Actions

Work Header

Who We Are Meant To Be

Summary:

Tom Marvolo Riddle decided to take a different approach to his ambitions and makes the world a better place.

Severina Snape grows up relatively happier and healthier because of Tom Riddle’s scholarship program for half-bloods. She at least has Hogwarts and friends who love her. Her life is full of hope and bright future possibilities.

There’s just one thing she has to do first: thank Mr. Riddle for all he’s done for her, even if he didn’t realize how much he significantly improved her life.

What she doesn’t realize is how she might be the very thing he’s been missing in his own life.

Notes:

This story is long overdue. Dedicated to all my lovely “Love in the Dark” readers and gifted to those of you who left comments. Thank you so much!

This is a spin-off, extended version of Severina’s dream/vision in chapters 16 and 17 of “Love in the Dark.”

Chapter Text

The dusking sky filtered through the hazy English fog, blanketing a little village that sat comfortably between two steep hills. Through the fog, the fading light revealed only a church on one side of the valley and on the opposite hillside, a manor house. The manor overlooked the village and was by far the most beautiful sight in all of Little Hangleton and the largest and grandest building for miles around.

At the edge of the estate, hidden by fog and shadows, a man appeared, seemingly out of nowhere. He stretched, rolled his shoulders, and took a deep breath through his nose. He sighed out, “Ah, England.”

Upon entering the house, with a wave of his hand rather than a physical pull on the door, a small pop noise greeted him and a pretty-little house-elf smiled broadly,

“Master Riddle’s is being home!” and she clapped her tiny little hands together.

The man sighed, “So it would seem. How are you Wispy?” So-called for being one of few house-elves to have hair enough to form a tuff of wispy hair on the top of her head.

“Oh, Wispy is being much better now Master is being home.”

“That is lovely to hear,’ Mr. Riddle answered politely as he handed the elf his overcoat. ‘You may bring tea to my study along with any mail that came today. If it came before today, burn it. Anything essential would have been redirected anyway.”

“Yes, Master, Wispy is doing just as Master asks.” And she disappeared with another soft pop.

Tom Marvolo Riddle walked through his large and near-empty manor house. When he reached the other side of the manor, he opened a door to the outside, leading to a garden, and beyond the garden, an orchard, and beyond that a little wood. He called out into the night, his tongue, lips, and teeth moving strangely to make a series of hissing sounds. He leaned against the door, fatigued, yet waiting patiently in the cooling air.

A quickening whisper of movement along the grass, neared and distinctive hissing came from something hidden under the misty fog. The open door illuminated a small patch of light outside but did nothing to reveal the enormity of the snake until its head nearly took up all the light.

Once the entire body of the snake entered the house, which took a minute or two and all the while the man and the snake hissed back and forth to one another, he closed the door and proceeded to his study, the snake slithered at his side. His tea and his letters waited for him.

He took up his tea and scanned the first letter from Orion Black,

You should know, your plans to return to Britain was somehow leaked to the Profit.

Great. Just what he needed.

The second, from Abraxas Malfoy with thinly veiled prodding as to whether or not he was finally going to run for Minister of Magic this term. Tom suspected Malfoy was the one to leak his return to The Daily Profit. Likely hoping to pressure him into furthering his political career which would ultimately help further Lucius’s career in the Ministry.

The third, from Albus Dumbledore, asking if he’d like to take a break from traveling and from politics and teach DADA this coming school year. He also added an invitation for a game of Wizard’s chess nondependent on his choice of teaching.

The last letter was from Mrs. Crawley, his kindly aging social secretary. She was efficient and he appreciated that but she did only what she was told and had little individual initiative. If he forgot to expressly state which engagements he did not want to be scheduled, he’d find himself roped into meeting, dates, and events that he would have preferred not to attend.

He barely had time to scan the list of engagements scheduled on his return to Britain when he realized he was already running late for his first. A dinner date with Miss Stella Leroy.

He groaned.

Malfoy and Nott were adamant that he should get married before running for Minister of Magic and kept slipping dinner dates into his itineraries. He really would stop this nonsense soon.

With any luck, it wouldn’t be a complete disaster.

———

It had been a complete disaster.

A fact he was trying hard not to reflect upon, the next day as he walked through Diagon Alley, on his way to tea with Orion Black. The shops were crowded and he was stopped several times by various people who he may have met at some point or who read about him somewhere. He tried half-heartedly to listen but mostly smiled and nodded, answering questions about his political career and his personal life with “Well, I’ve only just returned to Britain, so we shall see.”

He was stopped by a Daily Profit reporter and he answered questions vaguely, diplomatically and smiled for the camera. The attention didn’t bother him as much as one might expect. If he were perfectly honest with himself, he rather enjoyed the attention. He might be having a bad day but that was no excuse to give the papers a bad picture, now was it? Not after working so hard to gain popularity with the public over the years.

With all the delays on the way, he was surprised that he arrived at Rosa’s Tea House before Orion. He took a seat at a table for two and ordered a tea service.

He was still, rather disturbed by last night’s events. Miss Leroy was an attractive enough witch. Though it was quickly evident that they had little in common. She flattered him and tried her best to be alluring. Tom had bored quickly, which was not an uncommon occurrence for him. He had to excuse himself to the loo just to break the monotony of small talk with such an uninteresting dinner guest. When he got back, she had…

Orion Black’s hand on his shoulder broke his recollections.

“Tom! I hope I haven’t kept you waiting long.” Orion smiled widely.

Tom stood to grip his friend’s shoulder and shake his hand with genuine warmth, “Not at all, Orion, I was glad for a moment to myself, honestly.”

“Oh? Should I leave?” Orion chuckled.

“Not at all, old friend, I only meant… The Profit is hounding me about running for Minister of Magic not to mention Malfoy and Nott as well, and each time I’m in Britain, it seems that I’m set up with another quote-unquote eligible witch. Who, I might add, just keep getting younger.”

“You make it sound like a bad thing.”

“It absolutely is.”

“So, who was she?”

“Leroy’s niece, Stella. She tried to slip me a love potion half-way through dinner.”

Orion Black laughed so hard that the whole of the café turned to look at him. Mr. Riddle just shook his head and with a smirk, calmly sipped his tea.

After Orion regained control and sobering he sighed, “Which reminds me. Walburga delayed me coming here, she impressed upon me that our nieces are yet unmarried. Very beautiful young ladies, all.”

Mr. Riddle snorted, “Are they at least out of Hogwarts?”

“Two of them… The youngest will be graduating after this school year.”

Mr. Riddle shook his head, "I don't know that I'll marry at all."

“Won’t do you any favors politically,” Orion said.

“It could.” He said with a shrug, “Just tell the public that I’m married to my job. If Malfoy and Nott are hoping to make a romantic hero of me, I could paint myself as the hero for Wizarding Britain. So committed to the good of all, that I have no room for anything else,’

Tom pauses to sigh and shake his head, “Besides, I don’t think I have the stomach for a purely political marriage or some convenient arrangement. Not anymore. These witches, all of them, even since school, none of them really want me. I can’t explain it. It’s just something in their eyes. It's only getting worse. These witches want Tom Riddle the curse breaker or Tom Riddle the politician, the next Minister for Magic, the philanthropist, the heir of Slytherin. They don't want me.’

“I want someone whose greatest ambition is more than to marry well. I want someone with her own mind. Someone I can talk with, make plans for the future with. Someone who doesn’t just laugh politely at my jokes but actually gets them. It’d be really nice if she made me laugh too. Someone, to grow with you know? Not just an ornament on my arm or someone to smile prettily for the cameras. I can do that on my own,” he chuckled.

Orion considered his friend a moment before smirking, “I didn’t realize you were such a romantic.”

“It isn’t really that,' Tom huffed leaning back in his chair, “I don’t know that I need some great romance. I just want someone I can trust. I wouldn’t say no to love, though.' He looked up at his friend seriously, 'If you had a choice, rather than being married off, would you have picked Walburga for yourself?' He ran a hand down his face, 'Sorry, I crossed a line.”

“No, it’s okay.' Orion sighed, 'Walburga and I have had our problems, especially at the beginning, but we are working on it.”

“I know. You’re a better man than I. I don’t want to have to work on my marriage, I have enough work as it is.” A clock chimed and Tom glance at it, “Speaking of which, I have a meeting with one of my scholarship students. That’s another thing to add to the list, someone who isn’t always looking to scrape a little more out of me. It’d be nice to have a witch who gave as good as she got.” He chuckled and winked at Orion.

They rose together and embraced once more.

“I hope you find her, Tom. You deserve to be happy, to have a family. No matter how crazy Walburga makes me, I wouldn’t have my boys without her. Family can be a wonderful thing.” Orion squeezed his shoulder.

Chapter 2

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Severina Snape finished examining the gift. Her stomach thrummed with nerves. She hoped the meeting with Mr Riddle would go well. He had been her role model since she’d first heard his story: the half-blood, last surviving heir of Slytherin who was raised in a muggle orphanage and changed forever archaic prejudices on light and dark magic, blood purity, creature classifications, and the use of dementors in Wizarding prisons. His life was one of insatiable ambition. Between his stints in politics, he also travelled the world as a Curse Breaker and a researcher of dark creatures and artifacts. He wrote the majority of the books they studied in DADA class at Hogwarts.

Severina wasn’t the type of young lady to indulge in celebrity crushes. No, she was not some crazed fangirl. She admired and respected Mr Riddle, but this gift was something more than a gift of admiration.

Mr. Riddle offered academic scholarships for half-bloods and Severina was fortunate enough to be one of those scholarship students. Severina didn’t know what she would have done without his financial support. She would have barely scraped through her first six-year of Hogwarts. Her scholarship had provided fresh robes and new books every year and it had made all the difference in the world to her. Her last six years at Hogwarts had been the happiest of her life and she only wished to thank Mr Riddle for making that possible.

Severina approved of the custom engraving and wrapping. She paid the shopkeeper and carefully placed the gift in her bag.

On her way through Diagon Alley, to meet her friends at Florean Fortescue’s, she heard someone calling her name.

“Sev! Hey, wait up!” It was Lily’s voice.

Severina turned with a wide smile, “Lily! Tuny!”

Petunia and Lily walked toward her and Lily linked her arm through Severina’s and her sister’s. Together they walked into Florean Fortescue’s. David Bowie’s Golden Years was playing from a record player.

The guys were already waiting for them.

Lily squealed in delight when she reached James and he gathered her into a loving embrace and kissed her soundly.

They pulled apart and Lily sighed,“Just one more year of Hogwarts. Can you believe it?”

“And then our wedding and on to our happily ever after.” James smiled warmly, lovingly and kissed her again.

“Oi, mate! Get a room!” Sirius barked out good-naturedly. Regulus was beside him smirking and shaking his head in mock disapproval. Remus chuckled and rolled his eyes.

“You’re just jealous.” Snickered Petunia who sat next to Peter and he put his arm possessively around her shoulders.

“Of what? Of you, Evans chicks macking on my mates 24-7? Not in the least, I assure you.” Sirius scoffed.

“Don’t listen to him for a minute, Tuny, sweetie. You’re absolutely right, he’s jealous.” They leaned in and nuzzled their noses together.

Severina looked like she just bit into a vomit flavoured Bertie Bott’s bean. Sirius made a gaging face and even Regulus and Remus looked away uncomfortably. James and Lily didn’t notice because they were doing something similar with their noses.

Couples were weird and Severina hoped she’d never act so ridiculously if she ever fell in love. With any luck, she wouldn’t and she’d be free to pursue her life free from such entanglements.

Regulus cleared his throat and attempted to bring a little decorum to the group, “I believe Lily and James are going to be Head Girl and Head Boy together this year? Though, I’m still not sure how James, arguably the biggest prankster at Hogwarts, was selected to be Head Boy. He wasn’t even a prefect, was he?”

Remus shrugged, “Nope.”

“Dumbledore enjoys a good joke.” Sirius explained.

“Dumbledore has a wonderful sense of humour.” James said

“So, you being Head Boy is a joke?” Severina smirked at James.

James narrowed his eyes at her and moved to grab her. She tried to sidestep him but his fingers caught her ribs and started tickling.

“Ah! James... stop, you toe rag!” cried Severina.

“Toerag?” He asked in mock offence while she kept trying to wiggle away from his fingers, “You need to respect the badge Sevy, or else face the consequences.”

Sirius laughed. Lily and Remus just shook their heads at James’s antics. Petunia and Peter rolled their eyes and ignored them in favour of each other. Regulus looked sideways, thinking he would never understand why Sev put up with Gryffindor antics.

“Okay, okay, that’s enough...” Sev gasped, “James, I’m serious!”

“No, I’m Sirius.” Sirius said in mock concern and pulled Severina out of James’s grasp, “James you broke her. She doesn’t even know who she is anymore.” Sirius shook his head sadly.

Severina groaned and shared a look with Regulus saying without words, in Slytherin eyebrow arching code- “Why do I put up with these Gryffindors?” His eyebrow shrugged as if to say- “I have no idea. I happen to be unfortunately related to one. What’s your excuse?”

“Well, I don’t know about you lot, but I’m ready for ice cream.” Peter announced.

“I think I’ll try Sticky Toffee Pudding this time.” said Tuny.

“Hmm… Chocolate Chili sounds interesting.” said Remus.

״Clotted Cream is my favourite! I simply cannot divert.” said Lily and asked Severina, “Earl Grey and Lavender for you, Sev?”

Severina, “Not today I’m afraid, I have one more errand to run. I’ve only come to let you all know.”

Severina was surprised how disappointed they all looked.

“Well, we’ll go with you and then come back for ice cream after.” Remus suggested.

“No, it’s okay, go on and enjoy. I’m not sure how long this will take and it’s not in Diagon.”

“Can you join us later?” asked Regulus.

“I’m expected at my Uncle’s for dinner tonight so, I’ll say my goodbyes now. ”

Severina turned to Lily and Petunia and pecked them both on the cheeks, waved the boys goodbye and headed out trying to ignore her nervous energy while she clung to her bag.

——

Severina stood in front of the large manor house, the golden placard read “Riddle House” and she took a moment to look across the little village town below. She wondered what it must be like for Mr Riddle to live here.

Did he hate it? Did he feel vindicated? After growing up in an orphanage because his muggle father didn’t want anything to with him and his mother died giving birth to him, Mr Riddle inherited his father’s fortune anyway when Tom Riddle Sr. died prematurely.

Did he feel a little like a king up here looking down on Little Hangleton? He certainly must feel like a Lord, at least.

Severina looked back at the manor and took a steadying breath that only shook a little. The summer breeze carried in the scent of honeysuckles and she let that calm her further.

She pulled out the gift-wrapped box. It was green with a silver string and embossed with glossy shimmering scales. She hoped it didn’t look like she was trying too hard but in truth, she genuinely wanted him to be pleased with her gift.

Severina approached the front doors and knocked. The doors swung open and she was greeted by a happy little house-elf wearing a fine tunic robe and a bright smile. The elf lead Severina through the house to a sitting room where she waited to meet Mr Riddle.

Severina looked around nervously and chewed her bottom lip. She’d be lying if she said she hadn’t been imagining this moment for a long time, years maybe. She felt a bit silly about it now. The reality of the situation took on an almost dreamlike quality and she wondered if she was being completely ridiculous for wanting this as badly as she did.

She hadn’t waited long, at least, she hadn’t thought so when the door reopened and Tom Riddle entered the room.

“Sorry, to keep you waiting, Miss…”

Tom Riddle was dressed in smart business-formal wizard robes and his hair was slicked back. Her breath caught for a moment and she tried so hard no to react outwardly to the sight of him actually standing in front of her, in person. He was achingly handsome, but of course, Severina knew he would be and tried her best to look past it.

She was not some silly girl with a crush, she reminded herself. She was here to thank him and then move on with her life. Pursue her own ambitions rather than admiring his.

She met his eyes and he seemed stunned speechless. Severina wondered if he had been expecting someone else and decided to pretend that she didn’t notice.

“Miss Snape, sir. Well… Soon to be Miss Prince, once my uncle officially names me his heir..’ She cleared her throat. ‘Which is why I’m here sir, with the reconciliation of my family, I won’t be needing your scholarship anymore. I know that you have other students that you sponsor and I’m sure the money can go to someone who can benefit from it, as I have.”

