Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-06-06
Updated:
2022-10-08
Words:
124,706
Chapters:
20/?
Comments:
762
Kudos:
1,282
Bookmarks:
447
Hits:
101,280

Dragons of Wolf and Sun

Chapter 20: The Wolves Strike

Summary:

With Eddard Stark captured, Robb Stark leads the Northern forces to free his father and their liege lord.

Notes:

Here's the next chapter, hope you all enjoy it!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

As they rode south and the weather became warmer, thousands of men came to join them. Men from the barrows and the white knife. Ser William Dustin had brought over a thousand men. Thousands more swelled up the Northern army. A token force of a hundred Manderly men joined them to send a message to await a larger force of one thousand five hundred men being gathered at White Harbour.

 

Every day, Robb would summon one of his bannermen and spend the whole day talking to him. Jon rode with his men instead of Robb as he did not want anyone thinking he was favoured. Robb would summon Jon too as he was after all a bannermen of House Stark . Jon advised Robb to look for allies, Stannis Baratheon and the Tyrells, Jon could even foresee a marriage alliance between Margaery Tyrell and Robb.

 

Dozens of different strategies were thrown at Robb. All of which he considered carefully. The mood was grim as they rode south. Jon wished he could ride faster to get to his father and sisters. Jon could see that Robb was feeling the same thing. 

 

Finally, they reached the castle of Moat Cailin. Though it was no castle. It was a ruin. Nevertheless, Jon knew this was the key to the North. It had never been breached from the south and was an immense obstacle to any who dared attack the North from the south.

 

“We will camp here, Lord Umber, you take the children’ tower, Lord Karstark, the drunkard’s tower is under you.” Robb said.

“Thank you Lord Stark.” Rickard Karstark said with a nod of his head. Before he rode off to his men. The Stark army split up into three.

“We will wait for the Manderlys,” Robb told Jon as they rode towards the gatehouse tower. “They have the most cavalry in the North. I will need them.”

The gatehouse tower was the biggest of the three remaining towers. It was squat and wide with some of its walls still being retained. Jon had to admit Moat Caillin was not very impressive but upon closer inspection he could see how impenetrable it was. The swamp surrounding it was impassable to anyone but the crannogmen . The causeway was defended from every direction by the three towers and any army would have to make a death charge through a waist deep muck and pass through the moats all while under fire by archers from all the towers. It's no wonder no southron force could breach its defences.

The gatehouse tower’s main hall had extremely black stone with a carved stone table. Robb was busy making the arrangements for the sixteen thousand strong army. Jon headed to Ser Arthur and his commanders.

“Make sure the men do not wander far off the causeway.” Jon said “The bogs here are death traps.”

“It will be done.” Ser Richard Lonmouth said.

The banners of House Stark flew proudly on the top of the gatehouse tower. The different banners of the North were also raised as Robb settled on the arrangements. The Whitefyre’s forces were to camp at the North of the gatehouse tower.

Roose Bolton came to Jon, a few days after they settled down. He came next to Jon, Jon never liked the man with his pale eyes that made Jon uneasy.

“Lord Whitefyre.” Roose Bolton said as he came next to Jon.

“Lord Bolton.” Jon responded kindly.

“I must congratulate you on your success as a new house.” Roose Bolton said.

“Thank you Lord Bolton.” Jon responded. 

“You sword, it's Dark Sister is it not? A Targaryen blade…” Roose Bolton mused “I wonder how you got that.”

“My wife’s great grand uncle, Aemon Targaryen gave it.” Jon responded coolly “To House Whitefyre.”

“Ah, the Maester at the wall.” Roose Bolton said “I wonder what Aegon the Conqueror would think of a bastard wielding his sister’s blade.” 

Jon clenched his teeth, the Bolton lord was trying to provoke him. “I do not care what he says, Lord Bolton. The blade is now House Whitefyre’s given by a member of House Targaryen.”

Lord Bolton smiled though Jon could sense no warmth in it “Of course, but—”

“Lord Bolton, Lord Whitefyre.” A messenger said as he came next to them. “Lord Stark requests your presence in the gatehouse tower’s hall.”

 

“Push through to riverrun! We must join Ser Edmure Tully against Stafford Lannister forces.” Robett Glover said.

“I agree with that,” Rickard Karstark said “If we join with the Tullys, we can easily smash the Lannisters.”

“Stafford Lannister? Tywin Lannister is the greater threat! We must march down the Kingsroad and give battle to Tywin Lannister.” Greatjon umber roared.

“By all reports, Tywin Lannister has more men than us, about twenty five to thirty thousand. Along with more armoured horses.” Jon interjected “The battle would not favour us.”

“We will catch him with our breechers down as these lions will melt before us. Numbers and horses will not matter.” The greatjon roared.

“Can we even reach Riverrun in time Lord Stark?” Roose Bolton said quietly though everyone listened when he talked. “It will take a week or two if we rush down south. Reports have indicated Ser Edmure is outnumbered by Stafford Lannister,we might be too late.”

“My lords,” A messenger interrupted,”Manderly banners have been spotted, the main force will reach here in a few hours time.”

“Finally the fat mermen have come.” Lord Hornwood said “We must continue marching, we don’t have the supplies to continue staying here.”

“How much longer can we stay here?” Galbert Glover asked.

“About a week before our supplies run critically low, there isn’t much food to be found around here.” Lord Flint said.

“We must march soon.” The greatjon boomed “Crush Tywin and the war is all but won.”

“We are unlikely to beat him, Tywin Lannister will never be caught with his pants down.” Jon’s uncle, Benjen replied. 

