Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandoms:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Megamix AU
Stats:
Published:
2018-02-12
Completed:
2021-08-12
Words:
674,302
Chapters:
105/105
Comments:
16
Kudos:
145
Bookmarks:
41
Hits:
16,442

World of Light: The Subspace Emissary II

Summary:

10 years after the fight against the Subspace Army, the old group in Brawl finds out that their friends are either missing or dead and so by force embark on another dangerous adventure. When newcomers have heard of the returning Subspace Army, bigger than ever before, they would travel through different areas to uncover the truth of the Master Core and Tabuu.

Notes:

So... This originally started as a dream project, basically my interpretation of a Subspace Emissary sequel. Eventually, I gathered more attention, and now I'm building my story into a crossover with a series I really took interest in: the Megamix series. http://aminoapps.com/p/y0c2rs

I cooperated my own ideas into the tale, and I'd like to thank the original curator for this. Well, hope you enjoy this tale that started cringy at first but grew into a better, more fleshed-out story. You can also follow me on the Smash Amino to learn more about this story: http://aminoapps.com/p/6qfho3

Chapter 1: Ten Years Later

Summary:

Ten years after the events of the Subspace Emissary, Mario and a few fighters uncover the first secret that will change their lives forever.

Chapter Text

The blazing-white sun glazed in the afternoon, hovering over the floating arena. The cries of the audience faded into the center, where four swordfighters were attacking one another. The polished steel gleamed as the light flashed on their surfaces, partially blinding both the challengers and audience watching from the distance. When two of the warriors were knocked out into the abyss that seemed to go on forever before being picked up by strange technology in the arena, the only two fighters that remained were a certain, blue-eyed blond, elf-like man, clothed in green, wielding a sword in his left hand, and a brown-haired angel garmented in white with a metallic bow that halved into two blades at will. With one slash, the green-clothed warrior knocked the angel off the stage, but not before the divine being used his own power of flight from the gods above and launched himself back, slashing and continuing the fight.

Sitting in the participant row of the crowd, a short, stout man with blue overalls, a brown moustache, and a red cap on his head was sitting next to who appeared to be a princess dressed in pink. A look of concern on his face, the red-clothed man got up, walking from the battle stage. The princess, named Princess "Toadstool" Peach, noticed he was walking away.

"Mario?" she replied.

As Mario walked to what appeared to be his new and improved room, he sat down on the chair in front of his desk, laying his red cap imprinted with an "M" on it. Short locks of dark brown drifted behind his ears, covering his head. As Mario stroked his moustache, he took a doctor's stethoscope, admiring it for a while before setting it on his desk.

What are we still doing here? Mario thought. Ten years of peace… and I feel as though things haven't changed yet. When Mario noticed an old photo stocked away, he slowly took it out, his white gloves brushing away the dust. Behind those pale layers of gray, worn-out marker spelled out "Smash Bros. 2008", revealing the old gang posing for the picture – Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Pikachu, Pokémon Trainer (with Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle), Jigglypuff, Lucario, Ness, Lucas, Captain Falcon, Marth, Ike, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Olimar, Pit, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Sonic, and Snake.

After all this time, Mario wondered, could it be that there's something we haven't finished yet? Suddenly, Mario was getting flashbacks – everything was in a dark tone, just like the days back when the Subspace Army first attacked. He remembered the enemies involved, how Mr. Game & Watch was harvested and cloned for the Shadow Bugs within him, how the Ancient Minister lost his species to extinction, and how the fighters they allied with turned out to be nothing more than trophies, the one thing they all had in common, but he didn't know why. Why they always fight whoever they come across. Are they some sort of even more ancient civilization lost in time?

Are they… simply toys in the mind of another, playing by a story?

When Mario heard the fan cries of the audience, he suddenly woke from his daydreaming, running out of his room towards the winner of the recent match.

"Link, Link, Link!"

Running out to the winning platform, Mario noticed Link won, leaving an unconscious Pit wounded as though he lost a play fight. Once Mario stepped on the platform, he shook hands with Link, congratulating the Hyrulian.

"Nice, Link! You and everyone else certainly are improving! Strange how we all don't turn into trophies nowadays and I'm the only one that always has to tend to the injured fighters," Mario replied.

"Yeah," Link responded in a soft tone. "It's been like this ever since the fight against Tabuu. Don't you think so, Mario?"

While Link was talking, Mario was just smirking at Pit's tantrums, who was just wailing at a few bruises and crying how much the pain that was delivered to him was so great that he might "die". When Mario suddenly remembered he was in the middle of a conversation, he focused his attention toward Link, answering with, "Of course. I still remember the days, even though I wish I forgot a long time ago."

When the two fighters heard Pit still crying, Link giggled and said, "I think the angel needs you, Mario. Good thing you got a doctor's job years ago."

"And I am still glad I got it," Mario answered. "Take care during the next match, okay?" And just like that, the short plumber walked off the winning platform with Link, getting ready for the next match. Walking off to Princess Peach and Zelda, Mario was suddenly stopped by a familiar face.

"Snake!" Mario replied. "What a pleasant surprise, you old chap! Heck, I almost didn't even notice the eyepatch you're wearing!"

Covering Snake's right eye was a black eyepatch. When Snake noticed it, he said, "What, this thing? I'm wearing it because… because… You know, I certainly can't remember. It makes as much sense as Ike suddenly growing up into a man." Pointing to Ike, Mario noticed the blue-haired mercenary turned from a teenager to a real warrior, bulging muscles and a new look sporting him as he was chatting with Sonic and Ness.

"Anyway," Snake uttered, "I have some news from the Master Hand."

"Master Hand!?" Mario exclaimed.

"Shhh…" Snake whispered while covering Mario's mouth with his hand. "This is a secret between the few of us that know. Come with me."

Following Snake to an abandoned room in the floating arena, Mario saw that the Ice Climbers, Wolf in a new uniform from his previous outfit ten years prior and with his visor missing, the Pokémon Trainer with Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, and Lucas were all here as well.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why I brought you here today," Snake pronounced. "You probably don't think it's possible for the Master Hand to communicate with us outside his world now, but times have changed ever since Tabuu's defeat." Taking a parchment of paper, Snake laid it on the only table in this room, and the fighters gathered around.

"What is that?" Wolf snorted, straightening his new war uniform. "Some kind of morse code?"

"As a matter of fact, yes," Snake answered. "Thank you, Wolf O' Donnell. I know this kind of stuff when I see it. This thing came to me in a vision. Without word, I heard the beeps and quickly wrote it down."

"What does it say?" Lucas asked.

A brief moment of silence hung over the fighters as Snake glared at Lucas with his only visible eye. "Do I really have to explain this to you, kid?" Snake finally asked. "If you're so interested in knowing what it says, it reads, 'ISLE OF THE ANCIENTS FOUND. PEAKING OUT FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE OCEAN. HEAD ON OVER IMMEDIATELY. FIND THE LAST SUBSPACE BOMB. OVER.'"

"Well, let's get going right away!" Mario exclaimed.

"I wouldn't be so sure, plumber," Snake responded. "You see, this message is given to the bravest of fighters who fought against the Subspace Army: us."

When everyone in the room heard about this, they looked at Snake with a face of confusion. "What do you mean?" the Pokémon Trainer finally spoke up.

"Yeah," Mario butted. "I thought the Isle of the Ancients was destroyed a long time ago, with all the Subspace Bombs going off, forever lost in the darkness."

"I dunno why it needs only the few of us to check what remained of that godforsaken place," Snake uttered, "but from what I heard, the last Subspace Bomb somehow survived and we have to investigate that thing."

"Wait, wait, wait," Mario replied. "I thought only R.O.B.'s kind could detonate those Subspace Bombs – two of them each – but weren't they all wiped out?"

"This could mean something," Snake responded, "but whatever it is, only the few of us can ever know what's going on."

"But first of all," Mario asked, "who's going to keep it a secret? Second, why does it need to be kept secret? Thirdly, why only you guys?"

As the dim light flickered above Mario and the others, the quiet air flowed through the curves of the chairs, silencing whatever noise the tiniest specks of dust altered, including the fighters. Once the stillness faded away, Snake riposted, "It's because… For once, you're right. We don't know what we're doing. But whatever the Master Hand orders us to do, we do it without question or ask for his reason why. As for you, Mario, it's best if you hide that we're leaving for the Ruins of the Ancients."

"But," Mario rebutted, "won't the other fighters become suspicious?"

"We're all simply toys," Snake answered. "Playing according to the mind of another being not of this world, I think…"

"I doubt nobody will notice," Mario questioned. "What if we have evolved to the point where we have our own free will? Not merely just slaves?"

A single moment passed by. Neither knew what was going to happen to them, regardless of the task they were all given. Walking out of the room without a single one answering, Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Pokémon Trainer with Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle, and Lucas ran off, grabbing a map and whatever equipment they could find, leaving Mario with a look of worry on his face. Later, when the bright sun was beginning to dim into a neon-orange and lower itself in the sky behind the horizon, the stout plumber stopped them before the moment they set out the door to the hovercar garage.

"Be careful," Mario uttered. "I'll make sure nobody finds out."

Everyone started to walk out, except for Charizard and Lucas, who ran towards Mario and gave him a farewell hug.

"We'll miss you, old buddy," Lucas wept.

Once the hug was broken, Mario patted the blond-haired boy's and the Pokémon's shoulders, answering, "I'll miss you guys, too."

"Charizard!" the Pokémon Trainer cried out. "Come over here! I need a mount! You too, Lucas! The others are waiting for you!"

Once Charizard and Lucas walked off, they waved goodbye to Mario, who shut the wide-open door behind them, getting into a nearby hovercar with the others and fly away towards the Ruins of the Ancients.

I hope they'll be alright, Mario thought. After all, the Subspace Army can't have returned, right?

Chapter 2: Returning Trauma

Summary:

Once Snake and his crew arrive at the Ruins of the Ancients, they get involved in another battle between good and evil.

Chapter Text

The sun rose on the horizon, revealing the mountains bathed in green and the sky cloaked a ravenous violet fading into a bright blue. Mario was the first to get up, slipping from his shirtless, cyan boxers into his usual clothing, straightening up his cap. Slowly climbing out from his bed and walking from his room, he noticed most of the other fighters were already up, either getting ready for another battle at the arena or gossiping about something. Wait a minute...

Mario heard Zero Suit Samus talking with Fox, Captain Falcon, Zelda, and Peach. Starting to get worried about what the situation could be, the stout plumber ran over to the group immediately, trying to hear what it is they were talking about.

Zero Suit Samus, her voice sounding sassy but tough as well as gentle, resounded, "And there I was, just cleaning up my Power Suit, when all of a sudden I caught a glimpse of Snake taking Mario somewhere in this place. I followed them to one of the old stash rooms, where Red with his three 'Pocket Monsters', the Ice Climbers, Wolf O' Donnell, and Lucas were talking about some sort of ruins partially sticking out of the ocean, and they just left with one of the hovercars in the big garage missing."

Peach, looking rather suspicious, asked, "How do you know they left for some ancient ruins?"

Just then, Mario noticed the blond-haired bounty hunter in the skin-tight blue Zero Suit pulled out a small parchment with the morse code on it, having the translation on the bottom. "I have proof," she answered. Mario felt shocked when his secret was gossiped. Terrified, he ran towards Samus Aran and pulled her away from the conversation.

"How-a did you know this?" Mario lamented. "I thought we kept this a secret."

"Should have kept your skeleton in the cupboard better, pal," Zero Suit Samus responded, playing with the parchment in her hands. "Now everyone knows about the disappearance you kept from us." And that Mario did remember. It had only been a few days ever since Snake and the others left, and he had been keeping the fighters from knowing about their absence and what remained of the Subspace Army.

"But... you're not supposed to know about our friends disappearing." Mario objected.

"Well," Samus rebutted, "if you had really kept it under the rug better, maybe I wouldn't have known, but nope. Even I have feelings about this situation."

"Look," Mario interrupted. "I don't know why this is happening, but as long as everyone plays along, we should be fine, right?"

"Play along with what?" Before Mario could answer, Samus Aran walked off, throwing the parchment with the morse code and translation on the ground. When Mario picked it up, he deeply sighed and watched as Peach shook her head, heading on over to the central stage to participate in the next battle.

I was right… Mario pulled the cap over his face. We might be self-aware we're in a story. Snake and the others should have never gone off. Who knows what could happen?


Hundreds of miles from land to sea, Snake, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer, Charizard, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Ice Climbers, and Lucas were driving their hovercar towards to what appeared to be a set of islands, some scattered far apart and closer than others, surrounding the largest of them at the center.

When the other fighters saw their destination, Wolf said, "That's our Isle of the Ancients? That looks like nothing more than a buncha islands in the middle of nowhere."

"You wanna know why we're here?" Snake asked. "Two things. One: Take a look at the map. Try to figure out if they are like pieces of a puzzle long lost in history."

Pulling out the map, Snake gave it to the fighters behind him. When everyone took a glimpse of the old Isle of the Ancients, they quickly figured out there are some pieces of what remained, and the rubble that survived being sucked into Subspace now looked more luscious green and less of a civilization.

"Second," Snake then answered, "you see that glowing cross at the center?" When Snake pointed to the center island, the other fighters saw that it looked almost like a perfect circle, and there was a glowing area that shined like a cross, even though it was off-center.

"The brightest part is our destination," Snake lamented. "The area where the two light lines intersect."

When the fighters found a place to land their hovercar, they unpacked their stuff and set out for the glowing area in the center of the bright cross.

"I hope we'll be alright," Lucas whimpered.

"You were brave enough to fight against Tabuu, kid," Wolf resorted. "If you can manage fighting against the entire Subspace Army, then you can manage looking for a home powerful enough to rip a hole to another dimension."

When the group was walking through the uncharted territory, they noticed pieces of a city that seemed to belong to the Ancients. As they walked through ruins of a long-lost civilization, they came across what appeared to be a development nursery where more of R.O.B.'s kind was made. Nowadays, the place looked like a cemetery, metal corpses lying around with wires sticking out, and their bodies were rusted and covered with moss.

Lucas was mainly observing the Ancients with Charizard, looking over the few frozen stuck in the ground and disjointed. Slowly walking up to one of the unburied graves, Lucas held Charizard's paw while placing a small, white flower he found in the forest on the soft dirt.

"I'm sorry about what happened," Lucas said. "I wonder if there's anything we can do to avenge your kind." Walking off while still holding Charizard's hand, Lucas was just about ready to head back to the rest of the group before finding out the fighters already went off without them.

"Guys?" Lucas whimpered. "Snake? Wolf? Ice Climbers? Anyone? Why'd they go off without us?" When the blond-haired PSI boy hugged Charizard, he didn't know that the Fire-Type Pokémon was starting to pick up the Pokémon Trainer's scent, knowing that they were still walking off to the glowing area in the light cross's center. Once Lucas gathered his confidence, he saw that even if they were far separated from the group, he can still figure out where they're going and meet up with them there.

"Come on, Charizard!" Lucas cried when he ran off to the destination. "We can still catch up!" And just like that, Charizard flew towards Lucas and headed to their location.

Meanwhile, Snake and the others figured out that few of their teammates were left behind while wandering through the deepest part of the overgrown forest.

"Don't you think we should wait up for them, Snake?" Red asked.

"It's fine," Snake replied while brushing away the thick bushes. "I'm sure either they can follow to our location or wait for us to get back."

When Snake cleared a path for the group, the fighters saw they were on the edge of a small plain that seemed to curve in on itself somewhat like a crater, with the last Subspace Bomb in the center, dull-colored and scratched while plants surrounded its surface and dug into the center timer. But, since it was abandoned for years, the detonating wires fell off and several species of tiny insects were living underneath the rubber coverage.

"Well," Snake replied, "there it is. The last Subspace Bomb."

"We gonna be taking it home?" Wolf asked.

"Sure thing," Snake answered. "From what I heard, we have to take it back to the base and study it further, maybe even learn a little something about our enemy…"

Lucas and Charizard were still away from a distance when they saw the rest of their group attempting to dig up the Subspace Bomb and analyze it further. The blond-haired PSI was about to call out for them when they suddenly heard a strange noise.

"What was that?" Popo and Nana stammered while hugging each other.

"I don't know," Red said, Ivysaur and Squirtle at his side, "but whatever it is, we're ready."

Just when the noise was quieting down, a big gush of air rushed above the trees, above Lucas and Charizard. Observing from a distance, the group saw that out of the blue appeared a powerful war plane that looked and behaved much like a dragon. The artificial monster had metallic scales, and its heavy wings were carried by fast jets strong enough to break the sound barrier. The spines on its back were so sharp they looked like they would cut through steel, and their eyes glowed an unholy flame. When the machine caught its eye on the group, it flew down with a mighty roar, and its mouth opened to reveal fire in the back of its throat. Once it was on a low levitation from the ground, it shot a great ball that seemed to burn half as bright as the sun, scorching the tall grass in its path.

"Everyone, get out of the way!" Snake exclaimed. When Snake and the group jumped away, the fireball hit some of the trees, resulting in a powerful blast that left a large crater after the explosion. After the group got up, they saw the machine flew back for more, firing more blasts at the group, all while everyone was dodging the explosions, figuring out a plan on how to get that thing on the ground.

"What the heck is that thing!?" Red asked, hiding in the tall grass.

"I don't think we know, but for the sake of this fight, we'll just call it... a Winged Firestorm," Snake answered, ducking once the creature flew overhead.

Once Snake was at a clear spot, he readied a missile with his RPG, firing at the monster's base of its neck. The moment the machine saw Snake with the weapon in his hand, it dashed right towards him, but not while Wolf started to jump on the beast and claw through its steel skin. The marks that were exposed revealed a weak spot underneath the metal. Once the exposure was shown, Wolf jumped off and landed next to Snake.

"Nice work, Wolf," Snake replied.

"It's nothing," Wolf responded.

The Ice Climbers were jumping onto its back, using ice to crack open the weak spot and make it wider, hanging onto each other while the beast was trying to shake them off. Lucas and Charizard were going on over to help their buddies, but they were stopped by the fireballs blasted from the machine. Once the weak spot was revealed, Red turned the cap on his head behind him, and turned to Squirtle.

"Alright, buddy," Red replied. "Squirtle, use Hydro Blast!"

Once Squirtle got perfect aim, the young Pokémon fired a powerful blast of water, drenching the fire spreading on the ground and cutting through the metal skin on the machine. When the monster felt the water shearing its neck, it let out a weak roar before it crashed into the ground and died, right next to the last Subspace Bomb.

"Way to go, guys!" Snake said.

"That dragon was no match for our teamwork!" Nana peeped.

When Red saw Lucas and Charizard waving at them, he remarked, "Come on, guys. We forgot Lucas and Charizard. They were trying to get to us all this time. The least we can do is reunite with them."

"Good point," Snake answered. "Well, then. Let's grab the bomb and get out of here. Huh?"

When the group looked up at the sky, they saw more of those Winged Forestorms, and the one they defeated was leaking out a few Shadow Bugs, the primary enemies of the Subspace Army, even though there was only a tiny portion of it. As the black-and-purple mist poured out onto the ground, creatures known as Primids rose up, with scars on their faces this time and sporting claws on their hands, and their eyes were more red, downcast, and dull, each one having three or more eyes on their faces, one, or a very rare addition of two. Once the fighters noticed the Primids shuffling like zombies behind them, the dragons spewed out more Shadow Bugs from their bellies, the latches opening and, like bombs, slowly floated to the ground, creating all the past minor enemies of the Subspace Army.

"Shadow Bugs?" Red said. "What are they doing here? I thought we sealed the gateway to Subspace forever!"

"Well, they probably somehow found a way back into our world," Snake answered. "Now, just stay together and let's fight our way out of here."

"What about the bomb we were supposed to bring back?" Wolf asked.

"The bomb is not that important right now," Snake responded. "We'll have to come back another day."

The sky was darkening with a black-red cloud above the Ruins of the Ancients, and the Primids' eyes glared brighter in a blood shade, signs of mouths dripping and slobbering violet their stained, jagged teeth (which they didn't have before), and sprouted demonic wings that were never actually used for flying and instead only used for intimidation. There were a few Primids in the classical style from ten years ago, which tensed up the atmosphere waiting to arise.

The Primids started running rather fast and began attacking the fighters. Snake grabbed his grenades, pulling the triggers with his mouth and rolling them beside the Primids' feet, which exploded in place. Wolf grabbed his blaster, firing the enemies in the air while Red got Ivysaur and Squirtle to fire their poison seeds and water blasts on the ground. Meanwhile, the metal dragons circled around them in the air, burning a circle in the grass and dropping out more Shadow Bugs, trapping Lucas and Charizard outside when they were just running in to help their buddies.

"We can't just stand around doing nothing," Lucas cried. "We've got to go in! Fly us over that wall of fire!"

After Lucas got on Charizard's back, the PSI boy kicked with his heel, light enough to get the Pokémon going. Once Charizard spread his wings, he flew over the tall flames, his body covering the last speck of sunlight that was hidden from the black-red cloud. When the two fighters got on over, they saw Snake, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Red with Ivysaur and Squirtle attacking the Generators spawned by the metal dragons, which created Mites in small groups that teamed up with the minor Subspace Army members.

Snake was still blasting many of the metal dragons out of the sky with his Nikita, those either crashing into the sky or in the sea, Wolf and the Ice Climbers grabbed their weapons and attacked the Buckots that were just about to pour hot, liquid iron on their heads while avoiding the drops that spilled out and disintegrated the ground below them. The Pokémon Trainer was in a safe spot, giving orders to Ivysaur to spew poison mist, intoxicating the incoming Primids and forcing them to collapse and die, while Squirtle used his shell attack and, like a Koopa, whacked himself against the other enemies, leaving a Shadow Bug mess like soft gore where some of the Subspace Army minor members should be.

"Red!" Lucas cried out. When the Pokémon Trainer saw Lucas with Charizard, he tried running towards them, but all of a sudden, the largest of the metal dragons, tainted blue with golden scar-like stripes, landed next to the last Subspace Bomb where the Primids, Mites, Buckots, and all the other dragons and minor Subspace Army allies gathered around. There, the lead dragon opened up its stomach to lower down a floating platform, and there were six strange figures. Because of the unholy smoke staining the fighters' eyes, they couldn't figure out what they really looked like, but they could add the details of the silhouettes against the fire. Three of them looked almost identical to each other, short, human-like bodies but not quite, each one of them holding different weapons of choice – fists, sword, and arm cannon; two of them seemed to be psychic as they were levitating a few inches off the ground, and one seemed to have long, silky hair, a thin sword multiple times as big as the wielder himself, and one wing sprouting out from his right shoulder. Once the wildfire was spreading, the minor Subspace Army members were closing in around the fighters, their bloodshed eyes glowing brighter than ever.

Knowing that not all of them will survive the Subspace Army's new recruits, Red ran towards Lucas and Charizard, hugging them tight and saying, "Lucas, take Charizard with you. Fly back home and tell everyone… the Subspace Army has returned, and this time they have new recruits. Whatever you do, don't look back."

"What?" Lucas exclaimed. "Are you crazy?"
"Trust me," Red replied. "We'll find our way back to you."

Just when Lucas got on Charizard's back again, the Pokémon started growling sadly, and the Trainer answered, "No, Charizard. This is the last order I'm going to give you for now. Promise you'll come back for me when this is over."

When Charizard and Lucas took off into the skies, they were blasting all sorts of flying enemies from the sky, even a few of the metal dragons with PK Fires and Flare Blitzes. After they saw an opening in the black-red cloud, they flew out against the broad daylight, heading out to the mainland and leaving the rest of their friends behind.

Meanwhile, the Pokémon Trainer, Ivysaur, Squirtle, the Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake were eventually beaten up and unconscious, while the Primids gathered two pairs of arms from the Ancient corpses. Two of the strange figures cast some sort of magic on them, granting the limbs sentience. The Primids placed the enchanted robot arms in the trigger holes and started the countdown. The last Subspace Bomb was activated and began the countdown to 10 seconds.

"It wouldn't be long now," one of the strange figures whispered, still hiding in the shadows against the fire. "Soon, we'll find more resources to create the perfect world, and no one will be around to witness it. Take the trophies we got prisoner. We'll follow those that escaped to the rest of their friends."

When the last Subspace Bomb finished the countdown, a large explosion ripped through the air, filling the air with a hole leading to the depths of space, and the black-red cloud started expanding faster. The metal dragons escaped the explosion, few flying into the portal to ready the defenses while most of them went into the mainland, the leader heading in Lucas' and Charizard's direction.

Chapter 3: Everything Changes

Summary:

The fighters are unprepared for the Subspace Army's revenge, and the Mii Fighters stand by Tabuu's side this time.

Chapter Text

Back at the floating arena, Mario was in his room, slumping on his bed. Holding the old photo of the group, he was thinking about the friendships he made all this time, and how it could probably be all broken because of the secret revealed about the last Subspace Bomb. Just then, Mario heard a knock on the door and slowly slid the photo in his overalls' pocket.

"Hey, it's Sonic," the voice from outside called out from the door. "Is it fine if I come in?"

"Yeah, sure," Mario answered. "The door's open."

Sonic slowly walked in, the door creaking, quietly waving at Mario who was still sitting on the bed. Rubbing his eyes, the blue hedgehog sat on the bed, next to the plumber.

"By the way," Sonic lamented, "I'm sorry about what happened earlier today."

"No, no. It's my fault," Mario replied. "I was the one who got into this mess when I helped Snake and his friends head over to what remained of the Ancients. They received a note from the Master Hand to check out the last Subspace Bomb."

"Listen, Mario," Sonic said. "Despite everything that's happened all because you won't tell the truth, I'm one of the many fighters who can take the blame, because that's what a good friend does. I've been living in this world unaffected by those transformations, and I have noticed recently that you guys haven't been transformed yet. Wonder why. Regardless, I am always happy to provide with what you can't remember. We can be more than just toys, y'know."

Mario thought about the times he put his teammates in a tough situation and helped them get out of it, considering he was one of the few trophies who was only here for fighting. Holding Sonic's hand, the plumber answered, "Thanks for your advice, hedgehog. I'm sure we can think of something to keep this under control."

Sonic and Mario smiled at each other, but just then Ike walked in, tired and catching his breath.

"What is it?" Sonic asked. "Is there something wrong?"

"Uh-huh," Ike responded. "Lucas and Charizard are back, and they're in the center stage, trying to tell the crowd about an… attack, or something?"

Just then, Mario got up from his bed, running off. Sonic and Ike were following the plumber, the blue hedgehog eventually catching up because what else would you expect from the fastest thing alive?

Mario, Sonic, and Ike eventually met up with all the other fighters – Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Wario, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Mr. Game & Watch, Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Pit, Marth, Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Lucario, Jigglypuff, R.O.B., Ness, Captain Falcon, and Olimar – seeing that Lucas and Charizard were trying to tell everyone about the fight they just witnessed while the crowd was mumbling in fear.

"Listen, everyone!" Lucas cried out. "The Subspace Army has returned, and we have to get ready!" However, no matter how hard the blond-haired PSI boy tried to make all of it sound true, it seemed no one believed him except for all the other fighters. Lucas looked at his friends, tears in his eyes.

"Please," Lucas wept. "You have to leave. The Subspace Army has taken our buddies and is on their way here. There are new recruits we haven't seen yet, but we can tell they're very dangerous. If we're not careful, we might be next on their killing list!"

"Woah, woah, woah," Fox spoke, trying to calm Lucas down. "What happened?"

"Snake and the others have been captured," Lucas answered as calmly as he could. "Charizard and I were the only ones to escape."

The fighters all looked at each other, worry in their faces. Link, his voice sweet and compassionate, replied, "We understand, kid. Now come on. We have to get out of here before- What the-?"

Just then, the sky turned a dark red, the people were screaming in fear, and the Winged Firestorm colored blue soared through the sky, breathing Shadow Bugs onto the stage. When the fighters saw the purplish-black specks falling, they moved out of the way, watching as they clustered together to form Primids and the lowest members of the Subspace Army.

"It's the Winged Firestorm Pro!" Lucas exclaimed, trembling in fear as Charizard growled. "They've found us!"

"I thought this would never happen again," Lucario muttered, "but I guess we'll be doing this once more." Readying their choices of weapons, the fighters all rushed towards the minor Subspace Army members. The dragon, in the meantime, was hovering over the arena, and a voice was booming out from its mouth: "Take as many as you can prisoner. Raid the items room and steal whatever you can find. These resources are perfect to recreate the weapons of the past."

The minor Subspace Army members rushed towards the fighters, their claws outspread and their blood-red eyes glowing bright with envy. Mario rushed in, blasts of fire coming out of his hands, as he punched a few Primids in the face and burned them alive. Luigi followed in to his brother, but since he was more cowardly he only went out with a few fireballs while slapping the Primids with his hands, crying in fear.

Peach was pelting with turnips, Bowser slamming and knocking them sky-high, Wario rode his bike, running over the Primids; R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch were beating up whatever enemy attacked them. Link, Pit, Marth, and Ike were using their weapons and swords, Sonic went faster than the naked eye and launched the minor Subspace Army members into oblivion, Samus in her Zero Suit was agile in her movement and with her newly equipped jet boots kicked most of the Primids out of the Midair Stadium, and Zelda launched blasts of magic, and the Primids that fell out of the center stage spontaneously combusted down below.

Once all the fighters cleared the area and everyone in the crowd evacuated, more Shadow Bugs were raining out of the sky, but this time they just stood there as they took their physical forms. The Winged Firestorm Pro flew back, and it just hovered in midair as the hatches in its stomach opened and black rope fell down in the Midair Stadium. Then, three figures slid onto the stage, meeting the fighters on the stage as the Subspace Army backed away as best as they could. The figures almost looked exactly the same to each other – peculiar bodies that resemble a humanoid's structure while still being rather small, and all they wore were black cloaks marked with two perpendicular lines colored many different shades of the rainbow flowing like fire, with the insides of their hoods so dark you can't make out their faces, and their arms were sticking out – with only a few different features; the figure with the red arms was wielding its bare hands, the one with dark blue a sword, and the one with orange a motion-controlled arm cannon. More figures slid down onto the stage, but they weren't wearing masks and instead exposing their faces, as many of them too were wielding weapons of their own. The faces looked peculiar being supported by their single-colored bodies, and each one of them resembled humans but were unique in their own way.

"What are those things?" Zelda asked.

"I don't think anybody knows, princess," Zero Suit Samus answered.

"Please," the figure with the fists called out onto the empty stadium. "Don't hesitate to call us by our preferred names: the Ultimates of the Mii Fighter clan. Although I feel like just Ultimates are a better choice."

"Three types - Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner, three times the pain," Sonic spoke to the fighters. "I've got a good feeling they don't remember me anymore..." Fox looked at Sonic, starting to grow a little suspicious about the blue hedgehog. For whatever reason, the Star Fox mercenary knew there was something Sonic wasn't telling the other fighters.

"What do you want from us?" Meta Knight cried out.

"Just a little something," the Gunner Ultimate replied. "How about… giving yourself up for Tabuu?"

"But Tabuu's dead," Pit objected. "We killed him a long time ago and sealed the doorway to Subspace forever."

"Why do you think you see the Subspace Army in front of you?" the Gunner Ultimate asked. "Not that you can ask us. We are just the first in command, y'know. Wait… that robot…" When the Gunner Ultimate noticed R.O.B., she sent out two of the Mii Fighters to drag him out. R.O.B. tried struggling, but their grasp was firm. Eventually, they let the robot go and pushed him onto the ground.

"Well, well, well," the Swordfighter Ultimate said. "If it isn't the Ancient Minister himself. I almost didn't even notice you lost that thought translator when we heard your cloak burned up, which WE have by the way."

"Hey, and don't forget that 2D render you guys brought with you," the Brawler Ultimate replied as he pointed to Mr. Game & Watch.

"Enough fun and games-a," Mario said. "Why have you come here?"

"Oh, just to bring you guys a little present," the Swordfighter Ultimate answered. "You're pretty obvious about the rules of the world have be altered a lot so now you can't die but you can't turn into trophies either, right?"

"Sure, we're sure," Zero Suit Samus remarked.

"Well," the Gunner Ultimate debated, "all you know is just a tiny fraction of what really happens around here nowadays. Bring out the Dark Cannon!"

The pilots inside the metal dragon heard the command and the latches on the airship's stomach opened once again, gently lowering down a familiar weapon from the past. The fighters all looked at it in fear when they remembered what it does.

"I'm sure many of you have seen a Dark Cannon, or used it, before," the Brawler Ultimate said, "and how it's charged with the pure essence of Tabuu's Off-Waves, capable of turning anyone back into their trophy selves. But as we were recovering the last existing one from its long-lost tomb, we noticed it does something a little different – one that you are unable to reverse for as long as you live on this worthless planet. And, just for fun, we will be testing it to show you what it can do as of now. Troops!"

Few of the Mii Fighters dragged out Mario, Link, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus out of the group, and the fighters cannot do anything to stop them. Once the Dark Cannon was set in place and it started charging, those that were dragged out to be perfect targets looked at the others and gave each other a face of worry.

"Don't worry," Link sighed. "No matter what happens to us, we just want to tell you guys how much we all lo–"

Before Link was about to finish, he felt himself get hit by the Dark Cannon's bullet, which also rammed right into Mario, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus in one strike. After a brief second of blinding light, the fighters saw that Mario, Link, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus were slowly waking up. When the targeted fighters got up, they felt perfectly fine – to make things even stranger, a little floatier. However, just as soon as they looked to their right, they saw what appeared to be four more unconscious bodies lying next to them. When those fighters too got up, they blankly stared at their original copies, while the rest of the group looked with shocks of fright in their faces.

Mario was observing his cloned copy, muttering, "Is that… me? As Dr. Mario? That coat… the headpiece… oh, no…"

For Link, he thought, "Could that be… an alternate version of me? That kid who looks like he belongs in a cartoon? Toon Link?"

Zelda, her face looking rather terrified, stammered, "Sheik? The person I pretended to be when I ran away from Hyrule Castle for seven years?"

Zero Suit Samus, confused, said, "Since when did my Power Suit have a mind of its own? Being Samus is one thing, but I've just officially become Zero Suit Samus. I wonder who's piloting that thing now that it's out of my life…"

"What happened?" the targeted fighters asked.

"Fragments of your minds are now in separate bodies," the Swordfighter Ultimate answered. "What the Dark Cannon does now is split an important part of your personalities into a completely different person, those of which will revolt against you and destroy you."

"You'll both have new abilities compared to when you were whole," the Gunner Ultimate said, "but hey, you'll get used to it because this will never go away for as long as you live. And as for the rest of you, you're all next."

The Mii Fighters and the Ultimates then readied their weapons as the Dark Cannon was beginning to charge once again. It seemed like all was lost for the fighters, but Sonic rushed in and snatched the Dark Cannon out of the Subspace Army's hands.

"Looks like we'll make sure none of this ever happens again," Sonic remarked, his face away from the charging weapon. And just like that, the blue hedgehog snapped it in two and tossed it over the stage, deep down into the chasm below.

"Good work, Sonic-a," Mario cheered.

"You idiot," the Brawler Ultimate growled. "What have you done? The Dark Cannon will explode when it's finished charging and now it's snapped in half. There's unidentified matter in that large pit, and if the following explosion connects, half of the Midair Stadium will become demolished!"

"Well," Sonic smirked. "Looks like you should have told me before I broke it. But, it's your loss."

"Shut up!" the Gunner Ultimate exclaimed. "Subspace Army, ATTACK! Take whoever you can prisoner and get the rest of our troops in the items vault back up here immediately! We need to have hostages and resources and flee as soon as we can! We have two minutes max!"

Soon, it was going to be a big blood battle between the Subspace Army and the still rather small group of fighters, and when the two minutes are up, no one wins in the end, so the best solution is to head towards the emergency exit and stop whatever gets in their way. Lucas and Charizard were just about to go with them, but they felt themselves latched in chains by the classic Primids, pulled towards the metal dragon while the Primids who ran into the items room came back with whatever they got.

"We have to get out of here as fast as we can!" Zelda cried. "We're going to have to take whatever vehicle we can find and go!"

"But Charizard and Lucas are being taken away!" Marth said, pointing at the Pokémon and PSI boy who are being dragged into the blue-tainted metal dragon by chains and were struggling to get free from the Primids and Mii Fighters, crying for help.

"We can always come back for them later," Zelda answered. "Right now, we all have to get out of here before this place goes down with us in it!"

Marth, nodding his head in command, waved towards the two fighters being taken prisoner with the items into the Winged Firestorm Pro, yelling, "Don't worry! We'll come back for you! Just hang in there!"

Just like that, all the fighters that weren't captured ran off towards the vehicles in the emergency exit, with a quartz bridge to cross the abyss. Most of them managed to get across, but the Ultimates noticed they too were getting away.

Waving to a large red Nagagog, the Brawler Ultimate pointed to the bridge at the exit and ordered, "Destroy that bridge before any more of them escape!" And then, running towards the quartz bridge, the Nagagog slammed its body into the quartz, sacrificing itself as if fell to the bottom. The leftover rubble was crumbling, splitting the bridge. Mario, Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda managed to make it before the bridge broke, but their replicates were hanging on for dear life on their side, not letting go of the other.

"We gotta save them!" Mario told the three.

"But didn't you hear the Ultimates!?" Link asked. "They said that these clones will destroy us when we least expect it!"

Mario looked at the fighters hanging on for dear life, all while he saw the blue metal dragon flying off with the Ultimates, the Subspace Army, the Mii Fighters, and their friends Charizard and Lucas prisoner. A sharp light in Mario's eyes gleamed when he looked at the rest of his companions, saying, "The rest of you, go on without us."

"WHAT!?" all the fighters exclaimed.

"We'll be catching up with you," Mario answered. "And it's our job to make sure almost all of us gets out okay. Link, Zero Suit Samus, Zelda. You three will have to team up with me and save our buddies. Us guys will be going on Samus Aran's Ship. Until then, goodbye."

Many of the fighters were starting to weep, knowing that their friends may not make it. Sonic, looking at the flames spreading across the Midair Stadium for whatever reason, wept, "I guess this is goodbye if you guys don't make it." With a quick dash, the blue hedgehog hugged the red-capped plumber, and Mario hugged Sonic in return. Once the hug was broken, everyone ran off towards the exit, and Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda stayed behind.

"Well, come on," Mario replied. "We gotta help our replicates. They are living beings, after all, whether they're good or evil. And this place is gonna blow up any minute. If we don't get out right now, we're history."

Grabbing Dr. Mario's hand, Mario and his teammates pulled the clones up, as the white-coated doctor got out first, followed by Toon Link, then Samus, and then Sheik. Once the replicates were on solid ground on the now-broken quartz bridge, the eight fighters ran off towards the exit, ready to grab Samus's Ship and fly out of here.

Meanwhile, all the other fighters were heading towards the hovercar parking lot. There were a series of large spaceships, two of which were the Big Blue and a large Wolfen Assault.

"Looks like we're going to have to pick one or the other," Meta Knight said. "The space will be cramped, I know, but at least they're the only ones so far that have enough fuel to get us out of here."

Suddenly, a Greap landed between the large group of fighters, splitting them apart. As the minor Subspace Army member was rapidly swinging its scythe-like arms, Captain Falcon, Meta Knight, Marth, Ike, Pit, Olimar, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Peach, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Lucario, Jigglypuff, and Wario were on the Falcon Flyer's side, while Luigi, Diddy Kong, Fox, Falco, Yoshi, Kirby, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Pikachu, Ness, and Sonic were at a larger version of the Wolfen Assault. When the Greap started charging towards those at Wolf's ship, a large slash suddenly ran right through the Greap's thick skin, damaging its internal organs. Once the Greap was killed, the fighters saw that it was a Phantom summoned by Princess Zelda. After the Phantom disappeared, the Hyrulian princess looked at her hands, muttering, "Those Ultimates were right about one thing: we do have our own unique abilities." Mario, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Link, and Toon Link caught up to Zelda, and Mario was tugging at her dress, saying, "We found Samus's Ship. Now, let's go with the group we're stuck with and fly out of here, everyone."

Once everyone got in their ships, turned them on, and hovered off the ground, the last Dark Cannon that was broken had just finished charging, and once it fired, it created a small blast that connected with the unnatural matter in the abyss, making a chain of explosions and destroying parts of the Midair Stadium. The lead metal dragon of the Subspace Army got out just in time, but the three ships didn't even leave and got caught in the blast, splitting from each other and flying off miles into the different corners of the land before they crashed.

Chapter 4: The Fighters of Skyworld

Summary:

Palutena and Dark Pit know about what happened, and they are willing to fight this time for the greater good.

Chapter Text

High up in the heavens, where gods and goddesses watch the land from above in the kingdom of Skyworld, someone was looking through a small mirror pool in a vast, empty room. That person was the wisest and fairest of the gods: Palutena, Goddess of Light. As the green-haired maiden was watching through the mirror, spying on the land, she noticed an explosion going on in the center. Driven by curiosity, she used her staff to zoom in on the situation. Covering her mouth in shock, she saw the Midair Stadium, engulfed in flames and crashing down onto the land.

"Oh, no," Palutena muttered. "I sure hope Pit is alright with his new friends." As she was about to walk off to investigate this further, she suddenly noticed the Winged Firestorm Pro flying off into the distance. As Palutena used her staff again to zoom in, she studied that the dragon looked like something not of this world and is part of none other than the Subspace Army.

"I thought those guys were taken care of ten years ago by Pit and his friends," Palutena said. "Well, now that they're back, I think now's my chance to join the battle this time."

Opening the door outside to Skyworld, Palutena was just about to walk off to the mortal world, taking a deep breath as she looked behind her one last time. Just then, she saw a figure running towards her from the shadows.

"If you're going," the figure called out, "it's my duty to make sure you're okay." The figure that walked out was a person that looked almost similar to Pit, but he had dark brown eyes, raven black hair, wings, and clothes, and he had a gloomy, irritated mood rather than happy and cheerful – Dark Pit.

"Why, Pittoo," Palutena replied, "if you really want to fight against a powerful army, you're going to have to work hard to earn it."

"Two things," Pittoo lamented. "One: will you please stop calling me Pittoo? You know how much I HATE that name. Second: you know how much I care for Pit-stain. Why, he sacrificed himself for me and I at least helped save him from a fate worse than death. The least you can do is let me go out with you so I can find Pit and make sure he's fine. And another thing, I was fighting against the Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature, pretty much because I AM a copy of Pit."

"Well, alright," Palutena said. "However, you'll have to be able to fly if you want to join the battle."

"You gave Pit his own usage of the Power of Flight ten years ago," Dark Pit lamented, "and I have Pandora's powers for my wings. It was nice serving as a replacement of captain of the guards, but I would like to see him again soon."

Dark Pit ran towards Palutena to the door, ready to stretch his wings and take off, but they were stopped by another voice.

"Stop this instant!" the voice of a childlike person echoed through the room. When the second figure walked into the light, it was revealed to be Viridi, Goddess of Nature.

"You are not taking one step out that door, Lady Palutena!" Viridi commanded.

"Oh," Palutena giggled, "and why's that?"

"For reasons unbeknownst," Viridi answered, "the Underworld Army AND my Forces of Nature are teaming up with the Subspace Army, laying waste to Skyworld! Even my powers are useless to stop them!"

"This sounds bad," Palutena resounded.

"You think!?" Viridi asked. "The Forces of Nature were supposed to eliminate humans but were destroyed by your faithful little angel, and the Underworld Army disappeared after Hades was defeated! Do you think this could be the cause of the Subspace Army's return? Because if so, then I don't think our troops can hold them back from destroying Skyworld for long."

As Palutena and Dark Pit looked out into Skyworld, they saw that the Forces of Nature and the Underworld Army were not attacking each other, but they were instead with some of the minor Subspace Army members breaking apart pieces of Skyworld.

"Then I guess we have no choice," Palutena said. "There's far too many that not even the centurions can exterminate them all. You're going to have to bring out the All-Powerful Sky Barrier."

"What!?" Pittoo and Viridi exclaimed. The Goddess of Nature then objected, "Are you crazy? If you and Dark Pit lure these creatures out there once the barrier is activated, you may never come back and be stuck with those miserable humans forever!"

"Well, Pit never came back after the fight against Tabuu," Palutena replied. "It would be nice to be stuck with him forever instead of wait here, wondering if he'll ever come back, not even knowing that he'll grow old and die."

"But he's an angel," Viridi said. "He can't truly die, but his friends can."

"But there's more to why we must help him this time," Palutena said. "Now, once we lead the Subspace Army out of Skyworld, we'll send you a signal to activate the All-Powerful Sky Barrier so that no one can get in or out, only helping humans with your powers, okay?"

Viridi, shock in her eyes, then moaned, "Okay, then."

Once Palutena and Dark Pit stepped onto the platform again, Palutena turned to Viridi and said, "Oh, one more thing. Please promise to never attack the humans for as long as I'm gone, despite how much you think they're contaminants and should be wiped out."

"Why would I?" Viridi replied. "The Forces of Nature would never listen to me right now and I doubt they ever will, so I can't even attack the humans if I want to."

"Good," Palutena smirked. After the argument, the goddess and the angel doppelganger jumped off, diving straight down to the soft, fluffy clouds down below.

The Monoeyes and the Daphnes in the air were the first to notice the pair falling from Palutena's Temple. Firing their balls of magic and bombs, the monsters attacked recklessly. Dark Pit flew in front of the Goddess of Light, grabbing the blades in his hands and clasping them together into a metallic bow in one snap. Purple light glowed from inbetween the handles stuck together as Pittoo fired a shower of arrows, raining down on the Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature.

After Dark Pit and Palutena landed on a rather large cloud, the goddess turned towards the black-winged doppelganger and said, "Okay, Pittoo. All we do is lead the armies of monsters out of here and have Viridi seal them out of Skyworld forever with the All-Powerful Sky Barrier."

"But isn't that dangerous as well as crazy?" Dark Pit objected.

"Like I said, it's something no one on the Skyworld throne has even attempted to do," Palutena sighed. "It's very risky in a scenario where we might not even come back, but it's for the best. We have been defending the heavens for long enough. It's now our chance to give those in the land of Arcadia to fight back too."

After Palutena finished, both she and Dark Pit heard the rumbling of the black-red cloud hovering above them. It then started raining Shadow Bugs from on high, and thus the Subspace Army has joined in the fight as mentioned before.

"Just when we thought this situation couldn't get any worse," Pittoo moaned.

Teamed up, the three forces rushed against the two divine beings and, despite having a huge number, were defeated easily. Palutena swung her staff around, firing projectiles of light from the tip, and Dark Pit used Pandora's powers to lift himself up into the air, grabbing his Hydroshock Arm and electrocuting those who even dare cross his way. Pittoo then took his bow and split it in half back to its two-bladed form, jabbing at the Primids that slowly walked towards them like zombies.

After the intense fight, the mere fraction of the Subspace Army was defeated, and the Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature retreated into the outer borders.

"Nice job, Dark Pit," Palutena panted. "You know, you just might serve as another bodyguard after all."

"All in a day's work," Pittoo sighed.

"It looks like you're sounding just like Pit," Palutena giggled.

"Wha- no, I'm not!" Dark Pit objected.

"Come on," Palutena replied. "More of the three armies are closing in on us, and we have to lead them out." As the large swarm of the three allied armies flew at a fast pace and the black-red cloud blotched the sun, the green-haired goddess and her black-winged doppelganger took a jump onto one of the lower clouds.

They suddenly saw someone feet away from them. The body structure seemed to resemble that of a grown woman, tall, slick, and beautiful. Silence lingered in the air for a while before the stranger said in a saucy British accent, "Hold it right there, fair maiden. And is that an angel I see?"

