Actions

Work Header

The 5 Times Emma Thought Ray Kissed Norman

Summary:

...and the one time Ray kissed her.

[ Written for #RayEmmaWeek2020 ]

Notes:

Supposedly for Day 2 prompt: Jealousy/Confession, but I kind of a bit late.
Ah, anyway, enjoy the journey~

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

Ray (19:20 p.m.)
Hey, you free tomorrow? Norman gave me some tickets for that new opened amusement park, saying he’s sick so he can’t go. Wanna go there with me?

 

The first time Emma read that chat message, she squealed so loud that her little sister even complaining through her door. How could she not? Ray, her neighbor and childhood friend who’s also her crush for a long time, had asked her to hang out together. But…honestly, that’s not the main reason. The thing is:
1) The next day is a Valentine’s day;
and 2) It practically just screams ‘DATE,’ isn’t it? (even though Emma knows it’s not, but oh well, let a girl dream once in a while!)

And for a while, she is indeed happy. For a while, she’s really having the time of her life. Riding on all her favorite park rides with her favorite person, what more could she ask for? Moreover, she can really imagine that it’s all a date with her dream boyfriend—the boy who’s actually already has a boyfriend, though…

But…at the end of their day……

“Hey Emma. I…actually have liked you for a long time."

“W-What?"

"And… Ah, please tell me if I’m reading this all wrong, but…you do like me too, right?”

"L-like?! W-what do you mean?! How do you–?!”

“Emma, will you go out with me?”

“Go… G-go out? …What do you mean?”

“Oh, God! Dating, idiot. I’m asking you to date me!”

“Dating? As in…romantically? As boyfriend and girlfriend?”

“What else, duh?”

“But– Wouldn’t that mean you’re cheating on Norman?”

“Cheating? What are you saying– Wait. WHAT?!”

 

*

 The 5 Times Emma Thought Ray Kissed Norman

(…and the one time Ray kissed her)

Chapter 2: The First Time

Chapter Text

There are many things Ray finds it difficult to believe. Like how his math teacher often wearing that one perfume brand that smells very much like rotten berries to class, for example. Or how come Norman always manages to pass his P.E. class even though Ray swears he saw Norman passed out at third grade after just a minute running. But what he finds very difficult to believe right now is…

“B-but– Y-you’re dating Norman, right?”

How come his crush got this ridiculous idea him of dating his roommate?!

“I’m– What?! What are you saying? I’m not even gay!”

Emma stares at him unimpressedly. Much like the stare her mom used to give him whenever he mistook cabbages as lettuces—they really do look similar!

“Honestly, Ray. You don’t have to hide it! Are you asking me out just for the sake of dating a girl? How do you think Norman would feel?! Yes, I-I…I do l-like you. B-but! I won’t date a guy who already has a boyfriend! I’m not that selfish!”

“Wait– Wait! HOLD ON! Norman and I never date each other. How the heck did you ever get that idea?!”

“W-what? B-but…I saw you guys kissed!”

“K-KISSED?!”

“Yes! Multiple times!”

“What the heck? When?!”

Emma pauses, her mouth curled up into an upset pout as she racks her brain back for the memory.

“Well, the first time was…”

 

First Time – (Emma’s Version)

“Hey, Gilda. Have you seen Ray? I can’t find him anywhere since this morning, ugh!”

That day, Emma wanted to borrow Ray’s notes for the upcoming biology exam. She never knew how her friend did it, but Ray always managed to write more detailed notes than anyone. It probably had to do with his infamous exceptional memory ability, she guessed. Ah, it’s so unfair that some people could just be born that gifted!

“Well, I actually haven’t seen him too.” Gilda shrugged, answering her earlier question. “But I think Hayato mentioned about having a lab an hour ago with both Ray and Norman? Maybe they’re still there? Or you can just try searching in the library. Ray often spends his free class periods there, right?” her friend suggested.

“Ah, thanks Gilda! I’ll check the labs first!”

Emma ran to the corridor of the labs section as soon as she thanked Gilda. Her fourth period would begin soon, and she was hoping to borrow Ray’s notes before lunch break.

The labs were almost all empty when she arrived there. A couple of students were working on something inside the physics lab, and there’s no one inside the home economics lab. Then, she arrived at the biology lab and about to push the door to peer in, but…

“Stay still! Okay, okay. I’ll try to do it more gently. But dammit! Try to stay still!”