“Stafford Lannister is far more inexperienced, he will be an easier target.” Rickard Karstark said.

“They still outnumber us.” Lord Dustin said “Though we have a higher chance of catching him with his pants down.”

“The road to Riverrun will not be easy,” Ser Helman Tallhart said “The kingsroad will allow us to move faster.”

“Which will allow us to catch Tywin Lannister off guard.” The Greatjon said “We can crush him, these southerners are no match for Northerners.”

“Tywin Lannister is the main threat, killing him should be our priority.” Theon added on.

“While I agree with that Lord Umber, I would think that—” Lord Bolton said before he fell silent, his eyes looking up. Jon followed his eyes and found Catelyn Stark standing at the far end of the table.

“Mother?” Robb said, his voice filled with emotion. Silence filled the room.

“Your wolf has grown.” Catelyn Stark as as she stroked grey wind’s head gently

“Lady Catelyn,” Ser Helman Tallhart said as he stood up and walked over to her before pressing his brow to her hand. “You are fair as ever and a welcome sight in these troubled times.” Jon hid his grimace not to me.

The lords one by one came to her to pay her respects and Jon forced himself to do the same. Catelyn Stark’s face was cold as the wall when he pressed his brow to her hand. Theon was the last to do so.

“I had not expected to see you here Lady Catelyn.” Theon said.

“I had not thought to be here, until I came ashore at White Harbour. Lord Wyman told me that my son had called the banners. You know his sons, Ser Wendel and Ser Wylis.” Catelyn Stark said as the two Manderly stepped forward and bowed their heads. “And my uncle, Ser Bynden Tully who has left my sister for me.”

“The Blackfish.” Robb said “Thank you for joining us, we need men of your talent. And we are glad to have you here Ser Wendel and Ser Wylis. Is Ser Roderik here?”

“He is not, I have commanded him to hold Winterfell as castellan.” She replied.

“Have no fear,” the Greatjon boomed “We will shove our swords through Tywin Lannister bunghole soon and then free Ned from the Red Keep.”

Roose Bolton then spoke “My lady, we all heard you had taken Tyrion Lannister, Lord Tywin’s dwarf son as captive. Have you brought him to us? We should make use of him as a hostage.”

“I did hold Tyrion Lannister, but no longer.” Catelyn Stark admitted and the room burst into a chorus of consternation. Jon was surprised how? Was she convinced to release him?Or did Tyrion escape?

“I was no more pleased than you my lords. The gods saw fit to free him,with some help from my fool of a sister”. She said bitterly, Lysa Tully must have played a part…. Dozens of questions were raised but Catelyn Stark raised her hand.

“We have another hostage, an even more valuable one.” Catelyn Stark said “The Kingslayer is in Lord Whitefyre’s castle is it not?”

Jon gritted his teeth “Are you suggesting I clap my wife’s sworn sword who saved her life and served her faithfully for years in irons?”

“He is a Lannister.” Catelyn replied “And a valuable one. Do you care nothing for your father and sister?”

“I do.” Jon responded angrily “But I will not impiron Ser Jaime Lannister! He is innocent and had nothing to do with my father’s imprisonment. There is no honour in clapping him in irons!”

“Honour?” Lady Stark yelled “What do bastards know of honour? The Kingslayer has no honour! Clap him in irons as a hostage of House Stark!”

“Ser Jaime saved my wife from his father's men and broke ties with his father because of honour !” Jon replied angrily “I will not imprison an innocent man!”

“Enough!” Robb yelled suddenly , his voice stern and hard. Jon closed his mouth and Catelyn Stark withdrew slightly “Enough with this nonsense,we are not southerners to imprison people for no reason. I will not sink to the Lannisters level.”

“Robb…” Catelyn Stark said softly.

“My lords, could you leave us? I would like to speak with my mother alone.” Robb said. The lords nodded and bowed their heads and left. Jon did the same, leaving the hall,ignoring Lady Stark’s glare.

 

“I will split our forces into two, a force of twelve thousand, mostly infantry with some calvary will advance down the kingsroad to give battle to Tywin’s Lannister host.” Robb announced to the assembled lords.. “Lord Tywin will march North to engage this host. Another force, six thousand, mostly cavalry and archers will cross the green fork at the twins and head for Riverrun. A small force of archers will stay here.”

“The Twins?” The blackfish spoke up “That place is held by Walder Frey.”

“That man is a coward, he arrived late during the battle of the trident.”  Ser William Dustin said “It would be best not to trust him.”

“I will not,” Robb proclaimed , Jon had to admit the plan was a rather brilliant one. Allowing the Northern army to reach Riverrun relatively undetected. Yet it was incredibly risky, the Northern army facing Tywin Lannister would be outnumbered and face a force with more Cavalry and archers. “Lord Bolton will lead the infantry host and I will take command of the horse heading to Riverrun.”

“Thank you Lord Stark.” Lord Bolton said with a small bow.

The discussions on troop number continued well into the night. Plans were drawn up, commanders were assigned. The camps surrounding Moat Caillin were in a flurry of activity as tents were prepared to be taken down, swords were sharpened and horses saddled. When all was done and the lords went back to their armies, Robb came next to Jon and passed him a cup of ale.

“We really are going to war.” Robb said “God help me, I am not ready.”

“Neither am I.” Jon admitted, it terrified Jon that he would be riding to war. “I am afraid.”

“My mother told me I should have given the command to Uncle Benjen,” Robb took a large swig of his cup. “I couldn't,it just would not have been right.”

