Actions

Work Header

E.N.G.A.G.E.M.E.N.T to M.A.R.R.I.E.D

Chapter 7: Yo,Ho,Ho and Bottle of Rum and Fine Dining

Summary:

It's Bachelor and Bachelorette party time! The Girls are in for the night for fine dining and trays of marvelous teas and scones. The boys are taking a trip down memory lane at the ruins, getting pretty cozy with a nice bottle of rum and games.

Notes:

Thank you for being patient with us, we know it has been a while since we have updated. Life has been hectic but we promise we did not abandon this story. We hope you enjoyed it! We will be back soon, take care!

Chapter Text

It had been a couple weeks after Anne and Gilbert's engagement party, and Josephine Barry and Cole Mackenzie were hard at work getting things ready for Anne's Bachelorette party. Aunt Josephine had been planning this since she heard about their engagement, and she wanted to make sure everything was perfect for Anne and her friends. Cole was busy arranging the decorations in the ballroom with the help and Josephine was helping the cooks prepare the food in the kitchen. "It's not every day our Anne gets married so we need to make sure this is absolutely perfect. I made sure Marilla knew to make some Plum Puffs and Currant Wine to bring, while we prepare the dinner feast." She thanked the cooks and walked to the ballroom to see how Cole was faring getting everything organized.

Cole was seen walking around the ballroom explaining to the decorators how he would like the floral arrangements to hang from the ceiling as if it was floating in the sky. The room was already decorated with all sorts of soft colorful sheer fabric draped along the walls and paintings of small butterflies along the wall as if it was flying. Courtesy of Cole of course. Tables set with the daintiest tea cups, ivory napkins wrapped in Robbins blue ribbon, plates ranging from different sizes, and the table covered in cloths just like those that were draped. The room looked as if someone stepped into nature's garden, it was the epitome of Anne and her love for the outdoors. Cole’s favorite was the gift he prepared for her, a box he had painted with all of their adventures and inside was little notes from all her friends to wish her the best for her new chapter.

 “How is everything Cole? Is it all you wanted it to look like for our Anne?” Aunt Josephine asked standing next to Cole admiring his work.

 “I think Anne will absolutely love it.”


Meanwhile, back in Avonlea Bash, Jerry, Moody, Fred and Roy were preparing the beach for Gilbert's Bachelor party. Bash had done most of the planning, and was mostly instructing the men on what to do next and where to set things. They were going to have a bonfire as it got dark and a music circle, while playing some drinking games. Bash wasn't much of a drinker, but he figured that this is what people do at bachelor parties and he wanted Gilbert to have the best one. Bash instructed Jerry and Moody to gather the wood up and place it in a pile by where they had the food and drinks. Fred and Roy were gathering sand dollars and other shells to lay on the rocks, around the bonfire. Once they had gotten the wood piled high, they began to set up the blankets, food and drinks. Bash had also brought his poker cards, he wasn't sure if they even knew how to play, but what better time to learn?

As the two parties were being prepared by the couple’s friends and family. The two had taken the time to watch Delly together. “You know the boys are planning something for you right?” Anne tells Gilbert, who is coloring with Delphine on the table. 

“Oh, how could I not notice with Bash being giggly the whole time when he said he had to go out today to go run some errands, then I saw through the window Roy punched Jerry on the shoulder and Fred was laughing at the two. While Bash was trying to shut them up. They are not exactly discreet.” Gilbert continues to color in what Delly called a magic pig or in this case a unicorn mixed with a pig. As she explained to him. Anne was across from the two admiring their art work and taking her own take on a drawing. Delly insisted she’d draw a princess and a castle.

 “I bet there’s no doubt you have something for you too, carrots. Aren’t you supposed to be leaving soon for Aunt Jo’s?” He asks looking up at her, she’s still focused on her drawing, biting her lip like all those times when she is in full concentration.

 “Mhm, but I’ll miss you and my little princess here terribly.” Anne boops Delly’s nose and kisses her cheeks. 

Delly squealed and hugged her auntie Anne close. Hazel walked in the door a few short minutes later and shooed them away saying that she will take care of Delly so that they can get ready. Anne turned to Gilbert and gave him a kiss before saying goodbye to Hazel and Delly.

 "Don't have too much fun tonight Gil," She said with a sparkle in her eye. "We all know how you are unsupervised." She said teasingly.

 He laughed and said, "My dear Anne, I do recall a couple years ago you were saying you were a pirate? And that was after just a couple hours! This is a whole night we are talking about this time!" Anne's cheeks flushed at the memory; she has never been able to handle alcohol very well. 