When the stranger turned around, she was revealed to have short, raven black hair, her black glasses were resting on her beautiful face with a small mole on her side, and her clothing was flowing with black and topaz blue, almost the same texture as her hair, laid with white, long gloves, slick high heels, and gold jewelry clipped onto the locks stuck on her arms. She was sucking on a small, sugar-coated lollipop, and the pairs of sapphire guns she was wielding were held by both her hands and attached to the sides of her feet, all of them with handwriting engraved, "Love is Blue", and her shadow resembled that of a woman with butterfly wings.

"Well, well, well," the woman said. "Didn't think I would bump into you two out here."

"Bump into us?" Palutena asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh," the stranger then lamented. "Where are my manners? My name is Cereza, but you may call me Bayonetta. Don't the markings in my clothing look… familiar to you, Goddess of Light? I studied about you and your doings, so I think you might look just like people pictured you in the temple walls."

Bayonetta took one of the garments hanging loosely from her clothing, and the end displayed a moon with a small circle behind where the pointed ends meet, and there were markings on the side. Dark Pit held it in his hands while Palutena was hovering over his shoulder, observing it.

"That symbol," Palutena muttered. "I've been reading the history of humans and learned about their deepest secrets. You must be one of the last Umbra Witches left in your universe, right?"

"Umbra Witches!?" Dark Pit exclaimed. "I remember you warned me about these women, that they hunt down angels without second thoughts! We can't seriously be talking to a killer!"

"How precise you are, little raven," the Umbra Witch replied. "Ever since I woke up with no memories of my past, I still had the urges to hunt down any supernatural being with wings. Now that I made it up all the way to Skyworld, the place where no ordinary human being can get to, it'll be my greatest pleasure to exterminate you little pests." Cereza pulled the lollipop she was sucking out of her mouth, threw it onto the ground, and smashed it with her heel before grabbing the guns resting by her waist.

"I don't know what this feeling is," Bayonetta objected, "but when I come across angels that look dangerous, I have no choice but to kill."

Dark Pit grabbed his metallic bow, starring at the blue guns Cereza was flipping around with, licking her lips.

"Stay calm, Pittoo," Palutena whimpered. "After all, it's way better than having an overpowered 'Sayinian' kid (whatever you call him), or a certain fat, green ogre who by many resembles love and life… I think…"

"Thanks…" Pittoo moaned in disgust. "Now I can't get those sick, twisted images out of my head…"

"My miserable pleasure, Dark Pit," the green-haired goddess giggled. As the Subspace Army, the Underworld Army, and the Forces of Nature were closing in on them while the black-red cloud was covering more of Skyworld, Viridi shouted out from the temple, "What's taking you guys so long!? Send the signal to activate the barrier already!" The Umbra Witch saw the large swarm passing overhead, and her glasses started to glare from what remained of the sunlight at the heavens.

"Enough fun and games," Bayonetta replied. "Let's dance, boys."

As the three armies started shrieking in unholy screams, they started diving down behind the Goddess of Light and the black-winged doppelganger. Bayonetta jumped above Palutena and Dark Pit, her guns giving off radiant sheens as she pulled the triggers on both her hands and feet and started dancing in midair.

Moving gracefully like a swan, the Umbra Witch was dancing madly as the tiny bullets fired from her weapons pierced straight through the monsters. Few members of the Subspace Army, Underworld Army, and the Forces of Nature felt the magical energy melt through their skin and destroy their internal organs completely as they dropped from the sky like flies just infected with pesticide.

When Bayonetta turned around, she saw that Dark Pit and Palutena were cornered by Skuttlers and Armights.

"Dark Pit, LOOK OUT!" Palutena cried when she was that a Skuttler Mage was about to knock Pittoo unconscious, and he didn't have enough time to counteract. However, before he was hit, he felt the wind gushing upward in his face as he quickly shut his eyes and heard the monsters fleeing in terror. When Dark Pit and Palutena looked up, they saw a giant fist colored a pale purple, decorated with butterfly jewelry and covered in a thin, black lace. The fist was emerging out from a portal on the cloud, surrounded by whips of thick, black hair. When it slipped back, the two divine beings saw Bayonetta, fully naked as the hair which summoned the fist wrapped around her breasts and hips.

Once the hair transformed back into her clothes, Bayonetta giggled, "I guess I changed my mind. I don't want to hurt you two anymore."

Dark Pit felt the blood rush up to his head when he just saw what Bayonetta looked like when she summoned the fist. Any moment, he felt like he was going to pass out, but Palutena kept him up straight. "W-w-what was that?" the black angel stammered.

"Umbra Witches such as Bayonetta can summon the limbs of Infernal Demons," Palutena answered.

"Infernal Demons?" Dark Pit asked.

"Yes," the green-haired goddess replied. "When chosen, they are bound to their masters for life, becoming their shadows and aiding their help. The Umbra Witches use their hair as clothes, and it is also used to open the portal from the Land of Inferno, bringing in their Infernal Demons to aid in their fight."

"I guess that makes sense…" Pittoo muttered.

"There are several types of Infernal Demons, angel," Bayonetta said. "My main one's Madama Butterfly. But enough about that. Right now, we gotta get you two out of here and keep those monsters out of your world. The history lesson will have to continue another day."

Bumpety Bombs traveled in swarms as they rushed towards the three fighters, beeping and ready to blow up. Once they all created a massive explosion that dissolved the cloud, Bayonetta, Palutena, and Dark Pit jumped off, they were diving towards the earth face-first, looks of no fear through their expressions. Dark Pit used Pandora's powers to steady his glide, Palutena used her godlike powers to slow down her fall, and Bayonetta used the emblem hanging around her neck to transform into her Crow Within. As the three fighters were falling, Skuttler Cannoneers were firing grenades, lasers, and heat-tracking missiles, and Primids were riding on the backs of Feyeshes and Monoeyes, throwing whatever weapon they had at them.

Bayonetta in her Crow Within form dashed into the enemies' faces, clawing their multiple eyes out and blinding them that they fell to their deaths. Palutena reflected the energy projectiles blasting out, and Dark Pit went in close melee counterattacks as he stabbed the monsters repeatedly. Once the three fighters were clear, Palutena sent a powerful blue laser blasting sky-high as the signal to tell Viridi to use the All-Powerful Sky Barrier.

"Do it, Viridi!" Palutena yelled as the three allied armies flew right towards them the more they were closing in on the ground.

Once every single monster was out of Skyworld, Viridi used all the powers from her staff to bring out the barrier – a large, blue, spherical force field – surrounding the heavens. Some of the monsters tried their best to break it, but to no avail. Once the three fighters were about to prepare a rough landing in a thick forest with a now-combined army of monsters after them, Dark Pit slowed down his gliding, Palutena used her powers to parachute onto the soft, mossy ground, and Bayonetta transformed back to normal as she struck the landing.

Because the branches were thick with leaves, the monsters couldn't find the trio in the forest and gave up the search. Brushing the dust out of her hair, Palutena panted, "Nice job getting us out of here, Cereza."

"Yeah," Bayonetta replied, "if it wasn't for the fact that you're stuck with me in Arcadia forever."

As the Umbra Witch was walking off, Palutena used her staff to freeze Bayonetta in her tracks. "Not so fast," the Goddess of Light objected. "When my father Zeus was on his deathbed, I promised to look after his most-trusted creation – Pit – and I'm not going anywhere until I reunite with him. Now, we're going to look for him, and you're coming with us because you know how much we don't trust angel killers…"

Bayonetta was struggling with her feet stuck to the ground by a bluish-green light, and Dark Pit walked up to her.

"Our worlds are in a crisis, and we somehow ended up here," Pittoo then said. "If you help us look for Pit and his friends, maybe we can learn a bit more about our main enemy…"

Bayonetta took a long look at Palutena and Dark Pit, and after a brief moment of silence passed, the Umbra Witch sighed. "Okay," Cereza said. "But that doesn't mean I'm your prisoner."

With a wave of her staff, Palutena freed Bayonetta, and they were just about ready to walk off. After the Umbra Witch rubbed her now-released legs, she flipped her short hair and asked, "Okay. Which direction do we go?"

"Well," Palutena answered, "since we gods and angels can detect where a major enemy source is coming from, I'm guessing… east… I think…"

"You're not good with navigation, are you?" Pittoo moaned.

"Doesn't matter where we end up," Bayonetta replied, "as long as we follow those monsters." Pointing above the bushes, the three fighters saw the monsters that were searching for them were flying off east, the direction Palutena predicted.

"Well, what are we waiting for?" Dark Pit cried. "Let's go!" And so, the three fighters followed the swarm of retreating monsters through the thick forest as the black-red cloud passed overhead.

Chapter 5: The Tiny Boxer of Legends

Summary:

As Lucas and Charizard are in captivity, they can only rely on an Assist Trophy to break them out.

Chapter Text

The black-red cloud of the Subspace Army now covered the entire sky, turning the land of Arcadia into a realm of monsters. The metal dragons flew around, their fiery blasts spreading across mountains. The Winged Firestorm Pro was gliding its way back to the Ruins of the Ancients.

Deep in its thick steel skin, the Primids were helping the Mii Fighters bring in the items they stole from the Midair Stadium. They brought the items stuffed in a bag into the room where they kept Lucas and Charizard captive, who were both chained to a pole. Lucas had his hands cuffed in front of him, while Charizard was muzzled and restrained through iron clips.

As the items were spilling out the bag onto the floor, the Brawler Ultimate walked up to the prisoners and guards, saying, "Excellent work, Primids. We conquered the entire land of Arcadia and we now have the Smashers on the run." He pointed at the prisoners, Lucas with fear in his eyes.

"Don't worry," the Brawler Ultimate lamented. "We have plans for you. The days in which you have spent with your friends will be nothing more than a dream... Now then, we need an item count, see if everything is in order... We need them to create new Subspace Bombs and Dark Cannons by which we can power…"

One of the Primids passed the list to a Mii Gunner, which she passed to the Brawler Ultimate. Lucas was weeping silently, afraid of being kept as a hostage. "It's no use, Charizard," Lucas quietly wept. "We'll never see our friends again and they'll be in big trouble too…" The Pokémon growled, tears in his eyes as well.

"Let's see…" the Brawler Ultimate was surfing through the list when he noticed something off. Even if you couldn't make out his face, there was a sign that he was ticked off about something. "Where are they…?" he whispered. He turned straight at Lucas and Charizard and stormed right up to them.

"Where do you have them?" the Brawler Ultimate asked.

"Have what?" Lucas muttered.

"You clearly know what," the Brawler Ultimate responded in anger. "I'm talking about the ultimate power. The most powerful weapons in the multiverse, that which unlock who you truly are meant to be inside. Jewels so pure some believe they were formed out of the cores of stars, the only batteries for our bombs and cannons. The Smash Balls, where are they!?"

"I don't even know what's a Smash Ball!" Lucas cried.

"You will soon enough," The Brawler Ultimate said as he stormed out of the room. "I have no idea how, but we will drag them out..."

Just then, a Primid dropped a strange, rainbow-glowing capsule with a black figure inside, which rolled towards the Mii Fighter chieftain. When the Brawler Ultimate felt the tip of the capsule touch his leg, he jerked out of the way immediately.

An Assist Trophy, of course! Lucas thought. Charizard and I can use this advantage out of here!

The Primid who dropped the Assist Trophy was about to grab it, but the Brawler Ultimate said, "Be careful when you pick it up. An Assist Trophy is only activated when a fighter touches its base. Since the rules have been altered, who knows what could happen if you attempt on doing so… that thing might even destroy our ship if you're not careful."

Afterwards, the Brawler Ultimate walked out of the room. Because the Shadow Bugs were never fighters to begin with, they touched the base of the Assist Trophy and it had no effect. Even if some of the universe's logic has changed, few of the rules seem to be unaffected.

Driven by curiosity of who was trapped in there, two of the classic Primids asked the Mii Fighters through gurgling alien sounds if they would like to give it a try. However, the Mii Fighters looked puzzled and turned the Primids' offers down. Eventually, the Primids turned towards Lucas and Charizard and growled signs of pleasing.

"Sure, I guess…" Lucas spoke. "We are fighters, after all. I suppose I'll satisfy your curiousity... if you are willing to unchain us, of course."

The Primids then grabbed the keys hanging on the wall and unchained Lucas and Charizard. After Lucas was massaging his partially swollen hands and Charizard was shaking his wings, the Primids growled again in plea and pushed the Assist Trophy into Lucas's chest.

"Alrighy, since you want it so much…" Lucas spoke, grabbing the Assist Trophy and holding it high with his hand below its base. The Primids and the Mii Fighters stared in shock as particles swarmed around the base and the figure inside took shape, growing larger and adding more color through each passing second.

The figure was fully formed, in the appearance of a boxer with tanned skin, black hair, blue-green eyes, and wearing a black tank-top with green shorts, black sneakers, and light-green boxing gloves. He was only taller than Lucas by a few inches. The Mii Fighters were reaching their weapons, and the Primids stood in confusion as to what they asked for. Because Assist Trophies were only made to serve their summoners, the boxer suddenly lunged himself towards two of the Primids, knocking them out through one deadly blow.

The Mii Fighters charged towards the boxer, and the Assist Trophy charged up his punch and knocked out most of them. Those that survived the hit ran out of the room, scared of the boxer.

"Uh… Thanks, I guess," Lucas said.

"No problem," the boxer replied. "By the way, where am I?"

"High up in the air, in the Winged Firestorm Pro," Lucas answered. "You sure picked a bad time to come out and fight."

Attention, all unites, the Swordfighter Ultimate called on the ship's broadcast radio. Two of our prisoners have escaped thanks to a couple dumbass Primids, and they're accompanied by an Assist Trophy. Please approach with extreme caution and kill on sight. We have contacted more Winged Firestorms to come in and exterminate the targets should they escape, so hold them back as best as you can.

"By the way," the boxer responded, "I'm Little Mac. And you must be…?"

"Lucas," the blond PSI boy replied while Charizard growled in excitement. "Next to me is Charizard."

"Well, looks like we're going to have to get you out of here," Little Mac said. "I don't know what's going on, but this place looks dangerous. Come on."

"No," Lucas said when he used his psychic powers to drag Little Mac to him and Charizard. "The Ultimates are going to call more Winged Firestorms if we don't destroy it first."

Lucas let Little Mac go, and Charizard growled at the boxer with determination. The three fighters ran off to the doorway to the control room, but they were stopped by Primids - both classical and newly designed - and Mii Fighters. Roturrets were firing at the door frames, but Little Mac was a very fast target hard to hit as he was tiny enough to slip through the bullets and punch underneath one of the rotating turrets. The cannonball effect created from the uppercut blow caused the Roturret to bounce all over the place, hitting enemies to and fro.

Lucas used his PK Fire once again to trap some of the Mii Fighters in pillars of flame, and Charizard flew towards the Buckots, his wings sharply cutting through their bodies. Once the three fighters got on their feet again, more Mii Fighters and Subspace troops dashed toward them.

However, Little Mac, Lucas, and Charizard wouldn't even bother looking back as they stormed up all the way through the Winged Firestorm Pro's neck, knocking out enemies with their gifted abilities. Once the three fighters got up to the control room, the Ultimates were already there, their choices of weapons ready to attack.

"There's nothing you can do now," the Gunner Ultimate said. "We'll kill you all, take the Smash Balls out of wherever you're hiding them, and Tabuu will reign supreme once again."

"I thought trophies can't die," Lucas objected. "Why are you doing this? What's going on?"

A moment of silence passed, and the Brawler Ultimate answered, "Oh, kid. There's so much more you don't know about the outside world." Suddenly, a Scope Primid shuffled in, weak after the hits it received from Little Mac, Lucas, and Charizard.

"NO! DON'T YOU DARE FIRE THAT GUN, YOU IDIOT!" the Swordfighter Ultimate exclaimed as the Scope Primid was ready to fire. Both the fighters and the Ultimates ducked out of the way when the Primid with its dying breath missed and fired at the control panel, creating a massive explosion that majorly damaged the wires. The Winged Firestorm Pro cried weakly as its metallic body was burning up in the atmosphere.

Lucas, Charizard, and Little Mac groaned when they got up, and they saw the Ultimates were already running to several escape pods. The strong wind was gushing through the cracked windows as the Gunner Ultimate yelled to the fighters, "You may have destroyed our ship, but this is only the beginning! We've got big plans coming and we don't need you getting in our way!" Just like that, the Ultimates each took their escape pods with the Mii Fighters, all blasting out to the other Winged Firestorms. Explosions were bursting around as the spare emergency pods were destroyed, trapping the fighters inside.

The metal ceiling was about to cave in on Little Mac and Lucas, but Charizard flew in, lifting it up with all its strength.

"We gotta get out of here!" Lucas cried. "There's no way out and we're trapped!"

"You know I'm not much of an air fighter, right?" Little Mac responded. "If any of those little rascals of this... 'Subspace Army' come rushing towards us while we're hundreds of feet in the air, I'll eventually become helpless."

"Don't worry," Lucas replied. "Charizard and I will help you, right?"

Charizard growled in pain as the weight was crushing his strong wings, the leaking Shadow Bugs creeping in closer, and the Winged Firestorm Pro collapsing in the air. The three fighters were now helpless, falling onto the hard ground in the mountains while Primids were falling from the sky, disintegrating into Shadow Bugs just as soon they landed on the falling rubble. Charizard swooped in, with Lucas and Little Mac landing on his back. Once the three fighters got onto ground safely, they saw the other Winged Firestorms flying off, their dragon-like bodies cruising in the black-red cloud.

"Told you I don't do so well in the air," Little Mac panted.

"Which reminds me," Lucas said. "Why don't you disappear?"

"Come again?" Little Mac asked.

"I thought Assist Trophies were supposed to disappear after they were summoned to complete their task," Lucas answered. "Unless… it must be the alternated rules of this world."

"Who knows?" Little Mac replied. "Looks like I'm stuck with you until the end of time."

"But what did the Brawler Ultimate mean when he talked about the 'Smash Balls' and their ultimate power?" Lucas questioned.

"That I don't know," Little Mac lamented. "I was put in that capsule at the beginning of this world, long forgotten until now. How am I supposed to know what a Smash Ball is?"

Lucas and Charizard looked at the strange world set before them, watching as the metallic dragons soared away to cause more havoc on the world.

"We can worry about those Smash Balls later," Lucas spoke. "Right now, we need to find out where all those Shadow Bugs came from, and who's creating them. Mr. Game & Watch was freed from Tabuu's control, so there must be some bigger force playing at hand. I guess with your strength, we can make it through this."

And so, Lucas, Charizard, and their new companion Little Mac ran off, following the Winged Firestorms off to their new location, deep in the eternal black-red darkness.

Chapter 6: A Soldier From A Distant Planet

Summary:

Split up into three groups, the fighters from the Midair Stadium must do what they can to fight back to each other, meeting new faces along the way.

Chapter Text

The Falcon Flyer was soaring through the sky, burning as bright as a comet. The ship crash-landed in the plains, a deep crater where there was once soft ground now filled with uprooted flowers and sprouting trees. Peach, Bowser, Wario, Donkey Kong, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Marth, Ike, Meta Knight, Lucario, Jigglypuff, R.O.B., Captain Falcon, and Olimar climbed out of the rubble caused by the demolishment, shaking off whatever dirt they had on them.

"Phew," Captain Falcon said. "That was a close one. Good thing we all survived the crash, right?"

"Sure," Peach replied. "I'm just worried about everyone else, especially Mario and Luigi… where are they?"

"The only thing I'm curious about is where we are," Pit objected. "We're on the run from the Subspace Army and… they've taken over most of the land."

"Pit's right," Ike said. "We're running like cowards when we should be fighting back against what they have in store."

"But where do we go from here?" Lucario asked.

"We came in from that direction, right?" Pit answered, pointing northwest. "The rest of the group in the Wolfen Assault probably landed there, and we're bound to meet up with them if we hurry."

"What about Mario and HIS group?" Peach objected.

"That I don't know," Pit replied. "The blast scrambled up my circuits that I can't figure out where they landed."

"Pit," Meta Knight said. "You don't have circuits. R.O.B. does."

"Oh, right," Pit giggled in dumbfoundedness. "I kinda forgot. Heh-heh…"

"So," Captain Falcon spoke, "you're trying to tell us that we should head northwest like Pit said to meet up with those at the Wolfen Assault, all while looking for a thought translator to see where our friends at the Prime Ship are?"

"I guess…" Marth answered.

"Well, let's do it!" Captain Falcon exclaimed. "We're gonna go there, beat up a buncha enemies and rescue Samus!"

"You do realize Samus is strong enough to defend herself, and haven't you stopped flirting with her already?" Pit asked.

"Of course I know she's too shy to admit she has feelings for me!" Captain Falcon spoke in a boastful tone. "Now come on! Let's get going already!"

"Hold on just a minute!" Meta Knight cried out.

"What is it?" Pit asked.

"We are in very dangerous territory, and the Shadow Bugs might capture us for answers," Meta Knight replied. "It would be best if I go alone and lead them away, lest risk the lives of all of you. I'll be heading to where the large Wolfen Assault landed; the rest of you go your separate ways."

"Good luck, Meta Knight," Marth replied.

Meta Knight unfurled his cape into a pair of bat-like wings, unsheathing his Galaxia Sword and flying off into the distance. After hoping for the best from Meta Knight, the rest of the Falcon Flyer Group saw Shadow Bugs raining on the desolated plains, not forming but more of just fading the moment they touched the ground, and the fighters felt nervous being alone after ten years of peace. Little did they know in the distance, a figure that resembled some sort of peculiar ghost was watching them from a cliff, hidden by the naked eye.

So the day of reckoning is upon them, the figure spoke in a heavenly voice. Perfect...


Far northwest, on the only plateau in the land, the Wolfen Assault had been in a state of demolishment for quite some time. From the wreckage climbed out Luigi, Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Ganondorf, Kirby, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Pikachu, Ness, and Sonic, brushing the dust off their wounded bodies.

"Is everyone-a okay?" Luigi cried.

"Seems like everyone's doin' fine," King Dedede answered in a stereotypical Southern accent. "Goshdang, my head..."

"Wonder where we landed," Falco spoke, looking at the strange terrain. Fox pulled out a GPS from his side pockets, the static ringing out through the small speakers.

"I can't get a good location as to where we are in Arcadia," Fox answered. "However, it looks we're stranded somewhere in the southeast. We can meet up with the rest of our pals in the meantime."


Sonic had a look of determination as he walked up to a nearby rock and rested his feet, one leg in front of the other. The blue hedgehog looked out into the black-red darkness, watching the Winged Firestorms and Shadow Bugs soar through the sky.

We have to end this, Sonic thought, hearing the commotion from the rest of the Wolfen Assault Group as they were asking who else is okay. All I want to do is see Mario again. I really care about his safety… the safety of all of us. It looks like I'm the only one who hasn't been turned into a trophy, but it looks like my memories of my homeworld will disappear from this world soon. I've got to do something to reunite with everyone else, but… where are those in Samus's Ship?

"And what were you talking about when we confronted the Ultimates?" Fox asked the blue hedgehog. The Star Fox mercenary knew this was a question that had bugged him back when the Miis attacked the Midair Stadium. "You said they don't remember you anymore. Care to explain what happened?" Sonic got up from his place and turned towards Fox, looking at him straight with emerald-green eyes. Out of all the fighters, Fox seemed to be the most caring. To Sonic, Fox acted more like his best friend Tails if he was a father figure rather than a sidekick.

"I've been explaining secrets to what you know and could not know, and out of all the friends I spilled gossip to you are pretty much my favorite," Sonic answered. "However, even I have secrets I don't want to bring up. Let's just say that... the Mii Fighters and I... had kinda been in a relationship. Somehow, they forgot about what I did to save their clan, and I didn't want to let them fall into despair after... what happened back at my homeworld..."

Fox held Sonic's cheek, aware of what the blue hedgehog was talking about. Even when Sonic didn't want to tell in front of the other fighters, Fox knew of the hardships he went through.

"People grow out of their guilt eventually," Fox spoke. "I think it would be better if I didn't know about what happened to your planet, or what you did on other worlds to obtain such knowledge." Sonic pulled away, his blue quills swaying behind him as he stretched in place.

"I'll be going off to find Mario and the others," Sonic told the group. "The rest of you go do your thing and try to take down the Subspace Army."

"Stay strong, rodent," Ganondorf responded. In the blink of an eye, Sonic dashed down the plateau into the woods. Fox McCloud looked back at the other fighters before he climbed his way down, already knowing a planned course.

Once the fighters all got down to the bottom of the plateau, they didn't notice another strange figure watching over them unseen. All that was revealed about this figure were two claws clinging over the edge.

"Little do they know they'll all be attacked by the serpent's fangs," the figure chuckled. "This is going to be so much fun…"


Mario slowly opened his eyes. He saw three figures he couldn't make out all because of his blurred vision. The audio coming from their speeches was almost muted, just voices he could barely hear. When he opened his eyes again, his pupils adjusted their size, and the imagery became sharper. He could at least make out the colors, mainly green, white-and-brown, and neon blue.

"…Mario?" the voice coming from the green figure called out, barely audible and fuzzy. Mario opened his eyes, this time wide open, and he regained full conscious. He saw Link, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus above his body.

"Mario, are you okay?" Link asked.

When Mario groaned as he got up, he looked around: the black-red sky drenched in eternal twilight, the wreckage of the crash-landed ship in a now-destroyed flower bed, and the replicates from the Dark Cannon still unconscious.

"What happened-a?" Mario asked.

"We're stranded far away from our friends," Zero Suit Samus answered, "no thanks to you, fatty."

"Samus!" Zelda snapped.

"It's Zero Suit Samus now, and you know it. The one inside my Power Suit has forever taken that name from me," the bounty hunter replied.

"But you shouldn't put all the blame on Mario," Zelda objected. "After all, it isn't his fault we were stranded far away from our friends!"

"But he was clearly the culprit behind keeping the secret of our friends disappearing!" Zero Suit Samus lamented.

"Just because he got involved doesn't mean it's all his doing!" Zelda objected.

The two girls started quarreling and bickering among each other over who is to blame behind all this. Link tried to break up the fight, attempting to speak up.

"YOU TWO! SHUT IT!" Link yelled, pushing the princess and the bounty hunter away. "Our replicates are waking up!"

Mario, Zelda, Link, and Zero Suit Samus were watching as Dr. Mario, Sheik, Toon Link, and Samus stirred up from their knockouts, rubbing their heads from the big impact. Once the clones stood upright, the original fighters saw that what the Ultimates said was right: they were made to kill their copies and take their places as the true originals. Toon Link started yelling and flailing his small sword around, rushing quickly towards Link.

"Lemme at him! Lemme at him!" the kid swordfighter cried, Link holding him up and away from his face. Sheik grabbed her daggers and started flailing madly like a ninja, but Zelda was using her magic to protect herself. Samus was charging up fireballs and missiles, but her attacks were all rather slow as Zero Suit Samus used her Plasma Gun and Jet Boots as she kicked the Power Suit to the ground. Mario was clasping Dr. Mario's lab coat, all while avoiding the doctor's shocking punches.

"Everyone, stop-a!" Mario yelled. Both the original fighters and their replicates calmed down with their battles. Despite being clones made from the last Dark Cannon, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Samus, and Toon Link all obeyed when Mario said stop with the fighting.

"We're stranded in one of the many uncharted territories of Arcadia," Mario said. "All of us are going to have to work together in order to survive the incoming Subspace Army and reunite with our teammates, regardless of who's at fault here. Is that understood-a!?"

The Prime Ship Group all looked at one another, deeply lost in anxiety. None of them knew what was about to happen to them, so they decided to stick for the best. The fighters all stared at each other, nervous about the long journey ahead.

"Yes, Mario," the fighters all answered politely.

"But where do we go from here?" Sheik asked. "Your friends are probably somewhere far off, and we don't know where we are…"

"We can start by following those metal dragons," Mario responded, pointing at a small cluster of them far off in the distance, burning everything as usual. The fighters all nodded, and Mario smiled.

"Let's a-go, then," Mario said. "There's no time to waste and there'll be monsters spawning soon. It's better if we look at where we are and find where our friends landed."


The group then started walking off into the thin end of the forest, where idle monsters with Mii faces were waiting for them, such as Ancient Robots and Faceberuses. There were also some signs of Subspace Army monsters too, blending in well with the Mii-faced monsters.

"We're going to have to be very careful around here…" Mario whispered. The deeper the woods got, the thicker the atmosphere became, making a single breath heavy with every take-in. Eventually, Toon Link got sleepy by the air, tugging at Link's tunic like a little kid, yawning.

"Sweet," Toon Link muttered. He ran off, his hand slipping from Link's, running over to a rather large nest. The young Hylian eventually fell asleep on some unusually large eggs, almost the size of his body.

"Toon Link!" Zelda yelled. "Get out of here!" The other fighters looked in the direction of the large nest, seeing Toon Link resting his head as a rather large creature the size of an ostrich creeped up towards him. Filled with hatred and thinking that Toon Link might do something with the eggs, the creature lunged itself at the young Hylian but was stopped dead in its tracks. Literally, when Link got in and stabbed it in the chest with his Master Sword.

When Link grabbed Toon Link and jumped out of the nest, the young Hylian woke up to find out the rest of the Prime Ship Group was surrounded by more of the bird-like creatures, each one resembling chicken-like birds colored yellow all over.

"I think they want us to leave their territory, whatever they are…" Samus said, her Power Suit readying a missile.

"Be careful, everybody," Dr. Mario replied. "I don't think we can beat these birds alone, and speaking of alone…"

The Mii-faced monsters with the Subspace Army members walked up to the bird-like creatures, their eyes glowing red with lust as the black-red darkness thundered across the sky. The monsters then rushed towards the fighters, cawing with anger. It seemed all was lost for the fighters, but just then, they heard a voice.

"Genkai wo koeru."

With the sound of that voice, a small tornado blasted inbetween the creatures, powerful enough to send all the bird-like creatures into a forced retreat. Once all the feathers caused by the tornado slowly unobstructed the view of Mario and the gang, they saw a stranger glowing an unearthly blue, facing in their direction. Once the color from his body disappeared, the stranger was revealed to have spiky blonde hair, dark purple clothing with a shoulder guard and belt, and glowing blue eyes the same color as the tornado effect he created. The fighters all looked surprised at the stranger, Link most of all.

"Thought you needed help," the stranger replied in a smooth tone. "Thanks the gods I heard your cries of help far off from the distance."

"What cries of help?" Link asked. "We didn't give any cries of help. We were just ambushed…"

"By Chocobos?" the stranger spoke. "These kinds are more aggressive than I remember..."

"No, wait," Zelda cried. "We do need your help. Just about any we come across- Wha…?"

As the black-red cloud streaked thunder from the sky, it was raining Shadow Bugs, more of which that joined to form more of the Primids, their multiple eyes glowing a bloodshed red. The stranger pulled out his unusually large and thick sword with just one hand and started to hold the blade. The Prime Ship Group watched closely as a bar somehow above the stranger's head was filling up, and he started glowing the unearthly blue once again, with the bar disappearing.

"Let's do this, babies," the stranger muttered.

The stranger started rushing towards the Primids and Mii-faced monsters, gliding like there was no gravity below him at all. Despite carrying a huge sword, the stranger managed to do a triple front-to-backflip far behind the creatures and slashed them with a powerful beam from his blade. Mario started to generate fire from the palms of his hands, running towards the Puppits and Autolances. Dr. Mario paired up with Mario, and combined Mario's fire attacks with his electricity powers, and the two of them created a powerful blast that eliminated the enemies in their path. Zero Suit Samus got on top of Samus, the woman in the Power Suit firing missiles and bombs while the bounty hunter did backflips and used her Plasma Gun and Jet Boots to fry her enemies into barbecued obliteration. Link and Toon Link simply used their arrows, boomerangs, and bombs, slashing the enemies that were close with their Master Swords. Zelda created blasts of magic, while Sheik used her Deku Nuts to "warp" to random places and catch the monsters off-guard with her jabbing daggers. Teaming up with the stranger, the group managed to chase all the monsters in the area away, no survivors of the Subspace Army.

"Whew-a!" Mario sighed.

"Thanks, Mr. uuuhhh…" Link said.

"If you wanna know my name, it's Cloud Strife, 1st-class SOLDIER," the stranger answered. "But if you like, you can call me Cloud."

"Cloud?" Zero Suit Samus asked. "What a peculiar name from someone who just saved us."

"Yes, that's my name…" Cloud replied. "Just don't question it."

"So," Mario asked. "Where you from-a?"

Silence passed through the air, the fighters staring at Cloud. The 1st-class SOLDIER sighed, responding, "I… don't really know. I never even knew where I came from or who I really was. All I remember since I got here was my name, what I was capable of, and the enemies I came across."

"Hey, we don't blame you," Link said. "We all had that problem too when we got here. The only other person we knew who didn't lose his memories yet was Sonic the Hedgehog, and he talked on and on about his and our homelands for the past ten years, building up our memories as time went by."

"How does he do that?" Cloud questioned. "Visiting your homelands and learning about your past lives?"

"What would you expect from the world's fastest living being?" Sheik answered in the form of another question.

"Anyway," Dr. Mario said. "We're trying to navigate our way back to our friends, but we're trapped in uncharted territory. We're hoping you can help us, since we notice you were stuck here too."

"Not interested," Cloud answered.

"What?" Zelda exclaimed. "We need to get back to our friends as soon as we can! There's a new war going on in Arcadia, greater than what happened ten years ago! And all you're gonna do is reject our offer for help?"

"Fine…" Cloud answered. "I'll help you. But first, we're gonna learn a little bit of ourselves, why we were brought to this hellhole..."

Mario took the picture he stowed in his overalls pocket, glancing at it. The picture was slightly worn out from the fighting and crashlanding, the marker saying "Smash Bros. 2008" barely smeared. The round plumber in red folded the picture back into his pocket and said, "We're gonna need all the help we can get. So, from now on, you're an official member of the Super Smash Brothers Club."

"A member of a small club, called 'Super Smash Brothers'?" Cloud Strife asked, his eyes glowing blue in question. The other fighters looked as Mario, Toon Link rubbing his head in confusion.

"If you want help," Cloud answered, "you're talking to the right guy. Come on. I think I might have known where your pals were last sighted. Right next to a small village, untouched by this Subspace Army, though I doubt that black-red cloud had no effect on their nice clear skies. In the meantime, we can figure out where your little guys landed, and we can go from that point on."

"So, let's go then!" Toon Link yelled. "We don't have time to waste and we gotta get those friends of yours back soon!"

Cloud looked at Link in confusion, shaking his head. "Was he always like this, so bratty, naïve, and danger-loving?" the ex-soldier asked.

"Who knows?" Link answered. "He and the others were just born from a Dark Cannon, and I have no idea how he behaves, but it's a long story. Let's get going right away."

The group, with their new companion Cloud Strife, ran off deeper into the woods, on the lookout for any monsters in their path. Deep in the trees, hidden by the thick leaves, another strange figure was spying on them, observing them. The figure was kept within the darkness, the only lights shining were their reddened sclera and green eyes with slit pupils.

"So they think they can gather everyone up in time for the final battle?" the stranger asked themselves in a soft but cunning voice. In a crystalline hand that was the color of foggy ice, some sort of pink sludge was slithering through his fingertips as though it had a mind of its own.

"I guess I'll wait until SHE strikes..." they chuckled within the sound of silence.

Without another word, the figure warped out of the darkness, disappearing from the area and never seen again... for now.

Chapter 7: Memories of a Distant Past

Summary:

Few of the fighters that originally split up from their group have allied with each other to learn more about the secrets of their world.

Chapter Text

As the black-red cloud got darker above the woods, a light shower of Shadow Bugs started raining from above. A blue blur started speeding through the deep forest, the blur belonging to none other than Sonic the Hedgehog.

Mario, where are you? Sonic thought, the air blowing through his blue quills. I need to know about all of this. I need just a sign…

Once Sonic got the chance to stop when he saw an opening of light from within the forest, he couldn't believe his eyes. He saw half of the mountainside was demolished, making a nasty scar on the land. As the blue hedgehog zoomed downward to check it out, he noticed all the trees were black and sooty, every one of them turned upright. There was still signs of small fires and smoke, so Sonic knew the attack was just recent. As he looked out into the black-red twilight, he saw the Winged Firestorms flying off in the direction he was running towards, dropping Shadow Bugs through their latches.

As Sonic was walking through the desolation, he stopped when he noticed he almost stepped on a budding flower. The sprout was emerging out of the ashes, small and only had a couple leaves on its stem, its white flower just ready to bloom. Sonic knelt down to take a closer look, observing the small plant.

"Don't worry," Sonic told himself. "We'll make this end soon. I'm sure of it. You'll grow up to be the first and the most beautiful flower to ever survive the Subspace Apocalypse." The blue hedgehog closed his eyes, the sprout delicately held in his hands, and he shed a small tear which landed on the bud. After Sonic got up, he walked off to the southeast, with the flower just blossoming right behind him when he wasn't looking. It glowed with a faint rainbow aura, almost as if it was a sign of things to come in the near future.


As Sonic was still running through the burned forest, he saw the Shadow Bugs from earlier slowly crawling towards him. The entities clumped together, forming some sorts of monsters Sonic had never seen before. These monsters looked nothing of what he saw in his past encounters.

These kinds of monsters had long, red, tentacle-like arms with fused guns at the ends, they were supported by crimson cones with the tips inverted downward and fading into a wisp, and their faces were stretched all over their bodies, their smiles showing jagged teeth and eyes asymmetrical and uneven. Everytime they spun around, they shot deadly bullets in all directions. Eggrobos and other Badniks flew in with other Subspace Army creatures, all having one thing in common: kill Sonic.

"Let's see," Sonic muttered. "These new creatures… Howzabout I call you guys, uhhh… Triggergoplas? How you like that?" The Triggergoplas growled in giggles as they were spinning like tops for momentum, teaming up with the other creatures and robots.

Once the monsters moved in towards Sonic, the blue hedgehog zipped out of the way immediately and ended up behind them in a fraction of a second.

"Hey, fellas," Sonic said. "You're gonna have to be faster than sound to step up to my level." The monsters were caught off guard as the blue hedgehog spindashed in the form of a spiky ball, his quills so sharp they cut through the metallic skin of the Triggergoplas, leaving their peculiar bodies gushing with oil. Once Sonic got back on his feet, he was surrounded by a series of Badniks. All the blue hedgehog really did was smirk, and he picked up speed again, grabbing the robots and tossing them high into the air. Before they even started falling, Sonic jumped up and started flailing madly with his multiple punches and kicks. Once he finished beating the enemies, Sonic eventually threw both of his fists downward, creating a small explosion from the demolished bots. The minor members of the Subspace Army started running towards him but were eventually distracted by his super-fast speed and jabbing punches.

Once Sonic defeated all the robots and monsters, he wiped his forehead, panting, "That's the best you can do, huh? Pathetic." However, just when he was about to take a step faster into running southeast, he felt a shot of pain pass through his body. There was no blood on his furry skin, but Sonic was feeling the pain travel up to his head, giving him a nasty ache.

"W-what… is t-this- IT HURTS!" Sonic groaned, the pain in his head worsening. His emerald eyes started to show a gleam, flashing around in a full circle before splitting and forming into a cross off-center. Once the glare was finished, Sonic's eyes started generating a series of sparks, every one of them spreading around and causing them to give off a powerful glow. The pain overwhelmed him, and Sonic's emerald eyes were now glowing white with the blue hedgehog slightly levitating off the ground.


When Sonic regained full conscious, the blue hedgehog saw that everything was black. As he looked around, he felt like he was in a ballet of stars – each glittering entity dancing around like they were all filled with life. Sonic's eyes were watering with mixed emotions as galaxies and nebulae moved around gracefully. The blue hedgehog eventually came across a star half the size of his body. It was bright, but it was reflective enough to help him see himself with a new look, probably made from the headache. As Sonic observed his new form, he noticed he had golden irises and was giving off a rainbow hue, flowing like fire.

What is this place…? Sonic thought, his bright golden eyes filled with wonder. What is this form I'm in? The fire doesn't seem to hurt me… Am I transported somewhere different…?

As Sonic was looking at his new body, he felt something on his chest. There, he saw a strange gemstone shaped like a circle stuck to him, different multi-colored lights flashing around like water, and there was a black cross off-center.

Wow! What is that stone? Sonic thought again, observing how he was speaking without his lips moving. Strange how I can talk, and my mouth doesn't open once. Oh, well. I guess I should ask someone where I am…

As Sonic in his new form was walking around this new universe, he suddenly saw someone lying down on the unnatural ground. Filled with curiosity, the blue hedgehog walked towards the person, trying to make out the form. As he got closer, he saw the person was a girl, probably an adolescent at best. The girl looked like she was wearing a uniform, tainted and dirty with aged blood stains, some crumbling off. The uniform was all in many different shades of black, the fabric of her legs flowing twice the length of her body and thick boots right at the bottom. The uniform also wrapped around her chest, leaving her bare arms exposed and forming a big hood at the back of her neck. Her bare arms were protected by two spiny guards, each one on her naked shoulders, and her gloves infused with brass knuckles went up to her elbows. From what Sonic could figure out from her was she was a multitasker, for as he looked at the weapon laying next to her, he noticed it was a huge sword almost as long as the fabric trailing behind her legs, and it was covered with a series of guns each filled with different types of ammunition. The girl's hair was dark gray mixed fading to a rainbow again at the ends. Her face was covered with scars, she sported faint, dark circles under her eyes, and her lips were small and thin.

Excuse me, miss? Sonic tried to ask her. Are you okay? However, just when Sonic tried touching her to wake her up, he felt himself clip right through her like a ghost. Sonic looked a little worried about what's happening, but he suddenly freaked out and ran a safe distance with a scared scream when he saw the tattoo on her left upper arm. It was the symbol just like of the Subspace Army – a hollow circle with a line at the middle slashing horizontally and stopping halfway.

Is she a member of the Subspace Army? Sonic asked himself. I have to know about this…

Just then, the girl slowly sat up, her golden eyes gently opening. She couldn't either see or hear Sonic as she got up and started looking around.

"Hello?" the girl asked, her sweet voice echoing throughout the vast area. Sonic tried answering, but to no avail.

I wonder what's she's doing here… Sonic thought. I guess I should follow her and see where she ends up at…

Just then, thoughts started ringing out in Sonic's head, almost as if he's actually hearing the girl talk about her life story.

Darkness, the girl began, her thoughts flowing through the blue hedgehog. I woke up in the darkness, no memory of who I was. Ever. All I knew was that I was all alone…

Am I hearing this like it's from… a memory? Sonic wondered. What is going on here? I have to know. Somehow, this probably can connect to my answers…

As Sonic followed the girl, he noticed it was like she was playing through a story. The girl was walking around, unfamiliar with her environment, admiring the dancing cosmos.

I was looking around, filled with joy and sadness at the same time, the girl's voice rang out in Sonic's head again. It felt like I can just make a new world and start from there.

Suddenly, I heard a strange voice. The girl turned around in shock when she saw something Sonic had never seen before. The strange thing looked like a new form of entity flying around, but was completely different from the Shadow Bugs, each particle in a smaller shape and black all over. The clustered swarm of particles were surrounding a strange, glowing object obstructed from everyone's view, and it was just floating like a cloud.

"Hella…" the cloud spoke, its manly voice booming out so loud it gave the dancing stars a little scare as they jerked away slightly.

That was the name HE gave me, the girl's voice rang again. Hella…

Hella, huh? Sonic thought. I want to know more about this girl. Maybe she has something in common with the Subspace Army…

"Greetings, Hella…" the cloud spoke to the girl. "Do not be afraid. You are now in the depths of my domain from now on."

"Who… who are you?" Hella asked, her voice throbbing.

"I am… the Master Core…" the cloud answered.

Master Core? Sonic asked himself. It sounds awfully similar to Master Hand, but what do I know? It's just a memory… that I'm somehow participating in…

"Master… Core?" Hella asked again.

"Yes," the Master Core answered. "And you have just become one of my many servants… in the land of Arcadia."

"Ar… cadia?" Hella asked again.

"It is otherwise known in the common tongue as the Land of Imagination," the Master Core answered. "A land with neverending possibilities, no limitations, and a world where the greatest of your dreams come true…"

I was easily tempted by the Master Core's offer, Hella's voice spoke again, with Sonic hearing every word. Little did I know that by entering in his land I learned a little about a life-changing experience…

Sonic's eyes started glowing white again, and the blue hedgehog felt himself being carried into the air.

Nononononono, WAIT! Sonic cried. I need to know more about this! WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!?


The moment Sonic opened his eyes again, he sat up in shock. His heart was quivering fast, and he was panting hard. As Sonic looked around, he noticed he was in a new area of the large forest, confused in which direction he was in. The blue hedgehog then noticed his eyes were back to their normal emerald color, his body lost the glowing rainbow fire effect, and the strange gem fused to his chest disappeared.

"Was it all a dream…?" Sonic asked. "No… no, it can't be… Hella… Master Core… what is it that ties them together… I have to find out who this Hella person is… She's the only clue I have so far…"

When Sonic the Hedgehog got up again, he didn't know which direction was southeast, so he started running around, lost in the deep woods. Every second, he ran meters of where he last ended up, and he had no idea which way was out. When Sonic got up to the top of the trees, he saw he was so far off he couldn't even find the burnt area of the forest, only the Winged Firestorms still in the direction he was going.

"I guess that's my only way of heading southeast," Sonic said to himself before jumping onto the ground. Just then, he heard the rustling of the branches and the birds flying off. When Sonic heard the noises, he felt eager and prepared for who he was about to witness. Once the blue hedgehog heard another branch snap, he dashed towards that direction, only to come to an opening and clash into a familiar face.

"HEY! Watch where you're going!" Meta Knight cried. "…Sonic? Is it… you?"

"Yeah, of course it's me," Sonic answered. "What are you doing here?"

"I predicted that the monsters will come and capture my friends, so my plan was to distract the troops and let my companions finish the mission," Meta Knight answered. "How did you get over here?"

"Well, it's a long story," Sonic lamented. "Basically, my eyes started giving off a strange glare when I was down in the burned area of the forest, they started glowing white, and I think I was having some sort of… vision… before ending up here? Could it probably be because I'm the only one unaffected by the trophy transformation after years of visiting each and every land I know?"

"Wait, wait, wait," Meta Knight objected. "What did that glare, by chance, look like?"

Sonic looked around, grabbing a small, dry twig lying on the ground. The blue hedgehog tried to remember the feeling of the glare in his eyes from before, but it was practically hard for him. Instead, he tried to remember the emblem shown on the strange gem. So, he drew a small circle, making a cross with its center to its lower right.

"Is that what the symbol looked like?" Sonic asked again. Meta Knight closely observed it, taking a long look at what Sonic drew in the ground.

"Of course…" Meta Knight mumbled. "I never thought this day would come…"

"What?" Sonic asked. "What is it? What are you talking about?"

"When you were having that vision," Meta Knight asked, "there was a high possibility there was a strange gem fused to your chest, and it looked precisely like that symbol you drew. Am I correct?"

"Yeah," Sonic answered. "It looked exactly like that. Why?"

"My spiny friend," Meta Knight spoke. "you have just been affected by a Smash Ball."

"Smash Ball!?" Sonic exclaimed. "But I thought those were an urban legend! Could... this be some effect given to me all because I'm not a trophy?"

"Seems to me that way," Meta Knight replied. "I always knew one of us will ever have the chance to get a vision, explaining how it all began, the war between light and darkness, order and chaos, peace and freedom."

"What you're trying to say is… after we get out of here, we'll find out about what I experienced in that vision?"

"Definitely," Meta Knight answered. "Now, come on. These woods are full of Tabuu's spies, and we need to get out of here before- What the-!?"

Before the two fighters could even walk out of the area, a wild Clubberskull emerged out from the bushes, growling with an ear-piercing roar.