“I know.” Jon replied “That strategy of yours is rather brilliant.”

“I am condemning men to their deaths.” Robb said “Thousands will die.”

“Thousands will die whatever you do,” Jon said softly “It is war.”

“I know.” Robb replied “I must apologise for my mother’s words on Jaime Lannister. Though I must admit clapping him in irons will give us a good chance of freeing father.”

“I doubt so.” Jon replied “He had been disowned by his father and both of them do not like each other at all.”

“I see…but still.” Robb hesitated. “Never mind about it, I should go to bed soon, we are marching at dawn tomorrow.”

“Good night, Lord Robb.” Jon said with a smile.

Robb laughed “Don’t call me that! Good night Lord Whitefyre.”

 

Catelyn

Her son rode in the front, with the banner of House Stark flying in the air proudly. Catelyn did not want him here, in so much danger. She could have given the command to his uncle, Benjen, who was a Stark. Yet she knew it would not be right if he did that. Catelyn was proud of her son. He was so much like his father despite his Tully look. Robb had raised the North far faster than she thought possible, judging by how wide the North was.

Catelyn feared a lot these days. Her husband, for her daughters and sons. She never felt that any of them were safe. You must save your strength for Robb, he is the one, the only one you can help,  

Her uncle, the blackfish, took a hundred cavalry under him to screen the way. The reports that came in did not reassure her, Tywin Lannister was still to the south. Waldrer Frey had gathered an army of four thousand men at his castle. Damn him. Catelyn thought Walder Frey had not responded to her brother's calls to action and had sat at the Tywins.

“Four thousand men, he cannot fight Tywin Lannister alone.” Robb said, shaking his head. “Surely he means to join us?”

“Does he? Expect nothing from Walder Frey and you will not be surprised.” Catelyn told her son.

“He is your father’s bannermen.” Robb replied.

“Some men take their oaths seriously, others don’t.” Catelyn replied “One of his sons is married to Tywin Lannisters sister. That does not mean a lot considering how many sons he has but…”

“Do you think he means to betray us?” Lord Dustin asked. 

“I don’t know.” Catelyn replied “No one knows what’s going on in his head. He has an old man’s caution and a young man’s ambition.”

“The Twins must side with us.” Robb said “If we don’t, our plans are ruined.”

“Walder Frey knows that you need him too” Catelyn replied. 

The next day, as they slowly excited the swamps of the neck, her husband's bastard came riding up. Catelyn hated him for his seemingly close connections to the Lannisterd. He had refused to clap Jaime Lannister in chains and had even told Robb he believed Tyrion Lannister was innocent. I never bet against my family Tyrion Lannister had told her. Catelyn Stark forced down the thought. Lannisters lie, I must keep an eye on the bastard and see if he intends to betray Robb.

“We have scouted the green fork.” The bastard said, shaking his head “We have not found anywhere shallow enough for us to cross.”.

“Ser Brynden has engaged a few Lannister outriders too,under Ser Addam Marbrand.”  Ser Arthur Dayne said. “the Twins gates have been shut and the armies of House Frey shut inside.”

“I must have the Twins.” Her son said hotly.

Theon Greyjoy smiled “Take the castle by force, we outnumber them five to one.”

“And lost how many of our men greyjoy?” The bastard replied. 

“Jon’s right.” Robb said “There aren't enough trees or time either. If we do try and take it, Tywin Lannister can easily take us in the rear.”

 

After a few more days, they reached the twins, meeting up with her uncle’s outriders outside the Twins. The twenty thousand strong army gathered outside the twins. Her uncle came riding to her and her son. He was dressed in black leather and chainmail with a black Tully fish on his chest.

The blackfish had a grim face as he swung down from his horse “A battle happened under the walls of Riverrun. Stafford Lannister smashed Edmure’s host under the walls of Riverrun after he was hopelessly outnumbered. It was said that the Mountain cleaved a bloody path through the Tully lines. Edmure’s been captured and Lord Blackwood holds Riverrun which has been put under siege. The riverlords on their way to reinforce Edmure have fled back to their own holdfast.”

A cold hand gripped Catelyn heart. There can’t be worse news.

“Then we must get across the river if we are to hope of saving the castle.” Robb said angrily “Damn the man, what does he want?”

“That,” Catelyn said “We have to find out.”

The Twins is a ugly castle or rather, two ugly castles. They were joined together by a bridge which gave access to both sides of the green fork. The castle had high curtain walls and heavy oak and iron gates. The castle gates were shut and the battlements bristled with dozens of catapults and scorpions.

“See that greyjoy?” The bastard said looking at the castle “We will be lucky if we don’t lose more than half our men trying to take this.”

“That can not be assaulted, my lords.” Roose Bolton announced.

“Forget about sieging it too.” Lord Dustin said,shaking his head “There are two castles on both sides of the river.”

A dozen knights rode forward to confront the host, the banner of House Frey flew in the air, the twin towers, dark blue on a silvery grey field. The man leading them was Ser Stevron Frey,he was past sixty, with grandchildren of his own. The Frey’s looked like weasels and this man was no exception.

“My lord father has sent me to inquire who commands this mighty host.” Ser Stevron announced.

“I do.” Robb said, urging his horse forward.The Frey looked somewhat amused though when Grey Wind growled, his face changed to one of uneasiness. 

“My lord father would wish if you could share meat and mead with him.” Ser Stevron said “And share with him your purpose there.”

Instantly there was an uproar among the Northerners. There was lots of yelling, and no one approved.