She kissed his cheek and said on her way out, "Don't worry Gil, please have fun tonight and only worry about yourself! It's your night too after all!" Gilbert nodded to her smiling, but he felt like that would be easier said than done.


Anne knocks on the marvelous door to Aunt Jo’s house, Diana in tow. The girls will be meeting them soon. Rollings opens the door with his usual polite demeanor, the girls step in only to be greeted by Cole running up to them and Aunt Jo coming from behind. 

“You made it, how’s our bride to be?” Cole asks and Anne blushes.

 “Elated, ecstatic, excited there’s only so many words that can describe how I am feeling. Can’t believe I’m getting married soon!” She squeals and they all jump a bit from the excitement.

 “Well come on, go drop off your things and I laid some things in your room before we get this party started.” Cole winks and has Anne and Diana go upstairs not before they each greet aunt Jo with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

 As she opens her door there she sees what is laid out for her. The dress was a light green with a lower neckline, and shorter sleeves with lace on the ends of them. The dress had a long train, and Anne gasped when she saw that Diana had one just like it. 

Cole came into the room behind them and said, "I am going to go change now, but Aunt Jo will be up to help you both with your hair. I am wearing a light green tie to match your dresses and Aunt Jo has a light green bodice that matches as well. We thought it would be even better if we all matched." He said, hugging Anne one more time before walking out. Anne and Diana dressed in their matching dresses and when Aunt Jo came in, they both hugged her tightly. 

"Aunt Jo, you are the sweetest! Thank you so much for buying matching dresses for us." Anne said tenderly.

 Diana thanked her aunt as well and Josephine smiled brightly. "This is a very special occasion, I wanted to make sure you ladies remembered it forever." 

She went over to the vanity and said, "Now Diana, your lovely black hair would look absolutely stunning pulled up, as well as your lovely red hair Anne."

 Anne touched her hair absentmindedly, "Oh what a worry my red hair used to be." She said laughing lightly.

 "I now know there are far greater things to concern myself with than that."

 Diana and Aunt Jo laughed, and motioned for Anne to sit at the vanity first. Aunt Jo began to work her magic on both of the ladies; they had a wonderful time catching up and gossiping about the latest news in Charlottetown and Avonlea.


Meanwhile back at Avonlea the boys were all gathered at the Blythe-Lacroix home trying to gather the soon to be groom. He was in his room laying on his bed reading one of his new medical books, hair disheveled and nose stuck in the book. 

“Incoming!” Fred runs,jumping on the bed landing on Gilbert.

 “Fred what the actual hell are you doing get off!” Gilbert strains trying to usher him off. “Aww you guys are having a cuddle session without me,no fair.”

 “No Roy, no, no'' Roy starts running and landing on both boys hugging them both. 

“Aww well isn’t this cute. Scoot over.” It’s Jerry's turn to join them.

 “Boys, boys I’m the one that should be next to Gilbert. I’m his favorite.” Moody goes right on the other side of Gilbert. 

Now all on Gilbert’s bed. Fred laying next to Gilbert, Roy laid across them and Jerry right next to him. 

“I can see why Anne likes to cuddle you, you’re very snugly Blythe.” Roy pats his stomach. 

“You guys are all idiots you know that right.” All the boys laugh in response. 

“Oi, Blythe it’s time to go.. oh am I interrupting something.” Bash comes standing at the entrance of his room, smirking.

 “ Yes, yes you are in fact. Now leave.” Fred says shooing Bash with his hands. 

“Come on boys time to go and show Blythe what it’s like to have a good time. It’s boys night.” Bash says and leaves. The boys get up and drag Gilbert, and so it’s the start of a long night.


"Oh my!" Ruby and Jane shrieked as they entered Aunt Josephine's house later that evening before the party started. 

"This is the MOST lovely house I have ever seen!" Ruby said, as Rollings took their coats.

 "I knew that Diana's family was rich, but I never thought they were this rich!" Jane whispered shrilly in Ruby's ear. 

"Ladies, if we are done gawking, shouldn't we find the bride to be?" Asked Josie with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

 "You two are so embarrassing. Besides, this isn't the most grand house I have ever seen." Jane and Ruby rolled their eyes behind Josie's back, she always had to one up everyone, that had not changed after all these years. 

As a maid led them into the ballroom, they saw Anne, Cole and Diana gathered around an elegant pianist who was playing a soft song. They had handed off their gifts to another maid, who had set them on the gift table, and they walked over to where their three friends were standing. 

