’d like to ask of you.

Ren: Sure. I’ll be on my way.

Jose: Thanks.

Ren left school to head to Kosei. She met up with Jose outside of the gate. “Hey there,” he said.

“What’s up?” Ren asked.

Jose turned towards two Kosei students. “See those two over there?” Ren looked over and nodded. “I overheard them saying that they were going to go out on a date.” Jose grew determined. “I wish to follow them.”

Ren was shocked. “Woah! Slow down Jose.”

“Huh? Is something the matter?” Jose asked.

“Well… Kind of” Ren said. “It’s kind of weird to just follow people, you know?”

Jose looked up at her. “But you said it yourself, we don’t just accept society’s rules as Phantom Thieves.”

“I..did say that, yes…” Ren said, exhausted already. “But that’s more to do with the expectations society puts on people. This is...more of a moral thing.”

“How so?” Jose said.

“Well, how do I put this?” Ren thought. “If we were to follow them, and get caught, that would make them feel uncomfortable. Like their privacy was being violated.”

“Huh” Jose said. “Is that bad?”

“Well, yeah,” Ren explained. “Everyone should feel comfortable to do what they want in private, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone. If they’re going out on a date, we shouldn’t intrude.”

“Hmmmm” Jose pondered.

Ren smiled. “C’mon. Why don’t we go somewhere and talk more about this?”

Jose’s face lit up. “OK. Sounds like a plan.”

“Why don’t we go to that diner we went to the day after we met?” Ren asked.

“Great!” Jose said. They walked off and headed to the diner.

Once they got their orders, Jose began drinking his drink. Ren asked “So, why were you wanting to follow that couple on a date?”

Jose looked at her and stopped drinking. “Well, it’s just… In class today, our instructor asked us to put love into our arrangements. I tried, but I couldn’t get over that. I’m not sure what ‘love’ is, so how can I put it in?”

“How did it go?” Ren asked.

“Well, my teacher thought I did splendid,” Jose answered, “but I still don’t know what I did, or how I can improve it.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Then, I overheard that couple saying they were going out on a date, and I thought ‘maybe if I could observe them, I might figure out love’” Jose continued.

“Well, I can see your logic,” Ren began, “but there are more ways to learn about love. And most don’t involve stalking people. There are books, movies…”

“Yeah, but those are fictional” Jose lamented. “I want to try and get to know the REAL thing.”

“I see…” Ren said, thrown through a loop. She thought. “Hmmm. Well, even if they’re fictional, they still come from humans, correct?”

“Yeah,” Jose said, surprised.

“So, even if it’s not accurate, it’s still a nice glimpse into understanding love” Ren continued.

“I see,” Jose said, enamored.

“Plus, there are other forms of love,” Ren added. “Not just romantic love, but platonic, or familial love. As well as a love for what you do.”

“Hmmmmm” Jose went deep into thought. “This is complicated.”

“I’ll say,” Ren said. “I’m getting flustered trying to explain it.”

Jose looked around. “You know, when we first met here, there was a lot of stuff going on. Sumire and I had both awoken to our Personas, and you were explaining everything about what was happening. The day before… You helped me when those shadows attacked me. Is that a form of love?”

“Well… Kind of?” Ren said. “It’s an act of kindness, which does play into love. It’s hard. We didn’t really know you all too well then, but helping you out was the right thing to do, you know.”

“I see,” Jose said. “Did you do that expecting anything in return?” Ren shook her head. “So, even though you didn’t want anything in return, you helped a total stranger?” Ren nodded. Jose thought some more. “Isn’t that a kind of love?”

Ren was bemused. “How do you figure?”

“Well, one of my instructors had said that if a project is difficult, it's worth doing if you believe in it” Jose explained. “And that that belief stems from love, because you love doing it, but you also love your audience enough to share the thing you love with them.

So, if you felt like having to protect me, despite not knowing me, then you must love something about that. You could have run away and let me fend for myself, but you didn’t. You also did something similar with Sumire. She was ready to give up, but you fought for her. And I know you’ve known her longer than me, but I’d like to believe that if I were in that instance, you would have done the same.”

Ren was stunned. She hadn’t thought about why she did those sorts of things. It usually just came naturally to her. Even though time and time again, the favor wasn’t returned. She placed her head in her hands. “I dunno. I never really thought I had a reason. But I guess you saying it out loud has made me think. Hmmm I guess I really do love humanity Although for a while now, that love hasn’t been reciprocated.”

“What do you mean?” Jose asked.

“Well, people tend not to like me very much,” Ren explained.

Jose looked quizzical. “I don’t think I’ve seen a person dislike you though.”

Ren giggled. “Well, before I moved here, my life was a living nightmare. I was ostracized at school. Home wasn’t much better. My parents were gone a lot, and when they were there, they didn’t know how to handle me for various reasons. Mostly because of fights in school. Still, I don’t think they hate me.” Ren sighed. “It’s just hard.”

Jose reached across the table to grasp her hand. Ren looked up. Jose gently smiled. “I don’t know everything about your past, but right now, the person I see in front of me, is a kind, gentle soul. Someone who will help others no matter what. You’re considerate, understanding, and all around wonderful. You’re the kind of human I want to be like.”

Ren was in awe at Jose’s remarks. She was frozen for a few seconds. She then smiled as a tear rolled down her face. “Are you OK?” Jose asked.

“Yeah” she said, wiping her tears. She giggled. Jose was confused. “You know, for someone who says they don’t know anything about love, you sure know how to display it.” Jose seemed confused. “You saw I was feeling down, and you took steps to help me. If that’s not love, I don’t know what is.”

Jose was amazed. “I see…” He smiled. “It’s peculiar. I can’t entirely describe my feelings, but I can feel them.”

“You might be more human than you think,” Ren said.

“Maybe” Jose said. “But I wouldn’t have thought about that without talking to you.”

“Well, that’s a part of being human too,” Ren explained. “You can only get so far by yourself. Having someone else to help you makes things easier.”

“I see…” Jose said. “Being human has a lot of facets to it. But I feel like I understand them better.”

Aeon-Jose: Rank 2

They finish eating, pay their bill, and head out. As they headed out, Jose turned to notice something. “What is it?” Ren asked.

Jose kept looking. “That couple…” Ren looked at where Jose was looking. “I think they’re the same one I wanted to follow.”

Ren looked at them. They weren’t wearing the Kosei uniforms, and instead opted to wear clothing that concealed their identity. “Really? I guess they look kind of similar. You’d probably know better than me, because you go to Kosei.”

Jose thought about this. “I wonder why they’re dressed like that. I might want to look into that.”

“Well, if you’re gonna, play it safe” Ren reminded him. “We don’t want you in trouble now.”

“Right,” Jose said. After they left, they split off to their destinations for the evening.

The next day, Ann turned to Ren once class was over. “Hey, can we talk?”

“Of course” Ren answered.

Ann looked around. “Not here. Oooo, wanna go shopping?”

Ren smiled. “Sure. Sumire told me you’re fun to shop with.”

Ann giggled. “Well then, let’s go!” They decided to hit up some of Ann’s favorite places to shop.

Ren found a black dress and picked it up. “Hey Ann, don’t you think this would look cute on me?” Ann looked up. Once she saw the dress, she gained a thousand-yard stare. “Oh…” Ren said. “I guess I’m not as fashionable as I thought.”

“Huh?” Ann said, snapping back into reality. “No, the dress is cute, and it would look great on you… It’s just…” Ren was confused. Ann sighed. “Well, ugh, this is sort of what I wanted to talk about. See, when that dress was about to be premiered, our modeling agency was called. Several other models and I were asked to, well, model it. But when the dress premiered, I was the only model whose photos they didn’t use.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“To be honest, that happens a lot,” Ann said. “I mean, I guess my heart isn’t always in modeling, but it still hurts to get rejected like that, you know?” Ren set the dress down, and walked over to Ann to give her a hug. Ann hugged back. “Thanks.”

Once the hug was over, Ren asked “Um, pardon me for asking, but do you think they sensed that?”

“What do you mean?” Ann said.

“Well, you said that your heart wasn’t in it when it came to modeling” Ren explained. “Do you think maybe the people working with you could tell your heart wasn’t in it, and that’s why they didn’t use your takes?”

Ann was stunned. “Huh. I hadn’t thought of that. To be honest, modeling always seemed a bit fake. Fake people, doctored images. I felt like I never really fit it. It’s weird. I don’t fit into the modeling world because of my heart, and I don’t fit into school because of my looks.”

Ren frowned slightly. “I never really fit in at school much either.” Ann looked at her. “Even before people figured out I liked women, I was always getting into scuffles because someone was doing something to someone and I felt like I needed to put a stop to it. I’d win a lot of those fights, but that led to people saying I wasn’t very ‘lady-like’. And that kind of upset me because being a ‘lady’ is part of who I am as a person. And then everything turned up to eleven when people figured out I was a lesbian.”

Ann looked determined. She went up and gave Ren a hug. Ren hugged back. “Thanks,” she said.

“What are friends for?” Ann replied. They let go of each other. “You know, thinking about it now, we fit in with each other. I guess we really found a place to belong.”

Ren nodded. “I guess we just had to make it ourselves.”

“‘Make it ourselves’...” Ann repeated. “Hmmm.”

“What’s on your mind?” Ren asked.

“I just had a thought,” Ann explained. “Remember when I said I had to change how people see me?” Ren nodded. “Well, maybe that will work in modeling as well.”

Ren was shocked. “You want to continue modeling?”

“Well…” Ann said. “I’m not 100% sure. I still need to think about it. But even now, I’m getting more and more ideas. Like, you know how you see models all over the place, right? Well, what if I could be a model that could be real, instead of some of the fake models you see? I could be the light people can see.”

“That sounds great,” Ren said. “And it really suits you.” Ann looked at her a bit puzzled. “I mean, you don’t have to be a model if you don’t want to be. But you being a light for others feels right. After all, you’re the one that saved me from Kamoshida.”

Ann was surprised. She giggled. “We saved each other. And besides, you have your good points too. I don’t know if being a model is the right fit for either of us in this moment, but I do feel like being a light for others is certainly a strong point we both share.”

“These things do take time,” Ren reminded her.

“Yeah, but ever since meeting you, I feel like things have accelerated” Ann said.

“Right?” Ren said. “I feel it’s easier to figure things out when there’s someone in your corner.”

“Totally!” Ann said. Ann calmed down a bit. “Thank you. For everything.

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 4

“Well, shall we continue shopping?” Ann asked. “I feel more motivated than ever!”

“Of course!” Ren said.

They were about to continue on when Ann asked “You’re not gonna buy that dress?”

Ren shook her head. “I only buy clothes that respect my friends.”

Ann launched into a giggle fit. “You can be such a dork sometimes.” Ren joined in the giggling. They continued their shopping venture.

Ren found a hoodie. “What do you think of this?”

Ann looked at it. “Woah! I remember this shoot as well.” Ren was about to put it back. “No, wait! It was a good shoot. I still have some of the pics from it.” Ann showed her the pictures. “I was REALLY in it for this shoot.”

Ren could hardly contain her smile. The pictures Ann showed off were amazing. “Sumire’s right, you are really fun to shop with.” She ended up buying it right away and wore it for the rest of their shopping trip. Once it was over, they headed their separate ways.

Notes:

I'd like to explain my writing process to you a bit. In any given story, I have a lot of the major beats figured out, but some of the details really only come up when I get to the point it's necessary to figure them out with, which makes writing a bit more fun. As an example, these two Confidants. Jose I basically have to write from scratch, since he's now part of the real world. Although that's a bit easier than you might think, since it's a blank check essentially. Ann's confidant is one that exists in the game, but needs a dramatic overhaul, since a lot of that has to do with Shiho and her attempted suicide. Since that doesn't happen in this fic, things need to change. I feel like I'm doing good on that front, but I am always open to criticism. Either way, writing the specifics of these has been mostly fun thus far, and the times they aren't are meant to be like that. I mean, it does sound weird saying I had fun writing Ren recounting her troubled past (among other things), especially since that isn't true.

Something else I want to touch on quickly. Just a minor progress report. I think I have one more Confidant chapter after this, then things will start to go into motion in regards to Madarame's calling card. I keep worrying about the balance between days and times available and ranking everyone up. I know there's enough time, I'm just worried about the pacing a little bit, especially since I'm changing things around. Still, the response so far has been nothing but supportive, so that means I must be doing at least halfway decent, right? Thank you.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 40: Out of the Dark

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Friday after her shift at the convenience store, Ren got a call. She answered it. “Hello?”

“Hey kid” Iwai said on the other end. “I’ve got a special job for you tonight. Meet up at the shop, and do as I say, OK?”

Ren was puzzled. “No offence, but an older gentleman calling a young girl, such as myself, and asking her to do as he says isn’t a good thing usually.”

Iwai sighed. Ren giggled. “You know I hate dealing with cops as is. This kind of thing would only attract more unwanted attention.”

“I know I know,” Ren said. “I just like yanking chains.”

“Would that be why you got arrested?” Iwai said, turning it on her.

“Nah” Ren answered. “I only pull chains when I know I can get away with it.”

“Figures” Iwai said. “Just meet up at the shop.”

“I’ll be there in a few,” Ren confirmed. “Later!” She hung up and headed towards Untouchable.

“Good. You’re here” Iwai said. “So you do wanna do as I say?”

Ren smiled. She liked it when people were quick on the uptake. “Well, I could fight you, but I don’t think the police would be on my side.”

“Heh” Iwai laughed. “You could probably murder me and get away with it as far as the police are concerned.” Iwai stood up. “In all seriousness, let’s go.”

“Huh? Where are we going?” Ren asked.

“There’s this diner nearby,” Iwai explained. “I’m meeting someone there. I just need you to hang back and call me when I give the signal. I’ll even pay for your food… Provided you don’t order too much.”

“Question” Ren asked. “What’s ‘the signal’?”

“…That’s fair,” Iwai said. “I’ll just cough. Is that OK?” Ren nodded. “Good. Now let’s head out.” They headed towards the diner. “Alright, I’ll head in first, and then give it a few minutes before I head in. Sit somewhere close by. Oh yeah.” Iwai went through his pockets. “Here’s your spending money.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks.” Iwai nodded back. He walked into the restaurant. Ren let some time pass and followed him in. Ren spotted Iwai and sat at a booth close by. Once seated, she placed her order, and got out a book to make it look like she was studying.

A few minutes later, a man walked in and sat with Iwai. “Hey Mune. What’s the occasion?”

“It’s been a while,” Iwai answered.

“Feeling sentimental, eh?” the other guy asked.

“Well, I also heard some noise about Tsuda when some cops came by,” Iwai said. “I just wanna make sure everything is going OK.”

“Ah, good ol’ classic Mune” the guy sitting across from him said. “Always willing to uphold the oath.”

“...If there’s anything I can do…” Iwai pressed on.

“Heh. You know you’re always welcome to come back” the man said.

“...You know I gave up the life,” Iwai insisted.

“Right…” the other guy said. “Well, if we do need anything, we’ll let you know. After all, you’re our brother, right?”

“Of course,” Iwai said. He coughed. Ren, overhearing all of this, pulled out her phone and called Iwai.

“You feeling alright?” the other guy asked.

Iwai drank some water. “Just a little parched. His phone went off. “He checked it. “I gotta take this. It’s business.”

“I understand.”

“Hello?” Iwai said. “I see.” He placed his hand over the receiver. “Hey, I’m going to need to cut this short. Someone’s trying to mess with me.”

“If you give us a name, we can assist” the other guy said.

Iwai looked at him sternly. “I’m a skilled business professional. I can handle this.” He got back on the phone and started to leave. “OK now, where were we?” Once he was outside, he switched his tone. “OK, stay on the line, but don’t say anything to arouse suspicion. If he leaves, tell me.”

The other guy got out his phone and proceeded to make a call. “Hey Tsuda. It’s me, Masa...Yeah, that meeting Iwai wanted to take. Apparently the police are already looking at us...Right...Of course...No, that's fine...Yeah, it’s probably that deal from the beginning of the year...Huh?...No, you know Mune. He’s just saying this to honor the code. Although he is interested in helping out, provided he doesn’t do anything uncouth...Yeah...No, of course you can handle it…”

Ren got another drink. “Thank you,” she said. The man looked over to see she was also on her phone. Ren panicked slightly, and tried to cover her tracks. “Right, so, your day sounded lovely dear. As for me, I just got off work at the convenience store, and now I’m having dinner while studying...Yeah…”

The man, Masa, turned back to his conversation. “Nah, it was just some girl talking with her significant other...Yeah...Anyways, don’t worry about it...I’ll look into how much the police know, while you think of something for Mune...Yeah...Talk with you soon...Bye.” He hung up, finished his food, and left.

“He just left,” Ren told Iwai, over the phone.

“Alright. Good job” Iwai said. “I’m guessing he gave you a look.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“Still, that was some quick thinking,” Iwai said. “I guess it’s a good thing I hired you. If you had ran into Masa on your own, he might have tried to sweep you up into his deal. Although I’d like to think you’re smart enough to avoid that.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks.”

“I’m gonna look into what they’re doing,” Iwai said. He paused. “You know, it’s nice to have someone assisting me like this again. Ever since I’ve been on the straight and narrow, I haven’t had much in the way of assistance. I guess I thought I was used to it. But thank you. I couldn’t have done this alone. I think I’m starting to like you a little more. Enjoy your meal.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks boss.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 2

Ren hung up, finished her meal, and headed home.

On Sunday evening, Ren got a call from Yoshida. “Hello?”

“Hello?” Yoshida said from the other line. “Is this Amamiya-chan from the restaurant?”

Ren giggled. “Yes.”

“I see,” Yoshida said. He sighed. “I’m glad I got the right number. Hey listen, I’m working on a speech tonight, and I was wondering if you could come and assist me.”

“Sure thing” Ren answered.

“Great! I’ll be out by Central street” Yoshida answered. “See you soon.” He hung up.

Ren headed to Central Street to meet up with Yoshida. Once she got there, she tapped his shoulder. “Mr. Yoshida?”

“Ah, splendid!” Yoshida said. “Perfect timing. I still have a few minutes before I go on. So, why don’t we chat for a bit?”

“OK?” Ren said, cautiously optimistic.

“Good,” Yoshida said. He sighed. “While I appreciate the help, I do have to ask: Why are you helping me?” Ren was caught off guard. “It’s just, there are other politicians out there with a more solid foothold in the political world. I’d figure you’d rather place your bets on a winning horse over me.”

Ren looked the man over. He seemed sincere, but a little doubtful of himself. Yet he continued making speech after speech. Ren smiled. “I told you before, I like your message.” Yoshida was stunned. “You stand up for the people. You want to assure people that the government can help them, especially if they can’t help themselves. I can’t help but admire that. Besides, you can’t count out a Dark Horse candidate until the race is over, right?”

“BAHA!” Yoshida said. “You’re quite right. I suppose the impossible COULD happen. Hm. Thank you.” Ren was taken aback. “For assuring me about my message. I wasn’t sure people were listening. So it’s nice to see that people are. Even if they can’t vote yet.” Ren smiled and bowed politely. “And how serendipitous is this: Tonight’s speech is about a couple of Dark Horses in our world today. Are you ready?”

Ren nodded, but then paused. “Um, what exactly am I doing?”

“Oh, right,” Yoshida said. “Well, basically for now you’re going to hold up these cards that advertise what I am speaking about for the evening. I might ask you to assist me in other ways in the future.”

Ren nodded. “Got it.”

“OK!” Yoshida said. “I’m just about on. Grab that sign and let’s go!”

Ren nodded. She went over to grab the sign Yoshida asked her to. When she read it, she was jolted a bit. “Tonight’s Topic: The Rumored Phantom Thieves.” Well, at least we have some attention. She grabbed the sign and headed to position.

Once they were in place, Yoshida began speaking. “People of Tokyo!” A small crowd began to circle around him. Although Ren noted that they mostly seemed apathetic and just wanted a way to kill time. “Tonight I wish to talk to you about the Phantom Thieves! Those rumored vigilantes that have recently sprung up in the city.”

The crowd’s attention was piqued. “While their existence may be unknown, we have to ask: If they are real, why did they show up in the first place? Shujin Academy, the place they made their mark, was home to one of the most heinous scandals I’ve even seen. Students felt unsafe in the very place they should be welcomed.

Furthermore, the person making them feel unsafe was a highly respected member of society; which would make it difficult, if not impossible, to tell someone. They had no other option BUT these rumored Thieves. They uncovered a dark truth surrounding the school, and managed to put a stop to it, which is why people are taking note of them, and some are even showing their support.

However, as a politician, I know that for every one cruel deed you find, there are ten more still lurking in the shadows. The Phantom Thieves arrived because no one else was willing to help! But we can’t continue to rely on the Phantom Thieves forever! The government’s job should be to unearth these dark truths and stop them. Yet the powers that be are doing nothing.

That is my pledge to you! If you elect me, I promise to shed light on the darkness. And I will continue to fight for you all! Thank you.”

The crowd was murmuring. Ren noticed that they started to take interest. However, one man walked up and said “Psh. Chasing headlines to garner support? Don’t pretend like you’re nothing but the No-Good-Tora! I bet those thieves would come after you next!”

“WHA!” Yoshida said, in shock.

Ren was incensed. “HEY! That’s Mr. Yoshida to you!”

“Oh wow!” the man said. “You managed to convince someone to work for you. I wonder how you managed to swing that.”

Ren was seething. Yoshida took a deep breath and motioned Ren to stop. Ren was confused and looked at him. “It’s alright,” he said, nodding at her. He turned to the heckler. “My apologies. As you noted, she IS new. I’ll talk to her about all of this.”

“Hmph” the heckler said. “Whatever.” He walked off.

Yoshida sighed. He addressed the crowd. “Thank you everyone. And I’m sorry about the slight interruption. But please, do take my message to heart.” The crowd once again murmured, and then dispersed.

After they left, Ren and Yoshida met behind the wall. “Well, tonight could have gone a bit better…” Yoshida remarked. “...But it could have gone worse as well. Thank you.”

Ren as a tad confused. “That guy though…”

“Bahaha!” Yoshida laughed. “I’ve been a politician for quite some time now. I’m accustomed to the occasional heckler. But it’s important to remember to let cooler heads prevail.”

Ren sighed. “You’re right.”

Yoshida smiled. “Although I would have been lost had you not stood up for me in the first place.”

Ren was delightfully surprised. “Oh, thanks.”

“Truth is, I have a bit of a troubled past,” Yoshida explained. “And whenever someone brings that up, I feel weakened. But I’ve learned my lessons, and I’m trying to do what’s best for the country now. And that has to involve not letting naysayers get the better of you. Although, I have a bit of trouble in that area. Still, you being here tonight helped me focus quicker. Because I know someone was listening, and if I gave into my worst instincts, they might learn to do the same.”

Ren smiled. She then shifted around. “So, um, your speech… Do you support the Phantom Thieves?”

“Hmmmm” Yoshida pondered. “Well, as I said, I like what they did, but surely there has to be more we can do. The Phantom Thieves can only do so much for us. And their appearance in general is a bit worrying. If they’re our only hope, then the country is heading in a dark direction.”

“I see…” Ren said, taking note of this.

“What do you think of them, Amamiya-chan?” Yoshida asked.

Ren was a little caught off guard, but gave an answer. “Well, I can’t help but be biased,” she said. “I mean, I do attend Shujin, and I have been the target of that man’s actions, as well as several of my friends.”

“Oh my!” Yoshida said, shocked.

Ren smiled. “But it’s because of that that I believe you.” Yoshida was confused. “It’s hard to trust anyone after going through something like that. There are people with a vested self-interest that only look out for themselves, even if they tell you otherwise. But you’re different. When you say you wish to help people, I can tell you mean it. And I want to be there with you to make sure your message gets heard.”

Yoshida smiled. “I don’t know what to say. Thank you, Amamiya-chan. I’m looking forward to continuing working with you.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Sun Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 1

After that, Ren and Yoshida headed home for the evening.

Notes:

I honestly thought I'd have a bit more trouble linking the two confidants per chapter thematically, but it's been fairly smooth sailing so far. I guess that holds true for the fanfic as a whole. I started it because I wanted Sumire to join the team earlier. I asked myself some questions on how to do that, and here we are now. I know it's a bit early to get sentimental, but this recently became my most read project on this site. Thank you to everyone who has been reading and enjoying this. And please, keep enjoying it as well.

As for what's next, there might be a bit of a break as I work on a few other things, but the next chapter will be the clean-up, and the writing of the calling card. And after that is the heist itself. Stay tuned!

Chapter 41: Varying Kinds of Trash

Notes:

So, even though I said there would be a break, I figured it would be easier to do the calling card write up and the heist, and then break after that. It just makes more since to me. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter Text

Monday was the clean up day the school had organized. Instead of classes, students had to go to the park to clean it up. However, only half the day was mandatory. Monday was also the day the Phantom Thieves would meet up to plan the Madarame heist. Ren woke up, stretched a bit, and then proceeded to get ready for the day.

One her way to Shujin to pick up her gym clothes, she heard someone say “Hey beautiful” in a slimy voice. She looked and was horrified at the sight. One that was all too familiar. Sumire was being harassed by someone. “How are you?”

“I’m fine,” Sumire insisted.

“OK OK” the guy said. He looked her over. “So, you go to Shujin, huh? I’ve heard things are getting a bit rough there.” He took out his phone. “If you need anything, we can exchange numbers. You can give me a call, and I’ll be over in a jiff.”

“Please stop,” Sumire told him.

“Huh?” the guy said.

“Sumire…” Morgana lamented from the bag. He looked at Ren. “Huh?”

Ren was having a conniption. The girl she liked was in the midst of getting harassed. Yet she knew, she KNEW, that doing something was what got her in trouble last time. It could get her in trouble again, and it would jeopardize more than herself. It would jeopardize the Phantom Thieves, and by extension, the world.

However, Ren couldn’t let this go. Come Hell or high water, she knew she had to stop this. She dashed over. “She told you to stop,” she said, confronting the creep.

“Huh?” the man said.

“Senpai?” Sumire said.

The man looked over. “Is she your friend?” he asked. He grinned a slimy grin. “We can all be friends here. There’s no need to get jealous.”

“I’d prefer not to,” Ren said.

“What was that?” the guy jerked.

“She SAID she doesn’t want to!” Sumire interrupted with force, taking both the creep and Ren by surprise. “And I SUGGEST you respect her wishes.”

The perv got angry.”Maybe YOU ought to learn some manners.” He lifted his hand in an attempt to strike one of them. However, someone grabbed his hand before he could unleash his anger. The three of them looked over to see that it was Kosuke. Kosuke gave the man a look that could kill.

The attempted playboy was scared. He broke off from Kosuke’s grasp, put his hands in his pockets, and regained his composure. “Tch” he said in a huff. “Fine! Be like that. You’re not special anyway.” He walked off, frustrated.

The girls sighed in relief. “You alright?” Kosuke asked. The girls looked up at him. They nodded. “Good.” He rubbed the back of his head. “Sorry.” The girls were confused. “I’m sure you could have handled a creep like him on your own. I didn’t mean to underestimate you.”

Ren chuckled slightly. “It’s OK. When it comes to people like that, I’ll take all the help I can get.”

“Fair,” Kosuke chuckled back. He then realized. “Hey. You’re that girl from the coffee shop, right?” Ren nodded. “Thought so. Hey, just so you know, your portrait will be ready tonight. Will you be at the coffee shop then?”

Ren got slightly embarrassed. “I’ll be there, yeah.”

“Great,” Kosuke said. He began to walk off.

“Wait!” Ren called out. Kosuke turned back. “Uh, how much do I owe you?”

Kosuke grinned. “It’s alright. You can have it for free.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

Kosuke nodded. “Positive.”

“Well, if you say so…” Ren said, sounding unsure. She bowed. “Thank you.” Kosuke nodded and walked off.

Ren and Sumire began walking towards Shujin. “So, that’s Kosuke?” Sumire asked. Ren nodded. “Hmmmm. He seems nice, despite...you know…everything…”

“I bet he is usually nice,” Ren explained. “Remember, we had to fight Shiho before, and she’s practically the salt of the Earth.”

“...You’re right,” Sumire said. She sighed. “I guess I should have known that. I know what it’s like to change dramatically when faced with difficult situations…”

Ren looked over at her. “I get it,” she said. Sumire looked up. “It’s jarring because you’ve only seen his mean side. I’m sure if you knew him better, you might see that kind of interaction as the norm, rather than the exception.”

Sumire thought about that. “I guess that that’s how Yusuke-senpai sees him then. Usually, anyways...”

Ren was shocked. “Hm. I guess you’re right.” She smiled, gazing at Sumire as the two continued heading to the school. Upon arrival, they headed to the locker room to get changed. Once they got into their gym clothes, they headed out towards the park for cleaning.

“OK everyone!” Makoto called out on her megaphone. “Today, we are doing our part to clean up the park. You will be split into groups of four. Each group will be given a section to clean. A lunch will be provided. After lunch, you can decide to stay, or leave if you would prefer. Now, find your assignments, and get cleaning!”

The students checked the assignment list. To their surprise, Ren, Ann, Ryuji, and Sumire were in a group together. “For real?!” Ryuji wondered.

“That’s quite the coincidence” Ann remarked.

Makoto walked up to them and just said “You’re welcome” before leaving.

There was a slight pause. “I guess Niijima-senpai did that for us.” Sumire concluded.

“Huh” Ryuji said.

“Well, I guess we can’t let a good thing go to waste,” Ren said. “Let’s get cleaning and see how far in our planning we can get.” The others nodded.

“Wait, what’s Morgana going to do?” Ann asked.

They all looked at Ren. Morgana popped out of the bag. “I guess just keep me close.” The teens nodded and started cleaning.

“So, do we have any ideas for what the card should say?” Ryuji said. “Cause I’ve been thinking, and boy howdy, do I have some ideas.”

“I think we should let Yusuke handle writing it,” Ann said.

“Yeah, this is kind of personal to him,” Sumire added.

“Oh. Sure. That makes sense” Ryuji said. He sighed. “I guess it’s mostly his demons we’re tackling here.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “Believe me, I have some choice words for him as well. But I think it worked for Kamoshida because we all had a bone to pick with him on a personal level.”

“RIght…” Ryuji said.

Sumire was thinking. “How should we distribute it?”

Morgana popped out. “That’s a good question.”

“Hmmm” Ann thought. “If we send it to Madarame’s house, he’s sure to get it.”

“Yeah, but I doubt that Kosuke would see it” Ren reminded them. “We need something that gets his attention too.”

“What about the exhibit itself?” Sumire asked.

“Good thinking!” Ryuji said. “Kosuke’s guarding the place as it is.”

“Right, even if he’s not there, he’s in charge,” Ren said. “I’m sure they’d call him in for such an event.”

“Wait!” Ann said. “That place is guarded by cameras and stuff. If anyone gets caught, they’ll know for sure it’s us!”

“Well, almost anyone…” Morgana said. They all looked at him. “I mean, I look like a cat to most people. If they saw me, we’d be clear.”

After a slight pause, Sumire said “Right. And since your fur is black, and we’ll be doing this at night, you’ll be harder to spot.”

“How does that help?” Ryuji asked.

“It’s simple,” Ren said. “If Morgana’s hard to see, they can’t trace it back to me.” Sumire nodded.

“Oh. I see” Ryuji said.

“Wait!” Ren said. She sighed. “I can’t take Morgana tonight.”

“Why not?” Ann asked.

“Because Kosuke told me he’d be bringing my portrait in tonight” Ren explained.

“Wait, when did he tell you that?” Ryuji asked.

“This morning,” Sumire said. Ann and Ryuji got really confused. “The two of us ran into him.”

“I see,” Ryuji said.

“What’s he like?” Ann asked. “Out here I mean.”

Sumire smiled gently. “He’s actually really sweet and considerate.”

Ann was shocked. “Wow. I did not expect that.”

“Neither did I” Sumire explained. “But it makes sense when you think about it. In the end, he’s only after Madarame.”

“Right…” Ann said.

Morgana looked on uncomfortably. “Sumire…”

Sumire smiled. “It’s fine.”

“What is?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh, uh, it’s just the circumstances of him crossing paths with us weren’t ideal” Sumire told them.

“‘Weren’t ideal’ how?” Ann asked.

“Well…” Sumire began.

“Some creep was trying to get close with Sumire,” Ren said.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“I stepped into help, and then Kosuke came to help when he tried making a pass at both of us,” Ren continued.

“Well, he jumped in when he threatened to hit us when we didn’t comply” Sumire clarified.

“That’s… not better,” Ryuji said.

“Ugh!” Ann grunted. She sighed. “Well, I’m glad that things didn’t get worse.”

Sumire nodded. “Thanks.”

“So, where were we?” Ryuj asked. “I got so mad thinking about that guy I lost track.”

“Oh, right,” Sumire said. “We were talking about how to distribute the calling card.”

“Ohhhhh, riiiiiiiiight” Ryuji said. “Ren can’t do it because she’s meeting with Kosuke tonight. Yeah, I’m caught up now.”

“Well, I don’t think my parents would want me out so late,” Sumire said.

“Yeah, I don’t want to walk in and wake up my mom,” Ryuji added.

“I guess I’ll do it,” Ann said. “My parents just left for a business trip, so I’ll be fine.”

“When did they leave?” Ryuji asked.

“Just last night” Ann said. “And it’s only for about a week, but still.”

“Hey” Ryuji said, placing his hand on her shoulder. “If you need anything, you can always give me a call.”

Ann smiled. “Thanks.”

Ryuji let go. “So, is that everything?”

“I think so,” Ren said. “We’d need to meet up with Yusuke and Jose to finalize everything, but this is pretty much everything I could think of.”

“Well then, let's finish cleaning up,” Ann cheered. They continued to clean the area they were given.

“OK everyone!” Makoto called out. “It’s time for lunch. Please line up in an orderly fashion.”

As the students began to line up, the thieves managed to be first in line. Upon getting to their food, they were greeted with a surprise. “Dr. Maruki?” Sumire called out.

“Hi” he responded.

“What are you doing here?” Ann asked.

“I’m doing my part to help,” Maruki answered. “I, and some other students, spent all morning preparing lunch for you all.” Ren looked on and saw that most of the students helping Maruki were girls helplessly infatuated with him. Although to Ren’s surprise, she noticed one of the guys helping him was infatuated with him as well.

“You can cook?” Ryuji asked.

Maruki chortled. “It’s a skill you need to develop once you start living on your own. Although I’m not as good a cook as…” The thieves looked at him as he made no attempt to finish his sentence. “Well, anyway, enjoy your food.”

“Uhhh, not as good as who?” Ryuji asked.

“Don’t worry about it,” Maruki said. “For right now, just enjoy some food.”

“Uhhhhhhh, OK?” Ryuji said.

“Let’s not push it for now,” Ren whispered. She walked up to get some food. “Thank you, Dr. Maruki.”

“You’re quite welcome,” he replied.

The thieves took their lunch to a bench and began eating. “So, what do we do after lunch?” Ryuji asked.

“Well...” Ann pondered. “There’s not much we can do. We’d have to wait for Yusuke and Jose to be done with school before doing anything.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Ryuji said.

“We could stay here and clean,” Sumire said. “We’re allowed to do that after all. And… I dunno, I’ve been having fun.”

“Not a bad idea,” Morgana said.

“You’re just saying that because you don’t have to clean,” Ren noted.

“Hey! That’s not… entirely true” Morgana defended.

“So it’s partially true?” Ann questioned.

Morgana continued. “It’s a nice look. You were all called out by the principal, were you not? This might help improve your image.”

“I getcha,” Ren said. “Plus, it’s a nice deterrent. People might not think we're the menacing Phantom Thieves if we’re among the few who stick around on a cleaning day.”

“...I guess” Ryuji relented.

“Were you not having a good time, Ryuji-senpai?” Sumire asked.

“Not entirely…” Ryuji said. “But I guess hanging out with you all has been fun in its own way.”

“Well, it sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said. “Let’s finish lunch and continue cleaning.” The others cheered, and they continued eating.

After they were done, They messaged Yusuke and Jose about meeting up, then they spent the rest of what would be their school day cleaning up some more. However, since most of the other students and staff were gone, they were a bit more free to just have fun at times. Once they got a reply from Yusuke, the group headed out.

They met up at the access hall. “So, are we ready to make a move?” Yusuke asked.

“Almost” Ren said. “We need to go over a few things first.” Ren explained to Jose and Yusuke what she and the others had discussed.

“I see…” Yusuke said. “Well, as much as I would love to write such a calling card, Madarame would recognize my prose immediately.”

“Oh” Ren said.

“Hey, why don’t I write it, and you can punch it up a little?” Ryuji offered.

Yusuke smirked. “What a marvelous idea.”

“Um, where?” Jose asked. The thieves looked around.

“I guess this place isn’t really conducive for writing, huh” Ren lamented.

“Condu-whu?” Ryuji wondered.

“It’s not a good place to write,” Sumire said.

“Oh. Why didn’t you say so?” Ryuji asked.

“She did,” Morgana replied.

“May I suggest that beef bowl place you took me to Ryuji?” Yusuke asked. “I’ve been wanting to go again.”

“Do they allow cats?” Ann asked, looking at Morgana.

“I don’t think so,” Ryuji said.

Yusuke looked sad. “Perhaps another day.”

“The diner on Central Street it is then!” Jose said.

“Would it look suspicious if we kept going there though?” Ryuji asked.

“Not really,” Jose pointed out. “I’ve seen groups of people going there daily. It wouldn’t seem odd in the slightest.”

“It is kind of a popular place,” Ann added.

“And thei cuisine is excellent” Yusuke said.

Ren smiled. “I guess being a place that’s welcoming has it’s advantages. Let’s go.” The group proceeded to make way to the diner.

While Ryuji was drafting the calling card, Ann took out something from her bag. “Hey Yusuke.” Yusuke looked at her. Ann slipped him a piece of paper. “Could you perhaps redesign our logo?” Yusuke looked at the piece of paper. “I designed it when we sent our calling card to Kamoshida… but I think it needs a bit of touching up.”

Yusuke looked it over. “Just to confirm,” he began, “what is this a picture of?”

“It’s a thief peering through a top hat,” Ann explained.

Yusuke looked at the image again. “That’s what I thought.” Yusuke continued to look. “Ah! I think I have something!” He sketched something. He showed the rest of the group. “What do you think?”

They all looked at it. “I like it,” Jose said.

“Me too!” Ann exclaimed. “It had the spirit of the original, but there’s something fierce that wasn’t there before.”

“It looks really cool, Yusuke-senpai!” Sumire chimed in.

“You did a really good job,” Ren said.

“Thank you,” Yusuke said. “Although I would like to thank Ann for her guidance.”

“Aww, you’re too kind,” Ann said.

“You could say that again,” Ryuji said.

“What was that?!” Ann snarled.

“N-nothing!” Ryuji whimpered. “Good job Yusuke, good job.”

“That’s what I thought,” Ann said.

“You’re doing excellent as chief artist for the Phantom Thieves” Morgana said.

“Why does Yusuke get to be chief artist?” Jose asked. “I’m an artist too.”

“Well, uh…” Morgana panicked.

“You can both be chief artist” Ren offered.

“Huh. OK” Jose smiled.

“What a splendid solution,” Yusuke said.

“That worked?” Ryuji said. “Anyways, I think I have the calling card written out.” He handed it to Yusuke. “What do you think?”

“Hm” Yusuke said, observing it. “Question: How long have you and Ann known each other?”

“Since middle school” Ryuji answered.

“But we were pretty close,” Ann said. “Wait, why are you asking that?”

“I’m getting a similar feeling looking over both your logo and Ryuji’s calling card” Yusuke said.

“Oh. Well, I guess that makes sense” Ann said.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Yusuke said. He took some time, but he rewrote Ryuji’s calling card. “There. A nice combination of mine and Ryuji’s work.”

“Wait” Ryuji called out. “Should it go through a few more people to hide your voice?”

“I think this is fine enough,” Yusuke said.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ryuji asked.

“It means your style and his clash a lot” Ann giggled.

“Um, didn’t he say that Ryuji’s card reminded him of your drawing?” Jose asked.

“Yeah, and-” Ann answered. “Hey!”

“My apologies,” Yusuke said. “It’s just… very different from what I’m used to.”

“We do go to Kosei,” Jose said. “The people there are top notch artists.”

Ann kept her glare for a bit. She dropped it to say “Well, in that case, I’ll forgive you.”

“Yeah. What she said” Ryuji tagged on.

“Well, it seems like we’re pretty much set,” Ren said. “All that’s left to do is drop it off.”

“I’m ready!” Ann said.

“A whole evening with Lady Ann” Morgana said, grinning ear to ear.

“Before you go, I have a question,” Ren said. “Is it not possible for Jose to do it?” They all looked at her. “I just don’t want him feeling left out.”

Jose smiled. “It’s OK. I’m fine with being more of an observer for now. And I can’t go. The dorms have a fairly strict nighttime policy. You can go out, but you have to sign out and state your reason.

“Yeah, I guess I can see where that’d be a problem,” Ryuji said. “You can’t just say ‘delivering Phantom Thief calling card’, otherwise they’ll get you.”

They looked at Ryuji confused. “I was thinking more ‘this outing corresponds to witness accounts and security data’” Jose explained.

“Oh” Ryuji said, embarrassed. “That too, I suppose…”

“Ryuji…” Ann said, facepalming.

“Alright then” Ren said. “I’ll message you once the coast is clear Ann.” Ann nodded. “Are we all set then? Tomorrow’s our only shot at getting Madarame’s treasure. Failure is not an option.” They all nodded. “Let’s get a good night’s rest, and bring the storm tomorrow.”

They all began to leave. Morgana slid between Ren’s bag and Ann’s. Ann took the calling card with the new logo and headed off, while everyone else returned home.

While in LeBlanc, Ren was working on some schoolwork when she and Sojiro heard the door open. They looked up, and sure enough it was Kosuke carrying a canvas. “Hi,” he said. He set the canvas down in the booth across from Ren. “What do you think? I call it ‘Portrait of a Girl in Love’.”

Ren was absolutely stunned. “It’s...amazing,” she said.

“Heh heh” Kosuke giggled. “I’m glad you like it. It’s been a while since I got to paint something like that. It felt really good to do. Thank you for being such a wonderful subject.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you for painting such a beautiful painting.”

As Kosuke was about to leave, Sojiro called out. “Wait!” Kosuke stopped. Sojiro threw down a wad of cash on the counter. “Here.”

Kosuke walked over. “What’s this?”

“Heh. Don’t think I’m letting you leave without paying you for that painting” Sojiro told him.

“Oh, it’s fine,” Kosuke said.

“I insist,” Sojiro said.

Kosuke looked at Sojiro, and then the money. “Well, if you insist.” He took the money. “Thank you.” He left.

Sojiro looked at Ren and the painting. “It really is a nice painting.” Ren nodded. “Were you planning on paying him for it?”

Ren was taken back a little. “Well, I ran into him this morning and he said he would give it to me or free after I asked about it.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “What a wonderfully peculiar man.”

Ren smiled. “I agree.”

“Well, I’m gonna call it here,” Sojiro said. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight” Ren called out. Sojiro left. Ren messaged Ann. Ann and Morgana had just finished, and started to head over to LeBlanc. Ren changed into her pajamas and hung up her painting in her room while she was waiting.

She got the arrival message from Ann, and went down to meet her to pick up Morgana. “How’d it go?” Ren asked.

“It went purr-fectly” Morgana said.

“Ugh” Ann said. “I was nervous the entire time. But it went well, so that’s good.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks.”

“No problem!” Ann said. “I should be heading home now. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight” Ren said.

“Goodnight Lady Ann” Morgana called out. Ren carried Morgana up to her room and plopped the both of them on the bed. Ren got under the covers, while Morgana curled up, and the two fell asleep almost instantly.

Chapter 42: A Woman, A Child, A Sinner, A Monster

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The day after the park clean up, the thieves met up at Madarame’s exhibit after school to look out on the effects of the calling card they sent the previous evening. Madarame had shown up, but a guard was always with him. When he had some free time, he pulled the guard aside and asked “OK. What’s this about?”

“I’m sorry sir” he said. “I was told I had to wait until Captain Ogawa got here.”

“WHAT?!” Madarame screamed.

At that moment, Kosuke walked in and walked up to Madarame and the guard. “What’s going on?” he asked.

The guard was somewhat hesitant. “Well, uh, early this morning, we found these scattered throughout the exhibit.” He took out a copy of the calling card. “We think whoever did this might make a move against Madarame.”

“WHAT?!” Madarame said.

“Did you see who placed them?” Kosuke questioned.

“All the security footage we looked through only showed a black cat” the guard responded

“I see. Do you know who sent it?” Kosuke asked, matter of factly.

“Well, it’s addressed from those Phantom Thieves we’ve been hearing about in the news recently” the guard answered.

“Phantom Thieves, pah” Madarame dismissed. “Why would they go after me?”

Kosuke seethed a little, not enough for it to be noticeable unless you were really paying attention. “Well if you’d like,” the guard spoke, “you could read what the card says.”

“Let me see,” Madarame said, ripping the card from the guard’s hand. He began reading. “‘Sir Ichiryusai Madarame, the egregious sinner of vanity. You pretend to be a noble and kind light in the world of art, when in reality we know you’re anything but. You take students under your wing and abuse them without mercy and steal their art to claim as your own. Then you leave them destitute once you believe they no longer serve a purpose. You also use your immense influence to prevent people from speaking out about it. We are not alone in noticing this. Someone wishes to purge you from your perch and watch as you fall face down into the roaring flames of Hell itself. We cannot allow that to happen, nor can we allow you to continue on your path of destroying people’s hopes and dreams. To prevent both, we will steal your desires and make you confess your sins. From, The Phantom Thieves of Heart.’”

Madarame ripped the card in two. “What rubbish! Slander is what that is!”

“Uh sir?” the guard said.

“What?” Madarame said forcefully.

“Um, it’s just, people around the museum are already talking about it” the guard informed him.

“Well, none of this is true, right?” Madarame insisted.

“Right, uh, sir” the guard said, panicking.

Madarame sighed. “Now I have to figure out THIS PR disaster,” Madarame said.

“But what about the Phantom Thieves?” the guard asked.

“What about them?” Madarame chded. “You don’t believe they exist, do you?”

“Well, uh…” the guard began answering.

“This is just a fairy tale meant to try and scare me and stir up trouble” Madarame said.”Well it won’t work!”

The world flashed, and we see Madarame’s shadow clearly frustrated. “Heh. Those thieves think they can steal my treasure? My security is state of the art. And when it comes to art, no one is better than me.”

It flashes back to reality. Madarame walks off in a huff, pondering over what to do next. Meanwhile, Kosuke had been essentially frozen this entire time. “Uh, Captain Ogawa?” the guard asked.

Kosuke smiled. “Don’t worry,” he said, placing his hands on the guard’s shoulders. “We're the best, right? I’m sure whatever threat these thieves may or may not pull, we can take care of it with ease.”

The guard nodded. “Thank you sir.” He rushed off to prepare for what might come next.

Meanwhile, it flashed back to the darkness with Kosuke’s shadow, visibly upset, but grinning. “You think you can destroy my masterpiece like this? All you’ve done is given me a happy little accident to work with.” It flashes back to reality, and Kosuke walks off.

The thieves conversed among themselves. “Well, it looks like the message got through to them both,” Yusuke noted.

Jose nodded. “Yup. Now all we have to do is follow through with our plan.”

“Is everybody ready?” Morgana asked. They all nodded. “Good. I don’t need to remind you that this is our only chance. I believe we can do this!”

Ren nodded. “Let’s go!” she called. The thieves left the exhibit and went to Madarame’s palace.

At the entrance, Ann lamented “We’re not going to have a short route like last time, are we?”

Ren shook her head.”However, we know the ins and outs of this place. We should avoid detection fairly easily.”

“She’s right,” Morgana said. “We should conserve our energy until we make our play. Now let’s move!” The thieves began sneaking through the palace to get to Madarame’s treasure room. Once there, they all got into position.

Outside the control room, Ryuji was psyching himself up. “OK. You can do this.” He banged on the door. “HEY! There’s an intruder here!” He then bolted.

“What?” said the shadow. They opened the door to try and track Ryuji.

Ann crept out of her hiding space. “You can do it Skull.” She snuck into the control room and went straight for the light panel.

In the treasure exhibit hall, Madarame was standing there with a plethora of guards patrolling. One of them was shot. “WHAT?!” Madarame called out.

He and all the remaining guards look up to see Jose holding his sniper rifle. “Hi,” he said. He fired another shot, taking out another shadow.

Most of the guards tried to confront Jose. However, one took Madarame aside and said “You’re not safe, we must go!” Madarame nodded, and the two walked off. Jose made a break for it, dodging all of the shadows.

Once Morgana was in place, Yusuke gave the signal. Ann shut the lights off while Ren lowered the crane. Sumire kept watch to make sure no one came in that wasn’t supposed to. As Morgana started to head up, Jose used his grappling hook to latch on to lose the guards chasing him and meet up with the rest of the group.

When the lights came back on, the guards were confused. They decided to investigate the control room. Fortunately, Ann had already left, and was making her way to the crane control room. Ryuji lured the guard chasing him away and took care of them discreetly. After he finished subduing the guard, he made his way over there as well.

“Alright! Success!” Morgana cheered.

“Way to go, Mona-senpai!” Sumire compliments.

“Now all that’s left is to sneak out,” Ryuji said enthusiastically.

“Where are they?!” they heard a guard shout.

“Easier said than done,” Yusuke said.

“We did cause a lot of commotion” Ann noted.

“Spread out!” they heard another guard say. “They couldn’t have gotten far!”

Ren smirked. “I know that look,” Morgana said. “You have a dangerous plan, don’t you?”

“I would have said ‘bold’, but yeah” Ren answered. “Follow me.” She headed up to the rafters, with her crew following her. Ren looked down. “I knew it.”

“Knew what?” Ryuji asked.

“The guards aren’t here because they’re looking for us elsewhere” Ren surmised.

“...Yeah?” Ryuji continued.

“So, we can just jump down and rush through” Ren finished.

“OK, OK” Ryuji said. “Wait, WHAT?! For REAL?! No way, look how high we are!”

“As ludicrous as this sounds, I think that’s our only option” Yusuke pointed out.

“Follow my lead,” Ren said. She jumped, and as she was falling, she tethered herself to one of the rafters to swing gracefully down. She let go when she was close enough to the floor, and then proceeded to hit the ground running. One by one, her fellow thieves did the same.

They continued through the museum, hiding from guards and taking whatever shortcuts they could. When they got to the extremely damaged room just passed the broken Madarame statue Morgana tripped. “Woah!” The treasure slipped out of its covering, only to reveal a crude self portrait of Madarame. The thieves stopped.

Ren picked it up. “What the?”

“Hm” they heard Madarame grunt. “So you figured out my trick.” The thieves all looked at him. He was being escorted by two guards. “No matter. I’ll just eliminate you here!”

“You switched the paintings?!” Morgana yelped.

“I wasn’t going to let you steal my treasure so easily” Madarame chided. “If you had left with that I would have let you live. But now, you must perish!” The thieves began drawing their weapons. “But before that, I suppose you deserve a glimpse of the treasure you so foolishly tried to steal.” He takes out a canvas. “Behold, the REAL ‘Sayuri’!”

The thieves were stunned. The white cloud was no longer there. Instead, there was a portrait of a small child. “That…” Yusuke said. “That’s me…” The other thieves looked at him.

Madarame nodded. “Your mother was the true author of the ‘Sayuri’. It was a portrait of her with her child. Unfortunately, she died before she could make it public.”

The thieves were appalled. “You stole his mom’s art?!” Ryuji yelled.

“And I let her die too!” Madarame said. “She was so weak and sickly, no one would have given a second thought to her perishing. So I intentionally took my time calling the ambulance.”

“Why are you telling us this?” Sumire said.

“Because you’re going to die,” Madarame said. “There’s no point in lying to the dead.”

All the other thieves were furious. Yusuke smiled. “Heh” he chuckled. “I see now. You said that Madarame the artist was a facade. Yet I can see now that Madarame the human being is also nothing more than a facade to you.”

“Well put Yusuke,” Kosuke’s voice rang out. The thieves looked around. Kosuke jumped down to get behind Madarame. One his way down he splashed the two guards with ink. After he landed, he created two knives from his ink and threw them at the guards, destroying them.

Kosuke walked over to Madarame. “I used to think that my opinion of you couldn’t GET any lower. But you’ve proven me wrong, yet again. Taking your student’s artwork and claiming it as your own is despicable. But EDITING it? Taking out the most IMPORTANT PART? That’s just downright disgusting.” Madarame was sweating bullets. In a panic, he dropped his treasure. Kosuke cracked his neck. “And now, it’s time for you to DIE!”

Kosuke raised his fist, ready to take out Madarame. However Yusuke jumped in between and stopped him. “I WILL NOT LET YOU KILL HIM!”

Kosuke backed up. Morgana went in and grabbed the treasure, while Ryuji took the fake treasure, slammed it over Madarame, and proceeded to drag him away as well. Kosuke called out. “You've seen his treasure now! You know what he’s capable of! You know he’s beyond redemption! Why do you insist that he live after everything he’s done?!”

Yusuke smirked. “While it’s true Madarame may be irredeemable, that doesn’t mean I have to be. There’s no shame in doing the right thing. Madarame is truly the worst of humanity, and I aim to be the best. If that means not letting the very worst happen to him, then so be it.”

“Grrrrrr” Kosuke hissed. “Very well. If you wanna play hardball, LET’S PLAY!”

The museum around them started to bleed ink heavier. “It looks like Kosuke’s starting to take over more,” Morgana pointed out.

“I guess we’re fighting this guy now,” Ryuji said.

Ren smirked. “Just so you know Kosuke, we play to win!”

They began battling each other. Kosuke was fairly aggressive, but the thieves were doing a good chunk of damage. After a few rounds, the ink distortion started growing stronger. “What’s this?” Yusuke shrieked.

“What’s going on?” Sumire asked.

“Don’t worry!” Ren said, trying to calm down her teammates. “This happened with Kamoshida too! So long as we keep Madarame alive, everything will be fine!”

“Sensei?” Kosuke’s voice rang out.

“What?” Yusuke said

“This happens too,” Morgana informed. “This a memory Kosuke has.”

“What is it?” Madarame asked.

“Why are there countless copies of the ‘Sayuri’ in the back?” Kosuke asked.

“What were you doing back there?” Madarame returned, anger in his voice.

“I was trying to figure out how to get my name back on the piece of art I made!” Kosuke retorted.

“Heh. Did you forget? I made that” Madarame said.

“Bullshit!” Kosuke said. “I made it! You just stole it from me!”

“I made you the artist you are now” Madarame chided. “So anything you make is mine!”

“WHAT?!” Kosuke yelled.

“As for the ‘Sayuri’, it’s also mine so I can do with it as I please’ Madarame continued. “I can forge it and sell it to suckers who think it went missing.”

“You WHAT?!” Kosuke screamed.

“Now, do go back there EVER again!” Madarame insisted. “Or else I’ll have you arrested!” Kosuke could be heard fuming, and stomped off.

“So this is when he figured it out” Yusuke reflected.

“Tell me you wouldn’t react similarly” the Kosuke in front of them demanded. “When the image of Madarame as he presents himself breaks, you’ll see nothing but a horrid creature, meant for the flames.”

Yusuke sighed. “While it is disappointing to see what Madarame is really like, I cannot condone your behavior here either.”

“Very well,” Kosuke said. “Shall we continue then?”

They went back to fighting for a bit longer before another memory started playing. “YOU STOLE THE ‘SAYURI’?!” past Kosuke yelled.

“What are you talking about?” Madarame threw back.

“The ‘Sayuri’!” Kosuke said, forcefully. “You didn’t make it! You stole it!”

“What do you mean?” Madarame obfuscated.

“I went back into that room and found the real ‘Sayuri’” Kosuke said, seething. “After looking it over, the style, the paint lines, and the subject itself, it hit me. The ‘Sayuri’ has Hoshiko written all over it!”

“Hoshiko?” Ann asked.

“My mother” Yusuke informed her.

A smack could be heard. “I told you never to go back there again!” Madarame shouted. “And as for your insinuation, I’ve told you before: ‘I made her, therefore anything that’s her is mine’! But apparently you don’t listen. You should appreciate me. I took you in when you had nowhere else to go!”

“Did you kill her as well?” Kosuke asked, definitely. “Just to take it?”

“IT’S MINE!” Madarame insisted. “You need to listen! Especially to these next words! Leave here, and never return! And if I see even a glimpse of you trying to make it as an artist, I will have you behind bars so fast, the ink will not even have dried on your first stroke.”

There was a bit of silence. “FINE!” Kosuke screamed. “But someday, this will all come crashing down!”

“I have the art world eating out of the palm of my hand” Madarame said, rubbing salt in the wound. “Just how do you think that will happen?” The voices stopped. However, there were some angry footsteps, followed by a slamming door. “Bah. He won’t bother me again.”

There was more silence on the part of the thieves. “I remember that day,” Yusuke said. “I had only heard bits and pieces, but the anger was clear. The door came off the frame after he slammed it. Despite everything, I felt powerless.”

“I felt powerless too,” Kosuke said. “He beat us, stole from us, and yet WE were the ones who would get in trouble if anyone outside of Madarame’s shack heard anything. For too long, Madarame has avoided any consequences. But not anymore! It’s time for him to pay!”

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “Although I’d rather him pay society than the piper.”

“Heh. So quick witted” Kosuke said. “Let’s see how much longer you can last.” They continued their battle for a bit. After the thieves got a few good hits in, Kosuke chuckled. “Heh heh. You guys are powerful. Lucky for me, I have an ace up my sleeve. RAH!” He slapped his hands to the ground. Ink left them, creating little pools. Out of the pools of ink, copies of Kosuke appeared.

“WHAT?!” Ann shouted.

“Heh” Kosuke laughed. “Let’s see how you can handle an army of me!”

“What do we do?” Sumire asked.

The thieves looked them over. “They seem to be color-coded,” Jose noted. “Maybe that has something to do with it.”

“Good eye, Sunshine” Ren complimented. “I think they correlate to the elemental attacks we can do.”

“So we attack the one that matches?” Ryuji asked. “Seems simple enough.”

“Right,” Ren said. “This match is just about over!”

The bout continued for a little while longer. With some expert coordination, the thieves managed to deal with Kosuke’s clone easily, while also doing formidable damage to Kosuke himself.

After a decisive hit to Kosuke, he yelled. “GAHHHHHHHHHHH!” The ink started to melt off his head and hand, revealing his true appearance. He hell to his knees and started punching the ground beneath him. “GAHHHHHHHHHHH!”

The thieves were shocked. While they were expecting something, this was slightly different than what happened with Shiho. Yusuke walked over to him. “Kosuke.”

“Why?” He trembled. “Why am I never strong enough?”

“I beg your pardon?” Yusuke asked.

“My parents...you...everyone else I met under Madarame...I’m never strong enough to protect them,” Kosuke lamented. “Time and time again, I fail! I’m pathetic.”

The thieves remained silent for a moment. Sumire walked over. “You protected us yesterday,” she pointed out.

Kosuke looked up. “Heh. That is you, huh. Heh heh. I guess I am good for something sometimes.”

“I understand how you feel,” Yusuke said. “I’ve had trouble proving my own worth for quite some time as well. While I can’t relate to what you went through exactly, I can understand why you would want to do all of this.”

“You’re not mad at me?” Kosuke asked.

Yusuke shook his head. “I’m only mad at Madarame.”

“HA!” Kosuke laughed. He laid down on his back. “I guess I was being a bit selfish by only allowing me to get my revenge. That’s why you were always the best of us Yusuke. You always had eyes on the bigger picture.” He looked at Yusuke. “What you’re doing will make Madarame pay for his crimes?” Yusuke quietly nodded. “Good. Promise me this: Once all this is settled, I want you to be the best damn artist you can be.”

Yusuke kneeled down to meet him. “I promise.”

“Good. See you on the other side” Kosuke said, fading away.

Yusuke stood up. “Farewell.”

“Now, about Madarame,” Jose pointed out.

“I got it,” Ryuji said. He dragged Madarame out, still trapped within his fake painting. “Yo. We’ll be taking the real deal. You gonna confess, or do we have to mess you up too?”

“I’ll confess!” Madarame said, worried. “I never thought that darkness would return. But I don’t want to face it any more!”

“Darkness?” Sumire wondered.

“Yeah” Ann answered. “When someone takes over, the palace owner faces a darkness that apparently swallows them.”

“Wait a minute,” Ren said. “What do you mean ‘return’?”

“Huh?” Ann said.

“He said he never thought it would return'' Ren said. She grabbed Madarame “What does that mean?”

“I’ve faced it before,” Madarame said. “As an example of what happens when you cross them!”

The thieves were surprised. “Who is ‘them’?!” Ryuji demanded.

“I don’t know all of them,” Madarame said. “But they tell me they’re using this sort of power to help shape Japan. They said I could be among the elite if I helped them, so I did. They wanted to see how a mental shutdown works, and I volunteered.”

“You wanted to be even greater than you are now?” Yusuke said, raising his voice. “Pathetic.”

“I’m sorry,” Madarame said.

“Tell that to the public,” Yusuke told him. Madarame faced with a horrified look on his face.

There was an explosion. “What was that?” Sumire asked.

“The palace is about to collapse,” Morgana said. “Panther!” He threw the treasure to her. He transformed into a car. “Hop in!” The thieves entered the car and they drove off.

Once they got out, the phone sounded. “Location Deleted.”

“Man, that was something else,” Ryuji said.

“You’re telling me,” Sumire said. “I haven’t done one of these before.”

“I didn’t know the metaverse could break like that,” Jose said.

Ann was still breathing heavily. She looked at the canvas. “Huh?”

“What is it?” Yusuke asked.

Ann turned it around. It was still the real “Sayuri”, baby Yusuke and all. “I’m just surprised because last time Kamoshida’s treasure changed shape once we took it out of the metaverse.”

“Huh” Jose said.

“Well, I guess that shows how much influence the ‘Sayuri’ really has,” Yusuke noted.

“No kiddin’” Ryuji said.

“Are we good?” Ren asked.

“I think so,” Morgana said.

“Good,” Ren siad, sighed. “I’m exhausted.

“Wait, what about that thing Madarame told us about?” Ryuji asked.

“I’d like to know more about that too,” Yusuke added. “As well as a few other things.”

“Me too, but” Sumire began, “maybe that can wait for another time.”

“Yeah today was enough as is” Ann said. “We should probably meet up to discuss this when our heads are clearer.”

“Agreed” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m beat” Ryuji admitted. “Well, see ya.” He started walking off.

Just as the rest of the thieves were breaking off, Ann stopped Yusuke. “Yusuke.” She handed him the painting. “I think this should go to you.”

Yusuke was surprised. He smiled, said “Thank you,” and headed back home. Ann smiled and she headed home as well.

Notes:

The Museum of Vanity is closed. While there's still a bit of the Madarame arc left, I do want to thank you all for reading. Recently, this just got 5 digits in hit count. I'm amazed, and truly grateful. Thank you. And keep enjoying.

Chapter 43: A Night of Relfection

Chapter Text

Ren walked back into LeBlanc. “Ah, you’re back,” Sojiro said. “How are you feeling?”

“Fine,” Ren said, exhausted.

Sojiro at a glance could tell that wasn’t entirely true, but decided not to press it. “Well, I’m heading out for the evening. Don’t burn the store down.”

“That was an option?” Ren joked. Sojiro rolled his eyes and left. Ren made some dinner for herself. After dinner, she got a message in the group chat.

Yusuke: Madarame appears to be under the weather.

Yusuke: Apparently, he suddenly felt ill and needed to return home and rest for a while.

Ann: Huh. I guess Kamoshida needed time off too.

Ryuji: Although we never got to see it from his angle.

Jose: This might make for a good learning experience.

Yusuke: Hmmm. I’ll try, but he seems a bit unresponsive.

Yusuke: It’s a shame too. We might not get that information about the people Madarame’s shadow mentioned.

Morgana was looking on. “Hmmmm. Well, these things don’t happen right away. Maybe once he’s ready to confess, he’ll spill everything.

Ren: Morgana says this might take a bit.

Yusuke: Noted.

Yusuke: Although, there are two other things that concern me.

Ren: Go on.

Yusuke: First, Kousuke stopped by after I had gotten home.

Yusuke: He handed me the copy of the “Sayuri” that he stole, and said he would turn himself in.

Sumire: ...What did you do?

Yusuke: I petitioned him not to, and explained that Madarame told the police nothing was stolen.

Yusuke: But his mind seemed to be made up.

Sumire: ...I see.

Ann: Um, did Kousuke also seem ill to you?

Yusuke: Well, he did mention how he was throwing up basically all evening.

Yusuke: He said he would have gotten here sooner, had it not been for that.

Ann: I see.

Ryuji: Didn’t Shiho also throw up after we stole Kamoshida’s treasure?

Ann: Yeah. Twice in a row seems kind of suspicious.

Ren: I feel like that might be a side effect of Eris’s power specifically.

Ren: Unless Madarame has been throwing up.

Yusuke: From my understanding, he hasn’t.

Ann: I see…

Jose: What is it about Eris’s power where that happens?

“I dunno,” Morgana said, stumped.

Ren: No clue on our end either.

Ren: Although I might just ask Eris about it the next time she speaks with me.

Ryuji: Do you think she'll answer truthfully?

Ren: I don’t know why she would lie about this.

Ren: It’s not like we could do anything about it.

Ryuji: I guess…

Sumire: What was the other thing you wanted to mention Yusuke-senpai?

Yusuke: Well, it's just something Madarame’s shadow said.

Yusuke: He told us that he...let my mom die…

Ann: Yusuke…

Yusuke: But according to the Will Seeds, he appeared to call an ambulance right away.

Ryuji: Huh. I guess you’re right.

Jose: I wonder what that means.

Yusuke: What do you think this means Ren?

Ren: Hmmmmm

Ren: Well, we know that Madarame is a little far gone.

Ren: It could be him just misremembering facts.

Yusuke: I see…

Ren: Or it could be him leaning into his tyrannical side as well.

Yusuke: Huh?

Sumire: What do you mean, senpai?

Ren: Well, this is just a theory,

Ren: But it might be possible Madarame is just saying that to make you hate him more

Yusuke: I see…

Yusuk: This is complicated.

Ryuji: I’m surprised you picked up on that at all.

Ryuji: I was just willing to believe him when he said that.

Sumire: Wasn’t that the whole point of what Ren-senpai just said?

Ryuji: Uh, well, yeah, I guess.

Ann: ...Are you feeling alright Yusuke-kun?

Yusuke: I can see why you’d ask that, and to be honest, I’m not sure myself.

Yusuke: It’s a weird mixture of feelings to be certain, but I feel better having done it over not doing it.

Sumire: Great job Yusuke-senpai.

Sumire: Hopefully I can get there myself too.

Yusuke: I can assure you, you will.

Sumire: What makes you so certain?

Yusuke: Why, it’s the thing we have in common.

Sumire: ??

Yusuke: I had support from all of you,

Yusuk: Thus, you have support from all of us.

Sumire: ...Thank you, Yusuke-senpai!

Ren blushed. So cute!

Ren: Well, if that’s everything, I think it’s time to call it.

Ren: I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted.

Ryuji: Same.

Ann: Yeah.

Sumire: We did do quite a bit.

Jose: I think it’s probably for the best.

Jose: See ya once you get here, Yusuke!

Yusuk: Same to you, my friend.

Yusuke: Good night.

Ren closed the chat and went to her room. After getting changed, she flopped on the bed. Morgana joined her soon after. “Hmmmm.”

“What’s up?” Morgana asked.

“Well, I feel like I should have known you had a fake treasure,” Ren said.

“...Why’s that?” Morgana continued to inquire.

“Well,” Ren said, turning to scratch his chin, “you didn’t freak out like last time.”

Morgana paused. “I didn’t freak out when I got my hands on the real treasure either” he pointed out.

“Yeah that’s true” Ren said, agreeing with him and laying back down. “I just thought we had more pressing matters to deal with at that moment.”

“That’s not it,” Morgana said, authoritatively. “Or, at least, I don’t think so,” he said, losing steam.

Ren turned on her side again to face him. “Then what is it?”

“Well…” Morgana said, still somewhat unsure of himself. “Maybe I’m getting more accustomed to...life outside of the mission, you know?”

Ren turned fully on her stomach, and placed her hands on her head. “Explain.”

Morgana thought for a second. “Well, after dealing with Kamoshida, and generally spending time with you, I’ve been learning more and more, ya know?” Ren nodded. “So, I’m thinking I’m becoming a little less attracted to others’s desires since I’m finding desires of my own. But that’s only a theory, and the road to that is long.”

Ren giggled. “I think that’s a nice idea at the very least.” Morgana looked dejected a little. “Something the matter?”

“Well, it’s just, a lot of the desire are things that might seem unachievable. Like, with Lady Ann.”

Ren sat up. “That again?” She grabbed Morgana and started scratching his head. “I know how hard it can seem. The whole world seems like it’s against you, and finding happiness in impossibility is fruitless. But when it’s all you have, then cling onto it.”

Morgana, who was enjoying his scratches, looked up. “Ummm, are you alright?”

Ren stopped. “Well… I dunno. For a long time now, I never had any real friends. So, during that time, I’ve had to hold onto hope that maybe things will get better. As long as I lived true to myself, someone will like me for it.”

Morgana frowned. “Geez, when you put it like that, my worries seem trivial.”

“Well, you can still worry about them” Ren chimed in. “Just because someone has it worse, doesn’t mean that you can’t feel bad.”

“I guess that’s true,” Morgana said. He smiled. “Maybe I can use this opportunity to find something for myself.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

Morgana looked at Ren. “And until I do, I want you to be there every step of the way!”

“Of course,” Ren said. “What are friends for?”

Magician-Morgana: Rank 3

The two of them settled down, and went to bed.

Chapter 44: A Match Maid in Heaven

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day at school, Ren was walking around when she overheard Ryuji. “Yo! Mishima!” Ryuji walked up to Mishima as Mishima turned around. Ren snuck up to watch. “So, uh, listen….” Ryuji seemed a little hesitant. He grabbed a flyer out of his pocket. “I, uh, found this, and I wanted to give it a try, but like, you're the only person I can sort of trust with this, OK?”

Ren was confused. Morgana, who had popped out to see what was going on, was also confused. Neither were more confused than Mishima though. He grabbed the flyer. “‘Maid servi-’”

“Shhhhhh” Ryuji hushed. “Not so loud, OK?” Mishima indeed. “So, like, yeah. Maybe we could use their services, ya know?”

Mishima looked at the flyer again. “I dunno.” He paused. “Hold on. ‘Will do anything you ask’? I need to investigate if that’s true. I’m in.”

“Alright! Now that’s what I’m talking about” Ryuji said.

“Please” Mishima said, trying to uphold his pride, but fooling no one. “I’m doing this for justice.”

“Suuuuuuure” Ryuji taunted. “So, meet me at my place, tonight.”

“Um, I don’t know where you live,” Mishima responded.

“Oh, right, uh, just meet on Central Street then” Ryuji countered.

“Um, why are you asking me?” Mishima said. “I don’t think we know each other all too well…”

“Well, uhhhh” Ryuji stammered. The truth was rather complicated. Ryuji didn’t have the track team as friends anymore. And out of the men in the Phantom Thieves, one was a cat, one was a child, and one seemed disinterested in this sort of thing, and was still basically trapped with their abuser, even if they were slowly having their heart changed.

He did have a lady friend who might be interested in Ryuji’s endgame, but he wasn’t about to out his friend to some random maid. So, instead of explaining all of that, Ryuji answered “I think this would be a good chance to get to know each other. Since you know my secret and all.”

Mishima’s eyes lit up. “Oh! Is this a mission for… well, ya know…”

“I guess you could say that...” Ryuji said, rubbing his back. He was still sort of sore from stealing Madarame’s treasure yesterday, so at the very least he was hoping for a massage.

“ALRIGHT!” Mishima said. “Let's go! Tonight it is!”

“Uhh, yeah…” Ryuji said, surprised by Mishima’s mood swing. Mishima nodded and walked off. Ryuji walked off in a different direction.

“Well, that was something,” Ren said.

“Maybe we should tail them…” Morgana suggested. “Just in case.”

“Oh please, what could go wrong?” Ren said. Morgana gave her a look. “Yeah, you’re right, we should follow them.” She continued on her way

After one of her jobs, she headed down to Central Street to see if Ryuji and Mishima had the courage of their convictions. Sure enough, they did. “Alright” Mishima cheered. “For JUSTICE!”

“...You can drop the act…” Ryuji said, annoyed.

“What act? I’m here to prove the justice of this maid service” Mishima pushed back.

Ryuji decided not to fight it. Ren, from a distance, couldn’t help but snicker. “Anyways, follow me,” Ryuji said. He and Mishima started walking, with Ren following them while keeping her distance. They made it to an apartment building.

“So, what’s the game plan here?” Mishima asked.

“Well, my neighbor is out of town,” Ryuji began, “and they asked me to bring in their mail and feed their fish, so I was thinking we could use that place.”

“Oh, I get it,” Mishima said. “It’s to hide our identity.”

“Uh, yeah” Ryuji said. In reality, his mom was also home, and he didn’t wish to disturb her. Ryuji unlocked the door, and they went in.

Ren decided to stick outside, but with a view of the door. “I’ll give it about an hour, and if nothing happens, I think we’re good.”

“Sounds fair,” Morgana said. The two waited patiently.

About a half hour later, they heard a knock. They peered around the corner. The maid had showed up. “Hello?” they said. “You request me?”

Ren’s heart was racing. What was Ryuji and Mishima’s plan here? Were they actually going to go all the way with this maid? Ryuji…

Instead, the opposite happened. The maid stood outside the door for about five minutes with no answer. Ren was relieved, but the maid was annoyed. She sighed. “Figures. I knew it had to be a prank.”

The maid was leaving when a thought occurred to Ren. Wait, I know that annoyed tone anywhere. Against her better judgment, she called out “Ms. Kawakami?”

The maid turned around to see her student, the one with a record no less, as a maid. “What, no,” Kawakami said. “I’m, I’m Becky! Meow!” Both of them were embarrassed, and neither of them were buying it. Kawakami groaned. “Why me?”

“So, what’s all this?” Ren asked. Kawakami groaned some more. “Um, if that’s alright with you.”

Kawakami looked up. “First, I’d like to know why you’re calling a maid service.”

“Well, I didn’t…” Ren said, slightly nervously. Wow, she goes into teacher mode on a dime. “I overheard Ryuji and Mishima saying they were, and I decided to follow them to make sure nothing too off-kilter happened.”

Kawakami looked at her. “Yeah, that tracks,” she said. “So, I’m assuming they’re in there.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Kawakami sighed. “I guess you get something out of me then. I do this stuff part time, and no one, I repeat, NO ONE at school knows about this. So please. Not a word to anyone.” Ren nodded. “Good.” She sighed again, “Of course something like this would happen.” She walked out. Ren followed a minute or two after that.

Soon after Ren left, Ryuji and Mishima opened the door. “...Is the maid gone yet?” Ryuji asked.

They investigated. “All clear,” Mishima said.

Ryuji sighed. “Man, there were SO many things I didn’t think of…”

The next day, after school, Ren was wandering the halls. “I wonder why Ms. Kawakami does that sort of thing” Morgana wondered.

“Well, it’s not really our place to judge,” Ren answered.

“True,” Morgana said. “I guess people have their reasons.” They overheard something. “What’s that?” Morgana asked.

Ren shushed him with her finger and went to investigate. Another teacher was scolding Ms. Kawakami on her abilities as a teacher, and why she kept missing meetings and stuff. Ren, being Ren, had to jump in. “Um, Ms. Kawakami? I have a question about some of the assignments.”

The teachers looked at Ren. “‘Question’?”

“Uh, yeah” Kawakami said, not missing a beat. “Amamiya has been asking me questions practically every day non-stop. She did transfer here you know, so it’s a new experience for both of us. I never imagined having such an involved student, with such in-depth questions.”

“Huh,” the other teacher said. “You know, I take back what I said. You are a good teacher.” They walked off.

Kawakami sighed. “That was too close.” She looked at Ren. “You know, I gotta thank you. Usually, it takes a while before Ms. Chouno finishes chewing me out… Although I suppose you only came to my aid because of...well…” Ren couldn’t deny that wasn’t it. Although it probably wouldn’t seem odd without that context. “Ugh…”

Ren tried to comfort her. “It’s OK…”

Kawakami looked at her student. She sighed. “Listen, you seem like an OK kid. So, I’m willing to help you,” Ren looked up, “IF you help me.” Kawakami fished out a business card. “That’s my number for my…’associate’ Becky. If you utilize the services, then I’ll help you out by letting you slack off a little in class.” Ren was confused for a second, but nodded. “Oh, and don’t go using your cell phone to call. You’re still in high school. If you get caught repeatedly using these services, it will not look good.”

“I understand,” Ren said.

Kawakami looked at her. She wanted to believe her, but still had a few preconceived notions about her and her arrest record. “You better.” They nodded at each other, and headed off.

“Boy that was a lot,” Morgana said.

“You know, if she sees me talking to you, that might give her more cause for concern” Ren sniped.

“Well… I mean, at least she’s willing to trust you on this” Morgana added.

“True” Ren nodded. She hurried off to a part-time job, still a bit anxious about this whole thing.

Later that evening, she entered back into Leblanc. Sojiro had gone home already. Ren looked at the payphone that was there for whatever reason. “I guess this could work.” She took out the card, picked up the phone and dialed the number.

“Hello?” said the voice on the other side.

Probably some manager. “Um, I’m looking for Becky?”

“Hang on,” they said.

A moment later, Kawakami answered. “Hello~ This is Becky~ Meow~”

“Meow~” Ren answered.

Kawakami sighed. “I should have known it was you. ...But thanks. I’ll be right over! Well, as soon as I get some directions.” Ren gave her the address, and Kawakami came over.

Once Kawakami arrived, she looked around. “You live in a restaurant?”

“Well, I live upstairs,” Ren explained. “Although I’ve been told it’s not much better.”

“Well, no matter where you live, I can help~” Kawakami said. She sighed again. They headed upstairs. Kawakami took a look around. “Well, I’ll say it's better than I expected… but it could use some touching up. That’s why I’m here!” Kawakami cleaned up for a bit.

After some cleaning, Kawaki sat down. Ren sat next to her. “You wanna drink or something?”

Kawakami looked at her. “Water would be nice.”  Ren nodded. She went downstairs to get the both of them a glass of water. After a few sips, Kawaki said “AH! That hit the spot.”

Ren looked at her room. She smiled. “Thanks for cleaning up a bit.”

“Well, I’ve gotta admit, you keep this place looking alright, so I didn’t need to do much,” Kawakami said. She sighed.

Ren turned her full attention to her. “Are you OK?” she asked.

“Well…” Kawakami began. “It’s hard to say. It’s nice that I’m getting this gig, but it came about through, shall we say, less than ideal circumstances.” Ren rolled her eyes at that understatement. “However, it’s nice to have someone request me. Usually I’m sidelined due to my age. However, I still think I’ve got it! Do you?”

Ren looked her over. “Do you really think you should be asking a student that?”

“Yeah, that...yeah,” Kawakami floundered.

Ren changed the subject. “So, did Ryuji ask for you last night?”

Kawakami shook her head. “He just asked for ‘anyone’ and I fell under that.”

“I see…” Ren said. Kawakami sighed. “If there’s any other way I can help…”

“No, this is fine,” Kawakami said. “I just hate dragging my students into my messes.”

“Well, we had a deal, right?” Ren reminded her. “I’ll call upon your services, and you allow me time to slack off in class.”

Kawakami smiled. “Right.”

“But, why IS that my end of the bargain?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Kawakami said. “Due to your circumstances, and the whole Kamoshida thing, I figured you could just use some breathing room.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“If there’s anything else you want…” Kawakami bgan.

Ren smiled. “No, I’ll accept that.” Kawakami was relieved. “But I do have another question.” Kawakami was a bit worried. “Did you know? About Mr. Kamoshida?”

Kawakami averted her glance. “Well, sort of… Bits and pieces anyway When I went to the principal with what I knew, he said everything was under control.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“And, well,” Kawakami continued, shocking Ren, “if I’m being completely honest, part of me didn’t want to believe it.” Ren was shocked further. “Before all of that came out, he and I actually had a really good rapport. And, well, I sort of had a thing for him.”

“Oh” Ren said, trying to process what that was.

“Between that, and the principal saying it was alright, and other things on my plate, I kind of felt like it was fine,” Kawakami explained. “Ugh, I feel awful that I let that happen to my students. I must be the worst teacher ever.”

Ren placed her arm around her. “We both know that’s not true. The worst teacher ever got arrested last month.”

Kawakami cheered up a little. “I guess that’s true.” She sighed some more. “Ya know, before he confessed, he reminded me a lot of my high school boyfriend. That's part of the reason I liked him.”

Ren thought now would be a good time to lighten the mood a little. “But then he became very much unlike your high school boyfriend?”

“No,” Kawakami answered. “He became too much like him.”

“Oh” Ren said, horrified.

“God, why do all the men I like turn out to be so awful?” Kawakami lamented.

Ren wanted to cheer her up. “I’m sure you’ll find someone.”

Kawakami looked at her sternly. “Easy for you to say, I bet none of the boys you like are as bad as Kamoshida.”

“Well, technically you’re correct…” Ren said, nervously.

Kawakami sighed once more. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to take it out on you.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said.

Kawakami chuckled. “You know, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. I might enjoy it when you give me a call. Which, you will, right?”

“Of course,” Ren said. “I had fun too.”

“Hm,” Kawakami said. She stood up, gave a courtesy, and said “Thank you for using our services~ ...Sorry. They make us do that.”

Ren chuckled. “It’s fine.”

“Well then, until next time, thank you,” Kawakami said.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Temperance Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 1

Kawakami left, and Ren and Morgana soon went to bed.

Notes:

I think I sort of figured out why I update this fic more than others. It's accessible to me as a writer in a way that some of my other fics aren't. Not that I don't like any of them, I just think each requires a different approach. Maybe it's just for the less serious chapters. Maybe it's just that I have a terrible Persona addiction.

I have been play Scramble, BTW, and I'm back and forth on whether or not to include elements here, or make it its own thing after the main game fic is done, or just not do anything with it. I'm liking Scramble so far, but it's peculiar in some instances. I might have a better idea once I finish it.

Anyways, this chapter is fun. Since the introduction of Kawakami's confidant in the game is predicated on Ryuji asking you as a bro, I know I had to change it, and it was fun making these changes. I also liked breaking down Kawakami and Kamoshida's relationship a little more. It gives a bit more clarity on how Kawakami sort of let that slip by, while also showing her being remorseful about it. It's one of those things that implied in the game, where you do pick up on it, but it's subtle. Or it's a cultural context thing.

So, quickly, there are high-context cultures, and low-context cultures. Low-context cultures, such as the US, have a tendency to same more of what they mean. High-context cultures, like Japan, will say things, but you have to pick up on context clues to gather the full meaning. This is evident in business meetings between nations where Japanese businessmen won't say "no" but heavily imply it, whereas US businessmen will say "no". So some of that might be in play in certain aspects of the game. Or anything Japanese.

Man, I thought I forgot what I was going to say here, and I added stuff. Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 45: Old Wounds

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren was a little anxious waiting on the confession. Yusuke had been keeping them updated about Madarame’s condition, and it seemed good, but Madarame was old. She was worried that all of this might have put too much strain on him, and he couldn’t handle it. Then again, if he had the power to abuse his students, maybe he could make it though.

Still, he felt best to alleviate some of her worries by going to talk to Dr. Maruki about her concerns, both in and out of the metaverse. She shot him a message first, in case anyone else had plans to see him.

Ren: Hey doc, are you available?

Dr. Maruki: The coast is clear.

Ren: OMW then.

She headed over. Once she got there, she knocked on the door. “Come in,” Maruki instructed. Ren walked in. “Have a seat.” Ren did so. “What’s on your mind?”

Ren put her head in her hands. “Well, right now I’m just a bit worried.”

“How come?” Maruki asked.

“Well, it’s just our latest target…” Ren responded.

“Ah yes, I heard about that,” Maruki said. “Madarame, huh. I would never have guessed.”

“Well, it’s becoming more and more apparent to me that not everything is as it seems,” Ren said.

“True” Maruki retorted. “So, what’s the issue then?

“Well, I’m just worried that because of Madarame’s advanced age, the combined stress of almost having his palace taken over and his treasure stolen, it might just be too much for him,” Ren explained.

“I see,” Maruki said. “While it is true that your emotional standing can take a toll on one’s physical health, I don’t think there’s too much to worry about.” Ren looked up. “Remember, the shadows are incomplete, and that includes the shadows of those who have palaces. So, them losing their palace and treasure is more akin to them running out of steam. So long as someone is taking care of him, he should be fine.”

“Hm,” Ren said. “He should be fine then.”

“Well, that sure seems quick,” Maruki said. “Is there anything else you’d like to talk about? How are you outside of being a Phantom Thief?”

Ren seemed a little puzzled. “Fine enough, I guess.”

“Well, you certainly are a strong one,” Maruki remarked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ren asked, slightly indignant.

“Well, it’s just, not a lot of people would say they’re fine after getting falsely accused of assault,” Maruki noted.

Ren sort of pouted. “I guess that’s true.” There was a bit of silence. Ren sighed. “I’ve sort of noticed that Tokyo has changed me.”

“In what ways?” Maruki asked.

“Well, for starters, I have friends now, '' Ren said. She then realized what she had said. She panicked for a second, but decided to keep going. “Back home, I never really connected with anyone. Well, maybe when I was younger. But as things changed, no one really wanted to be friends with me.”

“I see,” Maruki observed. “Might I ask, how did you make your first friend in Tokyo?”

Ren looked at him. “Well, that, um…” She took a deep breath. “On my first day at school, I came across Ann at a crosswalk. Then Kamoshida pulled over and invited Ann in the car. He invited me as well, and we both agreed to it. I went solely to make sure Ann was alright.”

“Hm,” Maruki said, jotting things down. “So, you didn’t know her, but you wanted to keep her safe?”

Ren looked at him. “That’s right. And then when we got out, we just stuck together for the rest of the day. Well, except for when Ann had to use the bathroom. And just my luck, Kamoshida called me to his office then.”

“Oh my” Maruki said, surprised. “What happened then?”

“He tried to make a move on me,” Ren said. “But before anything could happen, Ann came in and took me out of there.”

“Hm. Well, that certainly was lucky, don’t you think?” Maruki asked.

“I guess so,” Ren said.

“Sorry, but that wasn’t entirely the answer I was expecting,” Maruki said. “She saved you because you were friends, correct?”

Ren was shocked. “I guess. But I don’t think Ann was just returning the favor. She felt really bad about not telling me about Kamoshida before that happened.”

“Hm. It seems like you have all the pieces, but you’re having trouble putting them into place” Maruki said.

Ren was confused. “I don’t suppose you have an answer then.”

“I may,” Maruki said. “But let’s see if you can’t find an answer first.” Ren thought for a moment. “If I may, let’s jog that thought process. What do you suppose would happen if you hadn’t met up with Ann but were still called to Kamoshida’s office?”

“I’m not sure,” Ren responded. “I’m not sure what would have happened between me and Kamoshida had Ann not interrupted.”

Maruki laughed. “Sorry, but you sort of touched on the answer.” Ren was perplexed. “You’re wondering what would have happened if Ann hadn’t shown up. But that’s not what I asked.” Ren was surprised. “All I asked was ‘What would happen if you hadn’t met Ann, but Kamoshida called out to you?’ Nowhere in that scenario does it state that Ann wouldn’t come.” Ren was shocked. “I think we’re sort of getting to the heart of the issue.”

“And that would be?” Ren inquired.

Maruki gave a serious look. “It’s hard for you to accept kindness at face value.” Ren was stunned. “This is just a hypothesis, but I’m guessing that due to that lack of connection you talked about in your hometown, you’re not used to receiving kindness from others. So when it does happen, you’re not 100% sure how to handle it.”

en thought about this for a moment. “I’ve been told...similar things...recently… You’re good.”

“I didn’t go to college for nothing,” Maruki said.

“What do you suggest I do?” Ren asked.

Maruki paused. “Well, like most things, this isn’t an overnight fix. But I think this is a case for Ockham's Razor. You have friends now. You should work on accepting their kindness when it is offered.”

Ren seemed a bit disappointed in herself. “I guess that makes sense.” She sighed deeply.

“I guess that’s a bit harder than I thought,” Maruki reacted.

“No, it’s just…” Ren said. “I get what you’re saying, and I think I’ve been getting better at that, but after spending so long putting up walls, it’s hard to know how to take them down without breaking.”

Maruki clearly saw Ren was troubled. The idea that people would be nice to her without reason is something that rarely crossed her mind, and in turn it made her keep people at arm’s length. In an instant, Maruki decided to do something a bit drastic.

“...as Rumi” he said, seemingly randomly. Ren looked up at him, confusion strewn about her face. “‘I’m not as good a cook as Rumi.’ That’s what I was saying at the clean up.”

Ren was curious about this sudden topic shift, but decided to roll with it. “And, who is Rumi?”

“My ex-girlfriend,” Maruki stated.

“Oh” Ren said, trying not to push it.

“Heh,” Maruki chuckled, catching Ren’s attention. “Our break-up was a little unusual.” Tears started to stream down his eyes. “You see, we were engaged to be wed. However, fate can be cruel sometimes. Her family home was robbed, and her parents were murdered. She went into a catatonic shock, and fell into a coma.

I visited her every day in the hospital. I was at a point where I’d give anything to see her smile again. Fate can be funny too. I had been researching cognitive psience a bit, and in the moment I wished for anything to get Rumi back, she woke up. However, she had no idea who I was.

I think whatever power I had was starting to manifest. After she had woken up, the doctors had examined her. Her memory was scuffed, but she was Rumi all the same. However, I decided that if I were to stay in Rumi’s life, it would only serve to hurt her. So, we split up.

After that, I grew even more involved in my research. I was more dedicated than ever to use cognitive psience for good. To make sure no one had to suffer like Rumi did. And when that was taken away from me, my palace appeared. But that didn’t last either.”

Ren was awestruck. Maruki had just said a lot, all the while his eyes were flowing like a river. “Why did you tell me all of that?”

“Well,” Maruki began, tears still erupting from his eyes, “I figured I needed to lead by example.” Ren was a tad puzzled. “You were worried about how to be more accepting of kindness and changing how you relate to people without breaking. The answer to that is break. Breaking is good. It shows that you’re responding to someone’s honest feelings with honesty of your own.”

“And that’s why you decided to spill your guts about what happened to you?” Ren asked.

Maruki nodded. He took his glasses off, dried his eyes, and put his glasses back on. “To be honest, I’ve never really gotten past what happened with Rumi. And I guess that led to the creation of my palace. But now, I have to face it head on if I wanna get anywhere else. And I suggest you do the same. You’re probably stronger than I am, which is why you seemed to hold out in your sense of justice this entire time. But if you wish to let Tokyo mold you into the best person you can be, then it’s important to show weakness when needed.”

Ren nodded. “Right.”

Councilor-Takato Maruki: Rank 2

She got up and bowed. “Thanks doctor.”

She was about to leave, but before she could, Dr. Maruki called out “Wait!” she stopped. “Before you go, would you care for a snack?” Ren smiled and picked something out of his bowl of treats.

As Ren was heading out, eating her snack, Morgana popped out “Um, don’t take this the wrong way, but it seems like you were already doing the stuff Dr. Maruki suggested. So why thank him?”

“Well, it’s complicated,” Ren said, between bites. “It’s like when you have a question in your mind, and it’s plaguing your every thought, but when you say it out loud the answer is crystal clear. I might have been growing, but now I have more of an awareness of it. Does that make sense?”

“I guess,” Morgana said, a little embarrassed. “It’s like when you picked up on my crush on Lady Ann when I told you I only have the mission to think about.”

“There you go,” Ren said. She continued eating and heading out.

Later that night, she arrived at Untouchable. “Hey,” Iwai said.

“How’s business?” Ren asked.

“Business is going fine,” Iwai said. “But I’m also working on something.”

“I hope it’s more customizable parts,” Ren said.

Iwai grinned. “Ha. But no. I’m looking into the information we acquired from the diner the other day.”

“Oh” Ren said, deadpan.

Iwai looked forlorn. He sighed. “I guess I gotta tell ya. Otherwise things won’t make sense. At least, if things play out as expected. That guy, Masa, and the guy he was talking to, Tsuda. Back in the day, the three of us were mafia brethren.” Ren was a little stunned. “Back then, I was just a dumb kid lookin’ for a place to belong. And I found it. At least for a while.”

“What happened that you gave it up?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Iwai began.

The door then opened up. They looked over to see a boy a bit younger than Ren. “Hey” he said.

Iwai was a bit shocked. “What’d I tell you about coming here unannounced?”

The boy was stunned. “...Sorry.”

Iwai sighed. “No. I’m the one who’s sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you like that.”

The boy looked at Ren. “Who’s she?”

“She’s just some hired help,” Iwai explained.

The boy was surprised. “You hired someone?”

“Yeah, well…” Iwai lamented.

“That’s great!” the boy said. Iwai was surprised. “You've been stressed out lately, so it’ll help to have someone lighten the load.”

wai was still shocked. “Heh. Careful now. With thinking like that, if you start a business of your own, you might run me out.”

The boy’s face was now flush. “Aw stop. You’re embarrassing me.” He turned to Ren. “I’m Kaoru. Kaoru Iwai.”

Ren was a little surprised. “My son,” Iwai said, hoping to clarify, but only serving to confuse Ren some more. “He’s a third year in middle school.”

Kaoru nodded. “And what’s your name?”

Ren was still trying to process everything. Still, she composed herself and introduced herself. “Ren. Ren Amamiya. Second-year high schooler, and part time worker at your father’s store.”

“Wow,” Kaoru said. He bowed. “Nice to meet you.”

“Likewise” Ren said.

“So, what are you doing here anyways?” Iwai asked.

“Oh, right,” Kaoru said. “I’m wondering if you’ll be home for dinner tonight. I headed out shopping and was wondering if I needed to get enough food for the both of us, or just me.” Ren took note of that particular line.

Iwai checked his phone. “You say you just left to go shopping?” Kaoru nodded. “Alright. Get enough for both of us. I’ve gotta finish a few things around the shop, and then I’ll join you, and we can go home together.”

“Oh. OK” Kaoru said. He started to leave. “It was nice meeting you, Ren. Ah. I should be calling you ‘Ren-snepai’.” Ren blushed just a little. “See you later!” He left.

Iwai looked a mixture of relieved, disappointed, and amused. “So, what happened to Kaoru’s mom?” Ren asked.

Iwai was now more surprised than that strange trio of emotions he felt a second ago. He sighed. “Well, for starters, Kaoru isn’t my biological child” he began explaining. Ren felt confused, concerned, and weirdly, relieved. “Do you want the lie or the truth?”

“Both, if possible” Ren said, defaulting on her natural playfulness.

“Hm. Figures” Iwai said. “I told Kaoru, and pretty much everyone who doesn’t know me, that Kaoru’s parents died in a car crash, and I took him in. I figured something must have happened to him. When I first came across him, I noticed he had this scar shaped like a gecko.”

“You mean, like yours?” Ren asked.

“Well, that came after,” Iwai said. “I got it to show solidarity with Kaoru. It’s like a family crest.”

“Softie” Ren teased.

Iwai smiled, unable to deny that. He grew serious again. “What really happened was that Kaoru’s birth mom came to some of us in the Yakuza asking to sell Kaoru for drug money. When we said no, she just left him there. I decided to take care of him then. And that meant going on the straight and narrow.”

Ren was surprised. “Damn and I thought you were a softie with the lie.”

“Heh” Iwai grunted. “I just figured that this kid needed a fighting chance.”

Ren rolled her eyes. “So, Kaoru doesn’t know you are ex-yakuza?” Iwai shook his head. “Why not tell him?”

“Because…” Iwai said. “I don’t want him being dragged down by me. I know my parents never gave enough of a shit about me, so I’m trying to give enough of a shit about him. If he finds out I was a mafia guy, he’ll know I’m a failure, and all of that will go down the drain.”

“I still think you should consider it,” Ren said. “If you’re so worried about him finding out via him walking in, it might be better to explain it on your own terms.”

Iwai thought about it. “Maybe. But he’s got a lot to focus on right now. I don’t wanna drag him down when he needs to focus on things like high school entrance exams.”

“I guess that’s fair” Ren said. “But maybe you should tell him before things get out of hand.”

Iwai sighed. “You’re probably right, but I have my own hang ups.”

“That’s fine,” Ren said. “I’m not hang up free either, so I get it.”

Iwai smiled. “And you call me a softie.”

“What can I say? Birds of a feather…” Ren noted. Iwai got a good chuckle out of that.

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 3.

“Anyways, you should get going,” Iwai said. “In case you forgot, I've gotta get home for dinner.”

“Right” Ren nodded. She gleefully left the store and went back to Leblanc.

Notes:

When it comes to the names of these chapters, I always feel like I'm going to run out of good names at some point, and the title of this chapter probably could be used elsewhere later, but it works now. At this point, people might say "future me is mad at me now" but if I know future me, he can make it work.

Anyways, the next chapter is the confession. Then we're going to get into the Kanashiro arc, which I am excited for. However, Kaneshiro might be the slowest arc to start up, so we're not going to get into all the interesting things for a bit. Before that though, we'll meet a certain detective. I am a little surprised though. No one seemed to comment on the change made to Akechi that already revealed itself. Maybe it'll be a bit more obvious when they go to the studio.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 46: Sunset, Sunrise

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On the final day of Madarame’s exhibition, a surprise press conference was called by Madarame himself. As it started, Madarame was crying his eyes out. “People of Japan! I have to apologize!” He cried out. “I am not worthy of your admiration. The artist Madarame is nothing more than a sham. Most of my masterpieces, including the Sayuri, are not my own. I robbed my students of their art, and claimed it as my own. To keep this all under wraps, I intimidated my students, and I sometimes even abused them.”

Everyone present at the press conference was shocked. Meanwhile, Madarame’s eyes continued to flow like faucets left on. He continued speaking. “In fact, the real author of the Sayuri died before they could claim it as their own. I took it in an act of desperation, and jump-started my meteoric rise to the top of the artwork on the backs of my students, who are more deserving than I am.” He continued to cry his eyes out. Members of the press tried to ask further questions, but Madarame had lost control of himself and continued bawling.

Meanwhile, several people were watching the press conference on the big TV in the Shibuya crossing. It cut to a reporter reporting from a desk. “This shocking confession comes soon after Madarame’s home was broken into. The burglar in question was a former student of Madarame’s. However, as part of this confession, Madarame has decided to drop all charges against said student.

Furthermore, a little while after the break in, Madarame’s exhibit was the target of this message; A letter supposedly sent by The Phantom Thieves. This is not the first time this sort of thing has happened. While there are many who still are skeptical of the existence of these thieves, some are beginning to think that such a group may be real.

Needless to say, Madarame has been put under arrest. Due to Madarame’s age, he is being taken to the hospital for a full assessment of health. Once complete, he will be tried and sentenced.”

Among those watching at the Shibuya crossing was a boy in a coat and shoulder-length brown hair. “Phantom Thieves.”

Makoto was also watching. “The Phantom Thieves. Again. Hm.”

Another person in the crowd was Nakanohara, the person who led the Phantom Thieves to Madarame in the first place. He let out a single tear, as he quietly said “Thank you, Phantom Thieves.”

Meanwhile, the thieves were at their hideout. “Alright! Another success!” Ryuji shouted.

“Ryuji!” Ann said. “Not so loud!”

“Sorry” Ryuji said. “But more people are talking about us, eh.”

Yusuke looked onward. “Are you doing OK Yusuke-senpai?” Sumire asked.

Yusuke snapped out of his stupor. “Huh? Oh. Yeah.”

Everyone looked at him. “What’s up?” Ryuji asked. “I thought you’d be more excited.”

“Well… How do I put this?” Yusuke asked. “I’m glad that Madarame is finally paying for his crimes...but…” He sighed. “Living with Madarame, and everything that came with it is everything I’ve ever known. It’s just weird is all. I feel like what’s in front of me is this blank empty space.”

“Oh, uh, sorry” Ryuji said.

Sumire placed a hand on his shoulder. “I get it. That kind of thing can be hard. But it can bring about new good things too.”

Yusuke smiled. “You’re correct. In a way, that blank empty space is much like a canvas just waiting for a masterpiece.”

“I hope there’s room for us in that masterpiece you call life” Ren remarked.

“Hm. Of course” Yusuke said. “I cannot thank you enough for everything you did. Therefore, I humbly request to be a permanent member of the Phantom Thieves.”

Everyone else was surprised. “You don’t have to request anything,” Ren answered, smiling.

“Yeah, as far as we’re concerned, you’re already one of us,” Morgana added.

“I thank you,” Yusuke replied.

“So, ummmm” Ann said. “Do you still want to paint me?”

“Hm?” Yusuke said. “Well, I wouldn’t say that’s out of the question, but I don’t think now’s the best time to do that.”

“Right,” Ann said. She smiled. “Well, if you need me, you just have to call.”

“Just make sure you don’t do too good a job,” Ryuji said. “Otherwise the professional photographers she deals with will have your head.”

“Ryuji!” Ann said, shoving him playfully. Ryuji laughed.

“My, what a marvelous couple” Yusuke said.

Ryuji and Ann looked at him and turned cherry red. “What are you talking about?” Ryuji said, nervously.

“Y-Yeah. We’re just friends” Ann insisted.

“Really?” Yusuke said. “Huh. I guess I’m seeing the world in new ways. I apologize.” Ren and Sumire shared a snicker. Meanwhile, Morgana was frazzled. Jose noticed this and started scratching his ears. As much as Morgana didn’t want to enjoy it at that moment, he couldn’t help but smile.

After Morgana was placated, Jose stopped, turned to Yusuke, and said “So, do you need help moving into the dorms?”

“Hmmm” Yusuke thought. “Well, there’s a swath of police over at Madarame’s as we speak, collecting evidence. I assume that whatever’s left will be ‘my’ stuff, and I don’t know how much that is for sure though.”

Well we can go over and check it out” Jose said, optimistically.

“I’d like that,” Yusuke said.

“Wait!” Sumire interrupted. “If the police are there, will they find the treasure?”

Everyone was alerted, as no one had thought of that. Well, aside from Yusuke. “While I don’t know what on the periphery is mine versus Madarame’s, I know for certain a few things are, and the real Sayuri is hidden among them. We should be fine.” Sumire sighed a sigh of relief.

“So, what’s gonna happen to Kosuke?” Ann asked. “The news said that Madarame had dropped all charges against him.”

Yusuke nodded. “He actually contacted me soon after that, but before we all met up here. He said he was going to move to Sendai to start over.”

“I’ve been there before for some gymnastics competitions, '' Sumire said. “It’s quite lovely.”

“But, uh, what’ll he be doin’?” Rji asked.

“Apparently, another one of Madarame’s former pupils lives there,” Yusuke said. “He’s going to move with him, and he’s talking about this with the boss of his security company for a possible transfer.”

“I see,” Ann said.

“So, what do you think about the Phantom Thieves’s popularity now that we took down another baddie?” Ryuji asked.

“Hmmm” Ren thought. “Well, I think we can get deeper into Mementos now,” she remarked. “But as for what people think, it’ll take time.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said.

“So, how does this work now?” Yusuke said. “Do you have another target in mind?”

“Not really,” Morgana said. “Finding people to change their hearts requires legwork. And there’s no guarantee that the person would have a palace.”

“Meaning he pushes that onto us” Ryuji snided.

“Hey I found one person,” Morgana said.

“By almost getting kidnapped!” Ryuji retorted.

“That’s not the point!” Morgana said.

“Morgana stays with me most of the time” Ren said, trying to cool tempers. “So while he could go off and find leads, he’s better off staying with me in case anything happens.”

“Yeah!” Morgana said, only mostly confident in himself.

“...I guess that’s fair,” Ryuji relented.

“We wouldn’t want anything to happen to you, senpai,” Sumire said, giggling. Yusuke noticed Sumire’s slight blush, but decided not to make another remark, on the chance that it would spark another awkward moment.

“So” Jose interjected, “while we’re waiting, do you want to head over to the shack to grab your things now?”

Yusuke nodded. “Unless we have other business to attend to.”

Ren shook her head. “I just wanted us to meet up to make sure the confession went smoothly.”

“I certainly think it did,” Yusuke said.

“Oh yeah” Ann said. “Did Madarame ever say anything about the people he’s worked with?” Ann said.

“Sadly no” Yusuke said. “He was more caught up in his own dealings, rather than this apparent group.”

“I see,” Ann said. Ann was shaking a little, hesitant to ask what else was on her mind. “Well, did he give a reason as to why he said he let your mom die when according to the Will Seeds he didn’t?”

Yusuke grew more serious. “No, but I’ve been thinking about that. I think it has something to do with Madarame’s vanity. He has to be the most of whatever he’s embodying. He’s either the best artist of the modern age, the most heinous man he can be, or, as evidenced by the confession, the most remorseful. Him saying he let my mom die is his way of aggrandizing his own villainy.”

“Woah,” Ryuji said. “That’s...a lot.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. There was an awkward silence. “Well, we should get going, I guess.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“Hey, maybe we can find out if the police know anything,” Jose said, shifting the conversation. “Either about Madarame’s contacts, or any possible future targets.”

“My, you’re quite the thinker,” Yusuke said. “Very well. Let’s head off. Until next time!”

“Later” Jose said. The two of them headed to Madarame’s shack. The rest headed home for the evening.

Once the police left, Yusuke and Jose messaged the group.

Yusuke: I’m afraid we’ve had no such luck.

Ryuji: Wha?

Jose: While we were with the police, we didn’t hear anything about Madarame’s contacts.

Yusuke: We did hear some mumblings about drugs getting passed around Shibuya, but that’s about it.

Jose: No name, no nothing.

Ann: Well, that kind of stinks.

Ryuji: Do you think the police might be involved with the people Madarame was talking about?

Ren: As someone who was wrongfully arrested, I wouldn’t put it past them.

Yusuke: Hmmm.

Yusuke: Well, I don’t know if it would have come up much anyway.

Yusuke: Nothing about Madarame's palace was about this cabal anyway.

Sumire: So, stealing his treasure wouldn’t reveal much about it?

Yusuke: Precisely.

“That’s not a bad call, actually,” Morgana said.

Yusuke: And if the police are in on it, that part might get swept under the rug.

Ryuji: So, we’re basically back to square one?

Ren: Not quite.

Ren: We’re still the Phantom Thieves. So long as we’re out and about, we have the power to undermine whoever is abusing the metaverse.

Ryuji: I see. So we’ll be a constant thorn in their side! I love it!

Ann: But maybe we should be careful.

Ann: I mean, if these people are causing the mental shutdowns, and possibly have the police in line, then we’re dealing with some really heavy hitters.

“That’s true…” Morgana said. “Lady Ann’s so smart.”

Ren: Morgana says you’re smart Ann.

“What?!” Morgana said, panicking.

Ann: Tell him thank you. Morgana started blushing and muttering unintelligibly.

Yusuke: While that may be true, there are a lot of people who still don’t believe in us yet.

Yusuke: I’m sure if we can play our cards right, we can use that to our advantage as well.

Ryuji: I hear that. We gotta make sure that they'll never see us comin’!

Ren: We can’t forget about Eris and her deal as well.

Ann: Right.

Jose: Isn’t Eris’s whole thing to build us up to either side with her or fight with her?

Ren: Well, yeah. But it’s still important to remember that.

Ren: Besides, Eris is the emissary of chaos. She won’t hesitate to disrupt anyone’s plans so long as it suits her needs.

Ann: Yeah.

Ann: So the best thing to do is keep a steady head.

Ren: Yeah.

Yusuke: Well, sorry we couldn’t find anything useful.

Ryuji: Nah, it’s fine. It was probably a long shot anyway.

Jose: We should head to Kosei and get you settled in.

Yusuke: You’re right.

Yusuke: Good night.

Ryuji: G’night.

Ann: Good night.

Sumire: Good night.

Ren: Good night.

Ren set her phone down and laid in her bed.

Meanwhile, at the prosecutor’s office, the woman who was intimidating Sojiro was working on a laptop. As she was, the young man in the coat came in. “Ah, Niijima-san,” he said. “Working late again, I see.”

Niijima looked up from her computer and glared at the boy. “Akechi-san. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“I was just hoping for some friendly chit-chat,” Akechi responded.

Niijima continued working away. “Those Phantom Thieves stuck again.”

“I saw that,” Akechi noted. “I believe your sister was in the crowd at the Shibuya Crossing when the confession was airing.” 

Niijima glared at him once again. “Do you WANT to irritate me?”

“Not at all,” Akechi said. “Like I said, I want this to be friendly.”

Niijima continued to glare for a bit, and then relented. “So, what did you wish to discuss?”

“Well, I’m assuming that you believe that these so-called ‘Phantom Thieves’ are the ones behind the mental shutdowns,” Akechi surmised.

“I do,” Niijima answered. “The M.O. matches up.”

“Well, about that,” Akechi said. Niijima was curious. “While it’s true that the Phantom Thieves cause a change in behavior, as do the mental shutdowns, the examples we have from the Phantom Thieves don’t match the examples we have from the mental shutdown cases. Besides, why start signing their work now?”

“Maybe they think they can get away with it,'' Niijima answered.

“Well, I guess that’s one way of thinking,” Akechi said.

“And you think that these two are unrelated?” Niijima asked.

“Well, not entirely,” Akechi said. “I believe the tactic used is similar, but I think they’re being used by two different groups.”

“Hm” Niijima grunted. “No matter. Even if your hypothesis is true, it’s still worth investigating them. If they know how to operate similarly, they might have an inkling who’s behind the shutdowns.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Akechi relented. “Still, you are awfully focused on this.”

“Your point being?” Niijima snapped back.

Akechi smiled. “With such a one-track mind, you might not be able to see what’s going on elsewhere.”

Niijima glared at him once more. “You’re one to talk.”

“Harsh. But true” Akechi said. “Maybe it’s time we find some life preservers before we both drown in our work and insecurities.”

“Maybe,” Niijima said. She went back to clacking away on her laptop.

“Well, good night Niijima-san,” Akechi said.

“Good night Akechi,” Niijima replied. Akechi started leaving. Before he fully left, he looked over Niijima once more. He was concerned, but couldn’t do much. He left.

The next day, after school, the announcements came on. Principal Kobayakawa began speaking. “Ahem. Attention students of Shujin Academy. Please meet in the gym for an assembly.”

“I wonder what this is about?” Morgana pondered. Ren shrugged and headed over with the rest of her class.

When everyone assembled, Kobayakawa took the stage once more. “As you may know, recently one of our faculty was caught up in a scandal.” There was some muttering about this, mostly about the disingenuousness of the principal. “However, the school wishes for you to continue learning, and to continue to have the best possible education. So, while we are looking for a permanent staff member, someone has agreed to be the interim gym teacher here at Shujin Academy.” There were some more murmurs. “Please welcome, Coach Chika Hiraguchi!”

Kobayakawa moved away as Coach Hiraguchi took the stage. Students were confused, but clapped anyway. “Thank you, Principal Kobayakawa,'' she said. She turned to address the students. “I know how difficult things have been here recently. That is why I don’t expect to have your trust right away. However, I do wish that for the time I am here I can prove worthy of your trust. I look forward to working with you, and making sure your school life is as good as it can possibly be.” She bowed. “Thank you.” The students clapped. From some of the mumblings Ren heard, they seemed to be impressed with her professionalism.

Kobayakawa took the stage again. “Yes. And thank you, Coach Hiraguchi.” He faced the students. “Please make sure to help Coach Hiraguchi feel welcome. You are dismissed.”

After the assembly, the Shujin-based Thieves met up. “So, your gymnastics coach is teachin’ here now?” Ryuji asked.

Sumire nodded. “Remember that day the principal called me to meet with him. It was decided then. As long as she’s here, I can continue as an honors student with all that brings.”

“You feeling alright?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Sumire answered. She sighed. “I don’t know. I mean, it’s nice, but… it just feels weird. It seems more and more apparent that the world is moving without Kasumi, and that…” Sumire didn't have to finish the sentence. Ren wrapped one arm around her shoulder and pulled her in, rubbing her arm in an effort to calm her down. “Thanks. … I think I’m going to go practice with Coach today.” Ren nodded and let go. Sumire headed off.

“I should go too,” Ann said. “Shiho and I made plans for some one-on-one time today.”

“Really?” Ryuji said. “Well, I can’t complain, I guess. Have fun.”

“Thanks,” Ann said. She left to meet up with Shiho.

“I should get going too,” Ryuji said. “I’ve got something I need to do. Oh, but maybe you should buy some gym clothes.” Ren was confused. “I found a good place for a workout, now that our secret area isn’t so secret anymore.”

Ren nodded. “I’ll be sure to do that.”

“OK. Thanks” Ryuji said. “Seeya!” He rushed off. Ren decided to take Ryuji up on his offer and shopped for some workout clothes. After which, she headed to one of her jobs.

As she was wandering about Tokyo, she began to notice some things. The people, the buildings, the sounds. Ren had just moved here about two months ago, but everything changed so suddenly. To her, Tokyo was starting to feel like home. Ren smiled at that notion and continued walking with a spring in her step.

Notes:

I didn't think I would give an introduction to Akechi here, but it felt right in the moment. I guess that could be said for a lot of this chapter. I decided to link the arrival of Hiraguchi to Shujin with the confession because it felt right to do. As doors close, windows open. Things change. Yeah, I'm spelling out the themes I was going for this chapter. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 47: See Through

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren was walking out when she overheard some commotion. “So, what’s she really like?” one student said. This caught Ren’s attention.

“Yeah,” another continued. “Does she have any weaknesses? Or anything like that?” Ren turned to face them. Two students had crowded Sumire.

“Ummmm” Sumire was a bit nervous.

“C’mon. You've known her practically your whole life” the first student said.

“Yeah. If we could just get some pointers for dealing with her, that'd be great,” the second student added.

Ren was about to interrupt, when Sumire blurted out “You want to ‘deal’ with her?” The two other students nodded nervously. “Then just work hard. She appreciates that.”

“What?” The first student said, in shock and hesitation about what was coming.

“You heard me,” Sumire said.

“There’s-there’s gotta be something else, right?” the second student asked.

Sumire shook her head. “Just work hard. Is that really too much effort?”

“Well…” the first student said.

Now Ren was more scared about what Sumire was gonna do to the other two. So she gently walked up and said “Hey Sumire.”

The two other students looked back at Ren, spooked by the sudden interruption. “Oh, hi senpai!” Sumire said, changing into a very cheery voice on a dime.

“Senpai?” The second student said.

“As in ours too?” the first one said.

They looked at Sumire, and then at Ren. They turned to Ren, bowed, and said “We’re sorry!” before dashing off before anything could be done.

“That...was odd,” Ren said.

“Yeah,” Sumire agreed.

“So, what were they talking about that got you so worked up?” Ren asked.

“Oh. They were asking about Coach Hiraguchi” Sumire said.

“I see,” Ren said. “I’ve gotta be honest, I’m a bit impressed.”

“Thank you,” Sumire said with a smile.

Ren continued. “But also a little disappointed.” Sumire was confused. “It’s great to see you standing firm, but you don’t seem to do that when you’re the topic of discussion.” Sumire averted her eyes. Ren lifted her head up to meet her eyes. “Sumire, you’re amazing. You gotta show that more.”

Sumire’s heart was now beating a mile a minute. She needed to do something to distract from that before it overwhelmed her. “Well... The same could be said about you” she retorted Ren was confused. “You have no trouble helping someone in need, but from what I’ve seen, you have a harder time allowing people to help you.” Sumire’s face was still red, but Ren thought this was about the intensity of her statement.

Ren wasn’t quite sure what was happening, but felt like she needed to say something. “You’re doing it again. You’re kicking up a storm about me, and not you.”

“So are you!” Sumire pointed out.

The two girls looked away from each other, embarrassed about what was happening. “This’ll just keep going forever if we let it,” Ren lamented.

“Yeah…” Sumire agreed.

They stood there for another moment. “Well, seeya, I guess…” Ren said.

Ren tried to leave, but Sumire grabbed her arm. “Wait!” she said. Ren turned back to her. “Um, if it’s OK with you, there is something I’d like your help with.”

Ren turned some more to face her, as Sumire let go. “Sure.”

“Thanks,” Sumire said. She blushed ever so slightly. “Well then, let’s go.” Sumire said, walking off. Ren was stunned, and decided to follow her. Ren wasn’t sure where they were going. She was a bit distracted by Sumire’s energy. When she finally thought about it, it was too late to say anything.

They arrived at a glasses store in Kichijoji. “You wanted to buy glasses?” Ren asked.

“Well, they aren’t for me…” Sumire said. She looked down at her feet. “I know you just got done dressing me down for putting other people before me, but this is something I actually want to do.”

Ren looked at her. “Sumire… I don’t want you to stop thinking of other people. You thinking about others, and the kindness you show is something I admire deeply about you. It’s just… I want you to think of what you want too.” Sumire looked at her intently. “Please don’t throw it back at me, I don’t want to get into that loop again.”

Sumire chuckled. She sighed. “Anyway, let’s head in.”

Ren nodded and the two girls walked in. “So, what are we here for?” Ren asked.

“Well, my dad needs a new pair of glasses,” Sumire explained. “And I felt like surprising him. Plus, um, that reporter we met apparently caused some trouble for him.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

“Well, I’m not sure really,” Sumire answered, “but apparently his boss wasn’t all too happy about it.”

“I see…” Ren said. She assumed a thinking position with her hand grabbing her chin.

“What’s on your mind?” Sumire said.

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “Why would a reporter asking questions about Madarame concern your dad’s boss? The two things seem unrelated.”

“Hm, that is a bit odd,” Sumire said, assuming a similar thinking position. “But I’m not really sure. It might be one of those things where we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.”

Ren was slightly surprised, but fell into agreement. “Right. Whatever the case, if...he’s?” Sumire nodded, “dirty dealing, then we’ll come across it. If he’s just interested in running a tight ship, well then I guess the onus is on him.” Sumire nodded again. “So, those glasses?”

“Ah, right,” Sumire said. “Let’s look through their stock and see what they have.” Ren nodded and they started to peruse the gallery.

“So, do you have any idea what kind of glasses your dad would like?” Ren asked.

“Well...he’s very practical,” Sumire said. “But he’s also kind. So, I’m thinking something that’s simple, but shows who he is.”

“Who he is, huh…” Ren said.

Sumire picked up on Ren’s anxiety. “What’s wrong?”

Ren was stunned, but not entirely surprised by the question. She took off her glasses. “Before coming here, before getting into high school even, I switched over from contacts to glasses. I did this because…”

Sumire was a bit concerned. “Because…?”

“I dunno,” Ren said. “I thought they would help somehow.”

Help how?” Sumire wondered.

Ren sighed. “I wasn’t the most...well liked kid where I grew up” Ren explained. “I thought this would help my image somehow. That somehow people would be nicer to me if I had glasses. In middle school, I got into a bunch of fights, and that messed with my contacts a fair bit. So maybe I thought people would be less willing to break my glasses… But while I got into less physical confrontations in high school, everyone started fighting with their words and indirect actions, rather than a punch to the face.”

Ren looked at her glasses. “In a way, these glasses were supposed to hide who I was. But in the end, they just showed that I was someone who didn’t belong there. I mean, I guess they’ve been working since I’ve been in Tokyo, but that could all change in an instant. I feel like I’m just waiting for the moment things all go to Hell in a handbasket.”

Ren felt a presence grab her. She looked down to see it was Sumire giving her a hug. She felt...a lot of things. She felt happy, sad, embarrassed, confused, pathetic, but most importantly, she felt cherished; something she had only recently started getting accustomed to. “Senpai…”

Ren wasn’t sure what to say, so she said “Sorry” and put her glasses back on. Sumire let go. “I didn’t mean to bog you down with all that.”

“No!” Sumire insisted. “Er, what I mean is, thanks for telling me that.” Ren was more confused. “It...probably wasn’t easy to say all of that. But thank you for telling me how you feel, and opening up to me on that.” She took off her glasses. “I guess in the spirit of that, I should do the same.

Both Kasumi and I...we both needed vision correction. While Kasumi went for contacts all the time, I decided that I’d only wear contacts when performing, and glasses all other times. I told my parents I wanted to be different from Kasumi, and while that was true, a part of me was telling me that these glasses were to make me look cuter than Kasumi.” Ren was shocked.

“I know that sounds mean, and it kind of is,” Sumire continued, “but… I was always jealous of Kasumi’s natural cuteness. Well, as well as other things. I sort of felt like this would give me an edge. It didn’t, but by the time I realized that, things solidified. Kasumi was the one without glasses, and I was the one with. And now, I feel constantly torn. If I keep wearing my glasses, they serve to remind me of this awful part of me, but if I don’t I feel like I’d be copying Kasumi again.”

Ren was taken aback by all of this. Still, despite that, she knew exactly what to do. She gave Sumire a hug like Sumire did to her just moments before. “Sumire… Thank you.” Sumire started letting out tears. Ren backed up to put her hands one Sumire’s shoulders. “Whatever your feeling, feel it. I can’t say I understand entirely your relationship with your sister, or everything that comes with that, but I think you’d look cute either way, so whatever you decide, I’ll stand by it.” Wait, did I just call her cute?

Ren-senpai just called me cute! “I...I think I will keep my glasses.” She smiled. “Kasumi was also interested in finding the differences between us, so I think even though this might have started from a tinge of jealousy, between that and you calling me cute,” Ren’s face turned slightly red, “I think I’ll keep them.” Ren smiled. “Well, now that that’s all settled, let’s start looking for glasses for my father.”

They started looking. “What do you think of these?” Ren asked.

“Hmm, well they look really cool, but…” Sumire said. “...these are for my dad, so…”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

Sumire picked up a pair. “What about these?”

Ren looked. “I’m not sure what kind of person your dad is, but those SCREAM ‘I’m from 20 years ago.”

“Yeah…” Sumire agreed. “I mean, I know my dad can be a bit stuck in his ways, but these are a bit too much.”

Ren saw something that interested her. She put them on. “Sumire, what do you think of these?”

Sumire looked. Ren was wearing a pair of gag glasses with swirly eyes, a big nose, and a mustache. She began laughing uncontrollably. “Why...why are these even here?” She asked between fits of laughter.

Ren started to laugh as well. “Probably for this reason.” She snickered some more. “C’mon, you try them on now.”

“Me?” Sumire said.

“Yeah, it’d be great!” Ren insisted.

“...Fine” Sumire relented. She put them on. “Well?” Ren tried holding it for a few seconds, but ended up in absolute stitches. Sumire was a tad annoyed at first, but then saw the humor of the situation and started giggling along. She took them off. “I guess these are pretty funny.”

After that, they decided to keep looking. However, nothing they found worked. “I’m starting to think we won’t find anything here that suits my dad” Sumire moped.

“Well, I mean, we did try,” Ren said. “Plus, I think we had a good time here anyways.”

Sumire smiled and blushed. “Yeah… Well, maybe we should get going.” As she started to head out, she noticed something. “Wait!” Ren stopped as well. She walked over and picked up a pair of red glasses. “Hmm. This is it! These are the glasses for my dad!”

Ren smiled. “Cool.”

Sumire was filled with confidence. She took them to the check-out. “I’d like to buy these please.” The cashier was a bit confused for a second. “They’re for my dad” she explained.

“Ah, I see,” the cashier said. She checked Sumire out and said “Have a good day you two.”

Once Sumire and Ren walked out, Ren said “Mission successful.”

“Yeah,” Sumire agreed. “And ever better, I did this myself. I made the decision, and I think it’ll pay off. Ah, what I mean is, I’ve been doing that thing you said where I wasn’t thinking about what I wanted. And a little while ago, if someone said ‘we should get him this pair’ I would have gone along with it. But now I made the final decision myself. And I’m proud of that.”

Ren looked at her, smiled, blushed, rubbed Sumire’s head, and said “Well done. You've come so far.”

“Right!” Sumire said. “And I’m not stopping now!”

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 4

Sumire turned to Ren. “Anyway, wanna get something to eat before we head off?” Ren nodded, and the two of them found someplace to eat. After that, Sumire headed home, while Ren did some part time labor.

The next day, Sumire was wandering through the halls of the school when she bumped into Coach Hiraguchi. “Ah, Sumire. Perfect timing.” Sumire looked at her. “There’s something I wanted to discuss with you. Can you meet with me after school?”

“Uh, sure,” Sumire said.

“Great, see you then,” Hiraguchi said. She walked off.

“I wonder what that’s about?” Sumire asked. She shrugged it off for now and continued on her way. Once school was over, Sumire headed straight for Hiraguchi’s office. “You wanted to see me?” she asked, walking in.

“Ah, yes,” Hiraguchi said. “Please, have a seat.” Sumire did. “Now, Sumire, I did say I wanted you in big competitions,” Sumire nodded, “but there is one coming up soon. If you’re not feeling up to it, I can get you out of this one, but only this one. I wanted to run this by you before doing anything.”

Sumire was shocked. Her coach had been nothing but supportive throughout this entire ordeal. Heck, she was even going through it with her to some extent. Sumire had always felt weak and insecure about herself and her performance, but she recently started to feel better about herself. Sumire smiled. “Thank you coach, but as much as I appreciate the offer, I want to participate.”

Hiarguchi smiled. “Very well. You know, I’m glad to see you coming in full force again. It almost feels like old times.” Sumire was surprised. “Anyways, thank you for coming to see me.”

Sumire had gotten up, bowed, and said “Thank you.” She left.

Hiraguchi watched her leave. “I know Kasumi would have loved to see this as well.”

Notes:

I didn't think I could turn the glasses store scene into something so emotional, but I did. I'm a little surprised by that myself. But I think it works really well. I did add in the scene with the gag glasses because I wanted a bit of levity to show that the relationship between these character isn't just built on being broken people who can be there for each other, but also that they enjoy each other's company and can laugh, and just have fun at times. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 48: Self-Worth

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

While Sumire was meeting with Coach Hiraguchi, Ren and Ann were approached by Mishima. “Yo. Excellent work.”

“Uhhhh, thanks…” Ann said, unsure of how to respond.

“I gotcha,” Mishima said. “So, what next?”

Ann was still a bit weirded out. “Um...the social studies field trip?”

“Oh right,” Mishima said. “I forgot about that. Where are you going?”

“We’re not quite sure” Ren answered, sparing Ann.

“OK, OK,” Mishima said. “Well, I have some ideas, and I’d like to run them by you.”

“We’ll talk tonight, OK?” Ren said.

“Sure. Sounds good to me” Mishima said. He walked off.

“Ugh” Ann sighed. “I mean, I admire Mishima’s enthusiasm, but we’re still in school you know?”

“Yeah. I’ll talk to him tonight about that too” Ren said.

“Talk to who about what?” Ryuji asked.

The two girls were surprised. “When did you get here?” Ann asked.

“Uh, just now?” Ryuji answered. Ann sighed.

“Mishima came up to us to congratulate us,” Ren explained.

“For what?” Ryuji asked. Ren gave him a look. “Ohhhh That. Yeah. So, what do you want to do next?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me” Ann let out, deflated.

“What?” Ryuji asked.

“They already went over that, moron” Morgana chimed in.

“Who you callin’ a moron?!” Ryuji demanded.

“Uh, you” Ren said. Ryuji was surprised. Ren whispered “Don’t draw attention to Morgana!” Ryuji seethed, knowing he couldn’t do anything.

“Do you what you wanna do for the social studies field trip?” Ann asked, hoping to break the tension.

“Huh? Not really” Ryuji replied. “Besides, don’t we have bigger things to focus on?”

“Please stop,” Ann said.

“These things have to come naturally” Morgan reminded. “In the meantime, you need to focus on blending in, and this field trip isn’t a bad idea for keeping up appearances.”

“Fine” Ryuji relented. “Hey, isn’t one of the options the TV studio?”

“Um, yeah” Ann answered.

“Perfect!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Why is that perfect?” Ren inquired.

“We could find a target there,” Ryuji explained. “I mean, celebrities hide some shady shit all the time. One of them might be palace related.”

“Ryuji!” Ann chastised. “Not so loud.”

“Right, sorry” Ryuji said.

“And I thought I was too focused,” Morgana remarked. Just as Ryuji was about to make an outburst, Ren glared at him, cooling him down. “But I have to admit, it’s a smart plan.” Ryuji smiled. “For a simpleton like Ryuji.” Ryuji glared at him.

“Morgana, please lay off. At least when Ryuji’s chained by crowds” Ren said, shifting her ire from one person trying to prove their masculinity to another.

“...Sorry” Morgana apologized.

“So, the TV studio then?” Ann said, again trying to cool things down. “Sounds like a plan.”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, confused. He then picked up on what Ann was doing. “Oh, yeah. Can’t wait!” He then turned to Ren. “Buuuuuut, while we are waiting, I found a place to work out. Care to join in?”

Ren smiled, knowing the awkwardness of this moment was over. “Sure. Let me get my gear and we can meet up, OK?”

“Sure thing!” Ryuji said. “Later!” He sprinted out.

Ann sighed. “Sometimes, I’m jealous of that boy and his boundless energy.”

“And other times, you want him to use that energy on you?” Ren insinuated.

Ann’s face turned pink instantly. “No! Shut up!” she smacked Ren with her pencil bag.

Ren chuckled. “Sorry. Sorry.” Ann pouted. “Hey, it’s OK. I promise I won’t say anything.”

Ann looked up at her. “You better not…”

“I promise,” Ren insisted. “Speaking of promises, I gotta go meet Ryuji. So, seeya.” Ren started to leave.

“Seeya!” Ann called out. Ren waved and headed out. She stopped at Leblanc to grab her new workout clothes, a grey tank top, black sweatpants, white shoes, and a black sports bra, and then met Ryuji on central street.

“Alright” he said, greeting her. “Follow me.” They walked to an ally where they found Protein Lovers. “This is the place.” He looked over at Ren. “You got everything?”

“Hm? I think so” Ren said. “Why?”

“Ah, n-nothing” Ryuji said, blushing. “Just wondering.” He took a deep breath. “OK, let’s head in.” They did as such. Before they could start, Ryuji turned and asked, “So, I assume you know what workouts to do to help keep your basketball form.”

Ren was confused. “Um, yeah, but why?”

“Well, when you go back to your old school once your probation is up, you need to keep your form good to rejoin the basketball team” Ryuji answered.

Ren looked at him. “I told you, they kicked me off the team.”

“Yeah, I know,” Ryuji replied. “But who knows? Maybe whatever they did that for will be water under the bridge when you get back. And hopefully by then, we’ll have proven your innocence.”

“Ummmm, I don’t think being a lesbian is something that could become ‘water under the bridge’ so easily” Ren explained. She smiled. “But I love your enthusiasm.”

Ryuji was shocked. “THAT’S why they kicked you off?!” Ren nodded. “Bastards!” His nostrils flared. “I feel like punching something now.”

“Well, there are punching bags, so go all out” Ren informed him.

Ryuji was a little confused. “Why aren’t you mad about this?”

“Eh, I’m used to it,” Ren said.

Ryuji gave her a confused look. He sighed. “I don’t know how people get used to being treated like shit.”

“Well, things are complicated sometimes,” Ren answered. “I mean, look at Yusuke.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Ryuji said. “But also I’m glad I’m part of the Phantom Thieves for it. That way, we can help people who are used to shitty situations.”

Ren tilted her head inquisitively. “Is something the matter?”

“Huh? Well, sort of?” Ryuji said. He sighed. “Before my dad left, my mom once told me that she was used to his beatings. That ain’t right, ya know? She said it was to protect me, but who’s going to protect her?” He kicked the air. “It’s just unfair.”

Ren steeled herself. “Yeah. It is.” Ryuji was shook. “And I hate it too. The world’s not always sunshine and roses. But sometimes all you can do is grin and bear it. Because if you push too much, sometimes the push back will be a lot more, even if justice is on your side.”

Ryuji spent some time taking that in. He grumbled. “Yeah… Like what happened when I punched Kamoshida…”

Ren smiled. “But I’m also glad you’re a part of the Phantom Thieves.” Ryuji was shocked. “You’re a good anchor to the ideal of not getting used to this kind of BS. That there might be something good about shaking things up.”

Ryuji was now taking that in. He grinned. “Thanks.” Ren started to go to one of the stations. “You know, you’re a good leader for us.” Ren looked at him. “You’re fairly level headed, but you’re open to all sorts of things. You know how to consider things and know when and how to react to them. I think that’s cool.”

“Thanks,” Ren said, blushing. “But that only sort of came about due to my...less than pleasant previous school life.”

“Heh. You think I’m a stranger to less than pleasantness?” Ryuji chortled. “I might as well be wearing ‘less than pleasant’ on a shirt. But you have these abilities that I lack. But I’m thinking if I follow you, I’d get more accustomed to it, ya know?”

Ren smiled. “I told you you’re a good anchor.”

“Well, it’s only because I have something reliable I can anchor myself to,” Ryuji retorted.

Ren giggled. “Fine, we’re both awesome. Now let’s prove it by crushing our workout routines!”

“HELL YEAH!” Ryuji shouted. They began working out, spotting each other when necessary. Soon, they ended up laying on the floor, exhausted. “Man, I haven’t felt this good after a workout in a long time.”

“Yeah,” Ren agreed. “This is the first time after working out with someone who knows of my sexuality that I’ve felt good at all.”

“Oh yeah” Ryuji said. “You hadn’t told us the last time we worked out huh?” He drank from his water bottle. “So like, I know it’s not my place to say much, but when are you thinking of telling everyone else?”

Ren looked directly up. “I dunno. But I know I should.” She took a drink from her water bottle. “Telling you three was hard enough as is.”

“I get it,” Ryuji said. “Just know that whatever happens, I’m in your corner.”

Ren turned her head over to look at him. “Thanks.”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 4

They got back up, cleaned themselves off in the gym’s showers, and then headed out.

Ren went to the diner to grab a bite to eat. As she entered, she saw Mishima. She approached him. “Hey. Mind if I take a seat?”

Mishima was giddy. “Please, have a seat.” Ren sat across from him. She grabbed a menu. “Feeling alright?”

“Yeah” Ren answered. “I just had an intense workout session with Ryuji.”

“Gotcha,” Mishima said, understanding. Once Ren knew what she wanted, she placed her order. “Anyways, while we’re waiting, I’ve been thinking.”

“About what?” Ren asked, concerned.

“You know…” Mishima said, insinuating.

“Riiiiiiight” Ren said. “And?”

“Well, I think that while some progress is being made, we aren’t changing as many hearts as we could” Mishima explained.

Ren was curious. “Where did this ‘we’ come from?”

“Right, sorry,” Mishima said. “I guess you do the heavy lifting. But that might change when I become a full member!”

Ren was shocked. “Um, do you even know how we do what we do?”

“No clue,” Mishima answered honestly. “But I think I can learn once I’m let in.”

Ren stared at him. If he doesn’t have the app now, I doubt that he’ll get it ever. But I don’t know how to explain that without, well, explaining everything. She then got an idea. “Mishima.” He perked up. “If you’re part of the team, who’s running the Phan-site?”

“I will,” Mishima said. “I’ll pull double duty.”

“Yeah, but doing what we do is hard work,” Ren explained. “I doubt that you can do both effectively.”

“Well, I could try,” Mishima insisted.

“Mishima,” Ren said, placing her hand on his. “Trust me.” Mishima was stunned. Ren let go as Mishima pulled back as he grew frustrated. “But…” Mishima looked up again. “Your place as head of the Phan-site is important as well.”

Mishima was conflicted. “You’re just saying that to make me feel better.”

“I’m serious,” Ren continued. “The Phantom Thieves get involved with all sorts of trouble. Having a degree of separation between us is beneficial. You can focus on things we can’t because we need to focus on what we know. Much like you can’t do both, neither can we. And having someone like you helps.”

Mishima seemed unconvinced for a bit, but then smiled. “Yeah. I guess that makes sense. Ha ha.” He looked down at the table. “You know, I was kind of hoping to get made a member immediately once I told you about the Phan-site. It’s the first time in a while I did something on my own with such a bold stroke. But I guess being a satellite to the Phantom Thieves is good as well.”

Ren smiled. “I know how hard it can be to put yourself out there. But I think it’s important to do so. I mean, none of us would have thought of the idea for the Phan-site.”

Mishima was shocked. “Really? But we live in the age of the internet.”

“Yeah, but we have other things we need to focus on as the Thieves” Ren iterated. “It would have slipped our mind.”

“I see…” Mishima said. “I guess by being the head of the Phan-site, I’m earning my place. Heh I never thought I’d have a place of my own.”

Ren smirked. “Neither did I.”

“What?!” Mishima said, surprised. “But…”

Ren chuckled. “We all have our own insecurities.”

Mishima was stunned with this knowledge. “Huh. I guess you're right. Well then hopefully with the places we occupy, we’ll work to overcome them.”

Ren smiled and nodded. Her drink had arrived. She picked it up and raised it. “To overcoming insecurity.”

Mishima responded in kind. “To overcoming insecurity.” They clinked their glasses.

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 3

Once Ren’s food got there, she could hardly focus on anything else. Mishima didn’t seem to mind. They both finished around the same time. Just as Ren was about to leave, Mishima interrupted. “Wait!” Ren stopped. He slipped her a piece of paper. “These are a few names of people I found causing some trouble; including that guy Takanashi was talking about. Whenever you decide to go for it, contact me, and I’ll let the world know.”

Ren looked at the list. She smiled. “See. We couldn’t have done this without you.” Mishima chuckled. Ren nodded, and headed home for the evening.

Notes:

Man, I don't remember the confidants in P5 like I thought I did. I thought the date thing with Mishima I did chapters ago was rank 2, when it was rank 3, and I thought going to the gym with Ryuji was rank 4 when it was rank 5. Still, I guess that presents a writing opportunity of its own. I think I did a good job working around those missteps. I was planning on doing something else with Ryuji later, but when writing, the situation presented itself with something that could afford to stand on its own, so I took it. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 49: The Heart of the Matter

Notes:

Well, I knew it had to come. This is the first chapter on a new Google Doc. So, Google Docs gets hard to use after so many pages or words. I wanted to go until after the hot pot celebration, but it was already getting a bit unwieldy. And I'm glad I switched, because this was nine pages. It was really fun to write though. Easy too, since I'm a bit under the weather at the moment. Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Before school, Makoto Niijima called a special meeting of the student council. “What’s this about?” one asked.

“If you can just be patient,” Makoto explained, exacerbated, “I can explain.” She took a breath. “Ever since Mr. Kamoshida confessed his sins, I've been gathering information about students who have been victims of his. I’ve divided them up into these lists, and I ask that you each take a list and start interviewing them one by one.”

They were handed out their lists. “Why are we doing this?” another member asked.

Makoto stared at them. “We are the student council. Yet we knew none of what was happening with Mr. Kamoshida. This is to evaluate our standing with the student body, and assure them we are on their side, as well as creating a template to make sure something like this never happens again. Are we clear?”

“Yes ma’am!” they shouted in unison.

“Good” Makoto responded. “Now, I divided them up by year. Since the second years are going on their social studies field trips today and tomorrow, the second year student council members will handle them after that. Otherwise, everyone else can start right away. You have free use of the student council room. Dismissed.” The student council members left. Makoto flopped on the couch and sighed. “This is going to be complicated.”

When school started, the second years left to go on their field trips. The three second year thieves, as well as a hidden Morgana, headed to the TV station in hopes of finding some dirt that could lead them to a possible new target. As the trip progressed, they didn’t find that. The only thing they found was boredom. As a TV station worker went over things they already understood, the students were bored out of their mind. “Why did we do this again?” Ryuji asked.

The chaperone, Miss Kawakami, turned to them and whispered “I know you’re bored, but at least act like you’re paying attention.”

“Sorry” Ryuji said. Miss Kawakami looked at them, and turned her focus back to other students and the presenter.

After the bulk of the trip, the thieves met in a hall. “Ugh, what a waste,” Ann said.

“Yeah, we didn’t learn anything” Ryuji said

“Hey now” Ren said. “While it’s true this trip was a snoozefest, we did succeed in acting like normal students for now.”

“Ugh, I’d rather be taken to the principal’s office” Ryuji groaned. “And we still have another day of this.”

“Well,” Ann began, “tomorrow we get to see them shooting an actual show. Maybe that might be interesting.”

“Yeah, I guess,” Ryuji said, still unamused.

Morgana popped out. “Well, that’s tomorrow. Is there anything we can do today while we’re here?”

“I doubt that they’re going to let us snoop around outside of the school’s presence,” Ren explained.

“Yeah, I guess,” Morgana said.

Ryuji’s face lit up. “BUT we have free reign in the area, AND Dome Town’s nearby.”

“YES!” Ann exclaimed. “Soooooo many sweets.”

“Sweets?!” Morgana said. “Like pancakes?”

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. “But we should go on the rides first. I mean, I’d hate to go and puke up all that stuff.”

“Ryuji…” Ann said, disgusted.

“P-puke?!” Morgana said. “Um, cat’s can't go on those things, right?”

“Oh, so NOW you're a cat?” Ryuji fired back.

Morgana growled at him. Ren interrupted. “From what I’ve read, there’s tons of stuff to do. Maybe we can hit up a few things for all of us.”

“Yeah!” Morgana said, cheering up. “And we can start by getting some of those pancakes!”

As they were talking, Akechi was passing by. Their conversation caught his attention. “Excuse me?” he said, walking up to them. “I don’t mean to be rude, but I overheard your conversation. Talking about Dome Town?”

“Uh, yeah” Ann said, shook by this boy’s approach.

“Ah, well, enjoy yourselves,” Akechi responded. “Although, I haven’t really seen any of you before. What brings you here?”

“We’re on a field trip,” Ren informed him.

“Oh right,” Akechi said. “I was told about this. So, are you having fun?”

“Uhhhhhh” Ryuji said, not knowing how to answer that without being rude.

“Well, I guess this is a school event after all,” Akechi said. “‘Fun’ has to take a back seat.”

“Right…” Ann said, confused by his demeanor.

“Well, I hope your visit to Dome Town makes up for it,” Akechi said. “At least, until tomorrow that is. Later.” He started walking away. “Oh, by the way, the pancakes there are delicious.”

“What?” Ryuji said, confused.

“Ah, terribly sorry,” Akechi said. “I heard her say that she was interested in the sweets lineup they had. I just wanted to give my personal recommendation.” He finished walking away.

They were all confused. “Lady Ann, I also recommended the pancakes, '' Morgana said.

“Yeah, but all he heard was meowing, if that” Ann reminded him.

“I guess...” Morgana said, a bit disappointed.

“Well then, shall we head out?” Ren said.

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom first,” Ryuji said. “But then totally.” He rushed off.

“I’m going to give Shiho a call,” Ann said. “I wonder if her field trip went any better.” Ann walked off.

Ren began waiting for her friends. “Amamiya-chan” said a voice from behind her. Ren was surprised. She turned around, almost scared of who was calling out to her.

She was relieved when she saw a smiling man she remembered from not too long ago. “Oh. You’re Yoshizawa’s dad.”

Shinichi nodded. “I’m glad you remember me. So, you’re on your field trip, eh?” Ren nodded. “I’ve got to thank Sumire for recommending this for you.”

Ren was shocked. “Um, she didn’t…” she admitted.

“Oh” Shinichi. “Well, I still hope you’re having fun.” Ren decided not to say anything there. “So, I’ve heard a lot about you from Sumire,” Ren started blushing, “but we’ve only met once before, and that was when she was still pretending to be her sister.”

“Yeah…” Ren said. “I’m sorry.” She said. Shinichi looked at him. “About Kasumi. And agreeing to Sumire thinking she was Kasumi. I didn’t know.”

Shinichi smiled. “You don’t need to apologize,” he explained. “None of that was your fault. Besides, whenever Sumire talks about you she has the brightest smile on her face. I hadn’t seen that in a while. So that alone would more than make up for any wrongdoing you might have done.”

Ren’s entire face was now beat red. “Thank you, sir.”

“Yo” Ryuji said, coming back.

“Hey” Ann said, returning as well. Both were surprised by the man talking with Ren. “Uh, who is this?”

Ren smiled and said “This is Sumire’s dad.”

“Hello,” Shinichi said.

Ann and Ryuji were surprised. “Uh, hello” Ann said nervously.

“These are my friends, Takamaki, and Sakamoto,” Ren said, introducing them.

“Oh, so you’re Ann and Ryuji,” Shinichi said, apparently knowing who they are. “Sumire has told me about you two as well.”

“Good things I hope,” Ryuji said.

“Of course,” Shinichi explained. “Sumire really loves her friends.” He looked around. “Um, are Yusuke and Jose with you?”

Ren shook her head. “They go to a different school.”

“Ah, I see” Shinichi. “Well tell them I say thank you as well.” The trio were surprised. “I haven’t seen Sumire in such high spirits for a while. I know it’s because of her friends. So thank you.”

All three of them were blushing. Ren smiled, nodded, and said “We’ll tell Yusuke and Jose as well.”

“Thanks,” he said. “Well, I’ve gotta go. As you may have learned, working here is pretty busy.” He walked off.

“What part of the TV station does HE work at where things are interesting?” Ryuji said.

“He must be pretty high up,” Morgana said.

“Besides, it doesn’t matter,” Ann said. “After being complimented like that, the least we can do is pretend like we aren’t bored.”

“Right” Ryuji said, slinking himself nowhere in particular.

“So, Dome Town?” Ren said.

“DOME TOWN!” Ryuji rallied.

“DOME TOWN!” Ann yelled.

“DOME TOWN!” Morgana cheered. The four went off to Dome Town.

They had a delightful time. Riding the rides, eating the food, doing all sorts of things. “Man that was great!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Yeah, and I didn’t go on any of the puke rides!” Mogana added.

“I’m telling ya, you’re missing out,” Ryuji said.

“Really?” Ann said. “Because you were the only one of us to actually puke afterwards.”

“Doesn’t mean I didn’t enjoy it,” Ryuji explained.

Ann sighed. “Why are boys like that?”

“I have no idea” Ren said. “But today was fun.”

“Totally” Ann said. “And that boy was right. The pancakes were delicious!”

“Yeah, but we need to cap it off somehow,” Ryuji said. “Something amazing, ya know?”

Ren looked up. “Well, we haven’t been on the ferris wheel yet. What do you say? It won’t make you puke, so Morgana can ride along as well.”

“Well, if I’m not puking, then count me in,” Morgana said.

“Yeah, that totally sounds like fun!” Ann said.

“Yeah! Seeing Tokyo from that high up! It’s perfect!” Ryuji exclaimed. They headed to the ferris wheel.

As they approached the front of the line, the person manning the ferris wheel asked “So, is it the three of you?”

Ren shook her head. “Just the two of them.” Ann and Ryuji’s faces went pale.

“I see,” the worker said.

“No! No, it's the three of us!” Ryuji said, panicking.

“Y-Yeah” Ann continued. “She's just joking.”

“I see. A joker, eh?” the worker responded. “Well, hop in you three.” Ren rolled her eyes, as she, Ann, and Ryuji went in.

It started to move. “Why’d you do that?” Ann asked.

“Fun,” Ren replied. In reality, she was hoping to give them the opportunity to maybe open up about how they feel, but she wasn’t about to say that to them.

“Well it wasn’t fun for me…” Morgana pouted.

“Why are you complaining?” Ryuji said. “You weren’t involved.”

“Well…” Morgana said. He didn’t have the courage to finish his thought. “...Nevermind.” Ren giggled.

Ryuji sighed. He turned to Ann. “So, how did Shiho’s field trip go?”

Ann was slightly taken aback, but adjusted to this new conversation. “She was just as bored.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said. Well, I guess that means it didn’t matter where we went.”

“I disagree,” Ren said. They turned to her. “Well, just because we ran into Sumire’s dad. That wouldn’t have happened if we hadn’t come to the TV station.”

“Yeah” Ann smiled. “Plus, we had fun here afterwards. So I can’t complain.”

“Yeah. Today was good” Ryuji said. When they reached the apex of the wheel, they looked out. “Woah!”

“This is amazing!” Morgana said.

“Yeah,” Ann agreed. “And I’m glad we all got to experience it together,” taking a slight jab at Ren’s earlier proposal of having them go separately. She rolled her eyes.

Ren took a good look herself. “This is lovely though.” As she looked at the glowing city, she smiled. She found herself blushing slightly.

After being told about how much Sumire liked her, and was shining, she found herself hoping that she could take her on a ferris wheel like this, just the two of them. In this hypothetical Ren created, once at the top, she could compare the bright lights of Tokyo to the girl she adored, and find that the latter would win out. Still, today had been great too, and the ferris wheel perfectly capped off the day. Once they reached the bottom, they got off, and headed for the school’s meeting place for the evening.

The next day, the second years were preparing for the taping. Meanwhile, at Shujin during break, Sumire was walking around when she was stopped by someone. “Yoshizawa,” the voice said.

She turned around and saw a girl from her class. She was a bit taller, with a hairclip in the back of her hair, but her hair still went straight down. “Oh, high Hagiwara-san. How are you?”

“I’m doing fine” she stated, matter of factly. “I’m here on student council business. If you could please follow me.”

“Oh, sure,” Sumire said. Hagiwara led the way as Sumire followed. Once they got to the student council room, they sat down. “What’s this about?” Sumire asked.

Hagiwara took a deep breath. “I’d like to talk about your experience with Kamoshida, if that’s alright with you?”

Sumire was perplexed. “What do you want to talk about?”

“I just want to hear what happened between him and you,” Hagiwara explained. “Is that alright?”

“Um, I guess so,” Sumire answered. Hagiwara nodded, instructing her to begin. “Well, ever since school started, Kamoshida was helping me out.” Hagiwara was surprised, but took notes diligently. “Since I’m an honors student, he took care of me, and seemed concerned with what and how I was doing. However, all of that crumbled the day of the volleyball exhibition. After the exhibition was over, he appeared to me. He was showing himself off to me in a way that made me feel weird. I didn’t understand what was going on. He then tried grabbing me, but before that could happen…”

Hagiwara looked up at her. “What happened?”

Sumire smiled. “Ren-senpai saved me.”

“I see,” Hagiwara said, writing this down.

“After that, we discussed that, and some other things,” Sumire continued. “I’d like to think that was the start of our friendship. But I wasn’t all there, so I don’t know if it counts, you know?”

Hagiwara finished writing. “Is that it?”

“Well, after that, not much happened” Sumire answered. “Like I said, I was having some difficulties of my own, and I soon got sick because of it.The day after I came back, the calling card was sent out.”

Hagiwara nodded. “Thank you. You're free to go now.”

Sumire smiled. “Thank you.” She got up and left.

Meanwhile, the second years were sitting in the audience, waiting for the show to begin. The two hosts were seated, and the crew started counting down to airing. “Hello, and welcome to the show,” the male host said.

“Today, we’ve got a special guest” the female host followed up. “He’s been here before a few times, but today he’s agreed to talk about something big.”

“Pshhh” Ryuji said. “Probably some jerk who’s all high and mighty. Maybe he has a palace.”

“Ryuji! Quite!’ Ann shushed.

“Give it up for the boy being called the second Detective Prince of Japan, Goro Akechi!” the male host shouted.

As Akechi took the stage, there were a lot of cheers, especially from the girls in the audience. However, Ren, Ann, and Ryuji were shocked. “Isn’t that…?” Ann asked

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“Him?!” Ryuji exclaimed, surprised by this whole ordeal.

Akechi sat down next to the hosts. “Welcome back, Akechi-san,” the female host said.

“A pleasure as always,” Akechi responded, smiling.

“So, what is this big scoop you wish to talk about today” the female host asked.

“It’s simple,” Akechi said. “I wish to discuss the Phantom Thieves.”

A wave of surprise overtook the crowd. “Us?” Ryuji whispered. Ann nudged him to keep him quiet. “Ow!”

“The Phantom Thieves?” the male host said. “You mean those people that claim to be changing hearts. Do you believe they actually exist?”

“What?!” Ann asked, incensed.

“I thought we were supposed to be quiet,” Ryuji teased.

“Shut it” Ann snapped.

“Yes ma’am” Ryuji backed down.

“Hm hm” Akechi chuckled. “While it is true that a lot of people don’t believe them, they have been taking credit for two recent high profile stories. So, even if they are fake, they are worth investigating.”

“I see,” the female host said.

“That said, why make that claim if they aren’t actually doing it?” Akechi proposed.

“Well, for attention, right?” the male host answered.

Akechi shook his head. “If this was just for attention, we probably would have seen the people making the claim by now. Nothing about either of the cases makes sense if you’re coming at it from the point of view that the Phantom Thieves don’t exist.”

“So, you really believe these people can change hearts?” the female host asked.

“Well, it does seem bizarre at the outset,” Akechi responded. “But nothing adds up if they weren’t real. Hence, when investigating them, I have to believe they do exist.”

“You seem to be enjoying yourself,” the female host noted.

“Well, to be honest, I am the kind of person who wishes Santa Claus were real,” Akechi replied. “Although, if he were, I’d have to arrest him for breaking and entering.” The crowd laughed.

Ryuji seemed frustrated. “Ryuji?” Ren asked.

“Stupid asshole” Ryuji muttered. “Thinking Santa isn’t real.”

Ren was surprised. “What?” she asked.

“Who gives out all those presents?” Ryuji asked.

“Are you OK?” Ren asked.

Ann turned to Ren and whispered. “OK, so, basically Ryuji’s mom keeps up the Santa act because she doesn’t want Ryuji to know she’s Santa, because then he’ll be even more frustrated that he isn’t doing enough for her.”

Ren was dumbfounded. “That’s...sweet I guess…”

“Yeah...I get it...but…” Ann continued.

“So, you believe these Phantom Thieves to be real?” the male host asked, capturing the teen’s attention once again.

Akechi nodded. “However, I do not support them,” he continued. This shocked everyone.

“Oh my” the female host exclaimed. “Would you care to explain?”

“Of course,” Akechi answered. “While there is no doubt the two high profile cases we’ve seen so far have yielded confessions from heinous criminals, I believe the ability to steal hearts and force them to is in defiance of justice itself.” Another wave of shock overtook the audience. “While these criminals should, and are, being brought to justice, the Phantom Thieves are going around forcing that justice onto them.”

“But wouldn’t that be a good thing?” the male host asked.

“Well, if they stick to criminals, I suppose,” Akechi said. “But what if their sense of justice spreads from criminals to people they don’t agree with? In that instance, they have the upper hand because they can force people to agree with them.”

“My, that sounds harrowing” the male host responded.

“It is,” Akechi agreed. “Which is why I’d like to see them brought to justice.” The crowd gasped and stammered.

“Well, let’s see what our audience thinks,” the female host said. “People of the audience, please take out your buzzers.” Everyone did so. “How many of you believe and support the Phantom Thieves? Press your buzzer if you do.” The results came in. “About 30%.”

“Hm. Higher than the national average ,” Akechi noted. “But then again, there is a higher amount of support for the Phantom Thieves among students, and as I understand it, a lot of our audience today is made up of students.”

“You are correct,” the male host replied.

“Let’s see if we can talk with one of them,” the female host said. She got up and walked to Ren. “How about you, young lady? What do you think of the Phantom Thieves?”

Ren was taken aback. The smart thing to do would be to disengage, but Ren was no stranger to playing with fire. “Oh, I believe they exist, and I fully support them” she exclaimed.

The crowd was ecstatic. “My, it looks like we’ve found someone who disagrees with you” the male host said.

“I see,” Akechi said, still surprised they picked out the girl he talked to yesterday. “Well, I’m not fully surprised. Three in ten isn’t the worst odds. So, if you don’t mind, might I ask why?”

Ren smirked at the provocation. “I think they’re bringing justice to people who couldn’t be brought to justice using conventional methods. People who go overlooked by the justice system in favor of people who are easier to apprehend.”

The whole room was shook. “I see,” Akechi said. “While I am no stranger to some of the shortcomings of traditional police work, the answer isn’t to take the law into your own hands. I agree that things need to change, but this might be going overboard.”

“And who will help the people that need it in the meantime?” Ren asked. “If they’re only going after criminals, then what’s the issue?”

“Hm. You do bring up a good point” Akechi answered. “They are helping people who otherwise cannot ask for it. But again, where does it end? What is a criminal to an unknown group of people? Someone might say I’m an upstanding citizen, but if these thieves think I’m a criminal, then there’s nothing I can do to stop them from changing my heart.”

Ren was peeved, but continued. “Even if that’s the case, how do you know that would happen?” she asked. “People make all sorts of judgments about people they don’t know all the time. It might be smarter to keep those preconceived notions to yourself until you’re face to face with an actual Phantom Thief. Unless you want to provoke them to steal your heart.”

“Oooooooo” the crowd said, collectively.

Akechi smiled. “That’s a fair assessment. While it’s true that all of this is speculative, I can’t be certain one way or another until that face to face meeting occurs. And until then, I need to be honest about how I feel. That’s fair on my part, don’t you think so?”

Everyone looked at Ren. “Yeah” she relented.

Akechi smiled. “Still, I thank you. This has been a most interesting conversation, and I am beginning to rethink some of my conclusions. So thank you.” He bowed.

The crowd erupted. “My, this is the first time Akechi-san seemed so grateful after an audience interaction.”

“My apologies to all those other guests,” Akechi responded. “It’s just, as a detective, and a third year student, I have so much on my mind.”

“Of course,” the female host said, turning to her seat. “Well, I think that does it for today. Join us again, won’t you?” The filming stopped

The audience got out of their seats one by one. Ren, Morgana, Ann, and Ryuji met up in an area by themselves. “Man, that detective!” Ryuji cursed. “Sayin’ we’re the bad guys.”

“Yeah, but some of what he was saying makes sense,” Ann tentatively agreed. “I mean, if someone else had these abilities, what’s stopping them from doing evil things?”

“Well it’s good that it’s us then” Morgana reminded them. “He might have his own sense of justice, but we have ours. And we plan to stick to it until the end.”

“I couldn’t have said it better myself” Ren complimented.

“By the way, you did great up there,” Ann said. “If it were Ryuji, he’d probably blurt out that it’s us.”

“Hey!” Ryuji said, taking offence. He relaxed. “But yeah, you were super cool! You put that detective in his place.”

Ren blushed. “Thanks.”

Ann checked the time. “It’s almost time to go. I’m gonna go get a drink of water. Be right back.” She left.

“I’m gonna head back,” Ryuji said. “The teachers have been watching me like a hawk. Maybe they think I’m up to somethin’ cause I haven’t done anything out of line yet. You wait for Ann, and I’ll wait for the two of you over there, ‘K?” Ren nodded. Ryuji left.

“Pardon me,” Akechi said. He walked up to Ren. “I didn’t wish to interrupt your conversation with your friends again. I wanted to thank you personally. As Hegel said, new ideas can’t be brought out without thesis and antithesis. Still, our conversation today was excellent.” He reached out his left hand. “I wish to continue our discussions, and perhaps we could even become friends, Miss…”

Ren began reaching with her right hand but stopped herself. She switched hands and said “Amamiya. Ren Amamiya.”

They shook. “I see. Well, Miss Amamiya, I look forward to our next conversation.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Justice Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 1

“Shall we exchange contact information?” Akechich asked. Ren nodded, and they did so.

“Akechi-san” Shinichi from behind him.

Akechi turned around. “Ah Mr. Yoshizawa. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Well, I did wish to thank you for your interview today,” Shinichi said. “Our ratings and people messaging in are through the roof.”

“You’re too kind,” Akechi replied.

“But” Shinichi said, getting a little more serious, causing Akechi to worry a bit, “I’m here to make sure you're not harassing this young woman here. She’s my daughter’s best friend, you know?”

“Sumire’s…” Akechi said, shocked. Meanwhile, Ren blushed at the notion of being Sumire’s best friend. He smiled. “I see. No wonder you make such a wonderful debate partner.”

Ren was perplexed. “You know Sumire?”

“We’ve met once or twice,” Akechi said. “Whenever she was here to visit Mr. Yoshizawa here. I don’t know her as well as you do, but we are friendly with each other, and I know it can be hard for her to get close to people. So anyone she is close with, let alone someone she considers her best friend, is alright in my book.” Ren smiled. “Well, I should get going. I’ve got a million other things I need to attend to.”

“As do I,” Shinichi said. They both walked off.

“OK, I’m back,” Ann said. “Where's Ryuji?”

“He’s with the teachers to take us back,” Ren said. “Apparently the teachers are keeping a sharp eye on him.”

“Yeah, I guess it is hard to believe he can behave himself,” Ann said. “Still, I know he can do it,” she smiled. “Let’s head out then. Don’t wanna keep them waiting.” Ren nodded, and together they met up with the rest of the students and headed out.

Notes:

It's chapters like this that make me glad to be reinventing P5R. Slight changes like the interactions between Ren and Shinichi. Those wouldn't have taken place because Ren and "Kasumi" wouldn't be as close yet, and I think they're rather interesting. Big changes like Makoto and the student council's interviewing is really interesting too. I know why that didn't happen in the game, but since I'm tampering with things, I might as well go the whole nine yards in some cases. Yet keeping some things similar also has its benefits, like the interview. That scene is really good, and keeping it, whatever changes come, makes it more interesting. I even played with the idea of raising the number of people who support the thieves, but I think the original number makes sense. And then there's the adding of little bits just for my own amusement. This is incredibly fun to write, and I seriously cannot wait to show what I have next. But I can't be typing this all the time. Still, regardless, I hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.

Chapter 50: Stirred

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Saturday, Makoto was called into Principal Kobayakawa’s office. “You wanted to see me sir?”

Kobayakawa was indignant. “I hear you’re asking about Kamoshida. Why is that?”

Makoto grew slightly indignant herself, but kept a level head. “Well, you wanted me to investigate the Phantom Thieves, right? I figured that since we didn’t know of their possible existence until they sent Kamoshida that calling card, then the Phantom Thieves, if they do go to this school, might have an ax to grind with him. Hence the interviews.”

Kobayakawa glared at her. “I guess that makes sense.”

“Is there an issue with my explanation?” Makoto asked. “Because if there is, it sounds like you don’t want people talking about Mr. Kamoshida.”

“Well, it’s just old news at this point,” Kobayakawa deflected. “I don’t want to stubbornly dwell on the past and all.”

“Yeah, but if you want to know who these thieves are, this has to be a part of it,” Makoto instructed. “So what do you want? Do you want to protect Mr. Kamoshida, or do you want to know who the Phantom Thieves are?”

Kobayakawa was about to burst. Begrudgingly, he said “I want to know who the Phantom Thieves are.”

“Very well then” Makoto said, leaving the office.

Once Makoto had left, Kobayakawa smirked. “You want information, Miss Niijima? You’re going to get it!”

During the day, Ren was being treated like a celebrity due to her interaction with Akechi, with both pros and cons. The students divided themselves up between pro-Phantom Thieves, and by extension, Pro-Ren, and Pro-Akechi factions. When it came time for lunch, it was almost too much for her to bear. “Ugh. I almost miss being isolated from everyone” Ren moaned.

“Hey, it’s not so bad,” Ann said, trying to cheer her up. “Besides, things move fast in the city. Who knows, by Monday, this interview thing will be old hat.”

Ren gave a goofy smile. “Thanks…”

Just then, someone burst into their class. It was a male student with shaggy orange hair and purple glasses. He looked around with his gaze coming to a halt on Ren. “Ah ha!” He walked over to her. “Miss Amamiya, the woman of the hour. I am here on behalf of the student council, and I would wish to speak to you.”

Ren was exhausted with the attention. “If it’s about the interview…”

“No, this is about something else,” he explained. “We’ve been conducting interviews at the request of the president. And personally, I’m on your side with that.”

“Oh, um, well, sure, I guess then” Ren said, confused, but figured that this might be better than the constant attention.

“Then let’s head up,” the student council member said. He started walking and Ren followed him. As they were walking, he said “By the way, my name’s Hiroki.”

Ren was perplexed. “No last name?”

“Meh” Hiroki cheeped. “It’s not my thing.”

“Well then, if it’s all the same to you, would you mind calling me Ren?” she asked.

“Of course,” Hiroki smiled. They made it to the student council room and sat down. “So, Ren,” Ren chuckled slightly at him emphasizing her name, “if it’s alright with you, I’d like to talk about Mr. Kamoshida.”

Ren was surprised. “Mr. Kamoshida?”

Hiroki nodded. “We’re investigating the incident to see how we can prevent such a thing from happening again.”

Ren was a tad suspicious, but decided to go for it. “Um, sure. I guess the starting point was my first day here. I’m a transfer student, so that was a little ways into the school year. Anyways, as I was heading over to a crosswalk, there was another girl standing there, Ann, although I didn’t know her at the time. Anyways, Mr. Kamoshida pulled up and invited her into his car. Soon after, he invited me as well. Ann looked hesitant, so I decided to hop in to make sure nothing happened.”

“Wait, you took a ride with a stranger to protect someone else?” Hiroki said, interrupting her. Ren nodded. “I gotta commend you on that. That’s pretty bold.” Ren slightly blushed. “Anyways, please continue.”

“Well, nothing really happened in the car,” Ren continued. “After that, Ann and I hung out all day, and we became fast friends. After school though, Ann had to leave for a bit, and Kamoshida called me to his office. It was there he tried to make a move on me.” Ren looked down. “I have a bit of baggage from my hometown, and Kamoshida was hoping to exploit it to get what he wanted.”

“Oh my” Hiroki said. “Did anything happen?”

Ren smiled and shook her head. “Before anything could happen, Ann and Shiho stopped him. Ann whisked me away and then apologized profusely and then told me about the kind of person Mr. Kamoshida was.”

“I see,” Hiroki noted. “Did anything else happen?”

“Well, I did save a different student from Kamoshida’s advances,” Ren said.

“Could you tell me their name?” Hiroki inquired.

“Sumire” Ren answered.

“I see” Hiroki wrote it down. “And that’s it?”

Ren nodded. “I think Ann and Shiho’s interruption was enough to dissuade Kamoshida, at least for a bit. Besides, I wasn’t here for long before the Phantom Thieves sent out that calling card.”

“Right,” Hiroki agreed. “Well, thanks for coming in. I know this couldn’t have been easy to talk about.”

“Oh, it’s fine,” Ren said. “If it’s to make sure a new Kamoshida doesn’t spring up, I’m all for it. Besides, Dr. Maruki has told me I should work on opening up more.”

“You’ve visited Dr. Maruki?” Hiroki asked. Ren nodded. “Huh. Maybe I should give it a try then.”

“By all means” Ren said.

She got up, but before she could leave, Hiroki shouted “Wait!” Ren was surprised. “Uh, I just have a personal question, if you don’t mind.” Ren tilted her head. “Not about you, just something I’d like to know for myself.”

“O...K…?” Ren said, still confused.

Hiroki sighed. “What do you get the girl who has everything? To, you know, show her your affection.”

Ren was still weirded out, but it did seem like he just wanted some dating advice. “Well, the one thing not to get the girl who has everything is a contract with a sea witch” she joked.

Hiroki laughed. “Yeah, I guess it was a bit unusual to spring that on you. Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “And good luck with your girl problem.” Ren left.

Once she got back to class, Ann asked her “What was that about?”

“Kamoshida” Ren answered directly.

“Really?” Ann asked. Ren nodded. “Why?”

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “But they say it’s to help them prevent another Kamoshida-like incident.”

Ann seemed distrustful. “I want to believe that, but…”

“Yeah…” Ren agreed. “Still, even if they are being honest, it is better not to tell the truth about the whole Phantom Thieves thing.”

“Right,” Ann agreed. Almost immediately afterwards, they got a message.

Yusuke: Can we meet up?

Jose: Yusuke…

Sumire: What for?

Yusuke: I’m just frustrated is all.

Yusuke: Dorm life isn’t turning out like I’d hope it would.

Ryuji: I get it. Ya need to blow off some steam.

Ann: Come to think of it, we haven’t had an initiation party for Yusuke yet.

Ann: Or really, Sumire and Jose.

Jose: We went to that diner.

Ryuji: Yeah, but that was more to hammer out the details of us going forward.

Ryuji: We need to really celebrate you joining the team.

Sumire: I see.

Ren: As much as I would love to, I’m afraid I’d get recognized wherever I go.

Yusuke: Ah, yes, I did see the interview.

Yuuke: You did wonderful, by the way.

Jose: Yeah, it’s all everyone talks about here at Kosei.

Ren: Ughhhhhhhhh.

Jose: Something the matter?

Ann: Ren-chan’s not a fan of the attention.

Ren: I’m not used to it.

Ryuji: Well, I mean, I guess it wouldn’t be much of a celebration, but how about we just head to your place?

Ren: That’s fine, I guess.

Ren: Come to think of it, I do have a hot pot in my room.

Yusuke: Hot pot, you say?

Yusuke: It’s settled then.

Ryuji: ...Someone’s excited.

Ann: We’ll meet up at Station Square after school, OK?

Sumire: OK!

Yusuke: Works for me!

Ryuji: Alright.

Jose: OK!

Ren: Very well then.

They put their phones away.

As they were heading out, Hiroki met up with Ren and Ann. “Hi, um, Ann.”

“...Hello?” Ann said, taken aback.

“If it’s alright with you, would you mind coming with me to the student council room?” Hiroki invited.

“Ummmm, OK?” Ann said, still confused.

Ren giggled slightly. “Don’t worry, Hiroki here doesn’t bite.”

“Of course,” Hiroki said, grinning like an idiot.

Ann laughed. “OK, OK.” The two left. Ren took out her phone.

Ren: It’s gonna be a bit.

Ryuji: Why’s that?

Ren: A student council member is interviewing her.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Sumire: Oh yeah.

Sumire: I should have told you. They’re interviewing people about Kamoshida.

Ryuji: Why?

Ren: They say it’s to prevent another Kamoshida from happening.

Ryuji: And you believe that?!

Ren: Well, so long as we keep quiet about us being the Phantom Thieves, there’s no harm in humoring them, right?

Ryuji: I guess…?

Yusuke: I agree. If they are noble, then this is fine. And if they aren’t, you can push them toward nobility.

Sumire: Right. I guess.

Ren: It shouldn’t take too long.

Meanwhile, Hiroki and Ann entered the student council room, each taking a seat. “So, um, do you know why we’re here?”

Ann nodded. “Ren told me you’re asking people about Kamoshida.”

Hiroki smiled. “Very well. Do you feel comfortable talking about him?”

Ann fidgets. “I’m not sure, but I guess I’ll go for it, if this is to help you prevent another Kamoshida.” Hiroki nodded. Ann was still a little hesitant. “Ever since coming to this school, Kamoshida has been a shadow lurking at every turn. As head of track and volleyball, he had dominion over my two best friends. He manipulated them to get us to split up. He also approached me several times pretending to be innocent. But I’m a model, and I could tell what he wanted right away. I kept brushing him off, but he kept insisting. Eventually, he tried using my friends to get what he wanted from me.”

Hiroki sighed. “I've heard a lot of similar stories from people today, and yet it never fails to send chills down my spine.”

Ann was surprised. “Huh.”

“Anyways, continue,” Hiroki instructed.

Ann nodded. “I didn’t know what to do. I was perpetually stuck between a rock and hard place. I didn’t think the school was going to do anything about Kamoshida, so I kept trying to delay what I thought was inevitable.” Ann smiled. “But then one day, Kamoshida invited me into his car, and another girl came along with. I was frightened by this, but soon we became close friends. However, Kamoshida called her into his office, and I was at my wit's end.”

“So, what did you do?” Hiroki asked.

“I rushed over there,” Ann said. “Luckily, nothing had happened, but I was so scared that I had betrayed my new friend’s trust,” Ann started crying. “But she said it was alright. Later, she told me she came into his car to protect me. Isn’t that something?” Ann smiled. “Ever since Kamoshida entered the scene, things seemed bleak. I felt like I couldn’t do anything. My friends and I were in his grasp. But I wasn’t about to let someone else fall there too.”

“I see,” Hiroki said, jotting it down. “Did anything else happen?”

“Ummm, I’m not sure how to answer that,” Ann said. “I mean, I know the Phantom Thieves showed up sometime after that, but…”

Hiroki chuckled slightly. “I meant with you.”

“Oh, no,” Ann answered. “Not really. But after Kamoshida confessed, I felt freer than ever.”

“Hm,” Hiroki said. “Well, thank you for your time. I’m sure this wasn’t easy.”

“Yeah” Ann said. “But if it helps…”

“Right,” Hiroki said. “Speaking of, your friend Ren has some nice words about Dr. Maruki. If you’re still feeling overwhelmed, or if this opened any old wounds, I’d suggest paying him a visit.”

Ann smiled. “Yeah, she’s told me as such. And I’ve been thinking about it. I might go soon.”

“Well then, have a good rest of your day,” Hiroki said. Ann nodded and walked out.

Once she met up with Ren, Ren asked “Well, how’d it go.”

Ann was thinking about how to answer that. “About as well as you’d expect. I mean, I had been in Kamoshida’s sights for a while, so there was a lot to unpack.”

Ren frowned. “I’m sorry.” “Don’t be sorry” Ann insisted. “You’ve done so much for me. You’re basically my hero.”

Ren blushed immensely. “Thanks.”

“Anyways, we should get going,” Ann said. “We don’t want to keep them too long.”

“Right” Ren nodded. They both headed to Station Square.

Once there, they saw everyone else. “Yo” Ryuji greeted them. “How’d it go? You OK?”

Ann smiled. “Yeah. It is a lot, but I think I did OK.”

“Lady Ann…” Morgana said, popping out of Ren’s bag.

“I’m sorry” Sumire blurted. “I should have said something earlier.”

The three other Shujin students were taken aback. “It’s OK,” Ren said, trying to calm her.

“Yeah, Kamoshida’s A LOT, even with a proper warning” Ryuji stated.

“Yeah. Don’t beat yourself up over it” Ann said. “Really, it’s fine.”

Sumire smiled. “Oh. Right. Speaking of warnings, had I known Akechi was going to be the interviewee, or that you were going to the TV studio at all, I might have told you about him.”

Ren smiled. “That’s fine,” she said. “I like charging into things head first sometimes.”

Sumire smiled back. “I can see why Akechi found you so engaging.”

Ann also smiled. “But you know who else we met?”

Sumire became inquizitive. “Who?”

“Your dad,” Ann answered.

“That’s right,” Ryuji said. “He thanked us for being your friend, and wanted us to thank Jose and Yusuke as well.”

Sumire was embarrassed. “R-Really?!”

“He actually talked to me twice,” Ren said.

This surprised Ann and Ryuji. “When was the second time?” Ryuji asked.

“After the interview,” Ren replied. “When you two left, Akechi came up to me with an offer of friendship. He came up to us and we had a little chat.”

“And you said ‘no’, right?” Ryuji asked. “To being friends with Akechi.”

“I actually said ‘yes’” Ren informed him.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji reacted.

“Well, he seemed nice enough,” Ren said. “Besides, he’s not totally against us, just if we abuse our power, which we won’t.”

“I think that makes sense,” Jose said. “It’s more of a fear than an outrage.”

“Fear, huh” Ryuji reflected. He stared at the dirt.

“What’s wrong?” Yusuke asked.

Ryuji looked up. “N-Nuthin’.”

“It’s OK, we’re all friends here” Ren said, assuring him.

Ryuji looked at her. “Not here. We’re too public.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, shall we head over.”

“Of course!” Yusuke said. “I cannot wait for this hot pot!” The gang started walking over to Leblanc. “By the way Ann,” Yusuke began. Ann looked at him. “If I decide to leave the dorms, would it be OK to live with you?”

Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana panicked. Ann blushed. “Of course not!”

“Huh?” Yusuke said, surprised.

Ren seemed a tad confused. “I’m not sure he’s the type to do what you’re thinking.”

“Well, maybe, I guess…” Ann trailed off. “But it would be a bit awkward. I mean, there would be times when it would be just the two of us.”

“Yeah…” Ryuji added.

“Oh. I didn’t know” Yusuke said.

“It’s fine,” Ann said.

They reached Leblanc. Yusuke looked up. “This is where you live?”

“Yup” Ren said. She opened the door.

Sojiro turned around. “Huh. I wasn’t expecting you back so soon.”

“I’m just bringing some friends over,” Ren explained. “Is that OK?”

One by one, everyone started walking in. Yusuke stepped in and took a considerable look around. “Ah, you have a new guy with you,” Sojiro noted.

“Yup” Jose said. “He’s my senpai at Kosei. He’s been feeling a bit anxious, so we thought some time amongst friends would be helpful.”

“Ah. Where are my manners?” Yusuke said. “My name is Yusuke Kitagawa.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. He saw Yusuke looking around. “My name’s Sojiro but you can call me ‘Boss’ If you’d like. So, anything strike your fancy?”

“Huh?” Yusuke said. “Oh, sorry. I’m just perplexed is all. I’ve never met anyone who lives in a dining establishment.

“Heh, well, it takes all kinds,” Sojiro said.

“I’ll say,” Yusuke said. He looked over to see a set of stairs. “Do you live upstairs, or does she?”

“I do,” Ren said. “Sojiro lives in a house close by.”

“Ah, I see,” Yusuke said. “...Wait…”

“Before you ask, it’s complicated,” Sojiro said. “Moreso with me than with her.”

“Thanks boss,” Ren said. “So, if you don’t mind, I noticed a hot pot upstairs. Mind if we use it?”

“That old thing?” Sojiro responded. “Go ahead. I almost forgot it was there.”

“Sweet. Thanks” Ren said. “Well, you heard the man, let’s get this set up!” The gang headed upstairs. Ren and Ryuji got the hot pot down. “Alright then. I suppose ingredients are next. I’ll go see what we have, and what we need. Does anyone have any preferences?”

“Nah!” Ryuji said. “I’m sure whatever we make will be delicious!”

“Anyone else?” Ren asked.

“I’m with Ryuji-senpai,” Sumire said.

“Well, then I guess it’s settled,” Ren said. “I’ll be right back.” Ren went downstairs.

Ryuji looked around. “What’s up?” Jose asked

Ryuji was taken off guard. “Well, it’s just, we haven’t really been up here before…”

“Yeah…” Ann realized. She also looked around. “This place is...a bit different than I expected. But like...good different?”

Sumire looked around. “It’s not traditional, but I guess it works.”

“I’ll say,” Yusuke noted. “I wonder why she doesn’t live with her father.”

“Well, that’s more her place today” Ann said.

“But didn’t he say it was more on him?” Yuske inquired.

“Oh” Ann said. “No, Sojiro isn’t her father.”

“Huh,” Yusuke noted.

Ren came back up. “OK, I’m missing a few ingredients. Who wants to come with me to get some?”

“I’ll go,” Yusuke offered. “I’d like to know more about this place you call home.”

No one was expecting quite a dramatic take on it, but they settled into it quickly. “OK, sure” Ren said. “Anyone else?”

“Nah, we’ll hold down the fort here,” Ryuji said.

“Alright then Let’s go Yusuke,” Ren said. The two of them left to grab some ingredients for the hot pot.

While in the grocery store, Yusuke asked “So, why are you living there?”

Ren turned her attention to him. “Oh yeah. I guess you wouldn’t know, would you. It might be better to explain things when we get back, since I don’t think Jose knows either.”

“I see,” Yusuke responded. “Very well. Let’s continue.” Ren and Yusue picked out some more ingredients and headed back. Once upstairs, Yusuke declared “Alright! Let’s make some hot pot!”

The gang began making hot pot. Ren took charge since it was her room and Sojiro’s pot. She wanted to be careful, while listening to the group to get some good input. Once they finished, they began serving it.

“MMMMMMMM” Ann deighted. “This is SOOOO GOOOOD!”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. This is DELICIOUS!”

“Boy, I’ll say,” Ryuji said. “Maybe you should become a professional.”

Ren swallowed her latest bit of hot pot. “That might be a bad idea. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be the only cook with a record.”

“R-Record?” Yusuk said, surprised.

“Oh right, Yusuke doesn’t know,” Ann said.

“Yeah” Ren said, “but I did promise to tell him.” Ren smiled. “So, basically, what happened was one night in my hometown, some guy was trying to force this woman into his car. I decided to try and stop it, but he fell down and had me arrested for assault.”

Yusuke was incensed. “Surely the woman would have said something.”

Ren shook her head. “The guy had immense sway. He even had the police leave his name out of the report. Once I got out on probation, my parents thought that with my already turbulent school life, things might become too much, and so they arranged for me to stay here.”

Yusuke was stunned. “Huh.”

“To be honest, we’re all kind of like that, at least a little,” Sumire noted. “I mean, you already know about my trauma, and we all know yours.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “We’re all just a bunch of misfits here. I think that’s what makes us good thieves.” Ryuji looked at the floor.

“Ryuji?” Ann asked.

“Ah, right,” Ryuji said, refocusing. “I was just thinking about what Jose said earlier. About how that Akechi guy might be motivated by a fear of us. I’m just… My mom practically lived in fear of my dad until the day he left. She’s still kind of afraid of him. Not that she’d ever tell me. But I see it.” Ryuji looked at his hands. “I get why someone might be afraid of what we do, but I don’t want people to fear us. I don’t want to use what we have to scare people.”

Everyone went a little silent. Yusuke then spoke up. “As someone who also lived by fear, I can assure you, what we do is different. The people we are fighting are more about using fear to get what they want. When we reject their scare tactics, we are ripping off their mask to reveal the pathetic people they really are.”

Everyone was stunned. “Woah!” Ryuji said.

Ann smiled. “Well, so long as we’re talking about this sort of thing…”

“You too?” Yusuke said, surprised.

“Well, I don’t have anything quite so extreme,” Ann explained, “but… I dunno. I’ve always felt out of place. People only see me for my looks most of the time, so they think that’s who I really am.”

“Ah! I’m sorry” Yusuke said, bowing.

“...Uh, what for?” Ann asked.

“When I asked to paint you,” Yusuke said. “At the time, I didn’t know much about you, but I was taken in with your look and your energy. Forgive me.”

Ann smiled. “You’re fine. In fact, you’re a lot better than a lot of other people. A lot of the time, they don’t think to ask me what I feel, or care what I think like you did, they just want me as they see me, without any input from me.”

“Oh” Yusuke said. “That sounds difficult.”

“Yeah” Ann said. She smiled. “However, after finding people like you all, I finally feel better and more confident about what I want, and putting a voice to that confidence.”

“Way to go Ann” Jose said.

Yusuke looked at Jose. “So, what about you?”

Jose smiled. “Well, I don’t really have much.”

Morgana joined in. “Yeah, Jose and I are kind of in the same boat.”

“How come?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, Mr. Morgana and I aren’t originally from this world” Jose explained.

“Right…” Yusuke said. “I remember now. You did explain that.”

“I’m here as an assistant to Ren, and Jose was exploring Mementos until some shadows raided him” Morgana reiterated.

“So, we’re both looking at humanity from the outside in,” Jose continued. “I’ve been tasked with learning about humans, and the Phantom Thieves have been helping me.”

I see” Yusuke said. “Hm. Delightful.”

“Huh?” Ann asked.

‘Forgive me,” Yusuke continued. “I was being selfish. At the first sign of trouble with dorm life, I intended to turn tail and run. But hearing your stories made me change my mind. I felt so alone in my torment from Madarame that I forgot other people have hardships too. So, to follow your example, I need to face things head on, instead of running from them. Besides, I doubt the dorms will be as bad as Madarame.”

“Yusuke…” Ann said.

Ren smiled and clapped. Everyone who could clapped too. “Great job Yusuke.”

“Huh?” Yusuke said, confused.

“You’re taking your first step into the real world. I know it can be hard, but we’ll be with you every step of the way” Ren continued.

Yusuke was stunned, then smiled. “I see. Thank you.” The group continued eating.

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 4

They spent some more time together, but pretty much once the pot was empty, everyone started heading home.

As Ren was just getting ready for bed, Ann messaged her.

Ann: Hey.

Ann: I know I’m not the one who determines these things,

Ann: but I remember at our last celebration you told Ryuji, Morgana, and I that you were a lesbian.

Ann: Why not this time?

Ren smiled and blushed ever so slightly.

Ren: It’s not that I don’t want to.

Ren: There’s just another compilation.

Ann: Complication?

Ann: What do you mean?

Ren: ...Sumire…

There was a minute of no response.

Ann: Oh. OH. Huh.

Ann: Well, I hope you can tell her one day.

Ren: I hope so too.

Ren: I’m just...very afraid.

Ann: I don’t think she’d hate you or anything.

Ren: Right.

Ren: Still…

Ann: Yeah, I doubt any of this is easy.

Ann: But you know I’m always there for you.

Ren: Yeah. Thanks.

Ann: Any time.

Ren smiled, put her phone down, and fell asleep.

The next morning, she got up, and headed downstairs for breakfast when she noticed something new. The original “Sayuri”, the one they stole from Madarame’s palace, hanging up in Leblanc. “You like?” Sojiro said. “That Yusuke boy came by this morning and asked if he could hang it up here. I asked him if he really wanted to. He seemed dead set on the idea. Honestly, that kid marches to the beat of his own drum. But then again, look who I’m talking to.”

“I see,” Ren said. She smiled.

“He also gave me this message for you,” Sojiro said, handing her a piece of paper.

Ren took it and began reading. “Ren, Thank you for yesterday. It really helped me put things into perspective. I wish to continue serving the Phantom Thieves, and yesterday really gave me the chance to truly understand what that means. I will not run away or back down. I will face these challenges head on.

As for the painting, the legacy of the ‘Sayuri’ is pretty much tainted. However, it is such a beautiful and masterful piece of art on its own that I cannot let it go to waste. It then hit me: You and the ‘Sayuri’ are similar in this way. You’ve both lost your place to belong. So I decided to emulate you and place it here, so that it can gain a new home, and hopefully a new purpose. I hope you and the Boss take good care of it. -Yusuke”

As Ren read it, she wiped a tear forming in her eyes. “Thank you. I needed that perspective too.” Sojiro just looked on, smiled, and whipped her up a cup of coffee.

Meanwhile, Yusuke was looking at the picture he had taken of the “Sayuri” in Leblanc. He eventually decided to send it to Kosuke. When Kosuke got it, he smiled and said “Right where it belongs.”

Notes:

And thus we've reached the formal end of the Madarame arc, although there is a bit of overlap between it and the Kaneshiro arc, depending on how you look at it. I really liked writing this chapter too, and you can tell by how quickly it came out. It's just a good reminder of where the characters are vs where they started. This just felt good, you know. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 51: A Nudge in The Right Direction

Notes:

I notice a fair amount of my chapters begin with "A". I really only noticed it when it happened four times in a row. I don't know if I have an issue with it or not though. The titles fit the theme or idea I'm going for. But if you have a problm, don't hesitate to say anything.

Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After breakfast, Ren decided to head over to the medical office of Dr. Takemi. Once she arrived, she said “Hey doc.”

Takemi looked up. “Oh ho, it’s been a while. I was beginning to think you were afraid of me.

“Nah, I know you don’t bite,” Ren said. “I’ve just been kind of busy.”

“Well, you seem productive,” Takemi said. “But actually your break was productive for me as well. I had some time, so I began processing the results of our tests.”

“Really?” Ren said. “And how’s that going?”

“Hm,” Takemi laughed. “It’s going exceptionally well. I think with a few more tests, this thing could be fully functional.”

“Splendid,” Ren said.

“Excuse me?” a man said, walking up. With him was his wife and their child, a young girl who looked under the weather to say the least. “Is this a medical facility?”

“Um, yes…” Takemi said, surprised by this development.

“We need some help,” the man continued.

“Our daughter is sick, and the treatment we’ve been given isn’t working” the mother informed her.

“I see…” Takemi said.

“Can you help?” the father asked.

Takemi was silent. Ren could tell she wasn’t entirely sure of herself, so she did what any friend would do; hype them up. “Of course. Dr. Takemi doesn’t have this medical facility for nothing. She’s an expert.”

The parents and Takemi looked at Ren. The parents looked at Takemi. “You’re in charge here.”

Takemi looked back at them. “Yes,” she said. She caught up to the situation and gained her confidence back. “Let’s see what we’re dealing with. Come in.” Everyone started to move except Ren. Takemi noticed this. “You too.”

“Her?” the dad said, surprised.

“She’s my assistant,” Takemi informed him.

“Well, OK then,” the father said. Ren shrugged and walked in.

Takemi was doing a check up on the symptoms her parents described. “Hmmmm.”

“We’ve been trying the medicine for over a month, but it doesn’t seem to work.” the mother said. “When we tried explaining as such to our normal doctor, he just brushed us off.”

Takemi finished her check up. “I see. Well, either this guy is either pretty stupid, or has an ego the size of Tokyo.” She went to her desk to write out a prescription. “Does she have any allergies I should know about?” Her parents shook her head. Takemi finished filling it out. “Well then, here. Her symptoms lineup with a few different diseases, but there are subtle differences, and I feel like they just got it wrong. If this medicine doesn’t see an improvement in  her condition in a week, come see me again.”

The father took it, looked up to her, and said “Thank you. How much do we owe you?”

“10,000 yen,” Takemi said.

“What?” the father said.

Ren tried to cool things down. “That’s a joke. She does that from time to time.”

“I mean, it’s fine, we’ll pay it…” the mother said.

Takemi looked at all of them. “Tell me, the facility you went to before, was the head doctor there a man by the name of Oyamada?”

“Um, yes” the father said.

Takemi smiled. “Then consider today on the house.” Everyone was shocked. “That one was not a joke.”

The girls’ parents were still stunned, but they nodded, and the father said “Thank you.” They left to go get the medicine. Takemi sighed a sigh of relief.

“So, how does it feel?” Ren asked, smiling all the while. “Being a doctor in situations like this?”

Takemi smied. “While I didn’t like getting jumped into it,” she gave Ren some side-eye, “I will say, it is a rather nice feeling. While I get patients here, nothing like that really happens all too much.”

She glanced off. “To be honest, I thought I’d lost my touch. I was worried about what would happen if I did something wrong. I guess I still am, but the difference is I took action once you pushed me. Besides, I’m certain I figured the problem out. Not to mention I got to stick it to Oyamada. That’s always good.” Ren seemed a bit confused, but didn't worry too much. “So, despite the manner in which you did so, thanks for supporting me. I mean, I did call you in there for a reason.”

Ren was a little worried she’d get more of a reprimand than that. She smiled and said “Thanks.”

“By the way, we still have your test to do,” Takemi said. “Are you ready?” Ren felt a little sheepish, but nodded, and they ran the test as usual. Once Ren woke up, Takemi noted “Faster than usual. That either means the medicine is improving, or you’ve changed dramatically recently.”

“Well, I've been in Tokyo for a full two months now,” Ren said, not missing a beat. “The city certainly changes people.”

Takemi got a laugh out of that. “I mean physically, but I do like hearing about that. I take it you’re doing well.”

Ren nodded. “And part of it is thanks to your medicine.”

“Hm. Well that’s good to hear” Takemi said.

“Speaking of…” Ren said. She took the time to buy some. She bought more than she usually would as a sort of apology for forcing Takemi’s hand earlier.

“Well thank you” Takemi said after the transaction. Ren nodded. She flashed a very genuine smile. “You know, it’s nice to have a friend like you.” Ren smiled back.

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 4

Ren left for the evening.

As she was leaving, she got a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: I’m having another speech tonight. Care to join me.

Ren smiled.

Ren: Sure.

She headed off to Station Square to meet up with Yoshida. Once she did, Yoshida greeted her. “Ah, Amamiya-chan. Might I say that was quite a spectacle on TV.” Rn groaned. “Did I do something wrong?”

“No,” Ren said. “I’m just not used to that much attention.”

“I see,” Yoshida said. “Well, if you aim to be a politician, that can’t be avoided. People will always be watching you because you’re supposed to be a reflection of the people who elected you.”

“I’ll keep that in mind,” Ren said.

“Well, it’s about time,” Yoshida said. “Shall we get going?” Ren nodded. “Oh, before we go, I do have a question.” Ren was curious. “I could avoid it, but I did write this speech based around the interview, and there’s even a part where I point you out. Would you like me to take it out?”

Ren looked at him and shook her head. “It’s fine. People are already talking about it, and I trust you more than most people to handle things well.”

“Why thank you” Yoshida said, smiling ear to ear. “Now let’s go.”

Ren picked up the card she would be holding. “‘Tonight’s Topic: What We Can Learn from Today’s Youth’.” Ren smiled, picked up the card, and headed over.

Yoshida took his place, Ren took hers, and a crowd started to gather. Ren noticed some people from last time she was here, but also noticed some new faces. “People of Tokyo!” Yoshida began. “As you may know, the Phantom Thieves struck again, this time at the heart of the art world. Of course I was surprised by this as well. But one thing the two incidents have in common is that both perpetrators have abused children.

Society goes on and on about how we should think of the children, but are we really thinking? Or are we pretending to think about them when really we’re thinking of ourselves? Recent data shows that only 12% of people throughout Japan believe and admire the Phantom Thieves, with the plurality of that being children and young adults.

Of course, generational divides exist, and of course, with age comes wisdom, but as adults, we cannot ignore everything these children say just because it doesn’t agree with our point of view. Children have opinions and ideas. To ignore them would be to discourage them from thinking at all. Why, just recently my assistant here debated another student about the Phantom Thieves.”

The crowd was more alert as they turned to Ren to confirm it was her. Ren was feeling the heat just a little too intently and began hiding behind the card she was holding. “Ahem!” Yoshida exclaimed, getting everyone’s attention back on him. “This makes it very clear that children have ideas they wish to express. And the popularity of the interview suggests that people are willing to listen. But we can’t make that a sometimes thing. We need to learn to listen whenever we can. I know that they can’t vote, but that doesn’t mean that if I’m elected, I’m representing them less.

I will listen to everyone’s concerns, no matter who brings them to me. I am running to represent all of you. To be that reflection of you all. And I wish that I would be a reflection you are proud to wake up to in the morning, and proud to see before you go to sleep. Thank you.” There was a little bit of clapping.

After the speech, Ren and Yoshida met up. “Sorry about that,” Yoshida said.

“No, it’s fine. I said it was alright” Ren said, clearly exhausted.

“Well, neither of us expected that much attention to shift towards you,”Yoshida responded.

Ren gathered herself. “By the way, that was an excellent speech.”

“Ah ha, thank you,” Yoshida said. “And as I said earlier, you did well yourself. Especially against someone like Akechi.”

Ren was a bit stunned. “You know Akechi?”

“Well, not personally,” Yoshida said. “But his reputation as Japan’s second Detective Prince precedes him. He’s apparently solved quite a few cases the police were stumped by.”

“I see…” Ren said, going into some thought. “Switching topics…” Yoshida looked at her, curious. “Well, I know you said kids have their own thoughts, and you used mine and Akechi’s debate as evidence, but…I don’t know if that’s more the majority, or just a vocal minority.”

“Bah ha!” Yoshida laughed. “I can see why you’d think that. But let me ask you this: Do you think every adult is as driven to stand for something?” Ren was surprised. “Exactly. So why should a concern be ignored just because it comes from a child? It shouldn’t.”

“Right. Sorry” Ren said.

“It’s fine,” Yoshida said. “As much as you know, there are some things you only learn through experience. But even so, you’re something special.”

Ren was surprised. “I am?”

Yoshida nodded. “While you might not have as much experience, you’re strong-willed, and have a good heart. That alone will take you a long way, no matter where you go. And also, you’ve helped me too.” Ren was shocked.

Yoshida continued. “Before you began helping me, I would make my speeches, and I would try to get the crowd stirred, but there was always a voice in the back of my mind saying that I’ll never earn the people’s trust. But you have proven me wrong, and I feel that makes me a better politician. Not just promising results, but seeing that people listen. So thank you, for helping me find my footing.”

Ren smiled. “Thank you. For helping me find mine too.” Yoshida’s smile widened. Ren’s did as well.

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 2

After their meeting, they headed home.

Notes:

Man, am I glad SMT wiki has the P5 calendar in it. Otherwise I'd have no clue what to put when. This chapter exists because there is a Sunday between the Hot Pot celebration and the beginning, or at least intensifying, of the Kaneshiro arc, and without the calendar, I might have gone ahead with that. But I'm glad I can break up big plot stuff with the confidants. That's one of my favorite things about the Persona games, the balance between school life and big plot involving another world parallel to ours. It is something interesting to see.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed.

Chapter 52: Countdown to Chaos

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday morning, and the bulletin boards across school are dotted with flyers that read “If you have any information on anything illicit, do not hesitate to contact the student council.” Makoto walked up to see this and was surprised. “Wh-What?!” The surrounding students looked at her. “Uh…Yes. The student council will hear your concerns. But right now, I have another thing I need to attend to. Please feel free to talk to anyone else though.” Makoto rushed off.

She burst into Kobayakawa’s office. “Ah, Niijima-san.”

“What is the meaning of those flyers?!” Makoto demanded.

“Ah, you’ve noticed?” Kobayakawa said.

“It’s hard not to,” Makoto retorted.

“Well, I just figured if you’re having trouble finding these Phantom Thieves, I might help grease the wheels on the investigation” Kobayakawa answered.

Makoto gave him a confused look. “You know this will not do anything for the investigation, right?”

“What are you talking about?” Kobayakawa asked, starting to sweat a little.

“Well, if I haven’t figured out who the Phantom Thieves are yet, assuming they even ARE students of this school, what makes you think someone else might have?” Makoto inquired.

Kobayakawa shrugged. “Luck, I guess.”

“I see,” Makoto continued. “Well, even if someone else did, I would like to inform you that there are a lot of students here who are pro-Phantom Thieves. If they figured it out somehow, there’s no reason why they would tell us.”

“That’s absurd!” Kobayakawa shouted, slamming his fist. “The Phantom Thieves are criminals, and need to be locked up!”

Makoto was stunned by this intense response. “Why are you so worked up about this? What did the Phantom Thieves do to you?”

“They sullied the prestige of the school,” Kobayakawa answered.

“...By exposing one of the teachers as an abusive piece of shit?” Makoto pressed. Kobayakawa said nothing. “Your silence speaks volumes, Mr. Kobayakawa.” She sighed. “Well as much as I would like to continue this conversation, because of you I have a mess to deal with. Not to mention, you know, actually going to classes, which would slow down me investigating the Phantom Thieves no matter what. But thank you for all this new work, and thank you for showing me your true colors.” Makoto sternly walked out. Kobayakawa glared at her, and once she left, the empty space where she stood.

Meanwhile, before class started, Ryuji was sitting at his desk. Hiroki walked up to him. “Hey” he said, announcing his presence.

“Oh, hey” Ryuji said, a bit confused. “Did we switch seats or somethin’?”

Hiroki laughed. “No, this is something else. So, I don’t know how much you know, but the student council has been conducting interviews.”

“Right, I heard about that,” Ryuji said.

Hiroki nodded. “Well, due to those flyers that had been posted, and the feedback we’ve been getting already, I’m just here to inform you that we’re going to postpone your interview for now, OK?”

“OK” Ryuji said. He thought on it for a moment. “Wait, you’re in the student council?”

Hiroki nodded again. “Don’t worry, I’m not an extreme stickler, so you’re fine texting in class still. But I would worry about your grades a bit too. And if you do something too rambunctious and get caught, I can’t save you either.”

“...Thanks?” replied Ryuji. Hiroki smiled and took his seat. “Huh.”

In the middle of one of the morning classes, Ryuji took out his phone to text people during class. 

Ryuji: Hey, Shujin Thieves. Should we meet up at lunch?

Ann: About what?

Ryuji: Those flyers that got put up.

Ren: You mean the ones where they encourage people to report “illicit activity” to the student council?

Yusuke: I don’t know what this all is, but it sounds fishy.

Ryuji: Why are you here?

Yusuke: You message the group.

Jose: Hey.

Ryuji: …

Sumire: You did message the group, Ryuji.

Jose: I think it would be worth discussing.

Ryuji: Right. So, lunch then?

Ann: Sure.

Sumire: Sounds good to me.

Ren: OK. Lunch it is.

Ryuji: Cool. So, where?

Ann: The roof is off limits.

Sumire: How about that table outside by the vending machines.

Sumire: That way we can still eat lunch.

Ren: I like the sound of that.

RyujI: OK. Seeya then!

They put their phones away.

When lunch came, Ryuji was heading out when Hiroki approached him. “Hey. You meeting with who you were texting earlier?” Ryuji looked at him dumbfounded. “I told you I knew.”

Ryuji looked at him. “Why do you care?”

“Eh, I just wanted to know,” Hiroki said. “You could have texted now, by the way.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t like wasting time,” Ryuji said.

“Hm. Well, suit yourself” Hiroki said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some student council business to attend to.” He walked off.

“...Weird…” Ryuji muttered. He walked off to his destination as well. Once he arrived to see everyone else eating. “‘Sup?”

Sumire seemed confused. “Don’t you wanna grab something to eat too?”

“Eh, I don’t think this’ll take all of lunch,” Ryuji responded.

Sumire shrugged. “Well, suit yourself.”

“Why is everyone saying that to me?” Ryuji wondered.

“What?” Ann asked.

“Nevermind,” Ryuji said. “So, those flyers.”

Ren swallowed the food she was chewing on. “Right. Do we think that this is about the Kamoshida interviews?” Ren asked.

“I don’t know,” Ann replied. “The student council has been fairly active recently though.”

Ren nodded. “I’m wondering if they’re looking into something else.”

“Like what?” Ryuji asked. Ren gave him an icy stare. “Oh. Yeah.”

Ren rolled her eyes. “So why would the student council be doing this?”

“Well, I’m not sure,” Sumire said. “Hagiwara seemed set on figuring out the Kamoshida thing.”

“Yeah, this might not be the entire student council,” Ryuji added. “This guy in my class who’s a member of the student council said they had to postpone my interview about Kamoshida because they were getting so busy.”

The three girls and Morgana looked at him, taking in this revelation. “Um, this guy” Ren began to inquire. “Did he have shaggy orange hair, purple glasses, and a weirdly chill demeanor?”

“Um, yeah” Ryuji answered. “You know him?”

“He’s the one who interviewed us,” Ann informed him. “So, if this isn’t the whole student council, then is it just Niijima?”

“She is in charge after all,” Ryuji stated.

“But why?” Ren asked.

“Who knows?” Ann said. “Maybe the principal put her up to it and she can’t say no.”

“I dunno,” Sumire said. “I don’t want to believe it, but…”

“Yeah, it’s starting to sound like that,” Ren said.

“Then maybe that whole frickin’ Kamoshida interview thing is fake too,” Ryuji flippantly said. “I mean, what did she do about it? Nothin’! Meanwhile, we busted our asses as the Phantom Thieves to get him to confess!”

“RYUJI!” Ann yelled. “Not so loud.”

“Right. Sorry. I just got heated” Ryuji said.

“Almost got us caught,” Morgana snarked.

Ann sighed. “But yeah, you have a point. If she’s just eating out of the principal’s hand, then she’d be looking for us.”

“I think we just gotta lay low for a while,” Morgana said.

“Ugh” Ryuji groaned. “And I wanted to find someone right away to prove that Akechi guy wrong.”

Ren sighed. “Yeah, but at least this means someone’s not waging a personal crusade on someone to kill them.”

“True. There’s a silver lining in everything” Ann said.

“Hmmm. I guess there’s not much we can do” Sumire said. “Maybe once the apparent intel dump on the student council eases up, we might have a better chance.”

Morgana smiled. “Sumire’s right. Once we have a better understanding of things, then we can make our move.”

“In the meantime, just play it cool,” Ren reminded them. She glanced at Ryuji.

Ryuji seemed incensed. “What’s that fo- Yeah, I can’t even pretend I’m not the most likely one to lose their cool. But I’ll try. For the Phantom Thieves.”

“You just did it again,” Morgana moaned.

“Oh, right, sorry” Ryuji said. “But it’s just us, so we’re fine here.”

“Um, if that’s it, don’t you want to grab something to eat?” Sumire wondered.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. “Oh yeah. Be right back!”

Ryuji ran off to get some food. He was so preoccupied with getting food, he didn’t notice Makoto was hiding around the corner recording the conversation. She sighed. She looked at her phone. “Well, I can’t blame them for thinking like that” she whispered to herself, reflecting on some of the remarks that got to her personally. She sighed again and walked off. “Let’s see who else wants to talk.” She headed back to the student council room.

Once she got there, the members were all gathered. “We keep getting complaints about these gangsters harassing our students,” Hiroki said.

“Yeah” Hagiwara joined in. “It’s the thing everyone has asked us about. What do we do?”

Makoto held steady. She knew this, as she was getting concerns about these gangsters left and right herself. She sighed and said “Make a set of flyers of our own that tell people we hear them and we are looking into it.”

“Wait, we didn’t make the flyers?” Hiroki asked.

Makoto shook her head. “That was Principal Kobayakawa’s doing.”

“So, how are we looking into this?” Hagiwara asked.

“I have a few ideas, but they’re going to require some outside help,” Makoto answered. “In the meantime, start looking into anything you can. We’ve gotten a lot of people talking about this, we should have something to work off of.”

“Yes ma’am!” the members chanted in unison. They all left to begin looking into whatever they could.

“Ugh. Today’s not going well” Makoto said.

After school, Ann went to hang out with Shiho, Sumire went to gymnastics practice, Ryuji went to do some errands for his mom, and Ren messaged Yusuke and Jose about what they talked about and headed to one of her jobs. Meanwhile, Makoto headed to a different school.

She entered the building. She was getting some stares, but she ignored this, as she was looking for someone in particular. Fortunately for her, he found her. “Ah, Makoto-san,” Akechi said.

Makoto turned to him. “Akechi-san. Just the person I wanted to see.”

Akechi seemed confused. “Did you need to get an urgent message to your sister?”

Makoto shook her head. “I’m here to see you.”

“Huh. OK” Akechi said. “What’s this about?”

Makoto pondered what she should ask about first. “Do you mind talking about your interview?” she asked.

“Not at all,” Akechi said. “I’m assuming you have similar curiosities as your sister.”

“Also, the girl you talked to goes to my school,” Makoto said. “As student council president, I want to make sure there’s no bad blood.”

“Ah, right,” Akechi said. “Well, I’m delighted to inform you that after the shoot, we had a chat and became good acquaintances.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “So, you don’t trust the Phantom Thieves?”

“Ah, there it is,” Akechi said. “Well, to be honest, it’s a little more complicated than that.”

“Right” Makoto nodded. “So, what would make you change your mind?”

“Hmmmm” Akechi wondered. “Well, the face-to-face meeting Amamiya-chan suggested would do it for me.” Makoto seemed a little frustrated. “But, if you’re looking for an answer for most other people, I’d think taking down a known criminal would probably put them in some people’s good graces. But I assume doing so is easier said than done.”

“Which brings me to the meat of the matter,” Makoto said. Akechi seemed surprised. “Recently, we’ve been receiving complaints about some gangsters harassing our students. Would you happen to know anything about that?”

“Ah, you’re quite clever,” Akechi shot back. “Though I wouldn’t expect anything less from Sae’s younger sister.” Makoto glared at him and groaned. “To be honest, we’ve been having problems like that too. Although these gangsters have been doing a good job of avoiding detection in the usual ways. But maybe an attack on multiple fronts would help out.”

Makoto thought about this. “Still, something feels off.”

“How come?” Akechi asked.

Makoto looked at him. “Well…” she sighed. “The truth is that the Phantom Thieves contacted me saying that they’d be willing to help us out with this”

“They have?” Akechi said. “May I see their message?”

“They managed to get rid of it before I could save it,” Makoto said. “Besides, you wouldn’t learn much anyways.”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“But asking them to change the heart of gangster after gangster is a lot,” Makoto said. Akechi chuckled. “What’s that for?”

“My apologies,” Akechi said. “I thought you would have figured this out by now. But I guess you are only Sae’s sister.” Makoto groaned again. “Let’s think about this. If this is a recurring problem, with the criminals in question hiding their tracks well, then it’s safe to say there’s an operation going.”

“Uh huh” Makoto said, still bitter about Akechi’s blunt remarks.

“Well, if there's an operation going, then it’s not just some random gangsters,” Akechi said. “There has to be someone at the top. I feel like if you find the head of the operation, then you could sick the Phantom Thieves on them and prove their justice to the world.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“But I’ll still be worried about them,” Akechi noted. “But that’s just me.”

“Uh huh” Makoto said. “Well, thank you for your time.”

“Of course. It’s always a pleasure to talk to someone such as yourself” Akechi said. He checked the time. “Oh dear, I have to get going.” He started walking. “Ah. They are airing my interview again, if you want to think about it some more.” Makoto nodded and Akechi walked off. Makoto left soon after.

That evening, Makoto was at home eating dinner. Sae was there as well, a rarity these days. Despite that, Sae was still focused on her work. Just as Makoto was told, Akechi’s interview aired again. She began watching it. When Ren started talking, she heard something new. She slowly looked over at her sister. “Hey sis?”

“Hm,” Sae said, looking up. “What’s up?”

“I was just thinking…” Makoto said. “Do you think dad would support the Phantom Thieves? You know, if he were still here.”

Sae slammed the table. “Why are you asking such a childish question? Do you really believe the justice they proclaim? Pah. I’d thought you were smarter than that. You can’t trust a criminal’s intentions when they tell you. They might be behind these mental shutdowns, and just because they caught some high profile criminals, you want to believe they’re good?

‘What would dad think?’ Why should I care. He died upholding some sense of justice that this world isn’t looking to invest in. And the only reason you can think about these things is because I’m working my butt off day in and day out to provide you shelter, food, and education. You’re nothing but a burden!”

Makoto’s face went pale. “Oh… Sorry…”

Sae’s went just as pale when she realized what she’d done. She sighed. “No, I’m sorry. I’m just stressed. They’re practically eating me alive for information. I think I’m going to go to bed early tonight.” Sae got up and went to her room. Makoto turned and started watching the interview again, still feeling emotionally bruised from all of the harsh words from everyone around her today.

Meanwhile, Ren was eating alone in Leblanc. Morgana had gone out to walk around, and Sojiro closed up for the night. The last customer left the TV on, and it started playing the interview. Ren moved to turn it off, but before she could, she was interrupted. “Wait!” Ren looked to see Eris sitting across from her. “Don’t turn it off. I like this interview.”

Ren sighed. “I bet you would.”

“Why wouldn’t I?” Eris asked. “I love stirring chaos, and you do just that here.”

“What do you want?” Ren asked.

“I just wanted to check in with you,” Eris said. “I mean, you did just shut down your second palace. How are you feeling? Are you ready to come to my side yet?” Ren shook her head. “I could have figured, but there’s no harm in asking.”

“Why are you so dead set on me joining you anyways?” Ren asked. “Isn’t there someone else you could continually harass?”

Eris chuckled. “There are. But when I’ve done so, you stop them. If I get you and your friends, there’ll be no stopping us.”

“I can’t deny that” Ren relented.

Eris looked at the interview again. “You’ve heard what that boy said. He’s afraid of your power. Yet you only use it for good. Why not teach him a lesson?”

Ren shrugged. “He’s free to feel what he feels. You should be for that. After all, if I forced everyone to think the same way, that’s order, not chaos.” Eris grunted. “Mind if I ask you some questions.”

“Go ahead,” Eris said. “I’m an open book.”

“Hm” Ren chuckled. “First, why do the people you give powers to throw up once we defeat them, while the people who lose their palaces just go into shock.”

“Oh, THAT’S easy” Eris said. “The palaces are formed from warped desires. That shock comes from the realization of that. Meanwhile, my projects throwing up once they’ve failed is them rejecting my influence. I give them powers in order to fight the warped desires, but they give it up once you defeat them.”

“What’s the point in warping them if you can just do it?” Ren asked.

“Heh heh. The point is I’m a supernatural being” Eris answered. “If I do it, humanity would unite against me. If another human does it, they’ll divide themselves. It’s people that I want falling into chaos. I’m already there.”

Ren continued, unphased. “So, what’s the specific purpose of your power. Why do you need to give them something? Why not just unleash them on their own?”

Eris laughed very loudly. “Silly girl. I need to give them the power to warp their desires. That way, they take over the palace. Think about it. The desires of the people I give powers to aren’t warped. Being respected. Protecting the people they care about. Not getting hurt. None of that is unreasonable.

They can’t attack a warped desire with things that are common decency. So I have to lure them in and warp their desires for them. That way, they’ll find their strength, and unleash their chaos onto the person giving it to them.”

Ren was in a cold sweat hearing that description. She knew that Eris’s victims were also victims of the palace rulers, but this put things into a whole new perspective. Still, she carried on. “It appears we, as the Phantom Thieves, might have to lay low for a while. However, we will ignore that if you’re threatening someone’s life. So, have you corrupted anyone yet?”

“Hm. No” Eris put bluntly. “But there is stuff happening even as we speak. Events are conspiring to bring your attention to another palace. And when the time is right, I will seek the help of another. You’re safe for now, but soon things will come knocking at your door, and you can’t help but look away.”

“Well, at least they’ll knock,” Ren said. “Unlike you who just appears.”

Eris giggled. “You’re so witty. It’s a shame we aren’t on the same team. Yet.”

“And we never will be,” Ren chided.

“HA!” laughed Eris. “Rest assured, I’m not giving up.”

“Neither am I” Ren retorted.

Hunger-Eris: 3

Once the interview ended, Eris faced away. Ren changed the channel to something more relaxing and finished eating. Once she finished, she let Morgana back in, went upstairs, and went to bed.

 

Notes:

There was a lot more that needed to go into this chapter than I thought. But the ball is starting to roll for the Kaneshiro arc. This chapter was just putting the pieces in place to get what we need to start going. I also thought it would be a good time for another meeting with Eris.

In all honesty, the Kaneshiro arc is one I'm very excited about. And as we get closer, I'm finding new reasons to get excited. I hope you're excited too.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 53: Blackmail

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Makoto was called into Principal Kobayakawa’s office. “You wanted to see me sir?”

“Ah, Niijima-san,” Kobayakawa said. “I just wanted to apologize for yesterday.”

“Apologize?” Makoto wondered.

“Yes,” Kobayakawa insisted. “I got a little too heated, and I feel the need to clear the air.”

“I see,” Makoto responded, wondering what this conversation was going to turn into.

“Of course you know I want nothing but the best for these students,” Kobayakawa siad. “I didn’t mean to insinuate that I dislike the Phantom Thieves because they exposed Mr. Kamoshida. I’m just worried. They might think that honest, hard-working people, such as myself, might be a target for their changes of heart. All because I didn’t know about the heinous actions being taken by Mr. Kamoshida. And if they think I might be an acceptable target, who knows who else might fall under that?”

“I see,” Makoto said. “So, your worry is similar to that of Akechi-san’s, right?’

“Why yes,” Kobayakawa said. “That boy sure is smart.”

“Smart enough not to go to school here, apparently” Makoto whispered under her breath.

“Did you say something?” Kobayakawa said.

“Oh” Makoto said, a little embarrassed. She decided to play it off. “It’s nothing. Akechi-san just works with my sister a lot. I feel like I’m a bit jealous because he gets to see her more than I do these days.”

“Why, that’s nothing to feel ashamed about,” Kobayakawa informed her. “I’m sure you’ll be just as successful as your sister once I write you that letter.”

“Oh, right…” Makoto said.

“So, I’m sorry I put all that pressure on you,” Kobayakawa apologized.

“But you still want me to find the Phantom Thieves?” Makoto asked.

Kobayakawa nodded. “I understand, go at your own pace, but I would appreciate it. And so will you.”

“Hm. Thank you” Makoto said. She walked out.

“I knew she’d see it my way,” Kobayakawa said, once he was alone.

Makoto, outside of the office, sighed. “I used to think you were that honest, hard-working person you claim to be. I kind of wish you still were…” She walked off to class.

At lunch, the Phantom Thieves group chat went off again.

Ryuji: Yo. I was just thinking.

Ryuji: While we might be able to look for a new big target, we could do some Mementos missions if we have any.

Yusuke: Isn’t that the opposite of laying low?

Ren: We might as well.

Ren: I wanted to meet up today anyway.

Sumire: Why’s that?

Ren: Something happened last night, and I wanted to talk about that.

Yusuke: Very well then.

Yusuke: The usual place?

Ann: Yeah.

Jose: OK.

Jose: See you after school.

They put their phones away and turned their attention back to class.

After school, Ren and Ann were heading out when Ann’s phone rang. “Oh, sorry. That’s my agent, I gotta take this quick. You go on ahead, I’ll meet you all there.” Ren nodded as Ann walked off to take the call.

Before Ren could continue walking, she came face to face with Makoto. “Ah. Nice to see you, Amamiya-chan.”

Ren was caught a bit off guard. “Likewise” she responded.

“If you don’t mind, I would like to talk with you, is that OK?” Makoto asked.

“Uh, sure” Ren said, feeling unsure about what was happening. “I was going to meet up with some friends. Mind if I tell them I’m going to be a bit late?”

“That’s OK,” Makoto said.

Ren got out her phone and sent the message. “OK.”

“Great. Now, if you don’t mind, could you follow me to the student council room?” Makoto asked.

“OK” Ren said again, still a tad nervous. The two started heading to the student council room.

Morgana opened the bag just a crack. “You don’t think she’s onto us, do you?” he whispered.

“Well, she might be if she hears you” Ren whispered back.

“All she’d hear would be meowing,” Morgana said.

“That’s also a problem!” Ren fired back.

“Are you alright?” Makoto asked.

Ren seemed a little flustered. “Fine.” Makoto seemed curious, but decided to not push it right now. She nodded and continued on. Ren sighed and continued following her. Once the two of them entered the student council office, they sat down across from each other. “Is it just you today?”

“Yes,” Makoto answered.

“You...know I already talked to someone about Mr. Kamoshida, right?” Ren continued.

“Of course,” Makoto said. “I was the one that orchestrated all of that.”

“So, why am I here?” Ren asked.

Makoto kept calm. “I called you here because I want something, and I believe you can give it to me. You, and your friends.”

“Oh?” Ren said, matching her calm demeanor.”And what would that be?”

“Hm. I’d like you and your friends to change someone’s heart” Makoto requested.

“I see,” Ren replied.

“She DOES know,” Whispered Morgana.

Ren decided to not let that remark bother her. “Well, I know I did well on the show with Akechi, but I can’t be expected to be able to convince everyone of whatever you need. After all, I couldn’t even convince Akechi in the end.”

Makoto smiled. “Resilient to the end. I like that in a leader. I guess I have to say it to get you to move. I’m making a request to the Phantom Thieves to change someone’s heart.”

“Crap!” Morgana muttered.

“Well, there’s the Phan-site,” Ren pointed out. “You can use that.”

“Why would I?” Makoto asked. “I’m speaking to their leader right now.”

“That’s a big accusation” Ren stated. “What makes you think that?”

“Well, I could list off all the circumstantial evidence I have,” Makoto began, “but I’m willing to bet that one way or another, you’ll deny it or obfuscate. I’d do the same in your shoes.” She brought out her phone. “So, let’s go to the hard evidence.”

Makoto pressed play. On the phone Ryuji can be heard saying “we busted our asses as the Phantom Thieves to get him to confess!”

“Ryuji…” Morgana whined.

Ren’s face was beat red, and looking down. “So, I assume this is enough then?” Makoto asked.

Ren looked up, smiling. “How do I know that isn’t doctored?”

Just then, Ren’s phone rang. “It’s OK, you can answer it.”

Ren did, worried. Of course, Ryuji was on the other end, and of course he was loud. “Yo, Ann just got here. All we’re waiting on is for you, leader! C’mon! Let’s get to some Phantom Thieving!”

Ren looked defeated. “Are you going to tell me that was doctored too?” Makoto asked, shrewdly.

Ren sighed. “I’ll be over in a few. But there’s a bit of a change in plans. Also, next time we get ramen, you’re paying.”

“Huh? Why?” Ryuji asked.

“You’ll understand as soon as I get there,” Ren replied.

“Um, OK?” Ryuji said back, sensing something was a bit amiss. “...Well, seeya then.”

Ren hung up. “Ugh.”

Makoto chuckled. “Don’t worry, I know how hard it can be to lead something.”

“Thanks” Ren snarked back. She sighed. “Though I doubt you actually have any ill intent towards us.”

“How do you figure?” Makoto asked.

“Because you came to us,” Ren answered. “You could have turned us into the police or something with something like that.”

Makoto was blindsided by Ren's deductive reasoning. “Yes, well, I am my own person, with my own opinions at the end of the day.”

Ren nodded. “Well, we should get going. We don’t want them to wait for the surprise.”

Makoto laughed. “You’re more relaxed about all this than I thought you’d be.”

“Eh, it’s something I’ve gotten used to,” Ren admitted. The two of them headed out.

The rest of the thieves were waiting. “Where is she?” Ryuji wondered.

“Hey everyone” Ren said, slightly nervously.

“Oh Hey Reeeeeeeee…” Ryuji said, as the thieves looked up to see that Makoto was also with her. “What’s she doing here?”

“I don’t know Ryuji, what IS she doing here?” Ren snapped back.

Makoto took out her phone and pressed play again. “we busted our asses as the Phantom Thieves to get him to confess!”

The thieves were surprised. “Ryuji…” Ann said, exacerbated.

“Oh…” Ryuji said, feeling guilty.

“That’s why you’re paying for our next ramen outing,” Ren said. “And don’t think I’m going to go light.”

Ryuji’s face went pale. “I’m...sorry…”

“So what are you going to do?” Ann sniped. “Take this to the principal.”

“Um, why would she be talking to us if she was going to do that?” Sumire asked.

“Sumire brings up a good point,” Yusuke said.

“She wants us to change someone’s heart,” Ren explained.

“Oh…” Ann said, now a bit embarrassed.

“Well, we’re willing to help,” Jose said. “Do you know who?”

“A mob boss,” Makoto said succinctly. The thieves were shocked. “You can do it, can’t you?”

“Of course we can,” Ryuji fired back.

“How are you acting so high and mighty now?” Morgan wondered.

Before Ryuji could angrily retort to the cat that Makoto doesn’t know can talk, Ann said “We’re going to need some more information. Like a name for instance.”

“Oh” Makoto said, taken slightly aback. “Well, we’re not sure yet. Maybe you can help with the investigation?”

“What?!” Ryuji said.

“Need I remind you what I have recorded?” Makoto angrily replied.

“No!” Ryuji whimpered.

“We’ll gladly help,” Sumire said with a smile.

“Excellent,” Makoto said.

Ren turned to Makoto. “So, what information do you have so far?”

“Well, not a whole lot,” Makoto admitted. “But they’ve been scamming school kids left and right. Not just at our school either. But we’ve received multiple complaints, and as student council president, I would like to put a stop to this.”

“I see,” Ren said, impressed with her spirit. “Well, we’ll join this fight.”

“And if you’re successful, I won’t release this audio,” Makoto said.

“Hm. Sounds like we have a deal” Ren said.

“Quite” Makoto agreed.

“Now, uh, if you’d excuse us, we’d like to discuss this as a team” Ren said.

“Oh!” Makoto said, surprised. “Of course.” She bowed. “Have a good day.” She walked off. Once she was far enough away, she sighed. “I guess they don’t fully trust me yet…” She continued walking.

Once Makoto was fully gone, Ann smacked Ryuji across the head. “Ryuji!”

“Ow! Sorry!” Ryuji said.

“No, I should apologize,” Ren said. “I should have known something was up.”

“Come now, it’s no one's fault,” Yusuke said.

“Besides, if we change this guy’s heart, then everything will be OK” Jose chimed in.

Ann groaned. “I guess…”

Ryuji similarly groaned. “I’m sorry…” he muttered again.

“So then, what’s the game plan?” Sumire asked.

“Well, we’d have to figure out who this mob boss is,” Ren pointed out.

“Do you think anyone knows in Mementos?” Ryuji asked.

“Even if they did, I might advise against it,” Morgana said. “That Makoto person seems keen to keep an eye on us. If we were to go through Mementos, we might have to explain more than she already knows.”

“I guess you gotta point there” Ryuji sighed.

“Still, you shouldn’t underestimate what you can get from this world,” Jose said.

“Jose and I will ask around Kosei to see if anything has come up there,” Yusuke explained. Jose nodded.

“We can ask around Shujin,” Sumire added. “And I can see what I can get at practice.”

Ren looked at her bag. “You wanna see if you can get anything tonight Morgana?” Ren asked.

Morgana popped out fully. “Well, I guess there’s no harm in trying.

“Great, so it seems like we have a plan then,” Ryuji said. “I guess all that’s left is to execute it.”

“Wait!” Ann said. She turned to face Ren. “What happened last night?”

Ren was surprised. “Oh, right. I did say I wanted to discuss it.” She proceeded to explain her meeting.

“Woah!” Ann said.

“Grah!” Ryuji said. “Usin’ people like that. Pisses me off!”

“Why didn’t you tell me last night?” Morgana wondered.

“Well, I figured it was best for the group,” Ren answered.

“Why should we believe her when she says that she hasn’t corrupted anyone?” Ryuji asked.

Ren sighed. “I believe it because lying about this isn’t Eris’s style.”

“But she’s all about chaos, isn’t she?” Jose wondered.

“Yeah, but her brand of chaos is obvious,” Ren explained. “She wants people to see what she’s wrought. She’d tell me to watch me squirm as I couldn’t do anything rather than lie, because if the truth is chaotic enough, it might make me think about joining her team.”

“Yeah, I can see that,” Ann said.

“Still, it sounds as if Eris herself has the same resentment toward the people with palaces and such,” Yusuke noted.

“Yeah, I get that feeling too,” Ren said. “But she’s not doing all too good a job at endearing me to her side either. Her end goal might be similar to ours, we both want to expose the evils of society, but I cannot condone the way she’s doing it.”

“Well said,” Jose replied.

Sumire looked at her feet. Ren noticed this. “Sumire?”

“Huh?” she said, looking up. “Oh, sorry. It’s just… I’m wondering if I would have been someone Eris targeted… Or if I’d have a palace myself…”

“Sumire…” Ren said, gently.

“I was in a really bad place until recently,” Sumie said, tears starting to form. “Just the thought of one false move, and I’d be your enemy. I’d hate that.”

The thieves were stunned silent for a minute. “Hey” Ren said, walking over and lifting Sumire’s head up. “We’ve all had our share of bad days.”

“Yeah” Ann said. “And besides, who says we only fight people we dislike? I mean, I fought my best friend.”

“And I fought a fellow student, as well as someone I respected,” Yusuke added. “And once the battle was over, we respected each other again.”

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “Friends don’t have to agree on everything all the time. But if you’re still friends at the end of it, everything’ll be fine.”

“Even though I’m not all too well-versed with humanity yet, I can still see the power friends like these have” Jose said. “And as long as you have us, you don’t have to worry.”

“Yeah!” Morgana laughed. “If you need to talk to any of us, just let us know.”

Sumire smiled. “Thanks guys.” She wiped the tears from her eyes. “I guess I’m a little more nervous than I thought. I have a big gymnastics meet coming up, and I think it’s starting to get to me.”

“Really?” Ren said. “Are you up for it?”

Sumire giggled. “Coach thought the same thing. She said she could get me out of this one if I needed it.” Sumire grew determined. “But I feel like I'll be ready for it.”

“Well then, looks like we’re going to need to clear our schedules” Ren said.

“Huh?” Sumire said.

“If we’re going to cheer you on, we’ve gotta show up,” Ren said.

“Oh, um,” Sumire started getting flustered. “You don’t have to.”

“Nope. We’re not taking ‘no’ for an answer” Ann said.

“Yeah! If it’s important to you, it’s important to us” Ryuji said.

Sumire started crying again, this time with tears of joy. “Thank you everyone.” She checked her phone. “Goodness, it’s getting a bit late. We should get going soon.”

Ren chuckled. “Yeah, alright.” The thieves left their hideout and headed home for the evening. Just as Eris said, trouble came knocking, but they knew that together, they could overcome it.

Notes:

This chapter was supposed to cover a bit more, but there was a lot here already. I guess that just means more chapters at the end of the day. I can get fatigued if there's too much going on in one chapter, but sometimes it can't be helped. But this time, it could be helped. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 54: Steps-Forwards and Backwards

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Ren left for the train station the next morning, she looked at Morgana. “Did you find anything out?”

Morgana popped his head out. “I heard that there’s a mafia moving something that they’re using kids for, but not much more than that. The conversations I heard devolved into them thinking the kids are choosing this.”

“Hm” Ren huffed. “Well, once this mission is over, they’ll see the light.”

“Right,” Morgana agreed. They headed to school.

As Ren was entering, she heard “Amamiya-chan.” She turned to see Makoto. “In the heat of the moment, I forgot to ask. Could we by chance exchange numbers?” Ren looked at her confused. “If we’re going to be working on the same team, communication is key. So if either of us finds anything we should be able to relay it to the other posthaste.”

“I see,” Ren nodded. “Very well.” She got out her phone and they started to exchange numbers. “By the way, I did find something last night.”

“Really?” Makoto said, shocked.

Ren nodded. “Apparently, the gangsters are using the kids they pressure into moving something, but we aren’t sure what.”

“Oh. Interesting” Makoto said. “As luck would have it, I found something too. I was going to message you, but…” Ren giggled. “Anyways, apparently they’re telling people this is a part-time job worth a lot of money.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it,” Makoto said.

Ren smiled. “You know, you seem to be enjoying yourself.”

“Oh, uh, well, I guess it’s a family thing,” Makoto said.

“I see,” Ren said. She decided not to follow up on that just yet. “Well, take care.” She entered school. Makoto followed not too far behind her. Ren messaged everyone the information.

Once school was over, the thieves began their investigation. “Hey” Ann said, turning around to face Ren. “I’m going to ask about possible part time jobs, see if that works.” Ren smiled. The two got up. Ann looked around and found a student. “Hey! Nishiyama!” she said, approaching him. “I’m looking for a part-time job. You wouldn’t happen to know something that could work, would you?”

Nishiyama was a bit confused. “Aren’t you a model?”

“Well, yes,” Ann said, embarrassed. “But I’m kind of looking for something more, ya know?”

Nishiyama was still confused. Morgana popped out. “Lady Ann…”

“Was that a cat just now?” Nishyama asked.

“Er…” Morgana panicked.

“Oh, um, that’s right!” Ann said. “My cat, Mittens, is very sick.”

“She-she has another cat?” Morgana said, dejected.

“I’m not sure that’s real,” Ren whispered.

“I’ve heard rumors that there’s a pretty high-paying gig, but I don’t know where to look” Ann continued.

Nishiyama was now concerned. “What did Iida tell you?”

“Iida?” Ann wonders.

“Errrrrrrrrrrrr” Nishiyama stammered.

“Please! I’d do anything for Mittens!” Ann begged.

“Ummmmmmmmm” Nishiyama continued stuttering.

Ren was awestruck. “Well, that was fruitful.”

“Yeah, but we need to find this Iida guy straight away,” Morgana said. “I’m not sure how long Lady Ann can hold out.”

“Must...resist...hallucination cat guilt…” Nishiyama muttered.

This gave Ren an idea. “Hey Ann? Can you watch my stuff while I go use the bathroom?”

“Huh? Sure” Ann said.

“Thanks,” Ren said. She set her bag and Morgana down by Ann.

“What’s that for?” Morgana wondered.

“You heard him, right?” Ren replied. “Just keep saying things, and that’ll make Nishiyama think he’s guilt tripping. That might give Ann a bit more time.” Ren left.

Morgana was a bit peeved, but he sighed and said “For Lady Ann.”

When Ren was out in the hall, she saw Mishima. “Hey Mishma,” she said, walking up to him.

“Oh, hey” Mishima said. 

“Um, this might sound a bit odd…” Ren began.

“Ooooooh! Is this something for...ya know?” Mishima said, excited.

“Yeah,” Ren admitted. “You’ve heard about those gangsters harassing students?”

“Of course!” Mishima said.

“We’re working on dealing with them,” Ren said. “But right now, we’re doing some leg-work to figure things out. Do you know a guy by the name of Iida?”

“No way! Iida’s wrapped up in this?” Mishima said. “Uh, yeah. If he’s here, he’s probably in the library. Unless he’s with Nishiyama.”

Ren shook her head. “Nishiyama is still in the classroom.”

“I see,” Mishima said. “Well, good luck then.” Mishima headed out.

Ren went up to the library and began looking around. She found someone hiding in the back of the library. On a whim, she asked “Iida?”

“Gah!” he said. He sighed. “What do you want?”

Looks like I got it right. Ren thought. “Um, Nishiyama told me you might have some information about a part-time job?”

“WHAT?! What did he say?!” Iida said.

“Huh?” Ren questioned.

“I mean, er, forget it!” Iida said. “I’m not talking to you.” He turned his back to her.

Ren was confused, but left. “Well, that’s something at least.”

Ren returned to the classroom to see Ann barely holding out. “But...Mittens…”

“Lady Ann…” Morgana spoke softly.

Ren smiled. “Thanks for watching my stuff Ann.”

“Oh, yeah” Ann replied.

Ren looked at Nisiyama with a smile. “What do you want?” Nishiyama asked.

“Iida says you might know something…” Ren said.

Nishiyama was nervous. He sighed and said “Fine. I guess I’ll tell you.”

“Oh thank goodness” Ann said, relieved.

“Now, I will say, please don’t” Nishiyama seriously warned. He sighed again. “One day when Iida and I were out, we got approached by these guys. They said they’d pay really well if we just take some envelopes to some drop boxes. Iida was tight on cash, so he agreed to it, while I was a bit more skeptical. I left, but after that day, Iida began acting weird. I don’t know what’s going on, but avoid it if you can.”

Ren nodded. “You have our thanks.” Ren picked up her bag and she and Ann walked out.

“So, what now?” Ann asked.

“Well, we need to get the remaining pieces of the story from Iida,” Ren said. He might be more willing to talk now that we have some more information from Nishiyama.”

“Still, moving envelopes doesn’t sound criminal itself” Morgana said. “I wonder what could be in them.”

“Documents?” Ann proposed.

“Hm, I don’t think so,” Ren said. “Paper trails are usually avoided if they can.”

“But what could be small enough to fit into an envelope?” Ann wondered. They thought about it. “Drugs?”

“That could be it,” Ren said. “Remember, Yusuke overheard the cops say that that was happening.”

“Woah! If they had evidence that these kids were handling drugs…” Morgana said.

“Yeah. That would spell trouble” Ren said. “Let’s go.” They walked with a purpose. They arrived at the library, and found Iida where Ren left him. “Iida.” Iida was still trying to avoid eye contact.

“Nishiyama told us everything,” Ann said.

“He did?” Iiida said, turning around. “Dammit!” He sighed. “Can we at least take this somewhere more private?”

“Of course,” Ren said. The group traveled to the hall before the roof. “Now, what do you have to say?”

“Well, as Nishiyama said, we were approached by some guys,” Iida began. “They offered a lot of money for a job that seemed simple. I could have used some ezra cash, so I thought I’d go for it. But…”

“But what?” Ann wondered.

“I didn’t know what was inside,” Iida admitted.

“Of course,” Ren said. “You didn’t know you became a PIZZA SMUGGLER!”

“What?” Ann said.

“Yeah, you gotta move the pizza REALLY fast to get it there while it’s still hot!” Morgana added, caught up in the moment. “Wait, NO!”

Iiida seemed really confused. “Sorry” Ren apologized, laughing. “I was making a joke to lighten the mood.”

“I see…” Iida said. “Well, I guess it was kind of funny.”

“See? It was worth it” Ren said. “But for real, it’s drugs, right?”

“...Yeah,” Iida admitted.

Ann was confused. “Why did you accept the money once you found out?”

“I didn’t have a choice,” Iida said. “The money was put in automatically, and they told me I had to continue, and if I didn’t, they’d send pictures to the police.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Do you have any idea who they are?”

“Not entirely,” Iida said. “I just know they’re a gang that does a lot of business in Shibuya.”

“Well, thank you anyways,” Ren said.

“Look, I just hope you know to avoid them,” Iida said. “And just be careful in Shibuya.”

“Of course,” Ann said.

“Thanks,” Iida said. He sighed. “I’m glad I finally told someone.”

“Why not the student council?” Ren asked.

“Oh, well, you know…” Iida said. “They’d just judge me. They aren’t in it for us students, ya know.”

“I see,” Ren observed. Ann looked pained. “Well, if you ever want to talk about things, Dr. Maruki is always an option.”

“Huh? Really?” Iida wondered.

“Totally” Ren said. “He’s actually quite helpful.”

“I’ll...think about it,” Iida said. He walked off.

Ann sighed. “Hey” Ren said. “You feeling alright?”

“Yeah” Ann said. “It’s just… What he said about the student council. Niijima-senpai is doing a lot to resolve this, and he’s ignoring them because he doesn’t believe they’re there to help.”

“But didn’t you say something similar when it came to Kamoshida?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Ann answered. “And I’m starting to feel a little bad about it. If she’s working hard to do this, maybe she would have if she knew anything about Kamoshida.”

Ren placed her hand on Ann’s shoulder. “I’m sure she’ll understand.”

Ann smiled. “Yeah.”

Ren smiled back. “C’mon, let’s go discuss what we figured out with everyone.” The two headed downstairs.

They ran into Makoto. “Oh, hello you two,” she said. Ann avoided eye contact with her.

“Hey” Ren said. “Isn’t it just our luck? I have some new information.”

“You do?” Makoto said, surprised. “Well, by all means.”

Ren nodded. “Apparently, the gangsters are having students traffic drugs around Shibuya.”

“Oh my!” Makoto said, shocked.

“Don’t worry. We’ll get to the bottom of this” Ren said.

“I hope so,” Makoto said. “For your sake and the school’s.”

“Right,” Ren said. “We’re going to meet up to discuss our next move.”

“Great,” Makoto said. “I can’t wait to see what else you can find.” Makoto headed off in one direction, while Ren and Ann headed off in the opposite direction. Meanwhile, unbeknownst to them, Hagiwara was around the corner listening to everything they were discussing. She took notes and dispersed herself.

Ren and Ann met with Ryuji outside by the vending machines. “How’d you do?” Ryuji asked. “I found nothin’.”

“We actually figured out a lot,” Ann replied. They proceeded to explain the results of their investigation.

“For REAL?!” Ryuji said.

“Yeah” Ren answered.

“That’s messed up,” Ryuji said. “So, what now?”

“Well, I’m thinking we give Shibuya itself a look-see,” Ren said.

“Alright then. Let’s go” Ryuji said, excited.

“Wait” Ren said. “I wanna do this as a unit, just to play it safe, ya know. And since Sumire’s at practice now...”

“Ahhhhh” Ryuji said. “Tomorrow then.”

“It works out fine for me,” Ann said. “I’ve got a shoot today.”

“When did this happen?” Ryuji asked.

“Yesterday,” Ann said. “They called with a sudden opening.”

“Gotcha,” Ryuji said.

“I think all that’s left is to message everyone,” Ren said. She got out her phone and did just that. “OK. The plan is to see if we can’t find anything in Shibuya tomorrow” Ren said. “We gotta be careful. I doubt that these people mess around.”

“Right,” Ann said. “Well, seeya then.” She left to go to her modeling gig.

Just as Ryuji was about to leave as well, Ren stopped him. “Hold it. Ramen.”

“Now?” Ryuji said. “Ugh.” He shook himself. “Fine. But only because I can’t say no to ramen.” Ren smiled, and the two went to gorge themselves on ramen. Ren more so to make Ryuji foot the bill. While Ryuji was displeased about the size of the bill, he and Ren overall had a good time.

The next day, during lunch, Makoto was in the student council room when Hagiwara came in. “Makoto-san?” she said

“Ah, Kisa-chan,” Makoto responded. “Did you find anything?”

Kisa gave her a stern look. “I found that we’re not the only ones you’re confiding in.”

“Oh? What do you mean?” Makoto asked nervously.

“I saw you talking with two other students about the gangster problem,” Kisa said.

“Oh. That” Makoto said.

“Do you not trust us?” Kisa asked.

“No, of course I trust you,” Makoto said. “It’d just, this is a big problem, and they’re willing to help out, you know?”

“Why didn’t you tell us about this?” Kisa demanded.

“Well…” Makoto floundered, not having a good answer without giving up the identities of the Phantom Thieves.

“I thought we were friends!” Kisa shouted.

“We are!” Makoto pleaded. “Just, please understand that there’s more going on than meets the eye.”

Kisa seemed disenchanted. “I thought you were better than this. But I guess not.” Kisa dashed out of the room, frustrated.

“WAIT!” Makoto shouted. “...Kisa…” She grabbed her head. “GAH! What is wrong with you Makoto?!”

After school, the Thieves met up in Shibuya. “I’m still struck by the fact that we’re investigating the crime the police mentioned when I was packing up stuff at Madarame’s” Yusuke noted. “So, how should we do this?” he asked.

“Hm” Ren wondered. “Maybe we should split up into groups. That way we can cover more ground, while still being at least somewhat safer.”

“I like the sound of that!” Ann said. “Maybe we should pair off!”

“Good idea!” Morgana said.

“Wait, how?” Jose inquired. “There’s seven of us.”

They all thought for a moment. Then all of the humans, or at least human-like members, looked at Morgana. “Wh-What’s that look for?”

“Well…” Ann said.

“No offence, but you DO look like a cat,” Sumire said.

“So, maybe you’d be better going it alone,” Yusuke reasoned.

“WHAT?!” yelped Morgana.

“It makes sense,” Ryuji said.

“How?” Morgana asked.

“You’d be safe,” Ryuji answered. “I mean, I don’t think many gangsters would ask a cat to deliver drugs.”

“Well….that’s true…” Morgana admitted.

“Plus, this way, we can cover even more ground,” Ren added.

Morgana sighed. “Fine. I’ll go alone.”

“Alright!” Ann cheered. “With that settled, let’s decide teams. Hmmmmm” she thought. “How about Ren and Sumire as a team?”

“Me and Ren-senpai?” Sumire said, blushing. Ren was too busy blushing herself to notice.

“Yeah!” Ann said. “Things could get scary real fast, and I think Ren makes Sumire the calmest.”

“Well, I guess that’s true…” Sumire admitted.

Ren recovered quickly. “Well then, how about you and Ryuji?” she retorted. “I mean, you two have known each other for a while. I’m sure there’s a strength in that.”

“Sure, I don’t mind,” Ryuji said, bluntly.

“Oh, uh, sure then” Ann said. “I guess that leaves Yusuke and Jose.”

“Hm. Fear not” Yusuke said. “While we are only recently acquainted, we are both creative. Hence, any situation we may find ourselves in, we will creatively find a way out!”

“You said it Yusuke!” Jose cheered.

Ryuji was dumbstruck. “Ummmmm, surrrrrrre…”

“Well, with all that settled, let’s split up, gang!” Ren said. She chuckled. “Sorry. I couldn’t resist.” The groups started to move around. Before they fully left each other, Ann managed to get Ren’s attention. She winked at her. Ren blushed slightly and rolled her eyes. She knew Ann suggested that team as a ploy to get her and Sumire closer. She returned a wink of her own. Ann was surprised, looked at Ryuji, blushed slightly, and got frustrated. Ren laughed to herself.

As Yusuke and Jose were on the look out for any information or suspicious activity, Jose looked up and asked “So, how’s dorm life treating you?”

“Hmmmm” Yusuke pondered. “Well, there is no doubt that it is better than living with Madarame. Me having my own dorm is helpful, but it is also a bit isolating at times.”

“Well, you’re always welcome to come over to my dorm if you’d like some company,” Jose offered. “Truth be told, while I do have some friends, I’m mostly in the same boat. I don’t mind exactly, because it frees me up for whenever stuff like this happens, but at the same time, it can be pretty rough.”

“I get what you mean,” Yusuke said. “I guess these things take time. Still, despite everything that happened, I did grow close to some of the people who were also under Madarame’s influence. But that was broken by...well...you know… I’m hoping that going forward, the bonds I make aren’t so cruelly shattered.”

“Well, you have us, and that’s a start,” Jose smiled.

“Indeed” Yusuke replied. They kept investigating.

While Ryuji and Ann were investigating, Ryuji was psyched up, while Ann was deep in thought. Ryuji took notice of this. “Yo. What’s up?”

“Huh? OH, I was just thinking…” Ann said. “Maybe we were a bit harsh on Niijima-senpai.”

“How do you figure?” Ryuji said.

“Well,” Ann began, “she’s working really hard to help with this issue. She even brought us into it. Yet we said some mean things to her because we thought she wouldn’t help with Kamoshida.” She sighed.

“Well...” Ryuji began. “We can’t entirely blame ourselves.” Ann was curious. “I mean, before the whole Phantom Thieves thing happened, we were barely on speaking terms due to Kamoshida, and before that we were like two peas in a pod. It couldn’t have been easy to open up to anyone if you and I weren’t talkin’ much.”

Ann was surprised. “You’re right.” She sighed. “I just hope she understands.”

“Eh, I’m sure she will” Ryuji said. “We just gotta talk to her.”

“Yeah” Ann smiled. “You know, when it counts, you know exactly what to say.”

“Thanks” Ryuji said. “Wait, what do you mean by ‘when it counts’?”

Ann giggled. “Don’t worry about it.” Ryuji shrugged it off and they continued investigating.

During Ren and Sumire’s investigation, Ren glanced at Sumire and asked “So, how are you feeling?” Sumire looked at her. “About your upcoming meet, I mean.”

“Oh, that,” Sumire said. “Well, obviously, I’m nervous. I can’t say there has ever been a meet where I haven’t been nervous.” She grew a little more serious. “But this is the first time I’ve had a meet since….the incident…”

“Yeah” Ren said, unsure of how to respond to that. “Well, if you’re having second thoughts, I’m sure Coach Hiraguchi will still let you skip this.”

Sumire became determined. “No. I want to do this. Whether I fall face first to the floor, or pass with flying colors, I feel like this is something I need to do. I want to see what gymnastics is like without Kasumi.”

“Hm. Well, if you’re that determined, I can’t stop you” Ren said. “But I still would like to come watch.”

“Oh, well” Sumire said, getting sort of nervous. “While I did say you didn’t have to, I would like it if you did. But if you have other plans…”

Ren smiled. “Just give me the time and date, and I’ll clear my schedule.”

Sumire blushed. “Hm hm. Thanks.” Ren was startled by Sumire’s cuteness and started to blush as well.

Before anything else could happen, the two were interrupted by a loud “Hey!’ The two girls looked over to see an assortment of shady characters. “You wanna make some easy money?”

The two girls were stunned at the fact that they just stumbled into this. “Um, that almost sounds too good to be true,” Sumire said.

“Relax, it’s all above board” the guy continued. “You just gotta deliver these envelopes to a few places, and you’ll be swimming in Yen.”

“Hm. I see” Ren said. “I can’t say I’m not interested, but I’m a bit cautious. Tell me, who is this all for?”

“Well, uh, that’s on a, uh, need to know basis, ya know?” the guy said, scrambling for an answer.

“Hm, I dunno,” Ren said. “I think I’ll pass.”

“C’mon. It’s easy” the guy kept insisting.

“What is it with people and not taking ’no’ for an answer?” Sumire wondered.

The guys pulled out their knives. “Ya interested now?”

Ren and Sumire were scared. They could run, but that would only take them so far. They needed something to give them an edge. Luckily, that something had heard the commotion and had just arrived.

Jumping from the roof, Morgana landed on the face of the guy talking to them. “GAH!” he said.

“Run!” Morgana shouted. With no hesitation, Ren took Sumire’s hand and ran.

Meanwhile, the gangsters were struggling to get Morgana off the face of one of their own. Morgana clawed his face for a while, but he knew he couldn’t keep at it. He stopped and leapt off the face and scurried around the corner.

He met up with Ren and Sumire. “Thanks for the assist,” Ren said.

“Hah! It’s what I do” Morgana said.

Sumire nodded. “We’re really lucky you managed to find us.”

“Hm. So, were those the guys?” Morgana asked.

“Most likely” Ren said.

“What should we do?” Sumire asked.

Ren thought about it for a moment. “Well I think we can describe them well enough. If we take that information to Makoto, she can maybe do something with it on her end. After all, we’re just a bunch of misfits.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Morgana said.

“Come on, let’s meet up with everyone,” Ren said. The three of them started walking together while contacting the rest of the group.

Back in the alley, the gangsters were recovering from their loss to a cat. “GAH!” the guy who Morgana landed on said. “I’m gonna kill them!”

“Uh, it’s just a cat,” another guy said.

“Yeah, we got bigger things to worry about,” another guy said. A phone rang. “Like that.”

The cat-scratched guy was still mad but took the call. “Hey boss.”

“How are things going?” the voice on the other end asked bluntly.

“Well, uh, ya see, we ran into some trouble” the guy said. The person on the other end growled at him. “Don’t worry, we’ll get more students. Promise.”

The voice on the other end was silent for a bit. “Get back here. NOW!”

“Yes sir!” the guy said, fearful. The boss hung up. The guy sighed. “We're heading back.” The other guys were worried. They all entered their car.

Before they could take off, a picture of their plate was taken. And behind the camera, well cellphone, was none other than Kisa Hagiwara. “Hm. This will prove to Makoto that I can handle this.”

Flashback to when school just ended. Makoto left class quickly to go to the student council room. “Hey” she said, upon entry. She was surprised. “Um, where’s Kisa?”

“She’s not here,” Hiroki answered. “Why?”

“I need to talk to her,” Makoto said.

“But, hey,” Hiroki said. “We’ve found some more information.”

“That’s great,” Makoto said, starting to panic. “But I really need to talk to Kisa. You can just tell me later. OK?”

“Um, sure?” Hiroki said. “Did something happen?”

“Yeah, well, gotta go, bye” Makoto said, leaving as fast as she could. She rushed to Kisa’s classroom, and she wasn’t there. She looked for her up and down the school, but couldn’t find her. Because unbeknownst to her, Kisa was secretly following Ren and her friends on their investigation.

Back in the present, the goons had arrived at a shady strip joint. The guy covered in claw marks sighed. “This isn’t going to go well.” They entered.

Kisa had gotten out of her taxi a little afterwards, and followed them in. She managed to go undetected as she progressed further in. Finally, she caught a glimpse of the goons with their apparent leader. She took out her phone and started recording a video. “Why are you covered in scratches?” the boss asked.

“Well, uh, you see, we almost had those kids in our grasp, but then some alley cat tackled me” the guy explained.

The boss was not amused. “You dipshits! Why should I trust someone who gets thwarted by a simple cat?!”

“I-I promise! We’ll get some more kids! I swear!”

The boss glared at him. “You better…”

Kisa was smiling. She had gotten video of the guy causing trouble in Shibuya. However, her luck ran short, as at the moment, Makoto called her. “Oh no” she said. The goons heard it and started walking over. Kisa tried to hide and answered.

“Kisa! Thank goodness. I was worried” Makoto said.

“Hey” Kisa whispered. “Listen, I’m gonna need to call you back.”

“Huh?” Makoto said.

Kisa hung up, as the gangster found her. “Well well, what do we have here?” They grabbed her, took her phone, and presented her to the boss. “Looks like someone was snooping around.”

The boss was a bit mad. “You mean to tell me you were followed, and didn’t notice?!” The goons were scared. The boss smiled. “Still, this is a nice opportunity.”

“Please don’t kill me!” Kisa begged.

“Ohhhh. You know how to beg. I like that” the boss said. “Relax. I’m not going to kill you.” Kisa sighed. “After all, you’re worth so much more to me alive.” Kisa was now worried. The boss turned to the lady hanging off of him. “Say, how much was that handbag you wanted? The crocodile one?”

“Hmmm, about three million yen,” she answered.

The boss opened a briefcase, took out a stack of cash, and handed it to her. “There you go.”

“Wow! For real?! Thanks!” the woman said.

The boss turned to Kisa. “Heh. I’m angry. And when I get angry, I like to spend money. But not having enough also makes me angry. So it’s up to you to refund that money to me. Ya know, for making me angry in the first place.”

Kisa was frightened. “What makes you think I’ll do it?”

The boss snapped a photo of Kisa. “My my, what a nice picture. A student in a seedy establishment with a bunch of booze. Oh, and I think I got some cigs in there too. It’s be a shame if this went public.”

Kisa was shaking. “I-I have video, you know!”

“Correction” the guy who was covered in cat scratches said. “You HAD video.” He tossed her cellphone back to her.

“Nice work” the boss said. “You just might be worth something after all.” He turned his attention back to Kisa. “Don’t worry, I’m a nice guy. Tell you what: I’m going to give you to the end of the semester to give me that three million. That’s more generous than most people. You should feel lucky. Now run along now. Time IS money.”

Kisa was crushed. The boss, his goons, and the woman were all having a good time. Kisa slowly walked out of the door. Before anything else, she found an alley dumpster to throw up in. Afterwards, she got another call from Makoto. She picked up. “Kisa! Are you alright?!”

“Makoto” Kisa said, her voice hollow.

“Where are you?!” Makoto asked.

Kisa didn’t answer. Instead, she said “Let’s meet up at that ice cream place we always used to go to.”

Makoto was concerned, but felt relieved that she was at least up for that. “Alright. I’ll head on over.” They hung up, and Kisa started walking over.

Eventually, Kisa entered, seeing Makoto sitting at their usual place. “Hey Kisa. I already ordered.” Makoto took noticed of Kisa’s defeated attitude. “What’s wrong?”

Kisa stumbled over to Makoto. “Makoto…” She collapsed into Makoto, wrapping her arms around her. She began crying. “I’m sorry!”

Makoto was surprised. She hugged back. “Kisa. Tell me what’s wrong.”

Kisa sniffed. “OK.” She proceeded to tell Makoto what happened through her tears. While she was explaining it, their ice cream had arrived.

Makoto was absolutely shaken to her core. “Kisa. I’m so sorry.”

Kisa sniffed again. “It’s not your fault.” She took a bite of her ice cream.

“But I called you, and we had that fight…” Makoto said. She sighed. “I’m such a bad leader.”

“No,” Kisa siad. “I’m just selfish. I wanted to be the one to bring down this plot, but I ended up biting more than I can chew.”

Makoto was still doubtful of herself. She grew determined. “Kisa, listen. I have a way out of this, but you need to trust me, OK? I promise I can resolve this, just don’t do anything else reckless.” Kisa nodded. “Good.” She sighed. I feel like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew too. They continued eating their ice cream.

Ren had arrived at Leblanc for the evening. “I think today went alright, don't you?”

“I’ll say,” Morgana said. “I got to show off my power here too.”

Ren giggled. “Right And I can’t thank you enough.” She got out her phone. “I should tell Makoto about this development.”

Before she could, Makoto messaged her.

Makoto: Meeting. Tomorrow. Student council office. Lunchtime.

Ren was stunned. “That can’t be good.”

Notes:

Boy, that was a little more intense than I had imagined it. I guess one thing I wanted to talk about is the specific nature of the changes I'm making. Because I'm making such big changes, I figured I could make some little changes as well. This means that I usually go with a general idea of events, and I don't refer to video unless I absolutely need to. This has the odd consequence of me trying to figure out things that are smaller scale in the bigger picture. The Nishiyama and Iida thing threw me for a loop because I'm not sure if that was tipped off beforehand, or if it was just random. Obviously, I used the latter, but, yeah, stuff like that might happen.

I also stuffed more than I thought I could into this, which can make for an interesting chapter I feel. I just keep surprising myself with how much I can put into a chapter. I thought I could fit part of this chapter into last chapter, and then the rest of it into the next, but I think things worked out well in how things are divided.

When I was telling my friends about this, they were surprised that it's taken this many chapters to be this early in the game yet, but I am changing things, and P5R isn't a short game on its own either. They suggested I should break up the confidants int their own story, but I like them here because they provide nice little breaks between the intense action. Plus, this is more narrative driven, and splitting them up makes things feel unnatural. Besides, it's a bit late to do that now.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 55: Paths Collide

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

In class the next day, Ren was watching the clock. As each second passed, she grew more and more nervous about the meeting Makoto summoned her for. What kind of situation was waiting for her? Was everything going to crumble at her feet? Would the Phantom Thieves be outed? Nothing was out of the question. After all, Makoto had figured them out; anything was possible.

When the time for lunch came, Ren got up immediately. Ann turned around and asked “Hey, wanna eat lunch together?” with her enthusiasm draining with each word as she took notice of her friend’s demeanor. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “Makoto asked to meet with me. Well, ‘asked’ is a very generous way of putting it.”

“I see…” Ann said. “Wait, you call her by her first name? Why?”

“Oh…” Ren said, realizing it herself. “I’m not entirely sure. But I guess that I’ve been getting so used to it with you guys, that it’s kind of rubbed off on me.”

“Huh” Ann said

“Well, come what may, I gotta do this” Ren said, trying to psych herself up.

“Good luck,” Ann said. Ren nodded. She left the classroom. With every step, Ren’s heart pounded. Despite her fear, she kept marching forward.

Once she entered the student council room, she came face to face with Makoto. Makoto’s face looked deathly serious. Nervous as she was, Ren let out a “Hey…”

Makoto continued to look at her with that icy glare. Eventually though, that broke. Her face turned from anger to sorrow in a near instant, as she sat down. “Oooooooooohhhhhhhh” she moaned.

Ren was surprised. “Um, What happened?” she asked, as she sat across from her.

Makoto put her head in her hands for a few seconds. She then sighed, lightly pounded her fists on the table, and then looked up at Ren. “We have a problem.” After Makoto explained everything, she finished by saying “so, we need a new strategy, and fast.”

Ren was stunned. “Well, that’s certainly a lot.”

“You don’t have anything that would help, do you?” Makoto asked.

“Well, we met some of the gang members who were tasking students to move the drugs,” Ren said. “I could describe them to you, but…”

Makoto sighed. “That’d be helpful if we didn’t have to worry about Kisa. If this mob leader hears that the police are sniffing out his henchmen, he’ll probably release the photo before anything can happen.”

“Yeah…” Ren relented. She focused herself. “So, we’re going to find an underground method of figuring this guy out.” Makoto nodded. “Well, I’ll tell you this, you came to the right people.”

“Don’t I know it…” Makoto said, still worried.

“Hey” Ren said. “We’re going to do this. I promise.”

Makoto was assured by this, nodded, and smiled for the first time today. “Yeah Thanks.” Ren smiled back, got up, and left the room. She got out her phone and began to text.

Ren: We have a problem.

Ann: I hope it’s not too serious.

Ren: It’s not worst-case scenario, but it’s not great.

Yusuke: Well, I guess that’s some kind of silver lining.

Ren: We should meet up to discuss this in full.

Ren: Maybe somewhere a little more private this time.

Jose: Why do you figure that?

Ren: Well, if these gangsters hear we’re after them, then it’ll be game-set-match.

Jose: Oh, so we won’t have the element of surprise.

Jose: Gotcha.

Sumire: So, where should we go?

Ryuji: How about a karaoke bar?

Yusuke: That’s not bad actually.

Jose: Yeah, even if there are gangsters there, they won’t be about to hear us over the music they’re singing.

Ann: Gangsters go to karaoke?

Ryuji: I think so.

Ann: I don’t know what kind of songs they would sing.

Ryuji: It’s probably not what you’d expect.

Ryuji: Probably stuff like “All Day Princess” or that Fool song.

Ann: Fool song?

Ryuji: Yeah, I can’t remember the name, but it’s become kind of popular on the internet.

Ann: Oh, I know what song you mean now. Yeah.

Ren: Getting back on topic, that does sound like a good plan.

Ren: Does anyone have any preferences, or just whatever’s close by?

Yusuke: I think we should meet at the usual spot and decide then.

Sumire: Good thinking, Yusuke-senpai.

Ryuji: Works for me.

Ann: Same.

Jose: Same.

Ren: Well then, until this afternoon.

Ren put her phone away, and then proceeded to eat lunch in the remainder of time before classes started up again.

After school, the Phantom Thieves met up, looked up a karaoke bar, and headed over. Once inside, Ren explained the situation. “Huh…” Ann said, stunned and saddened by what happened.

“So, we’re back to square one,” Yusuke noted.

They could hear someone doing karaoke in the next room over. “Man, that guy sucks,”Ryuji said.

“Um, I agree, but we should be more focused,” Sumire said.

“It IS a bit loud though,” Jose said.

“Yeah,” Sumire agreed.

“So, the question is now, how do we figure out this guy’s name without ringing any alarm bells?” Ren asked.

“Well, maybe we should ask somebody who knows their name already?” Ann said, half sure of herself.

“And who would that be?” Ryuji retorted.

Sumire got an idea. “Wait! Do you think that reporter would know?”

“Reporter?” Yusuke askd.

“Yeah,” Sumire responded. “When we were investigating Madarame at the exhibit, we saw this reporter getting kicked out. We followed up with her.”

“She seemed to have a keen eye on whatever information is floating around,” Ren added. “She knew about the abuse allegations toward Madarame.”

“Oh, but, don’t we need information to talk to her?” Sumire said.

“A hurdle already?” Ryuji moaned.

“I thought as a former track star, a hurdle would be nothing,” Morgana remarked.

“You little…” Ryuji grumbled.

Morgana chuckled to himself. Ren then smiled deviously. “Oh no, I know that smile,” Morgana said. “You have an idea that’s potentially dangerous.”

“Well, kind of,” Ren said. “I’m just thinking, between a second major confession, and the interview recently, the Phantom Thieves have a lot of sway.”

“Where are you going with this?” Ann asked.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to send us up the river!” Morgana said, panicked.

“No no,” Ren said. “We’re a team. Besides, I’m probably going to need you all if this keeps going. But we have a good amount of information we can reveal without playing our full hand. That might be worth a little something.”

“I’d say it's at least worth an attempt, '' Yusuke reasoned. “We can’t afford to waste time after all. At most, we have until the semester ends.”

“And we don’t know if or when Eris will induct another person into her ranks,” Jose added.

“Yeah. Let’s go for it” Ann said.

“Are you sure?” Ren asked, smiling.

Before Ann could answer, Sumire jumped in and said “Well, I know if I was in danger, I’d want to be helped as soon as possible.”

Ren was impressed. “Alright, good enough for me.” She sifted through her things to pluck out the business card of Ichiko Ohya. She sent her a message.

A few minutes later, Ren received a reply. “What does it say?” Sumire asked.

“She’s agreed to meet up” Ren said, honestly stunned this would work.

“Great!” Ann cheered.

“So, when?” Morgana asked.

“She said tomorrow at this place called ‘Crossroads’ in Shinjuku” Ren answered.

“Shinjuku, huh,” Ryuji said.

“Well, I can’t make it,”Sumire said. “I promised I’d be at practice, and that usually wears me out after.”

“Didn’t your coach say it was OK to miss some?” Ann asked.

“Yeah, but I promised some friends…” Sumire explained.

“Oh. Well, have fun then” Ann said.

Ren smiled. “I think the less people coming with the better.”

“Well, you should go,” Yusuke said. “You’re the one that reached out after all.”

“Makes sense,” Jose said.

“Of course,” Ren said. “But I still want someone to come with me.”

“I’ll go,” Ryuji said.

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “I still feel guilty about getting us into this mess anyways…”

Ren smiled. “Hey.” Ryuji looked up. “It’s OK. Despite the less than ideal circumstances, we have found our next big target. So in a way, we should thank you.”

“Does this mean you’ll pay me back for the ramen?” Ryuji asked, hopefully.

“Nope,” Ren answered directly.

“Figures” Ryuji said, hopes crushed. Everyone had a good little chuckle.

The buzzer came up, stating their time was up. “Do you wish to stay and actually do some karaoke?” Yusuke asked.

“It IS a nice way to blow off some steam,” Sumire said.

“I’m alright for it,” Ren said. “One hour of just us? No business?” Everyone agreed to it. Ren made an extension to their time, and they spent the next hour karaoking and having a good time as friends and teammates. After which, they left, preparing for the next step of the mission.

After school the next day, Ren went home to change. After all, despite recent improvements, “Shinjuku on a Saturday night” still had a certain connotation to it. Ren figured it’d be better not to show up in school clothes. She took one of her part time jobs for the rest of the afternoon.

Evening came. She clocked out of work and headed for the station. She was there first, so decided to wait for Ryuji. “Yo!” he called. Ren looked as he ran over. “Sup?”

“You’re really wearing your school uniform?” Morgana said.

“What? I didn’t have time to change” Ryuji said. “My mom had me doin’ some errands. Besides, it’ll be fine.”

“I hope so,” Ren said. “For your sake.” She started heading for the train.

“Hey, c’mon, don’t be like that,” Ryuji said, catching up to her. “We’re getting some good information tonight. I can feel it.”

Ren smiled. “With optimism like that, I can’t stay mad at you.”

“But you won’t pay me back…” Ryuji said softly.

“You deserve it” Ren retorted playfully. They got in and headed to Shinjuku.

When they arrived, the two took a good look around. “Um, do you wanna ask for directions?” Ryuji asked.

Ren shook her head. “I don’t think two kids asking about a bar is a good look.”

“Right,” Ryuji said. They looked at the area again. “Well, we should start looking then.” The two of them began their trek into the heart of Shinjuku. They saw a variety of things. Shady people selling stuff, hosts and hostesses trying to attract business, and people being drunk, angry, or both littering the streets. “Woah,” Ryuji remarked.

“Halt!” said a commanding voice. A police officer stopped the two of them.

“Oh crap” Ryuji worried.

“What are you two doing here?” the officer asked.

Ren calmly smiled and said “We’re just some college students looking for a good time.”

“College students, eh?” the officer said. He believed it for almost a second. “Wait, those pants…”

“Ryuji…” Morgana moaned.

“Those are part of the uniform for Shujin, aren’t they?” the officer asked.

“Uh, nope, they’re designer pants” Ryuji said, trying to lie.

“No no, I’ve seen them on the news” the officer said. “You’re just some high school punks, ain’t ya?”

“Crap!” Morgana muttered.

Ren shot a glance at Ryuji. “Don’t worry, I have a way out of this” he whispered. “On the count of three, we use a bit of my training. One...two...three!” Ryuji bolted off. A split second later, Ren ran off as well, smiling.

“HEY YOU KIDS! GET BACK HERE!” the cop shouted. He began giving chase. Despite the cop’s protests, Ryuji and Ren went sprinting around Shinjuku, hoping to shake off the officer. The two kids ran around a corner. As they kept dashing, someone pulled the both of them into an alleyway, taking them by surprise. The officer continued running to where he thought they went. “Where’d they go?” he said, before he continued running.

Once the cop was away, Ryuji shouted “HOLYSHITWHATWASTHAT?!”

“Calm down!” said the person who dragged them in. The two kids looked at them to see a woman dressed in some peculiar clothes.

“I’m sorry about him,” Ren said. “Thank you.”

Ryuji was still baffled, but felt it would be rude to not also thank this mysterious woman. “Thank you! … S-sorry…”

The woman giggled. “It’s OK. I’m just glad you’re alright.”

“How did you do that anyway?” Ren asked.

“Well...I can sort of tell these things…” she said. This left Ren and Ryuji a bit confused. “Follow me,” she continued. She left the ally with the two teens following her. They arrived at a small table. She sat down on the side closer to the buildings. “I’m a fortune teller.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Really?” Ryuji questioned.

“You’re skeptical about THAT of all things?!” Morgana snipped.

“If you want, I can read your fortune,” the woman said.

“Well, we’re kind of busy right now,” Ren said. “But I’ll be sure to stop by again sometime.”

“I’d love to see you,” she said. Ren and Ryuji started to leave. “By the way, get to the street, take a right, go past the flower shop, and it will be on your right.”

Ren and Ryuji looked over, somewhat confused. Ren nodded and said “Thanks.” They proceed to follow the fortune teller’s directions.

“Well I’ll be…” Ryuji said in awe. They had arrived at Crossroads. “That lady is scary.”

“I disagree,” Ren said. “She did save us.”

“Well….yeah, you got a point…” Ryuji said. Ryuji looked at Ren. “Hey.” He got a little more serious. “You go. I’ll stay outside in case any other trouble comes up.”

“Thanks Ryuji,” she said, tousling his hair. “Hey. I know you’re trying your best. Don’t let stuff like this keep you down.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.” Ren nodded and walked in.

Once she was in, she saw that there were two other women inside. One was the reporter she met before, and one was a large woman tending bar. “Heeeeeeeeeey!” Ohya said. “I’ve been waiting for you, ya know.”

Ren wasn’t sure what to think. “...Thanks?”

Ohya laughed. “You know, I had a feeling we’d see each other again. But where’s that red-haired girl you were with.”

“She’s busy,” Ren said.

“Aw, what a shame…” Ohya said. “Still, one out of two ain’t bad. AND you tell me you have juicy information. I can’t WAIT!” She turned to the bartender. “Lala-chan! Two shots!” Lala did nothing. “Huh? C’mon!”

“No,” Lala said. “I’m not letting a kid touch alcohol.”

“Oh. I assumed they were both for her” Ren said.

Ohya laughed again. “This kid gets it!”

“I’ll just take a water, if it’s all the same to you, Lala-chan, was it?” Ren said.

Lala nodded. “Smart kid. Makes me wonder what you’re doing with someone like this.”

“Lala-chan…” Ohya groaned. “Don’t be like that…”

“Besides, I’m no saint myself” Ren said, trying to relieve some pressure.

Lala sighed. “It’s fine. We’ve known each other for a while, so banter like that is common.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Here you go” Lala said, giving Ren a glass of water, and Ohya those two shots.

Ohya down them, and found some new energy. “Alright! Let’s go!” Ohya walked over to a private area in the back. Ren followed her, taking a sip of her water. Once the two of them sat down, Ohya said “So. You wanna know what’s going on in Shibuya.”

Ren finished another sip. “Well, moreso what’s making it unsafe. Or who.”

“I see…” Ohya said. “Well, I certainly can help you, but I am going to need information in return.”

“That’s fine,” Ren said, taking another drink of her water.

“You said you had something about the Phantom Thieves?” Ohya inquired.

“Yeah” Ren answered. “What do you wish to know?”

“Hmmmm” Ohya wondered. “Well, there’s a lot of noise around them, but not much in the way of concrete information.”

“I assume they would prefer that,” Ren said.

“Right, of course,” Ohya said. “But I am wondering something. Their first target, that pervert teacher. How did they know to go after him? What guided them to him, you know?”

“I see,” Ren said. She took another sip. “Well, as it just so happens, I go to the school where that incident took place.”

“Really?” Ohya said. “Oh, uh are you OK talking about it then?”

“I’m fine,” Ren answered. “But I only just transferred there, so I don’t have as much knowledge.”

“Oh…” Ohya said, dejected.

“BUT I can give you someone to talk to who knows this better” Ren said.

“Really?” Ohya said 

Ren nodded. “Yeah. Just give me a second.” She set her water down and got out her phone. While she was doing that, Ohya ordered another drink from Lala.

Ren: Hey, you wanna do something for the PTs?

Mishima: Always!

Ren: Great! Can you talk to a reporter about Kamoshida without giving away too much, but still giving enough?

Mishima: A reporter? I dunno.

Mishima: What are they like?

Ren glanced at Ohya.

Ren: Her name is Ichiko Ohya, and she’s a bit of a free spirit.

Mishima: Really?

Mishima: Is she cute?

Ren: She’s something...

Mishima: I’m in.

Ren: Thanks.

Ren put her phone away. “Do you have a pen?” Ohya got one out and handed it to her. Ren took a napkin and wrote down Mishima’s contact information. “Here. This guy’s name is Mishima, and he had front row seats to Kamoshida’s theater of madness.”

Ohya took the info. She looked it over. “I see… Well, a deal’s a deal.” She took a drink of her new beverage. “Ah. Junya Kaneshiro. He’s been running things in Shibuya. If you’re looking for some shady deals in the area, he’s probably the guy.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks!”

She started to leave, but Ohya interrupted. “Hey!” Ren stopped. “I like you kid. If you have any more information, feel free to stop over. I’ll be here.” She took another swig of her drink.

Ren was a tad bit nervous, but somewhat optimistic. “If I have anything, I’ll be sure to come over.”

“Yay!” Ohya cheered. She took another drink.

Ren walked out. “I hope you know how to handle yourself,” Lala remarked. “She can be a lot.”

Ren smiled. “I think between the two of us, we can manage.”

“Heh,” Lala said. “I could use someone like you around here more often.”

Ren nodded. “It was nice meeting you.”

“Likewise” Lala said. Ren headed out.

While Ren was meeting with Ohya, Ryuji was standing outside, looking around. He started getting bored after a bit, and started trying to relieve that boredom. “C’mon Ryuji this is for Niijima and her friend. Keep focus.” He saw that there were a couple of stones at his feet. He kicked one, smiling. However, he stopped smiling when it hit someone. “Oh crap. I’m so sorry!” he called out.

The person he hit was a man, wearing an open black trenchcoat, blue pants, a white dress shirt, and a red and black striped tie. The man looked over, and Ryuji noticed he had short black hair, with a little coming over his forehead, and blue eyes. “It’s alright. No one was hurt.” Ryuji sighed, relieved. The man walked over. “So, the prosecutor’s office is hiring kids now?”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, confused.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t help but overhear your mumblings” the man said. “You said you’re doing something for Niijima?”

“Oh” Ryuji said, surprised. “Oh, well, um, probably not the Niijima you’re thinking of. Unless she’s also student council president.”

“Huh. I see…” the man responded. He looked at Ryuji. “You go to Shujin, right?”

“Oh crap, not again!” Ryuji said.

He tried to book it, but the man stopped him. “Woah woah, relax” the man said. “I’m not gonna turn you in or anything.”

Ryuji groaned. “Sorry. I already let my friend down once tonight cause of this.”

The man smiled. “I get it. It’s not always easy to help friends. Trust me.”

Ryuji looked this man over. He SEEMS alright. He sighed. “My friend told me the same thing.”

“That’s the spirit,” the man said. “So, what are you doing out in Shinjuku anyways?”

“Oh, um, well…” Ryuji said, getting nervous. Don’t mention the Phantom Thieves. “We’re looking into something. Niijima-senpai put us up to it.”

“She did?” the man inquired.

“Yeah” Ryuji said. “There’s been a few incidents with some of our students, including one of Niijima-senpai’s fellow student council members. I think her name was Hagiwara. Anyway, we’re looking into a lead to help sort things out before things get out of control.”

“Hm,” the man grunted. He had a concerned look on his face. He shifted it to happy, and said “Well, I hope you figure this out. Seeya.” The man walked away.

A few minutes later, Ren came out of Crossroads. “Did you get it?” Ryuji asked.

Ren smiled and nodded. “Thanks for keeping watch.” The two headed out. Unbeknownst to them, the man Ryuji talked with was around the corner, spying on them. Once they had left, the man rushed into Crossroads.

Ohya and Lala took notice of this right away. “What do you want?” Ohya jeered.

The man became serious. “I should have known it was you.” Ohya raised her eyebrow. “Look, I know you just gave someone some information, and I want it.”

Ohya looked at him, took another drink, and said “Tough.” The man was surprised. “She gave me information, and I’m not going to turn my back on that for nothin’.”

The man smiled. “What if I have information of my own? Would you give it to me then?” he asked.

“Psh, better be worth something” Ohya said, brushing him off.

“Give me thirty minutes, and I promise, it’ll be worth more than gold,” the man said.

Ohya stared at him for a few seconds. “Fine.” The man left.

“You really think he’s got something?” Lala asked.

“Psh. He’s bluffing” Ohya answered.

Half an hour later, the man returned. He placed a flash drive down on the bar. “This is security footage of your associate Kayo wandering around the morning after that politician was found dead.” Ohya was shook to her core. She made a play for it, but the man retracted his hand. “The information.”

Ohya was breathing heavily. Lala was also impressed with what this guy was bringing to the table. Ohya eventually relented. “She...She was asking about why Shibuya was dangerous. So, I told her the man who is probably behind all of it.”

“And who might that be?” the man asked.

Ohya was hesitant. “...Junya Kaneshiro.”

This time, he was shaken to his core. He took a second to collect himself. He set the flash drive on the counter. “There. A deal’s a deal.” The man turned around and walked out.

He continued walking until he made it back to his apartment. He closed the door, and slumped down against it. He screamed in his hands. He took some more breaths. “Makoto...AND Kisa...getting involved with..with...that piece of GARBAGE?! GAH!”

He looked up. On his wall was a picture of a family, including a younger Kisa, but also excluding him. He walked over to it. He looked at Kisa in the picture. “What happened? Why aren’t you telling me things?” he asked. He looked at Kisa’s mom in the picture. “What am I going to tell you when things go wrong, sis?” He looked down.

He then looked over. There was another picture. This time, it was of a man, but also not him. Next to it, was a police badge. He walked over to it. Upon closer inspection, the badge reads “Nobuyuki Niijima, Tokyo P.D.” The man picked up the photo. “What would you do in a situation like this, Nobuyuki?”

There was a knock at his door. The man turned quickly. “Who’s there?” When there was no answer, he walked over to open the door. To his surprise, was a figure adorned in robes. “Who are you?”

They chuckled. “My name is Eris,” she said. She walked in, to the bemusement of the man. She turned back around as he closed the door.

“What do you want?” the man asked.

“Why, the same thing as you, of course,” Eris said. “I want that criminal scum off the streets.”

The man was confused and concerned. “Just let the police handle it.”

“I COULD,” Eris said. “But we both know how ineffective that can be.” She placed a hand on his shoulder. “You quit the force because of that, didn’t you?” The man became more fearful. “The way they ignored any leads on the murder of your partner.”

Eris started encircling this man. “And now, your partner’s daughter is getting involved with one of the most dangerous men in Tokyo. Not to mention your niece. Do you really expect the police to deal with this in a timely and efficient manner? Heh. Don’t answer. We both know what it would be.”

The man was petrified, but intrigued by this figure. “So what are you going to do about it?” he asked.

“Oh, I’m not going to do a whole lot,” Eris said. “But I know YOU can! You can help clean up Tokyo. Starting with the person threatening your niece and your partner’s daughter: Junya Kaneshiro.” She took out an apple. “All you have to do is take a bite, and you will have the power to make Tokyo safe from monsters like him. So what do you say, Naoko Hamasaki?”

Naoko was scared. But he was more scared of doing nothing. More scared that he would have to lose Kisa and Makoto to a criminal, like he lost his partner. More scared that the police wouldn’t do anything if the worst happened. He grabbed a hold of the apple and intently took a bite of it. Once he swallowed it, he started laughing like a mad man. “Excellent choice” Eris said. She faded away.

A little later, some of Kaneshiro’s goons were patrolling the area. Soon, they were stopped by Naoko. The goons were confused. “What do you want?”

Naoko looked up at them. “You work for Kaneshiro?” The goons were confused. “I have a message for him.”

The goons looked at each other. “Yeah?” one of them asked. “Well, we’re not your own personal postal service.”

“Heh. Poor move” Naoko said. He rushed up and punched him in the face, sending him flying with blood coming out of his nose.

“What the?!” said another goon. The remaining two took out knives. However, Naoko dodged the first knife, uppercut the attacker’s jaw, and pressed him into the wall. He elbowed the remaining guy in the sternum without turning around. The goon collapsed and dropped his knife. He reached for it, but Naoko stepped on his wrist before he could get it.

Naoko picked up the goon. “I just have a simple message. Tell Junya Kaneshiro that his days are numbered.” Naoko threw the guy down and walked off into the night.

Notes:

THE PRESTIGE!

So, yeah, despite what you may have thought, Kisa isn't the agent of Eris, Naoko is. I mean, it was an educated guess, but it wasn't entirely fair to expect you to get it right either, since you were lacking in some information. Naoko was that missing link. This was always the plan, Makoto's dad's former partner finds out that Makoto is tied up with Kaneshiro, thus giving him a reason he would follow Eris. But writing things out added things as well. I really like this idea, and I am going to follow through on it, and I hope you like it too.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 56: Rise Up

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren was running a bit late getting to the hideout. She asked everyone there to begin investigating now that they have a name. Upon arrival, Ren was surprised to find Makoto among them, and she looked PISSED. “Ummmmmm…”

“She didn’t tell us why she was here either,” Ann explained. “She wanted to wait until we were all there.”

Ren was still stunned, but tried to proceed. “Well, the good news is we got a name…”

“And HOW did you get that name?” Makoto asked

Ren was confused. “I talked to a reporter…? Are you mad because I entered a bar? Because the lovely bartender was super adamant about not giving me anything alcoholic.”

Makoto was taken aback. “You entered a bat?”

“...No…” Ren lied.

Makoto sighed. “Well, if you’re telling the truth, then how do you explain this?” She showed Ren and everyone else a news article on her phone. The article was about the three gang members that got beaten up.

Ryuji panicked. “That wasn’t us!” He exclaimed.

Makoto was more confused now. “So if it’s not you who did it, then can you prove it?”

“...Maybe” Ren said. “We might have witnesses, depending on the time.”

“Well, as it just so happens, one of the gangster’s was wearing a watch that got broken,” Makoto explained. “Can you explain what you were doing at about 10:30?”

“Ah, what were we doing?” Ryuji wondered. “I think that was after we left.” Ren and Ryuji realized what they were doing. While Ren had a mile-wide grin on her face, Ryuji’s face contorted in horror. “We beat them up!”

Everyone but Ren looked at him, confused. “Oh, come on Ryuji. It won’t hurt to tell them.”

“What do you mean, we beat them up,” Ryuji insisted, his face turning red.

Makoto was not having it. “What’s going on?”

Ren snickered. “Lucky for us, not only do we have two witnesses, but also photographic evidence that places us somewhere else.”

Everyone looked at Ryuji. Ryuji couldn’t hold out any longer. “I want my 5000 yen back.”

“Done” Ren said, handing it to him.

Makoto turned to Ren. “So, where were you?”

“Well, after we had gotten the information…” Ren began.

It flashes back to last night. Ren and Ryuji were making their way through Shinjuku. “Alright, so, you wanna test it out? See if we got the right dirtbag?” Ryuji asked.

“Hmmmm” Ren thought. “I dunno. I kind of want to wait for the team to be there.”

Ryuji looked at her. “I mean, I guess I get it, but what if we have the wrong guy?”

“That’s part of the reason I wanna wait,” Ren said. Ryuji was confused. “I’m a little scared.”

Ryuji chuckled. “I get it. I was always scared before a big meet. But the trick is to not let it get to you.”

Ren smiled. “Maybe you and Sumire should talk.” Ryuji laughed rather loudly.

“Oh my, what an adorable laugh” a voice said. The two teens looked over to see two men. The two men walked over. “I know he already LOOKS perfect, but I think he has the energy for it too.”

“Oh, without a doubt,” the other man said.

“Um, what?” Ryuji said.

“Oh, pardon me, where are my manners?” the first man said. “My name is Julian.”

“And I’m Angel,” the other one said.

“Um, OK?” Ryuji said, still confused.

“And don’t think we don’t know what you’re doing here” Julian said. Ryuji looked at him blankly. “Why, you’re here to let yourself go.”

“What?” Ryuji said.

“Oh, don’t be so modest,” Angel said. “Or do. It’s very becoming of you.”

“I’m not sure what’s going on,” Ryuji said.

“Aww, we’re all friends here,” Julien said. “You want to let out your inner drag queen.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped.

“We saw you hanging around Crossroads,” Angel explained. “Too nervous to go in.”

“B-Bullshit!” Ryuji snapped back. “I was waiting for her!” Pointing to Ren.

“It’s true,” Ren admitted. Ryuji was relieved. “He wanted me to scout the place to make sure it had what he needed.”

Ryuji panicked again. He pulled Ren aside. “What are you doing?” he whispered.

“We can’t tell a perfect stranger that we’re out hunting for information about a gangster” Ren whispered. Ryuji looked shocked, then sheepish. “What did you do?”

“Well, uh, this guy, I was kicking rocks, you know?” Ryuji began explaining. “One hit him, I apologized, and we got to talking.” Ren glared at him. “I didn’t say anything about the Phantom Thieves, I didn’t even mention gangs. I just said we were helping the student council.” Ren was still glaring at him. “OK, fine, I’ll go along with this as an apology. We humor them for a bit, tell them we have to get home, and leave before the last train departs.”

“...’We’?” Ren said, still glaring. Ryuji was sweating bullets. “Ha!” Ren said, smiling. “Just kidding. You know I wouldn’t want to miss this.” Ryuji grumbled, but accepted it.

They broke away from their huddle. Ryuji got slightly embarrassed. “Ha ha, you got me.”

“Well don’t worry your pretty little head,” Angel said. “We’ve got the BEST stuff to make you SHINE!”

“Just like I always wanted,” Ryuji said. “But uh, could we take her along too?” Julian and Angel looked at Ren. “It’s just...she’s the only person I’ve told about this. I’d feel more confident with her there, you know?”

“Oh, of course,” Julian said. “Well now, come come.” The two kids followed the two men to a place close to Crossroads that was more specialized to the art of drag. The group spent some time picking out the right clothes for Ryuji. Ren explained that one of Ryuji’s hang ups was that he still wanted to feel tough, but it was no problem to find a tough look that was more feminine.

Ren also applied Ryuji’s make-up. Once she finished, she backed up. “There.”

Julian and Angel looked on. “Wow, I’m impressed” Angel said

“If you ever feel like making some extra cash, I’m sure some of our regulars would LOVE to have you on make-up” Julian said.

“Thanks,” Ren said, “but for now, I only work with him.”

“Aw, that's a shame,” Julian said. “Well, if you ever change your mind, the offer stands.”

“Thank you,” Ren said.

“So, what now?” Ryuji said.

“Well now we gotta get you in some of those CUTE outfits” Angel said. “And then PHOTOSHOOT!”

“Ph-Photoshoot?!” Ryuji said, surprised.

“Realx, it’ll be just for us” Angel said.

“Yeah, come on,” Ren said. “It’ll be fun.”

Ryuji looked at Ren. He relented. “PHOTOSHOOT!” he said with as much gusto as he could muster.

“Splendid!” Angel said. They capped the night off with Ryuji modeling various outfits, while everyone else took photos.

“You look gorgeous!” Ren complimented, taking another shot.

“Oh, you’re just saying that…” Ryuji answered, trying to play into the bit

“No, I mean it,” Ren said. “I’m honestly a little jealous.”

“Well, I’m sure that you’ll have your time to shine too” Julian said. “Your make-up game is SO on point!”

“Thank you,” Ren said. They took more pictures.

After the photoshoot, Ryuji and Ren left. “Take care you two!” Angel yelled out.

“Thank you!” Ren said.

“Yeah! Thanks!” Ryuji, smiling. Once he was far enough away, he let go of his smile. “Ugh.”

“Alright. 5000 yen, or this is going to Ann” Ren said. There was no reaction from Ryuji. “5000 yen or this DOESN’T go to Ann?”

Ryuji became more alert. “What? No! The first one! Ann cannot see these!” He took out some money and handed it over. “Ugh.”

Ren giggled. “Still, you gotta admit, tonight was fun.”

“Maybe” Ryuji admitted. “But I’m not keen on doing it again.” Ren giggled some more.

In the present, Ren was showing off the photos she had taken of Ryuji. “So, that’s what we were doing.”

“Huh,” Makoto said.

“UGH!” Ryuji groaned.

“I must say, you have a nice aesthetic presence,” Yusuke admitted.

“You really do look good here,” Jose said.

Ann looked at the pictures. “Ryuji? Have you ever thought about being a model?”

“Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope!” Ryuji said in a frenzy.

Sumire giggled. “But I will say, those guys are right.” Everyone looked at her. “Ren-senpai is REALLY good at make-up. I wouldn’t mind you applying make-up to me sometime.”

A light blush covered Ren’s face. “Th-Thanks.”

Makoto sighed, relieved. “Well, at least you aren’t going around assaulting people.”

Ryuji hung his head down. “I almost wonder if that’d be better.”

“BUT” Makoto said. “There is the matter of that person Sakamoto told stuff to.”

Everyone looked at Ryuji, while he recoiled. “Hold on. I didn’t say anything that would give anything away.”

“Are you sure?” Makoto asked. “Remember whose voice I have on recording?”

“Ugh,” Ryuji said.

“Well, I believe him,” Ren said. “I doubt Ryuji has much of a capacity to lie like this.”

“Hm, I guess that’s true,” Makoto agreed. “But it’s still something to consider.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “It might be hard to find them, but if there’s no commotion, we might be safe.”

Makoto nodded. “So, what now?” The thieves looked at each other confused. “I’m assuming you’re going to begin your ‘work’ now that you have a name.”

“Well, yeah…” Ann said. “But that’s members only.”

“There’s a bit more finesse to it than just knowing their name,” Ren explained. “And besides, we might not have the right name to begin with.”

“I suppose that’s true…” Makoto admitted. “But I would like to see your process. You know, to make sure everything is above board and all.”

The thieves exchanged a look. Ren sighed. “It’s not that we don’t trust you, or want to keep you out exactly,” she said, deciding to be direct, “it’s just it’s a lot, and it might seem unbelievable. So, unless you’re ready to take the dive with us, it might be better to leave us be.”

Makoto stared at her. “Fine. I’ll let it go for now. But I WILL figure this out.” She walked off. With that determination, came something else: The app. Not that anyone noticed right away.

Once she was far enough away, the thieves were relieved. “Man, she’s determined!” Ryuji noted.

Morgana popped out. “Are you sure that was the right thing to do?” he asked.

“Well, I don’t know if there was any other way,” Ren answered. “You were there when I tried to dodge her inquiries about the Phantom Thieves.”

“I guess that’s true…” Morgana admitted. “Still, you’re better at letting others know just enough than Ryuji.”

“Shut up!” Ryuji shouted back. “You don’t even need to worry about shooting your mouth off, because most people just hear you meowing!”

“Are cats allowed at your school?” Yusuke asked.

“Well...he does have you there…” Ann said.

“You know what I mean…” Ryuji said, still a bit frustrated.

“I don’t think we should belabor the point any longer,” Ren said. She got out her phone and loaded up the app. “Junya Kaneshiro.”

“Match found” the phone responded.

“It IS him,” Ryuji said, amazed.

Ren looked at her phone. Just as before, Kaneshiro’s name is in black, and following that is one more line in black, then a line in white. “Yeah, and we know it’s the right guy because someone’s taking over already.”

“WHAT?!” the thieves yelled in unison.

“But didn’t Eris tell you no one was taking over yet?” Sumire asked.

“Well, something must have happened,” Ren said, giving some serious side-eye to Ryuji.

“Hold on. We can’t be SURE it’s my fault” Ryuji said.

“That’s true,” Jose said, defending Ryuji. “He did say he didn’t go into specifics.”

“Besides,” Ann interjected, “if this Kaneshiro person is doing business in all of Shibuya, that gives him a LOT of people who could be his enemy here.”

“Match found” Ren’s phone sounded off.

“What was that?” Ann asked.

Ren looked. “Well, it seems we’ve stumbled into the second thing needed to get into his palace. Apparently, it covers ‘All of Shibuya’.”

“You’re kidding,” Ann said.

“That’s massive,” Yusuke added.

“But we’re still missing the take over word,” Morgana said. “And unlike with Madarame, I doubt Kaneshiro is having a big public event.”

The thieves all thought. Something clicked in Sumire. “You don’t think that the person who beat up those guys could be it, do you?”

“Hmmmm” Yusuke said. “I cannot deny the possibility.”

“Yeah, but how are we supposed to figure this out?” Ann asked

“Well, it’s better than nothing,” Ren said. She thought some more. “Maybe we can get Makoto’s help on this?”

“Really?” Sumire wondered.

“Well, I don’t have any better ideas,” Ren admitted.

“I’ll go see if I can’t find her still” Ryuji said. “She couldn’t have gotten too far.” Ren nodded at him. He rushed off.

Meanwhile, Makoto was walking around. “I don’t think they’d do anything illegal,” she rationalized. “But why won’t they tell me what it is they do? They said it’d be unbelievable, but how much of that is just bluster on their part?” She bumped into someone. “Oh, sorry.”

“It’s alright Makoto” they said.

Makoto looked up to see Naoko. “Naoko?”

Naoko smiled. “How are ya doing, champ?”

“Oh…” Makoto said, taken by surprise. “Well, I’ve been better, but I think I'm doing alright.”

Naoke lowered to her level. “Well, if there’s anything you need, you know you can always come to me, right?”

“Of course,” Makoto said. Naoko kept looking at her. Makoto was confused. “Ummmmm.”

“Anything,” Naoko repeated.

“Right…” Makoto said. Naoko kept looking at her.

He stood up. “Ah, I’m sure you’re fine,” he laughed.

“...OK?” Makoto said. At that moment, Ryuji came up and saw those two conversing. He immediately hid, but kept watch.

Naoko laughed a little more. “Sorry. I’m just working on a case, so my mind is more focused on that at the moment.”

“Oh, you got a case?” Makoto said. “Well, with you on the job, I’m sure it’ll get solved.”

“Thanks kiddo” Naoko. “You doing well in school?”

“Yeah,” Makoto answered.

“Good” Naoko nodded. “Keep it up, and take care now.”

Naoko started walking off. “Wait!” Makoto called out. “I can ask Sae for a date if you’d like to have dinner sometime. Or maybe we could plan a picnic for...well…”

Naoko smiled. “Sorry, but I’m going to be rather busy. Plus, I think your sister has a lot on her plate as is. Still, thanks for the offer.” He finished walking off.

Makoto smiled, feeling a little more refreshed. Just then, Ryuji walked up to her. “Oh, Sakamoto-kun.”

“Um, you know that guy?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah. He worked with my father on the police force” Makoto explained. “They were partners.”

“But he’s not an officer now?” Ryuji inquired further.

Makoto shook her head. “He’s a private investigator now. But more importantly, why are you here?”

“Oh, um, well,” Ryuji began explaining, “we might need a little more information, so we were hoping to ask for your help.”

“Well, I’m here to help. What do you need?” Makoto asked.

Ryuji was concerned about what to say, and more importantly what not to say. “We might need to investigate who beat those people up, but we might not now.”

“What do you mean?” Makoto asked.

“That guy you were talking to,” Ryuji answered, “that was the guy I talked to last night.”

Makoto was a little stunned, but she refined her composure quickly and chuckled. “OK then, so nothing to worry about.”

“What?” Ryuji responded.

“I mean, he’s not going around beating people up, if that’s what you’re thinking” Makoto kept going.

“But he COULD be,” Ryuji responded. “He MIGHT know.”

“Even if he did, I trust him not to do it,” Makoto said.

“But…” Ryuji blurted out. He was struggling to find the words without saying everything.

“But what?” Makoto asked.

Ryuji remained focused on what to say. He managed to muster “Ugh. It’s complicated.”

“Well, it sounds like you have some more talking to do with everyone else” Makoto. “Still, once you get your bearings straight, I’ll gladly help in whatever capacity is needed.” She walked off. Ryuji, frustrated, walked back to the group.

“Did you find Miss Niijima?” Yusuke asked.

“Yeah…” Ryuji answered.

“What’s wrong?” Jose asked, sensing something off about Ryuji.

“Well…” Ryuji said. “Things are a bit mixed.”

“How?” Ann asked.

“So, when I found her, she was talking to someone,” Ryuji said. “Specifically, the person I met in Shinjuku.”

“Did you go and reintroduce yourself?” Morgana asked.

“NO! I ain’t THAT stupid!” Ryuji countered. “I hid until he left and then I talked with Niijima.”

“What did she say?” Sumire asked.

“She’s very confident it’s not him, but I think it could be,” Ryuji explained. “But I couldn’t think of a way to tell her without saying everything.”

“Hmm” Ren pondered. “That IS tricky.”

“What do we do?” Ryuji asked.

They all thought about the question. Ren finally answered. “I guess we just need to be completely honest with her.”

“Are you sure?” Morgana asked.

“I don’t think we’ll get anywhere otherwise” Ren answered.

After letting the information settle for a bit, Ann spoke up and said “I think Ren’s right.” Everyone looked at her. “It’s just, she’s been fighting tooth and nail for the students of the school. I think it’s only fair that she should have all the knowledge to continue the fight, you know?”

“I do know” Yusuke chimed in. “However, I think the reveal should be a united front. A one-on-one meeting would be lacking.”

“Plus, if all of us were here, it might seem more believable,” Jose added.

“OK” Ren nodded. “I’ll ask her tomorrow.”

“Why not now?” Sumire asked.

“I think it’d be a bit awkward at this point,” Ren admitted. “So, do you want to do it here again?”

“I dunno,” Ryuji interjected. “I think it’d be a bit suspicious.”

“I think we should do it in Shibuya,” Yusuke suggested. “That way, if the person Niijima was talking to IS the person taking over, and she IS willing to believe us, we might get the third thing we need.”

“What an excellent idea Yusuke-senpai!” Sumire said. Yusuke went deep into thought. “Was that too much?”

“Oh. No. Sorry” Yusuke answered. “I just started thinking. ‘The person taking over’ is a bit of a mouthful. I think we need a better term for these people.”

Everyone got to thinking. “...Rebels?” Ryuji suggested.

“But we’re the rebels,” Morgana explained. “We’re the ones standing against corruption.”

“Yeah, but so are they in a way,” Ryuji said, defending his answer. “It’s just different from us.”

“Still, I don’t think we should put them in the same category as us, at least entirely,” Ann added. “If we were the same, we’d be no better than that Akechi kid thinks we are.”

“Well, you officially sunk my idea,” Ryuji said.

“What about ‘Conquerors’?” Sumire suggested.

“That’s not bad,” Jose said. “But I think we don’t want them to conquer. Otherwise the palace rulers would be dead.”

“Oh, right,” Sumire said.

They thought some more. “Well, this might be something we come back to later” Ren said. Everyone nodded. “In the meantime, we have a plan: we meet Makoto in Shibuya, and explain the truth.” Everyone nodded again. “Alright, then, meeting adjourned.”

Before everyone could leave, Ann shouted “WAIT!” Everyone looked at her. “Do you think you can send us those pictures of Ryuji?”

Ren smiled. “Of course.”

“Wait, don’t I get a say in this?” Ryuji asked. It was too late though, as Ren had already posted the album in the group chat. “Ugh.”

That evening, Makoto was having dinner when Sae walked in. “Sis!” Makoto stood up. “I wasn’t expecting you back so soon.” Sae wasn’t answering. “Your food is in the fridge.” Sae still said nothing. Makoto noticed she was holding something. “What’s that?”

Sae finally answered. “Huh? Oh, sorry. I found this in the mail slot.”

“What is it?” Makoto inquired further.

Sae got a bit frustrated. “I haven’t read all of it, but it appears to be a manifesto. The person writing it claims to have beaten up some gangsters last night.” Makoto was alerted. “So, you said my food was in the fridge?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah” Makoto answered. Sae set the manifest down on the table and walked into the kitchen. Makoto quickly walked over and took a picture of it with her phone. Once she did, she noticed the app. She stared at it for a bit, until the microwave dinged. Makoto returned to her seat and continued eating.

Sae came back out with her plate. She ate slowly, but aggressively, as she continued reading the letter. “Ugh. This guy.”

“What’s wrong?” Makoto asked.

“He’s just insulting us like we’re not even trying,” Sae said. She took another bite. She sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m not going to be pleasant company tonight. This on top of everything else is driving me up a wall.”

“Oh. Well, I could finish in my room if you want” Makoto said. “I still have some homework left to do.”

“I’d appreciate it,” Sae said. Makoto took her food and headed for her room. Once there, she pulled up the picture of the manifesto and began reading it herself. After she finished, she had a stunned look of horror on her face.

The next day, during lunch, Ren got out her phone and messaged Makoto.

Ren: Hey.

Ren: We need to talk.

Makoto: Funny. I was about to say the same thing.

Ren: Oh.

Ren: I guess that works then.

Ren: Can you meet us in Shibuya?

Makoto: Sure, but why?

Ren: That’s one of the things that needs explaining.

Makoto: I see.

Makoto: Well, It might be easier if I just come with you.

Ren: Yeah.

Makoto: Well, see you after school then.

Ren: Seeya.

Ren put her phone away.

After school, Ren met up with Ann, Ryuji, and Sumire. Once gathered, they waited for Makoto. She showed up a few minutes later. “Sorry, just had to take care of some business. Well, shall we get going?” The other thieves were uneasy, but Ren nodded. She and Makoto started walking off. The other thieves followed behind them.

It took a bit, but they met up with Yusuke and Jose around Shibuya Crossing. The thieves all banded together, looked at Makoto, who was looking at them, feeling unsure of what was going to come next. “What’s on your mind?” Makoto asked, nervously.

Ren sighed. “You want the truth?” she asked. Makoto nodded. “Alright. But please note, what I am going to say is the truth, no matter how ludicrous it seems.” She took a deep breath. “So, here’s just a basic overview. There’s a parallel world that’s shaped by people’s congitions. We can tap into it using an app that was given to us by a powerful entity to save the world.

People with really distorted desires form these things called ‘Palaces’ and at the center is their desire, which is their treasure. We sneak in to steal that to make them confess. But there’s another bit of complication.

This figure, Eris, corrupts people in order to take over the palace and kill the palace ruler. We not only go in to stop the palace ruler, but this person as well. BUT in order to get into the palace, we need three keyword: the name of the ruler, where the distortion is centered, and what the distortion is. When someone takes over, that last one becomes their’s, and not the palace ruler’s.

So, we need help figuring out who the person taking over might be. We have almost everything we need, but we can’t go until we figure this out. If you’re willing to help us, we’d like that.”

Makoto watched as Ren explained this, unblinking. The thieves were worried that Makoto would laugh this off, or get angry with them. Instead, she said “Huh. I guess that explains a few things.”

The thieves were confused. “Like what?” Ren asked.

“Why you’re never seen, first of all,” Makoto explained. “But I’m guessing it would also explain this.” She held up her phone to them. They were all stunned to see the Metaverse app. “I found it on my phone last night. I tried deleting it a few times, but it always came back.”

“Oh. I see” Ren said, awkwardly.

Makoto grew a little more serious. “And you need something from the person taking over? Well, I think I can provide that too.”

“What do you mean?” Ren asked, confused again.

“Last night, someone left a note in our mailbox claiming to be the person who beat up those gangsters,” Makoto said.

“Um, why?” Ryuji asked.

“My sister works for the prosecutor’s office,” Makoto said.

“Ooooooooohhhhhhhh” Ryuji said, remembering that the man he talked to mentioned a Niijima working at the prosecutor’s office.

“I heard from her this morning that it was sent to some of her coworkers, an assortment of police stations, and some news outlets as well,” Makoto continued. She glared at Ryuji. “And after reading it, I think you’re right.”

“Oh, about that guy?” Ryuji asked, his heart beating a mile a minute.

Makoto nodded. “I think he, Naoko, is the one who is taking over.”

“But, Ryuji told us that you denied that accusation,” Ann explained.

“And I did,” Makoto said. “But reading this, I knew. And with you explaining that this Eris person manipulates people into doing things, I understand now.”

“So what does it say?” Jose asked. “Is there anything that could be helpful to figuring out how to get into the palace?”

“Yeah, so far, we only have the guy’s name, Junya Kaneshiro, and we accidentally figured out the place, which is all of Shibuya,” Ann explained.

Makoto nodded. “His name appears in the note” she said. “I did a little research, and it appears he’s a big time gangster who you don’t want to mess around with. Ugh. Well, he knows I’m involved, but at least he doesn’t know about Kisa.”

“Wait, he knows Hagiwara too?” Ryuji said.

Makoto looked at him, glaring daggers. “Yeah. She’s his niece. Did you tell him she was involved too?” Ryuji looked pale as a ghost, and as much as he wanted to say something, he felt like anything he would say would not be well received. Makoto sighed. “Well, at least this whole thing makes more sense now.”

“So, the letter?” Ren said, awkwardly shifting the subject back.

“Oh right,” Makoto said. “I think it could be useful.” She pulled up the photo she took. “It goes as follows: ‘Greetings Tokyo, It has been a long time since I’ve graced your presence.’”

“It has?” Ryuji said. “How?”

“I’m getting to that,” Makoto said. “‘In case you were wondering, I am the one who beat up those criminals recently. That was only the beginning. I have decided to fight for Tokyo once again. However, it appears that things have gotten too out of control for The Night Raider to handle.’”

“The...Night Raider?” Ryuji asked.

“Ah, I remember,” Yusuke said. “Night Raider is a superhero from a comic from a long time ago. Madarame had the full collection.”

Makoto nodded. “It was my father’s favorite when he was a kid. Naoko’s too. They bonded over that when they first became partners.”

“If I remember correctly, The Night Raider would also put out messages for Tokyo to assure them they were safe” Yusuke said. Makoto nodded.

“Oh, so it that when you figured it out?” Ryuji asked.

“No” Makoto responded bluntly. She continued. “‘A prosecutor’s office that goes after the innocent while the police do nothing to get the truly heinous. Hence, I am making my return as The Dark Raider. The Night Raider vowed never to kill, but with things so terrible, there is no other choice but to kill. And I’m going to start with a man rotten to the core: Junya Kaneshiro. His tyrannical rule over Shibuya will come to an end upon his execution July 11th. In the meantime Tokyo, stay safe. From, The Dark Raider.’”

Ryuji seemed a little confused. “So, when did you figure it out?”

Before Makoto could answer, Sumire interjected. “It was the date, wasn’t it?”

Makoto nodded. “That was the day my father died. I knew then it HAD to be Naoko.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji screeched. “So, let me get this straight: this Naoko guy is pretending to be a superhero to kill criminals, and he’s going to start by killing Kaneshiro on the anniversary of your father’s death? That’s one messed up personal crusade.”

“That’s it!” Yusuke exclaimed. They all looked at him. “The name for the people taking over: Crusaders!”

“Um, I guess?” Ryuji said. “But I don’t know if now’s the time for this.”

“Well I like it, Yusuke-senpai,” Sumire said.

“Thank you,” Yusuke said. “Although it was Ryuji who inspired me.” Ryuji didn’t say anything, but this time he was too dumbfounded to do so.

“OK, now with that out of the way, let’s see if we can’t figure out something from this,” Ren said.

“Um, I think it’s kind of clear,” Ryuji said. “He’s imitating his favorite comic book.”

“Navigating,” the phone said.

“What the?!” Ryuji said before the world warped around them.

The thieves and Makoto found themselves in a Shibuya with a green skyline, and everything around them looked like it was hand-drawn from a comic. “Woah!” Makoto said, freaking out. “This...This is insane.”

“Please,” said Morgana. “You ain’t seen nothing yet.”

Makoto looked down. “Is that a talking cat?”

“I am NOT a cat,” Morgana explained.

“I don’t think this is a good time to explain that,” Ren said.

Makoto looked up to see everyone in their thief outfits. “Who are you?”

“Um, it’s us,” Ann explained. “This is just what we look like in the other world.”

Makoto was still shocked. “Oh. Wait, when did we get over here?”

Ren checked her phone. “Probably when Skull here said the words ‘comic book’.” Everyone else checked their phone. They saw Junya Kaneshiro, All of Shibuya,” and in white, Comic Book.

“Ugh. I need to learn to shut my mouth” Ryuji said.

“Wait, Skull?” Makoto said.

“Oh yeah,” Ryuji said. “Over here, we use codenames.”

“I’m Joker, this one’s Mona, she’s Panther, he’s Sunshine, she’s Violet, and he’s Fox.”

“I see,” Makoto replied, intrigued. She peered over them. “Is that normal too?”

The thieves looked at what Makoto was pointing at. They looked like walking, talking ATMs. “Well, it’s not entirely unusual,” Ren explained, “but this is odd. Let’s investigate.” The thieves walked up to the ATM while Makoto followed behind cautiously. “Excuse me.”

“GAH!” The ATM said. “I’m making the payments! I just need more time.”

“Wha?” Ren said.

“Oh, Mr. Kaneshiro won’t give me the time though” the ATM said. “Please, help!”

Ren was still bemused by this, but said. “We will.”

“Thank you,” the ATM said. “I don’t want to end up like them.” They pointed to another ATM, this one broken and on its side. The ATM hurried off to try and save itself.

“Um, what’s going on?” Makoto asked.

“Well, this is just a guess,” Ren said, “but I think these ATMs represent people in the real world.”

“So Kaneshiro thinks of these people as nothing but ATMs?!” Ryuji exclaimed. “That’s effed up!”

“Well, if he’s extorting money from people, it makes sense,” Sumire lamented.

“Well, yeah, but we gotta put a stop to this!” Ryuji said. Suddenly, a beam went off. Everyone looked to see a giant lime green beam blasting through the sky. They followed it and saw that a floating bank was being pulled by it.

“FOLLOW THAT BANK!” Ren shouted. They all chased the falling bank to its new destination. They arrived just as the bank was setting into the space around it. Once it stopped moving completely, two shadow guards walked out, and in the middle of them was a very angry purple man in a white suit. Ren halted everyone. “I think that might be Kaneshiro” she whispered.

The man furiously looked around. He saw the thieves and Makoto. “You!’ he said, walking up closer to them. “Are YOU the ones who took my bank out of the sky?” Ren shook her head.

“Um, pardon me?” Makoto said, stepping forward. “Are you by chance, Junya Kaneshiro?”

“That’s right,” he said, cautious.

“Why was your bank in the sky?” Makoto continued.

Kaneshiro’s shadow laughed. “Because that made me untouchable. That allowed me to act with impunity. I can control all of Shibuya without lifting a finger, because when I do, everyone but me gets PUNISHED.

But now I’m brought down to your level. And so, I need to punish whoever’s responsible.” He took a better look at Makoto. “Say, your uniform looks like the one of the girl who tried to get evidence on me.”

Makoto was afraid, but stood her ground. “That’s right. She’s a student at my school. And I’m the student council president. And you’ve made a grave mistake crossing me.”

“Oh ho” Kaneshiro said. “Feisty, aren’t we? But I think it’s the other way around. I have those photos of her, and I have the police under my thumb.So tell me, what are you going to do?”

Makoto took a step forward. “I’ll stop you!”

Kaneshiro laughed. “It’s been a while since I’ve heard a joke THAT good. Guards, take care of her. And her little friends too.” The shadows started to inch forward, but before they could touch Makoto, one of them got kicked out of the way.

The person responsible for the kick was a superhero with a black suit, black cape and cowl that was torn and tattered, white gloves, white boots, and white trunks. Across his chest was a stylized “DR” to symbolize that this person was the Dark Raider. This person was Naoko.

The other shadow turned their attention to him, but he pulled out some boomerangs and threw them at the shadow. He then walked up to Kaneshiro. “I’m the one you’re after,” he said. “I dragged you down here so we can fight like men. Leave them out of this.”

“Heh,” Kaneshiro chortled. “You think someone playing dress-up scares me?” Naoko grabbed Kaneshiro’s arm and twisted it. “GAH!”

“I’m not playing,” Naoko explained. “You saw what I did to some of your goons, right? Well that’s only a sample of what I’m going to do to you. You will pay for your sins with your LIFE!”

He twisted Kaneshiro’s arm harder. “AH!” Kaneshiro yelped in pain.

“NAOKO!” Makoto called out. Naoko looked at her. “STOP!”

Naoko let go, while Kaneshiro fell to the ground. “This isn’t your fight Makoto. Run while you still have the chance.”

“No,” Makoto said.

“What?” Naoko replied.

“This IS my fight” Makoto said, filled with determination “This man has been harassing my fellow students.”

“This man is DANGEROUS!” Naoko argued.

“Don’t you think I know that?” Makoto retorted. “But I have to try. Otherwise, what am I?”

Naoko walked over. “You’re a student. Your job is to get good grades, get into a good college, and have a good life. Not take on some mobster with a known body count of 22!”

“STOP!” Makoto shouted, surprising everyone. “Quit telling me what to do! If I’m supposed to be in charge of what I do, why is everyone else telling me what it should be, or what I am?! I’m the student council president, and I’m supposed to protect my own! But no one trusts me because of what other people have placed upon me, and I’m SICK of it! I want to earn that trust back by doing whatever it takes! So you either help me, or GET OUT OF MY WAY!”

Kaneshiro stood up in this moment where everyone else was distracted. “GUARDS!” He called out. More shadows appeared as Kaneshiro retreated into the bank. The thieves rushed to protect Makoto, while Naoko had already begun.

Meanwhile, a voice was ringing out inside Makoto’s head. “Have you decided to tread the path of strife?”

Makoto was struggling. She fell to her knees. “Yes,” she answered.

“Very well,” the voice continued. “Let us proceed with our contract at once. I am thou, thou art I... You have finally found your own justice. Please..Never lose sight of it again.” A mask appeared on Makoto’s face. “This memorable day marks your graduation from your false self.”

Makoto ripped it off, shouting “JOHANNA!” Blood sprayed out of her face. A blinding light surrounded her. Once the dust settled, Makoto was dressed as a biker, and her Persona had manifested as a motorcycle she was riding.

“Woah!” Ryuji said.

“I’m impressed!” Morgana exclaimed.

“Hm” Ren smiled.

Makoto revved up Johanna. “JAH!” she belted out, as she began attacking the shadows. Between her, the other thieves, and Naoko, the shadows were dealt with. Afterwards, Makoto was out of breath. “Woah…”

Naoko looked at them. “Tell me: Are these the rumored Phantom Thieves?”

Makoto looked up. “Yeah... I asked them to help me... And now... I’m joining them...”

“I see,” Naoko said. He reached his hand out. “We can work together, you know. Taking down criminals left and right.”

Makoto was still out of breath. “Sorry” Ren said, stepping in. “But so long as your plans involve murder, we can’t accept.”

Naoko retracted his hand. “Very well. I will allow you to try your way. But make no mistake, I don’t intend to lose. Kaneshiro will stop at nothing to get his way. You have to be willing to do the same in order to take him on.”

“I’ll stop where I want!” Makoto yelled. Naoko stared, nodded, and then leapt away.

The thieves looked around. “Let’s call it here for today” Yusuke suggested. Everyone nodded and they all went back to the real world.

Once they were back, Makoto was again stunned. “Woah. That just happened.”

“Yeah,” Jose said. “But it was pretty cool.”

“Boy, I’ll say,” Morgana said. “I’ve never seen a motorcycle persona before!”

“Yeah,” Makoto said. “Wait, the cat talks here too?”

“I am NOT a cat!” Morgana said, holding his position.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Makoto said. “Then what are you?”

“Well…” Morgana said.

“This is Morgana. He’s a creature from the same person who gave us the app,” Ren explained. “He just has the form of a cat.”

“OK” Makoto said, taking this alright. “Why is he here?”

“He was always here,” Ren explained. “I usually carry him around in my bag. But you couldn’t hear him speak unless you go to that other world.”

“Oh” Makoto said. “How peculiar.”

“Yeah, that’s one way to describe him,” Ryuji remarked.

“Can it!” Morgana said. “At least I’m not a loud mouth.”

“Those two argue from time to time,” Ren said. “Don’t worry about it.” She reached her hand out. “For now, welcome to the team.” Makoto smiled. She gathered what strength she had left to accept Ren’s handshake, and accept the title of Phantom Thief.

Notes:

THAT was a meaty chapter.

I was going to include the Julian and Angel bit from the first Saturday in Shinjuku last chapter, but I think it worked out better that I fully contextualized the gag of "this is what saves them from being accused of assault" because, well, they're not everyone's favorite characters.

The name/title Crusader came from a conversation I had with my brother about this. He suggested it, and I think it works really well. I liked the comment suggestions of Rebel and Conqueror, but it doesn't fit like Crusader does.

If you're incredibly knowledgeable about P5R, or have the SMT wiki up, you'll notice that the original end date for the Kaneshiro palace is the 9th, and the 11th is actually the meeting of Ren, Akechi, and Kasumi. I decided to change it because Naoko's vengeance is partially fueled by the death of Makoto's dad, so I wanted it to be that day. Makoto's dad's death doesn't have a canon date as far as I know, and if it were on the 9th in the original game, I think Makoto might have said something about that. As for the Ren-Akechi-Kasumi meeting, I was thinking of getting rid of it entirely because the original reason for it makes no sense to do in the context of this fic. But if I can figure out a way to rework it, it might get pushed back a little.

Anyways, Makoto's now a Phantom Thief, the palace is open, and we have a date to steal the treasure by. All and all, things are coming up Phantom Thieves.

Chapter 57: Ducks in a Row

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

That night. Sae stood in front of a doorway. She knocked. Naoko answered. “Ah, Sae. What brings you here?”

“Don’t play dumb with me!” She shouted. She held up the manifesto. “Did you really think I wouldn’t know this was from you? I could turn you in, you know.”

Naoko looked at it. “Ah, I think I heard some of my buddies who are still on the force talking about this.”

“Cut the crap!” Sae said.

Naoko chuckled. “Sorry. But you can’t pin this on me with just this little note. Have you found any hard evidence that points this to me?” Sae glared at him. “Still, even if I was the one behind it, why bother coming to me at all?”

“I’m giving you a chance to stop,” Sae said. “As a courtesy to my father.”

“Heh,” Naoko said. “Classic Sae; always wanting to help others, but doesn’t know how to show it.”

“Forgive me for not be appreciative of premeditated murder” Sae shot back.

Naoko was impressed with Sae’s tenacity. But he was still unshaken from his new found path. “Tell me, is this manifesto the first new thing you’ve heard about Kaneshiro? At least for a while?”

“Why do you ask?” Sae responded.

“I’m just saying,” Naoko said. “Another trademark of Classic Sae is that you’re always so focused on everything else that you don’t know what’s going on in front of your own eyes.”

Sae got angrier. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Naoko chuckled. “How IS Makoto doing these days?”

Sae grabbed Naoko. “You leave her out of this!”

“How can I when she’s already in so deep?!” Naoko retorted. The two stared at each other for a while.

Eventually, Sae let go, and proceeded to leave. “I can’t protect you if you get caught, you know” she threatened before she got out of earshot. Naoko had a blank look on his face as he closed the door.

The next day, Makoto met with the student council. She stood firm. “OK. We’ve been looking into the incidents of students being harassed by gang members, and we’ve gotten rather far. However, I think we’ve reached the end of our capacity to do anything.” There were some murmurs, while Kisa looked disheartened. “However,” Makoto continued, causing Kisa to perk up a little, “I have given the information to people who can help solve the problem. So we can rest assured that this will be resolved. When is a little ambiguous, but it will be before exams. With that, you are dismissed.” Everyone nodded and broke off. Well, almost.

Kisa stood still as everyone left. When the last person left, she told Makoto. “Thank you.” Makoto nodded. Kisa left.

After Kisa left. Makoto loosened up a litte, then got serious. “The real fight starts now.”

After school, Ren messaged Makoto.

Ren: You busy?

Makoto: Not really. Why?

Ren: I was thinking we could head out as a group to get our facts straight.

Ren: And since you’re part of the group now…

Makoto: I see.

Makoto: I’m glad to.

Ren: Great!

Ren: I guess just meet us outside.

They put their phones away and met up; heading toward the access panel hideout. Once they arrived, Ren said “So, here we are. I know it’s not much, but it is what it is.”

“Huh,” Makoto said. “Isn’t this a bit open?”

“Well, that’s sort of the point,” Sumire said, defending the choice. “We’re essentially hiding in plain sight.”

“Right, but if someone is looking for you, they might not have to look all too hard,” Makoto said. “Before all of this, I have followed you here a few times in my investigations of you.”

“Oh” Sumire said, dejected.

“However, I think I may have a solution!” Makoto said. “Oh, but I’m new here. I might be overstepping my bounds a bit.”

Ren smiled. “Not at all. We’re a team here. Everyone’s input is valid.”

“Well, in that case, ” Makoto said, “I have an ice cream shop with our name on it.”

“Ummmm” Sumire said. “It’s not that I don’t like that idea, but we did discuss this before, and we decided that maybe going to a food place for our hideout might be a bit of a distraction.”

“Oh. Yeah, I guess I can see that” Makoto said. “Well, does anyone mind the hideout being in Kichijoji then? I know of a place there that could work.”

“Well, it IS a fair distance away,” Yusuke noted. “And I only have so much money…”

“Um, we can just use the Metaverse funds,” Ryuji said.

“Wait, that place gives out real money?” Makoto said. “Isn’t that dangerous?”

“Well, if it is, it’s too late now,” Ren said. “But I haven’t had any problems. It’s almost as if the economy is taking this all into consideration.”

“Well, I haven’t heard about any big economic problems…” Makoto thought. “So, I guess it’ll be alright.”

“Hold on,” Ann said. “While money might not be an issue, we’d have to go from Shibuya to Kichijoji, then back to Shibuya for any missions..”

“Oh. Right” Makoto said.

“Well, maybe we can go to this place just to hang out sometime” Ryuji offered.

Makoto smiled. “I’d like that.”

“So, I guess we’re staying here then,” Jose said. “Unless we have any other ideas.”

“I think here is fine for now,” Yusuke said. “But this Kaneshiro person IS a rather big fish. Once we change his heart, it might be a good idea to find someplace else to meet up.”

“That’s a good point,” Makoto said. “And if and when Naoko’s note goes public, that’ll only further fan the flames.”

“Speaking of Kaneshiro though,” Morgana interjected, “that’s something else we need to discuss. Our previous two big targets are ones at least some of us were familiar with. This will be the first time we’re going in mostly blind.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “On the one hand, that’s a sort of comfort. We’re not learning anything deep and disgusting about someone we know already.”

“But on the other hand, that doesn’t prepare us well for what’s to come,” Sumire countered. “Which is a difficulty of its own.”

“True” Yusuke agreed. “Sometimes when you roll the iron dice, you come up snake eyes. So maybe some knowledge would be beneficial in tipping that scale.”

“Well, from what Kisa has told me from her interaction, he’s really aggressive and belligerent,” Makoto explained. “He’s really more invested in his bottom line than anything, and he’ll do anything to get it.”

“You said you’ve done some research as well…” Ann added.

“Yes,” Makoto replied. “He’s a really big name in the criminal underworld. Although, from what I could tell, he’s a bit different from people you’d usually find down there.”

“How so?” Morgana asked.

“I’m not sure entirely, but from the looks of things, even some in the criminal underworld are afraid of him,” Makoto explained. “And those who aren’t seem almost disgusted with him.”

“Huh. Maybe this uniqueness might explain why HE’S the gangster with a palace” Jose rationalized.

“That’s not a bad assumption,” Ren said.

“Hm,” Ryuji grunted. “Sounds like this guy is gonna be coming at anyone who doesn’t like him with full force.”

“But at the same time, he sounds like he might have a few tricks up his sleeve,” Jose added.

“Yeah. Dude definitely fights dirty” Ryuji said.

“So we need a strong approach, but the ability to think on the fly,” Yusuke said. “Well, if that’s not Ren, I don’t know what is.”

“Aw, you’re making me blush” Ren said, grinning ear to ear. “But don’t just sing my praises.” She looked at Makoto. “Our newest recruit has that moxie in her too.”

Makoto was stunned. “Oh, well…”

“Don’t worry, it's a compliment” Ren said. “You’re one of us now.”

“Oh. Well then thank you” Makoto said, embarrassed about this for reasons she couldn’t explain.

“I think that’s everything we can surmise about Kaneshiro” Ann said. “So, what about Naoko?”

Makoto was surprised. “Oh, well, there’s a lot I know about him. In a lot of ways, he’s like a second father to me. He’s usually an affable person; that’s part of the reason he and my father worked so well together. My father was a little more reserved, but was always open to almost anything. They both knew when to take things seriously, but they also both knew when to crack jokes, or just have fun. Naoko was a bit more louder on that front though.

He’d come over sometimes, and we grew close. Eventually, we met his sister, and that’s when Kisa and I became friends. My father and Naoko would take us to the ice cream shop I mentioned earlier whenever they solved a big case. It was a nice little way of getting everyone in on the celebration.”

Makoto took a brief pause. “But when my father died in the line of duty, Naoko grew frustrated. He was upset not only by the loss of his partner and friend, but also that the police, the very institution he served, didn’t seem to take the investigation into it all that seriously. So, in a fury, he quit, and became a private investigator.”

“Woah,” Jose said.

“That’s quite a story…” Ann said.

After a moment of silence, Ryuji bursted out with “I’m sorry.” Everyone looked at him. “It’s just,” he sighed, “I told him about you, and Kisa, and then he figured it out, and it set him off on this crusade. If I hadn’t said anything…”

“Don’t beat yourself up, Sakamoto,” Makoto said. “Naoko is a brilliant detective. I’m sure he would have figured it out, especially if Kisa was involved.” Makoto grew serious again. “Naoko’s wife died of cancer four years into their marriage. So Kisa’s the closest thing he has to a child, so he’s very protective. My sister and I are the second closest, and he can be a bit protective with us too.”

“He’s lost his wife and his partner,” Yusuke remarked. “That’s...a lot to deal with…”

“But I get it,” Sumire said. “I’d hate to lose anyone else right now too…” Ren looked over, glanced around, and gave Sumire a gentle side-hug. Sumire smiled. “Thanks.”

“Right…” Makoto said, acknowledging she knows, but not actually saying anything.

After another silence, Jose summarized “So, Naoko is also bringing his full force to bear.”

“Yeah,” Makoto said. “Which means we need to swing for the fences ourselves. If we’re going to save Naoko and Kisa, and make Kaneshiro confess to his crimes, we CAN’T afford to slip up.”

Ren started up a slow clap. Pretty soon, the rest of the Phantom Thieves joined in, aside from Morgana because paws can’t clap, but he wanted to. “Spoken like a true leader,” Ren said.

“Oh” Makoto said, surprised and embarrassed. “But aren’t you the leader?”

“Of the Phantom Thieves, sure” Ren said. “But you’re the head of the student council, and I can see why now.”

“Speaking of, I should also apologize,” Ann said. “I was really frustrated with the whole Kamoshida thing, and I thought you were among the people who wouldn’t hear me when I was screaming, and I took out some of my frustration on you. But I realize now that you would. So, I’m sorry.”

Makoto walked up and gave Ann a hug. “It’s OK. I’m sure it wasn’t easy what you were going through. And I get it. You thought those things of me because someone wanted you to. But now I’m working on trying to find myself and stand up for who I am. If anything, I’m the one who’s sorry.”

Ann broke out in tears and hugged Makoto back. After she finished crying, Ann grew determined. “I forgive you. You had a lot of pressure on you too. I can’t be mad at that. I know what that's like.”

Makoto smiled. “I forgive you too, Takamaki.”

Ann giggled. “Thanks. But, um, could you just call me Ann? And could I just call you Makoto?”

Makoto giggled in response. “I don’t see why not.” She looked over the group. “I think the offer extends to everyone as well. We’re all friends, right?”

“Of course,” Yusuke said.

“Uh-huh,” Jose said.

“Yeah!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“I’d like that,” Sumire said.

“I’ve been kind of doing it anyway,” Ren admitted.

“Heh heh” Morgana chuckled. “Makoto’s good for this world… But what do we call you, shall we say, professionally?”

“What?” Ryuji said.

“Her thief name…” Morgana said. “I was trying to be discreet.”

“You could just say it outright,” Ryuji fired back. “Only we can hear you, ya know.”

“Well, it’s still cool…” Morgana retorted.

“Hm, that is a good question, regardless” Ren said. She turned to Makoto. “Well what do you want to be?”

“Oh, what about ‘Biker’?” Ryuji suggested.

“Pass!” Makoto said. “It’s too obvious.”

“I agree,” Yusuke said.

“Your name is FOX’ Ryuji said. “If that’s not obvious…”

“It is,” Yusuke agreed. “But my name is reflective of a bold stroke, and as an artist, I prefer that boldness. But Makoto is more elegant and tactical. She should have a name that reflects as such.”

“Thank you, Yusuke,” Makoto said, smiling.

Ryuji hung his head. “One of these days, I really need to learn to shut my mouth.”

“Why not ‘Prez’?” Ann suggested. “Since she’s the student council president.”

“Well, that’s also a bit obvious,” Makoto informed her. “Just in a different direction.”

“Oh” Ann said.

“Heh heh” Ren chuckled. “Elegant? Tactical? I have a name that’s all that AND more.”

“Oh? By all means” Makoto invited.

“‘Queen’” Ren suggested.

Makoto thought about it. She smiled. “Queen it is.”

“Heh heh” Morgana chuckled. “I was just about to suggest that as well.” Ren raised her first up. Morgana bumped it with his paw.

“So, now that that’s all settled” Sumire said, “all that’s left is to finalize the end date.”

“Right,” Makoto said. “The note Naoko left was fairly clear. He’s going to find and kill Kaneshiro by the 11th of July. So, we have until then.”

“Well then, I suggest we get prepared,” Ren said. Everyone nodded. “Dismissed.” Everyone smiled and headed off in their own direction.

That night, at the Niijima household, Makoto and Sae were eating dinner. Sae was glancing at Makoto. Makoto took notice of this. “Is something on your mind?” Makoto asked.

Sae looked deep into her eyes. “Is there anything going on I should know about?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” Makoto responded.

“Are you doing alright?” Sae continued. “Outside of school stuff?”

It took Makoto a second to realize. She read the manifesto too. Of course she would know Naoko wrote it. Does that mean she met with him? Makoto answered “Oh. Well, the truth is, there have been some incidents of gangsters harassing some of the students.”

Sae slammed the table. “What?”

“Ah,” Makoto yelped.

Sae glared at her, but slid her fist back down to her side. “Sorry. But why didn’t you say anything?”

“Well, I wanted to gather as much information as I could before I told you…” Makoto said. “But things got out of hand, and in a desperate move…”

Sae was concerned. “What?”

“...I posted a message asking the Phantom Thieves for help,” Makoto finished.

“WHAT?!” Sae said, surprised.

“I know,” Makoto said. “It was dumb, but I didn’t know what else to do. But I realized I shouldn’t, and deleted the post like 15 minutes after I made it. But the Phantom Thieves took notice of it anyway, and started messaging me.”

“They MESSAGED you?” Sae said, still in disbelief.

Makoto nodded. “And they’re using some sort of advanced programming, so the messages were deleted. They really don’t want to leave a trace. So, they agreed to help me, and I helped them out too by giving them the information I collected.”

Sae looked at Makoto, and then the table. This SOUNDS a bit suspicious,  she looked back up, but I don’t think Makoto would lie about this kind of thing. Perhaps Naoko stumbled across the investigation the Phantom Thieves were making with Makoto’s information. If that’s the case, he might know who they are, or at least one of them. Still, I don’t think he’s in the mood to tell me right now. Sae sighed. “Well, I’m glad you told me the truth.”

Makoto sighed. “Thanks sis.”

“Just try to be more careful in the future,” Sae reminded her. “You might be safe now, but if things even remotely look like they might get out of hand, you come tell me right away. Or at least someone who can handle it.”

“Right…” Makoto said, feeling a sting that was unintended and unnoticed by Sae, but it hurt all the same.

Later, when Makoto was in her room, pondering her sister’s behavior and attitude, she thought aloud “Sis… You’ve changed too… I know the you I once knew is in there somewhere…” She glanced at her phone. Curious, she picked it up, loaded the Metaverse app, and gently whispered “Sae Niijima.”

“Match found” the phone responded. Makoto looked at it. Her sister’s name was in black, but unlike Kaneshiro’s the two following lines were also in black. Makoto was a little relieved, since no one was trying to actively kill her sister, but at the same time, she grew worried, since her sister had a palace of her own.

“Well… if no one’s trying to kill her…” Makoto said. “It might be better to hold onto this for now…” She set her phone down, changed into her pajamas, and got under her covers to go to sleep.

Notes:

A fun bit of trivia, that first part was going end the previous chapter, but it was running long, and I felt it better ending on the high of Makoto being officially welcomed into the team. If it ended after that, I feel like some of that steam would be taken away.

Anyway, I am really liking these preparation chapters. Especially here, since a lot has changed, but in general, I think they're a fun way of highlighting some things, as well as clearing some air, and getting some nice character interactions too. I am wondering what I am going to do for future stuff. As I reminded myself, Sae has a palace too. It's not like I forgot, but it made me start thinking about some of the stuff that comes with that as well.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 58: New Beginnings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day after school, Makoto messaged Ren.

Makoto: Hey.

Makoto: I know that we should work on the whole Kaneshiro-Naoko thing,

Makoto: But I want to feel a little more confident in myself before we begin.

Makoto: Can we talk?

Ren: Sure.

Makoto: Great!

Makoto: Meet me up by the student council room.

Ren headed up to the student council room. Makoto was standing outside of it. “Ah, please come in.” Ren headed in, and Makoto followed behind her. They sat down across from each other. Makoto sighed.

Ren was curious. “What’s up?”

“Hm,” Makoto muttered. “I’ve been feeling a little listless.” Ren was intrigued. “For so long, people have been putting expectation after expectation, and label after label on me. I’ve always hated it, but I never felt like I could do much about it. But now I feel freer than ever.”

Makoto groaned. “But it’s hard for me to figure out my new found freedom. I know I don’t want to be some puppet on a string, but figuring out what I DO want is a bit more challenging. Of course, I want what’s best for the students, and I want to forge my own path, but what that is is a little more...complicated.”

“I see,” Ren said. “That is complicated.”

“I feel like you’d be the best person to ask about this, since you seem so free,” Makoto said.

“The most free person you know is someone on probation. Ironic” Ren said.

Makoto rolled her eyes. “See? It’s things like that.” They both shared a laugh. “So, I was thinking that I could try doing more things kids my age are doing.”

“And you want my help with that?” Ren asked. Makoto nodded. “Well, I guess I could help.”

“Thank you,” Makoto said.

Ren smiled. “So, do you have any ideas?”

“Well… I haven’t been to an arcade in a while…” Makoto said.

“THAT sounds like a wonderful idea” Ren replied.

“Well then, let’s go,” Makoto said cheerfully. The two headed off. Once they arrived, Makoto took it all in. “Wow.” She turned to Ren. “Um, do you have any suggestions?”

“Well, I like this gun game here,” Ren answered.

“I guess that’s as good a start as any,” Makoto responded. She walked up, put some money in, and started playing. She was a little hesitant at first while she was trying to figure out how the game works. “Wha? WOAH! GAH!” Soon, she was getting into it. “TAKE THAT!” Once the game ended, Makoto was breathing heavily. She regained her composure. “Well, I think that went well.”

“I’ll say,” Ren said. “You managed to get a really good score despite this being your first time. You’re a pretty fast learner.”

Makoto blushed. “Thanks.” She giggled. “You know, I’ve always been smart. I study a lot. I've even developed different methods of memorizing different pieces of information.”

“THAT’S going to be handy in the Metaverse” Ren noted.

Makoto chuckled some more. “But what you said earlier was the first time I’ve been complimented on my own merit, at least in a while.” Ren seemed confused. “It’s always ‘I should have known, you’re sister’s smart too’ or ‘just like a Niijima’. Even stuff like ‘you really are your father’s daughter’ got to me after a while. I don’t want to say my sister or my father aren’t smart or anything, but,” she sighed, “I want to be appreciated too, you know?”

Ren slowly walked up to Makoto and gave her a hug. “I do.” Makoto smiled, and gave her a hug back. They eventually stopped. “So, what do you want to do now?”

“Well, I am a bit parched,” Makoto said. “I’m going to go get something to drink.” She walked to a vending machine. After she made her purchase, she heard a loud thud. She turned over to see two Shujin boys, one of whom was pinning the other to the wall. She walked over. “What’s going on. She got a closer look to see that the two boys were making out, causing all three to be surprised. “I’m so sorry.”

“Please don’t report us!” one boy yelped.

“Huh?” Makoto said.

Ren came looking for Makoto. “Oh hey. You were taking a while.” She noticed the two boys, one of whom was in her class. “What’s going on?”

“Ah!” the other boy screamed.

“Well...it’s a bit awkward…” Makoto said. “But the long and short of it is I thought this guy was shaking down this guy...but they were making out…”

“Oh” Ren said, taken aback.

“Mmmmm” the first guy groaned.

The other boy sighed. “I guess we should have expected the student council president to not be on our side.”

Ren was confused. “Hey!”

Makoto put her hand up. “I’ll deal with this.” Ren smiled and nodded. “Now, what makes you think I’m not on your side?”

“Oh, well,” the second boy stammered. “You told someone else about us.”

“Right,” Makoto said. “But she’s a friend. I trust her with this information.”

“Well, how do we know you’re not going to tell the principal?” the first boy asked.

“The principal?” Makoto asked.

The second guy sighed. “Yeah. He caught us...you know...and he threatened to expel us if he caught us again.”

Makoto was stunned. She smiled “Hm. Well, you don’t need to worry.” The boys were curious. “You’re secret’s safe with me. Principal Kobayakawa and I haven’t been seeing eye to eye recently, and this just goes even further in our divide.”

The two boys looked at each other. “How can we be certain?” the first one asked.

“Um, well…” Makoto said, struggling for an answer.

Ren smiled. “Because, she’s friends with me.” The three of them looked confused. “I just happen to be a lesbian. And if Makoto’s cool with me, she’s cool with you.”

“You’re a lesbian?” the other boy asked.

“Problem?” Ren replied.

“No,” the second boy said. “I’m just a bit relieved, is all. It feels nice to know that there are others like us in school.”

Ren smiled. “The feeling is mutual.”

“So, you won’t tell Principal Kobayakawa?” the first boy asked.

“Absolutly not” Makoto said.

“Thanks” they said together. They noticed that, blushed, grabbed each other’s hands, and went to find someplace a little more private to finish making out.

Makoto turned to Ren. “Um, was that real?” she asked. Ren seemed confused. “Because I was about to say the same thing as a ploy...but it didn’t feel right to lie to them like that.”

Ren looked at Makoto. “Yeah. I’m actually a lesbian.” Makoto sighed, relieved. “Is that actually a problem?”

“Of course not,” Makoto said. “I learned at a young age that people should be accepted no matter who they are.” Ren thought about that, smiled, and nodded. “But my question now is why do you feel comfortable telling me, or even them?”

“Well,” Ren began, “you told me you wanted to forge a new path; one that’s defined by you. But as much as I admire self-determination, it can be hard to do on your own. However, since I came to Tokyo, and made friends with people, I feel like I’ve grown. So, I want to show you that progress can be made.”

Makoto smiled. “Huh. I see. Thank you.” She began thinking. “I guess as much as doing things kids my age do can teach me, it’s worth interacting with them and seeing who they really are. And if I want to be the best student council president I can be, I have to be willing to fight for who students are, rather than what’s popular. I think I’m starting to understand.”

She turned to Ren. “But I don’t think I would have reached this conclusion without you being there. So, thank you. Thank you for helping out with that situation earlier. Thank you for being honest with me. And thank you for making me want to be a better person.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Priestess Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 1

“Well, shall we continue?” Makoto said. Ren nodded. They headed back to play some more arcade games. “Oh. Um, does anyone else know? About…?”

Ren smiled. “Just Morgana, Ann, and Ryuji.”

“Why not Yusuke, Jose, or Sumire?” Makoto asked.

“Well...that’s a bit complicated…” Ren said. She started to blush.

Makoto analyzed Ren. “Wait...Sumire?!” Ren blushed harder. “I see…”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“Well, whenever you’re ready, I’ll be there for you,” Makoto said. “Let’s play some games.” The two spent some more time in the arcade.

Once they had gone their separate ways, Ren checked her phone. She had received some messages from Mishima.

Mishima: So, that Ohya woman…

Mishima: She was...kind of scary…

Mishima: Of course, I’d do anything for the Phantom Thieves.

Mishma: But please don’t make me do that again.

Ren: Are you alright?

Mishima: Well, I guess…

Mishima: She didn’t do anything elicit.

Mishima: She’s just a lot.

Ren: I see.

Ren giggled to herself.

Ren: I don’t know how you expect to get a date.

Ren: All the best girls are a lot.

Mishima: HEY!

Ren: Relax. I understand. I’m just teasing you.

Ren: You are absolved from meeting with Ohya.

Ren: Unless you want to.

Mishima: ...Thanks…

Ren checked some new sites to see if Ohya’s article went live. Sure enough, she found an article “Boy M. Tells All About Shujin Incident.”

Meanwhile, at Crossroads, Ohya was having a drink. Lala was glaring at her. “What?”

“You need to tell her what happened,” Lala insisted.

“I will,” Ohya said, downing more of her drink. “Just give me time.”

“NO!” Lala said. “I’m cutting you off until you do something about this. She could be in trouble for all we know.”

Ohya looked at Lala. “You’re really serious about this.” Lala continued to glare. “Ugh, fine. She got out her phone.

Ohya: Hey kid. Can you come over?

Ohya: There’s something you should know.

Ren was stunned, but she messaged back.

Ren: Sure.

Ohya: Great.

Ohya: See you later.

“There,” Ohya said. “She’s coming.”

“Why didn’t you tell her over the phone?” Lala asked.

“Because I’ve only had one drink so far,” Ohya said. “I’m not drunk enough to forget how stern you are. If I said I did that, you’d just tell me I’m lying.” Lala chuckled. Soon after, Ren arrived. “HEY! It’s you!”

“Yup, it’s me!” Ren said, not really sure what was going on.

Ohya turned to Lala. “Can I have a drink now?”

“Not until you tell her,” Lala replied.

“Tell me what?” Ren asked.

Ohya sighed. “Ugh. Fine.” She turned to Ren. “Listen. After you left Saturday, this detective came in. He apparently knew I told you something, and wanted to know what that was.”

“Did you tell him?” Ren asked.

“Well, I didn’t want to,” Ohya said bitterly. “But he had something I wanted.”

“It was really impressive,” Lala said, adding to the explanation.

“So, yeah” Ohya said.”I told him.”

“Hm,” Ren said.

“Can I have a drink now?” Ohya said. “I need it.”

Lala began fixing up a drink for Ohya. She looked at Ren. “Well, what do you think?”

Ren smiled. “I understand.”

This shocked Ohya. “You do?”

Ren nodded. “You’re only human.”

Ohya chuckled, then sighed. “I’ve gotta tell ya, as a reporter, it’s rare to find anyone that’s human these days, myself included. So thanks.” She sighed. “Because of that article I did, my boss wants me to be THE Phantom Thieves journalist. Ugh. Talk about sensationalism.”

Ren sensed an opportunity. “I could help with that.”

Ohya was shocked. “Really? After I betrayed your trust?”

“You did no such thing” Ren informed her. “You got some information out of it. And to be completely honest, that whole thing was helpful in the end.”

Ohya was confused. “How so?”

Ren was ready to lie her ass off. “Well, you see, after I made a big splash during that TV interview defending the Phantom Thieves, the Phantom Thieves got in contact with me. They needed help finding their next big target.”

“Oh” Ohya said. “Huh.”

“Apparently, they told me that there was some intervention the day after I told them what you told me, but they said it helped them figure some more things out afterwards” Ren said.

“I see,” Ohya said.

“So now, I figured I could help the Phantom Thieves more by talking about what I know with you” Ren said.

“And what do you want in exchange?” Ohya said.

Ren giggled. “Well, as demonstrated, I am a fan of the Phantom Thieves.”

“I see. So you want me to lionize them?” Ohya said. “Alright. I at least owe you that much.”

“So, what do you want to know?” Ren asked.

“Shhhhhhhh” Ohya said. “Later. Tonight, we celebrate. LALA-CHAN! SOME DRINKS! I have a new partnership!” Without saying anything, Lala gave Ohya some booze, and Ren some water. “I GUESS this will do” Ohya said, rolling her eyes. She raised her glass. “Still, cheers.” Ren raised her glass and clinked it.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Devil Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Devil: Ichiko Ohya: Rank 1

Ren and Ohya shared a few more drinks before Ren went home for the night.

Notes:

I will say, trying to figure out the pacing is the hardest during the actual length of the palace time limits. Mainly because there's not really any story to focus on, and I am dealing with the confidants, both old, and in this case, new. There is more than enough time to get them all done, especially since I'm not bound by the points system and don't have times where they don't go up, but figuring out a balance is another thing entirely. Still, I'm going to give it a try. I do kind of want them all wrapped up by the end of the year, but if I don't make it, it'll be fine. I can do some in third semester. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 59: A Deeper Look

Notes:

So, these pure confidant chapters; they're only going to increase in number. When I was talking to some of my friends about this, one of them said I should have split up the plot and the confidants. I do this in my original Persona story because I write that as if I was trying to replicate a Persona game, but for this story, I wanted it to be more narrative. The idea of breaking it into two separate things seemed odd, since plot stuff and confidant stuff might be more mixed. I did eventually start a side-story, but that's a SIDE story for whatever that's worth. Besides, it's a bit too late to separate them now.

However, I could start labeling what chapters are pure confidants if that's something you'd be interested in. If you're the type who's only interested in story stuff, this could serve as something to help you not waste time. Plus, since there's going to be more as time goes on, it might be a bit overwhelming to have chapter after chapter be about confidants with the plot kind of taking a back seat for a bit. Although, if you are that person, I don't know if you're still here, but if you are, tell me. Otherwise, I'll keep going as I have been.

Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

On Thursday, Ren got a message from Yusuke.

Yusuke: Pardon me, but do you think we could go to Mementos, just the two of us?

Ren: That’s an unusual date spot.

Yusuke: Ah! Forgive me. I wasn’t asking you out on a date.

Ren: ...I know...I was just teasing you…

Yusuke: Ah. Forgive me. I’m not used to being “teased”.

Ren: I can tell…

Yusuke: So, you forgive me?

Ren: Sure.

Yusuke: Very well.

Yusuke: So, is that a ‘yes’?

Ren: I guess…

Ren: Why just the two of us?

Yusuke: This isn’t meant as a proper traversal of Mementos.

Yusuke: Rather, I’d like to sketch Mementos if possible.

Yusuke: I would like to make it the focus of my next art piece.

Ren: So why am I coming?

Yusuke: Just for backup, if need be.

Yusuke: While we aren’t going in fully, I imagine shadows might pop up.

Ren: Yeah, that makes sense.

Yusuke: Plus, it gives us a chance to get to know each other better.

Ren: Right.

Ren: Let’s go!

Yusuke: Hold on, where are we meeting?

Ren: The usual spot, I guess.

Yusuke: Very well.

Ren and Yusuke met up and headed into Mementos.

They didn’t venture terribly far before Yusuke found a good place to begin his sketchwork. Ren began her patrol. “So,” Yusuke started asking, “how does this ‘teasing’ work?” Ren seemed confused. “I find it better to work when something else is occupying my time. Besides, one of the reasons I asked you was so that we can get to know each other better.”

“Right,” Ren said, somewhat awkwardly. “So, you wanna know about teasing?”

“Yes,” Yusuke said.

Ren was stunned. “Basically, it’s just saying things in a jokey, lighthearted tone to get a reaction.”

“Why do you do that?” Yusuke asked bluntly.

Ren continued to be stunned. She didn’t know how to react to someone with Yusuke’s disposition. So, she decided to remain honest. “Well, part of it is it’s fun, but mainly it acts as a barrier. A wall. A mask.”

“Hm,” Yusuke said. “I thought we were supposed to be getting closer.”

“We are,” Ren said. “I don’t do it all the time. Even now, I’m opening up to you.”

“Right, but why do it at all?” Yusuke pondered.

Ren paused for a moment. Any attempt at obfuscation would be met with more of Yusuke’s personal brand of blindness. In a way, it made a better wrecking ball than any aggressive attempt to break her. She sighed. “Well, you know I’m not from Tokyo originally.”

“Right” Yusuke answered.

“Back in my hometown, I wasn’t all too well liked,” Ren explained. “So, I put up these walls because I’m afraid. I’m afraid the next person I run into will hate me outright simply for just existing. If I pretend not to care, then maybe they won’t. And maybe I won’t either.”

“Huh,” Yusuke said. “I think I understand.”

“You do?” Ren asked.

Yusuke nodded. “There were plenty of times when I lived with Madarame where all I wanted to do was cry, or scream, or get upset, but I eventually grew to know that that would only make things worse.”

Ren was shocked. “Jeez. When you put it like that, my problems seem a little more trivial.”

“Ah, rest assured, I wasn’t trying to trivialize your problems,” Yusuke said.

“...Thanks?” Ren responded.

“Rather, I was trying to hearken back to our delicious hot pot celebration,” Yusuke explained. “Everyone was sharing their views on the world, and how that they’re all askew from the typical outlook. But in that askewed view, we found each other, and more importantly, we can save each other, and everyone else.”

Ren was once again stunned, but not out of confusion this time. Rather, she was impressed. She chuckled. “Thanks.” She looked at Yusuke’s sketch. “Um, if you don’t mind, why do you sketch?”

“It’s to get a reference so I can focus and take my time on the finished product” Yusuke answered.

“Right,” Ren said, running right back into Yusuke’s wit. “I mean, when Kosuke made that painting for me, he just took a picture.” Ren took out her phone. “Although I’m assuming our phones don’t function here. Which I guess is a net positive. If someone saw real evidence of all of this, it would cause problems.”