“You must not do that.” Galbart Glover said “Lord Walder is about as trustable as Tywin Lannister.”

Roose Bolton nodded in agreement “Go there and you are at his mercy, he could sell you and by extension, us to Tywin Lannister or throw you in his dungeon or slit your throat.”

“Let him open his gates and we can all share his mead and meat.” Ser Wendel Manderly said.

“Robb, let him treat you in the open in plain sight of both our men.” The bastard said. “You will sign your life away if you step one foot into that castle.”

Catelyn Stark agreed with all of them, even the bastard. But one look at Ser Stevron and she knew it was only a moment before he spun around and left in anger. She had to act, and soon.

“I will go.” She declared.

“You?” The bastard asked incredulously, Catelyn felt her anger flare.

“Mother? Are you certain?” Robb asked.

“Never more.” She lied “I have known Walder Frey since I was a girl, he would not harm me.” Unless he gets some benefits from it. 

“I am certain our Lord father would be pleased to speak to you, Lady Catelyn.” Ser Stervron said “My brother, Ser Perwyn will stay to vouch for our good intentions.”

 

She found herself in front of Lord Walder Frey. An old,weasel looking man. With him were dozens of men and women. His daughters,sons, grandsons, granddaughters,bastards, grand-bastards. Her father had once said that Walder Frey created an army with his loins.

“Lord Walder, it is a pleasure to see you after so many years.” Catelyn said politely.

“Is it?” Walder Frey said “Spare me your sweet words, why are you here? Is your son too proud to face me?”

“Father, you forget your courtesies.” Stevron Frey reminded. 

“Lady Stark is a honoured guest.” Someone else said.

“Well, my bastard presumes to teach me courtesy?” Walder Frey sneered “Your mother was a farmer until I gave her my seed.” He gave a paper kiss to Catelyn’s hand. “There we go.”

“Lord Walder, is there a place we can talk?” Catelyn asked politely.

“We are talking now aren’t we?” He replied, amusement all over his face. He looked around before yelling “What are you staring at? Out!”

His sixteen year old wife, his dozens of sons, bastards, daughters, grandsons left the room. When she and Walder Frey were alone, he opened his mouth.

“Now, what do you want to say.” Walder Frey asked.

“We want to cross your bridge.” Catelyn replied.

“Ah,” Walder Frey smiled “To Riverrun?”

Catelyn hesitated, there was no point denying. “To Riverrun yes.”

The old man smirked “Of course, you would. I can still read a map. Why should I let you?”

“You are sworn to House Tully.” Catelyn replied coolly.

“Said some words.” Walder Frey shrugged “I also said words to the crown. By the law you and your brother are rebels. So, why should I let you? Your brother is in chains, Lannister forces besiege Riverrun while your father is dying inside and your husband held by the Lannisters.”

Catelyn Stark gritted her teeth “If you are fit enough to climb the battlements,you could see twenty thousand man outside.”

Walder Frey was unfazed, “They will twenty thousand corpses when Tywin Lannister gets here. Don’t try and frighten me Lady Catelyn. Your husband is incaptured by the Lannisyer, your son is a green boy trying to battle Tywin Lannister and your brother's forces are all but shattered. If I had any sense I would join with Tywin Lannister forces.”

“Then why haven’t you?” Catelyn replied.

“Tywin Lannister.” Walder Frey spat “To full of himself that man. All he cares about is his damn legacy, he thinks he is above us all. What makes him think he is so special, if he wants my help he can bloody well ask for it.”

Catelyn Stark seized that “That’s what I am here, Lord Frey, to ask for your help.”

“And why should I help? Your father has always mocked me? I offered him a daughter,he refused. I just wanted to get rid of her.” Walder Frey replied angrily. “Why can you offer now?”

The rest was only haggling.

 

Jon

It was evening when Catelyn Stark rode out of the twins main gate. Robb Stark rode out to greet her with his direwolf. When he arrived in the main tent, where all the lords were gathered. His face was grim but determined as he sat down in front of the Northern Lords. 

“Walder Frey terms are this:” Robb says slowly “In exchange for his army, some four thousand strong, less his four hundred he will keep here to defend it. Walder Frey requests that two of his sons will be fostered in Winterfell, his son, Olvar Frey is to be my squire. In addition, my sister, Arya is to marry his youngest son, Elmar when they come of age.” What? Arya would hate that. Jon could not imagine Arya marrying anyone, much less a Frey.

“In addition, I will take one of his daughters to wife after the war is over.” Robb said. Immediately, complaints were heard. The Northern lords were outraged. Jon was not happy either.

“Arya marrying a Frey? Walder Frey presumes too much!” Jon said angrily. Dozens of voices drowned out his.

“Enough!” Robb said, his face still impassive“I have chosen to accept it. There will be no discussion. Ready you men, my lords. We will ride now.”

Jon left with the rest of the Northern Lords. Arya, oh my little sister is to be betrothed to a Frey. Jon grimaced at the thought. He joined with his men and readied them. His forces were to go with Robb’s force across the Twins.

They rode as the sun hung low and the sky was blood red. The horned moon could be seen as he rode with his men across the river. Walder Frey watched them ride and Jon shot him an angry look. Jon rode with his men in the middle of his column with most of his calvary. Most of his infantry were sent with Roose Bolton forces down the kingsroad under Ser Arthur. Though about a hundred and fifty, a mix of light infantry came across the bridge. All of his archers were with him too.

