Actions

Work Header

Anne Shirley Cuthbert's Expectations

Summary:

Anne’s in college, still fighting for what’s right and navigating a new relationship with Gilbert. Meanwhile, Avonlea is trying to cope with the loss of their favourite red-head.
However, she finds that she can’t leave her past life and self behind entirely. She hasn’t forgotten Ka’kwet and she is determined to find a way to tell her story to the world. True to her own words, she will continue to fight for what’s right.
And, what does Anne’s new romance bring? Sure, Anne and Gilbert wouldn’t be themselves without some misunderstandings along the way and old habits threaten to put a strain on their relationship, especially given the distance between them.
Back in Avonlea, Matthew and Marilla are trying to adjust to a life without Anne by their sides. Marilla finds herself struggling to come to terms with the fact that her young girl is growing up.
Similarly, Bash finds himself in an entirely different Avonlea from the one he first arrived in. He’s still sore from the loss of Mary and now Gilbert has left him too. Can a budding friendship with Muriel put a smile on his face again?
An imagining of a season 4, which includes a mix of the old and new in all our favourite Anne with an E characters.

Notes:

Thanks to Niamh for writing the summary of this fic!

Fanfiction published from [05/19/2020]

Chapter 1: Everything is almost for the best

Chapter Text

It had been several hours since Anne had said goodbye to Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, she hoped whole heartedly, that the brother and sister were going to be fine without her, that they would be happy despite the distance.

The young redhead could not help but think also of Ka'kwet, what had become of her ... Was she still confined in this boarding school or rather this prison?

And then, a little to relieve her spirit and her heart, she thought of Gilbert, he was certainly far now, but the kisses they had been able to exchange a few hours earlier had still burned her lips.
She had just finished writing her letter, which would no doubt leave for Toronto tomorrow.

Anne was sitting in front of her mirror, she closed her envelope and then put it aside.
She was looking in the mirror when she saw Diana stir in her bed, and suddenly the half-asleep girl spoke, "Anne ... So, did you finally write your letter?" She mumbled in a slightly disillusioned tone.

Her friend who stared at her dared not answer her, "well ... it is that ... I am so sorry my dear Diana! Oh i-i- prevented you from sleeping with my nonsense!" She said worried.
The young brunette laughed, "Oh I understand you! Don't worry, I suspect you had a lot to say to Gilbert, hope this letter does not get lost too!"

Anne froze, her eyes almost popping out of her sockets, "My god Diana! Oh I didn't think for a second about this possibility! Considering the recent events, I could almost believe that our love is cursed! Tragical romance it's definitely not for me! I've given enough on this side! " she concludes panicked.

Diana got up from her bed and rushed towards her friend, she ran a hand through her friend's red hair.
"I really didn't want to panic you, it was just a joke in bad taste, forgive me, it's probably too early to laugh about it ... And then honestly, I don't see what other misunderstanding there could be have between you two. "

Anne looked up at her friend with an even more worried look than two minutes ago, "Oh Diana you still seem to ignore what a disaster I am ..."

Diana took her friend's hand and leaned towards her, "Look, I will accompany you tomorrow to post your letter and I will make sure that all precautions have been taken!"

The young redhead looked her friend in the eye, she was reassured, "I couldn't have a better friend!"

The two girls went to bed, one was soothed and the other said that she could finally sleep.