Actions

Work Header

I'll never say 'I love you'

Summary:

Bilbo is a veterinary student who one night saves the life a handsome but wounded man. Bilbo should have called an ambulance. If he had called an ambulance, he wouldn't be in this weird mess. He certainly wouldn't be falling in love with the man he saved, who can't seem to leave him alone.

My first fanfic in years!

Notes:

Hi
Sooooo it's been ages since I wrote anything. I just started writing and haven't stopped since. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. So, I'm looking for a Beta-reader.
Please, please, please give me feedback (good and bad). I feel like it's all a little bit of a mess right now.

Bilbo is a veterinary student with a double major in literature. If anything doesn't make sense let me know, but mostly just roll with it :p

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Notes:

Hi
Sooooo it's been ages since I wrote anything. I just started writing and haven't stopped since. I forgot how much I enjoyed it. So, I'm looking for a Beta-reader.
Please, please, please give me feedback (good and bad). I feel like it's all a little bit of a mess right now.

Bilbo is a veterinary student with a double major in literature. If anything doesn't make sense let me know, but mostly just roll with it :p

Chapter Text

Chapter 1

It was a normal evening. Nothing exciting, nothing weird, absolutely nothing. Yet Bilbo had a weird feeling.

It had been raining since he had started his shift at the vet’s office. He came in twice a week to complete his degree as a vet. He had always loved animals, and this was the furthest Bilbo was able to travel away from home. Since the death of his parents, the only thing Bilbo wanted to do was leave Hobbiton.

And he did.

He was able to get housing from the university, but that was it. He still had to work to get things like food, books, and intuition. The debt he already had was so big he would probably have to eat instant noodles for the rest of his life.

Bilbo sighed as he closed the back door of the practice. He’d been doing this work for over 3 years now and he was pretty good at it. The owner, Beorn, trusted him with locking up and staying there on his own to help the evening patients. Because Beorn occupied the apartment above the practice, Bilbo could always call on him during an emergency. Tonight, Beorn had a date, but it was a slow evening, and nothing really happened. It was a really boring night.

So, when Bilbo closed the door and locked it, he didn’t really expect anything to happen.

It was dark, cold and raining on top of that.

‘Of course,’ Bilbo muttered to himself as he almost slipped on the three rain-slick stairs. ‘Not only did that stupid cat almost scratch my eyes out, now I also almost break my neck.’ He took a deep breath and opened his umbrella. ‘Just lovely.’ And he started the fifteen minute walk home.

He shared an apartment with his best friend. Ori and he had met in the library at school. The two of them had been put together in the housing system. They became fast and good friends.

Ori had two brothers, Dori and Nori. Dori was the proud owner of a tailor’s and Nori… well, Nori is… Nori. Bilbo didn’t really know what he did and he really didn’t want to know, but every time Bilbo saw him, Nori started flirting with him as if his life depended on it. Bilbo just played along with it, but both of them knew that nothing more would ever come of it. Truth be told, Bilbo saw those three men more as his family than the people he shares DNA with.

It was really pouring cats and dogs.

Bilbo was almost home. He couldn’t wait to get out of his wet shoes and socks and crawl into his favorite chair with a good book. However, fate had other plans for him. The alley he was in was a bit shady.

Bilbo slowed down the moment he heard someone cough. It would not be the first time some homeless guy would be getting high behind the dumpsters. Bilbo walked faster, as fast as he could to just not be noticed by the homeless guy. However, Bilbo saw a flash of a white shirt and could not resist taking a better look. Why would someone in such a clean white shirt be sitting on the filthy floor in a dodgy alley? Except, the shirt wasn’t just white and wet, it was also red.

‘Oh god,’ Bilbo muttered as he ran towards the man on the ground, his umbrella falling to the ground. ‘Sir! Hey, can you hear me?’ Bilbo looked at the wound on the man's stomach. It wasn’t deep, but the bleeding needed to be stopped. Fast. ‘Can you hear me?’ Bilbo took the man’s face in his hands to find any kind of reaction. He could feel his pulsepoint flutter against the light press of his fingers.