Her jaw dropped open in shock. There, at the last row of the desks inside the lab, Ray and Norman were together…with Ray leaning in about to kiss Norman.

‘W-what?! Since when?!’

Part of her heart broke into pieces. Not wanting to see it further, she hurriedly ran back, forgetting what she’s about to ask Ray for the rest of the day.

 

“Oh, hell! That wasn’t me kissing him!”

Ray groans after he listened to Emma’s story.

“Then what was it?!” Emma scowls, not believing him.

“It was just…”

 

First Time – (Ray’s Version)

“Ack–!”

Ray glanced at his friend as he’s cleaning up the leftover materials that they used for the biology lab class just then.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to wear these lenses,” Norman mumbled from behind him. “Ugh, why is it so difficult?!”

Ray snorted at his friend who winced again when the lens was about to touch his eyelids.

“Here, let me help.”

“Do you even know how to do it?” Norman asked suspiciously.

“Who in the world doesn’t know how to wear contact lenses?”

“I’m just being cautions! Who knows if you’ll stab my eyes or something?!”

Ray rolled his eyes. “If I wanted to kill you, I would’ve chosen a more elegant way than just stabbing your eyes.”

Norman grimaced. “It sounds scary if you say it like that!”

“Whatever. Here, give me the lenses!”

Ray tried his best to put the lens on carefully. But, oh God! Norman just wouldn’t stay still!

“Stop twitching!” he scolded the boy.

Norman bit his lip and tried again. But it’s useless. “Sorry, I swear I’m trying! I just can’t help it!”

Ray eventually lost his patience and leaned to forward to push his friend to his desk so Norman would keep still.

“Stay still! Okay, okay. I’ll try to do it more gently. But dammit! Try to stay still!”

“I said I AM trying—”

 

“That’s what happened!” Ray explains irritatedly.

Chapter 3: The Second Time

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Emma still looks at him doubtfully, as if she doesn’t really believe his story. Actually, maybe she doesn’t, Ray muses inside irritatedly. ‘I thought everything would be done after I managed to confess. But what kind of weird scenario is even this?!’

In front him, Emma inhales deeply, steeling herself. “Okay. Fine. Let’s pretend that it’s really what happened back then—”

“It’s really what happened!”

“BUT! You definitely can’t deny the second time I saw you guys kissed!”

“We NEVER kissed!”

“Whatever. Listen—”

 

            Second Time – (Emma’s Version)

That day, Emma was visiting the boys’ dorm to ask Ray if she can borrow one of what she liked to call his “emo” shirts. Yes, she needed a black shirt because that’s the dress code for a social parade about health awareness that she would join in the next day.

It was a weekend, so Emma knew that chances are Ray was going to be at his dorm. Because she knew that her friend rarely ever went out, no matter what the rest of the students seemed to think about his popular image. Well, to be fair Ray actually got that image from being seemingly “cool and aloof” because of his constant sleepy state due to his screwed-up sleep schedule. But shh! We’re not talking about that!

Arriving at the boys’ dorm, she walked in casually to the floor Ray’s room at. Most of the students already knew that they’re best-friends, so no one making big deals anymore out of one of them just visiting each other’s room.

Emma saw that the door to Ray’s room was opened, so she just called her friend out, “Raaay, do you think I can bo—”

Her words got caught in her throat. “…rrow.”

Emma widened her eyes. There, inside Ray’s room, she saw both Ray and Norman were sprawled on the floor and Ray was…leaning…on top of Norman…a-and…

 Her head got dizzy. She took a step back just at the time Norman turned to her. He seemed to be talking something. But Emma didn’t hear anything they said because before she realized it, she’s already running back towards the gate.

‘W-what was that?! Did they really…?!’

Catching her friend kissing another person in a lab class was one thing. But catching Ray, out of all people, making out with another person inside his room was…was… something, to say the least.

Emma ignored the mix of hurt and bewilderment nagging inside of her and chose not to think about it further for the time being.

 

“I caught you inside of your own room, making out with him on the floor! What any more proof do you need?!”

Ray groans and wipes his face tiredly. “Again, that’s not what happened!”