"A Clubberskull," Meta Knight said. "It probably heard us talking about the Smash Ball and wants to kill us before we can give out any proof. Be very careful, Sonic. It's by far the most dangerous and most powerful of all the enemies in the Subspace Army and any other army it belongs to."

"Danger's my middle name, Meta," Sonic answered. "It's probably heavy, so that makes that thing rather slow to catch up. I can knock this thing out faster than you can say ''Sonic Speed!'" The blue hedgehog started spindashing, but the monster's one small eye glared with malice as it swung its huge arms faster than Sonic. As they hit the blue hedgehog like giant clubs, Sonic was rammed right into a bush with Meta Knight, the two of them climbing out and brushing off the loose twigs, leaves, and berries.

"I warned you," Meta Knight groaned. "How you feeling, buddy?"

Sonic coughed, rubbing the bruises all over his aching body, "I think I have a nasty percussion…"

As the Clubberskull crawled closer, cornering the two fighters, it was about to swing its massive arms again before it felt bullets pierce its tough flesh. The one-eyed, human heart-shaped monster looked it its left to see Bayonetta, Dark Pit, and Palutena running towards the beast.

"Finally some help came," Meta Knight said. "What took you so long?"

"We had to find our way through the dark, scary woods," Bayonetta answered. The Umbra Witch then pointed at the Clubberskull, shaking its meaty skin.

"What is that thing?" Bayonetta asked.

"A Clubberskull," Dark Pit answered.

"Yeah, basically that," Sonic too replied. "Apparently, they're one of the most powerful, if not, THE most powerful, monsters of the Subspace Army. Despite its heavy weight, it's super-fast, so be extremely careful…"

As the Clubberskull rushed towards the fighters, they all jumped out of the way, ending up behind the monster and catching it off its guard as they flew in with punches and kicks. However, the flesh was super thick and no matter what the fighters threw at him, it barely made a dent. But that "barely" just might be their one chance in victory.

"We're going to have to need a distraction," Meta Knight groaned. "The rest of us will have to keep it focused on us."

"Already on it!" Sonic exclaimed. The blue hedgehog dashed towards the Clubberskull, moving so fast that not even the monster's arms could catch him. Eventually, the beast felt Sonic start to claw through its tough flesh, and it couldn't even feel a thing because it was so tough. The Clubberskull then saw Bayonetta, Dark Pit, Palutena, and Meta Knight ready their weapons, and it started crawling towards them. Since it was moving so fast, Sonic had a hard time hanging on but grabbed on its stringy bands of tissue and continued drilling with his spindashes.

The fighters tried dodging out of the Clubberskull's path, Meta Knight teleporting to and fro, Palutena, Dark Pit, and Bayonetta firing their only projectiles at the monster. Meanwhile, Sonic was drilling deeper into its thick skin, eventually cutting through all the layers and reaching to the center. The monster had the other fighters cornered by its huge arms, ready to crush them hard into the ground. Just then, the Clubberskull froze in its stance. Meta Knight, Dark Pit, Palutena, and Bayonetta saw its only eye beginning to bulge, and Sonic emerged from its socket spindashing, leaving light-yellow juice at where the monster's eye used to be. As the beast's body fell down stone-cold, the blue hedgehog landed on his feet, shaking off whatever mucus he had on his quills.

"Looks like we proved that thing who's the fastest thing alive around here, right?" Sonic cheered. The Clubberskull's dead body was then carried off by a small cluster of Shadow Bugs, carrying the corpse off into the woods as the fighters watched it disappear into the depth of the luscious green.

"So sorry to intrude on you two cuties," Bayonetta said.

"It's nothing," Sonic replied. "From what I can gather from my travels and rumors, you must be Bayonetta, Palutena, and Dark Pit, am I correct?"

"I guess it's an honor to meet you, Mr. Sonic," Palutena answered.

"You've probably heard of Meta Knight, the Galaxia Warrior," Sonic then said, holding Meta Knight close to him. "Is that correct?"

"I'm sure we've all studied about him and his doings," Pittoo answered. "What are you two doing around here?"

"When I bumped into him," Meta Knight replied, "I heard him talk about receiving a vision because he is the only one unaffected by the amnesia effect by a trophy transformation. It could be the work of... a Smash Ball…"

"Smash Ball?" Palutena asked. "I've never heard of it before."

"Whatever it is," Meta Knight said, "we have to find out how it works, and fast. The Subspace Army can spawn out of nowhere and capture one of us, like Charizard and Lucas."

"Well," Sonic replied. "Let's just reunite with the Falcon Flyer Group in the southeast and wait for the Wolfen Assault Group to catch up. But before we do that… can I tell you what I saw in the vision?"

The fighters all sat down, and Sonic took a silent, deep breath before resting his legs as well.

"I saw… a girl," Sonic said. "She was just lying down, in a strange world filled with cosmos. She looked like a brave fighter, and she had a mark on her left upper arm which resembled closely like the Subspace Army symbol. She had no idea who she was or where she came from, just wandering around in the darkness. Then, a strange figure who called himself the Master Core appeared behind her and gave her the name Hella, told her she was in the land of Arcadia, a world beyond her dreams. The last thing I heard before I woke up was that she was about to experience a life-changing crisis…"

"Hella, huh?" Bayonetta replied. "Maybe she has something in connection with the Subspace Army, maybe even solving why this is happening…"

"We better hurry and team up with our friends," Sonic answered. "Any moment now, more monsters like that Clubberskull from before might appear out of nowhere."

"That Smash Ball is waking up," Meta Knight replied, "The one that was untouched by the magic of the Hands shall be the one to bring the others into the light…" Eventually, Sonic ran off to the southeast, but slow enough for Meta Knight, Palutena, Dark Pit, and Bayonetta to catch up, following the Winged Firestorms flying off farther southeast towards a large desert.

Chapter 8: The Beginning of the Subspace War

Summary:

As Lucas, Little Mac, and Charizard arrive at a desert, they and several fighters are confronted by another vessel for the Shadow Bugs.

Chapter Text

The darkness seeped in as the black-red cloud rolled in the sky. Lucas with Charizard and Little Mac heard the roaring of the monsters far off from the distance, a slight look of terror in their eyes. They were just in the rocky plains of the desert mountains, on the lookout for any Subspace Army creatures.

"Wow," Lucas said. "I never knew how big the world is now…"

"It must've been the alternated rules after the defeat of this Tabuu…" Little Mac replied.

"As you know, our objective is to find out about the Smash Ball, right?" Lucas said. "The glare in our eyes signified that we might have something in common with each other, so if we hurry, we might find what we're looking for."

As the three fighters were climbing over the rocky face, Charizard suddenly picked up a strange scent. The Pokémon started growling and flew above the small mountainside. When Little Mac and Lucas saw Charizard flying, the two fighters climbed up, trying to see what Charizard found. There, the three fighters saw what appeared to an abandoned lab, the thunder from the black-red cloud flashing to show the symbol of the Subspace Army on a rather large sign.

"This place c-could be dangerous," Lucas stammered. "We have to be careful around here… Who knows what could spring up and attack us?" The blond-haired PSI boy, the Pokémon, and the small boxer walked closer to the building, they were keeping their guard up constantly, but it suddenly dropped when a strange figure warped right in front of them, startling the fighters.

The cat-like thing appeared to be black all over, three peculiar fingers on his hands, his tail fading into a bright neon orange. A strange gem was fused to his left shoulder, the same color as the tip of his tail, and his eyes were giving off a dim glow exactly the color of the Shadow Bugs.

"P-please, strange creature…" Lucas stammered, fear in his eyes. "We didn't mean any harm. We were just looking around for evidence of the Subspace Army. We'll get out of your way, if that's okay with you…"

"That's right," the stranger telepathized, "unless you want to suffer the wrath of Shadow Mewtwo…"

"Mewtwo?" Little Mac asked. "Isn't Mewtwo one of those… legendary Pokémon, whatever you call them?"

"You must be Mewtwo, right?" Lucas said. "If you have something in common with the Subspace Army, maybe you can help us."

"I'm sorry," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in answer. "My abilities lie to serving no other master but Tabuu only, and his job is to make sure I eliminate all who dare cross his path." A Shadow Bug fell out of Shadow Mewtwo's gem on his left shoulder, and the psychic Pokémon caught it before placing it back on his shoulder, where it merged with him into his black body.

"Is he some sort of…?" Little Mac asked Lucas before the blond-haired PSI boy butted in.

"Vessel for Shadow Bugs?" Lucas answered the small boxer. "Of course he is. Didn't you see the Shadow Bug fall out of him a minute ago? These little critters are parasitic, infecting a certain host and replicating inside, brainwashing them into working for their true master. The only other person we know who went through a similar situation was Mr. Game & Watch, not even knowing he was being harvested for the Shadow Bugs within him and imprisoned by Tabuu."

"Looks like someone knows their history very well for being a coward," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized, floating a little higher into the air. "Besides, I sure loved the look on your faces when you have to flee for your miserable lives."

"Wait," Lucas said. "You don't mean that…?" Just then, Lucas suddenly remembered the situation at the Ruins of the Ancients, how he and Charizard were the only ones who escaped, and the strange figures they tried to identify in the fire.

"You're one of the people who attacked us, weren't you? Back at the Ruins of the Ancients?" Lucas exclaimed, suddenly knowing the three Ultimates were probably with him at that time too.

"How precise you are, kid," the Pokémon telepathized in answer. "There's so much more you don't know about us nowadays…" Shadow Mewtwo then got on the ground, his feet barely touching as he stood right in front of the three fighters, inbetween them and the abandoned building. His orange-tipped tail whipped back and forth as his peculiar hands started creating sparks of violet-colored lightning, slowly growing larger the more force the Pokémon put in. Little Mac, Charizard, and Lucas saw what he's going to do next and readied their battle stances.

As the Shadow Ball grew as large as Shadow Mewtwo could possibly make it, the Pokémon telepathized, "Hope you can enjoy these last few seconds here, because you'll never know anything about the Subspace Army." It seemed like all hope was lost for the three fighters as the huge ball came flying towards them from the Pokémon's fingers, but a giant blue slash reflected it back at Shadow Mewtwo, slamming right into his chest with enough brute force to send him flying towards a small set of stray gas cans, creating a small explosion on impact.

Far off into the desert, Sonic, Meta Knight, Palutena, Dark Pit, and Bayonetta were running off, trying to look for a nearby Subspace base for evidence of the Smash Ball, but just when they heard a loud bang go off on their left, the blue hedgehog stopped in his tracks, looking at the smoke.

"What are you doing, idling around here for?" Meta Knight asked Sonic, tugging at the hedgehog's white glove.

"I saw a blast occur over there," Sonic answered, pointing at the smoke.

"Maybe we can find a clue about the Subspace Army," Palutena remarked. "Come on! Someone might need our help over there!" The small group of fighters then started running off towards the rocky area of the desert, a cloud of sand trailing behind them.

As the fire calmed down next to the abandoned building, Lucas, Charizard, and Little Mac got up, rubbing their bodies off the dust that flew towards them. When Shadow Mewtwo climbed out of the rubble, brushing the soot to avoid getting burned, he saw someone new as he tried adjusting his vision.

"What?" the Pokémon telepathized in question. There, he saw a blond-haired man, wearing black clothing with a red jacket, his blue eyes the same glowing color as his crimson metallic sword. Sonic, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Palutena, and Dark Pit ran up the rocky face, just in time to see what happened.

"So, you're this Shadow Mewtwo I've heard so much about," the stranger said, his voice in a cheery British accent. "Well, as long as I, Shulk, am involved with this, no one is getting hurt."

"You don't know who you're messing with, Bionis chosen by the Monado Arts," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in humor. "Once Tabuu regains his full strength, he will rise again to recreate the Great Maze, and they will be nothing you can do to stop him."

"Try me," Shulk said, grabbing the Monado Arts by the hilt of the blade, the large circle at the base starting flashing different symbols. When Shulk picked a red symbol found in his blade, he then started glowing red, grabbing the sword with his left hand. Eventually, Sonic, Meta Knight, Palutena, Dark Pit, Bayonetta, Lucas, Little Mac, and Charizard all stood up with Shulk against Shadow Mewtwo.

"I can tell you're looking for a Smash Ball, according to an old legend," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in lamentation. "Turns out, you already found one of them, in that little blue rat." As Shadow Mewtwo said that, he pointed at Sonic, knowing he was the only one unaffected by a trophy transformation.

"Correction: it's hedgehog," Sonic objected. "If you're gonna threaten me, do it properly."

"Enough games, creature," Shulk said. "This is the Monado's power."

Shadow Mewtwo was about to release another Shadow Ball but was quickly knocked out of his guard when Little Mac came in too fast and did an uppercut punch from behind. The Pokémon started warping out of the group, firing his psychic bolts at Charizard, Meta Knight, Palutena, and Dark Pit, who were now flying towards him. Once the four fighters bolted off the ground, they flew in so quick that not even Shadow Mewtwo was able to react in time. However, one of the bolts hit Charizard before he blasted fire at the Pokémon, knocking into Dark Pit. Palutena managed to charge up her particles from her staff, and Meta Knight rushed in with powerful slashes from his blade. Shadow Mewtwo managed to use his Disable ability to make the masked warrior dizzy, but Shulk rushed just in time, glowing green thanks to the Monado Arts and jumping high enough to grab Meta and attack with a mighty slash that knocked the Pokémon onto the ground. Once Shadow Mewtwo got back up, he saw Sonic and Little Mac charging right towards him. Once they were in close, Shadow Mewtwo was about to release a powerful melee attack before they could even land a blow, but Bayonetta got in the way, using her Witch Time. Because she didn't do it fast enough, she used her Bat Within to transform into a swarm of bats, obstructing the Pokémon's view. Once Shadow Mewtwo scared the swarm off, the bats clustered back into Bayonetta's original form, and Lucas used his PK Freeze to seal Shadow Mewtwo in ice. Once Shadow Mewtwo thawed himself, he saw the fighters in front of him, charging right towards him.

"So, you think this is all a game, huh?" Shadow Mewtwo telepathized. "You haven't seen my ultimate power yet…" When the Pokémon got up, the other fighters stopped and watched as Shadow Mewtwo used the Shadow Bugs in his body to transform himself into his ultimate form: his X Mega Evolution, which was now coated purple like the Shadow Bugs with gleaming white eyes. Shadow Mewtwo then started blasting powerful psychic beams at the other fighters while they dodged and ran towards him, and he charged up his Shadow Ball, but Shulk rushed up to him in time, using his Monado Arts to use his Speed ability, and he ran almost as fast as Sonic, using a backslash behind Shadow Mewtwo, and then Sonic spin-dashed deep into the Pokémon's front. Once all the fighters ran up to Shadow Mewtwo, the Pokémon got up, brushing the dust off his body with his telekinesis.

"You may have defeated me," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized, "but that taste of power was just the beginning. Good luck trying to learn about our ruler in time, because there won't be enough…" Just like that, Shadow Mewtwo warped out of the abandoned building's area, technically resulting in a small victory for the reunited group of fighters. Once the fighters brushed the dust collected on their skin, Sonic and Meta Knight turned towards Lucas and Charizard, relieved of their survival.

"Sonic!" Lucas cried, running towards the blue hedgehog and hugging him tight, avoiding pricking himself on the quills.

"I missed you so much, buddy," Sonic wept, his eyes filled with tears of joy. Meta Knight flew in just in time, joining in with the group hug.

"How'd you escape from the Subspace Army?" Meta Knight asked, filled with relief as Charizard joined the group hug too.

"Well, it wasn't easy, but you know about how air-headed Primids nowadays are," Lucas answered.

"And what about the rest of our buddies?" Sonic asked, breaking up the group hug. "Snake, Ice Climbers, Red, the gang you went with, where are they?" Lucas looked down in shame, shaking his head and showing that he doesn't know where the others were. When the other fighters saw that some of their friends' friends were either missing or dead, they stepped in closer to understand what's going on.

"… I see…" Sonic said, knowing that even Lucas and Charizard don't know where Snake and his gang are at. "Well, we'll rescue them somehow. These buddies you met with are Little Mac and Shulk, right?"

"Yes," Shulk said, looking at the blue hedgehog in awe. "How'd you know?"

"Well, after the defeat of Dr. Eggman, I managed to find a way to travel across the universe, visiting different worlds and learning about the heroes and villains… It's a long story, basically," Sonic answered. "However, when I finally came across Master Hand, he transported me to this world, but wasn't fast enough to transform me into a trophy and wipe out my memories, and I've been on the run since."

"In other words," Meta Knight butted in, "he's the only one who was unable to turn into a trophy, and that's why he was affected by a Smash Ball."

"Smash Ball!?" Lucas said. "Where!?"

"He's not sure, kid," Bayonetta answered. "According to the little blue rodent, he experienced it somehow during some sort of certain event followed by a splitting headache. Isn't that right, Sonic? Sonic?" The blue hedgehog then looked at the building, looking at the place in stern. The blue hedgehog then rushed inside, attempting to investigate the place.

"Sonic!" Little Mac called out, trying to run to him, but Meta Knight placed a hand on his back.

"Not now, my little comrade," the small warrior objected. "It's something he has to experience for himself."

Inside the abandoned laboratory, Sonic slowly walked around, investigating the place. As he looked around, he saw only one florescent light on the ceiling was still operational and glowing but still flickering, and it was bright enough for the blue hedgehog to get a good view of the place. The checkered tiles on the floor were dazed and dirty, the splotched walls covered in muck. Every footprint that Sonic left permanently stayed in place because of the thick dust and the dead air in the laboratory. As Sonic kept walking down the hall, he saw what appeared to be an empty kitchen complete with a television set now broken, a small bathroom, and a tiny fold-up bed attached to the wall, the pillows turned inside-out with feathers sticking out and a couple springs tearing through the fabric.

This must be someone's house, Sonic thought, his hands dragging alongside the door frames. Probably a place where you can lounge and work at the same time… Just then, Sonic saw a Shadow Bug on the floor. It was tiny and barely noticeable, but it was there, just at his feet. The Shadow Bug didn't seem to do anything, but Sonic noticed it was rather afraid as he took one small step and the creature backed off.

Strange how this Shadow Bug is alone, Sonic thought. I thought all of them were evil, and they only traveled in clumps. The Shadow Bug slowly floated and rested on Sonic's long, black nose, tickling him a little.

I guess this little guy isn't so bad, Sonic thought again. The blue hedgehog giggled as the Shadow Bug peered closer to his face, making him cry a little. Just then, the tiny purple ball of fluff flew off deep into the dark hall.

"Hey, wait up!" Sonic called. He ran fast enough to catch up to the ball in the darkness and came across a work table in another room. As he saw the Shadow Bug hover in the air, the blue hedgehog watched as it illuminated itself in a bright violet light and rest itself in a small jar. Sonic slowly placed a small-holed lid on the jar with the Shadow Bug, and the tiny fluff ball lit up brighter, giving off a faint purple glow on the walls. As Sonic looked around, he saw that the work area was filled with designs and blueprints in ways that even he can't figure out because of the strange language. They didn't even look like those machines of war were made by the Subspace Army themselves.

Almost as if they were made for a reason.

As Sonic took a small glance at the blueprints, he felt his head starting to hurt badly, almost just as bad as the incident at the burned forest. As the blue hedgehog groaned loudly, the glare in his eyes caused them to give off a white glow just like before. At that point, Sonic's eyes glowed so brightly that not even the Shadow Bug he befriended could illuminate itself to be that blinding. Giving off a loud yell of pain, Sonic collapsed again, everything going dark.


When the blue hedgehog woke up again, he saw he was giving off a rainbow-like fiery hue with golden irises and the Smash Ball fused to his chest just like before. As Sonic sharpened his vision, he looked around and saw that the only window in the room was letting in some sunlight. The Shadow Bug from before was still in its jar on the table, almost like nothing happened.

Strange how this is all a memory when stuff like this happens and you're still here with me, Sonic telepathized, just like before. Unless you have a way of appearing in visions like I do… When Sonic grabbed the jar, he looked around and saw that nothing was now cluttered in the lab. The blueprints were all gone, and the place looked so clean now. When Sonic walked out of the room, he saw that no one was there, looking rather empty. As soon as Sonic walked outside the door, the sun was blinding his eyes when he looked around and saw no rocky desert. Instead, he saw a luscious field with splotches of trees here and there. Flowers the blue hedgehog had never seen before bloomed right at his feet, almost identical to the one he saw growing in the burned forest. When Sonic looked to his right, he saw a huge arena, looking exactly like the Midair Stadium. As Sonic ran towards the arena, the Shadow Bug in the jar started chirping quietly. The faint glow in the jar created a small path leading right through the arena's wall.

Through there? The blue hedgehog telepathized in question. Sonic probably assumed this is what the Shadow Bug wanted him to do, so he ran straight headfirst through the wall. Once Sonic noticed he could pass through solid objects, he clipped right through, seeing that he was in a huge crowd watching what was going on.

The Arcadium, Hella's voice rang again. In that huge arena, there was the Master Core, the big-head boss of the place. Sonic suddenly remembered it was a memory, where this girl named Hella was talking to him through what she experienced. As Sonic heard the voice, the Shadow Bug in the jar he was holding chirped quietly again, and the blue hedgehog saw the Master Core himself. The strange entity, simply floating like a black cloud, was at the center of the arena. Just then, the quartz bridge rolled down, and the first person who walked out was Hella.

"Behold, one of the first of my many creations, Hella," the Master Core's voice boomed out through the Arcadium as the large audience applauded in ear-splitting cheers. As Sonic saw Hella from a good distance, he noticed she looked more beautiful than when he first heard of her existence. The raven-black girl with the now-violet eyes had an expression on her face that told her she was excited about here. As Sonic watched again, he saw hundreds of thousands of what appeared to be fighters, most of them more out of place than others.

I was excited the first day the Arcadium was open, millions of people participating to watch us fight, Hella's voice rang out again in Sonic's head. There were so many fighters here, those whose faces I can never remember, and the Master Core called them all trophies, even though I didn't know why…

"I officially declare the Arcadium, the arena for fighters across the multiverse, open!" the Master Core echoed. As the audience cheered, Sonic and the Shadow Bug in the jar saw the sorts of fighters all down below, looking rather excited about this.

"Let the battles begin!" the Master Core boomed.

As what felt like hours passed, Sonic noticed Hella was fighting like no other warrior at her time. The stances she took, the magic she used, the way she swung her huge sword, there was no telling she did not fight like an ordinary Subspace Army member.

Even though I didn't have my memories, Hella's voice echoed in Sonic's head, I was very skilled in my combat movement. Pummeling my enemies into oblivion and watching them get fished out of the unidentified matter below the stage, it was all rather entertaining to me, but still not enough to know what's going on, or how it could be illegal if I did my own thing...

Once the sun started to set, Sonic walked through the arena walls to outside, seeing that the laboratory Hella was walking to was actually one of the many homes just outside the Arcadium, and each house was identified with the fighters' certain symbols, Hella's being the Subspace symbol. As Sonic the Hedgehog walked in to see what Hella was doing inside, he saw the raven-black warrior inside, the long fabric on her legs trailing behind her seat.


Every day, Hella rang out again, I was building new inventions and wacky gadgets for my weapons, each one deadlier than the last, after receiving the materials I earned in my victories. It wasn't all just for me, but for other fighters and the Master Core himself too. The one thing I didn't know was about the situations the Master Core was going through. According to his law, no trophy is allowed to be outside their homes after sunset, for it was the hour of his own personal business.

Personal business? Sonic thought. The Smash Ball's colors projected the rainbow light like water, not even bothering Hella on her work table. The blue hedgehog looked with his golden eyes as he saw the Shadow Bug touching the side of the jar from inside, probably thinking about what happens next.

Little did he know that I had been waiting for this day in eons, Hella's voice rang out. That night, I was going out to see what the Master Core is doing, and nothing will ever stop me. As soon as the black-clothed warrior got up from her work desk, she grabbed her weapon and ran outside, faster than Sonic ever could run. As the blue hedgehog followed the girl, he noticed she was avoiding being spotted by the hovering robots in the air, all of them simple discs quartz-white with searching lights protruding from below them. When they passed below Sonic, they didn't see him somehow, so they didn't give off an alarm, which was lucky.

As Sonic followed Hella sneaking in, he followed her to one of the many rooms in the Arcadium, right outside the Master Core's office, which was the only room off-limits.

"I won't let a silly sign stop me," Hella whispered, slowly ripping off the warning sign off the door and sneaking in. Sonic followed her in, passing through the door. There, he saw the Master Core, gathering books and scrolls of whatever he found in the items vault. Putting them all in small steel boxes, the black cloud pushed them towards what appeared to be a Mii Fighter, probably of the female Brawler type and wearing sort-of cool gear. Sonic saw that Hella was watching from a distance, looking at the Master Core putting all her inventions and crafts in separate containers, giving them all to the Mii Fighter, which she put all of them in a special magic bag.

"Make sure that the Ancients receive this technology in time, for it is necessary to their survival," the Master Core told the Mii Brawler.

The Ancients? Sonic thought. I thought those robots made all that technology by themselves before the Subspace Army. The Shadow Bug in the jar Sonic was holding chirped quietly again, trying to make the blue hedgehog pay more attention to the conflict.

"Also," the Master Core boomed throughout the room, "hide all this precious knowledge in your Chamber of Secrets, deep in your city." The Mii Brawler nodded by command, putting all the books and scrolls in her magic bag before she carried it out of the office on her back. Just then, the Master Core noticed Hella was hiding this whole time behind the items.

"Hella…" the black entity boomed again. The raven-black warrior walked out of the shadows, her rainbow-tipped hair waving in front of her dark-circled purple eyes. Sonic watched in vain as he probably predicted that she might be punished without any dialogue, and the Shadow Bug creeped in closer to him in fear.

"I warned everyone to stay inside their homes after sunset," the Master Core said. "You somehow disobeyed me, and I already knew what you were doing…"

"But you just can't let us keep living like this!" Hella exclaimed in objection. "All we do is fight and fight alone, forced to battle unknown strangers we'll never meet, and all you're doing is stealing my hard work to provide for someone we don't even know is out there! Don't tell me there's nothing to stay away from! You promised me a land beyond my imagination, but this isn't the dream I was given, nor anyone's, for that matter! For once in your life, could you just open your eyes and see that this is not what WE wanted!? Why don't you let US create our OWN worlds, with whatever rules WE can dream of!?"

"HELLA!" Master Core yelled, his voice so great it shook the whole Arcadium. "Whatever I decide is not up to you. Head back to your home now. I'll be coming over first thing in the morning to transform you into a trophy, making you forget what you just experienced tonight."

Hella tried to grab the hilt of her weapon, but hesitated. Instead, she calmed herself down and slowly walked outside. The warrior passed through Sonic, making him turn towards her as she walked out the door.

I wanted to fight the Master Core that night, Hella's voice rang out again in Sonic's head, but I remembered there were some things you can't get involved with, and it was too late. When the blue hedgehog looked behind him to see the Master Core, he saw the black entity was focusing himself directly at him.

"You're probably wondering why this all happened," the Master Core spoke to Sonic.

So, wait, Sonic telepathized. You can see and hear me, even though this is just a memory of someone else, like that girl.

"I am capable of many things, Sonic the Hedgehog," the Master Core spoke again, "and Hella is no exception. I already knew you wouldn't be the only one affected by a trophy transformation, allowing you to keep your memories thanks to your fast speed."

But why remove memories of all the other fighter's past lives? Sonic telepathized in question.

"It's best to not even know about all the pain and suffering they went through to become ultimate," the Master Core answered.

But memories are what make a part of us, probably the most important ingredient, Sonic telepathized in objection. If you take that away from us, we probably won't even remember who or what we once were. Sure, it's harsh and painful, but they're memories worth remembering.

"But I always have good reasons for wiping memories from trophies," the Master Core said. "Hella, as you just saw, may be suffering by amnesia from the transformation, but that's because she should've never known about her true destiny, and you know that well too…"

But can you tell me why this is all happening? Sonic asked through telepathy. Why I'm the only one who can see the Smash Ball inside us?

"That's something YOU have to see for yourself," the Master Core answered. "After all, you are all just the children of a being greater than you. However, I will give you a hint: Tabuu is the one giving you these memories for a reason." Then, the Master Core disappeared from the room, leaving Sonic and the Shadow Bug in the jar alone. As soon as Sonic walked out of the empty room, he ran straight to Hella's house, where he passed through the lab's walls. When Sonic slowly peered to look inside the work room, he saw Hella, tapping on one of her unfinished projects. The warrior-slash-scientist had a look of anger and spite, jealous that she didn't have power equal to the Master Core. As she looked more at the project on her desk, her fists started clenching and her face turning red, her purple eyes gleaming bright with envy.

The blue hedgehog kept watching, the fire-like rainbow hue flowing like it was being caught in a wind, and the Shadow Bug in the jar Sonic was carrying in his hand backed up, mildly afraid. Filled with fire in her eyes, Hella yelled and knocked off her equipment in one swipe, and she grabbed the chair she was sitting on and smashing everything else like a baseball bat. After she made a huge mess of the place, she slammed her fists so hard that she broke the lab table in half, covering her hands in splinters and deep cuts. When she took a look at the desolation she caused with her melee methods alone, she placed her wounded hands in her face and started crying, her bitter weeps mixing in with her silent hiccups.

Sonic watched as she kept crying, her jealous heart growing stone-cold. As the blue hedgehog knelt beside her, he placed a hand on her back, trying to make it seem like he was actually touching her despite being able to pass through solid objects. After Hella wiped her face, she slowly got up, finally free of her fears and anxieties.

I wouldn't let the rules of the Master Core stop me, Hella's voices rang out through Sonic. I was going to find out about myself, one way or another. Grabbing a map stocked away in her drawers, she pulled it out, revealing the uncharted corners of Arcadia.

My objective was to find the Mii Fighters and find out who I really was, despite the risks, Hella's voice said. However, I couldn't go alone, and none of the other fighters were brave enough to stand up to the task. So, I had to create my own companion. As Hella put together whatever equipment she had left in her lab, she was grabbing all sorts of formulas that were in her fridge past the over-expired grub stocked deep within with small gadgets and batteries.

A companion that was small enough to fit in a tiny jar, Hella's voice rang out again through Sonic as he watched her mix different compounds together, even brushing off the dust she collected on her clothes from her first encounter of the Master Core, which had tiny particles form the black entity known as "Swarm".

A companion as black as the shadows which can dominate over heroes and villains alike, Hella's voice said, the blue hedgehog seeing the warrior piece together wires and switches, carefully connecting each gear.

A companion… that would call me its one true master… Hella's voice said again, and Sonic finally saw her extracting a little bit of her color from her purple irises with a special tiny dropper as she placed of drop if it in a jar with a small, while, woolen pom-pom and a black garden ant. Her plan was to fuse the three components into one, single form with all the other mixtures she carefully poured in the jar with measuring containers. Once Hella started the machine by pressing a few buttons on the control panel, she then flipped the largest switch she could find, which generated electricity. Since the mixtures were conductors as good as water, the electric currents passed through freely, sparking up the whole room so bright that all the florescent lights in Hella's house bursted, leaving the place a total blackout. Just then, a faint, purple light started glowing from inside the jar as Hella grabbed a flashlight by her desk and looked inside the jar. Sonic watched as her peered at what she had created.

A Shadow Bug, Hella's voice said. When Hella opened the jar, the tiny creature flew right into her face, making her giggle a bit. As the Shadow Bug hovered around her face, it started chirping quietly before landing back into her jar, which she slowly closed. When Sonic saw that the Shadow Bug was created, he looked down to the Shadow Bug he was holding in the jar and saw it was probably the same one, which probably explains why it was alone and didn't attack after all these years. When Hella grabbed her usual weapon, the huge sword with a series of guns attached to the base, she placed the jar her Shadow Bug was in in her side pocket, grabbing her map and walking outside her laboratory.

I was going to find out about myself, Hella's voice said to Sonic. However, when I did that, I was never the same again… Just as soon as Hella walked outside the Arcadium's area, Sonic felt his eyes glowing white again, noticing he is probably going to be heading back to where he was before.


After Sonic woke up in shock, he noticed he was normal again, and the Shadow Bug in the jar he was carrying was still on the broken table. The blue hedgehog then grabbed the jar and walked down the dark hallway, catching up speed as he ran out of the abandoned laboratory. When he got outside, he was in the rocky desert again, with the same red-black twilight, with Lucas, Charizard, Little Mac, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Palutena, Dark Pit, and Shulk waiting outside. Once Sonic ran up towards the other fighters, he felt like he was ready to tell them what he just experienced in another vision.

"Guys, there's something I have to tell you, and it's probably life-changing," Sonic said, placing the jar with the Shadow Bug behind his back.

"What's that?" Palutena asked the blue hedgehog, noticing the jar.

"Oh, this?" Sonic pulled out the jar with the Shadow Bug, saying, "I just found him all alone. You know how Shadow Bugs usually travel in groups and attack on sight? Well, he was rather peaceful and insisted I take him with me, so I thought I would give him the nickname 'Faker'. Y'know, because it reminded me of Shadow the Hedgehog calling me that name back at my home planet."

"Okay, we did not need to know about your encounter, just glad to see if you're okay," Meta Knight said. "Now, what did you see in that vision?"

"Well," Sonic said, "I saw the Midair Stadium was once known as the Arcadium on land, and there were hundreds of thousands of fighters not like us, and Hella was one of them. One night, she snuck into the Master Core's office, even though she clearly was not supposed to, and she saw all the recollected knowledge of the worlds they came from being taken to a city filled with Mii Fighters, and her technology for the Ancients."

"But I thought the Ancients were masters of technology before they became extinct," Palutena objected.

"Unless R.O.B. was lying to us before his cloak was burned, and for good reason," Meta Knight answered. "Go on, rodent."

"Eventually," Sonic continued, "she became whiny that the rules here aren't fair, and she was jealous that the Master Core had all this power to do whatever HE wants and not his toys, even though he clearly said this was the 'Land of Opportunities'. So, she decided to seek the Mii Fighters herself, and she eventually created the first Shadow Bug, namely Faker, in this jar." When Sonic held out the jar again, the other fighters saw the Shadow Bug floating around, suspended in the tiny jar with a small-holed lid.

"But I still don't get what was the big fuss over the Smash Ball," Lucas said. "Isn't that the key weapon to Tabuu's destruction?"

"Only one way to find out," Sonic said. "But first, we have to find it, and maybe even find out if it is worth finding or not."

"Did you find anything in that lab that could help us?" Bayonetta asked the blue hedgehog.

"Outside of this Shadow Bug?" Sonic answered. "Definitely not… oh, except for these little things…" When Sonic pulled out the blueprints from before, the other fighters pulled them open, looking at all the different gadgets labeled on the paper. They were all trying to read what the writings on the blueprints said, but they couldn't make out the language.

"This is obviously spoken in Ancient tongue," Palutena said. "There's no way we can ever find out what it says, and we don't have your R.O.B. around to read it, and even then would we not have a single thought translator around…"

"Unless we find someone who at least knows the languages of the Ancients and whatever race they come across," Sonic answered. "Even I don't know this, but across that desert, miles away from here, there's a huge city that is filled with all sorts of races… or was from what I've learned. Nowadays, this place is filled with even the harshest of the harsh, and the only living civilian might be the species capable of translating. Well, I guess your talent can be a bit pricey, considering if you're a squid-like creature, and squids are mentioned to be rather smart. I luckily visited this place before I even heard about the Subspace Army…"

"Just might be all the information we need," Lucas said. "Now, if we can find one of those civilians, we might be able to figure out what those machines and blueprints were used for…"

"Then we have no time to waste," Meta Knight said. "We have to find the rest of our friends, rescue those still under the grasp of the Subspace Army, find out about this Tabuu, and use that knowledge of why he wants ultimate power to destroy the Subspace Army once and for all. Now, let's go!" With a slightly reunited party, the group of fighters decided to have a change of plans: head west towards that new city known as Civiltatula.

Chapter 9: Traitors of Evil

Summary:

In different parts of Arcadia, the fighters come across servants of Tabuu who had given up their loyalty to their leader just as fast as they were discovered.

Chapter Text

Running across the snowy mountainside, avoiding many of the Subspace Army allies, the Falcon Flyer Group was seen running off to the northwest, hoping they can meet up with the Wolfen Assault Group and stop whatever enemy is in their path. Once they were in the clear, they stopped for a little break.

"Do you guys think Meta Knight will make it out okay?" Pit asked. "He said he should go alone, and I don't think he might be safe out there…"

"He's been studying old legends of the land ever since the Subspace Army took his ship," Lucario answered. "That's one of the many reasons why they nicknamed him 'The Lone Swordsman'."

"It just seems no matter where we go, we're never safe," Pit said. "Gee, I sure miss being with Lady Palutena in Skyworld, and my old buddy Pittoo…"

"You kept talking about them ever since you first arrived in Arcadia," Ike replied. "I'm sure your old friends would have taken care of themselves after ten years."

"Guys, do you hear something?" Captain Falcon whispered in question. When the bounty hunter heard the snow crunching from a distance, the fighters got up, readying their stances. As the sounds got closer, they were just about prepared for the worst. However, there appeared to be instead a small duck, his body all brown and his head purple. Seconds later, the duck was followed by a brown dog with black ears and nose, his collar red. When the fighters saw the duck hopping onto the dog's back, they lowered their weapons.

"Aw…" Pit said. "Isn't that adorable? A duck and a dog are the best of friends…"

"Stay back, Pit," Marth said. "They might be some random stranger's pets, and he might not like it if you go ahead and – "

"Come on, Marth," Pit objected before turning towards the duck and the dog. "What's the matter, buddies? You lost?" The angel crept in closer to the unlikely duo, the two animals walking towards Pit. As soon as the angel gently grabbed ahold of the dog's collar, the other fighters felt rather alarmed. Then, the dog started licking Pit's face, making him giggle while the duck was ruffling his feathers.

"It's alright, guys," Pit said. "These animals are friendly." Just then, Pit took a look at the golden tag on the collar. The angel took a closer look at the tag before he noticed he couldn't read.

"Ike?" Pit asked. Could you read this for me, please?" The Beorc walked over to the duck and dog, taking a good look at the words on the retriever's collar.

"That's the name you guys share, isn't it? Duck Hunt?" Ike asked. The dog and duck barked and quacked in response, and Ike probably assumed that it was their name. Just then, Ike took another look at the tag, and he said along with the description under the name, "Property of Subspace Army: return at once to avoid surrender. What does that mean, guys?"

"It could probably mean they ran away from the Subspace Army," Peach answered. "Poor things. I hope no harm happened to them. Wonder why…?" Then, Ike flipped the tag around to find out it read something else.

"What does it mean they're 'Powerful Retro Figures'?" Ike asked the other fighters again.

"Probably means that they might have some old-school, classic, 8-bit abilities," Pit answered.

"Old-school, 8-bit what?" Ike asked. Suddenly, they heard a powerful gust of wind in their direction, and the other fighters saw what appeared to be a red-orange warrior that looked much like Meta Knight, and his wings resembled that of a butterfly.

"…Meta Knight?" Lucario asked the warrior.

"Don't you fools know who I am?" the warrior responded. "I was originally known on my home planet as Galacta Knight, and thanks to the powers the Construct God has given me, I have become a more dominant figure: Morpho Knight!" Duck Hunt then started growling and quacking at the stranger, and the other fighters brought up their weapons again.

"Now, now," Morpho Knight said. "I don't want any bloodshed, especially from the Duck Hunt traitor. All I want is Meta Knight, for he had studied legends about a Smash Ball and knows about its uncharted abilities."

"Smash Ball?" Pit exclaimed in question.

"You heard me right," Morpho Knight answered. "I heard he has finally found one of them, which we need to create more Subspace Bombs and rebuild the Great Maze. In one of your friends, I presume."

"Enough games!" Marth exclaimed. "How do you know all this!? Which friend are you talking about!?"

"I swear I'm not even lying," Morpho Knight answered. "All of the Subspace Army has heard about one of the Smash Balls escaping after ten years of dormancy and has found its way into the body of the only fighter who was too fast to even be transformed into a trophy…"

"…No one can be that fast enough to outrun a trophy transformation, unless…" Captain Falcon objected. "Oh, no…"

"What?" Ike asked the bounty hunter.

"The only person who was too fast to avoid being transformed into his trophy self! Sonic the Hedgehog!" Captain Falcon answered.

"You got that right, warrior of the nine planets," Morpho Knight said. "We have finally heard about the blue rodent, and we'll do everything in our power to drag it out of his dead body and make sure you don't find out the truth."

"The Smash Ball is our only key to victory," Pit said. "If you really want to get to Sonic and Meta Knight so badly, then you'll have to go through us!"

"…Very well," Morpho Knight answered. Spreading his wings, the butterfly warrior released hypersonic waves that were so loud it made the fighters barely deaf. As the Big Blue Group clenched their ears against the soundwaves in pain, Duck Hunt tried to bury their heads in the snow because they were too sensitive to the noises. Just then, the duck and the dog were starting to generate pixels, and the pixels took shape into what appeared to be an 8-bit gunman, which he used his Western guns to shoot at Morpho Knight's wings, disabling the soundwaves. Once the fighters got up, they saw the gunman generated from Duck Hunt absorb back into the dog's body like it was nothing.

"Oh," Pit said. "Guess you really were a retro fighter…" When Duck Hunt heard the response, the duck and dog barked and quacked in praise. When the other fighters got up, they saw Morpho Knight struggling out of the deep snow, noticing he was grounded as he looked at his damaged wings.

"Suffer in damnation, you cowards!" Morpho Knight swore as he unsheathed his fiery sword and jumped into the air. The other fighters jumped into the air as they avoided the large beam that was emitted from the blade's slash. Morpho Knight got onto the ground before Marth and Ike could land a hit, and the butterfly warrior started clashing swords with the two blue-haired swordfighters, the fiery magma crystal clashing with the silver-tipped Falchion and golden-plated Ragnell. Duck Hunt then started rushing in, the dog pulling out a clay pigeon from the generating pixels and flung it into the air, flashing red symbols appearing as reticles for a strange, invisible Blaster. When Morpho Knight felt the pieces of stone fly onto his mask, he brushed off the dust and saw Marth and Ike before jumping out of the way.

Pit started flying in, firing his arrows with his metallic bow at the butterfly warrior. Then, Morpho Knight jumped into the air and charged towards the angel, but not before Pit launched himself at the warrior, splitting his bow in half into two blades and slashing Morpho Knight's mask off. The butterfly warrior, covering his face with his big gloves, turned away from the other fighters as they rushed towards him. Just then, he regenerated another mask before looking at the Big Blue Group.

"Do you think I'm through with you yet?" Morpho Knight asked. Suddenly, the butterfly warrior flew high into the air, beginning to draw in power. He started glowing red and split himself into four more copies of himself.

"He can replicate!?" Pit exclaimed. "That's so unfair!"

The Morpho Knight clones then gathered huge stones, flinging them at the other fighters. Everyone ducked out of the way, only to realize they were blocked off by what appeared to be pillars made from the rocks and the Morpho Knights jumping on top of them, ready to unleash a powerful strike.

"Everyone, destroy the rocks!" Lucario yelled, attacking the pillars. The fighters then started lashing their all at the stones before the Morpho Knights began to slash. There wasn't enough time to destroy the other three pillars as the three butterfly warrior clones hit the ground, making rocks fly everywhere before jumping into the air again. Once all the other fighters dodged the pillars, they saw the Morpho Knight that tried to break the pillar but noticed it was destroyed was trying to pull his sword out of the ground, and the other fighters started jabbing and punching him immediately like a sandbag. Once all the fighters dealt the final blow as the three clones started flying in, Morpho Knight crashed into the snow, his replicates disappearing into thin air.

"You are going to regret this day," Morpho Knight moaned, the other fighters walking towards him. "We'll find your friends and use them in unimaginable ways." The butterfly warrior then pointed towards Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Bowser, and Wario. "As for the duck and dog, thanks a lot for betraying the Subspace Army, especially when you're friends with the original traitors." Getting up, Morpho Knight then unfurled his broken butterfly wings and teleported out of the area, leaving only a faint red-orange light where he last was.

"He said he's going to find Sonic and Meta Knight if it's the last thing he'll ever do," Captain Falcon said.

"Come on, then!" Pit exclaimed. "We gotta get to our friends quickly and tell them they're being hunted for this Smash Ball, whatever it is!" With Duck Hunt, the Big Blue Group continued running northwest, out of the snowy mountainside and into a deep forest.


Deep in the forest, where once was a paradise garden now stands a desolation of ashes from the Winged Firestorms. The Wolfen Assault Group journeyed deeper as they looked around, noticing there was more destruction everywhere.

"This looks terrible," Ness said. "I feel sorry for the poor creatures that didn't make the destruction out alive…"

"You're going to have to save your worries for later," Fox said. "Right now, we have to look for Sonic."

"Because you wanna tell him about leaving footprints in the ground doesn't work when you run faster than the speed of light?" Falco asked.

"No," Fox answered. "What I mean is we don't know why, but a lot of Subspace Army members are looking for him because – "

"We know, we know," Ganondorf interrupted. "Because of the fact that he's the only one outside all of us who was fast enough to avoid a trophy transformation. Do you think I don't know? You clearly remember I was first in command of the Subspace Army ten years ago. But what you didn't know was about the ones who were rejected before and are now probably in command right now…"

The fighters stopped in their tracks to understand what's going on and looked at the King of Darkness in question. "Whatever do you mean?" Falco asked.

"Sorry if I have to bore you with exposition, but I clearly remember the previous generals that were chosen to help the Ancient Minister in creating the Great Maze, back when we thought we were working for the Master Hand," Ganondorf answered. "His powers brought us here, and we were really deceived by Tabuu's given orders without even knowing it. Meta Knight was one of the trophies who was summoned because of the command of his ship. He told us that this could be the doom for us all, for he clearly knew the Master Hand would never take parts of our world for his own selfish needs, and someone else might be behind all of this. However, we only laughed in response and banished him from his ship, where he ended up in Marth and Ike's place. King Dedede knew about the situation that was going to happen and ran from us with a bag of strange looking brooches with his face on it, never to be seen again.

"There were only a few of us to be elected for command. I was chosen to organize the Ancient Minister's armies, Wario was made a bounty hunter with a trusty Dark Cannon at his side, and Bowser was made to look for the toughest in the fleet. He originally suggested the only spawn he ever had, but they had the King Koopa separated from his son for reasons unknown. Once those chosen for the original Subspace Army were picked out, everyone else was taken for use in the near future; in other words, they were immediately sent back to their homelands. One of the warriors walked up to me, determined that he should take my place."

"Any idea what this guy looked like?" Luigi asked.

"Hardly remember," Ganondorf continued, "except that he had long, silver hair and one wing sprouting from his right shoulder. His face and figure is all but a blank. He said to me, 'This is not fair, what you're doing. You are merely a reincarnation of an ancient demon long-lost in history. I am the eternal abyss, son of Loki's spawn Jenova, eldest sister of Fenrir and Leviathan. I can take control and build it up to the strongest army you have ever seen, if only you give up your place.' However, I was consumed by greed to take over Hyrule as intended, so I turned down his offer. Being rather pissed, he grabbed me by the neck, his glowing blue eyes shining through his thick locks. 'I will be in charge when you're gone,' he told me. 'The Subspace Army made their promises to bring us back one day, when the darkness falls. Every night that passes into day, the moon waits behind the land, eager for vengeance in its struggle against the light.' Then, he let me go and walked off with the rejected soldiers. I still fear the Subspace Army did keep their promises, as I noticed no one ever commands these monsters in such a way as they did."

"Sounds awfully similar to one of the guys that Lucas described," Ness said. "Did he do anything after you cast him aside?"