When the army was fully across the river, they rode hard for Riverrun. Hundreds of banners flew in the air as they did. The Stark direwolf, the Glover's mailed fist, the Mormonts bear. The banners of House Whitefyre flew among them. The dice has been thrown.

As they rode hard south, Jon finally got the chance to speak to Robb. It was clear Ser Brynden Tully did not like him in the slightest. Catelyn Stark was worse and would look at Jon if he was a potential threat. Jon ignored all that as he spoke to Robb.

“Arya married to a Frey?” Jon said angrily “She would hate that.”

Robb sighed “I have no choice. Perhaps when the war is won, I can negotiate the betrothal to be broken.”

That continued to ride south, they soon encountered the remnants of Edmure  Tully’s host as they made their way south, House Mallister also joined their forces, allowing their forces to swell up too close to seven thousand men.

Ser Brynden Tully took three hundred riders to harass the Lannister’s camp about half a day ride from their position. Their objectives were simple:Kill the scouts and ravens the Lannisters have. While Ser Brynden Tully did not like Jon, he had to admit that he was a skilled commander. Ser Marq Piper began to attack Lannister supply lines with fifty men, slowly but surely damaging their forces.

“Ser Brynden, you will raid the Northern Lannister camp, draw the Lannister’s out.” Robb said to the gathered Northern Lords. “Take a few hundred men and carry the Tully banners. When the Lannisters come after you, retreat back towards here.” Robb pointed on the map to a forested valley near tumbletown. “Lord Karstark and Lord Whitefyre, you will be positioned in the North, when Ser Brynden comes, you will take the brunt of their attack.  Ser Stevron Frey, I will be with you on the western flank. Finally I want Lady Mormont, Lord Mallister and Lord Umber on the eastern flank. When the Lannisters enter the trap, Lady Mormont, you must sound the horns.”

“A good plan.” His uncle nodded.

“We are going to catch some Lannister’s lads!” Greatjon Umber yelled.

“It’s time to pay what they did to us back.” Lord Mallister said. Jon rather liked the Mallisters who were the most friendly to him out of the riverlords, no doubt because Jon had traded with them. Robb then nodded and dismissed them “Not you, Jon and Theon stay please.”

Robb seemed nervous after the Northern Lords left as Jon looked at him. Theon was grinning at some jape he only understood. “Oh gods.” Robb muttered “Tomorrow I could be dead, or captured. So many things could go wrong.”

“The plan will work.” Theon said with a small smile “It would.”

“I am not sure, what if the Lannister’s don’t take the bait? Or they do and the ambush fails?” Robb asked, his hand was shaking. 

Jon sat down next to him “Robb, calm down.” Jon said “I am nervous too, but we must stay strong for our father and sisters. You don’t need to let it cloud your judgment.”

Robb laughed “I hope it hasn’t. Thank you for your help.”

“We will crush the Lannister’s tomorrow.” Theon said with a smile.

“If it was so easy.” Robb said with a sigh.

 

Jon

The six thousand strong Northern Army moved into position. Jon had positioned his infantry to hide in the trees with Karstark infantry. About six hundred infantry held positions with shields, spears and swords. Behind them were his archers, almost two hundred strong including fifty men from the Ice Rain. Jon sat on his horse, waiting with bated breath for the horns to be blown. The banners were concealed among the trees. Arrows were nocked and the horses ready.

“Robb Stark’s plan is a good one.” Ser Richard said “The Lannister would not expect a Stark host here.”

Jon waited with Lord Karstark and his sons. Lord Karstark had three sons, Harrion, Eddard and Torrhen. Jon enjoyed their company though he spoke and japed little, he was far too nervous. It was said that the Mountain, Gregor Clegane was in this host. Jon knew that Gregor Clegane had been injured by his father and Ser Jaime during the sack of King’s Landing. He had been pardoned by Robert Baratheon for trying to kill his wife and her mother.

Jon waited with bated breath for hours on his horse. Dark Sister was on his hip, it felt like it belonged to Jon everytime he wore it. It isn’t your sword, it's a sword of House Targaryen and you are just a bastard.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the banners of House Tully were seen flying in the air. A few hundred horses rode towards them. In front was the Blackfish.

“Get ready,” Rickard Karstark announced.

“Nock arrows!” Jon commanded. His men knocked their bows. Swords were drawn,shields and spears lowered,the horses were readied. Jon's hands went to the pommel of Dark Sister and he gripped it tightly. Ghost stood up and seemed ready to charge .The blackfish and his men rode nearer to them. Jon then could see the Lannister banner flying in the distance, in front was a golden haired man.

The blackfish rode through their lines and he pulled up next to Jon and Lord Karstark. His face was full of sweat.

“Two thousand plus Lannisters, mostly calvary.” He said “Ser Daven Lannister leads them.”

The Lannister cavalry drew closer, chasing after the blackfish’s men who began to enter their line and turn around. The Lannisters looked completely oblivious to the trap as they rode through the Valley. They continued on riding hard towards their line. They were about five hundred yards when Jon ordered “Draw! Take Aim!” the bow men silently drew their bows and took aim at the incoming Lannisters.

“Loose when the horn is blown.” Rickard Karstark ordered.

The Lannisters continued to move forward as arrows were aimed at their horses. They were a few hundred yards away from their hidden spearmen when the horn was blown to Jon’s left. The trap has been sprung.

Immediately hundreds of arrows took flight from all around the Lannisters. They flew straight at them killing dozens of knights, freeriders and horses. Screams from both men and horses could be heard as the arrows found their mark.