"Anne! You look absolutely ravishing in that dress!" Jane complimented her friend kindly. "Too bad Gilbert won't be here to see you in it." Jane said, winking at her friend. 

Anne's ears turned pink at that, and she said, "Thank you Jane, you all look so lovely as well!" 

They all embraced and stood around listening as the pianist finished the song. Diana whispered to the group of friends; "She is going to play until all the guests get here, as a peaceful way to usher everyone into the ballroom!" Ruby sighed and Josie just stared at the pianist.

 "She is amazing!" Josie breathed. They all nodded in agreement and turned their undivided attention back to her until the next guest arrived


Back in Avonlea, the boys had dragged Gilbert to the very spot he remembered vividly to this day. The ruins, the place where he saw Anne dance among the stars and the light from the fire reflecting among her auburn hair. This is where he knew, he had fallen in love with her.

 “Come on Gilbert, let's have some fun shall we, just like old times. Who knows, maybe you can recreate that night at the bar.” Fred puts his shoulder around him and brings him over to one of the logs surrounded by an already lit fire. 

“Is it bad that I want to see a drunk Gilbert?” Roy asks the boys around him, passing around what seemed to be cups filled with whiskey.

 “Oh no, Blythe here can barely handle his liquor.” Bash exclaims, remembering the time he threw up after taking a shot of the hard liquor. 

“Says you, you’re the one that ended up in a laundry basket drunk.” Gilbert shots back at his brother.

 “Oh, but you see at least I had the balls to tell the woman I love, how I felt. I even asked her to marry me.” All the boys whistled and gave Bash high fives.

 “He’s not wrong Gilbert.” Moody admits. 

“This just gave me an idea, fellas every time Gilly boy mentions Anne we take a drink, but we must all shout out moke.” Jerry explains his brilliant plan to the boys and Fred starts jumping up and down like a kid who just got told he can buy whatever he wants at the candy store.

 He shouts, “My boy! Jerry this is why we have a connection. What do you say Blythe? You think you can go a night without mentioning your beloved at every sentence?” 

Gilbert stands up extending his arm out, cup in hand and says. “First of all, I know I am a moke. I’ve been in love with this girl since the moment I laid my eyes on her. So boys prepared to get drunk.”

 Gilbert then takes a drink and all the boys scream out “Moke”. 


Meanwhile at Aunt Josephine’s house, Anne was downing a glass of the Currant Wine Marilla had made. Diana eyed her friend and asked, “Are you alright Queen Anne?” 

Anne nods as she drinks the last sip of the wine and says, “Oh I am quite fine dear. 

Tonight is going to be wonderful. But I must admit that my anxiety is getting the better of me. What if I am not equal to the task of being Gilbert’s wife?” She said, faster as the sentence went on. 

Diana grabbed her friends hand and squeezed it tightly. “Anne dear, you have no reason to be worried. You are going to make a wonderful wife, and Gilbert couldn’t be happier.

” Anne tried to calm the butterflies in her stomach, but the wine had already started to kick in and she felt even more sick. Before she could ponder anymore, Aunt Jo raised her glass and said, “Tonight we celebrate our wonderful Anne-girl. She is bright, caring and sweet. She has overcome so much and is so worthy of everything she has accomplished. On behalf of everyone here, I want to say congratulations to you my dear. We wish you both all of the happiness in the world.” She paused for a quick second and smiled at Anne.

 “To Anne Shirley-Cuthbert the bride to be!” 

Everyone cheered and said, “To the bride to be!” And sipped the Currant Wine.

 “Now while I have all of your attention,” she paused taking another sip of wine. “It is time for dinner, so let us proceed to the dining room!” 

The group of ladies followed Rollings into the dining room and took their seats with Aunt Jo at one end of the table and Anne at the other. It was an exquisite dinner of potatoes, fine cheeses and breads; fresh fruit and vegetables; pea soup and a roast to follow. By the time the hour and a half meal was up, everyone was full and much more quiet, the food and wine settling in their stomachs.

 Marilla took this as an opportunity to address the group;“Now, once our food settles we will play a few games, followed by cake and gifts. At the end of the night we have a special surprise planned,” she paused and eyed the group.

 “So perhaps let’s take it easy on the Currant Wine, hm?” The ladies laughed in agreement, and some jumped up walking to the ballroom, quite ready for the games.


“You cheated! There is no way that I can believe this buffoon here actually had the highest pair.” Jerry shouts at Fred.