“So?” Emma raises her eyebrows. “How can you explain this one?”

“That one must be…”

 

            Second Time – (Ray’s Version)

“Hey, you got that sword item yet? Ugh. I’ve been trying for hours and still can’t get that one! Do you have it? Can borrow yours for a bit? I just need to level up to the 5th dungeon.”

It was a weekend, so Ray was enjoying his quiet time inside his dorm playing the newest android game he just downloaded. Just like always. As for his roommate, Norman, well… He’s not actually sure why was his usually out-going friend holed-up inside their room with him that day, but he’s not going to wonder much about unimportant things like that.

Norman hummed from his position on the bottom bunk. “Hmm, nope. I don’t have it yet either.”

That’s what his friend said, but……

“Hey, what’s that sound? Isn’t that the sound from the game?”

“Um, I didn’t hear anything…”

“Liar!” Ray accused, “You just won that round, didn’t you? How did you do it without the sword? Wait. No. You lied to me too!”

“Don’t just go accusing people!” Norman protested.

“No way! There’s no way you can beat that sixth dungeon without the sword! Let me see!”

Ray lunged downward from his top bunk to snatch Norman’s phone. Alas, Norman was faster. All Ray managed to catch was his friend’s wrist, while Norman already moved his phone to his other hand.

“Heeey! Let me see! You’re not letting me see, so you really lied, didn’t you?!”

“No one said anything about lying,” Norman stuck his tongue at him.

Ray gritted his teeth annoyedly. “Let me see!”

In a desperate attempt, he tried yanking his arm and……

“Whoaa–!”

“Ouch!”

Unfortunately, he failed to calculate the momentum and gotten yanked down instead. Their bodies rolled until they ended up fell on the floor, on top each other. They both groaned.

“What the heck…”

“It’s your fault! Why did you grab my hand like that?!”

“The fuck?! It’s definitely your fault! This won’t happen if you didn’t lie in the first place!”

“This is just a stupid game! Why are you even so invested in it?!”

“Aaaargh, whatever! Hurry get off of me!”

“I can’t, Ray. Your body is crushing my arm!”

“Well, I can’t get up if you don’t get up first, idiot!”

A series of groaning and bumping their heads on the bedpost later, they finally managed to untangle themselves from each other.

“Hey, wasn’t it Emma?” Norman suddenly said.

“Huh?”

“That person just now. Wasn’t it Emma?”

Ray frowned, glancing at their door to make sure. “There’s no one there. You’re seeing things.” He deadpanned.

“No, no. I think I really heard her voice. Go check there!”

Norman pushed him, forcing him to get up and walk to the door. Ray rolled his eyes. Honestly, if it was really Emma, she would be letting herself in already. They had been close friends since childhood. There’s no reason to be awkward when visiting each other anymore.

“Emma, what is it—”

Ray sighed. There’s no one out there, just as he expected. He turned back again at his roommate.

“See? There’s no one there. You’re probably just imagining things.”

 

Ray exhaled tiredly. All these explanations starting to take a toll on his patience. “You get it, now? That must be the time when you’re visiting. Why you have to be so dramatic and run away like that, anyway?” he grumbles.

Emma just purses her lips. “Fine. Now, what’s about—”

Notes:

see, it gets worse lol XD

Chapter 4: The Third Time

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Fine. Now, what’s about—”

“See? Now, are you done with this ridiculous idea, and can we go back to—”

WHAT’S ABOUT,” Emma half-shouts, pointing an accusing finger at him now, “THAT TIME YOU MAKE OUT WITH NORMAN IN THE SCHOOL’S TOILET!”

“HAAAH?!”

 

            Third Time – (Emma’s Version)

“Gildaaa! Annaaa! Did you see Ray anywhere? He promised he’ll help me study for tomorrow’s math test on lunch break, but now I can’t find him anywhere. Aargh, idiot Ray! Why I can never find him whenever I really need him?!”

Anna chuckled at her antic. Both she and Gilda were enjoying their meal at the cafeteria before Emma came to them. From the seat beside Anna, Gilda rolled her eyes exasperatedly.

“Have you tried like, you know, using modern technology and text him or something before coming crying in crisis at us?” Gilda suggested sarcastically.