Still alive.

‘I’m calling an ambulance. You need a hospital.’ Bilbo took his phone out of his pocket, but his hand was covered by the man’s big paw. It was warm and wet and encased Bilbo’s hand with no problem. It was also covered in blood.

‘Nnn…no hos…pital,’ the man breathed.

‘But you need--’ Bilbo started.

The man opened his eyes and Bilbo was met with the prettiest baby blues he’d ever seen.

‘No hospital…’

Bilbo didn’t know what he was doing, but he knew he was going to regret it.

‘Okay, I need you to stand up, alright?’ Bilbo stated. It was incredibly difficult, but he finally got the man to stand. He was leaning very heavily against him and to make it even worse was the fact that the man was so much bigger than himself. It was a miracle that he got the man in the clinic and that they had not seen anyone else on the way there. They were lucky the clinic wasn’t that far away.

‘Okay, lay down.’ Bilbo pushed the man onto his table and started taking off his shirt. If Bilbo wasn’t in this position, he might have actually noticed how attractive the guy was. He looked strong, with long dark hair and a very manly beard.

The wound wasn’t deep and didn’t do that much damage. It looked like a deep cut, but Bilbo already saw a lot of his skin bruising. The man must have gotten a pretty bad beating. He hoped there was no internal bleeding. Bilbo softly pressed the man’s ribs. His skin was warm to the touch. He could feel the hard muscles and boy, the man was solid. The man groaned when Bilbo pressed a bit too hard. ‘Probably bruised,’ Bilbo muttered. ‘Hopefully not broken.’

Bilbo took a small moment for himself and took a deep breath. In and out, in and out. ‘Okay, Bilbo,’ he muttered to himself as he looked at the handsome man who was laying on his practice table. ‘He’s just a big dog. Yep, just a big big dog.’

Bilbo gave the man a shot of lidocaine to numb the pain in his ribs. While the drugs were kicking in, he started working on cleaning the wound. Bilbo was certain he did everything he could.

Internally, he was freaking out. What was he doing? Why wouldn’t he call an ambulance? The man wasn’t his problem. It was just some random guy he found in a dark alley. Even if he had called an ambulance, nothing would have happened. They would have picked him up and Bilbo would never hear anything about it again… ever. He was putting himself and the man in danger. He could lose his license before he actually got it and the man could get an infection and die. The risks were endless. So why? Bilbo should have called an ambulance.

The stitching and bandaging of the wound didn't take him as long as he thought it would, but he was ready to just pass out from exhaustion. The adrenaline was starting to ebb, and he had hardly slept the night before. He woke up at 4 in the morning to finish a paper, went to class, popped by Gandalf’s, and then did the nightshift at the clinic. Bilbo shuddered to think that he had been awake for nearly 23 hours.

Looking at the stranger on the table, Bilbo concluded that he’d done everything he could and there was nothing more for it. He sat down at his desk. ‘Just for a little bit,’ he muttered as he laid his head and arms on the desk and closed his eyes.
XoXoX

It was five in the morning when Bilbo woke up. At first, he didn’t realize where he was.

Then he remembered. Bilbo looked at his table, only to find it… empty?

Did he dream of helping a bleeding man? Was he really that tired? There was nothing in the surgery that would suggest him stitching someone up. There was no blood, no bloody shirt, there was nothing.

‘Did I really just dream this?’ Bilbo asked himself, looking around the room for just about any clue. Anything that could help him, even the smallest thing.

Bilbo stood there in the middle of his practice, looking around like a crazy person.

He took a few deep breaths.

‘It was just a dream,’ Bilbo told himself. ‘You’ve been studying hard on top of working at the clinic. This is the result of four hours of sleep a night. I just need a break.’

He started collecting his things. Bilbo tried not to freak out when he could not find his umbrella, knowing 100% that he actually brought it with him the day before.

‘Just go home, Bilbo. Go and sleep.’

And that was just what he did. The moment his head touched his pillow, he fell asleep. He couldn’t begin to realize the consequences of his actions.