Actions

Work Header

The Ghostwriter and The Lone Ranger

Chapter 18: Midnight Snacks And Conversations

Summary:

It's late night and the three of us siblings got hungry. What are the odds that the four Isle transfer students are making cookies at this late hour?

Chapter Text

After finding out that only the girlfriend of the crowned king gets to stand in the front line in the coronation, Mal, Evie, Jay and Carlos had went to the kitchen to work on the love potion.

"Alright! It says here that we still need a tear!" Mal read as she pointed at the recipe.

"Eh, I never cry," Evie shrugged.

"Let's just chop up some onions." Carlos pointed out as he tossed an onion in his hands.

"No! It says here that we need a tear of human sadness." Mal explained. "and the love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly!"

"A tear's just a tear." Jay stated.

"That's not true Jay," Evie interrupted. "They both have antibodies and enzymes but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear!"

"Listen to you!" Mal teased.

"Yeah I knew that!" Jay nodded.

"Did not!" Carlos nudged his friend.

"Yeah I did." Jay nodded.


[Tracy's P.O.V.]

"Are you sure that Fairy Godmother isn't going to check on us if we snug a little bite?" I asked in a worried tone, while removing one of my earphones. I was listening to "Stronger Than You" by Estelle (Steven Universe). 

I was already in my Preparing To Slack Off Watching Disney Movies attire, AKA a midnight blue hooded dress with a large Mickey Mouse print on it. Usually I would be watching Mighty Med while screaming at my computer screen "Why can't Kaz just kiss Jordan already?". (I'm team Jaz for life, no amount of Skaz or Koliver can prove me otherwise)

"Bah! They're like a thousand kids here, I bet she can't be busy checking on each one. Now can she?" Jones shrugged. Easy for him to say, he's broke so many school rules, yet he's never been caught!

"By the way, I love how cute you look in that dress, Cece." Lonnie commented with a smile.

"I normally hate dresses, but if it comes with a hoodie, it's an ok to me." I shrugged, before humming to the song.

"C'mon, I say we just get some snacks from the fridge and be on our way back." Lonnie shrugged as she opened up the kitchen door.

"I get dibs on the jasmine tea!" Jones called out.

"No fair! You know how much I love tea!" I groaned. I have a particular soft spot for green tea and jasmine tea.

"Fine, I will get the BBQed potato chips then!!" Jones grinned.

"Oh Mal! There you are!" Lonnie noticed Mal and her friends inside. "I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair."

"Except me! Don't do my hair, or I will personally rip you in half and set your half-body on fire!" I hissed at my sister. If she is trying to reform me into a girly girl, I ain't gonna! I like how I look like, as long as I like how I look, I don't care much about what people think of me.

"Oh hey Carlos, hi Jay!" my brother waved.

"Hey!" Carlos waved.

It only took me moments later that 'He With Long Hair Who Must Not Be Named Because I Am Too Lazy To Call His Name' is in the kitchen too. Great! Now I am feeling the butterflies in my stomach again!

And to think, I am wearing the only closest girly thing I have. I don't really like wearing dresses, I mean I do, but not often.

"Nice dress, Feisty." Jay commented in a flirty way before I tried distracted myself to avoid blushing. I don't really like the way he is looking at me.

"Midnight snack huh?" I noticed the cookie dough.

"What are you guys making?" Lonnie asked.

"Nothing special, just cookies." Mal replied. But before she could finish, the three of us just stuck out a finger and dip in the cookie dough before eating it. What? It's a force of habit! The three of us always had a habit of trying to taste the food. It's probably a reason why grandma likes to keep us out from the kitchen when she cooks when we were kids!

"No!" Mal, Evie, Carlos and Jay panicked.

Hhm... tastes great! But it's missing something...

"What? We're not going to double dip!" Lonnie shrugged.

"They aren't but I might!" Jones raised a hand. I nudged his arm, glaring at him.

"Feel anything?" Evie asked worried.

"Yeah, like if we're missing something?" Mal asked.

"Mostly indigestion from lunch." Jones stated.

"Eww, Jones, seriously?!" I exclaimed.

"What? I took the extra dose of Garlic Bread for lunch, you know how Garlic makes me gassy." Jones claimed before I laughed.

"That's just a metaphor, right?" Evie asked.

"No, it's not." Carlos shook his head in response. He has seen/smelt what Jones can do after eating Garlic Bread.

Jay walked over to us, eyes scanning us for a bit before smiling in a flirty way at us.

"Hey there." He greeted.

Dang! Why is my heart racing like crazy?!

"Which one of us are you talking to?" Jones asked frowning.

Yeah, I did not really like the way Jay was looking at me.

I frowned at him before flicking my fingers at his arm and spat out: "You are all kinds of weird, meathead!"

"Burn!" Jones added as he snickered.

"Wow, Trace, your standards for a guy is getting poorer like Calvin Charming's social life." Jones said out loud. Yeah, Calvin Charming (who is Chad's twin brother, they don't look alike but Calvin is more antisocial with his girlfriend Robyn, Hunter's sister) has a weird social life.

I covered his mouth before things get worse. It only takes him a second for him to spat out about how I feel for Jay.

"Isn't he adorable?" I chuckled nervously.

"Ew! Did you just spit on my hand?" I asked, before scooching away and pointing accusingly at him. "Creepy Creep-Creep!"

"It works every time!" Jones wiped his mouth snickering at me.

"Could use some chips." Lonnie suggested.