“Knock! Draw! Loose!” Jon yelled and within less than a dozen seconds another flight of arrows were sent flying at the Lannisters. The effect was less devastating than the first volley as many of  the  Lannisters men had been able to get their shields up. Nevertheless , dozens of Lannister men fell.

“Calvary!” Rickard Karstark yelled “Charge!”

Roars of acknowledgement could be heard as the Karstark warhorn blew. Jon drew Dark Sister and urged his horse forward, Beside him a thousand horses charged alongside him, Ghost joined in with the charge  It felt  exhilarating as they surged forward. The banners of House Karstark and House Whitefyre flew as they charged forward towards the Lannisters. To his  right, Robb and the Frey’s began their charge.To his left the Mormonts, Mallisters and the Umbers began their charge. Everything is going according to plan. Arthur had once told him no plans could survive contact with the enemy. We shall see.

They smashed straight into the disorganised Lannister forces. A man wearing a crimson chainmail was the first victim of Dark Sister as Jon brought his sword through his stomach, his armour giving way to Valyrian steel. He yanked it out to block an attack from a knight wearing a purple unicorn. He swiftly retaliated and  buried the sword into his helm. The helm broke easily under Dark Sister and blood silt all over, Jon had no time to feel anything as another man came with a sword riding hard against Jon, he did not even get near before Ghost flew out of nowhere and knocked the man of his horse, the Karstarks and his Calvary cleaved a path through the disorganised Lannister men. Many Lannister men fell from their horse when Ghost came near them, causing many to simply throw off their riders. It seemed that the Lannister forces simply crumpled beneath their attack..

Jon picked his next target,  a man with a greens shield who managed to kill one of the Karstarks calvary.Jon moved in, attacking the man with Dark Sister, Jon went all out, he was not used to fighting on horseback but Dark Sister was no ordinary sword. It felt like it and his hands were one, swinging in perfect strokes as he blocked every one of the knights attack before moving in to counterattack. Valyrian Steel is so light. Jon  mused as he spotted an opening in the man’s defences, he moved his hands to slash and the sword cut through his plate Armour like butter, Blood flew from his wound as the men gave a scream of pain and fell from the horse. Jon continued on, pushing alongside Eddard and Torrhen Karstark and Ser Richard Lonmouth and a dozen warriors. The Lannister all but crumbled, some tried to flee only to be cut down by the archers. The infantry followed up and killed any survivors of the cavalry charges. It's a bloody slaughter. 

Evidently, Daven Lannister must have figured that out too. Because he started yelling something. Some of his men began to rally to him. It became clear what they were trying to do. A few dozen knights under Daven Lannister began to charge towards Robb. Among them was the mountain, his massive form easily recognisable.

Ser Helman Tallhart was the first person in their way though he did not stand very long before the Mountain killed him with a stroke of his greatsword. The Lannisters began their attack towards Robb. Jon spun his horse to his brother’s defense. The two Karstark brothers followed him to defend Robb. Jon rushed in on his horse, a knight wearing the sigil of House Westerling was the next to fall to Dark Sister. Another man with a hooded man as his sigil attempted to stop Jon from reaching Robb. Jon dodged his spear and stabbed him with Dark Sister in the neck. Blood splattered all over Jon’s armour. Jon advanced towards Robb to find Torrhen Karstark who had tried to fight off Gregor Clegane was off his horse. Blood flew into the air as the poor man’s waist was opened.  Jon moved in to stop the mountain.

Jon narrowly dodged the first swing from the Mountain before blocking the second strike. The swing was so strong it might well have knocked Dark Sister out of Jon’s hand, Jon barely held onto the blade. Jon tried to move in to counterattack but the Mountain blocked it. There was a loud ring as both swords collided. Jon quickly brought his sword up just as the mountain swung his sword again, Jon blocked the blow with his shield but the mountain’s mailed fist collided with Jon’s helm. 

Jon felt himself knocked off his horse followed by the sickening feeling of falling. Dark Sister flew out of his hands .He hit the ground with a groan of pain, he spat out blood from his mouth. His mouth was filled with the taste of blood as he struggled to stand. The mountain on his horse towered over him as his greatsword was raised. Jon then realised he had no weapons except a dagger on his belt. Every part of his body ached with pain and his vision was shaky, there was a loud ringing in his ears.

“Die,” The mountain ordered as his greatsword was about the strike Jon. Then, white blur crossed Jon’s vision, the Mountain was thrown off his horse as it screamed in pain. Ghost had bit the Mountain’s horse neck. Jon grabbed Dark Sister again, it was red with blood but not a single scratch was seen on it.

His vision began to clear and he steadied himself. The Mountain grabbed his greatsword once more and advanced on Jon. Around them, the carnage resumed, Eddard Karstark was fighting Tyrek Lannister. Jon saw Theon shooting arrows on his horse. He looked back at the Mountain and raised Dark Sister. Jon remembered how Jaime had described fighting the mountain all those years ago.

“It’s like fighting a giant, his thick plate armour makes him practically unkillable arrows and swords. There are weak points in his armour which I and Lord Stark exploited.” Jaime had said “The Mountain is huge and surprisingly fast for his size. But he is not agile at all.”

Jon gritted his teeth and moved to attack the Mountain, he tried to use his movement to avoid most of the Mountain’s strikes. The blows Dark Sister bore would have broken or at least bent more castle forged swords but Dark Sister did not even take a scratch. Jon managed to hit the Mountain with Dark Sister, the Valyrian steel sword punching through the plate armour. The Mountain retaliated with a powerful swing which Jon barely blocked, the impact forced him to stagger back which caused another hit from the Mountain’s fist to land on his stomach. Jon felt more blood enter his mouth. He gritted his teeth and gripped his sword harder.