“Ah,” Yusuke said. “Well, that’s just a matter of personal preference. A lot of artists like sketching because it gives a sense of how they work with it right away. Kosuke even sketched a lot, but I’m assuming that this was more of a spur-of-the-moment kind of thing, rather than a big plan.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Yusuke stopped, took a look at what he had, and said “Alright, I’m finished.” Just then, a bunch of shadows showed up. “What impeccable timing. Joker! Let’s vanquish these foes together!” Ren nodded, and the two fought the shadows. It was an easy victory. “Boy, these shadows do not know how to pick a fight they can win.” He noticed something. “What’s this? It looks like one of those cards we’ve been picking up.”

“You’re right” Ren said, getting a good look at it. “This one’s blank though.”

“Right,” Yusuke said. “Maybe if I…” Yusuke drew on it. “Ah! It became real.”

“Wow” Ren said.

Yusuke thought about this. “Perhaps the fact that this is a world based on what one perceives, maybe by drawing on it, it gives it real power.”

“That makes sense,” Ren said. “If I find any more, I can give them to you. It works out for us, plus I assume this’ll be a nice way of keeping your sketching skills up.”

“Hm. A real Theo now, aren’t we?” Yusuke said.

“Um, that’s not my name…” Ren said.

“Ah. I should explain” Yusuke said. “When I say ‘Theo’ I am referring to Theo Van Gogh, the brother of Vincent. Vincent didn’t achieve fame in his lifetime, but found a supporter in his brother.”

“I see,” Ren said, impressed. “Well, if you ever need help with your art stuff, or anything in general, then I’ll be happy to be your Theo.”

“Thank you,” Yusuke said.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Emperor Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 1

“We should get going before any more shadows show up,” Yusuke said. Ren nodded, and the two quickly left Mementos.

Later that evening, Ren headed over to Untouchable to stock up. “Hey kid,” Iwai said, literally a split second after she walked in. “What impeccable timing.”

“I take it something happened?” Ren inquired.

“Well, something’s about to,” Iwai stated. “I’ve told you about Tsuda.”

“He’s the one you didn’t meet in the diner?” Ren asked, just to get her facts straight.

Iwai nodded. “He called me to set up a meeting soon.”

Ren was concerned. “Is that a good thing?”

Iwai grunted. “I doubt it, based on what we heard at the diner. Besides, out of everyone in the clan, Tsuda and I were the closest. We were practically inseparable. I know him like I know the back of my hand, and I know he’s up to something.”

“So, what happened when you, well, separated?” Ren asked.

Iwai smirked. “I asked him to come along too to be like an uncle to Kaoru, but he refused. He did help smooth things over with the higher ups though.” Ren chuckled slightly. “Hm. Anyways, let’s get back to business. I’d like to see what he’s up to, but the problem is Tsuda knows me just as well, so I can’t collect any information from my usual sources without tipping my hand.”

Ren smiled. “This is where I come in.”

“Sharp” Iwai complemented. “Tsuda knows ME quite well, but he has no idea about you. You’re my wild card.”

“They don’t call me ‘Joker’ for nothing” Ren said, a bit too excited.

“What?”

“What?”

Iwai was still confused, but decided to let it go. “Anyway, I just need you to ask around about anything big Tsuda’s done recently. “ He took out a piece of paper. “He’s a list of people who might be in the know; their general description, as well as where they’re likely to hang out. Can you investigate to see if you can find anything?”

Ren was a bit put off, because the last time she went investigating about a mobster, a former police officer got brainwashed into enacting murderous justice as his favorite superhero. Well, that’s not gonna happen twice in a row. Ren grabbed the list.

“Thanks kid,” Iwai said. “I’ll be here. You know my number. If anything happens, don’t hesitate to call, and if you get into REAL trouble, put me on speaker.” Ren nodded and headed out.

Ren searched around and found a scruffy looking guy hanging about. He matched one of the descriptions, so she approached him. “What do ya want?” he said, slightly angry at her approach.

Ren remained brave. “I’m looking for information on Tsuda.”

“Tsuda?” the guy said. “Who put you up to this?”

“That’s on a need to know basis” Ren said.

The man was curious, but concerned. “You with the cops?”

“Please,” Ren said. “I don’t trust the cops farther than I can throw them.”

The man laughed. “That's REAL disdain in your voice. Alright. You didn’t hear this from me, but apparently at the beginning of the year he struck a deal with the Hong Kong mafia for about 100 million yen.”

“Oh my” Ren said.

“That’s all I know,” the man said.

Ren nodded. “Thanks.” She took out some money. “For your efforts.”

“Heh. Keep it” the man said. “I’m a lost cause. You look like you can still climb out of whatever hole you’re in.” Ren was surprised, but walked off, nodding in appreciation.

Once she got back, she saw Iwai was on the phone. “Uh huh...yeah...of course...seeya then.” He hung up. He took notice of her. “Ah, you’re back. Find anything?”

“Something about a deal with the Hong Kong mafia worth 100 million yen at the beginning of the year,” Ren answered.

“I see,” Iwai said. “Say, did you have to pay for that? Cause I’ll reimburse you.”

Ren shook her head. “I tried, but he told me to keep it.”

“Woah, you talked to HIM?” Iwai said, surprised. “How’d you get him to talk to you?”

“He said I had ‘real disdain’ in my voice,” Ren explained.

“Makes sense” Iwai rationalized. “You told me you were arrested. I doubt that leaves much room in your heart for liking the police.” Ren shook her head. “Anyways, that was Tsuda on the phone. He just finalized the date of our meeting. So, maybe it’d be a good idea to not come around here too often for extended periods of time.”

Ren smiled. “Well then, mind if I do all of my shopping now?”

“Knock yourself out,” Iwai said. “But not really though. While they aren’t real weapons, they’re still kind of heavy.” Ren giggled. Ren proceeded to make her purchases. After Ren finished shopping, Iwai sighed. “Tell me, do you fear the unknown?”

Ren was alerted. “Where is this coming from?”

“It’s just,” Iwai sighed again, “I’ve known Tsuda for a while now. But ever since I left the mafia, we’ve grown apart you know. I’m just worried that the man I’m going to talk to won’t be the same.”

Ren could sense his tension, and decided to be honest. “Well, sorry, but you’ve asked the wrong girl for advice on this.” Iwai looked at her, surprised. “Aside from people I’ve met in Tokyo, I would LOVE to meet someone I’ve known for a while and not recognize them.”

Iwai got a laugh out of that. “I’ve been there before. That’s part of why I joined up in the first place. But then the whole thing with Kaoru happened, and I decided that he needed an honest shot. And if no one else was going to give it to him, I might as well try.”

He looked over Ren “Sounds like Tokyo is giving you an honest shot too. If you want my advice, figure out what’s really important before it’s too late. Once you know what that is, don’t let go.”

“How will I know what that is?” Ren asked.

“Heh” Iwai chuckled. “From what I’ve seen, you’re a smart kid. I’m sure you have something of an answer already. I’m just saying this to help you think some more.” Ren chuckled back. “Anyway, once I’ve had my meeting with Tsuda, I’ll message you, or something. Oh, and thanks for the info.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 4

Ren nodded, and left without saying anything else.

Notes:

The last time I did a chapter with Iwai, I did mention here that I was worried about chapter names. In THIS chapter, I found that the name tied everything together. I was sort of confused as to why I was lining up Yusuke and Iwai. I thought it'd make sense on a technical level, since Ren was making preparations, and about now would be the time for Yusuke's confidant to start, but I was wondering how that wored thematically. And as I was thinking of a name, it hit me, in Yusuke's half, we get into their traumas, and in Iwai's half, we learn more about his thought process, his past, and how he wants to handle things. And after I figured out the name, it made it so much easier and so much better to finish the Iwai half. Isn't it nice when things come together like that?

Chapter 60: Lifting Spirits

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren went to see Dr. Takemi Friday after school. As she was walking up, she was surprised to see Takemi standing outside of her office. She walked up to her. “What’s up, doc?” Takemi glared at her. “You know I had to do that at least once.”

Takemi continued her glare. “It’s not that,” she explained. “Although that doesn’t endear you to me in this moment either.”

“Sorry” Ren apologized.

Takemi sighed. “Ever since that girl and her family came in, I’ve been getting patients non-stop. Apparently, they’ve been telling people I’m ‘the most amazing doctor they’ve worked with’.”

“Isn’t that a good thing?” Ren asked.

“It’s a lot of work,” Takemi said, not really answering.

Ren smiled. “You can’t hide how much you love it from me.” Takemi looked at her menacingly. “I figured you’re already mad, might as well lean into it.”

Takemi rolled her eyes. She sighed. “I even told them about the medical error. But they’re so insistent that they come to me with their medical problems.”

“Well, you did save their daughter,” Ren explained, being sincere to Takemi for the first time today. “I’m assuming that that would color their opinion of you more than anything else.”

“Hm,” Takemi grunted. “I suppose that’s true.” She glanced off. “I never was in this for the prestige. I became a doctor because I genuinely wanted to help people. But now I’m in this kind of odd position. While I’m not unappreciative of the praise, it’s a bit...overwhelming for me.”

She looked down. “At the same time, despite basically being chased off, I do like not being caught up in the hustle and bustle of a big hospital. It gives me more time to focus on things like patients and medicine development, and not which nurse is sleeping with which doctor. But I guess with the increase in patients, I’m having my cake and eating it too.”

Ren gave a bit of an awkward smile, and placed a hand on Takemi’s shoulder, and said “Hey. Just take the little victories where you can.”

Takemi was a bit stunned, but then smirked and said “Sage advice. Of course, all of this is a bit your fault. You were the one that pushed me, you know?” Ren blushed and looked away sheepishly. “You should know when I get pushed, I have a tendency to push back.” Ren got confused and concerned. “Don’t worry. I just developed a new prototype for the medicine I’m working on. This stuff is strong. But you’ll be fine. It won’t have any adverse effect on you, since you don’t have the disease in question. Probably.” Ren was alarmed, but didn’t really say much to oppose Takemi. “Are you ready?”

“Um, can I do some shopping first?” Ren asked. “You know, in case it does have adverse effects.”

“Heh heh” Takemi chuckled. “Don’t worry. If it does, you’ll have ‘the most amazing doctor’ to help you.” Ren was surprised, then delighted. “You’re right. I do like the adoration.”

“Heh,” Ren chuckled slightly.

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 5

They both went inside, Ren made her purchases, and the test ran as usual. It was a bit stronger, but it wasn’t anything that Ren couldn’t handle. Comparatively, it felt like the first time she returned from the metaverse. Still, Ren was able enough to walk back to Leblanc OK, after saying goodbye to Takemi.

In her stupor, Ren was wondering what to do. She didn’t have the energy for much. It then dawned on her. She decided to request Kawakami’s maid services again. She went to the public phone and called the maid agency.

When Kawakami arrived in Ren’s room, Ren was sitting on the couch. “~Thank you for requesting me.~” Kawakami said, giving a curtsy. “Ugh,” Kawakami said. Ren slightly giggled, half because she couldn’t help but be playfully antagonistic to her teacher who was doing this, and half because Kawakami was genuinely being cute.

Kawakami looked around. “Um, is there anything I actually need to do?” Ren shook her head no. “Good.” She flopped onto Ren’s bed. “Ugh.”

“Rough day?” Ren asked.

“I’ve finally gotten clients doing this, but they made me do THE most labor-intensive things” Kawakami explained. “One guy asked me to walk his five dogs. Just hire a dog walker!”

“Well, that dog walker wouldn’t be dressed in a maid outfit, would they?” Ren retorted.

“If they’re THAT into it, just cut out the middleman and buy a maid outfit” Kawakami complained some more.

“Eh, maybe they’re also lazy,” Ren said.

“Ugh” Kawakami groaned.

Ren impishly giggled some more. “I guess we both just needed some time to relax.”

“What got you all out of sorts?” Kawakami asked.

“Drug trials” Ren answered honestly.

Kawakami gave her a puzzled look. She laid back down. “Whatever. I’m too tired to see if that’s true or not.”

Ren was slightly disappointed because she wanted Kawakami to press further, but understood that this was a stressful day for her. But she figured that that bitter honesty could come in handy. “So, if you don’t mind me asking, why are you doing all of this?”

“Huh?” Kawakami said, suddenly becoming more alert. “Uh, I have a really sick sister, you know? She’s got a lot of expenses, so I’m trying to help out.” Once Kawakami finished, she plopped her head back on Ren’s bed.

Ren understood this as explaining that was a strenuous task, and also a lie. She decided not to press it now, since neither of them were entirely in the mood for a long, drawn-out conversation. Instead, Ren said “Your sister’s very lucky to have someone like you.”

“Yeah, well no one else is,” Kawakami remarked.

“I’m not so sure,” Ren said. “I think I’m lucky to have a teacher like you.”

Kawakamii looked up again to see Ren flash a genuine smile. Kawakami smiled back at her. She laid her head down again. “I don’t know how often students actually say that to teachers. And I get it. You have your own things to worry about, and there’s still a lot of development that’s going on. But it is nice to hear once in a while, you know?”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I get it.”

Kawakami took note of Ren’s tone, and her teacher senses kicked in. “I’m lucky to have a student like you as well. I mean, I assume you have a lot on your plate, what with the whole arrest and everything, not to mention the stuff that happened once you got here. And yet you’re making time to help me out. I don’t know a lot of other students that would do that.”

“Well, you could ask,” Ren suggested, “but I doubt that more people knowing about this would be ideal.” She smiled. “But thank you.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 2

After a bit more rest, Ren got each of them some water. Once they finished drinking, Kawakami gave her farewell curtsy and was on her way; both women feeling better than before.

 

Notes:

It's been a while since I've been surprised by how SHORT a chapter is. Usually, I have a tendency to write out paragraph after paragraph like it was going out of style. But I don't think either of these really called for it.

I'm also surprised by some more usual things. Like finding a good combination, finding a good name for the chapter, or that I don't think I've reused a combination just yet. I'm kind of wondering when I will reuse a combination, but even then, I think it'd be fine.

I guess so long as I'm here, I have another thing to discuss. So, the way I do tags. I just add them as I go. So I don't add a tag to something until it's for sure in the story. This is why there's no tag for Futaba or Haru despite them definitely being a part of this. While I could just go through and add all the tags I'm going to use, 1. I'm probably going to miss some, knowing me, and 2. Ships. While it's obvious what characters might be in it, the ships that will set sail are more of a mystery, and I don't really want people to know until it's a bit more clear. But, if someone's just jumping on after a ship is in the story, then the whole thing seems like a moot point. But what do you guys think?

Anyways, before this becomes longer than the chapter, enjoy!

Chapter 61: 4 Targets

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, as Ren and Morgana were heading to school, Morgana popped his head out. “So, what are we doing today?”

“Well, I was thinking of going into Mementos,” Ren answered.”Take care of a few requests , as well as getting Makoto more acquainted with the Metaverse.” Morgana smiled, and nodded, and the two of them went to school.

During class, Ren took out her phone and messaged the group.

Ren: We’re meeting up today.

Makoto: Do you always text in class?

Ryuji: Woah! He really didn’t say anything.

Makoto: Who?

Ryuji: Nothing…

Makoto: I’ll ignore that for now.

Ann: So, are we going after Kaneshiro?

Ren: Not quite.

Ren: We have a few Mementos missions to take care of, and I feel like we should do those first.

Makoto: Mementos?

Sumire: Right. She wouldn’t know.

Ryuji: Mementos is everyone’s palace, I think.

Makoto: Could we attack Kaneshiro through there?

Jose: Nope.

Sumire: Palaces are formed when desires are so warped that they don’t fit in in Mementos.

Sumire: While Mementos itself is more of a collective of everyone else’s minds.

Yusuke: Mementos is quite fascinating actually. I’m interested to see what you think.

Makoto: Well, it sounds intriguing.

Ann: OK. Sounds like a plan.

Ren: See you after school at the hideout.

They put their phones away.

After school, they all arrived at the hideout. “So, how does this work?” Makoto asked.

Ren took out her phone and the sheet of paper Mishima gave her. “Well, it’s fairly simple. We make the target aware that we’re going to steal their treasure, then we go in and steal it.”

“That’s also how it works for palace rulers,” Morgana explained, “but unlike the palace rulers, we don’t have to do as much to get to them.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“We do usually end up having to fight them” Ann lamented.

“But it’s fine,” Ryuji added. “We don’t hurt them in real life this way.”

“But we can get hurt ourselves” Yusuke finished.

“Well...yeah…” Ryuji admitted.

Sumire smiled. “But that’s why we come prepared!”

Jose nodded. “And we also work together to overcome the odds.”

“Hm” Makoto grinned. “Sounds like you have this all down pat.”

“Well, as much as we can,” Ann said. “I mean, none of us even KNEW about this strange parallel world until Ren showed up.”

Ren shoved Ann. “Don’t make it sound like I brought it with me.”

Ann shoved back. “Why not? You were the chosen one in all of this.” The two girls shared a giggle as they continued to playfully fight each other.

“Well then,” Makoto said, causing them to stop, “let’s get crackin’.”

Ren nodded. She looked over Mishima’s paper. “Let’s see. First, we have our follow up. The person pressuring Daisuke into bullying: Yoshimori Sakoda.”

“Wait, someone was bullying Daisuke?” Makoto asked.

Sumire nodded. “Apparently, this guy had some blackmail on Daisuke, and he was using that to manipulate him.” Makoto looked disconcerted. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh!” Makoto exclaimed. “Well, when we confronted him, he brushed us off saying ‘there’s more going on than you know’. At the time, I thought it was just bluster. I did notice a change in his behavior recently too. Was that you?” They all nodded. “I see.” She grew a little frustrated.

“OK, next on Mishima’s list, we have a girl named Hikari Shimuzu,” Ren continued. “She’s been torturing this one guy, basically making him her slave. He’s been coming to school with bruises all over.”

“Sounds horrible!” Ann said. “We MUST put a stop to this!”

“Did he put the request in?” Jose asked.

“It doesn’t say,” Ren answered.

“Hm” Jose thought.

“What’s wrong Jose?” Sumire asked.

“Well, in my studies on humanity, I’ve heard of people who derive pleasure from pain,” Jose explained. Everyone else was stunned. “What’s it called again?”

“Even if that was the case, this sounds like it’s going too far!” Ryuji interjected.

“Oh?” Jose wondered. “And how do you know?”

“Uhhhhhhhhh” Ryuji stammered.

Yusuke jumped in. “Well, if someone thinks it’s enough of a problem to raise awareness of it on the Phan-site, it’s at least worth checking out.”

“Well put, Yusuke-senpai,” Sumire chimed in.

Ren nodded. “And last on the list is a restaurant manager named Nozumi Ono, who, according to the request, does little to no work, berates their employees for even the slightest mistakes, and takes all the credit and money for himself.”

“Disgusting” Makoto reacted.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Morgana added.

“Sounds like a total jerk” Ryuji piled on.

“So, we’re all in favor?” Ren asked. Yusuke raised his hand. “Yusuke?”

“If I may,” he began, “I found something I think we should investigate as well. A string of burglaries being tied to us.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shouted.

“Oh, those,” Jose said. “Well, from what I’ve heard, the perpetrator has been using calling cards that resemble ours, but apparently, not even the police believe them.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Morgana said sardonically.

“But they still don’t know who did it,” Jose said.

“If I may, I wasn’t finished” Yusuke said

“Sorry” Jose apologized.

“You are forgiven,” Yusuke assured him. “Ahem. I did overhear a student planning said burglaries.”

“Really?” Ann asked. “How’d you manage to swing that?”

“I’m not sure myself,” Yusuke replied. “I was just passing by, and he was talking to himself as if no one else was there.”

“Did he just not hear you coming?” Sumire said.

“I suppose so,” Yusuke answered. “Although, I am curious as to how he didn’t see me. I was walking toward him.” The rest of the group looked on blankly. “Well, whatever the case may be, I know who it is.”

“Great job, Yusuke” Makoto cheered him on in an embarrassed tone.

“Why thank you” Yusuke said, not picking it up at all. “His name is Kazyua Makigami.”

“I’ll ask Mishima to add him,” Ren said, texting Mishima.

“Oh, right,” Makoto said, realizing something. “Mishima-kun’s involved in this?”

“Yeah” Ren answered. “He’s in charge of the Phan-site.”

“Oh. I thought that was you guys” Makoto said.

“Well, he knows who we are,” Ryuji explained.

“But he’s on our side” Ann continued.

“Besides,” Ren said, “having him manage the site leaves more time to plan and do things like this.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “Well, as long as you trust him.”

Ren smiled and nodded. “I just sent the word to him. Are we ready?” Everyone else nodded. “Then let’s go.” They all headed into Mementos.

Upon entry, Makoto looked around. “Woah! This isn’t exactly what I expected. But it is interesting nonetheless.”

Ren smied. “Welcome, to the garden of madness.”

“Well, no time like the present,” Makoto said. She started to walk off the platform, but Ren and Sumire caught her.

“Woah, Queen-senpai,” Sumire said.

“What is it?” Makoto asked.

Ren and Sumire helped her back up. Ren then explained. “Memento is huge. It’s too big to walk through.”

Makoto was confused. “Then how do you get around?”

“Myeh heh heh” Morgana chuckled. “My time to shine! Transform!” He transformed into the car.

“Woah!” Makoto said.

“Heh heh” Morgana laughed.

Makoto thought about it. “So, this world is based around people’s perceptions…”

“Correct” Ann answered.

“And I’m guessing that this is because a lot of people have the image of cats turning into vehicles” Makoto went on.

“Also correct,” Ren added.

“But according to Mona himself, he’s not a cat,” Makoto finished. Everyone stood in silence for a few moments before Ren broke down laughing.

“Well…” Morgana began uncomfortably, “...I guess it’s because most people see me as a cat…”

“Oh. That makes sense” Makoto responded.

Ren finished her laughing fit. “Alright. We should get going. Hop in.” Everyone got in and they started driving off.

Once they reached the end of the first floor, Makoto was stunned. “That’s it?”

“No,” Ann answered.

“Then how big is it?” Makoto asked.

“No idea,” Ryuji responded.

“Huh,” Makoto remarked.

“We believe Eris is hold up at the bottom,” Ren explained.

“Oh!” Makoto said, excited. “So, we need to break through to the bottom?”

“Basically” retorted Ren. “Although to gain the ability to do so, we need to make a bigger name for ourselves as the Phantom Thieves.”

“I see,” Makoto pondered. “Well then, let’s give it all we got then!”

Sumire chuckled. “I love your attitude, Queen-senpai!”

“Although it seems easier said than done,” Yusuke explained.

“It seems like we have to play Eris’s game to be able to get to the bottom,” Jose iterated.

“I don’t care,” Makoto said. “If this Eris can turn someone like Naoko into someone willing to murder, I’ll do anything to put them in their place.”

“Woah! Scary” Ryuji remarked.

“No, I get it,” Yusuke said. “Eris really messed with someone she cared about. I have a similar feeling towards her about Kosuke.”

“I’m not saying I don’t get it,” Ryuji explained. “I’m just saying that she’s scary.”

“You want me to be sunshine and roses about this?” Makoto asked.

“That’s not what I meant either,” Ryuji continued.

“Just stop,” Ann said. “You’re going to keep digging a hole for yourself.”

“...Yeah” Ryuji relented.

Ren giggled. “I think what Skull’s trying to say is that if he is afraid of you, whoever we’re fighting better be incredibly worried.”

“Yeah. Something like that” Ryuji agreed.

Makoto nodded. “Very well.” They continued onward.

They came upon a portal and hopped in. “I think that guy is Yoshimori’s shadow,” Ryuji exclaimed. “The guy that’s been bullying Daisuke.”

“Well then, let’s put a stop to his reign of terror once and for all,'' Sumire said aggressively.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Makoto said, cracking her knuckles.

They walked up to him. “Tch. Looks like someone ratted me out.”

“Sure did,” Ren said. “And we’re going to put a stop to you and your fledgling school empire.”

“PAH!” Yoshimori spit. “I’d like to see you try!”

“He’s not trying to convince us to join him,” Yusuke remarked.

“We aren’t meeting on my terms,” Yoshimori explained. “I would have liked to ally with you, but apparently that Akechi boy was wrong. If I had your power, I’d make all bow before me.”

“Well that’s why we have it and not you!” Ann shouted.

“C’mon!” Yoshimori shouted. “Do you really think the people in the school care about scum like us? I’m just evening the odds.”

“By forcefully recruiting people!” Sumire snapped.

“Well, how else are you going to get people on your side?” Yoshimori asked. “Deep down inside, all people are nothing but selfish jerks.”

“Enough!” Makoto screamed. “You go on and on about how it’s you vs them, and you don’t even try to differentiate yourself. You’re no better than Principal Kobayakawa.”

“No better?” a shocked Yoshimori retorted. “No BETTER?!” He transformed into Black Frost. “WE’LL SEE ABOUT THAT!”

“BRING IT ON!” Makoto shouted back. After a well-fought battle, the Phantom Thieves won.

“Gah!” Yoshimori grunted. “Why does no one like me?”

“Um, probably because you blackmail them?” Ryuji took a stab at answering.

“Even before that,” Yoshimori added. “I always have to make people try and like me. But it all just falls apart.”

Makoto glared at him. “It’s because you’re not honest with yourself.” Yoshimori gasped. “You don’t like doing this either, do you?”

Yoshimori looked at her. “N...No…”

“And yet you do it,” Makoto said.

“How do you know how I feel?!” Yoshimori yelled.

“Because I was there once too,” Makoto answered sternly. Yoshimori gasped again. “The problem isn’t everyone else. It’s you. Once you find a you that you can be comfortable with, then you can start reaching out to others earnestly.”

Yoshimori smirked. “Thank you. I needed that. It might take some time to find myself, but I’ll dissolve my network based on blackmail.”

“That’s a good start,” Makoto said.

“If I reached out to you when I find myself, could we be friends?” Yoshimori asked.

“Of course,” Makoto answered. Yoshimori smiled and faded away. Ren took the treasure.

“Wow,” Morgana commented. “People are complicated.”

“True” Makoto agreed. “But we are meant to be social creatures. We ought to help each other in need.”

“I see,” Jose noted. “Fascinating.”

“I guess you’re right,” Morgana responded. “I feel that way too sometimes. I guess that’s part of the reason I feel split.”

“Well, hopefully staying at my place is helping,” Ren added.

Morgana smiled. “Yeah.” Ren smiled back.

Makoto smiled too. “Well, we should get going. We’ve got other people to help, you know.” Everyone nodded, and they left.

They continued onward until they got to the next door. Standing between them and said door was another shadow. “That’s Hikari Shimizu’s shadow!” Ann remarked. “The girl that’s been abusing someone.”

“I feel bad for him,” Ryuji said.

“Well, we’re here to help,” Jose reminded him.

“You said this boy is covered in bruises in real life?” Yusuke asked. “If that’s the case, she might be a dangerous opponent.”

“True. We should be on guard” Makoto reminded them. They walked forward.

“Ugh. So you’re the Phantom Thieves?” Hikari bemoaned. “Why are you bothering me?”

Ren dramatically pointed. “We;re here to stop your abuse.”

“Yeah, you’ve been treating this boy like he’s your slave!” Ryuji added.

“Please. He wants it” Hikari explained. “I just give it to him.”

“He wants bruises?” Yusuke remarked. “I don’t quite think that’s true.”

“I am his queen!” Hikari snapped. “He takes whatever I give him!”

“Yeah?! Well, you shouldn’t treat him like dirt!” Ann snapped back. “If you’re his queen, make yourself a respectable queen! Not just some annoying monarch that holds absolute power over him!”

“Grrr” Hikari growled. “I’m smart, I’m pretty, and he worships me. I’m allowed to do what I want with him!”

“No you’re not!” Ann yelled. “He’s a person too!”

“Grrrrrrah!” Hikari yelled, transforming into Yaksini, “I’ll just do whatever I want with you!” The thieves fought Hikari’s shadow. While it was a tad bit tricky, the thieves won. “NO!” Hikari yelled after defeat. “I don’t want to lose him…”

“Lose him?” Ann asked.

“Yeah. If I apologize, and say what I’m doing is wrong, he’ll run away…” Hikari explained. “And I don’t want that.”

“How did this all start?” Jose asked.

“He came up to me one day… Hikari began. “He asked me if I needed anything. I told him ‘a foot massage’ as a joke, but he really did it.”

“And you didn’t stop him?” Jose inquired.

“Well...I liked it…” Hikari continued. “...And him…”

“Oh” Jose said, surprised.

“You mean like like like?” Ann asked.

Hikari nodded. “Day in and day out, I’d ask him to do more and more ridiculous things, and it just spiraled out of control. Now I feel like this is the only way I can hang onto him.”

“Listen,” Ann said, beginning to offer advice, “being in a relationship requires the two people to be on the same page. If neither of you are happy, you need to feel confident enough to say so.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji added. “I mean, it sounds like this guy also kind of likes you too. And even if he’s willing to do some things for you, if you push him too far, you’ll just push him away.”

“But…” Hikari groaned.

“I know,” Ann said. “It’s hard. But you have to try. If you want this to work, you both have to be happy.”

Hikari started crying. “You’re right. Thank you.” She faded and Ren stole the treasure.

“Well, I think that went well,” Ann said. Jose was looking at her, puzzled. “What is it Sunshine?”

Jose tilted his head. “I know you told Fox, but are you sure you and Skull aren’t a couple?” Both of them started to blush. “Because you sounded like a couple just now.”

“Ha ha” Ann laughed nervously. “Of course we aren’t a couple.”

“Yeah” Ryuji said, equally as nervous. “Our advice applies to all kinds of relationships.”

“I see,” Jose said.

Ren stifled a laugh. “Well, if we’re done here, let's see what the next bit of Mementos looks like, shall we?” Ren walked over and placed her hand on the door. It opened up. Once it finished, she turned around. “What are we waiting for?” The thieves all walked over and headed deeper into Mementos.

Soon after, they found another portal and jumped in. “I think this is Nozomi Odo,” Morgana said. “The slave-driving restaurant manager.”

“Ugh, people like him make me sick!” Ryuji remarked. “Let’s do this fast. The sooner we do this, the sooner he’ll be a better manager.”

They nodded in agreement and approached Nozomi’s shadow. “What do you want?” he asked indignantly.

“What we WANT is for you to treat your employees with kindness!” Sumire said, stomping her foot on the ground.

“Tch” Nozomi reacted, brushing it off like it was nothing. “Have you ever worked in a restaurant?”

“Well, no…” Sumire admitted.

“If you did, you’d know that that’s the law of the land,” Nozomi explained. “You get treated like shit, until you work up to a place where you treat others like shit.”

“What garbage!” Makoto said, stepping forward. “You’re a leader! You need to step up and act as such.”

“I am,” Nozumi said.

“No” Makoto seethed. “You’re a coward. A REAL leader looks out of their team. Not just themselves.”

“Tch. I don’t have time for this” Nozomi said. He transformed into Setanta. “Starting now, I’m YOUR boss!”

“You should know, we don’t take kindly to those in authority,” Yusuke quipped.

“GAH!” Nozomi yelled. The thieves charged into battle, and won. “It’s not fair,” Nozomi said after losing. “I went through all of this before. Why should they be treated differently?”

“Look,” Makoto said forcefully. “What your employees are going through sucks, and what you went through was also probably terrible. But you don’t need to continue the cycle of abuse. You can end it here.

Being a leader is hard work. I should know. But you need to make sure all that hard work is worth it in the end. Otherwise you’re going to wake up one day and realize you hate the person staring back at you in the mirror.”

“Heh. You’re right” Nozomi said. “Man, getting lectured by some kids really puts things into perspective. Thanks.” He faded away, and Ren took the treasure.

They continued onwards and found another portal. Again, they hopped into it. “By process of elimination, this would be Kazuya Makigami’s shadow,” Yusuke said.

“The jerk thief who’s using our name to steal things,” Morgana added.

“But didn’t Sunshine say that not even the police believe that we’re associated with him?” Sumire inquired.

“I did say that, yes,” Jose said.

“Well...it’s the principle of the matter,” Morgana said.

“Whatever the reason, we need to put a stop to it,” Yusuke said.

“I couldn’t agree more,” Ren nodded. They walked over to him.

“Ah, the glorious Phantom Thieves,” Kazuya said. “Have you come to join forces?”

“No. Of course not!” Makoto refuted.

“Then why?” Kazuya wondered.

“Put simply, we’re here to stop you,” Yusuke explained.

“WHAT?” Kazuya shouted. “But we have the same goals. We’re on the same side. There’s no need for fighting.”

“Then will you just stop burglarizing people?” Sumire asked.

“And using our name?” Morgana added.

“WHAT? You don’t like that?” Kazuya asked.

“Of course not!” Ann said.

“Grrr. I thought you were cool” Kazuya grumbled. “Fighting for the underdogs. I thought the world needed people like you. But I guess power just corrupts, as the saying goes. SO…” he transformed into Mithras, “...I guess I’ll just use my power to stop you!”

“...You literally just said power corrupts,” Ryuji said, picking up on the irony.

“SHUT UP!” Kazuya shouted. The thieves charged into combat, and while it was a bit tough, since they’ve been going for a bit, it was nothing they couldn’t handle. Once Kazuya was defeated, he was breathing heavily.

“Pardon me,” Yusuke wondered, “but why do this at all?”

Kazuya looked at them. “Fine. I guess I owe you that at least. Ever since I was a kid, my parents were always more impressed with my little brother. He was more successful at everything, and because of that, he was their favorite. It almost felt like I wasn't even there sometimes.

Yeah, I was jealous, but I didn’t do anything. I felt like that was just how things were. And then you came along, and taught me that maybe things can change. So I began abusing my brother. And when that wasn’t enough, I took out my anger on every bigshot I could find. I started gathering some like-minded people, and I assume you know the rest.”

“How terrible,” Sumire remarked.

“Yeah,” Kazuya agreed. He sighed. “I probably should have said something earlier.”

“It’s not too late…” Sumire pointed out.

“I guess you’re right,” Kazuya replied.

“Well, as long as you’re making it up with him,” Yusuke said.

Kazuya smirked. He took his own treasure out of him. “If you can find my brother, tell him to use this key to open my nightstand drawer and burn what’s inside.”

“Are you sure?” Yusuke asked. Kazuya nodded. “Very well.” He grabbed it.

“Just promise me you’ll keep going after people who deserve it,” Kazuya said.

“You have our word,” Yusuke said. Kazuya smiled and faded away.

“How are we supposed to find his brother?” Ryuji asked.

“He also goes to Kosei,” Yusuke said. “I can give it to him…”

“That might be a bit conspicuous,” Morgana pointed out. “I’ll just drop it off in the cover of night.”

“Very well then,” Yusuke said. They left.

Ren asked “Do you want to keep going, or is that fine enough for now?”

“We did get all of our targets” Ann pointed out.

“Eh, I at least want to get to the next door,” Ryuji said. “It probably won’t open, but it’s a good marker of progress.”

“I agree,” Jose said.

“Anyone have any objections?” Ren asked. No response. “Very well.” They kept rolling. Eventually, they made it to the next door. “Well, we’re one step closer.”

“If I’m assuming correctly, this will open once we defeat Kaneshiro?” Makoto asked.

“Sees that way” Ryuji answered.

“Do we want to do that right away then?” Makoto wondered.

“No,” Ren answered. Makoto looked at her. “We shouldn’t keep blitzing through things. We are tough, but going through the metaverse is exhausting. We need our rest.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “What smart and thoughtful advice. Truly, you’ve adapted to the role of leader quite well.”

Ren was embarrassed. “Thanks.”

“Well, then, I guess that’s all we’re going to get now,” Makoto said. “Should we head out?” Everyone nodded, and they all headed up to leave Mementos. On their way back, Makoto noticed Sumire seeming awfully distant. “Something on your mind Violet?”

“Huh?” Sumire gasped. “Oh yeah. My meet is coming up, and being down here, and seeing everyone’s different problems has got me thinking.”

“You know we’re here for you” Ren reminded her.

Sumire smiled. “Thanks senpai” Sumire said, smiling and blushing. She looked down. “I guess seeing all those people suffering just has me in a tizzy. I mean, I was fraught with so many problems that I didn’t know what to do. So, in a way, this was kind of cathartic. It really helped me put things into perspective. If they can improve, then I know I can!”

“Way to go Violet!” Ann cheered.

“Yeah! You show them!” Ryuji followed.

Jose looked at them. “Are you really sure you’re not a couple?”

“YES!” they both answered, slightly embarrassed.

Sumire giggled. She then covered her mouth. “Oh. Sorry.” Ren then started snickering. One by one, people started laughing along. Pretty soon, the entire PT crew was in stitches. Between the laughter and the exploration, they felt exhausted and remained silent until they left Mementos.

As Ren and Mogana were heading home, Ren bumped into someone. “Oh, sorry.”

“It’s OK,” the woman Ren bumped into said. Ren looked up, as did Morgana. They recognized her as Ryoko Aino, the person who kidnapped cats and almost kidnapped Morgana. She took notice of Morgana. “Oooo. What a cute kitty. Mind if I pet him?”

Morgana hissed. Ren put her hands on him to stop him. “I’m sorry. He’s usually really kind.”

“Oh no,” Ryoko said. “I think it’s my fault.” She fished through her purse. She handed a can to Ren. “Um, for a little while, I was, um, kidnapping cats. And I almost got this little one.”

“Oh?” Ren inquired.

“I was saddened by the loss of my own cat, Snowball” Ryoko informed her. “I panicked, and I got it in my head that I needed to protect all of the cats in the area. But I came to my senses after the Phantom Thieves saved me. So, I’m sorry.”

“I see,” Ren said. She looked at Morgana. “Well, what do you think?”

Morgana was pouting, but knew the answer. “I guess it’s OK.”

Ren smiled. She turned back. “He says he’ll let you pet him.”

“Really?” Ryoko said, beaming. She started petting Morgana, and Morgana started purring. After she was done, she bowed and said “Take care.”

“We will,” Ren said. “And thanks.” The two nodded and went their separate ways. Ren looked at the can. “Wow.”

“What is it?” Morgana asked.

“It’s some fairly expensive tuna,” Ren said. “I guess this is part of her apology.”

“WOW,” Morgana said, drooling. “I know what I want tonight.”

As they were entering Leblanc, they passed by two young adults and an old man, who they recognized as Heiji Ono, the former belligerent old man in Kijijoji. As she came in, she looked at Sojiro and said “I haven’t seen them before.”

Sojiro grinned. “Maybe they’ll start a trend. It’s always nice to get new customers. You know, they only came by to spend some nice quiet time with their grandpa, but I hope they tell others how good the food was.” Ren smiled. Sojiro went on. “The old guy sure was somethin’ else. When he got his drink, he quietly toasted the Phantom Thieves. His grandkids didn’t hear it, but I caught it.”

Ren sat down at the counter. “What do you think of these Phantom Thieves?”

“Well, if that guy is toasting them, they can’t be all bad,” Sojiro said. “But I’m not one to accept things like that so easily. Maybe if they came in and had some curry, and we got to chatting, I might soften up to them more.”

Ren smiled. “You want me to start an ad campaign?”

“Huh?” Sojiro said, taken aback. “Of course not. That prosecutor’s been on my ass enough. I don’t need her breathing down my neck thinking I have a link with the Phantom Thieves.”

“I getcha,” Ren said. “It can be hard to trust people sometimes.”

Sojiro looked at her. “Well, I know I can trust you. I hope you can trust me too.”

“Of course,” Ren said.

Sojiro smiled. “Here. Let me make you some curry. But then I gotta head out.” Sojiro prepared some curry and handed it to Ren. She took one bite and was delighted. “Heh heh. Well, seeya.” Ren waved as Sojiro left.

Morgana was pouting. “Don’t think I forgot.” Ren said. She got up, fetched a can opener, and opened up the tuna for Morgana.

“MEOW!” he frenzied. He plopped his face in the can and went to town.

Ren smiled. “Hm.” She took another bite of her curry. After she swallowed it, she said “Today was a good day.” She continued eating, then went to bed soon after.

Notes:

So, the non-confidant requests; aside from a select few, they aren't as memorable as most of the content in the game, so it becomes REALLY apparent that I'm changing things up. Specifically, changing things up because I can't really remember what happened in those scenes. Not that it's necessarily a problem, it's just a peculiarity that I'm taking note of. It's one of those things that doesn't need to change all that much, but since I'm changing so much anyways, I'm changing stuff here too.

I also forgot to do a check up on the changes of heart that took place from the last time, so I figured now would be a good time to do it, and I think that makes sense. I really like how this chapter turned out. It was just really fun and interesting, and I enjoyed how I altered things. One of the great things about doing it this way is that I can get more out of the characters. Because P5/P5R are games, and they have to take that into account, things like this are more generalized, whereas here, in a story with a narrative, I can get a little more specific to derive some information. I guess this is just more flavortext than anything (for the most part at least), but I am a fan of flavor.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 62: 10 Miles Behind Me, 10,000 To Go

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

During the day the next day Ren received a message from Jose.

Jose: Hey.

Jose: Can you come to the diner?

Jose: I’m absolutely stumped by something.

Ren: Sure. I’ll be there as soon as possible.

Jose: Thanks.

They put their phones away and Ren headed out.

Once they met up at the diner, Jose looked uncomfortable. “What’s wrong?” Ren asked.

Jose squirmed a little bit. “I don’t know,” he answered. “How easy is it for humans to turn on each other?”

Ren was confused, but interested. “What do you mean?”

“Well…” Jose pondered. “Remember that couple I wanted to follow? The one we saw dressed up all weird entering as we left?”

“Yeah?” Ren answered.

“Well, today,” Jose began, “I saw them having a very public, very angry argument.”

“Huh,” Ren replied.

“I don’t know what happened,” Jose continued. “And the weirdest thing is, last night, after returning from Mementos, I overheard them planning their next date.” Ren gave him a puzzled look. “I wasn’t actively following them. I was too tired for that.” Ren couldn’t disagree. “I just saw them as I was entering.”

“Huh. Well that IS weird” Ren agreed. They both were pondering this odd behavior.

Just then, another girl about Ren’s age was passing them by. Jose recognized her. “Hey” he called out. The girl turned to her. “You go to Kosei too, right?”

“Um, yes,” the girl said.

“Do you know why those two people were fighting with each other at the dorms this morning?” Jose asked.

“Oh, them?” the girl answered. “They always do that.”

“Really?” Jose said, confused.

“Yes,” the girl continued. She looked at Jose. “Oh. You’re that new kid. Jose, correct?” Jose nodded. “I guess you wouldn’t know.”

Jose was interested. “Know what?”

The girl looked a bit uncomfortable. “Well, it’s complicated. But ever since the school was founded, their families have had a bitter rivalry. Both families are very prominent artists, and arguments about who was better spiraled out of control.”

“Huh” Jose responded.

The girl took notice of Ren. “Oh my. Aren’t you that girl that battled Akechi-san during his interview?”

Ren’s face went a bit pale. She placed her head down and just went “UGH!”

“Ah! My apologies” the girl said. Ren looked up. “That was an error on my part. I should know better than to fall into the fervor of celebrity.”

Ren was now a little embarrassed. “It’s alright… I’m just not used to it is all.”

The girl looked troubled. “No. I’m sorry.” Ren was growing worried. The girl noticed this. “Ah, what I mean is, I’ve been in the public eye for quite some time now. Despite this, I’m still not entirely used to it either.”

“Oh” Ren said. She smiled. “It’s fine. Really.”

“Are you sure?” the girl asked, surprised. Ren nodded. She sighed, relieved. “Thank you. Ah. I haven’t introduced myself yet. My apologies.” Ren giggled slightly. “My name is Hifumi Togo.”

Ren smiled. “Ren Amamiya.”

“Oh yeah,” Jose remembered. “The pro-shogi player, correct?”

“That is correct,” Hifumi said.

“But what are you doing in a place like this?” Jose asked.

“Well,” Hifumi began answering, “I just wanted to get away for a bit. This place provides ample space to do as such.”

“I see,” Jose replied.

“Are you going to be OK once you leave?” Ren asked.

Hifumi turned to her. “I believe so, yes,” Hifumi said. “To be honest, this isn’t my usual spot to escape to.” She then got an idea. “Miss Amamiya.” Ren was taken aback. “If you ever need refuge, maybe you can meet me at my usual spot.”

“Oh?” Ren said, intrigued. “And where might that be?”

“The church in Kanda,” Hifumi answered.

“Oh. I see…” Ren said, a bit hung up on the answer.

“Don’t worry,” Hifumi assured her. “It's a safe place.”

“Well, if you use it so regularly, then I’ll trust you,” Ren said.

“Thank you,” Hifumi said, bowing. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to continue on. It was nice meeting you.”

“Likewise” Ren said. Hifumi smiled and walked off.

“Well, that was interesting,” Jose said.

“I’ll say” Ren said with added exacerbation. “But at least we figured out the mystery of why that couple was fighting.”

“We did?” Jose said. “I’m still confused.”

Ren chuckled. “I guess you might not understand. Hifumi-chan explained that their families are bitter rivals, right?”

“Right…” Jose said, still trying to wrap his mind around it.

“But you said that they were a couple, and we both saw them going out on a date,” Ren continued.

“Correct…” Jose answered.

“Then what we’re seeing is a forbidden love,” Ren said.

“Forbidden...love…?” Jose said, trying to understand it.

“Yeah” Ren said, dying a little inside because she was all too familiar with the concept.

“Why would love be forbidden?” Jose asked.

“Well, there are many reasons,” Ren said. “But in this case, it’s because their families are rivals.”

“But wouldn’t they want this?” Jose asked. “A chance to end this feud.”

“Well, no…” Ren responded. Jose was confused. She went on. “Sometimes people want to continue fighting.”

“Really?” Jose said, befuddled.

“Yeah” Ren answered. “Sometimes, a person’s pride gets in the way of things like that. So I’m guessing their parents would be furious if they found out that they were dating.”

Jose thought about it for a minute. “That’s stupid” he blurted. Ren burst out laughing. “Did I say something wrong?”

Ren had to calm herself down. “No. It’s just, I’ve never seen you talk so bluntly before.”

“Oh. I’m sorry” Jose apologized.

“No, that’s a good thing” Ren assured him. Jose looked up. “It means you’re becoming more human.”

“Really?” Jose said.

Ren nodded. “Humans often voice their displeasure over things they don’t like. It’s so human, that people like Madarame or Kaneshiro wish to take that away from people to control them easier.”

“I see,” Jose said, coming to a realization. He smiled. He looked back down. “I want to help them. The couple. I want to help them be able to freely express themselves. Like I just did.”

Ren giggled and smiled. “Truly, a noble goal. I’ll help where I can.”

“Thank you,” Jose said.

Aeon-Jose: Rank 3

“By the way,” Jose continued, “we might be able to use this as a hideout after all.”

“What makes you say that?” Ren asked.

“Well, if that couple came in here to hide, and Togo-san came in here to hide, then maybe we can hide in here.”

“I see where you’re coming from,” Ren retorted, “but I think a group our size constantly coming in here might arouse some suspicion.”

“I see,” Jose said.

“Still, I like your thinking” Ren complimented. The two ate their meals and headed out.

Meanwhile, Sumire was at home. She checked her phone. One of the news stories she found was about how Kazuya Makigami turned himself in for the string of burglaries. She smiled, seeing the impact they’re having on the world. She turned to the photo of Kasumi. She thought about how Kazuya and his brother were at odds. “I hope they made up.”

Sumire walked up to the Kasumi picture and picked it up. “Listen. I’m sorry. For a while, I was really jealous of you, and I feel like we kind of drifted apart. I was so caught up in our differences. I guess I still am.” She became more sad. “But that moment you pushed me out of the way made me realize that you were still you. But it was too late.

I started to hate myself even more than I already did.” Sumire smiled. “But now, I’ve found people who love me, like you once did. And being with them feels like being with you. So, I’m sorry I ever doubted you. I’m sorry I lost myself in a jealous fury. And I’m sorry that I couldn’t say any of this while you were still alive. Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?” She looked at Kasumi’s smiling face. She smiled herself. “Thank you.”

Later in the evening, Ren got another message.

Yoshida: I’m having another speech tonight. Would you mind coming along?

Ren: Of course. I’ll see you there.

Yoshida: Thank you.

Ren: You’re welcome.

Upon arrival, Ren greeted Yoshida with a hearty “Hello.”

“Hello, Amamiya-chan,” he replied. “How was your day?”

“It was eventful, but interesting,” Ren answered. “How was yours?”

“Ah, same old, same old” Yoshida responded. “Are you ready for tonight’s speech?”

“Of course,” Ren said.

“Don’t worry, I won’t be calling on you this time,” Yoshida assured her.

Ren gently smiled. “Thanks.” Yoshida headed out, while Ren headed to pick up the card. “‘Tonight’s Topic: Power and Responsibility!’” Once she had them, Ren took her place at Yoshida’s side.

“People of Tokyo!” Yoshida began. “Today, I must warn you of one of the greatest traps a person can fall into: Irresponsibility. As you may know, I was once part of the Kuramoto Children, but fell from grace after I acted irresponsibly. I apologize for my misdeeds. I have learned my lesson. When being elected by the public, I should work hard to keep the trust they placed in me in the first place.

However, there are many politicians and people that have no understanding of such a concept. They continue to use their power only to benefit themselves. This creates a culture of so-called ‘losers’ who take the brunt of these misdeeds, while the so-called ‘winners’ become hate-filled misanthropes who won’t even lift a finger to help those in need.

We need to work together, and help each other. Not just for their sake, but for our own. If politicians become so alienated from the public they are supposed to serve, then the people will see them as nothing short of monsters. And maybe, when they look at themselves in the mirror, they might see the monster too.

While taking responsibility might not be the easiest thing to do, it is important. If we are to solve any problems with the world, we must try and solve any problems with ourselves. Otherwise, a politician’s promise to you, the people, will be as hollow and empty as they are.

I vow to keep my promises as a politician, but I learned that lesson the hard way. So heed my words, all of you here tonight. If you don’t take responsibility for your actions, sooner or later, you will pay the price. I’m lucky, however, because the greater the offence, the harder the punishment. I’m lucky that I am able to try and earn your trust again. Some people might not have that luxury. Thank you.” Yoshida’s speech got some applause, but most of the audience was silent, which got to Ren.

After the speech was over, Ren and Yoshida reconveened. “Well, Amamiya-chan, what did you think of tonight’s speech?”

Ren, in a bout of frustration, let out “I think they should have applauded more.”

“What?”

Ren looked up. “That was an amazing speech!” Ren continued. “It had heart, it had passion. More people should have applauded.”

“BAH HAH HAH!” Yoshida laughed. Ren was confused. “Well, thank you for the kind words.” He took a deep breath. “But you know, applause isn’t the only way to gauge interest.” Ren was curious. “While it is true a lack of applause might seem to indicate disinterest, sometimes it can signal the most interest.

When there’s a lack of applause, it’s important to look at the crowd. You might be able to see that they’re still thinking about what you said. Of course, such an eye needs to be trained.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Although, I also did notice that some people were unimpressed,” Yoshida admitted. “But I also expect a bit of that. As mentioned, I was a part of the Kuramoto Children. Many of them, myself included, fell into disgrace. So I get why some people might not be willing to listen.” Ren thought about this further. “But it seems to have resonated with you” Yoshida went on. “Is something bothering you?”

Ren was shook. “Er...well…”

“It’s alright,” Yoshida assured her. “I promise I won’t be mad.”

Ren looked at him. She sighed. “I guess I’m just a bit upset. For a while, whenever I tried sticking up for myself or someone else, it’d end up getting physical, and most of the time, everyone would side with the aggressor over me. I just ha- ...I just wish what you said was true all the time.”

“I understand,” Yoshida said. “It can be hard to see injustice and it not being corrected right away, or at all. Sometimes, those things just happen. So it’s important to try and pass on that message so it happens less and less, as well as taking victories where we can.”

Ren smirked. “I guess this is sort of a victory.”

“I beg your pardon?” Yoshida said, confused.

“Ah, sorry” Ren apologized. “I haven’t told you yet.” She looked at the ground. “One of those times, I got arrested.

“Oh my!” Yoshida said, shocked.

“I was sent to Tokyo because with my reputation being what it is, and me being on parole, it didn’t help…” Ren explained further.

“I see,” Yoshida said. “If it’s alright, would you mind telling me what happened?”

“Sure,” Ren said. She explained what had happened on the night of her arrest.

“Wow,” Yohida said.

“Yeah…” Ren agreed.

After a bit of silence, Yoshida told her “I can see why you might feel like this guy has gotten away, but I beg to differ.” Ren was curious. “From what I’ve seen, you’re a magnificent young lady. If nothing else happens to this criminal, there’s an old saying you can default on: ‘Living well is the best revenge’.” Ren was impressed. “He tried to break you spirit, and make you want to not question anything. But here you are, helping me out. I can only assume you’re doing the same for everyone else you call your friends.”

Ren smiled and nodded. “Yeah. I am.”

“Well then, I say you’re at least on the way to making a comeback” Yoshida said jovially.

“We both are,” Ren replied.

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 3

“Well, it’s getting a bit late,” Yoshida reminded her. “As delightful as this ended up being, we should get our rest if we want to fight on tomorrow. Ren nodded, and the two of them left for their homes.

 

Notes:

I feel like making things more narrative opens up a lot of possibilities. Like introducing Hifumi in this method, as opposed to just being told about her randomly. Or despite the fact that I am changing up Yoshida's confidant a lot, I'm keeping the feeling of it intact. Yoshida is actually a really fun character to write, mainly because he can act as a calm presence to Ren, when usually Ren is the calming presence to others. It's a nice dynamic to explore. I also can't wait to continue Jose's confidant. Now that we have the main thrust of it out in the open, doing stuff with it is going to be fun and interesting.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 63: Mass Disruption

Notes:

Hey, remember when I said I could label confidant chapters so that people could skip them if they wanted? Well, now I'm blending them with a bit of hard plot, so that's going out the window. To be fair, it didn't seem like it was much of an issue anyways, I just felt like pointing that out. Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As people were walking into school the next day, Makoto noticed Ren. “Ren-chan!” she shouted, capturing her attention. Makoto ran up to her. “Um, while I do think a break is important, I mean, I’m still feeling a bit worn out from Mementos, I do have a few other things I need to do these upcoming days. Of course, you are in charge, but…”

Ren smiled. “Does tomorrow work for you?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah!” Makoto exclaimed.

“What are you talking about?” Ann said, joining them.

“Well, uh…” Makoto said, taken aback.

“Good morning senpais” Sumire said, meeting up with them.

“Uh, good morning,” Makoto said.

“Yo” Ryuji said, rushing up to meet them. “What’s bonkin’?”

“Erm, ‘bonkin’’?” Makoto repeated, confused.

“Yeah, I’m tying it out,” Ryuji said. “What do you think?”

Makoto was a bit confused. “Well… I don’t think I’d use it.”

“Huh,” Ryuji replied.

“I like it,” Ren said.

“Yah! Now that’s what I’m talking about” Ryuji said.

“So, what ARE you guys doing here?” Ann asked, still wondering, and a little annoyed.

“Oh, well, uh,” Makoto stammered.

“We were discussing going into the palace tomorrow,” Ren explained.

“Oh” Ann said. “I’m fine with that.”

“Yeah, same” Ryuji said.

Sumire nodded. “That actually works really well for me. My competition is next week, and I want to practice as much as I can before then. So doing it earlier works out.”

“Oh, right,” Ann said. “I guess that means sending out the calling card might have to wait until after.”

“It would?” Makoto asked.

“Yeah” Morgana said, popping out from the bag. “We usually have to secure our route first, and then we’d need another break.”

“I see,” Makoto said, fascinated with the inner workings of the Phantom Thieves.

“I’d think we’d still have time,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, but we’d be cutting it a little close,” Morgana retorted.

“It’s alright” Ren said, scratching Morgana’s ear. “We ARE the Phantom Thieves after all. What would we be without a little dramatic tension?”

“Hm. I see” Makoto said.

“You seem pretty quick to agree to that,” Ryuji said.

“Well, I feel like it’s easier to go with the flow when it comes to you guys,” Makoto explained. “And maybe to life in general at points.”

“But you’re still not going to say ‘bonkin’’?” Ryuji inquired.

“Mmmmmmmm, probably not,” Makoto answered.

“She has her own brand,” Ann explained.

“Thank you, Ann,” Makoto said.

“I should message Yusuke and Jose,” Ren said, taking out her phone and doing just that.

“Well, we should head in,” Sumire said. “We don’t want to be late, you know?” The others nodded.

On their way in, the Shujin thieves noticed Hikari, the girl whose heart they changed, talking to a boy. “Um, so what I’m trying to say is...I’m Sorry!” Hikari said. “Would you ever forgive me?”

The boy smiled. He hugged her. “Of course.” Hikari was surprised and started crying. He changed positions from a hug to a face to face meeting with him grabbing her shoulders. “I’m crazy about you.”

“I’m…” Hikari said through her tears, “I’m crazy about you too!” She rushed in, burying her face in his collarbone. “I just didn’t know how to show it until now.”

“Hm” the boy said, wrapping his arms around her. “It’s OK.”

As they witnessed this, Makoto smiled. “I’m glad they could work things out.

Sumire shed a single happy tear. “Me too.” They then proceeded to go to class.

After school, Ann turned to Ren. “So,” Ann said. Ren looked up. “We’re going into the palace tomorrow. As it just so happens, I have a photoshoot today. I was wondering if you’d like to come along with me.”

Ren smiled. “That sounds like an excellent idea.” The two girls got up and started heading out.

On their way, Ann couldn’t hold in her excitement. “GAH! I can’t wait!”

Ren looked at her. “What’s got you so giddy?”

“Ah, well,” Ann said, kind of embarrassed. “This is just the first time I’m bringing a friend along.” She stopped, causing Ren to stop as well. “I was always told I could bring a friend along, but Shiho and Ryuji were always busy with practice and stuff. And then, well…”

Ren placed a hand on Ann’s shoulder. “It’s OK. The important thing is you have the chance now.”

Ann perked up. “Yeah! I can do this!”

“That’s the Ann I know,” Ren said, smiling a mile wide. They continued walking. “So, where are we heading?”

Ann got out her phone. “I’m not exactly sure myself,” she admitted. “Apparently, some other models didn’t show up, so I was called in to replace them.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Once they got there, one of the cameramen noticed. “Hey! Takamaki!” he shouted. “We’re just setting up!”

“OK!” Ann replied. She then noticed another model. “Oh my gosh” she said, dramatically grabbing onto Ren. “It’s Mika!”

Ren looked at Mika. “That other model?”

“Yeah” Ann said, letting go. “I’ve never worked with her before. I’m a little excited.”

“I can hardly tell,” Ren said, sarcastically.

“Shut up” Ann said, playfully shoving her.

Mika took notice of this, and grinned maliciously. She put on a cheery face and walked over. “Um, you know it’s not nice to shove people like like that” she said, mimicking a caring voice

Ren and Ann were somewhat confused. “It’s alright, really,” Ren explained. “We’re friends.”

“Oh, I see,” Mika said. “That’s great!” She turned to look at Ann. “So, you’re Takamaki-san.”

“That’s right,” Ann said. “And you’re Mika, correct?”

Mika gasped. “You've heard of me?”

“Of course!” Ann said, cheerfully. “I’m so glad we get to work together!”

“The feeling’s mutual,” Mika said. “So, why did you want to be a model?”

“Huh?” Ann said, surprised. “Oh, uh, well, I guess my parents put me up to it, you know?”

Mika then broke her nice look. “Are you telling me you don’t even WANT to be a model?”

“Huh?” Ann said, confused. “No, I jus-”

“Everyone’s working their hardest, and you’re just floating in, blissfully unaware?” Mika interrupted.

“No,” Ann said, getting angry. “But I-”

“And after they asked you to come down here to help, you can’t even bother to give it your all?” Mika continued.

“ENOUGH!” Ann shouted, catching everyone’s attention.

Mika then went into fake “WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!” she wailed. “Takamai’s yelling at me!”

“Takamaki! Did you make Mika cry?” a cameraman asked.

“Well, I-” Ann tried to explain.

“You know what? We can do this with Mika alone” the cameraman explained. “You can just go home until you can control yourself.”

Mika looked up at Ann and Ren and smirked. Ann grrred, but couldn’t do anything about it. Mika put her fake tears back on. “Are you sure?” Mika asked.

“Yeah,” the cameraman answered. “We don’t want to upset you.”

“Oh, thank you,” Mika said, walking back.

Ann huffed and walked away. Ren followed her. Ann was still frustrated. “What was THAT?”

“Do you want an honest answer?” Ren asked.

Ann looked at her. “If you lied, I could probably tell by now.”

“You say that, but I haven’t told anyone I’m the leader of the Phantom Thieves” Ren retorted. “I’d like to think I’m good at lying.”

Ann giggled. “You know what I mean.” Her face grew a little more serious. “In all seriousness, I know I just got played by Mika. It’s just so frustrating, you know?”

“I get it,” Ren said.

“But do you know what the worst thing is?” Ann asked. Ren looked at her for an answer. “I think she might be right in a sense.” Ren was worried. “I mean, I’ve been on the fence about modeling. Sometimes, I even wanted to quit.” Ren was about to comfort Ann, when she snapped into a fury pose. “But now, I’m thinking about Mika being on the cover of the magazines, and people aspiring to be like her, and that makes me SO MAD!”

Ren chuckled. “I was going to say ‘don’t let her get to you’, but I think you’re doing alright.”

Ann simmered down. She looked at Ren and grinned. “Thanks.” She became a little frustrated again. She sighed. “I’m still not sure what to do though.”

“Well, since she appears to be cheating, we have a way to punish that sort of thing,” Ren suggested, holding out her phone with the Metaverse app.

Ann smiled. “Thanks, but I’d rather do this fair and square, and on my own terms.”

“Hm” Ren smiled, putting her phone away. “Well, the option’s always there if you want it.”

“Thanks,” Ann said. She started chuckling softly, but then it grew. “You know, before, I feel like I would have just accepted it. The whole ‘I’m not good enough’ thing. But with you, Ryuji, Shiho, and, well, everyone, I’m starting to feel like I am good enough.”

Ren smiled. “Trust me when I say this: The feeling’s mutual.”

“Hah!” Ann laughed. “You didn’t need to worry. Like I said, I could probably tell when you’re lying.” Ren started laughing as well. The two girls laughed with each other in the middle of the sidewalk, not caring about the people giving them weird looks.

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 5

Meanwhile, Sumire was at practice. Everyone was taking a break. Suddenly, the gym door busted open. Everyone looked. Sumire was shocked to see it was Daisuke. But not as shocked as the girl next to her. She was a bit shorter than Sumire, but a bit more muscular, and had short black hair in a bob-cut. “Kimi!” Daisuke called out.

“Daisuke?!” said the girl with the bob-cut. “What are you doing here?”

Daisuke ran over to meet Kimi. He took hold of her hand. “Kimi. I...need to apologize.” Kimi was surprised. “I...I made a huge mistake. I got caught shoplifting something, and this guy...he was pressuring me into becoming a bully. I felt trapped. So, I broke up with you before I could hurt you in a way that I couldn’t bear.

But, after getting some help, I realized the error of my ways. I apologized to the store, I paid them back, and I made it up to them. And that other guy has apparently stopped blackmailing me. He was blackmailing other people too, can you believe it?”

Daisuke sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m such a lousy person. I wanted you to hear the truth. I couldn't stand you just wondering why forever. I’m sorry I’m such a lame person. I hope one day you can forgive me.” Daisuke started walking away.

Kimi was stunned for a second, but then gathered herself enough to shout “Daisuke!” Daisuke turned around. Kimi grabbed his shirt collar, and pulled him in for a kiss. Needless to say, Daisuke was shocked. Once she let go, she said “Today is that day.” She closed in and hugged him. “I’m sorry you had to go through all of that.” She looked up at him. “But please, don’t leave me again like that. You’re the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person I’ve met. You’re my best friend, the love of my life, and the one I want to spend my life with. If you ever make a misstep like that again, I want you to be honest, lean on me. Because I would lean on you.”

Daisuke was stunned and embarrassed. Once he regained his composure, he said “You’re right. You’re always right. I’m sorry. I promise to lean on you whenever I need it.” Kimi gave him a kiss, this time on the cheek. They both smiled.

Just then, everyone else started clapping for the two of them. Sumire wrapped her arm around Kimi. “Way to go, Kimi!”

“Ahem!” Coach Hiraguchi said. “While this is all very lovely, I think it’s time we get back to work.” Everyone went back to put their stuff back down and start working on their routines again.

Daisuke started to walk out. “So, competition coming up?”

“Yeah!” Kimi answered.

“Great!” Diasuke said. “Text me the deets later! I’ll make sure to come!”

Kimi smiled. “Will do!”

Daisuke returned the smile. As he was heading out, he got stopped by Coach Hiraguchi. “If you do anything like this again, I wouldn’t worry about the person blackmailing you. Understand?”

Daisuke was a little scared. But he looked her dead in the eye, smiled, bowed, and said “Yes Ma’am. It won’t happen again ma’am.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “That’s what I like to hear.” Daisuke nodded and left.

Kimi chuckled slightly at her coach intimidating her boyfriend. She started to stretch. Sumire was stretching next to her. “Congratulations again,” Sumire said.

Kimi smiled. “Thanks.” She did some more stretching. “You know, with Daisuke and I getting back together, I feel like I can go the distance in this competition!”

Sumire smiled and quietly said “Me too.” She continued her stretching before going back into her routine.

Later that night, after she and Ann split up, Ren decided to head to the church in Kanda to see if Hifumi was there. Despite her trepidation, she did want to take her up on her kind offer. Once she got there, she said “Here goes nothing.” She took a step in. “Well, I didn’t burst into flames, so that’s a good start.”

She then spotted Hifumi. She was playing shogi in one of the pews. Ren walked over and sat beside her. “Hey.”

“Oh” Hifumi said, sort of shocked. “You’re that girl from yesterday.”

Ren nodded. “Ren.”

Hifumi smiled. “What made you decide to come here tonight?”

“Well, I just needed somewhere to think,” Ren explained. “And since you so graciously offered…”

“I see,” Himfumi replied.  She then made another move on her shogi board. Ren looked on. “Would you like to give it a try?” Hifumi asked.

“Huh?” Ren said. “Oh, no. I would be no match for someone like you.”

“It’ll be fine,” Hifumi said. “I learned by playing against my dad, and he is also a shogi master.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“I find shogi helps clear your head,” Hifumi continued. “It also helps you think on your feet better.”

Ren could use some of that. “Well, if you insist.” Hifumi started to reset the board. “Hey” Ren said. “Thanks.” Hifumi smiled, and continued setting up the board.

They started playing. As expected, Ren was no real match to Hifumi, but she did try. However, that didn’t do her much good. After one of Ren’s moves, Hifumi said “The dragon which governs the blue sky has fallen into my hands. How do you intend to survive this?” She made her next move. “Check.” Ren was looking at the board. “It’s checkmate no matter how you look at it. It would be best to concede.”

Ren looked up. “Concede?”

Hifumi nodded. “It’s better to admit defeat with grace and dignity.”

Ren smirked. “I see. Well then, I guess I concede.”

Hifumi smiled. “Very astute.”

“But despite that, I had a good time actually,” Ren admitted. “Would you want to do this again sometime?”

“Huh?” Hifumi said, surprised. “Oh. Of course.” She looked off. “I...actually had fun too. So, I would like this to continue.”

Ren was silent for a bit. “Hm” she shrugged. “I thought you’d be bored playing a novice like me.”

“Well, that might be the case for some people,” Hifumi began, “but I like practicing new moves and thinking of new strategies. However, I find it better to do this while playing against someone else, and playing against someone elite at the game can tip your hand when trying to engineer new strategies. Besides, no one wants to play with me…”

“I see…” Ren said. She smiled. “Well then I guess I’ll just have to keep coming back here.”

Hifumi was shocked. “You mean it?” Ren nodded. Hifumi smiled. “Well then, I hope you’re prepared. I’m not going to go easy on you.”

“Of course,” Ren said. Hifumi chuckled. She then realized she was doing that, and stopped herself. Ren smiled at her, affirming their new friendship.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Star Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 1

After another round of shogi, which Hifumi won handily, the two girls exchanged numbers went home.

Notes:

So, yeah, the next chapter is going to be Kaneshiro's Palace. And since Palace's take a long time to write, there might be a bit of a break. I don't really think anyone minds, I'm just saying it for my sake to keep things in order.

I love writing this though, and one of the things that never fails to surprise me is how much I love writing Ren and Ann scenes. It feels so good just to see the close friendship between the two of them. I mean, I'm writing it, and I can barely handle it.

As for Hifumi, I'm actually quite nervous. Hifumi is actually my brother's waifu of choice, and between that and just not choosing the right options to get points each time during my playthrough has me nervous that I might not do the character justice. But gosh darnit, I'll still try. I did find it a bit of a stretch how you meet her in the game, but I think it works well enough. But since I'm changing things, I found an opportunity last chapter to what I feel is introduce her more naturally, which presents a different dynamic I think. Not too different I hope. However, one thing I'm not going to be chancing are Hifumi's phrases when she's doing shogi moves. Those are specific phrases, and any attempt to change them on my part would not work out because I don't know jack about shogi. So that's going to be a hold-over.

Chapter 64: Kaneshiro's Palace

Notes:

These palace chapters are always long, both to read and to write. Even when I touch almost nothing, they are complicated. But they're also really fun and interesting to write. They just take FOREVER. This might have been delayed even further, but I really love writing this story, and I had so many things I wanted to do for the following chapters that I wanted to get through this one to continue. That said, I might work on some other things for a bit. I don't think it'll be as long a break as last time.

Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

At school the next day, Ren texted the others.

Ren: Today’s the day.

Ren: We are storming Kaneshiro’s palace.

Makoto: Great! Can’t wait!

Ren: Someone’s excited.

Makoto: Should I not be?

Ren: It’s perfectly fine.

Ann: Yeah! I love doing this Phantom Thief stuff.

Sumire: We are helping people, but I love the excitement of it all too.

Ryuji: Yeah. So don’t be afraid to cry havoc and let slip the hogs of war.

Makoto: *Dogs of war.

Ryuji: Whatever farm animal of war.

Yusuke: She is correct though.

Makoto: You really should focus more in class.

Jose: Don’t worry Ryuji. If you get held back, we can be in the same grade together.

Ryuji: ...

Ann: We might run a little late.

Ann: Ren just fell out of her chair laughing.

Ann: Nevermind. She’s managed to explain herself.

Ren: Warn me before you do that next time.

Jose: Do what?

Ryuji: …

Sumire: Well, let’s do our best in the palace today.

Makoto: Agreed.

Ren: See you then!

They put their phones away.

When they all met up, Ren asked. “Are you ready?”

“We're heading into the belly of the beast,” Morgana noted.

“Ugh, ‘belly’ is right,” Ryuji noted. “Based on his shadow, he doesn’t look like the type of person who restrains himself at a buffet.”

“I can relate…” Yusuke said.

“Hey!” Morgana responded, incensed. “What’s the big idea? Ruining my dramatic musing.”

“Kaneshiro doesn’t restrain himself when it comes to anything,” Makoto said, disregarding Morgana’s pouting. “That’s why we need to stop him.”

Ren smiled. “Couldn’t have said it better myself. Let’s roll.” They headed into the metaverse.

Once inside, they found themselves in the city. “Huh? Why are we out here?” Sumire asked.

“There has to be a reason,” Jose pondered.

“Well then, let’s investigate,” Makoto pointed out. They all nodded and headed towards the bank. Luckily, the bank was very easy to notice. Just as they were closing in, they saw Naoko’s shadow standing right outside of it. In front of him were two very large guards. They all stopped. “Naoko!”

They kept watching. After a brief silence, Naoko said “Ready any time!”

The thieves hid behind a building. “I don’t think Naoko will let us in through the gate,” Makoto surmised.

“Yeah, but he didn’t notice us,” Sumire responded.

“He looked like his focus was on those two guards,” Yusuke concluded.

“So, all we have to do is sneak around,” Ren said. “Lucky for us, that’s our specialty. Let’s move.” The thieves moved around the buildings. They soon found themselves on top of a building on the west side of the bank. “Perfect.”

“Hold on,” Makoto said. “How do we get down there? Or scale that wall for that matter?”

“Nyeh heh heh” Morgana laughed. “Not to worry. For today, you will get another addition to your thief’s tool-belt!” He pulled out a grappling hook. “For you!”

“A grappling hook?” Makoto said.

“Yeah, it makes it easier to get around certain places,” Ryuji said.

“Fun too!” Ann added.

“I see,” Makoto said.

“Allow me to demonstrate,” Ren said. Ren looked up and saw an antenna sticking out of the bank. She swung her hook at it, and tethered it. She swung in, and when she was inside of the walls, she let go, did some tricks, and posed as she landed.

“Heh. Show off” Ryuji said in good fun. He made his way in as well. One by one, the rest of the thieves did the same.

The last one to make an attempt was Makoto. She was a bit nervous, but all she had to do was follow the lead of the others. “Here goes.” She swung her hook and tethered it to the antenna. She swung in, and much to her surprise, she landed safely. “Whew.”

“So, how was it?” Ren asked.

“A little nerve racking, “ Makoto began, “but also really exciting.”

“Glad to hear it,” Ren responded.

They then heard “Hey, should we go out there and…” They looked to see the guards facing Naoko.

“I don’t think so,” the other guard said. “You know what happened to the last guards that went out. We should play it defensively. If he makes a move to get in, we’ll be prepared.”

“Right, right” said the first guard, ending the conversation The thieves sighed, relieved.

“So, should we take them out?” Ryuji asked.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Ann said.

“Yeah, they look really tough,” Sumire continued. “Plus, they’re probably able to alert everyone else in the palace, which won’t do us any favors.”

“Not to mention, this will get us noticed by Naoko,” Jose pointed out. “He doesn’t want us in there either.”

Ryuji sighed. “Well, there goes my idea.”

“So, now what?” Makoto asked.

The thieves looked around. “That’s a good question,” Ryuji answered.

“Well, the doors are shut tight,” Yusuke said.

“I don’t think Kaneshiro would want anyone to come in without his express permission,” Ann pointed out. “Especially now that he’s not in the sky.”

“True…” Yusuke agreed.

Ryuji was wondering about when he bumped into one of the pig statues on a pedistal. He looked at it intently and pressed the placard with his weapon. The placard retracted, and the statue moved, revealing a hole. The thieves looked on. “Skull, you did it!” Ann said.

Ryuji was just as surprised as anyone, but when he was complimented, he leaned into it. “Ha ha, yeah.” Morgana rolled his eyes.

“Thanks Skull,” Ren said. “Now let’s head down there and see where it goes.” She went down the hole. The other thieves followed her down. They arrived through a manhole.

“Well, this certainly looks like a bank,” Yusuke noted.

“I doubt we could be anywhere else…” Makoto mused. “But we have no sense of where to go.”

“I’m sure if we just explore, we can figure it out,” Ann said. Makoto nodded.

“We should stay on our toes though,” Sumire reminded them.

“Of course,” Makoto said. “This isn’t just a bank after all. It’s Kaneshiro’s heart and soul in the form of a bank. I’d bet anything that it’s just as twisted and full of deceit as he is.”

“And we don’t have a lot of knowledge to go off of him” Ryuji reminded them. “We’re basically going in blind.”

Ren smiled. “Well then, let’s fix that. The only way to go is forward after all.”

Ryuji cocked a grin. “Right. That’s why you’re the leader, Joker.” Everyone else nodded in agreement.

They hardly rounded a corner before they ran into an issue. “Wait!” Morgana called out. “Look!” He pointed out a shadow in the shape of a dog. “I don’t like the looks of that…”

“Oh, cause you’re a cat?” Sumire said.

“What?! No!” Morgana rejected. “...Well, maybe…” he admitted. “But more importantly, dogs are fast, and can track intruders easier. We need to be more careful in our approach.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

Ryuji thought for a moment. “Isn’t it just a little weird that things are getting harder for us?”

Morgana looked at him in disbelief. “Do you really want to think about what’s weird at this point?” he asked.

Ryuji sighed. “I guess you’re right.”

Ren giggled. “Let’s go.” They continued making their way into the bank, taking out whatever shadows were in their way. As they went on, Ren noticed a shadow waiting by an oddly placed door and signaled to the others to stop.

They observed the shadow for a bit. Suddenly, the door opened for them, and they went in. The door shifted downward, telling them that this was a secret elevator. “Wow” Ryuji noted.

“That’s kind of a weird placement for an elevator,” Jose said.

“I assume it’s so that only trusted personnel of Kaneshiro’s can get through,” Yusuke observed.

Makoto thought about it. “This must mean that there’s more to this bank than meets the eye. I doubt it will be easy to get there though.”

“Well, if there’s a will, there’s a way,” Ren reminded them. “It’s just a matter of how sticky our fingers need to be.”

Makoto nodded. “Right. We are thieves after all.”

Ren nodded. “Let’s keep moving.” After some more maneuvering, they found themselves upstairs.

When they were looking around, Ann saw a vent. “Up there!” Ren nodded and led the team through the vent.

Before going through fully, Ren stopped, halting the rest of her team. “What’s up?” Morgana asked.

“There’s some guards,” Ren said.

“Well, let’s take them out,” Ryuji suggested.

“Right,” Ren said, a bit peeved. “I just wanted to make sure everyone was ready.”

“Oh right” Ryuji said. “Sorry.”

“Thank you Joker-senpai,” Sumire said.

Ren blushed for a second, but shook it off. “Anyways, let’s go!” They ambushed the security guard shadows. The fight was a little tougher than some of the shadows they’ve been fighting, but it wasn’t anything they couldn’t handle.

After winning, they looked around. “What’s this?” Yusuke said, looking at a picture on the wall. He grabbed it. “It looks like a map.”

They gathered around him. “It does look like there’s a sizable basement level,” Makoto pointed out.

“However, this seems like it’s only part of the map,” Jose said, pointing out a “Part 1 of 2” label near the bottom.

“Ugh” Ryuji scoffed. “Seriously?!”

“I wish palace rulers would be confident enough to give us a full map,” Ann said.

“This is an issue?” Makoto wondered.

“Well, at least it’s better than nothing,” Ryuji admitted.

Once they finished looking at the map, they continued looking around the security office. Sumire spotted something on the desk. “What’s this?”

Everyone looked over. “If I had to guess, that looks like a security key card,” Yusuke answered.

“Oh” Sumire said. “Here you go, Joker-senpai!” she tossed it over.

Ren caught it. “Thanks Violet.” She glanced at the machine by the door. “Let’s see if this baby works.” She inserted it, and the door opened. “Cool. Now let’s see what else this can open.” She waved everyone to leave. After they left, they continued exploring this area, opening up some closed doors.

A little later, they found another door locked by another key card machine. “Huh,” Ann remarked.

“Well, let’s see if it works here too,” Makoto said.

Ren tried it. “Success!” The door opened.

They all went inside.

“This looks like the top of an elevator,” Ann said.

“Like the one we saw before?” Jose asked.

“I think they are one in the same,” Yusuke surmised.

“So, what now?” Ryuji asked.

“Nyeh heh heh”Morgana laughed. “We ride it, of course.”

“What?!” Ryuji gasped.

“I think Mona-senpai is right,” Sumire said. “Unless we want to use this keycard to ride the actual elevator.”

“Hmmm, I think that would cause too much of a commotion” Makoto said.

“Besides, why would this door be locked as well if we couldn’t get in through here somehow?” Ren asked.

“Well… That’s a good point actually,” Ryuji admitted.

“So, if we’re all in agreement, let’s head in, shall we?” Ren asked. She began her descent onto the top of the elevator. Everyone else came down as well. “Now we just need to wait.”

After a little while, the elevator started to go down. Once it stopped, Ren noticed another vent they could go though. Once they were on the other side and on the floor, they heard Kaneshiro’s voice ring out.

“Attention guards! As you all know, I have received a few threats in recent days. Of course, it’s nothing we can’t handle, but just in case, increase security! I don’t want to take any chances!”

“Well, it seems obvious we’re getting closer to the treasure,” Yusuke remarked.

“We should hurry before it becomes too much,” Ann said. “You saw those guards out front keeping Naoko at bay. I’d hate to face like five of them at the same time.”

“That’s a good point, Panther,” Morgana said. “Let’s roll out.” They explored the lower level for a bit.

Upon the entry of one hallway, Ren called out. “Stop!” Everyone did. “Look.” She pointed to some cameras.

“Cameras?” Ryuji belted out.

“Hmm” Makoto pondered, looking at them. “They don’t seem to have much range. I’m sure we can sneak around them.”

“But if we didn’t, some of that increased security would come our way” Ren reminded them.

“True…” Makoto agreed.

“But look,” Ren said. She pointed to a control panel on the other side. “I think that controls some of the security measures here. If we can neutralize it, we’ll have an easier time getting through.”

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Morgana asked. Ren nodded. They moved around the cameras and to the control panel. Ren kicked it in, and the cameras shut off. “Nice kick!” Morgana complimented. Ren chuckled slightly.

They continued exploring the area for a bit, taking out whatever control panels they could find. They soon found themselves in a big open room, and in front of them was a series of cameras. “This place is big,” Ryuji noted.

They heard a voice. “Mr. Kaneshiro’s really aggressive these days, huh.”

“Is that one of the shadows?” Sumire asked.

“Still, as long as we keep these keys safe, we have nothing to worry about,” a different shadow reminded them.

“Keys?” Ann wondered.

“You’re right. We should get back to patrolling,” the first shadow said. The thieves heard footsteps indicating that the guard left.

“What are these keys?” Jose inquired. “They sound important.”

“Hmmm. For now, I think it’s better if we explore” Makoto suggested. “We might find the answers we need then.”

“Good thinking Queen,” Jose said. The thieves avoided the cameras and headed down the steps.

They came across a giant vault-like door. “What is this?” Ann said.

“There should be something beyond this door,” Yusuke said. “But I doubt getting it open is going to be easy.”

The group eyed the two stations next to it. “Maybe these open it?” Ann asked.

Ren went to investigate one. “Maybe, but this one needs a key.”

“This one too,” Ryuji said, looking at the other one.

“Could these be the keys the guard mentioned earlier?” Sumire asked.

“I think you might be right,” Makoto said.

“So, we need to steal them from the guards then?” Ryuji asked.

“First, we need to make our way past the security system somehow,” Morgana said.

“Tch,” Ryuji replied. “That’ll be easy.”

“Maybe, but we should still be careful,” Sumire reminded them.

“Of course. Thank you Violet” Ryuji said.

“Well, looks like we know what we’re doing,” Ren said. “All that’s left is to do it.” Everyone else nodded, and they went off.

They explored the area for a bit, and started taking out some of the security measures. However, they soon came across the door to Kaneshiro’s first Will Seed. “What’s that?” Makoto said, slightly frightened by the appearance and energy of the door.

“This door leads to a Will Seed,” Morgana pointed out.

“A Will Seed?” Makoto asked.

Ren nodded. “They are these little treasures that every palace has. They give us a little more energy, which is helpful. If all three are collected, they form a jewel. Plus, they also give us some insight on how Kaneshiro became the way he is.”

“Hmm. Sounds like we have no reason not to take it then” Makoto rationalized.

“That’s the spirit” Ren cheered. She cut down the tape and opened the door. The thieves walked in, and Ren grabbed the red Will Seed.

On cue, the voices began. “Oh Kei sweetie, you did so well on your last test,” a female voice said.

“If you keep this up, any college would be happy to have you,” a male voice said.

“Thanks dad” a younger male voice said.

“Oh, come here you” the female voice said.

“Ah, stop it,” Kei said, playfully.

“Junya? Why don’t you come over here and congratulate your brother?” the female voice said.

“Tch” said the voice of a younger Kaneshiro. “Why should I care?” Loud footsteps followed him.

“Let him go,” the older male voice said. “I’m sure he’ll come around. He just needs to get his act together.”

“What was that?” Ryuji asked.

“It sounded like a family…” Ann pointed out.

“Kaneshiro’s family?” Jose wondered.

“I guess” Yusuke answered. “No one is born a monster after all.”

“So, it sounds like this Kei person is his brother…” Sumire posited.

“Do you think he was jealous?” Jose asked.

“Maybe,” Makoto said. “But it’s hard to tell. Sibling relationships can be a bit complicated.”

“True” Yusuke said. “While I am an only child biologically speaking, I do consider the people I lived with under Madarame’s roof my siblings. Although, I think there might have been more complications than usual.”

“Fox…” Sumire said, trying to keep herself together, both from what Yusuke said and her own situation.

“Oh. Sorry for bringing this up Violet” Makoto said.

Sumire wiped her eyes. “It’s fine. Thanks to everyone, I’m getting better.”

Ren sighed. Everyone looked at her. “Oh. Ummmm…”

“What’s up?” Ann asked.

Ren smiled insincerely. “Sorry. This just...reminded me of my sister.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped. “You have a sister? For real?!”

Ren dropped her smiling facade. “Yeah.”

“Why haven’t you mentioned her before?” Morgana asked.

Ren paused. “...Because...she doesn’t want anything to do with me now.”

“Why’s that?” Makoto asked.

Ren looked at her. “The arrest” she answered bluntly.

“Oh” Makoto said.

Ren continued. “When my parents first suggested that I leave home during parole, I asked if I could live with her in Kyoto, where she’s studying. They told me no, so I gave her a call. The result was her chewing me out.”

Ren averted her eyes. “She always had my back until then. So hearing that I did something wrong from her, especially when I know I didn’t… It just hurt…”

She felt a hug. She looked down and saw that it was Sumire. “Senpai.” Sumire looked up. “It’ll be alright.”

Ren looked at Sumire. She smiled. She hugged her back. “Yeah.” They let go of each other. “Thanks for helping me too.” Sumire blushed.

“Well, um, should we get going?” Ryuji asked awkwardly. Ren nodded. She headed back out with the others following her.

They continued through the area, disabling security and opening doors, until the security system was disabled. They made their way back to the top of the open room . “The door’s not unlocked,” Ryuji stated.

“No, but we can get a better understanding of things,” Ren replied. Let’s just observe for now.”

They peered in to see the two shadows conversing. “Boy, I really don’t want to be on Kaneshiro’s bad side today,” one shadow said.

“Are you still worried?” the other one replied. “Look, no one can get anywhere without our keys. And we’re here, so we’re fine.”

“Right,” the first shadow said. “I’m just worried is all. I’ve never seen the boss like this.”

“Me either” the other shadow concurred. “But worrying about it isn’t going to do anything.”

“I guess you’re right,” the first shadow agreed.

“So, they do have the keys?” Ryuji wondered.

“I believe so, yes,” Yusuke said.

“Sooooo, we just gotta take it from them,” Ryuji said.

“Hold up,” Makoto said. “Those two looked dangerous. Taking them on won’t be an easy task.”

“Especially together,” Ann remarked.

“That’s it!” Makoto said. “Why don’t we split them up?”

“Good thinking Queen,” Morgana said. “That way, we’d only have to fight them one at a time.”

“But how do we do it?” Sumire asked.

“We probably could go to the monitoring room where we got the map from,” Ren suggested.

“Not a bad idea,” Makoto agreed. “We can lure one there, and then charge the other one after we take out the first one.”

“Well, since that’s settled, shall we head out then?” Ann asked. Ren nodded. The thieves headed up to the monitoring room.

Once there, Makoto went for the mic. “I need absolute silence.” She turned on the mic. “Control room. This is the monitoring room! We are being ambushed! Requesting back up! One more should be enough!”

“Roger! Sending someone over” the shadow on the other side said. The thieves hid while the shadow made their way to the room. “Huh? Did they get taken out?”

“Yup!” Ryuji said. The thieves surrounded the guard. “And you’re next.”

“Ah, a ruse!” the shadow said. “No matter, I’m not like those weaklings!” The shadow and the thieves fought. It was hard fought, but the thieves won.

“Whew. I’m glad we split them up” Ann said.

“Shall we go take out the other one?” Jose asked.

Ren grabbed the key. “With pleasure,” she said. The group headed back down.

Once they got there, they found the other shadow muttering to themselves. “Are they alright? I don’t like that he’s been gone for so long.”

The Phantom Thieves jumped the shadow. “We’re here for key number 2!” Sumire called out.

“Number 2?! But that means…!” the shadow screamed, panicked. “Well, now you’ve made me ANGRY!”

“Here we go!” Makoto shouted. Again, there was a hard fought battle, but again the thieves won. Makoto picked up the second key. “Glad that’s over with.”

Jose looked in the back. “Hey.” He walked over. “I think I found the other half of the map.”

“Good going Sunshine” Sumire said.

“Let’s take a look,” Yusuke said.

“Hmmm. Well, I think the treasure is in the deepest part of the palace” Morgana reasoned.

“We are being constantly blocked from going down,” Ren pointed out.

“So we just gotta keep going downward?” Ryuji said.

“Easier said than done,” Makoto reminded them.

“We aren’t doing this because it’s easy,” Ren pointed out. We’re doing this because it’s our justice.”

Makoto smiled and nodded. “Right.” They left to go open the door.

Ryuji took one key, and Ann took the other. “On the count of three?” Ryuji asked.

Ann nodded. “One...two...three!” They turned their keys and the door opened.

“Good job everyone” Ren congratulated.

“I agree. Teamwork solved this issue quite nicely” Makoto said.

“Hm,” Yusuke said.

“What’s wrong Fox?” Morgana asked.

“I’m reflecting on what the guards said,” Yusuke answered. “They said Kaneshiro was more aggressive than usual. Do you think Naoko is actually getting to him?”

The thieves all pondered Yusuke’s question. “Well, I don’t think it matters too much, so long as we prevent Naoko from getting to Kaneshiro to kill him.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Yusuke said. “Let’s continue on.”

They walked through the door into a hall that was raining money. “Look at all this money,” Ryuji said.

“So, he stole this from the weak…” Sumire said.

“He’ll pay for this,” Makoto said, determined. They walked through.

They then came across a hall with cameras. “Not again…” Ryuji lamented.

“These cameras seem different,” Jose said.

“Good eye Sunshine,” Makoto said. “These appear to be cameras that switch on and off from different cameras to cover more ground.”

“So, we gotta go through when the lights are off,” Ryuji said. “Sounds simple enough.”

“There are still guards here Skull” Ann reminded him.

“...Right…” Ryuji said. “I’ll be careful.” They passed the cameras and took out the guards on their way. They then snuck around to find a room with a money pit.  Through some exploration, they found a hook they could swing to the other side. On the other side was the second Will Seed.

They opened the door, and Ren grabbed Kaneshiro’s green Will Seed. As always, more voices could be heard. “Stupid Kei” a younger Kaneshiro bemoaned. “He thinks he’s so good. Just because he gets the best grades, and is good at sports, and has a lot of friends. Pah. I’m good too, ya know.”

“So he was jealous,” Jose noted.

“Hey kid” another voice said. “Wanna help me out with a job? It pays well.”

“I think you’d want someone else,” young Kaneshiro said.

“Nah kid, you’re PERFECT” the voice said.

“‘Perfect’? Well, if you say so…” young Kaneshiro said.

“Wait, does that mean what I think that means?” Ryuji asked.

“It sounds like Kaneshiro was looped into the same scheme he’s looping others in” Sumire guessed.

“From the looks of it, he didn’t need much convincing,” Ann said. “Although if someone said I was perfect, I’d find it hard to resist too.”

“Well, I think you’re purrrrrrfect” Morgana said.

Ann laughed. “Thanks for cheering me up a little Mona.” Morgana was in disbelief.

“Do you think Kaneshiro believes he was helped in this instance?” Yusuke questioned.

“It’s hard to say,” Sumire said. “When you feel down, it can be hard to see what will help or hinder you.”

“Hm. An excellent point, Violet” Yusuke said.

“One more, and we’ll have all of the Will Seeds,” Makoto pointed out. “Let’s go on.” The thieves left the Will Seed Room. They ventured through the money pit and escaped through some vents. They circled back to open up some pathways, but then went forward in their venture.

They found themselves in a room with a large elevator at the bottom. When they looked down they saw Kaneshiro’s shadow talking with a powerful shadow. “Woah!” Morgana yelped. “Kaneshiro!”

“He looks like he’s talking with a guard,” Jose noted. “I can’t hear what he’s saying.”

“Probably something about tightening up security,” Ryuji said. “Does it even matter?”

“I guess not,” Jose replied.

“Let’s head down and confront him,” Makoto said solemnly. They made their way down to the elevator. “KANESHIRO!”

“Huh?” Kaneshiro looked over at the thieves. “YOU! “What are you doing here?! SEIZE THEM!” He pointed toward the thieves and the shadow attacked. The thieves engaged the shadow, and while it was fairly difficult, in the end they won.

Once they finished, they saw Kaneshiro was nowhere to be found. “Drat! Bastard ran off into the elevator while we were busy” Ryuji noted.

“The treasure should be past the elevator anyway” Yusuke said. “We should head down.”

They called the elevator. Once it arrived, the doors opened, and another tough shadow was waiting for them. However, before either the thieves or the shadow could move, a sword pierced through the shadow, killing it. Holding the sword was Eris. She put it away and walked forward to greet the thieves. “Don’t I get a ‘thank you’?”

“Eris!” Ren said, defensively.

“This is Eris?” Makoto said. Her focus tightened. “UNDO WHAT YOU DID TO NAOKO!”

“Ha ha! I like your moxie” Eris said. “But I’m afraid I can’t do that. Or rather, I don’t want to.”

“Why are you here this time?” Yusuke asked.

“I come bearing gifts,” Eris answered. “First, I gave you one less shadow to fight. But secondly, I have this.” She held up a book.

“What is that?” Ryuji asked.

“This is a book I stole off of the palace ruler as I passed by him” Eris explained. “It contains information for getting to his treasure.” She tossed the book to Ren.

Ren opened it. “There’s only one page,” she said, bitterly.

“Oh, silly me,” Eris said. “I forgot I hid the rest of the pages.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shouted.

“I mean, if I gave you ALL the pages, then it’d be a hop, skip, and a jump to the treasure room, and we can’t have that,” Eris explained. “If you end up challenging me, then you want to be at your best. I don’t want to face off against weaklings.”

“Grrrr” Ann hissed.

“However,” Eris proposed, “if we were FRIENDS, you wouldn’t have to worry about any of that.” She reached out her hand. “What do ya say?”

Ren batted her hand aside. “Pass.”

“Ooo, so cold,” Eris said. “Well, I’ll let you get to it. But remember: You’re still just getting your toes wet. If things get too rough, you know I’ll always be there for you.” She vanished.

“So that’s Eris,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, she’s a tough nut to crack,” Ryuji said.

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “I’ve yet to meet someone quite like that.”

“Have you tried a mirror?” Ryuji asked.

“As far as I know, mirrors aren’t people,” Yusuke retorted.

Ren burst out laughing. “Thanks Fox. I needed that.”

“Well, since we have something to go off of, shall we continue?” Sumire asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. They headed down the elevator.

As they were going down, they could look through the glass to see a large number of safes. “Woah! Look at them all!” Ryuji said.

“Don’t tell me we’re going to have to check them all” Ann pouted.

“What does the book say, Joker?” Jose asked.

Ren looked through it. “It just reads ‘R & C = 0, I = 1, H = 2’. I don’t know what it means though.”

“Maybe it will make sense when we get all of them?” Sumire suggested.

“Hang on,” Makoto said. “This shape.”

“You have an idea, Queen?” Ren asked.

“I don’t think we need to check all of the safes,” Makoto said. “But we’d need to investigate further to see if my hypothesis is correct.”

“Very well,” Ren said. They road the rest of the way down.

Once they left the elevator, they came face to face with the safes. “Look!” Sumire pointed out. “There’s a console.” They walked up to it. “It looks like it has the same interface as an ATM.”

“Um, I’ve been meaning to ask this for a while,” Ryuji began asking, “but isn’t it ‘ATM machine’?”

“No, that’s redundant,” Makoto said. “The M in ‘ATM’ stands for ‘Machine’. So you’d be saying ‘Automated Teller Machine Machine’.”

“Ooooooooo. It's one of those things” Ryuji said.

Ren ginned. “Out of curiosity, one of what things, Skull?”

“You know, one of those things where each letter of a word is the first letter in a series of different words,” Ryuji said. “Ugh, what are these called?”

“Acronyms” Ann said.

“Yeah. Those” Ryuji said excitedly.

“Well, at least you know what they are,” Ren said. “Good job Skull.”

Sumire noticed something. “Look up there!” They all looked. It was a plaque that read “RICH”. “Maybe that’s what those letters mean.”

“Good thinking Violet” Ren said. “Let’s see now.” She input the code. The safe started to move, letting them go in further.

“Woah,” Morgana said.

“Hmm, just like I thought,” Makoto said.

“AHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Kanehiro laughed.

“Is Kaneshiro here?” Jose said, preparing himself.

“I don’t think so,” Morgana said. “This might be like the paintings in Madarame’s palace where we’re just hearing his thoughts.”

“I see,” Jose said, relaxing himself.

“I’m rich! Very rich! And my fortune only continues to grow!” Kaneshiro’s voice continued. “Nothing can stop me now!”

“Wow” Ryuji said.

“How obsessed with money can one person be?” Makoto asked. “It’s almost too grotesque to think about.”

“Well, whatever the case, it looks like we can push forward,” Yusuke said. “The sooner we get there, the sooner we can leave.”

“I agree,” Makoto said. “Let’s head onward.” They headed through the opening and found a set of stairs to go down.

Downstairs, they found a set of halls, guarded by shadows and security measures. After clearing them out, they found a control room. Ren pressed some buttons at the console, and opened some shutters. “Sweet! Now we can go further!” Ann shouted.

“What’s going on?!” Kanashiro yelled over the intercom. “You guards better be doing your job! Don’t let anyone near those golden piggys!”

“...It sounds a lot less threatening when you call them ‘piggys’” Morgana pointed out.

“Buuuuut, speaking of,” Ryuji said, “there’s one right here. Let’s see what’s inside.”

Ren walked up to it and pressed the nose. It opened, revealing a slip of paper. Ren looked at it. “What’s it say, Joker-senpai?” Sumire asked.

“I think this is more of the book Eris gave to me,” Ren said.

“So, Kaneshiro knows where the pages have been hidden?” Yusuke asked.

“It sounds like something she’d do,” Ann relented. “Watching on as they can do nothing to prevent us from taking it.”

“How sadistic,” Yusuke said.

“Well, it seems like we’re going after these ‘golden piggys’ now,” Ren said. “Are you ready?” The thieves nodded. They continued onward, making their way through the basement area, turning off the security and taking out guards when they needed to. They found another pig and took the note out of it as well.

They found another console. They inspected it. “This one says ‘REAP’”. Yusuke noted.

“As in harvest?” Ann said. “Talk about disgusting.”

“Viewing the people you’re exploiting as nothing more than crops to harvest is beyond disgusting,” Makoto said.

“Do you have the code?” Jose asked.

“I think so,” Ren said. She put the code in. They could hear the mechanism move.

They then heard more of Kaneshiro’s inner monologue. “WHAT?! That’s not NEARLY enough! Give me everything you have!”

“How vulgar,” Yusuke said.

“I couldn't agree more,” Jose said. “They’re people too.”

“I doubt anyone like Kaneshiro sees anyone else as a person,” Makoto pointed out.

“Putting that all aside, should we go check on the status of the vault?” Sumire asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. They made their way upstairs. Sure enough, the safes moved again.

“I knew it!” Makoto said.

“Knew what?” Ryuji asked.

“The shape of this area,” Makoto said. “It looks like a cylinder lock. If you have the right key, the teeth correspond to the various notches to open it.”

“Or, we could pick the lock,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, but as fun as that sounds,” Ren said, “I think it’d be easier to open this lock the right way.”

“I guess you’re right,” Ryuji said.

“Well then, shall we venture on?” Jose asked. They nodded and headed down to the next basement.

Similarly, they snuck past the security and took out more guards. They found more pig statues and collected the pages from there.

They found another console. “Um, does this one say ‘HUGS’?” Ryuji asked.

“It says ‘HUGE’ Ann berated. “As in ‘you’re a HUGE idiot’.”

“You don’t need to be mean about it,” Ryuji said. “Also, leave it to the American to read English well.”

“I don't need to be mean?!” Ann shouted back, offended.

“Let’s...just focus on the code,” Makoto said, trying to simmer things down. “Do you have the right combination?”

“I believe so,” Ren said. She inputted the combination. They heard more movement from above.

“Look at this,” Kaneshiro said. “These stacks are HUGE! With this, I won’t be trampled on anymore. I have the power now!”

“So, he thinks money gives him power,” Ann said.

“Not only that,” Sumire started, “but he mentioned that he won’t get trampled on anymore, like he doesn’t care about the people he’s trampling now.”

“Truly, there is no end to Kaneshiro’s cruelty,” Ren said. “Which is part of the reason we’re here. We’re almost home free. Let's continue onwards and reach the end.” Everyone nodded.

They headed back up. As they passed through the next opening, they found another console. “Hmm, this one seems different,” Morgana pointed out.

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “This one just has two buttons. I guess we need to just press one.”

“There has to be more than that,” Makoto said.

“Well, waiting doesn’t seem like it’s going to yield results,” Ren said. “Let’s just see what these do.” Ren pressed a button. The walls moved.

Sumire looked back. “It looks like the way is open now…” She investigated further. She came back a few moments later. “There’s no stairs leading downward.”

“Hmmm. What could that mean?” Ryuji wondered.

Ren pressed the other button. The shelves moved again, and this time the opening was in front of them. They saw another console. “I figured it out,” Ren said.

“Devious,” Ann said.

“I agree,” Makoto replied. “It’s simple, yet deceptive.”

Ren headed to the next console, with the rest of the thieves following behind. Ren pressed one of the buttons. They felt the boxes moving. “Do you think that opened the way?”

“I think so,” Ren said. “Shall we check?”

“Wait!” Morgana called out. “I’m sensing a Will Seed.”

“So THAT’S why this is the way it is” Jose said.

“Yeah…” Ann said.

“Well, lucky for us, we leave no stone unturned” Ren said. She hit the other button. The boxes moved again to create an opening right in front of them. Everyone was impressed. Ren smiled. “Let’s get that Will Seed.” She walked over. Everyone else followed.

They walked upon a strong-looking shadow. “Right. This” Ann said.

“Well, I’m not worried,” Makoto said. “We’ve made it this far. We can take them.”

Ren smirked. “I can see you’re getting used to this quickly. Let’s take them out!” They charged the shadow, and fought it. Despite this shadow being extraordinarily tough, they made it though.

They opened the door. Ren picked up the last Will Seed. Again, voices could be heard. “How could you lose THAT much money?” a man, who wasn’t Kaneshiro’s father, shouted.

“Sorry…” the younger Kaneshiro voice muttered.

“‘Sorry’ isn’t going to get that money back!” the man yelled. “Ugh, look kid, you’ve got potential. You just gotta not SCREW UP! Otherwise, it’s YOUR head on a platter. Got it?”

“Yes sir,” Kaneshiro answered.

“Good,” the man said. “Now I gotta figure out how to make up for your STUPID mistakes.” There were footsteps.

Kaneshiro sighed. “At least they’re saying it. But unlike my parents, I can make this work.”

“Woah. So this is him, really deep in the gang life at this point” Makoto said.

“...He really thinks his parents don’t like him…” Sumire noted.

“They might not,” Ryuji said. “I mean, I can’t say for certain, but I know my dad has no love for me.”

“True” Yusuke agreed. “People’s parents don’t always hold affection for them.”

“This seems a little more cloudy,” Ren pointed out. “We just have what we got from these seeds.”

“Also true,” Yusuke agreed.

The Will Seed fused into the Crystal of Gluttony. The Crystal of Gluttony projected an image. A younger Kaneshiro was walking into a room, wearing gloves. An older man who looks like he’s in the mafia is opposite Kaneshiro. “What’s going on, kid?” the man asked.

“Heh” Kaneshiro laughed. He placed a suitcase full of cash on the desk between them. “Here you go.”

The man looked at the cash. “Is this…?” Kaneshiro nodded with a grin on his face. “Wow. Kid, I’m impressed. You’re going places.”

“Of course I am,” Kaneshiro said. He lifted a gun.

“Wha-what are you doing?” the man asked.

“You know, I learned something,” Kaneshiro said. “The reason I kept screwing up was because I was holding myself back. I was too restrained. Well, no more. If I’m going to make it, if anyone’s going to make it, whether it be in the rose tinted lie of a so-called ‘normal’ society, or here in the real world, you have to do EVERYTHING you can to make sure you come out ahead.

You need to push others away. You need to use everyone to your advantage. You need to PROVE that you deserve life.” He cocked the gun. “Good bye, old man.” He pulled the trigger. The bullet hit the man. The man flopped over.

Some other young gangster entered the room. “Kaneshiro?” They saw their leader dead. “What happened?”

“Someone from the rival gang tracked us,” Kaneshiro explained. “They got in a quick kill. I wrestled the gun away from them, but they managed to get away.”

“What should we do?” the other gangster asked.

Kaneshiro smiled. “We tell everyone there’s a new man in charge. And my first act as head of this gang is to track down the SOB that did this, and make an example out of them.”

The other gangster took a closer look. “Wait a minute…”

“Don’t get any ideas” Kaneshiro barked. “Or do you want ‘a rival gang member’ to do YOU in as well?”

“No sir!” the other gangster said. They left.

Kaneshiro began laughing maniacally. “See that? I’m already ordering people around like a champ.” He picked up the body. “And it’s all because of the things you taught me.” He dropped the body and continued laughing. The image ends.

Everyone was horrified. “That was... “ Makoto said.

“I think I’m gonna be sick,” Ryuji said.

“It hurts too, because he believes in everything he said,” Sumire added. “He believes you need to prove yourself to even be alive. That’s a sad existence.”

Ren walked over and gave her a hug. “It’s OK. We’re here.”

Sumire smiled slightly. “Thank you, senpai.”

There was a brief pause. “Still, despite that grotesque scene, I think it’s pretty clear that this is what made Kaneshiro become the man we know today,” Yusuke said. “And frankly, it’s about time we put a stop to it.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Jose said, quietly. Turning away from the room, the thieves left, still unsettled with the knowledge they gained.

They found another basement area. Despite the intensity of the security, it wasn’t anything that the rest of the palace hadn’t prepared them for before. They found two more pigs and got the codes for them.

They made it to the console. “This one says ‘GOLD’” Ren said. “Seems straightforward enough.” She input the code. They heard the movement.

“Hopefully, that’s the last one,” Ryuji said.

“Ah, look at that sheen” Kaneshio’s voice said. “This gold reminds me I mean something. I have something. No, I have everything. BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

“What a shallow and disgusting person” Ann remarked.

“You’re right, Panther,” Sumire said. “I don’t care if they get pressured into it, he’s reveling in it, and exploiting others to his own ends. He’s among the lowest of the low.”

“Wooooooie!” Ryuji said. “You made quite a turnaround from the...well…”

Sumire giggled. “It’s OK, Skull.” She looked down. “You know, I would have felt bad longer,” she looked up, “but I really feel like I’m getting better thanks to all of you.”

Ren smiled. “I think we all are. I can certainly say, I’ve been in a better mood since meeting you all.”

“Oh, for sure,” Ann said.

“I think we should count our lucky stars that we didn’t fall in with the wrong crowd like Kaneshiro did,” Yusuke proclaimed.

“Agreed,” Makoto said. “We should head up and see how everything’s looking.” They nodded and left the area.

When they got back up, they found another elevator. They entered this one and headed down it as well. Once they got to the bottom, they walked into a steel room, and a vault. In front of the vault was the amorphous blob; the treasure. “So, what’s this?” Makoto asked.

“That is the treasure,” Morgana said. “We have to send a calling card in order to make it appear.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “I think you mentioned something to that effect when we went into Mementos.”

“Yeah, but for palaces, we need to go all out,” Ann said.

“And it only lasts for a day, so we have to make it count,” Ryuji added.

“Hm. Well, this is going to be interesting,” Makoto said. “Now that we have our path, I assume we can head in whenever we’re ready.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Although that is something I think we can discuss at a later time. Right now, I just want to get out of this place.”

“I could not agree with you more, even if I tried,” Makoto said. The thieves left the treasure vault, and headed back up through the bank to exit. Once outside, the grapple hooked the wall, and left the metaverse entirely.

Notes:

I'm actually borrowing the idea of Ren's sister from Light1108. They said it was OK for me to do so, and I wanted to do it because 1. I think it would bring an interesting perspective on things, and 2. I am a whore for having more characters.

Also, should I have warned you about the death scene? It feels a bit tame, considering everything else that happened so far. But let me know if that's something I should have warned people about. I will edit this to warn them.

Chapter 65: Lost in Nerves

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

When Sumire got home that evening, her parents were still awake. “Oh, Sumire,” Shinichi said. “How are you doing?”

“You look kind of tired, is everything alright?” Akane asked.

Sumire smiled slightly. “I’m fine.” She sat down. “I’m just a little nervous about the meet, you know.”

“Oh, of course dear,” Akane said. “It would be strange if you didn’t.”

“But don’t worry,” Shinichi said. “We’re always here for you.”

“Right…” Sumire said. She looked down at the floor slightly. She looked back up. “I know you always will be, but how do I know if anyone else will be?”

Akane and Shinichi looked at each other confused. “Where did this come from, sweetie?” Akane asked.

“I was just thinking,” Sumire said. “I’ve come so far, I’ve made many wonderful friends…” Sumire trailed off. “But I’m wondering if they’ll like me when they get to know...certain aspects of me.”

Shinichi and Akane were stunned. “Do you mean...your bisexuality?” Shinichi asked. Sumire nodded. “Well, um, you don’t have to tell them…”

“No!” Sumire said, slamming her fist, stunning her parents even more. “Ah, sorry. It’s just… If I want to be Sumire, I have to BE Sumire. I miss Kasumi dearly. But I can’t keep living in her shadow. I can’t keep hiding behind her. I need to show the world who Sumire Yoshizawa really is… I’m just…”

Shinichi and Akane were awed. They looked at each other and nodded. They stood up, walked to Sumire, and gave her a hug. “It’s OK,” Akane said.

“If they don’t accept you, that’s their fault,” Shinichi said.

“We love you,” Akane said.

“No matter what” Shinichi finished.

Sumire started tearing up a little bit. She smiled. “Thank you mom. Dad.”

They let go. “I think dinner is just about ready,” Shinichi stated.

“I’ll go check,” Akene said. She got up and left. She came back with dinner, and the three of them started eating soon after.

Sumire looked sound. She giggled. Shinichi looked at her. “What’s so funny?”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Sumire said. “I was just thinking, it’s been a while since we had a dinner this cheery together. I kind of missed it.”

Shinichi and Akane were again surprised by Sumire’s words. Shinichi simply smiled and said. “I missed it too.” They continued eating as a family.

Meanwhile, Ren entered Leblanc. “You’re back,” Sojiro said.

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“You feeling alright?” Sojiro asked. “Do you need me to call you in or anything?”

Ren shook her head. “I just...had some old wounds open up today is all.”

“Ah” Sojiro reacted. “I’ve been there before. When that happens, there’s nothing more I’d want to do than take the day off.” Ren started heading to the stairs. “I can still do it, you know. No skin off my back.”

Ren smiled. “It’s fine. It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“If you say so,” Sojiro said. “Maybe you should have a cup before you head up though. I know it always eases the tension for me.” Ren looked at him, She came up to the counter and sat down. Sojiro prepared her a cup of coffee. “Here you go. If you want another, you’re going to have to make it yourself. I’m just about to turn in for the night.”

“That’s fine,” Ren said. “Good night Sojiro.”

Sojiro grinned. “Good night Ren. And good luck.” He grabbed his things and left the store.

Morgana popped out. “Are you actually OK?”

Ren sipped her coffee. She nodded. “Yeah.”

“OK…” Morgana said cautiously.

Ren took another sip. “I’m just surprised I told everyone about my sister.”

“Well, that was a bit of a surprise,” Morgana said.

Ren sighed. “I don’t hate my family. It’s just hard sometimes. I was hoping things would get better if I pretended that nothing was wrong and just ride this parole thing out.”

“Well there’s your first mistake,” Morana said. “Pretending to be anything you’re not is not the true mark of a Phantom Thief.”

“OK kitty” Ren said, snidely.

Morgana growled. “I’m not technically a cat. But I guess I’m close enough. My point being, being a Phantom Thief is about standing by your true self. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have your Persona. Or your other personas…”

Ren chuckled. “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” She finished her coffee. “Being me isn’t the easiest thing, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

“That’s the spirit,” Morgana said. Ren cleaned her cup and went upstairs. Morgana followed her.

After Ren changed into her pajamas, she flopped down on the bed. She grabbed her phone and pulled up her contacts. She sighed. She tapped one that said “Sasa”.

Ren: Hey sis.

Ren: I know it’s late, and I’m not your favorite person right now.

Ren: But I want to talk to you.

Ren: Even if it’s for just a little bit.

Ren: Despite everything, I miss you.

Ren: If you don’t want to talk, that’s fine.

Ren: I just wanted to say something after all this time.

She held onto her phone for a few minutes. She knew she wasn’t getting an answer. She put the phone down and went to sleep.

When she awoke, she checked her phone. To her surprise, there was a series of messages waiting for her.

Sasa: I’ve gotta say, I wasn’t expecting to get messages from you while I was studying.

Sasa: Or at all…

Sasa: Considering how things went when you called me.

Sasa: Listen… I don’t know how much you'd believe this…

Sasa: But I’m sorry.

Sasa: I shouldn’t have gotten mad at you like I did.

Sasa: And I should have believed you.

Sasa: When I heard from mom and dad you got arrested for assaulting someone, I didn’t know what to make of it, and I assumed the worst.

Sasa: But as time marched on, I put some actual thought into it, and it just didn’t make sense for my baby sis to do something like that.

Sasa: But by then the damage had already been done.

Sasa: I was worried you didn’t want to speak to me ever again.

Sasa: But it seems like I was wrong on that front too.

Sasa: ...I miss you too.

Sasa: And again, I’m sorry.

Sasa; I just hope you can somehow forgive me.

Sasa: If you can’t, that’s fine.

Sasa: Either way, good night.

Ren started to cry. She hadn’t conversed with her sister for a while now, but after receiving these messages, it hit her just how much she missed it. She was so worried that her sister hated her that she decided to not engage, despite how much she wanted to.

She wanted to keep her updated on her life in Tokyo. The friends she was making. The sights, the sounds. She was fifty-fifty on telling her about the Phantom Thieves stuff. But none of that mattered if her sister hated her.

She looked out her window. With a new city, and new friends, she was gaining a new outlook on life. When she first came to Tokyo, the mere thought of contacting Sasa scared her. But now, after everything that’s happened so far, she found the courage.

She sent Sasa a message.

Ren: Hey sis.

Ren: I can’t say much now, since I need to get ready for school.

Ren: But thank you for believing me now.

Ren: And thanks for messaging me back.

Ren: You have no idea how much I missed this.

She put her phone down, and proceeded to get ready for the day.

Notes:

I guess these post palace Ren and Sumire introspection chapters are kind of a thing now, huh. Not that I'm complaining, I just wasn't expecting it. I am trying to think of future ones at the moment, but I think they might be better if I just cross the bridge when I get there.

Something else I'm trying to figure out though is should I give Sasa her own confidant or not. I am stacking my brain left and right to try and think of a good solution, and so far I'm coming up short. Wait a tick. Something just occurred to me. I could cut a plan I had for something to make it work here. Maybe. I'd need to think about it more.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 66: Brave Enough

Notes:

I know I said I'd probably take a short break after the Palace, but my anxiety is getting the better of me recently, and diving into this helps. Plus, as I've said, I've been thinking about these things for a bit, and I wanted to get to them, and I'm doing that.

As for the conundrum I thought of last chapter, I've given it some thought, and since most of the conversations would be done in text form, and that can be done anytime, anywhere, maybe giving Sasa her own Confidant in this might not work as intended. I'll still include her, but it's not going to be as a Confidant. Unless I can think of a good reason for it to be.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter Text

After school, Ren and Ann were leaving class together when they were approached by both Shiho and Sumire. The four girls looked at each other, stunned at this coincidence. “Well… Um… What’s up?” Ann said, trying to break the ice.

“Oh, well, I was wondering if…” Sumire began, “I could talk with Ann-senpai… privately…”

“Huh,” Ann said. “Well, uh, I guess it depends if Shiho needs me right away.”

Shiho thought about it. “I was going to ask both you and Ren-chan for help with this, but I guess I can do it with just Ren.”

“Well, sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said, trying to get past the awkwardness of the situation.

“Great!” Ann said. She turned to Sumire. “So, do you have anywhere in particular you’d like to go?”

Sumire was now in thought. “Well, practice is going to start soon. Coach Hiraguchi just has some school work to finish off. I know a place that’s on the way that’s really good.”

“Sounds wonderful!” Ann said, excitedly. The two started to leave. “Seeya!”

“Seeya!” Sumire echoed.

“Seeya,” Shiho replied.

“Seeya” Ren finished off. Once they were out of sight, Ren turned to Shiho. “So, what are we doing?”

“Well,” Shiho began explaining, “it’s interesting that Sumire-chan mentioned Coach Hiraguchi, since that’s the person I want to talk to.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

“Let’s go,” Shiho instructed. The two girls started walking to the teacher’s offices.

On their way, Ren asked “What’s this about?”

Shiho stopped, causing Ren to follow suit. She looked at Ren intently. “You know how I want to start the volleyball team back up?” Ren nodded. “Well, today I’m shooting my shot on this.”

Ren was stunned. “Woah. That's a big step.” Shiho nodded. Ren was about to speak, but she caught herself. “I was going to ask if you wanted to wait for Ann, but if you’re so determined, I think you should go for it.”

Shiho was a tad surprised. “What brought this up?”

“Well,” Ren sheepishly said, “ last night was the first time in a while… I talked with my sister.” Shiho was even more surprised. “We kind of got into a fight… Well, it wasn’t really a fight, she was just upset with me, but that happened before I left for Tokyo. And I was always scared of trying to reach out to her. But last night, I found the courage to do so, and I felt relieved.”

“What happened next?” Shiho asked.

“Well,” Ren answered, “she messaged me back when I was asleep, and I read them all this morning. She apologized, and asked for forgiveness. But even if it doesn’t go that way for you, I just want you to know that even just doing this is worth it. Knowing what the answer is is worth it.”

Shiho smiled. “I suppose you’re right.” She started walking again. She turned to Ren and said “Shall we?” Ren smiled, nodded, and started walking with Shiho.

They had arrived at Coach Hiraguchi’s office. She was surprised to see the two of them, but gladly accepted their question. Shiho then explained her idea to Coach Hiraguchi. Hiraguchi listened intently. Shiho finished by asking “So… Would that be OK?”

Coach Hiraguchi looked at them. “There’s no easy way to say this,” she began, Shiho gritted her teeth, “but I’m afraid this is something I simply cannot do.”

“I see” Shiho said, meekly.

“It’s not because I don’t want to though” Hiraguchi continued explaining, causing Shiho to look back up at her. “Frankly, there’s a lot of factors that prevent me from doing this. For starters, I’m just the interim gym teacher. That in itself makes this more complicated.

There’s also the matter of my other obligations. I can’t stop doing everything I’m doing for this. It would be easier if you had another staff member to be your coach, but… Well…”

Shiho nodded. “...Yeah.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “But I’m glad you came to talk to me about this.” Shiho was surprised and a little delighted. “I’m glad to see you moving forward. After everything that happened, it can be hard to stand on your feet again. Trust me. I will help you in any way I can, but remember, I am limited. If you bring back a more fleshed out proposal, I will see what I can do.”

Shiho smiled. She bowed. “Thank you coach.” She turned away and walked out of the room, with Ren following behind her.

After a few steps out of the office, Ren asked. “How do you think that went?”

Shiho smiled. “Well it sucks that this isn’t going off the ground yet…” Shiho admitted, “but overall, I think it went OK.”

Ren smiled. “Well that’s good to hear.”

Shiho looked at Ren. “Thanks for being there for me.”

“What are friends for?” Ren responded.

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 4

Shiho got lost in thought again. “I’m going to go work on figuring out the more fleshed out proposal. Strike while the iron’s hot, you know?” Ren nodded. “Seeya!” Shiho said as she left. Ren waved at her and then left as well.

Meanwhile, Sumire and Ann arrived at a restaurant, and placed their orders. Ann turned to Sumire and asked “It’s not that I’m ungrateful, but why did you want to talk with me over Ren?” Sumire frowned. “AH! I’m sorry.”

“Huh?” Sumire said. “Ah, no, I’m sorry” she said, getting a bit flustered. “Uhhhhh.”

Ann realized that Sumire wasn’t upset or anything. She giggled. “It’s fine. No need to panic.”

Sumire sighed, relieved. “Thanks, Ann-senpai.”

Their orders came in. Ann looked at Sumire’s order. “Um, are you sure you can finish that before we leave?”

“Oh this? This is nothing” Sumire said, determined. She began eating. Ann watched her. She giggled and began eating her order.

As they continued eating, Sumire realized she needed to focus on why she brought Ann out here in the first place. “Right!” Sumire exclaimed, catching Ann by surprise. “Ummmm… I need to ask you something.”

Ann was concerned, but smiled. “What is it?”

Sumire looked off for a bit. “...Is...there anything that would make you guys hate me?”

Ann was surprised. “Where did that come from?”

“I’ve just been thinking…” Sumire continued. “Right now, I’m working on trying to be myself in every aspect. ...But I’m worried that there’s a part of me that you guys might not like.”

Ann tilted her head. “Huh. Well, is this part of you spiteful in any way?” Sumire looked confused. “Like, is it that you want to kill someone?”

“Oh” Sumire said, understanding the question. “No no no, nothing like that” she answered.

“Not even yourself?” Ann pressed further. Sumire was shocked. Ann sighed. “Sorry. I guess that was a bit much.”

“No, I get it…” Sumire said, trying to move past it.

“It’s just,” Ann began. She sighed. “You know how Kosuke had those voices as we were fighting him?” Sumire nodded. “Shiho had them too. And one of them was of her…”

“OH!” Sumire said, surprised.

“Yeah…” Ann replied. “I just,” she sighed again, “I don’t want to lose any of my friends.”

Sumire looked at Ann. She chuckled. “Well then, I guess we’re in the same boat.”

Ann looked at her and chuckled back. “I guess we are, huh.”

“It’s just…” Sumire said, pivoting back to what she was talking about, “the part of me that I’m a little worried about expressing is just...well...not considered normal…”

“Is that all?” Ann said. Sumire looked at her, again shocked. “We’re the Phantom Thieves. We reject normalcy in hopes of a better tomorrow. Normal is what led to people having Palaces in the first place. So whatever it is, be yourself!”

Sumire smiled. “Thank you, Ann-senpai.”

“What are friends for?” Ann replied. They finished eating, and Sumire headed for practice.

Later that night, Ren arrived back at LeBlanc. “Hey Boss,” Ren said.

Sojiro looked at her. “Hey” he replied. Ren started heading up. “Hey, would you mind helping out tonight?”

Ren stopped and looked at him. “Sure, but what for?”

“It’s just...been a while, you know?” Sojiro admitted. “I’m supposed to be taking care of you, but we only seem to pass each other by in recent times.”

Ren smiled. “Well, I’m not getting into trouble, so that’s a good sign.”

“Right…” Sojiro said, willing to believe that statement. “Still, I feel like an attempt should be made. And tonight seems to be a good night for that.”

“Why’s that?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Sojiro said, nervous. “Let’s just say that my time has been freed up tonight.”

Ren shrugged. “OK.”

“Go change,” Sojiro said. Ren saluted him, and she left to put her bag away and change. She came back down in her casual clothes and put her apron on. “Good. Now let’s get crackin’.” Ren and Sojiro worked together. While there weren’t too many customers, they still tried their hardest.

Once the last customers were out the door, Ren was about to start on the dishes when Sojiro called out to her. “Hey.” Ren looked over. “You’ve been making coffee for a bit, right?” Ren nodded. “Well tonight, I’m going to teach you about this place’s other specialty: curry.”

“I know how to make curry,” Ren stated.

“True, but you don’t know about this restaurant’s special curry,” Sojiro said.

“I guess I don't,” Ren admitted.

“Well, it’s fine,” Sojiro said. “Besides, once you know how to make this curry, you won’t want to make any other curry ever again.”

Ren did notice that the restaurant’s curry was incredibly delicious. She nodded and said “OK then. Shall we get started?”

“I’d thought you'd never ask,” Sojiro said. They got started making the curry. Sojiro was giving her precise instructions on what to add, when to add them, and even a few technical tips. Ren had experience making curry before, making this a bit easier to wrap her mind around, but she was learning something new, and she and Sojiro were having a good time doing it.

When it came time to taste the curry, Sojiro prepared two plates. They sat next to each other and took a bite at the same time. Both of them were surprised at the result, but in a good way. “Wow” Ren said.

“Heh” Sojiro laughed. “Again, you’re not quite on my level, but neither was I when I started making the curry. And you’re learning this version to boot.”

Ren looked at him. “What do you mean ‘this version’?”

“Er” Sojiro said, realizing he made a mistake. “Well, uh, it’s a bit complicated.”

“I’m listening,” Ren said.

Sojiro looked at her. He sighed. “Well, I guess there’s no getting one past you, huh.” His look grew a bit more somber. “Remember when I told you that the woman I’d settle down with is no longer here?” Ren nodded, taking another bite of her curry. “She helped improve the recipe.”

“Oh. I see” Ren said. “...I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Sojiro said. “You were bound to find out sooner or later.”

“How do you figure?” Ren asked

Sojiro grinned. Before he could answer, the door opened. The two turned to see that it was the rude gentleman from before. “You’re back?” Sojiro said.

“Hey, is that anyway to treat a visitor?” the man said. “You must be pretty well off if you can get high on your own supply.” Sojiro continued to glare at him. “Nothing? Man, you used to be so quick witted.”

“Are you going to order anything?” Sojiro asked.

“You should know what I want by now,” the man insisted.

“Trust me,” Sojiro said. “It’s impossible to not know what you want.”

“Ooooo. There’s that wit” the man said. “Look, we can do this the easy way, or the hard way.”

The two men continued glaring at each other for a moment when Sojiro’s phone went off. He took it out and saw that it was Ren calling. Understanding the meaning, he answered. “Hello...yes...uh huh...I see...Hey, can you hang on a second?...Thank you…” He put his hand over the speaker. “I need to take this call. It’s about the business. I’m sure we can meet some other time about this?”

The man glared at Sojiro. “Fine. But the next time won’t be so pretty.” He started to leave.

Sojiro got back on the phone. “Thank you again. Now, where were we...right…” The man left. Sojiro sighed. He hung up his phone and looked at Ren. “Thanks for that.”

“No problem.” Sojiro continued eating his curry. “Wait. You didn’t answer my question. How did you figure I’d find the truth eventually?”

“Oh, right,” Sojiro said. “Well, there are two reasons. 1. Because I sort of promised you, but 2. I’ve been around the block more than enough times to know a smart woman when I see one.”

Ren was taken aback by Sojiro’s authenticity. She smiled. “You’re a good man Boss.”

“Heh. Thanks, I guess” Sojiro said.

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 4

They finished their curry. Once they were done, Sojiro went home, and Ren went upstairs to bed.

Chapter 67: Meeting of the Minds

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren got a message from Makoto.

Makoto: Hey.

Makoto: All of the other student council members are busy, and I could use some help with something.

Ren: What’s up?

Makoto: I’ll explain when we meet up.

Ren: OK.

Makoto: Out front.

Ren: Right.

Ren put her phone away and headed outside. Once there, she saw Makoto awaiting her anxiously. “What’s up?” Ren asked.

Makoto seemed a bit uneasy, but answered “I’ve...been hearing some rumors that some Shujin students have been doing some unsavory activities up in Shinjuku.”

Ren was shocked. “If it was about us, Ryuji said he didn’t have time to change.”

“What?” Makoto said, confused. “Oh. No. I mean on a more regular basis.”

“Oh” Ren said, a little embarrassed.

“I just want to see if everything’s alright,” Makoto explained.

Ren shrugged and said “Well, let’s get going then.”

“Yes,” Makoto said with a little more ease in her voice. The two girls headed to the train to take them to Shinjuku. On the way, Makoto informed Ren of some of the specifics she’s heard about

Once they got there, they had a look around. “I have to admit, it doesn’t look so bad in the daytime.”

Ren looked over and said “It honestly wasn’t too bad during the night either. Sure, there were some things you’d associate Shinjuku with, but there wasn’t a vast sense of danger.”

“Oh, of course,” Makoto said. “Several precautions were taken in the midst of Shinjuku’s height of seediness. It’s come a long way from the place it used to be.” She looked out to Shinjuku once more. “Hopefully I can make that change too.”

Ren noticed Makoto’s seriousness.She patted her on the back and said “You’re already doing a good job.”

Makoto looked at Ren and blushed. “Thanks.” After a bit, she said “Well, we should get moving.”

“Let's,” Ren replied. The two of them headed into the heart of Shinjuku to investigate. Each of them asked around, but while they did hear things here and there about some Shujin students, none of the specifics Makoto had heard seemed to bear fruit.

They met up again after they were done investigating. As Ren approached Makoto, Makoto looked at Ren and surmised “Nothing on your end either?” Ren shook her head. Makoto sighed, relieved. “Well, I guess it’s nice to know that the worry was unfounded.”

Ren then noticed over Makoto’s shoulder was a Shujin student walking around. Makoto kept going. “I mean, it’s nice to know for sure that nothing is going on, you know?” Makoto noticed Ren. “You alright?” Ren turned Makoto around so she could see. The student continued making her way into a local salon. Makoto looked at the student in shock.

She continued to remain in shock even after the student went inside the building. Ren was concerned for the student, but also Makoto. “Are you alright?” Ren asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said, snapping out of it. “Oh. Yeah.” She looked disconcerted. “I guess they were true…” Ren looked at Makoto, interested in her thought process. Makoto noticed this. “Oh, uh, well… Her name is Eiko Takao. She’s in my class. I had heard a few rumors, but I didn’t know if they were true or not.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Makoto thought some more. “I guess I need to look into this further.”

“Do you want to ask around some more?” Ren proposed. “You know, get some more details, see if anyone knows her around here.”

Makoto was intrigued by the question. However, she answered “Well, I’d rather hear from her directly.”

“Cool” Ren said. “Wanna head in now?”

“Wha?” Makoto said, taken aback. “N-No, I mean… I want to speak with her privately.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said. “So, what do you wanna do now?”

“I...think I want to head back,” Makoto answered.

“Very well,” Ren said. “Then let’s get going”. Ren waved Makoto over to head to the train back. Makoto smiled, and the two girls headed to the station.

On the train back, Makoto seemed a bit uncomfortable. She sighed. “I’m sorry.”

Ren looked at her, surprised. “Where’s this coming from?”

Makoto stared off blankly. “The other members of the student council weren’t busy today… I just didn’t want their help with this.”

“Why’s that?” Ren asked.

“I’m...not sure…” Makoto said “But I knew I didn’t want to go alone, and I felt like I could trust you.”

Ren smiled. “It’s alright.” Makoto looked up at her. “I sort of get it. Besides, today was actually kind of fun.”

“Really?” Makoto wondered.

Ren nodded. “If you ever want my help again, all you need to do is ask.” Makoto smiled. “Thanks.

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 2

Once the train arrived at their station, they got off and headed their separate ways.

When Ren got home, she received another message. She checked, and to her surprise, it was Akechi.

Akechi: I’ve finally found some free time in my schedule.

Akechi: Do you think we could hang out tonight?

Ren: Sure. Is there anything you wanted to do?

Akechi: Well, in all honesty, I want to relax and kind of get to know you better.

Akechi: Do you have any ideas to accomplish this goal?

Ren: Sure. Meet me at a place called LaBlanc.

Akechi: LeBlanc… I think I’ve heard some colleagues of mine talking about it.

Akechi: Very well, I shall meet you soon.

Ren smiled. She was interested in how tonight was going to turn out. She looked up at Sojiro. She smiled. She figured if things got out of hand, Sojiro could help her. “Hey Boss,” she said. Sojiro looked up at her. “I’m having a new friend over tonight. Is that alright?”

Sojiro shrugged. “Sure, I guess.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. She sat down at a booth and did some reading to pass the time.

A little while later, Akechi walked in and noticed Ren reading. “Ah, keeping your mind sharp, eh. I wouldn’t expect any less.”

Ren looked up from her book. “Oh. Hey Akechi” she said. She planted a bookmark in her book and set it down. She walked up to greet him.

“Wait, this is your friend?” Sojiro said.

Akechi looked at Sojiro. “Pardon?”

“If I recall correctly,” Sojiro began intently, “you two fought each other on TV.” Ren groaned a little bit. “Why are you friends now?”

“Forgive me,” Akechi said. “I am a little lost in this conversation. However, I will state that I invited to be friends with her. Despite our disagreement, I think her bravery to stand up for what she believes in is admirable. While we don’t know each other too well, I’d like to see what becomes of this budding friendship.”

Sojiro glared at him. “I guess it’s fine.” He turned to Ren. “So, do you want to tell him the added benefit of being your friend?”

Akechi was surprised. “There a...benefit?”

Ren rolled her eyes. “It’s fine.” She turned to Akechi. “I wasn’t going to say this on national TV, but…”

Before she could finish, someone barged in. The three people looked at the man in the entryway. He was a cop in uniform. “HEY!” he belted. He walked past Akechi and up to Ren. “What’s the big idea?” Ren was confused, as was Akechi. Sojiro was glaring at this man, however. The cop continued, “How did you get this man,” pointing at Sojiro, “to fake your reports?”

Ren was a little less confused now. “Ohhhhhhhhhh.”

“She didn't,” Sojiro said firmly.

The cop turned to him. “It’s OK, you don’t have to lie anymore. I’m here.”

“No really, she didn't,” Sojiro insisted.

The cop was confused for a second. “What does she have on you?” the cop asked.

“I beg your pardon, officer,” Akechi said. “What’s going on?”

The officer turned to Akechi and took note of him for the first time. “Aye, aren’t you that upstart detective kid? Akechi?”

“Well, I’d hardly refer to myself as such, but I guess I can see where you’re coming from,” Akechi replied.

“Heh,” the officer laughed. “Well, if you want your princely reputation to remain intact, then I suggest you leave now.”

“Believe me” Akechi said, grinning, “I’ve worked with shadier cops than yourself.”

The cop was taken aback. “What? No! I meant her” he said, pointing to Ren. Akechi looked over to see Ren was a bit uneasy. “Can’t you tell? She’s a hardened criminal. She’s beaten several people to the brink of death.”

“Hey now!” Sojiro jumped in. “She was only charged with hitting one person. And as far as I know, there wasn’t too much in the way of lasting damage.”

“Yeah, well, that’s how things are,” the cop continued. “For every one crime you find, there’s ten more you don’t,”

“Maybe you’re just not very thorough,” Akechi interjected.

The cop looked at Akechi intently. “What did you just say?”

“Well officer, I don’t mean to brag, but I have quite an exceptional track record,” Akechi explained. “I can figure every aspect of a case just like that.”

“Are you saying you're better than me?” the officer asked.

“Not at all,” Akechi said. “I’m just offering some help from one crimefighter to another.”

The cop stared at Akechi some more. “You think you know everything, huh. Well, just so you know, I’m her parole officer, and I know that she’s been doing all sorts of crimes left and right since she came to Tokyo.”

“I see,” Akechi said, entertaining this idea. “And what evidence do you have to prove it?”

“Well…” the cop said, now on the back foot, “I don’t have any. But she’s been doing stuff. I know it!” he said, trying to regain lost ground.

Akeci chuckled. “I see. Then how about this officer: Why don’t I relieve you of your duty?” Everyone was shocked.

“What are you trying to pull?” the officer asked.

“Why sir, I have no intention of sullying your name” Akechi said. “In fact, this is a win-win for you. If she isn’t committing crimes, then I won’t take the credit for it. You’ll succeed at being a good parole officer. And who knows, maybe a promotion will come your way. But if she is committing crimes, then you can shift the blame onto me. Do we have a deal?”

The cop was intrigued. He went to shake Akechi’s hand. “Deal! I’d love to take you down a peg.”

“If she’s acting as a criminal,” Akechi reminded him.

“You mean when I find the evidence for it” the officer insisted.

“Well, whatever floats your boat,” Akechi said. The cop smiled and left LeBlanc. “Well, that was a lot…”

“Yeah…” Ren moaned.

Akechi smiled. “So, you’re on parole, huh.”

“Yeah…” Ren admitted.

Akechi sat down. “Do you want to tell me what happened? I suspect that the officer might not have their facts straight.”

“You’re telling me,” Sojiro said.

Ren was still a little upset and embarrassed about what just happened, but took Akechi’s invitation and sat down. “A coffee and curry for me.”

Sojiro nodded. He turned to Akechi. “And you?”

“I’ll have what she’s having,” Akechi answered.

Sojiro nodded. “Very well.” He began preparing their orders.

Akechi turned back to Ren. “So, what happened?”

Ren let out a sigh and began explaining her circumstances. “One night, I heard cries from this woman. I investigated, and found a man forcing her into his car. I stood up to this, but he fell down and blamed me. Some officers arrived on the scene, recognized him, and arrested me for assault.”

Akechi was taken aback. “I see…”

Ren looked at him earnestly and asked “Do you believe me?”

Their coffees arrived. Akechi took a sip of his. “My, this is refreshing.” He put his cup down, turned toward Ren and said “To answer your question, I do. Like I told you before, I am no stranger to police shortcomings. The story you told, and the ‘gentleman’ from earlier are just two more drops in that proverbial bucket.”

Ren smiled, relieved. “But you still don’t trust the Phantom Thieves.”

“Ha ha, quick to rebound, I see,” Akechi said. Their curry arrived and they began eating it. “Wow. I must say, this is the most exceptional curry I think I’ve had.”

“Thank you,” Sojiro said. “Tell your friends. Or don’t, if they’re anything like that guy was.”

“Ha ha,” Akechi laughed. “I take it you’re her guardian then?”

Sojiro and Ren were shocked. “Well, yes… Man, you are good” Sojiro said.

“It was a fairly simple deduction,” Akechi assured him. “I could sense a familiarity between you two.”

“Well, we didn’t exactly hide it,” Ren said.

“True,” Akechi said. “So, you’re not from here, correct?”

“Correct,” Ren replied. “My family shipped me out here due to my bad reputation at home worsening with the arrest.”

“I see,” Akechi said, taking another bite. “Truly, this is very enlightening.”

Ren was confused. “How do you figure?”

“Hm hm” Akechi chuckled. “You told me that the Phantom Thieves are helping those who cannot be helped by the current system. People such as yourself.” Akechi.

Ren was now shocked. However, she played it off. “I guess you got me.”

“I don’t mean to negate your point of view,” Akechi said. “In fact, I understand it well. But what I think you should understand is that power corrupts. Sure, the Phantom Thieves are helping the weak now, but who knows? Maybe with that power and the adoration of the people, they might turn tyrannical. And personally, I despise tyrants.”

Ren observed Akechi. She noted that she and him felt similarly, but had different outlooks that lead to them butting heads. She also noticed that for a split second, Akechi was in pain. She decided not to press that now, and instead said “Well, I think that’s obvious.” Akechi looked at her. “I mean, I watched you deal with that officer.”

“Hm. I see you got me as well” Akechi admitted. “I knew I made the right decision becoming friends with you.”

“The feeling’s mutual.”

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 2

The two of them finished their coffee and curry. “That was delightful,” Akechi said. He paid and got up to leave. “Until next time.” He passed through the door.

Sojiro looked at where Akechi stood. “That Akechi kid is one tough nut to crack, huh.” He looked back at Ren. “I guess I can see why you two hit it off.”

Ren grinned. “I’ll take that as a compliment.” Sojiro chuckled. He finished cleaning up and left. Ren meanwhile headed back up to her room.

Notes:

I actually had the idea for the change in the Akechi Confidant when Royal was coming out. I was going to write it to make a more involved Akechi Confidant, but then I learned that Royal did that already, so I shelved it. But now I get to use it here, which I like. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 68: Source of Power

Notes:

So, as I look ahead, it hits me even harder that a lot of the chapters are going to be these confidant chapters. And since we've gotten to a point where we have enough confidants available to do day and night, essentially chapters are going to be a day, with some exceptions of course. Now I'm wondering if I should up the amount of confidants per chapter. It would take longer to update, and the confidant chapters would seem bloated, at least on my end, but it might be better. I mean, I guess it doesn't do anything to the length, since it would be the same amount of words anyway, but it would cut down on the chapter count. This is just a weird side-effect of doing this story.

Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As Ren was leaving school the next day, Ryuji approached her. “Sup?”

“Not much,” Ren replied.

“Cool” Ryuji said. He fidgeted for a moment. “So, we only have a little more than a week before we need to send the calling card. What say you and I go workout? You know, to pump us up?”

Ren nodded. “I’d like that.”

“Alright! Meet ya at the gym!” Ryuji said. He rushed home to get his clothes, and Ren did the same.

Once they got there, they began working out. It was an intensive session, but being with each other also made it fun. When taking a water break, Ryuji chugged some and said “DAMN! I don’t know what it is, but water after a workout like that ALWAYS tastes sweeter!”

Ren took a drink of her water. “You said it.”

Ryuji looked around the gym while Ren took another drink. He noticed a rather muscular woman walking over to the weights. He looked back at Ren “So, are you into muscle women?” Ren spat out her water onto Ryuji. “GAH!”

Ren coughed for a little bit. “Not so loud…”

Ryuji looked at Ren with his face wet from her water. “Sorry.”

Ren composed herself. “It’s...fine actually.” She glanced up at him. “You weren’t actually that loud. I’m just…”

Ryuji smiled. “It’s OK. I get it.” Ren looked at him, confused. “Remember: I punched that asshole Kamoshida for telling people about my homelife. I get being self-conscious about crap like that. I mean, I love my mom to pieces, but… It can be hard, you know.”

Ren was touched by Ryuji’s insightfulness in that moment. She smiled and said “Thanks.” Ryuji slightly chuckled. “To answer your question though, I guess I don’t have a type really.”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, confused. “I mean, I get it, all women are queens, but you have nothing?”

“Well, do you have a type?” Ren asked.

“Oh for sure,” Ryuji said. “I like a woman who doesn’t put up with any BS. Someone who can take control, you know?”

Ren giggled. “Somehow, that does not surprise me.” Ryuji seemed confused at that remark. “But, when you put it that way, I like people who are earnest. People who are unafraid to be themselves.”

“Ah, gotcha,” Ryuji said. “Well, here’s hopin’ we can find someone.” Ren nodded. Ryuji noticed someone else walking by. “Yo…” He started jumping up and down and waving. “IKEDA!”

The boy walked over. “Ryuji?”

“Hey man, what’s bonkin’?” Ryuji said.

“...’Bonkin’’?” Ikeda replied.

“Yeah. It’s a new thing I’m tryin’” Ryuji answered. Ren was intrigued. Ryuji noticed. “Oh, sorry, this is Ikeda, my senpai on the track team.”

“Hey,” Ikeda said.

Ryuji turned back to Ikeda. “And this is my friend Ren. She just transferred in this year.”

“Hello,” Ren said.

“I see,” Ikeda said. “So, what brings you here?”

“Well…” Ryuji said, sort of discouraged, “we just needed a place to work out, you know?”

“I see,” Ikeda said.

“But man, how are you doing?” Ryuji asked. “You know, after…”

“Right…” Ikeda said. “Well, despite everything, I still made the track team at my college.”

“Woah! Good on ya!” Ryuji cheered. “Listen, sorry about-”

“Oh, don’t be,” Ikeda said. “I mean, yeah, I was mad at the time, but I came to realize that Kamoshida was never going to write that letter. He just used you as an excuse.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said. “Well, I guess you’ve always been smarter than I am.”

“I’m just older,” Ikeda said, smiling. “So, where’s the rest of the track team?”

“Oh, uh, they’re practicing…” Ryuji said, dejected. “They’re still mad at me.”

“Huh,” Ikeda said. “I mean, I guess I get that.”

“Yeah…” Ryuji said, understanding it too.

“By the way, has Yamaguchi formally brought them back yet?” Ikeda asked.

“What?” Ryuji asked back.

Ikeda was confused. “They didn’t even tell you that much?” Ryuji shook his head. “Huh. Well, yeah. Well, when they are brought back, I’d like to see a meet, if it doesn’t interfere with anything. College life, and all that.”

“Right,” Ryuji said.

“Well, it was nice seeing you again Ryuji,” Ikeda said. He turned to Ren. “And it was nice meeting you, Miss Ren. Maybe we can-”

“Don’t!” Ryuji said. “It won’t work.”

Ikeda was shocked. “Well, if you say so. Still, it was nice meeting you.”

“Likewise, I guess,” Ren said. Ikeda went to go start his training.

Ryuji got mad. “Yamaguchi’s taking over?”

“Is that bad?” Ren asked.

“Uh, yeah!” Ryuji insisted. “He’s like a Mini-Kamoshida!”

“Yeah, I’d say that’s bad,” Ren agreed.

“I mean, he’s nowhere near as egregious, but he doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself!” Ryuji continued.

Ren had an idea. “Well, he might not be a ruler,” he took out her phone, “but I suspect we could find him in the underground.”

It took Ryuji a second to pick up on what Ren was putting down. “Hmmmm. Nah. At least not right now. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love serving justice PT-style, but let’s see what we can do here first.” Ren put her phone away. She grinned and chuckled. “What’s that about?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh, nothing,” Ren said slyly, reminded of another girl who “takes charge”.

Ryuji was puzzled, but shrugged it off. “For what it’s worth, if it comes to that, I’ll be more than happy to jump on board.” He then began thinking intently.

Ren noted this. “What’s up?” she asked.

“I’m just thinking,” Ryuji said. “I didn’t even know about Yamaguchi comin’ in. Someone who doesn’t even go to the school anymore had to tell me. That’s part of the reason I don’t wanna go there just yet.” He grew even more intense. “I mean, I know they don’t like me, but to be this out of the loop? I think they’re afraid I’d do something like I did with Kamoshida.”

Ren smiled and placed her hand on his shoulder. “I get it. Let’s see what we can do.” Ryuji nodded.

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 5

Ryuji grinned. “In the meantime, let’s finish this workout!”

“Agreed!” Ren shouted. They both continued working out. They finished, showered up, and headed out for the evening.

Just as Ren was about to head into LeBlanc for the night, she got a call on her phone. She answered it. “Hello?”

“Ah, forgive me,” Lavenza said on the other end. “I meant to call you sooner.”

Ren giggled. “It’s no problem. So, you wanna go out and about, I take it?”

“Yes,” Lavenza answered bluntly.

“Very well,” Ren responded. “I’ll meet you by the Velvet Room door.” She hung up and turned back around to meet up with Lavenza.

Once she got there, Lavenza said “Hello.”

Ren smirked. “Do you have any idea where you want to go tonight?”

“I believe I do,” Lavenza said. “I have heard of a place where people go to watch stories that are larger than life on screens equally as large.”

Ren didn’t need to think about this one as much. “Oh, the movie theater. Of course.” She reached out her hand. “Do you want to hold hands again?”

“I am still new to going about, so yes” Lavenza said. She grabbed Ren’s hand, and the two of them headed out. When they got there, Lavenza was in awe at all of the different posters. “Wow.”

“So, do you have any preference for what movie you want to see?” Ren asked.

Lavenza looked up at Ren with her doe eyes and responded “Is there an age limit here as well?”

Ren was a little embarrassed. “Unfortunately, yeah…” she admitted. “But it’s not as limiting as Big Bang Burger.”

Lavenza thought about it. “Perhaps it would be better to air on the side of caution. We don’t want you in more trouble.”

Ren giggled. “I appreciate the thought, but it’s fine. Just pick whatever you want to watch, and I’ll make sure it’s OK for you, sound good?”

Lavenza nodded. “Yes.” She continued looking at the movie posters. “What about that one?”

Ren looked. It was a poster for a new Soreamon movie. “Huh. OK.”

“Is this not appropriate?” Lavenza asked.

“No,” Ren answered. “It’s just been a while since I’ve seen a Soreamon movie.”

“It’s been around since you were a child?” Lavenza asked, surprised.

“Even longer than that,” Ren replied.

“Wow” Lavenza said, awestruck. She grew determined. “Now I definitely want to see it! What is it about this Soreamon that makes it last as long as it does? What is its power?”

Ren giggled. She offered her hand again. “Let’s go.” Lavenza nodded and took her hand. They walked up to the booth. “Two for Soreamon please.” Ren paid and got their tickets. They headed inside. On their way, Ren asked “Do you want any snacks?”

Lavenza looked at the concessions stand. “Hmmm…”

“How ‘bout this?” Ren suggested. “I’ll get a popcorn that we can share, and a drink for each of us.”

“That sounds great,” Lavenza said. She and Ren got in line to do just that. After they got it, they headed to their theater to watch the movie.

As the movie was playing, Ren noticed that Lavenza was really into it. “What?!” Lavenza would say at the next big moment. “Go Soreamon!” She gasped. “YEAH!” Ren couldn’t help but be tickled pink.

Once the movie was over, they exited the theater, throwing their trash away. “So, did you enjoy the movie?” Ren asked, knowing the answer.

Lavenza nodded. “It was very compelling. Did you like it?”

“It’s Soreamon, so what’s not to love?” Ren asked.

“Hmmm” Lavenza thought. “Do you think Soreamon would help us? You know, if he were real.”

Ren smiled. “Of course I do.” Ren then thought about something.

“What’s wrong?” Lavenza said.

“Oh” Ren said, realizing Lavenza had picked up on it. “It’s nothing. I was just remembering something. Before coming here, I was bullied a lot. And it hurts, you know? I didn’t have a Soreamon to try to make things better. My sister would be there for me, but..there’s only so much she can do.” She sighed. “I’m sorry.”

Lavenza hugged Ren. “It’s OK.” Ren looked down. Lavena looked up.

Ren smiled, tousled Lavenza’s hair, and said “Yeah. Thanks.”

Lavenza let go. “I might not have been able to help previously, but I will do anything in my power to help now!”

Ren chuckled. “That means a lot to me.”

Lavenza grew a little disappointed. “That said, I still feel like I depend on you a lot more…”

“No worries,” Ren said. “That’s what strength is sometimes. People coming together to produce a result that could not have happened alone.”

Lavenza was surprised. “So, we can be each other’s Soreamon. I see…”

Ren chuckled some more. “Something like that.”

Lavenza nodded, determined. “Well, I can certainly see why humans like this sort of thing.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “It’s fun, but it shows the heart of humanity in it.”

“Quite” Lavenza said. “I wonder if the Master will allow showings of other things back in the Velvet Room.”

“Well, you can always ask,” Ren said. “If you want, I can help argue with you.”

“I think I can manage,” Lavenza said. “But thank you.”

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 2

Ren walked Lavenza to the Velvet Room, and then headed to LeBlanc for the night.

Before she fell asleep, she messaged her sister.

Ren: I just saw the new Soreamon.

Ren: If you’re still into it, you should check it out.

Sasa: You saw the new Soreamon?

Sasa: Were you babysitting someone?

Ren: Something to that effect.

Sasa: Really?

Sasa: I find that hard to believe.

Ren: There’s a lot you wouldn’t believe about my stay in Tokyo.

Sasa: Huh.

Sasa: I mean, I’ve been in Kyoto for a while.

Sasa: I guess Tokyo is on a whole other level, huh.

Ren: I’d like to go with you to another movie sometime.

Ren: Watching Soreamon with the kid I was looking after reminded me of when we used to do that.

Ren: I kind of miss it.

Ren: Maybe when my parole is up.

Sasa: Maybe.

Sasa: College is a lot more work than high school, you know.

Ren: Yeah.

Sasa: But I would still love to go.

Ren: Goodnight.

Sasa: Goodnight.

Ren put her phone away and went to sleep.

Notes:

I did look up what movies play in P5/P5R, and Soreamon is one of them. It's not at the theater it is in the games, but I figured it would work better here.

I also looked up if Japan has food in its theaters, and the answer is interesting. According to the website I found, older people usually avoid eating food in the theater itself, and will opt to buy popcorn for after the movie, while younger people have adopted the Western style of movie-going and will eat in a theater, although they will try to be more quite.

Chapter 69: Never Enough

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next day, chipper as can be. She got ready, ate, and went to school. At school, she did well in class, had a nice time with her friends during breaks, and no one bullied her whatsoever. Well, some people in the Pro-Akechi camp were not so thrilled to see her, but that’s nothing she couldn’t handle. Overall, it seemed like Ren was having a good day.

However, something about this good day bothered her a little bit. So when class was over for the day, she stood up and told her friend Ann “I’m going to go see Dr. Maruki.”

Ann was surprised. “Huh? Are you alright?”

Ren smiled at her with a hint of pain in her expression. “I’ll be alright. I just want a little bit of perspective.”

“Oh…” Ann said. “Well, if you need anything, don’t be afraid to give me a call.”

Ren felt a little more relieved at that statement. “Thanks.” She started walking over to Maruki’s office.

She knocked on the door. “Come in!” Maruki said. Ren opened the door. Maruki was a bit surprised. Though he quickly recovered and asked “Do you have another metaverse question?”

Ren flopped herself on the couch. “No,” she said bluntly.

“Then what seems to be the issue?” Maruki asked.

Ren sighed. “Before I came to Tokyo, I had a falling out with my sister.”

“Oh my” Maruki said.

“But after our most recent inclusion into the metaverse, I finally had the courage to reach out to her” Ren continued.

“How did that go?” Maruki asked.

Ren smiled. “It went better than I could have imagined.” She scowled again. “But…”

“But what?” Maruki pressed. 

Ren looked sad. “Ever since coming to Tokyo, I’ve been making friends, I’ve been helping people, I haven’t been bothered by bullies all that much. To some, I must look like an ordinary school girl. And I want that, but I can’t help but wonder when that’s all going to come crashing down. When am I going to return to the outcast?”

“Ah,” Maruki said. “You know, we talked about this last time you stopped by.”

“Right” Ren remembered. “And I think I’ve been getting better with the people who are close to me, but when I look at random people walking around, I can’t help but wonder when they’ll see the me that the people in my hometown see.”

“Hm. Well, that kind of stuff happens to the best of us” Maruki responded.

“Are you just saying that?” Ren asked.

“No, it’s true,” Maruki said. “When I was in college, one of the guest lecturers for a semester was well renowned in the field of psychology. And I mean WELL renowned. Yet the first thing he said at his first lecture was ‘To tell you the truth, I don’t belong here’. Everyone was really surprised. He continued on, saying that he was really serious about this. He explained how he felt like his contributions were very minor at best.

He then explained that despite that, he continues to work, and he is acknowledged for it. He said that you have to be ready for that kind of information if you wish to help people, and that while that was a teaching moment, it was very much real. ‘Humans are inconsistent at best’ he said.”

“Huh” Ren said, not sure what to do with that information.

“You said that you’re doing better when it comes to people you’re close with?” Maruki asked. Ren nodded. “Well, that’s a good start.”

“But how do I stop feeling this about strangers?” Ren asked.

“Well, that’s a little more complex,” Maruki admitted. “But something that helped me is some perspective.” Ren looked at him, wondering what he was going to say next. “Recently, someone came in here and said that they appreciated what I was doing for them. This was just after I explained that I couldn’t bend the world to my whim. I was on the cusp of such power, and I believed that such power would help everyone. When I was told that I am good as I was, I was a little perplexed for sure, but it helped me understand things in a new light.”

Ren was intrigued. “So, what kind of perspective should I take?”

“That’s the thing,” Maruki said. “You don’t know until you find it.” Ren was a little disappointed. “That said, I have an idea. You’ve told me before that things aren’t always as they appear, correct?” Ren nodded again. “Well, you think the crowd is going to turn against you, but maybe that too is something that might not be as it seems.”

Ren was perplexed. She started thinking about it. “The last time I thought that… It didn’t go well…”

Maruki nodded. “And it might not go well this time either.” Ren was surprised at this. “I know that’s not what you want to hear, but it is the truth. “ He got a little sad. “I’ve been recently thinking of dating again, and it’s hard. I keep thinking ‘I’ll never find someone like Rumi.’ But it’s something I have to try. Otherwise, I’ll just live in the past forever.”

Ren smiled. “That ‘it’s OK to break’ thing again?”

“Ha ha, well, it works,” Maruki explained.

“I think so as well,” Ren agreed. “It’s helped me open up a little more. But just to throw something your way, do you want to find someone like Rumi?”

“I beg your pardon?” Maruki asked.

“I mean, I don’t know a whole lot about dating and stuff,” Ren began, “I mean, I’ve never been engaged. But do you really want to find a Rumi 2.0, or do you want to find someone to love?”

Maruki was stunned. He began chuckling. “You never cease to impress me.” He sighed. “I’ve never thought of it like that before. I guess we both need to work on our issues.”

“On the plus side, I think we’re getting somewhere” Ren said.

“True,” Maruki said. He then looked at Ren intently. “Do you think that you would ever want the world without pain I wanted to make?” Ren was confused again. “I’m just thinking. You’re a very strong-willed person, and if I had influence in the metaverse, there’s a chance you and I would cross paths. Would we be friends? Or would we clash?”

Ren thought about that question for a moment. “I don’t know,” she answered. “A part of me likes the way that sounds. I might be tempted. But it feels like you’d be robbing humanity of what makes it human.”

“Oh?” Maruki inquired.

“Take what happened with Sumire for example,” Ren said. “Sure, you might have helped her a bit, but she was never standing on her own two feet. She was being propped up by a lie, and not a healthy one at that. While it would be an idealist dream, it would be built on lies, when dealing with the truth is what makes us the most human.”

Maruki smiled. “I see. I guess that meant we’d fight eventually.”

“I guess so…” Ren said.

“To be honest, I prefer this way,” Maruki said. “Where we’re both helping each other instead of fighting. Partially because I don’t think I would win.”

Ren giggled. “I like it this way too.”

Councilor-Takato Maruki: Rank 3

Ren stood up. “Thank you, Dr. Maruki” she said, bowing.

“Thank you as well,'' Maruki said. She grabbed a snack and headed out.

As she was leaving, she got a text from Ann.

Ann: Hey.

Ann: I’m at a crepe stand.

Ann: I invited a few others as well.

Ann: Wanna stop by?

Ren: I’d like that.

Ann: Great!

Ann: I’ll send you the deetz.

Ann gave her the directions and Ren was off.

When she arrived, Ann and Shiho were there. “Hey!” Ann said, cheerful as can be.

“Hey” Ren said.

“You feeling better?” Ann asked.

“I think so,” Ren answered.

“Did something happen?” Shiho inquired.

“Not really,” Ren replied. “I just went to visit Dr. Maruki over something.”

“Oh” Shiho said. “Do you wanna talk about it?”

“What’s going on?” a voice asked from behind Ren. She turned around to see it was Sumire.

“Oh, hey Sumire!” Ann said. “Ren was just explaining that she went to Dr. Maruki’s today.”

“Oh!” Sumire said. “Is everything OK?” she asked.

“It should be,” Ren said. “I dunno. It’s just something’s been bothering me, and Dr. Maruki helped me put things into perspective.”

“Oh. I see” Sumire said.

“I’ll get into it more when we order our crepes,” Ren said. “Unless you invited anyone else?”

“Oh right” Ann said. “Nah, it’s just the four of us.” She turned to the person behind the counter and placed their order. Once they started eating, Ann reacted “MMMMMMMMM. So yummy!”

“You said it!” Ren said. “This is delicious!”

“So, what happened?” Sumire asked.

Ren was a little surprised. “Oh, right.” She took another bite. “Well, I was just starting to worry about when everyone around me will start to...well...not like me…”

The others were surprised. “We like you,” Shiho said in between bites.

“I mean like strangers…” Ren elaborated. “I know you like me.”

“Nah, I get it,” Ann said. “I’m a part-time model. I put myself out there for a lot of people. Sometimes I think I’m not good enough for them. But the numerous people watching me makes me want to do better, you know?”

“I get what you mean,” Sumire said. “Doing all these gymnastics meets and...not being as good as Kasumi was...it definitely took its toll on me….but now, I feel like I have to try, you know? I don’t want to give up.”

Ren smiled and then chuckled for a brief second. She sighed. “You’re right. Thanks.” Ren was blushing a little bit. Sumire, being thanked in such a way also started to blush.

“By the way, when is your next meet?” Ann asked. “We wanted to come cheer you on.”

“Ann told me about this,” Shiho said. “I could probably make it too if I have nothing really going on.”

“Oh right” Sumire said, stunning her. “It’s, um, Tuesday…”

“Tuesday huh” Ren said. “I’ll be there.”

“I’ll, um, send everyone the details later,” Sumire said.

“Oh, don’t be so nervous,” Ann said. “You’ll do great.”

“Yeah, we’ll be cheering for you all the way!” Shiho encouraged.

Sumire smiled. “Thanks everyone.” They finished their crepes and went their separate ways for the evening.

When she got back to LeBlanc, Ren was in the mood to have a chill Saturday night. She saw the payphone and decided to give Kawakami a call. Once she got there, Kawakami greeted her like last time. “~Thank you for requesting me.~” She groaned. “Do you want me to do that every time?”

“Hmm” Ren thought. “Well, it is kind of fun.”

“Hm” Kawakami groaned again. “Figures I couldn’t get out of it.” She composed herself. “So, what are we doing tonight?”

Ren went back into thought. “Do you cook?”

“Yeah, I can cook,” Kawakami replied. “So, you want me to cook then?”

“If you don’t mind,” Ren said.

“Well, you are paying me…” Kawakami bemoaned. She grew more confident. “OK! I can do this!”

Ren chuckled a bit. “Do you want my help?”

“Huh,” Kawakami said. “N-no, it’s OK. Tonight, you’re just a customer. I can do it myself.” Kawakami started heading down.

“Fine” Ren said. She got up. “But I’ll at least keep you company.”

Kawakami looked at her and smiled. “~Very well, Master.~” she said. The two of them headed downstairs. Ren sat down at one of the booths while Kawakami began cooking. “Let’s see, for one person…”

“You can make some for yourself too,” Ren said. “If you’re hungry.”

Kawakami was awestruck. “~Thank you Master~” she said gratefully. She finished preparing a dish for the two of them to share.

Once she was done, she set the plates down. “~Here you go~” she said.

Ren smiled. “Thank you.” She began eating. “This is very good.”

“Thank you,” Kawakami said, sitting down. She took a bite. “Wow. You’re not just saying it, huh.”

“I never ‘just say’ anything,” Ren explained.

Kawakami giggled. Just then she got a phone call. “Hold on. I gotta take this.” She answered. “Uh huh...Oh…” she grew sadder. “No, yeah...you’ll get it…” Ren could slightly hear the person on the other end, and she could tell they were angry. “No need to worry...right...yeah...bye.” She hung up. “Eh heh he” Kawakami tried laughing off. “That was just the medical people...you know, for my sister…”

“Yeah,” Ren said. She didn’t know why, but she knew Kawakami was lying. However, she decided not to push the issue at the moment.

Once they finished their meals, Kawakami stood up and said “Well, it’s been fun, but I should get going. I have a few more clients to get to.” She smiled. “Thanks.” She started to leave.

“Wait” Ren said. Kawakami turned around. Ren got out some more money. “Here.”

Kawakami was confused. “Oh, no I couldn’t…”

“I insist,” Ren said.

Kawakami was nervous. “Well…” She grabbed it. “Thanks.” She sighed. “It’s nice to have nights like this.”

“Yeah. I agree” Ren replied.

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 3

Ren watched Kawkami leave, and then stared at the space she used to occupy. She then put the dishes away and started cleaning them. She sighed.

“Hey” Morgana said, making his appearance. “You OK?”

“Yeah,” Ren replied.

Morgana was still uneasy. “You want to help her, don’t you?”

“Of course,” Ren said. She stopped cleaning the dishes. “I just don’t know how.”

“I know how you feel,” Morgana empathized. “But these things take time. Besides, I think stuff like tonight helps just a little bit.”

Ren smiled. “You’re right.” She looked down. “Thanks.” She started doing the dishes again. Once she finished, she went upstairs and headed to bed.

Notes:

I feel like the scene after Maruki's confidant with the girls can make sense despite it immediately going to evening after you do something in the game because of the more narrative structure of this story. It's also how I'm sort of perceiving how Ren keeps her jobs despite doing two confidants a day, and I'm just not going into them entirely because it's less important. I don't think anyone will complain, but it's just how I am sometimes. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 70: A Breath of Fresh Air

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren got up the next morning from the sound of her phone receiving texts. She was a bit groggy, but checked them. They were from Yusuke.

Yusuke: I beg your pardon.

Yusuke: But might I stop over.

Yusuke: I wish to show you the piece I came up with after our trip into Mementos.

Ren: Sure.

Ren: Just give me some time.

Ren: I just woke up.

Yusuke: Ah!

Yusuke: Forgive me.

Yusuke: I didn’t mean to wake you up.

Ren: It’s fine. I had to do it some time.

Yusuke: I guess that’s true.

Yusuke: Very well, just message me when you are ready.

Ren: I will.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone down and started getting ready for the day.

As she was eating, she looked up and said “Hey Boss.” Sojiro looked back at her. “One of my friends is coming over today. Is that cool?

Sojiro went back to working. “Yeah. that’s fine” he replied.

“Thanks Boss” Ren said. She finished her breakfast and messaged Yusuke that now was a good time to come over.

Yusuke walked in holding his painting. Sojiro was surprised. “Another painting?!”

“It’s not for me,” Ren said.

“Whew” Sojiro sighed. “I don’t think we’d have any more room for another one.”

“By the way, how are the patrons enjoying the Sayuri?” Yusuke asked.

Sojiro looked at Yusuke intently. “People like it,” he said.

Yusuke was relieved. “I was sort of worried that with what happened to Madarame-”

“You don’t need to worry,” Sojiro interrupted. “Your friend, Kouske, stopped by and explained the nature of the painting. Been telling everyone who asked since.”

Yusuke was awestruck. “He did that?”

Sojiro nodded. “What did he tell you?” Ren asked, worried that Sojiro might find out about the metaverse.

“He said that Madarame himself didn’t have the courage to paint over it, so he replicated it,” Sojiro said. “And that this was hidden until his arrest.” Ren sighed, relieved.

Yusuke smiled. “Hm. Well, I appreciate it. Thank you, Boss.” Sojiro smiled. Yusuke walked over to Ren. “Shall we?” Ren nodded, got up off of her stool, and the two headed upstairs. 

Once Yusuke was finished setting up, he unveiled his painting. “BEHOLD! ‘The Garden of Madness’!” Ren looked at the painting intently. It captured the feeling of Mementos to a tee. The dirt was desolate, and the flowers growing felt sinister. It looked bleak and uninviting, but at the same time captivating. “What do you think?”

“I like it,” Ren said. “Although I am a bit biased. I know what all of it is, and I understand it.”

“Hmmm,” Yusuke said. “Do you think this will be much of an issue?”

“Well, I guess it depends on what you want to get across,” Ren explained. 

Yusuke thought about it some more. “I wish to capture the idea that even if we are in the same space, under certain conditions, humans can feel isolated, and dislike each other.”

“If you want to do that, I can show you photos from my old school,” Ren offered.

“Huh?” Yusuke said, confused.

Ren giggled. “That was a joke. Kind of.” She got a little more serious. “I make jokes like that from time to time as another defense mechanism.”

“I see,” Yuuke said.

“Have you found something to try and work past Madarame?” Ren asked.

Yusuke looked disappointed. “Well, not really in the manner you do things. But I am hoping that my true skill will shine through now that Madarame isn’t blocking it like an eclipse.”

“That would be a cool idea for a painting,” Ren said. “You as the sun, and Madarame blocking you as the moon.”

“Perhaps” Yusuke said. “But if at all possible I’d like to avoid the subject entirely.”

“I getcha,” Ren said. “But it could help to lean into it. After all, that’s kind of what we did at the hot pot celebration.”

“While that is true, I think that’s more a moment between us” Yusuke retorted.

“Hm, you have a point,” Ren said.

“Ah, forgive me,” Yusuke said. “I know you are just trying to help, but I keep shooting down your ideas.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “It’s your art after all. You have the final say in what you do and don’t make.”

“Hm” Yusuke chuckled. “You’re right.” He smiled. “For the first time in my life, my art is mine and mine alone.” He looked at his painting again. “I can say I feel very proud of this. And I can do so to anyone I meet.” He looked back at Ren. “Thank you.”

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 2

They spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out in Ren’s room, watching stuff, playing games, and eating snacks. Yusuke had to leave to get back to the dorms before curfew. They said their farewells, and Yusuke was off.

A little while later, Ren got a text from Yoshida.

Yoshida: Good evening.

Yoshida: Would you like to help me with my speech tonight?

Ren: Of course!

Yoshida: Thank you very much, Amamiya-chan.

Ren finished what she was doing and headed out.

Once she got there, Yoshida was pleased to see her. “How are you doing tonight?” he asked.

Ren decided to be honest. “I’ve been in a mood recently, but outside of that, I feel good.”

“Oh” Yoshida said. “Do you want to talk about it?”

Ren shrugged. “I guess.” She took a breath. “I don’t know, sometimes, I feel like...maybe I just don’t belong…”

Yoshida was surprised. “Well, that is something. But I can tell you for certain that you belong.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks for trying to cheer me up.”

“I’m serious,” Yoshida said. “In fact, tonight’s topic is about just that.”

“Really?” Ren asked. Yoshida nodded. “Well then, I think we should get started.”

“Ah ha, right you are,” Yoshida said. He went to make his preparations, while Ren grabbed the card advertising tonight’s speech. “Tonight’s Topic: Second Chances”.

The crowd gathered, and Ren and Yoshida were in place. Yoshida began his speech. “People of Tokyo! I must thank you. While it is true that I have not been the best politician in the past, I appreciate your ability to give me a second chance. A second chance is a valuable thing. However, it means different things to different people.

While my second chance is one of earning back lost trust, to some a second chance is a chance to belong. For far too long, people have been brushing other people aside for their own benefit. Yet the people who are brushed aside need a chance to live themselves. Otherwise, only those who prey on others will succeed.

I know from experience that only fulfilling one’s selfish desires leads to a lonely path. However, some people choose to walk that path anyway. Those people often embark on a path of destruction, and wind up doing things that can never be forgiven.

I was close to being in such a position myself. Thankfully, I was forced away from it before I could get too careless. So thank you, people of Tokyo, for putting me in my place. And thank you for giving me a second chance.”

He looked at Ren. Ren was a little surprised. “And I can tell you this, when you give someone a second chance who needs it, it feels wonderful. Thank you.” The crowd applauded.

Ren and Yoshida met up after the speech. “What did you think, Amamiya-chan?”

Ren smiled. “It...it was wonderful.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” said a voice from behind Yoshida. They looked at the man approaching.

“Dietman Matsushita?!” Yoshida said, aghast.

“Long time, no see,” Matsushita said, offering his hand to shake.

Yoshida shook his hand. “What brings you here?”

“I heard you’ve been giving speeches,” Matsushti answered. “I wanted to see one.”

Yoshida folded his arms. “Is that all?”

“Ah ha, you still know how to speak politician, I see,” Matsushita laughed. “You’re running for office, aren’t you?”

“Of course,” Yoshida said.

“But according to my knowledge, you are running as an independent,” Matsushita continued.

“What are you getting at?” Yoshida said.

“I’m offering you a chance to join my coalition,” Matsushita explained. “We can offer all sorts of support.”

Yoshida grew serious. “There’s a catch, isn’t there?”

“Tch tch tch. Nothing gets past you, does it?” Matsushita said. “While nothing is certain, we might have to ask you to wait for the next election.” Yoshida grew angry. “It can’t be helped. There are other forces in play. You understand, right?”

“I do,” Yoshida said. “Sorry old friend, but I must decline.” Matsushita was surprised. “While I understand what you are saying, I wish to work on earning the voter’s trust my own way. I’m sure you’re familiar with that feeling as well, being a part of the Kuramoto Children.”

Matsushita nodded. “That I do, old friend.” He looked over at Ren. “I see you have an assistant now. How did you manage that?”

“I just liked his speeches,” Ren answered bluntly.

“Amamiya-chan’s really smart,” Yoshida said. Ren blushed slightly. “She’s going places.”

Matsushita smiled. “With you guiding her, I don’t doubt it.” He took out his card and gave it to Yoshida. “My offer still stands. If you change your mind at all, don’t hesitate to give me a call.”

Yoshida took the card. “Thank you, but I feel my response will stay the same.”

“Well, if it does, I hope it works out for you,” Matsushita said. He left as briskly as he entered.

Yoshida groaned. “...Matsushita…”

“Are you OK?” Ren asked.

Yoshida looked at her. “Oh, yes, of course. How about you? Are you OK?”

Ren smiled. “Yeah. Thanks.”

Yoshida smiled back. “Well, I’m glad you’re doing better.” He looked up. “To be honest, I was thinking about taking his deal,” he looked back at Ren, “but I remembered that I had to stay true to myself. Otherwise, my most ardent supporter might leave me.”

Ren was a little worried. “I wouldn’t leave you. I get it. Sort of. I mean, I get help from my friends too. And getting elected isn’t easy, so if you need help…”

Yoshida was stunned by Ren’s understanding of the situation. He smiled. “It’s alright. I’m getting the best help I could possibly get.”

Ren was overjoyed when she heard that. She nodded and said “Same here.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 4

“Ah, have you had dinner yet?” Yoshida said.

“Um, no,” Ren answered.

“Well then, let’s go out! My treat” Yoshida offered. Ren nodded. The two of them had dinner. After that, they headed back home for the evening.

 

Notes:

I was really struggling to find a title for this chapter, but I think it worked out OK. The real challenge is finding titles that fit the theme without repeating ideas. Not just in the sense of using the same name, but also using synonyms. It's getting tricky, but hopefully it'll work out. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 71: Ignition

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Sumire messaged the group.

Sumire: I’ve told some people already

Sumire: But my meet is tomorrow after school.

Sumire: Here’s the location.

Sumire sent them the location.

Ann: Can’t wait!

Makoto: Um, not to drag things down, but we still have to worry about Kaneshiro…

Ryuji: No problem.

Ryuji: We can work on it the day after.

Makoto: That actually works quite nicely.

Sumire: I like that idea as well.

Sumire: Thank you, everyone.

Ryuji: What’s this about?

Sumire: I feel like I’ve been able to do, well, all of this thanks to you.

Sumire: I just want to show my appreciation.

Ryuji: Are you still nervous?

Sumire: Um, a little.

Ryuji: I could tell.

Ryuji: I was the same way before a track meet.

Ren: Don’t worry. We know you’re going to do great!

Ann: Yeah! We’ll be cheering you on the whole way!

Yusuke: I must admit, I’m rather excited.

Jose: Same.

Jose: I’m interested to see how the human spirit fairs in a competition.

“If I know Sumire,” Morgana said, jutting out of Ren’s bag, “she’ll ace this thing!”

Ren: Morgana says you’re going to ace the meet.

Sumire: Hm hm. Tell him thank you.

“...I can read these…” Morgana said. “But it’s always appreciated.” Ren rolled her eyes.

Makoto: Well, it seems like we have a plan.

Ryuji: Yeah! Sumire will kick the competition’s butt, then we’ll hit Kaneshiro where it hurts!

Makoto: ...Not the most eloquent way of putting it, but accurate.

Ren: See you all then.

Sumire: Right. I’ve got to get to practice.

Ann: Seeya!

Ryuji: Later!

Yusuke: Goodbye.

Makto: See you then.

Jose: I can’t wait.

Ren was just about to put her phone away when she got another alert; this time from Jose personally.

Jose: Hey, can we talk?

Ren: Sure.

Ren: What’s this about?

Jose: Mainly, I’m just confused.

Jose: Can you meet me at my dorm?

Ren: OK.

Ren: See you then.

Ren put her phone away and headed to Kosei.

Once she was in Jose’s room, she was surprised to see the amount of flowers in the room. Then she remembered Jose was here as a flower arranger, and it made sense to her. “So, what’s up?”

Jose looked puzzled. “Well, I’ve been researching forbidden love,” he explained, “but the more I learn, the more I just don’t get it.”

Ren sat down. “How come?”

Jose grew more confused. “Well, apparently, there’s a lot of ways for a love to be forbidden. And so far, the only one that makes sense if the people who are in love are related. I don’t know why, but it feels weird.”

“Well, at least you’ve got that down” Ren said, trying to put a positive spin on it.

“But like, any other reason I come across just makes no sense to me” Jose continued. “If love is powerful enough to unite two rival families, or unite people of two different social classes, or just even to unite two people, why would anyone forbid it?”

Ren grinned a broken smile. “It’s because love is that powerful that people forbid it.” Jose seemed stunned, but intrigued. “Usually, when people forbid love, it’s because they want to exert their power over one of the most powerful things in the world.”

“Huh,” Jose said, stunned. “I think I get it. Madarame wielded power over his students. Kaneshiro wields power over those he controls too. It’s like that.”

“See? You’re getting it” Ren said.

Jose seemed a little disappointed. “Are...we the same?”

“Huh?” Ren responded, genuinely shocked by the question.

Jose looked over at her. “I mean, we’re fighting Eris, who embodies another powerful force. Does that leave us on the same level?”

Ren grinned and chuckled slightly. “Hm. I can see why you might think that, but it is different.”

“How do you figure?” Jose asked.

“Well,” Ren began, “ remember what you told me?” Jose was trying to think about what Ren was getting at. “You told me that when we helped you and expected nothing in return that that was linked with love. So yes, we are fighting another powerful concept, that of chaos, but we are doing it in the name of love. We are sharing our love to those we wish to protect.”

“I see,” Jose replied, filled with new understanding. “So, just like Eris is a warrior of chaos, we are warriors of love.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“But wouldn’t chaos’s natural opponent be order?” Jose asked.

“It is,” Ren said, “but we aren’t on the side of order either. Order keeps those in power able to forbid love.”

Jose giggled. “Right.” He pumped his fists. “OK. I think I’m ready.”

“Ready for what?” Ren asked.

Jose smiled. “To help that couple.”

“Oh…” Ren remembered. “Well, just remember, tread carefully. We don’t want this to go awry.”

“Oh. Right” Jose said. “Hmmm. Maybe I should wait a bit and plan on how to do that.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Ren said.

“Hm. Thanks Ren” Jose said.

Aeon-Jose: Rank 4

“You wanna do anything else?” Ren asked.

“As much as I’d like that, exams are coming up” Jose answered.

“Gotcha” Ren replied. “Well, we’ll have all summer to do stuff.”

“Right,” Jose said. “Thanks for stopping by.” Ren got up, waved goodbye, and headed out.

As Ren was healing out, she got a message from Mishima.

Mishima: Hey.

Mishima: Wanna hang out?

Mishima: I wanna show you my appreciation, as well as the site’s appreciation too.

Ren: Um, sure.

Mishima: Great!

Mishima: Meet me on Central Street.

Ren: OK.

Mishia: Great!

Mishima: Seeya!

Ren rode the rails to get to Central Street. From there, it was just a simple matter of finding Mishima. “Hey!” he said when she found him. “Glad you could make it.

Ren smiled. “So, what's this appreciation?”

“Follow me,” Mishima said, grinning all the while. Ren shrugged and went along with him. They ended up at the buffet that she, Morgana, Ann, and Ryuji went to after Kamoshida confessed. “Ta-da!” Mishima said. “What do you think?”

“Hm,” Ren said.

“Oh. Are you not impressed?” Mishima asked, concerned. He became frustrated. “I should have known. You’re much better than this. Stupid Mishima!’

“Huh?” Oh, no it’s great!” Ren said, sort of confused about his temperament at the moment. “It’s just...well...I’ve been here before.”

“Oh” Mishima said, relieved. He started grinning again. “Ha ha. That makes sense.”

Ren became curious. “But this place is kind of expensive. How are we paying?”

“Well, that’s simple,” Mishima explained. “As the head of...well, you know...I’ve been receiving donations!”

Ren was utterly perplexed. “You haven’t been soliciting  people for money, have you?”

“No, of course not,” Mishima said. “People on the site just want to help out. That’s all.” Ren looked at him suspiciously. “I’m serious! You really think I’d ask for money? Especially enough to go here?”

“Hmmmm” Rent thought. “I’m not sure.”

“They donated their money to help a just cause!” Mishima defended. He then had a thought. “Although, I guess spending it on extravagant meals doesn’t help anyone but ourselves, huh. Plus, I don’t think we’d fit in.”

“Yeah…” Ren said, remembering some of the interactions from last time.

Mishima smiled. “Let’s just go to a ramen place.”

“I’d like that,” Ren said. They left the buffet, and went to go get ramen.

As they were eating, Mishima wondered “So, what should I do with all of the money I got?” Ren looked over and slurped some noodles in her mouth. “I mean, I’m getting a LOT! I don’t know what to do with it.”

Once Ren was finished slurping, she said “Well, why don’t you funnel it back into the site? I’m sure you can make some improvements.”

Mishima was shocked. “You’re right! You’re totally right! I could upgrade the hosting, I can work on the UI, I can add features. The sky’s the limit!” He chuckled slightly. “I guess I still need to work on how to focus my energy.”

“You’re gettin’ there” Ren assured him.

“Yeah,” Mishima said. “Thanks to you guys, and the Phansite community, I feel like I’m getting somewhere. That I’m not just something to push down.” He chuckled some more. “Just you wait, world! Yuuki Mishima is coming!” Ren smiled at Mishima’s attitude.

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 4

They finished their ramen, and headed back home for the night.

Notes:

I know I've been pumping out chapters left and right recently, but I'm really excited. I didn't update this story at all in October, and I kind of missed doing so. I'm still not 100% sure what it is about this story that gets me as excited as I am about it. But whatever. I feel like I might take another break once the treasure is taken, so I thought about pacing it out, but part of me really wants to go for it, you know?

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 72: If You're Gonna Take A Chance, Then Take A Chance On Me

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren got up the next morning. She looked out the window. She smiled. Today was the day of Sumire’s gymnastics meet, and she was excited about it. She got out of bed and got dressed.

As she was eating breakfast, she began her usual silent ritual when she wants to support a girl she likes. I’m sure Sumire will do well today. So well in fact that some hunk is going to ask her out on the spot, and she’ll say “Yes” and they’ll go off, and have three kids, all the while treating me as a friend. At least, until she finds out I secretly like her, and haven’t stopped liking her, even though she’s on her third kid. Yep. Just like it always is.

Ren sighed. Still, I can’t be mad. No one can control who they love. I just have to grin and bear it. Besides, Sumire is so nice, I bet she won’t have as much of a negative reaction. ...I don’t know if that’s better or worse.

“Hey” Sojiro said, shaking her out of thought. “You OK? You look a little pale.”

“Oh, yeah, of course,” Ren said. “I’m just a bit excited is all.”

“How come?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, you know Sumire,” Ren began.

Sojiro nodded. “Your red-headed friend.” “Right,” Ren replied. “She’s a gymnast, and today is one of her gymnastic meets. My friends and I are going to watch”

“Oh?” Sojiro said. “Well, tell her I wish her good luck.”

“I will,” Ren said. She finished her breakfast, and headed off to school.

When Ren got to school, Ann met up with her. “Hey!”

“Hey Ann,” Ren said.

“Are you excited?” Ann said.

Ren smiled. “Of course. I’m sure Sumire will do excellent!”

“I know, right?!” Ann said. She grew a little less energetic. “How are you doing?”

“I’m fine,” Ren smiled. Ann stared her down. “What’s with that look?”

“Well,” Ann said, “I know how you feel about Sumire.”

“I’m fine!” Ren insisted. She sighed. “I’ll BE fine.”

“Are you sure?” Ann asked.

“Yeah…” Ren said. “This isn’t my first rodeo.”

“Well, if you ever need anything, I’ll be there for you” Ann assured her.

Ren smiled. “So, how did you know what I was feeling?”

Ann blushed a little. “Um, I don’t know. I guess it’s a friend thing.” In actuality, Ann felt a similar feeling whenever Ryuji did well at a track meet. She was worried that some other girl might find him attractive and want to ask him out. However, she didn’t fully realize or understand that that was happening, so it stands to reason she wasn’t able to tell Ren.

“Well, you’re a good friend,” Ren said. “So it makes sense that your friend sense is that good.”

“Heh heh” Ann laughed. “Come on. Let’s go to class.” The two walked to class.

Meanwhile, Sumire was on her way to class when someone bumped into her. “Sorry” said the other student.

Sumire turned around to see it was Kisa. “Hagiwara?” Kisa tried walking around her, but Sumire stopped her. “Wait! Um, how are you?”

Kisa took a bit of time to answer. “Um, nervous I guess.”

Sumire smiled. “Wanna know something? Me too.” Kisa was confused. “Today I have a gymnastics meet. It’ll be the first since...well...my sister passed…”

“Oh” Kisa said. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s OK,” Sumire assured her. “I have my parents, and I have great friends. I might not be there yet, but with their help, I’m getting better. And I’m sure things will work for you.”

“I can only hope…” Kisa said.

Sumire grew serious. “Makoto-senpai told me about what happened.” Kisa was shocked. “I know she’s working hard to fix everything. She’s doing it for you. She will get it done. I promise.”

Kisa was stunned. She smiled.”Do...you think I could come watch you? At your meet?”

Sumire giggled. “Of course. Here, I’ll send you the details. Um, right, I don’t think I have your number.”

Kisa giggled back. “Here you go” she said, getting out her phone. They exchanged contact information, and Sumire sent her the details.

Once that was done, Sumire said “We should hurry and get to class.” Kisa nodded. On their way, Sumire asked “Oh. Um, would it be possible to call you by your first name? You can do the same for me. In fact, I prefer it among friends.”

Kisa smiled. “Sure, Sumire.”

Sumire smiled. “Kisa.” They got to class.

During the morning class, Sumire sent a message to the group chat.

Sumire: Remember, we’re going to steal the treasure as soon as possible.

Makoto: Where’s this coming from?

Sumire: I talked with Kisa this morning.

Sumire: She was kind of nervous.

Sumire: I assured her things will be alright.

Sumire: And now I want to follow-through!

Makoto: Well said.

Ryuji: Hell Yeah!

Ann: We’re gonna do it!

Yusuke: What a marvelous speech.

Jose: I hope you do your gymnastics as well as you did getting us pumped.

Ren was blushing. This is exactly what she loved about Sumire. She began responding.

Ren: Thank you for that.

Ren: It’s just what we needed.

Ren: Now go be what the gymnastics world needs.

Sumire blushed in response. Mostly from Ren’s words, but everyone’s kind words got to her.

Sumire: Thank you everyone.

They put their phones away. Sumire was a bit nervous. “I’m going to be what this word needs, even if you don’t need me anymore…”

The morning classes finished, and it was time for lunch. As Ren was getting up she got a message.

Sumire: Hey Senpai.

Sumire: Can you meet me in private?

Sumire: There’s something I need to tell you.

Ren’s face was pale. Her heart was racing a mile a minute. Still, she responded.

Ren: Sure. Where at?

Sumire: Outside. By the vending machines.

Ren: OK. I’ll be there.

Ren put her phone away. She started rushing off. “Where are you going?” Ann asked.

“I’ll be right back!” Ren said. Ann watched her leave. She was concerned, but decided not to interfere for now.

Once Ren got to the vending machines, she saw Sumire facing away from her. She walked closer. “Sumire?”

“Hello,” Sumire said. She turned around. Ren could tell she was nervous. “I need to tell you something.” Ren nodded, unsure of what this was about. Sumire continued. “I...want to thank you...for everything you’ve done for me. From the moment we met, I knew you’d be special to me. And you’ve done nothing but help me ever since.

I’ve always struggled with being myself. But with you, it’s not a struggle at all. With you, I want to be myself.” She sighed. “However, there’s a part of me that I need to express. It’s a part of me society might frown upon, and a part I thought I could keep inside. But now, because of you, I can’t.”

Sumire took a deep breath. “The truth is, I’m bisexual.” Ren was shocked. “And…” Sumire took another breath. “I...I like you. No. I love you. I love you Ren Amamiya.” Ren was now visibly shaken. “I don’t care what you think. I don’t care if you hate me, because I will never hate you. If I have to leave the Phantom Thieves because you can’t accept me, that’s fine. Because I need to be me, and you taught me that.”

Ren was trying to process this all. The girl in front of her proclaimed their love for her. This was an event that Ren had never considered. She didn’t know how to react. Her neck gave out, and tears started dripping from her eyes.

Sumire looked at Ren. Assuming the worst, she said “Oh. I see.” She bowed. “Well, thank you anyway.” She started to leave, but Ren grabbed her arm. Sumire looked over at her. Ren looked up, and Sumire could now see that these weren’t tears that said “I’m sorry”, but tears that said “thank you.”

Ren pulled Sumire in for a hug. Sumire blushed. “I...I love you too Sumire!” she declared. “I’ve-I’ve always loved you.” Ren buried her head in Sumire’s shoulder as she continued to cry. Sumire blushed harder. She hugged Ren back, as Ren continued to cry. Sumire gently patted and stroked Ren as her tears came out.

Eventually, Ren’s crying got less intense. She backed up from the hug. She noticed the stain she left on Sumire’s shoulder. “Sorry…”

Sumire giggled. “It’s OK.”

Ren smiled. She sniffed. “So, um...do you...um...wanna...you know...go out with me…?”

Sumire giggled again. “Of course.” She pulled Ren’s arm and gave her a kiss on the cheek. Ren bushed really hard. Sumire giggled some more. “We should probably get going if we want to eat lunch.”

“Huh? Oh, right” Ren said. “Um, do you want to eat with us?”

Sumire seemed disappointed. “I actually need to go eat with Coach. We’re going over some practices once we’re finished eating.”

“Oh. Right” Ren said. She smiled. “Well I’ll see you this afternoon then.”

“Right,” Sumire said. “Seeya!” She nodded and left. Ren also started heading back. Sumire was ecstatic. She couldn’t believe it went well.

Meanwhile, Ren was still having trouble believing it. Not only did the girl of her dreams like her, she was the one to declare her feelings first. Ren chuckled. Of course, that was another thing that made her fall in love with Sumire in the first place.

When she got to her table, Ann said. “Oh hey. How are you?”

“You forgot your bag, so Ann brought it here,” Ryuji informed her.

“We couldn’t just leave Morgana,” Ann said.

“We could,” Ryuji snarked.

“How rude!” Morgana chastised. “I’m hungry too.”

Ren looked at the scene and laughed. They all looked at her. “Sorry. I’m just…”

“Did something happen?” Ann asked.

Ren sat down. “Um, well, yeah…”

“Well, spill it out,” Ryuji said.

“Oh. Right. Yeah” Ren stammered. She giggled again. She sighed. “Well, I got a message from Sumire. She wanted to meet me alone.”

“I see,” Morgana said. “Very well.”

“What happened?” Ann asked again.

Ren smiled. “She...she um...she…” Ren’s face turned pink. “She confessed to me.”

“Confessed what?” Ryuji asked. After another second of thinking, he got it. “Oh!”

“So, does that mean…?” Ann asked.

Ren nodded. “We’re officially a couple.”

“ALRIGHT!” Ryuji yelled. “CONGRATULATIONS!”

“Not so loud,” Ann said.

“Oh, right,” Ryuji said. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “I like it.” Ryuji chuckled.

“Well, in that case…” Ann pulled Ren in for a hug. “Way to go!”

Ren attempted to hug Ann back. “Thanks.”

Morgana nodded. “I knew you’d get there!”

“Was that a cat?” another student said. Morgana hid. Ren chuckled. She fed him some of her food, while she ate the rest. It took her a bit, but Ren was over the moon.

Meanwhile, Hiraguchi noticed Sumire was more excited in their meeting. She smiled. “Did something happen?”

“Huh?” Sumire said, looking up. Sumire smiled. “Of course you can tell. Yeah. I took another step at being my true self.”

“Hm. Well, it looks like it paid off” Hiraguchi said. “Did it have something to do with Amamiya-chan?”

“I, uh, what?” Sumire said, face as red as can be. “You...you knew?” Hiraguchi nodded. Sumire looked down, and then back up. “Yeah. We’re, um, we’re going out now. Thank you for accepting me.”

Hiraguchi walked over and gave her a hug. “You’re an amazing person.”

Sumire was stunned for a second, but then hugged her coach back. “Thank you. So are you.”

After school, it was time for the gymnastics meet. Everyone going from Shujin met up in front of the school. This included Ren, Morgana (hiding in Ren’s bag), Ann, Ryuji, Makoto, Kisa, Shiho, and Mishima, whom Shiho had dragged along. Once they were all gathered, they headed off.

As they were making their way to the stadium it was being held at, they stopped at another station to pick up the remaining people going. Yusuke and Jose met up with them, as well as Hifumi, to their surprise. “Wait, aren’t you that famous shogi player? Hifumi Togo?” Makoto asked.

“Really?!” Ryuji asked. “Like from the magazines?” Hifumi shuffled nervously a bit.

“Ryuji...” Ann scowled.

“There were these photographers surrounding her, and she looked uncomfortable,” Jose explained. “So, we took her away.”

“We explained we had plans, but she said she wished to join us,” Yusuke continued.

Hifumi bowed. “Thank you for having me.”

“It’s no problem at all,” Ren said, smile on her face. “What are friends for?”

“Yeah, the more the merrier,” Mishima added.

Shiho rolled her eyes. “Thank you for joining us.”

“Yeah, this is gonna be great!” Ann exclaimed.

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “It will be like poetry in motion.”

“Well, shall we?” Makoto asked. They all nodded, and they continued to the venue.

They got to their seats just before the gymnastics meet began. Sumire wasn’t the first to perform, but they enjoyed the other performers nevertheless.

Finally, it was Sumire’s time. She approached the mat. She bowed. She got in her starting stance. Once the music began, she performed her routine.

She was pouring her heart out in her performance. She had practiced it several times before, but today she was on fire. Not only was she doing this for a competition, not only was her sister not here but watching from above, she also had a new girlfriend, and she couldn’t be happier.

As she landed her last move, she was breathing heavily. The audience started applauding her. She got out of her finishing pose to take it in. Of course, the loudest cheers came from Sumire’s friends. She found them almost instantly.

She then saw Ren in the crowd. She flashed her a smile and waved. Ren noticed this and was surprised. This smile, this perfect smile, was just for her, and she knew it. She almost couldn’t handle it, and blushed really hard.

After the competition, the group headed out to the lobby. Hifumi bowed. “I’m sorry I can’t stay. My parents are expecting me home tonight.”

“It’s alright” Ren. “We’re glad you made it.”

Hifumi smiled. “It was a lot of fun. I wouldn’t mind if you invited me to the next one as well.”

“Will do,” Ren said. Hifumi walked off. They all waved goodbye to her.

Ann patted Ren on the back. “So, what’d you think?”

Ren started blushing again. “I thought it was magnificent.”

“I know, right?” Ryuji said. “She was killing it out there!”

“Heh. It was really exciting” Kisa said.

“I know, right?” Shiho said. “This just makes me even more excited to bring back the volleyball team.”

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Mishima groaned.

“You don’t have to join back up, Mishima-kun,” Shiho said, a bit bitter.

Mishima was stunned. “Ummmmm, give me some time to think.” Shiho chuckled.

“Well, I do agree, it was a stirring performance,” Makoto said.

“Truly” Yusuke said. “I feel like I have some new inspiration.”

“I’ll say!” Jose joined in. “It was excellent!”

Ren received a sudden side-hug from Sumire. They looked at each other. “Did you enjoy it?”

Ren looked at Sumire’s face. She turned to be forward facing with Sumire, while still locked in her arms. “It was beautiful.” She brought her head in and gave Sumire a kiss on the lips. Sumire was taken by surprise, but soon found herself enjoying it. Once they stopped, Ren said “Sorry. I just couldn’t help myself.”

“He he,” giggled Sumire. “It’s OK. We’re going out now.” This time, Sumire took initiative and kissed Ren.

Meanwhile, everyone else were looking on. “Um, when did this happen?” Makoto asked.

“Earlier today” Ann informed her.

“Oh. I see” Makoto said. She smiled. “Way to go you two.”

Ren and Sumire looked at them, and got a little embarrassed. “What a truly spectacular day” Yusuke said. “Congratulations you two.”

Jose smiled. “Way to go!”

“You make a lovely couple,” Shiho said.

“Yeah,” Mishima added.

Ren and Sumire were a tad overwhelmed by the encouragement of their friends. They started to slide their hands away, but their hands ended up meeting and grasping each other. They looked at each other. Sumire chuckled. Ren chuckled soon after. They put their foreheads together, looked each other in the eyes, and smiled.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 5

A few seconds passed, and Sumire got a message on her phone. She and Ren let go and she checked it. “Sorry, that’s my mom. She and my dad are outside with the car.” Ren nodded. Sumire bowed. “Thank you for coming, everyone. I’ll see you all later!”

“Bye!” Ren said. Sumire rushed out.

“We should probably head home for the night as well,” Makoto said. Everyone agreed, and they headed home.

After Sumire got in the car, her father started driving. “That was quite a performance today, sweetheart,” he said.

“Thanks,” Sumire said.

“You seem to be in a good mood,” Akane said. “Did something happen?”

Sumire nodded. “I have a girlfriend now.”

“Well, congratulations!” Akane said.

“Let me guess, is it Amamiya-chan?” Shinichi inquired.

Sumire gigled. “Yeah.”

“I knew it,” Shinichi said. “You talk about her so much.”

“I...don’t talk about her that much...do I?” Sumire asked, embarrassed.

“Well, I’m just glad she returned your feelings,” Akanes said.

Sumire smiled. “Me too.”

Meanwhile, Ren entered LeBlanc. “How was it?” Sojiro asked.

Ren smiled. “Better than I ever expected.”

“Hm. Well, I’m glad it went well” Sojiro said. He set down a plate and cup. Ren got up on the stool. She smiled and started eating. Part of her still couldn’t believe this was happening. Nevertheless, she was excited, and awed. She had a girlfriend, and she loved it.

Notes:

I just decided to go for it. I was really excited, full, and a bit under the weather, and so I just went for it. And boy do I love how it turned out. I was sort of worried that I wouldn't have enough for this to be stand alone, but boy was I wrong, and I'm glad.

Anyway, it might be a bit before the next chapter, but I think this is a good chapter to tide things over. The next one or two chapters is going to be about the Kaneshiro heist, depending if I split it up between planning and execution or not. So that's going to be big as well.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 73: Big Moments, Big Risks, Big Ice Cream

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day during class, the Phantom Thief group chat went off.

Ryuji: So, today’s the day!

Makoto: Right.

Makoto: Um, how are we going to get it to him?

Yusuke: That’s...actually a good question.

Jose: Yeah, I’m not sure we can deliver it today.

Ryuji: For real?

Ann: It can’t be helped.

Sumire: I remember the same thing happened with Madarame.

Ren: Kamoshida too.

Ryuji: Well then, let’s meet up and hammer this out.

Ann: Yeah!

Ann: But I don’t think we’d be able to do it at the usual place.

Makoto: Well then, why not go to the ice cream shop I mentioned earlier?

Ann: That’s a great idea!

Ryuji: You’re just saying that because you get more sweets.

Sumire: Aw, leave her be.

Sumire: The one dessert a week you get has to be sweet! So she should make it count.

Ann: Once a week?

Ryuji: Yeah, um, she gobbles down sweets like she’s Kirby.

Ann: What was that?!

Jose: I think he’s calling you cute.

Ann: WHAT?!

Jose: Kirby is cute. Is he not?

Jose: So being like him is cute, right?

Ann: ...Oh.

Ryuji: Yeah...

Yusuke: You don’t sound confident there.

Makoto: Can we please just settle this?

Makoto: Look, here’s the address. Just meet up after school.

Sumire: OK, Makoto-senpai!

Ren: Very well.

Ryuji: Seeya then!

Ann: Later!

Yusuke: I shall see you there.

Jose: As will I.

They put their phones away.

When school ended for the day, Ren and Ann were set to leave, when Ann got a phone call. “Oh, that’s my agent. I’ve gotta take this. Just go on ahead. I’ll meet you all there.” Ren nodded and left, while Ann answered her phone.

Out front, Ren only found Sumire waiting for her. “Oh, hey Ren-senpai!”

Ren smiled and blushed a little. She walked over to her. “Um, since we’re, you know, going out now, could you just call me ‘Ren’?”

“Oh, sure thing, Ren-senpai!” Sumire answered. She realized what she did, and Ren giggled slightly. “I guess it’s a harder habit to break than I thought. But I’ll get there...Eventually.”

They looked around. “I don’t see anyone else,” Ren said. “I wonder what’s happening.”

“Should we wait for them?” Sumire asked.

Ren thought about it. She shrugged. “I think we should head out. We don’t want to keep Yusuke and Jose waiting.” Sumire nodded.

“If it’s going to be just the two of you, I’m going to take a nap” Morgana explained from Ren’s bag.

“Oh, sorry Morgana-senpai,” Sumire said. “We’ll chat with you as well.”

“It’s fine,” Morgana said. “You two deserve some time to yourselves.” He was about to fall asleep when he popped out once more. “Oh yeah. Way to go you two. I would have said something yesterday, but there was company.”

Sumire smiled. “Thank you, Morgana-senpai.” Morgana smiled. He slid back into the bag and promptly fell asleep. Sumire turned to Ren. “Shall we?” Ren nodded, and the two of them started walking.

On their way over, Sumire asked “So, with us going out, I was wondering: Are you also bisexual?”

Ren looked at her and shook her head. “I’m 100% lesbian.”

“Oh. I see” Sumire said. She giggled.

“What’s so funny?” Ren asked.

“It’s just, that’s a very ‘you’ answer” Sumire explained.

Ren was confused. “You could tell I’m a lesbian?”

Sumire giggled again. “That’s not what I meant. What I meant was you answered in a style that’s so you, you know?”

Ren thought for a moment, and giggled. “Yeah.” They kept walking. Once they got there, they saw no sign of Yusuke or Jose. “Huh.”

“What’s going on?” Sumire asked. Just then, their phones went off.

Ryuji: Sorry! One of my teachers is giving me the third degree. I couldn’t get out of it.

Makoto: I had some student council stuff to take care of, so I’m running behind as well.

Ann: I had to talk with my agent, so I’m still at school as well.

Yusuke: Kosei has some different midterm rules, so pretty much everyone had to stay behind a little.

Jose: Yeah, it’s a little rough, but we’re on our way.

Makoto: Hang on, are we all delayed?

Ren: Sumire, Morgana and I are already here.

Sumire: We didn’t know about Kosei’s policies, so we didn’t want to keep Yusuke and Jose waiting.

Yusuke: You are forgiven.

Yusuke: Not a lot of people are aware of it.

Jose: I know I wasn’t before I came here.

Makoto: Well, it looks like we’re all free now.

Makoto: We’ll be on our way.

Ren: Sounds like a plan.

Sumire: See you soon!

A little while later, the other Phantom Thieves walked into the ice cream shop to see Ren and Sumire sitting next to two empty bowls. “Aw, you guys ate already?” Ann said.

They turned to face the group. “Sorry” Ren apologized.

“Whatever, it’s fine by me,” Ryuji said. “Ooo, hey, show me your tongues. I wanna see what color they are!”

“What are you, five?” Makoto asked.

“Ice cream does that?” Jose asked.

“It’s cool,” Ren said. She nodded at Sumire. They stuck out their tongues, and they were purple.

“My, how fascinating” Yusuke applauded.

“Wait a minute,” Makoto said. “I’ve been coming here for years, and I don’t know of ANY purple ice cream served here.”

“And you say I’m five,” Ryuji said. Makoto shot him a glare and he cowered.

Makoto turned back to Ren and Sumire. “What did you order?”

Ren began “Well, I had blueberry ice cream…”

“And I had strawberry!” Sumire finished.

It took a bit, but soon Makoto figured out what happened and giggled. “We can’t leave you two alone for five minutes, can we?”

“We’d like it if you did,” Sumire said. Ren laughed.

Morgana yawned. He popped out slightly. “Oh good, we’re all here.”

Ren wound down her laughter. “Yeah, now we can get to planning,” she said. Everyone else started sitting down.

“Hold up,” Ryuji said. “I’m still confused. How did your tongues end up purple?”

“Really?” Ann asked.

“I kind of figured that they mix their ice creams somehow,” Jose said, “but I’m not sure how.”

“...Jose…” Ann said, forgetting he’s something of a child.

Ryuji sat down. “Well, it’d be easier if it melted, but I don’t think it took us that long to get here.”

“I believe ice cream melts in your mouth,” Yusuke noted. “Perhaps they sped it up that way.”

“You too Yusuke?” Ann said, perplexed.

“Yeah, but how do you get it from one mouth to another?” Ryuji asked. He then understood. “Ooooooooooooooooooo.”

“What?” Jose asked.

“They, um, kissed,” Ryuji explained. Ren and Sumire snickered.

“Oh,” Jose said. “Cool.”

Makoto sighed. “Now with that out of the way, can we please make a plan?”

“I agree,” Morgana said.

“Same” Ren said. Everyone else placed their ice cream orders and then they got down to business.

“Now then, is there anything we need to specify or avoid?” Makoto asked.

They all thought about it. “Well, I don’t think we need to worry about Kaneshiro recognizing the way one of us writes, so that’s a start” Yusuke pointed out.

“Although…” Sumire said. “We might need to worry about Naoko recognizing it, since he needs to see it too.”

“He does?” Makoto asked.

“Well, it’s kind of complicated,” Ren explained. “If we do, Naoko will be alerted, and he will try to make a play for Kaneshiro. But at the same time, I think we need to confront him as well. Otherwise, we won’t be able to help him reject Eris’s control.”

“Yeah, it’s not ideal,” Morgana continued, “but I think it works out the best.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“So, are we asking Ryuji to draft again?” Jose asked.

“Ryuji?” Makoto wondered.

“Yes,” Yusuke said. “His skill with words is...unique. It makes it easy to hide a writing style behind.”

“You make it sound like I write like a crazy person,” Ryuji said.

Yusuke thought. “Not crazy. Just…different.”

Ryuji still looked uneasy. “Fine, I’ll do it.”

“Do you have any idea what we should say?” Makoto asked.

“Yeah, I know,” Ryuji said. He took out some paper and began writing.

“He should be fine,” Ann said. “Ryuji might have some flaws, but he’s really good at letting you know how he feels.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “Honestly, I’m a little jealous.”

“You’ll get there,” Ann said.

“Yeah! We believe in you!” Morgana added.

Makoto smiled. “Right.”

“So, how should we get it to Kaneshiro?” Yusuke asked.

“I doubt we could hand it to him personally,” Jose said.

“He might not take it seriously if we did,” Sumire said.

Ren got an idea. “That’s it!”

“It is?” Sumire asked, confused.

“He’s obsessed with money!” Ren continued. “If we just give him one, it’ll mean nothing. But if we give him a lot…”

“Oh, I get it!” Sumire said. “If there’s a lot, he can’t ignore it!”

“But how do we get Naoko to see it?” Ann asked.

“Yeah, if there’s a bunch just at Kaneshiro’s front door, that would make things harder,” Morgana  pointed out.

“Well, what if they aren’t?” Jose asked. They all looked at him. “I mean, it’d be easier for Naoko to see it then, right?”

“No, I think that makes perfect sense,” Makoto said. They all looked at her. “Well, I mean, his palace covers all of Shibuya, right? If they’re all over, others will see it, and shake the idea that Kaneshiro is untouchable there.”

“I agree!” Ren said. “There should only be one Untouchable in Shibuya!”

“What?” Makoto reacted.

“It’s the name of the store where we get our fake weapons,” Ryuji explained. Makoto was intrigued. “And DONE!” He held up his draft. He passed it to Makoto, who began reading it. “Well, what'd ya  think?”

Makoto kept reading it. “I see what you mean Yusuke.”

“Really?” Ryuji said, dejected.

“Well, it’s nothing I can’t fix up,” Makoto said.

“Oh right!” Ann said. “How are we getting copies made?”

“I can take care of that,” Makoto said. “I’ll just head back to the school and use the copier. I’m allowed in on student council business.”

“Are you sure you want to do that, Makoto-senpai?” Sumire asked. “That sounds quite risky.”

“Believe me” Makoto said “I know. But I need to take those risks. Otherwise, I get stuck in a me I don’t want to be.”

Sumire was awed. Sumire smiled, nodded, and said “Very cool, Makoto-senpai.”

Makoto blushed. “Thanks.” She finished the rewrite. “Done! Now all we need is to make copies and distribute them.”

“Should we all help?” Yusuke asked.

“Hmmm, I think it’d be better if there were fewer people along for this” Makoto answered.

“How do you figure?” Morgana asked.

“If we get caught, and all of us are there, then that’s it,” Makoto explained.

“Gotcha,” Morgana said.

“Plus, with less of us, I think it’s less likely we’ll get caught in the first place,” Ryuji added.

“That’s a very astute observation Ryuji,” Makoto said. “Thanks for volunteering.”

“Pardon?” Ryuji said.

“I agree” Yusuke said “You’re the logical choice.”

“How am I the logical choice?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, you helped me run away when we were caught by the police in Shinjuku,” Ren explained.

“He’s also the one that got you caught,” Morgana noted.

“I just think you’re the most capable of helping me carry all those cards,” Makoto explained.

Ryuji grumbled. “Well, alright then. Let’s kick ass!”

Ren nodded. “Well, with all that settled, all that’s left is taking the treasure.”

“We still gotta put these up,” Ryuji noted.

“Right” Ren responded. “But I’m sure you two will do a good job.”

Ryuji smirked. “Well, with that confidence, we can’t lose!”

“Hm. I agree” Makoto said. “Now let’s roll!”

“Alright everyone, be ready” Morgana reminded them.

“Tomorrow, we’re going after the treasure!” Ren finished. They all nodded. Once everyone’s ice cream was finished, they all headed out.

One their way to the school, Ren messaged Makoto.

Ren: Hey, just a heads up.

Ren: Ryuji might try to ask you out.

Ren: But he might not really mean it.

Makoto: Oh?

Ren: I’ve been told that he does this a lot, but usually expects failure.

Ren: So, don’t go hard on him if he does.

Makoto: I see.

Makoto: Thanks for the heads up.

They put their phones away.

Once they got back to the school, they made their way to the copier. “You make the copies, I’ll be on the lookout” Makoto instructed. “Put them in those folders when you’re done.”

“Yes ma'am,” Ryuji said. Ryuji began making copies of the calling card while Makoto kept watch over the hall. Pretty much everyone went home by now, but Makoto wasn’t one for chance. “How many of these are we doing?” Ryuji asked.

“As many as we can,” Makoto whispered back to him. “I’ll replace them when I get in tomorrow morning.”

“You’re the boss!” Ryuji said He kept making more and more. Once there was a large enough pile, Ryuji shouted “Finished!”

“Good,” Makoto said. “Now we gotta sneak them out of school. Follow my lead.” Makoto wandered ahead, and then signaled to Ryuji to meet up with her. It was incredibly nerve-racking, but they managed to get out of the school without being seen. Once outside the gates, Makoto said “I’d say the hardest part is over.”

“You say that,” Ryuji said, “but we still got all these calling cards on us.”

Makoto chuckled. “Well then, let’s drop them off.” They got on the train to Shibuya and started putting them up left, right, and center. The tricky part here was they needed to be in prominent spots, but they couldn’t be seen putting them up. Luckily, with Makoto’s strategic mind, Ryuji’s street smarts, and their combined athletic abilities, they managed to do just that.

While on their way to another drop station, Makoto was getting a bit concerned. “Hey, um, how close are we?”

“Huh?” Ryuji asked back.

“Well...it’s just...Ren told me something…” Makoto slightly explained. “But...uh…”

Ryuji smiled. “It’s OK. We’re a team. What’s on your mind?”

Makoto sighed. “Ren told me you might try and ask me out.”

“Oh. That,” Ryuji reacted. “Hm. I guess that makes sense. I tried asking her out earlier.”

Makoto was confused. “Did you know she was a lesbian?”

“Not when I asked her out,” Ryuji answered.

Makoto sighed, slightly relieved. “So, why did you ask her out.?”

Ryuji’s face contorted in confusion. “Well, it’s um, complicated?”

“How so?” Makoto said.

“Well, I don’t have the most pleasant upbringing, or social standing, or what have you,” Ryuji explained.  “I just thought that, maybe, having someone like that would bring some sense of normal to my life.”

“Oh!” Makoto said. 

Ryuji grinned. “But after being with the Phantom Thieves, after finding friends as different and unique as you all, after seeing Sumire and Ren get together, I’ve started thinking ‘I don’t want normal’. So, I figured I should just focus on what I want.”

“Hm” Makoto smiled. “That’s very mature of you, Ryuji.”

“Oh, uh, thanks?” Ryuji said, unfamiliar with his name being associated with the word “mature.”

Makoto giggled. “Come on. Let’s finish up.”

Ryuji nodded. “Yeah.” They continued plastering the calling cards all over Shibuya. Once they ran out, they headed home for the night.

Notes:

I really should stop being surprised at the length I write my chapters, but I never do. How I got six pages of the day before the Kaneshiro heist is beyond me.

Also, I know that tongue joke is done quite a bit, but I love it, and I think I deserve one bit like that at least.

Anyways, the next chapter is the confrontation, but I think I'm going to take a break before I get to it. Like I said, this chapter is six pages long on Google Docs. I can only imagine the confrontation chapter going longer. Plus, this one was more fluffy in nature, while the confrontations usually have a more serious tone to them. Not to mention, I've been cranking out chapters a lot recently.

I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 74: Crisis Mode

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Kaneshiro was skulking in his hideout. “What’s the matter?” asked his escort. Kaneshiro didn’t answer. “Are you still worried about that threat you got? You know that’s just some dumb letter trying to get a rise outta you.”

“Shut it!” Kaneshiro snapped. The woman flinched. “I didn’t get to where I am by taking chances.” He adjusted himself. “Still, I doubt he could actually pull it off. And even if he did, I’d just kill him on the spot. All I gotta do is bide my time.” He looked over at his escort. “Tell you what: Once this is over, we’ll go anywhere you want.”

The woman was back to her smiling bubbly self. “Really?”

“Of course,” Kaneshiro said. “Anything for you.”

Just then, one of Kaneshiro’s men walked in. “Um, sir.”

“What?!” Kaneshiro yelled.

“Um, well…” the underling said, nervously. He took out a card. “We found this.”

“Gimme that!” Kaneshiro said, angrily. “‘Greetings Tokyo. It has come to our attention that you have been plagued with a heinous criminal. We are of course referring to none other than Junya Kaneshiro, the ever-hungry sinner of gluttony. His pursuit of wealth, power, and control knows no bounds. He has committed various crimes, most recently of which is exploiting children to do his bidding. His villainy is well known. So much so that someone claiming to be a hero wishes to exact their justice on him. However, their justice involves murder. Before that can happen, we will exact our own justice by stealing his twisted desires and make him confess their many sins. From, The Phantom Thieves of Heart.’”

Kaneshiro crumpled the card. “Do these freaks see me as some sort of punching bag?! Whatever, it’s not like they can actually do it.”

“Uh, sir…” the underling said.

“WHAT?!” Kaneshiro barked.

“Um...these have been found all over town” they continued. “People are talking.”

Kaneshiro was shocked. “Grrrrrrrrrrr! Mobilize everyone! Nobody’s getting past here, and nobody’s stealing my treasure!”

“Yes sir!” the underling bowed. They ran off to make the arrangements.

The world flashed. “So,” Kaneshiro’s shadow began, “you’re THAT confident that you can steal my treasure?! Pathetic! I’ll wipe the floor with all of you!”

It flashed back to reality. Kaneshiro grinned, believing he was in no position to lose.

Meanwhile, Naoko had found a copy of the calling card and was reading it himself. With each passing line, he grew more and more frustrated.

The world flashed. Naoko was wearing his Dark Raider costume. “You think your justice is superior? It’s childish is what it is! Let me show you how a professional does it!”

It flashed back to reality and Naoko was furiously moving about the city.

After school, the Phantom Thieves met up at their hideout. “Do you think Kaneshiro saw the calling card?” Makoto asked.

“We posted them all over Shibuya,” Ryuji reminded her. “I doubt he could just ignore it.”

“Well, there’s only one way to find out!” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “We gotta head in. Is everyone ready?” They all nodded “Good. Then let’s get that treasure!” They slipped into Kaneshiro’s Palace.

Outside, they saw Naoko fighting the two strong guards they saw at the front. “Well, it seems like Naoko saw it,” Ann pointed out.

“We should hurry!” Yusuke suggested. “I feel it’s only a matter of time before Naoko finds his way in.”

“I agree,” Makoto said, solemnly. The thieves made their way to the same vantage point and swung into the area in front of the bank.

Just as they landed, they saw one of the guards being jettisoned toward the building. Once they connected, the guard’s mass broke the door open. They looked on to see Naoko was close to finishing off the other one. “HOLY SHIT!” Ryuji yelled.

“Come on Skull!” Jose said. “We gotta move!” They all nodded and headed into the bank from the new opening.

Once inside, Ren glanced over to the shortcut they made. “This way! Quickly!” The group ran towards the door. The shadows inside tried to stop them, but they were distracted by the other giant shadow guard being thrown into the bank. The thieves picked up pace. Just as the last of them rounded the corner, Naoko entered the bank.

“No time to lose!” Makoto said. The thieves kept running like the wind. However, Naoko was moving fast as well. The fact that the thieves knew the building while Naoko didn’t didn’t seem to be that much of a detriment to him.

Eventually, the thieves made it to the elevator that led to the vaults. Once the doors were closed, and the elevator was starting to head down, Sumire said “I think we lost him.” Just then, they felt an impact on the roof of the elevator. “...Sorry.”

“Well, at least he’s gotta wait too,” Ryuji pointed out. Suddenly, some glass shattered and Naoko jumped off the elevator to get to Kaneshiro quicker. “Or not...”

“WHY DO PEOPLE SAY THESE THINGS?!” Ann panicked.

“Move,” Ren said sternly. Everyone made way for her. Ren kicked the elevator control panel with all her might. It opened it up, but it also caused the elevator to fall faster. While everyone else was worried, Ren scrambled right away and disconnected as many wires as she could before the door opened. Ren looked at her team and nodded. Together, they all jumped out.

They managed to all land safely. The same could not be said for the elevator. “Sorry” Ren said.

“No time to be sorry!” Morgana pointed out. “Look!” They noticed Naoko landing on top of the vaults. He began jumping from vault to vault.

“Let’s go!” Sumire chanted. The thieves got a move on on the ground.

“I’ll slow him down!” Morgan said. He climbed one of the vaults. Once up there, he began charging Naoko. “NYA YEAH YEAH!” he chanted. Naoko looked behind him. Morgana then jumped and turned into the car to try and run him over. However, Naoko caught car Morgana. “Wha?” Naoko threw Morgana back.

In mid-air, Morgana reverted back from the car to his normal self. Ren managed to catch him. “Thanks!” Morgana said. Ren let go of Morgana. “Sorry.”

After that momentary distraction, Naoko was moving faster to get to Kaneshiro. Makoto became more determined. “Johanna!” She hopped on her persona and raced through the vault. While Naoko got downstairs first, Makoto wasn’t far behind.

Meanwhile, Kaneshiro was waiting with two guards. “Heh. Those thieves won’t know what’s coming.” When Naoko arrived, Kaneshiro was shocked. “Who are you?!” Naoko took out a hi-tech boomerang. He threw it. It destroyed one shadow on the initial go, and the other on the way back.

Kaneshiro was cowering. Naoko walked up to him. He picked up Kaneshiro. “Time’s up” he growled.

Makoto got there just at that moment. She was in shock and horror. She had to focus. She revved up Johanna. “YAH!” She charged at Naoko. He turned to look just as Makoto was about to ram him. Naoko went flying into the vault behind him.

Kaneshiro was freaked out. He tried running away, but just as he got to the stairs, the rest of the Phantom Thieves were there. Kaneshiro looked at them all, worried. Ren cracked her knuckles. “Let’s do this!” The team proceeded to all out attack Kaneshiro, incapacitating him.

Once finished, the thieves looked up. “Where's the treasure? Ryuji asked.

“I think it might be in that vault,” Jose pointed out.

“What?!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“We did tell him we were coming,” Sumire said.

“Well, we just have to open it, right?” Ann said.

Makoto joined the team. “Easier said than done.”

Naoko got up. The thieves readied themselves. Naoko looked at them. “Heh. I’m impressed you got this far. But enough is enough! It’s time for that man to pay his debt to society!”

“We agree!” Ryuji called out.

“That’s why we’re doing this!” Ann added.

“He'll pay for his crimes!” Sumire joined in.

“We just aren’t stooping to his level!” Yusuke explained.

“We have our own justice!” Jose shouted.

“And we won’t let you fall either!” Morgana said.

“So just give up!” Ren offered.

Naoko looked at their group again. “Hm. You’re blocking what I want, and I’m blocking what you want. I guess there’s no way around it. We gotta fight. But just so you know, in comics, the heroes always win!”

“You don’t look like much of a hero right now!” Makoto countered. “Naoko! We will remind you what a true hero is!” Naoko prepared himself for a battle.

After exchanging some blows, the area around them started gaining white borders, much like a comic book. “Huh?”

“This means that Naoko is gaining more control,” Ren explained.

“Nothing to be worried about,” Ryuji assured her. “So long as Kaneshiro’s alive, Naoko can’t get total control.”

“Soon, we’re about to hear some voices,” Ann said.

“Right, you told me about this,” Makoto remembered. “It’s just another thing seeing it.”

“Come on chief, I’m so close!” Naoko’s voice said.

“Enough! You have enough on your plate as is” an authoritative voice responded.

“But sir!” Naoko pleaded.

“No buts!” the other voice shot back. “You’ve been spending too much time on this. It’s time to move on.”

“One of our own was killed!” Naoko tried reasoning. “I almost have the evidence. I just need more time.”

“Is this?” Makoto wondered.

“Officer Hamasaki!” the chief’s voice shouted. “You are too close to this case! Your judgment is clouded! I’m removing you from this case.”

“I’d do this for anyone,” Naoko argued. “You know that.”

“But you’re doing this for Niijima,” the chief said. “Maybe you should learn from his example and back down while you can.”

“Is that how it’s going to be?” Naoko asked. There was a loud slam. “FINE! I QUIT!”

There was a horrid silence. “So,” the Naoko in front of them said, “you still wanna be heroes? That’s what the heroes of the world are really like. Nothing but self-centered cretins.”

“Naoko…” Makoto muttered.

“Uh, I hate to point this out,” Ryuji said, “but we ain’t the cops. And they aren’t heroes to us.”

“Agreed” Yusuke joined in. “They’re part of a broken system that we’re fighting against.”

Makoto was impressed. “They’re right. Our justice is steadfast! We will not back down!”

“I used to think that way,” Naoko replied. He prepared for more combat.

After some more fighting, the voices popped up again. “UGH!” Naoko’s voice rang out.

“Well well well…”

The thieves were surprised. “Is that…?” Ryuji began.

“Kaneshiro!” Makoto finished.

“What do we have here?” Kaneshiro’s voice continued.

“He’s trying to get evidence on you, boss,” said one of Kaneshiro’s thugs.

“Ooooo. How interesting” Kaneshiro replied. There was a silence. “I think I recognize you.”

“You should!” Naoko snapped back. “I’m the man that’s going to take you down!”

“Oh my. Big words for someone in your predicament” Kaneshiro. “Still I don’t think you have any evidence on me.” Another silence. “Looks like I’m right.”

“Grrrr” Naoko said.

“Say I remember now,” Kaneshiro said. “Hm hm hm hm hm. Tell you what, I’m in a good mood today, so I’ll give you a choice: You can either come work for me, or you can leave. But if my men catch you trying to dig up dirt on me again, I won’t be so forgiving.”

“What makes you think I’d work for a piece of shit like you?” Naoko screamed.

“Because, I have something you want,” Kaneshiro told him. “Your partner. He died in that hit and run, right? Join my ranks, and I’ll give you all the evidence you need to lock up the guys who did it.”

“WHAT?!” Makoto said, shaken.

“Why should I trust you?” past Naoko asked.

“Those guys are in my way,” Kaneshiro explained. “You scratch my back, I scratch yours. Do we have a deal?”

Another silence. “No,” Naoko finally said. There were footsteps leaving. Soon, it turned into running. “I’m sorry.” It faded out.

“That was before. Before I had this power. Can’t you see Makoto?” the Naoko in front of them said. “I’m doing this for your father.”

Makoto grew angry. “For my father? My father would never approve of this! You used to know that! I think you still do! Please!”

Naoko growled. “AHHHHHHHHHHHH!” He jumped up on top of the vault. He punched a small hole in it and began trying to tear it open.

“Um, what’s he doing?” Ryuji asked.

“It appears he’s trying to split the vault in two,” Jose answered.

“Why?” Ryuji asked.

“Maybe he’s going to hit us with the pieces?” Sumire wondered.

“Can he do that?” Ryuji inquired further.

“He managed to lift me as a car,” Morgana pointed out. “I feel like it’s a matter of time before he does that.”

“Well then” Ren said. “That gives us time to win the fight! All we gotta do is wail on him until he gives in!” The other thieves nodded. They got back into their fighting stances.

They continued to attack Naoko, but he was trying his best to tough it out. He knew if he could land a hit with the vault, it would be over.

The thieves kept attacking. Naoko managed to split the vault in two. He jumped back down and began lifting the vault pieces. Once he could lift them, he went to reposition himself to make a strike. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” he screamed.

“ALMOST THERE!” Ren countered. The thieves continued battling. Naoko was just about ready to strike. At the last moment, the decisive blow was made. Between the barrage of attacks from the Phantom Thieves, and the strain of the vault, Naoko couldn’t handle it.

Naoko’s suit ripped and his cowl came undone. He dropped the vault halves and then fell to his knees. “Heh heh” he chuckled. “Heh heh heh heh heh. I’m pathetic.”

“Naoko?” Makoto inquired. 

“You kids really know what you’re talking about, huh” Naoko continued. “Somewhere along the way, I lost faith. I thought I alone could shoulder the world’s problems. Heh heh. I realize now that I’m just some old fart, stuck in his ways. Meanwhile, you kids make a good team. You get it.”

Makoto walked over to Naoko. “You can still do good Naoko. I know it.”

Naoko smiled. “Well, if you think so…” Naoko looked forlorn. “I didn’t want to lose you. Or Kisa. Or anyone else. But I ended up losing myself.”

“It’s not too late,” Makoto reminded him.

“You’re right,” Naoko said. “Thanks Makoto. You’re turning out to be a fine young woman. Keep raising Hell! Make sure no one who serves injustice gets away.”

“Yes sir!” Makoto shouted back. Naoko’s shadow faded away; smile as wide as can be.

The other thieves walked over. “So, where’s the treasure?” Jose asked

“Over there!” Sumire pointed out. They looked. It was a large bar of gold.

Ren walked over and grabbed it. “Now, for the other one.” They looked over at Kaneshiro.

Kaneshiro woke up, surrounded by the Phantom Thieves. “Are you gonna confess?”

“Or do we have to do this the hard way?!” Ann asked, snapping her whip.

“I’ll talk! I’ll talk!” Kaneshiro shouted. “I heard about the darkness, but it’s a lot more nightmarish than I thought!”

“You too?!” Ryuji said, shocked.

“Oh, was this coincidental?” Kaneshiro asked. “Well then, as my first act of kindness, let me explain: You don't know how deep this rabbit hole goes. You might want to escape while you can.”

“We’ll be the judge of that!” Makoto shot back.

“Fine” Kaneshiro relented. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you.” Kaneshiro’s shadow disappeared as well.

The palace started shaking. “It’s coming down!” Sumire said.

“Let’s move!” Ren replied. The thieves all ran up the stairs and through the lock.

Once they got to the elevator, they were reminded that it was smashed. “Oh, right,” Ann said.

Ren looked up. “We have to try!” She shot her grappling hook up. It managed to hook on the above floor. Ren repealed her way up. The other thieves followed suit.

From there, it was straight shooting to the exit, but the palace was crumbling fast. “In here!” Morgana called out. He was a car again. Everyone jumped in, and Ren put the pedal to the metal and drove out of the palace.

Once they were out of the bank, they drove around a corner to escape the Palace’s reach. They continued driving through. Once they left, they fell over and collapsed on themselves. “Oof!”

Once the thieves had collected themselves, Yusuke wondered “What happened?”

Jose sat up. “I’m guessing we fell apart, since Morgana can’t be a car in the real world.”

“I see,” Yusuke said. He stood up. Jose did as well.

When Sumire finally figured out her positioning, she realized she was on top of Ren. Ren had the same realization soon after. Both of them started blushing. Ren smirked. “So, come here often?” Sumire giggled.

“Can you two at least wait until you’re alone?” Makoto said, standing up. Sumire rolled off Ren and got up as well. Ren stood up soon after.

Ann was sitting up. “Where’s Ryuji?”

“Down here,” Ryuji said. Ann looked down and saw that she was sitting on Ryuji.

“AHIE!” Ann yelped. She got up and smacked Ryuji. After Ryuji stood up, she said “Sorry.”

“Ugh” Ryuji said, accepting what had happened.

They all all looked down to see Morgana being crushed by a briefcase. “Well, looks like the treasure got out,” Jose noted.

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “But we must pay our respects to our fallen comrade. Fare well, sweet Morgana.”

“Ughhhhhhhhh” Morgana growned. He crawled out from under the briefcase. “I’m not dead yet.”

Ren smield. She picked up Morgana and started rubbing his cheek with hers. “And we're better for it.” After she was done, she placed him in her bag.

Ryuji looked at the treasure. “Hey, doesn’t this look like…?”

Makoto nodded. “It’s the briefcase we saw in that vision.”

Ren picked it up. “I’ll hold onto this for now. We’ll figure out what to do with it once things have cooled off.” The thieves nodded. They smiled, and went their separate ways for the evening.

Notes:

Thus, the bank of gluttony is now closed. Looking at the future, I'm not entirely sure how it will be paced. There's a lot to go, but at the same time there's a lot of room to do so. I guess I just gotta keep going and see what works.

If you're wondering why this one is called "Crisis Mode" as opposed to a more dire confrontation, it's because Naoko is basing his powers off of a superhero, and a lot of DC's crossover events involve the word "crisis".

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 75: Up All Night

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On her way to LeBlanc, Ren got a text from Sojiro.

Sojiro: Hey, I need to leave early.

Sojiro: Something came up.

Ren: That’s fine.

Ren: I hope things go alright.

Sojiro: I hope so too.

Ren: Good night.

Sojiro: Good night.

Ren put her phone back. “Well, at least I won’t have trouble hiding this briefcase. Although getting it out again might be a problem.”

“I could probably help with that,” Morgana moaned. “Once I’m feeling better.” Ren giggled. “Thanks Morgana.” She continued on her way back to LeBlanc. She entered, headed up stairs, and sat at her work desk.

Morgana went up to his perch. “Whatcha doin’?”

“I’m going to see if I can’t get this open,” Ren said. She took out one of her lockpicks and began tinkering. Soon enough, it opened. “There.”

Morgana was awestruck. “You’re getting really good at this. I’m impressed.”

Ren giggled. “Let’s see what’s inside.” She opened it more. “Huh. It looks like a ton of money.”

“Nya ha! We’re rich!” Morgana said.

“Not quite…” Ren said. She pulled out one of the bills to reveal that it’s not real. Rather, it had an image of Kaneshiro on it.

“WHAT?!” Morgana exclaimed.

Ren dumped the fake money out. “That’s a lot.”

“No kidding.”

“How should we get rid of it?”

“That...I don’t know…”

They both thought about it. “I think burning it might be the safest solution” Ren suggested.

“Yeah, but where?” Morgana asked.

Ren thought some more. “I’m not sure. Maybe we can ask everyone tomorrow.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Morgana agreed.

Ren turned to Morgana. “So, how are you feeling?”

“Me?” Morgana asked back.

“Well, it’s been a bit since I’ve really checked in on you” Ren admitted.

“Ha. Well, there’s no need to be worried” Morgana said with confidence. “I can take care of myself.”

“Hmmm” Ren pondered. “You know, I thought that too, until Sumire asked me to go out with her. But then everything just fell into place. That acknowledgement that there was someone for me made me realize that maybe I wasn’t as well put together as I thought.”

Morgana groaned. “Well it doesn’t help that you keep pushing the girl I like to another guy.”

Ren smiled and scratched Morgana’s ears. “Sorry. But it seems like she liked him already.”

Morgana groaned again. “I guess you’re right. I just wish I didn’t need to worry about that. Or the fact that I’m in this cat body. Why this body?”

“Well, it has its benefits,” Ren assured him. “We couldn’t have sent the calling card to Madarame without you.”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t make up for me not being human, but not a cat either…” Morgana complained. “I know I was sent to help you, but,” he sighed, “what about me? And what I want?”

Ren pouted with him. “I’m sure we can figure something out. Maybe we could ask Igor or Lavenza.”

“Hm,” Morgana grunted. “I mean Igor made me this way. I don’t know if he’d be willing to change it.”

“Well, you never know until you try,” Ren said. There was a bit of silence. “Sorry.”

“Huh?” Morgana wondered. “What for?”

“I may have set a bad precedent,” Ren explained. “You don’t need a romantic partner to be whole. The real truth is that I’ve started feeling this way ever since meeting Ann and making friends with her. I started to feel like I have a place to belong. And while there are still obstacles, I feel like I’m becoming a better person.

My point is, while Lady Ann might be out of reach, there’s more to life than just that. You are wonderful, and everyone loves you.”

Morgana gave a half smile. “I just wish I had the confidence to see that.”

Ren chuckled a bit. “That might be my fault too.” Morgana was puzzled. “Believe it or not, you’ve been giving me confidence ever since we first met.”

“Hm. Maybe in the metaverse…” Morgana downplayed.

Ren shook her head. “Remember what I told you earlier?” She stood up and picked Morgana up. “‘You’re better than some humans.’” She sat down on her bed, and laid down. “You don’t care that I got arrested, you always want to help, you keep me grounded, and heck, you were the first person outside of my sister to accept that I like girls. If I didn’t have you, I’d still be stuck in that closeted, headstrong, antisocial person I was when I first came to Tokyo.”

Morgana blushed. “You’re too kind.”

Ren smiled. “So are you.” Ren placed Morgana down on the bed.

“Hm hm” Morgana chuckled. “I have to admit, all that stuff about helping people makes me feel good. So maybe while I’m looking for something bigger, I can take pride in that.”

Ren smirked. “Sounds like I’m giving some of your confidence back.”

“If you want to believe that, then sure,” Morgana instructed, “but I like to think I’m generating it on my own.”

Ren laughed slightly. “Whatever floats your boat.”

Magician-Morgana: Rank 4

“Well, goodnight,” Morgana said. “I’m still feeling the recoil from that suitcase, so I gotta sleep it off.”

“Goodnight” Ren said. Morgana passed out instantly. Ren changed into her pajamas. Just as she was about to get under the covers, a thought occurred to her. I actually haven’t told Sasa about me and Sumire. She sat down on the bed and got out her phone.

Ren: I’m sorry, but I forgot to tell you something that happened recently.

Sasa: This better be important.

Sasa: I was about to head to bed.

Ren: Me too actually, but then I remembered that I haven’t told you this yet.

Ren: I have a girlfriend!

Sasa: What?!

Sasa: Really?!

Ren: Yeah!

Sasa: How’d you gather the courage to ask someone out?

Ren: She asked me.

Sasa: OK, now I know you’re lying.

Ren: What can I say? Truth is stranger than fiction.

Sasa: So, when did this happen?

Ren: Two days ago.

Sasa: And I’m only hearing about this now?

Ren: Well, I could hardly believe it myself.

Sasa: That checks out.

Sasa: In all seriousness, congrats little sis!

Sasa: I can’t wait to meet her.

Sasa: Mom and dad have been messaging me about coming to visit you sometime in the summer.

Ren: …

Sasa: I’m sure they’ll understand.

Ren: I hope so.

Sasa: It’ll be fine.

Sasa: I’ll be there for you, and I’m sure your girlfriend will as well.

Ren: Thanks.

Sasa: So, what's her name?

Ren: Sumire.

Sasa: That’s a cute name.

Ren: I’ll tell ya, that’s not the only thing cute about her.

Sasa: I have no doubts.

Ren smiled.

Ren: Thanks again.

Sasa: You’re welcome.

Ren: Goodnight.

Sasa: Goodnight.

They put their phones away and went to sleep.

Meanwhile, when Makoto got home, she ran into her sister. “Oh, sorry,” she said.

“No, it’s my fault,” Sae admitted. “Something big is going down, and I was hurrying to get a change of clothes.”

“Oh?” Makoto wondered.

“Some big criminal came down and said he was going to confess everything,” Sae explained.

“Oh my” Makoto said. “What brought this on?”

Sae sighed. “He said the Phantom Thieves changed his heart.”

Makoto was surprised. Kaneshiro!

“Now I gotta help process everything,” Sae said bitterly. “I can’t stand it. We’ve been trying to get something on him for years, and now the Phantom Thieves do it in a matter of weeks?!”

“Um, isn’t that good?” Makoto asked. “The result is the same.”

Sae groaned. “While the Phantom Thieves are good at getting criminals, they’re still criminals themselves! Don’t forget that! They may be the ones behind those mental shutdowns!”

Makoto was stunned. “Sorry…”

Sae sighed again. “No, you’re fine. I’m just under a lot of stress.” She nodded. “I’ll be going now. I’ll be gone all night”

“Very well…” Makoto said. “I hope things go well.”

Sae nodded and headed out. As she was heading to her office, she thought to herself If I can do this, if I can crack this Phantom Thieves case, then I can start work on making things better. They’ll finally take me seriously, and in turn, I will make serious changes. So you won’t have to face what I’ve faced Makoto. The world can be truly yours.

Meanwhile, after dinner, Makoto went to her room. She stared at her phone; at the metaverse app. “I’m sure I can figure this out. Let’s see...Courthouse?” 

“Match found” the phone replied. Sure enough, it was there.

“That’s the easy part…” Makoto lamented. “Hmmmm. Sis told me that she sees the court as a high risk, life or death situation. What kind of places like that exist?” She thought about it a little while longer. “Casino?”

“Match found” the phone replied. “Access granted.”

Makoto started looking around, worried she might be teleported there now. Once she realized she wasn’t, she sighed. “Right. I’m not at the courthouse.” She thought some more. “I don't know if this is a good or bad thing though.” She sighed. “Should I? I need to think about it some more. Besides, I’m still tired from stealing Kaneshiro’s treasure.” She sighed once more. “Don’t worry sis. I’ll save you.” She got up to get ready for bed. Once she was in bed, she said “Goodnight”and turned out the light. She cuddled up on one of her Buchimaru-kun plushes and fell asleep.

Notes:

Part of my thinking ahead is wondering what to do about a potential Strikers story. That's still way off though. Roughly a year and a half, and I'm only just wrapping up the Kaneshiro arc. But I'm mentioning it now because one of those ideas I'm having is about Morgana, but again, this is far off, and things might change. I keep thinking of things that could work for Strikers, but then I run into some other problems. This is mostly due to the fact that Strikers doesn't have as much time as the main game. I'm not going to do a Strikers that's essentially the same to the game, I want to change it up. While I have an outline, I find myself reworking it whenever I think about it.

But enough of me rambling about something that's coming out in the future. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy the chapter and story.

Chapter 76: People Like People

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, the Phantom Thieves chat got an urgent message from Makoto.

Makoto: According to my sister, Kaneshiro turned himself in last night.

Sumire: That fast?!

Ann: That seems odd.

Ren: Is there anything else you’ve picked up?

Makoto: Apparently he hasn’t been feeling well.

Makoto: But he rushed to be taken into custody.

Ryuji: Why’s that?

Makoto: Because he’s a high level gangster.

Makoto: He has a ton of information on how the gangs work.

Makoto: If he were out and about and willing to confess, he'd have a target the size of Tokyo on his back.

Ryuji: Oh.

Yusuke: That would be a problem.

Yusuke: We do all this work only for some other gangster to take him out.

Jose: Yeah, especially when a threat was made against his life.

Ann: Oh, that reminds me.

Ann: Have you checked on Naoko?

Makoto: Oh, right.

Makoto: I haven’t.

Makoto: But I can do it tonight.

Ann: OK.

Makoto: In the meantime, we need to prepare.

Makoto: We don’t know where or when Eris will strike next.

Ryuji: I’m down with that!

Makoto: Also, exams are coming up soon.

Makoto: Make sure you’re studying.

Ryuji: I’m…less down with that.

Makoto: Ryuji…

Ren: I know how to get him motivated.

Ryuji: ??

Ren: If you don’t pass at least one of your tests, I’ll share those photos with the school.

Ryuji: What photos?

Ryuji: !!

Ryuji: No! HELL NO! That’s blackmail!

Jose: But you look so cute in them.

Ren: Relax. I’m kidding.

Ryuji: GAH!

Ryuji: You’re never going to let that go, are you?

Ren: Nope!

Ren: It’s too fun.

Ren: Also, you do look good in those pictures.

Ryuji: Enough.

Ryuji: I’ll study if you promise not to bring those pictures up all summer.

Ren: Deal!

They put their phones away and went to school.

After school, Ren was stopped by Ryuji. “Sup?”

“Not much,” Ren replied.

“Cool. Hey, um, could you help me with something’?” Ryuji asked. “I wanna see how the track team is doin’, and um, well, I don’t know how much they still hate me.”

Ren smiled. “I get it. Let’s go.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.” They headed off to the training site. Ryuji was concerned the entire way. When they arrived, they were shocked to see one of the track members beating up another one. Ryuji rushed in and stopped the violence. “Woah! What’s going on Takeshi?!”

Takeshi pulled away from him. “Why do you care? You’re not on the track team anymore?”

“Uh, I CARE because you’re throwing fists at your friend!” Ryuji shouted back.

“Psh, Nakaoka had it coming,” Takeshi said. “He’s the one who told Kamoshida about everyone’s shit. Including your home situation.”

Ryuji was stunned. “Wha?”

Ren stepped in. “Even so, that doesn’t justify what you’re doing now!”

Takeshi looked at Ren. “I see you brought back up.”

“Well, I knew you might not listen to me…” Ryuji admitted.

“You’d think I’d listen to someone who’d call you a friend?” Takeshi shot back.

“CAN YOU STOP FOR FIVE MINUTES?!” Ryuji screamed. Everyone was terrified for a moment. Ryuji sighed. “Look. Yeah, I’m not on the team anymore. And you can hate me all you want. But just because you don’t care what happens to me at this point, doesn’t mean I don’t care about you guys! I want the track team to succeed as much as anyone else. So whatever your issue is, can you try to solve it in a better way?!”

Takeshi thought about Ryuji’s plea. “OK.”

“Whew” Ryuji sighed.

“As of now, Nakaoka is no longer part of the track team!” Takeshi decreed.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped.

“You got any more helpful advice?” Takeshi said.

“Grrrrrrrr” Ryuji growled. “Why are you acting like this?!”

“I’m sorry I’m willing to do whatever it takes to bring this team to glory” Takeshi answered.

Ryuji stomped his foot. “Listen asshole, you’re starting to sound like Kamosida!”

“Then why don’t you punch me?” Takeshi provoked.

“Cause I KNOW that’s not you bro!” Ryuji shot back. “You’re not Kamoshida! You’re my friend!” Takeshi stared at him. “But fine! Be like that! Become glory-blind! But don’t come crying to me when you have a shit-ton of gold medals that all feel hollow!” Takeshi stared at him some more, and then walked off without saying a word.

“Are…you sure that was a good idea?” Ren asked.

“I don’t know,” Ryuji replied. “It depends on how far gone he is. If the Takeshi I know is still in there somewhere, he just needs time to cool off.” They looked over at Nakaoka. “You alright?”

Nakaoka didn't answer. Instead, he asked “Why’d you help me?”

“Huh?” Ryuji reacted. “Cause it’s the right thing to do. Besides, even if you don't feel like it, you’re still my bro.”

Nakaoka was hesitant. “What if I told you that Takeshi was right? That I was the one who blabbed to Kamoshida about everything?”

Ryuji was stunned. He then got serious. “Well, so what?” Nakaoka was now surprised. “You think that without you, Kamoshida wouldn’t find out? Hell no. He hated me from the word go. If it wasn’t you telling him about my home-life, he’d find some other way to screw me over. That’s just who he is.

I mean, it wasn’t a cool thing to do, don’t get me wrong. But you don’t deserve to get shit on like that. These things need to be handled reasonably!”

“Like you handled Kamoshida?” Nakaoka responded.

Ryuji sighed. “Yeah, I know that wasn’t the best way to respond.” Nakaoka was surprised. Ryuji stood firm. “But I’ve changed! And like I said, Takeshi isn’t Kamoshida, and neither are you. You can figure something out without hurting each other.”

Nakaoka looked down. “I’m sorry.” He ran off.

“You…think he’ll be alright?” Ren asked.

“I dunno,” Ryuji answered. He thought about it. “Maybe Yamaguchi already has his claws deeper in than I thought.”

“So, now do you wanna try to steal his heart?” Ren asked.

Ryuji shook his head. “That won’t solve the issue. If we get rid of Yamaguchi, someone else like him will just come in, and the cycle will continue. These guys need to learn to stand on their own two feet.”

Ren smiled. “I’ve gotta say, that’s very mature of you Ryuji”

“Oh, uh, thanks,” Ryuji responded, embarrassed.

“So, what should we do now?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Ryuji thought. “I think we should get some dirt on Yamaguchi. If he’s pulling some shit, we need proof.”

“And then what?” Ren continued.

Ryuji sighed. “Then we show them. Whatever they do, it’s up to them.”

Ren noticed something about Ryuji’s tone. “Are you alright?”

“Huh? Well, yeah…I think,” Ryuji floundered. He grew a little frustrated. “I mean, these guys were my friends. They were friends with each other. And yet now it feels like we couldn’t be further from that. I just hope things work out in the end.”

“And if they don’t?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Ryuji pondered. “I don’t know about them…” He smiled. “But I’d still have you guys.” He huffed. “If this doesn’t work, then I don’t know what else I can do for them. Sometimes, you just gotta let things go.” Ren was shaken by Ryuji’s bittersweet sentiment. She walked over and gave Ryuji a hug. He smiled and reciprocated. “Thanks.”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 6

Once Ren let go, Ryuji said “I’ll look into Yamaguchi. I imagine you have other things to do.” Ren giggled. “In the meantime, we have some time to kill. Wanna head to the gym today?” Ren nodded, and the two went to exercise together for the remainder of the afternoon.

On her way home, Ren got a message from Akechi.

Akechi: Pardon me, but do you mind if I do a “check in”?

Ren: That’s fine.

Ren: But give me a bit of time.

Ren: I spent the afternoon working out.

Akechi: I see.

Akechi: Well, I shall meet you there.

Ren: Can’t wait!

Ren put her phone away and hurried to LeBlanc. Once she got there, she changed into some clean clothes, and freshened up. After she was done with that, she entered the cafe just in time for Akechi to walk in. “Hello.”

“Hello yourself,” Akechi replied. “I hope you don’t mind, but I brought some work with me.”

“That’s fine,” Ren said.

“We can still talk,” Akechi explained. “I doubt I’m going to make a big breakthrough on the case I’m looking at, and I have pretty much everything memorized for my upcoming exams.”

“It’s OK,” Ren nodded. Akechi nodded back. He sat down at the counter. “Do you want me to get you anything?”

“Not right now,” Akechi answered. Ren nodded. She prepared herself a coffee and some curry. Once they were done, she walked around to take a seat on his right. Akechi looked at her, curiously. “Huh.”

“What?”

“I’m just surprised you remembered,” Akechi said. He took out his notebook, and began skimming through his notes, while also writing new ones. “Say, this does remind me. Do you want to know something about left-handedness?” Ren nodded. “If you want to figure out if someone is a villain in a story, check to see if they’re left-handed. Chances are, that’s your villain.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

“If you’re wondering why, if you translate ‘left hand’ into Latin, you get the word ‘sinister’,” Akechi continued explaining. “Through various means, that word, ‘sinister’, evolved into the word we know today with its evil meaning. Another fact, the word ‘ambidextrous’, while taken to mean ‘capable with both hands’, actually means ‘two right hands’, as ‘dexter’ means ‘right hand’.”

“I see,” Ren said, impressed.

“Of course, there are plenty of exceptions,” Akechi stated. “Not every left-handed individual is a sinister person with ill-intentions. Heck, there are some protagonists who are left-handed.”

Ren smiled. “Of course. I mean, look at you. You go around solving crimes for people. I’d hardly call that ‘sinister’.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Akechi retorted. He kept working.

Ren grew a little more serious. “So, how do you do it?” Akechi glanced at her. “I mean, you solve crimes, you make TV appearances. You’re a well-known figure all across Japan. I match wits with you once on TV, and now I get recognized every so often, and I hate it. How do you do it?”

Akechi just stared at her for a while. “Hm. Well, that’s a bit hard to explain. While it’s true that the fame and the adoration is a lot to deal with, I put up with it because… This is going to sound a little corny.”

“Go ahead,” Ren instructed.

Akechi nodded. “Very well. I put up with it because I like helping people.”

“Hm” Ren chuckled.

“It started incidentally,” Akechi iterated. “But then I got hit with the domino effect. I solve one case, then someone wants me to solve another, and another, and pretty soon, I’m Japan’s Second Detective Prince.

But, as you mentioned, the fame that comes with it can be fairly brutal. But my way of getting around that also involves showing a certain kindness to people. When needed, I like to put on a show for people. After all, as Shakespeare said, ‘the whole world’s a stage, and we are merely players’.”

“If the whole world’s a stage, I’d prefer to be a stagehand,” Ren remarked.

“Well, you certainly have the wardrobe for it,” Akechi snidely remarked.

“Hey!” Ren reacted. “I’ll stop wearing black when they make a darker color.” The two of them shared a laugh over it.

“But seriously though, it's not for everyone,” Akechi told her. “And I don’t suppose that with your arrest, you’d want to be in the spotlight all too much.”

Ren shrugged. “I guess I’d prefer not to. However, I feel like recently, if I need to be, I could handle it.”

“But this hasn’t always been the case?” Akechi inquired.

Ren shook her head. “For a while, I was scared to be the center of attention. Back in my hometown, whenever I was the center of attention, that was never a good thing. But ever since coming here, indulging in new experiences, and making friends, I feel like I’m growing to be as confident as I like to pretend I am sometimes.”

“Hm,” Akechi chuckled. “I get that. My life hasn’t always been easy either. But I guess that’s what makes a city like Tokyo interesting. Where two similar people can come to different conclusions.”

“Hopefully not too different,” Ren remarked. “I don’t want to stop being friends with you because we disagree on something so much.”

“Ha ha, and the same extends to you,” Akechi laughed.

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 3

Akechi finished taking notes and headed out for the night. After he left, Ren went upstairs, changed into her pajamas, and went to bed.

 

Notes:

If you ever wondered why Akechi is left-handed, this is probably the reason why. But I'm actually incredibly glad with how this chapter turned out. I am very tired right now, but I feel like it will hold once I'm not tired. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 77: Makoto's Big Night

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After school Friday, Makoto headed over to Naoko’s apartment. She knocked. “Come in!” Naoko shouted. Makoto entered. She walked in to see Naoko sitting down in a chair. Naoko looked up. “Ah, Makoto. I had a feeling you might stop by. Ugh.”

“Are you feeling OK?” Makoto asked.

“Not really,” Naoko answered. “I’ve been feeling like shit since yesterday. Although I’ve stopped vomiting, which is good.”

They told me that would happen.

“But what about you? How are you doing in all of this?” Naoko asked.

Makoto smiled. “Well, you seem back to your chipper self, so that makes me feel good.” Naoko laughed. Makoto went on. “Sis has been busy non-stop since Kaneshiro turned himself in last night.”

“I can imagine,” Naoko said. “You know, I never told you this, but one time I was brought to him. He wanted me to join his ranks. And he offered me evidence on your father’s killing to do it.”

“Oh?” Makoto said, feigning ignorance.

“Of course, I didn’t join him,” Naoko continued.”But I can’t say I wasn’t tempted.” He sighed. “Well, at least he’s getting justice soon.” Makoto groaned. “I know.” Makoto was surprised. “That won’t bring him back. Nothing can. Sometimes, life is just like that.”

“Yeah…” Makoto admitted.

“Hm,” Naoko grunted. “Makoto?” Makoto perked up. “You used to tell your father that you wanted to be a police officer just like him when you grew up. I can’t say I would blame you if you say no, but do you still feel like that?”

“Huh?” Makoto said, confused. “I’m not sure. A lot happened after his death, and even now it feels like the dust hasn’t settled yet.”

“I see…” Naoko said. “Well, whatever you feel like doing, I’m sure you’ll do good.”

Makoto was stunned. She smiled. “Thanks. And I’m sure once you feel better, you’ll have good fortune as well.”

“Hm. I don’t have the best track record,” Naoko said. He smiled. “But I don’t say no to a challenge either. Plus, with you rooting for me, I feel like I can win this one.” Makoto giggled. Naoko’s face became more serious. “I’m on the verge of taking a nap. Hopefully, I’ll feel better after that. It was nice seeing you again, Makoto.”

“The same goes for you,” Makoto replied. “Seeya around.”

“Likewise,” Naoko said. Makoto walked out of the apartment and closed the door.

She headed quickly to the courthouse. She was on edge. She got out her phone. “Am I really about to do this?” She looked around and sighed. “I’ll leave at the first sign of trouble. But I have to know.” She found a place to hide and entered the palace.

She walked forward, looking around. She then saw what the courthouse had become and gasped in shock and horror. It was a casino, just as she had deduced. Still, thinking of it and seeing it were two different things.

She looked at herself. She wasn’t in her Phantom Thief outfit, which only made her more confused. She sighed, determined to figure out as much as she could. She noticed people walking in and out and figured to hide in plain sight and just walk in.

Once inside, she was further surprised. People were gambling to their heart’s content. She was stunned that her sister viewed her job in such a way. But not as stunned as she was about to be.

“Makoto,” Said a voice. Makoto jumped up slightly and turned to the voice calling out to her. To her surprise, it wasn’t her sister, but Eris. She walked over to her. “I’m surprised to see you here.”

Makoto retracted from her. “What are you doing here?”

Eris giggled. “Come, let’s go outside. We don’t want to disturbed the patrons as they lose now, do we?” Makoto looked around, grunted, and agreed, walking out with Eris.

Once outside and a good distance away, Makoto turned to Eris and asked “What do you want?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Eris retorted. “What are you doing here without your friends?”

Makoto averted her gaze. “Well… This is my sister’s palace!”

“Oh, wanna be a hero, huh?” Eris said.

“I just want to look around,” Makoto insisted.

“Heh heh heh heh heh,” Eris laughed. “I understand. You think you can get the upper hand on me? Well, I’ll let you in on a little secret: Even if your friends were here, you would be no match for the shadows inside.”

Makoto was scared, but had to remain focused. “What makes you say that?”

“Hm, fair enough,” Eris said. “Don’t listen to me. See what happens. It’s not like I care one way or the other.”

“So why tell me at all?” Makoto inquired.

“I wanted to see your reaction,” Eris said. “Plus I don’t want you to fail. Not until we meet in battle. But I won’t prevent you from failing either. However,” she pulled out an apple, “you can save your sister right now if we become friends.”

Makoto was shocked. “Why would I take a bite of that?! I know that whoever you put under your spell wants to kill the Palace Ruler! And I don’t want to kill my sister!”

“Of course, of course,” Eris said. “I’m not going to make you do that. You’ll just get powerful enough to change your sister’s heart on your own. And then we can become friends.”

Makoto looked at the apple in Eris’s hand. Sure she was tempted, but remained firm. She knocked the apple out of her hand. “I refuse to join you! You’re just as selfish and egotistical as the people you instruct others to kill!”

Eris shrugged. “Suit yourself. But for future reference, you let me handle how things go, OK?” She disappeared before Makoto could answer. Stunned about what just happened, Makoto decided to leave her sister’s palace for now.

She was walking, still shook by what had just taken place. Not only did she see what her sister’s Palace looked like, she was also confronted by Eris. She was so lost in her thoughts she didn’t notice someone in her path. They bumped. “Oh, I’m sorry.”

“It’s quite alright,” the other person said. Makoto looked to see that it was Akechi. “Although I am a bit surprised. What brings you here this late at night?”

“Oh, uh, well…” Makoto stammered. “I just have a lot on my mind. I guess I needed to clear my head.”

“I see,” Akechi said. He began thinking.

Makoto was a little incensed. “What’s that look for?”

“Ah, forgive me,” Akechi apologized. “I was just wishing your sister would sometimes clear her mind. She’s been overworking herself a lot, you know.”

“I do. Makoto sighed. “Sorry.”

“It’s quite alright,” Akechi replied. “I was probably overstepping my boundaries. Well, don’t stay out too late tonight.”

“Thanks,” Makoto responded. “Have a good night.”

“You too!” Akechi returned. They both kept walking.

Makoto got out her phone.

Makoto: Are you still awake?

Ren: Yeah.

Makoto: Can you tell me where you live?

Ren: Uh, sure.

Ren: Is something wrong?

Makoto: I’ll tell you when we meet.

Ren: Fair enough.

Ren: I live in a cafe in Yongen-Jaya called LeBlanc.

Makoto: Really?

Ren: I’m used to it at this point.

Makoto: I’m on my way.

Makoto figured out where to go and headed over immediately. As she was about to knock on the door, Ren answered. Makoto was a bit stunned. “Come in.” Makoto did. The two of them sat down. “So, what’s up?”

Makoto sighed. “Sorry. This is a lot.” She explained what had happened with her sister’s Palace.

Ren was shocked by all of it. “Oh my.”

“Yeah,” Makoto admitted.

“Do you want to try?” Ren asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said, surprised. “Oh, I don’t know. A part of me really wants to, but I don’t want to fail. I mean, this is my sister we’re talking about. I want this to succeed more than anything. Eris told me we’d be doomed to failure if we entered right away, so I feel like I don’t want to go in unless we have the best shot at doing so.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, that’s certainly understandable. I dunno about the rest of the team but I agree with you on this.”

“Really?” Makoto said.

Ren nodded. “100%.”

“Why is that?” Makoto asked.

Ren smiled and answered “Because, I believe in us.” Makoto was in awe. “I mean, so far we have proven that we can handle what Eris has thrown at us. If things continue like this, I feel like we can do it.”

Makoto was still awestruck. She smiled, nodded, and said “You’re right. We just gotta be confident in our choices.” She frowned. “For a little while now, I felt like I’ve lacked such confidence. I’ve been at the whim of other people.” She slammed her fist. “But no more! I’m confident that I became a Phantom Thief. I’m confident that I stopped a tyrannical gangster from abusing my fellow students. I’m confident that I stopped my friend from going down the wrong path. The weakness in me dies today.” Ren giggled. “Was that too much?”

“No. Sorry. I love it,” Ren replied. “But,” she sighed, “how do I put this? I don’t really think weakness dies that easily?” Makoto was confused. “I mean, as long as I’ve been in Tokyo, I’ve changed a lot, but I’m still afraid of things. I’m still worried about what some people might think. But I think that acknowledging weakness is in it of itself a strength. Because it shows you understand yourself.”

“Hm. I suppose you’re right,” Makoto agreed.

“I know from personal experience,” Ren added. “For a while, I thought to hide my weakness. Push it down. But that all changed when I started making friends. Through their strength, I finally started to accept my weakness. I know I’m not done, but I’m also not afraid.”

“Huh,” Makoto responded. “I hadn’t thought about it like that. But you’re right. I think I may have started losing my confidence when my father died. For the longest time, he was my strength. To have that gone in an instant…”

Ren felt bad. “I’m sorry.”

“Huh? Oh, no, I…” Makoto stammered. “I just…” she sighed. “I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I’m just reflecting on what you said. Ever since joining the Phantom Thieves, and even before when I was determined to find out the truth about you guys, I feel like I’m starting to find my strength again.

I mean, you guys were standing for justice, no matter what anyone else said. That surprised me. It was honestly refreshing. I would sometimes think of my dad in the same way. That he would always try to do the right thing no matter what. So, I think I found a home with you all. If that’s alright…”

Ren grinned. “It’s perfectly acceptable. In fact, I feel like everyone else feels like that, one way or another.”

Makoto blushed. “Thanks.”

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 3

“Oh, by the way, can you help me with something?” Ren asked.

“What is it?” Makoto replied.

“I took a look into what was in the briefcase we got,” Ren explained. “It’s a bunch of fake money. We need to get rid of it somehow, but I can’t get it out of here during normal business hours.”

“I getcha,” Makoto said. “I can take it with me for now. My sister will still be busy with the Kaneshiro thing for a bit.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. She walked upstairs. A minute later, she came down with the briefcase. “Just be careful not to lock it.”

“Oh, I could probably figure out the combination if I did. But thanks,” Makoto said. She took the briefcase and headed out. On her way home, she felt a little relaxed. She was still worried about her sister, but she knew now that when the time came, she would save her. Thanks t her new friends.

Notes:

I didn't anticipate this to have a Makoto Confidant in it (also, 3 Confidants in a day, wowzers), but it felt right to do. Somehow, this makes Makoto's confidant both easier and harder to manage. But that's for me to worry about.

This kind of thing is interesting. Because this story has a more narrative focus, I'm allowed to do things like this whenever the opportunity presents itself. I had only really planned on it for one confidant in particular, but this works too, and I love how the chapter turned out.

Also, I've been replaying Strikers on NG+, and I've been getting more ideas on how to do a Rebel Girl: Strikers. It's coming together more. I don't think it'll have any changes that are as dramatic as this story does/will, but I like the changes I'm coming up with. But we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 78: New Perspective

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Makoto texted the group again before school.

Makoto: So, I paid Ren a visit last night.

Makoto: She gave me the treasure, which as you know was the briefcase.

Makoto: When she opened it, she found a bunch of money, but it was fake.

Makoto: We gotta get rid of it somehow, but it needs to be done safely and discreetly.

Makoto: Does anyone have any ideas?

Yusuke: I could do it.

Ann: Really?

Yusuke: Yes.

Yusuke: I could probably grind up the money into a pulp for an art project.

Yusuke: Barring that, I could just sneak it into one of the kilns.

Makoto: Well, if you’re going to do that, just do it safely.

Makoto: We don’t want anything to go wrong.

Yusuke: I shall exercise great caution.

Makoto: Thank you.

Makoto: I’ll deliver it to you after school.

Yusuke: Jose and I will be waiting.

Jose: Should I do anything?

Yusuke: Maybe bring something to carry the money in, in case what I bring isn’t enough.

Jose: Gotcha.

Ren: So what about the briefcase?

Makoto: Well, I can sell it, and we can use the funds to do…something…

Ryuji: We usually spend the money on a celebration of a job well done.

Makoto: Huh.

Makoto: Well then, let’s figure out what that’s going to be.

Ryuji: There’s a sushi place in Ginza I’d like to try.

“Ooo, Ooo, Sushi!” Morgana said, excitedly. “Put me down for that!” Ren chuckled.

Ren: Morgana’s excited.

Ren: As am I.

Sumire: Sushi sounds great!

Ann: Well, you know your way around food, Ryuji, so I trust you.

Yusuke: I’m fine with whatever, so long as it’s delicious.

Jose: Likewise.

Makoto: Well, I guess that’s settled then.

Makoto: Talk with you later.

Yusuke: See you then.

Jose: Bye.

Ren: Bye.

Sumire: Bye-Bye!

Ryuji: Seeya!

Ann: Bye!

They headed to class.

After school, Ren got up and headed to the office of Dr. Maruki. She paused in front of the door, and sighed. She knocked. “Come in!” Maruki called. Ren walked in, face red as a tomato. She closed the door, and sat down. Maruki was curious. “What’s this about?”

Ren didn’t answer for a bit. She just sat there. Eventually she sighed. “Sorry.”

Maruki giggled. “It’s OK.”

Ren smiled, but quickly became nervous again. “Um, so, uh, I’m kind of going out with someone.”

Maruki became more alert. “I see.”

“To be honest,” Ren went on, “I never thought this would happen. The possibility of this seemed impossible.”

“Huh” Maruki responded.

“And, well, um, I just don’t want to screw it up, you know?” Ren said.

Maruki smiled. “I read you. Loud and clear. Although I don’t know if I'm the best person to come for this.”

“But!” Ren interjected, “...You’re kind of the only person I can sort of talk to about this…”

Maruki noticed her nervousness. “Hm. I didn’t mean to make you feel bad. I never said I wouldn’t help.” Ren sighed. “So, is there anything in particular that you’re worried about?”

Ren didn’t quite know how to answer that. “Well, I’m not 100% sure. Being in a relationship like this is like a fog to me. So, I have my worries, but I’m also scared that I’m going to be blindsided by something I couldn’t see coming.”

Maruki laughed. “If THAT doesn’t describe a relationship…” Ren gave him a sour look. “Sorry. But that is kind of true. Relationships, like life in general, can be stormy at times. One moment, the waters are calm as can be, the next, tidal waves the size of skyscrapers. Although, I assume that when it comes to life, you’re more familiar with those tidal waves.”

“Yeah…” Ren admitted. “Weathering them sucks, but I’ve done it.”

“True. You are quite the tenacious one,” Maruki added. “Hm. How do you usually feel once you’ve weathered those storms?”

Ren shrugged. “I dunno. Somewhat relieved…but also…lonely, I guess…”

“I see..” Maruki said. “Well, I can tell you that in a relationship, you won’t be as lonely. Sometimes though, the storms can be bigger.” Ren was worried. “However, if you’re willing to work through it together, you’ll come out the other side stronger.”

“Huh,” Ren reacted.

“BUT,” Maruki warned, “you BOTH have to be able to make it work. If both of you can’t promise that, then…well…”

Ren smirked. “Yeah.”

“I’m not saying that WILL happen,” Maruki said, “but…well…when Rumi couldn’t remember anything, I had to break it off. She wasn’t able to be in a relationship, so I had to cut it off.”

Ren was a little confused. “You could have stayed and helped her get to that point.”

Maruki shook his head. “I was lost too. I was blinded by my anger and ambition. I couldn’t be what she needed, even if I was willing to stay. But I know that all this doom and gloom isn’t what you’re here for. My point is, being in a relationship takes work. But, if you really do love each other, you’ll be willing to put in that work. Be open and honest with them, even in the toughest moments, and everything should be alright in the end.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.” Maruki chuckled. “So, how ‘bout you?” she asked. “You getting back out there alright?”

Maruki was taken aback. “Well, sort of… working here is eating up a lot of my time.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“I mean, I’m a little nervous,” Maruki admitted, “but I feel like if I ever fall in love with someone again, I’m more prepared now. You know, sometimes, you don’t choose the moment; the moment chooses you.”

Ren smiled. She knew that. After all, Sumire confessed to her. “I get that.”

Councilor-Takato Maruki: Rank 4

Ren got up, grabbed a snack, and said “Thanks for today, doc.”

“My pleasure,” Maruki shot back. Ren waved and left.

Later, Ren got a text.

Ohya: Hey kid, ya got any more juicy tidbits?

Ohya: I’d LOVE to hear them.

Ren: Sure.

Ren: I’ll stop by this evening.

Ren: The usual spot?

Ohya: You know it!

Ren put her phone away and headed to Shinjuku.

Once Ren walked in, Ohya shouted “Hey, Lala-chan! Look who’s here!”

Ren sat down. “What’ll it be?” Lala asked.

“Cmon, live a little!” Ohya offered. “I won’t tell.”

Ren smirked. “I’ll…have…a soda this evening.”

“Excellent choice,” Lala said. She prepared Ren her soda.

“Oooo, what are we mixing in it?” Ohya asked.

“Nothing!” Lala insisted.

“Ugh, fine,” Ohya said.

“Um, do you actually want me to be drunk?” Ren asked, catching both Ohya and Lala off guard. “Because I don’t think I’d be a good source if I was drunk. Heck, I’d probably just pass out.”

Ohya and Lala exchanged a look. “Well?” Lala asked.

Ohya was still a bit surprised. “Ah! Ya got me!” Ren was confused. “I just wanted to see if you’d take me up on it.”

“Why?” Ren asked.

“Because, if you did, I’d know to trust you less,” Ohya admitted.

“So, you don’t…trust me?” Ren asked, confused.

“Ah, it’s nothin’ personal kid,” Ohya said with a smile “I have a hard time trustin’ anyone.”

“I see.” Ren said, a bit surprised.

“So, whaddya got?” Ohya asked with a smile almost as plastered as she was.

Ren was careful to tread lightly. “Depends. What do you want?”

“Ah, a smooth operator,” Ohya said. She took a drink. “Well, let’s see… How do they get their calling cards out?”

“Their calling cards?” Ren asked.

“Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhh,” Ohya said. “I mean a school is one thing. But seeing them wall to wall in Shibuya is beyond magic. How do they do it?”

“Hmmmm,” Ren thought. “Well, I’m not sure.” Ohya seemed annoyed. “BUT what I CAN tell you is that I’ve heard that each member has their own specialties.” Ohya went back to being interested. “So, what I think is that they plan it out carefully, and use the right tools for the right job.”

“Huh. Interesting,” Ohya said. “Is that also how they take down their targets?”

“I’d have to assume so,” Ren said. “Like I said, they contact me. Whatever information they don’t want out, they don’t let out.”

“Psh,” Ohya scoffed.

“I take it you’re not as big a fan? Ren asked.

“Eh, it’s more complicated,” Ohya said, taking another swig of her drink. “But as long as I’m getting some good information I’ll keep my skepticism to myself.”

“Hmmmm,” Ren pondered. “Well, if you were to not, what is the question you’d like to know the answer to the most.”

“Hm. Clever girl,” Ohya said. She took another drink. “Well, what I want to know most is why? Why do this? What is their endgame?”

Ren got lost in thought. “Well, I can’t speak on their endgame. But I can tell you, they really believe in what they’re doing. They wish to help people, and they have the means of doing it. I mean, Hell, they asked me for help. That’s not nothing. They understand people and extend their trust to those they believe in. I believe in them, and they seem to believe in me.”

Ohya took some time to process that answer. “Hm. I’d love to believe that. Really. But,” she sighed, “I dunno. I have trouble trusting people who say they fight for true justice.”

“I suppose people who encourage minors to drink are more trustworthy,” Ren snarked.

“Hey, I never said you can trust me,” Ohya said.

“Really?” Ren said. “Because, I’ve been reading the articles you write. You seem to do a good job keeping your word.”

“Well, uh,” Ohya said, surprised. “Look, my reasons are my own, OK?” Ren giggled. “I mean, the Phantom Thieves haven’t done anything that would warrant a retraction yet, but…there’s this voice in the back of my head that is worried about when that will happen.”

Ren smiled “I think I get that. I have the same kind of feeling when it comes to life.”

Ohya giggled. “You’re fun. Alright, I’ll try lookin’ at thing your way for a bit. For your sake. But at the first sign of trouble…”

“I read you loud and clear,” Ren said.

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 2

Ren gave Ohya some more info, finished her drink, and left.

On her way, she spotted the fortune teller that helped her and Ryuji out. “I guess I have time.” She walked over. “Hi there.”

“Oh, hello,” the fortune teller said.

“I’d like to have my fortune read, miss...” Ren said. “You know, I don’t think I ever caught your name.

The fortune teller giggled. “It’s Chihaya. Chiahya Mifune.”

Ren giggled back. “Ren. Ren Amamiya.” They shook hands. “So, can you read my fortune?”

“Oh. Of course,” Chihaya said. She prepared her cards. “Now let’s see.” She proceeded to flip the cards. “Hmmmmm.”

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“Well,” Chihaya said, “it appears that someone is going to challenge you soon.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

“But then someone is going to strike at them,” Chihaya continued. “However, they are going to strike themselves in the process. If you don’t want them to hurt themselves, you need to step up to them.”

Ren was confused. “Do you know how?”

“Well…no…” Chihaya said. “I admit, my powers can be limited at times. But, if you want my help, for only 100,000 yen, you can buy a crystal infused with some of my power.”

“Woah! 100,000?!” Morgana said from Ren’s bag. “That’s a LOT!”

It was. But through her escapades in the Metaverse, she had made more than enough to cover it. Plus, she knew that Chihaya had some special gift. After all, she managed to sneak her and Ryuji away without knowing what was happening, and she knew where they needed to go without telling her. “Deal.”

“REALLY?!” Morgana screeched

“Oh, really?” Chihaya said. “I mean, great.” They made their exchange.

Ren got up, bowed, and said “Thank you.” She started to leave.

“Hey,” Chihaya said. Ren looked back at her. “Be careful.”

Ren was puzzled. She nodded and said “Thanks. You too.” Ren then walked off.

Upon entering LeBlanc, Ren took out that crystal she bought. “I can’t believe you spent 100,000 on this thing,” Morgana moaned.

“Well, you heard her,” Ren insisted. “She said it would bring good luck. And frankly, we could all use a little more.”

“I guess,” Morgana said, pawing it. It then broke suddenly. “Wh-WHAT?!”

“Hmmm,” Ren said. She picked up some of the parts that broke off and put them in her mouth. “Rock salt.”

“So that woman LIED to us?!” Morgana said. “For 100,000 yen!”

“I’m not 100% sure on that,” Ren said. “She seemed a bit hesitant about the whole thing.”

“Maybe because she didn’t expect you to be a sucker,” Morgana said. 

“I dunno,” Ren said. “I have a feeling that there’s more to this than meets the eye. I mean, she helped us before, right? There has to be an explanation.”

Morgana gave her a look. “I guess… We should try and get an answer out of her if we can. No use making wild accusations without at least making an attempt to reach out.”

“Indeed,” Ren said. She scooped up the salt.

“You’re keeping that?!”

Ren shrugged. “It could be useful for something.” Morgana couldn’t deny that. Ren smiled. “Come on, kitty. Let’s get to bed.” The two of them went upstairs for the night.

Notes:

Right now, I feel so close to the beginning of the next arc, and yet so far away. We still have a few big things to get through, as well as some more confidant chapters before the Futaba arc begins. But man, do I love what I have for the Futaba arc. I know I say that every time, and I have some doubts, but I just really love writing this story. It's fun, interesting, and open to a lot of possibilities. And I hope you have fun reading it Enjoy.

Chapter 79: Searching for Ideals

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was Sunday. Ren went downstairs to eat her breakfast. As she was eating, she got a message from Ann.

Ann: Hey, can you meet me at the park today?

Ren: Sure. What’s up?

Ann: I just wanna clear my head, and you’re a good sounding board.

Ren: Uh, thanks?

Ann: …

Ren: I’ll be there. Don’t worry.

Ann: Thank you.

Ren put her phone away and finished her breakfast.

Later, she met up with Ann at the park. Ann was sitting on a bench looking frustrated. “Hey.”

Ann looked up at her. “Oh. Hey yourself.”

Ren smiled a bit. She sat down next to Ann. “So, what’s up?”

“Well…” Ann began. “I’m feeling a bit listless now.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

“It’s kind of a long story,” Ann explained.

“We have time,” Ren said. “Unless you want to study.”

Ann giggled. Then she got a bit more serious. “You know how I’m one quarter American?” she asked. Ren nodded. “Well, my grandfather, my father’s father, he was a photographer. One day, he got an opportunity to work in the United States, which he took. And it was there where he met my grandmother. She was a model.” Ann smiled. “I’ve heard story after story about how she would turn countless heads, and charm even the most stonefaced person with a single word.”

“Sounds like the two of you have a lot in common,” Ren noted.

Ann tilted her head. “You don't really mean that, do you?”

“Of course I do!” Ren answered.

“Hm. Well, that makes one of us…” Ann replied.

“Hey, come one,” Ren said. “You’re an amazing person. I’ve seen it time and time again.”

Ann smiled. “Thanks. But I’m still not sure.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

It took a second for Ann to answer. “Well, I was going through some of her old modeling photos for like, you know, inspiration, but I found myself more confused by the end of it. I thought I’d find a connection since she’s my grandmother, but I haven’t found anything. All I see are images of this person who’s a lot better at this than I am.”

“Hmmmm,” Ren pondered. “Well, do you know what’s beyond the images?”

“Huh?” Ann responded, puzzled.

“I mean, remember when you told me about that shoot that didn’t go well?” Ren asked.

“Uh, yeah?” Ann said

“Well, maybe there’s something like that going on,” Ren explained. “There’s a reason for it.”

Ann thought about what Ren said. “I…hadn’t thought about it like that before. You know, I did notice that in pretty much all of her photos after she got married she was happier. More expressive. More free. There was a fire in her eyes.”

“Alright. So we just gotta find your fuel source and light it up,” Ren remarked.

Ann laughed. “I think I sort of have one. Although, I’m not quite as fired up as she was.” She got a bit more serious. “You know, a lot of people were opposed to my grandparents getting married. But they were adamant about it. Even now, I think they’re one of the most in-love couples I’ve ever seen. Besides, I wouldn’t be here if they didn’t get together. How could I oppose a love like that? I mean, I guess Ryuji has his reasons for not liking his dad, but this is different, you know?”

“Well, the fact that you know there’s a difference tells me you have more fire than you think,” Ren said.

“I guess,” Ann said. “Ugh, this is what I mean. It feels like everything should be clear to me, but it isn’t. I want to be a light for others. I wanna show them that things will be OK, even if they aren’t right now. I just can’t catch what I’m chasing.”

Ren looked at the distance Ann was looking at. “You know, I sort of felt the same way for a while.” Ann looked at her. “I tried to help people, or stick up for myself, but none of it made any sense.”

Ann was stunned. “What changed?”

“I guess it’s a lot of things,” Ren explained. “I mean, I didn’t really know what it was like to be saved until you slammed open the door when Kamoshida had me cornered. But even after that, just being here, doing everything with all of you, that has helped change my whole perspective.”

“Not to mention Sumire-chan, right?” Ann retorted.

Ren chuckled. “See, you got it. You just gotta find something worth fighting for. And then fight for it. And if you fight like you do in a Palace, I know you can win.”

Ann smiled. “Thanks. Hm. You know, this actually helped a lot. I mean, I still need to put it all together, but with friends like you, I know I can do it.”

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 6

Ann stood up. “I think I’m going to give my grandparents a call. They could probably help me.” Ren nodded and waved. Ann waved back and then left.

Later that evening, Ren got a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: I’m having another speech.

Yoshida: Could you please help out?

Ren was a little nervous.

Ren: I’ll come over.

Ren: But I need to tell you something.

Yoshida: Oh my. Are you alright?

Ren: Yeah…

Yoshida: Well, I’ll see you there.

Ren: Seeya.

Ren sighed heavily. “Here goes…”

Ren arrived, someone shuffling toward Yoshida. Yoshida looked at her. “Oh my. Are you going to be alright?”

“Yeah…” Ren said. “Um, well, uh…”

Yoshida smiled. “It’s OK. If you’ve got something to say, say it. Although, I’ve been trying that strategy for a while, and it hasn’t worked t get me elected, eh heh heh.”

Ren smiled. She always admired Yoshida’s jovial tone. She nodded. “Um, well, the thing is, I’ve, um, started seeing someone…”

Yoshida was surprised at first. “Huh. Well that’s good!”

“But,” Ren interjected, “um, who I’m going out with is..a bit…um…well, let’s just say, if  your opponents find us and tie me back to you, they could use that against you…”

Yoshida was puzzled. He then grew stern. “Well then, let me handle it.” Ren was surprised. “Going after supporters and aids is a low blow, and one which I will not tolerate. I’m the one they’re after. Hurting innocent souls such as yourself, or the person you love is off limits!”

Ren smiled seeing Yoshida getting fired up. Yoshida calmed down. He smiled. “Besides, you’re helping an old man such as myself. Whatever outward complaints people might have with your boyfriend, I’m sure they’re excellent beyond words.”

Ren shrugged. “They mean everything to me,” she admitted.

Yoshida nodded. “Well then, let’s get out there. Oh, by the way, some TV people called me about filming tonight’s speech. Are you alright with that?”

Ren was a little stunned, but she steeled herself. “I think so.”

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Yoshida asked. He prepared himself, while Ren grabbed the card. “Tonight’s Topic: Calling For True Justice.”

When they were out there, Ren noticed the camera crew ready for action. Yoshida turned to them, and nodded. The person operating the camera gave a countdown. Once he gestured to Yoshida, he began. “People of Tokyo! As you may well be aware, The Phantom Thieves took down another tyrant of villainy and self-service. This time, it was renowned crime boss, Junya Kaneshiro.

Of course, this has caused quite the commotion. For a long time, the authorities couldn’t even come close to catching him. And yet, these Phantom Thieves do it in a matter of weeks. As I have said before, I do not want every problem to be solved by The Phantom Thieves. While I appreciate their work, I cannot allow them to be the only ones who do anything.

The system we have in place allows for people like Kaneshiro to slip through the cracks. It won’t change if we don’t change it ourselves. While I promise that I will do everything in my power to help if elected, I want you to promise me that even if I’m not elected, you will demand change as well.

We are no good as a society if we only see things for ourselves. We need to come together to make a brighter future for everyone. We can't keep relying on someone else to save us. We need to be able to save ourselves. Thank you.”

The audience was impressed, and applauding. Ren smiled at that. However, she heard the camera crew talking. “Hey, wasn’t this…you know?”

The other one sighed. “Yeah. I know. He’s really going for it, huh.”

“But you said this was the ‘No-Good’ Tora,” the first one said. “I was expecting some of that.”

“Well, I’m sure we can do something with the footage,” the second guy said. They both looked up at Yoshida. “Thanks!” Yoshida smiled and nodded. Ren was confused.

When they met up afterwards, Yoshida said “Well, I guess they weren’t as interested in me as I thought they were. Or rather, they were interested in the old me.”

“So, why did you let them leave afterwards?” Ren asked. “You know, instead of sticking up for yourself?”

“Well, it’s important to pick your battles,” Yoshida explained. “In this case, even if I didn’t give them what they wanted, they still have something. So long as I’m getting my message out, I don’t care how people come across me. You understand?”

“I think so,” Ren answered. She was a bit nervous. “So, um, do you really mean it when you say you want a brighter future for everyone?”

Yoshida was confused. “Um…yes…?”

Ren sighed. “Sorry. It’s fine. I’ve just been burned before, you know?”

“I get it,” Yoshida said. “I’ve been hurt by people I’ve trusted as well.”

“Ren-senapi?!” Sumire’s voice called.

Ren and Yoshida looked over to see her. “Sumire? Wh-What are you doing here?”

“Oh, um, well,” Sumire began explaining. “I was with my dad today. I saw a camera crew heading out, and I know those guys like a good gotcha moment, so I wanted to see if everything is alright.” She walked over to Ren. “What are you doing here?”

“Oh, uh, I’ve been helping him out with his speeches,” Ren said. “I guess I hadn’t told you that, huh.”

“If you did, I would have come,” Sumire said. She grabbed Ren’s hands. “You know that.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“A friend of yours?” Yoshida asked.

Ren and Sumire were slightly caught off guard. Ren looked at Sumire and asked “Is it OK?”

Sumire had to think about it for a moment. “Do you trust him?” Ren nodded. Sumire smiled. “Then that’s your answer.”

Ren’s face turned slightly red. She looked at Yoshida and said “This…is my girlfriend…” She smiled nervously.

Yoshida was a bit thrown off for a minute, but then proceeded to laugh. “BAH HA HA! So that’s what you meant.” He placed his hand on Ren’s shoulder. “I understand your hesitation, but I assure you, when I say ‘everyone’ I MEAN ‘everyone’. A world which betrays even one person for a silly reason like that is not a world I want to be a part of. Which is why I’m trying my best to help.”

Ren smiled more sincerely. “Thanks. Sorry I doubted you.”

“Oh, not at all,” Yoshida said. “I’m used to people not trusting me. But when they hear me out, things tend to go well.”

“Heh heh,” Ren laughed. “Couldn’t have said it better myself.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 5

“Well now, you should get going then,” Yoshida said. “You two have school in the morning, right?” They both nodded. “Well, don’t let me keep you here.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. “I’ll see you later then?”

“Of course,” Yoshida said. “Maybe next time you can bring your girlfriend along. I’d love to get to know her more.”

Sumire giggled. “The feeling’s mutual.” She turned to Ren. “Well then, let’s get going.” Sumire started walking.

Ren took one last look at Yoshida for the night. “Bye!’ she waved. Yoshida smiled and waved back.

On their way to the station, Sumire asked “So, what did he mean when he was talking to you?”

“Oh, well,” Ren was slightly embarrassed. She sighed. “I was worried that if we were seen together, it could get turned back on Mr. Yoshida. I didn’t want to ruin his chances. I mean, I would never give you up! I was just worried I’d have to give him up. I mean…ugh!” She put her hands in her face.

Sumire giggled. “You’re such a big softie.” Ren let go of her face. Sumire smiled. “But you’re my big softie.” She leaned in and kissed Ren on the cheek. Ren’s face was red as a strawberry. “He he.”

Ren was in awe. She chuckled. “My, aren’t you the clever one.”

“Hm hm. I try,” Sumire giggled. Ren smiled. She then leaned in and kissed Sumire on the cheek, turning her face red as a strawberry. “H-Hey!”

“Oh?” Ren said. “You can dish it out, but you can’t take it?”

“Well…uh…” Sumire stammered. Ren relaxed a little. She grabbed Sumire’s face, and pulled in for a tender kiss. Once Sumire figured out what was happening, she wrapped her arms around Ren. After they finished and let go, Sumire said “Wow.”

“Hm hm. You good?” Ren asked.

Sumire smiled. “Yeah.”

“Then let’s go home,” Ren said. Ren and Sumire held hands the rest of the way, until it was time to part.

Notes:

I've gotta say, I'm really excited for the next couple of chapters. I have so many ideas for them that I feel like I'm bursting at the seems. It's wrapping up this arc and getting into the next, and I'm always a bit giddy for that.

Although I am starting to run into the name problem again. And seeing as we're inching closer to the number of chapters of my previous longest work, I know it'll be an uphill battle. The more plot-heavy chapters I'm not as worried about, it's the pure confidant chapters that throw me for a loop.

Speaking of confidants though, I do need to figure out a good balance for them, as, well, you know, some of them are intertwined with plot things. But luckily, the Futaba arc is pretty long, so I can figure things out in that time hopefully.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 80: Past, Present, and Future

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday morning, and Makoto was in Principal Kobayakawa’s office. Kbayakawa was looking at a report Makoto had handed him. “What’s the meaning of this?”

“This is my report on the Phantom Thieves,” Makoto stated. “Over the course of my investigation, I have found that the Phantom Thieves are truly just, and therefore, no further investigation is warranted.”

“But…but…” Kobayakawa said, confused. “Ahem. Do you know who they are?”

“No clue,” Makoto answered. “Whoever they are, they are good at covering their tracks.”

“Ha ha, I’m sure there’s a crack in the system,” Kobayakawa insisted. “Surely you could find it.”

“I’ve been trying ever since you asked me,” Makoto retorted, “and I haven’t found anything. I cannot investigate further, even if I believed they were rotten to the core.”

“Oh, nonsense,” Kobayakawa said, trying to hang on by a thread “What about that letter of recommendation?”

“I happily deny it,” Makoto rejected.

“WHAT?!” Kobayakawa shrieked.

“I want to enter the college of my choice on my own merit,” Makoto explained. “Therefore, I have no need for a letter like that.”

“I see…” Kobayakawa said, becoming more stern. “Well, I guess I can’t force you. However, might I ask you to reconsider your conclusion? I get that you see the good in them, but a fake justice, especially one like they pedal, can be hard to see at face value.”

“Are you insulting my investigation?” Makoto asked.

“Of course not,” Kobayakawa rebutted. “I’m just saying that matters like justice can be a bit complicated for a teenager, such as yourself, to grasp, no matter how smart they are.”

Makoto slammed her hands on Kobayakawa’s desk. Kobayakawa was now cowering. Makoto looked him dead in the eye. “My father died three years ago to the day upholding his justice. A justice which he imparted on me and my sister with every breath he took. So don’t lecture ME about justice! Especially when you can’t see the criminal in your own backyard!” Makoto continued staring him down for a bit, while Kobayakawa sweated profusely. She let go of his desk. “I think we’re done here.” Makoto left.

Kobayakawa was shaken. Once he felt like he could move again, he fell back in his chair and sighed heavily. “What am I going to do?” He got a call. Hesitantly, he answered it. “Hello?...Ah, of course…Yes, everything is under control…I know…just a bit more time and-...yes sir…I understand…thank you.” He hung up. “Guh… What am I gonna do?” He sat himself back up. “Perhaps I need to take things up to the next level myself.”

After school, Makoto was working on a few things in the student council office. Kisa approached her desk. Makoto looked up. “Oh, hey Kisa. I’m just about done here, and then we can go, OK?”

Kisa nodded. Makoto went back to work. She averted her gaze. “Hey…” Makoto looked back up. “Thanks…for everything.”

Makoto smiled. “It’s what we do.” She finished up her work.

As Makoto and Kisa were leaving, they saw that Ren, Sumire, Ann, and Ryuji were waiting for them. “Wha…wha?” Makoto stuttered.

“Well, we knew that today was…well…” Sumire said.

“Yeah, we thought,” Ryuji then continued, “you know, we could keep you company.”

“But if you don’t want us to…” Ann said.

Makoto smiled. “Thanks guys.”

Ren smiled back. “Jose and Yusuke are meeting us at the station.”

Makoto nodded. “Well then, let’s get going.” The group left.

After meeting up with Jose and Yusuke, Makoto led the group to the cemetery where her father was buried. They stood outside of the gate. “Here we are,” Makoto said.

Kisa took Makoto’s hand. “It’ll be alright.”

Makoto looked at her and nodded. “Yeah.” The two of them walked in, with everyone else following behind.

They arrived at his grave. They looked upon it, and it read “Nobuyuki Niijima: Beloved Father. An Officer, and a Gentleman.” Makoto cleaned the area a bit, and lit some candles, and everyone paid their respects. Makoto sighed. “Um, if it’s alright with everyone, I would like to be alone for a moment.” Kisa looked at everyone else and nodded. They all nodded back and left without a word.

It was just Makoto, staring at her father’s grave. She sighed again. “It’s been three years, huh. Heh. Sometimes, it feels like only yesterday that this happened. Other times, it feels like it’s been ten years. As you can see, Kisa’s doing just fine. I’m assuming sis and Naoko will come by later.”

She frowned. “Losing you has been really hard. For so long, I thought I would never find a light strong enough to overpower the darkness of that day when those officers told me you weren’t coming home.” Makoto smiled. “But now, I have some new friends. And they really are the best. And I feel like for the first time in a while, I can smile again. Smile the way you told me you loved. I’ve been wanting to for a while, so you wouldn’t worry, but I never had the strength until now.

I really wish they could meet you. I bet you’d just love them to pieces. And I bet they’d love you as well. I’m sorry we couldn’t spend more time together. And I’m sorry for whenever I was being bratty about you and your job. I know I say that every year, but it never stops being true. I know no one could ever replace you, but I’ve found my own strength, and I am never going to give it up.” She bowed. “Thank you, dad, for everything.” She proceeded to walk out.

Meanwhile, when everyone else made their way back outside of the gate, Sumire said “I hope she’ll be OK.”

After a bit of silence, Kisa assured them “If I know her, she will be.”

Sumire looked up at her and Kisa nodded. Sumire smiled. “Thanks.”

Kisa smiled. “Switching topics: You guys are the Phantom Thieves, right?”

Everyone was caught off guard. “Ummmm…” Ryuji said awkwardly. Ann elbowed him. “Ow!”

Kisa chuckled. “It’s fine. I won’t tell. After all, you saved me right?”

Again, there was a bit of a silence. Ren then stepped forward. “That’s right.”

“I thought so,” Kisa said. “So, is Makoto also a member?” Ren nodded. “Huh.”

“So, how did you figure us out?” Yusuke asked.

Kisa was slightly surprised. “Oh, well, I’m just very close with Makoto. So, I just know what to look for.”

“Fascinating,” Yusuke remarked.

Kisa giggled. “I know you guys are going to continue this. I can imagine it’s dangerous, but I won’t stop you. I will tell you this though: This is the first time in a long time I’ve seen Makoto this sure of herself. I know that she needs something like you guys to help her, and I admire that. But if something bad happens to her because of you, I won’t forgive you.”

Ren smirked. “Trust us. If something bad happened to Makoto on our watch, we wouldn’t want to be forgiven.”

Kisa smiled. “Thanks. I’m going to get going now, but I think you should be with her for a bit longer.”

“Thanks,” Ren replied. Kisa walked off.

Morgana popped out. “Well, I’m glad someone like her figured us out. But maybe we should be more careful.”

“What do you mean ‘we’?” Ryuji snapped. “You don’t gotta worry about shit.”

“I’m thinking of the team here!” Morgana shouted back.

“Calm down you two,” Ann said. “Now’s not the time.”

Both boys cowered. “Sorry,” they said at the same time.

A few minutes later, Makoto arrived. “Oh, where did Kisa go?”

“She left…” Ann said.

Makoto was confused. “What was that about?”

“Well…uh…” Ryuji stammered.

“I’ve got it,” Ren said. She proceeded to inform her of the conversation they had with Kisa.

“Huh. I see,” Makoto remarked. “Hm. I’m impressed. She has a good head on her shoulders.”

Everyone smiled. After a bit, Jose said “So, Kisa asked us to stay with you some more, but if you’d like to just go home…”

Makoto shook her head. “I know just what to do. I managed to sell that briefcase. What do ya say we go celebrate?”

“I’m down!” Ryuji said. “I need a little something to psych me up before exams.”

“Hm. Very well then,” Makoto said. “To Ginza!” The Thieves began walking to Ginza.

A little while later, they were at the sushi place, enjoying themselves. “Aw yeah, this is great!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Indeed!” Yusuke agreed. “So well crafted, and so delicious!”

“Mmm, can I have some?” Morgana asked.

“I told you!” Ren said. “I’ll get you some for later. But for now, be quiet.”

“Yeah, you don’t want them to kick us out?” Ann whispered to Morgana.

Morgana pouted. “Very well.” Ren rolled her eyes. She looked over at Sumire, who was enjoying her food. Ren shook her head, knowing very well that she’d behave just like Morgana if Sumire told her something similar. She continued eating.

Jose looked up at the TV in the restaurant. He looked puzzled. “Hey! Look!” Everyone else looked up. The TV read “Tokyo Assemblyman Praises Phantom Thieves.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped.

“Let’s check it out!” Ren said. They got out their phones.

“I’m here at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building,” the reporter said, “and I am joined by Assemblyman Kei Kaneshiro; the first sitting politician to endorse the Phantom Thieves.”

“Kei…” Makoto said, confused.

“Kaneshiro?” Jose finished, just as confused.

“Assemblyman Kaneshiro, can you tell us why you support the Phantom Thieves?” the reporter asked.

“Of course,” the assemblyman said. “As you may be aware, they recently stole the heart of a notorious crime boss.”

“Right,” the reporter interjected.

“Well, that crime boss was my brother,” Kei continued.

“So it IS him,” Sumire said.

“My brother did some truly terrible things,” Kei explained, “some of which cannot be forgiven. However, he’s still my brother. I can never forget that. I visited him after he was arrested, and it felt almost like old times. Before everything went south.”

“So, you support the Phantom Thieves because they helped your brother?” the reporter asked.

“Not quite,” Kei said. “Like I said, he has committed unforgivable crimes. But I support the Phantom Thieves because they helped him see the error of his ways. I don’t know if you know this, but there have been instances where it is said that the Phantom Thieves help out in instances that haven’t gotten as much fanfare as these bigger stories.”

“I am aware of such claims, yes,” the reporter answered.

“THAT is also why I support them,” Kei said. “When The Phantom Thieves arrived on the scene, it was alright too late for my brother. But for some, it’s not too late. If the Phantom Thieves can help before those people become too far gone… Well, I know I would have liked something like that before Junya went off the deep end. I wish that they not only continue exposing the big evils we face, but also the smaller ones before they become bigger. Thank you.” Kei walked off.

“Well, there you have it,” the reporter said. “Phantom Thieves, if you are listening, well, I hope for your sake his trust in you isn’t misplaced.”

They turned their phones off. “Woah,” Sumire said.

“Holy shit” Ryuji exclaimed.

“This is big, Jose said.

“Totally,” Ann agreed.

“My word!” Yusuke exclaimed.

“Huh,” Makoto said, taking it all in.

“Hm,” Ren smirked. “Well, we don’t want to disappoint, now do we?”

“Heh heh heh, of course not,” Morgana whispered. Everyone looked at him the best they could. “Sorry,” he said even quieter.

They sat back up. “I will say though,” Makoto said, “this is a big responsibility being imparted to us. We need to be ready.” They all nodded. “‘I hope one day there will be a time where our services aren’t needed, but until then, we have to give it everything we got.’” Everyone looked at her, impressed. “Oh uh, I didn’t come up with that just now.” She explained. “That was something my father said.”

Ren smiled. She raised her drink. “To Makoto’s father!”

Soon, everyone else was raising their glass. “To Makoto’s father!” they said.

Makoto was touched. “Hm.” She smiled and raised her glass. “To you, dad.”

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 5

They finished their food, and left for the evening.

A little later, Sae arrived at the graveyard. She stood outside for a second before heading in. She walked to her father’s grave. “Hm. It looks like Makoto was here earlier. It’s been three years, huh. What I wouldn’t give to have you back. I don’t know how you do it, but I know I’m not doing it. I wish I could do better. I wish I could be better.” She sighed.

“You know, there’s this new mysterious group of vigilantes calling themselves ‘The Phantom Thieves’. Makoto asked me if you’d support them.” Sae smiled. “I’m investigating a series of mental shutdowns, and I think the Phantom Thieves are somehow linked. Although I don’t knowhw much, or even if they’re linked directly. So, when she asked me that, it took me everything I had not to say…’yes’.

I know you. You saw the world glass half full. Of course you’d love these purveyors of justice. And part of me really wants to, but I can’t. I can’t discount anything when it comes to cases. Because if I do…” She sighed. “Everything will fall apart.”

After a bit of silence, she continued “I know I have to use my own strength a lot of the time, and I know how to use it well enough, but if you’re watching, and if the Phantom Thieves are really innocent like you and Makoto believe, then please, lend my your strength., if even for just a moment.” She said her prayers and bowed. “Thank you.” She left.

At the gate, she came across Naoko. They looked at each other. “I have some questions for you,” Sae said. “But they can wait.”

Naoko smiled. “Thanks.” Sae left as Naoko walked in. He found his way to Nobuyuki’s grave. “Hey,” he said, taking out a sake bottle and two glasses. “I brought something for you.” Naoko sat down and poured himself and his partner a drink. He took a shot. “Ah!”

He looked at Nobuyuki’s grave and smiled. “I know you’re worried,” he said, “but from what I’ve seen, Makoto and Sae are turning out to be fine young women. Still, I’ll be there whenever I can to help them, and I hope you’ll be too.”

He frowned. “You know, I almost went down a dark path recently.” He smiled. “But it was Makoto who helped me find the light. Heh. Even now, I’m getting saved by a Niijima.”

He frowned again. “You know, there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss you. Ever since you left, I’ve been feeling lonely and lost in a fog of uncertainty. But now, seeing Makoto and her friends, I’m thinking I should finally get some help, ya know? Not just bare the load on my own.”

He stood up and set the sake bottle down. “Thanks, partner. Until next time.” He walked out of the cemetery.

At LeBlanc, Morgana was chowing down on the sushi Ren brought over. “Oh man. This is marvelous beyond belief!”

Ren giggled. “I’m glad you’re enjoying yourself.” She then got out her phone.

Ren: Hey sis?

Ren: What do you think of The Phantom Thieves?

Sasa: I hate them.

About a minute passed before Ren got another message.

Sasa: Just kidding.

Ren: I knew it.

Sasa: I was just saying that because I saw you defending them on that TV show.

Ren: YOU saw that?

Sasa: It's been passed around quite a bit.

Sasa: It has over a million hits.

Ren: Ugh…

Sasa: Don’t worry little sis, I’m sure things will calm down.

Ren: Yeah…

Ren: So, what do you really think?

Ren: About the Phantom Thieves?

Sasa: Hmmm.

Sasa: Well, they operate more where you live, but from everything I’ve seen and heard, I love them.

Ren: Really?

Sasa: Yeah!

Sasa: I mean, they fight for the little guys. How can you not like them?

Ren: Believe me, as someone who’s made this point on live TV, I’ve gotten plenty of reasons from people.

Sasa: Lol

Sasa: Despite that, I doubt you changed your mind.

Ren: I have not.

Ren: You and I are in the same boat.

Sasa: Of course.

Sasa; You are quite stubborn.

Ren rolled her eyes.

Ren: As much as I’d like to continue this, exams are coming up.

Sasa: Right. Same here.

Sasa: We’ll talk more during the summer.

Ren: Right.

Ren: Good night.

Sasa: Good night.

Ren put her phone away. She continued preparing for exams while Morgana finished eating. After which, the two headed upstairs and got ready for bed.

As they were lying in bed, Ren asked “Hey?” Morgana looked up. “You think we can do it?”

“Of course,” Morgana said. “What do you take us for?”

“Hm hm,” Ren laughed. “I’m just thinking about what Kaneshiro’s brother was saying. So many people are putting their trust in us. I don’t want to let them down.”

Morgana smiled. “I get it. It’s a huge burden. But I think together, we can manage.”

Ren smiled. “Yeah, you’re probably right. Thanks Morgana.”

“Good night,” Morgana said. The two fell asleep.

Notes:

And thus, the Kaneshiro arc has formally come to an end. I love everything I have so far, but I think this arc has been my favorite thus far. Although, I imagine this might be an upward trend.

Speaking of, I am thinking about the next arc, and I think it's going to be somewhat different than what I've been doing so far. I think I keep saying something to that effect, but I just want you to be prepared.

Anyways, Happy Holidays, and enjoy!

Chapter 81: A Little Means A Lot

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Tuesday at lunch, Makoto entered Ren and Ann’s classroom. Everyone in the class looked at her. She walked right up to Ren’s desk. “May I have a word with you?”

Everyone else gasped. Ren simply smiled and said “Sure.” She stood up. Makoto nodded, and the two walked out to the hall. While the rest of the class went into hysterics, Ann rolled her eyes and continued eating.

Out in the hall, Makoto said “So, I’ve arranged a meeting with Eiko after school today, but, um, well…” she sighed. “I guess I’m a bit nervous. Since you were there when we saw her, would you mind coming over and, I dunno, just helping me?”

Ren understood what Makoto was tryin to say. She smiled, put her hand on her shoulder, nodded, and said “Of course.”

Makoto smiled back. “Thank you.” Ren let go. “You can get back to lunch.” Makoto walked off. Ren waved at her and then went back to class.

When Ren sat back down, Ann turned to her and asked “So, what WAS that about?”

“Makoto just needed help with something,” Ren explained.

“Gotcha,” Ann replied. They continued eating their lunch.

After school, Eiko walked into the student council room. “Oh, hello,” Makoto said. “Do you mind if I call you Eiko, or would you prefer if I used Takao-chan?”

Eiko was a bit confused. “Eiko’s fine,” she answered. “What’s this about?”

“Oh, um, we’re waiting on one more person,” Makoto explained. She could sense Eiko’s trepidation. “Don’t worry. You’re not in trouble.” Eiko wasn’t entirely sure of that, but chose to believe Makoto for now. Ren walked in. “Ah, welcome.”

“Her?” Eiko said. “I don’t even know her.”

“I know,” Makoto said, trying to keep things calm. “She’s with me. This is Ren-chan.”

“Hi,” Ren said.

“Ren, this is Eiko,” Makoto followed up. Ren sat down next to Makoto. “Ahem. Well, I guess there’s no real easy way to do this, so I’m just going to go point blank. Eiko,” Eiko perked up, “I…was hearing rumors that you had been doing some…well, let’s say unsavory things in Shinjuku.”

“Hm?” Eiko said. “Those people must be mistaken…”

Makoto grunted. “I’d like to believe that… However, the two of us saw you there.” Eiko was shocked. “Would you mind telling us what’s going on?” Eiko was still on the fence. Her face was red and she was shaking. Makoto saw this. “I’m sorry,” She yelped, causing Eiko to stop. “I didn’t mean to put pressure on you. I just want to make sure you’re safe. That’s all.”

Eiko was more calm, but still a bit worried. “How do I know I can trust you on that?”

Makoto was now on the back foot. Luckily, Ren jumped in. “I was arrested.” Makoto and Eiko looked at her. “Not a lot of people here know that about me. But Makoto did, since, you know, she’s the student council president. Despite that, whenever we’ve talked, it was with mutual respect and understanding. And eventually, we became friends.”

Makoto and Eiko were stunned. “Pah!” Eiko brushed off. “I bet you just stole something from a convenience store.”

Ren smiled. “I got charged with assault.”

“Assault?!” EIko said. “You don’t look dangerous.”

“She isn't,'' Makoto insisted. “From my understanding, it was self-defense, but the judge didn’t see it that way.”

“Ooooohhhhhhh,” Eiko said. “Huh. Cool.”

“So, can you tell me what’s going on with you?” Makoto asked.

“Huh? Oh, right,” Eiko said. “Um, well, the truth is, I work at a hostess club.”

“What?!” Makoto reacted.

“It’s not as bad as it sounds,” Eiko assured her. “The manager is really nice. I get paid well, and it’s kind of fun.”

“Oh,” Makoto said. “So, has anything bad ever happened?”

“Nope,” Eiko answered. “The manager deals with anyone who gets too fresh with any of the women; even those who work as hostesses.”

“That checks out,” Ren said. “I go to a place in Shinjuku every-so-often, and the person who runs it is also very above board.”

“Really? Cool,” Eiko said.

“So, you’re not even a hostess?” Makoto said, getting things back on topic.

Eiko nodded. “Right. I just help serve customers.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “Well, thank you for your time.” She reached out her hand to shake Eiko’s.

Eiko then noticed something. “Is that a Buchimaru-kun pencil case?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Makoto said. “You like him too?”

“Oh, for sure,” Eiko said. Makoto smiled slightly. “It’s just been a while since I’ve seen anything about it. But why is it so beaten up?”

“Oh, well, um,” Makoto began explaining, “it’s like you said, they haven’t made any new ones for a while, so…”

“Wait, that’s your old pencil case? From, like, elementary school?” Eiko asked.

Makoto’s face turned red from embarrassment. “Um, d-don’t you have to get to your job?”

Eiko saw how Makoto was reacting. “Oh, I didn’t mean to embarrass you,” she apologized. “I think it’s really cute and cool. Honest.” Makoto was even more embarrassed. “But to answer your question, no. I don’t work today. As nice as my manager is, she can be somewhat serious. She gives all the high-schoolers time off to study during exam times. Although I’m probably going to fail…”

Makoto felt the nervousness in her voice at that answer. “Oh, uh, do you want me to help you study?” Eiko looked up. “I mean, I know exams start tomorrow, but I’m we could get something done-”

Eiko interrupted Makoto with a hug. Makoto was taken by surprise. Eiko looked up at her. “You’d really do that for me?” Makoto nodded. Eiko squeezed her tighter. “Oh thank you! Thank you so much!”

Makoto was still a bit embarrassed, but she hugged Eiko back. “Of course.” Ren giggled to herself.

Eiko let go. She smiled. “You know, I kind of thought you were just some self-serious, no nonsense, brutal class president.” Makoto frowned slightly. “But today, I learned you’re actually really cool. And kind of cute too.”

Makoto smiled with a light blush on her face. “Thanks.”

Eiko nodded. “So, are we going?”

“Oh, of course,” Makoto said. “Just give me a minute. I wanna talk with Ren-chan for a moment.”

“OK. Cool,” Eiko said. “I’ll meet you out in the hall then.” They both nodded, and Eiko left the student council office.

Makoto turned to Ren. “Thanks for saving me again. I don’t know what I’d do without you sometimes.”

“Nah, you had it,” Ren said.

“I’m serious,” Makoto laughed. “She was so nervous. I mean, I guess anyone would be if they thought they were dealing with a ‘self-serious, no nonsense, brutal class president’. How could I ever pay you back?”

“Are you kidding?” Ren asked. “Without you, we would have never found Kaneshiro, let alone do anything about it. Not to mention, we accidentally got your friend involved. So if anything, I owe you.”

Makoto shoved Ren, somewhat playfully, but mostly embarrassed. “Stop it.”

Ren giggled. She got a little more serious. “If you really want to pay me back, just get more confident. I really feel like you could have handled this on your own. I just jumped in because that’s what friends do, ya know?”

Makoto smiled. “I do know. But thanks anyway.” There was a bit of a silence. “Say, even if I get more confident during situations like that, would you still help me if I asked?”

“Hm? Of course,” Ren answered.

Makoto smiled back. “Thank you.”

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 4

“Well, I should get going,” Makoto said. “I don’t want to keep Eiko waiting.” She began to leave, but then stopped. “Um, do you want to come with us?” she offered. “I mean, we’re a grade ahead of you, but I think we could help.”

Ren shook her head. “I’m actually planning on helping someone else tonight.”

“Is it Ryuji?” Makoto asked.

“Nah!’ Ren said. “I think I’ve given him all the help I can.”

“Right…” Makoto said, remembering those photos. “Well, I’ll see you around.”

“Bye!” Ren said. Makoto left the room. Ren headed out soon after.

At Makoto’s house, Makoto was helping Eiko with some of their topics of study. “...and there you go!” Makoto said.

“Wow!” Eiko said.

“Do you get it?” Makoto asked.

“Yeah!” Eiko said, excited. “You make this stuff really easy to understand!”

“Oh, well,” Makoto said, getting embarrassed once again. “It’s nothing.”

“I’m serious,” Eiko continued. “You should, like, be a teacher or something.” Makoto turned to stone. “Oh. Did I say something wrong?”

“Huh?” Makoto said, snapping back into reality. “Oh, no, it’s not…” She sighed.”It’s just, up until recently, I was thinking I was going to be a prosecutor, like my sister, but now I’m not so sure.”

“Oh…” Eiko said. “I’m sorry…”

Makoto looked at Eiko. She giggled. “It’s OK. I know you didn’t mean anything by it. It’s just a lot to think about sometimes.”

“Huh,” Eiko responded. “So, even the super smart class prez gets confused sometimes.”

Makoto chuckled. “Well, I’m only human.” They both chuckled slightly.

The door opened up, and Sae stormed in. “I’ll only be here for a few minutes, I just need to pick up some things and-” she was stunned by Eiko. “Who is this?”

“Oh, um, this is Eiko,” Makoto introduced. “She’s in my class. We’re studying for exams together.” Eiko waved

“I see…” Sae said. There was an awkward silence. “Well, I hope you two do well.” She left, fetched the things she needed, and left.

Makoto sighed. “Wow. Your mom looks so young,” Eiko remarked.

“Huh?” Makoto said, confused. “Oh, no, that was my sister. My mom died when I was young.”

“Oh. I’m so sorry,” Eiko apologized.

“It’s fine,” Makoto said. “You didn’t know.”

Eiko smiled nervously. “So, if it’s alright, can I ask about your dad?”

Makoto frowned. “He died three years ago.” Eiko tried to apologize, but Makoto interrupted her. “Don’t. You don’t need to. It’s fine.” She sighed heavily.

Eiko got determined. She ripped out a small piece from one of her notebook pages and wrote something down. “Here,” she said, offering it to Makoto. “This is my phone number. I…don’t really know what you’re going through, but if you need me at all, you can contact me. Even if I’m at work. I’ll talk to the manager. She’ll be really cool with you popping over for a bit.”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks. I’d like that a lot.” Eiko nodded. The two of them went back to studying.

Later that night, Ren was going over her notes for tomorrow’s exams. The door opened. Ren looked up to see Kawakami. “~I’m here master!~” she curtsied.

“Welcome,” Ren replied.

Kawakami got mad. “Why did you call me tonight? You know exams are tomorrow, right?”

Ren nodded. “That’s exactly why I called you. I mean, I know you don’t have any of your materials or anything, but if you want to prepare a few things from off the top of your head, you can. Or if you need a break, you can just sit down. I mean, you’re still working tonight, so you aren’t giving yourself a break. I’ll even fix you up something to eat, if you want.”

Kawakami was stunned. “You’re…You’re serious, aren’t you…?” Ren nodded. “I…I…” She broke down into tears. “I’m sorry!” she continued crying. Ren was confused. “I just..I just CAN’T!”

“OooooK?” Ren said.

Kawakami continued sobbing. “You’re just…just…hic…”

“Um, just calm down,” Ren said, trying to stay calm herself. “Have a seat, and I’ll be back with some food, OK?” Kawakami peered through her fingers, looked at Ren, and nodded. “Great.” She went behind the counter while Kawakami took a seat. Ren prepared some curry and coffee while Kawakami took some time to settle down.

Ren came back to the booth with a coffee and curry for each of them. Kawakami took a sip of her coffee. “Feeling better?” Ren asked.

After a pause, Kawakami answered “No. I’m just all dried up.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

“I’m sorry,” Kawakami said. “This was really sweet and all, but…” she sighed. “It’s wasted on a screw-up like me.”

“Hey, don’t be like that,” Ren said.

“I mean it though,” Kawakami said. “You’re so sweet, and…I’ve been lying to you.” Ren was intrigued. “Truth is…I don’t have a sick sister. I just say that to get more money from people…I’m sorry…”

Ren was stunned by this revelation. Still, she remained calm. “Hey,” she said. Kawakami looked up. “It’s fine. I was helping you before you told me that, alright. It’s fine.”

Kawakami was stunned by this bold response. “But…I lied to you…”

Ren smirked. “You also gave me a chance. I mean, I remember you weren’t all that excited to have me as a student, due to my record, but you kept trying. So now, I’m giving you a chance, alright.”

Kawakami didn’t quite know how to take that. She ended up smiling and said “You really are a good kid, huh?”

“Well, I try,” Ren remarked. “It’s not always easy.” Kawakami giggled back. She sighed. Ren smiled back at her. “Listen, you don’t have to tell me anything now, but if you’re ever ready, please tell me.”

Kawkami was a bit stunned. “I’ll…think about it…” She began eating her curry. “Mm, this is delicious!”

Ren chuckled. “Thanks.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 4

They finished eating, and then spent the rest of the time just sitting in silence. However, it was just what Kawakami needed at that point. When her time was up, she stood up, curtsied, and said “Thank you, master” without her flirty voice. Ren giggled, and waved goodbye. Kawakami left for the night. Ren went upstairs to go to bed.

Notes:

I was almost certain that the previous chapter would be my last chapter for this story in 2021, but I really liked the concept of this chapter so much that I decided to write it up. And I think it turned out better than I had imagined it. I hope you do too.

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 82: What Sae Does In The Shadows

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wednesday morning. The Shujin Thieves were standing together in front of the school. “Are you ready?” Ren asked.

“Ugh, I hope so,” Ann said. “I was up all night studying.”

“Well, I’m sure it’ll pay off, Ann-senpai,” Sumire assured her.

Ryuji yawned. “I was up all night too. You better keep your word!”

“I promise,” Ren said.

Makoto looked really intense. Sumire noticed this. “Um, are you OK, Makoto-senpai?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Makoto answered. “It’s just… I’m a third year, you know? I really have to make this count!”

“Hey, if any of what I heard is true, you could pass these tests while going toe-to-toe with like ten shadows,” Ryuji said.

“Heh heh, Thanks,” Makoto giggled.

Ren nodded. “Well, waiting isn’t going to do anything,” she told her compatriots. “See you on the other side.” They walked into the building, and began their exams. Summer was right around the corner, but they had to pass that one final hurdle.

However, with the Phantom Thieves busy with exams, others were making moves as well. The same day as exams started, Sae was called into the office of her boss. “You wanted to see me sir?”

“Ah, yes,” the director said. “ How are things coming along, vis-a-vis your mental shutdown case?”

Sae stood firm. “Sir! As I stated, I believe these Phantom Thieves and the mental shutdowns are related. The number of these mental shutdowns has decreased since the Phantom Thieves announced themselves. Plus, the result and methodology are similar in nature. However, I have yet to find any solid evidence for either series of incidents.”

“Hmmm,” the director said. “Your reports have told me as much. I put you on this case because I expect results. You are one of the best prosecutors I’ve ever seen.”

“I’m looking into various angles as we speak,” Sae assured him.

“Of course,” the director said. “I didn’t mean to take a jab at you there. This case is unlike anything we’ve seen. Of course information isn’t as upfront. However, and I don’t mean to judge, are any of your other cases suffering because of this?”

“No sir,” Sae answered. “Everything is under control.”

“Good, good,” the director said.

Sae was thinking for a moment. “Sir,” the director became curious, “if I may, how do you feel about these Phantom Thieves?”

“Pardon?” the director asked.

“I mean, they get more and more popular by the day,” Sae continued. “Even a sitting assemblyman endorses them. So, I’m asking, in your professional opinion, do you believe that the Phantom Thieves are causing the mental shutdowns?”

Sae’s boss looked at her, intrigued. “Well, that’s an interesting question. Personally, I try not to let things such as popularity get in the way of what I think.”

“Oh, I’m sorry sir,” Sae apologized.

“Don’t be,” the director said. “It’s a reasonable question to be sure. And as you’ve stated, even politicians are getting in on the mania. But for me, being in charge of the Special Investigations Unit, as well as a lifelong prosecutor, I personally respect accountability. So, so long as these Thieves remain Phantoms, I cannot justify fully endorsing these people as heroes. But as for if they’re linked to the mental shutdowns…I can’t be sure of that either. But I trust your investigation. Whatever result you give me, I will accept.”

Sae grew determined. “Thank you sir.” She left.

The director got a call. “Hello…ah yes, those meddlesome Phantom Thieves…of course, they are nothing compared to you, sir…people are starting to like them more and more…let them have their fun sir. Soon they’ll realize their mistake…Yes sir. Let’s begin our counter attack…the people will realize that only a select few can change the world…right…I’ll make the necessary preparations on my end…Thank you sir.” He hung up. “Those Phantom Thieves won’t know what hit them.”

Thursday evening, Sae was standing in front of Naoko’s door. She sighed. She hated having to do this, but she knew she had to. She knocked. Naoko answered. “I told you we needed to talk.”

“Hm,” Naoko slightly chuckled. “Come in.” Sae entered. “Sorry the place isn’t in great condition.”

“It never is,” Sae remarked.

“Oof. Cold,” Naoko said. They had a seat opposite to each other. “So, I’m guessing you’re here because you believe I know who the Phantom Thieves are.”

Sae nodded. “To some extent, yes. I don’t think you know who all of them are, but I believe you know at least one of them.”

“Assuming it was me who wrote that manifesto you showed me earlier,” Naoko countered.

Sae glared at him. “I know it was you. I’m just not bringing you in because you didn’t follow through on it.”

“Heh,” Naoko said. “You know what, fair enough. I’ll bend a little for you. You’re right in that it was me who wrote that manifesto. However, I didn’t go through with it because of The Phantom Thieves.” Sae was shocked by that admission. “And for that reason, I can’t be more open with you.”

Sae was equally shocked. “What?!”

“Well, I can,” Naoko said, “but you have to promise me that you won’t charge them with anything.”

“I can’t make that promise,” Sae admitted. Naoko sighed. “Why are you so intent on protecting them?”

Naoko grew more serious. “Because they saved me,” he answered. He sighed. “I’ve never told anyone else this, but when Masami, my wife, died, I was in a really rough place. I was working this serial murder case, and I had found some evidence that pointed me to a suspect. I was just about ready to drop them dead myself. But your father… Your father figured out what was happening, and stopped me.”

Sae was shocked. “I…had no idea…”

“He convinced me to take some time off,” Naoko went on, “to, you know, work through everything. Your dad caught the perp, so that helped. So I can’t give you much more on the Phantom Thieves. They protect me, I protect them. That’s my code.”

“I see…” Sae replied.

Naoko smiled. “But I have faith in them. So I’ll give you a little something to work with. I know at least three of them go to Shujin. I bumped into one of them up in Shinjuku a little while ago. Didn’t catch his name, but he was wearing a Shujin uniform. He was there with someone else on the orders of a third.”

“And that’s all you can tell me?” Sae asked.

“Unless you can give me guarantees,” Naoko responded.

“Well, you know I can’t,” Sae said.

“Hm,” Naoko grunted. “Very well.”

“Do you think I won’t be able to find them with just that?” Sae asked.

“Well, I will say, they aren’t the Phantom Thieves for nothing,” Naoko answered. “If you begin snooping around, and they notice, they’ll cover their tracks like that.”

“I’ve heard similar things,” Sae said.

Sae stood up and was just about to leave when Naoko said “Hey.” Sae looked back. “I don’t doubt your prowess as a prosecutor, but just be careful. I’ve seen cases take the souls of many people. I don’t want you to become one of them.”

“What makes you say that?” Sae asked.

“Heh,” Naoko chuckled. “Just like you know me, I know you. I know you can be tough when you need to be, but this seems different. I know the difficulties of working a case, especially one where the answer feels so close, yet so far out of reach. Just be sure to take a break every once in a while.”

Sae paused for a moment. “I’ll keep that in mind. Good day.” She walked out.

As she was leaving, Naoko said “I hope you’ll be prepared for the truth.”

Friday morning, the Shujin thieves were outside the entrance again. “Ughhhhhh,” Ryuji groaned. “I don’t think I’m gonna make it.”

“Aw, c’mon Ryuji,” Ren said. “We’re halfway there.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji grunted. “And I’m living on a prayer.”

“Get it together!” Ann cheered. “She reached her hand out. “Take my hand. We’ll make it I swear.”

Makoto looked at them weird. “What?!”

Sumire was on her phone. “Oh! There’s a fireworks festival Monday. Why don’t we all go to celebrate us being done with exams?”

“Hell yeah!” Ryuji said, getting his second wind. “I’m pumped.”

“...You know you actually have to get through the exams, right?” Makoto asked.

“Huh? Of course!” Ryuji said. “I’ve been studying harder than ever before!”

“Well that’s something…” Makoto said, not entirely sure if that was enough.

“Well, exams wait for no student,” Ren reminded them. “Let’s go.” They went inside.

That day, Sae got a call. She answered. “Hello?”

“Ah, Prosecutor Niijima,” said Principal Kobayakawa, “may I have a word with you?”

“Right now?” Sae asked.

“Well, no,” Kobayakawa said. “If possible, I’d like this to be a face-to-face meeting.”

Sae scowled. “This better be important.”

“It involves Makoto,” Kobayakawa said.

Sae was surprised. “Fine. I’ll be on my way.” She hung up.

A little while later, Sae arrived in Principal Kobayakawa’s office. “Ah, Miss Niijima, thank you for coming.”

Sae was serious. “Where’s Makoto?”

“She’s taking her exams now,” Kobayakawa said.

Sae was concerned. “But you said this was about her.”

Kobayakawa nodded. “It is.” He took out Makoto’s report.

Sae was confused. “What’s this?”

“THAT is a report that Makoto wrote on the Phantom Thieves,” Kobayakawa explained.

“WHAT?!” Sae said, incensed beyond belief.

Kobayakawa nodded. “I asked her to investigate the Phantom Thieves and-”

Sae slammed her hand on his desk. “You did WHAT?!”

Kobayakawa was surprised. “Well, she is among the best of the best at this school,” Kobayakawa explained. “If anyone could root them out, I figured she could.”

Sae was stunned. “Why are you having Makoto investigate the Phantom Thieves?!”

“Well, because she’s a capable student, and the class president, soooo…”

“No! Why are you having ANY student investigate the Phantom Thieves?!” Sae clarified.

“Oh, that?” Kobayakawa said, with little to no self-awareness. “Well, if the Phantom Thieves do in fact go to this school, what better way to find them than through another student? This is all for the investigation into them, you know.”

Sae glared daggers at him. “Leave the investigating to the professionals. I honestly thought you would have learned to call someone after the Kamoshida incident.”

Kobayakawa turned serious. “While what happened with Mr. Kamoshida was unfortunate, we had no idea what was happening.”

Sae assaulted his desk. “Cut the crap!” she snapped. “There’s no way you had no idea what was going on! I don’t know why we haven’t done a more thorough investigation yet, but I will open it up personally if I have to!”

“Hm,” Kobayakawa grunted. “Let’s get back to brass tacks. Now, in Makoto’s report, she exonerates the Phantom Thieves. I was thinking maybe you can convince her otherwise. We both know what’s going on, right?”

Sae was still mad. “Sorry, but I’m not one to do any favors for you. Makoto’s her own person, and can think for herself. Meanwhile, I’m conducting an investigation. So I can’t be certain one way or the other until I have the evidence.”

“Well, I was trying,” Kobayakawa said. “I offered her a letter of recommendation, I sent out flyers asking for information-”

Sae slammed his desk again. “What part of ‘I’M’ investigating don’t you get?! YOUR job is to be a principal. Although, I guess it doesn’t surprise me that you didn't find anything. You’re a failure as an investigator AND a principal.”

Kobayakawa was angry. “Now wait just a minute!”

“NO! You wait!” Sae yelled back. “You bribe and solicit your students to do your dirty work! That alone is indefensible.”

“No, that’s just the cost of doing business,” Kobayakawa countered.

Sae slammed her hand again. “Why don't you get it?! Makoto is a teenager! She’s not supposed to be waging your wars just because you failed to expose your gym teacher for what he really is! She’s supposed to go to class, hang out with friends, and stuff like that!

In fact, I bet because of your constant pressure that pushed her to this conclusion in the first place. Makoto told me that she had heard several students complaining about the activity of the now arrested Kaneshiro. You mentioned those flyers you put out. That wouldn’t happen to be when Makoto got all that information, would it?”

Kobayakawa had no answer. “Your silence is deafening,” Sae remarked. “So, not only did you use your status to manipulate a child, bribe them, and force them into brushing up with one of the most dangerous people in Tokyo, you didn’t even manage to get Makoto to agree with you? I have to say, that’s impressive.”

Kobayakawa was mad. “Well, that’s why I invited you here. Maybe we can discuss how we can go forward.”

“No! Sae shouted. “We’re done here! ‘WE’ don’t do anything. I’M going to continue my investigation! And if I need YOUR help, I’ll ask for it.” She grabbed Makoto’s report. She began walking out. She stopped, turned her head, and said “If the Phantom Thieves target you next, I wouldn’t be surprised.” She left completely.

Kobayakawa fell back into his chair. “Well, that didn’t go like how I expected.”

That evening, Sae was in her room reading Makoto’s report, hoping to get insight on the Phantom Thieves. “Well, I will say this, Makoto is always thorough as can be.” She kept reading. “Hmmm. While we’re no closer to finding out who they are, I think I have a better idea of how they operate.” She smirked.

The next day, she was in her boss’s office again. “You want to put a security detail on the principal of Shujin Academy?” the director asked.

Sae nodded. “I suspect he might be a target for the Phantom Thieves. If they strike, we might be able to catch them.”

“Hm… I’ll look into it, the director said.

“And also sir,” Sae continued. “Why aren’t we investigating Shujin for the Kamoshida incident harder?”

The director shrugged. “Because, Kamoshida is already behind bars.”

“Right,” Sae said, “but the case doesn’t end at his confession. We need to investigate and figure out who else knew.”

The director was impressed with her tenacity. “Very well. I will look into that as well. Is that everything?” Sae nodded. “Thank you.” Sae left. The director made a call. “Ah, sir…yes, I was wondering if it would be alright to turn the heat up on our contact at Shujin…I see…very well…as you command…talk to you later.” He hung up. The director grinned menacingly.

That evening, Ren was relaxing in the public bath in Yongen-Jaya. “AHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now THIS is just what I needed.I’m so glad exams are over.” After a bit more relaxing, she eventually headed back to LeBlanc.

Upon entering, Sojiro noticed something. “You look chipper. I thought you’d be exhausted after exams.”

“I was,” Ren said. “But then I went to the baths down the street.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “It looks like it did wonders.”

“It did,” Ren smiled. Sojiro looked like he was contemplating something. “Something up?”

“Huh?” Sojiro reacted. “Oh, no. I’m just thinking to myself.”

Ren wanted to cheer him up. “Well, you look good even without a bath from over there.”

Sojiro rolled his eyes. “Thank you.”

Ren nodded. “I’m gonna go upstairs. Despite the bath, I’m still tired.”

Sojiro nodded back. “You take care now.” Ren headed upstairs.

She changed into her pajamas and sat down on the bed. “Ugh.” She took out her phone.

Ren: I’m done with exams.

Sasa: So am I.

Ren: Cool.

Ren: So, you have any idea when you wanna stop by?

Sasa: Well, it’d be up to mom and dad.

Ren: Could you come before them?

Ren: It could be just the two of us.

Sasa: Sorry. I have plans with friends for a bit.

Sasa: By the time I’m free, mom and dad would want to visit.

Ren: I see…

Sasa: Hey, it’ll be alright.

Sasa: You can face them.

Ren: Are you certain of that?

Sasa: You messaged me, remember?

Ren: I guess…

Sasa: Look, it’ll be fine.

Sasa: I’ll be there, and I’m sure Sumire will be there for you as well.

Sasa: Not to mention your other friends.

Ren: I suppose you’re right.

Sasa: Of course I am!

Sasa: We got this!

Sasa: Take care little sis.

Ren: You too big sis.

Ren put her phone down. A few minutes later, she got a message. She checked her phone, and was surprised about what she saw.

Notes:

I guess I had one more chapter in me for the year. And sorry about the cliffhanger, but I'm gonna take a bit of a break from this. Hopefully what I return with will be worth it. I think it is, but we're not there yet. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 83: All's Fair in Love

Notes:

I was expecting me to take a bit of a longer break, but I felt like I wanted to come back to this. And boy was this an incredible chapter. I love it so much. And I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Chapter Text

Ren was in shock. Just as she was getting ready to turn in for the night, she got a message. When she checked it, she saw it was from none other than her girlfriend, Sumire.

Sumire: Hey Ren-senpai.

Sumire: I’m sorry if you’re already asleep.

Sumire: So, the fireworks festival is still on for Monday.

Sumire: But I just found out about a fair going on tomorrow.

Sumire: I was thinking we could go. Just the two of us.

Sumire: Like, on a date.

Sumire: If it’s too late, I’m sorry.

Ren was in awe. Her cheeks turned pink. Is this really happening? She quickly messaged back.

Ren: Hey.

Ren: You caught me at just the right time.

Ren: Yeah, of course I’d like that.

Ren: It’s a date!

“It’s a date!” I could have said that so much better.

Meanwhile, Sumire was getting these texts. She saw them. She's saying yes? Oh, I was not prepared for an immediate response. She texted back.

Sumire: Great!

Sumire: I’ll text you the location.

She gave Ren the location.

Ren: Great!

Ren: See you then.

Sumire: Good night!

Ren: Good night.

They put their phones away. Sumire was ecstatic. “MmmmmmmmmmmEEEEEEEEE!” She flopped on her bed. “It’s a DATE!”

Ren was tossing in her bed. How can I fall asleep now? Despite her anxiousness, she managed to fall asleep.

The next morning, Ren walked downstairs in some summer casual clothes: A black tank top, khaki shorts, and navy blue flip flops, accessorized with a small tan purse, and some bracelets. She took a deep breath and shook some of her nervousness away. “You going somewhere?” Sojiro asked.

Ren became on edge again. “Uh, yeah. My, uh, friend invited me to a fair today.”

“Hm,” Sojiro said. Ren was hoping her nerves would go unnoticed. “Well, have fun.”

Ren was relieved. “Thank you. I will.” She left LeBlanc and headed to the fair.

Once she got there, she looked around for Sumire. “OVER HERE!” she heard Sumire called out. She turned over to see Sumire in a really adorable yellow kimono.

Ren smiled and walked over. As they met up, she noticed that Sumire was giving her a weird look. “What’s up?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Sumire stammered, “you're not wearing a kimono.”

“Oh,” Ren said, getting immediately embarrassed. “I, uh, didn’t pack one.” Sumire was confused. “I didn’t think I’d get the chance to use one when I was packing for Tokyo.”

“Oh,” Sumire said. “Well, no matter. As long as you’re by my side, nothing else matters.” She giggled.

Ren blushed, but then smiled. She offered her hand. “Well, shall we?” Sumire was surprised, and then giggled some more. She took Ren’s hand, Ren pulled her in, Sumire grabbed Ren’s arm, and began to lean on her arm. They started walking through the fair.

Ren noticed a TV crew going around. “Hey, uh, are you worried about being spotted on TV?”

Sumire looked over at the TV crew. “Oh, don’t worry. You’re with me.” Ren raised her eyebrow. “I know those guys. One time, they caught Kasumi and me unaware, and my dad practically went berserk on them.”

“Huh,” Ren responded.

“Come on,” Sumire instructed. “Let’s just enjoy the fair.”

Ren smiled. “Yeah.” They continued on their date. They started by getting some snow cones and eating them together. “Say, wanna do what we did at the ice cream shop?”

Sumire shook her head. “I have other plans.”

“Oh? Do tell.”

“Can’t. It’s a surprise.” Sumire giggled. Ren giggled back.

After they finished, they found a booth giving prizes depending on how many baskets you made with a basketball. “Oh, hey, let me win you something!” Ren said.

“Are you sure?”

“Positive,” Ren said, doing some stretches. “I was one of the best on my school’s basketball team.” She placed some money down, and the stand manager gave her some basketballs. Ren proceeded to sink every shot, much to the surprise of the booth manager, and the delight of Sumire. Once Ren finished, the booth manager gave her a pink stuffed rabbit, which she gave to Sumire.

They then passed by a booth where you could knock down some bottles to earn a prize. Sumire saw this, smiled, and said “Alright. Time to return the favor.” She got out some money.

Ren was confused. “Are…you sure?”

“Yeah,” Sumire answered confidently. “I’m actually really good at this.” She placed her money down, and the booth operator gave her the baseball. Sumire got into position, and then threw with all her might. There was a loud CRASH as the bottles were knocked over, impressing the booth manager, as well as Ren. Sumire giggled. The booth manager gave her a purple stuffed cat, which she gave to Ren.

They then went to one of those fishing games. “Wanna try it?” Sumire asked.

“I dunno,” Ren said. “I’ve never been good at them.”

“Really?” Sumire asked. She smiled. “Come on, I’ll help you.” They walked over. Ren got into position over the pool. “Ready?” Ren nodded. “OK! It's simple.” Sumire crouched down behind Ren and pressed herself against Ren’s back. “Now, all you have to do,” she grabbed Ren’s hand, “is keep an eye on the fish,” she positioned her head next to Ren’s, with her mouth right next to her ear, “and remain calm.” Ren immediately tensed up, and her hand jolted up. Sumire was confused, and backed up a bit. Due to Ren’s sudden movement, a fish flew up into the air, and miraculously, it landed in Ren’s net. The two of them laughed slightly nervously.

They continued on, walking through the fair, enjoying the food, and partaking in more booths. Eventually, they both needed to have a seat. Sumire knew it was time. She got out something. “Hey Ren. How about another game?” she said through gritted teeth. Ren was confused for a second, and then turned to find a piece of pocky in her mouth. Ren chuckled briefly, and then decided to indulge her girlfriend. Ren bit the other end. They began slowly chewing the pocky bit by bit, until their lips met for a brief peck. They went back for a deeper kiss after they swallowed their pocky. Once they stopped, they looked at each other, saw that they both were blushing, and smiled.

After a little more time at the fair, Sumire stretched. “Ah! Ready to head out?”

“Yeah,” Ren answered. “This was great.” She smiled and snuck a kiss on Sumire’s cheek. She backed away sheepishly. “So, I’ll see you later?”

Sumire was still flustered by the kiss. “Huh? Oh, wait!” Ren did. “My dad’s coming here to pick me up soon. Maybe he can give you a ride too.”

“Oh. Yeah. OK,” Ren said, unsure of what to say.

Sumire saw a car pull up. “Oh, there he is now. Let’s go.” She grabbed Ren and dragged her to the car.

They got into the back seat. “Hi kids,” Shinichi said.

“Hi dad!” Sumire said.

“So, how was your date?”

“Great!” Sumire replied.

“What date?” Ren said at the same time.

Sumire and Ren gave each other a confused look. “...The date we just went on…”

“Oh, yeah…” Ren said, nervously. “With…?”

Sumire was more confused. “Each other,” Sumire answered.

Ren was now more confused. “And we’re just telling your dad?”

“I told my parents when we started going out,” Sumire explained.

“Oh…” Ren said. Both girls were a little uncomfortable.

Shinichi noticed this. “I think you two might need to talk. Why don’t you come over for a bit?”

“Huh?” they both said.

“Oh, uh, OK, I guess…” Ren said. Shinichi smiled and nodded and drove on.

As they were driving, something occurred to Sumire. “Oh, um, if Ren’s going to be spending some more time with us, um, could we go shopping for a kimono for her? She doesn’t have one in Tokyo.”

“That sounds like a great idea,” Shinichi said. He adjusted his course to go kimono shopping for Ren.

In the store, Ren was trying one on, while Sumire and Shinichi were waiting for her. She emerged wearing a black kimono with red, blue, and pink flourishes. She was a little embarrassed. “What do you think?”

Sumire was too stunned to answer. “I think it looks good on you,” Shinichi answered. “What do you think, Sumire?”

“Huh?” Sumire gasped. “Oh, yeah. It looks amazing on you.”

Ren smiled back. “I think I’ll get this one,” she told the clerk.

At the checkout, Ren was fishing through her purse, when Shinichi got out his card. “It’s OK, I got it.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

Shinichi nodded. “It’s the least I can do.” He finished paying, and they left.

When they got back to the Yoshizawa household, Akane greeted them. “Welcome back.” She saw that Ren was among their ranks. “Oh? Is this the Ren-chan I’ve heard so much about?”

“MOM,” Sumire said, embarrassed. Ren was also rather embarrassed.

Shinichi stepped in. “These two have some talking to do,” he said. “Why don’t we start preparing dinner?”

Akane noted her husband’s serious tone. “Oh, of course. The two of them went to the kitchen.

Ren and Sumire awkwardly went into the living room to have a seat. After a few minutes of silence, Sumire said “I’m sorry,” catching Ren off guard. “I just thought…I don’t know…”

Ren looked at Sumire. She couldn’t stay mad. She smiled and shook her head. “It’s fine. I’m just not used to other people knowing.”

Sumire looked at Ren. “You kissed me in front of all our friends…”

“Right, but…” Ren said. She sighed. “I know them. I trust them.”

“But not my parents?” Sumire said.

“It’s not that,” Ren went on. “I don’t even trust MY parents with that information. Look, when rumors like that got to my parents, they brushed it off as categorically false. I-I don’t-I’m afraid to see what they’ll do if they find out they’re true.”

Sumire looked at her more intently. “And everyone back in my home town who did find out, well… they weren’t the nicest to me about it… So I don’t usually go around telling people that.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” Ren said. “When you asked me out, I wanted to go to the school roof and shout it to the Heavens. But I’m always so afraid.”

Sumire was a little stunned. “I didn’t take you as someone who could be afraid…”

Ren chuckled. “I usually put on a brave face, but, yeah. I get afraid or worried all the time. I’m a little jealous that you’re able to tell your parents.”

Sumire chuckled. “Well, I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses.” She looked at Ren. “I’m sorry again for causing you such discomfort.”

Ren smiled back at her. “It’s alright. I just wasn’t expecting something like that… Your parents are really nice.”

Sumire could tell the slight distress in Ren’s voice. She grabbed her hand. “Hey.” Ren looked back up at her. “If you want, we can tell your parents together.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

Sumire nodded. “Together, we can do anything.”

Ren’s face turned cherry red. “Thank you.” Sumire slightly blushed back. Ren pulled her in for a hug.

“Well, it looks like you’ve worked everything out,” Shinichi said. The girls broke their hug and looked at him. “Come on. Dinner’s almost ready.” They nodded and got up.

Ren sat down while Sumire went upstairs. “I’m going to go change quick!” A few minutes later, Sumire came back down in her casual clothes, and sat next to Ren.

“Just in time,” Akane said. She started handing out plates. “Itadakimasu!’

“Itadakimasu!” everyone else said. They began eating.

“So, how’s the food?” Akane asked.

“It’s great!” Ren exclaimed. “Thank you so much!”

“Ah ha. Well, thank you for enjoying it so much,” Akane replied. They spent the rest of dinner talking about school, their friends, and Sumire’s recent performance.

Eventually, Shinichi decided to take Ren home. Sumire rode with them. As they dropped Ren off, Shinichi said “Well, goodbye.”

Ren nodded. “Goodbye, Mr. Yoshizawa.”

Sumire crawled to the window. “Wait!” she called out. Ren walked to the window. Sumire pulled Ren’s upper arm in for a kiss. She let go, while Ren stood still. “Bye!’ she said as the car drove off.

Ren composed herself, and shouted “Bye!’ back at the car. She walked toward LeBlanc, purple cat in one hand, kimono in the other, and a smile on her face.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 6

As she entered, Sojiro said “You’re back. How was the fair?”

“Oh, it was great,” Ren said. She set her things on a table. She decided now was the time to throw caution to the wind. “Listen, um, I wasn’t there with…just a friend.”

“I gathered that,” Sojiro said.

Ren was a little surprised, but needed to press on. “I was there with…my girlfriend…”

Sojiro looked at her. “Oh.”

Ren was puzzled. “You’re…not mad?”

“It’s no skin off my back,” Sojiro said. “Besides, even if I did think of it as a sin, I’ve done plenty worse, believe me.”

Ren rushed around the counter and gave Sojiro a hug. “Thank you Sojiro!” she said.

Sojiro was a little surprised, but hugged her back. “Heh. You’re safe here kid. It’s going to be alright.” They stayed in that embrace for a little while longer.

After that, Sojiro left, and Ren went upstairs. She got into her pajamas, and layed down on her bed. She took out the purple cat that Sumire won her, smiled at it, and cuddled it to sleep.

Chapter 84: The Storm Before The Bigger Storm

Chapter Text

Ren finished putting on her new kimono. “All clear!” she called out.

Morgana turned around, and was stunned. “Woah! You look fantastic!”

Ren blushed a little. “Thanks.” She paused for a second. “Are you sure you wanna go see the fireworks?”

Morgana was confused. “What makes you think I wouldn’t?”

“Well, I mean, we don’t want to upset your kitty ears now, do we?” Ren retorted.

“I’m not a cat,” Morgana shot back.

“But your ears are,” Ren said. Morgana pouted. “I just want to make sure you’ll be OK, and it’s not too loud for you.”

“I’ll be fine,” Morgana said.

Ren smiled. “Well then, let’s go. We don’t want to be late.” She picked up a red tote bag and Morgana jumped in it. They headed downstairs. “Hey Sojiro. I’m going to see the fireworks.”

Sojiro looked up. “With your girlfriend?”

“Well, she’ll be there,” Ren admitted, “but this is more of a friends thing.”

“Gotcha,” Sojiro said. “That kimono looks good on you, by the way.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.” She left.

When she got there, she saw Ryuji, Yusuke, and Jose at their meeting spot.

Yusuke saw her. “Ah, hello Ren. Nice kimono.”

“Hey Yusuke. Same to you. You too Jose,” Ren replied.

“Thank you,” Jose said.

Ren noticed Ryuji looking a little down. “Why is Ryuji frustrated?”

Ryuji looked at her, slightly embarrassed. “Oh, uh, well,” he began. “These two girls came up to us, and let me tell you, they were gorgeous. But then Yusuke here scared them off.”

“I see…” Ren responded.

“We came to be with friends,” Yusuke insisted, “not run off with some girls we’ve just met.”

“I wasn’t thinking of ditching everyone,” Ryuji countered. “I was thinking maybe they could have joined us.”

“I fear that might have been an even worse option,” Yusuke retorted.

“Yeah, they didn’t seem too keen on me being in the picture,” Jose lamented.

“I hear that,” Ryuji said.

“I’m not sure you do,” Morgana said, popping out of the bag.

“Oh, hey Morgana,” Jose said.

Ryuji groaned. “I swear, they came over and just admired Yusuke. They barely gave me the time of day. That is, until he opened his mouth.”

“I think that’s for the best,” Yusuke said. “They seemed incredibly shallow. I don’t think you’d be happy to date them.”

“You don’t know that,” Ryuji said, rejecting the premise. “For all you know, one of them could have been my dream girl.”

“Who are we talking about here?” Ann said sternly. The group turned to see Ann arriving with Makoto, both in kimonos.

“Oh, uh, no one,” Ryuji said nervously.

“See, even you admit they’re no one,” Yusuke said.

“Not now,” Ryuji replied.

“What?” Makoto said, confused.

“There were these two women that came by,” Jose said. “They really liked how Yusuke looked, and Ryuji was hoping to use that to become one of their boyfriends. But Yusuke shooed them away before anything could happen.”

“J-Jose!” Ryuji panicked.

“Is that so?” Ann said, glaring at Ryuji.

“I wasn’t gonna ditch you!”said Ryuji, defending himself.

“I don’t think that’s the issue here,” Ren said.

“Lady Ann, I’d never fall for the wiles of some shallow woman!” Morgana said.

“I don’t think they’d fall for your charms either,” Makoto gently responded

“Mmmmmmm,” Morgana groaned.

“I dunno,” Jose said. “Girls really like cats, and Morgana looks like a really adorable kitty.”

“Thanks…” Morgana said, sarcastically. Ren giggled.

“What are we talking about?” Sumire said, arriving on the scene.

“Nothin!” Ryuji shouted.

“Apparently, Ryuji wanted to get with one of two girls hitting on Yusuke,” Makoto informed her.

“Oh,” Sumire reacted.

“Ugh,” Ryuji groaned.

“So, what about the other one?” Sumire asked.

Everyone looked at Ryuji. “Well?” Ann asked.

“What do you mean?” Ryuji asked back. “We’d split it. One girl for me, one for Yusuke.”

“Oh. I guess that makes sense,” Sumire said. “I just don’t see Yusuke as the type of person to pick up random girls on the street.”

“Well, he wasn't,” Jose informed her. “He sent them away with vigor.”

“That makes sense,” Sumire said.

“I merely informed them that we were going with friends,” Yusuke said.

“You could have gotten their numbers at least,” Ryuji pouted.

“I don’t see how that would have helped you,” Yusuke said.

“I mean, yeah…” Ryuji admitted. “But you could have done it for yourself at least.”

“Pass,” Yusuke said firmly. “Like I said, they seem very shallow. I know I wouldn’t enjoy my time with them.”

“Come on, where’s your manly spirit?” Ryuji asked.

“I think Yusuke-senpai just demonstrated it,” Sumire said. They looked at her, causing her to be slightly embarrassed. “Um, what I mean is, Yusuke-senpai is decisive, and knows what he wants. That seems very manly, don’t you think?”

Ann nodded. “Well said, Sumire-chan!”

“Very true,” Makoto chimed in. “I think SOME people could learn from that.” She shot a look at Ryuji.

Ryuji was feeling the pressure. “OK, OK. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to ruin this fun outing with friends.”

Jose seemed confused. “I don’t think you need to apo-”

“Let him,” Ren said. “He needs to do this to grow.”

“Hmmmm,” Jose said, pondering it. “Very well.”

“Well, now that this has been thoroughly discussed,” Yusuke said, “why don’t we go find a good spot to view the fireworks?” Everyone else nodded, and then they started to move.

While they were walking, Ann said “By the way, everyone’s kimonos look REALLY good.”

Sumire giggled. “Why thank you, Ann-senpai. Yours looks really cute as well.”

“Aw, thank you Sumire-chan!” Ann replied.

“Yours looks really well taken care of, Ren,” Makoto noted.

“Oh, uh, well,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed. “I actually got this yesterday.”

“Oh,” Makoto responded.

“I didn’t think to bring a kimono when coming to Tokyo,” Ren explained. “I…wasn’t expecting I’d have friends to do anything like this.”

Makoto processed that for a moment. “Hm. I get it.”

“You do?” Ren asked.

Makoto nodded. “Before all this stuff with the Phantom Thieves, a lot of people pushed me aside as just ‘the class president’. I wasn’t sure I’d have many people to do this kind of thing with either.”

“I think a lot of us feel like that,” Sumire said. Ren pulled Sumire in for a side hug as they walked. “Thanks.”

Jose looked at Ryuji. “So, Ryuji. How come you’re the only one not wearing a kimono?”

“Uh…” Ryuji said, caught unaware by the question. “I dunno. It’s kind of more a thing girls do. You get away with it because, well, you’re a kid.”

“So, why is Yusuke wearing one?” Jose asked.

“Beats me,” Ryuji said.

