Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Ashes
Collections:
Wholesome Vagastor Content
Stats:
Published:
2020-04-13
Updated:
2022-04-01
Words:
178,511
Chapters:
46/76
Comments:
629
Kudos:
1,148
Bookmarks:
87
Hits:
49,724

Flame to a Moth

Chapter 18: Chapter XVIII: Angel of the Stage

Notes:

Sorry this took so long, work has been killin' me

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

'I'll eat your shitty cooking if you can actually seriously impress me with the work you're doing for this hotel, for once'

Guess he finally did impress her.

Vaggie hummed as she sat down at the kitchen table and Alastor was preparing whatever concoction he was brewing up.

Slowly she looked over at him, he looked so happy when he was cooking, genuinely happy.

Again, he looked oddly cute.

Guess he really was growing on her, huh?

He was like an infection, first you didn't notice you add it and when you do it's too late to do anything.

Even though she supposed she and Alastor were "friends" now, she was still worried this would end up being some type of trap, trick or something of the sort.

Vaggie rarely welcomed friendship, companionship, or most relationships for that matter, so many times it just came back to bite her in the ass.

Even with Charile, someone she trusted with her entire soul, broke her heart in the end.

Now there was Alastor, someone that was a hundred times worse, yet, here he was making food for her.

Yes Alastor had reached a, "not as much of a jerk as she thought" status, he was still a murderer, a cannibal, and a manipulator, but not the pure evil being she thought.

And though it still felt unthinkable, maybe he could change.

In that dark empty abyss in his chest, their seemed to be something at the bottom the resembled a heart.

Maybe with some guidance, it could grow and thrive, maybe he could become a decent guy.

Honestly it gave her flashbacks to before she met Charlie.

Vaggie was sad to admit it, but she had been a pretty shitty person before joining this hotel, not a murderer though still only a few steps being better than Alastor.

So, yeah, she didn't have much of a right to judge but she had bettered herself. And this deer asshole couldn't ruin her progress.

Still, maybe he could become better. Especially if he ended up with Charile.

Vaggie looked back to staring at the ceiling light, lights were always awesome, though an idea suddenly occured to her.

What would have happened if she met Alastor long before Charile?

Would they be friends? Allies? 

Suddenly an idea sent a shiver down her spine.

Could they possibly be lovers?

Vaggies stomach turned at the idea, but knowing who she was back then she would have been willing if Alastor offered.

As grossed out as she was, she had to realize that Alastor claimed he wasn't one for romance so she probably shouldn't think too hard about it.

"Tell me my dear, do you prefer chicken or pork?" Alastor asked suddenly, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"Um...chicken." Vaggie answered before shifting around in her seat a bit, "You know, I can help cook, I-"

"Oh no!" Alastor quickly interrupted, "This is my opportunity to serve you, however we can gladly cook together some other time."

"Oh yeah?" Vaggie asked, "Guess I can finally learn what grits are or whatever they were called."

"Oh trust me, it's my next priority." Alastor chuckled.

Vaggie chuckled as well, rolling her eyes a bit at him, "Alright, but I get to introduce you to some quality food as well."

Alastor hummed, "Like what? Do educate me.."

Vaggie smirked a little, "Have you ever tried fried ice cream?"

Alastor turned to her a curious eyebrow raised, "You can fry ice cream??"

Vaggie giggled before she could give a response Alastor turned back to what he was cooking and loudly exclaimed, "It's finished!"

He was really like an excitable little kid wasn't he?

Alastor rushed his food on a plate and hurried over to the table, only then did Vaggie realized what he made.

"Are those....tamales?" She asked hesitantly.

Alastor nodded excitedly as he scooted the plate over to her, "Cashed in a favor to get Hugo to get me the recipe. Took me a few days to perfect but I believe it should suit the little does liking."

It was only now that Vaggie questioned that pet name.

'Little doe', didn't really make sense because she obviously wasn't a deer demon and yes she might be small to Alastor but SHE IS A COMPLETELY NORMAL HEIGHT, IT'S NOT HER FAULT THAT EVERYONE IN HELL IS GOD DAMN EIGHT HUNDRED FEET TALL!!!

Those reasons aside, it didn't feel like a pet name that someone would give a friend, maybe she was just thinking to much about it. This was Alastor and he enjoyed messing around with people.

Vaggie looked at the tamales and then looked back at Alastor,

He looked so ridiculously excited, eagerly looking at her with his goofy grin even wider than usual. 

A small smile formed on her face, "Thanks bambi,"

Alastors ears twitched curiously and he tilted his head, "Bambi?"

"Yeah," Vaggie said with a shrug, "Firgured if im suddenly a 'little doe' makes sense you're bambi." Honestly she was feeling a little sheepish now.

Alastor gave her a look and a half hearted shrug, "Guess it maked sense now that we're friends."

Honestly he was so happy over the idea of befriending her and thought he could never get tired of hearing the word, yet, why did he feel unsatisfied?

He was ecstatic at the revelation, but for some reason he still felt this feeling, this feeling of wanting to be closer, to......hold her.

He shook his head, he was just impatient, he just got her approval, he couldn't expect to be all buddy buddy and touchie feelie with her immediately.