 The boys are all sitting on the blankets with the scraps of sandwiches, and candy melt wrappers scattered around them. They all decided to try to play a game of poker, Bash’s idea but that may have backfired as a couple of drinks in, all can feel the liquor start to take effect on them. The fire was still brightly lit, the boys' cheeks and ears red from the heat and their jackets laid about on the floor. 

“ Shh, Jer Bear we are connected, remember, we’re like brothers. So get over it and accept defeat looser.” Fred pipes up and sticks his tongue out. 

“You guys are such babies, you know that and this is why I am Gilbert’s favorite.” Moody nudges Gilbert who has been talking with Bash, unattended to the game and what was happening. 

“I’m sorry, what? Who’s my favorite from all of you? That's simple it depends on the day. You all annoy me just at different times. But I do love you guys.” He grins a big goofy smile.

 “ Aww, Blythe. You’re just a big giant mush ball when you're drunk.” Roy goes and squishes Gilbert’s cheeks, talking in baby tones.

  “You guys are funny, it’s cute you think he doesn’t have a favorite. It’s simple, it’s me. I’m sorry boys but who is the best man here? That’s right, me!” Bash points at himself and shrugs at the boys.

 “Ahh, you know who is cute?” Gilbert proceeds to say. “Oh no here he goes, Gilbert I swear if my liver drinks anymore, I don’t think I will be able to function.” Fred complains, giving up and laying on the ground.

 The other boys following him, now all staring at the stars above them. Their shadows bouncing against the ground, the crickets and brushing of leaves heard.

 “Shut it Fred, I’m a doctor we can handle this tomorrow. Now as I was saying, you know who is cute..” “ANNE” All the boys groan.

 “Yes, boys that is correct, look at the stars, doesn’t it remind you of her cute little freckles that cover her nose, each one that I just want to make a special wish upon. He explains, his smile even wider. 

“Blythe you are really going to be the death of us, shall we boys.” Moody grabs the bottle of whiskey, all holding their cups out for him to pour the contents in. Except for Gilbert who just grabs the bottle who then tips it towards the boys and shouts

 “MOKE”. All groaning after taking a drink.


Marilla held up her hands to try and silence the group of ladies. It had been a wild night, filled with parlor games and drinking games; much to Marilla’s distaste. 

“Ladies, ladies! I know that the last game of cards was a bit challenging and competitive, so let’s move on to the gifts and cake! Come over to the cake table and we will eat some cake while Anne opens her gifts.” 

The group of ladies hurriedly made their way towards the cake table, Anne and Diana last of the group, taking their seats at the front of the ballroom, so Diana could keep track of the gifts received and from whom. Anne hadn’t even taken one bite when Marilla brought over the first gift. She stuffed the first bite in her mouth and tried not to smile at Marilla with her mouth full of cake. Diana let out a little giggle next to her, and took out her ink bottle and pen.

The first gift was from Josie and it was a sheer, lacy number, which Anne had to restrain herself from blushing. The wine was not helping. 

The card read, “To Anne, Love Josie. Congratulations Anne! I couldn’t be more happy for you. I know how old fashioned Marilla is so I thought you could do with some help. And I think Gilbert will enjoy this one too.” Anne looked up at Josie and thanked her, her ears hot. 

The next gift was from Ruby and it was homemade doilies and dish clothes. She knew Anne didn’t have a dowry of her own and wanted to add to Marilla’s to give it a bit of Anne-flare. 

“To Anne, much love Ruby. I’m so happy for you my dear Anne! Oh it seems forever ago we were in school together and studying for Queens. I am so happy to see where this next adventure takes you, and I know you are going to make the most wonderful wife.” Anne thanked Ruby and took the next gift.

 Jane and Tillie made theirs together and it was a lovely lacy tablecloth, with an embroidery of the White Way of Delight on it, as well as a brand new tea set.

 “Dearest Anne, we know how much this place means to you, so we wanted to make sure you took a piece of it with you wherever you went. The tea set is one that we bought when we were in Carmody last, from the most lovely and modern tea shop! We hope you love it and these things make your house a home. Love Tillie and Jane.” Anne thanked them warmly and took the next gift from Marilla. 


As the girls were back in Charlottetown, in the ruins can be heard the sound of boys screaming and laughing with one another. The card games long forgotten, the bottle of whiskey empty, the fire still roared to life but slowly dimming. The boys sitting around the fire, trying to stay upward as the alcohol had taken its full effect on them.

 “Blythe, I don’t want to get all sappy but I just want you to know that we all decided to pitch in and get you a little something.” Moody mentions grabbing a wooden box from the endless bags laid on the floor. 