“People traditionally wear kimonos to festivals, do they not?” Yusuke explained.

“Um, like I said, it’s something that girls do more…” Ryuji responded.

“Although, you have to admit, he pulls it off quite well,” Makoto noted.

“Well, I mean, yeah…” Ryuji admitted.

“Nya ha,” Morgana chuckled. “Are you jealous of how good Yusuke looks in a kimono?”

“Hell no, you stupid cat!” Ryuji snapped. “I mean, I think we can all agree, Yusuke would look good in anything, right?”

Sumire looked Yusuke over. “I’d have to agree.”

“Yeah,” Ren agreed.

“Ditto,” Makoto concurred.

Ryuji went back to facing off against Morgana. “Besides, you’re not wearing a kimono either.”

“Heh heh heh,” Morgana laughed. “THAT’S because they don’t make kimonos for cat bodies.”

“Actually, I think the place we went to yesterday DID have some kitty kimonos,” Ren said. “Right Sumire?” she subtly winked at her.

Sumire understood. “Oh yeah. They did. They had some really cute ones too.”

“What do ya say?” Ren asked. “Would you like us to get you one?”

Morgana tensed up. “...Pass,” he answered.

“HA!” Ryuji laughed.

“Are you saying you would?” Makoto asked.

“What?” Ryuji said, taken aback.

“Ooo, I’ve got one that would be PERFECT for you, Ryuji!” Ann said.

Ryuji was sweating. He clenched his fist. “Fine. I’ll do it!”

“Huh? Really?” Ann said.

“Yeah,” Ryuji answered.

“...Um, we were just joking…I think…” Ann admitted.

“Oh,” Ryuji said, face now redder than a strawberry.

“BUT we know we can get him to do it in the future,” Sumire pointed out.

“True,” Ann remarked.

“Wait, huh?!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“I eagerly await to see it,” Yusuke said.

“I’m sure you’ll look good, Ryuji,” Jose said. Ryuji groaned while everyone else had a chuckle. Ryuji cheered up and chuckled for a bit as well. They continued on their way.

They eventually found a place in the crowd. They chatted for a bit while waiting for the show to begin. Eventually, the time came, and the crowd went silent. All eyes were on the sky. Everyone was waiting with bated breath for the show to begin.

However, before the show had a chance to begin, a raindrop landed on Ren’s face. A few more raindrops fell. Then it began to pour, taking everyone by surprise. “ATTENTION!” an alert rang out. “DUE TO AN UNEXPECTED RAINSTORM, THE FIREWORKS FESTIVAL HAS BEEN CANCELED! PLEASE EVACUATE THE AREA IN AN ORDERLY FASHION!”

The crowd began to disperse. The thieves managed to take refuge in a local convenience store. “Dammit!” Ryuji said. “I can’t believe we got rained out!”

Ren looked over herself. “I just got this kimono.”

“It’ll be alright, Ren…” Sumire said.

Ren smiled. “I know, but it’s just…”

“Yeah…” Sumire said.

“I don’t get it,” Yusuke said. “I was told we’d have clear skies tonight.”

“Well, weather is a cruel mistress sometimes,” Jose said.

“Agreed,” Yusuke said.

“So, do we just wait until the storm passes?” Ann asked.

“I guess,” Makoto said. “Unless we wanna buy some umbrellas to get us back?” She glanced outside. “Huh?” She saw a girl in a pink kimono being guided by a staff holding umbrellas for her into a limo. She looked forlorn, but who wouldn’t be. She got out her phone, smiled, chuckled, and then sent a message. That’s all Makoto saw before the limo took off.

“What’s up?” Morgana asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh, I thought I recognized someone.”

“Hey, did you see?” a store patron said. The thieves turned their attention to the conversation.

“See what?” their friend asked.

“Medjed totally called out the Phantom Thieves,” the first person said.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked. They got out their phones and looked online.

“Hmm, it looks like this was posted today,” Sumire said.

“But it’s been seen a lot,” Ren said

“Um, a lot of this is in English,” Ryuji lamented

“I’ve got it,” Ann said. “‘To the Phantom Thieves causing an uproar in Japan: Do not speak of your false justice. We do not need the spread of such falsehood. We are the true executors of justice. However, we are magnanimous. We will give you an opportunity to repent your ways. If you agree to a change of heart, we will accept you as our own. If you reject our offer, the hammer of justice will find you. We are Medjed. We are unseen. We will eliminate evil.’”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked again. “That’s insane.”

“I agree,” Yusuke said.

“But what can we do?” Jose asked. “We aren’t going to give in, right?”

“Of course not!” Morgana rallied. “But this is troubling.”

“I don’t think they expect us to make a decision right away,” Makoto said. “But we do need to figure out how to respond.”

“We should also look into Medjed,” Ren instructed. “Let’s see if we can’t figure anything out.”

“Agreed,” Makoto said.

Yusuke looked outside. “Hmm. It looks like the rain has settled down.” They all looked outside. Sure enough, while it was still raining, it wasn’t as heavy. “Do you think now’s a good chance to head back?”

“I dunno,” Ann said.

“This might be our best chance for a while,” Makoto said. “Who knows if the rain will pick up again soon.”

“True…” Ann admitted.

“Does everyone live close to a station?” Ren asked. “I don’t want us to get on the train only for the rain to pick up and leave any of us stranded there.

“I mean, I was just going to call my dad once we got to the station,” Sumire said. “He could probably give you a ride again.”

“Oh, I don’t want to be a bother,” said a slightly embarrassed Ren.

“You won’t be a bother,” Sumire said. “He’d love to have you again.

“Well, if you insist,” Ren said

“I think I can get a ride from my parents as well,” Ann said.

“Oh, do you think they could give me a ride too?” Ryuji asked.

“Uh, I guess so,” Ann said.

“I’m fairly close to a station,” Makoto said.

“As is Kosei,” Yusuke informed them. “Jose and I can get back with ease.” Jose nodded.

“Well, it looks like we have a plan,” Ren said. “Are you ready?” They all nodded. “Then TO THE STATION!” They carefully walked outside and made a break for the station. Once there, they managed to get home safely.

As they were drying off, they were also pondering this new threat. They made themselves public, but at the same time, remained anonymous. This was certainly going to be tricky, and unlike anything they’ve tackled so far. Yet, they believed they could do it. They just weren’t sure how at the moment.

Chapter 85: Reevaluation

Chapter Text

It was the last week of school before Summer break, and just like the season itself, a new threat was on the horizon. Whenever they could, the Phantom Thieves were trying to study up on Medjed. However, it was proving to be a bit more difficult than anticipated. At lunch, the Thieves messaged each other.

Ren: Just curious, have we found anything yet?

Ann: Well, we just started…

Ryuji: And a lot of the articles I find have a bunch of English in them.

Sumire: I’d ask some people at the TV station my father works at,

Sumire: but they’re still on edge from when that reporter came by.

Ren: You alright about that?

Sumire: I believe so.

Sumire: We did it to help stop Madarame after all.

Sumire: So I think it’s a net positive.

Ren smiled.

Yusuke: I believe I have some information.

Ryuji: Oh?

Yusuke: Medjed is a minor deity, appearing in The Book of the Dead.

Yusuke: His main powers include shooting light from his eyes, turning invisible, and breathing fire.

Yusuke: Interestingly, while most Egyptian deities are portrayed as facing sideways, Medjed faces forward.

Makoto: Wait, this is information on Medjed the Egyptian god. Not the hacking group.

Yusuke: …I see…

Jose: A lot of books in Kosei’s library are based around a wide swath of information to help make us more well-rounded as artists.

Jose: So I don’t blame Yusuke.

Yusuke: Thank you, Jose.

Jose: Although, looking through some of those same materials, one of the biggest sources on Medjed is The Greenfield Papyrus, which was exhibited in Japan in 2012, and became something of a sensation.

Ann: Oh yeah, I remember that.

Ryuji: So, how does that help us?

Jose: I figured if we had a time frame for when Medjed started, we could limit our search that way.

Makoto: While that is smart thinking, like you said, it became a sensation.

Makoto: It’s like trying to find someone when all you have to go off of is that they like Soreamon.

Ren: Although, I do think this was somewhat helpful.

Ren: If we find any other evidence, we can use this to fill in some blanks.

Jose: Thank you, Ren.

Sumire: Well, I’m sure we’ll figure something out.

Sumire: All we have to do is keep trying.

Ann: Right, but how long do we have?

Yusuke: I imagine we have some time.

Yusuke: They said they were magnanimous.

Ryuji: Um, what does that mean?

Ryuji: I get that the beginning of it has something to do with magnets…

Makoto: No.

Makoto: It means “generous or forgiving, especially towards rivals or those of a lower status than you.”

Ryuji: Then why not just say that?

Ren: Flair for the dramatic.

Ryuji: But we don’t do that.

Yusuke: You seriously underestimate how much we change your original drabbles into the calling cards we send.

Ryuji: For real?!

Makoto: Well, let’s keep working.

Makoto: I’m sure we can figure it out sooner or later.

Ren: Or the opportunity will present itself.

Ren: We can’t rule out Eris trying to pull something here either.

Ann: How do you figure?

Ren: An unknown enemy that’s hard to track. That sounds right up Eris’ ally.

Ann: Gotcha.

Sumire: I’m sure we can do it!

Ren: Yeah!

They put their phones away and finished their lunch.

After school, Ren got a message from Yusuke.

Yusuke: I know we’re supposed to be looking for information on Medjed.

Yusuke: But today is the art exhibition where I’m showing off the painting I showed you in public.

Yusuke: I put this up for submission a while ago.

Yusuke: Would you mind coming with me?

Ren: Of course.

Yusuke: Great!

Yusuke: Shall we?

They met up and headed to the exhibition.

At the exhibition, Yusuke and Ren were staying close to “The Garden of Madness” to see how people would react. “Thank you for doing this with me,” Yusuke said.

“Of course,” Ren said.

Yusuke was alerted. “Look, here come some people now.” Ren turned towards the painting

A couple walked up to the painting. “Oh my! What’s this?” one of them said.

“It’s…something alright?” the other one said.

“It’s a bit scary, don’t you think?”

“Maybe that’s the point?”

“Let’s go look at some other art.” The couple nodded and left.

“How rude!” Yusuke said. “They didn’t even try to understand it.”

“Just be patient,” Ren informed him. “I’m sure someone will get it.”

“Hm, you’re right,” Yusuke said, calming down. “They did sound like they didn’t have the keenest eye for art.” They saw a wise-looking man come over. “Ah, he seems to know what he’s talking about.”

The man looked over the piece. “Hmmmm. Well, they tried, I’ll give them that.” Yusuke was disheartened. “But…it feels lacking.”

Yusuke could no longer hold back. “How dare you!” he said, confronting the man.

“Ah, is this your painting?” the man said, unphased by Yusuke’s assault. “Well, I can see why it was accepted. The stroke work, color choice, and general composition are all masterful. However, it feels both shallow and aggressive.”

“You criticize it, yet it seems you understand the painting,” Yusuke shot back. “It portrays a shallow and aggressive culture. All in the same space, yet only looking out for themselves.”

“Hmmm,” the man said. “Forgive me. When I say ‘shallow and aggressive” I mean your portrayal of such ideas.” Yusuke was confused. “Perhaps it comes from you being still young, but this has yet to be fully developed as a concept. The painting tells me what it is certainly, but it doesn’t tell me the bigger idea behind it.”

“Huh?” Yusuke said, being surprised.

“Can you tell me why the culture is shallow and aggressive?” the man asked.

“Well…” Yusuke said, floundering.

The man sighed. “I thought so. Even art that depicts shocking or unsettling things should still have heart to it.” Yusuke was upset and the man could see that. “You have potential kid. I think you just need to keep working on developing your ideas. Take care.” He walked off.

Ren walked up to Yusuke. “Ah, don’t let him get you down,” she said, trying to cheer him up.

“But he is right though,” Yusuke admitted. “Looking at it now, I only drew what I saw; Not how I felt about it, or my reaction to it. I thought it could stand on its own, but now I realize I’ve failed as an artist.”

“Well, you didn’t fail…” Ren said. “He said he liked your craftsmanship. Maybe you just need to work on it.”

“Maybe, but how will I know I’ll get anywhere?” Yusuke asked.

“Heh heh,” Ren chuckled. Yusuke looked at her in horror. “Sorry. But I once had the same thought.”

“Really?” Yusuke asked.

Ren nodded. “When I first came to Tokyo, I had no friends. I thought my arrest record would color people’s impressions of me. And if not that, I figured I’d get a repeat of what happened where I grew up. But look at me now. I have a lot of friends, I’m more outgoing, and I even have a girlfriend, something I once thought impossible. So I’m sure you can get to where you want to as well.”

Yusuke was in awe. “Hm. Thanks. You know, I could learn something from you after all. If you wouldn’t mind, would you perhaps accompany me on future outings to improve my art?”

Ren chuckled. “I wouldn’t trade that for the world.”

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 3

They spent a little more time at the exhibition and then left.

That evening, Ren felt like she could use a little boost in her strategic thinking, so she messaged Hifumi.

Ren: Hey, can I come practice with you tonight?

Hifumi: Of course.

Ren: Thank you.

Ren: I’ll see you there.

She hopped on a train and went to the Church in Kanda.

When she got there, she found Hifumi in her usual spot, shogi board and all. She walked over. “Are you ready?” Hifumi asked.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Ren said.

“Good,” Hifumi said. “Then let’s begin.” They proceeded to play more shogi. It was just as intensive as last time, and just like last time, Hifumi won decisively. “Hmmm, you’re getting better.”

“Thanks,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed. “Say, um, do you think if I adopted your playstyle, I’d do better?”

“Huh?” Hifumi said, slightly embarrassed and confused. “What do you mean?”

“Oh, well, uh, like how you call out your attacks and stuff,” Ren explained.

“Oh…that…” Hifumi said, getting a little more flustered. “It’s…just a silly habit I developed when playing. I…like to assume the role of a queen in control of a kingdom.”

“Hm,” Ren grunted, intrigued.

“Most people I play against think it’s weird,” Hifumi explained. “And to some extent, I do as well.”

“Well, I like it,” Ren countered, taking Hifumi by surprise. “I think it’s quite charming.”

Hifumi smiled lightly, and then went back to her usual expression. “Maybe you should tell that to my mom…” Ren was puzzled. “My mom’s been pushing me to become more of a starlet. For starters, I’m doing a photoshoot soon.”

“And you don’t want that?” Ren asked.

“Well…not necessarily…” Hifumi admitted. “I mean, sometimes it feels nice, but it feels like too much. I want to focus on my shogi skills, but it feels like she wants to pull me all over the place.”

“Hm. That does sound difficult,” Ren agreed.

“Which is why I come here to practice,” Hifumi continued. “I met the priest here while playing shogi at a charity event, and he likes to play too. He’s my usual opponent here whenever he’s not too busy. So, what I’m trying to say is thank you. I know we haven’t done this often, but it helps clear my head.”

Ren smiled at her. “What are friends for?”

Hifumi giggled. “You said that when you brought me along to your friend's gymnastic performance too.”

“Well, it remains true,” Ren said.

“Of course,” Hifumi said. “I can’t lose sight of such facts.”

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 2

The two of them left to go home for the night.

Chapter 86: A Rock and A Hard Place

Notes:

So, just to keep you updated, I'm probably going pump out chapters for a bit for reasons that will become apparent later. It's not anything dramatic, it's just a personal choice I'm making. But man, am I excited for this. Enjoy.

Chapter Text

On Wednesday, Sae was once again called to her boss’s office. “You wanted to see me sir?”

“Yes,” the director said. “Have a seat.” Sae did just that. “As you are aware by now, Medjed has called out the Phantom Thieves.”

“Right,” Sae replied.

“Since we’re investigating both of them, our office has been bombarded with questions,” the director informed her. “We’re doing the best we can to deal with everything. However, I want to hear what you think of this proverbial clash of the titans.”

“Pardon me?” Sae inquired.

“Well, since you’ve been investigating the Phantom Thieves,” the director began asking, “what do you think our next move should be?”

Sae thought about this. She smirked. “Nothing.”

“I beg your pardon?” the director asked back.

“Think about it,” Sae instructed. “We’re investigating both of these groups. Both of them remain out of reach. Yet they’re going against each other. Neither group is willing to give up so easily. I feel that at the end of this, one group will seriously hinder the other. We’ll either get the Phantom Thieves served to us on a platter, or a Medjed that will be shut down, at least for a while. I think we just need to wait and reap the benefits of this little war.”

“My, how devious,” the director replied. “Do you really think it’ll work out like that though?”

“From my understanding of the Phantom Thieves,” Sae explained, “they perceive themselves as harbingers of justice and defenders of the innocent. They won’t risk anything bad happening to the public. So either they will devise a way to counter Medjed, or they will offer themselves to protect humanity.”

“I see. Thank you for your time,” the director said. “You may get back to your investigations.” Sae nodded, stood up, bowed, and left. After she was gone, the director said “Did you catch that?”

“Of course,” said a voice coming through the phone.

“Perhaps Medjed should raise the stakes,” the director said.

“Already working on it,” the voice said.

Meanwhile, the Phantom Thieves were on day two of trying to figure out what to do about Medjed. While they could figure out bits and pieces, nothing concrete was coming into place. It was frustrating, but they weren’t willing to give up.

After school, Ren was just about to get up from her desk,when she got a message. She checked her phone, only to see that it was from an unknown sender.

???: Hello?

Ren: Who is this?

???: …

???: …You may call me “Alibaba”.

Ren: Well, “Alibaba”, what do you want?

???: Correct me if I’m wrong,

???: But I am speaking with the leader of the Phantom Thieves, right?

Ren: What?

Ren: You must be mistaken.

???: Hm.

???: Stubborn, are we?

???: But I happen to know that you are indeed the leader of the Phantom Thieves.

Ren: Well, if you’re so confident, what are you going to do about it?

???: I’m here to help.

???: You want this Medjed problem sorted out, right?

???: I can do that.

???: But I need you to do something for me in return.

Ren: And what would that be?

???: Why, to steal someone’s heart of course.

???: Why else would I call upon the Phantom Thieves?

Ren: Fair point.

???: You don’t need to give me an answer now.

???: But I will expect one soon.

???: Until we meet again.

Ren tried to message back, but the conversation was deleted. “Huh…that’s…weird…”

Morgana popped out slightly. “Hey, do you think we should talk to everyone about this?” Ren nodded, and proceeded to message the group.

Ren: Emergency meeting.

Ryuji: Wha?!

Ann: Huh?!

Mkoto: What for?

Ren: We need to discuss something.

Yusuke: This sounds urgent.

Ren: It is.

Jose: Where should we meet though?

Sumire: I think our out in the open place is a no go anymore.

Makoto: Yeah, especially now that Medjed is calling us out.

Ren: Why don’t we do it at my place?

Ryuji: Good thinking.

Ren: Yusuke, Jose, do you remember where to go, or do you want help?

Jose: We remember.

Yusuke: Besides, I think it’ll be less suspicious.

Ren: Very well.

Ren: Let’s head out!

They put their phones away and headed over to LeBlanc.

They basically arrived at the same time. When they walked, Sojiro was surprised by the crowd. “Hey,” Ren said. “We’re here to discuss our plans for the summer.”

“I see…” Sojiro said. “Who’s this?”

“Oh, um, I am Makoto Niijima, uh, sir,” Makoto said, taken aback a little.

“Niijima, huh…” Sojiro whispered under his breath. “No need to be so formal. You can call me Sojiro. Or boss, if you prefer.”

“Oh. Thank you, boss,” Makoto said.

“We’ll head upstairs now,” Ren informed him. Sojiro nodded. They headed upstairs

As they entered Ren’s room, Yusuke remarked “It’s been a bit since I’ve been here, but it’s as welcoming as ever.”

“I’m surprised at how well organized this is,” Makoto noted.

Everyone started getting settled. “So, what’s the emergency?” Ann asked.

“Right,” Ren said, sitting down. “So, I got a message from someone.”

“Who?” Ryuji asked.

“They called themselves ‘Alibaba’,” Ren informed them. “They somehow knew I was the head of the Phantom Thieves.”

“FOR REAL?!” Ryuji shouted.

“Keep it down!” Ann shushed him. “But, yeah, that is…”

“I’ll say…” Makoto said.

“So, why are they talking to you?” Jose asked.

“That’s a good question,” Sumire responded.

Ren sighed in a serious tone. “They offered to help us with Medjed…”

“Well that sounds cool,” Ryuji interrupted.

“...provided we steal someone’s heart for them,” Morgana finished.

“Oh,” Ryuji reacted.

“Kind of jumped the gun there,” Yusuke said.

“Shut up,” Ryuji moaned.

“What do you think we should do?” Ren asked.

“Hmmm, well, is that all they said?” Ann replied. Ren nodded. “I see… Well, it’d be nice to get some help, but…”

“Ann’s right,” Makoto said. “We don’t know much about this ‘Alibaba’ person.”

“Well, I’m assuming they’re an exceptional hacker,” Ren said. “They hid their ID and erased the messages from my phone. So I think they could help us with our Medjed problem.”

“Woah,” Makoto said. “That is impressive.”

“Yeah, scary too…” Morgana noted

“But how can we trust what this ‘Alibaba’ has to say?” Jose asked.

“That’s the thing that has me worried,” Sumire said. “What if the person whose heart they want changed, they want to change it for the worse?”

“Hmmm,” Ren thought. “Well, this is the best shot we have at countering Medjed so far. I feel like we should at least hear them out.”

“But, uh, how do we get in contact with them?” Ryuji asked.

“I think they’ll contact me again,” Ren said. “I’m just not sure when.”

“So, is that it then?” Yusuke said.

“Well, we could do some actual summer planning,” Ren replied.

“Oo, I know I wanna go to the beach sometime,” Ryuji said. “Maybe even go camping.”

“Yeah, I’m not sure how good of an idea it is to leave town at the moment,” Morgana shot back.

“While it does sound fun, I have to agree with Morgana,” Makoto said. “As long as this Medjed threat is live, I don’t think the Phantom Thieves leaving is a smart idea.”

“Beides, I don’t know how far out from Tokyo I can leave without a guide of some sort,” Ren said. “I don’t want to violate parole.”

“Ah, shit,” Ryuji said. “Alright, next year! Road trip!”

“I like the sound of that!” Sumire said.

“I’m gonna be in college,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, you’d probably need it the most,” Ryuji shot back.

“Well, I guess I can’t argue that…” Makoto said.

“The beach does sound like a fun idea though,” Ann said. She looked at Ryuji. “Also, this summer, I wanna finally do it!”

Everyone was startled, except for Yusuke, who was stone faced, and Jose, who was confused. “Oh, you think we can?” Ryuji asked.

“Totally!” Ann exclaimed.

“Um, do what, exactly?” Makoto asked.

“Huh? Oh right, you don’t know,” Ryuji said. “Whenever we go to the arcade together, Ann and I play this dancing game together.”

“Yeah, and we’re really good,” Ann added.

“Anyway, they have this mode where two people can compete together for a combined high score,” Ryuji continued. “And we’ve been trying to get on the leaderboard for quite some time.”

“We haven’t been able to do it so far, but I think this summer, we may have a chance,” Ann finished.

“Oh… I see…” Makoto said, slightly embarrassed, as was everyone else, except again for Yusuke and Jose.

“That was…” Morgana said.

“I mean, aside from that, I think staying in the city is a good idea as well,” Ann said. “This year has been hectic enough as is. I don’t think going out of town will be as relaxing as it usually is.”

“I guess you’re right,” Ryuji admitted.

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “I could do with some relaxation.”

“Well, once this Medjed thing is settled, I know I can relax better,” Ren said.

“Oh, right…” Ryuji said.

“I’m sure we’ll get through it,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “Yeah. I’ll keep you guys updated I guess. Anything else?”

They hung out a little bit after, but pretty soon, people had to leave. After everyone else had left, Sumire was still there. “Well, I guess I should get going.” She stood up. “Bye.”

“Wait!” Ren called out, stopping Sumire in her tracks. “Um, well…”

What is it?” Sumire asked her.

Ren was struggling. “There is something else…” Sumire was slightly curious and confused. Ren sighed. “My parents are probably going to come visit this summer. So, I was wondering…”

Sumire blushed, smiled, and walked over to Ren. She gave her a kiss on the forehead. “You don’t need to ask. I’ll be there for you. Always.” Ren’s smile at that moment could not be controlled. Sumire smiled back. She headed down and waved goodbye. Ren waved back. Sumire finished leaving.

“My, what a heartwarming moment,” Eris said, jolting Ren out of it.

She turned to see Eris sitting on the couch. “What do you want?”

“Aw, sweetie, I figured that’d be obvious by now,” Eris retorted. Ren glared at her. “Although I take it your answer is still no.”

“It is,” Ren said, sternly.

Eris chuckled. “You really think this ‘Alibaba’ can help you? You don’t even know who they are. Or the skill level. You know who I am, and you know I can help you. As they say, better doing business with the devil you know than the devil you don’t.”

“Well, you’re still a devil,” Ren shot back. “And I don’t know if this ‘Alibaba’ is a devil.”

“Ooo, quick witted as always,” Eris replied. “Do you think this is going to get any easier? Do you think that you can continue to work miracles? Do you think you can stand up to those who oppose you fiercely? Who won’t stop until you're dead?”

“If this was easy, it wouldn’t be worth doing,” Ren replied. “And who are you to talk about those who oppose us? As far as we’re concerned, you’re Phantom Thief enemy number one!”

“Harsh…” Eris responded. “All I’m doing is trying to help you. I’ll give you everything you want, and all I’m asking for is unity.”

“My answer is still no,” Ren said.

Eris stood up furiously. “Don’t you get it?! You have to understand by now, there are forces conspiring to stop you for good. And that isn’t even their end goal. They won’t stop. They won't care if you die. Why should you care?”

“I’m not like them,” Ren answered. “Those monsters you speak of, I’m not like them.”

“Riiiiight, the ‘moralistic’ defense,” Eris said sarcastically. “Well, when those morals get you six feet under, what good will they be?”

“Do you think I’m the only one in this fight?” Ren countered. “Of course not. I’m not standing up to tyranny for my sake. I’m doing it for everyone.”

“Heh,” Eris laughed. “Why bother? Everyone won’t do it for you.”

“You keep telling me I don’t understand things, but you don’t understand that that’s what I’m fighting,” Ren said. “That inclination to ignore others, or turn on them. That’s my enemy. Not any one person.”

“Hm,” Eris grunted. “It appears that we’re still at an impasse. However, a time will come when we will understand each other.”

“I somehow doubt that,” Ren rebutted.

“He he, you say that now,” Eris said. She walked toward Ren. “But one day, when you’re in a situation where you're backed into a corner, and there’s no escape, I’ll be there. I’ll always be there. I’ll always be ready and willing.”

Hunger-Eris: Rank 4

Eris disappeared. Ren had tensed up during their conversation, and now, finally being able to relax, flopped down on her bed. Morgana jumped up and looked at her. “Are you OK?”

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“What happened?” Morgana asked.

“Ugh,” Ren grunted. “I don’t know why she needs to solo me out…” Morgana was confused. “Eris came back and talked to me.”

“Wait, really?!” Morgana said, surprised.

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“Grrrr, she fights dirty,” Morgana said.

Ren chuckled. “Thanks. I needed that.” They sat in silence for a bit. “Well, if we want to figure out what to do next, we gotta get a good night’s rest.” She stood up and walked over to get some pajamas. Morgana hopped up on the windowsill while Ren changed.

Ren sat back down on her bed. Morgana hopped back down. “Hey Morgana?” she asked. Morgana looked at her. “Do you think we can do it?”

“Of course,” Morgana said. “Who do you think you’re talking to?”

Ren smirked at that response. She scratched Morgana’s ears for a little bit. “Good night Morgana.” She got under the covers

“Good night,” Morgana said, curling up. While they were uncertain of what was to come, they had no doubt that they could face it together.

Chapter 87: The Tide Rises

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, during class, Ren got another message.

???: Have you come to a conclusion?

Ren: Hello “Alibaba”.

Ren: While we are enticed by your offer, we’re going to need some more information.

???: Like what?

Ren: Well, for starters, whose heart are we changing?

???: …

???: Futaba Sakura.

???: Is that enough?

Ren: And why are we changing her heart?

???: Why do you need to know that?

Ren: Well, we don't want anything bad to happen as a result.

Ren: If you’re up to no good, we’ll have to look elsewhere for help.

???: How?

???: You can’t stop Medjed without me.

Ren: We’d be willing to try.

???: …

???: Hm. Quite admirable.

???: You would be helping.

Ren: Anything else?

???: …

???: That’s it.

???: Do you have an answer?

Ren: We’d need to look into things a little more.

Ren: But this might be viable.

???: Make your decision quickly.

???: Medjed won’t hesitate to act.

Just like yesterday, the conversation was deleted. “Well, at least we have a name.” She focused back on class.

In a darkened room, a young girl put her phone down. “Come on, hurry Phantom Thieves…” she said, anxiously. She turned to her monitor, and refreshed the page. “WHAT?! Those jerks! Just…take my offer, Phantom Thieves!”

“Well well,” Eris said. “Wanting to be saved?”

The girl looked up at the figure that appeared in her room. “W-Who are you?!” she shrieked.

Eris chuckled. “I am someone who’s willing to help.”

“H-help?” the girl questioned. Eris nodded. “H-help how?”

“I will admit, my role will be limited,” Eris told her, “but my contribution will be monumental.”

“What do you mean?” the girl asked, scared, but curious.

“Well, you want to help the Phantom Thieves, right?” Eris asked. “And you already know how to stop Medjed.”

The girl was unsure. “...But-”

“You lack confidence,” Eris said. “And you want the Phantom Thieves to help you gain it back.” She pulled out an apple. “But I have all the confidence you need right here. You don’t need to wait for the Phantom Thieves.” The girl looked at the apple, still a bit unsure. “It’s all yours, Futaba Sakura.”

Futaba was still unsure. Her mind was saying “no”, and she usually trusted it. But something about this felt right to her. She wanted to get rid of the pain she was feeling, and this person was offering that to her. Whether it be this, or the Phantom Thieves, she didn’t care. She just wanted the pain to stop.

She walked over and grabbed the apple. She looked into it. The girl looking back at her was at her wit’s end. She took a solemn bite. She chewed on it for a bit, then she swallowed. She felt a rush of confidence. She grinned menacingly. “Pleasure doing business,” Eris said, as she disappeared. Futaba went back to her desk and began typing away.

Meanwhile, in LeBlanc, Sojiro felt a shudder. “Hmmmm. I’ve got a feeling something’s not right.” He looked at his restaurant. There were no customers currently. “I don’t think anyone will mind…” He began sending Ren a text.

Sojiro: Hey.

Sojiro: Something came up, and I’m closing the store early today.

Sojiro: Just to let you know.

Ren: Thanks.

Sojiro: Are you texting in class?

Ren: You’re texting at work.

Sojiro: …

Sojiro: I don’t have time for this, just make sure you don’t get caught, OK?

Ren: Roger!

Sojiro: Thanks.

He put his phone away and went back home.

He approached a door and gave it a knock. “Futaba! Are you OK in there?”

“Yeah,” she replied.

Sojiro was caught off guard. She hadn’t answered that quickly or loudly in a long time. “Well, OK, I guess.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the cafe?” Futaba asked.

“Well…” Sojiro couldn't say why he left. He didn’t entirely know himself. “My back was acting up. I’m taking the rest of the day off to…you know…soothe it…”

“OK Sojiro!” Futaba called out. Sojiro was still a bit concerned at this sudden change, but figured he couldn’t do anything about it. As he was leaving, Futaba called it again. “Hey, Sojiro.” Sojiro paused. “Thank you. For everything.”

Sojiro didn’t quite know how to feel about that. It sounded genuine, but something felt off about it. He nodded and said “You’re welcome.” He headed to his living room, sat in his chair, and turned on the TV. He wasn’t entirely relaxed, but he was as relaxed as he could be.

After school, Ren sent out a message.

Ren: I have some more info.

Ren: Also, we have free reign over the cafe today

Makoto: We need to meet.

Makoto: Medjed stepped up their game.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Ann: How?

Makoto: I’m not entirely sure.

Makoto: I just know they posted something.

Yusuke: I think we should go over it together.

Sumire: I agree.

Jose: We should hurry then.

Ren: Right.

They put their phones away and rushed to LeBlanc.

When they were all gathered, they took out their phones and looked up Medjed’s new message. “Ugh, it’s in English again!” Ryuji bemoaned.

“Um, I know this isn’t the most imperative thing,” Makoto said, “but um, did you need to do any make-up finals?”

“What?!” Ryuji said, taken aback. “I mean, some, but I did them already. Less than last year though, so it’s a step up!”

“OK…” Makoto said.

“Ahem! Getting back to the topic at hand,” Ann said. She began reading. “‘To the Phantom Thieves causing an uproar in Japan: We must apologize. We have failed to outline our demands properly. We will take the time now to fix that. If you don’t repent and come to our side, we shall unleash an attack on the Japanese economy that will show our justice. You have until the 21st of August to comply. We await your answer eagerly, Phantom Thieves. We are Medjed. We are unseen. We will eliminate evil.’”

“Do they end all their messages like that?” Yusuke said. “It seems a bit tacky.”

“It sounds like it’s their calling card,” Sumire said.

“Sooooo, what does this mean for us?” Jose asked.

“Well, we have a time limit now… Makoto said.

“It feels like they’re mocking us though,” Morgana added.

Ryuji slammed his fist on the table. “Dammit!”

After a bit of silence, Ren said “Well…it’s not all doom and gloom per se…”

“Oh right,” Sumire said. “You did say you had more info.”

Ren nodded. “‘Alibaba’ gave us a name.” She loaded up the Metaverse app. “Futaba Sakura.”

“Match found,” the phone said.

Ren gave her phone a puzzled look. “What is it?” Sumire asked. She looked at Ren’s phone. Just like the last three people they took down, the bottom line, which represented the distortion, was in white. “Somebody’s taking over already?!”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked. “But how?”

“Hold on, it gets more confusing,” Ren said.

“How is it MORE confusing?!” Ryuji asked. Everyone took out their phones to see for themselves. “Oh…”

“That’s…” Makoto said.

“...Odd…” Ann said.

“Huh,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“Hm?” Morgana peaked over. He saw that what was confusing people was that the second line was in black, but the first line was split. “Futaba” was in white, while “Sakura” was in black. “WHAT?! But how? Why?”

“I don’t know,” Ren answered. “But this is something.”

“But we don’t have anything else to go off of,” Yusuke said.

“And we don’t even have an inkling about who would be taking over,” Ann said.

“Do you think this ‘Alibaba’ is the crusader?” Sumire asked.

“If so, that presents a big problem, since we don’t know who they are,” Makoto answered.

“It’s not a bad guess though,” Jose said.

“Hang on,” Morgana said. “Isn’t Sojiro’s last name Sakura?”

Everyone was stunned. “Yeah…it is…” Ren admitted.

“Hold on, what are the chances the two are related?” Ryuji asked.

“It’s more possible than you might think,” Makoto said. “I mean, ‘Alibaba’ knows that Ren is the leader of the Phantom Thieves. Maybe they learned it by observing Boss.”

“But that’s ‘Alibaba’,” Ryuji pointed out. “We don’t know who that person is, or why they’d have it in for Boss, or this Futaba Sakura.”

“That’s…a fair point…” Makoto said, a little frustrated that she just got outsmarted by Ryuji.

“It feels like the more we discuss it, the more confused we get,” Jose said.

“I think that’s true,” Sumire added.

“The most confusing thing is why is the name Futaba Sakura split in half?” Ren said.

“Well,” Ann began, “we know that the white text means it’s part of the take over distortion. So does that mean they are taking over from themselves?” Everyone looked at her. “I mean…it’s just an idea…”

“I don’t think it’s a bad idea though,” Makoto said.

“So ‘Alibaba’ has nothing to do with this?” Ryuji asked.

“But if that’s true, how do they know of Futaba Sakura?” Sumire rebutted.

“I feel like we are so close, yet so far away,” Yusuke said.

“I agree,” Ren said. “It’s like we’re missing the last piece of the puzzle. And when we put it in, everything will make sense.”

They all continued to think about the predicament they find themselves in. “Um, maybe we should wait to hear back from ‘Alibaba’ before continuing,” Sumire offered. “I mean, it seems like we’ll take their request now. Perhaps they’ll give us more information to work with.”

Ren nodded. “That sounds like a good idea. I don’t think we can get anything else from talking about what we know now.”

“Hold on,” Makoto interrupted. “Where is Boss?”

“Oh,” Ren answered. “He said something came up. He didn’t tell me anything else, but it seemed urgent.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“I guess this is the best we can do for now,” Morgana hesitantly said.

“I think we should try to figure out a back up plan to take care of Medjed,” Yusuke said. “Just in case this takes a while.”

“Good idea,” Ren said. “I’ll message you all as soon as ‘Alibaba’ gets back to me.” Everyone nodded. “Buuuuuut… since you’re all still here, and Sojiro isn’t, do you want some curry?” Everyone perked up and agreed to Ren’s offer. Ren smiled. “Well then, just excuse me for a second.” She went upstairs to change into some casual clothes. Once she came back down, she put on her apron and began to make curry for everyone.

Once she finished, she served everyone. Much to her delight, everyone loved her curry. After they finished eating, they began leaving. The last to leave was Sumire, but not before giving her a kiss on the cheek. Ren rubbed the spot Sumire kissed and gently blushed.

After Ren calmed down, she got out her phone.

Ren: Hey.

Ren: I had some friends over, and I made them some curry.

Ren: Do you want me to shop for the ingredients to replace them, or do you just want me to pay you back?

It took a bit for Sojiro to respond.

Sojiro: Oh, sorry. I fell asleep.

Sojiro: As for the curry, don’t worry about it. I’ll figure it out.

Ren: Thanks boss.

Ren: Good night.

Sojiro: Good night.

Ren put her phone away. She rolled up her sleeves, and started grabbing the dishes to clean them. Morgana hopped on top of the fridge near the sink. “So, how do you feel about this Medjed? I don’t think their threats are empty. People might be afraid”

“That might be true,” Ren began, “but they’re the ones provoking us. They’re afraid of what we can do and want to get rid of us by trying to get us to quit.”

“Hm,” Morgana smiled. “So, what about this whole Futaba Sakura thing? Do you think Boss really told someone?”

Ren put another clean dish in the drying rack. “I don’t want to believe he’d do that,” she said. “But I’ve been hurt before.”

“From what I can tell, it doesn’t seem like something he’d do,” Morgana assured her.

Ren smiled. “Thanks Morgana.” Ren finished the dishes, and hung up her apron. She stretched out her arms, and Morgana jumped into them. The two went upstairs, and went to bed.

Notes:

So, as some of you guessed, Futaba is her own crusader. It might have been one of the easier guesses to make. Although it is helped by two of the previous crusaders being original characters, and thus not really possible to guess.

Anyways, I really enjoy this concept, and I hope you do as well. Well, I hope you enjoy this whole story, and I invite you to do so every time I make these notes, but I really like this idea, and want you to like it too. But no pressure. Enjoy.

Chapter 88: Game Changer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As she got downstairs the next morning, she saw Sojiro there. “Oh, hey Sojiro,” she said. He looked at her. “How are you feeling?”

“Oh, uh…” Sojiro said. “I think I’m alright.”

“You think?” Ren asked.

“It’s…hard to say…” Sojiro said. “I want to think everything’s fine, but a part of me is still uneasy.”

Ren chuckled. “I know that feeling.”

“Hm,” Sojiro grunted, acknowledging her.

Ren smiled. “And I know things get better when you talk about it with someone else.”

“As much as I’d like to,” Sojiro said, “I’m not entirely sure what’s going on myself. Maybe when I get a better understanding of things.”

Ren nodded. “Very well. But I am going to hold you to it.” She ate her breakfast and went to school.

On the train to school, Ren heard some people murmuring about Medjed, which made her think to look them up. She thought she could try and find some clues on how to defeat them outside of this “Alibaba” person. When she searched for them, she saw something truly shocking.

“‘Medjed’s Website Hacked’?” Ren read in confusion. She headed over to Medjed’s website to see what had happened. The website had the usual Medjed stuff on in, but superimposed in the foreground was a red Eye of Horus, and underneath some text. Unlike Medjed, this text was in Japanese. Ren’s English was fine enough, but she did prefer Japanese, since she had known it longer.

“‘It has come to my attention that Medjed is threatening the Phantom Thieves, Japan, and in all honesty, the world. If it believes that this is “justice”, its existence is a shadow of its former self. Truth be told, Medjed was hijacked by a bunch of self-serving miscreants whose mouths constantly write checks their computers can’t cash.

When it first began, Medjed was doing basically what the Phantom Thieves were doing. And now, Medjed considers them enemies. How pathetic. And now, they threaten to level the Japanese economy for their own gains.

Hence, I shall put an end to all of this. If this “Cleanse” were to be enacted, I will use my “Counter-Cleanse” to stop it in its tracks. After which, it will locate all the computers with high Medjed activity. From there, it will cause said computers to overload and blow up, hopefully taking out all the Medjed scum once and for all. Myself included. For I am the original Medjed, and I apologize that this farce went on for so long. But soon, any trace of Medjed shall be no more!’”

Ren was in horror. “That’s really bad…” She texted the group.

Ren: Guys. Something big happened.

Makoto: I know. My sister practically had a conniption about it this morning.

Jose: Well, it is a big deal. I don’t blame her.

Sumire: I think we need to meet again.

Ryuji: HOLY SHIT!

Ryuji: Sorry, I just read it.

Yusuke: As did I.

Yusuke: Despite the subject matter being what it is, their prose is really good.

Ryuji: Can you PLEASE focus on the matter at hand?

Yusuke: You’re right. I apologize.

Ann: This is really troubling though…

Ann: What are we going to do?

Sumire: I think we should wait until Ren-senpai hears from “Alibaba”.

Sumire: Maybe things will clear up by then.

Ren: Good thinking Sumire.

Ren: I’ll message you afterwards to see what the plan is.

They put their phones away and headed to school.

At lunch, Ren got another message.

???: Hello.

Ren: Thank goodness, I’ve been waiting for you.

???: I am here to tell you that your services are no longer required.

Ren: WHAT?!

Ren: What’s going on?

Ren: “Alibaba”?

???: It’s not “Alibaba” anymore…

???: I am the Original Medjed.

Ren: …what?

???: I take it you’ve seen my handiwork.

???: You’re welcome.

Ren: For what?

???: This solves all of our problems.

???: Good day.

Before Ren could respond, the conversation disappeared. She messaged the thieves.

Ren: …

Ryuji: That CAN’T be good.

Makoto: What happened with “Alibaba”?

Ren: Apparently, this “Alibaba” is using a different name.

Ren: “The Original Medjed”.

Ryuji: Yeah, that’s bad.

Ann: Wait, what?!

Yusuke: Very perplexing indeed.

Ren: I think we need to meet up.

Jose: But where?

Jose: I don’t know how suspicious it would look to go back to the cafe for a third time.

Makoto: Maybe, but I can’t think of a better idea.

Ann: Could we do it at Kosei?

Yusuke: The dorms are far too small for a group our size.

Jose: Plus, they don’t allow animals, so we’d have to leave Morgana behind.

Sumire: Makoto-senpai, didn’t you mention some place in Kichijoji a while ago?

Makoto: Oh, right.

Makoto: I guess that would work.

Ren: Great. It’s settled.

Ren: We’ll meet in Kichijoji and Makoto will lead us to the place.

They put their phones away, nervous about what was happening to them.

After school, the group met in Kichijoji. “So, where is this place, Makoto-senpai?” Sumire asked.

Makoto nodded. “Follow me.” She led everyone to a place called Penguin Sniper

“Oh yeah, I’ve heard of this place,” Ryuji said. They walked in.

“What do you want to play?” Makoto asked them.

Ren looked around. It appeared that they were the only ones there. “Let’s play pool.” They paid, got their equipment, and set everything up.

The first game was between Yusuke and Makoto. While they were playing, they started conversing about what was happening. “So, ‘Alibaba’ is the original Medjed?” Makoto asked.

“Yup,” Ren answered.

“So, do we think our earlier hypothesis of Futaba being her own crusader is wrong?” Yusuke asked.

“What makes you say that?” Ann replied, incensed.

“Well,” Yusuke began, lining up his next shot, “the plan the original Medjed proposed sounds a lot like a plan a crusader would set up, right?”

“...Yeah,” Ann admitted.

“So, why is Futaba’s name split?” Sumire asked.

“Beats me,” Jose said.

Morgana popped out. “Maybe the takeover has accelerated faster?”

“Hmmmm,” Jose pondered.

“Regardless, what do we do?” Ryuji asked.

Ren began thinking. “We just need to figure out how to get into Futaba’s palace.”

“Hold on, do we know that will help?” Ryuji asked.

“I can’t think of a reason it wouldn’t,” Ren said.

“‘Alibaba’ asked us to change their heart,” Makoto reminded them. She sunk one of her balls. “It’s fairly likely that they’re taking over their palace.”

“I guess that’s true,” Ryuji said.

“So, how do we find this Futaba Sakura?” Sumire asked.

“I guess we gotta do some good old-fashioned detective work,” Morgana said.

“Figures,” Ryuji groaned.

Jose turned to Ren. “So, does this mean you’re going to investigate Boss?”

Ren was a little surprised.”...I guess…” she answered.

“Hey,” Makoto said. Ren looked up. “I’m sure if the worst happens as a result, we can figure something out.”

“Thanks…” Ren said, still a little disheartened.

“You OK?” Ryuji asked.

“I dunno,” Ren admitted. “It’s kind of… I don’t know how to say it.”

“Well, when you do, you know we’re here for you,” Ann cheered.

Yusuke finished up his turn. “So, it seems like we need to start figuring stuff out.”

“Yeah,” Makoto said, taking her shot. “But on the plus side, we do have a while.”

“True,” Yusuke responded.

Makoto sank the 8-ball in, winning the game. “Yes!’ she shouted.

“Wha?” Yusuke said, surprised.

“So, do we want to start investigating now?” Ann asked.

“If it’s alright with you, I kind of want to stay here for a bit longer,” Ren said. “Just to take a break, since it seems things are happening a mile a minute.”

“That’s fair,” Ann said.

“Who’s up next then?” Makoto asked.

“I can’t quite reach the table,” Jose said. “But I don’t mind watching.”

“Hey, how ‘bout you and I go next?” Ryuji asked Ren.

Ren chuckled. “Sounds interesting. I’m game.” Yusuke and Makoto passed their cues to Ryuji and Ren. Once everything was set up, they started playing. Despite a hard-fought game, Ren won, surprising no one.

They handed their cues off to Sumire and Ann for one more game. Sumire was a bit nervous at first, but everyone helped her to relax. She would eventually go on to win against Ann, but they all agreed that it was the closest game yet; fun too.

After that game, the thieves left. They had their work cut out for them, and they needed their rest. One her way home, Ren was growing especially worried. If this Futaba Sakura was somehow related to Sojiro, what would that mean for her? For Sojiro? While she kept thinking about it, she knew that it was one of those things where she’ll just have to cross that bridge to get to it.

When she stepped into LeBlanc, she noticed Sojiro was still behind the counter. Even more surprising, he was on his phone, and he looked frustrated. She walked up to him, although he still didn’t seem to notice. “Sojiro?” she said, breaking his concentration. “What are you doing?”

“Ah, well, um…” Sojiro answered. “Maybe you can help me.” Ren was confused. “Well, you’re a kid, right? I can’t get this website to cooperate with me.”

“Um, OK,” Ren said. He handed her his phone. She was stunned that the website he was on was the Phansite. She looked up at him. “Um, Sojiro.” He looked at her. “Who’s heart do you want changed?”

“Oh, well that’s… ummmmm…” Sojiro stammered. He sighed. “I guess there’s no way to keep it a secret any longer. I know who the original Medjed is.” Ren was shocked.

 

Notes:

I'm a little more stressed out than usual, but I think this chapter turned out alright. I was mulling over whether to combine this and my ideas for next chapter into one big chapter, but I decided to hold off for now. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 89: Mutual Understanding

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren couldn't believe it. Sojiro, the man who was taking care of her, just told her that he knew who the original Medjed was. With the speculation around Futaba Sakura being related to Sojiro Sakura, this was not something she could ignore, or write off as him being mistaken. At the same time, she was concerned.

“Um…” she said. “Are you sure this is something that you want to broadcast?”

Sojiro grunted. “Well…ugh…I don’t know… I mean, I figure I can get her out of the worst of it, provided this Phantom Thieves thing works, but…” He sighed. “I don’t know what else to do…”

Ren noticed something in Sojiro. “You’re really serious about this.”

“Hm. More serious than you can imagine,” he replied.

Ren set Sojiro’s phone on the counter. “Sojiro, do you trust me?”

Sojiro was now confused. “That’s a bit of a loaded question, but yes…”

“Then I promise, I’ll get the Phantom Thieves here to hear you out,” Ren said.

Sojiro was stunned. He picked up his phone. “You’d do that?” Ren nodded. “Heh. Well, I’d like to see what happens. But I can’t wait forever.”

“You don’t need to worry about that,” Ren said.

“Heh, worrying is pretty much all I do these days,” Sojiro responded. “But I get your point. Anyway, I have to get home now. Can’t wait to see your miracle.” He waved as he left, while Ren waved back.

Once he was out of the cafe, Morgana popped out “Um, are you sure about this?”

“You’ve seen boss,” Ren said. “He respects honesty. Besides. It seems like he was in pain.”

“Well, I can’t disagree,” Morgana said. “This might be our only way out of this.”

“I’ve gotta go message everyone else about this,” Ren said. “Do you want your food now, or after?”

Morgana sighed. “I’ll take it now.” Ren smiled, and proceeded to feed Morgana. After which, she whipped up something for herself. After she sat down to eat, she got out her phone.

Ren: I think I found our way in.

Ren: But we need to reveal ourselves to boss.

Ryuji: For real?!

Ann: Like, fully?

Makoto: Speaking as someone who’s been on the other side of this, I think it would be appreciated.

Yusuke: Hold on, why are we doing this?

Ren: He told me he knows who the original Medjed is.

Ren: I think we owe him at least that much.

Jose: When did he tell you this?!

Ren: He was trying to post that information on the Phansite, but couldn’t figure it out.

Jose: Huh.

Sumire: You’re really serious about this, aren’t you?

Ren: Yeah.

Sumire: I could tell.

Ren: Are we all on board?

Sumire: I am.

Makoto: Me too.

Yusuke: Of course.

Jose: Yep!

Ann: You can count me in!

Ryuji: Me too!

Ren: Thank you.

Ren: After school tomorrow, got it?

Sumire: Yes.

Ryuji: Got it!

Jose: OK!

Ren: See you then.

Ren put her phone away. She and Morgana finished eating, and then went upstairs for bed.

The next day, after school, the Shujin-based thieves gathered. “This wasn’t exactly how I planned on spending my summer,” Makoto remarked.

“Eh, you kind of get used to it after a while,” Ren said. “Although this is coming from someone who barely made it one school day before all this metaverse stuff came crashing down on them.”

“Fair enough,” Makoto said.

“I’m kind of glad that we’re getting this out of the way at the beginning,” Sumire said. “That way, I can have the full summer to myself. It’s kind of like doing your homework early.”

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Ryuji groaned.

“Well, I think that’s a healthy outlook to have, Sumire-chan,” Makoto said. “Proving that age doesn’t mean as much as you think it does.”

“Well, I mean,” Ryuji began, “it might be better to get accustomed to school before actually heading back, you know?”

“Oh, that is a good point,” Sumire responded.

“Don’t listen to him, Sumire-chan,” Ann said. “He’s just pulling that out of thin air.”

“I am not!” Ryuji countered.

“Can we just go?” Ren asked. “I want to get this over with as soon as possible.”

“R-right,” Ryuji cowered. “Let’s go.” They all nodded and headed out. They met up with Yusuke and Jose, and then went to LeBlanc.

As they stood outside the door, everyone was nervous. This was the moment before they had to spill everything to Sojiro in hopes for information that would help them. “You OK?” Morgana asked.

Ren nodded. “Yeah. Let’s go.” She opened the door, and everyone entered. Ren sighed a sigh of relief, seeing only Sojiro and no customers.

Sojiro looked at them. “Ah. Welcome. What’s on the agenda today?”

Ren took a deep breath. “Here goes,” she whispered to herself. She sat at the counter, while her friends gathered around her. “Sojiro.” He looked perplexed. “You wanted the Phantom Thieves? Well, here we are.”

Sojiro was surprised. “You’re…you’re joking right?”

Ren shook her head. “This is as real as it gets.”

Sojiro looked around at the rest of the thieves, looking for someone to break. No one would. “Huh. You kids really are the Phantom Thieves.” They all nodded. “Hmmm.” He walked around the counter to the door. He changed the open sign to “closed” and walked back in. “Well, we have the shop to ourselves now. Mind if I ask a few questions?”

“What?” Ryuji shrieked. “Don’t you-”

Ren lifted her hand to stop Ryuji. “By all means.”

Sojiro had to think for a moment. “How…did this happen?”

“Do you want the long version?” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “Is there a short version that makes sense?”

“I don’t even think the long version makes sense,” Ren admitted.

Sojiro rubbed his head. “Just…try to make it make sense.”

“Well, I’ll see what I can do,” Ren said. “So, basically, what’s going on is I was called upon by a powerful being from another dimension to save the world. In order to do so, we have to sneak into said other dimension and become the Phantom Thieves to steal the desires of others in an effort to stop a powerful being from creating a world of chaos.”

Sojiro was dumbfounded. “That’s…a lot to take in…”

“Wait, you believe it?” Ann asked.

“Yeah, I’m not sure I would have believed it,” Yusuke admitted.

“Well, before I made this place, I used to work in politics,” Sojiro said “So I can tell when someone is lying or not.”

“How incredible,” Yusuke remarked.

“So, what does the cat do while you’re out on these adventures?” Sojiro asked.

“Oh, he’s in on it, 100%,” Ren said. Morgana popped out.

“In fact, he’s not really a cat,” Sumire said. “He comes from the dimension we go to. He just…looks, acts, and assumes the role of a cat.”

“Well…I guess it’s true…” Morgana shamefully admitted.

“Huh. Sooooo, does he just meow like that all the time?” Sojiro asked.

Ren shook her head. “He talks, and we can understand him, but that’s only because we've been on the other side with him.”

“We can even understand him here,” Jose said.

“Heh,” Sojiro laughed. “I doubt that the police would take this seriously if you told them.”

“So, our cards are on the table,” Ren said. “Feel like returning the favor?”

“Hm, I guess if you’re gonna help me,” Sojiro said. “As you probably know, this Medjed threat is getting out of hand fast, and that’s because of the original Medjed.”

“You know who that is?” Makoto asked.

Sojiron nodded. “My daughter: Futaba.”

The thieves were all shocked. “Futaba…Sakura?” Ann asked.

“Yeah,” Sojiro answered.

“I guess both ideas were correct…” Ann muttered

Sojiro got a bit curious. “What does that mean?”

“Well, it’s a bit complicated…” Ren admitted. “But basically, all of our major targets so far have had these structures called Palaces. Palaces form from a strong distorted desire.”

“We had actually heard from someone going by the name ‘Alibaba’ that they wanted us to change Futaba Sakura’s heart,” Sumire continued. “And when we investigated, we found out that she had a palace.”

“But when this whole original Medjed threat came up, ‘Alibaba’ revealed themselves as the original Medjed and terminated our deal,” Ryuji finished.

“So, you’re saying they’re all the same person?” Makoto asked.

“That’s correct,” Sojiro said.

“And that person is your daughter?” Yusuke continued.

Sojiro nodded. “That’s right.”

“Is…she why you didn’t want me living at your house?” Ren asked.

“Well there’s no point in hiding it now, is there?” Sojiro responded. “Yeah, she’s the reason. And much like what you've had to say, it’s complicated.”

“We’re listening,” Ren said.

Sojiro nodded. “Well, for starters, Futaba actually isn’t my daughter from birth.” This was a bit of a surprise. “She’s the daughter of…someone I knew very well.” The thieves could hear the somberness in his voice. “She was a researcher by the name of Wakaba Isshiki.

As I mentioned, I worked in politics. One of my jobs was communicating between government officials and different companies to see what deals could be made. Wakaba worked at a tech company. I made contact with her.”

Sojiro smiled. “I’ll fully admit, I’m something of a ladies’ man. My charms tend to work on most people. Not her. She was a cut above the rest. Though I guess it makes a bit of sense. She already had Futaba when we met.

Erm, I’m getting off track a little. The point is, through our continued interaction, we became close. Two years ago, she was working on a big project when suddenly…” Sojiro paused. He was almost too afraid to say it, but even more afraid to believe it. “She died.”

The thieves were in shock. “What…happened…?” Makoto asked, still on edge.

“Heh. That’s the fucked up thing,” Sojiro said. “The official report says she committed suicide.” The thieves shocked even more. “I have my doubts though. Mainly that a bit before it happened, she told me ‘I think someone’s going to kill me.’ Heh. I didn’t know what to do. I offered to help, but Wakaba was adamant that I couldn’t.

Futaba was with Wakaba when it happened. She flung herself into oncoming traffic, right in front of her daughter’s eyes.” The thieves were all pale. “Though, like I said, I doubt this was of her own volition. And if that wasn’t enough, the investigation unearthed a quote-unquote ‘suicide note’ that placed the blame at Futaba’s feet.”

“What the fuck?” Ren said, with a grim expression on her face.

“After the funeral, Futaba went to live with her uncle,” Sojiro continued.

“Well, that makes sense,” Makoto said.

“Sure, but the guy isn’t a stand up person at all,” Sojiro said. He turned to Ren. “You’ve met him before. You know what he’s like.”

Ren had to think. “Wait. He’s THAT asshole?!”

“Yeah…” Sojiro said. “He wasn’t treating Futaba right. He was barely feeding her. He didn’t give her a bed. He just didn’t care. I had to step in.

I quit my political job and started this place. I also offered him a large sum of money for Futaba’s guardianship. She’s been living with me ever since, but…she’s still dealing with what happened.”

“I can’t even imagine,” Makoto said.

“I can…” Sumire admitted. “To see someone so close to you ripped away from you just like that. Shouldering the responsibility.” She sighed. Ren pulled her in for a comforting side hug.

Ren looked at Sojiro. “So, how do you know that she’s the original Medjed?”

Sojiro was a bit taken aback. “I’ve known ever since she started doing that stuff. Wakaba would tell me. I didn’t interfere because, well, she’s been serving justice. But when ‘Medjed’ started going off the deep end, she wasn’t really doing that stuff anymore, so I knew it had to be someone else. I was aware she took up the name ‘Alibaba’ when she started doing that stuff again. Although I’m not sure what made her take up the Medjed name once more.”

“We might know,” Ren said, catching Sojiro’s attention.

“It’s that stupid bitch, Eris!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“...’Eris’?” Sojiro question.

Ren nodded. “If you recall, we are tasked with stopping a powerful being of chaos. Eris is that being.”

Sojiro became confused. “What does she want with Futaba?”

“We…aren’t sure…” Ann admitted, confusing Sojiro more.

“Again, it’s a bit complicated,” Ren clarified. “Basically, all of our previous major targets were being targeted by people who were assisted by Eris. Those people, the crusaders as we call them, were out to kill the palace ruler. However, we believe Futaba is not only a palace ruler, but also a crusader.”

Sojiro needed a bit of time to absorb that information. “I think that makes sense.”

“It does?” Makoto asked.

“Strange as it sounds, yeah,” Sojiro answered. “She’s gone through a weird personality shift these past few days. She’s more energetic, but something felt off. And when she basically announced that…well…you know…I knew I had to do something.”

Ren smirked. “Well, you’ve come to the right place.”

“Totally!” Ann cheered.

“We’ll help you out!” Ryuji said.

“Both you, and Futaba,” Sumire said.

“Because we are the Phantom Thieves, and that is what we do!” Jose chimed in.

“Indeed,” Yusuke added.

“You have our word,” Makoto assured him.

“Yeah!” Morgana shouted.

Sojiro chuckled. “Thank you. Everyone.”

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 5

Ren whipped out her phone. “So, do you guys want to get started figuring out the rest of the code tonight?” Sojiro was puzzled.

“Well, I’d like to figure it out sooner, rather than later…” Sumire answered.

“I agree,” Makoto said. “But I think it would be better if we began our investigation tomorrow.”

“I agree,” Yusuke called out. “Today has already been a lot.”

“Yeah, not to mention it was the last day of school before summer break,” Ryuji added. “I feel like getting our rest will help us.”

“Wow Ryuji,” Ann said. “That’s actually a smart observation.”

“Plus, I feel like with it being summer, we’d have more mobility,” Jose said.

“Sounds like we have our answer,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “I agree.

“Huh…” Sojiro said. “I’m sorry. I believe you, I just…I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind about the cat.”

“Well, for what it’s worth, he likes you,” Ren said.

“It’s true,” Morgana said, even though he knew Sojiro couldn’t understand him.

“Hm,” Sojiro chuckled. “Well, I guess I can’t complain.” Sojiro got up and went back around the counter. “You guys are planning to help Futaba?” The thieves nodded intermittently. “Well, you know what they say, ‘an army marches on its stomach’. I’ll cook for you all while you’re on this mission. It’s the least I can do.”

“You mean it?” Yusuke said, hardly containing his excitement.

“Of course,” Sojiro answered.

“Thanks boss!” Ryuji said, excitedly.

“Yeah, thanks boss!” Ann said.

“Do you want some help?” Sumire asked. “I’m really good at cooking.”

“Nah, I think I’ll be alright,” Sojiro said. “Hell, knowing that you’re helping is giving me an excess of energy.”

“Whatever you say, boss,” Ren said. Sojiro smiled at them. He cooked the thieves a meal, and served it to them. The thieves enjoyed their meal thoroughly. They knew that tomorrow, things were going to get more intense. They had learned the true nature of what was going on, and they knew that by entering Futaba’s palace, they’d be confronted with it head on. They knew they had to be prepared for anything, and through Sojiro’s cooking, they felt more prepared than ever.

Notes:

This is one of the biggest changes I knew I was going to do from the beginning. It just makes sense from my perspective. If Sojiro knew Futaba was in danger, he would stop at nothing to get her out of it. Aligning himself with the Phantom Thieves and them revealing themselves to him at this point in the story makes sense in this context.

I was also thinking about chapter length and stuff like that, where for a while now, most chapters have been just one day, with some exceptions. This is sort of an exception, since it goes from the previous night into the next day, but most of it takes place in the one day. I was thinking of combining the next day's stuff with it, but this chapter alone got to six pages on Google Docs. And since there's more I want to get to concerning a few things, I feel alright leaving it at that. I'm not sure it's that much of an issue anyways, it's just this story will just have an almost ludicrous amount of chapters in it. I've already surpassed my previous longest chapter count. But I think it's fine.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 90: Feeling the Heat

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It was Sunday; the first day of summer. The thieves were preparing themselves to begin their voyage to Futaba’s palace. However, they weren’t the only ones on high alert.

Sae had been called into the office by her boss. Once there, she was face to face with her boss. “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes,” the director said. “It appears this Phantom Thieves/Medjed thing is spiraling out of control.”

“Right…” Sae said.

“With a threat this serious, I’m not sure if we can wait it out anymore,” the director said. “But you are in charge of the Phantom Thieves case, and you seem to have some insight into their thinking. So what do you think our next move should be?”

Sae needed to be careful. A lot of her insight came from the report Makoto wrote to exonerate them. There’s also some information she gathered from her talk with Naoko. However, Sae herself was not without knowledge.

Sae smirked. “I think us waiting it out will still work to our benefit.”

The director was shocked. “With the situation being what it is, I don’t think we can afford to.”

“You wanted to hear my opinion, correct?” Sae said. “Then let me finish.”

The director calmed down. “Go on.”

“Thank you,” Sae said. “Now, if you look at every previous major target, the Phantom Thieves sent out calling cards. In those calling cards, not only did they mention the crimes of their target, but also something about someone else targeting them. If you recall, before the Phantom Thieves made him confess everything, someone put out a manifesto claiming they were going to kill Junya Kaneshiro. I feel like that this ‘original Medjed’ might follow the same M.O. as these other people targeting the previous Phantom Thieves targets.”

“I see,” the director said. “So you think the Phantom Thieves will stop Medjed, but also this ‘original Medjed’ in the process?”

“I know they will try,” Sae said. “And if they don’t, they will offer themselves to us. But I do believe we also need to take some precautions. We should interrogate some of the Medjed members we have apprehended already. See if this new threat will get them to talk.”

“What of the Phantom Thieves?” the director asked.

“As much as I would like to interrogate them, we barely know anything about them,” Sae said. “All we know is that some of them might go to Shujin Academy. Besides, they aren’t the ones with the death threats aimed at them.”

“I see…” the director replied. He nodded. “Very well then. I trust you will continue your investigation.”

Sae bowed. “Thank you sir.” She left.

Once Sae was gone, the director picked up his phone and made a call. “It’s come to my attention that someone in Medjed might have a palace. You wouldn’t be betraying the master now, would you?”

“Of course not!” the voice on the other end said, nervously.

“Good,” the director said. “Because you know what would happen if you did.”

“Of course!” the voice said, continuing their nervous shouting.

The director nodded. “I’ll see what I can find on my end, but I can only do so much in my attempt to keep up appearances you know.”

“And I will continue to figure things out on my end,” the voice said.

The director was pondering something. “I’m going to ask you again. Are you absolutely sure you have no idea who the original Medjed is.”

“No sir!” the voice said. “If I did, I would have told you already!”

“Very well then,” the director said. “If something happens, call me.” He hung up. He became incredibly focused. “Let’s just hope the next part of this plan goes off without a hitch.”

Meanwhile, the thieves arrived one by one at LeBlanc to begin preparations for their first foray into Futaba’s palace. Once they were all gathered, they sat at and around a booth. “How long are you planning to do this?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, it depends,” Ann said.

“On what?” Sojiro asked.

“On if we can figure out the codewords,” Ryuji answered. Sojiro seemed confused.

“Hey Sojiro,” Ren asked, “does your phone have an app that looks like this on it?” She showed him the Metaverse app.

Sojiro looked at it. “I don’t remember installing something like that.”

“It would install on its own,” Ren said.

“Um, why are we asking him?” Morgana asked.

“Well, because,” Ren began answering, “we’ve been recruiting people whenever we find a new palace. I just figured it would be worth asking.”

“I see…” Morgana said.

“Well, I don’t have it,” Sojiro reiterated. “All I have are some basic apps, some traditional games, and that Living Love thing Futaba installed as a prank one time.”

“Wait, that idol game?” Sumire asked.

“Um, do you not know how to uninstall things?” Makoto asked.

“No, I know how to install it,” Sojiro said. “I just thought I’d humor her, and play it for a bit. Sooner or later, I got hooked.”

“I see….” Makoto said.

“So, what does that app do?” Sojiro asked.

“It allows us to go into the metaverse,” Jose answered.

“However, in order to get into the palace itself, we need a set of three keywords,” Yusuke explained.

“Huh,” Sojiro responded.

“Maybe you can help us figure it out boss,” Ryuji said

“You do know her best,” Makoto pointed out.

“Very well,” Sojiro said. “The sooner you guys leave, the sooner I can open. What do you have so far?”

“All we have is the name,” Sumire said. “Futaba Sakura.”

“And what do you need?” Sojiro asked.

“We need a name, a place, and what the distortion is,” Ren said.

“Hold, you lost me again,” Sojiro said. “What do you mean by ‘distortion’?”

“So, a palace forms when a person has a strong, distorted desire,” Ren answered. “And after what we heard last night, I can only imagine how Futaba’s desires are distorted. So, what happens is a palace will take shape in the other world based around a location in the real world.”

“Huh,” Sojiro responded. “Well, I can give you the location no problem.”

“Really?” Ann said.

Sojiro nodded. “It’s my house. Ever since I brought her home with me, she hasn’t left.”

“Oh…” Ann said, stunned by this.

“I don’t blame her,” Sojiro said. “After what happened, I didn’t have a lot in me either. And it was a lot worse for her. So, I help where I can, but let her go at her own pace.”

“I see…” Ann said, somberly.

“So, all that’s left is the distortion,” Yusuke pointed out.

“What does that usually entail?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, that’s the tricky thing…” Yusuke said.

Jose jumped in. “What’s happened so far is that whenever a crusader takes over, the distortion becomes their word, as opposed to the palace ruler.”

“But now they’re one in the same,” Ren said. “So that might be a bit of an issue to figure out.”

“That does sound tricky,” Sojiro responded. “How does a crusader’s distortion manifest?”

“Well,” Morgana answered, “It’s usually a reaction to-”

“Let me handle this,” Ren said. “Sojiro can’t understand you.

“Oh… Right,” Morgana pouted.

Ren giggled slightly. She began to echo Morgana’s words. “It’s usually a reaction to the palace ruler, and how they wish to deal with them.”

“Like, for Kamoshida,” Ann explained. “He was held up in a castle, and…the crusader…imagined a revolution to oust him.”

“I see,” Sojiro said.

“But now that they’re the same person, I can’t imagine what Futaba would imagine doing to herself,” Yusuke said.

“Hold on,” Sumire said. “It’s not just herself though, right?”

“You’re right,” Makoto said. “It’s all of Medjed. She threatened to use her talents to take all of them out. But do you think it would be that?”

“Oh!” Sojiro said. “If it is, I think I know what it would be. She usually refers to her hacking programs as ‘curses’. You know, because of how devastating they can be…”

Ren smiled. “Well, it’s worth a shot.” She stood up. “Are we ready?” The other thieves nodded. “Then let’s try this out.” They all left LeBlanc.

“Heh,” Sojiro laughed. “Godspeed, Phantom Thieves.”

Ren led everyone to Sojiro’s house. She loaded up the app. She had Futaba Sakura’s palace navigator loaded in front of her. “Sojiro Sakura’s house.”

“Match found,” the phone replied.

Ren smiled. She quickly became nervous again, knowing that if the next word was right, they’d be brought into the palace itself. “Curse.”

“Navigating,” the phone said. They felt the world shift around them.

When it stopped, they found themselves in the middle of a desert. They looked at themselves and saw that they were in the Phantom Thief outfits. “Well, it seems to have worked,” Ann pointed out.

“But where do we go?” Yusuke asked.

Jose looked up. “I imagine we can follow that,” he said, pointing up. The others looked to see a long, red, wavy, aura. They looked over to see where it was coming from. In the distance, they saw the source of the aura: a pyramid.

“Do we have to walk all the way there?” Ryuji asked.

“Did you forget we have a car?” Ren asked.

“We do?” Morgana said. “Oh, you meant me…”

“Are you not up for it, Mona-senpai?” Sumire asked.

“Well…it’s a long way away…” Morgana moaned.

“Ah, that’s nonsense!” Ann said. “You can do it Mona!”

Morgana perked up. “Well, if Panther believes in me... LET’S DO IT! TRANSFORM!” He became the van.

The thieves started stepping in. Ann giggled as she entered. “Did she…do that on purpose?” Yusuke mused.

“Scary…” Ryuji replied. They both got in.

Once they got in, Makoto was at the wheel, and it was time to put the pedal to the metal. They started driving towards the pyramid.

“How much longer?” Yusuke asked.

“I don’t know,” Makoto said “There’s not a sign saying how many kilometers there are to the giant pyramid.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Yusuke admitted.

“Man, it’s hot in here,” Ryuji complained. “Can’t the AC go up further?”

“I’m trying the best I can!” Morgana said. “I need energy to do this. You don’t want me to break down and not even make it halfway to the pyramid, do you?”

“I guess not,” Ryuji said.

Jose chuckled. “I think you’re doing great Mona.”

“Thank you Sunshine,” Morgana replied.

Ann noticed Sumire was a bit quiet. “You OK Violet?” she asked.

Ren looked over at Sumire and noticed the same thing. “Yeah, if you don’t want to take part this time, I understand. After what happened with you and your sister, and this being kind of similar…”

Sumire looked up. “Huh? Oh. Well…” She took a deep breath. “There are parallels, yes, but I think that’s what makes it so important that I be here. Being with you all has helped me so much. I know what it’s like to be alone, so I want to help her not feel like that anymore.”

Ren smiled and blushed. “Come here.” She pulled Sumire in for a hug before kissing her on the cheek. “You’re just wonderful.”

Sumire was now blushing. “Thanks…”

“We’re here,” Makoto said. They looked out to see they were fast approaching the pyramid. When they got close enough, they pulled to a stop. They got out of the van, and Morgana returned to his usual form.

They observed the pyramid. On all sides, there was an Eye of Horus, and it was emitting that aura they followed. “So, this is the palace…” Ren said. “Let’s go.” She started walking in. Everyone else followed her.

Once inside, they ventured past a pit to find a flight of stairs. The thieves started climbing them. However, Ryuji stood still. Sumire noticed this. “Is something wrong, Skull-senpai?”

“I dunno,” Ryuji said. “In adventure movies and stuff, pyramids and places like them have all sorts of booby-traps. I don’t trust this.”

“Well, we’ll be on the lookout then, right?” Sumire answered.

Ryuji smiled. “Yeah. Thanks Violet.” The two of them followed the rest of the thieves up.

They continued up the stairs. The trek was long, but uneventful. However, when they were close to the top, Ryuji stepped on a loose tile. “Huh?”

“Murderer!” a voice called out.

“What’s going on?” Yusuke asked. He backed up and stepped on another tile.

“You killed her!”

“What?!” Ann shrieked, accidentally stepping on another tile.

“Wretched child!”

“This is…” Makoto said.

“Stop moving!” Morgana yelled. However, he also stepped on another tile. “Oops.”

“Get away from me!”

Sumire cowered and flocked toward Ren. However, she stepped on another tile. “Oh no…”

“It’s fine,” Ren assured her.

“You’re the reason she’s dead!” Sumire clung to Ren tighter.

The pyramid started to rumble. “Whatever that is, it sounds big,” Jose remarked. A giant boulder appeared in front of them. “Like that!” Jose said, panicking.

“RUN!” Morgana shouted. The thieves ran down the stairs as the boulder started chasing them.

“Looks like you were right, Skull!” Sumire called out.

“Now’s not the time to point it out!” Ryuji screamed back.

They continued to outrun the boulder until they got back to the pit, where they fled to either side, and the boulder fell through. “That was way too close,” Jose commented.

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “Now let’s get back up, and…” He noticed the doors up the stairs were closed. “Huh…”

“What do we do?” Ryuji asked.

Ren thought for a moment. “Let’s head outside and collect our thoughts.”

“Good idea,” Makoto said. They passed by the pit, and went back outside.

As they walked out, they heard another voice. “Well Phantom Thieves,” they said. They turned to find a girl with orange hair and glasses, dressed as an Egyptian princess descending from the air. “You made it past the first trap. As to be expected. However, I told you our deal was terminated.”

“You must be Futaba,” Makoto said.

“That’s right,” she answered. 

“Wait, you set that up, knowing we were coming?” Ann asked. Futaba nodded. “But how?”

Futaba’s face glitched for a second, and when it came back, she had an arrogant look on her face. “Fools. I have Sojiro’s cafe bugged. I heard your little plan to try and break in. How did you think I figured you out in the first place?”

“Ummm, what’s going on?” Ann asked in response.

“Why did you choose those voices?” Yusuke asked. “They were quite disturbing, to say the least.” 

Futaba’s face glitched again. When it returned this time, she was crying. “I didn’t choose those voices,” she moaned. “They’ve been with me for a while. Ever since I…I killed her…”

Ren steeled herself. “Futaba! Sojiro told us what happened. We’re here to help.”

Futaba’s face glitched again, and when it came back, she was angry. “Why?! I’ve got it all figured out! I’m helping you! You don’t need to do anything!”

Ren shook her head. “What you’re doing won’t help us. Not in the long run. We don’t want anyone’s blood on our hands, and that includes yours. So in order to protect you, we’re going to steal your treasure!” she declared.

“Grrrrr,” Futaba hissed. Her face glitched again, and it went back to arrogant. “Well, I’d like to see you try! This place is stacked with all sorts of traps. Not to mention my guards.” It glitched again to sad. “Please don’t. You'll only end up dead. Then who will save Japan?” It glitched again to the Futaba they first met. “I believe in you.” She disappeared.

The Phantom Thieves were left confused. “Um, what just happened?” Ryuji asked.

“It looks like we’re getting a taste of what being your own crusader is like,” Jose pointed out.

“Did you notice her face would…stop existing for a second… before she continued to speak?” Yusuke said, unsure of how to phrase it.

“She must be conflicted about all of this,” Makoto said.

“I would too,” Ann said.

“Especially after hearing all those voices,” Morgana pointed out

“You OK Violet?” Ren asked.

“Yeah…” Sumire said. “Thank you for being there.”

Ren smiled. “It’s what I do.”

“Perhaps we should call it here for today,” Makoto suggested.

“Right,” Ren said. They left the place , and went back to the real world.

They soon entered LeBlanc. Thankfully, there were no customers, so they could talk freely. “So, how’d it go?” Sojiro asked.

“Well…” Ann said. They explained what had happened.

By the end of it, Sojiro went pale. “Dammit!” he cursed. “I wish there was more I could do.”

Sumire approached him. “You were there when Futaba had no one else, right?” she said. “That’s worth its weight in gold.”

Ren nodded. “You can leave the rest to us.”

Sojiro smiled. “Thanks.” He steadied himself. “Well, you all must be hungry. Let me get dinner started.”

“Thanks boss!” they all said. They sat down.

“Sooo, when are we going back in?” Ryuji asked.

“Tomorrow,” Ren said.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“Hear me out,” Ren said. “Previously, both the palace ruler and the crusader needed some time to recuperate after we stole the treasure. Now that they are the same person, that might strain Futaba even more.”

“Oh,” Ryuji responded. “I guess that makes sense.”

“Besides,” Makoto said, “we need as much time as we can possibly get. Remember, we have until the 21st of August before the Cleanse and the Counter-Cleanse.”

“Tch,” Sojiro grunted. The thieves looked at him. “Huh? Oh, you heard that. Sorry.” He sighed. “It’s just, that’s the day Futaba’s mom…”

“Oh,” Makoto said.

Ryuji slammed his fist. “Those bastards!”

“Woah!” Ann reacted. “Calm down.”

“Yeah, unlike last time, what are the odds that Medjed selected that day for that reason?” Yusuke asked.

“I know,” Ryuji said, frustrated. “But still!”

Sumire snickered. “Thanks Ryuji-senpai.”

Ryuji was confused. “Uhhhhh…”

“Oh!” Sumire exclaimed. “What I mean is, I like that you’re getting angry on Futaba’s behalf. I think she needs something like that.”

“You really think so?” Ryuji asked.

Sumire nodded. “I mean, I liked it when you got angry with me when you were helping me out of my rut earlier.”

Ryuji smiled. “Heh.”

“I agree,” Jose said. “We want to let Futaba know we are fighting for her, not against her.”

“Well said Jose,” Ren said. “So, the plan is to go back in tomorrow, and try to get this done as soon as possible. Got it?” The others nodded. “It’s not going to be easy, but I’m sure we can do it!”

“YEAH!” the others called out.

“Dinner’s ready!” Sojiro said. He served them all. After they ate, they headed out. They had a long day ahead of them tomorrow, but after what happened today, they were more than willing to do it.

Notes:

So, yeah, for the reasons stated in the chapter, the next chapter will be the palace exploration proper. And after that, is the bid for the treasure. And then the rest of the summer is going to mainly focus on confidants, with some Mementos missions in there. (There might be more than one Mementos outing, depending on how the confidants go). I'm doing this because it makes sense, but also to help me figure out confidants. Because from here on, things will start getting more plot-involved, and I want to be sure I can get to all the confidants. I'm sure I can, but this is nice to have. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 91: Futaba's Palace

Notes:

So, with this being Futaba's palace, it's going to be an emotional roller coaster. And with some of the changes...well, without spoiling anything, prepare to cry. I can't guarantee you will cry, but it gets heavy. But still, enjoy, I guess. That's a weird way of phrasing it, but there's still some enjoyment to be had in the chapter, despite how emotional it can be.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

They met at LeBlanc the next day. “Are we ready?” Ren asked.

Everyone except Yusuke nodded. Instead, he raised his hand. “Forgive me, this might not be the time, but do you think this place might be a good base of operations from here on?” Everyone else was a bit surprised. “I was just thinking. And once we’re in the palace, we’d have more pressing things to worry about. So I thought I’d raise the thought here.”

“That’s…actually not a bad idea…” Makoto said.

“Yeah, I like it too,” Ann said.

Ren looked at Sojiro. “Well?”

Sojiro was hesitant. But he said “Maybe keep it to your room after this. But I won’t say anything to anyone, and help where I can.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks boss!”

“Right, now that that’s settled, let’s go in!” Ryuji shouted.

“I agree,” Sumire said. “The sooner we can help Futaba, the better.”

“Then let’s go!” Ren rallied. Everyone left to head into Futaba’s Palace.

Once inside, they were face to face with the pyramid. “Well, at least we don’t have to drive to it again,” Morgana remarked.

“Yeah, but I don’t imagine it getting easier for us,” Ryuji said.

“Well then I’m glad we don’t have to drive again,” Jose said. “We wouldn’t want Mona running on empty.”

“I guess that’s a fair point,” Ryuji consented.

“Thank you Sunshine,” Morgana said.

“No point in waiting,” Ren said. “Let’s head in.” her team nodded, and they went inside. They walked up to the door that locked behind them when they were outrunning the boulder. “I guess it wouldn’t be that easy.”

“No matter how I look at it, I don’t see a point of entry,” Yusuke noted.

“Well, we gotta get through somehow!” Ryuji said.

“Well, this place is kind of big,” Sumire said. “Maybe we can find another way in.”

“Oh yeah!” Ann said. “In these sorts of movies, aren’t there secret entrances and whatnot?” Sumire found herself in a giggle fit. “Did I say something wrong?”

“No no, you’re fine, Panther-senpai,” Sumire responded. Ann was still confused.

“Well, we should start looking for something like that then,” Makoto said. They all nodded.

On their way out, they were stopped by a familiar voice. “What’s the matter? Can’t get through?” They turned to see Futaba sporting her arrogant face.

They walked up to meet her. “Uh, yeah! And it’s your fault,” Ryuji snapped back.

“I’m not the one who triggered the booby trap now, was I?” Futaba retorted. Her face glitched, and she became sad. “I’m sorry. I don’t want to hurt you.” She glitched again, returning to arrogant.

Ryuji sighed. “Here we go again.”

“You suckers could look for a thousand years and not find your way around,” Futaba said. “Why don’t you just give up? It’s not like you’re the first thieves to come to this place?”

“We…aren’t?” Jose asked.

“Nope!” Futaba said. “And they stole something, while you didn’t! Such pathetic thieves.” Her face glitched again, transforming into the Futaba they first met. “If you wish to continue, you need to go to the nearby town, and take back what that bandit stole.”

“Will you help us get through then?” Makoto asked.

“The item in question will be help enough,” Futaba said. Her face glitched to arrogant. “Not like you’ll ever get it.” It then glitched to angry. “Be glad that I’m allowing you to make an attempt at all. Because, if you recall, you’re trying to find a solution that’s already there.”

“We’re trying to find a better solution!” Sumire protested.

“Heh, typical,” Futaba said. “No one listens to me. But you’ll see. You’ll all see!”

“We are listening,” Ren pointed out. “We just don’t like what we’re hearing.”

Angry Futaba growled at them for a bit, before glitching to original Futaba. “Prove yourselves, Phantom Thieves.” They started to leave, but Futaba glitched into sad. “Hey,” she said, getting the thieves’ attention once more. “Be careful. The city is dangerous.”

“What makes it dangerous?” Jose asked.

“It’s not here,” Futaba said. “It’s outside. Outside is scary.” Futaba started to shiver. “I’m getting frightened just by thinking about it!”

The thieves were a little stunned by this. Ren walked up to her. “We’ll be fine. We promise.”

Futaba didn’t answer for a moment. “...Very well.” The thieves nodded to Futaba and left.

“Ugh, this is going to get tiring,” Ryuji said.

“How do you expect to get a girlfriend if you can’t deal with a woman’s emotions?” Yusuke bluntly asked, catching everyone off-guard.

“Umm, not to fully take Skull’s side,” Ann said, “but I don’t think women are THAT emotional.”

“Not usually,” Makoto said.

“Remember, Futaba is dealing with a lot of things right now,” Morgana said. “It makes sense that her emotions are going all over the place.”

“Right,” Ren said. “It’s important that we be there for her.”

Ryuji paused for a moment, then sighed. “Fine. I guess I’ll put up with it for now.”

“You know Skull,” Jose said, “you seem to find yourself in situations that humble you a lot. Is it possible that you actually enjoy it?”

“What?! No!” Ryuji shouted.

“That was a rather strong reaction,” Jose said.

“Well…” Ryuji said. “It IS an odd question, especially coming from you.”

“What do you mean by that?” Jose asked.

Ryuji looked at him intently. “Just…forget it.”

“Right, we should focus on finding this town,” Makoto said.

“I think I saw it on our way here initially,” Ann said. “It shouldn’t be too far away.” They began their search.

Ryuji walked up to Yusuke “By the way, I’m not sure how you expect to get a girlfriend when you act the way you do.”

“I think that’s where you and I differ,” Yusuke retorted. “I am not trying to get a girlfriend at the moment.”

Ryuji was puzzled. “I don’t think that had the effect you intended.”

Pretty soon, the thieves spotted the town. “That must be it,” Ren said.

“It looks kind of far away though,” Sumire pointed out. “How are we going to get there?”

Morgana sighed. “I guess we gotta drive there.”

Ren chuckled. “You ready?”

“Of course!” Morgana said. “Transform!” He turned back into the van. Everyone got in, and they all headed towards the town.

Once they got there, Ryuji stepped out and said “Well, at least it wasn’t as long as last time.”

“That’s the spirit Skull!” Jose said. “Try looking on the bright side more often.”

Ryuji was confused at first, but couldn't help but smile. “Right. Thanks Sunshine,” he said, tussling Jose’s hair.

“Let's find that bandit,” Ren said.

“Yeah, I don’t want to get upstaged by anyone else,” Morgana said.

They started going through the town. “There isn’t a lot here,” Ann remarked.

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed. “But it certainly has an atmosphere about it. It looks barren, yet it feels like danger is around every corner. Do you mind if I take a quick sketch?”

“Knock yourself out,” Ren said. “But don’t take too long.”

“Very well,” Yusuke said. He got out a small sketchbook and pen and started drawing what he could.

“Do you carry that with you all the time?” Makoto asked.

“Of course,” Yusuke said. “You never know when inspiration will strike. Of course, this is only a small sketchbook, so there’s only so much I can do.”

“I see…” Makoto said.

“And done,” Yusuke said.

“That was faster than the time we went to Mementos,” Ren said.

“That was different,” Yusuke said. “That time, I was preparing my sketching.”

“OK,” Ren said. “Let’s keep going.” They searched through the town.

After finding an open area, Ryuji remarked “Well, I’m out of ideas.”

“We practically searched the whole town,” Ann said.

“There wasn’t a lot to be sure,” Yusuke said.

“There has to be something we’re missing, right?” Sumire wondered.

“Ah, fellow bandits,” said a voice from behind. They turned around to see a shadow. “What brings you here?”

The thieves were stunned. Jose decided to speak up. “Um, did you steal something from the nearby pyramid?”

“That I did,” the bandit shadow said.

“Well, it’s coming with us now!” Ryuji declared. “Hand it over!”

“Aye! Is there no honor among thieves?” the bandit asked. “Very well. If you wish to have my spoils, you must catch me!” The bandit ran off.

“Hey!” Ryuji called out.

“Why’d you do that, Skull?” Ann chastised.

“I’m not sure that one was entirely his fault,” Sumire noted.

“We don’t have time to argue,” Ren said.

“Right,” Makoto agreed. “We need to focus on getting that item back.” They rushed to try and catch up with the bandit.

When they got close, the bandit turned to them and said “Ah, so you’ve found me! No matter. I am fleet of foot! You’ll never be able to catch me fully!” The bandit ran off again.

“I’m sorry…” Ryuji moaned.

“I do think he had any intention of staying still, even if you didn’t provoke him,” Jose said.

“He’ll probably keep running if we chase him,” Sumire said.

“Which means we need to trap him,” Makoto said.

“Where?” Ryuji asked.

“What about that place we met him at?” Makoto said.

Ren nodded. “Sounds like a plan.” They ran off to try and get the bandit to run into the square they found earlier.

Through some cunning, they managed to get the bandit to the square. As the bandit was running into the square though, they bumped into someone. They looked up to see Eris standing before them. The thieves saw this as well. In an instant, Eris drew her sword, and cut down the bandit with ease.

The Phantom Thieves carefully approached Eris. Eris had what the bandit had stolen from the pyramid. “Well well, lookie here. I suppose this is mine now.” The thieves scowled. “Here,” she said, tossing it to Ren. “Aren’t you going to say something?”

“We aren’t thanking you for that,” Ryuji said.

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed. “We could have gotten this ourselves.”

“Oh no, not that,” Eris said. “As appreciated as that would be, I don’t expect your kindness. I was wondering why you aren’t saying things like ‘this time, you’ve gone too far,’ or ‘you crossed the line this time’.”

“What do you mean?” Ren asked. “As heinous as this is, you were never on the other side of the line to begin with.”

“Yeah, for you, crossing the line would entail you being good for once,” Sumire added.

“Oh, now that’s harsh,” Eris said. “We aren’t that dissimilar, are we?”

“Uh, how are we even the same at all?” Ann asked.

“Because, dear Panther,” Eris began, “we’re both sick and tired of the inane bullshit that people like Kamoshida get away with!”

“That’s no excuse!” Ann countered.

“Yeah!” Makoto joined in. “What you’re doing is just as reprehensible!”

“And this time, you aren’t even hiding behind the banner of ousting a bad guy,” Morgana pointed out. “This palace ruler isn’t evil.”

Eris giggled. “Are you forgetting about Medjed? I’m helping you defeat them with this.”

“You don't need to send someone to die to do it!” Jose rebuked.

“Oh, sweetie,” Eris chastised, “do you really think I tell everyone what to do each time? Of course not. Where would the fun be in that? I just unlock their potential, and they do the rest.”

A gunshot rang out. The thieves looked to see that Ren fired. However, Eris dodged it. “Oh ho,” Eris said, intrigued. “Am I getting under your skin?”

“You were always there,” Ren retorted.

“Well, I’m glad to see you're thinking about me,” Eris said, gleefully. “BUT,” she adopted a more serious tone, “you can’t say I’m the worst person you’re up against. After all, I’m giving you the opportunity to fix everything I do. I constantly help you out. I even got this treasure for you, and I’m not going to keep it, even though I could.”

Ren was angry. Sumire stepped forward. “You say you’re doing all of this to be nice, but really, you’re just satisfying your own need for validation!”

“Those are some mighty big words there,” Eris said. “But talk is cheap. If this is already too much for you, I hate to see what will happen by the end of this little adventure. But if you make it, I’ll be waiting.” Eris disappeared.

After a moment of silence, Ren instructed “We got what we came for. Let’s go.” The thieves walked back to where they arrived, and drove back in silence.

When they reentered the pyramid, they found that Futaba was still sad. “Are you guys OK? The town didn’t hurt you, did it?”

That was a somewhat difficult question to answer. However, Ren put a smile on her face and said “We’re fine. In fact, we got this back for you.”

“What is it, anyway?” Ann asked.

Futaba glitched back to her original form. “Well done. It is a map of the pyramid. You may keep it. It will aid you on your adventure here.” She glitched into arrogant. “Yeah, you need all the help you can get.”

“Uh, OK…” Ryuji said.

Futaba switched to angry. “My pyramid is full of traps and guards who won’t hesitate to kill you. All of your problems are already solved. Why can’t you let this go?!”

“Hm,” Ren smirked. “If there's a challenge, we’ll take it on. If there are guards, we’ll fight them. And while you might have dealt with our old problem, we have a new one. Futaba! I promise. We will save you!”

Futaba glitched to sad. “But I can’t be saved,” she said. “I don’t deserve to be saved.”

Sumire cautiously approached her. “I…used to think that too. But these people here? They saved me, and continue to do so. So I know they’ll be able to save you as well.”

Futaba was shocked. She couldn’t comprehend what she had heard. She glitched to her original mode. “Good luck then,” she said. She glitched into angry quickly, and stomped the floor, causing it to open up below them. “Bye bye!” She disappeared instantly.

The thieves found themselves in a pit of quicksand. “Everyone!” Morgana called out. “Swim as fast as you can!” The thieves swam through the quicksand.

Once they were back on solid ground, they caught their breath. “We made it,” Ann said.

“Man, we’re on a rollercoaster of emotions, and we’ve barely scratched the surface of this palace,” Ryuji admitted.

“A bit crude, but accurate, Makoto said. “I don’t imagine things will get more cheery as we progress.”

“But the sooner we do, the sooner we end this nightmare,” Jose pointed out.

“Indeed,” Yuske said. “And now that we have that map, we can start making progress.”

“So, where do we go from here, Joker?” Morgana asked.

Ren had opened up the map. “Well for starters, we have some good news: This appears to be the full map.”

“For real?!” Ryuji asked.

“I guess that makes sense,” Sumire pointed out. “I can’t think of a reason she’d give us a partial map.”

“And it looks like…” Ren said, continuing to read the map, “it’s just a hop, skip, and a jump out of here.”

“Well then, let’s get going,” Yusuke said. The thieves began to explore the lower area of the pyramid. The room was centered on the pit, but there were different levels. Soon, the thieves managed to escape into the next room.

“Alright!” Ryuji said. “There’s a door right there!”

“We’re almost home free!” Ann said.

“Actually,” Ren said, “from reading this map, I think it would be better for us to stay down here.”

“Whu?” Ryuji said, shocked.

“That might be true, Joker,” Sumire said, “but having a way out of here might be beneficial for us.”

“She’s right,” Morgana said “We don’t want to be trapped here, now, do we?”

“I guess that’s a fair point,” Ren agreed. “Let’s go!” They ventured closer to the door. On their way, however, Ren stopped them. “Halt. Look.” She pointed them to a dangerous-looking shadow.

“Should we take it out?” Jose asked.

“Let’s wait until we secure our exit,” Ren said. “That way, if we need to fall back, we can.” Jose nodded. They made their way to the door, and opened it up.

Once they walked out, they found themselves outside of the pyramid. Ryuji sighed. “We’re back here again.”

“At least this time, we’re more prepared,” Makoto said.

“I guess you’re right,” Ryuji admitted.

“Come on,” Ren said. “We’ve got a shadow to take care of.” The thieves nodded, and they headed back down. They approached the powerful shadow cautiously. Ren used her fingers to count down. Three. Two. One. They approached.

“ARGH!” the shadow yelled. “You foolish thieves DARE desecrate Queen Futaba’s tomb?! No more, I say! For you shall perish!” The thieves stood strong, as they prepared to fight.

The battle was fierce, but swift, as the Phantom Thieves took down the shadow. “Woooo!” Ryuji chanted.

“You know, I think I’m getting used to this,” Sumire said.

“However, this guard is nowhere near the treasure,” Yusuke pointed out. “The battles won’t be as easy as we go on.”

Ryuji pouted. “Can’t you let us have this?”

“I think we’ll rest easier, once this is all over,” Ren said.

“Well said,” Morgana replied. “Now let’s see what this shadow was guarding.” The thieves pressed on.

The thieves found themselves in a room that looked like parts of it had been destroyed. At the end, they reached a door. “Hm,” Sumire pondered. “That door looks like the door that’s blocking our way through the pyramid.”

“You mean we’re stuck here?” Ryuji shrieked.

“I don’t think so,” Yusuke said. “Perhaps if we can find a way out here, we can figure out how to venture on.”

“Well then, let’s keep moving!” Morana cheered.

They came across a thing that looked like a giant crossbow. “Woah! That thing looks dangerous!” Ryuji remarked.

“It is,” Makoto clarified. “That’s a ballista. It’s an ancient weapon.”

“Wow, you sure know a lot Queen!” Ann cheered.

“...Please tell me you didn’t have to do make-up tests,” Makoto said, annoyed.

“...Just one…” Ann admitted. Makoto groaned.

“Whatever it is, it looks displaced,” Jose said. “Maybe we should avoid it for now.”

“Good thinking Sunshine,” Ren said. “Let’s keep looking.” They continued venturing around the area.

They soon found a room with a mysterious orb that reflected the light coming through. “What’s this?” Yusuke said.

“It looks like it’s changing which way the light goes,” Makoto said.

“But it appears to be running it into a wall,” Jose remarked.

“...Well, I don’t know what that’s about…” Makoto said.

“There doesn’t appear to be anything we can do about it for now,” Ren said. “Let’s see what else this area has.” They continued looking around.

They found a button. “What do you suppose this does?” Sumire asked.

“Beats me,” Morgana said.

“Hmmm,” Ren wondered. “There’s no harm in pressing it, right?” Ren pushed the button. The ballista went off, taking out a wall. However, the wall it took out was the one blocking the light. With the light free to move, it hit the door, unlocking it.

“Fascinating,” Yusuke said. “So the light hits the door, and the door unlocks. What a marvelous bit of trickery and ingenuity, if I do say so myself.”

“I’ll admit, it is pretty clever,” Makoto said.

“Yeah yeah, the point is, we can continue,” Ryuji said.

“AND we know how to progress further into the pyramid,” Jose remarked.

“Oh yeah, that too,” Ryuji agreed. They ventured down, and went through the door.

On the other side was a tablet. “What’s this?” Ann said “‘Let the light of the god of the underworld be your guide’. What does that mean?”

“Perhaps we should keep an eye out for this ‘light’,” Yusuke proposed.

“Good idea,” Makoto said. They continued on.

They soon found a statue holding a small orb. “Yo, what’s this dog thing?” Ryuji asked

“That is Anubis,” Makoto explained. “The Egyptian god of the underworld.”

“God of the underworld, you say? Jose asked.

“Yeah, don’t we need the light of the god of the underworld?” Ann asked.

“Well, we are thieves,” Ren said. She snatched the glowing, small orb. “Now how will you guide us?” They continued on.

They found another statue close by. “Hey, another one of those dog statues!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“...His name is Anubis,” Morgana pointed out. “It’s not hard to remember.”

“Ah, whatever it is, we’ll just take the thing it has, right?” Ryuji countered.

“...You know, it’s not too late to change your codename to ‘Bonehead’, right?” Morgana said.

Ryuji grew angry. “Alright then, ‘Kitty’.” Morgana groaned. “Yeah, now you know the game we’re playing.”

“When will you two learn to get along?” Ann asked.

“I think I know the answer, but I don’t wanna say it,” Ren said, impishly. She took the orb. “Regardless, we got what we needed. Now let’s move.” The thieves continued on.

They soon found themselves face to face with another one of those light reflecting panels. They looked over and found that they were at the entrance to the Pyramid. “Huh. So, this is where we started,” Yusuke remarked.

“And it’s another of those light reflectors too,” Jose pointed out.

“But how do we turn it?” Sumire asked.

Ren smirked. “‘Let the light of the god of the underworld be your guide’,” she reminded them. She walked over to the end of the room, and found two pedistals. She placed each of the orbs in them. The light panel shifted, and faced towards the door, unlocking it.

“Nice! I bet you didn’t need to take any make-up tests,” Makoto said.

“Actually I had to redo all of them,” Ren said. Makoto’s face went pale. “Relax, I’m joking.”

Makoto sighed. “You had me worried for a second.”

“Just trying to take the edge off with a little humor,” Ren said. “Now that we’ve had our fun, let’s go.” One by one, the thieves dropped down to the floor below.

“‘We’ had fun, she says,” Makoto moaned. She followed her comrades down.

They approached the door, and it opened. They continued up the stairs until they found themselves against another door. “What?!” Ryuji exclaimed. “This bites.”

“I don’t think it was ever going to be that easy,” Sumire said.

“Yeah, but can’t it be easy just once?” Ryuji asked.

“Ah, come on Skull,” Ren said. “Where’s your sense of adventure?”

“Besides, we’re doing this for Futaba-chan!” Ann said. “We can’t forget that!”

“You’re right,” Ryuji admitted. “Let’s go!” They continued on into the next part of the pyramid.

As soon as they walked in the door, they saw Futaba. She was currently angry. She stomped her foot again, causing the floor between them to fall, leaving a pit of spikes. “Heh heh heh,” she laughed. She glitched to her original form. “My apologies. If you can make it through, follow me.” She walked into the adjoining room.

“And how are we supposed to get over it?” Ryuji asked.

Ren looked up. “Simple. See that?” Ren pointed to a gold latch. She used her grappling hook to hook onto it and fly across the pit. “Now you try.” The thieves used their grappling hooks to launch themselves to where their leader was. Once on the other side, they followed the direction Futaba went. However, before they could make it in the room, arrows shot out of the floor in front of them.

“Ha! You really fell for that?” Futaba said, having turned into her arrogant mode. “That was obviously a trap.” She glitched and became sad. “I’m sorry. You don’t deserve that. Just turn back before you die.” Futaba disappeared.

“This is giving me a headache,” Ryuji said.

“Well, whatever we’re feeling, we need to get into that room,” Yusuke said. “Look!” He pointed towards another light reflector.

“Hm, there has to be a way to deactivate that trap,” Makoto thought.

“Well, we won’t find it by just standing here,” Ren said. “Let’s get a move on.” They followed the path they could take.

They soon found themselves in a room  that was practically a spiral staircase. They went around and up and found another Anubis statue. “Oh hey, another one of these dog statues,” Ryuji said. “Do we need another light?”

“Hold on,” Ann stopped him. “There’s another inscription. ‘Those who take this light will find themselves cursed’? What?”

“We better not then…” Sumire said. “You know what curses do here?”

“Right,” Ren agreed. “Let’s leave it here for now.” They went on to the next room.

As they progressed, Jose noticed something on the walls. “Hey!” He pointed it out to the rest of the team. Along a section of the walls were a series of holes.

“Don’t darts usually shoot out of those?” Ann asked, worried.

Ren ventured close to the section, but nothing happened. “Huh.” “Oh!” Sumire exclaimed. “Maybe THAT is the curse from earlier.”

“Maybe…” Makoto said.

“Well, I’m glad we didn’t pick up that orb then,” Ryuji said.

They continued on and found another button. Ren pressed it, right away. They heard a click. “Huh,” Ren remarked.

“Do you think the trap deactivated?” Yusuke asked.

“It seems like it,” Makoto said.

“Well then, let’s head over,” Ren said. They walked back. They passed by the Anubis statue again. “Hmmm. You wanna take it now?”

“What?!” Sumire shrieked.

“Well, we did already pass through the area that was cursed,” Makoto said. “We don’t need to go back there again.”

“Plus, with how this place is laid out, we might need it,” Yusuke said.

“And if we don’t, we can sell it,” Ren said. “So it’s a win-win.” Ren grabbed it.

“You are now cursed!” said a mysterious voice.

“Why do I think I just lost?” Ryuji said. They continued on back.

They found their way to the room that Futaba went into earlier. They stepped through, and to everyone’s delight, the tap did not set off. They ventured through the area for a bit.

They soon found another one of those spiral rooms. In the middle was a door blocked by one of those light barriers. Continuing further, they found another button. They pressed it, causing a light panel to reflect the light to open the door. “Oh, cool,” Ryuji said. He then glanced over to see another door. “But why do we need it? It looks like we can go through here.”

“Looks can be deceiving,” Sumire reminded him.

Ren picked up a piece of rubble and threw it towards the hall. After a certain point, a series of darts started running through, downing the rock. “I guess that’s what the curse does,” she remarked.

“Does that mean we have to go all the way back?” Ryuji asked.

“Hold on,” Jose said. “Look over there. There’s another Anubis statue.”

“Perhaps it’s in charge of the curse in this area,” Yusuke suggested.

“And it looks like that door that we just opened is the way to get there,” Sumire said.

“It’s worth a shot,” Ann said. They headed down, through the door, and up to the Anubis statue.

Ren placed the orb in the Anubis statue. The aura of the area shifted. “Huh,” Yusuke reacted. “I feel like this area feels different. Perhaps the curse has been lifted.”

“Man, we had to bring that from elsewhere,” Ryuji said.

“Just be glad we brought it at all,” Morgana said. “Otherwise, we’d have to severely backtrack.”

Ryuji sighed. “Little victories, I guess.” They pressed on upwards. They passed by the now uncursed area and found a button. Like with all good buttons, they pressed it. A ballista  went off, destroying the wall blocking the light in the room below.

“Woah, that was loud,” Ann said.

“Maybe, but it looks like we can continue,” Makoto pointed out.

“Good, because I am done with curses,” Ryuji said.

“I have a feeling they might not be done with you,” Ren said, jovially. Ryuji was a bit peeved. She dropped down, and the rest of her team followed. Back in the room with the light panel, they climbed up to the newly opened area.

They started to go through the place the ballista opened up, but Morgana paused for a moment. “I sense a Will Seed,” he alerted them. “Over there!” He started walking over to an off-shoot. The others followed him. Sure enough, a Will Seed door was right there.

“Strange that it’s out in the open like that,” Makoto pointed out.

“Again, little victories,” Ryuji pointed out.

“Yeah, but that’s not the end of the strangeness,” Morgana pointed out.

“What do you mean?” Jose asked.

“Well,” Morgana began, “something about this feels off. For lack of a better word, it doesn’t feel like the Will Seed…belongs to the palace ruler?”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“But how?” Ann asked.

“Not sure,” Morgana said.

Ren grew curious and determined. “Well, let’s see what nabbing it does.” Ren cut down the vines and walked it. When they did, they felt what Morgana was talking about. Still, Ren did as a thief does, and stole it.

Right on cue, the voices started playing. “You think they’re going to cut our funding?”

“What?” Ann said, confused.

“But we’re so close,” another voice said. “Why would they want to stop it now?”

“Eh, you know how it is,” another voice said. “If we don’t have the results they want, they’ll shut us down no problem.”

They then heard a woman’s thoughts. I think we do have the results they want, and that’s the problem.

“Who was that?” Makoto asked.

Then, they heard something else that struck them as surreal. “Now now, let’s not panic.”

“Is that…?” Ann wondered.

Ren nodded. “That sounded like Dr. Maruki’s voice.”

“I’m sure we can figure out a calm and rational way out of this,” Maruki continued. “Isshiki-san, as the head of the project, do you want to raise our concerns to the liaisan?”

“...’Isshiki’?” Sumire wndered.

“Yeah, go talk with your boyfriend,” an earlier voice said.

“H-Hey! Be respectful,” Maruki protested.

“It’s quite alright,” the earlier female thinking voice said. “Our relationship isn’t very secret. I suppose there’s no harm in paying him a visit.”

“Thank you, Isshiki-san,” Maruki said. The remaining voices echoed Maruki’s statement of thanks before fading out.

A little while after the voices faded, the thieves were confused. “What…just happened?” Ryuji asked.

“Did…Futaba witness this?” Ann asked.

“It’s hard to say,” Yusuke said.

“I doubt it,” Makoto said. “Why would we be hearing someone else’s inner monolog?”

“And Dr. Maruki was there,” Sumire said. “That’s a whole new level of weird.”

“Well, this certainly isn’t an ordinary palace,” Jose remarked.

“True,” Morgana replied. “But this just raises further questions.”

“Maybe we’ll have the whole picture once we collect them all,” Ren said.

Everyone nodded. “Right,” Morgana said. “Our primary goal here is getting to Futaba’s treasure room. Let’s get back to that.” The thieves left the Will Seed room.

They entered the area the Ballista freed up. “It’s another one of those light refractors,” Yusuke pointed out.”

Sumire looked to the wall. “Look!” she pointed. “It looks like a picture.”

“But it looks out of order,” Makoto said.

“Maybe we can rearrange it,” Ren said. She approached the panel. Interestingly, it had controls for the picture game. She was slightly confused, but figured it out quickly. She rearranged the picture so it was in order.

Once it was arranged properly. The picture looked like a series of men with bird heads approaching Futaba on a throne. “Are they…reading her something?” Ann wondered.

“It looks like the girl is crying,” Yuske noted. “The emotions of an artist are oft depicted in the art they produce. This one carries an air of sadness to it.”

“‘I should never have had Futaba…’” a voice read out.

“What?” Makoto shrieked.

“‘She was always such a nuisance…’” the voice continued. “It sounds like you caused a great deal of stress to your mother, Futaba-chan. It sounds like she was going through some form of maternity neurosis.” The light refractor spun around, causing the light to blast away the image, and into the next locked door on the staircase.

“That was…” Sumire said.

“From the contents of what they siad,” Makoto began, “it sounded like a suicide note.”

“Perhaps this is from the investigation,” Yusuke posited.

“But then why tell that to Futaba in the first place?” Ryuji asked. “It’s such a shitting thing to do to a kid.”

“Hold on,” Jose interrupted. “Didn’t Boss tell us that it might not have been a suicide?”

“But it was ruled as one,” Ann said.

“Maybe that’s why,” Ren said. “Maybe they WANTED to pin her mother’s death on Futaba.”

“Grrrr,” Morgana hissed. “Truly despicable!”

“I agree!” Ryuji shouted. “You have to be completely heartless to pull some kind of bullshit like that!”

“Um, I know this might not be the most important thing,” Sumire said, “but doesn’t this kind of feel like what the Will Seed rooms feel like?”

“Now that you mention it…” Makoto said.

“Do you think this grew from Futaba’s Will Seeds?” Jose asked.

“Um, maybe,” Sumire said. “It’s just an idea.”

“That makes sense,” Morgana said. “But then whose Will Seed did we find in the Will Seed room?”

“We answer one question, and we come up with two more,” Ryuji said.

“It does feel like we’re dealing with a Mystery-Hydra,” Ren remarked.

“Mystery what now?” Ryuji asked.

Makoto sighed. “Hydra. A mythical serpent where if you cut off one head, two more grow back.”

“Oh,” Ryuji said. “How do you defeat it then?”

“Well, there are many interpretations of that,” Yusuke added. “Though I think the most prominent answer is that you would use the head of Medusa to turn it into stone.”

“Boy, would I like something like that to fight shadows with,” Ryuji said.

“You’d think so, but Perseus solves like 90% of his problems that way,” Ren said. “And I for one think that makes him uninteresting.”

“Percy-what now?” Ryuji asked.

“We can’t keep doing this,” Makoto said. “Let’s just move on.” Everyone nodded. They hopped down, and they made it to the next door.

“Well, on the plus side, we know what to do now,” Yusuke said.

“On the negative side, we don’t know what else is in store for us,” Jose countered.

“True, but nothing ventured, nothing gained,” Yusuke said.

“Let’s move,” Ren said. They went to the next area of the pyramid.

Immediately, they came across another tablet. Makoto took the initiative to read it. “‘When red and blue align, an illusion will form. Only proper guidance shall pass.’”

“What does that mean?” Ann asked.

“I have no idea,” Makoto said. “But these things have helped us before, so we should heed its advice.” They continued on their trek through the pyramid.

When they rounded the corner, they found Futaba again, sporting her arrogant look. “Where have you been?” she said.

“You don’t make this easy for us,” Ryuji countered.

“Says you,” Futaba snarked back. “I know thieves who would have made it to the top by now. But I’ll give you some help. Follow me.” She went through the room. The thieves opted to do the same. Unfortunately for them, Futaba glitched and switched to anger. “PSYCH!” A boulder fell down and started chasing the thieves. The thieves backed up to their position in the hall. “And that’ll keep happening if you try it again!” Futaba faded away.

“Ugh,” Ryuji said. “When will she stop treating us like the enemy?”

“The minute she stops treat herself like an enemy as well,” Ren answered.

“Good point,” Makoto pointed out. “For now, let’s see if we can’t find a way around this.” They nodded. Across the path, they spotted a hole in the wall. “I think that’s our best bet for now.”

They squeezed through the hole, and found a giant room aligned with different consoles. They traversed around the area looking for things, before walking up the stairs and finding another console. Ren tried pressing it, but nothing happened. “Strange.”

“Maybe we need to do something to turn this on?” Sumire suggested.

“You may be right,” Ren said. “Let’s see what we can find.” They continued up the room. They found a door that wouldn’t open. “Man, what is with this room?”

“Alright, I kind of miss the curses now,” Ryuji said.

“You say that, but I would prefer not to get struck by darts via one false move,” Yusuke retorted.

“He’s right,” Jose said. “We just have to think.”

“Ugh,” Ryuji groaned.

Ren noticed a board next to them. She kicked it down, opening up a new pathway to another door. They carefully walked across it, and went inside. “Another tablet.”

“That’s strange,” Makoto said. “This looks blank.”

“Well, we have nowhere else to go,” Jose pointed out. “Maybe there’s something hidden?”

Ren touched the tablet and it lit up. “Thanks Sunshine,” Ren said.

“What does it say?” Sumire asked.

“Ann took a look at it. “It says ‘B01010’.”

“That sounds like a code,” Makoto said.

“But to what, I wonder?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, we won’t figure it out by standing here,” Ren said. “Let’s look for the right outlet for this information. They left the room.

The room shook. “Huh?” Ann wondered.

Suddenly, one of the rows of consoles lit up. “Hm, perhaps that’s related to the slab?” Yusuke said.

“Perhaps,” Ren said. “Let’s investigate.” They walked back down. On their way, they found the slab at the bottom lit up as well. “Hm.”

“Maybe now that we’ve activated the other one, this is active too,” Sumire pointed out.

“They do read the same thing,” Yusuke said.

“So, we’re making progress!” Jose cheered.

“And let’s keep it going!” Ren said. They got to the bottom of the stairs and approached the nearest console. “So, I’m guessing these are linked.”

“But how?” Morgana said. “We have a clue, but we don’t know how these work.”

“Let’s see what happens when we try to touch it,” Makoto said. Ren touched it, and it went away. “Can we turn it back on?” Ren touched it, and it came back on. “Fascinating.”

“And we have that code, right?” Ann asked. “‘B01010’.”

“Well, I’m guessing B is for blue, given the light on the end,” Morgana said, pointing to the blue hologram on the other end.

“Which means…” Ren said. She walked over to where the blue console was, and began pressing the consoles along the line. “Off, on, off, on, off.”

“Well done,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, way to go, Senpai!” Sumire cheered.

Ren blushed. “Thanks.” She focused herself. “Now, let’s see what that console up there does.” They walked back up to it, and Ren pressed the button. They heard a rumble. “Uh-oh.”

“What’s going on?” Ann asked.

“Look!” Jose pointed out. The boulders lined up for the trap started to fall rapidly.

“Ah Hell!” Ryuji said.

“Don’t panic!” Morgana said

Ren furiously pressed the button. However, that only made things worse. She decided to give it a kick, and that stopped the boulders from falling. “Whew.”

“Why did the tablets allow us to do this?” Yusuke asked.

“Probably to scare us,” Ryuji said.

“No. There has to be some other reason,” Makoto said. “Otherwise, it wouldn’t be this layered.”

“Let’s see what the hall is like now,” Ren said. They made their way back to the crawl space. Ren tried crawling through, but couldn’t. Once she emerged back from the crawl space, she said “It’s blocked.” “Well, if we can’t go down,” Sumire said, “why not try going up?”

“Good idea, Violet,” Yusuke said. “We’ve basically been going up in the pyramid 95% of the time anyway.” They climbed up and found a row of boulders covering the walkway. “Huh. How peculiar.”

“So, what now?” Ann asked.

“Hm, perhaps we can hop across these boulders,” Ren said. She climbed up further, and then onto the nearest boulder.

The rest of the thieves soon joined her. “Ha, take that!” Ryuji said, gleefully. “Let’s see how you like getting stepped on!”

“Skull,” Ann said. “It’s a rock.”

“Leave him be, Panther,” Morgana said “It’s nice for him to match wits with something of his own mental capacity.”

“What did you say, you stupid cat?” Ryuji snapped.

“Can we not?” Makoto asked.

“Sorry,” Ryuji said.

Makoto looked at Morgana. “I’m sorry too.”

Sumire giggled. “See? You can be nice to each other.”

They hopped across to the end of the room to find another tablet. “Hm,” Ren wondered. She touched it, and it lit up again.

“Incredible,” Yusuke said. “So, this is the point.”

“And look here,” Ann said. “More codes. We’ve got ‘R01100’ and ‘B10011’.”

“Well, now that we have the codes, let’s go back and see what they do,” Ren suggested.

They turned around, and through the hole they saw the other room. The blue row of holograms reset, and the other row lit up, this time showing a red row. “Nyeh heh heh,” Morgana chuckled. “Looks like we did it after all.” They hopped on the boulders and back down to the room.

Once close to the consoles, Ren began her deduction. “So, B is Blue, which means on, off, off, on, on.” She turned to the other console. “And that makes R Red, so off, on, on, off, off.”

“Neat!” Ryuji said.

“Now, let’s see what that does for us,” Jose said. They walked over to the button they pressed earlier. “Huh. It looks like the tablet changed with the other one we found.”

“Although, last time it set off those boulders,” Yusuke said.

“But we needed them to get access to this set, right?” Ann said. “So I don’t see the harm in pressing it now.”

“I agree,” Ren said. She cheekily pressed the button. Nothing dangerous happened. Instead, the door across the way opened up. “How convenient.”

They walked over to the door, and through the new passage. “Huh,” Morgana said. “So this area was hiding a Will Seed.”

“Well then, let’s take it,” Ren said. “We put in the effort. Why not make it ours?”

“Plus, we might get a better understanding of what these Will Seeds are,” Makoto pointed out.

They continued on and found the Will Seed room. Ren opened it up, and they all entered. Despite the second time in one of these, it still felt weird. Ren grabbed the second Will Seed. The voices played again. “Hey Wakaba,” Sojiro’s voice said. “What’s up?”

“Boss!” Makoto said.

Wakaba sighed. “I’m going to be brief. My team is worried that the project is going to get canceled.”

“Huh,” Sojiro replied. “I’ll see what I can do, but…”

“I know…” Wakaba said. “You can only do so much.”

“I want to do more,” Sojiro said. “You know that, right?”

“Of course,” Wakaba said. “You’ve changed so much since we started going out.”

“Heh,” Sojiro chuckled nervously. “Well, it’s thanks to you.” There was a bit of silence. “What’s wrong?”

“Huh?” Wakaba answered. “Oh, it’s nothing.” Wakaba started thinking again. Sojiro… If it’s too late already, I need to figure out what I need to say to you. There was a kissing sound. “I love you.”

“Hm,” Sojiro chuckled. “I love you too.” The voices faded.

“That was…Wakaba…and Sojiro…” Sumire wondered.

“I don’t know how to feel,” Ann said. “After hearing that, I kind of want them to work out, but…I know how this story ends.”

“Truly, a tragic tale,” Yusuke remarked.

“But these Will Seeds are definitely Wakaba Isshiki’s,” Makoto pointed out.

“So, why are they in Futaba’s palace?” Morgana wondered.

“I’m not sure,” Makoto said.

“Don’t forget,” Ren said. “Wakaba in these memories seems to believe that something big is going on behind the scenes.”

“Well, I mean, she wasn’t wrong,” Ryuji pointed out.

“Right, but hindsight is 20/20,” Jose countered. “I think figuring out what Wakaba knows would be helpful in our situation.”

“She must have known a lot,” Makoto pointed out. “She was the head researcher of the project she was working on.”

“Which I bet is why she felt like she was a dead woman walking,” Sumire said. Silence filled the room.

Ren clenched her fist. “While it is too late to save Wakaba, it’s not too late to save Futaba!”

“Yeah!” Morgana cheered.

Sumire smiled. “Thanks Joker.”

Ren nodded back. “Now let’s head out!” They headed through the area with the holograms, and up to the boulders. They went to the other side, and eventually found where the path continues.

Getting down, they went through the hall, heading for another light refractor. They went into the room the light was pointing toward. In said room, there was another distorted picture. “Looks like this one is more disoriented,” Yusuke said.

“Well, let’s see if we can't fix it,” Ren said. She approached the panel and began rearranging the pieces. Once she finished, the final image was disturbing to say the least.

“Is this…?” Sumire asked.

“It looks like the moment Futaba’s mom died,” Makoto said.

“GodDAMMIT!” Ryuji shouted. “I know Boss told us, but…STILL!”

“We all feel the same way, Skull,” Ann assured him.

Ren looked at Sumire. “Are you OK Violet?” she asked. “We can stop here for today, if it’s too much.”

Tears were dripping down Sumire’s face. She wiped them off. “I’ll be fine. I know what this can do, and I don’t want to let Futaba suffer any more than she has already.”

“Very well then,” Ren said. The refractor turned, causing the light to burst through the image, and unlock the door on the pathway. They hopped down, and climbed the stairs up to meet another door.

“Another one” Ryuji berated.

“Well, we can’t be too far now,” Ann said.

“Panther’s right,” Morgana chimed in. “I feel like the treasure is close.”

“Plus, the map says the treasure is just a little beyond this door,” Ren said.

“I guess that works too,” Morgana said, sarcastically.

“But getting this door open requires us to go through more of the pyramid,” Yusuke said.

“Well, we’ve succeeded so far,” Jose said. “With us being so close, we can’t lose now!”

Ren smiled. “I agree.” They continued onto the next portion of the pyramid.

Upon entering, they were greeted with two marvelous statues. “Such beauty!” Yusuke exclaimed. He got out his sketchbook and took a quick sketch.

“Really?” Ryuji asked.

“I get where he’s coming from,” Ann said. “These are beautiful. Almost as if we’re in another country.”

“Is there not something like this in Japan?” Jose wondered.

“Not really,” Makoto answered. “But Japan has its own distinct history, which is interesting itself.”

“Huh,” Jose replied. “So, different places in the world have different histories. Fascinating.”

“It does merge together eventually,” Ren explained. “But even then, there’s different reactions to the same things by different people.”

“Wow,” Jose said. “So, people are that varied?”

“Of course Sunshine,” Sumire said. “It wouldn’t be fun if we were all the same.” She got a little sad. “Although, I suppose some things might be easier.”

“True,” Ryuji said. “When someone is put up against someone they don’t like, or wish to use like an object, things get nasty.”

“Like the palace rules,” Jose said. “Well, the current one notwithstanding.”

“See, you’re getting it,” Ryuji said.

“As great as this discussion is, need I remind you, we’re still in a palace,” Morgana said. “We can talk all we want outside.”

“Fair,” Ren said. “Let’s keep moving along.” They proceeded to the other side.

Continuing onward, they found a room with a giant pit in the middle of it. “Woah, that’s deep!” Ann said.

“It’s too big to cross as well,” Morgana  pointed out. “We should look for another way around.” They soon found a crawlspace and entered through it. On the other side was a long, sort of labyrinth area. They did some exploring, and eventually found the other side.

They hopped up onto a ledge to find another button. “Seems simple enough,” Ryuji said.

“Indeed,” Ren said. She pushed the button. The ballista across from them destroyed the wall blocking the light.

“Well, that helps the light get through,” Makoto said. “But how do we get across?”

“I assume we’ll find the answer if we keep going,” Jose said.

“I guess…” Makoto replied.

“Well then let’s do it,” Ren said. They hopped back down, and went through another crawlspace.

In the adjoining room, Morgana was drawn to a sarcophagus. “Hey,” he said, alerting the other thieves. “I feel a draft behind here.”

“So, there’s something behind it?” Makoto wondered. “Well, in that case, let’s see if we can’t figure this out.” They continued through the area.

On the far end, they found a suspicious room, and an equally suspicious sarcophagus. “This coffin looks different from the others,” Yusuke remarked

“Maybe there’s something to it?” Sumire wondered.

Ren opened it, revealing a button. “There is.”

“How do you figure this stuff out so quickly?” Ryuji asked.

“You probably could too if you studied more,” Makoto said under her breath.

“Well, pushing buttons has done us good so far,” Ren said. She pressed the button. A rumble was felt.

“What was that?” Ann asked.

“Maybe that coffin from earlier?” Makoto said.

“No harm in looking into it,” Jose replied. They headed back. Sure enough, it had opened up, and there was another button. Ren pressed it, and the wall behind it opened, revealing another Anubis statue.

“Huh,” Yusuke remarked. “This is like the statue we found earlier.”

“Well, we’re back to this,” Ryuji said. “Let’s just take it and go.”

“I’m one step ahead of you,” Ren said, holding the orb in her hand.

“You’re getting frighteningly good at that, you know?” Ryuji said.

“Well, so long as those sticky fingers stay in the metaverse, I’m alright with that,” Makoto said. The Phantom Thieves moved on. They progressed through the area. They came across a pedestal, like the ones they saw before.

“Well, we know what to do now, right?” Ryuji asked.

“Yep,” Ren said, dropping it in. Down below, a path of light formed across the pit.

“My, what a fantastic sight,” Yusuke proclaimed. “It’s beautiful.”

“It also looks dangerous,” Ann said. “If we’re not careful, we may fall.”

“Well then, let’s just be careful,” Ren said, hopping down.

“You say that, but we have Skull here,” Morgana said.

“Hey!” Ryuji shouted. “Who was it that ran across the tightrope to get into Kamoshida’s castle?”

Morgana pouted. “Only because they said I couldn’t row the boat for you.” The thieves followed Ren down to the path of light. They crossed over and found a new area to venture through.

In the room on the other side was a large coffin, with Futaba sitting at it. “Woah, careful!” Ryuji warned. “Something might happen here.”

“Thanks Skull,” Ren said.

“But we have to proceed, right?” Jose asked.

“Doesn’t mean we can’t be careful,” Ann answered.

They walked further in the room to see Futaba was still in anger mode. “You’re alive?!” she said in disbelief.

“Yeah, no thanks to you,” Ryuji retorted.

Futaba glitched and became arrogant. “Heh. You can’t possibly blame me for you falling into such obvious traps.” She glitched to her original form. “Still, the fact that you made it this far is impressive. Not much further to go.”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, puzzled.

Futaba glitched back to arrogant. “But now, you have to deal with, you guessed it, another obvious trap!” She summoned a shadow. “Have fun!” She disappeared.

“Ah, crap!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“So, you filthy vermin have been perusing through Queen Futaba’s tomb like you own the place,” the shadow said. “Well, if you like it so much, why not stay here, FOREVER!” 

“Get ready!” Ren called out. They engaged the shadow in a fight. Again, it was tough, but through it all, the Phantom Thieves came out on top. Despite that, the thieves were a bit tired.

“I don’t know how much further I can go on,” Yusuke said.

“Well, Futaba said we’re close to the end,” Jose said.

“Right,” Ann said. “FOR FUTABA-CHAN!”

“FOR FUTABA-CHAN!” everyone chanted.

“Let’s go,” Ryuji said.

“Hold it,” Ren objected. “Let’s look around here first.” After some looking, they found another Anubis statue. “See?”

Ryuji grinned. “That’s why you’re in charge.” Ren grabbed the orb. They headed for the big coffin at the end of the room, and jumped on it to get to the ledge above. They found another pedestal, which Ren had no hesitation dropping the orb in. Again, a path of light formed, this time on their level.

“Heh,” Yusuke chuckled. “It’s still great even after the second time.”

“You’re just weird dude,” Ryuji snarked. The thieves walked across the path of light. They found themselves in the room they entered, jumping on the statues they saw earlier, as well as the ceiling ornaments.

“Hang on!” Morgana said. “The last Will Seed is around here somewhere!”

“Perhaps we’ll find an answer to all of this,” Makoto said.

“We have to find it first,” Sumire said.

“Hmm,” Ren said, looking around. She managed to figure out how to get up to it. “Sneaky.”

“Alright, but…” Morgana said. “There’s a guard here. They look very strong too.”

“Well, this is the home stretch,” Ren said. “Let’s give it all we got!” They confronted the shadow.

“Thieves!?” the shadow exclaimed. “In Queen Futaba’s tomb? YOU MUST DIE!” The shadow attacked, but the thieves attacked back. Despite the overwhelming might of the shadow, the thieves eventually came out victorious.

“I thought I was getting used to this,” Ann said. “But boy, am I tired.”

“We’ve been in here a while,” Ren assured her. “A lot has happened.”

“Talk about an understatement,” Makoto remarked.

“Anyways, let’s head in,” Ren said. She opened the door, and the thieves entered. The odd feeling was beating upon them. Ren grabbed the last Will Seed.

The voices began. “Hey,” Sojiro said, excited. “I have a surprise for you.”

“Sojiro… You’re so sweet,” Wakaba said. “But…”

“Is something the matter?” Sojiro asked.

After a bit of hesitation, Wakaba said “I feel like I’m going to die soon.”

“WHAT?!” Sojiro said, shaken to his core. “What’s happening? Are you OK? What can we do?”

“Sojiro…” Wakaba said again. “There are forces greater than me who wish me dead. Soon, they will get what they want.”

“But…but…” Sojiro stammered. “It can’t be greater than us! I’m sure we can figure something out!”

“It’s OK Sojiro,” Wakaba said.

“No! It’s not!” Sojiro protested. “It can’t be! Nothing about this is alright!”

“Sojio…” Wakaba said. “I know. I hate it, you hate it, Futaba will hate it. But I fear it’s already too late to do anything about it.” There was a brief pause. “Sojiro, when we first met, you wanted to appear as strong as the coffee you made. And now, you are, and I love you for it. You mean everything to me, and I would trade the whole world for one more day with you. You’ve become such a wonderful person.

If things were different, if things aren’t happening the way they are, I can imagine a beautiful life for us. But as things stand, I’m not going to be there with you. So please, promise me you will continue to be your best self. Caring, witty, honest. Be the man I fell in love with.”

Another pause. “I will.”

“And take care of Futaba for me,” Wakaba said.

“I will,” Sojiro said. “If I didn't do that, I wouldn’t be worthy of seeing you again when my time comes.”

“Sojiro…” Wakaba said.”If you say things like that, it’ll only make me sadder.”

“Sorry,” Sojiro apologized.

“It’s alright,” Wakaba responded.

The voices ended. “What the fuck?” Ryuji said

“That was…” Makoto said.

“The conversation Boss told us about,” Sumire finished. Silence filled the air.

The three Will Seeds jolted and started fusing together into the Crystal of Wrath. It then started projecting an image. Wakaba was looking at some of her notes. “Alright, and if I do this…then it should work,” She said. She applied the steps and created a concoction. “There.” She drank the potion. “Ghuh!” she said after she finished. “Now I have to wait a bit.” It flashed forward to breakfast the next morning.  “Good morning Futaba.”

“G’morning mom!” Futaba said.

As Wakaba was preparing their food, she snuck out a needle, and pricked her finger with it. She let the blood drop into one of the plates of food. She mixed it in so you couldn't see it. She then gave the plate with the blood in it to Futaba. “Here you go!”

“MMMM!” Futaba exclaimed. She started eating her food. “Yummy!”

Wakaba’s thoughts began taking over again. I’m sorry I’m doing this to you, Futaba. You’re just a child. You’re my child. But out there, there are forces that are willing to do anything for power, and right now, their aim is to kill me. I don't know how, I don’t know when, but I hope one day, my message will get to you, and you will be able to avenge me. I know it’s not entirely right, but you are my hope, you are my light, you are my everything. Thank you for being you. I’m sorry for being me.

The video ended. “What was that?” Jose asked.

“It appears to be a plan by Wakaba Isshiki revolving around Futaba,” Yusuke remarked.

“So, why did she need that potion?” Ann asked. “Why did she feed Futaba a drop of her blood?”

“I don’t fully understand,” Makoto said. “But, from the looks of things, it appears to be the reason these are Wakaba Isshiki’s Will Seeds.”

“But all we’ve seen in this palace is what Futaba perceives,” Ryuji remarked. “We haven’t seen anything influenced by Wakaba.”

“Futaba’s emotional reaction to her mother’s death must have been very strong,” Sumire said. “It’s no surprise to me that the palace is mostly ruled by Futaba’s emotions.” Another silence persisted. Ryuji broke it with “Yeah….”

“Well, despite all of that,” Ren said, “we are done with this room. I suggest we wrap this mission up, and worry about all of that at a later time.”

“Good point,” Morgana said. “Let’s roll.” The thieves left the final Will Seed room, and proceeded across the way.

In the room with the light refractor, there was a completely jumbled mural. “Huh?” Ann said in reaction to it. “I can’t even begin to tell what this is.”

“Well, this is our last hurdle,” Ren reminded them. She stretched her arms while cracking her knuckles. “Let’s get to work. She used the panel to rearrange the mural. Once she was finished, the image seemed less depressing than the last one of these, but felt just as somber.

“A young girl, tugging at her mom’s clothes,” Yusuke noted.

“Mom,” said Futaba’s voice. Everyone’s hair stood on end. “I’m sick of eating dinner alone. Always take out bento from the convenience store. I wanna go out somewhere. I wanna be with you.”

“Now now Futaba,” Wakaba’s voice said. “You know I’m doing this for us! Stop being so ungrateful.” The voices faded.

“Um, what was that?” Ryuji asked.

“It sounded like Futaba wanting to spend time with her mother,” Ann answered.

“But doesn’t this seem odd?” Jose pointed out. “In the Will Seed room, Wakaba called Futaba her ‘everything’, and in this, she seems distant to her.”

“It probably has to do with how Futaba processed her mother’s death,” Sumire said. “It’s not an easy thing to deal with.”

“Correct,” Futaba said. The thieves turned to see Futaba in her original form. “It has been difficult.” Her face glitched to sad. “I killed her!”

“What?!” Ryuji reacted.

“I killed her, and I deserve to die!” Futaba continued. “She’s waiting for me. She’s waiting to strike!” Her face glitched to angry. “And soon, I’ll give her what she wants!” Her face glitched again, this time to arrogant. “But not before I give those Medjed babies the spanking of a lifetime!” She glitched back to her original form. “Help.” She faded away.

The refractor turned, and blasted the picture away, and unlocked the door on the stairs. Without a word, the thieves proceeded to the stairs, and up to where the door is. It opened, and they looked stunned. A wall was in their way now.

Ryuji tried forcing it open, to no avail. “It won’t budge!”

“There has to be something,” Makoto said.

“Right, the treasure is just beyond here,” Ren added.

“Maybe we’re missing something,” Yusuke pointed out.

“Correct,” Futaba said again. The thieves turned, and were once again faced with Futaba’s original form. “You need permission from the Queen to enter.”

“Huh. OK,” Ryuji said. “Then, can you let us in?” Futaba shook her head. “WHAT?!”

“I am not the Queen you need.”

“But…ugh!” Ryuji said, defeated.

“Mona, what does she mean?” Ann asked.

“While she is the Queen, we need permission from Futaba in real life,” Morgana explained.

“Oh, I get it,” Ann said.

“You may be able to do it,” Futaba said. “But bare in mind, we aren’t ourselves. Even outside of everything.”

Ren nodded. “I think we got the idea.” Futaba nodded back and faded.

“Woah,” Ryuji said. “That was the first time she didn’t glitch out.”

“Like you say Skull, little victories,” Jose replied.

Ryuji smiled. “Yeah. Little victories.”

“So, we need to get Futaba to grant us permission, huh,” Yusuke said.

“We should be able to do so with Boss’s help,” Ann said.

“Oh hey, since we’re so close to the treasure, why don’t we prepare a calling card?” Ryuji offered. “That way, once we get in there, we can make a break for the treasure.”

“That’s…actually a really good plan, Skull,” Makoto said.

“Great! So, you’ll help?” Ryuji asked.

“I think we’ll all help on this one,” Ren said.

“Yeah, I think this is bigger than any one of us,” Sumire added.

“Huh. Well, OK then,” Ryuji said. “Well then, let’s do it tonight over dinner.”

“Good thinking,” Yusuke said. “I’m starving.”

Ren nodded. “Tomorrow, we strike.” Everyone nodded back. They left the pyramid, and then headed back to the real world.

They walked into LeBlanc. Sojiro could tell they were exhausted the minute he laid eyes on them. “Woah! It looks like you all went to Hell and back.”

“Personally, I think Hell would be a better alternative to what we experienced,” Ryuji said, surprising Sojiro.

“It was a lot,” Sumire admitted.

“Yeah, but when you witness your own mother’s death, ‘a lot’ might be the best case scenario,” Ren added.

Sojiro sighed. “I’m sorry for making you do all of this.”

“No, it’s alright,” Makoto said. “Oops!’ she said, covering her mouth. Sojiro was confused. “Sorry.”

“What are you saying sorry for?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, uh, it’s complicated,” Jose explained.

“We’ve crossed that bridge seven or eight times already,” Sojiro retorted.

“Well…” Ren began. She explained what happened in the palace, and also with the Will Seeds, and how they heard Sojiro and Wakaba’s final conversation, as well as what they saw happen with Futaba.

Sojiro was pale as a ghost. “Well damn.”

“Yeah…” Ren said. “You OK?”

“I’ll be alright,” Sojiro said. “It’s in the past. What’s done is done. I’m just glad we have a fighting chance to save Futaba while we can.”

“Do you think you could explain any of what we saw?” Yusuke asked.

“Well I could try,” Sojiro said. “But you look like you could use some rest. I’ll explain it when you’re not fresh off the battlefield.”

“Thank you,” Yusuke said.

“So, would you help us with getting Futaba to let us in?” Ryuji asked.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Sojiro answered.

“Oh!” Sumire said. “If you don’t mind me asking, what was the surprise you had planned for Wakaba?”

Sojiro smiled hollowly. “It was nothing. Now, let’s get you kids something to eat.”

“Thank you,” they all said. While Sojiro was preparing them dinner, the thieves took time to write up a draft of the calling card. They agreed to let Makoto apply the finishing touches after she went home. Sojiro served them their food, and they ate it voraciously. Soon after, they all went home.

Sojiro stood in his cafe. He reached into his pocket, pulled out a small box, and opened it up, revealing a diamond ring. “Nothing at all,” he said. He put it back in his pocket, and headed home himself.

Notes:

Truth be told, I wasn't planning of letting Ryuji say "fuck" because I wanted to keep the joke alive, but I figured that moment made sense for him to do it.

But yeah, speaking of, Wakaba's Will Seeds. I've been debating what to do about the Will Seeds in Futaba's palace pretty much since I decided to the voices and breaking points in the Will Seed rooms. The pictures kind of do what I'm writing the Will Seeds do. And then it hit me to do this. Without saying too much, it goes along with what I've been planning, and it makes sense because Wakaba was the head of the cognitive psience research team, so she would know some hidden tech.

I do hope you like what I have planned, but part of me understands if you don't. Creating an alternate timeline can mean really deviating from canon at times. While I am making significant changes, I hope to keep the spirit of the game intact.

One other thing. These Palace chapters are the longest chapters in this story, and I'm afraid they will keep getting longer. I don't mean that apologetically either, I am GENUINELY afraid they will get longer. This one cracked 22 pages on Google Docs, and I think this is the most true to form palace so far. It'll be fine if they get longer, but boy will it be strenuous.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

Chapter 92: Ghosts

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The Phantom Thieves arrived at LeBlanc the next day. “Are we all rested up and ready to go?” Ren asked.

“As ready as I can be,” Ryuji said.

“I’ll take it!” Ren said.

“So, we need to get Futaba to let us into the remaining area,” Ann said.

“But, um, how?” Sumire asked.

Everyone was a little stunned. “That’s…a good question.”

“Well, it probably correlates to a place in the real world that’s blocked off,” Morgana explained.

“But how would she block it off?” Yusuke asked. “And where would it even be? The palace is just Boss’ house.”

“What are you talking about?” Sojiro asked.

“Oh, um, well,” Jose said, caught a little off guard. “We told you that we need help getting Futaba’s permission to enter a part of the palace, but we’re trying to figure out what place that would be in the real world. Do you know a place that you need Futaba’s permission to enter?”

Sojiro smiled. “Of course. And I know just how to get her out too.” Sojiro quickly started preparing some curry. Everyone watched, curious to understand Sojiro’s actions. He got out as big a plate as he could, and placed the curry onto it. “There.”

“Um, what’s that going to do?” Ren asked.

“Trust me, it works every time,” Sojiro said. “Now, can you all escort me to my place? If we’re gonna do this, we’ve got to do this while the curry is hot.” The thieves were a little puzzled, but Sojiro seemed to know what he was talking about. They helped him out the door, and made their way to his place.

On their way, Ryuji asked “Oh hey, you got the calling card Makoto?”

Makoto nodded. “Of course.”

“Thanks. I knew we could count on you,” Ryuji said.

“Right,” Makoto nodded.

It was a short walk from LeBlanc to Sojiro’s house. They walked in, and walked up to a door covered in signs, the most prominent one reading “Keep out!” “Woah, doesn’t this look like the wall we ran into?” Ann asked.

“Of course!” Yusuke said. “A place most private for a young woman is her room!”

“You…say that as if you have experience trying to break in,” Ryuji said.

“How dare you!” Yusuke snapped back. “I wouldn’t enter anyone’s room unannounced. However, whenever I’ve asked some of the girls staying in the dorms at Kosei to model for me, they all close the door on me before I can get a word in edgewise.”

“I’ve seen it happen too,” Jose added.

“Uhhhhh,” Ryuji reacted. “I guess that’s better? But also a little sad…”

“Fret not,” Yusuke said. “After our recent ventures, I have some ideas.”

“Can we just get on with this?” Sojiro asked. He knocked on Futaba’s door. “Futaba!”

“I know what you’re doing!” she shouted back. “And…and…” She sniffed the air. “Is that curry?” She opened the door slightly, and saw the massive plate of curry. “Gimmie!” She reached out.

Sojiro pulled it away. “They told me you bugged the cafe. You know what I want. What we want, I should say.”

Futaba looked out the small opening. As much as she didn’t want to, she couldn’t resist Sojiro’s curry. “Fine,” she relented. She opened her door further. “You may come in.”

The thieves slowly walked into Futaba’s room. It was messy, and filled with all sorts of geeky things. “I have to admit,” Yusuke mused,” I’m glad none of our previous targets had a security system that forced us to get this close to them in real life.”

“Yeah, same here,” Ryuji said. “Kaneshiro would have effin’ killed us.”

“And I’ve been closer to Kamoshida than I ever wanted to be,” Ann said.

“Here you go,” Sojiro said, handing the plate off to Futaba.

“Thank you, Sojiro!” Futaba said. She sat on her bed and started chowing down.

“Heh. Works every time,” Sojiro said.

Ren held her hand out. “Makoto. The calling card.”

“Oh, right,” Makoto said. She handed the card over to Ren.

Ren nodded. Before Futaba could take another bite, Ren held the calling card in her face. Futaba looked up. “Futaba Sakura,” Ren spoke. “We are the Phantom Thieves, and we have come to steal your heart.” Futaba was stunned and looked a little scared. Ren picked up on this, and smiled gently. “We’re on your side, Futaba. We’re fighting for you. Please trust us when we say we will do anything we can for you.”

Futaba was still stunned, but less frightened. She took the calling card, and nodded. “Very well.” She continued eating her curry.

Ren nodded. “Thank you.” She turned to her team. “Let’s go.” They started filing out.

Before they fully left, Sumire turned to Sojiro. “Um, boss, could you keep an eye on her for us?”

“Of course,” Sojiro replied.

Sumire bowed. “Thank you.” She left with everyone else.

Sojiro looked back at Futaba. “Hey, what does that calling card say, anyway?”

“Huh?” Futaba said with a mouthful of curry. She swallowed her food and picked the card back up. “‘Futaba Sakura: The girl lost to sloth. You do not carry the strength to fight your inner demons. As such, they have taken over you, and are controlling your actions. With our strength, we will help you win this long, drawn out battle. From, The Phantom Thieves.’”

The world flashed. Shadow Futaba was standing still. She looked out with a blank expression. Her face was glitching, but it would always reset to that blank expression.

It flashed back to Futaba’s room. She put down the card and continued eating her curry. Sojiro looked on. “I sure hope they can do it…” he said.

The thieves re-entered the palace. Outside the pyramid, they looked up. “Um, doesn’t that light look more intense?” Jose asked.

Sure enough, the light radiating off of the pyramid had grown more erratic. “Well damn,” Ryuji remarked.

“Something like this usually happens,” Ren reminded them. “Right now, our top priority is to steal the treasure.”

Ryuji nodded. “Let’s go then!” The Phantom Thieves entered the pyramid and began climbing the stairs as fast as they could.

One they got to where they were previously walled off, they saw the barrier had disappeared. “Alright!” Ann cheered.

“As exciting as this is, we must always be on guard,” Yusuke reminded them.

“Fox is right,” Makoto said. “We don’t know what lies ahead.”

“Aw,” Ann pouted.

“Nya heh,” Morgana said. “Don’t worry. We can handle anything! Because we’re the Phantom Thieves!”

Ann giggled. “Thanks Mona!” Morgana blushed a little.

Ren nodded. “Let’s keep moving! The treasure isn’t too far from here!” Everyone else nodded as well. They continued onward, engaging in some battles along the way. Soon enough, they made it to the door of the treasure room. “Hold it!” Ren called. “Just be ready. We have no idea what’s going to happen.” Her team nodded. She opened the door, and they walked in.

The treasure room was dimly lit and mostly barren. In the middle of the room was a coffin. “Well, I think I might know where the treasure is,” Ryuji remarked. They all walked over to the coffin. Ryuji tried pushing it open. “It won’t budge.”

“And it never will,” said Futaba. The Thieves looked to see Futaba in her angry mode yet her entire body was twitching, as if it wanted to glitch out as well. “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!”

Ren smirked. “What we’ve set out to do!”

Futaba’s face glitched, more violently than they had previously seen. She was now sad. “But why?” she asked. “I don’t deserve saving. I’ve accepted my fate.”

There was a loud roar coming from outside. “Wh-what was that?” Sumire asked, panicked.

Futaba’s face glitched again, this time into arrogant. “THAT is what’s going to kill me!” She raised her arms,crossing them. “But not before I deal with you lowlives!” She straightened her arms, and trapped her and the thieves in a green light cube. The thieves were on edge. “Heh heh heh.”

Back in the real world, Futaba had finished her curry. “Ah! Thank you, Sojiro.” Sojiro smiled back at her. “But, getting back to the matter at hand… Why are you doing this?”

Sojiro was taken aback by the question. “I’m doing what any parent would do when their child is in danger.” Futaba frowned. “Futaba. You know your mother loved you, right?”

“But…but…” Futaba stammered.

“Listen to me,” Sojiro said. “You’re a smart girl. You have to know what they said is a lie. Hell, I’m a blithering idiot, and even I can see that.”

Futaba continued to be upset. She knew Sojiro was right mentally, but emotionally she just couldn’t be sure. She picked up her phone. “Huh? What’s this?”

Sojiro looked. It was the app Ren had shown him that allowed them to become the Phantom Thieves. Futaba pressed it. “Futaba!”

“Navigating,” Futaba’s phone said.

Sojiro watched on in horror as Futaba disappeared without a trace. “FUTABA!”

Futaba was shocked. She looked around to see ancient Egyptian architecture around her. “Wha…What’s this?” she wondered aloud. “Where am I?” She saw a door on the other side of the room. “I guess there’s no way to go but forward.”

She began walking, however, she was confronted with the image of the people reading her mom’s “suicide note.” She panicked. “N-no!”

Angry Futaba appeared in front of her. “Your mother hated you! She hated you Futaba!”

A roar was heard. “Huh?” Futaba reacted.

“That’s a lie!” a voice in Futaba’s mind said. “That was all a lie! I never regretted you for a second!”

“M-mom?” Futaba said. “She…didn’t regret me?” She looked at the image again and slowly walked up to it. It soon disappeared, along with Angry Futaba. She continued on, but was then met with the image of her mom getting hit by a car. She gasped.

Sad Futaba appeared. “She’s dead,” she said. “She’s dead, and it’s all your fault. You must be brave to have lived with it for as long as you have.”

Another roar was heard. Another voice played in Futaba’s head. “They’re wrong. You didn’t kill me. The ones who say you did are the ones to blame.”

Futaba gasped. “I didn’t kill mom?” She walked forward, and the image before her disappeared, as did Sad Futaba. Just as she was getting close to the door, the image of her tugging at her mom appeared to her. “Huh?”

Arrogant Futaba appeared as well. “Look at her! She thinks she’s too good for you. She thinks she’s better off without you.”

A third roar let out. Just like before, a voice played in Futaba’s head. “Futaba. While I may have been a little harsh at times, I never stopped loving you. You were the best thing to happen to me. I’m sorry I couldn’t convey that in a way you’d understand.”

Futaba clenched her fists. “No. I understood. I’m sorry I lost sight of it.” She walked forward, full of confidence. The image, and Arrogant Futaba disappeared. She approached the door, and proceeded to open it.

Meanwhile, the Phantom Thieves were fighting off shadows. However, when defeated one, another would pop up at the order of Futaba’s shadow. “Dammit!” Ryuji exclaimed. “We ain’t gettin’ nowhere with this!”

“If only we can get to Futaba herself,” Yusuke noted.

After slaying another shadow, Sumire called out “Mona! The two of us are the most agile! Why don’t we try rushing her?!”

“Heh, sounds like a plan, Violet!” Morgana replied. He dealt with a nearby shadow and started running up. Sumire followed suit. They were dodging enemies in order to get closer. Shadow Futaba summoned a shadow to block the both of them. However, Jose took out the one blocking Morgana with his sniper rifle, and Ren took out the one blocking Sumire with one of her Personas.

The two continued on. Shadow Futaba looked a little scared. They began to strike, but Shadow Futaba backed up before their blows could land. She then summoned more shadows to surround the two. “Drat!” Morgana said.

“VIOLET!” Ren called out.

“We’re alright, Joker!” Sumire assured her. “This is nothing!”

“But if we don’t end this soon…” Panther worried.

“Heh,” Shadow Futaba laughed. “Like I have any intention of letting you end this!”

“What’s going on?!” Futaba called out. Everyone looked over to see the real Futaba standing before them.

“WHAT?” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Is that…the real Futaba?!” Makoto asked.

One of the shadows walked over to Futaba. “No!” Ren called out, trying to chase them.

“Queen Futaba,” the shadow said. “What is your command?” Everyone paused.

“Ummmmm,” Futaba said. “Stop fighting?”

“As you wish,” the shadow said. All of the shadows disappeared, except for Shadow Futaba.

Shadow Futaba glitched to angry. “How did you get in here?!” she asked.

“Um…” Futaba said. “I found this weird app on my phone…”

“SHE has the app?” Yusuke exclaimed.

Shadow Futaba glitched to arrogant. “Heh. You think you belong with them? Newsflash: You’re so much better than that!”

“Hey!” Ann shouted. “You want her to die! I think we’re better company at the moment!”

Shadow Futaba glitched to sad. “But…she deserves it.”

The Phantom Thieves were frustrated. “Hey! Phantom Thieves!” Futaba called out. “Do you see it?”

“Um, see what?” Jose asked.

“Whenever her face glitches, there appears to be something behind it!” Futaba informed them.

“What?!” Morgana said.

Shadow Futaba glitched to arrogant. “THERE! Did you catch that?”

“Unfortunately, no,” Yusuke said.

“But now we know it’s there,” Ren said. She drew her gun.

“And now that you know my weakness, I won’t expose it,” Shadow Futaba said.

“Grrr,” Futaba hissed.

Ann turned to Ryuji. “Skull! Say something to aggravate her!”

“Wha, me?!” Ryuji replied.

“You are the best candidate for the job,” Yusuke informed him.

“Yeah, you did such a good job yesterday,” Morgana continued.

“Fine,” Ryuji relented. “Um…Hey! Ancient Egypt sucks!”

“Really?” Ann said

“How rude,” Futaba said.

“Heh,” Shadow Futaba laughed. “You think such petty remarks bother me coming from a lesser being such as you? Pah! I’ll have you going down as smoothly as one of Sojiro’s coffees.”

“Wait, you like that shit too?” Ryuji snapped back. “It’s so bitter, I can’t even keep it down!”

“What?!” Futaba said.

Shadow Futaba was trying to hold it together, but eventually, she started to glitch. Ren fired her gun at Shadow Futaba. The bullet caught up to her before she could fully switch. A mask fell off Shadow Futaba’s face, while Shadow Futaba herself started to fall. Sumire, Morgana, Yusuke, and Makoto rushed to her aid.

After she descended fully, Futaba rushed over to her Shadow. She dropped to her knees. “I’m sorry.”

Shadow Futaba woke up, revealing her original form. “No. You have no need to apologize.”

“But…I let my emotions get the better of me,” Futaba said. “I made you suffer.”

“You did no such thing,” Shadow Futaba said. “You were used and manipulated to someone else’s ends.”

“I know…” Futaba admitted.

Shadow Futaba smiled. “We’re lucky that we have people like The Phantom Thieves and Sojiro to look out for us.”

Futaba smiled. “Yeah…”

“Now it’s time to return the favor,” Shadow Futaba said. “Let’s stand up to those that wish to harm us.”

“Uh, guys?” Jose said. They looked to see what Jose was pointing out. The mask was gesticulating wildly on the ground, before floating upright in the air. The mask looked like a traditional stone mask, with an etching of the Medjed hieroglyph on the forehead.

The thieves and the two Futabas grew furious. “Starting with them,” Shadow Futaba said.

“Yeah,” Futaba agreed.

The mask started to laugh. “Mhahahahahahaha, Hahahahahahaha, MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Energy swirled around it, as it began taking another form. Once it settled, they saw that the form it took was in the image of Medjed. “You think you can overcome me?!” Medjed spoke. “Such pathetic creatures!”

The thieves readied themselves for a fight. “You wish to help them, right?” Shadow Futaba asked. Futaba nodded. Shadow Futaba smiled. “As expected. Even in the dark, you wished to reach out to others and help. But there were those that saw your light, and wished to extinguish it. But now that you’ve come to your senses, your light will now burn brighter than ever, correct?”

“Of course,” Futaba said. She felt something strange. She looked at herself to see clothes forming on her. “What? What is this?”

Shadow Futaba smiled. “That is part of the essence of your true self. As for the rest, call upon my name, and together, we will shine a light against the darkness that ruled us for so long.”

Futaba nodded. She focused. “NECRONOMICON!” she called out. Light started bursting out of Shadow Futaba. It flashed, and where Shadow Futaba once stood, a UFO-looking Persona took its place.

Tentacles dropped from Necronomicon, and picked up Futaba. She was confused, but also excited. Once inside Necronomicon, she brought up a command board. “Cool!” She remarked. She looked out to see Medjed staring them all down. “Alright everyone! I’ll be your support! I’ll analyze this thing, and see what else I can do!”

Ren smiled and nodded. “You got this!” She turned towards Medjed. “And so do we!”

They began fighting. While Medjed was doing some good damage to the thieves, the same could not be said about what the thieves were doing to Medjed. “What’s with this guy?” Ryuji asked. “It’s like we’re doing nothing to him!”

“Skull’s right,” Morgana said. “At this rate, we’ll be here for hours trying to take this out. Or worse.”

“Hang on!” Futaba said. “I think I figured out a way to weaken it! This is my palace, right? It should listen to me!” She typed on her command. A ballista appeared. “There! Hitting it with that should weaken it!”

“Alright!” Ryuji shouted.

“But who’s going to shoot it?” Ann asked.

“I’ll take the shot,” Yusuke said.

Ren nodded. “Go for it!” Yusuke nodded back and ran to use the ballista. The others kept Medjed’s attention while Yusuke readied the weapon.

Once he had the perfect shot, he called out “NOW!” and fired it into Medjed. The impact of the ballista caused a rupture that destroyed some of the pyramid.

“GAHHHHHH!” Medjed yelled, landing on the ground.

“GAHHHHHH!” a different voice yelled.

“What was that?” Sumire asked.

“Don’t worry about it!” Futaba answered. “If it’s what I think it is, then it’s on our side!”

Yusuke returned to formation. “Sorry I broke your pyramid.

“It’s fine,” Futaba replied. “I’m not going to need it for much longer anyway. Now get in there and wreck house!”

“On it!” Ren yelled. She and her team did considerable damage to Medjed. Medjed soon got up though, and returned to attacking the thieves. While Medjed’s defenses were still high, the thieves had an easier time doing damage to it

“Heh heh heh,” Futaba laughed. “Got another one coming for ya!” She summoned another ballista.

“You up for it again, Fox?” Ren asked.

“I could, but that thing takes work, and I’m still a little sore,” Yusuke answered.

“I’ll go!” Makoto said.

“Yeah, you got this, Queen!” Morgana shouted.

“Right,” Makoto assured. She ran off to the second ballista. The thieves again kept Medjed distracted, while Makoto readied her shot. “HYA!” she shouted. She got another direct hit on Medjed, downing it. Again, the shot caused more of the pyramid to fall apart.

“ARGHHHH!” Medjed screamed.

“RAHHHHH!” another voice shouted.

“We’re almost there!” Futaba shouted. “Keep going!” Ren nodded. The thieves went in to wail on Medjed some more. Medjed eventually got back up, and started their attacks once more. The thieves found that now Medjed’s defenses were about on par with their own, and now it was just a matter of who could do more damage.

“Alright! I think I’ve got one more!” Futaba called out. She summoned another ballista.

“Someone else take it,” Makoto said. “Fox is right, it does take a lot out of you.”

“I’ll do it,” Sumire said.

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

“Of course,” Sumire said. “If Futaba-chan is right, we’re nearing the end of the fight. Besides, this is for her sake.” Ren smied and nodded. Sumire ran over to the third ballista. While she was taking aim, the others distracted Medjed. “And NOW!” she said, unleashing the attack. It hit Medjed right between the eyes. The resulting strike caused the whole top of the pyramid to crumble, exposing it to the outside.

“GAH!” Medjed said. It mustered up what energy it had and didn’t go down like the previous times. Despite that, the thieves could tell it was practically down for the count. “This isn’t over!” Medjed declared. The sound of rushing wind started to intensify. “I will RULE Futaba’s mind! I will make it so she never forgives herself! I WILL-” Before Medjed could finish their thought, they were sliced by a claw. Medjed form broke down and disappeared causing the mask to drop.

On the ground, it shattered into three pieces. A remnant of the three Futabas the mask created appeared before the mask was crushed by a paw, destroying it. Everyone looked up to see a giant sphinx-like creature with the head of Wakaba Isshiki. “HOLY SHIT!” Ryuji screamed.

Futaba was surprised. She got out of Necronomicon, and ran over to the creature. “MOM!” she called out.

“That’s her mom?” Ann asked.

The Wakaba sphinx glowed and then shrunk down into how Wakaba normally looked. Futaba was shaking. She rushed in and hugged her. “Mom.”

Wakaba smiled, and hugged Futaba back. “I’m sorry this happened to you. But I’m glad you’re alright. I’m glad that you found the real me, and the real you.”

“Mom,” Futaba said. “I promise I’ll never forget it again. I love you!” She buried her face in her mom.

“And I love you, sweetie,” Wakaba said back. After a brief moment, the two let go slightly. “You know this isn’t over.”

“Right,” Futaba nodded. “It’s only just beginning. But now, it’s not just me. It’s Sojiro too! And the Phantom Thieves!”

Wakaba giggled. “I knew I could count on Sojiro. And I’m glad to see you reaching out to others.” She frowned slightly. “I don’t mean to overburden you…”

“Relax,” Futaba said. “You trusted me to handle it. And although there was a bit of a delay, I know we can do it!”

Wakaba bowed. “Thank you, Futaba.”

Futaba frowned. “I’m going to miss you. But I know your spirit will guide me. And I’m not alone either! What I’m saying is, thank you mom! For everything!”

Wakaba smiled back. “Thank you Futaba, for being you.” Wakaba started fading away.

“I LOVE YOU!” Futaba shouted before Wakaba faded completely. She walked over to the Phantom Thieves. “Alright! We did it!” She raised her hands. “Put ‘em up!”

Everyone else was a little confused. Ren, however, smiled and gave Futaba the dual high-five she knew she wanted. “YEAH!” Ren shouted.

“Booya!” Futaba shouted back. “Now, um, I’m assuming we have a lot to talk about.”

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh, um yeah…”

“Well…” Futaba said, now growing a little more hesitant. “Let’s do it once I take care of Medjed in the real world.”

“Sounds like a deal,” Ren said. She and Futaba shook hands.

“Well, I’m off,” Futaba said. She left as quickly as possible.

“Well, I guess that’s settled then,” Ann said.

“Hang on, what about the treasure?” Ryuji asked.

“Heh,” Morgana chuckled. “It’s already where it belongs.” Everyone looked at him, confused. “Remember when that other Futaba glowed? The light from that carried the same energy as a  treasure.”

“So Futaba herself was the treasure?” Yusuke said. “Fascinating.”

“OK then,” Ryuji said. “So, how is the palace still here?”

“That’s a good question,” Morgana replied. The pyramid started to rumble.

“Uh, I don’t think it’s going to be here for much longer,” Jose remarked.

“RUN!” Ann screamed. The thieves  started running down the side of the pyramid. Ann saw Morgana running by her side, and she picked him up. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! GO!” She threw Morgana, who instantly changed into his vehicle form. The thieves jumped into Morgana, who formed a cushion to catch them all. Makoto got behind the wheel, and drove as fast as she could to outrun the pyramid falling apart.

Back in Futaba’s room, Futaba magically reappeared on her bed. “Futaba!” Sojiro shouted.

“Uhhhh,” Futaba said, wobbling. Before she could pass out, Sojiro caught her. She woke up for a bit. “Thank you, Sojiro.” She passed out again.

Sojiro smiled, and let out a single tear. “I’m glad you’re OK.” He heard a loud crash coming from outside. He set Futaba gently down, and went to investigate. Once he got outside, he was confused. “What the?” He saw everyone else strewn about on the ground. “Are you kids alright?”

They started getting up. “Par for the course,” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “Well, it seems like you managed to do it. So thank you.”

“Oh, yeah, how is Futaba?” Sumire asked.

“Oh yeah, she managed to get into her own palace,” Ann said. “That must not have been easy.”

“Plus, she was also under Eris’ influence,” Jose added.

“Come in,” Sojiro said. “I’ll show you” The thieves followed Sojiro into Futaba’s room. 

Once there, they saw Futaba passed out on her bed. “So, she’s just asleep like this?” Makoto asked.

“Yup,” Sojiro said. “This happens from time to time. Whenever she overexerts herself, she’ll just do this.”

“That can’t be good for her,” Makoto said.

“Even if it’s normal, I’m still concerned,” Ren said. “Having a palace destroyed, and also being manipulated by Eris seems like a potent combination if there ever was one. I’m gonna go grab a doctor just to be safe.” She started to leave. “Oh, uh, can one of you get a trash can?” She left.

“Why a trash can?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, uh, you see…” Ann began. “Whenever someone rejects Eris’ power…”

Futaba sat up. “Futaba! You’re up?” Sojiro said. He inspected her a little more. “And your face is a little green.”

“Oh no,” Jose said. “HURRY RYUJI!”

“ON IT!” Ryuji exclaimed. He rushed through Sojiro’s house to get the trash bin. He then ran back to Futaba’s room and set it beside her.

Futaba gave as much a smile as she could. “Thanks,” she said. She then hurled up into the trash bin.

“HUH?!” Sojiro reacted.

“Like I was saying…” Ann said.

A few minutes later, Ren arrived with Dr. Tamaki. “Hm,” Takemi said. “Is this the patient?” Sojiro nodded. “Well then, let’s get started. I’m going to need some room, if you don’t mind. Family only, if possible.”

The thieves started to file out. Just as Ren was about to leave, Sojiro grabbed her arm. “Hold it. You’re part of the family.” Ren smiled, and stayed by Sojiro’s side while Tamaki conducted her examination.

Once she finished, she said “Well, she does seem lighter than average for someone her age. She might be lacking in certain vitamins as well.”

“Yeah…” Sojiro admitted.

“However,” Takemi continued, “she’s going to be alright. It’s most likely a combination of exhaustion and flu-like symptoms. Some rest, liquids, and the proper medicine should do the trick.”

“Are you sure?” Sojiro asked.

Takemi nodded. “Positive.”

Sojiro nodded back. “Thank you, doctor.” Takemi smiled and left.

Everyone else came back in. “So, how is she?” Sumire asked.

“She’ll be alright,” Sojiro said. “But it might take a while.”

“We should keep an eye on her,” Makoto said. Futaba woke up briefly, threw up again, and passed back out.

“I agree,” Ann said. “We should take turns coming over and seeing if she’s alright.”

“Hm, knock yourselves out,” Sojiro said. “Of course, I’ll help out whenever I get the chance.”

“As will I,” Ren declared. “I mean, I’m in the neighborhood. Plus, we’re family.”

Sojiro smiled at her. “Yeah.” He stood up. “I’m just going to go grab a few things. He walked out. He came back with some water, lemon-lime soda, something easy to eat, and a fold up table. He set it up and placed everything on the table. That should keep her going for a bit.” He turned to Futaba. “If you can answer, do you think you’ll be OK alone for a while?”

“I’d prefer it,” Futaba moaned.

Sojiro chuckled. “I see you’re recovering already.” He turned back to the thieves. “Well then, now that this mess is over, shall we celebrate?” They all nodded and agreed in various outbursts. “Well alright then. Let’s head back over to LeBlanc.”

Sojiro led the thieves back to the cafe, where he prepared them a meal. The meal was delicious, and it was made even more so by the fact that they had saved Futaba, and that she was alright, relatively speaking. Of course, they had more questions now, and for the time being, Medjed was still active, but for now, they chose to enjoy this moment for what it was: A victory.

Notes:

And thus, the Pyramid has fallen apart. So, while the palace itself mostly remained unchanged, the story beats that accompanied it are definitely the most changed so far. I hope you enjoyed it, but if not, it's understandable. Even so, I've been in love with this idea for a while, and finally following through on it and seeing it come to fruition just makes it all the more sweeter.

So, since I decided to do this palace in one fell swoop, the next lot of chapters are mainly going to be confidant-based. However, I have also decided to take a bit of a break from this, and will come back periodically. Since basically every arc after this (including what I have planned for third semester) is going to ratchet up the story content, I'm going to take it easy for now. Because not only are we getting plot, we're getting changes, and figuring out all of that will take some doing, to say the least.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 93: Miracle Worker

Notes:

I mentioned I'd be back intermittently to do the confidants. Although, I did realize a new issue. With as much room as I'm giving myself, I'm wondering how close to completion I can get with some of these. It felt overwhelming before I started this process, but now it doesn't. I know I don't want any of the party members to reach rank 10 until the Okumura arc for personal reasons, but they might get there, depending on what happens. But that's just what's bouncing around in my head at the moment. Anyways, please enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren had been the first selected to keep an eye on Futaba. She brought Morgana with her to help. Futaba would only get up in brief intervals, usually to eat, use the bathroom, or throw up. During that time, she was still very much out of it, and didn’t make for good conversation.

Morgana was pawing at one of the trashbags. “This doesn’t look like the healthiest environment,” he observed. “Maybe we could clean up for her?”

Ren smirked. “He says, knowing that I’d be doing most, if not all, of the clean up.”

“Hey! I’d help if I could,” Morgana objected. “But…”

“Hm. It’s fine,” Ren said. She got up. “I know you would.”

Morgana pouted. “You’re just teasing me, aren’t you?”

“Yup!” Ren admitted. She giggled. Morgana huffed. “I think it’s a little justified, since I’m going to be doing the cleaning. Plus, it’s kind of my thing.”

Morgan rolled his eyes. “Well, on the plus side, I can keep an eye on her while you clean.”

“Thanks Morgana,” Ren said. She started picking up a few things, and it turned into a full on cleaning binge. Ren did glance at Futaba every so often, but it was more of the same; something Morgana could confirm.

Sooner or later, Futaba’s room was cleaned; all the trash was thrown away, the room had been dusted, and the carpet was vacuumed. Ren stretched to relieve her muscles before sitting down next to Morgana and Futaba. She looked over at Futaba. “She’s still out of it, huh?”

“Yeah,” Morgana lamented. “I think that this isn’t going to resolve itself anytime soon, in case you were wondering.”

“I kind of wish it did,” Ren said. “But if I got everything I wished for, I wouldn’t have met you all.”

“Hm hm, I hear that,” Morgana said. “Sometimes the things you want are not the things you need.”

Ren smirked. “Like Lady Ann?”

Morgana pouted. “We were having a moment.”

“I know,” Ren said apologetically. “But in times of strife, I tend to get a bit more snarky. It feels shitty to just sit here and hope Futaba gets better.”

Morgana looked at her. “Have you…actually been taking the medicine Dr. Takemi prescribes? I’ve seen the labels. I know they’re meant for stress management. It seems like a good time for one.”

“Hm. I have,” Ren said. “But you’re right. I probably should take some. Unfortunately I’m out at the moment…”

Morgana smiled. “Go,” he instructed. “I’ll keep an eye on her.”

“Really?”

Morgana nodded.”I think it’ll be more of the same. Besides, some fresh air might do ya good.”

Ren stood up. “Thanks Morgana.” She bowed and left Sojiro’s house.

When she entered Takemi’s clinic, Takemi looked up at her. “I didn’t expect to see you so soon.”

Ren laughed nervously. “Well, you saw what happened yesterday. Do you think there’s any medicine that might speed up the process?”

Takemi was a little surprised. She then smirked and said “I might, but that’s not entirely why you’re here, is it?”

“Eh, ya got me!” Ren said, embarrassed. “I need a refill on my medication too.”

“Hm. Of course,” Takemi said. “As a doctor, I ought to know how to read my patients.” She began readying the prescriptions. “Do you need anything else while you’re here?” she asked.

“Uh, sure, I guess,” Ren said. She took time to stock up on the medicine she and her team were using in the Metaverse. Once everything was ready, Ren paid Takemi and said “Thanks.”

“Of course,” Takemi said. She then frowned and sighed.

“What’s wrong?” Ren asked.

“Nothing,” Takemi said. “It’s just… You know I’ve been getting business since that family stopped in, right?”

“Of course,” Ren replied.

“And I told you it can be stressful at times?” Ren nodded. Takemi sighed. “I think the stress is catching up to me.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

It took a bit for Takemi to respond. “Perhaps it’s the distance from traditional hospital work, or the circumstances that dragged me away from it, but I’m starting to feel a bit of Impostor Syndrome from all of this. People come in for help, and I give it to them. Then they leave with smiling faces. Sometimes I ask myself ‘Am I truly deserving of that?’”

Ren chuckled a bit. Takemi gave her a look. “Sorry. But I was just talking to a friend of mine earlier. I was telling him that if I hadn’t gotten arrested, I wouldn’t have met him, and that sometimes the things you want are not the things you need.”

“Your point?” Takemi asked.

“I’m saying that you do belong in that part of being a doctor, Dr. Takemi,” Ren said. “And maybe you needed that little push from me to truly see it.”

Takemi glared at her. “I don’t know how much I ‘needed’ that.”

“Perhaps you’re right,” Ren said. “But let me ask you this: Would you rather let life pass you by, maybe getting a patient a month, while you sit here alone, or would you rather treat patients regularly, and know that you made a difference in a person’s life? Not to mention, if you were as antisocial as you claim to be, you wouldn’t have me as your guinea pig to help you work on that medicine.”

“Maybe,” Takemi said. “But remember, you came to me before I came to you.”

“True, but again, that might be fate, if you believe in such things,” Ren said. “Again, had I not been arrested for a crime I didn't commit, I wouldn’t have come to you at all.”

“Fair point,” Takemi said. “As for your initial question, I would prefer the latter of course, but…I feel like I should be forever locked out of it. That’s the issue I’m facing.”

“I get that,” Ren said. “For a while now, I felt like I had been locked out of a lot of things. But ever since I came to Tokyo, I’ve gotten the chance to do all sorts of things I thought were impossible. And I know it can be hard to get over some of that stuff, but when I let go of my inhibitions, it feels like the best things in the world are all on my lap.”

Takemi smiled. “Well, I’m glad you seem to be having fun. As for me, I will have to think about this conversation, but I feel better already. So thank you.”

“Heh heh,” Ren laughed. “What are friends for?”

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 6

“Thanks again,” Ren said, rattling the medicine as she left. She went and placed the Metaverse medicine with her usual stash in LeBlanc, and then took her own prescription. She then headed back to Sojrio’s house.

Upon arriving, Morgana said “You were out for a while…”

“Well, Dr. Takemi and I got to talking,” Ren explained.

“Oh? How’d it go?” Morgana asked.

Ren sat down. “I think it went pretty well. She had some problems I could relate to.”

“I see…” Morgana said “Well, I hope she’s OK.”

“She’ll be fine,” Ren said. “She just needs some breathing room.” She then placed Futaba’s medicine on the table next to her bed. She gently shook Futaba awake. “Hey,” she whispered. “I got you some medicine.”

Futaba looked at the bottle Ren placed down. “Thanks,” Futaba moaned. She fell back asleep.

“Poor thing,” Morgana said.

“Tell me about it,” Ren said. She smiled. “Although I feel once this passes Futaba will be OK too.”

Morgana smiled back. “Yeah.” They kept watch on her for a little while longer. When Sojiro came, they exchanged pleasantries, and Ren and Morgana left. Morgana went to walk the streets, while Ren went someplace else.

Ren arrived at the church in Kanda. “I’d never thought I’d come here to relax…but maybe it’s what I need.” She looked over to see Hifumi. She shrugged. “Well, I guess that worked out.” She went over to go sit with Hifumi. “Hey.”

“Oh!” Hifumi said. “I didn’t expect you to be here.”

Ren giggled a tiny bit. “Sorry. Truth be told, I didn’t expect to come here either.”

“Oh?” Hifumi wondered. “So, what brought you here?”

“Well, it’s a bit complicated…” Ren admitted.

“This church is open for a while,” Hifumi cuntered.

Ren was a little embarrassed. “Well, I guess I’ll take your word for it.” She sighed. “Truth be told, I had only moved to Tokyo recently. I was sent to live with a man named Sojiro Sakura. Although I wasn’t invited to his house. Instead, I live at the restaurant he owns and operates.”

“That sounds awful!” Hifumi exclaimed.

Ren just shrugged. “Well, it actually isn’t as bad as it seems. Besides, sometimes you need to roll with the punches.”

“I know how that feels…” Hifumi lamented.

“Back to why I’m here,” Ren said. “Recently, I figured out why Sojiro wouldn’t let me in his home. Sojiro has a daughter. Her name is Futaba. However, Sojiro is not her birth father. I’m not sure who is, but her mother was a woman by the name of Wakaba Isshiki.”

“‘Was’?” Hifumi wondered.

Ren remained somber. “She died about two years ago in a traffic incident right before Futaba’s eyes.”

“How awful!” Hifumi state.

Ren smiled. “This time, I agree with you. After briefly living with her uncle, Sojiro took Futaba in. She has been struggling with her mother’s death since it happened, but recently it hit an all time high. She was…not in a good place, I’ll say that much. It got so bad that Sojiro asked for my help, as well as anyone else he could. Through our intervention, she seems to be getting better, but is in a state of shock currently.”

“Well, I’m relieved that she’s getting better,” Hifumi remarked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. She looked up. “So, that’s why I’m here. I mean, I don’t see myself as particularly religious, and part of me feels like any God might have turned their back on me a while ago, but…I mean, if miracles exist, I’m kind of hoping for one right about now.”

“Hm,” Hifumi chuckled. “While there’s certainly an element of prayer to make good things happen, my parents taught me that we make our own miracles. My father in particular holds that manta. He’s a professional shogi player, and he inspired me to take up the sport.”

“Right,” Ren said. “I guess your style of shogi comes from him.

“Absolutely,” Hifumi said. “He and I used to play together all the time. We still do on occasion, but he’s currently bedridden.”

“My apologies,” Ren said.

“It’s not your fault,” Hifumi replied. “That’s part of the reason I’m trying to work so hard to become a professional shogi player; to find that miracle. Or at least, to make my father proud. But, as I told you before, my mother seems to be pushing me in another direction.”

“Right…” Ren remembered. “How did that photoshoot go, by the way? If it happened yet.”

“It was alright,” Hifumi said. “I mean, I didn’t hate it outright, but it’s not something I’d want to do particularly often. However, my mother seemed to enjoy it immensely.”

“Hm. That sounds difficult,” Ren said.

“True, but there is a reason,” Hifumi said. “For a while, she had tried being an actress, but she didn’t get anywhere and had to retire early. So now, she sees my popularity as a way to boost her own prestige.”

Ren was concerned. “Are you OK with that?”

“Well, it is troublesome at times,” Hifumi admitted, “but I believe that if I continue to show off my prowess, and make my own miracles, maybe she will understand what I want.”

Ren smiled. “Well, I hope for that as well. And hopefully until that happens, you’ll be alright.”

“Hm hm,” Hifumi giggled. “Thank you for that. You know, ever since we started meeting, I feel like I’ve been in a better place.”

“Hm hm,” Ren giggled back. “I’ve been thinking about that a lot today. Talking with friends about how if I hadn’t come here, I wouldn’t have met any of them.”

“Perhaps fate is not without its merits either,” Hifumi noted.

“Perhaps,” Ren said. “But I don’t like how long it can take sometimes.”

“Well, you don’t win a shogi game in the first move,” Hifumi remarked.

“Hm,” Ren chortled. “I guess that’s true too.”

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 3

“Although, speaking of, do you want to play a round?” Ren inquired.

Hifumi smiled. “I’d thought you’d never ask.” They set up the shogi board and proceeded to play. Hifumi won, again, but Ren was getting noticeably better. After their game, the two girls left for home.

Notes:

One thing I love about doing the confidants in the way that I am doing it is that I get to explore Ren's relationships a little more and get to give insight on how she feels and interacts with people. I might have mentioned this before, but with almost 100 chapters, it can be hard to tell. But it is worth repeating, and I feel like it's worth noting here because of how I'm changing Hifumi's confidant. I originally hadn't planned on changing much, but certain things lend themselves to doing what I did, and as a result, I feel like I have a better handle on Hifumi as a character. And even though I'm mostly following Takemi's with some deviation, making it story driven allows me to open it up more. Overall, this is fun.

Chapter 94: Open and Honest Feelings

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, while Ren was relaxing in her room, she got a message from Jose.

Jose: Hey, can you help me with something?

Ren: Sure!

Jose: Thanks.

Jose: Can you meet me at the diner in about half an hour?

Ren: Only my way.

Ren put her phone away and headed out to meet Jose.

Ren arrived at the diner and saw Jose almost immediately. She smiled and took a seat across from him. “So, what do you need help with?”

Jose looked at her. “Um, well, I’ve made some moves in order to help those two.”

“Oh?” Ren said, intrigued. “What kind of moves?”

“Well,” Jose began,”I invited the girl, her name is Cho Hirai, to speak with me here today.”

“Oh!” Ren responded a little alarmed.

“And I wanted your help in talking with her,” Jose finished.

“Well, I’ll help,” Ren said, nervously, “I just kind of wish I got a heads up.”

“Well, I wanted to…” Jose said. “But with everything happening with Futaba-chan…”

Ren empathized with him. “It’s fine. I get it.” Jose smiled. “So, when is she set to arrive?”

“Soon,” Jose said.

“Alright then,” Ren said, putting on her game face. “What do I need to know before going in?”

Jose got a look of determination in his eye. “Right. Well, as you know, her and her boyfriend’s family have been feuding ever since Kosei’s opening. But looking into the feud, it doesn’t make sense to me.”

“How so?”

“Well, her boyfriend, his name is Tama Inoue, and his family are painters, and so are the Hirai family, but they specialize in different types of paintings. The Inoue family specialize in more traditional landscape paintings, while the Hirai family specializes in portraits. I looked into it, and they each have received several awards and have a lot of prestige. I don’t know why they fight.”

Ren shrugged. “Hatred doesn’t usually make sense. It’s probably something small that spiraled out of control.”

Jose looked at her, curiously. “So, do you think their parents have palaces?”

“What?” Ren asked, taken aback by the question.

“I’m just thinking,” Jose responded. “Madarame and Kaneshiro’s Will Seeds showed off how something small sent them down their paths. If it could happen to anyone, did it happen to them?”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, it’s not a bad idea. Maybe we should look into it further before doing anything though.”

“Gotcha,” replied Jose. Jose looked at the door. “It looks like she’s here.” Ren turned around and saw a girl with long, platinum blonde hair, dark blue eyes, and wearing a light blue dress, a purple hairband, white socks with white heels, and a blue purse. Ren moved over to sit on the same side as Jose.

Jose started waving, and the girl noticed him, and came over. “You’re…Jose, right? You wanted to talk with me?”

Jose nodded. “Please, have a seat.”

The irl noticed Ren. “Um, who is she?”

“She’s a friend of mine,” Jose said. “She goes to another school.”

“...I mean, what is she doing here?” the girl asked.

“Oh,” Jose said, “she’s here to help.”

“O…K…?” the girl said, sitting down. “Uh, hi?” she said, waving confused at Ren. “I’m Cho Hirai.”

Ren gently smiled. “Ren Amamiya.”

Cho sighed. “Listen, I don’t know what Jose is thinking, but…I mean, I know he’s a prodigy, but…you have to know we can’t date, right?”

“Huh?” Jose said.

“Listen,” Cho continued, “it’s really sweet, but…it just wouldn’t work between us.”

“Um…that’s not why I wanted to talk with you…” Jose replied.

“Oh…” said a thoroughly embarrassed Cho.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I probably should have seen that coming.”

Cho was now confused. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Oh, right,” Jose said, still a little stunned himself. “Um, well, I wanted to talk about you Inoue-senpai.”

It took a second, but a smirk dawned on Cho’s face. “Oh, that slimeball? Pshhh! He’s not ever worth the dust on the floor.”

“Ummmm,” Ren tried interjecting.

“I mean, what is there to say about him?” Cho continued. “Other than he’s probably the most pathetic person at Kosei.”

Jose slammed his hands on the table, capturing the two girl’s attention. “How can you say that?!” he yelled.

Cho was a little confused. “Um, what do you mean?”

“What we’re saying is, we know,” Ren said, trying to calm things down.

“Know what?” Cho asked. Ren glanced around to see if anyone was looking, and then formed a heart with her hands. Cho was horrified. She gasped. “But how?!”

“It was an accident,” Jose admitted. “I overheard you two planning a date.”

“Oh my gosh,” Cho said. “What do you want? Money? We can get you the money.”

“No!” Jose objected. “What we WANT is for you two to be free!”

Cho was stunned.”Huh?”

“What he means is he wants to help you end the feud between your families so you don’t have to worry about your relationship,” Ren clarified.

“...Oh…” Cho said, still on edge.

“Are you alright with that?” Jose asked.

“I don’t know,” Cho said. “I mean, our families have been fighting for a long time. It’s not like we can just solve it by going on a game show or something?”

“Game show?” Jose wondered.

“She means it’ll be no easy task,” Ren explained.

“Oh,” Jose responded. He turned back to Cho. “...I know it can’t be easy, but we’re willing to help.”

“Oh…th-thanks.” Cho sighed. “I mean, I don’t even know where to begin.”

“Well, why not talk with Tama-senpai?” Jose. Cho looked at him. “I mean, this is kind of a big deal. I find it easier when you talk over things with someone.”

Cho thought about it. “Yeah…I guess that’s a good first place to start.” She sighed again.

“Are you OK now?” Jose asked.

“Well, maybe in a bit,” Cho said. “Why don’t I go discuss it with him, and then we’ll contact you once we have something figured out?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Jose said, smiling.

“Thank you,” she said. She got up and left.

Ren took her original place at the booth. “Well, that was something.”

“Yeah,” Jose replied. “I usually only get this nervous inside a place.”

“Well, that’s life for you sometimes,” Ren said. “But, like the palaces, you overcame it well.”

Jose smiled. “Thank you.” Jose frowned again.

“What’s wrong?” Ren asked.

“Well,” Jose began, “even though I knew it was a lie, it made me upset when she bad-mouthed Tama like that. I mean, how can you say such things about a person you cherish so much?”

Ren looked at him like a deer in headlights. She sighed. “The answer isn’t easy. You still want to hear it?”

“Please,” Jose demanded.

Ren nodded. “In circumstances that are less than ideal, one would do anything to not bring ruin on them. I mean, you saw the look on her face when we told her we knew. I know a lot of the people we face as the Phantom Thieves try to place the blame on something else, but those kinds of defense mechanisms are in everyone…”

Jose looked at her. “Are you speaking from experience?”

“Yeah,” Ren replied. “At my old school, things were hectic to say the least. One of those things I had to do was tell myself I was OK when I wasn’t…”

Jose was stunned. He reached to place his hand on hers. She looked up “Hey,” Jose said. “It's going to be OK.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.” She frowned again. “I know I’m starting to get over some of that, but even recently, I’ve fallen into some pitfalls.”

“Do you mind telling me what happened?” Jose asked.

“Sure,” Ren said. “Sumire and I went out on a date, and her dad picked us up. I didn’t know she was open about that sort of thing with her parents, so I thought I had to lie. We worked things out, but it still bugs me that it happened.”

“Hmmm,” Jose said. “I think I get it.”

“You do?” Ren said.

Jose nodded. “You were just trying to defend Sumire. I’m still learning some things, but you seem to be aware of the kind of things people hate others for, and you didn’t want someone to hate Sumire for that, because in your eyes, it’s not worth hating.”

Ren smiled and then chuckled slightly. “That’s one way to put it.”

Jose sighed. “I mean, despite how many times we’ve confronted it, I still don’t understand hate.”

“Well, like I said, hatred doesn’t usually make sense,” Ren reminded him.

“Yeah, but you seem to get it,” Jose retorted.

“That’s just experience,” Ren said.

Jose looked down. “I don’t want to have those kinds of experiences. And I don’t want anyone else to have them either. That’s what makes me a proud member of The Phantom Thieves.”

Ren smiled. “You know, for someone who says that you don't understand a lot, you sure are nailing the important stuff.”

Aeon-Jose: Rank 5

Jose then looked around. “So, as long as we’re here, wanna grab a bite to eat?”

Ren giggled. “I thought you’d never ask.” They placed their orders, and chowed down, with some more friendly talking.

Later that night, Ohya burst into Crossroads with a vigor Lala had not seen in a while. However, one look on Ohya’s face told her that this was not a positive vigor. Ohya sat down at her usual place. “Lala-chan! I need a drink!” she said without her usual playfulness.

Lala sighed. “I can tell you need something strong.” She began pouring. Ohya got out her phone and began texting. “So, what’s gotten you in such a rotten mood tonight?”

Ohya let out an exasperated sigh. “You’ll see soon enough.” She looked up at Lala. “You’re rubbing off on me, you know that?”

“Heh,” Lala chuckled. “I just wish it happened sooner.”

“Whatever,” Ohya said. She finished her message.

Ohya: Hey kid. Can you come over tonight?

Ohya: We need to talk.

Ren: Um, sure…

Ren: Do you need any more Phantom Thieves information?

Ohya: Just get over here as soon as you can.

Ren: OK…

Ren: Are you alright?

Ohya: I’M fine.

Ren: …

Ohya: This really needs to be done in person.

Ren: Very well, I’m on my way now.

Ohya: Great. See you then.

Ohya set her phone down and waited.

A little later, Ren entered Crossroads. “Oh?” Lala said,surprised.

Ren went over to sit next to Ohya. “You wanted to see me?”

Ohya looked at her. She was upset, but her upset look subsided when looking Ren in the face. She couldn’t be mad at Ren, even though she was mad at herself. She sighed. “Hey kid, listen…you know I’m not the most trusting person. Because of that, I was wondering why a kid like you would want to help someone like me. So, I looked into you, and…” she sighed, “I found out about your arrest.”

“What?!” Lala said.

Ren looked a little concerned, while Ohya returned to her frustrated look. “Do you…hate me?” Ren asked, surprising both Ohya and Lala.

“Wha?” Ohya said in her stupor. “Don’t you hate me? I went behind your back! I betrayed your trust!” Lala chuckled. Ohya turned to her. “Oh, what is it?”

“Come on,” Lala said. “Are you telling me you don’t see the parallels?”

Ohya was a little confused. She looked at Ren, and then back at Lala. Then she remembered a conversation she and Lala had a while ago; a conversation about Lala’s true nature. “Hm,” Ohya laughed lethargically. “You just had to throw that in my face didn't you?”

“Well, look at her,” Lala instructed. “Scared and vulnerable.” Ren was observing, confused, but also still a little nervous. “Do what you did for me back then. Or has that part of you dried up as well?”

Ohya sighed. She knew Lala was right. She finished the drink she had, and turned to Ren. “Listen kid.” Ren looked up at her. “I don’t hate you.”

“Really?” Ren wondered.

Ohya nodded. “I mean, I can’t claim any sort of moral high ground. Hell, I’ve been arrested before.” Ren sighed, finally relieved. “That said, a lot of the information about the arrest I found is fishy at best.”

“Wow, you really DO do your homework,” Ren said, impressed.

Ohya rolled her eyes playfully, also feeling more relaxed. “I’m not a journalist for nothing. So, do you care to explain what happened?”

Ren went back to being nervous. “Are you going to publish it?”

“Nah,” Ohya said. “Even if I wanted to, my boss has me on the Phantom Thief beat. If even one paragraph doesn’t mention them, he’ll have my head.”

Ren giggled. She sighed. “Well, let’s get into it then.” She explained everything that happened the night of her arrest. Ohya and Lala listened on, growing more annoyed with each passing word.

Once Ren had finished, Ohya was shaking. She needed to do something. “God damn mother FUCKERS!” she slammed the counter, spilling her glass. She was slightly worried for a second, but then remembered she had emptied it earlier. “Uh, Lala-chan?”

Lala sighed. “I’m on it.” She picked up Ohya’s glass and began refilling it. “So, what’s this dirtbag’s name?” she asked Ren.

Ren shrugged. “I don’t know. I never caught his name. Why?”

“I want to ban him from my bar,” Lala said.

“Well, that’s awfully sweet of you,” Ren said.

“Psh, I bet a guy like that wouldn’t even WANT to come here,” Ohya moaned.

“Well, it’s the thought that counts,” Ren reminded her.

“Yeah, lighten up a little,” Lala said. “I mean, she’s no Kayo, but-”

“Ah!” Ohya said, interrupting her. Lala gave her a stern look back.

“Um, who’s Kayo?” Ren asked.

The two women looked at Ren, and then back at each other. “Well?” Lala said.

“Really?” Ohya rebutted.

“I think you owe it to her,” Lala said. “You did go behind her back.”

Ohya sighed. She took another drink. “Very well.” She turned to Ren. “Kayo was…IS my partner.” Ohya grew more uncomfortable, remembering the events that had cursed her. “We were working together investigating a politician. Heh. If you think my work is impressive, Kayo outdoes me tenfold.

She got a lead one night. She messaged me about it, and told me that she was going to meet the politician at a hotel.” Ohya took another drink. “The next day, the politician was dead, and Kayo was nowhere to be found.” Ren was shocked.

Ohya continued. “I wanted to look into it further, but my editor told me I was too close, and I would let my feelings get in the way of the facts. Psh. What a joke.”

“Um, has she been found?” Ren asked.

“No,” Ohya said, bluntly. “In fact, remember when I gave that detective the information I gave you?” Ren nodded. “He gave me information on Kayo to make me talk.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, as I mentioned then, everyone got something out of it, so it’s water under the bridge. Oh, speaking of water…”

“On it!” Lala nodded, fixing Ren a glass of water.

Ohya sighed. “I’ve been trying to look into what he gave me, but my boss has been giving me more deadlines.”

“Well, if you want help, I’m sure whatever information I can give you can help,” Ren said.

Ohya looked at her, and smiled. “I’d say you’re one of a kind, but really, you kind of remind me of Kayo.”

“I’ll take that as the compliment it is,” Ren said.

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 3

Ren gave some more information on the Phantom Thieves while Ohya diligently took notes. “Heh, thanks kid,” Ohya siad. “With this, I should be able to write up some good stuff.

“No problem,” Ren said. “And just in case you keep investigating me, I want to get out ahead on the next big scoop.”

“Oh?” Ohya said.

Ren grinned. “I’m a lesbian.”

Ohya smirked. She then started laughing. Once she stopped, she said “Ah, ya got me kid.”

“Um, I mean it?” Ren said, confused.

“I know,” Ohya said. “I’m just giggly drunk right now.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“You should probably head out now,” Lala said. “If past experience is any indication, it’s all downhill from here.”

“I see,” Ren said. She got up. “Well, thanks for tonight.”

“You’re welcome!~” Ohya cheered. Ren giggled a bit as well. She then left the bar.

On her way to Shinjuku station, she saw Chihaya’s booth. She figured now might be a good time to ask about the “crystal”. However, on her way there, she saw a young woman running over to her. She noticed the woman had some marks on her. She kept her distance, but also went to investigate.

Once the woman got to Chihya’s booth, Chihaya was stunned. “O-Oh! It’s you! …Again.”

“Yeah,” the woman said, looking at Chihaya intently.

“Um, what do you need this time?” Chihaya nervously asked.

“I need another crystal!’ the woman demanded.

“Oh, um, are…are you sure?” Chihaya asked.

The woman nodded. “My boyfriend threw out my last one, saying ‘these are worthless!’ Please!”

“Um…well…you could always try breaking up with him…” Chihaya said, visibly shaken.

“I can’t!” the woman shouted. “I’m all he has. Besides, he can be sweet when he wants to.”

“Still…” Chihaya said, unsure of what to do.

Ren decided she would step in. “I can help.”

Chihaya and her customer looked at Ren’s heroic interjection. “Wha?!”

“You can?” the woman asked. Ren nodded. “How?”

“It’s simple,” Ren said. “Much like Miss Chihaya here, I too am imbued with magic powers. Although, mine aren’t as exact as hers.”

“Really!?” the woman said. “Oh yes, then please help. How much do you want?”

Ren put up her hand “I’ll do it free of charge,” she told her. “All I need is your boyfriend’s name.”

“Oh, his name is Yuya Uchimura,” the woman said.

Ren nodded. “Very well. You should be seeing a change soon. Now tell me, are you able to hold out for a bit?”

“I think so,” the woman said. “Now that I’m not spending all this money, I should be fine.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Ren said.

“Thank you, Miss Magic Woman,” the woman said, walking off.

Chihaya looked at Ren intently. “Do you really have magic powers?” she asked.

“Of a sort, yes,” Ren said. “And I know you do too.”

“Oh?” Chihaya questioned.

“You helped me and my friend out, remember?” Ren reminded her. “And when we met last time, you gave me that prediction. Something about something challenging me, but then someone else comes to strike, but striking them in the process. That came to pass too.”

“I see…” Chihaya said. “So, you really think you can help that poor woman?”

Ren smirked. “I know I can.”

“Well, I’d sure like the confidence you seem to have,” Chihaya lamented.

“Tell you what,” Ren said. “Once I use my powers to help, how about I come here to hone my powers, while I help you boost your confidence?”

“You’d do that for me?” Chiahya asked.

“Of course,” Ren said. “I mean, without you, I don’t know if I’d even be standing here. I at least gotta repay that favor.”

Chihaya grinned. “Very well. But only after you help her out.”

“Done and done,” Ren said. “Later!” She walked down to Shinjuku station, and rode it all the way home.

Notes:

Just a quick thought about Ohya's confidant. As much as I like Lala-chan, I'm not sure she would need her own confidant, since she's so tied up in Ohya's confidant. But at the same time, I think that's alright. I mean, most of the confidants are in the middle of going through something, whereas Lala feels more self-actualized, which is cool. It does kind of relegate her to being an angel on Ohya's shoulder and shielding her from he worst instincts, but I think the history between them makes up for that, and gives us some good character moments for both of them. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 95: The Power to Continue

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ann stopped by LeBlanc. “Hi!” Ann said.

“What’s up?” Ren asked.

“Well, um, Ryuji and I are going to celebrate Shiho’s birthday, and we were wondering if you’d like to come along,” Ann invited.

Ren smiled and nodded. “Sure. Sounds like fun. Just let me get ready first.”

“Take your time,” Ann said. Ren nodded once again and then headed upstairs to get ready.

She returned a few minutes later. “Alright, let’s go.” Ann nodded and the two girls started heading out. On their way, Ren asked “So, Shiho’s birthday is today?”

Ann shook her head. “It was a week ago.”

“Oh,” Ren reacted. “Uhhhh…”

“It’s fine,” Ann said. “Shiho usually likes to spend her birthday with her family. Besides, we were busy.”

“Yeah,” Ren admitted. “I know we’re doing the right thing, but part of me wants to be a normal teen, you know?”

“I hear that,” Ann said. “But somehow, I doubt that even without this whole other world thing, we would be ‘normal’.”

Ren chuckled. “True.” She got out her phone. “But this does make me realize that I don’t know any of your birthdays. I’d hate to miss it because of this nonsense.”

“Oh, ummmm,” Ann said, nervously.

“Oh, don’t tell me I missed your birthday already?!” Ren moaned.

Ann shook her head. “Ryuji’s. It was the 3rd.”

“Awww,” Ren pouted.

“But don’t worry,” rallied Ann. “Ryuji doesn’t really like celebrating his birthday. So, it’s cool.”

Ren looked at her confused. “Why’s that?”

Ann frowned. “He feels like it’s arbitrary. That people only celebrate it because they feel like they have to.”

“So, why is he coming to this?” Ren asked.

“Oh, sorry,” Ann replied. “I meant he only felt that way about himself. That people will just stop hating him for one day out of the year and pretend to be nice to him, so he doesn’t usually bother.”

“Oh…That’s kind of sad…” Ren responded.

“Yeah.” Ann couldn’t deny it. “But I found a way around it. Every year, I manage to get a gift certificate for the biggest ramen bowl at his favorite ramen place, and I sneak it into his mailbox without him knowing.”

“Well, that’s nice,” Ren said. They continued walking for a bit. “Say, do you think Shiho would also like it if Sumire came?”

“Uh, if you want, go ahead,” Ann said.

Ren smiled, and began to text. She stopped. “Oh, uh, where are we going?”

“Oh, right,” Ann said, slightly embarrassed. “We’re going to one of Shiho’s favorite restaurants.” Ann gave her the information, which she then relayed to Sumire.

A minute or two later, Ren got a response back. “Alright! Looks like Sumire’s coming!”

“Great!” Ann said.

Ren looked at Ann a little nervously. “So, um, when’s your birthday?”

Ann grinned. “November 12th. You?”

Ren got a little embarrassed. “December 31st.”

Ann gasped. “Really?!”

Ren got even more embarrassed. “Y…yeah…”

“That’s so adorable!” Ann continued.

“I guess it is…” Ren said, face flushed.

Ann noticed this. “Oh, uh, are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Ren said. “I dunno. It just feels a little weird, you know?”

“Yeah, I get it,” Ann replied.

Ren smirked. “You wanna know something really interesting though?”

“Oh?” Ann responded.

Ren grinned, still a bit of red on her face. “My sister’s birthday is December 24th.”

Ann gasped even louder. “No way!”

“Yup,” Ren said. “Needless to say, things get a little hectic during Christmas time.”

Ann laughed. “I can imagine.” They continued on to the restaurant.

Soon, Ren, Ann, Shiho, Ryuji, and Sumire were sitting at a table, having just ordered. “Thanks for coming out, everyone,” Shiho said.

“Of course Shiho!” Ann said back.

“Yeah, we wouldn't miss this for anything!” Ryuji added.

“Oh, ummmm…” Ann said, a little nervous.

“What?” Ryuji asked.

“Well…” Ann said.

“It’s OK,” Shiho said. “Ann told me you might miss out on some things. Because, you know, you guys are The Phantom Thieves!”

Ryuji, Ren, and Sumire were shocked. “Sorry…” Ann apologized. “I couldn’t keep lying to her, you know?”

Ren smiled. “I get it. She’s our friend.”

Sumire smiled. “Yeah. That’s right.”

“I mean, I kind of wish you told us before you did so…” Ryuji lamented.

“It was…kind of a spur of the moment thing…” Ann explained.

“It’s quite alright,” Shiho said. She got a little sad. “I mean, I was possessed into executing a psychotic plan to kill Kamoshida.”

“It wasn’t your fault,” Ann assured her.

“Yeah! It was…um…are we telling her everything?” Ryuji wondered.

“Eris,” Shiho responded.

“I think that means ‘yes’,” Sumire noted.

“Ann explained it to me,” Shiho continued. “But still.”

A silence filled the air. Sumire then slammed the table. “Don’t give up, Shiho-senpai!” she said, catching everyone’s attention. “I mean, yes, sometimes bad things happen. And sometimes, you have no control over things. But the Shiho-senpai I know is kind, energetic, willing to help anyone. I don’t want one bad thing to take that away.”

Again, there was silence. Shiho smiled. “You’re right. Thank you, Sumire-chan. I guess I needed someone else to put things into perspective.”

“I hear that,” Ren said. “If it wasn’t for everyone else, I’d probably still be lonely and isolated.”

“Yeah, and that’s what Kamoshida wanted in the first place, right?” Ryuji said.

“Right!” Ann agreed. “We can’t let people like him win!”

Shiho giggled. She then frowned slightly. “You know, usually, I’d be at volleyball camp right about now. But I didn’t feel like going this year. Partially because Shujin doesn’t have a team, but partially because…I’m not sure I’d be ready for it.”

“Oh?” Ann said.

“It’s intensive,” Shiho noted. “Not like Kamoshida was, but…well, after going through all that, I think I need a bit of a break.”

“Really?” Ren inquired. “But you were so gung ho about remaking the volleyball team right away.”

“Right, well,” Shiho began, “with all the roadblocks that seemed to be present, it made me think. I don’t know how ready I actually am.”

“Oh…” Ren said.

Shiho smiled. “But knowing that there are people like the Phantom Thieves out there helping people gives me strength.” She grew more confident. “I know that when the time comes, I’ll make it count.”

“Yeah, that’s the Shiho I know!” Ryuji cheered.

Ann nodded. “You can do it, Shiho! I know you can!”

“Yeah! Nothing can stop you now!” Sumire added.

“I mean, you have all of us on your side,” Ren noted. “There’s no way you can lose!”

Shiho was impressed with all of the kind words. She giggled slightly and said “Thanks. And I know that whatever you face as The Phantom Thieves, you can do it too. After all, I’m on your side too!”

“Of course!” Ann said. “We can’t lose knowing you’ve got our back!”

“Otherwise, we’d be a disgrace!” Ryuji added.

“And we can’t have that,” Ren said.

Shiho giggled again. Their food arrived. “Thank you, everyone.”

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 5

The thieves ate their food, and wished Shiho a happy late birthday.

After they left, Ann and Shiho went their own way, and Sumire got a ride from her parents, leaving Ren and Ryuji. “So,” Ren said, “Ann told me I missed your birthday.”

Ryuji sighed. “Yeah. But don’t worry about it.”

Ren giggled. “I was told about that too.”

“Man, what is with Ann and telling people things?” Ryuji asked.

“It’s not like she’s telling random people off the street,” Ren noted.

“True,” Ryuji agreed. “She does have a good head on her shoulders.” He got a little excited. “Hey! Um, don't tell Ann I know, but I know she’s the one that’s been getting me those ramen gift certificates.”

“Oh?” Ren said. “Why don’t you stop her?”

“Well…” Ryuji began. “I mean, I know she’s just trying to help me out and stuff. I know she doesn’t mean anything rude by it. Plus, it’s kind of from a distance, you know? I kind of get in my own head sometimes, and in person, I…sometimes make mistakes in speaking, you know?”

Ren giggled. “Right.” She got a message. She checked it.

Mishima: Hey, are you available to hang out?

Mishima: I wanna talk to you about the site, and some of the ideas I have.

“Who’s that?” Ryuji asked.

“Mishima,” Ren informed him. “He wants to talk about something.”

“Oh,” Ryuji said. “Well, I can walk with you part way there.”

“I’d like that,” Ren replied. The two started walking together.

“So, uh, when’s your birthday?” Ryuji asked.

Ren got slightly embarrassed again. “December 31st.”

“Woah! Really?!” Ryuji asked.

“Y…Yeah,” Ren answered.

“That’s really cool,” Ryuji said.

Ren awkwardly smiled. “Thanks.”

They soon arrived on Central Street. “As much as I’d like to join you, I did promise my mom I’d do some shopping tonight.”

Ren nodded. “It’s alright.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.” He saluted, and headed off to the store. Ren went into the diner to meet up with Mishima.

“Oh, hey. Have a seat,” Mishima invited. Ren sat down across from him. “So, let me go over some ideas I have for the Phan-site.”

A thought occurred to Ren. “Wait,” she asked. Mishima paused. “Before we get into that, I have a question. Ann, Ryuji, Sumire, and I just went out with Shiho to celebrate her birthday.”

“Oh?” Mishima said.

“Why weren’t you there?” Ren asked.

“Oh,” Mishima said. “Well, some of us from the volleyball team already went out with Shiho earlier. Honestly, it was a nice, fun relaxing time.”

“Oh. I see,” Ren replied.

“Yeah, usually, Shiho and some of the others would be off at volleyball camp right about now,” Mishima said, “so we used to celebrate before her birthday. It was a nice change of pace to celebrate after.”

Ren raised her eyebrow. “Sorry. I know we’re getting a little off track here, but you wouldn't be at volleyball camp?”

“Nah, I don’t mind,” Mishima said. “We usually talk business. This kind of friendly chit-chat is nice. To answer your question, I…didn’t really go to volleyball camp. To be honest, I…wasn’t the most enthusiastic member of the volleyball club. I just joined because some of my other friends joined.”

“I get that,” Ren said. “I knew some people on my old basketball team that were like that.”

“Did that include you?” Mishima asked, hoping to find something in common.

“Nah,” Ren answered. “First off, I’m really good at basketball, and second, I didn’t necessarily have friends that I was close enough to join a sports team for.”

“Oh…” Mishima moaned.

“It’s fine,” Ren assured him. “I have friends like that now.”

Mishima nodded. “Yeah.”

“But, if you don’t mind me asking,” Ren began, “where are those friends of yours now?”

“Oh!” Mishima said, blushing slightly. “Well, to be honest, it was…just…Shiho…” Ren was confused. “We’ve known each other since like elementary school. When we were young, we got along really well. But…well, I’m no stranger to bullying either. My self-esteem just went to the gutter, and I started to think that Shiho might deserve better friends that little ol’ me.

I also didn’t want to drag Shiho into the bullying either, so we just kind of drifted apart after a while. But I didn’t want to let go completely, so when she tried out for the volleyball team, I did the same. I don’t even know how I made it onto the team, but somehow I managed.”

Ren smiled. “I think I know.”

“Y-You do?” Mishima said.

Ren giggled. “You had something to fight for. In this case, it was your friendship, no matter how fractured it was.”

“Oh, well, I don’t know about that…” Mishima said. “I’m not much of a fighter.”

“I saw the way you stuck up for Shiho after her plan to burn the school down fell apart,” Ren reminded him. “Plus, you run the Phan-site, which helps us all fight against the tyranny of society.”

“Yeah, but-” Mishima said.

“Don’t sell yourself short, Mishima!” Ren interrupted.

Mishima sighed. “You may be right. Although, with no volleyball team, I have found I’ve been hanging out with Shiho less.”

“Well, I think now might be a good time to try and maybe rekindle that friendship,” Ren instructed

“I dunno,” Mishima said. “I mean, she’s focused on bringing back the volleyball team, and I’ve got the whole Phant-site thing going on…”

“I mean, it’s summer now,” Ren reminded him. “You have a good amount of free time now. Besides, I think she might want to mend your friendship too. After all, she dragged you to Sumire’s gymnastics performance.”

“She…did do that…” Mishima realized.

“I’m just saying this might be a good opportunity,” Ren said.

“Huh. Maybe it is,” Mishima said. “Thanks.” He sighed. “Maybe I just need to get out of my own head every once in a while.”

“I hear that!” Ren cheered.

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 5

The two began discussing a few Phan-site details, as well as exchanging some names of people who might need their hearts changed. Ren was then about to leave, when she stopped herself. “Oh, yeah. When’s your birthday?”

Mishima was caught a little off-guard. “Oh, yeah, I guess you wouldn’t know. It’s October 29th.”

“I see,” Ren replied.

“How about yours? Mishima asked.

Ren got a little embarrassed again. “December 31st.”

“Oh!” Mishima said. “Ha ha. I’ll be sure to remember it.”

“Same,” Ren said. She left for Leblanc.

Notes:

A few things. First off, a part of me feels like there are some inconsistencies already, and I really shouldn't worry too much, since I'm almost 100 chapters in, and at best I'm halfway though, and also I have no one looking this over beforehand other than myself, but I do worry a bit about the inconsistencies. I don't know how much people care, but I want to try and write a good story, and one that's hopefully not too inconsistent.

Something that I discovered when writing this chapter is that only the in-game team member Phantom Thieves have official birthdays, except for Joker and Morgana. So, anyone that's not Ann, Ryuji, Sumire, Yusuke, Makoto, Futaba, Haru, and Akechi, (as well as Sophia, and Zenkichi) I am making up their birthdays. I asked Light about Sasa's birthday, since it's their character, and they were fine with me using one I made up, but he did tell me his idea for Sasa's birthday was May 15th. Although, I think we both decided that Ren's birthday was the same day independent of each other.

Lastly, something I am a bit hesitant on was an eventual Mishima/Shiho pairing. I'm hesitant because there's not a lot to base it off in the game, unlike with Ryuji/Ann. But I realized that that's because there's not a lot of stuff in game with Shiho. And then I also realized I'm at the helm of this fanfic, let's see what I do. I also realized that I did misremember Mishima's confident again before I started writing it. So I did this. Honestly, I still don't know if I want to go the full shipping route, but I think I have enough of a basis for if I do, and I also liked reworking the script and developing Mishima more as a character.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 96: 5 Targets

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up. It was an idyllic summer day. Her options were limitless. Yet, she knew how she was going to spend her day. She put on her glasses, and took out her phone.

Ren: Hey, I think we should tackle some Mementos Missions today.

Yusuke: Right now?

Ann: Yeah, I’m on my way to meeting up with my manager.

Ann: Plus, I think Ryuji’s still asleep.

Ren: Well, not now…

Ren: I mean, I just got up myself.

Ren: But, you know, today,

Sumire: I think that’s a great idea.

Makoto: I think so too.

Jose: It has been a while since we ventured down there.

Ren: Maybe a new area opened up, so we can go deeper too.

Makoto: I’d like that.

Makoto: It’d bring us one step closer to Eris.

Sumire: Right!

Ren: Well, I guess that’s settled then.

Ren: Just stop by LeBlanc whenever you’re ready.

Jose: Does someone need to message Ryuji, or will he read this?

Ann: I’ll take care of it.

Ann: He should be up once my meeting is over.

Ren: Well, I trust you.

Ren put her phone away and got up. At that moment, Morgana woke up. “Morning,” he said.

“Morning,” Ren replied. “I’m about to change, so…”

“Say no more,” Morgana said. He hopped on the windowsill. “So, what are you doing today?”

“We are going down into Mementos,” Ren replied.

“Huh,” Morgana said. “Say. Do you ever feel like we’re just puppets dancing for Eris?”

“What makes you ask that?” Ren inquired.

“Well, I’m just thinking,” Morgana answered, “we might be getting further into Mementos, but that’s kind of what Eris wants, right? She’s leading us on this quest. Nudging us in whatever direction benefits her. I just feel like maybe we should try and break from it.”

Ren finished getting dressed. “Alright, you can face me now,” she informed. Morgana got back down on the bed as Ren sat down next to him. “I can see where you’re coming from, but I don’t know what else we can do. We have these powers, and I think we should use them. We’re helping people either way. Besides, we’ve stood against Eris since the beginning. I don’t think that’ll change anytime soon.”

Ren scratched Morgana’s head. “Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Morgana noted. “It’s just…it seems so frustrating at times.”

“Yeah, I get that…” Ren replied. “I mean, I sometimes felt that way about life in general. ‘Is this all I can do? Just float on by?’ Stuff like that.”

“...Well, when you put it that way, this almost seems trivial,” Morgana responded. “I mean, I know we’re going to keep opposing Eris, but…”

Ren smiled. “It’s fine. You’re right in that I didn’t know things would get better, but I had faith. Faith is a really powerful thing, you know.”

“I hear that,” Morgana said. “And now, a lot of people are putting their faith in the Phantom Thieves.”

“True,” Ren said back. “And we don’t want to disappoint.”

“Can we not disappoint them after breakfast?” Morgana asked.

Ren giggled. “Sure. An army marches on its stomach after all.” Ren got Morgana some food, and then made some food for herself. She informed Sojiro of the plan for today, and he was fine with it.

One by one, the Phantom Thieves started filing in and making their way up to Ren’s room. Once they were all there, they gathered around to begin their discussion. “So, we’re going into Mementos?” Ryuji asked.

“Did Ann not tell you?” Yusuke asked.

“She did,” Ryuji replied, alarmed. “She did.”

“...O…K…?” Yusuke responded.

“I just…you know…wanted to get to it,” Ryuji continued nervously.

“Very well,” Yusuke said.

“So, let’s go over our potential target list,” Makoto said, steering the conversation back on track.

“Right,” Ren said. “First on our list is a man by the name of Yuya Uchimura. Long story short, he beats his girlfriend, but she doesn’t want to dump him, because according to her, she’s all he has.”

“Woah! That’s…a lot,” Makoto noted.

“Yeah, but I can sort of see where she’s coming from,” Ann said. “I mean, he shouldn’t do what he’s doing, but…”

“I think I getcha,” Ryuji said.

“Alright, I think we’re in agreement on that one,” Ren said. “Our next target is a girl that goes to Shujin with us. Her name is Yumeko Mogami.”

“What’s her big crime?” Morgana asked.

“Well, it’s…odd…” Ren replied. “So, she’s been…um…stalking someone…and it’s getting out of hand…”

“More so than a usual stalker?” Yusuke asked.

“You’re one to talk,” Ryuji retorted.

“According to Mishima,” Ren began, “she has a blog about herself…and to put it mildly, it’s incomprehensible on a good day. It’s filled with stuff about her ‘boyfriend’, and her affection for him.”

“I mean, it sounds pretty bad,” Sumire responded. “I think we should do something before it gets worse.” “Oh, it gets worse,” Ren informed her. “She has a tendency to react hostilely to any pushback.”

“Oh my!” Sumire said.

“She even threatened that if we came after her ‘boyfriend’, she would cut us up,” Ren said.

“We as in the Phantom Thieves?” Makoto asked.

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“I think I’ve seen this blog then,” Makoto told everyone. “The student council was asked to look into it, but we couldn’t find anything linking it to the creator.”

“Is it as bad as Ren makes it out to be?” Jose asked.

“The word ‘kill’ is used ad infinitum,” Makoto responded.

“I’m going to say that’s a ‘yes’,” Jose responded.

“Ahm. Moving on,” Ren said. “These next few are more open and shut. So, this one guy, Kazuo Tsuboi is maiming cats.”

“That’s a yes from me!” Morgana said, alerted.

“Well, you’re safe here,” Jose said.

“Yeah, most of the time you’re outside, you’re in Ren’s bag, right?” Ann asked.

“Still…” Morgana said.

“I mean, Morgana-senpai is right,” Sumire said. “It shouldn’t matter if he’s safe, if cats are getting mamimed.”

“True…” Ann relented.

“It’s OK, Lady Ann,” Morgana said.

“Besides, who says he’s safe?” Ren interjected. “After all, our next target, Taizo Naguri, goes around assaulting people. So, if they ever find me and fight me, I might not be able to guarantee Morgana’s safety.”

“Well, I’ve seen Morgana protect you in this world before,” Sumire reminded her. “He’s a fighter through and through.”

“While that was brave of me,” Morgana said, “I think I’d rather take them on in Mementos.”

“Oh, right,” Sumire said.

“And lastly,” Ren interrupted, “we have Shinsuke Kishi. He’s a business manager who works his employees to the bone.”

“Ugh, another jerk wielding power like a maniac,” Ryuji said, disgusted. “Count me in.”

“If Ryuji’s gung ho about this, then I’m in too,” Jose said.

“Well, I think we can all agree that he’s a perfect target for us,” Makoto began, “I don’t know about trusting Ryuji’s judgment wholeheartedly.”

“Hey!” Ryuji snapped back.

“Well, I mean, Ryuji did teach me about the corrupting force of power,” Jose said. “So, maybe you’re teaching me about the corrupting force of Ryuji.”

“Don’t say it like that!” Ryuji said. “It makes me sound like I’m a bad influence.”

“Don’t worry Ryuji-senpai,” Sumire said. “We still love you.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke is. “It’s just…you have a tendency to be a bit headstrong.”

“You’re not entirely a bad influence,” Ann said. “You just need to know when to listen, and when to not.”

“Thanks!” Ryuji said, sarcastically.

“Can you teach me that?” Jose asked.

Ryuji sighed. “Why do I always get into situations where I can’t win?”

Jose raised his hand. “Is it because you’re headstrong, as Yusuke put it?” Ren burst out laughing.

Ryuji hung his head. “That was rhetorical.”

Once Ren finished laughing, she said “I’m sorry. It gets me every time.”

“What does?” Jose asked.

“Your bluntness,” Ren said. “It’s amazing, and I love it.”

“Oh, why thank you,” Jose said.

“Anyway, now that we have our targets, we should go,” Ren instructed. “Mishima already put the names up on the Phansite, so we’re good to go.” Everyone nodded, and headed out.

Once they got to Mementos, Ryuji noted “Well then, let’s roll!” Morgana transformed, and they entered the car, and started driving.

“You know, it’s nice to just get things rolling,” Ren pointed out.

“True, but I don’t think most people would be accustomed to Mona turning into a car,” Makoto countered.

“Also true,” Ren replied. They kept driving through Mementos.

They arrived at a portal, and hopped out. “That must be Yuya Uchimura,” Ann sneered. “The jerk who’s been abusing his girlfriend.”

“Let’s get him,” Makoto said seriously. They approached him.

Yuya looked at the oncoming thieves and scoffed. “Tch. What do you want?”

“What we WANT is for you to stop beating your girlfriend,” Makoto demanded.

“Is this another one of those healing aura things?” Yuya asked. “Pah. Bullshit.”

“Healing aura?” Yusuke wondered.

“Yeah,” Yuya countered. “She’s always trying to find something spiritual to ‘help’. Pah. It’s stupid. Why can’t she just stand on her own two feet?”

“Even IF she believes in that stuff, that gives you no excuse to beat her!” Ryuji countered.

“Skull’s right!” Ann continued. “If you disagree, you need to use your words, now throw fists!”

“Bah! You just don’t understand,” Yuya argued. They transformed into a Fuu-ki. “Maybe I should just MAKE you understand!”

“Well, one of us is going to learn something,” Ren said cockily. The thieves engaged with Yuya’s shadow, and won.

Yuya’s shadow reverted. “Why? How did you have the power to defeat me?”

“Well, it was all of us versus you for starters…” Sumire dryly pointed out

“But also we believed in ourselves!” Ryuji.

“I believe in myself too!” Yuya protested.

“Hm,” Ren smirked. “But only yourself?” Yuya seemed confused. “We believe in each other as well. Our power comes through cooperation. Do you not trust your girlfriend?”

“I…I know I should,” Yuya said. “But if she can’t have faith in herself…”

“Why does it bother you so much that she believes in spirituality?” Ren asked.

Yuya looked at her intently. “I lost my family a few years ago. She’s all I have. Yet, she believes in outside forces that control the world. If those outside forces exist, they killed my family. And she acts like that doesn’t matter.”

“She cares about you,” Ren shot back.

“Huh?” Yuya said.

“She cares for you deeply,” Ren went on. “She hasn’t let you go despite everything you’ve done. And her belief in you led us to this, right?”

Yuya chuckled. “I guess. I must admit defeat. I’ll try and talk things out with her. Thank you.” Yuya faded.

“Well, that was something,” Morgana said.

“Sorry,” Ren said. “Maybe I should have given you more details.”

“Nah, it’s fine,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Jose said. “Like Skull said, no matter the reason, he shouldn’t beat his girlfriend.”

“Can’t argue there,” Ren said. They continued down through Mementos.

They arrived at the next doorway, where another person’s shadow was standing. “Wait, I’ve seen her before!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Well, if you have, then it sounds like this is Yumeko Mogami,” Makoto rationalized.

“The girl who’s obsessing over someone?” Sumire wondered.

“It’s not that she's just obsessing,” Ren reminded her. “It’s getting out of control.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “We must put a stop to it before anyone gets hurt.”

They approached. “Y-You’re the Phantom Thieves!” Yumeko exclaimed.

“That we are,” Jose answered.

“I KNEW it!” Yumeko. “Iknewitiknewitiknewitiknewitw! You’re trying to take Ikesugi away from me!”

“What?” Ann wondered. “Um, no?”

“You lying bitch!” Yumeko said.

“Excuse me?” Ann answered.

“Ikesugi is the hottest, cutest, sweetest guy in school!” Yumeko defended. “There’s no WAY you don’t want him! Well, too bad. He’s MINE!”

“Ummmm, no?” Ann said.

Yumeko gasped. “You mean you DON’T appreciate Ikesugi?!”

“I don't think this will get us anywhere,” Yusuke said.

“Grrr,” Morgana hissed. “Look! It's OK to like someone! But you’re threatening to kill people over it!”

“Heh,” Yumeko laughed. “That’s because Ikesugi and I will be together forever! Our love is stronger than any force in the world!” She transformed into Bugs. “INCLUDING YOU!”

“Everyone! Be careful!” Ren instructed. “We don’t know what she’ll do!” Heading those words, the thieves charged into battle. It was a bit unpredictable, but the thieves came out on top.

Once Yumeko transformed back, she started to cry.”Why? Is my love not strong enough?!”

After a moment of hesitation, Morgana walked up to her and said “It might have been too strong. You need to control it.”

“But…But how?” Yumeko asked.

“Well, uhhhhh…” Morgana replied, unsure of what to say.

“You might want to start by taking it down a notch,” Ryuji said.

“This coming from you, Skull?” Yusuke asked.

“Not now!” Ryuji shot back.

“Well, how does Ikesugi feel about all of this?” Jose asked.

“I…I don’t know…” Yumeko answered. “I’ve always loved him from afar.”

“Wait, you’re not even dating?!” Ann said.

“I…was afraid he’d reject me…” Yumeko replied.

“Well, I know how scary that can be,” Sumire said. “But I don’t think the solution is to retreat into your worst instincts. Believe me, that’s gotten me into trouble several times…”

Yumeko could hear the pain in her voice. “I…I’m sorry…”

“Maybe you can try talking to Ikesugi,” Makoto advised. “If things don’t work out, you could probably find a friendly voice on the Phansite.”

“Or you can talk with the student council,” Ren said, returning the favor. “I’m sure they’ll have your back.”

“I see,” Yumeko said. “Alright. I’ll start over. Thank you, Phantom Thieves.” She disappeared.

“I’m glad that’s settled,” Ryuji said, relieved.

“Tell me about it,” Ann said.

“You know, underneath all of that energy, she seems nice,” Ren said. “But only time will tell.” She walked over and unlocked the new area. “Let’s keep going, shall we?” The thieves continued down Mementos.

They soon came across another portal and entered it. “That’s Kazuo Tsuboi!” Ren noted. “The person maiming cats throughout the city.”

“Mona-senpai,” Sumire began, “I know you’re not a cat, but I want you to keep your guard up, OK?”

Morgana groaned. “It’s fine.” They approached.

“What do you want?” Kazuo asked.

“We know you’ve been abusing cars,” Makoto said, sternly.

“Hm, is that all you got?” Kazuo replied.

“How can you say that?!” Ann asked, incensed.

“Listen, in this world, you gotta do what you can to survive,” Kazuo countered. “If some stupid cats getting in my way, what’s it to you?”

“You blame the cats for getting in your way?” Yusuke questioned. “I almost pity you.”

“Hm,” Kazuo grunted. He transformed into Pisaca. “I think you’re getting in my way!”

“Let’s go!” Ren instructed. After another hard-fought battle, the thieves were victorious.

“GAH!” Kazuo yelped in pain.

“Yeah!” Ryuji shouted. “Now you know how those cats feel!”

“This sucks,” Kazuo said. “College is too hard. I needed to relieve some stress.”

“That’s no excuse!” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, there are plenty of ways to relieve stress,” Jose pointed out.

“GAH!” Kazuo yelled. “You’re right…but now…”

Morgana approached carefully. “Listen, whatever you do now, you’ll feel the burden of what you’ve done. Think about a way to make it up to those cats, and the community at large.”

“I’d never thought I’d lose to a cat,” Kazuo said. “But you’re right. I’ll see what I can do.” He faded away.

“Are we still good to keep going?” Ren wondered.

“I’m feeling fine enough,” Ryuji said.

“Those rest stops sure help,” Jose said, cheerfully.

“Plus, I feel like we’re getting stronger,” Makoto said.

“All things to celebrate!” Yusuke cheered.

Ren smiled. “Well then, let’s march onwards.” They continued on through Mementos.

They found another portal and jumped in. “Careful! I think this is Tazio Naguri. He’s been assaulting people.”

Sumire looked at Morgana. “What?” Morgana asked.

“Aren’t you going to return the favor?” Sumire asked.

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Morgana said. “Be careful everyone!” Sumire silently giggled.

They approached Taizo. “Oh, ho, ho, some new challengers,” he said.

“Give it up!” Makoto said.

“Why?” Taizo said. “If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

“What?” Ryuji said.

“It’s an idiom, Skull,” Ann said.

“Oh,” Ryuji replied.

“From what I’ve heard, you bring the heat to people who are out of said kitchen,” Jose pointed out.

“True,” Taizo replied. “I do have a habit of spreading like wildfire.” He transformed into Kin-ki. “And it’s time I burn you up!”

“Hm,” Ren scoffed. “I guess we just need to put you out!” The thieves began their attack. Through their determination, they ended up winning.

When Taizo transformed back, he appeared pale. “How? How could I do such a thing? I got so caught up in my bravado that…I guess I lost myself.”

“Well, I sure hope you learned your lesson,” Sumire said.

“Yeah. I’ll turn myself in,” Taizo said. “I’m sorry.” He disappeared.

“Well, it looks like we have one more target to go,” Morgana said.

“I’ve gotta say, we’re getting pretty good at this,” Sumire said.

“I totally agree,” Ann said.

Ren smiled. “Come on. We’re almost home.” They ventured onward.

They came across another portal and stepped inside. “So, that means this is Shinsuke Kishi, the slave driving boss,” Ann pointed out.

“Pah, what a jerk,” Ryuji said. “I can’t think of a more fitting end for today.”

“You might want to control your temper there, Skull,” Yusuke said. “We don’t want to have to be fighting you down here.”

“Nah, Skull’s fine,” Morgana said. “He has a persona, so there’s little chance he’d lose himself like that.”

“Besides, a little anger is alright,”Ren said.

“Thanks Joker,” Ryuji said. “And Mona… Sorry, I’m not quite used to hearing you say something nice about me.”

“Well, I figured it’s something I could work on,” Morgana admitted. “We are a team after all.”

“That we are,” Ren said. “So let’s show this guy how a team SHOULD be doing business.” They nodded, then approached.

“The Phantom Thieves?” Shinsuke asked. “What are you doing here?”

“We’re here on behalf of your staff,” Jose shouted.

“You need to treat them better,” Ryuji demanded.

“Hmpf,” Shinsuke scoffed. “It’s MY company. I can do with it what I want! I’m in charge!”

“Just because you’re in charge, doesn’t give you the right to do whatever!” Makoto countered.

“You kids just don’t get it,” Shinsuke said. “Very well.” He transformed into Kumbhanda. “I guess I just have to teach you.”

“Let’s get ‘em!” Ren said. The thieves charged in. While it was a little touch and go, the thieves ultimately won in the end.

“BAH!” Shinsuke said. “I lost to a bunch of kids?”

“You’re not so tough out of your office, huh?” Ryuji antagonized.

“Believe me, I’m not tough in there either,” Shinsuke admitted.

“Huh?” Ryuji said, confused.

“I wasn’t ready for this position,” Shinsuke explained. “But I couldn’t say no.” He sighed. “I guess I let the power get to my head.”

“Well, uh, it’s not too late,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Sumire agreed. “You can make the changes needed.”

“Don’t be afraid to listen to your employees,” Makoto instructed. “That’s what they’re there for.”

“I see,” Shinsuke said. “I’ll take that to heart.” He disappeared.

“Whew!” Ryuji said. “I’m starting to get winded.”

“Let’s just go until we hit the next wall,” Ren said. “I want to see what’s up.”

“Sure,” Ryuji said. “We’re done with the missions, so why not?” Ren nodded, and they went back to traveling through Mementos.

They found themselves face to face with the next wall blocking their route. “You know, it’s a bit frustrating that we can’t go all the way down,” Ann said.

“I know,” Makoto said. “But Eris does want us to be prepared. So if we want to defeat her, we need to play her game.”

“I hate to admit it, but you’re right,” Ann said.

“Well then, now that that’s settled, let’s head back,” Ren said. They proceeded to head up for the day.

Notes:

I didn't necessarily plan it so that each Mementos mission would go up by one each time, and I'm not sure if that trend will continue. But speaking of the previous missions, this one is a bit different. I don't know if it's as long, and part of that is state in the chapter. They don't need to explain Morgana's car form, or any other intricacies of Mementos, since there's no new member joining them for the first time. The other reason is where we are in the story. They're waiting for Futaba to recover and take care of the Medjed threat, so there's nothing else really there. This is more of a reprieve than anything. It's not that stuff isn't happening, it's just for the time being, it's happening either behind the scenes, or at a snail's pace. But I still like this chapter overall, and I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Chapter 97: Anxiety

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren walked back into LeBlanc from her trek into Mementos. “So, you always look this rough when going over to that Metaverse place?” Sojiro asked.

“It’s not easy,” Ren replied.

“I can believe that,” Sojiro said.

“How’s Futaba doing?” Ren asked.

“She’s doing well,” Sojiro answered.

“That’s good to hear,” Ren said. SHe started heading upstairs.

“Hold on,” Sojiro said. “I got a call from your parents. They’re going to stop by for a few days next week.”

“Oh…” Ren reacted. “Yay…”

“Are you alright?” Sojiro asked.

“I’m just a little tired,” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “You know I can tell when you’re lying, right?”

“Um, not really,” Ren retorted. “You didn’t know I was the leader of the Phantom Thieves until recently.”

Sojiro stared at her. “Well, whenever you’re ready to have that conversation, I’ll be here.”

Ren didn’t quite know what to say. “Very well…” She headed to her room.

After getting changed into her pajamas, she flopped onto her bed. Morgana came down and nestled himself at the foot of the bed. “Hey,” Morgana said. “You’ll be fine.”

Ren slightly smiled. “Thanks for trying to cheer me up.”

“I mean it,” Morgana said more forcefully. “I’ve seen you facing down people hellbent on destruction, helping people left and right, and fighting countless shadows. You’re great, and you’ll do great.”

Ren sighed. “I know, but… This is different.”

“Different how?” Morgana asked.

“Well,” Ren began, “this is another one of my personal wars. You know how hard it was for m to tell you that I’m lesbian, or that I have a sister. This is like that times a million.”

Morgana scoffed. “Man, you and Sumire really do belong with each other.’

Ren was a little incensed. “What does that mean?”

“You and her are both confident in everyone but yourselves,” Morgana explained.

“Oh,” Ren replied, a wave of realization washing over her. She smiled. “That actually did cheer me up. Thanks Morgana.”

“You’re welcome,” Morgana said.

“Well, good night,” Ren said.

“Good night,” Morgana replied. They both fell asleep.

The next day, while Ren was having breakfast, she got a message from Makoto.

Makoto: Hey.

Makoto: You know I’m supposed to be watching over Futaba today.

Makoto: But, would you mind coming over?

Makoto: There’s something I’d like to talk with you about.

Ren: Sure.

Ren: I’ll meet you there.

Makoto: Thanks.

Ren put her phone down, and finished eating breakfast.

Later, she arrived in Futaba’s room. Makoto was already there. “Hey,” Makoto said.

Ren nodded. “How are you?” She took a seat.

Makoto grew worried. “Well, I’m a bit concerned. See, I’ve been hanging out with Eiko-chan whenever we’re both available. And it’s been going well…until recently…”

“What happened?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Makoto murmured. “She’s been seeing someone. And I’m not sure if I trust them.”

“How come?” Ren inquired.

Makoto sighed. “He’s a host up in Shinjuku, for starters.”

“Even so, you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover,” Ren reminded her. “I mean, a lot of people didn’t know about Kamoshida, or Madarame, or… Well, I guess Kaneshiro might be a bad example…”

Makoto shook her head. “I know, but…something felt off about him when we met. But you may be right. But…GAH!”

“This…sounds more difficult than it first appears,” Ren noted.

“Tell me about it,” Makoto said. “I mean, I remained pleasant throughout our conversation, but once he left, Eiko could tell what I was thinking.”

“What did you say?” Ren asked.

Makoto shrugged. “I just said I was cautious by nature. She believed me, but I don’t know if I can pretend to like this guy for too long.”

“Well, what if you didn’t have to pretend?” Ren asked.

“What do you mean?” Makoto asked.

“Well, I mean, what if you actually grew to like him?” Ren proposed. “Or at least trust him.”

“Hm, maybe…” Makoto said. “I want to believe in myself more. If my gut is saying something’s wrong, I want to listen to it. That’s kind of the reason I asked you here. You’re just about the strongest person I know.” Something in the wording of that caused Ren to tear up a little. As Makoto noticed these tears, she asked “Oh, did I say something wrong?”

“Huh?” Ren said. She noticed her tears, and wiped them away. “Oh, it’s nothing. I’m just…” she sighed. “My parents are coming over for a visit.”

“Oh?” Makoto said. “That sounds nice.”

“It does…” Ren said. “...Until you take into account that they haven’t contacted me since I moved out here, they were distant even before then, and they still don’t know I’m a lesbian.”

“Oh!” Makoto said. “I see.”

Ren sighed once more. “I dunno, I’m just worried. I feel like I’ve changed so much, but I feel too afraid to tell them anything. I feel like…maybe they’ll hate me.”

“WHAT?!” Futaba said, waking up from her nap. “That’s prepo…prepos…dumb!” Ren and Makoto were worried. “You’re such a kind and caring person. You assured me when we took down that thing together. You are amazing! In fact, I’ll come over and tell them that mys-HURF!” She grabbed the trash can, and threw up before passing out again.

Ren smiled awkwardly. “You keep resting Futaba, OK?”

“O…K…” Futaba muttered.

“I did not expect that,” Makoto said.

Ren giggled. “I liked it.” She scowled again. “I mean, I’m still nervous, but seeing her say that gave me more confidence.”

“You’re welcome…” Futaba muttered.

“Well, I’ve gotta say,” Makoto began, “I think anyone else in the Phantom Thieves would say similar things.”

Ren smirked. “Thanks.”

“I mean it,” Makoto insisted. “I mean, you’re not the leader for nothing.”

“I guess,” Ren said. “But I feel like a lot of my strength comes from you all. Not just the Phantom Thieves, but all my friends in Tokyo. If I was still alone, I don’t know what I would do.”

“Well, from what I’ve learned in my years in the student council, is that you gotta play to your strengths,” Makoto said. “If you don’t feel confident alone, don’t be. I’m sure we’d all volunteer to help out.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks. But I think Sumire might be helping me out primarily.”

“Right. You two are dating after all,” Makoto said.

“But if we need help, I won’t be afraid to call,” Ren assured her.

“Thanks,” Makoto said.

“But, I think you also need to listen to your own advice,” Ren added.

“Huh?” Makoto said.

“Play to your strengths,” Ren repeated. “I know you want to believe in your friend, and you don’t want to upset her, but you also want to trust yourself. Maybe you should investigate. See where that takes you. I mean, you figured us out, right?”

“Right…” Makoto agreed.

“I’m sure you’ll figure something out by putting that Makoto-level of investigation and determination to this,” Ren said.

Makoto thought about it. “Hmmm. Perhaps you’re right. I just don’t want to mess this up, you know?”

“Well, whatever happens, you know we’re all here for you too,” Ren said.

Makoto chuckled. “I guess your strength is my strength.”

“And your strength is my strength,” Ren shot back.

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 5

They kept watch over Futaba for a while. Despite her earlier outburst, she rested the rest of the day.

Later, Ren got a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: I’m having another speech tonight, and I would like your help.

Yoshida: Perhaps you could invite your girlfriend for dinner afterwards?

Ren: I’d have to ask her about that.

Ren: But I’ll show up to help.

Yoshida: Thank you.

Ren smiled, and then texted Sumire.

Ren: Mr. Yoshida invited us to dinner after his speech.

Ren: Are you interested?

Sumire: Of course!

Sumire: Is he speaking at the same place as last time?

Ren: I believe so.

Ren: I’ve never assisted him elsewhere.

Sumire: OK then.

Sumire: I’ll see you there.

Ren: Can’t wait.

Ren headed off to help Yoshida.

When she arrived, she was greeted by Mr. Yoshida with a “Well, what did she say?”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “She said she’d come.”

“Excellent,” Yoshida said.

Ren got a message.

Sumire: I’m here. The crowd is kind of big.

Ren: Are you going to be alright?

Sumire: I’ll be fine knowing you’re here too.

Sumire: See you after the speech.

Ren: Take care.

Ren put her phone away and said “She’s waiting and from the sound of it, she’s not the only one.”

“Ah ha,” Yoshida laughed. “Well, best not keep them waiting then. Shall we?”

Ren nodded. “We shall.” Yoshida headed out, while Ren grabbed the topic card. “Tonight’s Topic: The Importance of Accountability and Taking a Stand.”

Yoshida began. “People of Tokyo! Once again, The Phantom Thieves are embroiled in a conflict. This time, with renowned hacking group Medjed. However, not too long ago people looked up to Medjed the way that people currently look up to The Phantom Thieves.

Medjed used to be renowned for its heroism, but currently, they are only motivated by their own ends. One of the primary reasons for that is their lack of accountability. They operate in the shadows, and with no one to guide them, they delve into their own selfishness. Of course, I have no evidence that The Phantom Thieves will end up the same way. However, this is why I believe we cannot rely on them forever.

As you may be aware, I fell into such a trap myself. I thought I had no accountability because of the connections I had. But I was soundly proven wrong. It was because of this that I learned that no after what, I had to be able to stand on my own two feet.

I believe in the things I preach, and I promise I will make your voice heard. However, it’s important to make your own voice be heard too. Hiding behind something, whether it be anonymity, or personal connections, or even fear, only leads to consequences. If you want things to change, take a stand. Believe in yourself. Put your foot down, and lay your truth bare. Thank you.”

The crowd was actually very impressed, and some of them were even motivated to do something. Ren and Yoshida met behind the stage. “What did you think of the speech, Amamiya-chan?”

“I…really liked it,” Ren answered. “It sort of helped me with something on my mind.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Yoshida siad.

“As am I,” said a familiar voice. They turned to see Dietman Matsushita approaching. “A good politician is meant to push greater ideals.”

“What brings you here this time?” Yoshida said.

“Come now,” Matsushita said. “Even if I had an agenda, it would still be nice to engage in small talk with an old friend.”

Yoshida sighed. “You’re right. I’m sorry.”

“I understand,” Matsushita replied. “But I do have something I need to inform you about.” Yoshida became interested, as did Ren. “One of the things that the party leaders are concerned about with you is that they’ve heard mumblings that Old Man Kuramoto might try to take you under his wing again.”

“WHA?!” Yoshida yelped.

“Of course, I know how ludicrous that sounds, having been a former member of the Kuramoto Children myself,” Matsushita explained. “However, they have reason to believe you might accept.”

“Do you happen to know why?” Yoshida asked.

“I’m not certain about that,” Matsushita explained. “I just know that Kuramoto’s grandson is probably going to contact you soon.”

“I see,” Yoshida said “Thank you for the heads up.”

Matsushita nodded. “One more thing about the meeting,” he said. “I’m sure if they’re contacting you, they’re familiar with your rhetoric. Tread lightly, OK? I don’t want you ending up like Minamoto.”

Yoshida crossed his arms. “You and I both know that no matter what happens, I’m not going to be the next Minamoto.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Matsushita said. “From the speeches I’ve heard, I can see that happening.”

“Well, thanks for the compliment,” Yoshida smiled. “However, I still have a way to go before I reach his level.”

Matsushita nodded again. “You take care now.” He left.

“So, who’s Minamoto?” Ren asked.

“Ah, he was a politician, and a revolutionary one at that,” Yoshida explained. “He was incredibly popular with the people, and proposed some big changes. He even made a bid to become the Prime Minister. However, he was assassinated before he could.” “Oh…” Ren said.

“They never caught the killer,” Yoshida continued.. Some believe he was taken out by people in high places who wanted to keep the status quo. However, there’s no evidence either way.”

“I see… So, are you nervous?” Ren asked. “About the meeting?”

“A little,” Yoshida admitted. “But I’m used to it. Being a politician for so long takes the edge off.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Sumire walked up to the two of them. “Was that…Dietman Matsushita just now?”

Yoshida nodded. “Yes. He and I are old colleagues.”

“Oh,” Sumire said. “I’ve seen him being interviewed a few times on Good Morning Japan. He’s actually quite nice.”

“That he is,” Yoshida replied.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” Sumire said. “Your speech was excellent too. It really helped me put some things into perspective.”

“You too, huh?” Yoshida said. Sumire was confused, while Ren was slightly embarrassed. “Amamiya-chan told me something similar.”

Sumire lightly blushed. “Oh.”

Yoshida nodded. “Come now. I believe we have a dinner to get to.” The two girls nodded. They walked over to the beef bowl restaurant and sat at adjoining seats. Once their orders were placed, Yoshida asked Ren “Pardon me for intruding, but what exactly is on your mind?”

Ren looked up at him. “Well…” She sighed. “My parents are coming to visit soon.”

“You mean they haven’t already?” Yoshida asked.

“Not really,” Ren said. “I’m just nervous because…well…I’ve changed so much since coming here. But I’m still not sure I’m ready to face them.”

Sumire grabbed Ren’s hand. “It’s OK. You know I’ll be there for you.”

Ren smiled slightly. “Thanks, but as much as I appreciate that, it’s also part of the reason I’m nervous.”

“You haven’t told your parents you like girls,” Yoshida surmised.

“Yeah,” Ren said embarrassed. “I don’t know how they’ll take it…”

“Well, if you’re any indication, I think things will go alright,” Yoshida replied.

Ren was slightly shocked. “How do you know that?”

“Well, this is just a thought,” Yoshida began, “but I’ve seen a lot as a politician. From what I can gather, you’re not chained by doubt, nor fiercely despise your parents. To me, that combined with my interactions with you tells me that your parents haven’t done anything extremely wrong. Although, that’s just a hunch.”

Ren thought about it. “I don’t think so either, but…I’m not sure they were the best either.”

“That’s perfectly fine,” Yoshida said, much to Ren’s surprise. “We all have our shortcomings. But I’m sure things will be fine if you talk through your concerns with your parents.”

Ren smiled nervously. “I guess. I think I learned that after our first date.”

“You’re still thinking about that?” Sumire asked.

“I mean, a little…” Ren admitted.

“What happened?” Yoshida asked.

“Well, I mean, I guess it’s my fault,” Sumire said. “I didn’t tell Ren that I had told my dad that we were dating, so Ren tried to play it off like we weren’t for a bit.”

“I see,” Yoshida said.

“We sorted it out, but I still feel a little embarrassed,” Ren elaborated. She took a deep breath. “But maybe things will get better when I confront those demons.”

“I know they did when I first started gaining confidence from you,” Sumire said. “I don’t think I would have done well at my gymnastics meet without you.”

“Ah, you’re in gymnastics, Sumirie-chan was it?” Yoshida asked.

Sumire nodded. “Yes.” She frowned slightly.

Ren pulled her in for a side hug. “Just like you’re there for me, I’m here for you.”

Sumire smiled a little. “Thank you Ren.”

“Did I strike a nerve?” Yoshida asked.

Sumire shook her head. “It’s not that.” She explained her circumstances to Yoshida.

“Oh my,” Yoshida responded. “I am sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you,” Sumire said. “Your speech tonight really helped me understand some things. I’ve been telling myself similar things. I had no idea that even adults can feel like that sometimes. It feels nice to know that I’m not alone.”

“Bah ha, that should be the job of every politician,” Yoshida said. “But still, it’s nice to hear. If either of you ever need anything, or if things don’t go exactly as you’d hope, feel free to contact me. I’ll do whatever it takes to help out. Even if it’s just lending a friendly ear.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 6

The group ate their meals, engaged in a little banter, and then headed out.

When Ren got back to LeBlanc, she saw that Sojiro was still there. She was a little caught off guard. “Are you ready?”

She wasn’t roughly 24 hours ago, but after everything that happened today, she felt like she could give it a go. She sat down at the counter. “Yeah.” Sojiro slid her a coffee. She explained her anxiety to Sojiro, who listened patiently. “So, that’s the gist of it.”

Sojiro nodded. “I see. Well, just know whatever happens, I’ll be on your side in all of this. Heck, I’ve been known to make a convincing argument from time to time.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Sojiro.” She finished her coffee, and went to bed, feeling better and more relaxed.

Notes:

First, I don't know if I actually need to explain this, but Futaba absolutely knows how to say "preposterous", she's just delirious still.

Anyways, I've brought up the issue of August being mostly confidants, and the acceleration problem I perceived comes with it. Well, I think I have a way around it. I've made a deal with someone else, and I'm going to do something with an idea of theirs. I don't want to give anything away just yet.

As for the chapter itself, it is a bit meatier for a confidant chapter. Probably because it has some ties in some clearer upcoming story content, but still. I think it turned out pretty well, don't you think? Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 98: Future Sight

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ann stopped by LeBlanc. When Ren opened the door to see her, she noticed Ann looked a little worried. “Hey Ann,” Ren said. “You feeling alright?”

“Mmmmm,” Ann groaned. She sighed. “I have another shoot with Mika today, and I was wondering if you could accompany me today as well. You know, to help me keep my cool.”

Ren smiled. “Sure. Just a minute.” She closed the door. She came back ready to go, and the two headed off. “So, where are we going?”

Ann smiled. “We’re going to the Skytree! I’ve had a few shoots there before. It’s just an amazing place.”

“Provided you’re not afraid of heights,” Ren said.

“Oh, are you afraid of heights?” Ann asked.

“No, I’m just saying…” Ren answered.

“Oh,” Ann replied. “Well, I’m not either. What I am afraid of is being squeezed out by Mika again today.”

“Well, let’s keep our fingers crossed,” Ren instructed. The two made their way to the Skytree.

When they arrived, they saw Mika talking with the crew. “There she is,” Ann said. She squeezed her fist.

“You alright?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Ann said, determined. They started to approach.

Mika saw them. She put on a smile, walked over, and said “Hiiiiii Takamaki-san!”

“Oh, uh, HI!” Ann said, trying to match her sudden enthusiasm.

Mika frowned. “I’m sorry,” she said, taking Ann by surprise. “We got off on the wrong foot last time. Could you find it in your heart to forgive me?”

“Oh, uh, of course!” Ann said, smiling.

“Yay!” Mika cheered.

“Uh, Ann?” Ren said. “Can I talk with you for a second? Privately?”

“Oh, uh, sure,” Ann answered. “Sorry. I’ll be back in just a moment.” Ann and Ren walked away and started whispering. “What is it?”

“Well…” Ren said, a little nervously. “I just want you to be careful.”

“Huh?” Ann reacted.

“It’s just…” Ren continued. “I’ve been in situations before where someone like Mika apologized to me, but didn’t mean it…”

Ann got a little serious. “I know where you’re coming from, but if I do try and call her bluff, she’d just turn it on me, even if she wasn’t bluffing.”

Ren resigned herself. “I’ve been there too…”

“I just gotta not let her get to me, you know,” Ann said.

“Just tread carefully is all I’m saying,” Ren told her. Ann nodded. They headed back.

“What were you talking about?” Mika asked.

“Oh, you know, just high schooler things,” Ann said, playing it off.

“I see,” Mika said. “So are you excited for the shoot?”

“Totally,” Ann said. “I always love coming here.”

Mika nodded. “So, what are some of your rituals?”

“Huh?” Ann wondered.

“How do you prepare?” Mika asked.

“Ummmm, I show up?” Ann answered.

“But do you do anything before showing up?” Mika inquired further. “I’ve noticed you starting bringing your friend over. That’s something right.”

“Well, I’ve always been told I could,” Ann said. “But I never had the opportunity until recently.”

“Oh. How fascinating,” Mika said. “Is there anything else you do?”

“Um, shouldn’t we get ready for the shot?” Ann wondered.

“They're still setting up,” Mika said. “Apparently, the original models didn’t show up, so they had to set everything up at the last minute.”

“I see…” Ann said.

“Now, can I ask about your diet? Your training regiment?” Mika further inquired. “How do you keep such a figure?”

“Um, well, I just do?” Ann said, not really sure what Mika was looking for actually.

Mika’s face soured. “Don’t tell me you’re keeping secrets from me.”

“What, no?!” Ann shouted back. “I just…never really think about that kind of thing…”

“Never?” Mika asked.

“Not really…” Ann repeated.

Mika got a little angry. “So, you don’t take this seriously…”

Ann became more alert and defensive. “I didn’t-”

“Do you want to be a model or not?!” ika asked.

“Well…” Ann replied, not really answering.

“Alright, we’re ready!” one of the crew said.

Mika smirked. She then put on a cheery face. “Coming!”

Ann started walking over as well. “Hey,” Ren said. “Good luck.”

Ann smiled at her. “Thanks.” She walked over for the shoot.

The shoot was going alright, but both Ann and Ren could tell that the crew was paying more attention to Mika. One of the crew asked “Hey, Takamaki? Are you feeling alright?”

Ann looked up. “Huh? Oh, yeah. I just...it’s fine.”

“What is it?” the crew member asked.

“Don’t worry about it,” Ann said. “I’ll be alright?”

“Is it me?” Mika said. “Am I not a good enough modeling partner for you?”

Both Ann and Ren were impressed by the underhandedness and audacity of this. Still, Ann vowed to remain calm. “N-No, of course not.”

“You and your friend were talking by yourselves earlier,” Mika pointed out. “Was it about me?”

“Of course not,” Ann said, a little nervously.

“Are you sure you’re fine?” the crew member asked. “Because if you have a problem, we can do the shoot with just Mika.”

Ann went a little pale. She looked over at Ren. Ren was giving her an encouraging look. Ann sighed, looked up at the crew, bowed, and said “Thanks. I’ve got a lot on my mind, so I guess I needed a break. I’ll work harder next time.”

The crew member nodded. “Of course, Takamaki-san. I hope you feel better soon.”

Ann walked over to Ren. Before Ren could say anything, Ann just said “Let’s go.” Ren was confused, but knew Ann had her reasons. She followed her friend out.

They arrived at a nearby scone stand. “I figured we’d end up at a place like this,” Ren remarked. She sat down next to Ann, and the two placed their orders. “So, why’d you leave?”

Ann smiled nervously, and then sighed. “I know you were trying to get me to stay, but it actually helped me make the decision to leave.” Ren was confused. “I mean, not in a bad way, or anything,” Ann explained. “But like…” She sighed again. “I knew Mika was still trying to undercut me. I thought I had gotten over a lot of that after Kamoshida’s confession. But when Mika asked ‘Do you want to be a model or not?’ I kind of lost myself, and fell into her rhythm.

And I sort of panicked. All that time, I was having flashbacks to that dress shoot where they ended up not using my photos. I figured if I had stayed, things would turn out similarly. So, when I saw you giving me encouragement, I knew I had to be the bigger person, and leave on my own terms. It’s frustrating, I know, but sometimes you just need to roll with the punches.”

Ren patted Ann’s back. “It’ll be OK,” she said. They kept eating their scones. “So, it sounds like you’ve got a lot to think about, huh? Whether you still want to be a model or not...”

“What? No,” Ann said. “I know we've talked in the past about how my heart might not fully be into modeling. But I have been thinking. I’ve said I wanted to be a light in this world, and that hasn’t changed. Whether it be through modeling or not was something I wasn’t sure about. However, after talking with Mika again, and seeing just how devious and cutthroat she is, I think I’ve made a decision.”

“Oh?” Ren inquired.

Ann nodded. “A lot of people believe that the modeling industry is like that. And with people like Mika around, I can’t blame them. But I know modeling can be something amazing. So, I’ve decided that I want to show the world what I see in modeling. The absolute power and freedom in expressing yourself; to me, there’s nothing quite like that. I want the world to see that, while also showing people that things will be alright.”

“I see,” Ren said. She took another bite of her scone. “So, why did you decide to leave the shoot?”

“Well,” Ann began, “while I know what I want now, I know I’m not quite ready to start pursuing that. The reason I left was because I know I need to collect myself. If I were to just start right then, I would trip and fall. I need time to think about what I need to do next in order to achieve my goal.”

“Well, I think that’s very mature of you,” Ren said. “If there’s anything you need, you know I’m there for you.”

“Thanks, but you don’t need to say that,” Ann said. “I mean, after all we’ve been through, I know that for a fact.”

“Eh, I kind of felt like saying it,” Ren responded. “Besides, I know you like it when people affirm things.”

Ann giggled. “Shut up.” She finished off her scone. “Thanks.”

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 7

Ren finished her scone and the two left.

Ren decided to head up to Shinjuku to see how things were going with Chihaya and her fortune telling business. When she got there, she saw the woman from earlier. She noticed Ren as well. “Oh, it’s you!” she exclaimed. “I don’t know what you did, but you really helped! He’s become the man I always knew he was.”

“It was nothing…” Ren said, trying to play it cool.

“Yeah,” the woman said. “Nothing short of amazing!”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Ren said.

“Oh, don’t be so modest,” the woman said. She got out her purse. “How much do you want?”

Before Ren could answer, Chihaya interjected. “Um, if it’s alright, I’ll take care of the payment.”

“Really?” the woman asked.

“Yeah,” Chihaya said. “I mean, you’ve been coming to me for a while. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say you’d be paying her through me.”

“Are you sure?” the woman asked. “I don’t want to be a burden.”

“I insist,” Chihaya said.

The woman nodded. “Well then, thank you.” She bowed. “I have to get going now. My boyfriend and I still have some things to discuss. But thank you for everything.” She left.

Ren approached the table and sat down. “So, are you actually going to pay me?”

Chihaya was nervous. “Here,” she said, handing Ren a huge stack of cash.

When Ren counted it it was 100,000 yen. “This is…”

“Don’t…ask…” Chihaya said. She sighed. “Listen, I don’t know what you did, but it seemed to work. How did you do it?”

“Well, it’s a bit complicated,” Ren said. “I can’t exactly say…”

“Right,” Chihaya noted. “You said your powers were unhoned.” She grew determined. “Well, you want help channeling your energy.”

“That’s right,” Ren said. “And I’ll help you gain confidence.”

Chihaya looked at Ren intently. “I sense a deeper reason for this.” Ren began to sweat. “But I do need confidence. So, whatever the reason, I accept your offer.”

Ren smirked and nodded. “Got it.”

“However,” Chihaya said, “I just want you to know that my power, or your power if it is different from mine, is not easy to manage. You may have been successful in helping one person, but it might not be like that always, or even ever again.”

Ren shrugged. “Well, I believe in my power, and I think it can be helpful.”

Chihaya looked at her, and then chuckled. “I guess I do need more of your confidence.” She stood up. “Hold on a second. Do you mind watching this space for me?” Ren shook her head. “Thanks.” She walked away for a bit. She came back with some drinks from a nearby vending machine, and gave one to Ren. “Here’s to our new partnership!” They clinked their cans.

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Fortune Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 1

They drank their drinks. “Here's my contact information,” Chihaya said. “I’ll message you when I’m available to help.”

“Oh, I don’t need that,” Ren said. “I think I’ll know psychically when I’m needed.” Chihaya looked at her bemused. “I'm just kidding,” Ren said, taking the contact info. “Thanks.”

Chihaya giggled. “You’re welcome.”

They finished their drinks, and Ren headed home for the night.

Notes:

One of the things I don't quite like or maybe just don't understand is Ann 7 in the games. In the games, it feels like a hotheaded reactionary snap decision that Ann makes to continue modeling, and I don't know if I fully believe it at that point. To me there's nothing motivating me to tell Ann to go for it at that moment.

I sort of get it. It's hard to have a full, nuanced conversation when one side is limited to certain dialogue options. That's part of the fun of doing this story, but maybe making the protagonist a fully fleshed out out character might be something to strive for in the next Persona. Although, Persona as a series is kind of adhering to more traditional RPG elements, even with a lot of the quality of life upgrades P5 and P5R brought. So it becomes a Ship of Theseus deal, where if you remove too many elements it might not be the same anymore.

Although, thinking about it now, my complaint might just show how sort of accessible P5 is. I'm a cis-straight male, and I'm not that much in tune with the fashion and modeling world, and it doesn't entirely interest me. But maybe this isn't for me. Maybe someone who is more similar to Ann could understand this better and relate 100%. But that's kind of the point. It's not that the P5 story showcases a group of people who are entirely the same as the heroes, but rather a diverse and dynamic group of individuals who are like-minded as the heroes. And through that unity, they triumph in the face of adversity.

I like to think I wrote it in such a way that people who can understand Ann's position in the original source can still get behind it, while also making it make sense to people like me. I did not think I'd say this much, but I guess I have a lot of feelings about this, and I guess the game in general. Anyways, please enjoy.

Chapter 99: Playing With the Boys

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

At breakfast the next day, Ren got a message from Yusuke.

Yusuke: Pardon me, but would you mind meeting me at the park?

Yusuke: I’ve got an idea that might help me improve my art.

Ren: Sure. Sounds like fun.

Yusuke: Well, I am trying to find my voice as an artist.

Yusuke: That said, there is a charm in doing what you enjoy.

Yusuke: Right. I shall see you later then!

Ren: Later!

Ren finished her breakfast, and headed out.

She went to the park and soon found Yusuke. “Hey Yusuke,” she said.

“Hello,” Yusuke replied.

“So, what are we doing?” Ren asked.

“Hm hm,” Yusuke chuckled. “As you know, I need to see the world and react to it in order to figure myself out as an artist.”

“Right,” Ren said, unsure of where this is going.

“Well, I figured I should look into one of the most mysterious of emotions: Love!” Yusuke proclaimed.

“I see,” Ren said. “And we’re here because…?”

“Well, couples come here to ride boats all the time,” Yusuke said. “So I want to capture such an outing.”

“Ah,” Ren said. “Should I invite Sumire then…?”

“Huh?” Yusuke said.

“Well, we’d be a couple in a boat, right?” Ren said.

“True, but that would be staged,” Yusuke. “I want to see the real thing!”

“OK then,” Ren said. “So, why AM I here?”

“Well, if I’m going out in the boat to capture such love, I need someone to hold the boat steady for me,” Yusuke explained.

“Gotcha,” Ren said. “That makes sense.”

“Well then, shall we?” Yusuke asked.

“We shall,” Ren replied. They headed off to rent a boat.

On the water, Yusuke was looking around. “Hm,” Yusuke pondered. “It’s the summer, the perfect time for such an event, and yet, I have yet to see a couple.”

“Well, maybe they’d prefer to be alone,” Ren said.

“Interesting,” Yusuke said. “Why would that be?”

“Well, moments like this, people tend to be intimate,” Ren said. “Some people would not want to show that off. Plus, some people might not like seeing it.”

“How preposterous!” Yusuke said. “Love is one of the greatest emotions there is! Why not share it with the world?! I’m certain the world could use more love.”

“I agree to some extent,” Ren said, “but you can’t discount a person’s reasons for not wanting to share something publicly.”

“Ah!” Yusuke said. “I think I get it. You didn’t tell me you liked other girls for a little while, did you.”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“I see,” Yusuke said. “This might prove to be a valuable outing yet. Er, I mean, not ‘outing’ like…”

“I get it,” Ren said. She spotted another boat with two people, a man and a woman. “Oh hey, look!” She pointed.

Yusuke looked. “Ah!”

“I’ve always wanted to do this,” the woman said.

“Yeah…” the man said. “I agree it is nice…”

Yusuke inspected them more. “Hold the boat steady for me, OK?” He started sketching. “Yes, this is quite what I had envisioned. I can definitely feel a powerful love coming from these two.” He sketched some more. “Uh-huh, uh-huh,” he continued. “Hmmmmm.” The people in the boat shifted their poses. “Wha! You there!”

The people looked at Yusuke, while Ren facepalmed. “What did I just say about privacy?”

“But they aren’t private,” Yusuke protested. Ren did not have the energy for this argument now. He turned back to the people in the boat. “Can you return to the poses you were just at?!”

“Huh?” the woman said.

“What’s this about?” the man asked.

“Ah! Forgive me!” Yusuke said. “I’m an artist. I came out here today to sketch a couple in love out on these boats. You two look perfect! I just need you to return to your original poses for a little bit while I get some of the details down.”

“UGH!” the man bemoaned.

“Is that too much?” Yusuke asked.

“No,” the woman said, slightly embarrassed. “It’s just…”

“I told you I didn’t want to do this,” the man said.

“Did I start a fight?” Yusuke said. “I apologize.”

“No no,” the woman said. “You’re fine.”

“However, we aren’t a couple,” the man said. Yusuke was confused.

“We’re actually brother and sister,” the woman said. “So, any love you saw was probably familial love.”

“I see…” Yusuke said.

“Why did I come out here?” the brother asked.

“Well, I wanted to,” the sister replied. “And I didn’t have a boyfriend…”

“I guess…” the brother said.

“How could this be?” Yusuke wondered. “I thought I saw it.”

“Well, like they said, you saw something,” Ren assured him. “It just wasn’t what you expected.” She began to rub his shoulder. “It’ll be alright.”

The brother looked up, and saw this. “Huh.” He got out his phone and took a picture. “Hey!” he called out. “What’s your contact info?”

“I beg your pardon?” Yusuke said.

“Well, you and your girlfriend look nice out here too,” the brother said. “I took a picture. Maybe you can use that for a reference.”

“Oh, uh, we aren’t dating either,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah,” Ren replied. “We’re just friends.”

“Oh, I know this!” the sister said excitedly. “It starts out as ‘just friends’, but when the time is right…”

“No, really,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, I’m also going out with someone else,” Ren explained.

“Oh,” the sister said. “Sorry…”

Yusuke looked at the siblings. “However, I would like to see that photo.”

“Huh?” Ren said.

“What for?” the brother asked.

“Well, I want to compare it to my sketch.” Yusuke said. “I mean, both show a kind of love. Maybe I can learn from it.”

“Oh, yeah,” the brother said. “I get it.” He sent Yusuke the photo.

“Thank you!” Yusuke said.

“No problem!” the brother said.

The sister giggled. “You’re so nice. Thanks for bringing me out here. I know it’s not exactly the same, but…”

The brother smiled. “Yeah. But I’m not doing this again.”

“Hm hm, fair,” the sister said.

“Well, I think it’s time for us to go to shore,” Yusuke told Ren. Once they were on dry land again, Yusuke looked at the picture, and then at his sketch. “Hmmmm. I do need to study these more, but I do see the similarities. Now, if only I could understand the inclination to see why people might see these as a pair of lovers.”

“I think it’s just a natural assumption among most people,” Ren said. “Especially in a heteronormative world.”

Yusuke had a stunned look on his face. “So, because the world prioritizes heteronormativity, we see it even when it's not there… Hm. As an artist, I strive to break through such notions to see the world for what it is. However, I fell into such a trap today.”

“Well, nobody’s perfect,” Ren reminded him. “And hey, it sounds like you’re getting the hang of things. Who knows? Maybe your inspiration will come back to you sooner than you think.”

Yusuke smiled. “Well, perhaps another similarity between you and the brother is your willingness to help others. Perhaps I should look to your guidance to find myself too.” He bowed to Ren. “Thank you for today. While it wasn’t what I was expecting, it was certainly helpful.”

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 4

“Well, I’m off to my dorm,” Yusuke said. “I need to study these images further.”

Ren nodded. “Good luck.” Yusuke left, and then Ren left soon after.

Later that night, Ren got a phone call from Ryuji. “Hello?” Ren answered, confused since she’s more used to receiving texts.

“Hi. Sorry,” Ryuji said. “But this is urgent. I found where Yamaguchi likes to hang out, and I need your help.”

“How so?” Ren said.

“Well, the bastard knows me,” Ryuji said. “If I try to get dirt on him, he’ll either not say anything, or confront me.”

“So, you need me to get the goods,” Ren inquired.

“Basically,” Ryuji replied.

“Ryuji, has it occurred to you that while most of the other students don’t know, most of the staff does know I have a record?” Ren asked.

“Ah, it’ll be fine,” Ryuji said. “You haven’t been in trouble since you came to school, right? Besides, Yamaguchi has…um…what’s it called?”

“What’s what called?” Ren asked.

“Argh!” Ryuji sputtered out in frustration. “It’s that thing where he’s just really focused on one thing, and ignores other things…”

“Tunnel vision?” Ren proposed.

“Yeah! That’s it!” Ryuji exclaimed. “Yamaguchi has severe tunnel vision. So he might not even notice you.”

“Well, I’ll take your word on it,” Ren said. “So, where is this place?”

“I’ll just come over to Leblanc and I’ll guide you,” Ryuji said.

“Alright, see you soon,” Ren said.

“Later!” Ryuji said. They hung up. Shortly afterwards, Ryuji showed up, and the two headed for Yamaguchi’s hangout spot. They entered, got a table, and sat down.

Ryuji looked at the entrance, and saw someone come in. “There’s Yamaguchi! I’ll hide in the bathroom, you just record the conversation, OK?”

“Got it,” Ren nodded. Ryuji nodded back and headed for the bathroom. Yamaguchi sat down at the table next to Ren, alongside his associate. Ren pressed the record button.

“So, when are you going to bring back the track team?” Yamaguchi’s friend asked.

“Hm,” Yamaguchi laughed. “I plan on bringing it back when school starts up again in the fall.”

“I see,” Yamaguchi’s friend responded. “I take it things are coming along as you expected.”

“Of course,” Yamaguchi replied. “That Nakaoka should be off the team soon, if he isn’t already. We don’t need traders like that on the track team.”

“I see,” Yamaguchi’s friend said.

“That Takeshi kid has some real spunk in him,” Yamaguchi remarked. “Plus, his mother is in charge of the PTA. Getting in his good graces, and promising him the title of captain is doing wonders. However, he does suck at running. Before we can go to any meets, he’s going to need to suffer an ‘accident’.”

“Yeah,” Yamaguchi’s friends. “But that’s all part of your plan, isn’t it?”

“Of course,” Yamaguchi replied. “Having him take a fall, and yet have the track team continue will show that this track team can stand tall in the face of adversity. And then, by taking this team to nationals, I’ll be a hero. I’ll be all over the news, write a book, and take any speaking opportunities. Of course, the old coach will do all the heavy lifting, while I reap the glory of reassembling a broken track team.”

“You’re a genius,” Yamaguchi’s friend said.

“Indeed I am,” Yamaguchi agreed. “Now, let us change venues. While the food here is good, we can’t get hammered here.”

“Of course,” Yamaguchi’s friend said. They paid their bill and left. Ren stopped recording and messaged Ryuji that it was safe.

After hearing the conversation, Ryuji slammed his fist on the table. “Dammit! Genius my ass. Yamaguchi is a dirtbag is what he is. I almost want to steal his heart now.”

“Well, the option is always there,” Ren reminded him.

“Yeah, I know,” Ryuji replied. “But I wanna give the guys on the team one more chance. I mean, once they hear this, they’ll have the full story. If they still want to go down the path they’re going, then we’ll step in.” Ryuji frowned.

“You OK?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “I’m just thinking. These guys were like my closest friends. Well, aside from Ann and Shiho anyway. But now, I almost don’t recognize them. It just sucks, you know.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Some people I was friends with in elementary school abandoned me in middle school. It can suck when people change. But it’s not always a bad thing.”

Ryuji smirked. “Yeah. I mean, I feel like ever since we formed the Phantom Thieves, I felt myself changing too. I’m realizing things I never even thought about.”

Ren giggled. “I can say the same about myself. I feel better than I have. At least in a little while.”

“I get that people change,” Ryuji said. “I just want them to change for the better.”

“Well, sometimes people need a push in the right direction,” Ren said. “And that’s what we do. As Phantom Thieves, or as friends.”

“Ha ha,” Ryuji chuckled. “You’re right. Thanks for always being there for me. I’m glad we’re friends.”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 7

“Well, as long as we’re here, might as well enjoy ourselves,” Ryuji said. They ate dinner, and then then headed out for the evening.

Notes:

I'm thinking about how this story is going to progress. Honestly, I'm really excited for the rest of this story to take off, but we do have to get through the summer. But this also has me thinking. Another P5R FeMC story called "A Light to the Truth" is currently at 152 chapters, but they seem to be more story focused and into Strikers at this point. I'm at 99 chapters here, and I'm still in the middle of the Futaba arc, with also less words. I know that seeing how my story stands up to another story isn't the best, and every story has its merits, it's just something I'm thinking about.

I haven't read any of it yet, but I am interested, but also it is a commitment. Although my story is also a bit of a commitment as well. Maybe even more so, since I am going in-depth on the Confidants. But I like doing that, and I'm not going to stop at this point.

Something else. I want to talk a little more about what I teed up two chapters ago. There's going to be a little something in the middle of the Futaba arc. I just wanted to say that thinking about it more, it actually helps me in more ways than I had originally anticipated. And I can't wait for it. However, I do have other commitments, so it might be a bit. But when we get there, I think it'll be alright.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 100: Vulnerable

Chapter Text

The next day, there was a knock at the door for Leblanc. Ren and Sojiro were curious about this. Ren went to answer the door, and saw that it was Jose. “Um, hi?” Ren said.

“Is, um, anyone else in here yet?” Jose asked.

“It’s just me and the boss,” Ren told him. “You know, most people can just enter restaurants, right?”

“I know,” Jose said. “But if anyone else were here, things might get difficult.”

“Difficult how?” Ren asked. Jose sent someone a message. A couple seconds later, Cho came around the corner, along with a well-built boy with short, messy, black hair, a black shirt that cuts off before the wrists, blue jeans, and sneakers. “Is that?”

“Yeah,” Jose said.

“I see,” Ren responded. “Just a second. She went back inside to talk with Sojiro. “Hey, um, do you mind if we have a private discussion here?”

Sojiro sighed. “I guess.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. She returned to Jose. “We’re good to go.” Jose nodded.

A bit later, the four were situated at a booth. Sojiro walked up and asked “Do you kids want anything?”

“I’ll take a coffee,” Ren said.

“I’ll go for a soda and curry,” Jose replied.

“I’m good,” the boy said.

“I’ll just have a water,” Cho responded.

“Very well,” Sojiro replied. He went to work on their orders.

Ren looked at the people across from her and Jose. “So, you must be Tama Inoue, correct?”

He nodded. “And Cho tells me you know about us.” Ren nodded back. “She says you want to help us become public.”

“Well, I guess that’s one way to put it,” Ren responded.

Tama looked at them intently. “How?” Ren and Jose were shocked. “How can we do that?”

“Well,” Jose began, “we’re not entirely sure. But that’s why we wanted to talk with you.”

“I see,” Tama said.

Sojiro came around with their orders. “Here you go.”

“Thanks boss,” Ren said. Sojiro slipped back behind the counter. She took a sip of her coffee, while Jose took a bite of his curry.

“I have a question,” Tama said. “Do you think we need to?”

Ren and Jose were again stunned. Ren swallowed her coffee sip. “Well, I think it would be helpful.”

“Why can’t we keep doing what we’ve been doing?” Tama asked.

“You think you can hide your relationship forever?” Ren asked.

“Not forever,” Tama answered. “Just until we get out of high school. Then we can run away together. We won’t have to worry about our families anymore. It’ll just be us.”

“Do you really think you can just keep running?” Jose asked forcefully, catching everyone’s attention. “Do you really think none of this will catch up with you? I mean, I caught you after all. Granted, it was incidental, but still.”

Tama got a little more serious. “I don’t like it either,” he admitted. “But we don’t have much of a choice. I don’t see why we can’t. You promised not to tell anyone without our consent, right? We have the upper hand here.”

“But what about the next person who discovers you?” Jose posited, taking the couple by storm. Jose grew less stern. “I know you’re scared. I get that. Whenever I don’t understand something, I get scared too. But I find it’s helpful to discuss things with the people I care about.” The couple reflected on Jose’s words. “Pardon me, but we haven’t heard from Cho much.” He turned to her. “What do you want?”

Cho seemed a little nervous. “I…actually want to tell everyone…”

Tama was shocked “You can’t be serious!”

“I am!” Cho countered. “I’m sick of hiding this!

“I don’t like it either,” Tama repeated. “I just don’t want anything bad to happen.”

“But this is good?” Cho retorted, stunning her boyfriend. “I hate having to pretend we hate each other. I hate having to keep this all a secret. A part of me dies every time I have to force myself to say something bad about you.”

Tama reflected on his girlfriend’s feelings. “But how do we do it?”

“I…I don’t know…” Cho answered.

“Well, why are your families feuding in the first place?” Ren asked. “From what Jose told me, there doesn’t seem to be a defined reason.”

Cho and Tama were confused. “I’m not sure myself…” Cho replied.

“Yeah, as far as I know, hating the Hirai family has always been a fact of life at my house,” Tama said.

“Well…how did you come to do the opposite?” Jose wondered.

This also surprised the couple. “Well one day, we were squabbling,” Cho began. “It eventually got a little out of control.”

“The teacher gave us detention,” Tama continued. “We stayed silent for a bit, but eventually she broke the ice.”

“We started talking and opening up more,” Cho went on. “While it was a bit hostile at first, we eventually came to enjoy each other’s company.”

“We were secret friends for a bit,” Tama said. “But soon, those feelings turned romantic.”

“And, well, you know the rest,” Cho finished.

“I see,” Jose said. “Why don’t you just tell them that? I mean, it’s the truth, right?”

“It is…” Tama said. “But,” he sighed, “I don’t know. Lying to them has been easier…until now…”

“Well sometimes, the truth hurts,” Jose said. “I’ve had moments where my teacher said my work hasn’t been as good as it could be. And as much as it hurts in the moment, I know they’re right. It drives me to become better at what I do.”

Tama looked at him. “Heh. You’re right. I’ve had experiences like that as well.”

“So, what should we do?” Cho asked.

“I guess we just have to tell our parents,” Tama said.

“Really?” Cho said, surprised.

Tama nodded. “I mean, the kid’s right. I thought we could keep it boxed in, but it slipped out. If we’re going to get found out anyway, it should be on our own terms.”

Cho chuckled. “You’re right.” She turned to Ren and Jose. “Thank you.” Cho finished her water, and the couple left.

“Well, that went better than expected,” Ren noted. She turned to Jose. “And it’s all thanks to you.”

“I just said what I was thinking,” Jose said, blushing.

“That’s a valuable skill,” Ren said. “Some people can’t do that on their own.” Jose blushed further. “So, do you think they’ll be alright”

“To be honest, I’m not sure,” Jose said. “But I know that whatever happens, we have their back.”

Ren nodded. “Right.” Jose pouted a little. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, I’m just thinking,” Jose said. “We’re helping here, but there might be thousands of people in similar situations. As much as I would like to help them all, I don’t know if it’s possible.”

“True,” Ren said. “And like you said, the truth can hurt sometimes. But here’s another truth: As long as there are people like you or I who are willing to help, the people in need of help will get it.”

Jose smiled. “Thanks.”

Aeon-Jose: Rank 6

Jose finished his meal. “I’m gonna head out. I’m going to check on Futaba.” Ren smiled and nodded, as Jose left.

Sojiro walked over. “You good?” he asked.

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“Good,” Sojiro said. “You know, sometimes I wish I had the strength you seem to possess.”

“I’m sure it’s in there somewhere,” Ren replied. “I mean, I don’t think I’d be where I am right now without you.”

“Hm. Maybe you’re right,” Sojiro said. He took the dishes and brought them to the sink. Meanwhile, Ren headed to one of her jobs for the day.

When Ren got back in the evening, she noticed that Sojiro had already left.

Ren: You OK?

Sojiro: Just checking up on Futaba.

Ren: Gotcha.

Ren: How’s she doing?

Sojiro: She’s getting slightly better, but she’s still not all there.

Ren: I see…

Sojiro: Is there anything you can do to speed up the process?

Ren: I know how you feel, but all we can do is watch and wait.

Ren: Nothing bad should happen if we keep an eye on her.

Sojiro: …

Sojiro: Thanks…

Sojiro: Good night.

Ren: Good night.

Ren put away her phone and eyed the payphone in Leblanc. Maybe I should check in on Kawakami. She picked up the phone and requested her.

Kawakami arrived, looking a little peeved. “Seriously? Why did you request me?”

“Well, I figured you’d be more free now that we’re on break,” Ren answered.

Kawakami glared at her. “I mean how I’ve been lying to you…”

“Oh, that,” Ren replied cheekily. “Like I said, it’s fine. I still want to help you.”

Kawakami continued to glare until she gave up. “Ugh.” She sat down in the booth across from Ren. “And like I said, it’s wasted on me.”

“Do you want me to get you some food? Ren asked. Kawakami wanted to say “no” but her stomach growled. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

Ren got up to prepare some curry for the two of them, but Kawakami interjected. “WAIT!” Ren looked at her. “At least let me do it this time…” Kawakami got up, and made some curry while Ren sat down. A little while later, Kawakami arrived with curry for the both of them. “~Here you go Master!~” she said.

Ren smiled. “Itadakimasu!” she said. She began eating. Kawakami followed suit. After a few minutes, Ren asked “So, why do you believe me helping you is a waste?”

“Wha!” Kawakami said, getting caught off guard.

“I’m sure you have a good reason for doing this,” Ren continued. 

Kawakami scowled. “You just don’t know when to give up, do you?”

“Well, I was arrested,” Ren joked.

“I’m surprised you can joke about that,” Kawakami said.

“Eh, you gotta take things with a grain of salt,” Ren admitted.

Kawakami frowned. “I wish I had the luxury to think like that.” She grew more serious. “You wanna know why your kindness is wasted on me?” Ren nodded. She sighed. “Very well then.”

She composed herself. “Before I taught at Shujin, I taught at a different school. Back then, I was a teacher with ideals. I had dreams of making sure every student could succeed.” She frowned. “There was a kid with a bad reputation. His name was Taiki Takase. He had the lowest grades in all of the school, and would frequently cut class. There were rumors that he was a full on delinquent. I pulled him into the guidance office to, well, guide him. You know what he did?” Ren shook her head. “He apologized.” Ren was a bit surprised.

Kawakami continued. “He explained that he had lost his parents, and in order to help out his adopted parents, he had to take numerous part-time jobs. He told me he couldn’t focus too much in class.

I took pity on him. So, I did what I thought any ideal teacher would, and offered to tutor him privately to help keep his grades up. It actually went fairly well for a bit. However, when the higher ups at my school found out, they told me I had to stop.”

“Why?” Ren asked.

“Well, because of his reputation,” Kawakami answered. Ren scowled. “I didn’t like it either. I knew Takase was more than that. But I couldn’t do anything.” She started to well up. “I called him to talk about this. However, it was during a night with heavy rain, and he was getting out of one of his jobs.” Tears started to drop. “He got into an accident, and died.” Ren’s face went pale.

“After the incident, it was agreed that I had to transfer schools,” Kawakami said. “I wasn’t sure if anyone would take me in after what had happened, but as luck would have it, Shujin accepted me right away.”

“Maybe that’s why I was placed in your class?” Ren offered.

Kawakami was stunned. “I…hadn’t thought of that… Heh. I guess it makes sense though.” She sighed. “Takase’s adoptive parents found out about what we were doing. And they blame me for what happened. They said I worked him too hard, and he died because of it. So now I have to pay them back.”

Ren was still saddened, but also confused. “You know that’s not true, right?”

Kawakami slammed her fist. “It is!” she cried. A few more tears slipped out. “It is… Had I not done anything, he might still be here. I’m just a lousy excuse for a teacher.”

“And he still would have been struggling,” Ren reminded her. She grabbed Kawakami’s hand. “You gave him a chance when no one else would. Granted, it’s not ideal how things turned out. But you gave him hope when he probably felt hopeless. To me, that tells me you’re a good teacher.”

Kawakami was surprised. New tears started rolling down her face. “Heh. You know, I haven’t heard anyone say that to me in a while. It’s a nice feeling.” She frowned again. “However, I still don’t know what to do. You make an excellent point, but…” She sighed. “I guess I need time to think it over.”

“Well, it’s still summer,” Ren said.

“True,” Kawakami replied. “Still, I don’t think I would have even thought about any of this without you. I mean, I feel like I’ve been distant with my students since I took this job to try and atone for Takase’s death. However, you reaching out to me really helped me put things into perspective. I guess we all need someone to reach out to us from time to time.”

Ren chuckled. “I agree, 100%.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 5

Kawakami stood up. “Well, I have to get to my next appointment.” She curtsied. “~See you later Master!~”

“It’s almost scary how easily you slip into that,” Ren remarked.

“Well, when you’ve been working as long as I have, you get used to it,” Kawakami shot back.

“Hm hm,” Ren laughed. “Ever the professional.” Kawakami was taken aback, but said nothing, and left. Ren did the dishes, and then went to bed for the night.

Chapter 101: Big Questions

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ann and Ryuji arrived at Leblanc. “HELLO!” Ann shouted.

“Hey!” Ryuji followed up.

Ren smiled. “Hi. What brings you two here?”

“Well, Ryuji says the two of you know a really great gym,” Ann said. “So I was wondering if the two of you could take me.”

“You say that like we have a choice,” Ryuji moaned.

“What was that?” Ann threatened.

“N-nothing!” Ryuji backed down.

“I see…” Ren remarked. “Well, it is true we do know of a pretty stellar place. You want to go now?”

“Of course!” Ann answered. “It’s step one in becoming a better model!”

“Right…” Ren said. “Well, no sense in standing around. Let me just get my things and head out.” She went upstairs to grab her gear, and the three of them headed to the gym.

Once they were all ready, Ryuji asked “OK, what do you want to do first?”

“Well, I was thinking of doing all sorts of things,” Ann said. “You know, to test my limit.”

Ryuji was unsure. “Yeah, I don’t think that’s going to work like you think it will.”

“What?!” Ann said, incensed.

“I think it’s better to just start slow,” Ryuji said. “You can’t make any progress by stretching yourself thin right away.”

“But…” Ann lamented.

“He’s right, you know,” Ren agreed. “You can’t become a top model overnight. If you strain yourself here, it’s no different than appearing in the photos empty inside.”

Ann took in what Ren was saying. “You’re right. Thanks.” She turned to Ryuji. “So, what do you recommend?”

“Er, how should I know?” Ryuji shot back.

“Huh? You’re the exercise buff,” Ann retorted.

“Yeah, but there are different exercises for different things,” Ryuji explained. “My running exercises are going to be different than your modeling exercises.”

“Oh. That makes sense…” Ann said.

Ryuji grinned. “But you know, I did find something recently that might help.”

Ann was curious. “What is it?!”

“Er, well, uh…” Ryuji stammered.

“JUST SAY IT!” Ann demanded.

“Fine, fine,” Ryuji relented. “So, um, you know how it is. I…was looking through…some of my mom’s fashion magazines one day…you know…to see what’s up…”

“Uh-huh,” Ann said, not really believing it, but also not really caring.

“So, anyway,” Ryuji went on, “I found this really cute model. She had an interview where she broke down her regiment. Maybe we can emulate that.”

Ann raised her eyebrow. “‘Cute’...?”

“Well, um, yeah?” Ryuji answered.

“How cute was she?” Ann asked.

“Um…well…you know…” Ryuji said.

“What did she look like?” Ann asked, her tone growing sharper.

“Well, uh, let’s see…” Ryuji pondered. “Well, I mean, she’s older than us…she has long, brown hair, and she has these really cute doe eyes. She also seems really confident in herself!”

Ann grew bitter. “Was her name ‘Mika’ by chance?” Ren gestured to him to say no.

“Yeah!” Ryuji answered. Ren facepalmed. “Do you know her?”

“Heh. ‘Know her’?” Ann chuckled. She clenched her first. “HOW CAN YOU SAY SHE’S CUTE?! SHE’S LITERALLY THE DEVIL! AND I’M GOING TO BE 10,000 TIMES THE MODEL SHE’LL EVER BE! JUST YOU WATCH!” She  stormed off to one of the machines.

“Woah! Ann!” Ryuji called, but Ann didn’t listen.

She sat down and tried to exercise, but she couldn’t move. “Grrrr! Come on! Stupid machine! Grr!”

“Uh, Ann?” Ryuji interjected.

“WHAT?!” Ann snapped.

“...Your, uh, resistance is too high,” Ryuji informed her. Ann looked, and it was definitely too high for her. “Here, let me adjust it.” Ryuji began adjusting the weight. “Let’s see, while you’re a beginner, I know how strong you can be. Let’s start you off here.” He finished setting it up.

Ann began to exercise, and this time, the machine moved. “Huh. Thanks…”

“No problem!” Ryuji said. Ann continued working out. She was still grunting, but she was making progress. “Hey, uh, listen,” Ryuji asked. Ann stopped to look at him. “I’m, uh, sorry for calling her cute…”

Ann relaxed a little. “It’s fine. I’m sorry I snapped at you.”

“Hey, it’s cool,” Ryuji said. “I get it. When you have a goal like that, you want to do whatever it takes to achieve it. I mean, you see how riled up I get when talking about Phan-...um, you know…”

Ann smirked. “Yeah. I get that.” Ren smiled. Ryuji and Ren continued to help Ann exercise for a bit. After a while, Ann was sweating and breathing heavily. “...huff…huff…that felt good…”

“Great,” Ryuji said. “I’m glad it turned out alright.”

“So, how often do I have to do this?” Ann asked.

“Um, well, I’m not sure,” Ryuji said. “I guess the exact amount is up to you, but if you want to get better, you should consider making this a regular thing.”

“Huh, I see,” Ann said.

Ryuji got a text. “It’s my mom. She needs me to buy groceries for tonight. Is it cool if I leave?”

“Yeah, I think I’m done for today anyway,” An said.

“OK. Seeya!” Ryuji started to leave. “Oh, and make sure you get plenty of rest, OK? And don’t over-work yourself.”

“Ryuji…” Ann said.

“Right, you know that,” Ryuji said. “Well, gotta go!” He left.

Ren approached Ann. “So, you wanna go get something to eat?”

“Yeah, I’d like that,” Ann said.

They headed to a crepe stand. “Shouldn’t you not eat as many sweets?” Ren teased.

“I’m…just getting started…” Ann said. “Gotta wean off this slowly…”

“Right…” Ren said, not believing her. Still, she did like the crepes here, so she didn’t object completely. After they began eating, Ren asked “So, how long have you liked Ryuji?”

Ann briefly choked on her crepe before she managed to swallow it. “What? I mean, we’ve been friends since middle school…”

Ren rolled her eyes. “Yeah, but how long have you LIKED him?”

“What are you saying?” Ann protested. “He’s just a friend.”

Ren glared at her. “You told me you could tell when I’m lying. Well, I can tell when you’re lying.”

Ann pouted. “You denied it.”

Ren giggled. “True, but I knew you were right.”

“Hm, fine,” Ann said. “As you know, we became friends in middle school. Ryuji…well, he’s always been one blueberry short of a crepe, you know. But he’s incredibly earnest. The first time I talked to him, well, I wasn’t used to boys talking to me unless they wanted to hit on me. But Ryuji came up and just asked about the homework we had that day.

And from that day on, I found that Ryuji was someone I could have a conversation with. I’ve heard some things about him, and he’s not exactly subtle about his shortcomings. But it was nice.”

“You fell in love with him right away?” Ren asked.

Ann shook her head. “It wasn’t right away. We’d been friends for a while. But one day, he showed up to school with blonde hair.”

“Oh,” Ren said, a little surprised. “It’s kind of hard for me to imagine him without it.”

Ann giggled. “Wanna see?” She pulled out her phone and started showing pictures of black-haired Ryuji.

“Wow,” Ren said. “Is it weird that I can still tell it’s Ryuji?”

Ann shook her head. “That’s just the kind of guy he is. But, getting back to the story. Pretty much everyone was in an uproar about this, but nothing could really be done, since, you know, it’s Ryuji.” Renn chuckled. “After school, I pulled him aside and asked why he did it. You know what he said? ‘So you’d stand out less.’

My blonde hair was one of the things people judged me on. I wouldn’t admit it, but I had thought about dying it to blend in more. But when Ryuji told me that, I felt…happy. In his own foolhardy way, he did something nice. Just for me.”

“That’s really sweet,” Ren said. “So, what happened next?”

Ann got embarrassed. “I…was really flustered. I just called him a moron, and then left in a huff.” Ren giggled. “It’s not funny! I was so overwhelmed by emotion that I didn’t know what to do!”

“Sorry,” Ren said “But you have to admit, it’s a little funny.”

“Maybe…” Ann said. She sighed. “Ever since, I dunno, I guess I just started liking him more and more. I’ve thought about what it would be like if it were just the two of us forever.” She smiled. “There’s bound to be some issues, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Ren smiled back. “That sounds lovely.”

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 8

“But maybe you should tell Ryuji that,” Ren said. “You know, before someone like Mika sweeps him off his feet.”

Ann got flustered. “She..She wouldn’t! No, she would. Just to spite me.” She sighed. “Where am I going to find the confidence though?”

“Well, you’re looking for confidence in becoming a better model,” Ren reminded her. “I’d imagine it’d be in the same place.”

Ann giggled. “You’re right.” The two finished their crepes. “Thanks for today.”

“No problem,” Ren said. The two went off their separate ways.

A little while after Ren got back, Akechi arrived. “Oh, hi,” Ren said.

“My apologies,” Akechi said. “I’ve been busy all day, so I didn’t have time to message you beforehand.”

“It’s alright,” Ren said. “You want something to eat.”

“Please,” Akechi said. “I haven’t had much time to eat.” Ren nodded and started preparing some food for the two of them. Once she had finished, she set the plates down. “Thank you.”

Ren smiled and sat down next to Akechi. The two began eating. “So, why are you so busy?” Ren asked. Akechi looked at her. “I mean, we’re currently on summer break. I figured that would free up some time.”

“Well, it does…” Akechi said. “However, crime doesn’t take a vacation. I’m still looking into the series of mental shutdowns. While finding the victims/perpetrators of each incident is easy, finding out why is proving ever more challenging. Not to mention the face off between Medjed, The Phantom Thieves, and this supposed Original Medjed. Between all of that, TV appearances, and my personal life sometimes, things can be really hectic.”

“I see…” Ren said. “So, were you asked similar questions about Medjed that you were The Phantom Thieves?” Akechi gave her a confused look. “I mean, from what I’ve heard, Medjed started out similarly to The Phantom Thieves.”

“I guess that’s a fair question,” Akechi said. “To be honest, not really. While Medjed was certainly doing things some would call heroic in its early days, their methodology was clear. They were using their hacking prowess to get their desired results.

I’m not really in the business of investigating cyber crime; At least, not yet anyway. However, The Phantom Thieves have an unknown element. While they appear to change hearts, the methodology is yet unknown. Furthermore, their three biggest targets, Suguru Kamoshida, Ichiryusai Madarame, and Junya Kaneshiro, are all people that have escaped justice for a while. Not even Medjed could have exposed them. Their penchant for finding these people and bringing them to justice is interesting in itself.”

“How do you think they find such people?” Ren asked.

“Well, I have a few theories,” Akechi said. “It’s just a matter of working through them. Of course, that Phan-site is certainly helpful, but dredging through all of that information requires a dedicated team, and any private exchanges between members would require a warrant. Besides, Kamoshida was targeted before the Phan-site even existed.”

‘True,” Ren replied. They ate a little ore. “I’m sorry. You’re supposed to be on a break, and yet, here we are discussing your work.”

“It’s fine,” Akechi responded. “I like talking these things out with you. Usually, I just get officers looking down on me, or my fellow students being afraid to disagree with me. So, having an honest conversation is something I look forward to.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks.” After a brief pause, she then asked “To change the subject, what do you do when you’re not doing detective work, or going to school?” Akechi was a tad surprised. “You did mention that your personal life can sometimes get in the way.”

“That I did,” Akechi said. “However, I’m not 100% sure how much I should tell you.”

“You don’t trust me?” Ren inquired.

“No, I do,” Akechi assured her. “But, well, how should I put this? Most of the time when I have to myself, I tend to do things that relax me. However, there is one aspect of my personal life that if revealed would cause numerous problems. And not just for me either. So, I hope you forgive me for holding my cards to my chest here.”

“Psh, you kidding?” Ren said. “Who do you think you’re talking to?”

“I suppose that’s true,” Akechi said. “Your record, if it became public, would also cause you issues.” He looked solemnly. “Say. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to ask The Phantom Thieves to change someone’s heart, do you think they would take the request? Or, do you believe that because of what I said, they would ignore me?”

Ren thought about that for a moment. “Well, I generally don’t think they necessarily care about where it comes from. If they believe that they can help someone, they might be willing to help.”

“Hm hm,” Akechi chuckled. “Fair enough. I never expected that answer, but if The Phantom Thieves believe in their justice, then I guess it really shouldn’t matter where their information comes from, so long as the end result is the same.”

Ren smirked. “So, is there a person who you wish their heart would change?”

“So quick witted,”Akechi noted. “Well, I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want anyone’s heart to change. I am only human after all. However, there is someone in particular I’ve been thinking about recently. An old friend. A series of unfortunate events have caused them to lose grasp on reality. They won’t listen to reason. As a result, they might incidentally cause harm to a lot of people who don’t deserve it.

Of course, I’m not actually going to ask The Phantom Thieves for help. I’m not telling you either. You’d probably post about it online, asking them for me. I have to stay true to my justice.” Ren chuckled. “However, the thought crossed my mind. If you somehow knew The Phantom Thieves, and could somehow arrange a meeting with them where we can discuss our differences and maybe come to an agreement, maybe I would tell them then.”

Ren rolled her eyes. “If I were able to do such things, how would I know this wouldn’t be a trap to just catch them outright?”

“Do you not trust me?” Akechi shot back. Ren looked frustrated. “Ha ha. Sorry. You’re not actually wrong on that front. Although frankly, this is all hypothetical to begin with. I don’t imagine you actually know who The Phantom Thieves are, so asking you to do anything would be an exercise in futility.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“Having said that,” Akechi continued, “I am reevaluating my own sense of justice. I mean, I just told you about my own personal crisis of faith. I thought I would never be swayed by these Thieves. And yet, for a brief moment, I felt things were so dire that they were my only hope.”

“Well, perhaps that’s not a bad thing,” Ren posited. “People change all the time. I mean, you could spend your youth hating coffee, and then wake up one day and find you can’t get enough of it. In an ever changing world, being able to change with it is valuable. I’m not saying you should abandon yourself completely, but rather make adjustments when needed. I know I’ve changed a lot since I came to Tokyo, and I think it’s for the better.”

“Hm. Insightful as always,” Akechi said. “But out of curiosity, how does the Phantom Thieves method of changing people’s hearts by force accomplish this?”

“Well, I mean,” Ren said, a little flustered. “It might not be entirely ideal, but for some people, it might be the only way to help. Plus, I believe that The Phantom Thieves inspire others to make changes as well.”

“Well, I’ve definitely seen instances of that,” Akechi said. “A lot of people online have certainly said that The Phantom Thieves has inspired them to do all sorts of things. However, I’m still not sure how good that is. The Phantom Thieves might just be a flash in the pan, so putting all of your faith in them might not serve you well. Although, I might just be more hesitant to trust people right away. I know the sting of betrayal all too well.”

“Same,” Ren said. “But betrayal is betrayal no matter when it happens.”

“True,” Akechi said. “However, if they wish to enjoy the support they currently get, The Phantom Thieves should probably not try to betray the people that adore them. Who knows? Perhaps there may even be a day where I accept The Phantom Thieves.”

“I’m sure they’d like that,” Ren responded. “However, your comment got me thinking of something.”

“What’s that?” Akechi asked.

“Well,” Ren began, “what if they are a flash in the pan, but not by their own accord?”

“What do you mean?” Akechi asked.

“Well, what if,” Ren went on, “ something happens, and The Phantom Thieves aren’t needed any more? Not because they want to stop, but because other factors force them to.”

“I see what you’re saying,” Akech responded. “Truth be told, I haven’t thought of that. However, it is an interesting idea. What made you think of it?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Ren stammered. “I’ve been working with this politician, and he believes that while The Phantom Thieves are just, he thinks that we can’t rely on them forever, and that politicians like him need to step up to the plate to find solutions to the source of the problems The Phantom Thieves solve.”

“A politician?” Akechi asked. Ren nodded. Akechi grew serious. “What are they like?”

“Uh, well, he’s kind, humble, but willing to listen,” Ren said, a little fearful of Akechi at this point.

“Go on,” Akechi insisted.

“Uh, well,” Ren continued. “He was previously a member of the Diet, but years ago, a series of scandals forced him out. He's trying to re-earn the people’s trust.”

Akechi smiled. “I see.” Ren sighed, relieved that the scary Akechi she saw seemed to have disappeared. Akechi checked his phone. “Oh my, look at the time. We’ve been talking for quite some time, haven’t we.” Ren snickered. “I guess time just flies by when we’re together. Maybe once things have calmed down, we might have the freedom to make this an all-day affair.”

Ren smiled. “I’d like that.”

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 4

“Well, I should get going,” Akechi said. He stood up. “Thanks for the meal. He left the restaurant. Ren got up, did the dishes, and went to bed

Notes:

I didn't expect this chapter to be as long as it is, but it has a lot to it. Also, that story about why Ryuji dyed his hair wasn't my idea. I saw a comic that did that. However, I quite liked it. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 102: Feeling Powerless

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ren got a message from Dr. Takemi.

Takemi: How’s my favorite guinea pig?

Takemi: Can you stop over?

Takemi: I’m so close to perfecting the medicine. I feel like a few more tests should do it.

Ren: Sure. I’m on my way.

Takemi: Thanks.

Ren left Leblanc, and made her way to the clinic.

When she arrived, Takmi greeted her. “Hey there.”

“How are you feeling?” Ren asked.

“Honestly, I’m feeling good,” Takemi said. “I’ve been thinking about what you said last time. Perhaps it’s alright things turned out like this. I mean, I have my own clinic for starts. I’m not bound by the bureaucratic mess I once was. Besides, had I not met you, I’d probably still be stuck trying to figure out how to develop the medicine.”

Takemi chuckled. “All of this made me remember why I got into medicine in the first place. When I was young, I was very sickly. I spent a lot of time in the hospital. So seeing all of those doctors and nurses helping me was amazing. They were like these real life heroes. I went into medicine to try and pay it forward. To help people. And despite some of the nervousness, I feel like I’m in a position to do just that.”

“Well, I’m glad,” Ren said.

“Hm, well then,” Takemi said, “let’s get today’s test started.” She handed Ren another sample. Ren took the sample and drank it. She passed out again, but gently this time. Once she awoke, Takemi seemed pleased. “Hm. This is the best result we seem to have gotten so far. How are you feeling?”

“...A little dizzy,” Ren answered. “But fine for the most part.”

“Excellent,” Takami cheered. “We’re so close now.”

An intimidating man walked into Takemi’s office. “You!” he seethed.

Takemi glared at him. “I have a bell you know. If you wanted my attention you could have just rung it.”

“Don’t change the topic,” he demanded. “You stole one of my patients!”

“Did I?” Takemi asked mercurially. “If I recall, they left you for me.”

“Semantics,” the man waved off. “You’re still going to pay.” Takemi grew sour again. “I know about your little testing too. You’re going to shut this place down, or I’ll go to the cops.”

“And what will you say?” Takemi asked. “You have no proof of anything illegal. Partially because nothing illegal is happening here.”

“Pah! All I need to tell them is that The Plague is involved, and they’ll be all over you,” the man said. He turned to Ren. “Heh. Another patient of yours.” He took out a card and offered it to her. “Come over to my facility. You’ll get much better treatment.”

Ren took it. “Pass.”

“WHAT?!” the man said. “This woman is dangerous.”

“I’ve been in her care for a while now,” Ren informed him. “She seems pretty safe to me.”

“Sure, you say that now,” the man said. “But she committed a severe medical error, you know.”

“I was told you did that,” Ren shot back.

“So, she’s lying too,” the man said. “Well, I gave you the chance. You can’t complain when you wind up dead too.”

Takemi was stunned. “...’too’?”

“Heh,” the man laughed. “Poor Miwa. She was always smiling until the end.”

“No!” Takemi shouted defiantly. “She had to have had more time!”

“She might have,” the man said. “Had it not been for your error.” Takemi growled at him. “If you don’t believe me, you can look into it yourself. But the results will always be the same. I suggest you give up on your clinic and your whole medical career.”

He smirked. “But I’ll let you get your house in order.” He set a stack of business cards on Takemi’s desk. “You can refer all your patients to me. Oh, and I can take all of your data too.” He turned around. “Make sure the next time I see you, you’re not such a thorn in my side.” He left.

Takemi glared at where he was, and then smacked the pile of business cards, which then flew everywhere. She grew upset. “No…Miwa-chan… Hmph. Bastard knows how to push my buttons. Just when everything was starting to go well too.”

“Are you alright?” Ren asked.

Takemi looked at Ren. “Huh? Oh, sorry. I forgot you were here.” She frowned. “Hey. Just stay away from here for a while. I’ll look into whether or not he was telling the truth about Miwa-chan. But in the meantime, he might come back and intimidate me. You shouldn’t get caught in the crossfire.”

“But what about you?” Ren asked.

“I’ll…I’ll be fine…” Takemi said with no real conviction. “It’s OK, right? He gave me time. Maybe I can think of something…”

Ren looked on at Takemi. She knew there was nothing she could do to help…at least, not here anyway. She bowed and said “Thank you. For everything.”

Takemi smiled. “Yeah. Good luck with everything.”

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 7

Takemi went back to frowning. Ren left.

On her way back, she took out the business card she had been given. “‘Chief Shoichi Oyamada’. Hm.” She smirked. “Let’s see how you like it when The Phantom Thieves give you a taste of your own medicine.” She headed home to place the business card in a safe place for now.

She then got a phone call. When she answered, she heard Lavenza say “Hello. Would you mind taking me out again?”

Ren smiled. “Not at all. I needed a break today too.”

“Very well then,” Lavenza said. “Meet me by the Velvet Room.” Lavenza hung up. Ren headed out.

Ren arrived at the Velvet Room. She met up with Lavenza, who was standing outside. “Hi,” Ren said.

“Hello,” Lavenza replied.

“So, where would you like to go?” Ren asked.

“Well,” Lavenza began answering, “I’ve heard tell of a place where one can improve one’s strength through training. Tell me, what kind of a place is this?”

Ren thought about Lavenza’s answer. “Oh… You mean the Gym, don’t you?”

“Is that really what it’s called?” Lavenza asked. “Strange how it shares a name with a common English boy’s name.”

“From my knowledge, those are spelled differently,” Ren said.

“Huh,” Lavena replied. “The naming system you humans use is interesting to say the least.”

“True…” Ren said. “But more importantly, I need to get some clothes if I’m going to the gym. You may want to do the same.”

“I will think about it,” Lavenza said. “I am here more to observe. However, if the decorum requires it, I will bring a change of clothes as well.”

“I guess that’s the best I can hope for,” Ren admitted. “I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“Take your time,” Lavenza instructed. Ren left to get her gym clothes, and then came back to pick up Lavenza. The two then headed to the gym.

Once Ren got changed, she emerged from the changing room. “So, do you want to change, or are you OK as you are?”

Lavenza pondered the question. “I think I will change.”

“OK then,” Ren said. “Do you want me to accompany you?”

“I think I can handle myself,” Lavenza said. “But thank you.” Lavenza went in to get changed. A few minutes later, she emerged wearing her headband, a light blue t-shirt, dark blue shorts, her usual white socks, and black tennis shoes. “How do I look?”

Ren smiled. “You look great.”

Lavenza smiled. “By the way, may I ask about what you’re wearing. Specifically, the thing around your chest.”

“Oh, that?” Ren said. “It’s called a sports bra.”

“Oh… Do I need one?” Lavenza asked.

“I don’t think so,” Ren answered. “You’re still young.”

“So, if I grow, I will need one?” Lavenza inquired further.

“Probably,” Ren answered.

“Very well then,” Lavenza said. “Anyway, let’s begin.” Ren led Lavenza to the treadmill. “What is this?”

“This is a treadmill,” Ren informed her. “You run on it to build stamina.”

Lavenza looked at the treadmill. “Would you care to demonstrate?”

“Of course,” Ren said. She got on the treadmill and started running.

Lavenza gasped. “So, you’re running forever, and yet you remain where you are. How Sisyphean.”

“Well.” Ren said between breaths, “Not quite. It’s meant. To build. Resistance.”

“Hmmmm,” Lavenza pondered. “So, why isn’t it turned up all the way?”

“Well…” Ren began to answer.

“I’ll fix it!” Lavenza said, determined. She managed to get to the buttons to turn the speed up. Ren panicked and tried to keep up, but eventually she had to push the emergency stop button before she fell over.

After Ren was done catching her breath, she said “let’s try something else.” Lavenza nodded. They headed over to the weight lifting area.

“What’s this?”” Lavenza asked.

“These are weights,” Ren answered. “You lift these in order to strengthen yourself.”

“Seems simple enough,” Lavenza said. “Care to demonstrate?”

“Sure,” Ren said. She was a bit concerned, but she didn’t want to disappoint. She began lifting.

“So it is as simple as it looks,” Lavenza noted.

“Yep,” Ren replied.

“Hmmm. But is that all you can lift?” Lavenza wondered. Ren was in the process of lowering the bar, when Lavenza climbed on the bench and then lifted herself onto the bar, holding it while positioning herself upside down. “There. Now it should be adequately weighted.”

Ren was hesitant to continue. “Um, I think it would be easier if you weren’t there.”

“You’re fighting for the fate of the world!” Lavenza reminded her. “This isn’t meant to be easy.”

“Um, are you sure you can hold on?” Ren asked. “I don’t want you to fall.”

“I’ll be fine,” Lavenza told her. Ren resigned herself and began lifting with Lavenza now on the bar. She did four additional reps before putting the bar back on the holster. She sat up and then started drinking some water. Lavenza let herself down. “That’s it?”

Ren took a break from drinking water to tell Lavenza “I have a feeling there’s more you want to do. I need to conserve my energy.” She went back to chugging her bottle.

“Oh…” Lavenza said. “Well, it’s true I want to do more…”

Ren finished her water. “Well then, let’s keep going,” she said. “But first, let me refill my bottle.” She got more water, and then led Lavenza around some more.

Lavenza spotted the training dummy. “What is this thing?” she asked. “It looks like it’s a shadow that has yet to manifest its true power.”

Ren giggled a bit. “That is a training dummy,” she informed her. “You use it to practice fighting.”

Lavenza glared at it. “I feel like I could defeat that thing in a fight easily though.”

“You’re not supposed to ‘defeat’ it,” Ren said, embarrassed.

“Huh?” Lavenza said.

“Like I said, it’s for practice,” Ren reiterated. “You’re meant to use it to perfect your form, rather than take it down.”

“Practice…your form?” Lavenza wondered.

Ren looked at Lavenza. “Is something on your mind?”

Lavenza frowned. “Maybe a little.”

“Wanna talk about it?” Ren asked. Lavenza nodded. Ren led her to a set of chairs where they could sit and relax. Ren took another drink of water. “Ah. So, can you tell me what’s on your mind?”

Lavenza nodded again. “I’ve just been thinking is all… If you recall, your current enemy defeated the being you were supposed to fight. If you also recall, that being’s plan was to originally rip me in two.”

“Right,” Ren said, following along.

“Well…” Lavenza kept going. She sighed. “I’m just worried. If someone could defeat someone who could defeat me so easily, that person must be dangerous. If you are fighting them, I worry for your safety.”

“I see,” Ren said, realizing why Lavenza was doing what she was doing. “I get where you're coming from, but if I am to get strong enough to fight Eris, I can’t do it in one go.”

“Huh?” Lavenza said, surprised. “But why not?”

Ren smiled. “Because that’s not how humans work. Humans can’t magically get strong overnight. Otherwise, every human would be strong.”

“So, why have this building in the first place?” Lavenza inquired.

“Well, it’s because we can get stronger incrementally,” Ren informed her. “It takes time and energy, but we can get stronger. It’s just a slow process. Besides, if we over exert ourselves, we won’t get stronger. That only wears us out.”

“Hmmm,” Lavenza responded, thinking about what Ren said. “But does that mean the person who worked out the most will win every fight they get in?”

“Not necessarily,” Ren answered. “Raw power can win a lot of fights, but you need more than just that to win. You need to be able to use your smarts too. A mighty punch doesn’t do anything to the person who dodges.”

“Hm. So, this place provides things to train your mind to, huh,” Lavenza reflected.

Ren nodded. “While it’s not as focused on mind training as say a school is, you need to know your limits and work with them in order to push them.”

“I see,” Lavenza responded. “I’m sorry…”

“Hey, it’s no big deal,” Ren responded. “You were just trying to help.”

“But…” Lavenza said.

Ren smiled. “Come on. Why don’t you try something now? I’ll be there to help.”

Lavena nodded. “Alright then.” They got up, and went back to the training dummy.” Lavenza faced down the dummy. “So this is to practice my form.” She grew determined. “Hi-YA!” She punched the dummy straight in the chest. “Like that?”

“Well, sort of,” Ren said, “But most people would think to block that. Try thinking more creatively.”

“I see… Very well then,” Lavenza said. Lavenza turned back to the dummy and began to focus more. She stared the dummy down once again, and then let out a series of punches and kicks that were more organized and less direct. Once she finished, she turned to Ren and asked “How did I do?”

Ren smiled. “Great,” she answered.

“Yay,” she cheered. “And I can get stronger if I come back?”

Ren nodded. “That’s right. However, there are other ways to get stronger too.”

“Oh… Right…” Lavenza said, embarrassed. “I…almost forgot.”

Ren snicked. “It happens to the best of us. So, are you ready to go?”

Lavenza nodded. “Yes.” The two of them changed out and left the gym. “Thank you for hearing me out. And for taking me here.”

“No problem,” Ren said. “Thank you for guiding me in the Velvet Room.”

Lavenza giggled. “Truly, you are an amazing Trickster.”

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 3

Ren guided Lavenza back to the Velvet Room. After that, she went home for the night.

Notes:

I've been doing a NG+ run of P5R, and it is helping me for future events, since as I've stated the next few arcs are story-heavy. Although figuring out how to balance it with the changes I'm making is going to be something. I have confidence that I can do it, but it will take some doing.

I was divided on whether or not to do a 7.5 rank for the confidants that have a coinciding Mementos target, and before I started writing, I decided to do the 7.5 rank, but as I was writing, it just made more sense not to. I'm definitely adding things to confidants, or even just mixing things around, so this change isn't going to be THAT much bigger. I also thought that I could probably just leave the Mementos missions as a day unto itself, even after I get to Kawakami 10. That would probably balance things out. I won't have a 7.5, but I won't have an extra night time slot for Mementos days.

I'm thinking over something. My next big story beat is happening soon, so I think I'll take another break of sorts before getting into it. I will at least do one more chapter, but I'm not sure if I should do two, or leave it at one. Really, it only affects when things happen. Those things will happen either way, so it's not THAT big of a deal.

Anyway, enjoy.

Chapter 103: Family Matters

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next morning to the sound of her phone ringing. She put on her glasses and answered. “Hello?” she said, half asleep.

“Hi sweetie!” said the voice on the other end.

Ren woke up fully, and sat up. “Oh. Hi mom.”

“Did I wake you?” Ren’s mom asked. “I’m sorry. It’s your summer vacation after all. You deserve to sleep in.”

Ren smiled. “It’s alright.”

“Well, I just called to say we should be arriving tomorrow,” Ren’s mom informed her. “Sasa’s already here with us, so she’ll be coming with us. She tells me you two managed to patch things up.”

“Yeah. We did,” Ren informed her.

“Good,” her mother said. There was a brief pause. “Your father and I miss you too, you know.”

Ren sighed silently. “Yeah.”

“I’m serious,” her mom assured her. “I know we haven’t talked in a while, but your father and I felt like after everything that happened, you just needed time to yourself.”

Ren laid back down on the bed, but over the covers. “I…probably did… I dunno…”

“Your father didn’t want me calling you now, but, well, you know I couldn’t resist. I’m too excited. I’m getting to see my baby soon!”

Ren smiled, embarrassed. “Could you…maybe not call me that when you're here?”

“I’ll try, but I can’t make any promises,” Ren’s mom answered.

“I guess that’s the best I could ask for,” Ren replied.

“Well, we need to finish getting ready and head out,” Ren’s mom said. “See you tomorrow!”

“Bye mom,” Ren said.

“Bye sweetie,” Ren's mom responded.

Ren hung up, and started getting ready. After she finished changing into her clothes, Morgana woke up with a yawn. “Morning,” he said. He took note of Ren’s concern. “You OK?”

Ren slightly smiled. “My…mom just called me, saying that my family’s coming down tomorrow.”

“Oh,” Morgana said, understanding the seriousness. “Are you going to be OK?”

“I think so,” Ren said. “I’m just nervous. I need something to take my mind off things for a bit. Just…relax before they get here.”

“I see,” Morgana said. “Well, you know I’m here if you need me.”

Ren smiled genuinely. “Thanks Morgana.” She walked downstairs to get breakfast.

When she arrived, she was surprised to see Yusuke sitting at the counter. “Good morning,” he greeted.

“Uh, good morning,” Ren said. “Um, what are you doing here?”

“Well, currently, I am negotiating with boss to try and get a free breakfast,” Yusuke answered.

Sojiro sighed. “I treated you a lot earlier. I don’t think I have the budget.”

Ren sat next to Yusuke. “I’ll cover his order today.”

“Hm. Thank you. How gracious,” Yusuke said.

Sojiro looked at Ren. “Just try not to make it a habit. I know how people can get when you keep giving them money.”

“You don’t trust me?” Yusuke asked.

“I don’t trust money,” Sojiro said. “It does strange things to people.”

Yusuke frowned. “We saw that earlier with Kaneshiro.”

Sojiro sighed. “Well, if you put it like that, then I think you’ll be alright. Just…try to be more conscientious.”

“Very well,” Yusuke said. Sojiro made breakfast for the two of them. “Thank you, boss.”

“Thank Sojiro,” Ren said. The two began to eat. After a bite, Ren turned to Yusuke and asked “So, is a free breakfast all you wanted?”

“Huh?” Yusuke said, food still in his mouth. He swallowed. “No. That was just a benefit. I came over to ask for your help once again. I believe I have a truly marvelous idea.”

Ren giggled. “I can’t wait.”

Yusuke was a little shocked. “Well, let’s wait until we finish eating. I don’t want to waste a good meal.”

“True,” Ren said. They went back to eating. Once they finished, Ren remarked “That was delicious.”

“Agreed,” Yusuke replied. “Well, then, shall we get going?” Ren nodded. They stood up. “Thank you again, boss.” They left Leblanc.

Yusuke led the two of them to the church in Kanda. Ren was a tad confused. “Um, why are we here?”

“Hm hm,” Yusuke chuckled. “I’m glad you asked. I did some reflecting, and I think I found my next subject.”

“And that would be?” Ren asked.

“Suffering,” Yusuke answered.

“I see…” Ren said, still not entirely sure what they were doing here.

“When Jesus was crucified, he was said to have bared the sins of the entire world,” Yusuke explained. “That agony is what I wish to capture in my next painting.”

“Oh, OK,” Ren said, understanding it now. “But, how are you going to do that?”

“Well, that’s sort of why I asked you here,” Yusuke admitted. “I was wondering, would you possibly be my model for Jesus?”

Ren was confused again. “But I don’t look a thing like Jesus.”

“Ah, but you talk like a gentleman,” Yusuke retorted. “Just like how I imagined Jesus would.”

Ren was differently confused. “...I’m a lady.”

“Ah, right, of course,” Yusuke said. “What I mean is that to me, you feel like a guiding force, similar to Jesus.”

Ren was slightly embarrassed. “I have to say, that is the first time someone has compared me to Jesus.”

“So, are you going to help me?” Yusuke asked.

Ren thought about it for a second. She nodded. “Sure.”

“Ah. Thank you,” Yusuke said. Ren stood before the altar and posed as if she were on the cross. Yusuke took in the atmosphere and began sketching. “Hmmm. Forgive me…”

“Well, I AM Jesus at the moment,” Ren snarked.

“Hm,” Yusuke chuckled. “Clever. Anyways, I was wondering if you could be more…dynamic.”

“Really?” Ren asked.

“Remember, Jesus took upon himself the sins of the entire world,” Yusuke said. “We’ve seen the sins of a fraction of one percent of everyone in the world firsthand, and at least from my perspective that has been overwhelming on its own.”

“Well, when you put it like that…” Ren agreed. “So, like this?” Ren posed more aggressively.

“Hmmm,” Yusuke pondered. “Perhaps like this!” Yusuke posed as well.

“I see,” Ren said. She posed more dramatically as well. “Like this?”

Yusuke sketched some more. He paused and then said “Maybe like THIS!” and posed even more dramatically.

“Um, what are you two doing?” the priest asked, approaching him.

“Ah!” Yusuke said, getting caught off-guard. Ren snapped out of her pose, embarrassed. “This is an art study.” The priest was a bit confused. “I go to Kosei Academy.”

“Oh, I see,” the priest said. “You know, I know someone else who goes there too.”

Yusuke nodded. “I’m in their fine arts program, and I have come here to sketch the suffering of Jesus on the cross in an attempt to understand agony.”

“Suffering, huh?’ the priest said. “Well, it’s true that Jesus did take on the sins of the world, he did so out of compassion.”

“Huh?” Yusuke said, confused. “So, he suffered as an act of kindness?”

The priest nodded. “That’s right. It might sound a little lofty, but Jesus was the Earthly embodiment of God. He was capable of all sorts of things humans could never do. Being able to take on the sins of the entire world is another one of those, and by all accounts, his greatest miracle.”

“I…I see…” Yusuke said, dejected.

“Um, father,” Ren interjected. “Do you think we can stay here a little longer to reflect on that?”

“Of course child,” the priest said. “You can even continue your art venture. Just try not to be too disruptive.””

Ren nodded. “Thank you.” The priest went off to take care of some business.

Ren and Yusuke sat down in one of the pews. “How could this be?” Yusuke wondered. “Why do I keep only seeing one side of things?”

“Well, you’re only human,” Ren said.

Yusuke shook his head. “I feel lost. I have no idea what I’m doing.”

Ren got a little serious.”...Me too…”

Yusuke was surprised by this admission. “You too?” he wandered.

Ren nodded. “Yeah.”

“...Huh,” Yusuke reflected. “It feels like I should have known that, but it does feel weird to hear.” He put his head in his hands. “I must be a bad friend.”

Ren patted Yusuke back. “You’re fine just the way you are.”

Yusuke looked up at her. He was a little surprised.”Hm. Thank you. But, if you don't mind me asking, why do you feel lost?”

Ren frowned slightly. “Well, my family’s coming to visit tomorrow. I’m…I’m nervous. I feel like I’ve changed so much since I came to Tokyo, but I’m worried all of that will become undone when I meet them face to face.”

“Hm,” Yusuke reacted. He frowned too. “I’m sorry. I can’t relate.” Ren seemed curious. “My father died before I was born, and my mother died when I was three. If I could see them, I’d be ecstatic to say the least. I mean, there’s also Madarame, but I eventually learned to stand up to him. So, I’m afraid I’m not sure what I would do if I were in your shoes.”

Ren was amazed. She smiled, and giggled slightly. “That actually helped a little.”

“Really?” Yusuke said.

Ren nodded. “While our circumstances around our parents are dissimilar, you made me realize that this is something worth fighting for. I want to have a better relationship with my parents, but I also want to be myself.”

“And if the two were to be at odds?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, you stood up to Madarame,” Ren answered.

“I see,” Yusuke replied. He went into thought. “I still feel a little lost, but I feel less lost after this conversation. I still need to think about how I wish to pursue things, but this has proven to be incredibly helpful.” He looked at Ren and smiled. “Thank you.”

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 5

Yusuke stood up. “Well, I should get going,” he said. “I’m going to look through these sketches and see if there’s something worth salvaging.”

“Well, Jesus saw something worth salvaging in all of us, so maybe that will help,” Ren reminded him.

“Ah,” Yusuke said. He smirked. “Thank you again.” He bowed and left. Ren decided to leave as well.

Later that evening, she arrived at Untouchable. However, she arrived as Iwai was talking with an imposing man. “So, have you thought about our deal?”

“Yeah,” Iwai asked.

“And?” the man asked.

“I’m still thinking,” Iwai said.

“Well, time is ticking Iwai,” the man said. “Unless you want your son to know where his father really comes from.”

Iwai grew concerned. “Very well. Although these things take time.”

“Well, make it a priority,” the man said. He turned to leave and saw Ren. “Who’s this?”

Iwai noticed her as well and was surprised. “A customer.”

“Really?” the man asked.

“Business is business,” Iwai said. “If someone wants to buy, and they got the cash, sell.”

“Heh, you always had a good sense about you, Iwai,” the man said. “Well, I’ll be seeing you around.” He passed by Ren and left.

Iwai groaned. “You have impeccable timing, kid,” he said, sarcastically.

“Who was that?” Ren asked.

“That was Tsuda,” Iwai said. “My brother from my Yakuza days. He and I met earlier, and he was here tonight to up the pressure.”

“What did he want?” Ren asked, walking in more.

Iwai looked at her. “He wants a large amount of my supplies, and he’s being forceful about it too. He’s even threatening to tell Kaoru about his past if I don’t.”

“I see…” Ren said, concerned. “So, are you going to comply?”

“Well, I at least have to act like it,” Iwai said. “I’m still looking into the information you gave me. Although I’m having a bit of a hard time trying not to alert Tsuda. And now that he’s seen you, that strategy has gone out the window.”

“Sorry,” Ren apologized.

“Hm, it’s fine,” Iwai replied. He looked blankly at the ceiling. “You might still be too young, but do you ever feel afraid that someone you used to be close to one day becomes unrecognizable. I never felt like that until taking in Kaoru and leaving the Yakuza. But something about Tsuda seems off to me.”

Ren was a little embarrassed. “Well, truth be told, I might be that person soon.”

“Huh?” Iwai said.

Ren smiled nervously. “My family’s coming to visit tomorrow. I’m a bit nervous. I feel like I’ve changed so much since I came to Tokyo, but…I don’t know what that will mean for us…”

Iwai looked at her intently and sighed. “I don’t think you have anything to worry about.” Ren looked at him, surprised. “I mean, you’ve changed for the better. I’m worrying that Tsuda changed for the worse.”

“Well…” Ren said thinking about what Iwai just said.

“I mean it,” Iwai continued. “Look, you’re a good kid, and I think this city is bringing out the best in you. I don’t think you need to worry too much. But if your family ends up not liking who you’ve become, well, you know where to find me.”

Ren grew a little concerned. “Um, I know you're ex-yakuza, but…”

Iwai chuckled. “Relax, I’m not going to kill them. I’ve never killed anyone to be perfectly honest. I do know how to be intimidating though.” Ren sighed, relieved. “But you know, you’ve inspired me.”

“Oh?” Ren said, curious. “Do tell.”

“Hm,” Iwai smirked. “You seem pretty anxious to make things work with your family. However, I haven’t been giving it my all when it comes to mine.” He stood up with vigor. “I guess I have to go all out investigating Tsuda. Both to protect my son, and see if I can’t rescue my brother from what he has become.” Ren giggled. “Huh? Was that too corny soundin’?”

“No, I like it,” Ren said. “It’s perfectly you.”

Iwai was a little perplexed by that, but he took it in stride. “Heh.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 5

“Well, as long as you’re here, I’ve got some stuff I want you to take care of,” Iwai said.

“Of course,” Ren said. She helped Iwai out with some stuff around the shop and then headed back to Leblanc.

Once she arrived, Sojiro sighed and said “Thank goodness. Now I can go check in on Futaba.”

Just as Sojiro was about to leave, Ren interrupted and said “Um, Sojiro?” Sojiro paused. “Um, my parents are visiting tomorrow…”

Sojiro smiled and said “Say no more.” He nodded, and left.

Ren sighed, relieved. She made herself dinner and then sat down to eat. While she was eating, she got out her phone.

Ren: Um, hey Sumire…

Ren: I know this is short notice, but my parents and sister are coming to visit tomorrow.

Ren: I…always feel better when you’re around.

Ren: So, if you can manage it, do you think you could accompany me while my family is in town?

Sumire: He he. Of course.

Ren: Thanks.

Sumire: You know, you're really cute when you’re nervous.

Sumire: Of course, you’re cute all the time, but still…

Ren blushed.

Ren: Thanks…

Sumire: He he. Tomorrow you said?

Sumire: See you then.

Ren: See you.

Ren put her phone away and finished eating. After she did her dishes, she went upstairs and went to bed.

Notes:

Well, if finally happened. Assuming I did my math right, I believe this is the first confidant chapter where a pair has been repeated. It was bound to happen sometime, but here it is now.

Anyways, I mentioned earlier that something big is happening, but before I get into it I'm taking a break. Well the next chapter is with Ren's parents visiting, and then after that is a bit of a surprise. But like I said, I'm going to take a brief break before continuing.

I am thinking about all sorts of stuff when it comes to this story. One of the things about the big changes I'm making is that a lot of things will have more defined aspects to them. That's a bit confusing, but I don't want to spoil anything. But as an example, I am showing off Ren's parents, which weren't a thing in the game because that's not what the game does. The game does this elsewhere too, where there are some intentional blank spaces that you as the player are supposed to fill. But also, some of the changes are, well, changes. As in different events will occur. I won't tell you what they are, but it is interesting to think about how the characters will react, and also how you, the audience, will react. This is just some introspection on my part.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 104: Indication of Change

Notes:

I was gonna do the whole trip as one chapter, but after day one grew to eleven pages on Google docs, I decided against that. Also, a storm happened in my area today, so I did a lot of work while weathering the storm.

Reminder: Ren's sister comes from "Home" by Light1108 with permission from Light1108, and now so do Ren's parents. They might not be an exact one-to-one translation since I haven't read it in a bit, but that's the fun of doing stuff like this Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24569392/chapters/59335870

Anyway, enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up to the sound of her alarm. She turned it off, and sat up, a combination of anxiety and grogginess. Today was the day her parents and her sister were coming to visit. She stretched, and got up, careful not to wake up Morgana. She wasn’t sure how today was going to turn out, but she knew she had to face it. In some ways, this was like going into a Palace for her.

She got changed, and headed downstairs. With each step, she felt herself tense up little by little. She knew she wasn’t ready, but she also knew she’d never be ready. Yet, she decided to push on anyway because what else could she do? When she reached the cafe, she noticed something. Outside the door through the window, she spotted some familiar, long, red hair. She opened the door. “Sumire?”

“Hey Ren…” Sumire said, sheepishly.

Ren noticed she had a grocery bag. “What are you doing here?” she asked.

“Well, um, your parents are coming today, right?” Sumire answered. “I said I’d be here to help.”

Ren was a little confused. “They…aren’t here yet?”

“Right,” Sumire swiftly responded. “I just thought…well…maybe we could eat breakfast together.” She held up her bag. “You know?”

Ren was stunned initially, but then smiled. “You’re amazing,” she said. “Come in.” Sumire walked in. “So, are you also thinking of cooking for me too?”

Sumire was a little surprised. “Well, um, I thought I would, yes.”

Ren giggled. “It’s fine. I don’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable.”

“Oh, don’t worry about me,” Sumire said. “Today, I’m here for you!”

Ren giggled some more. “It’s OK. You don’t have to push yourself.”

Sumire chuckled back. “Thanks Senpai. Ah. Eh heh, sorry. It's been a bit since I’ve called you that, huh.”

“Well, you still call me that when you text me,” Ren pointed out.

Sumire got a little embarrassed. “Oh, um, well….you see…” She sighed. “That’s only because…I’ve referred to you as ‘Ren-senpai’ in texts so much that my phone just autocorrects to it now.”

“Really?” Ren said, surprised.

“Yeah,” Sumire said, getting more embarrassed.

Ren smiled. “That's adorable.”

Sumire sat in her embarrassment for a bit. She then grew determined and said “Alright! Let’s make BREAKFAST!” She went to prepare the breakfast she brought for the two of them. As she was cooking, Ren observed her, and got inspired by her confidence. Once Sumire finished, she cheerfully said “It’s ready!” she plated the breakfasts and set them down at a table.

Ren smiled, walked up from the counter, embraced Sumire, and gave her a kiss. Sumire was a little stunned, but Ren told her “Thanks. I needed this.”

“Oh,” Sumire said. She smiled. “You’re welcome.” The two sat down to eat breakfast. Once they finished, Sumire exclaimed “Ah! That was delicious.”

Ren chuckled. “You said it.”

Sumire chuckled back. She looked at the plates. “Do you think we should wash these?”

“Don’t worry about it,” said Sojiro, walking in. “Leave the dishes to me. You have to go meet your parents at the train station, right?”

Ren nodded. “Right.”

Sojiro nodded. “I hope things go well.”

“Yeah,” Ren responded. The two girls stood up.

“Thanks Boss,” Sumire said.

“Heh. No problem,” Sojiro said. The two girls left Leblanc, and headed for the station.

On their way, Sumire asked “So, um, are you still nervous?”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

Sumire looked at her and took her hand. “Hey,” Ren looked at her, “it’ll be fine.”

Ren smiled at her. “Yeah,” she responded. They continued walking. Soon, they arrived at the train station. They began looking around. “Where could they…?”

“REN-CHAAAAN!” a voice called out. Ren looked over to see her mom was calling her, with her dad and sister on either side of her. Her mom had short black hair like Ren, but it was styled, black glasses, a pair of teardrop earrings, a lime green jacket-pants combo with a navy blue shirt, and black heels. Her dad had slicked back salt and pepper hair, with a smokey gray button-up shirt, a red tie, light black pants, and black shoes. Sasa, her sister, had long black hair, a black shirt with a red Kyoto kanji on it, jean shorts, and white socks with blue shoes.

Ren and Sumire walked over to them. “Hi mom. Dad. Sasa.”

“Hi,” her dad said.

“Hey sis,” Sasa said.

Ren’s mom gave her a big hug. “Oh, I’ve missed you so much!” She moved out of the hug, but gripped Ren’s shoulders. “My, you’ve grown so much since I’ve seen you last.”

Ren was a little embarrassed. “I haven’t grown that much…” she muttered.

“Oh, nonsense,” Ren’s mom said. “Never doubt a mother’s instincts.”

“Right…” Ren said, still embarrassed.

Ren’s dad noticed Sumire. “Who might this be?” he asked.

“Oh!” Ren said, a little surprised. “Sorry. She came with me to help.”

Sumire bowed politely. “My name is Sumire Yoshizawa. It’s nice to meet you.”

Sasa was stunned, but kept quiet. “Oh, you’re so CUTE!” Ren’s mom said. “Is she your friend?”

“Well…” Ren answered, getting a little pale. “Not quite… You see, um, well… she’s… my, um, girlfriend.” Everyone was shocked. “I’m gay.” Ren continued.

“Oh…” Sumire said.

The silence among the five of them was deafening. Ren’s mom then began stuttering. “Oh, um, sooooo those rumors we heard were true?” she asked. Ren nodded nervously. “Huh…”

“Ummmm, Ren?” Sumire asked. “I’m not upset, but why did you just do that?”

Ren let out a sigh. “I don’t know,” she said in a ferver. “I thought I’d just get it over with, and if they hated me, they could leave right away. But I just realized they probably booked a hotel, and now they have to stay here anyway. And….Urghhhhhhh.”

“Well, I mean, you know I don’t hate you,” Sasa assured her. Their parents looked at her. “Ren had previously told me…”

Ren’s mom smiled, nodded, turned to Ren and said “I don’t hate you either, sweetie. It was just a surprise is all.” She turned to her husband. “Isn’t that right, dearie?”

Ren’s dad let out a sigh. “I…knew as well…” This surprised everyone. “Ren didn’t tell me herself, but I figured it out a while ago.”

Everyone else was still shocked. “Well…this was unexpected…” Ren remarked.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Ren’s mom asked.

“Well…as soon as I figured it out, I went online to figure out what to do,” Ren’s dad answered. “All the advice I saw was to let Ren come out when she’s ready, even if we knew.”

“Well, why didn’t you tell me?” Ren’s mom asked.

“Um, I think we all know the answer to that,” Sasa snarked. “You’re not exactly the best at keeping secrets…”

Ren’s mom pouted. Sumire giggled. Everyone looked at her. She grew surprised. “I’m sorry. It’s just, I’m seeing all the pieces of Ren in you, and I find it amazing.”

Ren’s mom smiled. “Oh, aren’t you the sweetest thing. Come here.” She embraced Sumire in a big hug.

“Oh!” Sumire said, caught off-guard by the hug. Ren’s mom let go after a bit.

“Why don’t we continue this at the hotel?” Ren’s dad suggested. “We need to check in soon anyways.”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “Um, do you need help with your bags?”

“Thank you sweetie,” Ren’s mom said. Ren and Sumire picked up some of their bags, and the five of them went over to the hotel to check in.

On their way, Ren got a message from Sojiro.

Sojiro: Just so you know, Morgana went over to keep an eye on Futaba today.

Sojiro: Just so you don’t worry.

Ren: Thanks.

“Who’s that?” Ren’s mom asked.

“Huh? Oh, that was Sojiro,” Ren answered.

“Oh yeah. How is he doing?” Ren’s dad asked. “It’s been a bit since we visited him.”

“He’s doing his best,” Ren informed him. “But, I’ve been wondering. How do you know Sojiro anyway?”

“Hm,” Ren’s dad grunted. “Well, you know I work at the mayor’s office back home, right?” Ren nodded. “Well, Sojiro used to work for the government too. He was working for the national politicians though. And when those guys needed something from, well, anyone, they usually send people to help negotiate. Sojiro was one of those people. And we became close.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“How come we haven’t met him before if you two were close?” Sasa asked.

“Well, he was only ever there on business,” Ren’s dad explained. “Politics is a pretty demanding field. We’d hang out and stuff when we had the time, but we never really had the opportunity to become close enough to do stuff like that.”

“But you still trusted me with him?” Ren asked.

“Well, yeah…” Ren’s dad said.

“It wasn’t his decision alone,” Ren’s mom jumped in. “Your father and I talked about several options.”

“I mean… you know why I wasn’t an option…” Sasa lamented.

“Oh, don’t be like that,” Ren’s mom said. “That’s all in the past now, right?” Sasa and Ren looked at each other, and then nodded at their mom. “Good. Anyway, when your father mentioned Sojiro, and told me about him, I thought it wouldn’t hurt to try.”

Ren was still a little frustrated. “But why wasn’t staying an option?”

“Because…well…” Ren’s mom began. She got a little angry. “Oh DARN IT! I KNEW that the town, your high school, and everything was eating you alive! I couldn’t STAND to see my baby being treated like that!”

“We just figured that the arrest on top of everything else would be too much,” Ren’s dad finished.

“Oh?” Ren said, slightly surprised.

Ren’s mom calmed down. “I’m sorry dear. I just-” she sighed. “I know how tough things have been for you.”

“Despite how it may have seemed, your mother and I were aware of how you were feeling,” Ren’s dad explained. “However, we just were not always sure how to deal with it exactly. For that, we are sorry.”

“I see…” Ren said, still a little uneasy.

“Um, pardon me for interrupting,” Sumire said, “but I think you kind of felt the same way. You have talked about how not great living in your hometown was. And also how you feel better in Tokyo.”

Everyone was looking at Sumire, slightly overwhelming her, but she could handle it. Ren sighed. “Yeah. Yeah I did. Maybe that’s why I just kind of went along with it. But a part of me still hoped that…I dunno…that maybe we…I…could be…normal in some way.”

Ren’s mom dropped the bags she was carrying. “Oh, sweetie!” She hugged Ren. “You don’t have to be normal. We love you just the way you are.”

Ren’s dad joined the hug. “We might not have always been able to say it in the way you needed to hear, but it’s true.”

Ren was stunned. She knew her parents cared about her, but this felt different. She hadn’t felt this kind of affection from them in a while. She knew that her parents were right in that they might not have known how to express their concern for her, but she also realized that she put up walls within herself. Today, she finally let the walls fall.

Ren started crying lightly. Her parents were a little concerned, but when she looked up with a smile on her face, they were assured that things were alright. “Thanks,” Ren said. Ren’s parents smiled. Looking on, Sasa and Sumire smiled too.

Ren’s parents let go. “Well, um, now that that’s all settled, let’s keep going,” Ren’s dad said.

“Yeah, I thought we were going to do all of this AT the hotel,” Sasa remarked.

“Oh, stop it,” Ren’s mom said. “You know how quickly things can turn.”

“Besides,” Ren’s dad added, “that’s something a normal family might do. Well, suffice it to say, maybe being a bit abnormal will do us all some good.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks dad.”

Sasa chuckled as well. She rolled her eyes. “Well, abnormal or normal, we don’t want to be late checking in, do we?”

“Heh heh, right,” Ren’s mom said. She picked up the bags she dropped, and the group started walking again.

They made it to the hotel and checked in.  Once they got to the room, they began to unpack some of their things. As they were unpacking, Ren asked “Well, once we’ve finished unpacking, what do you want to do next?”

Ren’s mom got a smile on her face. “Well, I don’t know about Sasa or your father, but I am quite curious about your girlfriend.”

“Huh?” Sumire said, surprised.”M-Me?”

Ren’s mom sat on the bed and nodded. “How did you two meet? What kind of things do you do? All sorts of stuff.”

“Oh,” Sumire said, still surprised.

Ren panicked a little. “Um, that might be a bit-”

“It’s fine,” Sumire said.

Ren looked at Sumire concerned. “Are you sure?”

Sumire nodded. “I’ve seen them comfort you. I’m sure everything will be OK. Besides, they’re your parents.”

Ren smiled. “Very well.”

Ren’s family was curious, but also concerned. Sumire turned to them. She took a deep breath. “Here we go. We first met on a train on our way to school. I offered an elderly woman my seat, but a businessman took it instead. Ren offered to help out, but I insisted we shouldn’t cause a scene.” Sasa chuckled. “We soon got off the train together and headed to school. We talked a little, and that’s how we first got to know each other. We interacted here and there for a bit, but during one of those times, I passed out.”

Ren’s family was concerned. “The truth is, up until I had passed out, I had been…sort of lying to Ren. A few weeks before meeting her, I…lost my sister.” Ren’s family went pale. Tears formed in Sumire’s eyes. “I was distressed, and ran into traffic. She saved me at the cost of her life.

After that, I was in a bad place. I went to see a therapist, and he convinced me to act like my sister. And I got lost in that thought, and I believed I was her. So, for the first few interactions with Ren, I told her I was my sister.

But after I passed out, I snapped out of it. And when I told Ren this, I thought she’d hate me forever. But she didn’t. She comforted me, and told me it’ll be OK.” Sumire smiled. “And after that, we became friends, and then a little while later, girlfriends.”

Ren’s family was still in shock. Ren’s dad broke the silence with a “Heh.” Everyone looked at him. “Sorry. I was just thinking about how that’s so Ren.”

“Huh?” Ren said.

“You’re always willing to help others,” Ren’s dad explained. “I’ve always found that admirable about you.”

“Oh,” Ren said, her face turning red. “Thanks.”

Ren’s mom stood up and gave Sumire another hug. “We’re sorry about your sister.”

Sumire was a little shocked, but she returned the hug. “Thanks. She'll be glad to know that.”

Once Ren’s mom let go of Sumire, Sasa asked “So, Ren told me you were the one to ask her out.” She grinned like the Cheshire Cat. “I want to hear THAT story.”

“Oh, um, well, OK,” Sumire said, getting a little flustered. Ren was also a little flustered. “Well, we’d been friends for a little while, but in my heart of hearts I knew it was something more. I’m a gymnastics performer, and I had invited our friends to come to my meet. And also, I’ve been dealing with some self-esteem issues I’d been having, which were compounded by my sister’s…well…

On the day of the meet, I decided I needed to be true to myself. So I…I…” Sumire’s face was turning red. “I, uh, called Ren out, and told her my feelings. Again, I was afraid that would be it, but again, I was proven wrong. Imagine my surprise when she reciprocated my feelings. Heh heh. Anyway,we’ve been dating ever since.”

“Wow,” Sasa said, impressed.

“How’d your meet go?” Ren’s dad asked.

“Oh. It went amazing,” Sumire said. “The judges were absolutely thrilled with my performance.”

“Wait, I didn’t hear that,” Ren said.

“Oh,” Sumire replied. “Well, it was kind of a recent thing…”

“So, what did you place?” Ren asked enthusiastically.

“Well…” Sumire said. “That one wasn’t about placing. That was a qualifying round to move on to the next competition.”

“Oh,” Ren said. “And, you qualified, right?” Ren asked.

Sumire nodded. “But, I mean, so did a lot of people.”

“Sumire, that’s amazing!” Ren said, rushing in to hug her. She loosened her hug, but still held on. “That’s still an accomplishment. We should celebrate.”

“Um, what about your family?” Sumire asked.

Ren looked out at them, and grew embarrassed, because she was so absorbed in Sumire’s accomplishment that she kind of forgot they were there. She let go of Sumire. “Eh heh.”

“It’s alright,” Ren’s mom said. “We’re here for Ren. So if Ren wants to celebrate, we’ll celebrate.”

“Oh, that’s OK,” Sumire said, feeling the rising pressure. “You don’t have to.”

“We insist,” Ren’s dad added.

“I mean, we didn’t come to Tokyo to NOT go all out,” Sasa said.

“Oh…” Sumire said. “Well, if you insist, then let’s celebrate!” The Amamiya family cheered. Sumire giggled.

“So, where do you want to go?” Ren’s dad asked.

Ren turned to Sumire. “It’s your party. Where do you want to go?”

Sumire thought it over. “Well, what about that sushi place we went to with Makoto-senpai and the others?”

“Isn’t that a bit expensive?” Ren wondered.

“Oh, we’ll be fine,” Ren’s dad said. “Besides, it’s a celebration.”

Ren snickered. “Yeah…”

“You know how to get there, right?” Sasa asked.

“I think so,” Sumire said. “It’s in Ginza, so we just need to take the subway from Shibuya Central, and we should be there shortly after.”

“Well then, let’s get going,” Ren’s dad said.

They started heading out. Ren’s mom looked at Ren and Sumire lovingly. Ren noticed this. “What?”

“Oh, nothing,” Ren’s mom said. “I’m just glad to see two young lovebirds such as yourselves.”

“Mo~om,” Ren said, clearly embarrassed. Ren’s mom chuckled.

On their way to the station, Ren noticed Yoshida preparing for his speech that night. Yoshida noticed her as well. “Ah, Amamiya-chan! Sumire-chan!” He waved.

Ren waved back politely. Everyone else took notice of Yoshida. “Do…you know that man?” Ren’s dad asked.

“Yeah…” Ren answered. “I, um, help him out with his political speeches.”

“Oh!” Ren’s dad said, surprised. “Well…let’s introduce ourselves then.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

“Well, they’re your friend, right?” Ren’s mom chimed in. Ren nodded. “Well then, that’s all the reason we need to meet them.’

Ren nodded again. “OK then…” The group walked over to Yoshida. “Hello.”

“Why hello yourself,” Yoshida replied. He looked up at the other members of the entourage. “And who might you be?”

Ren’s dad reached out his hand. “Jun Amamiya. This is my wife, Yuine, and my daughter Sasa. You’re familiar with my other daughter, Ren.”

Yoshida was surprised, but then he smiled. “Bah Hah, of course. I can see the resemblance already.” Yoshida shook hands with him. Once finished, Yoshida sputtered. “Ah, forgive me. My name is-”

“Tonanosuke Yoshida, correct?” Jun interrupted. “A former member of the Kuramoto Children.”

Yoshida paused at the mention of his past. He calmed down, nodded, and said “Well, I suppose I have a certain reputation…

“Maybe,” Jun replied. “But the truth is, Mr. Kuramoto reached out to me all those years ago as well. However, I ended up declining his offer.”

“I see,” Yoshida replied, impressed and stunned.

“He’s still in politics,” Yuine pointed out. “He works for the mayor’s office in our home town.”

“I see,” Yoshida. “I’m afraid Ren hasn’t given me much detail on where that might be, so I hope you don’t mind me asking right now.”

Jun nodded. “It’s a town called Tamotsuyama. It’s not as big as Tokyo, heck it’s probably not even as big as Shibuya, but it’s nice.”

“Well, mostly…” Yuine lamented.

“It’s…not for everyone…” Ren added.

Yoshida chuckled. “So I’ve been told.”

“I mean, it’s a fine enough place,” Ren said. “I mean, the scenery is nice. There are some good shrines…

“You don't have to force yourself,” Sasa said.

“I mean…” Ren replied.

Sumire chuckled. “Maybe I’ll just see it for myself when I visit.”

The adults looked a little worried. “Ah ha!” Yoshida said, playing it off. “When Amam-, er, I guess, Ren-chan takes all her friends to visit…”

“Right…” Jun replied. “All her friends…”

Ren sighed. “Everyone here knows!” she blurted out. They all looked at her. “You all know I’m going out with Sumire.”

The adults were surprised again. “You mean you told your parents?” Yoshida asked.

“Wait, you told him already?” Jun asked.

“Please just let it be…” Ren groaned.

“I’m genuinely surprised,” Sasa exclaimed.

Ren sighed again. “Being out and open about this is all new to me.”

Yuine hugged Ren. “Well, I’m just glad you’re able to trust people more.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks…” Yuine let go.

“Well, I suppose if your family is visiting, you won’t be able to help me out tonight?” Yoshida asked.

Ren shook her head. “Not tonight.”

Yoshida nodded. “Very well then.” He turned to everyone else. “Enjoy your stay.”

“We will,” Yuine said.

“Oh, before you go,” Yoshida said, “might I asked why you denied Mr. Kuramoto’s offer?”

“Yeah, I’ve been wondering that myself,” Sasa chimed in.

Jun smirked. “Well, the truth is,” he grabbed his wife’s hand, “we had just gotten married. We needed to focus on that. If I had jumped in at that time, I think I’d be miserable now.”

Yoshida nodded. “I see. Well, it looks like you made the right choice.”

Jun smiled. “Maybe we can talk some more later. Mind if I get your contact information?”

“Oh, not at all,” Yoshida said. They exchanged information. “I’ll look forward to speaking with you again.” He turned to Ren. “And I’ll look forward to you helping me out soon.”

“Yes sir,” Ren said back.

Yoshida nodded once more. “You take care now.” The group waved goodbye, and headed for the train.

They arrived at the sushi place soon after. Once they had their orders, Yuine held up her glass. “To Sumire!”

“To Sumire!” the other Amamiyas chanted. They clinked their glasses together.

Sumire giggled. “Thank you for doing this.”

“It’s our pleasure,” Jun said.

“So, now that you’ve qualified,” Sasa began, “when is the next meet?”

Sumire was a little surprised. “Oh, right. Um, well, it’s coming up at the end of this month.”

“Really?” Ren asked.

Sumire nodded. “Of course, you’re invited to attend.”

“No offense, but shouldn’t you be practicing?” Jun asked.

“I do,” Sumire answered. “Quite often. But…after everything that has happened, I need time for myself too.”

“I see,” Jun said. “My apologies.”

“You don’t need to apologize,” Sumire said. “It’s fine. Really.” They continued to eat their sushi.

Once they finished, they paid their bill and left. “Man, that hit the spot!” Ren said.

“Tell me about it,” Sasa said. She glanced over at Sumire. “I didn’t know such a petite girl could eat THAT much sushi.”

Sumire was a little embarrassed. “Well…”

“She’s a growing girl,” Yuine pointed out. “Need I remind you of the time I found you in the KFC on your birthday having just eaten three buckets?”

Sasa got embarrassed now. “And you wondered why dad didn’t tell you…” she muttered.

Sumire giggled. “It’s fine. As an athlete, I tend to eat a lot because I need the calories for my performances.”

“Makes sense,” Jun said. “And maybe we could have eaten some more ourselves, considering we’re going to be walking around Tokyo all day.”

“Speaking of, where do you want to go next?” Ren asked. They deliberated for a bit, before heading off to see the sights of Tokyo.

While they were walking to another destination, Sasa asked “So sis, I’ve been wondering: do you still support The Phantom Thieves?”

“Oh, you saw it too?” Ren groaned.

“It is a very popular clip,” Sumire pointed out. “It’s been seen online over 3 million times.”

“How do you know that?” Ren asked.