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Ganondorf answered. "The only thing he ever did was ship to us a large vessel of Smash Balls, legendary jewels fused with the powers of the stars, days after his rejection. Little did any of us know is that they have a mind of their own. They often contain memories of their creator's origin and they're really picky to call anyone's body their own vessel. They were hidden from our world and they have now found a way to communicate with us, but only through the bodies of trophies who havn't transformed into statues for ten years by one who hasn't been transformed at all."

"Sonic's the only one we know so far who hasn't been transformed into a trophy and still manages to keep his memories of our homelands and his," Fox said. "You don't probably mean he's possessed by one, do you?"

"Got that right, anthropromorphic creature," Ganondorf answered.

"Did you guys hear something?" Falco asked the group. The rustling of the trees swayed the branches above them with the black-red darkness behind the leaves. Then, the fighters saw what appeared to be a strange figure hopping back and forth, grunting with every jump. From the sounds the figure was emitting, the Wolfen Assault Group thought that that it was a woman, jumping to and fro. Once she landed on the ground right in front of the fighters, she stepped out of the shade, revealing herself. She had light-gray skin with dark-gray hair tied up in a ponytail, and she wore a blue sport bra with black yoga pants and bare feet. The other fighters saw how she looked whenever she stood upright, perfectly straight, pointing their weapons at her.

"Sorry if I arrived unnanounced," the strange woman said. "I think I'd like it better if you refer to me as the Wii Fit Trainer."

"What do you want from us?" Ganondorf asked her.

"Just for a little bit of fun," Wii Fit Trainer answered. "I'm merely a warrior forced to ally with the Subspace Army."

"Bounty hunter?" Fox asked. "You sure don't look like one, considering you're an ally from Tabuu."

"Don't be fooled by appearances," Wii Fit Trainer said. "I'm a lot stronger than I look, so don't kid yourselves. In the meantime, why don't we all relax with some hardcore exercising?"

"No one wants to fight, lady," Falco objected. "We dealt with it ten years ago. It won't happen again. All we want are just new allies to fight against Tabuu. Why don't we make a little deal?"

"Falco, are you crazy!?" Fox exclaimed. "You're gonna get yourself killed!"

"Patience, Fox," Falco said. "I'll find a way to get her of our backs."

"You do realize she's right in front of us, listening to every word we say?" Ganondorf remarked.

"Of course I realize it!" Falco answered. "Don't you see I'm trying to think of something? Anyway, Wii Fit Trainer, you sick of working for Tabuu?"

The light-gray skinned woman looked at the space gang leader, thinking about the decision she was about to come to. "Um, I don't know…" she answered.

"Listen," Falco said. "We're all sick of fighting each other, over and over, attacking whatever new faces seem threatening to us. You probably know that too, after ten years in isolation in this strange land. Why don't you just take a break and fight for the better good of this world?"

"Because… they're orders that I'm supposed to follow, no questions asked," Wii Fit Trainer answered. "I can't just simply… betray the Subspace Army."

"You got problems, you take a good look, girl," Ganondorf butted in. "I was fooled by Tabuu once and betrayed by him so that I can turn into a trophy. Don't tell me there's orders to follow from that coward!"

"That's not what I really meant," Wii Fit Trainer said. "I'm doing this because I have no choice. I'll join your stupid party, but only if you stop bothering me about pointless details."

"Deal," Falco said. "You're officially part of the Wolfen Assault Gang. Our mission: reunite back with our buddies southeast and find the third group we were stranded away from."

"What's that noise?" Fox asked. The fighters heard a low, rumbling sound appearing from the distance Wii Fit Trainer was spotted at. As the wind got stronger, the fighters all looked up to see a tough-looking general hovering in the air. He was clothed in red all over with a golden skull with wings on his cap, wearing a black cape, and his pupils and irises were missing from his blank white eyes. The stranger settled his feet on the ground, clenching his fists. When all the fighters saw who they were dealing with here, they readied their stances, all except for Wii Fit Trainer.

"Major Bison, leader of Shadaloo!" Wii Fit Trainer lamented. "I was not expecting you here. Please forgive me..."

"Enough of your precious lies, traitor," M. Bison boomed. "I know what you did, and you're planning on turning your back against the Subspace Army." The general then grabbed the light-gray skinned woman by the neck, tightening his grasp. The other fighters stood up against M. Bison, but the general told them to back off.

"Please let her go," Ganondorf said. "Whether she's the enemy or not, we don't want any harm done to her."

"Well, well, well. If it isn't the King of Darkness himself," M. Bison remarked. "I almost didn't even recognize that face. Remember the time when you were chosen to be in charge of organizing the Subspace Army? I remember, and every single one who lived to tell the tale…"

"Just as I feared," Ganondorf lamented. "There was a good reason why I turned away from the Subspace Army ten years ago. It was because of the fact I realized I was tricked by the Construct God. That doesn't mean I'm still getting used to having friends."

"Then you're probably rather weak," M. Bison said. "If you wish to see the Trainer alive, then you better do as I say: give me the one who has awoken the Smash Balls."

"We know who you're after," Fox said, remembering Sonic the Hedgehog. "We're not going to let you take him from us. He's the only thing we need to know about Tabuu and these Smash Balls."

"Last chance," M. Bison threatened, squeezing his fist and making Wii Fit Trainer choke. The fighters grabbed their weapons, ready to fight. "Give me the blue hedgehog or she dies."

"This seems all rather cliché, don't you think?" Falco asked. The fighters nodded in response, knowing about this rather familiar situation. "Someone makes a life-for-life deal, only to break it in the end…" When everyone stepped up to M. Bison again, Falco said, "Why should we even give up Sonic for Wii Fit Trainer? You're gonna have what you want and kill her anyway."

"Sad, but true," M. Bison chuckled. The general then tossed Wii Fit Trainer on the ground, causing her to crawl to the other fighters while catching her breath and correcting her body position. The other fighters then looked up to see M. Bison hovering in the air. Purple lightning sparked from his clenched fists as his blank white eyes looked down upon the Wolfen Assault Group.

"Now that you made it pretty obvious," M. Bison said, "I'll kill you all and look for the blue rat myself, and there will be nothing to stop me!" The other fighters then readied their weapons, challenging the red-clothed general.

"Psycho Crusher!" M. Bison yelled. He flew lower to the ground and made a forward punch with the purple sparks, but Pikachu and Yoshi managed to dodge it. Yoshi curled up into his egg form and rolled into the general, and Pikachu used Quick Attack, zipping in and out of place while leaving lines of electricity. Kirby and King Dedede then jumped into the air, with M. Bison following them high up in the air.

"Psycho Warp!" M. Bison yelled as he teleported in and out of place, a gravitational force field in the areas he appeared and disappeared out from. Kirby with his Cutter Sword created a blade beam with King Dedede throwing a Gordo, and the two of them launched several projectiles at the general. M. Bison managed to avoid them with his move but was crushed to the ground by a Gordo. Once M. Bison got up, he saw Diddy Kong, Fox, and Falco dashing and grabbing their guns.

"Headstomp!" M. Bison cried. The red-clothed general then jumped up into the air, falling headfirst straight down. Once the three animal fighters saw M. Bison falling, they managed to get off the ground, away from the falling general. Once M. Bison's head collided with the ground, he created a shockwave from the collision which spread across the forest, uprooting the smaller plants. Once all the fighters who were caught by the shockwave got up, Ganondorf, Luigi, Ness, and Wii Fit Trainer rushed towards the general, knowing that he was becoming weak from the impact.

"Psycho Punisher!" M. Bison flew up and charged a huge punch from the purple sparks in his fist. He was just about to land his most powerful hit on the fighters, but they jumped and attacked. Luigi used his Cyclone move, Wii Fit Trainer used her footbags and launched them at the general, and Ness used his PK Flash. Once the green entity hit M. Bison, the general was launched high into the air before crashing down to the ground. Before the general could even recover his strength, Ganondorf rushed in with a Warlock Punch, a move powerful enough to send M. Bison sky-high.

"This is not the end!" M. Bison cried as he blasted off, a small light flickering from the launch. The other fighters saw the Wii Fit Trainer getting up, who was cracking her spine with various poses.

"You got a little bit of forced conflict behind you, W.F.T.," Fox said. "You knew all along the enemy can't be trusted. We'll be wiped out of existence if we lose."

"Don't you think I know what happened to all those who had to surrender to Tabuu?" Wii Fit Trainer answered. "The Ancient Minister lost his people because of his negotiation with the enemy, from what I heard, and it was all Lord Ganondorf's fault they're gone."

"Listen," Ganondorf objected. "That was back when I thought I was working for the Master Hand for his promise of Hyrule, not even knowing the risk I put R.O.B.'s kind in. Forgive me if I was stubborn enough to even see the truth. When I found out I was tricked, I gave up working for the Subspace Army. Now I'm a wanted Gerudo. Didn't you hear M. Bison from before? You turned your back on them, so that means you're one of us now." The Wii Fit Trainer looked around, seeing all the new faces from the other fighters. The light-gray skinned woman then took a deep breath, relaxing her shoulders.

"So, I've heard you're looking for your friends, right?" Wii Fit Trainer asked.

"Mainly Sonic," Falco answered. "He has a Smash Ball, according to Ganondorf, which means he's on the run. Most of our friends are missing, others enslaved. It good to make sure that everyone makes it out okay, even if it means to risk feeling the sun's warmth again."

"Major Bison didn't just appear out of nowhere," Wii Fit Trainer said. "He had to have had a secret base around here."

"Secret base?" Ness asked.

"Yeah," Wii Fit Trainer answered. "Ten years ago, after the first defeat of Tabuu, some members of the Subspace Army survived to create hidden areas scattered all over Arcadia. There might be a high chance some of your friends are in there."

"Then we have no time to lose," Fox said. "We gotta reunite with our friends and prepare for the final battle." The other fighters then ran off, heading north to one of the secret bases which Wii Fit Trainer described.

Chapter 10: The Angel With A Single Wing

Summary:

Upon arriving at Smashville, Cloud and the others have noticed the town's residents have all vanished except for one, and the culprit is right in front of them.

Chapter Text

Out of the woods, as the black-red cloud got darker, Mario's group was heading to the location Cloud Strife described. The original fighters and duplicates journeyed far off with the 1st-class SOLDIER, across a flat mountain range.

"Strange how it had been ten years I was stuck in this world, and only now have I found someone like me," Cloud said to Link, who was walking beside him. "I had been learning a lot about the Subspace Army, even capturing a few Primids for interrogation." Just then, Toon Link ran beside the taller Hylian, tugging at his green tunic and ready to fight whatever monster is in their path.

"Funny that some of the people you call trophies have been stuck here for this whole time and still haven't grown up," Cloud remarked.

"Well, the rules of this land are rather strange," Link answered.

"Only the Master Hand choses who really wants to change," Mario then replied. "Even we can't ask the Hand of Creation how he decides things should be done. If he likes, he can simply reverse the effect."

"So, you said you have no recollection of your homeland, Cloud," Link said. "How do you know who we'll be up against?"

"It's strange, really," Cloud answered. "However, outside of knowing my name, there's not really much I can tell you outside of the fact that my attacks are powered by Mako poisoning."

"Poisoning?" Zero Suit Samus asked. "Who or what poisoned you?"

"… Wish it was a what," Cloud answered, "but sadly, it's a who. Silver hair, sword three times as long as his own body, one giant wing sprouting out from his right shoulder, unforgiving terrorist back at my homeland, who would have guessed?"

"Lucas had been talking about these new Subspace Army members the moment he returned to the Midair Stadium," Zelda lamented. "Wonder what they all wanted before…?"

"When I met him," Cloud told the gang, "it was after I heard about the attack of the Midair Stadium. I left the village just a few miles from here, and I met him deep in the woods. There was no word of warning; he just flew towards me, his sword clashing with mine. We kept on fighting, both our bodies flying into trees and demolishing the area around us, and all I wanted was to ask him why they wanted to attack the floating arena in the first place. However, he never said anything to me and left me a note before flying off."

"Can we see it?" Mario asked the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"Sure thing," Cloud answered, reaching into his back pocket and pulling the parchment of paper out. "I read it before, and it's best that you read it for yourselves." Mario, Dr. Mario, Link, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Zelda, and Sheik then unfolded the note, trying to read what it said. The result was rather confusing, as the note answered:

So, you really want to know what was our goal in the first place? Why only now, after ten years, we decide to attack this place once we were defeated? You're going to have to meet me in the village you took refuge in once the time is right. Until then, I can never tell you our main goal. Let's just say before, we wanted to steal your items and use them to create more Subspace Bombs. We noticed we were a few items short after our generals raided the arena, so we had to desolate the land in search of them. That's all I have to offer, except that you probably know a few things of the Master Core's origin, Cloud Strife, Hero of the planet Gaia, 1 st -class SOLDIER.

- Sephiroth

"Is it true?" Sheik asked Cloud, who was in front of them. "That you know something about the Master Core's origin?"

"A little, yeah," Cloud answered before stopping the walk. "As I was in the village last night, I saw a strange figure that looked a lot like the Master Hand himself, except he was all wispy and ghostlike. He touched me with his forefinger, giving me some details about the Master Core, and it all had unknown origin about his birth. Since the first age of Arcadia began, the Master Core didn't make the land as you see here today. It was someone else who was in charge – Tabuu, the God of Construction."

"Tabuu!?" Mario exclaimed. "What has that monster have to do with the Master Core!?"

"Believe me," Cloud continued, "I was as shocked as you were, Mario. Turns out Tabuu was in charge of controlling the Master Core, possessing his body and preventing the black entity from taking over. Together, they became known as the Goddess of Oblivion – Ragnarokk."

"Wait," Link objected. "Why is it that two divine beings that are technically classified as male can combine their powers to become a woman?"

"Like I said," Cloud answered, "I don't know just yet about how it works. Anyway, it was believed that Ragnarokk sculpted Arcadia from modeling clay, filling it with all sorts of junk and garbage which somehow created a spark of life and – boom – the land you see here today. After the creation, Ragnarokk created all sorts of different races, from the highly intelligent Mii Fighters to the technology masters Ancients, each one uniquely different. But the most prized possessions of her domain were the ones she called her own 'trophies'. However, while the Master Core side was pleased with her hard work, the Tabuu side felt rather disappointed in her all-knowledge only used on the fun things in life, and she wanted to have order and perfection, therefore planning to create the Great Maze, a world where anyone can have their own rules. Then, yada-yada, Master Core was angry because of this, became powerful enough to split himself from Tabuu and fight against him, and destroyed the Construct God, never to be seen again."

"If the Master Core defeated Tabuu those many years ago," Zelda asked Cloud Strife, "how come he's back?"

"Well, from what I learned so far, they always come back whenever one is defeated," Cloud answered as best as he could.

"So that's why Tabuu stayed alive after all these years," Link said.

"And was also strong enough to prevent the Master Hand from fighting back and binding him in the Chains of Light," Cloud answered.

"You mean the Master Hand was… just a shell-a?" Dr. Mario asked.

"Afraid so," Cloud answered. "I'm probably one of the few fighters right now who has little to no connection with the Subspace Army and is still being hunted down for it. Speaking of which, we're just about here at the village. You can restock and heal up if you like." The fighters noticed they were almost at the village Cloud was talking about and ran up the last hill, which was hardly steep.

"Now, I gotta warn you," Cloud said. "These residents are pretty much animals. Literally. So, whatever you do, don't go hugging them and squeezing them because of how cute they are, and also-" When the other fighters looked around the village, they noticed it was empty, almost like the town was deserted.

"That's strange," Cloud Strife lamented. "The quiet little town of Smashville is awfully, erm, too quiet…" The Prime Ship Group was then looking around, noticing the village looked like ghosts invaded the area. Everything was appearing to have been knocked over and the cabinets were wide open, so it seemed like whoever lived here left in a hurry.

"This town probably has something in the area," Cloud told the others. "If you look around, be very careful, for I have a feeling that whoever or whatever chased these people off is still here." Zelda then wandered off from the group, something catching the princess's eye. She then ran off to what appeared to be a barrel stocked away in a bait shop.

"Hey, guys!" Zelda then called out to the others. "Look who I found!" Walking out of the building, the princess came out with a small figure cuddled in her arms, almost the same height as Toon Link. As she was walking to the others, the figure squirmed out of her arms, falling face-first onto the ground. The fighters then saw what appeared to be a boy with dark brown hair, a red t-shirt with a blue "1" on the front, with dark blue shorts and red sneakers, with big black irises in his eyes and a red triangle nose on his face. In his hands, he was wielding a wood-cutting axe stained with blood.

"Strange how one of the Villagers survived this catastrophe," Cloud said. "From the looks of things, it seemed like he was trying to hide while defending himself. We gotta be careful since whoever attacked should be around here." Villager then slowly stirred up, noticing he was surrounded by new faces. Grabbing his blood-stained axe, he held it by the handle with both hands, signifying the other fighters to back off.

"What's the matter, buddy?" Toon Link asked the scared boy. "You look like something was after you." As Villager tucked the axe into his pocket, he ran towards Zelda, hugging her in fear.

"Don't worry, Villager," Zelda whispered. "Whoever was after you, it's all okay. We've got your back."

"I don't think so," Cloud objected. "If Villager was fighting with that axe, then probably the stranger who's after him might be rather pissed as he has some unfinished business to attend to." Just then, the wind started shifting. The black-red cloud rolled in the sky, pushing against the rather strong gusts. When the other fighters looked up from Villager, they saw another stranger just standing there behind the now-vacant fountain.

"Just as I feared," Cloud said.

"What?" Link asked him. "Who is it?"

"It's the guy I was talking about just earlier," Cloud Strife answered. "I may not remember a whole lot, but I know this guy was a monster back at my homeland. He burned down villages, slaughtered innocent people, and attempted to take my home planet's main force to become powerful."

"You don't mean to tell us he's…" Mario objected.

"That's right," Cloud answered. "Sephiroth, the One-Winged Angel."

"Correct you are, Cloud," the stranger said as he walked out of the shadows, unfurling his only raven-black wing. He was wearing battle garments of black and silver, his long hair covering his face where only his glowing blue eyes pierced the darkness in his face. He was holding his sword in his right hand, which was covered in blood, and his face and clothes were also colored red from the murdering he caused. He had a large gash on his forehead, which he was shrugging off. When Villager saw Sephiroth's face, he hid behind Zelda, cowering behind her long skirt.

"Would you look at that?" Sephiroth said. "The Hero of Gaia stands against me once more."

"I thought I killed you years ago!" Cloud exclaimed.

"Now, now," Sephiroth said. "I don't want to start a fight just yet, considering you have the only survivor in Smashville."

"Survivor?" Dr. Mario asked.

"You should have seen the looks on his old friend's faces" Sephiroth said. "It was a shame, really. You should have been here sooner to witness it." Villager then poked out from behind Zelda's dress, angry over the fact that the one-winged angel killed his friends, but Link blocked him with his Master Sword.

"I knew you would be waiting here," Cloud said. "Now tell us: what is your plan now after noticing those items were missing?"

"The answer was really simple: kill whoever is awakening them," Sephiroth answered. "We know a Smash Ball can only thrive in the body of a fighter who was not even transformed into a trophy for ten years, and have been triggered by the fastest warrior alive. I'm talking about the only fighter who was fast enough, way too fast, faster than the speed of light, to avoid getting hit by the essence of the Off-Waves."

"What do you mean the only fighter who was fast enough to escape a trophy transformation?" Cloud asked. "Everyone knows you're lying, and no one is ever fast enough to avoid their fate." Just then, Mario tapped on Cloud's back, fearing about what's to come.

"Cloud-a," Mario told the 1st-class SOLDIER, "remember when I told you about a certain someone named Sonic the Hedgehog and how he used to constantly travel the cosmos, learning everything about-a us?"

"I distinctly remember," Cloud Strife answered. "Why do you ask?"

"You haven't been seeing some blue blurs once in a while, were you?" Link asked.

"Maybe, maybe not," Cloud said. "Why do you ask?"

"We're probably afraid about these-a... Smash Balls," Mario answered. "After all, if it wasn't for the fact of his super-fast speed, we would have hardly known each other."

"Which means he's the only one who has the first activated Smash Ball and knows the secrets to Tabuu's origin," Sephiroth answered.

"Why do you think you're really telling the truth about all this?" Cloud objected, turning towards the one-winged angel.

"Maybe he's right, for once," Zero Suit Samus said.

"No, I don't believe in any of this," Cloud said. Zelda and Sheik walked up to the 1st-class SOLDIER, next to his side.

"The both of us agree," Zelda answered. "The one-winged angel seems untrustworthy, even though just about everyone knows about Sonic."

"I don't think he's lying this time," Link said to Cloud.

"What does he know about the Subspace Army!?" Cloud exclaimed.

"Now, now," Sephiroth objected. "Being the first in command is rather tough, but I can assure you everyone gives me a straight answer on where to find the blue rodent. Only then will I be able to spare your lives, even though one of the survivors already hit me hard with his axe." When Villager heard about this, he stepped up, clenching his stubby fists.

"I know you're lying," Cloud said. "You're going to kill us, track down where their friend is, drag the Smash Ball out of his body, and use it to create a Subspace Bomb, where you can grab more Smash Balls and recreate the Great Maze once again. Do you really think we would give up one of our friends for 'the greater good'? What good do you even have?"

"Enough, Cloud!" Sephiroth exclaimed. "You really think I'm going to kill you like you were no use to me? You have the Master Core's origin, and the little blue rat has Tabuu's. I'm going to kill whoever's in my path, and nothing will stop me." The one-winged angel then flew high into the air, spreading his only wing wide open. The fighters then looked up, ready to fight.

"I guess it's somehow in your blood," Sephiroth said. "All you want to do is fight and fight alone, not even caring who or what you face. Luckily, there are many ways to skin a wolf." Sephiroth then rushed towards Cloud, pushing the 1st-class SOLDIER so far back his feet sank into the ground. The one-winged angel's sword was grinding against his Buster Sword, jabbing abruptly so much sparks flew out. When the other fighters rushed towards him, Cloud then held the blade with both of his hands and started charging his Limit Break. His body then was giving off a blue glow, and he used his Cross Slash move on Sephiroth, making the gash on the one-winged angel's forehead to grow even larger and launching him into a nearby house. Once Sephiroth climbed out of the rubble, he saw Link and Mario running towards him.

"You really think your friends will save you, Cloud?" Sephiroth said. "Pathetic." Generating black lightning from his hands, the one-winged angel split a path between the two fighters and caused them to jump out of the way. Sephiroth then teleported right in front of Cloud Strife, clashing swords against him. Cloud was still trying to block the fast thrusts, but Sephiroth grabbed a Black Materia and started glowing dark green-blue. With a mighty slash, the one-winged angel cut deep through Cloud's skin, causing the 1st-class SOLDIER to fall over himself. Link ran over to Cloud's side, concerned about his health.

"Cloud, you okay?" Link asked him.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Cloud answered. "I've gotten used to these deadly wounds by now." As Link watched underneath the torn clothing, he saw the gash was quickly mending itself, the blood drying up into a smaller, brown clot. Sephiroth then stepped in again, still giving off that dark green-blue hue. He unsheathed his long sword once again, sweat and dirt rolling down his silver locks. Link stepped in to defend Cloud as he stitched his clothes together, blocking the one-winged angel's attacks with his Hylian Shield. The reflective metal on Link's Master Sword gleamed as it clashed with the rusted and dull Masamune of Sephiroth's.

"I won't let you lay a hand on Cloud!" Link yelled. "You're not touching a single one of our friends!"

"Then you're a weak coward!" Sephiroth said.

"You don't know anything about us!" Link objected, still clanging swords with his opponent. Link then used his grappling hook, its claws slashing through Sephiroth's wing and dragging him down to meet with the Master Sword's blade. Link then followed with a strong kick, but Sephiroth quickly got off the ground to continue the fight. Toon Link and Villager then started running towards him despite the fact that he would kill anyone in his path whether adult or child of any gender. When the one-winged angel saw the two fighters dashing towards him, he launched powerful Black Materia at them, each one leading into short-fused blasts. Toon Link blocked the explosions with his shield while Villager pocketed them and flung them back at Sephiroth and obstructing his view. Just then, Samus and Zero Suit Samus jumped in, grabbing their guns and blasted lasers and bombs at him. Zero Suit Samus then used her Plasma Whip and lashed on Sephiroth's face, giving him a burning blister on his right upper eyelid. Samus then kicked him from behind but was hit so hard by his wing that she flew into another house, the impact demolishing the small place. Once Sephiroth teleported into the air again, he used his Jenova move, slowing down the other fighters for a short period of time. During the delay of Jenova, he then targeted Sheik launching herself at him, using Shadow Flare on her. The gravitational force drew the Sheikah survivor in before finishing with a brief explosion that launched her towards Dr. Mario. Zelda jumped into the air too and used her Nayru's Love move to reflect Sephiroth's next Shadow Flare, launching him towards the ground, where all the other fighters were waiting for him.

When the one-winged angel got up again, his grabbed his Masamune katana blade, ready to strike them with his ultimate power – the Octoslash. Glowing similar to Cloud when he used his Limit Break, the one-winged angel quickly dashed at the other fighters. They dodged out of the way just in time when Sephiroth was creating a blade tornado out of his move. Everyone then saw Cloud was clenching his stomach.

"Cloud, are you all right-a?" Mario asked. Cloud Strife was groaning in pain as he was suddenly giving off a rainbow hue. Once Cloud got up, he slowly opened his eyes, revealing what appeared to be golden irises.

"…Cloud?" Link asked him. Sephiroth then looked down to see Cloud Strife's golden eyes, looking at the gleam which flowed around the fighter's irises before leading into a cross off-center.

"Impossible!" Sephiroth said. The 1st-class SOLDIER then jumped high into the air, his eyes now glowing white, dashing towards Sephiroth with a series of slashes – the Omnislash. Locking the one-winged angel in a death stroke, Cloud used multi-elemental blades of light before following down with a mighty explosion which demolished the entire village of Smashville. Sephiroth was slammed into the ground by the blast, his body weak from the damage he was given. After the one-winged angel got up, he saw that he was defeated by the Prime Ship Group.

"Don't think you've seen the last of us," Sephiroth told Cloud Strife and the others. "The amnesia effect of the trophy transformation is wearing off, so don't get too carried away with some of your newfound memories." Just like that, the one-winged angel flew into the air, warping out of the abandoned town. A small stance of silence hovered the area, leaving the fighters in utter darkness.

"What did he mean… the amnesia effect was wearing off?" Mario asked.

"Who knows?" Zero Suit Samus answered. "Ten years have passed ever since any of us ever transformed into a trophy, so there might have been a high chance some of our memories are returning."

"But Cloud is the only one we saw so far who was somehow affected by one of these... reawakened Smash Balls, according to Sephiroth," Link objected. "And not including Sonic, Cloud could probably be the only other one out of the group who has made any encounter with the Master Hand…"

"Therefore leading to Cloud being able to harness the Smash Ball's power," Zelda said.

"Do you remember anything from your homeland, Cloud?" Sheik asked the 1st-class SOLDIER. Cloud's memory was a little hazy at first, but it was at least enough to make sense of what was going on.

"I... am trying to remember a little bit," Cloud answered. "I was an ex-mercenary who joined Avalanche, and the Buster Sword you see here was given to me by a friend named Zack Fair. I think I know a little bit more, but we'll have to wait until the right time for me to tell you. I'm going to look for a vehicle I stowed away with me I understand is of best use right now."

"Go ahead-a, Cloud," Dr. Mario said. The 1st-class SOLDIER then walked to one of the surviving houses while the other fighters sat down to rest.

"What about the little guy we picked up?" Zelda asked, pointing to Villager. "His friends are probably dead by now, and his hometown is no longer a safe place to live. Where do you think he'll stay?"

"He'll just have to go with us," Link answered.

"And about Cloud's encounter with the Master Core?" Mario asked. "I thought those that weren't even transformed into a trophy can share a body with the essence of a Smash Ball. I didn't know that it applied to fighters who were already transformed and are somehow making physical contact with the Master Hand."

"I think the Master Hand works in weird, mysterious ways," Link answered. "It's probably as though he wants all of this to happen…" Just then, Cloud Strife walked out with what appeared to be a motorcycle. The vehicle itself was coated in black with strands of gold, and the bronze engine was exposing itself through the shell.

"This baby is what I call the Fenrir," Cloud said to the other fighters. "Named after the Wolf Titan in Jarnvior, it is what I use to signify others of my bravery."

"So, what's the game plan here?" Link asked.

"We're going to have to split up," Cloud answered.

"Split up?" Zero Suit Samus objected. "Are you crazy? We've been looking for our friends in this uncharted territory ever since we crash-landed!"

"Hear me out, please," Cloud said. "The few of us are going to have to take this motorcycle while everyone else goes on without us."

"Where do you think you'll be driving us?" Zelda asked.

"We're going to look for one of these hidden Subspace lairs I heard is popping up frequently around here," Cloud answered. "We'll be searching for answers about the enemies' contact with Tabuu. Everyone else will have to go with Villager and look for your friends. You'll all have to look out for each other while we're gone."

"I'll be going with you," Link answered.

"So will I," Mario said.

"As for me," Zelda said.

"Whatever it takes to forgive those who weren't blamed for all of this," Zero Suit Samus said.

The replicates were then left with Villager to look for their friends as the other fighters got onto the Fenrir with Cloud Strife driving. Once the engine started revving, Cloud looked at the other fighters and said, "I know you guys are good deep inside, and you know that too. The effects of that Dark Cannon may have scarred you, but you'll grow out of it and fight for the safety of this world. Promise you'll look for our friends and tell us they're at least safe. Let's go, everyone. We've got some bad guys to catch." Cloud with Mario, Link, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus then drove off on the Fenrir down the flat mountainside, leaving Villager with Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Sheik, and Samus to keep going down south to look for the others.


At the now-desolated Ruins of the Ancients, the only gateway to Subspace was generating the black-red cloud, with the Winged Firestorms flying around the area. Shadow Bugs were constantly raining from the sky, creating the deformed Primids and other minor Subspace Army members. Deep in the gateway of Subspace, a world which looked similar to Arcadia thrived, except it seemed like it was just created thousands of years ago. More creatures made from Shadow Bugs thrived, and in the center of the land was a lake reflecting the faint, blue light like mercury, and in the center of it all was what appeared to be the Judgement Fortress, a black opal abomination of a castle with a green, vertically-slit pupiled eye on the side with a glowing rainbow orb on the top. Deep in the fortress, all sorts of villains and enemies alike were living inside the walls, and Sephiroth managed to seek refuge in there. The one-winged angel was watching the Shadow Bugs drag in the remains of the Winged Firestorm Pro into the throne room, which was in the rooftop of the fortress's orb. The purple entities then surrounded themselves around the golden-scarred, blue-coated dragon, breathing life back into it's metallic body. The monster's eyes then started flashing again, unfurling its wings to reveal scars mended together by the Shadow Bugs all over itself before walking off to take flight into the skies once again.

"It's almost time to create the perfect world, Tabuu," Sephiroth said. "All we need is to make sure every single fighter is here as prisoners, and then we can rebuild the Great Maze once more." Just then, Morpho Knight, M. Bison, and Shadow Mewtwo warped in the room. When Sephiroth sensed they were coming, he turned toward the three generals.

"So you finally made it," Sephiroth said to them. "I was worried you weren't even going to return from your missions. So tell me, have you found that infamous hedgehog yet?"

"No, but some of our soldiers turned our backs against us," Morpho Knight answered.

"Especially those that needed to serve in order to spare their kind," M. Bison said.

"I gave you strict orders to find the blue rat, and all I got were betrayal messages," Sephiroth told the others as he walked towards them. "As if they were anything important!"

"I did find who we are looking for," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized. The one-winged angel walked toward the legendary Pokémon, anxious about their possible victory.

"However, some of his new companions were in the way," Shadow Mewtwo objected. "They were all powerful, but Sonic had the only visible Smash Ball which made him even stronger."

"You know very well you would never let his friends stop you from your goal," Sephiroth said in anger. "My encounter with Cloud is one of the many proofs that the trophy effect is returning some of their memories, making sure that more of the Smash Balls are stirring from their dormant sleep."

"Maybe that's the reason why," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in answer. "The reason why the Subspace Army was defeated in the first place. The reason why I was kidnapped to be the parent of Shadow Bugs." Sephiroth looked at him in confusion, suddenly remembering that he's fighting back against his restrains.

"You will never win," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized. Out of anger, Sephiroth then punched the Pokémon in the face. The one-winged angel then unsheathed his long sword and grabbed Shadow Mewtwo by the neck. He was about to stab him until the Mii Fighters walked into the room.

"Put. Him. Down." That was what the Sword Ultimate said to Sephiroth. When the one-winged angel heard the order, he threw Shadow Mewtwo to the ground, forcing the Pokémon to start heavily panting.

"His memories are returning," Sephiroth told the Ultimates. "Any moment now, he'll cast away the Shadow Bugs who possessed his body, and the Subspace Army will slowly be wiped out to extinction."

"Then make sure he stays alive and prevent him from losing that crystal on his left shoulder," the Gunner Ultimate said. "It may not be as powerful as a normal Shadow Synergy Stone, but it's the only thing we need to keep these monsters thriving." Two Mii Brawlers then grabbed violet-glowing rope, lassoing Shadow Mewtwo in place. Placed under bondage, the magic rope prevented Shadow Mewtwo from warping out as a Mii Gunner walked up to him, holding what looked like a special taser coated a dark gray. Once the black sparks touched the crystal on his left arm, Shadow Mewtwo was crying in pain, violet veins glowing through his black body where the Shadow Synergy Stone was emitting the brightest. After Shadow Mewtwo shed his tears of agony, he then fell unconscious, when the Mii Fighters then untied him and dragged him away.

"There are some things you don't know about this world, Sephiroth," the Brawler Ultimate said. "Even if you are first in command of the Subspace Army, WE are in charge of creating the world Tabuu planned."

"But do you even know why you're serving him? Is it out of pity you're doing this?" Sephiroth asked the three Ultimates. Slightly offended by that question, the three commanders then walked off without answering, leaving the Mii Fighters in the room. Sephiroth then looked at the end of the throne room, where he came across a small crystal ball sitting on an ebony pillar. Blue light was swarming around behind the glass, reflecting the walls off like water.

"The day of Arcadia's end is upon us," Sephiroth said. "All we need to do is make sure that the fighters of this world never realize they're already ahold of the Smash Balls."

"Then go out and send your best soldiers," the voice from inside said to the one-winged angel. It sounded almost like Tabuu's voice, keeping himself hidden behind the foggy glass with only his wings shining through.

"This Great Maze needs to be completed in time before the seraphim arrive," Tabuu's voice continued. "They will do whatever it takes to keep myself separated from... her..." Just then, two strange figures in the darkness walked in behind Sephiroth.

"Sephiroth," one of the figures said, his voice sounding deep and slightly robotic. "The prisoners you ordered to bring in?"

"Yes?" Sephiroth asked. "What about them? This better not be any bad news."

"Sorry to tell you this, but they're bad," the other figure spoke out, his voice sounding a little hoarse as he leaned forward in what appeared to be his transportation vehicle. "They escaped. Every single one of them."

"WHAT!?" Sephiroth yelled, unsheathing his katana. Some of the Mii Fighters in the room were scared of the outburst coming from the one-winged angel that they backed away from the area.

"Despite how crazy this sounds, the fighters we managed to capture somehow escaped when we were least expecting it," the stranger with a strange red gem attached to his chest said. "They burned one of the outside prison buildings, and the Ultimates are severely wounded. I just hope their offspring hear about this in time..."

"Then don't just stand there," Sephiroth commanded. "Dead or alive, go after the fighters and bring them all here!"

"Yes, Sephiroth," the stranger with the red gem responded. Once he teleported out of the throne room, the only other figure with the transportation vehicle stayed behind.

"But, what about me?" the kid asked. Sephiroth then walked up to him, putting away his katana blade.

"You're pretty much too young to go on a journey this dangerous," Sephiroth answered.

"No, I'm not!" the boy complained. "I polluted islands and helped my dad take over galaxies!"

"Yes, I know that," Sephiroth answered. "Until you can see you papa again, you'll have to stay behind. In the meantime, why don't you go and have a little fun?"

"What kind of fun?" the kid asked, his face still in the shadows.

"You know about the Comet Observatory, right?" Sephiroth asked. "Why don't you take one of the Winged Firestorms and shoot it down? Once you do that, you can meet up with the Subspace Army in Civiltatula. Would you do that for your father?"

"You know me," the kid cackled like a little imp. "Of course I will…" The figure then drove off in his transportation vehicle, leaving Sephiroth in the room all alone. The one-winged angel took a good look at a few Mii Fighters who were doing experiments on a female Mii Brawler. One of the Miis poured some strange liquid down her throat, which she coughed out once the entire vial was empty. She started making noises from her mouth, which was unheard before, and the Mii Fighters surrounding her were happy of a mission accomplished.

"More Mii Fighters are getting their voices back from a recent antidote," Sephiroth told himself. "Wonder if they have retained their memories of Arcus..."

Chapter 11: The Death of the Ultimates

Summary:

Snake and his group are alive, and they had just escaped from their prison cells... at the price of the Ultimates themselves.

Chapter Text

*hours ago

Darkness.

That was all that Snake saw as he was adjusting his eyesight. As he was looking around, his vision was becoming a little less blurry. Opening his eyes a little bit more, the soldier noticed he was resting on a hard prison bed, which was creaking the more the springs supported his weight. The room was a dark gray, and the only florescent light was flickering. When Snake tried to get up and look around, he noticed that his hands couldn't move.

"…The hell…?" Snake mumbled to himself when he felt like his arms were aching. Then, as he looked down onto his chest, he noticed his hands were tied behind his back. He was under hostage.

"Great," Snake groaned. "I'm stuck as a prisoner for who knows how long…" Just then, the only steel door in the room started to open. Sephiroth then walked in to greet his new guest.

"Why, if it isn't the mercenary of the Big Boss," the one-winged angel chuckled. "How are you enjoying your hospitality?"

"Well, I'd enjoy it a little bit more if you release me from these bondages," Snake answered.

"There is a good reason why we decided to keep you like this," Sephiroth said. "To prevent people like you escaping."

"You think something like this would stop me?" Snake answered. Just then, out of annoyance, the one-winged angel grabbed the soldier by the neck, his glowing blue eyes glaring madly at him.

"You wanna get some sleep, buddy?" Snake teased. "You don't look so good after all this bloodshed…"

"Any moment now," Sephiroth objected, "we'll be taking all of you into Tabuu's lair, where you will serve him for all eternity. And do you DARE think insults will anger me more?"

"…Maybe," Snake smirked. Just like that, Sephiroth grabbed a leash and collar and clipped it around Snake's neck, linking him to the bed post. Then, the one-winged angel took out a gag and placed it in Snake's mouth.

"This'll shut you up for a while," Sephiroth said as Snake was struggling with the bondages, his muffles slightly muted. Afterwards, Sephiroth warped out of the room, slamming the door in front of Snake.

Struggling with the tight ropes, Snake started to sneak into one of the back pockets behind his belt. As his hands were adjusting to the bondages, the soldier pulled out a swiss army knife, switching into the blade and rubbing it against the ropes.

First rule if you're ever going to capture someone, Snake thought, always empty their pockets first. Smiling underneath the gag, he managed to remove the ropes off his hands. He then started to cut off the ropes surrounding his upper arms, clip off the collar around his neck, and strip off his gag. After massaging his hands, Snake put the knife back in his pocket, looking around the room for a way out.

"Why do I even need this thing…?" Snake mumbled to himself as he removed the eyepatch and tossed it onto the stone-cold floor. As he looked on the ceiling next to the flickering light, he saw the vent was big enough for him to squeeze through and crawl his way out of here. Snake then jumped off the hard prison bed, knocking the nails out of the vent and opening a hole. Once the soldier was at the right altitude and launch, he climbed in, crawling out of here. Once he felt like he was at the right spot out of the room, he grabbed his GPS, trying to get a good view on how to get out of this prison. Once he came across another vent, he kicked it down and jumped through. Before he knew it, he was out of his cell and in the hallway.

"The rest of my buddies have got to be here somewhere," Snake said to himself. He then started walking down the hallway, checking through all the windows and attempting to save whoever's trapped. However, as he was busting down the doors, Snake saw that all the prisoners that were in here before all died of either starvation, thirst, torture, loneliness, insanity, suicide from hopelessness, or all at once.

Gee, Snake thought. I hope none of my friends don't go through those scenarios… Once Snake busted down another door, he saw Popo and Nana – the Ice Climbers – sitting in the only large stool in the room, chained back-to-back with cold-proof links, each bouncing small ice balls as their only entertainment. Just then, they heard a loud snap, and the chains that held them in placed loosened. Once they looked towards the door, they saw Snake freed them from their prison, holding thick pliers in his hands.

"Thought you could use a little help," Snake said.

"What about Red and the two Pokémon?" Nana asked.

"And Wolf?" Popo chimed in.

"We'll be rescuing the rest of the gang soon enough, don't you worry," Snake answered. The soldier and the Ice Climbers then ran out of the room, trying to look for the rest of the hostages. Just then, the fighters heard the Pokémon Trainer's voice, almost as if he's crying for help.

"That almost sounds like…" Popo muttered.

"Come on, kids," Snake interrupted. "Who's up for a rescue mission?"

The small group ran towards the direction the cries for help were calling from, and they managed to find him just in time. There, Snake and the Ice Climbers saw the Pokémon Trainer cuffed in shackles with his hands in front of his chest, being pushed around by the mutant Primids holding cattle prods, with Ivysaur and Squirtle trapped in special element-proof containers carried by the cowardly Poppants.

"Please," Red cried. "Don't hurt my Pokémon! They're all I have!" The Primids kept zapping him anyway, while the Poppants were becoming more afraid of the torturing and starting to run away with Ivysaur and Squirtle. Just then, Snake and the Ice Climbers jumped in, delivering deadly punches and kicks along with icy hammer swings, knocking out all the Primids in the room. Popo and Nana used their ice powers to break off the shackles on Red. Snake then noticed the Poppants running off from the fight and used his bazooka, killing the fearful monsters. The blast was enough to make the containers roll towards the fighters. The Pokémon Trainer then opened the containers with the press of a button, and Ivysaur and Squirtle jumped out. Red then grabbed his Pokéballs, and the two Pokémon were drawn inside before they shrank down into his pocket.

"Where's Wolf, by the way?" Snake asked Red. "Have you seen him?"

"Of course, I have," Red answered. "I saw him carried of by the Mii Fighters down the dark side of the prison. We gotta go rescue him!" The accompanied fighters then ran off to where they heard painful howls.

Dragged on a leash and muzzled, the Mii Fighters were dragging Wolf O' Donnell into some sort of electric cage. As he was growling in anger, he was cussing a lot at the peculiar-looking warriors, struggling to break free. Just then, Ivysaur started unleashing some sort of sleeping powder behind them that put the Mii Fighters into a deep sleep. When Wolf noticed what's happening, he held his breath until the air cleared. The recruited team then ran towards him, detaching his muzzle and leash. Once the anamorphic pilot got up, he brushed off whatever dust he had on him.

"I could have done it myself, thank you," Wolf resounded.

"You were in pain," Snake answered. "We had to do something."

"Why not just kill the bastards as usual?" Wolf objected.

"There's something we haven't figured out about the Mii Fighters," Snake answered. "Until then, we're trying our best to not kill every Mii Fighter we come across." Suddenly, the fighters heard more cries of pain from deep down in the prison.

"Sounds like someone's here with us," Red said.

"Then let's go and rescue whoever needs our help," Snake answered. The fighters then ran off towards the screams of agony, where they found the three Ultimates in front of a small group of Mii Fighters dressed in black with a white "M" on their chests. In front of them were two devices: one that looked like a capsule with a strange, small creature generating electricity from the inside which looked like Pikachu but different; the other was some sort of table with a young boy in a green tunic and dirty blond hair with a steel sword and a wooden shield that closely resembled Link attached to it.

"Now, I'm sure many of you are familiar with the matter at hand," the Brawler Ultimate spoke. "These two particular fighters are rather special."

"AS you can see," the Gunner Ultimate spoke, petting the container with the small creature, "we used to have two generators with these kinds of cuties scattered over Arcadia so we can generate power for the Subspace Army in two locations at once. The moment we lost power from one of the creatures, the moment we thought all hope was lost, until we discovered this thing is so strong with electrical charges that it can even hurt itself. For a short test of how much, we'll be testing it on this young boy here…" The kid was squirming with the cuffs, trying to break loose.

"When we used the last Dark Cannon," the Swordfighter Ultimate said, "we were expecting it to create more than one kind of replica. Turns out we were right the moment we abducted him out of sight."

"You monsters!" the boy yelled while trying to bust off the table. "Someone will look for me, and you'll be in big trouble!"

"The only problem was it hopefully worked for one of the clones, but definitely not for the other," the Gunner Ultimate replied. "Which is why we were hoping the young Pokémon's electricity could power up the table to make the young boy more powerful than any other kid in this land and one of us." Snake and the others were hiding during the conversation, hearing everything.

"Geez," Snake whispered, "every word they said does not sound good…"

"We gotta find a way to free them, and fast," Wolf responded as quietly as he could.

"We're going to have to distract them and free the two prisoners," Snake answered. "Now, Red will bring out Ivysaur and Squirtle and make them fire at the Mii Fighters. Meanwhile, Wolf and the Ice Climbers are going to-"

"Over there!" the Brawler Ultimate exclaimed, suddenly noticing the fighters in their hiding spots. The Mii Fighters readied their stances, locking onto the small group.

"Or we could just use Plan B," Snake scoffed, readying his rocket launcher and firing at the enemies. There was a huge blast, and both the Ultimates and the Mii Fighters went off flying. Once the smoke cleared, the fighters ran towards the captives. Wolf clawed through the glass on the container, breaking the tiny mouse-like creature free. Meanwhile, Squirtle and Ivysaur were helping Snake pick at the cuffs that kept the young boy held in place. After the two prisoners were free, they noticed they were looking at some new faces.

"…Pichu?" Red said in question as the small Pokémon bounced in joy.

"Thanks for saving us, guys," the young boy said. "We didn't get the chance to use our new abilities, I think…"

"Don't mention it, kid," Snake responded. "By the way, you have a name?"

"Link…" the boy responded.

"Link, huh?" Wolf said. "Well, we already have one Link back in Arcadia, but you kinda look like the younger self of him."

"Why don't we just call you 'Young Link'?" Popo asked.

"I really haven't met this other Link yet, but since you like that name so much I guess it's okay," Young Link answered. "By the way, do you know where we are?"

"Yeah," the Pokémon Trainer answered. "We're somewhere in a prison just outside the gateways to Subspace. Our original goal was to study the last Subspace Bomb further and learn more about Tabuu, but apparently, we're their captives. Now, we're planning to reunite with Charizard, Lucas, and all of our other friends."

"Do you mind if we join you?" Young Link asked while Pichu bounced in glee. "We've been waiting for a way out of here." Just then, the three Ultimates walked in, their cloaks covered in soot and small flames surrounding their cloaks.

"Where do you think you're going?" the Gunner Ultimate asked.

"We're getting out of here," Snake answered. "Somewhere where you will never reach us."

"I think that can be arranged," the Swordfighter Ultimate objected before pulling out his sword from his right shoulder. He then started rushing towards Snake as his first target, but Wolf O' Donnell jumped in the way as sacrifice. Once the Swordfighter Ultimate noticed he didn't hit Snake, he looked down on the ground to look at WHO he hit. There, the fighters and the Ultimates saw Wolf clenching his left eye, a small gush of blood leaking out and dripping onto his knuckles.

"…My eye… Ow… My eye…" Wolf moaned. When the other fighters ran towards him for comfort, they were shocked when they saw a nasty, vertical slash on Wolf's left eye, the scar now red all over as what remained now became a blank white stained pink. The anamorphic pilot was trying to get up, but the pain that permanently blinded his eye was far too great. After the other fighters started carrying him, the Ultimates were ready for another strike and called in more of the Fighting Mii Team.