Vaggie at first opened the tamale and looked inside it skeptically,

"I didn't put anything bad in it." Alastor assured, desperately just waiting for her to take a bite.

Vaggie slowly put it back together and picked it up.

Oh she was being painfully slow, it was almost like she was teasing him.

She went to take a bite and of course the moment got ruined.

Oddly enough by himself.

His shadow shot into the room, the doors widely busting open, making both of them jump in shock.

Instantly it went to Alastor, whimpering in pain like a puppy dog.

"Goodness man! What happened?" Alastor asked as he reached out to him, indeed looks like someon3 struck him with some light magic.

It responded in its own twisted tongue that only Alastor could understand, whatever he said Alastor let out a disapproving, "tsk" before healing it. "Well that's your own fault."

Vaggie furrowed her brows a bit in concern, "Is it alright?"

Alastors shadow seemed to jump at the sound of Vaggied voice turning to her frantically, seeming to just realize that she's in the room.

Upom seeking Vaggie it proceeded to frickin tackle the tiny moth. Lunging at her at full speed knocking her and the chair she was sitting on down to the ground.

Vaggie screeched and attempted to push  her it away expecting an attack, but instead the shadow wrapped its dark body around her almost like a snake would leaving unable to move much and it.....

Began kissing her face.

What?

Frantically it placed kisses all over her face, like an over eager puppy dog that greeted his owner when it first came home.

Vaggie couldn't get out much of a response but she couldn't even think of anything before she could fully process the situation.

Alastor stood up from his chair an instant furry ignited inside him, "Oh for christ sake! Control yourself! Off! NOW!" He almost growled, his hand having a red glow as he (somehow) grabbed his shadow and removed it off the girl.

"I-" Vaggie let out as she slowly stood up, "What the hell was all that!?" She loudly exclaimed.

Alastor let go of his shadow and it almost seemed to smirk, "Looks like someone was happy to see that you're alright." His tone sounded rather annoyed, his smile barely on his face.

Quickly his smile widened, though that was only because Alastor realized what had happened.

He had gotten jealous......of himself.

What.

That made no sense, yes he was aware his interest and fascination in Vaggie was different from his other friends which is why he was more protective, but his shadow was more or less an extension of him. 

Why would he have any reason to get jealous of himself? Was it perhaps that he wanted to hug her just like it did? He couldn't quite wrap his head around it.

"Honestly that thing needs a leash," Vaggie said dusting herself off, only seeming semi annoyed, "Have you ever heard of personal space?" She asked the shadow 

It gave another wrapped answer, which Vaggie didn't understand but it made Alastor let out a loud gasp, "You pervert!" He scolded.

Vaggie gave a curious look, but decided she was better off not knowing.

She turned back to the table, noticing that she and hr chair weren't the only thing that the shadow knocked over.

"Oh, uh, Al..." Vaggie called out softly, as she looked down at the tamales on the floor.

Alastor looked down at the sight and let out a very defeated sounding sigh. "And I worked so hard on those."

He kept his smile but Vaggie could read him well enough to steal he was somewhat genuinely upset,

She walked over to him and gave his arm a reassuring pat, "Hey, it's not too bad, you can cook for me another time. Hell like I said we can cook together sometime."

Alastor sighs and smiles, "Right, suppose I could go ahead and make some dessert, do you want-"

Another interruption.

A much more annoying one.

A fluffy eight foot tall annoying interruption.

Angel Dust.

"Vags!" He called out, running over and hugging her, "Man! Don't scare us like that! You don't wanna lose another eye do ya?" He laughed, quickly letting go.

Unlike Alastor he knew how to mostly avoid getting sucker punched by the little moth.

However, the spider only further annoyed Alastor, must everyone try and get close to Vaggie??

Though, thankfully for said spider, Alastors jealousy was replaced by confusion.

I mean, it was one thing to get jealous over someone Vaggie showed legitimate romantic interest in, but over himself and Angel Dust?

God Vaggie couldn't stand Angel Dust, so why was he so aganist him getting close to her? Yes, maybe that might take away from attention toward himself, but still.

Vaggie meanwhile didn't seem bothered by Angels embrace, she just looked confused. 

"You were worried?" She asked baffled.

"Of course! Need someone to keep my ass in line don't I?" He chuckled, "Either way, Chariles was gonna check up on ya in your room but looks like you were here."

Alastor raised an eyebrow, "Then why did you come her?"

"Was gonna fix Vags up somethin' ta eat but looks like you beat me to it." He joked before looking down at the food on the floor, "And failed."

Vaggie shook her head with a small chuckle, "Ic Chariles in my room I better go find her before she freaks out over the fact I'm missing." 

She went ahead to leave the kitchen.

Always worried about Charlie it seemed, Alastor was bothered by that as well.

Alastor was going to follow her, but Angel put a hand on his shoulder, he turned, glaring at him and fully ready to smack his stupid grinning face before Angel Dust said the magic words.

"Delphine and her wife are gonna come over later, maybe we can fix all the girls something tasty for tonight?"

Alastors grin actually widened because of Angel Dust for the first time in forever.

Notes:

Alastor finally realizing his feelings for Vaggie aren't purely "friendly", about time