Sumire giggled. “You know my dad works at the TV station that hosted that show. It’s one of the station’s highest viewed videos.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“It’s OK dear,” Yuine said. “It was a great interview.”

“Besides, it’s been almost two months at this point,” Jun reminded her. “People have moved on.”

Ren smiled. “You’re right. Thanks.”

“But for real though, what’s up with The Phantom Thieves?” Sasa asked. “This whole Medjed thing is kicking things into high gear.”

Ren shrugged. “Your guess is as good as mine. I mean, it’s not like I know anything about The Phantom Thieves.”

“Fair, but still,” Sasa said. “I hope they can pull this off.”

Ren nodded. “Me too.” She then grew a little nervous. She looked at her parents. “Um, what do you think of The Phantom Thieves?”

“Oh, I’m a fan!” Yuine said. Ren relaxed and smiled.

“Ditto,” Jun said. “Although, I do wonder how they do it.”

“I think everyone is wondering that,” Sasa pointed out.

“True,” Jun replied. “I mean, it’s a very potent ability. I don’t know if I could handle it.”

“Um, I’m sure The Phantom Thieves are aware of that fact,” Sumire pointed out.

Jun nodded. “I suppose you’re right. I don’t think they’d do this without considering what’s at stake. Besides, since they are so secretive, there might be something in play that we just don’t know about.”

Ren giggled. “You’re probably right. Anyway, let’s keep going.” The group traveled around Tokyo some more.

As evening approached, Jun noted “Boy, I’m beat.”

“Yeah,” Sasa agreed. “I mean, Kyoto’s big, but Tokyo’s HUGE!”

Ren chuckled. “I think we should just grab dinner and call it a day.”

“I agree,” Yuine said. “But where should we go?”

“I mean, what’s cheap around here?” Jun said. “We did spend a lot on that sushi.”

“Sorry…” Sumire said.

“Don’t worry about it,” Jun said.

Sumire then had an idea. “Why don’t we go to Leblanc?”

Sasa, Yuine, and Jun were a bit confused. “Leblanc?” Jun asked.

“Yeah,” Ren jumped in. “That’s Sojiro’s restaurant.”

“I see,” Jun said. “Well then, I think we should pay him a visit.” They all nodded, and Ren led the way.

When they entered, Sojiro turned to greet them. “Welcome.” He saw who it was. “Ah, it’s you.”

Jun nodded. “Long time, no see.”

Sojiro nodded back. “Likewise. So, are you here to see how things are going?”

“Well, that too,” Jun said. Their stomachs grumbled. “But first, we are a bit hungry.”

“Very well,” Sojiro said. “What can I get you all?” They placed their orders, and Sojiro went to prepare them, as they all sat down. Jun and Yuine were on one side of the booth, while Ren and Sumire were on the other, and Sasa pulled up a chair to sit with them. Sojiro came with their orders. “There you go.”

The group decided to start eating. Sasa was elated. “This is really good!” She turned to Ren. “Do you eat this every day?”

“Well, fairly often,” Ren admitted.

“I’m SO jealous!” Sasa said.

“This flavor…” Jun wondered.

Sojiro nodded. “It’s Wakaba’s.”

Jun smiled. “I should have figured. By the way, sorry I couldn’t make it to the funeral.”

“Eh, don’t worry yourself about it,” Sojiro said. “If anything, there was so much crossfire, you probably dodged several bullets.”

“Duly noted,” Jun said. They continued eating.

A little bit later, Yuine asked “So, how has Ren been doing?”

“You’ve seen her today,” Sojiro pointed out.

“I know, but I want to hear it from you,” Yuine said.

Sojiro smirked. “She’s been doing just fine.”

“Great to hear,” Yuine said.

Something was bothering Sojiro. “Say Jun…” Jun looked up. “You still work for the mayor's office, right?”

Jun swallowed his bite. “Right…”

Sojiro looked at him intently. “Did you…know that Ren’s arrest was bogus?”

Everyone was a little shocked. They looked at Sojiro, and then at Jun. Jun nodded. “Of course I knew. How could I not know? But I couldn’t DO anything about it.”

“Why not?” Sojiro asked.

“I don’t know,” Jun answered. “I tried every avenue, but I was always blocked from getting any information. The whole thing stinks to high Heaven.”

“So, why didn’t you tell anyone?” Sojiro asked.

“Um, they told me…” Ren admitted. “Before I left, they told me that they believed me. Besides, I…kind of figured from the way the man presented himself.”

Sojiro was surprised by this revelation. “Well, why didn’t you tell me?!” he asked, angrily.

“Or me?” Sasa wondered.

Jun and Yuine looked at each other. “Well, we tried telling you Sasa,” Yuine said, “but you wouldn’t listen…”

“Oh…right…” Sasa said, disappointed in herself.

“As for why we didn’t tell you,” Jun said, looking at Sojiro, “to be honest, I wasn’t sure if you’d believe me. I mean, if you didn’t believe me, you might not have taken Ren in. Yuine and I knew she needed something like this, and if this didn’t work, well, we didn’t know what to do.”

“Hmmm,” Sojiro grunted. “I guess I can see that. There might have been a time when I might not have believed you. However, now that I’m out of the hornet’s nest of government work and have my own little slice of Tokyo, I’m more free than ever.”

Jun smirked. “I guess it really has been a while, huh.”

Sojiro nodded. “Perhaps we should make an effort to rekindle our friendship.”

Jun nodded back. “I’d like that.”

They finished their dinner, and soon after, Jun, Yuime, and Sasa had to get back to their hotel. Sojiro, Ren, and Sumire saw them off to the train station. “You need help getting back to the hotel?” Sojiro asked.

“I think we’re fine,” Jun said.

“Well then, take care,” Sojiro said. Jun nodded. The three got onto the train and headed out.

Sumire’s parents came to pick her up soon after. “So, how was today?” Shinichi asked.

“It was great!” Sumire said.

“How long is your family staying, Ren-chan?” Akane asked.

“They can only stay for a little bit, so tomorrow’s their last full day, and then they’re leaving the day after.”

“Well, we should have them over, shouldn’t we dear,?” Akane asked.

Shinichi nodded. “Of course.” He turned to the couple. “How does that sound?”

The girls were embarrassed. However, they were able to answer. “It should be fine,” Ren said.

“It sounds like a wonderful time,” Sumire added.

“Great,” Shinichi said. “See you then.”

Sumire gave Ren a quick peck on the cheek, and then got in the car. “I’ll see you tomorrow, OK?” Ren nodded and waved as Sumire waved back. The car took off.

Ren stopped waving, and sighed. She headed back to Leblanc, when she heard a familiar “Hey!”

She looked down to see Morgana. She asked “How’s Futaba?”

“I can tell she’s getting better,” Morgana said, “but she’s still under the weather.”

“I see…” Ren replied.

“What about you?” Morgana asked. “How did your day go?”

Ren smiled wide. “It went amazing.” As the two of them headed for Leblanc, and even once they got inside, Ren told the story of that day to Morgana, and spared no details. Morgana listened eagerly, and enjoyed every moment.

Notes:

If you haven't guessed by now, I do have an optimism bias as a writer. It's not that I can't, or won't, do anything with a dark twist, I'm just not likely to do it. At least, in certain situations. I dunno. It's something I've been thinking about. Maybe it results in a story that's less "real", but I'm already writing a story about an alternate universe that people can go into that's based on cognition where they can summon magic beings that can shoot out all sorts of things, so "real" isn't entirely what I'm aiming for.

Anyway, trying to reverse-engineer Ren's circumstances so that it can still make sense was something. I think I did a good job. But also this story has been going on for roughly two years, and while I try my best to keep things consistant, it's no easy feat. So I guess it can't be helped if stuff falls through the cracks.

As interesting an idea as it is, I didn't want Ren to be from Inaba. Of course, that meant figuring something out. I looked into it, and Inaba is named after the Inaba Hare, which is a central figure in Japanese mythology. I eventually came to the conclusion that Persona 4 is very much linked with Japanese mythology, so if I was going to come up with a name it needs to be more reflective of P5. So, the name "Tamotsuyama" comes from the Japanese words "Tamotsu", which means "keep", as in "Prison Keep (or that's how I'm using it anyway), and "Yama", which means "Mountain", to indicate location. My logic is that in order for Ren to be who she is, she needs to break out from the Prison Keep that was her hometown. Also, I just used Google Translate, and I had to translate the words separately because the idea kind of gets lost in Google Translation, and I just put them together haphazardly. I don't think that's how it works, and I do apologize, but I was stressing out over the name as it was, and I just landed on that.

Speaking of names though, boy was this a tough chapter to name. It's probably only going to get tougher, just because I've already cracked 100 chapters, and based on how things are going, it's probable that I'll crack 200. Still, when I find one that work and I like, I really like it.

Chapter 105: Togetherness

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ren woke up and looked out the window. She smiled as she greeted the day. She got out of bed and got dressed. She went down to see Sumire standing outside the door again. She opened the door. “Sumire?”

Sumire smiled, holding up a bag of food. “I figured we should do this again.”

Ren chuckled. “By all means.” She invited Sumire in. Sumire began preparing breakfast. As Ren was watching her cook, she smiled and said “I can’t wait until this happens every day.” Sumire froze up for a second. She turned to face Ren looking simultaneously red and pale. After seeing Sumire’s reaction, Ren realized just what she said, and got embarrassed herself. “Oh, uh, sorry… Just…forget I said that…”

Sumire calmed down a little and said “Right…” She went back to cooking. She was still a bundle of nerves, but she usually gets nervous when it comes to gymnastics, so she’s used to cooking while nervous. Once she finished, she set the plates down. “Here you go!”

Ren nodded and said “Thanks.” Sumire giggled. They sat down, and began eating. Ren looked up from her meal. “Listen. Sumire looked up. “Uhhhh, about what I said...”

Sumire smiled. “It’s OK. It just caught me off guard is all.” She looked down at her plate. “The truth is…I’m really happy you said that…” Ren was surprised. Sumire looked back up. “I’m looking forward to it too.” She giggled. Ren giggled back. They finished their breakfast. They left their dishes in the sink and headed to the hotel to meet up with Ren’s family.

At the hotel, Jun, Yuine, and Sasa were all waiting for them. “Good morning girls!” Yuine said excitedly.

Ren waved, while Sumire nodded politely. “Um, if it’s alright, my parents invited you over for dinner tonight.”

The three older Amamiyas were a little stunned. However, Jun smiled and said “That sounds lovely.”

“So, what do we do until then?” Sasa asked.

“Um, I’m not sure,” Ren said. “We saw and did a lot yesterday. If you could stay longer, we could do more things, but…”

Jun sighed. “Sorry…”

“No, it’s fine,” Ren said. “I get it.”

“Well, I think I know something we could do,” Sumire chimed in. The Amamiya family looked at her. “Well, um, if you just want to have fun, and not do as much sightseeing today, the studio where I practice is in Kichijoji. Some of my friends showed me a really cool place nearby.”

“Well that sounds like a good time,” Yuine said.

“I have no objections,” Jun replied

“Looks like we’re going to Kichijoji,” Sasa shrugged. Ren smiled, and off they went.

Once they got there, they ventured through Kichijoji to find a place called Penguin Sniper. “Here we are,” Sumire said.

“Hmmmm,” Jun said.

“You…don’t like it?” Sumire wondered.

“I was just kind of hopin’ that it would be an arcade,” Jun replied. “This is fine though.”

“Oh, well, we can go to an arcade if you want,” Sumire offered.

Jun shook his head. “Really, it’s alright. I can go to an arcade whenever, I’m only here until tomorrow.”

Sumire nodded. “Well then let’s head inside.” Everyone nodded, and they all headed in. Sumire and Ren walked in first and grew wide-eyed when they saw Ann, Ryuji, Jose, Yusuke, and Makoto hanging out. The group noticed them back.

“Oh…” Makoto said.

“Uh, hi….” Ren awkwardly said back.

The rest of Ren’s family walked in and noticed her and Sumire stood still. “Huh?” Jun said. He looked up and noticed the group. “Who are they?”

“Oh, uh,” Ren said, getting caught slightly off guard. “They’re some of my other friends.”

“Really?” Jun asked.

Everyone else cautiously but firmly walked up to Ren and Sumire, intently staring Ren’s family down. “Problem?” Ann asked.

Jun smiled. “Heh. Not at all.” The kids relaxed a little, but were still a little on edge.

“Oh, they’re all soo CUTE!” Yuine said. “Care to introduce us?”

“Oh, um, sure,” Ren said, relaxing more. “This is Ann, Ryuji, Jose, Yusuke, and Makoto.” They each waved politely.

“Oh, how sweet,” Yuine said.

“Well, since we’re all here,” Sasa said, “why don’t we just hang out together?”

Sumire giggled. “Sounds like a plan to me.” Everyone nodded and agreed. Jun covered the cost of their initial party to get in, and they started playing some pool.

As they were setting up, Ren asked “So, um, what brings you all here?”

“Oh, um, well,” Ann answered, “Makoto invited us.”

“I’ve actually known about this place for a while,” Makoto explained. “I’ve been meaning to bring you all here earlier, but, um, well…”

Ren did remember her mentioning something about a place in Kichijoji when suggesting hideouts. “Oh, right,” she replied.

“I thought today would be a good day to go, since you were still going to spend time with your parents,” Makoto continued.

“Well, it seems to have turned out that way,” Yuine added.

“I am curious as to why you came here,” Yusuke said.

“Oh, I suggested it,” Sumire explained. “The studio where I practice is close by, and I come here sometimes with my friends.”

“I see,” Yusuke responded. They continued their game.

As Ren was setting up a shot, Ann asked “Um, do they…?”

Ren looked up at Ann. She looked back at the table. “Yeah.” She made her move, and sunk one of the balls. She started moving to her next location. “It was the first thing I told them.”

“Oh,” Ann said, taken aback. “And they’re fine with it?”

“Yeah,” Ren said, setting up her next shot.

“I see…” Ann said.

She took her next shot, but missed. “It’s still a little odd, but it’s going OK.”

“Right,” Ann nodded.

“You’re up, Makoto,” Ren said.

Makoto nodded. “Yes.” She went to take her shot.

Meanwhile, Yuine approached Jose. “Um, I don’t mean to be rude, but you do seem a little young to be a high schooler.”

“None taken,” Jose said. “I am actually. I’m what you call a ‘prodigy’.”

“Oh!” Yuine said, impressed. “How marvelous.”

Jose nodded. “Yusuke and I both go to Kosei High.”

“Oh?” Yuine said. “What’s it like?”

“It’s a wonderful school,” Yusuke interjected. “Although it is a specialty school, it really helps creatives, such as us, blossom.”

“How wonderful,” Yuine said.

“Annnnnnd THERE!” Ren said, sinking the last ball. “Ha ha!”

“Wow,” Makoto said. “I’m impressed.”

“Yeah, but it was close,” Ren said. She reached out her hand, and Makoto reached back and the two shook.

The next game was between Sumire and Yusuke. “Time to show off my technique!” Yusuke boldly stated.

Sumire chuckled. “I can’t wait.” They began.

Meanwhile, Makoto approached Sasa. “Oh, hi there,” Sasa said.

“Hi,” Makoto said, somewhat nervously. “So, um, you’re in college, correct?”

“Absolutely,” Sasa said.

“So, um what’s it like?” Makoto asked. Sasa was a little surprised. “It’s just, um, I’m a third year, and I need to start thinking of these sorts of things.”

Sasa nodded. “I see. Well, in some ways, it’s like high school. I mean, it’s classes, notes, all that fun stuff.”

“Right,” Makoto said.

“But a lot of it is learning how to do things on your own too,” Sasa continued. “Getting up, organizing your schedule, being in charge of your own food, stuff like that.”

“Oh, I’m already on top of all that stuff,” Makoto informed her. Sasa seemed a little confused. “See, my dad passed away three years ago, and my sister, who became my guardian, is busy a lot, so I sort of learned all that.”

“Oh,” Sasa said. “I…didn’t know…”

“It’s fine,” Makoto said. Her face grew a little somber. “You know, in many ways, hanging out with Ren and everyone, I’ve started feeling better than I have in a while.”

Sasa smirked and chuckled. “Knowing Ren, she’d be glad to hear that.”

Yusuke and Sumire’s game was wrapping up, as Sumire had taken a commanding lead. She sunk the last ball in. “Yes!”

“I’m amazed!” Yusuke said. “How did you do that?”

“Well, I do come here fairly regularly. I guess practice makes perfect.”

Yusuke smiled and nodded. “I agree there. However, I would love to come here again. Seeing the colors fly around the board, using precise shots and angles, it stimulates the mind. I feel inspired.” Sumire giggled.

“Alright, I guess we’re up next!” Ryuji shouted. “You ready Ann?”

“Oh, you KNOW it,” Ann answered. The two of them began playing.

As they were watching them play, Yuine and Jun noticed something, and went to Ren for confirmation. “They like each other, don’t they?” Yuine asked.

“Yup,” Ren answered.

“But they haven’t told each other, I take it?” Jun continued.

“That’s right,” Ren answered again.

“Well, I hope they get a chance to,” Yuine said.

Ann went on to win. “YAY!” she cheered.

“Argh!” Ryuji moaned. “Well, I guess we’re even…”

Ann looked at him confused. “Um, ‘Even’?” she asked.

“Well, I beat you at our dancing game, remember?” Ryuji said.

“Oh, yeah…” Ann said, embarrassed.

A silence hung over the two of them, before Jun said “Well, I think it’s our turn darling.”

“Oh, indeed,” Yuine said. They set up the table.

“You…might want to brace yourselves…” Sasa said.

“Yeah…” Ren agreed. Everyone was a little confused. When Jun broke the balls, it was as if a thunderclap had encapsulated the area.

Unfortunately for Jun, he didn’t manage to sink any balls. “Good,” Yuine said, “but not good enough!” She took her turn and sunk a shot with high intensity.

Everyone else was watching. “Mom and dad are REALLY competitive with each other,” Sasa informed them.

“That…sounds unhealthy,” Ryuji remarked.

“I understand your point, but it’s quite the opposite,” Ren replied. “I mean, they only get like this when they’re doing something like this.”

“Yeah, they just get into the fun of it,” Sasa said. “They do have their disagreements, but it never turns into this.”

Everyone continued watching their intense game. “Well, if you say it’s fine…” Ann said.

“It is quite interesting,” Makoto said. “In the intensity, I do see how much they seem to care about each other.”

“It is odd…” Jose said. “But I think I see what you mean.”

“Hmmm, should I be taking notes?” Yusuke asked.

“Maybe not,” Sasa said. “It’s not a ‘one size fits all’ policy when it comes to being a couple.”

“Oh, do you have experience?” Yusuke asked.

“I’d…rather not talk about it…” Sasa said.

“Sasa hasn’t had…let’s say, the best experience when it comes to romantic relationships,” Ren said

“Don’t worry,” Sumire assured her, “I’m sure you’ll find someone.”

Sasa smiled. “Thanks.”

The game ended in a victory for Jun, but it was the closest game yet. “And THAT is how it’s done.”

“Hm,” Yuine pouted. “Well, since you won fair and square, is there anything I can do for you?”

“Oh, you already KNOW what I want,” Jun said. He pulled Yuine in, while Yuine giggled slightly. They shared a kiss, and then smiled and giggled some more.

Ren gently elbowed Ann. “So Ann, is there anything you want from Ryuji?”

“Huh?!” Ann responded, getting embarrassed. “Well…”

“If I may,” Yusuke interjected “Is there anything you want from me, Sumire?”

“Oh, um, well…” Sumire began, unsure of how to answer. “...I’ll think about it.”

“Very well then,” Yusuke replied.

“Oh, I’ll think about it too then!” Ann said. Ren rolled her eyes.

“Well, whatever it is, don’t make it too embarrassing,” Ryuji grumbled.

“So, are you going to hold onto your reward too?” Makoto asked Ren.

Ren thought about it. “I guess I will. You never know when it’ll come in handy.”

“I see…” Makoto said, slightly worried.

“Hey, come on,” Ren said. “I wouldn’t do anything nasty to ya.”

“Well…if you say so…” Makoto said, still slightly worried.

Sasa chuckled at this exchange. Sumire looked over. “Um, did you want to play a game, Sasa?”

Sasa was caught a bit off guard, but she recomposed herself and said “Nah, I’m good. I like watching.”

“Besides,” Jose said, “ I’m the only other one who hasn’t played, and I can’t reach the table.”

“Yeah,” Sasa said, pulling him into a side hug.

Jose was a little taken aback. “Ummmm.”

“Oh, sorry,” Sasa said. “I should have asked.”

“Oh, um, it’s fine,” Jose said, getting a little embarrassed. “I just wasn't expecting it.”

“Well, next time, I’ll make sure you expect it,” Sasa said.

“Thanks…” Jose said. Sasa chuckled.

Jun and Yuine’s stomachs grumbled “Well, I think it’s about time we get some lunch. Do you all want to join us?”

“Oh, HELL YEAH!” Ryuji said.

“Ryuji!” Ann chastised. “Don’t be rude.”

“We don’t want to intrude on their family vacation,” Makoto said.

“Ohhhhhhh,” Ryuji groaned.

Jun chuckled. “We insist.”

“Are you sure?” Makoto asked.

“Positive,” Yuine said.

“Well, in that case, it would be rude not to go,” Makoto remarked.

“Oh, SWEET!” Ryuji cheered.

Ren chuckled. “Ryuji here knows ALL the best food places.”

“Is that so?” Jun wondered.

“Uhhhhh,” Ryuji stammered.

“What are you thinking, sweetie?” Jun asked.

“Hmmm,” Yuine thought. “I want a beef bowl.”

“Hm hm, how serendipitous,” Yusuke remarked. “Ryuji took me to an excellent beef bowl place when we first became friends. Lead the way, Ryuji!”

“Huh?! D-Don’t put me on the spot like that,” Ryuji said. “Buuuuut, it IS an amazing place. Alright, let’s do this!” Ryuji was first out the door, while the others followed him. They went to the beef bowl place, and had an extraordinary lunch.

After Yuine finished her bowl, she asked “Should I get another one?”

“Well, we did go a little hard during that pool game,” Jun said. “But frankly, we better not. We don’t want to be too full for tonight.”

“You’re right dear,” Yuine said.

“Um, what are you doing tonight?” Ann asked.

“Oh, my parents invited us over,” Sumire informed them.

“Oh,” Ann replied. “I see.”

“I take it we’re not invited….” Ryuji noted.

Sumire shook her head. “As much as I would like that, this is meant to be a more personal occasion.”

“Well, it was lovely to run into you,” Makoto said. “I had a great time.”

“Likewise,” Yusuke said.

“We should do this again the next time,” Jose proposed.

Sasa chuckled. “I’d like that kid.”

Jose blushed. “Thanks…”

“Well, we’ll be sure to hold you to it,” Yuine said.

“Agreed,” Jun said. “But for now, I guess this is it.” He indicated for the check, and paid. After that, they left the restaurant. “Until next time.”

“See you later!” Ren said.

“Take care!” Ann replied. The two groups split up.

“So, what should we do now?” Sasa asked.

“Um, if I may,” Ren interjected. “I have an idea, but I need to check on something first.”

“Go ahead dear,” Yuine said.

“Thanks,” Ren said. She got out her phone.

Ren: Hey, is Morgana watching Futaba again?

Sojiro: Yeah. Why?

Ren: I want my family to meet him.

Sojiro: Oh, right. I guess they didn’t get a chance to do it yesterday, since it was so late.

Sojiro: Alright, I’ll go unlock the door. It shouldn’t take long.

Ren: Thanks.

Sojiro: Just make sure to lock it again.

Ren: Can do.

Ren put her phone away. “What’s the verdict?” Yuine asked.

Ren nodded. “We can do it.”

“And what exactly are we doing?” Sasa asked.

“We’re meeting another friend of mine,” Ren answered. “But to do so, we need to head back to Yongen.”

“Oh, perfect,” Sumire said. “If we stick close by, my parents can just pick us up, and we can head to my place immediately.”

“Well, sounds like a plan then,” Jun said. The group nodded, and they went to Yongen-Jaya. Ren led them to Sojiro’s house, and opened the door. “So, this is Sojiro’s place, huh?” Jun remarked.

“It certainly has a nice feel to it,” Yuine posited.

“So, who are we meeting here?” Sasa asked.

“Just give me a second,” Ren said. She went down to Futaba’s room, and opened the door to a startled Morgana. “Wanna meet my family?” she asked.

“Ummmm, sure?” Morgana answered.

Ren giggled. “Sorry. This was a little impromptu, wasn’t it?”

“It’s fine,” Morgana said.

“How’s she holding up, by the way?” Ren asked, pointing to Futaba.

“She’s getting better, but…” Morgana said. Ren frowned. “I’m sure she’ll be back on her feet in no time.”

Ren smiled again. “Well, I trust you. Anyway, let’s go.” Morgana nodded back, and the two went back to the entrance.

Ren arrived first. Her family was curious. “Mom, dad, Sasa, meet Morgana.” Morgana walked out.

The family was surprised. “Ooooooooo, he’s so CUTE!” Yuinie said. “Come here!” Yuine walked in, picked up Morgana, and gave him a tight hug.

“Ack!” Morgana said. “P…put me down.”

“Um, I think he wants you to loosen your grip…” Sumire said.

“Oh, sorry dear,” Yuine said. She stopped hugging Morgana. “It’s just, he’s so CUTE!” She began rubbing her cheeks on his.

“Hey don’t get too cuddly with him,” Jun said. “I might get jealous, you know.”

“Oh, stop,” Yuine said.

“So, you have a cat now, huh?” Sasa said. “I’m amazed Sojiro let you adopt him.”

“I am NOT A cat!” Morgana insisted. Ren shot a glare at him, as if to say “this is not the time or place.” “Mmm,” Morgana groaned.

Ren turned to her family. “Well, it was a bit of a surprise for everyone.” Ren’s family was confused. Morgana leaped out of Yuine’s hands and landed next to Ren. “See, Morgana wasn’t traditionally adopted. When I found him, he was a stray. He was alone in the world, and, well, I could relate. We interacted a little bit, and I helped him out, and well, he took a liking to me, and followed me home.”

“So, you took in a stray?” Jun responded.

Ren nodded. “But, he’s more than just a cat to me. He’s a good friend. He’s always there for me, and he helps me understand myself better. This whole thing with the parole, and moving to a new place, it’s a lot. But Morgana, he helps keep me grounded. I don’t think I’d be even half the person I am now without him.”

Ren’s family looked at her and Morgana, entranced. “Oh,” Yuine said. She rushed over and gave Ren a hug. “I’m so sorry, sweetie.”

Ren was surprised at first, but smiled, and hugged her mom back. “It’s OK. I mean, I wish the circumstances were different, but I think I needed something like this.”

“Hm,” Jun replied. “I think we all do, from time to time.” He knelt down to meet Morgana eye-to-eye. “Thanks kitty.” He scratched Morgana’s chin.

“Mreh-heh!” Morgana chuckled proudly. Sumire chuckled.

Sasa came down to pet Morgana’s head. “Thanks Morgana. For being there for my little sis.” Morgana was basking in the affection, and purring. Ren chuckled a little too.

Jun stood up. “Well, it’s nice that we got to meet him.”

“Agreed,” Yuine said. “He’s so cute.”

Sasa and Ren rolled their eyes. “This was really nice though,” Sasa said. “I’d definitely want to spend a little more time with Morgana the next time we visit.”

“Well, you’re always welcome,” Ren said. “But, we still have time now. Do you just wanna stay here and pet him until dinner?”

“As lovely as that sounds, I think we shouldn’t impose ourselves here too long,” Jun said.

“Besides,” Morgana chimed in, “I should get back to checking in on Futaba.”

Ren nodded. “Well, alright then.” They started to leave. “See you later, Morgana!” she waved, before closing the door and locking it.

“So, what now then?” Sasa asked.

“We still have some time until dinner,” Sumire pointed out.

Ren looked around. “Oh. I know what we can do,” she exclaimed. “We can check out a movie. There’s a theater nearby.”

Jun nodded. “Sounds like a plan.” Ren led them to the movie theater. “So, what should we watch?”

Sasa eyed a poster. “Ooo, how about this one? “Patch Saw’. It looks fun!”

Sumire’s face went pale. “Ummmmmmmmm…”

“Sumire doesn’t do well with horror movies,” Ren informed her.

“Oh,” Sasa responded.

Yuine chuckled. “You used to be like that too, Sasa.”

“Well, don’t tell them that,” Sasa replied. “I’m trying to be cool.” Ren snickered. “Shut up.”

Jun spots a different post. “What about this one? ‘Tanktop Millionaire’?”

Sumire smiled. “I heard that one’s really good.”

“Well, I think it’s settled then,” Yuine said.

They went to the counter. “Five for ‘Tanktop Millionaire’,” Jun said.

The old couple manning the counter gave them their tickets. “Thank you,” the woman said.

“Be sure to tell all your friends about us,” the man said.

Sumire nodded. “We will.”

“Yep,” Ren said. The group walked into the theater room showing their movie. Before going in, Ren looked back at the couple. She could sense a bit of despair coming from their voices. She decided to keep it for later.

After the movie was over, the group walked out.”That was AMAZING!” Sumire exclaimed.

“Indeed,” Jun said.

Yuine was slightly crying. “It was very beautiful.”

Sasa chuckled. “I think my friends back in Kyoto would want to see it as well.”

Ren nodded. “I wouldn’t mind seeing it again with my friends.”

Jun checked his watch. “Well, I think it’s about time we should head over to the Yoshizawa residence.”

Sumire nodded. “I’ll call my parents.” A little while later, Sumire’s dad came to pick everyone up. Sumire waved at him. “Hi dad!”

Shinichi nodded. “Hi pumpkin.” The group walked to the car. Jun got in the passenger’s seat, Yuine and Sasa sat in the middle, and Ren and Sumire sat in the back. “My wife’s home preparing dinner.”

Jun nodded. “I’m sure it’ll be delicious.”

“Thank you,” Shinichi said. He revved the engine up, and off they went to the Yoshizawa household. Once they arrived, Shinichi said “Here we are.” They left the car and went into the house. Shinichi opened the door. “Please, come in.”

“Thank you,” Jun said as he nodded. The group headed in.

As they walked to the dining room, Akane greeted them with a bow. “Welcome,” she said.

“Hi mom,” Sumire greeted back.

“Hello, Mrs. Yoshizawa,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed.

“You can just call me ‘Akane’,” she instructed.

“Oh… th-thank you,” Ren said nervously. Akane giggled.

“How long until dinner is ready dear?” Shinichi asked.

“It’ll be just a few minutes,” Akane said. “If you’ll excuse me.” She went back to the kitchen.

Jun noticed the nearby photo of Kasumi. “So, this must be Kasumi.”

“Huh?” Shinichi said, a little on edge. “Oh, the photo, yes.” Shinichi grew a little sad.

“We’re sorry for your loss,” Jun said. “I can’t imagine what it’s like.”

“Thank you,” Shinichi replied. “I pray you never know.”

Soon, they were sat down for dinner. “This is incredible,” Yuine said. “If I may, could I have the recipe?”

“Of course,” Akane replied.

Shinichi chuckled. “You’re quite lucky,” he said. “Akane is a five-star chef.”

“Oh, stop,” Akane said.

“It’s true,” Sumire said. “Your cooking is incredible.”

“Well, your cooking is also really good too, sweetie,” Akane said.

“What can I say? I learned from the best,” Sumire replied.

“So, what do you do when you aren’t cooking?” Jun asked.

“Oh, um, well…” Akane said nervously. “I take you’re asking me what my job is. But the truth is, I am a professional chef.”

“GET OUT!” Yuine gasped.

Shinichi nodded. “She works at a high class hotel as the Sous Chef.”

“Wait,” Ren interrupted. “The Wilton hotel?”

“Um, yes, Shinichi said.

“Oh,” Ren exclaimed. “I’ve been there before. The food was fantastic.”

“Why, thank you dear,” Akane said.

“Oh, Ren, didn’t you say you wanted to become a cook?” Sumire asked. “Maybe my mom could hire you once you’re done with high school.”

Yuine seemed a bit confused. “I always thought you wanted to be a teacher…” she noted.

Ren was a bit surprised. “Maybe when I was in elementary school. Or when I didn’t have a criminal record.”

“You have a record?” Shinichi asked.

Ren looked at Sumire a little confused. “I…didn’t…tell them about that…sorry…”

Ren was a bit conflicted, and didn’t entirely know what to say. “The charges were bogus,” Sasa interrupted. Everyone looked at her. “No way Ren is capable of doing what they said she did.”

“It’s true,” Jun said. “I looked over the report myself, and it made no sense.”

“Oh, are you a police officer then?” Shinichi asked.

Jun shook his head. “I work for the mayor’s office back in our hometown.”

“I see,” Shinichi said.

“Well, this certainly was a surprise,” Akane added. Sumire looked a little nervous. Akane noticed. “Oh, it’s OK sweetie.”

“I just- …mmmm…” Sumire said, failing to find the words.

“She’s innocent, right?” Shinichi said. Sumire looked up and nodded. “Well then that settles it.” A sense of relief came over the dinner table.

After some more eating, Yuine asked “So, what do you do, Mr. Yoshizawa?”

“Huh?” Shinichi replied. “Oh, I work for a television company.”

“Ooo, that sounds fun,” Yuine said. Ren rolled her eyes, hoping no one would notice.

“Well, there are a lot of technical aspects to it,” Shinichi informed them, “but it is very rewarding. Now, pardon me for asking, but what do you do, Mrs. Amamiya?”

“Oh, well, I run my own massage parlor,” she answered.

“Really?” Shinichi replied.

Yuine nodded. “It’s actually a marvelous experience. The customers are great, everyone who works there is great.”

“Mom really is a people person,” Sasa clarified.

“It’s true,” Ren said. “I’m a little jealous.”

“Really?” Yuine wondered. “We spent all morning with your friends. How are you not a people person?”

Ren was a bit concerned. “But-”

“She’s right, you know,” Sumire added. “I’ve noticed that when you talk with people, you really try to get to know them. I think that’s really admirable.”

Shinichi nodded. “I have to agree. I’ve had Akechi on my show more times than I can count, but you’re the only person he seemed interested in getting to know better.”

Ren blushed from all the kind words. “Thanks…”

Akane turned to Yuine. “So, how did you come to own your own massage parlor?” she asked.

“Oh, well, that was by accident,” Yuine said. “Before working there, I was a business lady at a local branch of a giant company. It…had its moments, but…I don’t know. Anyway, one day, one of my coworkers was talking about this massage place, and I felt like I could use one.” She glanced quickly and whispered “you may have noticed, but us Amamiya women are, shall we say, ‘gifted’.”

“Mom,” Ren said, even more embarrassed.

“Geez,” Sasa said, also embarrassed.

Yuine chuckled. “Hm hm. Anyway, I walked in there to make an appointment, and I noticed that the owner was arguing with a bank manager. After the manager left, I asked what was wrong. The place was struggling financially, and I decided to help. I offered to look over their records to see if I could sort them out.

While I was working on it, customers would come in left and right, and I would see the staff not only service them, but build a rapport. In that moment, I was jealous. I managed to sort things out, and at first they wanted to thank me by giving me a free massage, but I instead offered to join them as their business manager. The owner agreed, and also trained me in giving massages as well. A little while later, they retired, and gave me the store.”

“Wow,” Akane said.

“That’s quite an amazing story,” Sumire said. “It actually reminds me a lot of Ren.”

“Me?” Ren said.

Sumire nodded. “You’ve been helping people left, right, and center since I’ve met you.” Ren blushed some more.

Shinichi was thinking. “Oh, so that was you,” he said. Everyone was a little confused. “Forgive me. Some of my crew went out to film a story about a massage place saved by a business woman.”

“Huh?” Yuine said. “Well, I mean, some people from ‘Good Morning Japan’ came to interview me…”

Shinichi nodded. “I produce that show, as well as several others.”

“REALLY?!” Yuine said, excitedly. “Wait, you did mention Akechi being on your show… I guess I should have put two and two together…”

“It’s fine,” Shinichi said.

“You know,” Akane said, “your story reminds me a bit about how I got my job at the Wilton. Years ago, I worked at a different kitchen. Kitchens are usually stressful, but this one took it to a whole new level. It was really putting me through the ringer, but I didn’t want to give up.

One day, I learned that a cooking show I really liked was giving out applications. I decided to apply, and went to audition. However, I was so overworked that I did not perform well. It also didn’t help that my boss interrupted to yell at me for being here instead of at work, and subsequently fired me.

I thought that was it for me, but one of the judges was the head chef of the Wilton at the time, and he saw my potential and offered me a place in his kitchen. I took the offer, and was welcomed aboard. Through years of hard work and dedication, I grew to the position where I am today.”

“Wow,” Yuine said.

“That is a wonderful story,” Jun added.

Ren chuckled. “Conversely, it reminds me a lot of Sumire as well.”

“Huh?! Me?!” Sumire said, embarrassed.

Ren nodded. “You’re always working so hard, and you’re always so dedicated to what you do. It’s honestly really amazing.”

“I have to agree,” Akane said. “You are amazing, sweetie.”

Sumire looked at her mom and giggled “You too mom.”

Shinichi turned to Sasa. “So, Sasa.” Sasa looked at him. “You’re in college, right? What are you studying?”

“Oh, um, well…” Sasa said, nervously.

“She’s studying in Kyoto to become a historian, isn’t that right dear?” Yuine said.

“Well…” Sasa replied nervously. Everyone looked at her. Sasa sighed. “I’ve been thinking about changing majors…”

“What?” Yuine said.

“To what?” Jun asked.

Sasa was still a little unsure. “Well, I mean, I might not…” Everyone was still looking at her. “Ugh, this is just…all new…”

“I apologize for bringing this up,” Shinichi said.

“No no, it’s fine,” Sasa said. “This is kind of what this whole meeting is about; getting to know each other.” Sasa sighed. “I…I’ve been thinking about studying law.”

“Why might that be?” Akane asked.

Sasa stared at the table. “Because…of what happened to Ren.” Everyone was a little surprised. “To just…see her put through the ringer like that…”

Ren placed her hand on Sasa’s. Sasa looked up. “Hey,” Ren said. “I’ll be OK.”

Sasa smiled. She looked displeased again. “I mean, I know YOU’LL be alright. I’ve seen you weather things before. But…what about someone who ISN’T you? Someone who doesn't have your fortitude.” She sighed again. “I just need to think about it, you know.”

Jun nodded. “I understand.”

“Well, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck,” Shinichi said. “I will tell you this though: I wasn’t always interested in television production either.”

This shocked most of the table. “Really?” Sasa said.

“Oh, I had never heard this before,” Sumire said.

Shinichi nodded. “My reasons aren’t as pious as Sasa-chan’s however,” he explained. “In truth, I was studying to be an actor. However, there was one shoot where we as students had to put everything together, and through that, I started taking a liking to the production aspect of things. From there, the transition was very natural.”

Akane laughed. “Well, I’m glad you changed direction.”

Shinichi chuckled back. “I know you are.”

Everyone else was a little confused. Akane chuckled some more. “You see, because he became a producer, he came on to work for a cooking show. And on said show, the chef who brought me onto the staff of the Wilton was competing and wanted me as one of his assistants. And, well, that’s how we met.”

“Oh right,” Sumire said. “I remember you telling this to us a while ago.”

“Well, I will say, that is a lovely story,” Yuine said

“Indeed,” Jun agreed.

Akane nodded. “Well, how did you two meet?”

“Oh, well, it’s just a simple story…” Jun lamented.

“Oh, don’t be so modest,” Yuine told her husband.

Jun was blushing a little. “Well, you know, when you live in a small town, you tend to know everyone there. Yuine and I have just known each other since we were kids. We may have started dating in high school, but we’ve been friends since…forever, really.”

“Awww, that’s incredibly cute!” Akane exclaimed.

“I agree, wholeheartedly,” Shinichi said.

Yuine nodded. “And I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“Same,” Akane said, looking at her husband.

Ren looked over at Sumire and said “Same.” Sumire was caught off guard for a bit, then blushed, then smiled.

They finished their dinner, and it was a pleasant evening.

As the Amamiyas were leaving, the Yoshizawas were saying goodbye, when something crossed Sumire’s mind. “Oh shoot!” she said. “I don’t think I’ll have time to get food for breakfast tomorrow.”

Ren chuckled. “I think it’ll be alright.”

“Yeah, but-” Sumire interjected.

“We’re leaving tomorrow,” Jun said. “So we aren’t going to be doing much. But, if you’d like, we can invite you to have breakfast with us.”

Sumire was surprised. “Oh, uh, I don’t want to intrude…”

“Oh, you won’t be intruding, dear,” Yuine said. “We’ve loved spending time with you these past couple of days.”

Sumire thought about it. “Well…alright then.” She bowed. “Thank you for inviting me.”

Yuine slightly bowed back. “Thank YOU for taking care of our precious Ren.”

“Oh, uh well…” Sumire said, face as red as a beet. Ren’s face was also a bit red.

Yuinie giggled. “Well, we’ll see you then.” She turned to the parents. “Thank you for tonight.”

“Oh, of course,” Akane said. It was lovely having you over.” With that, the Amamiya’s left. Ren went with the rest of her family to their hotel to say their goodbyes for the evening, and then she headed back to Leblanc.

The next morning, Ren woke up, got herself ready, and went downstairs. Again, she saw Sumire waiting outside the door, and smirked. She opened the door, and saw that Sumire was carrying a large bag. “What’s this for?” Ren asked.

“Oh, well, I was thinking after we send your family off, I could get to practice,” Sumire said. “I do have a big meet coming up, you know.”

“Right,” Ren smiled.

Sumire glared at Ren. “I thought you were going to say something like ‘You didn’t need to show up this early.’”

“I was,” Ren said. “But then I realized that would be a fruitless effort. Because you would say something like ‘I know I don’t need to, but I really want to.’”

Sumire raised her eyebrow and said “Then you would say ‘Really, I’m fine.’”

“‘No, I inist,’” Ren said in Sumire’s voice. “‘I really want to do this!”

The two girls looked at each other for a moment and then laughed. “Come on,” Sumire said. “Let’s go meet your parents for breakfast.”

“I was just about to say the same thing,” Ren said.

“Hm hm, shut up,” Sumire said, gently shoving Ren and rolling her eyes. The two then set forth to meet Ren’s family for breakfast.

Breakfast was nice, if uneventful. After that, they went to the train station where Jun, Yuine, and Sasa were going to head back. “Sorry we couldn’t stay longer,” Jun said.

“We had a great time though,” Sasa said.

“Oo, maybe you should come visit us sometime,” Yuine said.

Ren smiled. “I’d like that.”

“Of course, the invitation extends to you as well, SUmire,” Yuine said.

“M-Me?!” Sumire said, embarrassed and caught off guard.

“Of course,” Jun said. “We’d love to have you over.”

Sumire’s face was still blushing. “Well…thank you.”

Jun nodded. “Well, we should get going then.” He picked up his bags. “Seeya kiddo.” He gave Ren a hug.

Once Jun was done, Yuine came in for a hug. “Bye sweetie. We’ll miss you.”

Once Yuine finished, Sasa came in for a hug. “Thanks,” she said.

“Thank you,” Ren replied. The sisters chuckled. They let go. Ren’s family got on the train, as Ren and Sumire waved goodbye at them. The train doors closed, Ren’s family waved back, the train departed, and they were off. Ren smiled.

“Well, that was fun,” Sumire said.

“Indeed,” Ren replied.

Sumire nodded. “Do you want me to walk you back?”

Ren pondered the question. “Well, I do want to talk to you, but I think we should stay here. I mean, there’s no point in you coming down to Yongen to only go up to Kichijoji soon after.”

“Right,” Sumire said. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Ren took a deep breath. “Thank you,” she said. Sumire was stunned. “Without you by my side these past few days, I don’t think I would have had the confidence I had. So, thank you.”

Sumire was stunned. She simply smiled and said “I’m sure you would have been fine. But it was really nice. Your family is full of incredible people, and I’m glad they like me as much as they do. So thank you.”

Ren smiled, but sighed. “This is sort of what I mean,” she said. Sumire was a little perplexed. “I know we’ve talked about this a little, and I’ve seen you improving a lot, but I still feel like sometimes you sell yourself a bit short. I can’t overstate how much you’ve helped me; not just these past few days, but, well, since we’ve met.”

Sumire was more stunned. Ren continued “Sumire, you’re an amazing person. You mean the world to me. I’m very grateful that we’re dating. I know I have issues of my own, but I’ve been working on them too. And you’ve been a tremendous help there too.”

Ren took Sumire’s hand. “You see the best things in me, and because of you, I’m starting to see them too. And I want to help you see the best things in you too. As your girlfriend.”

Sumire was completely awestruck. It was a bit overwhelming, but it was also everything she needed to hear. She knew she was lucky when Ren agreed to be her girlfriend, but this was a whole new level. She smiled, and cried. Ren panicked. “Oh, geez,” she said. “I didn’t mean-”

Sumire giggled. “Don’t worry Ren,” she said. “These are happy tears.” She wiped them away. “I’m glad I mean so much to you. And you mean so much to me too. I never thought I could feel like this, but you managed it. Heh heh.

You’re right in that I’ve improved, but you’re also right in that I can still improve me. However, I know I can do it with you by my side. So whether we’re fighting shadows as The Phantom Thieves, meeting with your parents, or achieving our dreams, I know we can do it, because we’re both amazing, and we both know it, and together, nothing can stop us.” Ren smiled ear-to-ear, and pulled Sumire into a hug. Sumire hugged back.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 7

The girls let go of each other. “Well, I should get going,” Sumire said. “I’ll see you later!” She walked away, waving goodbye. Ren waved at her until she couldn’t see her anymore. Soon after, Ren left herself.

Notes:

I honestly didn't think I had enough to work with with just the dinner alone, so I extended it with the other scenes. And I do love what I did, but it did turn out to be a long chapter because of it. Not that I think you dislike longer chapters. It's just, I'm always a little surprised by the length of my chapters. You'd think I'd stop being surprised, but it always gets me.

Secondly, I know it's a little jarring to have Sumire's mom be named Akane, when that's also Zenkichi's daughter's name, but I did start writing this before I knew a whole lot about Strikers, and I did get the name from another fan fic. Unfortunatly, the person who was writing it left their account and didn't finish the story, but for what it's worth it's still a good read. Here's a link to said story: https://archiveofourown.org/works/24695260/chapters/59683288

So, next chapter is going to get interesting. I won't say how, but I do hope you will understand, and I hope you will like it. I love it, and I think it will go well. But that's just me.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 106: Blindsided

Notes:

So, here's the deal. For reasons of not wanting to move too fast and exhaust my confidants too quickly, I am starting a mini-arc that will take up a chunk of the time, but not the rest of the time, while Futaba is recovering. I do wish to explain everything, but I also don't wish to spoil things upfront. So here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to explan everything in the end notes, and you can go there right away to get an explination. If you wish to remain unspoiled, then just read, and I hope you have a good time. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren was on her way back to Leblanc. These past few days have been a lot, but were worth it overall. However, now she was just looking for a moment to relax. The Phantom Thieves were still at war with Medjed, but she believed Morgana when he said Futaba would come around. Even if she didn’t, they still had time, and Ren wanted to rest accordingly.

However, when she entered, she found a strange sight. Sitting at the counter was an American girl who looked to be around her age. The girl looked at Ren, and Ren looked at her. She had long, brown hair, glasses, blue eyes, freckles, a light blue bow, a black choker, a white shirt with light blue frills, a light blue skirt, light blue knee-high socks, and black shoes. Ren wasn’t entirely sure, but she felt like she had seen her before. Still, both girls were surprised.

Sojiro walked from the kitchen back behind the counter. “Hm?” he grunted, noticing Ren. “Urgh! Well… I wasn’t expecting you here now…” Ren was confused. Sojiro sighed. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

Before Ren could say anything, the door opened behind her, and in walked Akechi. “Alright, I think-” He noticed Ren and stopped in his tracks. “Huh.”

“Sorry,” Sojiro let out meekly.

“Goro?” the girl asked. “What’s going on?”

“‘Goro’?” Ren asked.

Akechi looked bemused. He chuckled. “Well, I suppose that there’s nothing we can do now.” He looked over at the girl. “It’s OK. She’s with him,” indicating to Sojiro. The girl sighed with relief.

“Wait, no, I’m still confused,” Ren said.

“As you ought to be,” Akechi said.

“Akechi and her needed a place to hide out for a bit,” Sojiro explained. “What with his fans and all that.”

“O…K then?” Ren said, still a bit perplexed.

Akechi chuckled. “I’m afraid Amamiya-chan is going to need a bit more than that.”

“You think it’s alright?” the girl asked.

Akechi nodded gently. “Of course.”

The girl stood up as Ren turned back to her. She slightly bowed and then said “My name is Lena Minamoto.”

Akechi chuckled again. “She and I have been dating in secret.”

“OK,” Ren said. “Wait, WHAT?!”

Akechi chuckled once more. “I knew your reaction would be priceless.”

“When did this happen?” Ren asked.

“Well, that’s a bit of a complicated story…” Akechi replied.

“Basically,” Lena interrupted, “we met back in April, and became friends. And then a little while later, we started dating.”

“Forgive us,” Akechi said. “We’re being sparse on the details because, well, there’s a lot of personal stuff that we’d rather not get into now.”

Ren was still a bit surprised, but nodded and said “I understand.”

Akechi nodded. “Today is the first time in a while where the two of us could go out and spend some time together.”

“We message each other nightly,” Lena said, “but it’ll be nice to do something together in person.”

Ren smiled. “Yeah. I get it.”

“Oh my, Amamiya-san, Akechi said. “You sound like you’re speaking from experience. Are you by chance seeing someone?”

“Hm,” Ren chuckled. “Yeah.”

Akechi nodded. “Well, whoever they are, they sure are lucky.” Lena glared at Akechi. Akechi noticed this. “Ah. What I mean is, Amamiya-chan is a wonderful person.” Lena was still glaring. “Aw, come on, don’t be like that Lena. You know you’re amazing too.”

Lena smiled and chuckled too. “I know. I just wanted to hear you say it.”

Akechi was taken aback. “Hm, well, I guess you win that round.” He composed himself. “We should get going. I wish we could stay longer, but we’ve made plans, and I wish to stick to them.”

“But it was fun meeting you, Amamiya-chan,” Lena said, standing up and reaching her hand out.

Ren shook her hand. “Likewise.”

“Pardon me,” Akechi said, “but you two both go to Shujin, right?” This surprised the two girls. “You might see each other in the halls once school starts up again.”

Ren smiled. “Well, I’m looking forward to it.”

“Same,” Lena replied.

Akechi nodded. “Well, see you later!”

“Bye!” Lena said. The two left.

“Hm,” Sojiro grunted. “That was wild.”

“You’re telling me,” Ren said.

“So, why ARE you back so soon?” Sojiro asked.

“Oh, well,” Ren began, “I was just dropping my family off at the station. These past few days have been exhausting, so I was thinking of just taking a nap, or just passing the time in my room alone.”

Sojiro nodded. “Fair enough. I probably should have messaged you, but this kind of happened incidentally.”

“I get it,” Ren said. She stretched. “Well, I’m off to take that nap.”

“Sweet dreams,” Sojiro said. Ren waved lightly as she headed up the stairs.

Morgana saw her coming up the stairs. “Welcome back,” he greeted.

“Hey,” Ren said. She flopped into bed.

“What brings you back?” Morgana asked.

“I’m just tired,” Ren said. “Not bad tired. Just tired.”

“I see,” Morgana said. “Well, I can’t blame you. I mean, I’m in this cat body, and it loves taking naps whenever it can.”

Ren chuckled and rolled her eyes. “I don’t think that’s a trait unique to cats.” Morgana pouted. Ren smiled and scratched his neck. He started purring. “You’re perfect, just the way you are.”

“Nya ha,” Morgana chuckled. “Of course. Who do you think you’re talking to?”

Ren giggled. She yawned. “I’m just gonna take a nap and see where this goes, OK?” She got under the covers, closed her eyes, and fell back asleep.

“Well, when in Rome…” Morgana said. He curled up into a ball and fell asleep as well.

A little while later, the sound of her phone ringing woke Ren up. She answered it groggily. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s me,” Ryuji said back.

“Ryuji?” Ren wondered. Morgana yawned and started getting up.

“Yeah,” Ryuji answered. “Listen, something really weird is going on. I’m at the arcade down on Central Street, right? When suddenly, I hear this woman just start screamin’. I mean totally going ballistic. Anyways, I turn and I see that she’s yelling at this girl in my class.

It’s stuff like ‘Why are you here?’ and ‘We need to go home now’, but it’s not like usual anger. It…feels more like my dad in a way. Anyway, I felt like we should investigate this further. You know, see if there’s something we can do.”

Ren nodded. “Do you want me to call the others?”

“Well…” Ryuji said. “There’s another layer of complication. There’s someone trying to mediate between them, and it’s that boy detective Akechi.” Ren got even more alerted. “If he sees all of us, he might get suspicious. So that’s why I thought to just call you.”

Ren was curious. “Hey, quick question: Is this classmate of yours America?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji  answered. “How’d you know?

“I’ll explain later. You did the right thing,” Ren said. “I’ll be on my way.” She hung up the phone and  got up.

“What’s going on?” Morgana asked.

“I’ll explain on the way,” Ren said. “For now, we have to go.” Morgana sensed the urgency in Ren’s voice, and hoped in her bag. The two left quickly to head down to Central Street. As promised, Ren explained to Morgana what seemed to be happening.

However, once they got to Central Street, they were too late. They saw Lena being walked away in the grip of a woman with black hair in a long braid with frayed edges, piercing red eyes, red earrings, an orange shirt, a lavender skirt, and black shoes. “Dammit!” Ren said to herself.

“Nyeh,” Morgana said. “It’s not over.” He jumped out. “I’ll follow them to see if things are alright, and if there’s anything I can do. Then meet you back here.” Ren nodded, and Morgana followed them.

Ryuji and Akechi ran out of the arcade, but stopped, knowing there was nothing they could do. “Augh!” Ryuji screamed, punching the wall. Akechi looked sad. Ryuji turned to Akechi. He looked uneasy. “Listen… I’m… sorry.”

“Huh?” Akechi said. “Oh, I don’t mind. You were just trying to help, right?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji said, still nervous.

Ren walked up to the two of them. “Oh. It's you again,” Akechi said. “What a surprise.”

“Wait, ‘again’?” Ryuji asked, confused.

Ren pointed to Ryuji. “He actually called me over here.”

“Oh, I see,” Akechi said. He pondered for a bit. “This is a bit off topic, but is he…?”

“Huh?” Ren said. She realized what he was asking. “Oh, no.”

“Very well then,” Akechi said.

“So, what’s going on?” Ren asked. “Ryuji here called me because things seemed…bad.”

“Well, he’s not wrong, heh heh,” Akechi said, nervously laughing. He frowned. He sighed. “Well, I suppose the truth is unavoidable here.” He glanced at Ryuji. He looked back at Ren. “How much do you trust him?” Ryuji gave a puzzled look. “Sorry, it’s just... This is a very personal matter.”

“I trust him wholeheartedly,” Ren answered.

“Very well then,” Akechi said. He took a deep breath. “So, as I’ve told Ren, Lena is my secret girlfriend.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said. “Sorry, sorry,” he said, getting quieter.

Akechi chuckled briefly. “It’s fine.” He went back to addressing them both. “Of course, part of the reason it was secret is my popularity, but part of it, as you can tell by now, is her mother. Well, let’s back up a little. Lena is an exchange student. So, the woman she was being carried away by was her host mother.”

“Ah,” Ren said.

“She and I actually have a history,” Akechi continued. “I…have told you that I haven’t had the most ideal life before. What happened was my father abandoned me and my mother. After years of ridicule, my mother died. Lena’s mother actually runs the orphanage that took me in.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“I…had no idea,” Ryuji said.

“I tend to keep it a secret,” Akechi said. He took another breath. “My time at the orphanage was well. I mean, as well as it could be at least. And it was in no small part because of Minamoto-san. And even though I didn’t get adopted, I still managed to stand on my own two feet after a while.

However, around two years ago, something terrible happened. A child was kidnapped from the orphanage, and was subsequently murdered.”

“Holy shit, Ryuji exclaimed in horror.

“Of course, wanting to pay Minamoto back, I found and apprehended the bastard that did it,” Akechi explained. “However, she hasn’t been the same since. I’ve tried reaching out to her several times, but she always just brushes me off. One of those days when I went to see her, she wasn’t home. However, I met Lena. We soon got to chatting. However, when her mom came home, she was very upset, to say the least. She threatened to call the police on me if I ever came over again. However, Lena and I managed to exchange phone numbers, and we’ve been in contact since. But I feel like that might come to an end after all.”

“Woah,” Ryuji said.

“We’re so sorry,” Ren said.

“You have nothing to apologize for,” Akechi said.

“Is there anything we can do to help?” Ren asked.

Akechi was bemused. “Um, don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m not able to do much. So I’m not sure what you can do.” He sighed. “Ha ha, I must seem pathetic.”

“Akechi…” Ren said.

“It’s fine,” Akechi responded. “It’s funny. When I’m usually this lost, I try to calm down and think about her. ‘What would Tamako Minamoto do?’ I’d wonder.

“Match found,” Ren’s phone said. Ryuji and Ren panicked.

“What was that?” Akechi asked.

Luckily, Ren could think on her feet. “Sorry, that must have been my phone,” she explained. “As you know, I’m not native to Tokyo. So, I have a navigation app to help me around. It must have just bumped around and hit something.”

“Oh, I see,” Akechi said, stunned by the banality of the explanation, especially compared to the conversation they were having. “Well, in any case, you know everything now. I hope you understand why I wished to keep it private.”

“Yeah, I get it,” Ryuji said.

“Well, I wish you the best anyway,” Ren said.

Akechi nodded. “Thank you.” He thought about it. “I think there may be something I can do. But I need to go over a few things first. If you don’t mind.” Ren stepped out of the way, and Akechi left.

“That was a lot,” Ryuji said. Ren nodded. “But more importantly, did your phone do what I think it did?”

Ren got out her phone. Sure enough, the Metaverse app opened to the sound of Tamako Minamoto’s name. “Yeah. And the location isn’t Mementos either.”

Ryuji was shocked. “Which means-”

Ren nodded. “She has a palace.” They both understood the gravity of the situation. “I’m gonna message everyone quick.” She went to the Phantom Thieves Group Chat.

Ren: Emergency Meeting!

Ren: Meet us at the diner on Central Street.

Makoto: What’s going on?

Ren: Ryuji and I found another Palace.

Sumire: WHAT?!

Yusuke: My word!

Ann: We’re on our way!

Jose: We’ll be there soon.

Ren: Thanks.

Meanwhile, Tamako was dragging Lena home. “Ugh, ow, ugh,” Lena kept groaning.

“Just be quiet,” Tamako said.

“But…” Lena said. “You’re hurting me.”

Tamako turned toward her sharply. “YOU told me you were at MUSIC camp with some Music Club students!” Lena was on the verge of tears. Tamako stared her down. “Well?!”

‘Um..” Lena said. “It…got out early…?”

“So, you thought you could just do whatever you wanted, huh?!” Tamako snapped back. “And to think I let you go because you were behaving so well. I TOLD you I would pick you up. I TOLD you to call before you left. I TOLD you not to go out without MY permission! And yet, I find you out and about with some boy.” She grunted. She continued dragging Lena back to their house.

“Gr,” Lena struggled. “Why won’t you let me do anything?”

“Because I’M supposed to be taking CARE OF YOU!” Tamako shouted. “Let’s GO!” They continued on.

Meanwhile, Morgana was tailing them “Poor thing.” He grew serious. “We’ll help no matter what!” Morgan kept following them.

At the diner, the rest of the Phantom Thieves were meeting and discussing what was happening. “WHAT?!” Makoto exclaimed in shock and horror.

“Calm down!” Ann said. “But, yeah, what?!”

“That’s…a lot…” Sumire said, surprised.

“So, what do we do?” Jose asked.

“Well, I think it’s obvious,” Ryuji said. “We do our usual thing and change their heart.”

“Hold on,” Yusuke said. “While I believe we should, aren’t we forgetting Akechi? If we change her heart, he might figure out it’s us. Or at least you two.”

“Riiiight,” Ryuji said. “But…STILL!”

“I’m worried about Akechi too,” Makoto admitted. “He’s not ‘Japan’s Second Detective Prince’ for no reason. He’s incredibly smart and talented. And he does have an open rivalry with us.”

“Well, what about Eris?” Sumire countered. “I mean, if we don’t do something, she might send someone else to do it. …And we know what happens when she does.”

The group was stunned. “Right…Eris…” Makoto said.

“Are we truy stuck between saving someone and exposing our identities to our enemy?” Yusuke pondered.

“Well…” Jose said. “Maybe not.” The group was intrigued. “I mean, if we post a message on the Phansite with the information, we could just say that we just offered the information and the ‘Phantom Thieves’ took care of the request.”

Ann giggled. “Brilliant idea Jose!”

“I like it,” Makoto said. “The only issue is the account could get traced back to a person.”

“Well, I can do it,” Ren said. “He’s told me and Ryuji, and out of the two of us, I think I can get away with it more.”

“Yeah, plus I don’t actually have an account,” Ryuji said.

“Why not?” Yusuke asked.

“Because when I first went to make an account,” Ryuji began, “it was to correct someone about something Phantom Thieves related, but then I realized I’d be telling people about the Phantom Thieves, and decided not to try again in fear of letting something slip.”

“You know what?” Yusuke said. “That is a remarkable amount of restraint for you.”

“Well, it’s easier when I have to type in somethin’,” Ryuji explained.

Ann giggled. “True enough.”

“So, I’ll make the post,” Ren said. She clicked away at her phone. “And there. Now all we have to do is wait for Morgana.”

“Right, you did say he followed the Minamoto’s,” Jose said.

“What should we do in the meantime?” Ann asked.

A stomach growled. “Forgive me,” Yusuke said. “It has been a bit since I’ve eaten last.”

Another stomach growled. “Sorry,” Sumire said. “I’ve been at practice all day.”

“I think eating would be a good idea,” Ren said. They decided to place their orders and wait.

Once Tamako and Lena got back home, Tamako forced Lena into the house, walked in, and locked the door behind her. “Now, go to your room!” Tamako commanded. “I’ll call you when dinner is ready. And if I hear so much as a PEEP from your room, I will take you with me wherever I go for the rest of the year.”

“But-” Lena protested, tears in her eyes.

“Unless you want to go back to America!” Tamako shot back. Lena was mortified. She could do nothing. Silently, she sulked to her room.

She placed her face on her pillow and sobbed as quietly as she could. She wanted to just cry until she fell asleep, but she knew that Tamako would yell at her for falling asleep without eating dinner. This was not how she envisioned studying abroad at all. “What am I going to do?”

“Hm hm hm hm hm,” chuckled a voice. Lena jolted up to see Eris sitting at her desk chair. “Well, this is interesting.” Lena was stunned, but couldn’t say anything, due to Tamako’s threats from earlier. “Oh, don’t worry sweetie,” Eris said. “She can’t hear us now.”

Lena wasn’t sure about that, but decided to take the chance anyway. “Who…who are you?”

Eris chuckled. “I am someone who is willing to help. You want an escape from all of this, correct? Freed from this monster’s grasp. I can help you break free.”

“How?” Lena wondered.

Eris took out her apple. “All you need to do is take a bite, and you can free yourself.”

Lena was perplexed by this. This magic being was promising her freedom from this nightmare. Lena was always a bit taken in with the fantastical. And yet, something felt off about this. “Why are you helping me?”

“It’s my job to help others,” Eris said. Lena still wasn’t sure. She felt the whimsy in Eris’s voice, but also a hint of malice. “Well?”

Lena then thought to ask a question. “Are you going to make me?”

Eris was baffled. “You really want to keep living like this?”

“Well, no…” Lena answered.

“Then take it,” Eris said. “It’s your only means of escape.”

Lena stood still. “‘Only’, huh?” Eris was confused. “Not gonna lie, you’re starting to sound a little like her.”

Eris was still perplexed. “I see… Are you rejecting my offer then?”

“I don’t know…” Lena said. “I mean, I want this to end, but…something inside me is telling me not to trust you.”

“That’s just your fear,” Eris assured her. “With one bite, you can quiet that.”

Lena was nonplussed. “Why would I want to?” she asked, taking Eris by surprise. “I mean, my fear is a part of me. And I trust me, because it’s, well, me. But I don’t even know your name. Or how you got in here. Or how you’re managing to silence all of this.”

“I thought you wanted to believe in magic,” Eris countered.

“At what cost though?” Lena retorted.

“Is there a cost too high?” Eris wondered.

Lena nodded. “As much as I want to get out of all of this, I want to do it in a way I can be proud of.”

“Look at what your pride has gotten you so far!” Eris screamed. “You’re trapped. Forced by a monster to do as she says. Your pride is only slowing you down. If you wish to be free, you must abandon that foolish notion.”

Lena had her answer. “So, you do wish for me to give up on what makes me me. Well I won’t let you!”

“Hm,” Eris said. “It seems we’re at an impasse.”

“On that we can agree,” Lena said.

Eris put her apple away and drew her rapier. “Well then.” She stood up.

Lena was scared. This imposing figure was standing before her, and ready to strike. Just then, they heard a strange sound. “Bonk!” The two were confused. “Bonk! Bonk!” they heard again. They turned to the window to see Morgana pawing at the window. “A kitty?” Lena wondered.

“YOU!” Eris screamed. Morgana hissed at her. Lena wasn’t sure what was going on, but if that cat was not friendly toward this magical figure, then maybe it was on her side.

Lena rushed to the window to open it.. “MEOW!” hissed Morgana as he jumped to try and scratch Eris.

However, Eris managed to catch him, by letting go of her rapier to free up her hands. “I should have known you lot were hot on my heels.” She threw Morgana towards the wall the bed was on, but Lena jumped to catch him. “Pah! You’re both weak!” Eris exclaimed. “However, I am too at the moment.” Lena and Morgana found that strange. “Hm hm hm. See, there is something strange about this palace. For some reason, you were the only person I could target.” She pointed at Lena. “And yet, you managed to stand firm. Seeing as how I’m at a loss too, I will offer you this: mausoleum.” Eris then disappears as quickly and mysteriously as she had appeared.

Lea sat up in confusion over what just happened. She looked at Morgana. “Thanks Mr. Kitty.”

“I am NOT a-” Morgana began. However, Lena began scratching his ears, and he started purring.

Lena chuckled and stopped. “So, what brings you here, Mr. Kitty?”

“Well, after seeing what happened, I followed you to…” Morgana began. “Wait… You can’t understand me.”

Lena giggled. “You sure are a chatty kitty.”

“Ugh, this is not ideal,” Morgana said.

“Do you have an owner?” Lena wondered. “If not, I’d love to keep you, but I don’t think my mom would let me. I can search lost cats online to see if I can find anything…” Lena got out her phone.

“Ugh, that’s not gonna work,” Morgana said. “Ren’s expecting me back.” He saw Lena tapping away at her phone, when he got an idea. “That’s it!” He quickly grabbed her phone out of her hands. Lena was surprised. He began mimicking speaking into the speaker and then listening into the receiver.

Lena was befuddled about the gesture for a moment, but then she got it. “Do…you know your owner’s number?” Morgana nodded. Lena was perplexed that this cat seemed to know their owner’s number, and also managed to answer her question. She then remembered that the mystical figure seemed to have a history with this cat. “You’re…not a normal kitty, aren you?” Morgana shook his head. Lena chuckled. “Well then, let’s figure out a way to call your owner. Lena thought about it for a second. She then came up with an idea.

She went over to her desk and sat down. Morgana followed her. She got out a notebook, turned to a blank page, and then drew a phone pad configuration on it. “Now, you just point to the numbers, and I will dial it.” Morgana nodded. He did as instructed, and Lena made the call.

Meanwhile, the others were just about finished eating. “Hey, uh, should we check to see if Morgana is back?” Sumire wondered.

Just then, Ren’s phone rang. She looked and it was an unknown number, but decided to answer it anyway. “Hello?”

“Um, this is going to sound strange,” Lena said on the other end. “But, um, your cat told me to dial this number.”

Ren was hit with what was going on. “Lena?”

Lena was surprised. “Who is this?”

Ren lightly giggled. “This is Ren. We met this morning, remember?”

“Oh!” Lena said. “Yeah, now I remember. Um, I can’t exactly leave my house. But I can tell you where I live so you can come pick him up.”

“Sounds great,” Ren said.

“Great,” Lena said. “Um, and maybe you can explain some of the weird stuff that’s going on too.”

“Like what?” Ren asked.

“Well, um, there was this strange figure offering me an apple to grant me freedom?” Lena said, still taken aback by the absurdity of the situation.

Ren was alarmed. “You didn’t eat it, did you?”

“No, no,” Lena answered.

“Good,” Ren said. She glanced at her fellow thieves. “Listen, I gotta call you back, but uh, I’ll explain what I can.”

“Very well,” Lena said. Ren hung up.

“What was that about?” Ann asked.

“Morgana,” Ren answered. “And Eris.” The table was stunned.

“We should get going then,” Makoto said. They paid their bill and left. Outside the restaurant, Ren explained the phone call. “Goodness!” Makoto exclaimed.

“How much should we share?” Jose wondered.

“I don’t know how we can’t say everything,” Ryuji posited.

“Well, I haven’t told Naoko anything,” Makoto said.

“I think we have to at least tip our hand somewhat,” Sumire said. “I mean, what if Eris targets her again.”

Makoto sighed. “Fair enough.”

“Are you ready?” Ren asked. They nodded. Ren went into her call history and called the number that called her.

Lena answered. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Ren,” she replied.

Lena was a bit surprised. She smiled. “Welcome back.”

“Can you tell me where you live?” Ren asked.

“Oh, sure,” Lena answered. She told Ren, who relayed the information to her team, who then searched for directions. They started heading out.

“Thanks,” Ren said. “Now, to explain what’s going on. That figure you met is named Eris. She is a being that sews discourse in order to cause chaos to meet her ends. My team and I are on a mission to stop her. We will take care of this. Just make sure you don’t bite that apple, whatever you do.”

“Got it!” Lena said. She looked over at Morgana. “Um, does your team include Mr. Kitty here?”

Ren chuckled. “Yup. It includes ‘Mr. Kitty’ too.”

“Hey!” Morgana shouted. “I heard that.

Ren chuckled again. “His name is Morgana.”

“Mogana, huh?” Lena said. She scratched his chin. “Thank you, Morgana.”

“We’ll be there soon,” Ren assured her, and hung up.

Soon enough, they arrived at the address. Ren messaged Lena.

Ren: We’re here.

(Number): ??

Ren: This is Ren.

(Number): Oh, right.

Lena looked up. “Your friends are here.” Morgana nodded, and jumped out the window.

He soon met the others on the street. “Man, that was something.”

Ren smiled. “Good job, Morgana.”

“Should we tell him what’s goin’ on?” Ryuji asked.

“I think we have to,” Jose answered. Ren nodded. They informed Morgana of everything.

“Woah,” Morgana said, taking it all in. “Well, I think I get what Eris meant now.”

“Oh yeah,” Ann said. “What happened with Eris?”

“Well…” Morgana said. He explained his perspective.

“Holy shit,” Ryuji said.

“So, Eris doesn’t have any other option but her,” Yusuke pondered. “How curious.”

“Curious or not, I think we should continue to help,” Sumire said.

“I think we’re in too deep to not,” Ann said.

“Plus, it seems like we have everything we need to get started,” Jose said.

“He’s right,” Morgana said. “Eris did give me the keyword.”

Ren thought about it. “Well, we should at least investigate. Are you all with me?” They all nodded. Ren nodded back. She got out her phone and loaded up the Metaverse app. “Tamako Minamoto. Tamako Minamoto’s house. Mausoleum.”

“Navigating,” the phone said. They lipped into the metaverse.

Meanwhile, Lena was looking at her phone. “I don’t remember installing this app. It looks weird. Did she install it?” The world started to shift around her. “Huh? AHHHHHHHH!”

The Phantom Thieves arrived. It was dark and foggy, with the moon providing the majority of the light. Right in front of them was an impressive stone and marble building, with two fire lamps on either side of the door. “Here we are,” Ren said.

“Um, is anyone else creeped out?” Makoto wondered.

“Look!” Yusuke said, not answering the question. He pointed to the inscription above the door. It read “Minamoto Family Mausoleum.” There was a sign under the inscription that read “Under Construction.” “What do you suppose that means?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, there’s only one way to find out,” Ryuji said. 

Ren nodded. “Let’s head in.”

They started to go in, but they heard a shrill “WHAT'S GOING ON?!”

They turned to see Lena panicking. “Lena?!” Ryuji shouted.

“That’s Lena?” Ann said.

“What’s she doing here?” Ren wondered.

Lena noticed the thieves. “Who…Who are you?!” she shouted.

“Well, I guess there’s no point in hiding anything anymore,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. The group walked over to Lena. “Uh, hi. It’s me.”

Lena was perplexed. “Ren?”

“Yup,” Ren replied.

“And I’m Morgana!” Morgana said.

Lena looked down at him. “You’re Morgana?” Morgana nodded. Lena was confused. “I’m sorry. I’m still lost.”

“Well, that’s to be expected,” Ren said. “Remember how I told you the goal of my group was to stop Eris?” Lena nodded. “Well, this is how we do it.”

Lena was still confused. “What is all of this?”

“Well, that’s a bit complicated,” Ren said. “I will try to explain this as best I can, as quickly as I can. So, let’s just put the tiger on the table right away. Put bluntly, we are The PhantomThieves.”

Lena was aghast. “Wait, THE Phantom Thieves?!”

Ren nodded. “Yeah. We go around stealing the hearts of people in order to change their hearts. The way we do it is by infiltrating this place. This place is the Metaverse. It’s essentially a world connected to our world by our cognition. For example, this is the world created by your host mother’s cognition.”

“This…place…” Lena wondered. She looked around. “It’s so dark and dreary.” She turned back to Ren. “So, how do you get here?”

“We use a magical phone app,” Ren explained.

Lena got out her phone and showed it to them. “You mean this one?”

The thieves were surprised. “She has the app.”

“I figured as much,” Ren said.

“What does this mean?” Lena wondered.

Ren got serious. “It means that you have the potential to be a Phantom Thief.” Lena was surprised. “But you don’t have to. I mean, you’re dating Akechi, right? I doubt he’d be pleased about this.”

Lena looked around. She was curious as to why her host mother saw the world like this. She was worried about how sad it felt. She looked at Ren again. “Um, you don’t kill anyone, right?”

Ren nodded. “That’s not our style.”

Lena steeled herself. “Then, I wish to help you. At least here.”

The thieves were surprised. “Very well then,” Ren replied. The others were shocked by this decision. “However, you have to stick close to us. This world is full of being called shadows that will attack at any time. We can hold our own, but you’re a sitting duck.”

Lena nodded. “I understand.” The thieves looked at each other, nodded, and encircled her.

“Alright then,” Ren said. “Let’s see what we can find.” The thieves approached the steps to get in.

Before they could step foot on the first step however, the door opened. Standing in the doorway was Tamako. She was wearing a gray trench coat and holding a lantern in her hand. “HALT!” she barked. “Trespassers are forbidden from entering!”

Everyone was stunned. “Mom?” Lena said.

Tamako noticed Lena in the crowd. “Lena! What are you doing?! Get inside now!”

“Why?” Lena asked.

“Why?” Tamako repeated. “WHY?! These people are DANGEROUS! You don’t know what they’re going to do! It’s safe in here!”

“Why do you say that?” Lena inquired. “Why is this place so cold?”

“Because the world is cold,” Tamako answered. “The sooner you learn that, the sooner you will realize what I’m doing is right.”

“It doesn’t have to be,” Lena said. “The world isn’t always cold.”

“What do you know?!” Tamako sniped. “You’re just a child!” Shadows appeared outside of the mausoleum. “You never listen. Hm. I guess that’s how it has to be. Seize her, and toss out the rest!” The shadows began to attack, and the Phantom Thieves began fighting back.

Meanwhile, Lena noticed something in her host mother’s expression: Pain. She had always felt something off before, but could never quite pinpoint it. But now, it was clear. “Heh,” Lena said. “I get it now. You’re afraid.”

“I’m not afraid!” Tamako shouted. “The world out there is full of danger and darkness! I’m simply trying to protect you! Now get inside!”

Lena shook her head. “You don’t get it. These people here? They barely know me. And yet, they’re willing to help me. And Goro. He’s busy a lot, but always finds the time to try and make me smile.” She looked up. “There is light in this world. And if you can’t see it, then I will show you!”

“My My My,” a voice in Lena’s head spoke. Lena started to struggle. “It appears you’re starting to see what is really happening. You’ve noticed the monsters you wish to fight aren’t the vicious looking beasts you see. The real monsters hide behind a facade of beauty. But you know better now. Please, show them what true beauty is.”

A mask appeared on Lena. It was a black mask that looked like the folded down section of a knight’s helmet, with three slots on each side for eyes, and two rose petals on each end.. “I will,” Lena said. She started tearing off her mask. When it came off, blood spouted out. “Belle-Rose!” There was a burst of energy around her. Once it settled, everyone else saw Lena’s Phantom Thief attire, which was black sleeveless dress, with pink edges on the dress, a yellow outline around the bottom section of her torso, a pink heart on the neck, a pink heart on her hip, and more rose petal decorations where the sleeves would be. She had black gloves, with yellow bands at the sleeve along with more rose petals. She also had black knee-high boots, with a yellow collar, upside down hearts at the knees, and more rose petals in the shape of wings. Her hair was also tied in a ponytail by a red bow.

Above her was her Persona, Belle-Rosa. She had the hue of a pink rose, with long brown hair. She had striking yellow eyes, with deep pink eyelashes, and deep pink lipstick on her lips. Coming out of her hair were thorns, which also wrapped around her neck, and her right leg. She had a rose on the top of her head, and she was holding a rose coming off of a vine on her right arm. She was wearing a similar black dress, but the yellow outline outlined both the top and bottom of her torso, and on the skirt part was a pattern of vines and mirrors with yellow handles. She had a rose-colored and rose-shaped petticoat under her skirt. She also carried a magenta scarf.

The others were in awe. Lena looked at Tamako. “Don’t you worry!”

“Tch!” Tamako scoffed. “If you wish to be like that, I will let you do what you will. But when things get tough, don’t come crying to me, because I  TOLD YOU SO!” She closed the door on the mausoleum, and walked further in.

Lena smiled. “You'll see.” Armed with her weapons, a naginata and a crossbow, she helps the other thieves fight off the surrounding shadows.

“Woah!” Ryuji said.

“I’m impressed,” Makoto added.

“Eh heh,” Lena laughed nervously.

Sumire chuckled. “I think you’ll make a great addition to the team.”

“You think?” Lena said.

“100%,” Sumire replied. They both giggled.

“Well then, let’s continue,” Lena said. She went up the steps, but ran out of energy before being able to open the door; propping herself up on the building. She was breathing heavily.

“Woah there!” Ann said.

“Perhaps we should call it here for today,” Yusuke said.

“No!” Lena protected. “I’ll be fine.”

“Are you sure?” Morgana said. “Awakening to your persona really takes the wind out of your sails.”

“But, if we don’t,” Lena said, “my mom is going to punish me for what I said to her.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Jose said. “The person in the real world doesn’t remember the actions on this side.”

“Are you sure?” Lena asked.

“Yeah, you’ll be alright, Ren said. “Besides, I think she’d punish you more if you weren’t in your room.”

Lena nodded. “Yeah. She would.”

“Well then, let’s call it here then,” Ren said. “We should regroup, and come up with a plan.” Everyone else nodded, and they all left.

Back in the real world, the Phantom Thieves and Lena were outside the Minamoto household. “How are you holding up, Lena?” Ren asked.

Lena was breathing heavily, but she said. “I think I’ll be fine.”

“Do you think you can get back to your room without your mom noticing?” Ryuji asked.

Lena nodded. “I believe so. I’ve done it before.”

“Alright then,” Ren said. “Let’s exchange contact information, and we’ll message you once we figure out our next move.” Lena nodded, and they exchanged information. “Alright then.” They put their phone away. “See ya!” Ren said. She and the others headed out. Lena waved goodbye, and then stealthy climbed back up to her room. She smiled.

“LENA!” Tamako called out. “DINNER’S READY!”

“Coming!” Lena said. She went downstairs to eat with her mom, knowing that soon something beautiful was going to happen.

Notes:

So, to explain all of this. Lena Minamoto is a character created by Lenachan3ko, who kindly let me borrow her OC for this, and essentially gave me carte blanche on how to proceed. The general idea of the story is the same, but Lenachan is making her own story (which is a bit slow going for her own personal reasons, but it's still interesting) which differs from mine straight out the gate because Lena is introduced earlier than now. Also, in her story, don't think she's dating Akechi at this point. I am tempted to make another side-story to fill in the blanks on that front, but we'll see. There are going to be some other differences as well going forward.

Of course, I wasn't expecting to do something like this when I first started out, but I do find it enjoyable and fun, so I reached out. I did have to kind of work things so they'd fit, but I think it turned out alright. I do hope you enjoy. I know OCs aren't everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine, and I've introduced a fair amount so far in this story, and I haven't heard any complaints. Anyways, enjoy.

Link to Lenachan's story: https://archiveofourown.org/works/38177755/chapters/95379301

Chapter 107: Tamako's Palace

Notes:

First off, a warning. This chapter talks about death and gets REALLY depressing. The characters are also aware of this, and will prepare themselves. Just brace yourself.

Second, in a jarring shift of tone, I found my first big continuity error. So, I had written the chapter where Ren, Sumire, and Ren's family meet the others at Penguin Sniper as the first time they went to Penguin Sniper, but I had forgotten they had been there previously. I'm not sure how major this is, since it hasn't been brought up in the comments, and also the point is to get the two groups to meet, so it doesn't really matter if it's their first time or not. But if you feel like I should rewrite it, I guess I will. I don't think it'll take too long, but I'm of the opinion of "it's out there now, if I keep going back and correcting things, I'll be there forever."

Third, I maybe should have mentioned this last time when introducing Lena, but her persona is based on Belle from Beauty and The Beast. You probably could hav guessed that, but I still should have said something.

Anyways, enjoy. Well, as much as you can. Because again, it's a bit depressing.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The Phantom Thieves arrived at Leblanc, much to Sojiro’s surprise. “What the?” they shuffled in and started sitting down. “Wh- Where did you go? Why are you all here?”

“It’s complicated…” Ren said. “But in short, we found another palace.”

“Huh?!” Sojiro wondered. “I’m lost.”

“Trust me Boss,” Makoto said, “after everything that happened, I think we all are.”

Sojiro looked over then. He sighed. “Alright. It seems like you have a lot to discuss. You want me to make you somethin’ to eat?”

“Always,” Yusuke said.

“Hm,” Sojiro nodded. “Alright then.”

“Do you want help?” Ren offered.

“I got it,” he said, preparing to cook.

Ren sighed. “Alright then. Thanks.” She turned to her team. “Alright then. Today went a little fast, so let’s review what we know.” The Phantom Thieves nodded, and started cataloging the day’s events.

Once they finished, Ren nodded. “OK, now that we’re all clear on what’s going on, what should we do next?”

“Uhhhh,” Ryuji said. Everyone looked at him. “Well, I mean, I know we just blitzed a palace, but I think we should blitz this one too.”

Makoto nodded. “I agree.”

“Same actually,” Ren said.

“What makes you say that?” Ann asked.

“Well, I mean, Lena’s in a pretty bad spot,” Ryuji explained. “I want to get her out of it as soon as possible.”

Makoto was a little embarrassed. “My reason is not quite so heroic. But we’re still dealing with Medjed, right? I figure if we can free Lena, we could have another person thinking over ways to stop Medjed.”

“True,” Ren said. “However, I don’t think we have much of a choice.” Everyone else was shocked. “Hear me out: Morgana said that Eris told Lena that she was the only person she could target.”

Morgana nodded. “Yeah, that is pretty weird.”

“Do you think it means something?” Sumire wondered.

“Well, maybe,” Ren said. “Eris is the embodiment of chaos, right? Well, whenever we’ve met, she’s said some things that seemed a bit weird.”

“Like what?” Jose said.

“Well,” Ren began answering, “it comes down to the idea that maybe, just maybe, Eris can somehow manipulate time. I don’t know how, and I’m not even sure myself, but just some of the things she’s said give me that impression.”

“So, why does that matter?” Ryuji asked.

“I think I get it,” Makoto said. “If she can bend time, she could simply strike when someone else resented Tamako so strongly that they’d be willing to take her bargain.”

“Yeah, it does seem a bit odd that Lena is the only one who seems to be under Tamako’s control,” Ann said. “I mean, usually people with palaces tend to affect more people.”

Yusuke nodded. “And as for the only exception we’ve seen so far, Futaba, her palace was still imposing. By comparison, Tamako’s palace seems small, don’t you think?”

“Well, remember,” Jose said, “there was a sign there that said ‘Under Construction’.”

“True,” Yusuke replied. “Perhaps we should do it quickly simply to keep the palace from expanding.”

“But how and when will it expand?” Ryuji asked.

“That’s the thing,” Ren said. “I’m not sure it will.” Everyone looked at her in shock. “What I fear is that because even Eris couldn’t find anyone else, something might happen if we don’t act.”

“Oh my,” Sumire said.

“Any ideas on what?” Morgana asked.

Ren was a bit hesitant. “I’m not sure, but Akechi did mention that he might be able to do something.”

“You don’t think…?” Makoto worried.

“I can’t be sure,” Ren answered. “I don’t WANT to think so. But whether it is Akechi or not, I think we need to go through this palace as fast as possible.”

Everyone looked worried. Morgana noticed this, and said “Well, if anyone can do it, we can! After all, we’re the Phantom Thieves!”

Sumire giggled. “You’re right, Morgana-senpai!”

Sojiro started bringing out their food. “Here ya go.”

“Thank you!” they all said. They started eating.

“Say, um, I couldn’t help but hear some of your conversation,” Sojiro said. “Did I hear the name ‘Tamako Minamoto’?”

The thieves were stunned. “Uhhhh, yeah?” Ann answered.

“Hm,” Sojiro said. “So, she’s still suffering, huh.”

“You…know her?” Ryuji asked.

Sojiro nodded. “She’s the wife of an old friend of mine. I told you before that I used to work for the government. Well, Daiki Minamoto was a Diet Member who was incredibly popular. He also had some big ideas to change Japan. Everyone said he was on track to becoming Prime Minister.” Ren gasped in horror. “I take it by your reaction, you know where this story is going.” Ren nodded. Sojiro sighed. “He was assassinated. And they never did catch the killer.”

“How tragic,” Makoto said.

Sojiro nodded. “I’ve tried keeping in contact with her, but…with everything that happened with Wakaba and Futaba, I guess all of that got lost in the shuffle.” He sighed again. “I feel so pathetic.”

Ren reached over and placed a hand on him. “Don’t worry. We’ve got this.”

Sojiro smiled. “Thanks.” The thieves continued eating.

Once they finished eating, Ann said “Well, that hit the spot.”

“Agreed,” Yusuke said.

“Well, we know what the plan is, right?” Ryuji asked. “Should we just head out?”

“Hold up,” Makoto said. “We should inform Lena of the plan.”

“Oh, right,” Ryuji replied.

“I got it,” Ren said. She got out her phone.

Ren: Hey, just to let you know, our plan is to steal the treasure as fast as possible.

Ren: So that means we’re going in full force tomorrow.

Ren: Do you have any objections?

Lena: Not really.

Lena: I mean, it’s not like I’m going anywhere anytime soon.

Lena: But what do you mean by “treasure”?

Ren: Oh, right.

Ren: Basically, a person’s desire is their treasure, and by stealing it, we change their heart.

Lena: Oh, I think I get it.

Ren: If you’re still unsure, don’t worry. It’ll make sense once we do it.

Lena: OK then! See you all tomorrow.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone down. “OK. Are we ready?” Everyone else nodded. “Good. Then let’s get some rest and meet up tomorrow.” The thieves thanked Sojiro again for the meal, and then left for the night.

The next day, they gathered in front of the Minamoto household. “Here we are,” Ren said.

Jose noticed that Makoto was a little shaken. “Are you alright Makoto?” he asked.

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Makoto said. “I’ll be fine.”

“I’d understand if you weren’t,” Sumire said. “I mean, the palace is a mausoleum. Whatever we find in there is not going to be easy to deal with.”

“Agreed,” Yusuke said. “But we must be brave enough to take a stand here.”

“You’re right,” Makoto said. “Thanks everyone.”

“So, are we ready then?” Ren asked. They all nodded. “OK then. I’m just gonna message Lena and tell her we’re here.”

Ren: We’re here. Are you ready?

Lena: Yeah.

Ren: Great.

Ren: Do you want to meet us now, or inside the palace?

Lena: I can meet you out there. My mom’s not home right now.

Lena: See you in a bit.

A few minutes later, Lena emerged from the front door. “Uh, hi…” she said nervously.

Ren nodded. “Hi. Um, things were a bit hectic yesterday to say the least. So, we didn’t get a chance to properly introduce ourselves.”

“Well, I’m familiar with Sakamoto,” Lena said, “since he’s in my class.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji concurred.

“And, I’m familiar with Niijima-senpai, since she’s the class president,” Lena continued.

“Noted,” Makoto said.

“And I met you yesterday, Amamiya-chan,” Lena said, “along with Morgana.”

“Correct,” Ren said.

“And…” Lena began to wonder. “I feel like I’ve seen you two around,” pointing at Ann and Sumire, “but I don’t know you that well. And I’ve never seen these two boys before yesterday,” indicating to Yusuke and Jose.

“Alright then,” Ren said.

“Well, for starters,” Makoto said, taking the initiative, “we usually call each other by our first names. So, you can just call me Makoto.”

“Wait, isn’t that a bit rude?” Lena said, getting embarrassed “I thought people in Japan refer to each other by their last name.”

“At first,” Makoto said. “But depending on how close you are, or if the person is OK with it, you can call people by their first name.”

“And we’re pretty OK with it,” Ryuji said. “So, you can call me Ryuji too.”

“Besides, didn’t I hear you calling Akechi by his first name?” Ren asked, grinning.

Lena got even more embarrassed. “Well… That’s just because… he’s SO CUTE! I can’t help it!”

Ren chuckled. “Well, just do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but we call each other by our first names.”

“Got it,” Lena said.

“Wait!” Ryuji said. “Um, we have been calling you ‘Lena’. Is that alright? Or would you rather it be Minamoto?”

Lena nodded. “Lena’s fine. And I guess I’ll go with your first names, now that I’m thinking about it.”

“Very well then,” Makoto said.

“So, who wants to introduce themselves first?” Ren asked.

Ann took the lead. “Hi! I’m Ann Takamaki!”

“Oh, YOU’RE Takamaki!” Lena said. Ann began to worry about what Lena had heard about her. “Sometimes when Ryuji’s asleep in class, I can hear him muttering your name.”

Ann was really shocked, and slightly embarrassed. She turned to Ryuji. “Is this true?”

Ryuji was now also majorly embarrassed. “Ummmm, no?”

“You know one of the student council members is in your class, right?” Makoto asked. “I could probably ask him to corroborate Lena’s story.”

Ryuji was still pink. “I mean, how would I know what I say in my sleep?!” he asked. “I’m sleeping.”

“Well…that’s true…” Ann said.

“I think it’s kind of cute,” Lena said.

Sumire giggled. “I agree.” Lena turned to her. “My name is Sumire Yoshizawa. I’m a first year.”

Lena smiled and nodded. “Hi.”

“I suppose I’m next,” Yusuke said. “My name is Yusuke Kitagawa; a second year at Kosei Academy.”

“I go to Kosei too,” Jose siad. “My name is Jose.”

Lena was a little perplexed. “...What’s your last name?”

“Oh, Jose doesn’t really have one,” Ann said.

“Although I wonder if you made one up for official purposes,” Makoto said.

“He did not,” Yusuke informed them. “They don’t really mind.”

“I mean, I could make up a last name,” Jose said.

“We…should discuss that idea later,” Ren said.

“Sorry,” Lena said. “I’m still lost.”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “Jose’s not human.”

“Oh, OK,” Lena said. “Wait, hold on, what?”

Jose nodded. “It’s true.”

“He’s a being from the Metaverse that just happens to look human,” Yusuke explained.

“We’ve just kind of learned to roll with it,” Ann added.

“I see…” Lena said.

“Well, it seems like you have a handle on everything,” Morgana said.

“Right,” Lena replied.

A stunned silence filled the air. “Aren’t you surprised that I’m talking?” Morgana wondered.

“Well, you talked in the Metaverse,” Lena said. “And I already kind of figured you were magic. Wait…is magic the right word?”

“Well…” Morgana pouted.

“Are you seriously upset she understood you?” Ryuji asked. “Sometimes I wish I didn’t.”

“HEY!” Morgana sniped. “I was just confused by it is all.”

“STOP!” Lena protested. “No fighting!”

Morgana and Ryuji were surprised by this. “Uhhhh, sorry,” Ryuji said.

“I guess we were setting a bad example,” Morgana said. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “They tend to fight. It happens.”

Yusuke nodded. “If I recall, they were fighting the first time I met them as well.”

“Oh,” Lena said, stunned.

“Well, now that that’s settled,” Makoto began, “I feel like we should do what we came here to do.”

“I agree,” Ren said. She got out her phone. “Are we ready?” Everyone nodded. “Then let’s head in.” They slipped into the palace.

Once inside, Lena asked “Alright, should we head in.”

“Hold up,” Ryuji said with a smile plastered on his face. “You need a codename.”

“Codename?” Lena wondered.

“We do it to keep our identities a secret,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, we’re essentially in someone’s heart,” Morgana said. “No telling what'll happen if we just shout each other’s names.”

“Plus it’s cool,” Ryuji said.

“OK then…” Lena said.

“In case you were wondering,” Ren said, “I’m Joker, he’s Mona, she’s Panther, he’s Skull, he’s Sunshine, she’s Violet, he’s Fox, and she’s Queen.”

“I see,” Lena said. She thought for a moment. “How about Cupid?”

“Cupid?” Ryuji wondered.

Lena nodded. “It is my intention to spread love. Through the darkness, I will shine to prove once and for all that love conquers all!”

“That, uh, sounds like it came straight out of an anime,” Ryuji noted.

“Eh heh,” Lena chuckled.

“You say that like it’s a bad thing, Skull,” Ann chastised. “I love it.”

“Sorry,” Ryuji said. “I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just… I never thought of it before, but this does feel like an anime of some kind. Feels almost weird to acknowledge.”

“Well, I like it too,” Yusuke said. “It captures your spirit quite nicely.”

“Thank you Fox,” Lena said.

“Well, I don’t think we have any objections,” Ren said. “Welcome aboard Cupid.”

Lena bowed. “Thank you for having me.”

Ren nodded. “Now with that out of the way, let’s head in.” The thieves all nodded and started heading toward the mausoleum proper.

Before they could enter though, they heard Eris shut “HOLD IT!” They looked up to see her sitting on top of the building. She jumped down to greet them.

Lena was ready to charge, but Ren stopped her. “Wait!” she said, holding her arm out. Lena stopped. “As much as we all want to, I still feel Eris is too powerful for us.”

Lena was angry, but Eris interjected. “She’s right, you know. But when the time comes, we shall battle.”

“IF it comes to it,” Ren said, reminding them of their deal.

Eris chuckled. “Right, right. Ahem. Anyway, you can’t enter.”

“Why not?” Ryuji asked.

“The door’s locked, silly,” Eris explained.

“We can find another point of entry,” Morgana said.

Eris shook her head. “This is the only one. However…” She drew her sword, and touched the door with it. The door fell into pieces. “There.”

Lena was confused. “Why are you helping us?”

Eris giggled. “Silly girl. I’m helping you to help me. Where’s the fun if you just get stuck? I want to watch you come face to face with all of this. And if you triumph, that will make you stronger. If you fail though, well, that’d be fun in its own way.”

“I see,” Lena said. “So, this is just a game to you?”

“I guess you could put it that way,” Eris said.

“My host mother is suffering, and you’re treating this like a game?!” Lena asked. “How cruel can you be?!”

“At least I’m doing something,” Eris replied. “It’s far more cruel to ignore the voices of the suffering completely. And in the world of chaos I wish to create, no one will be ignored.”

“Why do you keep tryin’ to sell this BS to us?” Ryuji asked. “You should know by now we ain’t buyin’.”

“It’s the truth,” Eris said. “You’d rather things stay as they are?”

“Of course not!” Ann said. “However, we have our own ways of accomplishing this change!”

“Well, be that as it may, one of us will be proven right,” Eris said. “Until then, I suspect our relationship will continue like this. Ta Ta!” She vanished.

Jose saw that Lena was tense. “Are you OK?” he asked.

Lena nodded and sighed. “If I never see her again, it’ll be too soon.”

Jose smiled. “Well, on the bright side, I guess that proves that you’ll fit in with us.”

Lena chuckled. “Thanks Sunshine.”

“Regardless, the door is open now,” Yusuke noted. “I think it’s high time to see what’s inside.”

“Agred,” Makoto said. They walked inside.

It was a small room. There was a coffin in the middle. The back wall and the right wall were completely blank. However, on the left wall was an open door. Beside the door was an image of a dog which looked like a Kai Ken carved into the wall. Above the door and image was a plaque with the inscription “Mr. Smiles.” “Huh,” Ren said. “This is smaller than I thought.”

“Well, the sign outside did say it was under construction,” Yusuke noted.

“Remember: this isn’t a fully formed palace,” Makoto said.

“Right,” Ren said.

“It’s not?” Lena asked.

“Right,” Morgana said. “Usually palaces are bigger than this.”

“We’re not sure,” Sumire explained, “but we think that whatever would cause it to expand into a real palace hasn’t happened yet.”

“Nor will it,” Ren added.

“Yeah, because we won’t let it!” Lena cheered.

Ren smiled. “As much as I like your enthusiasm, we think something might happen to Tamako before it can.”

“Why?” Lena wondered.

“Because Eris mentioned you were the only person she could possibly target,” Ren answered. “As I’ve told you before, Eris is powerful. If even she’s at an impasse, something might happen if we don’t put a stop to this now.”

Lena was nervous. “Relax, Cupid,” Ryuji said. “We ARE here now! So we’re gonna save her!”

“Yeah!” Ann cheered. “Like you said, we aren’t gonna let that happen!”

Lena chuckled. “Thanks Skull. Panther.”

Jose noticed something. “Joker. You’re stepping on something!”

Ren looked down at her feet to notice a piece of paper. She picked it up. “Huh.”

“What is it?” Jose asked.

“It looks like a set of blueprints,” Ren said. “But for the completed palace. And just as we suspected, it’s a lot bigger.”

“Well, what rooms are complete?” Makoto asked. “If they’re labeled, we could use this as a map.”

Ren studied the blueprints. “Well, it seems like the only completed rooms are three adjoining rooms connected by some halls, and a basement.”

“But we only see one door, right?” Ann said. “How do we get to the other rooms?”

“Well, I guess we just have to see what we can find,” Ren said.

“Just so you know Cupid,” Makoto said. “There is some level of planning, but there’s also going to be times like this where we just have to press on blindly.”

“I don’t mind,” Lena said. “But thanks for the heads up Queen.” Makoto nodded.

“Well, I guess we should just head into the ‘Mr. Smiles’ room,” Ryuji pointed out.

“Agreed,” Makoto said. They started walking.

“By the way Cupid,” Yusuke said, “since we ARE essentially in the mind of your host mother, some of the things we may find here might not be easy to process. So just brace yourself for that.”

Lena frowned. “I did kind of get that feeling. I mean, she sees the world as a mausoleum, so I doubt it’s going to be cheery. But thank you.”

“Always happy to help,” Yusuke replied.

After going through some halls, they found themselves in another small room. In the middle of the room was a Will Seed. However, between them and the seed was an ominous looking dog shadow. “Woah, is that a Will Seed?” Ryuji asked.

“What’s a Will Seed?” Lena asked.

“Will Seeds,” Morgana began explaining, “are essentially the building blocks of a palace. They are what is planted, and a palace grows from there.”

“But why is this one out in the open?” Makoto wondered.

“Probably because the palace hasn’t formed completely,” Jose answered.

“Good guess,” Morgana said.

“Whatever the case, we should steal it like always,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “But first, we should take care of this shadow.” They approached the shadow.

“Grrrrrr,” the shadow hssed. “BARK BARK!”

“Here we go!” Ren said. They fought the shadow, Despite its furiosity, the Thieves won.

“Whew,” Lena said. “Alright, now let’s take it!”

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “Remember what Fox said earlier, about how we might find some unpleasant things?” Lena nodded. “Well, once we take the Will Seed, we will hear something that tells us part of the story that made the palace ruler the way they are.”

“I see,” Lena said. “Well, it’s too late to turn back now.”

“Hm,” Morgana said. “I admire your tenacity. Joker?”

“On it,” Ren said. She took the Will Seed.

The voices began. “What do you mean we were broken into?” a man’s voice said.

“Huh?” Ryuji reacted.

“Have you found anything yet?” a woman’s voice asked.

“What the?” Ann said, confused.

“We’re still looking,” a different man’s voice said.

“Hmmm,” Morgana said.

A young girl’s voice gasped. “MR. SMILES!” She started breathing heavily like she was running.

“TAMAKO WAIT!” the woman’s voice said.

“That’s Tamako?” Makoto exclaimed.

The young Tamako continued running. “Mr. Smiles!” she called. “Mr. Smiles!” She gasped again. It sounded like she collapsed to her knees. “Mr. Smiles…what happened to you?”

The voice ended. “What the Hell?” Ryuji said.

“So…what happened there?” Yusuke wondered.

“Well, if I had to guess,” Makoto began, “it seems like when she was a child, her home was broken into, and the robbers…”

“I think we get it…” Ryuji said tactfully.

“How horrible,” Ann added.

Sumire was deeply saddened. Ren pulled her in for a side hug. Sumire smiled. “Thanks. Sorry, I’ve been getting better, but…”

Ren smiled. “You don’t need to say anything. But… it might get more difficult from here. You sure you want to stay Violet?”

Sumire nodded. “Of course.”

Morgana looked up at Lena. “How about you Cupid? How are you holding up?”

Lena was a little surprised. “Oh, uh, I think I’ll be alright. I mean, I can’t say that that wasn’t distressing, but we’re here to help.”

Morgana nodded. “Alright then.”

“Did you know about this beforehand?” Makoto wondered.

“Not really,” Lena said. “Although, I guess it was a long time ago.”

“Makes sense,” Morgana said.

They heard something shifting in the mausoleum. “Uh, what was that?” Makoto asked, panicked.

“I dunno,” Jose said. “Let’s investigate.”

“How?” Ryuji asked. “We can’t go further.”

Ren let go of Sumire. “Then let’s head back. Maybe something’s changed.” They nodded and headed back.

Once they got to the main room, they saw the back wall now had a door on it. Next to the door was a burly man in a suit, with spiked-back hair, and a beard. Above was a plaque with the name “Daiki” etched into it.

“Wait, this is open now?” Ann wondered.

“Is it because we stole the first Will Seed?” Jose asked.

“That’d be my guess,” Morgana said. “Honestly, seeing a palace that’s not fully formed is interesting.”

“So, I guess we just need to steal the remaining Will Seeds, and the way to the treasure should open,” Makoto surmised.

“Sounds about right,” Ren said.

“Well then, no time like the present,” Yusuke said.

“Oh, right,” Sumire remembered. “Do you know who this person is?”

Lena nodded. “He was her husband. She has pictures of them all over the house, and a little shrine near the back door.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

“Just to let you know, we were informed about him last night,” Ann said.

“My guardian is apparently an old friend,” Ren said

“I see,” Lena said.

“Are you all ready then?” Ren asked. “Then let’s go!”

They continued into the new set of halls. Lena gave a concerned look at Sumire and asked “Um, Violet?” Sumire looked back at her. “I don’t mean to intrude, but is everything alright?”

“Oh, you mean about what happened back there?” Sumire said. “Well, it’s just… My sister passed away recently. So the subject of death is a bit…complicated for me right now.”

Lena gasped. “I’m so sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Sumire said. “I mean, the loss of my sister is devastating, yes, but with everyone’s help, I’m feeling better every day.”

Lena was impressed. “Right.”

Sumire chuckled. “And once this is all said and done, you can do the same for your mother.”

Lena was surprised. She smiled and said “You’re right.”

They soon found the next Will Seed Room. A monsterous-looking shadow was guarding this one. “OK then…” Morgana said.

“Seems like our hypothesis is correct,” Yusuke noted.

“Well, it’s nice to know we don’t have to deal with any sort of bullshit traps,” Ryuji said.

“As someone who’s read the blueprints to this palace, I’m thankful too,” Ren said.

“Huh? What’s in there?” Ann wondered.

“You don’t want to know,” Ren answered.

“Huh,” Ann replied.

“Well then, second verse, same as the first,” Ren said. “Let’s take em down!”

They surrounded the shadow. “THIEVES! Filthy vermin! I’ll CRUSH you!” the shadow shouted. Another battle ensued, and again, the thieves won.

“Man, that was somethin’,” Ryuji noted.

“But we won in the end,” Jose said.

“Of course Sunshine,” Ryuji shot back. “We always do.”

“Now for the prize,” Ren said. She took the second Will Seed.

The voices started up again. “And so I humbly ask for your support,” a booming male voice said. “Together, we can create a Japan that is truly for everyone, in every sense of the word!” A crowd cheered.

“Was she there?” Ryuji wondered.

Suddenly, gunshots rang out. Tamako’s voice gasped. “Daiki!” she screamed. Footsteps could be heard as the panic of the crowd started to diminish in volume.

“Perhaps not,” Yusuke said.

“In some ways, that’s better, but…” Sumire noted. Ren pulled her in again.

“WHERE IS HE?!” Tamako shouted.

“Wha?” said a different voice.

“My husband, Daiki Minamoto, WHERE IS HE?!” Tamako shouted again.

“He’s at the nearby hospital,” the other voice said. The footsteps started up again.

A door opened. “DAIKI!” Tamako said. She pulled up a chair and sat down. The heart monitor could be heard. “Daiki…”

Tamako gasped. “Tamako…” Daiki said, struggling with every breath. “I…I…love…you…”

“Daiki…” Tamako said. The heart monitor started slowing down, before eventually flatlining. Tamako began sobbing incredibly hard.

The voices ended. “DAMMIT!” Ryuji shouted.

“We can’t change the past,” Yusuke lamented.

“Yeah, but…” Ryuji began to protest, before silencing himself and sighing.

“I know it’s painful,” Makoto said, “but right now we have to remain focused.”

Ren nodded. “She’s right.”

The mausoleum shifted again. “Well, looks like we can move on,” Morgana said.

Ren indeed again. “Two down, one to go.” They proceeded back to the main room.

Once there, they saw the right wall had a door now. Next to the door was an image of a young girl who looked almost like Lena, except she didn’t have glasses, and her hair was a bit shorter. Above was the inscription “Ariko”.

The thieves were stunned. “Well…that’s…something…” Ann said.

“Is there a human word to describe this?” Jose wondered.

“Uncanny,” Makoto said, both reacting to this and answering Jose’s question.

“Hmmm.” Ren pondered. “Akechi told us that a child from her orphanage was kidnapped and murdered. Maybe this is her.”

“Well, I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be…” Yusuke said. “However sad that may be.”

Sumire looked at Lena. “Are you OK Cupid?”

“Huh?” Lena said, shaking out of the shock. “Oh, yeah…” She sighed. “This has been… you know, a lot. But I think we can do it.”

Ren smiled. “That’s the spirit. Now, let’s head out.” They all nodded, and continued through the third set of halls.

“Hmmm,” Morgana groaned.

“What is it, Mona?” Lena asked.

“Well…” Morgana said. “Usually, when we grab all three Will Seed, we get a video showing us the palace ruler’s breaking point. I’m wondering what we’ll see this time, or if we’ll see anything.”

“What do you mean by ‘breaking point’?” Lena asked.

“We’ll see the moment that flung them down the path to having a palace,” Morgana explained. “All the things we hear are but kindling. The thing we watch is the spark that ignites the flame.”

“I see,” Lena said. “Well, I’m curious too now.”

They found the third Will Seed room, and just like before, a shadow was standing in the way. This time, it was wispy, but still emitted a powerful aura. “I say the sooner we get it over with, the better,” Ann said.

“Agreed,” Ren said. They ambushed the shadow.

“Well well,” the shadow said. “You think you can defeat me?” The shadow attacked, and the thieves began their battle.

The thieves won out, but it was a bit of a challenge. Makoto sighed. “Well, that takes care of that…”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “Now let’s take care of our other business.” Ren nodded and picked up the third Will Seed.

The voices began again. “And how does the defendant plead?” an authoritative voice said.

There was a bit of silence before a deranged voice shouted “Guilty!”

“Very well,” the judge’s voice said. “The court accepts the defendant’s plea.”

The deranged man laughed. “It’s TRUE! And I would do it again in a heartbeat. I’d do it even more if you hadn't caught me so soon.”

“YOU MONSTER!” Tamako shouted.

“Miss Minamoto, calm down,” a different voice said.

“Give her back!” Tamako pleaded. “Give me back Ariko-chan!” Meanwhile, the defendant laughed like a maniac.

The voices stopped there. “That’s just insane!” Ryuji said.

“I…I almost can’t believe it…” Makoto reacted.

“How awful,” Sumire noted.

The Will Seeds formed together to make the Crystal of Sorrow. It started projecting an image. Tamako was in a meeting room with someone who looked like a lawyer. “WHAT?!” Tamako shouted. “What do you MEAN?!”

“Calm down,” the lawyer said. “It’s just, recently, it seems you haven’t been… well, stable.”

“So you’re just going to take my dream away?!” Tamako retorted.

“Now now, should this go through, the orphanage will be in good hands,” the lawyer said. “We are going to have a meeting about this at the end of the summer to discuss this. Should you improve by then, nothing will happen. However, if you still aren’t well enough to run it, then we’ll have no choice.”

“But…” Tamako pleaded. “But…”

“It's for the good of the kids,” the lawyer said. “And if it comes to that, we’ll make sure you have a nice retirement package. Like I said, you have until the end of the summer.”

The video cut to outside, where Tamako was talking with herself. “No…they can’t…They can’t kill my dream too…” She grew angrier. “FINE! If it’s going to be like that, I’ll be more focused and disciplined than ever before! I’m NOT going to let them take this from me without a fight!”

The video ended. “So, they’re planning on taking her orphanage away?!” Makoto asked.

“That’s messed up!” Ryuji said.

“I hate to say it, but it makes sense,” Yusuke said. “If someone is not fit to guide children, they shouldn’t.”

“Don’t you think I know that?!” Ryuji barked back.

“Calm down, Skull,” Ann said.

Ryuji sighed. “Sorry…”

“It’s fine,” Yusuke said. “I get it. And we know this is different from our circumstances as well.”

Meanwhile, tears were streaming down Lena’s face. Sumire noticed this. “Are you OK Cupid?”

Lena was half paying attention to the question. She wiped her tears and said “Don’t worry. We’ll make sure to save your dream.”

Sumire smiled. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

They heard the mausoleum shifting again. “I guess that means the basement is open,” Morgana noted.

“Let’s head back,” Ren said. They went back to the main room.

Upon arrival, they saw the coffin move over, revealing a set of stairs. “I detect the treasure is down there!” Morgana said.

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Ren asked. “Let’s head down.” The thieves went down the stairs. At the bottom, they arrived at a dark and empty room, with only a single light illuminating the treasure. “There it is,” Ren noted.

“Um…?” Lena wondered. “I can’t quite tell what it is.”

“That’s usual,” Ryuji said.

“The treasure appears like this, until we make it take form,” Makoto said.

“And how do we do that?” Lena asked.

“Simple,” Morgana answered. “We send a calling card!”

“That’s not just for show?” Lena asked.

Ren shook her head. “A treasure is essentially a desire. Once it’s been made apparent that their desire is under attack, it’ll manifest itself.”

“I see…” Lena said. “How peculiar.”

“Well, now all that’s left is to write it and show it to her,” Ryuji said.

“Do…you want me to do it?” Lena asked.

“As good as that sounds, I don’t think we can,” Ann said. “She’d recognize your voice.”

“Oh,” Lena said.

“Rest assured, we can take care of it,” Yusuke said.

“Although, you can tell us when she reads it,” Jose said.

Ren nodded. “That’s important,” Ren said. “The calling card’s effect only lasts for about a day, so we need to move quickly.”

“We’ll message you when we send it,” Sumire said.

Lena nodded. “Got it.”

“Well, with that all settled, and us having a route to the treasure,” Ren said, “I say we should leave.”

“I agree,” Morgana said.

“We should work on the calling card tonight though,” Sumire pointed out.

“Agreed,” Yusuke said. “The sooner, the better.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Now let’s head out.” The thieves went up the stairs, out of the mausoleum, and headed back to the real world.

Notes:

So yeah, this was always meant to be a smaller palace, but with the preamble, it's still a pretty heafty chapter. I figured since it was so small, I could add all that stuff to it. It probably could have fit in last chapter, but it was running long as it was.

Again, I'm sorry this was a bit depressing. I mean, a lot of this story has been. But that's what Persona 5 is about. Bad things happen, but the world is still full of light and goodness. Resigning to the darkness is no way to live. We need to be there for each other as people and help them.

Chapter 108: Help Me

Notes:

I keep forgetting things. I meant to explain this last time, but I felt like since this fic isn't going to do Maruki's palace, I could give Tamako Sorrow. I'm not sure what Lenachan's going to do for her own story, but I'm sure it'll be fantastic. Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The Phantom Thieves returned to Leblanc. Sojiro was expecting it this time. “So, how’d it go?” he asked.

“Well, we accomplished a lot,” Ren stated, “but…” She explained what they found in the palace.

Sojiro was shocked. “...I see. That’s…quite a lot.”

“You’re telling us,” Ryuji moaned.

“So, are you going to try and change her heart tomorrow?” Sojiro asked.

“Well…” Ren replied.

“We’d like to,” Makoto said. “But we might not have the time.”

“How come?” Sojiro said.

“Well, she needs to see the card before we can do anything,” Sumire answered. “And I’m not sure we can get the card to her early enough to get her to see it before the evening tomorrow.”

“Well, if we go tonight,” Yusuke said. “But that also has its risks too.”

“Plus, I think we’re pretty exhausted,” Jose added.

Sojiro thought about it. “I’ll take you tonight.”

“Really?” Ann wondered.

Sojiro nodded. “Of course. I mean, I helped out last time, didn’t I?”

“True…” Yusuke said.

“You’re willing to do it again?” Makoto inquired.

“Well, I know what you guys are about,” Sojiro said. “I trust you.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Sojiro.”

“I should say,” Sojiro began, “the condition for me doing this is to have someone keep an eye on Futaba until I get back.”

“I’ll do it,” Ren said. “I mean, I have the shortest distance to go between your place and mine.”

“Fair enough,” Sojiro said. “So, who should I take?”

“Oh, me!” Ryuji said, excitedly. “I mean, I live close by to her anyway.”

“You’ll just mess it up,” Morgana said. “I’m coming too.”

“What was that?” Ryuji snarled.

“Erm, what’s going on?” Sojiro asked.

Sumire chuckled. “Morgana wants to come too.”

“Also, he and Ryuji are prone to butting heads,” Ren added.

“Well… I suppose that’s alright,” Sojiro said. “But try to keep it civil. I don’t want you two arguing to jeopardize the mission.”

“Yes Boss,” Ryuji and Morgana said at the same time, which got a giggle out of some of the other thieves.

“Well, we should write the calling card,” Makoto said.

“While you’re doing that, I’ll whip you up something to eat,” Sojiro said.

“Thanks Boss,” they all said. They realized this and had another giggle.

The thieves sat down. Ren handed Ryuji some paper. “Here you go.”

“Sweet!” Ryuji cheered.

“So, who’s going to edit it this time?” Yusuke wondered.

Ryuji pouted. “You know, she doesn’t know us,” he said. “Maybe my draft will be OK this time?”

“I’ve seen your draft work,” Yusuke said. “And it leaves a lot to be desired.”

“HEY!” Ryuji squabbled.

“Relax,” Ren said. “It’s important. You’re the smoke screen that gives The Phantom Thieves the opportunity to stay in the shadows.”

Ryuji grinned. “Wellll, when you put it that way…” He started writing away.

“I’ll do it,” Sumire said, taking the others by surprise.

“Are you sure?” Ren wondered.

Sumire nodded. “I’m familiar with how Tamako feels. So I should be able to communicate with her in a way that gets her, you know.”

Ren nodded. “I agree.”

“Aaaaaaand done,” Ryuji said. “Here you go, Sumire.”

Sumire looked over Ryuji’s handy work and said “Good job, Ryuji-senpai. I do need to change it a bit, but I can work with this easily.”

Yusuke and Makoto were confused. “I guess it’s because she’s a first year?” Makoto posited.

“Perhaps,” Yusuke tacitly agreed.

“Well, maybe I’m just getting better,” Ryuji said.

“I’ll take those odds,” Ren said. “If you manage to write a calling card that doesn’t need editing, I’ll delete those pictures from my phone.”

“For real?” Ryuji asked. “You’re on!” They shook hands.

“What pictures?” Sojiro said, arriving with their food.

“Well, it’s a funny story,” Ren said.

“And Boss doesn’t need to hear it!” Ryuji interrupted.

Ren chuckled. She whispered “I’ll tell you later.” Ryuji groaned.

Sumire finished rewriting the calling card, and the thieves ate dinner. Once they were done, they assembled the card in full. After that had been completed, they started filing out. “See you tomorrow!” Ann said.

“Delicious as always, Boss,” Yusuke said.

“It was fantastic,” Jose said.

“Thanks again,” Makoto said.

“It’s always a pleasure,” Sumire said.

“Take care,” Sojiro said. He turned to Ryuji and Morgana. “You ready?” They both nodded. Sojiro turned to Ren. “Are you ready?” Ren nodded as well. “Alright then, let’s go over to my place.” The four walked to Sojiro’s house. Ren went inside to look after Futaba, while Sojiro, Ryuji, and Morgana got into his car to drive off.

Ren entered Futaba’s room, and sat down. Futaba was sleeping, but at this hour it made sense. She seemed to be breathing normally. Ren smiled. “We made a new friend recently. Her name is Lena, and I think you’d like her. She might join the Phantom Thieves, but she might not.

See, we’re currently trying to save her mother. She’s going through something similar to you. But anyway, Lena will probably join us, but if she wanted to stop after this, I’d understand.” She giggled. “I know I’ve gotta be more confident, but I still get scared too.” She observed Futaba’s sleeping state again. “I’ll say this: I believe you’ll recover. In fact, I know it.”

Meanwhile, Sojiro pulled up close to the Minamoto residence without getting too close. The three men got out. “Um, what are you doin’?” Ryuji asked.

“I’m gonna pick up something at the store,” Sojiro said. “Just to give myself another reason to be out here late at night.”

“Alright then,” Ryuji said. Sojiro walked off. Ryuji and Morgana headed down to slip the calling card into the mail slot. “Man, Boss sure is one smooth operator,” Ryuji said, trying to make conversation with Morgana.

“True,” Morgana siad. “I bet you could learn a thing or two from him.”

Ryuji wasn’t amused. “So could you.”

“Hey, I’m a perfect gentleman,” Morgana countered.

“Yeahhhhhh,” Ryuji said, trying to keep a cool head in order to not jeopardize the mission. “Listen, real ‘perfect gentlemen’ don’t go around calling themselves ‘perfect gentlemen’.”

“How do you know what gentlemen do?” Morgana asked.

“Well,” Ryuji said, “I’ve known a good amount of dirtbags in my life, and all of them like to think they’re the best.”

“I see,” Morgana said, understanding Ryuji’s thought process. After a few seconds, he said “Sorry.”

Ryuji was surprised. “Eh, it’s fine. I mean, I know you ain’t hurtin’ anybody or nothin’.” Morgana smiled. “Here we are.” They were right beside it. “You have night vision, right? You see anything?”

Morgana groaned. “Cats don’t have night vision, they can just see in the dark better.”

“How’s that different?” Ryuji wondered.

Morgana was still pouting, but couldn’t think of an answer. Instead, he opted to answer the first question. “I don’t see anything. You’re good to go.”

“OK then.” Ryuji said. He snuck up to the door, and discreetly slipped the card into the mail slot. He returned. “And done.”

Morgana nodded. “Alright, now let’s head out.” They started walking back. On their way, Morgana reminded Ryuji “Hey. Shouldn’t you message Lena?”

“Oh, right. Thanks,” Ryuji said. He got out his phone.

Ryuji: Yo, the calling card just got dropped off.

Lena: Thanks. She just turned in for the night, so she’ll probably see it first thing in the morning.

Ryuji: Cool.

Ryuji: See you tomorrow then.

Lena: See ya!

Ryuji put his phone away

Once they got back, Sojiro was waiting for them outside the car. “So, you want me to drop you off?”

Ryuji pondered it for a second. “Nah, I’ll just take a page out of your book and get something at the convenience store.”

Sojiro smirked. “I see. Well then, let’s head back Morgana.” He opened the passenger’s side door, and Morgana hopped in. Sojiro got in, and then drove off. Ryuji waved goodbye and started walking home, once the car was out of sight.

The next day, Tamako noticed the calling card with the rest of her mail. “What’s this?” Lena peered over, keeping a safe distance. Tamako read the message. “Madame Tamako Minamoto, the misanthropic sinner of sorrow. Your desire to maintain your order is growing out of hand. You are reacting rashly, and taking out your anger on those who do not deserve it. In order to balance this, we hereby declare that we are stealing your desires. From, The Phantom Thieves.”

Tamako was fuming. “MY DESIRES?!” she shouted. “What about those greedy pigs that wish to take the orphanage?! Why not steal THEIR desires?! I’M the one who’s RIGHT!”

The world turned black. Shadow Tamako appeared. She looked icy cold. “So, they want to steal this? Well, I won’t let them.”

It flashed back to reality, where Tamako went to the kitchen in a huff. Meanwhile, Lena got out her phone.

Lena: She got the card.

Ren: OK, we’re on our way.

A little while later, the thieves showed up, and they entered the palace. “Well, the route to get to the treasure is easier this time…” Yusuke pointed out.

“But I doubt Tamako’s going to take this lying down,” Ann pointed out.

“Well, we aren’t either!” Ryuji cheered.

“Skull’s right,” Morgana said. “We have to try!”

“Right,” Lena said. “For mom.”

“Let’s go in!” Ren said, the thieves nodded. They rushed into the mausoleum and then down the stairs.

At the bottom, Tamako was standing in the light.  In her hand was a large diamond that she was tossing up and down. “So, you’re The Phantom Thieves,” she said.

Ren, as the leader, stepped forward. “That’s right.”

Tamako stopped tossing the diamond. “I suppose you want this? Well tough. I’m not gonna let you just take it. Do you think you can just do whatever the Hell you want, with no repercussions? BAH! Don’t be so naive.”

“Now just calm down,” Makto instructed.

“‘Calm down’?!” Tamako repeated. “How can I remain calm when you threatened me?!”

“I guess that's fair,” Jose said.

“I know it’s difficult,” Sumire interjected. “But we understand how you feel.”

“NO YOU DON’T!” Tamako objected. “You don’t know a DAMN thing! I’ve given everything, and that STILL isn’t enough for this cruel world! It just keeps taking more and more and more! Well, if it wants more, it’s going to have to fight for it, because I am DONE letting it take everything I love away from me! I’m not letting you take this, I’m not letting those sharks take the orphanage, and I am NOT letting the world take Lena either!” Lena gasped. Tamako put the diamond in one of her pockets. She undid her trench coat to reveal a black turtleneck and black pants combo, and also a pair of swords which she drew. “I’d like to see you TRY and take this from me!”

“Here we go!” Morgana said. The thieves battle Tamako. Tamako was formidable for sure, but the thieves outnumbered and overwhelmed her

“GAH!” Tamako screamed as she lost her strength and dropped her swords.

“That…was a little too easy, wasn’t it?” Ryuji said.

“Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth Skull,” Ann said.

“Still, we should be cautious,” Yusuke noted.

Ren carefully approached Tamako. “The treasure, if you would?”

Tamako was breathing heavily. “I…I lost?...No…I’m supposed to protect this place…”

“I sense something…” Jose said.

“Perhaps Skull was right…” Morgana worried.

Tamako went on. “If I’m not here to protect it…then why?...Why am I here?...”

The mausoleum started to shake. “Wha…what’s happening?” Makoto worried.

“I’m not sure,” Sumire said. “But I don’t like it.”

“Everyone, be vigilant!” Ren commanded.

Lena saw something. “LOOK!” she pointed behind Tamako. A coffin appeared from the ground vertically. Once it fully emerged, it sat there for a bit. Tamako looked at it, unsure of what it meant.

Suddenly, the coffin opened up, and three spirits flew up. Tamako tried to run, but the spirits caught her. Mr. Smiles was biting her right arm. Daiki was giving her an over the shoulder hug. Ariko was grabbing onto her right arm. “Come with us,” Ariko said in a sweet voice.

“Yes dear, join us,” Daiki said. “You and I can be together forever.”

“Ruff!” barked Mr. Smiles.

Tamako looked scared and started crying. “Mom…” Lena said.

“Holy shit!” Ryuji said.

“So now that she’s not guarding this place, she thinks she’s going to die?!” Makoto surmised.

“Even when Eris isn't manipulating anyone, someone is out to kill the palace ruer,” Yusuke lamented.

“Luckily, we’re experts in protecting them,” Ren said.

“So, you’re suggesting we fight off the ghosts?” Ann asked.

“Basically,” Ren said.

“I’m down,” Ryuji said. “Let’s bust some ghosts!”

Lena smiled. She turned to Tamako, naginata drawn, and said “Don’t worry mom. We’ll save you!” The thieves began taking on the ghosts. It was a little tricky at first, since ghosts were a bit unusual of an enemy to say the least. All the while, the ghosts were trying to drag Tamako to the coffin to seal her inside.

While Tamako was resisting, the thieves figured out how to deal with the ghosts. Pretty soon, they started to fall. “Woof!” Mr. Smiles said, letting go of Tamako’s arm, and flying back into the coffin.

“Oof!” Daiki said, letting go of Tamako and flying to the coffin as well.

“Eek!” Ariko said as she too let go, and flew to the coffin. Once all three ghosts were back in the coffin, the coffin closed. It started to shake, and then it shattered.

Tamako fell to her knees. She started crying softly. The thieves were concerned, but unsure of what to do. “I’ve got this,” Lena said. She approached Tamako. “Mom…”

Tamako looked up. “Lena?”

Lena nodded. “How are you feeling?” Tamako looked down. “It’s OK if you feel sad.” Tamako looked back up. “We all feel sad from time to time. It’s part of what makes us human. Another thing that makes us human is the ability to help others.

I know your orphanage means a lot to you. I know you want to help others. I mean, you took me in. That has to mean something, right? But right now, you need help. Well I’m there for you. I will be your light if you let me.” She offered her hand.

Tamako was impressed by Lena’s fortitude. “Lena…” She took Lena’s hand and Lean helped her up. Tamako hugged her. “Lena, I’m so sorry!”

Lena hugged back. “It’s OK.”

“I was so lost,” Tamako said. “I thought I was doing what’s best for you. But I was blinded by my own darkness. I couldn’t see anything else. Could you ever forgive me?”

Lena smiled. “Of course.”

The two kept hugging for a bit. Once they let go, Tamako pulled the diamond out of her pocket. “Here,” she said. “Take it. I’m sure you can use your light to make this shine brighter than this darkness.”

Lena was surprised. She took the diamond. “Very well then.”

Tamako smiled. “I’ll see you on the other side.” She faded away.

Lena walked back to the rest of the group. “Not bad,” Ryuji said.

“Cupid, that was great!” Sumire cheered.

Lena chuckled. “Thanks.”

Ren glaced around. “Let’s save it for when we get out of here.”

“Huh?” Lean said. The palace started rumbling. “Is something else opening up?”

“No, the palace is crumbling!” Morgana said. “We need to leave now.”

“Wha?!” Lena said.

“Let’s go!” Ann said, taking Lena by the hand and dragging her. The others rushed out. Once Lena was running on her own accord, Ann let go.

They managed to escape back to the real world. The thieves were out of breath. “Well…at least the palace was small this time…” Jose said, trying to look on the bright side.

“Does that happen every time?” Lena asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said, composing herself.

“Once a treasure is stolen, the palace disappears,” Morgana explained.

“So, what happens now?” Lna asked.

“We just wait until the palace ruler has recovered to see if the change worked,” Makoto said.

“And from the conversation you two had, I think it did,” Ryuji said.

“Still, it might be a bit before it’ll go into effect,” Yusuke said.

“Maybe not,” Sumire disagreed. “I mean, it was a smaller palace. Maybe it’ll take less time.”

“You may be right,” Morgana said.

Ren turned to Lena. “Can you watch over her? Try to help her, and tell us when the change has taken place.”

“Of course,” Lena answered.

“Say, what’s in your hand?” Ann asked.

Lena hadn’t quite noticed it until now. She looked at what was in her hand. “Huh. It looks like a picture of her and Daiki on the day the orphanage opened.”

“I see,” Ann said.

“But, why do I have it?” Lena asked.

“That’s Tamako’s treasure,” Sumire said.

“It changes based on whether it’s in the metaverse or not,” Ren said. “So the diamond in there represented that picture.”

“I see,” Lena said. She looked at it again. “It is a nice picture. Can I keep it?”

“She did say you can have it, didn’t she?” Ren asked.

Lena smiled and nodded. “Yeah.”

We should head out,” Makoto said. “Are you gonna be OK?” Lena nodded.

“Alright then,” Ren said. “We’ll see you later.”

“Bye!” Lena said. The others went back home. Lena looked at the picture once more and went inside.

Once she got in, she saw that Tamako was on the couch under a blanket. “Ughhhhhh,” she moaned.

Lena walked up to her. “Are you feeling OK?”

Tamako looked up. “I just need to rest…”

“Do you want some water?” Lena asked.

“Sure,” Tamako said. Lena went to get some water. She returned, placing it on the nearby table, and moving it closer to the couch. “Thanks.”

Lena nodded. “Of course.”

“Hey,” Tamako said. “Come here.” Lena leaned in. Tamako placed her hand on Lena’s head. “You’re a good kid.”

Lena was surprised. She smiled and said. “Thank you.”

“Ugh,” Tamako groaned. She went back under the blanket.

Lena chuckled. “I’ll come check on you later, OK?” Tamako groaned approvingly. Lena headed back to her room smiling.

Notes:

The mausoleum has now shut down. I was motivated and wanted to get this part done right away. The next two chapters are going to be the fallout from this little aventure, but I wanted this part done sooner than later. I might take a bit of a break from this fic. I say that, but I'm not sure how long that'll last. It really depends on my mood. But anyways, again, I hope you enjoy this.

Chapter 109: A Brighter Tomorrow

Notes:

I didn't think I'd update this story so soon, but I was at my first convention since the pandemic, and the post-con funk got to me. I needed something safe and comforting, and this is usually it for me. I really like how it turned out though, and I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Chapter Text

Ren returned to Leblanc. Sojiro looked at her. “How’d it go?”

“A bit harrowing, but overall, it went well,” Ren said.

Sojiro nodded. “I’ll take your word on that. I mean, it’s not like I can do anything for you when you’re in those palaces anyways.”

“Well, you could always join us,” Ren said.

“Pass,” Sojiro said. “Someone has to run the shop. Besides, there are things only I can do, and if I’m spending my time in there, things might fall apart.”

“Fair enough,” Ren said. She headed upstairs. Morgana hopped out of the bed and to the windowsill, while Ren changed for the evening.  Once she was changed, she flopped down on her bed. Morgana jumped down soon after. He looked a little worried. “What's wrong?” Ren asked.

Morgana hesitated to answer. “...Do you think I’m like Tamako?”

Ren sat up. “Now, why would you ask such a question?”

“Well,” Morgana began, trying to think it out for himself. “Tamako saw herself as this protective force that needed to exist, and when she was challenged, she overreacted to it while believing she was doing the right thing. I too think of myself, and the Phantom Thieves in general, as a protective force that does the right thing and needs to exist, and my behavior reflects that as well.”

Ren giggled. “Is that all?” Morgana seemed confused and concerned. “Well, first off, you said it yourself, it’s not just you in the equation; it’s all of us.”

Morgana was still upset. “But I’m the one who’s most boisterous about it. I always like to say that we’re the best and we can do anything. That I’m the best and I can do anything.”

Ren nodded. “And we need someone like that.” Morgana was surprised. “I mean, let’s face it, we’re fighting strange and powerful monsters in a world fueled by people’s darkest desires. Of course it would make sense to get scared and run away. But that’s not how we win. We have to believe in ourselves. So having you be there to motivate us is a really handy tool.”

“Yeah…” Morgana agreed. “But when I’m doing it just for myself, it might seem different. I talk about how great I am a fair amount, but maybe people don’t like it.”

“Like who?” Ren asked.

“Ryuji,” Morgana answered. “To him, I sound like all the palace rulers…”

“Really?” Ren wondered. “I might have to talk to him about that. Because you’re not, and we should all know you're not.”

Morgana was a little taken aback. “Well, uh, he did say I wasn’t hurting anyone, but…”

Ren realized what Morgana was saying. “Ah, you’re getting a little self-conscious. Well don’t worry. You’re not doing anything wrong.”

“How do you figure?” Morgana asked.

“Well for starters, you getting self-conscious is a good indicator,” Ren answered. “But more importantly, you saying those things, whether it be about all of us or just you, is aspirational. You say you’re the best because you want to be, not because you believe you already are.”

“How do you know that?” Morgana said. “What makes you think I’m not conceited?”

“Well, let me ask you this: Why do you say that you’re the best?” Ren replied.

“Well…” Morgan began. “Because I have to be the best. Otherwise, this whole mission would fall apart. If that’s not conceited, I don’t know what is.”

Ren pet Morgana’s head. “Well then, you have no idea what conceited is, because it’s not that. Again, you said that the reason you do it is because you’re afraid everything will fall apart. You’re afraid of what the palace rulers are doing, as well as what would happen if the crusaders got their way be”

“Yeah, but,” Morgana argued, “the place rulers and the crusaders would argue that what they’re doing is right too.”

Ren giggled. “And that’s why we have each other.” Morgana was surprised. “I know it can be hard to know whether or not what you’re doing is right. But the difference between us and the palace rulers and crusaders is that we aren’t alone. We can keep each other in check and make sure we don’t go overboard. And if we do, everyone else will be there to ground us back to reality. Just like you want us to be the best, we also want you to be the best too.”

Morgana smiled. “Hm. I guess I never thought of it like that. It just feels weird, you know. I mean, I didn’t exist before this, so I don’t have anything else to go to once this is done.”

“What about Jose?” Ren asked.

“Well, he told us about his mission and his master,” Morgana said. “He can go back to doing that when this is over. I’m just here to serve the Phantom Thieves.”

“That’s not true,” Ren said.

“But it’s why I was created,” Morgana pointed out.

“But you won’t stop existing once this is over, will you?” Ren countered.

“I…I don’t know…” Morgana said.

“Well, I don’t think so,” Ren said, scratching his chin. “No one who is alive chose to be. We’re just trying to live the best life we can with what we’ve got. And that includes you. As long as you’re here, you’re gonna do your best, and we will hold you to it.”

Morgana was purring from the chin scratches. “Alright. But only if I can do the same to you.”

“Done,” Ren said.

Magician-Morgana: Rank 5

Ren stopped scratching Morgana’s chin. “Well, good night,” she said, getting under the covers.

“Good night,” Morgana said, curling up in a ball. The two fell asleep soon after.

The next morning at the Minamoto household, Lena woke up and headed downstairs. She heard the sounds of Tamako cooking, which wasn’t unusual. However, it was the morning after her treasure was stolen, and Lena had spent the better part of her evening taking care of Tamako as she was laid up on the couch.

Curious, she peered her head into the kitchen. She saw Tamako cooking, but it was different than what she had become accustomed to. Tamako was smiling and humming a cheery tune. Usually, Tamako took to looking at the food as if her eyes were what was cooking it. Tamako noticed Lena. She smiled at her and said “Morning!”

Lena was a bit stunned. She came into the kitchen proper and said “Ummm, good morning to you too. How are you feeling?”

Tamako stopped. “Well, that’s um, a bit of a loaded question. I mean, I guess you’re asking about me feeling sick last night. Well, in terms of that, I guess I’m feeling better, but overall…it’s a bit more complicated. Yesterday feels like a blur, so I don’t know how much you would know, or if you know anything.”

“Well, uh, I’d like to hear more,” Lena said, “but let’s do it once breakfast is finished cooking.”

“Hm? Oh, yes, of course,” Tamako said. “Thanks.” She went back to cooking, while Lena sat at the table, wondering what Tamako would say.

A few minutes later, Tamako came over with breakfast for the both of them. “Thank you,” Lena said. They began eating. Lena was amazed. “Wow! This is amazing! I think this is the best cooking you’ve done since I first arrived. Er. I mean…”

Tamako was a bit surprised, but took it in stride. “No, it’s fine. I understand.” Lena sighed. “I guess we should go back to what happened yesterday. I had received a calling card from The Phantom Thieves. I’m not sure if you saw that.”

Lena said “I…may have observed you.”

“I see,” Tamako said. “Well, I wasn’t sure why I had gotten one. However, after a bit, I was overwhelmed with this strange sensation. After which, I think I understood why.”

“Oh?” Lena wondered.

Tamako nodded. She frowned. “I’m sorry.” Lena was taken aback. “For…everything. I thought I was doing what was best for you, but…” she sighed. “I wasn’t. For a while, I thought I was doing what was right, but I wasn’t. I thought I was OK, when I wasn’t. I did things like managing the orphanage, and taking you in because I thought I was on top of it all. But in reality, I was still drowning in my sorrow.”

Lena grew more interested. Tamako sighed. “You’re aware my husband died a little while ago, right?” Tamako asked. Lena nodded. “Well, sometime after that, a child was kidnapped and killed from the orphanage. I wasn’t entirely over Daiki’s death, and in some ways I never will be, but that made things worse.

I grew paranoid and distrustful of others. I started to see only the worst in people. That’s why I didn’t let you leave when I could help it. I thought something bad would happen to you if you weren’t under my protection.”

“So, why take me in in the first place?” Lena asked.

“I…I don’t know…” Tamako answered. “I guess I still wanted to help people. But my desire to help people conflated with the darkness that was swelling within me, and…it got out of control.” Tamako smiled. “But after last night, when I assumed the Phantom Thieves stole my desires, I feel like my head has been clearer than it has been in years.”

“So, you don’t hate them?” Lena wondered.

Tamako shook her head. “I’m grateful to them. They helped me when no one else would. That’s just the kind of thing I aspire to do. Or I did, once upon a time.”

Lena smiled. “You still can.” Tamako looked at her. “I mean, now that your head is clear, you can help people to the best of your ability.”

Tamako smiled back. “You’re right. Thank you Lena.” Lena giggled. “Once I’ve finished breakfast, I can give it my all to finally do what I haven’t done in a while. And you can do anything your heart desires.”

“So, no more staying in?” Lena inquired.

“Not unless you want to,” Tamako said.

Lena nodded. “Thanks.” They finished eating their breakfast, and Tamako headed out. After putting the dishes in the sink, Lena took out her phone.

Lena: The change was a success!

Makoto: Wait, she’s already changed.

Lena: Yeah!

Yusuke: I take it Sumire was right then in that since it was a smaller palace, it took less time for the change to go into effect.

Sumire: I mean, maybe…

Ann: Don’t sell yourself short, Sumire-chan!

Jose: Yeah, it was a really good hypothesis.

Sumire: Thank you.

Ryuji: So, what happened?

Ryuji: You finally allowed to go out and hang with friends?

Lena: Yeah!

Lena: We had a conversation where mom explained to me what was happening with her.

Lena: She apologized for everything too.

Ren: Well that’s good to hear!

Lena: And even though she said she supported the Phantom Thieves, I didn’t say anything.

Makoto: We really appreciate it.

Sumire: Um, should we gather to discuss our relationship going forward?

Lena: Oh, yeah. Where should we meet?

Ren: Hold up. I think we can do that tomorrow.

Ren: Because, if I recall correctly Lena, your date got interrupted.

Lena: Huh?

Lena: Wait, you mean with Akechi?

Ren: Yeah.

Ren: I think if you can, you should spend today with him.

Lena: Are you sure?

Ren: Positive.

Sumire: I’m sure he’ll be excited that you’re free to go out now!

Lena: Well, if you think so…

Lena: Thanks.

Ren: No problem.

Lena put her phone away and went to get ready for the day.

Meanwhile, Morgana asked Ren “Is it a good idea for her to be with Akechi?”

“Well, she said she didn’t tell Tamako,” Ren explained. “So, I think we’re in the clear on that front. Besides, if my date got interrupted, I’d want to finish it.”

“I guess that’s fair enough,” Morgana agreed.

After Lena finished getting ready, she took her phone back out. She took a deep breath. “Here we go.”

Lena: Goro!

Goro: What?! Are you in danger?!

Lena: Quite the opposite!

Lena: Something amazing happened!

Goro: Oh? Tell me more.

Lena: The Phantom Thieves changed my mom’s heart!

Goro: They did WHAT?!

Lena: She apologized to me, and everything.

Lena: Which means we can finish our date!

Lena: If you’re available that is.

Goro: …

Lena: Goro?

Goro: Well… Normally, I might not be able to afford myself the opportunity.

Lena: Awwww.

Goro: However, since your mother was a target of the Phantom Thieves, I can come over under the guise of investigating that.

Lena: REALLY?!

Goro: Of course.

Goro: I will be over shortly to pick you up.

Lena: I can’t wait!

Lena was very excited. She could hardly contain herself.

At a law office, there was a knock on the door. “Come in,” the lawyer instructed. Tamako opened the door and walked in with confidence. The lawyer noticed. “Miss Minamoto! You seem…different.”

“I feel different,” Tamako said. “I just stopped by to inform you that I’m now feeling stable, and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to prove it to the committee.”

“Well that’s…great,” the lawyer said. “Um, are you usually at the orphanage right about now?”

“I trust the others,” Tamako said. “Besides, I don’t imagine I’m going to do this evaluation all at once.”

“I see,” the lawyer said. “Well, we still have to go through the process, but from what I’ve seen so far, you certainly are doing better.”

Tamako nodded. “Thanks.”

The lawyer nodded back. “I will get in contact with them immediately. We should hear from them soon.”

“Thank you,” Tamako said. They shook hands, and Tamako left, feeling more confident than she had been in a long time.

A little later, the doorbell rang at the Minamoto residence. Lena opened the door. She saw it was Akechi. “GORO!” she rushed in for a hug. Akechi was surprised. However, he hugged back. Lena took her head out of Akechi’s chest and looked up at him and smiled.

Akechi smiled back. “Well, shall we get going?” Lena nodded. They got out of their hug and held hands as they left. Akechi informed her “Well, I should start with the actual investigation work. What can you tell me about the Phantom Thieves?”

Lena averted her gaze. “Honestly, not much…” she answered. “I just saw that they sent mom a calling card yesterday morning. Yesterday evening, she was feeling a little under the weather, so I took care of her. And this morning, she was feeling better and apologized to me and explained to me what was going on with her.”

“I see…” Akechi said.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more use,” Lena lamented.

“It’s quite alright,” Akechi said. “Every little bit helps.” Akechi took out his notebook and scribbled down the information he was provided. He put it away. “Well then, I suppose we should continue from where we left off.”

Lena smiled and nodded. “I’d like that.” The two continued their date, going to all sorts of places around Tokyo.

Meanwhile, Ren had returned to Leblanc for the evening. When she got to her room, she was shocked to see Eris sitting on her bed. “GAH!” she gasped. She glared at Eris. “What do you want?”

“My my, so cold,” Eris said. “I just wanted to say thank you. After all, you managed to change the heart of someone I couldn’t target. So I figured congratulations are in order.”

“Why did you help us?” Ren wondered.

“Like I said, I was unable to target them,” Eris replied. “I get nothing out of a palace that exists without the possibility of causing chaos. So, by shaking things up, you’ve caused some chaos for me.”

“I do remember you saying you don’t care what happens as long as things get shaken up,” Ren commented.

“See?” Eris said. “Now, I feel like if we can just work out our differences, we can change the world together!” Ren glared at her. “Of course, you don’t appear to be onboard with my idea.”

Ren shook her head. She then thought about something. “Do you mind if I ask you something?”

“By all means,” Eris answered.

“Why is it that you couldn’t target anyone but Lena?” Ren wondered.

“Oooo, good question, Eris said. “However, the answer is complicated.”

“Complicated how?” Ren asked.

“Well, I can’t know what never happened, can I?” Eris shot back.

Ren was confused. “But don’t you have some time powers or something?” she asked, not entirely sure what she was asking herself.

“You’re sort of right,” Eris answered. “Chaos exists always, and as its emissary, I have knowledge of the past, present, and future.”

“So, you should know how this all ends,” Ren inquired.

“Well, no,” Eris replied. “Just because I have the knowledge, doesn’t mean I know how to use it. You see, there are infinite possibilities. Let’s take why I couldn’t target the latest palace ruler as an example. There are several possibilities why I could only target your new friend, but because I’m confined to this timeline, where none of those possibilities came to fruition, I don’t have an answer for you.”

“That doesn’t sound very emissary of chaos-y,” Ren snarked.

“Believe me, there is a lot you don’t know about the chaos things could devolve into,” Eris told her. “Any answer I could give you as to what was going to happen could be right or wrong, since it never happened.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So, you admit that when you say I will join your ranks, it could be wrong?”

“Well, that’s more wishful thinking than anything else,” Eris said. “However, I know that if we team up, there is nothing we couldn’t do. What have you got to lose?”

Ren paused for a moment. “Myself.”

“Well, losing yourself to the chaos doesn’t sound bad to me at all,” Eris said.

“And THAT is where we disagree,” Ren shot back.”

“Very well,” Eris said. “But just be aware, I keep giving you the choice. Those who wish to see you lost in order won’t give you such a luxury.”

“Well then, I’ll just take said luxury,” Ren said. “After all, I am a Phantom Thief.”

“Hm hm hm hm hm,” Eris chuckled. “You never cease to amaze me.”

Hunger-Eris: 5

Eris disappears. Ren sighed. Morgana popped out. “Are you feeling alright?” he asked.

“Let me just get changed and I’ll tell you,” she answered. Morgana agreed, and they spent the night talking about the conversation Ren had with Eris before going to sleep.

Meanwhile, Lena and Akechi were at a sushi place. “Well, I think this is a good place to cap off our date, isn’t it?” Akechi said.

“Yeah,” Lena answered. She looked a bit distant.

Akechi noticed this. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“Well…” Lena said. “Why did you agree to go out with me?” she asked. Akechi was surprised by the question. “I mean, I’m grateful and all, but… I mean, we’ve mostly talked through our phones. I just…”

Akechi smiled. “It’s quite alright,” he said. “I get it might be a bit difficult. After all, you are a transfer student here. You’re in a place that you’re not quite used to, away from everything you know. Plus, until today, you were being manipulated and controlled by someone who was supposed to be taking care of you. But I feel like that might be a contributing factor.”

Lena was surprised. “How come?”

“Well, I’ve told you that I didn’t have the most ideal circumstances growing up,” Akechi said. “So I feel like in a way, we can relate to each other easier. Plus, I feel that because of that, it helps you see me as an actual person, which I appreciate. I’ve had countless women asking me out while only seeing what they see in public.” Lena pouted. Akechi giggled. “Don’t be jealous.”

“Well…” Lena said. “To be honest, before you even showed up to try and help my mom, I started to fall for you because of one of your public appearances,” she admitted. “Maybe I’m just as bad as them.”

“Well, that’s how a lot of relationships start,” Akechi said. Lena was confused. “You have this idea of what this other person is like, and based on that, you wish to get to know them better. It wouldn’t be fair to say that you’re just like everyone else in that sense. Besides, you had the sense to not ask me out when I miraculously showed up at your door. Not everyone has that type of self-control.”

“I guess…” Lena said.

“Continuing on,” Akechi said, “I find it incredibly easy to talk with you. Our text message conversations might seem a bit informal and unorthodox, but they mean everything to me. I feel like I can come to you with anything, and I think you feel the same. It’s something I can count on. No matter what kind of day I’m having, if I see you messaging me, it gets instantly better.”

Lena slightly blushed and smiled. “Goro…”

Akechi nodded. “Plus, I think you’re incredibly cute.”

“Eh?” Lena said, her face getting redder.

“Now then,” Akechi said. He took a piece of sushi and offered to feed it to Lena.

“EH?!” Lena said, even more aghast. Luckily for Akechi, her mouth was open wide enough that he could place the sushi in it. He then lifted her chin to close her mouth. Lena chewed and swallowed the sushi, still in disbelief this was happening.

Akechi chuckled. “Like I said, incredibly cute.” Lena got a little angry. “Aw, I’d thought you’d like that.” Lena wasn’t saying anything to him. Akechi leaned in closer. “I’m sor-” Before he could finish, Lena smirked, and pulled him in for a kiss. Akechi’s face was now all red. “I…er…wha?”

Lena giggled. “I think you’re incredibly cute too.”

Akechi smiled. “You never cease to amaze me.” Lena giggled. The two continued eating.

As Akechi was taking Lena home, Lena leaned up against him. “Thanks for everything,” she said.

“It’s my pleasure,” Akechi said. They arrived at her home. “Well, here we are. Good night.”

“Good night,” Lena said back. The two stood there for a bit in an awkward silence. They pulled into each other and shared another kiss.

“Well well,” Tamako said, appearing before the. The couple stopped. “It seems we have us some lovebirds.”

“Well…that’s…um…” Lena said, getting flustered.

“Eh heh,” Akechi chuckled, feeling similar.

Tamako chuckled. “Why don’t you come inside?”

“Well, it is a bit late, actually,” Akechi said. “But perhaps I could stop by tomorrow?”

Tamako nodded. “Very well.”

Akechi turned back to Lena. “Good night…again.”

Lena chuckled. “Good night.” Akechi walked off back to his place.

“So, Akechi-kun, huh,” Tamako said.

“Um…yeah…” Lena said, her face flushed.

Tamako chuckled. “Well, I think you two make a lovely pair.”

“...Thanks,” Lena said. The two women entered their house for the night. For the first time for the two of them, it was a house of peace and love.

Chapter 110: Justice on the Horizon

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, there was a knock at the door of the Minamoto residence. Tamako answered it to find Akechi. “Akechi-kun,” she said. “Come on in.”

“Thank you, Miss Minamoto,” Akechi said.

“I think we’re well past the point of ‘Miss Minamoto, now, aren’t we?” Tamako said.

“Forgive me,” Akechi said. “My presence here today is of an official capacity.”

“Oh?” Tamako said.

“If it’s all the same to you, I wish to discuss this inside,” Akechi said.

“Of course, come on in,” Tamako said. Akechi walked in. “LENA! YOUR BOYFRIEND IS HERE!” Akechi got caught off guard and a little embarrassed by that. Lena came down, also slightly embarrassed. The three of them sat at the table. “So, what is this about?”

Akechi got out his notebook. “Lena told me that The Phantom Thieves paid you a visit.”

Tamako was surprised. “Sorry,” Lena said. “I didn’t know how else to explain it.”

“It is quite a drastic change,” Akechi said. “I probably could have guessed it.” After a minute of silence, Tamako said “Well, I wasn’t actually going to deny it.” Lena sighed. Tamako continued “I take it you want answers.”

Akechi nodded. “If you don’t mind.”

Tamako nodded back. “Before continuing, I wish to explain that I do not harbor a grudge against the Phantom Thieves.”

“I was going to ask you about that, actually,” Akechi said. “The more publicly known targets, Kamoshida, Madarame, and Kaneshiro, were more consumed by their actions to comment on such ideas. However, a fair amount of the smaller targets are grateful towards the Thieves, even in cases where the target was arrested or otherwise punished.”

“I see,” Tamako said.

“Now, Lena told me her own point of view,” Akechi said, “but I want to hear it from you. Now, what can you tell me about what happened?”

Tamako looked dour. “Well, as you probably know, I haven’t been entirely myself for a little while now.”

“Unfortunately, yes,” Akechi lamented.

“My point being that it is in the framework of not being all put together all of this is going to be in,” Tamako explained. “I know you have your reservations regarding the Phantom Thieves, but in my opinion, I was more lost before they intervened.”

“Of course,” Akechi said.

“So, after I interrupted your date,” Tamako began, “I took Lena home as fast as I could. However, that evening, I think I started feeling a strange sensation in my soul.”

“And you presume that to be The Phantom Thieves?” Akechi inquired.

“It’s just a hunch,” Tamako said. “I mean, I had no idea what it was at the time, but after I had read the calling card, it made sense for it to be them.”

“I see,” Akechi said. “Tell me, did you notice anything unusual beforehand?”

Tamako shook her head. “I would tell you if I had. I’m always on the search for something unusual, and even moreson before the Phantom Thieves intervened.”

“Sorry, you’re still looking out for things?” Akechi wondered.

Tamako nodded. “My husband was killed in broad daylight, and he was an influential politician. His killer has yet to be caught. You don’t need to be Japan’s Second Detective Prince to do the math on that one.”

“Hmmm,” Akechi said. “I see. Well, I wish I could help, but since I am Japan’s Second Detective Prince, I’ve done some additional calculus, and I assume any official means to mitigate that would not be appreciated.”

“Correct,” Tamako said.

“Huh?” Lena wondered, feeling lost.

Tamako turned to her. “Basically, I think the police are in on the murder of my husband, so while Akechi would love to provide me a bodyguard, I would rather not.”

“Oh…” Lena said, understanding.

“Getting back to the matter at hand,” Akechi said, “you noticed nothing unusual between taking Lena home and when you started feeling that sensation you mentioned?”

“Like I said, no,” Tamako explained. “It was just people coming and going, which usually happens since we’re so close to Central Street. And then when we got home, I was cooking dinner after sending Lena to her room. She put one of her cat videos on.”

“Eh?” Lena said, surprised.

“Did you not?” Tamako asked.

Lena was stunned. After a few seconds, she said  “I mean…I did…but…you heard that?”

“Yeah,” Tamako said. “Why?”

“Because you told me not to make a sound,” Lena said.

“I did?” Tamako said. “Ugh. I don’t remember. I was too worried about everything to focus on that, I guess.”

“I see,” Akechi said. “Let’s continue. How long did you feel this sensation?”

“Until the evening I had gotten the calling card,” Tamako answered. “There were varied levels of intensity between when I first dragged Lena back and receiving said card. But when I got the calling card, the sensation was amplified. Hours later, the sensation dissipated, and I could feel a change manifesting inside me. But it came on a little suddenly, and overwhelmed me.

I had to rest, and Lena did help me, and by the next morning, I felt better. I finally understood what I was doing, and what I was becoming. I’ve been taking strides to fix everything now that everything is clear in my mind.”

“I see,” Akechi reacted. He finished taking notes. “Is there anything else you can recall?”

“Not really,” Tamako said.

“Alright then. May I at least look at the calling card?” Akechi asked.

Tamako got up. “Just a second.” She came back with the card. “Here.” She set it in front of Akechi.

Akechi took a picture of each side of the calling card, and then read the contents. “Hmmm, interesting.”

“What is?” Tamako wondered.

“This is the first time I’ve seen a physical calling card without a reference to a third party,” Akechi stated. Tamako and Lena were a bit confused. “See, for Kamoshida, Madarame, and Kaneshiro, the calling cards mention someone else aside from the Phantom Thieves targeting the person the card was addressed to. This is the first card I’ve seen without something like that.”

“What about the non-major cases?” Lena wondered.

“Well, those didn’t have any mention of someone trying to target the person the Phantom Thieves targeted,” Akechi explained, “but they didn’t really have any physical cards either; Just declarations online. This is certainly an unusual case.”

“You’re determined to solve it, aren’t you?” Tamako said.

“By all means,” Akechi said. Tamako stared at him intently. “Is something the matter?”

“I know it’s been a bit since you lived at the orphanage,” Takamo said, “but I do know you pretty well. You’re very clever and self-determined.”

“Why thank you,” Akechi said.

“However, because of how precocious you are, you have a tendency to not notice whenever you’re in over your head,” Tamako continued. “I know you need to be true to yourself, and I know you’ve grown smarter as time has passed, but listen to what I have to say.

Firstly, I don’t wish to press charges against The Phantom Thieves. Second, The Phantom Thieves are currently embroiled in a war with Medjed, and something tells me that it’s going to spiral into something bigger. I know how capable you are, and how popular you are, but you are only one person. Whatever the Phantom Thieves get into might be too big for even you to handle. So if you feel things are a bit too much, there is no shame in retreating.”

“I see,” Akechi said. “Well, I hate to disagree with you, but like you said, I’ve grown. I’m not some child anymore. I think I can handle whatever this case throws at me.”

“Dammit, Goro!” Tamako said, slamming her fist, while Lena and Akechi were stunned. “I’m sorry, but who do you think you’re talking to? My husband felt like he could handle whatever his run for PM could throw at him, and you know what happened to him.” Tamako sighed. “I just don’t want to lose you too.”

Akechi was taken aback by this act. “You’re right. I apologize,” he said. “I will think about what you said.”

Tamako sighed again. “Sorry. I guess I’m not as refreshed as I thought I was.”

“I assure you, you have nothing to apologize for,” Akechi said.

“He’s right,” Lena added. Tamako looked at her. “I know you’re worried about slipping back into your previous self, but as someone who’s been on the brunt end of it for a while now, that felt different. You actually opened up to him this time. You showed him that you care. Previously, these conversations were a one-way street. Also, I should thank you. I can’t imagine what you’ve been through, but I don't want to lose Akechi either…”

Tamako smiled. She gave Lena a quick hug, and then turned to Akechi. “You know, Lena here is something special. She’s kind, diligent, and forgave me when she had every right not to. Whatever you’re planning on doing, please consider her as well.”

Akechi was again shocked. He then nodded and said “I will.” He stood up and bowed. “Thank you for everything.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Tamako said. They shook hands, and Akechi left. “I should get going too. Are you going to be OK?”

“I think so,” Lena said. “That was a little intense.” “Well, the Phantom Thieves are a big case right now,” Tamako said. “I understand why Akechi is so invested.”

“Yeah…” Lena said.

Tamako caressed Lena’s face. “Don’t worry sweetie. Akechi can be a bit headstrong, but I know he will make the right decision.”

Lena smiled. “Thanks.”

Tamako nodded. “Well, I’m off. Have a good day.”

“You too!” Lena called out. Tamako waved and left. Lena got out her phone.

Lena: Do you still want to meet?

Sumire: Of course!

Makoto: We probably should.

Makoto: We have a lot to discuss.

Yusuke: Agreed.

Lena: OK then. Where should we meet?

Ren: Why don’t we just meet at Leblanc for now, and we’ll go from there?

Ren: Do you remember how to get there?

Lena: I…think so.

Ryuji: Do you want someone to come get you?

Ann: Maybe not you, Ryuji.

Ann: No offense, but your sense of direction is a bit questionable at times.

Ryuji: It’ll be fine.

Lena: I can get there myself.

Ryuji: OK then.

Jose: See you there!

Lena: Seeya!

Lena put her phone away, and then headed out to Leblanc.

A little while later, everyone had arrived at Leblanc. “Um, hi…” Lena said. “Erm, sorry, this is all a bit new for me.”

Ren chuckled. “You’re fine.”

“Hey,” Sojiro called out. “Are you going to have your little discussion here?”

“Um, we’re not sure yet, Boss,” Makoto said.

“Well, whatever you do, make your decision quickly,” Sojiro said. “Once you make your decision, I’m gonna lock up.”

Ren had an idea. “You’re going to look after Futaba, right?” Sojiro nodded. “Well, why don’t we do it?” Sojiro was surprised. “We could just order some food, chill, discuss things, and you can keep the cafe open.”

“Are you sure about that?” Sojiro asked. Ren nodded. “What about all of you?”

“I’m good with that,” Ryuji said.

“It does sound nice,” Yusuke said.

“Besides, you’ve closed off the cafe for us a lot recently,” Ann said. “I think we should return the favor.”

Sojiro smirked. “Hm. You’ve done more than enough. But if you insist.”

“Thanks Boss,” Ryuji said.

“Um, who’s Futaba?” Lena wondered, surprising everyone else.

“Oh yeah,” Jose said, “you weren’t there for any of that.”

“This did happen fairly quickly,” Sumire said.

“You’re telling me,” Ren said.

“Futaba’s my daughter,” Sojiro said.

“Oh,” Lena said, surprised.

“Currently, she’s resting after some incredibly strenuous events,” Sojiro added.

“What events?” Lena asked.

Ren smiled. “We’ll fill you in.” She stood up. “Come on, let’s not hold up Sojiro more than we have.” The thieves got up, and guided Lena to Sojiro’s house.

“So, where should we order from?” Jose asked.

“Good question,” Makoto replied. “Does anyone have any preferences?”

“I’m good with anything,” Yusuke said.

“Of course you are,” Ryuji remarked.

“I’m fine with anything too,” Sumire said. “Just so long as it provides the calories on the menu.”

“I think most places do that nowadays,” Ann said. “Which is helpful.”

“Not when you ignore it on the dessert menu,” Ryuji mumbled.

“What was that?” Ann asked.

“N-Nuthin’,” Ryuji answered, terrified.

“Well, we’re here,” Ren said in front of Sojiro’s house. “Let’s make our decision inside.” They headed in, and went into Futaba’s room.

Lena saw Futaba sleeping on her bed. “I take it this is Futaba,” Lena said.

“Yeah,” Ren answered. She gazed at Futaba a little bit. “Well, let’s figure out what we’re getting.” Ren had pulled up her phone, and everyone sat down. They soon agreed on where to order from, and what they wanted. “And done. It should be here in about half an hour.”

“Sweet,” Ryuji said. “I can’t wait.”

“In the meantime, we should start discussing things,” Makoto reminded them.

“Of course,” Sumire said.

“However, we do need an answer on something,” Yusuke said. “Everything else would be pointless otherwise.”

“True,” Makoto said.

Ren nodded. She turned to Lena. “Lena,” she began.

“Eh?” Lena said, wondering what was about to happen.

“Do you wish to join The Phantom Thieves full time?” Ren asked. Lena was a little surprised by the question. “I know it’s a lot to ask, and you don’t even have the full story, but you can say no if you wish.”

Lena pondered it for a few seconds. Determined, she answered “Yes. I would like to be part of the Phantom Thieves.” This surprised everyone just a bit. “I know I don’t have the full picture yet, but after everything I’ve seen, I want to help.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked.

Lena nodded. “Positive.”

Ren smiled. “Very well then.”

“So Lena,” Morgana said. “I’m assuming you have questions.”

“We have questions as well,” Yusuke said.

“Right…” Lena said.

“So, where should we start?” Ann asked.

“She knows a good bit about what we do as Phantom Thieves,” Jose said. “But not everything.”

Ren glanced over at Futaba again. “Let’s start with Futaba,” she said. “And then we’ll work from there. I’m sure Lena’s curious.” Lena nodded. “So, again, I think we should put the tiger on the table here: Futaba is The Original Medjed.”

Lena nodded along, but then asked “WHAT?! As in, the one that declared to eliminate Medjed and themselves?!”

“That’s right,” Ren said.

“But why?” Lena asked.

“Well, the answer is complicated,” Ren said. “For starters, she had a palace too.” Lena was stunned. “As far as palaces go, this one was like your mother’s in that it was brought to fruition by her own sadness and distrust, rather than a desire to harm others for their own benefit. However, it was much larger.”

“Futaba’s mom died two years ago,” Morgana explained. “She was shaken to her very core, and as a result, her palace formed.”

Lena was stunned silent. She looked at Futaba resting on her bed. “So, I take it you stole her treasure and that’s why she’s like this?”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“You learn fast,” Jose said.

A new question popped in Lena’s head. “Wait, so who did Eris use to target her palace?”

“Well, that’s the usual thing…” Ann said.

“She used Futaba herself,” Morgana answered.

“WHAT?!” Lena said. Morgana nodded. Lena thought about that for a moment. “Wait, but why didn’t she do that with my mother?” she asked. “Eris said I was the only one, right?”

“I…hadn’t thought of that…” Morgana said.

“I think that has to do with Futaba’s circumstances specifically,” Ren said.

“Oh?” Makoto wondered

“So far, Eris has targeted someone who holds disdain for the palace ruler,” Ren said. “Futaba was led to believe that she caused her mother’s death, so it made sense why she would hate herself. Tamako didn’t hold such feelings, rather distrusting everyone else.”

“I see….” Lena responded. “Why did she believe that though?”

“Because some jerks forged a suicide note,” Ryuji answered in a fury.

“WHAT?!” Lena said, joining in Ryuji’s fury. “How cruel!”

“All of that was sorted out when we went to steal her treasure, and she ended up joining us,” Yusuke said. “But still…”

“Right now, we’re just waiting for her to rest up so she can defeat Medjed,” Ann said.

“Wait, wouldn’t that involve…you know…?” Lena asked.

Ren shook her head. “She contacted us before Eris corrupted her. I imagine she has other ways of dealing with them.”

“I see,” Lena said. There was a knock at the door. “What was that?”

Ren checked her phone. “Oh, that was the delivery person. I’ll be right back.” Ren got up. A minute or two later, she came back with everyone’s food. “Alright, let’s dig in.” Together they split up their order and began eating.

“So, what about you, Lena?” Makoto wondered.

“Huh?” Len said with food in her mouth.

“ Yeah, we know some things about you,” Ann said, “but we’d like to get to know you better.”

Lena swallowed her food. “Oh, well, um, I’m not sure where to start.”

“You’re an exchange student, right?” Makoto said. “Why not go from there?”

“Oh, yeah,” Lena said. “I mean, I was born and raised in America. I have two younger sisters. They’re with my parents back home.”

“Why did you come to Japan?” Ann asked.

“Well, there are a few reasons,” Lena said. “For one thing, I wish to be a professional singer, singing at venues all around the world. So I figured I could get some worldly experience by participating in an exchange program.” Lena got a little embarrassed. “As for why Japan specifically…well…I’m actually a bit of an otaku…I really like anime, and manga, and video games…”

“Hm,” Yusuke said. “There’s nothing to be ashamed of. You are simply just following your heart. I only decided to be an artist after witnessing the Sayuri for the first time. There’s no shame in chasing your dreams.”

“While that’s true,” Makoto said, “there’s a bit more nuance than that…”

“Yeah, livin’ in Japan ain’t like some anime,” Ryuji said. “Despite everything happenin’ to us…”

“I think she knows that,” Morgana said. “She’s been living here for a while.”

Lena chuckled. “Thanks Morgana.”

Sumire giggled. “I like that stuff too,” she said.

“Same,” Jose said. “I don’t think I’ve found someone at school who doesn’t like it, at least to some extent.”

“True,” Ren said. “But I think someone here might give us all a run for our money.” Everyone else was a little confused. “Guys, look around.” They looked, and saw Futaba’s room was coated wall-to-wall with all sorts of pop culturey things. The others realized what she meant.

“So, why did you come to Shujin?” Ann asked Lena.

“Well, that wasn’t necessarily my choice,” Lena said. “I was hoping for a more art-focused school, but this was the first school that would accept exchange students.”

“Interesting,” Yusuke said. “Kosei does have an exchange program, but I guess it just didn’t reach out enough.”

“Well, Shujin accepted me too,” Ren said. “I suspect that they might be more desperate for students.”

“I guess…” Makoto relented.

“Um, why would accepting you be an issue?” Lena asked.

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “I’ve been arrested.”

“Huh?!” Lena reacted.

Ren chuckled. “It’s a bit of a story. You see, one night, someone was forcing this woman into her car. I intervened, and he fell due to being drunk. He then told some cops I assaulted him, and I was arrested.”

Lena was stunned. “...Wow.”

“Psh,” Ryuji scoffed. “No matter how many times I hear it, it STILL pisses me off.”

“Is that why you started the Phantom Thieves?” Lena asked.

“Well…not really…” Ren said, stunned at the question. “But it is sometimes funny how life has ways of working out, isn’t it? I mean, if I wasn’t here, you might still be practically under house arrest yourself.”

“I guess…” Lena admitted. “But you didn’t need to go through all of that.”

Ren grinned. “It’s fine. I mean everyone I care about knows I didn’t do it. And honestly, I think living here definitely has its upsides. Of course, I wouldn’t choose for it to happen, but you gotta make the best of a bad situation.”

Lena was impressed by Ren’s answer. She smiled and nodded. “I understand. So, why did you start The Phantom Thieves?”

“Well, that’s a bit complicated,” Ren said. “For starters, it wasn’t technically my idea. I was given the powers of the Phantom Thieves by some beings who wish to see humanity prosper. I was given them to stop Eris.”

“Huh,” Lena said, taken aback.

“Are you understanding everything so far?” Morgana asked. Lena nodded.

“Well, she’s already gotten the crash course,” Ren reminded him.

“True,” Morgana said.

Ren turned back to Lena. “What had happened was Eris had taken over plans set in motion by this other being and bent them to her will. This original being wanted to impose strict order, while Eris wants to cause uncontrolled chaos. However, she is giving us a chance to stop her, but it’s still a tough war to fight.”

“While we do air on the side of chaos,” Makoto informed, “Eris’s brand revolves around wanton murder and destruction, as well as the loss of what make a person themselves.”

“But we aren’t going to let that happen!” Ann said.

“Besides, we don’t like people tellin’ us what to do,” Ryuji added. “Even if they claim to be on our side.”

“We forge our own path!” Morgana cheered.

Lena chuckled. The others were confused. “Oh, sorry,” Lena said. “I wasn’t laughing at you. It’s just…you reminded me of Goro just now.”

“Goro?” Ryuji wondered.

“Akechi,” Makoto informed him.

“Oh,” Ryuji said.

“You two are dating, right?” Ren asked.

“How did that happen?” Sumire wondered.

Lena was blushing. “Huh? Oh, um, well, Goro first arrived at my place to check on my mother…”

It flashes back to Lena, crying in her room. “I was having a particularly hard day,” present Lena explained. The sounds of knocking could be heard. Past Lena stopped crying and went to the door, confused.

When she opened the door, she was greeted with a surprised Akechi. “Huh? I’m sorry, I must have the wrong address.” He went to look at some notes.

“I was awestruck,” present Lena said. “I had seen him on TV a few times before. He talked about the importance of staying true to yourself and holding on to hope, even when it seemed bleak. That kind of resonated with me, you know? Anyway, I wanted to know what was up, as well as maybe talk to him more, so I asked…”

“Um, who are you looking for?”

Akechi looked up. “Hm? Oh, I’m looking for a woman named Tamako Minamoto. I guess she just moved or something.”

Past Lena shook her head. “You have the right address. She’s my mother.”

“I’m sorry?!” Akechi said, with a shocked look on his face.

Past Lena smiled. “Come on in.” Akechi was still shocked, but curious.

“I explained my situation to him,” present Lena explained.

“Ah, so you’re an exchange student, and Tamako agreed to host you,” Akechi surmised. “You had me confused for a second. Tamako is an old friend of mine, so to see she had a daughter around my age that I didn’t know about, well that would just be…”

Past Lena chucked. “Sorry.”

Akechi smiled. “My name is Goro Akechi.”

Past Lena nodded. “I’m…aware…”

Akechi chuckled. “RIght. So, what is your name?” he asked.

“Lena,” she answered.

“Lena…?” Akechi wondered. Lena was perplexed. “I assume since you’re an exchange student, your last name isn’t Minamoto.”

“Oh, that,” past Lena said. “Well, my last name is a bit difficult for Japanese people to pronounce, so I do just say my last name is Minamoto.”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“I was wondering about that,” Yusuke interrupted.

“Ooo, can I try?” Ann said. “I’m part American, so maybe I can say it!”

“Well…” Lena pondered. “Alright then.” She got up and whispered her last name to Ann.

Ann grew confused and frustrated. She eventually gave up. “Sorry… It’s just like she said.”

Lena giggled. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “As you were saying…”

“Oh, right, “Lena said. She sat back down with her food. “Well…”

Back in the story, Akechi nodded. “Very well then. Lena Minamoto, it is.” Past Lena giggled. “So, do you know when she’ll get back?”

“No clue,” past Lena informed him. Akechi grew frustrated. “Why are you visiting her?”

Akechi looked at Lena. “Well, I just wanted to make sure everything was alright. She hasn’t been herself for quite some time, and I just want to see if she’s doing OK.” But since she’s taken you in, maybe she’s gotten better.”

“I don’t know…” past Lena said. “Unless by ‘better’ you mean ‘basically keeping me in here unless I’m at school and forcing me not to have any sustained friendships’.”

Akechi was shocked. “No. No, that's not better at all. Huh.” He smiled. “Well then, I guess I’ll have to take it upon myself to fix things.” Lena was curious. “For starters, why don’t we exchange numbers? That way, we can keep in contact. You can inform me on how she’s doing, and I can keep you company.”

Lena smiled and took out her phone. They exchanged numbers. “Alright then. Now then, I will see what I can do to try and alleviate this mess. Until next time.” He started getting up.

“I was panicking,” present Lena explained. “This was my first sustained interaction I had with someone my age since I got to Japan, and I didn’t want it to end. So, I just blurted out…”

“WAIT!” Akechi halted. “Um, she’s going to be out a bit longer. Do you think we can continue talking?”

Akechi was a little stunned, but smiled and said “I have time.” He sat back down.

Present Lena continued “We talked about all sorts of things. It ranged from serious stuff, like his cases, and his background at my mom’s orphanage, to more casual things, like our favorite foods, and of course some otaku things. However…”

In the story, Tamako opened the door to see Lena and Akechi talking, surprising all three of them. Akechi tried to remain civil. “Why, hello-”

“GET OUT!” Tamako yelled. “JUDAS! GET OUT!”

“Erm…” Akechi said, not knowing what to do.

“I’ll call the police to make you leave!” Tamako yelled.

Akechi realized what was happening. “Very well.” He got up and walked out.

Tamako glared at Lena. “Why did you let him in?!” she screamed.

“He said he was a friend of yours…” past Lena meekly answered.

“WAS!” Tamako said. “Now he’s TAINTED! Now go to your room!” Lena got a little sad, but did as she was told. As she was almost to her room, she got a message.

Goro: She didn’t make us delete our numbers from each other’s phones.

Goro: Rest assured, I will fix this.

Lena smiled and blushed.

Lena: Thanks.

She entered her room.

“And we just kept talking from that day on,” Lena said, wrapping up the story. “One of those days, I asked him to be my boyfriend, and to my surprise, he said ‘yes’.”

“How sweet,” Ann said.

“Huh. Even someone like Akechi has that side to him,” Jose mused.

Sumire chuckled. “I’ve known Akechi for a little while. He can be really kind. However, even I’m a little surprised to see him dating someone.”

“I think I get it,” Ren said.

“How do you know Goro?” Lena wondered.

“Oh, my father produces Good Morning Japan,” Sumire explained. “Sometimes when Akechi is invited to be on, he and I talk.”

“Oh, I see,” Lena said.

Sumire chuckled. “You don’t need to worry. I’m already dating someone. Besides, I don’t know if Akechi and I would be good for each other.”

Lena was a little embarrassed. “Sorry.”

“You’re good,” Sumire replied.

Lena giggled. “Well, whoever you’re going out with, I can’t wait to meet them.” The room was stunned silent. “What?”

“Well, um…” Sumire said.

Ren leaned forward. “She’s dating me.”

Lena was a little stunned at first, but smiled and said “Oh. Cool. I’m bisexual myself.” The room calmed down a little.

“Me too,” Sumire said.

“I’m not,” Ren said. “I’m just a lesbian.”

“Does Akechi know that you’re bisexual?” Jose wondered, surprising the room again. “It’s just, I learned that humans work best with each other if they are open and honest.”

Lena smiled. “He knows, and he’s fine with it.”

“Sorry,” Ann said. “Like we said, Jose is from the Metaverse, so he can be a bit blunt sometimes.”

“Human codes of conduct are odd,” Jose said. “But I’m learning.”

Lena chuckled. “I don’t mind.”

“I haveta apologize too,” Ryuji said. Lena was puzzled. “I kind of just ignored you, cause to me you were just ‘Akechi Fan #1’. And before that, I was kind of dealin’ with my own shit. I should have known something was up.”

Lena smiled. “It’s fine. After all, you came through in the end.”

“She’s right, you know,” Ren said. “You’re the one that managed to spot Lena in trouble in the first place.”

“Well, that was just right place, right time, ya know?” Ryuji countered.

“True, but that’s not so bad,” Ren retorted. “After all, as we discussed earlier, wrong place, wrong time led to all of us becoming friends eventually.”

Ryuji smiled. “Ha ha, yeah.”

“Oh yeah, that reminds me,” Makoto said. “We should tell her.”

“Tell me what?” Lena wondered.

“Well, we can’t say for certain,” Maoto said, “but remember how we told you something might have happened to your mom if we didn’t intervene?” Lena nodded. “Well, we aren’t certain of why, but Akechi said he was going to do something…”

Lena went pale. “You don’t think…?”

“I actually don’t,” Ren informed everyone.

“Are you talking about what happened last night?” Morgana wondered.

Ren shook her head. “Although, I should tell you all that as well. I had another visit from Eris.” The room was stunned. “I tried getting an answer out of her about this, but it was inconclusive. It’s a little complicated, but she said that since the future is infinite, any future she could see might be ours, but she doesn’t know until it happens.”

“That’s…what?” Ann said.

“Trust me, I’m having difficulty wrapping my mind around it too,” Ren said. “But my new theory actually came to me before then.” The room was intrigued again. “Remember when we were fighting her? We had her on the back foot, and then she believed she was going to die.”

“I think I get what you mean,” Makoto said. “You’re saying that if the orphanage was taken away, she would have gone into shock and died naturally?”

“Right…” Ren said.

“Well, it’s a good thing we stole her treasure, right?” Ann said, trying to lighten the mood.

“But speaking of stealing her treasure,” Lena said. “I did have to tell Goro that it was…us. Huh. That felt good. But yeah, he knows and he came by to ask some questions today.”

“How did that go?” Jose asked.

“Well, there were some things that stuck out to me,” Lena said. “For starters, mom actually thanks you for making her a target.”

“Well, the feeling is mutual,” Ryuji said.

“Um, let’s see…” Lena said. “My mother said she could feel the presence of the Phantom Thieves in the palace.”

“Huh?!” Makoto panicked.

“She didn’t know what it was,” Lena said. “She was just kind of guessing.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Morgana said.

“Oh, right,” Lena said. “She did hear you when you came into my room Morgana, but she thought it was a cat video I had put on.”

“WHAT?!” Morgana said, incensed.

“Don’t worry,” Jose said, petting Morgana. “It worked out in the end.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “It’s like you distributing the calling cards to Madarame; only you could have done such a thing.”

“Thanks…?” Morgana said, unsure how to feel.

“Anything else?” Ann wondered.

“Well, Akechi noticed that this case was a bit unusual,” Lena said.

“It was unusual from our end too,” Ren agreed.

“The last thing that happened was that my mother became worried,” Lena said.

“About what?” Sumire wondered. 

“Well,” Lena began, “she feels like the Phantom Thieves might get into some more dangerous territory. She was worried that if Akechi keeps following you, he might end up in over his head too.”

The others looked at each other. They looked back at Lena. “Actually, she might not be wrong…” Ann said.

“Eh?” Lena said.

Ren grew serious. “Futaba’s mom was a scientist. She was studying the subject of cognitive psience. Cognitive psience is basically the metaverse, and how it can be affected. Through exploring Futaba’s palace, we believe that her research was stolen and she was killed.”

Lena was scared. “Who would do such a thing?”

“The same people who would blame a child for their mother’s death,” Ren answered, horrifying Lena more. “We think the people that did all of that are also behind the psychotic breakdowns. We believe our continued investigation of and opposition to Eris will eventually lead us to them.”

“We don’t know much about them,” Makoto infomed Lena. “However, if they can do all of that with impunity, we can only assume that we’re dealing with some real heavy hitters.”

“Knowing all of this, are you still interested in joining up?” Ren asked again.

Lena remembered what Tamako said about how she believed the police might be involved in her husband’s death. She looked over her new friends. Determined, she answered “Yes. I know Goro is your rival, and I’m dating him, and he wouldn't like this. But just as he has to stay true to his justice, I have to stay true to mine. And right now, my justice is telling me to side with the Phantom Thieves.”

Ren smirked. “Well then, pleasure to have you, Cupid.”

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 6

They continued talking for a bit and finished eating. Once evening struck, they decided to head home. These past few days had been wild, and they were concerned about what the future holds, but for now, they went home to rest.

Meanwhile, Akechi was in his apartment, looking over everything he had on the Phantom Thieves. Unbeknownst to him, as he was pondering, Eris was watching him from the shadows. Akechi sighed. “Perhaps tomorrow will yield better results.” As he got ready for bed, Eris disappeared.

Notes:

The mini-arc is over, and we have a new team member. Now all we gotta do is wait for Futaba to wake up. I am actually pretty eager to get into what's next. However, I might put it off for a bit, just to take a break from this story. I say "might" because who knows? But I do want to work on others things. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 111: Looking Up

Notes:

So, it wasn't as much of a break as I thought. But then again, this is kind of my comfort story to write, so. There might be a bigger break as we get closer to The Clense and all that, but who knows. Anyways, I hope you enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, as Ren was getting ready, she noticed her phone was lighting up with messages from the group chat. She picked up her phone.

Lena: Hey everyone.

Lena: I know we did something yesterday, but, well, I still want to do something today too.

Lena: I mean, I haven’t really been allowed out much, and there’s so much I want to do!

Ann: Sorry. I’d love to, but I’m having family over soon, and we need to prepare.

Ryuji: Yeah, I’m working on somethin’ of my own too.

Yusuke: I’d go, but Makoto has asked me to do something with her.

Lena: Oh. Are you two going out as well?

Yusuke: Strictly speaking, no.

Makoto: I just needed help with something, and he seemed like the best available option.

Yusuke: Makoto is quite crafty; matched only by her particularity.

Sumire: I can’t either.

Sumire: I have to practice my gymnastics.

Ren: Right, what day is that again?

Sumire: It’s the 30th.

Ren: Great! I can’t wait.

Ren: In the meantime though, I can keep you company, Lena.

Lena: Really?

Ren: Yeah. I got nothing better to do.

Lena: Yippie!

Ren: Are you up for joining us, Jose?

Yusuke: I think he might still be sleeping.

Jose: No, I just got up.

Yusuke: Oh…

Jose: I’m still a little tired though.

Jose: You can go without me.

Ren: Maybe next time.

Lena: I’ll just meet you at Leblanc then, I guess.

Ren: Sounds good.

A little while later, Lena showed up. “Welcome,” Ren said. Lena waved back. “So, where do you want to go?”

Lena thought about it for a moment. “I’m not sure. There’s so many places I’d love to go. I can’t decide.

Ren thought about it a bit too. She smiled. “I know what we should do.” “Really?” Lena asked.

Ren nodded. “We should go on a SHOPPING TRIP!”

“Eh?” Lena said, confused.

Ren chuckled. “C’mon! It’ll be fun. Besides, I think since you can go out now, you should do it in style!”

Lena welled up. “You…you don’t think I’m stylish now?”

“No, sorry, sorry,” Ren said. “I didn’t mean that. You’re very stylish. I just-” Lena chuckled. Ren caught on to what Lena was doing. “Hm. Man you’re good at that.”

“Thanks,” Lena said, playfully.

Ren shook her head. “So, do you want to, or…?”

“Huh?” Lena said. “Oh yeah, that sounds really fun!”

Ren nodded. “Alright then. Let’s go!” The two girls headed out. Ren led Lena to where Ann usually likes to shop. “Well, here we are.”

Lena was surprised. “Woah.”

“Let’s head in, shall we?” Ren invited.

Lena nodded her head. “Let’s.” Together, they entered. They perused the store, looking through several racks of clothes.

Lena soon found a flowy purple dress with a yellow floral and vine pattern on it and was taken in. Ren noticed this, and walked up to her. “You find something you like?”

“Huh?” Lena said, snapping back to reality. “Oh, yeah, I really love it. But…”

Ren was confused. “But what?”

“Well…” Lena said. “Purple is my favorite color, but Goro says his favorite color is blue. So I’m wondering if I should get something blue…”

“Hm, is that all?” Ren said. “Listen, I might not know a whole lot about your relationship specifically, but I do know this: if you like someone, it’s not because they are you, it’s because they are them.” Ren paused. “Wow, sorry, that was a little confusing.”

Lena chuckled. “No, I think I get it. You’re saying I should be myself.”

“Exactly,” Ren said, relieved she understood.

Lena looked at the dress again. She smiled. “Alright, I’m gonna get it!” She folded it in her arms, and the two continued shopping.

Once they finished, they looked over what the other had gotten. “I don’t know what you’re so worried about,” Ren said. “You practically bought an outfit every color of the rainbow.”

Lena chuckled. “I guess you're right. But you on the other hand… Your selection is a little more muted.”

“Well, what can I say?” Ren said. “I like wearing darker clothes.”

“It just feels a little contrarian,” Lena said. “Er, what I mean is, you just have this huge positive aura, and black, well…”

Ren giggled. “I get it. But I think that’s part of it. I’ve always been sort of an outsider. I’ve never fit in with the crowd. But I don’t need to. So long as I do what I can to make me happy, then the people that make me happy will see past the darkness into the light.”

Lena was shook. “Woah.”

“Eh, heh,” Ren chuckled. “Sorry. Was that a bit too much for you?”

Lena shook her head. “It’s fine. I get it. It’s sort of like how some animals will sometimes make themselves appear to be something dangerous to dissuade predators.”

Ren chuckled. “Someone’s been paying attention in class.”

“Well, I mean, I doubt Goro would like me if I was failing…” Lena said. She realized she said that. “Oh, I did it again, didn’t I?”

Ren noticed they were still in front of the shops. “We should probably find somewhere else to speak.” Lena nodded. They left the shop.

Soon after, as Lena was looking around, she found a crepe stand. “Ooo!” she said. “Let’s go there!”

Ren looked over. “Hm. You and Ann would get along swimmingly.”

“Huh?” Lena wondered.

Ren giggled. “She has an insatiable sweet tooth.”

“Oh,” Lena said. “Well, I guess that’s something we have in common.” They giggled and headed over together. Once they had their crepes, Lena took a bite. “Delicious!” Ren giggled. Lena frowned somewhat. “About what I said earlier…”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “You were just trying to make a joke.”

“But between all that, what happened with my host mom, and me being an exchange student in general…” Lena trailed. She sighed. “I guess I’m more worried about fitting in than I thought.”

“Well I mean, you already have us,” Ren said. “Plus there’s also Akechi, and I assume your mom’s gotten better.” Lena nodded. “The point is, you have people in your corner.”

“Yeah…” Lena said. “But… It's just a lot, you know?”

“Yeah,” Ren admitted. “Like I said I was never the most popular person. However, there’s no sense in worrying about things you can’t control.”

Lena smiled. “You’re right. But I do want to be more sure of myself. I mean, despite everything, I’m still here, right? I didn’t accept Eris’s offer to betray who I am, and I didn’t let my mom squeeze out my happiness despite her best efforts.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

Lena sighed. “I’m still a little worried though. Despite having been here for months, it feels like I finally just arrived, and the emotional jet lag has kicked in.”

“Well, I’m sure as time marches on, you’ll fit right in,” Ren said. “Besides, you have us.” Ren smiled. “You know, I only know about those stores because of Ann.”

“Really?” Lena said.

Ren nodded. “When I first got here, I felt alone too. But I soon made friends with Ann, and, well, we’ve been giving each other strength since. It’s not just her though, everyone I’ve met here who I consider my friend has helped me just as much as I’ve helped them. So, what I’m saying is, I know it can be troubling at first, but pretty soon, you’ll shine as brightly as me. Maybe even more so.”

Lena was slightly embarrassed. She smiled and said. “Thanks.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Adjustment Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Adjustment-Lena Minamoto: Rank 1

The girls finished their crepes and headed their separate ways.

Later that evening, Ren got a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: How did your family’s trip go?

Ren: It went really well.

Yoshida: Splendid.

Yoshida: Are you available tonight?

Ren: Yeah.

Yoshida: Very well.

Yoshida: See you soon.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and headed out to meet Yoshida.

Once she arrived, Yoshida greeted her with a hearty “Ah, Amamiya-chan! Wonderful to see you.”

“Likewise,” Ren responded.

Yoshida grew a little serious. “Apparently, something’s happening after my speech tonight.”

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

Yoshida nodded. “Remember when Matsushita told me that Kuramoto’s grandson was going to contact me?” Ren nodded. “Well, he made good on that promise and wants to meet with me tonight. I was wondering if you would accompany me.”

Ren smiled. “Of course.”

“Splendid,” Yoshida said. “Well then, let’s get started, shall we?

 Ren nodded. Ren went to pick up the sign. “Tonight’s Topic: The Social Healing Process.” Ren was intrigued. “Hm.”

“People of Tokyo!” Yoshida began. “The Phantom Thieves are still embroiled in their war with Medjed. However, while we wait to see what happens, let us reflect on what they have taught us.

The Phantom Thieves have uncovered evils dwelling within our society, both large and small. These evils had been with us for quite some time now. However, once the Phantom Thieves uncovered them, actions were taken to make sure that those who were responsible were punished justly. But the battle doesn’t end there.

In truth, once said evils have been exposed, we can begin to heal. For some of the smaller targets, the healing process can be done quickly However, for the larger targets, some of the damage done is lasting, and healing can take a long time. In fact, some of the wounds inflicted might never fully heal.

However, this is where we come in! We as citizens must be able to help our victimized population in the face of such grotesque evils! It might seem like the victims themselves are the only ones involved in the healing process, but that is simply not true. We must be there to help our fellow citizenry in times of crisis and comfort. Otherwise, healing will take a lot longer than it needs to.”

Yoshida looked at Ren. Ren was a little tuned. Yoshida nodded and turned back to the crowd. “Recently, I’ve been able to overcome my own pain through the assistance of a new confidant. Alone, I knew I was hurt but recovering, but with someone else to confide in, it makes the process easier.

However, none of the healing done by some of the recent victims could have been done if the Phantom Thieves didn’t expose the evils they have!” The crowd was shocked. “And THAT is what the Thieves have taught us. If we wish to heal what is broken, we must identify what is broken in the first place. Otherwise, we can never truly heal.

I promise you, as your voice in the National Diet, that I will not only expose what evils have befallen you, but also work to heal them! Thank you!”

The crowd was really excited. The applause was louder than it had been, but Yoshida’s speeches were getting better as well. So while Ren was a little shaken by the applause, she wasn’t entirely surprised.

After the speech, she and Yoshida met back up. “How did you enjoy the speech?” Yoshida asked.

Ren smiled. “It was brilliant.”

“Thank you,” Yoshida said. “Sorry for the brief mention of you. I forgot to mention it before.”

“It’s alright,” Ren said. “I’m honestly flattered.”

“I see,” Yoshida said. “Well, we shouldn’t keep Kuramoto waiting.”

“Do you know where we’re meeting?” Ren asked.

“He told me the location,” Yoshida said. “It’s a restaurant not too far away from here.” Ren nodded, and the two were off.

As they were walking, Ren was a bit nervous, but voiced a concern. “Um, not to say your speech wasn’t good, but I do think the Phantom Thieves would want to make sure everyone is OK after the fact, but given their nature…”

Yoshida chuckled. “I don’t doubt it for a second. I know that not everyone is on board with them yet, and a lot of people would like to see them arrested, so I know that keeping to the shadows is beneficial for them for now. I’ve always maintained that they aren’t perfect., but are doing good things.”

Ren nodded. “Right.” They kept walking.

They soon arrived at the restaurant, and were greeted by Kuramoto, the grandson. “Hello,” he said.

“Good evening,” Yoshida said. “You must be Benzo, correct?”

“Yes,” he answered. He noticed Ren. “And I see you brought your little protege with you as well.”

Yoshida got a little tense. “So, you are aware of her.”

Beno nodded. “I’ve been attending your speeches for quite some time. They’re really intriguing.”

“I see,” Yoshida said. “Shall we sit down?”

“Let’s,” Benzo said.

They sat down, ordered, and were soon served. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure?” Yoshida asked.

Benzo looked at him intently. “I’ve seen Matusita stop by your events, so I can assume he at least partially filled you in.”

Yoshida nodded. “I do wish to hear what you have to say.”

“Very well,” Benzo said. “Put simply, my father wishes to bury the hatchet with you.”

“I see…” Yoshida said. “Well, I am all for making amends. But is that really it?”

Benzo shook his head. “We are splitting up from the ruling coalition to form our own. And we wish you to join us.”

“You’re splitting?” Yoshida said, surprised.

Benzo nodded. “You’ve seen what’s been happening. The writing is on the wall. The ruling coalition’s position has become untenable. Cabinet members are resigning left and right. A big change is coming, and we need to position ourselves to be at the forefront of it.”

He looked intently at Yoshida. “I know you wish to be at the heart of the greatest change Japan has ever seen. We want you to be there too.”

Yoshida stared Benzo down. “As tempting as that sounds, I have to decline.”

“WHAT?!” Benzo said.

“Don’t get me wrong, everything you’re saying is true,” Yoshida said, “and I will gladly bury the hatchet with your grandfather, but I need to stay true to my convictions. As a politician yourself, you should know that.”

“You’re just gonna pass up this opportunity?” Benzo said. “Your only chance to shake off the name of ‘No-Good Tora’ and join what will probably become the greatest political coalition this country has ever seen?”

“I don’t doubt your ambition, nor your ability,” Yoshida said. “But in order for me to cast off the shell of ‘No-Good Tora’, I have to do it on my own terms.”

“What about what you said tonight?” Benzo asked. “What about healing together?”

“As I’ve stated, I will gladly make amends with your grandfather,” Yoshida answered. “However, I have been hurt by him once before. I simply do not wish to be hurt again.”

“Hm, you make it sound like it was my grandfather who made you the ‘No-Good Tora’,” Benzo snapped. “When in reality, it was your own shortcomings.”

Yoshida sighed. “I grant you that I was responsible for some of what earned me the name ‘No-Good Tora’. However, I am not wholly responsible either.”

Benzo was incensed. “Are you implying something?”

Yoshida smiled. “As I keep saying, I am willing to forgive and forget.”

Benzo got a little upset. He turned to Ren. “What about you?” Ren was a little surprised. “What do you think of this deal? Is it not everything he wants and more?”

Ren was a little on edge. Seeing two politicians talking like this is something she has rarely seen this close. It was a little intense, but Ren managed to hold steady. “Well, I’ve never known him as ‘No-Good Tora’, so in a sense that label has been at least slightly shaken off at this point.”

“Ignoring that then,” Benzo continued, “this is an opportunity to do what he wishes to do. Is that not a good deal?”

“He wishes to maintain his independence,” Ren explained. “Accepting your offer wouldn’t do him any good on that front, would it?”

Beno was not pleased. “Very well.” He sighed. “The invitation is open, should you see the light. And as a courtesy, I will pay for your dinner.”

“Thank you,” Yoshida said. “However, as I’ve been saying, I am willing to meet with your grandfather about making amends.”

“I shall talk to him about tonight’s meeting, and message you as soon as I have a reply,” Beno said. He paid the bill, got up, and left.

Yoshid sighed. “Are you doing alright, Amamiya-chan?”

“I think so…” Ren said.

Yoshida chuckled slightly. “I apologize. Talks among politicians can get heated in ways that most people aren’t used to.”

“I can tell,” Ren said.

“Still, you managed to hold your own,” Yoshida said. “And against the grandson of a very notable politician who is also notable in his own right at that.”

“Well, what can I say?” Ren said. “I learned from the best.”

“Ah ha ha,” Yoshida laughed. He smiled. “You know, ever since I was labeled with ‘No-Good Tora’ I haven’t felt entirely confident in myself. However, after getting to know you, I feel much more confident than before. I feel like I am more than just my mistakes.”

Ren smiled back. “The feeling is mutual.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 7

“We should be heading home soon,” Yoshida said. Ren nodded. They finished what they were eating, and headed home.

Meanwhile, at Leblanc, Sojiro was about to get ready to close when he heard the door open. He thought it was Ren. “Oh, you’re ba-” He looked up. It wasn’t Ren. It was Tamako. Both of them were stunned. “Tamako…”

“Sojiro…” Tamako said. “So, this is where you’ve been.”

“Yeah,” Sojiro said. “I’m just here in my own little corner of Tokyo.”

Tamako sat at the counter. “Well, it seems like you’re doing well. I don’t think I’ve seen you since…”

“That sounds about right…” Sojiro said. “What brings you here?”

“Well,” Tamako said, “I heard from someone that this is a pretty good place to get coffee. I was a little surprised to see it also served curry, but seeing you behind the counter, it makes sense. I take it it’s her recipe?”

Sojiro nodded. “That’s right.”

“Well then, I’d like a curry and coffee,” Tamako said.

Sojiro smiled. “Coming right up.” He prepared her order. “Order up.”

“Thanks,” Tamako said. She took a bite of curry and a sip of coffee. “Tastes as good as I remember it.”

“Glad to hear that,” Sojiro said. “So, how are you doing?”

Tamako was a little surprised. “Well, it hasn’t been easy, but I think I’m doing better than before.”

“That’s good,” Sojiro said.

Tamako nodded. “And you?”

“Hm. I could probably say the same,” Sojiro said.

“Well that’s good as well,” Tamako said. She finished her curry and coffee, and paid. “Thanks for the meal.”

“No problem,” Sojiro said. As Tamako was about to leave, Sojiro added “If you need help with anything, you know where to find me again.”

Tamako nodded. “I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.” She left.

Sojiro smirked. “Hm.” His old friend was finding her way again, and he knew he was finding his. “That kid. I’ll tell ya.”

Notes:

So, in Lenachan's story, Lena is actually Charity, but I already have a Charity in mind for this story. It hasn't quite taken shape yet, but it's an idea I've had and wanted to impliment for a while now, and I do feel Adjustment works well here too.

"What is Adjustment?" you ask. Well, Adjustment is a Tarot Card in the Thoth deck that takes the place of Justice. It represents free will and karmic balance. It represents the choices that people make in life and achieving such balance. It is differentiated from Justice in the sense that Justice reads that a judgement is about to happen, and is more directly related to the person, where as with Adjustment, the judgement has already happened, and it's a bit more impersonal.

I figured this works for a few reasons. 1. Lena is dating Akechi, and the Justice/Adjustment relationship is just *chef's kiss. 2. I understand Lenachan's original intent of Charity and how it works for Lena, but I also feel like Adjustment works too in that it's about how she chooses to express herself and chooses how to react to the various situations she finds herself in. A lot of her situation is beyond her control, such as being an foreigner, everything that happened with Tamako, and everything that's happening with The Phantom Thieves. Yet, as I understand it, she chooses not to lose herself in the thick of it all and holds true to what she believes in. And 3. While Arcana is assigned to each character, in essence everyone is a mixture of it all. So in theory I could change anyone else's arcana. I didn't because it's simpler. Again, the only reason I changed it here in the first place is because I have my own idea for Chairty, and I really want to explore it.

All that to say my story and Lenachan's stories are going to be different. Still, they'l both be fun and excellent.

Chapter 112: Fortune Favors the Bold

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ren walked downstairs to see Ryuji in a booth, eating some curry, and chugging down soda. “Ah! Oh, hey Ren,” Ryuji said.

“Hi,” Ren said, a little unsure what was going on. Nevertheless, she sat down across from him.

Ryuji got a little serious. He sighed. “Here goes. So, today I’m thinkin’ of tellin’ the guys about Yamauchi. And I’d like you to come along with me.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

Ryuji was blindsided by the question. “Do…you not want to?”

“No, no, that’s not it,” Ren said. “I’m just wondering why you’d need someone at all.” Ryuji sighed. “I…hate to admit it…but…” he sighed. “I’m scared.”

“Huh?” Ren wondered.

“Like, wherever we’re in a palace, all the shit…it’s kind of freaky, ya know?” Ryuji said. “But I don’t mind it so much because we’re together. And, well, I’m worried that if my old track buddies are OK with what Yamauchi’s doing, that if they are that far gone, I just wouldn’t know what to do. So, I wanna have someone be there for me. So I know I’m not alone.”

Ren nodded, then smiled. “Alright then. Let’s do it.”

Ryuji smiled. “Great! They’re doing a bit of practice at the school today, so that’s where we’re meeting them.”

“Great!” Ren said. “But, um, are they going to be there for a while?”

Ryuji was confused. “Whaddya mean?”

Ren’s stomach growled. “I…haven’t had breakfast yet.”

“Oh,” Ryuji said. He looked down. “I should probably finish too. But, yeah, they’ll be there all day as far as I know.”

“Great!” Ren said. “Boss!”

“Yeah, I gotcha!” Sojiro said. He came and delivered Ren a breakfast of curry and coffee.

“Thanks,” Ren said. She started eating, and Ryuji resumed eating.

Once they finished, Ryuji paid for his meal, and they headed out. “Thanks again Boss!” Ryuji said.

“See you later!” Ren added.

“Take your time,” Sojiro said to them. They were on their way to the school.

On their way, Ryuji took out his phone. “I’ve gotta call Nakaoka to meet us there. He needs to hear this too.”

Ren nodded. “Go ahead.”

“Thanks,” Ryuji said. He gave Nakaoka a call. When he finished, he hung up and said “He’s on his way.

Once they arrived, they found the track team taking a water break. Ryuji grew determined. “Let’s go.” He and Ren started to approach the team.

Nakaoka approached the team from the other side first. “What are you doing here?” Takeshi said.

“He’s with me,” Ryuji said.

Takeshi and the others turned to him. “Heh. So, what is this? An ambush?”

“Um, I only came here because Ryuji asked me,” Nakaoka said.

“Really?” Takeshi said, pointedly.

“Look, you just gotta listen!” Ryuji said. He took out his phone and played Yamauchi’s conversation from the other night. The track team and Nakaoka were stunned. “Well?”

“You could have faked it,” Takeshi weakly offered.

“You KNOW I’m too stupid for that!” Ryuji responded. “Look, that’s all I want to do.”

“It is?” Takeshi wondered.

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “You made it clear that I’m not welcome, and you don’t want anything to do with me. So I’m leaving it up to you. Is this what you want the track team to be? Because if so, I will turn and walk away, and you will never see me again. But if you don’t, if the Takeshi I know is still in there somewhere, l want to finish this off right.”

Takeshi paused for a moment. He sighed. “I…always had a feeling Yamauchi was probably just using me. But I felt like a big shot for once. That just felt too good to give up.”

Nakaoka chimed in. “I just kind of went along with it too. With me telling Kamoshida about you Sakamoto, I felt like I was the one actually responsible for dissolving the track team. So I was just accepting my penance.”

There was a sense of gloom over the crowd. “It doesn’t have to be like this!” Ryuji rallied. Everyone looked at him. “It seems like you want things to change too. They can! And you can be the one that does it.”

“How do you know?” Takeshi asked.

“Because I’ve changed as well,” Ryuji said. “I can feel it too. If I can do it, so can you.”

Takeshi smiled. “Of course. We’re a team after all, right?” He turned to Nakaoka. “And that includes you as well.” Nakaoka smiled. Takashi nodded. He turned back to Ryuji and grew determined. “Can you send me that file? I’m gonna show it to my mom. She’s in charge of the PTA after all.”

Ryuji smiled. “Right.” He sent it to Takeshi.

“Hm. Just like a baton,” Takeshi said. He put his phone away. “But before we do any of that, how ‘bout a run together? For old time’s sake.” He turned to Ren. “You can join us too.”

“Pass,” Ryuji said. “I think you got it.”

“Besides, I don’t think we’re prepared for it,” Ren added.

“Well, suit yourselves,” Takeshi said. “What about you Nakaoka? Are you back in?”

Nakaoka nodded eagerly. “Of course!”

“Well then, LET’S GO!” The reunified track team saluted Takeshi and started running.

Ryuji sighed, relieved. “We should head out.”

As they were leaving, Ren said “It looks like things are going to be alright.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji said.

“But,” Ren began, “why didn’t you want to run with them?”

Ryuji smiled. “You mean you don’t know? I said it earlier: I’ve changed. The old me would have jumped at the chance to do that again. But now?” He sighed. “While my leg is healed, and we’ve been working out, I know that I’m nowhere near running shape. And if I want to be, I have to figure that out, and not do something that could jeopardize that.”

Ren chuckled. “Where’d you pick that up from?”

“Heh heh, you,” Ryuji responded. Ren was surprised. “I mean, we always tell the newer members that we can’t take on Eris yet, despite us wanting to. Plus, your leadership of the Phantom Thieves means you make sure we’re all ready to strike at the right time.”

“Well, thank you,” Ren said. “That’s very sweet.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “You know, I really don’t know what would happen if they continued down the path they were going down.”

“Out of curiosity, how likely did you think that option was?” Ren asked.

“To be honest: very,” Ryuji said. “I’m not entirely used to people doin’ the right thing when I’m involved. I mean, I know all of you would, but that’s been more of an exception than a rule.”

“Well, maybe it’s more of a rule than you think,” Ren said.

“Maybe,” Ryuji said. “Although I guess that shows that I’m not done changing yet. But now, I can't wait!”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 8

“Anyway, let’s get some ramen before we call it,” Ryuji said. “I know it might be a bit early, but my mom needs me to go shopping this evening.”

Ren chuckled. “The more things change, the more things stay the same.” They headed off to get some ramen. Once they finished, Ryuji went home.

Ren was on her way back to Leblanc, when she got a message.

Chihaya: Can you come up tonight?

Chihaya: I’m sensing a perfect test of your abilities coming my way.

Ren: Well, if you sense it, then it must be.

Chihaya: Is that a yes then?

Ren: What do your senses think?

Chihaya: I believe they do.

Chihaya: Of course, you can prove me wrong and not show up.

Ren: We’ll see…

A little later, Ren did show up. Chihaya smiled. “Looks like I was right.”

“I mean, I do want to do this,” Ren said. “So if you’re offering, I wouldn’t say no.”

“Hm,” Chihaya pouted. “Very well then.” Ren chuckled. “Have a seat next to me.”

Ren sat down. “Before we begin, what can you tell me about the oncoming ‘test of my powers’?”

“Well…” Chihaya said. “I can’t say anything specific. All I can tell you the trouble is very deep, but it’s not as dire as the person who you previously helped.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” Ren said.

Soon enough, a businesswoman came and sat down at Chihaya’s station. “Hello,” Chihaya greeted. “Welcome back.”

“Hello Chiahya-san,” the businesswoman said. “Um, who might this be?”

“Oh, she’s another mystic,” Chihaya said. “She’s training under me to hone her powers, along with helping me in some of my readings.”

“I see,” the businesswoman said. “I’m a little envious. Although it is nice, since I’ll take all the help that I can get.”

“I take it things aren’t going well at your business again,” Chihaya surmised.

“Correct,” the business woman nodded. “I keep getting brushed aside by my male colleagues.”

“Oh my,” Chihaya said.

“What’s even worse is, they’re getting credit for the stuff I’ve done!” the businesswoman continued.

“You know I can’t use my fortunes to harm others, right?” Chihaya said.

“Of course,” the businesswoman. “I don’t want to take my revenge by setting them on fire or anything.”

“Right,” Chihaya said.

“Rather, I’m going to start my own company!” the businesswoman announce.

“I see,” Chiahaya said.

“I wanted to stop by here in order to see how it will turn out, you know,”

“Hm,” Chihaya pondered. “Very well then.” She read her cards. “Hmmmm.”

“Well?” the businesswoman wondered.

“It…appears that your business venture is doomed to fail,” Chihaya sadly announced.

“WHAT?!” the businesswoman shrieked.

“Ahem,” Ren chimed in.

Chihaya looked at her. She sighed. “My associate here seems to have the knack to change these sorts of readings.”

“Really?” the businesswoman wondered.

“However, I should warn you that these powers are not so developed,” Chihaya stated. “Do you wish to continue?”

“Yes, please,” the businesswoman said.

“Very well then,” Chihaya said She turned to Ren. “So, how would you advise this woman to make her accomplishments known in a male-dominated work-environment and show off her talents?”

“Well, I can say that saying she’s ‘doomed to fail’ is not a good place to start,” Ren answered. “Maybe we should try encouraging her.”

“Uh-huh,” Chihaya continued. “And how would you do that?”

Ren thought about it for a bit. “Overturn your fate!”

“Wha?” Chihaya said, thrown into disarray.

“Yeah,” Ren replied.

“Overturn…” the businesswoman said. “You know what? I think I will start my own business!”

Chihaya was still aghast. “Um, but, what about your reading?” she wondered.

“Well, it’s either I fail through no fault of my own, or I fail because I tried something and failed,” the business woman explained. “I wanted to start my business to turn everyone’s expectations on their head. But if I am doomed to fail, well, at least I’ll fail on my own terms.” She stood up and bowed. “Thank you.” She walked away.

“Well, I think that went well,” Ren said.

“Hm we shall see,” Chihaya said. She read her cards again. She was stunned at the result. “I…I don’t believe it. Her fortune is now one of success.”

“See?” Ren said.

“How did you do it?” Chihaya said.

Ren shrugged. “I just encouraged her.”

“But how?” Chihaya said. “How can fate be overturned so easily?”

“I’m not sure how easy it actually is,” Ren said. “Sometimes, it can feel like no matter what, the whole world is against you.”

“You’re telling me…” Chihaya muttered. Ren was perplexed. Chihaya noticed this and said “Go on.

Ren nodded. “But the way I see it, if you’re willing to fight hard enough, you can overcome a bad fortune.”

“Hmmm,” Chihaya pondered. “Is there any set way of fighting it?”

“Well, I’m not sure,” Ren said. “But as I said earlier, encouragement from the people around you can help.”

“I see…” Chihaya said. She went deep in thought.

“Are you doing alright?” Ren asked.

“Ah! Yes! Just peachy!” Chihaya said. “I just…have a lot to think about is all. I mean, this is the second time you overturned one of my readings. But do you feel like you have more of a focus yourself?”

Ren nodded. “I believe so.”

“Hm,” Chihaya wondered. “Your power sure seems like a mystery. But I think I’m getting the hang of it too. Perhaps when we do another reading, things will become more clear for the both of us.”

Ren nodded. “I’d like that.”

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 2.

“Well, I should get going,” Ren said. “Don’t want to be stuck in Shinjuku all night.”

Chihaya nodded. “Take care!” Ren waved goodbye and then went back home for the evening.

Chapter 113: Matters of the Heart

Chapter Text

As Ren was eating breakfast the next day, her phone went off. He checked to see it was a message from Ann.

Ann: Hey, um, this is gonna be a bit awkward.

Ann: But, um, would you mind if you came over today?

Ren: Didn’t you say you were having family over soon?

Ann: Yeah… They’re here already. That’s sort of why I want you to come over.

Ren: You want me to meet your visiting family?

Ann: I met yours, didn’t I?

Ren: That was different.

Ann: Come on…

Ann: Shiho will be there too.

Ren: …Fine.

Ann: Yay!

Ren: The only issue is I don’t know where you live.

Ann: Oh.

Ann: I’ll message Shiho and she can get you.

Ren: Very well then. See you soon.

Ann: Seeya!

Ann: And thanks.

A little later, Shiho arrived. Ren turned to her and said “Hey.”

Shiho smiled. “Hi,” she said back. “Are you ready to go?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be, I guess,” Ren answered.

“It'll be fine,” Shiho assured her. “You know how when Ann clicks with people, she becomes so energetic and kind? Well, she gets that from her family.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

Shiho nodded. “Let’s get going.” Ren stood up, and together they left for Ann’s house. On their way, Shiho said “You’ve never been to Ann’s house, have you?”

Ren shook her head. “I usually end up hosting, but I don’t mind.”

Shiho chuckled. “Well, Ann isn’t too keen on inviting people over herself. It took me a while for her to invite me over.”

“Why is that?” Ren asked.

“She’s a bit embarrassed,” Shiho said.

“I don’t think it’ll be that bad,” Ren responded.

“No, it’s actually really nice!” Shiho said. “THAT’S why she’s embarrassed.”

“Ah,” Ren said.

“Still, the fact that she’s inviting you over means something,” Shiho said. “And to meet her grandparents no less.”

“On her dad’s side?” Ren wondered.

Shiho nodded. “She told you their story?”

Ren nodded back. “It sounds romantic.”

“True,” Shiho said. “I’ve only met them once before, but they are lovely.” They continued walking. Soon, they arrived. “Here we are.”

Ren was taken aback. It was slightly bigger than an average house. It still felt like it fit in with the rest of the neighborhood, but it did stick out just a little. “Woah.”

Shiho smiled. “Now you know why she’s a little embarrassed.” She rang the bell.

They soon heard footsteps running. Ann then answered the door. “Hi.”

“Hi,” Shiho said back.

“Well, come on in,” Ann said, moving out of their way. Shiho and Ren walked in. Once they had taken their shoes off and gotten into the house proper, Ann met back up with them. “I’d like to show you around, but we don’t have time for that. Maybe next time.”

“It’s OK,” Ren said. “Shiho said you’re a bit embarrassed.

Ann pouted. “Shiho!

Shiho giggled. “It’s true though, isn’t it?”

“You don’t have to say it,” Ann said.

“You thought I wouldn’t be able to tell?” Ren asked.

“Well, I was kind of hoping to rush the process so we’d avoid the topic altogether,” Ann explained.

“I see,” Ren said.

“Anyway, let’s go,” Ann said. She led them through her house into the dining room. Sitting there were Ann’s grandparents. Ann’s grandfather had bushy powder gray hair, complete with a bushy mustache of the same color, brown eyes, and was wearing black-rimmed glasses, a green beret, a light blue dress shirt, a plaid brown sweatervest, and black pants. Ann’s grandmother had platinum gray hair, blue eyes, and was wearing a white dress with an offwhite coat, and had a turquoise bag next to her. “Hi grandpa! Hi grandma!”

“Hi,” Ann’s grandpa said.

“Hi sweetie,” Ann’s grandma said.

Ann nodded. “Well, you know Shiho.” They nodded. “And this is one of my new friends, Ren.”

“Hi,” Ren said. She was a bit nervous.

“‘One of’?” Ann’s grandfather. “You should have brought the whole gang over!”

Ann was stunned. “Um, well…”

“Oh, stop teasing her dear,” Ann’s grandma said.

“I’m being serious,” Ann’s grandpa replied.

“I know you are,” Ann’s grandma retorted. “But you know Ann has her own way of doing things. Besides, it’s summer. I bet Ann’s other friends are out enjoying the day.”

“Heh heh,” Ann’s grandpa laughed. “You’re probably right dear. I apologize.” They turned to Ann, Shiho, and Ren. “So, what brings you two over?”

“Actually, I invited them,” Ann explained. She sighed. “I’m just… I’m just going through something right now, and I’d like their help.”

“Oh,” Ann’s grandpa. “Well, if you need some privacy, we can leave…”

“No,” Ann said. “I want your help too.” Ann’s grandparents were surprised. The three young women sat down. “So…” Ann sighed again. “You know how I’ve always been on the fence about modeling?” They nodded. “Well, I’m not so on the fence anymore.”

“I see,” Ann’s grandma said.

“So, are you done?” Ann’s grandpa asked.

Ann shook her head. “I’m gonna work to become the best model I can be!”

“Ugh,” Ann’s grandpa said. Ann was confused. “I mean, congratulations!”

Ann grandma laughed. “Sorry. Your grandfather and I had a bet going about whether or not you’d be a fulltime model.”

Ann’s grandpa took out his wallet and handed Ann’s grandma 5000 yen. “Here you go.”

Ann’s granma chuckled. “Thank you dear.”

“Wait, you bet on me?” Ann asked, concerned.

Ann’s grandma chuckled some more. “It’s alright, sweetie.”

“We do this kind of thing all the time,” Ann’s grandpa added. “It’s just for fun.”

“Besides, we don’t try to influence any of the outcomes,” Ann’s grandma said. “You know we’re always here for you.”

Ann smiled. “Right.”

“So, what made you choose to model full-time?” Ann’s grandpa asked.

“Well…” Ann began. “It’s complicated. But basically, I want to help people by showing them what I love about being a model. Er, sorry. I guess that might not make sense…”

“Hm,” Ann’s grandma said. “It makes perfect sense to me.”

“It does?” Ann wondered.

Ann’s grandma nodded. “I was a professional model. I know the feeling.”

Ann giggled. “Right.”

“You know, I still think you can model,” Ann’s grandpa said.

“I know,” Ann’s grandma said. “But I want to give the other models a chance, you know.”

“Ha ha, true,” Ann’s grandpa said. “Besides, I think we both like being retired.” Ann’s grandma nodded.

“Um, anyway,” Ann said. “I know what I want, I’m just not sure how to get it.” “Ah. I see,” Ann’s grandpa said

“And that’s why you’ve come to us,” Ann’s grandma surmised.

“Yeah,” Ann answered.

“Hm,” Ann’s grandma said. “Well, what are you doing so far?”

“Well…” Ann said. “I’ve started working out. I’ve been doing some of the things you taught me. But… I feel like I’m still at an impasse.”

“How come?” Ann’s grandpa asked.

“Mika,” Ann said, bitterly.

“Huh?” Ann’s grandpa wondered.

“She’s another model,” Ren informed them. “And a devious one, at that.”

“I haven’t met her myself,” Shiho added, “ but from what Ann has told me, she’s good at getting everyone to do as she says.”

“Oh, she’s THAT kind of girl,” Ann’s grandma said.

“Ugh!” Ann said. “It’s so frustrating. Despite all the progress I feel like I’ve been making, I don’t feel like I’m able to outpace her. I just feel like I’m still caught in her rhythm.” She looked up at her grandparents. “How did you find your rhythm? How did you find the capacity to command, rather than just follow?”

Her grandma smiled. “Well, it sounds like you came to the right place.”

“Heh heh heh,” Ann’s grandpa laughed. “Of course. No one knows how to start a fire better.”

“F-fire?” Ann reacted.

Ann’s grandma nodded. “I understand that modeling, and life in general, is full of uncertainty. Like you are walking on ground that could shatter at any time.”

Ann nodded. “So, how do I get around that?”

“Well, that’s a bit tricky,” Ann’s grandma said. “It’s different for everyone, but what works for me is confidence. The Earth doesn’t shatter below me because I believe it won’t. It might sound a little cliche,” she took her husband’s hand, “but it’s proved useful.” She looked at him. “I married the most amazing man despite everyone telling us we couldn’t.”

Ann’s grandpa blushed. “Eh heh heh. Aw shucks.”

“Hm,” Ann chuckled. “I kind of felt like that would be the answer. I just feel like I’m stuck. I feel like I have the confidence, I just don’t know how to harness it.”

“Hm…” Ann’s grandfather pondered.

“Well, I’m sure all of us know how great you are,” Ren chimed in.

“It’s true,” Shiho said. “I mean, I know how much better I was at volleyball when you were cheering for me.”

Ann’s grandma chuckled. “I can see why you brought them along,” she said. “I know when your grandfather and I started going out, I felt more confident in myself.”

“I…actually noticed that…” Ann said. “I was looking through some of your old photos for inspiration, and I noticed you were a lot better at it when you and grandpa were married.”

“Well, it just goes to show you that when others think you’re amazing, you’ll think so too,” Ann’s grandma said.

“She’s right, you know,” Ann’s grandpa said. “Plus, it’s a two-way street. I know I felt like I became a better photographer when we started dating as well.”

“Plus, you’ve definitely seen it in me too,” Ren said. “When I started opening up and letting you all in, I felt more worth it than I have in a long time. I’ve done things I thought were impossible previously.”

“I think deep down, you’ve known this,” Shiho said. “Remember when I commented on your painting?”

“You insulted it,” Ann reminded her.

“I know,” Shiho replied. “But it was one of the first times someone was commenting on something other than your looks, right?”

Ann was shook. “It was…the first time.”

Shiho nodded. “I could sort of tell you needed something like that. I went over with the intention of complimenting it, but it really was bad.”

“Shiho…” Ann said.

“But, because I was able to see who you were for real, you opened up,” Shiho said. “And we became friends.”

Ann smiled. “True… I think I just forgot.”

“I think we all lost ourselves a little,” Shiho said. “I mean, who could blame us after what happened.”

“Yeah,” Ann said.

“Oh yeah. That did happen at your school, didn’t it,” Ann’s grandpa said. Ann’s grandma looked at him. “Remember? The first Phantom Thieves target? The pervert teacher?”

“Oh!” Ann’s grandma said, remembering. She got visibly angry. “Ugh. Just the THOUGHT of him breathing the same air as my precious Ann…”

“Well, he’s behind bars now,” Ann reminded her.

Ann’s grandma took a deep breath and calmed down. “You’re right. But still.”

“You don’t have to tell me,” Ann said. “I think I’ve felt what you’re feeling and then some.”

Ann’s grandma chuckled. “True. But thank God for those Phantom Thieves.”

“I know, right,” Ann’s grandpa said. “Hey, there’s an idea!” The kids were perplexed. “Why don’t you imagine talking to those Phantom Thieves?”

“Talking…” Shiho began.

“...to…” Ren continued.

“The Phantom Thieves?” Ann finished.

“Yeah,” Ann’s grandpa said. “Just like how they saw through that lothesome teacher, I’m sure that if they came to you, they’d see just how great you are!”

Ann smiled and chuckled. “You know, I think you’re right. Thank you, everyone.”

“Of course,” Ann’s grandma said. She reached into her bag. “Now to celebrate, why don’t you each have a chocolate bar?” She pulled out three chocolate bars.

Ann excitedly grabbed her. “Thanks grandma!” she said. She quickly unwrapped it and started eating.”

“Thank you,” Shiho said, taking hers.

“Thanks…” Ren said, taking her. “Um, is this a common occurrence?”

“Why of course,” Ann’s grandma said. “What kind of grandma doesn’t give treats to their grandchildren?”

“I see,” Ren replied, realizing where Ann’s sweet tooth might have come from. Nevertheless, she smiled, and began eating her chocolate bar as well. “This is really good.”

“Ohhhh!” Ann said, excitedly. “You don’t even KNOW! I’m not sure how she does it, but she knows where to get the BEST sweets!”

“Hm hm,” her grandma laughed. “That’s grandma’s secret.”

They heard a car pulling in. “Oh, that should be them,” Ann’s grandpa said.

“My parents,” Ann said. “The company is hosting a party tonight, and my grandparents wanted to be there as well.”

“Just because I’m retired, doesn’t mean I don’t like a good public appearance,” Ann’s grandma said.

“I would have liked to come along, but it’s an adults only party,” Ann said.

“I’m sure the first company party like this you come to will be just spectacular,” Ann’s grandma said.

Ann’s grandpa stood up. “Well, we should get going. But it was nice seeing you again Shiho, and it was nice meeting you Ren.”

Ann’s grandma stood up as well. “Just remember what we talked about.”

Ann nodded. “I will. Thanks.” Ann’s grandma nodded back. She and her husband walked out.

“They’re really nice,” Ren said.

“Hm hm, I knew you’d like them,” Ann said. She got more serious. “Thanks again you two. I know it was a bit sudden, but you being here really helped me out.”

“What are friends for?” Shiho said.

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 9

Ann smiled. “So, now that we have the place to ourselves, shall we take the grand tour?” Ren suggested.

“Well, you know how I said I had planned to brush that aside?” Ann asked. “Well, part of that was reserving a spa date for the three of us.” She took out three tickets. “It’s a fairly exclusive place, but it’s said to be the best in the business.”

“Well, how can we say no to that?” Ren said. The three of them headed out to the spa. It was a nice and relaxing time for the three of them. After they were finished, they headed home for the evening.

After Ren returned from the spa, she got another message on her phone.

Akechi: Hello.

Akechi: Would you mind if I stopped by tonight?

Akechi: There’s something I wish to talk to you about.

Ren: Sure.

Akechi: Great. See you soon.

Ren was a bit nervous. She knew Akechi probably wanted to talk about what happened with Tamako, but if she denied, that would be more suspicious. She just had to keep calm.

Soon, Akechi arrived. “Hello,” he said. He paused and looked at Ren intently.

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“Ah, sorry,” Akechi said. “It’s just, you look extremely refreshed.”

“Oh, eh heh,” Ren said. “Yeah, one of my friends surprised me with a spa trip. It was really relaxing.”

“I see,” Akechi responded. “You don’t strike me as someone who would go for such traditionally feminine things.”

“Well, not everything is as it appears,” Ren responded. “I’d thought you’d know that, Mr. Detective.”

“Fair enough,” Akechi said. He sat at the counter.

Ren sat down next to him. “So, how are things going?”

“Heh,” Akechi laughed. “You’re not gonna believe it. You remember Lena, right?” Ren nodded. “I told you about her mom. Well, it appears that the Phantom Thieves got to her.”

“Oh,” Ren reacted. “...And?”

“Hm, you’re a better actor than I thought,” Akechi said.

“What do you mean?” Ren asked.

“Well, as I was looking into it,” Akechi said, “I found a post on the Phasite, as it were.” He pulled up the listing that Ren had posted. “You and your friend are the only people who I’ve told this to. I take it one of you two put it up.”

“Perhaps,” Ren said, being coy.

“Are you suggesting that someone else might have?” Akechi said.

“Maybe,” Ren said. “From what Ryuji told me, it was a very public outburst.”

“True, but who else would have known about the person whose heart needed to be changed?” Akechi posed. “To many, she was probably just another overbearing mom, albeit a disruptive one.”

“Sure, but she does have a level of notoriety,” Ren countered. “She is the widow of a Dietman who got assassinated.”

“So, you’re aware of that story too,” Akechi said. “Still, I believe it was you.”

“What makes you so sure?” Ren wondered.

“It’s just too convenient otherwise,” Akechi said. “And I’m not one who believes in conveniences straight away. If life was convenient, I’d probably still have my mom at the very least.”

“Dang dude, you didn’t have to go that heavy,” Ren replied. “Alright, it was me. I did post that message.”

Akechi smiled. “I’m a little surprised that worked. Lena does stuff like that to me from time to time, and it always catches me off guard, so I figured ‘why not?’”

Ren chuckled. “I think I saw that in action when she was here with you.”

“Right,” Akechi said. “So then, back to brass tacks. How did you figure out her name?” Ren was a little confused. “I mean, you did point out that she does have a certain level of prestige, but I’m not sure how you figured out her name.”

“Ummmm,” Ren said. “Are you joking?”

“Hm?” Akechi wondered.

“You told me,” Ren said.

“I did no such thing,” Akechi protested.

“You did,” Ren said back. “You said whenever you were usually as lost as you appeared to be, you’d wonder ‘What would Tamako Minamoto do?’”

Akechi was horrified. “Oh. I guess I did let it slip. My apologies. I thought I was doing a good job of not letting it slip for this exact reason.”

Ren put a hand on his shoulder. “It’s OK. You were under duress. It happens to the best of us.”

“I…suppose you’re right,” Akechi replied.

Ren let go of Akechi. “So, how do you feel about all of this?”

“What do you mean?” Akechi wondered.

“Well,” Ren began, “do you think the Phantom Thieves helped the situation at all?”

Akechi stared at her blankly. “Hm,” he grunted. “Well, as you are aware, the Phantom Thieves and I don’t see eye to eye. Yet I cannot deny the truth. For all of their unknown methods and incredible power, they do appear to help people. And in this circumstance, as much as I hate to admit it, they helped me out too.”

Ren smiled. “I doubt this has changed your mind overall though, has it?”

“Well, it depends,” Akechi said. “My biggest problem with the Phantom Thieves is their lack of accountability. If they had a set of rules they followed and a method for public accountability, then I might accept them wholly. However, as you have pointed out tonight, I am only human. They not only helped me, but also someone I care about immensely. So, maybe the Phantom Thieves aren’t all terrible.”

Ren was surprised. “Wow. That must have taken a lot of courage for you to say.”

“I know you’re being at least partially facetious,” Akechi said, “but it takes a lot to admit that you’re wrong.”

Ren nodded. “Sometimes it takes intervention from the Phantom Thieves.”

“Har har,” Akechi said, bitterly.

Ren giggled. “In all seriousness, I won’t tell anyone. But I’m proud of you.” Akechi partially smiled and nodded. “Changing the subject, you don’t seem like much of the dating type. So how did you manage to get yourself a girlfriend?”

“Heh,” Akechi chuckled. “Well, I told you how we met, right?” Ren nodded. “Well, we talked for a little while after that. Then one day, she asked me out, and I said yes.”

“But, and don’t take this the wrong way, why?” Ren asked.

Akechi chuckled. “Are you jealous?”

“No,” Ren answered. “Like I told you, I’m also going out with someone.”

“Ha ha, true,” Akechi laughed. “Well, I take it you’re thinking of a few things: My celebrity, my busyness, my more reserved and calculated personality, my distrust in a lot of things, as well as perhaps a few things you might not know about me. Yet she manages to break through all of that. And when they’re the one, sometimes you need to take a risk, you know.”

Ren smiled. “Yeah. I get it.”

“In my case,” Akechi went on, “when she and I were talking, I felt a strong connection with her.”

“What about when we talk?” Ren asked.

“Are you sure you’re not jealous?” Akechi wondered.

Ren shook her head. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’re not my type. I’m just wondering what the difference you see is. I mean, I know we disagree on things, but I don’t think that would be the only reason.”

Akechi nodded. “Well, if there’s an answer I could put into words, she inspires me to be myself.” Ren was a little thrown off by that answer. “Not that you don’t, it’s just on a different level. Let’s see… It just feels like it takes less effort to be myself with her. Ugh, this is all so confusing.”

“Well, love can be like that sometimes,” Ren said. “But I get it. I mean, I’m also going out with someone.”

“True,” Akechi said. He sighed. “I’m usually a man of evidence and fact-based conclusions, but love defies all that kind of stuff.”

“I disagree,” Ren said. “Just because you don’t entirely know what they are, doesn’t mean there aren’t facts or evidence for it.”

“I guess,” Akechi said. “And unlike an unsolved murder, the need for the evidence isn’t as strong.”

“A little bleak for a comparison, but accurate,” Ren pointed out.

“So, what about you?” Akechi asked. “How did you manage to get a significant other?”

“Well…” Ren said, both embarrassed and sort of unsure if she should tell Akechi she’s going out with another girl. “I think we’ve liked each other for quite some time now, but they asked me out not too long ago.”

“Hm,” Akechi said. “Maybe that’s another reason why it’s not you and I. We both needed someone else to take the lead on that font.”

“Perhaps,” Ren said. “Although there miiiiight be a bigger reason as to why.”

“Right, I’m not your type,” Akechi said.

Ren sighed. “You’re probably going to find out sooner or later, and I’ve been working on this, and I just had a conversation with them about being more accepting of themselves, so to be a coward here would be a bit hypocritical, so here goes.” Ren took a deep breath while Akechi was trying to process what was happening. “I’m…a lesbian. And I’m going out with another girl.”

“Oh,” Akechi said, slightly surprised. He then began laughing. “Yeah, I guess I wouldn’t be your type.” He continued laughing. “Well, don’t worry, your secret’s safe with me as well.”

“Thanks,” Ren said.

“Of course,” Akechi said. “You know, while we might be incompatible dating wise, for a few reasons, I still appreciate having this friendship. I feel really connected to you in ways I haven’t been connected to many others since I became Japan’s Second Detective Prince. To me, that’s important in its own way.”

Ren smiled. “I know exactly what you mean. Ever since coming to Tokyo, I’ve made numerous friends, sometimes in the unlikeliest places, and I wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

Akechi nodded. “You and I both.”

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 5

Akechi’s stomach growled. “Oh my. Sorry.”

Ren chuckled. “It’s OK. Want me to make you something?”

“If you would be so kind,” Akechi said. Ren got up and made Akechi and herself dinner. They ate, and then Akechi had to leave for the night. Once Ren finished the dishes, she went upstairs to go to bed.

Chapter 114: A Fire Inside

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ann woke up and stretched in her bed. She looked out the window and smiled. Since yesterday, she felt more determined than ever. She knew what she had to do, and she knew the steps she had to take to do it. She got out of bed and got ready for the day.

She was ready to make a career out of modeling, but the details were foggy on how to do so; at least, until yesterday. Yesterday, everything fell into place. All of the knowledge she had accumulated was finally put together, and the picture was clearer than ever.

One of the things she loved about modeling was the ability to let you define yourself. Whatever clothes you were given, you had to be the one to show them off. How you present the clothes is how you present yourself.

She loved it, yet she used to resent it as well. Being quarter-American in Japan, the ability to let Ann define herself was taken away somewhat by her peers, and then a lot by Kamoshida, and now Mika was threatening to do the same. However, she had an ace up her sleeve.

Her friends and family saw her for who she really was, just like she saw them for who they really were. Because she was recognized in this way, she knew she would become a better model, and a better person. Yet, there was one person who didn’t see her in the way she wanted to be seen by them. And she was going to rectify that today.

Ann arrived at her destination and knocked on the door. Ryuji answered it, still half asleep, and only opening the door slightly. “Huh?” When he realized it was Ann, he immediately woke up. “ANN!”

“Hi,” Ann said. Ryuji closed the door. “Huh?!”

“SORRY!” Ryuji called. “I’LL BE BACK IN A MINUTE!” He came back, and opened the door more. “Sorry. I, uh, wasn’t decent.”

“Oh,” Ann said, not sure how to react.

“So, what brings you here?” Ryuji asked. “Oh wait, I know. Did you want to ace that dancing game today?”

“Well… I’m not opposed to it…” Ann said. “But that’s not why I’m here.” Ryuji was confused. She looked away briefly, but then clenched her fist and looked back at him. “You know we’ve been friends for a while, right?”

“Yeah?” Ryuji said, unsure of where this was going.

“Well, there’s something I’ve been meaning to say,” Ann continued. “Not since we first met, but for a while still. But I never had the courage to.”

“How come?” Ryuji asked, a bit nervous, but still slightly oblivious.

“Well, it’s not an easy thing to say outright,” Ann answered. “Plus, I kind of thought we had forever. But then Kamoshida happened, and then forever turned into never until this whole Phantom Thieves thing began. And I don’t want forever to turn into never again! So here goes.”

She took a deep breath, and then looked into his eyes, determined. “Ryuji Sakamoto! I…I’m in love with you! Will you go out with me?!”

Ryuji was stunned. His paleness combined with his embarrassment to paint him in a lovely shade of pink “Uhhhhhhhhhhh, wh-wha?”

“I love you!” Ann declared again.

“No no, I get that,” Ryuji said, finally processing what was happening. “But… I mean, I’m nothing special. And you can have any guy you want, you know?”

“So why does it sound like the only guy I want is saying no?” Ann asked.

Ryuji paused at the question. To say he wasn’t prepared for this would be an understatement. Still, he had to answer. He sighed. “Well…I mean…I…ahem, sorry. Uh, to be honest, I do kind of feel the same way, and have for a long time. And, I guess for similar reasons, I never said anything either.

But I think you’re right. Because of everything that’s happened, I think saying it and acting on it makes the most sense.” He grabbed Ann’s hand. “So, I guess I’m saying yeah. I’ll go out with you.”

Ann could hardly contain her excitement. “YyyyyyyyyyAY!” She opened her arms wide and hugged Ryuji. Ryuji wassurprised, but hugged her back. The two stayed like that for a little bit. Ann then interjected saying “You still wanna obliterate that record?”

“Heh. Totally,” Ryuji said.

They undid the hug and gave each other a slight peck. But then they realized how good that felt, and then shared a deeper, more intimate kiss. Once they finished, Ann said “Woah.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji reacted. After a prolonged silence, Ryuji asked “You wanna head out now?”

Ann nodded. “Race ya!” She started running, and Ryuji followed not too long after. Together, the new couple raced to the arcade.

When they got there, they were both out of breath. “Who won?” Ryuji wondered.

“Don’t know…” Ann answered. She looked up. “Don’t care…” Ryuji smiled. She smiled back. “Maybe we should get something to drink.”

“Good idea,” Ryuji said. They went to the vending machine and grabbed something to recharge themselves after their sprint. Once they were ready, they came face to face with the machine. There was a brief moment of hesitation from Ann, but Ryuji took her hand. “Hey. We got this.”

Ann looked at Ryuji. With him by her side, she believed it. She nodded. “Right. Thanks.” The two stepped up to the machine with fiery determination, and a new fuel source to match it. They selected the cooperative mode and began.

The song started playing, and the two started moving in time with it; pressing the pads with their feet. They knew what they were doing. This was not their first attempt at this. They had never succeeded before, but still, they were determined.

Their determination paid off. Not only did they make the leaderboard, they were number one. They looked at their score in awe. “We…did it?” Ann wondered. She looked at Ryuji who nodded. Ann got really excited. “WE DID IT!” She leapt into Ryuji’s arms. Ryuji caught her and spun her around 360 degrees, before landing into a hug. They looked at each other and kissed.

They looked back at their score. “Hey, we should get some selfies with our score, and show it off,” Ryuji suggested.

“Good idea,” Ann agreed. Ann took out her phone, and they posed in front of their score. The first photo, they both looked at the camera. The second photo, Ann snuck a kiss onto Ryuji’s cheek. The third photo, Ryuji got Ann back by kissing her on her cheek. The fourth, and final photo they took was a shared kiss that also displayed their score. They shared these photos with their friends.

First, they shared it with Shiho, who was ecstatic.

Shiho: Congratulations you two!

Shiho: I knew you could do it!

Ann: Thanks.

Shiho: I am surprised that you managed to get the high score as well.

Ann: Shiho…

Shiho: Tee hee.

Ryuji: Well, I’m not sure how surprising that is.

Ryuji: Maybe when we were just friends, it would be a surprise.

Ryuji: But now that we’re dating, I feel like there’s nothing we can’t do.

Ann: That’s really sweet.

Shiho: You got yourself a true gentleman Ann.

Shiho: In all seriousness, I’m really happy for you two.

Ann: Thanks.

Ryuji: Thanks.

They then messaged the Phantom Thieves chat.

Ren: Congrats you two!

Sumire: Way to go!

Lena: You two look so cute together!

Makoto: So, how did it happen?

Ryuji: Ann just came over and asked me out.

Makoto: Woah!

Makoto: Well, congratulation you to. On both things!

Yusuke: In a way, I’m not surprised.

Yusuke: When Ann is determined to do something, she tends to do it.

Ann: Thanks.

Ann: But it wasn’t the easiest thing in the world either.

Ann: But I’m glad I did it.

Josoe: I’m also glad for you.

Josoe: You two look really happy together.

Ryuji: Aw, shucks. Thanks Jose.

As Ren was reading the chat while walking around town, Morgana was looking it over as well. Ren decided to check in on Morgana. “How do you feel about this?”

Morgana was surprised. “I’m fine.” Ren stared at him. “Honest.”

“You sure?” Ren asked.

“Well, yeah,” Morgana answered. “I mean, they clearly love each other. You even told me she was interested in him before all of this. I’m happy for them.”

“It's just us here,” Ren said.

“Really, I’m fine,” Morgana countered. “If I got upset every time I didn’t get my way, I’d be no better than a palace ruler.”

“I know,” Ren said. “But it’s fine to admit you’re in pain too.”

“Well, I can’t say it doesn’t hurt just a little,” Morgana admitted. “But I’m sure it’ll fade away in due time.”

“Hm,” Ren grinned. She went back to the chat.

Ren: Morgana sends his well wishes too.

Ann: Aw, thanks Morgana.

Ryuji: Yeah. Thanks.

Ren turned back to Morgana. “I’ll get you some sushi tonight for being a good sport.”

“You don’t have to,” Morgana said.

“I insist,” Ren said.

“Thanks,” Morgana said. “Why are you being so nice to me about this?”

“Well, partially because we’re friends,” Ren answered, “but also I’ve had my heart broken in the past too. I know how it feels.”

“Well, you have Sumire now,” Morgana replied.

“And I’m sure something good is gonna come your way too,” Ren said.

Back at the arcade, Ann and Ryuji finished informing some of their other friends and were leaving. Once they left, they heard “RYU-KUN!” They turned to see Ryuji’s mom. Ryuji’s mom had medium-length brown hair, and was wearing a lavender shirt, a navy blue skirt, and a pair of wedge shoes. She came over to greet them. “Hi Ryu-kun! Hi Ann-chan!’

“Hi Miss Sakamoto,” Ann said.

“What are you doing out here mom?” Ryuji asked.

“I was just on my way to pick up some stuff for dinner,” Ryuji’s mom said. “But enough about me, what are you kids up to?”

“Well, uh, actually…” Ryuji said, blushing. He took Ann’s hand. “We’re…kind of going out now.”

Ryuji’s mom was stunned. She smiled and hugged them. “I’m so proud of you two!”

The kids were surprised, but hugged Ryuji’s mom back. “Thanks mom,” Ryuji said.

“Thanks Miss Sakamoto,” Ann said. The hug finished. “Say, why don’t you two come over for dinner tonight?”

“Oh, I don’t want to be a bother,” Ryuji’s mom said.

“It’s no trouble at all,” Ann said.

“You sure?” Ryuji asked.

“We told your mom already,” Ann said. “Might as well tell my parents.”

“Well, it has been a while since I’ve met with your parents Ann-chan,” Ryuji’s mom said. “And this is such a joyous occasion.” She nodded. “Alright. Let’s do it!”

“Great!” Ann said. “Also, my grandparents are visiting, so we can tell them as well.”

“Well that sounds lovely,” Ryuji’s mom said. The three of them headed to Ann’s house.

Once they got there, Ann rang the doorbell. Ann’s dad answered it. Ann’s dad was really tall and muscular, and had short, fuzzy blonde hair, a well-kept blonde mustache, a white shirt, black tie, black suspenders, and black pants. “Ann? Why did you ring the bell?” He looked at Ryji and his mom. “Oh. You brought people over. Hello Ryuji. Hello Kaida.”

“Hi Oliver,” Kaida said.

“So, what brings you over?” Oliver asked.

“I kind of invited them,” Ann said. “See, something big happened.” Oliver was puzzled. “Ryuji and I are a couple now.”

Oliver was surprised. He smiled and hugged the kids. “I’m so happy for you two!”

The kids were again taken aback, but hugged back. “Thanks dad,” Ann said.

Oliver let go. “Well come on, come on. We should celebrate.” The three of them entered the house and headed to the dining room. In the dining room, Ann’s grandparents were there, along with Ann’s mom. Ann’s mom had long, flowing black hair, glasses, a red dress, black stockings, a gold bracelet, and painted red nails. As they entered, Oliver announced “Mari, honey! Mom. Dad. Ann has some news for you.”

Mari looked at Ryuji and Kaida and then Ann. “We’re having company?”

“Well, yes, but there’s more,” Oliver said.

“What is it dear?” Mari asked.

“Well, um, I guess I just have to say it,” Ann said. “Ryuji and I are dating now.”

Ann’s mom and grandparents were surprised, and equally happy. Mari smiled. “Hm. Congratulations, Ann sweetie,” she said. “I knew you could do it.”

“Wait, what?” Ann said. “You…knew?”

Mari nodded. “Of course. A mother always knows these things.”

“100%” Kaida said.

“Wait, you knew too?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well, I didn't want to say anything, but yeah,” Kaida admitted.

Ann’s grandpa smiled. “Well, this is certainly turning out to be quite the visit.”

“Indeed,” Ann’s grandma said. She looked at Ann and mouthed “You’re welcome.” Ann mouthed back “Thank you.”

“Well, we should get started on dinner!” Oliver said. He looked at his wife. “You wanna help me sweetie?”

“Of course,” Mari said.

“I can help too,” Kaida offered.

“But you’re our guest,” Mari responded.

“I insist,” Kaida said.

“Well, if you insist,” Mari said. “Another pair of hands in the kitchen would be welcomed.” The three parents went into the kitchen to prepare.

Once dinner was ready, everyone sat down to eat. The meal was delicious, and the conversation was lovely (if a little bit on the teasing side at first), but the best thing about the dinner was the feeling Ann had. For so long, she had felt shattered. Not too long ago, she felt like she was in complete disrepair. But now? Now she felt whole again. It was a different kind of whole than before, and some of the pain still lingered, but the positives outweighed the negatives. She had amazing friends, a wonderful family, a bright future, and a loving boyfriend. She could not ask for anything more.

Notes:

I'm excited and curious to see how you will react to this chapter, Basically, this is Ann 9.5, and I have plans to do a 9.5 for most of the confidants. Some of them might not present the opporitunity to do so, and I only have ideas for a handful of the other confidants so far. Also, they aren't all going to involve an extended scene with Ren, it just made sense to do so here.

They're also concurrent with a Ren confidant chapter, which will be next chapter. For a few reasons, I decided to put this chapter first; the main one being that I thought it would be shorter than a confidant chapter. It was not. I think putting the rank 9.5 chapter after the rank 9 makes sense in practice as well.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter 115: Alone Together

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wednesday Morning, Ren woke up to a strange series of texts from Yusuke.

Yusuke: Makoto is incredibly thorough.

Yusuke: I told her I needed a break from working on this secret project of hers.

Yusuke: As it just so happens, I also need to refresh myself on my artistry.

Yusuke: Summer is almost over, so come fall, I’ll need to get back to work.

Yusuke: Would you mind helping me do something today?

Ren: Um, sure?

Yusuke: Thank you!

Yusuke: meet me at the station.

Ren shrugged, unsure of several things about this series of messages, but thought it would be best to help out. She got herself ready, had breakfast, and headed out.

Once she met Yusuke at the station, Yusuke said “Thank you for coming.”

Ren nodded. “Um, I know you talked about it before, but what is this secret project of Makoto’s you’re working on?”

Yusuke sighed. “I’d rather not talk about it now. Besides, she might let you in on it if she thinks it’s a good idea.”

“Great,” Ren said, still unsure.

“But today, we are focusing on my art,” Yusuke said. “As you know, I’m a bit stuck. So I’ve thought about it, and I believe I need to see Madarame’s house again.”

“Huh. That’s a little unconventional,” Ren said.

“Hm. I take that as a compliment,” Yusuke said. “Anyways, shall we?”

Ren nodded. “Sure.”

“Very well then,” Yusuke said. “Tally ho!” He started walking to his old abode, with Ren following him. Once they arrived, Yusuke stopped and stared. “Huh. It…feels different than the last time I was here.”

“Well, the last time you were here, police were there taking evidence away,” Ren pointed out.

“True,” Yusuke said. “Let’s head in.” He grabbed the doorknob and tried to open it, but the door wouldn't move. “It’s stuck.”

“Let me try,” Ren said. With her finesse, she managed to open the door.

“How’d you do that?” Yusuke asked.

“In my hometown, there’s this abandoned building that kids like to use as a test of courage,” Ren said. She got a little more somber. “Sometimes I went there just to be alone.”

“I see…” Yusuke said. “To be honest, I sort of know the feeling. Whenever Madarame was feeling particularly cruel, I would sometimes hide in the closet just to be alone too.”

Ren smiled. “Well, luckily, we don’t need to be alone anymore.”

“Hm. You’re right,” Yusuke said. “Let’s head in now, shall we?” Ren nodded, and the two headed in. Once inside,Yusuke looked around, slightly surprised. “Huh. I mean, I guess the police did take everything, but…”

“You alright?” Ren asked.

“Yes,” Yusuke answered. “Well, I mean… Maybe. I don’t know.” He looked around some more. “I know this place is empty, but I remember where everything was. I remember when there was more than just me, we would gather around over here and discuss things. Sometimes art, sometimes it was things we found interesting, sometimes it was nothing at all.

And here. We’d share our art with everyone. We’d offer each other tips and suggestions. Truly, it was a place of pure art. However, as I’m sure you’re aware, there was a lingering darkness too, and one by one, people left.

I tried convincing myself that the darkness wasn’t there for a long time. That this was a place of pure art. But I suppose we all have to wake up from dreams eventually. But I still feel like I’m in the clutches of this dream.

Ever since leaving here, I thought I had everything under control, but I feel more lost than ever. I thought that now without Madarame-sensei, I could pursue art without being tainted, but I somehow feel even more tainted.” He gasped. “Look at me. I’m still calling him ‘sensei’. Maybe I’m more lost than I thought.”

“Who’s there?!” a voice called out.

“Uh-oh,” Yusuke said. “Maybe we didn’t think this through.”

“Is there a place we can hide?” Ren wandered.

Before Yusuke could answer, the man came into the room they were in. “Oh, it’s you,” he said.

Yusuke was surprised. “Wait, you’re the man from the exhibit.”

He nodded. “My name is Akiko Kawanabe, the director of the Japanese Art Support Foundation.”

“I see,” Yusuke said.

“I take it you're in here because you feel lost?” Kawanabe asked.

“How’d you know?” Yusuke replied.

“I’ve seen a lot of things in my time,” Kawanabe answered. “I was walking by here on my way home, when I noticed the door was open. I just wanted to check to see if vandals were here.”

“I see. I guess that makes sense,” Yusuke said. “So, what do you intend to do now?”

“I should be asking you that question,” Kawanabe retorted. “You want to continue being an artist, correct?”

“More than anything,” Yusuke answered.

Kawanabe nodded. “Well then, take me card.” He pulled out his card and gave it to Yusuke. “I would like to meet with you concerning your future as an artist. For now, I should get going. And I suggest the two of you do the same.” He left.

Yusuke looked at the card; curious as to what this Kawanabe wanted. “Um,” Ren interjected, “as much as I would normally let you sit there and process everything, we should at least leave. I mean, I don’t want to get arrested again.”

Yusuke nodded. “Right.” They left and met outside of Madarame’s house.

After they got there, Ren asked “How are you feeling?”

“Well, I’m not sure,” Yusuke answered. “There’s a lot happening.”

“That’s understandable,” Ren said.

“I really thought coming here would reignite the passion I seemed to have lost,” Yusuke said. “But all it did was teach me I’m as empty as that house.”

“I don’t think you’re empty,” Ren said. “You’re always drawing or sketching something. You do all sorts of things in the name of art.”

“But I can’t seem to escape the negativity surrounding me,” Yusuke said.

“Well, you kind of did it before,” Ren reminded him. “You were the one that called the Phantom Thieves when you found out what was going on.”

“Well, I didn’t have much of a choice,” Yusuke said. “For years, I was hesitant to do anything about Madarame. But when that happened, I felt like I couldn’t stand idly by. Maybe I’m just a coward.”

“You’re not a coward,” Ren said. “You’re a kid. Making these kinds of choices is a little outside your wheelhouse, especially under the level of stress you were under.”

Yusuke sighed. “Still. I know I did the right thing, but it feels like I’m losing myself a little bit.”

Ren chuckled. Yusuke gave her a confused look. “I’m sorry, but who do you think you’re talking to? For years, I felt like I was doing the right thing and got punished for it. Even getting arrested for it.”

“Hmmm. I guess that’s true,” Yusuke said. “And it’s true that ever since I became a part of the Phantom Thieves, I’ve felt like I can be more open.”

“Me too,” Ren said.

Yusuke looked at the card again. “I feel like I should at least hear him out. I can’t get anywhere just by wallowing in the past. I need to start looking forward. Even if this doesn’t turn out exactly how I want it, I feel like I need to take the chance.”

Ren smiled. “That’s the spirit.”

“Would you mind joining me when I meet with him?” Yusuke asked. “I feel like I need a sobering presence there, and you’ve been helping me out a lot.”

“Of course,” Ren said. “And come what may, you know I’ll be rooting for you.”

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 6

They grabbed a quick lunch, and then went home.

After picking up Morgana, Ren decided to go shopping for a bit. While she was out, she noticed her phone was going off. She checked, and saw a series of pictures from Ann and Ryuji celebrating that not only did they get the high score on the dancing game, but also they were a couple now.

Ren: Congrats you two!

Sumire: Way to go!

Lena: You two look so cute together!

Makoto: So, how did it happen?

Ryuji: Ann just came over and asked me out.

Makoto: Woah!

Makoto: Well, congratulations you two. On both things!

Yusuke: In a way, I’m not surprised.

Yusuke: When Ann is determined to do something, she tends to do it.

Ann: Thanks.

Ann: But it wasn’t the easiest thing in the world either.

Ann: But I’m glad I did it.

Jose: I’m also glad for you.

Jose: You two look really happy together.

Ryuji: Aw, shucks. Thanks Jose.

As Ren was reading the chat while walking around town, Morgana was looking it over as well. Ren decided to check in on Morgana. “How do you feel about this?”

Morgana was surprised. “I’m fine.” Ren stared at him. “Honest.”

“You sure?” Ren asked.

“Well, yeah,” Morgana answered. “I mean, they clearly love each other. You even told me she was interested in him before all of this. I’m happy for them.”

“It's just us here,” Ren said.

“Really, I’m fine,” Morgana countered. “If I got upset every time I didn’t get my way, I’d be no better than a palace ruler.”

“I know,” Ren said. “But it’s fine to admit you’re in pain too.”

“Well, I can’t say it doesn’t hurt just a little,” Morgana admitted. “But I’m sure it’ll fade away in due time.”

“Hm,” Ren grinned. She went back to the chat.

Ren: Morgana sends his well wishes too.

Ann: Aw, thanks Morgana.

Ryuji: Yeah. Thanks.

Ren turned back to Morgana. “I’ll get you some sushi tonight for being a good sport.”

“You don’t have to,” Morgana said.

“I insist,” Ren said.

“Thanks,” Morgana said. “Why are you being so nice to me about this?”

“Well, partially because we’re friends,” Ren answered, “but also I’ve had my heart broken in the past too. I know how it feels.”

“Well, you have Sumire now,” Morgana replied.

“And I’m sure something good is gonna come your way too,” Ren said. She continued on her way to the store.

In the evening, she and Morgana were enjoying the sushi she had gotten. As they were eating, she heard a panicked knock at the door. She looked and saw Kawakami in the window wearing her maid uniform and booking incredibly worried. She opened the door. “Hello?”

Before she could say anything, she rushed into Leblanc and hid in one of the booths. “Hide me.”

Before Ren knew what was happening, she heard a familiar voice that was out of breath. She turned to see Dr. Maruki catching his breath. He looked up to see Ren. “Amamiya-chan? What are you doing here?”

“Um, I have a few questions myself,” Ren said.

Maruki chucked. “Right. I guess this is a bit of a shock.” Maruki looked up at the sign. “Wait, this is a restaurant?”

“Yeah…” Ren answered.

“Do you live here?” Maruki asked.

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“I see. May I come in?” Maruki said.

“Well…” Ren said, unsure.

Kawakami groaned. She sat up in the booth, dejected. “This is not going well.”

Maruki and Ren were shocked. Ren turned to Maruki and said “I guess you can come in.” Maruki nodded and walked in, sitting across from Kawakami. Ren took out some more sushi. “Do you guys want some sushi?” she asked. Morgana groaned. “I was saving them for leftovers, but if you want some…”

“I ate already,” Maruki said.

“My stomach is sick,” Kawakami answered.

“I see then,” Ren said. She put the sushi back in the fridge. Morgana was happy. Ren pulled up a chair and sat between them. “So. What is happening?”

Maruki nodded. “Well, a little while ago, I discovered a flier for a maid service company in my office. I held onto it in case I needed it. And I thought ‘well, let’s try it out tonight’. Imagine my surprise when soon after I put in my request, Miss Kawakami showed up wearing, well, this.” Kawakami groaned.

Maruki continued. “I wanted some answers, but she ran off before I could say anything. I gave chase, and we ended up here. Although why we did, I’m not entirely sure.”

“Ugh,” Kawakami grunted. “It’s because Amamiya already knows about me moonlighting as a maid.”

“Oh!” Maruki reacted.

“Well, that makes sense,” Ren said. “So, now that we’re all on the same page, what now?”

“I don’t know,” Kawakami said. “I thought I could get out of this, but I guess I can’t.”

“Um, get out of what?” Maruki asked.

Kawakami sighed. “I guess my time as a teacher has come to an end…”

Maruki was surprised. “What makes you say that?”

Kawakami glared at him. “I don’t know. Maybe because one of my coworkers found out my secret.” She sighed again. “It’s only a matter of time before you tell Principal Kobayakawa.”

“Is that what you’re worried about?” Maruki said. “Tell you what, my lips are sealed.” Kawakami was stunned. “I mean, that was one of the stipulations for me coming on as a therapist; I remain independent from the school.”

Kawakami was overcome with this kindness. “Right…”

Maruki stood up. “Here, take my card,” he said. He offered Kawakami his card, and she took it. “You don’t need to tell me anything now, but if you feel like you need someone to talk to, just know I’ll be there for you.”

“Th-Thanks,” Kawakami said.

Maruki nodded. “I already paid the service. You don’t need to come by, and I don’t need to say anything. I guess I’ll just try it later.”

Kawakami nodded. “Yeah. Thanks.”

“Well, I should get going,” Maruki said. “I’m a little tired. I’ve been working on my research paper all day. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Ren said.

“Goodnight,” Kawaki said as well. Maruki left Leblanc.

Ren ginned. “Well, that went better than expected, didn’t it?”

“I…guess,” Kawakami answered, still unsure. She sighed. “I just got off lucky.”

“Perhaps,” Ren said.

“That’s not very assuring,” Kawakami snidely remarked.

“I mean, two people from school know your secret,” Ren reminded her. “It seems only a matter of time before the bubble bursts.”

“It sounds like you want me to get caught,” Kawakami said.

Ren shook her head. “I want you to get out before that happens.”

Kawasaki looked at the floor. “You know why I’m doing this.”

“Yeah,” Ren answered. “I know you feel like you have to honor Takase. But if this happens again, you might even be barred from being a teacher, and then who are you helping?”

Kawakami looked up, stunned. “I…I guess…”

“I don’t claim to have all the answers,” Ren said, “but I don’t think this can be good for you”

“Hm,” Kawakami chuckled. “Maybe.” She sighed. “I guess I knew that I couldn’t keep this up forever. Maybe it’s time to stop.”

Ren smiled. “That’s the spirit.”

“Still, there’s so much I need to do,” Kawakami said. “I can’t just leave without saying anything.”

Ren giggled. “Well, I’m sure you can do what you need to. After all, you have my support. Not to mention, Dr. Maruki’s.”

“Right,” Kawakami said. “You know, it just occurred to me. Takase was all alone when I decided to help him, and I was all alone when you decided to help me.” She laughed. “Having someone on your side  can be really powerful. I believed that to be my role as a teacher. But I guess I just lost it somewhere along the way.”

Ren smiled. “Well, I’m glad you’re getting it back.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 6

Kawakami stood up. “I should get going too. I still have one more house to visit tonight.”

“Take care,” Ren said. Kawakami smiled, bowed, and left.

Notes:

I've been thinking. Once we get to The Cleanse, the plot is going to pick up again. And honestly, I cannot wait to show you what it is I have in store. But I feel like I need figure a few things out first, due to the changes I'm making. I just need to refresh myself on a few things is all, so no worries.

In regards to this chapter, I'm surprised at how well it synergizes. I mean, I guess it makes sense, since all of the Confidants can relate to Ren in one way or another, but this feels like it works better than it should.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 116: Underlying Stress

Chapter Text

On Thursday, Ren was eating her breakfast when Sojiro asked. “Hey. You think you could help out around here today?”

Ren looked at him. She nodded. “Yeah. I think It could help me too. There’s just been a lot on my mind.”

“Right,” Sojiro said. “Despite you not really doing any typical summer break events, you’ve had quite a busy summer.”

“Let me finish breakfast first, and then I’ll get ready,” Ren said. She continued eating, and eventually finished her breakfast. She washed her dishes, and then got ready to help around the cafe.

For the first few hours, it was business as usual. Customers came in, ordered and ate food, talked about things with each other, as well as Ren and Sojiro when they could. Overall, it was nice.

After a while, they were alone again, when they heard the bell of someone coming in. “Welcome,” Ren said. She was then a little surprised. “Dr. Maruki?”

He waved as he finished entering. “Hi.”

Ren was a little perplexed. “What are you doing here?”

Maruki sat down at the counter. “Well, there are a few reasons. For one, I looked it up, and apparently this place has some amazing curry.”

“I take it you want some?” Ren wondered.

“If you don’t mind,” Maruki said.

“Coming right up then,” Ren said. She got to work on the curry.

Meanwhile, Sojiro was giving Dr. Maruki a puzzled look. Maruki noticed this and asked “I take it you’re the owner of this establishment.”

“Yeah,” Sojiro answered bluntly.

“Are you her primary caretaker while she is in Tokyo?” Maruki asked.

“Yeah,” Sojiro answered again. He looked intently at Maruki. “You seem familiar…”

“Really?” Maruki wondered.

Sojiro nodded. “I can’t quite place it, but I think I’ve seen you before.”

While Ren was cooking, she popped her head out. “Hm? Oh, right. He worked with Wakaba.”

Sojiro and Maruki were shocked beyond belief. “You…you worked with Wakaba?” Sojiro wondered.

“Yeah,” Maruki nervously admitted. “Although I wasn’t terribly high up. I was working there a little for my college after I graduated. Until that project got shut down, that is. Oh, but I recognize you now. You’re the person from the government that would always talk with her.”

“Yeah…” Sojiro said.

Maruki turned to Ren. “But I’m not sure how you know that.”

“It's complicated,” Ren said. “Let me finish making your curry first.”

“Oh, sure,” Maruki said. Maruki waited patiently in the semi-awkward silence  while Ren finished making his curry. Once Ren finished, she plated the curry and served it to Maruki. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome,” Ren said. “Now, as for how I’m familiar with Wakaba. Like I said, it’s fairly complicated. So, you know about our war with Medjed?”

“Um, you mean The Phantom Thieves’ war with Medjed?” Maruki asked nervously, gesturing towards Sojiro.

“He knows,” Ren informed him.

Maruki looked at Sojiro who nodded. “Oh. I see,” Maruki said. “Please continue.”

Ren nodded. “So, days into the threat, there was a second threat from The Original Medjed. The Original Medjed is Wakaba’s daughter, whom Sojiro had adopted.”

“Oh my!” Maruki said, stunned.

“She had a palace,” Ren continued, “but Eris also chose to corrupt her. We stormed the palace and broke Futaba free from both the influence of the palace and Eris. But during the exploration, something interesting happened.”

“G-Go on,” Maruki said, interested but concerned.

“Palaces have these thingd called Will Seeds,” Ren explained. “Essentially, they are the building blocks of a palace. They are planted, and then grow into a palace.”

“Huh,” Maruki said. “That’s fascinating.”

“However, when we went through Futaba’s Palace, that wasn’t entirely the case,” Ren continued. Maruki was confused. “Usually Will Seeds tell us about the events that occurred that led to the creation of the palace. And while we saw that to some extent through the palace itself, the Will Seeds we found belonged to Wakaba. And you appeared in one of them.”

Marui was stunned. “Wow. That is stunning.” He smiled. “Forgive me, but as someone who has studied this, I am fascinated. Would you mind if I asked a few questions?”

“Go ahead,” Ren said. “In fact, your expertise might be welcomed in helping us understand what’s going on as well.”

Maruki nodded. “Of course. So, before I get into what I’m most curious about, you said that you saw what a Will Seed would provide through the palace. What do you mean by that?”

Ren was taken aback a little. “Well… Without getting into too much detail, in order to get through the palace, we had to arrange these puzzles that showed us various things about Futaba’s past that probably caused the palace to form.”

“I see,” Maruki said. “Mind if I hypothesize?”

“Go ahead,” Ren said.

Maruki nodded. “This is just a guess, since I haven’t been inside any palace aside from my own, but I imagine that since Futaba is different  from other palace rulers, she’s not one to hide her insecurities.”

“I guess that makes sense…” Ren said.

“Wait,” Sojiro interjected. “You had a palace?”

Maruki was a little surprised, but nodded and said “Yeah. It got destroyed though.”

“How?” Sojiro asked.

“Eris,” Ren explained.

“Huh,” Sojiro replied. “Do you know why?”

Ren and Maruki were surprised. “Uh, I’m not entirely sure,” Maruki answered. “Maybe it has something to do with what was, until that point, my goal.”

“Which was…?” Sojiro asked.

“Eliminate suffering,” Maruki explained.

Sojiro was shocked. “Well… that’s bold.”

Maruki chuckled more casually than what may be appropriate for the situation. “Well, that’s one way to put it.”

“That might be it though,” Ren said, thinking about it. “I mean, I don’t see a reason why she would destroy a palace unless it interfered with her goal.”

“I see,” Maruki said. “Allow me to get back to the most pressing question on my mind. Why did Wakaba’s Will Seeds show up in Futaba’s palace?”

Ren took a breath. “While I’m not 100% sure, we did see something that could be the reason. The last thing we saw was Wakaba drinking some kind of concoction, and then later took a drop of her blood and mixed it in with Futaba’s food.”

“Huh,” Maruki said.

“You don’t seem that surprised,” Sojiro stated.

“Eh heh,” Maruki chuckled. “Well, as we just went over, I had a palace with the goal to eliminate suffering. Part of the plan to achieve such a bold goal, as you put it, was to figure out a way to, for lack of a better word, coerce people using cognitive psience. While we were working on it, we did find some ways to influence people, but they were limited in scale.”

“Heh,” Sojiro laughed. “A really smart person would know how to do a lot with a little.”

“True, but our project was canceled, remember?” Maruki retorted.

“I wasn’t entirely talking about you,” Sojiro said. “Although I guess it is warranted. What I mean is that if someone stole the data, they could get a lot from that limited scale.”

“I see what you mean,” Maruki said. “I will admit that sometimes I miss the trees for the forest. I tend to focus a lot on the big picture without seeing the details around me. I have been working on that though. But back to the big picture here, that methodology you described could be why there are those mental shutdowns. If someone knew that, canceled our project, and stole the data, they could probably figure out how to orchestrate all of this. Using a little to get a lot, like you said.”

Ren and Sojiro grew alarmed. “Would you happen to have names?” Ren asked Sojiro. “You worked for the government then.”

“Believe me,” Sojiro said, “I have names in excess. Too often at that old job you’d meet people who continually hunger for power. I could give you 25 names off the top of my head and none of them could be right.”

Ren sighed. “I see.”

“Well, it is a start,” Maruki said. “And as we've been discussing, a smart person can do a lot with a little.”

“Yeah…” Ren said, still slightly frustrated.

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out,” Maruki said. “Now, there’s another reason I came by.” Ren was surprised. “You told me last night during my impromptu visit that you lived here. I wanted to make sure you were doing OK.”

“Huh,” Ren said, confused by the whiplash. “Uh, yeah. As you know, Sojiro is my guardian for my time in Tokyo, and there’s a loft upstairs.”

“Well, I was kind of wondering why,” Maruki said.

“We’ve sort of explained ‘why’,” Sojiro said.

“Yeah, Futaba was, uh, not in a great place, and Sojiro figured it would be better to give her room to breathe and not overwhelm her,” Ren explained.

“Oh, I see,” Maruki said. “Honestly, now that you say it, I should have thought of it earlier.”

“Why did you come by last night?” Sojiro said.

“It’s complicated,” Ren answered. “To explain it would take too long, and I’d be betraying someone’s trust.”

“Well…” Sojiro responded. “I guess I’ll just have to accept that.”

Maruki nodded. “Well then, is there anything else on your mind?” he asked. “I mean, I know school is starting back up soon, but  as long as I’m here we can talk.”

Ren thought about it for a minute. “Well… How can I tell people something that might not be easy for me to tell people without it feeling like I’m ripping off a bandage and worry about things going wrong?”

Maruki was a little perplexed by the question. “Well… That can be a bit of a toughie. I’m not even sure there’s an answer that will work 100% of the time. But it does remind me of an idea I learned in some of my early psychology classes; The science of reasoning and logic.

Reasoning and logic is something fascinating itself. As scientists, we are taught to use deductive reasoning to come to conclusions. However, we as humans use inductive reasoning a lot, and with a high degree of accuracy.” He took a coin out of his pocket. “For instance, it is inductive reasoning that tells me that if I were to let go of this coin, it would fall.” He let go, and it fell.

Ren was slightly confused. “But didn’t we prove gravity existed?” she wondered.

“Well, that’s sort of a loaded question,” Maruki said. “To some extent, yes, but gravity as we know it didn’t not exist until Newton published his findings. And even to this day, it’s called the theory of gravity. The point is, science is a careful profession, and one which won’t outright state 100% certainty on anything. However, we can offer a general consensus on things, like gravity.

Which brings me back to your conundrum. I can’t guarantee with 100% certainty that whatever it is you have to say won’t go horrible. However, I will say that if you’ve told people you trust before, and you only aim to tell people you trust, then chances are things won’t be too bad.”

Ren was processing Maruki’s on the spot lesson. She smiled. “Thanks. I’m a lesbian.”

Maruki was a little stunned by this admission, but smiled and said “I see.” He got a little intrigued. “You know, last time you came to my office, you told me you were dating someone. Would you mind telling me who your girlfriend is, or are you not there yet?”

Ren was a little bashful, but she admitted. “...Sumire.”

“I see,” Maruki replied. “Well, I wish nothing but the best for you both.”

“Thanks,” Ren said, smiling with rosy cheeks.

Councilor-Takato Maruki: Rank 5

Maruki looked down. “Gah! We’ve been talking for so long, my curry’s almost cold.”

“You want me to make you another?” Ren asked.

“No, it’s OK,” Maruki said. “I’m sure it’ll still taste good.” He took a bite. “DELICIOUS!” He continued eating. Once he finished, he paid and said “Thanks. Today was, well, I’m not quite sure how to describe it. But I enjoyed it.”

“Same,” Ren said.

“Well, take care,” Maruki said. He left Leblanc. Ren kept helping for the rest of the day.

As evening drew near, Sojiro turned to Ren and asked “Hey, can you finish cleaning up for the day? I wanna get back to Futaba.”

Ren nodded. “How is she, by the way?”

“Well, she hasn’t thrown up in a bit from what I can tell,” Sojiro informed her. “Plus, I can maintain a conversation with her for about 10 minutes before she wants to go to sleep again.”

Ren smiled. “Well that’s good.”

“Yeah,” Sojiro agreed. “She looks like she’s going to fully recover any day now.” Sojiro nodded. “Well good night.”

“Good night,” Ren said. Sojiro left. While Ren was cleaning up, she got a phone call. She picked up. “Hello?”

“Is this Ren Amamiya?” the person on the other end asked.

“Yeah?” Ren replied, unsure of what was happening.

“This is the hospital,” the person on the other end explained. “We’re calling to inform you that your friend Sadayo Kawakami  has been admitted.”

Ren was certainly confused as to why the hospital was calling her, but she knew that she needed to be there for Miss Kawakami. “I’ll be right there.”

“Do you need to address?” the hospital operator asked.

“Yeah,” Ren answered. They gave it to her. “Thank you. I’ll be there as soon as I can.” She hung up, quickly gathered her things, and rushed out. Once she arrived, the patient services representatives were a little surprised to see a high school girl, but led her to Kawakami’s room anyway.

Soon after Ren had arrived, Kawakami woke up. “Ugh,” she groaned. She tried to gather her surroundings. She saw Ren, and was shook completely awake. “Wha…What are you doing here?”

“Well,” Ren said, a little uncomfortable, “you listed me as your emergency contact?”

Kawakami looked around more and realized she was in the hospital. “Oh… I guess I passed out…”

“What happened?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Kawakami said. “I was working on my curriculum this morning. I think I lost track of time, and realized I only had 20 minutes until I had to get to…well…” Ren nodded. “I rushed over and just as I was about to start, everything went black.”

“I see,” Ren said. “It sounds like you’re overworking yourself.”

Kawakami groaned. “I know…” Just then, these two angry looking people, a man and a woman, waltzed in. Kawakami became alarmed. “What are you doing here?”

“You weren’t answering your calls,” the man said. “This is the closest hospital to your house.”

“I see…” Kawakami relented.

“Your payment is overdue,” the man said.

“We just want to be sure you can pay it,” the woman insisted.

“Yeah…” Kawakami. “I’ll send you the money soon.”

The couple looked at Ren. “Who is this?” the man asked.

“Oh, uh, she’s one of my students,” Kawasaki said. “Don’t mind her.”

“A student?” the man said in disbelief. “Coming to see you? Pah! That’s rich.” He turned to Ren. “Listen, I’d get out of here if I were you.”

“She’s a dangerous teacher,” the woman said. “Why she…” She stopped herself and let out some tears. “She’s the reason our son is dead.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So, you must be the Takases.”

They were surprised. “So, you know the story, huh,” the man said. “So why are you still hanging around this pathetic excuse for a teacher?”

“Because she’s my teacher,” Ren answered calmly, but firmly. “And I disagree with that assessment.”

“Excuse me?” the man said.

“But she killed our Taiki!” the woman protested.

Ren stood up. “What happened to him was accidental,” she countered. The parents were shook. “And I for one believe she’s paid you enough.”

“Why YOU!” The man raised hand to slap Ren.

“STOP!” Kawakami called out, causing the man to stop. She exhaled. “You leave her alone. This is just between you and me. Now, I’ve already told you you’re getting your money. Do you have anything else to say to me?”

The parents were frozen in confusion. They relented as the man said “No.” He sternly walked out.

“We’ll expect the money soon,” the woman said. “We won’t be as gracious next time.” She followed her husband out.

Kawakami sighed. “Sorry,” Ren said. She sat back down.

Kawakami looked at her in shock. “What are you sorry for?”

“Well, you know I’ve been arrested right?” Ren said. “I’m not supposed to pick fights like that while I’m on parole. I thought that since I’ve been making friends, I’ve become less adversarial, but… I can’t look past stuff like this. I know I shouldn’t, or else things will get real bad, but… something in me just keeps pushing anyway.”

Kawakami got serious. “That something is Justice. You have nothing to apologize for. In fact, I should be the one to apologize. You were just standing up for me. I’ve been playing their game since Taiki’s death, and it almost led to another one of my students getting injured. Plus, there was the whole Kamoshida incident.”

She took a deep breath. “For far too long, I’ve let one bad incident define me and my relationship with my students. I feel like I’m letting them pass me by more than actually helping them. And yet, time after time, you’ve been there for me. This whole thing started as an accident, but I feel like my eyes have been more open than they have been in a long time, and it’s all because of you.

I think this is it. This is my wake-up call. I passed out because I’m over exhausted, and that over exhaustion has caused me to lose too much already. And looking further down the path I’m taking, I see no light. It’s time for me to move on.”

Ren was surprised. “You mean it?”

Kawakami nodded. “I can’t afford a second Taiki.”

Ren smiled. “You know, I think that’s what he would have wanted.”

Kawakami smiled back. “Me too.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 7

“So, uh, why am I your emergency contact?” Ren asked.

“Oh, that,” Kawakami said. “Well, um, my family isn’t in Tokyo, and I felt like I needed someone close by, and well, since you’ve been helping me and understood my situation, I figured…”

Ren nodded. “Gotcha. So, you going to be OK?”

“I think so,” Kawakami said. “I just need to rest up, and I should be out of here soon.”

Ren nodded. “Well, just message me when you get out.”

“I will,” Kawakami said. “And thanks. For everything.” Ren smiled, nodded, and left the hospital.

Chapter 117: Day and Nighthawks

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up Friday to a message.

Kawakami: The hospital let me out late last night.

Kawakami: I went home and instantly fell asleep.

Kawakami: But I’m feeling alright.

Ren: Glad to hear.

Kawakami: I’m taking steps to move on from my other job.

Ren: Glad to hear that too.

Kawakami: It might take a bit but I think I’ll be ready by the time school starts back up again.

Kawakami: You take care now.

Ren: Same to you.

Ren put her phone away and got ready for the day. She was hopeful. Kawakami was starting to turn things around. Sojiro said that Futaba was starting to feel better. And thanks to Dr. Maruki, they had a lead. It was a slim lead, but it was a lead nonetheless.

At breakfast, Ren got another message.

Makoto: Say, could Yusuke and I come over for a bit?

Ren: Is this related to your secret project?

Makoto: Well, yes.

Ren: Then by all means.

Makoto: Thanks.

Ren put her phone away and finished her breakfast.

Soon after that, Makoto and Yusuke showed up. Sojiro took notice. “Is the whole gang showing up?”

Makoto shook her head. “We’re working on something else.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Carry on.”

Makoto and Yusuke sat in the booth across from where Ren was already sitting. “So, what’s up?” Ren asked.

“Well,” Makoto began, “you know how I’ve been a little worried about Eiko and her new boyfriend? Well, I tried looking into him. I found some stuff that seems a little shady, but nothing outright bad. And then Eiko found out what I was doing.”

“How did that go?” Ren asked.

“Well...” Makoto continued. “It was a little bit touch and go. I didn’t want her to think I hated him, and in all honesty, I don’t, but I don’t know enough about him. I explained that I’m just overly cautious. I informed her how my dad often investigated cases involving shady hosts.

And then she just smiled and offered to introduce him to me personally. She even told me he could bring one of his friends and we could make it a double date. And in a panic, I told her I was already dating someone.” She flopped her head down on the tabletop.

“Are you dating someone?” Ren asked.

“No!” Makoto said, clearly stressed out. She sat back up. “That’s why I asked Yusuke to be my pretend boyfriend for this meeting.”

“Ha! Good one,” Ren said.

“Believe me, she’s incredibly serious,” Yusuke remarked.

Ren seemed confused. “Really? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like you Yusuke, but… You don’t exactly seem like typical boyfriend material. Although, I guess I’m not one to speak on that.”

“Makoto and I have been working on…that…” Yusuke said. “It hasn’t been the easiest thing, but after hearing Makoto’s concerns, I knew I had to help.”

“So, why did you go with Yusuke?” Ren asked.

“Well…he seemed like the best candidate I could get within a short period of time,” Makoto answered. “Ryuji is a no because, and I mean this in the best possible way, it would be obvious we weren’t really dating, and Jose’s just a kid. Yusuke’s a little odd, yes, but I can at least trust him to maintain focus.”

“You know, I could have pretended to be a guy for you,” Ren informed her.

Makoto was stunned for a second. “Uh, no offense, but I don’t think anyone would see you as a guy. I mean, for starters, you’re almost as big as Ann.”

Ren laughed nervously. She then resumed her focus. “What about Hiroki?”

“Well…” Makoto got a little nervous. “Hiroki is sort of like Ryuji in that it would be obvious that we weren’t dating.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

“Well, for starters, he’s also in the student council,” Makoto said. “That might raise some red flags in Eiko’s mind. Aside from that, Hiroki in particular is a bit aloof most of the time, and doesn’t have the best poker face when he’s not.”

“Wow, you weren’t kidding about the Ryuji comparison,” Ren remarked.

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed.

“He is hard working, and dedicated to the student council,” Makoto added. “But I don’t think he’d be the best fit for a mission like this.”

“I see,” Ren said. “So, why are you telling me all of this?”

“Well, uh, I was wondering if you could help out in some way,” Makoto said. “I’d like you to be a plant in the diner so you can observe things. Like, if there’s a moment Yusuke or I can’t be there, you’d be available to make sure things are on the up and up.”

“I getcha,” Ren said, a devious grin forming on her face. “He he he.”

Makoto got a little frightened. “Um, I just want you to observe is all.”

“I know, I know,” Ren said, calming down. “This is just a bit exciting. Don’t worry though. I’ll be on my best behavior.”

“Well, thank you,” Makoto said. “So, the plan is to meet with Eiko and her boyfriend, Tsukasa, at 1:30. That means I want you there between 1 and 1:15.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

“Yusuke and I will go over some last minute preparation,” Makoto said.

“Must we?” Yusuke said, dejected.

“Do you want this to fail?” Makoto replied.

“...No,” Yusuke admitted.

“Great,” Makoto said. She turned back to Ren. “Are you ready?” Ren nodded. “Good. Sorry for springing this on you.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “I mean, what’s a summer without some light stealth?”

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed. “We are still in high school after all. Might as well enjoy it to the fullest.”

Makoto was a little hesitant. “Um, right.” She composed herself. “Well then, we have some time before we need to go. Do you mind if we start our practice now?”

“Go ahead,” Ren replied.

“Thank you,” Makoto said. “Now Yusuke…” Makoto and Yusuke went over their cover story and general tips for a while. When it came time for Ren to leave, she headed upstairs. “Um, what are you doing?” Makoto asked.

“Oh,” Ren answered. “I’m grabbing some of my summer homework. That’s going to be my cover.”

“Oh, I see,” Makoto said.”How ingenious of you.”

“She’s not the leader for nothing,” Yusuke added. Ren nodded, grabbed her homework, and headed out.

When Ren arrived, she grabbed a table and started doing some of her summer homework. She kept checking for Makoto and Yusuke, or Eiko and her boyfriend. Makoto and Yusuke showed up first, and patiently waited near the entrance for Eiko and her boyfriend.

Once they arrived, Ren got a good look at Eiko’s boyfriend, and immediately his appearance set off some alarm bells. While she wasn’t attracted to men, that did not stop them from trying to hit on her, and he looked like a guy that might not take a “no” the first time.

Ren took a deep breath. Calm down. He is a host, so maybe that’s why he’s giving off this aura. Plus, Makoto is also a bit riled up about this guy. Still, he doesn’t look like the most savory character. I should just wait and watch like Makoto said. She did take a picture of him, just to be safe.

“Sorry we’re late,” Eiko said.

Tsukasa, Eiko’s boyfriend, pulled Eiko in and said “I just couldn’t get enough of my little princess here.” He planted a kiss on Eiko’s cheek, and she giggled.

“...It’s fine,” Makoto said, a bit nervous about the meeting. “Shall we be seated?” They nodded and sat down.

Eiko looked at Yusuke. “So, this is your boyfriend?”

Yusuke nodded. “The name is Yusuke Kitagawa. I’m a second year at Kosei Academy.”

“Oh, the art school,” Tsukasa replied. “How is it?”

“It’s actually really good, thank you,” Yusuke replied.

“How do you know someone who goes to Kosei, Makoto?” Eiko asked.

“Oh, well, we have a mutual friend who introduced us,” Makoto said.

“Wow,” Eiko said. “It feels like every time I talk to you, there’s a new surprise!”

“Eh heh, well…” Makoto laughed nervously.

“So, how did you two know you were the right ones for each other?” Tsukasa asked.

“Well, I mean, he’s incredibly handsome,” Makoto began, “but what really sold me was his soul. Being an artist comes with a deeper understanding of things.”

“As for me, it was Makoto’s complex aura,” Yusuke explained. “I could tell straight away that she was someone interesting, but it took me a while to see why I felt that way.”

“Woah!” Tsukasa said. “Art students are, like, super cool.”

“Well, you know…” Makoto said, cheeks turning pink and leaning on Yusuke. “So, how about you two? Eiko’s told me a little, but I want to know the whole thing.”

“Oh, you know the story, Makoto,” Eiko said. “Don’t be like that.”

“I’m not familiar with it,” Yusuke said. “And we did just share our story.”

“I mean, he’s right,” Tsukasa said. “Fair’s fair. Why don’t you tell him the story?”

“You?” Ren thought. That’s odd.

“Oh, alright,” Eiko said. “Well, I was getting done with a particularly rough shift, when Tsukasa approached me with a flower. I hate to admit I was a little put off at first, but we got to talking, and he just wanted to cheer me up. I thought that was sweet. We talked some more, and that’s how I became his princess.” She hugged Tsukasa.

“How seet,” Makoto said.

“I know, right?” Eiko said. “You don’t usually find people like that in this day and age. But Tsukasa is something special.” She kissed his cheek. Makoto quickly and quietly jolted a little. “Oh, I have to freshen up. Keep my seat for me.”

“Will do,” Tsukasa said. Eiko got up and went to the restroom. He turned to Makoto. “So, now that EIko’s not here, do you want to tell me what’s really on your mind, Miss Class Rep?”

“I, er, wha?” Makoto stumbled.

“Eiko told me you had some reservations about me,” Tsukasa replied.

“Oh right,” Makoto said as gracefully as she could. “I mean, I don’t have any towards you specifically. After all, we just met. But I do tend to worry easily. Eiko’s my friend, and I don’t want to see her getting hurt.”

“That’s fair,” Tsukasa said. “I mean, you are the class rep. Worrying has to come with the territory. But if it’ll ease your mind, why don’t we exchange phone numbers so we can talk one-on-one.”

“Huh?!” Makoto worried.

Yusuke stepped in. “As her boyfriend, why don’t you exchange phone numbers with me? That way we can work on collaborative efforts to take our girlfriends on more elaborate dates.”

Tsukasa looked at Yusuke displeased. “I think I know how to charm my girlfriend. He turned back to Makoto. “It’s OK. Eiko already gave me your number.”

“She…she did?” Makoto wondered.

“Again, I think it would be more beneficial if you had my number instead,” Yusuke reiterated.

“Heh,” Tsukasa laughed. “You know, you almost had me fooled.”

“What are you talking about?” Makoto wondered.

“This whole ‘fake couple’ thing you two are doing,” Tsukasa explained.

“‘F-Fake’?!” Makoto shrieked.

“Are you suggesting that just because we aren’t as close as you and Eiko, we aren’t a real couple?” Yusuke asked.

Tsukasa chuckled. “I guess that’s fair. But she did offer to set you up with one of my friends. Any other girl would jump at an opportunity like that.”

Yusuke pulled Makoto in. “Well, as I have stated before, Makoto is not like ‘any other girl’.”

Tsukasa looked at the two of them. “Wow, you really are serious about this bit, huh. Alright, I’ll back off. But I do think we should talk some more, Miss Class Rep. After all, Eiko wants us to get to know each other better, right?”

Makoto sat there for a bit before she begrudgingly agreed “...right.”

“See?” Tsukasa smiled. “That wasn’t so hard.” Eiko returned from the restroom. “Hi. What are you guys talking about?”

“You, princess,” Tsukasa said.

“Awww,” Eiko said.

“Well, as much as I hate to leave early, I think it’s time for us to go,” Tsukasa said.

“Aw, do we have to?” Eiko said.

“It can’t be helped,” Tsukasa said. “I have to get to my shift.”

“Right…” Eiko said. “When will you find a new job?”

“I promise, I’m working on it,” Tsukasa said. “It’s just a bit hard with my schedule.”

“I know,” Eiko said. “I just hate the idea of you hitting on other girls.”

“You know that’s just for the job, right?” Tsukasa said. “You’re the only one I care about.”

“Right,” Eiko said. “Well, see ya!” She and Tsukasa started to leave.

“WAIT!” Makoto called out. They stopped. “Uh, well, I mean, since it’s just Tsukasa who has to go, you can stay with us Eiko.”

Eiko shook her head. “It’s OK. I don’t want to be a third wheel. You have a fun date with your boyfriend, OK?”

Makoto was a little stunned. She smiled, nodded and said “Right. Take care.” Eiko waved goodbye to her, and the two left. Almost immediately after they left, Makoto face-planted on the table. “UGH!”

“Well…that didn’t go quite how we expected…” Yusuke surmised. “But on the other hand, it wasn’t a complete loss either.”

Makoto sat up. Ren left her table to join them. “So, what were your impressions?” Makoto wondered.

“Well, he seems crafty,” Yusuke pointed out. “He seems to have a knowledge of women and how to appeal to them. Although, this might not be that unusual, since he’s a host.”

“Right…” Makoto tacitly agreed.

“Still, there were few things off with that guy,” Ren said. “For starters, he got confrontational with you right after Eiko left. Plus, he seemed almost distrusting of your relationship.”

“I mean, it is a fake relationship,” Yusuke clarified.

“That may be true, but there was no real way to prove it,” Makoto added. “Which reminds me. Thank you Yusuke. You were an excellent fake boyfriend.”

“We did practice a lot,” Yusuke said.

“Still, you did incredible,” Makoto added. “I mean, even I was floundering for a bit, but you managed to pull it all together. I’m sure when you find someone for real, you’ll be an even better real boyfriend.”

“Hm. Why thank you,” Yusuke said.

“Back on task,” Ren said, “there was something else that bothered me. Tsukasa asked Eiko to tell the story of how they first met, even though he seemed the more eager of the two to tell the story.”

“What do you suppose that means?” Yusuke asked.

“I think I get it,” Makoto said. “It could mean that he’s had so many girlfriends that he can’t keep any of his information straight.”

“I think so too,” Ren said. “Plus, I kind of got a bad first impression off of him. But that’s just me.”

“No, I get it,” Yusuke said. “Even in the story, Eiko said she was a little put off by him at first.”

“Huh,” Makoto wondered. She thought it over. “Well, as much information as we have, it’s all a bit circumstantial. I want to think about this some more.

“Maybe things will be fine once you talk with him some more,” Yusuke said. “I mean, he does have your phone number.”

“Yeah, that’s a bit weird,” Ren said. “I’d change my number right away if I were you.”

“Well, maybe after this is all over,” Makoto said. “Right now, we’re in the middle of an investigation. There's always a bit of risk involved. But if things get too dicey, I am willing to retreat.”

“Retreat as in back off, or retreat as in look for him in Mementos?” Ren aked.

“Well…I hadn’t thought about that second idea before,” Makoto admitted, “ but it’s not a bad suggestion. For now, I want to keep the investigation smaller in scale.”

Ren nodded. “By the way, is there something else going on?”

“What do you mean?” Makoto asked.

“Well, you didn’t want to involve the student council before,” Ren answered, “and you don’t want to ratchet up the investigation just yet.”

“Plus, you seem more on edge than in a palace,” Yusuke remarked.

Makoto looked down. “Well, I guess all of that’s true. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure myself. And that’s part of the reason I don’t want to rush things. I want to figure out my thoughts on everything that’s going on.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Well, as your fake boyfriend, I understand,” Yusuke said.

Ren smiled. “Me too. Just know that we’re all here for you.”

Makoto smiled back. “Thanks you two.”

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 6

The three of them finished their food, and left.

Later that night, Ren got a message from Iwai.

Iwai: Hey. Can you stop by?

Iwai: I have somethin’ I need ya to do.

Ren: Sure. I’ll be there soon.

Ren headed out to Untouchable.

Once she arrived, Iwai smiled. “Perfect. You’re just in time.”

“So, what’s going on?” Ren wondered.

“Well, you know how I’m trying to investigate Tsuda?” Iwai asked. Ren nodded. “Well, tonight’s a really good night for that. However, I don’t want to leave Kaoru alone. That’s where you come in.”

“You want me to keep an eye on him,” Ren assessed.

Iwai smirked. “You’re sharp, kid. You know that diner down the street? I reserved you two a seat to make it look like a date. Of course, it could turn into a real date if things go well.”

“I doubt it,” Ren said. “Considering I’m already going out with someone.”

Iwai was genuinely taken aback. “Oh geez… I’m sorry kid.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “You didn't know.”

Iwai sighed. “Well, I’m sure you’ll have a good time either way. Oh, before I forget, here.” He handed her one of his model guns. “In case someone tries something funny.”

Ren was stunned. “Um, I did tell you I got arrested, right? I’m still under parole. I can’t just be pulling guns on people, whether or not the gun is fake.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Iwai said. “The owner is an old friend of mine. He got out of the game before I did. He’s been helping me ever since. I’ve told him about what’s going on. He’ll protect you.”

Ren was confused. “The owner of that diner is ex-yakuza?”

Iwai nodded. “Knows how to tow the line too. Really professional.”

“I see…” Ren said.

Iwai checked the time. “Kaoru should be there in about 10 minutes. Why don’t you go on and meet him there?” Ren nodded, took the model gun, put it in her bag, and headed out.

Soon enough, Kaoru showed up, and the two of them sat at a booth. “Hi,” Ren said, somewhat nervously.

“Hi,” Kaoru replied, just as nervous. “Um, my dad told me that this was a pretend date while he was busy.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“Do you know what it’s about?” Kaoru asked.

“He…told me not to say anything…” Ren said. She figured it wasn’t her place to tell Kaoru what was going on.

Kaoru sighed. “Figures. He just doesn’t trust me.”

Ren grew a little concerned. “What makes you say that?”

“Well, I can take care of myself,” Kaoru explained. “And yet, he asked someone to keep me company while he’s busy.”

“Do you not want me to be here?” Ren asked.

Kaoru was surprised. “Would you leave if I said ‘yes’?” he asked back.

“Well, I mean, I’d move to a differ seat,” Ren explained, “but I don’t think I could just leave. For starters, I don’t think I’d hear the end of it from your father.”

Kaoru sighed. “Well, it’s not like I actually want you to leave. I mean, I do kind of want to get to know you better. Dad tells me you’re a real asset to the store.” Ren smiled. “So, where do you go to school?”

“Oh, uh, I go to Shujin Academy,” Ren answered.

“I see,” Kaoru answered. “Do you like it there?”

“Well…” Ren said. “It’s alright, all things considered. I mean, when I started things were rocky.”

“Oh right,” Kaoru said. “The first target of The Phantom Thieves was at Shujin, wasn’t it? Forgive me. You know I’m a third year middle schooler. I’m just trying to look into various high schools to see where I should go.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said. “Well, here’s what I’ll say: I feel whatever school you go to, what really matters is your friends. Good friends can make even the most unbearable situations good.”

“I see,” Kaoru said. “Thanks for that.” Kaoru frowned. “Changing the subject, do you think my father feels burdened by me?”

Ren was surprised. “What gave you that idea?”

“Well, he’s been acting kind of weird lately,” Kaoru said. “Every time I ask him what’s wrong, he tells me not to worry. I don’t most of the time, but when something like this happens, I can’t help but worry.”

Ren sighed. She smiled. “Well, whenever he talks about you in the store, it seems like there’s nothing he wouldn’t do for you.”

Kaoru was stunned. “Really?”

“I promise,” Ren said.

Kaoru smiled. “Thanks.” They talked some more for a bit. It was mostly small talk, and some stories about their friends, but they had a good time.

A little later, Iwai stopped by. “Hey,” he said.

“Hi,” Ren answered.

“How are things going?” Iwai asked.

“Pretty good,” Ren said.

“Hm. I see,” Iwai said, smirking. “Well, I’m gonna check a few more things, but I think the biggest things have passed.” Iwai nodded. Ren nodded back. She inferred that Iwai said it was probably safe if either of them wanted to leave. “Oh hey. You need some more money?”

“We’re fine dad,” Kaoru said.

“Well, take it anyway,” Iwai said, giving them some more money. “Get yourselves a nice dessert or something.”

“Thanks dad,” Kaoru replied.

Iwai nodded back. “I should get going. Oh, and,” he turned to Ren, “sorry again.”

“It’s fine,” Ren replied. Iwai nodded again and left.

“What was that about?” Kaoru asked.

“Oh, right,” Ren said, a little embarrassed. “Um, did your dad mention that this could become a real date?”

Kaoru was now embarrassed. “Oh, uh, yeah. …To be honest, I wasn't going to take you up on that. I mean, you're really nice, but I don’t want my dad to choose my girlfriend, you know.”

“Right,” Ren said, completely understanding. “Well, um, he didn’t know, but I’m already seeing someone.”

Kaoru was intrigued. “Really? What are they like?”

Ren smiled. “Honestly, really amazing. They’re tough, tenacious, while still being really adorable. They’re a little hard on themselves at times, but then again, I’m hard on myself too. But I think we work really well together.”

“Wow,” Kaoru said. He got a message on his phone and checked it. “Oh.” He looked up at Ren. “My friends. They’re at the arcade down the street, and they want me to join them. Is it OK if we cut things a little short?”

Iwai seemed to suggest the worst is behind us for tonight. “Go ahead,” Ren said.

“Thanks,” Kaoru said, getting up. “Here. Let’s split what my dad gave us.”

Ren shook her head. “Keep it.”

“I insist,” Kaoru said.

Ren smiled and took the money. “Thanks.

Kaoru nodded. “It was nice getting to know you.”

“Same to you,” Ren said. Kaoru bowed and headed out. Ren got a phone call from Iwai. “Perfect timing.”

“How’s Kaoru doing?” Iwai asked.

“He just left,” Ren said. She could tell Iwai was panicking. “Some friends invited him to the arcade. I got the sense that you felt like if anything were to happen, it would have happened by now.”

“Hm. Ya got me there,” Iwai said. “So, how’d it go?”

“It went pretty well,” Ren said. “Kaoru’s really nice.”

“You sound like there’s something on your mind,” Iwai said. “What’s up?”

“Hm. You can read me like a book too,” Ren said. “I know we’ve talked about it before, but I think you should tell Kaoru the truth.”

“Hmmmmm,” Iwai groaned.

“I know it’s hard,” Ren said. “I told you that my parents were coming to visit. And when I told them the truth, it went really well. I mean, I was nervous too, but…”

“No, I getcha,” Iwai siad. “Maybe once this whole thing is over.”

“But if it gets out of hand…” Ren warned him.

“I know, I know,” Iwai said. “But I gotta take things at my own pace. I’m sure you understand that.”

Ren nodded. “Yeah. I do.”

“I agree with you kid,” Iwai said, “but it’s not always the easiest thing. Especially when it comes to my former profession. But I think having you around and helping me is giving me a new lease on life.”

“Really?” Ren said.

“Yeah,” Iwai replied. “I mean, you didn’t know me in my mafia days. If you’re willing to work with me, then maybe I can make all sorts of new connections. Although I have to work up to it.”

“You know, going in headfirst has its advantages as well,” Ren said.

“Pah,” Iwai chuckled. “When dealing with the mafia, going in headfirst is a good way to make sure that there’s nothing left but a head.” Ren laughed nervously. “But I get your point. Anyways, thanks for doing this.”

“No problem,” Ren replied.

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 6

“Say,” Ren said, “do you think the owner could help me with something on the down low?”

“Like what?” Iwai asked.

“Well, one of my friends is going out with someone, and some of my other friends don’t quite trust him,” Ren explained.

“No offense, but he doesn’t have time for something petty,” Iwai said.

“Well, the guy’s a host up in Shinjuku,” Ren explained. “We’re a little worried about something nefarious happening.”

“Heh. Now you’re talking,” Iwai said. “Just go to the owner and tell them you know me. He’ll give you some help.”

“Thanks,” Ren said.

“No problem. Well, seeya,” Iwai said.

“Bye!” Ren replied. She hung up. She got up and went to find the owner.

When she did, he was glaring at her. “What is it?” he asked.

“I, uh, I know Iwai,” she said. “He said you could help me with something.”

His mood lightened, but he remained firm. “Well then, what can I do ya for?”

Ren got out the picture of Tsukasa. “This guy is a host in Shinjuku. His name is Tsukasa. He’s currently going out with my friend here,” she said, pointing at Eiko. “Some of my other friends are worried that he’s not what he appears.”

“I see, I see,” the owner said. “Alright, I’ll check it out.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. “Um, do you want my number in case anything comes up?”

The owner shook his head. “I’ll just ask Iwai to contact you. No offense, but you’re a teenage girl. Having your number in my phone would cause numerous problems.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Well, thanks again. By the way, you have a lovely restaurant.”

The owner smiled. “Thanks.” Ren bowed, and headed home for the night.

Notes:

I never imagined a pure confidant chapter would get this long. I know this isn't the first time I've talked about the length of my chapters, and it might not be the last, but it always surprises me. Still, it's very interesting and fun. Another thing I keep mentioning is how giving the whole of P5R a narrative allows me to do different things, and this is another chapter that I explored that idea with. Plus, it helped me structure how I want to do something in the future. What I'm saying is, I like doing this, and I hope you like reading this. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 118: Crisis of Faith

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Saturday at breakfast, the group chat went off.

Makoto: Tomorrow’s the day.

Ann: How’s Futaba doing?

Ren: Boss says she’s on the road to recovery.

Yusuke: Well that’s good.

Makoto: I agree. But the deadline is tomorrow.

Sumire: You’re still worried about Medjed.

Makoto: I don’t want to turn ourselves in, but at the same time…

Ryuji: I know, but what else can we do?

Ryuji: I’m legit trying to think of something, but I’m coming up empty.

Lena: I've been thinking too, but I haven’t figured out anything either.

Yusuke: I think we just need to keep the faith.

Jose: And if it comes to it, I’ll turn myself in.

Sumire: Wait, WHAT?!

Jose: Well, I mean…

Jose: I’m not from this world originally.

Jose: If anyone could take the fall here, it’s me.

Ren: While I appreciate the effort, if we’re doing it, we’re gonna do it together.

Ryuji: Yeah, you’re part of the team. We ain’t leavin’ ya behind.

Jose: Really?

Ann: Of course! You’re an integral part of the team.

Jose: Thanks guys.

Sumire: You had me worried for a second.

Yusuke: Well, if Boss thinks Futaba is set to recover, I don’t think we have much to really worry about.

Makoto: I hope you’re right.

Ryuji: You OK?

Makoto: I just worry easily is all.

Sumire: I get it.

Lena: Me too.

Ann: I think we all do to some extent.

Yusuke: It’s not that I don’t understand the gravity of the situation.

Yusuke: However, if we are to continue and take on whoever is pulling the strings in the mental shutdown cases, we need to be brave enough to face this.

Lena: Not to mention Eris.

Yusuke: Also true.

Yusuke: Of course I’m afraid we need to turn ourselves in. But I can’t think about that until we absolutely need to.

Ren: Well said, Yusuke.

Ren: I’m going to keep watch on Futaba today. I’ll keep you updated if anything changes

Makoto: Thank you.

Ren put her phone away. “I know this is difficult for everyone, but I admire their tenacity,” Morgana remarked.

Ren nodded. “Yeah.” She finished breakfast. After she finished, she and Morgana headed to Sojiro’s house. They entered Futaba’s room. Ren pulled up a chair and sat down, while Morgana peached himself on a nearby shelf.

A little while into it, Futaba woke up. “Oh. Hi,” she said.

“Hello,” Ren replied. “How are you feeling?”

“Eh,” Futaba said. “Better than before.”

“That’s good,” Ren said.

“So, you think you’ll be able to deal with Medjed tomorrow?” Morgana asked.

“Mmm, maybe,” Futaba. Morgana grew concerned. “You know what would help?”

Morgana stood up. “What?”

“Come closer,” Futaba said. Morgana was confused, but for the sake of fighting Medjed, approached Futaba. “Heh heh.” She grabbed Morgana and began cuddling him.

“GAH!” Morgana said, getting caught off guard.

“Heh heh,” Futaba laughed again. “So warm. So cuddly.”

“O…OK,” Morgana said. “Can you let go now?” Futaba was now snoring.

“...I think that’s a ‘no’,” Ren said. Morgana groaned. “Want me to help get you out?”

Morgana sighed. “...I’m actually fine…” he said. “I just want a warning next time.”

Ren chuckled. “You should tell her that when she wakes up.” Morgana groaned. Ren’s phone went off, causing both her and Morgana to perk up a little. Futaba remained asleep. Ren answered. “Hello?”

“Hey, there’s someone here for you,” Sojiro said.

“Who?” Ren wondered.

“She says her name is Suzui,” Sojiro answered.

Shiho? “She’s a friend of mine,” Ren informed him. “Does she say what she wants?”

“Hold on,” Sojiro said. Ren heard some mumbling. “She just wants to talk to you.”

Ren nodded. “I’ll come back as soon as I can.”

“Well…” Sojiro said. “I’ll just close the shop and take your place. I think this could go on for a while.”

“Are you sure?” Ren said. “You’ve been doing this a lot for us lately.”

“Heh. Don’t worry about me,” Sojiro said. “Just get over here.”

“Got it,” Ren said. She hung up. “OK Morgana, I have to go. Sojiro is going to be here in a few minutes. Don’t go anywhere.”

“Very funny,” Morgana remarked. Ren chuckled and left.

When she entered Leblanc, she noticed Shiho sitting at one of the booths. “Hey,” she said approaching the booth.

“Hey,” Shiho said back.

“Do you want something to eat?” Ren said. “I could whip it up for you.”

Shiho was hesitant for a second. “Sure.”

“Alright,” Ren said. “Anything in particular?”

“Just a coffee and curry,” Shiho said. “That’s what’s advertised.”

Ren nodded. “Coming right up.” She prepared Shiho some coffee and curry. She prepared some for herself too. She placed the plates down, and then came back with the coffee.

Shiho took a sip of coffee. “Woah. This is actually really amazing.”

“Hm hm, thank you,” Ren said. “I take it you didn’t just come here to try our cuisine though.”

“Correct,” Shiho said, dejected. She sighed. “I don’t know who else to turn to.”

“What’s up?” Ren wondered.

Shiho was again hesitant. “Well…I’m thinking of giving up on volleyball.”

“Huh,” Ren said. “OK.”

Shiho was a little confused. “Don’t you want to tell me not to give it up? I know Ann would say that…”

“Well, I’m not so sure about that,” Ren said. “But putting that aside for now, you don’t seem certain one way or the other.”

Shiho sighed. “You’ve got that right. I mean, I don’t know. I’ve always liked volleyball, but ever since Kamoshida, it’s been tainted for me. I’ve tried to get back into it, but every time, something happens. I didn’t get the team back right away, I didn’t get the coach to sign off on it, I didn’t even go to volleyball camp this year. It sometimes feels like the world doesn’t want me to play volleyball, you know.”

“Right…” Ren said. “Well, I mean, if you don’t want to, you don’t want to.”

“But is it really that simple?” Shiho asked.

“It seems like you came to me because you didn’t want someone to tell you to keep up with it,” Ren inferred.

“Well…” Shiho replied.

“I mean, I get it,” Ren said. “You know I used to be on my school’s basketball team. I really enjoyed it. However, I was forced off of the team because, well, they found out I’m a lesbian. It was heartbreaking at first. And then I was forced to transfer. Do you know the details of that story?”

Shiho thought about it. “Remind me.”

“Basically, some jerk was trying to force a woman into his car,” Ren explained. “I tried to stop him, but he fell, and accused me of assault.” Shiho got visibly mad. “Yeah, it sucks, believe me. But ever since I came here, I started feeling better. And it’s not because I was on the basketball team; I never had the opportunity to join here.”

“Well, I mean, you found Ann and Ryuji,” Shiho explained. “You have The Phantom Thieves.”

Ren smiled. “So do you.” Shiho was surprised. “We went over this at your birthday party.”

Shiho was stunned. She smiled. “Right.” She sighed. “But still, I feel a little lost…”

“And that’s fine,” Ren said.”Well, not ‘fine’ fine, but, you know.” Shiho giggled. “I mean, if you don’t want to play volleyball anymore, that’s fine. Just know that no matter what, we’re here for you.”

Shiho chuckled. “You said as much at my party. I guess it just needed time to settle in.”

“Believe me, if I could comprehend how to solve all my problems, I’d be in a very different position,” Ren replied.

“Hm hm, right,” Shiho said. She sighed. “I think I want to continue doing volleyball. Despite everything, I still love it. I just needed some perspective. It’s not easy when faced with everything that happened.”

Ren chuckled. “You and Ann really ARE close.” Shiho became curious. “Ann was facing a similar problem with modeling. She was on the fence about it, but decided to continue, despite having every reason not to.”

Shiho was stunned. “Heh. I guess I should have talked to Ann.” She sighed.”I guess I’ve got longer to go than I thought.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll get there,” Ren said. “Wherever that is.”

Shiho nodded.”Thanks.”

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 6

They finished their food, talked a little more, and the Shiho had to head out.

Later that night, Ren got a message from Ohya.

Ohya: Hey kid! I got a juicy story for ya!

Ohya: Wanna stop by?

Ren: Sure. I’m a little nervous about tomorrow, so a bar feels like a good place to go to deal with that.

Ohya: Oh right, the Medjed thing.

Ohya: Well, whatever happens, happens.

Ohya: Come on over.

Ren: OMW.

Ren headed up to Crossroads.

Once she arrived, Ohya greeted her with a hearty “THERE SHE IS!”

“I’m glad you’re here too,” Lala said. “Maybe you can talk some sense to her.”

Ren was concerned when she heard that. “What seems to be the issue?” she asked.

“Ugh, Lala doesn’t want me to run my scoop,” Ohya said.

“You normally wouldn’t,” Lala said. “I don’t know why you need to be talked out of it this time.”

Ren sat down. “I’ll take a soda,” she said. Lala fixed one up for her. Ren turned to Ohya. “So, what’s the scoop?”

Ohya showed her phone to Ren. “Ta-da!” Ren was surprised to see a picture of Akechi and Lena at a sushi restaurant. “It looks like that boy detective has a little girlfriend. I bet you’re happy. After all, the two of you are practically enemies.”

“Uhhhh, I’m actually with Lala on this,” Ren said, nervously.

“WHAT?” Ohya said.

“Ha!” Lala laughed. “I knew she’d have common sense.”

“Ugh, come on,” Ohya said. “I thought you’d be ecstatic. I mean, you and him are on opposing sides, right?”

“Well…no,” Ren explained. “After the conversation we had on air, he approached me and offered to be friends with me. And I accepted.”

“Really?” Ohya said, shocked. “Why?”

“Well, basically he believes that just because people have different opinions doesn’t mean they can’t be friends,” Ren explained. “And I agree to that to some extent. We’ve had a few conversations since, and in reality, we aren’t so different, he and I.”

“I see,” Ohya said. “So, you don’t want me to publish this because you’re friends with detective boy?”

Ren nodded. “And also, I’m friends with his girlfriend there. She actually goes to my school.”

“Huh,” Ohya said, impressed.

“She’s also been through a lot lately,” Ren explained. “So, I’d rather you not make her life a new living Hell either.”

“I see…” Ohya said.

“What made you want to publish this story in the first place.”

Ohya took a sip of her drink. “Well…”

“OHYA!” a commanding voice said, storming into the bar. Everyone looked to see a guy in a dress shirt and tie. “I heard that you were going around doing stuff in secret!”

“Ugh,” Ohya groaned. She continued drinking.

“Don’t ‘ugh’ ME!’ the man berated. “That wouldn’t have anything to do with Kayo, would it?”

Ohya was a little concerned. “Well, uh…”

Ren knew she had to do something. “What seems to be the problem, honey?” she said in a husky voice.

The man was confused. “‘Honey’?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ohya said, playing with the bit. “He’s my boyfriend.”

The man wasn’t buying it. “That’s a girl.”

“Don’t you know where we are?” Ohya said.

The man sighed. “So, you have a ‘boyfriend’?”

Ohya noded. “And he’s in high school. That’s why we’re doing stuff in secret.”

“And you expect me to believe this?” the man asked.

“Is this guy a problem, babe?” Ren asked.

“It’s fine sweetie,” Ohya said. “Just because it’s unconventional, doesn’t mean it’s any less real.”

The man sighed. “Alright. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. But if I even catch a WHIFF of you searching into Kayo, well…”

“Ugh, I get it,” Ohya said.

“Good,” the man said. “Farewell then.” He left.

“Ugh,” Ohya groaned. She looked at Ren. “Thanks kid.”

Ren giggled. “It was nothing.”

“It was not nothing,” Ohya said. “You really saved my skin there. How could I ever repay you?”

“Well, I think you know the answer to that,” Ren grinned.

“Eh,” Ohya said in shock. She turned to Lala, who nodded. “Fine,” Ohya relented. “I won’t run the article.”

“Hm hm, thanks,” Ren said. “But you never did answer my question.”

“Oh, right,” Ohya said. “Well, you saw the reason. My boss. He’s been on my case A LOT lately. I figured he’d get off my back if I gave him something juicy. UGh, I can’t believe I almost resorted to blatant sensationalism.”

“Well, it’s a good thing you have friends like us,” Lala said.

“Yeah…” Ohya said. “There’s just not a lot of dirt on The Phantom Thieves recently. They’ve remained quiet while trying to focus on this Medjed thing.”

“Well, if you want, I can give you something,” Ren said.

“Really?” Ohya said, lighting up.

Ren nodded. “I don’t know all the details, but they did tell me something.”

“What is it?” Ohya said.

“The Phantom Thieves went after The Original Medjed,” Ren explained.

“Why would they do that?” Ohya said.

“Well, The Original Medjed knows how to target current Medjed,” Ren said. “The Phantom Thieves needed a way to deal with them, and they figured this was their best shot.”

“I see, I see,” Ohya said. “But didn’t The Original Mejed want to kill them all?”

“That’s why they went to negotiate with them,” Ren said. “They needed The Original Medjed to tone down their threat, but still make it work.”

“Huh,” Ohya said. “I think I get it. But how did they figure out who The Original Medjed is?”

“All they told me was they had a reliable source,” Ren said.

“Hmmmm,” Ohya said. “Did they manage to do it?”

“They haven’t told me that yet,” Ren admitted. “But they seem optimistic.”

“Hm. Well then,” Ohya said. “I guess we’ll see tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

Ohya sighed. “I kind of wish I had their optimism.”

“You once did,” Lala said. “You still can.”

Ohya sighed. “You saw what just happened. My boss got on my case because he found the SLIGHTEST hint I was trying to find Kayo. I don't think I can be optimistic until this whole thing is settled.”

“Well, I’m sure you’ll settle it,” Ren said. “It’s only a matter of time.”

“I’d like to believe you,” Ohya said, “but as a journalist, I need proof.”

“Well, just look at me then,” Ren said. “I mean, I was arrested on trumped up charges, and right now I feel better than I have in a long time thanks to all the friends I made here.”

“Heh,” Ohya chuckled. “I guess you’re right, kid.”

Ren nodded. “And that included you too.”

“Ha ha, oh, stop,” Ohya said, blushing. “I guess the same goes for you. Every time we talk, I always feel a little better. But knowing I still have a ways to go is hard.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “But having people to rely on is a nice way to deal with the distance.”

Ohya nodded. “True. And you make good company.”

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 4

“But, as fun as you are, you should get out of here now,” Ohya said.

“Why’s that?” Ren said.

“Because my boss showed up, and I hate dealing with my boss, and I’m about to get plastered,” Ohya explained.

“I see…” Ren said. She turned to Lala. “Are you good?”

“Believe me, I’ve handled her drinking long before she was legally allowed to drink,” Lala explained.

Ren nodded. “Well then, take care.” She got up.

“Bye!” Ohya said.

“Come again,” Lala said. Ren walked out the door and headed home.

Notes:

We're at the home stretch of the Futaba arc. This is definitly the longest arc so far, and I feel like the next one might be longer. However, I'm not sure after that. The plot ramps up after this absolutly, but the number of confidants will drop after a point, due to them getting finished. Of course, not all of them are on the table yet, but it's getting there for some of the ones that are. In fact, if I didn't introduce the Minamoto arc, I think some of them could have been wrapped up already.

But whatever the case, we're here, and I can't wait. I'm excited to show you what's next, and I hope you'll love it just as much as you have been up to this point. Enjoy.

Chapter 119: Lifting Curses

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sunday morning arrived. Ren was gently shook awake. She sat up, still half asleep. She put on her glasses and looked at who had shaken her. “Sojiro?”

“I know it’s early,” he said, “but I want to bring you in on something. Just come down when you’re ready.” Sojiro headed downstairs.

Ren was a little confused. Morgana yawned and woke up too. “What do you suppose he wants?”

“I dunno,” Morgana said, trying to get accustomed to being awake. “But it seems important. You should head down.”

“I guess you’re right,” Ren said.

Morgana yawned again. “I’m going back to sleep.” He closed his eyes and soon started snoring. Ren gently got up and got dressed.

Once she was downstairs, she saw Sojiro preparing three cups of coffee. “Glad you’re here. Have a seat.” Ren sat down next to one of the cups closer to the customer edge of the counter. Sojiro started pouring into the cup next to her. Then his, then hers.

He sighed deeply. “I can’t believe it’s been two years already.” He looked at Ren. “Since Wakaba passed, I mean.”

Ren nodded. “I getcha.”

Sojiro nodded back. “I mean, I don’t have to tell you that life isn’t fair sometimes.”

“Well,” Ren interrupted,” I don’t think I’ve dealt with something like this.”

Sojiro sighed. “That might be true, but pain is pain. Even if the wound’s not as deep, it might not hurt any less.”

“Right…” Ren agreed.

Sojiro smiled. “You know, I told you that my charms didn’t work on Wakaba right away, right?” Ren nodded. “You know what did it? I made her some curry.” Ren was surprised. “She was surprised at how good it was. She asked for the recipe. I gave it to her. Before I knew it, she came back with the best damn curry recipe I’ve ever had.

She told me that coffee actually goes well with curry. I found it a little odd at first, but then again, so was Wakaba. When I tried it, I was amazed. Heh. That’s the very recipe that I sell here. I’ve been keeping the recipe alive since I’ve opened this place.”

Sojiro sighed, growing a little sadder. “For the past two years, I’ve done whatever I could to protect and help Futaba. However, while I’ve been trying to get her to heal, I haven’t really been healing myself. This whole thing still haunts me. I keep thinking that there was something more I could do, then maybe Wakaba would be here with us today. Trying to live with that pain is no easy task.”

He raised his eyebrow. “Do you know when I actually started to heal?” Ren shook her head. “When you came here.’ Ren was surprised. “I realized that in order to heal, you have to let others in to help. Wakaba was always good at forcing herself in, but ever since the incident, I’ve kept most of the people I know at arm’s length.

But I guess one of the reasons I took you in was that a small part of me knew I had to let someone in, even if I also tried to keep you at arm’s length too. Seeing you going to school, making friends, defying what it said on that sheet, it opened up the idea in my heart that I could do that too. And then, of course there’s this whole Phantom Thieves business you’ve gotten yourself into. You really did your best to save Futaba.”

“Well, we were only able to help because of what you told us,” Ren said.

“Heh, that just goes to show how much we’ve been helping each other,” Sojiro responded. “When you first got here, there’s no way I was gonna tell you about Futaba. I still had to protect her. I mean… Well, you know…” Ren nodded. “But as I came to trust you, and you came to trust me, I felt like maybe you could help me with her. Of course, I never imagined it would be like this.” Ren giggled.

Sojiro got a bit serious. “I know that the deadline for this whole Medjed thing is today. And while Futaba has been recovering, it’s still unclear if this’ll actually work. But come what may, I invited you here for a simple reason: I wanted you to join me in celebrating Wakaba’s life… as a part of this family.”

Ren smiled. “Sojiro…”

“If it works, I’ll be over the moon,” Sojiro continued. “However, if it doesn’t, and you need to do something drastic, I just want to let you know a few things. You have my thanks, you did nothing wrong, and I will be with you no matter what.” He raised his cup.

Ren raised hers. “To Wakaba.” They clinked their cup and drank.

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 6

The door opened to Leblanc. Sojiro and Ren turned to see who it was. Much to their surprise and delight, it was Futaba. “Mornin’,” She said.

“Futaba?!” Sojiro said, surprised. “How are you feeling?”

Futaba sat down next to Ren. “I’m feeling fine. A lot better than I have been recently.”

Sojiro could barely contain his happiness. “I see… Well, that's great to hear.”

Futaba took Wakaba’s cup and drank from it. “Ah! That hits the spot. But, it’s a little cold. I don’t think people would like it if you served them cold coffee.”

Sojiro chuckled. “Right.” He figured Wakaba wouldn’t mind. After all, Futaba was her world.

Futaba finished drinking her coffee. “Still, it’s exceptionally well made. Maybe some people would be taken in by the taste they’d forget about the coldness.”

“Sure,” Sojiro said.

“Oh, speaking of, I feel like I’m forgetting something…” Futaba mused.

“Medjed?” Ren reminded her.

“Oh right!” Futaba said, alerted. “Well, thanks for the coffee Sojiro, seeya!” She sprinted back out the door.

“Well, look at her go,” Sojiro said with immense pride.

Ren smiled along with him. “Yeah. I’ll go keep her company.”

“She usually doesn’t need it,” Sojiro said. “But if she’s anything like her mother, she’ll appreciate it nonetheless.” Ren nodded and headed out. On her way to Sojiro’s, she took out her phone, and messaged the group chat.

Ren: Futaba’s up and running.

Ren: She’s going to stop Medjed.

As Ren walked into Futaba’s room, Futaba greeted her with a simple “Hey.”

“Hey,” Ren shot back. “How are you doing?”

“Well, I’m just getting started,” Futaba said. “I might take a while, but I should get it done.”

Ren sat down on Futaba’s bed. “By all means.” Futaba nodded and went back to work on her computer. While Futaba was working, Ren got more messages.

Makoto: She’s fighting Medjed?!

Ren: Yeah.

Jose: That’s great news!

Ann: And not a moment too soon.

Ann: I’m seeing people freak out online.

Ryuji: My mom’s even a little worried.

Lena: So is mine.

Yusuke: Still, it looks like we managed to win in the end.

Sumire: Um, I don’t mean to be pessimistic

Sumire: But Futaba-chan is still working on it.

Sumire: As much as I want to believe in her, things could still go either way.

Yusuke: You are forgetting she managed to hack the Medjed site and cause a stir that way.

Yusuke: The fact that the new Medjed has yet to respond shows that they are taking that threat seriously.

Sumire: !!

Sumire: You’re right. Sorry…

Yusuke: I understand.

Ren: Yeah, this whole thing has been nerve-racking for all of us.

Makoto: Still this is good.

Makoto: Keep us informed.

Makoto: We’ll see how things are going on their end.

A little later, Morgana woke up for real this time. He yawned. He looked around. “Where’s Ren?” he wondered. He carefully peered downstairs to see if there were any customers. When he saw there weren’t any, he walked in.

This surprised Sojiro. “Oh! I didn’t know you’re still here. If you’re wondering where Ren is, she’s over at my place. Futaba’s finally up, and is working on dealing with Medjed.”

“Huh,” Morgana mused. “Thank you. I’ll be on my way.”

“Seeya,” Sojiro said. Morgana nodded, and went back upstairs and out the window. “Heh,” Sojiro chuckled. “Did he forget I can’t understand him? Well, I guess in a way, I did.”

Morgana arrived at Sojiro’s house a little later, and made his way into Futaba’s room. “Oh hi,” Ren said.

Morgana jumped up on the bed and sat next to Ren. “How’s it going?”

It’s coming along,” Ren said. “She’s been at it for a while now.”

“Huh,” Morgana said. “Any way to tell how long it’ll be?”

“No idea,” Ren said. “And I don’t think we can just ask her when she’s in the zone like that.”

Morgana looked at Futaba tapping away at her keyboard. “Maybe you’re right.” Morgana pouted. “Is this all we can do? Wait until she’s finished?”

“Well, we’re here, right?” Ren said. “And sometimes that’s enough.”

Morgana smiled. “Right. Plus, after the summer we had, a day of sitting around and doing nothing doesn’t sound so bad.” Ren giggled.

A little while later, Ren checked her phone for the time. “Hey Futaba. Are you hungry?”

“Eh, maybe a little,” Futaba said. “But when I get really hungry, I’ll just make some instant yakisoba.”

“IIII think I’ll make something that’s…maybe a little more filling,” Ren said.

“Eh, suit yourself,” Futaba said. “Just make sure it’s not too messy. I don’t want to spill anything on the computer.”

“I wouldn’t want that either,” Ren said. “I’ll go and see what you guys have.” Ren got up and headed to the kitchen. After perusing what they had here, she gave Sojiro a quick call.

“Hello?” Sojiro said, confused.

“Hey, just a quick question,” Ren said. “None of your food you’re saving for a special occasion, right?”

“Why are you in my kitchen?” Sojiro asked.

“Futaba might be getting hungry soon, and I want to make sure she’s eating well,” Ren said.

Sojiro sighed. “Well, that’s very kind of you. Short answer is no, everything’s fine to take and eat now.”

“Alright. Thanks Sojiro,” Ren said.

“Take care,” Sojiro said. Ren picked out a few ingredients, and started cooking.

A little while later, Ren came back into Futaba’s room. “Perfect. I was just getting hungry.”

Ren nodded. “Here you go.”

Futaba looked down at her dish. It was a simple beef with mixed vegetables bowl, but it looked great. She took a bite. “AMAZING!”

Ren chuckled. “Thank you. You want anything to drink?”

“Nah, I’m good,” Futaba said. She opened up a nearby minifridge and pulled out a soda.

Ren smled. “Baby steps.” She paused for a moment. “Hey, could I have one of those too?”

“Sure thing,” Futaba said. “Help yourself.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. She grabbed a soda out of the minifridge. She set it down on the bed and then went back to the kitchen. She came back a minute or two later with two more bowls; one beef and mixed veggies for her, and one that’s just beef for Morgana. “Here you go,” she said, setting it on the floor

“Thanks,” Morgana said. He began chowing down. “MEOW! This is really good!”

“Hm hm, thanks,” Ren said. She began eating her food as well. Futaba switched seamlessly between taking bites and crunching bytes. Ren and Morgana continued eating and watching Futaba go to town. Once everyone was finished eating, Ren took everyone’s dishes and put them in the sink. Ren would have done them herself, but she saw they had a dishwasher, and she didn’t know if it was clean or dirty. She returned to Futaba’s room, and continued watching.

A little while thater, Futaba was keying away furiously. “Annnnnd DONE!” She spun around in her chair before slumping into it.

Ren and Morgana stood up. “You did it?” Morgana asked.

“Yup,” Futba said. “I nullified Medjed’s threat, reversed my own threat, and even released the name of one of their lesser members.”

“Why not the new head honcho?” Morgana asked.

“Medjed’s an online organization,” Futaba explained. “If I knew who the new head honcho was, I would.”

Morgana nodded. “I see.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Futaba said. She yawned. “It’s sleep time!” She walked over and got under the covers and fell back asleep.

Morgana was a bit concerned. “She was resting all summer…”

“Well, she had a big day today,” Ren said. “Let’s let her rest. Besides, I have a feeling that when we meet with her tomorrow, it might not be the easiest thing either.”

Morgana nodded. “Very well. Let’s head out then.” The duo  left Sojiro’s house.

Ren got out her phone.

Ren: Futaba said she did it.

Makoto: I’ve noticed.

Ren: Huh?

Makoto: Check the Medjed Website.

Ren went to the Medjed site, and saw that the only thing available was an image of The Phantom Thieves logo, and a message. “Greeting Japan. As you know, all summer a war was raging. As of this moment, we, The Phantom Thieves, have declared victory. Medjed’s threat has been stopped, and the Original Medjed has been dealt with. As such, we have proven ourselves as just. If you have any doubts, remember, Medjed went after everyone. We only target bad people. With that, we must bid you adieu. Until next time. -The Phantom Thieves.”

Ren: Wow.

Ryuji: I know, right? Isn’t it badass?

Yusuke: I must agree. The logo made a real impact here.

Ryuji: Uh, it’s your logo.

Yusuke: I’m aware.

Yusuke: But I’ve been seeing it popping up on all sorts of things recently, and they don’t do it justice.

Ann: That’s true. There is a bunch of Phantom Thieves merchandise showing up.

Sumire: And I think with this, the number will only go higher.

Makoto: Regardless, this is great.

Makoto: We’ve taken down Medjed, we have more information on the mental shutdowns, and we’re one step closer to stopping Eris.

Jose: Plus, we have a new team member.

Lena: I joined a little earlier though.

Jose: Oh, I meant Futaba.

Jose: She awoke to her persona in her palace.

Lena: Oh. I see.

Ren: Yeah, I want to talk about that.

Ren: Sojiro said that she’s basically been held up in her room for the past two years or so.

Ren: I feel like getting her integrated won’t be so easy.

Ryuji: Well, as the expert of being shut in, what’s your opinion Lena?

Lena: Um, I think our situations are a little different.

Ryuji: Oh. Sorry.

Lena: It’s fine.

Ann: Well, Futaba wrote that thing and signed it “The Phantom Thieves”.

Ann: I imagine she’d want to join us.

Sumire: Plus her…mother?...asked her to.

Lena: Her mom?

Yusuke: It’s complicated.

Makoto: Basically, the essence of her mom was in her palace, and it asked her to bring her justice for what happened.

Lena: I see.

Lena: I’m sorry. This is a whole lot to take in.

Ryuji: You’re telling me.

Ann: Yeah, I still have trouble understanding things about this whole situation.

Jose: All of this to say, it seems Futaba will try and make an effort.

Jose: But how long it takes for her is up in the air.

Makoto: Very succinct.

Ren: Well, we should start trying tomorrow.

Ren: Let’s have her meet everyone and we’ll go from there.

Makoto: Sounds like a plan.

Ren put her phone away, and went back to Leblanc for the night.

The next morning, Ren headed downstairs. Sojiro was getting ready for the day. “Hey Boss,” Ren said.

Sojiro nodded. “Hey.”

“Um, hey Sojiro,” Ren said.

“Hm?”

“We’re going to try and talk to Futaba today,” Ren explained. “We’re just going to go to my room for the day, if that’s alright with you.”

Sojiro nodded. “That’s fine.

Ren bowed. “Thanks. “I’m gonna go get her now.”

“Door’s open. Good luck,” Spjiro said. Ren headed to Sojiro’s house.

She entered, went up to Futaba’s room, and knocked. “Futaba? You ready?”

“Eep!” Futaba shrieked. “J-Just give me a sec.”

“Take your time,” Ren said. While Futaba was getting ready, Ren messaged the rest of the group about meeting in her room. Once Futaba came out, Ren asked “You ready?”

“Yeah…” Futaba said, nervously.

“I’ll be with you the whole way,” Ren said.

“Right,” Futaba said, more determined. The two of them headed back to Ren’s room in Leblanc.

One by one, everyone else showed up. With each arrival, Futaba tensed up a little. Once everyone was here, Morgana motioned “Well, this is all of us.”

“Uhhhhhh…” Futaba said. “Her?” She pointed to Lena.

“Oh, uh, hi,” Lena said, nervously. “My name is Lena Minamoto. I joined The Phantom Thieves while you were recovering.”

“Oh,” Futaba said.

“Um, I hope we can be friends,” Lena offered.

“Right,” Futaba said, a little paralyzed. There was a bit of an awkward silence.

“Well, I think we should just get into things,” Makoto said.

“That might be the easiest course of action,” Jose agreed. They set up the table, and everyone sat around it, except for Futaba, who opted to sit on Ren’s bed. Ren positioned herself to be the closest person to Futaba.

“So, where do we begin?” Ann asked.

“Well, uhhhh, Medjed’s threat was squashed,” Ryuji pointed out. “That’s big.”

“True,” Yusuke said. “Between Kosei and here, I must have heard something about that at least ten times.”

“It was nothing,” Futaba remarked.

“Well, it meant a lot to us,” Makoto said. “So thank you.” Futaba didn’t respond.

“Erm, so, now that Medjed’s been dealt with,” Sumire said, trying to change the subject, “let’s make sure we’re all on the same page.”

“Good idea,” Makoto said. “So, apparently Futaba-chan’s mother was working on this cognitive psience idea, and her research was stolen. And in turn, whoever stole it is using it to commit the mental shutdowns.”

“However, as long as we’re active as The Phantom Thieves,” Ren interjected, “sooner or later, our paths will intersect.”

“Also, there is the matter of Eris,” Lena reiterated.

“We certainly have our plates full,” Yusuke remarked.

“Yeah, it’s not going to be easy,” Morgana added. “However, I know we can do it.

Ren smiled. “Thanks Morgana.”

Sumire turned to Futaba. “Um, would you like to be a Phantom Thief too?”

Ann nodded. “We could really use your help.”

Futaba nodded. “Sure.”

“Woah, that easy?” Ryuji wondered. “Welcome aboard!” Futaba didn’t answer. “Uhhh.”

“Perhaps this might be the biggest thing on our plate currently,” Yusuke said.

“Right,” Makoto said.

“Futaba seems a bit anti-social,” Jose said.

“Well, I’m trying,” Futaba retorted.

“Sorry,” Jose apologized.

“I think she just needs time to get used to all of us,” Ren said.

“I agree,” Makoto said.

“Well, we have the rest of summer vacation for that,” Yusuke said.

“Most of it, anyways…” Sumire said. “My next gymnastics meet is the day before summer ends.”

“When is that exactly?” Ryuji asked. “I’m sure we’ll have plenty of time.”

“Um, a week from tomorrow,” Sumire answered.

“Huh?!” Ryuji shrieked. “For real?!”

“We did do a lot this summer,” Jose said. “Between Medjed, and Lena’s mom.”

“Right…” Ryuji said. “Hey, why don’t we go to the beach?! I’m sure that’ll help Futaba open up a little.”

“Oh right!” Ann said. “I haven’t been all summer! I absolutely want to do that.”

“Uh, why don’t we work up to that?” Ren asked. “You know, give Futaba some breathing room.”

“I’d like that,” Futaba said.

“Eh, works for me,” Ryuji said. “So long as we go.”

“I think we should just spend some time with Futaba,” Makoto said. “That might help.”

“I agree,” Morgana said. “If we do this over the course of a few days, we should be ready for the beach in no time.”

“I think if we divide ourselves into smaller groups, it would be better,” Lena said. “Less overwhelming.”

“Good idea,” Morgana said. He looked at Ren. “Although I think you and I are going to need to be with her every time.”

“She does seem to have taken a liking to you,” Ann said.

“Almost like you’re her big sister,” Lena added.

“R-Right…” Futaba interjected.

Ren looked over at her. “What do you say? You wanna give this a shot?”

Futaba looked at her and nodded. “Yeah.”

Ren smiled. “Great.”

“So, how are we doing this?” Jose asked.

“Well, I think tomorrow, I can stop by Futaba’s and chat with her,” Makoto said.

“I’m free as well,” Yusuke said.

“Same,” Jose added.

“Well, with Ren and Morgana, I think that’s our group for tomorrow,” Makoto pointed out.

“That’s fine, since I have a shoot tomorrow anyway,” Ann said. “But I’m available the day after.”

“I’m cool with doin’ somethin’ then,” Ryuji said.

“I think I can stop by then too,” Lena said. “Akechi’s going to be busy now that Medjed has been stopped.”

“Wait, you know that detective prince?” Futaba asked.

“Uh, yeah,” Lena admitted. “He and I are, um, dating.”

“Huh,” Futaba said. “Poggers.”

“Um,” Sumire interrupted. “It’s just, with my upcoming meet, I don’t know how much time I’ll have off. I don't know if Futaba will open up to me as much.”

Ren smiled and pulled her girlfriend in for a side hug. “It’ll be fine. Futaba’s going to be trying, and you’re really easy to get along with.”

Sumire blushed, and placed her hand on Ren’s. “Thanks Ren.”

“Get a room,” Futaba remarked

“We have a room, and you’re in it,” Ren shot back.

Sumire’s face turned bright red. “Senpai!”

“Sorry,” Ren said. “I guess that was a little too forward.”

“It’s…fine…” Sumire said.

“I think after that, we should make plans accordingly,” Makoto said. “But I think things should go well.”

“I can’t wait for tomorrow,” Jose remarked.

“I still have some questions about the bigger picture,” Yusuke said.

“Me too,” Makoto said. “But I think we should hold off until all of us are ready.”

“Besides, we can’t act until we’ve found another palace,” Morgana reminded them. “And they can’t act so long as they don’t know it’s us.”

“And like Lena said, the authorities will have their hands full with the fallout from this Medjed thing,” Ann said. “I think we’ll be fine if we just do things normal teens would do on their last days of summer.”

Futaba’s stomach grumbled. “Sorry.”

Ren chuckled. “It’s fine. We’ve been here for a while.”

“Why don’t we have lunch?” Jose offered.

“Great idea Jose,” Sumire said. “But I think I’ll have to leave after that to go to practice.”

“I think calling it here for the day would be good anyway,” Lena said.

“Yeah, like you said, we shouldn’t overwhelm Futaba,” Ryuji said.

“Do you want to eat with us?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Futaba answered.

Ren nodded. “Well then, ;let's get something from the cafe.” They headed downstairs.

Sojiro was a little surprised. “Oh. Hey.”

“Hey,” Ren said. “We’re just here for lunch,” Ren said.

“And it needs to be quick,” Futaba demanded.

“Hm. Very well then,” Sojiro said. He made some food for everyone, and served it. Everyone ate quietly and quickly, partially because there was a time limit, and partially because they didn’t want to stress Futaba out.

Once everyone else had left, it was just Ren, Morgana, Futaba, and Sojiro. “So, how are you feeling?” Ren asked.

“...Eh. Pretty good,” Futaba answered.

“What do you think of everyone so far?” Morgana asked.

“Well, I can’t hate them,” Futaba said. “They saved me after all. I mean, I guess Lena didn’t, but…”

Ren smiled. “You still like her?”

“Yeah,” Futaba said.

“Hey,” Sojiro interjected. “Are you thinking about joining up with them? You know? As another Phantom Thief?”

Futaba looked up at him. “Yeah. I mean, I want to. Is that a problem?”

Sojiro was concerned and frustrated. “Well…” He sighed. “It’s just… Your mother died because of all of this.”

“Don’t you think I know that?” Futaba said, frustrated. “That’s why I want to. They might be the only people who can bring the people who killed mom to justice…”

Sojiro sighed. “You’re right. I apologize.”

“It’s OK…” Futaba said, softly. “You’re just worried. I mean, I am too. But I have to. For mom.”

Sojiro smiled. “For Wakaba.”

Ren smiled. “Don’t worry. I’m sure we’ll bring them to justice. But like you getting accustomed to everyone else, we need to do this one step at a time.”

Futaba nodded. “Right. Thanks.”

Ren smiled. “Don’t mention it. Are you ready?”

“You bet!” Futaba said. “Game: START!”

Ren snickered. “It’ll start tomorrow.”

“Right,” Futaba said, a little deflated. “In the meantime, this one anime I’ve been watching is on today, so I’m going to go watch it.”

“Take care,” Ren said. Futaba got up and left for home.

“Hey,” Sojiro said. “If something happens, I’ll never forgive you.”

“I’ll never forgive myself either,” Ren retorted. “After all, we’re family, right?”

Sojiro chuckled. “You’re gettin’ it.”

Notes:

After rewatching some of the Futaba training cutscenes, I realize how much I actually got out ahead of the actual story. But that's sort of the point. Still, it's a bit of a contrast, and that always strikes me. But anyway, yeah, we are doing the Futaba training, and also it will include some night confidants as well. I think I'm getting the hang of how I want to organize the story in the near-future, but we still have time. I want to at least get to the first day of school before the new year, and I think that'll happen, but who knows. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 120: Crawling Out

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren and Morgana met up with Makoto, Yusuke, and Jose outside of Leblanc Tuesday morning. “Good morning,” Makoto greeted.

“Good morning,’ Ren replied.

“So, do you wish for Futaba to join us in Leblanc?” Yusuke asked.

“I figured it might be easier to get Futaba to open up if we go to her room,” Makoto explained.

“I getcha,” Morgana said.

“So, off to Sojiro’s then?” Jose asked.

Makoto nodded. “And the sooner, the better.”

“Well then, let’s go,” Ren instructed. The five of them headed over. Once they got there, they knocked on Futaba’s door. “Futaba, it’s us.”

“Hold on,” Futaba said. Some footsteps were heard. “Come in.” They came in to see Futaba wearing a comically large mask. “Welcome.”

Everyone was confused. “Um, maybe we should try getting rid of the mask,” Ren suggested.

“Ueh…” Futaba moaned. “...Only for you.” She took off her mask and set it down.

Ren smiled. “You look great.” Futaba turned away in a huff. Ren laughed nervously.

“So, what’s the big plan for today?” Jose asked.

“Well, I’m thinking that we should just talk about casual topics for now,” Makoto said. “Ease her into the conversation.”

“Seems reasonable,” Morgana said.

“Ahem,” Makoto said. Futaba looked up at her with a blank expression. “Um, did you see the news recently? Another cabinet minister resigned. That’s like the fifth one this year, right?”

“I dunno,” Futaba said. “I don’t really read the news.”

“Oh, I see,” Makoto said, taken aback.

“Hm?” Yusuke pondered. He began looking into a specific part of the room.

Jose nodded. “You’ve got this Makoto!”

“Thanks,” Makoto said. She regained her energy. “So, isn’t this heatwave crazy?”

“I, uh, don’t really go outside…” Futaba lamented.

“Oh…” Makoto said, again surprised.

“What else do you have?” Jose asked.

“Uhhhhhhhhh,” Makoto responded, unsure of herself.

Ren noticed what Yusuke was up to. “Yusuke? What are you up to?”

Everyone else looked at Yusuke. He presented what he was doing, which was rearranging Futaba’s Featherman action figures. “I found these figures amusing. You can rearrange the heads and bodies as you please.”

Everyone was a little confused, except for Futaba, who was horrified. “My…MY BABIES!”

“Babies?” Yusuke repeated in shock.

“How could you do that Inari?!” Futaba yelled.

“Inari?” Yusuke said again.

“Like the god! With the fox! And your outfit!” Futaba said.

“Oh,” Yusuke said. “I guess I can see that.”

“I like it,” Jose said.

“I’d still prefer to be called ‘Fox’ on missions,” Yusuke said. “But ‘Inari’ isn’t so bad.”

Ren turned to Makoto and whispered “Maybe having Yusuke over might have worked in our favor.” Makoto pouted slightly and gave Ren a stink eye.

Futaba quickly put her figures back together as they were before. She turned to Yusuke and fiercely said “THESE are my Featherman figures! They’re so versatile so-as you can make them do practically any pose from the show.”

“I see,” Yusuke said. “It’s almost like you can recreate any scene you’d like.”

“I know, right?” Futaba said, turning on a dime. “It’s so cool!”

Morgana chuckled. “You know, despite your teasing, I think you may be right.”

Makoto recomposed herself. “I agree. It seems like she’s willing to chew your ear off so long as she’s interested in the subject.”

“Forgive me,” Yusuke said. “I thought I’d recognize them, but I had a little bit of trouble.”

“What do ya mean?” Futaba asked.

“Well, for most of my life, I lived with Madarame,” Yusuke explained. “So I didn’t get much of a chance to watch Featherman.”

“I see,” Futaba said.

“However, I am familiar with a spin-off manga called ‘Featherman Q’.”

“You…you’ve read Featherman Q?!” Futaba asked in disbelief.

Yusuke nodded. “It was among Madarame’s collection.”

“I’ve never met anyone else who’s read Featherman Q before!” Futaba said.

“It was very excellent,” Yusuke remarked. “I wish I could have kept them.”

“Wha?! Why didn’t you?!” Futaba asked, almost incensed.

“Well…they did belong to Madarame…” Yusuke answered. “Plus, I had a lot of other things on my mind. I mean, as someone who was brought into this whole Phantom Thieves thing as well, I assume you’d understand.”

Futaba hung her head. “I guess.”

“Um,” Jose interjected. “Do you think I’d like this Featherman thing?”

Futaba turned to Jose. “Of course! I mean, everyone loves Featherman. The only people who don’t are monsters.”

Jose smiled. “Alright. So, um, where should I start.”

“Well…” Futaba said. “I mean, I started from the beginning… But that might not be helpful. Maybe just the beginning of this season.”

Jose nodded. “Alright. I’ll check it out.”

“Maybe you can help me as well,” Ren said. Futaba turned to her. “Between getting arrested, moving to Tokyo, and being tasked to save the world, I’ve fallen behind on some of the anime I was planning to watch. Would you mind helping me curate that list?”

Futaba nodded. “Sure thing.” She turned to Makoto. “Well, how about you? You want some recommendations?”

Makoto was surprised, but sighed. “I guess I have been trying to relax more. Do you have anything in mind, Futaba-cahn?”

Futaba observed Makoto. “Hmmmmm. I’m not getting a good read. For some reason, my instincts are telling me horror…”

“NO!” Makoto shrieked. “N-Not horror…”

“Eh heh heh,” Futaba giggled. “That’s why. Hmmm. What was the last thing you watched?”

Makoto was a little puzzled. “Watched or re-watched?”

Futaba was now puzzled. “You’ve re-watched something?”

“Well,” Makoto began, “...I always watch the Buchimaru-kun marathon on its anniversary.”

Futaba was surprised. “Huh. Didn’t expect that. But that gives me all sorts of ideas.”

“Hopefully nothing that’s supossed to be like Buchimaru-kun,” Makoto said. “Nothing can replace that…”

“I getcha,” Futaba said. “Believe me, we all have that one show or manga or whatever. But it wouldn’t hurt to broaden your horizons.”

Makoto relaxed a little. “I guess that’s true. I mean, after all, we came here to do that for you. I suppose it would be rude if we didn’t return the favor.”

“What other shows would you recommend for me?” Jose asked. “I mean, I’ve only been here for a few months now.”

“Hmm, good question,” Futaba said. She turned to Morgana. “Do you want some recs too, kitty?”

Morgana pouted at the word ‘kitty’. Still, he held firm. “I’ll just be watching whatever Ren watches. I’m sure you’ll pick some good stuff for us”

“K,” Futaba said. They spent the rest of the afternoon discussing these sorts of things, and Futaba gave out a lot of recommendations. Ren could tell that she was really happy about it.

Later, Ren got a message from Mishima.

Mishima: Sorry I’m late, but WOW!

Mishima: You guys did it!

Ren: Thanks.

Mishima: Of course, I never lost faith in you.

Mishima: Do you want to meet me down at the diner? I wanna go over a few things with you.

Ren: Sounds good.

Ren put her phone away and headed to the diner.

Once she arrived, Mishima spotted her and waved her over. “Hey!” Ren smiled, walked over, and sat down. “I just gotta say it again. Way to go on beating Medjed.”

“Thanks,” Ren responded. “It wasn’t the easiest thing, but we managed.”

“So, how’d ya do it?” Mishima asked.

Ren was a bit thrown off by this question. Futaba was dealing with enough as is. Adding Mishima into the mix would probably not help. “Uhhhhh, seret.”

“Oh. Well, that's cool,” Mishima said, hiding a little bit of pain. “Well, now that that’s all settled, I think I have your next target lined up.”

“Oh?” Ren said, surprised.

Mishima nodded. “Check this out. This famous actor is blackmailing this really popular idol into being in a relationship with him.”

Ren raised her eyebrow. “Ummmmm, is he?”

“Totally,” Mishima said. “Her fanbase is fuming about this.”

“Riiiight,” Ren said. “So, while I would like to believe ‘her fanbase’, I think we might have to look into this further ourselves, you know.”

Mishima was a little caught off guard. He nodded and said “I getcha. But, out of curiosity, are you interested in what the public has to say?”

“Well, we do take requests on your site…” Ren answered.

“Right,” Mishima chuckled. “What I mean is, I also have a new idea for the site.”

Ren grew interested. “Go on.”

“Well, I was thinking: I should make a poll!” Mishima said, excitedly. “You know, to let people vote on your next big target.”

“Well,  it’s not that that wouldn’t be helpful to some extent,” Ren explained, “but a lot of the people we’ve targeted are people who hide in the shadows.”

“Right, right,” Mishima said. “But, I mean, it’s not like it would hurt.”

“I guess not,” Ren said. “We could take that into consideration.”

“Yes,” Mishima cheered.

“Well well well,” a voice said.

Mishima and Ren looked over to see a group of three boys their age. “Oh. Hey Akiyama-kun,” Mishima said, almost trying to hide himself.

“I haven’t seen you in forever,” Akiyama said. “Did you drop out of school?”

“No. We just go to different high schools,” Mishima answered.

“Oh that’s right,” Akiyama said. “I thought we went to the same school since you stand out the same whether you’re present or not.”

“Good one,” one of Akiyama's friends said.

Akiyama noticed Ren. “Oh? What do we have here? Did nothing-Mishima somehow get a girlfriend?”

“How much you think he’s paying her?” one of his friends asked.

“You really think Mishima has that kind of money?” the other one asked back.

“She’s not my girlfriend!” Mishima said firmly.

“Heh, figures,” Akiyama said. “No way someone as boring as you could get someone as cute as her.”

“Stop it!” Mishima demanded.

“I’m just paying the lady a compliment,” Akiyama said.

“She’s going out with someone else,” Mishima explained. “And you don’t want to get on their bad side. Also, if I recall correctly, you’re going out with someone too, right Akiyama-kun?”

Akiyama gave Mishima a stern look. He grabbed Mishima by the collar. “You’re lucky you have your little friend here.” He shoved Mishima back into his seat. “Let’s go.”

“Ooo, Mishima has fangs now,” one of Akiyama’s friends said.

“Yeah. Did you get upset because he threatened to tell your girlfriend you were flirting with someone else?” the other one asked.

“SHUT IT!” Akiyama snapped. “Or do you want to be the next Mishima?”

“No sir,” the other guy said. Akiyama nodded. He turned around, and walked out. The other two followed.

Mishima sighed. “Sorry.”

Ren smiled. “It’s fine.”

Mishima sighed again. “I like to think that I have changed. But… Akiyama and I went to the same middle school. And meeting up again just now, it feels like I reverted back to my old self.”

“Well, that may not entirely be true,” Ren said. “I mean, you defended my honor quite well.”