"Chips?" Jay wondered.

"And those are?" Mal asked.

"Uncle Chip!" I joked.

"We are not going to get rid of Uncle Chip!" Lonnie yelled.

"But Jones did, well almost." I mumbled back. Back in first grade, Jones one time got upset that he convinced a motor gang he and Max met while sneaking away from the daycare to scare Uncle Chip as a gig for 10 bucks. 

"Bionic chips." Jones stated as we all looked at him.

"How on earth is making cookies involving bionic chips?!" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

"What? I'm just joking!" Jones burst into laughter. "What? Carlos challenged me to speaking and quoting all Lab Rats reference for 12 hours!"

"It's true! We both lost our bet!" Carlos claimed with a nod.

"No, chocolate chip." Lonnie added as she took out a bowl of chocolate chips as she dunk in a handful of chocolate chips into the dough mix.

"Just THE MOST important food group." I added.

"Wait...didn't your moms ever made you chocolate chip cookies?" I asked looking at them.

The four students looked confused, as if they have never heard of chocolate cookies. I guess I shouldn't have asked them that.

"Like when you're feeling sad? And a fresh batch a cookies comes out from the over with a big old glass of milk and she'd just make you laugh and puts everything into perspective!" Lonnie added.

"Ooh! Remember one time where mom made a face at us and milk burst out from my nose?" Jones added as the three of us laughed a bit.

"Why are you looking at us like that?" Lonnie asked.

"Let's just say it's different where we're from." Mal replied shrugging.

"Yeah I know! I just thought...even villains love their kids!" Lonnie nodded.

Jones and I kept silent though. We've both tried talking and asking them about their past, but I get the feeling that not all families are happy.

The four teens remained silent. Family love is so different on the Isle compared to us. Jay seemed most upset since he doesn't have a mom.

"Oh..." Lonnie stopped. Her face started to grow sad as she gestured her hands to Mal's. "How awful."

Jones kept looking at the floor, as if he was deep in thoughts.

Not gonna cry, not gonna cry! I thought to myself.

I wanted to give them a hug and comfort them but my hands were trembling before I could reach them out. My eyes met Jay's before I looked away blushing.

"Things will get better... Trust me. They will." I muttered out as I placed a hand on Jay's shoulder and gave them a small ensuring smile. Comforting people isn't really my best forte but now giving these people hope is more important.

"My sister is right, I mean you guys are here now. And if it helps you guys feel better, I think of you guys as family." Jones added, patting Carlos on the back. "Like Carlos here, he's like the brother I never had, mainly because I am the ONLY brother!"

A tear rolled down from Lonnie's eyes as Mal quickly flicked the tear away.

"Yeah! Well big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven." Mal started to cheer up.

"Thanks so much for coming by, see you tomorrow!" Mal ushered us out. "Evil dreams."

"Goodnight!" the three of us greeted them as we were shoved out of the kitchen.

"Bye Carlos, see you at tomorrow!" Jones waved.

"I'll um...see you guys in the morning." I smiled politely at them.

"Hey Feisty?" Jay called out as I turned over.

"Yeah? What is it Casanova?" I shrugged.

"Thanks for what you said." Jay smiled a bit as my heart raced a bit.

"Sure, anything for a friend." I nodded back as I smiled back. "Have a good nights' sleep."

"You too." He nodded a bit, before he smirked down at me, "by the way, nice legs."

"PERVERT!" I yelled, aiming my shoe at him before he quickly shut the kitchen doors.

I turned over to see my siblings.

Jones and Lonnie gave me an unusual look.

"What?" I asked bluntly.

"You like him." Lonnie teased me.

"What? No I do not!" I denied, but I'm sure my blushing face is a dead giveaway!

"Yeah you do, he was hitting on you and you comforted him just now." Jones smirked deviously at me. "Who's the Creepy Creep-Creep now?"

"Oh shut it!" I stuck out my tongue as Lonnie giggled.

It was a quiet walk back to the rooms.

"I can't believe that parents on the Isle of the Lost don't love their kids!" Lonnie sighed.

"Well, not every family is all love and cared for their kids." I shrugged.

"Every bionic has its glitch." Jones added.

"Jones, stop with the Lab Rats quoting!" I grunted.

"I wish I could help them feel better." Lonnie sighed.

"Life isn't easy on the Isle of the Lost, I bet." Jones shrugged, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I wonder why?"

"Well, Jay has told me that life on the Isle is hard." I mumbled out, hiding my face with my long hair and avoiding contact from my siblings. "He steals from the islanders to stock for his father's shop and sells them back to the former owners for a price."

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"You two are getting closer than before." Jones stated before his face went sour. "I DON'T LIKE IT!"

"I do. I think that it is adorable." Lonnie cooed.

"Ugh!" I groaned. "It's nothing okay? Jones hangs out with Carlos half the time!"

"Yeah because we're buddies." Jones shrugged. "Not like you who have a crush on Jay!"

"I never said that! And how on earth did you find out?!" I demanded.

"It was too easy actually. Hayley told me that you two..." Jones trailed off before pausing.

"Hayley said what?" I asked.

"She said that you two are always arguing like Jamie and Charles." Jones added.

"He gets on my nerves!" I corrected.

"Whatever, you can lie to me and Jones, but you can't lie to yourself." Lonnie said. "Alright, I'll be off now. I have to get ready what to wear for tomorrow's big game!"

"G'night Lon!" My brother waved.

"Goodnight Nini!" I smiled a bit.