Emma grinned sheepishly. “I didn’t think of it…”

Just as she said that, Hayato coming running from the entrance of the cafeteria, looking all sweaty and stiff as if he had just seen a ghost or something.

“Hayato, are you alright?” Anna asked concernedly.

“M-me? Haha. Yeah. Alright! Super alright! There’s nothing wrong! N-nothing wrong at all! Absolutely nothing wrong and nothing weird! I really, really hadn’t just saw anything weird.”

Gilda glared suspiciously. “That sounds very much like you’re hiding something…”

Hayato blanched. “W-whaaa?! Nothing! I’m really not hiding something—”

“Anyway,” Emma cut the poor boy off, “Hayato, have you seen Ray anywhere?”

“R-R-Ray?!”

Emma frowned confusedly. “Yes. Ray. our friend, Ray Leslie. Have you seen him—”

“H-he is at the toilet busy doing some thingies with Norman so you better not go there– W-WAIT! I WASN’T SUPPOSED TO SAY THIS. PLEASE PRETEND YOU DIDN’T HEAR! PLEASEEE!”

“‘Some thingies’?”

Gilda and Anna stared bewilderedly. While Emma’s jaw dropped instantly. Because…

At the toilet?! Seriously?! At the school toilet?! Okay, okay. She didn’t even know that Ray was gay but she’s supposed to be the supportive best-friend here– BUT. Ray and Norman are making out at the school toilet?! Or are they doing anything more?! WHAT DOES ‘SOME THINGIES’ EVEN SUPPOSED TO MEAN?! ARE THEY DOING SOME NAUGHTY THINGS THERE?!

Things even gotten worse when Gilda gasped, shook their poor blonde boy’s shoulders, and asked, “Hayato! You need to tell us right now! WHO TOPS?”

“T-tops?”

“IT WAS RAY, RIGHT? RIGHT? RIGHT?”

Anna glanced at loss between the two. “What are you talking about…?”

“GILDA, IT’S NOT THIS IS NOT SOME BL MANGA!” Emma screeched, unaware that she just caught all the people in the cafeteria’s attention.

…She honestly just felt at loss now.

 

Ray stared horrifiedly after Emma’s done with her story. “W-what the heck?! How did you even get that conclusion?! Who would even do that kind of thing in a school toilet?!”

Emma scowled. “Then, how you would explain this one? Hayato even saw it this time!”

“Hayato didn’t saw anything!” Ray screams frustratedly. “Listen, that one was…”

 

            Third Time – (Ray’s Version)

“RAY LESLIE! COME HERE RIGHT THIS SECOND! I’LL FUCKING END YOU!”

Ray gulped. Crap!

It wasn’t really his fault, he swore. It…at least only partly his fault. But now here he was, running from the angry Violet in their school corridor.

Damn it! Where to hide where to hide where to hide—

His answer came in the form of boys’ toilet room. He hurriedly ran inside, accidentally colliding with someone there.

“Ouch! Hey, look where you– Huh, Ray? What are you– Mmph!”

Not wasting any time, he clasped his palm over whoever it was and dragged the person inside one of the stalls with him.

 “Shh!”

Thankfully, when Ray turned around, he discovered that it wasn’t any stranger. It was just Norman.

“Listen, I’m in danger here so you stay quiet, got it?”

“Uh, what?”

Ray didn’t manage to explain further as Violet’s shouting quickly could be heard again there.

“RAY LESLIE! WHERE THE FUCK ARE YOU?!”

Ray gulped.

“What did you do?” Norman hissed.

“Err…accidentally breaking her precious racket.”

“The one she had won from that national competition?!”

“It was an accident, okay?!”

A sound of feet stomping made its way there.

“RAY LESLIE—”

“Vio! Stop it! Come on, this is the boys’ toilet!”

Bless Gillian, Ray thought as he heard that girl trying to calm Violet.

“I NEED TO FUCKING FIND HIM—”

“Let’s just search for him somewhere else! Come on, Vio. This is basically an invasion of privacy, you know! What if there’s any boys coming here—”

“Aargh, fine! Let’s just go now. Wait until I find that culprit and kill him with my own hands.”

“Err…yeah, yeah. L-let’s just go now!”

A series of footsteps existing the room could be heard, but Ray didn’t dare yet to heave the breath he’s been holding all along.