Mishima smiled. “I guess…” He frowned again. “I didn’t really stand up for myself though.”

“Well, we all have our moments of self-doubt,” Ren said.

“Not you, I bet,” Mishima said.

“Are you kidding?” Ren replied. “I don’t think anyone has doubted me as much as I have.”

“Really?” Mishima said.

Ren nodded. “Really really.”

Mishima smiled. “Well… I guess if even you struggle with it… I might not be in bad company. Although I’ve got some catching up to do”

Ren chuckled. “Well, I have to say, you're not all that far behind.”

Mishima giggled. He settled down. “Thanks. You know, despite what you saw there, Akiyama isn’t all bad.”

“Oh?”

“I mentioned his girlfriend, right?” Mishima continued. “Word is, they’ve been really close since they were little. He’s really sweet with her.”

“Well, that’s nice, I guess,” Ren said. “He could stand to be nicer to you.”

“I know, I know,” Mishima said. “But for now, I’ll take your kindness.”

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 6

“Well, I should be heading out soon,” Mishima said. He started getting up. “Oh yeah.” He got out his phone and sent a message. “I just sent you the information on that actor. Also, keep thinking about that poll idea.”

“Right,” Ren replied. “Like I said, it couldn’t hurt. Bye.”

“Bye!” Mihima said. He left the diner. Ren grabbed a little more food and then left as well.

On her way back, she shot a quick message to Futaba.

Ren: Hey Futaba?

Ren: This is probably nothing, but someone told me that this actor was blackmailing an idol into being in a relationship with him.

Ren: Do you think you can check quick to see if that’s true? Futaba: Sure!

Ren: Thanks.

Ren headed back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

I would have posted this earlier, but the internet in my area just kind of shut down for no reason. Anyway, I think I'm finding a good balance. Although in saying that, I did come to the conclusion that a 6.5 might be needed for Mishima, since his confidant is set up in a unique way. Also, as the story progresses, I might need to introduce more .5 chapters than a 9.5 for some of the...I don't necessarily want to say plot, since it's more fluff or flavor, but it does sort of tie into some plot ideas I'm going to get into. Essentially, more of that.

Also, sometimes, I worry about adding in some things, but I haven't really gotten a complaint thus far, and fan fics by their nature are a little self-indulgent, so maybe I need to stop worrying so much. Still, I think I can make this work.

Maybe I should explain why I'm doing some nighttime confidants on top of the Futaba training week. Partially because the game allowed it too, and also it's to get myself in a good position with the confidants. I mean, I know I'll get through all of them, it's just a matter of when. Plus, with the matter of new and increasing plot content, finding a balance might not be as easy as it has been previousy. So lightening the load helps with that too.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 121: Eat, Pray, Love

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Ren was eating breakfast the next day, Futaba entered Leblanc. Ren and Sojiro were a little surprised. “What are you doing here?” Ren asked.

“What are you doing up?” Sojiro asked.

“Well….” Fuaba said, a little nervous. “I mean… If I’m going to try and turn my life around with the Phantom Thieves, I figured I should start having a regular sleep schedule.”

Sojiro smiled. “Atta girl.”

“As for what brings me here,” Futaba said, “I just wanted to update on what you asked me about last night.”

“Oh?” Ren said, interested. Futaba sat next to her. “You could have just messaged me.”

“Yeah, but we’re also supposed to be doing something today, right?” Futaba retorted. “I might as well get a head start on that.”

Ren smiled. “So, what do you have?”

“Eh, basically what you said,” Futaba. “There’s no real substance to any claims of blackmail. It’s just the diehards getting really upset.”

“That’s what I figured…” Ren replied.

“Hang on,” Sojiro said. “What’s all this talk about blackmail?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Futaba said.

“Wha?” Sojiro reacted.

“Buuuuut there is something interesting,” Futaba went on to say.

“Really?” Ren wondered.

Futaba nodded. “Yup. While it seems by all appearances that this is another celebrity whirlwind romance, I looked into it, and it turned out they actually knew each other once upon a time.”

Ren was shocked. “Really?!”

“Yeah,” Futaba replied. “They went to the same elementary school. However, they went to completely different high schools. Like, different cities and everything.”

“Hmmmm,” Ren pondered. Mishima might be a bit dense in some areas, but he seems to be tech savvy, and knowledgeable about things he’s interested in. I might have to ask about that next time I see him. Ren nodded. “Thank you Futaba.”

“You’re welcome,” Futaba said. She turned to Sojiro. “Can I have breakfast?”

“You didn’t eat before coming here?” Sojiro wondered.

“I want curry for breakfast!” Futaba demanded.

“Heh. OK OK,” Sojiro said. He fixed her up some curry as well.

Once he sent her plate down she said “Thanks Sojiro.” She took a bite. “MMMMM! Delicious!”

“Heh. Glad you enjoy it,” Sojiro said.

Once Futaba finished breakfast, she said “AH! That hit the spot.” Sojiro took her and Ren’s dishes away.

“So,” Ren asked, “what do you want to do now? Wanna head home before you start day two of your training?”

“Well…” Futaba said, nervously. “I was thinking I could just hang out with you before that.”

Ren smiled. “By all means.”

“Maybe you should go to her room,” Sojiro said. “You know, just to keep out of the way of the customers.”

“Roger,” Futaba said, standing up. Ren stood up after her and the two of them headed upstairs.

Upon arriving, Ren asked “What do you want to do?”

Futaba looked around. “It doesn’t seem like there is a lot to do.”

“Well, maybe,” Ren said. “I’m only living here until my probation is up, so I didn’t think to bring all my stuff. Just the basic necessities.” Ren’s face then turned pale.

Futaba noticed this. “What’s wrong?”

“Huh? Oh,” Ren said, composing herself. “Sorry, it just kind of hit me again that I’m going to be leaving at some point.”

“Do you not want to?” Futaba asked.

“Well… I dunno,” Ren answered. “I genuinely feel better about myself now than I have for…years I guess at this point. I dunno.”

“I’m sure we can figure something out,” Futaba assured her.

Ren smiled and nodded. “Thanks.

Futaba peered around Ren to see her TV set-up. “Wait, how did I not notice that last time?”

“Hm?” Ren wondered.

“That retro console,” Futaba said.

“Oh, that,” Ren said. “I picked it up from the thrift shop down the road.”

“Wait, seriously?” Futaba said.

Ren nodded. “I’ve been playing it on and off. You want it?”

“Um, well,” Futaba got a little flustered. “Funny story. So, um, I accidentally bought two of them, so I sent one of them there.”

Ren was surprised. “So, you’re saying…?”

“Yeah…” Futaba said.

“Huh,” Ren said. “Well, wanna just chill and play some games before it’s time to hang out with the others?”

“Oh yeah!” Futaba said, getting excited.

“Hey!” Morgana called out. He jumped over to them. “Don’t start the party without me!”

“Of course kitty,” Futaba said.

Morgana pouted. “Um, could you call me Morgana?”

“Alright,” Futaba said.

“Th-That fast?!” Morgana said.

Ren chuckled. “Well, let’s play some games.” They set up the TV and system and started playing.

A little later, Ren got a call from Ann. “Hello?”

“We’re here!” Ann said in her usual cheery voice.

“Perfect,” Ren replied. “Come on up.”

“I thought we were meeting at Futaba’s?” Ann said, a little confused.

“Well, Futaba’s here,” Ren said. She glanced over at her playing some video games. “So, I figured it’d be better if you all came up here.”

“Oh, OK,” Ann replied. “We’ll be up in a minute.”

“Great,” Ren said. She hung up.

Soon, Ann, Ryuji, and Lena were upstairs. “Hi!” Ann said.

“We brought snacks,” Ryuji said, holding up a big bag of snacks.

Lena looked over. “Whatcha doin’?”

“Oh, we’re just playing some video games,” Ren said. “I found this old console at the second hand shop down the street.”

“Nice,” Ryuji said.

“Let’s set up the table so we can put our stuff on it,” Ann said. They did so, and set the snacks out.

Ren looked at Futaba. “You think you can save soon and join us?”

“Yeah,” Futaba said.

“What are you playing anyway?” Lena asked.

“Featherman Seeker,” Futaba answered. “Do you like Featherman?”

“Ummm, I’m not sure,” Lena answered hesitantly.

“Huh?” Futaba said, pausing the game and turning around.

“Sorry,” Ann said. “Lena’s from America, so she might not know what it is exactly.”

“Well, I sort of know about it,” Lena said. “I’m at least aware that it’s the series that gets adapted into Feather Rangers.”

“Uh, come again?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh, I know about that,” Ann said. “It’s a show in America where they take some of the scenes from the Featherman shows and dub over them, as well as splice in new scenes.”

Futaba nodded. “I’ve seen some of it. It’s pretty good. But it’s not better than traditional Featherman.”

“I’m not sure if I’d be into it exactly,” Lena said. “I’m more of a magical girl kind of person. Like Sailor Crescent.”

“Nyeh heh heh,” Futaba chortled. “I think I have the perfect way to get you into Featherman.”

“She’s really adamant about Featherman, huh,” Ryuji remarked.

“It is a little intense,” Morgana stated.

“Are you familiar with a series called Beauty Heal?” Futaba asked Lena. Lena shook her head. “Well, it’s a magical girl show that follows a similar formula to Featherman. If you like Beauty Heal, you’ll like Featherman.”

“Alright,” Lena said. “I’ll give it a shot.” Futaba nodded and went back to her game.

“Futaba…” Ren said.

“I KNOW,” Futaba replied. “I’m almost at a save.”

Ren sighed. “Very well.” Ren began eating some of the snacks.

A few minutes later, Futaba saved, turned off the console, and joined everyone for the snacks as well. “So, we’re just eating?”

Ryuji swallowed his food. “Basically. Summer’s the perfect time for doing a lot of things, but it’s also the perfect time to just kick back, relax, and do nothin’.” Futaba looked at him surprised. “What?”

“I uh,” Futaba stammered. “I don’t know. I just kind of expected you to be the type of guy to talk with his mouth full.”

“Huh,” Ryuji reacted.

“Come to think of it, you usually are,” Ann said.

“Well, uh,” Ryuji said, taking his turn to stammer. “I mean, we’re sort of here for a reason. I didn’t want to be rude. Besides, I kind of want to practice for when we go on a real date.

“Aww, that’s so sweet,” Lena said.

“It is,” Ann said, “but you don’t have to do all that for me. I love you just the way you are.”

“Well, thanks,” Ryuji said. “But…I mean…”

“WAIT!” Futaba said. “You two are going out?”

Ann and Ryuji were a little stunned. “Oh, right,” Ryuji said.

“We did do that while Futaba was recovering…” Ann admitted.

“An ambush!” Futaba exclaimed. Everyone looked at her confused. “I’m the only single person here!”

“Hold it!” Morgana proclaimed. “You’re not alone!”

Futaba was surprised but grateful for Morgana. “Heh heh. That’s right.” She picked him up. “We’re not going to put up with this!”

“Yeah!” Morgana cheered.

“Hm,” Ren grunted and shook her head. “Don’t worry you two. Today we’re just here as friends.”

“I don’t know…” Futaba retorted.

Ann took a handful of chips. “Ryuji!”

“Huh?” Ryuji wondered.

Ann shoved the chips into Ryuji’s mouth. “Say something with food in your mouth!” she demanded.

“Urh! Urh hurh!” Ryuji grunted. He chewed the chips and swallowed them. “Gah! Warn me before you do that next time.”

“Hm hm, sorry,” Ann said. Futaba giggled. Morgana joined it.

“Well, it seemed to have worked,” Lena observed.

Ryuji took a drink of his soda. “Gah!” he breathed upon finishing. “Maybe, but there could have been a better way to do it.”

“Perhaps,” Ren said. “But knowing you two, it was probably the best solution you could have come up with.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ann asked.

“Nothing,” Ren said, wryly. “Unrelated, how is your summer homework coming along?”

“Mmm,” Ann grunted.

“Eh, forget about that,” Ryuji said. “Today, we’re just here to relax.”

Futaba looked at Ryuji. “You’re the type of person to put it off until the day before school starts, aren’t you?”

“D-Don’t say that,” Ryuji protested. “I mean, it’s true, but don’t say that.”

“Heh heh heh,” Futaba chuckled.

Ren smiled slyly. “Ryuji, if you can get your summer homework done before school starts, I’ll extend our deal until the end of September.”

“Hm?” Ryuji wondered. Ren dangled her phone in front of him. “Oh. You’re on!”

“Um, what are you talking about?” Lean wondered.

Ren raised her hands. “I promised Ryuji I wouldn’t say anything.”

“They’re probably talking about that time Ryuji dressed in drag,” Futaba answered.

Everyone was surprised. “How do you know that?” Ryuji asked, petrified.

“I hacked Ren’s phone, remember?” Futaba explained. “I just found the pictures. I don’t know why you did this though.”

Ryuji sighed. “Basically, we were out hunting for information, and some guys got the wrong idea about me. Ren said we should roll with it because we shouldn’t tell people what we’re really doing, and I explained that I kind of did, so to make up for it I basically had to do this.”

Ann chuckled. “Well, I still think you looked really good. Especially since Ren did your make-up.”

“Yeah, you are really good at that,” Ryuji admitted.

Ren giggled. “Thanks.”

“Can I see?” Lena asked.

“Sure,” Ann said.

“Ca-Can we not?” Ryuji asked.

“And sent,” Ann said.

Lena looked through them. “Wow, these are amazing.” She looked at Ryuji. “Have you thought about doing this more?”

“No!” Ryuji said, exasperated. “I almost think we should have told them at this point.”

“Aw, you don’t mean that,” Morgana said.

Futaba nodded. “I mean, even after Ann saw those photos, she still wanted to go out with you. So how bad could they be?”

“Yeah…” Morgana agreed, feeling a little bitter.

Ryuji sighed. “I don’t think I’m going to hear the end of this.”

“We do it because we love you, Ryuji,” Ren said.

“Why do I have to be the butt of the joke though?” Ryuji asked.

“You can make fun of us too,” Ren said. “It’s not a one way street.”

“Really?” Ryuji said. “Hmmmm.” He thought for a moment. “Ugh. I can’t think of anything that’s like not real, you know?”

“Um, what?” Futaba asked. “Are those photos not real?”

“No, I mean,” Ryuji responded, “like something that would actually hurt. Those photos are embarrassing, but I can live with it. But like, a lot of the negative stuff I know about, well, all of you, would cross a line.”

“I see…” Futaba said.

“Ryuji’s right,” Ann said. “Setting and knowing boundaries is important.”

“True,” Ren agreed. “And I would also like to say that I don’t think we cross that line with you either, Ryuji.”

Ryuji nodded. “Yeah. You’re pretty good about that.”

“Nyeh heh heh,” Morgana chuckled. “Well then, let the roasting of Ryuji continue.”

“Only if you’re up next, you little cat,” Ryuji replied.

“I am NOT a cat!” Morgana shot back.

Ren giggled. “I think we’ve had enough razzing people. Let's just finish our snacks.” They continued eating and talking the rest of the afternoon.

That evening, after everyone left, the group chat started up.

Makoto: Did we figure out what we were going to do for the rest of the week?

Ann: Not really.

Makoto: Hmmmm.

Futaba: I think I’m getting better around you all…

Yusuke: True, but what about a perfect stranger?

Yusuke: We are planning on going to the beach after all.

Futaba: …

Ren: Maybe we can work on that…

Ryuji: Is there any place you want to try and go, Futaba-chan?

Futaba: Too many to count.

Ryuji: Hmmmm.

Jose: Well, Lena was also locked in her room until recently.

Jose: Is there anywhere you want to go, Lena?

Lena: Well, I mean, I have the same answer as Futaba.

Jose: Oh.

Lena: But I know the first place on my list.

Jose: Oh?

Lena: Number one with a bullet is Akihabara.

Ann: Ooo, that sounds fun.

Ann: Wanna come to Akihabara Futaba?

Futaba: Difficulty level: Too high.

Ren: Even with me.

Futaba: Even with you.

Lena: We don’t have to go there.

Futaba: No. You should go if you want to.

Lena: Are you sure?

Futaba: Yes.

Lena: Well, thanks.

Futaba: NP.

Ann: I can come with you tomorrow Lena.

Lena: Really?

Ann: Yeah!

Lena: Thanks.

Ren: I think I know a place with a fairly low difficulty rating that we can try to introduce you to people Futaba.

Futaba: Where?

Ren: Leblanc.

Futaba: Difficulty level: Just right.

Yusuke: You want her to hang out in the cafe all day?

Ren: Well, Sojiro could use some help from time to time.

Futaba: True.

Ren: So I figured we can help around the cafe.

Ren: It’s a surefire way to keep Sojiro, Morgana, and I around while Futaba gets used to the idea of other people.

Makoto: Sounds like a plan.

Sumire: Sorry, I just got back.

Sumire: Practice went long today.

Ren: It’s fine.

Sumire: Although, I think I did just realize something.

Sumire: Futaba doesn’t get out much, right?

Makoto: Right.

Sumire: Futaba? Do you have a swimsuit?

Futaba: Yup!

Sumire: Really?

Futaba: Mm-hm.

Futaba: I don’t think I’ve grown much since I was in middle school, so my old school swimsuit should fit.

Sumire: School…swimsuit…?

Ann: WHAT?!

Ryuji: Here we go.

Ann: I know what we’re doing the day after tomorrow!

Ann: We’re taking Futaba shopping!

Ann: And I’m not taking “no” for an answer!

Futaba: WHAT?!

Futaba: Danger level: Too high!

Ann: I promise, we don’t have to go anywhere overly crowded to get something really good.

Ann: I know all the shops by heart, so I know which ones to avoid.

Ren: And I’ll be there with you all the way.

Futaba: Even in the fitting rooms?

Ren: Well, if you don’t want me in there…

Makoto: I think we all should go.

Makoto: Just to be safe.

Sumire: I wouldn’t mind coming along.

Sumire: I’d like to spend some more time with Futaba.

Ren: What do you say Futaba?

Futaba: …

Futaba: Danger level: Moderate. Optimal strategy: Party. Party: Chosen.

Ren: Good.

Lena: You know, it wouldn’t hurt for me to get a new swimsuit as well.

Jose: Come to think of it, I don’t have a swimsuit either.

Ryuji: Well, maybe while the girls are doing their thing, we take you to get some too.

Jose: Really?

Ryuji: Yeah.

Ryuji: I’m sure Ann knows some places we can go to.

Ann: I do!

Ryuji: See? It’ll be fun.

Jose: Alright then.

Ryuji: HELL YEAH! Bros day out!

Yusuke: Are you bringing me in on this too?

Ryuji: Uh, yeah dude.

Jose: Come on, it’ll be fun.

Ryji: We can even grab some lunch.

Yusuke: Very well then.

Makoto: Well, it sounds like we have the next two days planned.

Makoto: Do you have any idea when you'll be ready for the beach Futaba-chan?

Futaba: …Soon.

Ren: Well, that’s better than nothing.

Makoto: I’m sure we’ll figure that out.

Sumire: I’m a little tired, so good night.

Ren: Good night.

Ryuji: Good night.

Yusuke: Good night.

Ann: Good night!

Makoto: Good night.

Lena: Good night.

Futaba: Good night.

Jose: Good night.

Ren was about to set her phone down when she got a call. “Hello?”

“Hello,” Lavenza said on the other end.

Ren smirked. “You want me to take you somewhere tonight?”

“If you do not mind,” Lavenza replied.

“I’ll be there shortly,” Ren said. She hung up and headed out. Upon arriving at the Velvet Room door, Ren greeted Lavenza with a “Hello.”

“Hello,” Lavenza replied. “Shall we get started?” Ren nodded. “Ahem. Today I wish to go to a place I have heard you can commune with, from my understanding, just one God.”

Ren thought about it. “Wait, you want to go to the church in Kanda?”

“Yes,” Lavenza nodded. “Is that a problem?”

“Well, no…” Ren answered. It’s just…a little unorthodox. But let's go.” They headed out.

When they got there, Lavenza was immediately taken in with the church. “Woah. I’m feeling a weird sensation of awe.”

“I guess,” Ren said, snidely. “Sorry. I’m not much of a believer. Well, I wasn’t anyway.”

Lavenza grew curious. “What changed your mind?”

Ren tilted her head in confusion. “Uh, you did.” Lavenza was more curious. “Well, more specifically this whole situation. I mean, I can’t ignore the existence of any god or mythical being if I’m going around fighting them.”

“Well…how should I explain this?” Lavenza wondered. “The personas you carry and shadows you fight aren’t exactly the real embodiments of those beings, but rather the perception of such beings formulated by humanity’s understanding of them.”

“Huh,” Ren reacted. “I guess that makes sense. But still, there’s you, Igor, the Velvet Room, and that other world in general.”

“Well, that’s true…” Lavenza admitted. “Although I do not claim to be a god.”

“Even so,” Ren said. “Your existence is making me rethink a lot of things.”

“Well, I am glad to hear that,” Lavenza said. “This experience is supposed to be a journey. You are meant to change and grow stronger. Otherwise you would not be strong enough to fight the powers that oppose all of humanity.”

Ren was stunned. “That’s a lot to take in. But I guess it’s true.”

“I would not lie to you,” Lavenza replied.

“Right…” Ren replied.

“What’s going on?” the priest said. He noticed Ren. “Oh, I’ve seen you here before. You’re Hifumi’s friend, aren’t ya?”

Ren nodded. “Correct.”

“And you were here with that other boy studying art as well,” the priest went on.

“Also true,” Ren said.

“So, why are you here now?” he asked.

“Well, she wanted to come here,” Ren explained, indicating to Lavenza.

The priest was a little surprised. “I see.”

“Pardon me,” Lavenza said. “Are you the master of this place?”

The priest was surprised. “Um, well, no?” Lavenza was surprised. “The Lord is.”

“Oh,” Lavenza, realizing what he meant. “But you are his envoy, are you not?”

“Well, I suppose that’s true,” the priest said. “But in a way, we are all envoys of the Lord.”

“Even if you don’t believe?” Lavenza asked. This caused Ren and the priest to react with shock.

“Well…” the priest began, “I personally believe that the Lord is working through us all, even if we aren’t aware of it.”

“I see,” Lavenza replied. “But why not make people aware?”

“Well, that’s certainly the million dollar question, isn’t it?” the priest replied. “In truth, this is a highly debated topic. There are several answers to that question; none of them exactly wrong. But my perspective is that while God could make his presence known, it would make humans too reliant on God.”

“But don’t you get your power from God?” Lavena inquired further.

“Well sure,” the priest said. “But it is up to me on how to use it. Much like we put our faith in God, God puts his faith in us.”

Lavenza was in awe. “Wow.”

The priest smiled. “Sorry. That might be a little too much for you.”

“No, I think I get it,” Lavenza said. “It’s that same faith that we put in each other, correct?”

The priest smiled. “It seems like you do get it.” He turned to Ren. “Well, what about you?”

Ren was surprised. “Huh? Well… I’m not entirely sure myself. I mean, I’ve experienced a lot of bad things in life. It made it hard for me to believe. But recently, things have changed. So, I don’t know.”

The priest nodded. “I understand. I’ll be praying for you.”

Ren nodded. “I wish you the best of luck as well.” The priest nodded, and went back to his business.

“Fascinating,” Lavenza remarked.

Ren smiled. “It’s almost like you two were on the same level.”

“Perhaps,” Lavenza said. “Although I’ve still got a ways to go.”

“You and me both,” Ren replied.

“Although this has just reaffirmed something for me,” Lavenza stated.

“What is that?” Ren asked.

Lavenza turned to Ren. “I have faith in you.” Ren was surprised again. “While I cannot predict how this will all end, I believe in your ability to see it through.”

Ren was stunned for a moment. She finally smiled and said “Hm. And I believe you’re doing everything to assist me. You know, I can see why God likes this faith stuff. When you told me you believed in me, it made me feel more confident.”

“Hm hm,” Lavenza giggled. “Likewise.”

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 4

“So, do you want to stay here and learn some more?” Ren asked.

“I think I’ve had enough for one day,” Lavenza answered.

Ren nodded. “Very well then.” Ren offered her hand. Lavenza took it. Together they walked to the Velvet Room. Ren dropped Lavenza off, and then headed back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

I'm amazed I could name my chapter that and it fits. This chapter went a little harder than I had anticipated, but I think it worked in its favor. So, I'm no religious scholar, so I don't know for sure how deeply some of that stuff is debated. I'm also not Catholic, so I don't know if those are exctly tenents of Catholicism. I'm not sure anyone on this site would be someone who would call me out on all of this (for a variety of reasons), but it doesn't hurt to cover your bases. But it does make for an interesting conversation, and it's an alternate universe anyway. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 122: Faced with Danger

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

For the second day in a row, Futaba entered Leblanc while Ren was having breakfast. “Good morning Futaba,” Sojiro greeted. “Do you want me to make you breakfast again?”

“Nah, I ate before coming here,” Futaba replied.

“Oh,” Sojiro said, somewhat disappointed.

“Today, I’m here to work!” Futaba said, trying to be excited, but still somewhat nervous.

“Ummmm, what?” Sojiro said.

“Right,” Ren replied. “We’re trying to get Futaba used to strangers, so we thought that by having her work here would help with that.”

“O…K…” Sojiro responded.

“You don’t sound enthusiastic,” Ren replied.

“It’s a bit of a shock is all,” Sojiro replied. “But I don't mind having extra help. Plus, if it’s to help Futaba, how can I say no?”

“Aww, thanks Sojiro,” Futaba said. “You’re such a softie.” Sojiro grunted, but couldn’t deny it.

Ren and Futaba geared up to help Sojiro with the cafe for today. They took turns cooking and cleaning, while Ren and Sojiro served the customers. While they were tackling some dishes, Ren remarked “You're doing great Futaba!” Futaba smiled.

A little later, one of Leblanc’s usuals, who was a little presumptuous and full of themselves, remarked “Woah Boss. You got yourself TWO Bond girls? That’s a first.”

Sojiro was a little ticked. “It’s not like that.”

“Still, they seem to be on the younger side,” the customer continued. “You don’t want The Phantom Thieves to come after you, right?”

“I told you it’s not like that,” Sojiro reiterated.

Ren was observing the scene while working on some of the dishes. “Maybe we should let Sojiro handle this guy Futaba.” She looked over only for Futaba to not be there. “Futaba?”

“Here’s your order,” Futaba said

“GAH!” the customer said. Ren looked over, and noticed Futaba was greeting the customer while wearing her mask.

“Oh boy,” Ren remarked.

“Futaba!” Sojiro shouted. He rushed over and placed himself between Futaba and the customer. “Sorry about that.”

“Wha-What’s going on?’ the customer asked.

“It’s…complicated…” Sojiro said.

The customer signed. “Well…If you say so…” he sat there in silence eating his order.

Sojiro pulled Futaba over into the kitchen. “Futaba…you can’t greet customers with that mask.”

“I’m more impressed you managed to get that in here without me noticing,” Ren remarked.

“Heh heh,” Futaba laughed.

“I’m serious,” Sojiro said.

Futaba frowned. “Sorry…”

Sojiro sighed. “It’s fine. Just…make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

“You know Futaba,” Ren said, “I get that you didn’t want to face them directly, but something like that only makes you stick out more.” Futaba frowned.

“She is right, you know,” Sojiro explained. Futaba was surprised. “That customer probably wouldn’t care about your overall presentation if it weren’t for the mask.”

Futaba frowned again. “Sorry…”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK. This is why we’re doing this. Heck, I’m even impressed that you gave it an attempt without prompting.”

Futaba smiled back. “Thanks.”

Sojiro smiled too. “Let’s get back to work.” The two girls nodded, and they did as Sojiro said.

A little after that, another customer came in, and Futaba served them without the mask. Futaba was nervous throughout the exchange, but she managed to get through it. Once the customer left, she turned to Sojiro and Ren and said “I did it!”

They smiled. “Congratulations Futaba,” Ren said.

“Way to go,” Sojiro added.

“Heh heh,” Futaba laughed with a mile-wide smile.

Meanwhile, Ann was out with Lena in Akihabara. “Wow, you sure are buying a lot,” Ann remarked.

“Eh heh,” Lena laughed. “Maybe I’m going a little overboard.”

“Sorry,” Ann said. “I didn’t mean it like that. I mean, I get it. I like shopping as a stress reliever too. Just make sure you have the money for all of it.”

“Right…” Lena replied.

“Lena?” said Akechi’s voice rang out, causing Lena and Ann to tense up. They turned around to see Akechi walking over to them.

“Oh, hi Goro,” Lena said, getting slightly embarrassed.

“What are you doing out here?” Akechi wondered. He took notice of Ann. “Who is this?”

“Oh, uh,” Lena said nervously, “this is Ann-chan.”

“Wait, I think I recognize you,” Akechi said. “You were at the TV station, correct?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ann said.

“You were there too?” Lena wondered.

“Oh, right,” Akechi said. “I forgot you might not know you two go to the same school.”

“Oh, we know that,” Lena blurted out. She immediately realized her mistake.

“And how do you know that?” Akechi wondered.

“Oh, uh, we kind of bumped into each other,” Ann said, covering for Lena.

“Did you now?” Akechi said, surprised.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “I was out here looking for something for a friend when I ran into Lena here. I really liked what she was wearing, and then we kind of got to talking, and one thing led to another…”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“Although, why are you out here Goro?” Lena asked.

“Oh, right,” Akechi said.”Well, I’m looking into some possible Medjed connections, while also aiming to see if I can’t pick up on anything Phantom Thieves related.”

“I see,” Lena said.

“Hold on,” Ann said. “What about that brings you out here?”

Akechi looked at her. “Well, Medjed is…was..I’m not quite sure…an online organization. Akihabara is one of the more tech savvy places in Tokyo. In fact, some members have been identified as living in the area, or at least frequenting the area. As for the Phantom Thieves, well that one’s more of a hail mary.

Medjed and its members aren’t some two-bit tech newbies taking their hacking skills for a joyride. They are serious about it. And yet, their website got hacked by The Phantom Thieves. So, I theorize that The Phantom Thieves may have picked up a new member whose hacking prowess is second to none. And, as I stated, Akihabara is a haven for those types of techies.”

“Eh heh, he’s so smart,” Lena said with a grin plastered on her face.

“Of course, that's just a guess,” Akechi admitted. “No one has any real evidence on the Phantom Thieves. They could be anyone. Why, you could be friends with a Phantom Thief and not even know it.”

Ann and Lena were rattled, but kept their composure. “Riiiiight…” Ann said, nervously.

“Sorry,” Akechi said. “I didn’t mean to worry you.”

“It’s fine,” Lena said.

“Well, you two have fun,” Akechi said. “I have to keep up my investigation.”

“Take care Goro,” Lena said. Akechi walked off. Once he was far enough away, Lena groaned. “Uhhhhh.”

“You alright?” Ann asked.

“Yeah,” Lena answered. “I just hate lying to Goro like that…”

Ann sighed in solidarity. “Yeah…”

“I mean, I want to tell him, but…” Lena lamented.

“I know,” Ann said.

Lena sighed. “I wish one day we can tell him.”

Ann smiled. “Me too.”

Lena smiled at her. “Thanks.”

Ann giggled. “No problem.” They shared a laugh. “So, do you want to create a bit of truth from the lie?”

“Huh?” Lena wondered.

“Well…” Ann said. “I said I was here to grab something for a friend. So why don’t we get something for Futaba-chan?”

Lena understood. “Sounds like fun.”

“Well then, let’s go,” Ann said. The two of them went through to look for something to give Futaba.

As Leblanc was wrapping up business for the day, Futaba was bouncing up and down and asked “Sojiro! How did I do?”

Sojiro looked at her. “Well, for your first day, you did pretty good.”

“Really?” Futaba asked.

Sojiro nodded. “There were some hiccups, but you seem to have managed.”

“Yes!” Futaba cheered. She turned to Ren. “Did you hear that? I did good.”

“Hm hm,” Ren chuckled. “Yeah.”

“C’mon Futaba,” Sojiro said. “Let’s go home and make dinner.” He looked at Ren. “You good on your own?” Ren nodded. “Very well. Seeya tomorrow.”

“Oh yeah,” Ren remembered. “Futaba, are you ready for tomorrow?”

“Mmmm, maybe,” Futaba replied.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” Sojiro wondered.

“We’re getting Futaba a new swimsuit,” Ren explained. “We’re going to try to go to the beach before summer ends.”

“Huh,” Sojiro said.

“I’m…still a little nervous,” Futaba admitted.

“That’s why we’re doing this,” Ren said.

Sojiro smiled. “Well, with all the progress you made today, I’m sure you’ll be at the beach in no time.”

Futaba smiled. “Thanks Sojiro.”

“Well, come on then,” Sojiro said. “I think you’ve had enough excitement for one day.”

“Right,” Futaba said. “Seeya!”

“Take care,” Ren said. The two left. Ren decided to fix herself up something for dinner. Once she was done eating, she got a phone call. “Hello?”

“Hey,” Iwai said. “Can you come by the shop tonight?”

“It’s a little late,” Ren said.

“I know,” Iwai said. “But you’re not gonna be doing any actual work.”

Ren was curious. “Then what would I be doing?”

“I’ll…fill ya in when you get here,” Iwai said. “It’s some serious stuff.”

Ren sighed. “Fine. I’ll be right over.”

“Thanks,” Iwai said. “I knew I could count on you.” He hung up, and Ren headed to Untouchable.

When Ren arrived, she felt the difference in Iwai’s attitude on sight. “You weren’t kidding.”

“I hardly do,” Iwai said. “Come on in.”

Ren walked over to the counter. “So, what’s the scoop?”

Iwai grinned. “I figured out what Tsuda’s game is.”

Ren was surprised. “Do tell.”

“Well, you know that deal he cut with the Hong Kong mafia?” Iwai asked. “Heh. It turns out he got stiffed. The guns they promised aren’t coming in. Which is why he needs my fake weapons; to make it look like the deal went through.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

“Well, since I know about this now, I’m meeting with him tonight to discuss this,” Iwai said. “I want you to come with me.”

Ren was shocked. “Me? Why me?”

“It’s just a customary thing,” Iwai said. “In the mafia, you always gotta have a witness.”

“I see,” Ren said, a little pale.

“But it’s also more than that,” Iwai said. “It’s a sign of trust. I’m not about to bring just anyone. You’ve been helping me out a lot and not just around the store. So I wanted to show I respect you. Besides, if worse comes to worse, I’ll protect ya”

“Well, thanks…I guess…” Ren said, still a little nervous.

Iwai checked the time. “He should be expecting us soon. Let’s head out.” Ren nodded, hoping things wouldn’t go bottoms up.

They met up in a secluded area under an overpass. Tsuda was there, as expected. He looked at the oncoming Iwai and Ren and got flustered. “Iwai? What’s the big idea? I thought it was just going to be the two of us.”

“Relax,” Iwai said. “She’s here as a witness. Or maybe don’t relax, if that’s your prerogative now.”

“Witness?” Tsuda said. “Heh. Some things never change. Good ol’ Iwai, always doing things by the book.”

“I wish I could return the sentiment,” Iwai retorted. “But right now, I’m worried if the Tsuda I knew is still in there.”

“Heh,” Tsuda chuckled. “So, what’s this about?”

“I think you know what this is about,” Iwai said. “I know about the Hong Kong deal.” Tsuda was alarmed. “I know it fell under, and that’s why you need all those fake weapons I make, right?”

“Why are you telling me this?” Tsuda asked.

“I’m giving you a chance to back off,” Iwai said. “I don’t care how you solve this problem, as long as you don’t involve me.”

“I thought we were brothers,” Tsuda said.

“We are,” Iwai responded. “But that doesn’t mean you can threaten me or my son. Just like you want to stand up for your family, I need to stand up for mine.”

Tsuda was stunned. He relaxed a little. “Hm. I see.” He pulled out a gun and aimed it at Iwai.

Iwai was alarmed. He raised his arms up. “Wh-What are you doing?!”

“Heh,” Tsuda grunted. “Maybe it was a good thing you got out when you did. They would have eaten you alive if you followed the code as strictly as you do.”

“What are you talking about?” Iwai asked.

“Times have changed Iwai,” Tsuda said. “You don’t get anywhere just by following the code anymore.” He cocked the gun. “There’s no other option. I NEED your supplies. So I’m only going to say this once: If you don’t get me what I asked for, your son knowing about your past will be the LEAST of your concerns. Ya hear me?”

Iwai scowled. “Loud and clear.”

Tsuda put his gun away. He smiled. “I knew I could count on you. Brother.” He walked off into the night.

“God DAMMIT!” Iwai screamed. He looked at Ren, who was understandably shaken a little. Iwai sighed. “I’m sorry I dragged you into this.”

Ren took a deep breath and relaxed a little. “Well, nothing terrible happened.”

“True,” Iwai said. “But that’s not much of a silver lining now, is it?” He sighed. “I knew Tsuda had changed, but I didn’t expect him to be this far gone.”

“What are you gonna do? Ren asked.

Iwai grunted. “He’s not giving much of a choice. I need to give him what he wants. To protect my family.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“And that includes you,” Iwai said. Ren was a little surprised. “I was thinking this would be a sign of respect, but that went downhill quickly. Still, I gotta show that I still care somehow. So, thanks. For everything. But while I’m working on filling out Tsuda’s order, I need ya to avoid the place.”

“How come?” Ren inquired.

“Well, for one thing, I don’t want Tsuda to aim a gun at you again,” Iwai explained. “But also, I’m a bit stubborn. He can make me do what he wants, but without you helping me, it’ll take longer.”

“Is there any way you can subvert him?” Ren asked.

‘You saw what happened,” Iwai said. “It’ll be alright. So long as you Kaoru are safe. That's my only goal.”

Ren was a little frustrated. She knew she needed to try something. “What’s his full name?”

“His full name?” Iwai said, shocked. “Why do ya need to know?”

“Well…” Ren answered.

“Actually, hold on,” Iwai said. “That’s not a bad idea. You might be safer if you don’t stop by the shop, but if he sees you just out and about…” Iwai grew really serious. “Look, I know you and I don’t exactly like the cops, but if he sees you, find them if you can’t find a different place to hide. When you do, tell ‘em that Akimitsu Tsuda is after you. Heh. I’m sure they’ll eat that right up.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

“No,” Iwai said. “Thank you. For everything.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 7

“Now let’s get out of here before anything else happens,” Iwai instructed. Ren nodded, and the two headed out for the night. Ren kept that name in mind; ready to go for it during their next encursion into Mementos.

Notes:

I just came across my second (sort of) big continuity error. I forgot to add the indicator of Death 7 in chapter 102, even thought it was supossed to be there. I did go back in there and add it since it wass a quick fix. I think it was understood (especially since I had it in my notes that it was a rank up), but if you didn't know, now you know.

Anyway, this was a interesting chapter to say the least. The Futaba story was a little short this time, but it was heartwarming. Fun too. I also liked adding in the scene with Lena, Ann, and Akechi. I feel like it gave the overall story a little flavor.

But I do realize that it is a bit jarring in a more narrative focused thing that Ren could take having a gun aimed at them as well as they do in the game. Still, even at the earliest point you could do that, they've already fought Kamoshida, so maybe it's not as nerve-racking. Although I can't imagine it's not nerve-racking at all. I'll figure if I want to make something out of this or not (I probably will).

But anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 123: Lowering Anxiety

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Walking back into Leblanc after getting a gun pointed at her made Ren feel relieved, and yet a little strange. While she had grown accustomed to it, her home for the time being was still a coffee shop. Still, this was no time to worry about that. And yet, she worried just the same.

After she changed into her pajamas, she climbed into bed. She was still a little frazzled. What am I so worried about? She wondered. I mean, the gun didn’t even go off. I’ve walked away from scuffles where I was left bleeding. So why does this feel different?

In her restlessness, she opened up her phone. Immediately, she was hit with her answer. She had changed her phone wallpaper to an image of Sumire performing from the day they started going out. Right…

She eyed her contacts. It’s pretty late. We have to wake up kind of early tomorrow. Buuuuut I guess it wouldn’t hurt. She tapped through her contacts to get to Sumire’s number and gave it a call.

After a bit, she picked up. “...Hello?” Sumire said, still somewhat asleep.

“Hi…” Ren said, a little nervous. “Did I wake you? I’m sorry.”

Sumire chuckled slightly. “It’s OK. It’s you after all, right?” Ren chuckled back. “What’s up?”

“Well…” Ren said. “I…may have done something a little reckless tonight.”

“Are you hurt?” Sumire asked, now more awake.

“No,” Ren answered. “But I could have been. And for that…I don’t know…I kind of want to apologize.”

“Ren…” Sumire said. “You don’t need to apologize. I’ve seen you do a number of reckless things.” Ren was a little confused and concerned. “But you always do them to help someone else. Were you helping someone this time?”

Ren smiled. “Yeah.”

“Well then, since you weren’t hurt, I’d call this a success,” Sumire said.

Ren smiled, but in a sort of distant way. “I’m still a little shaken. That’s why I called. I guess I was afraid. Of a lot of things.”

“Well, that’s fine,” Sumire assured her. Ren was stunned. “It just means you’re human. As someone who’s let fear control them for a while, I’m glad your response was to give me a call, and not something more extreme.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Sumi. You always know just what to say.”

Sumire yawned. “Well, I’m glad I could help, Senpai. I'll see you tomorrow.”

“Goodnight,” Ren replied. She waited for Sumire to say it back. However, Sumire had already fallen asleep, as Ren could hear the sound of her sleeping intermittently through the phone. She grinned, put the phone on speaker mode, plugged it in, and fell asleep to the sounds of her girlfriend sleeping.

Ren woke up to the sound of Sumire screaming. “AHHHHHHH!” Ren picked up her phone to see that it had been going for hours. “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

Ren chuckled. “It’s alright, Sumire.”

“But…” Sumire replied. “I didn’t notice I was still talking with you.”

“Well…about that…” Ren said. “I did notice you fell asleep.”

“Eh?” Sumire responded.

“But, I…um…well…I felt calmer hearing you sleeping, so I just left it on,” Ren explained. “I’m the one who should be apologizing. So, sorry.”

There was a bit of silence on the other end for a second. Sumire then spoke up. “It’s fine. I understand. You were scared, right?”

Ren relaxed a little. “Yeah,” she answered. “I’m glad I have a girlfriend like you.”

“He he,” Sumire laughed.

“So, you ready for today?” Ren asked. “Mentally, I mean… Since, you know, you are still in bed…”

Sumire giggled again. “Right. I’ll be over soon enough.”

“See you then.” Ren said. “And…thanks for indulging me.”

“Hm. No problem,” Sumire replied. They hung up and got ready for the day.

While Ren was having breakfast, she got out her phone.

Ren: Hey Ryuji.

Ren: I need you to do me a favor.

Ryuji: Sup?

Ren: Since you’re having a guys day, can you take Morgana with you?

“WHAT?!” Morgana yelped.

Ryuji: Uhh, sure.

Ryuji: I’ll, uh, stop by soon.

Ren: Thanks.

“Hold on, don’t I get a say in this?” Morgana asked.

“Well, Sojiro doesn’t really want you in the building when there are customers,” Ren reminded him.

“I can walk around on my own,” Morgana countered.

“And I usually trust you to do that,” Ren replied. “But everyone’s going to be off doing stuff. I didn’t want you to be lonely.” Morgana pouted but stayed silent, as he could not think of a response. “Besides, I think you could use something like this. I mean, too often you’re caught up in my stuff.”

“Well, I was created to help you,” Morgana reminded her.

“True,” Ren admitted. “But I think it’s fine to take time to help yourself as well.”

“And you think this will?” Morgana asked.

Ren smiled. “Yeah. I do.”

“Well…if you say so…” Morgana relented.

Ren chuckled. “I’m sure you’ll have fun.”

After breakfast, Ryuji swung by to pick up Morgana. Ren opened the door. “Do you have something to carry him in?”

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. He showed off a tote bag he had. “I know it’s not like the bag you’re usually carried in, but…”

Morgana sighed. “Don’t worry about it.”

“You ready?” Ren asked. Morgana nodded. He jumped into the tote bag.

“Oof. You’re heavier than you look,” Ryuji reacted.

“Is that a problem?” Morgana asked angrily.

“Not really,” Ryuji said. “Just didn’t expect it. But, um,why did we do this now though? I mean, we’re heading to the same place, right?”

“Well…” Ren said. “It might take us a bit longer to get there. Futaba might not be as ready to go.”

“Gotcha,” Ryuji said. “Well, seeya then.”

“Take care you two,” Ren said.

“Seeya,” Morgana said, still a little unsure.

Ryuji walked off, Morgana in tow. “So, ready to have some fun?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be…” Morgana replied.

“Ah, come on,” Ryuji said. “Yusuke and Jose will be joining us too. It’ll be fun.”

Morgana sighed. “Fine.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ryuji said. They continued towards Kosei.

Later, Ren, Sumire, Makoto, Lena, and Ann were in front of Futaba’s door. Makoto knocked. “Futaba. Open up.”

“Mmmmm,” Futaba groaned.

“The sooner we get going, the sooner we're done,” Makoto reminded.

“Wow. Spoken like a true team mom,” Ann remarked. Makoto gave her a side-eye. “Eh heh,” Ann laughed nervously.

Ren looked over at Lena and saw she was holding something. “What do you have in that bag?”

“Oh, right, we were in Akihabara yesterday,” Lena explained. “And we, um, sort of bumped into Goro…”

“Hold on, Akechi was in Akihabara?” Sumire wondered. Lena nodded.

“If I had to wager a guess, he was investigating something,” Makoto observed.

“He was,” Lena explained.

“We got to talking, and I sort of had to make up a lie about how I bumped into Lena while I was out shopping for a friend,” Ann explained. “So, to make it a truth, we got Futaba something!”

“WHAT?!” Futaba called out. She opened her door, still wearing her pajamas. “You got me something? What is it?”

“Well,” Lena said. She started taking it out of the bag.

“We weren’t entirely sure what you had or didn’t have,” Ann said.

“But we know you really like Featherman,” Lena said. “She finished pulling the gift out of the bag. “So we got you this.” It was a replica gun that had the Featherman logo on it.

Futaba looked at the replica gun. “WOAH!” She grabbed it with excitement. “This is so COOL!”

Lena sighed, relieved. “I was worried you already had it.”

“Well, I have a replica of the gun they usually use,” Futaba explained. “But THIS is a replica of the special gun they use in the film “Featherman: Land of 1000 Dreams!”

“Oh,” Lena said.

“Huh,” Ann reacted. “I guess that’s why it was a little pricey.”

“Um, you didn’t pay too much for it, right?” Sumire asked.

“There’s no such thing as too much for this,” Futaba said, excitedly.

Ann giggled. “I’m fine.”

Lena chuckled. “You know, Ann…uhhhh…”

Ren was curious. “What’s up?”

“Well, I don’t know if I should say…” Lena said.

Ann sighed. “It’s alright.”

“What is?” Makoto wondered.

“Ann got a discount because the guy behind the counter recognized her from the magazines,” Lena said.

“Wow,” Sumire reacted.

Ann’s face turned a little red. “I’m a little embarrassed.”

“I’m just glad the situation didn’t get worse,” Ren remarked.

“Me too,” Ann said. “Although I was prepared if it did. I’ve been doing all that gym training, remember?” Ren giggled.

“So, um, Futaba?” Makoto wondered. Futaba looked up at her. “Are you ready to go now?”

Futaba frowned slightly, but relented. “Yeah. Just give me a second.” She went back into her room and closed the door. She came back out a few minutes later wearing her casual clothes. “Alright. Let’s go.” Futaba started walking off. The others followed her, and they were off to the shop.

Meanwhile, Ryuji and Morgana arrived at Kosei. “Now, where could they be?” Ryuji wondered.

“HEY!” Jose called out. Ryuji and Morgana looked over to see him and Yusuke ready to go. Ryuji smiled, and rushed over. Once he got there, Jose said “You made it.”

“I see you brought Morgana with you as well,” Yusuke remarked.

“Well, Ren just didn’t want me to be alone,” Morgana said.

“He’s…not as enthusiastic as I am,” Ryuji added.

Jose smiled. “Well, we’ll make sure you’ll have fun.” He pet Morgana. He slightly purred.

“Well, I’m sure today will be delightful,” Yusuke said. “Shall we get going?”

“Yeah,” Ryuji answered. The four of them started heading out.

As the girls were on their way, Sumire thought of something. “Hey, ummmmm…”

“What is it?” Ren asked.

“Well…how should I put this delicately?” Sumire replied. “This is Futaba's first time getting a swimsuit in a while. Maybe, uh, she should be measured. You know, so we know what sizes to look for.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Makoto pointed out.

“I think I should get myself measured again too,” Ann said. “I think they’ve grown a bit. I swear, sometimes they have a mind of their own.”

“I-I know my size,” Futaba said, face beet red. “Besides, I don’t want to get measured and then compete with the champion.”

“Ch-Champion?” Ann said, slightly embarrassed.

“Ugh,” Makoto groaned. “How did we get into this mess?”

“Don’t worry Futaba,” Lena said. “You’re still adorable.”

“Ugh,” Futaba groaned.

“You know, size isn’t everything,” Ren said.

“Of course you’d say that,” Futaba muttered. “You’re in second place.” Ren got a little embarrassed.

“You know Futaba,” Sumire interjected. “I didn’t ask Ren out because she had big breasts. I asked her out because she’s amazing. And you’re amazing too.”

Futaba got a little flustered. “Y-You’re just saying that…”

“She’s right,” Lena said. “I know we haven’t talked much, but I think you’re pretty cool. And undeniably cute too. Why, if I wasn’t dating Akechi, I might ask you out.”

Futaba’s face got even redder. She ran and hid behind Ren. “Eh heh. Let’s just keep going.”

“Please,” Makoto said. They walked on.

“Um, Ann?” Lena wondered. Ann turned to meet her gaze. “If you still want to, I think I’ve grown a little too since I came to Japan, so we could do it together.”

Ann smiled. “Sure.”

“Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve gotten measured since I came to Tokyo either,” Ren pondered. She turned to Futaba, who was still holding her tightly. “If we all do it, would you be OK doing it?”

Futaba hestated. “...I guess.”

“Alright, it looks like we’re doing this,” Makoto said.

“Hm hm,” Sumire chuckled. “Come on Makoto-senpai. We’re doing this for Futaba.”

Makoto rallied. “Right. Let’s go then.” They headed off.

Meanwhile, the boys were on their way to the store as well. Yusuke pondered “Should we get something to eat first?”

“Nah, let’s do that after,” Ryuji said. “You know, to celebrate a job well done.”

“Hm, I see,” Yusuke remarked. “That way, the food will taste sweeter.”

“But where to go,” Ryuji wondered.

“It’s gotta be a place that I can come in,” Morgana said. “This bag doesn’t have a zipper, so I can’t hide.”

“That certainly limits our options,” Yusuke remarked.

“Eh, worst case scenario, that diner always has good food,” Ryuji said.

“True,” Yusuke replied.

Jose looked up at Ryuji. “Um, Ryuji?” Ryuji looked down. “Where do you think you’ll take Ann on your first date?”

Ryuji was shocked. “Wh-Where did that come from?”

“Well, we were talking about going some place to eat,” Jose said. “And dates are usually at places to eat.”

“This is true,” Yusuke agreed.

“Well, I mean, how should I know?” Ryuji stumbled.

“Uh, you’re dating her, aren’t you?” Morgana replied. “You should be thinking about potential date spots.”

“Well, uh,” Ryuji stammered. “We did JUST start dating. That was only a few days before Futaba healed fully.”

“Well, maybe this conversation will help you think of some ideas,” Yusuke said.

“Well, I mean, I don’t know if I’d have the money to take her anywhere fancy,” Ryuji said. “Nor the attire.”

“I’m sure she’d pay,” Jose said.

“She might also have something for you to wear,” Morgana said. “She does work as a model.”

“Ann is the type of person to take charge,” Yusuke pointed out.

“Well, what about my pride as a man?” Ryuji posited.

“Didn’t she ask you out?” Jose said.

“Also true,” Yusuke said.

“Ann taking charge in your relationship wouldn’t be too unnatural,” Jose finished.

“Besides, you should be lucky that you’re going out with Ann at all,” Morgana snarked.

“Ugh,” Ryuji sighed. “Let’s just keep going.” Ryuji walked stubbornly.

Morgana noticed his change in attitude and felt like he needed to speak up. “Hey.” Ryuji looked down. “I don’t know how much you need to worry. I mean, from what I’ve seen from Ren and Sumire, being a couple isn’t about where you go. It’s about being together. So long as you and Lady Ann are happy with each other, then everything else will be fine too.”

Ryuji smiled. “Thanks.” The group kept walking to the store.

At the store, the girls were going through the swimsuits. “What do you think of this one?” Ann asked.

“Too flashy,” Futaba replied.

“This one?” Ann said.

“Too pink.”

“This one?”

“Too bland.”

“Futaba,” Ren intervened. “Do you want to pick your own swimsuit, or do you want to leave it to the professional?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Ann said. “Believe me, there are models that are at least eight times as picky as Futaba here.”

“We have been here for a while though,” Makoto said. “I thought this would go quicker.”

“I want to look nice!” Futaba protested.

“Hm hm,” Lena chuckled. “You heard the girl.”

Ann kept looking. “Oh! I think this is it!” She pulled out a swimsuit. “What about this Futaba?”

Futaba looked it up and down. “Hmmmm. Perfect!”

“Yay!” Sumire cheered.

“Wanna try it on?” Ren asked.

“Hmmmmm,” Futaba replied.

“Hold on. I still want to look for a swimsuit,” Lena said.

Makoto sighed. “Are you alright Makoto?” Sumire asked.

“I guess I’m a little stressed,” Makoto said. “Sis was home last night, and she hasn’t been in a pleasant mood.”

“Oh?” Lena said.

“RIght,” Ren said. “Makoto’s sis is a prosecutor investigating the Phantom Thieves.”

Lena grew alarmed. “Isn’t that dangerous?!”

“She hasn’t suspected a thing yet,” Makoto said.

“Well that’s good,” Lena said.

Sumire put her hand on Makoto’s shoulder. “You know we’re here when you need us.”

Makoto looked, and everyone else smiled, except Futaba, who was hiding behind Ren, but giving a thumbs up anyway. She sighed. “You’re right. I’m just used to bearing the brunt of it.”

“I think we all are, to some extent,” Ren reminded her.

Makoto sighed. “I hope I didn’t ruin your day too much.”

“I think it’s been fun,” Lena said. “I like having you here, keeping us in check.”

Makoto chuckled. “Well, I do the best I can, but you never know with this group.” The girls shared a laugh. “Well, shall we find you a swimsuit Lena?”

“Yeah,” Lena said. They went off to find Lena a swimsuit.

Meanwhile, Jose had found a swimsuit and wanted to try it on. The other boys were waiting outside the changing room. Jose came out. He was wearing a pair of swim trunks that were blue, with the top and bottom edges in white, and two white stripes going down each side of the legs. “What do you think?”

Morgana smiled. “I think they look great.”

“Same,” Ryuji said. “You look really cool.”

Jose smiled really wide. “Heh heh. Thanks.”

“Hmmm,” Yusuke said, looking at Jose intently.

“Right. You’re an artist,” Ryuji remarked.

“I’m not the only artist here,” Yusuke said, using his fingers to frame Jose. “Jose goes to Kosei too. He needs to show off his reputation as an artist as well.”

“I think this is good,” Morgana said. “Usually guys don’t have as much of an eye for fashion.” He looked at Ryuji.

“What?” Ryuji replied. “I just wear what I like. Why does fashion have to be so complicated?”

“Maybe you can ask Ann that on your first date,” Jose said.

“Not a bad idea, Jose,” Morgana added.

“Well, I don’t think you have an answer,” Ryuji retorted. “I mean, you mostly just wear a collar, or a scarf.”

“I’m minimalist in my style,” Morgana stated.

“You don’t want to try something more?” Ryuji asked. “I saw a kitty clothes store not too far from here.”

“Pass,” Morgana said.

“Ha! Scared?” Ryuji asked.

“No,” Morgana answered. “I’m just afraid it’ll distract from my natural charm.”

“Grrr,” Ryuji grumbled.

“Finished,” Yusuke said. Everyone looked at him.

“And?” Ryuji wondered.

“It’s perfect,” Yusuke noted. “Fits Jose to a T.”

Ryuji hung his head. “All that for this?”

“Hm hm,” Jose laughed. “Thanks.”

“Let’s go purchase it,” Morgana said.

“Right,” Jose said. “And then food!” He headed back into the changing room to change back into his clothes.

Yusuke’s eyes lit up. “I almost forgot. Food.”

“That seems like a first,” Ryuji remarked.

“Believe me,” Yusuke stated, “I’ve been so caught up in an art piece I was working on that I forgot to eat for days.”

Ryuji and Morgana were shook. “I don’t know if that’s better or worse.”

“It’s worse, you dummy,” Morgana answered.

“Well, I mean, he’s really into his paintings…” Ryuji said. “It was sort of the same with me and track. I’d go for so long, I’d lose track of time.”

“Ryuji gets it,” Yusuke said.

Morgana sighed. “You’re both idiots.”

Jose came out again. “I’m ready.”

“Let’s go!” Morgana cheered.

“Oh hold on,” Ryuji said.

“What is it?” Yusuke asked.

“I should invite the girls to come to the diner with us,” Ryuji explained. “Plus, I can hand you back to Ren,” he said, looking at Morgana.

“Hm, solid plan,” Morgana said. Ryuji chuckled. “For an idiot.”

Ryuji got mad. “What was that?!”

“Ryuji!” Jose called out. “The girls!”

“Huh?” Ryuji said, snapping out of it. “Oh, right.” He got out his phone.

The girls had found a swimsuit for Lena and were arriving at the changing rooms. Ren checked her phone. “Hey, Ryuji’s offering to meet us at the diner,” she announced. “Do you wanna go?”

“Well, I am getting a little hungry,” Sumire said.

“Sounds good to me,” Ann said.

“I agree,” Makoto added.

“Me too,” Lena tagged on.

Ren turned to Futaba. “What about you? Are you ready for a dining establishment?”

Futaba paused for a moment. “Well… I’ve been fine here. So that shouldn’t be much of an issue. Provided you’re all with me!” she clarified.

“Ren chuckled. “Don’t worry. We will be.” She messaged Ryuji confirmin they’ll come. “He’ll meet us there.”

“But first thing’s first,” Lena said. “We have to try these on.” She turned to Futaba. “Are you ready, Futaba-chan?”

Futaba took a deep breath. “Here I go!” She started walking in.

“Futaba!” Makoto called out. Futaba turned to her. “...Your swimsuit?”

“Oh…right…” Futaba said, embarrassed. She took the swimsuit, and headed to the changing room. Lena headed into a different changing room with her swimsuit.

A little later, Lena walked out. She had chosen a purple bikini with a ring connecting the front part of the chest, and two rings connecting the sides of the bikini bottom. “What do you think?”

“It looks really good,” Makoto said.

“TOTALLY!” Ann cheered. “You look AMAZING!”

“He he,” Sumire laughed. “It’s really cute.”

“You look fantastic,” Ren said.

Lena giggled. “Thanks. What do you think Futaba?” She noticed Futaba hadn’t come out yet. “Futaba?”

“Ummmm,” Futaba muttered from inside the changing room. “Ren? Can you come in here?”

Ren got up and approached the door. She knocked. “You good?”

Futaba opened the door and grabbed Ren. “Get inside!” she said, dragging her in.

“WOAH!” Ren yelped. Futaba closed the door. It was a little cramped in there with the two of them. “What’s wrong Futaba?”

“I’m scared,” Futaba admitted.

“Scared?” Ren inquired.

“Yeah,” Futaba said. “I mean, I know I said this was perfect, but what if they don’t like it on me, and after all the trouble everyone went through, I just-”

Ren placed her hands on Futaba’s shoulders. “Futaba, listen.” Futaba nodded. “You look fantastic. And everyone else will think so too. So just relax.”

Futaba took a deep breath. “Thanks.”

Ren smiled. “No problem. Now, let’s get out of here.”

Futaba nodded and opened the door. Ren got out first, but she stepped to the left and used her arms as arrows to show off the outcoming Futaba. Futaba was stood stiff as she approached everyone else. She was wearing a yellow bikini with red polka dots, and a frill on the bottom half. “H-How do I look?”

“You look amazing,” Makoto said.

“EEEEE,” Ann squeed. “You look SO cute! I could eat you up!”

“You look really great in that,” Sumire said.

“I agree whole-heartedly,” Lena said. “It perfectly suits you.”

Futaba blushed and smiled. “Thanks.” Lena giggled. “You look good in your swimsuit too.”

“Hm hm, thanks,” Lena replied.

“Well then, let’s check out, and go eat,” Makoto instructed. Futaba and Lena nodded. They went back in to change back into their clothes. They bought their swimsuits and headed out.

When they arrived at the diner, they saw Ryuji, Jose, Yusuke, and Morgana at a table. “Hey!” Ryuji called out. The girls went to sit down with them.

“I have some bad news,” Yusuke said, alarming the girls. “You just missed the waitress.” The girls sighed, relieved it was just that

“Eh, it’ll be fine,” Ryuji said. “I got stuff for the whole table. Besides, she’ll be back soon.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Suire said. Her stomach growled. “Eh heh, sorry.”

“Come to think of it, you have a meet coming up, right?” Jose said. “Don’t you need to eat a lot?”

Sumire nodded. “That’s right,” Sumire said. “But it’s a little more complicated than that.”

Jose looked at Ren. “Maybe you should try cooking something for her on your next date.”

Ren and Sumire were flustered. “Where did this come from?” Ren wondered.

“Don’t ask,” Ryuji answered, exacerbated.

“Jose had been asking about Ryuji’s and Ann’s future date plans all day,” Yuuke informed them.

“W-WHAT?!” Ann said, now also flustered.

Jose nodded. “I think we landed on you taking control.”

“WHAT?!” Ann shrieked.

“Umm, you know what, let’s just keep our date plans between us,” Ryuji said, trying to pull out of this nosedive.

“Yeah…” Ann agreed nervously. “Right now, let’s just eat.”

“And celebrate that we’re one step closer to going to the beach,” Lena added.

“YEAH!” They all cheered. The waitress came back, and the girls ordered. Once they ate, they decided to split up for the day.

Ren was taking Futaba home, and had gotten Morgana back from Ryuji. “So, how did you feel about today Futaba?”

Futaba thought for a moment. “Better than expected.”

Ren smiled. She turned to Morgana. “And you?”

Morgana popped out. “My answer’s the same as Futaba’s.”

Ren smiled wider. “Glad to hear.” They escorted Futaba home.

Later that evening, Sojiro was watching TV, when Futaba peered through the doorway. Sojiroooo,” she called out.

Sojiro looked up. “What is it Futaba?”

She jumped into the room wearing her swimsuit. “Ta-da! What do you think?”

Sojiro was stunned. He smiled and said “It looks great Futaba.”

“Heh heh,” Futaba chuckled. “Thanks Sojiro.”

“Anytime,” Sojiro replied. Futaba went back to her room, while Sojiro went back to what he was watching.

Meanwhile, Ren got a message on her phone.

Chihaya: Do you want to help me again tonight?

Ren: Sure.

Ren: Just give me a second.

Chihaya: I texted you at the right time.

Chihaya: The next test will take a while to get here as well.

Ren: Sounds perfect.

Chihaya: I'm really interested to see how you do tonight.

Ren: Well, we’ll see when we get there.

A little while later, Ren arrived at Chihaya’s stand in Shinjuku. “Good. You’re here,” Chihaya said. “I hope you’re prepared.”

“I like to think I am,” Ren said. “I’ve dealt with a lot of crazy things, you know.”

“Hm,” Chihaya huffed. “Well let’s see your powers put to the test this time.” Ren sat down, ready for what was coming.

Later, a man came by. “Hello there, Mifune-chan.”

“Hello,” Chihaya greeted.

The man took notice of Ren. “I see she’s here.”

“Um, you know about her?” Chihaya asked.

The man nodded. “I’ve only heard from a few people, but it sounds like she’s a good influence. And boy could I use it.”

“What seems to be the trouble?” Chihaya asked.

“Well, I’m getting married soon,” the man said.

“Congratulations!” Chihaya said, excitedly. “Do you need help picking a date with the most good luck?” “Not quite,” the man said. “See, the girl I’m marrying, we’ve known each other since we were kids.

“That’s adorable,” Chihaya interjected.

“However, my boss wants me to marry the daughter of the boss of a company that we’re going to merge with,” the man explained. “To make sure it goes smoother.”

“Oh…” Chihaya said, dejected.

“So, I need to know: Should I follow my heart, or obey my boss?” the man asked.

“Hmm,” Chihaya pondered. “Well, let’s look at the cards.” She did a reading. “Hmmm,” she groaned, disappointed.

“That doesn’t sound good,” the man said.

“The cards say that following your heart will lead to nothing but misfortune,” Chihaya said. The man grumbled. “I’m sorry.”

He looked up at Ren. “What about you?” Ren was surprised. “Do you believe the cards?”

“Not always…” Ren said.

“Well, what can you do to help me defy the cards?” the man asked.

“I’d like to know the answer myself,” Chihaya said.

Ren thought about it for a second. “Hmmm. If you don’t marry your fiance, thieves might take her away.”

“What?” Chihaya said, blankly.

The man gasped. “Of course! You’re absolutely right!”

“She is?” Chihaya wondered.

“She’s really amazing!’ the man explained. “My fiance, that is. Any man would be lucky to have her. But she’s mine! And I won’t let anyone else have her.” The man got up and bowed. “Thank you. I don’t even know why I came here in the first place.”

“Eh heh,” Ren chuckled. “Well, we all have our moments of doubt.”

“You’re right,” the man said. “This girl’s amazing,” he said to Chihaya. “You should kep her around.”

Chihaya was frozen for a second. She then smiled, nodded, and said “I plan on it. Thank you.”

“Well, seeya around,” the man said, as he walked away.

Ren looked at Chihaya eagerly. Chihaya pouted. “Fine.” She read his cards again. “I…I don’t believe it. The cards show nothing but happiness.”

“Hm hm,” Ren laughed. “Now those are results I believe in.”

“Hm,” Chihaya pondered. “Once might be a fluke, twice could be really lucky,” she looked at Ren, “but a third time…you must have something truly special.”

“I must, if you’re starting to believe,” Ren replied.

“True,” Chihaya agreed. She looked at Ren. “I sense a lot of trouble within you, and yet you also revel in helping others with their trouble.”

Ren smiled. “It’s because of that trouble within that allows me to help others.”

Chihaya realized something. “Hm. I see.”

“If I may,” Ren said. “I also sense the same thing in you.”

Chihaya was surprised. She smiled. “Hm. You may be even better than I had anticipated.”

“But therein lies the fun, right?” Ren asked.

“Well, yes,” Chihaya said. “But more importantly, hope. I feel that by helping each other, we’ll be this much closer to helping ourselves with what ails us. That might sound a little selfish…”

“I don’t think so,” Ren said. “I think selfish is when you only help yourself and expect others to help you too.”

Chihaya nodded. “You’re right.” She checked the time. “It’s getting late, but I think we should continue this chat later.”

Ren smiled. “I agree.”

Chihaya smiled brightly. “I can’t wait until our next meeting.”

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 3

“Well, seeya later then,” Ren said, as she waved goodbye.

“Seeya!” Chiaya replied. Ren left the stand, and took the train home. It was an eventful day, but she couldn’t deny it was fun.

Notes:

Boy, did I do a lot this chapter. But I think the variety in what I did made it all the more fun and interesting. Figuring out how to translate things into a more narrative focused medium while also accounting for the changes this universe would have is, well, fun and interesting. I think adding more to some of the confidants makes sense. Like with Chihaya 3 here. IIRC, there wasn't that much to go off of, so getting more out of that makes sense to me. But also, taking Futaba shopping was fun too. It makes sense because Ren is with her this time, so she'd be a littl more confortable. And while she's still anxious, it works. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 124: The Puzzle of Life

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next morning to the sound of rain falling against her window pane. Following that was a yawn from Morgana, and then an alert on her phone. She grabbed it to see what was up.

Ann: It’s raining :(

Ann: We can’t go to the beach today.

Futaba: Still wouldn’t be ready.

Lena: Really?

Futaba: Almost there though.

Makoto: What else do we need to do?

Jose: I have an idea.

Yusuke: Go on.

Jose: Well, Futaba got to hang out with all the girls yesterday.

Jose: So, why don’t us boys come by and spend some time with her?

Makoto: Not a bad idea actually.

Futaba: I’m game.

Futaba: Ren will have to join us though.

Jose: That’s fine.

Sumire: I think if we’re not doing it today, then the only other option would be the day after tomorrow.

Ren: Why not tomorrow?

Sumire: Well, my meet is Tuesday, and Coach wants me to train real hard.

Sumire: She offers these intense Sunday training sessions, and I feel like the only way I’m getting any time off from training would be to do that.

Ren: I see.

Sumire: Unless you want to do it on the last day of summer.

Yusuke: I feel like the beach would be more crowded then.

Futaba: Tuesday’s fine then.

Ann: Yay!

Lena: Can’t wait!

Yusuke: We’ll grab Ryuji later today and come over then.

Jose: What should we do though?

Yusuke: Raining does limit our options.

Ren: Why not just eat at Leblanc?

Yusuke: I’m always down for any option that involves food.

Yusuke: I’m still relishing in yesterday’s meal.

Makoto: Are you alright Yusuke?

Yusuke: Relatively speaking, yes.

Makoto: I’ll take your word for it.

Futaba: I think I’m ready too.

Futaba: After yesterday, I should be ready.

Ren: See you then.

She stretched. “What’s up?” Morgana asked.

“Well, Jose, Yusuke, and Ryuji are coming over today for lunch at Leblanc,” she answered.

“How come?”

“It’s part of Futaba’s training. She spent all of yesterday with us girls. Jose suggested getting to know the guys better.”

“I see,” Morgana said. They got up and got ready for the day.

Futaba stopped by after they had breakfast. Ren looked at her. “You’re here a little early.”

“Well,” Futaba said nervously. “Before they come over, I kind of want to finish the video game I started.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

“Do you not have the game at home?” Sojiro asked.

“I do,” Futaba answered. “But it’s a mental thing, you know?”

“Yeah,” Sojir said. “Your mother was kind of the same way. Not necessarily about video games, but she told me that working in certain places yields better results.” Futaba was stunned. Sojiro noticed this. “Futaba?” he said with concern. “Are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Futaba answered. “I’m just…I’m just grateful that I take after my mom in some way.”

Sojiro smiled. “Trust me, you’re your mother’s daughter through and through.”

“Really?” Futaba asked.

“100%,” Sojiro answered.

Futaba smiled and blushed. “Thanks Sojiro.” They sat there to appreciate the moment. Futaba turned to Ren. “Well, let’s get going. We don’t want to disturb the customers, do we?”

Ren smiled. “We sure don’t.” The two of them headed upstairs.

As Futaba was playing Featherman Seeker, she was getting really into it. “Woah!” Morgana said, amazed at Futaba’s skill. “You’re really good.”

“Heh heh,” Futaba said. “Well this is one of my favorite games.

“So,” Ren asked, “Why do you like Featherman so much?” Futaba looked up at her confused. “I mean, I like it too, but I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone as into it as you.”

“Well, a lot of people are,” Futaba said. “But…” she sighed. “I guess I do have more of a personal reason.”

“Do you want to tell me?” Ren asked.

“I’d be interested to know as well,” Morgana said.

“Well…I just like that it’s always there, you know?” Futaba answered solemnly. “When I did go to school, I wasn’t very popular, so I didn’t have many friends. Mom was busy a lot too.” She smiled. “But I could always count on Featherman to be there for me. Featherman gave me home when nothing else did. But, I guess it sounds stupid.”

Ren shook her head. “It doesn’t sound stupid. I mean, I’ve felt alone before. Needing to take any solace you can. I get it.”

Futaba understood the pain in Ren’s voice. She nodded. “Well, ever since we’ve been doing this stuff, I’ve been feeling better.”

Ren smiled back. “I’ve felt the same after coming to Tokyo and making friends here.” Futaba’s smile widened. She went back to playing the video game, while Ren and Morgana watched.

A little later, Futaba was on the cusp of beating the game. “Almost…and…BOOM!”

Ren smiled. “Well done Futaba.”

“Eh heh,” Futaba chuckled. Morgana was looking intently at the screen. He smiled. Futaba looked down. “What’s gotten into you?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Morgana said. “I’m just moved is all. Pigeon was created to be evil, but his sense of justice pulled through in the end.”

“Yeah,” Futaba said. “It’s a really reall regarded video game. Among video gme enthusiasts, Featherman diehards, and casuals alike.”

“I can see why,” Ren replied. “This looked really complex and advanced for the time.”

Futaba nodded. “A lot of game developers cite this as one of the games that inspired them to get into developing games.”

“Fascinating,” Morgana replied.

“REN! FUTABA!” Sojiro called out. “YOUR FRIENDS ARE HERE!”

“Perfect timing,” Ren said. “Shall we head down?” Futaba and Morgana nodded. Futaba started heading down, but Ren blocked Morgana. “Hold on. Get in the bag, just in case other customers come in.”

Morgana pouted, but realized that Ren was right to worry. “Fine.” Morgana hopped in Ren’s bag and they followed Futaba down the stairs.

When they got there, they were face to face with Yusuke, Jose, and Ryuji. “Hello,” Jose greeted.

“Hi,” Yusuke said.

“So, you want us to hang out with Futaba?” Ryuji said.

“Petty much,” Ren said.

“Alright then,” Ryuji said. “Chillin’ here’s pretty cool. Especially on a day like today.” They sat down. Ren and Futaba sat down on one side of the booth with Ren placing her bag between them, and Yusuke, Jose, and Ryuji sat on the other side of the booth. “So… What do we do?”

“Well, getting food is always an option,” Yusuke replied.

“I know that!” Ryuji replied. “But what else?”

“We can talk,” Jose said.

“Right…but about what?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well, I’m sure Futaba might have something she wants to talk about,” Ren said.

“M-Me?!” Futaba said, surprised.

Ren nodded at her. “We are here for you right now.”

“Oh…yeah,” Futaba replied. Futaba was flustered for a moment before she asked “So…what's school like for you?”

“Huh?” Ryuji.

“Well, it’s been a while since I’ve been,” Futaba said. “I want to see if it changed.”

“Oh, I see,” Ryuji said.

“Well, I’m basically a stowaway at school,” Morgana said. “So I might not be that helpful here.”

“Forgive me,” Yusuke said. “I might not have the perspective you’re looking for either. The school Jose and I go to isn’t a traditional school.”

“We go to Kosei, which is an art school,” Jose added. “And I might not have the answers you’re looking for as well, because I’m technically a prodigy.”

“Oh…” Futaba said, disappointed.

“Well, I’m sure some stuff translates,” Ren replied. “Like, how are things socially with you two?”

“Oh that,” Yusuke said. “Well, I tend to keep a low profile, so I don’t talk to many fellow students.”

“I don’t think that’s what’s happening Yusuke,” Jose said. “I’ve definitely seen people kind of avoiding you.”

“Really?” Yusuke said, shocked by this revelation. “How come?”

“I’m not entirely sure,” Jose said. “I don’t fully understand humans yet. But from what I can gather, it’s because you’re …’different’.”

“Urgh,” Futaba bemoaned. “So school really hasn’t changed.”

“Well, maybe not,” Ryuji jumped in. “But I don’t think it’s all bad. I mean, as shitty as it can be, I’ve had some good times too. So it’s kind of a mixed bag.”

“Oh?” Futaba said, intrigued.

“And quite personally, I don’t think I’d be interested in the people avoiding me because I’m different,” Yusuke said. “I’d much rather be alone than with people who would think to judge me.”

“Well, it’s not all bad, I don’t think,” Jose added. “Some of it is a bit of intimidation.”

“Huh,” Futaba reacted. “I think I get why.”

“And what’s THAT supposed to mean?” Yusuke asked, insulted.

“Well,” Ren replied, “you did kind of rearrange her figures…”

“Without asking too,” Futaba added.

“How did this go from sympathetic to antagonistic?” Yusuke wondered.

“Welcome to the club,” Ryuji said.

“Well, rearranging her figures did get Futaba to open up though, didn’t it?” Jose wondered.

“Well, that’s true...” Futaba said.

Ren stepped in. “Maybe you should have asked first. She probably would have opened up either way.”

“That’s true too,” Futaba agreed, bouncing back.

“Hrgh!” Yusuke recoiled. “...I’m sorry.”

“Woah!” Futaba said. “Well…you didn’t damage them…so I guess I can forgive you.”

Yusuke smiled. “Thank you. I am in your debt.”

“Woah! Kind of going a little over the top there,” Futaba replied.

“Nah, that’s just Yusuke being Yusuke,” Ryuji said.

“Par for the course, really,” Ren added.

“It’s something you have to get used to,” Morgana said.

“But it’s just part of what makes Yusuke Yusuke,” Jose said.

“Et tu, Jose?” Yusuke said.

“Ahem,” Sojiro said, interjecting. Everyone looked at him. “Are you kids going to order something?”

“Oh, of course,” Yusuke said. “Forgive us.”

“...It’s fine,” Sojiro replied. “Now, what’ll it be?”

“Wel, since I didn’t have much of a breakfast,” Yusuke stated, “I’ll have a large omelet with rice, and a coffee to drink.”

“I’ll take the same,” Ryuji said. “Except I want a cola.”

“Me too,” Futaba said. “Your omelets are second to none.”

“Really?” Ren said. “I don’t think I’ve had them.”

“Me either,” Jose said.

“I take it you want to copy their order,” Sojiro said.

“Sounds like a plan,” Ren said.

“But maybe make mine a medium,” Jose said. “I don’t know if I can eat a large helping.”

“Fair,” Sojiro said.

“Hold up, I want some too,” Morgana said.

Ren smiled. “Could Morgana get a helping as well?”

“Can cats even eat eggs?” Sojiro asked.

“I am NOT a cat,” Morgana protested.

“Well, you have the body of a cat,” Ryuji countered. “As stubborn as you are, I don’t want you dying because you ate something you couldn’t handle.”

“Mmmmm,” Morgana groaned.

“Cats can eat cooked eggs, just not raw eggs,” Futaba said.

“Well, I don’t think you’d lie,” Sojiro said. “Although, I think I’ll make his special.” He left to go cook a bunch of omelets and rice.

“Well, I guess I can sort of eat like a human,” Morgana bemoaned.

“I’d take this as a victory, dude,” Ryuji said.

“I mean, people aren’t supposed to eat raw eggs either,” Ren noted.

“Really?” Ryuji wondered.

Futaba nodded. “You could get really sick.”

“Huh,” Ryuji reacted. “Maybe I should tell the guys that now that the track team is coming back.”

“Do you want to do that while we wait for our food?” Yusuke asked

“Do you mind?” Ryuji replied. They shook their heads. “Thanks.” He sent them a text. “And sent. Alright. Good to know.”

“Well, since we’re trying to get more acquainted with each other, I have a question I’ve been meaning to ask,” Morgana said. “Jose.” Jose became alert. “From one metaverse denizen to another, what’s it like to have a human body, but not actually be human?”

“You know, now that you mention it…” Yusuke said.

“I’m kind of wondering myself,” Ryuji finished.

Jose paused for a moment.”Well…it’s a bit complicated…but the long and short of it is that it’s puzzling. Because there are a lot of things I understand and do in a human fashion, and yet there are times where I can’t understand humans for the life of me. If you want my opinion, I think you may have the better deal, since you can just be yourself.”

“Wanna trade then?” Morgana offered.

“Now now, you’re both perfect just the way you are,” Yusuke said.

“He’s right,” Ryuji agreed. “Um, what’s that saying? About grass and, uh, spaces?”

“I think you mean ‘the grass is always greener on the other side’,” Ren said.

“Yeah! That,” Ryuji said.

“What does that mean?” Jose wondered.

“It means that you see someone else’s circumstances as being better than your own,” Yusuke explained. “Not taking into account their hardships and only seeing the positives.”

“Although sometimes that may be true…” Futaba lamented.

Ren placed a hand on her shoulder. “We’re getting there. I used to think a lot like that too.”

Futaba smiled. “Thanks.”

“Order up!” Sojiro said, bringing everyone their omelets. “I’ll be back with your drinks.”

“Thanks Boss,” Ryuji said.

“Hm,” Sojiro grinned. “I should be the one thanking you,” he muttered.

“What was that?” Ryuji asked.

“Nothing,” Sojiro said. “I’m just getting your drinks.”

“Thanks,” Ryuji said. Sojiro got them their drinks, and they ate their lunch.

Once they finished, Morgana said “That was AMAZING!”

Ren chuckled. “I wasn’t sure if you’d like it. Eggs are one of those love it or hate it kind of foods.”

“Well, I don’t usually eat them,” Futaba said. “Most of the time, they taste weird to me. But some people make them really good, and Sojiro is the best of the best.”

“Aw, you’re just saying that,” Sojiro said.

“It’s true!” Futaba replied.

“Well, I’ll agree that the eggs were delicious,” Yusuke said.

“Same,” Ryuji said. “I’m still a little hungry though. Does this place have any appetizers?”

“I’d like to know too,” Yusuke said.

“Well, we have some gyoza and rice balls,” Futaba informed them.

“Oo, that sounds delicious,” Ren said. “BOSS!”

“I gotcha,” Sojiro said.

“How are you still hungry?!” Morgana asked.

“Yeah,” Jose chimed in. “I didn’t even eat as much as you, and I feel like I’m at my limit.”

“I think it’s just cause we’re teenagers,” Ren explained.

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “Our bodies are changing rapidly, and we need to eat to keep up with such change.”

“But DAMN!” Ryuji said. “I didn’t expect you to DEMOLISH that plate Futaba.”

“Well, she was layed up for most of the summer,” Yusuke pointed out.

“Besides, she’s growing too,” Ren pointed out.

“Yeah, and I want to grow a LOT,” Futaba said. “I hope one day to take on the champion.”

“Um, what?” Ryuji said.

“Don’t ask,” Ren said firmly.

“Uhhh, OK, I guess…” Ryuji said.

“Still, it’s quite a pleasant change of pace,” Yusuke said. “I much prefer Futaba gorging herself over girls who don’t eat a lot.”

“You better not be hitting on me, Inari,” Futaba said.

“Why, how RUDE,” Yusuke replied.

“Sojiro! Help,” Futaba said, playfully.

“Hold on,” Sojiro said.

“But…” Yusuke protested.

Sojiro came by with the gyoza and rice balls. “Here you go.” Yusuke was relieved.

“Thanks,” the four teens said. They started digging in.

“This is insane,” Morgana said.

“Perhaps I just don’t understand this,” Jose said.

“Kid,” Sojiro said, “as someone who’s been through it already, I don’t understand it myself.”

“So truly, this is one of life’s many mysteries,” Jose remarked.

After they ate, Ren turned to Futaba and asked “How are you feeling?”

“MAN, I’m stuffed,” she answered.

“Me too,” Ryuji said. “I gotta say Boss, you make some real kick ass food.”

“Heh. Thanks,” Sojiro replied.

“Perhaps you could have your first date with Ann here,” Jose suggested.

“Oh, not this again,” Ryuji replied.

“Why are you so curious in the first place?” Yusuke asked.

“That’s a good question,” Morgana said.

“Well, since Ren said I couldn't spy on people going on a date,” Jose explained, “I want to get as much information as possible through other ways.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said.

“Thats…” Yusuke pondered.

“Eh heh,” Ren laughed nervously.

“Why did you want to spy on a date?” Futaba asked.

“Well, I’m here studying humans,” Jose said. “One of the more curious aspects of humanity I’ve seen are romantic relationships. It seems to be complicated, even though love is a feeling, much like joy or anger.”

“Hmmmm,” Futaba thought. “I think there are actual difficulties, but like everything else sometimes humans make it harder for themselves.”

“Ain’t that the truth,” Sojiro chimed in. They all looked at him. “Ah! Sorry.”

Ren smiled. “It’s OK, Boss.”

“I don’t mind you chiming in,” Jose said. “You have a lot of experience.”

Sojiro pouted. “Well, that’s true… But some of that experience is not something I think others should have.”

“Well, that just makes me want to have them more,” Ryuji said.

“You really don’t,” Sojiro said, dead serious.

“Pst,” Ren whispered. Ryuji looked at her. She gently gestured towards Futaba.

Ryuji understood. “Ahhhhh.”

“I will say though, this has been one of the more lively lunches we’ve had,” Sojiro said.

Futaba nodded. “I wouldn’t mind doing something like this again.”

“So, you ready for the beach?” Ryuji asked.

“I think…so…” Futaba admitted.

“Oh, but we have to wait a day,” Jose said.

“How come?” Ryuji asked.

“Did you not see the group message?” Yusuke asked.

“I was barely up by the time you got to my house,” Ryuji answered.

“Sumire will be busy tomorrow,” Ren explained. “But the following day should be good.”

“I see,” Ryuji said.

“Anyways, here’s the bill,” Sojiro said.

“Huh?” Ryuji replied, surprised.

“Hm hm,” Ren giggled. “I’ll take care of it.”

“You have my thanks,” Yusuke said.

“Same,” Ryuji said.

“Mine too,” Jose said. Ren took care of the bill, and Ryuji, Yusuke, and Jose left.

Later that evening, Ren received a message.

Hifumi: Excuse me.

Hifumi: Would you mind accompanying me tonight?

Ren: Sure.

Hifumi: Thank you.

Hifumi: Meet me at the church as usual.

Ren headed out for the church.

Once she arrived, Hifumi greeted her. “Thank you for coming to assist me.”

“Of course,” Ren said. She looked down at the pew. “Uh, the board isn’t set up…”

“Forgive me,” Hifumi said. “We aren’t practicing tonight.” Ren was confused. “I wanted to run an errand, but I didn’t want to be alone. And I thought that since we were friends…”

Ren smirked. “You don’t need to apologize.”

“Are you sure?” Hifumi responded, shocked.

Ren nodded. “So, where are we going?”

“Oh,” Hifumi said. “We’re looking for shogi books in Jinbocho.”

“Huh. Sounds cool,” Ren said. “Let’s go.” Hifumi nodded, and the two headed out.

In Jinbocho, Hifumi took Ren on a brief tour of the book stores searching for Shogi books. “This place has books on all sorts of things. I enjoy coming here because I can find things I wouldn’t be able to find otherwise.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

“Well, since a lot of these shops are second hand, there are some old books here that are otherwise lost to time,” Hifumi.

“I see,” Ren said.

Hifumi sighed. “You know, sometimes I feel like these books.”

“Oh?” Ren inquired.

“You might be able to tell,” Hifui began, “but I’m not the most social person. Most girls my age don’t share my interest in shogi. But when I’m playing, or even when I’m in the spotlight, people take interest. Like these books, I’m only used when needed, and otherwise forgotten about.”

“Hm,” Ren reacted.

“Even then…” Hifumi continued musing.

“Togo-san?” a voice said. The two girls turned to look at another woman. “I thought that was you.”

“Ah,” Hifumi said. She bowed to the woman. “Good evening.”

“Right,” the woman said back. “What are you doing out here?” “I’m out looking for shogi books with my friend,” Hifui said. “I assume you’re doing the same?”

“Yeah…” the woman said. Ren could tell there was a bitterness in her attitude. “Well, you two have fun.” She left.

Hifumi sighed. “She’s my senior in shogi. I recently won against her in a title match.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

Hifumi frowned. “I feel similarly isolated in the shogi world too. Most of the people I play against are older than I am. Because I’m a prodigy, they only see me as a competitor, and not so much a person. Sometimes, I wish I could just live, but I love shogi too much to just live, you know.”

“I…think so,” Ren said, trying to assure her. “As much as I understand it though, I think there’s a strength in being available only when needed.” Hifumi gave her a look. “You know I only just moved to Tokyo. Before, I lived in a small town. Practically every student at the school knew each other. And when they paint a target on your back, well, it’s not fun to say the least…”

Hifumi was stunned. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s…I want to say fine, but, well…” Ren offered back. “But since coming here, I’ve felt myself being able to relax more, and part of that is not having to be focused on by a lot of people for most of the day.”

“You’re right,” Hifumi said. “Illusion is key in shogi too. You think your opponent is doing one thing, and then they surprise you with the next thing. Being able to hide in the shadows has its perks too. Much like the Phantom Thieves, wouldn’t you say?”

“Eh heh,” Ren chuckled. “You’re getting it.”

“But it can be a bit much sometimes too,” Hifumi said. “I mean, we practically had to wait until the deadline for the Phantom Thieves to deal with Medjed.”

Ren was surprised. “Well, uh, think about it from their perspective.”

“Huh?” Hifumi wondered.

“I mean, if we were nervous about how it came down to the wire, imagine how they felt,” Ren explained.

“Well, you have a point,” Hifumi said. “Shogi can be like that too. When the pressure is on, and your next move could decide everything, it’s rough. But  like the Phantom Thieves, I have shown tremendous grace under pressure.”

“I’d like to think I’ve been doing that too,” Ren said.

“You most certainly have,” Hifumi repsoned.

“Thanks,” Ren said.

“Still…” Hifumi lamented. “I’d like to do more with others from time to time…”

Ren noticed the look of solace on Hifumi’s face. “Say,” she introduced. Hifumi looked at her. “Remember that gymnastics meet we went to?” Hifumi nodded. “Well, another one is coming up on Tuesday. You wanna come with?”

“Oh, of course,” Hifumi said. “That was really fun. I’d be glad to join you. Your friend is really talented.”

Ren smirked. “You wanna know something?” Hifumi nodded again. “She’s not my friend.” Hifumi was confused. Ren giggled. “She’s my girlfriend.”

Hifumi was shocked again. “I see. You’re just full of surprises, aren’t you?”

“Much like these book stores,” Ren said.

“Heh heh,” Hifumi chuckled. “Thanks. I’m glad you accompanied me tonight.”

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 4

They continued looking for shogi books, and then headed home for the night.

Notes:

That bit about cats being able to eat cooked eggs but not raw eggs is true, according to the brief amount of research I did. Although I'd reccomend double checking that before you do anything, just to be safe.

Anyway, we're coming to the end of the Futaba arc. Even now, I'm trying to figure out how to arrange things. I think I have a good idea of what's next up to the Hawaii trip. I mean, I know what's happening beyond that, but I still have yet to nail down specific details.

I am excited for the Okumura arc though, and I hope you are too. As I've been saying, things will heat up considerably from here. Not to say that this hasn't been interesting, it has. There's so much I'm excited for, but I should stop talking now so as not to ruin the surprise.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 125: Broken Mirrors

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sunday morning, and Ren headed downstairs for breakfast. She was slightly surprised to see Futaba sitting at the counter, but it was a pleasant surprise. “Mornin’,” she greeted.

Ren smiled. “Morning,” Ren replied. She sat down.

“I’ll have your breakfast ready in a minute,” Sojiro said.

“Thanks,” Ren replied. She took a seat next to Futaba.

“By the way,” Sojiro said, “since you’re going to the beach tomorrow, I figured you and Futaba could help out here again today.”

“I think it’d be helpful too,” Futaba said. “You can never be too prepared, you know.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Sounds like a plan then.”

“Heh,” Sojiro chuckled. “I’m just glad you get to do something just for fun this summer. I think you deserve it after getting rained out.”

“Huh?” Futaba wondered.

“Oh right, you don’t know about that,” Sojiro said. “They were supposed to go to a fireworks festival, but it got rained out.”

“Fireworks…” Futaba muttered.

Sojiro gave the girls their breakfasts. “Here you go.”

“Thanks Sojiro!” they said in unison. They began eating.

When they started working, it went smoother than it had on Thursday. Futaba was more used to the customers. Although that’s not to say that she wasn’t awkward, she was, but it was more toned down.

A little later, when a customer left, Sojiro turned to Ren and Futaba and said “I need to go restock on a few things. You two think you can hold the fort down while I’m gone?”

“Yes sir,” Ren said while Futaba nodded.

“Good,” Sojiro said. “Later.” He left Leblanc.

Ren looked at Futaba. “Wanna clean up a little?”

“Sure,” Futaba said. “No problem.” The two of them cleaned up a little bit. Once they finished up, Ren went on dishes. While she was doing dishes, they heard the door chime. “That must be Sojiro,” Futaba said. She walked out “Welcome baaaaaaa…”

It wasn’t Sojiro, however. It was Akechi. “Um, hello?”

“EEP!” Futaba yelped. She went and hid behind the counter.

Ren went to check everything out, and was surprised to see Akechi, but pieced together what was happening. “Eh heh,” she let out.

“Is…everything alright?” Akechi asked.

“It’s…complicated…” Ren said. She turned to Futaba. “It’s fine. We’re friends.”

“Uhhhhhh,” Futaba groaned. She came out and stood next to Ren.

“Hmmm,” Akechi observed. “I see what you mean by ‘it’s complicated’.”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

Akechi smiled. “Well, I don’t wish to pry,” he said. “I’m just here for some coffee and a place to think.” He sat at the counter.

Ren smiled. “Coming right up.” She went to fix him some coffee, while Futaba followed her behind the counter.

Once Ren gave it to him, he said “Thanks.”

Ren nodded. She then looked around casually. “So, what are you thinking about?”

“Hm, I’d be impressed if you didn’t know,” Akechi responded.

“That can only mean the Phantom Thieves,” Ren replied. She chuckled.

“You’re quite right,” Akechi said. “This Medjed fiasco is probably their biggest outing yet. I mean, I guess after taking down Kaneshiro, a lot of people were eager to see their next big thing. And with their success here, I believe more people will be excited.”

“Well, you know I’m rooting for them still,” Ren said.

“However,” Akechi said, shifting his tone, “I think this confirms a theory I’ve had for a little while: The Phantom Thieves are gaining new members.”

Ren and Futaba were surprised, but held in their knowledge. “What makes you say that?”

“Well, let’s start from the Madarame incident,” Akechi said. “During this incident, a new calling card design was presented. This made me think that the Phantom Thieves recruited someone who was skilled at art.”

“I see,” Ren replied.

“Of course, I couldn’t be certain,” Akechi said. “There could be a few explanations for the change in card design. However, the fact that The Phantom Thieves managed to outhack hack not just Medjed, but this ‘Original Medjed’ as well could only mean that they got someone to match their skill.”

“Interesting,” Ren said. “But what makes you think that skill wasn’t there all along?”

“Well, I admit it’s still a hunch,” Akechi said. “But any other scenario seems a little implausible at best.”

“I guess that’s a fair assessment,” Ren said.

“Still, if I’m correct, that just makes the Phantom Thieves’ position even stronger,” Akechi admitted.

“Well, I don’t know about that,” Ren replied. “I mean, they’re still wanted, right? And even if they have more members than at the start, I don’t think they’d outnumber the government.”

“Perhaps,” Akechi said. “But numbers aren’t everything. As you may know, the government has been in turmoil recently, with ministers resigning left and right. Some of this is due to the series of mental shutdowns, as well as The Phantom Thieves slowly becoming a group people trust more and more each day.

While they do wish to solve these issues, they can’t devote their whole time to it, especially with them falling apart at the seams. As of now, there’s only one office devoting full time to the Phantom Thieves, and I am part of that investigation.”

“I see,” Ren said.

Akechi smiled. “But enough about my worries.” He looked at Futaba. “Might I ask about your situation?”

Futaba looked up at Ren, who was looking back at her. “Do you want to?” Ren asked.

Futaba paused. “You two seem friendly. Despite that interview.”

“Hm, Ackechi said. “Things aren’t always as they seem.”

“He and I actually get along fairly well,” Ren explained.

Futaba nodded, looked at Akechi, and said “My name is Futaba Sakura.” Akechi gave a confused look. Futaba backed down. “You think I’m weird…”

“Huh? Oh, no. Sorry,” Akechi said. “It’s just the names ‘Futaba’ and ‘Sakura’ have tickled something in the back of my mind. But I can’t piece it together.”

The door opened. “Alright, I’m back,” Sojiro said, carrying his haul. He noticed Akechi was there. “Oh. Hi.”

“Hello sir,” Akechi said.

“Sorry,” Sojiro said. “I didn’t expect anyone else, let alone you.”

“It’s quite alright,” Akechi said.

Sojiro turned to Futaba. “Are you doing alright? He’s not bothering you, is he?”

“I’m…I’m doing just fine, Sojiro,” Futaba replied.

Sojiro nodded and smiled. “That’s all I need to hear.”

“Wiat…Sojiro…Sakura?” Akechi wondered.

“Uh, yeah?” Sojiro answered.

“There it is,” Akechi exclaimed.

“What are you talking about?” Sojiro asked.

“Well, when Futaba was introducing herself, I felt some level of familiarity with her,” Akechi explained. “But now that I know your name, I put it all together.”

“And what did you put together?” Sojiro asked.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but you received a visit from prosecutor Sae Niijima somewhat recently, correct?” Akechi asked back. Sojiro was surprised. “I’ll take that as a ‘yes’. She’s in charge of the Phantom Thieves investigation, as well as the mental shut-down cases, and believed you had something that could help said investigation.”

Sojiro got stern. “So, you are working with her.”

“Ah ha,” Akechi laughed nervously. “Forgive me, but I know that tone. I’m well aware that Sae can, to put it delicately, come off a bit too strong.”

“You don’t say,” Sojiro said.

“I try to help, but I’m afraid she doesn’t listen to me,” Akechi said. “She doesn’t listen to many people these days. To be honest, I’m a little worried. But then again, she’s also worried about me, so it evens out.”

“What does she have to worry about you for?” Futaba wondered.

Everyone was a little surprised. Akechi turned to her and said “Good question. Unfortunately, that’s a secret.”

“WHAT?!” Futaba screeched back. “No fair!”

“Sorry, but them’s the breaks,” Akechi replied. “Although, to throw you a bone, if you were to ask Ren, you might be able to gain some information. Why, I feel she might know just about as much as Sae does.”

Ren was confused. “Really?”

Akechi nodded. “Like I’ve told you before, I don’t like discussing my private life for various reasons. If Sae does know more, it’s just because I’ve known her longer.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Well…” Futaba said, slightly nervously. “Whatever she’s worried about with you, I hope you can overcome it.”

Akechi smiled. “Why thank you. I hope you can get past your complications as well.”

Futaba nodded. “Thanks.”

Akechi finished his coffee. “Well, I should get going. As much as I’d like to spen all day here, I’ve got places to be. But thanks for the meal and the chatter.”

“You’re welcome,” Ren said. Akechi nodded and left.

“Well…that was something…” Sojiro said.

“How did I do?” Futaba asked.

Ren tousled Futaba’s hair. “You did good.”

“Yes!” Futaba said, excitedly. “I know I’ll be ready for the beach tomorrow!” Sojiro smiled.

As Leblanc was closing, Futaba walked up to Ren and Sojiro and said “I’m going to go out for a sec. I’ll be back.” Before either of them could say anything, Futaba turned around and left Leblanc.

Sojiro turned to Ren. “Where do you suppose she’s going?”

Ren shrugged.”I’m sure she’ll be alright. I mean, I don’t expect her to go somewhere she’s not ready for.”

“Perhaps you’re right,” Sojiro said. “I just can’t help but worry, you know.” The door chime rang. “That’s probably her now.” They turned to not see Futaba, but Sumire. “Oh!”

Sumire made her way over to one of the booths and slumped over. “Hey…” she muttered.

Ren sat across from her. “Are…you alright?”

“Relatively speaking…” Sumire said. “I told you about coach’s really intense Sunday sessions, right?”

“Right,” Ren replied. “So, why come here?”

“Well…I’m hungry…and I wanted to be with you…” Sumire answered.

Ren blushed. “Right…”

“Ahem,” Sojiro said, getting the girls’ attention. “Is there anything specific I can get you?”

Sumire sat up. “I’ll take your biggest plate of curry, and some lemonade to go with that.”

“Gotcha,” Sojiro said.

He started heading back when Ren grabbed onto him. “Hey.” Sojiro looked at her. “She means it.” Sojiro nodded and went to the kitchen.

“So,” Sumire inquired, “how are you doing?”

“Oh, I’m doing alright,” Ren said. “How about you? You think you'll be fine enough to go to the beach tomorrow?”

“Totally,” Sumire responded. “But, um, there’s something I’ve been meaning to ask you.” Ren got a little worried. “You know I’m training to become a full-time gymnast. Well, that's going to involve a lot of training. And I feel like once we’ve defeated Eris and this whole Phantom Thieves thing is over, I might see you less due to all the training. I mean, I still want us to go out, but…it might be hard, you know… I mean… ugh!” She slammed her head on the table.

Ren smiled. She took Sumire’s hand. “Hey,” Sumire looked up. “It’s alright. Your dedication, your energy, your willingness, they’re all part of the reason I fell for you in the first place. How can I hate that which I love?”

Sumire blushed. “Senpai!”

Ren continued “Sure, we might be apart more than the average couple, but we will always have each other. Besides, I’ve been without you my whole life until we met, and I don’t want to do that again.”

Sumire smiled. “Senpai…”

The door opened. “Alright! Firework time!” Futaba shouted, holding two bags full of fireworks.. She noticed Ren and Sumire sitting at a booth. “Oh…”

Sojiro looked out. “Oh. You were out getting fireworks?”

“Well,” Futaba said, nervously, “you told me they got rained out of their fireworks festival, so I wanted to make it up… But…”

Sojiro smiled. “It’s OK. How about we do it after dinner? I’m making a LOT of curry.”

“Oh. Who else is joining us?” Futaba asked.

“It’s just us,” Ren explained.

“I’m really hungry,” Sumire explained.

“I see,” Futaba said. Futaba set the fireworks down on the counter and then sat next to Ren.

“Hi,” Ren said.

“Hi,” Futaba replied.

“So,” Sumire interjected, “how has this week been treating you Futaba?”

“Oh, uh, it’s been going pretty well,” Futaba said. “I think.”

“Well that’s nice to hear,” Sumire said. “Sorry I wasn’t there for a lot of it.”

“Eh, you’re good,” Futaba said. “I mean, you’re here now, right?”

Sumire smiled. “Right.”

“So, um, do you mind, I, uh, ask you some questions?” Futaba stumbled.

“Of course,” Sumire said.

“Wel, um, you two are dating, right?” Futaba continued.

“Um yeah…” Sumire said.

“Well, um, I guess what I’m asking is, how did you know?” Futaba asked. “That you wanted to date each other?”

Sumire and Ren were a little surprised. “Futaba,” Ren asked. “Is there someone that you like?”

“NO!” Futaba countered. “But, I mean, if I do find someone I like…I mean, I want to know how to deal with it, you know?”

“Oh,” Ren replied. “Well then, I’m out.”

“Huh?” Futaba said.

“Oh, don’t be like that,” Sumire said.

“But it’s true,” Ren said. “You had to ask me out. I was ready to never say anything.”

“Well, I mean, I was scared too,” Sumire said.

“Yeah, but you did it anyway,” Ren replied. “I’m just a coward.”

“Well, you’ve been getting so much braver since we started going out,” Sumire comforted. “Besides, you’re brave in other aspects, which is part of the reason I fell for you in the first place.” Ren blushed.

“So,” Futaba interrupted, “when DID you start falling for each other?”

Ren and Sumire were a little surprised. “Well,” Ren began. “Hmmmm.”

“It’s kind of complicated,” Sumire explained. “For a little while, I was pretending to be my sister. She, uh, died saving my life, and I kind of spiraled into a depression.”

“Oh,” Futaba said. “I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s fine,” Sumire said. “Well, I mean, you know… I mean, I got a front row seat to your trauma, so I know you don’t mean anything bad.”

“Right…” Futaba said.

“I will say,” Sumire said, “with everyone’s help, I’m in a much better place than I was then. And I’m sure the same will apply to you as well.”

Futaba smiled back. “Ren’s right.” Sumire was surprised a bit. “You are really easy to get along with.” Sumire was relieved.

“See? You had nothing to worry about,” Ren said.

Sumire chuckled. “Well, I'm just as sure you’ll have nothing to worry about if she asks you for dating advice.” Ren looked away and blushed nervously.

“Alright, dinner’s ready,” Sojiro said.

He handed Ren and Futaba their plates. “Thanks Sojiro,” Futaba said.

“Thanks,” Ren said.

Sojiro left and came back with a giant plate for Sumire. “AAAAAAAAND here you go,” he said, setting it down.

“Thanks Sojiro,” Sumire said.

“I’m going to get myself a plate,” Sojiro said. “You mind if I sit next to you?”

“Not at all,” Sumire answered.

“Great,” Sojiro said. He went to get his plate.

“Woah!” Futaba said. “I’m impressed.

Sumire giggled “Well, gymnastics takes a lot out of you,”

“I see…” Futaba said. Sojiro came back, and the four of them started eating dinner.

Once they had finished, Sumire said “AH! That was delicious!”

“Hm. Glad you enjoy,” Sojiro said.

“Now can we set off fireworks?” Futaba asked.

“Yeah,” Sojiro said.

“WOO HOO!” Futaba said. She grabbed her fireworks and headed outside.

“Hold on,” Ren said. She headed upstairs. “Morgana.”

“What?” he asked.

“Futaba got us some fireworks,” Ren explained. “Wanna join us?”

“Sure, I guess,” Morgana said.

“Oh, Sumire’s also here,” Ren explained.

“I see,” Morgana said.

“Anyway, let’s go,” Ren said. She and Morgana went downstairs and outside.

Everyone noticed Morgana’s appearance. “Ah. I see,” Sojiro said.

“Hm hm. Welcome Morgana-senpai,” Sumire said.

“Are you ready to set these off?!” Futaba asked.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Morgana said

“Then leeeeeeeeeeeet’s GO!” Futaba said. She took out a bunch of sparklers. Ren and Sumire took one, while Futaba grabbed two for herself.

“Do you have a lighter Sojiro?” Ren asked.

“Yeah yeah, hold on,” Sojiro said, fishing through his pockets. “Here.” He tossed it to Ren.

Ren caught it. “Thanks.” She lit the fireworks. They were gazing at the sparklers they had set off.

“Heh heh,” Futaba laughed. She began spinning them around. “WOOOOOOOO!”

Morgana coughed. “Um, can you point those elsewhere?” he asked.

“Uh, I think the cat is getting nauseous,” Sojiro pointed out.

Ren nodded. “Can you take him, Sojiro?” she asked.

“Oh, uh, sure,” Sojiro said. He reached his arms out. “Come here.” Morgana groaned, but knew this would be more helpful. He jumped up. Sojiro cradled him and scratched his chin. “Better?”

“Nya!” Morgana said, happily. “Better.”

“Heh,” Sojiro chuckled.

Ren and Sumire were standing together looking at the sparklers they were holding. “You know,” Sumire said, “this might not be the big fireworks show we missed during the rainstorm, but I think this is just as good.”

“I disagree,” Ren said, surprising Sumire. She smiled. “I think this is better.”

Sumire smiled back. “Oh you.”

Ren looked at Sumire and chuckled. “Hm.” They shared a quick kiss, and went back to looking at the sparklers. They spent the rest of the evening lighting off more fireworks before Sumire had to go back home.

After she left, Sojiro took Futaba home, and Ren took Morgana upstairs to their room. After she got changed into her pajamas, she climbed into bed and asked “So, are you ready for the beach tomorrow?”

Morgana smiled. “Yeah. I think it’ll be fun.”

“Hm hm, me too,” Ren replied. The two of them softly fell asleep.

Notes:

So, there's going to be two chapters remaining in the Futaba arc. Those will be the beach followed by a scene at Sumire's next performance, and then the Last Day of Summer and Futaba Rank 1. And as excited as I am to get to the Okumura arc, I think I might take a break between finishing the arc and starting the new one to work on other things. Although knowing me, I'll probably be back sooner than I think. Anyway, I thought I'd just give you that little production update. Enjoy.

Chapter 126: Halcyon Days

Chapter Text

On Monday, Ren and Futaba were getting ready to head to the beach. Sojiro was seeing them off. He looked intently at Ren. “Look, you’re going to be in charge of Futaba all day. Make sure nothing bad happens to her.”

“Got it,” Ren replied.

“Oh, and make sure that no random guys hit on her, you hear me?”

“Question.”

“Shoot.”

“Do I also need to make sure no random girls hit on her either?” Ren asked.

Sojiro was stone faced for a few seconds before letting out a long sigh. “You know what I mean…”

“I think it’s a fair question,” Ren said. “I mean, look who you’re talking to.”

Sojiro sighed again. “I know, but some men are really messed up and weird.” Ren nodded in agreement. “That said, yeah, try not to let any stanger hit on Futaba. That’d be great.”

Ren smiled. “Will do.”

“Thanks,” Sojiro said.

“Can we go now?” Futaba asked.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” Sojiro replied.

“It’s just a day trip!” Futaba countered. “I’ll be fine.”

“Heh heh, right,” Sojiro chuckled. “I just can’t help but worry sometimes. Take care!” Ren and Futaba nodded, and they were off to the beach.

Later, at the beach, Ryuji, Yusuke, and Jose were already in their swimsuits and were waiting for the girls to change. Ren left Morgana with them. Ryuji was wearing a pair of red swim trunks with a skull pattern on the right side along with some black and white patterns. Yusuke was wearing a pair of blue swim trunks with white polka dots, as well as a thin zip-up hoodie.

“We’re ready!” Ann called out in her usual bubbly voice. Ann, Makoto, Sumire, and Lena emerged. Lena was wearing the suit she bought. Ann was wearing a bikini with a floral print. Makoto was wearing a white two-piece with a frilly skirt-like bottom half. Sumire was wearing a puffy pink two-piece, again with a frilly skirt on the bottom half, as well as these puffy sleeve poms.

Ryuji was focused on his girlfriend. “Woah!”

Ann noticed this and giggled. She posed. “You like?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji said, face red.

Ann put Ryuji in a headlock. “Aw, come on. We’re dating now. You can relax.”

“Well, yeah but…” Ryuji said. That doesn’t make you any less magical.”

Ann was surprised by that response. She blushed and released Ryuji from his headlock, instead holding his hand. “Oh you.” The two shared a kiss.

“Where’s Futaba?” Yusuke wondered.

“And Ren?” Morgana added.

“They should be out shortly,” Lena informed them.

“I think Futaba needs to get psyched up,” Makoto explained.

In the changing room, Ren had finished changing. “Futaba, are you ready?”

“Yeah,” she replied, though it sounded a bit muffled.

Ren looked over and saw that Futaba had wrapped her head in a towel. “Hm,” Ren chuckled. “Come on. Let’s get this thing off of you.” She started to unwrap the towel.

“But…but…but-”

“No ‘buts’ Futaba,” Ren instructed. “We came here for you, and I’m not going to let you miss it.”

Futaba was stunned. “...OK,” she resigned.

“It’ll be fine,” Ren assured her. “I promise.”

Futaba was impressed. She nodded and said “Yeah!”

“Hm hm,” Ren chuckled. “Now the…” She finished unwrapping Futaba’s towel.

The pair exited the changing room. Ren stepped out first, and the others could see she was wearing a black two-piece with white edges. The top was akin to a sports bra, and the bottom looked like short shorts. The swimsuit also had a slew of white lines that gave the swimsuit a hexagonal pattern.

Everyone was simultaneously in awe and anticipation. Ren smiled. She stepped aside as Futaba emerged in the swimsuit she bought. She was a little flustered as everyone else was looking on. They started smiling, cheering for her. Futaba relaxed and smiled. She walked among the rest of the group. “Heh heh.”

“Well, now that the gang’s all here, wanna grab some lunch?” Sumire offered. They agreed, and they went off to grab some food and find a spot for them.

As they were sorting out what they were eating, Yusuke asked “So Futaba, what will you be eating?” Futaba took out a portable bowl of instant yakisoba. “You brought that with you?!” Yusuke wondered.

“Baby steps,” Futaba countered.

“Very well,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, you really shouldn't be too worried,” Ryuji said. “As long as she’s eating something.”

“I suppose that’s true,” Yusuke said.

Jose looked up at Makoto. “Why aren’t you eating anything?”

“Oh!” Makoto said, caught unaware. “Well….” Jose gave her a confused but earnest look.

“Allow me to explain,” Morgana said. “You see Jose, when a woman is in a swimsuit, she wants to look as slim as possible.”

“Huh,” Jose said.

“Mona lacks tact,” Futaba said.

“Eh,” Morgana gasped.

“Yeah, um, don’t repeat that Jose,” Ann said.

“Lady Ann?” Morgana said in shock.

“Yeah, as true as that may be, some things are better left unsaid,” Lena said.

“But how do I know not to say something until I’ve said it?” Jose wondered.

“Well, you don’t know better,” Ren said. “So we would essentially excuse you and explain what’s happening, like now.”

“Gotcha,” Jose said.

“Morgana really should have known better though…” Makoto said.

“Mmmm,” Morgana pouted.

“I was wondering the same thing, but I decided not to say anything,” Ryuji admitted.

“Ryuji…” Ann said with a negative tone.

“What?” Ryuji asked, apparently clueless.

“You really need to learn to quit when you’re ahead,” Yusuke said.

“Well, I’m not really ahead often in these kinds of conversations,” Ryuji said. “So I guess I don’t know what to do when I’m in that position.”

“That’s why I said ‘learn’,” Yusuke retorted.

“Shuddup!” Ryuji replied.

“Ugh,” Makoto sighed.

“You know,” Sumire interjected, “I understand all this, but you really should eat something while you can. I mean, we’ll be at the beach all day. We’re going to be doing all sorts of things.”

Makoto sighed. “You’re right I mean, I practice Aikido, and I know all of this, but…I guess the superficial stuff just kind of got the better of me.”

Sumire smiled. “It’s OK. It can get the better of anyone.”

Makoto nodded. “Yeah.”

They finished up having lunch. “So, what should we do now?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, uhhhh,” Sumire stammered.

“I kind of promised to take Futaba out on a banana boat,” Ren explained.

“And they only had one for three people,” Sumire continued. “So I promised to go with them.”

“I see,” Ryuji said.

“But we’ll be back soon,” Sumire said. “Then we can do stuff together.”

“C’mon,” Ren said. “We don’t want to be late.”

“K,” Futaba said. The three of them headed to the dock.

“So, what do we do in the meantime?” Ryuji asked.

“Well…” Makoto said. “Yusuke?” Yusuke looked at her. “Do you mind helping me with something?”

“Uh, sure?” Yusuke said.

“Great, let’s go,” Makoto said in a hurried tone. She got up and started dragging Yusuke.

“Hold up,” Yusuke said. “I can walk by myself.” They left.

“And that leaves five,” Lena noted.

“Well…” Ann said. “I know it’s kind of a slap in the face since Akechi isn’t here, BUUUUUUUUUUT walking the beach as a couple is something I've wanted to do since I was a little girl.”

“Uh, we met in middle school,” Ryuji pointed out.

“I meant in general,” Ann said angrily.

“Sorry…” Ryuji apologized. Ann sighed.

“It’s fine,” Lena said. “You can walk the beach for a bit.”

“Unless you don’t want to anymore,” Morgana said, cheekily.

“You little…” Ryuji remarked.

“No, I still want to,” Ann said. “Partially to get Ryuji more accustomed to couples things.”

“Well, since everyone else left,” Jose said.

“We’ll keep down the fort,” Lena said.

“And keep an eye on your stuff,” Morgana said. “I mean, it’d be pretty embarrassing if someone stole from us.”

“Thanks,” Ann said. She got up and grabbed Ryuji’s arm. “Let’s go sweetie.”

Ryuji smiled. “OK.” They left as well.

Once they were out of range, Jose turned and asked “So Lena, you’re from America, right?”

“Uh, well, yeah,” Lena answered.

“What are the differences between America and Japan?” Jose asked.

Lena was surprised. “You know, I’m kind of wondering myself,” Morgana added.

“Um, well, that’s…kind of a complicated question.” Lena said. “Um, well, there are a lot of differences.”

“Such as?” Jose wondered.

“Well, I think going over them all is a Herculean task,” Lena informed him. “Heck, I’m not even sure I know all of them.”

“I see,” Jose said.

“But I will say, I think there’s more that unites us as humans than divides us,” Lena said. “So while there are a lot of differences, the human experience is pretty similar.”

“Fascinating,” Jose said.

“Um, maybe take that with a grain of salt,” Morgana said. Jose and Lena were surprised. “I mean, I agree to some extent, but knowing other cultures is important too.”

“Hm hm,” Lena chuckled. “You’re right. But there’s just so much that’s different, I don’t even know where to begin.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Morgana said.

“For now, I just want to live, you know,” Lena said.

“I guess I can put it off for now,” Jose said. “So, you want to be a singer, right?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah,” Lena answered.

“Can we hear you sing?” Jose asked.

“Hm hm, sure, Lena responded. “Now let’s see…” Lena treated them to a wonderful little mini-concert.

Meanwhile, on the banana boat, Sumire exclaimed “Isn’t this fun?”

“Yeah,” Futaba said with not a lot of energy.

Ren took notice. “Are you doing OK?”

“Well, it’s just…” Futaba said. She got a little embarrassed. “Am…Am I third wheeling you?” Ren and Sumire were surprised. “It’s just, you’re a couple. Would you not rather do something like this alone? Without me.”

“Futaba…” Sumire said.

“Hey,” Ren said. “Like I told you, today is about you. We’re here for you. So don’t worry about that for now.”

“Besides, I think this might be too public a place for a date,” Sumire said.

“Yeah, I hear ya,” Ren said.

“So it’s not just me that fears crowds,” Futaba noted.

“I mean, they can be overwhelming,” Sumire admitted.

“Let’s just go back to having fun, OK?” Ren said. Futaba nodded. The three of them continued their banana boat ride.

Makoto and Yusuke were walking the beach. “Pardon me,” Yusuke said. “But we;ve been walking for a while, and I still have no idea what on Earth we’re doing.”

“Oh, um, well, just this…” Makoto stammered. Yusuke was confused. “I…just wanted to act like a couple again in case Eiko or her boyfriend sees us.”

“Hm,” Yusuke responded. “Well, I doubt he’s one to come to the beach. And wouldn’t Eiko have told you she was coming if she wasn’t here with him?”

“I guess you’re right,” Makoto said. She sighed. “What am I doing?”

“You just want to look out for your friend,” Yusuke said. “I find that very admirable.”

“Yeah, but I feel like I’m losing myself, you know,” Makoto said. “I used to be more on top of things, and now…”

Yusuke gave her a look. “You know, sometimes you need to lose yourself in order to find yourself again. For too long, I thought I was just Madarame’s lone star pupil. But I had to lose that to find myself anew. And even now I have struggles, but I think it’s worth it.”

Makoto calmed down. “You’re right. I had to give up who I was for another shot at getting others to trust me again. And while I’m still in that fog, I think it was for the better.”

Yusuke smiled. “Glad I could help.”

Makoto nodded. “Let’s head back.” They started heading back to their spot on the beach.

Meanwhile, Ann and Ryuji were walking the beach. Ann rested her head on Ryuji’s shoulder. “Isn’t this lovely?”

Ryuji smiled. “It is pretty nice. I can see why you’d want to do it.”

They looked out at the ocean. Ann took a deep breath. “Do you think we could do a beach wedding?”

Ryuji froze. “Uh, say what now?”

“I mean, not here,” Ann said. “But like a private beach.”

“Ummmmmm,” Ryuji said.

“Is something the matter?”

“Well, it’s just, that’s kind of a ways off, isn’t it?”

“I’m just thinking out loud,” Ann replied. “Why are you so defensive?”

“Well, uhhhhhh,” Ryuji said. He sighed. “Ugh.”

“You feeling alright?” Ann asked. “This doesn’t seem like you.”

“Well, it’s just…” Ryuji answered.

Ann took his hand. “It’s OK. You can trust me.”

Ryuji settled down. “Right. So, like, I know your parents are super cool and all that, but my parents got married out of high school, and look how that turned out. I’m just scared, you know? When Kamoshida brought up my dad, I punched him. Not because he and I are different, but because I was worried that I’d be just like him. And on that day, I was.”

Ann was shocked but not surprised by Ryuji’s admission. She pulled him in and gave him a kiss on the forehead. “It’s OK Ryuji. We don’t have to do this kind of thing if you don’t want to.”

“I mean, I want to,” Ryuji said. “But…I just want to be more sure of myself, you know?”

Ann smiled. “I think you’re more sure of yourself than you give yourself credit for.” She looked over Ryuji’s shoulder and grew worried.

Ryuji noticed this. “Something the matter?”

“These two odd-looking guys are coming over,” Ann informed him. “They started coming over as soon as they saw us.”

“Heh, well, just leave it to me,” Ryuji said. He turned around. “Back off! She's wiiiiiiiii…” Ryuji ran out of steam as he recognized Julian and Angel. “Oh.”

“See? I told you it was him,” Angel said.

“Of course,” Julian said. “You have quite the discerning eye.”

“Hi…” Ryuji said.

Ann was surprised. “Do you know each other?”

Ryuji turned towards Ann. “Remember those photos?”

It took Ann a bit, but she remembered. “Oh, where you were dressed in drag?”

“Yeah…” Ryuji said. “These two were the ones that helped Ren get me in them.”

“And we’ve been missing you ever since,” Angel said.

“You haven’t shown up all summer,” Julian said. “You missed the entire summer fashion season.”

“Well…” Ryuji said.

“He’s been busy,” Ann interjected.

“And who are you?” Julian asked.

Ann wrapped herself around Ryuji. “I’m his girlfriend!”

Julian and Angel were now shocked. “Girlfriend?” Julian said.

Ann nodded. “That’s right!”

“I can’t believe it!” Angel said.

“Another one lost,” Julian said. “Well, still, if you’re ever feeling up to it, you know where to find us.”

“R-right,” Ryuji said.

Julian and Angel started waking off. “I was so sure we’d help him find himself,” Angel moaned.

“Well, look at the bright side,” Julian said. “She said she saw the pictures and still wanted to go out with him. In a way, we did.”

Angel smiled. “I guess you’re right.”

“That was…something…” Ryuji said.

“So, do you think you’ll be heading back there?” Ann teased.

“Uhhhhhh…” Ryuji let out.

“Hm hm, I’m just kidding,” Ann said.

“Right,” Ryuji replied.

“Let’s head back,” Ann said.

“Right.” They started heading back.

“Still, you looked really good,” Ann said. “If not for them, how ‘bout a show just for me?”

Ryuji was hesitant. “Maybe…”

“Great!” Ann said. “I have all sorts of things I want you to try on.”

“Ugh,” Ryuji moaned. “I regret this alright.

“Hm hm. No going back,” Ann said. They looked at each other and shared another kiss.

As Ren, Sumire, and Futaba were returning from their banana boat ride, Futaba exclaimed “MAN that was fun!

“I’m glad you enjoyed it,” Sumire said.

“Heh heh, yeah,” Futaba chuckled.

“Well well well,” a man’s voice said. The girls turned to see a group of three men surrounding them. “Look what we have here.”

“Hey babes,” another one said. “How about you join us for some fun on the beach?”

“It'll be fun,” the third one added.

“We’re here with friends,” Ren explained calmly, but firmly.  “Sorry.”

Ren tried to usher the group away, but the men blocked her. “Eh, you can leave them.”

“Yeah. We won’t take very long.”

“We just wanna have some fun.”

Sumire got mad. “We told you no. Now, if you’ll excuse us.”

“C'mon.”

“What do we gotta do to get you to come with us?”

“We’ll be gentle.”

Ren was ready and willing to throw down with these slimeballs. But it was a very public place, and Ren didn’t want to risk getting arrested again. This, however, did not stop Futaba. She walked up to one of them and shouted “We. Said. NO!” and kicked them in the balls with all her might. It was enough to cause him to immediately fall to the sand.

“Well? Feisty, ain’t ya?” another guy said, apparently undeterred. Suddenly, the sound of a huge impact was heard. Seconds later, the second guy fell to the ground.

As he did, the others noticed that Makoto had used her Aikido to take him down. Makoto sighed. “What a creep.”

“You BITCH!” the last guy standing said. He went to slap Makoto.

Before he could, Yusuke called out “GO!” and threw two lobsters that he had.

One grabbed the guy by his nose, and the other grabbed the guy by his left nipple. “AHHHHHHHHH!” the guy yelped in pain. In his panic, he managed to pry the lobsters off of him, but it still hurt like the dickens.

The other two guys started to get up, but were significantly weakened. “Let’s get out of here,” the leader of the pack said.

“Crazy bitchs,” another said. They left as fast as they could, tails between their legs.

Ren sighed, relieved. “Thanks.”

“Are you alright?” Makoto asked.

“I think so,” Sumire said. “Luckily, they didn’t get very far.”

“We showed them!” Futaba said, excited.

Yusuke went to pick up the lobsters. He looked them over. “Good. They didn’t hurt you.”

“Uh, we’re fine too, Inari,” Futaba remared.

“Hm?” Yusuke said. “Oh, right. My apologies. I’m glad you’re safe too.”

“Hm. Stupid Inari,” Futaba said.

“By the way, why do you have two lobsters?” Ren asked.

“Oh, well, I saw they were on sale,” Yusuke said. “I was so taken in by their appearance that I just had to buy them. I mean, just look at them! So artistic! So beautiful!”

Everyone was slightly confused. “Yeah, just go with it,” Makoto said.

They did. “Well then, shall we head back?” Ren said. Everyone agreed, and they went to meet up with everyone else.

When they got there, Ann and Ryuji were already back. “Oh hey,” Ryuji said.

“How was your boat ride?” Ann asked.

“The boat ride was fantastic,” Ren reported.

“What happened after wasn’t,” Sumire explained.

“I dunno,” Futaba said. “I got to kick someone in the balls.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji said.

“They wouldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer,” Ren explained.

“Gotcha,” Morgana said.

“Ugh,” Ann sneared.

“Tell me about it,” Makoto said.

“Well, I’m glad you’re alright,” Lena said.

“I’m sorry that it happened,” Jose said.

“It's fine,” Ren said. “Now, who’s up for some beach fun?!”

“YEAH!” everyone cheered. They spent the remainder of the day playing beach volleyball, making sand castles, and playing in the ocean. Overall, it was a delightful day.

As the sun was setting, everyone was getting ready to go. “Man, today was pretty fun,” Ryuji said.

“I agree,” Sumire said. “Despite the slight hiccup.”

“Oh. Yeah,” Ryuji reacted.

“Well, the worst was avoided,” Yusuke said. “Besides, I got these lobsters. Aren’t they majestic?”

“Uh, sure,” Ryuji answered.

“Helpful too,” Sumire chuckled.

“Well, I think today was great too,” Jose said. “I got to hear Lena sing earlier.”

“Really?” Makoto said.

“Me too,” Morgana himed in.

“How was it?” Ren asked.

“It was great!” Jose said.

“She has a beautiful voice,” Morgana said.

“Oh, stop you two,” Lena said, embarrassed.

“Wow,” Ann said. “Can we hear you sing?”

“Uh, maybe later…” Lena said.

“Be careful,” Ryuji said. “She’ll hold ya to it.”

“Wha?” Lena said.

“Oh, don’t worry about it,” Ann said.

“Well, it looks like we’re all set,” Makoto said.

Ren turned to Futaba. “You ready to go, Futaba?” Ren noticed that Futaba was staring out at the sunset. She looked almost frozen. Ren nodded, and walked over to her. The others followed her.

When they arrived, Futaba felt their presence and turned around. She had tears in her eyes. “Sorry,” she said. She wiped them. “I was just thinking about a time when my mom took me to the beach. There was a sunset just like this.” She turned to look at it again. “I can’t believe it’s been two years already.”

She turned back to everyone else. “I want to join the Phantom Thieves. I want to avenge mom. And I want to help people too. The pain I went through is unbearable. I don’t want anyone else to feel that pain again. Especially if someone is actively trying to cause it.”

“It’s REALLY disgusting that that was intentional,” Ann said.

“Whoever is pulling the strings is truly a piece of inhumane garbage,” Yusuke added.

“Well, I don’t think we need much convincing,” Ren said. “Welcome aboard.”

“Huh?” Futaba said. “Just like that?”

“Of course,” Sumire said.

“You really think we wouldn’t?” Morgana asked.

“Well…” Futaba said.

“I understand where she’s coming from,” Makoto said. “If you remember, you kept me at arm’s length for a bit. But when it came down to it, they let me join.”

“I was a little nervous too,” Lena said. “Considering how spontaneous everything was for me. But they welcomed me too.”

“Don’t worry Futaba,” Jose said. “They’re really good people who will put their trust in you.”

“C’mon, Jose,” Ryuji said. “You say that like you’re not one of us.”

“Yeah,” Ann added. “You’re definitely a Phantom Thief through and through. Anyways…” She walked over and gave Futaba a hug. “Welcome aboard!”

“Uh, thanks,” Futaba said, slightly uncomfortable.

“Oops,” Ann said, letting go. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Futaba said. “Just give a bit of a warning next time.”

“Hm hm, OK,” Ann said.

“Oh! Now we gotta think of a codename!” Ryuji said.

“Yeah!” Lena said. “This oughta be fun!”

“Why not just go with Alibaba?” Yusuke suggested.

“Pass,” Futaba said. “If we need to hack potential targets, I’d rather leave the Alibaba name open.”

“That’s actually really smart,” Morgana remarked.

“Well, I guess that means Medjed is also out of the picture,” Ryuji said.

“Why would she choose the name Medjed?” Makoto asked.

“Well, I mean, it was her’s originally,” Ryuji explained. “Then some jerks hijacked it, and then after she took them out, she could reclaim it. You know, like a trophy.”

“Meh, I don’t want the Medjed name back,” Futaba said. “I’m trying to look forward, not back.”

“Fair,” Ryuji said.

“Ooo!” Ann said, excitedly. “What about Pharaoh?!”

“I’ll curse you!” Futaba sniped back.

“Is that a yes?” Jose asked.

“That’s a no,” Futaba explained.

“I figured,” Ann said. “But you did look adorable in that outfit.”

“Urgh,” Futaba groaned, embarrassed.

“What about Toucan?” Lena said. Everyone looked at her confused. “Well, I just started watching Featherman upon Futaba’s recommendation, and…”

“You think I’m most like Toucan?!” Futaba asked.

“Well, I just started watching…” Lena answered meekly

“Well…hmmm…I actually need to think about that one,” Futaba responded.

“What about Navi?” Sumire offered.

“Hmmm,” Futaba said. “Navi is good. But I want something a little more.”

“Well, what do you want your codename to be?” Ren asked.

Futaba thought for a second. “Oracle.”

“Oracle?” Ryuji reacted.

“Hm. I quite like it,” Makoto said.

“As do I,” Yusuke added.

“I think we have a winner,” Lena said.

Ren smirked. “Welcome to the team, Oracle.” Futaba smiled.

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 7

“Well then,” Ren said, “with all that decided, let’s get going. We don’t want to be here when the sun sets completely.” The others nodded, and they started heading out.

Futaba took one last look at the sunset. For a brief moment, Futaba faintly saw her mom in the sun. She nodded and whispered “Thank you.” She hurried up and met back up with everyone else. They got changed and went home for the night.

The next day, Ren and Futaba were meeting up before heading out to Sumire’s gymnastics performance. “Alright! Let’s go!” Futaba cheered.

“Just a moment,” Ren said. “Um, I maybe should have told you earlier, but there’ll be a few more people joining us.”

“What?” Futaba wondered.

“It’s just two more people from my school, and someone from Yusuke’s school,” Ren explained. “It’ll be fine. We’re just there to watch. I’ll be next to you the entire time.”

“Well, if you’re fine with them, then so am I,” Futaba said, determined.

Ren smiled. “That’s the spirit.” She turned to Morgana. “How about you? Are you ready?”

“Yeah…” Morgana said. “It stinks that I have to stay silent for this.”

“Well, it’s either that, or don’t come at all,” Futaba pointed out.

“I know, but it still stinks,” Morgana said.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll still have fun,” Ren said. Morgana got in the bag, Ren picked it up, and they were off.

Once they arrived at the station, Ann waved them down. The rest of the Phantom Thieves were there aside from Sumire, along with Shiho, Mishima, and Hifumi. “Hey!” They rushed over.

“Oh? Who’s this?” Mishima asked.

“This is Futaba,” Ryuji explained.

“Oooooh,” Mishima said. “She’s the one you mentioned.”

“Good things, I hope,” Ren said

“What do you take us for?” Ryuji asked.

“Hi there Futaba,” Shiho said.

“H-Hi,” Futaba said, nervously.

“Oh my,” Shiho replied.

“Just give her some time,” Ann instructed.

Hifumi emerged from the woodwork, bowed, and said “Thanks for inviting me again.”

“My pleasure,” Ren said.

Hifumi turned to Futaba. “Pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Futaba didn’t answer for a few seconds. When she did, she only said “Likewise.”

“Well, we should head out,” Ren said. “We don’t want to be late.” They all nodded, and proceeded to head to the stadium.

As they were taking their seats, Makoto looked up. She saw a V.I.P seat, and in there was a man in a black suit and glasses, as well as a girl wearing a mint green dress and orange hair. “Is something the matter?” Lena asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh. No. It’s fine.”

“Well, if you say so,” Lena replied. They took their seats, and the show began.

When Sumire was up to perform, her friends started cheering for her. This gave her all the motivation she needed, as she began. She performed her hardest, and the crowd was really taken in. Truly, it was a spectacle.

Once she finished, her friends were the first ones to applaud, but soon the whole stadium was in an uproar. Sumire was impressed. She bowed, smiled, and waved before taking her exit.

In the crowd, Ren was in awe. She couldn’t help but smile.. She turned to Futaba. “So, what did you think?”

“That was AMAZING!” Futaba said.

Ren nodded. “Glad you liked it.”

After the competition was over, everyone went out to wait for Sumire. Once she found them, she called out “REN!” and rushed over. Ren turned to meet her, and she leapt into a hug. “What did you think?”

Ren had a smile ear-to-ear. “You were amazing, as always.”

“He he,” Sumire chuckled. The two shared a kiss. “Thanks.”

It was a few seconds before Futaba interrupted to say “I thought it was really good too!”

“Oh,” Sumire said, letting go of Ren. “Thank you.”

“We all thought you did exceptional,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, you really nailed it,” Shiho said.

“I thought it was better than last time,” Mishima added. Shiho elbowed him. “Ow!”

Sumire chuckled. “It’s alright,” she said. “It means I’m improving.”

“Well then, I must agree,” Hifumi said.

Sumire was surprised. “Oh. Um, forgive me, but have we met?”

“Oh!” Hifumi said, equally alarmed. “Forgive me. I attended your last performance, but I couldn’t stay to met you afterwards.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

“My name is Hifumi Togo,” she said, introducing herself.

“Hm hm. Pleased to meet you,” Sumire said. “I’m Sumire Yoshizawa.”

“Pleased to meet you as well,” Hifumi replied.

“Well, I think this is the perfect time to celebrate,” Yusuke said. “Where should we eat?”

“Actually,” Sumire interrupted, “I’m a bit too tired. I’d rather just eat at home and go to sleep.”

“I agree,” Ann said. “Taking it easy tonight and tomorrow will help us get ready for school the day after.”

“Ugh, don’t remind me,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, I don’t want to think about it,” Mishima said.

“Look, I’m not looking forward to it either,” Ann responded.

“Well, I’m looking forward to it,” Lena said. “It’ll be my first time at school where I can make friends with more people.”

“Oh, right,” Ryuji said.

“I could use some rest too,” Futaba said.

“Same,” Makto agreed. “Once school starts again, I’m back to being leader of the student council.”

“And I need to get back to figuring out the future of the volleyball team,” Shiho said. “But I’m more determined than ever!”

“Way to go, Shiho!” Ann cheered.

“Hmmm,” Yusuke said, disappointed. “I was hoping to go out with one last hoorah!”

“Well, I’m up to getting some food,” Jose said. “We could get some together.”

Yusuke smiled. “I’d like that.”

Sumire got a message. “Oh. My parents are here.” She gave Ren a quick peck on the cheek. “Thanks for coming, everyone!” she said, rushing out the door.

Ren smiled and waved. “Seeya!”

Hifumi got a message. “That’s my mother. I should get going as well.” Ren nodded, and Hifumi left.

“I think we should all head out,” Ryuji said. Everyone nodded, and they went their separate ways for the evening. Ann and Ryuji walked home together, as did Shiho and Mishima. Yusuke and Jose headed to a restaurant before heading back to the Kosei dorms. Hifumi was hurriedly on her way home. Makoto and Lena were walking slower to their homes.

As Ren and Futaba were on their way to Yongen-Jaya, Morgana popped out and said “I didn’t even get a chance to congratulate her.

Ren smiled. “I’ll fix that for you now.” She got out her phone.

Ren: Morgana said you did really well too.

Sumire: Thanks!

Sumire: Give him a scratch behind the ears for me.

Ren: Will do!

Ren looked at Morgana. “You heard the lady.”

She started scratching behind Morgana’s ears. As much as he wanted to deny it at first, he was sent into a euphoric state, and even purred.

“Hm hm,” Futaba chuckled. “I think being a cat suits you.”

This snapped Morgana out of his trance. “I am NOT a cat!” he protested. “But, I guess it’s not so bad.”

Ren smiled. “I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” Once they got to Yongen-Jaya, Ren took Morgana back to Leblanc, while Futaba headed to her house for the night.

Chapter 127: The Last Day of Summer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up the next day and looked out the window. It was peaceful, but there was a sense of pressure hovering in the atmosphere. After all, today was the last day of summer. She stretched, and got out of the bed.

After she went downstairs, she saw Sojiro and Futaba. “Oh, good morning,” Sojiro said.

“Good morning,” Ren said. She sat down next to Futaba. “So, what’s for breakfast?”

“Well, about that…” Sojiro said. Ren was confused. “I was thinking… I know you already had your little celebration to celebrate Medjed’s defeat and Futaba joining your little club,” Ren rolled her eyes, “but you didn't just stop Medjed or gain a new member. You also saved Futaba, and to a lesser extent myself. So, if you don’t mind, I would like to go out; just the three of us.”

Ren was stunned. “Uh, sure…”

Sojiro nodded and smiled. “Thanks. Well, shall we go?”

“I’m ready,” Futaba said.

“Uh, can I check on Mogana first?” Ren asked.

“That’s fine,” Sojiro said. “Futaba and I will be waiting outside.”

“Thanks, Ren said. She went upstairs. “Hey Morgana?” she inquired.

“I heard everything,” Morgana said. “I have very exceptional hearing.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“It’s fine,” Morgana said. “After all, as long as we're Phantom Thieves I’ll still be here.”

Ren smiled. “Right. Well, seeya then.”

“Seeya!” Morgana said. Ren headed out with Sojiro and Futaba. “As long as we’re Phantom Thieves…”

Sojiro took Ren and Futaba to the sushi restaurant they went to after the Phantom Thieves changed Kaneshiro’s heart. They had sat down and placed their order. “So, are you excited?” Sojiro asked.

“Yeah!” Futaba said.

Ren smiled. “I am too. This place is good.”

“You’ve been here before?” Sojiro wondered. Ren nodded. “Heh. Well, no matter. This place really is good. So let’s eat!”

“YEAH!” Ren and Futaba cheered. They found a place to sit down.

A little while later, they were enjoying their meals. Futaba was wolfing down her sushi. “Hey, so down,” Sojiro cautioned.

“It’s SO good!” Futaba exclaimed.

“I know, but…” Sojiro said. Futaba kept stuffing her mouth. He sighed. “Just be careful.”

Ren, who was eating a good amount of sushi as well, looked at Futaba. “Wow. You have quite the ravenous appetite. Well, I guess being down for the count for a month will do that to ya.”

“Mh hm,” Futaba nodded.

“Well, I guess you did go through a lot…” Sojiro said.

Futaba kept scarfing down the sushi. She then suddenly stopped. “Hic. Bafwoom!”

“Huh?” Sojiro wondered.

“BAFWOOM!” Futaba shouted through her food.

“Oh!” Sojiro said, realizing the urgency of the situation. “Over there!” he pointed.

“Fanks!” Futaba said, heading over immediately.

“I warned you!” Sojiro called out. When Futaba entered the bathroom, he sighed. He looked at Ren. “You know, I wasn’t really one for kids before.”

“Oh?” Ren said.

Sojiro nodded. “When I had gotten out of college and into a job, I was determined to be a lifelong bachelor; not tied down by anything. And I’m not going to lie, it can be fun. But it made me unaccountable for no one but myself. And after a certain point, that didn’t sit well with me.

I was always alone, but after meeting and getting to know Wakaba, for the first time in a long time I felt lonely.

When Wakaba passed, and I figured out how her uncle treated her, I knew Futaba felt lonely, so I had to step in. I gave up my job, my lifestyle, everything, just to be one phone call away from her at all times. But I feel it’s worth it.

I’m not saying how you should live. What I’m saying is as someone who has been both a sole-mind individual and someone a person can rely on, I prefer being the latter.”

Ren chuckled. “I don’t think you need to worry about that on my front.”

“True,” Sojiro said. “You have your little gang and all that. But sometimes, I can’t help it. It’s just the kind of person I am now.”

“Hm hm,” Ren giggled. “I’m glad.”

“Hm. Me too,” Sojiro smiled.

Futaba made her way back from the bathroom. “Alright! Back to eating!” “You’re still hungry?” Sojiro said.

“Yup!” Futaba nodded.

Sojiro sighed. “Just…pace yourself, alright?”

“OK,” Futaba said. They went back to eating.

Once they finished eating, Sojiro turned to them and said “I’m going to go ahead and take care of the bill. You two wait here.”

“‘K,” Futaba said. Sojiro walked off. Futaba turned to Ren. “You know, mom and Sojiro took me here when I got accepted into middle school.”

“Oh?” Ren reacted.

Futaba nodded. “It was just as good then. That day will always be a happy one for me. But it’s been buried under all the pain, all the misery.” Ren nodded. “But despite everything that’s happened, Sojiro was always there for me. I know it may sound cheesy, but I want to be there for him too.”

Ren giggled. “I don’t think that's cheesy at all.”

“Really?” Futaba asked. Ren nodded. Futaba sighed. “Thanks.”

Ren smiled. “No problem.”

“HOW MUCH?!” the two girls heard Sojiro exclaim.

Futaba frowned. “IIIIIIIIIII guess eating all that sushi wasn’t all too helpful.”

“Eh, baby steps,” Ren joked. Sojiro returned, looking a little perturbed. “You alright?” Ren asked.

“I’ll be fine,” Sojiro said, begrudgingly. He calmed down. “Let’s just head back.” Ren and Futaba nodded. The three of them left.

They arrived at Yongen-Jaya. Sojiro checked the time. “It might not be too late to open up for a bit and maybe catch some customers.” He turned to Futaba. “You think you can get home alright?”

“Well…” Futaba said nervously. “There’s actually something I want to do.”

“Oh?” Sojiro wondered.

“I… I want to go to Akihabara!” Futaba shouted.

“What?!” Sojiro replied. “Are you sure?”

“Positive,” Futaba answered.

“Well, I guess we can go together…” Sojiro offered.

Futaba shook her head. “I want to go with just Ren.”

“Huh?!” Sojiro and Ren exclaimed.

“I just want to try being out in public,” Futaba continued. “I want to be able to do stuff on my own.”

“I don’t know…” Sojiro said, worried.

“I went to the beach,” Futaba reminded him. “And I’ll have Ren with me, so it’ll be alright.”

Sojiro looked unsure, but sighed and said “very well.”

“Yay!” Futaba cheered. She hugged Sojiro. “Thanks Sojiro.”

Sojiro was surprised, but smiled, and hugged her back. Once they finished, he turned to Ren and said “Make sure everything goes alright.”

“Will do,” Ren nodded.

“Let’s go!” Futaba instructed. Futaba and Ren headed back towards the train station.

Sojiro walked to Leblanc. He was about to flip the sign to open when a thought occurred to him. He went inside and walked up to Ren’s room and saw Morgana pawing at something. “Good, you’re still here,” Sojiro said. Morgana looked up. “Just letting you know that Ren went with Futaba and she’s going to be out a little longer, OK?” Morgana seemed a bit puzzled, but nodded. Sojiro nodded back. “Good. I’m going to open up for a little bit, so just make sure to keep quiet, alright?” Morgana nodded again. “Thanks. I’ll bring you something when I close.” Sojiro went back downstairs.

“Mmmmmm,” Morgana pouted.

In Akihabara, Futaba and Ren arrived at an electronics store. “So, what are we doing here?” Ren asked.

“Well, there’s a new game,” Futaba explained, “and I want to see if I can buy it on my own.”

“On your own?” Ren question. Futaba scowled at her. “Sorry. I believe you can do it. But if something were to happen to you, I don’t think I’d hear the end of it from Sojiro.”

“Well, I guess I can’t blame you,” Futaba said. “But I’ll be fine! I’ll just find the game, and check out, no problem! You wait here. If I’m not back in 30 minutes, you can look for me, OK?”

Ren wasn’t really sure about this plan, but she knew that if she said “no” to it, Futaba would do it anyway and be upset with her. So she relented and said “Alright. Don’t hesitate to call or text if you need anything.”

“Right,” Futaba nodded. She psyched herself up. “Let's go!” She walked into the store.

Ren set an alarm for 30 minutes to make sure that she can seek out Futaba as soon as possible. After that, she passed the time by playing games on her phone. When 30 minutes was up, she closed the app she was on and looked around. She didn’t see Futaba close by, so she went out to look for her.

As she was searching, she heard someone ask “Are you lost?” She turned to where it was coming from and saw that a cop was talking with Futaba and she was crying. “Do you need help?”

She walked over with urgency. “Futaba?” she said. Futaba looked at Ren. Her eyes widened, and Futaba ran around to Ren’s back and clung to her shirt.

“Is she with you?” the cop asked.

Ren nodded. “That’s right.”

“Well, I’m glad she’s alright,” the cop said. “Take care.” They walked off.

Ren turned to Futaba. Futaba sighed. “That was kind of scary.”

Ren smirked. “You’re telling me.” She got a little more serious. “What happened?”

“Oh,” Futaba said, slightly embarrassed. She started to fidget. “Well, I was going to get the game…but…the amount of people here was…unreal. I panicked and froze. I didn’t know what to do. And then the cop came by.”

“I see,” Ren said. She pulled Futaba in for a hug. “Well, it’s alright now.”

Futaba cheered up almost immediately. “Thanks.” Ren let go of Futaba. “I thought that since going to the beach,” Futaba continued, “that I would be able to tackle everything. But I guess I went in over my head.”

“I was worried about that,” Ren replied. “But I decided to let you go through with it because I was there at the ready in case something like this happened.”

“Yeah,” Futaba said.

“Hey,” Ren said. Futaba looked up. “I know you want to be able to move on and stuff, and I appreciate the effort, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen right away.” Futaba got dejected “But I promise it will.”

Futaba looked up. “How are you so sure?”

Ren smiled. “Because that’s what’s happening with me.”

Futaba smiled. She then grew determined. “I want to get better. I want to be able to stand on my own two feet. But until I can, would you mind helping me out?”

“Of course I’ll help,” Ren said.

Futaba’s smile grew wider. “Thanks.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Hermit Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Hermit-Futaba Sakura: Rank 1

“So, do you still want to get that game?” Ren asked.

“Huh?” Futaba responded. “Oh, right. I almost forgot about that. Let’s go!” The two girls went to get the game Futaba wanted and left.

Later, as Ren finished changing into her pajamas, she sat down on her bed. “OK, I’m ready.”

Morgana looked down from the windowsill. “Alright,” he said. He pounced down.

Ren was concerned. “Something the matter?”

“It’s just…” Morgana sighed. “I don’t know. I’m generally unsure. It feels like I’m moving forward, but I can’t help but dwell on certain things.”

“Such as?” Ren asked.

“What happens when this is all over?” Morgana answered. “Like, I know everyone else seems to have their own goals, but I only exist to help you. I’ve been trying to figure out what else I can do. And I know we’ve talked about it before, and I know we’ve discussed that me just being here is good, but part of me still yearns for more. It’s complicated.”

“I mean, I get it,” Ren said. “I’ve always wondered where my place in the world was. And I think it’s becoming more apparent every day that it’s here, at least in some fashion. But even then, I’m not sure what I want to do once the whole Phantom Thieves thing is said and done either.”

“I’ve been concerned about that too,” Morgana admitted. “I was created to help you as the Phantom Thieves. Once we’ve beaten Eris, I don’t know what my place will be. Heck, I think I’m starting to lose it now.”

“Well, that’s just not true,” Ren said. “We’ve talked about this too.”

“Mmmmm, I guess,” Morgana said. “I dunno. Sometimes it’s hard to keep an optimistic viewpoint when you feel so unsure about what’s around the corner.”

“I think you might be looking too far ahead,” Ren said. Morgana looked at her confused. “Trust me, I was the same way. Back in my hometown, I had no real friends. I would spend time just wishing and waiting for things to get better. But the more I wanted an ideal future, the further away it seemed.”

“Well, I imagine with it getting there when you came to Tokyo, you felt a little relieved,” Morgana pointed out.

“Maybe,” Ren said. “But I also learned how to deal with it then.”

“Which is…?” Morgana pondered.

“Simple,” Ren said. “Find some time to just ground yourself into the now. I know what’s around the corner is worth worrying about, but you can’t completely focus on it until you get there.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Morgana said. He sighed. “I sometimes feel like I’m going two steps forward, one step back.”

“That’s still a step forward,” Ren said. “Do you just want to have a pity party? Because I can go back and forth all night.”

“Well, you shouldn’t,” Morgana said. “You've got school in the morning.” Ren giggled. “I just feel like after we defeat Eris, I don’t have anything big going on.”

“So what?” Ren said. “I wouldn’t mind not having something big to worry about. Then I could just focus on the smaller things. You’ve been getting better about not just focusing on the job, but like the rest of us, you still have a ways to go.”

“The little things…” Morgana pondered. “Well, I’ve been really liking the little things as of late. Maybe it’s not so bad after all.”

“See?” Ren said. “And besides, come what may, I will be here for you, and so will everyone else.”

Morgana smiled. “Same here.”

Magician-Morgana: Rank 6

Morgana yawned. “We should really get to bed.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. She got under the covers. “Good night,” she said.

“Good night,” Morgana replied. They closed their eyes and fell asleep.

Notes:

And with that, the Futaba arc is done. This has been the longest arc so far, and I suspect that future arcs might be longer. It depends. I feel like when the story gains more of a focus later, it might not be as long, but I also plan to expand on the world as well, so maybe not. We'll see.

To explain why, I'm going to let you in on something: I'm a little unsure if the first day of school is going to be one chapter or two because of all of the stuff I want/need to include. That might be a good indication of things to come. Figuring out how to strike a balance between the plot and the confidants and their stories going forward might be tricky, but I think I've been doing well so far.

As for how I think this arc turned out, I really liked it. I did kind of shotgun Futaba's palace, but I think it made sense in the context of the story. And it opened up so much more, including the mini-arc that gav us Lena. That was a little unexpected, even on my part, but I think it's woring out for the better. I really like Lena as a character (and as a person), and it's helped me organize my story for the future.

Anyways, I can't want to show you what I have in store. Thank you for staying with me this far, and I hope you'll see it through with me despite it taking a while. I wish nothing but the best for you all, and I hope you enjoy.

Chapter 128: From Dawn...

Notes:

Man, nothing says "comfort writing project" like "I was really cold and needed this to warm me up". So, yeah I'm back a little sooner than I expected (well, maybe not, depending on who you ask, or even when you ask me). However, I also am separating the first day of school back from summer break into two chapters because there's a lot I wanted to fit in. And honestly, I'm not sure if the next chapter is going to be longer or shorter. I think there might be fewer scenes, but there may be more to said scenes. Anywho, the next chapter might take a little bit to complete as well (Or maybe not, depending). For now, enjoy this chapter.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Ren was getting changed into her uniform. Once she finished, she turned to Morgana and asked “You ready to go back to school?”

Morgana turned to face and said “Um, yeah.”

“I know it’s not the most fun,” Ren said, “but we can’t help it.”

“You’re right,” Morgana said. He hopped in Ren’s bag. “Now let’s go.” Ren picked up the bag and headed downstairs.

When she got downstairs, she saw Sojiro not in uniform. “Hey?” Ren said, slightly confused.

“Hey,” Sojiro replied. “I’m taking you to school today.”

“OK?” Ren said. “Why?”

“I have some business I need to attend to,” Sojiro said.

“OK then…” Ren said.

Sojiro nodded. “Let’s get going.” Sojiro started walking out. Ren was still a little confused, but followed Sojiro to his car.

Meanwhile, at the Niijima household, Makoto and Sae were getting ready to leave. “Hey,” Sae said. Makoto looked up. “Are you doing alright?” Makoto seemed a little confused. “You’re going to be graduating in six months or so. I just want you to be ready.”

“Oh,” Makoto replied. “I appreciate the concern. In truth, I’m thinking of a few things. But I’ll make sure if I need anything to come to you. When you’re not busy, of course.”

“I’m sure there are people who are willing to help you even when I am busy,” Sae said.

“Oh. Right. Of course,” Makoto said. “I just didn’t want to disrespect you. I mean, you are my sister after all.”

“Right,” Sae said. There was a brief pause. “Well, I think we should get going. Neither of us want to be late.”

“Of course,” Makoto said. “Will I see you tonight?”

“I’m not sure,” Sae answered. “The fallout from this Medjed-Phantom Thieves debacle is a headache in it of itself.”

“Oh,” Makoro replied. “Well, good luck. And take care.”

Sae looked at Makoto. “You take care too. Bye.” Sae walked out.

“B…Bye sis,” Makoto said, still feeling a disconnect between her and her sister. She left as well.

On their way to school, Sojiro turned the radio on. “And today’s top story is the continuation of the government’s recent issues. It all came to a head this morning, as the Diet voted overwhelmingly for a Motion of No Confidence. The current ruling party is set to dissolve the government and hold elections by the end of the year so a new government can be set up.”

“Pfeh,” Sojiro scoffed. “Unless something drastic happens, there isn’t anything a new government can do to alleviate anything.”

“Strong words,” Ren said.

“Well, I've worked with them for a long time,” Sojiro said. “Aside from a few, they aren’t as righteous as they claim to be.”

“Well, I don’t imagine politics is a very holy field of work,” Ren replied.

“Kid, there’s a difference between not being a Saint and being a complete asshole,” Sojiro remarked. “I’d thought you of all people would be able to tell the difference.”

Ren giggled. “True.”

Sojiro sighed. “Still, if anything, a new government might do just enough so we don’t completely collapse. But even then, it’d be a wash.”

“Have you thought about running?” Ren asked. “You have a political background. You could probably hold your own.”

“Nah,” Sojiro said. “I barely escaped politics once, and it cost me dearly…I’d rather not do that again.”

“Right,” Ren said. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s OK,” Sojiro said. “I understand where you’re coming from.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. They continued on their way to Shujin.

Sae arrived at the prosecutor’s office. She walked with force and purpose. Everyone around her could feel the ice coming off of her and decided to keep their distance. Sae didn’t care. She had a lot more on her mind. The Medjed members we’ve rounded up don’t seem to know who the Phantom Thieves or this ‘Original Medjed’ are. Furthermore, none of them know anything we don’t about the mental shutdowns. You’d think they’d find some morsel of information on the dark web or something.

No matter. Based on everything we have, we are narrowing down this investigation. I already have some ideas I wish to explore. There is a definite pattern in what we have, so I think we’ll get somewhere.

This has to work out. It HAS to. This is Tokyo’s…no, Japan’s biggest case in a long time. If I can crack it, then I’ll be on the fast track to the top. And once that happens…Makoto won’t have to suffer like I do. She kept going.

As she approached her office, she saw a woman she had never seen before at a desk just outside her office. She had long brown hair, auburn eyes with one of them being covered by the hair, a purple sweater, and a long blue skirt. Sae was confused.

The woman looked up. “Oh hi,” she greeted. “Are you looking for Sae Niijima?”

“I AM Sae Niijima,” she responded

“Oh,” the woman said. “My apologies.”

“What is the meaning of this?” Sae asked.

“If you don’t mind…” The SIU director interjected, coming from behind Sae.

“Sir!” Sae said, a little surprised.

“I figured you’d have some questions. This is Riko Sakurai,” the director said. “Starting today, she will act as your assistant.”

“Pleasure to meet you,” Riko replied.

“...Right,” Sae said, still stunned. She turned to the director. “Will you excuse us for a minute, Riko?”

“Of course,” she replied.

“Thank you,” Sae said. She walked away and the director followed her.

“What seems to be the issue?” the director asked.

“With all due respect sir, do you really think I’m so incompetent that I need an assistant?” Sae asked.

“Of course not Niijima,” the director said. “Without a doubt, you are one of the brightest prosecutors I’ve had in years.”

“Then why-”

“This isn’t just about you,” the director said. “I’m sure you’ve heard, the government voted on a Motion of No Confidence. As someone who has their hands in a lot of different cookie jars, I had foreseen this conclusion a while ago, and decided to make preparations.

You see, this whole office is going to be in a frenzy trying to clean up all the government’s mistakes and prepare for what’s to come, as well as keep up on the cases they are currently working on. I’m not pulling you away from any of your cases, nor am I asking you to focus on anything new, since you’re already working on several high-profile cases, including the Phantom Thieves case. But from here on, you'll find it harder for anyone to lend you their ear, as they’ll be busy with their own thing, at least until the election.

Now, Sakurai will be there to help keep you organized when you need it. She worked as a librarian at the court library, and everyone I’ve spoken to said she’s the right fit for the job. She’s kind, efficient, and very organized. I know it’s not your strong suit, but do try to make her feel welcome.”

Sae stood firm for a moment to internally recover from the jab her boss gave her. “I understand sir.”

“That’s the spirit,” the director said. “If you need me, make sure you message me beforehand. As I’ve stated, we’re all going to be busy, and with me at the head, I’m going to be busier than ever.”

“Of course sir,” Sae said.

“Well, take care,” the director said. He walked back to his office. As he was walking, he got a phone call. “Hello?...Oh yes…Don’t worry, I’ve taken care of it…Of course…Thank you…Have a good day.” He hung up and continued on.

Sae walked back towards her office, stopping at Riko’s desk. Riko looked at her curiously. Sae bowed. “From today onward, I’ll be in your care.”

Riko was a little stunned. “Oh…well…you don’t have to be so formal with me.”

“Very well,” Sae said. “I hope we can work well together.”

Riko smiled. “Me too.”

Sae nodded. “I’ll be in my office. If I need anything, I’ll call.”

“Sure thing, Miss Niijima,” Riko said. Riko went back to doing what she was doing earlier, while Sae entered her office. She looked back at Riko again. She was curious as to how this would all play out.

As Sojiro and Ren got close to the school, Sojiro pulled over. Ren looked at him. “You can walk from here, right?”

“Uh, yeah,” Ren answered, still a bit puzzled.

“You should get going,” Sojiro said. “You don’t want to be late, do ya?”

“Uh, no,” Ren said. She got out. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Sojiro said. She closed the door and he left. Ren made her way to school.

As she was walking, she heard Ryuji call out “HEY!” He rushed up to her. He yawned. “Mornin’.”

“Good morning,” Ren said.

Ryuji yawned again. “Going back to school is kind of a pain, ya know?”

“Eh, we’ll get used to it again before you know it,” Ren said.

“That’s exactly what I’m afraid of,” Ryuji remarked.

Ren giggled. “Oh, by the way, did you hold up your end of the deal?”

Ryuji sighed. “Why do you think I’m so tired? Ugh.”

Ren giggled again. “Well, it’s important to keep your head above water. If you had to stay behind for extra classes or something, we wouldn’t have you if we needed to get into some action.”

“Well, when you put it like that…” Ryuji relented.

“Oh, that reminds me,” Ren said. She got out her phone.

Ren: I think we should meet up today to discuss things going forward.

Makoto: I agree.

Yusuke: I’d like to as well, now that Futaba is more sociable.

Futaba: Now we just gotta spend some time working on getting you more sociable Inari.

Yusuke: How rude!

Sumire: Well, whatever we’re planning, we need to make sure it happens before the 6th or after the 13th.

Ryuji: How come?

Sumire: Well, my coach signed us up for some special training.

Sumire: We’ll be leaving on the afternoon of the 6th, and we’re coming back the afternoon of the 13th.

Ann: Come to think of it, the second years also have a field trip coming up.

Lena: It won’t be as long, but it’ll still be most of us away from Tokyo for a little while.

Yusuke: All the more reason to meet up sooner.

Jose: If you’re going away for a while, do you have someone who can take care of Morgana for you?

Ren: I think Sojiro and Futaba can watchim just fine.

“Mmm,” Morgana pouted. “I can take care of myself.”

“We know,” Ren said. “But there’s safety in numbers.”

“I guess…” Morgana said.

Futaba: Don’t worry Jose, you can come by whenever you like to visit.

Jose: Yay!

“Well, it wouldn’t be the worst thing,” Morgana said.

Ren: Morgana’s excited too.

Jose: Can’t wait!

“Don’t put words in my mouth!” Morgana protested. Ren chuckled. “Mmm, well, I guss it’s fine.”

Makoto: So, we meet up today to discuss what our plan is from here on, yes?

Ryuji: Sounds about right.

Makoto: Very well.

Makoto: Make sure you’re paying attention in class today.

Ryuji: Don’t remind me.

They continued on to school.

As they were walking to the door, they heard someone go “Woah!” Ren looked over to see a girl carrying a handheld sprinkler about to trip over. Without gestation, she rushed over to save her. The girl looked up at Ren. “Thank you.” Ren was surprised for a second. This girl was really pretty, and also had a regal air about her. “Uh, don’t mention it,” she said, cooling down a bit. 

The girl steadier herself. “Really, I appreciate it,” she said. “If I’d have fallen, then these flowers would have to wait longer to get this water.”

“Right…” Ren said. “But, um, what about you?”

Ryuji ran over. “Woah, are you alright?!” he asked.

“Oh,” the girl said. “I’m fine.” Ren noticed something. When talking about herself, this girl seemed despondent, if only for a second. “Well, thanks again.”

“Huh?” Ren said, snapping her out of her train of thought. “Oh. Yeah. Don’t mention it.” The girl nodded, and proceeded to water the flowers. Ren and Ryuji continued on.

Ryuji looked at Ren. “Is somethin’ the matter?”

“Oh, uh,” Ren replied, “well…”

“I mean, I know she’s cute and all,” Ryuji continued, “but we’re both dating someone.”

Ren chuckled and rolled her eyes. “Not that. Although, she was pretty cute. But something about her seemed off, you know?”

“Uh, maybe?” Ryuji said. “...Not really.”

“Hmmm,” Ren said. “Well, maybe it’s just my imagination then.”

“Maybe,” Ryuji said. “Between school coming back, and the Pha…thing we just texted about, there might just be a lot on your mind. Well, that’s the case with me at least.”

“I hope you’re right, Ryuji,” Ren said. The two headed to class.

Meanwhile, Sumire was heading to class while carrying something kind of big box under a pink napkin with a red sakura flower pattern. “Hey,” she heard.

She turned around to see Kisa. “Oh. Hi Kisa. What’s up?”

“I, uh,” Kisa began, “I just wanted to apologize for not making it to your performance.”

“Oh, don’t worry,” Sumire said. “Makoto told me you wouldn’t make it. It was your grandma’s birthday, right?”

“Right,” Kisa explained. “As much as I would have liked to watch, I think spending time with my family is important.”

“Trust me,” Sumire said. “You don’t need to tell me how important family is.”

Kisa remembered Sumire telling her her sister died, and nodded. “Right… So, um, do you know when your next one is?”

Sumire shook her head. “Not yet. But I should know sooner than later.”

“Alright,” Kisa said. “Well, just tell me when you know, and I’ll see if I can make it.”

“Will do,” Sumire said.

They started walking to class. Kisa asked “So, what’s under there?”

Sumire giggled. “It’s a surprise.”

Ryuji made his way to his classroom, sat in his seat, and sighed. “Good morning,” Lena said.

Ryuji looked up. “Oh. Right. Good morning.”

Lena chuckled. “You seem a little flustered.”

“Well, uh, I’m…just…not used to you saying hi?” Ryuji said. “Ugh, that sounds bad.”

“No, I get it,” Lena said. “I’m not used to saying hi either…”

Ryuji frowned. “Um, well, I mean, we’re starting school again, so we can make a fresh start. New beginnings and all that…”

Lena smiled. “Yeah. Thanks Ryuji.”

“No problem,” he replied. “And uh if you need anything, you can come to us. Or Dr. Maruki. He’s actually pretty good at listening to you.”

“...I’ve been wanting to go,” Lena said, “but I’ve always been afraid my mom would find out somehow.”

“Well now ya got nothing to worry about,” Ryuji said. “When it comes to that, I mean…”

Lena chuckled. “Thanks Ryuji.”

“Ah, good morning,” Hiroki said. Ryuji and Lena turned towards him. “Sorry for interrupting.”

“Uh, hi,” Ryuji said.

“Hello,” Lena said.

“I see you’ve gotten a little more sociable over the summer, Miss Minamoto,” Hiroki said.

“Um, you could say that,” Lena said.

“Ah! Forgive me,” Hiroki responded. “I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable.”

Lena smiled. “It’s fine.” Ryuji lightly chuckled.

Hiroki turned to Ryuji. “How are you doing, Sakamoto?”

“Um, fine, I guess,” Ryuji answered. “I’m a little tired.”

“Finishing up your homework?” Hiroki asked. Ryuji was alarmed that he got the answer right. “Well, I guess now you can breathe easy.”

“You have no idea,” Ryuji remarked.

“Hm hm,” Hiroki chuckled. “So, did anything good happen this summer?”

“Uh, well,” Ryuji thought. Lena was a little worried Ryuji might let it slip that they are the Phantom Thieves. “Oh yeah! You know Takamaki?”

“I do,” Hiroki nodded.

“Well, we started going out!” Ryuji exclaimed.

Hiroki was impressed. “Really?”

“Really really,” Ryuji replied.

“Huh. Cool,” Hiroki said. He grew a little more enthusiastic. “So, how’d you ask her?”

“Um… She asked me,” Ryuji answered.

“Oh,” Hiroki said, a little surprised. “I see. Well, that’s good too.”

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji said.

“Well, congratulations,” Hiroki said. “So, where’d you go on your first date?”

Ryuji was in agony. “Not again…”

Hiroki was puzzled. “Is something the matter?”

“Ryuji and Ann are still a relatively new couple,” Lena explained. “They’re still easing into things.”

“I see,” Hiroki said.

“Well, I mean, we did walk the beach together,” Ryuji said. “Is that something?”

“It sounds quite nice,” Hiroki said.

“And we also hung out at the arcade together,” Ryuji continued. “That’s something too!”

“Well, it’s not my first choice, but it’s something,” Hiroki said.

“I mean, I want to take Ann on a real date,” Ryuji explained, “but I’m just afraid I’ll screw it up somehow.”

“Well, I mean, she asked you out,” Hiroki said. “You’d have to screw up REEEEEEEALLY bad to make that not the case.”

“Well, if anyone can do it, it’s me…” Ryuji said.

“Aw, don’t be like that,” Lena said. “I’m sure you’ll be just fine.”

“She’s right,” Hiroki said. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but ever since Kamoshida was arrested, you’ve been improving little by little.”

Ryuji reflected on his time with the Phantom Thieves. “You know, I think I have noticed.”

“Well then, that’s why I’m sure you’ve got his!” Hiroki cheered.

“He heh,” Ryuji chuckled. “Thanks.”

Meanwhile, after Ren sat down in her seat, Ann turned to her. “Hey!” she said.

“Hi,” Ren replied.

“So, don’t you feel like summer vacation always goes by too fast?” Ann lamented. “I mean, I guess school is important, but…”

Ren chuckled. “Man, you and Ryuji really DO belong with each other.”

Ann blushed slightly and rolled her eyes. “Shut up.”

Ren giggled some more. “To answer your question, we did do a lot this summer. We didn’t have that much time to let the summer wash over us.”

“I guess that's true,” Ann agreed. “But still. You know, as much as I love Phantom Thieving, I kind of hope this is all said and done before winter break. You know, so we can enjoy that to its fullest.”

Ren nodded. “Me too.”

Miss Kawakami entered the classroom. “Alright class, listen up!” she announced. “I know you’re just getting back from summer vacation, but don’t forget, you have a field trip coming up.” The class started to murmur. “Ahem!” Kawakami said, commanding attention. “You’re going to Hawaii. So make sure your passports are up to date.” Kawakami frowned slightly. “You kids are lucky. Going to Hawaii on a school trip.” The students started muttering again.

Ann turned back to Ren. “Ooo, Hawaii sounds fun. Plus, it might give us an extension of our summer break.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Plus, since it’s school-sanctioned, I don’t have to worry about my parole being violated.”

“Oh. Right,” Ann said. “Man, this sucks.”

“Sorry,” Ren said.

“It’s fine,” Ann replied. “I just wish we met under better circumstances.”

“Well, true friendship is forged in fire,” Ren said.

“Perhaps,” Ann said. “Beides, we’re here now, and that’s all that matters.” The two girls giggled.

In his office, Principal Kobayakawa was on the phone, and looking worried. “WHAT?!...YOU leaked the Kamoshida story to the press…But sir, this will surely reopen the investigation…You WANT that?!...But sir…No, I haven’t forgotten…I’ll get you the information on the Phantom Thieves, I just need more ti-...Ummmm…Hello?...Sir?” The person on the other end hung up. Kobayakawa hung up as well. “Ugh,” he said, falling apart. “What am I going to do now?”

His intercom buzzed “Sir!” the secretary said. “Someone is here to see you.”

“Already?!” Kobayakawa panicked. He pressed the button to respond. “Send them in.” Much to his relief, it wasn’t a surprise investigator, but Sojiro. “Ah, Mr. Sakura. Welcome. To what do I owe the pleasure? Has Ren fallen out of grace?”

“Quite the opposite,” Sojiro said. “Mind if I sit down?”

“Go ahead,” Kobayakawa invited.

Sojiro sat down. “I’m not here about Ren. I’m here about the school.”

“Of course,” Kobayakawa said. “How may I help?”

“Well, you probably don’t know this,” Sojiro said, “but I have a daughter of my own.”

“Oh?” Kobayakawa said.

“I’m looking into different schools for when she enters high school,” Sojiro said. “I want to make sure this is the right choice.”

“Ah, I see,” Kobayakawa said. “Well, I can assure you, this school is perfect. I mean, after all, someone else in your care is here, right?”

Sojrio scowled. “She’s only here because no other school would take her in.”

“Just another example of our benevolent nature,” Kobayakawa responded.

“Sure,” Sojiro said. “Look, I’m just going to cut to the chase. Back in May, you had a PE teacher confessing to abuse of all kinds. Why should I believe you’ve changed, and that this school is safer now?”

Kobayakawa turned stone faced. “What happened with Mr. Kamoshida was terrible, but we had no idea it was happening.”

“Hmpf,” Sojiro scoffed. “I’ve heard that lie more times than I can count.”

“Pardon?” Kobayakawa said, confused.

“I’m not stupid,” Sojiro sneered. “Do you think I would believe you didn’t know?”

“Well, if we had known, we would have done something about it,” Kobayakawa protested.

“Uh huh,” Sojiro said. “I know this song and dance too well. And to be frank, you’re not even that good at it.” He grew more intense. “If you didn’t know about it, how come the Phantom Thieves seemed to?”

“Why don’t you ask them?” Kobayakawa said, defensively.

“Well, it seems like they only go after terrible people,” Sojiro said. “And this was before the existence of that website. So, how could this group of unknowns figure out something this terrible was happening under your watch if you couldn’t? Even if I were to believe you, that seems like a huge oversight.”

“Pah!” Kobayakawa said, angrily. “You believe that crap? Their righteousness is false. They probably just went after someone famous and ended up finding a closet full of skeletons.”

Sojiro was intrigued. “Is that why you protected him? Because he was famous?”

“Of course not,” Kobayakawa said. “We couldn’t have protected him. Like I said, we didn’t know.”

Sojiro glared. “Obstinate to the bitter end, I see.” He stood up. “I think it’s pretty clear that I need to keep my options open.” He smeared. “But maybe if this school comes under new management, I might reconsider.”

Something in Kobayakawa snapped. He slammed his hands on his desk and stood up. “I AM THE BEST PRINCIPAL TO HAVE EVER RUN THIS SCHOOL!” he shouted. “MAKE NO MISTAKE, YOUR TRANSGRESSION SHALL NOT BE TOLERATED!” He was breathing heavily.

Sojiro was stunned for a second, but didn’t break. “I think you’ve just proved my point.” He turned around. “I guess I’ll just leave you be.” He walked out of the room.

Kobayakawa was still breathing heavily. Finally, he gave in and slumped in his chair. “Ohhhhhhhh…” he moaned. “What am I gonna do?”

After Sojiro left Kobayakawa’s office, he began his trek to leave the school. As he was on his way out, he bumped into someone. “Oh. Pardon me, ma’am,” he said.

“It’s quite alright,” responded the person he bumped into. He looked at her. It was Coach Hiraguchi. Hiraguchi looked him over. “I don’t think I’ve seen you before.”

Sojiro was a little surprised. “Well, ahem, I’m usually busy at this time,” he explained. “I only came here today to investigate possible schools for my daughter.”

Hiraguchi paused for a moment. “I see. Well, how do you find this school?”

“Well… I just got done talking with the principal…” Sojiro said.

“And?” Hiraguchi inquired.

“Well… Let’s just say I have some high standards,” Sojiro said.

“And he didn’t meet them, correct?” Hiraguchi said. Sojiro was a little surprised. “I’m familiar with his…let’s say, shortcomings as a person.”

“I see…” Sojiro said.

Hiraguchi smiled. “Forgive me. I’m the interim gym teacher.”

Sojiro was confused. “You…know what happened with the last gym teacher, right?”

“What do you take me for?” Hiraguchi responded.

“Sorry,” Sojiro apologized. “Like I said, I just got done talking with the principal.”

“Right,” Hiraguchi said. “Well, I’ve only been here for a little while, but I can tell you about my experience here if you’d like.”

Sojiro nodded. “Well, um, I planned to look into a few different schools in the area today,” he explained. “So if it’s all the same to you, maybe we could meet up after school.”

Hiraguchi nodded. “Very well. Shall I give you my contact information? Then we can find a place to meet up.”

“Oh, of course,” Sojiro said, fishing his phone out of his pocket. “Miss…?”

Hiraguchi smiled. “Hiraguchi. Kokoro Hiraguchi.”

Sojiro smiled. “Sakura. Sojiro Sakura.”

They exchanged contact information. “Thank you,” Hiraguchi said. “I’m looking forward to tonight.”

“As am I,” Sojiro said. They nodded at each other and went their separate ways. Sojiro grinned. A slight blush appeared on his face. “Kokoro, huh. What a lovely name.”

As lunch began, Ren got a message from Sumire.

Sumire: Hey.

Sumire Could we meet?

Sumire: Just the two of us?

Ren smiled.

Ren: Sure.

Sumire: Thanks!

Sumire: At the vending machines?

Ren: Sure.

Sumire: Great!

Sumire: See you soon!

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and headed out to meet Sumire.

Once she arrived, she saw Sumire sitting at a table with her surprise. “Uh, what’s this?” Ren asked.

“Hm hm,” Sumire chuckled. She tore off the napkin to reveal a stack of two bento boxes. “Ta-da! I made lunch for the both of us. I figured we could eat together today. You know, to welcome us back to school.”

Ren was in shock. Her face turned red. She smiled. “I don’t deserve you.” Sumire giggled. Ren sat down.

Sumire handed Ren her bento box. “Here you go!”

Ren accepted it. “Thank you.” She opened it up. Inside was a row of octopus sausages, a pen of apple rabbits, and a helping of rice with seaweed in the shape of a heart on top. “Wow. I’m speechless.” She picked up one of the octopus sausages and ate it. She was delighted. “This is amazing!”

Sumire blushed. “Thanks…” Ren continued eating her gift bento. After Sumire composed herself, she started eating.

After they finished, Ren said. “THAT was amazing.”

Sumire chuckled. “You said that like 15 times.”

“Well, it continues to be true,” Ren countered. They both giggled. Ren looked at Sumire. “Thanks for doing this.”

“Of course,” Sumire said. “Any time.”

Ren checked the time. “We should get going. Class is going to start again soon.’

“Right,” Sumire said. “Hm. I can’t wait until we can do this kind of thing more often.”

Ren smiled. “Me too.” They stood up. “Well, seeya.”

“Seeya…” Sumire said, bashfully. The two of them didn’t move. They instead gave into their urges and started making out a little.

Ren separated them from their brief smooch session, and both of them were flustered a little. “That was…”

“Yeah…” Sumire agreed.

“Well, seeya for real, I guess.”

“Yeah.” They exchanged a parting kiss, and walked off.

Unbeknownst to them, however, a figure was observing them from the shadows. They looked at their phone. They saw the picture they took of Ren and Sumire mid-embrace.

Notes:

I will admit, I kind of forgot to bring Kisa to Sumire's second performace, but I Bob Rossed it and turned it into a happy little accident. That scene was really nice, and I quite liked it. It's one of those things that happens only in this kind of format. If I were planning this out, I would have brought Kisa along. But now, I'm glad I didn't, because it gave us that nice scene.

Part of me is a bit worried about how much the plot accelerates and if I can maintain momentum. Like I said, I'm breaking up September 1st into two chapters, and I wonder how things will go from there. Especially since I am making changes to the plot, and I have to account for those changes. The Futaba arc took a while, and it only goes faster here.

Still, I think I can do it. I mean, I've come this far. Besides, I really love writing this story. (So much so that I sometimes get ahead of myself in my thought process). And I really hope you're loving this story too.

Chapter 129: ...Till Dusk

Notes:

This chapter is definitely longer. Hoo boy. I probably could have added one of these scenes to the previous chapter, but I had no idea I was making a chapter this long. This does highlight the difficulty of writing this going forward, but I think it'll be alright. I hope I don't overwhelm you with chapters that are too long. Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sae was busy working on her cases. As her boss had told her, everyone else was being pulled away in every direction to account for the sheer chaos the day had brought. She didn’t mind. As helpful as her coworkers could be in any given situation, there was always something of a gap between them and her.

There was a knock at her door. “Come in!” she said.

Riko opened the door. “I brought you that file you asked for.”

Sae sighed. “This is the third time I’ve told you, if it’s just you, you don’t need to knock.”

“Well, I think it’s just good manners,” Riko replied. “You could be frustrated and not want me in here.”

“I suppose you’re right,” Sae replied. Riko handed her the file. “Thanks.”

“No problem,” Riko said. Her stomach growled. “Heh heh,” she laughed nervously. “Sorry.”

Sae’s stomach growled at the same time. Sae grew embarrassed as well. “I suppose we should both take a break to get something to eat.”

“Good idea,” Riko said.

Sae looked at Riko. She remembered her boss’ words. “I know it’s not your strong suit, but do try to make her feel welcome.” Sae did want to make her feel welcome (and also prove her boss wrong). “Say, why don’t we eat together?”

“Are you sure?” Riko asked.

Sae nodded. “We’re both hungry. And also, this could be a good opportunity to get to know each other better. After all, this was kind of a surprise. At least for me.”

“Well, I can’t argue with that…” Riko agreed.

“So, is there any place you like going?” Sae said.

“Oh,” Riko exclaimed, put on the spot. “I thought you’d decide where we go.”

“Well…” Sae said. She was hesitant. “The truth is, I’m so busy with all my work that I can’t focus on much else. Especially since this whole Phantom Thieves thing. So I just go to wherever’s close.”

“I see,” Riko said. “Well, that’s sort of why I’m here, isn’t it?” Sae nodded. “In that case, I know a great Korean Barbeque place not too far from here.”

“Lead the way,” Sae said. Riko nodded, and the two women headed off.

They had arrived and placed their orders. “Ah. I can’t wait,” Riko said.

“You must really love this place,” Sae said.

“Totally,” Riko replied.

Sae gave her an inquisitive look. “Do you know a lot of good restaurants in the area?”

Riko nodded. “Yeah. Not just around here, but all over the city.”

“I see,” Sae smiled. “Perhaps you can take me to one of them the next time we do this.”

“Eh heh,” Riko laughed, nervously. “I’m glad you believe they’ll be a next time.”

“Of course,” Sae said. The waiter came over and delivered their food. “Thank you.” Riko started eating hers. Sae took one bite. A wave of flavor washed over her, and she was stunned. “Wow. This really is excellent.”

“Hm hm. Told ya!” Riko said, cheerfully.

“I had no doubts,” Sae said. They two continued eating. After a little while, Sae gave Riko a curious look.

Riko noticed this. She finished swallowing her food. “What?”

“I’m just wondering something,” Sae replied. “Tell me: How do you feel about the Phantom Thieves?”

Riko was surprised. “Um, why do you want to know that?” she asked nervously. “I mean, you’re investigating them, right?”

“It’s because I’m investigating them that I am asking,” Sae said. “If I want to succeed, I have to take everything into account. I’ve talked with people who say they were saved by the Phantom Thieves. Understanding how they are perceived gives me a leg up when investigating them. So I will ask again: How do you feel about the Phantom Thieves?”

Riko was a little surprised. She took a deep breath. “Well, um, I guess to be honest, I actually really like the Phantom Thieves.”

“Oh?”

Riko nodded. “Based on everything I’ve seen, they seem to really care about the people they’re helping. Besides, a part of me likes the fact that they aren’t marred down by anything and get stuff done. Ah, I don’t mean to diminish the work you do. I think it’s just different. You have to go through all sorts of things to make sure you have everything right. I mean, as helpful as the Phantom Thieves may be, they can’t process the sheer volume of crimes your office does.”

Sae took a sip of her drink. “Our office,” she corrected. Riko was confused. “You work here now too, remember?”

“Oh, right…” Riko said, slightly embarrassed.  “Eh heh.”

“It's fine,” Sae assured. “You’re still getting used to everything.” She took another sip. “But I will say, you have taken to the job quite well so far.”

“Thanks,” Riko replied.

“Getting back to the matter at hand,” Sae said. “I appreciate the words of kindness for our department. However, I will say I do sometimes wish I had the ability to get stuff done as quickly as the Phantom Thieves. But we must play with the hands we’re dealt with.”

“Right…” Riko said, slightly disappointed.

“However,” Sae continued. “That doesn’t mean we can’t reshuffle things. We just need to figure out how.”

Riko smiled. “Right.” They continued eating.

Once they finished, Sae said “I have to say, this has been one of the best lunches I’ve had in a while. Thanks for recommending this place. I have to remember it for later.”

Riko smiled and blushed. “Thanks.”

“And thanks for being such good company as well,” Sae continued.

Riko was blushing a little harder now. “Th…Thanks…” They paid and headed back to work.

As Ren was on her way back from lunch, an announcement came over the intercom. “Ren Amamiya, please report to the teacher’s room.” Ren was a little unsure, but headed over.

When she arrived, she was greeted by Miss Kawakami. “Hi,” she said.

Ren relaxed a little. “Hi.”

“Hm hm,” Kawakami chuckled. “I just wanted to tell you something.”

“What is it?” Ren asked.

Kawakami looked around to make sure no one else was around. “I told the Takases I’m not paying them anymore!” she whispered excitedly.

“Really?” Ren wondered. Kawakami nodded. “Well that’s great!”

“I know!” Kawakami said. “Finally, I can get back to being the teacher I want to be.”

“Um, Miss Kawakami!” a voice said. “A Mr. and Mrs. Takase are here to see you!”

“WHAT?!” Kawakami gasped.

The Takases stormed over in a huff. “What is the meaning of all of this?!”

“It’s like I told you, I believe I paid you more than enough,” Kawakami said, standing firm.

“You’re putting a price tag on our son’s life?!” Mrs. Takase shrieked.

“Of course not,” Kawakami said. “Nothing I do could bring him back. But I believe I’ve done everything I can to honor him.”

“That’s NOT for you to decide!” Mr. Takase snapped.

Kawakami steeled herself. “I think Takase wanted me to be a great teacher to help others like him. And I intend to hold myself to that.”

“How can you speak for our Taiki?!” Mrs. Takase screamed. “You killed him!”

Kawakami felt that sting, but pressed on. “I disagree.”

“WHAT?!” Mrs. Takase shrieked.

“What happened to Taiki was unfortunate,” Kawakami said, “but it was an accident.”

Mr. Takase grew mad. “Listen here! You think you’re so high and mighty! You should have had your teaching license revoked! Although, I imagine the process will be fast when we tell the school you’re a sex-worker on the side.

Kawakami broke. “WHAT?!”

“Heh I knew it,” chuckled Mr. Takase. “Your teacher’s salary isn’t enough to pay us!”

“P-Please…” Kawakami begged.

“I’ll consider not saying anything IF you drop this nonsense of not paying us,” Mr. Takase said.

“...Fine,” Kawakami replied.

“That’s it,” Mr. Takase said. He turned to Ren. “Oh hey. It’s you. I bet you put her up to this.”

“And if I did?” Ren wondered.

“Psh,” Mr. Takase grumbled.

“We know you’re just trying to help someone,” Mrs. Takase said. “But trust me, she’s beyond redemption.”

“Really?” Ren said. “Because that sounds more like you two.”

The Takases were shocked. Mr. Takase raised his hand. “You LITTLE BI-”

“STOP!” Kawakami protested. “You leave her out of this! I’m the one you want!”

Mr. Takase stopped. He put his hand down. He stared down Kawakami. “We’re expecting your next payment soon.” The Takases walked out.

Kawakami resigned herself. She sighed. “Are you alright?” Ren asked.

Kawakami tried to smile. “Yeah.” Her smile broke almost immediately. “No.” She sighed again. “Maybe I am beyond redemption. I can’t do anything right.” She put her head in her hands. “Ugh! I’m such a failure.”

“That’s not true,” Ren tried assuring her.

“It is,” Kawakami said. “I can’t even break away from my past. My shame.”

“Uh, you don’t really work as a sex worker though, right?” Ren asked.

“I might as well, as far as the school is concerned,” Kawakami replied. “And I might have to now…” Kawakami sighed. “I wish someone could help me. I’d ask the Phantom Thieves, but after ignoring everything with Kamoshda, I doubt they’d help me…”

Ren grew a little determined. “Say…” Kawakami looked at her. “What are their names?”

Kawakami was stunned. “Their names? Why? Are you going to tell the Phantom Thieves?” Kawakami slumped over. “Well…I don’t really care, I guess. They’re names are Toshio and Hiromi Takase. I’ve had to write so many checks their names are burned into my memory. Just…be sure to not get involved yourself… You’re on probation as it is. I’d hate for you to get arrested again.”

Ren nodded. “I understand.”

Kawakami sighed and said “Take care…”

“Thanks,” Ren said. She left. Don’t worry. So long as my mask doesn’t come off, I should be fine.

During the afternoon classes, Ryuji messaged the group.

Ryuji: So, where are we meeting?

Makoto: What did I say about paying attention in class?

Ryuji: I am!

Futaba: TBH, I don’t think it would help much…

Ryuji: HEY!

Ren: I think the cafe will be fine.

Ann: Are you sure?

Ren: Sojiro said he had some business to attend to.

Ren: I don’t know if he’s back or not though.

Futaba: He’s not.

Yusuke: How can you be sure?

Futaba: Cameras.

Yusuke: Right.

Jose: Will you tell us if anything changes?

Futaba: Sure.

Futaba: If anything changes, just come over to my place.

Lena: Sounds like a plan.

Sumire: Can’t wait!

Ren put her phone away and went back to paying attention to class.

After school got out, Ren and Ann started to head out to meet the others. Before they could get far, they heard a sharp “HEY!” They turned around, and to their surprise, it was Yumeko Mogami: the weird stalker girl whose heart they changed. “I wanna talk with you!” She pointed at Ren, sending a jolt up her spine. Yumeko softened up. “Um…please?’

Ren and Ann were still surprised. “Uh, just a second…” Ren said. They huddled up. “What should I do?”

“Well…” Ann pondered. “We did change her heart. How dangerous could she be?”

“I guess…”

“Tell you what:” Ann said, “You can go with her, and I’ll stay behind. Just message me if things get too extreme.”

Morgana popped out. “And I’ll be there in case things go sour right away,” he said.

Ren smiled. “Thanks. You’re good friends.”

Ann nodded. “So are you.”

They got out of their huddle, and Morgana returned to the bag. “Alright then,” Ren agreed.

Yumeko got even more sheepish and said “Th-thanks…”

“So, do you want to talk here?” Ren asked.

Yumeko became more alert. “NO! … I mean…no…”

Ren was perplexed. “Um, alright…

Yumeko grew more serious. “Follow me.” She started walking.

“Alright then…” Ren said. She started following Yumeko.

As she was following Yumeko, Ren noticed her phone was going off.

Ann: Ren and I are going to be a bit late.

Ryuji: But she has the key!

Ann: Something came up.

Sumire: Oh no. Are you alright?

Ren: I think I’ll be fine.

Ren: I’m still a little nervous.

Ann: We have this under control.

Ryuji: Fine.

Futaba: I also have a key.

Ryuji: For real?!

Futaba: Yup!

Futaba: Although don’t tell Sojiro.

Yusuke: What do we do if he returns?

Futaba: I’m tracking his location through his phone.

Futaba: We can get out of there before he gets back.

Ryuji: You’re scary sometimes.

Futaba: I will take that as a compliment.

“Hey,” Yumeko asked. Ren looked up to see she was looking back at her. “Who are you texting?”

“Oh, just some friends,” Ren answered. “I was going to meet them when…”

“I see…” Yumeko said. She faced forward again. “Sorry…”

Ren smiled nervously. “You’re fine.” Their walk continued.

They eventually made their way to the room before the entrance of the roof. “And here we are.”

Ren was curious. “So, what’s this about?” Yumeko showed her her phone, and immediately Ren was paralyzed. It was a picture from earlier in the day where she and Sumire were in the middle of an embrace after lunch. Ren tensed up. “What do you want?” she asked, angrily.

Yumeko was a little frightened. “Um…advice…?” Ren was confused again. She turned her phone back to herself. “Based on these pictures, I can tell you two are something special… And I want that.” She put her phone away. “So I’m asking how.”

Ren was still a little tense, but let go somewhat. “I see…”

“I was kind of hoping we could sort this all out…” Yumeko said. “But… if you have friends to meet…”

Ren was still a bit on-guard. “Just to be clear, you have no problem with the fact that I’m dating another girl?”

“Huh?” Yumeko said. “No? Why would I?”

“Well…not so much you specifically…but you as a perfect stranger…” Ren explained.

“Oh… Right…” Yumeko said. “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!”

“Hey hey now,” Ren said, trying to calm her down. “Relax. I think we’re OK here.”

Yumeko calmed down a little. “Sorry… Thanks…”

Ren relaxed herself. “No problem.”

Yumeko sighed. “It’s just… I’ve been living in this dark vortex for some time. I only really broke free of it recently. But…I still haven’t adjusted to living a normal life and trying to get the boy I like normally. So I was hoping I could get some advice.”

Ren understood her concern well. “I see. Well, for starters, I don’t think this is a good way to try and talk to someone. And spying on someone definitely isn’t something that you do if you want to curry favor with them.”

Yumeko sighed. “Right…” She was starting to get agitated again.

“BUT,” Ren said, “once you explained things, I grew more open.”

Yumeko seemed intrigued. “Huh.”

“So what does that tell you?” Ren asked.

Yumeko thought about it. “UGH!”

“Hey, it’s OK,” Ren said. “It’s just you, me, and the floorboards here.”

Yumeko calmed down again. She continued thinking. “That I should be more open…?”

“See? You got it!” Ren said.

“But how?” Yumeko asked. “Everyone sees me as this…weirdo! How can I open up to someone who might shut the door on me?”

Ren really felt the pain in the question. She decided to respond honestly. “So, I wasn’t always that girl you see in that photo you took.”

This interested Yumeko. “You weren’t?”

Ren shook her head. “I had to work to get to that point.”

“I see,” Yumeko said, fully invested.

“And if I can do it, so can you,” Ren said.

“Are…are you sure?” Yumeko said.

“Positive,” Ren replied.

Yumeko looked at the ground. “I…guess it couldn’t hurt.”

Ren giggled. “And if you ever want to talk, just message me.”

Yumeko looked at her. “You mean it?” Ren nodded. “Does…does that mean we’re friends?”

“Yup,” Ren answered. “Friends.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Charity Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Charity-Yumeko Mogami: Rank 1

Yumeko cheered um immensely. “Yay! I made a friend.”

Ren nodded. “Now, just remember what I told you, and I’m sure you’ll make more friends.” She checked her phone. “I should get going.”

“Oh, right,” Yumeko said. “Your other friends.” She started waving enthusiastically. “Bye!” She charged down the stairs.

Ren waved more calmly. “Bye.” She headed down the stairs herself.

As she was heading down, Morgana popped out again. “Why did you help her?”

Ren grew a little solemn. “She…kind of reminded me of me…”

“I don’t think you went as psychotic as her,” Morgana said.

“Yeah,” Ren agreed. “I went in the opposite direction though. I regressed.”

“I see,” Morgana replied.

“I know how much I could have used a friend,” Ren continued. “So I think she could use one as well.”

Morgana smiled. “That’s such a you sentence.”

Ren giggled. “Thanks.” Just after she got all the way down, she almost bumped into the girl with the watering can. “Oh, sorry…” she said.

The girl laughed. “It’s quite alright. Nothing happened.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“Although, I have to wonder,” the girl said, “did…you go to the roof?”

Ren shook her head. “Just before.”

“OK then,” the girl replied. “I’m just asking because the roof is closed for everyone except club members.”

“And you’re one of them?” Ren asked.

The girl nodded. “I’m a member of the gardening club.”

“I see,” Ren said. “I should have been able to piece that together.”

“Well, I imagine you have a lot on your mind,” the girl said. “I sometimes get forgetful when I’m lost in thought.”

“Right,” Ren agreed.

“I’m sorry,” the girl said. “I didn’t mean to keep you waiting.”

Ren chuckled. “It’s fine. So, I’ll see you around then?”

“Yeah,” the girl said. Ren could detect a trace amount of hollowness in her voice. “See you around.” She walked up the stairs to go take care of her club duty.

Ren was curious about this girl, but couldn’t act without more information. She decided to put it on the backburner for now and got out her phone.

Ren: I'm on my way down now.

Ann: Sweet!

They switched to the group chat.

Ren: We’re on our way!

Jose: Alright!

Makoto: We can finally get this ball rolling.

Ryuji: I’m still concerned…

Futaba: Relax, Sojiro isn’t anywhere near here.

Ryuji: Well, if you say so.

Lena: I think that’s just who Ryuji is.

Futaba: Probably.

Ann: Definitely.

Ryuji: Why d’ya gotta be like that?

Ann: I think it’s sweet.

Ryuji: Well…if you think it’s sweet…

Jose: So flattery from Ann works on Ryuji, huh.

Ryuji: …

Ryuji: I’m just gonna shut up now.

Ren: Like I said, we’ll be there soon.

Ren put her phone away. She met up with Ann, and they headed to Leblanc.

On their way, Ann asked “So, what did she want?”

Ren was a bit embarrassed. “She…wanted a friend…”

“Huh?” Ann said.

Morgana popped out. “She needs help dealing with her change of heart.”

Ann was alerted. “She knew you did it?”

“No!’ Ren assured her. “She…called me out for…other reasons…”

Ann was confused again. “She hadn’t let go of everything as much as we’d like…” Morgana said.

“I see…?” Ann said, still a bit confused, but decided not to press on. “Anyway, I can’t wait until we get there.”

Ren nodded. “Right.” They continued on their way.

Meanwhile, there was a knock at the door to Dr. Maruki’s office. “Come in!” he called out. The door opened and Kawakami was standing there. “Oh. Miss Kawakami. What a surprise. How are you doing?”

Kawakami closed the door, walked over to the couch, flopped onto it, and screamed into the cushion. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“I…take it you’re not doing great,” Maruki said.

Kawkami lifted her head. “THAT’S an understatement.”

“Eh heh,” Maruki laughed nervously. “Well, I’m supposed to be here for the students…” Kawakami glared at him. “But I can’t turn down someone in need.” Kawakami sighed. “So, how may I help?”

Kawakami sat up. “Well, you know my secret…”

“Right…” Maruki said.

Kawakami groaned. “I don’t do that just for kicks.”

“Then why do you do it?” Maruki asked.

“Well, that’s the thing…” Kawakami said. She explained her circumstances.

Maruki was shocked by every detail. “Oh my!”

“Ugh, I know!” Kawakami said. “The worst thing is I feel like I’m in the palm of their hand. I hate that. I wanted to be something more. But… I can’t…”

Maruki was chilled by her harrowing story. He smiled hollowly. “You know… It’s times like this that I wish I could do more.” Kawkami was surprised. “But alas, all I can do is listen and offer support.”

“Well…” Kawakami said, sheepishly, “that’s not entirely a bad thing.” Maruki was surprised. “Just…having someone you can rely on means a lot. It’s…why I came here…”

Maruki smiled. “Right.”

Kawakami sighed. “I mean, when Amamiya-chan found out, I felt better just talking about all of this.”

“I see,” Maruki replied. He grew a little curious. “So, do you just want me to listen, or would you like some advice as well?” he asked.

“Hm,” Kawakami sighed. “Well…” She looked up at him. “Uhhhh…” She looked into his eyes, got a little startled, hung her head, and said “I don’t suppose any advice could hurt.”

“Hm,” Maruki responded. “I guess that’s true as well.” He began to think. “Hmmmmm. Well, I’m not entirely sure what to do. But it might help if you took a break from moonlighting like say once a week.”

Kawakami shook her head. “The Takase’s are very demanding. The only way I could afford to do that is if I…escalate my services...”

“Oh!’ Maruki said, surprised. “I…see…” Both of them got a little embarrassed. “Um, anyway… Hmmm. Well, I guess I could loan you some money.”

Kawakami was shocked. “WHAT?!” She looked away. “N-No…I couldn’t ask that of you…”

“Well, I’m offering,” Maruki explained.

“Still…” Kawakami moaned. “They’re bleeding me dry. I don’t want to owe money to someone else.”

“Well, what if I didn’t expect you to pay it back?” Maruki asked.

Kawakami was shocked. She frowned again. “I still couldn’t accept. I don’t want to drag someone down with me…”

“Hmmm,” Maruki said. “I know you said advice wouldn’t hurt…but we seem to be at an impasse.”

“Ugh,” Kawakami groaned. “I know…”

“Hmmm,” Maruki pondered. “Well, let’s try something from left field.”

Kawakami looked up at him, curious. “Like what?”

“Well, what if you asked the Phantom Thieves for help?” Maruki suggested. “They might be willing to intervene.”

“Oh…” Kawakami said, dryly.

Maruki was curious. “Ummmm, something the matter?”

“Well,” Kawakami said, “I think Amamiya might have that covered.”

“Huh?” Maruki asked.

“I mentioned earlier that I tried breaking it off with the Takases,” Kawakami explained, “but they came here and threatened me further.”

“Right.”

“Well, Amamiya-chan was with me during that,” Kawakami said. “And in my weakness, I suggested that. But it seems like she’s running with it. But still, that’s a maybe at best…”

Maruki was puzzled. “What makes you say that?”

Kawakami folded into herself. “Because of the whole Kamoshida thing.” Maruki was more confused. Kawkami looked up. “I mean, he was their first target, right? The Phantom Thieves might see me as someone who helped facilitate his behavior. I can’t say I blame them.”

“Did you?” Maruki asked.

“Not…really?” Kawakami said. She buried her head again. “Ugh. It’s so confusing.”

“Well, we have time,” Maruki said.

Kawkami looked back up. “Mmmm.” She remained silent for a bit. “I…had heard things…but when I went to Principal Kobayakawa, he told me things would be OK. And I believed him. And with what’s been happening with the Takases and I, I…couldn’t make time to make sure that that was true.”

“Hm,” Maruki reacted.

“And…there’s something else…” Kawakami admitted.

“Which is?” Maruki asked.

“Well…before his arrest, he and I had a really good rapport,” Kawakami said. “I…sort of developed a little crush on him.”

“OH!” Maruki said, surprised.

“I mean, if you didn’t know that side of him, he was an affable guy,” Kawakami said. “He’d always offer advice. And it was kind of easy to talk to him. In many ways, he reminded me of my high school boyfriend. But like my high school boyfriend, he turned out like that.”

“Oh my!” Maruki said, shaken to his core. “Um, pardon me for asking, but if your high school boyfriend was like Kamoshida, did he ever…?”

“Huh?” Kawakami said, surprised. “Oh, no! He wanted to leave me ‘pristine’. Well, he said he wanted both of us to be ‘pristine’, but he went around doing whatever and whoever he liked,” she said bitterly.

“Oof,” Maruki said. “He…sounds unpleasant, if you don’t mind me saying.”

“I said worse to his face when I broke up with him,” Kawakami replied. “The worst thing is, even after I broke up with him, people still blamed me for not keeping him in check. And…part of me thinks they’re right… Ugh! I feel so worthless.”

Maruki felt Kawakami’s pain. He stood up with determination, walked over to her, put his hands on her shoulders. She looked up at him, and he assured her “You are not worthless. You are not responsible for other people’s shortcomings. You are a kind and caring individual just caught in horrible circumstances. Believe me, you are perfect just the way you are.” Kawakami was surprised, and blushed. Maruki reacted with surprise and a blush of his own. He let go of Kawakami. “Eh heh, sorry. That was maybe a little forward of me.”

Kawakami calmed down. “No… I think I needed that. Besides, I’ve been putting up walls left and right. It’s only fair that if you wanted to get through to me, you needed to break out the wrecking ball.”

“Eh heh,” Maruki laughed nervously.

Kawakami smiled. “Well, I guess this doesn’t fix everything, but I’m glad I came here.”

“Eh heh, thanks,” Maruki said, slightly embarrassed. “Oh, and about whether or not the Phantom Thieves will help you, I don’t think you’ll need to worry about that.”

“Hm,” Kawakami responded. “Well, as much as I’d like to believe that, especially since you’re saying it, only time will tell.”

“Right…” Maruki said, wanting to keep his lips sealed.

Kawakami stood up. “Well, as much as I’ve enjoyed this, I should get going. I don’t want to be late.”

“For what?” Maruki asked. Kawakami gave him a puzzled look. “Oh, right. Sorry.”

Kawakami sighed. “It’s fine. Take care.”

“You too,” Maruki said. Kawakami left. “Hmmmm,” he wondered to himself. “I know the kids have been saying similar things, but it feels different coming from one of my peers…”

Meanwhile, Kawakami was on her way out of school. She was a little flustered herself. “What…what happened just now?” She continued on her way out.

Back in Sae’s office, she was looking through some documents. She was looking for something, anything, that could help unravel the case. Just then, something caught her eyes. She began looking into it a little further. “Hmmmm,” she pondered. She looked at her door.

She opened it to face Riko. Riko jolted up a little. “Uh, hi.”

“May I speak with you?” Sae asked.

Riko settled down. “Oh. Of course.”

Sae nodded. “Step into my office,” she said. Riko did. Sae sat back down in the chair. She gestured to one of the other chairs. “Please, have a seat.”

Riko sat down. “Erm, so Miss Niijima, why did you call me in here?”

“I just want some advice,” Sae said.

“By all means,” Riko said.

Sae nodded. She looked back at her laptop. “I’ve been going through some data, and I think I found something.”

“OK,” Riko said.

“The issue is that I don’t know if it’ll amount to anything,” Sae continued.

“Why is that?” Riko asked.

Sae sighed. “Because this whole mental shutdown-Phantom Thieves thing has been confusing from the word go. There’s not a lot of evidence to go off of. Not only that, but one mistake could tank this whole investigation, and me with it. I just want to make sure I have everything in order.”

“I see,” Riko said. “Well, what have you found for starters?”

Sae turned back to her laptop. “I was looking through the list of victims of the mental shutdown attacks, and I found one where a rather powerful person benefited from the attack. I continued looking, and found a few more.”

“I see,” Riko replied.

“I think if I keep searching, I’ll find more,” Sae said. “But investigating them will be tricky. Like I said, they’re powerful. And if I come at them with only a fraction of evidence, things could get messier here than they already are. But I feel like I’m heading in the right direction.” She looked back up at Riko. “What do you think I should do?”

Riko looked back at her. “That does sound a little tough.” She thought about it. “I agree that pursuing this thread when there’s so little of it is a high risk.” Sae nodded. “But sometimes you have to go all in on something to make it count. This situation especially, considering the nature of it.”

“So, you’re saying I should go for it?” Sae said.

“It’s either that, or do nothing,” Riko said. “And personally, I’d rather do something.”

Sae nodded. “I see. Thank you.”

Riko stood up and nodded. “Thank you for asking me.” She started heading out.

“Hey,” Sae called. Riko turned back. “I’d prefer it if you just called me Sae.”

Riko was stunned. “Oh no, I couldn’t do that Miss Niijima.”

“I’ve been calling you Riko,” Sae countered.

“Well…that’s…” Riko said, nervously. “I mean, you’re my boss.”

“Hm,” Sae grunted. “Well, if it’s too hard for you, then you can call me Miss Niijima in front of company. But I’d prefer you to address me as Sae when it’s just the two of us.”

Riko bowed. “Thank you Miss…I mean, Sae.” She became a little more flustered.

“Hm,” Sae smiled. “Thank you.” Riko went back to her desk. Sae continued her research.

Renn, Ann, and Morgana arrived at Leblanc. “Finally,” Ryuji said.

“We didn’t keep you that long, did we?” Ann asked.

“Nah,” Morgana said, popping out. “Ryuji’s just impatient.”

Ryuji growled. “Grrr. You little…”

“Um, let’s just get down to brass tacks,” Makoto said, trying to reign everything in. “So, let’s go over what we know.”

“We know Futaba’s mother was involved in the research into cognitive psience,” Yusuke said.

“And we know someone stole it,” Jose continued.

“And they killed Futaba’s mother to do it…” Sumire said.

“And I’m gonna make that bastard PAY!” Futaba said, slamming her fist on the table.

“Eh heh heh,” Makoto laughed nervously. “While I admire your enthusiasm, let’s keep things calm for now.”

“Sorry,” Futaba apologized.

“Don’t worry,” Ren said. “Makoto got pretty worked up herself when she first joined.”

“Really?!” Futaba said.

“That’s…” Makoto said. “...I did it in the right context.” Ren chuckled. “Shut it!”

“Sorry,” Ren said, not really sorry.

“Mmmm,” Makoto pouted. “Anyway, let’s continue.” Everyone nodded.

“So, whoever has the cognitive psience data is using it to trigger the mental shutdowns we’ve been hearing about so much,” Morgana summarized.

“But we don’t know who that could be,” Ryuji said. “And finding a lead is like finding a needle in a haystack.”

“We need something to give us the edge,” Ann said. “But what?”

They all gave it some thought. “Wait!” Ryuji called out. “Makoto, isn’t your sis like a prosecutor or something?”

Makoto sighed. “Yeah.”

“Right,” Lena said. “She’s working on the Phantom Thieves case, isn’t she? She might have some information that we don’t.”

“Yeah,” Makoto answered.

“Do you think we can get anything out of her though?” Morgana asked. “I doubt she’d be willing to spill any kind of secrets with you.”

“You’re right on that front,” Makoto said.

“Heh heh heh,” Futaba chuckled. “Does she have a computer?”

Makoto was stunned. “Well…she does have a laptop from work she brings home from time to time. Why do you ask?”

Futaba placed a flash drive on the table. “This contains the Futaba special. Just plug it it, and I can extract all of the data from it!”

“Uh, w-won’t she notice?” Makoto asked.

Futaba shook her head “She won’t notice a thing.”

“Hmmmm,” Makoto pouted. “I kind of hate to do this…” She picked it up. “But I don’t have much of a choice. I mean, whoever stole your mom’s research is doing monstrous things. And we’re the only people who can truly stop them!”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren said.

“Heh heh,” Futaba chuckled. “I like it when you get excited.”

“So, when can we expect the data?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh,” Makoto said, deflating. “Well, she doesn’t bring it with her every night.”

“Oh,” Ryuji replied.

“But with things heating up, I imagine it’ll happen sooner rather than later.”

“Well, if it’s before the 6th, I suggest that once you give us the data, we head into Mementos as well,” Ren said.

“Good idea,” Ann said. “It can also show that we’re still doing stuff after defeating Medjed.”

“Um, if it doesn’t happen before the 6th, you can go on without me,” Sumire said.

“Nah, we’re a team,” Ryuji said.

“Ryuji’s right,” Morgana added. “We’re all in this together.”

Sumire smiled. “Thanks guys.”

“Besides, we only leave a day later anyway,” Lena said. “But we wouldn’t do it without you.’

“Hm hm, thanks Lena,” Sumire said.

“Well, I imagine that this is as far as we’ll get for now,” Yusuke said.

“True,” Ren replied. “But we seem to have a plan going.”

“True,” Yusuke responded.

“Plus, I think with the information we get, we’ll be this much closer to our goal,” Jose pointed out.

“Also true,” Yusuke agreed.

“However!” Makoto interjected. “We also need to watch out for Eris.”

“Right…” Ryuji said.

“With most of us gone, she could strike,” Ann said. “And that would be unpleasant.”

“That’s putting it lightly,” Morgana said.

There was an air of despair in the room. Ren clenched her fist. “Well… We’re doing all that we can! I’m sure whatever Eris throws at us, we can handle it.” Everyone cheered up.

Morgana nodded. “Right! Well-put!”

“Well, should we get out of here then?” Yusuke wondered.

“Unless you want something to eat,” Ren said.

“Always,” Yusuke said.

“I dunno,” Jose said. “I feel like we’ve taken advantage of Boss as it is.”

“Well, we’ll just pay for our meals today,” Makoto offered.

Ryuji sighed. “There’s the honor’s student for ya.”

“Alas…my poor wallet,” Yusuke said.

“We’ll cover for you,” Ann said.

“Why thank you,” Yusuke said.

“Alright,” Ren said. “Just tell me what you want.” They gave their orders to Ren. “Alright. I’ll whip it up in a jiff. But first, I gotta go change.” She went upstairs. She came down a few minutes later wearing some casual clothes and an apron. She headed over and began cooking.

“You know, I’m surprised Boss hasn’t shown up,” Ryuji remarked.

“I kind of am too,” Futaba said. She checked her phone. “He’s still out and about.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said. “I wonder what he’s doing.”

Sojiro had just arrived at the diner on Central street. He had spent all day looking at possible schools for Futaba. He would have been returning by now, but he had an unexpected detour. He took a seat, and placed an order for himself.

A few minutes later, Coach Hiraguchi entered. Sojiro spotted her and waved her down. She noticed and stopped by. She looked at the drink he had. “A soda? No offense, but I thought of you as more of a coffee person.”

“Well,” Sojiro began. “I am. But I’m very particular about coffee. I don’t really trust it unless I brew it myself.”

“I see,” Hiraguchi said. She sat down.

“Do you want anything?” Sojiro asked.

“I might grab a water,” Hiraguchi said.

“I see,” Sojiro said. “You know the food here is pretty good. It would be rude not to try some.”

“I’ll think about it,” Hiraguchi said. “Now, let’s discuss Shujin.”

“And here you go,” the waitress said, setting down a big plate of fries.

Sojiro and Hiraguchi stared at each other. “I’ve been out all day. I’ve gotten pretty hungry. But if you want, I’m willing to share.”

“I see,” Hiraguchi said. She turned to the waitress. “I’ll have a glass of water.”

“Certainly!” she said. “That’ll be right up.” She left to get Hiraguchi’s water.

Hiraguchi grabbed one of the fries and ate it. Sojiro gave her a look. “I’m a bit peckish too.” Sojiro nodded.

“And here you are,” the waitress said, giving Hiraguchi her water.

“Thank you,” Hiraguchi said. The waitress left. She took a sip of her water. “Now, the reason why we’re here.”

“Right,” Sojiro said. He ate some of his fries. “So, what do you think of Shujin?”

Hiraguchi waited for a moment. “I think it’s a pretty solid school. I mean, it has its flaws, but so does every school.”

“True,” Sojiro said. “I’ve been to my fair share of schools today, and they all had their strengths and weaknesses. But my biggest concern with Shujin is the Principal.”

“Right…” Hiraguchi said. “I can’t say I was there during Kamoshida’s tenure, but he does have a certain air about him. It feels like he respects power and power alone.”

“Well letting that Kamoshida guy do as he pleases because he was an Olympian certainly proves that,” Sojiro said, eating some more fries.

Hiraguchi took another fry. “I see you’re quite clever.”

“My old job called for it,” Sojiro said.

Hiraguchi nodded. “Still, I feel like most of the teaching staff are decent. There is one person who’s a little on edge, but even he’s not terrible. I feel like it’s the administrative side that’s the issue.”

“Well, that’s a big issue,” Sojiro said. “Certainly not one I can overlook.”

Hiraguchi nodded. “I understand.” She ate some more fries, and then finished off her water. “Well, I guess that’s that.” She stood up. “If you change your mind, I wouldn’t mind having her as a student.” She started to leave.

Sojiro was confused. “Wait!” He called out. Hiraguchi turned back to him. “Um, well, while our discussion about Shujin may be done, I was hoping that, if you were interested, we could turn this into a casual affair.”

Hiraguchi paused for a moment. She got into Sojiro’s face, and said “I don’t DO casual affairs.” Sojiro was surprised. “When it comes to romance, much like everything I do, I play to win.” She backed off. “And until you want to play to win, I won’t be interested.” She started to leave. “But you have my number once you do.” She left fully.

Sojiro watched as she left the diner. He ate some more of his fries. He sighed. “Should have known that wouldn’t have been easy.”

Meanwhile, the girl in the gardening club entered the door of a spectacular mansion. She was greeted by the staff as she came in. She headed to the living room where she was greeted by the sound of two men laughing. A young man in a white tuxedo noticed her first. “Ah, Haru, how nice of you to join us.”

An older man in a black suit turned to her. “Oh, Haru,” he said. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

Haru nodded. “I just got back now, father.”

“What’s keeping you so late?” her father asked.

“I just had some club activities,” Haru answered.

“I’m sure you could have ignored them,” her dad said. “It feels like I’ve been seeing less and less of you as of late.”

The feeling is mutual… “Um, it’s fine. I enjoy helping out.”

“Hm,” her father said. “Well, I don’t mind it so much. But once you start living at his house…”

“Oh, I don’t mind at all,” the young man said. “She’s so kind and generous. I quite like that about her.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Haru’s father replied. “See? It won’t be much of a difference.”

“I see…” Haru said.

“We were just discussing some of the details,” Haru’s father said.

“I was hoping to do this as soon as possible,” the man said. “But your father, well, he can’t bear to see you go. Not that I blame him.”

“Right…” Haru said.

“But it’s not like we won’t visit often,” the man said.

“I know, I know,” Haru’s dad said. “I just find it hard to part with my only child.”

“Right,” the man said.

“Um, if it’s alright, I’d like to go to my room,” Haru said. “I’ve got some homework I need to do.”

“Why don’t you save it for after dinner?” Haru’s dad asked. “I have the chefs making something just simply exquisite for our guest.”

“Oh, Mr. Okumura, you shouldn’t have,” the man said.

He really shouldn’t.

“Well, only the best for my future son-in-law,” Mr. Okumura said. He turned to Haru. “While we wait for the chefs to be finished, why don’t you tell us about your day?”

Haru nodded. “Very well…” Haru proceeded to talk about her day with the two men she was supposed to feel close to, and then had dinner with them. Once dinner was over, she returned to her room. She resigned herself to her sorrow.

Sae was preparing to leave for the day. She finished her notes up for the time being, and then powered down her laptop. She closed it, and walked out of her office. Once she left, she was surprised to see Riko still there. She was surprised. “I thought you would have gone home already.”

“Well, I am your secretary,” Riko said. “I don’t leave until you leave.”

“Are you sure about that?” Sae said. “I tend to pull some really long nights. Sometimes, I don’t even go home.”

“Well, that is a little extreme,” Riko said. “But I don’t mind. If today’s any indication I think I’m going to enjoy working here.”

Sae smiled. “Well, it looks like your coworkers were right about you.”

Riko panicked. “What did they say?!” she asked, nervously.

Sae was surprised. “Um, the director told me that everyone he spoke to said you were kind, efficient, and very organized. That you were the perfect fit for the job.”

“Oh,” Riko said, relaxing herself. “Well, eh heh, truth be told, they were probably saying that to get me to leave.” Sae was shocked. “No one else at the court liked me all too much.”

“Why not?” Sae demanded.

“Well, I guess, I was just different,” Riko said. “I was just ostracized from the group. That’s part of the reason I don’t mind staying over. Because I have no real friends. Or really, anyone who’s expecting me…”

Sae furrowed her brow. “Well, even if it was said to get you out of the picture, I still believe it to be true.”

Riko was a little surprised. “Really?”

Sae nodded. “You’ve been such a great help to me today. And with the chaos of both what’s happening in this office, and with the cases I’m working on, I could use someone like you.”

Riko cheered up. “Eh heh. Thanks.”

Sae nodded once more. “Well, we should get going. See you tomorrow.”

Riko nodded. “Good night Miss… Sae.” Sae smiled. The two of them then left the building.

Sae arrived at her home soon after. “Sis?!” Makoto said upon seeing her home. “I…didn’t expect you home so soon.”

“Hm,” Sae replied. “Well, things are heating up at the office. I might not be home now and then for the foreseeable future.”

“Right,” Makoto said.

“You’ll be fine, right?” Sae asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Of course.

Sae smiled. “Right. I presume dinner is in the fridge?”

Makoto nodded. “That’s right.”

“Thanks,” Sae said. She went to get her dinner. Of course Makoto would be fine without me. She’s always been the stronger of the two of us. But I know what this society does to powerful women. I know Makoto is strong, but… Well, it’s not like she’ll have to face that kind of discrimination. Once I’m through overhauling the system, Makoto can spread her wings and be as free as she wants to.

Sae sat down and began eating her dinner. “Um, sis?” Makoto asked.

“Yes?” Sae replied.

“Did something happen today?” Makoto asked. Sae was confused. “It’s just, you seem a little different.”

“Hm,” Sae replied. “Well, I don’t know if you heard, but the current government dissolved.”

“Right…” Makoto said.

“My office is going to get really busy,” Sae said.

“Are they giving you more work?” Makoto inquired.

Sae shook her head. “I’m working some of the biggest cases already. They understand adding more to my plate would distract from that.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“However,” Sae continued, “they did give me a secretary.”

“Oh?” Makoto said, intrigued. “And how is that going?”

“It’s actually going quite well,” Sae answered. “She’s the perfect fit for the job.”

“Huh,” Makoto said. “She sounds lovely.”

Sae smiled. “She is.”

“Well, I hope you two continue to get along,” Makoto said.

“I hope so too,” Sae said. She finished her dinner.

A little later, after she finished getting ready for bed, Sae laid down on her bed and continued to think some more. Riko is such a kind and caring person. To think she was just expelled like that because other people didn’t like her… Well, I guess I need to fight for people like her too. “Hm,” she chuckled to herself. “Just another reason to close this case.”

Meanwhile, Ren was getting ready for bed herself. Once she put on her shirt she wears to bed, she heard Eris say “Turning in for the night?”

Ren turned to meet her. “Did you come in here to watch me change?”

“No, of course not,” Eris said. “I may be a lot of things, but I’m not some Peeping Tom.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Ren snapped back.

“Aw, come on,” Eris said. “How awful do you think I am?”

“Do you really want me to answer that?” Ren asked. Eris laughed playfully, ignoring Ren’s response. “What do you want anyway?”

“I’m just coming to check in on you,” Eris answered. “You and your little team are hoping to get closer to finding the fiends abusing the metaverse, right? I want to have front row seats to that match.”

“You can,” Ren said. “If you don’t mind looking up six feet.”

“Oooo, feisty!” Eris replied. She chuckled some more. “But do you really think you can take me on before you deal with your enemies from this side?”

“We’ll see,” Ren said.

“You know you’d miss me,” Eris teased.

“Not really,” Ren responded.

“He he,” Eris chuckled some more. “Well,” Eris propped Ren’s chin on her finger, “as much as I enjoy our little back and forth, I have something else I need to share.”

Ren pushed Eris’s hand off of her. “What is it?”

“You don’t need to worry about me doing anything while you’re on your little vacation,” Eris told her.

Ren was surprised. “Why not?”

“Well, there are a few reasons,” Eris answered. “First off, the perfect candidate won’t be ready until afterward anyway. But more importantly, I’m doing all of this to test you. Why, if you weren’t here, where would the fun in that be? I can break most people because they are weak. But breaking you? THAT’S what I want.”

Ren grew serious. “People are stronger than you think.”

“You keep telling yourself that,” Eris said.

“And you keep telling yourself that I’ll join you some day,” Ren retorted.

“Aw, come on,” Eris said. “As much as I like sassy Ren, I want to see friendly Ren.”

“You’d have to be my friend to see that,” Ren shot back.

“Aw, I get it,” Eris said. “You’re not ready. But when you will be, I’ll be there. Besides, I can enjoy friendly Ren from a distance.”

“Whatever,” Ren said.

“You know, I’ve been helping you a lot,” Eris said.

“So?” Ren replied. “I don’t owe you anything.”

“Hm,” Eris said. “Well, sooner or later, I’m sure we’ll get along just peachy. But I guess our little game of cat and mouse will just have to suffice.”

“Trust me, I can’t wait until it’s over either,” Ren retorted.

“Well, let’s take this one day at a time,” Eris said. “Let’s see if you’re ready for the next stage in this game. I’ve got something really good here.”

“Bring it,” Ren said.

“You’ll have to wait,” Eris reminded her. “But I can assure you, it’ll be a doozy.”

Hunger-Eris: Rank 6

Eris disappeared. Ren, feeling the strain for that conversation, and the day in general, got under her covers. Morgana heard that. He turned and jumped down on the bed. “How come you didn’t tell me you were done changing?” he asked.

Ren sighed. “I’m too exhausted now. I’ll tell you in the morning.”

“Well, alright then, “ Morgana said. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Ren replied. The two of them fell asleep.

Notes:

So, I wanted to include a Charity confidant, and when I was planning things out, this was the best solution in my eyes. Charity represents love, both in the giving and receiving sense, and if there's any P5 character that could embody that concept that didn't have a confidant already, it would be Yumeko. I did come up with this before adding Lena to my story, and I still wanted to explore this. Overall, I think it'll be interesting. It might not be something grand, but I hope you enjoy it as well.

Chapter 130: Crosses to Bear

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Ren arrived at school the next morning, she noticed that it was crawling with reporters, cops, and other investigative types. Morgana opened the back just enough to make sure he was heard. “What do you suppose is happening?”

“I don’t know,” Ren said. “But I’d rather not stick around and find out.” She kept her head down and headed for class.

Once class had started, Kawakami addressed the room. “As you may have noticed…”

“’May’ have?!” a student snarked.

Kawakami glared at them. “As I was saying, there have been various groups of people coming here to investigate. You don’t need to be alarmed. They are here for the teachers and other staff members to discuss the Kamoshida incident” The class talked among themselves. “AHEM!” Kawakami said, commanding their attention. “Just give the people investigating some space. They won’t come to you unless you do anything funny, got it?” There was a sense of agreement among the class. “Good. I’d hate to get you all caught up in this mess before your field trip. Now, with that out of the way, let’s begin.”

At lunch, Makoto was wandering the halls, when she saw Miss Kawakami. Kawakami took notice of her. “Ah, perfect timing,” she said. She walked over to Makoto. “Due to the re-opening of the Kamoshida investigation, some of the staff cannot accompany the students to the field trip, so we’re asking some of the third years to take their place. Since you’re a model student, would you mind…?”

Makoto was a little bit stunned. “Oh, uh, sure. I can fill in.”

“Great!’ Kawakami said. “You’ll be a big help.” She sighed. “Why is this coming back now?!”

“Are…you feeling alright?” Makoto asked.

“Huh?” Kawakami replied. “Oh, yeah. I’m just a little stressed is all.”

“Well… I know that sometimes when I feel stressed, I like talking things through with Dr. Maruki,” Makoto offered. “I’m sure he’d help you, even though he was hired to help the students.”

“Dr…. Maruki…” Kawakami responded. She thought of their interaction yesterday and started blushing lightly. “Ahem, yes,” Kawakami said to calm herself down. “I’ll… I’ll take that into consideration.” Makoto was a little confused. “Anyway, just make sure you’re prepared.”

“Oh, right,” Makoto said, refocusing on the situation at hand. “I will.”

“Thank you,” Kawakami said. The two went their separate ways.

After school, Makoto messaged the group.

Makoto: So, because of the Kamoshida investigation starting up again, some of the teachers are preoccupied.

Makoto: As such, they’ve invited me and other third years to chaperone the field trip.

Ryuji: Wait, you’re coming with us too?!

Makoto: Yeah.

Ryuji: Sweet!

Makoto: I'm there to chaperone.

Ann: You can have fun while doing it!

Makoto: I…guess…

Lena: I’m sure the trip will be more fun with you there.

Makoto: Thanks Lena.

Futaba: Hold on. They’re reopening the Kamoshida investigation?

Ren: Yeah?

Futaba: Are they going to find anything about us?

Futaba: I mean, it was you that made him confess.

Ren: True.

Ann: I don’t think we have anything to worry about.

Ann: They said they were only investigating the staff.

Yusuke: I don’t think they’d tell you they’re looking into the Phantom Thieves as well.

Makoto: I’m keeping tabs on the investigation.

Makoto: As student council president, the teachers trust me with some information.

Futaba: Damn Makoto! Girl’s got connections!

Makoto: Yes, well, it’s all to benefit society.

Futaba: Speaking of, did you manage to snag the data?

Makoto: She didn’t bring home her laptop last night.

Futaba: I see…

Sumire: Well, I’m sure you can do it!

Makoto: Thanks Sumire.

Ryuji: Oh yeah. Speaking of doing stuff for the Phantom Thieves, did you see that Mishima added a new feature to the Phansite?

An: Oh yeah.

Futaba: You know the person who runs the Phansite?

Ann: Yeah, he’s in our class.

Lena: How interesting.

Yusuke: It appears he added a feature where you can vote on who you want to target next.

Ren: Yeah, he told me about that.

Makoto: That feels more like a distraction more than anything.

Ren: Yeah, but it’s his website.

Ryuji: We’ve gotten a lot of good info from him as well.

Makoto: Well, maybe you could ask him to tone it down a bit.

Ren: I’ll do it tonight.

Jose: Sorry. I was a little preoccupied myself.

Jose: You’re leaving too Makoto?

Makoto: Yeah.

Ren: Don’t worry Jose! We’ll bring you a souvenir!

Jose: Thanks.

Ren: Oh yeah, I have some good news.

Sumire: Oh?

Ren: Eris told me that she won’t make anyone a crusader until after we get back.

Futaba: As much as I’d like to believe that, are you sure we should be trusting this magical chaos lady that drove me to the brink of insanity?

Ren: It’s her wanting to drive us all insane that she’s doing this.

Futaba: Well, she’s already doing a good job.

Lena: If I’m getting this right, Eris wants us involved more than anything.

Futaba: I see…

Sumire: I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Makoto: Right.

Makoto: Anyway, just continue acting normal for now.

Makoto: I should be able to get the data soon, and once Futaba cracks it, we’ll be that much closer to the truth!

Ren: Well said.

Makoto: Thanks.

“Who are you talking to?” Eiko asked Makoto.

“Gah!” Makoto reacted. “Oh, sorry Eiko. You surprised me.”

Eiko chuckled. “It’s OK.”

“I was just messaging some friends,” Makoto said.

“I see,” Eiko said. “Well, I just stopped by to ask you: Do you know if Kitagawa-san has the same days for his field trip as our school does?”

“Um, I believe so, yes,” Makoto said.

“Yay!” Eiko said.

“Why do you ask?” Makoto wondered.

“Well, it just so happens that Tsukasa has a work trip that week,” Eiko said.

“Hosts have work trips?” Makoto wondered.

Eiko brushed that aside. “So, I was thinking we can make it a girl’s week! Just the two of us! We can hang out all day after school!”

“Oh…” Makoto said, going pale.

The wind slowly drifted out of Eiko’s sails. “What’s wrong?”

“Well, as much as I would like that,” Makoto began explaining, “due to the investigation, some of the teachers had to stay behind, and they’ve asked me and some other third years to take their place.”

“Oh,” Eiko said, wind completely gone.

“It’s alright,” Makoto said. “You didn’t know.”

“Yeah…” Eiko said.

“I’m surprised they didn’t ask you,” Makoto said.

“I’m not,” Eiko said. “I’m not exactly a model student. Although some of the teachers have said I’ve stopped being such deadweight ever since we became friends.”

“That’s…good…” Makoto said. “If a little rude.”

“Eh, they’re right,” Eiko siad. “I’m not great when it comes to school. But luckily, I have Tsukasa to lean on.”

“Right…” Makoto said.

“Oh, and I have you too,” Eiko said. “Don’t think I forgot about you.”

“Right…” Makoto said.

“Still, you are pretty lucky,” Eiko said. “You get to go to Hawaii.”

“Well, we went to London last year,” Makoto reminded her. “That was pretty cool.”

“Right,” Eiko said. “But like, Hawaii is like THE paradise vacation spot, you know?”

“Right…” Makoto replied.

“I wonder if Tsukasa could take me there some day?” Eiko mused.

“Well…” Makoto said, a little flustered. “Maybe I could convince some of the teachers to bring you on board as a chaperone. If you want to go that bad.”

Eiko was a little surprised. She smiled. “Nah, it’s fine. I have a feeling they’d just say no anyway. But thanks for offering.”

“Yeah…” Makoto said, dejected.

“Hey, cheer up,” Eiko said. “I’m sure we can find another time to do this girl’s week.”

“Um, yeah,” Makoto said. “Ummmm…”

Eiko got a text. She checked her phone. “Oh, sorry. That’s Tsukasa. He wants to hang out tonight. I have to go.”

“Um, right,” Makoto said. “Take care!”

“You too,” Eiko replied. She left.

Makoto flopped onto her desk. “Mmmmmmmmm.”

Meanwhile, Ren got a message from Jose.

Jose: Um, could you come to Kosei?

Ren: Sure!

Ren: But why?

Jose: I’m a bit worried.

Jose: I haven’t seen Cho since coming back to school.

Ren: Do you and her usually run in the same circles?

Jose: Well, no.

Jose: But it seems like no one has seen her.

Ren: That is worrying.

Ren: I’ll be over as soon as I can.

Jose: Thanks.

Ren put her phone away, and headed to Kosei.

She met Jose out front. “Hey,” Ren greeted.

“Hi,” Jose replied, lacking enthusiasm.

Rne took notice of this. “Hey, it’ll be alright.”

“THERE YOU ARE!” The two of them looked to see Tama angrily looking at them. “And you brought your little friend too.”

“I’m the one that goes here!” Jose pointed out.

Ren let out a brief laugh before containing herself. “Jose, not now.” She cleared her throat. “What do you want?”

Tama looked around. He whispered. “What I WANT is for my girlfriend not to be under house arrest!”

“House arrest?” Ren replied, concerned.

“You just had to fill her head with that nonsense about telling people,” Tama continued.

“You heard what she said,” Jose countered. “As much as I nudged her, she wanted to do it in the end.”

“Grrr,” Tama hissed.

“What happened?” Ren asked calmly.

Tama hesitated for a moment. “We were telling her parents. She volunteered to do it first. Her mother was surprised, but she took to it well enough. Her father, the true-blooded Hirai, was angry. He…” Tama choked a little. “He dragged Cho to her room and told me to stay away. I haven’t heard anything since.”

Ren was in shock. “You don’t think…”

Tama shook his head. “He may be prideful, but he’s not a killer of any kind. My best guess is that he’s going to take Cho out of Kosei. Although where he’ll put her is anyone’s guess.”

“Hold on,” Jose said. “Your families are fighting over the top position at this school, but he’s willing to take her out of it.”

“She has a younger brother,” Tama said. “I imagine he’ll be his new pride and joy.”

“I see…” Jose said.

“How long does that process take?” Ren wondered.

“I’m not sure…” Tama said. “But it shouldn’t be instant, considering everything.” He became alarmed. “If you guys are thinking of helping, forget it! You already messed things up once. I don’t want you doing it again!”

“Fine!’ Jose said, forcefully. “If you don’t trust us, what about the Phantom Thieves?” Ren was shocked.

Tama was not. “Tch. You think I didn’t think of that already. I put his name up on that site almost immediately after I was forced to leave. They still haven’t done anything, but they’re head and shoulders above you!”

“Mmm,” Jose groaned.

“Heh. I don’t have time for this any more,” Tama said. “I need to think of a way to fix this myself.” He stormed off.

Ren glared at him as he left. “Hey Ren?” Jose asked. “Why was he so rude?”

Ren knew Jose was taking Tama’s outbursts more than she was. “He’s just angry.”

“Did we mess up?” Jose said. “Like he said?”

“Well…that’s hard to say,” Ren answered. “We did what we thought was right, but it turned out like this.”

“Mmmm,” Jose moaned. “Should we not have done anything?”

“Well, that’s something only you can answer,” Ren replied. “Personally, I think not doing something would have made the situation worse in the long run. But that’s just me.”

“Hmmm,” Jose pondered. “I think everything I did was right, but…”

“Sometimes life’s like that,” Ren said.

“Well then, life kind of sucks,” Jose said.

Ren chuckled. “Tell me about it.” Jose looked at her, confused. “I mean, look at me. I tried to make sure a woman wasn’t forced into a car, and I got arrested for it. But then I met all of you. You can’t always make sure the right thing happens, but you can grasp onto the silver linings.”

“I guess…” Jose said. “But what happens if there aren’t any?”

“Well…I don’t know…” Ren said. “I try to believe there are, but it can be hard to think of them.”

“This is confusing,” Jose said.

“Yeah…” Ren agreed. “I don’t even think someone who has 100 years of wisdom could answer that question.”

Jose was surprised. “Really?” Ren nodded. “Hmmm. How am I supposed to complete my mission if a human can’t even answer that question?”

“Well, maybe the answer is that you aren’t human,” Ren said. “Maybe as someone on the outside looking in, you can see something humans can’t.”

“I see,” Jose said. “Perhaps.” He re-energized himself. “I might have to think about this later. For now, let’s deal with the matter at hand. Tama said he posted Cho’s father’s name on the Phansite, right?”

Ren nodded. They took out their phones. They soon found it. “Katashi Hirai,” Ren said.

Jose looked determined. “Alright then! Katashi Hirai? We’re coming for you! We’re going to prove our worth and show you what we’re made of!” Ren chuckled softly.

Aeon-Jose: Rank 7

“Well, now that we have a plan, do you think we’ll be alright?” Ren asked

“I think we’ll be better than alright,” Jose answered.

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

“I should get going,” Jose informed her. “I’ve got some stuff to work on for class.” Ren nodded. “Take care!” Jose nodded back and then headed into Kosei. Ren left soon after.

That night at the Niijima household, Makoto and Sae were present. Makoto seemed a little nervous. Still, she pressed on. “Um, sis?” Sae looked at her. “The school asked me to help chaperone the upcoming field trip, along with some other third year students. I told them I could.”

“Hm,” Sae replied. “Very well.”

“You’re OK with that?” Makoto said.

“Yeah,” Sae said. “It’ll look good for college. Besides, this way you won’t have to spend time worrying about me for a few days.”

“Sis…” Makoto said, unsure of how to respond.

“You have a good time on your trip,” Sae said. “Where are you going?”

“Oh, uh, Hawaii,” Makoto said, getting taken off-track of what her sister had said earlier.

“Hm,” Sae said. “You went to London last year for your trip, correct?”

“Um, yeah,” Makoto replied. “Um, where did you go?”

“Sydney,” Sae answered.

“And how was that?” Makoto said.

“It was good,” Sae said. She finished. “I should get to bed. I’m so tired I’m not thinking straight.”

“Oh…” Makoto said, being broken from the first fully pleasant conversation she and her sister were having for a while. I guess she does think of me as a nuisance.

“Good night,” Sae said. She headed to her room.

“Oh! Good night!” Makoto meekly called out. “Mmmmm,” she groaned.

Meanwhile, at the Okumura household, Haru was a bit nervous. “Something on your mind dear?” her father asked.

“Oh, um, well…” Haru replied. “It’s just that the teachers asked me if I could help chaperone the upcoming field trip. They seem to be short-staffed. I told them I could, but…”

Haru’s dad observed her. “Well, I don’t see why not.”

Haru was shocked. “Really?” Haru’s dad nodded. Haru hugged him. “Thank you father!”

Haru’s dad hugged her back. “Of course. After all, this will boost the prestige of the Okumura name. Plus, it’ll make you look good.”

Haru came crashing back down to reality. “Right…”

They broke the hug. “So, where are you going?”

“...Hawaii…”

“Hawaii, eh?” Haru’s dad said. “That reminds me…” Haru looked at him eagerly, “I think we just opened a restaurant over there. Perhaps maybe you could check in on it.”

Haru came crashing down again. “Right. Of course.”

“Thank you dearie,” Haru’s dad said. His phone rang. “I have to take this. If you’ll excuse me.” He picked up his phone and walked off.

Haru looked at her father. “What happened to you?” she wondered. She left for her room.

That evening, Ren messaged Mishima.

Ren: Hey, can we talk?

Mishima: Sure.

Mishima: Wanna meet at the diner again?

Ren: Sure.

Mishima: Alright, seeya soon!

Ren headed to the diner.

A few minutes later, she and Mishima were situated in a booth. Mishima had a grin on his face. “I think I know why you called me here?”

“Oh?”

Mishima nodded. “You want to talk about the site’s new feature, right?”

“Um, yeah…” Ren said.

“Isn’t it great?” mishima said. “It’s getting a lot of traction. I know you had your trepidations, but I think it’s going smoothly.”

“Yeah…” Ren said. “Listen, it’s not that we don’t appreciate your enthusiasm, but maybe just tone things down in the future.”

“Huh?” Mishima responded.

“Well, it’s just, we’re trying to figure out what to do next,” Ren explained, “and this might be a bit of a distraction.”

“Heh,” Mishima laughed. “What are you talking about? You have your next big score already!” Ren was confused. “That actor!”

“Oh…” Ren replied, realizing that’s what he meant. “Um, so we did some research, and…it doesn’t seem like the case you’re making to change his heart holds any water.”

“What?!” Mishima said. “Nah, you must be joking. There HAS to be something there! Don’t you get it? This is a chance for us to stick it to the people who think they’re so good. Who look down on us. Who shove their ideal reality onto people who can never attain it!”

“Mishima…”

“Hey!’ a voice shouted. Ren and Mishima looked over to see Akiyama and his friends. “If it isn’t Mishima. I haven’t seen you since middle school.”

“Uh, we talked like a few days ago,” Mishima pointed out.

“Oh yeah,” Akiyama said. “I guess you’re so forgettable that I forgot.” He and his friends started laughing.

Mishima slammed his fist. “Stop it!” he barked.

“Or what?” Akiyama challenged.

“Or I’ll…” Mishima controlled himself. “Mmmm.”

“Psh, you don’t have anything,” Akiyama said. “You’ve never had anything, and will never have anything. Let’s go.” Akiyama and his crew left.

Mishima was trembling. “Mishima?” Ren inquired. “You OK?”

“Heh,” Mishima smirked. “I’m better than OK. Because now you have a new target.” Ren was concerned. “Let’s change Akiyama’s heart. THAT’LL show him that we aren’t nothing. That we are the force that’s going to change Japan.”

“Um, as much as I hate pointing this out,” Ren said, “he’s really only picking on you…not us.”

“Yeah, but we’re in the same boat,” Mishima said. “The world looks down on us. But soon, we will make them look up.” He started laughing a little.

“Um, are you OK?” Ren asked.

Mishima snapped out of it. He shook himself. “Sorry. I’m just a little frustrated. He frowned. “Say…are you going to steal my heart?” Ren was surprised with the question. “I’m probably doing a bad job at being the public face of the Phantom Thieves. I wouldn’t be surprised.” Ren looked at him concerned. “Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Later.” Mishima got up and left.

Ren was concerned about Mishima. He was acting weird. Well, a little weirder than usual. She knew what she had to do.

Later that night, Ren arrived in Mementos with her and Morgana. “Are you sure you don’t want to bring the others?” Morgana asked.

“I’m just scouting right now,” Ren answered. “It says he’s down here, but…”

Morgana sighed. “I get it. Let’s see if we can’t find him.” He transformed into his car form, and they started off. They didn’t have to go very far, as as soon as they went down a level, Mishima’s shadow was right there. “That was easy.” Ren got out of the car, and Morgana turned back into a cat.

Shadow Mishima looked at the two of them. “Heh. I’ve been expecting you.” He looked at the two of them. “Where are the others? I know there’s more than just you two.”

“We came here alone,” Ren said.

“Tch, no skin off my back,” Mishima said. “I really only wanted to talk to you anyway.” He glared at Morgana.

Ren looked at him as well. “Hm. Fine,” Morgana said. “I’ll back off.” She started to walk off. “But if you do anything, I won’t hesitate to jump in!” He continued walking away.

Ren inched closer to Mishima. “Eh heh heh heh,” he laughed. “So, you’re not opposed to stealing my heart.”

“I just came down here to scout you out,” Ren said.

“But you would do it if all your little friends were here, huh,” Mishima said.

“Maybe,” Ren replied.

He grew angry. “You just don’t get it,” he said. “Before you came along, I was fine! I knew my place. I was nothing! And then you gave me something. Something that I could be proud of. Something that could make me more than nothing. Why wouldn’t I go too far?”

“I’m not here alone because I don’t get it,” Ren retorted. “I’m here alone because I do. I was nothing once too. Hell, I was less than nothing.”

“Heh,” Mishima laughed. “If you get it, then you must know how pathetic I really am. I can’t do anything right. Volleyball. School. Running the Phansite. Life.”

“You’re not a failure,” Ren said. “You’re just a little extreme in your reactions.”

Mishima smirked. “Well then. If you think I’m going too far, then I’m right here!” He stretched his arms out to his side. “Go ahead! Steal my heart!”

Ren looked him over. “You want this, don’t you?”

“Huh?” Mishima reacted.

Ren turned her back on him. “If you want it so badly, then steal it yourself.” She started walking off.

Mishima went into desperation. “WHAT?! NO! YOU CAN’T DO THIS! WITHOUT YOU, I’M… I’m…” He collapsed to the floor. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

Ren met back up with Morgana. “Are you sure that was the right move?” Morgana asked.

“Maybe,” Ren answered. “Besides, we didn’t come down here to steal his heart tonight.”

“Right,” Morgana agreed. “Although I can’t say I don’t get what he’s going through.”

“Me either,” Ren admitted. “But we have to draw the line somewhere.”

“Do you think he’ll be able to see it?” Morgana asked.

“I think so,” Ren replied. “After all, he’s the one who asked to get his heart stolen. I doubt he’d do that if he couldn’t .”

“Perhaps you’re right,” Morgana said. “I hope he can figure it out soon though.”

Ren nodded. “Me too. Now let’s go home.” The two of them left Mementos, and went home for the night.

Notes:

If things keep up like this, this might be what an average chapter looks like going forward. I'm not sure though. I want to include stuff outside of Ren's perspective that's also not strictly story, but I'm not 100% sure on how much I want to include and where to include it. Still, this isn't too bad on its own, so if future chapters were like this, I don't think it would be so bad. Anyway, please enjoy.

Chapter 131: Fear is the Mind Killer

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Mishima was moderating the Phansite into the night, he started feeling a little lightheaded. He started phasing in and out of sleep. “Huh. Maybe I should go to bed. I’ll just finish up some things and call it a night.” As he went to do just that, his monitor was overtaken by an image of him with yellow eyes and a red background. “WHAT?!”

“You’ll never be good enough,” monitor Mishima said.

“What are you saying?” Mishima asked.

“You’ll never be good enough,” monitor Mishima repeated.

“St-Stop!” Mishima demanded.

“You’ll never be good enough,” monitor Mishima said once more. “You’ll never be good enough for the volleyball team. You’ll never be good enough for your parents. You’ll never be good enough for school. You’ll never be good enough for the Phantom Thieves. And you’ll NEVER be good enough for Shiho!”

“STOP!’ Mishima screamed. “Don’t you think I know that?! Of course, I’m worthless. Anyone can see that clear as day. But I want to try! Try and not be worthless! Try and be SOMETHING! Try and be good enough for everyone!”

Suddenly, Mishima was overcome with emotion. He heard voices in his head. “Go ahead! Steal my heart!”

“Wha?” Mishima reacted.

“You want this, don’t you?” another voice said.

“Huh?” the first voice in Mishima’s head said.

“If you want it so badly, then steal it yourself.”

“WHAT?! NO! YOU CAN’T DO THIS! WITHOUT YOU, I’M… I’m…”

Mishma fell out of his chair. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” he screamed. He got back up, but he was breathing heavily. “What am I?” He looked back at his computer. The other Mishima was still there, but the red background was flickering, revealing behind it the Phansite.

He then started to recall why he made the Phansite to begin with. He wanted to give a voice to the downtrodden, much like the Phantom Thieves gave a voice to him. And yet, he was starting to become like those he resented in the first place.

Before now, Mishima could always blame someone. Whether it be Akiyama, Kamoshida, or someone else entirely, someone was always keeping Mishma down. But now, only one person was keeping Mishima down: himself, and in that moment, he realized it.

Mishma looked into the computer and saw the other version of him. He sat back down in his chair and stared at the other him in the monitor. “You know,” he said, still breathing heavily, “you’re a real jerk, you know that?”

“Of course,” monitor Mishima replied. “After all, I am you.”

“Heh, perhaps, Mishima replied. “But I can’t let my failures define me.”

“You have to,” monitor Mishima shot back. “All you are is failure.”

Mishima shook his head. “I think…it’s that black and white thinking that’s been keeping me down. I’m either a success or a failure. That’s what I thought. I give up too easily, and get jealous of people who actually work hard to get what they want.

But I’ve been working on this Phansite since May. It’s probably the hardest I’ve worked on anything. Because I know it’s important. It’s been a struggle dealing with everything, but for the first time in my life, I have no regrets.”

Mishima looked directly into the eyes of his monitor self. “I know I’ve made some mistakes, and I know I need to grow some more, but I can’t just abandon everything now. Otherwise I’d only have myself to blame. So sure, I may be a failure in a lot of aspects, but starting now, I won’t let that define me solely.”

At this point, the red background had completely disappeared. The two Mishimas continued their staredown. However, the real Mishima was exhausted. He kept blinking. After a few blinks, the monitor Mishima disappeared completely. “Huh?” Mishima reacted. “Does…does that mean I win?” He rubbed his eyes just to be sure. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't see the monitor Mishima anymore. “Heh,” he chuckled. He yawned. “I really should get to bed.” He closed the Phansite, and then hopped under the covers, and promptly passed out.

The next day before school started, Makoto messaged the group.

Makoto: Sis didn’t bring her laptop with her last night either.

Ryuji: Really?

Yusuke: Just be patient, Ryuji. I doubt that this is something that can be done on command.

Ryuji: I know, but it sucks just having to wait, you know?

Makoto: Imagine how I feel.

Sumire: On the bright side, we have some time.

Ann: Oh yeah. Eris did say she won’t corrupt anyone until after our field trip.

Lena: One less thing to worry about.

Jose: We should be grateful for that silver lining.

Makoto: True, but I’d rather do it sooner than later.

Ryuji: RIGHT?!

Ren: I know it’s difficult just waiting around, but it’s the best we can do for now.

Ren: And I trust that you’ll be able to do it when the time comes, Makoto.

Makoto: Right.

Futaba: You can do it Makoto!

Makoto: Thanks.

They put their phones away, and headed to class.

On their way, Morgana popped out of Ren’s bag and asked “You think we’ll get something from this?”

“I thought you were the confident one,” Ren retorted. Morgana pouted. “I get your concern though. But we have to believe that this will lead to something. I’m sick of getting vague clues from the people we steal treasure from. We have to try something drastic.”

Morgana smiled. “You know what? You’re right. I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

“Well, doubt is part of being human too, you know,” Ren told him.

Morgana chuckled. “Well, I guess that’s true. But I’d rather it be part of me more than anything.”

Ren giggled. “That’s the spirit.” She went to class.

After school, Ren got a message from Lena.

Lena: Hey, can we hang out today?

Lena: You know, as long as we’re waiting on the info Makoto’s getting us.

Ren: Uh, sure.

Lena: Yay!

Lena: Meet me at the front gate.

Ren put her phone away and headed out to meet Lena.

Once they met, Lena cheered “Yay!”

“So, what are we doing?” Ren asked.

“Well, I thought we could just go to a karaoke bar,” Lena offered. “Are you fine with that?”

Ren nodded. “Sounds good to me.” The two of them started heading towards a karaoke bar. Once they got a room, Ren asked “Do you want to start, or should I?”

“Oh, well, um,” Lena said nervously. “You see… I mean, I’ve told you that I want to be a professional singer, right?” Ren nodded. “Well, I was kind of hoping I could use this as a bit of practice. Not just my technique, but being able to sing in front of others as well.”

“Well, Morgana says you’re really good,” Ren said.

“Right,” Lena replied, “but I want to improve more still, you know?”

“Right,” Ren replied.

“So, if you don’t mind, I’d like to have the first song,” Lena said.

“You can have the whole block if you want,” Ren said.

“Oh I don’t want to steal your time,” Lena said.

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “I don’t mind. Really.”

“Well…if you say so,” Lena said. “Then let’s hit it!” The first song came on, and Lena sang it with vigor.

Once it was over, Ren clapped and cheered. “Woo hoo!”

“Thanks,” Lena said, slightly blushing. She got a little frustrated. “But I think I can do better still.”

“I mean, maybe,” Ren said. “But this is just karaoke between friends. You’re not exactly at an opera house.”

“I know…” Lena said, still a little frustrated. “But… I dunno, I guess I’ve gotten a little more self-conscious. Ever since what happened with my mom and I… I just feel like things could go wrong anywhere. So I want to try to prevent that from happening.”

“Well, I can’t say that I don’t understand,” Ren replied. “In fact, in some ways, I think I understand more than most people would. But I don’t think you should, how should I put this, get so afraid that your fear is what controls you.”

“Afraid?” Lena wondered.

“Well, something like that,” Ren said. “Not like monsters and nightmares, but like ‘what would happen if I failed my next test’.”

“Gotcha,” Lena said.

“I’m not saying that you can’t improve,” Ren continued, “but you need to balance that out with just enjoying what you’re doing.”

“Hmmm,” Lena wondered.

“Why do you want to be a professional singer in the first place?” Ren asked.

Lena thought about it. “Well, I’ve always enjoyed singing,” she began to answer. “Plus music has always had this profound effect on me. Whatever was happening, music always found a way to help me out. It signals emotion in a way that words themselves cannot do. So I want to share that with people.”

Ren smiled. “OK. Now don’t let go of that feeling.”

“Eh?” Lena was a little surprised.

“I get not wanting to fall into a situation with no way out,” Ren said, “but it’s important to not let that control you.”

“I see,” Lena.

Ren chuckled. “All this to say you’re doing fine for now. And I’m sure you’ll improve as you go. But maybe don't worry about it so much that you lose yourself in it.”

Lena nodded. “Right. …Thanks.”

Ren smiled. “Anytime.”

Adjustment-Lena Minamoto: Rank 2

Lena got more intense. “So, are you ready for me to continue rocking the house?”

Ren matched her enthusiasm. “By all means.” Lena smiled. She sang more songs until their time was up. They went their separate ways for the evening.

While all that was happening, Haru was doing her duty watering some flowers for the gardening club. While she usually enjoyed tending to the school’s gardens, she had a forlorn expression on her face. She sighed deeply.

“Hey,” a voice called out. Haru was a little surprised. She turned around to see Hiroki. “How’s my favorite gardening club member?”

Haru smiled. She then went back to frowning. “Things could be better…”

Hiroki frowned as well. “That’s Haru for ‘absolutely miserably’. What’s gotten you so down?”

Haru was a little hesitant to answer. She sighed. “Well, you know how my father had arranged for me to marry someone?”

“Yeah,” Hiroki said, somewhat bitterly.

“Well…he’s…unpleasant to say the least,” Haru said.

“Still, coming from you, that’s saying a lot,” Hiroki said.

Haru giggled slightly. “You always know how to cheer me up.”

“It’s what I do,” Hiroki replied.

Haru grew a little more serious. “It seems like the deal is going to be finalized soon. I’m just not sure what to do.”

Hiroki was concerned. “Are you sure you can’t tell your father how you feel?”

“Believe me, I want to,” Haru answered. “But every time I try…I get scared.”

“Well, how bad could it be?” Hiroki asked. “I mean, he is your father after all.”

“It’s because he’s my father that I’m scared,” Haru admitted. “I’ve known him all my life. I’ve seen him in all sorts of situations. But right now it feels like I don’t recognize him anymore. I’m not scared of my father, I’m scared of the man in his place.”

Hiroki quietly processed that information. “Well, there’s always that thing I suggested.”

Haru became alarmed. “I couldn’t.”

“If you’re this scared, why not?” Hiroki said.

Haru frowned. “Because…I just couldn’t. Besides, I don’t have as much access to my money as you do. If we were to run away, you’d have to fund it.”

“I don’t mind,” Hiroki replied.

Haru slightly smiled. “Still… My father would almost certainly say you kidnapped me. He wouldn’t stop at anything to get me back. You’d be labeled a criminal. I couldn’t do that to you. Besides, if I were to leave suddenly, these plants would miss me.”

Hiroki sighed. “Well, that’s Haru for you.” He grew determined. “Still, I think we can come up with a solution.” He smiled. “Maybe we can brainstorm when we go to Hawaii.”

Haru was shocked. “How did you-”

Hiroki chuckled. “Niijima-senpai told me she and some other third years were going to act as chaperones. I figured you would have been asked in a heartbeat.”

Haru got a little embarrassed. “I see… Then perhaps we shall.”

Hiroki smiled. “Great. Looking forward to it.” He nodded. “Well, I should let you get back to those flowers. I can’t keep you all to myself.”

Haru chuckled. “So long.”

Hiroki nodded back and left. When he was far enough away, he screamed “GAH! This was the PERFECT chance Hiroki, and you BLEW it!” He sighed and collected himself. “Still, there’s more time. Hawaii is beautiful. Maybe that will inspire me.” He continued on his trek.

That evening, Ren got a text from Mishima.

Mishima: Hey, can you meet me at the diner again tonight?

Mishima: I need to say something to you.

Ren was shocked. She was then worried, but hopeful enough.

Ren: Sure.

Mishma: Thank you.

Mishima: See you there. I guess.

Ren was a bit hesitant, but decided to go to see what Mishima had to say.

Once she arrived, Mishima waved her down. Ren approached cautiously, and sat down. “Hey,” Mishima said, calmly.

“Hi,” Ren replied. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Well…the thing is…” Mishima said, slightly nervously, “I’m sorry!”

Ren was a little surprised. “Huh.”

Mishima sighed. “I was acting like a real jerk. I wasn’t listening to reason or you. I was just listening to the angry impulses in my heart. For so long, I felt like I was beneath others, and as a result, other people dictated what I was doing. But when you freed me from Kamoshida’s grasp, I felt free.

But then I abused it. I wanted to live like a king, and use what I had to benefit myself. I wanted to take petty revenge on people who might not even deserve it. And when I realized that, I tried to run away. But then I realized that that’s what Kamoshida would do. And I don’t want to be him.

So that’s why I asked you here tonight. I have to accept what I did and face it head on. For the first time in my life, I have no one to blame but myself. So, for everything, I’m sorry. I understand why you wouldn’t, but would you ever forgive me?”

Ren was stunned. Mishima was pouring his heart out to her. She could feel his remorse. She nodded, and said “OK. I forgive you.”

“WHAT?!” Mishima said, surprised by her reaction. “Just like that?! But I was just awful!”

“Trust me, you were nowhere near as bad as Kamoshida,” Ren assured him. “As someone who’s been on the receiving end of some of Kamoshida’s worst impulses, you’re forgivable.”

“Oh…right…” Mishima responded.

“You just have some issues that need to be sorted out,” Ren told him. “But I think we all kind of do.”

“Yeah…” Mishima admitted. “I thought I knew what it meant to be free after Kamoshida confessed to everything. But in truth, I was still being jailed by myself. I’ve always thought I was a failure, and to get out of it I had to not be me. But I didn’t feel like me when I was aiming to be a success, you know?”

“Well, I can’t say you weren’t being a jerk,” Ren said, “but there were times when glimmers of light shone through. Besides, your heart was always in the right place.”

“Well, you know what they say, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions,” Mishima retorted.

“True,” Ren replied. “But it seems like you’re learning.”

Mishma smiled. “Right. So, um, does that mean I can still run the Phansite?”

Ren giggled. “Sure. Just try to run by anything big with us first.”

“Heh. I’m amazed you’re letting me keep this position,” Mishima said.

“Well, it’s your site,” Ren said. “Besides, as I’ve said before, we have a lot to focus on as it is, so having someone like you on the sidelines is important.”

“Hm. You know, in some ways, it feels like I’m hearing that sentence for the first time,” Mishima said. “But anyway, I have some other business.”

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

“I wasn’t sure if you’d accept right away, so I found some more dire requests,” MIshima explained.

“The actor again?” Ren said, exacerbated.

“No no,” Mishima said. “He and the idol announced their engagement today, and the fervor around those conspiracies died down. And, um, well…” He mumbled something, but Ren couldn’t quite tell what he was saying.

She decided to ignore that for now and asked “So, who are these targets?”

“I’ll send them over to ya,” Mishma said excitedly. Mishima sent her a message.

Ren received it. “Got it! Thanks.”

“Heh heh,” Mishima chuckled. “Thank you. For giving me another chance.”

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 7

The two ate a little and discussed some Phansite stuff, before going home for the night.

Notes:

From the looks of things, it's three chapter before the Hawaii trip, and then I'm not sure how things will be organized again. Not only am I not sure is I should divy up the Hawaii trip into multiple chapters or not, I also have to account the the changes I'm making in the story after that point. And I'm gonna be honest, I'm only sort of sure how much I'm changing up. It's one of those things where I both have a plan and will also cross that bridge when we get there. I'm sure it'll be fine, it's just something I feel like talking about. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 132: Showing Weakness

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sae was working late into the night. She got a knock at the door. “Come in,” she instructed.

Riko opened the door. “Hi,” she greeted. “Um, I don't mean to interrupt, but it is getting pretty late. Are you just about wrapping up?”

Sae looked up at her, then back at her computer. “I’m probably not going to go home tonight. I’m this close to wrapping up the initial investigation into what we talked about. Plus, I have a few other cases I have to look over things for; one of which is due for a court case sometime in the near future.”

“I see,” Riko replied.

“You can go home if you want,” Sae reminded her.

Riko shook her head. “I go home when you go home.”

“Like I said, prepare for nights like these,” Sae said.

“I don’t mind,” Riko replied.

“Very well,” Sae said. Riko nodded and went back to her desk. Sae kept crunching away.

The next day, as Ren was eating breakfast, there was a knock at the door to Leblanc. Ren got up to answer it, and saw that it was Makoto. “Yes?”

“Um, well,” Makoto stammered, “It said you were closed, so that’s why I knocked. But um, I, uh, kind of want to talk.”

“Well, sure, come on in,” Ren said. “I’m eating breakfast right now, but don’t let that stop you.”

Makoto was a little surprised. “Oh right. I haven’t eaten yet either.”

Ren was stunned. “Wow. You must be really in a tizzy if you didn’t eat breakfast before coming here.”

“Yeah…” Makoto admitted.

“Well, come in,” Ren instructed her again. Makoto came in.

Sojiro was surprised to see her. “Oh. What brings you here so early?”

“She just needed to talk,” Ren said. “But first, she needs breakfast.”

Makoto was a little shocked. “Oh no, I couldn’t impose on you.”

Sojiro smirked. “It’s fine. I can whip you up something easily.”

“Well then, thank you,” Makoto said.

“I can even keep the shop closed for a bit if you want to talk here,” Sojiro informed her.

“Um, that’s alright,” Makoto said. “We can go someplace else. This might take a bit.”

“Very well,” Sojiro said. He went to go fix Makoto a breakfast.

Onc it was ready, he placed it in front of her. She took a bite. “You know, I’m always impressed with how amazing your cooking is,” Makoto remarked.

“Heh. Thank you,” Sojiro replied.

The two girls finished eating breakfast. Once they were done, Makoto bowed and said “Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” Sojiro said.

Makoto turned to Ren and asked “Shall we get going then?”

“Sure,” Ren replied. She turned to Sojiro. “Seeya!”

“Take care,” Sojiro replied. They left.

As they were walking, Ren asked “Where are we going?”

“My place,” Makoto said.

Ren was a little surprised. “I don’t think I’ve ever been.”

“Not a lot of people have,” Makoto said.

“Hm,” Ren responded. “Well, lead the way.” The two of them continued on to Makoto’s place.

Once they got there, they entered. “Well, here we are,” Makoto said. They took off their shoes and went in further. Makoto led Ren to the living room and then promptly flopped onto one of the chairs. She sighed really deeply.

Ren sat on the couch. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Makoto curled up into a ball. “Have I…really changed?”

Ren was a little shocked. “Um, I think so. Although I’m not an expert on what you were like before I knew you. What’s all this about?”

Makoto averted her eyes. “Sis didn’t come home last night.”

“Oh,” Ren replied.

“And the previous night…” Makoto continued. “We were having a nice conversation, but then she abruptly left. I thought I was becoming a better person, but if my own sister doesn’t want to spend some time with me…”

Ren felt Makoto’s pain. “I mean… I don’t know what happened exactly, but I know it’s not easy.”

“Right…” Makoto said. “You were on the rocks with your sister too.” She looked into the distance. “Hm. Well, I guess it’s a bit different.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

“Because there was something of a reason,” Makoto said. “I mean, she was upset about your arrest. But then you talked it over and she apologized. I don’t know what needs to be apologized for in our situation. I just feel like we’re apart.”

“Well, maybe that is the case,” Ren said. “Maybe you’re just meant to be two different people.”

“But I don’t WANT that,” Makoto shouted back. Ren was surprised. “Sorry…”

“It’s fine,” Ren replied.

Makoto sighed. “I lost my mother when I was three, and I lost my father three years ago. I don’t want to lose my sister too. At least, not without knowing I did everything I could.”

Ren sighed. “I get it. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s alright,” Makoto replied. “I mean, I know at least part of it is that she’s really busy, but it feels different. It never used to feel like this.”

“Well,” Ren began, “I mean, she does have a palace…”

“Oh…right…I kind of forgot…” Makoto said. She sighed. “As much as I’d like to go through the palace, I was hoping I could maybe whittle away at it from the outside. At least, until we had to.”

“I get you,” Ren said. “But those palaces aren’t easy to get through when we’re in there. I don’t imagine they’re easier out here.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Makoto said. “But I’d still like to try.” Ren smiled and nodded. Makoto smiled back before pouting again. “It’s not just sis…”

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

Makoto sighed. “I had a conversation with Eiko. She wanted to have this girl's week with just the two of us since Yusuke, my ‘boyfriend’, was also going on a field trip, and her boyfriend has a work trip.”

“Hosts have work trips?” Ren wondered.

“I asked about that too,” Makoto replied. “She didn’t answer. But when I told her I was also going, she kind of deflated. I offered to talk to the teachers to try and get her to be a chaperone as well, but she declined, saying she’s not really a model student.”

“Well, I mean, is she wrong?” Ren asked. “No offense, but in the limited capacity that I know her in, she’s not someone who the teachers would trust to chaperone.”

“Well…no…” Makoto admitted. “But she’s gotten better…But yeah… URGH! It just sucks because one of the reasons I became a Phantom Thief in the first place was to fight for what I want. But if I keep losing these fights, how do I know I’m trying hard enough?”

“Well, that’s a difficult question for me to answer,” Ren said. Makoto looked at her. “I mean, I want to say you’re doing fine, but whether or not you’re doing your best is something only you can answer.” Makoto kind of pouted. “But I can say that losing isn’t the end.” Makoto looked back up at her. “I mean, I’ve been chewed up and spit out more times than you can imagine.”

“Right…” Makoto said. “Maybe I’m just worried because I’m still a little lost on what I want completely. I’m a third year after all. I’m graduating in March. And yet I’m not sure I have a clear picture of what I want after high school.”

“That does sound difficult…” Ren said. She thought about it. “Well… This might not be how I would go about it, but what did you want to be when you were a kid?”

Makoto was a little surprised. “Oh, uh…” She unballed herself. “When I was a kid, I wanted to be a police officer, like my father. But I haven’t really thought about that in a while. But it may be worth thinking about again.”

“You…don’t have to give me an answer right away,” Ren said. “I imagine that this isn’t something where the answer appears overnight.”

Makoto chuckled. She smiled. “I remember when I first told my father, and you know what he said?” Ren shook her head. “‘Are you sure? It’s very hard’.”

“Then what did you say?” Ren asked.

Makoto got a little embarrassed. I told him “‘I’ll work so hard that it’ll be easy’. He just smiled and picked me up and played with me. I guess I didn’t really understand what he meant. But now that I get it, I think I admire him even more.” Her smile widened. “That drive my father had for his job, I want it too.”

“Hm,” Ren smiled. “Well, I think you’re on your way to having it, if you don’t already,” she assured.

Makoto frowned. “It just sucks when things don’t go your way.”

“Yeah…” Ren agreed. “But the best thing to do is pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and try again.”

“Hm,” Makoto milled again. “You have a point. …Thanks. This was kind of what I needed.”

Ren nodded. “I’m sure you’ll get this with your sister someday too. But I’m always here to help.”

“As am I,” Makoto replied.

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 7

“By the way,” Makoto wondered, “you said it wouldn’t work for you. What did you want to be when you were a kid?”

Ren got a little embarrassed. “...A teacher…”

“Oh,” Makoto said. “Honestly, I’m not surprised. You’re an excellent leader. Plus, you’re very helpful. I’m sure you could do it.”

“Maybe,” Ren replied. “If I didn’t have a criminal record.”

Makoto was a little surprised. “Hey.” Ren looked up at her. “I’m sure we can get that corrected. I mean, once this whole Phantom Thieves mess gets taken care of. Or at least when my sister can listen to reason.”

Ren giggled. Makoto got a text. She checked it. “Who is it?” Ren asked.

“It’s my sister,” Makoto explained. “She says she’s coming home tonight.”

“Well that's good,” Ren said. Ren also got a text.

Yoshida: I’m having a really important speech tonight.

Yoshida: Would you like to assist me?

Ren: Of course!

Ren looked back at Makoto. “I have to go too. But good luck tonight.”

Makoto nodded. “You too.” Ren nodded, got up, and left.

Earlier in the day, Riko was doing some work for Sae when she heard “Um, hello?”

She looked up to see Akechi standing before her. “Can I help you?” she asked.

“Um, yes, I’m looking for Sae Niijima,” Akechi answered. “She called me in.”

“Just a second,” Riko replied. She got up and knocked on Sae’s door.

“Come in,” Sae called out.

Riko entered. “Miss Niijima, Detective Akechi is here to see you.”

Sae nodded. “Send him in.”

“Right,” Riko said. She went back to her desk. “You may enter.”

Akechi was a little confused, but smiled. “Thank you.” He entered Sae’s office. He sat down and said “So, they gave you a secretary.”

“Yes,” Sae responded, matter-of-factly.

“I doubt this was something you wished for,” Akechi said.

“I’ll admit it wasn’t my choice,” Sae replied. “But she’s been really helpful, and I enjoy her company. So don’t get your sardonic little claws into her.”

“You really see me as the type of person who would do that?” Akechi asked. “That’s cold, even for you Niijima.”

“This is exactly what I’m talking about,” Sae said.

Akechi chuckled. “I doubt you called me in here just to flaunt her.”

“Correct,” Sae said. “I just wanted to ask you a question about the investigation.”

“Shoot.”

Sae turned her laptop over. “I’m looking over a list of victims in the mental shutdown cases. And one name keeps popping up over and over again. Kunikazu Okumura.”

Akechi was shocked. “The CEO of Okumura foods?!”

Sae nodded. “The very same. It’s come up too much to just be a coincidence. He’s directly benefited from a plurality of these cases.”

“So what seems to be the issue?” Akechi said.

Sae turned her laptop back to her. “This evidence is circumstantial at best. Once I start doing some legwork on this, Okumura might push back.”

“So, you would like some assistance,” Akechi surmised.

“If you don’t mind,” Sae replied.

“Well, I’ll do what I can,” Akechi said. “But shouldn’t this be something you take up with your boss?”

“I am,” Sae replied. “But that meeting isn’t happening until Tuesday.”

Akechi was shocked. “Wow.”

“We’re incredibly busy,” Sae explained.

“I take it that’s the reason they gave you a secretary,” Akechi deduced.

“They don’t call you ‘Japan’s Second Detective Prince’ for nothing,” Sae remarked sarcastically.

“I don’t think your secretary needs that from you either,” Akechi shot back.

“The difference is I only do it to you,” Sae remarked.

“Hm,” Akechi reacted. “Well, I guess in some ways that’s a compliment. After all, I’m the only one who gets to see the real Sae.”

Sae glared at him. “What makes you so sure this is the real me?”

“Just a hunch,” Akechi retorted.

Sae glared at him some more, before going back to her computer. “You said you’d help me on the Okumura front, right?”

“Of course,” Akechi replied. “As much as I can, anyways.”

“Very well,” Sae said. “That will be all.”

“Just like that?” Akechi said.

“I’m a little busy,” Sae said. “And I presume you are as well.”

“Well, I can’t deny that,” Akechi said. “I was just hoping we could converse some more.”

“As much as I’d like that, I need to get myself prepared,” Sae said. “This investigation is about to pick up, so I need to make some preparations on my end. Plus, I have to work on some other cases.”

Akechi stood up. “Very well. Have a good day.”

“You too,” Sae replied. Akechi left. Sae continued working. After a little while, Sae was wrapping up on some of her bigger tasks when she checked the time. It was early in the evening, but considering she was just about done with some of her major things and hadn’t been home since yesterday morning, she figured she could call it there.

She wrapped up the things she was working on, and then closed her laptop. She packed up her things, and decided to bring her laptop with her in case she wanted to get some of the smaller things done while at home. She left her office and greeted Riko on the way out. “Miss Niijima?” Riko wondered.

Sae smiled. “We’re going home early today.”

Riko was a little surprised. “Really?”

Sae nodded. “We’ve done a lot these past few days, and we’re gearing up to do even more soon. I figured a nice break would be worth it.”

“Well, thank you,” Riko said. She started preparing her things. Sae got out her phone and began texting. Riko noticed this. “Who are you messaging?” she asked.

“My sister,” Sae replied. “I’m letting her know I’m coming home early.”

“Your sister is visiting?” Riko wondered.

Sae shook her head. “She lives with me.”

“Oh,” Riko said, somewhat shocked. “Are you sure you should be staying these long hours?”

“She understands,” Sae said, brushing off Riko’s concern. “Besides, she’s very capable. Maybe even more so than I am.”

Riko was a little shocked. “That’s some high praise.”

“She deserves it,” Sae replied. She finished sending her message. She turned to Riko. “Are you ready?” Riko nodded. “Then let’s head out.” The two left the office for the evening.

That night, Ren met up with Yoshida. “Ah, Amamiya-chan!” he greeted. “How are things going?”

“They’re going pretty well, all things considered,” Ren answered.

“Well that’s good,” Yoshida replied. “Are you ready for tonight’s speech?”

“Always,” Ren said.

“Well then, let’s get ready,” Yoshida said.

“On it,” Ren replied, excitedly. She went to grab the sign. “Tonight’s Topic: The Bittersweet Dissolution of the Government.”

A crowd had gathered. It was a fairly sizable crowd, but that wasn't all too surprising since now an election was on the horizon. Yoshida cleared his throat and began his speech. “People of Tokyo! As you may know, the current government has been deemed unfit for purpose. As such an election to forge a new government has been called.”

The people cheered, but Yoshida halted them. “While I understand your excitement, and it does provide me another chance at getting elected, this should not be seen as a joyous occasion.” The crowd was a little confused. “The current government failed us. That is no cause for celebration. While a new government, hopefully one that listens to the people, may rise from the ashes, we mustn't forget that the old government has burned to the ground.

A vote of No Confidence is a last resort, and only used when the government’s position has become untenable. In a sense, this is a tragedy. Although no one is in any immediate danger, the effects could last a lifetime.

Which is why we must work together to create a new, better government as soon as possible. One that will listen to the will of the people, and not ignore them. For too long the people have been doing one thing, and the government has been doing another. And at this moment, only one of them has stopped. By working together, we can create a world where we all thrive, and I promise you if you elect me, I will work to achieve such a world!” The crowd cheered.

Yoshida met up with Ren after the speech. “What did you think, Amamiya-chan?”

Ren went into thought. “Well, it was lovely…”

“‘But’...? Yoshida asked.

“...But I think there could have been a little more,” Ren finished.

“Such as?” Yoshida asked.

“Well, one thing I’ve learned from my experience is that sometimes things may need to burn down before they can get good,” Ren answered. “Those might not be the exact words I would use, but something along those lines.”

“I see,” Yoshida replied. “Heh heh. I suppose you’re right. I guess even I still have learning to do.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Matsushita interrupted. He walked up to a surprised Yoshida and Ren. “For one, you could learn to take a good deal when you see it.”

“Are you referring to your offer, or Kuramoto’s?” Yoshida asked, turning on a dime.

“For now, let’s say both,” Matsushita answered. “Each offer would have helped you rehabilitate your image.”

“That they would,” Yoshida agreed. “However, this isn’t a case of me needing to learn. I am aware of how much they would help me, but I am choosing not to take the help.”

“So you’re a fool?” Matsushita responded.

“You could call me that,” Yoshida said. “And it may even be true. But I am truly and wholly myself as well.”

“Hm,” Matsushita reacted.

“I don’t expect you to understand,” Yoshida told him. “Not fully, anyway. But let me ask you, why did you lose your election following your ascension as a member of the Kuramoto Children?”

Matsushita was surprised. “Well, it just became obvious that I wasn’t as good of a politician and Mr. Kuramoto had made me out to be.”

“But you worked and trained to  become such a politician, correct?” Yoshida asked.

“That is correct,” Matsushita answered.

“And the same could be said for several other members of the Kuramoto Children,” Yoshida went on, “some of whom also became successful politicians in their own right. However, my circumstances are different.

If you don’t mind me saying as much, I had a little more political knowledge at the time. However, it was my relationship with the people that drove me out. A series of three scandals cost me my reputation with them. There was a time I called a heckler and ‘idiot’, the time I had taken a personal vacation when I should have participated in a vote, and the time I was accused of embezzling funds from the party.

I thought I was free to do as I pleased, so long as my political savvy was accounted for. But being knowledgeable about the country means nothing if you don’t account for the people in it. So while your penance was paid to the political world, my penance is with the people. And they have decided I have not paid in full.”

Matsushita was overcome with Yoshida’s earnest attitude about his situation. “I see.”

“Although,” Yoshida continued, “I’ve been improving my relationship with the people ever since I saw the error of my ways. And I think even more so ever since I started working with Amamiya-chan.”

“I see,” Matsushita repeated.

“It’s not that I don’t appreciate your help,” Yoshida said. “I just need to do things how I see fit.”

Matsushita nodded. “I understand. I’m not gonna lie, you’ve given me a lot to think about.”

“That’s the least I could ask for after any speech,” Yoshida replied with a smile.

Matsushita responded with a smile of his own. “I will see what I can do from my position, old friend.” He walked off.

Ren was a little shocked. “I’m impressed.”

“Bah hah,” Yoshida laughed. “I’m not sure how much you should be. Considering I was borrowing from you.” Ren was even more shocked. “I’ve never explained my reasoning like that to anyone before. But ever since I’ve met you, you’ve opened up to me about a lot, even when it was uncomfortable. But you did that as a symbol of trust. And from spending time with you, I’ve learned that in order for people to trust me, I should trust them.”

“Oh, uh…” Ren said, slightly embarrassed. “Thanks…”

Yoshida nodded. “Of course, we need to go at our own pace. However, I feel like you’ve accelerated my growth.”

Ren smiled. “I feel the same.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 8

Yoshida went into thought. “Now, I wonder what Matsushita is going to do… I guess only time will tell.”

“Well, I know what I’m doing,” Ren said. “I’m going home to get some sleep. I have school in the morning.”

“Oh, of course,” Yoshida said. “Sorry if I kept you.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “I don’t mind. Especially since I learned a lot tonight.”

“Well, that’s always good to hear,” Yoshida replied. “Take care.”

“You too,” Ren said. She left to go home for the night.

At the Niijima household, Sae entered the door. “I’m home!”

Makoto went over to greet her sister. “Welcome home.” Sae set her laptop on the table. Makoto was surprised. She composed herself. “Are you hungry? You would have to wait though. I thought since you were coming home earlier than usual, we could make something together. Or at least I could make something, and it would be fresh.”

“I am a bit hungry,” Sae replied. “But I want to take a bath first. I feel so exhausted.”

“Oh,” Makoto reacted. “OK…”

“I can’t wait to see what you’ll cook up though,” Sae said. She headed to the bathroom.

“R-Right…” Makoto said. Sae had closed the door. Makoto eyed the laptop. It was now or never. She opened it up and plugged the drive she had gotten from Futaba. It began processing. “Come on…”

“MAKOTO!” Sae called out.

“YES?!” Makoto shrieked, worried.

“I CAN’T FIND THE SOAP!”

“OH, I , UH, MOVED IT!” Makoto answered. “IT SHOULD BE UNDER THE SINK!”

“THANKS!” Sae replied.

Makoto sighed, relieved. She looked at the progress bar going up. “Almost there…” It finished. She was curious, but excited. She ejected the drive and closed the laptop. She sighed, putting the drive back in her pocket. She looked over at the kitchen. She put on an apron, and started making dinner.

Meanwhile, Sae was in the bath, lost in thought. Tomorrow starts another battle on my way to the top. However, once I get to the other side, I will be that much closer to victory. She reflected on what Akechi had said. “After all, I’m the only one who gets to see the real Sae.” Akechi is smart. He should know this is just my battle face. Trust me. Once I finish this fight, I will finally be able to show you who I really am. She then thought about her time with Riko. Although, I guess it couldn’t hurt to show it every now and then. Just not in the midst of this battle.

At dinner, Makoto had set down Sae’s plate. “Here you are sis.” Makoto set her plate down as well. She began eating.

Sae looked at her plate. She took a bite. She chewed meticulously before swallowing. She looked at Makoto. Makoto noticed. She smiled. “This is really good,” she said. “You’ve really outdone yourself this time.”

“Oh…” Makoto said. “Thanks.” Sae was proud of herself for taking her mask down, even for just a moment. They finished dinner, and headed to bed.

Notes:

I think my new plan will be to get the next two chapters out and then take another break. I've said I'd take breaks before and not taking enough of one, but this time might be different because I still don't know the logistics of how I want to do the Hawaii trip. I figure if I drop it and come back to it, I will have a better idea. Although I expect next chapter to be kind of chonky, so I might just be breaking here, though not for as long as I anticipate if I were to blast through the next two chapters. So, I guess we'll see what happens.

So, I got a comment a while ago saying I portray the strained relationship between the Niijima sisters really well. I don't know if I'm still doing that, if I'm being honest. As the story goes, I'm trying to introduce a little bit of nuance basically all over the place, with this being one of the places. But as a result, Sae might come off as a bit softer than she does in the game. But we do know she cares for Makoto, she's just kind of bad at expressing it. Or at least that's how I see it. And I've been trying to convy that, but I don't know if it maintains the same level of strained as it does in the game. Obviously, I'm also changing a lot from the game as well, so maybe I don't need to worry as much. These are all just thoughts I've been having.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 133: 7 Targets (And Some Surprises)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Makoto messaged the group before school started.

Makoto: I got the data.

Ren: Perfect!

Sumire: Way to go!

Makoto: I’ll come over to hand it off this afternoon.

Futaba: Heh heh, can’t wait.

Ren: Remember, we’re all meeting up to get some Mementos missions done as well.

Ren: Make sure to keep your schedules cleared.

Ann: I should be fine. My agency knows I have a field trip coming up, so they’re giving me some breathing room.

Sumire: Likewise, I leave for my trip tomorrow, so Coach isn’t hosting any classes today.

Ryuji: I think the rest of us are good to go as well.

Yusuke: Agreed.

Jose: Can’t wait!

Lena: See you then!

They put their phones away and got ready for class.

During the day, Kobayakawa was on the phone. “Please sir…when will this investigation let up?”

“You know when,” the voice on the other end spoke. “Just tell me who the Phantom Thieves are, and this will all go away.”

“But sir!” Kobayakawa protested. “I will! I just need more time!”

“I’ve given you more than enough time,” the voice responded. “Give me names! Or else! You have until the end of the week.” They hung up.

Kobayakawa tembled for a minute before hanging up himself and flopping back into his chair. “What am I going to do?” he wondered. He opened one of his drawers. “Perhaps this is the only way.”

After school, the Phantom Thieves met up in Futaba’s room. “So, do ya have the goods?” Futaba asked.

Makoto took out the drive. “Here,” she said, giving it to Futaba.

“Thanks,” Futaba replied. “I should have all of this processed by the time you get back.”

“Man, it sucks we can’t do anything about this right away,” Ryuji bemoaned.

“I feel your pain,” Yusuke said. “But we shouldn’t be so hasty. I, for one, am looking forward to my trip.”

“Where are you going anyway, Yusuke?” Lena asked.

“Los Angeles,” Yusuke answered.

“Heh,” Ann laughed. “I bet if it were up to you, you’d got to like Nikko or Nara.”

“Well, I would wish to visit those places as well,” Yusuke explained. “However, a good artist goes to many places to broaden their horizons.”

“I guess that’s true,” Lena said.

“I kind of wish we were going to Los Angeles,” Ryuji said. “I mean, I’d fit right in, don’t ya think? Strollin’ around, actin’ like a real LA gangsta. It’s perfect!”

“I’m not too sure about that…” Morgana retorted.

“You’d probably run at the first sign of real LA ‘gangstas’,” Makoto added.

“RIP Ryuji,” Futaba said.

“H-Hey…” Ryuji said. “C’mon. You have more faith in me than that, right?”

Ann giggled. “Well, I’m sure we’ll go at some point.” She grabbed onto Ryuji's arm. “And I bet if we do run into any gangsters, you’ll protect me, won’t you?” She gave him some doe eyes.

Ryuji blushed. “Ah hah, of course!”

Ann giggled again. “Yay.”

Jose observed this and remarked. “That’s impressive.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “The way Ann has Ryuji wrapped around her finger is almost an art form in it of itself.” Both Ryuji and Ann were slightly embarrassed.

“You two need some tact,” Futaba said.

“Hm hm.I think it’s cute,” Sumire said.

“I agree,” Ren responded.

“Same,” Lena added. Ann let go of Ryuji and the two laughed nervously.

Makoto sighed. “Well, as cute as it is, I think that might be more suited to a private affair.”

“Somebody’s jealous,” Futaba remarked.

“And you say I need tact,” Yusuke retorted.

Makoto got embarrassed. “I’m… I’m not jealous…”

“Oh ho, what’s this?” Ryuji said, jumping on to shift the embarrassment off of him. “It sounds like you are.”

“I’m really not,” Makoto protested.

“Oh?” Morgana said. “Is our Queen eyeing up a potential King?”

“No! Of course not!” Makoto answered. Ren chuckled. “What are you laughing at?”

“Nothing,” Ren said.

Makoto got a little frustrated. “I’m fine.”

“You know, we can talk about this later, if you want,” Ann suggested.

“Yeah!” said Lena. “I bet Akechi might know someone you may be interested in.”

“I said I’m fine!” Makoto shouted.

“O…K then…” Ann said.

Makoto sighed. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “We’re just teasing ya. But getting back on track, we’re also here to do some Mementos missions. I have some of my own, and Mishima found some as well.”

“Oh right, you were going to talk to him,” Ann said.

“How did it go?” Makoto asked.

“It went really well,” Ren said. “Mishima should be less prone to getting ahead of himself. Although it is a learning experience.”

“Well, it’s good that he’s starting to learn,” Sumire said.

“Right,” Ren agreed. “Anyway, there’s a good amount of requests, so let’s go over them as fast as possible and then head into Mementos.” The team nodded. “First up, we have a man named Yasuo Jochi. He’s a sleazy businessman who’s pressuring the old couple who own the theater here in Yongen to sell it so he can tear it down.”

“Wait, the theater we went to when your family came?” Sumire asked.

“The very same,” Ren said. “I thought I noticed something was going on, but I didn’t know what.”

“Good thing Mishima has his ears toward the pavement,” Morgana said.

“True,” Ren replied. “Next up, we have a man who’s been going around, racking up debts, and then before he can pay them he gets plastic surgery and changes his name.”

“How awful,” Yusuke remarked.

“I agree,” Makoto said. “Truly disgusting.”

“According to Mishima, he’s going by the name Fumio Akitsu.”

“We should catch this guy ASAP,’ Futaba said. “He might change his name again if he knows the Phantom Thieves are on his tail.”

“Quite right,” Morgana agreed.

Ren nodded. “Next up, we have Yoshikuni Nejima. He’s another businessman, but his crimes aren’t business-related. He’s cheating at an arcade game and acting like he owns the place.”

“Man what kind of jerk do ya have to be to cheat at an arcade game?” Ryuji said. “Especially if you’re a businessman. I imagine you’d have bigger things to worry about.”

Futaba nodded. “I won’t say I haven’t cheated, but he’s acting like he won it fair and square.”

“Very well,” Ren said. “Next up, we have Shoichi Oyamada. He’s a corrupt medical professional who’s the head of his own facility. He’s been shifting all of his mistakes onto Dr. Takemi, including the possible death of a patient, and now is threatening to shut her facility down.”

“Another person abusing their position,” Yusuke said. “Count me in.”

“Yeah! We gotta save Dr. Takemi! And fast!” Morgana said.

“That we must,” Ren said. “Moving on, we have Akimitsu Tsuda. Iwai’s former mafia buddy who’s recently gone off the deep end. He’s threatened Iwai to help him with a scheme of his, and it probably won’t stop there either.”

“Man, this sucks,” Ryuji remarked. “That place is cool. I’m not gonna let some madman destroy its heart and soul.”

“Are you going to be OK?” Sumire asked.

Ren nodded. “It’ll be all of us, and we’ll be going through Mementos. But thanks for asking.”

“Right,” Sumire said.

“Let’s move on,” Ren said. “We have Toshio and Hiromi Takase. They’re extorting money out of Miss Kawakami because their son was killed in an accident, and they’re pushing the blame onto her.”

“WHAT?!” Makoto said. “That’s outrageous!”

“Yeah!” Ann said. “Why is she getting blamed for something that wasn’t her fault!”

“I could agree more,” Ren said. “And lastly, there’s Katashi Hirai. He’s the father of a student who goes to Kosei who is upset that his daughter is dating a member of a rival family. He’s even gone so far as to keep her locked in her room.”

“How awful!” Lena said. “We HAVE to change his heart! Nothing should come in between someone and the person they love!”

“I agree,” Jose said. “We HAVE to do this!”

“Well, it seems like we’re all in agreement here,” Ren said. “Let’s roll.”

Once they got to Mementos, Futaba was stunned. “Woah! This place is HUGE!”

“And a little eerie,” Lena added.

“Right. Neither of you have been down here before,” Makoto said.

“This is essentially the heart of everyone,” Morgana said. “It’s only natural for it to be big. And a little imposing.”

“Hey Oracle,” Ren asked, “can you tell how many floors there are?”

“Hmmmm,” Futaba responded. She did a quick scan. “82.”

“That’s a lot!” Ann exclaimed.

“Maybe,” Yusuke replied. “But it’s not like we’re doing them all at once.”

“We couldn’t, even if we wanted to,” Jose pointed out.

“Still, it’s nice to have an actual number,” Ryuji said. “That way, we know what we’re aiming for.”

“Like you could keep track anyway,” Morgana remarked.

“Hey! I can!” Ryuji protested. “Besides, I don’t need to, now that we have someone reliable guiding us.”

“What did you say?!” Morgana said, ticked off.

“OK, let’s calm down,” Ann said.

“Panther’s right,” Makoto said. “We’re not going to get anywhere with you two fighting like that.”

“Queen’s right,” Ren said. “We have a lot of ground to cover today. The sooner we get to it, the better.”

“Ugh,” Ryuji sighed. “When you’re right, you’re right. Now let’s kick some ass and steal some hearts!”

“Now THAT’S something we can agree upon,” Morgana cheered.

“How long will it take though?” Lena asked. “I mean, this place is big. Going by foot will take forever.”

“Well, we have a little surprise,” Sumire said.

“You do?” Lena wondered.

“Nya ha,” Morgana chuckled. “Transform!” He transformed into his car form. “This way we can travel around in speed and style!”

“Oh my!” Lena reacted, surprised. “How wonderful!”

“Well, “I’m not 100% sure about the style…” Futaba said.

“WHAT?!” Morgana yelped.

“Ooo! Maybe if we decorate you!” Futaba said, excitedly.

“Pass!” Morgana said. “My style is minimalist. Adding stuff will just distract from my sleekness.”

“This again?” Ryuji said.

“I mean, he has a point,” Yusuke said. “His own personal style, be it cat, car, or Phantom Thief, does not have a lot of detail. And yet, it works for him. The simplicity of it brings a certain elegance, and it allows him to roam around without getting noticed. He’s stylish and functional.”

“I totally agree!” Ann exclaimed. “His simplicity makes him alluring, but also mysterious.”

“Thank you Fox. Panther,” Morgana replied. “See Skull? They get it.”

“Um, I guess?” Ryuji responded. “I mean, fashion has never been my thing. I just kind of wear what I like.”

“But it works for you, sweetie,” Ann said. “It reflects your honest personality.”

Ryuji was a little embarrassed. “Th…Thanks…”

Ann giggled. “Anytime.”

Ren nodded. “Well, with all of that said, let’s get this show on the road!” The Phantom Thieves cheered. They got into Morgana, and started their venture downward.

Meanwhile, Principal Kobayakawa was standing in what looked to be a high class party. He was holding an Old-Fashioned glass, and was wearing a bejeweled purple domino mask with purple and green feathers coming out of it. Despite the festivity, he appeared to be miserable. He sighed deeply.

Suddenly, his eyes widened and he shook briefly. He looked at his reflection in the drink. He quickly downed it, and placed the now empty glass on the tray of a waiter passing by. With the liquid courage and a new found sense of determination in him, he rushed through the party to one of the back rooms.

Once inside, he looked around and found what he was looking for. “Excuse me?” one of the workers asked. “Can I help you?”

Kobayakawa pointed to what he had found. “I’d like to borrow one of these.”

“And why would you be doing that?” the worker asked.

“I’m going to take out the Phantom Thieves!” Kobayakawa answered.

Back down in Mementos, the Phantom Thieves were delving down into the depths on the hunt for their targets. Soon enough, they found a portal and headed in. “That guy’s Oyamada!” Morgana called out. “He’s the bastard threatening Dr. Takemi.”

“Heh, well let’s give him a taste of his own medicine!” Ryuji shouted.

“Really?” Makoto said.

“I kind of liked it,” Futaba said.

“Either way, let’s teach this guy a lesson,” Ren said. They walked up to his shadow. Ren called out “Eh. What’s up, doc?” Some of the other thieves snickered, while others were a little tired.

“Hmph. Very funny,” Oyamada said. “But I will tell you, the only thing that’ll be going up is my fame.”

“Not if we can help it!” Sumire said.

“Yeah! What kind of doctor thinks about fame before their patients?” Ann asked.

“Are you not chasing fame yourselves, you little cretins?” Oyamada replied. “It’s why anyone does anything.”

“How cruel can you be?” Yusuke asked.

Ren got serious. “Dr. Takemi isn’t in it for the fame!”

“BAH!” Oyamada yelled. “That BITCH doesn’t know the first thing about how to be successful!”

“Well she knows the first thing about being a doctor!” Ren countered. “And it seems like she knows more than you!”

“GAAAAAH!” Oyamada screeched. He morphed into Thoth. “It appears that you’re infecting my presence. I need to remove you from my system at ONCE!”

“We’ll see who the real white blood cells are,” Ren challenged. The thieves battled Oyamada. Oyamada fought hard, but the Phantom Thieves won.

Oyamada was breathing heavily. “I…I’m a complete failure as a doctor. I originally became a doctor to help people. But sooner or later, I ended up getting lost in the fame and adoration. I thought I could cement my legacy by doing something big.

Then Takemi came along. She was much smarter than I could hope to be. She was working on a cure. I got jealous of her raw talent, not to mention her rapport with the patients. So…I stole her research, tried to use a half-assed version of her medicine, and then forced her out.

…Miwa is still alive. And I pushed away the person trying to help her the most. The only person who can save her is Takemi. If you see her, tell her there’s still a chance.” Oyamada faded away, and Ren took the treasure.

“Don’t worry,” Ren said. “I will.” They turned around and headed further into Mementos.

They found another portal and hopped in immediately. They saw the shadows of a man and a woman. “I take it those are the Takases,” Makoto surmised.

Ren nodded. “They’re the ones exploiting Miss Kawakami.”

“What horrible people!” Ann yelled. “Using the death of a child for their own selfish gains. Punishing someone who’s not even responsible.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Morgana chimed in. “And that’s why it comes to an end today.”

The thieves approached the couple. “He he he he he,” Hiromi giggled creepily. “Money. Money money money. You can never have too much money.”

“Hmph. If that teacher really cared about our son, she’d have died with him,” Toshio said. “And given everything she had to us.”

“How awful can you be?!” Lena yelled out.

“How rude!” Hiromi yelled back. “Don’t act like you could know what we’re going through. We lost our child to that…HARLOT!”

“Yeah, you’re just a bunch of teens,” Toshio continued. “You could never understand our pain.”

“We know grief!” Futaba shouted.

“And it sounds like you aren’t grieving him!” Sumire added.

“She’s right!” Makoto added. “It sounds like you’re using your son's memory to get what you want.”

“Meanwhile, Kawakami is trying to honor his memory,” Ren snarked. “I suggest you start following her lead.”

“HER lead?” Hiromi replied. “HA! Don’t make me laugh!”

“Maybe YOU need to follow her lead,” Toshio said. “She has the decency to bow to us so we don’t tear her limb from limb!” They turned into Oberon and Titania.

“Let’s get ‘em!” Ren called out. They proceeded to fight the Takases in a hard-fought battle. Despite the furiosity, the Phantom Thieves won.

“We…we had nothing,” Hiromi explained.

“We were friends with Taiki’s birth parents,” Toshio continued. “They had everything. When they died and gave Taiki, we thought we’d teach him what it meant to live in the real world.”

“We were pushing our own jealousy on him,” Hiromi said. “We delighted to see him suffer.”

“And when that teacher was helping him, we got angry,” Toshio said. “No one ever helped us.”

Hiromi had a tear in her eye. “But we didn’t want him to…”

“You guys are horrible,” Ryuji told them. “Treating a child like that! Even if you had your own issues, you shouldn’t have to take them out on a child!”

“We know…” Toshio said. “I doubt we will ever truly fix things. But we will make an effort to start.”

“Just be glad we’re giving you the opportunity to do so,” Ren said. “If you recall, you didn’t afford us the same option.”

“Heh,” Toshio laughed. “Too true. Don’t worry. We’ll set things straight with that teacher.”

“We promise,” Hiromi said. The couple faded away, and Ren stole the treasure.

She sighed. “Two down. Five to go.”

“If they’re anything like the last two, I’m more ready than ever to change their hearts,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, I feel you,” Ann said. The group continued on through Mementos, going deeper and deeper to find their next target.

Once they found them, they jumped through the portal to confront them. “Watch out!” Ren instructed. “That’s Tsuda’s shadow. He’s very dangerous.”

“Is he…?” Sumire wondered. She grew angry and stomped over. The others followed. “HEY!” Sumire yelled. “Apologize!”

Tsuda was confused. “For what?”

Before Sumire could answer, Ren signaled her to hold up. “For trying to drag Iwai into your mess,” she answered.

“Hm. Lookie here,” Tsuda said. “More kids trying to boss me around.. I have the experience! I have the rank! And yet THEY are the one calling the shots! Treating me like I don’t belong. Well, I’ll show them! I’LL SHOW EVERYONE I BELONG!” He transformed into Belphegor.

“Let’s go!” Ren called out. They engaged with Tsuda. Despite Tsuda being a tough fighter, the Phantom Thieves won out in the end.

“It’s not fair…” Tsuda said. “Ever since Iwai left, I’ve felt so lost. If he was still in, those Hong Kong bastards wouldn’t have taken us for a ride.” He sighed. “I don’t know what to do.”

Ren approached him. “Iwai still cares about you. I’m sure if you were to talk to him, he’ll have an idea.”

“Heh,” Tsuda laughed. “Looks like the kids are right again. I guess I will. Thanks.” He faded away and Ren snagged the treasure.

“Alright, now let’s head out,” Ren instructed. They went back into Mementos proper.

“By the way,” Jose said, once they got back into Morgana, “what got into you earlier, Violet?”

Sumire was a little shocked. “Oh, um, well…”

“It’s OK,” Ren said. “Tsuda pointed a gun at me once.”

“WHAT?!” everyone said collectively.

“Are you alright?” Lena asked. “I mean, you have to be alright, otherwise you wouldn’t be here, but…”

Ren sighed. “It’s fine. Iwai was there to make sure nothing bad happened. But it was still harrowing.”

“She called me after it happened,” Sumire said. “I just got so mad when I saw him. If he had done anything to you…”

“I know,” Ren said. “I was worried too. But thanks for being there for me.”

Sumire smiled. “Always.” They continued to venture down.

At the next doorway, they spotted their next target. “This has to be Jochi!” Morgana exclaimed. “They guy that wants to tear down the theater!”

“Well we can’t let that happen!” Sumire called out.

“I couldn’t agree more!” Ren said. “Let’s roll!” They rushed up to him.

“Ba ha ha!” Jochi laughed. “The Phantom Thieves? What are you doing here?”

“We’re here to stop you from tearing down the theater!” Sumire protested.

“Heh. I didn’t know anyone still cared about that stupid old thing,” Jochi said.

“The owners do!” Morgana countered.

“And I didn’t know anyone cared about them,” Jochi said. “Out with the old, in with the new. It’s just the cost of doing business.”

“Well, it’s our business to stop you,” Ren challenged.

“Psh,” Jochi brushed off. “You think you scare me? I’ll crush any and all competition!” He transformed into Ippon-Datara.

“Not if we crush you first!” Ren called out! They sprung into action, fighting Jochi. Jochi was very devious, but in the end he was no match for the Phantom Thieves.

“How? How did I lose?” Jochi wondered. “I did everything by the book.”

“Maybe your book is wrong,” Jose offered.

“You may have a point,” Jochi said.

“I’m aware business needs to get done,” Yusuke offered. “But you can’t bully others into doing what you want!”

“Hm. True,” Jochi said. “But even if I don’t do it now, something will happen in the future!”

“Well then, let the owners handle on their terms,” Sumire said. “There’s nothing more cruel than letting someone else dictate what happens to something you care about!”

Jochi sighed “Alright. You win. I’ll call the whole thing off. They can keep the theater.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you.” Jochi faded away, and Ren grabbed the treasure. “Let’s keep it rolling.” She opened the door, and the thieves proceeded downward.

They found another portal and entered it. They saw their next target standing there. “If I had to guess, that’s Akitsu’s shadow,” Makoto surmised.

“The guy that’s racking up debts and then changing his identity?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah,” Makoto said.

“Hm,” Lena scoffed. “Well, he’s escaped for the last time! Let’s get him!” They approached him. “Your tyranny ends here!” Lena shouted.

“Heh. That’s rich, coming from the Phantom Thieves,” Akitsu said.

“I beg your pardon,” Makoto said.

“We’re one in the same,” Akitsu said. “We both hide behind masks to stick it to those in power. And yet, you’re treating me like the bad guy?”

“Well duh!” Futaba said. “You’re just being an asshole and causing others harm for no reason!”

“I told you,” Akitsu said. “I’m sticking it to those in power!”

“Even if that was your intent, you’re doing it in the wrong way!” Makoto said.

“Bah! I guess you just don’t understand,” Akitsu said. “Heh. I might need to change faces sooner than I thought. After all, Fumio Akitsu can’t be arrested for murder if he doesn’t exist!” He transformed into Legion.

“Be careful everyone!” Ren instructed. “Let’s go!” They proceeded to fight Akitsu. Despite his underhandedness, the Phantom Thieves won once again.

“I thought…” Akitsu began. “I thought I was sticking it to the greedy corporations and money-hungry businessmen. I thought I was like you.”

“While we understand your desire to call out corruption where you see it,” Ren replied, “you can’t let innocent people get caught in the crossfire.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “When you buy stuff and don’t pay for it, the employees are stuck paying for it. And that ain’t me being nice to those greedy bastards. It’s just, those kinds of people are willing to blame anyone but themselves.”

“Much like how you change names and faces so you won’t get blamed,” Jose added.

Futaba. “You need to apologize and make things right!”

“Fine,” Akitsu said. “I will. Sorry.” He faded away, and Ren stole the treasure.

“Alright,” Ren said. “We’re doing pretty well so far. How’s everyone feeling?”

“A little tired but I could go on,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah,” Futaba agreed. “It’s a good thing we keep running into those rest areas.”

“That it is,” Ren said. “We just have a few more things to take care of, and then we’re home free. Now let’s move.” They continued on.

They found the next portal and hopped through. They saw their next target. They were wearing a purple kimono with a white headband, and had short, spiky, black hair. “That’s Mr. Hirai,” Jose said. “He’s keeping his daughter locked up in her room, away from her boyfriend.”

“How terrible,” Lena said. “We need to go and make things right!”

“Yeah!” Jose said. They walked forward.

Katashi looked at them. “What do you want?”

“We want you to free Cho!” Jose demanded.

“I will,” Katashi said. “Once she breaks up with that COCKROACH!”

“You can’t control how other people feel!” Lena screamed.

“Why are you so upset about this anyway?!” Jose asked

“Why should you care?!” Katashi replied. “He’s just another roadblock on her path to greatness! Much like you lot!” He transformed into Vasuki.

“Let’s get ‘em!” Ren commanded. They began their fight. Katashi was powerful, but again, the Phantom Thieves won out.

“The Inoue family… They ruined our chance at greatness…” Katashi explained. “How am I supposed to tolerate my daughter dating one?”

“Forgive me,” Yusuke interjected, “but wasn't that a while ago?”

Jose nodded. “What has Tama Inoue ever done to you? Apart from simply exist?”

Katashi sighed. “Nothing, I guess… Apart from dealing a blow to my pride as a Hirai.”

“Well, time heals all wounds,” Lena said. “But it sounds like you don’t want this wound to heal.”

“Bu Cho does,” Jose reminded him.

“...Fine,” Katashi relented. “I’ll bury the hatchet. Let’s see if the Inoues are ready to do the same.”

“And if they aren't, we'll be there to assist as well,” Jose said.

“Heh,” Katashi said. “I like you, kid.” He faded away, and Ren stole his treasure.

“One more, and then we’re good!” Ryuji cheered.

Ren nodded. “Well then, let’s hit the road.” They continued on through Mementos.

They found their last portal and jumped inside. “So this is Nejima,” Morgana surmised. “The businessman cheating at a video game.”

“Well, I guess it’s time we put a stop to it!” Ryuji said. They approached him. “Hey!” Nejima looked at them. “Quit cheating, ya asshole!”

“Hmph,” Nejima smirked. “I ain’t cheating! I just can’t be touched!” He transformed into Ose. “Come on! Try and stop me!”

“You heard the man!” Ren called out. They began their assault. However, something was different. Whenever they tried to attack, Nejima would avoid it.

“What’s going on?!” Ann panicked.

“I TOLD ya!” Nejima said. “I can’t be touched! No matter how hard you try, I’ll always win!”

“Let’s back off for now,” Ren said. The others nodded, and they retreated.

As they were continuing down, Ryuji spouted “MAN this sucks!”

“I know,” Ann said. “But what could we do?”

“Yeah,” Ryuji relented.

“Why couldn’t we hit him though?” Jose asked.

“He did say he was ‘untouchable’,” Yusuke said.

The Phantom Thieves thought about it. “Maybe,” Ren suggested, “it’s because he cheats. He’s untouchable here because he’s untouchable in the game.”

“That can happen?” Sumire asked.

“It’s the Metaverse,” Morgana said. “I’m not surprised.

“Is there really no way to stop him?” Makoto wondered.

“Well…” Futaba answered. “I’ve seen talk about this guy online. He’s pretty notorious. But I think people have beaten him before.”

“So, we just gotta learn how to beat him, and apply it here?” Lena wondered.

“Sounds like it,” Futaba answered.

“Great, more work,” Ryuji said.

“I’ll take care of finding someone who can beat him,” Futaba said.

“Sweet! Thanks Oracle!” Ryuji said.

“Provided you get me some yakisoba,” Futaba finished.

Ryuji hung his head. “Fine. Can you wait until tomorrow? These sessions wear us down a lot so I think I’m probably going to go home after this and just go to bed.”

“Sure thing,” Futaba said.

“Thanks,” Ryji replied. They continued on.

They soon found another door blocking their path. Ren walked up to it and put her hand on it. “Yup. Nothing.”

“Nothing?” Lena wondered.

“Nothing,” Ren answered.

“But, how were you able to open the other door?” Lena asked.

“These doors only open if we have enough notoriety,” Ren explained.

“I get it,” Futaba said. “So because we took down Medjed, we were able to open the previous door?”

“Basically,” Ren said.

“I see,” Lena said, impressed. “So now what?”

“Now we leave,” Ren said.

“Eh?” Lena wondered.

“Well, we can’t go down any further right now,” Ann said. “So we have to go back and wait until we get more notoriety.”

“I see,” Lena said.

“Well then, let’s head up,” Morgana instructed. They started heading back up Mementos.

“Well, we sure got a lot done today,” Makoto said.

“Yeah,” Lena replied. “It feels good helping people like this.”

“Well said Cupid!” Morgana said.

“Still, I’m a little tired,” Yusuke said.

“Well then, let’s hit it!” Ren said. She put the pedal to the metal, and they started going up faster.

They continued climbing up Mementos. However, on the floor below the exit, their path was blocked. The Phantom Thieves stepped out of Morgana, who then transformed back into his usual self. They looked at the thing blocking their path. It was a gray old-fashioned deep-sea diver’s suit with a big air hose coming out the helmet. “What is this?” Morgana asked.

The diver began to open the front hatch on their helmet, revealing themselves. The thieves were shocked. “P-Principal Kobayakawa?” Makoto shrieked.

“Hm,” Kobayakawa huffed. He was still wearing the domino mask. “So, YOU’RE the Phantom Thieves! You’ve meddled for the last time! Dead or alive, you’re coming with me!”

“Uh, what’s going on?” Ryuji asked.

“How should I know?” Morgana answered.

“You’re from here!” Ryuji snapped.

“So am I,” Jose interjected. “And I’ve never seen anything like this.”

“Hang on!” Futaba said. She began analyzing him. “Woah!”

“What is it, Oracle?” Yusuke asked.

“It’s…weird…” Futaba answered. “This is a shadow, but there’s a little more oomph to him!”

“‘More oomph’ how?” Ann asked.

“I…can’t quite say,” Futaba said. “It’s like he's getting powered up from a different source.”

“So, should we fight him?” Lena wondered.

“I don’t think we have much of a choice,” Sumire answered.

“Well then,” Ren stretched, “let’s get to it!”

Kobayakawa was seething. He transformed into Seth, but the air hose remained attached to him. “Bring it on!” They began sparring.

After a few exchanges, Lena remarked “This guy’s tough!”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “But it’ll be worth it! I can’t wait to take him down for letting Kamoshida run rampant for as long as he did!”

“Bah!” Kobayakawa scoffed. “Kamoshida did nothing wrong!”

“ARE YOU SHITTIN’ ME?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“Might makes right!” Kobayakawa countered. “He’s an Olympic Gold Medalist! He should have gotten everything he wanted, no questions asked! Then you scum came along and took away our most valuable teacher!”

“What a disgusting person,” Yusuke remarked.

“So, this is how you really feel,” Makoto said.

They continued their battle. After a few more rounds, Kobayakawa asked “Why are you trying to meddle in things anyway? Why can’t you accept things the way they are?”

“Hm,” Morgana scoffed. “We’re here to change the world!”

“Bah! Rubbish!” Kobayakawa replied. “Only a select few can change the world.”

“Are…you here on their behalf?” Jose wondered.

“Hmph. For a gang as stupid as the Phantom Thieves, you’re kind of smart,” Kobayakawa scoffed. “But yes. We do all sorts of things to change the word.”

“Things like stealing research, and killing innocent people?!” Futaba asked angrily.

“It’s for the greater good!” Kobayakawa answered. “You brats wouldn't understand.”

“You’re right,” Sumire said. “We don’t understand. Your logic is so incomprehensible that anyone with a heart couldn’t understand it.”

“Hm. Maybe if you talked to him, he’d explain it in a way you’d understand,” Kobayakawa retorted. Hell, if you hadn’t been so meddlesome, I’m sure he would have granted you a place among his ranks. But because you've interfered and pissed him off,  I doubt he’d give you a warm welcome.”

“Well,” Ren began, “if his reasoning is anything like yours, we wouldn’t want a place among his ranks; whoever he is.”

“You could have all the power you could ask for,” Kobayakawa said.

“I’d rather die,” Ren snapped back.

“Well then, I shall grant your wish!” Kobayakawa shouted. They continued fighting. It was really tough, but slowly but surely, the Phantom Thieves managed to get the upper hand. They wore him down, and Ren delivered the finishing blow.

Principal Kobayakawa turned back into himself wearing the diver’s suit. He was breathing heavily. “How…? How could I lose to such cretins?” he wondered.

“Hey!” Ryuji shouted. “The guy you were talking about. Who is he?!”

Kobayakawa looked at them. “He is the man that will make Japan the greatest country in the world.”

“WHAT?! FOR REAL?!” Skull yelped.

“Calm down Skull,” Yusuke said. “I know you hate him but we can’t get any information from him if we’re hostile.”

“Yeah, but!...” Ryuji sighed. “Fine.”

“So,” Ren said, “is that why you’re on his side?”

“Of course,” Kobayakawa answered. “He has the ambition of a thousand men, and the power to back it up.” He sighed. “However, after failing to capture you, I’m probably not long for this word once I get back. He’ll have me executed.”

The thieves were stunned. “Executed?!” Lena shrieked.

Kobayakawa nodded. “If you even cross him once, your head will be on a platter. He does not tolerate dissent. But who should?! If you have power, you should get what you want!”

“It doesn’t work like that!” Makoto countered. “You don’t reach the top and get everything you want!”

“Kamoshida had to learn that too!” Ann joined in.

Kobayakawa was faltering. “Hey!” Futaba called out. “We aren’t like them! If you switch sides, we’ll let you live.”

Kobayakawa smiled. “I think I might take you up on that. If I don’t go back, I won’t get killed.”

“Kinda weak, but I guess that’s something,” Ryuji said.

Kobayakwa continued. “First thing’s first, I must atone for my sins. Let me start with this: He’s aiming to become the most powerful person in Japan. He won’t go down easily. You have to come at him with everything you got.”

Kobayakawa started to fade away. “WAIT!” Ren called out. It was too late. Kobayakawa faded. However, his diving suit did not. It fell over, leaving a golden Shujin seal. Ren grabbed it. After it was gone, the diving suit was pulled away from them.

“Follow that suit!” Futaba shouted. They followed it up to the top of Mementos, but when they got there it had disappeared. Futaba tried searching for it, but had no luck. “No way!”

Ann looked at the seal in Ren’s hands. “Is that…his treasure?”

Ren took some time to look at it. “Seems like it.”

“But why?” Makoto asked. “Why is his treasure like this? We’re in Mementos, not a palace, and certainly not his.”

“Hmm, that is tricky,” Morgana said.

“Maybe it has something to do with the weird reading he had,” Sumire suggested.

“It’s possible,” Futaba said.

“So now what?” Ryuji asked.

“I think we should continue this discussion at Leblanc,” Ren said.

“Good idea,” Makoto said. Ren put the seal away, and they left Mementos.

Once they arrived at Leblanc, Sojiro said “Woah! Are you kids alright?”

“Sort of,” Yusuke said.

“It’s complicated,” Makoto said.

“We need to discuss some things,” Sumire said.

“Say no more,” Sojiro replied. “I’ll fix you up some dinner.”

“Thanks Sojiro!” Futaba exclaimed. The thieves sat down.

“So, what are we doing about Principal Kobayakawa?” Ryuji asked.

“I’m not sure there’s anything we can do,” Makoto said.

“It sounds like he’s going to atone for his sins,” Lena said.

“But what does that mean?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, we have his treasure,” Morgana said. “I imagine it will be something similar to what’s been happening.”

“I guess,” Ryuji said. “I’ve just got this weird feeling, you know?”

“It is an odd bit of circumstance,” Yusuke said. “But one that we can use to our advantage.”

“So, when he said the person he was working for is aiming to be the most powerful person in Japan…?” Ann wondered.

“Do you think it has something to do with the election?” Sumire wondered.

“Maybe,” Makoto said. “But it’s still not enough to go off of.”

“Why not?” Jose asked.

“The ruling coalition is fracturing left and right,” Makoto explained. “Several new parties are forming, so it’ll be hard to determine who among them is the person Kobayakawa was talking about.”

Jose was still confused. “Basically, that doesn’t narrow it down in any meaningful way,” Ren explained.

“Gotcha,” Jose said.

“Besides, who says it has to be whoever becomes Prime Minister?” Yusuke asked. “So long as this person had the Prime Minister’s ear, they could do whatever they wanted through them.”

“That’s true too, huh,” Makoto said.

“There’s still the weird reading I got...” Futaba said.

“And the fact that the diving suit was still there after Kobayakawa’s heart changed,” Morgana added.

“I have no idea what that’s about,” Ren concluded.

“Ugh,” Ryuji sighed. “This is another one of those Hydra-thingies.”

“Well, I’m glad to see you’re paying attention,” Makoto remarked.

Ann looked over at Ren. “Oh hey, you still have Kobayakawa’s treasure, right?” Ren nodded. I want to see what it’s like now that it’s on this side.”

“Oh yeah,” Lena said. “They change forms.”

Ren nodded and took out the treasure. It was not a seal, but a series of photographs. “What the?” Ryuji wondered.

They took a closer look. The photos were of two men, neither of whom were Kobayakawa, in the process of kissing, taking their clothes off, and getting ready to go further. Makoto’s face was red. “Wh-Why does Principal Kobayakwa consider this his treasure?”

“I honestly have no clue,” Futaba said.

“It has to mean something,” Morgana said. “But what?”

“You think you can look into these?” Ren asked Futaba.

“Uh, maybe,” Futaba answered. “But I’m already looking through Makoto’s sis’s computer.”

“Right,” Makoto said. “I think that should take priority.”

“So, what do we do with these?” Ryuji asked.

“I’ll take them,” Makoto said. “I have an idea.”

“Are you sure?” Ren asked. Makoto nodded. “Then by all means.”

Makoto took them. “Bear in mind, we might not get the answer right away.”

“That’s fine,” Yusuke said. “Like you said, your sister’s information takes precedent.”

“Right,” Makoto said.

“Oh!” Lena said. “Do you need help searching for someone who can beat that cheater as well, Futaba?”

“Oh yeah,” Jose said. “I almost forgot about him.

“I don’t blame ya,” Ryuji said.

“Nah, I’m good on that front,” Futaba answered. “I can get that done in less than 30 minutes, or your yakisoba back.”

“Nah, you can keep it anyway,” Ryujji said. “Although again, I’ll haveta get it to ya tomorrow.”

“Yakisoba accepted,” Futaba said.

“Um,” Sumire interjected, “if you get the information tomorrow, you can go down there without me. I’m leaving during the middle of the school day.”

“Right,” Ann said.

“Well, we’re leaving the day after,” Ryuji said. “So it’s either that, or wait.”

“I think we can handle it,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “Thank you Sumire,.”

“You’re welcome,” Sumire replied.

‘Here you go,” Sojiro said, giving them their dinner. Everyone thanked him, and they dug in.

After they finished, they headed home for the night, with the last one to leave being Sumire. As she was just about out the door, she turned around and gave Ren a hug. “Just in case I don’t see you tomorrow morning.” Ren hugged her back. They shared a kiss. They let go, and Sumire was ready to go. “Bye!” she waved.

“Bye! Ren waved back. Sumire disappeared into the night. Ren smiled. She then went upstairs to get ready for bed.

Notes:

And things just keep getting interesting...

So, one of the more difficult things about doing this is that I have to restrain myself and not give too much away. I mean, we know who Kobayakawa is working for, but they aren't supposed to yet. And besides, there's a little more intrigue in the differences that were hinted at.

I heard some theories or ideas that Kobayakawa had a palace, but they never got into it before...well, you know... Personally, I kind of disagree, but it did lead me to creating this sort of middle ground, so I hope you enjoy it, as well as the rest of this fic, which I hope will answer all your questions later. I know it will answer some, but I can't predict what questions you have.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 134: Edging

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, the SIU Director was on the phone. “WHAT?!”

“Like I said, sir,” said the vice principal of Shujin on the other side, “Principal Kobayakawa called me to tell me he wasn’t feeling well.”

“Hmmm,” the Director grunted.

“What should we do?” the vice principal asked.

“Keep an eye on the situation for now,” the Director told him “We’ll handle things on our end.”

“Thank you sir,” the vice principal said.

The Director hung up. “I thought for sure he died… Well, no matter. If things are as I suspect, we’ll take care of this. Hm a perfect appetizer before the main course.”

As lunch started, Ren got a message from Sumire.

Sumire: I’m leaving now.

Sumire: Sorry we didn’t meet before school.

Ren: It’s fine. We kind of expected it.

Ren: Besides, we kind of did something last night.

Sumire: Right.

Sumire: I just wanted to say bye before leaving you.

Ren: Of course. You work hard at your training.

Sumire: You have fun on your field trip.

Sumire: I love you.

Ren: I love you too.

Ren put her phone away. She ate lunch, and then proceeded to go through the rest of her school day.

After school, Ren got a message from Futaba.

Futaba: So, there are a few people who have beaten that cheater.

Futaba: The most consistent person to do so is a kid named Shinya Oda.

Ren: A kid, you say?

Futaba: Yeah, but he’s really good.

Futaba: He’s even earned himself the nickname “The King”.

Ren: That's impressive.

Futaba: From what I could gather, he usually hangs out at the arcade in Akihabara.

Futaba: I’d go myself, but…you know…

Ren chuckled.

Ren: Say no more. I’m on my way.

Ren put her phone away, and headed for Akihabara.

Meanwhile, Miss Kawakami opened the door to Dr. Maruki’s office. Maruki was a little surprised. “Oh. Miss Kawakami. I wasn’t expecting you.”

Kawakami calmed down and realized she just kind of barged in. “Oh. Sorry. You could have had a student here.”

Maruki chuckled. “It’s fine. Please come in.”

Kawakami entered and sat down. “Sorry again. I’m just so excited.”

“Well that’s good,” Maruki replied. “But what brought this on?”

“Well, last night,” Kawakami began, “the Takases called me and apologized for everything.”

Maruki was stunned. “Wow.”

Kawakami nodded. “They told me I don’t have to pay them anymore. And the real crazy thing is, they’re even paying me back! I mean, how crazy is that?”

“It certainly is something.” Maruki replied.

“Do you think the Phantom Thieves really helped me out?” Kawakami asked.

“Of course,” Maruki nodded. “I mean, it sounded like Amamiya-chan was set on telling them, right?”

“I guess…” Kawakami said. “But I still had my doubts.”

“Right,” Maruki said. “But sometimes, truth is stranger than fiction.”

“Maybe you’re right,” Kawakami said. She relaxed. “Still, this is a load off of my shoulders. I can finally move forward.”

Maruki nodded. “That’s…that’s good.” Kawakami was puzzled. “Sorry. It is good. It's just,” he sighed, “I’ve been going through something myself.”

“Oh,” Kawakami replied. “I’m sorry. I didn’t know.”

“It’s fine,” Maruki said. “I’m getting better just like you.”

Kawakami smiled. “Well, that makes me feel better.”

Maruki chuckled. “So, what’s your plan going forward?”

“Well…” Kawakami answered. “I’m planning on quitting my other job, that’s for sure. But that might take a bit, since I don’t want to leave them hanging. I mean, despite everything, they helped me out too.”

“Of course,” Maruki nodded.

“But then,” Kawakami continued, “I want to become the teacher I’ve always wanted to be. Being there for my students. Making sure they succeed.”

“Well that sounds wonderful,” Maruki said.

“Yeah,” Kawakami agreed. “Although, I might need a little help getting back on my feet after all of that.”

Maruki nodded. “Well then.” He grabbed one of his business cards, and offered it to Kawakami. “You can find my number on here. Since your nights will be a little more free, you can talk to me whenever.”

Kawakami was a little flustered, but took the card. “Thanks. You know, it has been really nice talking things out with you.”

Maruki nodded. “Likewise, it’s nice to spend time with another teacher. A lot of the staff seem to be too busy to answer any questions I have. But I guess since I’m not under as strict control as everyone else, they see me as an outsider.”

“Nah,” Kawakami said. “I bet they’re just jealous.”

Maruki chuckled. “Well, if you say so.”

Kawakami stood up. “Well, I should go. I haven’t quit yet.”

“Right,” Maruki said. “Oh hey, are you not going on the trip if you have to work?”

Kawakami shook her head. “I’m going. I asked off a while ago, so they know.”

“I see,” Maruki said. “Well, have fun.”

“Thanks,” Kawakami replied. “You hold the fort down while I’m gone.”

“Will do,” Maruki responded. Kawakami left. Maruki then began processing the conversation. “Wait, did I just give my number to a woman…? No. No, she’s a colleague. ...Right?”

Meanwhile, Kawakami was rushing out of the school. Did…Did he just give me his number?

Ren arrived in Akihabara and made her way to the arcade. She began looking around. She didn’t have to look far, as she soon heard a kid’s voice shouting “Take THAT you bastard!” She walked over to see a kid aggressively playing Gun About. He kept grunting and cursing. Ren was a little unsure, but he did manage to get the high score. “THAT’S how it’s done.”

Ren clapped for him, while all the others watching remained still. “Good job.”

The kid was confused. He huffed and asked “What do YOU want?!”

Ren walked over to him. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re Shinya Oda, ‘The King’, right?”

“...That’s right…” he pouted.

“Well, I could use your help,” Ren said. “See, there’s this notorious cheater…”

“Oh, THAT guy,” Shinya said. “Yeah, I know him.”

“Well, I’m just wondering if you could help me get the drop on him,” Ren proposed.

“Why should I care?” Shinya asked, flippantly. “I mean, I’ve beaten him. That’s enough for me.”

“He’s acting like a real jerk,” Ren said.

“Pah, tell me about it,” Shinya agreed.

“So, I’d like to put him in his place,” Ren said.

“He’s still gonna act like a big shot,” Shinya said. “If the Phantom Thieves did it, they could put him in his place.”

Ren got an idea. “What if I told you I could teach this to the Phantom Thieves?”

Shinya’s eyes widened. “Can you?”

Ren nodded. “I don’t know if you know this, but I’m a firm believer of the Phantom Thieves.”

“Oh yeah!” Shinya exclaimed. “Now I remember! You defended them on that TV show.”

“That’s me,” Ren said, slightly embarrassed.

“The Phantom Thieves are so awesome!” Shinya continued. He grew suspicious. “But can you really teach them this trick?”

“Of course,” Ren said. “After the interview, they contacted me to help them out.”

“Prove it,” Shinya said.

Ren nodded. “Just a sec.” She walked away and got out her phone.

Ren: Hey Futaba, are you busy?

Futaba: Sort of, but not really.

Futaba: Makoto’s sis’s data is being extracted right now, and there’s a lot to go through, so it’ll be a while.

Futaba: What’s up?

Ren: Well, I’m meeting with Shinya, and he’s…kind of a firebrand.

Futaba: Yeah, he’s good at the game, but can be a bit hostile.

Ren: I told him I was working for the Phantom Thieves, and now he’s demanding proof.

Ren: So, can you whip up a little proof?

Futaba: …Fine.

Futaba: But you owe me some yakisoba now too.

Ren: Did Ryuji give you some already?

Futaba: Yeah. He stopped by earlier.

Ren: Alright. I’ll get some after this is taken care of.

Futaba: Thanks.

Futaba: You can just go to Leblanc. I’ll be there to see you off.

Ren: Thanks.

Futaba: Alright, it’s ready.

Ren: That was fast.

Futaba: I am an expert.

Ren: Of course.

Futaba: Just go to the Gun About website.

Futaba: It’ll only be there for a bit, so be quick.

Ren: I will. Thanks.

Ren: See you tonight.

Futaba: Later.

Ren closed the messaging app, and then opened up the Gun About website. She walked over to Shinya. “Hey. I have the proof.”

Shinya was suspicious. “That was fast.”

“Well, they are the Phantom Thieves,” Ren reminded him. “Here you go.” She showed him the webpage.

Shinya was curious. “What’s this?” On the Gun About page was the Phantom Thieves logo with the message underneath “Is this enough, your majesty?” “Wow!” Shinya said, impressed. “You really DO know the Phantom Thieves!”

“Told you,” Ren said.

Shinya smirked. “Alright then. I’ll teach ya how to deal with that cheater.” He readied himself. Ren walked over and picked up the second controller. “Ready?” Shinya asked

“As ready as I can be,” Ren answered.

“Alright then,” Shinya said. “Then let’s GO!” The game started. Shinya was an expert, and was getting ridiculous combos. Meanwhile, Ren was trying her best, but wasn’t doing as well as Shinya. “No no no!” he shouted. “You’re doing it all wrong! Are you trying to lose?!”

“Sorry,” Ren said, earnestly.

Shinya was caught off guard by that.. He scoffed and then said “Well, whatever. Just make sure your score’s not so low we have to do this again.”

“Got it,” Ren replied.

Meanwhile, Ren overheard some observers. “That poor girl. Playing with The King.”

“He’s an exceptional player. But his nasty personality drives others away.”

“I hope she’s holding up. I’d hate to see The King make another person cry.”

“Tch. Buncha idiots,” Shinya said under his breath. Ren noticed how Shinya was trying to keep up a tough facade. As he was leading her through the game, she was starting to get better. “NOW you’re playing with power!”

They got to a pretty difficult part in the game. “Alright, if you want to defeat the cheater, follow my lead exactly,” Shinya instructed. Ren nodded. “Aim here. Shoot three times. Then aim here. Then shoot three times again. This needs to be done in rapid succession.” Ren observed Shinya’s technique, and then tried it for herself. Surprisingly, she managed it on the first go. “Yeah, you’re gettin’ it!” He started shooting some more. “Now we just unload on the guy.” Ren smiled and started firing her gun.

Once the training session was over, Shinya looked up to Ren and said “Not bad, for a rookie.”

Ren chuckled. “Thanks.”

Shinya then got a little embarrassed. “Um, if the Phantom Thieves need help like this again, I’d be glad to train you some more. If you can keep up.”

Ren giggled. She knew Shinya could use a friend. She could deal with a few sharp edges. Besides, the Phantom Thieves’ gun technique could use an upgrade. “Sure. If you’ll have me.”

Shiya was excited. “Really?” Ren nodded. Shinya smiled. “Thanks.”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Tower Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Tower-Shinya Oda: Rank 1

Shinya nodded. “Well, I should get going. I gotta get home soon.”

Ren nodded back. “Take care.” Shinya nodded once more, and then rushed off. Ren grew determined. She got out her phone.

Ren: Do you mind if I take care of Nejima by myself?

Yusuke: Fine by me. I need to prepare for my trip.

Ryuji: Yeah, my mom wants to spend all night together

Ann: I think we’ll be fine if you do it alone.

Makoto: Just be sure you have time to pack and rest.

Futaba: And don’t forget to get me that yakisoba.

Ryuji: You too?

Ren: She did me a favor.

Jose: Hey. In case I don’t see you guys tomorrow, have fun!

Lena: Thanks Jose! You have fun too.

Futaba: Remember, you can come over to keep me and Morgana company if you’d like.

Jose: Of course. I can’t wait.

Ren looked at Morgana. “I mean, I’ll miss you, but it’ll be nice to have some other people to talk to.”

Ren: Morgana’s excited as well.

Ann: Seeya Morgana!

Lena: We’ll get you something nice.

“Hm,” Morgana chuckled. “Thanks.”

Ren: Morgana says “Thanks.”

Ren: Anyway, I should be off.

In Mementos, Ren and Morgana confronted Nejima’s shadow alone. “What? Back for more?” Nejima said. He changed into Ose again. “I TOLD you I’m untouchable!”

“We’ll see about that!” Ren said. She took out her gun and performed the exploit Shinya taught her. Sure enough, Nejima was down on the ground. “How ‘bout THAT?!”

“WHAT?!” Nejima said “NO! I…I CAN’T LOSE!”

“Looks like you just did,” Morgana chided.

He turned back into himself. “I’m a failure at work…I have no friends…this is all I have…”

“Well, you shouldn’t be such a jerk about it,” Morgana said.

“Yeah, stolen valor isn’t any way to get people to like you,” Ren said. “If you really want to break through to someone, you have to be earnest.”

“Do…Do you think I can do it?” Nejima asked.

“Only you can answer that,” Ren said. “But it wouldn’t hurt to try.”

Nejima smiled. “Thanks.” He faded away.

Ren stole the treasure. “Alright, now we just gotta leave, and get Futaba that yakisoba, and then we can crash for the night.”

“Nya! I can’t wait!” Morgana cheered.

“Will you be OK when I’m gone?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Morgan replied. “It’s not like you’ll be gone forever.”

Ren smiled. “True.” She looked out. “Let’s head out.”

“OK,” Morgana agreed. The duo left the portal, and rushed up through Mementos, leaving it for the evening.

Notes:

And with that, I think I might take a bit of an extended break. Next up is the Hawaii segment, and I'm still unsure if it should be one big chapter, or if I should split it up. I'll figure it out. But while I'm figuring it out, I may not update this story for the rest of the year. I think it is a pretty good place to end off on. Once it starts up again, the story will pick up some more, and we'll start heading into the Okumura arc proper. I know I say this every time, but I'm really excited to show you what's in store. Having said all that, Happy Holidays, and see you next year! (Unless I figure things out before then, you never know.) Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 135: Coming to America

Notes:

Happy New Year Everyone!

So, I've decided to split Hawaii into parts. How many depends on how many pages it takes to go over the scenes. The day Yusuke arrives might be its own chapter, just for the sheer amount of stuff that happens that day. But I digress. Once the Hawaii trip is over, the pacing should return to normal for a little while. At least until the Cultural Festival. Probably.

Do you guys mind the pacing of each chapter? I don't want to overwhelm you when reading it so that's why I don't often do multiple days in one chapter. Sometimes it can't be helped, but I just want you to enjoy yourselves. Speaking of, enjoy.

Chapter Text

Ren was all set to go to Hawaii the next morning. Sojiro came up to greet her on her way out. “Have fun on your trip,” he said. “I’ll look after Futaba and Morgana  while you’re gone.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Boss.”

“Heh, don’t mention it,” Sojiro replied. “Although, you owe me one.”

“I think we’re well past the point of me owing you just ‘one’,” Ren rebutted.

“Maybe,” Sojiro said, “if I wasn’t taking care of you.” Ren seemed a little confused. “Don’t worry about it. If you ever have kids someday, you’ll understand.”

“Um…” Ren reacted.

“I know,” Sojiro said. “But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible.”

“True, I guess,” Ren said. “Although I haven’t thought that far ahead. I mean, honestly, the idea of me having a girlfriend at all seemed like a non-starter for the longest time.”

“Heh heh,” Sojiro chuckled. “I was the same way once too. Life can be funny like that, you know.”

“Heh heh, yeah,” Ren agreed.

“Well, I shouldn't keep you any further,” Sojiro said. “Take care now.”

Ren nodded, and then took her things to set off. She noticed Morgana on the couch and decided to say goodbye to him too. “Hey,” she said. “I’ll be back soon.”

“I know,” Morgana said. “It’s just,” he sighed, “this is the first time in a while I’ll be apart from you, ya know?”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “But you’ll have Sojiro and Futaba. Not to mention Jose. And if my move to Tokyo has taught me anything, it’s that with the right people, you can get through anything.”

“Hm. True,” Morgana smirked. “You go on and have fun. And once you get back, we’ll have the results from Makoto’s sister’s computer.”

Ren giggled. “We’ll get you something nice from Hawaii too.”

“Can’t wait!” Morgana said. Ren gave him a quick scratch behind his ears and then headed out.

Later at the airport, Ren, Ann, Makoto, and Lena were gathered. Ann yawned. “I’m so sleepy.”

“We have about a six hour plane ride,” Makoto replied. “I’d recommend getting some sleep on the way there.”

“Sounds like a good idea,” Ann replied.

Lena was excited. “Eeeeee! I can’t wait! I’ll be in America again!”

“Are you from Hawaii?” Ren asked.

Lena shook her head. “But I can call my parents and actually have a bit of a conversation with them. It is a bit exhausting to practically be on the other side of the world. It’s night for me when it’s day for them, and vice versa.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

Lena grinned. “But this way, I’ll only be five hours behind! Or, is it six? Hang on, is it daylight savings time? Uhhhhh.”

Ryuji came rushing in. He made it to the rest of the group. He was panting. “I made it just in time. I didn't think I’d need to make such a mad dash.”

“Really?” Lena said. “Because airports are usually like this.”

“Well, I mean, I’ve never been to one, so…” Ryuji replied.

“Wait, like, ever?” Ann wondered.

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji said.

“Huh,” Ann replied.

“I mean, I’ve never needed too,” Ryuji said. “And my family isn’t the kind to afford a vacation that requires a plane. So it just never came up.” Ann came over to give Ryuji a hug. Ryuji reciprocated the hug. “Thanks.” They let go. “I mean, I don’t mind exactly, but I get it.”

Ann chuckled. “Well, if you want any pointers, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“Maybe you should have told him what to pack,” Makoto said. “It seems like you’re a little light.”

“Is it?” Ryuji wondered. “I mean, we’re only there for four days. How much could I need?”

“Ryuji is a simple man,” Ren said.

“I guess that’s fair,” Makoto said.

Ryuji was confused. “Don’t worry,” Ann said. “They weren’t insulting you.” Ryuji sighed, relieved.

“Besides, I always find I pack too much,” Lena said. “Maybe I could learn a thing or two from you.”

“Oh, uh, well, I think Ann might be a better teacher in that area,” Ryuji said. “I mean, she and her family have gone back and forth from America so many times, I think she could coordinate a travel bag down to the millimeter.”

Ann giggled. “Well, I’m flattered,” she replied, “but I don’t think that I’m that good.”

Mishima walked over to the group. “The teachers want us by the gates. It looks like we’ll be boarding soon.”

Makoto nodded. “Thanks Mishima.” Mishima nodded, and started heading out.

“Huh,” Ann said.

“What is it?” Ryuji asked.

“It’s nothing,” Ann said. “I’m just a little surprised is all. Flights to and from America are usually delayed.”

“Gotcha,” Ryuji said.

“Say, why don’t we take a picture before we go?!” Lena suggested.

Ren smiled. “Good idea.”

“Well let’s make this quick,” Makoto said. “I don’t want to miss our flight.”

Ren got her phone out. “Gather round everyone!” They all gathered. “Say ‘Hawaii!’”

“Hawaii!” Ren took the picture.

They all looked at the picture. “Hm. I have to say, it looks really good,” Makoto said.

“No kidding!” Lena replied.

Ren noticed she got a message from Futaba.

Futaba: Ryuji, you got some gunk in your eye.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. He wiped his eyes. “Holy crap, she’s right!”

“How could she tell?” Ann wondered.

Futaba: Surprised?

Futaba: I snuck a camera on Ren’s phone.

Futaba: Never underestimate the power of the Original Medjed.

Makoto was stone solid. “I am so glad she’s on our side.”

Futaba: Me too.

Futaba: You’re all really cool!

“Heh heh, thanks,” Lena said.

“Well, we should head out,” Ann said.

Makoto nodded. “I agree.” They started towards the gate. Ren messaged Futaba.

Ren: Sorry for not saying goodbye in person.

Futaba: Eh, it’s OK. Just have a good time.

Ren: Will do. See you when I get back.

Futaba: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away and boarded the plane.

The plane ride there was rather uneventful. For the most part, everyone slept right through it; although some people slept longer than others. The last person to wake up was Ryuji, and he only did so at the beginning of their descent. However, he did wake up enough to see Diamond Head from the plane alongside everyone else.

Once they landed, they went through customs, and then were guided to their buses to get to their hotel. Once they arrived, everyone was a combination of excited and exhausted.

“I wanna go to the beach!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“We’re going to do that after room assignments,” Makoto told him.

“Oh,” Ryuji said, slightly disappointed.

“You should probably go meet up with the rest of your class,” Mishima said.

Ryuji sighed. “I guess.”

Ann chuckled. “Don’t worry, we can hang out once this is done, OK sweetie?”

Ryuji smiled. “OK. Seeya!” He gave Ann a peck on the cheek, and then headed off to get his room assignment.

Ann was blushing a bit. Ren chuckled and said “Smooth.”

Ann chuckled back. “Well, you know Ryuji: When he’s determined, he works really hard.”

“Too true,” Ren replied.

“So, do you want to be roomies?” Ann asked.

“Do you even have to ask?” Ren said.

“You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear the two of you have been friends since elementary school,” Mishima stated.

Ann and Ren were a little surprised by this observation. “Well, I guess it’s because Ann is so easy to get along with,” Ren replied.

“What?!” Ann said, shocked. “No no no no no, it’s because YOU’RE so easy to get along with.”

“Uh, are you forgetting I LITERALLY had no friends in my hometown?” Ren retorted.

“Well that’s their loss,” Ann responded. “Because you really are easy to get along with.” The girls couldn’t hold their serious faces for long, and ended up laughing again.

“See, this is what I mean,” Mishima said. He sighed. “I kind of wish I was that close with Suzui still.”

“Well, I mean, you could try…” Ren offered, hoping it didn’t come off too bad.

“Yeah!” Ann said, picking up the ball. “I mean, we’re on a field trip. Now's the perfect chance to make some memories and get closer to people.”

Mishima was shocked. “You really think I could?” he asked.

“Well, after your room assignment, of course,” Ren reminded him.

“Oh, right,” Mishima said. “Um, let’s see…”

“Hey,” a voice said. A fellow student walked up to them. He had short black hair and hazel eyes. Ren and Makoto recognized him as one of the boys they caught making out at the arcade. “You’re in my class, right? You said you needed a roommate?”

“Uh, yeah,” Mishima said. “I guess we could be roommates.”

The boy turned over to Ren. “Is he cool?”

“Well, it depends,” Ren answered. “He has a tendency of getting ahead of himself. But in the way you’re asking, yes.”

The boy shrugged. “Good enough for me.”

“Wait, uh, what’s going on?” Mishima asked.

“I’ll explain once we get to our room,” the boy said.

“Uh, OK…” Mishima said, a little concerned.

Ren giggled. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Well, if you say so,” Mishima said. He turned to the boy. “Let’s go.”

“You two should get to your room as well,” Makoto said. “I still have others to help.”

Ren nodded. “Roger that!” She turned to Ann. “Let’s go!”

“K!” Ann responded. The two of them got their room keys and went to set their stuff in their room. Once they got there, Ann asked “So, which bed do you want?”

Ren looked over the identical beds. “I guess I’ll take the one closer to the window. I find it more comforting.”

“Oh, I totally get what you mean,” Ann said. “Just watching the night sky until you fall asleep. It is SO relaxing.”

“Well, do you want it?” Ren offered.

Ann jumped onto the bed closer to the door. “Mm, nah,” she replied. “I can see it just fine from here. It is a big window after all.”

“True,” Ren agreed.

Ann smiled. “Besides, it’s your first time in America. I figured I should let you call the shots.”

Ren was slightly embarrassed. “Well, that’s sweet.” Something occurred to Ren. “Oh yeah, do you have any family you want to call since you’re here? Like Lena?”

“Mmmmm, not really,” Ann said. “I mean, I do have family in the States, but it’s not like this arrangement is new to me, you know?”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

“I’m a little surprised that you hadn’t talked to your parents much before they came to visit,” Ann said.

“Well, uh, I was just afraid, you know?” Ren admitted.

“I see,” Ann said. “Well, things seem to be going well now.”

Ren chuckled. “Yeah.” They continued arranging their stuff.

“Oh, by the way, what did that guy mean when he asked you if Mishima was ‘cool’?” Ann wondered. “Also, it seems like he knows your or something?”

Ren chuckled. “Well, it’s kind of a funny story…”

Meanwhile, Mishima and his new roommate were getting set up in their room. Mishima was a little curious about the exchange that happened before they agreed to this arrangement. Mishima then asked “So, um, what did you mean when you asked if I was, uh, ‘cool’?”

The boy looked at Mishima. “So…you’re cool with her?”

Mishima was a little surprised. “Um…yeah…we’re friends…”

“I see,” the boy responded.

“Eh heh,” Mishima laughed nervously.

The boy sighed. “I did say I’d explain it to you. If you need to know, I have a boyfriend.”

“Oh,” Mishima said. “You know, yeah, that kind of makes sense now. But um how do you know Amamiya-chan?”

The boy got a little nervous. “Well, uh, she and Niijima-senpai caught me and my boyfriend making out outside of an arcade. I was so worried, but she assured us that things would be OK because she was a lesbian, and she was friends with the student council president, so there was no need to worry.”

“I see,” Mishma said. “Well, your secret’s safe with me.”

Meanwhile, Ryuji was getting things ready in his room with his new roommate. He had shaggy brown hair and brown eyes, and was the other boy Ren and Makoto caught making out. “You know, usually I have trouble finding someone to buddy up with, but you asked me right away. I’m kind of curious about why.”

The other boy got a little nervous. “I just…it’s nothing.”

Ryuji was a little perplexed. “Um…K?”

“I just think, if push came to shove, you’d be fine with things,” the boy said.

“Like in a fight?” Ryuji asked. “Cause normally, I’d agree with you, but, well…” he looked down at his leg, “I’m not where I used to be physically.”

“No no, not that,” the boy said.

“Then how?” Ryuji asked.

The boy sighed. “So, I see you hanging out with that black-haired girl with glasses a lot,” he explained.

“You mean Ren?” Ryuji replied. “Yeah, we’re really good friends.”

“So, you know her secret then, right?” the boy asked.

“Um, secret…?” Ryuji asked “I mean, what secret?”

“So, you don’t know?” the boy said.

“Know what?” Ryuji said, slightly worried that this perfect stranger knows about the Phantom Thieves.

“About…who she’d like to go out with?” the boy asked, hoping Ryuji would pick up on things.

“Huh?” Ryuji said. “Well, uh, if you want to go out with her, you may be in a difficult position, cause she’s already dating someone.”

“Oh really?” the boy wondered.

“Uh, yeah,” Ryuji said. “And I’m friends with them too.”

“Is it that blonde girl in her class?” the boy asked.

“What, NO! That’s MY girlfriend!” Ryuji protested.

“Oh,” the boy said.

“Um wait…” Ryuji said. “Um, hold on… Why are you asking if she was dating another girl?”

The boy paused for a moment. “Oh… Wait, you said you’re friends with the person she’s dating, right?”

“Um, yeah,” Ryuji replied.

“Which would be another girl, right?” the boy asked.

“Ummmmm, what gave you that idea?” Ryuji said.

“She told me,” the boy informed him.

“Oh thank goodness,” Ryuji said, relaxed “I was so worried for a second.”

The boy chuckled. “Same.”

“So wait, how do you know about that?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh, uh, she and Niijima-senpai caught me and my boyfriend making out once,” the boy answered. “She told us to assure our secret would be safe.”

“Gotcha,”Ryuji said.

“And I imagine after this back and forth, you can keep my secret safe too, should the need arise,” the boy said.

Ryuji nodded. “Yeah.” They continued unpacking and setting things up.

Meanwhile, Lena and her roommate were finished setting things up. Her roommate had just changed into her swimsuit. “So, are you ready to hit the beach?”

“In a minute,” Lena replied. “You go on ahead. I wanna do something by myself.”

“Well, if you say so,” Lena’s roommate said. She left.

Lena got out her phone and made a call. “Hello?” the voice on the other end said.

“Hi dad,” Lena.

“Lena?” her dad responded. “Isn’t it a bit late?”

Lena giggled. “Well, if I were still in Japan maybe. But right now, I’m in Hawaii on a school trip!”

“Oh,” her dad said, relieved. “I thought you had gotten kicked out for some reason.”

“Daaad,” Lena said.

Her dad laughed. “Well, it’s nice you’re closer to home, even if you’re still like half an ocean away.” Lena chuckled. “Oh, hold on a sec…”

Lena waited patiently. After a while, she heard “Hello?”

Lena was surprised. “Mom?”

“Lena?”

Lena giggled. “Hi mom.”

“What’s going on?” her mom asked.

“Well…” Lena began explaining.

“Nevermind, your father’s telling me,” her mom informed her. Lena giggled some more. “Well, it’s nice to talk with you.”

“Same,” Lena said. “How have you been?”

“I’ve been doing good,” her mom answered. “I’ve missed you, you know.”

“I’ve missed you too,” Lena said.

“Well, once you’ve finished high school, you’ll be back here in no time!” Lena’s mom.

“Uh, right…” Lena said, getting a little concerned. She thought about Akechi. Would he leave? Would she stay? She wasn’t sure.

“Oh, I bet your sisters would want to say hi to,” Lena’s mom said. She lowered the phone. “Kids! You’re sister’s on the phone!”

Lena refocused herself. “Hiiii!” shouted two younger voices.

Lena smiled. “Hey you two!”

“I hope you’re having fun!” one of them said.

“How’s Japan?” the other one asked.

“Japan’s great! I’m having a good time,” Lena answered.

“We miss you,” one of them said.

“I miss you too,” Lena responded.

“Alright,” her dad said faintly. He took the phone back. “Well, as much fun as this has been, we were just about to leave to visit your grandma. And I imagine your school doesn’t permit you to talk on the phone for hours on end, even on a school trip.”

“Right,” Lena chuckled.

“Well, it was nice talking to you again, pumpkin,” Lena’s dad said. “I can’t wait to hear more.”

“I can’t wait to tell you more,” Lena replied.

“Alright. Talk to you later. Bye bye sweetie,” Lena’s dad told her.

“Bye bye,” Lena replied. She hung up and took a deep breath. She smiled. She changed into her swimsuit and headed to the beach.

She met up with Ren, Ann, Ryuji, Makoto, Mishima, and Shiho, who were already gathered on the beach. Mishima was wearing green trunks, while Shiho was wearing a red bikini. “Hey,” she said, arriving.

“Oh hey Lena,” Ryuji said. “How’s it going?”

“It’s going pretty good,” Lena replied.

“Well that’s always good,” Mishima said.

Shiho smelled the air. “Ahhhh! The air here is so refreshing.”

“Totally!” Ann replied. “The palm trees also give off a really nice atmosphere too.”

“Not to mention the clear water,” Ryuji said. “Honestly, the beaches here kick the ass of Japan’s beaches.”

“Hm. Can’t argue there,” Makoto said.

“Don’t you think the area is a little too clean?” Mishima asked. “Like this is the kind of place that people are lured to, only to get their organs harvested?”

“Calm down, Mishima,” Ren informed him.

Shiho put Mishima in a headlock and noogied him playfully. “C’mon Yuuki! Just enjoy it”

Shiho let go. “Eh heh,” he said, a little exacerbated.

“Wait…” Lena said. “Yuuki?”

“Oh, yeah,” Mishima said. “That’s my first name. But most people call me Mishima.”

“Why?” Lena asked.

“Personally, I just think Mishima sounds cooler,” Mishima admitted.

“Well, I think Yuuki’s cuter,” Shiho said.

“Shiho and I have known each other for forever, so she can call me Yuuki,” Mishima explained. “Besides, it’s hard to say no to her.”

“Well, aside from…” Shiho said.

“Well, yeah, but we don’t need to get into that now,” Ann said, brushing it off. “I mean, you are usually hard to say no to.”

“I can see why,” Lena said. “You’re really cute, but you have a commanding presence.”

Shiho chuckled. “Thanks Ann. Lena.”

“So, what are we doing?” Ren asked.