"The prisoners are getting away!" the Gunner Ultimate ordered. "Get them!" Once the Mii Fighters were catching up to the fleeing prisoners who had a limping fighter slowly losing blood, Snake and the Ice Climbers started firing bullets and ice crystals from their weapons, killing some of the enemies. When the fighters felt like they lost the Fighting Mii Team down the long hallway towards the exit, Wolf started crawling into a corner comforted by Pichu. Snake then pulled out a spare eyepatch he kept in his pocket and a small melder powered by electricity, pinning Wolf in place.

"I need you to hold his muzzle," Snake said to Young Link. "This is going to hurt a bit, Wolf, so you have to keep as quiet as you can. Okay?" Wolf nodded. Then, Snake carefully placed the eyepatch on Wolf's critically damaged eye, which was losing more blood through each passing second, and started zapping it with the electricity melder in hopes the eyepatch would fuse to the skin and prevent the blood from escaping. It was getting painful for Wolf, but he tried holding in his howls as his muzzle was clamped shut. The Pokémon Trainer suddenly noticed the Mii Fighters were hearing the muffled cries and figured out where they're heading next.

"Are you done yet?" Nana asked Snake.

"Almost," Snake answered. "Repairing wounds takes time, and I learned it the hard way from the military. Almost done, and… there. Good as new." Once Snake put the melder back in his pocket, Wolf suddenly felt that the pain was gone, and replaced with his left eye was a black patch and two long pieces covering the scar. After Wolf got up, he started firing his blaster at the incoming Mii Fighters while running towards the exit with the others. Once they were outside the door, they looked around, noticing the Ruins of the Ancients was now left in complete chaos: where the black-red cloud covering all of Arcadia was at its darkest, where what remained of a great past civilization was now left in rubble, and Winged Firestorms dominated the skies. In front of the exit were a series of fighter jets, laid in perfect formation.

"Okay, guys," Snake told everyone in the group, "I'm gonna be blowing up every jet in the area except for the one we are taking. Once Wolf starts up the engine, we make a run for it." After the fighters all picked a certain jet, Snake started laying a C4 on each other jet, making sure he got every one of them. Once he was done sticking the bomb onto the last one, he started running towards the fighters, but suddenly felt a sharp blast on the side of his stomach. Snake was clenching his side, noticing he was scraped with a small burn from what felt like a plasma blast. Looking towards the exit, the fighters saw the three Ultimates waiting for them, the orange-armed fighter with the arm cannon reloading her ammo.

"Give it up already!" the Brawler Ultimate ordered. "It's game over for you. For all of you."

"Tabuu and his servants have heard the news of the Smash Ball and are willing to find and kill whoever has the only visible one, or else more will appear out of nowhere and damn us all!" the Swordfighter Ultimate said. "We have constructed a special type of machine that can read the long-lost memories of a trophy. With that thing, we can use it on any fighter to know the secrets of their past, especially the treasures they're possessed by. All we have to is find the fastest thing alive, for we've understood the tales of his escape from the Master Hand, and I'm pretty sure you've figured out about the Smash Ball thriving in the bodies of fighters who have never been transformed…"

"Looks like they're onto Sonic the Hedgehog," Red told the group.

"And I thought they mentioned dragging them out of our dead bodies, with the only visible one slowly bringing the others into the light," Popo replied.

"Then we gotta get out of here, and fast!" Young Link exclaimed. The Ultimates then started walking towards the fighters as they were getting into the jet and starting it up.

"What the hell are you waiting for!?" Wolf yelled as the Ultimates then started picking up the pace and running. "Press the damn button already, Snake!" Once the soldier saw the jet was hovering off the ground, he pressed the trigger, and the C4's all went off. The Ultimates were caught in the blast, and the jet was powerful enough to hold itself in place until the explosion cleared. When the smoke was departing, the fighters saw the cloaks the Ultimates were wearing burned off, along with their thought translators, revealing them to be Mii Fighters themselves. For the Brawler Ultimate, he had a red body color with black hair with short tuffs sticking out on the right side of his head, black eyes, and black eyebrows. The Swordfighter Ultimate had a dark-blue body color with blond hair that parted in half, blue eyes, and golden eyebrows. As for the Gunner Ultimate, she had an orange body color with brown-ginger hair that seemed to split at the center of the head, black eyes with long eyelashes, and brown-ginger eyebrows.

"Looks like we're going to be having a fight, are we?" Snake smirked. The Pokémon Trainer on top of the jet then sent out Ivysaur and Squirtle, with Wolf, Pichu, Young Link, and the Ice Climbers walking to their side. The three Ultimates Revealed then rushed towards the fighters, with the Brawler unleashing a heavy shot put, the Swordfighter releasing a small tornado, and the Gunner shooting plasma blasts. Wolf and Snake jumped out of the way, firing their all at the approaching Ultimates Revealed. The Brawler then lunged himself towards Pichu, but the tiny Pokémon zipped out of the way just in time. Pichu then started charging up his electric attacks, electrocuting both the Ultimate Revealed and himself. Nana was cornered by the Swordfighter, using her ice powers to freeze him in place. Then, Popo came from behind and started whacking the Ultimate Revealed from behind with his hammer. Young Link was trying to block the Gunner's missiles and charge shots with his Deku Shield. When the Ultimate Revealed left an opening, the Hylian kid then unleashed his flurry of attacks from his Kokiri Sword, launching her towards Squirtle as he crawled into his shell and flung himself, knocking her back. Ivysaur used his vines and wrapped the three Ultimates Revealed, strangling them in place, as Snake started launching his bombs at the Ultimates Revealed.

Now scarred and bruised, the Ultimates Revealed were slowly trying to get up as the prison was now set up in flames from the explosion by the jets. With their last ounce of strength, the Ultimates Revealed were running towards the fighters who were now heading to the remaining jet and put Ivysaur + Squirtle, Popo + Nana, and Pichu in a headlock. With looks on their faces threatening the other fighters to back off, Red then called back his Pokémon with the Pokéballs. Pichu and the Ice Climbers then squirmed out of the Mii Fighters' grasps, pushing the weak enemies aside and heading back to the jet. Once the Ultimates Revealed saw the fighters were getting away, they watched as the jet was ready to depart. They were just about ready to run towards and kill the last fighters on the ground but were suddenly critically attacked themselves – Wolf at the Brawler, in which the anamorphic pilot used his claws and fangs and started mauling the Ultimate Revealed; Young Link at the Swordfighter, when he used his Kokiri Sword and stabbed the Ultimate Revealed in the stomach; Snake at the Gunner, after he fired his gun at the Ultimate Revealed's chest.

"You don't know who you're messing with," Snake said to the now-dying Ultimates Revealed. "We are the Super Smash Brothers." Snake, Wolf, and Young Link then jumped onto the jet, where Red with his hidden Pokémon, Nana + Popo, and Pichu were waiting for them. After the fighters flew off in the jet, avoiding all contact with the Winged Firestorms, the Mii Fighters from before were running to the takeoff pad only to find the Ultimates were badly wounded. With terrified looks on their faces, the warriors then started carrying their leaders away from the burning fire as the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 flew in and carried the Mii Fighters and the Ultimates into the gateway of Subspace.

*hours later

Sephiroth was in the technology room where they kept whatever technology remained of the Ancients, watching as the mutated Primids were building a new contraption for creating the Great Maze again. As he was looking at the busy monsters, a small, female Mii Brawler walked in with a sad look on her face. Of course, the Mii Fighters couldn't say anything for somehow being autistic.

"What is it this time?" Sephiroth asked. The Mii Fighter took out a notepad and pencil and started writing. When she was done, she presented it to the one-winged angel, and the notepad read, "It's about the Ultimates. They're passing away. It's crucial you tell this to their children at once urgently."

"Ah, yes," Sephiroth said. "The sons and daughter of the Ultimates. I'll tell them right away." The one-winged angel warped out of the room, leaving raven-black feathers in his trace.

Just outside the Judgement Fortress, three Mii Fighters were sitting next to the mercury lake, admiring their reflections. They were the children of the Ultimates. The Mii Brawler was the son of the Brawler Ultimate, and he had a red uniform, light-tan skin with long black hair, a slightly angled-down mouth, and eyes and eyebrows black and close together. The Mii Swordfighter was the Swordfighter Ultimate's only child, and he had a dark-blue uniform, light skin with short blond hair waving into little tuffs in different angles, blue eyes, and blond eyebrows. The Mii Gunner was the Gunner Ultimate's daughter, having a yellow uniform, light skin with long, dark yellow hair, hazel eyes with a small, round nose and a slightly angled-up mouth with a small, visible lower lip shape, and dark yellow eyebrows.

"This world is so beautiful," the Mii Brawler said. "Too bad Arcadia is not as bright and vivid as this. What a shame…"

"This world is supposed to look like Arcadia thousands of years ago," the Mii Gunner answered. "Tabuu said it just doesn't feel the same without something from the Master Core's world, so he hopes on finding the Smash Ball and recreating the Great Maze again."

"Man, wish we could go out and look for those who have been affected by the blue blur himself," the Mii Swordfighter rebutted.

"Mii Swordfighter," the Mii Gunner objected, "Mommy told me that I'm not ready. I'm quite positive the Mii Brawler's dad said the same thing to him when he was growing up, and I think your father has told you so as well. When they see we're capable of defending ourselves, then there's a high chance we'll survive in the dangers of Arcadia. I mean, we've traveled across both worlds most of the time we spent with the Ultimates, our parents…"

"Guys," the Mii Brawler said to the other two Mii Fighters. "Sephiroth's coming." As the one-winged angel walked towards the three young warriors, he had a look of bad news on his face.

"I'm afraid I have to tell you pranksters something important," Sephiroth told the Mii Fighters. "It's about each of your single parents. Hours ago, they were wounded by the prisoners who escaped earlier."

"How bad is it?" the Mii Brawler asked, each one of the Mii Fighters scared.

"Critical," Sephiroth answered. "There's no chance they'll survive…" Noticing the endangerment of the Ultimates, the Mii Fighters ran into the Judgement Fortress, worried, with Sephiroth walking behind them. Heading into the Judgement Fortress's hospital room deep underneath the mercury lake, the Mii Fighters with Sephiroth saw their parents in medical beds, each one of them with burns and deadly wounds.

Shocked by how the Ultimates looked, the Mii Fighters ran towards their fathers and mother, all of their followers terribly sad. Shadow Mewtwo warped in, alarmed by the news, followed by M. Bison and Morpho Knight. The stranger in the shadows was also in the same room, the red gem on his chest the only thing visible in the dark. The Mii Fighters went to their parents, holding their weak hands.

"How did this happen?" Sephiroth asked the Brawler Ultimate Revealed. Slowly turning his head, the Mii Fighter tried saying something, but remembered that they had no voices and the thought translator was the only thing they communicated with. So, through sign language, the Brawler Ultimate Revealed told the Subspace Army bosses about how the attack happened.

"They'll pay for this," the Mii Brawler wept. "You can't leave us like this…"

"We're not ready to serve Tabuu," the Mii Swordfighter replied. "This is a big burden we have to carry… Please, you can't go…"

"How could anyone ever let this happen?" the Mii Gunner said. "We're too young to become rulers of a nation…" The three children of the Ultimates started hugging their single parents, tears in their eyes. As time passed by, the heart rate monitors started beeping slower, eventually ending in one long noise, and the Ultimates died in their children's arms. Realizing the terrible truth, the Mii Fighters began to cry, with the followers lowering their heads in loss and mourning.

"The Ultimates are dead," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in sadness. "They lived for a good cause: to carry out the deeds of Tabuu and retrieve the pieces of the Master Core's world." The Mii Fighters were then outside on the fortress's only balcony after a few minutes before the funeral even began, weeping in agony. Their tears were dropping from the height, absorbed by the mercury lake down below. Sephiroth slowly walked in, hoping he could give out some comfort of a senseful human being.

"I know what it feels like… to lose a loved one," Sephiroth said, sitting down next to the Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner. "And I think it's right that they should be avenged in some way. Your parents told me years after your birth and experimentational success of bringing back the Mii Fighter's long-lost voices that I would make sure you deserve to rule righteously. The Ultimates knew one day you three would replace them. You're all never too young to carry such a big weight on your shoulders." The Mii Brawler turned his head towards Sephiroth, hugging him deeply in shame and fault. The Mii Swordfighter and the Mii Gunner joined in, trying to be comforted by the one-winged angel.

"There, there," Sephiroth said. "Let it all out. I was sad too that your parents died, but I knew that one day you'll do something to end all this." The Mii Fighters broke the hug, wiping away their tears.

"Is there a way? To honor what they did for all of us?" the Mii Swordfighter asked, each one of the Mii Fighters with looks of determination on their faces. "To finish what the Ultimates started and rebuild the Great Maze?"

"There is a way," Sephiroth answered. "However, if you're going to do it, you'll have to trust me. Otherwise, it could spell doom for both you three and your kind, just like how R.O.B. and the Ancients suffered."

"First things first," the Mii Gunner replied, "we're going to have some new uniforms made. Not exactly like the past Ultimates, but something to honor their deaths and future vengeance."

"That would probably take a few hours until your new uniforms are made," Sephiroth objected.

"Then we'll just use one of the contraptions you were making before," the Mii Brawler answered. "What was it you were building?" Sephiroth then took in the Mii Fighters to the research room, where the Primids were working on the new weapons of the Subspace Army.

"These machines were originally planned for the first invasion," Sephiroth told the Mii Fighters. "However, they were long lost into history, but we managed to recover copies of them." The stranger with the red gem appeared in front of the one-winged angel and the Ultimates's children.

"I'm sure you three remember Infinite, the one of the few warriors who teamed up with me during the explosion of the last Subspace Bomb," Sephiroth said. The stranger was revealed as another anamorphic creature in the form of a jackal found in Sonic's world with the red glowing gem with black spirals swirling around on his chest, his body was black with white, jagged spikes on his long hair and tail, with metallic boots and a mask with black spirals in his ears, and his left eye was gleaming red with a yellow iris.

"Of course we remember," the Mii Brawler said. "He teamed up with Shadow Mewtwo to help power the Ancient's corpses to toggle the Subspace Bomb."

"Yes," Sephiroth answered. "The Phantom Ruby and the Shadow Synergy Stone working together can create unbelievable things, like reanimate lost limbs and cause them to function well. Both of them alone are incredible, like the Phantom Ruby of this world to create virtual warriors and the Shadow Synergy Stone to replicate the Shadow Bugs, but they're unstoppable together, as we'll be channeling their powers to bring back one of our long-lost friends with the device we were making before. However, the machine has a one-time use, so make the resurrection count for someone who won't fail us warming our enemies up."

"Then let's get cracking," the Mii Gunner replied. "We don't have much time to waste. And we're hoping afterwards to create long-lost voices for the rest of our kind…" Walking up to the resurrection device, Sephiroth with the Mii Fighters watched as Shadow Mewtwo and Infinite were strapped down with the Shadow Synergy Stone and the Phantom Ruby attached to wires.

"Processing resurrection device," the Subspace computer spoke. "Scanning for warriors from a dated… ten years ago." As Sephiroth and the Mii Fighters watched, they saw the list of the bosses that used to work for the Subspace Army.

"The list includes Petey Piranha, Rayquaza, Porky Minch, Galleom, Duon, and Ridley," the Subspace computer spoke. The mutated Primids were waiting for a certain selection to be made by the Mii Fighters, and Sephiroth was patiently waiting for an answer.

"Be careful who you choose," Sephiroth whispered to them. "One screwup will have all the blame put on you." The Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner were thinking carefully one who to choose in this one-time decision.

"We pick… Ridley," the Mii Brawler said.

"Ridley selected," the Subspace computer said. As the monitors showed, Ridley was highlighted with a white outline, signifying he was picked.

"Why Ridley?" Sephiroth asked.

"He was the only fighter outside all of the others to almost kill the Super Smash Brothers," the Mii Gunner answered. "He has his own unique style and would be perfect if he would rise once again. Because of this, we pick Ridley."

"Ridley it is," Sephiroth said. "Wise decision." Once the Primids selected Ridley, the computer monitors showcased Ridley being constructed and a progress bar on the side. The machines then started powering up, collecting some of Infinite's and Shadow Mewtwo's powers and transporting them into the resurrection pod.

"Stabilizing structure: 15% progress…" the Subspace computer spoke "Replicating DNA: 32% progress…" The Mii Fighters and Sephiroth started watching as the resurrection pod was creating an eerie purple mist and slowly taking shape.

"Rebuilding intellectual and physical form: 50% progress," the Subspace computer said. "Regenerating biological cellular structure: 85% progress." The children of the Ultimates watched in awe as the creature they chose is rebuilding and moving, releasing a thunderous roar.

"Almost finished," Sephiroth said. "All we have to do is give him the right size…" However, during the progress, Shadow Mewtwo was recovering memories from his past: remembering the Pokémon Trainer, the last Subspace Army invasion, the loss of many of the Pokémon, the fact that both he and many more were taken, tortured, and mutilated. Suddenly snapping out, Shadow Mewtwo broke the wires that connected to his Shadow Synergy Stone and broke the table he was attached to. During the time when Shadow Mewtwo was waking up, the computer was starting to malfunction.

"ERROR: progress terminated," the Subspace computer spoke. The Primids saw the computer was blinking out, they quickly started typing in codes to reboot the system. The creature trapped in the resurrection pod was being shocked with many sorts of lightning colors, the Judgement Fortress beginning to shake.

"Shut it down!" Sephiroth yelled at the Primids. "Shut it down!" The Mii Swordfighter noticed Shadow Mewtwo was out from his position.

"The legendary Pokémon is away from the device!" the Mii Swordfighter told the other Mii Fighters. "It looks like he's recovering memories! Whatever you do, do not let him destroy that Shadow Synergy Stone!" The Mii Fighters then started cornering Shadow Mewtwo, lassoing him in the bright purple rope from before. One of the Mii Gunners then walked in, with the taser. However, once the sparks touched Shadow Mewtwo's crystal, it had no effect on him.

"That little trick doesn't work on me anymore," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in boast. "I've gotten stronger by the minute…" The legendary Pokémon then broke free of his bondages and pushed the Mii Fighters away, both the Ultimates's children and their followers. Infinite got out from his position to stop this madness, and both M. Bison and Morpho Knight tried using their powers to bring down Shadow Mewtwo. Noticing the scenario, the Pokémon warped out of the research room and away from Subspace.

"Unable… to- shut down – ! #$ $(%$!?:{! # - help…" the Subspace computer said as its systems were overloading. The Ultimates's children got up, watching as the creature in the capsule was still roaring as more of the multi-colored sparks kept shocking him. Sephiroth then unsheathed his long sword, slicing at the computer screen and breaking the device, which resulted in the whole room going black.

"System… rebooting…" the Subspace computer said from a different area, and the computer fixed and repaired itself. Sephiroth looked with anger at the Mii Fighters, upset over the fact that the idea of a perfect warrior coming back ended in failure. Then, M. Bison, Morpho Knight, and Infinite went to their side when they felt embarrassed on their first day.

"Thanks to you idiots, the perfect plan to bring back one of our most powerful soldiers was ruined," Sephiroth said.

"Leave the Mii Fighters out of this," Infinite objected. "It isn't their fault Shadow Mewtwo has grown strong enough to escape into the outside world." Afterwards, the lights went back on. The Mii Fighters and Sephiroth watched as the resurrection pod opened, revealing the new and improved last of the Space Pirates – Ridley. The creature started crawling out of the machine that brought him back, roaring for fresh air. Like from a dream, the space creature slowly opened his eyes to explore the new environment around him.

"…Where… where am I…?" Ridley hissed in question. "What… is this place? What happened?"

"You are in the Judgement Fortress, inside the last Subspace gateway," Sephiroth answered. "Thanks to the rise in technology, we were able to resurrect you after your last defeat… with minor effects." From what the Mii Fighters and the bosses clearly saw, Ridley was much smaller than he first appeared, slightly taller if they were to compare him to Bowser.

"And how long was I out?" Ridley asked.

"Ten years, from what we heard," the Mii Gunner answered. "But… the good news is it somehow worked despite being smaller than usual."

"We were hoping you could join us for domination over Arcadia for Tabuu," Infinite said.

"Domination?" Ridley hissed, being a little more abusive in his voice. "For Tabuu? Who even is Tabuu? Was I really gone for ten years?"

"Ridley, I know this all sorts of confusing, but you'll be a lot happier when you finally join up with the Construct God," M. Bison said.

"All this time, I thought I was working for the Master Hand," Ridley objected. "Whoever this Tabuu guy is, I do not wanna stand beside him. It… just doesn't seem right, even if I'm a murderous monster…"

"Ridley," the Mii Brawler said, "it's difficult to believe, I know, but you'll get used to it."

"I can't do this," Ridley objected. "From now on, I'm on my own. No master, no rules, just destruction. I don't know who this guy is, and I never wanna know."

"Ridley, this is the last straw!" Sephiroth spoke in a stricter voice. "Join Tabuu or there will be consequences!"

"Sephiroth," the Mii Swordfighter asked, "don't you think Ridley's message turning our offer down may be because of those sparks from before…?"

"Of course I know! Why would you say that!?" Sephiroth yelled at the Mii Fighters. Ridley then started roaring, unfurling his wings and taking off into the air. The space creature started glaring madly at the Subspace Army bosses, self-aware he was betraying the ones who brought him back. Flying almost as fast as the speed of sound, Ridley started unleashing fireballs in the room, setting the place on fire and flying off, leaving claw and tail marks all over the floor, walls, and ceiling. Infinite created virtual water to put out the fire, and everyone saw Ridley was gone too.

"This would have never happened if Shadow Mewtwo made a fool of himself," Sephiroth said. "We're going to have to use those long-lost plans, and they'll be perfect for world domination. Let's go, Ultimates Reborn. From the time that passed, it looks like your new uniforms are ready." The one-winged angel with Infinite, M. Bison, and Morpho Knight left the research room, with the Mii Fighters left behind. Taking a look at the mess Ridley and Shadow Mewtwo had caused, the Mii Brawler turned towards the Mii Swordfighter and Mii Gunner. While he was looking at them in belief of shame and disappointment, the gleam that went in a full circle leading to a cross off-center flashed in his eyes. It was small, but small enough for the other two to notice and get the gleam as well.

"That gleam in your eyes…" the Mii Gunner said. "Is that…?"

"Strange how we all have it too," the Mii Swordfighter butted in.

"…It's probably nothing," the Mii Brawler answered, noticing the gleams in their eyes. "Let's get going. Sephiroth and the others are waiting for us to leave Subspace." Walking off, the new Ultimates left the research room, with the computer still functioning after all the chaos that took place. When the place was empty, the monitor flashed an image of Ridley, Shadow Mewtwo, and the Mii Fighters, picking up some sort of weird energy from all of them. The results broadcasted on the second screen showed the image of a Smash Ball, the only thing they had in common somehow.

"Hella would be surprised by these news," the Subspace computer spoke. "Sending information… She responded with, 'I will wait for the perfect time to reveal their secret, for I already know WHO they are.'"

Chapter 12: Protector of the Cosmos

Summary:

After Bowser Jr. takes down the Comet Observatory, Rosalina and her Lumas are forced to join the fight against evil.

Chapter Text

*location skip

Sonic, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Palutena, Dark Pit, Shulk, Lucas, Charizard, and Little Mac were grouped together, running through the dry, arid frontier, heading to the direction of Civiltatula, the city the blue rodent described.

"Are we there yet?" Lucas asked, slowing down in pace from exhaustion.

"We still have a long way to go," Sonic answered, "but we can take a break if you like."

"Yes, please," Lucas panted. However, Meta Knight walked in front of Sonic, his eyes giving off a slightly angry hue.

"Are you nuts?" Meta Knight then objected. "We are on the run from the Subspace Army, and you need to rest? Our enemies can't and never will rest until they have what they want."

"So, you're saying there's no time for breaks?" Sonic asked. "Y'know, you just need the time to sniff the flowers, as I always tell myself."

"How can I if we're stranded in the middle of nowhere where there's bound to be a lot of enemies spawning for no reason?" Meta Knight answered in the form of another question. "You're the only one who's bringing back the Smash Balls, regaining our memories. It's crucial we all work together to make sure the Subspace Army does not have what they want."

"And you're saying the fact that my existence is releasing the ultimate power which our enemies need to power the Subspace Bombs?" Sonic objected. "This is all kinds of confusing, even I don't seem to be following this…"

"Sonic. Meta Knight. Zip it," Shulk butted in, breaking up the argument. "Once we find out what kinds of crazy contraptions the Subspace Army is building with these blueprints, we'll be able to find out where they're making them and blow the place up. Simple as that, don't you think?" Sonic and Meta Knight then looked at each other with forgiveness, taking a look beyond the horizon in the direction they were heading off to.

"Since a war is never fair, and our enemies never take a vacation, I guess we should go through the Meta Knight route," Sonic answered. "It may not be the most logical – believe me, I know – but it's the only thing getting closer to reuniting with our friends." The blue hedgehog then pulled out the jar with the neon purple Shadow Bug named "Faker", taking a small glance at the tiny companion. Running off with a trail of dust, the other fighters started to follow him to their destination.

Thousands of miles above the black-red cloud coating all of Arcadia in darkness, a small, red-coated dragon called the Winged Firestorm Mini went lightning-fast into space, deep into the crystal-clear night sky, right in front of a rather large ship in the form of a futuristic castle powered by what appeared to be a glowing orb barely as dense and bright as the other stars. Inside the Winged Firestorm Mini, piloting the creature, were a series of Magikoopas and Hammer Bros., all lead by none other than the Koopa King's spoiled little son himself – Bowser Jr. – sitting in his Koopa Clown Car.

Watching tiny stars with what looked like eyes on their faces flinging themselves at the Winged Firestorm Mini, Bowser Jr. merely shook his head in disappointment.

"Uncle Sephy said I could have a little fun blowing up the Comet Observatory," Bowser Jr. said to himself, "and that's what I'm gonna do. Whatever it takes to reunite with my papa. Okay, boys! Fire when ready!" The Magikoopas started laughing when the Winged Firestorm Mini opened its mouth, napalm fire heating up in the back of its metallic throat. The giant fireball released landed right at the center of the spaceship's core, blowing up the Comet Observatory. Jewels shaped like stars flew out from the explosion, dropping through the black-red cloud waiting down below.

Coincidentally, Sonic and his team were at the same place the star-like jewels fell from the sky. As they looked around, they saw rainbow-glowing gems falling from up above, clearing the sky a little bit for them to observe the beautiful celestial bodies of space. Once the jewels touched the ground, they exploded into more gems shaped like stars. As the fighters looked above, they saw the Comet Observatory burning up in the atmosphere, turning into rubble. The rubble started landing around them like meteorites, iron-hot to the touch.

"Everyone, get out of the way!" Sonic yelled, pushing Palutena and Dark Pit out of the way followed by Lucas, Charizard, Bayonetta, Little Mac, and Shulk. Once everyone was hiding in a nearby cave, the blue hedgehog ran back to get Meta Knight, who had his legs trapped underneath one of the large pieces of rubble. Sonic started lifting it up as the last incoming debris was falling right above them.

"Go, M.K.!" Sonic groaned as his legs started wobbling from the excessive weight. "Run for cover!" Meta Knight flew into the cave as Sonic ran away from the collision just in time but couldn't back out from the shaking of the ground, which was so powerful it knocked him into the dry sand, rendering him unconscious. The last thing he heard were the voices of the other fighters from the cave, after the debris stopped falling from the sky.

Slowly waking up from the collision, he felt if the jar that was carrying Faker was still there unscratched, and it was. Giving a sigh of relief, he was trying to see what was tickling his nose at the time, waking him up. As he sharpened his vision, he saw a tiny, star-like being glowing yellow with large, black eyes, tapping the blue hedgehog's long, black nose with its stubby arms. His friends ran up to him just in time, trying to see if he's okay.

"Sonic!" Lucas said. "You all right?"

"Yeah," the blue hedgehog answered. As soon as Sonic got up and put the jar with Faker back in his quills, the star-like being started dancing like it was suspended in space, its squeaking voices echoing, relived of Sonic's survival with the catastrophe.

"What is that thing?" Pittoo asked.

"I have no idea," Sonic answered. "That was the first thing I saw when I woke up. I wonder what it's doing here." The star-like being was flailing its arms, almost as if it was terrified.

"By the way, buddy," Sonic asked the star-like being, "what do we call you?" The star-like being then started spinning in the air, creating waves of light that lasted long enough for the other fighters to read. Once the star-like being was finished, the waves of light read:

I am what you call a Luma. A terrible threat caused our home to explode like a supernova! Now, we have nowhere to live in the stars, and Mama's trapped and sleeping.

"Trapped?" Little Mac wondered. "Sleeping?"

"Where do we find your Mama?" Palutena asked the Luma. The star-like being started waving its arms, signifying the others to follow it as it flew off.

"Hey!" Sonic exclaimed. "Wait up!" The fighters started running after the Luma, following the thin streams of light. Once they were in the open, in the center of a huge crater were more of the Lumas - some red, blue, green, others white, black with blue eyes, or purple. The fighters then got into what the Lumas were protecting: a large, cyan-colored crystal with a sad girl trapped inside.

"That's your Mama?" Shulk asked. The yellow Luma nodded.

"How do we get her out of here?" Lucas asked. The Lumas started dancing around in waves of light, giving another message:

Maybe try breaking it. It could free our Mama…

"Break it, huh?" Sonic asked in wonder. Meta Knight unsheathed his sword, unleashing a flurry of attacks at the crystal. When the others saw what the Lumas meant by breaking the crystal, they started attacking, revealing cracks on its surface. Once Little Mac dealt the finishing blow, the crystal shattered into many pieces, unleashing a blinding light. After the light cleared, the fighters saw the sad girl trapped in the crystal was a mysterious woman with silky, blond hair. A long lock of it covered her right eye, which each one of them were a deep-space color and sparkled like the cosmos, and she was wearing a silver crown on her head. Her earrings looked like they were twinkling, and her dress was as blue as the waters of the earth. She was wielding a wand in her left hand, and she was slowly regaining conscious as she started sitting up in what remained of the crystal she was trapped in.

"Oh, dear," the woman said, her voice echoing like the Lumas. "I wasn't supposed to arrive here until another hundred years…"

"Well, we got you outta here," Sonic said. "Do you mind telling us your name for those who don't know, miss?"

"My name is Rosalina, protector of the galaxies and mother of the Lumas," the woman answered.

"So, do you mean you're a mother physically or mentally?" Sonic asked, the question having nothing to do with the situation.

"SONIC!" Meta Knight yelled angrily as Rosalina and the other fighters giggled.

"I guess you could say I'm both," Rosalina said.

"Nah, that's fine," Sonic replied. "Anyway, why was your ship falling from the sky?"

"The Comet Observatory's main core was destroyed," Rosalina answered, the yellow Luma cuddling up into its mother's arms. "Someone from this world has finally destroyed our home, even though we had no idea how we got here or where we came from… or how we became like this…"

"Well," Sonic said, "I know you were once a human girl when you first came across those Lumas, and…" Before Sonic was about to begin the story, the Winged Firestorm Mini roared before landing to the rubble. Hearing the rumbling, all the frightened Lumas disappeared into thin air except for the yellow one, who stayed close to Rosalina. Sonic and the other fighters then crawled out of the crater, noticing the red, robotic dragon. Then, Magikoopas and Hammer Bros. fell from the Winged Firestorm Mini's stomach, and they were all followed by Bowser Jr., who slowly glided to the ground in his Koopa Clown Car.

"Looks like I found the prisoners who escaped from the previous version of the Winged Firestorm Pro," Bowser Jr. said. "I wasn't expecting you guys to show up. I just wanted to see if the protector of the cosmos was still alive after I purposely destroyed her home for fun…"

"Don't get too soft, boy," Bayonetta interrupted. "Who the hell do you think you are?"

"I was the boy who was separated from his father for years to come," Bowser Jr. answered. "The kid who stayed away from his papa for ten long years, trying to finish what he started after his betrayal to Tabuu. Bowser Jr.'s my name, and you picked a bad time to disturb our invasion. I'll give you another warning: if you ever dare of stopping our attack on Arcadia, there will be consequences." Bowser Jr. then jumped into the Winged Firestorm Mini, and the Magikoopas and Hammer Bros. watched as the red dragon took off into the skies towards the city of Civiltatula. Shadow Bugs started raining from the sky, forming Spaaks, Tickens, Bytans, Bucculi, Auroros, Shaydas, and paper-thin but boogieboard-wide flounder-shark hybrids with long, whipping tails and a hundred eyes on their faces – Halicarptus – which dove into the ground and emerged with stretchy jaws that would swallow a victim whole and carry them deep underground to suffocate them from the pressure.

"Alrighty, guys," Sonic said to the new recruits. "Looks like we're taking the road to the city the HARD way." Sonic started running towards the Magikoopas and Hammer Bros., avoiding their magic beams and flying hammers. Once the blue hedgehog managed to get behind their backs, he kicked them into oblivion, followed by his spin-dashes that were hard to predict. Shulk used his Monado Arts to switch into Speed Mode, allowing him to run faster than the Shaydas were able to catch up to him. Dodging the Subspace monsters' slashes, the Bionis jumped into the air, using his signature Backslash to split their bodies in half between each of their two heads. Charizard rushed up to the Tickens, breaking their hard shells to reveal innocent baby chicks that flew out of harm's way, and Lucas used his Rope Snake to grab the incoming diving Auroros. Bayonetta went high into the air and started firing her Bullet Arts at the Spaaks, knocking them out of the sky. Little Mac and Meta Knight charged at the Bytans and Bucculi, unleashing flurries of attacks and jabs. Palutena tried jumping over the soft ground, for she knew that Halicarptus love swimming in there, and once one jumped out, she zapped them with her staff. Dark Pit fired his arrows from his Silver Bow at one Halicarptu, splitting its thin, stretchy body in two.

Sonic started running out of the dangerous part of the frontier just in time, but remembered his friends weren't as fast as he was when he saw they were still surrounded by a lot of enemies. The blue blur then started running faster than the speed of sound, beginning to curl up into a ball at the incoming enemies who all suddenly noticed him. Sonic started grinding into a few ancient pillars as some of the Halicarptus rammed into the hard stone since they couldn't actually swim through a solid surface. The blue hedgehog's friends got out of the soft sand and onto hard ground, Sonic jumped right in front of them, with the monsters chasing after him only to be crushed by the pillar. The only creatures that survived were the Halicarptus, who were squirming underneath the weight only to die seconds later. After the fighters noticed the bad-ass action Sonic preformed, they started applauding in wonder.

"Don't thank me," Sonic replied. "That's how I do my job around here." Once he took another step, he started feeling the pain from before, clenching his stomach. Worried about Sonic's health, Meta Knight and Rosalina ran to his side, with the yellow Luma hiding behind Charizard's wings.

"What's with him?" Rosalina asked Meta Knight while Sonic was groaning badly.

"He's going through another phase of the Smash Ball," Meta Knight answered. "We're going to have to back away from him slowly and figure out what he's seeing this time." After the fighters were backing off, Sonic stood upright, opening his white, glowing eyes once more.

After Sonic got up, he saw that he had the rainbow hue, glowing golden irises, and Smash Ball attached to his chest once more. He took the jar with Faker out of his quills, still thinking about how this is possible. Looking around, the blue hedgehog saw where he last left off – Hella with the very first Shadow Bug traveling to the Isle of the Ancients for answers of her long-lost past and why they were using her technology. As Sonic observed, the black-haired girl came from a long journey, holding the map she was carrying up to her face once in a while.

Time passed by ever since I started looking for the Isle of the Ancients before heading for the location of the Mii Fighters I somehow knew but never... really studied, Hella's voice echoed in Sonic's head. I had been travelling for weeks without the Master Core's acceptance, wandering the far corners of the land. I was growing tired, weary, and the only person I could ever talk to and share my feelings with was the Shadow Bug I created. The blue blur watched as the time with Hella sped up around him, and he wasn't moving at all as he watched her walk to her destination. Finally, after a long journey, Hella looked awfully exhausted.

I had been far away from the Arcadium for a long time, Hella replied. I suddenly came across a rather large mountain where the map said was the Isle of the Ancients. I felt like I was lied to, but I decided to not give up when I travelled so far. So, with all my strength, I climbed to the largest tree on the mountain at the very peak. There, I unpacked my stuff and took a deep rest. Sonic the Hedgehog started observing over the time the black-haired girl was sleeping, the mountain started to rumble. Taking off into the air, the mountain started lifting up, revealing what appeared to be hovering devices underneath. Buildings that were invisible at the time started fading into sight as the clouds seemed to lower themselves above them. The Shadow Bug in the jar at Hella's side watched as the mountain was beginning to float into the skies and tried to wake her up, but to no avail. After the rumbling stopped, Hella stirred up from her sleep after quite some time. The Shadow Bug was chirping signs of annoyance, and Hella calmed it down by gently rubbing the jar it was encased in. As the black-clothed warrior looked around, she suddenly saw what once appeared to be a mountain was actually a long-lost city.

I finally found it, staring with eyes of wonder, Hella said. The hidden city of the Isle of the Ancients, floating high above the clouds. Sonic watched as Hella got up from her resting spot and looked around her. The blue hedgehog then started following her around, the rainbow hue surrounding him trailing behind. Hella was looking around, admiring the chrome-colored buildings and futuristic technology lighting the pathways. Then, out of the corner of her eye, she spotted what appeared to be a small R.O.B. simply walking out of the building. Noticing someone not of their kind is on the island, the robot started releasing loud beeps to signal anyone else to see what it sees. More robots that looked much like the small R.O.B. walked out of more buildings, trying to see what's going on. Sonic was in front of Hella at that time, but the R.O.B.s simply passed through him. As the blue hedgehog watched through the crowd of robots, he saw that they were looking at Hella and her Shadow Bug with curiosity. Just then, the R.O.B.s parted way for what appeared to be the lead robot, her head a white platinum with golden arms and a silver body. She was trying to communicate with Hella, but her own language consisted of only beeps in frequencies even Hella couldn't understand. Eventually, a cream-and-red colored R.O.B. brought to her a dark green cape with a thought translator attached to it. When the lead robot put it on, she managed to keep it snug.

"I'm not very good with introductions, human," the lead robot said. "I'm known by a lot of names, but you may call me the Ancient Minister."

"How come your city was disguised as a mountain?" Hella asked.

"We had kept our secret for years," the Ancient Minister said. "We recognized the technology you made for our survival."

"They're not much," Hella replied. "They're just made for random battles."

"Nonsense!" the Ancient Minister objected. "We were most pleased with your work."

"So, what you're trying to tell me is that you're thankful for my inventions to build machines to replicate the need for an increased life?" Hella asked.

"I guess if that's how you want to put it," the Ancient Minister answered. "Thanks to your devices, we have decided to treat you as a friend from now on."

"A… friend?" Hella asked. "That's nice. I mean… I've never really had a friend before, and I always fight with those I know…"

"That's alright," the Ancient Minister answered. "We'll be having a party at the Great Hall for thanking you for your inventions." As time passed, the Ancients were setting up a banquet and treating Hella as the guest of honor. There was music and food beyond anything Sonic could imagine, and even though he was viewing this through a memory he was a little hungry…

After the hours had passed, Hella with the Shadow Bug in her pocket was walking with the Ancient Minister through the courtyard, admiring the view from on high.

"So..." Hella asked, "about your voices, how come you never actually talk?"

"We communicate through special understanding only we could read," the Ancient Minister said. "It wasn't until your inventions helped us talk to other species better."

"Maybe you wouldn't be needing those doohickeys once you find another kind who reads your language…" Hella resounded.

"Maybe…" the Ancient Minister replied. "Anyway, what brings you here to the Isle of the Ancients? Is it because you want the inventions you have back?"

"No, no," Hella answered. "I finally see you're happy with my little toys. It's just that… I am one of the many species who was supposedly abducted from my homeland and transformed into a trophy, which would remove all memories of anyone's past. I was eavesdropping on the Master Core and told someone to bring both my technology and the past knowledge of anyone in this land to the Isle of the Ancients…"

"I think you may have misheard him," the Ancient Minister said. "We don't have the knowledge that you seek. However, there is a more elderly species far away from here. They are called the Mii Fighters, based off beings from other universes. Deep in their city is the Chamber of Secrets. There, you will find who you truly are. However, once this vast knowledge is read, you will never be the same again. The land of the Mii Fighters is hidden in the pit of Ginnungagap, the area where Muspelheim – the fire – and Niflheim – the ice – meet. The map to the land of the Mii Fighters is hidden in the stars. Follow the Northern Star, which is so bright it even shines during the day, and you will never lose your location."

"Thank you so much, Ancient Minister," Hella answered, tucking the Shadow Bug into her pocket. "There are some blueprints left on your table, so you can use my technology for yourselves. I promise I'll come back to visit sometime. Anyway, how do I get down from here?"

"With your inventions of teleportation, of course," the Ancient Minister answered. With a rather large cannon, the robot shot her, warping her out of the Isle of the Ancients. When Hella woke up, she found out she was back in the land of Arcadia where the mountain she visited before once was, and she remembered to follow the Northern Star to the land of the Mii Fighters and find out everything about herself. Walking out of the woods and into the uncharted territory, the black-haired girl was sketching the new areas and creatures she founded along the way.

From A to Z, Hella's voice rang as Sonic watched her travelling, I found new species that were submissive to my will – Armank, Armight, Auroros, Autolance, Bombed, Borboras, Bucculus, Buckot, Bytan, Cymul, Feyesh, Floow, Gamyga, Glice, Glire, Glunder, Greap, Mite, Mizzo, Nagagog, Poppant, Puppit, Roader, Roturret, Shaydas, Shellpod, Spaak, Ticken, Towtow, and Trowlon. I charted and observed each creature on how they behaved, understanding the ways of the wild. During my long journey, I was starting to remember heading back to the Arcadium to prove the Master Core wrong about us after I completed my quest to follow the Northern Star.

Eventually, Sonic the Hedgehog saw Hella stumble into an empty land, where it was filled with nothing but icy-cold waste. The wind was blowing almost as powerful as a hurricane, the large crystals slicing and bruising the girl's soft skin. The map that Hella was holding onto at the time started to shred into pieces, and the sky was so foggy even the Northern Star couldn't shine through the blanket of the snowy clouds. Her Shadow Bug companion started shivering and sneezing, cuddling up next to Hella for warmth in her pocket.

"Where am I supposed to go!?" Hella cried. "I feel like I've been walking around in circles. I'll die here… The Master Core was right. I was too careless in my actions and so damned myself…" The black-haired girl started weeping, with Sonic walking right up to her side, the rainbow hue the only thing illuminating the thick, icy fog. Just then, a spark of fire flew right past her face, followed by a series of more sparks. Hella wiped away her frozen tears to find out there must be some generator of warmth around here. Walking towards where the sparks got brighter and holding her breath from the incoming smoke, Hella saw huge bursts of flames gushing out from special pillars. When Hella looked around, she observed the snowstorm colliding with the sandstorm. She saw the fire and ice then swirl around on another before being sucked into a hole larger than anything she's ever seen, and above the pit was the Northern Star shining the light on top of the two areas.

"The place where fire and ice meet," Hella said to herself. "Ginnungagap! I found it!" Geysers of hot and cold erupted from the mouth of the pit and scrapped her left arm, both freezing and burning her a little. Hella backed away from the pit, trying to see where she can find a way into the land of the Mii Fighters. As Hella was trying to think of a way in, the colossal pit started shaking, and the land underneath the black-haired girl's weight collapsed. Hella felt that she was falling, and she started screaming in terror that she was falling to her doom. Sonic jumped in, feeling the fire and ice flowing around him but not do any physical harm to him. Once Sonic got onto the ground, he saw Hella lying unconscious, surrounded by strange, exotic plants. She slowly stirred up, feeling the Shadow Bug she made was still in the jar in her pocket. There was artificial sunlight generated from the fire of Muspelheim, and many of the plants had that icy texture of Niflheim. Trees and flowers that Sonic thought were extinct thrived, and the fresh air breathed through in small gusts. Hella was in an entirely new land hidden deep below Ginnungagap.

The rustling of the plants disturbed the silence, encouraging Hella to bring her guard up. She started to carry her weapon, looking around the new environment she was in. Emerging out of the bushes, a Mii Brawler wrapped around in a ragged tunic emerged, followed by a Mii Swordfighter wearing a leopard's tunic and a Mii Gunner clothed by a giant leaf. Their weapons consisted of rocks for the Brawlers, sharp, hard leaves for the Swordfighters, and ancient plasma for the Gunners.

"Stay where you are, outsider!" the Mii Brawler spoke. "You dare invade our homeland when we were safe for many years to come?"

"I- I'm sorry," Hella muttered. "It's just that… I wanted to visit your ruler and ask for your knowledge…"

"You seek us for our knowledge?" the Mii Gunner said. "Intruder from the surface, we'll be taking you to the Ultimates for interrogation." They eventually grabbed some rope and tied Hella's hands in front of her body, dragging her to their city. As Hella was observing, she saw the land didn't look or feel like an all-knowing nation. She looked around, seeing the tons of Miis that didn't even become Fighters swinging through the vines on the trees next to their stone huts. Hella was then placed in front of the three Ancient Ultimates, who were cloaked with black star leaves.

"What brings you here to our secret land, outsider?" the Swordfighter Ancient Ultimate said.

"She was found beyond our borders, looking for the vast knowledge we contain within these walls," the Mii Brawler said.

"I wasn't looking for any harm," Hella objected, struggling with the bondages. "I was only travelling, hoping you could unlock the secrets to my long-lost past…"

"Your persuasions don't seem to have that kind of effect on us," the Brawler Ancient Ultimate said, gently grinding his stone fists together.

"If you please don't arrest me," Hella explained, "let me tell you why I came here."

As the time had passed, Hella's voice rang out in Sonic's head, I told the Mii Fighters about my residency with the Master Core and the fact that I needed their knowledge to find out who I really am. As a bonus, I promised to make their nation better than before, for I saw that they were living in toil and torment.

"Say no more," the Gunner Ancient Ultimate said, releasing Hella from her bondages. "We'll be taking you to the Chamber of Secrets. But be careful: this vast knowledge is not meant to be looked at by anyone, for anyone who reads them will run in fear of who they truly are…" The three Ancient Ultimates each placed their left hands on the edges of their thrones, opening a passageway that extended deep underground in the center of the room.

"Good luck…" the three Ancient Ultimates said. Hella took the long staircase down into the pit, looking around the damp, empty chasm. Sonic was slowly walking behind her, trying to find the all-knowledge in the Chamber of Secrets. Finally, right in front of her, Hella found the collection of scrolls and books in front of her that the Mii Fighters have saved over the many years. They were all listed in alphabetical order, each one with every name in all of Arcadia. Hella started viewing in the "H" section of the collection because of the first letter her name started with. Once she finally found a scroll that started with her name – only one – she started to open it and began to read. Turns out she discovered it was a note taken from the Master Core herself.

I was pretty alarmed when I discovered the Master Core himself wrote down most of this information about all of us, Hella's voice echoed through Sonic. Nonetheless, the note read, "Hella is by far one of my most prized possessions. She is my favorite character and deserves to be treated equally, like all of the other fighters. However, my bondage to Ragnarokk prevented me from doing so. Hella was also a part of me, and she was on Ragnarokk's side for using ultimate power to create a land where everyone could get along. When I couldn't handle it anymore, I split myself from Ragnarokk, leaving only Hella behind. She was the one who had all the order, I had all the power, and I knew I had to do something to keep her away from my domain. If I didn't have, it could lead to an all-out war involving imprisoning me. To protect her, I stripped her of her true powers, transformed her into a trophy to wipe away her memories, and made her think she was one of the brave warriors I created. I hope she never finds out, and even then, I already know I can't kill her… for we were once whole…"

Hella was surprised that she was lied to this whole time, how she was stripped of her ultimate power, how the Master Core didn't kill her when he had the chance. Lowering her head, the black-haired girl tucked the scroll in her pocket, the Subspace tattoo on her left arm exposing. She walked out of the Chamber of Secrets in front of the three Ancient Ultimates, bowing her head in thanks.