“Die!” The Mountain yelled “You are a dead man.”

“You tried to kill my wife.” Jon replied as he spit out more blood. “You can try and kill me, but you will fail.”

Jon dodged one of the Mountain’s strikes and counter attacked. He feigned a thrust before swinging Dark Sister against his arms, he hit it with all the force he could muster causing blood to fly out from his arms. This enraged the Mountain who tried hitting back with a blow that would have cut Jon into two. Jon sidestepped the attack and swung at the Mountains’s legs. He was rewarded with blood flowing out of his wound. Jon barely dodged another of the Mountain’s punches and responded with a thrust which aimed at the Mounatin’s lungs. The sword barely went in before Jon had to retreat to block one of the Mountain’s blows. Jon stepped backwards, narrowly avoiding a swing which would have opened Jon from head to toe. Ghost came back and knocked the Mountain of balance.

“Fucking shit!” The Mountain yelled as he wrestled Ghost off, who jumped off to avoid one of the Mountain’s fists. Jon took the opportunity and went on the attack, the Mountain blocked two of his quick attacks but then Jon saw an opening and with all his strength thrust Dark Sister into the Mountain’s neck.

The Mountain stopped moving for a brief second before blood flew from his neck, some landing on Jon’s breastplate. The Mountain made a few gurgling noises before he collapsed onto the ground. Jon removed Dark Sister as he realised how numb his hands were. His head hurt badly and his mouth was full of blood. Cuts and small wounds were all over his body. His armour was scratched and some parts were broken. He spit out some blood and teeth as he knelt onto the ground as his legs gave way to exhaustion. Around him, the battle seemed to be at an end.

He heard a howl that must have been Grey Wind’s. Jon heard hooves. Ghost came beside Jon and licked his numb hands.

“Jon!” Robb shouted, his voice thick with worry “Are you alright?” 

“He took on the fucking Mountain!” The Greatjon roared “And won!”

“My lord,” His uncle said, “Lannister forces are in disarray, we have had no one escaping. Most of their forces have been either killed or captured. We will have the remaining men killed or captured soon—Jon! Are you alright?”

“I…” Jon said, too exhausted to speak properly. “Yeah,I’m fine.”

Robb dismounted and helped him up. Jon nearly fell as he did. “You saved me.” Robb said, gratitude and amazement clear in his voice. “He was riding straight for me and you stopped him.”

“Robb! We have captured Daven Lannister and a dozen other highborn. We also have Williem Lannister prisoners not to mention the dozens of other highborn men we captured..” Theon said, excitement clear in his voice. “What a victory this is!”

Robb helped him up to his horse. Jon was still in a daze, he was completely exhausted. Jon rode on his horse with Robb and many of the commanders at the gathered Northern lords and soldiers at the top of a high ridge. 

There he dismounted and nearly collapsed onto the ground as he attempted to sit down on a wooden stump. Daven Lannister was brought before Lady Stark. 

“Lady Stark,” Ser Daven said, blood running down his face. “Lord Stark.”

“What has your family done to my husband and daughter?” Lady Stark asked coldly.

“I do not know, my lady.” Ser Daven replied.

“Kill him!” Theon suggested eagerly “And be done with him.”

“No.” Robb said “He is more use alive than dead and my Lord father never condoned the murder of prisoner. Take him away, and make sure he is under strong guard. Lord Karstark would want his head.”

“That he would.” The Greatjon said.

“Why would Lord Karstark want him dead?” Catelyn Stark asked.

“He…killed Eddard Karstark.” Robb said,shaking his head. Jon then realised two of the Karstark brothers were dead. Lord Karstark would want vengeance.

“Torrhen Karstark is dead too.” Jon added as he stood up “Killed by the Mountain.”

“When Ser Daven realised the battle was lost, he tried to charge up against Lord Robb. He gathered his surviving calvary and the Mountain cut a blood path through our archers and pikemen.” Galbert Glover said, shaking his head. 

“If not for Lord Whitefyre slaying the beast that is the Mountain…” Maege Mormont shook her heD “Ser Daven may well have succeeded.”

Lady Catelyn regarded him with her eyes, though these eyes were not filled with anger, suspicion or coldness but gratitude. “Thank you Lord Whitefyre.” She said.Jon inclined his head. 

“What a battle that was!” Theon exclaimed “This is a battle to be remembered! Not since the fields of fire has there been such a resounding victory. We barely lost three hundred men and the Lannister strength doesn't exist anymore. So many of their men were slain! The Mountain is dead, Ser Garth Greenfield had his plate armour opened like butter. We have captured two Lannisters, Quenten Banefort, Tytos Brax, Regenard Estren, Cleos Frey,Tion Frey,Gawen Westerling. I nearly crossed swords with the Mountain—” Jon rolled his eyes, Theon would be a corpse now if he tried to go against the Mountain.

“Have you captured Tywin Lannister?” Catelyn asked.

“No but—”

“Until Tywin Lannister is in our hands or dead, the war will go on. We still have Riverrun.” Lady Catelyn said and Jon found himself agreeing.

“My mother is right.” Robb replied “We still have Riverrun. Ready your men my lords. We must ride soon before the Lannister’s know we are here.”

“How many men did we lose?” Jon asked Ser Richard.

“Twenty cavalry, a dozen archers and pikemen.” Ser Richard replied with a smile. “Well done Lord Whitefyre.”

