Actions

Work Header

HDR2: Despair Contamination (Haikyuu Danganronpa AU!!)

Summary:

“So you’re telling me. We’re kidnapped from our regular lives, no questions answered. Have to fear for our lives every second of the day for months, and then have to live through an outbreak of murderous Monokuma’s?”
“...pretty much.”
“Fuck that. I’d rather die.”

Season 2 or "HDR1: It's just a game, mostly." !!
read the tags, and you'll get the gist. ;)

Unfortunately, due to unknown circumstances, HDR1 was deleted. HOWEVER! I’m working to have it re downloaded.

Notes:

Enjoy, please!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue.

Chapter Text

After Monokuma refused to answer them, 

They walked- calmly, of course. -out of the trial room and into the main hall, following gross growling and sloshing noises and banging coming from the tall door that was always locked at the end of the hallway. Bokuto crossed his fingers, as he pulled back the curtain...Praying to go that Akaashi was-

“GRRRRAAHHHHHHH!” 

 

-...Wrong for once.  

 

Bokuto screamed as loud as the Monokuma’s outside did, everyone stepped back. There were tons of them, blood dripping from their mouths. They had long claws that scraped up the doors and windows, and they definitely looked like they weren’t taking any prisoners. 

“...Well, fuck.” Tsukishima said, wiping his sweaty hands on his pants. He looked at iwaizumi,

“What should we do?” 

Iwaizumi bit his lips,

“...let’s leave.” 

WHAT!?” Bokuto said,

“I bet it’s way safer in here. I mean, we have been living in here for three months.” Bokuto said.

Yamaguchi hugged Yamakuma tightly,

“B-but they’ll just work their way IN-!” a Monokuma was able to weasel it’s way through the mail slot, and Akaashi shot it with little to no hesitation. It screeched and babbled before coming morphing into a bloody mass on the floor, after several rounds. Akaashi looked at them,

“Yeah, who knows how many are out there? Let’s just...i dunno. Try to stock up on some stuff and see where we can go from there?” 

They all looked at each other, Tsukishima sighing,

“Looks like we don’t have a choice, now do we?”

Iwaizumi licked his lips,

“Ey, Akaashi?” 

Akaashi looked at him, and blinked, Iwaizumi smiling

Where’s that armory?” 




BASH! BASH! 

Iwaizumi’s bat slammed into the metal door one last time before it broke apart, he was huffing and puffing. The growling from outside got more prominent, and the big door in the hall was probably already about to break. Yamakuma crawled through the small hole and opened the lock from the inside, and everyone ran in. 

“Just get what you can, but don’t take more than you need.” Akaashi said, taking cartridges from the right side of the wall. Tsukishima looked around, 

“Does it matter if I can shoot or not?”

“Wait, your dad never taught you have to shoot a gun?” Bokuto said, surprised, Tsukishima glared at him, 

“I’m 15, I live in a suburb. What do I look like to you?”

Yamaguchi rolled his eyes and handed him a Glock 19 from off the shelf.

“Just pull the safety lock when you need to shoot. It’s not that difficult, Tsukki.” Yamaguchi said bluntly, And started to take off. Bokuto and Iwaizumi said they were about to go to the cafeteria and probably get food since they were never going to come back to this place, so Yamaguchi wanted to go to the infirmary to get medicine. So Akaashi decided to stay behind and watch the door, also giving Akaashi a few moments alone, of course, minus Tsukishima examining the weapon Yamaguchi just dropped casually into his hands.

“Goddamn. This is a bust.” Akaashi said, bowing his head. Tsukishima close his right eye to look down the barrel of the gun with his left eye, 

“Yeah, but what you going to do? Let Monokuma win? He was a robotic. Bear.”  Tsukishima looked around, 

“What types of bullets do Glock 19’s use?” 

“9 millimeter.” Akaashi said, Tsukishima clucked his tongue, 

“Why the heck do you guys know this stuff?”

Akaashi chuckled, 

“People were raised different.” Akaashi zipped his jacket up, and tried to shake off the nervousness fizzing up in his stomach. 

“You excited to get out of here?” 

“Excited?” Tsukishima said, thinking about it, 

“A bit, but Do you hear that outside?” 

“You’re right...but…” Akaashi huffed, starting to walk out of the armory. 

“Whatever, I just want to forget these last three months.” 

“But you can’t.” Tsukishima said as he slipped the gun into his pocket, they started walking out, Akaashi nodded, 

“That’s true.” 

“...to be honest…” Tsukishima started but, a loud bang was heard from upstairs, followed by a scream, and then a gunshot. 

“MOVE! RUN!” 

Bokuto barreled down the stairs along with Iwaizumi. Yamaguchi didn’t come not too long after, and they were frantic. 

...low and behold. 