"Were you shocked to find out the truth?" the Brawler Ancient Ultimate asked.

"Oh, no…" Hella answered in nervousness. "Not at all. Really, I'm fine. So… do you think you could warp me back to the Arcadium with some sort of special device, if you have one?" The three Ancient Ultimates clapped their hands, and the Mii Fighters presented to her a special elixir glowing green. Once the cork popped off, Hella could smell a faint, apple-scented flavor emitting from the peculiar juice.

"Once you drink the whole elixir," the Swordfighter Ancient Ultimate said, "you'll fall into a deep sleep, making us easier to carry you back to your home, making the long journey back seem like just a dream." Hella then took the elixir and slowly drank it. Once the bottle was empty, she felt awfully woozy, beginning to yawn as the Mii Fighters placed her on a leave-woven bed and started to carry her to the outside world.

When Hella woke up, she found out she was back in her lab, and her Shadow Bug was still in its jar carried in her pocket. She slowly got up, taking out the scroll she had with her the whole time, reading it word-for-word again, wondering if she really did have long-lost abilities more powerful than the Master Core? If she was so weak before that he had the chance to turn her into a weak trophy? If she could do something to treat all fighters equally? After she walked out the door of her lab, she found out the Master Core himself was right in front of her, with the Swarms forming the structure of a human man.

"You've been away for quite a long time," the Master Core said.

"I had to find out who I was," Hella answered. "To see how much we can learn from ourselves…"

"By befriending the Ancients and the Mii Fighters?" the Master Core objected. "To help make their lives better? You seriously don't think I can't see and hear everything across this land? I should have never planned this future when I created Arcadia…"

"I told you before, old man," Hella replied, the Master Core standing in front of her. "Sometime soon, people are gonna be waking up and finding out who they really are, and there will be nothing to stand in your way. Had it not been for me, you would've been abducting warriors from other lands and erasing all memories of their past lives by now. But I guess that wouldn't really matter, considering the fact you ARE dragging warriors from their homelands…"

"Had it not been for you, Arcadia would never exist," the Master Core answered. "You know how much I dearly care for all of the fighters in this land, and I was doing it all for you without you even realizing it…" The Master Core started holding Hella in his arms, his snake-like arms wrapping around her chest. Hella then pushed him away, thinking that something isn't right.

"This… this all seems like a lie," Hella replied. "If you really cared for everyone and wished you were one right now, then I might ask you to give up being taboo. No one should ever have that unlimited power…"

"Give up being taboo?" the Master Core asked. "But I need that power to make sure you all live equally. Isn't that what you wanted?"

"Yes, but," Hella answered in objection, "this is not what I asked for… If you really cared, you would have given those who have been abducted back their memories and a way back to visit their worlds once in a while."

"Memories are dangerous for warriors new and old," the Master Core objected. "The pain they went through is not allowed in my world. Here in Arcadia, we remove all of the suffering and the consequences. What you did is make the rules of this world even worse by bringing order and change after reading that scroll." The Master Core then yanked the scroll out of Hella's hands, burning it into ashes with his magic. He then grabbed the Shadow Bug that Hella was keeping with her and crushed the jar with his hand with the creature trapped inside.

"Tomorrow morning," the Master Core said, "I'll be creating a new city called Civiltatula, the world where every creature could live under my rules and not yours."

"You say that there is no purpose on leading a successful life for all," Hella objected. "It's you who never chooses to change. Aren't you the REAL villain here?"

"Enough, Hella," the Master Core answered. "Tomorrow morning, I'll be taking you into the Arcadium, giving you the death penalty."

"But… you said trophies can't die," Hella objected.

"Well, who says that when you discover you and your master were once one?" the Master Core asked, the black-haired girl trembling as the Swarm-made figure walked out her lab door.

"One day," Hella said, "the Goddess of Oblivion will return, and I'll be making the perfect world in her honor, and I'll make sure all of the fighters stay secluded to my orders. Besides, you clearly said, in the scroll, that you can't kill me because you can't exist without me?"

"I can make sure you don't rise again when I finish your life," the Master Core said. "The land is constantly changing with your actions, and every law is altered. Goodbye, Hella…" Transforming into a giant cloud, the Master Core left the front of her lab house, leaving the black-haired warrior to sit alone.

With the thought that she's part of an all-powerful goddess.

She gently picked up a piece of the fractured jar with her very first Shadow Bug, the small tears reflected on its transparent surface. Looking down on her arm, she saw the Shadow Bug she made rub her cheek before disappearing into the walls, never to be seen again. Filled with rage, anger, jealousy, and unforgiveness, she stood up, thinking about a plan for changing the rules of the world.

"I can't do this alone," Hella said to herself, Sonic watching from afar. "What the Master Core has that I don't is an army of his own. He could command every trophy to turn against me, no questions or objections asked. I gotta get help." She then took out a communicator and started to contact her best friend, the Ancient Minister. The display screen started flashing green, revealing the lead R.O.B. answering the communicator.

"Hello, Hella," the Ancient Minister said. "Is there anything I could do to help?"

"I'd like you to contact the Mii Fighters," Hella answered. "Give them the best equipment you've built. I'll be going out into the wilderness on my hyperdrive hover pack to collect certain creatures to aid us. Before I leave, I'll be making more Shadow Bugs to form into beings just like the Master Core can do."

"What are you saying?" the Ancient Minister asked in slight fear.

"We're in a war," Hella answered before shutting off her communicator. After those events, Sonic the Hedgehog saw everything going white, eventually flashing before his eyes. When the blue blur woke up, he suddenly realized he was right in front of the city of Civiltatula, where the futuristic buildings were an eerie black opal, the lights flashed many different colors, and the rain poured its heaviest. Deep within the city, Primids with multiple red eyes, useless wings, and bleeding mouths were dominating the streets, walking around like an apocalypse of the undead. Many of the creatures Sonic had encountered before were all there, simply idling around like there was no one to intrude them. As the blue hedgehog looked up in the black-red sky, he saw the Winged Firestorm Mini fly into what appeared to be the tallest building in the city.

"Wonder where all my buddies went?" Sonic asked. "Either they were way ahead of me when I was vision-walking, or they're WAY back where I first appeared." As Sonic looked behind himself, he saw the rest of his gang running towards him, alarmed that they found him. The blue hedgehog ran back to the group, panting after all that running.

"Well?" Meta Knight asked. "What did you see in that vision?"

"I kinda figured out something," Sonic answered. "It seemed like there was some sort of ancient being called Ragnarokk, the Goddess of Oblivion, and apparently, the Master Core and Hella were once one. She found out about herself, befriended the Ancients and the Mii Fighters…"

"Did the vision mention anything about the Smash Ball?" Lucas interrupted, followed by Charizard nodding.

"Not that I know of," Sonic answered. "Anyway, it looks like we're just about here at our destination – Civiltatula, the City of Monsters and Nightmares."

"Are you sure we'll find someone in there who can understand these blueprints?" Palutena asked the blue blur.

"If there's anyone left in there, maybe," Sonic answered. "All we need to do is find someone who at least reads our language and understands the speech that is in the blueprints, even if he or she can't speak the common tongue…"

"Whoever's in there," Bayonetta chirped, "we'll be needing their help in the incoming invasion. New monsters just spawn out of nowhere, and the previous monsters you've encountered are even worse than ever. Wonder why…"

"I dunno either," Sonic answered. "Any moment now, the Subspace Army probably snagged some copies of the original blueprints. We've gotta find someone in there and fast." Sonic, Lucas, Charizard, Little Mac, Shulk, Bayonetta, Palutena, Dark Pit, Meta Knight, and Rosalina with her Luma ran towards the border of one of the most dangerous territories they've ever set foot in – Civiltatula.

Chapter 13: What To Do In A Crisis

Summary:

Cloud and his team are traveling throughout Arcadia for some answers. Meanwhile, the Wolfen Assault Group tears down a base unwillingly.

Chapter Text

Shadow Mewtwo was warping in the deep woods, running away from the Subspace Army. He was trying to get rid of the Shadow Bugs scarring his body, filling his mind with mixed memories. It was a constant battle between the Pokémon he once was and the monster he became for the Subspace Army. The Phantom Ruby that paired with him made the situation even worse. It drove him even crazier, forcing him to scratch the Shadow Synergy Stone off his left shoulder. His psychic and physical attacks did no good since the crystal only healed itself. The Shadow Bugs started tormenting him, making him go insane. Eventually, he saw himself in a pitch-black room with a red light above him. In front of Shadow Mewtwo was Infinite, the wielder of the Phantom Ruby.

"Get out of my head," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized.

"Oh, but I can't leave," Infinite objected. "I'm already a part of you. I already know where you're hiding, and the Subspace Army will track you down no matter what the cost…" The masked jackal warped closer, face-to-face with the tortured legendary Pokémon.

"Let me do this on my own," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in agony. "I don't need any of your help. All you do is make things even worse."

"Thanks to your little accident," Infinite said, "one of our biggest bosses ran away from the Subspace Army. All we've been doing is making you grow stronger, so powerful that even our little toys have no effect on you anymore."

"Please… leave…" Shadow Mewtwo telepathized. The room that the Pokémon was trapped in with Infinite vanished, leaving him back in the woods. Shadow Mewtwo's purple eyes contracted, crying over the sudden truth that he can't get rid of the horrible memories that scarred him for life. Just then, he heard a motor running from a distance. He saw Cloud with Link, Mario, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus driving the Fenrir to one of the hidden Subspace areas for answers of the incoming monsters. Then, without warning, Shadow Mewtwo used one of his Shadow Balls at the motorcycle. Cloud saw the incoming projectile in time and knocked all of the other fighters off. The 1st-class SOLDIER jumped off just in time as the Shadow Ball hit the Fenrir, causing the motorcycle to blow up. The other fighters got up and saw the catastrophe, looking at the direction the projectile came from. Shadow Mewtwo was simply standing there, afraid for the first time.

"Alright, Subspace boss," Cloud said, walking towards Shadow Mewtwo with Mario, Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda. "We were on a little vacation for answers and looks like we'll be getting a few today."

"Listen, listen," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in fear. "There's a huge threat. You don't know it's coming. Just leave me alone!" Shadow Mewtwo shot violet electricity from the palm of his weirdly-shaped hand. The other fighters, alarmed, dodged just in time. Threatened, Cloud Strife grabbed Shadow Mewtwo's hands, squeezing them tighter as seconds went on.

"Last chance, bitch," Cloud ordered. "What kind of monsters are they brewing up in Subspace?"

"I'm warning you," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized, squirming out of Cloud's grasp. "Stay- stay away from me-!" Before Shadow Mewtwo cloud finish, he accidently blasted a huge Shadow Bug pillar at Cloud, piercing his stomach.

"Cloud!" Link yelled. As the fighters watched, Cloud Strife was being engulfed by the Shadow Bugs, many of them leaking into his mouth and ears. After a short period of time passed, Cloud's body fell down, slowly getting up. The 1st-class SOLDIER's body was a darker color, producing a black-violet mist.

"…Cloud-a?" Mario asked. Before Mario could lay a hand on him, Cloud quickly jerked his neck, looking at the other fighters with glowing yellow eyes. The Shadow Bug fighter got up, popping his spine and shoulder. Link, Mario, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda looked at Shadow Mewtwo, the Pokémon looking terrified.

"I swear it's not my fault," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in fear. Zelda launched a blast of magic at the Pokémon, but he simply vanished into thin air, leaving the other fighters to face Shadow Cloud alone.

"Looks like we're going to have to do this like it was ten years ago," Mario said. "We simply attack the faker and rescue the real companion." Mario's hands clasped over the blade of Shadow Cloud's Buster Sword the second the Shadow Bug warrior swung his weapon. Mario jumped out of the way, and Shadow Cloud glared at the prepped warriors. Zero Suit Samus went in first, using her Jet Boots to fire blasts at Shadow Cloud's face. However, the Shadow Bug fighter was blocking the blasts, but felt himself grabbed by Link's clawshot. The weapon that Link was using was starting to rust after ten years, so it didn't grab on as long. Shadow Cloud then pushed Link to the ground, delivering quick jabs with his foot. Link pulled up his Hylian Shield, avoiding the hits. He tried hitting Shadow Cloud with his left hand, but noticed he was growing weaker with that hand somehow. Just then, Shadow Cloud knocked the Master Sword out of the Hylian's hands, leaving Link to run and grab it. Shadow Cloud was about to use his Limit Break's Blade Beam, but Zelda used her Nayru's Love to reflect it back at the Shadow Bug warrior, protecting Link.

Mario jumped in, launching flaming punches at the Shadow Bug fighter. Shadow Cloud counterattacked with a Climhazard, slashing vertically into the air and landing with a powerful blast that sent Mario flying into a nearby tree. Zelda started kicking Shadow Cloud in the face with her heel, zapping some of the Shadow Bugs off. The possessed 1st-class SOLDIER grabbed Zero Suit Samus's plasma whip, kicking the bounty hunter between her legs. Before he could kick again, the blond-haired woman grabbed her gun and stunned him, leaving Link to deal the final blow. With a quick stab, Link shoved the Master Sword, now in his right hand, through Shadow Cloud's chest, leaving the possessed 1st-class SOLDIER to die.

"L-link…" Shadow Cloud panted as dark purple juices trailed out of his wound and mouth. Link unsheathed his sword, terrified of the terrible action he had to do to save his friend. Once the Shadow Bugs left Shadow Cloud's dead body, all that remained was a trophy of the 1st-class SOLDIER. The golden trophy base showed Cloud Strife in combat on both feet, holding the Buster Sword in front of him with his two hands. Zelda and Link backed away while Zero Suit Samus and Mario walked closer. Then, the Hero of Hyrule ran to the 1st-class SOLDIER's trophy lying on the ground, ready to touch the base like it was supposed to work before.


Where… where am I? Cloud Strife slowly woke up, noticing his body was transparent with a rainbow aura. The strangest thing was he had all the memories of his homeland, but not in his trophy form. Little did he know this is what happen to fighters when they transform – their spirits and real memories split from their bodies, helpless in the world, forever cursed to walk the earth if anything happened to their vessels.

Am I still in the Lifestream? Cloud looked around, unaware of the new environment around him. The Cloud that was hidden in the transformation was only here when he turned into a trophy, so he couldn't remember anything that happened in Arcadia.

Tifa? Barret? Anyone? He saw peculiar-looking strangers surrounding what appeared to be him. Cloud Strife started peeking in to see himself, only to look at it in shock. There, the spirit of the warrior found himself frozen in a still form, and those eyes did not describe him at all.

IS THAT… ME!? He saw Link reaching over to the trophy's base, trying to save him with a simple touch. The spirit of Cloud tried to call for help, not even remembering that the Hylian was his friend.

Someone… anyone… help me… Bring me back! After Link touched the base of the trophy, Cloud quickly jerked up as if he woke up from a nightmare. Panting heavily, he saw his friends gathered around him, almost as if he remembered something from a dream.


"What the hell just happened?" Cloud Strife asked, getting up from his rest position.

"You were possessed by Shadow Bugs," Link answered. "We had to do something. I had to do something…"

"What matters is that you're okay, Cloud-a," Mario said. "Is… is there anything that's troubling you?" Cloud Strife sat up, wiping his forehead from the sweat.

"I… thought I had a dream…" Cloud answered. "When I was in my trophy form, I think… I mean, this world is already confusing enough as it is… Anyway, I saw myself, separated from my body, thinking I was still in some sort of Lifestream, looking for a girl named Tifa… these memories are all returning to me slowly but surely..."

"Which means it could probably work for the most of us too," Mario answered. "All this time, I've been away from the place I call home…"

"Red described once having a legendary Pokémon called Mewtwo," Zelda objected. "Did you see what appeared to be his counterpart a few minutes ago? It looked like he was being tortured mentally… almost as if he didn't mean to attack us and have us deal with the Shadow Bugs possessing Cloud alone…"

"Wherever this creature is, we need info on the new monsters," Cloud replied. "We're almost at the Subspace base, and Link and Zelda could suit up in the meantime. Looks like they could use a change…" The two Hylians nodded, walking off into the bushes to change.

As time had passed, Mario, Zero Suit Samus, and Cloud were waiting for Link and Zelda to be done. Once they heard the rustling, they saw the new and improved warriors they once knew. For Link, his blond hair was tied up into a ponytail with two locks in front of his ears, he was equipped with a bow and arrows, his Master Sword was now exposing its handle on Link's right shoulder (which he could wield the sword with his right hand and the Hylian Shield in the other), and his tunic was now a sky blue with white markings very different from the traditional green color of legends. As for Zelda, her hair was now a light blond with two bangs in front of her jeweled headpiece, and she was wearing a short-sleeved dress colored white with a dark shade of pink decorated with golden jewelry.

"Damn, guys!" Zero Suit Samus said as a compliment. "These new looks are really good on you! By the way, what do you think Link has?" The bounty hunter noticed Link was carrying some sort of tablet device with a Sheikah symbol on his waistband.

"Oh, this?" Link pulled it out, noticing the tablet. "This thingy is called a Sheikah Slate, or so I've been told. Basically, the Sheikah had some long-lost technology more advanced than anything in all of Hyrule. With this contraption, I could be able to make remote-detonated bombs, research enemy devices, and more."

"Looks like we got a science expert on our side," Cloud said. "Nice decision."

"So, looks like we're ready to head into the Subspace base then?" Zelda asked, flipping her new hairdo with her hand.

"Just about-a," Mario answered. "And with that nifty Sheikah Slate Link has with him to replace his old clawshot, it might be of some good use in the future." Afterwards, Cloud Strife, Zero Suit Samus, and Mario went with the new and improved Link and Zelda to the nearby Subspace base.


Deep in the forest, where more desolated trees burned to the ground and monsters dwelled, the Falcon Flyer Group walked in the direction they thought would help them find Sonic.

"Guys! Over here!" Peach exclaimed. There, in the distance, the Big Blue Group saw a person trapped underneath a burning tree trunk. Captain Falcon and Bowser started to lift up the heavy rubbish as Marth and Duck Hunt pulled out the person who was trapped. R.O.B. lifted the unconscious man in his robotic arms, laying him down. The stranger was revealed to have white hair, a black coat with golden traces, and in his partially gloved hands were a sword shaped like lightning and a tome with four symbols: a lightning bolt, a flame, a wind slash, and a dark eye, each one signifying thunder, fire, wind, and death. The man slowly stirred up, looking at Jigglypuff now cuddling to his side for comfort.

"Where… where am I?" the man asked, getting up. "The last thing I remember was waking up here with no memory of what happened, dragons that I've never seen before showed up and started burning the forest… The last thing I saw was the sky growing dark and strange, purple entities raining…"

"What matters is that you're alright," Ike replied. "Tell us, stranger. What brings you here in our aid of need?"

"Where are my manners?" the man answered in the form of a question. "I forgot to introduce myself. My name's Robin, and I'm a very skilled tactician in both planning and magic."

"You were with someone, weren't you?" Pit asked.

"Oh, I was," Robin answered. "I was with a princess warrior named Lucina, but when those monsters attacked, I was alone when I woke up and I couldn't find her anywhere…" The fighters then started hearing laughing from the distance, bringing up the fighters' guards. Appeared right in front of them was a tall, shadowy man. He was cloaked in dark purple and black, and he carried a book with the cover signifying death. His face showed signs of elderly age, and he was stroking his small black beard with long fingernails.

"Validar!" Robin exclaimed. Just then, the shadowy mage dropped down onto the ground, almost as if he was wounded. He then slowly absorbed the Shadow Bugs, forming into a demonic dragon with six purple eyes, two long, golden horns, and thin, spidery legs, towering over the fighters. Before the warriors could advance, the dragon shrunk back, revealing Validar once again.

"So sorry about transforming into the Fell Dragon Grima," Validar hissed in glee. "Hard to keep him inside your body when you're the one possessed through series of precise rituals…"

"Possessed?" Robin asked.

"Yes," Validar answered. "With the time of reckoning upon us, it's worth it to be the vessel of your master when Tabuu calls upon all of us to rebuild the Great Maze. Soon, there will be a time when everyone will finally get what they want…"

"Excuse me… get what they want?" Ike objected. "If they really want us to feel happy once more, why don't they give us presents? Why do they have to go out in a full-blown war against us?" Silence lingered in the air as the trembling Validar slowly shifted away from the fighters.

"I… have to go…" With a puff of smoke, Validar vanished into the black-red cloud.

"That's odd," Robin asked himself. "I clearly thought Validar would be more menacing than that… almost as if some otherworldly force doing something to make him so... cowardly…" Suddenly, with a flash of lightning, a terrifying monster landed right in front of the fighters. Its body started glowing an eerie red marbled with black, and pieces of its body looked like they were made out of ancient stone. Its four eyes laid horizontally on its rocky face were glowing in an order of white, red, blue, and yellow. Its four arms were carrying an arm cannon of the wind element, a glowing ball of the fire element, a long, plasmatic sword of the water element, and a huge spear with metal at the tip of the thunder element. The creature sprouted two dragon wings on its back and was standing in a form similar to Grima. Fused to itself was a crystal cage which appeared to be its control center. With a mighty roar, the creature took off into the air.

"What is that thing!?" Pit asked, terrified.

"Loos like some sort of Blight Ganon," Captain Falcon answered. "Heard it from Ganondorf's gossips when he was reigning as captain of the Subspace Army. Strange how it looks like all four of them combined somehow to create what Validar called his master…"

"Looks like we're going to have to call it a Blight Grima since it behaves awfully a lot like Grima…" Robin answered, bringing out his tome and Levin Sword. The Blight Grima rushed towards the warriors like a dragon. Marth and Ike jumped out of the way just in time, but Pit was pinned to the ground by its weight. Jigglypuff floated in and started attacking with soft-looking by nasty punches as the Blight Grima breathed a mixed elemental storm on Pit's body, scarring him a touch. As Jigglypuff kept landing hits with Donkey Kong, Robin pulled out his Thunder Tome and started charging his Thoron. The Wind Elemental arm cannon and the Fire Elemental ball fired blasts of magic at the incoming fighters. Wario rode in on his bike with Mr. Game & Watch before jumping off and farting at the Blight Grima's face. With the monster angry, it got off Pit, following Wario as Mr. Game & Watch jumped onto its back, trying to whack the crystal cage on its back.

Olimar stood from a distance as he commanded his Pikmin to latch onto the monster as gashes started forming on its arms and legs. With a huge whip of its tail, the Blight Grima forced the fighters to either jump or duck. After they got up, Robin was just about ready to fire his Thoron, but the monster started slashing with its Water Elemental sword. With another tome ready for use, Robin started using Arcfire at the creature, burning its face. R.O.B. jumped onto the Blight Grima's back, attacking the crystal cage with Mr. Game & Watch. Peach and Bowser pelted the incoming monster with fireballs and turnips but were quickly knocked onto the ground with its Thunder Element spear, which launched deadly bolts in all directions. After dodging the fast arms, Robin noticed R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch attacking the crystal cage, which was weakening the monster.

"Everyone, don't attack its body!" Robin yelled. "If you want a quick kill, aim for the cage! It's the exposed weakness!" Robin then jumped into the air, using Elwind and Nosferatu on the Blight Grima's crystal cage. Pit flew towards the creature, avoiding its four deadly arms and started firing arrows of light with Palutena's Bow at the cage. As the fighters kept avoiding the monster's attacks and attacking the crystal cage, the monster eventually was on the brink of collapsing as its cage was starting to show cracks on its surface.

"Final blow!" Robin yelled as everyone jumped out of the way to watch out for the final blast from the Blight Grima's four arms. "Thoron!" With a stream of lightning hitting the monster's cage, R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch jumped out of the way, watching as the Blight Grima fell to the ground. As everyone cheered for their victory, the crystal cage broke, revealing a warrior made entirely out of Shadow Bugs. Unsheathing a flaming chainsaw sword, the possessed fighter glared at the others with a look of rage and flew right towards them.

Duck Hunt started running in, pulling out a rusty can and started kicking it, an 8-bit reticle aiming and firing at the metal gunpowder-filled can. As soon as the reticle and the can hit each other at the Shadow Bug fighter, it caused a fiery explosion which knocked him back. Once he got back up, he grabbed ahold of Robin. The Shadow Bug fighter's hands turned into vicious, man-eating claws, slashing and jabbing at the tactician. Pit flew into his rescue using Palutena's Power of Flight. Grabbing his Upperdash Arm, the white-garmented angel whacked the Shadow Bug fighter in the head, releasing Robin of his grabbed state. The stranger got up, releasing a long spear-like weapon from his hand that stabbed the ground, causing him to fly with a nasty kick towards Olimar and Mr. Game & Watch. The two fighters jumped out of the way just in time, leaving the Shadow Bug fighter open for a flurry of attacks from Donkey Kong. Once the gorilla landed the last hit, the Shadow Bug fighter felt himself Falcon Punched right in the chest by Captain Falcon, giving him a nasty burn by the deadly final blow. As the stranger's body fell down stone-cold, the Shadow Bugs that surrounded him retreated away with the wind, leaving only their victim's trophy behind.

Duck Hunt started sniffing the trophy's base, wondering what to do with the kinky prize from the warrior's former self. Once the duck started poking the dog in confusion of what to do, the bird flew on top of the side of the base, not even knowing the help of another fighter can reanimate the said fighter. Once the duck felt the base was starting to disappear, he flew back onto the dog's back as the other fighters saw who they just saved. As they observed, the fighter they rescued had silver hair with brown-red eyes and slightly vertical pupils. He was wearing silver-white armor mixed with velvety black, and his blue cape flowed behind him. He showed he had only bare feet, and his golden chainsaw sword, the Yato Blade, was glowing a crimson-pink mist.

"…What the… What happened to me?" the stranger asked.

"It's okay, stranger," Robin answered. "You safe with us now."

"We've been noticing we've dealt a few heavy blows on you when you were possessed," Pit said, rubbing his aching neck.

"Possessed?" the stranger asked.

"Oh, yeah… right…" Pit stammered. "You've been taken over by Shadow Bugs and… It's a long story, basically. Anyway, what's your name? I'm Pit, captain of Lady Palutena's guard."

"My name's Corrin, Prince of Hoshido and Nohr," the stranger answered.

"How come you're the prince of TWO kingdoms?" Peach asked.

"Well, all I remember is my birth started the war between two nations, forcing me to go into hiding when I was forced to make a life-changing decision," Corrin answered.

"Well, we'll all have to make a choice, someday," Marth answered.

"Yeah, like we're forced to find our friends in an event that'll destroy not only this world but ours as well," Ike butted in. "And if we don't rescue them now and prepare for the final battle, we'll be stuck here enslaved, never knowing of the worlds that were destroyed in the making and rebuilding of the Great Maze."

"So, you're participating in a life-changing crisis that'll end both worlds as you know it?" Corrin asked. "Do you mind if I join you? These… Subspace monsters are spawning everywhere, making their numbers more powerful."

"I guess you could come along," Peach answered. "But… how'll we get to Sonic and his buddies in time before the monsters do?"

"Leave that to me," Corrin answered. Before any of the fighters could ask him, the half-dragon prince transformed himself into a winged, reptilian beast, his face completely changed with small antlers.

"How could you do that?" Pit asked in wonder.

Corrin in his dragon form spat out a gush of water on the ground, spelling out, "I'm a half-dragon so I can transform into one at will. Come on. I'll take you to the direction you were heading to. Thanks for saving me, BTW." While Corrin was talking this whole time, Ike was away, fully dressed in the clothing he wore back when he was a teenager. No one questioned why the sudden change, but time was running low, so there was not enough to ask.

"Let's get going then," Ike answered in his younger self, pulling out the Ragnell and jumping on the half-dragon's back. The fighters who couldn't fly all got on Corrin's back, and both Pit and Duck Hunt were the only ones who passed, for even though the dog was the heavier one of the two in the Duck Hunt gang, the duck was still able to fly and carry the mutt fast enough to catch up to the others. Corrin then took off into the sky with the Big Blue Group, followed by Pit and Duck Hunt, flying off to the northwest.


As time went by, the Wolfen Assault Group with the Wii Fit Trainer got to the edge of the Subspace Army's base camp, hiding in plain sight. The fighters watched from the distance as they saw M. Bison demand the Fire Primids a way in as they opened the gate doors.

"Never really liked the guy anyway," Wii Fit Trainer sighed. "We're going to have to break our way in, no matter what it takes to get what we need."

"What are we looking for again," Falco asked, tired off his ass.

"We need to find where they're keeping your friends, remember?" Wii Fit Trainer answered in the form of a question.

"How do we break in?" Ness asked, Pikachu cuddling close to him.

"Simply attacking the monsters is what we don't do anymore," Wii Fit Trainer answered. "Right now, we'll have to break in through sneaking pastures."

"She's right," Fox said. "Simply attacking the monsters won't be enough. It's the cameras we have to worry about." When the fighters gazed out of the bushes, they saw two surveillance cameras pinned to the sides of the gate.

"These devices have 360-degree cameras, always on 24/7," Wii Fit Trainer answered. "No matter what we do, we'll always get caught by whatever powerful monster comes to our heads and be in serious trouble. The only way we could get in is if someone is powerful enough to bust in and break the security system, and not just through hacking. Not even the best of code-breakers could disable it. You'll have to literally destroy it with brutal force."

"I think that could be arranged," Ganondorf spoke from a short distance. When the other fighters turned their heads, they saw Ganondorf was hiding in the bushes this whole time, giving himself a new look. As the fighters observed, Ganondorf now has a pointier nose, longer red hair, and clothes that really styled a Gerudo chief. His long, red cape decorated with gold draped over his back, and he was wielding a thick, rusty sword.

"What do you think?" Ganondorf boasted. "With a few companions, we'll break in in no time! Fox! Ness! You're with me! Everyone else wait outside until we get us all in." The Gerudo chief put away his thick-ended sword, bringing Fox McCloud and Ness along with him.

"Shouldn't we think of a way to break in without being spotted?" Ness asked.

"That's the whole idea of this world," Ganondorf answered. "We never do." The three recruited warriors jumped out of the bushes, landing in front of the Fire Primids, who noticed them. Fox grabbed his blaster and fired at one of the Fire Primids before it could even launch a flame, and Ganondorf beheaded the other before it could contact the others with a special alarm it carried. The cameras picked up everything, but Ness used his baseball bat and whacked the devices, breaking their screens and causing them to malfunction and combust.

"That wasn't so bad, was it?" Ganondorf asked the other two fighters.

"Those cameras might have already picked up the footage while we were attacking the guards," Fox answered. "Any moment now, security is gonna come in and mess us up. We have to get in there and fast." The three fighters nodded, looking back at their hiding place before breaking the steel door down. As the recruited teammates were heading down the Subspace base that Wii Fit Trainer described, Ness thought he could try talking to Ganondorf.

"So, do you know anything about your past?" Ness asked. "Ten years have passed, and the only fighters we know that haven't been transformed are already having contact with this Smash Ball already in our time of need."

"I was the King of Evil back when I thought I was working for the Master Hand," Ganondorf answered. "Ten years ago, I was driven by greed for Hyrule's domain, but I didn't know why until today. Once we find out where are friends are, I can guarantee you I won't try to murder another important species again."

"That's why you're you clarified you're evil," Fox interrupted. "You don't care who you kill, as long as you get your way."

"When I killed the Ancients ten years ago," Ganondorf went on, "I didn't know WHY I did it. Maybe it's because Tabuu no longer saw a use for them and so wiped them out in the most gruesome way imaginable…"

"Guys, do you hear something?" Ness asked, lowering his voice. From what the three fighters heard in the walls, they heard heavy punches and kicks, and unholy screams from the monsters.

"Over here!" Fox cried. He was already running off in the hallway, with Ness and Ganondorf following him. When they came across a gallery of doors, they kicked down the one where the noise was the loudest. There, in the chaos, they saw a martial artist, barefoot, wearing a red headband on his forehead and keeping up his black hair. His sweating torso and six-pack were showing through his white, torn-up robe, all barefoot as shown by his ragged pants and black belt.

"Shinku Hadoken!" the stranger yelled as he clasped his hand and formed a massive fireball, launching it at certain monsters, such as the Giant UFOs and the Octoroks, and burning them. He then felt himself zapped by an incoming Glunder, but he used his Focus Punch and stopped the Subspace monster dead in its tracks. As all of the creatures in the room were cleared, the stranger looked at Ganondorf, Fox, and Ness at the door's frame.

"I didn't notice you were here this whole time," the stranger said, removing the headband just to wipe his head.

"So, let me get this straight," Ganondorf asked. "You're here the same way we got in? To disable the security to force the Subspace Army to lose connection with the other bases and find out who's captured so you can help them escape?"

"That what you guys are trying to do as well?" the stranger answered in the form of another question, tying his red headband onto his forehead again. "Guess we're looking for the same thing. The monks I was trained with called me Ryu, the tireless wanderer. And you must be?"

"I'm Fox McCloud," Fox answered. "This is Ganondorf, the ex-King of Darkness and chief of the Gerudo who reign in the Black Desert Valley. The boy we have here is Ness, and he's special with his psychic powers."

"Mind if I join you?" Ryu asked. "I've been looking for a way out ever since I got in. These monsters are planning something, and whatever it is can't be good."

"Never is," Ness replied. Then, as the recruited teammates were walking out of the room to look for a way into the security facility, the Subspace computer sounded out throughout the hallway.

"WARNING! WARNING! Intruders have breached the facility. Please report to suspects immediately… located within the main door gallery," the Subspace computer echoed. Shadow Bugs and Miitopian monsters leaked out of the vents, surrounding the four fighters.

"Looks like we'll have to fight our way into the security chamber," Ganondorf said. "Sure hope the others outside are okay…"

Waiting in the bushes outside the gate, Falco Lombardi was watching as he saw the area was completely empty.

"They've been gone for too long," Falco told the others. "Besides, nothing has happened ever since they busted in."

"But Ganondorf and his companions told us to wait here, no matter what happens," Wii Fit Trainer objected. "At least until the lights are off, we're not going to break in just yet."

"You know how much I love a good danger," Falco answered. "Even if we all have to face one of the worst monsters yet, I'll still be able to break in no problemo…" Before Falco could finish, a tiny earthquake that nobody noticed rumbled. A small rock landed on the dirt, but it was sharp enough to poke a creature that had lain dormant for a long time. The rustling of the bushes parted way for a massive Clubberskull, who just so happened to find their hiding spot outside the gateway as the other fighters looked up in fright.

"Spoke too soon," Falco mumbled. Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Kirby, King Dedede, Yoshi, and Luigi all cried in fear.

"Run, everybody! RUN!" Luigi cried. The Clubberskull let out an unnatural roar, scaring the fighters out of their hiding spot. Since it was powered by Shadow Bugs, it almost felt impossible to beat the monster, as Falco tested with his blaster and reflector. The Wolfen Assault Group started running off, trying to lose the fast, diabolical beast. Its two heavy arms dug deep in the ground, causing massive shakes that attempted to stun the fighters, but they jumped just in time. Primids stood in their way, ready to attack, but the Wolfen Assault Group threw them right in the Clubberskull's only eye. Eventually, the fighters saw their only chance of escape was through the Subspace military jets and copters but realized the metal fence surrounding it was powered with volts so deadly even Pikachu couldn't handle them.

The Clubberskull jumped in front of the fighters, slamming its arms and not even realizing it ripped a way through. As the Clubberskull didn't even feel shockingly deadly bolts of lightning surge through its gruesome body, the Wolfen Assault Group ran towards a Subspace copter, kicking the Primids out. Once Falco got the copter running in the air, he steered it out of the area as the Clubberskull jumped again, slamming its fists onto almost all of the now-demolished aircrafts. Diddy Kong grabbed the machine gun at the side of the jump pad of the copter, firing away at the Clubberskull. Once the beast noticed the Wolfen Assault Group was getting away in a copter, the Clubberskull started smashing through half of the Subspace base, sounding off an alarm. All sorts of Primids tried to pin down the Clubberskull with grappling hooks with tasers attached to them, but the beast started swinging the creatures back and forth, scratching the walls.

"I'm gonna go get the others!" Falco cried.

"It's too late!" Luigi objected. "The base is gonna blow up in a few seconds, and we'll lose not only the friends we had before but the friends we have now!"

"Gonna try anyway!" Falco repeated. "Falco Lombardi to Fox McCloud! Do you read me? Over!"

Inside the base, Ganondorf, Ryu, Fox, and Ness were attacking the monsters with whatever equipment they had, trying to save their friends from the incoming Giant UFOs that will abduct them and take them far away. Fox noticed his communicator was receiving transmission, so he pressed the receiver button on his headset.

"Fox McCloud to Falco Lombardi! I hear you! Over!" Fox yelled.

"I'm gonna blast a way in! Over!" Falco said over his headset. The rest of the Wolfen Assault Group saw the surviving Primids got in fighter jets of their own ready to fire at the copter.

"No use, Falco!" Fox yelled as the monsters whaled in on the group. "We'll bust the security and you get outta here! Besides, these walls are impenetrable! You did your best. Hope we'll meet again another time… Over…"

"No time for giving up!" Ryu yelled as he used his Shoryuken on an Ancient Robot. "There's gotta be a way in to break us out!" In the copter, Kirby watched as the Subspace jets were about to fire at them. With his cuddly powers, the pink puffball created out of the pureness of his heart a Star Allies Sparkler. Wearing a heart-shaped visor, Kirby, with a squeal, helped everyone in the copter to get on the creation he made. Once the jets fired missiles at the copter, the Star Allies Sparkler flew out of the midair explosion with everyone on it. With a star-shaped blast, Kirby released out of his mouth a beam to melt a hole into the roof. Ganondorf, Ryu, Fox, and Ness all saw their way out, and so jumped out of the cooling-off hole and onto the Star Allies Sparkler. The Giant UFOs flew in to stop them, but Kirby launched another blast to blow the Miitopia monsters out of the sky, flying off into the distance.

"How did Kirby do that?" Fox asked Falco.

"I dunno," Falco answered. "Always best not to either underestimate or ask the little guy." Kirby turned towards the recruited Wolfen Assault Group, smiling at them as the Subspace base blew up right behind them.

"Where do we go from here?" Ryu asked everyone. "We don't have any info on where any prisoners might be, and I'm just stuck with you in the middle of nowhere."

"Poyo!" Kirby peeped.

"Pika!" Pikachu chimed.

"We'll be going somewhere, all right," Wii Fit Trainer said. "To the place where it all began… the main tower next to the Ruins of the Ancients: the Yggdrasil." When the fighters looked from a distance, they saw the tower they were heading to was big enough to spot from a very far journey, but the Star Allies Sparkler that Kirby mysteriously made would get them there in no time.

Chapter 14: The City Of The Darkest Fears

Summary:

Snake and his group find the clones, aware that Shadow Mewtwo needs help. Meanwhile, Sonic's gang confronts Civiltatula: once a civilization, now a ghost town.

Chapter Text

Heading down south, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Samus, Toon Link, and Villager were looking for whatever friends they could reunite with. Just as soon as they went over the last hill in the forest, the fighters saw a crash-landed jet submerged deep in the ground. As soon as the replicates and Villager lifted the cockpit hood, they saw what appeared to be Snake, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer with Ivysaur and Squirtle, Young Link, and Pichu. Dragging their unconscious bodies outside, the fighters carried them far off from the exploding jet.

Snake rubbed his eyes, looking at the new faces he's seen.

"…Mario? Link? Zelda? Zero Suit?" Snake moaned. The soldier got up, rubbing his face. "The hell happened to you guys? Who the hell is this kid you brought with you?"

Wolf, straightening his uniform, looked at the new faces he came across. Red kept Ivysaur and Squirtle out of their Pokéballs just to see what they're looking at here. Young Link slowly creeped towards Toon Link, the two of them mimicking each other like from a mirror.

"Sorry for first introductions," Dr. Mario stammered. "I'm-a Dr. Mario, and this here's Samus, Sheik, Toon Link, and Villager."

"I recognize most of them," Snake answered.

"We noticed you're the friends our original masters talked about," Sheik said. "Is there, by chance, any reason why your jet crashed?"

"It started when we had just escaped our prison," Popo answered. "We had just busted out, and a short while later, there was a blast that knocked our jet here!"

"Did you catch the suspect?" Toon Link asked.

"We took a GOOD look at him," Nana answered.

"Where is he now?" Sheik asked. Villager, Pichu, and Young Link looked at the crashed jet, terrified. The other fighters didn't notice what they were really staring at.

"He's… right there… in front of us…" Young Link stammered. The fighters looked at the rubble, noticing the one creature crazy enough to destroy their jet was none other than Ridley. The scratch marks on the hull and the tail whips with the remaining fire explained everything. The beast was to blame.

"Ridley!" Samus said. "Thought you were dead for good, though you're a lot smaller than I remembered…"

"It was all thanks to an accident from one of the so-called 'Tabuu worshipers'," Ridley hissed. "I noticed everything changed around here, and I just wanted to have a little fun."

"By destroying our only chance out of the Subspace Army?" Snake interrupted.

"Hey!" Ridley objected. "It was self-defense!"

"Just tell us why you're here," Red asked, Squirtle and Ivysaur at his side.

"I want to settle a few scores on people who double-crossed me in the past," Ridley answered.

"Which means…?" Samus asked.

"They ruined my life ever since they resurrected me!" Ridley roared. "Ten years, I had been waiting for a moment to get revenge, but I noticed… things have changed… Before I came back to life, I was greeted with something far more precious than gold or jewels, like I was destined with something…"

"Okay, we've heard enough of the monster's lies," Samus said, loading her arm cannon.

"Wait, girl!" Snake objected, standing in front of her. "This could mean one of the Smash Balls everyone's talking about. Don't you think so? They may have all sorts of monsters on their side, but we a Ridley. Isn't it great to finally meet one of the big guns?"

"Out of my way, serpent," Samus replied, "unless I have to get through you too. Literally."

"Don't you know WHY you want to kill me?" Ridley asked, trembling. "The destined object was probably leading me to join you. I have no idea why… I just never had a friend before…" Samus lowered her weapon, giving the other fighters a sigh of relief. Just then, Samus quickly picked up her arm cannon and fired, but not at the last Space Pirate. Instead, she only scrapped the tip of his right wing, aiming at something else. The other fighters looked at the area Samus fired, noticing a body was lying down on the soft grass in the black-red sky. When he got up, it was revealed to be Shadow Mewtwo, though he was moving like he never slept in days: jittery and afraid.

"You were trying to attack us," Samus remarked as she walked towards the wounded Pokémon, who noticed he was charging a Shadow Ball.

"It's not my fault!" Shadow Mewtwo telepathized in fear. "L-listen! There's a device… a map to its location hidden deep within the city of Civiltatula… only then can you release me from my… deepest n-nightmares…" Shadow Mewtwo started crawling backwards on his back, the other fighters looking at each other.

"Looks like he's in pain," Young Link said.

"You think?" Toon Link said. Before any of the other fighters could figure out what was up with Shadow Mewtwo, they heard laughing from a distance.

"How conspicuous, Shadow Mewtwo," the voice echoed. "No matter how many times you run from me, the Phantom Ruby will target the Shadow Synergy Stone and lead me to some fresh meat…" The stranger preforming the voice suddenly appeared out of nowhere, creating red, pixelated mist around him. The fighters started taking their stances, Ridley scraping the ground with his claws.

"Stay away from this, whoever you are!" Sheik yelled, rubbing her golden accessories.

"I'm not here for a simple fight, buffoons," the stranger replied, hovering in the air.

"You're one of the guys who attacked us back when we first arrived in the Ruins of the Ancients!" Snake replied, holding a loaded gun.

"Correct you are," the stranger replied, staring at Shadow Mewtwo. "You may call me Infinite, in the brief moments that remain of you."

"Don't be getting too soft, Infinite," Samus objected. "Tell us, what do you think you're doing?"

"I'm just here for my friend," Infinite answered. "He seems so lonely."

"He's in pain, you idiot!" Snake replied. "He wants that Shadow Synergy Stone removed, and we'll be taking him to a device that'll bring him back to the Pokémon he once was."

"Now, how are we going to provide for the Subspace Army without more Shadow Bugs?" Infinite replied. "Of course, if you really want to get to Civiltatula, you'll head to the Black City in the far northeast. If you really want to see your Shadow Mewtwo alive and well, I'll take good care of him while you run. Flee, screaming for mercy, and I'll let you live…"

"Don't trust you," Snake replied. As he looked at Shadow Mewtwo again, he noticed, along with the other fighters, that the Pokémon vanished during the conversation.

"Now look what you've done," Infinite replied in anger. "You've stalled me so that my prize could get away…"

"What?" Nana asked. "No we didn't."

"You're wasting my time, mortals," Infinite said, charging up a red plasma ball. "Time to die." With a blast from the red plasma ball, Infinite made sure the Phantom Ruby was a heat-tracker. The plasma ball was targeting Samus, but she curled up into a ball and rolled away just in time. The explosion which was generated by the plasma ball started generating into a red, pixelated arena, all sealed inside a transparent dome, trapping the warriors inside.

"Welcome to the boss level," Infinite echoed, "where I am in charge of the rules. And I will summon whatever I like." Ridley flew into the air to grab ahold of Infinite, but the masked jackal spawned cubes out of nowhere which thrusted right at him. They were coming in fast, but Ridley managed to dodge them all just in time before being hit by one, starting to get strangled by strange tentacles from the arena's treadmill floor. The illusion that Infinite created seemed like the fighters were running fast towards him in a prison treadmill, when really they were trapped in one place. Infinite started firing Phantom Bricks at Toon Link and Young Link, who were running towards him while everyone else was avoiding the chaos created by the masked jackal. Young Link was blocking the deadly blows while Toon Link used his clawshot and hooked onto Infinite's tail, lifting himself up. Once Infinite noticed someone was locked onto him, Toon Link landed on his face, whacking the masked jackal with his Master Sword. The fighter's enemy was lowered enough for Young Link to jump onto Infinite, pinning him to the ground and jabbing at the Phantom Ruby with his Kokiri Sword.

Infinite grabbed ahold of Young Link, creating more Phantom Bricks and knocking Young Link off. Infinite then created holograms of heat-tracking missiles. The holographic missiles started flying towards the fighters who were still dealing with giant tentacles made from the Phantom Bricks. Samus noticed the missiles that were incoming, so she teamed up with Pichu and Ridley, avoiding those that were targeting them. Pichu then started using Thunder on Infinite, summoning a lightning cloud to zap him. Once Infinite was stunned, Ridley flew in and started clawing the jackal's face. The Phantom Ruby was starting to show a small crack on its surface, so Dr. Mario avoided more of the Phantom Brick tentacles and holographic missiles. Running as fast as he could to outrun the treadmill, the doctor jumped high enough to grab the jackal's leg. While Villager was fighting off more of the chaos created by Infinite, he noticed the jackal was being strong enough to sustain attacks from the rest of the gang and still keep in control of all the racket. Infinite then created another bundle of holographic missiles, and they all flew towards Villager. As soon as Snake started throwing grenades and Wolf blasts form his gun, Villager jumped over the missiles and pocketed one, throwing it back at Infinite. The blast obstructed the jackal's view, causing some of the tentacles, Phantom Bricks, and even part of the treadmill arena to vanish like a glitch found in a computer.