She blushed a little. Mr Riddle hadn’t said anything and had just been able to close his mouth properly, only to have his left lip turn up in a sort of smile-smirk.

She continued clearly, quickly and with purpose just like she rehearsed, “Thank you for allowing me this meeting. I wanted to thank you in person for all that you’ve done for me, even if you didn’t know it. Especially, because you couldn’t possibly know how much your sponsorship through my last six years of Hogwarts has significantly improved my life and the opportunities I will have for the future. After I graduate, I intend to become a Potions Mistress and Spell Crafter.”

Severina’s eyes lit with hope and joy at all the future could for hold her, “I hope to make a difference in this world. Make an impact in my chosen fields that will hopefully help others both individually and at large in the Wizarding world. The way you have.”

She looked down, bashful and stepped toward him holding out the gift to him, “It’s not much and it's more symbolic than anything, but will you accept this, rather humble gift of gratitude?”

Mr Riddle cleared his throat and tentatively reached for the gift. His fingertips grazed hers as he took the gift from her hands. Severina blushed deeply and took a step back, letting her arms wrap lightly around herself.

“Thank you, Miss Snape, I’m glad that...” He cleared his throat and his eyes flitted around the room a moment before landing on her. He chuckled, self-deprecating, “I’m usually not at a loss for words.”

“Oh, that’s alright, I know you’re a busy man and I don’t want to take up much more of your time. I’ll see myself out.”

Severina smiled brightly deciding that she’s already had more time with him than she ever imagined; so, she started toward the door and didn’t see Mr Riddle’s face fall in astonishment and disappointment. She only made it a step, however, before she stopped,

“Oh! Actually, I may have to explain the gift a bit…” Severina bit her lip and looked down at the box like she wished she’d thought this part through.

Mr. Riddle, however, smiled widely and took up the opportunity with practised ease and confidence, “Then, please, Miss Snape, I insist you take tea with me and tell me all about your gift and some more about yourself.”

He called the house-elf from before and ordered tea. Then he led her gallantly to sit beside him on the settee, ignoring the two wing back chairs which faced each other with a coffee table between. The house-elf, when she arrived with tea, looked at the seating arrangement oddly and moved the table so it would be nearer the settee.

Severina noticed, but chose not to comment.

Mr. Riddle examined the gift, “I must say I thoroughly approve of the wrapping. Did you know I was in the Slytherin house?” Mr. Riddle asked.

Severina looked away with a smile then returning her eyes to his, “Yes, I’m pretty sure everyone knows.”

He tsked, “Do I mention it often?” He smirked.

“A bit. I’m in Slytherin, myself.” She informed him.

“Are you?” He asked, pleased.

She nodded, “I wouldn’t lie to you. How have you not opened it yet? I’m ready to open it and I know what’s inside.”

They both laughed and Severina couldn't help but notice the thrill that went through her at the warm rich sounds of his charming laugh and when he looked at her with his perfect smile. His deep blue eyes were intense to the point of being piercing and Severina had to look instead at the gift in his hands. She didn’t notice how his eyes lingered a second or two longer than hers.

“Oh alright,’ He said and undid the silver string, ever so slowly, letting it fall away before starting on the paper. He took his time, pealing off corner by corner being ever-so-careful not to rip any of the wrappings. All the while he would glance up at Severina with a smug little smirk and she knew he was teasing her. Severina schooled her features, however, and picked up her cup of tea and sipped patiently for him to finish. He chuckled deep from his belly when she did.

It was a wooden box; on top- a silver plate engraved with the words, “To Mr Tom Riddle with the deepest gratitude, your devoted servant, always, Severina Snape-Prince.” He lifted the lid and inside their silk-lined beds, lay three potion vials. He touched the first with his fingertip, “This one is empty.”

“Yes, it's symbolic. It represents me and my life before you… your scholarship. I had nothing and I was nothing. The next…” She pointed to the golden potion beside the empty one.

“Felix Felicis.” Mr. Riddle identified.

“Yes,” she smiled at him, “It's a stronger form, I’ve come up with a way to concentrate it. A drop will last a day and the bottle a month.”

“Truly?” He asked, clearly impressed.

She chuckled softly, “Don’t sound so shocked and I told you, I wouldn’t lie to you. Yes, truly.” She added hurriedly, “Not that you need luck.” He smirked and she continued with a blush, “It can also be seen as symbolic. Not only because you have given me fortune and luck in my life, but also that you have given me an opportunity to improve myself- even more than, may have otherwise been thought possible.”

He swallowed and moved to the next. His brow pinched together, bewildered, “Is this a love potion antidote?”

Severina laughed and covered her mouth to regain control. He looked at her still puzzled but a confused smile playing on his lips.

“Ah, yes… that’s actually a bit of a joke. You’re so often on the cover of Witch Weekly, my friends and I have a running joke that you must drink love potion antidotes with your English breakfast. Sorry… it's just a bit, well…” She didn’t finish her thought, so busy were the two laughing.

Notes:

Remus never was bit by Greyback because Tom had by then changed prejudices against dark creatures. Mr. Lupin never angered Greyback by saying something inflammatory about werewolves (like they are soulless and only deserve death, if I remember correctly).

So Remus Lupin also gets to have a perfectly happy childhood free of pain or fear of prejudices!

Chapter Text

She was... she was something, Tom thought. He couldn’t say why but as soon as he saw her it was like all the air left the room. Then she started talking and he wasn’t sure if he would rather laugh or cry. Her voice was... ethereal, her eyes were like the night sky and her smiles were guileless. She looked away once in a while bashfully, but kept determined professionalism until she started teasing him!

He hadn’t felt like this since... well he couldn’t remember ever feeling like this. Certainly not about a witch.

She hasn’t even finished her NEWTs yet... a seventh-year? Merlin, he was old enough to be her father. He wasn’t about to do the math right now though. Not while she was talking.

“After my grandfather died, in the winter, my Uncle decided he wanted to reach out to my mother. It doesn’t seem that he and my mother had been close as children and have little in common, but it has been... oh how to describe it... it’s this part of me- of the heritage that had once felt closed off to me- has been opened wide and it’s as if I am discovering magic all over again. That probably doesn’t make much sense...”

“No it does,” he quickly reassured her, “I didn’t know until Albus Dumbledore came to visit me at the orphanage, that there were others like me. Then, of course, being a parseltongue, I was still a bit set apart. Finding my Slytherin heritage and despite my maternal grandfather and uncle being less than open to accepting my existence...” he had taken her to the garden and when he looked over at her, she was listening intently. Actually listening, not just being polite and he forgot what he had been saying exactly, “Anyway, I know what you mean.”

Tom swallowed and wondered why he couldn’t seem to talk. Ever since he laid eyes on her, there was this burning pressure in his chest and his throat. It was very distracting.

She didn’t seem to notice though. She simply turned to look at some flowering plant in the garden he couldn’t care less about, except that she looked like she belonged here, in his garden. He wanted to reach out and touch her, to make sure she wasn’t simply a statue or ornament, but there was something untouchable about her.

“My best friend is muggle-born and when I met her she hadn’t known anyone else who could do magic either. She was so relieved when we met and I told her about the wizarding world. We were fast friends.” She smiled warmly at the memory and Tom almost ached jealously for what she was feeling at that moment, “That was a year before you proposed the muggle-born education act.”

Usually, he took smug pleasure in the recognition of his accomplishments. Mostly, because it proved how successfully he had been able to gather support from the underrepresented classes, all the while cultivating an image of philanthropic goodwill. It had simply been strategic and suddenly that didn’t seem like a good enough reason.

“I should’ve done it sooner.” He said, genuinely feeling it at that moment.

“You can’t be expected to be the only one trying to change the world.” She said seriously.

Despite the ease with which she had smiled and teased and laughed only moments before, she seemed to revert to an almost severe demeanor. Perhaps this was her natural state while the laughter had been learned. He wondered who might have taught her. He couldn’t decide if he liked her better laughing or severe.

He liked her.

He didn’t like anyone. Not really, not sincerely, not genuinely. He was very good at making people believe he did and he sometimes wondered what it felt like to have... well— feelings.

That’s what this was, wasn’t it? Feelings? Emotions?

Time didn’t seem to be moving at a normal speed. His heartbeat faster than it had ever done without physical exertion and his head felt light and fuzzy, his neck hot, his throat tight, and his tongue heavy.

When he had told Orion that he wouldn’t say no to love, he hadn’t meant… he hadn’t thought… he had only said it because it sounded like the right thing to say. It had worked, Orion’s eyes softened and Tom was sure Orion would not be forcing his nieces on him anytime soon, and hopefully, Orion would warn off Nott and Malfoy on his behalf.

Severina was looking at him, her brow creasing a little. He was staring. He knew he was staring but he couldn’t stop. She wasn’t the most beautiful witch he had ever been in company with, but she was captivating in her own way.

He wanted to touch her. Any other witch he would have already, but he couldn’t seem to move. Any other witch, he would have flattered her— he would have told her that he has never met a witch like her before; that he thought her the most enchanting witch he has ever met; that he simply can’t help himself and then he would already have her in his arms, under his lips, pressed into the sheets of his bed. That’s what he always did before and it always worked, but then, it had never been the truth before.

Her eyes looked right through him and he could hardly breathe, let alone speak. Her attention snapped to the path ahead of them and her eyes went wide.

He liked her profile, he decided. Her nose was a bit large and the tip of her nose was a bit hooked, her cheekbones and jawline were prominent. She wasn’t soft curves, pump, and warm hues; she was sharps lines and cool contrasts. Still, her skin looked as smooth as satin and her hair moved like silk in the wind whenever the summer breeze braved to caress her.

“Did this witch slip you something? Are you, alright? Do you want me to bite her?” Nagini hissed.

Tom blinked and glanced down at his familiar. “No, don’t bite her. Why would you think she slipped me something? She hasn’t.”

“I’ve been watching you since you two came into the garden and you’ve done nothing but stare at her. See, you’re right back staring at her. Something is wrong. Also, your body heat is hotter than normal. It’s not even all that warm today. Would you stop staring at her and look at me while I’m talking to you?”

Severina took an unconscious step toward him while keeping her eyes on Nagini. She smelt like jasmine and sandalwood. He could almost feel the heat of her and wanted to pull her closer and feel that heat mingled with his own. She tucked her hair behind her ear and asked,

“I-is this your familiar?”

Tom nodded but she wasn’t looking at him, still focused on Nagini. He tried to speak but words felt caught in his throat so, he cleared his throat and answered,

“Yes.”

“What is wrong with you? Tom, I think you ought to go to St. Mungo’s. Tom? Do you hear me? Are you listening? I’ll bite her, Tom. I swear I will! If she’s done something to you, I’ll rip her throat out.”

Severina smiled shyly at him, “What is she saying?”

Tom smiled widely. Her eyes were on his and her attention completely his and he felt… giddy? Is this what giddy feels like? Seems like a strange term but the word itself felt accurate. He couldn’t recall ever feeling giddy before. There was a bubbling sensation in his chest, rising in his throat and making his head feel dazed like it was filling with energy it couldn’t contain.

“She’s saying I should invite you to stay for dinner.” He answered smoothly.

“No, I certainly did not. I said I’d bite her not eat her.” Nagini corrected but Tom ignored her.

Severina’s face fell and Tom’s ‘giddiness’ deflated with an immediate internal pop.

“I’m afraid I am expected at my Uncle’s tonight for dinner, but please tell her that I appreciate her consideration.” She said politely and bowed a little to Nagini in acknowledgment.

Tom was… confused. She had just said no to dinner with him? He was stunned and felt like he had just swallowed a rather large rock. She said no? No one ever said no before- certainly not a witch. If they had previous engagements, they would cancel them as to not pass up an opportunity with him.

“Well, Tom, looks like you’re losing your touch.” Nagini laughed in shuddered hisses.

Tom glared at Nagini, “Stay out of this.”

Severina wasn’t looking at either of them, as she was checking the time. Tom straightened his spine and put on his alluring smirk, he opened his mouth to speak but she spoke first,

“Thank you for your time, Mr. Riddle, I am very glad I had a chance to meet you in person and again, I thank you for… everything, I guess.” She laughed lightly and held out her hand for him to shake.

Tom’s face fell and he felt itchy desperation spread through him. He looked down at her hand and took it in a handshake. Her hand was soft, her palm warm in his and her long graceful fingers cool against the heat of his skin. She squeezed his hand gently and moved to pull it away, but Tom held it firm and shifted his hold to her fingers, lifting them. Her slight fingers were smooth and cool against his lips. Her eyes widened, her lips parted, her face flushed.

He lowered her hand to the level of his sternum and brushed his thumb across her knuckles. His heart seemed to register her proximity and responded by trying to beat out of his chest.

“Miss Snape...” He began.

She pulled her hand out of his and her expression turned severe and closed off and he wondered what he had done. Her smile turned forced and she seemed to shake herself a little. She waited for him to continue but his mouth went dry.

“Thank you for your gift,” was all he could think to say.

Her eyes soften and her smile warmed, she waved a little and said, “Goodbye, Mr. Riddle,” then with a soft pop and a swirl of disapparition, she was gone.

Still looking at the spot where she had just stood, Tom rubbed at a spot on his breastbone and spoke to Nagini,

“What just happened?”

“I believe, Tom, that was called rejection.”

“Rejection? ...it hurts... like a stinging hex to the sternum. I don’t care for it at all.”

“I suppose you are human after all.”

“Now, now, Nagini, no need to insult me. I’ve just suffered rejection, as you so aptly put it. No need to rub salt in the wound.”

All the feeling and emotion of mere moments ago, fled him as soon as she had disappeared. Now that the emotion was gone, he was acutely aware that it was missing. Logically, he had been able to gather over the years, that he didn’t experience feelings quite the same way as others around him, but never knowing what he was missing, he never felt bereft. Until now. Until he met her...

“Severina,” he breathed out her name as though to call her back simply by thinking of her and speaking her name aloud.

“I’m going to marry her.” He decided and became thoughtful.

“You just met her.” Nagini stated– almost a question.

Tom tapped his lips, remembering the feel of her hand in his and his lips on her fingers.

“Yes and I didn’t want to say goodbye.”

Chapter Text

Tom’s smile was starting to hurt from the effort he was having to put into keeping it on his face. He could feel his smile sting the joints of his jaw like he was sucking on something overly sour. His ‘friends’ promised him they would not attempt to set him up with any witches at the Malfoy’s Midsummer Celebration. Yet here he was...

Bellatrix Black was a very beautiful young witch and she had a spark in her eyes that was both alluring and unnerving. Tom had quickly determined that this particular Miss Black was entirely insane. She laughed at odd times, sounding like an Erkling, and she kept finding reasons to touch him, much to the curious disappointment of the Lestrange heir who watched them grumpily a few feet away.

“You sound like you lead such an exciting life, Mr. Riddle. I know I-,” she brushed his arm gently and looked up at him through her lashes, “I certainly desire excitement.” She bit her lip sensuously and her eyes held pure lust.

It was times like these, Tom wondered why he had never taken up smoking... or killing- something to take the edge off the boredom of dealing with people. Were she another witch, he may have been tempted, but he could not imagine Severina’s cool intelligence, easy laughter, and aching innocence ever trying so overtly to seduce him in the middle of a party.

Severina had utterly ruined him. It had only been a week since he met her and every day felt a little more empty without her in it.

His eyes grazed the grounds of Malfoy Manor and the people gathered around tables and under the shade of aesthetically placed gazebos. White peacocks strutted around begging treats from guests. Fairies fluttered into the grounds from the garden, explored the floral decor, and flew through the archway into the labyrinth of seven-foot-tall white-rose bushes.

Bellatrix must have interpreted his actions as checking if they could slip away unnoticed. Her fingers slid around his palm and gave him a gentle tug, causing his eyes to snap back to her.

“No one will notice,” she conspired in a hush, “Come. I know the perfect place.”

The rich warmth of her laughter touched his ears and Tom knew he had only felt numbness until now. Emotions flooded through him, emotions he had yet to name, but the rush of it felt like diving bodily into a hot spring after trudging through the chill of winter.