“Hey, can you check out if she has gone yet?” he asked to Norman.

“Why me?”

“Because I’ll be dead if she found me, dumbass!”

Norman rolled his eyes. “Fine, fine.”

His friend opened the door of their stall a bit and peered outside. “Clear.” Norman made an ‘ok’ sign with his fingers, before opening the door wider.

“Haaahh, finally!” Ray exhaled relievedly and took a step outside, following right behind Norman. But just as he did that…

“Eh, Hayato?”

Norman’s voice brought him back from his temporary relief.

He gasped sharply. “You can’t tell anyone that I’m here, you hear me?! You absolutely can’t! Not to anyone! Understand?!”

The poor boy instantly stammered, “Y-yes! I-I’m sorry for interrupting and uh, f-feel free to continue! I-I’M SORRYYY!”

“Huh?”

Ray blinked confusedly as the boy quickly ran and slamming the door behind him. What a weird kid…

 

“That must be what Hayato meant back then.” Ray pinched his nose frustratedly.

Oh, God, who knew how strange Hayato acted back then would be causing a weird misunderstanding like this! Dammit, that kid!

Notes:

I kind of enjoying myself too much in this chapter, lol
Gilda being a fangirl in the human world is one of my favorite headcanon XD

Chapter 5: The Fourth Time (part 1)

Notes:

So... I wrote this a while ago... Keep putting off editing it and eventually got distracted by other fics enough that I forgot about it (':
Aaaaahh sorry!! Anyway, this one is pure crack, lol. I would lie if I say this chapter isn't one of my main reason of writing this fic XD
I split this one into 2 parts because it's gotten a bit too long. I'll post the 2nd part soon after this.
Anyway, enjoy this chaotic mess!

ps: there's heavy mentions on sexual innuendos (which none of it actually happened, lol)

Chapter Text

What’s even more weird, though, how Emma in front of him still frowning with a disbelieving look.

“Are you not just making up stories?” Emma accuses again.

Ray stares incredulously. “What? Why would I even do that?”

“Because after that, I witnessed it myself!”

“Aaargh, witnessing what else?!”

 

            Fourth Time – (Emma’s Version)

Just to make sure, after what Hayato said, Emma went to check out what happened herself.

The boys’ toilet room located at the second floor, just before the stairs. She went there with batted breath and heart beating loudly inside her chest.

To do something like this… I-Isn’t it practically an invasion of privacy? B-But, in her defense, she really didn’t have any intention of doing something weird! She would go there just to make sure! Nothing more! Not even peeking into the room! …Well, else people might mistake her to be some kind of a perverted girl.

Finally arriving there… She found out that the door was shut closed.

…Wait. What she even planned to do? How in the world she’d be able to make sure of…o-of that ‘some thingies’ Hayato said Ray was doing with Hayato…? Should she just burst in…? No. No. That’s a big NO! she’s here to check whether Ray, her best-friend, really was doing something…err, weird. She’s not here to do some weird things herself!

Stepping closer, she initially raised her fist to knock, but……

The door quaked. On itself.

And, then……

“Come on, push it in again! Yes! Yes! A little more! Come on, Raaay! Just a little moreee!”

W-Wasn’t it Norman’s voice? What they’re doing there? Pushing what in?

“I’m trying! I’m trying! I-It’s too tight—”

W-What’s too tight?! What they’re really doing inside there?!

“Ugh, I-I can’t—”

“Fine, fine. Move your legs! Let me try it again.”

Why Ray asked Norman to move his legs?! What could they really be doing there?!

“Aaargh! Dammit! Why the heck it’s so tight?!”

Why was Ray groaning like that?! What’s happening inside there?!

“N-Not yet…?”

“Fuck! The hole’s just too small!”

HOLE?! WHAT HOLE?!

Oh my God oh my God oh my God OH MY GOD, THEY’RE SERIOUSLY DOING IT HERE?! AT THE SCHOOL TOILET?!

Emma honestly felt like crying. All hopes now burned to ashes. Ray’s really doing it… Ray’s really doing it with Norman… What should she do now? She had to be a supportive friend for him, of course. She knew that she had to, but…

…Wait. Melancholy of her broken heart aside, a more curious side of herself suddenly surfaced. Lots of questions immediately popped up in her head.