"Go, Ivysaur! Go, Squirtle!" Red yelled, pinned to the back of the sides while avoiding the tentacles. Ivysaur and Squirtle started firing their elemental powers at Infinite while the Ice Climbers hopped to and fro between the obstacles to whack their icy hammers in the masked jackal's face. As soon as Infinite was down to the ground, the arena almost disappearing, Ridley flew in with a fiery blast, slashing and clawing the wielder of the Phantom Ruby. Weakened, Infinite slowly got up, noticing the Phantom Ruby on his chest was starting to crack.

"Well, I guess this is what you get for trying," Infinite scoffed. The fighters ran towards him as soon as the arena vanished, ready to attack again.

"Nice job for beating me so far," Infinite told the fighters. "This isn't the end, however. It'll be coming… very soon…" With a menacing laugh, Infinite warped out of the zone, leaving only a fragment of the Phantom Ruby. Samus picked it up, noticing the piece of the Shadow Synergy Stone that was next to it at that time. The bounty hunter slowly made the two touch, noticing the spark of life they're creating. As soon as the two shards were placed together, a small, white flower bloomed right below her feet, followed by the two fragments disappearing.

"If what these two beings say is true about being related to one another, that could mean doom for us all," Samus told the others. "Ridley, sorry about trying to kill you like you did ten years ago…"

"Sorry for being a lying brat," Ridley answered. "We'll have to get to Civiltatula and find that map to the special machine at all costs. I've heard it could replicate your long-lost memories and cast out any evil that has possessed you. Before, all we had to do is simply beat the vessel of the Shadow Bugs, but since times have changed, we'll just have to do it the hard way by heading into the forbidden city."

"Let's-a get going then," Dr. Mario said. The half of the Prime Ship Group then started walking off, into the city of the darkest fears.

*location skip

As the sky turned so dark that not even the black-red cloud of the Subspace Army was visible, the rain started pouring heavily in the middle of the night. The thin fog started rolling in, but the neon lights were shining bright enough to go through the mist. Walking on the streets was a lone person, looking mighty sad. She was wearing pink shows with cyan laces, black shorts with a white t-shirt with strange language written on it, and she had a bright orange hairstyle that resembled a lot like a squid. Her eyes were surrounded by a small, dark band, and she had orange pupils and pointed ears. The strange-looking squid girl looked around the empty place, afraid of any monsters to come attack her, for she had no weapon to defend herself. Hearing an incoming spaceship, she looked up into the air to notice the prison ship hovering over the area. Running as fast as she could, the squid girl hid in a street alley behind the trash cans. Three figures dropped from the ship, looking around for any prisoners. They were none other than the Mii Fighters in their new uniforms as the Ultimates Reborn. They all had metallic breathers with large glowing goggles of their favorite color, and they were wearing black camo hoodies with the shape of the Master Core with the Smash Ball imprinted on their backs, still exposing their hair without the hood. The Brawler Ultimate Reborn had a red imprint, the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn a dark blue, and the Gunner Ultimate Reborn a yellow imprint. Looking around, a small group of Primids with multicolored ink-filled tanks and guns dropped from the ship.

"Looks like it's all clear, but don't be fooled by appearances," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn said.

"Whatever you do, keep a low profile and terrorize as much as you can," the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn told the Primids.

"Capture whatever prisoners you could find and report when you're done clearing the area," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn ordered. Just like that, the three Ultimates Reborn jumped back onto the prison ship and flew off, leaving the Primids to search the area. The squid girl accidently knocked over a trash can while peeking over to see what was going on, and only one Primid heard the noise from the alley. The daemonic creature shuffled towards the noise, the Splattershot in its hands. The squid girl suddenly transformed into her cephalopod form, camouflaging her orange body in the multi-colored trash.

While the Primid was looking around for the cause of the noise, the orange squid quietly squirmed out of the trash, transforming back to her humanoid form. Not making a noise, the squid girl put the Primid in a headlock, strangling the monster. Just as the Primid was about to fire its Splattershot, the squid girl threw the creature behind her, grabbed the handle of the tank's gun, and blasted the Primid's brains out with Shadow Bug-colored ink. Slipping the Splattershot off the dead Primid's back, the squid girl put the device on, and the ink inside it transformed into the color same as her squid-like hair. Then, the squid girl noticed the other Primids heard the noise coming from the alley. As soon as the squid girl heard the incoming shuffles, she threw a pyramid-shaped Splat Bomb right in front of the monsters. Once she walked out, all that was left was orange ink covering Shadow Bug-bleeding bodies. Looking off into the distance, the squid girl saw the prison ship heading to the tallest tower in the city, where it met up with the Winged Firestorm Mini.

That'll teach those monsters not to mess with the Inklings' technology, the squid girl chirped in her own language. I'm going to be getting those plans for the devices if it's the last thing I'll ever do. I'm heading off for the Olympius. Clicking her Splattershot, the Inkling transformed into her squid self and swam through the ink, emerging at the other side of the road where more Subspace monsters were waiting for her. The Inkling took out a Splat Roller and started charging at the incoming Autolances, burying them in the ground and splatting their heads off. Incoming Scope Primids perched on the rooftops, firing at Inkling. The squid girl noticed where the yellow shots were coming from, and used her Super Jump move to hop onto the roofs and use her Splattershot to fire at the Primids. She jumped back onto the street to continue attacking rival Octoling clones created from Shadow Bugs, their eyes glowing red. As she avoided the enemy ink, she covered it with her own and swiftly swam past the enemies, planting another Splat Bomb behind them.

"Woomy!" the Inkling chirped, looking behind the desolation she caused to her rivals. Just then, she saw an incoming truck speeding past her, and it was also heading towards the tower she was running towards. Creating an ink path with her Splattershot, Inkling turned into her squid form and started swimming in the ink towards her destination. However, before she was about to catch up with the truck in another alley, something or someone ran right over her. The Inkling immediately jumped out, turning back into her normal form and clasping over her Splattershot. When she looked at who or what kicked her out of the ink trail, she saw what appeared to be Sonic, Meta Knight, Bayonetta, Palutena, Dark Pit, Lucas, Charizard, Little Mac, Shulk, and Rosalina & Luma.

"Woah, woah, woah!" Sonic said once he felt something he ran over. As the blue hedgehog and the other fighters looked behind, they saw the orange-haired squid girl getting up.

"Sorry, miss," Sonic said as he helped Inkling up. "Didn't see you there since it's so dark…"

"How could you not see her incoming?" Shulk asked the blue hedgehog. "There was an ink trail right in front of you…"

"I guess you're right…" Sonic replied, rubbing the back of his head before turning towards the squid girl. "Hey… you must be one of the Inklings we were searching for, right?" The squid girl muttered in her language, which consisted of "strange fish dialogue".

"Any idea what she's saying?" Dark Pit remarked.

"She could probably understand our language and several others but not say it," Palutena answered. Inkling grabbed her Splattershot again and looked for a clear area to spread her ink. Firing at one of the building's walls, she managed to make a small mark. The squid girl then walked over, writing something in the ink with her finger. When she was finished, she spelled out the word "Clementine" whist pointing to herself.

"Clementine, huh?" Bayonetta replied. "That's your name?"

Clementine chirped while nodding.

"So, Clementine," Sonic asked, "do you think you could translate these?" The blue hedgehog handed Inkling the blueprints they had before, trying to keep them dry from the heavy rain. Charizard unfurled his right wing to keep the prints dry as the squid girl observed. Giving the blueprints back to Sonic and the others, Clementine ran back to the ink splatter on the building wall, writing another message.

"I've seen those devices before," the writing spelled out while Inkling was chirping. "It was hidden in the tallest tower, deep in the center of the city, along with my species' technology. The Subspace Army call it the Olympius."

"Do you think you could take us there?" Meta Knight asked. "You are pretty much skilled with distant combat, according to your Splattershot."

The Inkling pulled out her Splattershot, pointing to the direction of the tower.

Let's do this, boys! Let's blow up the Olympius and weaken the Subspace Army! Clementine chirped in her own language before running off.

"What'd she say?" Little Mac asked.

"I have no idea," Sonic replied before heading off as well. Charizard growled as he was trying to keep the tip of his tail nice and dry from the rain. Lucas managed to come in and create a mini PSI Magnet to protect the Pokémon's tail tip.

"Just in case you don't wanna die from the extinguished flame," Lucas said. Charizard growled in thanks, flying off towards the fighters who have gone ahead of them with Lucas following him. Running off into the streets, Inkling started chirping again, waiting for the truck from before. Once the vehicle drove past them, Clementine grabbed the back of the truck, signifying the others to jump on. Sonic grabbed onto Inkling's legs first, followed by Bayonetta, Little Mac, Shulk, Charizard, Lucas, Rosalina with her Luma, Palutena, and Dark Pit. Everyone held on for dear life as the truck was driving crazy-fast. Grabbing onto a ladder, the Inkling pulled everyone up, safe and sound. As they were on the roof of the truck, Octoling soldier clones and Feyeshes with Mite and Generators dropped out from the sky, all while music from the truck played. The catchy lyrics were loud enough to be heard from the fighters, and they went something like this:

Here we go, off the rails

Don't you know it's time to raise our sails?

It's freedom like you never knew

Don't need bags, or a pass

Say the word, I'll be there in a flash

You could say my hat is off to you

Oh, we can zoom all the way to the moon

From this great wide wacky world

Jump with me, grab coins with me

Oh yeah!

It's time to jump up in the air (Jump up in the air)

Jump up, don't be scared (Jump up, don't be scared)

Jump up and your cares will soar away (oohoohooh)

And if the dark clouds start to swirl (Dark clouds start to swirl)

Don't fear, don't shed a tear, 'cause

I'll be your 1UP Girl

So let's all jump up super high (Jump up super high)

High up in the sky (High up in the sky)

There's no power-up like dancing

You know that you're my superstar (You're my superstar)

No one else can take me this far

I'm flipping the switch

Get ready for this

Oh, let's do the odyssey!

Odyssey, ya see! (x7)

Odyssey, odyssey!

Spin the wheel, take a chance

Every journey starts a new romance

A new world's calling out to you

Take a turn, off the path

Find a new addition to the cast

You know that any captain needs a crew

Take it in stride as you move, side to side

They're just different points of view

Jump with me, grab coins with me

Oh yeah!

Come on and jump up in the air (Jump up in the air)

Jump without a care (Jump without a care)

Jump up 'cause you know that I'll be there

And if you find you're short on joy (Find you're short on joy)

Don't fret, just don't forget that

You're still our 1UP Boy

So go on, straighten up your cap (Straighten up your cap)

Let your toes begin to tap (Toes begin to tap)

This rhythm is a power 'shroom

Don't forget you're the superstar (You're the superstar)

No one else can make it this far

Put a comb through that 'stache

Now you've got panache

Oh, let's do the odyssey!

It's time to jump up in the air (Jump up in the air)

Jump up, don't be scared (Jump up don't be scared)

Jump up and your cares will soar away (oohoohooh)

And if the dark clouds start to swirl (Dark clouds start to swirl)

Don't fear, don't shed a tear, 'cause

I'll be your 1UP Girl

Now listen all you boys and girls (All you boys and girls)

All around the world (All around the world)

Don't be afraid to get up and move

You know that we're all superstars (We're all superstars)

We're the ones who've made it this far

Put a smile on that face

There's no time to waste

Oh, let's do the odyssey!

While the song was playing, a Winged Firestorm flew above the truck, raining Shadow Bugs on its roof. Big Primids and Metal Primids started forming, and Auroros with Bombeds hopped onto the top of the truck. The truck started passing through a cloud of natural amaranthine gas. Once the fighters breathed it in, they felt themselves taking more damage by the minute.

"Always hated amaranthine gas from the beginning," Sonic said.

"We gotta be careful, then," Lucas replied. Inkling then tossed a Splat Bomb, blowing up the first wave of Shadow Bug monsters. The incoming monsters started running towards Sonic, trying to grab him. Rosalina suddenly flew to his rescue, using the Star Bits from her Luma and slicing few of the Metal Primids open.

"Y'know, Rose, I would have ran from the situation safe and sound and attack with one of my Spin Dashes," Sonic told Rosalina.

"I was making sure you weren't hurt, if that's okay," Rosalina answered.

"Right…" Sonic muttered as he jumped into the air, using his Homing Attack at a Bombed that has Lucas cornered. After hitting its head, Sonic covered Lucas from the explosion as Meta Knight flew in, warping behind the Big Primids and cutting their heads off with his Galaxia Sword. Little Mac started punching the Auroros, counter-attacking the amaranthine gas in the air even if the Bombeds with their big explosions didn't touch him. Charizard released a puff of fire, burning the air and suffocating the Metal Primids, making them drop like bugs. After minutes of fighting in the large amaranthine gas cloud, the fighters were all exhausted from the critical damage, but they won against the monsters. Once the song that was playing finished, the amaranthine gas cloud vanished, and the black-red sky was clear enough to show that the truck was driving to the Olympius.

"Almost there," Meta Knight replied. "Once we find a way in, we'll burn this place to the ground so that none of this precious technology is in the hands of those creatures." Before the truck could pass through the tower's driveway, a shadowed figure flew from the sky, so fast it collided with the truck in a fiery blast and knocked everyone off. Sonic stirred up, looking at who or what smashed into them. After everyone got up, they saw what appeared to be Dr. Mario, Sheik, Samus, Toon Link, Villager, Snake, Pokémon Trainer with Ivysaur and Squirtle, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Snake, Pichu, and Young Link all riding Ridley. The fighters on the last Space Pirate jumped off, eager to greet everyone they missed.

"…Snake? Wolf? Red? Popo and Nana?" Lucas wept. "I THOUGHT YOU WERE ALL DEAD!" The blond-haired PSI boy ran towards the gang that they went with to the Ruins of the Ancients, giving them a big group hug. Charizard stirred up to find out the old gang they traveled with is all right, rushing towards Red and nuzzling him in relief.

"Good to see you're alive, Charizard," Red cried. Ivysaur and Squirtle walked right next to the fire Pokémon, ready to be brought back into their Pokéballs. The Pokémon Trainer bounced his three Pokéballs and drew Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur in, placing them in his pocket. Dark Pit was taking a look at Snake, wondering who that person is.

"Nice job with the emo look, Pitty," Snake giggled. "You decide to go dark all of a sudden?"

"It's Pittoo- I mean, Dark Pit," Pittoo snarled, his face red from embarrassment. Rosalina and Bayonetta walked to his side to meet these new companions.

"I'm sure our new guest didn't mean any harm," Bayonetta replied. "Which might make a good bodyguard, if you know what I'm saying…"

"I think I know what you mean," Snake replied, glaring at Cereza with a cheeky look.

"Wolf!" Sonic cheered as he hugged his old companion. "Like the new look, especially the eyepatch. I like the new uniform you brought with you to the Ancients, especially with the metallic legs Fox and Falco have now."

"What about the Ultimates?" Meta Knight asked everyone. "What happened to them?"

"…We… sorta killed them off…" Young Link replied.

"And their children are out for vengeance," Ridley butted in. "I dunno what happened, but it looks like some science experiment that brought back their long-lost voices…"

"Children?" Sonic replied. "The Ultimates had children? That were tested for their voices? What do they want? Revenge on you guys? Who the hell brought Ridley with these people!?"

"Easy… easy…" Dr. Mario said as he was calming down the hot-headed hedgehog. "He's a friend, okay? Nothing to get upset about… if we could figure out WHY he suddenly decided to become one of us… Is it because of his now-small size?" Clementine the Inkling slowly walked towards the Space Pirate, rubbing his rough skin while chirping.

"How did you guys survive?" Rosalina asked, hugging the Luma.

"Probably escaped…" Palutena replied. Before any of the fighters could continue with anything, the truck behind them exploded, and Bowser Jr. was crawling out with his damaged Koopa Clown Car and a dead Primid.

"Thanks a lot, you morons!" Bowser Jr. wailed. "Now my special delivery package is ruined and you had to fight to my favorite music and blow up the truck! How am I gonna explain this one to Papa…?"

"…Papa?" Nana asked, holding hands with Popo.

"Apparently, the little wimp is Bowser's only son," Sonic answered. "Dunno what happened to his mother after his birth…"

"Enough you LOSERS!" Bowser Jr. yelled. "Prepare and suffer the wrath of my new buddy: DJ Octavio – leader of the Octoling clan and expert partier!"

"What do you mean?" Emerging from the burning truck, a giant DJ box flew out, revealing a big, purple octopus with a golden-and-black cap on his head, covered in swag jewelry and surrounded by reeks. He placed his tentacles on the stereo, mixing a mad jam.

"Be seeing you, if you survive, that is!" Bowser Jr. laughed, flying off on his Koopa Clown Car. The fighters looked up into the air to fight the octopus DJ. Emerging from the DJ box, two metallic fists attached by chains flew out, covered in purple ink. Clementine saw the fists flying towards her first, and she immediately started shooting before they touched her. Sonic jumped up into the air and started spindashing, avoiding the enemy ink from the falling bombs. Grabbing onto Dr. Mario with his clawshot, Toon Link spun the doctor at the killer octopus DJ, slamming the fighter in Octavio's face.

As Dr. Mario was landing shocking punches at DJ Octavio, Pichu crawled onto the stuck fists and started using its electric powers, and since metal's a good conductor of electricity, it easily passed through the chains and traveled freely. The enemy ink on the ground was slowing and damaging fighters like the Ice Climbers and Wolf down, but they took good aim with their projectiles. DJ Octavio finally threw Dr. Mario out of the robot, firing Splat Bombs everywhere and creating a colorful explosion. As the party lights kept shining, everyone started getting temporarily blind from the bright seizures. Bayonetta and Snake quickly shut their eyes, firing their guns at the octopus DJ. The Octarian then started flying into the air, launching rocket fists at everyone. Dodging out of the way, Young Link teamed up with Villager and reflected/pocketed the incoming Splat Bombs and tossing it back at DJ Octavio. After the killer octopus DJ was starting to become weak, Sonic the Hedgehog home-attacked DJ Octavio as the final blow. Once the robot stereo was about to explode with colorful, deadly ink, so Palutena quickly tossed out a manhole cover she found on the road so that everyone could hide from the blast. Once the machine exploded, all the fighters jumped into the sewage hole, safe and sound.

"Finally," Sonic said. "We're away from those little creeps."

"Booyah!" Inkling chirped.

"Now, all we have to do is travel in these dark sewers that will probably lead us to some sort of vent passage," Sonic replied, walking forward to the direction of the Olympius. "Let's just hope some giant turtles that have studied ninjutsu don't pop out of nowhere and surprise us." Clementine and Dark Pit looked at each other, shaking their heads.

"How do you know we'll be at some sort of way in the tower?" Meta Knight asked.

"I'm sure Sonic knows," Palutena replied.

"Yeah, when you've been gone from your homeworld for ten years, some of your friends have probably been kidnapped as Assist Trophies, and all your memories have been wiped out by the crazy rules of the world, some dumb crap is definitely on the rise in the blue rat's brain," Snake lamented.

"Hey, you don't know what I have to go through after ten years of the Subspace Army's disappearance," Sonic objected, turning his head to face everyone behind him. "I had to tell every little detail of your guys' backstories, and now I'm on the run with the people I cared about all because I'm the first one that has discovered a Smash Ball that is slowly bringing fractions of the ultimate power back and returning much of your memories. By the way, what does it feel like to turn into a trophy?"

"…It kinda feels… strange…" Samus replied. "Almost like you're in a dream. You suddenly remember everything that had happened in your past, but you're kept in a world where you forget the people you encountered as an empty… accessory…"

"Sorta like an inanimate toy that has been long forgotten, not even knowing that he's playing by a story," Sonic resounded. The group stopped, thinking about what Sonic said by that. They slowly took a moment of looking at each other before heading off to the direction they think would lead them to the tower.

*location skip

Cloud, Mario, Link, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus already made their way towards the Subspace base. However, once they arrived, they saw from all the demolishment and the giant Clubberskull corpse that someone was already there before them.

"Great," Mario replied. "How are we gonna know which monsters that Subspace Army is going to make next?" Link took a patch of soil, placing it on his Sheikah Slate. The tablet measured the compounds in the soil, calculating and beeping with a result. When Link brushed the dirt off the Sheikah Slate, he showed the Prime Ship Group the image portrayed from the DNA in the area.

"We will," Link replied, looking at an image of the Star Allies Sparkler that Kirby created, calculating the direction it went to next. "We will…"

Chapter 15: The Origin of Tabuu

Summary:

As the Subspace Army is continuing to make its mark on the planet, the fighters are slowly being drawn together as they begin to learn more about why they were drawn from their worlds.

Chapter Text

Flying in the air, Corrin with the Falcon Flyer Group on his back tried to target Validar and the Grima spirit that possessed the evil mage. However, the black-red cloud kept fogging up in the northwest, and it was rather distracting, especially for one of the fighters having enhanced eyesight. Eventually, it was so dark that none of the warriors could see anything once they whacked some sort of flying object. Fighters, young and old, were falling from the sky, unconscious after a vast, star-shaped explosion. After falling for what seemed like an eternity, Corrin in his normal form grew his dragon wings and started grabbing whoever was in the air, even though it was hard to see. The weight eventually kept him falling, but the half-dragon prince was strong enough to slow the landing, falling into some sort of barren landscape in the middle of nowhere, where the air was neither hot nor cold… almost like there was no life at all.

R.O.B. stirred up, rubbing his circuits. He then looked around, noticing that the new-looking Ganondorf was lying unconscious next to him. The Gerudo King got up, looking at R.O.B. and seeing that the ex-Ancient Minister was all right. The Duck Hunt dog was sniffing Wii Fit Trainer, while Diddy Kong hugged and high-fived Donkey Kong. The Falcon Flyer Group reunited with the Wolfen Assault Group.

"Boy, am I glad to see everyone's alive!" Pit cried, hugging Kirby. "By the way, what happened to Sonic on your side?"

"We were just going to ask you where's Meta Knight," Fox replied. The recruited groups looked at each other, knowing that maybe their friends left for a reason.

"Meta Knight had to leave for fear of being hunted," Ike answered.

"Strange," Falco replied. "Last time we had Sonic, he had to leave for looking for the rest of our friends, and the typical blue rodent forgot that running faster than the speed of sound won't leave any footprints."

"I'm just glad everyone's safe and sound," Peach replied, hugging Luigi. "Pray tell, Luigi, do you know what happened to your brother?"

"I dunno," Luigi wept. "He and his buddies are probably gone, and we don't even know where they're at… Maybe they're dead, looking for those who went to the Ruins of the Ancients… Sorry…" However, the only thing that mattered was that Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Falco, Marth, Ganondorf, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Duck Hunt, Ryu, and Corrin are perfectly fine. Suddenly, out of the blue, the biggest ship that had ever appeared flew right over the fighters.

This piece of incredible work was made to replicate similar to the biggest weapon ever created by the Subspace Army: the Gunship. This city utopian-like spaceship has its main power supply attached to its seven multiple cannons, and it was a diamond white in color. Emerging from the Gunship copy, the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 flew onto the ground, shaking off some of its Shadow Bugs. The three Ultimates Reborn jumped out of its stomach latch, brushing their weapons.

"Now, now, baby," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn said to the metal dragon. "Don't want to pick your wounds if you're gonna heal them off." The machine growled as it belched a small army of mutated Primids, all of them standing in place as they looked at the fighters. The three Ultimates Reborn wiped their dusty hands on their black hoodies, pressing the only button on each of their masks and transforming them into special headsets so that their faces could be revealed.

"Like what you see?" the Brawler Ultimate spoke, pointing upwards at the futuristic city weapon. "We call it 'The Legacy'. If you're looking for Validar, he's hiding in there. We were hoping it could somehow copy what the Gunship did: tear literal holes in space by firing extremely powerful lasers."

"…Seen worse," Ganondorf teased. The three Ultimates Reborn looked surprised.

"Are you… mocking our work, oh King of Darkness?" the Brawler Ultimate asked.

"Maybe," Ganondorf replied.

"Wait, so you're telling me you guys can talk?" Falco asked. "Didn't you already tell us you had these thought translators attached to your cloaks or whatever?"

"The ones you called the Ultimates are dead," the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn answered. "We're their successors, the Ultimates Reborn, and we will start a new age in the Mii Fighter clan by bringing back the voices that were stolen from us long ago!"

"Voices really aren't a big deal," Captain Falcon replied. "Some of the fighters we have here could barely talk."

"The very land you stand in used to belong to our people," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn lamented. "Niflheim and Muspelheim extinguished long ago, but the pit Ginnungagap still stands as a memorial of our old nation." As the fighters looked around, they saw right in front of them behind the small Subspace Army was a huge pit that seemed to go on forever, marking the old home of the Mii Fighters.

"What are you gonna do?" Ike replied in a scoff tone. "Send another big baddie to fight us to the death, no matter what the cost?" The three Ultimates Reborn snapped their fingers, and the mutated Primids collapsed into Shadow Bugs, clustering together into a huge blob. The blob faded, revealing a cyborg body, mixed with light purple, blue, and pink fused to each other. Robotic limbs showed giant fists, swords, and guns from three pairs of arms. Three heads were on the top of the combined torso, revealing the Duon heads on the sides – the blue head on the right and the pink head on the left – and Galleom's head in the middle.

"Galleom? Duon?" Ness asked. "What happened to them?"

"We had the Shadow Bugs make a little prototype for one of our biggest monsters yet," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn replied. "Jotun, show these pests how you do things around here." The three Ultimates Reborn then pressed the button on each of their headsets, making them transform back into their masks, and jumped back inside the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 before taking off into the air.

"Oh, and by the way," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn spoke on the metallic dragon's speakers, "we'll be making a pit-stop at the Yggdrasil. Thought we might pack up for the epic battle." The Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 then flew back to the Legacy, taking off to the direction of the Yggdrasil. Jotun then started growling at the two groups, roaring with an unnatural growl.

The first phase was involved with stomping on the ground and burying his opponents, shooting missiles, propelled uppercut, and charging forward quickly. Fox and Falco started charging their blasters and reflectors, avoiding the mines and the slamming limbs. Pikachu and Jigglypuff used their special moves, rolling into the cyborg's steel body, dealing massive damage.

The three-headed cyborg was too slow to avoid the destruction from the fighters: Robin and Corrin teaming together with Marth and Ike by unleashing powerful projectiles, Ryu and Ganondorf kicking with heavy knockback, Peach, Bowser, and Luigi launching whatever trick was up their sleeves. It was pretty much a bit of a sausage fest. However, when it was a solid victory for everyone, giant bones suddenly emerged from the ground, surrounding the two reunited groups. Jotun was under some sort of control, almost like a ghost possessed the cyborg, since its body was starting to glow blue. Through chaotic methods, the cyborg suddenly developed a will of his own, the heads' eyes glowing gold. Unholy fire emerged from Jotun's six sockets, and a voice spoke like someone else was taking control. The fighters all stopped to see what was about to happen.

It's a lovely day outside, the voice spoke from Jotun.

Birds are singing, flowers are blooming,

On days like these, kid like you…

SHOULD BE BURNING IN HELL.

Lifting up its six arms, blue magic surrounded the bones, pushing the giant bones to the side. They eventually came in massive waves, and it was just only the beginning of the chaos. It seemed like it was going to be over since they were coming in so fast, but suddenly, a fiery slash cut through the obstacles. After all the fighters got up, they saw a red-haired warrior, cloaked in blue and wielding a flaming sword.

"Thought you might need help," the stranger said.

"…Roy?" Marth asked. "I somehow remember you, even though we… never met…"

How nice, the voice spoke from Jotun. A family reunion in the day of your doom. Time for all you love to be put behind the past and wiped out… since "to die" is pretty cliché… Swarms of bones emerged from underground and up above, transforming into battering rams. Roy and Marth jumped up into the air, landing on top of the possessed cyborg. They started lashing at the three heads, counter-attacking the heat-tracking missiles and mines.

"Guess I was wrong when I said the Ultimates Reborn weren't gonna unleash one of our biggest enemies yet," Ike replied to everyone he knew.

"Now's not a good time!" Lucario yelled. With an Aura Sphere, the Pokémon with Pikachu and Jigglypuff avoided the flying bones, lashing greatly at the cyborg's crumbling body. Shadow Bugs were starting to fall from Galleom and Duon's fused bodies, revealing another figure trapped within with only a few tiny holes. From the gun arms, Jotun fired monster heads at Pit and Kirby. However, the white-clothed angel and the pink puffball dodged out of the collision. The monster faces eventually got up and began charging powerful lasers. Pit immediately grabbed Kirby and flew out of the way. The two fighters flew behind the three-headed cyborg, slicing and kicking the machine powering the combined bodies. Jotun was starting to become weak as more waves of bones flew in fast, hitting most of the warriors.

You hurt me, you hurt Jotun-boi, the voice spoke from the three-headed cyborg, pieces of the metallic body showing more of the glowing figure trapped in the fused bodies. Jotun then flew up into the air, releasing a rain of swords, limbs, and monster faces that shot powerful lasers. The possessed Jotun suddenly started digging into the ground, unleashing large gemstones that exploded on impact. As the fighters were avoiding the corundum rain, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt brought out their footbags and clay pigeons, whacking the three-headed cyborg more. As Jotun's body started cracking, the glowing blue figure was shown more, weakening the half-robot beast.

"One more hit should do it!" Fox yelled. The anamorphic pilot then teamed up with Falco and the two of them created a fire blast that launched themselves at Jotun's three heads, burning and exposing their soot-black skulls. Everyone jumped into the air to stop the creature that was unleashed inside the cyborg as they avoided the deadly missiles and mines.

"Falcon Punch!" Captain Falcon yelled as he delivered the final blow to Jotun's fused chests. After accepting defeat, the three-headed cyborg fell dead to the ground. Eventually, emerging from the corpse was a glowing blue figure, half-transparent and moving with a cheerful attitude, almost like the Master Hand's twin, the Crazy Hand. From bottom to the top, the figure had ragged blue jeans with red sneakers completely different from Sonic's, and they had rusted cuffs attached to them with the chains broken. The stranger had a long tail as bushy as a squirrel's, and he was draped with a black shirt with a blue, torn-up hoodie tied across his waist, along with a nasty scar on his chest. He was carrying a backpack that had a large, raven-like bird with cubic, black-and-grey dragon wings nestled deep inside it. The stranger's right hand was long and scissor-like; his other hand was rusted and dull, having blue shovel tips for his fingers; the both of them had the bracelets from the rusted shackles that had seemed to have the chain broken off long ago, just like the legs. His head was entirely black, other than showing the crimson red hair that went into a purple-tipped ponytail that behaved like a third arm at the back and frosted-tip cowlicks at the front of his bangs. It looked like he had no face, but when he dragged his right forefinger across the area of his mouth, it shown the invisible socket was crying small streams of blood, his long mouth had jagged teeth with a forked tongue, and his left eye had a yellow, pixelated iris.

Worthless thing, the glowing-blue stranger complained, cursing at the three-headed cyborg's dead body. You had one job, stupid! The mischievous trickster then shot blue lightning from the palms of his hands, reducing Jotun's corpse to no more than Shadow Bugs that flew off into the wind. When the other fighters saw what they were looking at, they stared at him, confused.

What? the trickster hissed. You've never seen an all-powerful being before? Wait, wait, don't tell me… you've probably already been interacting with beings as dangerous as I am… Just thinking about all the DEAD time they've gone through… C'mon, that's funny. They were dead and they're back from the dead, so they're working on a dead-end job… Okay, I get it. I'm bad with these puns…

"Need to have a sense of humor before you can lose it," Ganondorf replied. "And just who do you think you are?"

What is with these people and not having proper introductions? the stranger teased. I go by a lot of names, but I'm simply referred to as "Indie".

"Indie?" Pit asked.

I was basically created after the ones that were rejected by the Subspace Army were tossed out for their own neglect, Indie lamented. The anger in their souls had risen to a point where it bursted out with their laughter, forming a twisted, deviant trickster – ME. I was waiting for my time to shine and join the Subspace Army for many years, watching them, but I never found a way until now. Indie's bird-like creature poked out from his backpack, cawing for attention as the trickster's third ponytail arm pushed it back into the backpack. Hopefully it wouldn't make Infinite jealous about another being that can control space and time, though I'm completely different from him.

"Who's this Infinite guy, and why should we care about your twisted words?" Falco objected. "We'll be heading over to the Yggdrasil to put an end to the constant thriving of the Subspace Army, and we'll fly into the gateway to Subspace and bring Tabuu and his kind to extinction!"

So, you wanna hope onto the Legacy and stop their plans, huh? Indie giggled. Well, if you really want to stop them… Indie then formed an arena made entirely out of giant bones, flying high into the air and cornering everyone in the two reunited group with its monster head lasers.

You'll have to go through me, Indie resumed. The trickster started raising large skeleton hands out of the ground, clawing and causing hot nuts and bolts to fly. Donkey Kong and Yoshi were the first to go ahead, running past the fast-emerging skeleton hands and iron-hot rain, Yoshi started whacking Indie with eggs that exploded on impact, while Donkey Kong delivered slow-but-heavy punches. However, it wasn't enough to make Indie flinch. Everyone knew they needed something to really hurt, so they thought that they could simply attack him by throwing whatever they got. While DK and Yoshi were hitting Indie, Ganondorf, Ryu, and Ike were watching out for the lasers that seemed to come out at random from the floating monster heads as they ran towards the trickster. Peach hopped on their heads, grabbing her Toad and squeezing him hard enough to unleash spores on the skeleton hands that retreated back into the ground.

While Indie was laughing like a maniac, Captain Falcon, Marth, Roy, and R.O.B. tried to avoid the crushing bone pillars that was an instant death for anyone who was below them. Once they were stuck, Captain Falcon started wall-jumping, followed by R.O.B. carrying Roy and Marth on his back while he was using his built-in rocket propellers. After they got to the top, Indie was waiting for them, firing large missiles at the fighters who were at the top. Marth and Roy avoided the attacks while Captain Falcon and R.O.B. fell to the ground from the explosion, but the two swordsmen were suddenly grabbed by Indie's ponytail arm and thrown into Fox and Pikachu. Falco and Mr. Game & Watch began running towards the trickster, but Indie pulled out spear-like bones, glazing them with flammable red juices stored in his chest wound before setting them on fire. Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Ness began footstooling on each other, trying to reach the trickster. The spear-like bones started raining down from up above, sticking into the ground and creating flame pillars seconds later. Indie then touched-down on the dirt and turned his arms into cannons, firing madly at everyone on the ground. Avoiding the explosive projectiles, Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede zoomed on Wario's motorbike while Diddy Kong and King Dedede launched peanuts, banana peels, and Gordos at Indie. The trickster then flew high into the air once again, creating thunder from his fingertips that zapped the now-metal ground on impact.

Pit and Kirby with Robin and Corrin joined Olimar as they jumped into the air whilst attacking Indie, everyone avoiding touching the ground until the zapping was over. Once the thunder was gone, the fighters saw that the trickster was starting to become tired, probably because all the unlimited power was wearing him out. So, without reason, the fighters kept telling Indie to keep attacking them with all his powers, but he was growing so weary that he eventually fell onto the ground, stunned, leaving him open to attacks. After everyone kept wailing on him, the final blow was delivered from one of the fighters, launching Indie out of the disappearing arena and into the vacant pit of Ginnungagap. Once the bone arena vanished, the fighters ran towards the edge of the giant pit, watching Indie fly out with his trusty pet hidden in his backpack.

Nice try winning against me, morons! Indie cackled. Wait till Sephiroth and the gang hear about this one! Flying off to the slow-moving Legacy, Indie with his pet took off to the ship, ready to be departing to the Yggdrasil. Corrin turned into his dragon form, while Kirby once again created the Star Allies Sparkler so that those who can't fly can get on.

"First Validar, now THIS guy!" Marth complained, sitting on Corrin's dragon back. "Will the fighting ever stop?"

"As long as Tabuu commands these armies, it's never over," Fox answered, positioning himself on the Star Allies Sparkler. With Pit taking off into the skies, Corrin's dragon form and the Star Allies Sparkler with everyone on the two transports started flying off to the Legacy, which was slowly starting to jump into hyperdrive to its next destination.

On the ship, the three Ultimate Reborn were at the main control room, looking over the Primids working the constant shift. Sephiroth walked over to them, tucking in his only wing.

"So, how does it feel taking control over the entire Subspace Army, Ultimates Reborn?" Sephiroth asked the three children of the Ultimates.

"Feels like we're entirely new," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn spoke. "However, we've been thinking about some of the fighters we've encountered, and they're almost just as powerful as we are-"

"Your Highnesses," one of the genetically engineered Mii Fighters spoke. "Infinite just reported he found someone outside our borders, a being with almost as much potential as he does…" Infinite warped in, grabbing Indie by the neck.

"State your business, wimp!" Infinite ordered Indie, squeezing the trickster's neck harder.

I'm not here to take over your ship, idiot! Indie coughed. I had been waiting for my chance to become part of the Subspace Army, and here I am!

"You reek of fear, Indie, god of parallel dimensions," Infinite lamented, reading the trickster's mind. "I'll let you go, but only if you do exactly what we command you to do…" Infinite then let go of Indie's neck, and the collapsed trickster kept coughing until his throat was clear. Sephiroth and the Ultimates Reborn looked at the stranger struggling to get up.

Don't think this is over, weakling, Indie teased, rubbing his black neck.

"I am NOT weak," Infinite growled, and pulled out a jagged dagger with a red stone on its handle, stabbing Indie. Before any of the Subspace Army leaders could do anything, Indie just laughed, revealing that he immediately shifted his body in a way that the masked jackal wouldn't kill him.

"Had I been any faster, you would've been dead," Infinite growled while Indie still laughed. Sephiroth placed a hand on the jackal's shoulder, calming Infinite down. Just then, the Subspace Army followers heard a call from Bowser Jr. at the city of Civiltatula. The ship's computer displayed Bowser Jr. making the call, with the robot stereo he was delivering to the Olympius burning behind him.

"What happened?" the Gunner Ultimate Reborn asked.

"Well, Sonic and his buddies crashed into the delivery," Bowser Jr. replied over the call, ducking from the leftover explosion. "DJ Octavio tried to stop them, but now they're trapped in the sewers, looking a way into the tower…"

Better hurry then, Indie laughed. They'll be destroying those new inventions we stole from Hella's notes any moment now…

"They are!?" Bowser Jr. exclaimed. "All that hard work will be burning at the hands of those morons!? I'd better stop them!"

You can't do it alone, kid! Indie giggled.

"Who are you one to judge?" Bowser Jr. asked.

"Yeah, what gives you the right to give a child orders?" the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn.

I'm just saying if you hurry, Infinite will have a little gift for you, Indie giggled.

"What are you talking about?" Infinite asked. Indie tilted his head, his left eye gleaming with yellow pixels. "How do you know all this?"

I can stare into time and space, Indie replied. Why? Didn't Dr. Eggman program that little Phantom Ruby of yours to do such a thing? You can read minds like Shadow Mewtwo, you know…

"You sneaky, little…" Infinite snarled as he lunged himself towards Indie, but Sephiroth grabbed him just in time.

"I think the mischievous trickster is right for once," Sephiroth said. "You can create virtual imagery as powerful as the real thing, right? So, all you have to do is warp yourself over to Bowser Jr. while he calls in troops. We'll be studying this… Indie person a while longer and see what he's capable of, whether he's like or different from Shadow Mewtwo and Infinite combined…" The godlike trickster started doing backflips in the air, hovering while he was preforming those tricks. Infinite brushed his Phantom Ruby, which was slightly cracked.

"Fine," Infinite growled with a less salty attitude, looking at Indie with a mad glare. "But you better not get any ideas, Indie!" Infinite then warped out of the area, leaving the Subspace Army group. As Bowser Jr. hung up, the Legacy jumped into hyperdrive, leaving the area of Ginnungagap. Just then, M. Bison barged into the control room, along with Morpho Knight.

"Sephiroth! Ultimates Reborn!" Morpho Knight said. "Intruders have boarded the Legacy."

"They were the same people that blew up the last Subspace Base I went to," M. Bison replied. "Well, most of them, anyway…" Validar ran into the room as well as everyone looked at the dark mage.

"…I was just about to warn you people…" Validar replied.

"Enough about this," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn ordered. "Morpho Knight, set up the traps around the perimeter, outside and in!"

"M. Bison, you're capable of the heavy combat if anything gets in!" the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn replied.

"Validar, contact the guns to fire at any intruders on sight," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn ordered. "And don't come back until they're exterminated!" Sephiroth walked in, wondering what he should do since he is the one-winged angel and the son of Jenova.

"…And what do you think I should be capable of?" Sephiroth asked, a cheeky grin on his face.

"You could look after both the Subspace Army and the Mii Fighters," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn replied. "Make sure nothing ever happens to them, no matter what happens." The three Ultimates Reborn then walked off, leaving Sephiroth and the Primids controlling the computer alone in the room.

"I'm sure I will, kids," Sephiroth giggled. "I'm sure I will. It's Tabuu's orders, after all…"

*location skip

At the borders of Civiltatula, Shadow Mewtwo kept teleporting around all sorts of buildings, suddenly sensing that Infinite is coming. The Pokémon's pupils contracted as his head started hurting, trying to cut off the Shadow Synergy Stone. Suddenly, he saw that Cloud, Mario, Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Zelda were just outside the city borders.

Link was trying to adjust his Sheikah Slate since he had no idea how the device works, and this sort of technology was new to him. Cloud was grabbing the handle of his Buster Sword, ready to pull it out when he sees an attacking enemy. Zelda and Zero Suit Samus stood back-to-back, with Mario wiping his forehead and fanning himself with his cap.

"Looks like this kinky thing has some bugs," Link said. "Probably took us to a place we don't know yet… Why did I choose to use a weapon I have no idea it works…?"

"Over here!" Cloud yelled, pulling out his Buster Sword. The 1st-class SOLDIER suddenly spotted Shadow Mewtwo in his hiding spot, and the other four fighters saw the Pokémon was trying to fly away from them, unleashing Shadow Balls and Disable moves. As the fighters were running towards the Pokémon, Shadow Mewtwo used his telekinesis powers by flinging Boom Primids and Scope Primids at the fighters. Beginning to use their projectiles, the warriors noticed he was using Confusion to reflect their attacks, so they jumped out of the way. As Shadow Mewtwo was approaching the Olympius, the Pokémon thought he was safe and sound until a strange figure jumped on him from the darkness. Cloud, Link, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus, and Mario all looked at the stranger standing on Shadow Mewtwo, grabbing the legendary Pokémon by the neck. As the city lights started flashing again, the stranger was shown to be a blue, frog-like creature with webbed appendages, bubbled skin, and a long tongue wrapped around its neck.

"Grenin," the creature croaked as it threw Shadow Mewtwo onto the ground.

"One of the Greninja type, are you?" Shadow Mewtwo telepathized as the Pokémon waddled closer to him, along with the other five fighters. "Once Tabuu has gained full power, you can't stop him… No one can…" Just like that, Shadow Mewtwo warped into the building, leaving all the other fighters to follow in after him.

Deep inside the Olympius, Sonic and his team were squirming around in the vent dock, just like the blue hedgehog said which was connected to the sewage passage. Once the blue hedgehog kicked over an air vent, he jumped down, followed by Dr. Mario, Sheik, Samus, Toon Link, Young Link, Pichu, Wolf, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Lucas, Little Mac, Palutena, Dark Pit, Bayonetta, Shulk, Rosalina & Luma, and Inkling, who were all struggling following one after the other. Once all the fighters were inside, the blue hedgehog took a good look around the area.

"…Seems awfully quiet…" Sonic said, holding the jar with Faker the Shadow Bug. "I know these types of scenarios; everytime you're in a quiet place, some powerful monster is going to show up…"

"A little too quiet, if you ask me," Bayonetta replied. "Almost like the place seems deserted. Let's just loot the place and burn whatever's not important."

"That's hugely disrespectful," Snake objected. "Stealing loot when it should be studied is illegal and anyone who thinks otherwise could spend a lifetime in prison followed by execution."

"Snake's-a right," Dr. Mario said. "We need some of this technology to save this Shadow Mewtwo. Once we grab the special device the Pokémon said is hidden somewhere, we can use it to find a way to save the Pokémon from the Shadow Synergy Stone and turn him back to normal. Simple as that, right?"

"Unless he 'accidently' kills us first," Samus answered. Just then, Shadow Mewtwo warped right in front of everyone, aching in pain as the Shadow Synergy Stone projected a message from above the Olympius. Infinite was in charge of the transmission, revealing Bowser Jr. and the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0.

"Surprised to see me, idiots?" Bowser Jr. said over the transmission. "A little birdie flew over me, telling me to give you people a BIG surprise. You'll have to head to the top of the tower to find out what it is. Until then, see y'all later!" The transmission ended, followed by Shadow Mewtwo immediately disappearing from the area. All that remained was a special headset connected to a heartpacer which was supposed to be the device that might help Shadow Mewtwo. Sonic then grabbed the device and put it in his quills along with Faker's jar.

"Now all we need to do is find a way to the top and see what Bowser Jr. has in store for us this time," Sonic told everyone in his group. "And with Infinite by his side, it looks like it's going to be something dangerous…" Everyone started taking the stairs, running to the roof of the Olympius. Just when they got to the top, where they could almost touch the black-red clouds, Bowser Jr. was waiting for them, all alone.

"So… you all want the surprise, huh?" Bowser Jr. giggled.

"No time for jokes," Meta Knight snarled. "Where is the trap you've set for us?"

"It's here, alright," Bowser Jr. answered. "But you'll have to fight me in order to get your reward." Bowser Jr. then pushed a few buttons, setting his Koopa Clown Car to "Attack Mode". Bowser Jr. then started driving towards everyone, who all jumped out of the way from his vehicle's drill arms. Sonic was the only one to start spindashing at the Koopa Prince's head, but the blue hedgehog immediately felt the pain from the Smash Ball jerk up through his body again. As his body was giving off a rainbow hue, Sonic started growling.

"Not now, vision!" Sonic groaned. However, it was too late, as Sonic's eyes started glowing white once again, and he was suspended in the air, untouchable. Bowser Jr. tried to grab him, but since his Koopa Clown Car was stuck on "Attack Mode", there was nothing he could do but keep fighting. Bowser Jr. then began pulling out cannonballs from the vehicle's mouth, firing at warriors like Pichu and Dr. Mario. The two warriors, followed by Snake and the Ice Climbers, began throwing whatever they've got at the spoiled brat. It was difficult without Sonic, but they managed to weaken Bowser Jr.

"(huff puff)," Bowser Jr. panted. "You got… me… I would try to escape on the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, which the Ultimates Reborn have lent me the usage of its powers by my voice command, but I'm terribly tired out at the moment. So, the best I can do is let Infinite summon Jotun while his forces attack you. Okay, Infinite!" The masked jackal hovered in the air, sending down the new and improved three-headed Jotun born from the combined bodies of Galleom and Duon from the prison ship Kin.

"Finish them," Bowser Jr. growled at Jotun, pointing at the panting fighters. As soon as Jotun began charging a powerful laser, it was suddenly hit by something in the air. The only two warriors to notice it were Clementine and Pittoo, who looked up to see a blue figure dropping out from the sky, warping in by a blue beam. The figure was revealed to be a highly-advanced android with the capability of free-will thinking and human emotions, coated in blue titanium. Changing his left arm to a cannon, the robot started unleashing a leaf shield that it used on Jotun, scratching the cyborg's body. It looked at Bowser Jr., relaxing and trying to squirm out of the battle so he could rest, and pointed right at him.

"Hold it right there, kid!" the android spoke. "Don't think this is a battle you could get away from!" The other fighters looked at the stranger, and even Jotun stopped to see who's with them.

"Who do you think you are?" Dark Pit asked.

"My scientific name is Rockman, but I'm known as Mega Man," the android answered.