Jon smiled back, Robb came next to Jon and patted him on the back. “Thank you Jon, I never knew you could fight like that!” He exclaimed as he offered Jon a wineskin. “What madness drove you to fight the Mountain? I owe you my life now.”

Jon shook his head “I…just wanted to protect you. It’s not only me you owe, Torrhen Karstark, Ser Helman Tallhart, Eddard Karstark….”

Robb looked at the ground “I know, I was so scared when I saw the Mountain coming after me. Ser Daven Lannister stabbed Eddard Karstark in the guts too. Dacey Mormont and Uncle Benjen came in time with half a dozen pikemen and knocked him off his horse and captured him. You fought the Mountain by yourself! No man I know can do that!”

“Dark Sister certainly helped.” Jon said with a small smile.

“You always could fight like that.” Robb stated “It’s just that you didn’t want to show it, is it not?” When Jon nodded, Robb sighed.

“I’m sorry Jon.” Robb said “I—,”

“Don’t apologise.” Jon gave Robb a smile “Don’t, your strategy was genius. Our path to Riverrun is clear now, thanks to you.”

Robb returned the smile “I suppose we better get going. The beast has been wounded, but it is still alive.Let’s change that”

A few hours later, some six thousand strong men rode for Riverrun, Robb in front. Robb’s strategy was simple. Divide the forces into two, Riverland forces, including surviving Tully forces, the Mallisters and Freys would be put under the Blackfish. Riverrun was a hard castle to attack owing to the fact that any attacking force would have to split their forces into three to siege the castle. The blackfish would strike the northern camp while Robb would lead an attack on the eastern siege camp. Jon was too exhausted with the duel with the mountain but nevertheless summoned enough energy to lead his men.

 

Catelyn

The battle of the camps as their men called it, was a blood affair. It was short and barely even lasted longer than the whispering woods. Her uncle had led the first attack, cutting through the unprepared Lannister forces, Stafford Lannister had not even bordered to set up basic defences and he seemed to be at a loss with his son missing.

Catelyn had watched hidden in the treeline with Hallis Mollen and a dozen guards as her uncle cut through the Lannister camp in the north.  It was a bloody slaughter as they did, barely any Lannister men could mount their horse, form a shield wall or even nock a bow before the Blackfish forces fell on them.

Lannister forces on the eastern side tried to ready rafts to aid their comrades, only the peppered with hundreds of arrows and scorpions from Riverrun. Then her son came, Grey wind and the bastard’s direwolf led the attack. They caused the horses to panic and throw the riders and chaos ensued. When a few hundred pikemen attempted to form a shield wall, the gates of Riverrun opened and a hundred rivermen cavalry led by Tytos Blackwood took them in the rear. The Northern cavalry the. sliced through the eastern side then, no resistance was met as they rampaged through the Lannisters. Archer rushed to the bank and sent arrows flying at men who tried to escape on rafts to the western camp.  Thousands of Lannister men fell for a hundred or so Northerners and Rivermen were lost.

The western camp had fled upon seeing Robb punch through the eastern camp. It had been a resounding victory. Thousands of Lannister men were killed or captured, their siege towers, catapults, scorpions and other siege equipment all captured. A Tyroshi sellsword and his freeriders switch sides and Andros Brax was killed when he tried to flee only to be hit by a dozen arrows from Whitefyre archers. 

Rivermen prisoners taken, including her brother, were freed. Celebrations could be heard throughout the night. Many of the Riverlords and rivermen thought they were all but shattered but her son came and smashed the Lannister host. The Lannisters had lost at least eight thousand men in a matter of days. Stafford Lannister had managed to escape much to their dismay however and Tywin Lannister was nowhere to be found.

Yet homecoming was far less welcoming than she had hoped for, her father was dying and the Maester had told her it would be a matter of weeks before the stranger took him. First Ned and her daughters were taken by the Lannisters, now her father lay dying as his lands burned. 

It's all your fault. A voice inside her head whispered If you haven’t taken the dwarf.  Catelyn forces such thoughts away. Her brother Edmure looked completely exhausted, his armour was bent and battered. Despite or perhaps because of it all, he did not smile, a rare thing.

The banners flew proudly above Riverrun. Dozens of them, North and the Riverlands combined. At least ten thousand men were in or gathered around Riverrun. Roose Bolton had managed to regroup the battered troops at the Kingsroad. They had lost thousands of men but the army was still intact. 

Theon Greyjoy was found regaling the tale of the whispering woods when Catelyn came across him.

“Theon,” she interrupted, “Where can I find my son?”

“In the godswood, my lady.”

It was what Ned would have done. He is his father’s son as much as mine. N The godswood was silent as a tomb. Dozens of men and women were there. Robb was beneath the weirwood tree, his longsword beside him. He was not alone, Daecy Mormont,Greatjon Umber, Rickard Karstark, Maege Mormont, Galbart and Robett Glover, Jon Whitefyre the bastard with his Valyrian steel sword next to him, Tytos Blackwood. These men keep the old gods. 

Robb got to his feet and sheathed his sword then. A few seconds later, the other men in the godwood also got up, following her son.

“Mother,” Robb said after seeing her “We have news from the south, there are things to be decided. A council must be called.”

“Your grandfather would like to see you, he is very sick.” She said.

“I know, Ser Edmure told me. I can’t, I’m sorry. There are urgent matters. The Lannisters have sent a messenger, they wish to sue for peace. ” 

 

Notes:

As you all can see, there isn't much canon divergence so far but with hints of one. Once more I'll really appreciate your feedback!