Had Ray ever done it before? Was Ray’s first time with Norman? Those two must’ve had done it, right? Was it…w-was it at the school too? After that one time she caught them kissing in the laboratory…perhaps?

Oh God, no, no, no! She shouldn’t be snooping on other people’s love life, much less her own friends!

But… But… Emma grimaced. She’s already accepted her loss here. Just to mend her broken heart, a little curiosity could be justified, right? R-right…?

“Uhh, yeah. It’s a tight fit. Do you think we should use some kind of lubricant?”

Norman’s voice brought her back to the bitter present.

Wait. Wait. Wait! LUBRICANT?! LUBE?! They’re going to do it all the way?! Here, out of all place?!

Emma was sure that she must’ve had looked comical out there. Mouth closing and gaping repeatedly like a fish, she felt a mix of various emotions that she’s unsure what to describe anymore.

“Using what? We got no oils around here.”

…S-shouldn’t people use those specifically made lubricants instead of oils these days?

“Um, how about hand soap? The liquid is slippery enough. Also, there’s plenty enough here.”

HAND SOAP?!

Emma was torn between wanting to barge in to tell them that it’s probably not really a good idea and feeling pity for whoever person who’d be using the hand soap next time. But, uhh, what other people doesn’t know wouldn’t hurt, right?

“Enough! Enough! I think it’s enough, Ray.”

“Are you sure?”

“We shouldn’t waste too much soap. It’s still the school facility.”

IT’S THE SCHOOL’S FACILITY SO YOU TWO SHOULDN’T BE USING IT FOR THINGS LIKE THAT!

“Okay, okay. It’s getting too wet and messy, anyway. Let’s try again now.”

“Yeah, push it. No, no. Not like that. Angle it down a bit.”

W-why’s Norman somehow very knowledgeable in this?!

…anyway, who would top? Stop it stop it stop thinking these kinds of things—

“Aaaargh, it’s still a tight fit! I can’t push it in!”

Emma gasped. That was Ray’s voice again. S-so…Ray’s topping, huh? A-and Ray turned out quite big, huh? What are you thinking, stupid brain!

“Ouch! Be careful! It hurts!”

“Uh, sorry.”

…Ouch. Poor Norman… W-Wait! Why the heck she’s feeling pity for the person who had stolen her crush?!

But, uhh… Norman had won fair and square. She had no right to be upset over that anymore. Or fantasizing about her crush, for that matter. But, speaking of fantasizing…

“It’s no use!”

“Maybe we should try different position?”

D-DIFFERENT POSITION?! They even know about various sex position?! Maybe her hunch of Ray secretly been collecting porn all this time was right, after all…

“Oh, good idea. Yeah, different angle. That probably will work.”

“H-Hey! Don’t push it like that! You’re putting too much force!”

Emma winced. Okay, now she’s feeling some pity for real. Will Norman able to walk straight after this? Wait. Or maybe Norman’s secretly a masochist…?

Ahaha. Haha. That’s an absurd idea…

…Or maybe not.

W-Wait. Why she’s asking herself that kind of question here?! Aaaargh, it’s totally Gilda’s fault for keep shoving some twisted BL manga to her face and ruining her mind!

It’s enough! It’s enough! What kind of person being nosy about their friend’s sex life?! No! It’s totally enough! She had found out the truth. She’d go back and calm herself for now, and—

“Damn it! I give up!”

“Don’t be like that! Do you want to come out or not?!”

Err… Why Norman suddenly became rather aggressive?

“Aaargh, we just need to put it in! Why can’t we put it in?!”

Emma gulped. S-So…Ray really, really is THAT big…?

“Maybe it’s just too big.”

EVEN NORMAN AGREED?! H-How big ray actually is?!

AAAHH– NO, NO, NO! Enough of snooping in! Enough. Enough. It’s totally enough! She should give them some privacy here! Ray wasn’t hers in the first place, and he had a freaking boyfriend now. Stop fantasizing about him! She should stop thinking about Ray from now on!

Quickly, Emma slapped her face to get rid of the weird thoughts and hurriedly walked away from there.

 

Ray gapes. Finding it in himself to be at loss on what to say anymore and can only stare with his jaw open after hearing the whole thing, because…

“What. The. Heck.”