It’s a miracle they even remembered where the gift was in the first place. Moody gives Gilbert the wooden box and waits for him to open it. With steady hands, well as steady as one can be after the countless cups of whiskey he opens it to see a wrist watch, with a dark leather band and the watch itself encased in silver. 

“Turn it around.” Roy tells him and he does, there on the small flat surface is the initial G.B.

 “Guys, you didn’t have to do that. But thank you, I mean it.” Gilbert exclaims looking up at the guys smiling.

 “Now, you can look, extra professional doctor Blythe.” Bash teases him, nudging him a bit.

 “That and he can count the minutes and seconds until he gets home to see his wife. We all know you Gilbert, once that clock strikes the end of the work day you’re running to her and going straight to the bedroom.” Fred teases Gilbert, winking at him and all the boys laugh and whistle.  Except for Jerry and Bash.

“Gross, please don’t say things like that when I’m here especially about Anne” Jerry pipes up, taking another drink of the liquor. 

“Yea here, here. I love you brother but I don’t need to be knowing all the funny business, but I do know Delphine would love a baby cousin.” Bash taunts Gilbert who stopped mid drink, coughing as the liquid made its way down the wrong pipe.

 “Relax, Blythe. You can breathe, we're all just messing around. Just tell your swimmers to chill and baby Blythe can come at a later date.” Roy says, wrapping his arm around Gilbert's shoulders,  with a drink in one hand.

 “Like that will happen, do you see them together, they can barely even keep away from one another as it is. Let alone this dude, all he does is make goo goo eyes and the tension is so thick you can feel it slap you in the face. No, I dare say baby Blythe will be coming soon, besides Gilbert is competitive and freaking persistent. Who's to say his swimmers aren't.” Fred joins Roy wrapping his arm on the opposite side of Gilbert. Gilbert is more red than ever, and he suddenly feels really warm. 

“Can we please not talk about this right now. Yes, I would love a baby Blythe but that is between me and Anne. Do I want a little red headed baby running around the house? Yes, of course and do I want a daughter that has freckles like her mother and eyes that make it look like the ocean or…” Gilbert goes on a complete tangent getting lost in thought.

 “Aww, see what you did! Now he’s going to keep on going. You idiot!” Jerry shoves Fred.

 “Shut up Jerry” who then shoves Jerry back.

 “Mary give us strength” Bash says up to the night sky. The chorus of shouts and laughing still echoing in the trees.


Once all of the gifts were handed out, most of the guests made their way home slowly. Everyone wanted to congratulate Anne and make sure she felt loved and seen. Marilla and Rachel were staying the night, along with Diana, Ruby, Jane, Josie and Tillie. Marilla and Rachel said their good nights early and decided to take advantage of the amenities at Aunt Jo’s. They were both drawn hot baths and they had tea and scones brought up as they sewed by the firelight.

 “This is the life isn’t it?” Rachel asked Marilla, as she has her feet resting on the ottoman in front of them, her eyes slowly closing more and more by the minute. 

Marilla smiled as she saw that her friend was slowly falling asleep and said, “This is quite nice, but I must admit, I miss Green Gables and the solace it brings.”

 Rachel didn’t reply to Marilla as the next second, she heard a snore from Rachel. Marilla chuckled and brought her sewing back to her room with her, shutting out the lights behind her and covering Rachel with a blanket.


The boys were all passed out on the floor, the fire dying down and the night even darker than before. Gilbert woke up and took a moment to take in the sight, the boys were stirring, Fred and Jerry were cuddling and if he could he would taken a picture of it. Cole and Roy were laid on top of one another, Moody and his arms wrapped up with the bottle or Rum and Bash laid on his stomach, his head supported by his arms underneath. It was a long night and Gilbert could say he enjoyed himself, so much more than he thought he would have had. He didn’t want it to end, he wanted to keep this moment for a while. Yet, his Anne was coming home in a few hours and he missed her terribly. So, he did what he had to do.

 “Wakey wakey boys, I want my bed and I know you guys don’t want to be out here getting eaten by mosquitoes. So let’s wrap this party up and you guys can cuddle at your homes.” Gilbert screamed out, waking all of his friends up.

 “Gilbert shut up, shut up, I am going to strangle you if you don't keep your voice down.” Fred angrily whispers.

“Let’s go guys I miss Ruby.” Moody whines and starts to grab the blankets the boys follow in tow. 

“ Thanks for the night guys,I had fun.”

“ We will always be here for you Gil, always.” Bash and the others boys pat his back, all walking back to their homes where they can sleep blissfully until the morning.