Tom was unaware that he had pulled his hand away from Bellatrix’s grasp rather rudely. His attention spun to find his source of warmth.

She was coming out of the labyrinth, framed by white roses. A picture of contrasts, her black hair and eyes would not be dulled by summer’s light, while her milky-white skin wanted to share in the beauty of the roses. She was smiling and laughing freely like a Grecian nymph in the garden.

So focused was he on the sight of her, he did not at first see any but her. He did not imagine that the source of her happiness was anything but innately sourced. Not until the handsome dark-haired youth beside her took her hand in his and twirled her around, pulled her into his arms as though in a dance, and waltzed with her a few steps. Until another, taller and broader, but equally handsome young wizard wrapped his arms around her waist, pulled her out of the dance, and her back into his chest.

Rage was an emotion with which Tom was familiar. One he had long ago tamed. This rage, however, was different. This rage was not born of bitterness or hate or annoyance. This rage poured forth from the crack in his heart, bleeding and seeping over his innards.

He left Bellatrix with a sharp smile, “Do excuse me, Miss Black. Perhaps, Mr. Lestrange could oblige you?” Tom said and jerked his head in the direction of the grumpy Rodolphus Lestrange who was sipping a drink and standing with his brother.

She huffed and stared after him, confused and indignant. He cared not.

As eager as he was to reach Severina, he was the heir of Slytherin, thank you very much, and not a drop of Gryffindor brashness to be found. With composure and subtly, he efficiently made his way through the grounds. Genially greeting those who called out to him. Shaking hands with eager wizards, pecking the cheeks of blushing witches. Answering questions diplomatically and excusing himself politely. Leaving everyone in his wake all the more enraptured of him.

It meant, however, that when he reached Severina, she had already moved into a gazebo with a group of at least four, but then he had lost sight of her. As he neared, he caught a glimpse of her profile just before his path was cut off by a girlish giggle and a short brown-haired witch with large round glasses.

“Hello, Tom,” she twittered in a high pitched, whiny-type voice.

“Ah! Hello, Miss Warren.”

She giggled like a bird being shaken violently, “Oh, Tom! Miss Warren? We know each other better than that.”

Actually, they didn’t. Not in the strictest sense. They had been at Hogwarts at the same time. She had been two years younger; he once walked in on her crying in the girl's bathroom in his fifth-year while he was looking for Slytherin’s Chamber of Secrets. She had poked her head out of a stall to see who had come into the bathroom. Having been caught he said simply, “Sorry... Myrtle, right? I didn’t realize this was the girl’s bathroom, my mistake,” and left.

She, however, was so thrilled that he had known her name that she told the entire school. She even started a rumor that he had kissed her to cheer her up while she was crying after being bullied by some of the girls in her year. He never did find the Chamber of Secrets because that particular bathroom was always filled with girls hoping he would mistake it for the boys' again. The bullies never picked on Myrtle again and were ironically bullied themselves for their reputation of being bullies. Myrtle became one of the most popular girls in her year and Tom gained the reputation of being something of a golden-hearted philanthropist.

Myrtle had a talent for rumors and gossip so, she made her career of it as the gossip columnist for Witches Weekly. She had a soft spot for Tom and Tom reaped the benefits of being on the good side of an accomplished gossip.

“Myrtle, of course, you are well, I hope?”

“I’ll be better when you tell me a secret,” she whispered.

“A secret?”

“Something juicy, Tom, or at least tell me something and I’ll make it juicy,” she giggled again.

“I’ll tell you what, find me at the end of the celebration and I’ll tell you a secret.”

Myrtle clapped her hands together with glee and let him pass.

Tom smiled, finally entering the gazebo. She was mere feet away. He could look at her freely, he could step forward and touch her if he dared. Tom's eyes found Severina's immediately and all that rage that pooled in his gut cooled and calmed. He never wanted to leave her eyes.

———

Severina’s heart stopped when Tom Riddle walked into the gazebo. She never thought she would see him again. He was even more handsome than she remembered. His eyes met hers and she felt like she was back in his garden again. His eyes were alarming, intense, and piercing right through her walls.

When he had kissed her hand, it shattered all of her defenses and rationalizations against romance- that wall that she had built brick by brick every time she witnessed the darker side of love from her parents. Friendships were fine. Friendships were safe. Never love. Not even infatuation. She couldn’t risk it. She couldn’t risk love ripping away at her hopes and dreams and ambitions.

She had done so well protecting herself from such feelings. Until the gentle grasp of his hand raised her fingers to the soft pressure of his lips. Even after his lips left her skin, she could feel their very shape branded on her, with a burning chill that awakened something inside of her. Something that she would have rather left in eternal sleep. So she closed herself off, pushed the feeling away, and destroyed it as she would a boggart, laughing at the folly of falling in love with someone like Tom Riddle.

She recovered from his piercing gaze. She smiled politely and turned her attention to her uncle, Claudius Prince, who sat in his wheelchair between herself and Orion Black. Her uncle was born crippled but despite being physically disabled, he was an incredibly intelligent and powerful wizard. One of his favorite things to do was fly a broom. He could fly his wheelchair expertly, but he said the broom was more thrilling.

Severina had only known her uncle a few months, but she had found in him a parental figure that she could admire and respect. He was three years younger than her mother and very different in many ways. He preferred intellectual pursuits and philosophical conversations. He had been sorted into Ravenclaw and worked as a researcher in the Department of Mysteries—an Unspeakable, though few knew that about him.

He had told her that naming her as his heir took a bit of pressure off him. He had confided in her that while he wasn’t physically incapable, he nevertheless, considered himself asexual, and between his physical disability and his job he hadn't been looking forward to courting anyone and trying to start a family on principle alone. Severina more than respected that and was infinitely glad her mother let her move in with Uncle Claudius. Her mother, however, stayed with Tobias. After all, Eileen and Tobias loved each other to the point of ruination.

Orion Black introduced her uncle to Mr. Riddle and then to herself,

“and Mr. Prince’s niece, Miss Snape, or is it to be Snape-Prince?”

Her uncle answered in his deep rich voice that always felt like a comforting brush of velvet across the skin, “Though she is my heir in all but legality, she is a Prince in full, as soon as she wishes it,”

Claudius never seemed to smile with his mouth. His face was rarely expressive at all. His eyes, however, smiled readily at his niece. Severina nodded and focused on the paternal love of her uncle as she addressed Mr. Riddle,

“My preference is Prince if you will.”

“Then, Miss Prince... a pleasure,” he reached for her hand, and for a second time her skin felt his lips. Severina tried not to shatter.

Chapter Text

She was everything he remembered and more. Seeing her and being near her again was intoxicating, the quickest addiction he could imagine.

Orion introduced his sons, the two young wizards who had been pawing Severina’s person outside the labyrinth. The eldest, Sirius, was even more handsome than Orion had been at seventeen and the younger, Regulus, was almost as handsome but in a more effeminate way that made you think ‘beautiful.’ Tom may have gripped their hands more firmly than necessary. Then Orion introduced a pretty little red-headed witch, Miss Evans, and a handsome athletic-looking youth with glasses and messy hair, Mr. Potter.

Finally, Orion introduced Severina’s uncle, a crippled wizard with intelligent eyes and an attractive voice. Uncle and niece did not resemble each other much and yet the resemblance of their eyes, the velvet quality of their voices, and the quiet severity in the shape of their mouths were almost uncanny.

When Severina was introduced as Prince, Tom felt it suited her, for now. If he could he would make her a queen, but he would settle for making her his soon.

The moment he had her fingers in his hands, he held them firmly and kissed her knuckles. The contact was too short for his liking and her attention too quick to turn away from him. She didn’t allude to having met him a week ago. Her uncle seemed to be studying them but didn’t reveal if he knew or not. Had she kept their meeting a secret? For a moment he wondered if he had dreamt it all in some fevered vision.

He wanted to call her out. He wanted to remind her and tell everyone listening that they had already met. That they shared an afternoon together and it had shaken awake something in him that hadn’t been there before. How could he have experienced something so pivotal in his own life, not have affected her the same?

He needed her and he knew it. He was going to marry her; he had decided. It was his new ambition and none of his ambitions had felt like options, only a realization of purpose. This was no different, except he never felt so at risk for loss if he failed.

He was sure she was avoiding him throughout the party. Mostly, he spoke to her uncle who was intelligent enough to be distracting, which he was grateful for when Severina went off with her friends. All young and vibrant in their own ways. The Black brothers vied for her attention, while Miss Evans and Mr. Potter diverted her with ease and when Lucius Malfoy greeted her with a peck on the cheek and led her by the arm to meet Abraxas, well, the Black brothers weren’t the only ones glaring grumpily.

What had he done wrong? How he scared her off? She was purposefully avoiding him, he was sure, but why?

“Your niece, how is she handling being an heiress?” Tom asked Claudius Prince.

“I am confident Severina will do me proud. I admit neither of us expected what suddenly being an heiress would mean for her. I’ve already been contacted with several proposals of courtship.”

Tom’s blood spiked and could only ask, “Oh?”

“I haven’t brought any to Severina’s attention, yet. I wouldn’t want anything to distract her from her NEWTs.” Claudius’s eyes regarded him.

“Certainly not, ” Tom agreed.

“And I doubt Severina would respond favorably to any offers of courtship. Severina… she is not as solitary a creature as she would like to think, but she is very guarded.”

Tom looked over to where Lucius was walking Severina towards the garden. They were talking amicably, but Severina had reclaimed her hand from his arm and had put a little more distance between them as they walked.

Claudius was fortuitously pulled into a conversation with another researcher and Tom made his way to the garden. He, of course, understood the thinly veiled warnings well enough, and could hardly contain his amusement. As if any warning could keep him from her. As if he would see any obstacle as a deterrent rather than a challenge to win.

Tom neared the garden and stopped to greet Walburga Black who stood with her youngest niece.

“Oh Tom, do let me introduce my niece, Narcissa Black.”

Tom bent over Narcissa’s hand and kissed her fingers. “Charmed, Miss Black. Perhaps your aunt could spare you a moment? I intended to enjoy the beauty of the garden, but I think you would make a more lovely addition if you would agree to accompany me?”

Narcissa blushed and Walburga practically shoved her niece toward him. They walked in silence with Narcissa’s hand tucked into Tom’s elbow not far behind Lucius and Severina. Upon seeing the couple, Narcissa pressed closer to his side and Tom grinned with self-satisfaction.

The garden was quiet and the couple in front of them were speaking in hushed tones. Tom turned to the witch on his arm and didn’t hush his voice, instead, he spoke from his diaphragm at a lower than normal level that he knew would carry with subtly.

“This is truly a lovely garden. I have a garden at my own estate, but I’m afraid it would be put to shame by this one. Though perhaps it is the company that makes it so lovely.”

Narcissa drew in a quick breath and blushed deeply. Her eyes, however, were not on himself but on Lucius Malfoy who had clearly heard them. Lucius didn’t turn, however, until Severina leaned toward him and whispered something to him. Lucius seemed to sigh in defeat and finally looked behind them.

“Ah, Mr. Riddle… Miss Black. Would you care to join us, perhaps I can assist in identifying some of the plants in our garden?”

“Certainly,” Tom answered, “You wouldn’t by chance have Miss Black’s namesake situated happily in your garden?”

Lucius looked to Miss Black and smiled politely, “Indeed we do. I could show you if you would like, Miss Black.” He offered his hand to her. She took his hand and the couple headed deeper into the garden.

Lucius glanced once behind him to see Severina undecided as to whether to join them and continue through the garden or make an escape. Tom didn’t give her an option, taking her hand and tucking it into his arm and Narcissa drew Lucius’s attention to herself.

Tom leaned over and whispered, “I believe the rose maze entrance is nearby, join me? I’d hate to get lost alone.”

Another witch would have blushed or tittered or done something flattering, but not Severina. She looked at him with suspicion.

“Did you do that on purpose?” She asked.

Tom’s lips twitched, “Do what? Give a couple who wanted to be alone together an opportunity to do just that?”

“Lucius and Cissy aren’t a couple.”

Tom laughed. He hadn’t really been referring to Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black. He really didn't care.

Severina’s brow crinkled and Tom sighed.

“I wouldn’t be as successful today if I wasn’t skilled at intuitively interpreting people. Lucius introduced you to his father and then brought you into the garden. The younger Miss Black seemed very interested in Lucius’s movements. She at least wanted to be alone with him.”

Tom continued to talk as he led her to the maze, “I knew the same way I knew Rodolphus Lestrange was jealous that Bellatrix Black was flirting with me. The same way I know that the only reason Orion is working on his marriage is that his mistress ended things, because she's here and he's noticed little else. The same way I know that Abraxas wants Lucius to run for Minister after me, but that's rather obvious. The same way I know that the only witch or wizard who could beat me in an election is Albus Dumbledore and the only way to keep Dumbledore out of the runnings is to keep him intellectually stimulated enough to keep him satisfied where he is. Which is why I agree to regular chess games,” Tom leaned in a whispered into her ear, “and I send him puzzles from around the world, claiming I’ve come across curses that are too difficult for me to solve, but in reality, I create them for him.”

Tom smirked down at her and there it was, the flush on her cheeks he had been trying to draw out, the quickened breath he had wanted to catch, and the burgeoning interest in her eyes he only ever wanted himself to see. Severina looked away from him and seeing where they were, she pulled her hand gently from his arm and took a step away from him. She reached out to touch a rose and Tom spoke again,

“I also know that you hate your muggle father and can't get his name off you soon enough.”

Severina jerked a little and her finger caught on a thorn. She hissed and pulled her hand to her chest. The white rose which pricked her turned its petals towards the scent of blood. Tom took her hand and she resisted at first but then let him hold her finger over the bloom. A single drop of blood fell on the rose and the rose soaked it up greedily and bloomed more fully, now red and sated.

Tom took out his wand and careful of the thorns cut the rose from the bush, it let out a soft rustle of pain then was silent and still. Tom proceeded to trim off the thorns and turned to offer it to Severina.

“As long as it remains with you, it’ll never die.” He said. She took the rose and brought it under her nose and her lips brushed its petals and he wished he was the rose.

She sighed tiredly, “I don’t hate my muggle father. I just don’t want to become him.”

“I can understand that. I unfortunately never had the opportunity to exchange my name for my mothers.”

Severina looked up at him and nodded.

“I am fortunate in my uncle... I really should be getting back to him,” she said and turned to make her way back the way they came.

Tom’s stomach lept to his throat, his hand flew out on its own and grasped her wrist. Her head snapped back to him.

“Why are you always trying to get away from me?” He asked, with more pain than anger lacing the question.

Her eyes widened and she swallowed but she didn’t deny it. She recovered herself and arched her eyebrow with a challenge, “You mean to say you haven’t intuitively interpreted me?”

Tom stepped closer to her. He saw her face flush again and her chest rise and fall, there was interest here and attraction. She enjoyed talking to him, he knew, and wasn’t uncomfortable in his presence as long as there was conversation. It was only when… ah, she was for some reason, uncomfortable with her attraction to him, but he didn’t know why. Something to do with her father perhaps? By why would that be? Had she been abused?

Tom swallowed, “I’m not going to hurt you, Severina. You are not in danger with me.”

Severina’s face twisted and her breath shuddered. Tom thought she might cry and moved to pull her into his chest, but she stepped away from him. Her eyes looked truly afraid of him.

She breathed out, “I have to go,” and she turned and left, leaving Tom alone in the rose maze.

Tom bent down and regarded the red rose she had dropped in her haste. He reached for it and as soon as his fingers pinched around its stem, it withered at his touch. He dropped it back to the ground and ran his hand over his face.

Why should she be afraid of him?

He saw her once more as the party ended and she bid him goodbye. She offered her hand to shake or to kiss, maybe proving to them both that she wasn’t afraid, but instead of shaking or kissing her hand he stepped into her and let his lips brush her cheek. He breathed in to smell again jasmine and sandalwood. Her eyes hardened and searched his face and her smile was guarded. Then she was gone. Running away again.

With Severina’s departure, the cold was back, his heart freezing over.

”So,’ squeaked Myrtle, ’what's your secret?”