“Good question,” Makoto said.

“Oo! What about that place we saw as we were coming down?” Ryuji said.

“You mean Diamond Head?” Makoto wondered. “I mean, it is right over there,” she pointed to it. Everyone else looked. “But I think that might just be a bit too far to visit up close.”

“Aw man!” Ryuji pouted.

“Why do they call it Diamond Head anyway?” Mishima wondered.

“I dunno,” Ann said.

“We could look it up,” Lena said, pulling out her phone. Everyone else followed suit.

“Alright, let’s see,” Ryuji said. “Huh? People used to mistake volcanic rock for it?!”

“Well, history tends to do that,” Mishima said.

“Well, if I ever come back, on my own terms, I’d like to visit,” Shiho said.

“Same,” Ren said. “It looks really cool, even from a distance.”

“Well, if that’s out, then what?” Ryuji asked. “I wanna do something…you know…Hawaiian!”

“Hula dancing?” Ann offered.

“Pass!” Ryuji said.

“Well, it’s not like we’d have to take part,” Mishima said. “We could go and watch.”

“I like the sound of that!” Shiho said.

“Me too!” Lena added.

“Well, it looks like there’s a show at a nearby Tiki bar a few hours from now,” Makoto said. “I was looking it up on my phone, and it just popped up.”

“Sweet! We can go get something for dinner and catch a show at the same time!” Ann said.

“Sounds like a plan,” Ren said

“But what should we do in the meantime?” Mishima asked.

“Well, we’re all in our swimsuits,” Lena pointed out. “Wanna just go hit the beach?”

“Sure!” Ryuji said.

“Did you put sunscreen on?” Makoto asked.

“Yeah!” Ryuji answered. “I figured we’d be outside all day, so it was the smart thing to do. I’m not THAT stupid.”

“I was asking everyone,” Makoto said.

“Oh,” Ryuji replied. Everyone else nodded.

“Well, it seems like we’re ready then!” Shiho said. “Let’s go to the beach!” She started walking. Everyone else followed. They spent time playing around the beach before catching a Hula dancing show at a Tiki bar. It wasn’t as grandiose as they may have hoped, but it was a nice first day.

After they got back to their rooms, Ren and Ann were getting ready for bed. Ren felt a little perplexed for a moment. “You OK?” Ann asked.

Ren relaxed. “Yeah,” she answered. “It’s just, it’s a little weird. I’ve gotten used to sharing a room and bed with Morgana. So now that he’s not here, it’s a bit odd.”

“Gotcha,” Ann said. She flopped onto her bed. “So, are you relaxing alright?” she asked.

“Yeah,” Ren replied. “Why do you ask?”

“Well, I mean,” Ann said, “I’m relaxing for the most part. But part of me is just wondering about, well, us. When we get back, we’re back to figuring out who’s abusing the metaverse. Not to mention waiting for Eris to strike.” She looked at her phone. “Even now, the Phansite is popping off.” She sighed. “It’s just a lot, you know?”

“Yeah,” Ren agreed. “But I feel like we should take things one day at a time. We’re here to relax, so we should just relax. I mean, it’s not like we can do anything else right now.”

Ann chuckled. “You have a point.” She yawned. “Well, I’m really tired.”

“Me too,” Ren replied, getting under the covers.

Ann too got under the covers. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Ren replied. Soon, the two girls were asleep. The night was at peace, and so were they.

Chapter 136: Drifting

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ren, Ann, Ryuji, and Lena were gathered in the lobby of the hotel. “Say, is it just me, or is this field trip not what you expected?” Ryuji asked. “I mean, outside of a few places, I’m seeing mostly Japanese people.”

“Well, Hawaii actually has a fairly high Japanese population,” Lena pointed out.

“Really?” Ryuji wondered. Lena nodded. “Huh. I thought we’d be getting Alohas left, right, and center.”

“Well, that kind of atmosphere costs money that the school doesn’t have,” Ann said.

Makoto approached the group. “You can say that again,” she moaned.

“Are you alright, Makoto?” Ren asked.

“Yeah, what’s with the low energy?” Ryuji added on.

Makoto sighed. “I had to listen to the taxi driver complain for half an hour. It was exhausting.”

“Yikes!” Lena said.

“That must have sucked,” Ann said.

“Tell me about it,” Makoto said. “I’m used to listening to student’s complaints, but this was something else entirely.”

“So, what’s on the agenda for today?” Ren asked.

“Well, after this, nothing,” Makoto informed them.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped. “Isn’t the school supposed to plan things to do? I wanna go diving!”

“Apparently, things have been so chaotic that they couldn’t really plan anything,” Makoto said. “Same goes for the fact that they scrambled to get a bunch of third years to chaperone.”

“Ugh!” Ryuji groaned. “If we’re not doing anything, why are we here? We should be back in Japan kicking ass as the Phantom Thieves!”

“Um, you might want to keep it down,” Lena said. “I’ve heard people talking about the Phantom Thieves.”

“Really?” Makoto wondered. “They’re talking about us?”

“Yeah,” Lena said. “They’re saying all sorts of things too.’

“Well, we did just win a fight against an international hacking organization,” Ren reminded them.

“That’s what I’m sayin’!” Ryuji said. “We should be given’ these people more to talk about! Not wasting our time doin’ nothin’ halfway ‘round the world.”

“I know how you feel,” Ann said. “I’m anxious to get back and figure this out too. But as long as we’re here, we should enjoy ourselves. I mean, yesterday was fun, wasn’t it?”

“Hm, yeah,” Ryuji agreed. “It’s just so hard. Having the ability to help so many people, and not being able to use it.” Ryuji looked at Yusuke. “Isn’t that right, Yusuke?” Everyone was surprised that Yusuke had suddenly joined them. “Yusuke?!”

“Traveling abroad gives way to new insights,” Yusuke said, nonchalantly. “I’d prefer if we took as much in as we can.”

“What are you doing here?” Ann asked.

“Yeah shouldn’t you be in Los Angeles?” Ren asked.

“Apparently, they couldn’t land the plane due to a storm brewing on the west coast,” Yusuke answered. “Since it showed no sign of stopping, they changed our destination to Hawaii on the spot.”

“Huh,” Lena said.

“Do you just bring rain with you wherever you go?” Ryuji asked.

“Come to think of it, do you think what happened at the fireworks festival was Yusuke’s fault too?” Makoto wondered.

“Oh, when it got rained out?” Lena asked.

“Were you there?” Ren asked.

“My mom wanted to go,” Lena said. “She likes watching summer fireworks. It was the happiest I’d seen her. Well, until…you know…”

“Right,” Ren said.

“So, does Kosei have any plans for you?” Ryuji asked.

“Not really,” Yusuke said. “This was an impromptu visit, so there was no real time to make any plans. Although, I would like to sketch a few things as long as I’m here.”

Ren smiled. “Well, our school is in disarray, and as such, we don’t have any solid plans. Wanna join us?”

“By all means,” Yusuke said.

“So, what should we do?” Ryuji asked.

The group thought about it for a moment. “Oh, I know!” Lena said. “We should maybe look for souvenirs. I know my host mom wants something. And I might get something to send to my real family too!”

“Aww, that’s sweet of you,” Makoto said. “I bet sis would like something as well.”

“Yah, I should get something for my mom too,” Ryuji said.

“We also should get something for Futaba, Morgana, and Jose,” Yusuke said.

“Well, it sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said.

“I’ll message Shiho to see if she and Mishima would join us,” Ann said. The group got ready to go out for the day.

Soon, they were joined by Shiho and Mishima, and they went looking through the local shops. They spent time looking for just the right things for the people on their list. From time to time, Yusuke would find a scene, take out his sketchbook, and make a quick sketch. They didn’t find souvenirs for everyone, but they made some progress.

As they were walking around, Ann said “All this walking is making me hungry.”

“Same,” Ryuji said.

“Well, we have been walking around for a while,” Makoto said. “I think we should take a break and get something to eat.”

“Where should we eat though?” Shiho asked.

“Let’s see,” Lena said, taking her phone out.

Ren looked around. “Huh. I think we can stop looking.” Everyone else looked over to where she was looking at.

“There’s a Big Bang Burger out here?” Ann wondered.

“Well, it’s pretty big in Japan,” Ryuji said. “They probably wanted to branch out.”

“Oh yeah,” Makoto said. “I recently read an article about the success of Okumura Foods.”

“Ah, the parent company of Big Bang Burger,” Yusuke said.

“Hm,” Lena said, impressed. “They seem to be doing well for themselves.”

“Okumura…” Ryuji said. “Isn’t that the guy on top of the rankings of the Phansite?”

“Ah, you know your stuff Sakamoto,” Mishima said.

“Really?” Shiho said.

“Yeah,” Mishima said. “Apparently, they’re involved in some shady stuff.”

“How shady?” Makoto asked.

“Well, I’m not sure,” Mishima said. “From what I can tell, they do a good amount of unsavory things, but then again so do a lot of companies. Okumura foods might just be one that the people are dogpiling on at the moment.”

“Hmmm,” Makoto wondered.

“Something on your mind?” Ren asked.

“Well, I’ve heard some rumors,” Makoto said.

“Like what?” Ren asked.

“Well, almost all of Okumura Foods’ overseas competition pulled out suddenly,” Makoto said.

“Do you think that they did something to make that happen?” Shiho asked.

“Well…like Mishima, I’m not sure,” Makoto answered. “I could just be overthinking things.”

“Well, it sounds like we shouldn’t eat here then,” Lena said. Their stomachs collectively grumbled. “Well… Maybe just this once…”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “I mean, if we do end up changing this guy’s heart, it’ll be fine, right?”

“I hate to admit it, but…” Makoto said. Their stomachs growled again. “Let’s just go eat.” They went into the restaurant.

As they were eating, Ryuji asked “Do you wanna continue shopping after this?”

“We have a lot of things with us as is,” Ann said. “Maybe we should drop some of this stuff off in our rooms after this.”

“We’ve also been walking around all day,” Lena moaned. “I kind of want to relax.”

“That’s fair,” Ryuji said.

“I want to hit up the beach again,” Shiho said.

“Me too,” Mishima said.

“I’d also like to go,” Yusuke said. “I want to see the marine life for myself.”

“You did seem to really like those lobsters,” Makoto said. “Where are they now anyway?”

“They’re back at Kosei,” Yusuke said. “The school agreed to let them live in a tank in the common area of the dorms.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Ryuji said.

“It’s fascinating, really,” Yusuke said. “Since I’ve been taking care of them, I’ve talked with more students than I ever had before.”

Ren smiled. “Well that’s nice to hear.”

Makoto nodded. “Well, we didn’t get everything, but we did get a good amount of stuff.”

“Eh, I’m sure we can find something before we go,” Ryuji said.

“What makes you say that?” Mishima asked.

“Eh. Just a feeling, really,” Ryuji answered.

“I see…” Mishima responded. They finished eating and dropped their stuff off in their hotel rooms.

They met up by the beach soon after. “Is everybody ready?” Makoto asked.

“Oh, hang on,” Ryuji said. “I need to get some more sunscreen. I ran out. Yusuke, Mishima, wanna come with me?”

Yusuke and Mishima looked at each other, slightly confused. “Uh, sure,” Mishima said.

“Lead the way,” Yusuke said. The three boys left.

Ren smirked. “Do you want to start without them?”

“I think we should wait,” Makoto said.

“But what should we do in the meantime?” Ann asked.

The girls began thinking it over. “Oh hey!” Shiho said. “I’ve been hearing people mentioning thieves from time to time. Do you think they’re talking about you guys?”

“Oh yeah, I’ve been hearing stuff like that too,” Lena said. “Maybe we should ask around quick.”

“Ooo, sounds like fun,” Ann said.

“Well, I guess it could be interesting,” Makoto said. The girls went around the area to ask about what the people here know about the Phantom Thieves. Some of them were unsure, but some of them were aware of the Phantom Thieves and their crusade for justice.

Ann giggled. “That was more than I thought.”

“I’ll say,” Shiho said. “Who knew you guys were so well-known?”

“I know we talked about it at the hotel,” Makoto said, “but hearing it is a whole other thing entirely.”

“I know!” Lena responded. “Just hearing someone mention the Phantom Thieves outside of Japan makes my head spin.”

Ren nodded. “They all seem to be fans too. When we get back, we shouldn't let them down.” Their eyes landed on a girl around their age reading a book. Ren recognized her as the girl from the gardening club she kept bumping into. “Hey Makoto. Do you know who that is?” Ren asked.

Makoto looked at her intently. “I think she’s another third year student. But I don’t know too much about her.”

“I see,” Ren said. She walked up to her. “Hi there.”

Haru looked up from her book. “Oh, hi. So you’re a second year, I see.”

Ren nodded. “That’s right.”

Haru looked at everyone else in the group. “Oh. Hi Niijima-san.”

“Hello,” Makoto replied.

“I take it you’re watching them,” Haru said.

“That’s right,” Makoto said. “Um, forgive me, but what is your name?”

“Oh, no need for apologies,” Haru said. “My name is Haru.”

The girls seemed confused. “Haru…?” Makoto asked.

“It’s no use boss,” Hiroki said. The girls turned to look at him. He approached the group. “Haru’s even more tightlipped than I am when it comes to last names.”

“I see…” Makoto said.

“Hiroki-kun!” Haru shrieked.

“Eh heh, sorry,” Hiroki apologized. “That may have been a little blunt.”

“So, you’re friends with her then, Hiroki?” Makoto asked.

Hiroki nodded. “That’s right. I keep her company from time to time when she’s gardening.”

“Hiroki really is a kind soul,” Haru said. “Very diligent too.”

“Eh heh, you’re making me blush,” Hiroki said.

“I see,” Makoto said. “So, how are you two enjoying the trip?”

“I find it very relaxing,” Haru said. “I have a lot on my mind at the moment, so this is a nice reprieve.”

“I’m having a good time too,” Hiroki said.

“Well that’s good to hear,” Makoto said.

“OK! We’re back!” Ryuji called out. He, Yusuke, and Mishima approached the group. “Um, what’s going on?”

Haru giggled. She stood up. “Well, we should get going. Make sure not to stay out too late.”

Makoto chuckled. “You don’t have to worry about that.”

“Yeah, Makoto’sreally good at keeping us on track,” Ren said.

“Well, I wouldn’t expect anything less,” Hiroki said. “Well, see you later!”

“Take care!” Haru said. The two of them left.

The group watched them go off. Ann turned to Ryuji. “So, did you get your sunscreen?”

“Huh?” Ryuji said. “Oh yeah. We’re good to go!”

“Then let’s GO!” Shiho cheered. The group headed for the beach to have some fun and relax.

Meanwhile, Miss Kawakami was in her room looking at herself in the mirror. She was making various poses. “Hm hm, still got it!” She made a few more poses before her mood soured. “Oh, what am I doing? This is silly. I’m a teacher for goodness sake.”

“I don’t think it’s silly at all,” Maruki’s voice said. Kawakami was alarmed. She turned around to see Dr. Maruki sitting in the chair in her room. “It’s good to feel positive about your body.”

“DR. MARUKI?!” Kawakami shouted. “Wh-What are you doing here?”

“I’m just helping you out,” Maruki said. “Is that a problem?”

Kawakami was confused. “No… I mean… Wha?”

Maruki chuckled. “You look simply stunning.” He stood up. “Now, I was wondering if you could judge me for a minute.” He started taking off his clothes. “I’ve been a little busy, so I haven’t had as much time to work out. I might not be at my best, but I want a second opinion.”

Maruki kept undressing. When he took off his shirt completely, he was jacked. He had rock-hard abs, and bulging biceps. He took off his pants and revealed he was wearing a speedo underneath, as well as thighs thick enough to withstand the weight of the world, and more defined than a word in a dictionary.

Kawakami was beet red. “So Miss Kawakami, what do you think?” She was speechless. Maruki was confused. “Huh? Ah. Perhaps you’d have a better understanding if you felt it.” He walked over to her. He put one hand on her back, one hand on her waist, and pulled her in.

There was a knock at the door. “Miss Kawakami?” Haru asked.

Miss Kawakami was shocked. She looked at the door, and then to where Maruki was, only to see Maruki had vanished. She rubbed her eyes just to confirm. He still wasn’t there. Or rather, he was never really there to begin with. She turned to the door. “Come in!”

Haru walked in. “Is now a bad time?”

“No, it’s fine,” Kawakami said. “What do you want?”

“I just want to go over the post-beach plans,” Haru said.

“Absolutely,” Kawakami said. They proceeded to go over said plans.

Meanwhile in Japan, Futaba was looking over the information Makoto had gathered from Sae’s computer. “Ooooo. What’s this?”

Morgana was in the room with her. “Found something?”

“Maybe,” Futaba answered. “I may need to look some more.”

“You want some help?” Morgana asked.

“Nah, I’m good,” Futaba said. “But thanks for asking, kitty.”

Morgana pouted. “I am not a cat.”

“I guess that’s true,” Futaba said. “So, what would you like to be called?”

“Morgana.”

“Well, I mean, yeah,” Futaba said. “But aside from that, you know?”

“My codename is ‘Mona’,” he continued.

“I mean more informally,” Futaba said. “Like how I sometimes call Yusuke ‘Inari’.”

“Do you do that out of love?” Morgana asked.

“I think so,” Futaba said. “I’m sure we’ll think of something that could work.” She went back to clicking away.

“Hmmmm,” Morgana said. “If you say so.”

There was a knock at Futaba’s door. “Who is it?” Futaba asked.

“It’s me! Jose!”

Futaba nodded. “Come in!”

Jose walked in. “Hi! How are you doing?”

“I’m making some progress on the data I got from Makoto,” Futaba said. “I may need some more time.”

“Oh,” Jose said. “Did I come at a bad time?”

“Quite the opposite,” Futaba said. “I’m getting in the zone, but that would leave Morgana lonely. So maybe you can keep him company.”

“Yay!” Jose said. He walked over to Morgana. “So, what do you want to do?”

“I dunno,” Morgana said. “I usually let Ren lead the way.”

“Hmmm,” Jose pondered. “Well, since we’re here, maybe we could watch a show Futaba has.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Morgana said. “Oh, but we need to go through what she has. Futaba gave Ren some recommendations, and we’ve been watching them, and I don’t want to watch anything we’ve been watching without her.”

“Aww, that’s sweet of you,” Jose said.

Futaba nodded. “Have a look around. My collection is over there.” She pointed them to a stack of DVDs and Blurays. “I have more stuff, including some things on VHS, but you’d need to ask.” The two went over to have a look.

“Hm?” Jose said as he perused Futaba’s collection.

“Found something?” Morgana said.

Jose pulled it out. “Yeah.”

Morgana looked at it. “Compumon?”

“Oh, I LOVE Compumon!” Futaba said.

“Yeah, some people at Kosei told me I should watch it,” Jose said.

“Huh,” Futaba said. “That’s a little odd. It’s kind of an old show.”

“Really?” Jose said.

“Why did they tell you to watch it?” Morgana asked.

“Well, I heard them talking about anime,” Jose explained. “And so I said ‘Excuse me. I want to get more into anime as well. Do you have any recommendations?’ And then one of them said ‘The kind of anime we’re talking about isn’t suitable for you.’ Then the other said, ‘Yeah, you should watch something like Compumon.’ And I said ‘OK. Thanks.” And I walked off.”

“Grrr. Those Jerks,” Futaba said.

“Yeah, I don’t think they meant that in a friendly way,” Morgana informed him.

“Really?” Jose said. “Well, joke’s on them, I guess. Because I’m going to watch it, and have a good time.”

“Well, that’s one way to go about things,” Futaba said. “You know, I could learn a thing or two from you.”

“Oh?” Jose said.

“Whenever people did that to me, I just didn’t watch it out of fear,” Futaba said. “At least, not for a while.”

“Futaba…” Morgana said.

“Well, I mean, I didn’t understand what they were doing until you explained it,” Jose said. “So maybe I still need to learn.”

“Well…that may be true…” Morgana said. “But I don’t think learning something like that would be all that helpful.”

“Well, if it happens again, I could try to figure out a way to counter it,” Jose said.

“If you figure it out, maybe you can tell me,” Futaba said.

“Hmmm,” Morgana pondered. “Well, I don’t know if this is a 100% solid defense, but I think having others to lean on helps.”

“That’s true,” Jose said.

“Huh,” Futaba said. “Well, maybe these things take time.”

Morgana nodded. “It’s not an overnight fix. But it helps a lot. Believe me.”

Futaba nodded. “Good to know.” She went back to going through the information.

“So, Compumon?” Jose said.

“Yeah!” Morgana said. Jose and Morgana set things up and began watching Compumon while Futaba continued looking through Sae’s data. Futaba enjoyed having the background noise, while Jose and Morgana were engrossed with the anime. From time to time, Jose would usually pet Morgana. Morgana didn’t put up a fuss, as he enjoyed it, although he wouldn’t admit it so easily.

Back in Hawaii, Ryuji was wandering around the halls of the hotel, and he was a little frustrated. He was grumbling to himself when he ran into Mishima.”Oh. Hey Sakamoto,” Mishima said. “Why are you out and about?”

“Oh. Hey Mishima,” Ryuji said. “Well, uh, my roommate is having someone over, so I decided to leave them be.”

“Huh,” Mishima said. “Well, as it so happens, my roommate is also off with someone. I guess we’re in the same boat.”

“He’s taking up your room too?” Ryuji said.

“Nah, he went off,” Mishima said. “But I got kind of lonely with me just by myself.”

“I see,” Ryuji said. “Well, I was going to see if I could hang out with Yusuke, but those Kosei teachers are strict. They wouldn't let me through like at all!”

“Huh,” Mishima said. “Well, wanna come to my room?”

“Uh, sure, I guess,” Ryuji answered.

“OR,” Hiroki interjected, “You could come to my room, and the three of us can hang out.”

“Wha?! Hiroki?!” Ryuji yelped. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, you are outside my door,” Hiroki explained.

“Oh,” Ryuji said. “Well, sure, I guess. It could be fun.”

Hiroki nodded. He turned to Mishima. “How about you, um, what’s your name again?”

“Oh, uh, sure,” Mishima said. “And it’s Mishima.”

“So, who are you rooming with?” Ryuji asked.

“No one,” Hiroki said. “We have an odd number of boys in our class. And since I’m on the student council, the teachers figured I’d be responsible enough on my own. Which to be fair, I am.”

“Oh,” Ryuji said. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Hiroki said. “But I am glad to have some company tonight. Come on in.” Hiroki held the door open. Ryuji and Mishima walked in. Hiroki walked in soon after. “I brought some games with me for just such an occasion. Wanna play?”

Ryuji smiled. “Sure. Sounds like fun!”

“Alright then,” Hiroki said. They started playing some games.

In the middle of a game, Mishima asked “So, Hiroki, was it?” Hiroki nodded. “What do you think of The Phantom Thieves?”

Ryuji was a little shocked. Hiroki smiled. “Personally, I’m a big fan.”

“Huh,” Mishima said.

“I mean, what’s not to love? They go around helping people,” Hiroki continued. “Plus, they give me courage.”

Ryuji was a little surprised. “That seems odd, coming from you. I mean, you’re on the student council, right?”

“Yeah, but I can be kind of a coward sometimes,” Hiroki said. “I want to help people, but…I sometimes fear what others might think if I were to do something.”

“Ah, who cares about what others think?” Ryuji said. “The Phantom Thieves do what they do because they believe it’s right, not because of what others think of them.”

“Hm. How astute,” Hiroki said. “Truth is, I want to get to a place like that, but it’s slow going.”

“Well…these kinds of things take time,” Mishima said. “But I’m sure you could talk to someone if you want help.”

“Yeah, like that girl we saw you with earlier,” Ryuji said. “By the way, how do you know her?”

“Oh, Haru?” Hiroki said. “Well, she’s in the gardening club. One day I noticed her gardening, and I began chatting with her.”

“Hey,” past Hiroki said. “You like gardening, huh.”

“Um, yes,” Haru responded. “Do you like gardening?”

“Well, theoretically, yes,” Hiroki answered. “But every time I try gardening, all my plants die before anything can happen.”

“How terrible!” Haru explained.

“Yeah…” Hiroki said.

“Well, if you’d like some pointers, I’ll gladly help,” Haru said.

Hiroki smiled. “I’d like that.” Haru smiled back. “So, what’s your name?”

“Oh. I’m Haru.”

Hiroki was confused. “Just a first name?”

“Well… If people knew my last name, they’d treat me differently,” Haru explained. “So, I’d rather limit how many people know it.”

“Gotcha,” Hiroki said. “You know, I’m kind of in the same boat.”

“Really?” Haru said, surprised. Hiroki nodded. “I didn’t know there were others like that at this school.”

“Me either,” Hiroki said. “Hiroki.”

Haru nodded. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Hiroki.”

“And that’s how we became friends,” Hiroki said, back in the present.

“Woah,” Ryuji said.

“So, did you earn your green thumb?” Mishima asked.

“Well, you see…” HIroki said. “It turns out I wasn’t doing anything particularly wrong. My asshole brother was just sabotaging my efforts.”

“He sounds like a jerk,” Ryuji said.

“You don’t know the half of it,” Hiroki said.

“It almost sounds like I don’t want to know,” Mishima said.

“Yeah, that sounds about right,” Hiroki said. He smiled. “But I’m having a good time with you guys.”

“Same,” Ryuji said.

“Ditto,” Mishima added. They continued playing games. A little while later, Mishima stood up. “Well, it’s getting kind of late. I should maybe head back to my room.”

Hiroki nodded. “Sounds good.” He turned to Ryuji. “What about you?”

Ryuji thought about it. He and his boyfriend probably don’t get many opportunities like this. I think I’ll give them some space. “Eh, I feel like I’ll just sleep here for the night.”

“You sure, Sakamoto?” Mishima asked.

“Yeah,” Ryuji said.

Mishima nodded. “Well then, take care.” He turned to Hiroki. “I had a lot of fun tonight.”

Hiroki smiled. “Likewise. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Mishima said. He left for his room.

Hiroki turned back to Ryuji. “So, do you want to go to bed now, or are you up for a few more games?”

“I think I could do a few more games,” Ryuji answered.

“Sounds like a plan,” Hiroki said. The two of them played together some more, and then went to sleep for the night.

Notes:

After some more thought, I'm either going to do the rest as how I normally do things and have each day be its own chapter, or I just make one big combined chapter. I'm thinking the latter, but no matter which way I do it, I have an issue. That is where do I put what happens to Kobayakawa? Without giving away too much on what I'm planning, it's going to be juxtaposed to what comes before and after it no matter what, so I just need to make a decision.

Moving on, I wasn't sure if I wold change the Hawaii trip as much as I'm doing, but when I got to this point, it makes sense to. This didn't occur to me all at once either, it was a domino effect. Which is generally how I write, but it does surprise me still.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 137: Silver Linings

Notes:

(WARNING!: This chapter contains death at the end. If you want to skip, stop before the paragraph that begins with “In Japan...”)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

In Japan, late into the night, the SIU director was on the phone. “Yes. We are monitoring the situation and preparing for all eventualities…Of course sir…It is a shame that we have to get rid of him, but he has not been serving your cause adequately…Don’t worry. We’ll still have the school…Yes…Now, as for our plan, things seem to be progressing swimmingly…I know things got a little too hot in the summer, but I assure you, things will go better here. I will see to it personally…Thank you sir.”

He hung up. “Hm. Those Phantom Thieves have been getting quite lucky. But soon they will see that they are messing with the wrong people. After all, only a handful of people can change the world.”

The next morning, Ren, Ann, Lena, and Shiho were gathered in the lobby. “It’s strange to think that tomorrow we’re going to be on a plane back home,” Ann said.

“I know what you mean,” Shiho said. “These kinds of things always feel like they last way too short.”

“Yeah,” Lena said. “Hawaii is quite nice. I’d like to come back someday.”

“Me too,” Ren said. “Preferably in an environment that lets us do more.”

“Yeah,” Ann said, dejected. “But I will admit, this has been a nice appetizer.”

“Also true,” Ren said.

“So, what should we do today?” Ann wondered.

Before anyone could answer, Ryuji approached the group. “Hey, um, Ann?” They all looked at him. Ryuji had a slight blush on his face. “Well, uh, seeing as this is our last full day in Hawaii, well, I was kind of thinking, maybe, you know, we could hang out…jus…just the two of us…you know?”

Ann was surprised. “Are…Are you asking me out on a date?”

“Well…uh…yeah…” Ryuji admitted, sheepishly.

Ann smiled, giggled, and said “Of course!”

“Great!” Ryuji said. “Um, so, do you wanna hit up the beach again?”

Ann nodded. “Sure.”

“Great!” Ryuji said. “So, um, let’s get changed, and I’ll meet you there?”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ann replied.

Ryuji nodded. “Right. See ya soon!”

“Hm hm. See ya!” Ann said. The two of them headed to their rooms to change.

“Well, that’s two down…” Ren noted.

“Well, three, actually,” Shiho said. Ren was surprised. “I…promised my volleyball friends that we’d play a little today. And I think I might drag Yuuki along, so four, technically.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, have fun.”

Shiho nodded. “Thanks.” Shiho walked off.

“Ummm, well…” Lena said, nervously. “I was kind of thinking I could go off by myself.” Ren seemed confused. “Well, um, I was kind of thinking of looking for a gift for Goro. He’s a little hard to shop for, so it might take a while. And, um, I kind of wanted to do it on my own.”

Ren nodded. “Good luck.”

Lena nodded back. “Thanks. See you around!” She rushed off to go shopping for Akechi.

“Hmmm,” Ren said. “Come to think of it, I still need to get Sumire something. Maybe I should do some shopping too.”

Makoto walked up to her. “Where’s everyone else?” she asked.

“Oh!” Ren said, surprised. “They went off to do their own thing.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“You know, I was just about to do some shopping,” Ren said. “You wanna come with?”

Makoto shook her head. “Thanks for the offer, but I think I should spend this time checking in on people.”

Ren smiled. “Always working hard, aren’t you?”

Makoto chuckled. “It’s kind of a part of me.”

“I didn’t mean to be rude,” Ren said. “I like how diligent you are.”

“Thanks,” Makoto said.

“Well, we should get going,” Ren said. “We don’t want to waste our time, now do we?”

“Of course,” Makoto said. The two of them split up, and went about their business.

Ryuji was waiting by the beach. Ann rushed over. “Hi!” she shouted. Once she arrived. “I’m ready.”

“Well, almost,” Ryuji said. Ann was confused. Ryuji held up a flower. “I thought…you could maybe put this in your hair.”

Ann was delightfully surprised. “Oh. Sure!” She took the flower out of Ryuji’s hand and attached it at the base of her right pigtail. She struck a pose. “So, what do you think?”

Ryuji’s face went red. “It’s…better than I could have imagined.”

Ann giggled. “Thanks. So, what’s the plan?”

“Well, uh…” Ryuji said. “I mean, we only can go so far, so I was thinking maybe we could just start with another walk along the beach.”

Ann giggled some more. “Well, it sounds wonderful anyway. Let’s go.” Ryuji nodded, and offered her his hand. Ann took it, and the two started walking side-by-side on the beach. As they were walking, Ann remarked “You know, the beaches here are really remarkable!”

“You can say that again,” Ryuji said. “But I still think you’re more remarkable.”

“Oh, stop!” Ann said, blushing and playfully shoving Ryuji.

“Eh heh,” Ryuji laughed. “I’m just being honest.”

Ann smiled. “Well, you’re pretty remarkable too, you know.”

“Eh heh. You think so?”

“Absolutely.” The two continued their walk on the beach.

Meanwhile, the former volleyball team members who came on the trip were taking turns playing volleyball. Shiho was taking a break, while Mishima hadn’t jumped in yet. He was just on the sidelines watching. Shiho took a seat next to him. “Hey Yuuki,” Shiho said. “What’s up?”

“Oh, uh, hey Shiho,” Mishima said nervously. He sighed. “I’m flattered, but, um, well, you know I’m not terribly good at volleyball. So I figured I’ll just watch.”

“Nonsense,” Shiho said. “You’re really good at volleyball. You’ve been doing it this whole time.”

“Well, yeah…” Mishima said. “But that was more to just stay friends with you.”

“Well, mission accomplished then,” Shiho said.

“But…now with the volleyball team out of commission…” Mishima continued, “...I’m not sure what’s going to happen.”

“Well, you know I’m working on trying to bring the team back together,” Shiho said.

“I know…” Mishima said. “But…you know I might not join back up. Then where does that leave us?”

Shiho smiled. “Well then, we’ll still be friends. I mean, we’ve been doing stuff outside of volleyball recently, right?”

Mishima felt a little conflicted. “I guess…but you might be too busy for me.”

“I’m never too busy for a friend,” Shiho said. Mishima sighed. He was still working through his inner demons about his own self worth, and didn’t quite know how to explain that to Shiho. “Hm?” Shiho interjected. “Well, if you want me to prove it, we can just go.”

Mishima was taken aback. “Wha?! Just like that?!”

“Just like that,” Shiho repeated.

“But…the others…” Mishima said.

“They’ll be fine,” Shiho said.

Mishima still wasn’t entirely sure of himself to drag Shiho away. So he shook his head and said “No. I’ll jump in for a game.”

Shiho was surprised. “Really?”

“Really,” Mishima repeated.

“Well, alright then,” Shiho said. “Hey!” she called out. “Mishima and I are tagging in after this game!” The others were slightly puzzled, but nodded.

The next game started, and Mishima was determined to try his hardest. Alright Mishima, you got this!

“Heads up!” Mishima looked up and saw the ball in the air. He successfully completed a volley.

Heh! Alright! He was psyched. The game went on and Mishima was doing pretty well. Alright! I think I’m getting back in the swing of this!

The next thing Mishima could remember was him waking up in the bed of his hotel room with Shiho, another member of the volleyball club, and his roommate standing over him. “Ugh. What happened?”

“Well, we were playing volleyball, Shiho explained. “And, well, Yukina here did a spike, and, well, it kind of hit you…”

Yukina, who was wearing an orange bikini, and had brown-orange hair with poofy, shoulder-length pigtails, was nervously fidgeting. “Sorry…”

“Eh heh, it’s fine,” Mishima said. “I’m kind of used to it.”

“Are you sure?” Mishima’s roommate asked.

“Yeah,” Mishima said. “Besides, it was an accident.” He sat up a little more, but felt a little strained. Shiho went to help him, but he deviled. “Hoo. I think I might be a bit more rusty, because the wind is out of my sails.”

“Maybe you should just rest for the rest of the day,” Shiho said.

“That sounds like a good idea,” Mishima said.

Shiho nodded. She turned to Yukina and told her “You can go back. I’ll stay here with Yuuki.”

“Got it,” Yukina said. “Sorry again!” She headed out.

“Wait, um, are you sure about this?” Mishima asked.

“Positive,” Shiho said.

“Well, uh, thanks,” Mishima said.

Mishima’s roommate smiled. “Well, I’ll leave you two alone then. I’d like to stay, but I made plans with someone, and I’m already late as it is.”

Mishima nodded. “Take care!”

“Yeah!” Shiho added. “And thanks for helping us get Yuuki in here.” Mishima’s roommate nodded and headed out. She turned back to Mishima. “Would you like anything?”

Mishima situated himself. “Maybe some water.”

“Hm hm,” Shiho giggled. “I’m on it.” She went to get him some water. She came back with a bottle, and gave it to him.

“Thanks,” Mishima said. He took a drink. “Ah!”

“Hm hm. You’re welcome,” Shiho said. They spent the rest of the evening relaxing like that.

Makoto was making her rounds, making sure students were not doing anything out of line. Things seemed to be going OK. She then found Yusuke with his sketchbook. She approached him. “Hey Yusuke. What’s up?”

“Oh, hey Makoto,” Yusuke said. “As you know, I took some rough sketches yesterday. I’d thought I’d spend today filling them out more.”

“I see,” Makoto said.

“How have you been doing?” Yusuke asked.

“Huh?” Makoto said.

“Well, this trip was a bit impromptu for you, wasn’t it?” Yusuke said. “On top of that, you had to steal data from your sister. And you’re still concerned about Eiko, correct?”

“Well…yeah…” Makoto said. “But I think I’m holding up alright.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Yusuke said.

Makoto glanced away nervously. “By the way, thanks again for helping me with Eiko as much as you have.”

“Don’t mention it,” Yusuke said.

Makoto looked forlorn into the sand. “I might need your assistance even further.”

“That’s fine,” Yusuke said.

“You’re not gonna get weird about this whole thing, are you?” Makoto asked.

“What do you mean?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, we’re pretending to date,” Makoto said. “As nice as it’s been, I don't want this to become real.”

“Oh,” Yusuke said. He chuckled. “I was worried you’d want this to become real.”

“What?!” Makoto said, surprised.

“Currently, I’m not at a place where I can think about dating someone,” Yusuke said. “Truth be told, I’m struggling a bit as an artist at the moment. I need to find myself before I can start looking for some else.”

“Right,” Makoto said. “I mean, I get it. I sometimes get in my own head too.” She peered at his sketch. “Your sketch looks really good though.”

Yusuke smiled. “Why thank you. And you’re doing a good job handling yourself.”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks.” There was a brief silence. “Well, I should leave you to it.”

“Wait!” Yusuke called out. Makoto paused. “If you don’t mind, I like having company when I sketch. Would you mind staying longer?”

“Well…” Makoto said. “I do have to keep an eye on everyone…”

“Oh,” Yusuke frowned.

Makoto noticed this. “But I can stay here a little bit longer.”

Yusuke smiled. “Thank you.” Makoto watched Yusuke sketch some more before heading off. Yusuke continued sketching for the rest of the day.

Lena was looking around some of the shops for a gift for Akechi. As Lena mentioned, he was a little hard to shop for, but she was determined. She was looking around the different shops, but nothing seemed quite right.

She entered a bookstore. She knew the books here would be in English, but she knew Akechi was pretty good at English. Besides, if he did have trouble, she’d be the first person he’d talk to about it.

She began looking through the store. They had a lot of books. Lena was somewhat distracted by some books she was interested in, but remained focused on getting a book for Akechi. “Think Lena, think. What kind of book would Goro like? Hmmmmmm.”

She thought about Akechi. She then remembered something. In one of Akechi’s old interviews, he was asked what he would do if he won 700 million yen. He said would like to travel the world. “Travel the world…” She looked for a History and Geography section, and soon found it. She ventured over and looked through the books.

Soon, she found a book on monuments throughout the world. She looked through it, and noticed the book went into a lot of detail, and covers practically every country. She smiled. “This would be perfect.” She started heading to the checkout. She passed by the manga section. “Well, as long as I’m here, I guess I can get something for myself too.” She picked out a few manga for herself, as well as some drawing books, and checked out.

Ren was looking through stuff at a different shop. Hmmmm. What would Sumire like? She kept looking. Ren then felt something. She turned around, but saw no one. She turned back and sighed. “I could have sworn someone was looking at me…”

Someone was looking at her. They were slowly approaching her. “Hellooooooo REN!” It was Sumire. She surprised Ren with a hug from behind.

Ren was thoroughly surprised by this. “Su-Sumire?!” Sumire giggled. Ren was a little flustered. All she could muster in the moment was “Aloha!”

Sumire let go, allowing Ren to turn and face her. “Hm hm. I guess that’s a more appropriate greeting. Aloha!”

Ren chuckled. “So, um, why are you here?”

“Oh, well, you see,” Sumire said, “it turns out that Coach’s special training was taking place in Hawaii. Funny how things work out, huh.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “Why didn’t you say anything? I mean, the school didn’t plan a whole lot for us. We could have met up and hung out.”

“Well, the school might not have a rigid schedule,” Sumire answered, “but the coach and her friend out here do.”

“Gotcha,” Ren replied.

“I’m out here on a break,” Sumire continued. “I was going to get myself some snacks. Imagine my surprise seeing you here.”

“I don’t have to imagine,” Ren said. “You surprised me too.”

“Hm hm. I guess that’s true,” Sumire said. “So, what are you doing here?”

“Oh, well,” Ren said, her face turning red, “this is embarrassing. I was looking for a souvenir to give to you.”

“Oh!” Sumire said, her face turning red as well. “Eh heh. I see. Well, not that I don’t appreciate it, but I already got myself something.”

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

Sumire took out a charm. “It’s a good luck charm. I bought it at a local branch of a Japanese shrine. I usually buy one of these for my meets. I decided to buy one here for extra good luck. So far, it seems to be working.”

Ren giggled. “So, do you know when your next meet is?”

“I think it’s sometime before midterms,” Sumire said. “Once I know the date for sure, I’ll tell you.”

“Thanks,” Ren said.

Sumire nodded. “Well, as much as I’ve enjoyed this, I should grab my snacks and get going.”

Ren nodded. “OK.” She followed Sumire around the store as she grabbed her snacks. Once Sumire was ready, they headed to the counter. Sumire set her snacks on the counter. She began reaching into her pocket before Ren said “I’ll take care of this.”

Sumire was surprised. “Are you sure?”

Ren smiled. “It’s the least I can do.

Sumire nodded. “Thanks.” Ren paid for Sumire’s food, and the two left the store. “Thanks again for buying all this.”

“Hm hm. No problem,” Ren said. She smiled and pulled Sumire in for a quick kiss. Once she let go, she said “Good luck with your training.”

Sumire smiled. “Thanks. You have fun on the rest of your trip.”

“I will,” Ren nodded. Sumire nodded back, and then headed back to where she was training. Ren decided to go back to the hotel to change into her swimsuit to enjoy the beach one last time for the trip.

Haru was doing her job as a chaperone as well. “Hey,” Hiroki said, interjecting. “Are you busy?”

Haru looked around. All the students in the vicinity were doing just fine. “Not really,” she answered. “What is it?”

“Well, seeing as we’re heading home tomorrow,” Hiroki said, “I was thinking we could talk about what to do about your father now. Is that alright?”

“Oh!” Haru said, surprised. “Well, about that. I was kind of thinking, maybe we could let the Phantom Thieves handle it.”

“Hm?” Hiroki responded.

“I mean, I don’t know why we didn’t think of it sooner,” Haru said. “But it seems like a good plan.”

“Oh. Yeah,” Hiroki said. “I was just thinking, you know, this could be something we do ourselves.”

“Hm hm. Well, I appreciate the offer,” Haru said, “but I think this may be the best option. But if you can think of something better, I’m all ears whenever you need.”

Hiroki smiled and nodded. “Well, he’s your dad. I think I should leave the final decision to you.”

“He he. Thank you,” Haru said. Hiroki blushed slightly, but hid it. “You know, this is our last night here. You should go enjoy yourself.”

“Well, I always enjoy myself when I’m with you,” Hiroki said.

“Hm hm. Why thank you,” Haru said. “But I think you should go have fun on your own. I’ve got to keep an eye on everyone.”

Hiroki bit his lip. “Well, if you’re alright with it… I'll see you tomorrow then, OK?”

“OK,” Haru said. Hiroki walked off. Haru went back to supervising.

Ren was back on the beach. She wasn’t sure what she was going to do, but she was going to enjoy herself. She then heard someone meekly say “Please stop…” She turned to see some guys were harassing Hifumi.

Ren rushed over, and took Hifumi’s hand. Hifumi was a little shocked. Hey,” Ren said. “The teacher wants to see you.”

Hifumi picked up on what Ren was doing. “Right.” The two guys were confused and Ren and Hifumi walked off. As soon as they were far enough away, Hifumi said “Thanks.”

“Heh heh. Don't mention it,” Ren said.

“But what are you doing here?” Hifumi asked.

“My school came here on a field trip,” Ren answered.

“I see,” Hifumi said. “I take it you’re aware my school came here due to a storm.”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“I see,” Hifumi said. “Well, I’m glad you were here. I don’t know how I would have dealt with those guys otherwise.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I guess there’s people like that no matter where you go. At least we have a good excuse.”

“Right,” Hifui said.

“So, how are you enjoying this improvised trip of yours?” Ren asked.

“Well, I was planning to relax on this trip,” Hifumi said. “And because there’s been no real plans, I’ve had more time to do so. So, I guess that storm was a blessing in disguise.”

Ren giggled. “I imagine that shogi has many instances where something that looks bad has a positive effect.”

“Hm. You seem to be learning a lot,” Hifumi said.

“Well, I have a really good teacher,” Ren replied.

“Why thank you,” Hifumi said.

“So, what do you want to do?” Ren asked.

“Well, I was about to grab some dinner,” Hifumi said. “There’s a shrimp stand not too far from here that I want to try.”

Ren nodded. “Sounds like a plan. Lead the way.” Hifumi nodded. She took Ren to the shrimp stand

Once Hifumi and Ren got to the counter, Hifumi began to order. “Excuse me? We’d like some shrimp.”

The owner looked them over. Ren and Hifumi we a little concerned. “You’re Japanese, aren’t ya?” the owner said.

“Um, yes?” Hifumi said.

“Eh heh. How ‘bout them Phantom Thieves?!” the owner said.

Rena and Hifumi were surprised. “You’ve heard of them?!” Hifumi asked.

“Of course!” the owner said. “Those guys stealing hearts in the name of justice. I love them!”

“Me too,” Hifumi smiled.

“Same,” Ren said.

“Eh heh. Well, if you see them, tell them I said ‘hi’,” the owner said. “And tell them to change everyone’s hearts so that they’ll like shrimp.”

“Oh! Uh, will do!” Hifumi said, slightly awkwardly.

“Thanks!” the owner said. “Wel, for now, I’m glad you two like shrimp. Order up!”

The owner came back with big helpings. “Oh! How much is it for extra?”

“The extra’s on me,” the owner said.

“Are you sure?” Hifumi asked.

“Yeah,” the owner said. “It’s fine.”

Hifumi bowed. “Well thank you.”

Ren followed suit. “Thank you.” The two girls took their shrimp and headed out to find a place to eat. They found themselves on a bench overlooking the sunset.

“They certainly gave us a lot,” Hifumi remarked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. She took a bite. Her face lit up. “But it’s delicious!”

“Really?” Hifumi said. She took a bite. Her face also lit up. “You weren’t kidding.” The two of them continued eating

Once they finished, Ren remarked “Ugh. I’m so full.”

“Tell me about it,” Hifumi said. “My mother would be upset I ate so much.”

“Well, when in Rome…” Ren said.

Hifumi giggled. “I guess that’s true.” She frowned slightly. “You know, my mother’s been putting me through so much recently. And I’ve enjoyed my time here so much, a part of me wonders if I should just not get on the plane tomorrow.”

Ren was shocked. “You’re running away?!”

Hifumi shook her head. “It’s impractical, for starters. But more importantly, I’d miss my father. I’d miss playing shogi professionally. I’d miss you.” Ren blushed slightly. Hifumi sighed. “I guess I need to grin and bear it for now.”

“You know, there is another option,” Ren said. Hifumi looked at her curiously. “We could tell the Phantom Thieves about your mother when we go tell them to get everyone to love shrimp.”

Hifumi chuckled. “Well, maybe. I’m not sure she’s at that point yet. But if she ever gets there, I’ll consider it.”

“Well, I’m sure they’ll take care of it for you in a flash,” Ren said.

Hifumi smiled. “You know, today turned out to be really good.”

Ren smiled as well. “Yeah.”

Hifumi looked over at Ren. “Thanks for hanging out with me today.”

“Hm hm. It’s my pleasure,” Ren replied.

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 5

After a little while, Hifumi said “Maybe we should get going.” They looked out at the sunset. “Then again, a sunset like this is not an everyday occurrence for us. Perhaps we should enjoy it while we’re here.”

Ren looked out at the sunset as well. “Yeah.”

Meanwhile, Ryuji had taken Ann to the Tiki bar they ate at on the first day. “Man, the food is good here!” Ann said.

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “I know we ate here already, but it’s really good. Besides, I have a surprise in store.”

“A surprise?” Ann wondered.

A waiter stopped over with a giant cake. “And here’s the Chocolate Volcano Cake, as requested by the gentleman.”

“Eh heh, thanks,” Ryuji said. The waiter nodded, then walked off. “Well, what do you think?”

Ann was mesmerized by the cake. “You got this for me?!” Ryuji nodded. “I love you!” She began to dig into the cake. “MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! So yummy! You should try some!”

“Well, I mean, I got it for you,” Ryuji said.

Ann was surprised. “Are you kiding?! There’s no way I could eat this much! I mean, I know I love cake, but this is too much, even for me.”

“Are you sure?” Ryuji asked.

“Positive,” Ann said.

“Well, it’s your cake,” Ryuji said, “so you make the rules.” Ryuji took a bite. “HOLY CRAP! This is amazing!” The two of them finished off the cake. The area around their mouths were covered in chocolate. Still, they went ahead and shared a kiss.

On their way back, Ryuji said “Oh, before I forget, I also got you something.” He began reaching through his pockets. Here!” He took out a little dolphin charm. “I know it’s not much, but I think it looks pretty. Like you.”

Ann blushed. She took the charm. “You should have.” Ryuji chuckled. “How did you even plan all this?”

“Well, uh,” Ryuji began, “remember when I said I forgot my sunscreen? That was a lie. I wanted to go over some ideas with Yusuke and Mishima.”

Ann smiled. “Well, that’s sweet of you.” She grabbed his wrist. “C’mere.” She leaned in for a kiss. This one lasted longer than the one at the restaurant. Once they finished, she said “You’re beyond words.” Ryuji chuckled again. They continued on their way to their hotel.

A little while later, Ann and Ren were getting ready for bed. “I don’t know about you, but I think today was excellent.”

“I think so too,” Ren said. “How was your date?”

“It was really sweet,” Ann said. “What did you do today?”

“Well, funny story,” Ren said. “It turns out Sumire’s practice location was here.”

Ann sprang up. “No WAY!” Ren nodded. “What happened?”

“Well, she surprised me with a hug when she came into the store I was at,” Ren said. “We didn’t have that much time, since she needed to get back to practice. But I bought her snacks, and we shared a kiss.”

“Well, it sounds sweet nonetheless,” Ann said.

“Yeah,” Ren agreed.

Ann yawned. “Well, we should get to bed. We have to get on a plane tomorrow.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. The two of them got into bed and fell asleep.

The next day, Ren, Ann, Ryuji, Lena, Makoto, Mishima, and Shiho were gathered among the Shujin students. “Is everybody ready?!” Makoto asked the crowd of students. They nodded. “Do you have everything?!” They nodded again. “Well, if you don’t, take this time now to go and find it! Once we leave, we’ll be gone for good! So just to be safe, double check!” The crowd searched through their luggage to make sure they had all of their belongings.

“I think we’re all set,” Ren said

“Well, glad to hear it,” Makoto said, joining the group.

“Where’s Yusuke?” Ryuji asked.

“He’s with his school,” Ann reminded him.

“Oh. Right,” Ryuji said.

Lena chuckled. “Well, I had fun.”

“Me too,” Shiho said.

“I can mostly agree,” Mishima said. “Ugh, I can’t wait ‘till we get on the plane.”

“What happened, Mishima?” Ann asked.

“I got knocked down playing volleyball,” Mishima said.

“He was doing so well too,” Shiho said.

“Yikes!” Ryuji said. “Well, I hope you feel better soon.”

“I’m doing better than last night,” Mishima said.

“Well that’s good,” Lena said.

Ren peered over. “It looks like we’re about to head out.”

Makoto looked over to see that that was the case. “Well then, if you’ll excuse me…” She left to help organize their trek back to the airport.

At the airport, they were waiting to board when Haru approached Ren. “Um, excuse me?” Ren met her gaze. “I don’t wish to be rude, but you’re the girl who spoke with Akechi-kun on TV, right?”

“Um, yeah?” Ren said, kind of confused

“Forgive me,” Haru said. “I’m sure you’re tired of people asking about that.”

“Eh heh, well, I’m kind of used to it by now, actually,” Ren replied.

Haru smiled and nodded. “If you don’t mind, I have a question.”

“Shoot.”

Haru partially frowned. “If I were to request a change of heart in someone, do you think they would do it?”

Ren was a little surprised. “Well, um, I can’t be 100% sure.”

“Oh…”

“But, I like to think they would,” Ren said.

Hope returned to Haru. “Really?”

Ren nodded. “I mean, if it’s not for any malicious reason, I think they’d at least look into it.”

Haru smiled. “Thank you. That’s all I needed to hear.” She went back to helping corral the other students. However, the Metaverse app appeared on her phone, unbeknownst to her.

Ren smiled, knowing that she helped someone. Soon, everyone was on their planes heading back to Japan.

In Japan, however, things were heating up. Principal Kobayakawa was just outside of a police station. He was nervous, but he was prepared. He was waiting for the light to turn green.

Meanwhile, an office inside the police station was drinking some coffee. Suddenly, he dropped his coffee. His eyes rolled up into his head. He creepily turned toward the front door.

The light turned green. Principal Kobayakawa started walking. However, the seemingly-possessed police officer walked out as well. The officers standing in front of the building were confused, while Principal Kobayakawa knew exactly what was happening.

He tried running away, but the strange officer took out his gun and shot Kobayakawa in both of his legs. The other officers tried stopping him, but he pushed them off with no remorse.

He continued to approach Kobayakawa, who was trying to crawl away. The light turned red. As the officer went to finish the job, a truck came speeding through, running Kobayakawa over. The officer, seeing his target was dead, took his gun, and shot himself in the mouth, killing him as well. The two bodies lay in the street, as everyone around them panicked about what just happened.

Notes:

So, yeah, I decided to make this the last Hawaii chapter instead of splitting things up. I'm doing this by rearranging a few things, which was an impromptu decision, but one that I think makes sense.

With how things have been arranged, I think there's enough distance from the really sweet stuff and the death scene. I decided to end it there because again, no matter where I put it, it would seem a little out of place tonally. Which means I'll give you a little hint about next chapter. I have a lot planed for that as well, and parts of it will be removed from the death of the principal, but not everything.

The reason I called out this death scene is because it feels a little more grusome than previous death scenes. Something about it made me feel really uncomfortable. Well, I mean, it's never easy, but this one hit me different.

Anyways, enjoy the parts that were meant to be enjoyed.

Chapter 138: Hanging by a Moment

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren arrived back at Leblanc Monday night. She was greeted by Sojiro, Morgana, and Futaba. “Ah, you’re back,” Sojiro said.

“Welcome home, Morgana said.

“I missed you,” Futaba said.

Ren smirked. “Aloha!” she said.

“Oh no!” Futaba said. “She’s been Hawaiianized!”

Sojiro chuckled “So, do you want a cup of coffee? Or some curry?” Before Ren could answer, she let out a really massive yawn. “Hm. I see.”

“You know I’d be up for it,” Ren said. “But this jet lag has me in the palm of its hands.”

“Don’t worry, I get it,” Sojiro said. “You should get to bed.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Sojiro.”

“By the way,” Futaba said, “I have the data.” Ren nodded and yawned. “Buuuut I think it’s better to go over it with everyone.”

“That should be Wednesday,” Morgana said. “Since Sumire said she was getting home tomorrow.”

“Right,” Futaba said. Ren stumbled a little. “I…think that message can wait.”

“Heh,” Sojiro chuckled. “C’mon. Let’s get you upstairs.” He and Futaba helped Ren up to her room.

A few minutes later, Ren flopped onto her bed. “Oh yeah!” Ren realized. “I’m good!”

Morgana got down from the windowsill. “So, how was your trip?” Morgana asked.

Ren shrugged. “Pretty good, I guess.”

Morgana pouted. “Did…did you miss me?”

“Of course!” Ren said. “I was telling Ann how it was a little weird you weren’t in my bed with me?”

“Ann?” Morgana said.

“Oh yeah,” Ren said. “I was rooming with her.”

“I see…” Morgana said.

“You sure you’re good?” Ren asked.

“I mean, it’s not easy,” Morgana admitted. “But I can’t force her to do anything.”

“Hm hm. Spoken like a true gentleman,” Ren giggled.

Morgana smiled. Ren yawned. Morgana chuckled. “I should let you get some sleep. Goodnight!”

“Goodnight,” Ren said. She fell asleep instantly.

Haru returned to her home. Her father was there as she entered the door. This was a surprise, as normally he was too busy to greet her personally “Haru dear,” he greeted.

Haru wondered if this was a stroke of luck. Maybe her father was returning to the man he once was. “Hello,” she greeted back.

“I have excellent news,” Haru’s dad continued.

“Oh? Do you now?” Haru said, getting her hopes up.

“Your fiance and I have finally set up a date where you can move in with him,” Haru’s dad said.

“Oh…” Haru said, getting disappointed again.

Haru’s dad smiled sympathetically. “I know sweetheart.” He pulled Haru in for a hug. “I’ll miss you too.” Haru was a little confused. Her dad broke the hug, but grasped her shoulders. “But things are growing more dangerous by the day. The sooner we can get you at his place, the safer you’ll be.”

Assuming I’ll be safe with him… Haru looked at her father. “Um, does this have anything to do with the Phantom Thieves?”

Haru’s dad let go of her completely. “Well, that’s part of it. And the fact that my name keeps coming up on that accursed website doesn’t help. But there’s also the ongoing mental shutdown epidemic.”

“Oh? I thought those have been dying down recently,” Haru said.

“Well, one happened while you were on your trip,” Haru’s dad explained. “And given what happened, I’d feel better knowing you're safe.”

“What happened?” Haru asked.

“Well, there’s no easy way to say this,” Haru’s dad said. “Your principal has been murdered.” Haru gasped.

At the Niijima household, Makoto arrived home. “I’m home!” she said, walking in. She walked in further to see her sister frazzled. “Oh? Did I catch you at a bad time?”

“Huh?” Sae said, looking up at her sister. “Oh. Sorry… How was your trip?”

“It went well,” Makoto said. “Um, are you sure you’re OK?”

Sae sighed. “Well, I suppose you’ll find out sooner or later. Principal Kobayakawa was murdered.”

“WHAT?!” Makoto shrieked.

Sae nodded. “It appears that the perpetrator was experiencing a mental shutdown. So I’m on the case.”

“Are…are you sure you’ll be alright?” Makoto asked. “I mean, you have a lot going on already?”

“I know!” Sae snapped. Makoto flinched. Sae pouted. “I’m sorry. I’m basically running on empty. But you shouldn’t worry about a thing. I’ll solve this case once and for all.”

Makoto smiled, nervously. “Right…”

Sae checked the time. “You should get to bed,” she instructed. “I imagine you’re quite tired from your trip.”

“Oh…yes…” Makoto said. She bowed. “Good night.” She headed into her room.

Once she was settled into bed, she was a little upset about what Sae said. “I’ll solve this case once and for all.”

“...Dad used to say that,” she said. “He even said it the night of…” She sighed. “Just be careful sis…” She slowly drifted off into sleep.

On their way to school the next day Ren messaged the group.

Ren: Futaba told me that she has the data.

Futaba: It’s true.

Ren: Sumire’s getting in tonight, so we should probably meet up tomorrow to go over things.

Ann: Sounds like a plan!

Makoto: Oh right. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but Principal Kobayakawa was murdered.

Ryuji: For REAL?!

Yusuke: He was the guy we met in Mementos wearing the diving suit, correct.

Futaba: Yeah, and he had that weird signature.

Makoto: We might need to discuss that as well.

Makoto: He said he was helping the person who is abusing the metaverse.

Lena: Do you think that’s why he was killed?

Makoto: I’d say that’s a reasonable guess.

Jose: Is there anything we’ll find?

Jose: I mean, if Futaba has information, I’m sure we could figure out why he was killed following what we have

Ren: Well, that’s true.

Ren: But I feel like we should get a grasp on the situation as best we can.

Futaba: Yeah, since he was killed by this conspiracy, we should try to make sure we don’t end up like that.

Jose: Gotcha.

Ryuji: Not gonna lie, that was kind of spooky.

Yusuke: I don’t think being on the business end of people who murder others would be sunshine and roses.

Futaba: Yeah, tell ‘em Inari!

Ryuji: Well… So long as we’re working together, I don’t think we can lose.

Ann: Let’s hope you’re right.

Ren: I think we should work to prove him right.

Ann: To-may-to, to-mah-to.

Ryuji: Huh?

Lena: It’s an English thing.

Lena: It essentially means “same difference.”

Ryuji: Ah.

Ren: So, meeting tomorrow then?

Makoto: I think so.

Jose: I agree.

Ren: Great!

Ren: Meet at the usual place.

Ren put her phone away, and headed to school.

There was an assembly called as soon as school started, no doubt about the recent death of the principal. The vice principal took to the stage. “Thank you all for coming.”

“It’s not like we had much of a choice,” a student snarked.

The vice principal continued. “I regret to inform you that Principal Kobayakawa has died.” There was some chatter amongst the students. “I’ve been asked not to say too much, since the investigation is still ongoing, but it appears that his death was just the latest in the string of mental shutdown cases.” There was some more chatter.

“Ahem,” the vice principal said, taking command. “I know that times are currently rough. Criminals waging wars. Senseless bloodshed. The political class in disarray. But know this: Principal Kobayakawa believed in each and every one of you. He wished great things for all of you.”

“What a bunch of bull,” a student murmured.

“He only cared about himself,” another said.

“He covered up the Kamoshida thing for so long,” Another one added. “Why should I believe this tripe?”

“So, in honor of Principal Kobayakawa,” the vice principal went on, “strive to do your best. It is what he would have wanted. Carry on his legacy, as well as the school’s, in your hearts. I understand that it may be difficult for you at this time. That is why we would like to assure you that the school is on your side. As always, Dr. Maruki’s office is open whenever you need it. Also, the faculty and I have decided that after this assembly, you are free to leave the school.”

This shocked the crowd. “We need to hold a meeting on what we should do going forward. Of course, we might not have all the answers, but it is a place to start. Classes will resume tomorrow. Now go, and honor Principal Kobayakawa’s memory. You are dismissed”

The students were in a bit of a confusion. On one hand, their principal just died. On the other hand, he wasn’t the best principal. But no matter how shitty he was, he didn’t deserve to die. At least, not like this.

Ren met up with Ann, Ryuji, and Lena. “So, what’s the plan?” Ryuji asked.

“I still think we should wait for the full group meeting,” Ren said.

“Makes sense,” Ann said.

“It’s just kind of weird, you know?” Lena said. “I mean, he said he was going to change, and then he got killed.”

“That’s probably why he was killed,” Ann said.

“Ugh,” Ryuji groaned. “As much of a jerk as Kobayakawa was, I wanna just punch out whoever killed him.”

“I know,” Morgana said, popping out of the bag. “But just be patient. Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

“Ugh. I know,” Ryuji said

Ann took his hand. “Well, we have the day off suddenly. You wanna go hang out?”

“Uh… Sure!” Ryuji said. The two of them left. “Bye!”

“Seeya!”

“Take care!” Lena said, as she, Ren, and Morgana waved. Lena giggled. “I kind of want to get going too. I want to work on finding a way to get Akechi the gift I got for him in Hawaii.”

Ren nodded. “Good luck.”

Lena nodded back. “Thanks. She left. Ren figured with nothing else to do, she should leave as well.

Meanwhile, Makoto found Mishima. “Ah good. I caught you before you left.”

“Is something the matter?” Mishima asked.

“Well…” Makoto replied. “Not with you specifically, no.”

“Then what’s up?” Mishima inquired further.

Makoto looked around. “I need you to do something for the Phantom Thieves.”

Mishima was stunned. “The Phantom Thieves, you say?”

Makoto nodded. “I can trust you, right?” Mishima nodded confidently. “Great. She took out the photos they had gotten from Kobayakawa’s shadow and handed them to him.

Mishima was again shocked. “Wha?! What are these?!”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” Makoto informed him. “These belonged to Principal Kobayakawa, and we’d like to know why. However, we are looking into something bigger, and all of our attention needs to be on that.”

“So you want me to figure out the mystery of this,” Mishima surmised.

“Do you think you could handle it?” Makoto asked.

“Of course,” Mishima said. “But, um, couldn’t you get one of your fellow student council members to do it instead?”

Makoto shook her head. “They’re also going to be busy, especially now. You’re the only person I can trust to do this.”

“Well, if you say so,” Mishima said. “I promise I won’t let you down.” He took the photos and went off. Makoto sighed a sigh of relief, and left as well.

Haru was busy tending to some plants. “Hey there,” Hiroki said.

Haru turned to him and giggled slightly. “Hello Hiroki.”

“So, how are you holding up?” Hiroki asked.

“Well…” Haru answered, “I think I’m alright. I do feel slightly bad saying that after Principal Kobayakawa was murdered.”

“Eh, don’t worry,” Hiroki said. “It’s just you, me and the plants here.”

“Well… I will admit that Principal Kobayakawa had a, shall we say, lack of understanding when it came to his students,” Haru said. “But I don’t think he should have been put to death for it.”

“Well, if that isn’t the truest statement…” Hiroki responded.

“But…” Haru continued. “Something else is getting me down.”

“Oh?” Hiroki said. “What is it?”

Haru was hesitant to answer. “...My father decided on the date that I will move into my fiance’s home.”

Hiroki was stunned. “...I see…”

“It won’t be for a little while yet,” Haru said, “but having a date in place is still a little harrowing.”

“Yeah…” Hiroki said. “Are you sure there’s nothing I can do?”

“Well…maybe if the Phantom Thieves don’t do anything, I might think about some of your suggestions,” Haru admitted.

“Well, I guess that’s a plan,” Hiroki said.

“I know you wish to help more, but…” Haru responded, “I don’t want to be too hasty.”

“Nah, I get it,” Hiroki said. “Like I said, your father, your call.”

Haru giggled. “I’m glad you understand.”

Hiroki smiled. “Do you want some company while you finish tending the gardens.”

“Sure!” Haru replied. “You know, I was a little worried things might not be taken care of properly in my absence, but it seems like everyone else did a good job.”

“The gardening club is stretched a little thin, huh,” Hiroki said.

“Unfortunately…” Haru said. “But things seem to be going OK.”

“Glad to hear it,” Hiroki replied. They continued to hang out while Haru worked on the gardens.

Meanwhile, Ren had arrived outside the TV studio Sumire’s dad worked at. She looked at it, and slightly panicked. She was pacing back and forth about what to do. She then heard “Amamiya-chan?”

She turned. “Akechi?”

Akechi walked over. He checked the time. “Shouldn’t you be at school?”

“Oh, um, well,” Ren began to explain, “I don’t know if you know this, but our principal was just murdered…”

“Oh!” Akechi said, stunned. “Of course. Sorry. I was aware, but seeing you here just kind of threw me off.”

“Heh heh, it’s fine,” Ren said.

“So, they just canceled school for the day?” Akechi asked.

“After an assembly, yeah,” Ren explained.

“I see…” Akechi said. “So, what brings you here then?”

Ren got a little embarrassed. “Well… Eh heh. Sumire has been away on a trip. She’s coming home tonight. So I kind of wanted to surprise her. But I don’t know when she gets in. Or where. And I was thinking I could talk to her parents, but they’re both at work, so I can’t go to their house. So I thought maybe I’d maybe try to talk to them at work. But then I came here and realized that might not be such a good idea. Sooooooooo….”

Akechi chuckled. “I see.” He looked up at the building. “Tell you what: I am supposed to go in there to talk about an upcoming TV appearance. Why don’t I bring you along with me?”

Ren was surprised. “Oh…I couldn’t ask you to do that…”

“I insist,” Akechi replied.

“Well…since you’re insisting…” Ren said. She followed Akechi into the building.

Akechi guided her through the building, right to Shinichi’s office. He knocked on the door. Shinichi opened it. “Ah, Akechi. Welcome.” He noticed Ren. “Oh. I…see you have a guest?”

“Should I not be here?” Ren wondered.

“I brought her up here with me,” Akechi said. “I hope you don’t mind.”

“Well, it is a little unusual,” Shinichi pointed out. “But it should be fine. So, what brings you here?”

“I came here to discuss my upcoming appearance,” Akechi explained.

“Ah yes,” Shinichi said. “One of our guests canceled on us for personal reasons, so we were wondering if you could come in tomorrow instead of the day after.”

“And who would you have filling in the day after?” Ren asked.

“Well, originally, I was supposed to share a slot,” Akechi said. “So now we’re each getting our own show.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“By chance, are you inviting Amamiya-chan on?” Shinichi asked.

Ren froze solid. “Well, as amusing as that would be, no,” Akechi answered. Ren relaxed slightly.

Shinichi nodded. He turned to Ren. “So, what brings you here then?”

Ren got a little nervous. “Well, uh, I mean, I know, um, Sumire gets home today, so, uh, I was sort of thinking, well, maybe I could do something to surprise her, but I’m not sure what that would be, or if you had plans, but, um, well…”

Shinichi chuckled. “I see.”

“I’m sorry…” Ren said.

“It’s fine,” Shinichi replied. “I can’t say that I don’t understand. But just so Akechi doesn’t have to trouble himself again, maybe I should give you my number.”

“Why, it’s no trouble at all,” Akechi mentioned offhand.

Ren and Shinichi exchanged numbers. “Thanks,” Ren said.

“My pleasure,” Shinichi said. “As for plans, I’ll message you a time and place to meet us at.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you.”

“Well, if this is everything taken care of, I think we should get out of your hair,” Akechi said.

Shinichi nodded. “Thanks for changing plans on such short notice.”

“No problem,” Akechi said.

Shinichi turned to Ren. “See you tonight.”

“See ya,” Ren said. Akechi and Ren left the building.

Once outside, Ren sighed, relieved. “Are you feeling alright?” Akechi asked.

“Yeah…” Ren said. “I was just a little nervous. It feels weird just walking through a business for personal reasons.”

“Hmmm, can’t say I’ve ever done that,” Akechi replied. “Most of my visits to places are business related.”

“Lucky…” Ren remarked sarcastically. Akechi chuckled. “Oh, by the way, if you’re free tonight, I know someone who is looking for you.”

“Who?” Akechi asked. Ren gave him a look. “Oh. Ha ha. Sorry. I guess I’m not used to people knowing. I’ll just give them a text.” He got out his phone and sent a message. “And sent.” Ren got a message immediately after. “I swore I texted Lena.”

Ren got out her phone. “It’s from Mr. Yoshizawa. He just sent me the meeting time and place.”

“Oh. I see,” Akechi said, marveling at the coincidence. “Well, I should get going. I have to explain to my school about the changed time.”

“Are they OK with your jet-setting lifestyle?” Ren asked.

“Oh, they love it,” Akechi said. “They can claim ‘We’re the school for Japan’s Second Detective Prince.’ It also doesn’t hurt that my grades are good.”

I see,” Ren said.

“Well, see you around, I suppose,” Akechi said.

“Seeya,” Ren replied. “Oh, and thanks again.”

“No problem,” Akechi responded. The two of them went their separate ways.

A little while later, Lena was waiting by a cafe in Kichijoji. She had Akechi’s gift in a bag in her hands. She was looking around. “Hi,” Akechi said,showing up behind her.

“Gah!” Lena gasped.

Akechi chuckled. “Did I startle you?”

“A little…” Lena admitted.

“I apologize,” Akechi said.

Lena relaxed a little. “Thanks for coming.”

“Of course,” Akechi said. “I’m glad we can do this kind of stuff more openly now.” Lena giggled. “Let’s go in.”

“Yes,” Lena said. The two went inside and got a table.

They soon got some drinks and started sipping them. “I feel like I have to get this out of the way. I’m sorry about what happened to your principal.”

“Oh, Lena said, surprised. “Thanks…”

“I know that’s not what you wished to meet up about…” Akechi said.

“It’s fine,” Lena said. “I actually wanted to hear something like that.”

“Oh?” Akechi said.

“A lot of kids at school were kind of badmouthing him,” Lena told him. “And while he was no stranger to shortcomings, I don’t think anyone deserves what happened to him…”

“Hm,” Akechi said. “You really are something special.” Lena was confused. “I see situations like this all the time. Someone who was killed or assaulted who wasn’t the best person. The people around them tend to say nasty things behind closed doors. I’m glad you’re not like them.”

“That must be so heartbreaking,” Lena replied.

“Wel, it is disheartening, I agree,” Akechi said. “But it makes me glad that I choose to spend time with people like you.” Lena blushed. “To change the subject, how was Hawaii?”

“Oh, Hawaii was great!” Lena answered. “The air was fresh, the ocean was wonderful, the food was wonderful. Just all around amazing.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Akechi said. “I’d like to go some day.”

“Where did you go for your field trip?” Lena wondered.

“Okinawa,” Akechi said. “Although, it was a bit difficult. I almost didn’t go because of my work.”

“Oh no,” Lena said. “How did you manage to go?”

“Well, I was working on this case,” Akechi said, “I’ll spare you the details because you REALLY don’t want to know, and I just managed to piece everything together faster than I usually do.”

“That’s amazing,” Lena said.

“Well, when you’re motivated, you’re motivated,” Akechi said.

“So, how was Okinawa?” Lena asked.

“It was amazing,” Akechi said. “Kind of how you described Hawaii. The beaches are great, and so is the food. Although I’m sure there are plenty of differences as well.”

“Right,” Lena said. “Well, it sounds lovely nonetheless. I kind of want to go.”

Akechi nodded. “I’d like to go again myself. If we can find the time, maybe we can go together.”

“Maybe,” Lena repeated. Their food arrived. “Oh, before we eat, I wanted to give you this.” She handed Akechi the bag.

Akechi took the bag and removed his gift. “A book on world landmarks.”

“Well, you said you would like to travel the world,” Lena said. “I thought you’d like to brush up on things.”

Akechi smiled. “It’s wonderful.”

Lena slightly blushed. “Um, the book is in English. I know your English is good, but if you need help…”

“Hm,” Akechi chuckled. “I see. If I do need help, I’ll message you.” Lena giggled to herself. “By the way, I would like to point out that your Japanese is really good too.”

“Thanks…” Lena said. A thought crossed Lena’s mind. “Um, Goro?”

“Hm?” Akechi responded

“...Um, this is going to seem odd, but, um, well, how do you feel about Tokyo?” Lena asked nervously.

“Well, that is kind of an odd question,” Akechi reiterated. “But to answer it, I mean, it has its pros and cons. Although, I guess all places are like that.”

“Right…” Lena said.

“I mean, it is the only place I’ve ever lived,” Akechi said. “So I don’t have much to compare it to.”

“Right…” Lena repeated.

Akechi could see that Lena was thinking about something. “Something on your mind?”

“Oh, it’s nothing,” Lena said, brushing it off.

Akechi nodded. “I see.” He did want to press further, but felt like now isn't the best time to do it. “Well then, I suggest we dig in.”

Lena nodded. “Let’s.” They both took a bite of their food. “Mmmmmm! Yummy!”

Akech swallowed his food. “Hm hm.I’m glad you like it.” They continued eating for a while, and then left.”

Meanwhile, Ren emerged from the station Shinichi told her to meet at. She looked around. “Over here!” Shinichi called out.

Ren looked over and saw him and Akane in their car. She walked over and got in. “Thanks.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Shinichi said.

“I’m so glad you could join us,” Akane said.

“Eh heh,” Ren laughed. “So, um, what are we doing?”

“Well, what did you want to do?” Shinichi asked.

“Well, I wanted to cook her something,” Ren said. “I imagine she’d be really hungry. But I wasn’t sure what to cook for her. Or where. I mean, I kind of wanted to do it at your place so you’d pick her up and then I could surprise her with a meal, but…”

Akane giggled. “Well, that’s awfully sweet of you.”

“However,” Shinichi interjected, “we usually have a tradition for this.”

“You…do?” Ren asked.

Shinichi nodded. “You’re not wrong that Sumire would be really hungry after this trip. But I don’t know if she’d be satisfied with what you’d make.” Ren was concerned. “I’m not saying you’re a bad cook or anything,” Shinichi continued. “But I don’t know if it’ll be enough.”

“Oh,” Ren said, realizing what he meant. “So, where are we going?”

“Well, as you know, I work at the Wilton Hotel,” Akane said. “Which means I get a discount whenever we go. But we try not to go too often for a few reasons.”

“We like to do this for special occasions,” Shinichi said. “The last time we went was…” He realized he didn’t want to finish that sentence.

Ren remembered why. “...Sorry…”

Shinichi put on a smile. “It’s alright. Well… You know what I mean.”

“But it’s nice to have you with us here this time,” Akane said. “I’m sure it’ll be just wonderful.”

They pulled up to the airport where Sumire was getting in. “We’re here,” Shinichi said. They got out of the car and walked in.

“How long until her plane lands?” Ren asked.

“Assuming it’s not delayed, about 15 minutes or so,” Shinichi said. Ren nodded. “Let’s see… Her terminal would be over there.” They made their way over.

A little while later, Sumire’s plan landed. Her teammates, Coach Hiraguchi, and Sumire entered the airport. Coach Hiraguchi was making sure that her students were getting picked up. Sumire looked up and noticed her parents. She rushed over to give them a hug. “Mom! Dad!”

“Welcome back, sweetie,” Akane said.

“We have a surprise for you,” Shinichi said.

“Hm?” Sumire replied. Her parents moved out of their way to display Ren, who awkwardly waved. “Eeep!” Sumire squeaked. Her face turned red.

“Eh, hi,” Ren said.

Sumire smiled. “Hi…”

Ren frowned. “You’re…not happy to see me?”

Sumire stood on edge. “No, I’m really happy to see you,” Sumire said. “I’m just surprised is all. Very surprised…”

“Well, she did want to surprise you,” Akane said.

“Um, does she know what’s about to happen?” Sumire asked.

“She’s joining us,” Shinichi informed her.

“WHAT?!” Sumire shrieked “Uhhhhhhhhh…”

Ren was confused. “What’s the matter?”

“Well…um…I’m just like…REALLY hungry…” Sumire explained. “I…I just…don’t want you to think I’m disgusting…”

Ren understood her girlfriend’s fear. She walked up to her and took her hand. “Hey.” Sumire looked up at her. “It’s OK.”

“Are…are you sure?” Sumire asked.

Ren nodded. “I’ll love you no matter what.” Sumire’s face turned red again, and started steaming. She placed her head on Ren’s shoulder and groaned.

“Maybe we should get out of here,” Shinichi suggested. “Before we make a scene.”

“Right,” Akane said.

Ren chuckled. “Come on Sumire, let’s go.” She started walking away with Sumire’s hand in hers, hoping she’d follow. It took Sumire a second, but she did. Soon enough, they were out of the airport, and on their way to the Wilton.

A little while later at the Wilton, Ren and Sumire were filling up their plates. Ren looked over to see a bunch of stuff piled onto Sumire’s plate. Sumire noticed Ren looking over and got slightly embarrassed. Ren smiled at her to assure her it was alright. They went through the buffet and then sat down at their table.

Sumire began eating right away. Ren took notice of this. After a bit, Sumire saw Ren noticing her, stopped, and said “Sorry…”

Ren giggled. “It’s OK. I’m more impressed than anything.”

“Well, these trips usually take a lot out of me,” Sumire explained.

“I can imagine,” Ren said. “I got really hungry after games when I was on the basketball team.”

“You were on the basketball team?” Akane asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I was kicked off though.”

“How come?” Shinichi said.

“They found out I liked girls,” Ren explained.

“Oh...” Shinichi said. “I apologize.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “Well... You know what I mean.” Shinichi chuckled.

“Getting back on topic,” Akane said, “This trip must be more exhausting than usual, huh Sumire.”

“Yeah, I don’t think you ever went to Hawaii before,” Shnichi chimed in.

Sumire shook her head. “But it was a good experience. Coach’s friend there was something else entirely.”

“Well that’s good to hear,” Shinichi said.

“Yeah,” Akane said.

Sumire’s stomach growed. “Eh heh.”

“Maybe we should just eat,” Ren suggested.

“Yeah,” Sumire said. She immediately started eating again. Ren dug into her food as well. Shinichi and Akane watched the two of them eat for a bit before eating themselves. By the time they left, Shinichi and Akane each had two plates, Ren had three, and Sumire had five.

Shinichi pulled up to where they were dropping Ren off. “Hey,” Sumire said before Ren could get out of the car. “I know it was a little awkward at first, but thanks for coming along tonight. It was a nice surprise.”

Ren blushed. “Well…You know I’d do anything for you…”

Sumire took Ren’s hand. “I know. But I appreciate it all the same.”

Ren smiled. They shared a kiss. “Well, goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Sumire said. Ren got out of the car. She waved at the Yoshizawa family. They waved back as they pulled away. Ren went back to Leblanc, and into bed.

Meanwhile, Hiroki entered his house. It was big, reflecting his family’s status. “I’m home!” he called out. No one answered, but he was used to it. As he started passing through his living room, he saw his brother on the couch laughing to himself. “What’s so funny?”

His brother looked over. “I didn’t hear you come home.”

Hiroki didn’t feel like arguing the point. “Whatever.”

“Hm,” his brother chuckled. “Well, I’m just looking at pictures of my future wife.”

This confused Hiroki. “Future wife?”

“Hm hm hm hm,” his brother cackled. “The head of Okumura foods promised me his daughter’s hand in marriage in exchange for us helping out his upcoming political run. She’s coming to live with us soon.”

“How come this is the first time I’m hearing about this?” Hiroki asked.

“Well, you know,” his brother said. “Moving parts and all that.”

“Right…”

“Besides, you’re so busy with school work.”

“Well, dad’s a politician,” Hiroki countered. “He’s busy too.”

“Well, he’s busy with stuff that matters,” his brother responded. “Like helping me get a wife.”

Probably because you couldn't get one on your own merits.

“Say, you wanna see a photo?” his brother asked. “I think she’s around your age. You might get along. But don’t try to steal her away.”

Hiroki sighed. He decided to take his brother up on the offer. Maybe I can help her once she gets here. “Fine.” He came over, only to see Haru. His eyes widened, as his face turned white. …Haru?

“Isn’t she just lovely?” his brother asked.

“Um…yeah…”

His brother noticed that Hiroki was looking pale. “Are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh,” Hiroki said. “I’m just a little tired. I mean, our principal was just murdered.”

“Right,” his brother said. “Well, if you’re feeling down, maybe just go to bed and let me have my fun.”

“Yeah…” Hiroki said. He started heading to his room. He started slowly, but then rushed up the stairs to close his door. He was breathing heavily. “Haru?...With that JERK?!...I can’t believe it!”

Notes:

The plot thickens...

I know we haven't gotten to the moment it happens, but I imagine you could have figured out that Hiroki was going to be Okumura's crusader when he started talking with Haru. I think it should have been kind of clear. But you were missing the linchpin of the whole thing. I am genuinly looking forward to what comes next. I know a lot of people are a bit lukewarm on the Okumura arc to put it mildly, and while I can't say I feel it as intensly, I really like what I'm doing with it, and I'm sort of feeling the energy of people wanting something better. I can't guarantee anything I write is better than the game, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

Chapter 139: Strength of Conviction

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Hiroki was panicking. Out of all the people his friend Haru could have been betrothed to, it HAD to be his brother. Hiroki knew this was a problem. He knew his brother was a jerk better than anybody. He was more than a jerk even. He was malice incarnate.

“Haru…” He muttered. He knew she had a tendency to undersell things that troubled her, but this was on a whole other level. “Does she know? I mean, she KNOWS. But does she know how bad?” He was shaking. “Calm down. This isn’t going to get you anywhere.”

He thought about it some more. “Okumura Foods… Perhaps I should pay them a little visit.” He decided to go to bed. He figured he could deal with it tomorrow.

The next day, as Ren was on her way to school, she got a message in the group chat.

Makoto: Sumire, I know you just got in last night, but did you have time to read the messages?

Sumire: I read them this morning.

Sumire: I’m still trying to process Principal Kobayakawa getting killed.

Sumire: But we’re meeting tonight, right?

Makoto: That’s right.

Ren: If you want to put it off for a bit, we’ll understand.

Sumire: It’s fine.

Sumire: If the information we found can help get us to the person who had Principal Kobayakawa killed, then I think the sooner we figure it out the better.

Ren: I couldn’t agree more.

Futaba: Rest assured, the data I found gives us a big lead.

Sumire: Thanks Futaba.

Ryuji: Can’t wait!

Yusuke: Neither can I!

Ann: I can’t either.

Makoto: Don’t get so eager you can’t focus in class.

Futaba: I’m pretty sure you literally just described Ryuji.

Lena: Don’t worry. I’ll try to make sure he pays attention.

Ryuji: HEY!

Ryuji: I mean, I guess it’s true.

Ryuji: But you don’t need to say it!

Jose: See you tonight then?

Ren: See you tonight.

They put their phones away, and prepared themselves for the rest of the day.

While the Phantom Thieves were concerned about their next big move, they weren’t the only ones. Hiroki was on edge all day. He was lacking his usual luster, and it showed. At lunch, as he was about to leave, Ryuji said “Hey.” Hiroki turned to him. “Are, uh, you OK?”

Hiroki put on a fake smile. “Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“It’s just…you seem kind of different,” Ryuji said.

“It’s true,” Lena said. “Is there a problem?”

Hiroki continued smiling. “It’s fine.”

“Well…if you say so, I guess,” Ryuji said.

Hiroki nodded. “I’m glad you understand.”

“But if there is something troubling you, we’d be willing to listen,” Lena said. “Not to mention Dr. Maruki.”

“...Yeah,” Hiroki replied. “Thanks.” He left to take care of some student council business.

As he was doing so, Makoto and Kisa approached him. “Hiroki?” Makoto asked. He looked up. “Are…you doing OK?”

“Hm?” Hiroki answered. “Yeah. I’m doing great!”

“Well, that’s good,” Makoto said.

“But it’s OK if you’re not,” Kisa added.

“Really, I’m fine,” Hiroki said.

“Well…if you ever need us, you know where to find us,” Makoto said.

“Of course,” Hiroki said. Makoto and Kisa were sure something was bothering Hiroki, but they couldn't figure out what. However, Hiroki was being so obstinate that they didn’t want to press the issue. So they just went back to doing their work for the student council.

Between classes and student council work, he was looking into Okumura Foods and Haru’s dad. He was aware that he was at the top of the poll for whose heart the Phantom Thieves should change, but digging deeper, he found out why that was the case. With each passing detail, he could hardly believe that this cold, ruthless person was the father of the warm and loving Haru.

Once school was over, Hiroki practically rushed out of his seat. He wanted to save Haru from the clutches of her father and his brother. He needed to. On his way out, he ran into Haru. “Oh!” Haru gasped. “Hiroki! I’m sorry.”

“Nah, it’s not your fault,” Hiroki said. “I was just in a rush. I’m sorry.”

Haru giggled. “It’s fine.”

“Right…” Hiroki said.

Haru looked him over. “Are you…feeling alright?”

“Why is everyone asking me that today?” Hiroki wondered.

“Well, I don’t think I can speak for anyone else,” Haru answered, “but to me, you tend to wear your heart on your sleeve. So when something is troubling you, it’s easy for me to tell.”

Hiroki processed what Haru told him. “It’s my brother.”

“What did he do this time?” Haru wondered.

Hiroki knew he couldn’t answer that. At least, not now. “It’s…nothing. I’m going to take care of it now. Don’t worry about it.”

“Well…if you say so…” Haru said.

“I’ll be fine,” Hiroki said. Haru still looked concerned. “Would I lie to you?”

“Well…no…” Haru said.

“See?” Hiroki said.

“Well then, good luck,” Haru said.

“Thanks,” Hiroki replied. He continued onward.

Haru watched on as he left. “...It looks like you might be in over your head. Then again, who am I to speak?” She continued on to tend to her plants.

Hiroki arrived at Okumura Foods HQ. The building was a little imposing, but he had to overcome that in order to save Haru. He entered and approached the desk at the front. The person manning it looked up at him. “Is Mr. Okumura in?”

The person manning the front desk glared at him. “Even if he was, he’s not going to meet with some random kid.”

Hiroki figured this might happen. Luckily, he came prepared. “Would 25000 yen change his mind?”

The front desk person was impressed. “I’ll check.” He got on the phone. “Hi boss…I know, I know…someone’s offering to meet with you for 25000 yen…hold on.” He put his hand over the receiver. “Are you sure you have it?” Hiroki took out a stack of cash. “Yeah, he seems to be good for it…very well.” He hung up. “Go on ahead.”

“Thanks,” Hiroki said. He took out more money. “And here’s 10000 for you for being so helpful.” The front desk person was stunned, but took the money. Hiroki left to find Mr. Okumura’s office.

Once he found it, he knocked. “Come in,” Mr. Okumura said.

Hiroki opened the door. “Hi Mr. Okumura. Thanks for-”

“The money,” Okumura said.

“Huh?” Hiroki said.

“You said you’d give me 25000 yen,” Okumura said. “You better not be lying.”

“Of course not,” Hiroki said. He took out the cash and handed it to him.

Okumura took the money almost immediately. “That’s better. You know, I’m the manager of perhaps the largest food conglomerate in the country. Not only that, I’m facing a PR disaster right now. I had to cancel a TV appearance I had planned because my lawyers say they need to figure out what I can and can’t say. So I don’t exactly have time for impromptu meetings.”

“I understand,” Hiroki said. “So, I’ll make this quick. I wish to talk about your daughter.”

“What about her?” Okumura said.

“Well, I understand you’ve promised her hand in marriage,” Hiroki said.

Okumura was stunned. “Are you planning to ask me if you could have her hand instead?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have said it so bluntly, but yes,” Hiroki said, slightly blushing.

“Hm,” Okumura scoffed. “You have guts kid. I like that. But I have to pass.”

“How come?” Hiroki said.

“Because,” Okumura answered firmly, “no matter how much money you’d offer, you can’t promise me an endorsement. I am planning on running in the upcoming election, and the person who is marrying my daughter is the son of an influential politician who will give me their endorsement.”

Hiroki was now stunned. “Well, what if I could promise you the same?”

“Oh?” Okumura said. “Aren’t you just full of surprises?”

Hiroki nodded. “See, the person you’re engaging your daughter to is actually my older brother. So the deal doesn’t have to change much.”

Okumura was impressed. He laughed maniacally. “Wow. You are very bold. But I’m still going to have to pass.”

“What?!”

“You’re not their first born son, so you don’t matter,” Okumura explained.

Hiroki was confused. “What? So that’s it? Just because I’m my family’s second child, I don’t matter as much?”

“Yes,” Okumura answered.

“But that makes no sense,” Hiroki protested.

“You don’t get it,” Okumura said. “In this world, people are determined by how useful they are. That’s just how it is. And a first born son is more useful than a second born son.”

Hiroki was shocked at just how cold Mr. Okumura actually was. “What about Haru?” he asked in desperation. “How does she feel about all of this?”

Okumura smirked. “Why, she’s grateful. She’s serving her father, as all good girls should. Really, it’s an honor for her.” Hiroki’s heart sank. “If you don’t have anything else to say, I suggest you leave before I have you escorted.”

Hiroki sighed. “Very well.” He started leaving.

“Oh!” Okumura said. Hiroki turned to him. “I almost forgot. If you don’t want me telling your family about this, I’ll need another 25000.” Hiroki fished through his pocket and got out the money. He threw it on Okumura’s desk. “Wow. Had I known it was that easy, I would have asked for more. But a deal’s a deal. You can leave now.” Hiroki pouted, but left.

As he was walking through the halls, he noticed he was catching the attention of some of the other employees. When he looked at them, they turned away. He knew they were being treated poorly. Why was he expecting something different?

He exited the building, and walked a few blocks. Once he was far enough away, he screamed. Once he finished, he was breathing heavily. People were looking at him, but he didn’t care. He was too distraught. The girl he loved was being sold to someone who didn’t care about anyone but himself by a man who only sees people based on how valuable they are to him. He continued on his way home, having failed to do anything he felt like he needed to.

Once he got home, he went straight to his room. He was too distraught to eat, work on school work, or even humor his brother by pretending to like him. Once he closed the door, he sighed. “My my,” Eris said.

Hiroki was alarmed at the strange figure in his room. “Who…who are you?”

“You can think of me as a guardian angel,” Eris replied.

Hiroki was confused. “Why are you here?”

“Because,” Eris answered, “I know you want to save her.” Hiroki’s heart stopped. “But why stop at saving just her? You know what her father’s like. He’s one of the most influential businessmen in Japan. If he’s treating you like that, God only knows how he treats others.”

Hiroki was shaken. Everything this figure was saying was accurate. Eris took out an apple. “If you wish to right all this man’s wrongs, all you have to do is take a bite.”

Hiroki looked at the apple, then at the figure. “But…But what about the Phantom Thieves? Aren’t they going to do something?”

“Who knows?” Eris said. Hiroki went pale. “I mean, if you want, you could wait on them. But who knows when they’ll act. Or if they’ll even act at all. It could be well after your little girlfriend is in the arms of your brother that they may do something. Maybe they’ll do nothing at all.”

She offered the apple again. “But this is a guarantee. This means you’ll for sure stop her dad from selling her. This means you can do it in record time. And guess what? YOU’LL be the hero. All you have to do is trust your guardian angel.”

Hiroki was shaken. The Phantom Thieves seemed reliable until this point. But she was right. Haru’s current plan was entirely faith-based. And he knew his plan to walk in today was also faith-based, and look how that turned out. If he wanted a concrete chance at saving Haru, he knew he had to take action. He took the apple and bit into it.

He chewed it slowly and swallowed it. A light went off in his head, and a fire lit up in his eyes. Eris chuckled. “Glad I could be of service.” She disappeared. Hiroki went over to his computer to begin planning something.

Meanwhile, Ren, Morgana, and Futaba were waiting in Leblanc watching the TV. Ren wanted to catch Akechi’s interview, just out of curiosity. “So Akechi, after the Phantom Thieves took down Medjed, do you still have reservations about them?”

Akechi nodded. “While I cannot deny that the Phantom Thieves have done good things, I’m still wary of their presence.” The audience was a little upset with him.

“Eh heh heh,” Futaba chuckled.

“You know, a lot of people have come around on them.”

“I am aware,” Akechi responded. “But I’m not one to change my entire stance on a whim. As long as they operate without some kind of check, they have the potential to pose a danger to the country.”

“But you’ve said it yourself, they’ve been doing a lot of good.”

“True,” Akechi said. “I don’t mean to come off as someone who just wants to hate the Phantom Thieves. Why, I’ll even admit, I do like them somewhat.”

There was some clamor in the audience. “Oh my. This is an interesting turn of events.”

“You say that, but in actuality, it’s a tale as old as time,” Akechi said. Ren, Morgana, and Futaba were curious. “This is a classic battle between master thieves and a world class detective. No offense to the common criminal, but they don’t present a case that is as compelling.”

“I don’t think you need to worry about offending criminals.”

“True,” Akechi replied. “But the Phantom Thieves… Love them or hate them, you probably have several questions about them.”

“Too true.”

“As a detective, it is in my nature to want to answer such questions,” Akechi went on. “Not just who they are, or how they do what they do, but why. They say they’re on the side of justice, as do I. In essence, we’re two sides of the same coin. If I can crack that why, maybe we can both stand on the same side.

But until then, I can’t afford to trust them completely. As long as they are a mystery, I have a duty as a detective to solve it. But I am grateful that they are presenting me with such a grand mystery to solve.”

“So THAT’S why you said you liked the Phantom Thieves.”

“Well, I will admit, it’s a bit of a childish reason,” Akechi said. “I’ve read a lot of detective books when I was younger, and the detective versus thief trope always appealed to me. Getting to be a part of it in real life feels like a once in a lifetime opportunity.” The audience seemed more understanding of Akechi’s position

“Well, there you have it.”

“Ooooooo. He’s good!” Futaba exclaimed.

The rest of the Phantom Thieves showed up. “We’re here!” Ann greeted.

Ren nodded. “Let’s head upstairs.” They followed Ren up to her room.

They were sitting around the table. Futaba got out her laptop. “Are you ready?” she asked.

“Hold on,” Sumire said. “Um, could we discuss what happened to Principal Kobayakawa for a second?”

“Oh right,” Jose said. “I almost forgot.”

“Well, from what my sister has told me,” Makoto said, “it appears that a cop went under a mental breakdown and began to attack Kobayakawa. He was outside of a police station when it happened.”

“I guess he was going to make good on his promise,” Ann said.

“But they got to him before that could happen!” Ryuji remarked bitterly.

“It is odd though,” Yusuke said. “Why not attack Principal Kobayakawa directly and give him a mental shutdown?”

“That’s…a good point,” Makoto said.

“Maybe it has something to do with the weird reading Futaba mentioned,” Lena suggested.

“Maybe…” Futaba said.

“I think it has to be related,” Morgana said. “The person who did this has the ability to mess with the metaverse. That’s no easy feat. If they couldn’t get to Principal Kobayakawa, there has to be a reason.”

“Should we be worried?” Sumire wondered.

“I’m not sure,” Ren said. “If they couldn’t get to Principal Kobayakawa, I doubt they could get to us as well. But we shouldn’t leave their power unchecked for too long.”

Makoto nodded. “He mentioned someone becoming the most powerful person in Japan. That could be related to the upcoming elections.”

“So, we just gotta figure this out before then?” Ryuji said.

“Easier said than done,” Yusuke pointed out.

“Well, we’re the Phantom Thieves!” Ann said. “We’ve done the impossible before. Let’s do it again!”

“Ann’s right,” Morgana said. “We can’t give up now!”

Ren smiled. “So, how about that data then, Futaba?”

“Oh, right,” Futaba replied. She opened her laptop. “According to Makoto’s sister’s information, there’s a pattern on a lot of the mental shutdown cases.”

“When you say ‘a lot’, what does that mean?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, there have been a lot of cases overall,” Futaba said. “But the ones connected here aren’t a majority. However, they are a plurality.”

“A what now?” Ryuji wondered.

“I believe a plurality is having the most without going over 50%,” Lena said.

“That’s correct,” Makoto said.

Ryji still seemed a little confused. “So, for example,” Ren said, “if you were asked to gather ten sports balls, and you gathered four soccer balls, three basketballs, two baseballs, and a tennis ball, the soccer balls would be in the plurality.”

“Oh! Gotcha,” Ryuji replied.

“So, this person has a lot of attacks under their belt,” Jose said. “Does that mean they’re the person Kobayakawa was talking about?”

“Even if he’s not, he still has a lot of sway,” Yusuke said. “If he’s not the person at the top, I’m sure we’ll figure out who is if we investigate.”

“So, who is this person?” Lena said.

“Well…that’s where things get a little complicated,” Futaba said. “It’s the head of Okumura Foods.”

Everyone was shocked. “Wait, the guy at the top of the Phansite Rankings?!”

“The very same,” Futaba said. The concern grew.

“Uh, I’m lost,” Jose said. “Why is that a problem?”

“It’s just odd,” Yusuke said. “The people want this, and he’s behind a lot of the mental shutdowns? It seems like too much of a coincidence.”

“Uh, no offense, but I think a lot of how we figured things out is coincidental,” Ryuji.

“I guess that’s true,” Sumire admitted.

“What’s different this time is that it feels too convenient,” Makoto said. “Almost as if we’re being funneled in this direction. And since we know something is up, it gives me cause for concern.”

“That’s true too,” Sumire said.

“So this is a trap?” Lena wondered

“Maybe,” Ren said. “But it’s one we may need to set off anyway. In case you’ve forgotten, there's one other element to all of this.”

“Right. Eris,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “So, Futaba, what’s his name?” She got out her phone.

Futaba was stone solid, but knew what she had to do. “Kunikazu Okumura.”

“Match found,” Ren’s phone responde.

“It’s a hit!” Ann exclaimed.

“And that’s not all,” Ren said. She showed her phone. Just as before, Okumura’s name was in black, as well as the line bellow it, but the line of the bottom was in white.”

“Looks like Eris sprung her trap,” Morgana pointed out.

“So, it’s damned if we do, damned if we don’t, huh?” Ann pointed out. A level of concern hung over the Phantom Thieves.

Morgana grew serious. “Well, I don’t know about you, but I’d rather be damned keeping someone alive than letting someone die just to save our skin.”

“Heh,” Ryuji laughed. “When you’re right, you’re right.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “I was going on about how we do the impossible, but was about ready to cave in. But that’s not what we’re about.”

Ren smiled. “So, it sounds like we’re in agreement then?” Everyone nodded. “Great.”

Sumire yawned. Everyone looked at her. “I’m sorry. I’m still a little exhausted from my trip.”

Ann giggled. “That’s OK. Truth be told, I’m a little beat too.”

“Well, we got a lot done tonight,” Futaba said.

Makoto nodded. “We can start looking into this tomorrow then.” Everyone nodded. “Goodnight then.” They all said their goodnights, and then left for the evening.

Later, as Ren and Morgana were laying in bed, Ren commented “You know, you did a good job at rallying everyone tonight.”

“You think so?” Morgana wondered.

“Yeh,” Ren responded. “I think you’re getting some more of your own confidence.”

“Maybe…” Morgana said, not sure of himself.

“Don’t think I didn’t notice you dropping the ‘Lady’ in ‘Lady Ann’,” Ren said.

“Well, it seemed like the right thing to do,” Morgana said.

“And giving us the confidence to continue our mission is also the right thing to do,” Ren pointed out.

“I guess that’s true…” Morgana replied. “It just feels different. When I was saying stuff like that before, a part of me felt like I had to. I was created to serve this purpose, you know. But now, it feels like if I wasn’t I’d still do it. I just…want to help my friends.”

Ren giggled. “Well, it looks like you’ve found something.”

“I have?” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “Once this is all over, you can still help us. Maybe not in the sense of taking on palaces in another dimension, but in other ways. I know you’ve been a big help to me ever since I came here.”

Morgana giggled. “You keep saying that.”

“When it stops being true, I’ll stop saying it,” Ren replied. They shared a laugh. “I think you’re gonna be alright.”

Morgana smiled. “Yeah.”

Magician-Morgana: Rank 7

“Well, we have our work cut out for us tomorrow,” Ren said. “Goodnight Morgana.”

“Goodnight,” Morgana replied. They were both soon asleep.

Meanwhile, Hiroki was again outside of Okumura Foods HQ wearing a poncho to hide his identity. This time, he wasn’t overwhelmed. He was more confident than he’d ever been. In his hand was a stone. He threw it through a window.

When the security guards came to investigate, he ran. They tried following him, but he lost them. As he was hiding, he took out a remote. On a nearby roof, a drone activated. Hiroki took out his phone to monitor the drone, and it quietly descended into the building through the hole the stone made.

From there, it discreetly made its way to the nearest computer, landing on top of it. Hiroki played around with a different lever, which activated a mechanical arm attached to the drone. It picked up a flash drive that had been loaded on as well, and plugged it into the computer. Hiroki monitored the progress. The drive was gathering information, and when it finished, the arm took it out of the computer.

The security guards came back in and discussed what they should do. Hiroki waited before making any further moves with the drone. When they decided to file a report, the guards went to their office, giving Hiroki enough wiggle room to escort the drone out.

One his way home, he looked at the flash drive and chuckled. “Success.” He gripped it tightly. “Don’t worry Haru. You’ll soon be safe from them.” He tucked the drive into his pocket. He walked home with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.

Notes:

I think the Okumura arc is where things in my fic are going to shift significantly. You see it here with Morgana not leaving the party and them being more OK with going after Okumura because of Eris' whole deal. I know things have been different before, but I feel like the bigger changes are starting to unfold. It won't reach a fever pitch for a bit, but I want you to be prepared. The fact that it's the Okumura arc this is happening at is more conicidental than intentional. It's where the story starts picking up in the game, and as a reflection the story starts picking up here too. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 140: A Flower in the Wasteland

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Haru headed downstairs the next morning to hear her father furious. Him being angry wasn’t an uncommon occurrence, but with the recent bad press he was heating up more than usual. Haru noticed he was on the phone.

“WHAT?!...How could you IDIOTS let them escape?!...Do you know what this will do to my IMAGE?!...Yes, yes, I’ll be right there…Alright…” He hung up.

Haru’s dad turned around to see his daughter observing him on the stairs. “Oh, Haru,” he said. “Forgive me. I’m sorry you had to see me like that.”

“...It’s…alright…” Haru said.

“Someone went and vandalized the office last night,” Okumura explained. “Why does this always happen to me?” He sighed. “Anyways, I have to go. I’m sorry I can’t stay for breakfast.”

“...It’s…alright…” Haru repeated.

“I’m glad to have such an understanding daughter,” Okumura said. “If only the people could be more like you.” He left in a hurry.

Haru, still on the stairs, considered her situation. “I wish I could be more like the people…”

Okumura arrived at his office in a fury. “What is going on?!” he demanded.

“Well, uh, sir,” one of the security guards said, “some kind came by last night and threw a rock through the window.”

“I’m aware of that!” Okumura chided. “Why didn’t you catch him?!”

“We lost track of him,” the other guard stated.

“Grrr,” Okumura hissed. “WHAT AM I PAYING YOU FOR?! Do I have to hire MORE people?!”

The security guards were scared. “We’ll do better next time, sir! We promise!”

Okumura looked at them intently. “You better.” He walked away in anger. On the way to his office, the employees took note of his sour mood. A chilly feeling hung in the air after he passed by.

He got to his office and sat down. He was furious, but he calmed down enough to begin work. After all, time is money. He started up his computer. However, it didn’t go to his desktop. Instead, an ominous and threatening note appeared on his screen. It read:

“Mr. Okumura,

You believe you’re on top of the world. You believe you are too high and mighty to care about anything besides your bottom line. If that’s the case, I will make you care.

I have gained access to all of the data stored at Okumura Foods HQ. I know each and every one of your dirty little secrets. I could leak this to the public at any time. But I will give you an opportunity to make things right.

You want to have a pristine image? Well, here’s your chance. I want you to fix things up at your company, Make sure everyone gets treated equally. I also want you to give your money to various causes.

If I don’t see any improvement from you, I will hunt you down and kill you. You have until October 11th.

-The Savior of the Apocalypse”

Okumura was slightly scared, but more furious. “GAH!” he screamed. He picked up his phone. “ Hello, tech support?!”

“Yes?” the person on the other end answered.

“GET IN HERE NOW!”

“Yes sir!”

A few minutes later, Okumura was talking with some tech people in his office. “HOW did some punk get into MY computer?!”

“We’re looking into it now,” the tech guy said. 

“This is the LAST thing I need,” Okumura said.

“Um, sir?”

“WHAT?!”

“Um, aren’t you a little concerned?” the tech guy said. “About the contents of the letter, I mean?”

Okumura glared at him. “Do you REALLY think this punk can follow through on this?!”

“Well, he did get into our systems,” the tech guy said. “That’s no easy feat.”

“And yet, it happened,” Okumura said.

“Well, if he did that…” the tech guy implied.

Okumura sighed. “Very well. I’ll talk with the security team.”

“Thank you,” the tech guy said. He left.

Okumura sighed. “This is the last thing I need. And my campaign is launching soon.” He looked back at the note. “‘Savior of the Apocalypse’ PAH! I’m helping usher in a utopia, and they have the GALL to tell me this is an apocalypse! When I find out who you are, I’ll tear you piece by piece!” He sighed. “I should call the security team,” he said, resigned. He picked up his phone.

Meanwhile, Hiroki was on cloud nine. The first part of his plan was set in motion. He was this much closer to releasing Haru from the clutches of her father. Of course, he needed to monitor the situation to see what Mr. Okumura would do, but the onus was now on him. He continued to school with a spring in his step.

When he got to class, Lena turned to him and said “Well, it seems like you’re feeling better.”

Hiroki smiled. “You have no idea.”

Ryuji walked in a few minutes later. He sat down and turned to Lena. “Hey.”

“Hi,” Lena replied.

“Hi there,” Hiroki said.

‘Oh! Hey there,” Ryuji greeted.

“Sorry,” Hiroki said. “I’m just excited.”

“I can tell,” Ryuji said.

Hiroki chuckled. “We should prepare for class.”

“R-RIght…” Ryuji said. Lena giggled. They got ready for class.

Later, as he was doing student council work, he was approached by Makoto. “So, how are you feeling today?”

Hiroki looked up. “Just peachy.”

“Well, that’s good,” Makoto replied.

“It is,” Hiroki said.

“Well, if you need anything, you know you can count on me,” Makoto said.

“Of course,” Hiroki said.

Makoto nodded. “I’ll talk to you later.”

“Sounds good,” Hiroki said. Makoto headed back to her station.

Kisa walked over to Makoto. “Um, are you sure he’s alright?” she asked discreetly.

“Well…” Makoto answered. “I can’t say I’m not concerned. But I feel it’s better if I give him some breathing room.”

Kisa looked over at Hiroki, then turned back to Makoto. “Yeah. Hiroki will tell us when he feels like it.” She went back to doing her student council work.

A little later, Sae arrived at Okumura Foods headquarters. She approached the front desk. The person asked “Can I help you?”

Sae took out her business and slid it to them. “My name is Sae Niijima; a prosecutor for the Special Investigations Unit. I would like to ask Mr. Okumura a couple of questions.”

The person at the front desk was confused. “Already?” Sae was confused by that. “Well, uh, sure. Just go on up.”

Sae nodded. “Thank you. Feel free to keep my card.” She started walking to Okumura’s office.

She knocked on the door. “Come in,” Okumura demanded. Sae opened the door. “You’re from the prosecutor’s office, yes?”

Sae walked in. “That is correct. I have some questions I’d like to-”

“Why are you asking ME questions?!” Okumura. “I’M the victim here!”

Sae was now more confused, though she kept her composure. “Of course. Just…tell me what happened.”

Okumura calmed down. “That’s more like it.” Sae felt the sting of Okumura’s casual sexism, but pretended she didn’t. “This morning, I received a threatening letter. I’m going over things with my security team, but I guess having someone else investigate it as well would be beneficial.”

“I see,” Sae nodded. “May I see this letter?” Okumura nodded. He turned his monitor over so Sae could see the note. Sae read through it carefully. With each passing line, she felt a familiar feeling. It wasn’t as charged as Naoko’s manifesto, but it had a similar cadence.

“So,” Okumura interjected, “how long do you think this investigation will take?”

“Hmmmm,” Sae pondered. “This seems serious.”

“I’d like it if it took as little time as possible,” Okumura stated.

Sae smiled. “I’m glad you said that.” She turned to him. “I believe this may tie into an investigation I’m currently conducting.”

“What?!” Okumura said, shocked.

“It might take a bit for me to bring my full force to bear,” Sae said. “Our office is busy at the moment, and I need to run this by my boss before I take any drastic measures. However, once the investigation begins in full, I can count on your full cooperation, right?”

Okmura seemed less than pleased, but he wasn’t in a position to argue. Also, he did want this situation dealt with as soon as possible. “Fine,” he relented.

“Thank you Mr. Okumura,” Sae said. She handed him a business card. “I’ll be in touch.” She left the office.

Okumura got on his phone and made a call. “Hello?”

“One of YOUR prosecutors just stopped by,” Okumura said. “Care to explain?!”

“I see,” the SIU director said. “Was their name, by chance, Sae Niijima?”

Okumura looked at the business card. “That’s EXACTLY who I’m talking about,” he replied.

“Hm. Well then,” the director said. “Just go along with it for now.”

“But what about-?!”

“Don’t worry about a thing,” the director said. “We’ll be sure to protect you in all of this.”

Okumura nodded. “I sure hope so. “I don’t know how much more of this I can take!”

“Rest assured, everything will be alright,” the director said. “Goodbye.” They hung up. The director smiled. “All according to plan.”

After school, Hiroki was walking through the halls when Haru approached him. “Oh, Haru. Just who I was looking for. What a coincidence.”

“Well, not really…” Haru said. “I was looking for you too.”

“Oh. Of course,” Hiroki said.

“So, did you solve your issue with your brother?” Haru asked.

Hiroki smiled. “Well, kind of…”

“‘Kind of…’?” Haru wondered.

“Well, it will be resolved,” Hiroki said. “Sooner or later, I won’t have to worry about him.”

“What do you mean by that?” Haru asked.

Hiroki chuckled. “Well, let’s just say I’ve been given the key to solve all my problems.” He grabbed Haru’s hand. “All OUR problems.”

Haru pulled back. “You’re starting to scare me, Hiroki.”

“Well, I don’t mean to scare you,” Hiroki said. “I’m here to save you. I’m here to save everyone.”

“Why do you sound angry when you say that?” Haru asked.

Hiroki laughed. He sighed. “I knew I couldn’t quite fool you, Haru. I could put on a facade for everyone but you.” Haru was more worried. “To answer your question, ‘anger’ is a bit pedestrian. What I’m feeling is an ire that matches what this cruel world has done to us without our permission. And soon, I will right those wrongs, and stop the oncoming apocalypse.”

Haru gave him a smack across the face. “What’s gotten into you?!”

Hiroki reeled. “The thing that’s ‘gotten into me’ is that for the first time in my life, I feel like I can do something that matters.”

“So being my friend doesn’t matter?” Haru asked.

“I don’t mean it like that,” Hiroki said.

“Hm,” Haru huffed.

“Aw, c’mon,” Hiroki said. “I’m not saying anything the Phantom Thieves aren’t, and you put your faith in them. The only difference is you know me. You trust me.”

Haru was shaking. “I know Hiroki,” she said, forcefully. “I don’t know you.” Her phone went off. She was concerned.

“You can answer it,” Hiroki said.

Haru wasn’t sure, but decided to do so to try and collect herself. “Hello?”

“Haru?!”

“Father?!”

“Haru, I want you to come home right away!” her father demanded.

“You sound worried,” Haru said. “Is everything alright?”

Haru could hear her father stewing on the other end of the phone. “Everything will be fine,” her dad explained. “Just come home!”

Haru only grew more concerned. “I’ll come home then.”

“Thank you,” her dad said. “I’ll see you soon.” They hung up.

Hiroki chuckled. “Was that you dad?” Haru was still concerned, but she nodded. “Eh, you can go.”

Haru was surprised. “This conversation isn’t over!’ she protested.

“I know,” Hiroki said. “I’ll be waiting.” Haru looked at him, unsure of what was happening, but she decided to leave for now. Whatever it was, she knew she couldn’t leave it be.

After she left, Hiroki chuckled some more. “I might as well let him have more time with her while he still has time,” he said to himself. He grew more serious. “Don’t worry Haru. I’m sure you’ll understand in due time.” He decided to take his leave as well.

Meanwhile, the Phantom Thieves were meeting. “So, how are we going to figure out all the words to get into Okumura’s Palace?” Lena asked

“Well, the good news is I figured out the second keyword last night,” Futaba told them.

“You did?” Ann said. “That’s great!”

“So what is it?” Morgana wondered.

“It’s Okumura Foods Headquarters,” Futaba informed them.

“You know, I think we could have guessed that,” Ryuji said.

“To be fair, it could also have been his house,” Yusuke said. “Madarame’s was his shack, remember?”

“Right,” Ryuji said.

“Is there a bad news in there somewhere, Futaba?” Ren asked.

“Well, yes…” Futaba answered. “I’m not sure how we’re going to find out the final word.”

“Well, all we have to do is find whoever is targeting him, right?” Ryuji said.

“No offense, but I think that’s easier said than done,” Jose said.

“Jose’s right,” Makoto said. “I mean, he is number one on the Phansite poll rankings. It’s going to be hard to narrow that down.”

“I could try,” Futaba said, “but even then, I don’t know what to look for.”

“Hmmmm,” Sumire said. “This is tough.”

“Maybe we can use this,” Lena said. She pulled up an article on her phone. “Vandalism at Okumura Foods.”

“Woah!” Ryuji said. “You think whoever did that is our guy?”

“It seems like a coincidence,” Yusuke said.

“Given that Eris has corrupted someone, I’d be willing to take that chance,” Ren said.

Makoto seemed hesitant. Jose noticed this. “Is something on your mind, Makoto?” he asked.

“Huh? Oh…well…” Makoto stammered. “I’m worried about going down there to investigate. I don’t think Mr. Okumura took this very well.”

“I get it,” Sumire said. “We might look suspicious if we all go together.’

“Yeah,” Morgana agreed. “I mean, in the city, we can blend in just fine, despite our eclectic group. But near a corporate HQ, especially one that’s investigating vandalism, we’d stick out like a sore thumb.”

“Um, just curious,” Ryuji said. “But if we’d stick out, how could we get into his palace? We’d all have to be there, right?”

“He brings up a good point,” Jose said.

“Well, for that, we’d be there and gone in an instant,” Morgana said.

“Or at least we wouldn’t be staring at the place for too long,” Ren added. “And as much as I want to get to the bottom of this, I don’t want to get arrested again.”

“Fair,” Yusuke said

“What if we went one at a time?” Lena suggested.

They thought about it. “You know, I think that could work,” Makoto said.

“Plus, with only one of us on the ground there, the rest of us can find other ways to search for this crusader,” Futaba pointed out.

“You’re just saying that because you don’t want to go out alone, aren’t you?” Ren teased.

“He he,” Futaba chuckled.

“So, should one of us go there now?” Ann asked.

“Hold on,” Makoto said. “This is the immediate aftermath. It might be a bit too suspicious to go right now.”

“I agree,” Morgana said.

“Well then, starting tomorrow, we should take turns observing the scene,” Sumire said.

“Oo! I can do it tomorrow,” Lena said, excitedly.

“Well, it sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said. “So, as long as we’re here, you want some grub?” The crew agreed, and Ren went to make food for everyone.

In the office of the SIU director, there was a knock at the door. “Come in,” he said.

Sae entered. She was nervous, but she wouldn’t show it. “You wanted to see me sir?”

“I hear you visited Okumura Foods earlier today,” the director said.

Sae was stunned. “How did you-?!”

“Mr. Okumura is one of the richest people in Tokyo,” the director said. “He and I are acquaintances.”

“I see…” Sae said, slightly dejected by the general situation of the rich rubbing elbows with the justice system.

“What did you find?” the director asked.

Sae nodded. “I was there to investigate the possible tie between Mr. Okumura and some of the victims of the mental shutdowns. However, it appears someone had vandalized the building last night.”

“Interesting,” the director said.

“He also informed me that he received a threat,” Sae said. “When I read it over, it looked like that manifesto that was passed around targeting Junya Kanashiro.”

“Do you think they’re by the same person?” the director asked.

“No,” Sae reported. “The cadence was different. However, I do believe it ties into how the Phantom Thieves mention someone else going after their targets.”

“So, you’re saying that the Phantom Thieves are going after Okumura?” the director asked.

“I believe so, yes,” Sae answered.

The director nodded. “Well then, you are free to do whatever you please.”

Sae was shocked. “You mean it?”

“Of course,” the director said. “If you think you can uncover the Phantom Thieves and whoever is behind those ghastly shutdowns, then I see no reason to impede your investigation. Plus, this threatmaker is an added bonus.”

Sae bowed. “Thank you sir.”

The director smiled. “Of course. Now, I imagine you have a lot to do.”

Sae stood at attention. “Right.” She turned and left.

Once she got back to her office, Riko asked “So, what was that about?”

Sae smirked. “The director gave me full steam ahead to investigate Okumura.”

Riko was stunned. “Just like that?”

“Just like that,” Sae repeated. Riko seemed worried. “What is it?”

“Well, I’m excited for you,” Riko said, “but…isn’t this a little too convenient?”

“What are you implying?” Sae asked.

“I’m just saying…” Riko said, “be cautious.”

Sae nodded. “Right. Thank you. Well, I have some things to prepare.”

“Right,” Riko said. Sae went back to her office, while Riko sat back down at her desk.

Haru arrived home. Her father was there to greet her with a hug again. “Haru, my dear. I’m glad you’re safe.”

Haru was again torn. Last time this had happened, she had hoped her father had returned to his previous self. She wasn’t about to get her hopes up this time. “Did…something happen?”

Okumura let go. “We don’t need to get into it, but yes.”

“Oh…I see…” Haru said.

Okumura sighed. “At any rate, the situation is being taken care of. But I’m concerned about you. I want you back home immediately after school until this is settled.”

Haru was stunned. Whatever rattled her father shook him a lot. “But…what about my club activities?!”

Okumura was displeased, but knew Haru had a passion for her club activities. “Fine. Be home by 7, and not a minute later. You hear me?”

Haru bowed. “Thank you father.”

Okumura nodded. “That’s my girl. Now, if you’ll excuse me, because of what happened, I’ve had to delay some important meetings. So I apologize, but you will be dining alone this evening.”

“I…” Haru was about to say “don’t mind,” but caught herself before doing so. She instead finished “..understand.”

“Hm. Well, I’m glad SOME people do,” Okumura remarked with his usual underlying vitriol. He began to leave. As he passed Haru, he muttered “...When I find this ‘Savior of the Apocalypse’ I’m gonna…” he left out the door.

Haru heard just enough though, and grew concerned. “...Apocalypse? Hi-Hiroki-kun?!” She was worried, but didn’t have the means to investigate thoroughly. She went to eat dinner and further contemplate what to do.

The next day, during lunch, Haru found Makoto in the hall. “Oh!” she bowed. “Hello there Niijima-san.”

“Um, hi,” Makoto said, awkwardly. “You’re Haru, right? Hiroki’s friend.”

Haru nodded. “Um, well, I…kind of wanted to talk to you about Hiroki.”

“Oh?” Makoto said. “Did something happen?”

“Well, kind of…” Haru said. “I’m not sure how to explain it.”

Makoto looked around. “Let’s move someplace more private then.” Haru nodded. Makoto began to walk, and Haru followed.

They ended up by the vending machines. Makoto looked around some more. “Um, why here?” Haru asked.

“Huh?” Makoto replied. “Oh, well, if we went to the student council office, Hiroki might be there, which may cause problems.”

“Oh,” Haru said.

Makoto finished looking. “I don’t think I see him.” Makoto sat at the table. Haru sat across from her. “So, what’s been happening?”

Haru was a little hesitant. “Well…I think Hiroki’s been acting weird lately.”

“Hmmm,” Makoto said. “I’ve been noticing that too. But he’s insisted he’s fine, and it’s hard to confront him when I don’t know what exactly is going on.”

“I understand,” Haru said. “Hiroki does tend to say he’s fine when he’s bearing the weight of the world. But I think something happened recently that’s changed him.”

“I know what you mean,” Makoto replied. “The day before yesterday, he seemed very stressed out. And yesterday, he seemed like he was on top of the world. It’s a really strange turnaround.”

“Well…” Haru began, “...when I talked with him yesterday, he seemed…I guess enraged.”

Makoto was shocked. “That doesn’t sound like Hiroki.”

Haru nodded. “I agree.” She paused. “He went on talking about how he could solve all of our problems, and how he was fighting this cruel world.”

Makoto was really confused. “I feel like I should have seen this.”

“Well…to be fair, he did tell me he knew he could fool everyone but me,” Haru said.

“I’ve never known Hiroki to be someone who would fool anyone though,” Makoto said.

“True…” Haru said. “But the thing that’s really worrying me is…well…it’s a long story…”

Makoto nodded. “We have time.”

Haru nodded. “Before I could finish talking with Hiroki, I got a call from my father asking me to come home. When I got home, he was shaken. I could tell something had happened, but he wouldn’t tell me anything. However, before he left, I heard him mumbling something, and it reminded me of something Hiroki had said earlier.”

“Oh?” Makoto said.

Haru nodded. “Hiroki mentioned something about saving us from an oncoming apocalypse. And my father mentioned he was threatened by someone who calls themselves the ‘Savior of the Apocalypse’. It…just feels so confusing.”

“Hmmmm,” Makoto thought. A weird shift in mood, and an apparent targeting of a specific person. She looked at Haru. If I’m wrong, I’d be telling someone I barely know. But if I’m right, we could have more time to do this.

Hair noticed Makoto’s pondering. “Is something the matter?”

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh, I’m just thinking about something.”

“What is it?” Haru asked.

Makoto looked at her intently. She sighed. “This is going to be a longshot. But, by chance, are you the daughter of the head of Okumura Foods?”

Haru was surprised. “Um…well…I try to keep that a secret…but yes…”

I was right! “I see. Just one more question: Has anything else strange happened to you? It doesn’t have to be about Hiroki.”

“Hmmmm,” Haru said. “Now that you mention it, there is something. But I’m not sure you could help. Er, no offense.”

Makoto sighed lightly. “It’s fine. Just tell me.”

“Well…” Haru was still hesitant. “This weird app appeared on my phone. And no matter what I do, I can’t remove it. Crazy, right?”

“I see…” Makoto said. She got out her phone. “Does it look like this?”

Haru was very surprised. “You have it too?!”

“Yes,” Makoto said. “Well, this changes everything. Believe it or not, I have the solution. But I need you to meet up with me and some of my friends after school.”

Haru nodded. “Well, it does sound a bit odd, but since you have the app too, I think I can trust you.”

Makoto nodded back. “Great. Let’s meet back here after school.”

“Very well,” Haru said. She stood up and bowed. “Thank you for listening to me.”

“Oh, it’s my pleasure,” Makoto said. Haru walked away, while Makoto got out her phone.

Makoto: So, I have some good news.

Makoto: I think I’ve figured out how to get into Okumura’s palace.

Makoto: But we need to bring someone new into the fold.

Ryuji: Eh. Nothing new.

Ann: Yeah, it seems like someone joins us whenever we find a palace.

Yusuke: I don’t think it’s worth complaining about.

Yusuke: The more the merrier, as they say.

Ann: I’m not complaining. It’s just an observation.

Ren: Well, I don’t hate it.

Ren: More manpower means we’ll have an easier time. At least, in theory.

Sumire: Yeah. We might even become powerful enough to take on Eris herself.

Jose: Well, I don’t know if she’ll let us before we figure out who else is using the Metaverse besides us.

Futaba: What’s this person like?

Makoto: Well… There’s a bit of a complication to that.

Futaba: Uh oh.

Makoto: No, she’s really nice.

Makoto: We’ve met her before. She was Hiroki’s friend we met in Hawaii.

Ren: Oh?

Ann: Oh yeah!

Lena: We didn’t talk much, but she was really nice.

Makoto: The problem is, I think Hiroki may be the crusader.

Ryuji: For real?!

Lena: Yikes!

Makoto: We just have to be cautious.

Makoto: All Shujin Thieves, meet up by the vending machines after school, OK?

Makoto: From there, we’ll meet everyone at the usual place.

Ren: Got it.

They put their phones away, and they went on with their day.

After school ended, Ryuji and Lena cautiously turned and looked at Hiroki. They didn’t want to seem too suspicious, but also knew they didn’t have the best poker faces. They were relieved when Hiroki immediately got up and walked out. They gave each other a knowing look and waited a bit before heading to the vending machines.

However, Haru was on her way, when Hiroki stopped her. “Hello there.”

“Ah!” Haru shrieked. “Oh. Hi Hiroki.”

Hiroki pouted. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Right,” Haru replied. She took a deep breath. “So, um, how can I help you?”

Hiroki was confused. “You wanted to finish our conversation from yesterday.”

“Oh. Right,” Haru said. “Um, well, there’s been a change in plans.” Hiroki was intrigued. “Well, um, my father has been getting more frantic as of late, and he wants me to be home as soon as possible.”

Hiroki was more surprised. “He didn’t give you time to work on club activities?”

“Well…” Haru said. She was nervous about lying to Hiroki. But at the same time, Hiroki was acting weird.

Before anything could happen, Makoto interjected. “Excuse me.”

They turned to look at her. “Ah, how are ya doin’, boss?” Hiroki asked.

“I’m fine,” Makoto said. “In fact, I have some urgent business I need to take care of involving your friend here. If you don’t mind, I need to borrow her.”

“Well, we can go together,” Hiroki insisted.

Makoto shook her head. “I can handle this on my own. Besides, don’t you have other things you need to do?”

Hiroki smirked. “As a matter of fact, yes.” He looked at the two girls. “Well, if you’ve got things under control, I’ll believe you. See ya.” Hiroki walked off.

Haru sighed. “Thank you, Niijima!”

“Oh, um, you’re welcome,” Makoto said. “If you don’t mind, you can call me by my first name.”

“Are you sure?” Haru asked.

“Positive,” Makoto said.

“Well then…” Haru said “Um, it’s Makoto, right?”

“That’s right,” Makoto said.

“Thank you, Makoto-chan!”

Makoto was a little shocked, but didn’t hate it. “Well, it’s nothing. Shall we go then?”

“Oh, of course,” Haru said. They headed over to the vending machines. They were the last two to arrive, as Ren, Morgana, Ann, Sumire, Ryuji, and Lena were waiting for them. “Oh!” Haru was surprised.

“Hi,” Ren said.

Haru was still a bit nervous. “So, what are we going to discuss?”

“Not here,” Makoto said. “This was just to organize everyone.”

“C’mon,” Ann said. “We’ll take you to our usual hang out spot.”

Haru wasn’t quite sure, but she was determined to figure out what was going on. She nodded. “Very well then. Let’s go.”

“Well, you heard the lady,” Ren said. They left the vending machine area, and left school all together.

As they were walking, Makoto could tell Haru was nervous. “Don’t worry. We’ll explain everything.”

Haru smoked. “Thank you, Makoto-chan!”

“Makoto…chan?” Ann said.

“Heh, it’s kind of cute,” Ryuji replied.

Makoto was embarrassed. “Yes, well…”

Ren chuckled. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Did…I say something wrong?” Haru asked.

Makoto shook her head. “I’m just not quite used to it is all. But I don’t hate it.” Haru giggled. They continued on.

They arrived at Leblanc, where Jose, Yusuke, and Futaba were waiting for them. “Hello,” Jose greeted upon entry.

“Hi,” Ren said.

“So, she’s the one…” Futaba said.

Haru was thoroughly confused. “Don’t worry,” Ren told her. “We’ll explain everything.”

“Well, to the best of our ability,” Ryuji said. “Honestly, I’m still trying to wrap my mind around some of this.”

“How?!” Morgana shrieked. “You’ve been doing this practically half a year?!”

“Sorry I can’t fully comprehend this all!” Ryuji snapped.

“To be fair, it’s not an everyday occurrence,” Ann said, defending her boyfriend.

“Hmmm,” Morgana groaned. “I guess you’re right… But it should be this hard.”

“Um….” Haru spoke up. “Are you…talking…WITH you cat?”

“Yeah, that’s one of the things that needs to be explained,” Ren said. This did not end Haru’s curiosity. “Please, have a seat.” Haru took a seat at a booth. “Can I get you some food? Or maybe a coffee?”

“I’ll take a coffee,” Haru said.

“Sure thing,” Ren said. “Anyone else want a drink?” Some people said yes, while others said no. “Got it.” Ren fixed some drinks for those who wanted them, including herself.

Once they were served, Haru took a sip of her coffee. “Ah! This is really good.”

“The owner will be glad to hear that,” Ren said. She took a sip of her coffee. “Now, is there anywhere you want to begin?”

Haru thought about it. “Um, do you know why Hiroki seems to be targeting my father?”

“Well, not exactly,” Makoto answered.

“We don’t know why he was motivated to do so,” Ren explained, “but we can explain what’s driving him.”

Haru nodded. “I’ll take that.”

Ren nodded back. “Very well. So, we are fighting a being named Eris. She is a figure that likes to cause trouble. She does this by essentially corrupting people to try and kill other people.”

“I see…” Haru said, disheartened.

“Like we said,” Makoto added, “we don’t know what made Hiroki vulnerable to Eris’s power, but given what you’ve told me, it makes sense that he is.”

“And, he’s targeting my father?” Haru asked.

“Um, yeah,” Ryuji said. “So, um, does that make you Okumura’s daughter?”

“Huh? Oh, yes,” Haru said. She stood up. “Forgive me. I haven’t properly introduced myself.” She bowed. “I am Haru Okumura.”

“I see…” Yusuke said, stunned.

“Holy shit,” Ryuji added.

“Hey!” Ann said. “Don’t be so crass with someone so refined.”

“Oh, it’s quite alright,” Haru said. “Most people who know me as heiress to the Okumura fortune tend to tread on pins and needles. But I much prefer people being candid, so I don’t usually disclose that unless I have to.”

“I see…” Ann said.

Ren smirked. “Well, we should also apologize, as we also haven’t given a proper introduction. I’m Ren, this is Morgana, Ann, Ryuji, Sumire, Jose, Yusuke, you know Makoto, Futaba, and Lena.”

Haru nodded. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“There’s one more part to the introduction,” Ren said. “We are The Phantom Thieves.”

“I see…” Haru said. “Wait, what?!”

“Yeah…” Lena said, awkwardly.

“Are you gonna be alright?” Jose asked.

“I…think I should be fine,” Haru said. “But what does this have to do with this Eris person?”

“Just about everything,” Ren said. “So, let’s continue explaining. I think you get the jist of what we do, right?”

Haru nodded. “You steal people’s desires and make them confess their crimes.”

“Correct,” Ren said. “The way we do this is a little extraordinary. So, there’s a parallel world that is made up of people’s desires and perceptions. When someone’s desire is so distorted, a place called a palace forms. What we do is we go in and steal their desires, which distorts their perception and makes them confess. Are you with me so far?”

“I…think so…” Haru said.

“OK,” Ren nodded. “Anyway, Eris is a being that originated from this parallel world, which we call the metaverse. Eris finds people who have been hurt or threatened in some way by the palace ruler. She uses her powers to corrupt them to take over. We call these people crusaders.”

“So…you’re saying Hiroki-kun is a crusader in my father’s palace?” Haru asked.

“Pretty much,” Futaba answered.

“Again we don’t know what your father did to Hiroki,” Sumire said.

“That’s alright,” Haru said. “I’m sure if we look into it, we can figure it out.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Which leads me to my next point.” She took out her phone. “In order to get to the metaverse, we use this app which was given to us by a figure named Igor. He’s on our side, and he gave it to us in order to stop Eris.”

“Huh,” Haru said.

“I have to say,” Yusuke said, “you seem to be taking this quite well.”

“Well, to be fair, she’s not being plunged into the deep end,” Ann said.

“True, but it is still fantastical,” Makoto said. “It would be hard for anyone to believe at face value.”

“You seemed to take it alright, Makoto-senpai,” Sumire said.

“Well…” Makoto replied. “It’s because it answered some questions I was having. And I suspect the same is happening with you Haru.”

“That is correct,” Haru said. “I was also given this app, and Hiroki acting out of character makes sense now. And, well, I have wanted the Phantom Thieves to steal my father’s heart for quite some time. So it all coming together here is believable, if still a bit odd.”

“I think that’s the best we can hope for,” Jose said.

“So, you having the app means you have the ability to join us,” Ren said. “We do plan on stealing your father’s heart, and stopping Hiroki from carrying out what he’s planning. But doing so will likely unearth some hard truths. So, it’s OK if you want to stay back.”

Haru clenched her fist. “No. I want to help. I’ve been passively wishing my problems would improve, but the opposite has happened. They’ve only gotten worse. And now Hiroki is trying to fight on my behalf while corrupted by some evil figure. I should have done something sooner. But I will do it now!”

Everyone was impressed. “Woah,” Futaba remarked.

Haru was a little embarrassed. “Was that a bit much?”

“I like it,” Jose said.

“Yeah, it matches our passion quite well,” Lena added.

Haru blushed. “Thank you.”

“Oh, and don’t think about Ren’s warning too much,” Sumire said. “She’s just trying to protect you. In reality, she wanted you to say yes.”

Ren blushed. “...You didn’t have to say it out loud.”

Sumire chuckled. “Sorry. I just know you so well at this point.”

“Well, in any case, welcome aboard Haru,” Morgana said, excitedly.

Hair was confused. “Um, is the cat talking to me?”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “Yeah. So, he also originates from the metaverse. He can talk there, and when you’ve been over, you can understand him no matter what world you’re in.”

“I see,” Haru said. She looked at Morgana. “You’re one intriguing cat.”

“Heh,” Morgana laughed. “Hear that? I’m intriguing.”

“Anyone would say that about a talking cat,” Ryuji remarked

“I am NOT a cat!” Morgana snapped.

“You didn’t correct Haru,” Yusuke said.

“Well, she can't hear me yet,” Morgana protested.

Ren smirked. “I think we should change that.” She noticed that Haru was trying to pay attention, but was getting lost only being able to hear a part of it. “Don’t worry about that for now. We need to figure out how to get into your father’s palace.”

“We can’t get in?” Haru wondered.

“Not quite yet,” Makoto said.

“So, this is how the app works:” Ren began, “In order to gain access to a palace, we need to figure out three things: The Palace Ruler, the location of the palace in the real world, and what the distortion is. In this case, we have two of the components; your father, and the Okumura Food Headquarters building. However, we don’t know the last one. And the tricky thing about this is that when there is a crusader, that one is theirs.”

“Hmmmm,” Haru said, processing all of this.

“So, we need to know what Hiroki thinks of Okumura Food, and your father as well,” Futaba said.

“I think you have a pretty good idea what that may be,” Makoto said.

“I do?” Haru wondered. “She began thinking. “Oh! Could it be Apocalypse?”

“Match found,” Ren’s phone said.

“Well, that settles that,” Ren said.

“Woah!” Lena said, stunned. “I don’t know your father too well, but that seems like a lot.”

“Yeah, that’s incredibly charged,” Jose added.

“He certainly doesn’t mince his words, huh,” Sumire said.

“Um, why are we still here?” Ryuji wondered.

“Because, we aren’t at Okumura Foods,” Ann answered.

“Oh, right,” Ryuji replied. “Sorry, I’m so used to just being dragged in.”

Ann giggled. “It’s fine sweetie.”

“Ryuji does have a point though,” Ren said. “We should go and at least take a look.”

“I agree,” Makoto said.

Haru nodded. “Me too. I’ll lead the way.” Everyone who was drinking something finished their drinks, and headed out.

Upon arrival, they noticed that the place was crawling with cops. “Hold up,” Ren said. They looked at them. “This could get tricky.”

“Well, we only need to be here for like a minute, right?” Ryuji said. “We just gotta make sure we aren’t seen.”

“Good point,” Jose said.

“I said it first,” Morgana insisted.

Jose gave him a pet on the head. “Sorry.”

Morgana calmed down. “It’s fine…”

“The coast is clear,” Yusuke said.

“Let’s head in, shall we?” Makoto said. They all nodded and got out their phones.

“Navigating.” They were teleported to the metaverse.

Once they arrived, they were greeted with scorching sand blowing harshly in the wind. “Another desert?!” Ryuji yelled.

“Well, it is a common apocalypse motif,” Futaba said.

As they were trying to keep the sand out of their eyes, Jose noticed something. “Look!” He pointed to a field filled with human-looking robots that seemed to be turned off.

Yusuke turned to the other side. “Over there!” he called. They all turned around. They saw a giant ship rating on the sand. Everyone was in awe.

Futaba focused her goggles. “That’s the palace proper. I can detect the treasure.”

“Well then, let’s head in,” Ren instructed. They headed over to the ship.

As they got closer, they saw the front door being guarded by two shadows. They approached it. “HALT!” one of the shadows said. “WHO GOES THERE?!”

The thieves were on edge, but Haru decided to take a risk. “They’re with me!”

“Oh! Miss Haru,” the shadow said. “Please, go ahead then.”

Haru bowed. “Thank you.” She turned to the thieves. “Come along now.” The thieves were surprised, but decided to let it be. They followed Haru inside.

“I can’t believe that worked,” Ryuji said.

“We don’t usually take the front door, do we,” Sumire pointed out.

“Well, I’m two for two so far,” Lena said.

“I guess it depends on the palace,” Ann said.

“Yeah,” Makoto said. She turned to Haru. “So, those are shadows. We usually have to fight them.”

“Oh,” Haru said.

“But with them being OK with you, we may not have to,” Jose said.

“I doubt we’ll have that luxury for long,” Morgana said.

“Well then, let’s make the most of it,” Ren said. “Let’s go.”

“Um, just a minute,” Haru said. Everyone looked at her. “Why are you wearing those costumes?”

“Oh, right,” Makoto said.

“We didn’t really explain this,” Sumire said.

“It’s what happens when you awaken to your persona,” Morgana explained. “Our outfits are our wills of rebellion.

“Persona?” Haru wondered.

“That’s…” Ann said. “It’s like another you that fights alongside you.”

Haru was still confused. “I think it’ll make more sense if you just get yours,” Ryuji said.

“How do I get one?” Haru wondered.

“Well, uhhhh,” Ryuji responded.

“It has to be at the right moment,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, you can’t force these things,” Makoto said.

“I see…” Haru said.

“Well, in any case, we should get going,” Ren said. “We need to sniff out the area.” She turned to Haru. “You should stay close by, just in case things get hairy.” Haru nodded. They began progressing through the ship. The shadows didn’t pay them any mind, as Haru was with them, but they were still on guard.

Eventually, they got to a door. “So, do we just open it?” Ryuji asked.

He went to open it, when the scanner above the door activated. “Biometric scan commencing.” It scanned Ryuji. It buzzed red, and the sign read “No match.” “I’m sorry, but you cannot progress.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“Let me try,” Haru said. Ryuji shrugged, and left the scanner area.

Haru walked in “Biometric scan commencing.” It scanned Haru. It glowed green, and the sign read “Match.” “You are free to enter.”

Haru giggled. She started walking in. She turned back. “Well? What are you waiting for?”

“She has a point,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded. “Let’s move.” The thieves passed through the door and down the following hallway.

At the end of said hallway, there were two figures. One was a man in a black spacesuit, and the other was a man in a white suit. Haru recognized them both. “Father?”

Okumura glanced over. The thieves tensed up, while Haru was still shook at this version of her father. “Haru?” he wondered. “I had gotten a call you were outside the spaceship. I’m glad to see you’re back inside.”

“Right…” Haru said, concerned.

Okumura looked beyond Haru. “Who are they?”

The thieves didn’t answer. Haru did. “They’re my friends.”

“Friends?” Okumura said. He took another look at them. “They seem like a rather unsightly bunch.”

“Hm,” Haru’s fiance scoffed. “Don’t worry, Mr. Okumura. They won’t be allowed once Haru comes to stay with me.”

“WHAT?!” Futaba yelled.

Makoto looked at her, and she calmed down slightly, but was still mad. “And just who are you?” she asked.

“Hm. If you were really Haru’s friends, you’d know that I’m her fiance.”

“WHAT?!” Makoto yelped.

Ann looked at him. “I don’t like the look of that guy.”

“Well, it doesn’t matter what you think,” Sugimura said. “All that matters is that Haru accepts me. Isn’t that right, darling?”

Haru paused. Okumura nodded. “Go on. Be a good girl, and submit.” The thieves were repulsed.

Haru clenched her fists. “No.”

“What?!” Okumura said.

“I said NO!” Haru repeated. She grew more intense “I hate that horrid man!”

“That’s no way to treat your fiance,” Okumura barked.

“My, I dare say, I might have to back out of our deal,” Sugimura said. “I can’t have a wife who disrespects me. Maybe it’s those ruffians she’s hanging out with.”

“You LITTLE!” Ryuji snapped.

Haru gestured to stop them. “It’s not them! It’s you! It’s always been you!” She pointed at Okumura. He was a little shocked. “Father…what happened? Why are you so cold now?”

“Hm,” Okumura scoffed. “‘Overcome failure at any cost. Even if it means betraying others.” THAT is our family motto. You don’t get anywhere in this world by playing nice. Play to win, or don’t play at all.”

Haru was shocked. “That can’t be right…”

“Hm,” Okumura scoffed. “Perhaps those ruffians did corrupt her.” He turned to Sugimura. “I propose a new deal. I agree you can’t have a wife corrupted by virtuous ideals. So why not take her as your plaything?” Everyone was shocked.

Sugimura smirked. “Heh. I like the sound of that. I don’t need to keep her as pristine.”

A shot rang out. Sugimura was stunned, as blood started dripping from his mouth. He fell forward. Everyone turned to face the gunman. He was holding a shotgun, and had wild orange hair, a pair of goggles, a respirator covering his mouth and nose, a brown scarf and cape that had holes in it, brown gloves, a really toned body, black pants, and black boots. He let out a sigh. “I’m sorry.”

“Hiroki?” Haru wondered.

“THAT’S Hiroki?” Lena wondered.

Hiroki walked over to Sugimura draped on the floor. He kicked it. “As you can tell, my brother doesn’t have as much tact. Or really, anything of value.”

“Brother?!” Yusuke yelped.

“This is getting more complicated,” Sumre said.

Hiroki turned to Okumura. “Although, I guess the same could be said about your father.” He aimed his shotgun at him. He pulled the trigger, but it clicked and didn’t fire. “Huh?” He checked the barrel. “Ah, it’s jammed.” He fiddled with it. “That should do it.” He clicked it back in, and aimed it at Okumura once again. “Now then…” Before he could pull the trigger, Haru rushed in and stood between Hirokiand her father. “What are you doing?!”

“I WON’T LET YOU KILL HIM!” Haru protested.

Hiroki was confused. “Didn’t you hear him?! He said-!”

“I know what he said!” Haru retorted.

Okumura smirked. “Ah, coming back into the fold I see.”

Haru turned to her father. “No!” Okumura was stunned. “Just because I won’t let you die doesn’t mean I will let you treat me like property!”

“Sweetheart,” Okumura said, “everyone is property. If you’re not selling, you’re being sold.”

“You see?” Hiroki said. “There’s no reasoning with him.”

“STOP IT! BOTH OF YOU!” Haru shouted. She turned back to Hiroki. “You want to talk about being unreasonable? Threatening my father with death is beyond unreasonable!” She turned back to her father. “And as for you! You keep doing things only for your own self interest!”

“Of course,” Okumura said. “It’s the only way to live.”

“You see?!” Hiroki shouted. “He’s not a man! He’s a beast that feeds on money and self-gain! There’s no other way!”

“Yes there is!” Haru shouted back. She pointed to everyone else. “You see them? Those are the Phantom Thieves! Starting today, I will fight alongside them. I will change my father’s heart, and I will prove that you can play nice AND play to win! It doesn’t have to be one or the other!”

She paused slightly. “I don’t recognize either of you, and I hate it! I kept hoping something would happen that would help, but now I realize that I need to act. I need to save the people I want to save. I need to change. And I will.”

“I see you finally made up your mind…” A voice in Haru’s head rang out. Haru began struggling. She collapsed to the ground. “...My dear fated princess. Freedom for you must stem from betrayal. If you still yearn for it now…then you must not err.” A mask appeared on Haru’s face. “Tell me, who are you betraying?”

Haru smiled. Hiroki and Okumura were on pins and needles, wondering which of them will be more betrayed. “Isn’t it obvious?” Haru asked. “I’m betraying my old self!”

The voice laughed. “Yes! That conviction!...I am thou, thou art I…let us adorn your departure into freedom with a beautiful betrayal!”

Haru stood up. “Of course.” She grasped the mask and ripped it off, a spatter of blood leaping out of her face. “Milady!”

Haru stood there, wearing a musketeer uniform, with her persona, Milady, above her. Milady’s dress pulled apart revealing a face with a myriad of guns. “Heh,” Morgana chuckled. “I’m impressed.”

Okumura and Hiroki were still facing Haru on either side, both surprised and unsure of what to do. Hiroki made the first move. “Hm. So, you’re working with the Phantom Thieves.”

“That’s right,” Haru said.

Hiroki stared at her, then at Okumura, then back to her. “Well, I did give HIM a date. We’ll try it your way for a bit. But if you can’t do anything by October 11th, then I will.” He ran off.

Haru wanted to chase him, but she heard her father call out “GUARDS! DEAL WITH THESE THIEVES!” Some robots and shadows swarmed the area. The thieves prepared for battle. Haru looked at her father. “Hm. Perhaps if you beg, I’ll forgive you.”

“I don’t need your forgiveness,” Haru countered. “I need your kindness.”

“It appears we’re at an impasse,” Okumura replied. He turned around and walked off. “Take her out as well. If I can’t deal with you, you’re worthless to me.” Haru was shocked, but not surprised. She noticed the thieves battling it out, and decided to join in the fight.

Before she could, Sugimura started to morph. He stood back up and became a robot, similar to the robots that were attacking them. He had a hole in his chest, but that didn’t stop him. “Well well. Why don’t we have some FUN?!”

“WHAT THE HELL?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“What’s going on?!” Futaba yelped.

“Ugh, creeps like him never know what to give up,” Ann said.

“It’s OK,” Ren said. “With our new team member, we can win this for sure.” She looked at Haru and nodded.

Haru nodded back. “Let’s do this!”

“YEAH!” they cheered. While the number of shadows and robots were many, with every Phantom Thief giving it their all, they were nothing.

Once they were finished, Haru wiped her brow and said “Whew! That was exhilarating.”

“Talk about an understatement,” Yusuke said.

“I’ll say,” Jose said. “You really gave it to them.”

“Thank you,” Haru said. She began to fall over, but she stopped herself.

“Woah! Careful now!” Makoto cautioned.

“Yeah, you get really exhausted after awakening to a persona,” Morgana pointed out.

Haru managed to catch her breath. “Thanks. You’re one helpful kitty, you know that?”

Morgana sighed. “I’ll only tell you this once: I am NOT a cat.”

“That’s a lie,” Ryuji said. Morgana glared at him. Ryuji smiled. “You’ll keep bringing up the fact you’re not a cat until the end of time.”

Morgana smirked. “I’ve gotta say, you surprised me with that one. Well done.” He chuckled.

“You’re…not a cat?” Haru wondered. “Then what are you?”

“I’m a being from this world made to look like a cat,” Morgana explained.

“I see,” Haru said. “So, should I just call you Morgana?” Everyone was a little shocked. “Um, did I do something?”

“No,” Makoto said.

“I can’t believe we forgot,” Lena said.

“It’s one of the most fun parts too,” Ann said.

Haru was still confused. “Forgot about what?”

“Whenever we’re in the metaverse, we use codenames,” Sumire said.

“Yeah,” Jose said. “Saying our names out loud in what’s basically somebody’s heart might give us away. Which would be a problem, since we’re thieves.”

“I see,” Haru said.

“So, I’m Joker, that’s Mona, Panther, Skull, Sunshine, Violet, Fox, Queen, Oracle, and Cupid.”

“Oh,” Haru said. “How delightful.”

“Do you have a codename in mind?” Yusuke asked.

Haru pondered it. “Noir.”

“Hm,” Makoto said, impressed. “I like it. It has a sense of elegance to it, while still being rebellious.” Haru chuckled.

Sumire looked around. “I think this is as far as we’re going today,” she said.

“Yeah,” Ren said. She smiled. “But we got a lot done.” She smiled at Haru. Haru smiled back. “Let’s head back.” They went back to the real world.

Once there, Makoto said “Now Haru, there’s still some things to discuss. Is that OK?”

“Haru checked the time. “Oh uh, maybe not now. Because of what happened, my father imposed a curfew of 7, so I need to get back. WAIT! Will he remember what happened?”

“Nope!” Morgana said. “A person doesn’t remember what happens in their palace.”

Haru sighed. “Thank goodness.”

“Well, we should meet up tomorrow,” Ren said. “Do you think you can make your way back to that cafe?”

“I think so,” Haru said.

Ren nodded. “Great. Let’s meet there after school.”

Haru nodded. “Let’s.”

“Oh, and Haru?” Ren said. Haru was curious. Ren outstretched her arm. “Welcome to the team.”

Haru smiled. She shook Ren’s hand. “Thank you for taking me on.” Once they finished, Haru let go, and rushed off for home. She waved at everyone. “See you tomorrow!” Ren and the others waved back. Feeling similarly exhausted, and it being late in the day, they decided to go home as well. They had a new member, and their new goal was awaiting them, and they were eager to go for it.

Notes:

A part of me thinks that maybe I should have plit the two days into individual chapters. But it also feels like grouping them together makes sense, even though it's a LONG chapter. It's almost as long as the Madarame's Palace chapter, which does not bode well for how long this palace will take. But sometimes length can work in a story.

I wasn't sure at first exactly how I wanted to take the changes to the Okumura arc in terms of how they get there, and about halfway through I was about to scrap it and start anew. But I read it over again up to that point, and I was happier with it. And then once we got into the stuff with Haru meeting and joining the Thieves, I loved it. I feel like I captured the spirit of it while adding my own twist. Which to be fair, is the aim of the story at large, but I feel really good about it here.

After next chapter, which will be a more thorough evaluation of the facts, we'll be getting back into Confidants as their own chapters. But maybe that will change as well, since I'm inviting more plot into the story. I'm sure there will still be pure confidant chapters, but I'll also be mixing in some story elements from time to time. I have some interesting ideas, and I hope you like them. I also hope you enjoy this chapter.

Chapter 141: Spirited Discussion

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Sae arrived at Okumura Foods and headed straight for Mr. Okumura’s office. “Hello again, Mr. Okumura,” Sae said.

Okumura looked up. “Hello there…Miss Niijima?”

“That is correct,” Sae said.

Okumura sighed, and slightly growled. Sae knew he was quietly looking down on her because she wasn’t married, but like most things, she didn’t show that it bothered her. “I assume you’re back to conduct your investigation.”

“That is correct,” Sae said. “In order to figure out who could have done this, we will need to get access to your systems to see how and when this person accessed them themselves. Plus, we’re going to need to go over your recent transactions.”

“My transactions?!” Okumura asked, incensed.

“Well, whoever’s threatening you has to have a motive to do so,” Sae explained. “If you perhaps made a deal to deprive one of your competitors of a good opportunity… Well, we just want to see if we can narrow down a potential suspect list.”

“Pah! Good luck with that,” Okumura said.

“You don’t think it will help?” Sae wondered.

“Let’s just say you don’t become one of the richest companies in the world without making some enemies,” Okumura stated.

“I see,” Sae said. “Well, we still need to check. You want this over as soon as possible, right?”

Okumura glared at her. “Correct.”

“Well then, we need to pursue this to the best of our ability,” Sae said. “And that requires full cooperation on your part.”

“Very well,” Okumura huffed. “Just…get it done.”

Sae smirked. “Thank you.” She turned and left his office to begin her investigation.

Meanwhile, Haru walked into Leblanc. She noticed that everyone else was already there. “Oh! Am I late?”

“Eh, we don’t have a strict schedule,” Ryuji said.

“We asked you to come over after school, and you did,” Ren said. “So you’re right on time.”

“Whew!” Haru sighed.

“Although you did tell us you had a curfew,” Yusuke said.

“I’m sure she's capable of managing that,” Ann remarked.

“She wouldn’t have been asked to act as a chaperone on our trip if she wasn’t,” Makoto said.

“Well…” Yusuke said. “I’m just saying…”

“Hm hm hm,” Haru giggled. “It’s alright. We’re here to lay out the facts today, right?”

“Heh,” Morgana chuckled. “You seem to pick up things pretty fast.”

Haru nodded. “And I have to say, it’s nice to be able to understand you, Mona-chan!”

Morgana was a bit embarrassed. “Errr, right,” he said.

Ren chuckled. “Well since you’re here, let’s get this rollin’. You want something to eat this time?”

“I know I do!” Futaba said.

“Well, the coffee was really good,” Haru said. “So I’ll try some of the signature food here. Which if I read the sign correctly was curry?”

“That’s correct,” Ren said.

“And let me tell you, it’s second to none,” Futaba added.

Haru giggled. “My, you’re quite enthusiastic.”

“She should be,” Sumire said. “Her dad owns this place.”

Haru was shocked. “What?!”

Ren nodded. “And I live here.”

“WHAT?!” Haru said, even more confused.

Ren chuckled. “We’ll get to that.”

“Yeah, there’s a lot going on behind the scenes,” Jose said.

“I joined just recently, and I’m still trying to keep up,” Lena said.

“Well, this will be a good refresher then,” Makoto said.

“But first thing’s first:” Ren said,“Curry time!” She began to make enough curry for everyone. Once she finished, she called out “Order up!” She handed everyone their plates, as well as some drinks for everyone.

Haru took a bite. Her face lit up. “MMMMMMMMMMM!” she said. “This is delicious!”

Ren smiled. “I knew you’d like it.”

“Of course she does!” Futaba said. “It’s Sojiro’s curry.”

Haru seemed puzzled. “You call you father by his first name?”

“Yeah, we’ll get to that too,” Ren said.

“I…see…” Haru said. “Forgive me. It seems I was rude.”

“Nah, you just didn’t know,” Futaba said. “It’s fine.”

“Why thank you, Futaba-chan,” Haru said. Futaba slightly blushed. They went on eating.

“So, where do you think we should start?” Ryuji asked.

“For now, I think we should give Haru a basic overview of what’s going on exactly,” Ren said.

“I think I know…” Haru said.

“Well…” Ren replied, “you know a good chunk. But there is more.”

“Oh,” Haru said.

“Although, going over what you know could prove useful,” Jose said.

“I agree,” Makoto said. “So Haru, why don’t you tell us what you know so far?”

Haru nodded. “Right. So, if I’m getting this right, there’s a parallel world that is based on perception called the metaverse. If a person’s view is too distorted, a palace forms. And to change their heart, we need to steal their treasure.”

“Very astute,” Morgana said.

“Um, but what happens when a person’s view isn’t too distorted?” Haru asked.

“Good question,” Yusuke said. “Aside from the palaces of the individuals whose view is distorted, there’s one other palace in the city.”

“Oh?” Haru wondered.

“This place is called Mementos,” Jose said. “And it’s where we go to change the hearts of people who don’t have palaces of their own.”

“Furthermore, we believe Eris’ base of operation is at the bottom,” Ann said.

“And Eris is the person who corrupts people to go after those with palaces, right?” Haru asked.

“Correct,” Morgana said.

“So, why not take the fight to her?” Haru wondered.

“Well, it’s complicated,” Sumire said. “For starters, Mementos is locked with a series of doors that we can only open by ingraining ourselves into the public consciousness.”

“And how do we do that?” Haru asked.

Ren smirked. “We make headlines as The Phantom Thieves.”

“Oh! Interesting,” Haru said. “So, if the people think of The Phantom Thieves as these powerful figures, we can gain more access, right?”

“Basically,” Ryuji said. “That’s how I see it anyway.” Morgana rolled his eyes.

“But besides that,” Lena interjected, “Eris is too powerful for us to take on right now.”

“What do you mean?” Haru asked.

Makoto sighed. “It’s just as she said. As much as we’re taking down these disgusting people and stopping Eris and the people she corrupts from killing people, we’re playing into her hands. She doesn’t really care if her crusaders win in the end or not, because she just wants to spread chaos, and we do it just as efficiently.”

“She says she’ll fight us when we’re powerful enough,” Sumire explained, “but we have no idea when that is.”

“And that’s just it,” Ren said. “She’s just stringing along, and there’s nothing we can do about it.”

“Well, we could not change hearts,” Morgana said. “But we aren’t going to do that.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji said. “As much as I hate how Eris is toying with us, I hate the status quo just as much. It looks down on people like us with no regard for the shit we have to deal with.”

Haru frowned. “I think I get what you mean. I mean, I don’t think I have the same experience, since I was born in the lap of luxury, but…for quite some time now, I think my father views me as little more than a pawn to get what he wants. When I’ve expressed interest in helping out with the business, he brushes me off. And one time, I overheard him lamenting how if he had a boy, he could teach him to take over the business.”

“Haru…” Makoto lamented.

“That’s so cruel,” Lena said.

“Oh, but I don’t mean to detract from everyone else,” Haru said. “Like I said, I don’t have much to complain about.”

“Bullshit,” Ryuji said. “You’re a person, just like anyone else. You deserve to be seen and heard.”

“Well…I guess you’re right,” Haru said.

“I think you knew that,” Ann said. “You awoke to your persona after all.”

“True,” Haru said. “I guess I just need to work on things.”

“Well, that’s always a good thing to know,” Yusuke said.

“So, I think you have a basic understanding of what we’ve told you so far,” Ren said. “Plus a little extra things. But there’s another layer to what’s going on.”

“There is?” Haru wondered.

Ren nodded. “Those mental shutdowns.”

“They are related to you?” Haru inquired.

“Kind of…” Morgana said.

“What he means is,” Ren elaborated, “that the people doing that are using the metaverse to do so.”

“But how?” Haru asked.

“Well, we don’t know exactly how…” Yusuke said.

“But we have a general idea,” Jose said.

“Go on,” Haru invited.

Futaba shook a little, but decided to open herself some more. “They stole my mom’s research. And killed her!” Haru gasped.

Ren nodded. “Futaba’s mom was working on understanding the metaverse when she was killed, and the information she had gathered was stolen.”

“Sojiro took me in aftewrard,” Futaba explained. “He’s not my father, but he is my dad.”

“I see...” Haru replied.

Ren continued “Now that information is being used by someone to do as they please.” She looked at Haru intently. “And we think your father may be that person.” Haru gasped. “Or at least closely associated.”

Haru averted her gaze. “Um, I know my father isn’t exactly benevolent…but may I ask how you came to this conclusion?”

“Well…” Makoto said. “My sister works as a prosecutor. She’s working the two cases. I…managed to get access to her laptop, and according to her investigation, a lot of people who were targeted were, um, let’s say, in opposition to your father.”

“I see…” Haru said, dejected. “To be honest, I sort of had a feeling about that for a bit. When I asked him, he simply said ‘sometimes others’ misfortunes are our fortunes’, and left it at that.”

“Wow,” Ryuji said. “That’s ICE COLD!”

“I agree,” Sumire said, tears swelling up. “I can’t imagine someone being OK with that.”

Haru looked at her. “Are…you feeling alright?”

Sumire sniffed. “Oh, sorry.” She dried her eyes. “I’m fine. Well…mostly. Um, my sister died earlier this year. So, I have a hard time when talking about death. So, seeing someone treat it as just a means to an end is…”

Haru watched Sumire as she was explaining this. She placed a hand on her shoulder. Sumire looked back at her. “I’m sorry for your loss,” Haru said. 

Sumire smiled. “Thanks…”

Haru let go. She turned to Futaba. “You too Futaba. I’m sorry about your mother.”

Futaba looked down. “Thanks…”

Haru nodded. She turned back to Ren. “So, um, you said he may have had the information stolen. But he might not be?”

Ren nodded. “That’s right. We don’t know for sure it’s him, but we have enough information linking him with it.”

“Plus the fact that he has a palace is concerning in itself,” Morgana said.

Ren nodded again. “There is something we need to ask you about. Do you know if your father knew Principal Kobayakawa?”

Haru was surprised. “Principal Kobyakawa?” she asked.

“Yeah…” Ren said. “So, before we left for Hawaii, Principal Kobayakawa…found us in Mementos.” Haru was curious.

“We’re not entirely sure either,” Ann said.

“We think it has something to do with what’s been going on,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah, he mentioned somethin’ ‘bout serving someone who’ll change the world,” Ryuji said.

“He came down to fight us,” Jose said. “So we fought back.”

Haru was shocked. Did…Did you kill him?”

“No!” Sumire vehemently denied. “We wouldn’t do that!”

“Oh. Right. My apologies,” Haru said.

“Well, it is a fair question,” Jose said.

“Yeah, I don’t blame you one bit for asking,” Lena said. “But no, we didn’t.”

“Although what did happen was unusual to say the least,” Futaba said.

“See, once we beat him, he gave us a treasure,” Makoto said. “He promised he’d have a change of heart. But then…”

“I see,” Haru said. “So, you think he was silenced?”

“Correct,” Yusuke said.

“And you want to know if my father had close ties with him?” They all nodded. “Well…I can’t quite be sure…My father knows a lot of people. And whether or not someone is close with him, or if it’s purely transactional is hard to say.”

“Figures,” Ryuji sighed. “I guess we weren’t going to be so lucky.”

“Well, Haru called me entirely out of the blue,” Makoto said. “If she hadn’t, we may still be searching for who would be targeting her dad with little success. If that’s not lucky, then I’m not sure what is.”

“I guess that’s true…” Futaba said.

“Well, we’ll know one way or another once we make it through the palace and steal his treasure,” Yusuke remarked.

“Which reminds me,” Sumire said, “we usually take this time to review our targets as well.”

“That is correct,” Ren said. She turned to Haru. “So, what else can you tell us about your dad?”

“Ummm, to be honest, I don’t know how much help I’ll be,” Haru remarked.

“Anything will help,” Ann said.

Haru was still a little unsure. “Well…he wasn’t always like this.”

“Do you know when he changed?” Jose asked.

“I’m…not sure…” Haru answered. “It felt more like a slow process that eventually snowballed out of control. He used to be so kind and caring. Now he feels cold and distant.”

“I’ll say,” Ryuji said. “That ship was ice cold, even though right outside was a desert. And it’s  staffed with robots and shit. I get the feeling he’s not much of a people person.”

“Well, he knows a lot of people,” Haru explained, “but again, he views pretty much all of his interactions as transactional. Which leads to some less than savory people keeping him company.”

“Such as your fiance?” Sumire asked. Haru nodded. “Figures.”

“Didn’t Hiroki say that that guy was his brother?” Lena asked. “That was weird.”

“If I had to guess,” Yusuke said “I’d say that the reason he became your father’s crusader is rooted in that.”

“I think you may be right,” Makoto said. “He hasn’t been shy in saying that his brother is a jerk.”

“He’s told me that too,” Haru said. “Although I had no idea that that man was him.”

“Well, he did say he doesn’t like telling people his last name,” Ren said. “You were the same until now, right?”

Haru nodded. “That’s part of the reason we bonded. We both knew the burdens of being from affluent families. So, if people didn’t know our last names, people might treat us like…well…people.”

“But how did he find out?” Lena wondered.

“Maybe something happened at his house that revealed that information?” Jose said.

“That’s the most logical answer,” Makotosaid.

“Well, whatever the reason, he’s a crusader now,” Ryuji said. “Which means we need to stop him.”

Ren smirked. “Couldn’t have said it better myself.”

“And we stop him by stealing my father’s treasure?” Haru asked.

“Well, it gets a little more complicated,” Ann said. “But yeah.”

“He’s not going down without a fight,” Jose said. “Both your father and Hiroki.”

“But we don’t have to go in right away, do we?” Lena said. “Like last time?”

“I was wondering that too,” Sumire said.

“Hm hm,” Morgana chuckled. “That is correct. Hiroki said he was going to do something on October 11th, which gives us plenty of time.”

“Still, the sooner the better,” Yusuke said. “But it couldn’t hurt to come fully prepared.”

“Are you OK to come with us?” Ren asked. “With your curfew and all?”

“I think I should be,” Haru said. “Although, the 11th is intriguing.”

“How come?” Jose asked.

“Um, that’s the date I’m supposed to move in with my fiance,” Hair said.

The others were shocked. “You don’t think that was deliberate, do you?” Ryuji wondered.

“I’d say it definitely was,” Futaba said.

“If it’s tied to him figuring out Haru was arranged to marry his brother,” Makoto surmised, “I’d say it has to be one of the primary reasons at least.”

“Hmmmm,” Haru sighed.

Ren grasped her hand “Hey.” Haru looked up. “We’ll make sure to sort this all out.”

Haru nodded, determined. “Right. I didn’t do all of this for nothing!”

“That’s the spirit!” Morgana said.

“I think that’s just about everything, right?” Ann said.

“We still have some time,” Lena said. “Wanna just hang out some more before Haru has to leave for her curfew?”

Haru giggled. “Sounds wonderful.”

“Great!” Rn said. They started eating more intently.

“Oh!” Haru said. “Um, I have one more question.”

“Shoot,” Ren said.

“Is there any, um,” Haru began, “how do I put this delicately? Is there anything I should know about you specifically?”

“Oh!” Ren said. “I did say I’d explain it. I’m on probation right now for a crime I didn’t commit.”

“Oh my!” Haru said, shocked.

Ren nodded. “That’s why I live here. Futaba’s dad agreed to chaperone me while I’m on probation.”

“So, where do you live normally?” Haru asked.

“Eh, just some small town,” Ren said. “I moved out here because it’s one of those places where word spreads quickly, and I’m already not the most popular person there.”

“I see,” Haru said.

“We are going to try and see if we can fix this,” Ann said, “but…”

“Saving the world from this Eris person takes precedence,” Ren finished.

“Well…” Sumire said. “I’ve tried to look into it, but I don’t know where to begin.”

Ren was puzzled. “Really?” Sumire nodded. “Well, uhhhhhh… God. If I say ‘you don’t need to’, you’d say ‘I insist’, and then… I guess what I’m saying is thanks.”

Sumire giggled. “You’re welcome.”

Haru giggled herself. “Well, thanks for telling me all that,” Haru said, “but I meant more in terms of if, well, if you’re all just friends, or is there anything else going on between you.”

“Oh!” Ren and Sumire said, both getting embarrassed.

“Well, um…” Sumire said.

“We’re kind of …” Ren went on.

“...Dating…” they both finished.

“...If that’s what you meant…” Sumire continued awkwardly

Haru chuckled again. “I did kind of get that vibe from the two of you. I just wanted to be sure.” Ren and Sumire sighed.

“Well, if you’re asking that,” Ann said, “Ryuji and I are going out as well.”

“Wait…” Haru said. Ann and Ryuji were confused. “Sorry. It’s just, you say that like it’s new information.”

“Well, it’s somewhat recent,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah, I only asked him out over the summer,” Ann explained.

“WHAT?!” Haru said, shocked. This reaction spooked Ann and Ryuji. “So, you didn’t come to this school already going out?”

“...No?” Ann said.

“Eep!” Haru said, her face going red. She bowed to the best of her ability. “Forgive me.”

“Well…we are really close,” Ryuji said. “I guess it’s not that hard to imagine.”

“Plus, you’ve been pining for each other for as long as I’ve known you,” Ren snarked. This embarrassed Ann and Ryuji thoroughly. Ren snickered. “Sorry.”

Ann calmed down. “Well, I mean, it’s true, right? Eh heh.” She was still embarrassed, but it didn’t feel so bad. Her smile calmed Ryuji down as well.

Jose looked at Haru. “It seems you have the ability to see who’s dating and who’s not.”

“Well, it’s more a feeling really,” Haru replied.

“Well, just so you don’t get anything wrong,” Yusuke said, “Makoto and I are pretending to date to help one of her friends.”

“Oh?” Haru said. She sighed, relieved.

“And what was that for?” Yusuke asked.

Haru tensed up. “No reason…” she said.

“Aww, c’mon!” Futaba chimed in. “You can’t just do that and expect us not to wonder.”

“Yes, I would like to inquire further as well,” Yusuke said.

“Well…ummmm….you see….” Haru stuttered as she was being looked at intently. “I had thought…for a brief moment…that maybe the two of you…”

“WHAT?!” Yusuke and Futaba shrieked together.

“Really?!” Futaba said.

“I have to agree,” Yusuke said.

“It might just be a miscalculation on my part,” Haru admitted. “This isn’t really a science.”

“Well, I guess that’s true…”Yusuke said.

“Yeah…” Futaba said. “If science got involved, it’d say me and Inari are a non-starter.” Ren was about to chime in on how this scene played out very similarly between Ann and Ryuji one time, but Sumire caught on and silently told her not to. Ren, realizing her girlfriend was right in that it would cause a mess, decided to keep that card to her chest.

Lena chucked. “Well, I’m not going out with anyone in the Phantom Thieves. But it might be easier if I was.”

Haru was curious. “What do you mean?”

“I’m, uh, going out with Goro…Akechi…” Lena admitted.

Haru gasped. “The detective?!” Lena nodded. “Hm hm,” Haru chuckled. “How intriguing. I didn’t imagine he’d be the type.”

“I dunno. He has lots of adoring fans,” Ryuji said.

“Just because you have fans, doesn’t mean you want to date all of them,” Jose said. “I mean, look at what happened with Yusuke at the Fireworks Festival.”

Ryuji looked over Yusuke once more. “Well, when you’re right, you're right,” he admitted.

“I think that’s it in terms of relationships,” Morgana said. “Why don’t we just enjoy the food and company for now?”

Haru noticed the slight pain in Morgana’s voice. She reached out and gave him a pet. “I’d like that.” Morgana started purring. They went on, eating, drinking, and talking about some little things.

Meanwhile, Hiroki was at his computer feverishly typing away. He smirked. “Well, if you want to fish, you gotta cast a big net, “ he remarked. He stretched, and got ready for bed.

Notes:

The die is cast, and the mission to raid Okumura's Palace has begun truly. Which means that we're going back into Confidant stuff for a bit, plus some extra story stuff, since I've decided to get into more of that as well. Like I've said, figuring out the balance between the two is going to be somewhat tricky, but hopefully it'll be woth it. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 142: Unity

Chapter Text

The next day at breakfast, Ren’s phone went off. She checked it.

Futaba: According to the news, some employees of Okumura Foods are starting to strike.

Ryuji: For real?!

Makoto: I thought you weren’t much for news.

Futaba: I did a quick search of Okumura to see if anything came up that could help us.

Makoto: I see.

Haru: I heard my father complaining this morning, but he wouldn’t tell me what it was about.

Jose: Sounds like this is it.

Ryuji: Do you think Hiroki did this?

Lena: I’m not sure how.

Ann: Ryuji may be right.

Ann: Shiho managed to convince a lot of the student body to try and burn the school down while under Eris’ influence.

Ann: I wouldn’t be surprised if something similar was happening here.

Yusuke: Strictly speaking, this is only meant to wind up Okumura.

Yusuke: I’m not sure if it makes much of a difference to us.

Sumire: Well, where are they striking?

Sumire: Because we may have to be more vigilant than usual if they’re at the Okumura Foods HQ.

Yusuke: Good point.

Ren: I’m sure we can manage it.

Ren: We disappeared in an entire subsection of the city before.

Ren: But I guess if all eyes are going to be on Okumura Foods, we should be careful.

Futaba: Maybe we can wait a bit longer than we usually do.

Futaba: Wait till it builds up a bit.

Makoto: That’s not actually a bad idea

Haru: I don’t mind either, so long as we do this before Hiroki’s steed deadline.

Ren: We will. Trust us.

Haru: Of course.

Haru: I’m just worried is all.

Ann: I get it.

Ann: I felt the same when it was Shiho.

Yusuke: As did I with Kosuke.

Makoto: So did I with Naoko.

Haru: Well… Weirdly, that cheered me up.

Ann: It did?

Haru: Yes.

Haru: All of those times before, you were worried, but you persevered anyway.

Haru: I imagine something similar will occur here, which puts my mind at ease.

Ann: I see.

Sumire: You sure have a mature sense of grace. I like that.

Haru: Why thank you, Sumi-chan!

Sumire: Eh heh.

Ren: Well, it looks like things are good for now.

Ren: Talk to you soon.

Ren started to put her phone away, when she got another message. This time though, it wasn’t from the group chat.

Futaba: Um?

Futaba: Can you come over today?

Futaba: I’d like to talk with you.

Ren: Sure thing.

Futaba: Thanks.

Ren managed to put her phone away before any other messages came through. She finished breakfast, and then headed over to Futaba’s place.

Once there, she knocked on the door. Futaba opened the door nervously. She peered her head out just enough for her and Ren to make eye contact. “Come in,” she said. It would look a little eerie to the random passerby, but there weren’t too many of those on a Sunday in Yongen-Jaya. Ren smiled and walked in.

Futaba guided her to her room. She crouched in her chair, while Ren sat on the bed. “So, what did you want to talk about?” Ren asked.

Futaba fidgeted around nervously for a bit. “Well…you know how I want to get better at, well, being in public?” Ren nodded. “I’ve been thinking about it, but…I’m not entirely sure how. And then I began thinking that maybe I don’t need to. I mean, I can get meals delivered to me and stuff, right? Plus, online courses are better for studying, right? And I’m good with you guys, so whenever we go out, you’ll be there.”

Ren was listening intently to Futaba meander about. “I see… Well, if that’s your prerogative…”

Futaba was shocked. “Yo-You’re not going to stop me?!”

“Well, I don’t want to do anything you don’t want to do,” Ren replied.

Futaba pouted. “Buh. You got me.”

Ren chuckled. “I kind of figured.”

“I’m just so lost,” Futaba said. “I’m not sure what to do.”

Ren thought about it for a moment. “Well…did you do anything before…the incident?”

“Mmmmm,” Futaba answered. “Kind of. I was still a bit anti-social. People always thought I was kind of weird. But I will admit, it was easier before now.” Futaba realized something. “Oh yeah. I forgot until now, but there was something that helped me, if only slightly.”

“And what might that be?” Ren inquired.

“Mom made me a Promise List,” Futaba replied. “I know it sounds silly…”

Ren rolled her eyes. “We wage war in a parallel dimension full of monsters and demons. I doubt anything you tell me here would be so silly.”

“Hm,” Futaba huffed. “I guess you’re right… So, this Promise List…Well, there were multiple. They were a list of things mom would want me to do. And whenever I completed a list, she’d give me a reward of some kind.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“It was just things I had trouble doing,” Futaba continued. She chuckled slightly while looking somber. “It started when I was cutting school on non-test days.” Ren was a little surprised. “I was good at learning but not well-liked by my peers. So I figured I could study on my own, come in to take the tests, and just avoid people altogether. But when I was found out, the school and mom were mad at me.

Mom promised to do something about it. She sat me down, and we talked about what was going on. She was so understanding. But she insisted that I went to school. We argued back and forth, but she promised to take me to a movie I wanted to see if I went to school. That eventually led to the Promise List.”

“Hm,” Ren responded. “Your mom was one smart cookie.”

Futaba smiled. “...Yeah.”

“So, do you want to try a new Promise List?” Ren asked.

Futaba was a little startled. “Um…yeah.”

“Great,” Ren answered. “So, just give me some time, and-”

“WAIT!” Futaba called out. “Um…if it’s all the same, I kind of want to make this one.”

“Really?” Ren said.

Futaba nodded. “The only reason my mom made them is because they were things she wanted me to do. I want to make this list to fill it with things I want to do. I want to show the world that I’m ready!”

Ren nodded back. “Well, how can I say no to that?”

Futaba smiled. She then realized something. “Oh! I’m going to need some time to make one though.”

“That’s fine,” Ren replied.

Futaba chuckled. “Oh, by the way, how did you know to call my bluff?”

“Well…” Ren began answering, “I wasn’t the most popular person in school either. And when I started to realize that I liked girls, that only compounded. There was a time I tried convincing myself I was straight…but that only made the problem worse.”

Futaba was a little surprised. “Huh.”

Ren smiled. “I got some help from my sister, and I know how much that helped me. So I want to pass it on.”

Futaba nodded. “Well then… I can assume that means you’ll help me out with my new Promise List?”

Ren nodded. “Of course.”

Futaba nodded. “Thanks.”

Hermit-Futaba Sakura: Rank 2

“Well, I have to come up with the list first,” Futaba explained. “I’ll think of some things, and I’ll message you when I think it’s ready.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ren said.

“But I don’t need to do it right away,” Futaba said. “So, if you’d like to stay a little longer…”

Ren giggled. “It’s my pleasure.” The two of them hung out a little while longer.

Later, Ren received a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: Are you available tonight?

Ren: I should be.

Yoshida: Splendid!

Ren: You seem excited.

Yoshida: Well, something interesting happened.

Ren: Oh?

Yoshida: I’ll explain once you get here.

Ren: Very well.

She put her phone away, and went to meet up with Yoshida.

Once she got there, she was surprised. “Wow. That’s a big crowd.”

“Are you worried?” Yoshida asked, half serious, half teasing her.

“Not really,” Ren replied. “I’m just wondering what brought this on.”

“Hm hm,” Yoshida chuckled. “It appears that someone anonymously leaked to the press that the funds I supposedly embezzled were actually embezzled by Mr. Kuramoto himself.”

Ren was surprised. “Did you know he did that? Mr. Kuramoto, I mean?”

“Well, I had my suspicions,” Yoshida explained. “But I lacked any proof, and it would be my word against his.”

“I know that that feels,” Ren remarked.

Yoshida chuckled. “Forgive me for laughing at your tragedy.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “After all, tragedy plus time equals comedy.”

“Too true,” Yoshida said.

“So, I take it this crowd wants to hear what you have to say on the matter,” Ren said.

“Seems like it,” Yoshida said. “But I’m going to be taking things in a slightly different direction. Are you ready?”

“As I’ll ever be,” Ren said.

“Great! We’re on in five,” Yoshida instructed. Ren looked at the sign. “Tonight’s Topic: Togetherness.”

Ren stood with the sign, while Yoshida approached his microphone. The chatter that was happening in the crowd came to a halt. They were waiting with baited breath, ready to hear what Yoshida had to say about this development. Yoshida cleared his throat.

“People of Tokyo! I have nothing to say about the development regarding Mr. Kuramoto.” The crowd was shocked and began murmuring again. “While I am grateful that this mistake has been corrected, I’ve made plenty of other mistakes on my own as well. Even now, I am still learning.

Which brings me to tonight’s topic. For too long, I tried to rehabilitate my image on my own. Needless to say, I did not get very far. It wasn’t until I started receiving help that I felt I was truly earning your trust back.

I talk about how I will fight for you, but my words were ringing hollow because I was alone. If you were to trust me as your elected Dietman, I should be able to trust you to bring me the things most important to you. Because that’s what government is supposed to be.

I was a fool. For too long, I was only thinking about myself. And as such, I will pay the price of not being able to see through all the changes I wish to make. But if we work together, we can begin making the changes that are desperately needed. I offer to you my word, if you offer to me your conviction. Together, there’s no telling what we can accomplish.”

The crowd began cheering. Ren smiled. It wasn’t quite what they were expecting, but it was Yoshida through and through.

After the speech, Yoshida and Ren met up. “Well, what did you think?”

Ren giggled. “It was excellent.”

“Hm,” another laugh rang out. They turned to see Dietman Matsushita. “I’d still say you’re a fool. I gave you this opportunity to try and help set the record straight, and this is what you do with it.”

“So this WAS your doing,” Yoshida said. “Well, to be honest, I can’t deny what you said. Only a fool would want to be a politician.”

Matsushita chuckled. “Too true, old friend. But only a really good one will admit it.” There was a brief pause. “Aren’t you going to ask me the other reason I’m here?”

Yoshida crossed his arms. “Well, I had a feeling, but I’ve already gotten your goat on that a lot recently, so I figured I’d let you have this as a way of saying thank you.”

“You’re too kind,” Matsushita said. He got serious. “I’ve heard mumblings that Mr. Kuramoto is going to step down and not run this election.”

Yoshida was shocked. “Really?!”

Matsushita nodded. “His grandson is expected to do the same. And without the two of them, their party is expected to collapse. Some of the others have joined other parties, while some are trying to uphold the Kuramoto cause.”

“I see…” Yoshida said. 

“There’s something else,” Matsushita said. Yoshida was intrigued. “I’ve talked with some of the heads of my party, and they're willing to give you a shot.”

Yoshida was even more shocked. “You mean it?”

Matsushita nodded. “If you manage to win this one, we’ll offer you a place in our coalition. I haven't heard any confirmation yet, but there has even been talks about not running a candidate here just so you'd have a better shot at winning.”

“Well that’s great,” Yoshida said. “Thank you. You’v really been too kind to me.”

“Heh,” Matsushita laughed. “What can I say? I’m just a fool.” He walked off.

Yoshida smiled. “That Matsushita has a good head on his shoulders.”

“No kidding,” Ren replied. “Although, it seemed to need adjusting before now.”

“Well, don’t we all,” Yoshida said.

“I guess that’s true,” Ren said.

“By the way,” Yoshida said, “thanks for always being there to lend a hand.”

Ren nodded. “Well, it’s because I believed in your words, even if you didn’t believe in them yourself.”

“Well,” Yoshida retorted, “I did believe them, but I didn't understand the full weight of them. It's thanks to you that all of that changed. I went from a politician who was struggling to one who was confident enough to admit their mistakes and rally a crowd of people to their fullest. Why, it’s almost like…”

Ren noticed Yoshida trailed off. “Like what?” she asked.

“Ah! It’s nothing,” Yoshida answered. “Thanks again.”

Ren smiled. “You’re welcome.”

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 9

“So, before this night ends,” Yoshida suggested, “why don’t we go grab some beef bowls?”

Ren nodded. “I’d like that.” The two of them headed to the beef bowl place to eat. Once they finished, they headed home for the evening.

Chapter 143: The Winds of Change

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up a little late into the morning. It was fine, since she didn’t have school for Respect for the Aged Day. She needed the extra sleep as well. Between the Mementos trip, the field trip to Hawaii, and figuring out what was going on with Okumura, it was a lot. She noticed Morgana was still asleep, and decided to let him sleep more, and go downstairs to get some breakfast.

Sojiro looked as she was coming downstairs. “I know you have today off, but it would be rather surprising if I had a customer in and they saw you coming downstairs.”

“You could always text me,” Ren replied.

Sojiro looked at her. He sighed. “I guess I could. It’s easier and convenient. But there’s a thrill to being a little more secretive, you know?”

Ren chuckled. “You don’t have to tell me.”

Sojiro smirked. “Hm. Right.” Sojiro fixed Ren a breakfast.

As Ren was eating, she checked her phone. The protests against Okumura Foods grew from yesterday. She knew that with this mounting pressure, Okumura would be extremely alert. She needed to take the opportunity to prepare herself and her allies, and check in on a few things as well.

Her first trip of the day was to the office of Dr. Takemi. She wanted to see how she was doing after they had changed  Oyamada’s heart. “Hey there,” Ren greeted.

“Hey,” Takemi responded, despondent.

Ren was not sure what to think. “Um… How’s it going?”

Takemi sighed. “As well as it could be…”

“O…K…?” Ren said, not expecting this reaction.

“I mean, I’m glad Oyamada hasn’t shut this place down yet, but…” Takemi continued. She sighed. “...it’s only a matter of time.”

Ren was surprised. I guess she hadn’t heard yet. But do I tell her? “Uhhhhhh….”

Before she could, another person barged in.”Oh, hello,” Takemi said. “How can I help you?”

“Hey doc!” the person said cavalierly. “Did you hear about Oyamada?!”

Takemi was shocked. “What did he do this time?” she asked, concerned.

“Heh heh,” the person said. He slapped down a newspaper. “He confessed.” Takemi was surprised. “He said his heart was changed by the Phantom Thieves, and told everyone the malpractice was all his doing and that he shifted the blame on you.”

“The Phantom Thieves? Are you serious?” Takemi asked.

The guy nodded. “As sure as sure can be.”

Takemi picked up the paper and read through it. “He…he really did it…” She frowned. “But Miwa…”

Ren decided that, even if she may be overplaying her hand, Takemi needed to know. “Hey,” she said intently. Takemi looked up. “Miwa’s alive.”

Takemi’s eyes widened. “How can you be so sure?”

“Oyamada was trying to get in your head,” Ren continued. “He wanted you to fold like a house of cards. He was afraid of you, so he fought back.”

Takemi was trying to process the information. The other person wondered aloud “Is…Miwa the victim of the malpractice?”

“Huh?” Takemi said. “Oh, yeah.”

He grinned. “Well, later in the article, it mentions that Oamada added that that person was still alive.”

Takemi glanced further into the article. “It’s true…It’s all true…”

“So,” Ren asked, “What are you waiting for?”

Takemi smiled. “You’re right.” She looked at the man who barged in here. “Did you need anything?”

“Nah,” he said. “You’ve just been so helpful to everyone here that I wanted to tell you about this.”

Takemi nodded. “Well thank you.”

The man smiled. “No problem. Keep up the good work!” He left.

“You know him?” Ren asked.

“He came in with an ear infection a little while back,” Takemi replied.

“I see,” Ren said.

“Well,” Takemi said. She stood up and clapped her hands. “Let’s get started.” Ren nodded and met with Takemi in her office. Takemi was fishing through her notes. “Here we go.” She began preparing a sample. She offered it to Ren. “No time to waste.”

Ren was a little taken aback by Takemi’s hurriedness, but she understood why. After taking a second to orient herself, she grabbed the sample and ingested it. She was out like a light.

Once she came to, Takemi was there to greet her. “So, how are you feeling?”

Maybe it was the exhausting month she was having, or maybe the medicine was working as intended, but she said “Honestly? Refreshed.”

“Hm,” Takemi smiled. “Well, let’s just run some tests to be sure.” She gave Ren a once over. Once she finished, she began writing down her data.

As she was doing this, Ren watched over her. “So, how are you doing?”

“Hm?” Takemi responded, looking back at Ren while still jotting things down.

“About Oyamada, I mean,” Ren continued.

“Hm,” Takemi said. “To be honest, I’m just glad Miwa is alive. Like you said he was trying to get into my head.” She continued writing. “Although I suppose that he was pretty good at that. When this whole incident started, he did a good job driving me off and dragging my name through the mud. For a while, I did really feel like I’d be alone forever.”

She smiled. “But with persistent people like you coming to help me, I found myself growing stronger. In a way, if Oyamada was the virus, you’re the antidote.” Ren laughed nervously about how true that statement really was. “I guess that’s why he escalated to such an extreme. Medicine and germ warfare is constantly evolving. The same can be said about any two opposing forces. But I’m glad this ended before anyone had to die.”

“Me too,” Ren said.

Takemi put her pen down “OK. I think this is it. But I need to have this reviewed before it can be implemented.”

“I think it’ll work,” Ren said. “You’re pretty smart.”

Takemi chuckled. “As flattering as that is, I want to be absolutely sure this works. Besides, there’s that saying ‘the only thing I know is that I know nothing’. It’s a bit of a paradox, but being able to understand your limits and knowing when you need others is important. Oyamada was always a little too full of himself, but I also let him toy with me for far too long. So we’re both kind of idiots.” Takemi chuckled.

Ren checkled back. “Well, I’m glad you’re finally getting this done. As another saying goes, ‘better late than never’.”

Takemi laughed. “Too true.” She smiled. “Thanks for being my ‘late’.”

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 8

“You’re free to leave now,” Takemi said. “A lot of what comes next is very clinical. Interesting for those who know, but a tedious mess for those who don’t.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks. But before I go, can I make some purchases?”

“Of course,” Takemi replied. Ren bought some supplies, and headed out.

That evening, she decided to check on Iwai as well. When she walked into Untouchable, Iwai had a grin on his face. “Ah! Impeccable timing kid!” he said. “I just got off the phone with Tsuda. He said he got visited by The Phantom Thieves. He said he had one of those changes of heart, and called off everything!”

Ren smiled. “Well that’s good news!”

“I’ll say!” Iwai said. “That’s a load off my shoulders.” He sighed. “You know, when he surprised us with the gun, I thought I’d truly lost him. And then it was my duty to protect what remained of my family.”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

Iwai sighed. “I know I shouldn’t have brought you into this, but a part of me felt like it was the right thing to do.”

“I…can’t say I don’t get the impetus…” Ren said. “But it was a lot…”

“Yeah,” Iwai agreed. “Sorry.” He paused for a moment. “But despite how drastic Tsuda was being, he did kind of have a point.”

“He did?” Ren asked.

Iwai nodded. “I’ve been out of the game for a while. As traditional as the mob can be, it’d be ludicrous to believe that it doesn’t change at all. I was expecting my old brother to show up, but he didn’t.

Although change itself isn’t so bad. I mean, after taking in Kaoru and opening up this shop, I think I can say my life got better. I think it just needs to be filtered through something.” He paused again. “You know, me leaving was a pretty big change for him too. I think I was so caught up in what I was doing that I may have neglected how he was, you know?” He sighed.

Ren responded “Maybe you can talk about that.” Iwai looked up. “I mean, I know when I talked things through with my family, things got better. I mean, I can’t guarantee anything, but…”

Iwai smiled. “Heh. I getcha. I think I will try and reach out to Tsuda. I mean, he already pointed a gun at my face, how much worse can things get?” Ren chuckled sort of nervously, but she did see the humor of the situation. “But he’s not the only one I need to talk to.”

Ren looked at him. “...Kaoru?”

Iwai nodded. “Yeah. This whole thing spiraled out of control because I wasn’t honest. I was expecting things to be as they were. But it can’t be. I mean, Hell, I’ve watched Kaoru grow before my very eyes. And yet here I am still treating him like that innocent kid that was left at my feet.”

Ren smiled. “I’m sure it’ll work out.”

“I hope you’re right,” Iwai said. “I couldn’t bear the thought of Kaoru not liking me.”

“I don’t think that’ll happen,” Ren said.

“It might if I continue lying,” Iwai said.

“Well, good thing you’re done with that, right?” Ren offered.

“Hm,” Iwai chuckled. “I guess.”

“See? Nothing to worry about,” Ren replied.

“I guess you’re right,” Iwai said. “Thanks.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 8

“Well, with that all settled,” Ren said, “I was hoping to procure some new supplies.”

Iwai smiled. “Knock yourself out. As it so happens, I have a surplus at the moment, so I’m having a bit of a sale.” Ren chuckled. She bought her supplies and went back to Leblanc for the night.

As she was laying in bed for the night, she sighed. She sat up, and picked up her phone.

Ren: Hey Sasa.

Ren: I know it’s late, but I wanna ask you something.

Sasa: Shoot.

Ren: You said you’d help me when it came to mom and dad, right?

Sasa: They know you’re a lesbian now. What more do you need to tell them?

Ren: …

Ren: That I don’t want to come back.

Sasa: Oh.

Ren: I mean, I love them, and I love you, and you guys coming up this summer was amazing.

Ren: But as I’m spending more time here, I feel like I belong here. Like this is my home. And I don’t want that to go away.

Sasa: I see…

Sasa: Well, I mean, I get wanting to move away. I’ve done it after all.

Ren: Yeah…

Sasa: I’m sure they’ll understand.

Sasa: But in case they don’t, I’ll be there to help them understand.

Ren: Thanks sis.

Sasa: No problem.

Ren; Goodnight.

Sasa: Goodnight.

Ren put her phone back down. She smiled, and fell asleep.

Notes:

A bit of short chapter, but I think it's wonderful. As you may have noticed, I confirmed that I started rolling the ball on the timeframe for the Okumura Palace mission earlier than in the game. I think it makes sense, even if it's a little serendipitous. I'm also starting to say out loud that Ren wants to stay. And again, it's one of those things where having a bigger focus on the narrative gives rise to moments like this. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 144: What's Left in the Wake

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ren headed to school. On the train there, she overheard conversations about the strike at Okumura Foods. A part of her wondered if this would wind Okumura up too tightly. However, she figured that the more wound up he was, the more likely he’d give out secrets once they stole his treasure. Sure, it would be difficult, but she trusted her allies, and just as important, herself.

After school, Mishima was looking throughout the school. Eventually, he found Makoto. “Oh Niijima-senpai!” He rushed over to her.

Makoto was a little surprised. “Oh. Hey Mishima.”

Mishima glanced around to make sure they weren’t being watched. “So, remember what you had me look into?” Makoto nodded. “Well, I found some results.”

“Oh?” Makoto wondered. “Anything interesting.

Mishima nodded. He took out the photo. “So, this one,” he points to the more muscular man  in the photo, “is a, um, let’s say a specialist in treating like-minded men to a good time.”

“Oh!” Makoto exclaimed. “I see…”

“He was actually kind of easy to find,” Mishima said. “But man, finding him did a number on my targeted ads. I had to cleanse my computer three times…” He recomposed himself. “But the really interesting thing is the other guy.” He pointed to a skinnier man with black hair. “His name is Atsuo Arai, and he used to be a teacher at Shujin.”

“WHAT?!” Makoto shrieked.

Mishima panicked a little. “Shhhhhhh! Not so loud.”

“Right…” Makoto said, settling down. “Sorry. That’s just…a lot.”

“Yeah…” Mishima agreed. “But wait, there’s more. About eleven years ago, he and Kobayakawa were up for the position of Principal.”

“Wwwwwwwwwwwww,” Makoto started, but was trying to keep her voice down. “Whaaaaaaaaaa?!”

Mishima nodded. “From what I found, Mr. Arai was a shoe-in, but he dropped out at the last minute for reasons unknown.”

Makoto was shaken. She was silently piecing together the information. “I see… So Principal Kobayakawa must have used this to blackmail him into not taking the position.”

“Seems likely…” Mishima agreed.

Makoto looked at Mishima. “Do you know where Mr. Arai is now?”

Mishima nodded. “He’s a teacher over at Kanshu Academy.”

“Kanshu, huh,” Makoto said. She sighed. “Thanks Mishima.”

“Are…you going to try and contact him?” Mishima asked.

“Probably…” Makoto said.

“So, what then?” Mishima continued.

“Well, it depends on how things go,” Makoto informed him. “I might need you again, so we should exchange numbers.”

“Heh,” Mishima said. “Sounds like a plan.” They exchanged numbers as they said they would. “Well then, see you later.”

“Seeya,” Makoto replied. Mishima walked off. Once Mishima was far enough away, she decided to make a phone call.

Pretty soon, the other person picked up. “Hello?”

“Hey Akechi…”

“Ah, Niijima-san,” Akechi responded. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Makoto sighed silently. “Can you do me a favor?”

“Certainly,” Akechi answered.

“Do you know a teacher named Mr. Arai?”

“Of course,” Akechi said. “He’s my homeroom teacher.”

“Can…I meet with him?” Makoto asked.

Akechi didn’t respond for a second. “What is this about?”

“It’s complicated,” Makoto asked. “But I’ve been conducting an investigation of my own, and it led to him. I had heard he teaches at Kanshu, and since I know you…”

“Of course,” Akechi replied. “I should have some free time tomorrow. We can meet him then.”

“What about his schedule?” Makoto asked.

“Oh, he’s open to visitors whenever,” Akechi assured her. “I’ll message you if something comes up, but between the two of us, I’m probably more busy.”

“I could meet him by myself,” Makoto offered.

“True, but it’d be a little weird,” Akechi pointed out. “We go to separate schools after all.”

“Yeah,” Makoto relented.

“It’ll be fine,” Akechi said. “See you tomorrow then?”

“Yeah,” Makoto confirmed. “Seeya.” She hung up. Her fist tightened. She wasn’t sure what was going to happen, but she was determined to follow through.

Meanwhile, Ren had messaged Jose.

Ren: Hey, did Cho’s dad’s change of heart go through?

Ren: I meant to ask earlier, but we’ve been busy.

Jose: Right.

Jose: Well, you’ll be glad to know that Cho is back in school, and everything seems to be working out.

Ren: I am glad to know that.

Jose: Why don’t you come over?

Ren: Now?

Jose: Sure.

Jose: I’d like to talk, and I’m sure they wouldn’t mind seeing you.

Ren: Well alright then.

Ren: I’m on my way.

Jose: Great! Seeya!

Ren left for Kosei.

Once she arrived, she met up with Jose. “Oh hey,” Jose said, noticing her.

“Hey,” Ren replied. “What is it you wanted to talk about?”

“Well…” Jose began.

He was interrupted by the sounds of Cho and Tama walking up to them. “Oh. Hello,” Cho greeted.

“Hi,” Ren greeted back. “Um, if you don’t mind me asking, how are things?” “Well, as you may know, things went a little poorly after telling my dad…” Cho said.

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“But he came around,” Cho said. “We’ve talked to both of our parents, and things are going OK.”

“It’s slow going…” Tama informed them. “But we’ve moved past the worst of it.”

“That’s always nice,” Jose said

“Yeah…” Tama said. “Listen, I have to apologize.”

“For what?” Jose asked.

“For yelling at you,” Tama said. “I know you were just trying to help. But I was just so frustrated…” He sighed.

Jose looked up at him. “It’s OK.”

“No…” Tama said. “I was a real jerk. I’m sorry.”

“I forgive you,” Jose said.

Tama looked at him a little puzzled. “Heh. You’re one strange kid, you know that, right?”

“C’mon,” Cho said, nudging her boyfriend. “We’re all a little off-kilter. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be going to Kosei.”

“Hm,” Tama chuckled. “True.” He turned back to Jose. “But I gotta ask, you weren’t shaken at all?”

“Well…I was…” Jose admitted. “But I think it’s better to bury the hatchet, rather than sharpen it further.”

Tama chuckled. “You have a point. I mean, our families didn’t do that for like 100 years or so, and look how that turned out.”

“Right,” Jose said.

“Well, now that we’re all friends again,” Cho said, “as much as we’d like to stay and chat, we actually have a date.”

“Our first one in public,” Tama said. “As us.”

“Well that sounds lovely,” Jose said. “Have a good time.”

“Thanks,” Tama said.

“Seeya!” Cho said.

“Bye!” Ren waved. The two of them walked off. Ren turned back to Jose. “Was this what you wanted to talk about?”

“Well, kind of…” Jose said. “Whenever we change someone’s heart, they apologize. But how far does an apology go?”

Ren seemed puzzled. “I…guess it depends.”

“Because,” Jose went on, “we talk about how unforgivable some people are. But why can’t we forgive them like I forgave Tama there?”

“Do you want to?” Ren asked.

“Well….not really…” Jose answered. “But I’m not sure why.”

“Well,” Ren began explaining, “at least part of it is that not all actions are equal.”

“Huh…” Jose said.

“Like, the bad people with palaces have done a lot of really terrible things,” Ren went on. “Compared to them, Tama yelling at us doesn’t come even remotely close.”

“Hmmm,” Jose said, processing the answer. “So, how do we know what to forgive?”

“That’s complicated,” Ren said. “The answer is not the same for everyone. I mean, there are some generally accepted things, like killing people is wrong. But when it comes to things, there’s a whole spectrum of things some people will forgive while others won’t.”

“I see…” Jose said.

Ren smiled. “I do like your willingness to forgive.”

“You do?” Jose said

Ren nodded. “A lot of people lose at least some of that after a while. I mean, a part of me feels like I’ve lost some of that. But I think it’s important. Otherwise, it becomes harder to find people to trust.”

“So…when it comes to forgiving people…?” Jose asked.

“Just…trust your heart,” Ren said.

Jose nodded. “Got it.”

Aeon-Jose: Rank 8

“As long as we’re here,” Jose said, “my heart is telling me we should grab a bite to eat.”

“I think that’s more your stomach,” Ren replied. “But I’m not saying no.” The two of them went to get something to eat together.

Later that evening, Makoto messaged the group.

Makoto: I’ve figured out why Kobayakawa had those photos.

Haru: What photos?

Sumire: I guess we didn’t explain that part.

Ren: When Principal Kobayakawa came after us in Mementos, we changed his heart and took his treasure.

Ren: His treasure manifested itself as a series of photographs that, to put it mildly, seemed odd.

Haru: How so?

Yusuke: It was pictures of two men making out.

Haru: Oh! Do you think he was…

Makoto: No.

Makoto: He threatened two boys earlier.

Makoto: Besides, I told you I figured it out.

Ann: So, what’s the reason?

Makoto: About 11 years ago, he and one of the men in those photos were up for the job of principal.

Makoto: The other guy was set to win, but at the last minute dropped out.

Makoto: I think Principal Kobayakawa was using those photos to blackmail him.

Ryuji: Holy shit!

Lena: How horrible!

Futaba: So, he wanted power, and used a dirty trick to get it. Pathetic.

Jose: Um, do you think the person he was aligned with got him those photos?

Makoto: I hadn’t thought of that.

Yusuke: I am curious about how he got the photos in the first place.

Ryuji: I think Jose may be right.

Ryuji: I mean, he came down to Memenots because of this guy.

Ryuji: He had to have some kind of power over Kobayakawa.

Makoto: That sounds likely.

Makoto: He was really pushy about finding The Phantom Thieves as well, probably for those same reasons.

Lena: So, he gets help to secure his position as principal, and then he does whatever this other guy wants?

Lena: It sounds like a lot for little gain on Kobayakawa’s part.

Ann: I may have agreed if it wasn’t for Kamoshida having free reign.

Ann: As the principal, Kobayakawa was basically in charge of the school. He tailored the school and its curriculum to his liking.

Yusuke: When you consider the number of students he preceded over, his influence was immense.

Sumire: Plus, Shujin is a fairly prestigious school. That carries a lot of weight on its own.

Lena: Well, when you put it like that…

Ren: So, what are you going to do about it?

Makoto: I’m going to talk with the guy in the photo.

Makoto I’m going to ask if he still wants to be principal.

Ryuji: For real?!

Makoto: I mean, I don’t think he’s on the side of the people who blackmailed him.

Yusuke: That may be so…

Makoto: I have to try. For my fellow students.

Ren: Alright then.

Futaba: While we’re here, how are things going with your father, Haru.

Haru: Oh, well, whenever he sees me, he pretends everything is fine.

Haru: However, when I’m spying on him, he’s incredibly stressed out.

Ren: Well, soon enough, his entire facade is going to crumble.

Haru: Right!

Jose: Hey Haru, once this is over, do you think you’d be able to forgive your father for all he’s done?

Ann: Where’s this coming from?

Ren: He’s been thinking about it all day

Jose: It’s true.

Haru: Well…I’m not sure.

Haru: Compared to everyone else, the things he’s done to me are more…mild.

Haru: But it doesn’t change the fact that they still hurt.

Haru: But it is difficult.

Haru: I think I’ll have my answer when we change his heart and I can see the man he once was again.

Jose: I see.

Jose: Well, I look forward to that day.

Haru: As do I.

The thieves put their phones away.

Ren decided she needed to do some more catching up. She picked up the Pay Phone in Leblanc and called the maid service where Kaakami moonlighted to see how she was doing.

When she got a hold of Kawakami, she said “Oh! Well, I’m glad you called. I have some excellent news!I’ll be over in a minute.”

Kawakami arrived soon after. She curtsied. “Good evening master!”

Ren was impressed that Kawakami didn’t break. “You seem cheery.”

“Well, I’m on cloud nine,” Kawakami explained.

“Wanna talk about it over dinner?” Ren asked.

“Of course!” Kawakami said. Ren was about to go cook, but Kawakami interjected and said “Wait! Let me do it for you, Master!” Ren shrugged and let Kawakami cook for the evening. Once she finished, she presented the plates and cups, and said “Here you go!” She took her seat across from Ren.

They began eating. “So, what has you so cheery?” Ren asked.

“Well,” Kawakami said with a smile, “the Takases have decided to cancel my payments.”

Ren smiled back. “That’s amazing!”

Kawakami giggled. She gazed into her coffee. “You know, when you said you’d ask The Phantom Thieves to help me, I wasn’t sure they’d actually help.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

“Because,” Kawakami answered, “I was an associate of Kamoshida.”

“You weren’t involved in anything he did though, right?” Ren asked.

“Yeah,” Kawakami said. “But The Phantom Thieves might not have known that.”

“Hey,” Ren commanded. Kawakami looked up at her. “What Kamoshida did wasn’t your fault. And what happened with Takase was also not your fault. I admire how much you want to help others, but it can’t be at the expense of yourself.”

Kawakami was shocked, and then a little embarrassed. “I…guess you’re right. It’s just difficult, you know? When you try your hardest, and bad things still happen, what do you do?”

“You do the best you can,” Ren instructed. She took a sip of her coffee. “I don’t think I told you why I got arrested.”

Kawakami was stunned. “What does that have to do with anything?”

“You’ll see,” Ren said. “One night in my hometown, I saw a man trying to force a woman into his car. I tried to intervene, but the man fell over. He convinced the police and coerced the woman into saying that I had assaulted him. And, well, you know the rest.”

Kawakami stared at her. “Well…I don’t know what to say to that…”

“My point is that sometimes you need to make the best of a bad situation,” Ren told her. “After I got arrested and came out here, I can say that my life has taken an upswing. Would I rather I didn’t get arrested? Of course. But I’m doing what I can to make the most of it, and that includes helping you.”

Kawakami smiled. “I see…” She laughed a little. “As much as it is a teacher’s job to teach the students, it can be said that the students will teach the teachers just as much. Although I don’t think I’ve received a lesson this directly.” Ren giggled.

Kawakami went on. “I get what you mean. Sometimes I need to let go of things that are beyond my control and do what I can to help others.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said.

Kawakami nodded. “Thank you for helping me understand that. Even if it was in the most roundabout way.”

“Well, sometimes the direct approach isn’t always the best,” Ren said.

“True,” Kawakami said. “Thanks for sticking with me though.”

“No problem.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 8

“By the way,” Kawakami said. “I’ve been thinking of a way to help some of the people affected by Kamoshida.”

Ren was a little shocked. “You know it’s not your fault, right? We just went over this.”

“I know,” Kawakami said. “But even though I wasn’t the problem, I figure I can at least be a solution. I’ve been absent from my student’s lives for so long that I want to find a way to help them.”

Ren smiled. “Well that sounds lovely.”

“However, I’m a little worried that everyone might not be as forgiving as you,” Kawakami explained. “So, would you mind meeting me after school tomorrow to, well, assist me a little?”

Ren nodded. “Of course.”

Kawakami sighed. “Thank you. I don’t know what I’d do without you. My heart would have pounded out of my chest.”

“I’m sure things will be fine,” Ren assured her. “Even if it’s met with resistance, you at least tried.”

“Right…” Kawakami said. They finished their meal, and Kawakami left for the night. Ren went to bed soon after.

Notes:

I feel like this is the first primarily confidant chapter to weave in a plot thread this big. I could be wrong (almost 150 chapters and over two years of writing is a lot to keep track of), but I think that this turned out alright. So, we know why Kobayakawa had those photos, and what Makoto's plans are going forward.

Also, here's a fun fact: The reason I named the school Akechi goes to Kanshu is because Shujin is a play on the Japanese word for "prisoner" reflecting Ren's status. Meanwhile, Kanshu is a word that in Japanese can mean something along the lines of "jailor", "keeper", "warden", or "overseer", which I think reflects on Akechi's status as not only a symbol of the law, but also as Ren's rival.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 145: Taking a Stand

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day after school, Ren met up with Kawakami in the teacher’s office. “Oh, hey,” Kawakami said.

“Are you ready?” Ren asked.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Kawakami said.

“What are you planning anyway?” Ren asked.

“You’ll see, Kawakami replied. She made her way to the announcement microphone, and Ren followed her. She turned it out and said “Will any available previous members of the volleyball team please report to the teacher’s office? Thank you.”

Ren was surprised. “Are you sure about this?”

“I believe so,” Kawakami said. Ren nodded, aiming to give her confidence.

Pretty soon, Shiho and some of the other members of the volleyball team had gathered in the teacher’s office and met up with Kawakami and Ren. “What’s this about?” Shiho asked.

“Well…” Kawakami began. She turned to Ren. Ren gave a thumbs up, which assured Kawakami a little. She turned back to the volleyball team. “As you are well aware of, due to recent events the volleyball team was disbanded.” The team members were a little shaken. “However, I wish to rectify that.” The team members were confused.

Kawakami continued. “I have asked you here today to offer my services as a replacement coach for the team. You may not know this, but I was on my school’s volleyball team when I was your age.” The members began murmuring among themselves. “Of course, I don’t have the same level of experience as the previous coach, but I also don’t have anything else the previous coach had.”

The members were intrigued. Kawakami continued further. “I understand if you say no to this. As a staff member, I was close with Kamoshida. But I wasn’t aware of the scope or scale of his…vile nature. But I should have made more of an effort to uncover the truth. However, what’s done is done, and I wish to look forward. And hopefully, with your permission, we can move forward together.”

The volleyball team was on a roller-coaster of emotion. They were offered a chance to regain what they had lost. But at the same time, they had lost it in, to put it mildly, less than ideal circumstances. Kawakami promised she wasn’t going to be a repeat of Kamoshida, but it was hard for them to trust anyone, and Kawakami knew that as well.

The volleyball team whispered among themselves. Kawakami was nervous. She looked at Ren again, and Ren smiled and gave her two thumbs up. Kawakami smiled back. She turned back to the other students.

Once the volleyball team members were done discussing things, Shiho emerged from the group and told Kawakami “I…think we need some more time to think this over…”

Kawakami was stunned a little bit, but she nodded, and said “I understand.” The volleyball team left the teacher’s office. Once they did, Kawakami flopped in her chair and sighed.

“Hey,” Ren said. Kawakami looked up. “I’m really proud of you.”

Kawakami smiled nervously. “Thanks.” She frowned. “I hope I got through to them.”

“I’m sure you did,” Ren said.

“I hope you’re right,” Kawakami replied. She turned back to her desk. “But we’ll see.” She began working.

Ren understood Kawakmi’s plight. She knew she had to keep helping out. She bowed to her and said “Thank you, Miss Kawakami.”

Kawakami looked at her, bemused.She smiled and said "Thank you too.” Ren smiled, nodded, and walked off.

As she was leaving, she took out her phone.

Ren: Wanna talk?

Shiho: Yeah.

Shiho: I was wondering what you were doing with Miss Kawakami.

Ren: It’s a complicated story.

Shiho: I see…

Shiho: Can we meet at Big Bang Burger? I’m kind of hungry

Ren: Sure.

Ren was actually a little unsure, what with what’s been happening with Okumura, but it could also be a good cover.

Shiho: Great! See you soon.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and headed over.

She met Shiho at a booth at the Big Bang Burger. “Hey,” Shiho greeted.

“Hi,” Ren replied. She sat down. “Just curious, but why here?”

Shiho sighed. “Well, I figured it’d be emptier, due to the protests.”

“Ah,” Ren said.

“But it looks about the same,” Shiho said.

“Yeah…” Ren admitted.

“But still…” Shiho said. “We should get down to brass tacks.” Ren nodded. “Do you…trust Miss Kawakami?” Ren nodded again. “I see…”

“Do you not?” Ren asked.

Shiho averted her gaze. “Well… It’s not that I don’t trust her, specifically. It’s just…hard to trust anyone.”

“I get that,” Ren said. “Especially when they’re so tied up with…well…”

“Yeah,” Shiho replied. “But you say you trust her?”

“Yeah,” Ren said.

“Would you mind telling me why?” Shiho asked. “I don’t mean to be so distrustful of you, or her even, but…”

“Hmmm,” Ren responded. “Well, I don’t think I can get into specifics, but generally speaking, I learned something about Kawakami that she wanted to keep secret. And through talking about that and getting to know her, I came to trust her. I believe her when she says she won’t be a repeat of Kamoshida because she was just as deceived by him as most other people were.

She was also lost in her own problems. She likes helping people, but she overextended herself, and because of that she was taken advantage of by people who only liked helping themselves. Not wanting to drag others with her, she bore the brunt of it on her own. At least, until I came into the picture.”

Shiho was stunned. “Huh.” She started chuckling. “I see. You know, it’s funny. Kamoshida tried convincing me that things have to be one way or another. That there are absolutes. That I had to obey him, or risk losing my position on the team.

While I realized that was not true, I didn’t know how much of an impact he left on me. I had thought that any of the teachers here who allowed that were still on his side. That it was us against them. That I still had to defend myself. But I trust your judge of character. If you say she’s good, I’ll believe you.”

Ren nodded. “She’ll be glad to hear that.”

Shiho smiled. “I was so focused on my own problems that the thought didn’t even occur to me that my fellow students weren’t the only ones being fooled by Kamoshida. It feels so obvious when you’re so deep in his world. But not everyone was.”

“I get it,” Ren said. “When I was arrested, it felt like no one would listen to me. But then I made friends with Ann, and she listened to me.”

Shiho giggled. “Ann’s really good at that.” Shiho sighed. “I feel like a huge weight was lifted off of me just now. Both realizing how much Kamoshida was still weighing me down, and figuring out how to undo some of that.” “I don’t imagine a scar like Kamoshida will heal completely…” Ren lamented.

“Yeah,” Shiho said. “But the answer is to try and push forward as best you can. That’s always been the answer. I guess I was a little stuck.” The two girls giggled. “I’ll try to get everyone else onboard.”

“You think it’ll work?” Ren asked.

“I’m not 100% sure,” Shiho answered, “but right now it’s our best shot if we want to bring the team back. We have to be willing to trust again.”

“Well, just as you trust me, I trust you,” Ren said.

“Thank you,” Shiho said.

Hope: Shiho Suzui: Rank 7

“Well, as long as we’re here, you wanna order something?” Shiho asked.

Ren was still a little uneasy knowing that Okumura was still at the helm. On the other hand, she knew he was going to get his just desserts soon enough. “You know what? Sure.” They placed their orders and had a meal.

Meanwhile, Makoto arrived at Kanshu Academy. “Ah! Makoto-san!” Akechi called out. He walked toward her. “Perfect timing.”

“Thanks for helping me with this,” Makoto said.

“No problem,” Akechi said. “She we head in?” Makoto nodded, and the two of them headed inside.

Akechi guided her to the teacher’s office. There, he led her to a man. He looked like the man in the photos, but a bit older. Instead of pure black hair, his hair was more salt-and-pepper, had he had some bags under his eyes. “Are you Mr. Arai?” Makoto asked.

He nodded. “That is correct. You must be Makoto Niijima. Akechi-kun informed me you wanted to speak with me.”

“That’s true, but,” Makoto said, “is there a more private place we can talk?”

“Hm?” Akechi questioned. “Why the privacy?”

“It’s quite alright,” Mr. Arai said. “I’m not sure if you know this, but when a Niijima is determined, you don’t stand in their way.”

“Believe me, I’m more than familiar with the concept,” Akechi said nervously.

“You…know my sister?” Makoto said.

“Of course,” Mr. Arai said. “I taught her back when she went to Shujin.”

“Right…” Makoto said.

Mr. Arai stood up. “I know just the place. Follow me.” Mr. Arai led the two of them to a conference room that was not being used. The three of them sat down. “I take it you’re here for a very important reason.”

Makoto nodded. “As you may be aware, our Principal recently passed away.”

Mr. Arai tensed up a little, but remained calm. “Yes, I am aware.”

“Well, I’m the student council president,” Makoto continued, “and he and I didn’t seen eye-to-eye. He wanted me to be a vessel to enforce his rule, as opposed to me being a voice for my fellow students. So while he tasked me to do something, I began looking into him as well. And my investigation led to you.” She glanced at Akechi. “Do you mind Akechi knowing a secret about you?”

“Oh my,” Akechi said. “This is really serious, huh.”

Mr. Arai looked at Akechi. “You’re able to keep a secret, right?”

“Of course,” Akechi said.

Makoto nodded. “Thank you.” She turned back to Mr. Arai. “I’m sorry.” She took out the photos and placed them on the table. Mr. Arai and Akechi looked at them, and both of them were shocked, but for different reasons.

“I found these photos,” Makoto said. “I had someone look into them, and he told me that you and Kobayakawa were up for the principal job eleven years ago. You were a shoe-in, but you dropped out at the last minute. Based on this, I assume he blackmailed you. Is this correct?”

“It is…” Mr. Arai said.

“Oh my!” Akechi exclaimed.

“I’d be worried,” Mr. Arai said, “if you didn’t make it clear that you and Kobaya-coward weren’t playing for the same team. So why are you telling me this?”

“Well,” Makoto said, “as you know, we’ve had quite a turbulent year so far. And at the root of it was Principal Kobayakawa. We’re both not fans of him. And since there’s an opening, perhaps Shujin could use a principal that was nothing like the previous guy.”

“Are you asking me to put my hat in the ring again?” Mr. Arai asked.

“That’s right,” Makoto said.

“And if I refuse?” Mr. Arai asked.

“That’s fine,” Makoto said. “I just wanted an attempt to make things right.”

Mr. Arai smiled. “I see.” He turned to Akechi. “What do you think, Akechi?”

“Me?” Akechi said. “Well, this is certainly a lot to take in all at once.”

“Would you miss me if I wasn’t teaching here anymore?” Mr. Arai asked.

“Well, I do love having you as a teacher,” Akechi said, “but I’m also in my third year. I’d be leaving soon anyway.”

Mr. Arai chuckled. “I suppose that's true of you too, right Niijima?”

“That’s right,” Makoto said.

“So, even if I were to get the position, you wouldn’t be seeing me for long,” Mr. Arai iterated.

“It’s not about me,” Makoto said. “It’s about the entire student body.”

Mr. Arai’s grin grew a mile wide. “Heh. I’ll think about it.”

Makoto nodded. “Thank you.”

“Here,” Mr. Arai said, getting out his phone. “Let’s exchange numbers so I can tell you when I’ve made my decision.”

“Oh. OK,” Makoto said. They exchanged numbers.

“Thank you,” Mr. Arai said. “I’m glad to see that Kobaya-coward hasn’t totally infected everyone.”

Makoto stood up. “I’m equally glad to see that not everyone is as selfish as Kobaya-coward.”

Mr. Arai laughed. “Have a good day.”

Makoto bowed. “You too. You can keep the pictures, by the way.” She turned to Akechi. “Care to escort me out?”

“Oh, of course,” Akechi said. Mr. Arai started gathering the pictures. The two of them started leaving. Once they were far enough away, Akechi said “I have to say, I wasn’t quite expecting that.”

“Well, my father said that whenever you’re investigating something, expect the unexpected,” Makoto told him.

“Of course,” Akechi said. “So, how did you get a hold of those photos?”

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh, well, as I said, I was conducting my own investigation into Kobayakawa, and I came across them.”

“Right, but how?” Akechi wondered. “No offense, but that seems like something he’d keep close to the chest.”

“Oh,” Makoto said. “Well…” she was a bit nervous, having to lie on the spot like this, but she was used to it somewhat. “As much as I hate to admit it, I snuck into his office, and I found these. I was going to return them, but then he…well…”

“I see…” Akechi said. “Well, like I said, I’m good at keeping secrets. You don’t have anything to worry about.”

“Really? Makoto wondered. Akechi nodded. “Thanks.”

They reached the entrance. “Well, have a good day,” Akechi said.

“Thanks! You too!” Makoto said, rushing off.

As she was leaving, Akechi looked at her intently. “Hmmm.”

That evening, Ren got a message on her phone.

Hifumi: Would you mind meeting me at the Skytree this evening?

Ren: Not at all. Is something the matter?

Hifumi: I’ll explain when you get here.

Ren: Gotcha.

Ren: OMW!

Ren put her phone away, and headed for the Skytree.

Once she arrived, she found Hifumi. “Hi,” she said.

“Hello,” Hifumi replied.

“So, what’s on your mind?” Ren asked. Hifumi gave a loud sigh. “That’s not good…” Ren remarked.

Hifumi looked out the window. “I told you that when I play shogi, I like to think of myself as the Queen of a Kingdom.” Ren nodded. “Well, it seems the Kingdom of my life is falling apart even more.”

“Oh…” Ren said, not knowing how to reply.

“I came up here to see if I can see the board from a different perspective,” Hifumi explained, “but all I see is a million other things outside of my control as well.”

“Well, I’m also a perspective, my liege,” Ren said.

Hifumi giggled at the awkward humor. She turned to face Ren. Her smile turned into a frown and she sighed again. “My mother wants me to do even more magazine and TV appearances than ever before.”

“That seems frustrating,” Ren replied.

“Trust me, it is,” Hifumi said. “I don’t know what to do anymore. I think my mother would be happier if I stopped playing shogi and got an actual job to support us.”

“But you don’t want to do that, right?” Ren asked.

“Of course I don’t,” Hifumi said. “It’s just hard. It feels like she’s encroaching on my life more and more. I get it to a certain extent, I am still a child after all, but it feels more like I’m her property.”

“Do you want to do what we discussed back in Hawaii?” Ren asked.

Hifumi realized she was talking about the Phantom Thieves. “Well…I’m not sure. It certainly feels like she’s beyond reason, but I don’t want to be too hasty.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well then, how about this? We can always fall back on that plan, but why don’t you try talking with your mother about this first?”

Hifumi was surprised. “You mean…confront her? I don’t know…”

“I know it can be hard,” Ren explained, “but she might not expect it. If she really can’t see what’s going on, you telling her might shake her out of it. And if she does fight back, well then, you have your back-up plan to corner her.”

“Of course!” Hifumi said. “A two-pronged approach. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it.”

“Well, you said you needed some perspective,” Ren said.

“True,” Hifumi replied. “In shogi, you can see the whole board, but here I’m only limited to a part of it. Thank you for being my perspective.”

“Trust me, you give me perspective too,” Ren said. The two of them shared a giggle.

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 6

“As long as we’re out, do you want to grab something to eat?” Ren asked.

Hifumi nodded. “Sure.” The two of them grabbed dinner together, and then headed home for the night.

Notes:

I feel like this is one of the first steps for the big changes in the world as a whole. Having Sumire join early is a big change, but that alone doesn't change much. There's a different fanfic I really like called "Masquerade" by Vellaen that is about Sumire joining the Phantom Thieves early, but it ends when she joins because not much else changes. I really love that fanfic, but I wanted to do something a little more. It's sort of my inspiration, but not really because it inspired me in a way that's like "what can I do that's not that, because that's probably the best version of that that will exist" and it led to this. And changing things up as much as I'm doing really opens the door for a lot of different things. Persona's ability to make whatever choices you want feels limitless, and it some ways it is, but it is limiting in other ways where you have to be available for anything, so you can't go too far down a certain path. I love Persona, but having a solid progression has its benefits too, and that's why I really enjoy this story. I'm going on about all sorts of things, some of which I've covered before, but it really is something. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 146: Politics of the Heart

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wednesday night in Tamotsuyama, Jun and Yuine were getting ready to turn in for the night. Yuine was in bed reading a book, when Jun finished changing into his pajamas. He slumped into bed and sighed slightly. Yuine took notice. “What’s on your mind dear?”

Jun turned to his wife. “Are you asking because you don’t know?”

“Oh Jun honey,” Yuine said, placing a bookmark in her book and putting it down. “I’m your wife. I know what’s going on in your mind.”

“Hm. Figures,” Jun replied. He sighed again. “I know we made a promise. But this feels like too good an opportunity to not take. Maybe the people will listen. Maybe I can do something.”

“Well, I think you should go for it,” Yuine replied. Jun was a little surprised. “Like you said, it’s a good opportunity.”

“But…” Jun said. “But we agreed I wouldn’t until both Sasa and Ren were out of the house.”

“Well look around,” Yuine challenged. “It’s just us.”

“Well, Ren’s just on probation…” Jun lamented. “Once that’s up…”

“Sweetie,” Yuine interrupted. “Do you think she’s coming back? If she is, it won’t be all of her. Her heart is in Tokyo.” Jun still wanted to deny it. Yuine placed her hand on his. “Remember what you told me the day the massage parlor was given to me?”

Jun smiled. “Of course. ‘You have the same smile as the day we got married.’”

“I saw Ren with that smile when we visited Tokyo,” Yuine said. “And don’t tell me you didn’t see it either. Apparently, you’re better at reading our children than I am.”

“Oh, that wasn’t a read,” Jun said. “I had overheard her talking to herself about it in her room.”

“Oh,” Yuine said. “I see. Well, either way, I know you saw it too.”

Jun smirked. “Of course I saw it. But I didn’t want to believe it.”

“I know it’s hard,” Yuine said. “Even when Sasa left after graduating high school, it was hard. Ren leaving before graduating, well… But it’s the right thing to do. I don’t pride myself on being selfish, you know.”

“Of course not,” Jun said. “Having said that, I think you deserve a little reward.” He gave Yuine a kiss on the cheek.

Yuine giggled. “Oh you.”

Jun smiled and sighed once more. “I guess I’m going for it.”

“Well, you know you have my vote,” Yuine said.

“Of course,” Jun replied. “Well good night.”

“Good night,” Yuine replied. They turned off their light and went to sleep.

The next day, Jun was on his break at work. He found a secretive place, and took out his phone. He dialed a number and called it.

Yoshida was preparing his next campaign speech when his phone went off. He answered. “Hello?”

“Hi,” Jun answered back. “It’s me, Jun: Ren’s father.”

“Oh of course, hello!” Yoshida said with enthusiasm.

“Listen…” Jun siad. He was still a little hesitant. “I want to ask you about running for the Diet.”

“Wha?!” Yoshida replied.

“I know,” Jun said. “It’s a little outrageous, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. And since there’s a new election coming up, I feel like I could really try.”

“I see,” Yoshida said. “But why are you calling me?”

“Well…” Jun said “You’re the only person I know who is running for the Diet besides my potential opponent, and I don’t think he’d be willing to help me.”

Yoshida chuckled. “Of course. However, I’m not sure how much I could help you.”

“Oh…” Jun said, dejected.

“However,” Yoshida kept going, “I think I know someone who can help.”

“Really?” Jun wondered.

“Of course,” Yoshida answered. “Are you familiar with Dietman Matsushita?”

“Of course!” Jun answered. “I think he’s an exemplary politician.”

“As do I,” Yoshida said. “The two of us have been rekindling our friendship recently. I can give you his information, and you can talk with him.”

Jun left out a hardy breath. “Wow. OK. Yeah. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Yoshida chuckled.

“Hey, how’s Ren been by the way?” Jun asked.

“Are you not checking in with her?” Yoshida asked.

“I am,” Jun said. “But you can never be too careful.”

“Of course,” Yoshida said. “Well, Ren is doing just wonderful.”

“Music to my ears,” Jun said.

Yoshida had a thought. “Say,” he began, “this is going to sound crazy, but if Ren had the ability to help someone, do you think she would?”

“Hm?” Jun responded. “That is odd. But to answer, sometimes she’ll do so even if she didn’t have the ability to.”

“Right,” Yoshida said. “I’m sorry. Something’s been on my mind, and I can’t quite shake it. It’s nthing bad, mind you. Just something...”

“I see...Well, if you’re concerned, I think just talking with her honestly is the best way to go,” Jun said.

“Of course,” Yoshida said. “Thank you.”

“Thank you for watching over Ren,” Jun replied. “And for helping me connect with Dietman Mastusita.”

“Of course,” Yoshida said. “Speaking of…” he gave Jun Matsushita’s contact information. “Just tell him Yoshida sent you.”

“Thanks,” Jun responded.

“Thank you,” Yoshida said. They both hung up.

Jun then dialed Matsushita’s number. “Hello?...I was told to contact you by Mr. Yoshida…”

Meanwhile, Yoshida took out a note he was working on. It read “Ren-Phantom Thief?” The note had things on it, such as “Goes to the school where the first incident took place. Feels society needs to change. Drawn to people in need of help. Brave, but cautious. Is also an underdog.” Yoshida looked through this note some more, and with the information he got from her father, he felt more convinced that was the case.

He sighed. “Well, I’m glad this didn't need to happen the hard way.” He skulked. “Although what comes next is going to be hard in itself. But I’ve made it this far. I can’t betray my ideals now And neither can she.” He went back to working on his speech.

Notes:

This is the shortest chapter of this fic I think I've done...ever. It's also, I believe, the first chapter in the main story that doesn't feature Ren. Still, she's central to the events in this chapter.

This is also Yoshida's 9.5. While it's not as in-depth as Ann's, I don't think it needs to be. I've stated before, I think Yoshida is more even-tempered than most of Ren's other confidants, which leads to an interesting dynamic between him and Ren. And it plays out here where he's following through on his convictions, something he was struggling to do for a bit. I just think it works, even if it's not five pages long.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 147: Being Someone's Smile

Chapter Text

Thursday was another day off for Ren. After eating breakfast, she decided to check up on a few things. Firstly, she went to the theater close by. She noticed that the old couple running the place were in higher spirits, now that that shrewd businessman wasn’t trying to take away their pride and joy anymore. She decided to catch a movie while she was there.

After she left the theater, she decided to check up on the story of the person she knows as Fumio Akitsu. According to the news, he turned himself in, and is awaiting trial. The amount of times he’s done what he’s done complicates things for him, but as a silver lining, when he explained why he thought it was a good idea, some people (mostly people on the Phansite) understood his plight. Still, it's a long road.

Ren then decided to head up to Akihabara. She figured that since kids had the day off, Shinya would probably be spending it at the arcade. Sure enough, as soon as she entered the arcade, she could hear him cursing up a storm.

She walked over. “Come on, you bastard!” Shinya yelled. Despite his fiery demeanor, he was winning. “Gah!” A few shots later, Shinya won. “There we go.”

“Hey,” Ren said. Shinya looked up. He was a little surprised. “Good job.”

“Heh,” Shinya smiled. “That was nothing.” Ren chuckled. “But I have to tell you, ever since the Phantom Thieves dealt with that cheater, more people are playing, so I have to be more on top of my game than ever.”

“It’s not too much for you, is it?” Ren teased.

“Well…” Shinya said. Ren seemed a little worried. “I dunno. Not really?” Ren sighed. “I’m just thinking about a lot.”

“Oh,” Ren said. “Well, if you have a lot on your plate, I guess you don’t need me filling it up.”

“Well….hold on….” Shinya said. “I…guess I can make some time. After all, we have today off, right?”

“Right,” Ren said. She picked up the gun controller and put some money in.

“Are you ready?” Shinya asked. Ren nodded. “Good. Then let’s go!” They started. Shinya was teaching Ren some new tricks, as well as tips for getting through faster. While Ren was patient enough with him, he was still rather intense.

After they finished, Shinya said “Well…you ARE getting better…but at a snail’s pace.”

“Eh heh,” Ren laughed nervously. “Well, you know what they say, ‘slow and steady wins the race’.”

“What about The Phantom Thieves?” Shinya asked. “They started winning right off the bat.”

“Well, even so, they’re better now than when they first started,” Ren replied. “Do you think they could have taken on Medjed right away?”

“Hmmmm. I guess you’re right,” Shinya said. He sighed. “Maybe I was a bit too harsh on you. But you want to get better, right?”

“Right,” Ren said. Shinya sighed. Ren noticed he seemed a little exhausted. “Say,” Ren offered, “why don’t we go outside and talk about this over a drink, or a snack, or something?”

“That sounds like a good idea,” Shinya said. “Let’s go.”

Soon enough, the two of them were outside, enjoying some drinks and snacks. “So, what else is on your mind?” Ren asked.

“Huh?” Shinya replied.

“Well, you said you had a lot on your plate,” Ren said. “Perhaps I could help.”

“Um, you kind of already are,” Shinya answered. Ren looked at him, curious. Shinya sighed. “I’m trying to get stronger. Like the Phantom Thieves,” Shinya explained. “And since you're collaborating with them, I was maybe hoping to see how you are. If The Phantom Thieves trust you, you have to be pretty strong. Even if your Gun About Skills are not.”

“Well, I just started,” Ren said. “I’m not going to be as good as you yet. ”

“I guess that’s true…” Shinya said. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright,” Ren said. “But to your point, one of the things that makes The Phantom Thieves strong is that they are a team. They can rely on each other. Where one of them might be weak, another one might be strong.”

“So, what part are you?” Shinya asked. “What’s your skill?”

“Well, my job is to be a face,” Ren said. “The Phantom Thieves can’t just walk up to people and say ‘We’re The Phantom Thieves, and we’d like to talk to you.’ They need someone removed from them to get information.”

“Can’t they just eavesdrop?” Shinya asked.

“Well, they can,” Ren replied. “But sometimes the direct approach works better. Like how in Gun About you want to take out the armor first, but if they open up their core for an attack you shoot there.”

Shinya was stunned. “You’re picking up on things faster than I thought.” Ren giggled. Shinya sighed. “Still… What do you do if you don’t have anyone? What if you’re alone?”

Ren was just as stunned. She knew how Shinya was feeling all too well. Still, she smiled. “You’re not alone,” she said. Shinya looked up. “You have me. And you have The Phantom Thieves.”

“The Phantom Thieves believe in me?” Shinya asked, surprised.

“Of course,” Ren answered. “You helped them take down that cheater after all. They couldn’t have done that without you.”

“Woah,” Shinya said. “Heh heh. I must be stronger than I thought.” He looked up at Ren. “Thanks.”

Tower-Shinya Oda: Rank 2.

Shinya stood up. “So, wanna have another go at Gun About?”

“Of course,” Ren said. They headed back in, and Shinya subjected her to another session. While fits of anger still popped out, he was a little more calm about things. Once it got kind of late, Shinya had to go home. He said goodbye, and Ren waved at him as he rushed off.

Ren then decided to head up to Shinjuku. It’d been a bit since she spoke with Ohya, so she wanted to see how things were going. She entered Crossroads and saw Ohya at the counter looking miserable. She glanced at Ren. “Ah, perfect timing.”

“Um, don’t take this the wrong way, but it doesn’t entirely seem like it,” Ren countered.

“Ha ha,” Ohya chuckled. “Yeah, I’m not ideal company right now. But I could sure use some.”

“You have Lala, right?” Ren asked.

“You can never have too much,” Ohya said.

“Touche,” Ren said. She sat down next to Ohya. She looked at Lala. “I’ll take a soda.”

“Coming right up,” Lala said. She fixed Ren a drink. “Here you go.”

“Thanks,” Ren said. “So, how long has she been like this?”

“Generally, since Kayo’s disappearance,” Lala teased. Ohya blew a raspberry at her. “But her current slump started…around the time that principal died.”

“Oh yeah, that was your principal, wasn’t it?” Ohya said.

“Yeah…” Ren replied.

“Ugh,” Ohya scoffed. “Sorry, I didn’t mean it like-”

“Don’t worry,” Ren said. “He wasn’t exactly well liked by…well…any of the students. He helped cover up the Kamoshida thing after all.”

“Right…” Ohya said. “Well, he and my boss sound like two peas in a pod.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

“My boss is pressuring me into writing an article stating without evidence that The Phantom Thieves messed with that police officer’s head to kill him,” Ohya explained.

“Wow,” Ren said.

“I keep telling him it’s more in line with the mental shutdowns that were happening before The Phantom Thieves arrived on the scene,” Ohya continued, “but he wasn’t having any of it. ‘Maybe it was them this whole time’ he said. It’d be one thing if it was true, but there’s no proof.” Ohya sighed deeply. “I think he’s doing this to check if I’m willing to listen and not push towards Kayo.”

“Maybe…” Ren said.

Ohya glanced at Ren. “Do you have anything concrete? Hopefully not that The Phantom Thieves are cold-blooded killers.”

“Well, I don’t think they are,” Ren said. “But if you want something concrete, I’m willing to give you this: You know how there’s a lot of commotion about Okumura Foods?” Ohya nodded. “Well, it’s no secret that a lot of people want The Phantom Thieves to change the CEO’s heart. Whether or not they’re doing so is a secret…until now.”

“So, are they?” Ohya asked.

“They are,” Ren said. Ohya grew excited. “However, I will state that this isn’t just because the people want them to. They have their own reasons.”

“Do you know what they are?” Ohya asked.

“They told me that they’ll become apparent once they steal his heart,” Ren informed her.

“Hm,” Ohya said. “Well, that’s something.” She finished her drink. “I don’t think they’d tell you if they’d kill someone. I don’t want to believe my boss, but I don’t want to discount anything without hard proof.”

“No, I get it,” Ren said. “Akechi feels like as long as they aren’t accountable to anyone but themselves, some people will always doubt them. But that lack of accountability to others has its upsides as well.”

“Like what?” Ohya asked.

“Well, they wouldn’t be pressured into spreading a potential lie by their boss,” Ren teased.

Ohya huckled. “You know, you always know how to cheer me up. If you were a boy, I might actually consider dating you.”

“I mean, I don’t have to be,” Ren said. “I told you I was a lesbian.”

“Ha ha ha ha,” Ohya laughed. “True. But I’m not sure I feel the same.”

“Hm,” Ren said, sipping her soda. “Well, even if you did, I’d have to tell you that I have a girlfriend already.”

“Ay! Now there’s a scoop!” Ohya cheered. “So what’s she like?”

“Calm down,” Lala said. “You’re supposed to be a writer for The Phantom Thieves, not teenage gossip.”

“But it’s been so long since I’ve been involved in teenage gossip,” Ohya said. “A part of me misses it.”

“Alright, you seem too drunk now,” Lala said. “I’m cutting you off.”

“No fair!” Ohya said. “You know I’m joking.”

“You know how serious I am about people’s personal lives,” Lala said.

“I know, I know,” Ohya said.

“But still, it’s nice to see you in such a bubbly mood,” Lala said. “You’ve been so miserable.”

“I mean, I can’t blame her,” Ren said. “Being forced to do something she doesn’t want to is not a fun experience.”

“Amen to that,” Lala said.

“Hey kid,” Ohya said. “Don’t make yourself so scarce, OK?”

“Sorry,” Ren said. “I’ve been really busy.”

“Well, when you say it like that, it makes me feel bad,” Ohya said.

Ren chuckled. “I’ll try and make some time for you.”

“Atta girl!” Ohya said. She lifted her glass. “Cheers.” Ren clinked her glass with Ohya’s.

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 5

Ren spent some more time keeping Ohya cheery, but left to catch the train to get back to Leblanc before they stopped running.

Chapter 148: Hearts and Minds

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Akechi’s Thursday was different from most kids his age. For starters, he didn’t actually have the day off. While he didn’t have to go to school, he was still a detective. He was looking into various cases, none more pressing than The Phantom Thieves case. Although information on them was scarce.

Still, something new came up that bothered him. He took out his phone. “Please tell me you’ve responded,” he muttered. He was shocked. He had received a message, but it wasn’t what he wanted. Looking over the previous message, it read:

Akechi: I know you’ve told me a few things, but is it possible you could give me some more research to help understand The Phantom Thieves more?

The response:

POS: That’s on a need to know basis.

POS: I know you’re inquisitive, but your job is to do as I say.

POS: Unless you have any pertinent information, don’t waste my time.

Akechi was dissatisfied. “Well, I can’t say I didn’t expect him not to fully trust me. The feeling is mutual.” He got a little frustrated.

Akechi: Very well.

Akechi: I may have a lead on how to track The Phantom Thieves. It’s a bit of a long shot, but I do need to know at least one thing.

Akechi: Are you certain that Principal Kobayakawa confronted them?

POS: Yes.

POS: It’s hard to explain how without giving you more information.

Akechi: No worries. I’ll take your word on it.

POS: Good.

Akechi: By the way, why increase the pressure on him, when you haven’t done the same for me?

POS: Are you asking for it?

Akechi: Not at all. I admire your graciousness.

POS: Good.

POS: As for why, ever since that gym teacher confessed, he’s had trouble maintaining the school.

POS: If he could give me something quick, that’d make up for it.

POS: But he was failing time and time again.

POS: Now that he’s gone, we can work to reestablish a foothold.

POS: Meanwhile, you’ve been nothing but a friendly public face.

POS: So some breathing room is in order.

Akechi: Well thank you. And best of luck to your endeavors.

POS: Of course.

Akechi put his phone away. He looked at his table. Laid out on them were the pictures of Mr. Arai and that male escort. “Hmmm,” he pondered. “Well, that certainly explained why he had them. But I stole these so that they wouldn’t get into the police’s hand. How Makoto got copies is strange indeed. Unless, of course, I assume she’s a Phantom Thief and got them through some unconventional means.

But then where does that leave us? I could give that information to them, but that would only bolster their position, not to mention weaken my hand. Besides, that’s only one. They must have more members. But who? And how many?”

Akechi smirked. “Although this does give me an advantage. Knowing one gives me an idea on what to look for. But I should tread lightly. I don’t want to ring too many alarms, especially before all the dominoes are in place. Hm. Soon, I’ll have my revenge,” he looked up, “ and you will too.” He walked out of his apartment. After all, he had a new avenue to pursue.

He stopped at the prosecutor’s office and made his way to Sae’s office. He was greeted by Riko again. “Oh? Did Miss Niijima call you here again?”

“Not quite,” Akechi replied. “I came here on my own accord.”

“Well, I’ll let her know you’re here,” Riko said. She knocked on Sae’s door.

“Yes?” Sae replied from the other side.

“Miss Niijima,” Riko informed her, “Detective Akechi is here to see you.”

“I don’t remember asking for him,” she said bitterly.

“He said he came on his own accord,” Riko informed her.

Sae sighed loud enough that it carried through the door. “Very well. Let him in.”

“Thank you,” RIko said. She turned to Akechi. “You may enter.”

“I…take it she’s a little stressed,” Akechi surmised.

Riko nodded. “This whole Okumura business has gotten her into a tizzy to say the least.”

“Well, I’ll try to make this as quick as possible,” Akechi said. He bowed. “Thank you.” He entered the door.

Before he could even say hi, Sae snapped “What do you want?!”

“Forgive me,” Akechi said. “I just wanted to go over some of the information you’ve told me again. A lot has happened, and I just want to keep my facts in order.”

Sae glared at him. “Fine. What is it you need to know?”

“Thanks,” Akechi said. “You said you were certain at least some Phantom Thieves go to Shujin Academy.”

“Of course,” Sae replied. “Their first public target was Kamoshida. It makes sense.”

“But what makes you certain?” Akechi asked. “I know it’s an educated guess, but it’s still a guess.”

“If I had an answer, why should I tell you?” Sae replied. “You’re not telling me everything you know either.”

“Saw right through me, didn’t you?” Akechi said.

“I’m only entertaining this because it seems like you can get something from it,” Sae said, matter of factly.

“He he he heh,” Akechi chuckled. “What if I told you I had an educated guess as to who one of The Phantom Thieves might be?”

Sae was stunned. “You do?” She slammed her desk. “TELL ME!”

“Hold on,” Akechi pleaded.

“NO!” Sae said. “I’m working my ASS off looking into Okumura to nominally protect him, while also fishing for information! HE’S being cagey about EVERYTHING! If you know who one of The Phantom Thieves is, just TELL ME! It’ll be SO much easier!”

“Well, calm down,” Akechi said. “Like I said, it’s just a guess. I don’t have any formal evidence.” Sae huffed and sat back down. “So, might I ask again: How are you certain?”

“If it’ll help,” Sae answered, begrudgingly. “An informant told me that they encountered a Phantom Thief, who was with another Phantom Thief, while working for a third. They said they all went to Shujin. That’s all they gave me.”

“Hm. How wonderfully vague,” Akechi said.

“Tell me about it,” Sae said. “Is that everything?”

“Well, as long as I’m here, is there anything you need help with?” Akechi offered.

“Well, since you’re offering,” Sae responded, “perhaps I could pick your brain on something.”

“Anything for you,” Akechi said.

Sae nodded. “As I’ve told you, a lot of these mental shutdown cases proved to be beneficial to Kunikazu Okumura. But there's one that hasn’t seemed to benefit him that should have. At least, not in the same way.”

“Oh?” Akechi wondered.

“Wakaba Ishiki,” Sae said.

“Um, correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t her death a suicide?” Akechi asked.

“It was ruled as one, yes,” Sae answered. “But I have my doubts. The circumstances of her death resemble a mental shutdown way too much. And I’ve been on this case for a long enough time where I know these things. Besides, she was a researcher who was researching this kind of thing.”

“So, you think she was killed intentionally?” Akechi said.

“That’s my hypothesis,” Sae said. “Again, a lack of proof is what’s killing me.”

“So what does Okumura have to do with it?” Akechi asked.

“Well…” Sae said. “If Ishiki was killed to steal her information, you’d think the person who’d benefit most from that would orchestrate her killing.”

“Seems logical,” Akechi responded.

“However, after combing through Okumura’s files,” Sae continued, “he seems more like the type of person to throw money around to solve his problems that kill outright.”

“So, you think he hired someone to kill Ishiki?” Akechi wondered.

“That’s the thing,” Sae said, shaking her head. “Why not just pay her for the information instead?”

“Well, perhaps he tried, and got a response he didn’t like,” Akechi said.

“Perhaps,” Sae said. “But he wouldn’t know anything about what the data contained, so he couldn’t make a move on his own. I suspect he has help in one form or another. But I want to hear what you think.”

“Hmmm,” Akechi replied. “Well, you have a good head on your shoulders. I don’t think anything you’re saying is wrong. But then the question becomes ‘Who?’ Who would be willing to sell someone out for money?”

“That’s true…” Sae agreed.

“Is there anyone you can eliminate from contention?” Akechi asked.

Sae nodded. “Just one person. Sojiro Sakura. He was close with Wakaba Ishiki. After she passed, he fought for custody of her daughter. Plus his shop doesn’t carry Okumura’s Starfall Coffee, so I know he’s not on Okumura’s payroll.”

Akechi was stunned by this. “Pardon me, but when you say ‘daughter’, do you by chance mean Futaba Sakura?”

Sae was now equally stunned. She nodded. “Yes. How do you know about this?”

Akechi was confused. “We’ve talked about this before. You said Sakura had some things that might help you with the investigation.”

“Ughhhhhhhhhh,” Sae groaned. “I’ve got so much going on it must have slipped my mind.”

“Boy, your secretary was right,” Akechi said. “You are in a tizzy.”

“‘Tizzy’ is too forgiving of a word,” Sae complained. “While we’re trying to investigate Okumura, his workers are going on strike, and he’s keeping mum.” She sighed. “I feel like I’m this close to everything, and yet the universe is still trying to stop me.”

“Hm,” Akechi said. “This is just me thinking here, but have you looked into the strike yet?”

“Why? People are free to strike,” Sae responded.

“Of course,” Akechi said. “But, well, do you think The Phantom Thieves are going after Okumura?”

Sae was a little unsure, but decided to let Akechi into the loop. “I believe so, yes.”

Akechi nodded. “I’m sure you’re aware, but for the calling cards of Kamoshida, Madarame, and Kaneshiro, they made mention of another force that aimed to take them down.”

Sae was curious. “You think that this strike was caused by this secondary force?”

“Perhaps,” Akechi answered. “This is just a guess. But it makes things more confusing, and it gives this force an edge to make Okumura bend to their will.”

“Well, I can’t discount anything,” Sae said. She sighed. “Another thing to look into.”

Akchi smiled. “I’m always happy to lend you a hand.”

“Are you offering your assistance?” Sae said, confused.

“Of course,” Akechi said. “I told you I’d help you with this Okumura thing.

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt,” Sae said. “Plus, you’re pretty popular. That might loosen some lips.” Akechi chuckled nervously. “If they mention anything about a ‘Savior of the Apocalypse’, let me know right away.”

“Um, of course, but why?” Akechi asked, surprised.

“Okumura received a threatening letter from someone with that moniker,” Sae explained. “If your hypothesis is correct, that’s who you’re looking for.”

Akechi smiled and nodded. “I’ll start looking into things tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow?!” Sae yelled.

“My apologies,” Akechi said. “But I have plans for this evening.” He stood up. “And I suggest you should give yourself a break as well. It would certainly help your mind untangle itself.”

Sae glared at him. “Once this gets finished, I’ll take a vacation or something.”

“Hm hm hm,” Akechi chuckled. “Well, if not for yourself, maybe for your secretary. I know what you’re like when you’re wound so tightly you’re on the verge of breaking.”

Sae glared at him some more. “I’ll…think about it.”

“Well, I’ll take that as a positive,” Akechi said. He stood up and bowed. “I’ll be taking my leave now. Talk to you later.” Akechi left.

“See ya,” Sae called out. Once the door was closed again, she sighed. “He’s right. I can’t do anything if I don’t get this done. And if I’m not at my best, I can’t get this done.” She looked at the door intently. “I suppose a break could be in order.”

Later that evening, Akechi arrived at Dome Town. He walked through the crowd a little before finding Lena. Lena was looking for him, and when she spotted him, she smiled and rushed over to give him a hug. “Goro!”

Akechi chuckled nervously. He hugged her back. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

Lena let go a little bit. “It’s alright. I know you’re busy.”

“Hm hm,” Akechi chuckled. “If that isn’t an understatement. So, what do you want to do first?”

The couple spent the evening taking in the attractions at Dome Town. Lena’s more pronounced excitement contrasted with Akechi’s calm demeanor. Still, he was having fun as well, and Lena could tell. And that was enough for both of them.

After a bit, they decided to get something to eat. “Is there anything you want in particular?”

“Hmmm, something sweet,” Lena answered.

Akechi chuckled. “I had a feeling you’d say that. Well, lucky for you, the pancakes here are delicious.”

Lena gasped. “PANCAKES?!” Akechi nodded. She giggled. “You sure know how to treat a woman.”

Akechi giggled back. “Only the best for you.” They proceeded to purchase some pancakes.

Both of them dug in. “Mmmmmmm!” Lena said.

“Hm hm,” Akechi chuckled. “I had a feeling you’d like them.” He glanced to the side.

Lena picked up on this. She swallowed her pancake and asked “Hey Goro?” Akechi looked at her. “Is there something on your mind?”

“Hm. There’s always something on my mind,” Akechi said. “Right now, it’s how cute you look.”

“Goro…” Lena said.

Akechi was a little surprised. “Well, I guess I can’t quite fool you. It’s just,” he sighed, “I have some trouble turning off the detective part of my brain. There’s so much on my mind in terms of different cases and such, especially recently. But for right now, I want to focus on you, OK?”

Lena put her hand on Akechi’s. He was surprised. “Goro… I know you’re focused on the cases you work on. But I love that about you. You’re so dedicated to justice. I know it’s difficult, but for you, it’s worth it.”

Akechi was gobsmacked. “Hm. Heh heh.” Tears started dripping from his eyes. Lena was concerned. “Sorry. I didn’t mean to alarm you. It’s just… It’s been a long time since I’ve felt something like this.”

Lena gasped slightly. She pulled Akechi in for a hug. “It’ll be OK,” she said. “I promise.”

“Hm hm,” Akehi chuckled, tears still filtering out. He reciprocated the hug.

“Thank you.” After a brief pause, he said “I love you.”

Lena smiled and blushed. “I love you too Goro.” They hugged for a little longer. Once they let go, they lightly chuckled between themselves, and then finished their pancakes.

After Sae had finished up doing some work, she looked at the clock. It was a little earlier than when she usually got out, but it was a holiday. She figured that they were making good enough progress that she could take this break. And she knew exactly what she was going to do.

She left her office. Riko was surprised. “Sae?”

“We’re leaving early today,” Sae instructed. “It's a holiday, and we’ve got a good foothold on the situation. And as you may be aware, I’m a little past my limit.”

“I…hadn’t noticed…” Riko said.

“It’s alright,” Sae said. “I appreciate honesty.” Riko was a little surprised, but couldn’t say anything. Sae smiled. “Come on.”

“Um, where are we going?” Riko asked.

“You’ve taken me to so many great restaurants. I think it’s time for me to return the favor,” Sae answered. Riko shrugged, not knowing what was about to happen, but was excited nonetheless. She packed up her things, and followed Sae out.

A little while later, Sae and Riko arrived at Leblanc. “I don’t think I’ve been here before,” Riko remarked.

Sae smiled. “Well, you’re in for a treat.” Assuming he’s not too upset. The two walked in.

Sojiro was busy behind the counter. “Just a second,” he said. He got up and turned around. “Hello…Oh…” His expression grew uneasy. “What can I help you with?”

Sae had a feeling something like this might happen. Still, she remained calm. “If you don’t mind, my new secretary hasn’t been here before. I figured it would be nice to treat her.”

Sojiro looked over at Riko. He smirked. “Well then, I have no objections. Have a seat.”

Sae took a seat at the bar, and Riko came in and sat next to her. “Um, is everything alright with you two?” Riko asked.

“It’s a business thing,” Sae explained. “And right now, we are off hours.”

“Oh…” Riko said.

“What can I get for you?” Sojiro asked.

“I’ll just take a coffee and curry,” Sae said.

“I’ll have what she’s having,” Riko said.

“Very well,” Sojiro said. “Coming right up.” He went to work preparing their orders. Once they were ready, he handed them to the two ladies. “Here you go.”

“Thank you,” Riko said eagerly.

“Thanks,” Sae said in her usual calm tone.

Riko took a bite. Her face lit up. “MMMmmmmmmmmm!”

“You like it?” Sae asked.

Riko nodded. “How come I haven’t had this before?”

“Well,” Sojiro interjected, “this place is a little out of the way.”

“Yeah, but those kinds of places are always the best.”

“Riko here is a bit of a foodie,” Sae explained.

“I just like food a lot, OK?” Riko said.

Sojiro chuckled. “No need to be ashamed. I take pride in serving up the best possible curry. So thank you.” Riko nodded. The two of them kept eating.

A little later, Sae realized something. “Oh, I should tell my sister I’m eating out tonight.” She got out her phone and messaged Makoto.

Riko looked over at her. “Are you sure she’s OK by herself?” she asked.

Sae seemed a little confused. “Of course,” she answered.

“You know, she is concerned about you,” Sojiro chimed in.

Sae turned to him, a little incensed. “How do you know?”

“She comes here from time to time,” Sojiro said. “I overhear bits and pieces, but it sounds like she’s a little worried.”

Sae frowned. She sighed. “I know it’s not easy. But Makoto is one of the strongest people I know.”

“Well, even the strongest people need someone to lean on from time to time,” Riko said. “I mean, I know your boss believes in you, but still hired me.”

Sae was stunned further. She sighed. “I know. I’m sorry. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“I can’t imagine,” Sojiro said. “But it’s important to help people, even when you have a lot on your mind.”

Sae looked at Sojiro. Normally, she’d let herself bear the brunt of things. However, she knew a lot about Sjiro’s situation. He’s running a restaurant, adopted the daughter of his dead lover, and since April had been taking care of another kid on probation. She sighed. “I…guess you’re right.”

Sojiro smiled. “Well, I’m always happy to help.”

Sae turned to Riko. “Maybe you should come over sometime.”

Riko was surprised. “Really?”

Sae nodded. “We just need to figure out a good time.”

“Well, you know I leave when you leave,” Riko reminded her.

Sae giggled. “That’s true. But I doubt either of us would be good company on most days.”

“Well, how about the next time we get off early,” Riko said. “Whenever that is.”

Sae nodded. “Sounds like a plan.” The two women smiled at each other. They finished their coffee and curry, and then headed their separate ways for the night.

Notes:

Well, there certain is a lot to unpack this chapter. We're starting to get glimpses of what's going on with Akechi. This is going to be one of the biggest overhauls of the story. I'm not going to tell you outright what's happening (although some of you have guessed at least one aspect), but I do hope it's worth it. I know Akechi is a complicated character to say the least, and my plans might alter things a little, but I believe the core of his character will still be the same. But only time and your perspectives will tell.

Also, I had intended for this chapter to go into Ren's Friday Confidants (spoilers, the night one will be Akechi), but this chapter turned into something bigger than I could have imagined. I decided to let this be its own chapter. Again, trying to balance everything is a mental workout. But I think I got a lot done here, and I cannot wait until we pull this threa further. Of course, I know the general end results, but getting there wil be a surprise for me as well.

Enjoy.

Chapter 149: Necessary Third Wheeling

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Friday during break, Ren got a message on her phone.

Lena: Hey, do you mind if we talk after school?

Ren: Sure. What’s up?

Lena: It’s…complicated…

Lena: But I think you’ll relate to it well enough.

Ren: Well…um…OK?

Lena: Don’t worry. It’s not terrible or anything.

Lena: Although, being honest, it might be a little painful.

Ren: I see…

Lena: But it’ll be fine.

Ren: Well, I’ll help.

Ren: Anywhere you want to go?

Lena: I think I just want some fresh air.

Ren: There’s a park we can go to.

Lena: Oh, right. Where we did the cleanup.

Lena: Sorry. A lot’s happened.

Ren: You can say that again.

Lena: Lol!

Lena: Seeya then.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren finished her lunch, and then headed back to class.

After school, she met up with Lena, and the two went to the park. Once they got situated, Lena let out a long sigh. “So, what’s on your mind?” Ren asked.

It took a minute for Lena to answer. “Well, Goro and I went on a date last night?”

Ren was a little surprised. “Um, did he do anything…um…untoward…?” Lena gave her a confused look. “Yeah, it sounded odd coming out of my mouth. I mean, I can’t imagine him doing something like that.”

Lena chuckled. “No, nothing like that. We just got to talking. Goro is a detective, and so he can be a bit preoccupied. Even after I’ve gotten out more, we don’t go out that much because he’s so busy.”

“I see…” Ren said, picking up on what Lena was putting down.

“It’s not that I mind entirely,” Lena quickly countered. “I mean, I even told him I liked him for it. But…it can get lonely sometimes.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“So, I was kind of wondering,” Lena asked, “how do you deal with it?”

Ren was confused. “I beg your pardon?”

“Well…” Lena said. “A lot of days, I see Sumire leave school quickly after the bell rings. Sometimes even before. She goes to practice a lot. I just…imagined you’d have a similar separation anxiety.”

“Oh…” Ren said, fully realizing why she asked Ren here specifically.

“ButIt’sOKYouDon’tHaveToSayAnythingIThinkIShouldGetGoing!” Lena sputtered nervously.

She was about to leave, when Ren called out “Wait!” Lena paused. Ren sighed. “It’s fine.”

Lena was still concerned. “Are you sure?”

Ren nodded. “Trust me.” Lena sighed. She and Ren sat down. Ren slightly chuckled. “To be honest, I’ve never thought about it like that before. But I can see why you’d think I would.”

“Huh,” Lena said, surprised.

“To be honest, I’m still sort of getting used to the idea of having a girlfriend in the first place,” Ren said. “I…kind of resigned myself to being single forever. So actually having someone is, well, nothing short of magic.”

“I see,” Lena said.

“We’ve had a couple dates,” Ren told her. “We’ve hung out. And of course, we are business cohorts.” Lena laughed at the casual cover-up of them being Phantom Thieves. “Do I wish we had more time together? Of course. But…this is gonna sound silly…” She sighed. “I…don’t want to look a gift horse in the mouth, you know.”

Lena put her hand on Ren’s, surprising her. “Ren…It’s OK to want more…” Lena slightly frowned. “I mean, when I was locked up in my mom’s house, I wanted more. It’s OK to be a dreamer.”

Ren was still a little stunned, but then she smiled. “Thanks.” Lena let go. “It’s been a while since I’ve had a dream like this. But I do want to hold onto it for as long as I can.”

Lena blushed. “Me too.”

Ren glanced at Lena. “I mean, I can also help you with your problem as well.”

“You can?” Lena asked.

Ren nodded. “Well, to the best of my ability.” Lena giggled. “I mean, I get it,” Ren continued. “I also want to spend more time with Sumire. But I think something that helps me is that I don’t just have her.”

“Woah,” Lena said.

Ren giggled. “I mean, right now, I’m not with Sumire, but I’m here with you, and that’s not nothing.”

“So, you think I should get more friends?” Lena asked.

“Well, I don’t think that would hurt…” Ren said. “Maybe a little. But I think anyone else in our group would be willing to hang out with you as well.”

“I see,” Lena replied. She grew more confident. “Alright, I think I got it!” She let out a slight chuckle. “Thanks.”

“Anytime,” Ren replied.

Adjustment-Lena Minamoto: Rank 3

“Um, as long as we’re hanging out, is there anything else you want to do?” Lena asked.

“Hmmm,” Ren responded. “Oh! Why don’t I show you a good spot where you and Akechi could have a date.”

“Oooo! Wonderful!” Lena said, excited. “Let’s go.”

Ren showed Lena the boats, and she was in awe. They spent a little more time in the park together before going their separate ways.

As Ren was coming home, she got another message.

Akechi: Pardon me, but do you mind if I stop by this evening?

Ren giggled.

Ren: Not at all.

Akechi: Great! I’m on my way!

Ren: As am I.

Akechi: Oh? Where’d you go?

Ren: I was hanging out with your girlfriend.

Akechi: Oh. Ha ha. I see.

Akechi: Well, I’m glad she’s found a friend in you.

Akechi: What did you talk about?

Ren: Girl stuff. ;P

Akechi: I…see…

Akechi: Well, I’ll be there soon.

Ren giggled and put her phone away, and continued to Leblanc.

A few minutes after she got back, Akechi walked in. “Greetings!” Ren chuckled again. He took a seat next to her. “So, um, how did things go with Lena today?”

“They went well,” Ren said.

“She didn’t seem upset or anything?”

“Nope.”

“I see,” Akechi replied. He sighed, relieved. “I’m glad to hear that.”

“Should she be upset?” Ren asked in her playful voice.

Akechi rolled his eyes. “Do you really take me for that kind of person?”

“Nah, I just wanted to see how you’d react,” Ren replied.

Akechi chuckled. “Well, it is amusing.”

Ren got a little more serious. “How are you doing?”

Akechi sighed. “Well, I’d be lying if I said things were going easy. But at the same time, things are getting more interesting. This whole business with Okumura and The Phantom Thieves is pushing this case to an all-time-high in terms of public fervor. But my objective remains the same. Although…”

“Although what?” Ren wondered.

Akechi sighed. “It’s nothing.” He paused. “Well, not nothing…” He sighed. “For the first time, I’m wondering what will happen after the fact.”

“Huh?” Ren said.

“Well, normally, I assist in cases that are more open and shut,” Akechi said. “Someone kills someone, I find out who did it, they get arrested, they deserve it, and I go on with my life. But a lot of people really believe in The Phantom Thieves. Part of me is starting to see them as something human too. They’re also people with hopes and dreams. When they get caught, what will happen to them?”

“IF they get caught,” Ren corrected.

“Heh heh,” Akechi laughed. “I appreciate your enthusiasm. But I feel like sooner or later, something will catch up to them.”

“If you say so,” Ren said. “Or should I say ‘WHEN you say so’?”

Akechi laughed. “I gotta say, Sumire’s really lucky to have someone as witty as you for a girlfriend.”

Ren paused. She was worried about the crossroads of Akechi running into The Phantom Thieves, which includes Lena. “Hey,” Ren said, more seriously. “What if it’s not just The Phantom Thieves that are only human?”

Akechi was confused. “I beg your pardon?”

“Well…I mean, if The Phantom Thieves are human, then the people they care about and would be doing this for would be human too.”

“Huh,” Akechi said. “I have to admit, that’s a new one on me. A lot of people who I put away have families, some of whom are shocked and don’t want to believe the truth, but yeah…” He sighed. “I know when Lena was being kept in Tamako’s house, being apart from her was devastating. I mean, it sort of still is. I’ve been so busy as of late that we haven’t had much time to be a couple. For it to be similar… Hmmm. I’d have to think about that.”

Ren wasn’t sure if she should say this, but she felt like she needed to. “I think…Lena feels the same…”

“Hm,” Akechi smirked. “I see. I can’t say I’m completely surprised.”

“What are you going to do?” Ren asked.

“Well, there’s nothing I really can do at the moment,” Akechi replied. “Of course, I’d like to spend more time with her, but things are busy as is. I’ve got school, I’ve got cases, I’ve got you.”

Ren was confused. “Me?”

“Yes,” Akechi said. “I’m taking the place of you crude parole officer. Pardon my bluntness.”

“Oh right,” Ren said. “I kind of forgot.”

“Well, it’s not terrible,” Akechi siad. “I like talking with you as friends.”

“Ditto,” Ren replied.

“Maybe once this whole Phantom Thieves thing is over, things will settle down,” Akechi said.

“Maybe…:” Ren said.

“Hm,” Akechi smirked. “Are you worried?” Ren was a little concerned. “Well, don’t worry. You’ve given me a new perspective. Something to help me grow. And for now, that’s enough.”

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 6

Akechi checked the time. “I should get going. I’ve gotta get sleep sometime.”

“Oh, right,” Ren said. “Goodnight!” she called out.

“Hm hm. Goodnight!” Akechi replied. He left.

Ren seemed puzzled. “Hey,” Sojiro said. Ren turned to him. “I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation.” Ren seemed puzzled. “You want to lighten his load, don’t you?” Ren wasn’t sure where this was going, but she trusted Sojiro enough to nod. “Hm. I’ve got just the thing.”

He took out a piece of paper. “Your parole officer stops by every once in a while asking about you. I normally try to politely but firmly tell him to scram. But then he heard Futaba’s voice after not hearing it for a while, and now he’s convinced I’m in on some child smuggling operation with you. His name is on this piece of paper.” He slid it over to Ren.

Ren was stunned. “Are you asking me what I think you’re asking me?”

“I’m not asking you anything,” Sojiro said. “I’m asking The Phantom Thieves to deal with a person causing needless strife.”

Ren took the paper. She looked it over, nodded, and said “Gotcha.” She yawned. “I should get some sleep too.” She headed upstairs. “Goodnight Sojiro!”

“Goodnight Ren!” Sojiro replied. Ren finished getting up the stairs while Sojiro closed for the night.

Notes:

It's been a bit, huh. My life is a bit hectic at the moment, and I kind of wanted to write something. I think the absence and subsequent return helped shape this chapter better. I don't know if I'd have a better idea if I did this right away. I like how this chapter turned out. It's a really interesting dynamic, seeing not just dueling sides of justice but also love. It's adorable. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 150: Osmosis

Notes:

Here it is, chapter 150. At this point, I'm certain this fic will go over 200 chapters, but I have no idea how far. It could get to 300 and beyond, but that's only if I stretch things and add a bunch of stuff. And here, I'm just talking about the main game. My version of Strikers will be its own thing, and I have other ideas as well, some of which are more planned out than others.

Anyways, as for how I came up with the title of this chapter, I was lisening to Good Kid 3, and Osmosis came on, and it clicked. Something about it made sense, and I'm going with it. Also, listen to Good Kid.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter Text

Saturday, after school, Ren walked down to Dr. Maruiki’s office. She knocked on the door. “Come in!” Maruki called out. Ren walked in. “Ah, Amamiya-chan! How are things going?”

Ren sat down. “Pretty good, I guess.”

“So, what brings you here today?” Maruki wondered.

Ren grew a little tense. “Our next target might hold the key to figuring out who may be behind the mental shutdown cases.”

“Oh,” Maruki said, surprised. “That’s…something… Are you concerned about taking them on?”

“Well…kind of…but that’s not why I’m here,” Ren explained.

“Oh?”

“Well, I mean...” Ren went on. “It is kind of scary. Taking on someone who has been murdering people, possibly with no remorse. But it’s something we have to do. To uphold our justice. We can’t let people like that get away with it.”

“Hm,” Maruki reacted. “Well, you aren’t The Phantom Thieves for nothing.”

“Well…that’s just it…” Ren said. “Once we’ve figured this out, we’ll probably take on Eris.”

“Are you scared of fighting her?” Maruki asked.

“Well, again, kind of, but I’m prepared for that,” Ren said. “What I’m worried about is after.”

“After?”

Ren nodded. “I mean, we were given this power to stop Eris. Once we stop her, that power might be taken away, and we might not be Phantom Thieves anymore. What then?”

“Ah,” Maruki said, upon realization. “Is that all?” Ren gave him a look. “I mean, I guess it’s worth reminding you that every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end.”

“Meaning…?”

Maruki chuckled. “If you stop being The Phantom Thieves in the sense of going into the metaverse and serving justice, you won’t stop being the people you’ve become. Or maybe you will, in order to become different people.” Ren was a little confused. “Think how much you’ve changed since coming to Tokyo.” Ren did. “That growth isn’t going away. Well, unless something really bad happens, but with a heart as strong as yours, I doubt it.”

Ren chuckled. “I…guess… I don’t know. I basically became a Phantom Thief when I came to Tokyo, so it’s hard to parse the two.”

“Well, I’m sure your time in Tokyo won’t end when you stop being a Phantom Thief,” Maruki assured her. “But I can’t say I don’t understand the hesitance. I mean, when Rumi woke up, I had to figure out how to move forward without her. I did that by pouring my energy into my work. But then that got cut off, but that I found I had powers, and a palace. And then that got taken away from me too.”

“You’re not really selling your position here doc,” Ren snidely remarked.

“Well hold on,” Maruki said, being taken aback by the sudden attack. “After my palace got destroyed, I had to find something new. And by becoming a therapist here and helping you out, I believe I have. In fact, since I stopped chasing a high, be it work or power, I think I’ve found my life a little more fulfilling. Of course, there are struggles still, and I’m not 100% there yet, but I’ve been thinking of things I haven’t thought about in a while.

My point is you should keep an open mind. Even if you stop being a Phantom Thief in the literal sense, you’ll still be one where it counts. You didn’t get your disdain for the corrupt from being a Phantom Thief. You didn’t get your social prowess from being a Phantom Thief. You didn’t get your girlfriend from being a Phantom Thief. Your being a Phantom Thief may have amplified that, but that was you, through and through.”

Ren was taking this in. In a sense, she had known this, but hearing it out loud is another thing entirely. A part of her felt like Joker was the person she couldn’t be. But now, it feels more like Joker is who she always was. And much like how continued failure forced Maruki to be the person he is now, becoming Joker forced Ren to open up in a way she might not have been able to on her own.

She sighed. “A part of me wishes it wasn’t these exact circumstances that lead to this. That I could have done this all on my own. But at the same time, that’s not how life is, at least all the time.”

“Yeah…” Maruki lamented. “You know, that’s what I had wanted to fix. But after working here without having the power to change things, I’m slowly realizing that how we survive makes us who we are. It’s not ideal, and we should strive to make sure people suffer less, but we can’t control everything.”

Ren smiled. “That’s some perspective. As much as I hate to admit it, you have a point. But in a way, it makes me feel better. Because at the end of the day, I’m not alone, and neither are my friends. I’m thinking now that practically all of them felt alone in one way or another. But now that we’re united, things are better.”

Maruki smiled back. “Making sure people get better is my job. And despite everything, I think I have a new lease on life as well.”

Ren giggled. “Of course. I included you when I was talking about my friends.”

Maruki was surprised. “Oh. Well, I’m flattered. Thank you.”

Counselor-Takuto Maruki: Rank 6

Ren stood up. “Well, I should be on my way. I have to prepare, you know.”

“Of course,” Maruki said. “But take a snack for the road. It’s hard to strategize on an empty stomach.”

“Right,” Ren said. She grabbed some snacks and left.

That evening, she and Futaba decided to help out at Leblanc. “Hm,” Sojiro chuckled. “It’s been a while since the place felt so alive.”

“What about when the group is here?” Ren asked.

“Yeah, no group coming in tonight exceeded our party,” Futaba pointed out.

“I meant outside of that,” Sojiro replied. “I know how lively it can be with you teens around. But in the sense of what it’s usually like here, things are more alive with you two helping.”

“Well, maybe this could be the new normal,” Ren said.

“Maybe…” Sojiro said. He turned to Futaba. “I know I appreciate you being more active. I know it’s hard for you, but you’re getting the hang of it.”

Futaba blushed. “Thanks…” She checked her phone. “Oh! My show is almost on! Sojiro…”

“Heh. Yeah, you can go,” Sojrio said.

“Thank you!” Futaba said, bowing. She took off her apron and fled out the door.

“Heh,” Sojiro chuckled. “You know, I’ve known Futaba for a long time. And yet it feels both longer and shorter than it actually has been. Things happen so fast, you know? Eh, perhaps you’ll understand when you’re older.”

“I think I get it now,” Ren told him. “I mean, I haven’t even been here half a year, and look how much has changed.”

Sojiro chuckled. “I guess that’s true. … Say, speaking of change…” Ren grew curious, “do you ever wonder if you’re taking two steps forward, one step back. Or if a certain type of change would be alright?”

Ren was confused. “What do you mean?”

Before Sojiro could answer, the door opened. The two looked to see none other than Coach Hiraguchi enter. She looked at Sojiro, and then Ren. “Sumire was talking about this place a lot. Now I understand why.” She walked over and sat at the bar. “Hello.”

“Hello,” Sojiro said. Ren could feel a certain energy emerging. “What’ll it be?”

“Your sign says coffee and curry, right?” Hiraguchi asked.

“That is true, but we serve other things if you’d like,” Sojiro informed her.

“I’ll just take your specialty,” Hiraguchi answered. “Coffee and curry.”

“Alright. Any kind in particular?” Sojiro wondered.

“Surprise me,” Hiraguchi told him.

Sojiro nodded. “Very well.” Sojiro rolled up his sleeves.

“Uh,” Ren interjected. “Do you want me to take care of this order?”

Sojiro shook his head. “I’ve got it.” He went to work.

Hiraguchi turned to Ren. “So, you work here?”

“Uh, well…” Ren began. “Let’s go with yes.”

“Is there more to the story?” Hiraguchi wondered.

“You could say that…” Ren answered.

“Hmmmmm.” Hiraguchi looked at her intently. Ren was starting to get nervous.

“Leave her alone,” Sojiro called out. “If she doesn’t want to tell you her life story, she doesn’t need to.”

Hiraguchi turned to the cooking Sojiro. “For what it’s worth, we’re acquaintances. She’s…really close with one of my gymnastics students. Aside from that, she’s also my student. You know I’m the interim gym teacher at Shujin Academy, right?”

“I’m aware,” Sojiro retorted. “You know what happened the last time a gym teacher got too close with their students.”

“That’s a low blow,” Hiraguchi replied. “I thought you were better than that.”

“I just don’t want you harassing someone on my watch,” Sojiro said.

“Um, it’s fine…” Ren said, trying to cool the situation. “Really… Um… So, I’m not from Tokyo originally…and while I’m in Tokyo, Sojiro here is taking care of me. So…that’s why he’s a bit defensive…”

Hiaguchi looked at her intently again, but this time with a little more understanding. “I see… So he’s taking care of you while you’re on probation?”

“Oh? You knew about that?” Ren asked.

“The school told me,” Hiraguchi informed her.

“Oh… Figures…” Ren lamented.

Hiraguchi nodded. “My apologies. Both of you.”

“It’s alright,” Sojiro said. “I overreacted too. I’m sorry.” He placed a plate of curry and a cup of coffee by Hiraguchi. “Here you go.”

Hiraguchi took a sip of the coffee first. Her eyes widened. “I see what you mean. This is excellent.”

“Thank you,” Sojiro said.

She took a bite out of the curry. She was even more surprised. “Wow. Not only is the curry amazing, pairing it with coffee is unusual, but it works.” Sojiro smirked. “Did you come up with the recipe yourself?”

Sojiro hesitated. “I had help.”

“Hmmm,” Hiraguchi wondered. “Would you mind if I asked for the recipe?”

A shiver went up Sojiro’s spine. He shook himself, and then snapped into his usual suave self. “Sorry. But if I gave out the recipe, I wouldn’t have much of a restaurant, now would I?”

“True,” Hiraguchi said. “But the atmosphere here is also second-to-none.”

Sojiro was impressed. “Glad you feel that way.”

Hiraguchi continued with her meal. Once she finished, she said “That was excellent.” She nodded at Sojiro. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Sojiro replied.

Hiraguchi took out some money and slid it across the counter. “Here.”

Sojiro took it from her. “Thank you.

She started to leave, but stopped. “Oh, by the way, you may have heard Shujin will be getting a new principal.”

“I’ve heard…” Sojiro said.

“I’m...not saying I wished death upon the previous principal,” Hiraguchi explained, “but if it’s to your liking, maybe your daughter could go there.”

“Maybe,” Sojiro answered.

Hiraguchi nodded. “Well, thank you again.” She left.

After the bell finished ringing, Sojiro shrugged. “Hm.” He began cleaning up her dishes.

Meanwhile, Ren was bemused. “Wha…what just happened there?”

“Oh, right,” Sojiro said. “On your first day back from summer break, I decided to go tour schools to see if Futaba would fit into one of them. I looked at yours first. I wasn’t impressed by the principal, but I bumped into her, and we got to talking.”

“I…see…” Ren said. “So, what happened?”

“Well, we just talked about Shujin, and…that was that…” Sojiro explained.

Ren seemed puzzled. “I…see…”

Sojiro sighed. “Look, it’s none of your business, OK?” he snapped.

Ren was even more confused. “OK? Um, did you…ummmm?”

Sojiro let go of the dishes. “What did I just say?”

“Right, sorry,” Ren apologized.

Sojro stared at her some more. He loosened up his tenseness. “I…may…have made a move.”

“Oh!” Ren said, even more shocked. “And, ummm…”

“She said no,” Sojiro replied.

Ren was still kind of puzzled. “I didn’t think you’d be the type to get like this when you got rejected.”

Sojiro sighed again. “It’s not just the rejection. It’s what she said.”

“What did she say?” Ren asked.

“She told me she only plays to win in a relationship,” Sojiro said.

“Wait…you didn’t plan on making it a real thing?” Ren asked.

“Of course not,” Sojiro said. “I-Look… Up until I met Wakaba, that’s who I was. And now that she’s not here, I thought I was that person again.”

“I thought you changed after meeting Wakaba,” Ren replied.

“I did,” Sojiro said. “I didn’t think I could fall in love, but then I did. And when that…” He sighed. “I didn’t think I could do it again. I sort of regressed. I took up smoking again, and when I could, I had some one night stands…but it never felt the same.”

“Well…maybe you should explain that?” Ren offered. “I mean, things cooled down when I explained what was happening with me.”

Sojiro smirked. “True. But…if you really want me to pursue a relationship, do you think Futaba would be OK with it?”

“I think she’d be happy if you’re happy,” Ren informed him.

“Hm,” Sojiro smirked. “Maybe. I still need to think about it. I need to think about a lot of things I haven't thought about in over two years.” He looked Ren over. “You know, I tell this to a lot of women, but I really think you’re an angel.” Ren was confused. “I mean, you come into my life all of a sudden, and you start fixing my problems one at a time. You’re nothing short of a miracle.”

Ren chuckled. “Well, you’re a miracle too.” Sojiro was now confused. “I mean, call me what you like, but not everyone would be willing to take in a criminal. Let alone, help her do further crime.”

Sojiro chuckled. “I guess miracles are in the eye of the beholder. … Thank you.”

“Thank you.”

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 7

A little later, Sojiro headed out, and Ren headed for bed.

Chapter 151: The Times, They Are A-Changin'

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Ren got a text from Ryuji.

Ryuji: Sup?

Ryuji: You hungry?

Ren: Yes?

Ryuji: Great!

Ryuji: Let’s meet up at the usual ramen place!

Ryuji: I’m paying!

Ren: Wow. You’re certainly excited.

Ryuji: Heh heh. Just you wait!

Ren: I’ll be over ASAP.

Ren put her phone away, and then got herself ready.

Once she got there, she saw Ryuji at the counter. He waved her down, and she took a seat next to him. “Glad you could make it!” He turned to the server. “Two please!” They nodded and got started.

Ren chuckled. “So, what’s the occasion?”

“Heh heh,” Ryuji laughed. “I heard from the track team that Yamauchi finally got the boot!”

“Really?!” Ren asked.

Ryuji nodded excitedly. “Yeah. It was sort of touch and go, what with the principal dying, but Takeshi’s mom spearheaded the operation at the latest PTA meeting. They had no CHOICE but to remove Yamauchi, and bring the old coach on as the head!”

“Well, that’s really great!” Ren said.

“Totally!” Ryuji replied. Their ramen showed up. “I figured you’d want to celebrate.”

“Of course!” Ren said. They chuckled and started eating their ramen.

After his first slurp, Ryuji said “AH!” and then looked into his bowl. “I guess it’s because we did good, but the ramen here has never tasted better.”

Ren giggled. “Of course. Don’t you think the food we eat after a successful mission always tastes better?”

“Huh,” Ryuji reacted. “You know, now that you mention it, yeah. It tastes better. Huh. You know, it also tasted like this whenever we won a meet. Boy, those were the times. Er, not that now isn’t good, but…”

Ren snickered. “It’s OK, I get it.” Ryuji sighed, relieved. “I remember a time before everything came crashing down for me. No one hated me, or treated me different. It was nice. And moments like this feel nice too. But it’s a bit dragged down by the constant torment I endured, but it also makes it sweeter in a way. Cause I know that it’s not all bad.”

“Hm,” Ryuji moaned, listening along. He looked down at his knee. “I…think I get what you mean. When Kamoshida fought back after I punched him, it hurt to walk. Still does from time to time, but it’s mostly healed. It’s not the same, but it still is good. It’s one of those things where, of course I don’t wish it happened, but it’s not the end of the world, you know?”

Ren nodded. “I do know.”

“I always felt like I had to prove my own strength,” Ryuji continued. “That I had to act tough in order not to be pushed around. That I didn’t need anyone but myself. But that’s not what strength is. Sometimes strength is knowing when you need help. Knowing when you’ve messed up and accepting it.

Jerks like Kamoshida never wanted to admit their shortcomings. And when Eris corrupts people, they start to think that they alone can fix things. That's why we’ve been able to win every time. Because we’re a team. We help each other.

And you know, the track team kinda learned that too. They were stubborn, but once they admitted their shortcomings, they could start to rebuild. It seems so obvious, but I don’t know why it can be so hard to see sometimes.”

Ren finished her bowl. “Ah! Can I get another?” The server nodded, and started working on another bowl. Ryuji was shocked. He looked and still had a full bowl. “Aw man!” He took another slurp. “Woah! Still hot! But still tasty.” He continued eating.

Ren chuckled. “Sorry. I was listening. And to answer your question, I think it can be hard to see because too often people get divided against their will. So they have to try to make it on their own, afraid that admitting any weakness will just further divide them.”

“Huh,” Ryuji said with a mouth full of ramen. He finished eating. “Ah! Can I get another as well?” The server began preparing his order. Ryuji turned back to Ren. “I was listening too. And I think you’re right.” He chuckled. “You know, this was supposed to be more celebratory, but it’s getting very introspective. Not that I mind, but…”

Ren’s second bowl came. She glanced at it, and then at Ryuji. “Well, why don’t we liven things up?”

Ryuji was curious. “How so?”

“Ramen race?” Ren suggested.

“Heh! You think you can beat me?!”

“Only one way to find out.”

Ryuji’s second bowl came. “Heh! You’re on!” They got themselves ready. “3…2…1…GO!” They began their ramen race. It was close, but Ryuji won. “HELL YEAH!” he shouted.

Ren finished her last strands. “Well, I should have known. But I’ll get you next time!”

“Heh! You’re on!” Ryuji declared. He smiled. “You know, I think I needed this.”

“The ramen race?” Ren questioned.

“No,” Ryuji said. “Well, I mean, maybe that too. But the conversation. I’ve just had so much on my mind, and I didn’t know how to straighten it all out until we started talking.”

“Well, what are friends for?” Ren asked.

“Heh. Totally,” Ryuji replied. After a pause, Ryuji added “Thanks.”

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 9.

Soon after, Ren got a phone call. She checked it. “It’s my dad.”

Ryuji smiled. “Take it. My mom and I have plans soon anyway.”

“You sure?” Ren asked.

Ryuji nodded. He started walking off. “Seeya!” He left.

Ren answered her phone. “Hey dad.”

“Hey sweetie,” Jun answered. “I have some news for you.”

“Oh?”

“You know that there’s going to be an election by the end of the year for the Diet?”

“Mm-hm.”

“Hm. Well, I’ve decided I’m going to throw my hat in the ring.”

Ren got excited. “Really?!”

“Yup!”

“Well that’s great!” Ren responded.”Do you need any help, or…?”

“I’ll be alright,” Jun said. “The most important thing you can do is stay safe for me, OK?”

“I…I think I can do that,” Ren said.

“Hm,” Jun responded. “Listen, I know things have changed. A lot. And I know you’re not my little girl anymore. But I’ll always be your father. Which means I always want what’s best for you.”

Ren was stunned. She didn’t know how to respond at first. She then mustered “Me too. I want what’s best for you as well.”

“The best thing for me is making sure you're OK,”Jun replied.

“Daaaaad,” Ren groaned.

Jun chuckled. “Well, it’s true. … I love you sweetie.”

“Love you too dad,” Ren responded. “I hope you win.”

“Me too,” Jun said. He hung up and sighed. Ren also sighed once the call was over, and then made her way back to Leblanc.

Later that evening, Ren got a message from Yoshida.

Yoshida: I’m having another rally today. Would you mind coming to help out?

Ren: Of course. You know I’m always willing to help.

Yoshida: Of course. But before the rally, there is something I'd like to talk about.

Ren: What is it?

Yoshida: I think it’s better to discuss this in person.

Ren: Oh…OK…

Yoshida: See you soon.

Ren: See you soon.

Ren was a little concerned, but this was Yoshida. She was sure it wouldn’t be too bad. She took a deep breath, and then headed out.

She arrived earlier than she usually did. “Hey there,” she greeted Yoshida.

“Oh, Amamiya-chan!” Yoshida said, a little surprised. “You’re here early.”

“Well, you said you wanted to talk,” Ren said. “Is everything alright?”

Yoshida was stunned, but then smiled. He nodded. “Yes. Everything is fine. But in a way, that’s the issue.” Ren was confused. “It’s probably better this way.” He sighed heavily. “As much as I hate to admit it, I’m afraid this will probably be the last time I ask for your assistance.”

Ren was gobsmacked. “Wha…What?! But the election isn’t for another few months.”

“I know,” Yoshida said. “Believe me, this isn’t easy for me either.”

“Then why?” Ren wondered. “After…everything…”

Yoshida sighed. “I feel like life is taking us down two different paths. For me, it’s as a politician. For you, it’s as a Phantom Thief.”

Ren was even more surprised. “Wha-What?! Me? A Phantom Thief?”

“It’s just a hunch,” Yoshida said. “There’s a lot of circumstantial evidence to suggest it. From your school, to your demeanor, to your willingness to help. But the thing that seals the deal for me is that you’ve helped me change my heart like you’ve changed the hearts of others.”

“But…your heart wasn’t corrupt,” Ren said.

“Right, but not in that way,” Yoshida said. “Because of The Phantom Thieves people are starting to hope more. They’re starting to ask for better things. They’re improving themselves because they can see that the circumstances of the now aren’t the limits. You’ve changed your fair share of black hearts, but that’s not the limit of your power.”

Ren was still a bit shaken by all of this. “I appreciate your help,” Yoshida continued. “Really, I do. But I think you have better things to work on than a silly little campaign.” He chuckled.

“Yo…Your campaign isn’t silly,” Ren protested. Yoshida was a little surprised. “It means something. It’s not a waste of time. If I’ve been able to help before with everything going on, I can still help. Besides, it’s not like I don’t get something out of this. Because of you, I’ve become more confident and understanding about myself. Because of you, I became a better leader. I…I…”

Yoshida remained surprised. He composed himself. “I apologize. I used the wrong words, heh heh. I don’t mean to diminish myself. What I mean to say is things are changing. We’ve both learned a lot from each other. But I think now is the time to put our noses to the grindstone and really work on what we need to do.

I've been reading the news. It seems like things are getting a bit hectic for the Phantom Thieves. The amount of support now matches roughly the amount of vitriol. I can’t imagine things will be smooth sailing from here on. At the same time, people like me have to give it our all too. And I can’t do that when I’m worried about you. You may not see it as a burden, but I’d be worried.”

Ren slightly pouted. Yoshida recognized her disappointment. “I know this is difficult. But don’t think of it as the end, but a new beginning.” Ren was stunned into curiosity. “I mean, if I get elected, that would mark the end of my campaign, but the beginning of something else. But the feelings would remain.

This isn’t the end of our friendship. Heck, this isn’t even the end of helping each other. But I feel like the best way we can help each other for right now is going down our own paths and showing everyone what we’ve taken from each other. Of course, you’re always free to come by and help, but this will be the last time I ask.”

Ren was processing what Yoshida had said. He was a great speaker and thinker. He wouldn’t say anything he didn’t believe in. Even though this was a separation of sorts, she knew he believed that this was the best course of action for them. And she knew he was right. She nodded, then sighed. “Very well.”

Yoshida smiled, while a single tear fell. “I’m glad. I’ll miss our conversations too, but I feel like this is for the best. Are you ready?” Ren nodded. “Then let’s go.”

“Yes sir,” Ren replied. She went to grab the sign. It read “Tonight’s Topic: Connections”

Ren and Yoshida got into position in front of the crowd. It was a sizable crowd; probably the biggest Yoshida had amassed. Yoshida cleared his throat and began to speak. “People of Tokyo! Tonight, I want to talk about something very important: The connections we make. As much as we hate to admit it, people come into our lives, and people leave. However, just because someone is gone, doesn’t mean that the idea of them is abandoned entirely.

Recently, I’ve met someone who has transformed me and my understanding of the world. And because of them, I am more confident than ever that I will help as many people as I can if elected. However, the two of us must go our separate ways for the time being. However, everything they’ve taught me will stick with me, and vice versa.

The truth is this applies to every connection we make. No one gets to where they are by themselves. While people come and people go, their impact lasts for as long as you allow it. A connection never goes away on its own, unless you break it.

A politician’s job is to think about other people. However, I suggest we all start doing that more. Think about all of the people who have been there for you; Those who you have lost, and those who have lost you. I promise you that the connections you’ve made remain strong. And as your representative, I will do nothing but amplify the bonds between us. For when we stand together, there is nothing we can’t do.” The crowd erupted into a cheer, while a tear fell from Ren’s eye.

Meeting up after the speech, Ren wiped her eye and said “Wonderful speech, as always.”

Yoshida nodded. “Why thank you.”

Ren looked down. “...I’m going to miss this.”

“Well, like I said, you’re free to come on your own,” Yoshida said.

“Right…” Ren said. “But you’re right. There are other things I need to do. Other people I need to help.”

Yoshida smiled. “And I’m sure you’ll help them all.”

“You think so?” Ren said, looking up.

Yoshida nodded. “You’ve helped me so much. If you help someone even one-one hundredth as much as you’ve helped me, you’ll give them something they’ll never forget.”

Ren teared up again. “Thank you.”

“Of course,” Yoshida said. He started tearing up. “I knew this would be difficult, but I didn’t expect it to hit me this hard.”

“Well, as they say, parting is such sweet sorrow,” Ren retorted.

“Bah ha! Of course!” Yoshida laughed. They looked at each other. “Thank you.”

Ren felt an even more powerful surge inside her.

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast turned a vow into a blood oath.

Thy bond shall become the wings of rebellion and break the yoke of thy heart.

Thou hast awakened to the ultimate secret of the Sun, granting thee infinite power…

Sun-Toranosuke Yoshida: Rank 10

Yoshida checked his watch. “Well, the night is still a little young. What say we go grab a beef bowl. For old time’s sake.” Ren nodded. The two of them went to grab dinner, and head their separate ways; certain to cross again at some point.

Notes:

151 chapters to max out a Confidant for the first time. I could have done it sooner, but there are certain things I wanted to do with the story.

Yoshida is an interesting confidant, and I always love writing his confidant chapters. I feel like he's more unique among the more regular confidants, and it shows here in this final confidant up. I like it in the game as well, but there are limitations to it that I love expanding on here.

Anyway, next time we head into Okumura's Palace. And since Palace chapters take a while, it'll be a bit. But I do hope it'll be worth it.

Enjoy.

Chapter 152: Okumura's Palace

Notes:

So, I said it would be a while, and this is a long chapter, but I decided to do this long chapter now, and then take a break to focus on some other things for a bit. But yeah, this chapter is a lot. It's nothing new to those who've been reading along and have played the game, but in a way I think that makes it interesting. Anyways, enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday before school, Ren was on the train looking at the news. She saw that the strike against Okumura had achieved a fever pitch. When she got off, she messaged the group.

Ren: I think we go in today.

Ryuji: For real?!

Ann: Are you going to be OK Haru?

Yusuke: Yes, we will probably uncover some deep secrets your father has.

Yusuke: It probably won’t be easy.

Haru: It’ll be fine.

Haru: I’ve tried taking the easy way out for far too long.

Haru: If this is difficult, but gets a direct result, then so be it.

Makoto: Haru…

Sumire: I really like that perspective.

Sumire: True wisdom befitting of a senpai.

Haru: Why, thank you.

Haru: But I had to learn it the hard way.

Lena: I think that applies to all of us in one way or another.

Jose: And even if things get too hard, we’ll be with you every step of the way.

Haru: Thank you.

Haru: I may be most of your senpai in school, but at Phantom Thieving, I’m your kohai.

Ren: Well, yes and no.

Ren: While you are the newest member, I prefer to treat everyone here as equals.

Haru: Oh! How noble!

Makoto: I agree.

Ann: Oh right. This will be your first time fully exploring a palace proper too, right Futaba?

Futaba: Yeah.

Futaba: But I’m more here for support.

Yusuke: It’s still going to be a lot.

Yusuke: Be sure to prepare yourself.

Futaba: I’ll be fine Inari!

Futaba: You’re not my dad.

Haru: I think he’s just worried about you.

Yusuke: Indeed. Also, at no point did I insinuate that I was your dad.

Futaba: Well, like I said, I’ll be fine.

Jose: I think we should all be prepared.

Jose: Since we’re entering today.

Ann: I guess that’s true too.

Ann: Some of us have been doing this palace thing since April, but it always presents new surprises.

Ren: Yeah, best be on alert no matter what.

Ren: As we saw, Okumura is ruthless, so he won’t hold back.

Ryuji: Not to mention Hiroki.

Ryuji: He’s incredibly deadset.

Lena: I can sort of understand why…

Ren: Well, no matter what, we have to give it our all to make sure the worst doesn’t happen.

Ren: Ready everyone?

Ann: Yeah!

Ryuji: Yes Ma’am!

Sumire: You know it!

Jose: Of course!

Yusuke: Of course!

Makoto: Yes.

Futaba: Lock and loaded!

Lena: You can count on me!

Haru: I’m ready!

Ren: Great!

Ren: See you this afternoon.

Ren put her phone away. She turned to Morgana in her bag. “How about you? Are you ready?”

“As always!” Morgana said. Ren nodded, determined. She headed to school.

Later in the day, Akechi walked into the prosecutor’s office. He made his way to Sae’s office and checked in with Riko. “Excuse me?” Riko looked up. “I have that information Miss Niijima asked me to help procure.”

Riko nodded, got up, and knocked on Sae’s door. “Miss Niijima! Detective

Akechi is here to see you. He says he has some information for you.” “Send him in!” Sae instructed.

Akechi walked in. “So, are you used to your secretary yet?” Sae looked at him with contempt. “Just trying to make small talk.”

“If you must know, I have,” Sae replied. “I’ve never felt so on top of everything.”

“Well, that sounds wonderful,” Akechi siad.

“So, what do you have?” Sae asked bluntly.

“Straight to the point, as always,” Akechi retorted. “Well, it’s just like you said, this protest is being orchestrated by this ‘Savior of the Apocalypse’. However, there is something interesting going on.”

“Oh?”

Akechi nodded. “He’s not only the orchestrator, but also the financier.”

Sae was stunned. “Really?” Akechi nodded. “That’s interesting.”

“I agree,” Akechi said. “Although, I don’t know how much that helps you. Okumura has no shortage of wealthy enemies.”

“True,” Sae said. “But he has no shortage of enemies period. So shortening it to those with enough money to do this is something.”

“I suppose that’s true as well,” Akechi said.

“It gives us a good start,” Sae began, “but as you said, there’s still a lot of people to go through.”

“Do you need my assistance again?” Akechi offered.

“Hmmm,” Sae pondered. “I don’t imagine your plate is empty at the moment.”

“It is not, but I’ll be alright,” Akechi said.

“Well, we could use all the help we can get…” Sae relented. “Tell you what, I’ll give you something simple enough. Okumura’s daughter goes to Shujin. I want you to see if anyone else matching their stature or wealth also attends.”

“Well, like you said, that’s simple enough,” Akechi replied.

“Plus, you might be able to figure out some members of The Phantom Thieves this way,” Sae responded.

“I see,” Akechi said. “You’re quite clever.”

“Well, you have to be when you’re dealing with something on this scale,” Sae said.

“Well, I wish you nothing but the best,” Akechi said. He stood up. “Thank you for your time.”

“Take care,” Sae said. Akechi nodded, and left.

The Phantom Thieves arrived at Okumura Foods HQ after school. “They looked around. “This is a lot of people…” Sumire responded.

“I didn’t even know it was this bad,” Haru said. “My father tends to downplay his stresses a lot around me. I knew it was big, but not this big.”

“Well, it does serve as a good distraction,” Morgana said. “I don’t think anyone has noticed us yet. We should head in before that happens.”

“Are you all ready?” Ren asked. Everyone nodded. She input the coordinates.

“Navigating,” Ren’s phone said. They all transported to the Metaverse.

They found themselves in the same post-apocalyptic desert as when they first arrived. “Pfha!” Ryuji spat. “I almost forgot about this sand.”

“Well, the sooner we get inside, the sooner we don’t have to deal with it,” Ann pointed out.

“Hold on!” Futaba called out. “Look over there!”

Everyone looked to where Futaba was pointing at. It was the field of broken robots they saw last time. Except now, the robots were online. However, they were still heavily damaged. “Woah!” Jose called out.

They looked closer, and they appeared to be holding signs and chanting anti-Okumura slogans. “I guess these are the protesters?” Haru wondered.

“Yup,” said Hiroki. The Phantom Thieves turned to look at him. “I built them up myself. They were tossed aside by your father, so I rebuilt them. And I’m going to use them to change the world.”

Haru’s face went pale. Morgana jumped in “You’re not going to go back on your word, are you?”

“Of course not!” Hiroki answered. “A gentleman never goes back on his word. But when the time comes, I will advance my army to take the ship and Okumura’s head.” The Thieves were peeved.

Ryuji asked “Why can’t we take this guy out now and save us the trouble later?”

“You wanna die?!” Hiroki asked, pointing his shotgun at Ryuji.

“I understand your logic,” Ren said, “but I feel like a confrontation right now would cause too much of a commotion. Okumura will step up his guard, and we may have a harder time getting the treasure.”

“And THAT’S our end goal here” Futaba added.

“Tch! Fine,” Ryuji scoffed. “But when the time comes, don’t expect us to hold back!”

“If you have to say that, you’re weak,” Hiroki said.

“You little…” Ryuji groaned.

“Just leave him be…” Lena said nervously.

“Right,” Makoto agreed. “Right now, our mission is to get into the ship.” Ryuji grunted some more, but nodded in agreement. The Thieves walked away.

They approached the ship. “So, how do we get in?” Yusuke asked.

“We took the front door last time,” Haru said.

“Right, but the guards outside let us in last time,” Ann said. “I doubt we’d get that lucky.” “Especially since you’re a full-fledged Phantom Thief now,” Sumire added.

“Oh, right,” Haru laughed.

“But looking around, the ship is pretty airtight,” Jose pointed out.

“It’d have to be, if it’s meant for space travel,” Ren pointed out.

Futaba began scanning the ship with her goggles. “There may be some other methods of entry,” she mentioned, “but we’d have to go there and verify each one.”

“Doing that could take forever,” Lena said.

“We could always beat the shit out of those guards,” Ryuji suggested.

“They looked pretty tough,” Morgana said. “I doubt we could defeat them and get far in our incursion.”

“There has to be a way…” Makoto said.

“HALT!” they heard one of the guards say. They turned and saw something surprising: A robotic Sae at the entrance.

“S-Sis…?” Makoto said.

“We did get the information from her…” Futaba said.

“Let’s move in closer,” Ren said. They nodded, and snuck around to get a better view.

The guard kept going. “What business do you have with Lord Okumura?”

“‘Lord Okumura’?” Jose wondered quietly.

Robo-Sae sighed. “I’ve been here before. I’m here to help Mr. Okumura.”

“What’s the password?” the guard asked. The Thieves were stunned.

Robo-Sae sighed again. “1-9-9-5-0-3-2-2.”

“Very well,” the guard said. “You may enter.” The door opened.

“Thank you,” Robo-Sae said, annoyed. She rolled in there, muttering to herself.

“Well, that was lucky,” Ryuji said.

“Indeed,” Yusuke said. “Let’s make our move before it’s too late.”

“I think you should take the lead here, Queen,” Ren suggested.

“M-Me?” Makoto replied, flustered.

“Well, she is your sister,” Lena pointed out. “You can play off of that.”

“Plus, you’re more diplomatic than some people here,” Morgana chimed in.

“Does that include you?” Ryuji remarked, snidely.

“Well, only because more people see me as a cat,” Morgana stated.

“It may also have something to do with that,” Jose pointed out.

“Yeah! Tell ‘em Jose!” Ryuji cheered.

“Let’s…just…go…” Sumire suggested. They circled back, and approached the door.

“Halt!” one of the guard’s said. “What business do you have with Lord Okumura?”

“We’re here to assist Prosecutor Niijima,” Makoto said. “We were running a little late, but she’s expecting us.”

“What’s the password?” the guard asked again.

“1-9-9-5-0-3-2-2,” Makoto repeated flawlessly.

‘Very well. You may enter,” the guard allowed them in, opening the door.

“Thank you,” Makoto said. The Thieves walked in without issue.

Once inside, the Thieves noticed Sae going the opposite direction they went last time. “Huh. Well that’s lucky,” Ryuji remarked.

“That whole situation was lucky,” Ann said.

“Well don’t get used to it,” Morgana said. “We’re now in the belly of the beast. I doubt our lucky streak will continue.”

“Maybe we should look on the bright side,” Lena suggested.

“A tad of realism wouldn’t hurt,” Yusuke said.

“Hey, Noir?” Jose wondered.

“Hm?” Haru looked back.

“Do you have any idea what those numbers are?” Jose asked.

“Huh,” Haru pondered. “You know, I’m not quite sure.”

“They must be important,” Yusuke hypothesized.

“I agree,” Makoto said. They thought about it for a bit.

“Well, whatever it means, we have it,” Ryuji said. “I think that’s the important thing.”

“Skull’s right,” Ren said. “We can think of it as we move. And I say we need to move quickly.” Everyone nodded.

They advanced to where they confronted Okumura and Hiroki’s brother with little trouble. “Well, so far, so good,” Ryuji remarked.

“Har har,” Morgana laughed sarcastically.

“We just need to keep going,” Makoto said.

“Right,” Lena agreed.

Ren looked over. “This may be our next step.” Everyone else looked at it, then walked over. Ren pressed the button, and they went down.

“So, that was an elevator, huh?” Sumire said. “Didn’t look like one.”

“Well, this is a futuristic space station,” Yusuke said. “It’s probably some sci-fi design.”

“”For once, you and I agree Inari,” Futaba said.

“Um, why does Oracle call Fox ‘Inari’?” Haru asked.

“It’s…complicated….” Makoto answered.

“Basically, Fox messed with her stuff,” Jose explained.

“What?!” Haru shrieked.

“Yeah! He touched my action figures without permission!” Futaba explained.

“Oh…That kind of stuff…” Haru said, embarrassed.

“As opposed to what?” Yusuke asked.

“N-Nothing…” Haru answered.

“OoooooooooK?” Futaba said, confused.

Ren chuckled. “Well, we should get going.” They advanced, and saw another thing that shook them. “Huh.” They looked upon an assortment of buildings in a dome. Some of the dome had this starry pattern, while others showed the dunes outside, and the rest of the dome was the inside of the ship.

“That’s…certainly something,” Makoto said.

“Tell me about it,” Ann said.

“There!” Morgana yelped, pointing to the tallest building. “The treasure is in there! I can sense it!”

“Hmmm,” Yusuke wondered. “There doesn’t seem to be a clear line to get from there to here.”

“But knowing where it is is valuable in itself,” Lena offered.

“True,” Yusuke said.

“I’m sure if we keep going, we’ll find something,” Ann said. “Nothing ventured, nothing gained!” They all nodded, and continued on.

Soon they came across another door. Ryuji tried opening it to no avail. “Is this another biometric door?” Lena asked.

“I don’t think so,” Futaba said. “I think this is just a regular door.”

“Well, it’s locked,” Jose said. “We should try to find another way.”

“Good idea,” Ren said. They found a nearby vent and shuffled through. On the other end, they found a room full of computers and stuff.

“Ooo! What a hi-tech room! I feel so excited!” Ryuji said.

“What a boyish thing to say,” Ann teased.

“Oh, there’s a room like this at the office,” Haru said. “I think it’s called the server room. Although I’m not allowed in.”

“I can understand,” Futaba said. “A server system is very delicate. Not just anyone can be let in.”

“Well, we’re thieves,” Ren said. “So we go where we please.” They moved through the room and found a big computer. “Oracle. You know what to do.”

“He he he!” Futaba chuckled. She began typing away. “Hmmmmm. I see. How sophisticated. But you’re not gonna get past me!” She continued on. “And THERE!”

“Did you do it?” Ryuji asked.

“What do you take me for?” Futaba said.

“So, all the doors are unlocked?” Makoto asked.

“Well…I couldn’t override some of them,” Futaba admitted. “But most of the doors should be open to us.”

“Well, that’s something at least,” Yusuke said.

“Plus, I got us a map of the ship!” Futaba added.

“Way to go Oracle!” Lena said.

“Wow!” Ann yelped. “This is a lot!”

“I’m glad we have a whole map this time,” Sumire said. “A half map here would be a nightmare.”

“I agree,” Ann said.

“The map also mentions something about a secret project. ‘Escape to Utopia!’”

“What does that mean?” Jose asked.

“Dunno,” Futaba answered.

“Well, we’ll probably figure it out along the way,” Lena said.

“And if we don’t, it won’t matter, cause we ain’t lettin’ Okumura escape!” Ryuji added.

“Well, should we head out?” Ren asked.

“Hold it!” Morgana said. “I think I’m sensing a Will Seed close by.”

“Will Seed?” Haru wondered.

“They’re essentially the building blocks of a Palace,” Yusuke informed her.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “We like to take them because it disrupts the palace somewhat, and it gives us some insight on the ruler.”

“But what we find can be hard at times,” Sumire said. “And since this is your father we’re dealing with, this may be a little hard for you.”

“I…understand….” Haru said. “But I want to know. He’s been spoon feeding me pretty lies, telling me things are alright and just coddling me when I didn’t need to be coddled. I want to know.”

“Well, you heard the lady,” Ren said. “Let’s look around.” They searched the room, and found some grappling hooks. “I think the Will Seed may be up there.”

“How do we get up?” Haru asked.

“I’ve got just the thing!” Morgana said. He took out a grappling hook for Haru. “Here you go!”

Haru took it. “Thank you, Mona-chan!”

Ren nodded. “Follow my lead,” she said. She whipped the grappling hook up, and jettisoned herself up. Haru followed her enthusiastically. The others followed after that, and they were soon face to face with the Will Seed door.

Ren cut the tape and pushed her way in. They all walked over and Ren picked up the Red Will Seed.  Sure enough, the voices began. “This is your third notice,” an authoritative voice said.

“What was that?” Ryuji said, confused.

“I’m…aware…” a gentle voice responded.

“Is that…?” Haru wondered.

“Hm? Do you recognize that voice?” Sumire asked.

“I think that’s my grandfather,” Haru said.

“One more, and, well, you know what will happen,” the authoritative voice said.

“I’m aware,” said the voice they believed belonged to Haru’s grandfather.

There was a pause. “You know, I do appreciate your business,” the authoritative voice said. “I’d hate to see it fall under.”

“Don’t worry,” Haru’s grandfather said. “I’ll have the money.”

“I sure hope you will,” the other voice said. “Not just for my sake, but for yours.” There were some footsteps, and the sound of a door closing.

“Are you sure we’ll be alright?” a female voice said.

“Grandmother?” Haru wondered.

Haru’s grandfather sighed. “I think so… It’ll be a stretch, that’s for sure…”

“Well, you know I’m here for you,” Haru’s grandma said.

“I know dear. I’m a little worried about Kunikazu.”

“I’m sure he’ll understand,” Haru’s grandmmother assured him. “You work so hard, I’m sure he’ll get it.”

Some footsteps were heard rushing across some stairs. A young boy’s voice then muttered sadly “Is…is that mean man the reason I can’t have my spaceship? Hmmmm. Maybe dad should work harder to make sure that mean man doesn’t come again!” That’s where the voices ended.

“That…was something…” Sumire said.

“I’m not even sure what that was,” Yusuke said.

“Do you know, Noir?” Lena asked.

Haru thought about it. “I think that was a meeting between my grandfather and a debt collector that my father may have witnessed.”

“A debt collector?” Ann wondered. “But isn’t Okumura Foods one of the richest companies?”

“That only happened after my father was in charge for a while,” Haru explained. “Before then, it only had a few tiny cafes. My grandfather was a kind man, but he lacked a traditional business sense, which led to him falling into debt constantly.”

“So, the kid we heard at the end, that must be your father,” Makoto reasoned. “It sounds like he resented that position.”

“He mentioned something about a spaceship?” Ryuji wondered.

“I believe it was a toy space ship,” Haru explained.

“Makes sense for a kid,” Futaba said.

“But we’re in a spaceship now,” Sumire said. “Do you think that’s coincidental?”

“Since it’s mentioned by the Will Seed, I doubt it,” Morgana said.

“Well, there’s only one way to know for sure,” Ren said. “Let’s keep going!” the others nodded. They made their way out of the server room, and back to the previously locked door. Once there, it opened instantaneously.

“Woah! Thanks Oracle!” Ryuji said.

“Heh heh! My pleasure,” Futaba replied. They advanced to another elevator.

Ren pressed the button, but it was heading down. “What gives?”

“Maybe someone pushed the button before we got to it,” Makoto said. “Let’s see what we can find here.”

“Very well,” Ren said. The thieves continued on down an adjacent hall until they came up to another door.

“So…when will this open?” Ryuji asked.

“It won’t,” Futaba explained. “This is one of the doors I couldn’t get.”

“What the?!” Ryuji reacted.

“Don’t worry,” Futaba said. “There’s still a way in. We just need a keycard. For this door, we need a Chief Director Key Card.”

“So, we just go steal it?” Lena said.

“Well, we’re thieves, so yeah,” Ren said.

“I see…” Lena said. Her expression lit up. “Well, what are we waiting for?”

“I think you may be a little too into this,” Makoto said.

“Well, when in Rome,” Haru said. “Let’s get stealing!”

“She’s picking this up fast,” Jose said.

“C’mon Queen! You can let loose a little,” Morgana said.

“Right…” Makoto said. “I’m just nervous. Okumura at least knows who’s behind this whole mental shutdown business. I guess I’m worried about what we might find.”

“Oh…Right…” Lena said.

“Sorry,” Makoto apologized. “I guess I go back into my default protective, overanalytic state whenever I get nervous.”

Haru giggled. “Well, I find it quite charming.” Makoto got embarrassed.

“I think it’s quite helpful too,” Yusuke said. “You bring a cooling presence to an otherwise hot tempered group.”

Makoto got a little more embarrassed. “Th…Thanks.”

Ren snickered. “Well, we should get moving.” They turned back to the elevator.

Once they got there, they heard the elevator ding. They halted themselves and saw some employee robots rush out. “Do you think they’ll have IDs?” Yusuke asked.

“Probably not the one we’re looking for,” Futaba said.

“But perhaps if we go where they’ve been, we’ll find more employees,” Haru said. “Maybe even the one we’re looking for.”

“Great idea Noir,” Makoto said.

Ren walked up to the button. “Shall we?” She pressed it, and the elevator opened up. They walked in, and went down.

When they got out, they saw more employees rushing into a room. “Hurry! Hurry!” they said. “We can’t be late, or else the Chief will be mad at us!’ They rushed into a room.

“That…seems a little too convenient…” Sumire remarked.

“It is,” Futaba said. “The Chief Director isn’t nearby.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji yelped. “So, what are we supposed to do?”

“Well, this is an organization,” Yusuke pointed out. “Perhaps we can get some other keycard that will help us get the one we need.”

“That’s actually a pretty good plan,” Makoto said.

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Lena asked.

Ren nodded. “Let’s roll.”

They walked toward the office. When they were close, they saw a different-looking robot. “That guy looks kind of tough,” Jose said.

“Should we just storm the place?” Ann said.

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “Maybe we can get some information out of them.”

Ren chuckled. “Luckily, we have the perfect cover.”

“We do?” Ann asked.

Ren nodded. “Follow my lead.” Ren walked in, and everyone else followed.

The more powerful robot took notice of them. “Halt! Why aren’t you working?!”

“We are,” Ren said. “But we don’t work here.”

“Then why are you here?!” the robot asked.

“We’re here on behalf of the Prosecutor’s Office,” Ren explained.

“Oh, I heard about that,” the robot said.

“If you don’t mind, we’d like to ask some questions of your superiors,” Ren continued.

“Bah!” the robot said. “‘Superior’ is a loaded word.”

The Thieves were shocked. “It sounds like you have some resentment.”

“You’re telling me,” the robot said. “Always calling me ‘Useless!’ He doesn’t even know I know his weak spot.”

“Oh?” Ren said. “Do tell.”

“Heh. For such a blowhard, his weakness is wind, can you believe that?” the robot said.

“Hmmm. Interesting,” Ren said. “May we speak with this blowhard?”

“Wha? OH NO! I GOT TRICKED!” the robot said. “I can’t let you meet the Section Chief now!”

“Still not the one we want,” Ryuji said.

“Well, it looks like we don’t have much of a choice here,” Sumire told him. “We need to fight!” Everyone nodded, and they engaged the robot in combat. Once they won, they picked up the Chief Clerk ID off of him.

“Well, it’s a start,” Lena said.

“Perhaps we can go further now,” Jose said.

“Yup,” Futaba told them. “At least, according to the map we have.”

“I…didn’t think you’d use THAT of all things,” Makoto said.

“Well, it gives us an excuse to be here,” Ren said.

“Although we ended up having to fight them anyway,” Ann said.

“But we did get some key information about the Section Chief,” Morgana said.

“Who is still not the Chief Director,” Ryuji said.

“One step at a time,” Sumire said. “You can’t pull off a flawless routine from the word ‘Go!’”

“But how many times are we going to need to do this song and dance?” Yusuke wondered.

“Not too many,” Haru said. “A lot of power is centralized in a few people.”

“I guess that makes sense,” Makoto said.

“It does seem like Okumura would want to trust as few people as possible,” Ren remarked. “Well, let’s find those other people then!” The others nodded, and they continued making their way through the complex.

They found an area with two even more powerful robots. “Oh great! There’s two of them!” Ryuji remarked.

“Should we just take them both down?” Lena asked.

“We know only one of them can be the Section Chief,” Makoto said. “So maybe we should figure out which one that is before rushing in.”

“YOU’RE USELESS!” one of the robots called out. “Why did they even hire you? You have to be more useless than a sack of potatoes! No, that’s wrong. Potatoes are at least delicious! You’re like a sack of dirt!”

“That didn’t take long,” Ren shrugged. She walked over there. The others followed. “Excuse me?”

“Who are you?” the probable Section Chief said.

“We’re here on behalf of the prosecutor’s office,” Ren explained. “We’d like to ask some questions of your superior.”

“Oh, THAT guy,” the robot said. “He’s always going on and on about how when HE was a kid. Get with the times, old man! You’re not a kid anymore! You’re a Chief Director! And he’s so full of himself too.”

“I can’t imagine,” Ren said.

“He keeps saying he helped make this company ‘The Best of the Best’!” the robot said. “We’re doing our best too! And yet, he looks down on us! But I know his weakness. He’s weak to psychokinesis! Pah! The old codger’s mind is going faster than we can get you a fantastic burger!”

“I see, I see,” Ren said. “Well, we’re looking to speak with them. May we have your assistance?”

“What?” the robot said. “Oh, I may have said too much. Um, can you forget I said anything?”

“Sure,” Ren said. “If you give us your key card.”

“WHAT?!” the robot shrieked. “This is extortion! Blackmail! Intimidation! A blatant threat even!”

“Ugh, I’m getting sick of hearing this guy’s voice,” Ann said.

“Well then let’s blow down this blowhard!” Morgana suggested. They battled the robots, and won. After winning, they picked up the Section Chief’s ID card.

“Well, we have the right target now,” Sumire said. “That just leaves one more of these ordeals.”

“I’d prefer if we didn’t have to do any of that,” Yusuke said, “but I guess it wouldn’t be so easy to get to the treasure, huh.”

“Plus, you have to admit, it’s a little fun,” Haru said.

“True,” Yusuke said. “Nothing else quite compares.”

“Well then, let’s face the last of these ordeals, and claim our prize!” Ren rallied. They continued moving through the area.

They came to another intersection of offices. “Again, there are two…” Ann remarked.

“But we have enough information to go off of,” Ren reminded them. “We should be able to work this out in no time.”

“What are you doing?!” one of them called out. “You’re making a mess! This company is the best of the best, and as such only employs the best of the best! If you can’t meet those standards, you’ll get fired! Back when I was a kid, if I was as sloppy and lazy as you, I’d be fired in a heartbeat!”

“Sounds like we have our target,” Sumire remarked.

“We don’t need any more information, do we?” Haru asked.

“Well, more information wouldn’t hurt,” Makoto said. “Especially since there could be a key to figuring out the information on the mental shutdowns.”

“Good idea, Queen-senpai!” Sumire said.

“Well then, we know what to do,” Ren said. They walked in. “Excuse me?”

“Hm?’ the robot said. “Who are you?”

“We’re here in conjunction with the prosecutor’s office,” Ren explained.

“Ah, I see, I see,” the robot said.

“We just have a few questions,” Ren continued.

“Of course,” the robot said.

“How much do you know about Mr. Okumura’s external dealings?” Ren asked.

“Hm,” the robot paused. “To be honest, I’m not sure. I’m with Mr. Okumura a lot, but I don’t know what happens behind closed doors, you know.”

“So, you wouldn’t know what happened with some of the mental shutdown victims?” Ren asked.

“Oh goodness, no,” the robot said. “I mean, it can’t be helped if accidents happen.”

“Well, what if this was no accident?” Ren insinuated.

“Oh!” the robot replied, stunned. He began mumbling. “Um…what did he say to say here?”

“So, you do know?” Ren asked.

“Bah! You heard that?!” the robot said. “Well, I know what to do here! Workers: Assemble!”

“I’m…not sure we got too much here…” Jose remarked.

“Well, the last guy did mention his mind is slowly going,” Yusuke said.

“Well then, let’s give him a fight he’ll never forget!” Ryuji said. They fought the robots, and even though it was tough, the Phantom Thieves won.

They searched around and grabbed the Chief Director ID card. “Finally…” Futaba said.

“Now we can go through that door!” Lena cheered.

Ren nodded. “Let’s go.” The Thieves headed back to the door they couldn’t get through earlier.

They found themselves on the outside of a series of buildings. Morgana again pointed out the tallest one. “The treasure should be at least through that building, if not inside.”

“Well, why don’t we just go around outside?” Sumire asked. “It’ll take too long to try and get through all these buildings.”

“Yeah,” Ryuji agreed. “Sometimes the direct approach is the correct approach.”

“We’ve barely scratched the surface on this whole mental shutdown thing,” Yusuke remarked.

“Well, you saw how scared his employees were,” Lena pointed out. “Even some of the higher up ones.”

“True,” Makoto said. “And this whole palace seems to deal more with how he views his work and his employees. Maybe there is more going on here than we think.”

“Well, when we steal his treasure, all will be revealed,” Ren said. “Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to get the answers right away, but you know I’d also like not to have fought a bunch of robots to get through one door.”

Makoto sighed. “I guess we’re doing things the hard way.”

The Thieves traverse the surrounding buildings to make it to the big building. “Let’s see,” Futaba said. “According to the map, through here should be the factory.”

“What are they even building?” Sumire wondered.

“Maybe it has something to do with that ‘Escape to Utopia’ thing Oracle mentioned earlier,” Jose explained.

“Perhaps,” Makoto said.

“Well, whatever it is, we’re shutting it down!” Haru said. “He’s been escaping for too long!”

“Well said,” Ren said. She opened the door, and they progressed through.

As they got further into the factory, they soon spotted a window looking over the production line. They halted their advance to look things over. The scene was of worker robots and machines breaking down every couple of seconds. “How awful!” Sumire exclaimed.

“There’s no mistake,” Makoto said. “These machines are being overworked. Probably akin to how Okumura treats his employees.”

Lena frowned. “I want to say you’re wrong, but I’ve seen this look day in and day out in my host mother.”

“Forgive me Noir,” Yusuke said, “but this kind of treatment is unacceptable!”

“No need to ask for forgiveness,” Haru said. “This looks like the layout of our company’s bun factory. This is truly horrifying.”

“Well, the nightmare will be over soon enough,” Ren assured her.

Haru smiled. “Thank you Joker.” They kept moving, and made their way to the factory floor.

As they were moving, they found it to be a straight shot to the door. “Look!” Ryuji said. “It’s just a hop, skip, and a jump! Let’s go!” Before they could though, one of the mechanical arms broke, and caused some boxes to collapse in front of them. “HOLY SHIT!”

“We were almost thief sandwiches!” Jose called out.

“I feel like we keep switching between things being easy and difficult for us,” Yusuke remarked.

“I mean, the fact that anything is easy at all is nice,” Lena said.

“Ture,” Yusuke agreed.

“Let’s look around,” Morgana said. “I’m sure there’s something we can use to get across.”

They turned back a little to see another mechanical arm next to a console. “Maybe this could be of assistance,” Ren suggested. She opened up the console. “Hm. It looks like this controls the arm speed. It can go up to 10 times.”

“I fear that even going doubletime will cause something adverse to happen,” Futaba noted.

“Well, we’re at an impasse, so we should at least try,” Ren said. “Here goes nothing.” She increased the speed to 10X. The arm freaked out and collapsed. “Good thing it didn’t land on us.”

“You’re telling me,” Ann said. “I almost had a heart attack.”

“Perhaps we can use this as a bridge?” Haru suggested.

“Well, I don’t see any other way,” Futaba said. “Let’s roll!” They crossed the impromptu bridge to the other side. Once there, some turned to the right, but Futaba noticed something on the left. “Hold on.”

“What is it Oracle?” Jose asked.

Futaba slinked to a console on some shelves. “Hmmm,” she observed. “This computer has something important.”

“As opposed to the other ones on the shelves?” Yusuke asked.

“Those ones are just employee data,” Futaba said. “I ran a scan earlier, and found nothing important. Except for this one.”

“Well, let’s see what’s inside!” Ryuji said, excitedly.

Futaba began looking into it. “Hm? ‘Will Seed Protection’?”

“Come to think of it, I think I sensed a faint trace of a Will Seed before we got in here,” Morgana said.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Ryuji asked.

“Well…we were talking about the robots, and…” Morgana stuttered.

“It’s fine,” Haru assured him. “We’re here now, and that’s what counts.”

“Thanks Noir,” Morgana said.

“There!” Futaba exclaimed. “The security should be off.”

“So, do we have to go back all the way around?” Lena asked.

“Why?” Ren asked in response. “There’s a shortcut right here.” She pointed to a stack of boxes. She grappling hooked her way up, with the others following. They grappled to a window and landed in the rafters of the earlier area.

“Oh!” Morgana exclaimed. “That’s why it was faint.”

“What do you mean?” Sumire asked.

“The signal is stronger up here,” Morgana explained. “All we need to do is explore this upper area, and we should find it in no time!”

“I see!” Sumire said. “How astute.”

They climbed the rafters, and soon enough found a vent that led to the second Will Seed Door. “Look at those machines!” Lena pointed out.

“I’m guessing that was the security,” Jose added.

“Well, it’s off now,” Futaba told them. “So this Will Seed is ripe for the taking!” Ren nodded, and they entered.

Once Ren grabbed a hold of the green Will Seed, some more voices sounded off.

“Cheers!” Okumura’s voice rang out. The sound of glasses clinking sounded soon after.

“He’s not a kid in this one?” Lena wondered.

“It’s amazing what you’ve done darling,” a female voice said.

“Who is that?” Ryuji wondered.

“Mother?!” Haru said, her face going pale.

“Mother?!” Makoto replied.

“Of course,” Okumura said.

“It’s amazing you managed to turn your family company into such a powerhouse,” Haru’s mom said.

“Well, it was nothing,” Okumura replied. “My father is an honest man, but he didn’t have the best business sense. If I wanted to save our company, I had to learn all the tools of the trade; while still bringing my father’s brand of honest workmanship to the table, of course.”

“Well, you’re doing a very exceptional job,” Haru’s mom said.

“Well, I’d be at a less better place without you darling,” Okumura said. “Which leads me to my next question.” There was a pause. “Hana, will you marry me?”

The Thieves were surprised. “Yes!” Hana said. “Of course, yes! Yes Kunikazu!” The two shared a laugh. “You’ve made me the happiest woman in the world.

“And you made me the happiest man,” Okumura replied.

The voices ended there. “Huh,” Ann said.

“I…remember now…” Haru said. Everyone looked at her. “Those numbers. 1-9-9-5-0-3-2-2. That was my parent’s wedding date. March 22nd, 1995.”

“Why didn’t you think of that earlier?” Sumire wondered.

“Well…unfortunately, my mother is no longer with us,” Haru said. “Over time, it just became another day.”

“Noir…” Morgana said, solemnly.

“I have to wonder,” Ren said, “if that has any relation to how Okumura became the way he is now.”

“Well, we still have one more Will Seed,” Yusuke pointed out.

“I almost don’t want to know,” Lena admitted.

“Averting our eyes from the truth gains us nothing,” Haru said. “I know it’s a lot, but…”

“I know…” Lena said. “I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for,” Haru assured her. “I can’t imagine this would be easy for anyone.”

“I’m sure we’ll get the Okumura we heard here back sooner or later,” Ren assured her.

Haru nodded. “Thank you Joker.”

Ren nodded back. “Let’s move.” The Thieves left the Will Seed Room, and continued back to the export line.

They continued on, messing with the mechanical arms as needed to create bridges and move to the end of the room. “Whew!” Ryuji sighed. “Took long enough.”

“I feel like that sentiment is what caused this whole situation in the first place…” Jose remarked.

Ryuji was speechless. “Don’t worry,” Ann assured him. “We get what you meant.” Ryuji sighed again.

“Let’s move on,” Ren instructed.

The room they entered had a series of hydraulic presses. As they advanced, they saw another door. “Looks like that’s our way in!” Sumire said.

“But how?” Jose asked.

“I think we’ll have to traverse those hydraulic presses,” Lena pointed out.

“But to get there, we need to nullify the security,” Futaba added, pointing to the lasers.

Ren looked over. “Here’s another console. It worked last time. Let’s see what we can do here.” She went up to it. “So, these settings are different.”

“How so?” Makoto asked.

“These settings are ‘Unpaid Overtime’, ‘Break’, and ‘Lunch’,” Ren informed them.

“Try ‘Lunch’,” Ryuji suggested. “It might bring the heat off of us for a bit.” Ren nodded, and set it to “Lunch”.

“Attention!” the computer announced. “It is now Lunch Time! Lunch will last for 30 seconds! Please enjoy your meals!”

“30 seconds?!” Ann exclaimed.

“Let’s move!” Ren said. They rushed down to another area with another console, getting there just in the knick of time.

Once on the other side, they sighed. “Ugh. Maybe we should have done ‘Break’,” Ryuji suggested.

“Actually Skull,” Futaba said, “that was the right choice. ‘Unpaid Overtime’ does nothing, and ‘Break only lasts for 5 seconds.”

“FIVE?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“These employees truly don’t know a moment’s rest,” Yusuke said.

“Well, I imagine it’s longer in the real world,” Sumire said. “But I doubt the effect changes all that much…”

“These poor workers…” Haru said.

“Don’t worry Noir,” Ann said. “We’ll soon change your father’s heart, and this’ll be over.”

Haru smiled. “You’re right. “Thanks.”

“So, what now?” Jose asked.

“Well, this console here,” Futaba said, gesturing to it, “actually controls those lasers we saw earlier.”

“Let’s turn them off and get going,” Ren said. She went up and turned off the security, before setting things to ‘Lunch’ again. They made a break for the console beyond the now downed fence. They set it to ‘Lunch’ again, and made their way to the next room.

The next room had a combination of arms to overcharge and hydraulic presses to just narrowly cross. A little into exploring it, they noticed another door. “Oo! There!” Lena pointed out. “I think that’s our ticket out!”

“You’re right, but there’s another set of lasers,” Futaba said.

“But there is another hydraulic press,” Sumire pointed out. “Perhaps we can get over using that.”

“True, but look over there,” Yusuke said.

They saw some strained robots. Yet, they started saying “For the good of our leader Okumura! For the Good of Okumura Foods! We will work FOREVER!”

“What is that?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“Do they…like being overworked?” Jose wondered.

“Well, that’s tough,” Makoto said. “They’ve been worked hard enough where they adapt by accepting this kind of abuse.”

“How sad,” Jose said.

“A sad, but true facet of humans,” Yusuke added. “I was like that until I met all of you.”

“Fox…” Ann said.

“Well, just like then, we’re here now,” Sumire said. “And once we steal Okumura’s heart, they’ll be given time to relax.”

Haru frowned. “Are you OK Noir?” Ren asked.

Haru took a deep breath. “I said I’ll come along and take in this horror. I can’t escape the consequences of my actions like my father has been for so long.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ann said. “Let’s make our way over there!” They nodded, and through some more maneuvering and machine trickery, they managed to get to the other side.

“I feel like once we approach, a fight will break out,” Makoto said.

“We probably won’t be able to get any info out of them either,” Lena said.

“Well, we don’t have much of a choice here,” Ann said. “You OK Noir?” Haru nodded. “Alright, let’s go!”

The robots turned to meet the thieves. “Halt! You are trespassing on the land of the great Okumura! We shall stop you!” They fought, but these robots were easy to take down.

“That…was faster than expected…” Lena said.

“Well, they are overworked, brainwashed, and practically running on empty,” Morgana pointed out. “I’m amazed they managed to put up any kind of fight.”

“Why are they here though?” Jose said. “I get that Okumura would be aware that some employees are working in a begrudged state, but how would Okumura know about these kinds of employees?”

“Well, look around,” Ryuji said. “He has an iron-fisted grip on everything. I wouldn’t be surprised if he knows all of this.”

“But Sunshine has a point,” Sumire said. “He’d have to know he’s abusing them to this extent.”

“I think that’s exactly what’s happening unfortunately,” Makoto said.

“Father…” Haru said. They went into the next room. What they saw truly scared them. Haru gasped as they saw a conveyor belt full of broken employee robots funneling into the engine of the ship. The Thieves were speechless.

Haru sighed. “So…this is how you view your employees.” She grew angry, gripping her fist tightly. “I’ll never forgive this.”

Ren nodded. “Right. Let’s…keep going.” The thieves nodded, and rode the elevator up.

They exited the elevator and found themselves in a strange room with seemingly no exit. “Huh?!” Ann said, shocked. “What’s going on here?!”

“According to the map,” Futaba said, “this was the airlock room. While the ship is in space, we would have had to travel through space to get to the next area.” “And that area is where the treasure is,” Morgana said.

“So, what do we do now?” Lena asked.

“Heh heh heh,” Eris laughed from behind. The thieves turned to face her, as she pushed through them. “Allow me.” She used some magic to create a series of pneumatic tubes to traverse them. “There. But you still need to solve the puzzle to make it through.”

“Um…thanks?” Haru wondered.

“Ho ho!” Eris chuckled. “My first ‘thanks’. You truly are exemplary.”

Haru was confused. “Noir, this is Eris,” Ren informed her.

Haru gasped. “I…I retract my thanks.”

“Too late,” Eris said. “It’s mine forever.” The thieves were angry.

“Sorry…” Haru said.

“Oh, uh, don’t worry about it,” Makoto said. “You didn’t know.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “She comes and helps us out from time to time.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing,” Eris said. The others were still angered.

However, Haru stepped forward. “Um, pardon me for asking, but why do you do what you do?”

Everyone was stunned. “Why dear, I’m here to cause chaos,” Eris answered.

“But why?” Haru asked. “Why here? Why now?”

“I suppose that is a fair question,” Eris replied. “And as the first Phantom Thief thankful for my gift. I suppose I’ll give you an answer.” Everyone was shocked. “But you’re not ready for the whole thing yet. I will tell you this though: when I was created, I thought to myself ‘my existence is wrong’.” The thieves were REALLY shocked. “‘I wasn’t worth anything’. ‘I don’t belong’. Stuff like that. “But as I got accustomed to things, I thought ‘Why should I apologize? Why is my existence wrong? Perhaps it’s everyone else’s existence that’s wrong’. However, I decided to show mercy and instead of getting rid of everyone, I instead decided to change everyone. Unleash their inner potential. No longer bound by meaningless chains, free to do whatever they please instead of hiding behind a veneer of order and compliance.”

“Is this ‘freedom’ what you gave to Hiroki?” Haru asked.

”That’s right,” Eris answered.

“Well, I don’t think it’s very freeing,” Haru countered.

“Excuse me?” Eris wondered.

“You just trapped him in your chains instead of those of another,” Haru continued. “I don’t think that’s very free.”

“Hm,” Eris said. “I suppose it’d be hard for you to understand. But it’ll come to you in due time. Ta ta!” Eris faded.

“Holy shit!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Sorry again,” Haru said.

“No, it’s fine,” Ren replied. “You don’t have to worry. After all, we have bigger fish to fry.”

“Besides, now you know,” Sumire said.

“And you just nailed her to the wall,” Futaba exclaimed. “I gotta say, that was pretty badass.”

Haru giggled. “Thank you!”

“Well, now we have a way through,” Morgana said.

“But didn’t she say we needed to solve a puzzle to get through?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, we’ve come this far,” Jose said. “We can make it the rest of the way.”

Ren chuckled. “You’re right Sunshine. Now let’s put our money where our mouth is!” They all nodded, and continued on. They went through the pneumatic tube and then up the subsequent elevator.

Upon arriving, they noticed that one of the airlocks was locked. “Huh?! What’s going on?!” Ann asked.

“That one is functioning, but that one is locked,” Sumire surmised. “How peculiar.”

“Do we just not need some?” Lena asked.

“I don’t think that’s the case,” Makoto said.

“Perhaps this is what Eris meant by ‘puzzle’,” Yusuke suggested.

“Probably,” Futaba agreed. “Let’s keep moving.” They went through the next pneumatic tube.

On the other side, they saw a set of switches. “Those look like the symbols on the airlock doors,” Haru pointed out. Ren went to flip one. When she did, she noticed that the other one flipped on its own. They then saw that the corresponding locks switched from locked to unlocked, and vice versa.

“Oh, so that’s how it works,” Morgana said.

“So, so long as we can figure out what switches to flip when, we’ll make it through here,” Lena said.

“Sounds about right,” Futaba said.

As they continued on, Morgana noticed something. “Hey!”

“What is it?” Ann asked.

“I think I sense the third Will Seed,” Morgana informed them.

“Of course it’s here,” Ryuji lamented.

“Well, let’s pick it up, and then we’ll get back on track,” Ren suggested. They flipped the necessary switches to get to the Will Seed room, but they saw it was guarded by a powerful shadow.

“Oh my!” Haru exclaimed.

“Well, not turning back now!” Ren rallied. “Let’s go!” They rushed in.

The shadow noticed them, “What do we have here?! Some lazy slackers, neglecting their duty! Well, let me re-educate you!” The thieves engaged with the powerful shadow. It was very touch-and-go, but in the end, the thieves came out on top.

They were a little exhausted. “Well, let’s claim our prize,” Ren said. They entered the room, and took the last Will Seed.

The voices sprang up again.

“What do you MEAN?!” Okumura yelled.

“Calm down Mr. Okumura,” said another voice.

“‘Calm down’?!” Okumura repeated indignantly. “My wife is DYING, and you’re telling me there’s nothing you can do, and you expect me to CALM DOWN?!”

“What the shit…” Ryuji interjected.

“I really wish we could do something,” the other voice said. “I really do.”

“Isn’t there SOMETHING?!” Okumura demanded. “I heard about an experimental procedure! Can’t you do that?”

“...Unfortunately, as you said, the procedure is experimental,” the other voice told him. “It’s far too expensive, and there’s no guarantee it’ll work.” There was a brief silence. “I’m sorry Mr. Okumura.” There were footsteps leaving, and then the sound of someone collapsing.

Okumura muttered. “If I had more money…I could save her… GAHHHHHHHH!”

The voices ended. “Well, that was…a lot….” Yusuke admitted.

“You’re telling me,” Makoto said.

“I…I had no idea of any such procedure…” Haru said.

“How old were you?” Sumire asked.

“I was five,” Haru answered.

“Well no wonder,” Makoto said.

Haru started tearing up. “Hey Noir?” Ryuji asked. “Are you OK?”

“Huh?” Haru said, looking up. “Oh, well, um… I don’t know. I didn’t think I’d see this coming in.”

“We all have seen some stuff that reminds us of our scars,” Lena said. “It’s quite harrowing. But I can’t imagine that makes it any easier for you.”

Haru walked over and hugged Lena. “Thank you.” Lena smiled and hugged her back.

Ren sighed. “Well, as difficult as this may be, let’s see the final piece of the puzzle.” Ren held the Will Seeds together, and they fused into The Crystal of Greed. The Crystal of Greed projected an image.

The image was a somber one of Okumura sitting in a chair all alone, He sighed. A butler approached. “Is everything alright sir?’ he asked.

Okumura stood up. “I’m going to go for a walk,” he said. “To get some fresh air.” He left his house. He kept walking for a while. He sighed. “Hana. Why did this happen to you?” He glanced at the building next to him. He was surprised, as it was a toy store that specialized in selling old toys. And through the window, he saw the toy he wanted as a child, but couldn’t because his family was always strapped financially.

He scowled. “Of course… It's money. The answer is always money. My father was an honest man, but he had no money. I tried being honest, and I still didn’t have enough money. The ones with the most money are those who take it by force. Tch. I see. To protect what I have left, I need to be one of those people. If you aren’t abusing the system, you’re being abused. Well, I will be abused no longer!” He looked at the toy spaceship again. “Don’t worry sweetie. I’ll come by to pick you up later.” The vision ended.

The thieves were stunned. “I…feel like that was a bit of an overreaction,” Jose pointed out.

“I can’t say I don’t understand…” Sumire said. “But I can’t agree.”

“It’s true that not having enough is stressful,” Yusuke said. “But this seems excessive.”

“Father…” Haru muttered. The others looked at her. “You said you wanted to protect what you had left. Yet you don’t want to protect me anymore! You don’t want to protect your reputation as a kind person! You just want to protect yourself! Well, you won’t be able to protect yourself for much longer! Because we are The Phantom Thieves, and we will steal your desires!”

“Heh,” Futaba chuckled. “I see the fire reignited in you.”

“Oh, uh, was that too much?” Haru said, embarrassed.

“Not at all,” Makoto said. “It shows the strength of your conviction.”

“Thank you Queen,” Haru said.

“Well, now that that’s taken care of, let’s make our way to the treasure,” Ren instructed. They all nodded, and headed out. They flipped some more switches, and flew through some more tubes, and then found themselves going up the next elevator.

They found another set of locks and tubes. “OK everyone!” Morgana said. “This should be the last roadblock to the treasure. Let’s give it everything we’ve got!” They nodded, and moved forward.

They proceeded to go through the tubes some more, flipping switches when necessary. They also noticed that this time around, the doors would close automatically behind the, “How peculiar,” Haru said.

“We should be careful,” Makoto warned. “We don’t want to trap ourselves.”

“Seeing as how Okumura has to navigate this too, I doubt that'll happen,” Futaba pointed out.

“Regardless, we don’t want to run around like headless chickens mixing up doors,” Ren said. They nodded and pressed onward.

It was a bit tricky, but they managed to get the airlock they needed open and rode through the tubes to get to a giant elevator. “Heh heh, the treasure’s just around the corner!” Morgana exclaimed. They rode the elevator down.

Once they exited, they found  themselves in the weapon productions room. “Look!” Jose said. “Doesn’t that look like the stuff the factory was making?”

“Now that you mention it…” Ann said.

“But what is it?” Yusuke asked. “It’s hard to tell from here.”

“Probably some sci-fi thing to go with all of this,” Futaba answered, uncertain herself.

“I’m sure we’ll figure out when we send the calling card,” Ren said.

They all nodded. Haru looked over to her left.. “Um, guys? Look over here!” They all looked and saw another pneumatic tube. “Where do you suppose this leads?”

“Hmmm,” Futaba said. “According to the map, this is the edge of the palace from the inside.”

“Perhaps this leads outside,” Makoto said.

“So we can just go in and get to the treasure right away?” Ryuji asked. “That’s cool!”

Ren walked over to it. She found a note. It read “Your welcome! -Eris” “This is from Eris,” Ren said.

“Well…still…” Ryuji said. “We’ve never said no to her doing this stuff before, right? As much as I hate to admit it.”

“Well, the treasure is in here,” Morgana pointed out. “So let’s move!” They nodded and continued on.

They found their way to the treasure. “Well, here we are!” Ren said.

They looked around. There were wall to wall banners for Project: Escape to Utopia! “I guess it makes sense that the treasure is near Okumura’s secret project,” Sumire said.

Haru tensed up. “How many lives have you ruined trying to get to utopia father?” Haru asked.

Ren put a hand on her shoulders. “Well, we’ll make sure no more lives get ruined in the Okumura name.”

Haru smiled. She then nodded, and said “I’m ready whenever you are.”

Ren let go, smiling. “We’ll send the calling card when we’re all ready,” Morgana said. “For now, let’s head out.” They nodded, and started to leave. They went to the pneumatic tube and slid down to the outside, and from there returned back to the real world.

Notes:

Like I said, this was a lot. I feel like making Okumura a little more sympathetic in a sense shapes a counterbalance. This person is completely ruthless in pursuit of whatever he wants, but seeing him slide down to that position makes things interesting. There's another aspect to it that I think I'll tackle in the next chapter, although I think you're sort of aware of what that is. But just in case, I won't say anything. Thanks for reading.

Chapter 153: Working as a Unit

Notes:

I know I said last time I'd probably take a bit of a break, but I figured this chapter would be short enough to just do and then break from this story.

I've also been thinking about what happens next. I don't want to ruin the surprise, but things are going to get going, and figuring out how they go is something to say the least. I have a basic outline, but the detail is a whole other thing, and working that out might not be the easiest thing. But I've come this far already, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Enjoy!

Chapter Text

Ren walked into LeBlanc, exhausted. “Busy day, huh?” Sojiro remarked.

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“How’s Futaba?” Sojiro asked.

“She’s holding up alright,” Ren informed him. “But this was her first time inside a palace that wasn’t her own.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Well, it’s just about time to close anyway.” He started to leave. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Ren replied. Sojiro left. Ren’s phone went off. She checked it.

Haru: Just so I’m clear, we send the calling card, and then we go and steal the treasure, and then father’s heart will change, yes?

Makoto: That’s correct.

Haru: Just making sure.

Yusuke: This will almost certainly lead to your father’s arrest. Will you be alright in the aftermath?

Haru: I’d…like to think so, but I’m not sure.

Jose: Well, no matter what, we’ll be there for you.

Haru: Thank you Jose.

Lena: There is something I’m a little confused by.

Ann: Oh?

Lena: Okumura may be behind this mental shutdown business, right?

Lena: Why did we only get like half a glimpse into that?

Yusuke: I’ll admit, that is a little concerning as well.

Makoto: If I may, the Will Seeds told us he started going down this path after his wife died.

Makoto: That was a long time ago.

Makoto: The mental shutdown business is a recent development, so maybe the palace speaks more to what caused him to go down this path rather than something new that came along.

Sumire: That’s not a bad guess.

Sumire: But it’s still chilling. He went from this kind caring person to someone with no regard for human life.

Sumire: I know death is hard to deal with, but something about this doesn’t seem right.

Ryuji: Well, people can change in unexpected ways.

Ann: But now that you mention it, it does seem a little off.

Ann: I know he benefited from a good chunk of the shutdowns, but why do the others?

Futaba: That’s not a bad question actually.

Futaba: It does seem outside his purview to do something that benefits someone who isn’t him.

Yusuke: He could be taking in money for it.

Makoto: True, but then I think he’d get discovered faster.

Ren: How so?

Makoto: He’s a very greedy person by nature. These attacks are essentially professional assassinations, and those don’t come cheap. If Okumura were raking in that kind of money on a regular basis, he’d amass unrivaled wealth, and wealth tends to get noticed.

Sumire: So, you’re saying that he’s not taking in the money because he’d keep it, and his bank account would raise suspicion, correct?

Makoto: Correct.

Jose: So, if he isn’t selling, he’s buying. Is that also right?

Makoto: That’s my theory anyway.

Ren: And since according to the data, he’s a frequent buyer with a lot of money, he’d know who we’re looking for.

Makoto: That is also correct.

Futaba: But what if he’s spending it on something?

Haru: He is trying to run for public office.

Yusuke: Campaigns aren’t cheap.

Ryuji: But he’s already so rich.

Ryuji: I’d think he could just buy his way to victory.

Ann: Don’t underestimate someone’s greed, especially if it’s out of control.

Jose: But even taking in money to spend on a campaign would get noticed too, right?

Jose: Especially if said campaign didn’t put a dent in your wallet.

Sumire: That’s actually a really strong point.

Yusuke: So, Okumura may not be our big target?

Ren: Sounds like it.

Ren: But that’s not to say there’s no point to all of this.

Ren: Doing this brings us one step closer to finding out who is pulling the levers of power.

Ren: Plus, Okumura is a villain in his own right, so even if we aren’t stopping the big bad, we’re taking down someone heinous nonetheless.

Haru: It’s true. Changing the heart of someone so devious should be a priority, regardless of what you get out of it.

Makoto: You’re right.

Makoto: I think we’re all just a little scared.

Sumire: I mean, whoever is behind all of this is a known murderer.

Sumire: It’s hard not to worry about what’ll happen if you get found out first.

Haru: I understand your concern.

Haru: But I’ve been worried so long not doing anything.

Haru: So, at least for me, I feel better trying and failing over not trying at all.

Ann: Thanks Haru.

Ann: I felt that way after getting my power for the first time and being able to deal with Kamoshida.

Ann: So I get it.

Lena: Getting a fresh perspective on things is oftentimes helpful.

Yusuke: True. And I feel like Haru ‘s perspective on things is just what this team needs.

Haru: I’m not sure about that.

Futaba: You know, this was my first time out to a palace too, Inari.

Yusuke: Your input is valuable too.

Yusuke: But we’ve been acquainted for a little while now.

Yusuke: Haru is newer than you, so when I said “this team” I included you as well.

Ann: You might still be a little forward.

Ryuji: I mean, this is Yusuke we’re talking about.

Ryuji: I feel like he’s a bit “forward” in pretty much everything he says.

Jose: It’s true.

Jose: I’ve heard people at Kosei say that if he didn’t open his mouth, he’d have 100 girlfriends.

Futaba: Or touched people’s things without permission…

Sumire: Sounds like Yusuke…

Haru: Don’t worry Yusuke, I’m sure you'll find a girlfriend someday.

Yusuke: Thanks, but I'm currently not looking.

Ann: You know, some say that when you’re not looking, love will find you.

Ren: Or that it’s right in front of you, and you just can’t see it.