“WE GOTTA GO! WE REALLY GOTTA GO!” Bokuto screamed, and they started heading for the gym. Their main plan was to first get weapons, supplies, then go to the ventilations systems through the gym and then the Sewer systems, but they got some uninvited guests. 

“WHAT WAS UP THERE?” Tsukishima screamed over the frantic panting and maniacal laughing coming from the being running behind them. Iwaizumi shrugged, 

“Monokuma’s?! Zombie Monokuma’s?!” 

Yamakuma screamed from his spot on Yamaguchi’s back, 

Zombiekumas! ZOMBIEKUMAS!!” 

Akaashi groaned, 

“Why today?” He said as he got to the gym door first, opening it and they all slipped it, Iwaizumi and Bokuto slamming it before the Zombiekuma’s could get in, they growled and scratched at the heavy gym doors, as Iwaizumi placed a crowbar in between the the handles. 

“That should hold them off for now! Let’s just get out of here!” 

“Alright, follow me!” Akaashi said, and they jogged to the ladder near the right wall. They climbed to the balcony area where Akaashi was hit with a unprovoked memory. He stopped abruptly and everyone stopped with him. 

“What, Akaashi?” Bokuto said, Akaashi shook his head, 

“N-Nothing, Nothing. I’m fine.” He said as he climbed onto of the power box and took out the metal screen from the vent. He took out his phone and shined his light. 

“Kenma and I marked the routes with pink paint so we wouldn’t forget. Since Monokuma’s dead, he can’t stop us anymore.” Akaashk said as they crawled through. It didn’t take long, and they were already to the underground by the time the  Zombiekuma’s broke into the gym, their screams echoed from the vent. Iwaizumi let out a puff of air as he dropped down from the vent behind the rest of them.

“Those things...have teeth.” He said, taking a moment to roll up His pant leg and showed a bleeding bite mark. Yamaguchi kneeled down, 

“I have some plaster, I’ll clean it later for you.” He took out a water bottle and soaked the bandage, 

“Sorry if it burns.” Yamaguchi worked efficiently, as Akaashi started to figure out with ladder they were to climb up. 

“Do we even know what part of the world we’re in?” 

“I swear if we’re in America I’m going to actually kill myself.” Tsukishima said grudgingly. 

Iwaizumi rolled his eyes,

“Oh shut it.” 

Yamaguchi tied his middle fringe back,

“Are you guys ready for this..?” 

Akaashi closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. 

 

“Saving you guys from the real punishment!” 

 

Akaashi opened his eyes and started to unlatch the door.

 



Right when they jumped out of there, Akaashi was blasted with a humid, cold feeling of open air. He almost felt himself tear up, he missed the air so much...Bokuto had fallen in mud as soon as he got out. 

“Woah!! Mud! Oh, kuroo! If only you were here!” Bokuto said wistfully, but was pulled out by Akaashi not too long after.

Tsukishima took Yamaguchi’s hand and they both stepped over it, along with Akaashi and Iwaizumi. Akaashi took in the scenary, they must’ve been near a forest. Yamakuma looked around making noises of astonishment, Yamaguchi putting him down and letting him walk around the new setting. 

“Have you ever seen outside before, Yamakuma?” Yamaguchi asked, Yamakuma shook his head,

“Never!” 

“Then what d’you think?” 

Yamakuma looked around,

“It’s weird!” 

Tsukishima rolled his eyes, but picked up Yama-kuma anyways.

“Do you have a tracking device or something? Do you know where we are?” 

Yamakuma laughed,

“I just told you, i’ve never been outside before! I have no idea where we are. I do...have photographic memory though.” 

Iwaizumi pulled his phone out of his pocket, lifting it into the air.

“...c’mon…” 

Akaashi turned his phone on too, his lock screen of his volleyball team took him by surprise, it being changed to the default for a while after Monokuma tampered with it for the killing game. He sighed, unlocking it. Bokuto put his arm around him and lifted his phone in the air.

“Guys! Let’s take a picture!” 

“What? No way.” Tsukishima said, covering his face. Yamaguchi laughed the smallest amount. Iwaizumi was walking away, still waving his phone in the air,

“At a time like this? Are you nuts?” 

Bokuto sighed, 

“Alright fine, i’m just really happy! We made it out of that hell hole.” Bokuto said, making sure the grass under him was safe to fall backwards on, only regretting it when he felt blood get on him.

“...Yikes.” he said, wiping off the back of his shirt. Akaashi made a tsk noise,

“Look what you did, Bokuto-san.” 

“Not on purpose!” 

Tsukishima looked around, and unsettled expression on his face,

“Should we like...be moving? There were quite a lot of ‘Zombie-kuma’s lurking around over by the entrance.”

Iwaizumi jumped.

“I got signal! Signal!!” 

“Oh, thank god!” Akaashi said, and they all ran to him. Iwaizumi dialed the first number he thought of... the police. 