Tom leaned down and whispered into her ear. When he straightened, he observed her eyes widen and shine with glee. Myrtle let out a high-pitched squeal which caused Tom to wince.

“Ooh, very juicy,” she said to herself as she conjured a quill and parchment and started scribbling away as she departed. So, engrossed in her writing she didn’t even look up or say farewell.

Tom smirked as she left.

“Tom, was that Ms. Warren you were just speaking with?” Abraxas approached at his side and Tom chuckled internally at the annoyance in his tone.

“Leave Tom be Abraxas, you know if he had any news about the upcoming election he would go to you and your people at the Profit and not a gossip columnist for Witches Weekly,” Orion said as he joined them.

“You’ve finally chosen a wife then? Thank Salazar.” Abraxas said with a sigh and then testily, “I hope she’s up to the task of being a public figure. Well, are we to know who she is?”

Tom only arched an eyebrow.

“Oh no, Tom.” Orion shook his head, “Oh gods no. I thought you had paid her more than typical attention, but really…”

“What? Who?” Abraxas asked Orion.

“A newly mint heiress to an old family name whose Wizengamot seats have been traditionally and stubbornly independent for generations?”

“Damn. Well, no matter, Lucius will just have to deal with the disappointment.” Abraxas stated offhandedly, already planning campaign strategies.

“Tom, I’ve known Severina since she and Sirius were first years together, she is not the witch for you.” Orion declared.

“Excuse me?” Tom questioned with a fire in his eyes and steel in his voice.

Orion swallowed heavily and Abraxas stiffened with fear flashing quickly passed his eyes. Tom always had the ability to strike involuntary fear with a mere look or tone of voice. Neither wizard would be able to say why they would have reason to be afraid of him. He had never directly harmed them, but neither could say Tom was definitively incapable of violence. Being friends with Tom Riddle was like keeping a dragon as a pet and even though it had never hurt you, you knew it could burn you to a crisp at the slightest provocation; so fear grips whenever he moves a little too quickly or too aggressively.

“I only mean that Severina is not a witch who would enjoy the attention that you have grown used to from the public and the press. It’s not that she’s shy or unusually quiet, but she is very private. I’ve known her since she was twelve and my sons are counted among her best friends and yet no one seems to know anything about her home life. Six years I’ve known her and I couldn’t tell you her muggle father’s name.”

Abraxas made a noise in the back of his throat like the mixture of a groan and a hum, “As if her muggle father’s name is of any importance, but if there is some reason she is ashamed of her parents, I’d hate it to reflect poorly during the election.” Thinking of not only Tom but Lucius as well.

“Abraxas you can’t force Tom into office by putting him in the running without his saying so. You keep talking like he will be in the election, but I have yet to hear it from the man himself yet.” Orion snapped and then both wizards turned expectantly to Tom.

“I don’t see why I can’t run for Minister and court Miss Prince.”

Abraxas smirked triumphantly and Orion looked like he had eaten something foul.

“Walburga is going to be insufferable. She had hoped one of our boys would finally win Severina over and that one of her nieces would have tempted you. Are you truly set on Miss Sn—Prince, Tom?”

“Absolutely,” Tom answered.

Chapter Text

Lily plopped herself down next to Severina on the Hogwarts Express. Severina smiled at her but Lily only raised her eyebrows and inclined her head expectantly. It was that look that said, You are withholding juicy gossip from me and I do not appreciate it. Severina suppressed a groan and decided her friend was being juvenile and she wasn’t going to give Lily the satisfaction.

“Hello, Lily.” Severina said politely.

“Sev!” Lily whinged.

Severina sighed, “Alright fine, you were right, I was wrong; Lucius did have feelings for me and his father even made an official courtship proposal, but I let him down as gently as I could… Don’t look at me like that, I was nice about it. I told him I only thought of him as a friend and that I really couldn’t betray Cissy in such a way since she has been in love with Lucius since… always. Really, as soon as he gives her a chance, he’ll be head-over-heels for her. They will be so grateful I refused Lucius’s court, they’ll name me their first-born’s godmother.”

Lily kept looking expectantly at her. Severina blushed, thinking about Mr. Riddle and the part he played in helping Cissy with Lucius, but that couldn’t be what Lily was waiting for, right? Lily made an impatient noise and dug around in her purse and pulled out the latest issue of Witches Weekly. Severina rolled her eyes.

“Oh don’t tell me, another quiz about ‘how to know he’s your soulmate’ or is it that ‘my stars have aligned and I’m sure to find love this moon?’” Sev shook her head.

The compartment door opened and the guys piled in. Severina smiled at them, hoping their arrival would distract Lily from whatever ridiculous dribble was written in Witches Weekly. Better not be a “Moaning Myrtle” piece. The woman never had anything good to say about anyone… well except for Tom Riddle. He was Witches Weekly’s golden boy (or man, rather).

Lily slapped the now open periodical on Severina’s lap, causing her to jump a little. Severina looked at her friend in shock, but Lily wasn’t paying attention, pointing at an article.

“When were you going to tell us?”

“Tell us what?” James asked, “What you got there?” And snatched the article before Sev had a chance to look at it. She watched James’s face pinch and his eyes narrowed over what he read. Sirius peered over his shoulder,

“What?” Sirius growled and snatched the magazine from James’s hands.

“Would someone fill us in, please?” Regulus asked evenly, barely masking his annoyance.

“What? What’s going on?” Peter asked.

Remus met Severina’s eyes and she shrugged at him. He gave a sideways smile and took the seat across from her and Lily.

“Sev, I’m hurt, truly hurt that you wouldn’t tell us about this.” James pouted.

Severina scoffed and shook her head, “Tell you about what? I don’t know what you’re on about. You snatched it away before I had a chance to read it.”

Sirius chewed his cheeks and scoffed, “It’s Moaning Myrtle. She probably just made it up to help sales or something, right Sev?” His face was hardened but his eyes looked vulnerable.

“It says she was told by the man himself.” Lily said.

Regulus groaned and grabbed the article from his brother. Upon scanning the page, however, his face fell. Remus read over his shoulder with a thoughtful look on his face before taking the magazine and handing it over to Severina.

She looked down at it and read, “Tom Riddle finds love at last… Yes, dear readers, I know we must all suffer broken hearts at the news, but the man himself informed me and I quote, “I’m in love and I intend to marry her— Severina Prince.””

Severina felt all the air leave her lungs, but the shock only lasted a moment before she started laughing. She looked around at the expectant faces of her friends and waved the magazine in the air saying,

“This is rubbish.”

The air in the room seemed to relax at her proclamation and Sirius’s laughing smile returned. The train whistle blew, signaling its departure and the train gave a small tug as it started off. Everyone jostled a bit.

“Of course it’s rubbish, I knew it was.” James said, looking smug and settling in beside Lily.

Severina shook her and snorted. “Sure you did, James.”

“So there’s no truth to it then? Why would she quote him? Couldn’t she get in trouble for something like that?” Remus asked, still looking thoughtful.

Severina shrugged, “Only if Mr. Riddle complains.”

“Only if it’s a lie.” Regulus said, his face somber.

Severina scoffed, “Of course it is. I mean… James, would you tell Lily you were in love with her and intended to marry her via a gossip columnist instead of, I don’t know, telling Lily first? Actually, scratch that, you probably would.”

“Oi!” James exclaimed, offended and everyone laughed, the tension rolling away with the movement of the train.

———

“Tom Riddle is in love, I never thought I’d see the day.” Dumbledore chuckled fondly with a twinkle in his eyes.

Tom took measure of the chess board and didn’t respond.

“Oh… oh, my… I had only meant to tease you, but it is true isn’t it?”

Tom pinched his lips together and glanced up at Albus without answering and made his move. Tom crossed his legs and pressed his knuckles against his chin.

Dumbledore observed him a moment and hummed in thought, “Somehow, I’m both astonished and yet unsurprised. I’ve known you a long time, Tom and I have recently watched Miss Snape, or Miss Prince as it is now, grow up. I certainly see why you would be drawn to her. She reminds me a lot of you, only less… extroverted in nature.”

“Then what astonishes you?” Tom asked evenly.

Albus stroked his beard, “The age difference, but I suppose other than that, nothing. Tell me, how is Miss Prince taking to your engagement?”

Tom bit his tongue and stood up. He made his way to the window in the headmaster’s office. The Hogwarts Express was not yet in sight but he watched for it anyway.

“It’s a public declaration of intent,” Tom explained.

Dumbledore stood and joined him at the window.

“You mean… Tom, you cannot force her into a courtship.”

Tom blinked unmoved and stated, “But I have.”

“Tom.” Albus warned, “Severina probably doesn’t even realize… courtship rituals such as these haven’t been enacted in centuries. Even the more traditional families prefer to make private offers. Perhaps a public courtship will not overly bother you, but Severina won’t take it well. She could refuse you and you won’t be able to court another witch.”

“I’ll have none but her.” He declared firmly, but turned to his mentor with a softer demeanor than he felt and smiled gently, “I’ll explain it to her; don’t worry about that. Will you help me Albus? For a traditional courtship, I’ll need,” he swallowed his hesitation at the word he needed to utter, "a father.”

Dumbledore’s eye went red with tears and his answer came out a bit choked, “Of course, Tom, it would be my honor,” he cleared his throat “What about Severina’s father, how are you handling that?”

“I’ll speak to her uncle Claudius officially, however, he has already stated his boundary: I’m not to interfere with her N.E.W.T.s. Which brings me to my next favor to ask you.”

Dumbledore’s eyes regained an expectant twinkle and Tom groaned.

———

Severina and Regulus left the others with a general nod before making their way to the Slytherin tables. Severina may have looked calm and peaceful enough on the outside, her lips and brow relaxed with a general pleasure of being back at Hogwarts, but inside she was thrilling. She loved the invigoration that each Welcoming Feast brought. She loved the beginning anticipation, the excitement for all the things to come, for new knowledge to gain, for experiences to have, laughter to share. She looked forward even to the struggles, challenges, and frustrations to overcome and conquer.

Regulus took a seat beside her and smiled down at her with the same excitement dancing in his eyes while his expression was calm and peaceful. His eyes left her for a moment to look to the head tables and his expression fell. Severina turned to see what it was that caught Regulus’s attention and her breath stopped in her throat and her heart froze mid-beat.

Tom Riddle sat beside Headmaster Dumbledore, chatting idly and scanning the room every once in a while. He didn’t focus in on the Slytherin table or on her, but by now the students noticed his presence and were whispering excitedly, wondering what Tom Riddle was doing at Hogwarts’s head table. Some of the older students (mostly girls) must have read the Moaning Myrtle piece because Severina felt the uncomfortable itch of unwanted attention. She looked around the room and the eyes on her blurred into faces, turning and whispering and giggling. The lump in her throat was hot and hard to swallow when she looked back toward the head table and met the eyes of Tom Riddle. He glanced at her a little longer than necessary and then turned to engage some of the Professors down the table.

Severina wasn’t sure if she was relieved or disappointed. What she did know for sure was that she was discomfited. Thankfully, before she could examine her emotions more closely, the first years filed in to be sorted.

She felt rather numb throughout the whole ceremony, clapping along when everyone else did. She couldn’t keep herself from observing him as he watched the ceremony. He clapped politely at each announcement of the sorting hat, but whenever a new Slytherin was called, he smiled a little smug as if the added numbers to Slytherin house were a personal victory.

Perhaps it was a victory for him. He was the heir of Slytherin after all.

When Severina was sorted into Slytherin while her friends were all sorted into Gryffindor, it had been Tom Riddle who made her not resent her sorting. Whenever she lamented not being a Gryffindor with Lily, she would imagine that Tom Riddle would have been proud of her for being a Slytherin. Now, watching him, she knew he would’ve been. When she met him and was finally able to tell him that she was a Slytherin, he looked pleased and it meant everything to her. Every day that she had to walk to the dungeons while Lily turned to the tower, they all felt worth it when he smiled.

Tom Riddle was her idol. She had put him on a pedestal and admired him as her hope for all she could accomplish in her life. He had unknowingly been her support and encouragement. He had proved to the world how much a wizard could accomplish no matter where he started. He was the embodiment of ‘making something of yourself.’ Severina wanted that for herself too.

She had thanked him, so she could put him behind her and grow passed her childish idolatry. Now, she wondered if that hadn’t been a mistake. Thoughts of him haunted her more often than ever and worse now because she knew what it was like to hear his voice, to be caught in his gaze, to be tempted by his smile and his charm. Now it was worse because he kept showing up when she least expected him.

Myrtle’s article couldn’t be true, could it? She looked again at Mr. Riddle. The last first-year was sorted into Hufflepuff and Dumbledore stood to approach the podium. Mr. Riddle remained respectful and attentive. Surely his being here was a coincidence. He was probably garnering support and popularity for the upcoming election. It would be folly for her to think otherwise, to let her heart soften at all to the idea that Tom Riddle would have any serious interest in her. It would be best to put it out of her mind completely, lest she be destroyed when she inevitably found it all to be a political ploy.

When Tom Riddle’s eyes glanced again in her direction she looked away.

Regulus spoke close to her ear, “I know what you said on the train, but Sev, he’s here for you.”

“No, I’m sure you’re wrong Reg... I’m sure there is a reasonable explanation.” and Severina told herself that she’d be relieved once all the hype over the rubbish gossip died down.

Her eyes watched Tom Riddle as Dumbledore explained that he was here at Hogwarts as a favor to himself. Despite all of her words and thoughts to the contrary, maybe her heart had hoped a little that he might be there for her.

———

“He, unfortunately, cannot spare the time to teach a full schedule, but Mr. Riddle has agreed to tutor our OWL and NEWT students in his free-time apart from preparing to be our next Minister of Magic.” Headmaster Dumbledore explained.

“Now, now Headmaster, I haven’t been elected yet.” Tom chuckled.

The room laughed and Tom smirked. His eyes glanced towards Severina but hers avoided his and turned to the Headmaster.

“I urge all OWL and NEWT students to take advantage of Mr. Riddle’s available group time slots which will be posted in all common rooms. Now, for my last announcement, Professor Kettleburn is taking a sabbatical this year and his replacement... well he’s running a bit late it would seem...”

Dumbledore smirked knowingly as a thundering stomping could be heard approaching the large double doors of the Dining Hall.

Tom gasped, “It can’t be,” and he turned wide-eyed up to Albus who winked down at him.

The doors swung open with a loud crash and an, “Oops. Sorry. I should’n ‘ve dun dat.”

The half-giant in the doorway seemed made entirely of muscle. His curly-black hair was tied up in a bun on the top of his head and his beard may have been neatly trimmed at one time but seems to be smoldering. He started toward the head table bashfully scratching the back of his neck, while his beard left a trail of smoke and the scent of burnt hair.

“Sorry I’m late. ‘ad a wee Hebridean Black hatch today an’ I jus ‘ad to be ther for ‘im didn’ I?”

By this time the half-giant had already reached half-way across the room and Tom Riddle had shot from his seat,

“Rubeus!” Tom Riddle’s rich deep voice echoed across the room and the large man stopped.

“Tom?” He said, sounding choked by emotion.

All eyes in the room shifted from one man to the other waiting with anticipation. What everyone was waiting for, no one knew but certainly no one expected to see the heir of Slytherin leap over the table to greet the half-giant. The two gripped each other’s arms and laughed in relief like long-lost brothers reunited.

Albus Dumbledore was enjoying himself too much and announced, “Ah, yes, allow me to introduce this year’s Care of Magical Creatures Professor, Rubeus Hagrid.”

“Truly?” Tom Riddle asked, “You’ll be home all year?”

“O aye, ‘ear you will be too.” Hagrid laughed.

“Well Hogwarts couldn’t ask for a better Care of Magical Creatures Professor in Kettleburn’s absence. Rubeus, here, has saved my life at least a dozen times and helped me find my familiar. Nagini will be please to see you again.”

“Shucks well, I might’nt ‘ave ‘ad ter save your life so much if you’d not such a bad habit of finding dark creatures and try’na poke ‘em wit a stick.”

“No. Suppose I should have tried cuddling them instead?” Tom laughed.

Hagrid clapped Tom on the shoulder, “Ther you are, Tom! Your gett’n it now, finally. Nearly lost hope fo’ ya.”