Yusuke: Ah! So it’s a trick of perspective then!

Yusuke: Such tricks are often used in paintings.

Ren: …Sure.

Makoto: Anyways, we should get back on track.

Makoto: Now that we have a route to the treasure, we should prepare ourselves to send the card.

Lena: Do you just wanna go in right away like last time?

Jose: We’ve actually done it the last two times.

Ryuji: I know we have, but I’m still kind of exhausted.

Ren: We do have until the 11th, so that gives us some time.

Haru: I’m fine with holding off too.

Haru: I don’t want to arouse suspicion in my father.

Makoto: Good point.

Makoto: It’s up to Ren when we should.

Ren: I’ll make sure we’re all ready.

Ren: Anyway, we should get some sleep.

Ren: I know I’m tired.

Ann: Same.

Ren: Goodnight.

Ann: Goodnight.

Sumire: Goodnight.

Lena: Goodnight.

Ryuji: Goodnight.

Jose: Goodnight.

Futaba: Goodnight.

Haru: Goodnight.

Makoto: Goodnight.

Yusuke: Goodnight.

Ren put her phone away and headed upstairs.

A little later, as she was settling into the sheets, Morgana popped down to the bed. He started walking around, but couldn't  lay down. Ren noticed this. “You feeling alright?”

“Well…” Morgana said. “Mmmmmmmmm. I’m just thinking about something.”

“You wanna talk?” Ren asked.

“Mmmmmm,” Morgana hesitated. “Well…” He sighed. “Do you think we’re doing the right thing?”

Ren was puzzled. “Where did that come from?”

“Well, I mean…” Morgana replied. “I know we aren’t necessarily in danger, but looking at all the palace rulers so far, they lost something precious to them, and they went down a bad path. If all it takes is one bad day for someone to go from good to bad, well, how do we fix that? How do we make sure no one has a bad day?”

Ren was a little stunned. She reached over, picked up Morgana, and gave him a hug. “I know. It’s hard. We can’t save everyone, no matter how much we wish we could.” She let go of Morgana. “But the fact that we can save someone is important. Remember, The Phantom Thieves are plural. One person helps another, and another, and the chain goes on. Same with humanity. As much as we like to express our individuality at times, we work best when we come together. I know we wouldn’t be where we are without you.”

Morgana smiled, then frowned. “But what about that saying ‘A chain is only as strong as its weakest link’? Will humanity’s weakest link be its downfall?”

“Well, uhhhhh,” Ren said, again flustered, “I’d like to think that that’s not the case. But we’ve seen some heinous people going around, so…I can’t be 100% sure. But I can be fairly certain that even that weakest link can be protected by the stronger links around it.”

“I see…” Morgana said. “I’ve gotta say, maybe I don’t envy your position as much as I thought I did.”

“Well, the grass is always greener on the other side,” Ren assured him. “What you don’t have can be enticing. But just remember what you do have, and it should all be OK.”

Morgana nodded. “I wouldn’t trade the lot of you for the world.

Magician-Morgana: Rank 8

Ren giggled. “Well, good night Morgana.”

“G’night,” Morgana replied, curling up. The two of them fell asleep soon after.

Meanwhile, Sumire was laying on her bed, pandering things. She sighed, and turned to face her desk. She tilted her head up to look at the papers and accompanying ribbon. “Third place, huh,” she muttered to herself. “I guess I need to try harder next time…” She smiled, but a tear fell down her face. She turned over and fell asleep.

Chapter 154: Don’t Get Stressed (It’s Gon Get Figured Out)

Notes:

Originally, I had wanted to work on some other stuff, but I was advised to take a proper break by Kovakhiin, and I decided to do so. And boy, did I need it. So thanks Kovakhiin. And the rest of you, go check out her fic inspired by mine and another fic. It's called "The Shattered Metaverse", and the link is at the end of the work, but I'll post it here too:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/45157408/chapters/113598499

But I do find working on this fic relaxing itself, which is why I came back to it. I needed something like this, and I think this chapter's pretty good. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren got a message from Yumeko.

Yumeko: Hey.

Yumeko: Can we talk?

Ren: Sure.

Ren: Anywhere in particular?

Yumeko: Um…not…school?

Ren: I know just the place. Meet me at the gate.

Yumeko: OK.

She put her phone away. She went down to meet Yumeko, and guided her to Leblanc.

As they walked in, Ren said “Here we are.”

Yumeko stepped in and looked around. “This place seems peaceful.”

“It is,” Ren told her.

Sojiro came around the corner. “Oh? A new friend?” Ren nodded. Sojiro nodded back. “Well, you’re welcome here any time.”

Yumeko was shook. “Th…Thanks.”

“You want something to eat?” Ren asked.

“...Sure…” Yumeko replied. “What do you have?”

“Our specialty is coffee and curry,” Sojiro informed her, “but we have other items.”

“I’ll…just go with that,” Yumeko said.

Sojiro nodded. “Can do.” He started heading to the kitchen.

“I’ll take some too, boss!” Ren called out.

“On it!” Sojiro called back. He began cooking.

While they were waiting, Ren and Yumeko sat at a booth. Yumeko was nervous. “So, what’s on your mind?”

Yumeko hesitated for a bit. “Well…I’ve started making friends like you said.”

“That’s good,” Ren replied. “How’s that going for you?”

“It’s going…alright…” Yumeko said. “My new friends still see me as kind of weird, but they don’t seem to mind.”

“Well, we all have to start somewhere,” Ren said. “I’m always nervous about talking to people I haven’t really talked to before.”

“Really?!” Yumeko wondered. “Huh…”

“Like I said, I wasn’t always the person you see in front of you,” Ren reminded her.

Yumeko nodded. “I know...But…” Yumeko sighed. “When it comes to the boy I like…I feel too afraid.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

Yumeko was hesitant again. “...Every time I get close…he’s always talking about this aura…watching him…and not liking the things I gave him…”

“I…I see…” Ren said.

“How?!” Yumeko pleaded. “How can I talk to him without letting him know that’s all me?!” Tears started forming in her eyes.

Ren was a little tense. “That…does seem difficult.”

“It’s impossible!” Yumeko cried.

Ren thought about it for a minute. “So, why not try doing what is possible?”

“What do you mean?” Yumeko said.

“Well…” Ren was hesitant this time. “Why don’t you tell him the truth?”

“WHAT?!” Yumeko said. “Are you CRAZY?!”

“I mean, you told me the truth,” Ren said. “And we’re friends now, right?”

Yumeko was shocked. “...I…guess…”

“I know it’s not easy…” Ren said. “Believe me.”

“Oh yeah...So…how did you ask your girlfriend out?” Yumeko asked.

“Well…she asked me out,” Ren said. “But I have plenty of other things I don’t tell the average person.”

“Like what?” Yumeko naked.

Ren paused for a moment. “Well, you know one of them.”

“Oh, right,” Yumeko said.

“But I’ll give you another,” Ren assured her. “I was arrested.”

“For real?!” Yumeko said. “For what?”

“I saw a woman being forced in a man’s car,” Ren said. “I intervened. Long story short, he fell down and blamed it on me. He won.”

“Bastard!” Yumeko shouted, pounding the table. “...Sorry…”

Ren giggled. “It’s fine.” Yumeko still looked a little conflicted. “Tell you what: Whenever you’re ready, I’ll come to tell him with you.”

Yumeko was surprised. “You…You’d do that?”

“Of course,” Ren said.

Yumeko thought about the offer. “...Well…if you’re there…I guess I’ll do it…”

“That’s the spirit” Ren cheered.

“BUT!” Yumeko interrupted. “I need time to prepare.”

“Of course,” Ren replied.

“...Thanks,” Yumeko said, sheepishly.

Charity-Yumeko Mogami: Rank 2

Sojiro dropped off their orders. “Hey you go, girls.”

“Thanks boss!” Ren said. She started eating.

Yumeko took a forkful of curry. She blew on it, and then took a bite. Her face lit up. “MMMMMMMMMMM! This is DELICIOUS!”

Ren chuckled. “Glad you enjoy.” They continued eating, and chatted for a bit. After a little while, Yumeko left.

A little later, Ren got another message.

Ohya: Hey kid, you got a second?

Ohya: I’ve got some information for you.

Ren: Isn’t it usually the other way around?

Ohya: Of course I want some info.

Ohya: But I’ve got a gift for you this time.

Ren: I like gifts.

Ohya: Well then, you know where to find me.

Ren: OMW!

Ren put her phone away and headed out.

She arrived at Crossroads a little later. Ohya greeted her with her usual enthusiasm. “Hey kid! How’s it going?

“It’s going,” Ren answered. She sat at the bar. “I’ll take a soda.”

“Comin’ up!” Lala said.

“So, what do you have for me?” Ren asked.

“Straight to the point, eh?” Ohya said. “I guess that’s fair.” She took a sip of her drink. “So, you know how The Phantom Thieves are going after Okumura. I decided to do a little digging.”

Ren received her soda. “What did you find?” she asked.

“So, Okumura Foods has their fingers in a lot of things,” Ohya said. “Big Bang Burger is their biggest thing, but they have a few more operations.” She took another drink. “One of them is Starfall Coffee.”

“Oh,” Ren said, surprised. “I think I’ve heard of that…”

“You’re not a fan?” Ohya asked.

“I get my coffee elsewhere,” Ren replied.

“Hm,” Ohya said. “Well, I’m not much of a coffee person myself.”

“I can see that…” Ren replied.

“Har har,” Ohya laughed, sarcastically. “But I’m glad I’m not. At least after what I found out.”

“Which is…?” Ren inquired.

Ohya took a big gulp of her drink. “Ah!” She turned to Ren. “Well, this is gonna sound crazy. I don’t have any proof, but…” She sighed. “I have my instincts.” She looked at Ren intently. “I…was looking into Kayo’s case. And it turns out that the hotel serves Okumura’s Starfall coffee.”

Ren was confused. “I know it sounds crazy,” Ohya said. “And I didn’t think anything about it at the time. But when you told me The Phantom Thieves were going after Okumura, I started noticing something of a pattern. The train driver from the train that derailed earlier this year drank Starfall Coffee. And the cop that killed your principal? Same deal. He was drinking Starfall Coffee before the incident.”

Ohya let out an annoyed sigh. “I sound like a lunatic. But I know Kayo didn’t do it. So who, or what, did?” She sighed again. “I know I’m pulling this out of thin air, but… I can’t lose faith in Kayo!”

“Hmmm,” Ren said. “Well, it’s certainly something to think about.”

Ohya seemed confused. “You…believe me?”

“I don’t not believe you,” Ren told her. “I mean, The Phantom Thieves go around and steal people’s hearts. A lot of people wouldn’t have believed it until recently.”

“Hmmm,” Ohya pondered. “I suppose that’s true. What do you think, Lala?”

“I run a bar,” Lala said. “I’ve heard crazier things.”

“That’s…probably true too...” Ohya admitted.

“We have to believe in Kayo, right?” Ren asked.

Ohya was stunned. She smiled, nodded, and said “Right.”

Ren chuckled. “And, as for information for you…” Ren said. “Hm. Well, from what The Phantom Thieves told me, Okumura might be more involved than most people think.”

“How so?” Ohya asked.

“They wouldn’t tell me,” Ren replied. “But with our pieces of information combined, perhaps Okumura has a connection to the people creating those mental shutdowns?”

“Maybe…” Ohya said. “But I’ve tried reporting on him before, and his company was very cautious.”

“Well, you have an opening now,” Ren said. “There’s a strike going on. He is ranked first on that poll. The public pressure might be getting to him, on top of what The Phantom Thieves are doing.”

“Heh heh,” Ohya chuckled. “I like the way you think, kid.” She held her glass up. “With this, we’ll be one step closer to exposing the truth, and saving Kayo!”

Ren lifted her glass as well. “Cheers to that!” They clinked their drinks together.

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 6

“As much as I wanna get wasted, I think I should prepare,” Ohya said. “Despite the pressure, Okumura is not one to go down without a fight.” She stood up, leaving some money on the counter. “See ya kid!” She left.

“I think I should go too,” Ren said.

“Probably,” Lala said. “It’s almost time for some of our usual clientele. They can be a bit much, and I can’t protect you and perform my usual services at the same time.”

“Right,” Ren said, getting up. He paid Lala as well. “Thanks.”

“No, thank you,” Lala said. “She’s been in a better mood than she has in a long time. I can’t thank you enough for that.”

Ren chuckled. “Well, I’m sure you do a good job handling her as well.”

“Believe me, you don't know the half of it,” Lala said.

Ren chuckled again. “Well, goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Lala replied. Ren left Crossroads, and headed back home.

On the subway ride back, she thought to herself about what Ohya told her. I’ll ask them about it tomorrow.

Notes:

Bet you didn't see that comin'. (Don't worry, that won't be your Last Surprise). Despite it being a Confidant chapter, we got some more intrigue into the actual story. I wasn't quite expecting to pull out this tidbit here, but it made sense to do it, and I don't know exactly where I would have pulled out that information later on. I knew it was gonna be somewhere, but beyond that, I wasn't sure. I don't want to say anything else, because I might give my hand away, but I am interested in seeing your reactions.

As for Yumeko's confidant, it's interesting. I was having trouble getting started, because this is an entirely new confidant, and I didn't have anything to pull from. Even confidants I'm making drastic changes to, I still have something of a reference. But like Shiho, Jose, and Lena, (I don't count Eris in this, because that's strictly plot), once I started figuring out the direction, it became a lot simpler. That said, it's still tricky at times, for all of them. But I'm having fun.

I do also want to talk about the title of this chapter. It does come from "Waffle House" by The Jonas Brothers, and I gave it this name for a few reasons. 1. It's a good song. 2. Both the song and this chapter feature people dealing with stressful situations in a dining establishment. 3. I couldn't call it "Waffle House", because that wouldn't make sense.

(I almost wonder if these notes are longer than the chapter. Probably not, but I wouldn't be entirely surprised.)

Chapter 155: Conspiracy

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, on her way to school, Ren messaged the group.

Ren: Hey, so, I may have some information.

Makoto: What is it?

Ren: You know how we believe that Okumura has a link to the mental shutdown cases?

Ren: Well, I think I know how he might be connected.

Ryuji: For REAL?!

Jose: What is it?

Ren: It’s a bit tenuous, I’ll admit.

Ren: But it’s the closest thing I have to an explanation thus far.

Ann: Don’t keep us waiting!

Yusuke: Ann’s right, we should know more to form a plan of attack.

Ren: Very well.

Ren: I think Okumura Foods’ Starfall Coffee may be involved in some way.

Lena: WHAT?!

Sumire: What makes you say that?

Ren: One of my friends told me. She’s investigating this case that may have involved a mental shutdown.

Ren: She believes that Starfall Coffee may be involved.

Ann: OK, but Starfall Coffee is everywhere.

Yusuke: Indeed. I only stopped drinking it once I started coming to Leblanc.

Makoto: Maybe that’s the point.

Makoto: It’s become as prevalent as it is to help facilitate these shutdowns.

Ryuji: You’re joking, right?

Lena: Well, we are looking for ways someone is abusing the metaverse.

Lena: If something is so public that it becomes ubiquitous, using that to induce shutdowns might not be a bad way to reach pretty much anyone at any given time.

Sumire: I’m scared to admit it, but you may be right.

Jose: Still, it is an unknown quantity.

Jose: Haru, do you know when your father unveiled Starfall Coffee?

Haru: …I do.

Haru: That’s why I was a little hesitant.

Haru: But you’re right that soon after Starfall Coffee was unveiled, the mental shutdowns became more prevalent.

Futaba: I don’t think this can be a coincidence.

Futaba: Something fishy HAS to be going on.

Lena: But how do we prove it?

Futaba: Well, I can always prepare another Futaba special.

Futaba: Haru, do you think you can get to your dad’s computer?

Haru: Huh?!

Haru: I..doubt it.

Haru: He’s very protective about his home office. Even the slightest thing out of place will trigger something.

Ryuji: After going through that palace, I have no doubts.

Yusuke: Perhaps the best we can do is wait.

Yusuke: We’re changing his heart soon. Once we do, he’ll tell us eventually.

Makoto: That’s not a bad idea.

Ann: But I hate waiting around. I wanna do something!

Futaba: Well, I’ll look into Starfall Coffee.

Futaba: Even without the Futaba Special, I can still get some information.

Jose: I just realized. Okumura has Big Bang Burger too, right?

Jose: Why make another huge chain to spread this thing if you already have one?

Ryuji: To cover your bases, I guess?

Ryuji: I mean I don’t drink coffee, but I’ll absolutely eat a burger.

Jose: I see…

Lena: Wait,should we be worried?

Lena; I mean, we have eaten at Big Bang Burger before.

Ann: Oh no!

Ren: Hold on.

She looked at Morgana, who was looking at her phone, following the conversation. Morgana looked back at her. “I don’t entirely think so… I mean since you’ve all awakened to your Persona, it would be harder for someone to make a direct line of attack like that. But just be cautious, and if you feel something, message one of us. If it is affecting you in the Metaverse, I think going down to Mementos might help.”

Ren nodded, and went back to her phone.

Ren: Morgana says that because we have our Personas, it’d be harder for them to target us.

Ren: But we should remain vigilant, and if we feel something out of the ordinary, we should get everyone together and head to Mementos.

Ryuji: How will we know what it is?

Makoto: This is an attack on our very essence of being. I doubt it resembles a stomach ache.

Ryuji: You’re…probably right.

Haru: Regardless, thank you for bringing this up Ren.

Futaba: It’s one step closer for us, and one more thing for the enemy to be worried about!

Yusuke: Indeed! Any advantage is good.

Ryuji: And if stealin’ his heart is the only way to get the truth, then I’m ready whenever!

Futaba: I’m not. I’m still reeling from the palace.

Haru: I am still sore as well.

Ryuji: Fine. But the sooner the better, ya know?

Ann: Of course.

Ann: But we want everyone in the best shape. Otherwise, we might lose.

Ryuji: Well, we don’t want that to happen.

Ryuji: Just whenever you’re ready.

Ren: Got it.

Sumire: Right.

They put their phones away, and continued on to school.

During their lunch break, Makoto was wandering through the halls, when she saw a familiar figure. “Mr. Arai?”

“Ah, Niijima-san,” he said, turning to meet her gaze.

“Are you here for the reason I think you’re here?”

Mr. Arai nodded. “Of course. I had to do a lot of thinking. But I decided to throw my hat in the ring.”

“Well, of course, I greatly appreciate it,” Makoto said. “But, if I may, how did you come to this conclusion?”

Mr. Arai smiled. “You.”

Makoto was shocked. “Me?!”

Mr. Arai nodded. “I mean, you’re the student council president. If you were chosen by the students, then I must imagine this school hasn’t totally lost heart.”

“Right…” Makoto said, pondering on that.

“Well, this has been delightful,” Mr. Arai said. “But I should get going.”

“Wait!” Makoto said. “I’ll come with you.”

“That…won’t be necessary.”

“I insist,” Makoto replied.

Mr. Arai shrugged. “Well then, we don’t have time to waste. Let’s go.” The two of them headed out.

Meanwhile, in a meeting room, there were some teachers, Takeshi’s mom/the head of the PTA and the school’s superintendent were there along with the Vice Principal. There was a silence that was uneasy for the Vice Principal. “What is going on?” the Vice Principal asked.

“You’ll see soon enough,” the superintendent said. There was a knock at the door. “That’s them now. Come in!”

Mr. Arai opened the door, much to the surprise of the Vice Principal. “Mr. Arai?!”

“Ah, Mr. Ogata. I see they made you Vice Principal,” Arai said. He came in.

Makoto followed behind him. “Niijima?!” Vice Principal Ogata said. “What are you doing here?”

“Well, there’s a lot to that question,” Makoto answered.

“What is going on?!” Ogata asked.

“We got a call Monday,” the Superintendent replied. “Mr. Arai here noticed the job opening, and asked if he could apply.”

“You cannot be serious!” Ogata said.

“As a heart attack,” Mr. Arai said, sitting down, with Makoto sitting next to him.

“I will be conducting interviews with you throughout the coming days,” the superintendent said. “But right now, I’ve gathered you here to calmly discuss this.”

“There’s nothing to discuss!” Ogata said. “I should be a shoe-in for this position.”

“Funny,” Mr. Arai said. “I said the same thing eleven years ago. Look how that turned out.” Ogata glared at Mr. Arai.

The Superintendent turned to Makoto. “Young lady, why are you here?”

“Oh, well, it’s a long story…” Makoto said.

“An abridged version would be nice,” the superintendent responded.

“Well…” Makoto began. “For starters, I’m the student council president. But during my tenure, Principal Kobayakowa and I were at odds. He kept pressuring me to investigate my fellow students. To keep them in line. I was repulsed.

I looked into Principal Kobayakowa, and I found that he and Mr. Arai here were looking into the principal position here eleven years ago. I approached Mr. Arai about the…unfortunately vacant position to see if he wanted to try again.”

“You brought him back?!” Vice Principal Ogata replied. “He’s a menace! We are in the midst of reaching our apex, and you bring him here to bring us down?!”

“I love you too,” Mr. Arai said.

“Take that back,” Vice Principal Ogata snapped quietly.

“Now, hold on,” Takeshi’s mom said. “Niijima-chan has a point.”

“Thank you, Mrs. Arakawa,” Makoto replied.

“Principal Kobayakowa oversaw Mr. Kamoshida’s entire tenure, and did nothing. On top of that, when he tried bringing the track team back, he hired Mr. Yamauchi. And we know how that went.” There were some murmurs among those at the table. “I think Shujin could use a breath of fresh air.”

“I mean…” Ogata said, nervously. “Mr. Arai though?”

“I liked working with Mr. Arai,” one of the teachers said.

“Yes, he was very kind, and helpful,” another one said.

“Where do you work now?” the superintendent asked Mr. Arai.

“Kanshu Academy,” Mr. Arai answered.

“A fine school indeed,” the superintendent replied.

“Why can’t you run for principal there?!” Ogata asked, bitterly.

“Well, if you must know,” Arai answered, “Principal Fujimori only became principal two years ago. I did run, but she ran a better campaign than I did.”

“See? He’s not responsible enough,” Ogata said.

“I never said that,” Arai replied. “Fujimori and I are really good friends. We had similar platforms, but she had more experience at the school. She even allowed me to stay at the school this time.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ogata asked.

“Why don’t you tell me?” Arai goaded. “Unless you really don’t know.”

“Don’t know what?” the superintendent asked.

Arai looked at Ogata. He was certain that Ogata knew what he was talking about, but Ogata didn’t say anything, knowing that saying something would jeopardize his position further. Arai smiled. “It’s nothing. Principal Kobayakowa and I didn’t quite get along when I was here either.”

“I see,” the superintendent said. “Well, like I said, I’ll be conducting interviews with the two of you. I will look at the merits of each candidate, and make a decision. Thank you for your time.” He got up and left.

“I should get going too,” Mrs. Arakawa said. She stood up. “Thank you.” She left.

Everyone else got up from their seats. Mr. Arai and Vice Principal Ogata approached each other. Mr. Arai held out his hand. “May the best man win.”

Vice Principal Ogata begrudgingly reached his hand out. “May the best man win.” They shook hands, and Ogata pulled Arai into whispering distance. “I could just tell them, you know.”

“And I can just tell them Kobaya-coward blackmailed me,” Arai whispered back.

“I could deny knowing,” Ogata retorted.

“Yeah, but you saw what happened just now,” Arai said. “Anyone with the stench of Kobayakawa would be dropped, and they’d choose a new candidate. So the question is, what’s more important to you: me not being the principal, or you being the principal?” Ogata didn’t answer. Arai smiled. “You don’t need to answer. I’ll know when the superintendent calls me.” He let go, and walked out the door.

Makoto bowed. “Thank you for hearing me out,” she said. “She left as well. The other teachers soon followed suit, leaving only Ogata there. He began seething. He ripped his phone out of his pocket, and made a call.

A little while later, Akechi got a call. He looked at the caller I.D., “POS”. “What does he want now?” He picked up. “Hello,” he said, changing to a cheery voice.

“You go to Kanshu Academy, right?” the voice on the other end said.

“...That’s correct…” Akechi said, confused. “Excuse me for a second.” He moved to a less public space. “Why?”

“I just heard that one of the teachers there was applying for the principal position at Shujin,” the voice answered.

“Oh,” Akech said.

“I’ve been working on getting the Vice Principal elevated there,” the voice went on. “Now THAT’S in contention too!”

“So, what do you want me to do?” Akechi asked.

“You go to his school,” the voice said. “Talk him out of that.”

Akechi grinned, wryly. “I’m afraid that would be a little awkward, as I was there when he first considered the position.”

“WHAT?!” the voice said. “Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Well, for starters, I didn’t know that that’s what the meeting would be about,” Akechi said. “And besides, I wasn’t aware of your intentions.” The voice growled. “I have an idea though,” Akechi continued. “What if you let the competition happen as normal?”

“Are you insane?!” the voice barked.

“No, just pragmatic,” Akechi said. “I mean, the person who asked them to run was the student council president at Shujin. You’ve told me that the school has been shaken loose since the Kamoshida incident, and that the Principal had lost his grip on things. Even if you guy wins, I doubt you’d be able to get a good grip back on things. Besides, it’s not like it’ll matter who’s in charge of one school when you’re the Prime Minister.”

The voice was silent for a bit. He then sighed. “I guess that’s fair enough.” He sighed again. “These Phantom Thieves aren’t worth this headache. I swear, they’ll be the death of me.”

“Don’t get your hopes down,” Akechi said. “The gears are turning, even if ever so slightly. We’re on the cusp of capturing them as we speak, don’t you worry.”

“Of course,” the voice said. “And you have a pivotal role in all of it.”

“Thank you,” Akechi replied. They hung up. Akechi glared at his phone. He then smiled wickedly. “I won’t let The Phantom Thieves be the death of you. That privilege is mine, and mine alone.” He regained his composure, and then headed out for the afternoon.

 

Notes:

I had intended on making this a confidant chapter as well, but it would be too long, and too disjointed. However, there is also some plot stuff happening next time as well.

One of the more interesting things about making this a more focused story is that it's allowing me to open up on certain things. Because events happen in a specified order, that means other things happen too. The game is open to an extent, but it has to be open continuously. In this story, I can close the (goddamn) door on anything, which itself opens up new possibilities. I may have gone over this before, but you can really see it in this chapter.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 156: Keeping Your Head Straight

Chapter Text

Wednesday after school, Ren got a message from Yusuke.

Yusuke: Forgive the sudden invitation.

Yusuke: But Mr. Kawanabe, the art director who caught us in Madarame’s house, invited me for a late lunch to talk.

Yusuke: I was wondering if you’d mind coming with. To help me keep my head on straight.

Ren: OK. Sure.

Ren: Where?

Yusuke: The sushi place we went to celebrate our victory over Kaneshiro.

Ren: Gotcha.

Ren: See you soon!

Ren put her phone away, and headed out.

Before she left the school, Kawakami caught her. “Oh, hey, just who I needed to see,” Kawakami said.

Ren was confused. “Oh?”

Kawakami looked around and then whispered “You may want to call that number tonight.”

Ren nodded. “Gotcha.”

Kawakami retracted to her original position. “Have a good day.”

“You too,” Ren replied. She continued heading out.

Yusuke was waiting for her outside the restaurant. “Thank you for coming,” Yusuke said.

“No problem,” Ren replied.

“Shall we?”

“Of course,” Ren answered again. The two walked in.

Upon entry, they saw Mr. Kawanabe already sitting down. He glanced over to see them. “Ah, I’m glad you could make it.” Yusuke took a seat next to him, and Ren next to Yusuke. “Please, feel free to order whatever you like.”

“Thank you,” Yusuke said. They placed their orders. “So, what did you want to speak upon?”

“Straight to the point, eh?” Kawanabe retorted.

“Forgive me,” Yusuke said. “I have some projects I need to do for school. And I don’t imagine that you have a wealth of free time on your hands either.”

“I suppose that’s true enough,” Kawanabe replied.”Very well then. Am I correct in that you are still looking for that creative spark?”

“Urgh,” Yusuke reacted, feeling stung. “I…guess you could say that’s true.”

“Well, like I told you earlier,” Kawanabe began, “I am the director of the Japanese Art Support Foundation. Now, forgive me, but I am quite familiar with your circumstances.” Yusuke was curious. “It is hard to be as entrenched in the art world as I have been and not know who Madarame’s last pupil is.”

“Oh…” Yusuke said, disappointedly, but without any confirmation on what disappointed him.

“Tell me: how many of ‘his’ works did you make?” Kawanabe asked.

“Well…ummmm…” Yusuke said, struggling to answer. “I…can’t say off the top of my head.”

Kawanabe nodded. “My apologies. To be completely honest, I could tell a good number of them by comparing what you brought to the exhibition to Madarame’s latest pieces.”

“I see…” Yusuke replied.

“Where are you going with this?” Ren asked.

Kawanabe took note of her. “Forgive me. I did want to make this conversation last a little longer.” He turned back to Yusuke. “The truth is, I have another art competition coming up. And I feel like with my guidance, I can help you win.”

Yusuke was shocked. “You’d rig your own competition?”

“Of course,” Kawanabe said. “You make for a really good story. An aspiring artist struck by tragedy bouncing back to rise to popularity and become the next big thing in the world of Japanese art.”

“I beg your pardon?” Yusuke said.

“That…seems a little excessive,” Ren pointed out.

“Perhaps,” Kawanabe replied. “But art can be excessive at times.”

“It can,” Yusuke agreed. “But it sounds like you want to turn my life into some kind of art piece.”

“Well, stories sell,’ Kawanabe countered. “Especially in the art world, and especially someone with such a compelling story. It is a little extravagant, but think about what you’d get in return: Fame. Fortune. Anything you could want. In that context, is it too high a price to pay?”

Yusuke glared at Kawanabe. “So, you’re just like him after all.”

“Pardon?”

“I will not be another man’s art project!” Yusuke declared. “Not ever again! I’m afraid I’ll have to decline your offer.”

Kawanabe remained calm. “I see…” He got up. “You are still free to enter the competition. Someone of your caliber will probably be granted entry like that. But if you don’t want to guarantee your victory, that’s fine by me as well.”

He started to leave. “By the way,” he said, turning back. “I have a tab going. Feel free to have as much as you want. Consider it a thank you for at least hearing me out.” He left fully.

“Maybe we should get out of here,” Yusuke said. “I don’t want any of his tainted sushi.” His stomach rumbled. “Then again, the sushi didn’t do anything wrong here.”

“Besides, if we eat a lot, we’ll put a dent into his wallet,” Ren said.

“Of course,” Yusuke said. “I can always count on you for formulating a cunning plan.” They kept eating.

As they were eating, Ren asked “So, how are you feeling?”

Yusuke looked distant. “To be honest…conflicted.” Ren was stunned. “A part of me wanted to take him up on his offer. I mean, money, fame, and fortune is hard to pass up. But it’s not what art is. At least to me. And he sounded like he wanted to control me.”

He looked at Ren. “To be incredibly honest, being controlled by someone doesn’t seem half bad. I can focus on what I want to make, and they can take care of other things. But with you here, I couldn’t. You and the others fought so hard to free me from someone else’s control before. To just blindly step into that again would betray everything we stand for. As friends. As teammates. As Phantom Thieves.” He let out a heavy sigh.

Ren patted his back. “It’s OK. I can’t say I haven’t had similar thoughts. But you are right. With others around depending on you, it becomes easier to make the right choice, which I feel like you did here.”

Yusuke smiled. “Hm. Thank you.”

Ren nodded back, letting go of Yusuke’s back. “So, are you going to enter his competition?”

“Perhaps,” Yusuke said. “If only to prove him wrong. Although I have no idea where to begin. After all, I’m still nowhere close to figuring out what true art is.”

“Well, you know what it isn’t,” Ren replied. “You told Mr. Kawanabe as much.”

Yusuke was surprised. “You’re right. I did say that.”

“I feel like that might be a good starting point,” Ren said.

“Hm,” Yusuke pondered. “Perhaps you’re right. What made me say no to this? Why did I say that that’s not art? I have to think on these questions, but I believe I can do it.”

“And if you need help, you can always come to us,” Ren said.

“Of course,” Yusuke replied. “What are friends, slash teammates, slash Phantom Thieves for?” They shared a giggle.

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 7

The two continued eating sushi for a while before leaving.

Meanwhile, Sae had spent her Wednesday at Okumura Foods trying to get any information she could. She was given bits and pieces, but nothing substantial, as Okumura’s employees were being as cagey as ever.

She went down to the lobby to give herself a break when she saw a curious sight. “Excuse me?” Sae looked up to where the voice was coming from. She saw a woman with a bob-cut, a camera, and a relaxed sense of dress at the front counter. “Would Mr. Okumura be willing to make an appointment for an interview?”

Sae was curious. “Hold on a second,” the receptionist answered. She picked up the phone. “Excuse me. Mr. Okumura? There’s a reporter here, and she wants to interview you…I see…Very well…Thank you for your time.” She hung up. “Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances, Mr. Okumura isn’t making time for interviews. But if you leave me your contact information, I could get back to you as soon as Mr. Okumura is ready.

The reporter was none-too-pleased about this response, but remained professional. Well, as professional as she could. “Fine then. Here.” She took out her card and gave it to the receptionist.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Whatever,” the reporter replied.

The reporter was just about to leave, when Sae caught a hold of her. “Excuse me,” she said. The reporter turned around. “You’re a reporter right?”

The other woman smiled. “Of course.” She took out another business card. Ichiko Ohya, at your service.”

Sae took it. She then took out one of her own business cards. “Prosecutor Sae Niijima. Also at your service. Might I ask why you wish to interview Okumura?”

Ohya seemed confused. “You…are aware of what’s happening right now, right?”

“Of course,” Sae said. “I’m working on a few cases involving Okumura. And right now, Okumura is trying to get his house in order. His lawyers have told him to limit public appearances and interviews. They sent out a bunch of press dockets. I assume you’d be aware of those, right?”

“What kind of reporter do you take me for?” Ohya replied.

“So, if you know, why try?” Sae asked again.

Ohya got a little defensive. “My reasons are my own,” she answered.

“Hm. I see,” Sae responded. “Well, professional to professional, and woman to woman, I feel like perhaps we could help each other out. If you’ll let me.”

“Hmm,” Ohya responded. “I’m intrigued. OK. I’ll take you up on your offer. Tomorrow night at Crossroads in Shinjuku?”

Sae nodded. “Very well.”

“Great! See you then!” Ohya said. She walked out.

Sae turned to the receptionist. “You can tell Mr. Okumura that I’m cutting today’s investigation short. I have some other cases I’m working on, so if he doesn’t want to cooperate, I have others who will. Good day.” The receptionist was in awe, and then nodded. Sae left the building.

As she was walking, she placed a phone call. “Hello?” Riko answered.

“Hi,” Sae answered. “Could you please do me a favor?”

“Of course,” Riko answered.

“I need you to look into a reporter named Ichiko Ohya,” Sae said.

“How come?” Riko replied.

“I’ve agreed to meet with her,” Sae said. “I need to know what I’m up against.”

“Well…this seems sudden,” Riko said.

“It is,” Sae said. “I apologize for putting you on the spot like this.”

“Oh, it’s no trouble at all,” Riko said. “I’m just surprised. I can get the report done by tonight.”

“I’ll take it tomorrow morning,” Sae told her. “I’m coming back to the office for a bit, but that’s only to get some other cases in order. I suspect my meeting with Miss Ohya will take a bit, so I want to try and compensate by not staying out too late tonight.”

“Yes ma’am!” Riko said. “I’ll have something ready for you tomorrow!”

Sae smiled. “Thank you.” She hung up, and continued to her office.

Meanwhile, a little after Ren got home, she used the pay phone to call “Becky”. Once Kawakmi arrived, she said “Greetings Master!~” Yet, there was no dismay on her face soon after. She walked in.

Ren grinned. “So, what’s the occasion?”

“Well…” Kawakami said, hardly able to contain her excitement. “Today is my last day.”

Ren’s mouth was agape. “You mean…?”

Kawakami nodded. “After tonight, I’ll only be Miss Kawakami.”

“At least, until you get married,” Ren retorted.

“Ummmm,” Kawakami blushed. “Wu…One thing at a time.”

Ren giggled. “Sorry.” She went behind the bar. “So, how do you want to celebrate?”

“Well…” Kawakami said. “I was hoping I could make you one last meal.” Ren seemed confused. “I mean…you’ve helped me so much throughout all of this. I figure it’s the least I could do.”

“Oh, uh, you don’t need to-”

“I insist,” Kawakami said. “After all, you’re never going to get this opportunity again.”

“Well, when you put it like that…” Ren said. She moved to a booth seat.

“Hm hm,” Kawakami giggled. “So, is there anything you want, Master?~”

“Anything’s fine,” Ren replied. “As long as it’s made by you.~”

Kawakami was a little stunned. “I see… You’re quite the charmer, aren’t you Master?~ Well then, I shall prepare you something extra delicious!~” Kawakami began cooking. Once she finished, she set the plates down for each of them. “Here you are, Master!~”

Ren giggled. “Thanks.” Kawakami giggled as well. She sat down, and the two started eating. “So, how are you feeling? About all of this?”

“Kawakami stopped for a moment “Hmmmm. Well… I don’t have an answer from the volleyball team yet. But I think it’s alright. I’ve been going non-stop ever since the Takases. It’s nice to have some time to breathe for a change. I thought I’d be more nervous, but I feel more alive than ever.”

“It is nice not to have the weight of the world on your shoulders at times,” Ren said.

“But sometimes you choose to bear it anyway,” Kawakami replied.

“Right…” Ren replied, sheepishly.

“It’s not that I’m not grateful that you helped me,” Kawakami said, “but it might be worth it to do something for yourself too.”

“I mean, I do like helping people…” Ren said.

“I know,” Kawakami replied. “I’m the same way. But it’s useful to relax at times too.”

“Yeah,” Ren agreed. She sighed. “A part of me feels like I do this because I want people to like me. Sometimes I feel like I’m not actually that nice, but I just don’t want people to hate me.”

Kawakami was stunned. “What brought this on?”

“It’s just…” Ren said. She sighed again. “In my hometown, I’d get into fights with everyone. Whenever someone was picking on someone, I’d try to defend them. I won a good amount of times too. But they started calling me…things. Some of the people didn’t even want me to defend them anymore. And it just kept getting worse and worse…”

Kawkami was stunned. She set her utensils down, stood up, walked over to Ren, and gave her a hug. “It’s alright.” Ren was surprised. She then loosened her grip on Ren and met her at eye level. “Speaking as both your teacher, and someone who you helped, I have to tell you you are genuine. You kept helping me, even when you could have just ran. And I would have allowed that. Almost preferred it in some cases. But I’m glad you’re you. Otherwise I couldn’t be the best me there is. So thank you.”

Ren was awestruck. Her eyes were watery. She swallowed some air and replied “Thank you.”

Temperance-Sadayo Kawakami: Rank 9

After a bit, the two went back to eating.

A little later, Ren asked “Do you have anywhere else to be?”

“Nope!” Kawakami said. “You’re my last customer. So I can be here as long as you’d like. Well, within reason. I still have to clock out and stuff.”

“Right,” Ren replied.

“Is there anything else I can help you with?” Kawakami asked. “I mean in general, not as a maid.”

“That..almost sounds like you have something in mind,” Ren asked.

“Well…this is going to sound a bit presumptuous,” Kawakami replied, “but do you want some advice on getting a boyfriend? I mean, not that I’d be that much help, but…”

Ren got slightly embarrassed. “Well, you see, I’m actually seeing someone right now.”

“Oh!” Kawakami replied. “I…didn’t know. So, what’s he like?”

“Well, that’s the thing,” Ren said. “‘He’ is not the operative word here.” Kawakami was a little confused. Ren continued “she is amazing though.”

“OH!” Kawakami replied once more. “Huh.”

“You’re not mad?” Ren asked.

“I’ve worked long enough as a maid to see it before,” Kawakami said. “Whether it be curious clientele, maids who like teasing men because they thought it was fun, clients trying to assert their straightness when they were not, maids who gave up on men after a certain point, people becoming maids to get their first taste of womanhood, or just closeted people. Some of them were very nice people. Some were a bit more forward, but there are rules at this job. What I’m saying is, it takes all kinds. And some of those people helped me through this dark time in my life. And now, I suppose that includes you.” Ren chuckled.

After they finished their meals, and Kawakami did the dishes, she decided to leave. Before going, she curtsied and said “Thank you for being my last Master!~ And my best.” Ren smiled and blushed slightly. Kawakami let go of her dress, and in her usual voice said “Thanks again for everything.” She had one foot out the door. “See you tomorrow.”

“See ya!” Ren replied. Kawakami left. Ren sighed, relieved. Today was surprising, but worth it in a lot of ways.

Meanwhile, Sae came home. Makoto was stunned. “Oh! I thought you’d be pulling another all nighter.”

“Not today,” Sae said. “I might tomorrow, depending.” She sat down on the couch. “Ugh. This whole ordeal is killing me.”

“Are you feeling alright?” Makoto wondered.

Sae just stared up. “Do you ever feel so close to something, yet so far away from it?”

“Well…” Makoto wasn’t sure how to answer that. She was feeling something like it with this Okumura investigation with The Phantom Thieves, but she wasn’t about to tell Sae that.

“Hm,” Sae replied. “You don’t need to answer that. I’m just venting right now.” There was a brief pause. “Did anything happen at school today?” Sae asked.

“Oh, uh, well,” Makoto began, “actually yes.” Sae’s interest was piqued. “Well, um, I wasn’t sure how to tell you this, but, um, so, you know how Principal Kobayakowa was…?”

“Right…” Sae said. “So, have they elevated the Vice Principal to his position yet?”

“Actually,” Makoto said, furthering Sae’s interest, “someone else decided to apply for the position as well.”

“Really?” Sae asked. “Who?”

“Mr. Arai,” Makoto told her.

Sae was stunned. “Huh. I’m surprised. So he’s giving it another go.”

“Seems like it,” Makoto said.

Sae sighed. “You know, he and Kobayakowa were up for the Principal job eleven years ago, but Mr. Arai dropped out unexpectedly. I had a feeling Kobayakawa had something on him, but I couldn’t figure it out.”

“Oh?” Makoto said.

“Perhaps this is the change Shujin needs,” Sae said. And perhaps this is a sign of things to come. Sae stood up.

“Um, do you want something to eat?” Makoto asked.

“I’ll eat later,” Sae said. “Right now I want a bath.”

“Oh. OK,” Makoto replied.

Sae was meditating in the bathtub. One way or another, I’m going to solve this. I’m going to solve this, and then I’m going to start my transformative reign as top prosecutor in the nation. I will begin to forge a new world. One where a person doesn’t need to be afraid of losing their father. One where a woman doesn’t need to be afraid to empower herself. One where the greedy and corrupt are imprisoned regardless of station. I’m almost there. I just need to stop these Phantom Thieves.

Chapter 157: Friend and Foe Alike

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning Sae walked to her office. “Good morning,” Riko said. “I have the information you wanted.”

“Thank you,” Sae replied. “And good morning.”

Riko giggled. “So, Ichiko Ohya, AKA ‘Japan’s Last Gonzo Journalist’. Right now, she’s on the Phantom Thief beat.”

“Really?” Sae wondered. “That’s unusual.”

“It gets a little more unusual from there,” Riko said. “At first, she seemed more neutral in her coverage, but right around the Kaneshiro incident her coverage shifted into showing the thieves in a more positive light.”

“Huh,” Sae said.

“It gets more unusual,” Riko said.

“More unusual than that?” Sae wondered.

Riko nodded. “At the same time her coverage shifted into lionizing the Phantom Thieves, the more accurate information she was pumping out.”

“What do you mean?” Sae asked.

“Well, for example,” Riko began, “during the Medjed case, the day Medjed was supposed to attack, she reported that the Phantom Thieves had a plan, and they did.”

“Hm, interesting,” Sae said. “What about before this whole Phantom Thief business?

“I looked into that too,” Riko said. “Apparently she was a top notch journalist. Her and her partner, Kayo Kobayashi, were exceptional at getting the scoop on all sorts of big stories.”

“Kayo Kobayashi…” Sae pondered. “Why does that name sound so familiar?”

“It sounded familiar to me too,” Riko said. “I looked through your notes. Apparently, she was on the scene of a supposed murder.”

“..’Supposed murder’...?” Sae asked.

“In your notes, you suspect it to be another mental shutdown case,” Riko clarified.

“WHAT?!” Sae gasped. “Can I have that file?!”

“It’s already on your desk,” Riko answered.

“Thanks,” Sae said. She paused for a moment. “Say, do you think Ohya’s increasing positive coverage of The Phantom Thieves stems from her learning more about what happened to her partner?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case,” Riko said.

“Hmmm,” Sae pondered. “Things are escalating, that’s for sure.” She smiled.

“Thank you.”

“No problem,” Riko replied.

“Say, do you want to come with me?” Sae asked. “We're meeting at a place called Crossroads in Shinjuku.”

Riko’s face was stunned. “Ummm, uh, well…”

Sae smiled. “It’s fine. It’s not like we’re tethered together…”

“Right…” Riko said, embarrassed. “But it is a pretty good place. I mean, I wouldn’t say anything there is as delicious as some of the places we’ve gone to, but it makes up for it in atmosphere.”

“Gotcha,” Sae said. “Any recommendations?”

“Well, it is a bar,” Riko said. “But I suspect you want to not get wasted.”

“You’d assume correctly,” Sae said.

“They have other drinks,” Riko said. “I’d suggest something with flavor to help wash down some of the food.”

“Understood. Thank you. I’ll be in my office.”

“Yes ma’am!” Riko said. Sae marched into her office, and closed the door. Riko sat back down at her desk. Sae also took a seat, and began looking through that case file. “Hmmmmmm…”

After the bell rang to end school, Ann turned to Ren. “Hey, guess what?”

Ren was surprised. “You…found a really good sale at the mall?”

“Please, I’m always finding a good sale at the mall,” Ann retorted. The girls shared a laugh. “But no. I’m having a photo shoot today, and I want you to come with.”

“Oh. Of course,” Ren said, ecstatic.

“Hang on,” Ann said. “I want Ryuji and Shiho to come too. They’ve helped me so much too. Not that everyone else hasn’t, but…”

“Right,” Ren said. Ann messaged the two of them, and they were off.

On their way, Ann said “Thank you so much for joining me!”

“Of course!” Shiho replied.

“You seem really fired up,” Ryuji said.

“Well…it’s because of you…all of you…” Ann said, blushing. “I felt so passive for so long, but because of you, I feel like I can do anything!”

“May I ask why you’re sticking with modeling though?” Shiho wondered. “It’s just…you seemed so lukewarm on the idea before.”

“Yeah,” Ann admitted. “Originally, I wanted to give it up because of all the things I didn’t like about it. But after I realized everything I do love about it, I wanted to share that with the world. If I gave up, more people would see modeling as a shallow existence, rather than the fun, lively pursuit that it is. At least, in my eyes.”

“Well said,” Ren replied.

As they arrived, they saw Mika getting chewed out by the modeling director. “What’s going on?” Ann wondered. They approached closer.

The director noticed Ann. “Ah, Takamaki-san! Get a load of this: You know how some models haven't been showing up recently?” Ann nodded her head. “Well, it turns out that Mika had been calling them, posing as our agents, and telling them the shoot was elsewhere.”

“WHAT?!” Ann said, shocked.

“Yeah, I know,” the director replied.

“I’m sorry…” Mika said. “It won’t happen again.”

“Well, it better not,” the director said. “The next time you pull a stunt like this, you’re fired.” He sighed. “Anyways, we have a few minutes before we are ready. Maybe you should reflect on what you’ve done.”

“OK,” Mika said meekly.

“Woah, she really is cutthroat,” Ryuji said.

“You said it,” Shiho added.

Mika walked over to the gang. “Wow…” Ann said. “I can’t believe you did something so…childish.”

“Come again?” Mika said.

“Are you really so afraid you can’t be a top model on your own merits that you had to resort to sabotage?”

“Yeah, and you got caught too,” Ren jumped in.

“Hmph,” Mika scoffed. “And all I had to do was give him some doe eyes, and I didn’t get fired.”

“That’s…still kind of pathetic…” Shiho said.

“Besides,” Ryuji interjected, “you haven’t refuted my girlfriend’s point.”

Mika looked at Ann. “This is your boyfriend?” Ann nodded. Mika looked at Ryuji. “You two seem made for each other.”

“Thanks?” Ryuji said.

“I think she’s trying to diss you,” Shiho said.

“Oh,” Ryuji replied.

Ann chuckled. “What are you laughing at?” Mika barked.

“Your petty attempts to get to me,” Ann answered.

Mika got angrier “Listen!” Mika declared. “I may have gotten caught this time, but I promise that I WILL become the best model, and I WILL do anything to make that dream come true! Got it?!”

There was a second of silence before Ann let out a chuckle. She then started full on laughing. Mika was confused. “I’m sorry,” Ann said. “It’s just, you remind me so much of those dramatic kid’s show villains I watched when I was younger.”

“Oh yeah,” Ryuji said. He burst out laughing too.

Shiho started laughing as well. “It is an apt comparison.”

“I’ll say,” Ren added, laughing herself. Needless to say, this was not the reaction Mika expected.

Ann stopped laughing for a second. “Well, my goal is also to become the best model. And your underhanded tricks aren’t going to deter me anymore. So, while I respect the hustle, I’m afraid you’ll always come up just short of me.”

Mika was astounded. She then grinned. “I see. Well, if that’s the case, I guess beating you with said underhanded tactics wouldn’t be as fun. So from now on, I promise I’ll become a better model than you fair and square.”

Ann chuckled again. “You’re on!” They shook hands, both gripping tightly. You could feel the tension.

“Alright ladies, we’re ready!” the director said.

“Coming!” Ann said, letting go of Mika’s hand. The two models walked up to the shoot.

“Soooo, are they friends now?” Ryuji asked.

“I think they’re more frenemies,” Shiho clarified.

‘Ugh,” Ryuiji groaned. “I’m glad I’m not a girl. I have a hard enough time following a conversation as is.”

As the shoot progressed, Ren, Shiho, and Ryuji looked on. As Ann was modeling, they noticed something different. She was in top form. Every pose was graceful, and slick. Even everyone on set took notice.

After the shoot wrapped up, Ann walked up to the rest of the group. “So, what’d you think?”

“That was incredible!” Ren said.

“You did wonderful,” Shiho replied.

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. “I think I get what you mean. I just thought being a model was about being attractive, but you showed me that there’s a lot more to it. Er, that’s not to say you’re not attractive…”

“I think you need to learn how to quit while you’re ahead,” Shiho teased.

Ann giggled. “It’s OK. I understand what he means.”

Ryuji sighed, relieved. “Well, in an effort not to quit, I noticed that the ice cream shop Makoto showed us is going half price for this week. So, um, would you mind splitting off from everyone and going on a date?”

Ann giggled again. “That sounds great sweetie.” Ryuji chuckled, proud of himself.

“I actually need to get going too,” Shiho said. “I’m talking with some of the former volleyball club members about getting things back together.”

“Hey,” Ann said. Shiho looked up. “You can do this! I know you can!”

Shiho nodded. Determined. “Thank you. And great job today. Seeya!”

“Bye!” Ann replied. Everyone waved as Shiho left. Ann turned to Ryuji. “Say, before we go, do you mind if I talk with Ren? Girl-to-girl?”

Ryuji was a bit stunned but said “Uh, sure. I’ll just beeeee over there then?” Ann nodded. “OK then. Seeya later Ren!”

“Bye!” Ren replied as Ryuji rushed off.

Ren turned to Ann. “You know,” Ann said, “if it wasn’t for you, I don’t think I’d be at this point. On the first day you came to school, you helped me.”

Ren was surprised. “I’d like to think I’d have helped anyone…”

“Right,” Ann said. “But I don’t think I would have. I…was in a really bad place. All my life, people have put different expectations on me, and Kamoshida amplified that to a million. But you taught me that if I want something, I need to fight for it. I just can’t cave in to what other people think of me.

For too long, I was buried in all of that. But now I see that you have to define yourself. I should have known that earlier; that’s one of the best parts about being a model. I saved you from Kamoshida because I wanted to save the person who saved me earlier. I know it sounds selfish, but it was the first step I needed to take to learn this lesson.”

Ann looked at Ren intently. “You said you’d have saved anyone, right? Well, the next time I need saving, don’t save me because you’d save anyone. Save me because you want to save me. I promise I'll do the same. And together, we will save as many people as we can; both as lights in this dark world, and as Phantom Thieves.”

Ren was impressed. She smiled, and reached her hand out “Of course.” Ann giggled, smiling back, and shook Ren’s hand. This handshake was just as, if not more, intense than the one she had with Mika, but it was 100% friendly.

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast turned a vow into a blood oath.

Thy bond shall become the wings of rebellion and break the yoke of thy heart.

Thou hast awakened to the ultimate secret of the Lovers, granting thee infinite power…

Lovers-Ann Takamaki: Rank 10

Inside Ann, a powerful force was manifesting itself. Her Persona, Carmen, was changing. Evolving. In a burst of flame, her Persona grew alongside her, becoming Hecate.

What is this power? I feel like I’ve become stronger; A much brighter light than I ever thought I could be.

After Ann and Ren finished shaking hands, Ann said “Thanks again. I hate to cut this short, but I have a date.”

Ren chuckled. “Don’t stay out too late, you crazy kids.”

Ann chuckled back. “Seeya!” she said, rushing off to Ryuji. She joined up with her boyfriend, and the two walked off to get some half price ice cream. Ren watched and smiled; a single tear falling from her eyes.

Later that evening, Ren got a message.

Chihaya: Would you mind stopping by tonight?

Chihaya: I know it’s been a bit, but I want to continue the conversation from last time.

Ren: No problem.

Ren: I’ve actually been kind of busy, so this works out better than anticipated.

Chihaya: I figured tonight would work.

Chihaya: I asked the cards.

Ren: Of course.

Chihaya: But be cautious.

Chihaya: I sense a conflicted soul coming to Shinjuku as well.

Ren: How worried should I be?

Chihaya: Just remain calm and don’t give them something that will send them into a frenzy.

Ren: Sounds simple enough.

Ren: See you soon.

Chihaya: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and headed out.

She got on the train to Shinjuku and sat down. She looked up and noticed Sae sitting across from her. Sae noticed her too. The train started moving. “Hi there,” Sae said.

“Uh, hi,” Ren replied.

“You’re the girl Sakura-san’s taking care of, right?”

“Uh, yeah…” Ren replied, unsure of where this was going.

“Hm,” Sae said. She frowned slightly. “I hope he’s not too mad at me about those files.” Ren was curious. Sae sighed. “I know I can come off as a bit aggressive, but my job doesn’t allow room for errors. I need to be absolutely certain about everything. It’s not…much of an excuse, but I hope that one day he’ll be able to understand.”

Ren was a little perplexed, but willing to engage a little. “Um, well, he’s actually fairly understanding.” Sae took interest. “You just gotta be straight with him. He respects that.”

Sae paused for a moment, before letting out a “Hm. Thanks…but I don’t know if it’d be that easy. Not from Sojiro’s perspective, but from what I’m working on. It’s so many moving parts that it’s hard for me to even keep track of. But I know that when it comes together, it’ll be something magnificent.”

“Well…” Ren said, still unsure of what to say, “I think Sojiro is more understanding than you think.”

“I appreciate you trying to help,” Sae responded. “Really, I do. But…” Sae wasn’t sure how to respond. She sighed. “Maybe I’ll give it a try. When I’m not too busy.” Ren smiled. “So, what are you doing heading to Shinjuku on a school night?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Ren stuttered. “There’s a really cool fortune teller up there. I’m going to see her.”

Sae was stunned. “I didn’t peg you as someone interested in that sort of thing.”

“I wasn’t,” Ren explained. “At least not when I came to Tokyo.”

Sae smiled. “I see. It seems like your parole is suiting you well.”

“I…guess you could say that…” Ren said.

“This Stop: Shinjuku Station!”

“Hm hm. Well, looks like this is our stop,” Sae said. She stood up and walked out. Ren followed suit. Before moving in their separate directions, Sae slightly turned to Ren and said “You don't have to believe me, but I am trying to help you too.” Sae walked off.

Ren was confused and unsure what Sae meant exactly, but was relieved that things didn’t get out of control. She walked off to find Chihaya.

Once at Chihaya’s table, Chihaya greeted Ren “Oh hello! How did your trip go?”

“Pretty well, all things considered,” Ren said. “So, how are things going with you?”

“Well…” Chihaya said. Mind if I grab something from the vending machine?”

“Go ahead,” Ren said.

“Thanks. I’ll be right back,” Chihaya said. She walked off. She came back with two drinks. “I got something for you as well.”

“Thanks,” Ren replied.

Chihaya nodded. “Let’s go around the corner.” She put up a sign saying she was on break. The two of them were drinking their drinks on a nearby bench. “Ah! That hit the spot.”

“So, what’s on your mind?” Ren asked.

“Well….hmmmm,” Chihaya said. “I’m just really curious about how you can change fate through your words.”

“Oh, uh, well,” Ren said. “I’m not sure. I just have faith in them, I guess.”

“Hm,” Chihaya replied. “I guess I can see that. But faith is hard to come by. I don’t know if you know this, but I’m not originally from Tokyo.”

“Me too,” Ren said. “I grew up somewhere in the sticks.”

“Me too,” Chihaya replied. “My village was so isolated that in the winter no one could go in or out because no one bothered to plow the road to and from it.”

“OK, I wasn’t THAT out in the sticks,” Ren said. “But I doubt the small town politics change much.”

“Hm hm,” Chihaya laughed. “Probably not. I’ve always had these powers. And at first people saw them as a gift, but after predicting one too many bad things, it started to get seen as a curse, and everyone turned on me.”

“I know the feeling,” Ren said. “Not the powers, but the whole getting everyone turning on you thing.”

“Right…” Chihaya said. “When I was able to, I got out of my village and came to Tokyo to see if I could have a fresh start.”

“Well, I know it’s working out for me,” Ren said.

“It’s…sort of working,” Chihaya said.

“But not all the way?” Ren wondered.

“Well…it’s just…” Chihaya sighed. “I dunno. What helped things work out for you?”

“That’s easy,” Ren replied with no hesitation. “I made friends with so many amazing people. Despite everything, I feel stronger with them by my side.”

“I see…” Chihaya said, intrigued.

Ren giggled. “You know that includes you too, right?”

“Oh!” Chihaya gasped. She giggled back. “Of course.”

“And you have me too now,” Ren said. “So if you need anything, don’t hesitate to give me a call.”

Chihaya smiled. “Of course. And thank you. You’ve shown me how your power works first hand.”

Ren smiled back. “Any time.”

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 4

Chihaya finished her drink. “Ah! Well, I should get back to work. You wanna join me?”

“I would, but it’s a school night…” Ren replied.

“It’s OK,” Chihaya said. “Good night.”

“Good night,” Ren replied. She finished her drink, threw the can away, and headed home.

Meanwhile, Sae walked into Crossroads. She was a little stunned, but reminded herself that this was a bar. “Hey!” Ohya cheered. “It’s the prosecutor!”

“Hello,” Sae answered. She walked in and took a seat next to Ohya. “I’ll take a soda.”

“Comin’ right up,” Lala said. She got her her soda.

“So, what do you wanna talk about?” Ohya said.

“A few things,” Sae answered.

“Oooo, you’re serious,” Ohya replied.

“And I suggest you do the same,” Sae told her.

“Ah, c’mon, I’m not even buzzed,” Ohya said.

“It’s true,” Lala said. “I’ve known her long enough to know when she’s REALLY drunk.”

“Well, I’m working on something serious,” Sae said. “And I need your help. So I don’t need some floaty answers that get me nowhere.”

“You’re working with Okumura, right?” Ohya asked.

“Yes,” Sae said.

Ohya raised her eyebrow. “Buuuuuut…?”

“But what?” Sae asked.

“Is there really no caveat?” Ohya wondered.

“Depends,” Sae answered. “How much of this meeting is going to be off the record.”

“Oh ho,” Ohya said. “I see this isn’t your first rodeo. Alright, let’s take this whole thing off the record for now.”

“Very well then,” Sae replied. “I am only working with Okumura nominally. In reality, I suspect he may know something about the mental shutdown cases and working with him is just a means of getting closer to the truth.”

“Ooo, you are a sly one,” Ohya replied.

“The reason I’m talking to you now is because I think you have a similar suspicion,” Sae said.

“Hm. What makes you say that?” Ohya taunted.

“I'm a prosecutor,” Sae said. “I do my homework. Does the name Kayo Kobayashi ring a bell?”

Ohya was shocked. “You’re really serious, huh.”

“I think I’ve made that clear,” Sae replied.

“Very well,” Ohya said. “What about Kayo?”

“You think she’s innocent, right?” Sae asked.

“And what of it?” Ohya said.

“I have a feeling you may be right,” Sae said. Ohya was stunned. “But I can’t do anything without information.”

“And you think I have the info you’re looking for?” Ohya posed.

“Precisely,” Sae confirmed.

“So, what information would that be?” Ohya asked.

“I want your source on your Phantom Thief stories,” Sae said.

“Woah, hold on!” Ohya shrieked. “That’s…a really big ask to say the least.”

“I’m tasked with figuring out these mental shutdowns,” Sae retorted. “If THAT isn’t a big ask…”

“R-Right…” Ohya replied. “But I can’t just betray their trust like that.”

“So, you won’t help me?” Sae asked.

“Not like that,” Ohya said. “I can maybe keep you in the loop on some things.”

“You’re being cagey too?” Sae insinuated. “I thought you were better than Okumura.

“HEY!” Ohya snapped. “Okumura’s just trying to protect himself. I’m protecting someone else!”

Sae glared at her and tilted her head. “I’M trying to protect all of JAPAN!”

Ohya glared back at her. “So are The Phantom Thieves.”

“How do you know for sure?” Sae asked.

“Hm,” Ohya chuckled. “I don’t. But I have more faith in them at the moment than the justice system.”

Sae definitely felt the sting on that. She sighed. “I guess we aren’t getting anywhere.”

“I guess not,” Ohya said, simmering down.

Sae finished her drink. She left some cash on the counter. “Thanks for the drink.” She got up. She looked at Ohya. “You promised me that this was off the record. I hope that this…less than ideal conversation doesn’t change that.”

“Hah, what do you take me for?” Ohya said. “If I’m not selling out my source, I’m not selling you out either.”

“Hm,” Sae smirked. “Very well. You might hear from me intermittently.”

“Well, it’d be a nice change of pace at least,” Ohya said. “All I get are calls from my boss.”

“Very well,” Sae said. She left.

“Do you really not have faith in her?” Lala asked. “She’s a bit abrasive, I know, but she seems good-natured at least.”

“Almost like lookin’ in a mirror to an alternate dimension where I’m worth somethin’,” Ohya said. She took another drink. “I would have helped her, but she was asking me too much, you know?”

“I do,” Lala said. 

Ohya sighed. “I hope The Phantom Thieves can help her too.”

Sae was on her way to the train. She checked her watch. She had some time before the last train departed. “I guess it couldn’t hurt.” She looked around.

She eventually found Chihaya’s booth. “Oh. Good evening ma’am. Are you interested in having your fortune read?”

“I think so,” Sae said.

“Well then, have a seat,” Chihaya replied. Sae sat down. “Is this your first time getting your fortune read?”

“Yes,” Sae said. “I’m usually more of a fact-oriented person, but I’m willing to try anything.”

“Well, I can’t say that’s the first time I’ve heard that,” Chihaya said. “Now let’s see.” She focused her power. “Oh! Oh my!”

Sae was curious. “What is it?”

“You have…a very interesting fortune to say the least,” Chihaya answered.

“What do you mean?” Sae asked.

“Hold on,” Chihaya said. She started dealing out 13 Tarot Cards.

Sae was even more confused. “Aren’t there only supposed to be three?”

“Usually, yes,” Chihaya answered. “But your fortune is very unusual to say the least.” She finished dealing out the cards. There was 11 on one side, one on the other side, and in the middle was the last card on its side.

She flipped the middle card first. “The Judgement on its side.”

“...What does that mean?” Sae asked.

“I sense that you are in the middle of something big,” Chihaya answered, albeit in a roundabout fashion.

Sae was surprised. “I…I am.” She looked at the table some more. “What do the other cards mean?”

Chihaya flipped the solo card. “The Hunger wishes to pull The Judgement in reverse.”

Sae was curious. “...Meaning?”

“The Judgement reversed would allow you to be consumed by darkness and lies,” Chihaya explained. Shen then flipped the other 11. “The Fool, The Magician, The Priestess, The Empress, The Emperor, The Lovers, The Chariot, The Adjustment, The Hermit, The Aeon, and The Faith wish to pull The Judgement upright. Meaning that you will find the answers that you seek.”

“So, if I want that, what do I have to do?” Sae asked.

“Let’s see…” Chihaya said. She began to concentrate some more. “It appears that you view those 11 as your enemies. Once you realize they’re on your side too, only then will The Judgement be upright.”

“Hmmmm,” Sae said. “And how do I figure that out?”

“Only you can answer that question,”Chihaya said.

“Very well,” Sae said. She paid Chihaya. “Thank you. This was…a rather unusual experience.”

“You and me both,” Chihaya replied. “Thank you.” Sae got up and got on the train.

She reflected on the evening’s events. Hmmm. That reporter is really stubborn. I get that. I know I can be as well. And who are these eleven people? And why do I view them as enemies? Maybe once I figure that out, they can help me figure out this whole Phantom Thieves thing. I have a lot of stuff I need to figure out, huh.

Notes:

Boy this is a meaty chapter, but I think it's worth it. I almost considered splitting this into two chapters, but I feel like this is cohesive enough where it won't feel out of place.

So, we've arrive at Ann 10. I have to say Ann's Confidant both changed and stayed the same, and I think I did a good job here. I'm a little wishy-washy on the in game confidant, but I feel like the changes I brought helped me understand Ann's character more while staying true to who she is in game.

Following Sae has also proved to be interesting. I had not anticipated any of this, but I knew I needed something more for reasons I don't want to say yet. This just happened to be a happy little accident. A lot my my writing tends to be that. I have an idea, but I have no way of knowing how to get there, and then I write something, and then it becomes the answer: Simple as that.

Ayways, enjoy.

Chapter 158: This War of Mine

Chapter Text

Friday after school, Ren decided to stop by the arcade in Akihabara to check in on Shinya. As she entered, she heard him cursing up a storm even more aggressively than usual. She approached him cautiously. “Um, Shinya?”

“WHAT?!” Shinya snapped, turning around. Once he saw that it was Ren, he settled down somewhat. “Oh, it’s you. Sorry…”

“Eh heh,” Ren laughed nervously. “Are you…feeling alright?”

Shinya was hesitant to answer. “...I’m just a little hungry.”

“Oh,” Ren said, surprised by the banality of the answer. “Well, why don’t we get something to eat? My treat.”

Shinya looked hopeful. “Really?” Ren nodded. “Sweet! Thanks!” The two of them decided to head out.

Ren decided to take him to the diner on Central Street. She knew Sojiro had stuff that would satisfy his palette, but the diner had more choices, and it wasn’t as far out from the arcade as Leblanc was. They place their orders. “Hey,” Shnya said. Ren looked at him “Thanks again.”

“Hm hm. No problem,” Ren said.

Shinya looked a little disappointed. “I…wouldn’t usually be this hungry. But in the ongoing war at school, some of the other kids put eraser crumbs into my food so I couldn’t eat that much.”

Ren was surprised. “That…sounds rough.”

“It’s not that bad,” Shinya said. “That’s them going easy.”

“So, this ‘war’...what else happens in it?” Ren wondered.

“Eh, don’t worry about it,” Shinya said. “It’s nothing I can’t handle.”

“Hah…eh…hm…” Ren mumbled.

“Really, it’s fine,” Shinya said.

“You say that,” Ren said, “but it sounds like they’re bullying you.”

“You don’t know what’s going on,” Shinya protested.

“I do,” Ren responded. “I…was bullied a lot too, you know.”

Shinya was surprised. “Really?” Ren nodded. “Hmmmm.”

“Do you need help?” Ren asked.

Shinya pondered the question. “I…just need to get stronger. Like The Phantom Thieves.”

“Huh,” Ren said, unsure of how to respond.

“My mom says that we need to be strong, since no one else will be strong for us,” Shinya said.

“What about your dad?” Ren asked.

“He left my mom,” Shinya said. “That’s why she says no one will be strong for us. I’ve heard a lot of other moms saying mean things about her. And their kids, my classmates, say the same things.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said, understanding.

“They don’t understand,” Shinya said. “And when I try to explain it to them, they just ignore me. Or worse. That’s why I can’t afford to lose the war.”

“Hmmmm,” Ren pondered. She was familiar with Shinya’s situation, but not with all the details. She was hesitant to intervene, worried that failure during the intervention would only make things worse. But that didn’t mean she couldn’t do anything. “Well, whenever the war gets to be too much, you know you can always message me, and we’ll play some Gun About, or go out to eat again, or something.”

Shinya was excited. “Really?!” Ren nodded. “Ha! Thanks. That… Thanks.”

Tower-Shinya Oda: Rank 3

Their food arrived. “Well then, let’s dig in,” Shinya proposed. The two of them began eating. After the meal, Ren guided Shinya back to Akihabara. “I’ve got it from here. But thanks again Ren!”

“My pleasure,” she replied.

“Well, seeya later!” Shinya said, running off. Ren waved back.

Later that evening, Ren decided to stop by the Church in Kanda. She wanted to check in with Hifumi to see how she was doing. Unfortunately, she got her answer in the worst way possible. She noticed an imposing woman talking to Hifumi. “...Mother, we’re in a church.”

“Well, if you’d just listen to me, we wouldn’t be having this issue,” Hifumi’s mom said.

“Mother…” Hifumi moaned again.

Ren decided to intervene. “Um, hi,” Ren said. Both of them looked at her. “Hifumi asked if we could hang out tonight. But…”

Hifumi’s mom looked at Ren and smiled. “Hifumi, is she a friend of yours?”

“Yes?” Hifumi answered.

“Well, why didn’t you tell me you had such a cute friend,” Hifumi’s mom. “You should bring her along. I think the photographers would like you and her together.”

“Mother!” Hifumi protested, as Ren’s face went pale and pink at the same time. “She doesn’t need that kind of attention.”

“Please, anyone would kill for that kind of attention,” Hifumi’s mom said.

“I…disagree…” Hifumi said, nervously.

“WHAT?!” Hifumi’s mom shouted. “Do you even know what you’re saying?! I’m your mother! I know what’s best, and how to make things work!” She huffed. “We can continue this conversation when you get home later. I don’t want to keep you and your friend waiting.” She rushed out of the church.

Ren sat down next to Hifumi. “I’m…sorry you had to see all that…” Hifumi apologized.

“It’s…fine…” Ren said. “Honestly, being called ‘model material’ isn’t the worst thing that’s happened to me.” Hifumi was still a little upset. “I take it that was your mom.” Hifumi nodded. “And she still wants you to model more and stuff?”

“Well…” Hifumi explained, “if it was just that, it’d be one thing. But she’s gone off the deep end!”

Ren was surprised. “That doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s terrible!” Hifumi continued. “She actually wants me to THROW my next match. She says it’ll be good for my image. Can you believe it?!”

“Yikes,” Ren said.

“My father can’t even talk her out of it either. She ignores him completely when it comes to his opinion,” Hifumi sighed. “I hate having to do this, but I think we need to fall back on what we discussed in Hawaii. She is actively trying to destroy everything I love and forcing me into everything I hate.”

Ren got her phone out. “Just say the word, and her name is up on the Phansite.”

Hifumi looked intently at Ren. “Mitsuyo Togo.”

Ren put the name up. “And done!”

Hifumi smiled. “Thanks.” She frowned again. “I really didn’t want to have to do this, but if I hesitated like this in Shogi, I’d lose 1,000 times over. And I don’t want to lose like that in life.”

“I get it,” Ren said. “It can be hard to go against the ones you care for.”

“Are you going through something too?” Hifumi said.

“Well, kind of,” Ren said. “It’s not quite what you’re going through, but…” she sighed. “I…don’t want to go back to my hometown. I love it too much here. I can’t go back at this point. But I don’t know how to tell my parents.”

Hifumi placed her hand on Ren’s. “You’ve helped me this much, now allow me to help you. Whatever you need to do, do it! I’ve waited too long to do something about my mother, and it only got worse as time went on. You need to just go for it the first chance you get.!”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 7

“So, um, as long as we’re here, do you wanna play a few rounds?” Hifumi asked. “Perhaps if I’m out long enough, my mother will tire herself out and hopefully be asleep or too busy to yell at me some more when I get back.

Ren chuckled. “Sure.” The two of them played some shogi for a bit, before they both needed to go home.

Chapter 159: Moving Parts

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Saturday, Sae got called into the SIU Director’s office. “You wanted to see me sir?”

He held up a file. “You wanted to reopen this case?”

“Yes sir,” Sae said.

“Why?” the director asked. “We already know who's responsible.”

Sae huffed slightly. “With all due respect, I’ve been working on the mental shut-down case for a long time now. I know one when I see it.

“So, you think this Kayo Kobayashi is innocent?” the director asked once again. “Need I remind you, she hasn’t been seen since the incident. Perhaps she disappeared into the shadows and is operating this whole mental shut-down case from a secure location.”

“Sir,” Sae said, shocked. “That…would take an extraordinary amount of time, effort, and money that I don’t think the suspect has.”

“This whole case is filled with extraordinary details, isn’t it?” the director rebutted.

“Hm. You have a point,” Sae relented. “What if I told you that reopening the case might get us closer to The Phantom Thieves?”

“NOW you’re speaking my language,” the director responded. “But do tell me, how does it do that?”

“Kobayashi’s former partner, Ichiko Ohya, has been looking into her case,” Sae explained. “She’s also on the Phantom Thief beat, and has made some predictions that turned out to be accurate.”

“So, you think that by reopening the case officially, you’d get her to open up more?” the director assumed.

“That is correct,” Sae said.

“Very well. I’ll look into it,” the director said. “It might take some time. Remember, the whole country is in disarray.”

“Of course,” Sae said. “I am the last person you need to remind.”

“Good,” the director said. “And remember: don’t count on anything. Even if we do reopen the investigation, we may get the same result; no matter how much this Ohya woman wants to deny it.”

“Right. Of course,” Sae said, dying a little inside. She bowed. “Thank you for your time.” She headed back to her office.

Once she was gone, the director picked up the phone. “Hello…Yes, this is he…Your unruly reporter has still not given up! Worse yet, she seems to have information on The Phantom Thieves she isn’t disclosing!…Tighten the screws on her further. That’s an order!…I’m glad you understand.” He hung up. “Honestly, some people just don’t get it.”

After school, Ren headed down to Dr. Maruki’s office. “Come in!” Maruki said as she knocked on the door. Ren entered. “Ah. Welcome back. What brings you here today?”

Ren paused for a moment. “...Honestly, it’s a mixture of things.”

“Oh. Well then…” Maruki said.

Ren sighed. “Ever since coming to Tokyo, I’ve started feeling better about myself. I’ve opened up. I’ve made friends. I…even got a girlfriend.”

“All great news,” Maruki replied.

“It is…” Ren said. “... but that’s also an issue.”

“Oh?” Maruki wondered.

“I’m sure I don’t need to remind you,” Ren explained, “but I’m only here on parole. And when that’s up, I’ll be asked to go back home.”

“And I’m guessing you don’t want that,” Maruki said. Ren nodded. “I see. Have you told anyone?”

“Not…anyone who could make that decision,” Ren answered. “I’m…nervous…”

“Well, anyone would be nervous,” Maruki replied.

“Right, but I’m always nervous,” Ren said. “I’m nervous about helping people, I’m nervous about meeting new people, I’m nervous about telling people I’m a lesbian, I’m nervous to say what I mean.” She sighed. “I’m nervous every time we go into the metaverse. I’m nervous about what kind of madness we’ll be up against next. 

We are on the precipice of finding out who may be behind the mental shutdown cases, but I’m not excited; I’m scared. Scared about what the answer will be, and what that means for us Thieves…for Japan…for what Eris wants. So why am I the leader of The Phantom Thieves, when I’m always so scared of everything?”

Maruki listened intently. “Hm. Well. That’s a lot.”

“I know the answer must not be easy,” Ren replied.

“Well, in a sense, it is,” Maruki replied. Ren was confused. “Sorry. I don’t mean to downplay your emotions. In fact, I’ve been struggling with similar emotions recently. But the answer is obvious. It’s just…everything after is a little…why don’t I just explain it to you?”

“Al…right?” Ren replied, confused.

Maruki nodded. “Very well. See, the opposite of courage isn’t fear or nervousness. It’s inaction. I know fear can lead to inaction, but everything I know about you suggests you take those actions regardless of how nervous you are.”

“Well…” Ren said, processing everything Maruki was saying.

“I mean, look at me,” Maruki said. “I was trying to create a world that didn’t require action. You just had your dreams come true. I was scared, and instead of taking any action to try and process that fear, I was retreating into it.

You confront your fears. You opened up and told me you were a lesbian. You reach out to me and others when you feel unsure. You fight others as Phantom Thieves time and time again. If that’s not bravery, I don’t know what is.

Of course, I’m not saying you shouldn’t be afraid. In fact, oftentimes courage and fear go together. You don’t want to be so scared that you don’t take action, yet you don’t want to be so foolhardy that you want to endanger yourself. Of course finding that balance isn’t easy, and isn’t with you 100% of the time, but I think you’re braver than you give yourself credit for.

You’re not the leader of The Phantom Thieves because you’re the least scared. You’re the leader because you’re scared where it counts. Or…something to that effect. It is weird saying it like that, but you get it, right?”

Ren smiled. “I…think I do. You know, I feel like I knew that, but a part of me forgot about it. Or…something…”

Maruki chuckled. “That could very well be.” He smiled. “You know, there’s another thing that makes you a good leader of The Phantom Thieves.”

Ren was curious. “What is it?”

“Heh heh,” Maruki chuckled. “You inspire people.” Ren was confused again. “I like to think that I learn from every conversation I have as a therapist, but I learn a lot from you especially. Although this is just my personal experience. But I feel like we grow together. And moreso, from what I’ve seen, you have that effect on people. And people tend to circle around people like that.”

“Well, I can honestly say I’ve never thought of that,” Ren said.

“I guess that’s fair,” Maruki said. “But it’s like the idea of the grass is always greener on the other side. Sometimes, we just need help remembering the better qualities of ourselves.”

“I see… Ren said. “Well, in case you forgot. You are an exceptional listener. You are very knowledgeable on how to help people, and you do so with gusto. You may have made mistakes, but you’re learning and growing as well.”

Maruki was surprised. “Well…I wasn’t exactly fishing for compliments…”

Ren giggled. “I just wanted to say ‘thanks’ for all the times you’ve helped me out.”

“Well, I just do it because I like it,” Maruki said.

“I help people because I like it too,” Ren replied.

Maruki chuckled back. “Well, if that isn’t an understatement…”

Councilor-Takuto Maruki: Rank 7

Ren stood up. “Thanks again,” she said. She grabbed a snack, and headed out.

“...I didn’t even need to remind her this time…” Maruki said.

Meanwhile, in the Vice Principal’s office, Ogata got a phone call. “Hello?”

“Hello,” the SIU director said on the other line.

“Sir!” Ogata replied, tensing up.

“You remember what you contacted us about earlier?” the director said.

“Of course!” Ogata replied. “Have you made progress?”

“There’s been a change of plans,” the director said. “We want you to drop out.”

“WHAT?!” Ogata said shocked. “But sir!”

“I know,” the director said. “However, we have bigger plans for you.”

“...Really?” Ogata replied.

“Yes,” the director said. “Tell me: Why run for Principal for a school, when you could run to become a Diet Member?”

“...You want me to run for the Diet?” Ogata asked.

“Is that a problem?” the director responded.

“Um, well,” Ogata said, “it’s just, the seat I’d run for…isn’t Mr. Okumura running for that seat?”

The director scowled. “Okumura has strayed from the path. Besides, his candidacy is too toxic with the strike and Phantom Thieves. But of course, you won’t let us down, will you?”

“No sir!” Ogata barked. “I am a tool to be used however is seen fit for the upcoming administration.”

The director smirked. “Good. I’ve already set up a meeting with you and him about your candidacy.”

“It is an honor and a privilege,” Ogata said.

“Indeed it is,” the director said. They hung up. He smiled. “Pretty soon, this whole Phantom Thieves business will be no more. And he can become the leader that Japan needs. That the WORLD needs.”

That evening, Ren received an urgent message

Ohya: EMERGENCY!

Ohya: I need as much info as you can produce STAT!

Ren: What’s going on?

Ohya: Just come to Shinjuku.

Ohya: I’ll explain when you get there.

Ren: OK…

Ren was concerned, so she embarked on a train to Shinjuku as fast as possible.

When she entered, she saw Ohya face-down on the counter. Lala noted her entrance. “Well, I’m glad it was you she contacted.”

Ren took her usual seat. “So, what seems to be the issue?”

“Uggggghhhhhhh,” Ohya groaned. She got back up. “My boss was on my ass today.”

“Not…literally I hope,” Rn replied.

“Nah,” Ohya said. “He was just yelling. Although thanks for cheering me up a bit. The idea he’d try to make a play on me is comedy GOLD! Ha ha! But MAN it was a lot.”

“What was he yelling about?” Ren asked.

“Well…he seems to think I know more about The Phantom Thieves than I'm letting on…” Ohya explained. “And he’s demanding more information.”

“Is…that why you called me here?” Ren asked.

“Kind of,” Ohya said. She downed her drink. “But what REALLY set me off is what he said about Kayo. He seems to have been tipped off that I’m still looking into the case, and he just said ‘We don’t defend murderers here’.”

“Yikes,” Ren said.

“UGH! Tell me about it!” Ohya replied, slamming her head back down.

“Well…as much as I’d like to help…” Ren began, “I don’t know how much I can actually tell you…”

“PLEASE!” Ohya said. “Any little thing will help. Favorite colors, blood types, star signs, favorite food, something, ANYTHING!” She sighed. “I just need something to give so I can continue looking into Kayo’s case.”

“AH HA!” a voice boomed. Everyone turned to see Ohya’s boss. “You ARE still looking into Kayo’s case!”

“Ummmmmmmmmmmmm,” Ohya said, stunned.

“Like I said earlier, we don’t defend murders!” Ohya’s boss said.

Ohya slammed her fist. “Kayo is NOT a murderer!”

“You’re too close!” Ohya’s boss fired back. “You can’t see the truth!”

“I see nothing BUT the truth!” Ohya retorted. “And the truth of what I’m seeing is that you’re a pathetic little shit who’d rather turn their backs on everyone just to save their own skin!”

“THAT’S IT OHYA!” her boss shouted. “I’ve kept you on board despite your numerous failings because you get results! But this time, you’ve gone too far! I’m opening an ethics investigation into you!”

“What?!” Ohya responded, indignant.

“Hm. Should be easy getting you kicked out,” Ohya’s boss said. “Once you’re out, you can spend more time with your ‘boyfriend’ over there. Ta ta.” He left.

Ohya again face planted on the counter. This time she screamed as loud as she could, though it was muffled by the counter. “You want another drink?” Lala said. “The next one’s on the house.”

Ohya lifted her head slightly. “Thanks,” she said. Lala went to make her another drink. “Ugh! This bites.”

Ren saw what had just happened. “I could probably get you some information…” she said, slyly. Ohya looked at her confused. “You are familiar with the fact that outside of the bigger names, The Phantom Thieves go after smaller targets, right?”

“Yeah…” Ohya answered.

“Well, I think we just found their next smaller target,” Ren said. “All I need to know is their name…”

“You mean…” Ohya said, surprised. Ren nodded. Ohya turned to Lala. “Lala, what do you think?”

“I know that you and your boss don’t see eye-to-eye,” Lala explained, “and that you can be a little much, but I’ve never seen him like this before. I say what do you have to lose at this point?”

“Well, if Lala’s OK with it, then sure,” Ohya said. “I mean, she is right. Up until…actually, now that I think about it, it was after Kayo’s incident…he wasn’t such a bad guy. He’s got a wife and kids who he cares about a lot. He can be a bit of a hardass, but I know I can be a bit of a gadfly too. But man, after that, he’s been SOOOO aggressive and…honestly, kind of a wuss. At least when it came to big names and stuff.”

“Speaking of names…” Ren said.

“Oh right,” Ohya said. “His name is Shinpei Honjo. I’m just telling you all of that because I know this has to be done, but I want The Phantom Thieves to know there’s more to him than just being an asshole.”

“I’m not sure you have to worry too much,” Lala said. “He didn’t seem too worried about your nuance.”

“Or Kayo’s,” Ren pointed out.

“Right…” Ohya said. “But if we disregard nuance, we’d be no better than him. And there ain’t much worse that I can get.”

“I disagree,” Ren said. Ohya was surprised. “You may be a little, shall we say, unorthodox, but you have a good heart.”

Ohya was stunned. She smiled. “Thanks kid.”

“You know, Kayo saw that too,” Lala said.

“Yeah…” Ohya said, embarrassed.

“I think you just need someone like her,” Lala continued. “And as much as I’ve tried being that person, I haven’t been as successful.”

“Well…it’s different with you and me,” Ohya explained. “We’ve known each other for a long time. That’s not to say you haven’t helped. I mean, without you I’d be a wreck. But…”

“I think I get it,” Ren said. They both looked at her. “Ohya needs more than just one person to bolster her position. I’m…kind of the same way.”

Lala smiled. “You’re drink’s on the house too.”

“Thanks, Ren replied.

“Hey! We’re house buddies!” Ohya said. She raised her glass. “Cheers!” Ren clinked her glass with Ohya’s.

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 7

Ohya took a sip. “Come what may, I still wanna see you around.”

Ren was confused. “What do you mean?”

“Well, there’s no guarantee that The Phantom Thieves will go after my boss,” Ohya explained. “So if it comes to me losing my job, I still want you to help me. Or even just be there to drink by my side.”

“...I…have a feeling The Phantom Thieves will listen…” Ren said.

“Well, we’ll see,” Ohya said. She took another sip. “I am, however, THIS close to getting drunk, so while I appreciate you being there for me, I don’t think you wanna be there for Typhoon Ohya.”

Ren giggled.”I guess I’ll evacuate before it makes landfall.” She got up. “Seeya!”

“Later kid!” Ohya said. Ren went back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

In every arc I always feel really excited for the next arc, and this time is no different. I think it's because it starts forming in one way or another, and this arc is forming the next one highly. But we do need to get through this arc first, and I am just as excited to do that.

We're starting to get into the really big changes with this arc, and it'll only go up from there, and I can't wait to see the results of those changes. Spoiler alert: I'm going to be a little more definitive than the game. I've had a conversation with my roommate about why the ending isn't as definitive and why that's good despite what other people might say. He says that the idea of the game revolves around humanity being a mixture of both good and evil, and that if you desire change you need to instigate it and not be dependent on something spectacular. And while I understand that, an I think is an inherent part of my narrative, I want to expand more on things and say that things do change and in what direction they do so. It's not like this replaces canon. Although sometimes I do get a bit too deep in the paint and some wires can get crossed, but I think that's to be expected with over 150 chapters in this story.

Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 160: Reach In to Reach Out

Chapter Text

Sunday morning, Ren woke up to a text message from Lena.

Lena: Hey, do you mind if I stop over today?

Ren: Sure! Come on by.

Lena: Thanks!

Lena: See you later!

Ren: Later!

Ren put her phone away, and got ready for the day.

A little later, Lena came over. “Hi!” Lena said.

“Hey,” Ren replied. “Do you wanna be in here, or up in my room?”

“I…feel like your room might be better,” Lena said. “I’m…a little embarrassed.”

“Well then, let’s head on up,” Ren said. She led Lena up the stairs. Ren took the chair at the workstation, while Lena sat on the couch. “So, what’s up?”

“Well…” Lena said. “I’ve been thinking. I’ve been wanting to discuss this with other people, but I figured I should start with you. Mainly because you’re one of the few people I can discuss everything I’m thinking about with.”

“Hm?” Ren said, curious.

Lena took a deep breath. “So, you know how once we change Okumura’s heart, we’ll probably figure out who’s behind the mental-shutdown business.” Ren nodded. “Well, then the case will be solved, and that’s one less thing for Goro to worry about. So, I was thinking that after the case is closed, I could take Goro out to celebrate!”

“Hm,” Ren said, impressed. “And you need help figuring out what to do?”

“Well, kind of,” Lena said. “It’s not that I don’t have anything figured out; the opposite, in fact. I have too many ideas, and I don’t know how to narrow it down. I mean, we’ve already been to Dome Town, but it was nice, and I’d like to go again. And then there’s that cafe he likes. Or that other cafe he likes. There’s Destiny Land, the beach, the park, Penguin Sniper-”

“OK, I think I get it,” Ren interjected. “That is a lot of places.”

“Right,” Lena said. She sighed. “I don’t know where to begin narrowing things down. What do you think?”

Ren began thinking. “Hmmmmm. Well, all those sound good,” Lena nodded, “but let’s think about what Akechi will be like after the case is closed.”

“Huh,” Lena said. She went into thought. “Well… This whole thing has been an ordeal on the whole country. And he’s still working other cases, making public appearances, going to school, and all sorts of other things. I doubt he’d want to do something big. Perhaps something a little more subdued would be the answer.”

Ren giggled. “I think Sumire feels that way after a big meet.”

“Oh, speaking of, when is her next meet?” Lena asked.

“I think it’s soon,” Ren said. “I haven’t heard an exact date, but I’m sure she’ll tell us when she’s ready.” Lena chuckled. “I can’t wait!”

“Do you think Akechi would like to come with?” Ren asked.

“You know what, I think he would,” Lena said. “He’s rather cultured, and friends with Sumire.”

“And he knows we’re dating too, so we don’t need to dance around that,” Ren said.

“When did you tell him that?” Lena asked.

“He comes around every once in a while,” Ren said. She sighed. “To be honest, I might be keeping him more busy than he should be.”

“Oh, don’t be like that,” Lena said. “Goro isn’t the type of person to do something unless he really wants to.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “It’s just…”

“Hey!” Lena said, running Ren towards her. “Listen. You told me that I should make other friends, right?” Ren nodded. “Goro has every right to have other friends too.”

Ren chuckled. “Yeah… It’s just…” she sighed. “It’s been a lot, you know. I haven’t had a normal time since I got arrested. And it’s not that I don’t love you all, I do. But it’s a lot. And I don’t want to put that ‘a lot’ on anyone else.”

Lena paused. “Ren?” Ren looked up at her. “I haven’t had a normal time since coming to Tokyo myself. So you don’t have to worry about that for me. And in all honesty, you probably don’t have to worry about that for Goro either. I know he’d be worried if you just cut things off to make time for him for me without a good reason.”

“I…guess that’s true…” Ren said. “Heh. Sorry.”

“It’s OK,” Lena said. “We both have a lot on our minds. It makes sense that not everything is focused. But hey, once we change Okumura’s heart, we’ll be one step closer to figuring this out and stopping Eris.”

“Right,” Ren replied. “It is worth it to remember why we’re doing this.”

Lena giggled. “I almost forgot.” Ren looked at her, confused. “About Goro, I mean I was planning all of this stuff, when really he needs time to relax and be himself. And I know just the thing.”

“Hm. Glad I could help,” Ren responded.

“Hm hm. Glad I could help you as well,” Lena replied.

Adjustment-Lena Minamoto: Rank 4

“So, now that this is all settled,” Ren said, “what do you feel like doing?”

Lena looked around. “What do you usually do in here?”

“Well, there’s a few things,” Ren said. “Oh, right! Futaba recommended me this anime she says  I absolutely need to watch. Wanna watch it with me?”

“Of course!” Ren put on the anime, and she and Lena watched some of it together. They couldn’t finish it before Lena had to leave for the evening, but promised to do so at a later date.

A little after Lena left, Ren got a message from Iwai.

Iwai: Hey kid. You mind stopping on by tonight?

Ren: Sure. I’ll be there as soon as I can.

Iwai: Thanks.

Ren put her phone away and headed out.

Once she got there, she looked at Iwai and asked “What’s up?”

Iwai sighed. “I’m a bit nervous…”

“How so?” Ren asked.

Iwai paused for a moment. “I’ve been working on telling Kaoru the truth, but I can never summon the courage to do so. And then I thought I usually feel better after talking with you, so…”

“Gotcha…” Ren replied. “Well, to be honest, I’ve been nervous too. But I’ve been thinking over these past few days that you really just have to face your fears at some point.”

“Heh,” Iwai chuckled. “I’d thought you knew that already.”

“Well, sometimes you forget things,” Ren said.

“Ha! True,” Iwai said. “Sometimes I still carry myself like I’m still in the mafia, but I haven’t been a member in over a decade.” Iwai got a phone call. He checked. “Oh hey, It’s Kaoru.” He picked up. “Hello…WHAT?!...You BASTARD!...Grrrrrr…Fine!” he hung up in a rage. Ren was confused. “That was Masa,” Iwai explained. “He has Kaoru. I have to go!”

“Wait, I’ll come with!” Ren offered.

“You better not,” Iwai said. “You know what happened last time…”

“Yeah, but he needs help,” Ren protested. “I’m coming whether you want me or not!”

“Well, it’d be better if you came with me then,” Iwai explained. “Let’s go!” The two headed out.

Iwai led Ren to Masa’s position. Once they got there, they saw Masa holding Kaoru at knifepoint. “Well, well, well…” Masa said.

“Let go of Kaoru, you bastard!” Iwai screamed.

“Dad?!” Kaoru pleaded. “What’s going on?!” Iwai was worried.

“Yeah, tell him!” Masa replied. “I’m SURE he’d like to know why there’s a knife at his throat right now.”

Iwai glared at Masa. “Why are you doing this?!”

“Heh,” Masa laughed. “Tsuda messed up. So I’m here to fill the void. And my first order of business is finishing what he started. Which means I need what you promised Tsuda!”

“That ain’t gonna happen!” Iwai protested.

“Oh it will,” Masa replied. “Unless you never want to see your son again.” Iwai was hesitant. “Or maybe I could just tell him who you really are.”

Iwai was frozen. He didn’t know what to do. Ren noticed this right away, and decided to help. “Iwai!” she said. “Trust your son! He is your son!”

Iwai felt Ren’s passion. “Heh. You’re right,” Iwai said. “This all happened because I was a coward.” He looked at Kaoru. “Listen up! You know that story I told you about how you were found in a car crash?” Kaoru nodded. “That’s a lie! Truth is, back in the day…I was a member of the Yakuza. Your mom came to us trying to sell you. We declined, but she left you anyway. I got out to take care of you. And now Masa here, my old mafia buddy, is trying to use you to get what he wants!”

Kaoru was stunned. “Heh heh heh,” Masa laughed. “So you finally told him the truth. That he is an unwanted child, and his father is a screw-up!” Iwai looked disappointed.

“You’re wrong!” Kaoru called out, shocking everyone. “My father’s not a screw-up! He’s an accomplished businessman whom you’re trying to extort. And you say I’m unwanted? Then why are you using me? My father came all this way because he cares about me! We may not be blood-related, but he’s my father through and through. Our geckos prove it!”

Everyone was silent. Ren broke the silence with “Well damn…”

“Heh,” Iwai chuckled. “Kaoru… You’re bringing a tear to this old man’s eye.” He wiped his eyes. “I’m sorry things escalated to this point.”

“Yeah yeah, this is touching and all,” Masa said. “But it’s too late. You messed up Mune!”

“No, YOU messed up Masa!” Tsuda’s voice barked. He walked up to Masa from behind, took out his gun, and pointed it at Masa. “You told the higher ups it was my fault, and you did something stupid to try and usurp me! I suggest you get smart while your brain is still capable.”

Masa was shaken. He let go of Kaoru, who ran over to his dad who gave him a hug. Masa dropped his knife, and raised his hands. “Alright. Fine.”

“Hm,” Tsuda chuckled. “Glad you see things my way. Now let’s go.” Masa started heading off. Tsuda looked at Iwai and nodded. Iwai looked at him back and nodded in response. Their unity was strong once again. Tsuda then left.

Iwai looked back at Kaoru. “I’m glad you’re safe. I’m…sorry I got you into this mess.”

“It’s…well, it was scary,” Kaoru said. “But I never doubted you for a second. I knew you’d do anything to save me.”

“Heh,” Iwai said. “I was doubting myself. I still was. But then…” He looked at Ren.

Kaoru looked at her. “I see…” he said. He broke away from Iwai and walked over to her. “Thanks for helping my father.”

“No problem,” Ren said.

“I know it must have been a lot for you,” Kaoru said. “But it means a lot to me. So, I think it was worth it.”

“Hm,” Ren chuckled. “I think it was worth it too.”

Iwai smiled. “You doing alright, by the way?”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I’m just glad I didn’t get a gun pointed at me this time. If that happened, I don’t think I’d be able to keep my girlfriend from going to war with the mafia.”

“...Girlfriend?” Iwai wondered.

Ren was stunned. She just said it without really thinking about it. But inspired by Iwai’s honesty, Ren repaid it with some of her own. “Yeah…I’m a lesbian.”

“Hm,” Iwai chuckled. “No kidding. You know, I myself am Bi.”

“Huh,” Ren said.

Iwai chuckled. “Well, I think Kaoru and I need to have an honest conversation. I’ve been a little distant for a little too long, and I think it’s high time I changed that.”

Kaoru smiled. “Thanks dad.”

“In the meantime, here,” Iwai said, throwing Ren some cash. “Use that to treat your girlfriend. She deserves it.”

Ren giggled. “Right.”

Hanged Man-Munehisa Iwai: Rank 9

“Well, seeya round kid,” Iwai said.

“Seeya!” Kaoru said

“Bye!” Ren replied. The family of two headed off, and Ren did the same.

Meanwhile, Sumire was looking at herself intently in the mirror. She took a deep breath. “C’mon Sumire, you can do this! I know it’s a lot, but…you’ve faced worse before!” She nodded. “Although, I am gonna miss it… But still. I know they’ll understand.” She looked at herself and nodded, and then got ready for bed.

Chapter 161: Alchemy Girls

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Before school got started, Ren messaged Sumire.

Ren: Hey Sumi!

Ren: Are you free today?

Ren: I thought we could do something, just the two of us.

Ren: Like, a date, I mean.

Ren sighed into her phone. “I’m already dating her. Why do I still sound like a nervous wreck? I mean, I know I am, but…” Ren’s phone dinged.

Sumire: Um, actually…

Sumire: There’s something I want to talk to you about.

Ren: Is something the matter?

Sumire: Everything’s fine.

Sumire: …Mostly.

Ren: That doesn’t sound fine.

Sumire: I just need to talk about this in person.

Sumire: Can we meet at lunch on the rooftop?

Ren: Sure. Of course.

Sumire: Thanks.

Sumire: See you then.

Ren: See you.

Ren’s head was spinning. “Maybe I have every right to be a nervous wreck…”

Ren was having difficulty concentrating all morning. She was worried about her girlfriend. What does she want to talk about? Why is it just me? It’s probably not so bad. It might just be a dating thing. Maybe it’s a surprise. She wouldn’t do something bad. But why did she sound so distraught? Argh! This isn’t getting me anywhere.

The lunch bell rang, and Ren, sighed, relieved. She hurried to the roof as fast as she could. She got there before Sumire, and sat down on one of the chairs, anxiously twitching in anticipation and fear.

Meanwhile, Sumire was staggering up the stairs to the roof. She didn’t want to do this, but she knew she had to. Once she got to the door, she took a deep breath. “Here goes.”

As soon as the door opened, Ren’s entire focus was turned as her girlfriend emerged. “Hey Sumire,” she said. She noticed Sumire looked a little uneasy. “Is…everything alright?”

Sumire sighed. “Not…really…” She sat down in a chair across from Ren. “I mean, kind of. I mean…ugh…” Ren didn’t quite know how to react. “This is complicated…”

“Take your time…” Ren instructed.

Sumire nodded. She took a deep breath. “So, I got third place at the last meet.”

Ren perked up. “Sumire that’s great!”

“It is,” Sumire said. “But…I feel like Coach expected me to get first…and I kind of expected the same…”

“Well, you can’t blame yourself,” Ren said, ready to console her girlfriend. “You’re doing everything you can.”

“Well, not everything…” Sumire said. “And that’s what I wanted to talk about.” Ren was confused. “I’m thinking about…maybe leaving The Phantom Thieves.”

“What?!” Ren said, shocked.

Sumire sighed. “I knew you’d hate me…”

“No no,” Ren said. “I was just shocked. Why?”

“I haven’t been going to practice as much,” Sumire said. “I feel like I need to give it my all, and I don’t think I am.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“I still want to be friends with everyone,” Sumire explained. “And of course I still want to go out with you. But…it’s a lot…and I don’t know how to tell everyone.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Well, you know I’ll support you no matter what. And I’m sure everyone else will too.”

“They won’t be mad at me?” Sumire asked.

Ren shook her head. “You’re pursuing your dreams. Why would anyone be mad about that?”

Sumire smiled. “Thanks.” Both their stomachs growled. “Heh heh. I forgot my lunch.”

“Hm hm. Me too,” Ren replied.

“Let’s go grab it quick, and then we can find someplace to eat together,” Sumire suggested.

“Sounds like a plan,” Ren said. The girls left with a quiet sense of contentment and sorrow.

On their way to get their lunch, they bumped into Coach Hiraguchi. “Oh Coach!” Sumire exclaimed.

“Hello Sumire,” Hiraguchi replied.

“Oh, um, well, I suppose I was gonna tell you sooner or later,” Sumire said, “but I’m ready to come back to practice regularly. No more breaks!”

Hiraguchi looked at her, confused and stern. “Why?” she asked.

This confused both Sumire and Ren. “Um, because I’m ready to dedicate myself fully to gymnastics,” Sumire answered. Hiraguchi was still glaring. “I mean, I only got third at the last meet. If I want to get first, if I am going to be able to do my best, I need to practice more!”

Hiraguchi sighed. “I see… You want to practice more.”

“That’s right,” Sumire answered.

“Sumire…” Hiraguchi said. “Your issue isn’t your practicing…”

“Huh?” Sumire wondered. “But…some weeks I only come on one day!”

“You’re trying to find yourself,” Hiraguchi replied. “You still are. The reason you got third isn’t because of your lack of practice. It’s because you’re still a little lost.”

“Wha?” Sumire said.

“Um, I think she’s gotten a lot better,” Ren said.

Hiraguchi turned to Ren. “She has, don’t get me wrong. But…there are times where she’s leaning a little too much on Kasumi’s routines. Even now.” Sumire and Ren looked puzzled. “Perhaps the both of you can come to practice today,” Hirguchi suggested. “You’re good and understanding and helping Sumire.”

“Well…” Ren replied, embarrassed.

Hiraguchi smiled. “I’ll see you after school.” She walked on by.

“What…just happened?” Sumire asked.

“I think the coach knows something you don’t,” Ren replied.

“I…really thought I was over everything,” Sumire said.

Ren paused for a moment, and then sighed. “I mean, it's fie if you aren't. I know I’m still not…”

Sumire was surprised. “Really?” Ren nodded. “How so?” Before Ren could answer, both their stomachs growled again. “Oh right. Lunch.” Ren chuckled. “We’re hanging out after school. I can go over it with you then.”

“Sounds wonderful,” Sumire said. “Can’t wait.” The girls split up, ate a quick lunch, and then headed back to class.

The rest of the afternoon was still tense, but a little less so. It was less worrying about the devil they didn’t know and now the devil they did know. Still, they were assured by the fact that they were in it together.

After school, Sumire was waiting by the door, when Ren approached her. “Hm hm, Ready?”

“As ready as I could be,” Ren replied. “I had to scrounge up my training clothes.”

“Well then, let’s go,” Sumire said. They started walking at the train station. “So, about earlier…” Ren looked at her. “What aren’t you over?”

Ren let out a sigh. “I’m worried about a lot of things. And I know things have gotten better, but…” She sighed again.

Sumire placed her hand on Ren’s. “It’s OK. I’m here.”

Ren smiled, and then scowled. “I’m here on probation. So when it’s up, I’ll probably have to go home.”

“And you don’t want that?” Sumire asked.

“Of course not,” Ren said. “I know I’ve been here less than a year, but in that time I’ve made friends, I’ve gained confidence, I met you. In that short period of time, this place is starting to feel like my home.”

“Have you told your parents about this?” Sumire asked.

“No,’ Ren said. “I’m…scared.” Sumire was a little stunned. “I know they’re OK with me being a lesbian, but..what if they want me back? That doesn’t seem unreasonable, but it feels like it is.”

“Well, I could always help you tell your parents,” Sumire said.

“Thanks, but you’ve done a lot to help me,” Ren replied.

Sumire pulled Ren down and kissed her on the forehead. “I did that because I care about you. And besides, you’ve helped me a lot too.”

“Well, I…care..about…you…” Ren responded. “OK, I get it.” Sumire chuckled. Ren sighed. “I don’t know why I keep getting in my own head about things.”

“Well, I mean, I guess I’m the same way,” Sumire said. "I think we need to be there to bail each other out when we’re spiraling in our own self-doubt.”

Ren smiled. “Sounds like a plan.” The two continued to Coach Hraguchi’s studio. Their hands met a few times before they agreed to hold hands.

Once they arrived and got changed, they met with Coach. “OK! We’re ready!”

“Good,” Coach Hiraguchi said. “Let’s start with some stretches.” She turned to Ren again. “I want you to pay attention to Sumire. You understand how to phrase things with her better. I know I’m her coach, but I can only do so much.”

“Yes ma’am,” Ren replied. They started practice. Ren did as Hiraguchi asked. Although she was slightly distracted by her girlfriend in her workout gear, she was focused on helping Sumire. The practice itself was rigorous, but Ren had built up a good amount of stamina, and Sumire was no stranger to this kind of training.

Once practice was over, Ren, Sumire, and Coach Hiraguchi regrouped. “So Ren.” Ren looked up at Hiraguchi. “Did you notice what I’ve been noticing?”

Ren paused for thought for a moment. “I…think so? I’m not exactly sure, but I can tell some of her movements were a little stiff. Like, it feels practiced, but in a way that feels forced.”

Hiraguchi nodded. “Exactly. Judges take note of that kind of stuff.”

“So, what do I do?” Hiraguchi asked.

“You still feel like you’re in Kasumi’s shadow at times,” Hiraguchi said. “You’ve done a great job at finding yourself so far, but I don’t know if you’ve found yourself fully.”

Sumire frowned. Ren grew a little peeved. “Hold on a second,” she protested. “It is true that Sumire might be a little stiff here and there, but she’s made great strides these past few months.”

“Again, that’s true,” Hiraguchi said, “but she’s still clinging to her sister.”

“Well…maybe that’s just who she is,” Ren snapped back, surprising both of them. “I mean, yeah, it is important for Sumire to have her own identity, but part of that identity is who she loves, who she cares about. And she cares about her sister. She…can’t be here any more…but Sumire wants to carry a part of her with her.

I mean, they’ve been doing gymnastics together basically forever. To Sumire, Kasumi and gymnastics go together like coffee and curry. So maybe Sumire keeping a part of Kasumi in her routine is the most Sumire thing of all.”

Sumire and Hiraguchi were still stunned. Hiraguchi smirked. “Hm. I knew you had a better understanding of things than me.”

“Hm?” Ren responded.

“It seems so obvious when you say it out loud,” Hiraguchi said. “I thought Sumire was still stuck in the past, but I guess I was.”

Sumire turned to her coach. “What do you mean?”

“Well…” Hiraguchi explained, “sometimes after practice, Kasumi would come to me and explain how jealous she was of you.”

Sumire was shocked. “Of ME?!”

Hiraguchi nodded. “Sumire's so much more graceful than I ever could be. I don’t stand a chance against her in an actual competition.’”

“But…she won several times,” Sumire said. “I always got second.”

“She figured that once you found your spark, you’d bet her hand over fist,” Hiraguchi explained. “And although I didn’t say it to her, I agreed.” She looked at Ren. “And I think you found yourself a spark. And a really cute one at that.” Ren laughed nervously.

Sumire smiled. “Hm. So, Kasumi thought I could be better than her. I’d hate to prove her wrong...”

“So, what is your plan?” Hiraguchi asked.

Sumire pondered on that. “I…think I know what I need to do…but I need to figure out how exactly to do it.”

Hiraguchi nodded. “That sounds like a reasonable plan. I will however up your mandatory attendance to three times a week.”

“Of course…” Sumire replied.

Hiraguchi smiled. “After the next meet though.”

Sumire was confused. “Wait, really? But that’s in 10 days!”

“It is?” Ren wondered.

“Oh, uh, yeah…” Sumire replied. “I was gonna tell you earlier, but I was contemplating telling you about…the other thing…and…it was just a lot swirling in my head.”

“Gotcha…” Ren said.

“What other thing?” Hiraguchi asked.

“Oh, uh, it’s nothing,” Sumire said.

“It doesn’t sound like nothing,” Hiraguchi replied.

“Well…” Sumire said, nervously.

Hiraguchi smirked. “It almost sounds Phantom Thieves related.”

“I, uh, wha?” Sumire said, befuddled.

“Hm,” Hiraguchi smirked. “I’m not stupid. A lot of days you take off a Phantom Thief related incident occurs. I can put two and two together.”

“...And you’re not mad?” Sumire wondered.

“Of course not,” Hiraguchi replied. “I appreciate what you are doing. Besides, it’s helped you out this far, right?”

“O-Of course,” Sumire answered.

“Then that’s all I need to hear,” Hiraguchi said.

Sumire bowed. “Thank you, Coach.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “Take care now, you two.” She walked off.

Ren and Sumire looked at each other. “...We should probably get changed and go,” Sumire suggested.

“Yeah…” Ren agreed. They got changed back into more casual clothes and headed out. As they were walking, Ren said “So…that was…something…”

“Yeah,” Sumire agreed. “I had no idea Coach knew.”

“I’m just glad she’s on our side,” Ren pointed out. “She’s rather intense when she likes you. I’d hate to see what she’s like when she doesn’t like you.”

Sumire giggled. “True.” She paused for a moment. “So, it seems like leaving The Phantom Thieves isn’t the option.”

“Based on what Coach said, sounds like it,” Ren replied.

“I’m…more talking about what you said,” Sumire replied. “Coach said she wanted me to let go of Kasumi, but you said that that’s not who I am. And you’re right. But I don’t want to let go of you all either.”

Ren pulled her in for a side hug. “I don’t want to let go of you either.” The girls giggled and blushed. Ren then got a phone call. She checked. “It’s my dad.” She answered. “Hello?”

“Hey pumpkin,” Jun answered. “Guess where I am.”

“Ummmmm, where?” Ren asked.

“C’mon,” Jun replied. “It’s no fun if you don’t guess.”

“Ummmmm, mom’s massage parlor?” Ren guessed.

“Nope, guess again,” Jun responded.

“Daaad,” Ren said.

“Fine, fine,” Jun replied. “I’m down at Leblanc.”

“Oh!” Ren said, surprised.

“I came down to Tokyo to meet about my campaign,” Jun explained. “I’d thought I’d say hi while I was in town. Where are you?”

“Oh, uh, I’m…I can be there shortly,” Ren replied.

“Great! See you then,” Jun replied.

“Seeya,” Ren said. They hung up. Ren signed. Sumire looked at her, concerned. Ren turned to her. “Oh, uh, that was my dad.”

“Right,” Sumire said.

“He’s down at Leblanc,” Ren continued explaining. “He wants to say hi.”

“Are you nervous?” Sumire asked.

“A little,” Ren said.

“You don’t have to say anything,” Sumire assured her.

“No,” Ren said.”I mean, you almost quit The Phantom Thieves today. I have to face my fears as well.”

Sumire took Ren’s hand. “Well, just know I’ll be right there with you.”

Ren smiled and blushed. “Thanks Sumire.” They shared a kiss, and headed down to Leblanc.

Once they arrived, Jun and Sojiro looked at them. “Welcome back,” Sojiro said.

“Hey pumpkin,” Jun said, getting up. He gave Ren a hug. He looked her up and down. “You look like you just ran a marathon.” Ren chuckled. “So, how are things going?”

Ren glanced at Sumire. Sumire smiled to reassure her. She turned back to her dad. “Well…I…actually…wanted to talk to you about that…” Jun and Sojiro grew concerned. “Things are going good. Really good. Great, even.”

“...But…?” Jun wondered.

Ren sighed. “But…I don’t…I don’t want to leave…” Jun was a little surprised. “I know I’m only here until my probation is up, but…I don’t want to go back. Ever since coming here, a lot has happened. And this feels more like home than home has. That’s not to say I don’t love you, or mom, or Sasa, but…it’s just different.”

“Pardon me,” Sumire interjected, “but I have to agree with Ren. And not just because she’s my girlfriend, but because I’ve seen how she’s changed throughout all of this. She’s always been kind, considerate, and amazing, but when  first met her she felt guarded. And right now, she’s more free being herself.

Being here has freed her, which is ironic given the circumstances, but it’s true. Once she’s free from probation, she’ll be caged again at home. So please, would you allow Ren to stay?”

Jun looked at the two of them. They were both very impassioned. Jun smiled. “You wanna know something?” The girls were confused. “Your mother and I agreed I wouldn’t run for the Diet until it was just us two. And after talking with her, we both knew you weren’t coming back. I’m not about to break a promise between your mother and me.”

Ren was confused, but hopeful. “What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that I’ll allow you to stay,” Jun said. “And your mother will too.” He turned to Sojiro. “Provided it’s OK with Sojiro.”

The girls looked at Sojiro. He sighed. “How can I say ‘no’ after all of that?”

“Hm hm, thanks Sojiro,” Ren said.

“Just…be sure to help out when you can,” Sojiro said. Ren giggled again.

Jun checked the time. “As much as I’d like to continue talking, I have to go. I don’t want to be late for my meeting." He had an idea. "Say, why don’t you come with? Not to the meeting, but to where the meeting is. Dietman Matsushita wanted to meet at the Wilton Buffet. I believe you’re familiar with the place.”

Ren chuckled. “Of course.”

“You and Sumire can celebrate this momentous occasion while I’m talking with Matsushita about my campaign, how does that sound?” Jun asked.

“That sounds wonderful,” Ren said.

“Great!” Jun said. “Let’s go!”

“OK,” Ren said.

“Bye Sojiro!” Sumire called.

“Thanks again Boss,” Ren said.

Sojiro smiled. “You’re welcome.” The three of them left. “Hm. She really has changed a lot. I’m sure you’re really proud of her.”

Jun, Ren, and Sumire arrived at the Wilton. Jun broke off to meet with Matsushita, while Ren and Sumire found a table and got some food. They dug in almost immediately. “Ohhhh,” Sumire said. “I didn’t realize how hungry I was.”

“Tell me about it,” Ren responded. “Coach Hiraguchi really upped the ante today.”

Sumire glanced over to Ren. “Speaking of…thanks…for helping me out…”

Ren looked back at her. “Well…thank you as well…for helping me with my dad…”

Sumire giggled. “I don’t know what I was so worried about.”

Ren smiled. “Me either.” They looked into each other’s eyes and realized that they knew what they were worried about.

Sumire broke the tension. “So, um, listen… I feel like things are getting chaotic. Between this whole Phantom Thieves business, and my gymnastics, it’s getting hard to connect with myself, since I’m being dragged in all sorts of directions.”

“I feel the same way,” Ren said. “I don’t have gymnastics, but I do have parole to worry about. And now I need to figure out what I’m going to do afterwards. There’s a lot on my mind. But whenever you’re around, things just seem so easy.”

Sumire chuckled. “I feel the same. So…what should we do?”

They both thought. “Well…I think that we need to figure out how to spend more time with each other.”

“I like the sound of that,” Sumire said. “I know we see each other at school, or during Phantom Thief stuff, but I think we just need some time for the two of us.”

“Yeah,” Ren agreed. “It doesn't have to be long. Like a phone call before bed. Or I could stop by after practice, and we can get something to eat.”

“I’m always down to get a bite to eat,” Sumire said. “But I think this sounds like a really good plan.”

“Really?” Ren wondered.

“Of course, silly,” Sumire replied. They looked into each other’s eyes again. They then closed them and leaned in for a kiss.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 8

Once they finished kissing, they looked at each other and blushed. Sumire’s stomach growled a little bit. “Oh right! We only have so much time.”

“Well, what are we waiting for?” Ren asked. They continued eating, getting up to get more plates every so often.

“Oh!” Sumire said. “Do you think we should send a calling card to Okumura soon?”

Ren swallowed her food. “Oh yeah. With everything happening today, it almost slipped my mind.”

“Mine too,” Sumire admitted.

“Why don’t we meet tomorrow about that?” Ren asked.

“Sounds like a great idea,” Sumire said. They continued eating.

After their time was up, they met up with Jun again. He took care of their bill, which admittedly was reduced since Sumire was the chef’s daughter, but it was still nice of him. “Thanks dad.”

“Any time, kiddo,” Jun replied.

“Should I call mom and tell her about…?”

“Nah, I can tell her,” Jun answered. “It’s not like she didn’t know anyway.”

“Right…” Ren said.

Jun looked at Sumire. “You sure you don’t want us to take you home?”

“Yeah,” Sumire said. “Mom insisted she take me home.”

“I understand,” Jun said. “Let’s go Ren. Bye Sumire.”

“Bye!” Ren called out.

“Bye!” Sumire waved. Ren and Jun left.

On their way back, Ren asked “When are you going home?”

“I’m staying the night in a hotel, and leaving tomorrow morning,” Jun said.

“I see,” Ren said.

Jun looked at his daughter and smiled. “I’m gonna let you in on a little secret.” Ren looked up at her father. “The truest moments of love shine through in adversity. Of course, when things are easy it’s wonderful. But the fact that she’s with you during your hardest moments is what makes her a keeper. Don’t let her go without a fight.”

Ren smiled back. “I wasn’t planning on it.”

“That’s my girl.” Jun walked Ren back to Leblanc, and then headed to his hotel.

Notes:

This certainly was a rollercoaster. I wrote this. I knew what was going to happen, and I was still worried.

Just in case you're wondering, the date of the chapter is October 3rd, which not only is the day where they go to Maruki's Palace for the first time, but also significant to Fullmetal Alchemist and Mean Girls, hence the name.

This chapter is a lot, and I really loved making it. I love seeing Ren and Sumire's relationship getting deeper and more complex, while at the same time their love for each other only grows stronger. It's amazing.

And as stated, the next few chapters will be about stealing Okumura's treasure. I might take a little break before going through with that. I had considered taking a break and then releasing this chapter, but I'd rather leave you with this and then go hard on the theft later. I mean, for those reading it all together in the future, it'll be a tidal wave of intesity, but for now, I'll leave you with this.

Enjoy!

Chapter 162: Solidify

Chapter Text

The next day, on her way to school, Ren messaged the group.

Ren: We’re meeting today about how and when we’ll steal Okumura’s treasure.

Ren: Is that OK with everyone?

Futaba: I’m good with it.

Ryuji: Fine by me.

Haru: I think I’m OK with it as well.

Haru: Are we meeting at Leblanc?

Yusuke: I believe so.

Ann: It’s where we usually meet.

Jose: I like that Boss is helping us out like this, but I wish we didn’t have to interrupt his business.

Futaba: We’re fine.

Futaba: I’ve made a few apps that give us some extra pocket change.

Ryuji: Apps like what?

Makoto: I’m not sure if this is the time.

Lena: Maybe we can ask about it later. I am also curious.

Ren: Well, right now, Sumire has something she’d like to tell you as well.

Ren: it is a little unrelated, but it is nice to know.

Sumire: Oh, right.

Sumire: My next gymnastics meet is October 13th.

Haru: Oh my! How marvelous!

Makoto: Um, correct me if I’m wrong, but were you there at the last meet Haru?

Haru: Oh, yes.

Haru: I’ve been wanting to support our school for a while now.

Haru: However, my father kept telling me that “sports are beneath us.”

Haru: I even asked if I could try out for the cheer squad, but he was worried about that too.

Haru: But I managed to convince him to let me watch gymnastics, since he sees that as a higher art form.

Ryuji: How rude!

Ann: Ugh. I’m sure someone like you would have been a nice moral booster.

Ann: Especially during what Kamoshida was doing.

Haru: My apologies.

Haru: I didn’t mean to dredge up bad memories.

Ren: It’s not your fault.

Ryuji: Yeah! That asshole Kamoshida is to blame!

Ann: Take it from someone who’s been under his thumb: It’s not worth worrying about what you could have done.

Makoto: I’ve learned that it’s important that we look forward, and try to not make the same mistake twice.

Haru: Right. Kamoshida had a palace. My father has a palace. Right now, we have to serve justice to my father just like justice was served to Kamoshida.

Jose: That’s the spirit.

Sumire: I’m grateful for you coming out to see me perform.

Sumire: It is nice to get support.

Haru: I suppose the same is true of myself.

Haru: I was so worried about what was happening with my father.

Haru: But you guys have been with me every step of the way.

Haru: So thank you.

Lena: Aww, you’re making me blush.

Yusuke: I think she has that effect on people.

Jose: True. Her motherly affection really shines through.

Jose: And it’s amplified by her regal attitude.

Haru: Now you’re making me blush.

Ren: Well, as fun as this is, and as amazing everything has been, we can continue this after school.

Ryuji: Oh right.

Ryuji: Seeya!

Ann: Seeya!

Yusuke: Ta-ta!

Jose: See you this afternoon!

Makoto: See you all then!

Sumire: I’ll catch you all then!

Lena: See you later!

Haru: Thank you everyone.

Haru: I’ll see you all there!

Futaba: Later!

As Futaba put her phone down, there was a knock at her door. “Who is it?”

“Eh…Futaba, it’s me,” Sojiro said. “Who else would it be?”

“Why aren’t you at work?” Futaba asked.

“Well…I have a surprise,” Sojiro said.

“A surprise?” Futaba wondered.

“And I need your help,” Sojiro said.

“Oh no! You want me to apply for school again, don’t you?!” Futaba said.

“Well…yes…But that’s not what I’m talking about right now,” Sojiro said.

“Oh?” Futaba said, curiously. “Then what is it?”

“Hm,” Sojiro chuckled. “Well, you’ll see…”

During a break, Haru went to take care of some plants. “Hey there!” she heard Hiroki say.

“Gah!” Haru replied, startled. She turned to face Hiroki. “Oh. Sorry…”

Hiroki looked at her. “Listen,” he said, “I know I’ve been acting a little…unusual recently….

“‘Unusual’...right…” Haru interjected.

“...But I just want to assure you, everything will be alright,” Hiroki continued, undeterred.

“Of course…” Haru said. Both of them had different ideas on how everything will become alright, and they knew soon enough one of them would be proven right. “Say, Hiroki?”

“Hm?”

“How do you feel about The Phantom Thieves?” Haru asked.

Hiroki let out a chuckle. “Why, I admire them, of course. We’ve talked about this.”

“I-I know…” Haru said. “...I guess I just got a little worried about your disposition.”

“Hm hm hm,” Hiroki chuckled. “I get it.”

“You do?” Haru wondered.

“I may have an added sense of purpose, but it’s still me under here,” Hiroki retorted. “Why, it’s because of The Phantom Thieves that I have this new purpose.”

Haru was surprised. “Um, come again?”

“I mean, The Phantom Thieves are great!” Hiroki said. “But they can’t stop injustice everywhere. That’s why other people have to take up the mantle.”

“...I see…” Haru said, forlorn.

Hiroki picked up on this. “Is everything OK?”

“Oh, sorry,” Haru said. “With everything going on with my father, I’m just a little more stressed than usual. I hope you understand.”

Hiroki grinned. “Of course. I know it can’t be easy, but like I said, everything will be alright soon enough.”

“Of course,” Haru said. “Thank you for your reassurance.”

“Any time,” Hiroki said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some student council business I need to attend to.”

“Of course,” Haru said. “Take care.”

“You take care as well,” Hiroki said. He left.

Haru sighed. She turned back to her plants. “I hope he’s correct with everything being alright…but…” She sighed.

After lunch, the PA system came on. “Attention!” Ogata announced. “This is Vice Principal Ogata! Today after school, all students must report to the auditorium for a special announcement! Thank you!”

There was some chatter as to what this could all mean. “Alright, settle down!” Kawakami said. “I know it’s interesting, but I encourage you to be patient. Now, we should get back to class.” The class settled down, but were still curious about what was happening.

After school, the students of Shujin gathered in the auditorium. Vice Principal Ogata took to the stage. “Ahem. Students of Shujin! I have an important announcement! I have made the decision to retire from my position at this school!” There was a lot of confusion and whispers from the crowd. “Of course, I wish to help you all achieve your goals and become the best people you can be. However, after careful consideration of recent events, I feel ill equipped to do so as the Vice Principal, or even as a Principal. And so, my time at Shujin academy has come to an end. But fret not! A new principal has been chosen! Please welcome, your new principal, Mr. Arai!”

Mr. Arai walked out on stage to applause that was more obligatory than excited. “Thank you all!” Mr. Arai said. “I don’t think many of you know this, but I went to school here myself! I also used to teach here as well. But then I got offered a different job. However, it is good to be back! I hope to work with each and every one of you, student and staff alike, to help Shujin become the school that I always saw it could become! I know things have been a bit tumultuous recently, and another shake-up might be the last thing you want right now, but I will offer you this: Sometimes, change can be a good thing! And while I believe in this school, I understand that everyone at the school might not believe in me. But I promise I will work hard, and earn your trust!” There was some more applause, but this time it felt more genuine.

Mr. Arai turned to Ogata. “I would also like to take this time to thank Mr. Ogata. I’ve known him for a long time, and I know this decision cannot be easy for him. But ever since he’s informed me of his decision, he’s been nothing but helpful to me when it comes to this transition. I wish him nothing but the best in his retirement from this school!” There was more applause.

Ogata returned to the mc. “Thank you for those kind words, Mr. Arai. Now, I will stay on until the Midterms are finished to help the transition. Especially with the Culture Festival coming up. Which, due to the turbulence of these recent times, has now been scheduled for the 25th, and 26th!” There was some chatter. “But do not fret, I trust that Mr. Arai will handle this with aplomb, and I hope you will do everything in your power to assist! It has been my pleasure to be your Vice Principal! Thank you!” He bowed, and there was more applause.

After that assembly, the Shujin Thieves gathered. “That…was a little unexpected…” Makoto remarked.

“True…” Haru said. “But Mr. Arai seems nice enough.”

“Plus, we know he’s on our side,” Ann said. “At least, compared to Kobayakawa.”

“Right, but it is a little strange,” Ren pointed out. “I mean, don’t you think Vice Principal Ogata would at least know about the blackmail.”

“I’m almost certain he did,” Makoto said. “I don’t see any way he couldn’t.”

“So, what does that mean?” Ryuji wondered.

“Hold on!” Morgana said. “As much as I want to talk about this, we are meeting anyway, right?”

“Morgana’s right,” Haru said. “We shouldn't leave Futaba, Jose, and Yusuke out of the loop.”

“Good thinking Morgana,” Sumire added. “Let’s get going.” They nodded, and headed out.

Once they got to Leblnc, the three other Thieves looked at them. “Hey guys,” Jose said

“What kept you?” Yusuke asked.

Ren looked around and saw no sign of Sojiro. “Where’s Boss?”

“He’s on a secret mission,” Futaba snickered.

“OoooooooK?” Ren said.

“Don’t worry,” Futba assured them. “He’s alright.”

“She’s not telling us either,” Yusuke said.

“I mean, I like surprises,” Jose said. “I don’t mind not knowing until the time is ready.”

“Yeah, but don’t you want to know?” Ryuji asked.

“C’mon Ryuji,” Ann said. “Let him enjoy what he wants.”

“Mmm. I guess you’re right,” Ryuji said. They all sat down.

“So, what’s the deal?” Yusuke said.

“Well, I think we should take on Okumura soon,” Ren said.

“We do have about a week until the deadline,” Sumire said.

“And then two days later is your performance, right?” Jose asked.

“Right,” Sumire said.

“Well, I’m sure you’ll do great!” Haru said.

“And we’ll be there for sure!” Lena chimed in.

“Thanks guys,” Sumire replied, getting embarrassed.

There was a brief pause, before Yusuke said “So, should we get started and plan on taking the treasure tomorrow?”

“I think that’s the plan,” Ren said. “Something happened that I think accelerates our plans a little.”

“In what way?” Futaba wondered.

“Oh right,” Makoto said. “So, the reason is that we got called to an assembly where the Vice Principal retired.”

“And we got to meet our new principal,” Ann added.

“Mr. Arai,” Makto added. “The guy in the blackmail photos.”

“Oh, you talked him into it?” Yusuke said. “Well done.”

“Well, thanks…” Makoto said.

“But this Vice Principal just retiring…” Futaba wondered. “Seems a little fishy to me.”

“Us too,” Morgana said. “Which is why we should discuss it.”

“So, it seems like the Vice Principal knew about the blackmail,” Lena said. “So, why would he not try to do it again?”

“I imagine it might be more difficult,” Makoto said. “Mr. Arai has proof that he’s been blackmailed, so he could turn it on Ogata.”

“Plus, I imagine with the school being more Phantom Thief friendly, it would be hard to maintain an anti-Thief stance and still have a grip on the school,” Sumire said.

“Smart thinking,” Makoto said.

“So, he’s just giving up?” Ann wondered.

“I doubt it,” Ryuji answered. “People like that don’t give up easily.”

“So then what?” Lena wondered.

“Well, that's the thing,” Ren interjected. “Kobayakawa, and subsequently possibly Ogata, are working with the person who is masterminding these mental shutdowns. So, if we steal Okumura’s treasure…”

“Oh, I get it!” Jose said. “If we take the treasure, then the whole thing is blown wide open. Meaning that they’ll be on the back foot.”

“Precisely,” Ren said.

“Not a bad idea,” Morgana said.

“I hate to raise doubts,” Yusuke said, “but they could have a plan of their own as a back-up.”

“That is also true,” Ren said. “But so long as we can remain in the shadows, I feel like we can have an edge on them.”

“I hope you’re right,” Makoto said.

“Well, you guys have gotten this far,” Haru assured. “I’m certain we can pull it all together now.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Haru.”

“So, should we prepare the calling card then?” Lena wondered.

“Sounds like it,” Futaba said.

“Hell ya!” Ryuji said. “I’m pumped!”

“Are you going to be writing it Ryuji?” Haru said.

“Just the first draft,” Makoto explained.

“Yeah,” Morgana continued. “Ryuji writes the first draft, and then someone else looks it over and edits it.”

“Do all of you edit it?” Lena asked.

“No, just one other person,” Sumire said.

“And as much as Ryuji has his strengths, you’ll understand why…” Yusuke added.

“Besides, Ren and I got a deal going,” Ryuji said.

“About what?” Haru asked.

“Huh?!” Ryuji said, realizing what he had just unleashed. He groaned. “Me and my big mouth.”

“Well, it’s a funny story,” Ren started up.

“One you promised not to talk about,” Ryuji intercepted.

“I promised until the end of September,” Ren said. “It’s October.” Ryuji groaned. Ren chuckled. “So, we were searching for information, and as a way of avoiding detection, Ryuji had to do a photoshoot in drag.” Ren pulled out her phone and showed Haru the photos.

Haru looked at them with great interest. “Oh wow! These look absolutely stunning!” Ryuji groaned again. “But I think your normal style looks cute too.”

“Thanks?” Ryuji said.

“It’s a compliment,” Ann said. “Besides, it was very brave of you to help keep our secret.” Ryuji smiled and blushed.

“Not to mention, invaluable to me not coming down on you,” Makoto said.

“Why’s that?” Haru asked.

“There was an altercation that night, and those photos proved that they didn’t do it,” Makoto explained.

“Oh,” Haru replied.

“I didn’t hear that side of the story,” Lena said.

“Me either,” Futaba explained.

“Well, life has a funny way of working out,” Ren said.

Ryuji finished working on the calling card. “There! Haru, you wanna go at it?”

“Me?!” Haru wondered.

“It makes sense,” Yusuke said. “He’s your father.”

“I guess so,” Haru said.

“If you don’t want to, that’s OK,” Morgana assured her.

“No, it’s alright,” Haru said. “I feel like I need to. It’s the first step in my permanent division with my father.” She grabbed the draft, and looked it over. “Oh!”

“‘Oh’ what?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well…he certainly won’t know this would be from me…” Haru said.

“But is it good?” Ryuji asked.

“Ummmm, it’s not bad…” Haru said. “How shall I put this? It’s…unique. I just need to touch it up a bit.” She began working on the calling card.

“So, how do we deliver it?” Sumire wondered.

“That’s a good question,’ Jose said. “Not only does Okumura need to see it, but so does Hiroki. And that seems like it’s hard to do.”

The Thieves all began to think. “Um…” Haru interjected. “I have an idea…”

“What is it?” Ren wondered.

“You said that when someone gets a calling card, we have 24 hours to steal their treasure, right?” Haru wondered. “Well, if that’s the case, I can go home tonight, show my father, and then in the morning show Hiroki, and we can steal the treasure in the afternoon. It’s a risky plan, I know, but I think this is the only way.”

The others thought about Haru’s proposal. “Well, it’s not the riskiest thing we’ve done,” Makoto said.

“Tell me about it,” Yusuke replied.

“Plus, we’re talking a big swing here,” Morgana said. “I feel like something like this is only fitting.”

Ren nodded. “This is it. This is our best chance to get the information we need, as well as get closer to stopping Eris, and freeing Japan from the tyranny of Haru’s dad. I say we go for it.” Everyone nodded in agreement.

Haru smiled. “Thank you. It…feels nice to have my voice heard.” She finished the card. “And done!”

The others looked it over. “Wow!” Lena said.

“Very well done!” Jose said.

“As expected by someone as classy as yourself,” Yusuke noted.

“I agree,” Makoto said.

“I gotta say, this is some next level shit,” Ryuji said. “You did a good job taking what I said and raising it up.”

“All that’s left is to make the card itself, and we’re good to go,” Morgana said.

“Make two,” Haru replied. “I need one to show Hiroki in case my father confiscates his.”

“Good thinking,” Morgana said.

Yusuke made the two cards. “Alright, and done!”

Haru took the cards. “Thank you, Yusuke.”

“So, is that it then?” Ryuji asked.

“Not quite,” Futaba said.

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“What else is there?” Ann asked.

“Well, remember that secret mission I mentioned earlier?” Futaba said. “Well, it’s time to reveal! Follow me!” Futaba walked out of Leblanc. The others, confused and intrigued, followed. They arrived at Futaba’s house. Futaba opened the door. “Sojirooooooooooo!”

Sojiro came around the corner. “Hm? Oh good, you’re here!”

“Is something the matter?” Makoto asked.

“Quite the opposite, actually,” Sojiro said. “Futaba told me you were busy today, so I don’t know if Ren had a chance to tell you yet.”

“Tell us what?” Ann asked.

Sojiro looked at Ren. “...Well?”

Ren was a little confused, but then she remembered. “Oh, right! Yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that after my probation is up, I’m staying!”

“Wait, really?!” Ryuji said.

“That’s amazing!” Ann said, hugging Ren. Ren smiled and blushed as a wave of joy and excitement came over her from her friends.

Sojiro smiled. “And so, since you’re becoming a permanent citizen of Tokyo, I’ve decided to rearrange some things so you can have a room in my home.”

Ren was stunned. “For real?”

Sojiro nodded. “As neatly as you’ve taken to the attic, I figure it’d be better to have a real space of your own. Plus, it decreases the odds of Morgana being found in the restaurant.” Ren chuckled. “Anyways, I’m gonna need your guys’ help in making this a thing. I need stuff moved, stuff bought, and all that jazz.”

“So, who’s ready to help?!” Futaba asked eagerly.

“Well, as much as I’d like to lend a hand, I have a curfew to keep,” Haru said, disappointed. “But soon, that won’t be an issue.”

“That’s fine,” Sojiro said. “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”

“What do you need help with tonight?” Jose asked.

“Well, right now some things could be moved,” Sojiro said.

“I’ve got it!” Ryuji said.

“I can help too,” Makoto added.

“As can I,” Yusuke offered.

“Thanks,” Sojiro said. “I’ve told Futaba where things should go, so listen to her.”

“Heh heh heh,” Futaba cackled.

“In the meantime, I want you to come with me,” Sojiro said, pointing at Ren.

“Me?” Ren wondered.

Sojiro nodded. “I wanna pick out some things, and I need to make sure they're just right.”

“Well, OK,” Ren said.

“I can come too, right?” Sumire wondered.

“Of course, Sojiro replied.

“Thanks,” Sumire said.

Haru bowed. “I have to get going. Seeya!”

“As much as I’d like to help, I need to go too,” Ann said. “My parents and I are discussing modeling things.”

“I need to go too,” Lena said. “I promised Akechi we’d talk tonight, and I don’t want to worry him.”

Ren nodded. “Take care!” The three of them left.

“Alright, everyone staying with me, March!” Futaba demanded. Ryuji, Makoto, Yusuke, and Jose went into the house to help move things.

Sojiro looked at Ren and Sumire. “Let’s go.” The two of them followed, with Morgana in tow. They all got into Sojiro’s car and drove off.

A little while later, they arrived at a pet store. “Huh,” Ren said.

“Well. it’s gonna be Morgana’s home too, right?” Sojiro asked. “I figured he could use a few things.”

“Aww, thanks Boss!” Morgana said.

“Hm hm, I think he likes the idea,” Sumire said.

“Glad to hear that,” Sojiro said. “Let’s go!” They went into the pet store. They ventured around and asked Morgana for his preferences for things.

“Soon enough, they passed by a series of cat beds. “I was thinking about getting you one of these,” Sojiro said. “So that way you’re not just cuddling up in Ren’s bed all the time.”

Morgana was concerned. “Mmmm, I like cuddling up in Ren’s bed though…”

“I do too,” Ren said. “But there are times where I’d like to have a bit of privacy. Besides, you can still come over and snuggle up to me sometimes.”

“And also, you can do that with Sojiro and Futaba now as well,” Sumire added.

Morgana turned to Sojiro. “...I wouldn’t mind,” Sojiro admitted. “And I'm sure Futaba would like it too.”

“And also, having a space for yourself can be amazing for you too, Morgana!” Ren added.

“Well…” Morgana pondered. “Alright!” They did a mini-celebration, and got a cat bed.

Later, they came back to Sojiro’s house. Sojiro and the girls took the cat stuff in. “How’s it coming along?” Sojiro asked.

“Pretty good,” Ryuji answered.

“Futaba is a really good navigator,” Makoto said. “She knew what to do, and how to do it.”

“It didn’t take too long either,” Jose said.

“Honestly, it was a good first step,” Yusuke said.

Sojiro smiled. “Thanks guys. And I can count on your help in the future?” They all nodded. “Excellent.” He put the cat stuff down. I’ll sort this out later. And, since your room’s not ready yet...”

Ren giggled. “Say no more. Seeya Boss!”

“Later!” Ryuji called out. Ryuji, Makoto, Jose, Yusuke, Ren, and Sumire walked out.

“See you tomorrow,” Sumire said.

Ren gave Sumire a kiss. “See you tomorrow.” Sumire blushed, and left. Ren headed back to Leblanc. Once she laid down in bed, a message popped up on her phone. She checked.

Haru: He received the calling card!

Chapter 163: Beyond Burgerdome

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Haru arrived home just in time to make her curfew. She took a deep breath and prepared herself. She shuffled to the mailbox, pretended to fish around and pulled out the calling card. She entered her house.

She saw her father was in the living room. He looked incredibly stressed, but as soon as he turned to see Haru, he plastered a fake smile on his face. “Ah, Haru my dear! How was school today?”

“Um, it was fine,” Haru said. “Um, I hate to worry you, but I found this in the letterbox.” She presented the calling card.

“Hm?” Okumura said, taking an interest. “Let me see that.” Haru walked over to her father. He stood up and took the card. “‘To Kunikazu Okumura, the merciless sinner of Greed. You amass wealth and prestige to fill a void inside yourself. But all you’re really doing is creating more emptiness elsewhere, causing endless suffering for your workers and anyone else you don’t deem worthy. You have been accused of creating an apocalypse of sorts by someone claiming to be its savior. However, this savior will end up creating new emptiness if they get their way. Which means that to bring everyone out of this apocalypse, we shall steal your desires and make you confess your sins. From, The Phantom Thieves of Heart.’”

Kunikazu was an expert at putting on a face for his daughter, but this pushed him over. He was steaming, and Haru could tell. “So!” he exclaimed. “These thieves are coming after me, huh! I’ll show them! I’LL SHOW THEM ALL! KUNIKAZU OKUMURA IS NOT TO BE MESSED WITH!”

It flashed to see shadow Okumura. “So, these thieves think they can prevent my utopia from coming to fruition? BAH! I will obliterate them and keep their heads as trophies! No one tells me what to do!”

It flashed back. Okumura got out his phone. “Hello, security?” he said “Prepare yourselves. We just got a major threat from The Phantom Thieves. Be on high alert! Good!” He hung up. He looked back at Haru. “I’m sorry sweetie, but…well…I need to deal with this.”

“It’s…alright father…” Haru replied.

“I know we only have so much time left, but…” Okumura sighed. “I’ll make it up to you once this is settled. For now, just…have some dinner and then go to your room. I’m going to be in a mood for the remainder of the night.”

“Yes father,” Haru said. She went to go eat dinner by herself. As she was eating, she took out her phone and sent a message to the group chat.

Haru: He received the calling card!

Futaba: Alright! One down!

Makoto: One to go.

Haru: I’ll be sure to show Hiroki at the first opportunity.

Ren: Good going Haru.

Sumire: We believe in you.

Haru: Thanks.

Yusuke: How did your father take it?

Haru: He was not happy to say the least.

Jose: I mean, I guess that makes sense.

Lena: But he didn’t do anything to you, right?

Haru: He just told me to have dinner by myself and head to my room.

Ryuji: Well, I guess that's the best we could have hoped for.

Haru: He did alert the security team, so I feel like we should be extra cautious.

Ann: Would the strike still cover our tracks?

Makoto: Perhaps, but we should be even more safe, just in case.

Ryuji: Yeah, since this is the big move.

Ryuji: We don’t want to mess this up!

Futaba: Smart thinking, Ryuji!

Ryuji: Thanks.

Ren: So, the plan is to meet up tomorrow after school and storm the palace.

Ren: Everyone got it?

Sumire: Yeah!

Ryuji: Hell yeah!

Ann: Totally!

Lena: You got it!

Yusuke: Of course!

Jose: You betcha!

Makoto: Ready as I’ll ever be.

Futaba: You got it!

Haru: I’m ready!

Ren: Great!

Ren: See you then.

Ren put her phone down. She looked at Morgana. “I don’t think I need to ask if you’re ready.”

Morgana chuckled. “I was born ready!”

Ren chuckled back. “Goodnight Morgana.” They both went to sleep.

The next day, Haru was walking through school, looking a little distressed. “Haru?” Hiroki said, noticing this and taking the bait. “Is everything alright?”

“Oh, uh, hello Hiroki…” she replied. “Um, well, the truth is, father went off the handle last night. He’s been in a fuss since he got this.” She showed him the calling card.

Hiroki read it carefully. His eyes widened with each passing word. Still, Hiroki was better at keeping his wits about him than Kunikazu. “I see. Well, this is good, right? The Phantom Thieves are finally dealing with him, right?”

“Right,” Haru said, nervously smiling.

It flashed to the other Hiroki. “So, the Phantom Thieves are coming after MY prey?! There’s SO much more they can be doing! No matter, I will save the world, even if it’s from them.”

It flashed back to reality. “Well, see you around, I guess,” Hiroki replied.

“Right…” Haru said. Hiroki walked off. Once Haru could no longer see his face, he began scowling. Haru pulled out her phone.

Haru: And now Hiroki’s seen it.

Futaba: Alright, two for two!

Ryuji: All that’s left is to do it.

Lena: But we still have to wait for school to be over.

Lena: Not to mention, Hiroki’s in our class, so things might be tense.

Ryuji: Right…

Makoto: I have to deal with him too.

Sumire: Should I check on Kisa as well?

Makoto: She’ll be fine.

Makoto: Everyone in the student council is there for each other.

Sumire: Well, I just hope for the best.

Ren: I think we all do.

Ren: But right now, we need to make sure that we change Okumura’s heart.

Haru: Of course.

Haru: I know we can do it!

Haru put her phone away and headed to class.

Meanwhile, at Okumura Foods HQ, Okumura was on the phone. “What is the meaning of this?!” Okumura barked. “We had a deal!”

“You flew too close to the sun, Icarus,” the SIU director said on the other line. “You’re more of a liability than an asset now. But don’t worry. You’ll lose this battle, but we’ll win the war.”

“So, you’re betraying me?!” Okumura asked.

“‘Betrayal’ is such a pedestrian way of describing it,” the director said. “We’re using you as bait to flush out those horrid thieves. Of course, if you manage to deal with them, then maybe you’ll prove useful once again!”

“Listen here!” Okumura said. “I’m NOBODY’S PAWN! If I beat them, I’m turning this all on YOU!”

“That’s a tall order,” the director said. “Your approval ratings are in the dumps.”

“They’ll SOAR once I reveal the truth!” Okumura said. “And you’ll RUE the day you crossed me!” He hung up.

The director hung up his phone as well, and sighed. “Well, I suppose this was the best possible way this could have happened.” He pressed a button. “Call Miss Niijima to my office.”

“Yes sir!” his secretary said.

A few minutes later, Sae walked in. “You wanted to see me?”

“Yes,” the director said. “I’ve just been informed that The Phantom Thieves sent a calling card to Okumura. I thought you'd like to know.”

“Yes sir!” Sae said. “I’ll head out immediately,” Sae said.

“As much as that would be appreciated,” the director said, “are you caught up on all your other cases?”

“Yes sir!” Sae replied.

“Good,” the director said. “I just want to be thorough.”

“Of course sir,” Sae said. She bowed, and then left in a hurry.

The director picked up his phone. “Hello?...I got a call from Okumura…He’s threatening this whole operation…Don’t worry, it won’t get back to you…But just in case, keep him on standby…We might need a more traditional service this time around…Of course…Thank you.” He hung up. “Truly, our genius is misunderstood.”

During school, Ryuji and Lena noticed that Hiroki was keeping his cool. Same with Makoto and the rest of the student council. However, when the bell rang, without hesitation, Hiroki got up, and rapidly rushed out the door. Ryuji and Lena took note of this. They nodded, and headed out as well.

Ryuji: We’re on our way, but Hiroki practically flew through the door.

Ryuji: Should we check on him?

Makoto: No.

Makoto: We’re already pushing it as is.

Ren: Our main concern right now is stealing Okumura’s treasure.

Ryuji: Got it!

Ryuji put his phone away, and he and Lena met up with the Shujin Thieves. They then headed out.

Once at Okumura Foods HQ, Yusuke, Jose, and Futaba met up with them. They looked over and saw the striking crowd in a frenzy. “You think Hiroki did that?” Lena asked.

“Almost certainly,” Makoto remarked.

“Well, like you said, right now, we just gotta grab the treasure,” Ryuji said. “Hopefully it goes smoother than before.”

“Why’d you have to say that?” Morgana bemoaned.

Makoto looked out and noticed Sae pushing her way through the crowd. “...Sis?”

“Your sister is here?” Haru wondered.

Makoto nodded. “Which means we gotta be extra careful when we leave.”

“Let’s slip in now, just to be safe on that front,” Ren said. The others nodded.

They soon found themselves in the familiar desert. “Alright! We’re in!” Jose called out.

Something caught Yusuke’s attention. “Look over there!” Everyone looked.

Hiroki was standing in front of an army of robotic workers who look like they’ve been put back together. “Greetings!” Hiroki shouted. “I know I told you all the 11th is when we storm the ship, but our plans have changed! Someone is trying to take our glory! Our retribution! So we have to take it first! Are you with me?!” The robots cheered.

“That’s ominous…” Futaba said.

“We still have that tube Eris made for us, right?” Haru asked.

“Let’s hope so,” Ren said. They quickly circled around to find that the tube was still there. One by one, they shot up the tube and into the weapon production room. “So, we have a head start,” Sumire said.

“Yeah, but don’t let your guard down,” Ann said. “These crusaders are crafty.”

“And Hiroki is really smart,” Makoto said. “I’m sure he’ll figure something out.”

“Which means we should utilize our head start,” Ren instructed. “Let’s roll!” The thieves nodded, and rushed over to where they found the treasure.

They soon spotted a golden orb. “Booyah! Treasure spotted!” Futaba exclaimed.

There was some feedback, and the speaker system kicked in. “ATTENTION! PROJECT ESCAPE TO UTOPIA IS IN FULL EFFECT! EVERYONE PREPARE YOURSELVES! LAUNCHING IN 10 MINUTES!”

“What the?” Lena said.

A tiny burger-shaped drone came over, extended a claw, and then grabbed the orb. “Huh?!” The ship then darted off. “Follow that burger!” Haru screamed.

The thieves rushed to try and retrieve the treasure. “Gah! This bastard really doesn’t want to give up!” Ryuji said.

“Does that come as a surprise?” Yusuke asked.

“No, but that doesn’t make him any less of a bastard!” Ryuji answered.

They continued on, eventually reaching a boarding dock. The drone carried the orb onto it, and the Thieves followed. “Are you sure this is a good idea?” Jose asked.

“Probably not, but we don’t have much of a choice,” Lena answered.

The thieves continued onto the ship. Once on the ship, they saw the drone hand the treasure to Okumura, who pocketed it. “Well well well, if it isn’t The Phantom Thieves.”

“Hand over the treasure!” Ryuji demanded.

“Why would I?” Okumura taunted.

“We aren’t asking!” Ann said.

“Do you cretins really think you can stop me?” Okumura said. “Once I deal with you and those fools that backstabbed me, I will be rocketing towards certain political victory!”

“Hold on, ‘backstabbed’?” Sumire wondered.

“You’re the emperor of a food empire!” Jose said. “Is that not enough?”

“Of course you’d be so small-minded,” Okumura said. “Why just follow the rules, when you can MAKE the rules! When you’re at the top, then NOTHING can stop you! I won’t have to give up ANYTHING again that I don’t want to.”

Haru stepped forward. “So, you want to give up your reputation? You want to give up your only child? You want to give up everything that makes you a respectable person just to gain power?!”

Okumura stared at Haru. “Hm hm hm. When you have enough power, you command respect! When you have enough power, people will say nice things regardless.”

“You just don’t want to get hurt!” Haru countered. “And yet you’re hurting everyone around you! This has to stop!”

“That's just how the world is,” Okumura said. “You’re either hurting, or getting hurt. And I for one would rather hurt others than get hurt again!” Haru grew a little pale. “Oh, and as for your comments on my daughter, she’s willing to serve her father. Isn’t that right dear?”

A Haru-looking person dressed in a pink space suit walked out, stunning the thieves. “That’s right father! I will do anything you ask me to! For that is my purpose as a daughter!”

Everyone was shocked, but most of all, Haru. “So…this is how you really see me?”

“This is who you really are,” Okumura countered. “Who you’re meant to be. As much as I admire you, you’re only a girl. If you were a boy, I could trust my company to you.”

“It is true,” cognitive Haru said. “My father says so.”

Haru started tearing up, but then unleashed her anger. “You really don’t care about anyone but yourself, do you?!” she screamed. “You think that just because mom died, you can act however you want! She had feelings! I have feelings! Everyone has feelings! You need to stop before I force you to stop!”

“Big words for a pretender!” Okumura said. “Let’s see if you can put your money where your mouth is!” He pulled up a remote and pressed a button. A glass cylinder started to enclose the rest of the Phantom Thieves. “Let’s see how you do without your corruptive friends!”

“Oh no you don’t!” Morgan said. As the cylinder was just about to close, he hopped out just in time to avoid capture. Okumura was stunned. “You just don’t get it.” He readied his slingshot. “You reduce people to basic components.” He fired at Okumura’s hand, causing him to drop the remote. Cognitive Haru reached for it but Morgana used his grappling hook to grab it and pressed the button, freeing the others. “But people are much more than that. I recently learned that in full. And now we’re here to teach you!”

The Phantom Thieves readied themselves for combat. “Hm. So, you ruffians think you can teach me a lesson? Very well, HAVE AT YOU!” He pressed a different button.  “ALL STAFF REPORT TO THE DIRECTOR’S OFFICE!” Some tubes showed up. The Thieves were preparing for an army of robo-workers, but what came out of the tubes was scrap metal. “What the?” Okumura said. He pressed the button again, but more scrap metal showed up again. He kept pressing it, but only scrap metal would show up.

Until some large scrap metal showed up with Hiroki in tow. He turned around to face Okumura. “Well well well,” Hiroki said. “Looks like your workers are occupied!” Okumura was pale. He aimed his shotgun.

“NO!” Cognitive Haru said. She jumped in front of Okumura. Hiroki fired, turning cognitive Haru into dust.

“Now nothing stands in my way!” Hiroki said. Haru then jumped in between them once more. “Haru. Don’t make me do this.”

“I don’t need anyone telling me what to do!” Haru protested. “I will make you do this if this is what you want to do!”

Okumura was still trying to process what was happening. Sumire took note of this, and then looked at Morgana. She got an idea. “Skull! Queen!” She grappled Okumura. “Some assistance!” Without thinking, the two of them followed through, and grappled Okumura. “PULL!” Sumire shouted. Okumura pulled over to the circle where they were standing moments ago. “Mona now!”

“Ah! Clever!” Morgana said. He pressed the button, encasing Okumura in the cylinder.

Hiroki turned back and fired. However, the bullet bounced off the glass. “I see…”

“Hiroki!” Haru demanded. She reunited with the thieves. “Stand down! We’ve got it from here!”

“Why aren’t you going after someone else?!” Hiroki shouted.

“Well…” Haru said.

“Why can’t you let me have this?! Why are you the only ones who get to be heroes?!”

“We aren’t heroes,” Ren said. “We’re thieves. We do as we please. And we don’t answer to tyrants, whether they be space-faring moguls, or apocalyptic saviors.”

Hiroi sighed deeply. “I guess it’s true what they say. ‘Never meet your heroes.’” He aimed his gun. “Very well. We’re doing this. HAVE AT YOU!”

They began fighting with Hiroki. Despite being outnumbered, Hiroki was holding his own. After a little bit, the ship’s structure started to break, letting in some of the winding sand. “What’s going on?!” Haru wondered.

“That just means Hiroki is taking over more,” Morgana said.

“Should we be worried,” Lena asked.

“No,” Ren replied. “So long as Okumura is alive, he can’t take over fully.”

Soon, some voices started kicking in. “I’m just looking at pictures of my future wife.”

“Is that your fiance?” Futaba asked.

“Sounds like it,” Haru answered

This confused Hiroki. “Future wife?”

“Hm hm hm hm,” his brother cackled. “The head of Okumura foods promised me his daughter’s hand in marriage in exchange for us helping out his upcoming political run. She’s coming to live with us soon.”

“How come this is the first time I’m hearing about this?” Hiroki asked.

“Well, you know,” his brother said. “Moving parts and all that.”

“Right…”

“Besides, you’re so busy with school work.”

“Well, dad’s a politician,” Hiroki countered. “He’s busy too.”

“Well, he’s busy with stuff that matters,” his brother responded. “Like helping me get a wife.”

Probably because you couldn't get one on your own merits.

“Say, you wanna see a photo?” his brother asked. “I think she’s around your age. You might get along. But don’t try to steal her away.”

Hiroki sighed. Maybe I can help her once she gets here. “Fine.” …Haru?

“Isn’t she just lovely?” his brother asked.

“Um…yeah…”

His brother noticed that Hiroki was looking pale. “Are you alright?”

“Huh? Oh,” Hiroki said. “I’m just a little tired. I mean, our principal was just murdered.”

“So, he only learned about this after your principal was murdered?” Yusuke said.

“Well, Hiroki is efficient…” Makoto admitted

“Right,” his brother said. “Well, if you’re feeling down, maybe just go to bed and let me have my fun.”

“Yeah…” Hiroki said. He started heading to his room. He started slowly, but then rushed up the stairs to close his door. He was breathing heavily. “Haru?...With that JERK?!...I can’t believe it!”

The voices stopped there. “Haru. I know I’ve told you about my brother. But you don’t know the worst of it.”

“I can take a guess,” Haru said. “You think you’re the only one who’s seen the worst in him? In anyone?!”

“Hm. You think you’re the only people who can stop villains?!” Hiroki countered. They continued fighting.

More voices showed up. “So, I’ll make this quick. I wish to talk about your daughter.”

“What about her?” Okumura said.

“Father?” Haru wondered.

“Well, I understand you’ve promised her hand in marriage,” Hiroki said.

“Are you planning to ask me if you could have her hand instead?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have said it so bluntly, but yes,” Hiroki said, slightly blushing.

“HUH?!” Haru shrieked.

“That’s…awkward…” Jose said.

“You said it,” Ann replied.

“Hm,” Okumura scoffed. “You have guts kid. I like that. But I have to pass.”

“How come?” Hiroki said.

“Because,” Okumura answered firmly, “no matter how much money you’d offer, you can’t promise me an endorsement. I am planning on running in the upcoming election, and the person who is marrying my daughter is the son of an influential politician who will give me their endorsement.”

“Well, what if I could promise you the same?”

“Oh?” Okumura said. “Aren’t you just full of surprises?”

“See, the person you’re engaging your daughter to is actually my older brother. So the deal doesn’t have to change much.”

Okumura laughed maniacally. “Wow. You are very bold. But I’m still going to have to pass.”

“What?!”

“You’re not their first born son, so you don’t matter,” Okumura explained.

Hiroki was confused. “What? So that’s it? Just because I’m my family’s second child, I don’t matter as much?”

“Yes,” Okumura answered.

“But that makes no sense,” Hiroki protested.

“You don’t get it,” Okumura said. “In this world, people are determined by how useful they are. That’s just how it is. And a first born son is more useful than a second born son.”

“What about Haru?” Hiroki asked in desperation. “How does she feel about all of this?”

Okumura smirked. “Why, she’s grateful. She’s serving her father, as all good girls should. Really, it’s an honor for her.” Hiroki’s heart sank. “If you don’t have anything else to say, I suggest you leave before I have you escorted.”

Hiroki sighed. “Very well.” 

“...Father…” Haru said.

“It doesn’t have to be like this,” Hiroki said. “We can be free from their grasp. We can be who we always wanted to be.”

“I could say the same to you, Hiroki!” Haru countered. “I know what they’re like! I always have! I’m just doing something about it now! Meanwhile, you’re becoming like them! And I can’t stand that!”

“Hm,” Hiroki said. “It seems we’re still at an impasse."

“We just gotta finish you off!” Ryuji said.

“Yeah!” Ann shouted. “So be prepared!”

“Prepared, you say?” Hiroki said. He looked at the accumulated scrap metal. He used some kind of mental power to magically move the metal to surround himself. He was now wearing a full-body metal suit made out of Okumura company employee metal. “How’s THIS for prepared?!”

“Welp. You did it again,” Morgana said.

“It’s not Skull’s fault,” Ann said.

“I am talking to both of you,” Morgana said.

“Oh,” Ann replied.

“No matter,” Ren assured them. “We’ve fought these robots before. We can defeat them again!”

“YEAH!” Everyone cheered.

They faced down Hiroki in his new metal suit. He was tougher, and had some more attacks at his disposal, but eventually, the thieves powered through the armor, causing it to explode.

Hiroki flew up, and then flew back down, face planting onto the ground. “Hiroki!” Haru exclaimed. She rushed over to him and helped him up. “Are you alright?”

Hiroki was breathing heavily. “I…think I’m fine…Haru…Phantom Thieves…I’m sorry…” The thieves were shocked. “...I thought I could do this…I thought I could be the hero…but Haru regarding me as a villain…I couldn’t stand it. And until I fell face first, I thought I could force her to believe. But that’s what her father was doing. And for that, I apologize.”

Haru grew determined. “It’s not your fault Eris did this to you.”

“Well, whatever the case, I just need you to finish this,” Hiroki said. “Expose Okumura for who he is!”

“We will,” Ren said.

“Good,” Hiroki said. “And Haru…” Haru looked at him. “I’ll talk to you later. A real talk. Like we used to have.”

Haru smiled. “I’d like that.” Hiroki faded from her arms.

“Alright, now that that’s out of the way,” Morgana said, “let’s grab the treasure.” He pressed the button, freeing Okumura.

They encircled him. “Hand it over!” Ann said.

“We won’t say it again,” Ryuji added.

“Here!” Okumura said, giving them the orb. “Take it! I can’t stand the darkness!”

“Again with the darkness,” Ren said.

“Pardon me,” Sumre said. “You mentioned something about being backstabbed? What was that about?”

“Furthermore, what do you know about the mental shutdowns?” Yusuke asked.

“I…I may have ordered…some…” Okumura admitted.

“So he’s not the mastermind,” Futaba said.

“So who is?” Jose asked.

The palace started to crumble. “We don’t have time,” Morgana said. “We have to go!"

“Wait!” Haru said. “Just tell me this. Are you going to repent?”

“Of course!” Okumura said. “I’ll tell you everything. About my company, about the shutdowns, I’ll even break off the engagement. I just want to embrace the light.”

Haru nodded. “Very well.” She turned to her team. “I believe him.”

Ren nodded. “Then let’s go!” They all nodded, and then rushed out of the palace.

Once outside, they saw the crowd still worked up. They rushed around the corner, away from prying eyes. “Location: Deleted!” their phones said.

“Well, we’re one step closer to figuring things out,” Yusuke said.

“You said it,” Ryuji said. “But boy, I don’t want to do something like that again for a bit.”

“I know what you mean,” Haru said. “I’m exhausted.”

“In more ways than one, I can imagine,” Makoto said.

Lena looked at Ren. “Is that the treasure?”

Ren looked down, with everyone else looking as well. It was the toy spaceship Okumura saw in the window. “Seems like it.”

Ryuji looked it up on his phone. “WOAH! You won’t BELIEVE how much this costs!”

“It is fairly expensive,” Haru said.

“I’ll say!” Futaba said. “Collectors go NUTS for that kind of stuff.”

“So, what now?” Jose said.

“I think now’s the time to regroup,” Ren said. “Once Okumura spills the beans, we’ll have an idea on what to do next.”

“I sure hope you’re right,” Makoto said.

“In the meantime, we need to get ready,” Sumire said. “We’re brushing up against possibly the most dangerous person we’ll ever face yet. We should take some time to improve ourselves too.”

“Good thinking Sumi-chan!” Haru said.

Sumire got a little embarrassed. “Thanks…”

“I’ll keep an eye on my father,” Haru said. “And I’ll check in with Hiroki when I can.”

“I’ll check in on him too,” Makoto said. “After the crusaders reject Eris’ influence, they usually become sick.”

“Oh my!” Haru said.

“Don’t worry,” Ann said. “They always rebound.”

“Well, that’s good,” Haru said.

Ren gave the spaceship to Futaba. “You seem to know these circles the best. Take this and sell it.”

“Heh heh heh,” Futaba cackled. “You got it!”

“In the meantime, let’s get out of here,” Ren instructed. “We’re already kind of pushing it.” The thieves nodded, and then headed back home for the evening.

Notes:

And with that, the spaceship of greed has had a failure to launch. I could not pass up that title once I thought of it. It's too fun.

Anyway, things are going to get spicy, in ways you'd both expect and not expect. I cannot wait! But I must. But I'm ready to be as surprised as you. I know I have the details of what's going to happen, but the magic is always in the how for me, and sometimes I surprise even myself with what I do. But I won't tell any of you the surprises just yet. But you might get some sooner than you think.

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 164: Pain, Change, and Love

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Haru came home after stealing her father’s treasure. She was nervous about what would happen, but the other Thieves assured her it would be alright. She walked in, and one of her servant’s approached her. Pardon me, madame Haru,” she said, “but your father came home about half an hour ago, and he was feeling unwell. He’s in his room as we speak.”

“Oh…” Haru said. “Do you think The Phantom Thieves got to him?”

“Perhaps,” the maid said.

“May I see him?” Haru asked.

“Ummmm, I guess so?” the maid replied.

Haru nodded. “Thank you.” She walked over to her father’s room.

There was a knock on Kunikazu’s door. “Who’s there?” he barked.

“...It’s me, father,” Haru answered.

“Oh…” Kunikazu responded. “Come in.”

Haru walked in. She hadn’t been in her father’s room all that much, so she was a little taken in by the mystery. However, the thing that shocked her the most was that despite having a huge bed, her father stayed to one side of it. She approached her father. “I was told you weren’t feeling well. I just wanted to make sure you were alright.”

“Oh…” Kunikazu replied. “Haru…” He sighed. “You’re too good for me…Everyone’s too good for me…”

Haru was stunned. “What do you mean?”

“Your grandparents are the nicest people I know…” Kunikazu said. “Your mother was an angel sent from Heaven above. And you are the spitting image of her. Meanwhile, I’m a petulant child, too afraid of the dark to not notice it surrounding me…”

Haru grew a little determined. “You can still make things right.”

Kunikazu was surprised. “I…guess I could…” He sighed. “I wish I had realized this sooner.”

Haru frowned. “I do too. To be honest, I feel like I’m partly to blame. I noticed you spiraling, but I didn’t do anything for a long time. I should have stopped this when I could.”

Kunikazu noticed his daughter’s pained expression through his own pain. “Haru…” he said. She looked up. “Don’t blame yourself. I wouldn’t have listened. You were in a no-win situation. I was a monster, and I wouldn’t listen to reason.”

Haru looked at her father. He was pale, shaking, apologetic, looking like a mess. The last time she’d seen him like this was when her mother died. Despite the somber tone of the conversation, Haru couldn't help but smile a little. “I’m sorry. It’s just… When you started to shift to that darker side of you, I was worried that I’d lose you too. You were so distraught after mother died, and then you went on as if nothing happened. At first, I thought you were trying to put on a brave face for me, especially since you still treated me like a person. But as time passed by, you seemed more and more distant…from me…from your dream…from mother…”

Kunikazu was a little shook. “Haru…” He coughed. Haru rushed to his aid, but he held his hand up. “I…haven’t really gotten over your mother’s death. I just kept pretending I did. It hurts, especially since it was no one’s fault. I had no one to blame, so I blamed everyone and tried to punish them for a crime no one committed. …I…need a bit to get my strength back, but I’ll be sure to tell everyone what I’ve done.”

Haru smiled again. “Thank you, father.” She started to leave, but she stopped. “By the way… I don’t think you’re a petulant child. I just think you feel things strongly, and you were dealt a bad hand.”

Kunikazu smiled back. “I can tell you feel things strongly too. And as much as I wanted to avoid my old bad hand, it seems like I’ve dealt you a new one.”

Haru teared up a little. “I’ve…made some new friends. So I feel like I’ve drawn a new hand.”

“Atta girl,” Kunikazu said.

“Do you need anything, father?” Haru asked. He heard her father start snoring. “I guess not…” She went to leave. “Goodnight, father.” She closed the door.

Makoto arrived home. As usual, she was there by her lonesome. She sighed. “Well, I can at least verbalize my thoughts. But how should I check on Hiroki without tipping our hand?” Suddenly, she got a call. She checked, and it was from Hiroki. “Hello?”

“Hey,” Hiroki said in a raspy voice.

“Are…Are you alright?!” Makoto asked.

“No,” Hiroki answered. “That’s why I’m calling. I’m letting you know that I probably won’t be at school for a few days.”

“Oh…” Makoto said. Well that’s convenient. “Do you need us to bring you anything?”

“Just my school work,” Hiroki said.

“I’ll be sure to bring it to you,” Makoto said.

“Thanks,” Hiroki said.

“Get some rest,” Makoto instructed.

“Of course,” Hiroki said. “Bye.”

“Bye,” Makoto hung up. She sighed, relieved. She then decided to message someone.

Ren and Morgana arrived in their room at Leblanc. “Another successful mission,” Ren said.

“Now all we have to do is wait,” Morgana said.

Ren looked around the room. “Hm. It’s hard to think that soon this won’t be my room anymore.”

“Well, a lot’s changed since we first met,” Morgana said.

“You’re telling me,” Ren said. “Although, I think one of the most remarkable changes has been within you.”

Morgana was embarrassed. “You’re…You’re just saying that…”

Ren shook her head. “I mean it. I think you’ve adjusted to your circumstances really well, all things considered.”

“Well…” Morgana said. “It’s because I had you and everyone else guiding me.”

“Well, that’s what friends do,” Ren said.

Morgana smirked. “You know, I was expecting to just assist you. I never expected to care too much. I thought if I cared too much, I’d get too sloppy and we’d lose. But over time you and everyone else made yourselves a permanent fixture in my heart. And I think that makes me better too.”

“Hm hm,” Ren chuckled. “Well, it shows just how good of Phantom Thieves we are.” Morgana chuckled back. “You know, I had a similar idea. I was expecting to take this whole ordeal on my own. I was so scared when Ann came in with me the first time we went to Kamoshida’s Palace. I didn’t want her to get involved in my crap. But like you said, over time I appreciated the assistance. And the friendship. I don’t know why I thought I could do this alone, but ‘alone’ was all I knew for a long time. But it’s better this way. I don’t think I’d make it this far without everyone.”

“Hm hm,” Morgana chuckled. “Well, we’re not out of the woods yet. We still need to take on whoever is masterminding these mental shutdowns. Not to mention Eris.”

Ren chuckled again. “Of course. And come what may, I’m sure we’ll be ready for it!”

“You said it!” Morgana agreed.

Magician-Morgana: Rank 9

Ren yawned. “Well, I’m beat. I’ve gotta get ready for bed, so if you don’t mind…”

“Of course,” Morgana said. He took his position looking out the window while Ren changed into her pajamas. Once she finished, she laid down in her bed, and fell asleep. Morgana hopped down and fell asleep as well.

Meanwhile, at the prosecutor’s office, Riko was doing some work, when Sae came by in a huff. “Is…everything alright?” Riko asked.

Sae paused. “NO!” she blurted. “Everything is NOT alright!”

Riko was stunned. “Uhhhhhh… Sorry…”

Sae sighed. “No. I’m sorry. It’s not your fault. I shouldn’t be yelling at you.” She sighed once again. “The Phantom Thieves sent a calling card to Okumura. I rushed over to see if I could catch them in the act. Even just a glimpse would be more than enough. I was with Okumura all day. And yet nothing.”

“So, did they fail?” Riko asked.

“NO!” Sae said, furiously. “After a while, Oumura started feeling unwell. He was…repenting. He fell over, and his security team took him home. The Phantom Thieves must have gotten to him somehow, but even after searching the perimeter, I found no indication of anyone entering the building that couldn’t be accounted for!”

“So, what does that mean?” Riko asked.

Sae sighed again. “I don’t know. They have to be able to do it without them being there. But how?” She huffed. “It frustrates me to no end!”

Riko stood up. “If you want, I know a good place to get some late night food if you just want to simmer down for a bit. Plus I know I think better on a full stomach.”

Sae calmed down slightly. “Very well. I’m always up for whatever food spots you know.” The two of them headed out.

Once they got to the restaurant and placed their orders. Riko said “This place is great!”

“I don’t doubt it,” Sae said. “...Listen…I’m sorry.”

Riko was a little surprised. “It’s alright. I get that this can’t be easy.” “Right, but…” Sae continued. “I feel like I’m starting to lose myself a little. And that every anchor I have to my sanity is slipping. It’s just…I want to show you who I am, but I feel like all I’m doing is showing you who I’m not.”

Riko reached out to Sae’s hand and grasped it. “Listen. I know things have been challenging. But that’s why I was hired, right? To help you lighten the load a little. Always remember that I’m here for you.”

Sae was taken aback by this gesture. She smiled. “Of course. Thank you. You’ve been nothing but kind to me, and I one day hope to repay that kindness.”

Riko giggled. “Can’t wait.” They sat there still holding hands, until they realized they were doing this. They got embarrassed, let go, and just sat awkwardly until their food arrived.“

You know, I always trust that you know the best restaurants,” Sae said, “but it always amazes me how good it is every time.”

“Hm hm, well, what can I say?” Riko replied. They continued eating, before going home for the night for whatever little night was left.

Notes:

A bit of a short chapter, but honestly I think this is amazing still. It's so simple, yet so effective. I don't think it's my favorite chapter I've written, but something about it captivates me. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 165: Mistakes, Not Malice

Chapter Text

Late into the night, the SIU director was on the phone. “Well, it looks like The Phantom Thieves got to Okumura…I was worried for a second, but it seems like the plan should progress as normal…Yeah, call him off. I’ll handle things on this front…The last thing we want is suspicion, especially when we’re this close to everything…Of course sir…Goodbye.” He hung up.

The director smirked. “I don’t get to do this often. I’m going to relish this. Now, what kind of darkness should I send Okumura?”

The next day after school, Ren got a message from Jose.

Jose: Hey. Can we meet somewhere?

Jose: I need help processing something.

Jose: Also, you’re gonna wanna hear this.

Ren: Um, sure.

Ren: Anywhere in particular?

Jose: Let’s go to leblanc.

Jose: I have a lot on my mind, and I need to process things.

Ren: Is everything OK?

Jose: Everything’s fine.

Jose: I’m just stunned.

Ren: Well, alright then.

Ren: See you at Leblanc?

Jose: Of course!

Jose: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away and headed to Leblanc.

Once she and Jose were settled in, Jose seemed listless. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“Oh, um, well…” Jose said. “Something happened, and it’s…complicated.”

“Go on…” Ren instructed.

Jose nodded. “Well…you know how Cho and Tama’s families have been fighting for 100 years?”

“Yeah.”

“And that they started getting along and dating after being forced into detention by a teacher?”

“Uh-huh…”

“Well…” Jose continued. “It turns out that teacher, Mr. Takahashi, is a lot more involved than at first glance.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

“That’s a long story,” Jose said. “So here goes.” He took a deep breath. “So when the school was first founded, it held a contest to see who’s painting would get put on display for a party The Emperor was hosting. Naturally, this was a coveted position since it gave artists a chance to be judged by The Emperor himself, and maybe even make a whole thing out of that connection.

It turns out that the two most likely candidates were Cho and Tama’s great-grandparents. It created an intense rivalry between the two of them. However, when it came time to present their pieces for the contest, both the Hirai and Inoue submissions were sabotaged. Naturally, they two blamed each other, and both of them lost not only their chance to meet The Emperor, but also their prestige.

However, it turns out that Mr. Takahashi’s grandfather was the one who sabotaged both paintings, knowing that Hirai and Inoue would fight. He also won the contest, and eventually got a position as a painter within The Emperor’s Household. He let the Hirai and Inoue families delve into a bitter rivalry over who sabotaged who, while reaping the benefits.

Mr. Takahashi’s grandfather confessed this to his family on his deathbed, and Mr. Takahashi felt guilty about this. So he did what he could to try and make up for it by getting Cho and Tama to become friendly.

However, after Cho’s father threatened to pull Cho out of school, he decided he needed to come clean about the situation to the whole school. This is a big deal, since it ties into the school’s founding and prestige. Everyone was shocked. And right now, the school is running an investigation into the situation and Mr. Takahashi."

Ren was stunned. “Wow… That is a lot.”

“You’re telling me… Jose said.

“So…how do you feel about this?” Ren asked.

“...Well,” Jose said, “it’s complicated. A part of me feels like there should have been Phantom Thieves 100 years ago to stop Mr. Takahashi’s grandfather.”

Ren giggled. “Well, I wouldn’t say you’re wrong.”

“But mostly, I’m thinking about why. I know they had a lot riding on this contest, and I know it was a blow to their esteem, but that kind of hatred, living for 100 years, I don’t…I don’t understand it.

Mr. Takahashi’s grandfather was willing to destroy two families to get what he wanted, but those two families were willing to destroy each other at all costs even after everything was said and done. How can humans live like that?”

Ren looked at him. She sighed. “I don’t have an answer for that.” Jose looked up. “But I’m not someone with the ability to hate that much. Like, there are people that make me angry or resentful, but I just don’t have it in me.”

“Hmmm,” Jose said. “Honestly, I think that’s more helpful than giving an answer.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Jose said. “It shows people are different. Like, us versus the palace rulers. Or Cho and Tama and their families. Or Mr. Takahashi and his grandfather. His grandfather didn’t care what happened to anyone else, so long as he got what he wanted. But Mr. Takahashi wanted to help people, even though it blemished his family’s reputation.”

Ren chuckled again. “You’re getting it.”

“Still, to think humans are this varied…” Jose said.

“There’s over seven billion of us,” Ren said. “If we were more similar, it’d be weird.”

“I guess that’s true,” Jose replied. “But it’s funny. I’m thinking about it now, and a lot of the really bad people tend to think of other people as just one thing. Madarame thought of his students as his property. Kaneshiro thought of others as his ATMs. Okumura thought of his workers as robots. But people are more than just that.”

“Hm hm,” Ren giggled once more. “It sounds like you’ve gotten the hang of things. I say hold on to that feeling and let it guide you. That’s your key to understanding humanity.”

“Hmmm,” Jose said. “Hm hm.” He smiled. “I think that’s only half right.” Ren was confused. “That feeling is one key, but I think you and the rest of the Thieves are the other key.”

Ren blushed. “Eh heh, well… I think that you all are my key to understanding humanity too.” The two continued into a little giggle fit.

Aeon-Jose: Rank 9

The two of them had a late lunch/early dinner at Leblanc, and then Jose headed back to Kosei.

Meanwhile, Hiroki was feeling miserable. He had spent pretty much all day vomiting or regretting everything. “Ugh…” Hiroki muddled. “I don’t know what feels worse: my stomach or my heart.”

There was a knock at his door. “Master Hiroki,” a butler said, “you have company. Miss Makoto Niijima and Miss Kisa Hagiwara.”

“Send them in…” Hiroki said with as much energy as he could muster. Makoto and Kisa entered. “Hi.”

“Hey Hiroki,” Kisa said.

“We brought you some school work,” Makoto said. “As well as some tomato soup.”

“Thanks,” Hiroki said.

“Do you want the work first, or the soup?” Makoto asked.

“I’ll take the soup,” Hiroki said. “I’ve barely eaten all day, and I could use something.”

Makoto nodded and took out a thermos. She poured some of the soup into the top cup and gave it to Hiroki. Here.”

“Thanks,” Hiroki said. He took a sip. “Hm. Seems unusual. Where did you get this?”

“Oh, um, well, I asked your friend Haru to make it,” Makoto said.

Hiroki was surprised. “WHAT?!” Kisa giggled.

“Well, she came to me because she was worried about you,” Makoto explained, “and now that I’m worried about you I came to her. She offered to make some fresh tomato soup to help you feel better.”

“She said she wanted to bring it to you herself,” Kisa interjected, “but since her father’s heart got changed by The Phantom Thieves, she wants to be there in case anything happens."

Makoto nodded. “She also said that the soup might not be that good.”

“Hm hm, of course she would,” Hiroki said. “It’s fine. It’s just what I needed.” He sighed. “I’m really pathetic.”

“Where did this come from?” Makoto asked.

“I thought I could do everything, but I fell face first,” Hiroki said. “I…I just wanted to help, and I ended up complicating things.”

“I know how you feel…” Makoto said.

“Me too…” Kisa replied.

“I dunno,” Hiroki said. “I feel like I REALLY screwed up.”

“Listen,” Makoto rallied. “I think that we all make mistakes. And we all suffer for it from time to time. But we’re the student council for a reason. We want to help people and do what we can to make a difference. Yes, there are limitations, and yes, sometimes we stumble, but I think what makes a person good isn’t whether or not they fall, it’s whether they get back up.”

“Hm,” Hiroki mirked. “Spoken like a true student council president.”

“Yeah, well, you should start practicing,” Makoto said. “After all, when I’ve graduated, that’s going to be your role.”

“WHAT?!” Hiroki said. “But-”

“Shhhh,” Makoto said. “You need to rest up.”

“But…” Hiroki continued protesting.

“I know,” Makoto replied. “You made a mistake. But I just said that doesn’t matter. I know you. You have a heart of gold, and the willpower to help people when they need it. There’s no doubt in my mind that I want you to take over.”

“For what it’s worth, I think you’ll do a great job,” Kisa said.

Hiroki was stunned. He looked at his two compatriots, and then down at the soup. Haru made this soup for him. Despite everything, his friends knew him for who he was, and not for some dumb thing he did. He smiled. “I accept with honor.”

Makoto smiled back. “Well, we should let you get your rest,” she said. “We’ll leave your school work on the table over there.”

“Thanks,” Hiroki said.

“Goodbye,” Kisa said. “Get well soon.”

“I will,” Hiroki said. “Thanks again.” The two girls left, leaving Hiroki alone with his soup. He continued taking sips. “Ah.” He looked at it again. “Hm. I feel like once I get up, I’ll have the energy to say something…”

Makoto messaged Haru.

Makoto: Thanks for making the soup on such short notice.

Haru: It’s no problem.

Haru: Did Hiroki like it?

Makoto: He loved it.

Haru: That’s good to hear.

Haru: I haven't had much of a chance to do something like this, so I was worried things wouldn’t turn out well.

Makoto: I’m sure he would have loved it even if it didn’t.

Haru: I don’t know about that.

Makoto giggled.

Makoto: Listen, Hiroki really cares about you.

Makoto: I think Hiroki likes knowing that you care about him too.

Makoto: And that goes beyond taste.

Haru: I guess you’re right.

Haru: Thanks for taking it to him.

Makoto: No problem! I asked after all.

Haru: Right.

Haru: I hope he gets better soon.

Makoto: Me too.

Makoto: How’s your dad?

Haru: He’s resting.

Haru: Although, he’s been talking with some of his staff about setting up a press conference.

Makoto: Well that’s good.

Makoto: Are you prepared for what will happen after?

Haru: I don’t think any of us can be fully prepared.

Haru: But I’m trying my best.

Makoto: I guess that’s the best any of us can hope for.

Makoto: I’ll talk to you later.

Haru: See you then!

After Haru sent that message, her doorbell rang. She decided to go answer it.

She opened the door. “Hello?”

“Ah yes,” said the man. Haru looked at him. She didn’t recognize him. “Hello young miss. I take it that you’re Haru Okumura, yes?”

“That is correct,” Haru said, a little on edge. An assortment of different people had been coming over to check in on her father after they had heard The Phantom Thieves came after them, but she was still taken aback by just how many people her father was in league with.

The man noticed this. “Ah. My apologies. I’m a friend of your fathers, as well as the director of the Special Investigations Unit. I heard he got attacked by those Phantom Thieves yesterday. I wanted to make sure he’s doing OK.”

“He’s…doing fine,” Haru said. “He’ll appreciate your concern.”

“Well, I have a little more than just concern for him,” the director said. He held up a cake. “I made this cake for him to eat when he gets better.”

Haru took it and smiled. “I’m sure he’ll love it.”

“Of course,” the director said. “It’s a very special recipe. It’s to die for.”

“You must be an excellent cook,” Haru said.

“Oh, I don’t mean to brag,” the director said. “When you have 17 grandchildren, knowing how to bake a delicious treat is a necessity.”

“I’ll be sure to keep that in mind,” Haru said. “I’ve been wanting to learn how to cook more myself.”

“Well, best of luck to you on that,” the director said. “And best of luck on your father’s recovery.”

Haru bowed. “Thank you.”

“Well, I should get going. The SIU is a very demanding place.”

“I’m glad you made time to come out here yourself.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t miss it for the world,” the director said. “Anyways, bye.”

“Bye!” Haru said. The director walked away, while Haru turned back into the house. She was going to put the cake in the fridge for later. “I wonder what it tastes like. I’m sure father wouldn’t mind if I had a little taste.” She placed the cake on the counter and grabbed a fork. She came back to the cake, used her fork to grab a small piece. She put it close to her mouth, but she stopped suddenly.

She suddenly felt fearful and uneasy. She looked at her fork, and then the whole cake. She started going pale. She ran the fork under some water, and the piece on it went down to the garbage disposal, which Haru promptly turned on.

Later, Haru was out in the backyard. The rest of the cake was on the stump she usually chopped firewood on. She grabbed her ax, and then chopped the cake into several pieces with multiple strikes made with intensity. Once Haru was out of breath, she stopped.

Later that evening, Ren got a message from Mishima.

Mishima: Hey, you got a minute?

Mishima: I've got some info for ya!

Ren: Sure!

Ren: Where do you wanna meet?

Mishima: Let’s meet at the diner, as per usual.

Ren: Sounds like a plan.

Ren put her phone away, and headed out.

On her way, she and Mishima bumped into each other on Central Street. “Oh hey,” Mishima said.

Ren chuckled. “Hey.”

Mishima chuckled back. “I think we can just exchange info here. I don’t have that much. Just one target, but this one’s a real doozy.”

“By all means,” Ren said.

“OK, this guy has been going around posing as a homeless guy,” Mishima said. “But he’s been killing people.”

“Um…no offense, but that seems like a lot,” Ren said.

“It gets worse,” Mishima said. “He says he’s doing it to assist The Phantom Thieves.”

“WHAT?!” Ren said, incensed.

Mishima nodded. “The people he kills are jerks, but this is a step too far.”

“At least,” Ren replied.

“So, you’ll take care of it?” Mishima asked.

“Yeah,” Ren said. “I don’t want people thinking we’re just a bunch of murderers.”

“Of course!” Mishima sai. He then grew sad. “Hey…was I…going in that direction?” Ren was confused. “I mean, I wasn’t ready to kill anyone, but I felt like I was trying to use you for my own ends.”

Ren smiled. “Well, luckily, it didn’t work.”

“Yeah,” Mishma said, embarrassed.

“Do you know why it didn’t work?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Mishima pondered.

“AHHHH!” The two looked in the direction of the scream.

“What was that?!” Ren asked.

Mishima grew worried. “Akiyama.” He rushed over, and Ren decided to assist.

The two of them found Akiyama being held at knifepoint by two gangsters. “Now now, just hand over the money.”

“I don’t have it!” Akiyama protested.

“Well that’s a shame,” the gangster said.

“Maybe we should just ask your little girlfriend,” the other one said. “Perhaps she’ll have the money.” Akiyama looked scared.

“HEY!” Mishima called out. The three of them looked up. “Stop this, RIGHT NOW!”

The gangsters looked at each other. “Or what?”

“Or I’m taking your photos to the police!” Mishima said. “I think they’d recognize your faces!”

“You got some nerve, kid,” one of the gangsters said.

“What are you doing?” Akiyama asked.

“Can it!” the other gangster said.

“What makes you think we won’t just cut you down with him?” the first gangster asked.

“Wel…” Mishima froze.

Ren stepped up. “I have an assault record,” she said.

The gangsters looked confused. “You’re joking.”

Ren shook her head. “He was tough too. Taller than me. And I laid him out on the pavement!”

Mishima smirked. “And if you think SHE’S scary, just wait until you meet the person she’s dating. They work out every day, and can do all sorts of things. Why, if you even gave my friend her a little scratch, there’s no telling what they’d do.”

The gangsters were nervous. “Man, eff this, this isn’t worth it.”

“Keep your stupid money!” the other one said. They left, at first walking, but then they bolted.

Mishima sighed. “I’m glad that’s over.”

“Hey!” Akiyama said. “Why’d you do that? You could have gotten yourself killed!”

“Am I just gonna let you get killed?” Mishima asked. “Or your girlfriend?” Akiyama didn’t have an answer. “Look. I know you don’t see me as much, but that’s no reason to let someone just get killed. I had to try, you know.”

“R…Right…” Akiyama admitted.

“No, do you mind telling us what happened?” Mishima asked.

Akiyama hesitated. “...They…were harassing my girlfriend one day. I stepped in, but then they harassed me. Apparently, she borrowed money from them, and they aggressively wanted it back. I paid them, but it wasn’t enough for them. Even after the original debt was up.”

“I see,” Mishima replied. “Do you have their information?”

“Yeah,” Akiyama said. “Why?”

“I think The Phantom Thieves may want to pay them a visit,” Mishima said.

“Are you sure?” Akiyama said.

“Of course,” Ren said. “Jerks like that are prime for a visit from The Phantom Thieves.”

Akiyama nodded. He sent Mishima a message. “Alright, that’s their info.”

Mishima got the message. “Alright. I’ll post it on the Phansite, and keep the circumstances on the downlow.”

Akiyama nodded. He stood up, and started walking away. Before he was gone, he turned and said “You know, you’re actually kind of cool.” He then left.

“Woah,” Mishima said, shocked. “That’s…that’s the first time Akiyama said something nice about me.”

“Well, it’s true,” Ren said. Mishima smiled. “So, I think you just answered my question.”

“Hm?” Mishima said.

“About why you didn’t follow that path,” Ren said. “We all have our moments of weakness. But you just proved that you’re not just your weakness. You rushed in and saved someone who might not have done the same for you. If that doesn’t convince you that you’re in no way like that murderer, then I don’t know what will.”

“I…guess that’s true,” Mishima said. “Eh heh. I’m still getting used to not being a failure.”

“Well, I think it looks good on you,” Ren said.

“Yeah,” Mishima said, embarrassed. “And hey, we got ourselves some more targets!”

“THAT is always a plus!” Ren said.

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 8

“Well, I think I better jet,” Mishima said. “I’ve got a bunch of stuff I need to do.”

Ren giggled. “Same. Later!”

“Later!” Mishima replied. They two went back to their homes for the night.

Chapter 166: One Foot in Front of The Other

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Thursday after school, Ryuji was heading out when his old track buddies came to him. He was stunned. “Ummmm, what’s going on?”

“Well, we’re meeting up for the track team,” Takeshi said. “We wanted to stop by to see if you’d like to come with.”

“Ummm…” Ryuji said. “I said I wasn’t ready to come back.”

“I know, I know,” Takeshi said. “We aren’t asking as a permanent member. Just for today.”

Well, I guess it couldn’t hurt. I could use a little more training. “Alllllright,” Ryuji said, somewhat reluctantly. The track team was excited.

Takeshi smiled. “Let’s go!” The group went over to the track.

Their coach, the old coach, the one Ryuji actually liked, saw them arrive. “Ah, Ryuji, glad you could join us.”

“Um, well,” Ryuji stuttered, “I, uh, hate to disappoint, but I’m not back on the team or anything. I just got an invitation, and, you know…”

“Right, right. Go at your own pace Sakamoto,” the coach said. “Now, let’s begin!”

“YEAH!” the track team and Ryuji cheered. They began by doing some warmups, followed by their actual training. Ryuji was loving it. He hadn’t felt this good doing track since, well, since the coach left. He felt that maybe, just maybe, he could figure something out.

However, throughout practice, the coach was watching him intently. He looked stern. Not angry, but not happy. Whenever one of the track members came up asking for help or advice, he’d give it kindly, but when it came to Ryuji, he was focused.

After practice was over, Ryuji and his old track buddies were laughing it up, when the coach called out “Sakamoto!”

Ryuji looked over. The coach nodded. Ryuji turned back to his track friends. “Alright, I’ll see you around. Later!” He rushed over to the coach. “Hey coach.” He noticed the coach’s stern expression. “Um, is everything alright?”

“I should be asking you that question,” the coach replied. Ryuji seemed confused. “I actually had Takeshi and the others bring you out today.”

“Oh,” Ryuji said, surprised. “Well, I’m glad they did! I had a blast! Just like old times!”

“Well, not entirely…” the coach responded. Ryuji was confused again. The coach sighed. “Ryuji, I know what Kamoshida did to you.”

“Oh…” Ryuji said, disappointed, his weak knee twitching.

“You know I’d have you back on the team in a heartbeat,” the coach added. “However, after seeing you out there today… I know your drive is still there, but I don’t think you’re fit enough to make this a full-time thing.”

“Figures…” Ryuji said. He looked sad.

The coach placed a hand on Ryuji’s shoulder. “I know it’s hard. Trust me. But I believe in you.”

“Well…what am I gonna do?” Ryuji asked. “I like being on the team. I like doing track. It’s probably the only thing I’m really good at.”

“Ryuji…” the coach said. He pulled out a flier. “I have a friend I’d like you to get in contact with. She’s a physical therapist. I think she can help you get to a point where you can push yourself once again.”

Ryuji grabbed the flier. He noticed the address. “Um, this seems a little out of the way, doesn’t it? I mean, it’s a ways away from the school, right?”

“From this school, yes,” the coach said.

Ryuji was shocked. “Wha…What are you saying?”

The coach smiled a sad smile. “You know I love having you on the team. And you know that if you were at your best, we could easily crush any competition. But I think what may be best for you is for you to get the help you need, even if it means leaving the school.”

Ryuji was stunned. “...Coach…”

“Hm,” the coach chuckled. “You don’t have to answer right away. I just want you to keep it in mind.”

The coach started to leave. Panicked, Ryuji said “Wait!” The coach paused. “Uhhh, I mean, I’ll definitely think about this. But I at least want to finish this year at this school. I’ve…got a lot on my mind at the moment. And while I don’t know if I know what I want now, I promise you I’ll figure it out by the end of the school year. I just… I just need some time. A lot has happened, and I don’t know where I am at the moment.”

The coach looked at him and smiled. “It’s OK. The fact that you can even say that means you're stronger than when I was forced out of this position. I was so worried that after I left, you’d go further down a path of disdain and reactionary violence.”

“Well…I think I might have too,” Ryuji admitted, “if I was alone. But a little while ago, I stopped being alone. I made new friends. I learned from them. I did things that I couldn’t even imagine doing even a year ago.”

“It sounds like these friends are very important to you,” the coach said.

“They mean the world to me,” Ryuji replied.

The coach smiled once again. “I see. Well, I’m glad that someone was able to help in my absence. I’ll be looking forward to what your answer is going to be. Oh! I almost forgot. Here.” He took out a handful of coupons for Ryuji’s favorite ramen place. “As a thank you for reuniting the track team. It’s the least I can do.”

Ryuji’s eyes sparkled. “Thank you coach.”

The coach smiled and nodded. “Well, see you around!”

“Right! Seeya!” Ryuji called out. As Ryuji was leaving the school, he looked at the flier again. He took out his phone, and made a call. “Hey mom. We need to talk about something.”

Notes:

I know last time had a bit of a dramatic moment that I think you were hoping I'd touch on, and I will, but I did want to do Ryuji's 9.5 to break things up a little. This is a short chapter, and it doesn't have a lot to do with the overall plot, but I like how strong it is despite all of that. It's simple, yet effective, and it really underlines how much Ryuji's changed over the course of the story, and how much he still needs to grow. I love it. Although, I'm not sure how many future 9.5s will be this short comparatively. I have ideas. Although, while they may be longer, I hope they have a similar impact as this one. Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 167: Beautiful Chaos

Chapter Text

Friday morning, Haru messaged the group chat.

Haru: Something happened last night.

Ren: What is it?

Haru: Well, we’ve been getting well-wishers from an assortment of people since father’s heart was stolen.

Haru: However, one person came by and offered a cake.

Ryuji: Was it good?

Haru: Well, that’s the thing…

Haru: I wanted to try it, but the instant it got close to my mouth, it felt like there was a voice inside of me screaming in agony.

“That can’t be good,” Morgana remarked.

Haru: I immediately destroyed the cake.

Futaba: You should have saved some.

Futaba: I could have analyzed it or something.

Haru: Had I thought of that, I might have, but you have to understand.

Haru: I think my Persona was having a harsh reaction to whatever was in this cake.

Haru: I couldn’t think about anything except for getting rid of it.

Makoto: Well, I’m sure that’s for the best.

Yusuke: Agreed. Even if we can’t figure out what was in it, it’s better for something like that to be gone.

Jose: So, who gave it to you?

Haru: I’m…having some trouble remembering.

Haru: The voice in my head was searing.

Haru: I’m sure it’ll come to me eventually.

Makoto: I’m sure of that too.

Ann: And even if it doesn’t, assuming all goes well, we might figure it out anyway.

Sumire: True. When Okumura’s change of heart goes into effect, we might get closer to that person.

Lena: How is your dad, by the way?

Haru: He’s getting better.

Haru: He’s set up a time for a press conference.

Haru: I don’t know if this was done purposefully, or if it was just convenient for him, but he plans on doing it on the 11th.

Ren: That is convenient.

Haru: Well, only sort of.

Haru: Father had a big business day out planned at Destiny Land, but now he can’t go.

Haru: However, it is too late to cancel the reservation.

Ryuji: Dude! You thinking what I’m thinking?

Yusuke: I’m never sure I am.

Ryuji: Haru, are you allowed to go?

Haru: Yes. This was going to be a celebration of me moving in with my fiance, so I can go.

Ryuji: Why don’t we just go there and celebrate our victory?!

Ryuji: Not to mention, we can count this as an induction for Haru as well.

Ryuji: I mean, only the best for her, right?

Ann: That sounds like a great plan, sweetie!

Makoto: Um, I don’t know if that’s fine…

Haru: It is. And it sounds like a wonderful idea.

Haru: I’d rather celebrate new found freedom than being chained to a horrid man at such a magical place.

Ryuji: Then it's settled!

“I have to hand it to him,” Morgana said. “This is a pretty good idea.

Ren: Morgana likes the idea too!

Lena: Oh, but can cats come?

Lena: Not that you’re a cat exactly, but…

Ren: Worst case scenario, I can just sneak him in, as usual.

Sumire: Well, alright then.

Haru: Party at Destiny Land!

Ren put her phone away, and headed to school.

After school, Ren was about to leave, when Shiho swung by. “Oh hey.”

“Hi,” Ren replied.

“Hey Shiho,” Ann said.

“You got a minute?” Shiho asked.

“Uh, I think so,” Ren said, checking her phone. “My, uh, my caretaker needs my help with something.”

“And I’m coming along!” Ann said

“But if you need to talk, we can make this quick,” Ren added. Shiho chuckled. “Well, maybe I can help too. If you need an extra set of hands.”

Ren smiled. “We won’t say no to that!”

“Splendid!” Shiho said.

“Well then, let’s roll!” Ann cheered. The three girls headed out of the school.

“So, what are we doing exactly?” Shiho asked.

“Well, we need to explain some things first,” Ren said. “So, you know I’m not from here originally.”

“Uh-huh,” Shiho said.

“And you know I’m living in the attic of a cafe,” Ren said. “However, I’m moving in with my caretaker soon. So right now, we’re working on getting things ready.”

“Oh,” Shiho said. “So, what are we moving?”

Ann chuckled. “Nothing. Today, we’re just taking down measurements.”

“We need to see what will fit in this room,” Ren said. “And I also need to talk with my parents about what’s coming from my place and what’s staying with them.”

Shiho grew curious. “Does that mean you’re staying for good?”

“Oh, uh, yeah,” Ren said, nervously. “I guess we’ve been so busy we didn’t get a chance to tell you.”

“Oh!” Shiho said. “Well, congratulations!”

Ren huckled. “Thanks…”

They made their way to Sojiro’s house and started measuring the room. “So, what did you want to talk about?” Ren asked.

“Oh!” Shiho said, getting caught off guard. “Oh, uh, well, I think the volleyball team and I have come to a decision.”

“Oh! And?” Ren wondered.

“I think we’ll take Miss Kawakami up on her offer,” Shiho explained.

“Alright!” Ann cheered. “The volleyball team is coming back!”

Shiho smiled nervously. “It’s a little later than maybe we hoped for, but I think this is a good start.”

“Have you told Miss Kawakami yet?” Ren asked.

“No,” Shiho said. “I…was thinking of holding off until after the midterms.”

“So you can focus on that?” Ann wondered.

“Well, that, and the fact that Mr. Arai will become principal after midterms,” Shiho explained.

“Oh, right,” Ann said.

“So, we’re thinking new principal, new coach, new opportunities,” Shiho continued.

“I see,” Ann said.

“But…a part of me is still nervous,” Shiho explained.

“How come?” Ren asked.

“I’m…not sure…” Shiho said. “I’m not worried that Kawakami will be a repeat of Kamoshida. In fact… I think it’s the opposite.”

“Huh?” Ann wondered.

Shiho sighed. “I’m worried about succeeding. I’m worried that this will be the turnaround. I know it sounds crazy…”

After a bit of silence, Ren replied “No, I…I get it. It’s hard to think that this could work. That things are changing. That something new is just around the bed. I’m sort of feeling the same way. I like the fact that I can stay. I mean, my friends are here. I’ve been happier here than I have been in a long time. My girlfriend’s here. There’s no reason to be nervous but the fact that something new is about to happen makes me nervous.”

Shiho chuckled. “I guess it makes sense. Like, the devil you know is worse than the devil you don’t kind of thing.”

“Right,” Ren said. “But I think it’s worth remembering that the devil you do know is still a devil. And that while change may be scary, even good change, if you have the right people, it’s worth it.”

Shiho smiled. “You always know just what to say.”

“I just say what I think,” Ren explained.

“Heh heh,” Shiho chuckled. “I guess you’re one of those ‘right people’ for me.”

“Well, the same goes for you,” Ren countered.

“Hey, what about me?” Ann asked.

Ren and Shiho looked at her and chuckled. “Of course you’re important to us,” Shiho said.

“Yeah, I don’t think I’d be anywhere near where I am if it wasn’t for you,” Ren explained.

Ann got a little embarrassed. “Eh heh. Sorry.”

Shiho giggled. “No, it’s alright. I think I needed something like that. I feel like part of the change coming is that I’m afraid of growing apart. But knowing that you still depend on me is sweet. And of course, I depend on you as well.”

“Aw, c’mon!” Ann giggled. “Do you really think I’d let you go so easily?”

Shiho chuckled. “I think after what happened with the whole Kamoshida-Phantom Thieves thing, probably not.” All three of them shared a chuckle. Shiho smiled. “Thanks.”

Hope-Shiho Suzui: Rank 8

The girls continued taking some measurements and writing them down. Once they finished up, Ann led the charge to get some scones.

After they finished eating, they headed their separate ways. As she was heading back to Leblanc, she made a video call. “Hi mom!”

“Hi sweetie!” Yuine said. “How are things going?”

“They’re going pretty well,” Ren said. “Um, so, I have the measurements.”

“Ah, that’s right,” Yuine said. “Hm. I still can’t believe my baby girl is leaving.”

“I can…hardly believe it myself,” Ren said.

“Hm hm, well, it's for the best,” Yuine said. “...Listen…I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you as much as I could have been.”

“It’s fine mom,” Ren said. “I was…kind of scared to open up myself. I probably should have trusted you more.”

“Oh honey,” Yuine said. “It’s a mother’s job to pry open her kids whether they want to or not.” Ren rolled her eyes. “In all seriousness, I’m glad things are working out. I just wish we didn’t have to be so far apart.”

“Well, you could always come here,” Ren suggested. “I mean, if dad wins his run, you’d have a reason to. But I know you can’t leave your parlor.”

“Right,” Yuine said. “Well, even though we have some distance, you know I’m just a phone call away.”

Ren chuckled. “Of course.” “So, what are those measurements, anyhow?” Yuine asked. “Although, I think I’ll at least keep your bed here. You know, for when you visit.”

“Of course,” Ren said. She and her mom had a discussion about the measurements of her new room, what she could bring from her old house, and when some of that stuff should start arriving.

A little while later, Ren got another phone call. She answered. “Hello?”

“Greetings.”

“Lavenza?” Ren replied.

“That is correct,” she replied.

“Hm hm. Do you wanna go somewhere tonight?”

“If you would be so kind,” Lavenza said.

“Alright, I’ll see you soon!” Ren said. She hung up, and headed out.

Once Ren made it to The Velvet Room, she was greeted by Lavenza. “Good evening.”

“Good evening,” Ren replied. “So, where do you want to go this time?”

“I hear tell of a place where you can go and experience the ocean without going to the ocean,” Lavenza said. “A place where humans collect marine life and put them on display for their own enjoyment.”

Ren was a little shocked. “I…think you’re talking about the aquarium.”

“Yes, I believe I am,” Lavenza said.

“Eh heh,” Ren laughed nervously. “When you put it like that, it sounds a little more menacing than it is.”

“Is it not menacing?” Lavenza wondered.

“Well…” Ren answered. “I think the best way to find the answer is just going there. So let’s go!” Lavenza nodded, and the two headed to the aquarium.

As they were going through, Lavenza was in awe of the different displays. “Wow! This is so intriguing!” Ren chuckled. “But why do humans take sea creatures out of their habitat to put them on display here? Is it to assert dominance?”

“I…think we do that enough by eating them,” Ren said, sheepishly.

“But what other reason is there?” Lavenza asked.

“Well, there’s a couple,” Ren explained. “But it basically boils down to helping us understand the world in a safe environment. I mean, as cool or intriguing as some of these animals are, if we were in the actual ocean and came face-to-face with some of these, we might not have a good chance to make it back.”

“But some people do that,” Lavenza said. “Otherwise this place wouldn’t exist.”

“True, but they take precautions,” Ren said.

“So, they’re protected?” Lavenza asked.

“Yeah, but it’s not fool-proof,” Ren explained. “There’s still a danger to it.”

“So why do this at all?” Lavenza said.

“Like I said, it’s to learn,” Ren replied. “The world is a big place, and most of it is water. This helps people understand the aquatic world, and gives us tips on how to help preserve it.”

“And you can’t find this out in a book?” Lavenza asked.

“You could,” Ren said. “But there’s a difference between reading about something, and seeing it.”

“But this can’t be all the sea has to offer, can it?” Lavenza inquired.

“You’re right about that,” Ren answered. “But this place helps you get a surface level taste. And perhaps it will inspire someone to look deeper into the topic.”

“How fascinating,” Lavenza said. “So, it’s like a door to another world.”

Ren giggled. “Pretty much, yeah.”

“Human ingenuity is on a whole other level,” Lavenza said. “I can't help but think that this is why Master chooses a human each time something like this happens.” She looked sad.

Ren took notice of this. “Well, not all humans are so intuitive,” Ren said. “It’s a matter of choosing the right human. Besides, without someone like you, I don’t know where I’d be when it comes to all of this.”

“You’re just saying that,” Lavenza said.

Ren shook her head. “Most humans might not even go along with something like this. And like the sea, the metaverse is another world, and you’re guiding me through it.”

Lavenza perked up. “Really?” Ren nodded. “I…I see… He he.”

Ren pulled her in for a hug. “You’re doing fine.”

Lavenza gripped Ren. “Thank you.”

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 5

They let go “I suppose this is it for the night, huh.”

The announcements came on. “Attention: The last penguin show of the day will commence in 10 minutes! If you don’t want to miss it, had over now!”

Lavenza looked at Ren. “What are penguins?”

Ren chuckled. “I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Let’s go!” Ren took Lavenza to see the penguin show.

As they were leaving, Lavenza was ecstatic. “Wow! That was SO amazing!”

“Hm hm, I’d thought you’d love it,” Ren replied.

Lavenza spotted a penguin plush in the gift shop. “Can I get one?”

Ren shrugged. “I don’t see why not.”

“Yay!” Lavenza cheered. She rushed over to pick one out, while Ren followed her. After getting her penguin plush, Ren returned Lavenza to The Velvet Room, and then headed back to Leblanc.

Meanwhile, Sae returned home, exhausted. She flopped down on the chair in the living room. Makoto, who was eating dinner, walked up to her. “Hey Makoto,” she said.

“Um, are you feeling alright sis?” Makoto asked.

“I could be better,” Sae answered. She looked at Makoto. “How are things going at school?”

“Oh, uh, well, in a twist, Mr. Ogata dropped out, and Mr. Arai is going to be our new principal.”

“Huh,” Sae said. “I’m a little surprised. But not in a bad way.”

“I was meeting with him earlier, Makoto said. “As the student council president. He said he taught you?”

Sae nodded. “Only in my first year though.”

“Well, you seemed to make quite an impression on him,” Makoto retorted.

“Eh, he’s just saying that to be nice,” Sae replied.

“Do you want anything to eat?” Makoto said.

“Nah,” Sae said. “I had dinner with Riko.”

“I see…” Makoto said. “How did that go?”

“It went well,” Sae said. “Although I don’t imagine she’d say the same. I wasn’t in the best mood. I’m still not.”

“Is there anything I can do to help?” Makoto asked.

Sae looked at her sister. She knew that everything she was doing was for her sake. She knew that by busting The Phantom Thieves and solving this mental shutdown case, she could wield real power, with which to reshape the world. She smirked. “Just…keep doing your best. And I’ll keep doing mine.”

“Ummmmmmm…” Makoto said, nervously.

Sae glared. “What?”

“W-well…” Makoto said. “I know your job isn’t easy… but lately, you’ve seemed a little more…um…how do I put this…?”

Sae glared. “We’re in the middle of an unprecedented crisis, and I’M the only thing standing in between this country and chaos!” Makoto turned pale. Sae sighed. “This is what I mean… I’m not in a great mood. I’m STILL mad that those Phantom Thieves managed to change Okumura’s heart from under my nose! I keep making progress, and yet they make more! I keep putting in effort, and they get the credit! I’M the one who should be lionized! I’M the one on the side of justice! And yet those THIEVES are becoming a household NAME!” She slammed her fist on the armrest.

There was an unsettling silence. Makoto broke it, just to say “...I’m…sorry…”

Sae sighed. “No, it’s not your fault. I just hope that whatever happens, I can come face-to-face with these Phantom Thieves one way or another.” She stood up. “I’m sorry for unloading on you like that. I’m gonna go take a bath, and then go to sleep, OK?” Makoto nodded. “OK then.” Sae yawned. “Goodnight Makoto!” She headed down the hall.

“Goodnight!” Makoto called back. Once Sae was in the bathroom, Makoto decided to check the app. She was slightly relieved when she saw that no one was taking over yet, but was still worried. “I know you’ll get what you want sis. Just…not in the way you imagine it. But hopefully, our meeting will give you everything you need.” She went back to eating her dinner.

Chapter 168: A Solid Foundation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next morning, Haru sent another message to the group.

Haru: I feel like I need a break from everything.

Haru: As much as I need to look over father, I feel a little listless.

Ryuji: You know what helps me?

Haru: What’s that?

Ryuji: A trip to Mementos.

Ren: I was just thinking of that.

Ren: I have a plethora of targets too.

Haru: Umm, you may have explained this already, but with everything happening so fast, I may have forgot.

Makoto: Mementos is essentially a palace for everyone who doesn’t have a palace.

Haru: Oh. So that’s how you take on smaller targets.

Lena: Basically.

Haru: Well, it sounds like a good idea.

Haru: Maybe not today though.

Sumire: Tomorrow works better for me as well.

Sumire: With the competition so close, Sunday is basically the only day I have off.

Ren: Sounds like a plan then.

Ren put her phone away.

After school, as Ren and Ann were leaving their classroom, they were greeted by Ryuji. He looked rather serious. “Hey,” he said. “You got a second?”

“Um, sure?” Ann said. “What’s this about?”

Ryuji seemed hesitant to answer. “...It’s about a lot of things.”

“Is everything alright?” Ren asked.

Ryuji clenched his fist. He sighed. “Yeah Kind of.”

Ann looked puzzled. “I haven’t seen you look like this before. Are you sure everything is OK?”

“Just…ugh…just trust me, OK?” Ryuji said.

“Oh, uh, of course,” Ann said, still slightly concerned.

“Great!” Ryuji said. “Follow me!” Ryuji started heading off. The girls looked at each other and shrugged, before following Ryuji.

Ryuji led them to a sporting goods store with a bunch of shoes in the window. “I…don’t think I’ve seen this place before,” Ann remarked.

Ryuji turned to them. “Well, I mean, I don’t know how much of a reason you’d have for coming to a place like this.”

“What is this place anyways?” Ren asked.

“Well, back when I was on the track team, I’d get my shoes from here,” Ryuji explained “This place is really great. The stuff’s cheap, but durable. Comfortable too.”

“Oh,” Ann said. “Are you thinking of returning to the track team then?”

“Well…sort of…” Ryuji explained. The answer only served to confuse Ann and Ren. Ryuji sighed. “It’s complicated. Because of what Kamoshida did to me, I’m not at my peak So if I wanted to join track, I’d have to do some physical therapy.”

“I see,” Ann said.

“But…I think I’m gonna give it a shot,” Ryuji said.

“Really?” Ann said. “That’s wonderful!” Ann hugged Ryuji.

“Right,” Ryuji said tepidly.

Ann let go of her boyfriend, knowing something was up. “What’s the catch?”

“Well..” Ryuji said. “There’s a few.”

“Go on,” Ren said.

Ryuji gulped. “Well, I’m not gonna do it until the start of the next school year.”

“Why wait?” Ann asked.

“That’s the even more difficult part…” Ryuji said. “For me to do physical therapy…” he gulped, “...I’d have to leave Shujin.”

“Huh?!” Ren said.

“WHAT?!” Ann exclaimed.

Ryuji nodded. “That’s why I'm putting it off. I want to finish the year with you all.”

“Bu…bu…” Ann said.

Ren grew stern. “Why not leave now?” she asked. Ann looked at her in horror. “I mean, regardless of where you go to school, you’re still a Phantom Thief. You’re still our friend. A different school doesn’t change that.” Ann was blown away.

Ryuji grinned. “Heh. Well, first off, I don’t think physical therapy lets you just ditch at the last minute for unexplainable reasons. So long as we’re needed as Phantom Thieves, I would need to prioritize that. But there’s more.” Ann and Ren were intrigued.

Ryuji smiled. “I thought for the longest time the only way to help my mom was to get a track scholarship, become a track star, and be able to stand on my own and help her. However, after everything that’s happened, I think I figured out what I really want, and what will really help my mom. We became The Phantom Thieves to squash evil where it lies. But we also did it to give hope to others who might not have it. And I want to continue that, even after we’re no longer Phantom Thieves. So that is why I’ve decided I want to become a coach!” Ann and Ren were stunned.

Ryuji continued. “My coach is so reliable. I feel like I can come to him with anything, and he’ll find a way to help the best he can. I want to be like that. I want to be the person someone can come to without fear. I know I have a ways to go, but you Ren, and you Ann, and everyone else, all of you have helped me get to this point so far. So I want to keep going down this path with you until I feel like I’m ready to take the leap! That is, if you’ll let me.”

The girls were stunned. Then Ren started letting out a chuckle, while Ann hugged Ryuji again. “Of course we’ll let you!”

“We’d be a lousy team if we didn’t,” Ren added.

Ryujiwas taken aback. He reciprocated the hug, gave Ann a peck on the cheek, and smiled again. “Thanks.” It was a nice moment.

However, it was broken up by the sound of Ann’s phone going off. “Oh! It's my agent. I’ve got to take this.” She answered and started walking off.

Ryji sighed, relieved. He turned to Ren. “Hey, uh, don’t tell Ann, but you were the bigger factor in helping me decide things.”

“Oh?” Ren said.

“I mean, Ann’s…amazing…” Ryuji said. “But without you we might still be fighting…”

“Hm,” Ren scoffed. “I don't want to think that’s true. Besides, I’m sure Ann can take you to higher heights than I ever could.”

“Well…that may be true…” Ryuji said, “but getting me started is nothing to sneeze at!” Ren giggled. “You’re a good leader. And someday, I hope I can be half the leader you are!”

“Really?” Ren said, indignant.

“Well…” Ryuji said, nervously.

Ren grinned. “Where’s your competitive spirit? You should aim to be twice the leader I am.”

Ryuji was surprised. “Ha ha ha ha! Yeah! In fact, why stop at twice?! I’ll be 10 times the leader you are!”

“Hm hm. That’s the spirit,” Ren said, jovially.

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast turned a vow into a blood oath.

Thy bond shall become the wings of rebellion and break the yoke of thy heart.

Thou hast awakened to the ultimate secret of the Chariot, granting thee infinite power…

Chariot-Ryuji Sakamoto: Rank 10

Inside Ryuji, a powerful force was manifesting itself. His Persona, Captain Kidd, was changing. Evolving. Lightning stuck, as his Persona grew alongside him, becoming Seiten Taisei.

What is this feeling? I feel so alive! Heh! Get ready world, cause HERE COMES RYUJI SAKAMOTO!

Ann walked back. “Alright, what’d I miss?”

Ren got a message on her phone. “That’s Boss. He wants to continue planning my move into his place. I should get going. But since you two are still here, why not make it a date? After all, this is worth celebrating.”

“Hm. You said it,” Ryuji said.

Ren left. “Seeya!”

“Bye!” Ann called out.

“Bye!” Ryuji shouted. “See you later!” Ren rushed off back to Leblanc.

Later that evening, Ren got a message.

Chihaya: Say, do you mind coming up here?

Chihaya: I have some things on my mind.

Ren: Of course.

Ren: I’ll see you later then.

Ren gathered her things, and headed to Shinjuku.

Once she got to Chihaya’s booth, Chihaya greeted her with a hearty “Hello!”

Ren waved. “Hi.” She took a seat. “You seem like you’re in a good mood.”

“Hm hm. You noticed,” Chihaya giggled. “To be honest, I’ve been trying out some new things.”

“Oh? Do tell,” Ren replied.

“Well, I’ve been thinking about what you said,” Chihaya explained, “about how you’ve gotten used to the city because of your friends. So, I’ve decided to try taking a page out of your book.”

“How’s it going?” Ren asked.

“It’s going OK,” Chihaya said. “I’ve been working on motivating my patrons to improve their lots, rather than just accepting things fait accompli. I’ve done a bunch of reading on all sorts of subjects. I’ve alway been a little popular, but with this, I’ve been getting more customers, and more people are coming back.”

“That sounds nice,” Ren said.

“It is,” Chihaya said. “But…”

“Hello there Maiden!” A voice called out. Ren and Chihaya looked to see a man in a business suit.

“Oh, hello,” Chihaya said.

The man looked at Ren. “Am I interrupting a session?”

“Oh, sorry,” Chihaya said. “This young lady is my new part-time assistant.”

“Ah, I’ve heard about her,” the man said. “Well, any friend of The Maiden’s is a friend of mine.”

“‘The Maiden’?” Ren wondered.

“Ah, forgive me,” Chihaya said. “That’s a…company nickname.” Ren was confused.

“You mean you haven’t told her?” the man asked.

Chihaya shook her head. “No…not yet…” She looked at Ren. “This is Yokoda, my boss.” Ren was even more confused. “On top of being a fortune teller, I also assist people through an organization called The ADP Foundation. They’re the ones who actually helped me find my footing when I first came to Tokyo.”

“Well of course,” Yokoda said. “We at The ADP Foundation find it’s our duty to help everyone in need.”

“I see,” Ren said, still a little unsure about the situation.

Yokoda turned back to Chihaya. “I’ve heard that your fortune telling has improved recently.”

“Well…” Chihaya said, slightly blushing. “I don’t mean to brag…”

Yokoda nodded. “Don’t sell yourself short. You’re amazing.”

Chihaya blushed harder. “Thanks.”

“However,” Yokoda said, taking a more serious tone, “your Holy Stone sales have taken a dip.”

“Is that so?” Chihaya said, feigning ignorance.

“I get that it’s not your favorite thing,” Yokoda explained. “But you know it’s important. If The APD Foundation wants to help everyone, then people need to get to know us. And the best way to do that is through our holy stones.”

“R-Right…” Chihaya said. “I’ll…be sure to sell more…”

“That’s the spirit,” Yokoda said. He turned back to Ren. “By the way, allow me to give you a proper introduction.” He took out a pamphlet and handed it to Ren. “Make sure to give it a read, OK?”

“OK,” Ren said, putting on her best smile.

“I’ll be seeing you soon, OK Maiden,” Yokoda said.

“Of course,” Chihaya said. “Bye!” Yokoda took off. Chihaya sighed.

“Soooooooooooo…?” Ren said.

“Hm, right,” Chihaya explained. “Well, as he said, I help The ADP Foundation by selling Holy Stones.”

“But aren’t they fake?” Ren asked.

“...Well…yeah..” Chihaya admitted. She sighed again. “But if The ADP Foundation helps people, then maybe…”

“What makes you think they’re helping people?” Ren asked.

“Well, they helped me,” Chihaya explained.

“Hm. Well, you got me there,” Ren said, slightly sarcastically.

“I know,” Chihaya said. “It’s not much to go off of, but when you’ve been labeled a monster for so long, you start to believe it. And when someone says you aren’t, it feels like a ray of hope. I can’t just sever that without a second thought.”

Ren paused. She knew what Chihaya was saying. She’d been through it herself to some extent. And as suspicious as Ren was of this ADP Foundation, she couldn’t confirm anything herself. She looked up at Chihaya. “Well, tell you what: you’ve been adapting to giving more help, and you’ve been doing research. So why don’t you do some research into the foundation and see if they’re worth their salt?”

Chihaya was shocked. “Oh no, I couldn’t,” she protested. “They’d be suspicious of me.”

“If you do end up getting caught, just say you’re doing this for me,”Ren said. “After all, I’m still in the dark on The ADP Foundation as well.”

Chihaya was surprised. “You’d..you’d take the fall for me like that?”

“Sure,” Ren said. “What are friends for? Besides, it’s not like you’re lying.”

“True,” Chihaya said. She smiled. “Thanks. You know, it’s funny; ever since you’ve joined me, I’ve had more confidence in myself, and in turn I’ve given more confidence to my clients. So thanks.”

“Hm hm. My pleasure,” Ren responded.

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 5“Well, I should get going,” Ren said.

“I’ve got a big day ahead of me tomorrow. But you knew that already, didn’t you.”

Chihaya giggled. “What can I say? When you’ve got a gift, you’ve got a gift. Have a good night.”

“You too,” Ren replied. She got up, and headed back to Leblanc for the night.

Notes:

Now that's TWO party members at rank 10! So, Ryuji wanting to be a coach is another thing I took from Light1108, but I think it fits well. I'm not gonna lie, when I first got into writing this story and decided that Ann was going to be the first one in with Ren instead of Ryuji, I ran into the issue of "Ryuji not being the first friend kind of downplays him a lot". However, I feel like I've picked up that slight fumble and managed to do him justice, even with a bit of a handicap, and I think this chapter proves it. Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 169: 5 Targets (And Revelation)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sunday morning, Futaba was making her way to Leblanc. When she got to the door, she nearly bumped into Haru. “Oh!” they both said, surprised.

“Sorry,” Haru added.

“No, it’s..it’s alright,” Futaba added awkwardly. There was a bit of silence. “So, what are you doing here so early?”

“Oh, well, I was feeling a little listless,” Haru explained. “I felt that since we’re meeting up anyway, I may as well get a head start, you know?”

“I see,” Futaba said.

“Oh, but it doesn’t look like Leblanc is open yet,” Haru noted. “Perhaps we’re a bit too early.”

“Nah, that’s just for customers,” Futaba said. “We can go in.” She opened the door. And walked in. Haru was so puzzled by Futaba’s bravado that she couldn’t say anything. After a split second, she followed Futaba in. When they entered, they saw Ren eating breakfast and Sojiro standing at the counter. “Sojiro, I’m hungry!” Futaba belted out.

“OK, OK,’ Sojiro said. He looked up and was surprised to see Haru here as well. “Oh, um hello.”

“Hello,” Haru replied.

“You’re here early,” Ren remarked.

“I just wanted to get out of my head a little bit,” Haru said. “Father is having lawyers over to discuss his confession.”

“Woah,” Futaba remarked. “Sounds like it’s getting serious.”

Haru nodded. “Very much so. I decided to come down and just…hang out before we head out.”

“I see,” Ren said. “Want some breakfast?”

“Oh, um, well, I ate before coming here,” Haru said.

“Still, this’ll be your first time in Mementos,” Ren replied. “It might be better to fill up while you can.”

“Well, if you insist,” Haru said. She sat down next to Ren.

Futaba took a seat next to Haru. “I’m hungry too!”

“Alright, alright, settle down,” Sojiro said. “I’m on it.” He cooked up some curry for Futaba and Haru.

A little while later, the rest of the Phantom Thieves showed up. They were all a little surprised to see Haru there already, but Hau explained herself to them.

They began meeting about what targets they have. “Is everyone ready?” Morgana asked. They all nodded. “Good. Now let’s go over our targets.”

Ren nodded. “First on our list: Shinpei Honjo, He’s an editor for a newspaper who is currently working to cover up at least one news story, and potentially many others.”

“Man what an asshole!” Ryuji said. “He’s supposed to give us the truth, but he’s feeding us lies? Eff that!”

“While I might not have said it in the way Ryuji just did, I agree,” Makoto said. “Something has to be done!”

“Alright,” Ren said. “Next up: Mitsuyo Togo.”

“She’s Hifumi’s mother, correct?” Yusuke asked.

Ren nodded. “She’s pressuring her daughter to do things she doesn’t want to do: Become a model. Throw her next shogi match. She’s not even listening to reason.”

“Well then, we must stop her!” Yusuke said, determined. “As someone who knows what it’s like to have a parental figure abuse the art you create, I am 100% in favor of intervening here!”

“Well said,” Ren responded. “Next up: Chikara Hada. He’s my parole officer.”

“Um,” Haru interjected, “would that be a little suspect on your part?”

“Maybe not,” Futaba said. “I’m looking into this guy right now. ‘Aggressive’ is too light of a word to describe him.”

“Oh my!” Haru said.

“Plus, Boss asked me to,” Ren explained. “He said that when he stopped by and heard Futaba’s voice that  must be involved in a smuggling ring.”

“WHAT?!” Futaba shouted. “That’s ludicrous!”

“I’ll say,” Ren said. So, I take it we’re onboard then?” Everyone nodded. “OK, next up, we have Yohei Kiritani. He’s been posing as a homeless guy, but has been going around killing people ‘to help The Phantom Thieves.’”

“WHAT?!” Ann shouted. “That’s insane!”

“I agree,” Jose said. “We HAVE to put a stop to this!”

“I take it no objections then,” Ren said. “So then, lastly we have Katsuo Otani and Hachio Tanimoto: A pair of delinquents who are getting out of hand. They lend money to people and demand a lot more than they gave out. And if you don’t pay up, they harass you, violently.”

“Sounds a lot like Kaneshiro,” Sumire remarked.

“And they don’t mind dragging others into it,” Ren explained. “I came across them attacking the boyfriend of someone who needed a loan.”

“What jerks!” Lena said. “We should put a stop to this!”

“Very well then,” Ren said. “It seems like we agree. So let’s head out!” The team nodded.

They started getting up, when Sojiro interrupted. “Hold it!” They looked at him. He approached Haru. “Tomorrow’s a holiday, meaning you don’t have school. I was planning on taking Ren shopping for some furniture for her room, but if you still need some space from your home, you can come along if you’d like.”

“Oh, uh, are you sure?” Haru asked.

Sojiro nodded. “I insist.”

“Well then, thank you,” Haru said.

“Don’t mention it,” Sojiro replied. He went back behind the counter.

“Well then, let’s head out for real,” Ren instructed. Again, everyone nodded, and they left.

Once In Memenots, Haru was awestruck. “Wow! This is certainly different than what I was expecting.”

“What were you expecting?” Yusuke asked.

“Well…I’m not sure…” Haru answered. “But this wasn’t it.”

“Fair,” Yusuke replied.

“It didn’t used to look like this,” Jose said.

Everyone looked at him. “What?!” Makoto said.

“But when we came down here the first time, it looked like this, didn’t it?” Ryuji said.

Jose nodded. “That was when we met. But I’ve been down here before you guys showed up.”

“I…guess that makes sense,” Ann said. “We did find you down here.”

“So, what was it like beforehand?” Futaba asked.

“It was more reminiscent of a subway system,” Jose explained. “Although it was more…warped, I guess is how you could put it.”

“Why did it change?” Makoto asked.

“And when?” Lena added.

“It changed with the emergence of Eris,” Morgana said.

“Wait, you knew this too?!” Ryuji asked. “Why didn’t you say anything?!”

“I figured it wasn’t that important,” Morgana said. “I was only created after Eris emerged, so I don’t know what it used to look like. Besides, it doesn’t change much. Our target is at the bottom of this place. What it looks like is mostly irrelevant.”

The others were a little confused, but Ren interjected “Don’t be mad at him. I knew as well.”

“WHAT?!” Ryuji shrieked.

“Huh?!” Ann yelped.

“How?” Jose wondered.

Ren paused. “When I first came to Tokyo, Eris pulled me into a dream. Well, it was more like a vision. It was her confronting Yaldabaoth, and when she destroyed him, I saw a bunch of things. They were…visions of the palaces and how they’d change. Except for your mom’s palace Cupid, but I think that’s because her palace didn’t fully form.”

“Huh,” Lena replied.

“Anyway,” Ren said, picking it back up, “the last thing I saw was the train system turning into this garden. I didn’t say anything because, well, a lot was happening, and by the time I thought to, it didn’t quite matter as much. Because Mona’s right, it doesn’t really matter what this place looks like, just what it is.”

There was a silence among the team. They were unsure how to react. Until Sumire walked over to her girlfriend and gave her a hug. “It’s OK. I think we understand. All of this is a lot to take in.”

Ren blushed, smiled, and hugged Sumire back “Thanks Violet.” She nested her head on Sumire’s. Eventually, they let go.

“So…what now?” Yusuke asked.

“Well…with that out of the way, I think we should proceed,” Makoto said.

“I agree,” Haru replied. “But this place looks fairly big. Going through it might be tough.”

“Nyeh heh heh,” Morgana chuckled. “Not to worry! I have just the thing. TRANSFORM!” He transformed into a car.

“Oh how WONDERFUL!” Haru said.

“Nyeh heh!” Morgana cheered. “You like?”

“I do like!” Haru cheered.

“Wait till you see the inside!” Jose said.

“Although it might be a bit crammed with all of us…” Yusuke noted.

“Only if you think that way,” Ren said. “Let’s roll!” The thieves entered Morgana and started driving through Mementos.

Once they made it to a portal, they got out. Ren recognized Ohya’s boss. “That’s Shinpei Honjo.”

“The new editor?” Ann wondered. “The guy who’s covering up stories?”

“That’s the one,” Ren said. “Let’s go.” They approached.

Honjo took notice of them. “Hm? Who are you?”

Ren grew determined. “We’re The Phantom Thieves!”

“Oh? Here for an interview?” Honjo asked.

“No, but we have your front page for tomorrow,” Ren answered. “You confessing to covering up stories and letting Ohya investigate!”

“Grr,” Honjo hissed. “So, you’re on HER side, huh. I KNEW she had more dirt! Well, I guess I’ll just have to take you in myself. That’ll show her!”

“Someone’s jealous,” Sumire remarked.

“Of that alcoholic, pathetic, desperate excuse of a writer?!” Honjo shot back. “I’m more a journalist than she’ll ever be!” He transformed into Take-Minakata. “Here’s tomorrow’s REAL headline: Phantom Thieves Found Dead!”

“Now you’re spreading fake news too,” Morgana said. “Pathetic!” They battled Honjo, and beat him hand over fist. “Man, we're getting good!”

“Well, there are eleven of us now,” Yusuke remarked.

Honjo reverted to his human form and looked defeated. Ren noticed something in his expression. “What’s wrong?”

“I…I really am jealous…” Honjo said. “Ohya has such passion, such a drive for her work…I lost it somewhere along the way.”

“Why are you covering up stories?” Makoto asked.

“I’m getting paid to,” Honjo admitted. “Before you ask, I don’t know by who or why. Whoever’s doing it pays the board, and the board pays me. I’ve got a family, and raising kids isn’t easy. Especially with the transitions we need to make to accommodate today’s technological shift.”

“Still, that’s no excuse,” Sumire said.

“You’re right,” Honjo said. “I’ll make things right. Thank you.” He disappeared. Ren grabbed the treasure, and they left.

As they continued further, Sumire asked “Say, do you think that the people paying that guy are involved with the person Kobayakawa mentioned?”

“I wouldn’t be surprised,” Ryuji answered.

“I’m almost certain they are,” Yusuke added.

“Oh,” Sumire said. “I’m a little worried then. If these people go after that guy like they did with Kobayakawa.”

“I doubt it,” Ren said.

“What makes you so sure?” Lena asked.

“For the sound of it, it sounds like a simple exchange,” Ren said. “They get money for saying or not saying things. I don’t think you need anyone high enough on that ladder to do that.”

“I can look into it too, just in case,” Futaba said.

“I think Ohya can look into things as well,” Ren said.

“I think she might even if you didn’t ask her too,” Morgana replied.

“True,” Ren said. “Like her boss said, she has a knack for this.” They continued on.

They got to another portal and entered it. On the other side, they found a woman. “That’s Hifumi’s mother, correct?” Jose added.

“Yup, that’s her,” Ren answered.

“We should put a stop to her abuse,” Yusuke said.

“Agreed,” Ren replied. They approached her.

“Oh, what’s this?!?” Hifumi’s mom. “Paparazzi?”

“Not quite,” Ann said.

“We’re here to free Hifumi from your clutches!” Ren declared.

“WHAT?!” Hifumi’s mom said. “You can’t be serious.”

“As a heart attack,” Ren countered.

“What you’re doing to her is nothing short of abuse!” Yusuke added. “You WILL stop your meddlesome behavior at ONCE!”

“Well, I hate to disappoint a crowd, but no,” Hifumi’s mom countered.

“I’m afraid we aren’t asking,” Yusuke said.

“GrrrrrrrRAGH!” Hifumi’s mom growled. She transformed into Lilim. “Hifumi’s MINE! I can do what I want with her!”

“Pathetic,” Yusuke said. They engaged in a battle, and again despite Mitsuyo’s underhanded tactics, The Phantom Thieves won.

Mitsuyo reverted back. “Why?...Why can’t I have anything? My husband is sick, and I don’t know what else to do to help make ends meet besides making Hifumi an overnight sensation…”

“She’s really good at shogi, right?” Jose said. “I’m sure she’d do enough to help.”

There was some hesitancy on the part of Mitsuyo. “I’ve…I’ve been rigging her games.”

“WHAT?!” Yusuke said, shocked.

“Why?” Morgana asked.

“It helped the narrative,” Mitsuyo said.

“And that’s also why you were pulling her away from it?” Ren inquired.

Mitsuyo nodded. “She really is good at shogi. But I thought if she could face tougher opponents, she’d become more of a household name. But I guess she wasn’t ready for it.”

“She was,” Ren said. “What she wasn’t ready for was this scheme of yours. She enjoys playing shogi, and uses what she can to help out. Win, lose, or draw, she would fight against even the greatest shogi player of all time. Because unlike you, she knows when to admit defeat.”

Mitsuyo looked at the thieves. “Well, I guess I’ll start learning. Thank you.” She disappeared, and Ren grabbed her treasure.

“Very well put, Joker,” Yusuke said.

“But this’ll surely rock the shogi world,” Makoto said.

“Yeah, but didn't you hear Joker?” Jose said. “Hifumi can weather it.”

Makoto nodded. “You’re right Sunshine.” They continued onward.

They got to the floor with the next door they needed to open, and in the way stood a man. “I believe that’s Yohei Kiritani: the guy who pretends to be homeless but then goes and kills people. Be on your guard!” The others nodded as they approached him.

“Eh heh heh!” Yohei chuckled. “Well if it isn’t The Phantom Thieves!”

“What’s with the cheerful attitude?” Ryuji asked.

“Yeah, we’re here to make you confess,” Lena said

“Me? Confess?!” Yohei said, stunned. “But I did nothing wrong!”

“You’ve killed people,” Futaba countered.

“I’ve killed people in the name of JUSTICE!” Yohei said. “You and I are two sides of the same coin!”

“DON’T LUMP THE TWO OF US TOGETHER!” Makoto shouted. “We’d NEVER stoop so low as to kill anyone!”

“Besides, you’re giving homeless people a bad name!” Sumire said. “They already have it hard enough as is.”

“Well, it seems like we’re at an impasse,” Yohei said. “I guess I just have to kill you and take the mantle for myself.”

“I’d like to see you try!” Morgana dared.

“Oh yeah?” Yohei said. He transformed into Rakshasa. “Bring it on!” This fight was a little tougher than the previous two had been, but in the end The Phantom Thieves and their justice prevailed.

He transformed back. “So, you’ll turn yourself in?” Makoto said.

“I guess I have to,” Yohei said. “But just know, there may come a time when you can’t take the pacifist route anymore.”

“That’s for us to decide,” Ren retorted.

“Hm,” Yohei chuckled. “You know, I pray you hold to it.” He disappeared.

Ren grabbed the treasure, and then opened up the door. “Let’s keep moving,” she instructed. The others nodded, and they continued down.

They found the fourth portal and entered. In it, they saw two mean-looking kids. “So that’s Katsuo Otani and Hachio Tanimoto,” Lena remarked. “If I recall, these two are extortionists.”

“Correct,” Ren said.

“Well then, let’s put an end to their reign of terror!” Sumire shouted. They nodded and approached.

The two boys looked at the oncoming thieves. “Who are you?” one of them asked.

“C’mon Hachio,” Katsuo said. “Don’t you know? They’re The Phantom Thieves!”

“Oh yeah, the guys that took down bossman Kaneshiro,” Hachio said.

“You WORKED for Kaneshiro?!” Makoto said.

“Course,” Katsuo answered. “We had a good thing going.”

“But weren’t you blackmailed?” Sumire asked.

“Psh, only if we disobeyed,” Katsuo said.

“Yeah, we were THRIVING,” Hachio said. “But then it all fell apart because of you!”

“Luckily, we’ll rise from the ashes and take his place,” Katsuo said, “one sucker at a time!”

“Like HELL you will!” Makoto declared.

“Aren’t you somethin’?” Katsuo said. Katsuo transformed into Ganesha, and Hachio transformed into Jatayu. “Well, we’ll just have to claim our vengeance!” They proceeded to fight. The duo’s penchant for fighting and cruel tactics made things hard, but just like everyone else, they lost.

The two reverted back and were breathing heavily. “Had enough?” Makoto said, menacingly.

“Or are you thirsty for more?” Lena added.

“GAH!” Katsuo shouted.

“What do we do?” Hachio said.

“You turn yourselves in,” Makoto instructed. “Understood?”

“Yes ma’am!” they both said. They disappeared, and Ren took their treasure.

“Woah!” Ryuji said.

“You’re really cool Queen-senpai,” Sumire said.

Lena nodded. “You really know how to command power.”

“Oh, uh, well…” Makoto said, embarrassed.

Ren giggled. “Let’s keep moving.” They left the portal and continued through Mementos.

They found their last portal and entered it. They spotted a police officer. “That guy’s your parole officer?!” Ryuji remarked. “He seems…uh…a little unhinged…”

“From what I’ve read, he’s a lot unhinged,” Futaba said.

“From what we’ve been told, I don’t doubt it,” Yusuke said.

“Well then, let’s stop him!” Haru said. They approached him.

Officer Hada looked at them. “Well well well, if it isn’t the Phantom Thieves! Come to turn yourselves in to the most brilliant detective mind in Japan?”

“Not in particular,” Yusuke said.

“We’re here to change your heart!” Futaba shouted.

“WHAT?!” Hada said. “Well, I can’t say I’m surprised. Criminal scum such as yourselves don’t go quietly.”

“What makes you think you’re the best detective mind in Japan?” Ann asked.

“Yeah, that title belongs to Akechi,” Lena chimed in.

“PAH! That UPSTART?!” Hada said. “I’m a better detective than he’ll ever be! I’m better than ANY detective will ever be! And I’ll PROVE it by taking you in!” He transformed into Byakhee. “DIE!” This fight was the hardest they’ve had today, but just like everyone else, Hada too fell to The Phantom Thieves.

He transformed back. “...It’s not fair…”

“What’s not fair?” Ren asked.

“I’ve only made a couple of mistakes!” Hada pleaded, crying his eyes out. “And yet everyone on the force treats me as some kind of outcast. I just wanted recognition!”

“So that’s why he’s so aggressive,” Sumire said.

“I’ve heard them talking about some kind of grand plan,” Hada said. “I wanted to be part of it, but they kept me away, saying ‘Oh, you’ll just ruin it like everything else.’”

“I see,” Ryuji said. “Wait, WHAT?!”

“But I guess I’m not that good,” Hada said. “But know this: As long as you stand on the side of injustice, justice will always prevail! But I guess I was on the side of injustice too.” He faded, and Ren took his treasure. Everyone was stunned, and just left silently.

As they were traveling, Lena asked “That thing he mentioned…you think it’s the same as…?”

“Most assuredly,” Yusuke said.

“I don’t doubt it,” Futaba said.

“Still, I can’t help but feel a little sorry for him,” Ryuji said. “He just wanted a place to belong. Even if he’s a piece of shit, anyone can understand that.”

“I agree,” Lena said. “While he may have been going about it the wrong way, I can’t say I don’t understand.”

They got to the next door. Ren approached it, and just like clockwork, it didn’t open. “Oh my,” Haru said.

“We can’t open it yet,” Ren said. “I’m guessing this’ll unlock when your father confesses Noir.

“So, what do we do in the meantime?” Haru asked.

“We go back,” Ren said. “We bide our time, get more requests, and hopefully find another true blue palace to raid.” Makoto flinched a little at the prospect of finding another palace, knowing her sister is on that list somewhere.

“Actually,” Futaba interjected, “before we leave, can we do something else?”

“What is it Oracle?” Ann asked.

“Well, after what happened last time, I’ve decided to scan a few things,” Futaba explained.

“You mean with Kobayakawa?” Ryuji asked.

Futaba nodded. “When we come into Mementos, the station goes from bustling to empty, but the station layout remains the same. But from my readings, outside the station has some major readings that feel at least somewhat similar to Kobayakawa’s.”

Everyone was shocked. “Well let’s check it out then,” Ren said. The thieves headed back all the way up Mementos. Once at the top of Mementos, they headed up the stairs but still remained in the metaverse. After they entered the barren station, Ren instructed, “Alright, let’s have a look around.” The thieves nodded and started looking.

During their search, Haru approached one of the entrances and found something that shook her to her core. “Uh guys?! I think I found it!” Everyone else came rushing to her position, and were equally stunned.

In front of them was a wall of water. Beyond the wall was the Tokyo they knew, but it looked ruinous. “WHAT THE SHIT?!” Ryuji yelped.

“Wha-what’s going on?!” Makoto shrieked.

“How peculiar,” Yusuke said.

“That’s a mild way of putting it,” Ann said.

“Should one of us…go out there?” Lena asked.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Sumire said. “I don’t know if we can even survive out there for starters.”

“Kobayakawa did have a diving suit,” Morgana pointed out.

“Besides, we’ve done a lot today,” Jose said. “I don’t know about the rest of you, but I feel tired.”

“Not to mention, this is Noir’s first trip down here,” Ren added.

“Still, THIS IS CRAZY!” Futaba exclaimed. “But I agree, going in there now is a mistake.”

“Well, maybe we can make a plan to try and explore it further when we come back,” Haru suggested.

“Good thinking Noir,” Ren said. “In the meantime, I think we should head out for real. Good job everyone!” Everyone nodded once more, and they headed back to the real world, and to their homes for the evening.

Notes:

We're nearing the end of the Okumura arc, and you might be able to tell that things are going be be...different. I can barely contain myself, because things are only going to change further, and as different as I've made thing so far, seeing a more stark contrast between what I do and what the game does is exciting. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 170: New Horizons

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Haru and Futaba arrived at Leblanc at the same time again. “Oh! I wasn’t expecting to meet you here again, Futaba-chan,” Haru said, surprised.

Futaba looked away sheepishly. “Well…I wasn’t expecting to come either…but since you were also coming…I figured…maybe I’d give it a shot…”

Haru was touched. “Well that’s real sweet of you. Come here.” Haru gave Futaba a hug.

“Oof! OK, that’s enough,” Futaba said.

“Hm hm. Sorry,” Haru apologized. “I guess I got a little carried away.”

“It’s…it’s alright…” Futaba said, slightly embarrassed. They entered Leblanc.

Sojiro turned to them. “Ah, good morning.”

“Hi,” Ren said. “Futaba, are you coming too?”

“Well…I guess…” Futaba answered. “I mean, with you, Sojiro, and Haru, I think I’ll be fine.”

Sojiro nodded. He turned back to Haru. “Did you eat yet?”

“I did not,” Haru said.

“I did,” Futaba said.

“You did?” Sojiro wondered.

Futaba nodded. “I had some instant yakisoba before coming here!”

Sojiro sighed. “Well, that may be enough for you when you spend hours in front of your computer, but if you’re coming with us, you’re gonna need more energy than that.”

“But Sojirooooo…” Futaba protested.

“But nothing,” Sojiro replied. Futaba huffed. “Hm,” Sojiro smirked. “You’re pretending like you don’t like this stuff.”

Futaba looked down. “I guess…”

“Are you sure you’ll be OK, Futaba-chan?” Haru wondered.

“I’ll be fine,” Futaba said. “I need to get more acclimated to this kind of thing after all.”

“I wonder if there’s something we can do to help keep your mind off of things for a bit,” Ren pondered.

Just then, Yusuke walked through the door. Everyone looked at him curiously. “Hello,” he said.

“Um, not that we don’t appreciate you,” Ren said, “but what are you doing here?”

“Oh, well, I was thinking about doing some sketch work,” Yusuke said. “Since I had heard you were planning to run some errands, I was thinking perhaps working here in solitude.”

“I see…” Ren said.

Sojiro looked at him. “Say, why don’t you come with us?”

“Huh?!” Yusuke and Futaba replied.

“The more, the merrier, right?” Sojiro said. “Besides, we’re going out to get furnishing and paint, so it wouldn’t hurt to have someone with your aesthetic ability on hand.”

“Well, uh,” Yusuke said, stumbling. “Well, if you insist.”

“Thank you,” Sojiro said. “You want some breakfast too?”

“How could I say ‘no’?” Yusuke answered.

“Hm,” Sojiro smiled. “Coming up.” He went to work making breakfast.

Futaba, Haru, and Yuuke sat down with Ren. “Why’d you agree so suddenly?” Futaba asked, somewhat annoyed that Yusuke was coming.

“To be honest, I just wanted to get out of the dorms for today,” Yusuke admitted. “Things at Kosei are getting wild, and I just want some time away from all that.”

Futaba nodded. “I guess that’s fair.”

“Well, like Sojiro said, ‘the more, the merrier’,” Ren replied. “Why not make the most out of this?”

“I agree,” Haru said. “It’d be nice to go out and shop for a change. Father usually orders online or makes others go out. I still get to choose, but it doesn’t feel quite the same.”

“Well, it seems like this’ll be a good opportunity for all of us,” Ren said. Everyone cheered.

“Here you go,” Sojiro said, coming back with breakfast for everyone.

“Thanks boss!” Ren said.

“Thank you,” Haru replied.

“What a marvelous meal!” Yusuke exclaimed.

“Thank you Sojiro!” Futaba said. They dug in. Once they finished breakfast, they were out the door.

As they were getting to Sojiro’s car, he turned around and looked at the kids. “Hmmm.”

The kids were confused. “What’s up?” Futaba asked.

He continued looking them over. “Hmmmmm. Ren, you take the front seat. Futaba, Yusuke, you take the ends, while Haru sits in the middle.”

“What?!” Futaba responded, stunned.

Sojiro nodded. “I think that’s the best way to organize things.”

“Well, I have no objections,” Yusuke said.

“See, he gets it,” Sojiro said. Futaba slightly pouted. “Now get in. We’re burning daylight here.” They proceeded to get into the car, and then they were off.

In the car, Haru nervously fidgeted. Yusuke noticed this. “Do you need to stop somewhere?” he asked bluntly.

“Oh, no,” Haru said, slightly embarrassed. “Nothing like that.”

“Then why are you so…fidgety?” Yusuke wondered.

“Inari, you idiot,” Futaba interjected. “You can’t just ask a girl something like that!”

“Why not?” Yusuke shot back.

“It’s rude,” Futaba answered. 

Haru chuckled. “It’s fine. Really. But thank you for sticking up for me Futaba-chan.”

“Oh, uh well…” Futaba said, embarrassed. Ren giggled.

“So, what is all of this about?” Sojiro wondered.

“Well, um,” Haru stumbled, “if it’s alright with you, maybe I could pay for these amenities.”

Everyone was surprised. “Are you sure?” Sojiro asked.

“Yeah, um, I don’t know what's going to happen after your father’s, well, you know…” Ren added.

“It’s fine,” Haru said. “Father’s talking with lawyers about this very issue. I heard him say he doesn’t want me to suffer alongside him.”

“Well that’s…nice…” Ren said, slightly awkwardly.

“Besides, it’s the least I can do after everything you’ve done for me,” Haru added.

“Well, if you say so,” Sojiro said. “I’ll allow it.”

“Thank you,” Haru said. They continued making their way to the stores.

They started looking at beds. “Are you thinking of somethin’ a little more…fancy?” Sojiro wondered.

“Well, I think any bed I’d get here would be an upgrade from what I have currently on that front,” Ren said. “Not that it’s bad, just a little…”

“I get it,” Sojiro said.

“A fancy bed does sound nice though,” Yusuke said.

“Eh,” Futaba replied. “I don’t know if I care about it being ‘fancy.’ The most important thing about a bed is comfort.”

“Futaba-chan’s right,” Haru said. “A good night’s sleep is necessary, and if you have the wrong kind of mattress for you, it can be detrimental.”

“Sounds like you have something in mind Haru,” Yusuke said.

“Well, um, it’s just,” Haru said, embarrassed, “given mine and Ren’s…similarities…I think a bed similar to mine would work wonders.”

“I see,” Sojiro said.

“Sounds good to me,” Ren said.

Futaba pouted, and whispered to herself “I’ll catch up. Just you wait!”

They then started looking at different furnishing options. “Well, a dresser of some kind is a no-brainer,” Yusuke said.

“What about some chairs or something?” Sojiro asked. “In case you ever wanna hang out with friends.”

“Well, I was kind of thinking about leaving the attic as a primary hangout spot,” Ren said. “I was kind of thinking of leaving a few things over there anyways.”

Sojiro shrugged. “I mean, I’m not doing much with the space.”

“What about a TV?” Yusuke asked. “I feel like having something like that of your own is beneficial. My dorm room doesn’t have one, but the common area does, and, well, it can sometimes turn into a bloodbath.”

“I don’t know about a whole TV,” Futaba said. “But a computer set-up is a must! Plus, you can get a lot of the functionality of a TV from your computer these days.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind something like that,” Ren said. “But I’d need a desk for that.”

“I know some good ones,” Haru said. “Although it depends on how you want it to look.”

“Haru’s right,” Yusuke said. “Whatever we get shouldn’t clash too much.”

“I mean, a simple desk is fine,” Ren said. “I like the desk in the attic, but that desk fits the attic more than it does an actual bedroom.”

“We can always paint the desk,” Yusuke said.

“I’d rather get a new desk,” Ren said. “That desk is kind of old. I’m not entirely sure it can survive getting out of the attic.”

“I see,” Yusuke said.

“But we can paint a new desk,” Haru offered.

“True,” Ren said. “And I wouldn’t mind some kind of furnishing for company.”

“Gotcha,” Sojiro said. “Let’s have a look around.” They continued looking.

A little later, they were looking at paint colors. “So, what color looks good for your room?” Sojiro asked. They began looking things over.

“I think this lavender color really suits her,” Yusuke said.

“No way!” Futaba protested. “Black is the way to go.”

“Black is so dreary,” Yusuke said.

“She usually dresses in black,”” Futaba countered.

“She dresses in darker colors,” Yusuke retorted. “There’s a difference.”

“Because when everyone thinks of ‘dark’ they think ‘lavender’,” Futaba remarked sarcastically.

“It’s a shade of purple,” Yusuke responded.

“A light shade,” Futaba said.

As they continued bickering, Ren pulled Haru aside. “So, do you think they're going to date still?”

Haru looked at the two arguing like an old married couple. “Hmmm. I’m not sure. I just have a sense that those two are connected on a deeper level. It doesn’t have to be romantic. One of my father’s closest friends is a woman. After mother died, she helped ease his pain. It didn’t turn romantic, but her being there for him meant more than any romance could.”

Ren looked at Yusuke and Futaba arguing some more. She noticed that Futaba was a lot more lively with Yusuke around. Plus with her focused on him, she was a lot less focused on what makes her afraid of going out. And Yusuke thrives with someone being interested in what he’s saying, even if Futaba disagrees with him. Maybe even disagreeing with him is more helpful at times, since he’s used to praise and just being appreciated at his school for his artistry. Disagreeing with him helps him grow and understand more as a person.

Ren smiled. “Perhaps you’re right.” She then looked at the colors. “OOOO!” She picked out a swatch. “How about this one?” She showed them a cherry red color that looked magnificent.

Yusuke and Futaba looked defeated. “Truly, I have failed as a painter for not noticing such a perfect color match earlier,” Yuuke replied.

“Urk! HP down to 0,” Futaba lamented.

“...I’ll…take that as a yes,” Ren responded.

“Well, the colors you chose aren’t bad,” Haru said, cheering them up.

“Yeah,” Ren added. “I think we can paint the ceiling black, and maybe the desk can be lavender.”

“I like it!” Futaba said.

“As do I,” Yusuke said. “The palette is simply divine.” Ren and Haru giggled.

A little later, they were having lunch at a restaurant. “Today was surely something!” Futaba said.

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed. “I haven’t been shopping like this since…well…since I lived with Madarame…”

“Yeah, I get ya,” Futaba responded. “I’ve usually let Sojiro do my shopping for me ever since…” A sorrowful feeling overcame the tale.

Sojiro knew he had to do something. He sighed. “Look, you’re still young,” he said. “You’ll have the opportunity to do this when you get your own places.” He looked at Yusuke. “Heck, you’ll probably have to do it once you graduate from Kosei.”

Yusuke was surprised. “Well…that’s true…but isn’t it also true for Ren when she graduates next year?”

“Maybe,” Ren said. “A lot’s been happening, and I’m not 100% sure many colleges would accept me.”

“I’m sure they will,” Haru said.

“I agree,” Sojro said. “We’ll find a way to clear your record.”

“Besides, there’s a lot of great schools in Tokyo,” Futaba said. “We could stay with Sojiro for a little while if need be.”

Sojiro groaned. “Well, I do like my privacy…but I guess I don’t mind having you two around either.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks.”

A little while later, the group was finalizing the purchases. Sojiro got on the phone about hiring painters to paint the room, while Yusuke and Futaba both went to the bathroom, leaving Ren and Haru. “Ummmm,” Haru said.

Ren looked at her. “What is it?”

Haru hesitated. “It’s just…a lot is going to change for me from here on out,” Haru said. “And while I was a catalyst for such a change, I’m not sure I’m 100% ready.”

“How come?” Ren asked.

“Well, it seems like father is giving me his entire stake in the company,” Haru said. “That’s…a lot of responsibility.”

“I’ll say,” Ren said.

“Furthermore, I’m not entirely familiar with the staff,” Haru said. “I’ve talked with them several times, but they remained distant due to me being their boss’s daughter. And with me having what father has now, I’m not sure if that’ll close the gap, or widen it further.”

“That does sound difficult,” Ren said. “However, I’m not exactly a business expert, so I don’t know how to help.”

Haru giggled. She smiled. “I don’t need you to be a business expert. I just need you to be a friend. Someone I can talk to from time to time. Things only got this bad because I wasn’t letting myself express how I truly feel, and I want to put a stop to that.

I know I have Hiroki, but I want more. I don’t mean to be selfish, but having other people to talk to and listen to what I have to say is nice. A lot of times people would only feign interest in what I’ve had to say because I was my father’s daughter. But I want to be seen for me.”

“I don’t think that’s selfish,” Ren replied. Haru looked at her, stunned. “I think that’s perfectly reasonable. And yeah, I’ll be there to listen to you whenever you need it.”

Haru giggled. “Thank you!”

I am thou... Thou art I… Thou hast acquired a new vow...

It shall become the wings of rebellion that breaketh thy chains of captivity.

With the birth of the Empress Persona I have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.

Empress-Haru Okumura: Rank 1

Sojiro walked back. “Are those two back from the bathroom yet?” he asked.

Yusuke and Futaba walked back. “Hey.”

“Oh good,” Sojiro said. “I was slightly worried you two would end up in another argument and get distracted.”

“Urk!” Futaba replied.

“Ghah!” Yusuke said. Ren and Haru chuckled. The group headed out of the store, and went home.

That evening, Ren, Futaba, and Soiro were at Leblanc doing some work. Sojiro looked on and smiled. Futaba saw this. “Whatcha smilin’ about?” she asked.

“Oh, uh, nothing,” Sojiro replied. “It’s just…” He sighed. “It’s been a long time since I’ve felt so…at peace. I mean, you’re coming out of your shell, Ren’s moving in with us…I dunno, I’ve just been feeling better recently.”

“As you should,” Ren said.

“Yeah Sojiro,” Futaba said. “You’ve done so much for us…I can’t…”

“Hm,” Sojiro replied. “It’s nothing really. I like doing this.”

“Sojiro…” Futaba said.

Sojiro smiled. “C’mere,” he said. He went in for a hug.

Futaba tried pulling away. “Sojiro…” Sojiro chuckled. Ren looked on. This was a perfect moment, and she knew it.

Unfortunately, perfection couldn’t last. The door opened. The three of them looked and saw Futaba’s uncle at the door. “Eep!” Futaba cried out, hiding behind Sojiro.

“Well well, what’s this?” Futaba’s uncle said. “It seems Futaba is scared.

“She’s only scared because of you,” Sojiro fired back.

“Oh! Did someone grow a spine?” Futaba’s uncle retorted.

“What do you want?” Sojiro asked.

“You know what I want,” Futaba’s uncle replied.

“I told you, I don’t have what you’re looking for,” Sojiro said.

“Oh, but you have the money to spare for furniture shopping?” Futaba’s dad replied. “Yeah, I saw you.” Sojiro grunted. “Don’t look at me like that. Or perhaps, do you want me to take Futaba back?” Futaba cowered even more. “Maybe it’ll free you up to take in even more convicts.” Ren was surprised. “Yeah, I know what’s up with you.”

“Bastard,” Sojiro said.

“So, what’ll it be?” Futaba’s uncle asked.

Sojiro looked at him intently. “None of the above,” he answered.

“WHAT?!” Futba’s uncle said, indignant.

Ren stepped up. “You heard him.”

“Why you!” He came in with a punch, but Ren dodged it, causing him to fall. “That’s it!” He got up. “I’m gonna file a report with child services.”

“Don’t go blaming others for your own messes,” Sojiro instructed.

“Heh, well, you know how to smooth things over,” Futaba’s uncle said.

“You fell,” Sojiro said.

“DId I?” Futaba’s uncle said. “Or did that no good DELINQUENT push me face down?”

“Well, the truth is on my side,” Sojiro said.

“Heh, well, the truth doesn't mean much when you don’t have a blood relation to anyone you’re trying to watch over,” Futaba’s uncle replied. “Blood is thicker than water.”

“First off, that phrase means the opposite of what you think it does,” Sojiro said. “Second, even if you had said what you wanted to say, your blood is worthless.”

“Grr!” Futaba’s uncle hissed. “Fine! Be that way. Laugh it up until either I get paid, or I get Futaba!” He rushed out of Leblanc in a huff.

Sojiro sighed. “Sorry,” Ren said.

“Hm. It’s fine,” Sojiro replied. “You were just trying to protect Futaba.”

“Sojiro…” Futaba said with a tear in her eye.

Sojiro smiled. “It’ll be alright,” he assured her. “Trust me, everyone at my age has a demon or two, and this guy appears to be a persistent one. But I’ll deal with it, OK?” Futaba nodded, but seemed a little unsure. “That’s my girl. Now, head back home. I’ve gotta finish cleaning up.” Futaba nodded and quietly left. Sojiro sighed.

“Are you sure you'll be OK?” Ren asked.

“In the short term: yes,” Sojiro answered. “In the long term: who knows? He’ll keep fighting his losing battle no matter what, but the second I let up he wins.” He smiled. “I’ve never had something worth fighting for before I met Wakaba. And now that I have it, I know I have to fight with all my might to keep it. And that includes you too. I know he threatened you, but I won’t let him destroy what we have. Not by a long shot.” Ren smiled.

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 8

“Now, do you want to help me clean up a bit?” Sojiro asked. “The sooner I get out of here, the sooner I can get back home with Futaba.”

“Yes sir!” Ren said. The two of them cleaned Leblanc, and Sojiro headed out, while Ren headed back upstairs.

Notes:

And with that, the next chapter will be the Okumura confession, and then onto the Sae arc. I decided to start Haru's confidant here because it makes sense, but also to help pace it a little better so that I'm not just blitzing through it in November and December. This also means only Sae's confidant has yet to start, which I can't really say anything else right now. Sorry ;P. But for now, things are about to take off, and I cannot wait for you to see my plans unfold. Enjoy.

Chapter 171: But Not The Last

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Haru woke up Tuesday. As she went to the kitchen, she smelled a familiar smell; a smell she hadn’t smelled in a long time. She entered the kitchen and saw something strange: her father was cooking. Kunikazu looked over his shoulder and saw his daughter. “Ah, good morning Haru.”

“Ah!” Haru said, surprised. “Good morning father.” She continued looking at him confused. “Um, it’s unusual to see you cooking.”

“Yeah, well,” Kunikazu said as he sighed, “a lot has been unusual as of late.”

“You can say that again…” Haru muttered. She sat down. “So, what are you making?”

“Heh,” Kunizaku chuckled. “Your mother’s pancake recipe.” Haru was even more shocked. He flipped the pancake. “I spent all night trying to find it.”

“Oh!” Haru exclaimed. “Do…you need help?”

Kunikazu smiled. “I’d like that. Cmere!” Haru walked over and helped her father cook using her mother’s recipe. In a way, it felt like all three of them were there again.

Once the pancakes were ready, they began eating. “How is it Haru?” Kunikazu asked.

Haru swallowed her bite. “Delicious!”

“Well, I’m not as good as your mother was,” Kunikazu replied.

“Don’t sell yourself short, father,” Haru said. “You’re an exceptional cook when you want to be.”

Kunikazu just smiled in response. They kept eating. Kunikazu then interjected once more. “You know, there was a reason I wanted to find your mother’s pancake recipe.” Haru looked over at her father.

Kunikazu grew dour. He sighed. “For a long time, something has clouded my judgment. I… When your mother died, I was …lost…I somehow came to the conclusion that I had to turn into this greedy person. I thought I was doing it to protect everything I had left over…but…I don’t know. Somehow, it grew out of control. But after recent events, I’ve decided to make things right. Unfortunately, this’ll mean that I’m going to prison.”

He looked up at Haru. “I’m sorry I wasn’t a better father…or much of a father at all, really…but I just want you to know that I always loved you, even if I couldn’t show it.” He sighed again. “I…I wanted you to have your mother’s pancake recipe so you can have something to remember the good times. I know you’ll have all of this, or as much of this that remains, but this is more of a testament to the worst aspects of me.” He smiled. “I know this is too little too late, but…”

Haru had tears in her eyes. “Oh father!” she said. She got up, rushed to him, and gave him a hug.

Kunikazu was taken aback by the hug, but reciprocated to the best of his ability. He smiled. “I need you to be strong, OK?”

“Yes father!” she said.

“That’s my girl,” Kunikazu replied. They continued their hug for a while, but broke off to face the inevitable. Still, they knew they were better for it.

Later, Haru arrived at school. Just as she was entering, she heard “Hey.” She turned to see Hiroki. He approached her intently. “Listen…I’m sorry…”

“Huh?” Haru said.

“I didn’t mean to scare you like I did,” Hiroki continued. “I just…ugh, it feels like a fever dream. I dunno what came over me. Just anger, emotion, and…fear, I guess…”

Haru looked at Hiroki’s stance. She knew better than anyone what Hiroki thought he was up against. She wished she did something sooner, but she knew that it wasn’t too late. She grabbed his hand with determination. “Hiroki!” she said.

Hiroki was surprised. “Um, yes?”

“I need you to listen to me,” Haru continued. Hiroki nodded. “...My father…most likely is going to end up arrested…” Hiroki was shocked. He knew that the Phantom Thieves went after him, but to hear it was another thing entirely. “He asked me to be strong. And I promised I would be. But I need you there too! Otherwise…it’ll be difficult to stay strong. I mean, I have more friends now, but without you…”

Hiroki smiled. “Say no more. I understand.” He paused. “Thanks.”

“Hm hm, what are friends for?” Haru giggled. They continued on their way.

Throughout the day, Hiroki was getting back to his old self. This was noticed not just amongst the student council, but also Ryuji, Lena, and his other classmates. He wasn’t feeling the best, but seeing them not be concerned for him helped ease himself.

Meanwhile, Haru’s heart was on the verge of beating out of her chest. Still, she remained calm. After all, despite everything, she knew this had to be done. It still hurt, but with everyone helping her, she knew it would hurt less.

During lunch, Haru got out her phone and messaged the group.

Haru: Hey, would you mind if we met up at Shujin before we go to Destiny Land?

Makoto: It is closer.

Ryuji: Plus most of us are here anyway.

Yusuke: Are we just meeting up and going?

Haru: Not quite.

Haru: I have some work for the gardening club to tend to.

Haru: So maybe we an meet on the roof.

Haru: I just want you to be there with me.

Futaba: Are you OK Haru?

Haru: I’m fine.

Haru: Or…I’ll be fine.

Haru: Despite everything, this is still difficult.

Haru: So I’d rather not spend any time alone than I need to.

Sumire: I understand.

Sumire: It can be difficult.

Ren: We’ll meet you up there.

Jose: How will we get in?

Ann: I can help sneak you in.

Lena: Me too!

Makoto: If you do get caught, just tell them it’s OK with me.

Lena: Thanks Makoto!

Haru: I appreciate you doing all of this.

Ren: The pleasure is all ours.

Ren: We’ll see you after school.

Haru: Thank you.

They put their phones away.

Meanwhile, Hiroki’s older brother was on the phone. “WHAT?!”

“You heard me,” Kunikazu said on the other end. “Our deal is off. You are no longer engaged to my daughter.”

“But SIR!” Sugimura protested.

“No buts,” Okumura said. “My decision is final.”

“Grr,” Sugimura hissed. “Fine! But you can kiss your political career goodbye!”

“Believe me, I already have,” Okumura said. He hung up.

Sugimura was stunned at the abrupt end. “Grr. GAH! What’s UP with him? He shouldn't be this cognisant.” He sulked for a little bit. “Perhaps I'll have a chat with father about this.”

After school, most of the Shujin Phantoms started heading to the roof. Makoto instead headed to the student council office. She rushed to her desk and started looking things over. The other members took notice. “Um, do you have plans?” Misa asked. “It seems like you’re in a hurry.”

“Yeah,” Makoto said. “I’m just doing a quick check on things, and then I have to get out of here.”

Hiroki looked on at his boss. He knew she was part of Haru’s circle now, and guessed that she was going to meet up with her. “Hey,” Hiroki said. “I’ll take over for today.”

Makoto was stunned. “Are you sure?”

Hiroki nodded. “I mean, I’ve missed out the past couple of days. I gotta get back into the swing of things.”

“Usually that’s done by easing you in,” Kisa remarked.

“Well, I like diving into the deep end,” Hiroki shot back.

Makoto smiled. “Very well. But I warn you, it’s a lot.”

"It’s nothing I can’t handle,” Hiroki grinned back.

Makoto stood up. “Very well.” She started walking out. “You know, this is why I chose you to be my successor.”

“I won’t let you down,” Hiroki said. Makoto simply nodded and left.

She arrived on the roof a few minutes later. “Ah, welcome Makoto,” Morgana said. The others turned to notice and welcome her as well.

“Thanks,” Makoto said. “I was taking care of some student council business.”

“It’s OK Mako-chan,” Haru said.

“Yeah,” Ryuji added. “It’s not like we were leaving without you.”

“Well, I appreciate the gesture, Makoto said. “So, what’s the plan?”

“Haru’s tending to some of the plants,” Morgana explained. “And Yusuke’s helping.”

Makoto looked over and saw that this was true. “Really? Um, no offense, but I didn’t expect you to have a green thumb.”

“Well, Madarame had a small garden that we would help tend,” Yusuke explained. “But I’m more here for aesthetic composition. Whereas Miss Haru is taking care of the planting and care taking.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Haru said. “You’re a really good organizer, and you know your way around a planter’s box.”

“Well I’m just trying my best to assist,” Yusuke said.

“You’re doing a good job,” Haru said.

Makoto turned to Ann and Lena. “By the way, how did you find getting Yusuke, Jose, and Futaba here?”

“We had no trouble at all,” Ann said.

“Yeah, it seemed like no one really cared,” Lena said.

Makoto sighed. “I suspect that the teachers may have had other things on their mind.”

“I haven’t really been here before,” Jose said.

“How do you find it?” Lena asked.

Jose shrugged. “It’s a school.”

“Fair,” Lena replied.

Futaba was looking through her laptop. “Man, this Okumura press conference is getting a lot of attention. More so than any previous confession.”

“Well, that makes sense, right?” Ryuji said. “I mean, after the Medjed incident, we became superstars.”

“Besides, Okumura is one of the most well-known people in Japan,” Sumire added. “He even has influence outside the country.”

“Perhaps,” Futaba said. “But something about this feels a little…”

“What’s the coverage like?” Ren asked.

“It’s intense,” Futaba said. “Not only is it talking about Okumura's business practices, but also that he has other information.”

“Hmmm,” Ren replied. “Maybe because Okumura has a connection that the people with that connection may be intent on seeing it as well?”

“But why would they want more people to see it?” Futaba said. “It doesn’t make sense.”

“Hmmm,” Morgana pondered. “Well, we don’t know what they have planned, or how they operate. Perhaps they have something in the cards too.”

“If that’s the case, then we have to play the cards we’re dealt with,” Ren replied.

“I guess…” Futaba said. “I want to look into things further, but that’ll take some time, and we have a Destiny Land to go to!”

“I’m sure we can figure it out,” Morgana said. “We’re The Phantom Thieves after all.”

Sumire giggled. “You said it!”

“Alright, and now for the finishing touches,” Haru said. “Ta-da!” The others looked on to see dirt and boxes. “It’s not much yet, but it’ll grow in time.”

Ren looked at them and smiled. “Just like us.”

Ann chuckled. “Yeah.”

Haru nodded. “Thank you. Now then, shall we?”

“We shall!” Morgana cheered. The rest of them cheered, and then they headed out for Destiny Land.

Upon arrival, the Thieves were stunned to see the place so empty. “Woah!” Ryuji remarked.

“I know you said the whole park was renovated,” Makoto said, “but it’s still a little surreal to see it so empty.”

Haru giggled. “Well, I’ll admit it’s not as lively, but there is something magical about it just being us here.”

“You said it!” Futaba replied.

“Have you…been here before?” Yusuke asked. “I’m not sure if this is the kind of place you’d like, with all the crowds, and noise.”

“Well…” Futaba said, “I came here with my mom when I was young. I wasn’t as nervous around people, but I did get lost for like half an hour.”

“Well, it’d be hard to get lost now,” Ren said. “The park is practically empty.”

“Still, it is a big space, so maybe we should stick together,” Sumire suggested.

“Point taken,” Ren said.

“So, are the rides operational?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, this was supposed to be a dinner, so no,” Haru said. The thieves were a little disappointed whether they showed it or not. “However, the parade and fireworks show is still on! And we can still buy things from the gift shop!” Their faces lit up.

“FOR REAL?!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“Now all we need is for Yusuke to not rain on our parade,” Ann joked.

“If I could control the weather, I’d be in a much different place,” Yusuke said.

“Would you make it always sunny?” Lena asked.

“Nah, I bet he’d cause weather anomalies to get a good painting,” Futaba joked.

“Don’t reveal my secrets like that!” Yusuke protested.

“OoooooooK….” Futaba said.

“Let’s…just enjoy the festivities, alright?” Makoto suggested. They all nodded.

They decided on touring the park for a bit. Despite the inactive park rides, it was still a spectacle to look at and get some good photos. They stopped at the gift shop, and picked up some knick-knacks. Ann bought her and Ryuji some headgear, a bow with cat ears for Ann and some bear ears for Ryuji, while Futaba picked out some rabbit ears and top hat to wear, and Jose picked up a light blue sailor hat.

Eventually, they gathered for the dinner. “Man, this place is amazing!” Jose said.

“I think you’d like it more if you got a chance to ride the rides,” Makoto said.

“Although I suspect that if the rides were active, you’d spend more time not riding than riding,” Ren pointed out.

“It’s still nice,” Sumire said. “Something is better than nothing.”

“True,” Ren said. “As a thief, I should know that.” Sumire giggled.

“You know, it’s still a little surreal to have this place all to ourselves,” Ryuji said.

“I hardly find it worth complaining about,” Yusuke replied.

“I’m not complaining, but…” Ryuji retorted, “it’s just odd, you know? It’s not every day you go to a theme park, let alone one that’s empty.”

“You know you can get a yearly pass,” Haru said. “But they’re not quite cheap.”

“Coming from you that means a lot,” Ann said.

“Well, I could afford it,” Haru said. “But I do recognize it’s a bit of a luxury.”

“I don’t know if I’d want one,” Lena said. “I mean, going on rides is fun, but everyday?”

“Eh. It doesn’t have to be that,” Futaba said. “I follow some people online who have one, and some days they go just for the food.”

“Well, I can hardly blame them,” Yusuke said. “This is delicious!”

“I hope you’re alright Mona-chan,” Haru said. “This place doesn’t usually cater to kitty tummies.”

“I’m doing alright,” Morgana said. “While it is limiting in a sense, the food here is still very good.”

“Hm hm. I’m glad,” Haru said.

“Look, that parade’s starting!” Ann pointed out. Everyone turned to see the parade.

“Woah!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“They sure know how to put on a show,” Makoto remarked.

“No fooling,” Lena said. “Maybe I can take some notes. They’re so confident and they have to do this every day!”

“I assume they have a rotating cast,” Yusuke said. “But I do agree that this is a marvelous show.”

“Woah!” Futaba remarked. “It’s just like I remember it as a kid!”

“I know, right?!” Ann said. “You know, this place makes me feel like a kid again!”

“I know what you mean,” Sumire said. “It has some kind of magic to it.”

“Woah!” Jose said in awe. “So many moving parts. How fascinating.”

“I’m not sure I get it,” Morgana said, “but I enjoy it.”

“I guess it’s more suited to those who are a little more familiar with what this park represents,” Ren said. “You know, my mom would be so jealous right now. She ADORES this kind of thing.”

“You like it too,” Sumire said.

Ren chuckled. “What can I say? I’m my mother’s daughter.”

Haru giggled. “I’m sure the staff like all this.” Everyone gave Haru a confused look. “It’s just, the people who were supposed to be here were mostly business people, and they might not focus on the show like you guys are. So they’ll like that their effort isn’t going to waste.”

“Well, when you put it like that,” Futaba said. “WOOOOOO!”

“WOOOOOOOO!” Ryuji joined in.

“WOOOOOOO!” Ann added. It was a little awkward, but the staff liked the cheers.

After the parade wrapped up, the fireworks show began. “Oooooooooo!” the thieves said.

“What a beautiful display,” Yusuke said.

“‘But not as beautiful as you’,” Futaba said in a deep voice. “That’s what guys would say to a girl they liked in a situation like this, right?”

“Well, maybe in a romance novel,” Lena said. “But it would be a nice compliment.”

“Oh, uh, Ann, those fireworks are not as pretty as you,” Ryuji stumbled.

Ann giggled. “I get what you were trying, but you don’t have to do that. We’re beyond that point, right?”

“Uh, right,” Ryuji said. “Yeah…” After a slight pause, they kissed.

As Ren was watching, she remarked “You know, these fireworks are pretty amazing though.”

“Mmhm,” Sumire said.

Ren turned to Sumire. “It is hard to compare though,” she said. Sumire was slightly confused. “A fireworks show like this is a rare opportunity, one which I’ll treasure for a lifetime. But I see you everyday, and I treasure that opportunity as well.”

Sumire giggled. “Oh you.” They also shared a kiss.

Haru giggled as well. “Tonight’s really something else, huh.”

“You said it,” Jose said. “A celebration like this to cap off our latest heist. Plus with your father confessing, we’ll be this much closer to everything.”

“When is that happening?” Makoto wondered.

“Oh, uh, I think it’s about to start,” Haru said. The thieves froze before scrambling to get their phones to watch the livestream.

It was a little hectic, but they all managed to tune in just as the conference was starting. “Lemme see!” Morgan demanded. Ren lowered her shoulder so Morgana could hop on.

Kunikazu was standing before the press. “Thank you all for coming. I wish to address some rumors.” He sighed. “It is true that I have been running my company with an iron fist. I have been overworking and underpaying my employees for my own personal gain. I’ve violated the rules where I could to get ahead, and have intimidated other businesses in order to become the best. I cultivated a dangerous work environment in order to try and fill a void in my heart. But alas, that could never be filled. I learned that too late.” He bowered. “I sincerely regret my actions.”

“He’s taking things very well, all things considered,” Morgana said.

“I think he still wants to be professional,” Ann said.

“Or maybe he wants to be professional once before, well…” Ren said.

He continued answering questions about the conditions of his workers, his business dealings, and various other things earnestly. One reporter then asked “There has been a suspected link between you and some of the mental shutdown cases: Is that a coincidence?”

“Here it comes!” Ryuji said.

“Allow me to address that,” Kunikazu said. “I am indeed responsible for those attacks.” The crowd gasped. “However, I did not act alone. I didn’t commit the acts themselves. I hired someone else to do it for me. But only some of them. This was not a service limited to me, but one controlled by a very powerful person.” The crowd grew more on edge. “That man is…Hiroto Ono, the head of the Special Investigations Unit!”

The crowd was stunned. “Well, you heard it here first,” a reporter said. “Kunikazu Okumura has just claimed that Hiroto Ono, the head of the SIU, is responsible for these mental shutdowns.” They showed his picture on the screen.

Haru went pale. Jose noticed. “Are you OK Haru?” he asked.

“That…that was him…” Haru said. “That was the man that came over to deliver that cake.”

“FOR REAL?!” Ryuji shouted.

Haru nodded.

Makoto sighed. “Well…that’s very complicated then. He’s my sister’s boss.”

“Well, we have a name right?” Ann said. “We can at least see if he has a palace.”

Ren nodded. She went to the Metaverse app and said “Hiroto Ono.”

“Location subsumed by another palace,” he phone responded.

“WHAT?!” Morgana shrieked.

“Perhaps this has something to do with the strange reading on your principal,” Yusuke suggested.

“Yeah, but then where does that leave us?!” Futaba said. “In case you forgot, we were trying to get closer to who’s behind it and if this guy is hiding behind someone else, we’re back to square one!”

“Not necessarily,” Ren said. Everyone was shocked. Ren looked at Makoto and nodded.

Makoto sighed deeply. “There…may be a way to get what we want still.”

“How do you figure?” Yusuke asked.

Makoto averted her gaze. “A little while ago, I found out my sister…has a palace.”

Everyone was shocked. “Why didn’t you tell us?” Ann asked.

“Well…I went to scout it,” Makoto said. “And then Eris appeared, saying we weren’t ready for it,” Makoto said. “I talked with Ren about it, and as much as I wanted to save my sister, I wanted to wait for the best opportunity. I don’t want to fail at this, so I held onto that information.”

“I get it,” Futaba said. “It was like how Sojiro brought you all in when I was corrupted by Eris.”

“Yeh,” Makoto replied. “I was scared. I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing to apologize for,” Lena said. “You did the right thing.”

Makoto was stunned. “But I-”

“She’s right,” Sumire said. “It wouldn't be good for anyone to act rashly in a situation like this.”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks…”

“So, your sister’s boss is connected to this mental shutdown business, and you think that by stealing your sister’s treasure, we might get closer to this side of the investigation,” Jose surmised. “Is that your thinking?”

“That’s right,” Makoto said. “My sister is working on that case, as well as the Phantom Thieves case. So we just have to get her onside by hook or by crook.”

“It won’t be easy,” Yusuke said.

“I’m sure she knows,” Haru said. “I mean, it was difficult to do this with my father, but I’m sure she knows it’s worth doing.”

Makoto smirked. “Couldn’t have said it better myself.”

“Well, whatever the case, we need to be prepared,” Ren said. “Despite all of this, Eris is still out there, and she probably won’t make this easier for us.”

“Right…Eris…” Makoto said.

“You know anyone with a grudge against your sister?” Futaba asked. “I could probably figure out who it might be.”

“I doubt it,” Makoto said. “Unless you can figure things out between hundreds of prisoners and their families. Not to mention jealous coworkers.”

“Oh, yikes,” Futaba said.

“They usually have a more personal connection, don’t they?” Jose pointed out.

“True…” Makoto said. “But this is Eris we’re talking about. She could change the rules on us.”

“Truth be told, I don’t know what figuring this out would achieve,” Morgana said “I mean, it’s not like we can warn them without looking crazy and tipping our hand.”

“I guess that’s true,” Ryuji said. “But at the end of the day, we’ll take them down just like everyone else!”

Makoto nodded. “You’re right.”

Ren smirked. “Well gang, from here on out, we’re going to be walking a difficult path. We’re inching towards the person responsible for the mental shutdowns, and we’re not taking the direct approach on this either. If anyone wants to back out, now’s the time.”

“Are you crazy?!” Ann said. “After everything, you’d think I’d back out now?!”

“Yeah!” Ryuji shouted. “I’m here to finish this race. I'm not gonna half-ass this!”

“You really think I’ve paid you back for setting me free from Madarame?” Yusuke said. “You set me free, and I’m continuing this fight.”

“I’m not through either!” Lena said. “I’m here until the end, whatever that may be! I missed out so much by letting myself wallow. I’m not gonna do that again!”

“You’ve taught me so much,” Haru said. “There’s no way I’ll let that go to waste.”

“I’m still in too,” Jose said. “I want to see how remarkable humans can get.”

“My sister’s life is on the line,” Makoto said. “Don’t think for a second I’d drop out!”

“The person at the top is responsible for taking my mother’s life," Futaba said. “I’m in it for the long haul too!”

Ren looked down at Morgana. “You know I’ll always be by your side, right?”

Sumre took Ren’s hand. She looked at her. “I’ll always be by your side too!” Sumire chimed in.

Ren smiled. “Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you. … Thank you, everyone.”

Fool-The Phantom Thieves: Rank 8

They finished their meals, and headed out of the theme park. And even though they were leaving Destiny Land, they were heading toward their own destinies.

Notes:

And with that, the Okumura arc has come to a close. I used this chapter to focus on the Phantom Thief reaction to all of this, but I promise the reacting of the other players in this drama will get highlighted. But that may not be fore a bit. This is a tall order, so I may need to spend some time cooking things up on this, but hopefully it'll be something special. The Sae arc is going to be a lot, and need some time to prepare, so just be patient. But I can't want until you see what comes next, because as this chapter's title alludes to, this wasn't the Last Surprise. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 172: The Other Side

Notes:

I decided to add an index because why not. I think it's fun. Anyway, I love this chapter, and you should read it. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

After Okumura’s press conference, SIU Director Ono was on the phone. “WHAT HAPPENED?!” shouted the voice on the other end. “You gave him the formula, correct?!”

“Of course sir,” Director Ono. “I gave him the cake with the formula in it. He should have had a mental shutdown. I don’t know what happened.”

“Grrrrrrr,” the other person hissed.

“However, we aren’t done yet,” Ono said. “After all, chess is only won when the king is taken, and I am not the king.”

“True…” the voice on the other end replied.

“We just have to keep them off your trail,” Ono continued.

“And how do you propose we do that?” the other voice asked.

Ono chuckled. “Well, we just need to lead Miss Niijima down the wrong path.”

“How?” the other voice said. “As much as I detest her meddling, I have to admit she’s pretty cunning.”

There was a knock at the director's door. “OPEN THE DOOR SIR!” Sae shouted.

“Unfortunately, this conversation needs to continue with a surrogate serving as my lawyer,” director Ono said. “Although I assume you have some thoughts already.”

“Of course, but I’d prefer we have our stories straight,” the other voice said.

“Very well,” Ono said. “The lawyer and I will have this settled by morning. ” He hung up. “Come in!”

Sae barged in. “YOU’RE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE MENTAL SHUTDOWNS?!”

“Now, who said I was?” Ono retorted.

Sae was shocked at her boss’ indignant response. Still, she persevered. “Okumura did! On live TV!”

“Oh right. That,” director Ono said, more annoyed than displeased.

“I DEMAND ANSWERS!” Sae shouted.

“Unfortunately, I don’t have the time right now,” Ono replied. “I’m going to turn myself in.”

“Wha?” Sae said.

“Now now, you may question me in jail,” Ono said, “but first I need to talk with my lawyer.”

Sae glared at him. “You can represent yourself just fine.”

“Perhaps,” Ono said. “But in a situation like this, having another party is beneficial. Besides, I doubt people would believe I’m innocent if I decide to represent myself.”

“You claim to not be guilty?!” Sae said.

“Of course,” Ono said. “Innocent until proven guilty.” Sae scowled. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to head down to the station. I believe they’re expecting me.” Director Ono walked out of his office, leaving Sae standing alone.

He walked down to the station, turned himself in, and then made a phone call. “Hello sir?”

“They’re on their way,” the voice on the other end said.

“Thank you,” Ono said. He hung up, and waited patiently in his cell until his lawyer arrived.

Once director Ono was face to face with his lawyer, his lawyer said “It seems we have much to discuss.”

“We do,” Ono replied. “Why don’t we begin with how to deal with Miss Niijima?” Ono and his lawyer began their discussion.

Meanwhile, Sae walked back to her office in defeat. Riko looked at her, worried. “Are…are you alright?” she asked.

Sae let out a long sigh. “The director is turning himself in.”

“That's a good thing, right?” Riko asked.

“I’m not sure,” Sae answered.

“How do you mean?” Riko inquired.

Sae pondered a bit. “He didn’t seem all too bothered that he was implicated in one of the biggest cases in this nation’s history. I think he's planning something.”

“But what could it be?” Riko wondered.

“I don’t know,” Sae said. “But as long as I am on the case, I WILL get to the bottom of it!”

“Of course,” Riko said. “Do you want to stay longer? Or maybe get a bite to eat?”

Sae looked at Riko. “I guess getting something to eat wouldn’t be so bad. But I don’t know what I’m in the mood for.”

“I know what always cheers me up,” Riko said.

“Of course,” Sae said. “Lead the way.” The two women left the office to get a later dinner.

Meanwhile, Akechi was watching the press conference and was stunned. “Huh. I’m guessing that that wasn’t intentional.” He smirked. “Still, you can’t look a gift horse in the mouth.” He got out his phone and made a call. “Hello?”

“Make this brief,” the voice said.

“I take it you’re busy trying to get a handle on the situation,” Akechi said. “Very well, I’ll be brief like you asked. I’m thinking of publicly investigating the director. After all, it would be suspicious if I seem to know more about what’s going on than I should.”

“Very well,” the voice said. “We do need a public face like yours once things settle down.”

“I appreciate your kindness,” Akechi replied.

“Pretty soon, all of Japan will,” the voice said.

“Of course,” Akechi said. “Good luck.” He hung up. He began laughing. “On the one hand, things are more complicated, but on the other hand I get to speak a little more freely about the company that that piece of human garbage keeps. Silver linings, I guess.”

The next morning, Sae arrived at her office to see a group of officers waiting for her. “What's going on?” She asked.

One of the officers presented their badge. “You’re Sae Niijima, correct? You’re in charge of the mental shutdown case?”

“Correct,” she replied, uncertain of what was happening.

“And you know that your boss was implicated in that case?”

“Of course,” Sae said. “What is going on?”

“Unfortunately, we need to freeze your investigation for a bit to go over the evidence,” the officer said.

“WHAT?!” Sae said, getting angry.

“Now now,” the officer said. “We just need to make sure he didn’t tamper with the investigation in any way.”

“This is RIDICULOUS!” Sae protested.

“No ma’am, it’s protocol,” the officer responded.

Sae seethed for a moment, before shouting “FINE!” She marched in her office. A little bit later, she came out with a bucket of papers and harddrives. “This is EVERYTHING I have. Are you happy?”

“Thank you,” the officer said.

“Good,” Sae huffed. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have work to do.”

“Um, I told you your investigation is frozen, right?” the officer said.

“I have other cases!” Sae protected.

“Such as…?”

“Fraud, embezzlement, and if you don’t leave in the next five seconds, obstruction!” Sae answered.

“Yes ma’am, the officer said. “Let’s go.” The officers nodded, and headed off.

Riko arrived just as they were leaving. “Is everything alright?” she asked.

“No,” Sae said. “Just…leave me be for now. I have cases I have to work on.”

Riko was hesitant. “Very well.” She closed the door, and sat down at her desk.

Meanwhile, inside of a house, director Ono was on the phone again. “I see…Well, Niijima is nothing if not diligent. It’s a shame we couldn’t get her out of the office for a few days, but no matter, we’re still ahead in this game. I have my bail posted, and once we’re done stringing her along, we’ll give her what she wants…Along with a special surprise, of course…Of course, we just have to make everyone focus on this battle, while obfuscating the rest of the war. Win or lose, the King will remain unscathed…Well thank you. It will be glorious…goodbye.” He hung up. He sighed, content. He picked up a book and started reading it. He chuckled. “I’ve been meaning to read this for a while. Sometimes, the strangest opportunities give you the time you need to do what you’ve always wanted.”

At work, Sae was listless. She had been working on her other cases, but she couldn’t help but think of what was going on. Finally, she’d had enough. “GAH!” she screamed, slamming her desk. “I HATE THIS!” She stood up and flung her chair away.

Riko cautiously opened the door. “Um, do you…um…?”

Sae looked at Riko. At first it was a glare, but the more she looked at Riko, the more it calmed down. After all, this wasn’t her fault. She sighed. “I guess I could use a break…”

“How about sushi?” Riko offered.

Sae smiled. “I’d like that.” They left the office to grab some sushi.

As they were eating, Sae was surprised. “Wow, for this price, this sushi cannot be beat!”

“Hm hm,” Riko chuckled. “I know it’s not better than some of the more expensive places, but you do get a real good bang for your buck.”

Sae smiled. She took another bite. She then pouted. “Say… What do you do when you don’t know what to do?”

Riko looked up at her. “You wanna know what I do?”

Sae was stunned, but pleasantly surprised by Riko’s answer. “Sure.”

“Close your eyes,” Riko instructed.

Sae did so. “OK.”

“Now, imagine yourself looking in a mirror,” Riko continued.

“Alright,” Sae said, as she began imagining it.

“But this is a special mirror,” Riko said. “This mirror doesn’t show you as you are, but how you see yourself. Now tell me, what do you see?”

Sae began focusing on the mirror. The image of herself as is didn’t change so much. But the scenery changed drastically. “I’m…outside of the office…taking questions from reporters.”

“Ms. Niijima, how did you do it?”

“They’re calling this ‘the crime of the century’, and they’re saying you solved it.”

“I’m…a hero…And after that…I’m the director of the SIU…I’ve made several changes, and influenced policy…”

“How are you influencing it?” Riko asked.

“Well, that’s easy…” Sae replied. “I talk with the new Prime Minister often...”

“Hey sis,” Makoto said.

“Prime Minister,” imaginary Sae replies.

“Stop! You don’t need to do that, you know,” Makoto said, slightly embarrassed.

“Your sister…I see…” Riko replied.

“And then..” Sae continued. “...I’m touring the country…giving speeches…inspiring others to be the best that they can be…becoming a figure for young women to look up to for decades to come.”

“Well that sounds wonderful,” Riko said. “Now, I need you to tell yourself that that is you.”

Sae was puzzled. “Why?”

“Are you questioning me?” Riko asked.

“No, no,” Sae replied. “Alright. That…is me…” Sae was then overcome by a feeling of elation.

"Hm hm, see?” Riko said. “No matter what, the you you aspire to be is always with you.” Riko took Sae’s hand. “And so am I.”

Sae smiled. “Well thank you.”

“Hm hm, you can open your eyes now silly,” Riko said.

“Huh,” Said said, opening her eyes. “Right.” They shared a giggle together. “Let’s finish this sushi OK?”

“OK,” Riko said. They started eating.

Sae took another look at Riko. “Thanks.”

Riko swallowed the sushi she was eating. “You’re welcome.” They finished eating, and headed back to work.

Later in the evening, Akechi was over at the Minamoto residence. He was sipping some tea. “Ah! Your tea is magnificent as always, Tamako,” he said.

“Why thank you,” Tamako replied. “If I’d have known you were coming over, I would have saved you some dinner.”

“That’s quite alright,” Akechi said. “Not that I don’t enjoy it, but I’m not here for long.”

“Places to go, and criminals to arrest?” Lena joked.

“Well, I mean…” Akechi said, somewhat flustered. “That’s not entirely untrue.” Lena giggled. “However,” Lena noticed his more serious tone, “it’s a lot more than that. As you may be aware, Mr. Okumura’ got a visit from the Phantom Thieves. And during his confession, he made a bold statement on the ongoing endemic of mental shutdowns. And the person he named is…a very big name to say the least.”

“Right…” Lena said. “I saw the conference.”

“I thought you were out with friends?” Tamako said.

“Well, we still watched it,” Lena countered. “I mean, it’s pretty big news.”

“I suppose,” Tamako relented. “But maybe you should focus on having fun.”

“We did,” Lena said. “I even brought you back some stuff.”

“And I appreciate it,” Tamako said.

“Anyways…” Akechi interjected. The Minamoto women shared a small giggle before returning their attention to Akechi. “Because of all of this, things are going to get complicated. So I’ve just come here to explain that…I might be less…available…”

“Oh,” Lena said, somewhat disappointed.

“However,” Akechi continued, taking Lena by the hand. “I want you to know that you are always at the forefront of my mind. And that no matter what happens…I love you.”

Lena’s face turned beat red. “Eh, uh, wha…” she said in a stupor.

Akechi chuckled. “That said, things have freed up on my end in a different area, but with everything going on now, it won’t be enough to make up the difference.”

“You know,” Tamako interjected, “you could just leave this to the authorities. I know you’re a smart cookie, and, well, I don’t entirely trust the authorities, but…”

Lena shook her head. “That’s not who Goro is. He seeks justice, no matter what it takes. It’s part of the reason…I love him.” Tamako was surprised.

Akechi was blushing now. He then laughed. “Right. You understand me. Of course you do.” Lena smiled. “However, I have been keeping a secret from you.” Lena was stunned. “And with what’s coming next being so up in the air, I feel like I can’t keep it from you anymore. You need to know.” He took out a picture and handed it to Lena.

Lena, heart beating a mile a minute, looked at the picture. She was confused. The picture was that of an ordinary young girl, no more than eight, wearing a pink dress and sporting a yellow bow in their hair. “Who is this, and why do you have their picture?”

Akechi smiled. “That’s me.” He took a sip of his tea. Lena was confused. Once Akechi finished sipping his tea, he concluded “I am trans.”

Lena looked at Akechi and the picture again in disbelief. “Huh…”

“Are you perhaps disappointed?” Akechi asked.

Lena collected herself. “No, just surprised. I…didn’t know.”

“Well, I’ve been careful not to tell many people,” Akechi said. “In fact, I believe one of the few people that knows is you, right Tamako.”

Lena turned to her host mom. “You knew?”

“I was the first one he told,” Tamako said.

“She was really helpful in changing my records, and setting me up with some of the things necessary for me to begin transitioning,” Akechi explained.

“I see…” Lena replied.

Akechi stood up. “Well, this has been nice.” He walked to the door. “See you later.”

Before he could open it, Lena shouted “Goro wait!” Akechi looked back at her. “Um, well, uh, you see, I know you’re busy and stuff, but if you don’t mind putting things off, well, some of my other friends and I are going to watch another friend of ours at a gymnastics meet tomorrow. So, do you want to come with?”

Akechi was a little stunned, but smiled. “Very well. I suppose if it’s tomorrow, I can make it. Besides, I wouldn't want to miss a chance to spend time with you.”

Lena smiled. She walked up to him and said “Thanks.” She gave him a kiss, and then put her head on his chest. “You’re the man of my dreams.”

Akechi smiled back. “And you, the woman of mine.” He hugged her gently. Slowly, they loosened their embrace, and Akechi headed back home for the night.

Meanwhile, Sae arrived home. As she entered, Makoto asked “How was your day?”

Sae thought back on tre frustration of her being sidelined, but then thought about the lunch she had with Riko. “It was fine.”

“Glad to hear that,” Makoto said.

Sae sat down. “It was stressful at first, but I just needed to recenter myself.”

“I know what you mean,” Makoto said. “Sometimes you just get lost in your own head and have to start again.”

“Of course,” Sae said. The Niijimas enjoyed a nice dinner, and then they headed to their rooms.

Into the night, Sae was dreaming of the mirror trick Riko had taught her. Every passing moment made her more and more happy. She reached out to the mirror, only to notice that the hand she was reaching out with was covered in a black glove. “Huh?!” She said. The Mirror switched over from Sae’s ideal self to a reflection of something she wasn’t quite sure of.

It was Sae alright, but she was dressed in a skimpy black dress with a set of fishnet stockings and matching corset that, were it not for the dress, you could see everything. At the top of the dress was a black choker with spikes on it. She had a black hat adorned with gold roses and playing cards, and her face was heavily made-up. She had tattoos on her arm, and as she turned, she noticed that she had tattoos on her back, which the dress did not cover. She grew concerned. She looked around and saw that she was in a casino that looked malicious in nature. “What’s going on?" she demanded.

Sae woke up in a sweat. She was breathing heavily. “You OK honey?” Riko said.

Sae looked at Riko, who was in bed next to her. “Just a bad dream.”

Riko put her hand on Sae’s face. “It’ll be OK. Just go back to sleep.”

“Aright,” Sae said. They shared a kiss, and fell back asleep.

Sae woke up for real this time, pale as a ghost. “Wha…?” She looked next to her. She was alone. She flopped back down. “...Probably too much sushi…” she rationalized. “...Yeah…” It took a few minutes, but she went back to sleep.

Notes:

I wasn't initially going to jump into doing this this soon, but I couldn't help myself. I am glad I wrote this chapter up because it is a lot, and we get the big moments of what happens on The Other Side after the Okumura confession (hence the name of the chapter), and we start to see the heart of the next arc come in full force.

To be honest, this was somewhat jumbled. I didn't have the clearest idea of what to do, but in writing it I figured it out. Originally we were going to see what Ren was getting up to Wednesday, but I feel like that should be its own chapter, maybe mixed in with the gymnastics show. I feel like panning away from Ren for a bit was the right choice given that everything in this chapter is so interconnected.

My heart is POUNDING. This chapter I feel is so amazing. I can hardly believe I wrote it. I love it. And I hope you do too. Enjoy.

Chapter 173: The Ties That Bind

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Wednesday morning, as Ren was eating breakfast, she got a text. She gave it a glance.

Futaba: Hey.

Futaba: While we’re waiting on how to proceed, I have my uncle’s name on the ready.

Futaba: I think we can go down into Mementos, change his heart, prevent him from making the call to child services, and ease Sojiro’s troubles.

Ren: OK.

Ren: Shouldn’t this be in the group chat though?

Futaba: NO!

Futaba: Sorry…

Futaba: I’d…rather not involve the others if that’s OK with you.

Ren:  I mean, they know about him.

Futaba: I know, but…they haven't met him.

Futaba: And I don’t want them to.

Ren: I guess that makes sense.

Ren: Regardless, all of us will be there for you.

Futaba: Yeah…

Futaba: I just wanna keep this in the family, you know.

Ren: Say no more.

Ren: We’ll go.

Ren smiled at being a part of this family. She loved her birth parents and birth sister, but being a part of this family as well felt special.

Later, on her way to school, Ren’s phone went off again. It was the group chat though.

Haru: Um, something strange happened.

Jose: What is it?

Haru: Some investigators came over to my place.

Yusuke: That doesn’t sound strange.

Haru: Yes. However, they told me that the investigation into the mental shutdowns was being put on hold for a little bit.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Haru: They explained that it’s because the suspect is the SIU director, and he may have tampered with the evidence.

Haru: So they need to look over to make sure everything is alright.

Ann: Well, that makes sense.

Makoto: Sis isn’t going to like that though.

Futaba: It might be a good idea to keep an eye on her.

Futaba: Maybe we’ll figure out when Eris will target someone to target her.

Makoto: Well, I’ll try when I can, but she’s fiercely independent.

Lena: I know she and Akechi work together sometimes. Perhaps he can look into things?

Ren: That might tip our hand though.

Lena: Right…

Sumire: Perhaps you can ask one of her coworkers to assist?

Sumire: I mean, I don’t think it would be strange on that front. They deal with what your sister deals with, so they’ll just think it’s a part of the process.

Makoto: That’s actually a great idea, Sumire.

Sumire: Thanks.

Jose: So, why did those investigators tell you tha Haru?

Haru: Oh, um well, they didn’t want me to leave the country before they got a chance to interview me.

Haru: They even asked that I should stay in the city if possible.

Ryuji: Is…you going someone else a possibility?

Haru: Well, in theory, yes.

Haru: We have a handful of vacation houses.

Haru: Well, I guess I do now.

Haru: I’m just not used to it being just me yet.

Ren: Well, you know we’re always here for you.

Haru: Thank you!

Haru: Oh! And I did ask if I could freely travel the city because I didn’t want to miss your gymnastics performance Sumire.

Sumire: Aww, thank you.

Ren: I’m looking forward to it too.

Sumire: Of course. It’s going to be great!

Ren put her phone away.

Meanwhile, Makoto arrived at school. Before she entered the gate, she gave her sister’s office a call.

Riko had just seen Sae’s files taken away from her, but was professional enough to not let that frustration get to her. She answered “Special Investigations Unit, Sae Niijima’s office, Riko Sakurai speaking.”

“Uh, hi,” Makoto replied back. “This is going to be a little awkward, but I’m her sister.”

“Oh Makoto,” Riko said. “Sae told me so much about you, Riko said.

“She…she did?” Makoto said, worried.

“Mm-hm,” Riko answered. “She’s so proud of you.”

“She is?” Makoto said.

“Of course,” Riko said.

“Well…thanks…” Makoto said.

“Don’t mention it,” Riko replied. “Now, is there a reason you called?”

“Oh right,” Makoto said, jolting back to the reason he called. “I imagine that after last night’s events, she’s not in a great mood.”

“Talk about an understatement,” Riko said.

Makoto giggled slightly. “I’m just a little concerned about her, so if you can keep a close eye on her for me. Just, you know, make sure she doesn’t…”

“Say no more,” Riko said. “I understand.”

Makoto sighed. “Thank you. Oh! And don’t mention that I called. She’d absolutely flip if she knew.”

“I had the feeling,” Riko said. “Thank you.”

“Thank you,” Makoto replied. They hung up. "She seems nice." Makoto headed into school.

After school, Ren headed back to Yongen-Jaya. Before even entering Leblanc, she saw Futaba squatting down right beside it. When Futaba saw Ren, she stood up. “Are you ready?”

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Ren replied.

“Good enough for me,” Futaba said. “His name is Youji Isshiki. I already messaged him anonymously, using the method I used to message you when I was trying to solicit your help.”

“I see…” Ren said.

“Well, if it’s just you two, I think I’ll wander the streets a bit,” Morgana said. “See what I can find out.”

Ren rolled her eyes. “You’re coming too Morgana.”

“Huh?” Morgana replied.

“You’re also part of the family,” Futaba said.

“Plus, we couldn’t get too far in Mementos without you,” Ren said.

“Heh,” Morgana chuckled. “My expertise is boundless.”

“I meant we’d be without a car,” Ren explained.

“Oh,” Morgana said.

“Plus your expertise as well,” Futaba assured him. “I don’t imagine he’s gonna be easy to take on.”

“We still can call the others, you know,” Morgana suggested.

“Don’t wanna,” Futaba retorted.

Morgana sighed. “Very well. Let’s head out!” The three nodded, and they went down to Mementos.

A little later, they were face to face with Futaba’s uncle. “So YOU’RE the punks that tried scaring me.”

“Uh, no offense, but I think we succeeded,” Morgana said. “You are here after all.”

“SILENCE!” Youji shouted. “Hm. I’ve got a good thing going. I just need more money! But everyone’s so stingy!”

“Perhaps because you intimidate them,” Ren offered.

“Or you’re just not trustworthy,” Futaba added.

“What do you think I’m trying to do?!” Youji snapped. “You don’t get it! You haven’t gone through what I went through!”

Futaba went a little pale. “...Joker, I think we’re done talking,” she said. Ren nodded, and she and Morgana pointed their weapons at him.

“Hm,” Youji grunted. He morphed into Girimekhala. They began engaging in combat. Even with Futaba’s knowledge, it was still a difficult battle with only Ren and Morgana. But still, they managed to win in the end.

Once Youji morphed back, he looked sad. “Sis…why did you die?” The three Phantom Thieves were curious. “She was always the smart one. The good one. I was just the screw-up. And now she’s gone, and I don’t have anything. My parents are perpetually disappointed, my cousins avoid me, hell, even my own niece is afraid of me… I…I try to get my shit together, but I can never seem to do so…”

Futaba looked at him intently. This was the first time she’d seen a human side to him. She walked in front of Ren and Morgana. “Hey!” Youji looked up. “You wanna know how you fix things?! Small steps. You can’t become successful overnight. I’m learning this, and you need to know too. If you come off too strong, you’ll only alienate people. Start small and grow!”

“Hm,” Youji chuckled. “Heh heh. That just might be it. Heh heh. You know, you kind of remind me of her. My sister.” Futaba was stunned. “Well, here goes nothin’.” Youji faded. Ren quickly grabbed the treasure while Futaba was still stunned.

“You alright Oracle?” Morgana asked looking up.

“Huh? Oh yeah…” Futaba answered.

Ren looked at her, and nodded. “Let’s go then.” The others nodded, and they headed out of Mementos.

As they were walking bak, Ren noticed Futaba’s unease. “Is there something you wanna talk about?”

“Huh?” Futaba said, looking up at Ren. “Well, um, hm…”

Ren giggled. “It’s fine, we don’t have to talk now.”

“No, I think I should,” Futaba said. “I mean, I talked to my uncle about changing. How can I run away when we have the same goal?”

“I see,” Ren said.

“I mean…” Futaba said. “I guess he wasn’t always too bad,” Futaba explained. “He…wasn’t great, but…I guess mom’s death affected him too.”

“It’s hard to imagine it wouldn’t,” Ren explained.

“And it’s not that I hate him entirely,” Futaba said. “Entirely... I just don’t think he’s cut out for watching over me.”

“What about your grandparents?” Ren asked.

“They have no interest,” Futaba said. “They kind of look at me with disdain. Probably because I happened without my mom getting married.”

“Oh boy,” Ren said, stunned.

“But Sojiro…Sojiro is different,” Futaba explained. “He takes care of me as easy as breathing. He reminds me a lot of mom in a lot of ways. I guess that’s why they got along so well.” Ren smiled. “But until recently, I’ve been so consumed with my own feelings that…I couldn’t pay him back.”

Ren looked over Futaba. “You know how to pay him back?” Futaba looked at her, curious. “Grow. Change. Become the woman you always want to be. Show Sojiro that you are doing well.”

Futaba grew determined. “You know what? You’re right! I can’t let Sojiro and my uncle do all the work. I have to change too!”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren cheered.

Futaba giggled. “You know, as helpful as Sojiro is, it’s nice having you around.”

Ren nodded. “Likewise.”

Hermit-Futaba Sakura: Rank 3

As they continued walking, they got an alert on their phone.

Lena: Hey!

Lena: Um, I invited Goro to your gymnastics meet tomorrow, Sumire.

Lena: I hope that’s alright.

Sumire: It’s fine. Akechi can come. The more, the merrier, right?

Lena: Right.

Lena; It’s just, with everything the way it is, I think he needs a chance to relax.

Makoto: I can relate.

Lena: I hope you don’t mind.

Ren: We just need to keep some of our Phantom Thief stuff on the downlow. But we don’t really talk about it during this, so I think we should be fine.

Futaba: It’d be nice to get a chance to meet the legend himself.

Lena: He’s just a normal person like you or me.

Futaba: Right…

Yusuke: I hope we can find enough seats.

Haru: I could take you to the balcony.

Haru: It’s roomy enough.

Jose: That’d be neat.

Jose: Thanks Haru.

Haru: You’re welcome.

Sumire: I can’t wait for tomorrow.

Sumire: With all of you cheering for me, I feel like I’m going to do well.

Ren: Of course you will. You’re Sumire Yoshizawa.

Sumire: Oh you.

They put their phones away, and continued onward.

Soon, they got back to Leblanc. They saw Sojiro on the phone. “Uh huh…I see…very well…Thank you.” He hung up.

“Who was that?” Futaba asked.

Sojiro sighed. “That was child services,” Sojiro explained. “Apparently your uncle made good on his threat.”

Futaba whispered. “Oh no. We were too late…” She pouted.

Sojiro smiled. “It’ll be fine.”

Futaba looked at him, confused. “How can you be so sure?”

“It’s like I told your uncle,” Sojiro said, “I have the truth on my side.”

“Right…” Futaba said, still a little unsure.

Sojiro noticed her unease and approached her. “Futaba… I made a promise to your mother to protect you. And I’m going to do just that.”

Futaba started crying. *sniff. “Thank you Sojiro.” She rushed into him. “I promise I’ll make it up to you someday!”

Sojiro was surprised, but gave Futaba a hug. “Trust me, you’ve done more for me than you can even begin to imagine.”

Futaba looked up. “Really?”

Sojiro grinned. “Really really.” Futaba chuckled. Sojiro let go. “Now, as long as you’re here, you want me to make dinner? For the three of us?”

“Hey!” Morgana shouted, jolting out from Ren’s bag.

“Hm hm, sorry, the FOUR of us,” Sojiro said.

“Nyeh heh heh,” Morgana chuckled.

Futaba also chuckled. “I’d like that.”

“Me too,” Ren said. “Mind if I help?”

“Of course,” Sojiro said. “You’re a part of this family too.” Ren’s smile grew, and she and Sojiro cooked up a meal for the four of them. It was a perfect family meal, for a perfect, if unconventional family.

Notes:

I think some people might have some questions about my characterization of Futaba's uncle, so let me explain: First of all, I don't remember exactly how it played out in the game, but I know Futaba would rather be with Sojiro, which is the important part. I did my best to highlight that, but I may have made Futaba's uncle a little more sympathetic in the process. Which brings me to point number 2, which is that's just the kind of person I am. I rarely think that a person is inherently evil, and I try to exemplify that in my work. Futaba's uncle is still not a great person, and he's got a long way to go before he's...better, but I think it works. Lastly, I think it fits with Futaba's growth. Something I've said time and time again is adapting this into a more structured narrative allows me to deliver moments like this in ways the game can't, and this situation presented the opportunity to develop Futaba a little more.

Anyways, next chapter is going to be something. Obviously, it'll have Sumire's gymnastics meet, but there's more. I've remarked when the Okumura arc began that things are going to get a little more plot heavy, and needless to say that's not going to change. I'm just wondering if I'm striking a good balance. The confidant chapters are important, but they might not be as in depth as the plot stuff, which may make it easier to neglect, even unintentionally so. I don't think I'm going to do that, but striking a good balance is tricky.

Well, that's enough from me. Enjoy!

Chapter 174: Tidal Wave

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Thursday morning, Sae was making her way to the office. She kept thinking about the dream she had the previous night. What was with that casino? She thought to herself. Why was I dressed like that? Why did it feel…spiteful? She then thought about the scene that followed. And why did I imagine myself and RIko…like that…? She sighed. “It’s just a dream.”

When she got to her office, she saw Riko had already arrived. “Oh, good morning Miss Niijima.”

Sae found it a little difficult to look at Riko without thinking about her dream, but she was used to keeping her emotions in check, so she didn’t let it show. “Good morning Riko.”

“How are you doing?” Riko asked.

“Fine,” Sae answered. She was about to enter her office, but she turned back to Riko. “Say…how often do you go to that sushi place we went to last night?”

“Hm?” Riko looked at her confused. “Um, well, I like to vary up where I go whenever I go out, but usually at least once a month. Why do you ask?”

Sae paused. “I…had a strange dream last night. I was wondering if it was the sushi.”

“Hmmm. I see,” Riko said. “Well, I know that can happen, but it doesn’t usually happen for me.”

“I see…” Sae replied.

“However, I think it might be a combination of the sushi and the recent circumstances. I don’t imagine it’s easy to wait to pursue a case like this.”

“You don’t think I can handle this?” Sae snapped.

“N-Not at all,” Riko said nervously. “But it is not easy.”

“Nothing I do is easy,” Sae explained.

“Right,” Riko said. “But I’m always here for you.”

Sae sighed again. “Maybe you’re right. I’m sorry.”

“Hm hm. It’s OK,” Riko said.

Sae smiled. “Thank you.” She walked back into her office and began to work on some of her cases.

A little while later, there was a knock on her door. “Um, Miss Niijima,” Riko said. “There’s some people here to see you.”

Sae was confused. Still, she put what she was working on down. “Coming!” Sae said. She got up and opened the door. Greeting her alongside Riko were a man and a woman. “Hello. How may I help you?”

“Hi,” the woman said. “We represent child services.”

Sae tensed up. What happened to Makoto? Is she alright?

The woman continued. “We’ve gotten a report that we want your assistance with. It’s about the Sakura residence, and we’ve been told you have some level of familiarity.”

Sae sighed, relieved. She quietly composed herself. “Yes. How may I help?”

“Well, we’ve gotten a report of a disturbance,” the man said. “However, the person who made the report has since rescinded their report.”

“That’s odd,” Sae said.

“Indeed,” the man said.

“Can you give me the details?” Sae asked.

“Certainly,” the man said. “So, as you know, Sojiro Sakura has been taking care of Futaba Sakura, Wakaba Isshiki’s daughter, ever since her mother’s passing.”

“Right,” Sae said.

“And that since April, he has also been taking care of Ren Ammiya while she is on probation,” the man continued. However, Youji Isshiki, Futaba’s uncle, has claimed that Miss Amamiya assaulted him, but later said that that was a lie, and that he was trying to extort Sojiro Sakura. We just want to confirm a few things before we meet with them about all of this.”

“I see,” Sae replied. “Well, I can’t say for sure that Miss Amamiya hasn’t done anything wrong, but I do believe that Youji Isshiki wasn’t giving you the truth about that incident.”

“So, he was trying to extort Mr. Sakura?” the man asked.

Sae nodded. “I don’t see him fit to be a guardian of any kind. But during the proceedings he was initially given custody due to him and Futaba being blood-related. However, Mr. Sakura offered a lot of money for custody of Futaba due to how Youji was treating her.”

“We are aware of that,” the woman said. “We just wanted to check with some people just to be sure.”

“Have you talked with Miss Amamiya’s parole office at all?” Sae asked.

“Well, that’s another weird thing about this situation,” the woman said. “A few days before we got the report, Miss Amamiya’s parole officer filed an ethics complaint against himself.”

“What?” Sae said, confused.

The woman nodded. “He claims to have been visited by The Phantom Thieves and had a change of heart.” Sae glanced away in frustration. “He said he had a bias against Miss Amamiya and couldn’t function as an unbiased parole officer. He’s also had a history of tumultuous behavior in the past, which is coming to light as part of this ethics investigation. Right now, they’re in the process of finding a new parole officer.”

“I see,” Sae said.

“Well, thank you for your time,” the man said. “I imagine you have a lot of work to do.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Sae said. “We have to help each other when it comes to justice, right?”

“Of course,” the woman said, “Thank you again.” The child services agents then proceeded to leave.

On their way out, they ran into Akechi. Almost literally. “Oh, pardon me,” Akechi said, nearly bumping into the man.

“It’s quite alright,” the man said. “Actually, it’s quite serendipitous.”

“Hm?” Akechi wondered.

“We work for child services,” the woman clarified. “Right now we’re investigating a claim about the Sakura household.”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“We’ve been told by her former parole officer that you have been keeping tabs on Ren Amamiya,” the man explained.

“That’s correct,” Akechi said. “Hold on, former?”

The woman nodded. “He turned himself over for an ethics investigation.”

“Huh,” Akechi said, stunned. He smirked. “I see. To be honest, I had some reservations about him, but I couldn’t just say that to his face now, could I?”

“I see,” the woman said. “He did say he was biased towards her. Plus he has a few other issues from what I understand.”

“I see,” Akechi replied.

“However,” the man interjected, “we’ve received an independent report that Ren had assaulted someone.”

“Oh my,” Akechi said, stunned.

“However, the person making the report admitted to fabricating it,” the man continued.

“Oh. I see,” Akechi said. “That’s a little unusual.”

“Well, we wanted to ask you about how you think Ren is taking to her parole,” the woman asked. “We want to be prepared for everything.”

“Hm. I see,” Akechi said. “Well, from my personal interactions with her, she seems to be following her parole guidelines to a T. She’s not causing a commotion, she’s making friends, she’s going to school, frankly she’s a model teenager.”

“I see,” the man said. “Thank you for your time.”

“Of course,” Akechi said. “Thank you for working so diligently.” Akechi nodded at them, and they nodded back. They then walked past each other; the child services agent out the door, and Akechi to Sae’s office.

Akechi approached Riko’s desk. “Good morning,” Akechi said.

Riko looked up. “Good morning.”

“Is Miss Niijima busy?” Akechi asked.

“I’m sure she can make time,” Riko said. “It wouldn’t be her first interruption.” She got up and knocked on Sae’s door. “Miss Niijima, Detective Akechi is here to see you!”

Sae was a little shaken, but did feel like she could use the company. “Let him in,” she called.

The door opened, and Akechi walked in. “Good morning,” he greeted.

“Good morning,” Sae replied.

“I just wanted to check in on things here,” Akechi said. “After what happened Tuesday night, I imagine you must be incredibly busy.”

“Quite the opposite,” Sae said, upset.

“Hm?” Akechi pondered. “But aren’t you heading up the investigation?”

Sae glared at him. She sighed. “Because of the accusations against the director, an independent team has to look over the evidence to make sure he didn’t taint it in some way.”

“Oh my!” Akechi said, shocked.

Sae nodded. “I’m still keeping busy though. It’s not like I don’t have other cases to work on.”

“Of course, but I know you,” Akechi said. “I know that you were really invested in this case.”

“Aren’t you?!” Sae snapped. “I mean, something like this doesn’t happen every day! It's destroying the lives of thousands, if not millions of people! I want to put an end to it as soon as possible, but I’m stuck waiting for a bunch of red tape to clear out!”

Akechi was shook by Sae’s reply. “Well… I can’t say I don’t understand your frustration. However, we are closer than we’ve ever been. We have a suspect, we have someone with knowledge of how things work behind bars, we know this case in and out. I’m sure we will close this case.”

“Will we?” Sae responded. “Because last time I checked, we only got this far because of The Phantom Thieves and their constant meddling. My investigation hasn’t even done a fraction of work compared to them. We’re still in the dark about a lot, and this delay is only serving to muddy the waters. Honestly, do you really think that this ‘pause’ is anything but Director Ono trying to sideline me and consolidate his position?”

“Hm,” Akechi smirked. “So that’s what you think. If that’s the case, why not reach out to The Phantom Thieves and ask for their assistance?”

Sae’s eyes widened. “What?”

“I’m just saying, if you’re bogged down by the director stifling your every move, why not talk with someone who can operate outside of that ‘red tape’,” Akechi suggested.

“They could still be in on it,” Sae countered.

“Really?” Akechi responded. “At this point you still believe that?”

“There’s a connection there,” Sae said. “I’m sure of it!”

“Even if there is a connection, which I agree is likely,” Akechi countered, “it seems ludicrous at this point to believe that The Phantom Thieves are working with the director. I mean, they took down Okumura and got him to confess. That doesn’t sound like them and the director are on the same page.”

“You say this like anything about this case is logical,” Sae retorted. “Besides, even if they aren’t, we still don’t know what their endgame is. Do you really want to trust them to help out and that be it?”

“Well, I know that sometimes the enemy of my enemy is my friend,” Akechi replied. “It is healthy to keep them at arm’s length, but what have they done so far that suggests that they are unleashing a grand plan to take over Japan? All they’ve done is take down criminals, or at least people with questionable morals.”

“I can’t believe you’re buying into their rhetoric,” Sae said.

“I don’t entirely buy into it,” Akechi said. “But between them and the person who is, as you put it, ‘destroying the lives of thousands, if not millions of people,’ I know who I’d side with.”

“I thought you were about justice,” Sae responded.

“I am,” Akechi replied. “But I’m also a pragmatist. If we can use criminals to catch other criminals, then why shouldn’t we?”

“Because they’re criminals,” Sae answered.

Akechi grew serious. “I see. It appears we are at an impasse.” He stood up. “Well despite our differences, I’ll still be happy to work with you. I am going to continue my investigation, and I will do it in a way I can be proud of.” He turned around. “You know, with or without you, the director is making his next moves. With or without you, The Phantom Thieves are making their next moves. Whatever you do is up to you, but at some point you have to realize that some things are too big for you to handle alone.” He opened the door. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have plans this afternoon.” Akechi walked out, closing the door.

Sae glared at where Akechi was. “Hm. You think I can’t handle things on my own? You’re forgetting one thing. I’ve been forged in the fires of loss, prejudice, and sacrifice. And I will NOT let ANYONE ELSE walk through that fire. Understand?” After a moment, she went back to working on one of her cases.

After school, Ren, Morgana, Ann, Ryuji, Jose, Yusuke, Makoto, Lena, Futaba, Haru, Shiho, Mishima, Hifumi, and Kisa had gathered at the train station to head to the stadium for Sumire’s meet. Hifumi sighed. “Honestly, this couldn’t have come at a better time,” she admitted. “With everything that’s happened recently, it’s nice to just take a step back and not have to worry about things, even if only for an afternoon.”

“I understand what you mean,” Haru said.

“Oh!” Hifumi said. “Sorry, I don’t mean-”

“It’s alright,” Haru said. “Just because my father went to jail, doesn’t mean others can’t suffer.”

“I see,” Hifumi said. She bowed. “Thank you.”

Haru chuckled. “You know, when Ren-chan told me that you’d be coming as well, I was a little surprised. But speaking with you now has been pleasant.”

Hifumi nodded. “Likewise.”

“Is this everyone?” Kisa asked.

“Mostly,” Makoto said. “We’re still waiting on one more person I believe.”

“Oh, I talked with Goro earlier,” Lena replied. “He said he’d meet us at the stadium.”

“I see…” Makoto said. “Well then, I think we’re ready to go.”

“Hold it!” belted a different voice. They looked over to see Hiroki.

“Hiroki?!” Haru said, surprised.

Hirki sighed. “Do…you mind if I come too?”

“Well…we’d be delighted, obviously,” Makoto said, stammering. “But…”

“How did you find us?” Kisa asked.

“Well, I knew what you were doing,” Hiroki said. “Haru and I would talk about it from time to time. But I couldn’t go because…”

“Because we were trying to keep our wealth a secret from each other,” Haru finished. “But if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you shouldn’t have to keep secrets from the people you’re closest to. If I hadn’t, well…this whole mess could have been avoided.”

Hiroki smiled slightly. “What’s done is done. I can’t say that…I am proud of what happened, but hopeful I can move on.”

“Trust me, you will,” Shiho said. Hiroki chuckled.

“I don’t think any of us dislike you,” Haru assured. “Besides, I’m going to need you now more than ever, so…I’m glad you weren’t lost in the shuffle as well.”

“Hm,” Hiroki siad, grinning. “It still feels a little odd getting back to where things used to be, but this is a nice start.”

“Hold on,” Ren interjected. “Do you want to?”

Hiroki and Haru seem puzzled.”I…don’t follow…” Hiroki said.

“I think I do,” Haru said. “I think she’s saying that going back might not be the best. Rather, we must move forward.”

Hiroki was impressed. “Huh. You know, I get it. I liked what we had, but with or without this episode, something would have to give in order to deepen our relationship.”

“Exactly!” Haru cheered. Ren smiled. “Well then, shall we go now?”

“Of course,” Yusuke said. “Let’s hurry.”

“Right!” Lena added. “We can’t keep Goro waiting!” The group then boarded the train and headed to the stadium.

Just outside, they spotted Akechi. He spotted them soon after and waved them over. Lena leapt in for a hug. “Goro!”

“Ah!’ Akechi replied, not quite expecting that, but reciprocated all the same. “Salutations.” They let go, and Akechi noticed the large group. “My, this is a lot of people.”

“You’ve got a problem with that?” Mishima asked.

“Yuuki!” Shiho said, slapping him

Akechi just smiled. “No. Quite the opposite in fact. I’m alone a lot of the time, so being a part of a bigger group is nice.” He turned to Lena. “So, are you close with all of these people?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Lena said, flustered.

“Not all of them,” Ren interjected. “There’s some friends of friends stuff going on. I…like inviting a lot of people. I can’t help it, I get so excited.”

“Well of course,” Akechi said. “After all, your girlfriend is performing.”

“Girlfriend?” Hiroki said, confused.

Akechi was stunned. “Oh my. My apologies, I thought everyone here knew.”

“Well, I mean, it’s fine,” Ren replied. “Right?”

Haru turned to Hiroki. “Is it not?”

Hiroki was stunned. “I mean, of course it is. I just didn’t know.”

“Well, I am on parole,” Ren explained. “I don’t like painting unnecessary targets on my back.”

“No, I getcha, I getcha,” Hiroki replied. “I imagine it’d be hard if you had just moved, but the arrest on top of that.”

“Are we just revealing all your secrets?” Akechi asked.

Ren chuckled. “I mean, they're my friends.”

“Hm hm. Of course,” Akechi replied. “Now then, I think we should get going.”

Haru nodded. “Follow me.” The group proceeded to follow Haru.

Once they arrived at Haru’s box seat, Akechi seemed impressed. “Wow. I didn’t expect to get this kind of seating.”

“I know, right?” Ryuji said.

"It's incredible!" Jose said.

“This is our first time up here as well,” Makoto informed him.

“It is really nice though,” Kisa stated.

“Totally!” Ann said. “You can see the whole floor from here!”

“Hm hm,” Haru giggled. “We should get ready. The performance is about to begin.”

“Of course,” Ren said. The group organized themselves to watch the performance.

One by one, the performers began performing. Sumire was waiting in the wings in anticipation; her heart going a mile a minute. A manager came up to her and said “Alright Miss Yoshizawa, you’re on deck.”

Sumire bowed. “Thank you.” The manager left. Sumire took a deep breath.

“Nervous?” said a voice. Sumire was stunned. She looked over to see the image of her sister.

Sumire smiled nervously. “Always.”

Kasumi smiled back. “Well, I know you’ll do great.”

Sumire smiled more sincerely. “Thanks.”

“Hm hm. Of course,” Kasumi replied. “It’s what sisters do.”

“Right,” Sumire replied. She paused. “Listen…I’m sorry.”

“About the accident?” Kasumi wondered. “It wasn’t your fault.”

“Thanks, but that’s not what I mean,” Sumire said. “Not entirely.”

“Then what do you mean?” Kasumi asked.

Sumire paused for a moment. “I’m…sorry I kept trying to chase you. To try and be you. I was...just so scared of what being me was that…I tried running from it.” She gripped her fist. “But now, with Ren, with everyone, I feel more like myself than I have in a long time.”

“So, does this mean you’re done with me?” Kasumi asked.

Sumire rolled her eyes. “Look at who you’re talking to here. The difference now is that I’m not going to use you as a crutch. But I can’t give you up. We’re sisters. We’re twins. We’re partners. We’re friends. I know you’re gone, but we're still connected. And I’ll hold onto that connection until the day I join you where you are.”

“Hm,” Kasumi said, marveling at Sumire’s confidence. “That’s all I needed to hear.”

“Miss Yoshizawa,” the manager said, walking back. “You’re on!”

Sumire bowed again. “Thank you.” She walks forward, leaving an empty space behind.

Once Sumire entered, she looked around. She found her friends up in the box seat, smiled, nodded, and gave her performance. She performed with vigor, exuding confidence and grace, missing not a single step. The crowd was in awe, none more than her girlfriend, and as Sumire continued with her performance, she felt lost to the movement. For the first time in a long time, she wasn’t doing gymnastics for anyone but herself. However, she knew that in no way was she alone.

Once she finished, there was a stunned silence before everyone cheered. The thunderous applause delighted her. She waved to the crowd, and then looked over and saw her friends. Despite the cheers, she could tell that they enjoyed the performance more than anyone else. She gave the crowd a bow, and headed out.

After the meet was over, everyone came out to congratulate Sumire. “WOOOOOO!” Ryuji shouted. “That was EXCELLENT!”

“That was TOTALLY amazing!” Ann said.

“You were phenomenal,” Shiho said.

“That was so COOL!” Mishima said.

“What an amazing performance,” Haru said.

“I almost can’t believe you did all that,” Hiroki said, still stunned.

“Of course!” Kisa said. “She’s the best!”

“You really were spectacular,” Makoto said.

“I agree,” Yusuke said. “I was compelled to sketch, but felt like I could not tear my eyes away for even a second!”

"It really was incredible!” Jose said.

“You really are a master of your work,” Hifumi said.

“What a spectacle!” Futaba cheered.

“You did SO well!” Lena said.

“I agree,” Akechi said “A vast improvement since I’ve last seen you.”

“Nya ha ha,” Morgana said. “That was AMAZING!”

Ren gently took Sumire’s hand. Sumire looked over, and the two of them were blushing. “...You did incredibly well. I…I loved every millisecond of it.”

Sumire’s blush grew slightly. “...Thanks.” There was a second of silence before the two shared a kiss.

A few seconds after they stopped, Sumire’s phone went off. She checked it. “Eh heh. Sorry to cut this short, but my dad’s waiting for me.” She rushed out. “Bye!” she waved. Everyone waved back, chanting their goodbyes. Once Sumire disappeared, Ren nodded, and she and everyone else headed out as well.

In the car, Sumire’s parents were congratulating her. “Sumire, that was EXCELLENT!” Akane said.

“You were shining!” Shinich said. “I haven’t seen you like that since…since…well, you know.”

Sumire smiled, though it was a little sad. “Yeah. But it’s not in spite of Kasumi not being there.” She looked over to see her twin sitting next to her. “It’s because she was.”

Her parents teared up. “Of course,” Shinichi said.

“Well said,” Akane added.

“Let’s go home,” Shinichi instructed. The family headed home for the evening.

Notes:

This kind of feels like two chapters in one, but I think it works. Sae's unwillingness to budge an inch is contrasted with the Phantom Thieves and associates growth. Perhaps they could have been two chapters, but also it's the same day, and I think it just needed to be this. Enjoy.

Chapter 175: Strange Bonds

Notes:

Fair warning, thing get a little tense this chapter. I don't know how much I should warn you, or when. I mean, P5 in general has a lot of tense moments, bu when it comes to new tense moments, that's where I get a little unsure. I don't think it's worse than anything in the game, but it's hard to tell (most of the time anyways; there are exceptions). Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter Text

Friday, Akechi appeared on a talk show. “Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to speak with us,” the male presenter said.

“Oh, I don’t mind, Akechi said. “This part can be just as important.”

“You’re just saying that,” the male presenter responded. Akechi let out a light chuckle. “So anyways, we want to know, what do you make of the SIU director getting arrested?”

“Well, it was quite a shock,” Akechi answered. “Although a lot of the time, truth is stranger than fiction.”

“So, you think he’s guilty?” the female presenter said.

“Well, I can’t imagine he’s innocent,” Akechi said. “After all, another person ratted him out.”

“You’re talking about Mr. Okumura, correct?” the female presenter asked.

“That’s correct,” Akechi answered.

“But wasn’t his heart changed by The Phantom Thieves?” the male presenter replied. “How can we be sure that it’s honest if we shouldn’t trust them?”

“Well that’s a fine line now, isn’t it?” Akechi responded. “It’s not that I trust The Phantom Thieves entirely, but every time they’ve changed someone’s heart, that person has said nothing but verifiable facts.”

“But couldn't that change?” the female presenter rebutted.

“True, but that’s why I said I don’t trust them completely,” Akechi said.

“I see,” the female presenter replied.

“That said,” Akechi continued, “I’d be disappointed in them if they changed their style now. The Phantom Thieves have made me think about what it means to be a detective, and what it means to be on the side of justice. If they resorted to being devious, well then that’s just another crime to add to their list.”

“You seem to be having fun,” the male presenter said.

“Well, I try to when I can,” Akechi retorted. “A crime scene is not usually a place for levity.”

“Of course,” the male presenter said.

“In fact, as much as I seem to be enjoying this, I’ve had to get serious recently,” Akechi said. “This whole deal with the arrest of the SIU director is going to make things interesting to say the least.”

“But didn’t he turn himself in?” the female presenter asked.

“That is correct,” Akechi siad. “However, I doubt it ends there. These mental shutdowns have been going on for quite a while. I don’t imagine the game will be up, even behind bars.”

“So, you think he has some big plan?” the male presenter asked.

“Well, that’s what I’m trying to figure out,” Akech said

“Well good luck with your investigation,” the female presenter said.

“Why thank you,” Akechi replied. “By the way, if anyone has some information, don’t hesitate to contact the police. Even the smallest thing can crack a case wide open. Why, I remember an officer telling me a story about how a case that almost seemed unsolvable was solved with the assistance of the culprit’s daughter.”

“That sounds like an interesting story,” the male presenter said.

“It is,” Akechi said. “However, it might not be right to tell on this show.”

“I see,” the male presenter said.

“Well, I’m sure our audience won’t hesitate to help you,” the female reporter said.

“And I am grateful,” Akechi said. “But just remember, you aren’t helping me. You’re helping society at-large.”

“Stunning words from a stunning detective,” the female presenter said.

The male presenter nodded. He turned to the camera and said “I’m afraid that’s all the time we have for today, but stick around, as up next, we answer your questions!”

Meanwhile, after school, Ren got a text.

Yumeko: Hey.

Yumeko: I’m freaking out a little bit, and I need someone to talk me down.

Ren: Where are you?

Yumeko: I’ll be by the vending machines.

Yumeko: I think we’ll have our privacy.

Yumeko: Nobody usually gets close to me anyway.

Ren: I’ll be right over. Ren put her phone away, and rushed over as fast as she could.

Ren found Yumeko sitting down with her head down. She approached and gently put her hand on one of Yumeko’s arms. “Hey. It’s me," she said, gently.

Yumeko looked up. “Oh. Hey.”

Ren sat down. “What’s wrong?”

Yumeko sighed. “My grandfather got arrested.”

“Oh, I’m, uh, sorry to hear that,” Ren replied.

“I’m not,” Yumeko retorted. Ren seemed confused. “I’m glad he got arrested. It’s about time.”

“Uuuuuuuuuuuuum, OK?” Ren said.

Yumeko looked at Ren. “Sorry. You wouldn’t know. I think he helped my dad kill my mom.”

“Oh, OK,” Ren said. “Wait, what?!”

“Yeah, that’s…usually most people’s reaction…” Yumeko said.

“I see…?” Ren said.

Yumeko let out another sigh. “It’s…a long story…”

“Well, I’m here, aren’t I?” Ren said. “Besides, I don’t think you can leave me on the hook for that.”

“I mean, I guess I did call you here,” Yumeko said. “And that’s sort of why I’m freaking out. OK.” She took a deep breath. “My father killed my mother, but in a way that looked like an accident. The only reason he’s in prison now is because I managed to catch on and call the police.”

“I…see…” Ren said. “If I may, did he have a reason?”

“I think part of it is that my mom was rich,” Yumeko said. “But maybe because I was also sort of not what he was expecting? I dunno.”

“OK, OK, both disturbing,” Ren said. “And you say your grandfather may have helped?”

Yumeko nodded. “I think he gave my dad the instructions on how to make it look like an accident.”

“Huh,” Ren said. “And your father would be your grandfather’s son in this instance?”

“Correct,” Yumeko answered.

“What makes you think he helped?” Ren asked.

“Well, my father may have been malicious, he wasn’t all too cunning,” Yumeko said. “My grandfather is really smart, and always one step ahead of things.”

“OK, OK,” Ren said.

“And after my dad got arrested, I went to live with my mom’s brother, and took his last name, which was my mother’s maiden name,” Yumeko said. “He’s a real nice guy, but…well, I fell into kind of a dark place, as you may know.”

“I mean, after hearing all of that, I’m a little surprised you’re still standing at all,” Ren said.

Yumeko let out a huff. “It’s just… How does someone say they love someone, and then kill them?! I can’t wrap my head around it! I don’t want to be that, but I’m afraid of the icy chill of my grandfather’s family in my body, so I just sort of snapped. I’d be willing to kill for the person I love, and things just got out of hand.”

“Yeah…” Ren said.

“And now, I thought I was getting better, but hearing the news of my grandpa’s arrest, I…kind of freaked out,” Yumeko explained.

“What did you do?” Ren asked.

“I let it fester inside me until I texted you,” Yumeko answered.

“Well…I guess worse things could have happened,” Ren said.

Yumeko put her head down. “I just don’t know what to do. I want to show the people I like that I like them, but I always think that’s a bit of a lie without going to 100 straightaway. It’s just…” She sighed again.

Ren got real serious. She gulped. “Listen,” she said. Yumeko looked up. Ren sighed. “I’m going to tell you a few things. One, I at least think you should talk to Dr. Maruki.”

“OK,” Yumeko nodded.

“But more importantly,” Ren continued, “is what I can assist with now. See, I think we’re two sides of the same coin.”

Yumeko was stunned. “How do you figure?”

“Well,” Ren said, “I can’t say I’ve had an experience like yours, but I didn’t have a great time growing up. I used to stand up for people getting bullied, and I wasn’t just saying things. I could beat up kids twice my size. I thought I was a hero. But everyone started seeing me as a monster; as an outsider; as a freak.

I don’t even remember when it started, it just happened one day. Suddenly, the people around me didn’t see me as one of them, but as some justice-obsessed freak who had inhuman strength and intellect. I wasn’t one of them. And when they found out I was a lesbian, that made the situation worse.

However, I went in the opposite direction of you. You went to 100, I went to 0. I tried to pretend nothing bothered me, that everything was fine; that I was fine. I became detached from things, and scared to let people in. I even grew apart from my family somewhat. And…”

“‘And…’?” Yumeko wondered.

Ren sighed again. “There was a brief period of time where I tried talking myself out of being a lesbian.” Yumeko gasped. “But once I realized I couldn’t change that, I just added that to the things I was detached about.

But ever since coming to Tokyo, I’ve learned to open up more. I’ve learned to turn myself up from 0. I’m not all the way there yet, but every day I get closer, and it’s all thanks to the people around me.

What I’m saying is it’s important to reach out and be able to accept help. I know I wouldn’t be where I am now without other people. So, whether it’s some other friends, Dr. Maruki, or me, you have to rely on others, just like I rely on others. OK?”

Yumeko started tearing up. “OK,” she nodded.

“Good,” Ren said. “I’m sure you’ll get there. And you know I’ll be there every step of the way.”

Yumeko chuckled slightly. “Thank you.”

Charity-Yumeko Mogami: Rank 3

“Oh yeah,” Ren said, realizing something. “What did your grandfather get arrested for?”

“Well, don’t tell anyone, OK?” Yumeko said. Ren nodded. Yumeko leaned over and whispered “He’s the director of the SIU that Mr. Okumura named in his Phantom Thieves confession.”

“Oh!” Ren replied, surprised. “Oh,” Ren repeated, this time at the shock that she can still be surprised by Yumeko.

Yumeko stood up. “I…think I should get going. I want to write down what I’m feeling to take to Dr. Maruki.”

“That is an excellent idea,” Ren said. Yumeko nodded and rushed off. Ren got up, got herself a soda, sat back down, and drank a large gulp. “Oh boy.”

Later that evening, Ren got another text.

Akechi: Do you mind if I stop by this evening?

Akechi: I’d like to talk about a few things.

Ren: Sure.

Akechi: Very well then.

Akechi: See you soon!

Ren: See ya!

A little later, Akechi arrived at Leblanc. Ren was working on some school work, but looked up to see Akechi walk in. “Oh hey!” she greeted.

“Hello,” Akechi replied. “I see you’re working really hard.”

Ren nodded. “Midterms are just around the corner.”

“Right,” Akehi said. “I can come by at a later date, if you need time.”

“Nah,” Ren said, closing her book. “I needed a break.”

“Very well,” Akechi said. He sat down next to her. He turned to Sojiro. “I’ll take a coffee and curry.”

“Same,” Ren said, putting her stuff away.

“Coming up,” Sojiro said.

While they were waiting, Ren turned to Akechi and asked “So, how are things on your end?”

“Well, I can’t lie, it’s getting a little hectic,” Akechi said “However, I have been informed that your parole officer turned himself in for an ethics investigation.”

“Oh,” Ren said, surprised.

“I actually got a call about that,” Sojiro chimed in. “Your new parole officer should be making contact with me this upcoming week.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“Well, I assume he’ll be upstanding, unlike the previous guy,” Akechi said. “Which means I have a favor to ask you.”

“Hm?” Ren said.

“As delightful as these chats are, I may not be able to do them much anymore,” Akechi continued. “I mean, I haven’t been coming around terribly often, but…”

“I…get it,” Ren said. “I’m gonna miss it a bit though. But good news,” Akechi perked up, “once my parole is up, I’m staying here permanently. So once this is over, we can chat more often.”

Akechi smiled. “Why, that IS good news. I mean, we have phones, so we won’t lose that much contact, but it’s different when people are in another town.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“Here you go,” Sojiro said, giving them their curry and coffee.

“Thank you,” they both said. They started eating.

“Hm,” Akechi smirked. “No matter how many times I come here, I never tire of the flavor.”

“I know, right?” Ren said. “I mean, I have this stuff fairly often, and I still love it.”

Akechi chuckled. They kept eating for a bit, before Akechi said “You know, I did come here to discuss a few things.”

“Was telling me you weren't going to be stopping by for a while not that?” Ren asked.

“Well, that’s part of it,” Akechi said. “But I want to go a little deeper.”

“Um, OK?” Ren said, a little perplexed.

“See, with the development with the SIU director,” Akechi started, “I feel like now we are closer than ever to solving this mental shutdown business. I’ve got to work extra hard to figure this out. I doubt the person orchestrating this for as long as the director has isn’t going to just give in and have that be it. In order to really figure this out, I have to put my nose to the grindstone and work it out.”

“Right…” Ren said.

“However, that might be a bit of a danger,” Akechi continued. Ren grew alarmed. “Like I said, he’s probably not going to give up so easily. If I go in too deep, I may be in the crosshairs. But I can’t give up now.”

Ren paused a moment before responding. “Well, if you need anything, you know I’ll be there for you.”

“Hm. Of course,” Akechi said. “Well…Hold on,” Akechi seemed doubtful. Ren seemed a little confused. “I’m not sure if you’ll mean that.”

“What do you mean?” Ren asked.

“How do I put this?” Akechi said. “I guess I gotta just say it. Are you, by chance, a member of The Phantom Thieves?”

Ren was stunned. “Come again?”

“I’m sorry,” Akechi. “I just had a suspicion that you might be a Phantom Thief.”

“What makes you say that?” Ren asked, on pins and needles.

“Well, I don’t have any solid evidence,” Akechi said. “But a lot of things would make sense if you were a Phantom Thief.”

“I see,” Ren said. “And how long have you had this thought?”

Akechi looked at her intently. “Since the incident with Lena’s mother.”

“I see,” Ren said, treading carefully.

“But I’ve been thinking about certain things since then,” Akechi said. “And a lot of them come together if you were a Phantom Thief.”

“Hm,” Ren replied. “So, are you going to arrest me?”

“Well, like I said, I don’t have any solid evidence,” Akechi retorted.

“Well, you’re Japan’s 2nd Prince Detective,” Ren rebutted. “If you say it, people will believe you.”

“True, but I don’t like getting drunk on power,” Akechi said. “Even if I am certain that you are a Phantom Thief, I can’t in good conscience put you away without evidence.”

“How sweet,” Ren said, sarcastically.

“But even if I had evidence, I might want to talk things through first,” Akechi said.

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

“Well, your conversations have made me change some of my thoughts,” Akechi said. “I’d like to discuss a few things before making a move. Besides that though, I feel like there are currently bigger fish to fry.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“I would like to suggest working with the Phantom Thieves,” Akechi stated. “But I get that you might not be ready to open up.”

“If I’m a Phantom Thief, you mean,” Ren countered.

“Of course,” Akechi said, gritting his teeth. “But listen, despite this…friction, I don’t want you to think we’re any less friends. Heck, I only decided to become friends with you because of our differences..”

Ren chuckled. “Right.”

“But despite that, I know I did the right thing,” Akechi said. “I don’t befriend, or even socialize, with people randomly.”

"If you did, you’d probably have a million friends,” Ren joked.

Akechi chuckled. “Right. But, as a show of solidarity, I want to return some of your earlier confidence.” Ren was slightly confused. “You entrusted me with the fact that you were a lesbian. Well, I think it’s about time I return the favor: I’m a trans man.”

Ren was surprised. “Oh!”

“You see, that’s kind of why I laughed when you told me,” Akechi explained. “I’m good at keeping up appearances, but there are times when I don’t entirely feel like a man. But when you said you weren’t interested in me because you only liked women, well, that just hit me like a wave of euphoria.”

“Oh yeah,” Ren chuckled. “I get it.”

Akechi nodded. “So, I can trust you to keep this a secret?”

Ren nodded back. “Your secret’s safe with me.”

Justice-Goro Akechi: Rank 7

Akechi stood up. “Well, this has been fun. But I’m afraid I must go.”

“Right,” Ren said. “Good luck.”

“Hm,” Akechi said. “While I would like a little more cooperation, I’ll take your luck. After all,since getting to Tokyo, you’ve had such an upswing.”

Ren chuckled. “How many times am I going to need to deny it?”

“Until I find the truth,” Akechi said. “I’m not one to let go of a mystery. Although I know you well enough to know you're not going to let go of things easily either.”

“Well, thanks for the comment on my luck,” Ren said. “And have a wonderful evening.”

“You too,” Akechi smiled. He left.

Once he seemed far enough away, Ren let out a huge sigh. “You alright there?” Sojiro said.

“A little,” Ren said.

“Are you worried?” Sojiro asked.

“A little,” Ren answered again.

“Well, for what it’s worth, he seems like he’s a man of his word,” Sojiro said.

“I know,” Ren said. “But it’s not just me we’re talking about. It’s everyone. I need to talk it out with them.”

“Well that's a good place to start,” Sojiro said

Ren yawned. “But it’s getting late now. I’ll do it in the morning.”

“OK then,” Sojiro said. “Oh right. Your room should be ready by the time midterms are over.”

“Really?” Ren said. Sojiro nodded. Ren smiled. “I can’t wait.” There was a brief pause. “Well, good night.”

“Good night,” Sojiro replied. He left, while Ren headed upstairs.

Chapter 176: New Life

Chapter Text

Saturday morning, on her way to school, Ren texted the group.

Ren: Akechi is on to me.

Ryuji: FOR REAL?!

Ren: He doesn’t have any proof, so he’s not going to do anything, but it’s still concerning.

Makoto: I agree.

Jose: What should we do?

Ann: What is there to do?

Ann: I mean, so long as Akechi doesn’t have evidence, he can’t do anything, right?

Lena: Well, he is a detective, and a really good one at that.

Lena: He’s not going to give up just like that.

Ann: That’s true…

Ren: He did extend an olive branch.

Sumire: That’s odd.

Yusuke: Indeed. Very peculiar.

Ren: He believes that whoever is causing these mental shutdowns is a far-bigger threat, and if we could work together, he wouldn’t be opposed.

Jose: That doesn’t sound all too bad.

Ryuji: I dunno. I’m not sure if we can trust him on this.

Lena: Are you saying Goro isn’t trustworthy?

Ryuji: No!

Ryuji: I’m just saying that if we give ourselves up just like that, we might not have much wiggle room afterwards.

Yusuke: Ryuji’s right. If we open ourselves up, we can’t move forward freely.

Yusuke: We might get some leeway in the case we’re working on now, but if we reach a dead end before closing up every loose end, we’d be in trouble.

Futaba: As much as I hate to admit it, Inari has a point.

Futaba: If we see to it that the SIU director gets punished, we might not be able to go after the person above him.

Sumire: Or Eris.

Ren: Right…

Ren: I think we need to discuss a comprehensive plan.

Makoto: But where? When?

Haru: What about my place?

Haru: Tomorrow?

Haru: I could use some company.

Haru: And we can also use it as a study party.

Sumire: Right. Midterms are the day after.

Ryuji: Aw man. Doesn’t the school know we’re trying to save the world?

Yusuke If they did, we’d have a bigger issue than just midterms.

Ryuji: You’re right. Midterms it is.

Makoto: That is an ingenious plan Haru.

Haru: Thank you, Mako-chan!

Ren: Alright. If no one has any objections, the plan is to meet at Haru’s house tomorrow to discuss this, and also get some studying in.