….

“...Huh?” 

“What? What is it, Iwaizumi-san?” Akaashi said, Iwaizumi looked at him, his face going white. He covered his face,

“Do you guys hear that?” 

Iwaizumi put the phone on speaker, and all you could hear was distant screaming and gurgling. Along with the laugh that they knew so well…

“Puhu! We can’t come to the PHONE right now!!” 

Tsukishima squeezed his eyes shut, Akaashi groaned, Bokuto’s eye twitched as the line went dead. They all looked at each other, Yamaguchi fixing a hanging bandage on his arm,

“So Monokuma wasn’t lying.” 

“Lying about what?!” Iwaizumi said, Akaashi put his own phone back in his pocket.

“That we weren’t ready for what was out here.” Akaashi looked up at the sky, the sun being covered by sheets and sheets of gray. 

“Wait, you don’t think- no, you better not be saying that this is what he meant by-”

The real punishment? ” Bokuto said, Akaashi put his hands on his head. 

“Let’s move. Far. far. FAR, away from this building.” 

“Yeah, i don’t even know why we’re still standing here-” 

 

Crack. 

 

Something from the forest rustled, and they all stepped back. Akaashi gritted his teeth, Bokuto standing in front of him. 

 

BANG! BANG! 

 

Now they turned around, and all braced themselves..

1...2…

 

10...12…

 

More than 50…

 

Zombiekumas. 

Poured out of that sewer drain. 

From the woods? More than that...

 

They circled around them, baring their blood soaked claws and teeth, laughing and growling. Iwaizumi growled back, Bokuto cracked his knuckles. 

“Are you guys ready for this? Are you completely...sure…? T-this is kind of jumping the gun.” Tsukishima made sure he pulled safety lock off his gun, Akaashi glaring,

“Aw, it’s alright. Haven’t we seen this any other day?” 

 

 

“GRAAAAAAHHHHH!” 

 

Charging all at once, but who cared? It felt like a release to be honest, To actual bash your former tormenter’s head open with your own hands is an enriching experience.

Blow after blow…

After blow. 

Iwaizumi let out a battle cry every time he would strike one down, and Bokuto was ominously silent as he took down as many Monokuma’s that came his way. He kept a good eye on Akaashi, who was doing just fine, but watched his back for him. Yamaguchi got his own share of duking it out, he was able to shoot down a few before being able to find and opening. 

“Guys! There’s a highway!” He called, Yamakuma underneath his arm, Iwaizumi followed behind him after stomping one and kicking one across the field. Tsukishima shot a couple more before running, then flanked by Bokuto and Akaashi. The remaining Zombiekuma’s chased them to the best of their ability. Even though the rest of them were mangled to the extent of having wire poking out of their pudgy bodies, getting them tangled up with one another and cartoonishly toppling over. Bokuto laughed out loud as he ran, and Iwaizumi lifted his Zombiekuma-blood-soaked Bat in victory. Yamakuma looked behind at the Zombiekuma's and stuck his tongue out, 

“Losers! Losers!” he said, waving at them as they staggered out of sight. 

 

They stopped for a break underneath the overpass of the highway, abnormally never hearing a Zombiekuma, only distant siren’s wailing and the occasional scream, but they really couldn’t possibly care less. The temperature dropped quickly as the sun started to set, since they felt like taking in everything after all the shit they’ve seen, shrugging on coats and hats and whatever. Bokuto, oddly enough, was able to snag lighter fluid and matches from who knows where and Iwaizumi found some sticks and what not to try and start up a fire. Since they felt like they’d be camping out there, feeling a bit safer since nothing had come to attack them yet. The orange hue painted their bodies a warm colored and heated them up as well. 

“So, does anyone have a...a theory?” Iwaizumi said, cleaning the blood off his bat. Akaashi shrugged, nuzzling close to Bokuto’s side, Yamaguchi hugged Yamakuma closer to his chest and shook his head. Tsukishima took a sip of water and quirked and eyebrow,

“...i dunno? Maybe something like this…” 

 



Bokuto’s jaw was hanging open after Tsukishima finished his analogy. Tsukishima looked pretty content with his reaction. Akaashi nodding his head, 

“That’d..actually make a lot of sense.” he watched the embers of the fire crackle, as Bokuto twirled his fingers. 

 

“So you’re telling me. We’re kidnapped from our regular lives, no questions answered. Have to fear for our lives every second of the day for months, and then have to live through an outbreak of murderous Monokuma’s?” 

“...pretty much.”Tsukishima shrugged.

Fuck that. I’d rather die!”

“B-bokuto-san!” Akaashi swatted him. A laugh erupted from Iwaizumi, and then everyone else. 

 

This is the new normal. 

Fearing for your life i guess...is normal now. 

Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it.