Dumbledore cleared his throat and reluctantly broke up their reunion. He made room for Tom and Rubeus to sit next to him at the head table and announced,

“Let the Feast begin!” and food finally appeared on the tables for all.

Tom enjoyed catching up with Hagrid but got the sense that his friend’s attention wanted to turn to the Transfiguration teacher... Mc— something or other. So he introduced them or reintroduced them rather, since they had all been in school together, apparently.

Severina was engaged in conversation with Narcissa Black while the Regulus Black pretended not to be listening in. Narcissa looked up at the head table and saw him looking in their direction. She must have told Severina because she looked quickly at him and then looked away again before Tom even had a chance to smile at her.

Tom sighed and turned to Dumbledore, “Am I making a fool of myself, Albus?”

Albus Dumbledore hummed a little before answering, “Tom… This isn’t anything like you’ve dealt with before. It isn’t academics, politics, or curse breaking. I think you’ll find that this the most powerful, challenging and rewarding type of magic you have ever come across,’ he chuckled, ‘In other words, to put it simply, yes. You’re in love Tom. You’re supposed to be making a fool of yourself.”

“Well that’s encouraging.” Tom huffed.

Albus saw Tom staring a little forlorn towards Severina, “So how long have you know Miss Sn—Prince. Goodness, I’m too old to have my students changing their names all the time.”

“I’ve met her twice already.”

“Twice? Sorry I’m confused…”

“I knew the moment I saw her, Albus.” Tom declared.

“Tom that’s... incredible.” He said but his voice sounded more like he meant ridiculous. “Remind me, the next step of public courtship, after you declare your intent?”

“Well, I have to wait for her to approach me. If I speak first I forfeit my suit as being an unworthy impatient brute. ” Tom chuckled.

“And you’re sure she’ll approach you?”

“Eventually,” Tom said and suddenly didn’t feel so sure.

Chapter Text

Tom Riddle returned home, weary from his day of campaigning. Wispy greeted him at the door. Her eyes looked larger than normal and she pulled on her ears painfully.

“There be a wizard waiting for Master in Master’s study.”

“Oh? Who is the wizard?” He asked.

“Wispy is not knowings. Wispy is not knowings how the wizard gots in and Wispy’s not being able to gets him out.”

“What?”

“Wispy is being sorry Master.” She wailed.

“Wispy that’s enough. Go to your room. I’ll take care of it.”

Damn Nagini and her damn infatuation with Rubeus. Had she been here instead of Hogwarts, she would have taken care the intruder. Not that Tom was overly put out. He hadn't felt this much excitement since he was curse breaking in the pyramids of Egypt. Wand ready, he pressed himself against the wall and swung the door open, firing a curse into the room. The curse acted like a rapid machine-gun fire of crippling stuns. When the flashes of magic died down he cleared the smoke and pointed his wand at the intruder.

Claudius Prince sat calmly in his wheelchair in the middle of his now-charred study, completely unharmed.

“If you are quite done, Riddle. We need to talk.”

Tom pinched his lips together and tried to turn it into a smile, “Might I offer you some refreshments, Mr. Prince?” He asked, while he repaired his favorite chair and sat across from the other wizard.

“Tea would be lovely thank you.”

Tom called for Wispy and ordered their tea while Claudius Prince continued,

“I read the most interesting article in The Daily Profit today,” he conjured the paper, unrolled it and read:

“When questioned as to whether the rumor of Mr. Riddle’s public courtship to one Ms. Severina Prince is true, Mr. Riddle answered:

“Absolutely. I’ve been running away from home long enough. How am I to offer myself to Wizarding Britain as Minister of Magic if any be in doubt of my abilities in commitment and devotion. I am not a man of halves, but a wizard of making things whole. Have I not always been? I intend for my courtship and future marriage to be a symbol to all of Britain of my utmost sincerity to my country. And if Ms. Prince refuses as is her power to do at any time during our public courtship, then my heart will belong to none, but Britain. This is my vow from the onset so that all may rest assured in a future with me. As I seek to prove this to Ms. Prince, I shall prove it to Britain as well.”

“Enchanting speech, Mr. Riddle. Truly.”

“Thank you, Claudius. May I call you Claudius? We will be family after all.”

“That is yet to be seen and no you may not.”

Tom bit his tongue and smiled tightly. Thankfully, Wispy came just then, with tea. Both wizards took a fortifying sip. Tom was prepared to sit patiently and wait for Claudius to show his hand, but Claudius was not interested in more power plays. He already had the upper hand.

“You’ve turned my niece, my nearest relation, only recently returned to me after years of estrangement because of my foolish sister... as dear to me as any daughter would be...” his voice nearly shook with anger, “and you turn her into a political ploy.” He tossed The Daily Profit at Tom’s feet, Tom’s image waving and smiling to the ceiling.

Tom arched an eyebrow and said evenly, “Severina will want for nothing. She will be the envy of much of the wizarding world. You should feel honored. I could have had any witch, but I chose Severina. Don’t you wish to know why?”

“I do not need you to tell me why Severina would make a worthy wife for any wizard. But I would have preferred any wizard to you, Tom Marvolo Riddle.”

Tom’s nostrils flared a little and then he laughed.

“Oh? And why is that? Let me guess... you take an opposing political view?”

“No. Not at all. There is something that has always disturbed me about you, Tom Riddle. You seem to lack basic empathy.”

Tom’s expression didn’t even flinch.

Claudius continued, “Have you even thought of how Severina would feel about this?” He asked pointing to the paper, “Have you thought of her at all?”

“I do nothing, but think of her...”

“Maybe. Maybe, you have thought about her, but you have not thought of her. I could go on, but I cannot deny that you have very cleverly backed us all into a corner. Severina will not be able to refuse you without shaming herself and our family in the eyes of the wizarding world. I have written to her and she will play along as long as needed.” Claudius rubbed a tired hand across his brow. “I have come to set my boundaries...”

“You already have.”

Claudius glared at him, “I think I would remember...”

“You said not to interfere with her NEWTs and I will not. Indeed, I will be tutoring OWLs and NEWTs this year. I guarantee the highest scores Hogwarts has seen in generations,” Tom replied smugly.

Claudius spat under his breath, “You Bastard.”

“My parents were married, actually.” Tom shifted a little in his seat to vanish his tea to the kitchen, “If it eases your mind at all, Albus Dumbledore has agreed to play the part of my father during the courtship and has set his boundary. I am to remain chaste until the wedding.”

Tom had fumed when Albus set the boundary. No matter, they would just enjoy a lengthy honeymoon.

Claudius seemed to slump in relief and let out a sigh, “I’ll have to send him a fruit basket.”

Albus would probably love that.

———

Albus did love his fruit basket and grinned triumphantly at Tom when he received it the next day. Not that Tom let it bother him too much. He would see Severina soon. Granted she would be with several of her classmates, but he was certain she would find a way to approach him at some point.

He turned a corner on his way to the room he had been assigned for his tutoring lessons and found Severina in the embrace of another. She had her arms around him, her cheek resting on his chest and her head tucked under his chin. Her eyes were closed.

The boy was not one he had met at the Malfoy’s party. He had sandy-blonde hair and plain features. The boy pressed his lips into her hair spoke something softly.

She nodded against him and Tom could hear her say,

“Thank you, Remus.”

Her eyes opened and Tom locked on to the black of her eyes. She pulled slowly away from the boy. The boy too looked over to see him standing there.

---

Severina had been completely closed off to her friends ever since she received her Uncle’s letter.

A political ploy.

She was going to marry Tom Riddle.

She felt completely numb all day. Like she couldn't process the situation at all. It hardly seemed real.

Her friends noticed her behavior, of course. They knew she needed space and as soon as she was ready, she would tell them what was going on. She didn't need to tell them when they saw The Daily Profit. Everyone in school knew and were watching her and whispering.

She would see him today. She and her friends had a tutoring slot reserved.

She wondered if she should skip.

She wasn't sure if she was ready to see him. Her Uncle explained that Mr. Riddle wouldn't be able to approach her until she approached him.
She had so many questions. She just wasn't sure she was ready for the answers.

She was almost impressed. It was a Slytherin move and she really could not expect less from the last remaining heir. Had he made a private offer, her Uncle would have likely refused or at least asked that he wait until she finished at Hogwarts, but then it would’ve hurt his chances in the election. Despite his popularity, his opponents would most definitely have used his bachelorhood and propensity towards restlessness against him.

To gain the Prince Wizengamot seats... He didn't need them, he was likely to have the majority on his side, but to have the Prince seat which have been staunchly independent for generations... It would be total control. He would be the single most powerful and influential wizard in Britain. More than any Minister before him.

It was bold and cunning, it warmed her belly to think of it. It made a certain sense, but to be forced into it as she was... It hurt. He was using her like a pawn on a chess board and no amount of admiration for his strategy could ease the acute pain and fear she felt.

She would fall in love with him and he would break her heart. He would absolutely break her.

She only ever wanted to be free and independent. It was the whole point of meeting him, to start her life independent of his scholarship. Now she would forever be bound to him, to his name.

Somehow she had to hold on to herself and to her independence. She would have to counter-move.

So troubled were her thoughts, she didn't realize her friends had gone into the room while Remus offered to stay behind with her.

“Severina, ” he said, “I know that you have a lot on your mind right now. I want you to know that if you want to talk about it, I’m always here to listen. Also... if he does anything that makes you uncomfortable… You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do. We care about you Sev. Your friends care about you. We will support you in whatever decision you make. I just want you to know, we will always be here for you.”

Severina leaned into him and wrapped her arms around his waist and rested her head under his chin. She closed her eyes as he hugged her back. Remus and James were the best for hugs.

She felt his lips against her hair and he heat of his breath as he spoke softly,

“Everything is going to be okay, Severina.”

“Thank you, Remus.”

Now, if she had to marry, why couldn’t she have ended up with a gallant, chivalrous, knight-in-shining armour, Gryffindor like Remus Lupin?

Her answer came like a shock to her chest when she opened her eyes and was met with Tom Riddle’s intense gaze. Gods, but he was an impressive sight to behold. All thoughts of knights and shining armor darkened in the shadow he cast.

She opened her mouth to greet him, but then closed it resolutely. If she were to make a counter move, if she were to claim a measure of independence for her future, she needed to start now and she needed time. He had the upper hand and more experience, besides.

Remus cleared his throat, “Mr. Riddle, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” He offered out his hand to shake with a casual ease that was completely Remus, “I’m a friend of Severina’s, Remus Lupin, Sir.”

Most everyone Remus met, took to him immediately. He had a way of setting people at ease and made them feel open and welcomed. It wasn't unusual for Remus to meet a complete stranger and have them telling him their life story.

Mr. Riddle, however, seemed immune to whatever charms Remus was able to exude at the moment. Not that he let on or was rude at all to Remus, but Severina could see it in his eyes and could feel it come off of him like a tidal wave.

Remus felt an inexplicable fear course through him as Mr. Riddle took his hand, “Mr. Lupin, a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I'm most happy to know any friend of Severina’s.”

His eyes returned to hers after releasing Remus’s hand and she caught her tongue in her throat and told it to be still.

---

He waited almost six weeks. He waited and watched frustrated with impatience.

Tom tutored her and her friends once a week, but they never spoke. It was a torture he lived for just to be in the same room as her. She wasn’t a beauty that anyone would expect but the sight of her flooded him with a longing that threatened to burst his veins.

Severina was never without her friends. Lily Evans was her near constant companion and there was a genuine affection between the two witches that bled into the others like a heartbeat. Tom had always been good at reading people, especially people’s motives which were always boringly selfish. When it came to Severina and her friends, however, Tom felt his intuition obscure with his intensity of feeling.

Emotions were a messy thing and every night after seeing her, when he was alone and logical he would question why he wanted this at all, but then the next day he would wake up empty and alone, counting the hours until he could just be in her presence again.

Severina was intentionally avoiding him and her friends were doing their utmost to posture their protection over her. He was growing more certain that at least three of her friends were infatuated with her— the two Black brothers and that Remus Lupin. Lucius Malfoy even would visit from time to time with Narcissa and Tom would wonder if the Potter boy and Lucius shared the fate of being passed over and redirected to one of her friends.

Tom shook himself. Gods, he hoped Severina would approach him soon, he was falling into teenage drama. Also, he wasn't sure how long he could pacify the public as to the progress of his courtship. His saving grace was Mr. Prince’s set boundary and Severina’s own reputation for being a studious and serious student.

He needed someone with whom he could vent, but Nagini had also decided to avoid him.

After the fifth tutoring session of Severina’s friends and a present but silent Severina, Tom felt that he had been more than patient... Honestly, he was surprised he lasted this long.

“Miss Evans,” he called after Severina’s friend as they started to leave, “Could I have a moment of your time?”

“Uh...” she looked at the group and waved them ahead, “yeah, of course, Mr. Riddle.”

Severina looked back once before waiting out in the hall with the others. Ms. Evans played with the ends of her hair— a nervous tick. Which she noticed she was doing and threw her auburn hair behind her shoulder.

“Impressive charm work today, Miss Evans.” He started.

“Oh! Thank you, Mr. Riddle. Is that what you wanted to talk to me about?” She asked, confused.

“No.” He answered shortly and leaned back against the desk, “How is Severina doing?”

“She’s...” her eyes darted around looking for the right answer, “Uh... She’s fine. She’s just...” but she cut herself off.

Tom pretended to consider for a moment before he made his move, “You have been friends since before Hogwarts, is that right?”

“Yes, how did you...”

“Severina told me, the first time we met. I can tell that you two are very close.” He gave her a moment to nod in the affirmative, “Tell me... what sort of wizard did you imagine your friend ending up with one day?”

She bit her lip before answering, with a self-deprecating laugh, “Severina is not... she’s not the kind of witch to entertain romantic notions. I used to tease her that there is probably only one wizard in the whole world who could tempt her into being a romantic.”

Tom’s brow wrinkled, “Who?”

Her eyes met his and she blushed as she smirked, “You.”

Tom’s heart skipped and he didn’t noticed the pleased smile that pinched into his cheeks.

Ms. Evans left the room and Tom could hear Potter ask, “What was that about, then?”

“Charms,” came her answer.

Chapter Text

Severina approached him the next he was on campus, despite not being her day to see him. He was caught off guard, but more than pleased to hear her voice, finally. Her voice was like a blanket over him and her scent of jasmine and sandalwood smelt like coming home. He felt the relief of her like dry soil must feel the rain.

“Mr. Riddle,” she came up beside him on his way onto the grounds toward the Care of Magical Creatures lessons. Rubeus asked for his assistance and Tom was hoping to nag his familiar into coming home sometime soon.

He knew Severina would approach him eventually. He knew his conversation with Ms. Evans would bring her around. Still, the reality of her was overwhelming and he couldn't find his voice.

She didn’t seem to notice, however, and continued, “I understand we have much to talk about. Even though, I personally think you would have done better, personality-wise to have chosen another, I do understand the advantageous match the Prince heiress must have presented. My own feelings on the matter aside, I can at least admire your strategy.”

Tom wasn't sure if he should laugh aloud or feel something other than amusement... She was right of course, but all of that had come second. All of that had simply been how the rest of the world was supposed to see them. Tom knew better and he would tell her too... that was all happenstance. There was something deeper at work. There was something real and true. Something beyond reason and ambition.

Something like true love.

Tom Riddle noted many things about Severina while she talked, but something stuck out acutely. Listening to her sounded so much like Albus when in the midst of a chess game. Albus played ten moves ahead, but Tom didn’t play that way. Tom didn’t learn the game to understand strategy. Tom learned his opponent and played them. While Albus strategized, Tom studied Albus.

Severina’s mind seemed to work more like Albus’s. She didn’t watch him, she watched his moves and she was missing half the picture. She was missing the look in his eyes whenever he saw her. She missed how all the muscles in his back and shoulders seemed to suddenly relax whenever she was near. She missed how his smile would change whenever she was happy. How he himself was more genuine, more real, more... whole because of her.

Somehow, he was going to have to tell her...

She continued, “I think we can come up with a comfortable arrangement. We needn’t discuss all right now, but I do hope we can at least agree to be friends,” she said her peace and held out her hand.

Well Tom wasn’t going to pass up the advantage of her finally approaching him, and also initiating touch. So he took her hand.

“Friends then, Severina,” for now he would agree but not for long.

She nodded sharply at the handshake, “Thank you, Mr.—“

“Tom, Severina. Tom.”

“Tom,” her cheeks pinked and he wanted to brush his fingers across them and feel their heat.

“Well, Severina, do you have time later? I have agreed to help Rubeus but after... well you did say that we have a lot to talk about.”

He would rather skip it all together... She made him wait for over five weeks, she could be made to wait an hour. He left her with a smirk and the hope of finally explaining himself and winning her heart in return.

———

Damn Tom Riddle! Damn that man... Severina paced the around on the grounds waiting for him to emerge from where the class let out several minutes ago. She nearly decided to turn toward the castle...

“Severina.”

His voice was behind her and she spun to see him. He looked... troubled.

“Class go alright?” she asked.

“Yes. Just fine.” He pinched his lips together, “I haven't been able to locate Nagini. I thought she was with Rubeus. She had been but he says he hasn't seen her in a couple weeks.”

“Oh,” she said, not really sure how to help.

“She’ll turn up eventually. She always does and she is very capable of caring for herself. Much like a certain witch I know,” he winked at her and just like that, her walls started to crack around her heart.

“Y-you wished to discuss the courtship? And the election?” She reminded him.

He smirked a little and chuckled, “Not at all, but there are things I want to make sure you are aware of... in regards to the courtship.”

He offered her his arm which she took and he walked them towards a nearby bench seat. “The politics will be easy enough. If you see a camera, smile and wave. If you are asked a question divert it to me. If I am not with you, simply say something along the lines of, “I’m sure my future husband, will address the issue in due time.””

He paused and she could have sworn his smile turned teasing as she blushed deeply at the term husband. He gestured for her to take a seat and he sat beside her. The air was cooling with the setting sun. She cast a warming charm over them and he blinked at her as if he hadn't expected her to. His eyes softened and his shoulders relaxed. He sat so near her, she could feel his warmth more than any charm.

Severina swallowed around the knot in her throat and tried to turn back to the conversation, “And as to the courtship? Now that I have approached you...”

“Yes, now things will progress a little more quickly. Being a public courtship, everything must appear out and in the open. That doesn’t mean we can’t meet privately, but we would be bending the rules a bit.”

He was being cheeky and she let herself laugh. It was just like joking around with Sirius or James, she told herself. Friends. He agreed to being friends and she knew how to do that. Friendships are easier than romance. Her laugh widened his smile and his eyes seemed to shimmer with triumph at her laugh.

He continued, “I will shower you with gifts, attention, make some grand gestures. We will attend public gatherings together. Dine out at the more prestigious restaurants. Our “fathers” will be our chaperons during public appearances or they will designate others to fill that role. Everything will appear very proper and above board.”

Severina smirked and arched her eyebrow, “Everything will appear proper?” She challenged him and realized that she was flirting. She looked away to regain control of herself and shifted uncomfortably.

She didn’t look back at him, until she felt her hands being claimed by his.

“Severina… A public courtship is not about what we do or about what the public sees. It's about the symbolism.’

She studied his face as he held her eyes earnestly and continued, “A public courtship… comes with it an understanding that the man is so serious about the woman he is courting, that he is basically shouting it from the roof tops and if she refuses he is disgraced, he cannot court or marry another because he has basically told the world that his heart belongs to only one.'

“Some gifts, while they can be refused, cannot be given back. Like the gift you gave me. You engraved our names on it. If I had refused it, you couldn’t have given it to someone else. A public courtship… It is as if your name has been engraved on my heart. I can never belong to anyone else.”

Severina sprung to her feet without even thinking, freeing her hands and staring at him wide-eyed. Her mind was a jumble of thought and questions.

“I don’t understand.” She said aloud, because truly she didn’t, “Why would you… It doesn’t make any sense. Why would you… with me? Why? Just… why?”

He was on his feet and trying to reclaim a physical hold on her but she stepped away and a shook her head.

“Severina…”

“I— I just.. I need to think,” She said and then she left him.

He didn’t follow her, but the next day she receive an owl.

My Dear Friend,

It is tradition in courtship for a man to write a love letter…

She hissed through her teeth as if the words had stung her. She stuffed it in her potions books and waited to read it. She could barely concentrate all day, so when Professor Slughorn asked for a volunteer to get a few ingredients from the edge of the Forbidden Forest, she readily agreed.

She needed the distraction.

She was nearly finished with her gatherings when she checked her book against the herbs and her letter fell out.

The parchment rested against the grass— a bit of white alone among the brown and greens of the earth. How lonely it looked.

Her breath shuttered and she picked it up with uncertain fingers. Her eyes and heart were eager for his words. Would he reiterate what he declared yesterday? That his heart belonged to her and no one else? Was her heart expected to resist such a declaration?

Her mind declared yes. Yes, above all resist this. This could hurt beyond any pain yet experienced. This could consume and destroy individuality in favor of his wants and his needs. Her mind shouted, do not lose yourself!

So she read his words while a war raged within her,

My Dear Friend,

It is tradition in courtship for a man to write a love letter, poem or sonnet to his beloved. I am no poet, but I am a man who loves. I wish to write her something that could communicate the depths to which cupid’s arrow has pierced my heart. My dear friend, will you help me write my love into words?

Perhaps I should tell you about her, but I confess, I cannot. I cannot even begin because she keeps much of herself hidden from me and so, I need your help. You know her well, could you tell me about her? I believe you are the only one who truly could. You are the one who carries all her secrets. Tell me, please, I beg you.

Tell me who taught her to smile? Who first heard her laugh and cherished it for what it was— a rare and wondrous gift? I know it wasn’t me and I jealously wish it had been. I wish they were all for me because, you see, her happiness is food to my heart and my heart is starving. It has never known hunger such as this. My heart had been starved for so long it hadn’t even attributed its emptiness to hunger until it tasted her smile and knew the flavor of her laugh.

Teach me how, Severina, I beg you. We, neither of us, are masters of love but you are my love’s master, so then let me be your pupil. Let me study under you and you can teach me how to win her.

It’s not that I will die without her. I will survive. I lived before I met her, surely I can continue on without her, but think of my heart, Severina. My mind and body may survive and continue on, but my heart with starve to death.

What is a man without a heart? I can tell you what such a man is because I have been that man all my life. He is empty. He is a shell of a man with all the appearances of humanity and none of the substance.

So, you see, Severina, I need her. More importantly, I need her love. I need it as I need food and drink and air to breathe.

Will you help me then, my friend? Now that you understand, a little, the necessity of all of these words, will you help me tell her?

I cannot write or speak my love onto her heart, but you can. You are the only one who can translate my words into the language of her heart. You are the only one who can reach into her soul and find space there where my love could live.

You are the only one because you are her, Severina. You are my love, but then you have known all along. I made it no secret. I have announced it to the world, you are the owner of my heart. As meager as a starving heart may be, it is yours nonetheless.

Will you not find a little space in your soul for mine?

I should warn you. It will flourish there. It will grow rapidly. Once it finds the fertile soil of your soul and feels the bright warmth of your love, it will grow roots that cannot be pulled. Your happiness would be rain to it. Like a weed it won’t take much care before it spreads selfishly over the ground and digs greedily deep into the soil. It is not a thing any would want and I understand your reluctance to plant such a thing.

I am, however, what I am. A slave to my nature, I cannot be what I am not. Just as I cannot expect you to be anyone but yourself. It is a heavy favor I have asked of you. It is a burden that I would not care to bare if I were in your place. So know, that it is with understanding I lay myself at your mercy. Should you refuse, I should not blame you, but I cannot simply withhold my heart when it is your name engraved on it. It is not mine to hold, but only to present at your feet.

It has always been yours, though neither of us knew it. When you walked into my life we found it together, forgotten and unused. You thought it was mine, but I knew it was yours.

So tell me quickly, my heart’s fate. Does it live or does it die? My love belongs to you and you alone, it is in your power to do with it as you wish. Only you cannot return it. You must choose whether to nurture it or to let it starve. Can you blame me, then, for begging for its life?

Be my savior, Severina, I beg you. You are the only one who can.

Yours Always,
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Severina clasped her hand over her mouth and gasped into her palm. The sky darkened with heavy clouds and cast shadows over the letter. Severina folded the letter back into her book and placed the book into her ingredient bag.

She tried to make her way back to the castle but the rain started to pour and Severina stepped under a nearby tree. She pressed her back into the bark of the tree and tried not to weep.

She heard the snap of a twig beside her and Tom Riddle brushed his wet hair back out of his face,

Severina’s voice felt heavy, speaking before he had a chance, “You know, I never thought I’d actually meet you in person. I thought I might have to drop off my gift to your house-elf or something.” Her self-deprecating laugh was painful and short, “Now, I can’t escape you.”

He took a step toward her and reached his hand out, but she stepped away from him. Out from the cover of the tree the rain fell into her hair, splashed her shoulders and dripped down her face.

“Why are you trying to escape me?” He asked with gripping pain, ripping the words from his throat.

“Because you’re trying to catch me,’ She accused him, ‘and I don’t understand why! I don’t know what you want from me! Do you want money? Do you want more votes? Something that the Prince name could offer you? Wizengamot seats?”

“No, Severina…” Tom shook his head and stepped out into the rain with her. He grabbed her by her arms and pulled her into his chest trying to stop her tirade, but she only continued to question him.

“Or-or what? Is it more base than that, then? You got tired of witches just throwing themselves at you, you thought it would be more entertaining…’ she couldn’t finish her line of thought and instead snapped at him, ‘I’m no man’s entertainment!”

“I know. I know that. Severina, it’s nothing like that, I swear. Haven’t you read my letter yet?” His voice crumbled. His eyes were desperate and the rain was soaking them both. His hair washed down his forehead, stopping at his brow and the rain dripped passed his eyes.

“Yes,” she gasped and shook her head, “What do you hope to gain? What are you gaining?” Her voiced strained and begged him to answer her honestly. Because she didn't understand this kind of love... A love that she didn't choose, but rather chose her.

He worked his jaw and his eyes grew hot and red. He grabbed her hand which was fisted at her side, and pulled it into his chest just above his heart.

“This.” He answered and thumped her fist against his heart and again repeating, “This.”

His eyes were red but any tears were hidden by the rain. His chest stuttered like it hurt to breath, his voice was strained and desperate, “I love you.”

Severina shook her head and looked at him sadly. His face twisted as if she had stabbed his heart with her fist. She dropped her head back, gasping into the sky. The rain fell onto her face and plastered locks of hair to her forehead and cheeks.

“Can it be true? Can it be real?” She questioned the rain.

“Yes, Severina, it is true. It is real. I love you.”

“I don’t want… I don’t want to…” She started to cry. Tom brushed her hair from her face and ran his palm over her hair. “I don’t want to fall in love,” she sobbed.

Tom released a heavy breath and pulled her closer. He let his head fall softly toward her and kissed the swell of her cheek above her cheekbone. His lips whispered over to her temple and he pressed his lips into the tender skin there too. Severina sobbed at each tender kiss he peppered across her face.

“Why not, Severina?” His husky voice rasped as he reached the shell of her ear.

She tried to shove him away from her, but he kept her in his arms.

“Because love destroys people! Look at you! You are to be the next Minster of Magic, you’ll have all of Wizarding Britain in your palm, but here you are standing in the rain… and you look broken...”

“Because you won’t let me… You refuse to give me a chance… Damn it, Severina! I never knew feelings like this even existed! Not for me… You’re right, love has destroyed me. I’m completely destroyed by it. I’ve never felt or experienced anything like this before, nothing remotely like this. I know you don’t believe me. I know you doubt me, but I had never known anything but numbness until…’ his words had come out frantic until he choked on the memory and he spoke with more calm, ‘You stood in the middle of the sitting room at my house… and it had never felt like home so much before.”

His hand reached up and cupped her jaw. His thumb caressed her cheek.

“I don’t think I ever had a home before I met you.”

Severina’s eyes clamped shut as her chin trembled and her breath shuddered. Tom dropped his forehead to hers and the rainfall softened.

Severina spoke, her voice sore with emotion, “I never wanted to fall in love. I tried so hard not to and thought I was succeeding. I thought I was stronger… that I had built up enough boundaries and defenses… but I know now that I had loved you before I had ever walked into that room and as soon as you had opened door, you destroyed all my defenses. I keep trying to build them back up and you keep knocking it down again and again. I’m so exhausted from fighting this.”

Tom tucked her under his chin and pulled her to his chest. His grip on her was fierce and despite her words, she clung to him with strength.

Severina’s voice was muffled by his shirt, “It frightens me, how much power you have to hurt me and more deeply than anyone else.”

Tom slackened his hold and brought his hand to lift her face to his.

“I’d rather die than hurt you. I don’t know how else to explain it, but I’d rather die than ever hurt you. You have that same power over me too… All I can promise, is to never intentionally hurt you and do my damnedest never to unintentionally hurt you either.”

She nodded into his hand. He rested his lips against her forehead and he felt washed with relief. Her hands moved cautiously to his chest and up towards his neck. Tom’s eyes fluttered shut and he didn’t dare breathe while Severina let herself touch him. The path of her hands heated him to his soul and he never wanted to be cold again.

Her palms cupped his jaw and he let his head fall into her touch. He opened his eyes enough to watch her lips near his and when he felt their first kiss, he knew— this is what life tastes like.

Chapter Text

Severina felt as if she had been opened up. Tom had come into her life and opened all that she had closed off to everyone, even herself. Her eyes, her smile, and her laughter expressed openly with the confidence of the unafraid.

And Tom... he was better than anything she had once imagined him to be, but then she never imagined he would be in love with her.

Love... Severina still feared it a little. She was in love and it was everything she had always thought it to be. It was all-consuming; it was intoxicating; it was addicting. She was open and vulnerable and she didn't care. She had dropped her guard and now what?

Now, she just missed him all the time and wished he could be wherever she was. He was busy with political rallies and dinner parties. She hated the dinner parties she had the misfortune of attending. It wasn’t that he ignored her... Actually, he was rather attentive, but everyone wanted a piece of him. Also, it would often be obvious which witches had had a piece of him. It wouldn’t have bothered her if she wasn’t in love with him. It wasn't so much jealousy, but she didn’t know how else to describe it. Tom noticed, he leaned over and said,

“They are jealous of you, Severina. You effortlessly captured my heart where others had tried and failed. Even Wizarding Britain and the position of Minister of Magic couldn’t tempt me enough to stay. Only you, Severina. You are my home, remember?” He would say things like that to her and she would wish away every other person in the room.

She felt out of place in Tom’s world of fame. Her Uncle chaperoned them but due to his being an Unspeakable, had to make people think him an invalid and he couldn’t risk being in the papers. So, he wasn’t much help when it came to enjoying the dinner parties. Uncle Claudius was particularly unhappy with her future husband. She was pretty sure he intended to vote for Tom’s political opposition just out of spite.

So Severina felt alone in the midst of his fame. It’s not that she opposed being famous... she had imagined one day gaining notoriety, but she would have preferred it to be her own terms and her own merit.

She was more than a little exhausted by it all.

Despite her close love for her friends, Severina often sought out solitude simply so she could breath a little. People exhausted her.

The edge of the Forbidden Forest was her favorite hideaway. There was something about walking on the edge of something dark and potentially dangerous that thrilled her. She had gone in before. She and her friends had explored the Forest before and almost had been eaten by Acromantula. Sirius’s birthday was coming up, maybe he would like to tackle a giant spider again. Severina smirked and chuckled at the memory.

“Miss Prince?” A boisterous but kindly voice called out to her from the Forest.

Severina’s head snapped up and saw Professor Hagrid coming out of the Forest. His hair and clothes were covered in sticks and leaves and... was that an Acromatula web trailing off his arm?

Severina raised her eyebrow and asked evenly with a hint cheek, “Hello Professor, have you had a pleasant stroll through the Forbidden Forest?”

Professor Hagrid laughed uproariously, “Tom would’ve said ther same. Then tell mey I was wrong not ter invite ‘im.”

At the mention of Tom, Severina blushed and looked away. She loved him, she really did and it was wonderful... but it was agony too. Just as she knew love would be. It was as if, all of a sudden, her happiness and peace of mind was completely dependent on his presence. She never wanted to be so dependent on anyone.

“Aye? You ‘right, Miss Prince?”

She looked up at the gentle giant of a wizard and smiled. Professor Hagrid was easy to like. He was a quick favorite around the school already. His brown eyes filled with concern and she missed the jovial warmth that was usual in the large man’s expressions.

“Yes Professor, I am well. Thank you for asking.”

He didn’t seem convinced, but didn’t dig, “Hrmph, I’ve been lookin’ fer Nagini. Askin’ ‘round the Forest ‘bout ‘er. None’s seen ‘er.”

Severina’s neck started to feel funny at the angle she needed to look up at him as he neared. They walked together awhile and Severina was surprised by his calming aura. She’d come out here to be alone but found rest listening to Professor Hagrid talk. No wonder Tom had been so pleased to see his friend.

He continued, “Means if she’s not in the Forest. She’s in the Castle or not at Hogwarts at all. Migh’ be that she found a cool place an’ well... time slows for snakes when they’re cold. Tom thinks he’s mo’ snake than not. Bein’ Slytherin’s heir and all.”

Hagrid chuckled and blushed down at her, “I think you’ve warmed ol’ Tom up. Merlin knows he’s been wonderin’ cold all these years lookin’ fer some place warm. Time does seem to have been slow for Tom, he’s barely aged at all since I seen ‘im last. He’s warm ‘round you though. Does me good to see ‘im happy. ‘Spose I thank you fer that. Makin’ my friend ‘appy. Ne’er seen ‘im as ‘appy in all my time er knowin’ ‘im.’

“I been watchin you in class ‘n such. I ne’er could imagine what sort o’ witch might turn ol’ Tom’s ‘ead, but now that I know ya, I see it.

Severina was surprised how easy it was to open up to him when she confided, “I wont lie... his age bothers me. His experience... the way witches watch him.”

“Ladies always been watchin’ Tom. But he ne’er took to ‘em long, not like he does you. Like I said he’s been a wonderin’. You Slytherins call it ambition; I call it wonderin’.”

“What if he keeps wandering? What if I’m... I don’t know. What if once he’s had me, he’ll realize I’m not as special as he seems to think I am? I mean, he’s Tom Riddle... I know I’m not nothing, but I suppose I would have preferred meeting him later in life. After I have achieved something; after I’ve made something of myself the way he has. Then we would be more equal.”

“Whose ta say yer not already? I might’nt have known yer long but I known yer a lil’ and yer are special Miss Prince. Ain’t met a witch like yer before. You’re so much like ‘im, only a lil’ mo’ quiet. It’s like yer been made fer ‘im and dats the truth o’ it.”

“Professor— “

“Call me Hagrid or Rubeus if yer like. You’ll be like fami’y soon er‘nough.” He smiled bright.

Severina returned it with a polite smile, “Thank you, Rubeus. Truly, thank you for your confidence in me. Now,’ she smirked in a way that reminded Hagrid of Tom, ‘I’m not one to think much of school gossips, but I was wondering... what is the nature of your relationship with Professor McGonagall?”

The giant wizard turned beet red and Severina held in her chuckle. The two Professors had been smiling and blushing at each other all week.

He stammered, “Well yer see... Well Miss Prince, it was nice ter get talkin’ wit yer... but I’ve got ter getting ready fer class. Bye now,” and he left her in a hurry.

Severina chuckled as he practically ran off.

———

Tom had to laugh remembering Severina’s jealousy. If she only knew... but it seemed no amount of reasoning with her would compensate for his past. He would much rather her be with him at boring dinner parties and jealous than she be with those “friends” of hers.

Tom was regretting the election. He should have taken the year away from politics as Albus suggested and taught DADA. Then he could be at Hogwarts all the time. It was agony to have to be away all the time.

How could he have known that once he had her that he wouldn’t want to be anywhere but with her? Severina was wrong... he might be more experienced in many ways, but he wasn’t experience in love. In love, they were equals.

No, she was the more experienced. She was surround in love. Her friends were nearly always with her and those boys... they were all over her!

Even the Potter boy would put his arm around her, hug her, kiss her temple or her cheek. Tom had even overheard him called her “Love” before though Potter pretended as if it had been an accident and that he had meant Miss Evans.

Sirius Black was obnoxiously overt in his affection for her and Regulus Black was like a lovesick puppy trailing after her. Didn’t they know she was his? Hadn’t he made that abundantly clear? Then why were they always sitting so close to her, staring at her longingly with round puppy eyes? Tom had even seen Sirius Black, card his fingers through her hair to remove the leaves which he had dumped on her head so he could get her attention while they were “studying” on the grounds. Tom had nearly strangled the boy after coming upon that scene and overhearing him say to her,

“You’re adorable when you're angry.”

Oh, but Remus Lupin was by far the worse of them all! While the others vied for Severina’s attention, Lupin won it more often than not. While the others touched Severina... and they were always touching her! Her arm, her hair, her back, her hand... taking hold of her, tickling her... all pathetic boyish attempts at gaining her attention. They practically screamed, “look at me!” with their hands. Not Lupin, however, his touches were different; his smile was different. He and Severina were the calm in the storm of the others. Lupin’s calm drew her to him without her realizing it. He never touched her without it being an offer first. He would hover his hand and let her take it. He would sit and smile invitingly, waving his hand next to him and she’d sit. He would open his arms and let her walk into them, rather than how the others simply wrapped her up. Lupin seemed to ask with his body, “would you wrap me?”

Merlin, he HATED that boy! Tom would very much like to throw Lupin to a pack of werewolves! Now there’s a thought...

The only reason those boys still breathed- the ONLY reason- was the shift in Severina’s expression whenever she spotted Tom. She lit into a brilliant relief at the sight of him, as if she too felt the agony of their separations.

When he had come to the grounds where they had been studying, she saw him coming and nearly ran to him. He hadn’t needed to grab her and he hadn’t needed to offer patiently anymore either, because when he opened his arms, she threw her arms around him and they wrapped each other in their embrace. In his arms she complied when he leaned down to kissed her lips. She even tucked herself into his chest, melting into his embrace.

Tom had smirked at the boys and winked. Each one reddened and their expressions pinched; Potter and Sirius Black in anger and Regulus Black and Lupin in sad regret— all in loss. They lost. They had never stood a chance. They needed to know that and Severina needed to stay far from them.

Tom had a solution. All he had to do was have Severina by his side at every event possible; have her more involved in his work... he just had to keep her busy and with him and away from her friends. Eventually, they would grow apart and all go their separate ways... then she would only have him and he wouldn’t have to share. Tom smirked at the thought.

Tom spotted her coming up from the grounds alone. Thank Merlin she wasn’t with her friends. Once she saw him she smiled and waved. She wasn’t in her school robes, but in a casual knit dark-green sweater and jeans which hugged her tiny waist and conformed to the curve of her backside. Tom always wore business wear. He couldn’t remember the last time he even loosened his tie in public. He reached her and let out a breath he seemed to always hold inside, until he saw her and finally he could let it out. He cupped her cheek and looked into her black eyes,

“Oh, Severina, I love you,” he said with all the longing which warmed him whenever she was near.

She leaned into his palm and looked up at him and he wanted to believe that her eyes were saying “I love you,” because her lips didn't. She had only said it once. He said it all the time, because he couldn’t seem to stop saying it, it would just come out. She didn’t want to love him and that was the crux of it. She hadn’t wanted to fall in love, but she loved him. She had said so. Did she wish that she could’ve love someone else instead? Someone like Lupin? Someone who made everything a gentle offer? Someone who was patient?

“Severina... are you happy?” He asked her.

She nodded and hummed, “Yes, Tom, I’m happy.” She tucked herself under his chin.

Tom rested his cheek again her hair, “I’ve missed you.”

“Me too,” she said.

Tom smiled, “Would you come to dinner with me?”

“Another dinner party?”

“Yes, I’m afraid they will be necessary evils for the time being.”

Severina stepped back out of his arms and cross hers around her torso, “When?”

Tom felt the breeze where her warmth had vacated and it chilled him.

“Thursday, the third. Dumbledore will be there, I’m sure we can get you permission to stay an hour or two passed cur—“

“I can’t.”

“Sure you can...”

“No, the third is Sirius’s birthday,’ she shook her head with a little relief for an excuse, ‘I’ve made plans with my friends to celebrate.”

Sirius. Tom stiffened and his mind flashed to Sirius’s hands in her hair and pulling her in... Tom’s chest rose and fell hard. Stubborn girl.

His voice raised in anger, and was harsh and punctuated, “We are engaged— you and I. You’re supposed to be with me. You will be the wife of the next Minister of magic. You can’t always be frolicking about with your little friends. But what should I have expected from a teenager?,’ his nostrils flared and he snarled, ‘You are MINE! I absolutely forbid you from seeing those friends of yours again. You’ll accompany me to every event from here on out. If you are not in class or studying, then you will be by my side. Is that understood?”

Tom Riddle had seen grown men cower when faced with his anger. Severina, however, went eerily calm. Even though she was standing right in front of him, Tom felt that if he reached out and touched her she would not be there. She had become a wall in Severina’s shape. She had closed up all that she had opened to him.

Her voice was steady and quiet- just loud enough to hear, “I see. It is good that I’ve seen this side of you, Mr. Riddle, before we married. But understand, if you force me to choose between my friends and you.’ She enunciated softly, ‘You will lose.”

She walked around him and away from him towards the castle while Tom stayed trapped staring at the place where she had been. The only thing Tom could process was how cold he suddenly felt.

Chapter Text

Severina was right, love destroys people.

Tom threw The Daily Profit across the room with a tortured growl. Then he took his wand and incinerated it.

Malfoy’s owl flew in and dropped a missive. Tom snatched it out of the air and glared at it briefly,

“We need to do damage control NOW. We are on our way over.”

Great just what he needed, his “friends” to flock to him to save his PR, he thought sarcastically. Tom pulled at this hair until his scalp ached. He felt like his chest was caving in. Why couldn’t he breathe?

He straighten himself and walked over to his cabinet full of the finest whiskey from around the world. Then he grabbed whatever was closest and poured himself a glass. The whiskey burned his throat but the burn was dull compared to the sensation in his eyes.

Tom Riddle couldn’t remember ever truly crying in his life, but here he was because of love. Love had him falling to his knees with only whiskey warming his belly and he was weeping.

Even with this eyes clamped shut and the paper in ashes, the picture was still imprinted in his mind. Severina wrapped in Sirius’ arm and his hand guiding her face to his. Severina’s hands held a wrapped gift between them, resting over Sirius’ heart, and just as the picture repeated its loop, their lips met.

Tom heard his door open and he tried to rise.

“Tom?” Abraxas’s voice asked through the haze of Tom’s despair.

Arms helped him stand and moved him to a chair. Tom slumped into it and dropped his head into his hands.

“Where are your potions?” Nott asked.

Tom pointed vaguely toward a cabinet on the other side of the room. Yes, a calming draught was just what this situation called for. Maybe friends weren’t such a bad thing after all. Nott offered him a potion and Tom downed it. It wasn’t a calming draught.

Tom’s eyes shot up at Nott, “Did you give me a love potion antidote?”

Orion and Abraxas looked at Nott. Nott tilted his head to the side with a crease in his brow, “I just wanted to make sure.”

Tom stood up and went to his potions... Severina’s box lay open and the love potion antidote missing. He placed the now empty bottle back in and his fingers trailed over the three vials. Only one was full now. He shut the lid and read the inscription, To Mr. Tom Riddle with the deepest gratitude, your devoted servant, always, Severina Snape-Prince.

“Tom,” Abraxas started, “What are you going to do about the press?”

Tom shook his head, “It is within Severina’s right to reject my courtship, but she needs to release a public statement to that affect. The... picture of... isn’t necessarily enough.”

He needed to see Severina. He was scheduled to see her today for tutoring but the thought of seeing her in the same room with Sirius... he needed to see her now.

“Tom, where are you going?” Abraxas asked as Tom headed for the door.

“I need to speak to Severina.”

———

Severina stared in abject horror at the front page of The Daily Profit. The buzz of excited whisperings around the Dinning Hall felt she like drowning in white noise.

Oh no.

No.

Oh Tom... she needed to see him. She needed to tell him, it’s not what it looks like!

The picture... That was the extent of the kiss. Sirius kissed her when she gave him his birthday present, but it was just a brush of his lips against hers and she pushed him away.

She might be mad at Tom, but she was still in love with him. She was going to marry him, but she wasn’t going to be controlled by him. Not the way her mother let her father control her. Severina needed to establish that now, but she certainly wasn’t petty enough to publicly humiliate him in retaliation.

Their relationship was a little like a power play for her. He moved, she countered. She moved, then watched his reaction, but not about something like this...

After Tom’s Gryffindorian posturing he tried going after her but she had snapped at him, lowering her voice into a cool bite,

“Your ancestors would be ashamed of you; they are rolling in their graves. Even an average Gryffindor has more sense than the heir of Slytherin has shown today.”

Tom’s teeth had clamped down at the insult. He straightened himself and his eyes held an intensity which chilled her spine.

When he spoke, he had regathered an air of charm and dignity, but his words were as low and cool as hers had been if not more enticingly said, “I don’t think either of us are in a state of mind to saying anything productive today. I’ll leave you now. I hope Mr. Black enjoys his birthday.”

Then he had walked away and she hadn’t heard from him since. Honestly, she might’ve expected their positions to be reversed today. It would have been less surprising to see Tom Riddle on the cover of the Profit with another witch claiming the spot that he declared belonged to her. But that’s not what happened. It was her who was painted as the one who stepped out of their engagement.

Regulus and Narcissa sat on either side of her and neither knew what to say, or maybe they were simply waiting for her to speak first. Just as Severina meant to stand her Uncle’s owl landed in front of her with a note which looked like her Uncle had meant to keep short but seemed to squeeze as much as he could onto the short parchment,

“I know what I said before about playing his game to save our family’s reputation, but the more I learn of him the less inclined I am to continue in this political circus. The Prince family has been historically anti-politics, do not fear hurting our family name if you reject his suit. All you have to do is release a public rejection and all this will end. There will be backlash of course but gossip is fickle, it’ll soon hunt for juicer meat. You have my support in whatever you choose.”

Really her Uncle’s dislike of Tom should be reason enough to back out of the engagement. Severina’s heart felt like it was cracking down the middle. What if Tom wanted out of the engagement?

Severina stood suddenly leaving the table but as soon as she turned she ran into Sirius’s chest. He held her arms to steady her,

“Sev, are you alright? About the kiss… I’m sorry I got us in the paper like that.”

“Siri, I really have to g—”

He cut her off, “You don’t have to marry him, you know? I’ve been wanting to tell you… Sev… I—I’ve been in love with you since third year,”

Severina’s heart stopped. The noise of the room seemed to disappear and she could only hear him.

He bent down to her ear, “When you saved me from being eaten by Acromantula. Do you remember?” He chuckled at the memory and pressed his cheek to hers a little, “You are truly an incredible witch and I’m so in love with you. I would be good to you, Sev, if you choose me. I swear it... I love you so much.”

He pulled back and Severina felt her jaw go slack. Oh Siri…

He continued, “I just want to make sure you know, you don’t have to marry him. You barely know him. We’ve known each other for nearly seven years and I have loved you for most of it. Besides he’s old enough to be your father for fucks sake..” his face pinch in bitterness which he tried to shake off, “Sorry. But we are friends first and always… if not me…” his eyes glanced at his brother whose face was pinched and looking down at the floor, “You should at least know, you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to.”

“Siri… I don’t know what to say… No, wait I do…” She swallowed and looked him in the eyes. She did love Sirius as a friend and her ears rang with the pain she would have to inflict on him, “Thank you, truly. Your friendship means the world to me; it does. Which is why I can’t leave you with false hope. I’m not sure I realized until now how much I truly care for Tom. I love him and now I realize I don’t want to lose him. I’m sorry Siri, I have to go,” and she pushed passed him and away from disappointment on his face.

———

Tom waited for Severina outside the Dining Hall cloaked with a damn good disillusionment charm he had perfected during his time in Albania. He leaned casually against the wall with his hands in his pockets. His head lowered a bit but his eyes focused on the doors.

He could hear the hum of excitement inside and he wondered if Severina had already seen the paper. He waited surprisingly calm despite the urgency with which his heart raced.

Had he lost her already? It felt as if he had barely a taste of what life with love was like. Would it now leave him as swiftly as it came? Or would he have to live with this pain for the rest of his days?

He recognized her walk first. That struck him strangely. Of all the little things he had come to notice about her, he hadn’t fully appreciated until now how swift and gracefully she moved. She seemed to almost float or fly.

Her expression was distressed and determined. It gave him hope.

There were still other students around, watching her and whispering behind their hands. Tom moved quickly and grasped her wrist gently, just to let her know he was there. She strained to see him and asked softly,

“Tom?”

He leaned in to whisper in her ear, “Come, we need to talk.”

He lead her discreetly by the wrist down the hall until the students thinned and they reached a fairly secluded alcove. He pulled them in and cancelled his charm.

“Tom, I can explain,” she started hurriedly but Tom stared her down which made her hesitate a little, “It’s not like the Profit made it out to be. The picture… that was the extent of it, I swear. Sirius kissed me when I tried to give him his gift, but I pushed him away. I-I didn’t kiss him back…”

Tom was only half listening. Gods he had missed her so much. Since their fight… they hadn’t spoken. He knew he should have apologized, but the thing was… he had been honest. Normally he wouldn’t have been so blatant, but what he had said had been true to how he felt.

Love could be so frustrating!

He wanted to possess her. He wanted to own her. He wanted her whole world to be centered around him. And it was frustrating! It was frustrating that she had friends and family she would choose over him. It was frustrating to be in love with a teenager… he felt that he was constantly waiting for her. He wanted to swoop in and take her, but he couldn’t. Every time he tried he pushed her further away.

His eyes caught sight of a piece of parchment gripped in her fist. He pulled it free and his eyes scanned her Uncle’s writing.

That was another thing… he could rally most of the wizarding world to root for him, but it was those closest to Severina who rooted against him. It was the people she loved who didn’t want her to love him.

He was losing her right before his eyes.

“Tom?” she asked with uncertainty and concern.

His eyes snapped to her face and desperation like he had never felt before propelled him foreword. He didn’t just kiss her, he begged her lips to love him.

His hands and arms tried to hold her to him but couldn’t seem to decide how best to keep her. He didn’t know how to will her to stay, how to keep her in his arms.

“I love you,” he said as he kissed her again and again as if he afraid to stop, “I love you, Severina, I love you.” He kissed her again and his lips pleaded, “Please, love me.”

“I do, Tom, I do.” She insisted, tears wetting her cheeks.

“Then say it. Why do you never say it?” He felt wrecked.

“Because you try possess me, Tom!” She snapped at him. “You try to keep me from my friends—”

“Your friends,” He scoffed, “Those boys are in love with you.”

Severina’s face went hard, “I am not a thing to be owned, Tom Marvolo Riddle. I chose you and will continue to choose you because I love you, but that doesn’t mean you can own me.”

Tom’s breath shuddered, “It’s not fair,’ and he pressed needy kisses into her cheeks and jaw, “when you own me.”

Severina whimpered in his arms and wrapped hers around him, raking her fingers into his hair. “Oh, Tom, my love, I love you.”

Tom pressed her into the wall, his body burning with need and his mouth claiming her kisses again. His heart felt like it burst through him at her words, filling his limbs with heat and need. His reason screaming at him to stop, lest he ruin everything.

He pulled away with much deliberation, calming his breath and body, resting his forehead against hers.

“Marry me quickly, Severina. I give you my word not to try to own you. I won’t keep you from your friends. Continue to choose me and I’ll always be yours. Just love me and I’m yours.”

“Oh Tom,” she said and pressed herself against him as if she need him closer.

Tom groaned and was just about to say “fuck it” and maybe Dumbledore’s boundary wasn’t all that important anyway when,

”Tom, when you’re not busy, I have something I want to show you,” came a familiar hiss.

Tom’s head snapped to the large snake slithering passed the alcove.

”Nagini! Where the bloody hell have you been? Oi! Don’t slither away from me like you haven’t disappeared for months!”

“Nagini?” Severina asked at the same time and they both followed after the snake.

”Oh, good you appear to be done. Keep up Tom. I’ll leave it up to you if you want your little witch to come along, but I don’t necessarily recommend it,” Nagini hissed.

Tom laced his fingers through Severina’s as they caught up to Nagini’s head, ”She’s coming.”

“It’s her funeral.”

“What’s she saying?” Severina asked.

“She’s… she’s being annoyingly cryptic and unhelpful. She wants to show us something.”

Nagini lead them up a flight of stairs and down a hall before she stopped.

Severina spoke perplexed, “The girl’s bathroom? This is the busiest girl’s bathroom. I never come here. There’s nothing special about it just some rumor that your crush will notice you if you write his name on the stall wall or something, complete bollocks. Was it like that when you were a student?”

Tom laughed, “No, but I may be the origin of the rumor.”

“I wish that didn’t sound so likely... Hmm, doesn’t seem as busy as usual.”

”That would be my doing,” Nagini slithered inside and high-pitched screams proceeded a small wave of girls flooding out of the bathroom.

Once the bathroom was clear they followed Nagini inside. Tom laughed softly with nostalgic disbelief, “I had nearly forgotten.”

“Forgotten what?” Severina asked, watching his face lighten with a boyish delight. His eyes shone with excitement when he looked down at her.

Nagini raised her head to the sinks and looked back at Tom, gesturing with her head toward a particular sink where the tap was engraved with a snake.

Tom smiled widely, “Open,” he hissed.

Severina gasped as the sink moved away to reveal a hidden tunnel.

“Where does it lead?” she asked.

Tom bent to the shell of her ear as if to whisper knowledge not to be shared, “The Chamber of Secrets.”

Chapter Text

Severina’s stomach flew to her throat as she felt the darkness speed past her down the pipe. Just as she thought she might fall forever, the pipe fell away and magic lifted her against gravity. Severina gasped a breath of musky air as she floated gently down into Tom’s waiting arms.

Tom’s face held a boyish grin and glint in his eye. Happiness bubbled up to him between her smile and she let out in soft little laugh. His lips pecked the corner of her lips and she turned to give him a fuller taste. She wrapped her arms around him and he squeezed her to himself a little tighter.

She had almost lost him and now…

Impatient— thats what love was. Love was impatient for more. More of him, more of them, more of the future enjoyed right now. Severina was growing impatient. She was ready for her NEWTs to be over. She was ready to be married to Tom Riddle. She was ready for more than this proper and public courtship.

Just as she wanted to deepen the kiss he set her down and lead her deeper toward the Chamber of Secrets as a persistent impatience threatened to choke her.

“I’ve noticed something...” Severina started.

“And what’s that my dear?”

“Our courtship is rather chaste.”

He huffed, “As you know, your Uncle’s boundary was that I not interfere with your NEWTs. Dumbledore’s boundary was that I remain chaste until our wedding. If he hadn’t, your uncle would have.”

“No one told me.”

Tom turned to smirk at her, “No one would suspect you to be the one to push for more.”

“So what exactly stipulates ‘chaste?’”

Tom chuckled, “Penetration, I suspect. I’ll not ask Dumbledore to be more specific lest he restricts my freedom to even kiss you.”

Severina blushed, “Well we haven’t done more than kiss.”

“That is entirely your fault. There is another… nuance in a public courtship which keeps us ‘chaste’ as you say.”

“Oh?”

“Mmhmm,’ he stopped and took her by the waist and held her near but not flush against him. He left space between them. He sighed, not unhappily, ‘From what you know of me, when have I ever not simply gone after what I’ve wanted?”

She thought, “Do I know you well enough to answer that question?”

“Then I’ll tell you, so that you know. I have never kept myself from anything that I have wanted. Sometimes I have had to be patient, but that’s not... necessarily the case here. You initiate everything that has to do directly between us. I can only speak to you because you spoke to me, I can only touch you because you offered out your hand. Now I can touch you. You kissed me. Now...” He smiled and leaned over her lips, “I can kiss you.”

His lips pressed to hers and lingered, before he pressed more firmly and moved his lips over hers. Severina sighed into his kiss. She felt warmed from head to toe by the softness of his lips pillowing the growing insistence of his firm hold on her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and carded her fingers through his hair.

As they kissed, Severina noticed again how almost chaste the kiss was. There was heat and passion and desperation. But each time she thought she would feel his tongue reach out and taste her, he pulled back and pecked the corners of her lips and slowed the kiss.

Severina may have smirked if she hadn’t felt so impatient, but she felt heady with need. She pressed her tongue between her lips and tasted the seem of his lips with her tongue. Tom let out a long groan and Severina felt him almost fall into her arms as if his knees had buckled.

He hissed with needy relief between his teeth, “Yess,” before he guided her head to the side and finally the slick heat of his tongue entered her mouth. His flavor filled her from cheek to cheek and she only wanted to breath his flavor for the rest of her days. His tongue spoke passion to her mouth and she increasingly impatient for him.

Severina encouraged him to let her tongue in and she explored his mouth the way he had hers. She could taste his moans and his desperation which matched her own. Yes, this was the impatience of love— this was passion.

She had to initiate everything? Damn it… She barely knew where to go from here. She only knew where she wanted him, but not how to bring them there with any amount of grace or finesse. She pulled away frustrated,

“I have to initiate everything?” She groaned.

His voice was rough and breathless, “Until we marry, yes,” he said quickly and captured her mouth again, impatient for contact.

Severina pulled back and her neck arched back. Tom’s lips were undeterred. He kissed down her jawline and on to her neck, “I don’t know how. Can you at least talk me through? Tell me how?”

Tom’s head snapped up and in his eyes were hungry. His jaw snapped closed and the muscles flexed. He tried to catch his breath, his chest rising and falling rapidly.

“What do you want, Severina?” He asked and his eyes burned with want.

Severina felt that she would burn to ash under the heat they had built. She whimpered,

“I don’t know...You, just you,” she could cry with frustration. Her head was too full of desire that she couldn’t articulate...

“Then show me,” he said.

Her hands shook with anticipation and she slowed to focus on her task. First she pulled his necktie loose. Then she started on the buttons on his neck. She looked up at him as she went and the desire in his eyes had simmered into something no less heated but somehow more longing. She lifted herself up and touched her lips to his.

She felt his hands on her necktie and the freedom from her top buttons. His fingertips brushed against her clavicle and Severina felt like she couldn’t breathe.

Not that Tom was doing much better. He felt heated and his breath came heavily, but he certainly wasn’t going to stop Severina when she was expressing desire for him. Had it been another day, perhaps he would have stopped her explorations so they could continue on into the Chamber, but after seeing her in the arms of another… he needed her. He had spent his whole life not needing anyone, only to have this slip of a witch nearly rip his heart out and now he needed… he needed her to kiss him again and to keep touching him. He needed to feel that she wanted him. He needed to know she loved him.

Her fingers trembled against the skin on his chest as she worked open his shirt. Once she exposed his heart, she pressed her palm flat against his breast bone. He gripped her hand and pressed her palm more firmly above his heart.

“Severina,” he begged, “say it again?”

Her dazed eyes blinked up at him for a moment before she spoke,

“I love you Tom. I love you so much. I don’t know how to tell you more or how to show you, but I know how scared I was when I thought I might lose you. When I thought I hurt you…”

She had hurt him. He was still sore from it. Tom bit his cheeks,

“Is that what this is?” He asked, “Is this you trying not to lose me?”

“Yes. No…” She tried to pull back her hand but he held it tight against his chest. She continued, “This is me being frustrated… We never actually get to be alone and lately…,” Severina groaned and stepped into him and rested her head against Tom’s neck, “I’m tired of fighting. I just want us to be happy again. This doesn’t seem like a great start to our life together.”

Tom wrapped Severina in his arms and sighed into her hair, “We’re both just frustrated. Severina, I don’t want to lose you either. I can’t… I just can’t. If losing you is anything like what I experienced this morning then I know that losing you would destroy me. I’m glad you want me and I want you. I promise the first time we can truly be alone together we will have time to ourselves and a bed and Nagini will not be invited.”

“Your mating rituals do nothing for me, but we are keeping him waiting.” Severina startled at Nagini’s hiss and Tom chuckled until Nagini continued, Tell your witch not to be afraid. He’ll smell it. He has his eyes closed… for now.”

“What did she say?” Severina asked.

“Severina, do you know what Salazar Slytherin’s familiar was?” Tom asked in answer to her question as he took her hand and followed Nagini

“A snake, I assume. Is this a History of Magic Lesson or care of Magical Creatures?” She joked dryly.

“Neither or both… Nagini said to tell you not to be afraid. His eyes are closed.”

“What?” She asked just as they came upon an enormous snake skin.

Tom reached out and touched the skin. It crumbled readily under his touch. As they reached the head, a chill shivered down their spines as if danger lingered in the shedded lens of the eyes.

“A basilisk? Salazar’s familiar is still alive?” Severina asked softly.

“Apparently. Basilisks should only live up to nine hundred years… He must be nearing the end of his life.”

Beyond the skin stood a double door with two silver snakes which entwine as a lock between the two doors. Again Tom hissed, “Open,” and the snakes slithered apart and the door opened.

The Chamber was a sight to behold. Tom felt filled with strange nostalgia as he stepped into the temple-like room, lined with pillars engraved with snakes. Tom soaked in the significance of his standing in the midst of his ancestor’s legacy. Though he had never stepped foot in the Chamber before, it felt as though he had come home.

At far end of the Chamber Salazar’s statue stood from floor to ceiling. The stone mouth was open as if already speaking… no, not speaking… screaming.

“He said there is a thing you must say. Do you know what it is?” Nagini asked him.

Tom looked into Salazar’s stone eyes, “Yes.” He answered then spoke, “Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts Four.

Stone scraping stone echoed through the Chamber like a roar. From Salazar’s mouth, like a tongue, emerged a flash of red plume and into the light slithered a great basilisk.

Nagini warned him of Severina’s fear but he had not anticipated his own when the black tongue tasted the air and its head snapped in Severina’s direction. ”Keep your eyes closed Basilisk!” Tom commanded.

Its head bowed and it continued to slither out onto the Chamber floor. There seemed to be no end to its body. Tom never witnessed the tail. The head of the basilisk filled his vision and Tom could feel the whoosh of air from its tongue as it tasted their scent again.

“Masssster,” it hissed like a sigh of relief.

At its declaration that he was indeed its master, Tom calmed knowing he was in control. Tom looked up at it and tilted his head to the side. Its size was enormous and Tom wondered how the size of its head would compare to a dragon’s. He would have to bring Hagrid down for a visit.

“You have lived here in secret all these years?” Tom asked aloud to the basilisk.

“I have lived alone in the cold. I have been so cold. I have been so alone. I know not how long it has been, but I know what damnation is. Hell is cold and it is being alone too long...” It answered him.

“Tom, do you understand now why I left you?” asked Nagini at the basilisk’s side, his impressive familiar now looked dwarfed.

Tom considered her and nodded. Then turned again to the basilisk.

“What is your name?”

“My Master hatched me but did not name me. I would hear him refer to me as… ‘Weapon,’ but I did not grow fast enough for him. I am grown now, Master.”

Severina let go of Tom’s hand and Tom watched her walk to the side of its head and examine its plumes. She noticed Tom watching her and gave him a nervous smile.

“What is he saying?” She asked.

Tom felt his affection for her bloom. She trusted him— she must. She followed him here and stood her ground in front of a basilisk without understanding what it was saying. She simply trusted that he and Nagini wouldn’t lead her to her death. Tom wondered at how love could keep growing like this.

“He says he has been alone and cold for a long time. For most of his life it seems,” he answered her.

Severina reached her hand out and brushed her palm over his scales. The giant scales shivered under her touch and seemed to want to lean into her.

“He’s not alone anymore,” she stated as fact, barely pausing at the significance.

Tom blinked at her and heard the deep hiss whispered like a breath from the basilisk, “Thank you.”