Futaba: Sounds good to me!

Ryuji: Yeah, cause you don’t have any midterms to study for.

Futaba: Well, Sojiro’s pushing me to take the high school entrance exam, so I need to study for that.

Lena: Really? Congratulations!

Ann: Yah! Way to go Futaba!

Haru You can do it, Futaba-chan!

Futaba: …Thanks.

Ren: Anyways, see you then!

Ren put her phone away, and headed to school.

Meanwhile, at Sae’s office, there was a knock on her door. “Who is it?!” Sae asked.

“We’re here to return your evidence,” the voice on the other side answered.

Sae was curious. She got up, and walked to the door. She saw it was the inspectors who took the evidence she had, and now they returned to give it back to her. She nodded. “I take it your investigation went well?”

The inspector nodded. “We found nothing out of the ordinary.”

“Well, thanks,” Sae said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some work to catch up on.”

“Thank you for being patient,” the inspector answered. “I know this must not have been easy for you.”

“Right,” Sae said. “Well, bye.” The inspector nodded, and he and his cohorts left.

Riko turned to Sae and said “Well, this is good news, right?”

“Perhaps,” Sae said. “Let’s just hope we’re not a day late, and a buck short.” She took the box. “I’m going to be reviewing the evidence. Can you contact the Okumura residence? I need to talk with Okumura’s daughter tomorrow.”

Riko seemed confused. “Why not talk with Mr. Okumura first?”

“Because Monday begins midterms,” Sae replied. “I won’t have a better chance to talk with her for a while.”

“Of course,” Riko said. “I’ll get on it.”

“Thanks,” Sae said. “Oh, and think of a good place to go eat tonight. Now that we’re back on track, I feel like celebrating.”

“Yes Ma'am!” Riko said. Sae went back into her office, while Riko called up the Okumura residence.

After school, Ren decided to check in on Dr. Takemi. Once she entered, Dr. Takemi looked up and said “Good. You’re here.”

“Hey,” Ren replied. “How are things going?”

“Quite well,” Takemi said. “I’ve been going back and forth with my colleagues about my findings. We’re almost at the point where we can begin administering it.”

“Well that’s great!” Ren replied.

Takemi nodded. She smiled. “You know, it’s funny. I wouldn’t have even finished had you not come to me.”

Ren smiled back. “Well, if you hadn't gotten forced out, there would have been no ‘you’ to come to.”

“Hm. I suppose that’s true,” Takemi replied. “As much as medicine is a science, a lot of it is right place, right time too. I know some horrific stories of wrong place, wrong time,” Ren’s eyes widened, “but I’m not going to share those with you. Honestly, you need a pretty strong constitution to get into medicine.”

“I’ll say,” Ren remarked. “I’ve only been a guinea pig, and that kept taking the wind out of my sails.”

Takemi chuckled. She paused. “You know, the hospital has offered to reinstate me after the Oyamada fiasco.”

Ren grew curious. “What did you say?”

“I’m still thinking about it,” Takemi answered. “I’m weighing my options. There was a time where I would have jumped on that opportunity. But now, well, I have this place. I have patients who are relying on me. As much as this was a forced transfer, it’s starting to feel like home.”

Ren chuckled. “I know how you feel. And hey, this might help you make a decision: I’m staying.”

Takemi was surprised. “Hm,” she smiled. “Well, I can’t just say no to my favorite guinea pig, now can I?”

“Hm hm,” Ren chuckled.

“But in all seriousness,” Takemi said, concerning Ren, “I still need to think about things.”

“Oh?” Ren wondered.

Takemi nodded. “The hospital provides a lot of opportunities and equipment to develop new medicines and help people. Any doctor worth their salt would be a fool to reject that.”

“I see,” Ren said.

“So, that’s why I’m still thinking,” Takemi said. “Do you have any insight?”

Ren thought about it for a moment. “Well… I do know what it’s like to want to help as many people as possible. But I’ve also learned that no one can do everything alone. Sometimes other people can do things you can’t, and in turn, you do things for them that they can’t do. I know it seems a bit vague, but that’s what I think.”

“I see,” Takemi said. “Thank you. I think I’m this much closer to making a decision.”

Ren smiled. “Glad I can be of assistance.”

“I think that’s a bit redundant at this point,” Takemi said. “I mean, if you weren’t glad to be of assistance, you’d have bolted after the first drug trial.” The two women shared a laugh.

Death-Tae Takemi: Rank 9

Takemi looked at Ren. “In any case, are you looking to make a purchase today?”

“Of course,” Ren said. She went in and restocked some medicine.

Later in the evening, Haru messaged the group chat.

Haru: My servants informed me that Makoto’s sister is stopping by to interview me tomorrow.

Makto: Huh?!

Haru: They told me that she wants to talk to me about the case.

Ryuji: Hold on, what DO you know about the case?

Ryuji: I mean, besides what you know from us?

Ryuji: It just seems weird that she'd want to interview you.

Yusuke: Well, she is Okumura’s daughter.

Yusuke: It’d make sense she’d know something.

Lena: Yeah. Goro has said “even the smallest things can break a case wide open.”

Futaba: Do you not want us to come over?

Haru: No, I do.

Haru: I just wanted to give you a heads up.

Ren: Good call.

Ren: At this point, we don’t have the luxury of putting things aside.

Ren: We have a lot on our plate, so we need to work on what we can when we can.

Sumire: Well put!

Jose: What are you going to say?

Haru: It depends on what she asks.

Ann: Makoto, do you have any idea what she’d ask?

Makoto: Unfortunately, no.

Makoto: And it’s not like I can ask her.

Ann: I see.

Haru: I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Haru: I’ll be careful, but I should tell her something.

Haru: I mean, the more she knows, the closer she’ll get to the truth, right?

Lena: Right!

Makoto: That’s the hope anyways.

Makoto: My sister can be a little stubborn, so getting through to her might not be easy.

Ren: Well, we’ll just have to try.

Ren: Anyways, see you all tomorrow then.

Ren put her phone away.

Ren entered Leblanc to see Sojiro cooking, but no one else was there. “Ah, good, you’re here,” Sojiro said, noticing her presence. “Can you message Futaba to come over? Something important’s happening.”

Ren was unsure, but nodded. “Uh, sure.”

She got out her phone.

Ren: Sojiro wants you to come over.

Futaba: What’s this about?

Ren: He wouldn’t say.

Ren: He just said it was important.

Futaba: Alright.

Futaba: If Sojiro’s asking, it has to be important.

Futaba: I’ll be over soon.

Ren: Want me to pick you up?

Futaba: Nah.

Ren: Very well.

Ren: Seeya!

A few minutes later, Futaba showed up. “Hey there!” she said.

“Hey,” Sojiro greeted back.

“Sooooooo, what’s up?” Futaba asked.

Sojiro sighed. “So, you know how your uncle called child services?” Futaba and Ren nodded. “Well, they’re coming here tonight.”

Ren was befuddled. “Why not your place?”

“I figure this was easier,” Sojiro said. “After all, you’re not quite settled in just yet.”

“Right,” Ren chuckled.

“They agreed to meet with me here,” Sojiro said. “I just thought we could have dinner as a family tonight while we wait.”

“Sounds like a plan to me!” Futaba said.

“Very well,” Sojiro said. He made dinner for the three of them, and gave out some food for Morgana. Together, they enjoyed a nice meal.

A little later, there was a knock. “Come in! Door’s open!” Sojiro called. Two professional-looking people came in. “I take it you’re with child services?”

“That’s correct,” the woman said. “We received a report, and we need to talk.”

“I've been informed as such,” Sojiro said. Ren and Futaba got up, and Futaba took a seat next to Sojiro, while Ren pulled up a stool. “Have a seat.”

The child services agents sat across from Sojiro and Futaba. “Before we continue,” the man said, “the report we’ve received was rescinded.”

Everyone was shocked. “Really?!” Sojiro said aloud.

The man nodded. “Although, despite this, we still have to follow through.”

“I see,” Sojiro said.He glanced over at Futaba and Ren. Ren played it cool, while Futaba nervously chuckled.

“So, why don’t we talk about Futaba first?” the woman suggested. Sojiro nodded. “According to the report, you’ve been treating her badly, and she’s been too afraid to do anything. Now, while it was rescinded, we have to ask, is any of that true?”

“Er, well…” Sojiro said.

“I was,” Futaba said “I barely left my room for a long time. But it wasn't because of Sojiro! I was just griefstriken over my mother’s death. Sojiro did everything in his power to help me!

“I see,” the woman said. “So, if you were to choose where you wanted to live, at least for the foreseeable future…?”

Futaba nodded. “It would be with Sojiro.” Sojiro was shocked. A mild blush came across his face.

“And how are things now?” the woman asked.

“Better,” Futaba said.

“Having Ren around really helped the situation,” Sojiro added.

“I see,” the woman said.

“That brings us ont Ren,” the man said. “The report says you punch someone. Is this true?”

“Nope,” Ren answered.

“He fell,” Sojiro clarified.

“I see,” the man said. “And Mr. Sakura, how would you say her parole is going.”

Sojiro smirked. “It’s going swimmingly. In fact, after consulting her parents, we’ve decided she’s staying here after her parole is up.”

“Oh,” the man said, surprised. “That is a big step.”

“And one certainly not to be taken likely,” the woman added.

Ren nodded. “It’s true. Ever since coming here, I’ve felt like a whole new person. I didn’t want to give that up, so after talking with Sojiro and my parents about it, I’m moving in permanently.”

“Well that’s wonderful,” the woman said.

“However, there’s still the matter of your parole officer,” the man said. “Or, lack thereof.”

Just then, a man with messy blonde hair, a blue collared shirt, black jeans, and purple-rimmed glasses walked in. He yawned. “Can I get a coffee?”

“Uhhhh, sorry, we’re close for the moment,” Sojiro said. “I swore I flipped the sign.”

“It said ‘closed’ when we arrived,” the woman said.

“Did it?” the man said. “Ugh, I’m so tired from the move I guess I didn’t notice. Oh, but since I’m here, can you help me?” Everyone was confused. “I’m looking for a man named Sojiro Sakura.”

Everyone was shocked. “That would be me,” Sojiro said.

“Oh!” this new man said. “I see.” He took out a police badge. “Officer Jin Hayashi. I’m the new parole officer for Miss Ren Amamiya.”

“Hi,” Ren greeted.

“Oh. Hi,” Jim said. He turned back to Sojiro. “Anyways, I’m gonna need your contact information.”

“Of course,” Sojiro said. “Um, maybe it’s better if you have that coffee.”

“That would be excellent," Jin said.

Sojiro turned to the child services agents. “Do you mind?”

The two of them looked at each other. “I think we’re done here anyway,” the man said.

“Yes, it’s clear to us that Mr. Sakura is taking excellent care of the two of you,” the woman said. “The initial report was fraudulent, and everything can continue as is.”

“‘As is’, huh,” Sojiro remarked. “Well, thank you.”

“Thank you,” the man said. Sojiro shook their hands, and the child services agents left.

Sojiro then got up to make officer Jin a coffee. Once served, he said “Thanks,” and he started drinking. “AH!”

“So, you say you moved?” Sojiro wondered.

Jin nodded. “From Kyoto.”

“I see,” Sojiro said, “Well, I can assure you, Ren has been nothing but wonderful since coming here.”

“I believe that,” Jin said. “From what I’ve read, she’s doing exemplary.” Sojiro nodded. “I do expect reports, but I tend to be a little more hands off. Give people the freedom to either grow or fall.”

Sojiro smirked. “I see. You’re an odd one, you know that?”

“Trust me, I’ve been told that more times than I can count,” Officer Jin said.

Sojiro nodded. “Anyway, here’s my contact information.”

Jin took it and put it in his phone. “Thanks.” He took another drink. “You know, I just said I was hands off, but I might have to come back for this coffee.”

“Well, don’t be a stranger,” Sojiro remarked.

“And you should try the curry,” Ren added.

“Curry, eh?” Jin said. “Hm. Interesting. I wonder how it compares to Kyoto curry.”

“THIS curry is second to none,” Futaba chimed in.

“I see,” Jin said. “Well, now I’m intrigued. But not now.” He handed Sojiro some money. “Keep the change.” He got up. “Later!” He left.

Sojiro grinned. “Hm. What an interesting evening.”

“I’ll say, Futaba said.

“But it all worked out, right?” Ren said.

Sojiro smiled. “Yeah.” He looked up. “You know, a part of me felt like I had to help out to clear my conscience of some of the things I did in my past. But after doing it for so long, I feel a sense of joy out of it. And that joy is seeing you two growing into wonderful young ladies.” Futaba and Ren chuckled.

“I mean it,” Sojiro continued. “I didn’t think I wanted people to depend on me, but after looking after you two, I realize that not only is it rewarding, but I’m depending on you as well. Without you, I’d give into my worst vices and just be some jackass. But I’m glad I’m not that. So thank you.”

Futaba nodded. “Thank you.”

Ren nodded. “Thank you.”

Hierophant-Sojiro Sakura: Rank 9

“Well, it’s getting late,” Sojiro said. “I think it’s about time we turn in for the night.”

Futaba yawned. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Ren said. She waved goodbye to the two of them going back home, knowing that this would be one of the last times she’d have to stay behind. Still, as much as she liked the attic, she loved a home more, and she couldn’t wait to live with Sojiro and Futaba.

Chapter 177: Pray For The Wicked

Chapter Text

Saturday night. Iwai is sitting in the diner. He looked like he was waiting for someone. He didn’t eat a lot, but felt it was rude to not have anything. “Hmmm,” he groaned.

Just then, the door opened. Iwai looked at the entrance. Sure enough, it was his old mafia buddy, Tsuda. Tsuda found him and walked over. “Hey,” he greeted.

“You’re late,” Iwai pestered. “I said ‘6;30’.”

“It’s only 6:50,” Tsuda said. “Besides, I was busy, and you kind of called this last minute.”

“Busy with what?” Iwai asked.

“You know,” Tsuda said. “This whole fiasco requires time to clean up.”

“Gotcha,” Iwai said.

“I know it’s been a while since you were with us, but this kind of thing doesn’t go away overnight,” Tsuda informed him.

“Well, you did jump into this thing headfirst?” Iwai chastised.

“Heh,” Tsuda chuckled. “I’ve been doing that more since you left. You always kept me steady.”

Iwai chuckled back. “I thought you would have learned your lesson by now. But I guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

Tsuda had a laugh, but then got serious. “Why’d you call me here?”

“Hm?” Iwai reacted. “I wanted to thank you. For saving my son.”

Tsuda leaned in. “I know you. That’s not your only reason.”

“Hm. Like I said, old dogs, new tricks,” Iwai said. He sighed. “Listen, I appreciate you, and a lot of the guys on the crew, but I don’t want to be dragged down unnecessarily. As willing as I can be, I need to think about my future, my shop, my kid. And I feel like if I’m too tied up in my old ways, I can’t focus on what’s in front of me. I’ll still help where I can, but make sure it’s reasonable.”

“I see,” Tsuda said. “You know, I felt like I was losin’ my edge. That I couldn’t keep up. I thought that perhaps you still had that edge, and that coming to you, even forcefully, would help me get it back. But now we’ve bungled this whole operation, partially because of your reluctance.”

“Well, you know I lost my edge a long time ago,” Iwai said.

“Did you?” Tsuda said.

“What do you mean?” Iwai asked.

“Well…” Tsuda said. “I saw how hard you fought for your son. Or that girl that works for you. I don’t think you’ve lost your edge one bit. You're just pointing in a different direction.”

“Huh, Iwai said, reflecting on that.

“In all honesty, it was easy to let you leave,” Tsuda said. “I never felt like your heart was in it 100%.”

“Huh?” Iwai wondered.

“You just wanted a place to fit in,” Tsuda said. “You didn’t care where that was, and the mafia was the only place who could take you. But then you carved your own place to fit in. Gotta say, that’s pretty remarkable.”

“I…never knew you felt like that,” Iwai said.

“Well…since you left, there has been some distance,” Tsuda replied.

“I guess,” Iwai said. “Say, if you’re feeling like you're running out of steam, you wanna jump ship as well? I’m sure ol’ Sashimi wouldn’t mind helping out one more person,” he said, gesturing towards the kitchen.

Tsuda shook his head. “Nah. My place is with the yakuza; for better or worse. I’m not like you, or Sashimi. I’m committed.”

“I see,” Iwai said.

“But I respect that about you,” Tsuda said. “You only play by your own rules. You do what’s right by you. And even though we’re now worlds apart, we’re still brothers. I’ll try to keep you out of things.”

“Thanks,” Iwai said. “But I will say, I do miss our little talks. Maybe doing something like this every once in a while wouldn’t be so bad.”

“You think?” Tsuda said. Iwai nodded. “Well… If I have the time, I’m sure we can schedule a dinner or something, say once a month.”

“I’d like that,” Iwai answered.

“Great,” Tsuda said. “And just remember, if you’re ever in trouble, you’ve got friends on the other side.”

“Hm. I’ll keep that in mind,” Iwai chuckled. He looked at the door again. “Speaking of, don’t look now, but some cops came in.”

“What do you think they want?” Tsuda asked.

“They’ve been harassing me a little,” Iwai said. “Think you can help take the heat off?”

Tsuda smiled. “With pleasure.” He stood up and slammed his hands on the table. “Alright Iwai! It seems like you’ve lost your edge completely! I don’t even recognize you anymore! And all that stuff I said, just forget it! You’d just screw it up! Gah! I can’t even look at you now!” He flailed his arms and left.

The cops who were investigating Iwai were stunned. They looked at Tsuda, and then back at Iwai. After a minute, the more aggressive cop sighed and said “Fine. I’ll let it go But the moment he does something…” The two cops left. Iwai smiled. He took out his phone.

Iwai: Thanks.

Brother Tsuda: Anytime.

Chapter 178: Mitigation

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Sunday, The Phantom Thieves gathered at Haru’s house. When they got there, Haru greeted them all. “Welcome.”

“Woah,” Ryuji said.

“Follow me,” Haru instructed. She led them to the study. “So, should we study first, or discuss Akechi?”

“I think Akechi may be a little more pertinent,” Morgana said.

“As much as I want to encourage studying, I agree,” Makoto said. “Besides, I’ve been studying a lot. And I can assure you all have been too, right?”

“Well…” Ann said, nervously.

“Before we disappoint Makoto,” Ren said, “let’s get down to brass tacks.”

“OK,” Ann said. Makoto groaned.

“So, to recap,” Ren began, “Akechi suspects that I’m a Phantom Thief, but has no proof to back up his claim.”

“But there’s a chance he could find something,” Futaba said.

“Indeed,” Lena agreed. “He’s a very smart detective.”

“True, but,” Ren continued, “he offered to work together in order to figure out what’s really going on.”

“Riiiiiiiight,” Ryuji said. “Not that I don’t trust him, but I’m not entirely on board with telling him.”

“True,” Yusuke said. “We might figure out something in the immediate future, but we might not be able to achieve our end goal if Akechi knows who we are.”

“So what do we do?” Jose said.

“If there was a way to cooperate while still keeping our distance…” Sumire said.

Mogana got an idea. “Maybe there is!”

“What is it?” Ann asked.

“Futaba, would it be possible to message Akechi anonymously like you messaged us?”

“Well, yeah,” Futaba said. “I’d need his number though.”

“I have it,” Ren, Lena, and Makoto said. The three chuckled nervously.

“OK…” Ryuji said.

“Well, in any case, with the number, contacting him will be simple,” Futaba said.

“Yes, but what do we say?” Yusuke asked. “We are aware that it doesn’t stop with the director, but we don’t know where it stops. Furthermore, we don’t want to just tell him about the other universe.”

“Yeah, I don’t think he’d believe it,” Ann said.

“Well, he might…” Lena said. “But that might also be a problem.”

“It’s not just about what we say,” Morgana added, “but when.”

“He’s right,” Makoto said. “The longer we wait, the less room it gives us to operate.”

“But too soon, and he could deduce that this is in response to calling me out,” Ren retorted.

“I feel like he’s gonna be suspicious no matter what,” Sumire pointed out.

“I think so too,” Futaba said. “From what I’ve seen, he’s not the type to give up easily.”

Yusuke got an inspired look. “I think I have an idea.”

“Oh?” Haru wondered.

“If we can’t throw him off all the way, then a partial distraction could work,” Yusuke suggested.

“Perhaps,” Makoto said. “But how?”

“Hm. Isn’t it obvious?” Yusuke said. “We have midterms coming up, right?” Everyone nodded. “Except Futaba.”

“M-Me?!” Futaba said.

“We already agreed you’d contact him,” Yusuke pointed out. “If you contact him during midterms, there’s a chance that it might take the heat off of Ren just a little bit.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Haru said.

“I dunno…” Futaba mumbled.

“It may be just the thing we need,” Makoto said.

“You can do it  Futaba!” Lena cheered.

“Are you sure?” Futaba asked. “I mean, I thought we could do this together.”

“Don’t worry,” Morgana called out. “I can be there as well. I don’t have midterms.”

“True, but you’ve been an asset to helping me during exams,” Ren said.

“Wait, what?!” Makoto reacted.

“You don’t need the help,” Morgana said.

“True, but I appreciate it,” Ren siad.

“I think Futaba would appreciate it more,” Morgana countered.

“True,” Ren said. “OK.”

“What do you think, Futaba?” Morgana asked.

“Well… Having someone else there to assist would be nice,” Futaba said. “OK!”

“Great!” Morgana said.

“This is turning into a very productive meeting,” Sumire pointed out.

“But there’s still the matter of what we tell Akechi,” Jose said.

“That’s a good point,” Sumire said. “If we play our hand too much, it might give Ren away regardless.”

“Well hold on,” Lena said. “Goro has gone on TV to say that he’s going to keep investigating. If we frame it as an invitation rather than accepting his, that might be a good place to start.”

“But how much do we tell him?” Ryuji asked.

“I think part of it depends on how he responds,” Ann pointed out.

“Oh yeah,” Ryuji agreed.

“But we still have to give him something to work with,” Makoto pointed out.

“Well…” Haru thought, “...since we know that the SIU director isn’t at the top of the chain, maybe we can ask him to keep up the pressure on him.”

“That’s not a bad idea,” Sumire said.

“Plus, since he is connected, any information Akechi can find on the director is useful,” Jose said.

“That’s also true,” Ren said.

“But the big question is should we tell him about our plan to bring Makoto’s sister on side?” Ann wondered.

“That is a good question,” Haru said.

“I think we may have to,” Makoto said. “As much as I hate to admit it, Akechi has my sister’s ear. If he can convince her that she’s in danger, she might be more willing to cooperate.”

“That sounds reasonable,” Yusuke said.

“But it could also blow up in our faces,” Makoto said. “My sister has a tendency to be stubborn.”

“Hmmm. That is quite a pickle,” Yusuke said.

“Well, here’s what I think,” Ryuji interjected. “If Eris is going to force someone to go after her, then maybe telling her might not be a bad idea. If she’s prepared to look out for some strange individual, then maybe we can get into her palace without the threat of a crusader.”

“That’s…actually some really strong reasoning on your part, Ryuji,” Makoto said, impressed.

“Eh heh, thanks,” Ryuji replied.

“So, it sounds like we have a plan,” Ren said. “Anything else worth mentioning?”

“Not that I can think of,” Yusuke said.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “And again, how Akechi responds is important for us moving forward.”

“Alright then,” Ren said. “Now with that out of the way,” she pulled out a notebook, “let’s get to studying!” There was some groaning, but they knew it had to be done.

A little while later, one of Haru’s maids knocked and opened the door. “Miss Haru,” she said, “Prosecutor Niijima is here.”

Haru nodded. “Thank you.” She stood up. “Please excuse me for a moment.” Everyone else nodded as Haru left.

She approached the entrance and saw Sae. Sae noticed her as well. “Hello,” Sae said. “I take it you are Haru Okumura.”

Haru nodded. “That’s correct.”

“Do you know why I’m here?” Sae asked.

Haru nodded again. “My staff informed me.”

“Very well,” Sae said. “Where do you wish to meet?”

“The living room is fine,” Haru said.

“Very well,” Sae said. “Please. Lead the way.” Haru nodded again and led Sae into the living room.

Haru sat down in her father’s chair. “Please, have a seat.”

Sae was a little awkward about the offer, but took a seat on the couch. “I guess I’ll get straight to the point,” she told her. “How familiar are you with your father’s business dealings?”

Haru frowned. “Not very. I know they occur, and I know some of the people involved, but I was not privy to a lot of the ins and outs of the company until, well, until my father’s change of heart.”

“What happened after your father’s change of heart?” Sae said.

“He decided to give me his stake in the company,” Haru explained.

“He wasn’t planning on doing that before?” Sae wondered.

Haru shook her head. “Before his change of heart, he was arranging a marriage. I think he wanted my former fiance at the time to run the company.”

“Why do you think he didn’t want you?” Sae asked.

“Well…” Haru said. “I think it may be because I’m a woman.”

Sae clenched her fist. “I see. So, you have no idea about what your father was doing?”

“That’s…not entirely true,” Haru said. “I had a level of awareness. However…I was too scared to do anything. As bad as the things I’ve heard were, I couldn’t do anything because I was too afraid of what my father would do if I said anything. I know that’s selfish, but…”

Sae grew stern. “It’s not selfish.” Haru looked up at her. “You were just protecting yourself.”

“But if I spoke up,” Haru replied, “then maybe others wouldn’t have to suffer.”

“You told me that your father kept you at a distance,” Sae said. “I don’t think he would have respected your input anyway.” Haru looked horrified. Sae noticed this “I apologize. I don’t mean to be harsh.”

“It’s alright,” Haru said. “You’re not wrong in your assumption. But I feel bad for not at least trying.”

Sae sighed. “I know it can be hard. Doing nothing is painful, but in some instances you don’t have much of a choice.”

“How do you deal with it?” Haru asked.

Sae took a deep breath. “I take comfort in doing what I can. Granted I’m in a position where I can do a lot, but even the smallest gesture of kindness to someone can help make the world a better place.”

“I see,” Haru said.

“I will say though,” Sae said, “now that you are in a position to do something, I suggest you try to make things right.”

“Of course,” Haru said. “That’s going to be my first priority.”

“I’m glad to hear it,” Sae said. Haru chuckled. “However,” Haru grew concerned, “there are going to be some people who won’t take even the kindest gesture simply because of what your father did.”

“Oh,” Haru said.

“Again, I don’t mean to discourage you,” Sae reiterated, “but it’s important to understand that some people will feel too betrayed to accept anything, no matter what.”

“I see,” Haru said. “I…think I understand. But that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try.”

Sae smiled. “I’m glad to hear that.” Haru giggled. “Now then, I was told that you found the Phantom Thieves’ calling card.”

“That is correct,” Haru replied.

“What can you tell me about that?” Sae inquired.

“Well, not much,” Haru said. “I found it in the letterbox after I came home.”

“Hmmm,” Sae pondered. “So whoever delivered it has to have known your address.”

“I…guess so…” Haru said, confused.

“Tell me,” Sae asked, “have you seen anyone suspicious following you home?”

“Not that I can think of,” Haru said. “Ever since I was a little girl, I’ve been told to be aware of my surroundings due to my status. So I tend to be a little more vigilant than the average person But it is possible that I could have missed something.”

“I see,” Sae relied. “Just as an aside, do you have the means to protect yourself? I’m sure I don’t need to tell you, but being a woman can be dangerous sometimes.”

Haru nodded. “I am stronger than I look. Plus, I have a can of pepper spray I carry with me.”

“I see,” Sae said. “A few more things.” She took out a picture of the SIU director and showed it to Haru. “This man is Hiroto Ono. He is the director of the Special Investigations Unit, and was named by your father as the person he was in contact with in order to carry out the mental shutdowns he wanted. Are you familiar with this person?”

Haru nodded. “While my father was recovering from having his heart changed, he stopped by, saying he was an acquaintance.”

“Did he say anything?” Sae asked.

“He just gave his well wishes,” Haru informed her. “He also baked a cake for him.”

Sae was intrigued. “A cake?”

“Correct,” Haru said.

“Did your father ever eat this cake?” Sae wondered.

Haru shook her head. “After receiving it, I thought about it, and had some concerns. I decided to throw it out.”

“Concerns? What concerns?” Sae asked.

“I…can’t be sure,” Haru said. “Something just felt wrong. I didn’t have any evidence that something was wrong,. It was just my gut feeling.”

“Hmmm,” Sae pondered. “And you said you threw it out?”

“Correct,” Haru said.

“Well, if we had any of it, we could run some tests to see if there was anything inside,” Sae said.

“I’m sorry,” Haru apologized.

“Don’t be,” Sae said. “From my understanding, there was no way you could have known about that.”

Haru still pouted. “I know. But still…”

Sae grew serious. “You can’t keep blaming yourself for these things. It’s not like you can change them. The best thing you can do is move forward.”

“Hm. You’re right,” Haru agreed, cheering up. “Thanks.”

Sae smiled. “Thank you. With this information, I’m more well-armed in what to do.”

Haru was surprised. “I…didn’t give you a lot to work with.”

“Trust me, every little bit helps,” Sae assured. Haru nodded. Sae stood up. “Well thank you for your time. I should get going.”

Haru stood and bowed. “Thank you for your advice and dedication.”

“Of course,” Sae said. “Anything to help, right?” She and Haru giggled. “Thanks again.” She started to leave.

“Bye!” Haru called out. Once Sae left, she rejoined her friends with renewed spirits.

Once Sae was outside, she let out a sigh. “Classic Sae: I can tell everyone everything is OK except for myself.” She clenched her fist. “But still, I’m almost there. I just have to keep going.” She headed out, preparing herself for what was to come next.”

Notes:

There's so much I want to say, but it feels like saying anything at this point would tip my hand. We are getting more into story stuff, and a lot more is on the horizon, so that may be why. But we have to get through midterms and then some more things before other things happen, but I promise you, everything will be something wonderful.

Having said that, I might not update as frequently for a bit because I wanna do other stuff. But who knows? I've said stuff like this a lot and have come back sooner than anticipated. But either way, thanks for reading so far. And thanks for holding out for the next chapter, whenever that may be. Enjoy.

Chapter 179: The Ballad of Sae Niijima

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ren woke up Monday morning. She looked around the attic she’d been calling hers since April. But today was the start of Midterms, and once that was over, she’d have a new room all to her own. She smiled. “Just a little longer. Thank you.” She got changed, ate, and headed off to school.

Meanwhile, Sae decided to start her week interviewing Kunikazu Okumura. She waited for him to come, looking at her faint reflection in the separating glass. It suddenly flashed to that dark reflection of her she saw in her dream. Sae became alarmed. She rubbed her eyes and then saw only herself again. She sighed, relieved.

Okumura came in, sitting face to face with Sae. “Hello,” Okumura said.

“Hello,” Sae replied. “I’ll get straight to the point. I want to talk about your confession.”

“You want to know if I’m telling the truth, correct?” Okumura asked.

“That’s correct,” Sae said.

“Well, as I'm sure you’re aware,” Okumura began, “I had my heart changed by the Phantom Thieves. And just as every time before, I have spoken nothing but the truth.”

“We’ll see,” Sae said. “Now then, did Mr. Ono find you, or did you reach out to Mr. Ono?” Okumura hesitated. “Well?!”

“Sorry!” Okumura answered. “It’s complicated. I came to him looking for help breaking into the political world, and he made the offer of these ‘mental shutdowns’ to me.”

“I see,” Sae replied. “How long ago was this?”

“About two years ago,” Okumura answered. 

“Hm. Interesting,” Sae replied. “Do you remember anything else about that meeting?”

Okumura nodded. “He said it was the power to change the world, and that only a select few can harness it.”

“Why did he trust you with such power?” Sae asked.

“Well, when I came into his office asking for political help, I offered him an enormous sum of money,” Okumura said. “I figured that he thought he could use this wealth to change the world as well.”

“Why didn’t you say no?” Sae wondered.

Okumura hesitated. “...At the time, I was a greedy businessman. Nothing more, nothing less. I saw it as a good business deal. If they really had that power, I wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of it. Besides, if it could help me, who was I to say no?”

“Hm,” Sae responded.

“Of course, I regret it now,” Okumura continued. “But I suppose it’s a little too late for that.”

Sae was reminded of her talk with Haru the previous day. “Mr. Okumura, are you aware that Mr. Ono tried to give you a cake?”

Okumura was surprised. “He did?” Sae nodded. “This is the first time I’m hearing about this.”

“He gave it to your daughter,” Sae said. “She had a bad feeling about it, so she threw it out.”

“I see…” Okumura said.

“Do you know why Mr. Ono would do this?” Sae asked.

“If I had to guess,” Okumura answered, “it was probably a ploy to get rid of me once and for all.”

“How do you figure that?” Sae asked.

“I imagine the cake was similar to what they asked me to do with Starfall Coffee,” Okumura explained.

“Which was…?” Sae inquired.

“I’m not entirely sure of the specifics,” Okumura explained, “but it worked basically like this: They gave me a special ingredient, as well as components to add to the coffee machines. They used the coffee machines to spy on people, and whenever someone they wanted to eliminate came in for a coffee, they’d activate a switch which added their special ingredient to the coffee. It doesn’t taste like anything, but it guarantees that whoever drinks it will become a victim.”

“I see,” Sae said. “That sounds very complex.”

“It’s even more complicated than you think,” Okumura said. “They didn’t tell me everything about it.”

Sae nodded. “Intriguing. Just one more thing: Do you trust your daughter?”

Okumura was surprised by this question. “Of course.”

“When I spoke with her yesterday, she said that before your change of heart, you didn’t seem to.

“I did!” Okumura protested. “Or at least…I thought I did.” He sighed. “I didn’t make her the inheritor to my company because…I didn’t trust the world. A female CEO of one of the largest companies in Japan? The business world would eat her alive! I couldn’t do that to her.”

Sae was reminded of herself in that moment. She was just as willing to protect Makoto from the dangers they knew all too well. Sae simply smiled and said “Your daughter is stronger than you give her credit for.”

Okumura smiled, but his smile was more sad. “I…guess I didn’t notice. Perhaps I was too afraid to notice.”

Sae stood up. “Thank you for your time.”

“I’ve got plenty of it,” Okumura joked.

“I’ll contact you if I need anything else,” Sae finished. She walked out.

Okumura sat there for a minute. “...I think I sensed a kindred spirit,” he remarked. “Although I don’t know if that’s a good thing.” He got up and was escorted back to his cell.

The next day, as Sae was just about to leave, Riko stood up and said “Wait!” Sae looked at her. “Um, may I come along as well?”

Sae thought about it. “Sure.”

Riko rushed over to her. “Thanks.”

Sae was the tiniest bit flustered, but held it together. “Just so you know, we’re going to interview the director. I’m bringing you along because he and I have a rapport. I could get caught up in it, so having you nearby as an anchor is helpful. But he’s a very smart man. He might try to catch you off guard. If it becomes too much, you may leave.”

Riko shrugged. “I’m sure it’ll be fine,” she said. “Besides, I have you too.”

A light pink blush came over Sae for a second before she shook it off. “Yes, well…thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Riko said. They headed out.

Once they were let into director Ono’s house, he looked up at them and said “Took you long enough.” Sae glared at him. “Please, have a seat.” He was sitting in a chair, while Sae and Riko sat on the couch. “I take it I’m not the first person you’ve been in contact with.”

“That is correct,” Sae answered. “I see you’ve posted bail.”

“I have the right to,” Ono countered.

“Of course,” Sae said somewhat bitterly. “Anyways, let’s begin.”

“Very well,” the director said. “I’ve got nothing to hide. Ask away.”

Sae nodded. “Let’s start with Okumura’s confession: He told Japan that you’re the one responsible for the mental shutdowns. Is this true?”

“Straight to it, eh?” Ono said. “Well the answer to that is no."

Sae and Riko were stunned. “‘No’?” Sae repeated.

“No,” director Ono stated again.

“So, who is?” Sae asked.

“While I could coax the answer out of you,” Ono explained, “I’m afraid that we just don’t have the time for that, so I’ll just tell you: It’s The Phantom Thieves.”

Sae and Riko were even more shocked. “The Phantom Thieves?” Sae exclaimed.

“Are we going to keep doing this every time?” director Ono said, sarcastically.

“Well…this certainly is a development,” Sae explained.

Ono nodded. “They contacted me two years ago to start sewing the seeds of chaos. They told me they found Wakaba Ishiki’s research and used it to kill her, and if I didn’t follow orders, I’d face a similar fate.”

“So, why are they acting like heroes now?” Sae asked.

“It’s a facade,” Ono explained. “Once everything crumbles, they’re the authority most people will trust, and thus they’ll begin their iron-fisted rule of Japan.”

“I see,” Sae said. “How involved were you in the process exactly?”

“What do you mean?” Ono asked.

“How much of what you did was The Phantom Thieves’ ideas versus your own?” Sae clarified.

“I see,” Ono said. “Well, they only asked me to get stuff done. They didn’t care how, as long as they got what they wanted.”

“So, the plot to use Starfall Coffee as a method for inciting mental shutdowns was your idea then?” Sae asked.

“Well, it was a stroke of luck on my part,” Ono said. “Okumura came to me asking for advice. I figured The Phantom Thieves and I could gain a lot from having him on side.”

“So it was your idea?” Sae said.

“Well, there was some dialogue between us,” Ono said. “But the initial idea was mine.”

“How many people have you offered these services to?” Sae asked.

“I don’t know the exact number,” Ono said. “But I think it was about a few dozen.”

“Even with repeat customers, that number seems low,” Sae said.

“I only assisted,” Ono explained. “The Phantom Thieves were also taking it upon themselves to commit these acts for their ends.”

“Hm,” Sae grunted.

“Please understand, I wouldn’t have done this had I not been forced to,” Ono said.

Sae nodded. “Do you have a list of people you’ve given these services to?”

“Unfortunately, no,” Ono said. “I’ve been doing a lot to cover my tracks.”

“Some good that did you,” Riko remarked snidely under her breath.

Sae glanced at Riko, and then turned back to Ono. “Well, if you have anything else for me, you know how to get in contact.”

Ono nodded. “And you know how to contact me.” Sae got up and started heading out. Riko then got up and quickly followed her.

A little ways out, Riko stopped and asked “You don’t really believe the director, do you?”

Sae stooped and slightly turned back. “Whether or not I believe him, I still have to investigate his claim to see if it’s true.”

“But…it doesn’t make sense,” Riko countered.

“I know you have sympathies towards The Phantom Thieves,” Sae said, “but Mr. Ono’s story makes sense. You can choose not to believe it, but I’m the one that has to prove it. I am on the side of truth, no matter how hard it can seem at times.” Sae continued walking.

Riko stood still, quietly saying to herself “I just hope truth is on your side,” before continuing to walk behind her boss.

Meanwhile, in Futaba’s room, Futaba was a little nervous. Morgana noticed this.”Hey,” Morgana said. “You can do this.”

“I know I can!” Futaba barked. “But…”

“Listen, I know it’s a little nerve-racking,” Morgana told her, “but think of it as a house-warming present for Ren.”

“Right…” Futaba said. “I can’t be nervous at a time like this.”

“Sure you can,” Morgan replied. Futaba looked at him curiously. “I mean, it’s only natural. Ren gets nervous like this all the time.”

“Really?” Futaba wondered.

Morgana smiled. “I’d thought you’d pick up on that with all the spying that you’ve done. But yeah. Ren gets nervous.”

“How does she get over it?” Futaba said.

“She knows everyone is counting on her,” Morgana said. “And she hates to disappoint.”

“Well, it’d take a whole lot to disappoint me!” Futaba said. Morgana grinned. “OK, I get it.”

Morgana chuckled. “I’m glad.”

Futaba chuckled back. “Well then, let’s get crackin’!” She got to work messaging Akechi.

Akechi was busy with finals, when he noticed his phone vibrating. He turned the sound off, so as not to bother anyone. He checked his phone discreetly, and was stunned at what he found.

???: Hello Detective.

???: This is Alibaba, contacting you on behalf of The Phantom Thieves.

???: Do you have a minute?

Akechi looked surprised. He looked up at the teacher observing the test. “Um, excuse me. Something work related came up just now. May I?”

“Of course,” the teacher responded enthusiastically.

“Thank you,” Akehi stood and bowed. “I’ll stay late today to finish up.” He left the room, and went out into the hall.

Goro: How brazen of you to contact me during midterms.

???: Is it midterms? I didn’t notice.

Goro: Why are you contacting me?

???: You wanted to cooperate, right?

Goro: I see. What do you have in mind?

???: We have two things we need you to do.

Goro: And what do I get out of it?

???: Huh?

Goro: I don’t exactly trust you.

Goro: How will I know this information is valuable to the case?

???: …

???: Alright! You want something? I’ll give you something.

???: There’s a figure out there even more powerful than the person masterminding this mental shutdown epidemic.

???: We The Phantom Thieves are the only people who can stop them.

???: We can’t do that if you know who we are and can’t act freely.

???: Do you understand?

Goro: …I do.

Goro: I never would have guessed.

Goro: But I’ll allow it. So long as what you have is good.

???: Of course it’s good. Don’t you trust me?

Goro: I just told you I didn’t.

Goro: But right now I believe you, and that’s what matters right now.

???: I guess that’s as good as I’m going to get.

???: OK, so, first off, the director isn’t at the top of this mental shutdown business.

Goro: So you want me to figure out who is?

???: If you can do that discreetly, maybe.

???: But publicly, we need you to put pressure on the director.

Goro: How come?

???: If they know that we’re on to them, the real mastermind will try to hide themselves.

???: So long as they’re still an unknown, they might let just enough slip to let us figure it out.

Goro: I see.

Goro: A classic bait-and-switch. How wonderful.

???: The second thing is, remember that figure I mentioned earlier? They’re going around corrupting people to target our bigger targets.

???: We know who we need to target next. We want you to inform them of the potential danger of someone acting strangely who might want revenge.

Goro: I see.

Goro: So those other people you mention in your calling cards…

???: Correct. They were targeting the people we targeted.

Goro: If you know who your next target is going to be, why not go now?

???: We need to look through some other possibilities first.

???: If we can avoid confrontation and get what we want, we’ll take that opportunity.

Goro: How eloquent.

Goro: I hope it doesn’t backfire.

???:With you working alongside us, I’m sure we’ll manage.

Goro: Of course.

Goro: So, who is the target?

???: Sae Niijima.

Akechi was stunned.

Goro: I see.

Goro: Mind telling me why?

???: There’s a bit of a complication to that.

???: But if we want a shot at who’s truly the mastermind behind the mental shutdowns, we need her on side.

Goro: Well, she can be stubborn.

Goro: But I’ll see what I can do.

???: Thanks.

???: I’ll reach out if we need anything else.

???: Ta ta!

Futaba deleted the text conversation before Akechi could respond.

Akechi was a little surprised by this form of techno-wizardry, but still, he smirked. He took out a notebook. On a page labeled “Phantom Thieves”, he already had Ren’s name written down there. He took out a pen and jotted down “Futaba Sakura - Known Aliases: Alibaba”.

“Hm,” Akechi smirked. “You’ve given me more than you could imagine. Thanks.” He put away his notebook, and went back to finishing his tests for the day.

He had to stay a little later to finish up the tests for that day. Once he was finally done, he apologized to the teacher, but they said it was alright. He walked out of school, and found a secluded area to make a call. “Hello?” the voice on the other end said.

“Pardon me,” Akechi replied, “but is there any one we can throw under the bus?”

“...Why are you asking that?” the voice asked.

“I was presented with the opportunity to get closer with The Phantom Thieves,” Akechi said. “But in order to do that, I need to sacrifice some of our pawns.”

“I see…” the voice said. “Are they onto me?”

“They haven’t a clue,” Akechi said.

“Hm. Very well,” the other voice said. “I’ll work on a list of names and give them to you soon.”

“Of course. Thank you,” Akechi replied. “I promise you won’t regret this.” He hung up.

Meanwhile, the man on the other end was a little concerned. He was an intense, bald man, wearing a black jacket and pants combo, with a white shirt, and sunglasses. “Hm. The Phantom Thieves HAVE to know that Ono is not the top dog. Perhaps they didn’t tell Akechi. Hm. I don’t like it.”

He looked at a stack of papers on his desk. The top sheet read “Countermeasure M.” “Well, there’s a plan in motion already. I like to think of myself as fair. If Akechi can’t get me anything concrete by the time this plan has taken full effect, then perhaps he’s outlived his usefulness. But he shouldn’t have anything to fear. So long as he’s truly working for me.”

The next day, Sae and Riko stopped at Shujin Academy. They went to the Principal’s office, where they found Mr. Arai setting things up. “Oh, Miss Niijima,” Mr. Arai said. “I was told you were coming.”

“Where’s Mr. Ogata?” Sae asked.

“He’s supervising some of the tests,” Mr. Arai. “Besides, if you’re going to be dealing with the school for an extended period of time, it’s better to talk to me at this point.” He noticed Riko. “Who is this, by the way?”

“Riko Sakurai,” she said, reaching her hand out. “Pleasure to meet you.” Mr. Arai shook hands with Riko.

“Riko is my assistant,” Sae said.

“I see,” Mr. Arai said, letting go. “Well, come on in, have a seat.” Mr. Arai sat at his desk, while Sae and Riko sat in chairs opposite of him. “So, how may I be of assistance?”

“To put it bluntly,” Sae said, “we have some suspicions that at least some members of The Phantom Thieves attend this school.”

“I see,” Mr. Arai said. “And what do you intend to do?”

“We wish to set up interviews to see if we can figure out who they might be,” Sae answered.

“Hm,” Mr. Arai said. “Pardon me for telling the prosecutor’s office what their job is, but shouldn’t you be more concerned about the SIU director?”

“I have multiple cases,” Sae said. “Besides, there is a connection between the mental shutdowns and The Phantom Thieves.”

“What kind of connection?” Mr. Arai asked.

“They have similar methodology,” Sae informed him.

Mr. Arai stared at her. “I know you’ve only had me in your first year in high school,” he said, “but I remember you well.”

“I’m flattered,” Sae said, trying to end the conversation there.

“However,” Mr. Arai said, “I didn’t expect you to give up on your dreams as much as you have.”

Sae grew angrier. “A lot has changed.”

“I know,” Mr. Arai said. “I can’t blame you.” Sae felt a little contempt in that statement. “I’ll let you have those interviews. On two conditions: One, you have to wait until midterms are done.”

"I can do that,” Sae said.

“And two, I need you to tell me you’re sure you’re doing the right thing,” Mr. Arai said.

Sae was stunned. “I beg your pardon?”

“I don’t have the fondest opinion of the justice system at the moment,” Mr. Arai said, “but I trust you. And if you can tell me that you’re sure you’re doing what’s right, I’ll trust you.”

Sae was a bit perplexed, but she took a deep breath, and said “I have the utmost confidence that I am doing the right thing.”

Mr. Arai nodded. “Very well. I’ll see you Friday.”

Sae stood up. “If all goes well, yes.” She reached out her hand. Mr. Arai shook it. “Thank you.” Sae left.

Riko stood up. “Um, I apologize for her,” she said. “She’s under a lot of stress. I’m sure that-”

“It’s alright,” Mr. Arai said. “I understand.”

“Really?” Riko said. She bowed. “Thank you.”

Mr. Arai nodded. “Just be there for her when she needs it.”

“Yes, of course,” Riko said. “Thank you.”

“RIKO!” Sae shouted.

“Coming!” Riko shouted back. She left.

Mr. Ari pondered for a moment. “I feel like I’ve seen Riko before… Well, that doesn’t matter now. What’s more important is that Sae does the right thing.” He looked up. “If she’s not, I want you to intervene, OK, Aki?”

Riko caught up with Sae, and they both started leaving “Um, if you don’t mind,” Riko said, “the energy of that meeting was a little intense. May I ask what that was about?”

“It’s a personal thing,” Sae explained. “It has nothing to do with work.”

“I see,” Riko said. “Well, as much as I hate to be a bother, I do think Mr. Arai has a point.” Sae stopped and looked at her. “I just…I just want you to be alright.”

Sae turned back. “I’ll be fine. I can handle it.”

“Of course,” Riko said. “And I’ll be there if you need anything.”

Sae smiled. “Thank you.” The two women left the school.

After midterms for the day, Ren went back up to the Leblanc attic. She was a little surprised to see the table set up, and two cartons of sushi on the table, alongside Morgana. “What’s all this?”

“Well, tonight’s the last night we’ll be roommates,” Morgana said. “I talked with Futaba to help set up this little celebration Just the two of us.” Ren smiled. “You didn’t need to do that,” Ren said.

“Sure, but I wanted to,” Morgana replied.

Ren giggled and sat down. “Thanks.” She started digging into her sushi. Morgana followed suit. Ren looked up. “You know, we’re still going to be in the same house. You can come in whenever. Well, mostly whenever.”

Morgana swallowed the sushi in his mouth. “I know. But it’s not the same. But I don’t mind. I’ve enjoyed watching you grow.”

“I was just going to say the same thing,” Ren said.

“Yeah,” Morgana said. “I know I can be a little moody sometimes.”

“I think we all are,” Ren retorted.

Morgana rolled his eyes. “But I really think that we bring out the best in each other. And while maybe it’s been a little difficult, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve been wondering what my purpose is for a while now. I’ve wanted something more than just being your assistant. But I think I’ve found it. I’m your friend.”

Ren started welling up. “C’mere!” she said, giving Morgana a big hug. “You’re my friend too.” Morgan was a little surprised at this, but he let it happen. He wanted this too, though he’d hesitate to admit it. He nestled himself into Ren and started purring gently.

Magician-Morgana: Rank 9

Ren let go. “I think we should finish this sushi.”

“Of course!” Morgan said. They went back to eating.

Ren looked around the room. She lifted her glass. “To the attic.”

Morgana stopped eating, and repeated “To the attic!” They finished eating, and went to bed in the attic for the last time.

At school the next day, before the last day of the test commenced, Mr. Ogata called out to the school on the PA. “Attention Students: After tests today, please report to the auditorium to welcome your new principal! Thank you!” There was a little commotion, but Ren smiled. She took her seat. The tests were handed out, and they began.

After school, just as they were told, the school headed to the auditorium. Mr. Ogata took the stage. “Good afternoon,” he said. “I hope you did well on your midterms. As you know, today is my last day here. I would like to thank each and every one of you. Not just the students and staff who are here, but everyone who I’ve had the responsibility and joy of looking over through the years. I have never had a more rewarding career. As much as I would like to continue, I realize my time has come. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything.” He bowed. There was applause, but some of it was a little reluctant. “Thank you. And now, may I present your new Principal: Mr. Atsuo Arai!” As Mr. Arai took the stage, the applause was louder than before, slightly annoying Mr. Ogata.

“Thank you,” Mr. Arai said. “It is an honor and a privilege to be your principal. I look forward to working with each and every one of you to help this school reach its full potential. I know things have been a little turbulent, but I want to assure everyone that I will be there for you. There are times where I need help as well, which is why I’m also counting on you. I look forward to being your principal, and I wish Mr. Ogata the best as he leaves this wonderful school. Thank you.” There was more applause, as Mr. Arai bowed and waved at the crowd.

Mr. Ogata smirked. We’ll see who has the last laugh.

After the assembly, Ren headed back to Yongen-Jaya. Out of habit, she headed to Leblanc, but she caught herself. She headed over to Sojiro’s house. Her house. She opened the door. It was a little dark, so she turned the lights on. As she did, Futaba and Sojiro jumped out and popped some poppers. “Surprise!” They yelled. Ren was taken aback.

“Hm hm. Welcome home,” Sojiro said. Futaba blew on a party blower.

Ren chuckled. “Thanks.”

“C’mere,” Sojiro said. “Let me show you to your room.” Sojiro, Ren, and Futaba headed to Ren’s new room. They opened the door, and Ren was astounded. The bed was in the far left corner facing the right wall. On the right wall was a dresser with a TV on top of it. Next to the dresser was a closet. On the opposite side of the bed on the left was a work desk, painted lavender. In the middle of the room was a red and black rug to match the cherry red walls and black ceiling. “What do you think?”

Ren smiled. “It’s perfect.”

Sojiro smiled. “I’m glad. Now then, let’s head out.” Ren was confused. “I made reservations at a steakhouse to not only celebrate your new room, but you being done with midterms as well.”

Ren smiled. “Thanks Sojiro.”

Sojiro nodded. “Futaba, are you ready?

“Yeah,” she answered.

“Then let’s head out,” Sojiro said. The three of them headed out to celebrate.

Meanwhile, Sae was in her office. She pondered her notes, took a deep breath, and stood up. She told Riko. “I’m heading out for a little bit. I’ll be back in an hour. Maybe an hour and a half. Don’t feel like you need to wait for me. You shouldn’t come with. This is personal.” Sae stormed out.

“O…K…” Riko said, befuddled.

Sae arrived at Naoko’s apartment. She knocked on the door. Naoko answered. “Ah. Come in.” Sae walked in. “I’ve been cleaning a little since you last came. But I’ve been a little busy. I’m actually working on a case recently.”

“Do you need help?” Sae asked.

“Nah, I’m already working in tandem with a lot of people,” Naoko said. “But do you need help?” Sae froze at the question. “You come here when you want help.”

Sae stood still. “...I’d appreciate it if you didn’t say it so bluntly.”

“That’s just who I am,” Naoko said. “Now, how can I help you?”

“You know what I want,” Sae said.

“Phantom Thieves info again?” Naoko said. “I told you everything I’m willing to.”

“The situation has changed,” Sae said, firmly. “I’m not an idiot doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.”

“Hm. I’ll hear you out then,” Naoko said.

“Director Ono told me he was working at the behest of The Phantom Thieves,” Sae explained.

Naoko was puzzled. “Pardon me, but do you actually believe that?”

“Whether or not it's true, I have to investigate to be sure,” Sae said.

Naoko shrugged. “Alright. But I can tell you they aren’t.”

“How can you be so sure?!” Sae countered.

“Because once you know what I know, you’ll know,” Naoko said.

“Fine,” Sae said. “Just tell me what I want to know.”

“Alright,” Naoko said. “One of the kids was a boy with short blonde hair.” Sae was taking notes. “The second was a girl with shoulder-length black hair and glasses.

Sae paused for a moment. That sort of sounds like Amamiya… “You said they were there on the orders of a third?”

“Correct,” Naoko said. “And while I don’t know the names of the two people I just described, I definitely know the name of the third.”

“What is it?” Sae asked.

“Makoto Niijima,” Naoko replied.

Sae was shocked. She looked at Naoko. “Hm. Alright. We’re done here. If you insist on lying to me to cover their tracks, then our conversation is done.” Sae started to leave.

“HEY!” Naoko shouted. “I may have covered up the truth, but I’m not a liar!”

“There’s NO WAY Makoto is a Phantom Thief,” Sae protested.

“Is that the truth, or just what you want to believe?” Naoko said.

“It’s the truth!” Sae countered. “I know you and I are on different teams when it comes to The Phantom Thieves, but I at least expect you to trust me to do my job!”

“Oh, I trust you to do your job,” Naoko countered. “What I don’t trust right now is you doing what’s right!”

Sae was stunned. “EXCUSE ME?!”

“Yeah, you heard me,” Naoko said.

Sae became indignant. “My job IS to do what’s right!”

“Not always!” Naoko said. “I thought you of all people would know that.”

“You-”

“And don’t think I don’t know the difference!” Naoko interrupted. “Just four months ago, I thought what I was doing was right, when that couldn’t have been further from the truth!” There was a tense standoff. Naoko sighed. “Look, maybe that was a bit too far. But…well…you’re Nobuyuki’s kid. And he’s not here to guide you right now. So I’m trying. I can’t be him. I know I can’t be him, but I still have to try.”

Sae stared at him. “I appreciate your concern, but I’ve got this under control.”

“You still don’t believe me?” Naoko said.

“Of course not,” Sae said. “I respect you, but I can’t take your word.”

“Did you tell that to your boss?” Naoko sniped.

“...I’ve had my suspicions of The Phantom Thieves as well,” Sae answered. “His statement only confirms it.”

“But you won’t listen to what I have to say,” Naoko said.

“I’ll take it into consideration,” Sae said, bitterly. She started leaving.

“Look!” Naoko said. Sae stopped once more. “I know what you’re after. I’ve been in that place before too. I’m here to tell you that it’s OK to bow out. I know it’s hard, believe me, but…you seem so miserable right now. I hate seeing you like that.”

“Hm, Sae grunted. “If you want to make me smile, give me correct information.”

“I did,” Naoko insisted.

“Then stay out of my way,” Sae said. She left.

Naoko sighed. He took out his phone, “Risi: Remind me to call my sister tomorrow to ask for her cookie recipe.”

“OK,” his phone said. “Setting reminder.”

Sae arrived back at her office. Riko was still there, but she didn’t care too much. Riko noticed Sae was upset. “Is everything alrig-” Sae slammed her door before Riko could finish answering.

Sae opened her door. “Sorry. You may go.” She closed the door again, still aggressively, but more quietly.

Riko, unsure of how she should respond, just quietly repeated “I go home when you go home.”

Sae was at her desk. She interlocked her fingers and looked at it. The contents of her desk blurred together, but at the moment she didn’t care. She was contemplating the situation she was in. She was so close to solving this case, which would put her in a position to do everything she ever wanted. And yet, everyone she trusts was telling her it was a bad idea. She could put away The Phantom Thieves, but no one would believe they were responsible without proof, which in this case was few and far between.

She couldn't do much except follow through on the investigation. And she knew she was the only one who could. So why is everything telling her not to? It didn’t make sense. She felt trapped. She knew that if she could just get out, she could make a difference, but she couldn’t see the light. She collapsed on her desk. “What am I going to do?”

A few minutes later, she got up, and headed out. She noticed Riko was still there. “I’m going home. I suggest you do the same. We have a big day ahead of us.”

“Yes ma’am!” Riko said. She got up and walked out. Just as they were about to head their separate ways, Riko said “Just so you know, I’m here for you, no matter what.”

Sae smiled. “Thanks. I needed that.” They two women headed home.

 

Notes:

Ho boy, things are heating up now. I honestly cannot wit to see your reactions to the next few chapters. I'm flying by the seat of my pants here a little, but I think things are coming together really well. I am having to rearrange a few things so as not to cause too much whiplash, but that might be a thing going forward no matter what. Anyways, just be prepared for what's next. Enjoy!

Chapter 180: The Ballad of Makoto Niijima

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On Wednesday, after testing was done, Mr. Arai called through the announcement system “Attention! Will Makoto Niijima please report to the Principal’s office.” Makoto was confused, but she shrugged and headed over there.

When she entered, she asked “You wanted to see me, Mr Arai?”

“Please, have a seat,” Mr. Arai said. Makoto took her seat, though she was a little confused. “Your sister came in earlier today.”

Makoto was shocked. “She did?”

Mr. Arai nodded. “She’s coming here Friday to set up a series of interviews to ask about The Phantom Thieves.”

Makoto was even more shocked. “Huh.”

“You’re the student council president,” Mr. Arai said. “I thought you should know.”

“Thanks,” Makoto said.

“Also, due to the recent turbulence, we still do not have a guest speaker for this year’s Cultural Festival. Normally, these things are decided by a vote, but due to recent events, it’ll be nigh on impossible to conduct one. So, I would like to ask if you could invite someone.”

“Are you sure?” Makoto asked. “That’s a lot of responsibility.”

“I’m not asking for an A-List celebrity,” Mr. Arai said. “In fact, it doesn’t have to be a celebrity at all. Just someone who can give a quick presentation. A fireman, for example.”

“I see,” Makoto said. “I’ll try my best.”

“Thank you,” Mr. Arai said. “There’s one other thing I want to talk about.” Makoto was curious. “Did you know I went to school with Aki?”

Makoto was shocked. “My…My mom?”

Mr. Arai nodded. “The very same. In fact, she was the first person, other than myself, who knew about my…orientation.”

“I…didn’t know that,” Makoto said.

“We sort of grew apart once we went to college,” Mr. Arai stated. “We were in different areas of study, and cell phones weren’t really a thing back then. We’d keep in contact from time to time, but we didn’t meet regularly. Still, I like to think of her as a dear friend. I even attended her funeral.”

“Oh…” Makoto reacted. “I…didn’t notice. Or don’t remember.”

“It’s alright,” Mr. Arai said. “You were only three. Besides, you had just lost your mom. I can’t imagine that was easy on you.”

“Right…” Makoto said. “Why are you telling me this?”

“Im telling you this because when your sister came in, she seemed…distressed,” Mr. Arai said. “I know her job can be strenuous, but this felt different.” He sighed. “I know I may be overstepping my boundaries, but I’d like to ask you to make sure your sister is alright on the behalf of your mother. I’m sure she would have wanted it.”

Makoto was still processing all this information, but without hesitation, she nodded, and said “I will.”

Mr. Arai nodded back. “That’s all I needed to hear. Thank you.”

Makoto got up. “Thank you.” She left.

After she left, she messaged the group.

Makoto: Apparently, the prosecutor’s office is conducting interviews at the school Friday about The Phantom Thieves.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Ann: What do they even have?!

Futaba: Well, as much as I hate to say it, it makes sense.

Lena: What do we do?

Yusuke: Not saying anything is a good start.

Lena: I mean, if they’re already, how long before they figure it out regardless?

Ren: That is concerning.

Haru: Well, maybe we can use this to our advantage.

Makoto: Huh?!

Sumire: How so?

Haru: Based on their questions, we can figure out how much they know and make adjustments based on that.

Makoto: That’s actually a good idea.

Futaba: Now the only question is can everyone keep cool?

Ryuji: Of course.

Yusuke You say that, but you’re the one I’m worried about most.

Ryuji: WHAT?!

Ann: I’m sure you’ll be fine sweetie.

Jose: Yeah, you’ll do great!

Ren: I know we like to kid, but you pull through when it counts.

Ryuji: Thanks.

Sumire: If anything, I’m a little worried about myself.

Sumire: I men, if my coach could figure it out, who’s to say the police can’t?

Jose: Wait, your coach knows?

Sumire: Oh. Yeah.

Suire: Sorry, I forgot to tell you.

Ren: I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Ren: Your coach is rather smart.

Ren: I doubt that some random officer has the deductive skills she has.

Sumire: True.

Ren: So, the plan is to hold steadfast and see what we can figure out.

Sumire: I think the Shujin Thieves should meet after school and compare notes.

Haru: Excellent idea, Sumi-chan!

Sumire: Thanks.

Ren: Alright then, good luck for that, and on your last day of midterms tomorrow.

Ann: Ugh, don’t remind me.

They went home for the day.

Makoto tried to check on her sister that night, but Makoto had to go to bed before she came home. She checked her phone to see that Sae didn’t have a crusader yet, so she was relieved on that front. The same thing happened Thursday, but again, she didn’t have a crusader.

Friday came, and with it, the interviews. Before class started, Mr. Arai took to the speaker to announce “Attention everyone! Today police officers are coming to interview people in regards to the Phantom Thieves case. Please just remain calm, and answer the questions honestly. I apologize for the inconvenience. I know you’ve gone through a lot this year, but I have faith in each and every one of you. Thank you.”

There was some hesitation among the students, but Miss Kawakami shouted “Alright, settle down! I know it’s hard, but our hands are tied on the matter. I’m sure you will all be fine. Just don’t go doing anything stupid, OK?” The class settled down.

When it came time Ren and Ann went together for their interview. Ren went in first. “Good afternoon,” the officer said. “We just have a couple of questions for you, then we’ll be out of your hair, OK?” Ren nodded. “According to our record, you’re currently on probation. How is that going?”

“I believe it’s going well,” Ren answered.

“Alright,” the officer said. “You transferred to this school, correct?” Ren nodded. “And not long after, Mr. Kamoshida got attacked by The Phantom Thieves. Do you happen to know why?”

“That's more of a coincidence than anything,” Ren said. “From what I know, Mr. Kamoshida’s…tendencies were essentially the worst kept secret of the school. It’s possible that this was planned for a while.”

“Hm,” the officer said. “And the following attacks?”

“I wouldn’t know,” Ren answered.

“Did you know Kaneshiro was blackmailing students here?” the officer said.

“I had heard it wasn’t limited to here,” Ren said, “but I was aware, but only slightly.”

The officer looked at her more intently. “Are you aware that your schoolmate Haru is Kunikazu Okumura’s daughter?”

“Haru-senpai?” Ren said. “I mean, I’m friends with her, but she never told me her last name.”

“I see,” the officer said. “Do you know anyone who goes to Kosei academy?”

Ren nodded. “My friends and I met a young prodigy named Jose at the flower shop in the underground mall in Shibuya. I’ve been learning shogi from Hifumi Togo. And Madarame’s former pupil approached me and my friends because he wanted one of us to be his model.”

“Very well,” the officer said. “How tech savvy are you?”

“I’d say I’m average,” Ren answered. “I know the basics, but I don’t have any specialties.”

“Do you know anyone that does?” the officer asked.

“Not that I can think of,” Ren said.

“Hmmmm,” the officer groaned. “Alright. You’re free to go now. If we have any more questions, we can contact Sojiro Sakura, correct?”

“That’s right,” Ren said.

“Very well,” the officer said. “Have a good day.”

Ren got up and left. Once she met with Ann, she just said “You’re up.” Ann nodded and went in.

After school the Shujin Thieves met on the roof. “Just so you know, I kept my cool,” Ryuji said. “At least with my words. If they saw how sweaty my palms were, I’d be toast.”

"Tell me about it,” Ann said. “It seems like they knew more than they were letting on.”

“But why not press further,” Morgana said, popping out of Ren’s bag.

“I have a feeling they’re going to go over notes and narrow their search,” Makoto said.

“It’s a little scary,” Lena said. “I’ve only been a member since the summer, but already they suspect me.”

“I think they’re ‘suspecting’ everyone,” Ryuji said. “See who can break first.”

“I think he’s right,” Haru said. “My father was targeted by The Phantom Thieves, and they seemed to suspect me of being involved.”

“Um, but you were involved,” Lena pointed out.

“I know,” Haru said. “But there’s not much of a reason to suspect that.”

“I don’t know,” Makoto said. “My sister is very clever. Besides, we don’t know what everyone was asked.”

“It seemed routine,” Sumire said.

“Well, relatively speaking,” Ren said. Everyone looked at her. “I mean, when you’re arrested on false charges, the ‘usual questions’ are more pointed.”

“Well, whatever the case may be,” Morgana interjected, “we have an idea of how things are going.”

“They are dancing around the truth,” Ann said.

“Yeah, but it’s not like they can prove anything,” Ryuji pointed out.

“Again, if they have a specific aim, ‘proof’ might not be that much of a worry,” Ren said.

“If only we could get more information,” Sumire said.

Makoto lit up. “Maybe we could.”

“How do you figure?” Morgana asked.

“Principal Arai tasked me with finding a speaker for the cultural festival,” Makoto said. “Perhaps we can get someone involved in the case to come.”

“But who would do such a thing?” Haru wondered.

Lena got excited. “Goro!”

Makoto nodded. “My thoughts exactly. Plus, he’s exciting on his own merits.”

“I’ll say,” Lena replied.

“Do you think he’ll go for it?” Ann wondered.

“Only one way to find out,” Makoto said. She took out her phone and gave Akechi a call.

Akechi picked up. “Hello?”

“Hey there, Akechi,” Makoto said, nervously.

“Ah, Makoto,” Akechi replied. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Well, I know this is on such short notice,” Makoto began, “but our school’s cultural festival is coming up soon, and Principal Arai asked me to find a speaker. I wasn’t sure what to do, but then you popped into my head. So, I was wondering…if you’re not too busy…”

“I’d be delighted to,” Akechi said.

Makoto was surprised. “R-Really?”

“Of course,” Akechi said. “I’m surprised you didn’t call earlier.”

“Well, I was busy with midterms,” Makoto countered.

“Ah, right, of course,” Akechi said. “Well, I look forward to seeing you then. As well as Mr. Arai. What do you think I should get him as a gift to celebrate his new position?”

“I think your presence will be enough,” Makoto assured him.

“How nice of you to say,” Akechi replied. “Well, this has been nice, but I have a work matter to attend to, so I have to hang up now.”

“Alright, bye!” Makoto replied.

“Bye!” Akechi said. He hung up.

Makoto put her phone away. She sighed. “I can’t believe that worked."

“I dunno,” Ryuji said. “I’m worried about him knowing too much still.”

“I feel like we’re at a point where this whole thing is becoming too big to contain,” Haru said.

Sumire nodded. “I think so long as we choose our allies carefully, we can let some things slip.”

“And there’s no better ally than Goro!” Lena cheered. The thieves chuckled.

“Well, I suggest we have a meeting tomorrow to inform everyone and brainstorm our next move,” Ren suggested.

“Yeah, um, about that,” Ryuji wondered, “when should we try and storm Makoto’s sis’s palace?”

“I think that’s a discussion worth having tomorrow,” Makoto said. “Nothing’s changed yet, but I don’t want to be in the middle of a palace when everything shifts.”

“I guess that’s true,” Ryuji said. “Besides, I’m still a little beat from midterms.”

“By the way, you all did well, I assume?” Makoto wondered. Ren, SUmire, and Haru nodded, while Ann, Ryuji, and Lena were a little unsure. “Guys…”

“I think I did alright,” Lena said. “I don’t think I failed anything. But I don’t think I’m getting the top score either.”

“I think as long as Hiroki is in our class, the top spot is out of our reach forever,” Ryuji lamented. “But I think I did alright.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “This was the hardest I studied for anything. I sure hope it pays off.”

“I hope so too,” Makoto said.

“Well, I think that’s about as much as we can do for now,” Ren said. “I’ll message the others about meeting tomorrow.” Everyone nodded, and they started to leave.

On her way out, Makoto got a message. She checked her phone. She grew alarmed. “Hey, um, Ren? Mind if you run a quick errand with me for a second?”

“Um, OK?” Ren said, noticing Makoto’s concern.

“Thanks,” Makoto said. She took Ren’s hand, and rushed off.

As they were running, Ren asked “Um, what’s this about?”

“Eiko said she needed urgent help,” Makoto said. “She wanted me to bring Yusuke, but you’ll have to do.”

“I see,” Ren said, getting more on board. “Where are we going?”

“Big Bang Burger,” Makoto said. Ren nodded, and the two were on their way. Once they got in, Ren ordered some fires and drinks for the three of them, while Makoto found Eiko. “Eiko!” She went to sit down.

“Hey Makoto,” Eiko said, sheepishly. Ren sat down. Eiko was uneasy.

“Oh, right,” Makoto said. “I know you wanted me to bring Yusuke, but I had some student council stuff to do after school. I didn’t want to keep you waiting, so I brought along Ren. You remember her, right?”

“Hey,” Ren said. Eiko nodded.

“So, what’s the issue?” Makoto said.

Eiko was hesitant. “Um, well, could I borrow some money?”

Makoto was a little relieved. “Is that all? How much?”

“350,000…” Eiko said, sheepishly.

Makoto was stunned. “WHAT?!”

“Shhhh,” Eiko said, trying to calm the situation.

Their fries and drinks then arrived. “Thanks,” Ren said.

“Why do you need that much?” Makoto wondered.

“...It’s not for me,” Eiko said. “It’s for Tsukasa.”

Makoto’s eyes widened. “What?!”

“He accidentally broke a bottle of champagne, and he needs help replacing it,” Eiko explained.

“Eiko…” Makoto said. “Doesn’t that sound a little…fishy to you?”

“What do you mean?” Eiko said.

“That seems like a lot,” Makoto explained. “Even for the fanciest host establishment.”

“Are you saying Tsukasa is dishonest?!” Eiko shouted.

“Would an honest person be texting other women like their also his girlfriend?” Makoto said, showing off a series of texts from Tsukasa.

“How’d you get his number?” Eiko asked.

“You gave him mine,” Makoto said.

“Oh. Right,” Eiko said. “Well, that’s just how he shows affection!”

“Eiko, listen to me!” Makoto said. “Tsukasa is not what he seems!”

“Oh, what do you know?!” Eiko protested. “You and that Yusuke guy aren’t even going out!”

Makoto was stunned. “How did you…?”

“Tsukasa told me,” Eiko said. “I didn’t want to believe him, but…”

Makoto was worried. “Eiko…”

“No!” Eiko screamed. “I don’t want to hear it! Why do you insist on taking away the person that makes me happier than anything else?”

Makoto stood up. “He’s lying to you! He doesn’t care about you!”

“You lied to me!” Eiko countered. “You never trusted Tsukasa! If you were a real friend, you’d have been more supportive!”

“I’m telling you the truth now because I am a real friend!” Makoto replied.

“Shut up!” EIko said. “I don’t need this anymore. And I don’t need you!” Eiko stormed out of the Big Bang Burger. Makoto’s face went pale. She sat back down.

Ren went to comfort her. “Are you OK?”

“I..I don’t know…” Makoto said, still in a state of shock. “I…I guess if I had to put it in words, I feel like a mirror that was shattered into a million pieces.”

Ren put her hand on her shoulder.”It’s OK. You did your best, and that’s all anyone can be asked to do.”

Makoto sighed. “I hope you’re right.”

“But something is bugging me,” Ren pointed out. “Why did she ask you for money? What about her family?”

“Oh, uh, well,” Makoto said, “Eiko’s parents treat her younger brother as this princely figure. So they tend to ignore what she has to say.”

“Yikes!’ Ren said. “I can see why she’d like a host as a boyfriend. It’s practically their job to hang on a girl's every word.”

“True,” Makoto said. “And that’s what worries me. Eiko is the prime target for something nefarious.”

“So, Mementos time?” Ren suggested.

Makoto shook her head. “While it would be nice, Eiko needs to learn her lesson too. Otherwise, she’ll just keep falling for the same trap over and over. And I might not be there to bail her out each time.”

“So, what is the game plan then?” Ren wondered.

“We need to prove to Eiko that Tsukasa isn’t who he says he is,” Makoto said.

“Will she be receptive to it?” Ren wondered.

“Eiko’s smarter than she seems,” Makoto said. “However, she just might not choose to see it. So that’s why we have to open her eyes.”

“I getcha,” Ren said. “Hm.”

Makoto seemed confused. “What was that about?”

“Well, you were worried about losing people without trying everything you could,” Ren said. “Yet you still haven’t given up. Not just on Eiko, but on your sister as well.”

“Oh, uh, well,” Makoto said.

“Relax,” Ren said. “It’s a good thing. You’re incredibly reliable. You’re the student council president. You work so hard. It’s amazing to see you in motion. I think you have nothing to worry about.”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks.”

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 8

They finished their fries and drinks, and headed out.

Just as Makoto had left for her home, Ren heard “HEY!” She turned to see Mishima rushing over to her. “Hey!”

“Hey,” Ren replied. “What’s up?”

“Wanna go to the diner tonight?” Mishima asked. “My treat!”

Mishima seemed really eager. So despite the fact that she just sort of ate, Ren said “Sure!’

“Great!” Mishima said. “Let’s go!” Mishima and Ren headed into the diner. Once inside, Mishima noticed Ren ordering less food than usual. “Did you eat already? I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Ren said. “I’m still a little hungry. Besides, I want to hear what you have to say.”

Mishima smiled. “Well, I was thinking… I’ve been doing a lot just to get by. But that never took me anywhere. So I shifted to making immediate gains. But that didn’t work either. At least, not as intended. I was getting so lost in the weeds that I couldn’t see what’s in front of me.

So I decided, if I want to change, I have to take the risk. I haven’t been much of a risk-taker in the past, but after what happened with Akiyama, I think I’m ready.”

Ren smiled. “So, what’s the plan then?”

Mishima nodded. “Well…” He noticed Akiyama and his friends walk in. Ren turned to see them as well.

“Well well, look who it is,” one of Akiyama’s friends said. “I almost didn’t see him.”

“Yeah, he just blends into the wallpaper, right Akiyama?” his other friend said. Akiyama didn’t reply. “Akiyama?”

“Let's go,” Akiyama said.

“Huh?” the first friend said. “But-”

“It’s no longer fun to pick on him,” Akiyama said. “Besides, we don’t need to put anyone down to prove that we're great!”

“Are you sure?” his other friend asked.

“Do you wanna test me?” Akiyama threatened.

“NO SIR!” his friends said.

“Then let’s go!” Akiyama said. He walked away with his subordinates in tow.

Mishima nodded. “Well, as I was saying… I’m not 100% sure what the plan is, but I want to break out of my shell a little more. And I want to thank The Phantom Thieves in the process.”

“Oh?” Ren said. “How come?”

“Well, The Phantom Thieves helped me break out of my shell initially,” Mishima said. “And I feel like if I can pass it forward, I’d be doing right by them.”

Ren giggled. “I see.”

“I’m coming up with all sorts of ideas,” Mishima said. “I don’t think I’ll do them all, but it’s better than not having these ideas.”

“Well, are there any ideas that you’re certain of?” Ren asked.

“Mmmmm, a handful,” Mishima said. “But I’d rather it be a surprise for you.”

“Hm hm. Well I do love surprises,” Ren said.

Mishima smiled. “Whatever happens, thank you. And I mean you. I know you’re part of The Phantom Thieves, but you and I have been talking independently of that. Without that, I think I’d still be a bit of a stick in the mud. So, thanks.”

Ren was impressed. She smiled. “Likewise.”

Moon-Yuuki Mishima: Rank 9

They finished dinner, and headed home for the evening.

Meanwhile, Makoto was hoping that her sister would come home on time to check in with her. She was busy with some school work, as well as a plan to figure out how to save Eiko. Suddenly, her doorbell rang. “Coming!” She called out. She rushed to the door.

Upon opening it, she saw it was Naoko, carrying a plate of cookies. “Hey kiddo,” he said.

Makoto was confused. “What are you doing here?”

“We need to talk,” Naoko said. “May I come in?”

“Of course,” Makoto said, inviting him in. They met up at the table, where Naoko set his plate of cookies down. Makoto took a bite. “Mm. These are really good.”

“Hm hm,” Naoko chuckled. “They're my sister’s recipe.” He paused. “Listen…something happened last night.”

Makoto grew concerned. “What is it?”

Naoko paused again. “You sister came over. She wanted information.”

“About what?” Makoto said.

“Well, she said that the SIU director told her that he was working for The Phantom Thieves,” Naoko explained

 “WHAT?!” Makoto yelped.

“I had told her earlier than I had some suspicions on who they are,” Naoko said. “I was in Shinjuku one night, and a blonde-haired boy accidentally kicked a rock at me. He came to apologize, and we got to talking. He told me that you had put him on a mission. Though he didn't name you, he just said it was the student council president, but…”

“Right,” Makot said, embarrassed.

“I figured that you were at least working for The Phantom Thieves, if not a member,” Naoko said. “Your sister demanded information, so I told her about you, the blonde-haired boy, and the black-haired girl.”

Makoto became alarmed. “Wha…What did she say?”

Naoko smirked. “She didn’t believe me. She wouldn’t believe me. She has a vendetta against The Phantom Thieves, so she chose to ignore what I had to say.”

“I see…” Makoto said. She pouted.

“I’m sorry,” Naoko said. “I know the cookies can’t make up for it completely, but…

“It’s not that,” Makoto said, shaking her head. “I’m going through a similar thing with a friend of mine.”

“I see,” Naoko said. He sighed. “Well, I’m sure you can figure it out. When I wouldn't listen to your father, he always knew how to take the reins.”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks.” She took another cookie. “And thanks for the cookies.”

“No problem,” Naoko said. He started to leave, but sat back down. “Oh, by the way, I’m working on a really big case right now.”

“Really?” Makoto wondered.

Naoko nodded. “When it’s all said and done, maybe I can stop by and tell you the details.”

Makoto nodded. “I’d like that.”

“Great!” Naoko said “Well, seeya kiddo!”

“Bye!” Makoto said. Naoko headed out. Makoto was happy. This was just the pick-me-up she needed. Unfortunately, it didn’t last. She checked the Metaverse app, and what she found horrified her to her core.

Notes:

I'm sorry, but not really. I don't want to ruin the fun.

Anyways though, we're on the precipice of a substantial change, but I couldn't figure out what else to do. I'll explain it more when we get to it, but just be prepared. I'v been telling you guys that a lot, huh. Maybe I should just let the shock overtake you. Eh, whatever, I'm sure you're fine either way. Enjoy!

Chapter 181: Little Secret

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Akechi’s phone rang. He picked up. “Hello?”

“Hey there, Akechi,” Makoto said, nervously.

“Ah, Makoto,” Akechi replied. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Well, I know this is on such short notice,” Makoto began, “but our school’s cultural festival is coming up soon, and Principal Arai asked me to find a speaker. I wasn’t sure what to do, but then you popped into my head. So, I was wondering…if you’re not too busy…”

“I’d be delighted to,” Akechi said.

Makoto was surprised. “R-Really?”

“Of course,” Akechi said. “I’m surprised you didn’t call earlier.”

“Well, I was busy with midterms,” Makoto countered.

“Ah, right, of course,” Akechi said. “Well, I look forward to seeing you then. As well as Mr. Arai. What do you think I should get him as a gift to celebrate his new position?”

“I think your presence will be enough,” Makoto assured him.

“How nice of you to say,” Akechi replied. “Well, this has been nice, but I have a work matter to attend to, so I have to hang up now.”

“Alright, bye!” Makoto replied.

“Bye!” Akechi said. He hung up. He looked at the prosecutor’s office, and headed inside.

As he made his way to Sae’s office, he met up with Riko. “Ah, good afternoon Detective,” Riko greeted.

“Good afternoon,” Akechi said, returning the greeting. “How are things going?”

“You’re…guess is as good as mine,” Riko said. Riko began whispering. “She’s been on an emotional rollercoaster all week. More so than usual.”

“Hm,” Akechi reacted. “Well, I come bringing good news. So hopefully that will cheer her up.”

“Hopefully,” Riko said. She got up and knocked on Sae’s door. “Miss Niijima?! Detective Akechi is here to see you!”

“Send him in!” Sae replied.

Riko gestured to Akechi. He nodded. “Thanks.” He walked in. “Hello,” he greeted.

“What do you want?” Sae sniped.

Akehi was taken aback by how aggressive Sae was. He took a seat. “Well, I have some good news for you.”

Sae stopped what she was doing. “This better be good.”

Akechi took out a piece of paper. “I’ve been doing some investigating, and I found some other people connected to director Ono who may have also taken advantage of his services.” He slid it over to her.

Sae picked it up and looked it over. “Well, aren’t you busy?”

Akechi was stunned. “You really are more on edge than usual.”

Sae sighed. “Sorry. I just have a lot on my mind.”

“Is it personal, or about the case?” Akechi asked. Sae glared. “I ask because I’m definitely more helpful in one situation than the other.”

Sae decided to let Akechi in. “When I talked with Director Ono, he told me he was only doing what he was doing at the behest of The Phantom Thieves.”

Akchi was shocked. “You…don’t believe him, do you?”

Sae pounded her fist on her desk. “Why is that everyone’s reaction?!” Akechi grew a little frightened. “Even if what he says is or is not true, which I believe him by the way, I still have to investigate it!”

Akechi was still shook. He composed himself and said “Well, there’s another reason I’m here.”

Sae gared at him. “Go on.”

“I was recently contacted by The Phantom Thieves,” Akechi explained.

“WHAT?!” Sae said. She shot up from her desk. “What can you tell me?”

“Nothing concrete,” Akechi said. “They contacted me using some hacker tech and deleted the conversation once they were done.”

“Hm,” Sae said. “That checks out.”

“...With what?” Akechi wondered.

“Makoto told me something similar,” Sae said. “During the Kaneshiro incident.”

“I see…” Akechi said.

Sae grunted. “What did they say?”

“They told me a few things,” Akechi explained. “They told me they believed that Director Ono was not at the top, but they want me to keep quiet on that for now.”

“Why?”

“Because,” Akechi answered, “if we don’t try going after them, they might let their guard down, and their identity can be figured out easier.”

“Hmmm,” Sae groaned, unsure of what to make of this.

“However, “ Akechi smirked, “I’m telling you this because The Phantom Thieves want to work with you.”

Sae was shocked. “What?”

Akechi nodded. “They believe you’re the key to solving this case. Or rather, you and them cooperating.”

Sae slammed her desk again. “Why would I ever work with them?!”

“You work with criminals to catch other criminals regularly,” Akechi pointed out. “I see no difference.”

“The difference is if I get this wrong, things will get out of control!” Sae protested.

“Pardon me,” Akechi said, “but doesn’t it seem like things are already out of control? I don’t see what you have to lose.”

Sae glared daggers at Akechi. “This case will determine the future of Japan. You know what I have to lose? Japan!”

“Ok, OK,” Akechi said, trying to calm Sae down. “I apologize. However, they told me something else.” Sae was curious. “You know how in the calling cards they also mention someone going after their target?” Sae nodded. “Well, they believe that someone like that exists for you.”

Sae was shocked. “So, they’re planning on stealing my heart?”

“Well…”

“They ARE! I knew it!” Sae barked.

“Settle down,” Akechi said.

“How can I settle down?!” Sae said.

“Well, as I mentioned,” Akechi repeated, “they want to work with you If you open your heart to them-”

“I’m sorry, WHAT?!” Sae barked. “You want me to work with them?!”

“Well, it’s either that, or let the true criminal get away,” Akehi reiterated.

“As far as I’m concerned, they ARE the true criminals!” Sae retorted.

“You really believe the director on this…” Akechi said.

“You don’t?”

“Well… Yes, I don’t,” Akechi said.

“How come?” Sae asked.

“I have some suspicions,” Akechi said. “If my hunch is correct, there’s no way that what he’s saying is true.”

“Oh god,” Sae groaned. “Don’t tell me you think Makoto’s involved with them too,” Sae said.

“...’Too’?” Akechi wondered.

Sae sighed. “Someone told me they think Makoto’s a Phantom Thief.”

“You don’t believe them?” Akechi wondered.

“Why should I?” Sae sniped.

“You believed the director,” Akechi pointed out.

“That’s different,” Sae said.

“Is it?”

“Look!” Sae said, firmly. “There’s no way Makoto is involved with those thieves! Got it?!”

“Hm,” Akechi said. “If you say so.”

“Hm,” Sae huffed. “Are you done?”

“...I think I might be,” Akechi said. “Unless you suddenly want to be more cooperative.”

Sae glared and simply said “We’re done.”

“Very well,” Akechi said. He stood up. “I still hope you’ll come around sooner or later.”

“Go!” Sae said. Akechi was stunned. He nodded, and left.

Once he got out, Riko asked “How’d it go?”

“That…definitely could have gone better,” Akehi remarked.

Riko was confused. “I thought you had good news.”

“I did,” Akechi said. “But she didn’t take it as such.”

“I see,” Riko said. “Well, good luck.”

“I think you’ll need that more than me,” Akechi pointed out.

“Well…”

Akechi nodded. “Well, good day.”

Riko nodded back. “Good day.” Akechi left.

Once he was outside of the prosecutor’s office, he took out his notebook. On his page of Phantom Thieves, he wrote “Makoto Niijima(?)” “Hm. And the game only becomes more interesting.” He left.

A little later, Riko knocked on Sae’s door. “What?!” Sae asked.

Riko peeked her head in. “I have some preliminary notes from the Shujin interviews.”

“Set ‘em on my desk,” Sae said.

Riko came in and did as she was told. “I’m going to take a break now,” she said. “Do you want to come with?”

Sae sighed. “I’m fine. You go.” Riko nodded “But if possible, could you maybe bring me back some food?”

Riko nodded. “Sure. Is there anything you like in particular?”

“Surprise me,” Sae said.

“Very well,” Riko said. She left the room, closed the door, and headed out. Meanwhile, Sae began looking through the notes.

A little while later, Riko knocked on Sae’s door after coming back. Sae opened the door. “Oh,” Riko said. “I got you some beef and rice from a REALLY good place in Akihabara.”

“Nevermind that,” Sae said. Riko was surprised. “I mean, just leave it on my desk for now.”

Riko was confused, but she maneuvered in and placed it on her desk. “What’s going on?”

“There’s an urgent matter we must attend to,” Sae said. “We got a call from the director. He has some new information.” Riko was shocked. Still, she nodded, and the two headed out. As they were heading toward the director’s house, Riko popped a stick of gum in her mouth. “Hmm?” Sae wondered.

“I just ate,” Riko said. “So I want to freshen my breath a little.”

“Gotcha,” Sae said. They continued on.

Once they arrived, the director was waiting for them. “Ah, Miss Niijima.”

“What is it?!” Sae said. “You said it was urgent.” The director presented a small red and black piece of paper. “What is that?”

“A calling card,” director Ono said. “I called as soon as I got it.”

Sae took it and read it. “‘Director Ono, You were sloppy, and thus have jeopardized our mission. Therefore, we have no choice but to give you an ultimatum. You have one month to repent. If you do so, we shall forgive you. If you choose to continue to be a hindrance, we will have to eliminate you. The choice is yours. -The Phantom Thieves.’” Sae grew pale.

“Obviously, I don’t want to submit to them anymore,” director Ono said. “But they’re threatening my life! I just…”

Sae grew serious. “You did the right thing. Don’t worry. I’ll make sure we’ll catch those thieves before they do anything.”

Ono nodded. “Thank you.”

Sae turned to leave. “Let’s go Riko.”

“Right,” Riko said, still processing what just happened.

Once they were back, Riko asked, “Um, Miss Niijima?” Sae looked at her. “I know you have to investigate this, but if you were to ask me, I don’t think that’s really from The Phantom Thieves.”

Sae looked away. “Well I didn’t ask you.”

“I’m just saying, “ Riko continued, “I’m not as smart as you, and if I can see that that’s a fake, so should you.”

Sae turned to Riko. She stared her down, and Riko broke into a sweat. “You’re perfectly fine just the way you are,” Sae said. This slightly confused Riko. “I know it’s hard, but I don’t think the director is lying. Please, just bare with me, OK? If The Phantom Thieves are innocent, we’ll figure it out by the end of it, OK?”

Riko was still shaken. Still, she mustered an “OK.”

Sae smiled and nodded. “Good. Now, I know you always say you leave when I leave, but right now, I’d like to be alone. So please, go home.” Riko nodded, and she left. She looked back, unsure, but Sae just stood there. Once Riko left Sae’s sight, Sae went back into her office.

She took a seat at her desk. She started eating the food Riko got her, and looked through all her notes. Akechi’s findings on people connected with the director. The preliminary results of the interview. Notes on previous cases. She sighed. She then recalled what everyone else said. They were all hesitant to believe that The Phantom Thieves were responsible. “I want to believe you,” she said. “But I can’t. I just can’t. Not only is there mounting evidence, but a case like this… I’m sure you’ll understand once it’s all said and done.”

“Hm hm hm,” an ominous voice giggled.

“Riko?” Sae wondered. “I thought I told you to go-” Sae looked up. Standing before her was not her assistant, but a mysterious cloaked figure. “Who are you?”

“I’m someone who believes you,” the figure said. “I know those thieves are destroying everything you’ve worked so hard for.”

“How did you get in here?” Sae wondered, concerned.

“Don’t worry about that,” the figure said. “For right now, just know that I’m on your side.”

“Again, who are you?”

“You may call me Eris,” she said. “Now, let’s talk.”

“What do you mean?” Sae wondered.

“Tch tch tch,” Eris clicked. “You haven’t found a shred of evidence on The Phantom Thieves in all this time. What makes you think you can find some in a month?”

“Well…” Sae tried to counter.

“He he. Don’t worry though,” Eris said. “I can help you catch those thieves red-handed.”

Sae was stunned. “What’s in it for you?”

“Quick on the uptake,” Eris said. “I’m on your side. I don't trust those thieves either. But I need you to be on mine. I’ll give you the power to take on The Phantom Thieves. They can’t be taken down by conventional methods. But the power I give is unconventional. She brought out an apple. “I know you’ve been stressed. Well, you don’t have to feel a thing. Just swallow this.”

Sae looked at Eris’ offer. As practical as Sae was, what Eris was saying was right. The Phantom Thieves defied practical thinking. If she was going to solve this case, if she was going to save Japan, if she was going to change Japan, she needed to meet The Phantom Thieves on their level and win. She took the apple, and bit into it. Once she swallowed it, an energy awoke within her.

Eris chuckled. “Hail to the queen.” Sae grinned. She rushed out of her office, looking determined.

Meanwhile, Riko may have told Sae she was going home, but she didn’t do anything of the sort. Instead, she hid in the women’s restroom, and took out her phone. She opened up an app. “I sure hope this works.” She began interacting with the app.

Back when she was getting food, she also asked a friend of hers in Akihabara about a listening device. “Please? This is really important!”

Her friend looked at her. “What’s in it for me?”

“I’ll pay twice as much next time I’m at the maid cafe,” Riko bargained.

“You haven’t been showing up as much recently,” her friend said.

“Sorry,” Riko said. “I got a new job. I’ve been bringing my boss to different places, and well, I’m not sure she’d like going to a maid cafe.”

“Or finding out you used to work there,” her friend said.

“Well…”

Her friend smirked. “Don’t worry, I’ve got you.”

Riko sighed. “Thanks.”

“I will hold you to your end of the bargain though.”

“Hm hm. Of course,” Riko said. Her friend gave her instructions on how to set up the listening device with her phone. Riko nodded. Later, when she was at the director’s house, she covertly stuck the listening device under the couch using her chewed up gum to adhere it.

Currently, she was waiting for something, anything. She then heard the director laughing. “Ah, that Sae Niijima. She’s too easy. She’s had it in for The Phantom Thieves from the start. All I had to do was push her in the right direction, and she’ll help us deal with those rats.

Once we get Sae to provoke The Phantom Thieves to come to her, we’ll have them right where we want them. And either she’ll take them out, or they’ll weaken her to a point where we can take her out, and we can blame her death on them. Hm. To think she’d have one. I’m a little surprised actually.

But no matter. We’ll always win. We’ll take over Japan, and once we do, nothing will stop us. Not even you, Miss Sakurai.” Riko gasped. “That’s right. I know you’re listening. You have to get up pretty early to pull the wool over my eyes. I sure hope you were recording, because no one will believe you. No one who matters anyway.” The signal flatlined.

Riko went pale. “GAH!” she said, throwing her fists against the wall. She wasn’t recording. She didn’t account for getting caught. She was frustrated with herself.

She breathed heavily. “Maybe…” she said. “Maybe she’ll believe me.” She rushed out of the bathroom, and back to Sae’s office. She noticed the door was open, and entered. “Miss Niijima!”

Eris turned around in Sae’s chair. “Sorry."

“GAH!”

“You just missed her,” Eris said.

Riko composed herself and asked “Who are you?”

Eris stood up. “I’m your boss’ new assistant.” Riko clenched her fist. “Hm hm, don’t worry, I’m not here to replace you. I just gave Sae the power to take on The Phantom Thieves.”

Riko was stunned. “But they’re not-”

“I know,” Eris said. “But the power I gave her will allow her to take on that threat too.”

“So why not tell her that?” Riko asked.

“Because The Phantom Thieves are her enemy,” Eris said.

“But they’re not!” Riko protested.

“Try telling her that,” Eris said. “With my influence over her, she’ll only listen to what she wants to hear.”

Riko was shaking. “If Sae is really listening to you, then there’s no way she’d listen to me.”

“Don’t sell yourself short,” Eris said. Riko was confused. Eris took out an apple. “You could join her. If you accept my power like she has, you’ll be able to save her.”

Riko was stunned. Still, she held steadfast and said “I’m not turning this into a Foli a Deux.”

Eris cackled. “Of course not. I think you're more interested in a Menage a Deux with Miss Niijima anyway.” Riko snapped, and slapped Eris in the face. “Oh. Struck a nerve, did I?”

“You did so when you started lying to Sae,” Riko countered.

“Heh. You’re not exactly telling her the truth either,” Eris countered. Riko stared her down. “Still, even without you, things are going incredibly well. There’s no good escape from all of this. Something’s going to give, and I am here for it. So, I’ll give you the key. Let’s see if you can figure out what to do with it. ‘Fashion Show.’” With that, Eris disappeared. Riko was now more worried than ever.

Back at the director’s house, he was reading a book late into the night, when there was a knock at his door. “Who is it?”

“It’s me,” Sae said.

“Come in,” the director said. Sae came in, and walked up to the director. “What do you want?”

“Cut the crap,” Sae said.

Ono was confused. “Excuse me?!”

“I’m in charge of this investigation, not you!” Sae continued. “So I’m going to catch those thieves, but I need some guarantees.”

“What’s gotten into you?” the director asked.

“Don’t you get it?” Sae snapped back. “For once I’m in charge, not you. So keep your questions to yourself, or I’ll leave you to your fate.”

“But…but what of The Phantom Thieves?” Ono wondered.

“I’ll get them one way or another,” Sae said. “But I don’t need you alive to do it.” The director was scared. “Honestly, after everything you’ve done, you may be better off dead. But I can still use you. So if you wish to stay alive, just do exactly as I say. Understand?” Ono nodded. “Good. It’s pretty late now, so I’ll come by tomorrow to iron out the details. And don’t tell anyone. Or else I’ll unleash everything. And then you’ll WISH you were dead.” Sae walked out.

The director was horrified. “Well…I didn’t expect that…” He put his book away, and went to bed for the night.

Meanwhile, Makoto was looking at her phone. The metaverse app had given her some grave news. The middle section, “Courthouse”, was still in black. The distortion, “Casino” was gone, and replaced with a blank white line. What horrified her the most was the top line. “Niijima” was in black, but just like when Futaba was her own crusader, “Sae” was in white.

Makoto went pale. “What do I do? What do WE do?” Her phone then started ringing. She didn’t recognize the number, but she wasn't thinking straight, so she answered. “Hello?”

“Makoto?” the voice said.

Makoto faintly recognized the voice on the other end. “Riko?”

Notes:

Well, good news Kovakhiin, I didn't ruin cookies.

So yeah, like Futaba, Sae is her own crusader. I'm am wondering if people managed to guess that. I think it was a hard guess, but at the same time, especially lately, I have been lying out indicators that Sae is indeed her own worst enemy. I don't know if it's the hardest guess thus far (Kaneshiro's might have been harder), but I think that it's up there at least.

But now, we know what the stakes are. Can The Phantom Thieves save Sae from the conspiracy, Eris, and most importantly, herself? Well, only one way to find out. Enjoy.

Chapter 182: Raising the Stakes

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Makoto was on the phone with her sister’s new assistant. She had just found out her sister was her own crusader, and was panicking about it. Still, she needed to remain calm. “Riko?” she said.

“Yes,” Riko replied. “Look, I’m sorry for calling you so late at night.”

“...It’s alright,” Makoto replied. “What is this about?”

“Right,” Riko said. “Oh, wait, before that, is your sister home?”

“No?” Makoto replied.

“Oh,” Riko said. “Well, she’s not here.”

“I’m sure she’ll be home soon,” Makoto assured her.

“Right,” Riko said. “Look, something…weird and troubling happened, and I don’t know who else to turn to. You’re Sae’s sister, so I thought you could help.”

Makoto was intrigued by Riko’s words. “I mean, sure. Um, what happened exactly?”

“Well..I was hoping that maybe we can discuss this tomorrow,” Riko said. “Sorry, it’s a lot, and I don’t want to keep you up all night.”

“Well, likewise I guess,” Makoto said. “Alright, I guess we can meet tomorrow.”

“Great!” Riko said. “Alright, where do you work?”

Makoto was taken aback by the question. …'Work’?”

“Yeah, I was thinking I could swing by once you get out of work tomorrow to meet up,” Riko clarified.

“Um…I’m a third year student at Shujin Academy,” Makoto explained.

There was a long pause before Riko said “Oh, I am so embarrassed. Based on the way Sae talked about you, I assumed you were her older sister.”

“Oh!” Makoto reacted, now also embarrassed.

“Yeah…” Riko said. “Well, um, maybe we can meet after school.”

“That would work,” Makoto said.

“Great!” Riko said. “See you then!’

“Ditto!” Makoto said. They both hung up, embarrassed.

The next day, as Sojiro, Futaba, Ren, and Morgana were having breakfast, Ren turned to Sojiro and asked “Say, can we borrow Leblanc this afternoon?”

“Well…” Futaba said. “We could meet here as well.”

“I know,” Ren said. “But Leblanc has a cooler atmosphere. Besides, it’s more hideout-y.”

“True,” Futaba said. “I don’t think most thief hideouts include my mom’s old ‘Live, Laugh, Love’ poster hanging up.”

“...I like keeping it around,” Sojiro said. “And it’s fine. I’ve got business to attend to anyways.”

Ren and Futaba were intrigued. “What kind of business?” Futaba asked.

“Or perhaps do you mean ‘pleasure’?” Ren joked.

Sojiro glared at Ren. “It’s personal business.”

“Pleasure,” Ren whispered Futaba.

Sojiro’s brow furrowed. “Do you want me to revoke your hideout privileges?”

“I have a key,” Ren pointed out.

“Want me to take away your key?”

“I’ll just steal it back,” Ren retorted. “I am a thief after all.”

Sohiro sighed. “Just…be quiet.” Ren and Futaba giggled.

The finished breakfast. “Thanks Sojiro,” Futaba said.

“Yeah, thanks,” Ren said.

“Don’t mention it,” Sojiro said.

Ren chuckled slightly. She then lowered her bag. “C’mon Morgana, let’s go!” Morgana hopped into the bag, and they headed out.

As they were going to school, the Phantom Thieves group chat started up.

Makoto: I have some bad news, and some…interesting news.

Yusuke: What is it?

Makoto: Sis has a crusader now.

Yusuke: What?!

Makoto: Even worse, it’s herself.

Ryuji: FOR REAL?!

Futaba: Yeah, that’s bad.

Sumire: Maybe we should have made a mad dash in.

Jose: Actually, I think this might be better.

Ryuji: HOW?!

Jose: At least this way, once we win, it’ll be easier to get Makoto’s sister on side.

Ren: Hmmm

Ren: That may be true.

Ryuji: Great. Now all we have to do is win.

Ann: You say that like it’s impossible.

Jose: Yeah Ryuji. You taught me nothing is impossible.

Ryuji: …I guess you’re right.

Ryuji: LET’S DO THIS!

Ann: YEAH!

Lena: What’s the interesting news?

Makoto: Oh, right.

Makoto: My sister’s assistant gave me a call.

Makoto: She said something weird and troubling happened.

Lena: Huh.

Haru: Do you think your sister’s assistant knows something?

Futaba: Her becoming her own crusader certainly fits the bill.

Makoto: Well, I’m meeting her after school today to confirm.

Haru: Do you want me to come with you?

Haru: If it is what we suspect it might be, then it might be easier with two people.

Haru: I know I was worried when I talked to you about Hiroki. I thought you thought I was a lunatic.

Makoto: I think I’ll be fine on my own.

Makoto: Besides, it might be overwhelming for her.

Haru: I see.

Makoto: Good looking out though.

Ren: So, you meet with your sister’s assistant, and then come over to Leblanc to meet with us.

Makoto: I think that’s the plan.

Ren: Alright. Let’s go!

They put their phones away, and headed to school.

Meanwhile, Riko arrived and knocked on Sae’s door. “It’s me,” she said.

“Come in!” Sae said.

Riko opened the door. “Hey, um, so, not that I don’t believe in you, but how are you feeling?”

Sae smiled. “I’m feeling better than ever.”

Riko was surprised.”Oh! Oh, well that’s great!”

Sae nodded. "I just needed some time to think.”

“Right,” Riko said. “Well, you know I’m here in case you need anything.”

“Of course,” Sae said. “Thank you.” Riko smiled, nodded, and closed the door behind her. She sighed, unsure of how to feel. She sat at her desk, and began work for the day.

A little while later, Riko came into Sae’s office again. “Um, I’m thinking about taking my break now,” she said.

“Actually,” Sae responded, “I think you’re free to take the rest of the day off.”

Riko was stunned. “R-Really?”

Sae nodded. “I was just here today to make some preparations.” She got up and walked to Riko. “The rest of the day, I have something else to do.”

“Oh?” Riko wondered. “Um, maybe I could be of assistance?”

Sae shook her head. “It’s alright Riko. What I’m doing now, well, to be honest, I need to do on my own, OK?” Riko nodded. Sae put her hand on Riko’s shoulder. “Good. Thank you for being there for me. I was a little skeptical at first, but you really are amazing. Don’t let anyone else tell you otherwise.”

Riko got slightly embarrassed. “Th-Thanks.” Sae smiled and nodded. She then started to gather her things. Meanwhile, Riko kept watching her for a bit, before slowly backing away and doing the same.

Riko was on her way to Shujin. School had let out not too long ago, so she decided to give Makoto a call. Makoto answered. “Hello?”

“Uh, hi,” Riko said “I’m almost there.”

“Great,” Makoto said. “I’m just wrapping up a few things, and then I’ll meet you outside.”

“Sounds good,” Riko said. “Wait, um, I don’t think we know what we look like.”

“Oh, right,” Makoto said. “They gave a brief description of each other. “Well, see you soon then?”

“See you soon,” Riko said. They hung up. Riko kept going.

She soon arrived and began looking for Makoto. “Hey!” a voice called out. She saw Makoto rush up to her and ask “You’re…Riko, correct?” Riko nodded. “I’m Makoto.”

Riko smiled. “Nice to meet you,” she said, reaching her hand out. Makoto reciprocated the handshake. “So, where do you want to meet?”

“Well…” Makoto said, treading carefully. “Let’s head over to the diner on Central Street.”

Riko shrugged. “OK.” The two women headed over.

Once they were situated, Makoto asked “So, what did you want to talk about?”

Riko showed some trepidation. “Well…” She sighed. “This is going to sound insane, but Sae needs help.”

Makoto put her hand on Riko’s. “Don’t worry. I’m here for you, and for my sister.”

Riko felt a little more relaxed. “So, last night…things got really intense. We were called over to the SIU director’s house…”

“Wait, his house?” Makoto said.

Riko nodded. “He posted bail.”

“Figures…” Makoto said. “Anyways, please continue.”

Riko nodded. “He had given us a calling card. He said it was from The Phantom Thieves, and it said that they were going to kill him in a month.”

“I’m sorry, what?” Makoto said, aghast.

“When we met with him previously, he said that he was coerced into this mental shutdown business by The Phantom Thieves in the first place,” Riko continued.

“WHAT?!” Makoto said, simply baffled by the audacity of this man.

“I mean, I don’t believe it,” Riko explained, “but Sae seems dead set on this idea. Anyways, after our first meeting, I decided to get some help. So one of my friends hooked me up with a simple listening device. I had a feeling the director was hiding something, but I needed proof.

When we were called back there, I hid the bug and checked in a little late. He said that his plan was to lure The Phantom Thieves in and either have Sae take them out, or have them weaken her enough so that they can take Sae out.” Makoto gasped, her face turning pale. “He then discovered the bug, and destroyed it.”

“Well…at least we got that information,” Makoto assured her.

“Well…” Riko said. “He knew of the bug’s existence and just told me as an insult, saying that nobody would believe me.”

“Oh…” Makoto said, dejected.

“Yeah,” Riko agreed. “Now, as crazy as that is, it’s nothing compared to what happened next.” Makoto listened closer. “I…went to tell Sae this, but she wasn’t in her office. Instead, there was this mysterious figure, calling herself Sae’s ‘new assistant’.”

“Huh,” Makoto said.

“She explained that she gave Sae the power to take on The Phantom Thieves,” Riko went on. “I tried to explain the situation, but the figure was intent on Sae pursuing them. The figure then also offered me this power to join Sae, but I refused.”

“Wait, huh?” Makoto wondered.

“The figure then laughed,” Riko explained. “They said that things were going their way anyway, so she said she’d give me a key, but all she told me was ‘Fashion Show’.”

“Match Found,” Makoto’s phone said, confirming everything for her.

Riko was confused. “What was that?”

“Oh, um, well….” Makoto said. She couldn’t afford to keep Riko in the dark anymore. “Listen, I have a solution, but I’m going to need you to swear to absolute secrecy, do you hear me?”

Riko was taken aback. Still, she answered “Um, sure.”

“Great,” Makoto nodded. “Now, let’s go. I have some friends I’d like you to meet.” Riko was still confused, but decided to go along. She was already this far in; might as well go the whole nine yards.

A little later, Makoto and Riko arrived at Leblanc. Makoto went to open the door. “Um, the sign says it’s closed,” Riko said.

Makoto smiled. “Don’t worry.” She opened it.

Inside, the other thieves had already assembled. They turned towards her. “Hey Makoto,” Ryuji said.

“How’d it go?” Ann asked.

They noticed Riko. “Who might this be?” Yusuke asked.

“Everyone, this is Riko,” Makoto introduced. “She’s my sister’s assistant.” Everyone was stunned silent. Her presence enough confirmed that she knew something vital, and they were both eager and terrified of what she knew.

“Uh, hi?” Riko said, still a little confused.

“Riko, these are my friends,” Makoto said. “And we are The Phantom Thieves.”

Riko was surprised by this “Oh! Oh. Uh, hi.” The thieves greeted her.

“Now,” Makoto asked, “would you tell everyone else what you told me?”

Riko nodded. “Sure.” She turned back to everyone. “Well, um, before we get to it, I do want to say that I am personally a huge fan.” The thieves were a little surprised. “Now then…” Riko explained what had happened.

Once she finished, Yusuke said “I see…”

“Holy shit!” Ryuji exclaimed.

“That was certainly a lot,” Haru said.

Riko was still a little confused. “You…seem to know what’s going on.”

“Well, we are The Phantom Thieves,” Futaba said.

“And this concerns us deeply,” Ann added.

“Care to explain then?” Riko said.

“Certainly,” Jose said. “Um, where do we begin.”

“Well, I will say, your hunch about the calling card and the director’s explanation of things is false,” Sumire said.

“We didn’t even form until April,” Ann added.

“And that figure you saw,” Lena said. “Her name is Eris.”

“Eris?” Riko wondered.

Ren nodded. “She goes around causing trouble for us.”

“I see,” Riko said.

“Now, before we continue, I will say,” Ren said, “the things we’re going to tell you are going to sound unbelievable, but it is the honest truth. Do you understand?” Riko nodded. “Good. So, we as The Phantom Thieves don’t entirely operate on this plane of existence.” Riko was confused.

Futaba took the wheel. “You see, there’s an alternate dimension called ‘The Metaverse’, and we have access to it. Using this access, we go in and steal people’s desires, changing their hearts.”

“Oh!” Riko said. “That…That explains a lot and nothing at all.”

“It’s hard to believe,” Makoto said. “I don’t think I’d believe it if I didn’t go myself. Oh, speaking of,” she took her phone out, “Do you have this app?”

Riko looked at the strange app. She checked her phone. “Nnnnnnno? I don’t think so.”

Yusuke sighed. “I was looking forward to having a new teammate.”

“I think it’s better this way,” Lena said. “I mean, it’d be nice to have someone keeping an eye on Makoto's sister for us knowing what we know.”

“That is true,” Yusuke said.

“Assuming she’d join us,” Ryuji said.

“I will!” Riko insisted. “If it’s for Sae’s sake...I will.”

Ren smirked. “Sounds like we got us a new ally. Futaba, you wanna finish explaining?”

Futaba nodded. “OK, so, for most of the people, we go to this place called Mementos. However, some people have desires so warped, they have these things called Palaces, which are essentially big structures that symbolize their power and desire. We go in, steal the treasure, and their heart changes.”

Riko nodded. “So, where does Eris come into play?”

“Well, that’s where things get tricky,” Ren said.

“Eris is a being who corrupts a person to also take on the palace ruler,” Futaba said. “However, their aim is usually…more violent to say the least.”

“Oh,” Riko said. “So those are the other people you mention on the calling cards.”

“Precisely!” Jose jumped in.

“So, who’s Sae crusading against?” Riko asked. Everyone was a little surprised. “I mean, if this Eris person gave her power, she’s crusading against someone else, right?”

“Well…” Ryuji said.

“No,” Makoto said, firmly. “My sister is crusading against herself.” Riko gasped. “It’s a really dangerous combination, so we need to get this right.”

“Plus with everything you said about the director,” Lena pointed out. “This is going to be even more dangerous.”

“Especially with how connected he is with this mental shutdown business,” Haru pointed out.

“We certainly have our work cut out for us,” Sumire said “But it’s nothing we can’t handle!”

“So,” Ren said, “are you still in?”

Riko was shaking. Still, she knew her answer. “Of course! What’s our plan of attack?”

Ren smiled. “Well, our first goal is to do a little reconnaissance. We’ll take a look at her palace from the inside, while you quietly gather information for us. Once we have a good idea of what we’re up against, we can formulate a plan.”

“Alright,” Riko said. “So, are you going to do that now?”

“Well…” Ren said.

“It’s getting late,” Ann said.

“I think we should wait until we’re at 100%,” Sumire said.

“Tomorrow works fine for me,” Yusuke said.

Makoto nodded. “The sooner the better.”

“Alright, that makes sense,” Riko said. “Plus, I can gather some info.”

“That’s the spirit!” Haru said.

“In the meantime, you want something to eat?” Ren offered.

“Oh, uh, sure,” Riko answered.

“Anyone else?” Ren offered. They all agreed. Ren then got to work making dinner for the group. Once they ate, the group broke off, and headed home for the night.

In her room, Ren was lying on her bed. Morgana slinked in. “Oh, hey Morgana,” Ren said. “What do you make of all of this?”

“Well…it is unusual, even for us,” Morgana replied.

“Do you think we can succeed?” Ren asked.

“Well, I guess it depends on what our goal is,” Morgana said. “We have a lot on our plate, and if Eris is convinced that something will go haywire, as much as I hate to admit it, I don’t doubt that happening.”

“Well a little chaos is fine,” Ren said. “We just need to manage it.”

“That’s true,” Morgana said. “But I think before we make any definitive move, we have to know as much as we can.”

Ren smiled. “My thoughts exactly.”

Morgana smiled back. “Well, I’ll leave you alone for now. Then tomorrow, we strike!”

Ren got up and walked Morgana to the door. “Goodnight Morgana.”

“Goodnight,” Morgana said, leaving. Ren shut the door, and turned off the light.

As she turned to head back to bed, she noticed that Eris was sitting there. “Well well, what a lovely new room.”

“Eris…” Ren said with contempt

“The one and only,” Eris replied.

“What do you want now?” Ren wondered.

“I just came in to see how things are going,” Eris said, standing up. SHe walked up to Ren and began circling her. “It seems that the keeper of the key managed to get it to you faster than I had anticipated.”

“Sorry to ruin your fun,” Ren said.

Eris stopped in front of Ren. “Oh dear, the fun is only just beginning. Like I told Riko, something’s going to give.”

“We’re aware,” Ren said.

“You don’t seem so hostile about that,” Eris said.

“Personally, I think something needs to give,” Ren said. “That way, we can grasp onto something and finally get a leg up on the situation.”

“Hm hm,” Eris chuckled. “You know I’ll always be one jump ahead.”

“We’ll see,” Ren said.

“He he,” Eris giggled some more. “You don’t even know what’s beyond this palace, and you think you’ll still hold out.”

“I've held out so far,” Ren countered

“True, but this is going to be different,” Eris said. “Although, you still need to manage this series of events first. What will you sacrifice to get to the bottom of this?”

“Well, we’re working on figuring that out,” Ren said.

Eris laughed. “You say that, yet it’s not going to be as simple as you think.”

“Well, with everyone working together, it’ll be simpler than you think,” Ren said.

“I suppose,” Eris said. “But at this stage in the game, no one is willing to give up something for free. You have to be prepared to ante up, and for everyone else to do the same.”

Ren smirked. “I think that’s where you’ve underestimated us. We’ve been all in since the beginning.”

Eris laughed some more. “That MOXY! Well, just so you know, when your chips are down, I’d be happy to give you some more…for a fee.”

“We’ll be fine,” Ren said. “We’re good at loading the deck.”

“If you say so,” Eris siad. “But don’t say I didn’t warn you. Remember: you’re in too deep now. The consequences will be DIRE if you can’t manage a miracle.”

“Well then, a miracle is what we’ll aim for,” Ren countered.

Eris shrugged. “I guess it’s no use trying to convince you.”

“About time you learned that lesson,” Ren reported.

“Oh don’t worry,” Eris siad. “I’m also all in, and I will break you, one way or another. This conversation is just a courtesy before things become too overwhelming. You think you’ve seen everything I can do? You’ve seen nothing yet! I pray you come to your senses and you won’t need to see what I am capable of.”

Hunger-Eris: Rank 7

Eris disappeared after her ominous threat. Ren decided to shrug it off and got to bed for the night. She had a big day tomorrow.

Meanwhile, director Ono was at his house making tea. He then took a needle, drew some blood from his finger, and dripped it into one of the cups. He mixed it in with the tea, and headed out. Sae was waiting for him. “Here you are,” Ono said, giving Sae the tainted tea.

“Thank you,” Sae said. She sipped her tea. “Now, as for my conditions.”

“Fire away,” Ono said.

“First, I want you to actually serve time,” Sae said. “I’m not letting you get off with just a fine, even if you can afford it.”

“Of course,’ Ono said.

“But more importantly,” Sae said, “once this is said and done, I want your job.”

“Pardon?” Ono said.

“You heard me,” Sae insisted.

Ono was a little reluctant. “Fine. I suppose you’ve earned it.”

Sae smirked. “Excellent.” Ono smiled back, though his was a deceptive smile. Each of them thought they had the other where they wanted. Yet neither of them knew that The Phantom Thieves were preparing to disrupt both their plans.

Notes:

So, yeah, I could not hold out starting the infiltration until after the Cultural Festival. I tried delaying it as much as I could but with everything the way it is, it made no sense to delay it that much. I'd figure it's be easier to just start earlier and work towards the eventual end goal.

But yeah, things are definitely heating up. And I cannot wait to see this unfold. It'll be something interesting to ay the least. Anyways, enjoy.

Chapter 183: Experts in a Dying Field

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

After Ren headed to school, Sojiro headed to work. He was planning on taking the afternoon off, but that didn’t mean he could get a few morning customers. Before he opened though, he made a phone call. “Hey, it’s me…Listen, I just want to talk. Is that alright with you?...Great. Where do you wish to meet?...I see. Alright, I can be there at about 4;30, maybe 5, how does that sound?...Alright. See you then.” He hung up. He sighed. “Let’s hope this works.”

A little while after school got out, The Phantom Thieves, sans Makoto, entered. Sojiro was curious. “Aren’t you missing someone?”

“They’re meeting with someone,” Ren said.

“They might know something about the predicament we’re in,” Haru added.

“Gotcha,” Sojiro said. “Well, the place is yours for the afternoon. Don’t burn it to the ground.”

“We won’t!” Futaba said

Sojiro smiled. “That’s my girl!” He left. “Seeya!”

“Bye!” the thieves called out. Sojiro tensions were somewhat eased with all those people supporting him, but he knew he had to face this challenge using his own skills.

On his way, he stopped by a few stores. He wanted to pick up something, but he didn’t know what to get. It took some time, but he managed to find something suitable for the occasion.

He arrived at his location. “Huh,” he said, looking up at it. It was the studio where Sumire practiced gymnastics. He walked in, and soon spotted Coach Hiraguchi.

She spotted him soon after. “Hey,” she said.

“Hey,” Sojiro said. “I brought you a little something,” he offered her a fruit soda, and was holding one for himself as well.

“...Thanks,” Hiraguchi said, taking it. “If you don’t mind, I have to wait until everyone leaves.”

“Fine by me,” Sojiro said. “Do you want me to wait with you, or am I fine outside?”

“I’d prefer it if you were in here,” Hiraguchi answered. “No offense, but a man who doesn’t know any of the young girls exiting this building waiting outside seems a little…”

“Right,” Sojiro agreed. The two waited for everyone else to leave, drinking their sodas in the meanwhile.

Once they all left, Hiraguchi said “Thanks. Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“Eh, it’s fine,” Sojiro replied. “So, do you want to talk here?”

“No,” Hiraguchi answered. “I just figured it'd be easier meeting here.”

“I see,” Sojiro said. “Well then, where do you wish to go?”

“How about the park?” Hiraguchi said. Sojiro was confused. “You seem surprised.”

“Sorry,” Sojiro said. “I’d just thought you’d want to eat after all this.”

“I can wait,” Hiraguchi said.

Sojiro nodded. “Very well. Let’s go.” The two of them headed out.

Once they got to the park, they sat down on a bench. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

“It’s complicated,” Sojiro said. “Mind if I smoke?”

“I do, actually,” Hiraguchi said.

“Hm. Figures,” Sojiro said. He took a deep breath. “You’re both right and wrong about me.”

“Huh,” Hiraguchi said, slightly confused about where this was going.

“You would have hated younger me,” Sojiro said. “To be honest, I kind of hate him too. I was self-absorbed, and not willing to keep any personal relationships. I’d go from woman to woman like there was no tomorrow. I just did what I felt like because I could.”

“Sounds charming,” Hiraguchi said, sarcastically.

“But that all changed when I met her,” Sojiro said. Hiraguchi was intrigued. “Her name was Wakaba Ishiki, and she was like no woman I’d ever met before. She knew all my tricks, and one-upped me at every turn. Normally, I’d talk someone into what I wanted, but she did it to me.

We grew closer, first as friends, then as lovers. She taught me that life is more than about what I wanted. She taught me what it means to be close to someone. She opened my eyes. I thought I was living, but after meeting her, I truly was alive. Then one day, she…she passed away.”

Hiraguchi went pale. “I’m…I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” Sojiro said.

“Is it?” Hiraguchi asked.

“It’s as OK as it can be,” Sojiro replied. “Her death is…complicated to say the least. But it happened, and I have to live with that fact, no matter how much I hate it.”

“I see,” Hiraguchi said.

“Once the dust settled,” Sojiro continued, “I reverted into some of my old habits. Sleeping around, smoking, you know.” Hiraguchi nodded. “But it never felt truly the same. I was doing those things for comfort, but I didn’t feel the same. And I wasn’t. I had changed. Those things couldn’t make me as happy as they used to.

I took in Wakaba’s daughter after she passed. Raising her hasn’t been easy; she took her mother’s death worse than anyone. But it’s certainly been rewarding. Partially because takes a lot after her mother. Partially because it’s nice to have someone to talk to, both the good and the bad. But a lot of it is I get to watch her grow into an amazing person. I never considered having kids, but she changed everything for me too.”

“And what about Ren?” Hiraguchi asked out of curiosity.

Sojiro smirked. “I feel the same. She’s an unusual one, but I like that in people. When I first agreed to watch over her, I didn’t entirely know what I was getting into, but she’s done just as much for me and Futaba as we've done for her. Maybe more.”

“Futaba?”

“My daughter.”

“Gotcha.”

“All this to say,” Sojiro said, wrapping up, “I’m not opposed to a relationship like that again, but I am afraid. What Wakaba and I had was special. I want that again, but I’m afraid I’d be betraying her.”

Hiraguchi looked at him intently. “I think she’d want you to be happy, even if it’s with someone else.”

“Thanks,” Sojiro said. “I just wanted to tell you that. I figured I owe you that much after butting heads a couple of times. We’re adults. We should act like it. No playing these silly games.”

“You’re right,” Hiraguchi said. She frowned. “Truth is, you’re luckier than you think.”

“Excuse me?” Sojiro said.

“You can still cherish Wakaba,” Hiraguhi said. “I married my middle school boyfriend. He and I were practically inseparable. We had the same interests, shared the same favorite foods, it was like we were made for each other.

However, a few years into our marriage, we tried having kids. After not succeeding for a while, we found out that I was unable to have children.” Hiraguchi started tearing up. “And..and he just divorced me. Just like that. Not caring about anything else. The moment I couldn’t carry a child, I was useless to him, and he just ran off, looking for someone who could. It all felt like a big lie. I’d spent most of my life at this point with him, and he threw me away at the first possible opportunity.”

Tears started streaming down her face. “It’s not like I wanted to be infertile. But the worst part is there’s a part of me that still loves him. He was such a big part of my life for so long. I couldn’t give it up like he could. And that hurts more than anything else.”

She cried a little more, before wiping her tears. “So, that’s why I'm a little hesitant when it comes to relationships. I was fooled before. I am adamant about not getting fooled again.”

“Hm. I see,” Sojiro said. “It sounds like we both have our baggage."

“It does, doesn’t it?” Hiraguchi responded.

“Perhaps we should take it slow,” Sojiro said. “If we rush into things, it might make for a bit of trouble.”

“That sounds smart,” HIraguchi said.

“So,” Sojiro said, “why don’t I take you out for dinner? As friends?” He offered his hand to her.

Hiraguchi’s stomach growled. “I’d like that.” She took his hand and stood up.

“Great,” Sojiro said. “But we’re just starting as friends.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “Right.” The two walked off to get some dinner.

A little while later, the two of them were in Hiraguchi’s bedroom after having had sex. “Wow,” Sojiro said.

“Wow,” Hiraguchi repeated. She turned to Sojiro. “Tell me: Was this a play by you?”

“Boy, I wish,” Sojiro said. “But I think that’s giving me too much credit.”

“I see,” Hiraguchi said.

“Hey,” Sojiro said. Hiraguhi looked at him. “I know we said that we’d take things slowly because that’s the safe thing to do, but I think the two of us need to be pushed out of our comfort zone a little.”

Hiraguchi nodded. “I agree. My comfort zone is stupid asshole who I haven’t even seen in over ten years. I’d like to finally get past him once and for all.”

“And I’d like to feel more alive again, rather than just going through the motions,” Sojiro said.

“So, it’s a deal then?” Hiraguchi said.

“I believe so.”

Hiraguchi smiled. “Hm hm. How wonderful.”

Sojiro smiled back. “Sooo, ready for round two then?” Hiraguchi answered him with a passionate kiss. Sojrio matched her passion, as they went at each other into the night.

Notes:

I know I'm interrupting the buildup to Sae's palace for sad-to-sexy middle aged hours/Sojiro's 9.5 but A. I do think it's a nice break in the tension, B. It made sense to do here, and C. I've been waiting to do this for a long time, and I could not put it off any longer. I'm a sucker for romance, and this is a non-conventional romance story. It's two hard-shelled but broken people coming together because they need and want each other, and I think that's wonderful.

Anyway's the palace introduction is next chapter, which may or may not come out this year yet, who knows. But do be cautioned that there's going to be a bit of whiplash between this and that. Enjoy!

Chapter 184: New World Order

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Sunday morning, and Riko walked into the prosecutor’s office. She was a little on edge after learning the truth yesterday, but she was determined to save Sae, even if it meant betraying her a little bit.

She walked to her desk and set her things down. As she was doing it, Sae walked out of her office. “Ah good, you’re here,” she said. Riko looked at Sae. “I’m going to need your help.”

“Sure,” Riko said. “Anything.”

Sae nodded. “As you know, The Phantom Thieves are going to make a play for Director Ono on November 21st.” Riko nodded. “So we have to manage to flush out The Phantom Thieves before then.”

Riko nodded. “But how do we do that?”

Sae smiled. “I’m glad you asked.” She brought out a piece of paper. “We offer a bounty.”

“A…A bounty?” Riko wondered.

Sae nodded. “If anyone has any information on who The Phantom Thieves are, The Prosecutor’s Office will pay handsomely; up to one million yen!”

“I see,” Riko said. “I’m sure we have a robust apparatus for verifying if a claim is true or not. Because people will lie for one million yen.”

“Of course,” Sae said. “We’re also narrowing down potential candidates as we speak. We just need to compare and contrast. Besides, if we don’t have any solid information, we’ll go ahead and make some arrests on the 20th.”

Riko went pale. “Um, not to be rude or anything, but um, what if we arrest the wrong people? I mean, I’m sure we won’t, but on the off-chance?”

Sae grinned. “That’s the beauty of it all,” she said. “We use The Phantom Thieves’ purported chivalry against them. If we arrest someone who is innocent, they’ll HAVE to turn themselves in to free those people. But we probably won’t make a mistake like that. After all, we have a 99% guilty rate.”

Riko was shaken. “Well, um, is there anything I can do?”

“Of course,” Sae said. “I want you to go over Wakaba Isshiki’s notes. They’re on your desk already. I’ve been through them a few times, but while the information is handy, I haven’t found anything that breaks the case open. But now that we have some semblance of how some of these mental shutdowns were carried out, maybe something will pop up. Unfortunately, I’m going to be busy setting up this bounty plan, so I’m afraid that I won’t have much time to do it. So, could you help me with that?”

“Of course!” Riko replied. “Oh, um, would it be alright if I reviewed Diretor Ono’s personnel file as well? I’m just wondering because he’s been part of this mission for the last two years, but we only found out recently, so maybe we can figure out something.”

Sae smiled. “See? THIS is why I love having you around. Of course! Go ahead.”

Riko bowed. “Thanks.” She began to go over to get the director’s personnel file from the records room, while Sae went on her way to finish setting up this bounty plan.

Meanwhile, Ren, Futaba, and Morgana were getting ready to head out. “We have some Phantom Thief business we need to take care of,” Ren told Sojiro.

Sojiro nodded. “Alright. See you later.”

They were about to head out, when something caught Futaba’s eye. “Hang on,” she said. “Why are all your cigarettes in the trash?”

“Well-”

“And…why do they look wet?” Futaba continued.

“That’s…” Sojiro answered. “It’s a long story. I’ll tell you later, OK?”

“Huh?!” Futaba said. “But Sojiro!”

“Don’t you have Phantom Thief stuff to take care of?” Sojiro countered.

Futaba huffed. “Fine! But I will get an answer sooner or later!”

“I told you that you would,” Sojiro said.

Futaba turned and walked out. “Hm.” Ren nervously chuckled and followed Futaba out.

A little while later, The Phantom Thieves gathered at the courthouse. “So, are we ready?” Makoto asked.

“Remember,” Ren interjected, “this is just an information gathering mission. We go in, see what we’re up against, and then get out.”

“Man,” Ryuji moaned. “There’s a part of me that wishes we could just blitz this thing. But I know that wouldn’t do us much good at the moment.”

“True,” Yusuke said. “We’re up against more than what we’ve been accustomed to.”

“Think of it like training,” Sumire said. “What we do now will help us in the long run.”

Ryuji smirked. “Thanks Sumire.” Suddenly, their phones went off.

Riko: Good news: I know what the plan is.

Riko: Bad news: You’re not gonna like it.

Riko: Sae’s putting a bounty on any information about The Phantom Thieves.

Riko: She’s going to take it, and the information she’s gathered so far and issue a warrant for your arrest on November 20th.

Riko: And she doesn’t mind getting it wrong, because she assumes that if she gets it wrong, you’ll turn yourselves in to save the innocent.

“WHAT?!” Ann yelped. “That’s totally cruel!”

“Oh my!” Haru said.

“Calm down,” Makoto said. “This is why we teamed up with her.” Makoto texted back.

Makoto: Thank you.

Makoto: We’re just about to start the recon from our end.

Ren: Is there anything else you can tell us?

Riko: I am going over some things to see if I can glean anything.

Riko: Maybe I can send you guys copies to go over.

Ren: That sounds great!

Lena We won’t be able to act on it right away, but we’ll get the job done.

Riko: I’ll share what I can parse from them too.

Futaba: What are we looking at, by the way?

Riko: The director’s personnel file, and notes from someone named Wakaba Isshiki.

Futaba: Mom’s notes?!

Riko: She’s your mom?!

Futaba: Yeah…

Riko: You might have an easier time figuring it out than I will then.

Riko: I’ll take pictures and send them your way, got it?

Futaba: Got it!

Riko: Good luck out there!

The Thieves left the group chat.. “Well then…” Makoto said.

Ren nodded. “Let’s have a look, and then meet back at Leblanc to discuss our plan going forward.” Everyone nodded. They loaded up the app. “Sae Niijima. Courthouse. Fashion show.”

“Navigating.” The world spun around them like it had done previously. Some of the newer members were still a little befuddled by it, but the older members were more used to it by now.

Once on the other side, the thieves were in awe. The building sure looked like a casino, and there was a sign advertising it as such, but the sign had a different sign over it that read “Under New Management.”

“Well, this is surprising,” Jose said.

“What’s changed since the last time you were here, Queen?” Morgana wondered.

“Well…it looks similar…” Makoto said. “Sorry, I was only in there for a short period of time.”

“It’s OK, Queen,” Haru assured her. “This is why we’re going in now.”

Makoto nodded. “Right.”

“I take it the front door is not the best option,” Ryuji noted.

“As per usual,” Ann said.

“Well then, let’s find another way in!” Morgana rallied. Everyone nodded, and started looking.

As they started looking for a way to progress, Futaba noticed something. Up in the sky, she saw a shadowy blur dart across the sky. “Huh?!” She tried to focus in on it, but before she could finish her scan, it raced off and hit itself. “Darn it!”

“Something the matter, Oracle?” Jose wondered.

“I saw something suspicious up in the sky,” Futaba answered.

“What do you think it was?” Lena asked.

“Not sure,” Futaba answered. “I only got half way through the scan. But it was weird.”

‘“Maybe we’ll catch it on our way out,” Haru assured her.

“Maybe,” Futaba said.

“Well, for right now, let’s focus on getting in,” Ren said.

“Man, I hate not knowing things!” Futaba said. The group shuffled on. They soon found a fire escape they could climb up. They jumped over to the roof, and then found a door they could enter.

Once inside, they found themselves up in the rafters. Looking down, they saw a plethora of people wandering through. They also saw racks of clothes. The people were checking them out. “Huh,” Makoto said.

“I thought fashion shows were about others showing fashion off,” Haru said.

“Well, people do come to buy the fashion,” Ann pointed out. “It’s up to the models to show how fashionable the clothes are. Although, I will admit this kind of setup is a little unusual.”

“Remember, we’re in a palace,” Morgana said. “Things are going to be warped and distorted.”

“I guess Kaneshiro’s bank wasn’t all that realistic,” Makoto said.

“And Madarame’s museum surely left a lot to be desired,” Yusuke added.

Sumire spotted something. “What’s that?” She pointed them in the direction of a poster.

“‘The New World Order Fashion Show’,” Futaba read out. “‘Starting November 20th.’”

“That…can’t be good,” Ryuji moaned.

“Well, it confirms what Riko told us,” Ren said.

“Speaking of,” Lena said, “I know she’s not with us, but do you think she should get a codename too? I mean, if we say Riko’s name enough in here, maybe Sae will start to distrust her.”

“Not a bad idea,” Morgana pointed out.

“But what would it be?” Ryuji wondered.

“Perhaps we should have asked her before coming in here,” Yusuke lamented.

“Well, for right now, how about we just go with ‘Secretary’,” Makoto said, “and then we can ask her for a proper name later.”

“Sounds good to me!” Lena said.

“Alright then,” Ren said. “Based on what Secretary said, this all lines up.”

“But how does catching us constitute a ‘New World Order’?” Sumire wondered.

“Maybe we’ll figure that out once we explore more,” Haru said.

“Right!” Sumire said.

“Well, no time like the present,” Ren instructed. “Let’s move!” The thieves crawled across the lights and rafters, darting back and forth. They soon found a vent and crawled through it.

Once they got to the other side, they heard Sae’s voice ring out. “Come on down, you unfashionable thieves!”

“‘Unfashionable’?!” Ann shrieked. “Where does she get off?!”

“Um, shouldn’t we be more worried we’ve been caught?” Ryuji wondered.

“Should we do as she says?” Jose asked.

“I think if we don’t, we’ll be in a heap of trouble,” Sumire answered.

“I think we’ve crossed that line already,” Ren said. “But I agree. Let’s see what she has to say.” The thieves climbed down to meet Sae face-to-face.

Once down there, they saw Sae wearing her black dress ensemble, covered in makeup and tattoos. In front of Sae on either side of her were burley enforcers. However, they were wearing glittery ball gowns. And to Sae’s right was Riko, who was wearing a maid uniform. “OooooooooK,” Ryuji reacted.

“What do you want?” Ren said, getting to the point.

“Hm hm,” Sae chuckled. “Right now, it’s not about what We want, it’s about what you want. You’re after Our treasure, aren’t you?”

Makoto was slightly confused. “‘We’?”

“Well, technically, yes.” Jose said.

“We don’t HAVE to be,” Haru explained.

“If you could just listen to us,” Yusuke said.

“SHUT UP!” Sae barked. “You think you know what’s going on? You don’t! Once We’ve captured you, you’ll be the trophies for Our New World Order Fashion Show!”

“So why don’t we settle this here and now?” Ryuji snapped.

“Hm hm,” Sae chuckled. “Unfortunately, this place needs to be renovated, and We have business to attend to. Isn’t that right, Riko?”

“Correct Madame,” Riko said.

“Still,” Sae’s voice said without moving her mouth, “We like a challenge.”

“Um, since when did your sister practice ventriloquism, Queen?” Yusuke asked.

“She doesn’t,” Makoto said.

The shadow of Sae’s shadow began to move on its own. It eventually popped up between the guards and the thieves, apparating into a replica of Sae covered entirely in shadow. “That’s…creepy,” Lena remarked.

“Was that the thing you saw earlier, Oracle?” Jose wondered.

“I don’t think so,” Futaba answered.

Shadow Sae giggled. “We’ve heard tell that you really are just,” she said. “Plus, you’ve managed to avoid capture thus far, despite the odds. So think of this as a challenge! If you can manage to steal Our treasure before We take you in, then you’ll have proven to Us your worth. If you don’t, well, you’ll prove yourselves to be the rotten thieves We always thought you were.” Shadow Sae giggled more.

“What’s the catch?” Futaba asked.

“No catch,” Shadow Sae said. “Other than ‘survive’.”

“If you can make it to Our office in the Exclusive Member’s Suite,” Sae interjected, “then you may face Us head on,”

“But that’s a big ‘if’,” Shadow Sae remarked.

The thieves were confused and angry. “Um, pardon me,” Sumire asked, “would you mind telling us what this “New World Order Fashion Show’ is?”

“Why most certainly,” Shadow Sae said.

“It’s simple,” Sae said. “Once We've captured you, We can begin reforming the world, making it a better place. No longer will the whims of a few decide the fate of many. We will take what is Ours, and show the world that True Justice will PREVAIL!”

The thieves were stunned. “Sounds lofty,” Ren said, “but what does that entail exactly?”

“What a good question,” Shadow Sae said.

“Basically, We will reform all of the problems our society has,” Sae answered. “It might be a bit hard for you to comprehend, so perhaps an example might be in order.” Sae held up a leash. She pulled on it.

Out from behind her walked out director Ono. However, he had extensions on the sides of his head giving him pigtails, and he had a pink pacifier in his mouth, and  was wearing a collar, which the leash was connected to. He also had on a white crop-top, a blue skirt, white knee-high socks, and white heels. The thieves were stunned. “And this is just a taste of things to come,” Sae added.

“Wha-What is this?” Ann wondered.

“Don’t you worry your pretty little head,” Sae said.

“We’re merely holding him to the same standard that he’s held women to all his life,” Shadow Sae explained. “We’re sure you lot, while detestable in your own way, haven’t succumbed to his kind of behavior.”

“He is facing his just desserts!” Sae declared. “And he will be the first of many!”

“Unless you stop Us, of course,” Shadow Sae said. “But We doubt that will happen.”

“Guards!” Sae called out. The two guards in front of her morphed into shadows. Sae, Shadow Sae, and Riko started walking. “Come along,” she instructed director Ono, dragging his leash again. He stumbled a bit, but started walking with them. They walked over to an elevator. “Bye bye!” They went up.

“Grrr, I can’t WAIT till we wipe that smug look off her face!” Ryuji shouted. “Both her faces!”

“Skull FOCUS!” Ann said.

“Yeah, right now, we have something else to deal with!” Morgana said, pointing at the approaching shadows.

“Well, you know the drill,” Ren said. “Let’s roll!” The Thieves engaged the shadows. Despite their earlier presence, the thieves made quick work of them.

“Another job well done!” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “Now let’s have a look at that elevator.” Everyone else nodded. They all went to investigate. 

Ren pressed the button. “Please present your membership card!” the automated voice said.

“Huh?” Lena wondered.

“Looks like we can’t get much further without a member’s card,” Futaba pointed out.

“Is this typical for fashion shows, Panther?” Jose asked.

“Well…sometimes,” Ann said. “Fashion is a business. Industry leaders and highly influential people alike need a place separated from the usual crowd to discuss things.”

“Like what?” Ryuji asked.

“Trends, materials, color palettes, stuff like that,” Ann said.

“That sounds like a lot,” Yusuke said.

“Trust me, you don’t know the half of it,” Ann said.

“Well, regardless, it looks like we’re going to need a member’s card to access the elevator,” Lena said.

“Didn’t she mention she was going to the Exclusive Member’s Suite?” Haru wondered.

“It seems pretty straightforward,” Morgana commented.

“My sister usually is,” Makoto said. “Although that can hurt more than being deceived.”

“Yeah…” Sumire said.

Ren looked over her team. “Well, it seems like we have a clear plan of attack,” she said. “We need to find ourselves a member’s card, and get up to her before November 20th.”

“Should we start now?” Ryuji wondered.

Ren shook her head. “Let’s regroup. This isn’t a normal infiltration after all. We have to worry about other things.”

“True,” Makoto said. “And if it goes even the slightest bit wrong, things will spiral beyond our control.”

“We can’t let that happen,” Sumire said.

“Indeed,” Ren said. “So let’s head out.” The Phantom Thieves nodded, and began to leave the palace.

As they were heading out Futaba noticed that blur again. She tracked it intently, and said “Don’t think I forgot about you!” The shadow darted around before disappearing again.

“I’m sorry you missed him again,” Haru said.

“Ha!” Futaba chuckled.. “As if! I got the other 50% I needed!”

Haru giggled. “Way to go!”

“What is it?” Makoto wondered.

Futaba began analyzing it. “Hmmmmm. Huh? What the?”

“Is something the matter?” Yusuke asked.

“I’ll explain once we get out of here,” Futaba said. The thieves nodded, and left the palace.

The thieves arrived at Leblanc. “Hey boss!” Ren said, walking in.

“Welcome back,” Sojiro said. “How’d it go?

“Well…” Ren said. “It was complicated to say the least.”

“You want some dinner then?” Sojiro wondered

“Always!” Ren replied.

“Hm. Very well,” Sojiro began making them dinner.

The thieves sat down. Their phones went off. “Oh,” Makoto said. “It looks like Riko sent us that information she promised.”

“I can pour over that in the coming days,” Futaba said.

“Well, maybe,” Ren said. “Tuesday and Wednesday is our cultural festival.”

“You-You want me to come?!” Futaba said.

“Well, it’d be nice,” Ren replied.

“It is open to the public,” Ann said.

“So we can come as well?” Jose asked.

“Of course!” Ann answered.

“I think it’d be better if we all showed up anyways,” Makoto said. “We have Akechi speaking, so it’d be a good time to try and intercept him, since we know where he’ll be.”

“I guess that’s true,” Futaba said. “Alright! For The Phantom Thieves!”

“By the way,” Yusuke asked, “what was that thing you spotted, Futaba?”

“Oh, right,” Futaba said. “Well, um, it’s tricky. So, first off, I need to point out, that weird shadowy apparition is the Crusader side of Sae.”

“Figures,” Ryuji said.

“It’s just like you with that mask,” Yusuke pointed out.

Right…” Futaba said. 

“How can you tell?” Haru asked.

“It has the same reading as Hiroki did,” Futaba answered.

“So, is the blur another crusader?” Morgana wondered.

“Not quite,” Futaba said. “So, you remember how we fought that principal’s shadow?”

“Of course,” Yusuke said.

“Wait,” Makoto interrupted. “Don’t tell me it’s the same reading!”

Futaba shook her head. “It’s a little more complicated than that.”

“Great!” Ryuji remarked. “Just what we need: another layer of complication.”

“It was more like 50% similar to that principal’s shadow,” Futaba explained, “and 50% crusader.”

“That’s…really peculiar,” Morgana said.

“Indeed,” Futaba said.

“So, what’s the difference?” Lena asked. “Like, why is it only part crusader? And isn't Sae her own Crusader?”

“That’s where it gets complicated,” Futaba said. “A crusader is more interested in taking over the palace, claiming it as their own. The principal’s shadow was there to destroy us. The thing I saw seemed to have the power to infiltrate a palace like a crusader can but is more interested in destroying it, rather than keeping it up under new management.”

“I see,” Sumire said.

“But what’s something like that doing there?” Jose asked.

“I’m not sure,” Futaba said.

“Hold on,” Morgana said. “Didn’t Riko say that the director was also after Sae?”

Makoto gasped. “You don’t mean…?”

Morgana nodded. “Maybe that thing is a manifestation of the director.”

“But we saw the director,” Ryuji pointed out.

“That was Sae’s cognition of him,” Morgana said. “If my hunch is correct, the thing Futaba saw might be the real deal.”

“So, we’re fighting a two-front war, huh,” Sumire remarked.

“On the plus side, I’ve only seen it outside,” Futaba said. “And based on its movements, it hasn’t gone in yet.”

“Maybe it’s waiting,” Jose speculated.

“For what?” Ann wondered.

“Us,” Jose answered.

“Woah!” Lena said.

“So, it’s just waiting until we go through the palace to take her on?” Ryuji asked.

“That’s…also in line with what Riko said,” Makoto pointed out.

“This keeps getting more and more complicated,” Ren remarked.

“Well, at least we have a time frame,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “November 20th. And based on what we have so far, we’re going to need every minute of that time.”

“I am a little concerned about this ‘New World Order’ of hers,” Lena pointed out.

“Do you have any idea what that translates to in this world?” Jose asked.

“I…” Makoto stammered. “I think it has something to do with why she’s working so hard. But I don’t know much about the specifics.”

“I see,” Jose said.

“I can try fishing for some,” Makoto said. “But I might not get great answers.”

“That’s alright,” Ren said. “I think we have enough to work on anyway. So, the plan is, we need to figure out how to get to Sae’s treasure, stop the director’s plan, and maybe get closer to our actual goal by November the 20th! Sound like a plan?!” The Phantom Thieves cheered. “Alright then.”

“Here you go,” Sojiro said, dropping off their food. The thieves ate, ready to take on their next task.

Notes:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

The thieves have officially begun looking into Sae's palace, and so far, what they have found is cause of concern. Between a grand conspiracy set to take both Sae and The Phantom Thieves out of the running and Sae's own delusions of grandeur, can the Phantom Thieves keep their head above water? Find out...NEXT YEAR! (For real this time!)

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 185: Savior

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Monday, as Ren arrived at school, Makoto came up to greet her. “Hi.”

“Hello,” Ren replied. “Is something the matter?”

“Well…sort of,” Makoto said. “The same issue as always, but today we’re going to do something!”

“Ummm, come again?” Ren wondered.

“Oh, right, sorry,” Makoto said. “Well, I was just thinking… We’re dealing with my sister right now, so it’d be good to take some weight off of my shoulders. So I was thinking we could once and for all open Eiko’s eyes!”

“Gotcha,” Ren said.

“Meet me after school,” Makoto said. “We’re heading to Shinjuku!” Ren nodded. They both headed to class.

After school, they met up, and took the train. “So,” Ren asked, “What’s the game plan?”

“Phase one: we find evidence of Tsukasa’s wrongdoing?”

“And then…?” Ren wondered.

“We’ll take the evidence to Eiko,” Makoto said. “She is working today.”

“Gotcha,” Ren said. “Well, this is your mission. Just tell me what to do.”

Makoto smiled and nodded. “Thanks.” They soon arrived in Shinjuku. “Alright, let’s split up! Ask around; somebody’s bound to know something about Tsukasa. Message me if you find anything, and we’ll meet up.” Ren nodded. They split off.

Ren started asking around. Soon, she was told by someone that the ‘champagne bottle’ trick is a patented Tsukasa-special for luring vulnerable women into servitude. After she was told to “stay away from that devil in a white tuxedo”, Ren messaged Makoto, and they met back up.

Makoto nodded. “I’ve heard similar things as well. Now, let’s take this info to Eiko.” Ren nodded, and they went off to find Eiko.

She was just heading into work, when she heard “Hey!” Eiko turned around, and Makoto and Ren were rushing towards her.

Once they arrived, Eiko asked “What do you want?”

Makoto felt the sting from that, but didn’t care. “Eiko!” she pleaded. “Tsukasa isn’t who you think he is.”

“This again?!”

“People have told us that Tsukasa has used this trick before,” Makoto continued.

“And you believe them?” Eiko replied. “I can make things up too, you know.”

“Eiko, please!” Makoto said. “I know you’re smarter than this! Why do you ignore the red flags?!”

“Is something the matter, Princess?” Tsukasa said, appearing out of the blue.

Eiko was stunned. Still, she replied “People are saying mean things about you.”

“Oh my my,” Tsukasa said. “I guess they’re just jealous.”

“Of your penchant for kidnapping women?” Ren remarked.

“Bah ha ha!” Tsukasa laughed. “It’s that kind of talk that destroys trust in our society. We’d be better off if we simply told the truth. Isn't that right, princess?”

“Of course!” Eiko said.

Makoto looked at him sternly. “You keep calling her ‘princess’. Do you know her name? Or is she just one of many ‘princesses’ to you?”

Tsukasa smirked. “Why of course she’s the only princess for me,” he replied.

“Then say her name,” Makoto replied. “We’re all ears.”

Eiko looked at him lovingly. “...Well?”

Tsukasa grinned. “She’s just trying to split us apart. But you’re the only one for me Makoto.” All the girls were stunned. “...What?”

“Hm,” Makoto said. “Just as I figured. You really don’t know her name.”

“What do you mean?” Tsukasa said.

“I’M Makoto,” she said. Tsukasa was stunned. “I sent you a text telling you to meet me here, in Eiko’s voice. But you didn’t pay attention.” Tsukasa was sweating bullets. “I guess that means that you really aren’t who EIKO here thinks you are.”

Tsukasa looked at Eiko, who was in disbelief over this. He then looked back at Makoto. He rushed forward, raised his hand, and shouted “You BI-” Before he could slap Makoto, his hand was grasped.

Everyone looked up and saw a police officer arresting Tsukasa. “Tsukasa Tsukasa, you’re under arrest!”

Eiko gave him a confused look “Your name is Tsukasa Tsukasa? You never told me that.”

“Well, you never told me your name!” Tsukasa replied.

“I did!” Eiko said firmly. "Several times."

“Oh…” Tsukasa said, defeated.

“It sounds stupid,” the officer said, “but it threw us off for a bit. We were confused looking for a first or last name that didn’t exist.”

“I see….” Ren said, completely taken aback by this explanation. The officer started taking Tsukasa ways.

Eiko turned to Makoto. Makoto was stunned. “Well…”

“Did you do that too?!” Eiko asked.

“No!” Makoto answered.

“Why should I believe you?!” Eiko snapped back.

“You’re my friend!” Makoto protested.

“A real friend wouldn’t lie like this!” Eiko snapped.

Makoto walked over and slapped Eiko across the face. She then placed her hands on her shoulders. “Eiko, LISTEN! Tsukasa is a bad man! He tried to sell you, like he sold others before. And deep down I know you knew that before today! I’m sorry I lied to you! I’m sorry I wasn’t as supportive! But you have to understand, I’m doing this all as your friend!”

Eiko was stunned for a moment before backing out of Makoto’s grasp. “This isn’t about you! For the first time in my life, I found somebody to love! Were there risks? Yes! But I took them because I wanted to, and figured that I could get out before anything really bad happened!

But no! YOU had to stick your nose in! You didn’t trust me to handle it! You wanted to torpedo my relationship because you thought it was bad! But you don’t know relationships like you know science, or history! I bet you’ve never even kissed someone before! So stay out of things you know nothing about!” Makoto went pale.

Eiko grumbled for a moment before saying “I have to get to work.” She walked into the hostess club, dejected.

Ren turned to Makot. “Did you call the cops?” she asked.

“No!” Makoto protested.

“I did.” The girls turned around and saw Naoko standing before them.

“Wha…What are you doing here?” Makoto asked.

“I told you I was working a case,” Naoko said.

“And…it just so happened to be this one?” Makoto wondered.

Naoko nodded. “I got a tip from an old buddy of mine; A former yakuza guy. Said someone was suspicious  of this one guy with ill intent.”

“You don’t say,” Ren remarked.

Naoko smirked. “I…think you two should hide,” he said. “This area will be crawling with cops soon.”

“But wasn’t Tsukasa arrested?”

Naoko nodded. “He’s just the tip of the iceberg. After our investigation, we’ve found he’s been working with several people to do his nefarious deeds. We’re going to flush them out now.”

“I see,” Makoto said, unaware of the scope and scale.

“C’mon!” Ren said. “I know where to hide.” Makoto was still shaken by the events that unfolded, but followed Ren

They walked into Crossroads. “Aren’t you here a little early?” Lala remarked.

Ren smiled. “I was just in the area. Apparently there’s a big bust about to go down, so we figured it’d be best to stay out of the cops’ way.”

“I hear that!” Lala said. “Stay as long as you need to. I’ll give Ichiko a call. She’ll FLIP over a scoop like this!”

“Of course,” Ren said. “But while you’re doing that, could we get two sodas? And maybe some fries?”

“Sure thing, sweetheart!” Lala said. She prepared them their drinks and fries, and gave it to them.

“You seem close,” Makoto said.

“I come here often,” Ren said. “But as you can tell, she’s really nice!”

“Right,” Makoto smiled. She soon frowned. “I guess I’m not thought.”

“What do you mean?”

“I slapped Eiko!” Makoto said. “Some friend am I.”

“You were just trying to get through to her,” Ren said. “It’s not like you did it to hurt her.”

“Well…” Makoto said. “She also mentioned that this wasn’t my business. That I don’t know what’s going on. And on some level, she is right.”

“About the whole ‘love thing?” Ren asked. Makoto nodded. “I’m sure you’ll figure that out. I mean, look at me! I didn’t think I’d ever date someone! And now I’m going out with the girl of my dreams!”

“I guess that’s true,” Makoto said. “But I didn’t trust her. Maybe I should have."

“Maybe,” Ren said. “But it’s not too late.” Makoto looked at her. “I mean, you can still apologize.”

Makoto smiled. “You’re right.” She sighed. “I guess I didn’t have as much social experience for something like this, huh.”

“Well the only way to learn is trial and error,” Ren said.

Makoto giggled. “Of course. Thanks for helping me through this.”

Ren nodded. “Anytime.”

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 9

The girls hid out in Crossroads for a while, before heading out to go home once the coast was clear.

Once Ren got to the Central Street terminal, she got a call. “Hello?”

“Good evening,” Lavenza said. “I wish for you to take me somewhere this evening.”

Ren smiled. “I’m close by. I’ll see you soon.

“Excellent,” Lavenza said. She hung up. Ren soon arrived at The Velvet Room door. “Greetings.”

Ren chuckled slightly. “Where do you want to go today?”

“Hmmm,” Lavenza pondered. “I wish to go to a place that people say was built to reach the heights of the heavens!”

Ren pondered that. “Could you maybe…be referring to the Sky Tree in Asakusa?”

Lavenza nodded. “That’s it!”

Ren nodded back. “Well then, let’s go.” Ren offered her hand to Lavenza. Lavenza grasped onto it, and the two headed off.

Once up in the Sky Tree, Lavenza was astounded by the view. “Woooooow! You can really see a lot from up here!” Ren nodded. “Although this isn’t as high as the heavens, it’s still amazing.”

“Well, if I recall correctly, there is at least one story of people trying to reach Heaven, and that didn’t end up too well.”

Lavenza nodded. “The Tower of Babel. It is said that in order to stop its construction, God created different languages and made people speak them so that no one could understand each other.”

“Although that’s becoming less of an issue as of late,” Ren said.

“Do you think that today's humans could make a real Tower of Babel? I mean, I know this is impressive…”

“Eh,” Ren replied. “I think we’re still a little too divided.”

“I see,” Lavena said. She looked out again. “This is a nice view though.”

“It is,” Ren said. “And despite everything, I think it’s a good reminder. Lavenza looked up at her. “Of what?”

Ren smiled. “Just look out there,” she instructed. Lavenza did. “You can practically see the whole city. Millions of people coexisting, and it’s all right here. While there is a lot that divides us, I’m starting to believe that there’s more that unites us.”

Ren frowned. “I never believed that before. But then again, I closed myself off before. I was in my own little world, separated from everyone. Only when I reached out to others, and others reached out to me did I see that we’re all connected in this world. And sometimes…a lot of the time, it’s a mess, but there are moments of beauty to be found; whether it be this gorgeous cityscape, or someone like you.”

Lavena blushed. “Oh my!” She looked out once more. “I guess it is interesting. While nothing is clear, you can see a vast array of worlds in a single view. It’s almost like Heaven in that way. Although I guess in other ways, it’s also like Hell.”

“How do you figure?” Ren asked.

“Well, to see so many people and not be able to do much,” Lavenza answered. “I’m probably witnessing tragedy without knowing it. It’s almost heartbreaking.”

“I suppose,” Ren said. “But we just need to try our best, and do what we can. We can’t save everyone. I mean, besides this whole mission against Eris.”

Lavenza chuckled. “I suppose you’re right.” She smiled. “But despite all of that, I think this still brings hope. Seeing so many people in a single view is both a gift and a curse. It reminds you you can’t save everybody, but as long as everybody saves somebody, then I think humanity will be better off for it.”

"Well then, I guess this place is neither Heaven nor Hell,” Ren remarked.

“True enough,” Lavenza grinned. “It’s just another facet of humanity.” She looked up at Ren. “Trickster. You mentioned earlier about saving humanity from Eris. You cannot accomplish such a mission on your own. In another universe, I tried fighting against a similar being on my own, and it did not end well for me. So, if you ever need saving, I will be there to save you.”

Ren smiled. “And I’ll be there to save you as well.” She held out her fist. Lavenza was initially confused, but decided to place her fist against Ren’s. Once she did, she was amazed.

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 6

Ren and Lavenza put their fists away. “That was truly delightful!” Lavenza exclaimed.

“Hm hm. I’d thought you’d like it,” Ren replied. “Are you ready to go home then?”

Lavenza nodded. “Yes.” Ren and Lavenza took the elevator down, and headed off for the night.

Notes:

Happy New Year!

JSYK, we're probably going to get to Makoto 10 in the near future. I know some of the confidant stuff is paced a little randomly, but it's kind of how it is in the games as well, and this is the way it makes sense for me.

Another fun tidbit, I did start writing next chapter thinking it would be a part of this chapter, but after thinking it through, it'd be too out there for this chapter. So enjoy that super sneak preview.

Enjoy.

Chapter 186: First Date?

Notes:

Yeah, I'm glad I made this its own chapter. This is a lot for being a little vignette. It's better as its own chapter.

Anyway, at the end of the chapter I want to discuss the chapter, so I'll take this time now to say I've been playing P5T since I got it as a Christmas gift. It's really good, but I have not finished it (I'm in the third Kingdom, and boy does this game keep getting more intense). But weirdly enough, playing it helped me solidify my idea for Strikers. I'm sure once I finish Tactica, I'll have an idea of how/if I want to do it. I probably do, but it'll be a bit of a tightrope to figure out how.

Anyways, enough rambling. Enjoy!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sae had been working all day. Her new found vigor towards capturing The Phantom Thieves had put a considerable pep in her step. Why wouldn’t it? She was on the verge of completing a lifetime of work to become the youngest, and first female SIU Director.

She was still human though. Despite all of her work, she grew hungry. Still, with the added bit of confidence, she knew just what to do. She walked out of her office to see her assistant Riko packing up. Riko noticed her exiting her office as well. “Oh. Hi there!”

“Are you going home?” Sae asked.

“Oh, well, I was leaving,” Riko said. “But I was actually going to meet a friend.”

“Huh,” Sae said. “I haven’t heard anything about your friends.”

“Yeah, well,” Riko said nervously, “we just have conflicting schedules is all.”

“You don’t have to leave when I leave,” Sae reminded her.

“Right, well, um,” Riko continued, “I’m going to meet her at her work.”

“Ah,” Sae said. “Will her work allow it?”

“Yeah…” Riko said. “It’s…it’s a restaurant.”

Sae was surprised. “I see. Well, isn’t that just serendipitous.”

“Huh?”

“I was going to ask if you wanted to go eat somewhere,” Sae said. “I’m getting kind of hungry.”

“Oh,” Riko said. “Well, let me just call my friend to tell her I’ll swing by another time.”

Sae was confused. “Ummmm, I thought I could come along and meet your friend as well.”

“Huh? OH! Oh, yeah,” Riko said, nervously. “That…that could work…”

“You seem nervous,” Sae said. “Do I come off as that unapproachable?”

“Oh! No,” Riko answered. “It’s just…I don’t know if you’ll like this place.”

“Well, they can’t all be winners,” Sae said. “Besides, meeting your friend will make up for it.”

“Right…” Riko said. She composed herself. “Um, so, are you ready?” Sae nodded. “Great!” Riko said. She started walking out with Sae following her. “Great…”

Soon, they arrived in Akihabara, and face to face with the stairs leading up to the maid cafe, Alice’s Apron. “Huh,” Sae said.

“We…we don’t…” Riko said.

“It’s OK,” Sae replied. “We’re here for you and your friend.”

“O…OK…” Riko said. “Then…let’s go in.” Sae nodded, and the two of them headed inside. Once there, Riko turned to the check-in maid. “Hi. Um, table for two. And we’d like to request Airi.”

“Certainly,” The maid said.

“Airi?” Sae replied.

“My friend,” Riko replied.

“I see,” Sae said.

“Right this way,” the maid said. The two of them followed the maid to their seats.

Once they were seated, Sae asked “So, how long have you known Airi?”

“Oh, uh, we were friends in college,” Riko said.

“Were you roommates?” Sae wondered.

“No!” Riko said. “No…um…no…” Sae was stunned. “Eh heh, sorry. It’s just…there’s some…complication to that…”

“Oh…” Sae said. “Sorry for bringing it up.”

“It’s…it’s alright,” Riko said. “I know you didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Hello!~ Airi said, arriving at their table. She was wearing her maid outfit and had brown hair that ran down to the lower tips of her shoulder blades, and glasses. “How may I serve you this evening?~”

“You must be Airi,” Sae

Airi was surprised by Sae being there. “Um, yeah…” she replied. “Sorry, I was told Riko was here for me.”

“Didn’t Melissa tell you I was here with someone?” Riko asked.

“I…guess I must have missed that,” Airi said.

“The maid who welcomed us was named Melissa?” Sae wondered.

“Well…” Riko said, nervously.

“Oh yes,” Airi said. “Although that is her ‘on the job’ name. Most maids here have one.”

“But you’re an exception?” Sae wondered.

“Yeah,” Airi said. “Some people like me just use their regular name.”

“That…seems a little dangerous,” Sae said.

“Oh, don’t worry,” Airi said. “It’s nothing we can’t handle. We’re good at making sure things go smoothly around here.”

“Oops!”

“Well, mostly,” Airi said.

“What's that about?” Riko wondered.

“We hired a new girl,” Airi said. “Her name is Clara, and she’s a bit clumsy. Though management says that some people like that. It’s not my thing though.”

“Well, there is a certain charm to it,” Sae said. “Although, I’d rather have someone competent serving her.” She winked at Riko, who blushed a little.

“Well then,” Airi said as she curtsied, “how may I serve you today, masters?~”

Riko sheepishly looked at the menu. “I’ll have the sincere omelet.”

“Same,” Sae said.

“Certainly! Coming right up!~” Airi said. She went off to get their orders.

“She’s lively,” Sae said.

“Yeah,” Riko said. “But she has a heart of gold.”

“Speaking of,” Sae said, “how are you doing?” Riko was caught off guard. “I know things have been a little hectic as of late. I don’t want you to break under the pressure of it all.”

“Oh, it’s no trouble at all,” Riko said. “I went to college for this kind of thing.”

“RIght…” Sae said. “If you don’t mind me asking, what did Airi go to college for? I mean, I don’t know how well it worked out if she’s working here…”

“You can just ask me yourself, master!~” Airi said, arriving with the omelets, catching both Sae and Riko off guard. “Here you are! Omelets made filled with my sincere love and adoration for you, masters!~”

“That was quick,” Sae said.

“Ah, don’t be silly,” Airi said. “You should know the turnaround time here by now.”

“Pardon?” Sae said.

“Oh, don’t be silly,” Airi said. “You come here all the time!”

Riko looked at Sae. “You do?”

“Ummm….” Sae said.

“Wait, you didn’t recognize her?” Airi said. “She came by a lot while you were on shift.”

Sae was even more confused. “You worked here?”

“...Back in college,” Riko admitted.

“Yeah, we both started here around the same time!” Airi said.

“I…I see…” Sae said.

“Back when we started, I chose the name Caroline, and she chose the name Justine,” Airi explained. “We had a lot of good times here. But when she left, I felt like I couldn’t be Caroline anymore, so I switched to my real name.”

“I see,” Sae said. “You two must be close.”

“We are,” Riko said. “Although, not as much as I’d like to be.”

“Yeah, work gets in the way,” Airi said. “Although I’m glad she found some time tonight to visit me!”

Sae looked at Riko. “Do…you want some time off?”

Airi was surprised. Riko turned to Airi and said “I…didn’t introduce you. Airi, this is my boss, Miss Niijima.”

“BOSS?!” Airi shrieked. She bowed. “Forgive me! I thought you were a friend. I mean, you came by so often, I just thought one of those times you two hit it off.”

Sae chuckled. “It’s quite alright. I know there is some level of power dynamic, but I do think of Riko as a friend.”

Riko blushed. “Th-thank you…” Sae chuckled.

Airi also chuckled. “Oh, and to answer your question, I have a degree in technology,” Airi said. “However, I mostly get hired to do contract work, so I don’t have a steady source of income outside of this.”

"Oh!” Sae said.

“Besides, I like this place!” Airi said. “And I’ve been here so long, I know everything down to a T.”

Sae nodded. “I respect that.”

“That being said,” Airi said. She curtsied again. “Is there anything else I can get for you, masters?~”

“I could use some water,” Riko said.

“Same,” Sae said.

“My my,” Airi said. “You two are in sync on just about everything, huh.”

“Well…” Riko said

“Relax!” Airi said. “It’s a good thing!”

“I agree,” Sae said. “I know you’ve been working with me for less than two months, but I trust you completely.”

Riko was stunned. She smiled, and said “Thanks.”

“Well, I’ll go get that water for you now,” Airi said. She started heading off, before turning back to Riko. “Oh, and you don’t need to pay double. This was SO much better!” She walked off.

Sae was confused. “What was that about?”

“Oh, well uh, I asked her for a favor,” Riko said. “In exchange, I promised to pay her double the next time I came by.”

“How’d that go?” Sae wondered.

“Well….” Riko said. “A little mixed so far, but I think it’ll yield good results.”

Sae nodded. “Here’s hoping.” Both of them chuckled.

Riko frowned slightly. “I…didn’t know you came here often.”

“Oh, well, uh,” Sae said. “It’s relatively cheap, and it’s open late. It’s fairly convenient, especially since I work long hours. But I’ve been coming here since I was in college, as it was convenient then as well.”

“Right,” Riko said. “I’m just surprised I didn’t recognize you.”

“I’m surprised I didn’t recognize you either,” Sae said. “I guess we must have missed each other.”

“I...guess…” Riko said. “I was a little more shy back then.”

“I tend to be a little reclusive myself,” Sae said.

“I guess since we didn’t want to be noticed, we weren’t?” Riko offered.

“Perhaps,” Sae said.

“And, I, uh, looked a little differently back then as well,” Riko said.

“Maybe that’s it,” Sae said. “In college I was a bit of a mess. Well, more of a mess. I don’t think I grew into myself until like 23. Were you like that as well?”

“You…could say that…” Riko said, nervously.

“Maybe we’ve changed so much that we didn’t recognize each other,” Sae nodded. “And perhaps us being more creatures of solitude means that you getting hired brought us together like we should have been all those years ago.” Both of them blushed. “Oh. Sorry…”

“No, it’s alright…” Riko said. “I’m…glad I got to meet you finally.”

Sae smiled. “Me too.”

“Here’s your water!~” Airi said, arriving quietly.

“Oh, uh, thank you,” Sae said.

“Of course, master!~” Airi said.

“I’d like to take care of the bill, if you don’t mind,” Sae said.

“Why certainly!~” Airi said. Sae presented her credit card, as well as her stamp card. “Oh!”

“Well, she knows now,” Sae said, somewhat defeated. “I might as well.”

“Of course master!~” Airi said. She calculated some things. “Oh my! It appears that with this visit, you’ve earned enough to order from the special menu the next time you come!~”

Sae looked at Riko. “I think we should save that for a special occasion.”

Riko grinned. “Me too.”

“Mee three!” Airi said, excited. “This has been a delight. Give me a heads up when you come back!”

“Ummm, sure…” RIko said.

“Aw, I wasn’t that bad, was I?” Airi said.

“Well…” Riko said.

“You were a little brazen,” Sae said. “But because of you, we grew to know each other even more. So thanks.”

“My pleasure!~” Airi curtsied. Sae and Riko finished their omelets and water, and left. “Come again soon, masters!~”

Once outside, Sae and Riko looked at each other. “Well, this has certainly been an evening…” Sae remarked.

“Yeah…” Riko replied.

“Well, we should get going,” Sae said. “We’ve got to get some shut eye.”

“Right…” Riko said. The two of them stared at each other a little more. A light blush came across both their faces. They looked at each other some more, slightly leaning in.

Sae broke the trance by yawning. “Well, I should go! My sister’s probably waiting for me.”

“Yeah…” Riko said, slightly disappointed, but hiding it well.

“Well, good night!” Sae said, turning off and walking away.

“Goodnight!” Riko called out. She turned and walked off as well.

As Sae was walking home, she frowned. “What was that about? Am I too caught up in that dream? Maybe… But it doesn’t change the fact that I was this close to doing it in real life! Thank goodness I stopped myself. If I did that without her wanting to… Wait… Do I want to? Do I…like women? Of course not!

I mean, I’ve never had an interest in men. I’ve turned down every boy who confessed to me. And I have always been a little annoyed of men with girls who fawn over them, and wishing they'd fawn over me a little. And I really know how to appreciate a woman’s beauty. But I don’t LIKE women, right?”

She sighed. “Maybe I need to think this over.” She kept walking. “Besides, if it is true, I don’t know how much it will matter. I mean, soon enough, my New World Order will come into effect! What’s one more break in the mold?” She went on home for the evening, wondering about herself, but growing ever more confident doing so.

Meanwhile, as Riko was heading home, she sighed. “Why am I always such a coward? She was RIGHT THERE! Hm. I guess if she didn’t want to, I’d be infringing on her. She’d probably hate me if I did that. Although, I guess it’s a matter of time before she does.

But then again, she and Airi really hit it off. Airi accepts it. Perhaps maybe she’d be fine with it too. Wishful thinking, I know. Besides, I don’t think I’d want to go through with it while Eris still has her in her control. I hope they can fix it. Perhaps then we’ll see. I do hope she still likes me.”

Riko arrived at her apartment building. She noticed that everyone else was asleep. She preferred it that way, as no one was yelling at her. She usually stayed late with Sae for that reason. When she got to her door there, there was a piece of paper on it. It was the usual slur-covered mess. While this happened often, it still hurt her. She tore the note down, crumpled it, and walked into her apartment.

She immediately flopped down on her bed. She looked up and saw her trans flag looking back at her. To her, it was a lot. It was why her neighbors hated her. It was why her work pawned her off with little thought. It was why she was too nervous not to make a move on Sae when the opportunity presented itself. Yet there was no denying that this was who she was.

She closed her eyes. She imagined she was looking in a mirror. She was wearing a beautiful white wedding dress. She had just gotten married. Sae stood next to her, wearing a pantsuit-tuxedo. She offered her hand. “Shall we?”

Riko smiled. “We shall.” The two of them left the chapel, and got into a car, driving off together as a married couple.

In the real world, Riko told herself “That is me.” She smiled. “Hm.” She drifted off to sleep.

Notes:

So yeah. That was a lot. I had wanted to reveal that later, but as I was going through this chapter, it felt like I was playing too much of my hand, so I decided to go for it. Besides, I don't know if there was going to be a better time, at least in the near-future. But this whole chapter was an awkward symphony, and I love every second of it. And it's not too awkward where I'm a little uncomfortable, which make sense since I wouldn't write something I didn't like.

Anyways, I think the Sae arc might turn out to be one of the longest arcs for this story. Certainly the longest adapted from the game. Once third semester hits, that's going to be all me. I don't think the next arc will be as long, since it'll be more of a straight shot through everything, rather than untangling intrigue. Plus, I'll have less confidants to work with, since there's only one more to be introduced. Although confidants have always been a little more complicated to balance. But I'm sure we'll get it done.

Thanks.

Chapter 187: Cultural Festival

Notes:

Boy this is a long one. I debated about splitting up the Cultural Festival into two chapters, but I decided on one big chapter because it made sense to do so. But this is just a nice, fun, fluffy chapter for the most part. Enjoy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The Phantom Thieves arrived at Shujin academy for the Cultural Festival. “It’s even bigger than I imagined!” Futaba said, nervously.

“Don’t worry,” Sumire said. “We’re here for you.”

“Th-Thanks…” Futaba said.

“Should we stick together?” Ren asked. “For Futaba’s sake?”

“I’d agree, if Akechi wasn’t here,” Makoto lamented. “He’s already onto you. If he suspects that all of us are in on it, that could be disastrous.”

“So, what’s the plan then?” Ryuji wondered.

“I guess we just go about things as normal,” Ann said. “Just split up, and have fun.”

“Well, I’ll stay with Futaba,” Ren said.

“Me too,” Sumire offered.

“I dunno,” Futaba said. “I don’t want to be a third wheel.”

“It’ll be fine,” Sumire said.

“Besides, this is only day one,” Ren said. “We’ll help you today, and tomorrow you can go with someone else while we do girlfriend stuff.”

“That sounds fun!” Sumire chimed in.

Morgana popped out. “Maybe you should bring a bag for me,” Morgana told Futaba. “I don’t want to be a third wheel either.” Futaba chuckled.

“I’m meeting with Goro,” Lena said. “He has that speech tomorrow, so we figured that we’d have today to do boyfriend/girlfriend stuff.”

“Nice,” Ryuji said.

“Plus someone having eyes on Akechi at all times isn’t so bad,” Makoto said.

“But wouldn’t that make Lena a little suspicious?” Yusuke pointed out.

“Well…” Makoto wondered.

“It’s fine,” Lena said. “I won’t do anything to tip our hand.”

Makoto nodded. She looked at Jose. “So, Jose.” Jose looked up. “Do you want me to show you around?”

Jose nodded. “Of course!”

“Great!” Makoto replied. She turned to Yusuke. “What about you, Yusuke?”

“Ummm,” Haru interjected. “If you don’t mind, I’d like to bring Yusuke with me.”

“Sounds fair,” Yusuke said. “Besides, the more split up we are, the less likely Akechi will suspect a thing.”

“I guess that’s true,” Makoto said.

“So, does that leave just us?” Ryuji wondered.

“I guess so,” Ann said.

“Alright then!” Futaba said. “I’m joining you tomorrow!”

“Huh?!” Ryuji said.

“Um, why?!” Ann asked.

“If I’m third wheeling Ren and Sumire today, I’m third wheeling you two tomorrow!” Futaba declared.

“Figures,” Ryuji said.

Ann giggled. “Don’t worry,” she said. “We have today.”

Ryuji smiled. “Yeah.”

“Well, it seems like we know what we’re doing,” Makoto said. “Let’s head off!” They all nodded, walked into the school, and split up.

“So,” Ren asked, “What do you want to do?”

“I dunno,” Futaba. “I haven’t been to one of these in a while.”

“Well, my home room is doing a tea ceremony room,” Sumire suggested. “Why don’t we start there?”

“That sounds delightful,” Ren said. “What do you think?”

“I guess it couldn’t hurt,” Futaba said. “Besides, I wouldn’t mind some tea to calm my nerves.”

“I’m fine with it, just so long as we can do something I can partake in after,” Morgana pointed out.

Sumire nodded. “Very well. Follow me.” She led the group to her homeroom.

Meanwhile, Principal Arai was in the halls supervising. He smiled. “Well, you seem to be enjoying yourself,” a voice said from behind.

Principal Arai turned around and saw Akechi. “Ah, Akechi!” he said. “I’m glad you could make it on such short notice.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Akechi said.

Arai grinned. “You know, being back here, it feels like I’m finally home. Not that I didn’t like Kanshu, but…”

“Trust me,” Akechi said. “I understand.”

“Hm,” Arai smirked back. “So, do you have a sneak preview of tomorrow’s presentation for me?”

“No, but I have the next best thing,” Akechi said. He took out a box.

Principal Arai was confused. “What’s this?”

“I told Principal Fujimori that I was stopping by. She wanted me to give this to you.”

Arai opened it up. It was a pristine watch. He was astounded. He put it on. “Hm. I gave her something similar when she became principal two years ago. I’ll give her a call.”

“She’ll appreciate it,” Akechi said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to find someone.”

“GORO!” Lena yelled. She jumped into him.

Akechi was a little unprepared, but he caught her nonetheless. “Or they could find me.”

Arai chuckled. “I take it you’re close.”

Akechi nodded. “This is my girlfriend, Lena.”

Arai was a little surprised. “I see… Well, have fun you two.”

“We will!” Lena said. The two of them headed off.

“So, what do you want to do first?” Akechi asked.

“Well, my homeroom is doing a haunted house!” Lena said.

“Sounds fun,” Akechi said. They started making their way there.”

Meanwhile, Ryuji and Ann were making out behind some stairs. “Wait,” Ann said.

Ryuji was confused. “Am I not doing it right?”

“No, you’re fine sweetie,” Ann said. “But we can’t just spend all day doing this.”

“Why not?” Ryuji countered. “It’s fun!” Ann pouted. “OK,OK,” Ryuji caved. “Well, um, my homeroom is doing a haunted house. Wanna do that?”

“OK!” Ann said, cheerily. The two headed off.

Hiroki was waiting in the hall. “Hey!” Haru called out. Hiroki looked to see Haru walking up with Yusuke. They met up with Hiroki. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“It’s…it’s alright,” Hiroki said.

“I hope you don’t mind,” Haru said, “but my friend Yusuke came along, and I thought he’d like to come along with us.”

“Oh. Oh not at all,” Hiroki said.

“So, what is the plan then?” Yusuke asked.

“Well, Hiroki offered to take me to every food stand during the festival,” Haru said.

“Hm,” Yusuke said. “You know me too well. Let’s go!”

Hiroki nodded. “Alright then. Follow me.” He started moving, and Haru and Yusuke followed.

Haru caught up and whispered to Hiroki. “I’m sorry. I know you wanted it to be just the two of us, but he goes to Kosei, and I just-”

“Relax,” Hiroki said. “It’s fine. I get it.”

Haru nodded. “Thanks. They kept moving.

Makoto was taking Jose around the school. “How are you enjoying your tour of Shujin so far?”

“It’s interesting,” Jose said. “It’s like Kosei in a lot of ways, but it’s so different at the same time.”

“I didn’t know we had that much similar,” Makoto said.

“Well, it is a school,” Jose said.

“I guess that’s true,” Makoto replied. “Some things are universal, I suppose.” Makoto looked away for a second and frowned slightly.

Jose caught this. “Are you feeling alright?”

“Huh?” Makoto said. “Oh, sorry. Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Are you sure?” Jose continued.

“Of course,” Makoto said, lying. “C’mon. Let’s keep going!”

“OK…” Jose said. The two kept going.

Ren, Sumire, Futaba, and Morgana arrived at Sumire’s home room to partake in a tea ceremony. As they prepared, Kisa walked out. “Oh look! Kisa’s hosting,” Sumire said.

“Welcome,” Kisa said. “Please be seated.” The group knelt. Kisa came around pouring tea for everyone.

Futaba was having trouble staying on her knees. “Woah-eh-woah-eh,” she mumbled. Ren and Sumire helped her regain balance. “Eh heh,” Futaba laughed. Once all the tea was poured, they started drinking.

Once the ceremony was finished and everyone was standing again, Futaba looked a little pale. “Sorry,” Sumire said.

“It’s hard!” Futaba said. “I don’t normally need to balance like that. How do you two manage to do it?”

“Well I’m a trained gymnast,” Sumire said. “Balance is the first thing you need to learn.”

Futaba turned to Ren. “What about you?”

Ren shrugged. “My mom used to take me to tea ceremonies all the time. I guess I’m just used to it.”

“Ugghhhh,” Futaba moaned.

“Sorry again,” Sumire said.

“Hey,” Kisa said, coming up to them. The three looked at her. She seemed a little nervous. “Um, do you think you can take over, Sumire?” she asked. “I haven’t had a chance to walk about yet.”

Sumire smiled. “Of course!” She turned to the other. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Ren looked at Futaba. “Eh. I’m fine with it. Based on what I’ve seen, you'll do well.”

“Hm hm. Thanks,” Sumire said.

“We’ll catch up with you later,” Ren said. They started walking out.

After they exited, Kisa said “Hey.” Ren and Futaba looked at her. “Has…Makoto seemed different?”

“Ummm,” Futaba said, not sure how to answer.

“She has a lot on her mind,” Ren said. “Something happened yesterday, and while her basic goal was achieved, it wasn’t a victory in all senses.”

“I see,” Kisa said. “Alright, I’m going to try and find her.”

“Is that why you wanted to leave?” Futaba wondered.

“Well, mostly,” Kisa said. “My mom does tea ceremonies for a living, and so I was chosen to run it. I don’t mind doing it, but I would have liked a little more help.”

“I’m sure Sumire would have been more involved if she wasn’t at gymnastics practice a lot,” Ren assured her.

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” Kisa said. “I’m aware. But thanks. Seeya!” She headed off.

“So, what’s next?” Ren asked.

“I need a break,” Futba said.

“And you promised me something I could do,” Morgana said.

Ren thought about it. “Well, my homeroom’s doing a takoyaki maid stand.”

“Takoyaki?!” Morgana said. “Sounds yummy!”

“I agree!” Futaba said. “Let’s roll!”

Ren nodded. “I’ll lead the way.” She led Futaba and Morgana to her homeroom.

Meanwhile, Lena and Akehi arrived at the haunted house at the same time as Ann and Ryuji. They were shocked by each other. “Huh,” Akechi remarked.

“Well…” Ryuji said.

“Oh right,” Ann said. You two do share a homeroom.”

“You don’t say,” Akechi said.

Lena chuckled nervously. “I guess we had the same idea.”

“I guess so,” Ryuji said. “Great minds think alike, huh?”

“I agree,” Akechi said.

“Well, shall we enter?” Ann asked.

“I can’t wait!” Lena said.

“Let’s go!” Akechi said. The four entered the haunted house at the same time.

Meanwhile Makoto and Jose were walking around when Makoto bumped into someone. “Sorry,” they both said.

Makoto looked and it was Dr. Maruki. “Dr. Maruki.”

“Oh, Niijima-san,” Maruki said. He looked at Jose. “And who might this be?”

“My name is Jose,” he said, introducing himself.

“He goes to Kosei,” Makoto added. She then whispered “And he’s a fellow Phantom Thief.”

“You don’t say,” Maruki replied. “How goes that, by the way? Things are looking complicated.”

“You’re not wrong,” Makoto said. “But we’re making headway."

“Well that’s good,” Maruki said. “I’m sure the festivities are a nice break. How are you enjoying the cultural festival by the way?”

“I’m loving it!” Jose said.

“I’m having a good time too,” Makoto said.

“Liar!” Kisa shouted.

They turned to look at her. “Kisa?” Makoto said. “What are you doing here?”

“I was looking for you,” Kisa said. “Ren told me what happened yesterday.”

“She did?” Makoto wondered.

“What happened yesterday?” Maruki inquired.

“Well, she didn’t give me details,” Kisa said. “But she gave me the impression that things are going a little uneasy.”

“Why’d you lie?” Jose said.

Makoto was bereft. “Well…I’m sorry. I didn’t want to drag you down. Today’s supposed to be fun!”

“We can still have fun,” Jose said. “But I don’t want you to be worried.”

Makoto sighed. “Do you ever…feel like you’re doing the right thing, and then you just aren’t?”

“Are you really asking me this question?” Kisa asked back. “Who was it that I talked with after going on my own to try and get dirt on Kaneshiro?”

“Woah, you did that?” Maruki said.

“Kisa…” Makoto replied.

“I don’t know what happened,” Kisa said, “but I know you. You’ve come so far since we first met. Since you became student council president. Heck, even since the Kaneshiro incident! I know you can do it! Just relax.”

Makoto took a deep breath. “You’re right. Thanks Kisa.”

“Of course,” Kisa said. “What are friends for?”

Makoto let out some more air. “Sorry about all that.”

“It’s fine,” Jose said.

“Yeah,” Maruki added. “It’s OK to talk about this kind of stuff. I do that for a living. And you know if you need anything, my door is always open.”

“Right,” Makoto said. “A lot’s been weighing on my mind as of late. But I’m going to take it one step at a time.”

“That’s the spirit!” Jose said.

“So, what do you want to do now?” Makoto asked Jose.

“I guess I am getting a bit hungry,” Jose said.

“Well, I know just the place,” Makoto said. “Ren and Ann’s homeroom are doing a maid takoyaki stand.”

“Sounds wonderful,” Jose said.

“I’ll come too,” Kisa said. “I’ve been busy all day, and I could use some energy.”

“Hm hm. Follow me,” Makoto said. They started walking off.

“Later!” Maruki called out. Everyone waved back at him. He smiled. He went off in the opposite direction.

Ann, Ryuji, Lena, and Akechi emerged from the haunted house. “He he. That was fun,” Ann said.

“No kiddin’,” Ryuji added.

Lena, still clinging to Akechi, looked up at him and asked “What did you think, Goro?”

“Well…” Akechi said. He wasn’t entirely impressed, but he did like the fact that Lena was holding onto him the entire time. “It was wonderful!” Lena giggled.

“Well, I dunno about you, but I think I’ve worked up quite an appetite,” Ryuji said.

“I know!” Ann said. “My homeroom is doing a maid takoyaki stand!”

“I love takoyaki!” Lena said.

“Me too,” Akechi said.

“Well then, what are we waiting for?” Ann said. “I’ll show you the way.” The four of them headed off.

The four of them arrived just as Ren and Futaba showed up. “Oh. Hello,” Akechi said.

“Whatcha doin’ here?” Ryuji asked.

“Well, we were getting a bit hungry,” Ren said, “and this is my homeroom too.”

“I see…” Akechi said.

Just then, Makoto, Joe, and Kisa arrived. “Oh!” Makoto remarked, seeing the group that had amassed.

“Hello Makoto,” Akechi greeted.

“Hello,” Makoto replied.

At that moment, Hiroki was leading Haru and Yusuke over. “And the next stop on our food tour is…” they noticed the large group that had amassed. “Oh!”

“Hey Hiroki,” Makoto said.

“Hey boss,” Hiroki replied.

“Well, I take it we’re all here for the same reason,” Akechi said. “So, why don’t we all head inside?” The group nodded, and they headed in to have a seat.

Once seated, Makoto looked at Hiroki and said “So, you’re doing a food tour?”

“That’s…” Hiroki replied. “That’s correct.”

“It’s been wonderful so far,” Yusuke said.

“I agree,” Haru said.

Makoto smiled. She then looked at Ren and asked “So, um, where did Sumire go?”

“Oh!” Kisa interjected. “She took over for me at our homeroom.”

“Oh, I see,” Makoto replied.

“What are you doing, might I ask?” Akechi wondered.

“We’re doing a tea ceremony room,” Kisa said.

“Oooh! Sounds like fun!” Ann said. “Maybe we should go!”

“I dunno,” Ryuji said. “My leg still gets a little wonky in certain conditions. I don’t think kneeling for an extended period of time would do it any good.”

“You’re telling me,” Futaba said.

“She…didn’t have the best time there,” Ren admitted.

“I see…” Makoto said.

“What about you Goro?” Lena asked. “Would you like to go?”

“Well…how should I put this?” Akechi said. “I don’t have the fondest memories of tea ceremonies, so I’d rather not.”

“Oh,” Lena said, reading the subtext. “I see.”

“But if you and Ann want to go, I think Ryuji and I could wait outside,” Akechi said.

“Really?!” Lena said.

“Certainly!” Akechi answered.

“Is that OK with you?” Ann asked.

“I guess so,” Ryuji said.

Ann gave him a peck on the cheek. “Thanks.”

“Eh heh,” Ryuji smirked.

“Hmmm,” Yusuke said.

“Is something the matter?” Haru asked.

“I’m just trying to think about what to order,” Yusuke answered.

“Oh,” Haru replied.

At that moment, one of Ren and Ann’s classmates walked out wearing a maid outfit. “Welcome!~” she said. “How may I serve you today?~”

“I think some regular takoyaki will do,” Ryuji said.

“I’m sorry,” the maid said. “We just sold our last regular one.”

“Huh,” Hiroki replied.

“Well, variety is the spice of life,” Yusuke said. “In that case, I’ll have the mentai cheese taokyaki.”

“Sorry,” the maid said. “We’re all out of cod roe.”

“OK…” Makoto said. “What about the squid-”

“Sorry,” the maid said. “We’re still trying to catch squid! It’ll be about five or six hours.”

“You can just get some from the store…” Futaba pointed out.

“Actually,” Ann admitted, “we spent most of our budget on the maid outfits. Don’t they look cute though?”

“No offense, but I think you need to get your priorities straight,” Hiroki said.

“Well, in their defense, they do look cute,” Lena said. “Right Goro?”

“I guess so,” Akechi said.

“I mean, I’d look cute in those outfits, right?” Lena pressed on.

Akechi imagined that. He smiled. “Of course.” They shared a quick smooch. Lena chuckled.

“Um, well then,” Haru said, “what do you recommend with what you have now?”

“That would be the Russian takoyaki,” the maid said.

“We’ll have that then,” Haru said.

“OK!~” the maid said. “It’ll be just a minute!” She went back behind the screen.

“What makes a takoyaki Russian?” Hiroki wondered.

“Maybe it’s from Russia?” Makoto pondered.

“I guess we’ll find out one way or another,” Kisa said.

“By the way Jose,” Yusuke said, “how are you enjoying things so far?”

“Oh, I’m having a great time!” Jose said.

“I see,” Yusuke said. “If we split up again, should we figure out a time to meet? Or do you think you can make it back yourself?”

“I think I can make it back myself,” Jose said.

“Sorry,” Akechi interjected. “Make it back where?”

“Oh,” Jose said. “Yusuke and I both go to Kosei. We both live in the dorms as well.”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“We became friends once I started living in the dorms,” Yusuke said. “Most people tended to avoid me, but Jose is in a league of his own.”

“Oh right,” Akechi said. “You’re…” He stopped himself. “Right. Hmmmm.” He glanced at Ren. He looked over at Haru, and then back at Ren. “Hmmm.”

“Is something the matter?” Lena asked.

“Oh it’s nothing,” Akechi said.

“Here you go!~” the maid said, arriving with the takoyaki. One of them was piercingly red. “Enjoy!~”

“Wait…” Kisa said.

“Don't tell me… Makoto said.

“I guess THAT’S what makes it Russian,” Hiroki remarked.

Akechi smiled. “Well, let’s dig in,” he said. With his mind still working on connecting the dots, he didn’t pay attention as he grabbed the red one and popped it into his mouth. Everyone was stunned. “Hrk!”

“Goro?” Lena wondered. “Are you OK?”

“Heh,” Akechi laughed. “Fine. I’m fine. Eh heh.”

“I almost feel bad,” Futaba said.

“Well, with that one out of the way, I guess the rest of these will be normal,” Yusuke remarked.

“So they lied? Ryuji wondered.

“Well, this was fun in its own right,” Ann said.

“Still!” Ryuji protested.

“Well, no matter,” Ren said. “Let’s dig in!” They started grabbing some takoyaki. Ren grabbed some for Morgana as well.

Once they finished, they walked out. “Are you sure you're feeling OK Goro?” Lena naked.

“Fine,” Akechi said with a raspy voice. “I just need some water.”

“We’ll get some on the way to the tea ceremony room, OK?” Lena said.

“Sounds great!” Akechi said.

“I think I’ll head over too,” Ren said. “I want to check on Sumire.” She turned to Haru. “Do you think you could take Futaba and my ‘bag’ on your little food tour as well?”

“Why certainly,” Haru said.

“WOOOO!” Futaba cheered. “Food tour!”

“Hm,” Hiroki replied.

“You don’t mind, do you?” Haru said. “I apologize.”

“No, it’s fine,” Hiroki said. “I mean, it’s not what I imagined it, but it’s still fun. And that’s what’s important, right?”

Haru sighed. “Thank you.”

“Well then, shall we head off?” Yusuke said.

“Sure!” Hiroki said. Hiroki, Haru, Yusuke, Futaba, and Morgana headed out to finish their food tour of the cultural festival.

“I think I’ll go back to the tea ceremony room as well,” Kisa said. “I’m sure Sumire is doing a good job, but I think I need to take over once again.”

“We’ll come too,” Makoto said. “It sounds like fun.” They all headed off to the tea ceremony room.

Once there, Ann, Lena, Ren, Makoto, and Jose headed inside, while Akechi and Ryuji stood outside. “Feeling better?” Ryuji asked.

“Oh, yes,” Akechi said. “Eh heh.” Ryji smirked. “By the way, if you don’t mind me asking, why is your leg, as you put it, ‘wonky’?”

“Oh!” Ryuji said. “Well, it's a long story…”

“Is it too personal?” Akechi said.

“Well, kind of,” Ryuji said. “But then again, practically the whole school knows it, so why not? You’re familiar with Kamoshida, right?”

“Of course,” Akechi said.

“Well, he and I didn’t get along,” Ryuji said. “He wanted to ruin me. One day, he started spoutin’ shit about my personal life, and then I just cold clocked him. In ‘self defense’, he took it upon himself to practically smash my leg in.”

“Oh my! I’m sorry,” Akechi said.

“Eh, it’s alright,” Ryuji said. “Well, I mean, it sucks, but things are better now. Look, I know you have your qualms with The Phantom Thieves, but they gave Kamoshida what he deserves and then some. After all he put me through, I’m glad something happened.”

“Ren brought this up as well,” Akechi said. “She said that they punish people that the law overlooks. Although I guess since you’re friends, it’s not surprising that you share that sentiment.”

“Hm,” Ryuji smirked. “What about you?”

“Hm?” Akechi seemed confused.

“Why don’t you like tea ceremonies?” Ryuji asked. “I mean, I guess it’s not the most masculine thing, but…”

“Well, I guess in a way, you hit the nail on the head,” Akechi said.

“Hm? How so?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well…” Akechi said. “I dunno. It’s a bit personal.”

“What?!” Ryuji replied. “I told you my shit!”

“You did,” Akechi said. He sighed. “Well, you are friends with Ren, so I guess it'll be fine. The truth of the matter is that when I was younger, I was forced to partake in tea ceremonies. Ryuji was confused. “Of course, when I was younger, I was treated more like a girl.”

“Did…your parents want a daughter?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well, first off, my dad wasn’t in the picture,” Akechi said. “But secondly, my mom thought she had a daughter.” Ryuji was more confused. “You see, I’m a trans man.”

“Oh!” Ryuji said, finally putting it all together.

“Promise you won’t tell anyone,” Akechi said

“I promise,” Ryuji said. “You know, you said that you felt fine tellin’ me because I’m friends with Ren. And while I get that, don’t forget I’m also friends with Lena too. I mean, if somethin’ happened to you, she’d feel the brunt end of it. And I wouldn’t want that.”

Akechi was stunned. “My, you are just full of surprises.”

At that point, Ann, Lena, Ren, Sumire, Makoto, and Jose exited. “That was fun!” Ann said. “You did SUCH a good job, Sumire!”

“Hm hm. Thank you,” Sumire said. “But I am glad Kisa took over once again. It is a lot.”

“True,” Ren said. “But you did it so elegantly.”

Sumire nestled up to Ren. “Thanks.”

“How did you enjoy it Lena?”Akechi asked.

“It was wonderful!” Lena replied. “My first Japanese tea ceremony!”

“Oh, I see,” Akechi said. “Well, there are plenty of other places that do such things. And I bet most of them will be better than some school event.”

“I guess,” Lena said. “But I’m glad this was my first. I got to be there with my friends, so I was a little more relaxed.”

Akechi nodded. “I see.”

“But I’d like to try it out some more!” Lena said.

“Well, I know your host mom knows some good places,” Akechi said. “Perhaps she can make some recommendations.”

“Really?!” Lena said. Akechi nodded. “Wow.”

“We should do that some time,” Ann suggested. “Just us girls!”

“Yeah! Just you girls!” Ryuji said. Akechi looked at him as if to say “That might be a bit much.”

“Well, in the meantime, what should we do next?” Makoto wondered.

“Oo! I know!” Ann said. “Shiho’s homeroom is doing a karaoke stand!”

“That sounds like fun!” Jose said. “Let’s do that!”

“Lead the way,” Makoto said. Ann nodded. She led the group to Shiho’s homeroom. Everyone spent the rest of the day having fun.

The next day, practically the whole festival arrived for Akechi’s speech. Akechi looked out from the wings. “My, that’s certainly a lot of people,” he remarked.

“Are you nervous?” Makoto said.

“No,” Akechi answered. “Are you?”

“No,” Makoto said.

“Well then, let’s get this started,” Akechi said.

Makoto nodded. She walked out on stage with a microphone. “Attention everyone! Today’s presentation is about to begin! Please be seated! Now then, please give a warm welcome to the man titled ‘Japan’s Second Prince Detective’, Goro Akechi!” The crowd applauded as Akechi arrived on stage.

“Thank you,” he said.

“Now then,” Makoto said, “I know there are some things you can’t say, but what can you tell us about The Phantom Thieves?” Akechi was a little stunned. “Or in case you happen to be working on,” Makoto said.

“No, it’s quite alright,” Akehi said. “After all, it is the thing everyone’s talking about. Besides, I find it interesting as well.”

“Well, it is an unusual case,” Makoto said.

“Certainly,” Akechi said. “Not only that, but the case was recently turned on its head. Now, I know you know that The Phantom Thieves and I don’t see eye to eye, but I do believe that they aren’t as reprehensible as the SIU director.”

“On that, I think we can agree,” Makoto said.

Akechi smirked. “But I’ve been over all of this before. Perhaps it’s time to reveal some new information.”

Makoto was confused. “What do you mean?”

“Truth is, I was recently contacted by The Phantom Thieves,” Akechi said. The crowd stirred. “I had previously said that the arrest of the SIU director wasn’t the end of the road, and The Phantom Thieves agree.”

“How did they contact you?”Makoto asked.

“They seemed to have hacked my phone,” Akechi said. “Even now, they are a secretive bunch.”

“Well, I can’t imagine that that’s not warranted in some capacity,” Makoto said.

“True,” Akechi said. “Although I imagine things might be easier if they let me in a little more. Though not that I blame them. This is an uneasy alliance at best. But I am a man of my word. I just hope The Phantom Thieves return the favor.”

“Well, I think they will,” Makoto said. “After what I’ve seen and heard, I think they’ll hold up their end of the bargain.”

“How do you figure?” Akechi wondered.

“Well…” Makoto said. “Similarly, they contacted me during the Kaneshiro incident. As uneasy as I felt, I helped them, and they ended up taking down Kaneshiro. So I think their deal with you is one you can honor.”

“Well, that’s certainly interesting,” Akechi said. “The Phantom Thieves continue to become an even more fascinating mystery. I hope for the sake of everything, you’re right. Although I will say that you’ve given me even more confidence. Perhaps once everything’s said and done, The Phantom Thieves could talk with the both of us.”

“I’d like that,” Makoto replied.

“Well, I’ll be sure to tell them,” Akehi said. “If they contact me again, that is.”

“Right,” Makoto said.

“Although,” Akechi said, “I have some suspicions on who they might be.” This got the crowd even more excited.

Makoto grew panicked. She composed herself and asked “W-Well, do you think you can share your findings?”

“Sorry,” Akechi said. “All of this is speculative anyway, and if I’m wrong, I don’t want to unleash that kind of attention on people who’d rather not have it. But I will tell you that I’m not the only one looking. And for their sake, I hope they know how to avoid detection. At least, until I can catch them first.”

“Aren’t you working with them?” Makoto asked.

“Well, like I said, this was an uneasy alliance,” Akechi reminded. “Plus, regardless of if they are criminals or not, I still would like to have a face-to-face conversation with them.”

“I guess that’s fair,” Makoto said.

“And that’s all I can ask for,” Akechi said.

“Well, it looks like we've ran out of time,” Makoto said. “Thank you for coming.”

“The pleasure is all mine,” Akechi said. The crowd erupted into applause. Akechi and Makoto bowed and headed back into the wings.

Once the mic was off, Makoto said “Well, that was certainly something.”

“Indeed,” Akechi said. He took out a piece of paper.

Makoto was confused. “What is that?”

“Just a copy of my notes,” Akechi said. “I worked on it last night. I think you may want to discuss things.” He handed it to her.

“Why is that?” Makoto said.

“You’ll see,” Akechi said. “No, if you’ll excuse me, I have to catch up with Lena.” He left.

Makoto looked at the paper and turned pale. It was Akechi’s list of potential Phantom Thieves, and it read out “Ren Amamiya. Futaba Sakura - Know aliases: ‘Alibaba’. Makoto Niijima,” with a scribbled out question mark by her name, and then “- too many coincidences. Yusuke Kitagawa - Madarame’s pupil. Jose? - Yusuke’s friend at Kosei. Haru Okumura - daughter of Kunikazu Okumura. Ryuji Sakamoto - Hated Kamoshida. Was there during initial meeting about Lena’s mother. Ann Takamaki? - Close with Ren and Ryuji. Hiroki Sugimura and Kisa Hagiwara? - Makoto’s juniors on the student council. Perhaps they know something.” She took out her phone.

Makoto: I think our plan backfired.

Sumire: How so?

Makoto: Akechi gave me a list of his Phantom Thief suspects.

Makoto: And while he’s not 100% right, it is concerning.

Ryuji: What should we do?

Yusuke: What can we do?

Ren: For now, I think we stay calm.

Ren: We all heard Akechi’s speech. He’s being cooperative.

Ren: Besides, we’re still here. It’d be a little suspicious to just break off now.

Ren: Why don’t we discuss this before we head into your sister's palace.

Makoto: Good thinking. It’ll give us time to collect our thoughts.

Ren: In the meantime, let’s just enjoy the cultural festival, OK.

Ann: Sounds good!

They put their phones away, and continued to enjoy the festival.

Just as Lena put her phone away, Akechi started walking up to her. “Goro!” she said. They hugged and kissed. “You were amazing!”

“Eh heh, well, it’s not my first time talking to an audience,” Akechi replied.

“But you’re so amazing every time!” Lena counted.

“Well, if you say so,” Akechi said. So, is there anything else you’d like to do?”

“Well, there are a few food places I’d like to hit up still,” Lena said. “But after that, it could be just you and me”

“Unfortunately, I don’t have that much time,” Akechi said. “I have some work to take care of. But we can hit up those food stalls if you’d like.”

Lena pouted. “No!” she said. “This is the first time in a while that I get to spend this much time with you! We aren’t wasting it.” She gave him another kiss. “Come.” She grabbed onto his tie, and led him to a secretive place here they could make out in peace.

Once they finished, Akechi noted “Well...that was certainly something.”

“He he,” Lena laughed.

“I will say, that was better than any food stand,” Akechi said. “But sadly, I must be off.”

Lena kissed him on the cheek. “Take care.”

“You too,” Akechi replied. He left.

Once the evening hit, everything was wrapping up with the cultural festival. Yusuke and Jose had left earlier. Ren, Ann, Ryuji, Sumire, Futaba, and Morgana were about to head off. “Oh wait!” Sumire said. “I just remembered something.”

“What is it?” Ren asked.

Suddenly, the PA turned on. The student managing it said “Attention! The post-festival party is about to begin in the gymnasium! Please join us everyone!”

“I…promised I’d do something for this,” Sumire said.

“I see,” Ren said. She looked a bit bummed.

“Eh, why don’t you stay too?” Ryuji offered.

“Yeah,” Ann said. “We’ll take Futaba and Morgana home.”

“Are you sure?” Ren said.

“I’ll be fine with them,” Futaba said

“Not to mention I’ll be there as well,” Morgana said.

Ren smiled. “Thanks everyone!” She gave her bag with Morgana in it to Ann, and then left for the gym with Sumire.

“So, ready to go?” Ann asked.

“Why aren’t you staying?” Futaba asked.

“We did it last year,” Ann said. “It’s nothing special.”

“Besides, I’m a little tired as is,” Ryuji added.

“True,” Morgana said. “We did have an eventful two days regardless.”

“Anyways, let’s go home!” Ann called out. The four of them headed off.

Once in the gym, a student was on stage with a mic. “Alright then! Normally, this would be the time where I introduce our school’s special.” The people there groaned. “However, before that, we have a surprise!” The crowd perked up. “Come on out, dance team!” The school’s dance team, wearing pink shirts with a paint splatter design on it. They started dancing and the crowd cheered. A little ways in, the MC told everyone “Don’t leave the dance team hanging! Dance everyone!”

The students in the crowd began dancing. “Well, shall we?” Sumire offered. Ren smirked. The two of them started dancing among themselves. Sumire was good, but Ren decided to break out some of her fancier moves. “Ooo. Not bad.” Ren was confused. “But you haven't seen anything yet.”

“Yoshizawa,” one of the dance team said. “It’s time.”

Ren was confused. Sumire chuckled. “Sorry. This is the surprise.” The dance team organized a circle for Sumire to dance in. She readied herself. “3, 2, 1, go,” she whispered. She then got into the circle, and danced her heart out. The crowd was impressed, but Ren was especially impressed. She had seen Sumire’s routine before, but never this close up. She could feel the wind moving through Sumire as she danced.

By the end of it all, Sumire was sweating a little and breathing heavily. However, she was on cloud nine, as everyone watching her erupted into applause, and her girlfriend was blushing incredibly hard.

Once Sumire got out of the circle, not after getting thanks from the dance team and some cheers from people,  she and Ren met up away from everyone. “What’d you think?”

“That…was amazing!” Ren said.

“Thanks,” Sumire replied. She let out some air. “I think I need a drink.”

“Well then, let’s go,” Ren said. “You deserve it!” Sumire giggled, and the two headed off.

Back on stage, the MC said “That was a treat! But now, it’s time for Shujin’s favorite tradition: The Student Sharing Special!” The audience groaned. “Come on, who wants to come up?”

Haru was looking on. She had decided to stay behind because she never had the chance to before. “What’s this?”

The MC looked through the crowd and saw Haru looking up. “Ah, why don’t you come up? In the pink sweater!”

“Me?!” Haru wondered. She wasn’t sure, but she’d hate to let anyone down. She reluctantly got on stage.

“Please, introduce yourself,” the MC said.

“Well…” Haru said. “My name is Haru. Haru Okumura.”

“Okumura?” the MC said. “As in?”

“The very same,” Haru said. “Truth be told, I didn’t divulge that information before because I wasn’t proud of what my father was doing. But now I’m working hard to turn things around. Of course, it won’t be easy, but I would appreciate your confidence.”

“Well, you certainly have mine,” the MC said. “What about the rest of you?” The crowd cheered. Haru felt a little more relaxed. “Is there anything you can tell us specifically?”

“Well, no,” Haru said. “This all happened rather suddenly…”

“I see, I see,” the MC said. “Well, I’m sure you have your work cut out for you. But if you can’t tell us that, is there something else you can tell us?”

“Like what?” Haru asked.

“Are you interested in anyone, for example?”

“Oh!” Haru said. She started to blush. “Well…”

“Don’t be shy,” the MC said.

Hiroki entered the gym and saw Haru on stage. “Haru!” He started rushing towards the stage.

Once he got on, Haru was stunned. “Hiroki?”

“Haru!” he said. “Are you alright?”

“Well now, what’s all this?” the MC said.

“Shut up,” Hiroki said. “You know no one likes this.”

“That’s not true,” the MC said. “I’m having fun.”

Hiroki groaned. “Haru-”

“Wait!” Haru said. “There is something I can share!”

“Oh?” the MC said.

Haru aggressively took the mic and said “If you want to beat the Big Bang Burger challenge, don’t starve yourself beforehand! It will only shrink your stomach. You need to eat a little more if you want to try it properly. Also, chewing gum before taking the challenge does work up your jaw and chewing muscles, but make sure you don’t get lockjaw. If you do, please do not attempt the challenge at least one month from recovery. Lastly, my personal pro tip is to try and get accustomed to eating the ingredients separately. It feels weird to eat a giant burger piece by piece, but if you break it down, you’ll get over that mental block. I say this not only as the heiress of Okumura Foods, but as someone who has won the challenge three times!”

The crowd was surprised. “Well, THAT’S certainly something! Thank you, Okumura-senpai, for that wonderful knowledge!” Haru giggled.

Once she got off the stage, Haru and Hiroki met up in the back. “Sorry. I didn’t think you’d be put on the spot like that.”

“Does that happen every year?” Haru wondered.

“Yeah,” Hiroki said. “Sorry I didn’t tell you.”

Haru frowned. “It’s alright. I should be the one who’s sorry.” Hiroki was curious. “I need to be a little more honest. I knew what you were doing yesterday, and I purposely invited Yusuke to disrupt it.”

“Huh,” Hiroki said.

“It’s just,” Haru said. She sighed. “After everything that’s happened, I need some time to think. I don’t know what I want next. I mean, I know some things, but everything else is a blur. I just-”

“Hey hey,” Hiroki said. “It’s alright. I’m sorry too. I should have understood that. But I guess I thought that after so long not saying anything, and after the whole weird experience, I thought now was the time. But it’s not. And I get that.”

Haru smiled. “It’s not a ‘no’. It’s ‘not now’. But thanks for being there anyways.”

Hiroki smiled. “You're welcome.” Haru gave him a kiss on the forehead, and she left. Hiroki was stunned, but smiled and walked off.

Meanwhile, Sumire had gotten a drink out of the vending machine. She sat down next to Ren on the bench. She took a drink. “Ah!” Ren giggled. “You really put it all out there, huh.” Sumire nodded. “It was a delightful surprise though.”

“I’m glad you liked it,” Sumire said.

“What made you agree to that in the first place?” Ren wondered.

Sumire slightly frowned. “Well, this is going to sound a little insensitive…” Ren was curious. “But…Kasumi was a little adamant about not showing off just randomly. So I thought I needed to establish myself as me a little.”

Ren smiled. She pulled Sumire in. “I don’t think that’s insensitive at all.”

Sumire smiled. “I love my sister, and I miss her every day, but for a while now, I’ve been in her shadow. If I really want to break through all of this, I need to step into the sunlight. I like doing stuff like that.

I took up gymnastics because I thought it was fun, and I wanted to share it with others. I know Kasumi had a point when she didn’t want to do that outside of events, but I disagreed with her. Still, I followed her. I guess as much as I love her, it was a bit stifling at times. I wish it didn’t take an accident to help teach me all of this, but I’m glad I’m learning.”

“Sumire…”

Sumire smiled. “Besides, as much as I disagree with my sister about certain things, if she were here now, she’d tell me to have fun. And I agree. So, thank you Kasumi. And I’m sorry. But I have to let you go. Not completely, but enough to be free. I hope she understands.”

Ren turned Sumire’s head towards her. “I’m sure she'll understand.” Sumire smiled. “And if she doesn’t, I’ll take it up with her. But hopefully that won’t be for a long time.”

Sumire giggled. “I’m really glad I met you.”

“I’m glad I met you too,” Ren said. They looked into each other’s eyes and gave each other an impassioned  kiss.

Faith-Sumire Yoshizawa: Rank 9

They kept making out for a bit. Once they stopped, Sumire said “Well, it’s getting late. Shall we head home?”

“Yeah,” Ren said. They stood up, linked hands, and walked out of the school to head home for the evening, leaning on each other the entire time.

Notes:

I'm going to let you in on something. One of the reasons I like not writing ahead and posting here is because of the comments. They can make of good inspiration for things not set in stone. For example, my buddy Kovakhiin had said that the festival scene in the original game was when she started falling in love with Sumire and seeing her as Ren's canon love interest. And with that, I decided then and there that I would make that Faith 9. I had some ideas, but none of them sat with me that well, and when she said that, everything came together.

Anyways, there's going to be a few more chapters before jumping into the palace. I might write those and then take a little break from this because palaces take a while anyways, and I did just do this. But I believe you'll enjoy what happens next regardless. Enjoy.

Chapter 188: Bombshell

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As things were winding down, Makoto kept watch to make sure things went off without a hitch. Aside from the shock of Akechi figuring out most of The Phantom Thieves, this year’s Cultural Festival went well. And even that was not unmanageable. The PA system came on, and Makoto heard “Attention! The post-festival party is about to begin in the gymnasium! Please join us everyone!”

“Hm. Sounds like things are wrapping up nicely,” Makoto said to herself. “I’ll go to check on how things are going.” She headed off to the gym. When she got there, she saw that the dance club had initiated a dance with everyone. “He he. It looks like they’re having fun.”

She was about to join in the dance when she spotted Eiko. Eiko spotted her, huffed, and started walking away. “Wait!” Makoto said, as she started to chase down Eiko. Eiko managed to maneuver around, and exit out into the halls. Makoto still managed to follow her. “Eiko, wait!”

Eiko stopped, but still had her back to Makoto. “I have nothing to say to you!”

“That’s fine!” Makoto replied. “I have something I want to say to you.” She took a deep breath. “I’m sorry. I know I should have trusted you more. I know my conduct wasn’t 100% on the level. But…I didn’t want you to be in danger. And my gut was telling me that Tsukasa was dangerous. I…know I should have come to you with my concerns, but I was afraid you wouldn’t listen.”

“You think I wouldn’t understand,” Eiko said. “That I’m too stupid to get things.”

“No!” Makoto said. “Of course not. I think you’re a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for. I just thought you were too caught up in the idea of having a boyfriend that you might not listen.”

“So I’m desperate?” Eiko said.

“No! No!” Makoto replied. “It’s just…complicated…”

Eiko turned to face Makoto. “Why then?” she asked. “Why go through all of these hoops? Why not trust me to come to you if and when things got bad? Why weren’t you being honest with me? Why are you still not being honest with me?”

Makoto was stunned by this line of questioning. “Well…I mean… We only became friends recently. I didn’t want to overstep my boundaries. I didn’t want to ruin what we had. Some good that did me, I guess.”

Eiko looked at Makoto intently. “You’re right that we’ve only been friends for a little while now. But I know you well enough that I think there’s more to it than that.”

“Huh?!”

“You put in a lot of effort into this,” Eiko said. “I don’t think you do that without a good reason.”

“We’re friends,” Makoto said. “Is that not reason enough?”

Eiko was a little stunned, but pressed on. “Were you jealous?”

“What?!”

“Were you jealous that I had a boyfriend?” Eiko clarified.

“No! Of course not,” Makoto said. “You think I’d want a boyfriend like that?”

“I felt happy with him,” Eiko said. “Even though it turned out to be a lie, I still felt happy. But you were working behind the scenes to ruin my happiness. It sounds like jealousy.”

Makoto sighed. “I wasn’t jealous of you for having a boyfriend,” Makoto assured her. “If anything, I was jealous of your boyfriend for having you.” Both of them were shocked at what had just left Makoto’s mouth.

“Um, what was that?” Eiko wondered.

“Um…” Makoto said. Why did I say that? Just…don’t say anything.

“You were jealous of my boyfriend for having me?” Eiko repeated.

Makoto hesitated. “...That’s…right…” What am I doing? “Although, I guess in a certain way, I was always a little jealous of you. You’re so outgoing and carefree. You’re never afraid to speak your mind. You’re caring. Nice. Confident. Everything I strive to be.

I mean, we’ve shared a homeroom for three years, and it was only recently that I had any kind of courage to talk to you. I just think you’re amazing, and I’ve always been watching from afar to see if I can be like you. And when we got closer, I was afraid of losing you. Especially to a guy like Tsukasa, but in general I was afraid. I guess I still am. I’m afraid because…I think I like you…as more than just a friend.”

Time stood still. Eiko looked on at Makoto in shock, while Makoto was struggling to process what she had said. Did I really just say all of that? Do I really mean all of that? She looked at Eiko. I…I think I do. I just didn’t know it until now. But not like it matters much anyways. She’ll probably- Eiko rushed in, clutching Makoto’s collar, and burying her head in her chest. “E-Eiko?”

“I’m sorry!” Eiko said, tears spilling from her face. “I’m sorry…”

Makoto was shocked, but gave her a hug anyway. “It’s fine…”

“No it’s not!” Eiko said. She sniffed. She looked up at Makoto. “The truth is…I knew Tsukasa was bad from the start.”

“Wh-What?!”

“But…well…I’ve told you about my family, right?” Eiko said. “I’ve always wanted to leave, but I’ve never had the courage. So I thought someone could take me. Even if that place I went to was terrible, it beats the Hell I’m living through. I projected the idea that you wanted to keep me in that Hell, and I got upset at you. I’m sorry!”

Makoto herself was stunned. Still, she hugged Eiko even tighter. “Eiko. I never wanted you to go through Hell. I just thought Tsukasa would put you through that. So I did everything I could to prevent that.

I know you don’t like your home life, but I didn’t imagine it was so bad that you’d just want to fade away never to be seen again. But now that I do, I’ll do everything I can to help. Well, if you’ll let me… I mean, I get it if you don’t want to see me again after saying I loved you like that, but-” Eiko shut her up with a surprise kiss. Once she stopped, Makoto said "Eiko?"

“You idiot!” Eiko said. “I couldn’t hate you after that. You did all of that just for me. And truth be told, I’m kind of in the same boat. I was always a little jealous of you. You’re smart, resourceful, strong, compassionate, determined. You were this…untouchable force that seemed to be above everything. I often thought if you were a guy I’d ask you out. But when you told me you loved me, it awoke something in me. I don’t need a guy version of you. I need someone like you to love me. And you do. So I have it.”

“Eiko…” Makoto said. She grasped her face and pulled her in for another kiss. “Does this mean…?”

“Heh heh. I think so,” Eiko replied. They shared a chuckle.

They loosened up a little, but were still holding each other. “Well…it’s getting kind of late,” Makoto said. “But, um, if you don’t want to go home yet…”

Eiko smiled. “I’ll be fine.” She nestled her head into Makoto’s shoulder. “After all, I know my Princess Charming will come to rescue me.”

“Hm,” Makoto said. “Well then, let’s go.” The two girls started walking out. “Oh, um, if you don’t mind, I’d prefer ‘Queen’ over ‘Princess’.”

Eiko giggled. “I like the sound of that too.”

Notes:

Surprise! More Cultural Festival and Makoto 9.5! I have been waiting to get to this for a long time, and while it's a little more awkward than I had anticipated, I think it turned out alright. I mean, this whole situation has been a bit of a mess up to this point, so it makes sense that this would be a bit of a mess too. But we're here now, and that's what counts. I can't wait to expand this further. Enjoy!

Chapter 189: Taste of Freedom

Chapter Text

After school the next day, Ren got a message on her phone.

Haru: Pardon me, but do you think you can meet me on the roof?

Haru: I have some gardening club business to take care of, but I need to talk to someone about something.

Ren: Sure.

Ren: I’ll be up in a second.

Haru: Thank you!

Ren put her phone away.

She started making her way to the roof. Once up there, she found Haru tending to the vegetable garden. “Hey,” she said.

Haru turned around. She giggled. “Glad you could make it.” She turned back to the garden.

“So, what do you want to talk about?” Ren asked.

Haru frowned. “I’m feeling a little…listless.”

“How so?” Ren asked.

Haru hesitated. “Well…remember back in my father’s palace when we fought Hiroki?” Ren nodded. “Remember when we started hearing those voices, and we found out that Hiroki went to ask my father for my hand in marriage?”

“Yeah,” Ren answered.

“Well…” Haru said. “Up until that point, I didn’t notice anything. But thinking back on it now, I think Hiroki might have a crush on me.”

Ren nodded some more. “Hm.”

“And, well, I just don’t know what to do,” Haru finished.

“Well, the first question is do you like him like that as well?" Ren posed.

“That’s the thing,” Haru said “I don’t know."

“Oh!” Ren said.

“You see, for a while now, I’ve barely had a choice,” Haru said. “I didn’t choose what I’d wear to certain events. I didn’t choose where I’d go on certain days. I didn’t even get to choose who my husband would be.” Ren was aware of these things, but hearing them said aloud was still discomforting. “But now, I have the option to choose things. And I want to figure out what I’d choose and when.”

“That doesn’t seem unreasonable,” Ren said.

“I know,” Haru said. “But I think Hiroki wanted to tell me how he felt yesterday,” Haru said.

“Oh my. How’d that go?” Ren wondered.

“Well…I kind of put it off for a while,” Haru said. “But I basically told him I wasn’t ready.”

“Did he understand?” Ren said. Haru nodded. “Well that’s good.”

Haru nodded. “I don’t think he’d be the type to force things,” Haru said. “But I was still so nervous.”

“I guess that’s understandable,” Ren replied.

“But it’s not just that,” Haru said. “There are people at Okumura Foods who want me to relinquish control of things.”

“That…sounds serious,” Ren said.

Haru nodded. “Indeed. They say I’m not ready, but I want to help turn things around. In particular, one of the chairmen, Takakura, seems particularly insistent that he should be helping me.”

“Huh,” Ren said. “How well do you know him?”

“Well, I know him to the extent that I know a lot of people at the company,” Haru said. “But there’s always been a distance; what with me being the CEO’s daughter, and the company being what it was.”

“Hmmm.”

“Aside from that though,” Haru said. “There’s a lot of distrust for Takaura among some of the staff. They tell me that he was always hoping for my father to get his just desserts, and that they’ve overheard him saying we didn’t go far enough.”

“Yikes,” Ren said.

“But I don’t know if that’s true,” Haru said. “From what I know, Takaura always seemed like an even-keeled man. It’s still hard though. Should I trust Takakura? Or should I trust the others?”

“Well, what do you want to do?” Ren asked.

Haru thought about it. “Well…I’m not sure yet. I want Okumura Foods to turn around after all of this, but how is another question entirely.”

“Well, I mean, that’s something, right?” Ren said. “You want more time to think.”

Haru was surprised. “I guess that’s true,” she said. “I’m just not used to having that time. I guess I still don’t. I have roughly five months left of high school, so figuring out what to do by then will be something of a miracle.”

“True, but you don’t need to come up with an answer tomorrow,” Ren said. “So that’s a silver lining.”

“That’s true too,” Haru said. “I guess I’ll give it some thought and come back to you if I need anything.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Ren said.

Empress-Haru Okumura: Rank 2

“So, do you want to help me with some of these?” Haru asked.

“Sure,” Ren said. “Just tell me what I need to do.” Haru instructed Ren, and together, they finished tending the garden on the roof.

Later in the evening, Ren got another message.

Ohya: Yo! Come on over!

Ohya: It’s been a bit, and I’ve got some good news!

Ren: Alright. I’ll meet you there.

Ren: Just give me a bit.

Ohya: Don’t keep me waiting for too long.

Ren put her phone away, and headed over to Shinjuku.

Once she entered Crossroads, Ohya cheered “Hey! You made it!”

Ren smiled. She took her seat. “You sure seem to be in a good mood.”

“Well, she’s been handed everything she’s wanted on a silver platter,” Lala explained.

Ohya nodded. “My boss had a change of heart. He’s letting me investigate Kayo. Furthermore, he’s standing up to the board more and defending me until I get some answers. Talk about a 180!”

“That sounds wonderful,” Ren said.

“It really is,” Ohya said. “The reason I didn’t call you sooner was that I was doing a little digging to see if I can find anything now that I no longer had anything weighing me down.”

“Well, what’d you find?” Ren asked.

“I believe that I know where Kayo is currently,” Ohya answered. “I’m preparing to make a visit.”

“Oh my!” Ren said. “I hope it goes well.”

“I hope so too,” Ohya said. “But after all this time, I can’t help but worry.”

“How come?” Ren wondered.

“Well…” Ohya said. “I’m afraid of what happened. They branded her as a murderer, but they’re keeping her hidden. I don’t know if the Kayo I’m meeting will be the Kayo I once knew.”

Ren grew serious. “Well, you know I’ll always be there for you.”

“Right…” Ohya said. “Listen, I know you’ve been a big help, but I don't want you putting your neck out there for me.” Ren seemed confused. “I mean, you’ve given me a lot of information, but from here on, things might get scary.”

Ren paused for a moment. “I know the feeling,” she told her. “But I don’t want to just sit idly by if I can do something.”

“I agree,” Lala said. “I mean, she’s been giving you information. It’s not like she’s staring down the barrel of a gun to get it.”

“Mmm,” Ohya groaned. “Alright, fine. But if the going gets tough, I need you to back down. I don’t want you to become my second Kayo.”

“But what about you?” Ren asked. “I mean, I don’t want you to be my Kayo either.”

“She has a point,” Lala said.

“Well, I have Lala here,” Ohya assured her.

“And I have you and Lala,” Ren countered. “And a lot of other people. If things get too tough, I’ll go to you or them.”

“Hm,” Ohya smirked. “You know, that’s what I like about ya, kid! You have a lot of sense.” Ren giggled. “Order whatever you want. My treat.”

Ren nodded. “I’ll take a soda for now,” Ren said.

“Coming right up!” Lala replied.

“Hm,” Ohya chuckled. ‘Thanks for coming out tonight.”

“No problem,” Ren said. “Hope things go alright with Kayo.” “I hope so too,” Ren said. “But even if they don’t, just knowing is better than not. Besides, like you said, I have you, and I have Lala. So I know things aren’t so bad.” Ren got her drink. Ohya lifted hers. “Cheers?”

Ren lifted her glass. “Cheers.”

Devil-Ichiko Ohya: Rank 8

They drank their drinks. “By the way,” Ohya said, “It’d be easier if I had some Phantom Thief information to put out while I’m investigating.”

“Of course,” Ren said. “What do you want to know? I’ll try my best to fill you in.” They discussed things until Ren had to go home for the night.

Meanwhile, at the Niijima residence, Sae walked in. “I’m home!”

“Oh!” Makoto said. “Um, how was your day?”

“Pretty good, all things considered,” Sae said. “I feel like I’m on the cusp of something big. I’ll have those Phantom Thieves in my grasp soon enough! And then things will only get better from there.”

“I see…” Makoto said.

“Aside from that though,” Sae said, “I have another case coming up in court. There’s still some prep work that needs to be done, but it’s a slam dunk.”

“Of course,” Makoto said. “Did you eat yet?”

“Not yet,” Sae said.

“Oh,” Makoto said. It’s just, you’ve been eating with Riko a lot, so…”

“Right…” Sae said. “Well she is nice. I think you’d like her.”

“From what you’ve told me, I’d think I’d like her too.” Makoto replied. “So, should I get dinner ready?”

“You haven’t eaten either?” Sae wondered. Makoto shook her head. “Well…let’s just order in tonight. I’m in a good mood.”

“Sounds like a plan,” Makoto said. They placed their order.

“Alright, it should be here soon,” Sae said. She smiled. “You know, I know I’m not home every night, but I am going to miss this once you get into college. Even when you’re not living here, I wouldn’t mind doing stuff like this every once in a while.”

Makoto smiled. “Me too.” She paused for a moment. “Um, to change the subject a bit, you remember my friend Eiko, right?”

Sae was confused. “What about her?”

“Well…” Makoto said, “she’s not exactly a fan of her home life. So I was thinking of inviting her to come live with us. It won’t be for too long. She’s also graduating this spring. But…”

“Hmmm,” Sae pondered. “Alright.”

“Huh?” Makoto said.

“I think it’s wonderful,” Sae said. “Like I mentioned, I’m not always here, so having someone here with you would be nice. You two get along nicely as well. Plus, I think you two could look for housing together once you graduate. Besides, it sounds like she needs it.”

“Yeah…” Makoto said.

“Although I will say I’m still in control here,” Sae said. “I don’t want any wild parties or anything like that.”

“Gotcha,” Makoto said.

“And no offense to Eiko, but she seems a little boy crazy,” Sae said. “I don’t want you bringing any strange boys home.”

“I…don’t think you’ll need to worry about that,” Makoto replied.

“You can never be too careful,” Sae said.

“Right,” Makoto agreed.

Sae smirked. “Thank you for coming to me first,” she said. “I know you have good intentions, but I don’t like it when people go behind my back.”

“Right…” Makoto said, pondering her involvement in The Phantom Thieves and their latest mission. Still, she knew she had to do it.

There was a knock at the door. “Our food’s here!” Sae said. She went to pick it up, and the two sisters ate together.

 

Chapter 190: Human After All

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Jose was face to face with the door to the principal’s office at Kosei. He took a deep breath. “Here we go.” He knocked.

“Come in,” the secretary said. Jose entered. “Oh! Not who I was expecting, but welcome!”

“Is the principal busy?” Jose.

“I’m sure he can make time,” the secretary said. She hit the intercom button. “Sir, there’s a student here for you.”

“Send them in,” the principal said. The secretary instructed Jose to go in, which he did. The principal was a short and stout man, but he had good muscle definition. He had a short beard, and long hair in a man-bun, both of which were salt-and-pepper. “How may I be of assistance?”

“I wish to talk to you about Mr. Takahashi, and the situation with him and the Hirai and Inoue families.”

The principal was stunned. “Well, this is unusual. Go on.”

Jose focused. “I don’t think Mr. Takahashi needs to be punished.”

“Why do you feel that way?” the principal inquired.

“He wasn’t the one who sabotaged the families,” Jose said. “His grandfather did.”

“True,” the principal said. “But he kept that information from us for a while. Had he said something earlier, this whole fiasco wouldn’t have happened.”

“I admit that’s true,” Jose said. “But the school also just let the rivalry happen. At least Mr. Takahashi tried to end it.”

“Well, that’s both true and not,” the principal said. “We’ve tried to end things several times, but we could never come to an accord.”

“But I don’t think anyone here did anything wrong here,” Jose protested. “The only person who was truly in the wrong was Mr. Takahasi’s grandfather. And everyone else paid the price.” The principal looked at him intently. “I know things could have been handled better on all fronts, but I don’t think Mr. Takahashi was wrong. He just made a tactical error. And I know that as artists, we strive for perfection in our works, but sometimes it’s the imperfections in things that make them beautiful. And I think the same applies to people.”

The principal thought about what Jose was saying. “Young man,” he said, “as you know, I am a renowned sculptor.” Jose nodded. “A lot of people praise me for sculpting things perfectly. But only people with a true artist's soul understand that I don’t. They notice all the flaws and imperfections. And yet, it is still masterfully crafted because it captures the imperfections.

All this to say that I agree with you. I know it’s hard to see the bigger picture sometimes when you’re focused on what you are working on, but that’s why it’s nice to have someone else there to check on your progress. So thank you for being that for me.”

Jose stood up and bowed. “Thank you for listening.”

The principal smiled. “I’ll need to discuss this with everyone, but I think they’ll understand as well. Have a good day.”

“You too,” Jose said. He left the office.

On his way back to his dorm, he passed by a mysterious man. He was wearing all black, and his face was obscured by the book he was reading on butterflies. As Jose passed him, he said “So, that’s your answer?”

Jose froze. He turned to the man. “Master?” The man nodded. Jose grew determined. “Yes. I believe that is my answer.”

“Would you say your job is finished?” Jose’s master said.

“Well…” Jose replied. “I’m not sure. Even if it was, I’d still like to stay. I’ve made many wonderful friends, and I’d hate to disappear on them just like that. But I don’t think I am finished. Understanding humans is both simple and difficult. It feels like I know everything, and yet I know nothing.”

“Hm,” Jose’s master replied. “Alright then, let me ask a different question. Do you think humanity is heading in the right direction?”

Jose thought about this. “Well, I’d like to say they are,” he answered. “But even if they aren’t, I think they’ll get there eventually.”

“Hm,” Jose’s master said, impressed. “Very well. I will allow you to stay.” He started walking off.

“Um, sir?” Jose wondered. His master stopped. “Am I…still under your guidance?

“Yes and no,” his master replied. “The relationship has changed. You don’t need to observe humanity for me anymore. I may pop up again and ask, but you needn’t worry. However, I will always be there to guide all of humanity. And now that includes you. So you will always be under my guidance.”

Jose bowed. “Thank you master.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Jose’s master said. He kept walking off. Jose nodded, and headed back to his dorm. He felt happy as can be. Not only did he help save Mr Takahashi’s job, but his master considered him human, which he knew was a privilege. He chuckled, knowing he did the right thing.

Notes:

And that's Jose's 9.5, and boy is that exciting.

As you can tell, I've been on a bit of a kick lately. Honestly, it's a few things, but I don't mind so much. Besides, we're approaching the palace, so once I get these next few chapters out, I'm going to pause things.

I'm honestly reevaluating what's going to happen in the future with this. I have several ideas, but I need to take things one at a time, and we are just getting knees deep into the Sae arc. Still, things are coming together well.

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 191: Fallout

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day before classes started up, Makoto walked up to Eiko. “Hey.”

“Hey,” Eiko said back.

“So, um, I talked with my sister last night,” Makoto said. “She said that it was alright for you to stay with us until graduation.”

Eiko was stunned. “Really?”

Makoto nodded. “Yes.”

Eiko hugged Makoto “EIIIIII! Thank you!”

Makoto hugged her back. “Eh heh.” They broke off the hug. “So, um, how long do you think before you’re ready?”

“Hmmm,” Eiko pondered. “I’m not sure. Maybe a week?”

“Well, we can work on this together,” Makoto said.

Eiko nodded. “Sounds good!”

“OK,” Makoto replied. She gave her a kiss. “Let’s head to class.”

“Right,” Eiko said. The two walked together to their classroom.

After school, Ren got a text from Makoto.

Makoto: I need to talk to you about something.

Ren: OK.

Ren: Where do you want to go?

Makoto: Honestly? That ice cream place we went to to plan Kaneshiro’s calling card.

Makoto: You remember where that is, right?

Ren: Of course.

Makoto: Great!

Makoto: I’ll see you then.

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and started heading out.

A little while later, she and Makoto were sitting next to each other at the ice cream place, having just placed their orders. “So, what did you want to talk about?” Ren asked.

“Well…” Makoto said. “It’s a little complicated. But I just wanted to give you an update on how things are going.” Ren nodded. “So, I think I’ve landed on a career path. I want to be a police officer like my father was. But I want to be more than that. I was to help fix the system. The current police force has a lot of issues, and I want to work on fixing them. For example, I don't want something like what happened to you doesn’t happen again. Or at least as often as it might.

I mean, it’s not so much different than the work we do as Phantom Thieves. We investigate, make sure someone’s guilty, and bring them to justice. Of course there are staunch differences, but I enjoy doing what we do, and I wish to continue to do it. I know it won’t be easy, but nothing worth doing is.” Ren chuckled. Makoto continued. “I also had a chance to talk with Eiko.”

“How did that go?” Ren asked.

“It was a little turbulent at first,” Makoto explained, “but it ended well. Um…she and I are now…dating.”

Ren was shocked. “Shut up!” Makoto nodded. “Wow. Way to bury the lead.”

Makoto chuckled “Shut up,” she said, playfully shoving Ren.

Ren chuckled back. “So, what happened?”

“Well,” Makoto said, “she and I were talking, and she asked me if I was jealous of her. I told her I was jealous of her boyfriend for having her, and it just kind of slipped out that I liked her. I didn’t even know I liked her like that until I said it.”

“Wow!” Ren said. “So, are you gay like me?”

“Well, I wouldn’t say that,” Makoto said. “I’ve liked men before.”

“Bisexual then?”

“Hmmmm,” Makoto pondered. “Maybe? It seems a little different. Like, I don’t like Eiko because she’s a woman. I like her because she’s Eiko, and her being a woman kind of follows.”

“Sounds like Pansexual to me,” Ren remarked.

Makoto was confused. She got out her phone to look it up. Her eyes widened. “OH! Oh this makes a LOT of sense.” Ren giggled. Makoto put her phone away. “Well, as you know, this will make things even more difficult. But again, I feel like it’s worth doing. Besides, even if I stumble or fall, I’ll know that I tried as hard as I could to do it.”

“Hm hm. Well, you know I’ll be there for you,” Ren said. “Every step of the way.”

“Of course,” Makoto said. “Thanks.”

I am thou, thou art I

Thou hast turned a vow into a blood oath.

Thy bond shall become the wings of rebellion and break the yoke of thy heart.

Thou hast awakened to the ultimate secret of the Priestess, granting thee infinite power…

Priestess-Makoto Niijima: Rank 10

Inside Makoto, a powerful force was manifesting itself. Her Persona, Johanna, was changing. Evolving. An explosion rang out, and her Persona grew alongside her, becoming Anat.

This feeling…Is this me? It’s so powerful. I won’t ever let it go!

Their ice cream arrived. “Let’s eat before it melts,” Makoto said. Ren nodded, and they ate their ice cream.

Later in the evening, Ren got another message.

Hifumi: Do you mind stopping by the church this evening?

Ren: Not at all.

Ren: Do you need anything?

Hifumi: Your company will be enough.

Ren: Very well.

Ren: I’ll see you soon.

Hifumi: See you soon.

Ren put her phone away, and headed for Kanda.

Upon arrival, Ren walked up to Hifumi. “Hey,” she said.

“Hello,” Hifumi said.

Ren took a seat. “How’s it going?”

“It’s…complicated,” Hifumi said. “The Phantom Thieves changed my mother’s heart, but…” She sighed. “It turns out she was rigging my matches. She was controlling a lot more than I had anticipated.”

“Yikes,” Ren said, unsure of what else to say in the moment.

Hifumi continued. “I really should have seen this coming. I guess it makes more sense as to why everyone was looking at me with disdain.”

“So, what are you going to do?” Ren asked.

“I don’t know,” Hifumi answered.

“Well, what do you want to do?” Ren said.

“I want to continue playing shogi,” Hifumi said. “I want to continue to support my family.”

“Well, I think that’s your answer,” Ren said. Hifumi seemed confused. “That’s what you wanted to do when your mom was trying to pull you away from this. Now that the consequences of her actions are on the cusp of doing that, you still want to do that. You just have to trust your resolve.”

“Hm. You’re correct,” Hifumi said. “I’m still a little worried. A scandal like this rocking the shogi world is uncommon. But I just have to keep a cool head. What they say, what my mom said, I didn’t change what I wanted before. But now, I’m learning how to fight for it more.”

“That’s the spirit,” Ren said. “And I’ll still be in your corner.”

Hifumi nodded. “Thank you. And I know I have others as well. Your other friends. The priest. My father. And despite the situation caused by it, now that my mom had a change of heart, she’s being more reasonable than ever, and listening to me and my father once again. So I know she’s in my corner too. I guess I just have to take victories where I can.”

“You were the one who taught me to lose with dignity,” Ren said.

Hifumi giggled. “True. But I suppose we are more in the middle of everything, rather than at the end. Once the dust has settled, we will see what lies ahead.”

“That’s the spirit!” Ren cheered.

Star-Hifumi Togo: Rank 8

“So,” Ren offered,” do you wanna play some shogi? Gotta keep your mind sharp.”

“Hm hm. Always,” Hifumi said. They played shogi together before heading home for the night.

Notes:

And that is three party members at rank 10, and four rank 10s overall. I am excited, but a little sad that we're at a point where more confidants are at rank 10. But that's just the way it goes. And besides, to think that a rank 10 is the end is foolish.

As for the confidants in general, I know it's a little here and there. I could have ended more by now, but for the story I want to tell, a lot of them are dependent on other things, and I want to set all of that up before doing anything. So please be patient, and I hope you'll like the results.

Enjoy!

Chapter 192: Working Towards the Future

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Once Ren got home from school the next day, Futaba was waiting for her. “Heeeeeeeeeeeey roomie!”

Ren chuckled. “What’s up?”

“I’ve completed a new promise list!” Futaba said, holding it up proudly.

“Good job!” Ren said. “What do you want to do on it first?”

“Well…” Futaba said, “I imagine going to school would be easy. I mean, I was just there, but I was expected to be there. This would be different. But also, it’s after school. A lot of people will have left. Oh, but that includes you, huh.”

Ren chuckled. “Don’t worry, I’m fine going back and forth. It helps me get accustomed to Tokyo.”

“You’ve been here for how long aren't you accustomed?” Futaba said. “Then again, who am I to talk?”

“I’m used to it,” Ren said, “but it’s very big. Back where I’m from, you could walk from one edge of town to another in less than an hour.”

“OK, I can see how Tokyo might be daunting,” Futaba admitted. “Just as much as school is. Still, I have to steel myself. Let’s go!” Futaba and Ren headed back to the school.

Once they were at the entryway, Ren noticed that Futaba was stiff as a board. “Are you feeling OK?”

“Y-Yeah!” Futaba stuttered.

Suddenly, Makoto came walking by. “Hm? What are you two doing here?”

“I’m keeping a promise!” Futaba said. Makoto seemed confused.

“It’s a whole thing,” Ren said. “Don’t worry about it.”

“Gotcha,” Makoto said. “Well, if you want, I can show you around.”

“What do you think?” Ren said. “I’m sure it’d be easier with two people helping out.”

“I guess so…” Futaba said. “Lead the way!”

“Alright,” Makoto said. The three of them started touring the school. “Here is the cafeteria, where some students eat.”

“Hm,” Futaba pouted.”I remember one day when I was the only kid who didn’t get a pudding cup in their lunch. Oh, and this one time I accidentally ate a strawberry covered in ketchup. They were both red, so I didn’t notice. I think I went to the eye doctor afterwards? I don’t remember. But even then, I didn’t have that many friends. And some of the kids would bug me so often that I just ate on the roof after a while.”

“Come to think of it, I usually break off to have a secret lunch with Sumire,” Ren remarked. “When she’s not busy anyways.”

“Well…ummmmm…” Makoto panicked. “Let’s move on! I don’t really eat here either.” They kept moving. “Here’s the library! We have all sorts of academic books, but thanks to some rather vocal students, we also have manga and light novels.”

“I think they have a point,” Ren said. “Fiction makes reading interesting, and retaining reading comprehension and sparking imagination and questions helps people understand the world in a way that they might not have otherwise.”

Makoto nodded. “True. To be honest, I tried really hard to make Principal Kobayakawa budge, and he only did so in a limited fashion. But I could meet with Principal Arai to expand the library.” Makoto looked at Futaba. “What kind of manga would you want in the library?”

Futaba frowned. Makoto was curious. “Ah! Sorry! I…just got lost in thought again.”

“About what?” Ren asked.

Futaba frowned some more. “I like books, but…being here reminded me of the time I had memorized all the titles in the library of the elementary school. All the kids thought I was lying, but when I started reciting titles to prove them wrong, they just got scared.”

“Well…I'm impressed,” Ren said.

“Thanks, but...” Futaba pouted.

“Well then, I guess only the classrooms are left…” Makoto said. “Oh, but, um, maybe we should just leave it be for now, OK?”

“You wanna go back home?” Ren asked. Futba nodded. “Alright, let’s go home.”

“Sorry,” Makoto said.

“It’s not your fault,” Futaba said. They headed out.

On their way, Dr. Maruki rounded a corner and almost bumped into them. “Oh! Sorry!”

“It’s fine,” Ren said.

Maruki noticed Futaba. “Oh hey! You’re Wakaba Ishiki’s daughter, right?”

Futaba was a little surprised. “Uh, yeah? You’re…Dr. Maruki, right? How’d you recognize me?”

“Are you kidding?” Dr. Maruki said. “Aside from our research, all she did was talk about you!”

“Really?” Futaba said.

Maruki nodded. “She was really proud of you.”

“She was?” Futaba wondered.

“So, what brings you here today?” Maruki wondered.

“Well, uh, you see,” Futaba said, nervously, “I’m trying to break out of my shell a little, and um, when I tried doing that when I was younger, I’d make a promise list with my mom, right, and um, well, now I’m doing that, but uh, for myself, you know?”

“Ah!” Maruki said. “I see.” A smile came across his face. “It’s been a while since I’ve heard tell of the OG promise list.”

Futaba was surprised. “Mom told you about that too?”

“Eh heh,” Maruki chuckled. “Well…yeah. But it’s such a good idea. In fact, before coming here, I used to recommend that in some of my therapy sessions.”

“You’re kidding!” Futaba said.

“Nope,” Maruki said. “Dead serious. Although a self promise list might not be a bad idea either.”

“Well, it’s not going great,” Futaba lamented. Mruki was confused. “I wanted to see if I could brave coming to school, but all I’m doing is remembering the bad times.”

“Hmmm. That is a toughie,” Maruki replied.

“Well, I think the fact that you came at all is a good step forward,” Ren said.

“Huh?” Futaba said.

“I know better than most that school isn’t always a pleasant experience,” Ren said, “but the fact that you’re willing to give it a go, even after everything that happened, is something to be proud of.”

“Do you mean that?” Futaba said.

“Certainly,” Maruki jumped in. “I don’t mean to steal your thunder, but she is right. And even putting a little effort into something is better than just wasting away. ‘1% is still higher than 0%’, as your mom would say.”

“She did say that,” Futaba remembered. “I guess I’m braver than I thought.”

“I think we all are to some extent,” Makoto said. “Sometimes, it just takes some other force to show it.”

“Oh, uh, not to ruin the mood,” Maruki said. “But here. It’s my business card. If you want to talk to me about your mom, or anything really, just give me a call. Well, within reason.”

“Right,” Futaba said. She took it. “Thanks.”

“Well, I should be off now,” Maruki said. “I’ve got some notes to organize. Seeya!” Maruki walked off.

“So, how are you feeling now?” Ren asked.

“...Better,” Futaba answered.

“Do you think you’ll want to come to school again?” Makoto wondered.

“Maybe,” Futaba replied. “No. ‘Yes.’ My answer is ‘yes.’ If my mom believed in me that much, and you guys believe in me that much, then maybe it won’t be so bad.”

“Yeah,” Ren said. “We all get stuck in our own heads sometimes. But it’s nice to have others there to help.”

“And trust me,” Makoto said. “When you come back, you’ll make a lot of friends.”

“Friends…” Futaba pondered. She grew determined. “Alright! I’ll become stronger. For everyone!”

Hermit-Futaba Sakura: Rank 4

“But for right now, I just want to go home,” Futaba said.

“Alright then,” Ren said. “Let’s go. Seeya Makoto!”

“Seeya!” Makoto waved at them. They waved back. They left the school, and went home.

After Futaba went back into her room, Ren got a call. “Hello?”

“Greetings,” Lavena said. “I wish to go somewhere this evening.”

Ren nodded. “Very well. I’ll meet up with you soon.” She hung up and headed out again.

Once she got to The Velvet Room, Lavena greeted her. “Hello Trickster.”

“Hello,” Ren said. “So, where do you wish to go?”

“For this evening,” Lavenza said, “I wish to go to a place where anyone can become a Master. And the servants all wear a uniform of black and white.”

Ren was really puzzled at first, but then understood. “Do you mean like a maid cafe? Like in Akihabara?”

“That’s it!” Lavenza said.

Ren was a little concerned, but knew that if she was there she could assist her. “OK then. Let’s go!” Lavenza took Ren’s hand and they went to the maid cafe.

Once inside, Lavenza remarked “The color choice in here is overwhelming. Although I guess the same could be said for The Velvet Room.”

“I guess,” Ren said. “They both convey a specific tone though.”

“Intriguing,” Lavenza said.

Clara came up and said “Good evening!~ How may I…help…you?”

Lavenza seemed confused. “Where did your enthusiasm go?”

“Eh, heh, sorry,” Clara said. “I’m just not used to customers as young as you.”

Lavenza looked at her. “How come?” Clara was even more confused, while Ren gestured to her to just go with it.

“Um, well… nevermind!~” Clara said. “How may I be of assistance?!~”

Lavenza took a look at the menu. “I’ll take the Love Star Pancake.”

“That’s just the ‘Love Pancake’ sweetie!~” Clara said. “The star is there for decoration. But of course!~”

“I’ll take the same,” Ren said.

“Excellent choice Masters!~” Clara said. “I’ll be back with them in a jiff.~” She walked off.

“She seemed a little put off by me, don’t you think?” Lavenza wondered.

“Well, like she said, she’s not used to people like you coming here,” Ren said.

“Is there a reason for that?” Lavenza asked.

Ren was not sure how to answer that. “Um, this place usually caters to a more specific clientele.”

“I don’t see why,” Lavenza said. “Anyone can be a Master for a day, can’t they?”

“Ummmmm…” Ren replied. Ren noticed that Clara was on her way back, so she didn't have to stall.

“Here you are, Masters!~” Clara said. “Unfortunately, one of them got a little messed up. But I hope it’s still alright!~ I made both of them with my undying love!~”

“It’s alright,” Ren said. “I’ll take the messed up one.”

“Certainly!~” Clara said.

“No!” Lavenza demanded. “You will take it back and make it right!”

Ren was shocked. But not as much as Clara, who snapped and said “Alright, LISTEN HERE BRAT! I’M USED TO TAKING ORDERS FROM ADULTS, BUT YOU DON’T GET TO BOSS ME AROUND!”

“Why not?!” Lavenza defended. “I am a customer like anyone else!”

“WHY DID YOUR OLDER SISTER BRING YOU HERE?!” Clra yelled.

“I ASKED!” Lavenza replied.

“Woah, woah, hey, hey,” Airi said, coming in to calm the tension. “I’ll take things from here! Just, um, go take five, OK.”

“Hmf!” Clara said, storming off to the back.

“My apologies,” Airi said. “I’ll be taking care of you from here. Is there anything I can do for you?!~”

Before Lavenza could say anything, Ren spoke up and said “We could use some drinks.”

“Certainly Master!~” Airi said. “I’ll be back in a jiff!~” He headed off.

“Why didn’t you want your pancake fixed?” Lavenza asked.

“Eh, I just didn’t mind,” Ren said.

“Hmmm,” Lavenza wondered. “Perhaps I’m not cut out to be a Master after all.”

Ren was curious. “What makes you say that?”

“I tried to fix a mistake,” Lavenza explained, “but all it did was cause a scene.”

“Well…” Ren said. “That’s true. But it is helpful in some circumstances. I mean, making sure something is correct and getting mad about it is something leaders do. But maybe here isn’t the best venue for it.”

“I see,” Lavenza said.

“Besides, even though you were very firm, you kept calm,” Ren said. “That’s more than I can say for a lot of people.”

“Hm,” Lavenza smiled. “Do you think I’d make a good Master someday?”

“I sure do,” Ren replied.

“Thank you,” Lavenza said.

Strength-Lavenza: Rank 7

Airi arrived with their drinks. “Here you go, Masters!~”

“Thank you,” Lavenza said.

“Thanks,” Ren said. Airi curtsied and left. Ren and Lavenza finished their pancakes and drinks before heading back for the night.

Notes:

So, next chapter, we're going to slip into the palace. But before then, I'm going to take a bit of a break. Still, I am proud of what I've gotten done so far, and I'm just as excited to see what the future holds. Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 193: Sae's Palace: Act 1

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As Ren was on the train heading to school, she messaged the group.

Ren: I think we should meet to discuss Akechi’s list, and tackle Sae’s palace today.

Makoto: Good thinking.

Sumire: I’m a little concerned about everything.

Sumire: I mean, this isn’t a usual palace by any stretch of the imagination.

Yusuke: True, but we can’t afford to do nothing either.

Ryuji: I’m sure once we figure out our infiltration route we’ll figure out how to tackle things on this side.

Haru: I think we need some level of contingency.

Haru: I mean, the slightest error, and things will go to Hell in a handbasket.

Futaba: I think any outside factors might need to involve Riko.

Ren You’re right about that.

Ren: I think we should save all of this for when we meet up.

Ryuji: Right.

Ryuji: Seeya then

Ren: Seeya!

Ren put her phone away, and went to school.

After school, the Thieves were at Leblanc. Makoto took out the piece of paper Akechi gave her. “So, this is Akechi’s sus list,” She exclaimed.

Everyone looked over it. “Woah!” Futaba responded.

“I have to admit,” Morgana said, “that Akechi is no slouch.”

“But I’m not on this list anywhere,” Lena said.

“Well, yeah,” Ann said. “I don’t think he has a reason to suspect you.”

“Or maybe he’s blind because of your relationship?” Ryuji pondered.

“I don’t think Akechi would be like that though,” Ren remarked. “I mean, he still suspects me, despite how close we are.”

“Yeah,” Lena said. “I think he’d suspect anyone regardless of how close he is with them.”

“Well, it doesn’t seem like he has any hard proof,” Jose said.

“Still, we should be cautious,” Yusuke said. “One false move, and we’ll play straight into his hands.”

“How does he know my online handle?!” Futaba wondered.

“Well, we did see him in Akihabara,” Ann said.

“Yeah, he said he was searching for information on someone who could take down Medjed,” Lena added.

“Hmph,” Futaba pouted. “I  guess it’s time for a name change.”

“Hold on,” Ren said. “Maybe not yet.”

“Huh?! Why not?” Futaba wondered.

“If you change your name and contact Akechi, he’ll know you saw this,” Ren said. “If we want to maintain deniability, you have to pretend not to have seen this list.”

“I guess…” Futaba said.

“Do we need to keep in contact with Akechi?” Haru wondered.

“I think randomly severing contact with him would be suspicious as well,” Morgana said.

“Besides,” Sumire said, “we have a lot of things on our plate. As much as Akechi stands against us, we need all the help we can get.”

“I guess that’s true,” Haru said.

“Oh yeah,” Jose said, “how are things coming along looking into what Riko sent you?”

“Well…” Futaba began, “the information my mother gave me will take some time. I understand some of it, but it is a little more advanced than I anticipated.”

“Well, what do you know?” Sumire asked.

“Hmmm,” Futaba pondered. “Some of it is stuff we know. The metaverse, its relationship to the real world, stuff like that. But there’s something I don’t quite understand.”

“What is it?” Makoto wondered.

“Well…” Futaba said. “There’s something in there about influencing the metaverse.” Everyone was shocked. “I think it has something to do with that mysterious figure of the SIU director we saw. But the process seems…confusing.”

“Maybe we can help,” Ann offered.

“Yeah, some of us have been doing this for six months,” Ryuji said. “Maybe we’ll know something.”

“Well… Hmmm,” Futaba reacted. “So, from what I understand, if you’re not someone like us who can access the Metaverse, you need this specific formula, and then you need to lace the formula with your DNA somehow, and give it to someone to ingest.” Everyone who was in Futaba’s palace went pale. “But I’m not sure how they would go about doing that.”

“Um, Futaba?” Ren said. “I think we know a way.”

“Huh?” Futaba wondered.

Ren continued, “We saw something like that in your palace.”

“You did?!” Futaba shrieked.

Ren nodded. “So, what happened was, the Will Seeds we found in your palace belonged to your mom.”

“Huh?!”

“Once we had all of them, we saw an image of your mom drinking a concoction, and then dripped some of her blood into your food so you ate it.” Futaba was starting to get dizzy.

“I don’t think she was trying to hurt you,” Ann said.

“Yeah!” Ryuji jumped in. “From what I remember, she was apologizing to you for doing it. She wanted you to be her light, or something.”

“How then?” Futaba said.

“The sphinx,” Morgana said. Everyone looked at him. “The sphinx that took the image of your mom. That was what she left behind in that moment.”

“But why didn’t it make contact in the intervening two years?” Jose said.

“If I had to guess,” Yusuke said, “it probably has something to do with Futaba shutting herself out from the rest of the world.” Futaba smacked Yusuke. “Ow!” 

“I think he’s right though,” Sumire said. “Remember, it took three of us to break the shell of the palace with the ballista. I imagine Futaba needing to reach out for help was a catalyst.”

“Plus, it was flying around outside,” Ren said. “I imagine that Futaba being in the pyramid hindered that a little.”

“Hmmm,” Futaba said. “Sorry Inari.”

“It’s fine,” Yusuke said.

“Maybe you could work on some tact,” Makoto pointed out.

“Perhaps,” Yusuke said. “But maybe Futaba working on her social interactions could be helpful too.”

“HEY!” Futaba protested. “I’m TRYING!”

“My apologies.”

“Like she said,” Ryuji added. “Tact.”

“Well…” Lena said, trying to steer the conversation back on track, “maybe we should relay that to Riko. See if she knows anything.”

“Yeah,” Makoto said. “It’s one thing to do it to someone you know, but these mental shutdowns are seemingly random at best.”

“True,” Morgana said. “Plus we should check in to see how things are going with Akechi.”

“Right!” Futaba said. “But don’t we have a palace to get into first?”

“You’re right,” Makoto said. “Let’s go.”

They started to leave, when Yusuke said “Hang on.” Everyone looked at him. “Didn’t Riko also send you information on the director?”

“Oh yeah,” Futba said. “Well, to be honest, the information seems, well, rather quaint.”

“Huh,” Yusuke said.

“He seems like he’s almost average,” Futaba said.

“Almost?” Haru wondered.

“Well, he is the leader of the Special Investigations Unit,” Futaba clarified. “Calling someone like that ‘average’ is a bit of a disservice. He has all sorts of connections to all sorts of people.”

“Maybe therein lies the game,” Morgana pointed out. “Maybe in one of his relationships is a secret of his.”

“Maybe…” Ren said. “This is going to sound a little weird, but I know one of his sons was arrested for murdering their wife.”

“I read about that too,” Futaba noted. “But that seemed a little removed from his purview.”

“But…if it wasn’t?” Ren said, trying not to involve Yumeko too much.

“Hmmm. Well, if it wasn’t...” Futaba pondered, “...I’m not sure.”

“Well, what else can you tell us about his family?” Ryuji asked. “I mean, one of his kids murdered their wife. But is that a pattern, or is it just him specifically?”

“It is just him specifically,” Futaba said. “All the rest of his kids are married, and between the five of his kids, the director has 17 grandchildren.”

“What about his wife?” Yusuke wondered. “Do you know anything about her?”

“Yeah. Um, she’s dead,” Futaba said, solemnly.

“WHAT?!” everyone shrieked.

“She suddenly got sick and died,” Futaba said. “I don’t know what else to tell you.”

“How sudden was it?” Ren inquired.

“What do you mean?” Futaba said.

“Well…without giving too much away,” Ren answered, “I know the grandchild whose mother was killed, and they believe that he played a part in it.”

Everyone was stunned. Makoto spoke up. “So, what you’re saying is…?”

Ren nodded. “Maybe he killed his wife and talked his son through killing his wife too.”

“Hmmmm,” Futaba pondered. “Maybe.”

“Wouldn’t that be hard to prove though?” Jose asked.

“Probably,” Futaba said. “This is all speculation on our part.”

“But we’re not alone in looking through things,” Haru said. “Maybe Riko could figure out something we don’t know if we point her in a direction.”

“I guess that’s true,” Futaba said. “But I think we need to head into the palace first. Perhaps we’ll find something else there that’ll help us make our next move. Besides, I’ve only scratched the surface on these documents.”

“We have a little while as it is,” Makoto remarked. “I think that’s a smart idea.”

Ren nodded. “Then let’s head out.” Everyone else nodded, and they headed off to Sae’s palace.

Upon arrival, Futaba noticed the mysterious figure and analyzed it quickly. “Hmmmm. Still hasn’t gone in.”

“It’s waiting for us to make our move, right?” Morgana said.

“Yeah,” Futaba said. “But you can never be too careful.”

“Perhaps that’s something to think about,” Haru suggested. “We’re not only working to save Sae from Eris, but this guy too, right?”

“Correct,” Makoto said. “But how do we fight something like that?”

“Maybe your mom has something in her notes?” Lena offered.

“Maybe,” Futaba said. “But I’d need to dive REALLY deep into her notes.”

“I think putting off the heist until the last possible moment would be good anyway,” Ren said. “This is going to be different than anything we’ve faced before. We need to be as prepared as we can be.”

“I see,” Futaba said.

“Well, no sense in worrying right now,” Ryuji said. “Right now, we have to make our way through this place.” Everyone nodded. They made their way to the room they found themselves in last time.

They looked at the elevator. “We still need a member’s card,” Jose remarked.

“I doubt they’d just give us one,” Yusuke added.

“Well, maybe we can find one,” Ann wondered. “I’m sure there has to be a place here to get one.”

“Probably,” Futaba said. “I’d wager there’s a back room somewhere.”

“Well then, let’s get looking,” Ren instructed. As they ventured around, they found the back room behind some guards they easily took out.

Plastered all over the walls were slogans and platitudes about how women are superior to men, yet oppressed by them, and with the coming of Sae’s “New World Order” that was going to change. “OooooooooKaaaaaaay,” Ryuji said, nervously.

“So somewhere in here, we’ll be able to get a member’s card, right?” Lena wondered.

“Yeah,” Futaba said.

“I don’t think it’ll be easy to get there though,” Makoto said. “Sis is very protective of things.”

“So we just have to do what we usually do,” Ren said, stretching her arms to crack her knuckles. “Seems simple enough.” The thieves maneuvered through the back rooms of the fashion show.

After going through the deeper parts of the back rooms, Morgana’s ears twitched. “Hold on. I sense a Will Seed in the area.”

“Really?”! Haru wondered.

“Let’s see if we can’t find it,” Ann said.

They ventured on, only to see the Will Seed door behind some bars. “DAMMIT!” Ryuji called out.

“Wait!” Ann said. “Look!” She pointed out a scanner. “Maybe if we get a key card, we can get through.”

“It’d probably be helpful for the rest of the palace as well,” Jose said.

“Perhaps,” Yusuke said. “But we may need to find a plethora of these. Don’t underestimate a palace ruler’s paranoia.”

“Especially one who’s also been taken over by Eris,” Futaba added.

“Hmmmm,” Haru pondered.

“Well, it couldn’t hurt,” Lena pointed out.

“True,” Ren said. “But now we need to find it. Let’s keep moving.” They all nodded, and they kept moving.

Soon, they spotted a powerful-looking shadow. They managed to hide. “Say, do you think that they might have the keycard?” Sumire wondered. “They seem powerful.”

“Well, there's only one way to find out,” Ryuji said. “Unless you think we can get to the place behind them.”

“We could,” Ren said, “But I imagine we’ll cross paths sooner or later. Besides, we’re still relatively close to the Will Seed. Let’s not waste too much time.” Everyone nodded, and bum rushed the shadow. Despite it being a pretty tough fight, the Phantom Thieves won out.

Jose picked up a card. “Look!”

“Way to go Jose!” Sumire said.

“Well done!” Haru added.

“Alright,” Morgana said. “Now that we have that, we should be able to get that first Will Seed.” The thieves nodded, and headed back.

They presented the card, raising the barriers to the Will Seed Door. They pressed themselves further in, opening the Will Seed door and heading in. “Um, are you going to be OK Queen?” Sumire asked.

“Why do you ask?” Makoto replied.

“Well…this is your sister…” Sumire answered. “I know there’s a bit of a distance between you two, but this might get…”

Makoto sighed. “I know this probably won’t be easy, but we have to do this. Otherwise we can’t call ourselves Phantom Thieves.” Sumire needed.

“Well, let’s see what we’re getting into,” Ren said, picking up the first Will Seed.

Suddenly, the voice of a young girl crying started ringing through the room.

“What’s this?!” Yusuke wondered.

Suddenly, a gentle female voice came in. “Sae sweetie. Don’t cry.”

“Mom?!” Makoto reacted.

“But…but you’re…” a younger voice jumped in.

“And that sounds like sis when she was younger,” Makoto clarified.

“I know,” Aki said. “But I don’t want you to be sad, OK? Come here. … I love you. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t,” young Sae said. “I promise. … I’m going to miss you.”

“And I’ll miss you too. I’ll miss you, Makoto, your father…” Aki replied. “But I’ll always be by your side. … I’m going to need you to look after Makoto OK?”

“OK,” young Sae said.

“That’s my girl,” Aki said. She coughed.

“MOM!” young Sae called out.

“I’m fine,” Aki said. “I’m fine… Listen… There is good in this world. Don’t ever forget that.”

“I won’t,” young Sae replied. “I promise.”

“Thank you,” Aki said.

A door opened. “Alright,” said a man’s voice.

“Dad?!” Makoto wondered.

“I think we should let mom rest,” Nobuyuki said.

“But-” young Sae interjected.

“It’s alright sweetie,” Aki said. “It’s alright.” There was some silence, followed by a set of footsteps.

Young Sae started to cry again. “Mom! How could this happen?” She sniffled. “I’ll watch over Makoto. But that can't be everything! So for you mom, I’m going to be the best defense attorney the world has ever seen! So don’t you worry!”

“Huh?!” Ryuji wondered.

“Sis…?” a young Makoto asked. “Is everything alright?”

The sound of young Sae lifting young Makoto up filled the room, followed by young Sae saying “Everything will be fine. Because no matter what, I’ll always be there for you.”

The voices came to an end. “Huh,” Futaba reacted. “That was…something…”

“Yeah…” Lena added.

“But, um, what did she mean by becoming ‘the best defense attorney’?” Ryuji wondered.

“She’s a prosecutor, right?” Haru wondered.

“Well…” Makoto explained. “My mother was a defense attorney. And for a while, my sister wanted to be a defense attorney just like her.”

“What happened?” Jose asked.

“It's a little fuzzy, Makoto said, " but I think around the time my dad died, my sister wanted something a little more respectable and steady, since she also had to take care of me. She didn’t want anything weighing her down.”

“Well, I suspect that the existence of this palace proves that something is weighing her down,” Sumire said.

“I agree,” Makoto said. “Which is all the more reason to steal her treasure.”

There was a solemn silence before Ren instructed, “Let’s keep moving.” They all left, and kept pressing through the palace.

Soon, they came across another door that required the keycard. Once it was opened, “Ann rejoiced “Yay! It’s open!” They found themselves face to face with a vent.

Just outside the window were two tough looking guards. “Glad we don’t have to go through them,” Ryuji remarked.

“Being a thief has its advantages,” Morgana said. They all began sliding through the vent to get to the control room on the other side.

“Alright,” Futaba noted, “the terminal we need is just beyond there.”

“There seems to be someone guarding it,” Lena pointed out.

“Well, we can’t avoid every fight,” Morgana lamented. “Let’s make this quick.” The thieves ambushed the guard and took him out.

“BOOYAH!” Futaba called out. “Now it’s my time to shine!” She approached the terminal and began cracking. Once she finished, she presented two things. “First off, here’s a map of the building.”

Ren grabbed it. “Thanks.”

“But also…” Futaba hyped up. “Ta-da! A member’s card!”

“Good work, Oracle!” Yusuke congratulated.

“Thanks,” Futaba said. “I didn’t know what name to give it, so I went with Taro Tanaka.”

“Um, isn’t that a bit obvious?” Ryuji wondered.

“Well, they know we’re here,” Jose pointed out.

“True,” Futaba said. “She is practically challenging us. Then again, better to be safe than sorry. Hold on.” Futaba got to work making another card. “OK, this one belongs to a Shinji Nakanomatsu. How’s that?”

“That works,” Ryuji said.

“Um, maybe we shouldn’t make too many,” Haru said. “They might get a little suspicious.”

“Good thinking,” Futaba said. “Noir! Take the Taro Tanaka card and get rid of it.”

“Huh?!” Haru wondered. “Why me?”

“Well, this kind of stuff usually falls on the newbie of the group.”

“Hey come on,” Ren said. “We’re all equals here.”

“It’s OK, Joker,” Haru said. “I’ll take care of it.”

Ren was a little surprised, but said “Well, if you’re OK with it.”

“Great!” Futaba said, handing over the Taro Tanaka card.

“Look!” Ann said, pointing out another airvent. “We can escape through here.”

“It’d be easier than going through that whole area again,” Lena pointed out.

“Well then, let’s go!” Sumire called out. “We’ve got an elevator to catch!” They all flowed through the air vent, and with a hop, skip, and a jump, they were back to the floor with the elevator.

Once there, Ren took out the card and said “So we just present this, and…”

The elevator dinged. “Member’s Card Accepted! Floor’s Accessible: The Ground Floor (current Location), The Member’s Suit.”

“Didn’t she say she wanted to meet us in The Exclusive Member’s Suit?” Jose wondered.

“I could only do so much,” Futaba said. “You couldn’t get an Exclusive Member’s card from the back terminal.”

“Still, we can move up,” Ryuji said. “I’m sure we’ll figure something out.”

“Good point Skull!” Ann said. “We just gotta keep pushing forward!”

“Well then, let’s push,” Ren said. They got onto the elevator and headed up.

Once they got to the Member’s Suit, they walked off and saw Sae, Riko, director Ono, and Sae’s guards. “Sis?!” Makoto yelped.

“Hm hm,” Sae chuckled. “We didn’t expect you to get this far.”

Sae’s Shadow manifested itself. “But then again, you pesky thieves always seem to outmaneuver Us.”

“Oh great,” Ryuji remarked. “More of this.”

Jose stepped up. “Do you wish to fight us here and now?!” he declared.

Sae laughed. “Silly thieves. You aren’t worth Our time yet.”

“You need to PROVE yourselves!” Shadow Sae said. “Otherwise, We won’t have a show on our hands. And We wouldn’t want that.”

Sae turned to Riko. “How are renovations coming along?” “Renovations are complete on this floor,” Riko answered. “They should be complete on the other floor soon.”

“Excellent!” Sae said. She turned to Ono. “You!” She yanked on his leash. “Lick Our feet!” The director whimpered. He got on his knees and did what he was told. Sae turned back to the thieves. “Right now, you aren’t even worth THIS much.”

“WHAT?!” Ann yelped.

“However, if you manage to make it through Our gauntlets,” Shadow Sae said. “Then We’ll challenge you.”

“Hm,” Ren smirked. “You continuing to underestimate us will be your downfall.”

“Tch!” Sae sneered. “You may have gotten lucky before. But you’re on OUR turf now!”

Shadow Sae jumped in. “So think twice before making your silly declarations!”

Sae snapped, and in the blink of an eye, she and her pose were on the elevator. “We’ll see you around. If you’re strong enough!” The elevator went up.

“And she’s gone,” Yusuke said.

“She’s getting on my nerves!” Ann remarked.

“Tell me about it,” Ryuji agreed.

“Well, like it or not,” Morgana said, “and I personally vote ‘not’, she IS right. This is her palace, and by extension, her rules.”

“Well yeah,” Ryuji said, “but I don’t want to lick her feet.”

“I don’t think we’ll have to,” Sumire said. “So long as we prove ourselves.”

“But what does that mean?” Haru asked.

Jose looked over. “There’s a kiosk over there,” he noted. “Maybe they have an answer for us.”

“Well, I don’t think we have anything better to work with at the moment,” Ren said. They made their way over to the kiosk.

“Ah, greetings!” the kiosk manager said. “We’ve been expecting you!”

“You have?!” Makoto wondered.

“Indeed,” the manager said. “As appreciated guests, we will grant you 1,000 Fashion Points. You may earn more through our Fashion Gauntlets.”

“Sae did mention something about that,” Yusuke noted.

“What can we get with these Fashion Points?” Makoto wondered.

“Why many things,” the manager answered. “Our most coveted prize is an Exclusive Member’s Card for a reasonable 50,000 Fashion points.”

“FOR REAL?!” Ryuji called out.

“50,000 hardly seems ‘reasonable’,” Sumire pointed out.

“Well those are the rules,” the manager said. “Take it or leave it. We also offer a loan service where we can let you borrow points up to your total amount.”

“I don’t wanna mess with that,” Ryuji said. “It seems troublesome.”

“Only if you can’t manage to pay it back,” the manager said.

“So, what would you recommend?” Ren asked.

“Well, on this floor, we have the Accessory Room and the Attitude Room,” the manager said. “For beginners, I’d recommend the Accessory Room.”

“Thank you,” Ren said. Ren motioned her group to regroup away from the kiosk. “So, it seems like we should do the Accessory Room first.”

“Are you sure we should be following the lead of some weird, conjured kiosk guy?” Ryuji wondered.

“I don’t think brute forcing our way through this palace will get us anywhere,” Morgana noted.

“Besides, it seems like Sae wants to challenge us,” Sumire pointed out.

“So we just take the challenge?” Lena asked.

“Seems like it,” Jose said.

“Hold on,” Ren said. “While I believe that taking on these gauntlets is the easiest way to proceed, I don’t think it’ll be easy.”

“What do you mean?” Futaba asked.

“Joker’s right,” Makoto said. “My sister may have invited us to challenge her, but since this is her home turf, she has no intention of fighting fair.”

“Well lucky for us, neither do we,” Yusuke remarked.

“So…we just have to cheat our way through this place?” Jose wondered.

“It’s probably better than playing it straight,” Ryuji noted. “No offense, but I don’t know how I feel about an ‘Accessory Room’ or an ‘Attitude Room’.”

“Yeah,” Ann remarked. “I know this is a warped fashion show, but this seems like a little much.”

“Remember, it used to be a casino,” Morgana said. “Maybe it has some of its old trappings.”

“So, it’s still luck-based?” Sumire wondered.

“I guess fashion is to to some extent,” Ann said. “But I feel like there’s something else going on here.”

“Well we won’t know for sure until we keep exploring!” Futaba said. “Sometimes the only way out is through.”

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed.

“So the plan is to investigate and cheat if possible,” Ren surmised. “Alright, let’s move out!” They nodded, and moved on over to the Accessory Room.

Before entering, they stopped by the sign. Futaba took the time to read it. “‘Accessory Room Rules: Enter one of the chambers and offer a minimum of 25 Fashion Points. The judge in the room will ask if you are going minimalist or showy with your accessories. You then roll three dice. If you roll a 9 or lower, your style will be minimalist. If you roll a 10 or higher, your style will be showy. If you match your style selection with the dice roll, the judge will reward you with twice as many Fashion Points. If you don’t match your style selection with the dice roll, the judge will keep the Fashion Points you offered. A roll of three sixes will win no matter what, and also offer three times the amount of Fashion Points.’”

“That seems like a load of BS!” Ryuji called out.

“Maybe,” Ann said. “But it feels real to an extent.”

“I agree,” Makoto said. “Women, especially in high power positions, have to adhere to certain standards. If you don’t accessorize enough, people will look down on you for ‘abandoning your femininity’. But if you accessorize too much, people will say you’re ‘gaudy’ or ‘trying too hard’.”

“Woah!” Ryuji reacted. “I had no idea.”

“Of course not,” Morgana said. “Us men don’t have to worry about that.”

“But that sucks!” Ryuji said.

“I will admit, it is a little difficult at times,” Ren interjected, “but I find it fun when you find JUST the right accessories and show it off.”

“TOTALLY!” Ann agreed. “When you find make-up that REALLY compliments you. There’s nothing like it!”

“Indeed,” Yusuke agreed. “Why, not too long ago, I found some really good blush that brought out my cheekbones REALLY nicely.”

“Wait, you do this stuff too?” Ryuji said.

“Only a little,” Yusuke said. “I don’t go all out or anything, but if it looks good on me, I’m willing to try something.”

“Actually, a good number of guys at Kosei use make-up and other accessories regularly,” Jose said. “Although, some of it is for the theater department.”

“Huh,” Ryuji pondered.

“You know, you should be a little more well-versed in this area, Skull,” Futaba teased. “You know, after your little stint in Shinjuku.”

“Oh yeah!” Haru giggled. “You looked so good in those pictures.”

“Hey!” Ryuji barked. “Those guys handled my outfits and stuff, while Joker did my makeup!”

“I guess that’s true,” Futaba said.

“Buuuuuut it wouldn’t hurt to learn a little bit,” Ann said. “I mean, if you come to one of my fashion shows, knowing a little something could be beneficial.”

“Well…” Ryuji said. “Maybe… But only if I don’t have to get into it!”

“Deal!” Ann said.

“Anyways!” Makoto said. “It seems like this is probably rigged.”

“Or left up to chance at best,” Lena said.

“So we have to figure out a way to tip the scales in our favor!” Makoto continued.

“Lucky for us, that’s our specialty,” Ren said. “Let’s have a look around.” The team moved out through the area.

On one end, Haru reported “I found a door to a back area. But it is locked, and there’s no way to open it from this side.”

On the other end, Jose said “I found a vent! Perhaps we can sneak in this way.”

“Good finding, Sunshine!” Ren called out. “It seems like no one’s watching, so we can go!” One by one, they funneled through the vent, and found themselves in the back room.

“Alright!” Ryuji cheered. “Now all we gotta do is find some way to rig the game!”

Makoto nodded. “Let’s go!” They made their way through the back room of the Accessory Room.

After some trekking, they managed to make it to the room behind the chambers. “So, this is it: the belly of the beast!” Yusuke remarked.

“Hang on!” Lena observed. “Look!”

She pointed out the shadow behind the scenes. “They think they’re going to stylize just right. NOW! Take it all from them!”

“So they really are cheating,” Futaba muttered.

“Sis…” Makoto said, worried.

“Well, now that we’re here,” Ren instructed, “we can turn the tables. Right, Oracle?”

Futaba nodded. “Should be easy enough.”

“But first,” Sumire said, “we have to deal with the current cheaters!”

Ren nodded. “MOVE!” They rushed the shadow behind the cheating. With the successful ambush, they managed to take out the shadow relatively easily.

“Alright!” Ann shouted.

Ren looked at the console. “Oracle? Would you like to do the honors?”

“Heh heh heh! With pleasure!” Oracle said. She began hacking the console. Once she finished, she turned to the others and said, “OK! I thought it’d be weird to rig all of the games, so I only rigged one of them, and the rest of them have the normal odds. I went ahead and marked the room on the map for us.”

“Good thinking,” Makoto said. “If sis finds out, she’d probably send everyone to deal with us. And we couldn’t handle that.”

“Well, since we know which one will be helpful to us,” Morgana said. “Let’s play the game!” They nodded, and left.

At the end of the hallways, Haru found a locked door. “Oh! I think this is the door I noticed on the other side. And look! There’s a keycard reader!” Ren nodded, and opened the door. They were back in the Accessory Room front area.

They made their way to their own personal cheating chamber. “Alright, let’s see how this goes,” Ren said. She went up to play.

“Good evening,” the judge said. “How many Fashion Points are you putting on the line today?”

“1,000,” Ren answered.

There were audible gasps. “Heh heh,” the judge said. “Somebody’s confident. No matter, I’m always willing to serve some humble pie. Now tell me, how do you plan on stylizing today?”

“Let’s go flashy!” Ren said.

“Bold in every sense of the word, I see,” the judge said. “Let’s see if you’re bold enough.” The dice rolled. It landed on triple six. “Urgh! I don’t believe it!”

Ren chuckled. “My winnings?”

“Er, of course madame,” the judge said. Ren’s Fashion Points now accumulated to 3,000.

“Good,” Ren said. “Now again.”

“You think you’ll get lucky twice in a row?!” the judge said. “There’s bold, and then there's foolhardy!”

“Are you saying no?” Ren intimidated.

“Er, of course not!” the judge said. “Still flashy?”

“You know it,” Ren said.

“Very well,” the judge said. The dice rolled. Triple six again. Ren’s Fashion Points now were at 9,000. “I don’t believe it…”

Ren giggled. “Well, you take care now.”

“Er, yes,” the judge said. The thieves left.

“Are you sure you want to leave?” Ryuji whispered.

“I think we need to keep looking around,” Ren said. “If we wanted to just get through the palace, maybe, but our aim is a little more than that.”

“Right,” Ryuji siad. “Let’s move on to the, ummm, Attitude Room, I guess.”

“I am unsure of how this will work,” Yusuke said.

“”Yeah,” Lena said. “What do you think it means?”

“I think it’d be better if we just go,” Ann said. “It’s not worth it to just stand around speculating.” The others nodded, and they headed out.

Once they got to the door to the Attitude Room, Futaba read the sign. “‘Attitude Room Rules: Approach an Attitude Machine, insert the required Fashion Points, and pull the lever. If you get three matching moods, you win. If you don’t get three matching moods, you lose. Rewards are dependent on what mood you get.”

“The Hell?!” Ryuji said. “This is JUST a slot machine! And what do they mean about having ‘matching moods’?”

“Well,” Makoto jumped in, “women are sometimes considered moody by their male peers. If they display different moods throughout the day, it looks bad on them. I guess this is a reflection of that?”

“But if this is how women are treated,” Lena wondered, “why is Sae subjecting us to it?”

“I imagine that she’s been subject to it on too many occasions to count,” Makoto lamented.

“Oh…” Lena said.

“But also,” Futaba interrupted, “maybe this has to do with her ‘New World Order’. Maybe once she’s in charge, she’ll subject men to this kind of treatment.”

“Hmmm,” Yusuke pondered. “I think that’s a fair assessment. I mean, you’ve seen how she views the director now.”

“Right…” Makoto said.

Ryuji and Morgana jolted. “Umm, I don’t wanna do that…” Ryuji said, nervously.

“Y-Yeah!” Morgana said. “Let’s save Sae!”

“Oh brother…” Futaba whined.

Haru giggled. “Don’t worry your pretty little heads. Everything will be fine.”

“Thanks…” Ryuji said.

“Anyways, we should get going,” Ren said. They entered.

Once inside, they saw a bunch of “Attitude Machines”. “So, do we just play them?” Ann wondered.

Ren shook her head. “They’re probably rigged too. Besides, if we were guided to the Accessory Room first, there’s probably something juicier than these in here.”

“Good thinking,” Sumire said.

Ren nodded. “Let’s explore the area a little.” The thieves nodded, and went about searching the area.

At the end, they spotted a door. “Hmm,” Jose pondered. He walked up to it and tried opening it. “It’s locked.”

“Well, there’s probably another way in,” Morgana surmised.

Jose nodded. “Maybe another air vent somewhere.”

“Let’s look for one,” Ann suggested. They went back and found one on top of one of the walls. They snuck through, and found themselves in more back rooms.

“Well, here we are again,” Ryuji remarked.

“Third verse, same as the first,” Lena added.

“Well, let’s not just stand around,” Ren instructed. “Let’s move!” The thieves moved through the back rooms with ease.

As they were going through, Morgana noticed something. “Hm? I think the second Will Seed is around here somewhere.”

Ren nodded. “Let’s keep an eye out.” They searched around, and soon found it. They entered.

“I wonder what we’ll see next,” Jose pontificated.

“I don’t know,” Lena said. “But I doubt it’ll be as heavy as last time.”

“We can only hope,” Yusuke said. “But I don’t assume it’s anything good.”

“Well, we still have to face the music anyways,” Makoto said. “Right Joker?”

“Right,” Ren replied. She went up and grabbed it.

“Hello there,” the director’s voice rang out.

“The director?” Futaba said.

Sae’s voice picked up. “Who are you, and what do you want?”

“Isn’t that her boss?” Haru wondered.

“Maybe this was from before,” Yusuke rationalized.

“You must be Sae Niijima,” the director said. “My name is Hiroto Ono. I’m the director of the Special Investigations Unit at the prosecutor’s office, and a friend of your professor’s. He’s told me quite a lot about you.”

“What does it concern you?” Sae mouthed back. “I’m studying to become a defense attorney.”

“Of course, of course,” Ono said. “I’m familiar with your mother as well. Why, I’ve fought her court more times than I can count. … I’m…sorry for your loss.”

“It’s fine,” Sae said.

“But back to my original point,” Ono said. “While it is true that you are studying to become a defense attorney, it might be beneficial to work in the prosecutor’s office for a little while.”

“Why do you say that?” Sae asked.

“Come on!” Ono retorted. “I know you’re no fool. You know that prosecutors have a 99% success rate in this country.”

“Is that true?” Ryuji wondered.

Makoto nodded. “It is very stacked in the favor of the police and prosecution.”

“But that doesn’t seem fair!” Ann protested.

“It’s not,” Makoto said. “But sis has told me she wanted to remedy that.”

“Still…” Ann said.

“Your point?” Sae’s voice continued.

“Well, I’m just saying,” Ono replied, “you might not get a foothold in if the odds are stacked against you. It’d be worth it to establish yourself a bit beforehand to help show confidence. Not to mention it’s a little more secure than just starting off as a defense attorney.”

“What’s in it for you?” Sae wondered.

“Hm,” the director grinned. “I know just how talented you are. I don’t want a mind like yours to be wasted, whether it’s playing for my team, or the enemy.”

“So, you consider defense attorneys to be the enemy,” Sae sniped.

“It’s a playful rivalry,” Ono said. “Here. This is my card. I don’t need an answer right away, but I’d like to hear from you.”

“Thanks,” Sae said.

“Well, so long,” Ono said. “Oh, and good luck on your test.”

There was a long silence before Sae went “Hmmmmmmmmmm.”

The voices ended there. “Well, it wasn’t as heavy…” Yusuke said.

“But I don’t feel good after listening to that,” Lena finished.

“So, the director wanted to bring her in,” Makoto said.

“You didn’t know?” Morgana said.

“Well…” Makoto said. “I don’t know all the specifics. But I know that she and the director began talking when she was in college.”

“So, that was her in college then,” Jose said.

“I believe so,” Makoto said. “From what I know, she decided to go along with it, but assured us that it was only temporary.”

“‘Us’?” Ryuji wondered. “Has Sae’s Shadow form infected you too?”

“No!” Makoto said, angrily. “I meant…me and my dad.”

“Ah,” Ryuji said. “Yeah, that makes more sense.”

“But she’s still a prosecutor,” Sumire remarked.

“Again, that’s because of my father’s death,” Makoto said. “Like I said, keeping this job was more secure for her after his passing. Not to mention taking care of me.”

“Queen…” Haru said, mournfully.

“Well, it seems like this whole thing is taking its toll on her,” Morgana said. “So we gotta free her from her chains!”

“Hm,” Ren smirked. “Couldn’t have said it better myself. Let’s keep moving.” The thieves nodded, and moved on.

They soon found a strange terminal. “Oh hey!” Ryuji said. “Can you crack this Oracle?”

“I’ll take a look,” Futaba said. “Hmmmm.”

“What is it?” Jose asked.

“It looks like,” Futaba began, “this is part of a network. It’s not on right now, but it seems connected to a greater system. I think if I can activate it, I can make the necessary arrangements.”

“But we need to activate it first…” Ann said.

“Correct,” Futaba replied.

“Let’s keep this area in mind for now and keep going,” Ren said. The thieves moved on.

They soon found another air vent that let them out in a room with a giant “Attitude Machine.” “Woah!” Ryuji said. “THAT’S a big machine!”

Lena was surprised. “It costs 5,000 Fashion Points to just play it?!”

“Yeah, but look!” Jose assured her. “If we win the jackpot, we get 50,000 Fashion Points!”

“IF we win,” Makoto said.

“Well, let’s see if we can’t crack this,” Ren said. The thieves began their search.

They soon found a terminal on the side of the machine. “Alrighty then!” Futaba said. She began cracking. “Hmmmm. Ah! I see!”

“What is it?” Yusuke wondered.

“THIS is the main terminal,” Futaba said. “From here, I can activate the other terminals.”

“And from there, you can hack this machine?” Makoto wondered

“Precisely!” Futaba answered.

“I take it the one we found in the back room is one of them,” Sumire said.

“Correct!” Futaba said. “The other one is at the front of the Attitude Room.”

“Well then, let’s activate those terminals,” Ren instructed. They decided to head back to the front first.

On their way, they found the locked door Jose tried to open. “Huh,” Jose remarked. Ren unlocked the door. “How peculiar.”

“Well, I guess they don’t let just anyone back here,” Makoto said.

“True,” Yusuke said. “Even if it is rigged, the chance at that many Fashion Points is too much to just give away.” They kept moving.

They found the terminal at the front. “How’d we miss this?” Ryuji wondered.

“I assume it’s designed to blend in,” Makoto said. “We were so taken in with what this room is that we didn’t notice it.”

“Well now that it’s here, it’s mine!” Futaba said. She began hacking. “Alright! This terminal is under my control!”

“Now time for the other one!” Sumire cheered. They made their way back into the back rooms and found the other terminal.

“Alright!” Futaba said. She hacked away. “BOOYAH! Both terminals are now mine!”

“So, what now?” Lena asked. “Do we just spin and win?”

“Not quite…” Futaba admitted. Everyone was confused. “I could only get the giant ‘Attitude Machine’ to be 8:2 odds of paying out,” she admitted.

“So, it’s just left up to luck?” Makoto said.

“Well, the odds are in our favor,” Sumire said. “All we need now is just a little faith.”

Ren nodded. “Let’s head over to the machine now and press our luck.”

“Maybe don’t phrase it like that,” Morgana said. Regardless, the thieves moved out.

Once they got there, the thieves stood and stared at the machine. “Do we pull it?” Lena wondered.

“We have no other option,” Sumire said. “Joker?” She gave Ren a peck on the cheek. “You do the honors.”

Ren nodded. “Thanks for the luck, sweetie.” Ren inserted 5,000 of her Fashion Points and spun the machine. The first slot landed on a 7, with the word “Themselves” inside. “Huh?” Ann wondered.

“I guess the ability to ‘be themselves’ is the jackpot,” Makoto said.

“That’s…depressing…” Ryuji said.

The second 7 came up. “Could it be?” Yusuke wondered.

The third 7 arrived. “WE DID IT!” Lena cheered. The noise rang through the Attitude Room.

Ren smiled. “Well, it seems like if we stay here longer, we may get caught.”

Morgana nodded. “We have enough. Let’s move.” The thieves all left the Attitude Room, and gathered in the lobby of the Member’s Suit.

Ren approached the kiosk. “Hello there.”

“Hello,” the manager said.

“We’d like an Exclusive Member’s card,” Ren said.

“Do you have the Fashion Points?” the manager asked.

“Certainly,” Ren said, presenting her card.

The manager looked it over. “Very well then.” He got out a card. “Here you are.”

“Thank you,” Ren said, with a smile. She turned to her team. “Let’s move.” They started making their way to the elevator, only to see a powerful shadow sanding in their way.

Over the speakers, they heard Sae say “My my my. You really are a tricksy bunch.”

“But still,” Shadow Sae remarked, “you’re no match for Us!”

Ren grew determined. “Is this part of your ‘test’ too?!” she asked.

“Hm hm hm,” Sae chuckled. “You’re more clever than I first thought.”

“Heh heh heh heh,” Shadow Sae said. “Cheat as much as you want! But when faced with a real opponent, you can’t afford to back down!”

Makoto steeled herself. “Why are you doing this?!” she called out.

“Why?” Sae answered. “WHY?! Because once you VERMIN are dealt with, We can FINALLY make the changes this godforsaken country NEEDS!”

“We want that too!” Makoto pleaded. “We can help if you just listen to us!”

“THAT’S NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE!” Sae snapped.

“Yeah,” Shadow Sae agreed. “If you want to prove yourselves to Us, go ahead! But We won’t listen to you miscreants until then!”

“Sis…” Makoto saint, resigning herself. She took a deep breath. “Well, if it’s a fight you want, then it’s a fight YOU’LL GET! BRING IT ON!” The thieves challenged the shadow. Despite the shadow’s overwhelming power, the thieves managed to win the fight.

“Damn Queen,” Futaba remarked. “Are you doing OK?”

“I’m fine,” Makoto said. She sighed. “Well, as fine as I can be.”

Haru placed her hand on Makoto’s shoulder. “I know it’s difficult.”

“Noir…” Makoto said. She sighed again. “Thanks.”

“Well, now that that’s sorted,” Ren said, “let’s move on up.” The thieves nodded, and made their way to the elevator.

Ren presented the Exclusive Member’s Card. “Exclusive Member’s Card Accepted. Floors Accessible: Ground Floor. Member’s Suit (current floor). Exclusive Member’s Suit.”

“I don’t suppose that even when we get up there, we’ll just get to meet with Sae,” Yusuke remarked.

“I don’t think so either,” Makoto said.

“Well then, we just gotta work our magic again, I suppose,” Sumire said.

“But what kind of trapping will we find in the Exclusive Member’s Suit?” Lena said.

“No use in speculating,” Ren said. “Let’s just move on up.” They got in the elevator and rode up to the Exclusive Member’s Suit.

Once there, Ren and company noticed a big wall and an attendant. “Welcome to the Exclusive Member’s Suit,” the attendant said. “Do you have a reservation?”

Ren was confused. “Well then,” Makoto said. “Let’s go.” She started walking.

“Wait!” Ren called out, grabbing her arm.

Then, something very peculiar happened. Makoto turned back, but she was phasing through the attendant. “What?”

Everyone else was freaked out. “WHAT IS THAT?!” Ryuji yelped.

“Is something the matter?” Masked.

“Um, Queen?” Futaba asked. “Do you see a giant door?”

“No?” Makoto said. “Do you?” Everyone nodded. “Huh.”

“You, um, also,” Morgana said, “kind of…in…someone…”

“What?!” Makoto yelped.

Ren pulled her away. “So, we see someone guarding a giant door. But not only do you not see it, it doesn’t even seem to register for you.”

“How very odd,” Yusuke said.

“Why do you suppose that is?” Jose asked.

“Hmmm,” Morgana wondered. “I think it has something to do with Sae’s cognition.This must be a part of the real world we don’t have access to, but should.”

“And also,” Haru continued, “a part of the world where Queen DOES have access to.”

“Right…” Lena said. “But what fits the bill here?”

“Well, we know this place is a courthouse,” Ren said, thinking aloud.

“That’s it!” Makoto said. “This area must represent the courtroom itself! I’ve watched my sister work before, but I don’t think anyone else has been in the courtroom.”

“So, we just gotta watch a court case?” Ryuji said.

“I guess so,” Futaba said.

“Not only that,” Morgana pointed out. “We’ve gotta watch a trial Sae is running. SHE needs to see us there.”

“Oh yeah…” Ryuji said.

“Maybe we can ask Secretary when her next trial will be,” Sumire said. “If we’re lucky, we can catch it.”

“Hm hm. Excellent idea Violet,” Haru said.

“Plus, you can compare notes, Oracle,” Ren said.

“Right,” Futaba nodded.

“So, for now, we gotta head out,” Makoto said, “and come back in once we’ve seen a trial.”

“Sounds like a plan to me,” Lena said.

“Well then, let’s go,” Ren said. They headed back down the elevator.

On their way down, Haru wondered. “Hmmmm.”

“What’s wrong, Noir?” Lena asked.

“I’m just curious,” Haru answered. “We only saw two of the Will Seeds. I wonder what else lies in store.”

“Oh,” Lena said.

“Do you have any idea, Queen?” Morgana said.

“I imagine it has something to do with my father’s death,” Makoto said. “But I don’t think I can give specifics.”

“Sorry,” Morgana pouted.

“You’re fine,” Makoto said.

“Well, that’s just another mystery we’ll have to unravel,” Ren said. “For now, let’s rest up, and prepare for what’s to come.” With one last group nod, the thieves left the Fashion Show, and headed out into the real world.

Notes:

You'd think Makoto would have seen her sister in court, at least once. You'd also think that splitting a palace would result in a shorter chapter.

Yeah, so I decided to break Sae's Palace into two parts. The reasons being I thought I could make a shorter chapter out of it (wrong), and also I don't have much of a justification for going over it. With Madarame's palace, Kosuke already broke into the secret room, so it makes sense that those traps would be destroyed.

Anyways, I do think this chapter has the highest amount of mood whiplash in the story so far. Let me tell you, translating the casino to a fashion show isn't the easiest thing, but I think I made it work. Well, as best as I can, anyway. But man, the mood changes quickly in this palace. This is one of those moments where I can't believe I wrote it.

Also, I did some math, and I don't have the time to max out the confidants when I want to. Just the daytime ones though. That might be because I added three extra daytime confidants in Adjustment, Hope, and Charity. Some other confidants will get shifted to nighttime, since I'm actually almost maxed out on all of them, and it won't take very long to run through at least most of them. So filling out the night with traditionally daytime confidants is the way to go. Part of the reason I did this section of palace now was because I wanted to get this out and then take time to plan confidants out a little more. We are going to max out a lot this arc, which is probably the biggest contributor for this arc being the longest.

I think when we do Act 2 it will be shorter. But that might not be for a bit yet, depending. Regardless, I hope it's everything you want and more. I have some great ideas for when we get to it. But there is a bit of improv in some of the specifics. Anyways, enjoy

Chapter 194: Meticulous Planning

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

As The Phantom Thieves entered Leblanc exhausted, they slumped into their seats to discuss their excursion into Sae’s Palace. Sojiro looked at this and asked “Busy day, huh?”

“You don’t know the half of it,” Ryuji said.

“Do you want anything? Sojiro offered.

“Yes please,” Yusuke replied.

Sojiro nodded. “Alright, I’ll get right on it.” He started making dinner for the Thieves.

“Alright,” Makoto said, “let’s go over everything so we can make a plan.”

Ren nodded. “Like I said, I think we should wait until the last possible moment before making a play for Sae’s treasure. We know that the director won’t make his move until we make ours. So giving him less time to react gives us an advantage.”

“Sure,” Ann said, “but taking on that thing Futaba saw seems easier said than done. I mean, we barely know what it is.”

“I can look into things further,” Futaba said. “Plus, I can talk to Riko about what she’s found as well.”

“You probably should also contact Akechi,” Yusuke suggested. “See what he knows on his end.”

“Right,” Futaba said.

“Hold on,” Jose said. “I just had a thought.”

“What is it?” Lena asked.

“We know that the director’s figure is going to do something,” Jose explained, “but do you think the director will do something as well?”

Everyone was surprised. “I think Jose has a point,” Morgana said. “He’s not just going to wait around and hope it works. He probably has a contingency in place.”

“True,” Lena said. “He had a plan for getting caught. It makes sense that he has a plan for this as well.”

“Not only that,” Haru said, “but we need a way to get information about who really is at the top. We know it’s not him.”

“Right,” Ren said.

“I think we need a way to confront him as well,” Sumire said.

“But how?” Ryuji said. “We’ll be busy in Sae’s palace.”

“Well, most of us,” Morgana said. “Don’t forget, we have Riko on our side, and she’s not coming with us.”

“So, you’re saying we can use her to fish for information?” Makoto said.

“The last time she did that though, she was caught,” Yusuke pointed out.

“Well…” Morgana pondered.

“I think this is something we can discuss with her,” Futaba pointed out. “I have a few ideas already.”

“Excellent!” Sumire said.

“I don’t suppose you want to share those ideas?” Makoto said.

“I think it’d be better to work it out with her,” Futaba said.

“Figures,” Makoto said.

“But before we can plan for that,” Sumire said, “we need to get into a trial.”

“Right,” Ryuji said.

“Let’s just contact her right now,” Makoto said. “See if she’s able to talk.” Everyone nodded. They got out their phones.

Makoto: Riko, are you busy?

Riko: I’m wrapping up a few things, but I have time.

Riko: What’s up?

Ren: Well, we’re at a few impasses, and we need your help.

Riko: How can I help?

Ren: First and foremost, for reasons that would be complicated to explain, we need to see Sae conducting a trial.

Makoto: Do you know when sis is in court next?

Riko: Huh.

Riko: Let me check.

Sumire: Thanks!

Riko: Alright. Her next trial date is a week from now. The 6th of November.

Yusuke: Well, it looks like we have time.

Riko: Time for what?

Lena: It’s complicated.

Lena: But we’ll need your help with something.

Riko: I’m all ears.

Futaba: This might take time we don’t have now.

Futaba: Is there a good time I can contact you to explain all of this, and compare our notes so far?

Riko: I think tomorrow would be good.

Futaba: Gotcha.

Jose: One more thing.

Jose: Do you want a codename?

Riko: Huh?

Haru: Oh right.

Haru: When we’re in the Metaverse, we have codenames.

Haru: We’ve resorted to calling you “Secretary”.

Haru: But if there’s another name you want, now’s the time to tell us.

Riko: I think Secretary is just fine.

Riko: After all, I’m not there.

Makoto: True.

Jose: We just wanted to offer you the chance for input.

Riko: Thanks.

Makoto: How is my sister doing?

Riko: Well, despite everything, it seems like a mixed bag.

Riko: I’ve never seen her more confident, but at the same time, it feels weird.

Sumire: I think Eris is just propping her up.

Riko: That’s what worries me.

Riko: So, when are you going to steal her treasure?

Ren: Well, that’s another thing we need to discuss.

Ren: The arrests will start on the 20th, right?

Ren: So, I think we need to make our play on the 19th.

Riko: Why?

Ryuji: We’re worried that if we do it sooner, the director might do something.

Ren: Well, we figure he’ll do something anyway.

Ren: But this gives him less time.

Riko: I see.

Haru: Is that alright?

Riko: I think so.

Riko: We can’t afford to mess this up.

Makoto: I agree.

Riko: Thanks.

Futaba: I’ll keep working on things tonight.

Futaba: I’m looking forward to tomorrow.

Riko: Likewise.

Riko: Can’t wait.

Riko: And Phantom Thieves. Thanks for everything.

Ren: Thank you.

The thieves put their phones away, as Sojiro came around and said “Alright, dinner’s served.” The group started eating.

Meanwhile, Riko put her phone in her purse, and then looked back atSae’s office. “Hmmm.” She walked and knocked on the door.

“What is it?” Sae asked.

“Um, it’s just me,” Riko said.

“Come in,” Sae said.

Riko walked in. “I just have a question.”

“Shoot,” Sae instructed.

“Well…” Riko said, nervously. “What is the plan for if The Phantom Thieves make a move before we do?”

Sae looked up at her. “You know, I haven’t thought of that. I just assumed that The Phantom Thieves would just fall victim to my plans.”

“I’m sorry…” Riko said. “I shouldn’t have doubted you.”

“Don’t apologize,” Sae said. “You’re absolutely right. Time and time again, those Phantom Thieves have exceeded our expectations. Why should this time be any different?” Sae thought for a moment. “Tell you what, I’m getting kind of hungry. Why don’t we have this discussion over a meal?”

“Of course!” Riko said.

“I should contact Makoto and say I’ll be home late,” Sae said, gathering her things.

“I should go get my things too,” Riko said.

“Alright,” Sae said. Riko left the room. Sae got her phone out.

Back at Leblanc, Makoto noticed she got a text. “Oh…”

“What is it?” Sumire asked.

“It’s from sis,” Makoto said. “She’s going to be late again.” Makoto then got another text. “Huh?”

“What now?” Futaba wondered.

“It’s from Riko,” Makoto explained. “She says that this is for the plan.”

“Man, Riko sure is crafty,” Futaba said.

“Kind too,” Haru added.

“I agree,” Makoto said. “I’m glad she’s on our side.” They continued eating.

Meanwhile, Riko slipped her phone back into her purse. Sae left her office. “Alright, I’m ready.”

Riko smiled. “Me too. Let’s go.” They started heading out. “Are you in the mood for anything in particular?”

“Not really,” Sae said. She turned to Riko. “I know no matter where you take me, the food will always be good.” She smiled.

Riko blushed, and then turned away. “Oh…thanks.” They kept going, heading out for a night of eating and planning.

Notes:

A nice short chapter to round things off.

As for the future, I made a schedule of what comes next. Just to make sure I can get what I want when I want it, and also make sure I can do other things as well. Right now, it only goes up to the confrontation in Sae's Palace, just to keep things simple. And yeah, there's going to be a good number of things happening. It might take a bit for this arc to end, and I can't wait to show you what's in store next, but I hope you'll enjoy what's coming up in the short term as well.

Enjoy.

Chapter 195: This is Halloween

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, as Ren was heading to school, there was a message in the Phantom Thieves group chat. She checked it.

Yusuke: Pardon me. I know today is Hallowen, but does anyone have time to meet after school?

Yusuke: I have a lot on my mind, and I want to discuss it with people.

Haru: Unfortunately, I have to decline.

Haru: There’s an important meeting at Okumura Foods, and I'd like to be a part of it.

Makoto: I can’t make it either.

Makoto: I’m helping someone today.

Futaba: And in case you forgot, I’m busy looking through our notes and contacting Riko and Akechi.

Lena: Oh, be sure to contact Goro first.

Lena: He and I have a date tonight.

Ryuji: Oh, nice!

Ryuji: As it so happens, Ann and I also have a date.

Ann: Yeah, but I’m sure we can help you Yusuke.

Ann: So long as it doesn’t take too long.

Sumire: I can be there too!

Ren: Same.

Ren: And I think if we meet at Leblanc, Morgana can also make it.

Yusuke: Personally, I’d like to meet there as well.

Jose: I’d like to come too, but I promised the theater club something.

Yusuke: Will I see you at the Kosei Halloween party at least?

Jose: Yeah…

Yusuke: I guess I’ll talk to you then.

Jose: Sure.

Lena: I can make it too if we can do it before mine and Goro’s date.

Lena: In case that wasn’t clear.

Yusuke: Alright then.

Yusuke: See you after school.

Ren: See you then!

Ren put her phone away, and continued towards school.

Meanwhile, Futaba was looking through stuff, when she decided to hack back into Akechi’s phone.

???: Greeting Detective Akechi!

???: This is Phantom Thief Alibaba.

Goro: Huh.

Goro: I thought she’d have told you by now.

???: Who are you talking about?

Goro: I gave one of your associates a list of people who I suspect to be Phantom Thieves, and you for sure were on it.

???: Well, maybe you just don’t know my associates then.

???: Because I’ve never heard of this list.

Akechi was frustrated, but didn’t feel like pushing this point at the moment.

Goro: Well, in any case, how goes things on your end?

???: We ran into a few complications.

???: But we shall overcome.

Goro: Do you need my help?

???: Perhaps.

Goro: How may I be of assistance?

???: We need to ratchet up the pressure on the director.

???: He’s planning something, and we need to figure out how to undermine him.

Goro: That seems tricky.

Goro: But I may have a solution.

???: Go on.

Goro: I’ve been tracking down his associates, but none of them have been all too helpful.

Goro: So maybe we should just play into his sense of superiority. We make it look like we aren’t accomplishing anything, and then surprise him when you accomplish your next goal.

???: That…actually works with what we’ve been planning.

Goro: May I ask what that is?

???: Do you still want to arrest us after all this is said and done?

Goro: I see your point.

???: It’s not that we don’t want to work with you further…

Goro: I understand.

Goro: To be honest, I have my own goals that letting you in would complicate.

???: I can imagine.

Goro: Still, I like this balance we are striking.

Goro: Perhaps in another time, another place, we could be good friends.

???: Perhaps.

Goro: Well, good luck on your mission.

???: You too!

Futaba cut off contact with Akechi.

“Hm,” Akechi grinned. “I don’t think I was given wrong information on who ‘Alibaba’ was. Still, I can’t let them know that entirely. I do hope that the director can remain more composed than to let it slip when his back is suddenly against the wall. It’s a bit of a risk, but it’s the easiest way to keep The Phantom Thieves off his trail. Sorry Phantom Thieves, but he’s mine!” Akechi got another message, this time from Lena.

Lena: Hey Goro!

Lena: I’m helping a friend after school, but don’t worry.

Lena: I should be back around 5:30-ish, and I have our costumes ready, so you can just come over.

Goro: Can’t wait! See you then!

Akechi put his phone away and continued onward.

Meanwhile, Futaba sighed, relieved. “I can’t believe he bought that.” She then went back to looking through the various notes Riko had given her.

Afterschool, Yusuke, Ren, Morgana, Sumire, Ann, Ryuji, and Lena met up at Leblanc. “Soooo, what’s this about?” Ryuji asked.

Yusuke hesitated. “...I…know it was the right thing to leave Madarame…but ever since then, I’ve felt torn. When I was living with Madarame, I could think of art purely. But now, I’m being confronted with the reality that if I were to survive in the art world, no, in the world in general, I need to think about other things than art. I have to use my art to survive. In that way, I don’t think I can purely see art ever again. It’s all just a means to an end.”

He looked over at the Sayuri hanging up. “The reason I wanted to come here was to take another look. I have often felt inspired by Sayuri. And knowing its true nature, it’s only more beautiful.” He sighed. “But alas, my mind is so cluttered with the poisonous trappings of everyday life that I don’t think I can create something even half as good.” He looked back at everyone. “So, what do I do?”

Everyone looked at Yusuke. “Um, no offense,” Ryuji said, “but can’t you focus on both?” Yusuke seemed intrigued. “I mean, I started running because I liked it. And I thought if I could be successful enough in track, I could help my mom. So I just kept doing what I loved.”

“Yeah,” Ann said. “Doing what you love is wonderful! I admit that we don’t live in an ideal world, and we do need to focus on how to survive, but if you can do it by doing something you love, then there’s no worry, right?”

“I’m not sure that’s entirely helpful,” Morgana said, “but I get the sentiment. It’s like ‘you’re already doing it, might as well go all in.’ And if a Phantom Thief can’t go all in, well…”

“Huh,” Yusuke said. “I understand.”

“I get that it’s not easy,” Sumire said. “And believe me, even with all the help in the world, there will still be road bumps. But if you are determined to strive forward with your dream, then instead of thinking of the road bumps in a completely negative light, think of how you can use them to your advantage.”

“Yeah,” Lena added. “I mean, I left my home to pursue my dreams. It hasn’t been easy, but I’m still trying. And I’m glad you asked us. Being able to reach out is hard, but I know it’s worth it in the end.”

“Everyone…” Yusuke said.

Ren smirked. “Remember: Kosuke told you to be the best damn artist you could be, right? I bet you’d hate to disappoint him. Or us, for that matter.”

Yusuke started to remember Kosuke’s words after they defeated him. He smirked as well. “Yes. And he told me something else. He said I ‘always had eyes on the bigger picture.’ I guess I just lost sight of it once everything changed. I thought I had to change with it, I suppose I still do, but I think I need to change in a way that suits me, you know?”

“Yeah!” Ryuji said. “Being yourself is what a Phantom Thief is all about!”

“I agree!” Morgana said.

“Hey!” Ann said. “Look at you two getting along!”

“Huh?!” Ryuji and Morgana gasped.

“I mean…We just agree here,” Ryuji said.

“Yeah,” Morgana protested. “It’s not like we’re close or anything.”

“Oh, I doubt that,” Sumire said. “After everything we’ve been through, there’s nothing that can tear us apart. And that includes you two.”

“Well…” Ryuji tried to follow up.

“Hm hm,” Lena giggled. “Even if you butt heads from time to time, you’re still good friends in the end, right?”

“Mreeeee…” Morgana groaned, not wanting to admit it, but being unable to lie.

Yusuke chuckled. He took out a sketchbook and started sketching. He soon presented it to everyone. “Behold!” It was a sketch of Ryuji and Morgana being angry with each other, but in the background was them admiring each other. “I call it ‘Tempest Friendship’.”

“What?!” Morgana shrieked.

“You’re…not going to make that into a full painting, are you?” Ryuji asked.

“I might,” Yusuke said. “But I have a lot of other paintings in mind. But this one is nice.”

“I like it,” Ren said. “It’s a commemoration of you getting out of your slump.”

“Yes,” Yusuke said. “But I still need something more. This is nice, but I want my first full piece to be GLORIOUS!”

“I understand the feeling,” Sumire said. “Once you overcome an obstacle, you want to show the world just what you’re capable of.”

“Yeah!” Lena added. “I know you can do it. You can set the art world on FIRE!”

Yusuke chuckled. “Thank you, everyone. I don’t know where I would be without you.”

“The feeling is mutual,” Ren said.

Emperor-Yusuke Kitagawa: Rank 8

Lena stood up. “Well, I should get going. I need to meet up with Goro to go on our date.” She opened the door. “Bye!”

“We should get going too,” Ann said. “We gotta make sure your costume fits!”

“Co-Costume?” Ryuji said. “I thought we were just hanging out.”

“On Halloween?!” Ann said. “No way! We’re here to have FUN!” She grabbed Ryuji’s arm. “Let’s go!”

“Ah!” Ryuji said, jolting up. “Alright then. Let’s see what you got!” The two of them left.

“I should get going too,” Yusuke said. “I missed last year’s Kosei Halloween Party due to Madarame. I don’t want to miss any more.”

“Take care!” Ren said. She and Yusuke waved at each other as he left. Once he was gone, Ren looked at Sumire. “I’m sorry I didn’t plan anything.”

“Huh?!” Sumire said. “Oh, uh, no, it’s quite alright. Well, I mean…” She sighed. “This is my first Halloween without Kasumi. We always used to do adorable twin costumes. I really liked doing that. I guess I’m not ready to do something big yet…”

Ren grabbed Sumire’s hand. “It’s OK. Just go at your own pace.”

Sumire smiled. “I guess doing a little something with you would be nice.”

Ren chuckled. “I think I know just the thing.” Ren glanced at Morgana. “Are you OK on your own?”

“Please,” Morgana said. “A black cat on Halloween? I couldn’t be more at home. I bet I can find something JUICY!”

Ren nodded. “Just be safe OK? And get back home at a reasonable time.”

“Right!” Morgana said. With that, the three of them left. Morgana headed off in his own direction, while Ren was leading Sumire somewhere.

Meanwhile, Makoto and Eiko arrived at Eiko’s house. “I’m home!” Eiko called out. No response.

“Is no one home?” Makoto wondered.

“No, my mom and brother are home,” Eiko said, pointing at the shoes.

“Oh. Right,” Makoto said. “Sorry…”

“It’s OK,” Eiko said. “You’re the one rescuing me from this after all.”

Makoto smiled. “Right.” They took off their shoes and headed in.

Sure enough, Eiko’s mom and brother were there. Her brother was watching TV, while her mom was baking. “Hi,” Eiko said.

“Oh, Eiko honey,” Eiko’s mom said. “I didn’t hear you come in.”

Eiko glared at her, but kept her composure. “Um, this is my…friend Makoto,” she said, remaining civil. “The girl I told you about.”

“Hm?” Eiko’s mom said, looking over. “Oh that’s right. You said you were moving in with her.”

“That’s right,” Eiko said.

“Um, hello,” Makoto said, unsure of what to expect.

“Hm,” Eiko’s mom said. “Well thank you.” Makoto was surprised. “I’m glad Eiko found a friend like you.”

“Um…thanks…?” Makoto replied.

“I know she can be a handful,” Eiko’s mom said, “but I’m sure you’ll manage. From what I’ve heard, you’re quite capable.”

“Oh, she’s really no trouble at all,” Makoto protested.

“I know you’re trying to be polite,” Eiko’s mom responded, “but we both know that Eiko is…how you say, rambunctious. I mean, look at Asahi over there. He gets good grades. He’s popular at school. He’s the leader of the soccer team. You can tell he’s meant for great things. But Eiko? She bends and breaks so easily. She’s a follower by nature. She barely gets by, and is only friends with miscreants. Er, present company excluded, of course.”

“Of course,” Makoto repeated bitterly.

“But hey, maybe with you, she’ll turn her life around,” Eiko’s mom said.

“Well,” Makoto said firmly, “I think that’s the first thing you’ve said that I agree with.” Eiko’s mom looked at her intently. “But you’re completely wrong about Eiko. She’s smarter than you give her credit for. A lot braver and a lot kinder too. But I think she’s being stifled by your expectations. So that’s why she’ll be in my care from here on.” Eiko was stunned by Makoto’s fiery rebuttal.

Eiko’s mom glared at her. “It’s going to be like that, is it?”

“I’m afraid so,” Makoto replied.

Eiko’s mom went back to baking. “Well, whatever. It’s not like she’s going to be my problem for much longer.”

“The fact that you think of her as a ‘problem’ is very much the reason she’ll be gone soon,” Makoto said. “Though I doubt you ever really thought of her as ‘yours’.”

Eiko’s mom grew more bitter. “Did you just come here to argue with me?”

“As a matter of fact, I didn’t,” Makoto said. “This was just a fun bonus.” Eiko laughed, while Eiko’s mom groaned. “I came over to help Eiko pack a little, and then we’re going to catch a movie.”

“Hm,” Eiko’s mom said. “Well, if you leave before you can taste my Halloween cookies, there won’t be any when you get back.”

“We’ll probably grab dinner afterwards anyway,” Makoto said,

“Suit yourself,” Eiko’s mom said. “Like I care at this point.”

“It seems the feeling is mutual,” Makoto said. “Eiko?” Eiko nodded, and they headed over to her room.

On their way, Eiko whispered “Don’t worry. Mom’s cookies suck anyways.”

“And she calls you imperfect,” Makoto whispered back. They shared a giggle before entering Eiko’s room to pack up a little.

Meanwhile, Haru arrived at the boardroom. The members there were shocked, and one of them asked “Erm, Miss Okumura, um, what are you doing here?”

Haru answered with “I know I’m still a student, and I’ve not attended many of these, but now that everything has changed, I wish to take a bigger role in the company. I will start by attending these meetings whenever I can. Of course, I can’t make any policy decisions, but I wish to at least have a voice.”

“But Mis Okumura-”

“Let her stay,” an older gentleman said.

“Takakura!”

“What she said isn’t wrong,” Takakura continued. “Although I wish you didn’t have to worry too much about the company at this stage.”

“I don’t mind,” Haru said. “But as I’ve said before, I’ll inform you of my decision once I come to it. In the meantime, I wish to do whatever I can to help.”

“Very well,” Takakura said. There were some whispers around the table about Takakura’s disposition towards Haru, as well as her father. “Anwyas!” Takakura commanded. Everyone went silent. “If we’re all here, let’s begin.” Everyone nodded. “As you may know, things haven’t been going well since Mr. Okumura’s heart was stolen. But he is no longer a part of this company. We are the future of Okumura Foods, and we have to make sure we salvage this sinking ship. We’re doing all we can to make up for Mr. Okumura’s past transgressions, including that new order that came in just a few days ago, but-”

“Um,” Haru interjected. “What new order?”

Takakura looked at her. “We’ve been ordered to recall and shut down Starfall Coffee.”

“How come?” Haru asked.

“We’re not sure,” another executive said. “All we know is that we’ve been told that there’s a major issue with it.”

“By whom?” Haru wondered.

“The Special Investigations Unit,” another executive answered. “It was found as part of the investigation into your father.”

“Huh,” Haru said. I should tell the others that.

“Anyways!” Takaura said, steering the conversation back on task. “While everything we’re doing to correct the mistakes of the past, it’s imperative that we start thinking about the future of Okumura Foods.”

The future of Okumura Foods, huh… Haru pondered. What do I see for the future?

A little later, Akechi was checking his phone. He saw the news of the Starfall Coffee recall. “Hm. I suppose that was inevitable at this rate. I’m sure he’s already figured something else out by now.”

He arrived at Lena’s house. He knocked on the door. Lena answered. “Goro!” she cheered, leaping into his arms.

“Heh heh,” Goro chuckled. Lena looked up and the two shared a kiss. “I can’t wait to see what you’ve whipped up.”

“Oh right!” Lena said, letting go. “Follow me!” She led him inside. They went up to her room. Lena had two mannequins setup with homemade costumes.

Akechi looked at the masculine mannequin. He saw a formal outfit with a really hairy wig and tail coming off of it. “So, I’m a formal werewolf?”

Lena giggled. “No silly! It’s a couple’s costume. We’re going as Beauty and The Beast.” Lena presented her costume on the feminine mannequin, which was an adaptation of her persona.

“I see,” Akechi replied.

“It’s perfect!” Lena said. “I’ve always loved the story! BUT it works for you as well?”

“Does it?” Akechi wondered.

Lena nodded. “Now we can go out and about in public and nobody will know it’s you because you’re covered in hair.”

“I see,” Akechi said.

“ALSO!” Lena said. “I gave the chestpiece a little bit of padding so you don’t need to wear a binder. I know you shouldn’t wear that all the time.”

“Hm hm. You know, that was quite thoughtful of you,” Akechi said.

“Hm hm. Thanks,” Lena replied.

Akechi smiled. “Well, shall we get changed?”

“Oh!” Lena said, stunned. “Yes! Um, do you need help?”

“I think I can manage,” Akechi said.

“Great!” Lena said.

A few minutes later, both of them were changed and ready to head out. “You know, this costume fits me like a glove,” Akechi noted.

Lena giggled. “Well, you did tell me your measurements.”

“Right,” Akechi said. He offered his hand. “Well then, shall we?”

Lena curtsied. “Let’s. She took Akechi’s hand, and the two of them went off to celebrate.

As they left, Tamako looked on, smiled, sighed, and remarked “Tail as old as time.”

Meanwhile, at Ann’s house. Ryuji was in one of the restrooms. “Does it fit?” Ann called out from outside.

“I think so,” Ryuji said. “It’s a little lose, but I imagine that’s part of it.”

“Yeah,” Ann remarked. “Well come on, let me see!”

Ryuji walked out. He was wearing a slightly ill-fitting green tuxedo jacket and pants, with a maroon shirt underneath, a white bowtie with red polka dots, and a large green hat with a tag sticking out of it reading “In This Style 10/6”. “Hah, this was a GREAT idea!” Ryuji exclaimed. “And this costume is AMAZING!”

Ann giggled. “Thanks.” Ryuji looked at his girlfriend to see her wearing a blue dress with a white apron, black and white stripped stockings, and a black hairband over her head, which was all the way down, since she removed the pigtails. “What do you think of my costume?”

Ryuji smiled. “You look adorable.”

Ann giggled again. “Thanks. So, are you ready to paint the town red?”

“Absolutely!” Ryuji answered. “And I believe that we should party even harder than usual. Not only is it Halloween, but I believe it’s both of our unbirthdays.”

“You’re right,” Ann said. They took each other’s hands and went off to celebrate.

Morgana was walking around town. He saw people celebrating by dressing up and being a little more raucous than usual. Still, he didn’t mind. He loved it when people were having fun. Besides, he was on the prowl for information, and tonight seemed like a night where people were a little more loose-lipped .

Morgana was trekking around when he passed by a police station. He noticed they were throwing out their coffee maker. “Why are we doing this again?” one of the officer’s asked.

“Because,” another officer answered, “the SIU told us to.”

“‘SIU’?” Morgana wondered. “I should get closer.” He stealthed his way to the officers talking.

“I know,” the first officer said. “But it tastes so good!”

“I know Okumura’s Starfall Coffee is good,” the second officer said. “But it’s dangerous.”

“How come?”

The second officer looked around. “Don’t mention this to anyone, but I’ve heard that it’s one of the causes of those mental shutdowns we’ve been looking into.”

“WHAT?!” Morgana shrieked. He slipped from his perch and landed in front of the two officers. He was a little nervous.

The second officer sighed. “It’s just a cat.”

“Yeah,” the first officer said. “Imagine if that was a person. But still, that gives me chills. To think a cup of coffee could make someone go insane. Usually if I don’t get a cup of joe, I go insane.”

“Trust me, you’re plenty insane with or without coffee,” the second officer said.

“HEY!” the first officer shouted. They both went inside.

Morgana sighed, relieved. “I guess…this body has its uses.” He stood up and shook himself off. “I should go home and tell Futaba.” Morgana started heading back.

At Kosei, Yusuke emerged from his dorm room wearing his regular clothes, as well as a set of fake cat ears and cat tail. He moved out to where the party was being held.

Upon arrival, he got a few looks. “Hey, Kitagawa!” said one of the other students, who was wearing a succubus costume. “That’s…an interesting costume.”

“Forgive me,” Yusuke said. “I didn’t have enough money for a full costume.”

“No no, it’s great!” the other student said. “It’s so…you!”

“Why thank you,” Yusuke replied.

“Well, uh, help yourself to some punch,” the other student said. “Oh, and take some sweets too.”

“Hm. Don’t mind if I do,” Yusuke said. As he was getting his food and drink, he turned and asked “Oh, has Jose arrived yet?”

“Um, I don’t think so,” the other student said.

“He told me he was doing something with the theater department,” Yusuke clarified.

“Oh!’ the other student said. “Well, you’ll see him soon then.”

“Huh?” Yusuke wondered.

Suddenly, the front of the room lit up. “It’s starting!” the other student said.

“The Kosei Theater Club proudly presents: The Dance to Summon The Pumpkin Prince!” Yusuke’s attention was focused on the makeshift stage. In the middle of it was a big leaf. The various theater kids, dressed as all sorts of Halloween classics, began dancing around the leaf, attempting to summon The Pumpkin Prince.

Soon, two sides formed, and they began giving each other cues to act and react. Slowly but surely, the leaf started to blossom. Once it fully bloomed, there was a pumpkin in the middle of it. The pumpkin slowly got up, turned around, and revealed himself to be Jose in a pumpkin costume. “THE PUMPKIN PRINCE!” the other performers exclaimed. Jose smiled. There was a round of applause.

Later, Yusuke met up with Jose. “I must say, you did an excellent job.”

“Oh, you saw that, did you?” Jose said, embarrassed.

“Indeed,” Yusuke siad. “I feel inspired.”

“Eh heh,” Jose laughed. “Well, I didn’t do a whole lot. They just needed someone short, and I fit the bill.”

“Nonsense,” Yusuke said. “You were the star of the show.”

“Well…” Jose said.

“Don’t be so modest,” Hifumi said. Yusuke and Jose turned to look at her. She was wearing ancient Japanese regal attire. “You did wonderfully.”

“Thanks,” Jose said.

“Pardon me,” Yusuke said. “Are you supposed to be Queen Himiko?”

Hifumi giggled. “You’re the first person to guess correctly.”

“But it’s so obvious,” Yusuke said.

“Well, you look pretty either way,” Jose remarked.

Hifumi chuckled. “Thanks. You know, you look adorable yourself.”

“Eh heh,” Jose chuckled, blushing. “Oh right.” He looked up to Yusuke. “Do you still need help?”

“You need help?” Hifumi wondered.

“Well, I suppose I could tell you,” Yusuke said. “I’ve sorted things out, but more voices wouldn’t hurt.” He explained his earlier meeting to Jose and Hifumi.

“I see,” Jose said. “Well, to be honest, I think I’d mirror what they said. But I would add that doing something like this is a seeminglessly endless task, but doing so is its own reward.”

“If I may,” Hifumi added, “I think the issue you may be having is that, pardon my bluntness, you don’t really have any immediate family members. I know I’m doing shogi for my father, but…”

Yusuke grinned. “I see. While it is true that I don’t have any relatives, I do have friends, and they’re like a family to me. If I can do it for them, then there’s nothing I can’t do.”

“That’s the spirit!” Jose said.

Hifumi giggled. “I could really use courage like yours.”

“Oh right,” Yusuke said. “Do you-?”

“I’ll figure that out later,” Hifumi said. “Tonight, I just want to have fun. Shall we get more punch?”

“Of course,” Yusuke said. The three of them went off to enjoy the party.

Later, Makoto and Eiko arrived at the movie theater. Makoto sighed. “Sorry. I didn’t realize how bad it was at your place.”

Eiko chuckled. “It’s alright. Besides, I loved seeing you put my mom in her place.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to move tonight?” Makoto said. “Because we can skip the movie, and-”

Eiko shook her head. “It’s alright. I can wait until then.”

Makoto nodded. “Well, if you say so. So, what movie do you want to watch?” “Well, it’s Halloween, right?” Eiko said. “So something scary!”

“GAH!” Makoto shrieked. Eiko was confused. “Sorry. It’s just…I don’t take to horror too well.”

“Oh!’ Eiko said.

“But if you really want to-”

“Shhhhhhh,” Eiko said, calming her girlfriend down. “It’s OK. I can watch it on my own time. Tonight is about us!” Makoto nodded. “So, what do you want to watch? Maybe a Buchimaru-kun movie.”

“Well, one isn’t playing until December,” Makoto said. “And that’s a special event showing off the classic Christmas with Buchimaru-kun.”

“Woah,” Eiko siad. “I was joking.”

“Oh, uh…” Makoto said, embarrassed.

Eiko chuckled. “It’s fine. I think it’s really cute that you’re into it. Most people would feel like they’re too cool for it. But I still like it as well. Granted, it has been a bit…”

Makoto smiled. “Thanks.”

Eiko smiled back. “But, is it anything like that, or Buchimaru-kun specifically?”

“Well, I like similar shows,” Makoto said. “But Buchimaru-kun just resonates with me. Always has.”

“How come?” Eiko asked.

“I’m not entirely sure,” Makoto said. She noticed one of the posters. “Oh look! Like a Dragon is playing! Are you up for some hard-boiled action?!” Eiko was stunned. “Oh. I guess not.”

“No no no no,” Eiko replied. “I, um, I really like that kind of stuff. But I’ve never told anyone because it doesn’t seem ‘girly’ enough, you know?”

“Hm,” Makoto said. “Well, women can appreciate all sorts of things, right?”

Eiko smiled and blushed. “Yeah.”

They went up to the ticket booth. “Two for Like a Dragon,” Makoto said. They got their tickets, and headed in.

Meanwhile, Ren took Sumire up to Shinjuku. Sumire was a little nervous. “Are you sure about this? Shinjuku isn’t known for its restraint.”

“Trust me,” Ren said. “We’re going straight there, spend a little time, and then we’ll be out. Besides, one of my friends runs it.”

“Well, if it’s one of your friends, I trust you,” Sumire said. They held hands as Ren led the way.

They soon arrived at Chihaya’s fortune telling booth. “Ah, hello,” Chihaya said.

“Hi,” Ren said. “This is… There’s no point in me hiding it, is there?”

Chihaya giggled. “I foretold that you were coming with your lover. So unless there is a boy hiding in the shadows somewhere...”

Ren sighed. “No, you got us.” Chihaya giggled again.

“Um, who is this?” Sumire wondered.

“Oh, forgive me,” Chihaya said. “My name is Chihaya Mifune. I’m a fortune teller.”

“I see,” Sumire said. “And a very good one at that, I can tell.”

“Thanks,” Chihaya said. “And your name?”

“Oh, right,” Sumire said. “I’m Sumire Yoshizawa. Ren’s girlfriend.” She bowed.

“Hm hm,” Chihaya chuckled. “So, what brings you here tonight, of all nights?”

“Well, um, Sumire isn’t 100% in the Halloween spirit, but I convinced her to do something a little fun. So perhaps she could have her fortune read?”

“I see,” Chihaya said. She turned to Sumire. “Are you alright with this?”

“Well, if Ren trusts you, I trust you,” Sumire said.

“Very well,” Chihaya said. She and Sumire set up the reading. Chihaya drew three cards. “I see.” She flipped the first one. “The Fool, upright. It tells that you are about to embark on a new journey.”

“Huh,” Sumire said.

Chihaya flipped the second card. “The Faith, upright. This journey will help you realize your true potential and do away with the lies of the past.”

“I see…” Sumire said.

Chihaya flipped the last part. “The Hunger, in reverse. This journey will end once the forces that try to suppress you are revealed to be nothing more than a shadow of lies and deceit. Only then will the truth come to you.”

“Hmmm,” Sumire said. “Well, that was a little intense…” Ren was a little worried. “But it was interesting.” Ren was relieved. “And given your penchant for seeing the truth, I imagine something like that happening.”

“Do you know what it is?” Chihahya asked.

“I have an idea,” Sumire said. “But it’s rather personal…”

“Say no more,” Chihaya said. “Just know I’ll be rooting for you.”

“Thanks,” Sumire said. “Oh, how much do I owe you?”

“Don’t worry,” Chihaya said. “This one’s on the house.”

Ren was stunned. “But, um, you know?” Sumire was confused.

“Don’t worry,” Chihaya said. “It will be alright in the end.”

Sumire looked at her. “Are you also undertaking a journey?”

Chihaya nodded. “And I know I’m coming up to a crossroads soon. I just have to believe in myself.”

“Well, you know I’m here for you,” Ren said.

“Me too,” Sumire replied.

“Thanks,” Chihaya said. “I think I’m going to need it.” She turned to Ren. “Especially from you.” Ren nodded.

“Um, if you believe in Ren as much as I do,” Sumire noted, “then I think things will go well for you.”

Chihaya giggled. “Well, I can’t believe in her as much as you do.” Sumire slightly blushed. “But I can tell that Ren is a force to be reckoned with.”

“Well, Sumire’s no slouch either,” Ren said.

“I can see that,” Chihaya said. “And if the two of you are together, then you’d be unstoppable.”

Ren smiled and blushed. “Thanks.”

Fortune-Chihaya Mifune: Rank 6

“So, do you want to stay and watch some other fortunes being read?” Ren asked.

“You should go…” Chihaya said. “Not that you wouldn’t be interested, but Halloween in Shinjuku attracts more of the bizarre crowd.”

“I think she’s right,” Sumire said. “But I had fun.”

“Well that’s all I need to hear,” Ren said. “Bye!”

“It was nice meeting you!” Sumire said.

“Bye bye you two!” Chihaya said. Ren and Sumire left. They shared a kiss before getting on the train.

Ryuji and Ann were still out and about having fun. "Man, this is the BEST Halloween I've ever had! Thanks for dragging me out!"

"Hm hm, no problem," Ann said. "To be honest, I think this is the best Halloween I've ever had too."

"No kiddin'?" Ryuji said. "Well, I know one thing that'll make it even better." "You read my mind," Ann said. The two shared a kiss.

As Akechi and Lena were heading back, Lena leaned on Akechi’s shoulder. “Tonight was fun.”

“Indeed,” Akechi replied. “To be honest, I never really liked Halloween before. I didn’t like some of the costumes I was given, but, well, you know why.” Lena chuckled. “And then after getting big, I didn’t have time or couldn’t get a costume to hide me enough” He looked deep into Lena’s eyes. “But tonight was really fun. And I feel like with you, I can enjoy anything.”

“Oh, stop!” Lena said. They were both blushing.

“This is a really nice costume,” Akechi said. “I wonder what you’ll come up with in the future.”

“Right…” Lena said. Do we have a future? Am I going home? She looked up at Akechi. Or is this my home?

Meanwhile, Akechi was distracted with his own thoughts. I can’t let her know I’ll probably be busy. Once the plan is set in motion, I might not have time for big stuff like this. But I’m sure she’ll understand. I just need everything in place.

He looked back at Lena. He leaned in, and Lena met him for a kiss. “Happy Halloween,” Akechi said.

“Happy Halloween,” Lena replied. The two continued onward.

Once Haru got out of the meeting, she got out her phone.

Haru: Everyone! I have some big news!

Haru: The SIU told Okumura Foods to recall its Starfall Coffee venture.

Haru: Something has to be up.

Futaba: Already know!

Futaba: Morgana overheard some police officers talking about it.

Futaba: He said that they heard they were causing the mental shutdowns!

Haru: WHAT?!

Sumire: That’s absurd!

Futaba: Maybe, but nothing about this case is “normal”.

Sumire: I guess you’re right.

Yusuke: Have you talked with Riko yet?

Futaba: Not yet.

Futaba: I was looking over my mom’s notes, and the notes about the director.

Futaba: I lost track of time.

Ren: It’s OK. Now we have something else.

Ren: Something big!

Futaba: Right. I’m on it!

Jose: What else did you find?

Futaba: The director is a very crafty person.

Futaba: His profile is full of twists and turns.

Futaba: I imagine that if he did kill his wife, he’d know how to make it look incidental.

Futaba: As for mom’s notes, I found something interesting.

Futaba: Apparently if you amass enough fame, you can tap into the collective unconscious.

Sumire: Mementos!

Jose: But if whoever killed your mom has these notes…

Futaba: That’s what I figured.

Futaba: We’re not the only ones in there.

Yusuke: Do you think it has anything to do with that body of water?

Futaba: Probably.

Ren: We should check, just to be sure.

Futaba: Right.

Futaba: Anyways, Haru, can you get the schematic for Starfall?

Haru: I don't think so.

Haru: I’m not great with computers to begin with, and I don’t think I’d have access to something like that.

Futaba: Plan B then.

Futaba: Come over, and I’ll give you the Futaba special. I’ll take care of the rest.

Haru: Got it.

Ren: See you all later!

Futaba: Seeya!

Futaba then went to work contacting Riko.

Futaba: Riko!

Futaba: Something big just happened.

Riko: What is it?

Futaba: Did you know that the SIU instructed a recall on Okumura Foods Starfall Coffee?

Riko: I was.

Riko: Sae told me about that.

Futaba: Well, it turns out that it’s because somehow Starfall Coffee is causing the mental shutdowns.

Riko: Oh right.

Riko: The director mentioned that.

Futaba: And you forgot?!

Riko: Forgive me. A lot was happening.

Riko: The fake calling card, Eirs, it was a lot to process.

Futaba: Well, I can’t say I blame you.

Futaba: BUT we have an idea as to how this was being used.

Riko: Go on.

Futaba: Well, looking through my mom’s notes, there’s a special concoction you can make to infiltrate people’s hearts. But you need to get them to ingest the blood of the person infiltrating after they drank it.

Futaba: So I suspect that Starfall Coffee was the means to do just that.

Riko: That seems like a lot.

Futaba: Right, but if this organization is so big to include Madarame, Kaneshiro, Okumura, and Principal Kobayakawa, they may have more numbers at their disposal.

Futaba: You don’t need a lot of blood, you need a lot of people.

Riko: I see.

Riko: Want me to get the schematics for Starfall Coffee?

Futaba: I'm on that on my end.

Futaba: But I do need you to do something.

Riko: What is it?

Futaba: Can you get the file on the murder case involving the director’s son?

Futaba: We suspect that he may have been involved, and that maybe he also murdered his wife.

Riko: Oh my!

Riko: I’m on it!

Riko: Oh, and I have a plan.

Futaba: You do?

Riko: Yeah. I asked Sae last night about what happens if you challenge her.

Riko: She told me that if that happens, she’s confronting the director.

Riko: She believes that once you’re done with her, you’ll meet up with him somehow.

Futaba: So we know where she’ll be.

Riko: And you told me when.

Riko: So all that’s left is to figure out what comes next.

Futaba: Right.

Futaba: Well, regardless, we need a way for Sae to get out.

Futaba: I think I have an idea for that.

Riko: We do need to fish for more information from the director too.

Futaba: Right. Akechi said not to ruffle any feathers until it’s time to strike.

Riko: You’re in contact with Akechi?

Futaba: Tentatively.

Futaba: It’s an uneasy alliance.

Riko: I see.

Riko: Well, regardless, I think I know a way to get some information once things go off.

Futaba: It can't involve us, because we’ll be busy in Sae’s palace.

Riko: Right.

Riko: My plan still works then.

Futaba: Well then, let’s see if our plans can work in tandem.

Riko: OK!

The two of them discussed their plan. Once they finished…

Futaba: Damn! You’re really clever.

Riko: Thanks.

Riko: You’re really smart yourself.

Futaba: Thanks.

Futaba: Now all we have to do is make sure we do well protecting Sae, while also making her see the error of her ways.

Riko: You have my confidence on that front.

Futaba: Thanks.

Futaba: Goodnight!

Riko: Happy Halloween!

Futaba: Happy Halloween!

Riko put her phone away. She began looking through more notes.

Sae came out of her office. Riko looked up. “Oh, how are you doing?”

“I’m feeling great! Sae said. “This upcoming trial will be easy, and soon I’ll have The Phantom Thieves in my grasp. Hm. You know, I saw a bunch of people dress up as Phantom Thieves today. Thinking that they’re heroes.”

“Well hold on,” Riko said. “People dress up as villains too.”

“I guess that’s true,” Sae said.

“Phantom Thieves aside, how do you feel about Halloween?” Riko said. “I wasn’t too big on it as a kid, but when I grew up and could pick what I wanted to dress as, I suddenly got it.”

“A late bloomer, I see,” Sae noted.

“Yeah…” Riko said. “That.”

“Hm,” Sae said. “Well, I’ve always liked Halloween. But lately, I haven’t had the time for it.”

“I see,” Riko said. “It is busy here, huh.”

“Well, there are occasions where things let up,” Sae said. “Last year, I got out of work early and dressed up as a werewolf.”

"Ooo. Spooky," Riko remarked.

“Eh, not really,” Sae said. “It was kind of a last minute thing.”

“Still, I bet it looked great on you!” Riko said.

“Um, yes…” Sae said, slightly blushing. “Anyways, what’s your favorite costume you’ve ever worn?”

“Oh, that’s easy,” Riko said. “One year, I wore this immaculate female Vampire costume. It just felt so GOOD, you know?”

“Hm hm. You didn’t need to add ‘female’ to that,” Sae pointed out.

“Oh, uh, right…” Riko said, nervous. “Well, what about you? What was your favorite costume?”

Sae paused. “Don’t laugh.” She sighed. “It was Makoto’s first Halloween. I wanted to dress up as something spooky, but my parents were worried that would upset Makoto. So they made me wear this Buchimaru-kun costume. I hated it. I was miserable for the first few hours.

But then there was a loud noise. My parents were worried that something bad happened to the neighbors, and rushed outside to check on them, leaving me with Makoto. Suddenly, I was alone with her. Carrying her. I was so nervous. I did my best, but I was so unsure of myself.

But you know what she did? She smiled. That was the first time Makoto smiled at me. My parents came back and assured me that everything was alright. They noticed me taking care of Makoto, and I got to do a lot of things. I fed her. I burped her. I played with her. It was nice.

So that’s why that’s my favorite costume. I don’t know why I’m telling you that. Usually, I say it’s the one time I went as the Black Featherman.”

“Hmmm,” Riko said. “You know, I’m partial to Pink myself.”

“I figured you would be,” Sae said.

“But that story was really sweet,” Riko said. “And don’t worry, I won’t say anything.”

Sae smiled. “Thanks. Let’s go home.” Riko nodded, and the two headed off. As they were leaving, Sae glanced at Riko. Alright Sae. It’s a deal. Once I’ve captured The Phantom thieves, I’m asking her out!

Notes:

Hoo boy, this was a lot. I don't imagine chapters like this will be entirely common, but I don't think they'll be uncommon either. I do like expanding on the world and characters, and boy did this give me the opportunity to do just that. But it also has some plot stuff in it. This chapter is a balancing act between serious plot stuff and good fluff and filler, which is one of my favorite things when it comes to storytelling.

Also, I'm not going to tell you what the plan is. You have to wait. But this chapter really helped bring it together more. We are outlining things, and I am loving it. I'm still a little nervous about the confidants, but I think I can manage.

Anyways, enjoy!

Chapter 196: Death Becomes Her

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Takemi was face to face with the hospital building she used to work at. Now that Oyamada was arrested, she had the opportunity to come back. However, she wasn’t the same person as she was before. Still, the things she could do in this hospital could revolutionize the medical world. She took a deep breath and stepped inside.

She took note of the Halloween decorations. She smiled. Despite the fact that being a doctor was an intensive job, she knew that the people here had to keep their humanity, and this was one way of doing that. “Here you go Himiko,” she heard someone say. She turned to see a doctor wearing wolf ears handing a lollipop to a child patient. “You were so brave today.”

“Thanks doctor!” Himiko said.

“Don’t mention it,” the doctor replied. “Happy Halloween!” Himiko left, while the doctor looked on, smiling.

Takemi chuckled. “Hello Doctor Furuya.”

Furuya looked over his shoulder to see Takemi. “Oh, uh, Doctor Takemi!” He said, taking off his wolf ears. “Did you make your decision?”

“I believe I have,” Takemi responded.

“Great!” Furuya said. “Then let’s go to my office.”

“Great!” Takemi said. They started heading over. “By the way, you didn’t need to take off those ears for my sake.”

Furuya scowled. “I’d like to be somewhat professional for this meeting.”

“Fair enough,” Takemi said.

They soon reached Furuya’s office. “So, are you ready to come back?”

“Well…that’s the thing…” Takemi said. “I don’t think I will.”

Furuya was confused. “Pardon?”

Takemi smiled. “Don’t get me wrong, with Oyamada out of the picture, this place would be paradise. However, I found a little slice of paradise on my own.”

“That clinic you’re running?” Fuyura replied.

Takemi nodded. “I mean, it was there that I managed to get farther with the drug than I ever had here.”

“Right…” Furuya responded. “Still, we can help you with all sorts of things that your clinic might not be able to get.”

“I know,” Takemi said. “But at the same time, there are things at the clinic that I can’t get here. Despite the circumstances, I’ve grown to be quite popular in the area. I know that someone else could take over, but I want to stay because, well, I feel like I’m part of the community now.”

Furuya nodded. “Well, trust is an important part of being a doctor.”

“However,” Takemi said, ‘I do have an idea I’d like to propose.”

“Oh?”

“Is it possible that I could work with the hospital while maintaining my position at the clinic?” Takemi asked.

Furuya looked at her intently. He smirked. “I see.”

“I know it’s a little selfish,” Takemi said. “But it’s what I want.”

“Well then, I don’t see why not?” Furuya replied.

Takemi was stunned. “Really?!”

“Of course!” Furuya said. “I mean, we’ve gotten this far with you working at your clinic. I don’t see a reason to force you away from doing what you love, especially since we’ve gotten the most promising results with your data. I feel like we can make the accommodation.”

Takemi smiled. “Thanks.”

Furuya smiled back. “Oh! I just remembered something!” He got up. “Follow me. You’re gonna wanna see this.” He started rushing out of the office.

“Um, OK?” Takemi said, following behind him.

As they were going through the halls, Furuya turned to Takemi and said “You know, it’s a bit serendipitous you came today.” Takemi was still a little confused. When they reached their destination, she was stunned. “She just woke up this morning.”

Takemi was in shock. Looking through the window, she saw her: Miwa. The girl she was working so hard to heal. And it appears the fruits of her labor paid off. She smiled ear to ear. “Thank you.” She walked in. Miwa and her parents looked at her. “Hello.”

“Hello,” Miwa’s dad said, surprised by the encounter.

“Dr. Takemi!” Miwa’s mom said.

Takemi walked over to Miwa. “I heard you just woke up. How are you feeling?”

Miwa paused for a moment. “A little exhausted, but better.”

“That’s always good,” Takemi replied.

Miwa frowned. “I heard some people saying mean things about you. I bet it was that mean doctor spreading lies.”

Takemi chuckled. “Don’t let that bother you. You need to focus on recovering.”

“But the only reason I can recover is because of you, right?” Miwa asked.

Takemi paused. “No.” Miwa was confused. “I had a lot of help. Why, even when that ‘mean doctor’ said bad things about me and tried ruining me, I had help from the unlikeliest of people.”

“I see,” Miwa said.

Takemi chuckled. “We all need help from time to time. Right now, you need help recovering from all of this. But lucky for you, I’ll be helping out, along with everyone else at this place.”

“I don’t want to see that mean doctor though,” Miwa said.

“Don’t worry,” Takemi said. “The Phantom Thieves dealt with him.”

“Really?!” Miwa said. “That’s so cool!”

“I know,” Takemi said.

“I bet it’s because The Phantom Thieves like you so much!” Miwa exclaimed.

“Well…” Takemi began. She then paused, thinking about what Miwa had said. She smirked. “Perhaps you’re right.” Miwa chuckled. “Now, I want you to be a good girl and listen to the other doctors when I’m not here OK?”

“Where are you going?” Miwa asked.

“I have my own clinic, with other patients that need me,” Takemi explained.

“That makes sense,” Miwa said.

“Do you think you can do that for me?” Takemi asked.

“Of couse!” Miwa replied.

Takemi smiled. “Well then, you’ll be up and about in no time.”

“Thanks,” Miwa said. “But I feel a little tired.”

“Well then, take care. Good night,” Takemi said. “You’ve got to store up that energy if you want to recover.”

“Right…” Miwa said, as she drifted back off to sleep.

As Takemi was about to leave, Miwa’s father said “Wait!” Takemi looked back. “We’d like to apologize to you.”

Miwa’s mother interjected “We believed Oyamada, and…we’re sorry.”

Takemi smirked. “If I were you, I’d focus on Miwa’s recovery.” Miwa’s parents were a little confused. “When an illness is gone is only the beginning. You have to readjust to get back to where you were before, or at least a similar place. Oyamada is gone. I don’t need to hear about him anymore. What I need to hear is the fact that Miwa is getting better each day, so I know that this wasn’t all for naught. Likewise, Miwa doesn’t need to hear about her illness; she needs to hear about what you plan to do when she gets out of here. Do you understand?”

Miwa’s parent’s nodded, with her father answering “Yes.”

“Hm,” Takemi replied. “I’m glad. Thank you.” With that, she walked out.

“How’d it go?” Furuya asked.

“Better than I could have imagined,” Takemi said. She looked at him with the brightest smile. “This was the best birthday present I could have hoped for.”

Furuya was confused. “It’s your birthday today?”

“Tomorrow,” Takemi replied. “But sometimes, I like to celebrate early.”

“I see,” Furuya said. “Well, why don’t we continue the celebration, and we can grab lunch. I’ll pay, of course.”

Takemi giggled. “Only if you put the ears back on.” Furuya was confused. “I’m kidding, of course. That sounds great. Let’s go.” Furuya smiled and nodded, and the two of them headed out.

Notes:

I'm in a bit of a funk, and I needed to do something like this, and lucky for me Takemi's 9.5 was next on the schedule I made for myself. It's just so simple and heartwarming that it helped clear my head a bit. The last chapter was all over the place (but in a good way I hope), so having a more focused chapter here is nice. Plus I always love expanding on characters, even if just a little bit.

By the way, I'm a little to tired now, but I may just give all the confidants who don't have a specified birthday a birthday. I don't know how often it'll come up like that, but it is fun and a little creative, so we'll see.

Anyways, enjoy!

Series this work belongs to:

Works inspired by this one: