Actions

Work Header

Puzzles, Dragons, & Ideals

Summary:

Unknown circumstances leave N in an unknown world, a world like one he very much wishes. Monsters have be willing to become a partner instead of just capturing. While he enjoys this new world, something else is going on. Even in a world where his Ideals are met, every place has something dark occurring in the shadows, this world is no exception.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Waking

Chapter Text

Puzzles, Dragons, & Ideals


Chapter 1: Waking


“LOOK OUT!” 


White light, deafening hums…


Blue eyes opened lightly with a tired groan, a young man with long green hair in light colored clothing sat up. The sound of animals echoed through the clearing as the grass folded under him. He lightly shielded his eyes from the sun that was shining brightly in the sky. Where was he? A small whine was heard by his side, turning to see a dog like creature with dark fur. 


“Zorua?” the creature smiled as he looked at his partner. 


“N, are you okay? That blast of light knocked us out.” the young man groaned as his memories returned to him, after Ghetsis was arrested, he and Zorua bid farewell to Black and White before setting off on his own path again. After something occurred on their way to Sinnoh, a bright light occurred and they were knocked out. 


“I am alright, just, where are we now?” N wondered as he looked at the slightly cloudly sky. Before he could stand, a large tremor shook the ground as energy burst from the earth just a short distance away. Beams of multicolored light exploded and tore up the trees around them, odd looking creatures running from the blast and debris being shot into the sky. A large boulder was shot up and fell toward where N and his Zorua were, still confused by the situation, N tried to crawl away as the shadow fell over him. 


“Aoyaiba!” an unfamiliar voice suddenly shouted from afar as the sound of breaking stone echoed in N’s ears, the shadow was quickly replaced by a different form as broken fragments of stone rained around him and Zorua. N glanced up to see a beautiful and powerful looking dragon-like creature, it’s scales a bright white and silver, highlighted by various shades of blue and purple. The dragon’s large ice covered mace like tail-end swung up to destroy andother boulder hurdling towards them. A smaller figure jumped from the sky and towards the pillar of light, N couldn’t see what he was doing, but the energy seemed to flow into the figure, and the energy soon subsided, leaving only the crater. 


“Are you alright?” N thought it must’ve been the dragon talking until he heard where the voice came from. The figure he saw absorb the energy walked towards them, at first he thought it was another dragon, but upon closer inspection, it was a human, or at least looked human, decked out in dark silver and purple draconic armor, white hair under the headgear and bright yellow reptilian eyes. As the figure walked closer, the armor glowed a bright white before vanishing, revealing a young teen around Black’s age, his hair and eyes were the same, but two blue horns stuck out. The boy was dressed in a simple loose dark grey shirt with baggy white pants, he also wasn’t wearing any shoes. 


“I’m alright, um, who are you?” N asked, the boy looked at him oddly before going over to check the dragon for any injuries. 


“My name is Lance, I’m from the Dragon Caller Guild. Who are you? I haven’t seen you on the island before.” the boy said as he stroked the dragon’s head gently. N looked at him curiously, no last name? Maybe it wasn’t important to mention. 


“My name is well, Natural, you can call me N though.” N said, a small snicker sounded from Lance’s place as a large black egg shaped creature popped out. It had two pointed ears, small wings N couldn’t understand how it kept the creature afloat and small limbs. It also had a large purple star on it’s chest. 


“N huh? That’s an interesting name.” the creature said in perfect speech, that caught N off guard, usually pokemon couldn’t speak the same as humans, that’s why the ones who were hurt or taken against their will could never speak. Lance sighed. 


“Don’t be rude Devi.” Lance said, he turned back to the dragon. 


“You did well, you can rest now.” Lance said, stroking the dragon’s head one more time before it curled lightly as a blue tinted orb formed around it, quickly shrinking before becoming a small speck of light that flew into a blue colored device Lance pulled out. 


“N, are you alright?” He heard the concerned voice of Zorua, glancing down the see the dog/fox like pokemon glance at him worried. 


“I’m alright, just confused.” N said, Lance turned to him, with an odd look on his face, N quickly realizing he said that out-loud and probably didn’t make sense to Lance. 


“I take it your monster is concerned for you?” Lance asked, N froze, this teen actually could understand what Zorua meant? Or was his behavior that obvious? Wait, did he just call it a monster?


“Hey… what kind of monster is he anyway? We’ve never seen them on the island before, devi.” Devi said as he flew down to look at Zorua, who looked at him just as curious. Lance turned back to N and blue eyes met topaz. 


“You aren’t from the island, are you from Vienna City?” Lance asked, N looked at him, mildly confused. He hasn’t heard of a city named Vienna. 


“I’m not, I’m from Unova, west of Hoenn.” N said, again Lance raised an eyebrow. Devi flew up to his side. 


“Unova? Where is that, devi? We’ve never heard of a Unova before, devi.” Devi said, N was even more confused, never heard of Unova? It held a Pokemon League, not to mention the events from both prior and from two years ago must’ve traveled overseas somehow. Right? 


“He’s right, we haven’t heard of “Hoenn” either, come with us, Master Vahaton and King probably know.” Lance said, he whistled and a large red scaled dragon landed before them, Lance again stroke it’s head. 


“We need a ride back. Is that alright? You can have some rest once we get back to Crocus.” Lance said, he quickly climbed up on the dragon. Devi looked at N and Zorua. 


“Come on, don’t keep Master Lance waiting! We also need to report back to the Guild that we completed the mission, devi.” Devi said as he flew up and sat besides Lance. N gently scooped up Zorua and climbed on the dragon’s back, the dragon let out a roar before flying off the ground. They flew slightly above the clouds and N got a good look of the landscape. Besides the large dry desert like area in one part of the island and a very rocky and volcanic area further, most of the island was covered in lush forests and jungles. 


“So, well, where are we? What is this island?” N asked, Lance turned to face him. 


“This is Dragoza, home of the Dragonoids and home of several different types of monsters.” Lance said, he glanced at Devi, who seemed to pick up on what he wanted to say. 


“Dragoza is the proud home of the dragonoids, like Master Lance. Here, monsters live in the several wild areas of the island, this island has five main cities each being a landmark for one of the five elements and ancients. In the northern area, there’s the Dark City: Zelemony and the Wood City: Libria. To the west is the Light City: Exscion and to the east is the Fire City: Geyser. Where we’re headed is to the south, which holds the Water City: Crocus! Crocus is a popular tourist spot since it’s the main docks for the island, it’s also known for it’s tasty jelly dumplings!” Devi explained, Lance decided to speak again. 


“Us dragonoids are born with the ability to harness the elements of this world known as drops and connect with the monsters. Humans can have this ability too, despite it being rather rare, all humans who have this ability become Dragon Callers. The duty of a Dragon Caller is to stop Drop Impacts much like the one that nearly killed you, and calm the wrath of any monsters that are angry. Our duty is to keep the island at peace between dragonoids, monsters, and humans.” Lance said, N looked at Zorua who sat in his lap comfortably. 


“Do you capture monsters in order to help you fight?” N asked, Devi just gasped dramatically with a stunned look on his face?


“Capture?! No such thing, devi! All of Lance’s partners agreed to be with him, devi. A Dragon Caller can only obtain monsters if the monsters themselves trust the Dragon Caller and forms a bond, monsters turn into egg drops that can be held and wielded by a Dragon Caller to call upon in order to help. Monsters have to turn into egg drops willingly, and a force capture will only lead to an angry monster, devi.” Devi explained, N looked at the small creature with a realization after it. 


This world, the monsters have the choice and the callers need to earn their trust. This wasn’t a world of capture, where the pokemon have to pray that their new owners are kind and seek a bond. No, this world, the monsters have the choice and the two work together as equals. This was his ideal world. 





A figure sighed as they hid under the docks and beach caves of Crocus’ coast, a phone ringing as they paced on the cold uneven stone. The phone stopped ringing and someone picked up. 


“What is it?” 


“Rude, not even a ‘hello’?” the figure chuckled, the voice on the other line groaned. 


“Whatever, sorry, but seriously, what is it? I’m hot on someone’s trail right now, this is going to be a big one.” The figure chuckled again. 


“I have orders, our next set of targets is here on Dragoza. Our Scientist wishes to capture monsters from this island, not to mention the callers.” 


“Whoa, whoa, whoa, we’re actually doing it?! That mad scientist can actually do it?!” 


“Yes, he can, he says we can capture whoever, or whatever we want just as long as it’s either a monster or a dragon caller. Two of our targets has to be Lance and Charo though, so get some help. This is going to be a hard job, but an oh so profitable one.” the figure hung up the call, glancing out of the cave as waves crashed into it. Maybe they can even lure him out, after all, that one was someone who the scientist worked on before, they’d be paid even more if they can bring him back. 




A younger figure sighed as they sat in one of the many caves surrounding Geyser, dark colored clothing and dark hair easily blending in with the shadows. Their left eye hidden under an eyepatch while his remaining one glowed an eerie neon green. They looked grimly out of the cave as a red carrier dragon flew over them, a white-haired figure just barely visible. 


“The Battle Cup is coming soon, hope you’re prepared Lance, cause I’m not going easy if I want to draw them out.”