"Who cares about your name?" Bowser Jr. asked in pants. "Jotun, attack those freaks. I'm gonna have a nap. As for Infinite, do something, like kidnap the blue rat…" As the Koopa Prince was sleeping in his Koopa Clown Car, Infinite was just about to grab Sonic and take him away with the other Subspace Army troops on his side. Meta Knight, while fighting Jotun with the other fighters, looked up and saw Sonic in his Smash Ball vision phase was in trouble, so the swordsman took off into the air and started lashing at the masked jackal. While Infinite was blocking the flurry of attacks from Meta Knight, Inking and Mega Man looked up in the air while avoiding the attacks.

Meta Knight's not gonna stay in the air for very long, Inkling chirped.

"We have to help these creatures then!" Mega Man replied, for he was programmed to understand any language that was spoken to him. The two fighters from a safe distance from Jotun while everyone else was attacking the cyborg launched bombs at Infinite and his troops. The masked jackal tried to aim down below and kill off the warriors threatening to defeat him, but Meta Knight kept delivering a flurry of jabs from his sword, watching out for the incoming Primids, even though he was showing signs of fatigue. Vast explosions appeared around the area from Jotun, and the Subspace troops began launching tasers at Meta Knight and Sonic while bombs from Mega Man and Inkling were surrounding them. While all the chaos was going on, the blue hedgehog was greeted with another vision of Hella, the girl he somehow knows…

Waiting just outside the Arcadium, Hella's voice rang out, the Master Core was bringing all the warriors in his arena to him in the empty fields, for he had seen a vision of his downfall. Sonic, his body glowing with multiple colors, his eyes gleaming gold, and the Smash Ball fused to his chest, watched as the Master Core assembled all of his creations and prisoners to a vast meadow, where the overpassing clouds floated above, arranged in a way that made the sun look like the Smash Ball itself. Shadows were cast on the ground to reveal Hella in her new form, where she was wearing advanced battle armor surrounding her body like an exoskeleton. She was equipped with chains of light, and her cape unfurled like butterfly wings. As she was twirling her weapons, more Shadow Bugs she created out of wrath fell from the sky in a black-red cloud that formed above her, transforming into peculiar beings not from Arcadia, the World of Trophies, at all. Other creatures were whipped by the Primids to join her side, twisted and tormented to be part of her army. Dropping from flying hovercraft were the Ancients and Mii Fighters, wielding technology that made them part of Hella's army.

"Hella, what have you done?" the Master Core boomed.

"Like what you see?" Hella asked. "These Shadow Bugs, which I have created, have been made into new life: Primids. They're dangerous on their own and unstoppable together. They can just simply shift forms into more powerful beings, but I wouldn't bother right now. However, I have a little trick up my sleeve through some new weapon I've devised, and it's all based of your weaknesses. Ancient Minister, Ancient Ultimates, show the Master Core what I mean..." The four leaders each grabbed special cannons, shaped like dragon heads. With a careful aim and a quick press of the trigger, they all fired at random warriors on the Master Core's side, turning them into nothing more than trophies. Once the prizes fell onto the ground, everyone was shocked and were slowly backing away in fear. Sonic the Hedgehog watched as all the scenario was taking place, understanding EVERYTHING.

Those are Dark Cannons! Sonic exclaimed. Now I see what's going on… This is the origin of Tabuu, our main enemy… but… why? Why his backstory?

"The Dark Cannons are powered by something I like to call Off-Waves," Hella answered. "This is what you get when you don't listen to reason and reality, Master Core!"

"I will not stand for this foolishness anymore," the Master Core spoke. "Warriors of Arcadia, attack this imposturous traitor!" All the fighters on the Master Core's side readied their weapons, but Hella simply snapped her fingers, bringing in a large metallic sphere with a red "X" on it. Two of the Ancients stood on both sides, and they pulled it out, revealing a black hole with a timer at the bottom, set to two minutes.

"I wouldn't be so sure, oh Ruler of Trophies," Hella objected. "Powered by the limbs of Ancients only, I have devised a new weapon that will open the gateway to a new life: Subspace. I have found a dimension where you can do whatever you want and create your own rules. All I have to do is destroy everything you love. I have all the power, Master Core. I am… Tabuu, the Construct God, and everyone will bow down to me and bask in my former glory. The Ancients will be destroyed by the explosion, the Mii Fighters might have some sort of alternate mind, the Primids and creatures I've enslaved for my own will might be reduced to Shadow Bugs, but hey: someone's got to take a risk, right?" The Subspace Army cheered, watching as Hella brought out her Chains of Light, slashing at the trophy statues and reducing them to rubble. The fighters on Master Core's side were terrified at the horrible action she had performed, and she simply blew the leftover dust from her weapons.

"Enough of these crazy choices!" Master Core yelled. The black entity then pointed towards Hella, ready to sacrifice everything. "Kill her! Don't let anything stand in your way!" The fighters all started charging towards Hella, the Ancients, the Mii Fighters, and the Subspace Army, ready to die for a greater cause. As the timer on the Subspace Bomb was ticking down, the two sides were slashing recklessly at everyone. Blood and Shadow Bugs spilled on the field's grass, withering the luscious landscape into a war zone in a matter of seconds, and every fraction of the time that passed involved the Primids and monsters weakening a fighter, a Dark Cannon firing at said fighter and reducing him/her into a trophy, and Hella bringing out her weapons to destroy the trophies and kill the fighters. As the Master Core saw that his army was waning and the Subspace Army was waxing with leftover trophies possessed by Shadow Bugs, the black entity saw that it was all over for him.

All the warriors he had collected for a long time were dead, and the Subspace Army was threatening to take over his land – alter his rules.

"From now on, your death will change this land," the Master Core commanded as he was releasing powerful lasers and blasts, all blocked by Hella's sword-like weapon as she was approaching towards him. The black-haired girl then unfurled her butterfly wings, jumping into the air and whipping out her Chains of Light. She threw the pointed tips right into the Master Core, pulling at the true weakness he held inside – a darkened Smash Ball as his only soul vessel. Once she yanked it out, the Master Core's Swarms started swirling around, reducing him to only a floating, white appendence that resembled a right hand – the Master Hand. As the Hand of Creation, weak and trembling, slowly got up, he felt himself latched on with the Chains of Light as Hella cracked open the darkened Smash Ball. Hidden deep inside was the pure essence of day and night, sun and moon, good and evil, yin and yang… the Final Smash. The timer on the Subspace Bomb was almost up, and the Master Hand was still chained to the ground. Hella started flying off while the Primids and monsters stayed behind to accept their deaths. The Ancients knew that what was about to happen was slavery, and the Mii Fighters knew that something of value would be lost involving themselves and their homes. Regardless, both species got into their hovercrafts and flew off.

As the two Ancients powering the Subspace Bomb looked at each other in bravery, the Subspace Bomb eventually exploded into a black-purple blast, covering the entire field. The Master Hand was feeling the magic of the dimension pull him in and permanently make him part of it. Following the gateway opening to Subspace was a powerful light aura surround the planet, doing unspeakable things. The creatures of the Subspace Army were reduced to Shadow Bugs, the Ancients forever lost heir freedom, and the Mii Fighters' voices were stolen – followed by Niflheim and Muspelheim hardening into lifeless stone and destroying Ginnungagap. When Hella flew back to the Arcadium with the darkened Smash Ball, she grabbed ahold of the Final Smash within and used its power to throw the Arcadium sky-high, where it was forever suspended in midair as the Midair Stadium. Sonic the Hedgehog was watching all he witnessed, terrified at the actions she performed.

After feeling the Final Smash surge through me, Hella's voice rang out through Sonic, I wanted to use the Master Core's power and transform it into a dangerous tool. With the Smash Ball, I would take my vengeance upon the World of Trophies, enslave beings of my own will and kill them off when I no longer see a use for them, and create what I would like to call… the Great Maze. I'm sure some of you may have recognized me before, when you encountered me for the first time…

Ganondorf was the first one to discover you, and I was the last one to actually touch you, Sonic said as Hella looked at him, even though it was just a memory. Which means… Sonic suddenly remembered what happened ten years ago, when he temporarily destroyed Tabuu's wings and disrupted his Off-Waves, and the two of them looked at each other. Before Sonic could jump off, he saw what appeared to be the black-haired girl from before, even though it was just a second of a flash.

I've met you before, Sonic muttered. Does this mean…? However, before Sonic was about to finish, the memory of Hella was beginning to vanish, returning Sonic the Hedgehog back to his mission. After Sonic quickly woke up, he realized he wasn't back at the rooftop of the Olympius, back with everyone he knew. Instead, it felt like he was in some sort of cage. It appeared he was in some sort of plasma cube, where only the corners were made out of robotic metal. Once Sonic sat up, he looked at himself, noticing he was bound and gagged. He was biting down on the cloth wrapped around his mouth, and he had a metal collar with rope as the leash. Rope was wrapped around his upper arms below his shoulders, and his hands were tied behind his back. Sonic quickly stood up, pulling on the tight bondages. When he looked up, he saw his old friend Meta Knight, his mask showing signs of scratches, and his arms chained above his head.

MK? Sonic thought as he was groaning through the muffles. Meta Knight looked down at the tied-up hedgehog, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, my blue comrade," Meta Knight said, tears dripping from his mask. "I tried to protect you from Infinite… We all were… but… he was just too powerful, and everyone else was trying to destroy Jotun… The Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 lashed out on everyone… but the explosion from Jotun demolished the dragon just in time… You lost Faker when his jar fell out of your quills and the device to save Shadow Mewtwo… I don't know what happened to Mega Man and Inkling when they tried protecting the two of us…" Sonic simply shook his head, simply smiling underneath the cloth wrapped around his mouth. Just then, the door opened, and the three Ultimates Reborn with Infinite walked in. Sonic quickly stood up, trying to get rid of the bondages behind his back, growling through his gag.

"Looks like we caught two live prisoners," Infinite smirked. "Surprised to see me?" Sonic and Meta Knight looked at the four figures, alarmed. The three Ultimates Reborn then pressed the button on their masks, transforming the masks into headsets once more.

"Nice job, Infinite," the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn said. "Looks like you're not weaker than Indie, after all." Sonic started muffling in anger, knowing what's going on. The Gunner Ultimate Reborn then pulled out a paper card, inserted it into a slot in the board of the plasma cage, and the walls disappeared. Sonic was sitting down during the time, held against his will. As the Gunner Ultimate Reborn walked in, she simply looked at Sonic, giggling.

"Look at you," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn said. "Ten years of chasing you, and the Smash Ball has discovered your weakness: leaving you out in the open for the taking. So nice you could be the participating passengers aboard the Kin, where you're far away from your friends back at Civiltatula, heading towards the Yggdrasil… where you'll finally be a part of the Subspace Army." Sonic then jumped up and kicked the Gunner Ultimate Reborn in the chest, lashing his leash. The other two Ultimates Reborn saw Sonic trying to escape with his superfast legs, and they tried pinning him down, but he simply spindashed out of the way. However, Infinite was about to grab him with the Phantom Ruby's powers, but the blue hedgehog kicked his chest really hard, cracking a piece of the Phantom Ruby off and launching the masked jackal out of the prison ship, leaving a large hole where the wind blew through. The three Ultimates Reborn tried to push Sonic back in, but the blue blur quickly ran behind them and kicked them back into the plasma cage, where he grabbed the paper card with his hands still tied behind his back and trapped the three Ultimates Reborn inside. Sonic then kicked a red button on the control panel, and the shackles on Meta Knight's hands released the Star Warrior.

"Good luck trying to get rid of that rope, blue rat!" the Brawler Ultimate Reborn yelled as Meta Knight jumped onto the ground, grabbing the card from Sonic's tied hands. "This is a special kind of bondage, one where only the computer in the control room can free you with our access with one of those cards, so not even your friend's sword could cut it off – it'll just make the blade dull. Too bad the ship's huge, so you'll never find it in time as we approach closer to our destination, where more of our troops will come in and kick your ass!" As the Brawler Ultimate Reborn was finished speaking, Sonic under bondage-and-silence and Meta Knight ran out of the room, leaving the three Ultimates Reborn trapped inside. Once the two warriors were out, Shadow Bugs leaked through the ship's air vent, clogged the room's hole where it was a sky-high drop, and a Primid pulled out a card where it stuck it in the special hole of the control panel. The plasma walls disappeared, and the three Ultimates Reborn squirmed out.

"Where's our ride?" the Gunner Ultimate Reborn panted, each one of the Ultimates Reborn pressing the single button on their headsets and bringing them back to their masks. "We need to get out of here and prepare the Mii Fighters at the Yggdrasil for invaders!"

Meanwhile, back at the roof of the Olympius, Jotun's body was burning right next to the demolished Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, and Bowser Jr. was slowly waking up from his knockout. There, he saw everyone except for Sonic, Meta Knight, Inkling, and Mega Man right in front of him, and Mario with Link, Cloud, Zero Suit Samus, Zelda, and Greninja were just walking through the only entrance to meet up with the warriors who fought atop the tower. The five fighters looked around, noticing they were a tad bit late for the party. They all then turned toward Bowser Jr., who was looking around at the demolishment and the only ride out of here was destroyed.

"My dragon!" Bowser Jr. cried. "All the Shadow Bugs are killed off!"

"…Maybe we could help rebuild your ship," Mario responded. "After all, it can't be that hard to repair a ship…"

"It's not like that," Bowser Jr. replied. "Infinite and his gang grabbed Sonic and Meta Knight, with Inkling and Mega Man jumping onto the ship to rescue them! Jotun's corpse is going to blow up any second, and if we don't get out of here we'll be going down along with the tower."

"How do you think we should repair it?" Palutena asked.

"This thing used to be a machine, but after we fixed it, the robot only runs on Shadow Bugs. There should be at least only one to power this thing and get us all out of here…"

"Why'd you change from you evil ways all of a sudden…?" Snake asked.

"I need to reunite with my Papa!" Bowser Jr. answered. "I also know that if I were to kill you all right now, it wouldn't matter anyway since we'll all die." Just then, the shattered glass of the jar that Sonic dropped from his Smash Ball state started glowing a neon purple, and the Shadow Bug Faker floated out. Chirping, everyone looked at the different Shadow Bug as it went to the body of the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, breathing life back into its metallic body. The dragon roared once again, and Jotun's corpse was about to explode.

"Thanks a lot, guys," Bowser Jr. replied. "We'll be calling this a truce, and we'll be heading to the Yggdrasil, the opening to the Ruins of the Ancients…" Jumping into the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, everyone teamed up with Bowser Jr., who was now holding onto the special device from before, flying away from the burning Olympius, where they will recruit for the biggest battle ever.

*location skip

Meta Knight was running down the halls of the prison ship, followed by Sonic the Hedgehog, who was still bound and gagged. Then, MK grabbed ahold of Sonic's leash, pulling him towards a sound while the alarm was ringing.

"Do you hear something?" Meta Knight whispered. Sneaking right next to a shut door, Meta Knight then started hearing torturing noises from inside. Sonic kicked it down, showing three figures chained down onto torture tables and zapped to death. From left to right, there was a yellow, circle-shaped figure with a large pizza mouth, black eyes, a long nose, and a pair of red gloves followed by a pair of red boots. In the middle was a blue-haired lady, with a tipless sword on the left side of her waist, and she was wearing clothing almost identical to Marth's. On the far right, a brown-red haired princess, wearing a yellow dress that was similar to Peach's. At the torture device's control panel, Sephiroth was tapping his fingers on the keyboard, trying to look for signs of a Smash Ball with no response.

"Stupid computer!" Sephiroth growled. "No wonder people were complaining about 'pending updates'!" Just then, Sephiroth turned around to feel a shoe tap his shoulder, and all he got was a nasty kick in the face from Sonic. Meta Knight lashed his sword at the shackles that kept the three prisoners in place, freeing them. As the three warriors got up, they looked at the two strangers who rescued them.

"Oh, you're in the same mess as us?" the yellow-dressed princess asked, noticing Sonic in some sort of a scrape.

"Pretty much," Meta Knight answered while Sonic nodded, the blue hedgehog's muffles rang. "My name's Meta Knight, and the blue creature you see here is none other than Sonic the Hedgehog."

"Hi, I'm Daisy, Princess of Sarasaland!" the princess spoke. "Here, you have Princess Lucina, wielder of the Naga Blade. On our right is PAC-MAN."

"It's an honor meeting you," Lucina spoke. "Thank you two of releasing us from our imprisonment after a long time of torture…"

"You're welcome," Meta Knight answered, holding the paper card. "Now, we really need your help in getting to the main computer room. You see, Sonic's under a special type of bondage in which only the computer can cut off with one of these paper cards. All we have to do is scan it and get out of here." Suddenly, Sephiroth slowly got up, wiping his bleeding nose and sniffing.

"You… stupid… bitch…" Sephiroth groaned. "I'll make sure that all of you would pay for-" Before the one-winged angel could finish, Sonic kneed him in the crotch before another follow-up kick in the face. The alarm started ringing as incoming Mii Fighters dropped out in the room.

"…For… making me lose my virginity…" Sephiroth groaned as the Mii Fighters helped him up. Inkling and Mega Man kicked down the air dock in the vent just in time, reuniting with Sonic and Meta Knight.

"...And these are Mega Man and Inkling," Meta Knight answered.

"Did we miss something?" Mega Man asked while Inkling chirped. The two warriors then looked at Sephiroth and the Fighting Mii Team.

"Pretty weak for someone who committed thousands of murders," Daisy taunted.

"Fighting Mii Team… Kill them," Sephiroth ordered as he instantly warped out of the area, followed by the black-clothed warriors to begin attacking Sonic and the gang. The seven fighters then started running out of here, looking for a way to the computer room. Incoming Fighting Mii Team warriors dropped from the roof of the Kin, lashing and slashing at the warriors. Meta Knight and Lucina pulled out their swords, attacking the enemies and sparing no one.

"You fight an awful lot like Marth, minus the tipper and almost slow reactions," Meta Knight said, wiping the sweat off his mask.

"I came from a doomed future where I was forced to change my identity and attacks to that precisely of Marth's one time, so I had to do something," Lucina answered and she counter-attacked an incoming Fighting Mii Team member. Sonic bound-and-gagged stood back-to-back with PAC-MAN, surrounded by enemies. PAC-MAN then grabbed ahold of Sonic's leash, swinging him around and making the blue hedgehog spindash into the Fighting Mii Team. Once Sonic landed, he started spinning on his head, kicking at the Miis' faces and knocking them down to the ground before landing with a full split. Swords from many of the enemies slashed against the rope, but they only shattered in fragments that flew on impact and brutally hit everyone in the room, just like it was said to do for any weapon that would try and break the bondages. Daisy grabbed her blue Toad and squeezed the spores out of him, whacking the enemies in the face with special flower effects of her own. Rockman and Clementine began firing their projectiles, with fiery blasts and ink explosions filling the room. Once the area was cleared, the seven fighters ran towards their destination in the Kin, attacking the incoming Fighting Mii Team.

Once everyone was in the computer room, Meta Knight and PAC-MAN immediately barricaded the door, killing the Primids who were locked in with them.

"INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT!" the Subspace computer spoke. The Fighting Mii Team were trying to break down the door, and Sonic was waiting impatiently, sweat rolling down his forehead as he was pulling on the bondages and biting down hard on the cloth.

"Mmph… mmph!" Sonic moaned, struggling with his hands tied behind his back and rubbing on his aching arms wrapped around with rope around the shoulders with the sides of his head.

"Have a little more patience, blue friend!" Meta Knight replied as the computer was constantly alerting the room while its control panel was being searched for by everyone else on his team.

"We'll get you out soon enough!" Daisy answered as the door was being banged on. Sonic kept tapping his feet, trying his best to wait as the alarm was ringing and the door was about to be broken.

"Found it!" Mega Man rang out. Meta Knight tossed him the paper card, which fluttered towards him. The advanced android placed his finger on the slot so he would find it in time.

"Put it in!" Meta Knight exclaimed. Mega Man then pushed the card in, and the light on the computer monitor rang green.

"Removing bondages…" the Subspace computer rang as a special ray gun dropped from the sky on robotic appendages and zapped the bondages right off. The gag vanished, the collar and leash disappeared, and the ropes which held Sonic's arms and hands in place dissolved. Sonic the Hedgehog then massaged his wrists, clenching his fists and grinning once the door broke down, followed by incoming Fighting Mii Team members. The seven warriors were all ready for them, and they gave it their all, knocking out every single enemy that came in out. Once the area was empty, Sonic rubbed the quills on his head.

"Is there a way to steer this thing?" Sonic asked as Clementine chirped while nodding.

"This computer is set to auto-drive to its destination," Meta Knight answered. "There's nothing we can do right now… except wait for the worst…" Sonic, Meta Knight, PAC-MAN, Daisy, Lucina, Mega Man, and Inkling all looked ahead of the Kin's main window, watching as they approached closer to their destination: the Yggdrasil. Sonic looked in all sorts of directions, watching the Legacy and the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 also arrive at the exact same time.

"Yeah… except we'll not be alone…" Sonic muttered, smirking.

Chapter 16: The Heavily-Growing Subspace Army

Summary:

New faces have arrived within both sides against each other - the Super Smash Brothers and the Subspace Army.

Chapter Text

Aboard the Legacy, the Falcon Flyer Group and the Wolfen Assault Group boarded the ship, and their landing triggered an alarm that awoke the guns set off by Validar, who was standing right in front of the rivals.

"Stand back… I'm warning you…" Validar trembled, "or I'll be forced to shoot!"

"This was all thanks to your defeat back at our homeland, isn't it?" Robin asked their enemy. "The way you're trembling, and the fact that Grima has possessed your soul…"

"SHUT UP!" Validar yelled as the two groups approached closer to him. The wimpy mage slipped and fell on his behind, trying to crawl away. "That Blight Ganon fusion monster I devised was pretty ingenious, was it not?"

"I think you stole someone else's idea," Ganondorf objected. "It was supposed to be planned by me during the attack ten years ago, but the Gunship, which it was built on, was destroyed in the progress."

"I'm giving you one last chance," Validar stammered. "If you don't surrender to me, I'll be forced to shoot-" Before Validar could finish, he didn't think twice of protecting himself with powerful magic, so he was knocked down easily by Ryu's Focus Punch. The guns then retreated back into the ship's hull, not firing anything at the intruding fighters.

"That was easy," Ryu scoffed.

"That was just the first line of defense," Falco then said. "There are enemies and traps waiting for us inside, so if we were to break in, we'll have to be ready for a heavy line of fire."

"Let's g-g-g-go, then," Luigi stammered, hugging Peach close. While the warriors broke down the only small door to get inside the Legacy, Pit was just about to follow them in, but a mysterious dragon snatched him, carrying him off. As the white-clothed angel saw himself straying farther from his teammates and closer to their actual destination – the Yggdrasil – Pit groaned and saw that he was being carried by a terrible beast: a red-skinned dragon not that of the Winged Firestorms.

"Rathalos!?" Pit exclaimed as the monster roared. "Lady Palutena warned me about you, and that you'll eat me once you land! Somebody help! Hear my prayers, Lady Palutena! I'm too young to die, even though I think I've lived over thousands of years! I never even learned how to reeeeeeeead!" As Pit was screaming for help, Rathalos kept flying through the black-red darkness towards the Yggdrasil.


Meanwhile, Indie emerged from the hull of the Legacy, grabbing Validar's unconscious body and, as he was slowly waking up, bringing him down to the control room, where Sephiroth and the Mii Fighter troops were waiting for him with anger on their faces.

"That was your last chance to prove that your loss at your homeland would not get in the way of doing what is important for the Subspace Army," Sephiroth growled as Indie got behind the one-winged angel, lashing his katana blade at Validar's face.

"Please… this is not my fault, I swear!" Validar trembled. "I didn't realize what a fool I was and I'm sorry for what I did-" Sephiroth then grabbed Validar by the neck, stroking the dull end of the blade across the mage's face.

"What you did was unforgivable," Sephiroth lashed. "I promise you pain without end…" Before Sephiroth was about to behead Validar, a mist of black smoke appeared in the room. The Mii Fighter troops looked behind them, and Sephiroth let go of Validar to see who this newcomer was. Lo, as the smoke cleared, a tall, pale man with white locks and small facial hair, black-and-red clothing and vampire fangs instead of flat teeth appeared out of nowhere. The stranger slowly floated towards Validar, making the black-clothed mage tremble.

"Please, allow me," the stranger replied in a peculiar accent. "My name is Dracula, the Lord of Darkness, and I have come for the worst teammate in your clan."

"What brings you here around these parts?" Sephiroth replied. Dracula then pulled out an Assist Trophy Capsule, balancing it on the base. However, since he was not one of the trophies of this world, touching the base had no effect on the item. Instead, Dracula gave the Assist Trophy Capsule to Sephiroth, letting him have it for safekeeping.

"Found it in your stash vault," Dracula said. "Give it to your leaders at the World Tree, but make sure they bring back my son Alucard, who was sealed off long ago by my mortal rivals, the Belmont clan. Assist Trophies show up at random, so make this new challenger count." Sephiroth tucked the Assist Trophy Capsule in his only raven-black wing, putting away his sword. Dracula then looked at Validar and pulled out Death's Scythe, grinning at him with darkened eyes. With a quick slash, the sound of gushing blood was spilt without a single scream, and Sephiroth and the Mii Fighter troops looked as Validar's now-dead body collapsed on the metal floor, showing a bleeding body and white eyes that lacked pupils to mark those as the people who have seen Death in person. Dracula then tucked the powerful weapon into his cape, looking at Sephiroth.

"He was pretty weak anyway," Dracula said. "Besides, don't you have two more teammates you can count on?" Indie floated right beside Dracula, looking like he was becoming less like himself.

"Give the guy a chance," Indie said. "I'm slowly losing more of myself through each passing day, starting with my fingers…" Instead of the usual blue shovel-tipped fingers that Indie originally had, there was mere black wisp in place. Sephiroth looked at Dracula for a while, thinking about his decision. Just then, the Subspace computer was receiving a call from Morpho Knight and M. Bison.

"Hey, Sephiroth," Morpho Knight said through the screen. "Just a heads up, we'll be waiting for you at the Yggdrasil, and you'll hopefully take care of the intruders aboard the Legacy." Sephiroth approached the computer, tapping on the keyboard without pressing the buttons.

"I'll be with you there," Sephiroth replied before getting ready to end the transmission. However, he suddenly remembered something. "What about Infinite? Are his replicas doing fine?"

"Last thing we've heard," M. Bison said, "Infinite was kicked out of the Kin when Meta Knight and Sonic were captured, and the Ultimates Reborn flew to the Yggdrasil. We haven't heard back from the Phantom Clones, though it seems the security footage says it all." M. Bison then brought up a camera screen, showing Sonic the Hedgehog, bound and gagged, kicking the Sephiroth Phantom Clone in the crotch while Meta Knight was rescuing Daisy, Lucina, and PAC-MAN. Mega Man and Inkling broke through the vent pipes just when the Phantom Ruby clone called in the Fighting Mii Team.

"Are they still on board?" Sephiroth growled.

"Alive and free as a butterfly," Morpho Knight answered.

"Find them and kill them," Sephiroth snarled. "I want you to make sure the ultimate power never wakes up." Both M. Bison and Morpho Knight nodded before the transmission ended itself. Sephiroth then looked at Dracula, sighing.

"You're in," Sephiroth said, "and hopefully you'll be better than Validar."

"I already am," Dracula replied. "While you were too busy focusing on the fighters, I took that Blight Grima of yours and transformed it into a familiar friend, one who's powers are more intense than any other monster and Assist Trophy."

"Which friend, exactly?" Sephiroth asked, transporting the Assist Trophy Capsule to the Ultimates Reborn with his powers. Dracula showed off a small grin, knowing something that no one else in the Subspace Army knew.


In the black-red darkness as purple lightning flashed, Rathalos, with Pit still struggling and crying for help in his claws, was flying towards the Yggdrasil, the waypoint to the Ruins of the Ancients. The young angel then pulled out Palutena's Bow, splitting it in half, and slashing at the monster's claw. As Rathalos was roaring in pain, the red-skinned dragon let go of Pit, and the angel was falling to what was presumably his death.

"Hopefully this works!" Pit cried, admitting he didn't think first before attacking. His wings were flickering with light as he tried to unleash his Power of Flight, wobbling as he was keeping his balance. However, it was too late, as Pit crashed through the roof of the Kin, which was coincidentally below him as it was approaching the landing pad of the Yggdrasil, crashing into people who were already below him through the control room, making the prison ship explode on impact. As Pit slowly rubbed his head, he saw what appeared to be his old friends Sonic the Hedgehog and Meta Knight, as well as five new faces: PAC-MAN, Daisy, Lucina, Mega Man, and Inkling.

"…Sonic? Meta Knight?" Pit groaned. Sonic's ears perked up to hearing a familiar voice, and Meta Knight rubbed his mask as he heard the sound too. The two fighters looked up to see Pit in a burning background, crying tears of joy. Happy with relief, Sonic and Meta Knight ran towards Pit, hugging him, glad to see him again.

"I thought you were dead!" Pit cried. "I thought they killed you and dragged the Smash Ball out of you!" The three fighters broke the hug, looking at the five newcomers on their team. Everyone looked at the fiery explosion, which was caused aboard the Kin, and from the ashes emerged the Sephiroth cloned from Infinite's Phantom Ruby, showing red-and-black pixels as he was very weakened. Eventually, the clone dissolved, showing Rathalos in the background, flying towards the Legacy. When the warriors turned around, they saw they were on the bottom floor of the Yggdrasil, a tall, black-and-neon colored building shaped like a tree, with orb-shaped leaves as central control rooms, and the tip of the tower, shaped like a giant eagle, perched on top, poking through the black-red clouds and serving as the command center.

"So, our objective is to get to the top of that tower, right?" Sonic asked everyone. "Disable the Yggdrasil, weaken the troops, and head over to the Ruins of the Ancients?"

"Seems like it," Mega Man replied. "Looks like we'll have no time to waste. Come on, everybody." The small team then ran through the main entrance, while Infinite, now on the ground, watched from afar, slowly getting up and recharging his powers.

Chapter 17: The Monsters of the Yggdrasil

Summary:

As each fighter struggles to get their team back together, newcomers have arrived to multiply their number for better or worse.

Chapter Text

In the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, Bowser Jr. was sitting in the metal dragon's head, flying it to the Yggdrasil. Inside the stomach of the vehicle, Mario, the replicas and the originals, Cloud, Villager, Lucas, Little Mac, Shulk, the three divine beings, Bayonetta, Ridley, Greninja, and all the lost veterans were positioning, prepared to drop down onto the tallest building made by the Subspace Army. Link, straightening his Champion's Tunic, sat next to Cloud Strife, sighing as he looked with determination.

"Cloud?" Link asked the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"Yeah?" Strife replied in question as he looked to his left.

"I felt like…" Link sighed, "Back at the Midair Stadium, I was just about to say something to everyone before we got involved in this fight."

"What were you trying to say?" Cloud asked the Hylian. Link tossed his dirty blond locks behind his pointed ears, looking down at the burned ground from on high as the wind blew across his face from the opened shaft.

"I was just about to tell everyone how much we love each other, no matter how tough things seem to get," Link answered. "Hopefully you'll understand, since all of the other warriors are too fixed in the intense battle." Just then, Zelda walked to the two boys, holding the headset device in her hands.

"I hope you two boys are listening," Zelda said. "With this thing, we might have answers to our mysterious past. However, there's one victim of the Subspace Army who is on no one's side: Shadow Mewtwo. That Shadow Synergy Stone might be torturing him mentally, so we need to destroy it from within as fast as we can."

"Where would we find him?" Cloud Strife asked, Mario and the others looking at the princess. Zelda then pointed down on the middle floor of the Yggdrasil, where there was a huge glass window reflecting the lightning from the black-red cloud above them.

"Are you sure?" Snake asked the princess.

"Either we're correct, or we all die from Shulk's miscalculations in his visions by some powerful monster from inside," Zelda answered. Everyone looked at Shulk, worried about what might happen next.

"What?" Shulk said. "The Monado Arts aren't 100% accurate…" Ridley shook his head in annoyance before Bowser Jr. walked down, readying his position to jump in.

"Everybody ready?" Bowser Jr. asked. All the fighters in the team gave a thumbs up, the Pokémon Trainer releasing Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard. Relaxing themselves, the whole gang jumped from the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0, falling down and positioning themselves above the glass room as the dragon circled around in the black-red cloud. Red jumped on top of Charizard's back while Ivysaur and Squirtle hung on, and Lucas was crying in fear before Rosalina's Luma grabbed ahold of him, pulling him close to its mommy. With high winds on the rise, almost everyone positioned perfectly.

"You have the get out here before I kill you," Shadow Mewtwo telepathized, tears in his bloodshot eyes. Inside the glass room, the Ultimates Reborn have found Shadow Mewtwo, surrounding him as the pain from the Shadow Synergy Stone worsened. Purple sparks were generating from the palms of his hands, but the Brawler Ultimate Reborn pulled out the Assist Trophy Capsule given to them from before.

"We know," the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn answered, "but this mysterious guest will kill you first when we get out of here." Suddenly, the fighters that emerged from the metallic dragon crashed through the glass wall, with Bowser Jr. himself yet to be seen. Once the Ultimates Reborn looked at the direction of the collision, Shadow Mewtwo grabbed ahold of the Assist Trophy Capsule, but the three warriors knew they wouldn't let their guard down. As the small team approached closer, Shadow Mewtwo and the three Ultimates Reborn tugged harder on the Assist Trophy Capsule, eventually having rainbow-colored sparks generate from the glass rim of the item, showing more signs of breaking when all of a sudden, the glass bursted. The mysterious figure that was trapped within showed signs of forming as the light started dimming, and everyone in the room was surprised.

"Is that…?" Zero Suit Samus asked. Samus started charging up her arm cannon, knowing who this mysterious enemy is. From the Assist Trophy Capsule, a black figure that looked very similar to Samus was slowly getting up, glowing blue veins pulsing on her black exoskeleton as she rubbed the strangely-formed arm cannon with her alien hand. The markings on her helmet were different, showing that there was nothing human about her at all.

"Dark Samus," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn said, helping the other two of the Mii Fighter leaders up. "Sephiroth specifically asked for the son of Dracula to emerge! Why are we so unlucky!? Whatever… Warrior of pure Phazon, get rid of these losers…" The three Ultimates Reborn then started running out through the exit, leaving Dark Samus to face Mario and the gang. Shadow Mewtwo was still clenching his body, shooting black lightning from his fingers. He suddenly zapped Dark Samus before she approached the warriors, knocking her deep into the ventral system underneath them. Shadow Mewtwo then started telepathizing in pain, the Shadow Synergy Stone on his left shoulder close to breaking. Samus and Zero Suit Samus grabbed ahold of the possessed Pokémon while an alarm was sounding off, calling in Fighting Mii Team troops.

"Link and I will follow the Assist Trophy," Cloud Strife said to his friends. "The rest of you will have to take care of Shadow Mewtwo and destroy those Shadow Bugs within him." Cloud then grabbed ahold of Link, grabbing him close by the right side of the Hylian's waist. Holding each other close, the two warriors jumped down into the ventral system, away from everyone else.

Meanwhile, Bowser Jr. realized the strong winds that pushed him away from everyone else to their destination, and he was still falling, but through another room thousands of feet up. Once Bowser Jr. crashed through, he broke right through the strong supportive floor, slowing his descent. Also, when the Koopa Prince landed, he ripped a hole right in front of Sonic and his crew, who were just running to the top of the tower.

"Weepy?" the Inkling chirped.

"You're damn right 'weepy'," Sonic answered, looking through the dark floor along with Meta Knight and the others. "Someone's down there, and it doesn't look pretty…"

Bowser Jr. stirred from his unconsciousness, looking around the dim room he was stuck in. As he slowly got up, he noticed his Junior Clown Car was right in front of him, but the young Koopaling himself was covered in some sort of sticky goop, almost like a giant spiderweb, having him barely budge as he tried to crawl closer to his personal vehicle. The stone-textured room led down to a dark hallway, almost like an abandoned hospital in a horror film. Bowser Jr. then started getting terrified as the lights started flickering, showing gruesome images of actual living corpses crawling closer to him. The more the lights started flashing, the more the weak Koopaling could make out the zombie faces: pale, rotting skin, bleeding mouths, ragged clothes, dislodged jawbones, gouged eyeballs, basically anything gory, making Bowser Jr. feel terrified and queasy at the same time. Other monsters creeped out from the shadows: giant spiders, mummies, poltergeists, and mysterious creatures lurking in the darkness. Before any of the monsters even got as close to Bowser Jr. as they possibly could, a chain-like whip lashed right in front of them, breaking some of their limbs off. Bowser Jr. then turned his head to his right, noticing a figure right in front of him. Some of the zombies limped to the direction of the attack, but the figure tossed a bottle of Holy Water, which turned out to burst into a pillar of flames. As the fire from the Holy Water burned the cobweb that Bowser Jr. was stuck in, the Koopaling climbed back into his Junior Clown Car, looking at this strange warrior. Wielding his chain whip, the stranger looked a little like a barbarian, with blond hair supported by a metal bandana-like accessory, wearing ragged clothing and fur boots. Tucked in his neck was a necklace with a strange cross in the front as the stranger took it out for a brief moment before kissing it gently and putting it back in his uniform's neck collar. The warrior then pulled out an axe, throwing it like a boomerang as it sliced more of the zombie enemies. Jumping down from the hole, Sonic, Meta Knight, Mega Man, Pit, Inkling, Daisy, Lucina, and PAC-MAN saw they were cornered by unnatural enemies.

"Simon Belmont?" Sonic asked. The warrior turned to the blue hedgehog, confused.

"Do I know you?" Simon remarked in question, grabbing a zombie by the neck.

"Sorry," Sonic said, rubbing his face as rotting limbs were flung past the warriors. "It's just that I'm a very big fan…" A giant spider then crawled down from the leaking ceiling, but Sonic grabbed its eight legs as Lucina rushed in, slicing the creature's limbs off. More monsters started walking towards the fighters, with Bowser Jr. regaining a little courage as he sent out a small troop of explosive wind-up toys to blow up on impact, standing next to Daisy. Lucina and PAC-MAN readied their weapons next to Meta Knight, while Sonic the Hedgehog paired up with Clementine the Inkling. Pit and Mega Man stood next to Simon on both sides, preparing to attack.

"Pit, Mega Man, and Simon all teaming up to fight monsters," Sonic said. "For some reason, I feel VERY uncomfortable…" The zombies and the monsters lunged themselves at the fighters, snarling and groaning. Simon Belmont began lashing his Vampire Killer, followed by a series of heavy kicks. He flung a throwing cross at the mysterious creatures, scaring them away as Mega Man fired a series of sticky bombs. Pit flew in, firing his arrows from Palutena's Bow, piercing the monsters and killing them on impact. Bowser Jr. teamed up with Daisy, pelting the poltergeists with cannonballs and turnips and scaring them off. PAC-MAN then joined the other two fighters, throwing pixelated fruits at some of the incoming giant spiders, spraying water from his fire hydrant, and punching some of the monsters in the face. Lucina and Inkling stood side-by-side, running around each other in a circle while attacking the zombies surrounding them. Lucina stuck out her Falchion, slicing the zombies in half, while the Inkling rapidly jabbed with her Splattershot. Meta Knight and Sonic were cornered by a few zombies, attacking with the style of fighting they're best with.

"Careful, my blue comrade!" Meta Knight groaned, blocking an attack from one zombie. "One bite from their virus-infected mouths will turn you into one of them!"

"You don't think I know that!?" Sonic replied in question, stretching another zombie's mouth beyond its limit to dislocate the lower jawbone and break the monster's neck. "I've watched plenty of zombie media to get the idea! I know what happens next when you become defeated by the undead!" Sonic then kicked the zombie's head off, sending it flying to another zombie's face, followed by a spindash from the blue hedgehog himself. After the surviving monsters retreated back into the darkness, Simon and the small team congratulated their victory, clapping in relief that the scary room was cleared. Well, everyone except for Bowser Jr., anyway…

"Look at all of you, the High-and-Mighty team…" Bowser Jr. sighed, hiding in his Junior Clown Car. "You're not afraid to stand up to those monsters, and I was really just a wimp trying to get back to my papa…" The young Koopaling sat upright in his personal vehicle, the face on the car sad and terrified. Sonic slowly walked towards him, showing some signs of comfort.

"It's alright, buddy," Sonic said. "You at least got credit for trying. I mean, we have a pretty powerful warrior on our side, trapped in this room for God knows how long…"

"You just don't understand," Bowser Jr. objected, his voice slightly breaking. "I've been away from my papa for ten years, hopefully becoming part of the Subspace Army to reunite with the only family I have left…" Tears started building up in the Koopaling's eyes, and the fighters looked at the sobbing prince. Simon let go of the door handle in the dark hallway just to walk towards the terrified Koopa prince.

"Now, there just might be a day where my papa might die from… those things… and I might never see him again, not even knowing the good deeds he did against the Subspace Army…" Bowser Jr. then started bawling, crying as loud as he could as more tears built up. Sonic and his team started getting irritated by the spoiled prince, looking at the dark hallway.

"I guess we should be going now," Simon said, opening the door. "I've been searching these halls and still haven't found an answer to destroy this resource building."

"Yeah, I guess we should get going…" Sonic groaned, grabbing the Junior Clown Car by its rim with Bowser Jr. still inside, crying loud in sadness that he might never see his father again. All the other fighters then walked off, following Simon Belmont. Pit looked at Mega Man, slightly confused.

"Did Sonic say we look uncomfortable with Simon?" Pit asked. Mega Man then scoffed, grabbing Pit by the wrist and dragging him to the others, ready to leave this nightmarish room.

Chapter 18: Inside The World Tree

Summary:

Using a special device the fighters found in Civiltatula, it's going to take plenty of skill to rescue Shadow Mewtwo from the clutches of the Subspace Army.

Chapter Text

Far outside the Yggdrasil, underneath the Legacy's shadow as it landed on the boarding platform, another strange warrior stood outside the gates. He was holding a sword similar to Lucina's Falchion, and he was wearing a shoulder plate on his left. He had blue hair, and he had the mark of the Naga on his right shoulder. His silver cape flowed behind him as he looked up, watching as Rathalos crawled on the surface of the ship, trying to claw through and attack any intruders inside.

"Hopefully my daughter isn't in that ship," the warrior said. "The least I could do is make sure she's okay, even if she knows how to defend herself from the moves of the Hero King…" Suddenly, he heard a hovercraft zooming right into his direction. The hovercraft had a yellow-and-green paint on its plate, and the back was filled with golden-skinned bananas marked with the Kong symbol in red. Two of a species of crocodile-like creatures were on each side, one green and the other blue. Driving the truck was a large, plump, brass-bellied reptilian king with red eyes and a loud laugh.

"With the Kongs gone to defend their Golden Banana horde, I can have all their delicious fruit to myself!" the crocodile king laughed. "Powering my ultimate weapon, these tasty treats will be the power of a lifeti- Whoa, whoa, whoa!" The crocodile king noticed the blue-haired warrior right in front of him, and he tried stepping on the brakes as his two minions held onto the hovertruck's sides. There was no time to stop the collision as a big whack from the hovertruck sent the two warriors flying. A brief explosion took place, and as the blue-haired warrior got up, he saw the crocodile king looking down upon him, furious.

"How dare you stop King K. Rool as he tries to escape with the one thing to destroy Kong Island…" the crocodile king growled.

"Stop you?" the blue-haired warrior asked. "My fellow comrade, I believe those bananas aren't technically yours…"

"Why do you think I'm stealing them for my own evil deeds?" King K. Rool asked. "And just who do you think you are to question the Kremling King, ruler of the Kritters?"

"My name is Chrom, and I clearly didn't know you were coming my way," the blue-haired warrior answered. "I was only looking for Lucina and Robin, my daughter and partner."

"Oh, you have a precious baby you're looking for, do ya? As well as a partner?" King K. Rool asked in sarcasm as the black-red cloud from up above thundered. "Listen, buddy! I ain't lookin' for your kid an' teammate! I've already got enough problems as it is with trying to steal from the Kongs when they're not around anymore! First I had to put up with Bowser's minions, now you…"

"You see that huge ship next to the Yggdrasil?" Chrom asked, pointing to the Legacy and Rathalos. "This strange creature aboard the ship is trying to claw through and attack whoever's inside. I fear that my only daughter is trapped in there, as well as my partner. I'm asking you to team up with me, since there are bigger threats than a stubborn king stealing the same loot as you…"

"What do I know of this 'threat'?" King K. Rool scoffed. Suddenly, purple lightning zapped the two Kritters that were on King K. Rool's hovertruck, which was now burning along with the Golden Banana horde. As soon as the lightning struck, more Kritters and Klaptraps crawled from the hillside, giving off a purple glow in their eyes like the Kritters that were hit. The reptilians looked at their king next to the blue-haired warrior, though not as a ruler anymore and… more like an enemy.

"What?" King K. Rool asked. "Why are you looking at me like that?" The crocodile-like creatures walked closer, grinning evilly, followed by flying Tiki Buzzes.

"Your Majesty," Chrom objected quietly, "I don't think they're on your side anymore…" The Kremlings and Evil Tikis rushed at the two fighters – the green Kritter biting, the blue Kritter spinning, the Klaptrap clamping its jaws, and the Tiki Buzz swooping downward. The four species of monsters started charging, but Chrom unleashed his Falchion just in time. Chrom attacked the same as Roy, but he was different with his Aether recovery, and wind effects to replace the fiery attacks that Roy had, plus with a tipless sword. King K. Rool grabbed ahold of his Blunderbuss, launching a cannonball and sucking few enemies in before firing them, as well as counter-attacking with his brass belly and throwing his crown like a boomerang. The objective was to get aboard the Legacy while fighting off the Kremlings that have somehow betrayed them and stop Rathalos from attacking whoever was inside.

Chrom was the first to rush, lashing at the Kritters and Klaptraps that stood in their way, slicing with powerful wind effects in a manner mainly similar to Roy, along with a moveset mixed with Marth and Ike. King K. Rool tossed Chrom onto his back as he ran, ramming into the Tiki Buzzes that landed on the ground at a bad time. Chrom then jumped off K. Rool's back, preforming a combo move with his sword that launched the Klaptraps. The Kremlings and the Evil Tikis started running after the two fighters, but they managed to get away in time across the flat landscape, killing off most of the Kremling King's minions as they rushed to the Legacy.

Once Chrom and King K. Rool got near the boarding area of the Legacy, they saw the red, dragon-like monster already broke through the hull of the ship, searching for intruders. More of the mutated Primids were surrounding the perimeter, some of them holding weapons that looked like the miniature version of the Dark Cannon. Simply rushing in without a plan, the blue-haired swordfighter teamed up with the crocodile king and started attacking few of the minor Subspace Army troops. The Primids holding the miniature Dark Cannons fired, and anyone caught in their line would be caught in an explosive blast. King K. Rool clawed his way through, throwing his crown as a projectile in the process. Meanwhile, Chrom cleared a way in by knocking out all the Primids, opening a gateway inside.

"Come on, K. Rool!" Chrom yelled, waving towards the entrance. The Kremling King was a little busy at the moment, whacking some Goombas and Koopa Troopas around with his giant fists. Eventually, King K. Rool began running towards the entrance, grabbing Chrom and busting in. After the two fighters got up, they saw the area looked empty, but just on the first floor of the ship. The two warriors looked around, seeing certain ships that were destroyed ten years ago: the Halberd, the ship that carried Donkey Kong when he was trapped in his trophy form, even Galleom and Duon being built again for real as the three-headed cyborg Jotun. As they looked around, they saw many empty display platforms with pictures of the real weapons that were there before. Devices and technology both warriors had never seen before were instead replaced by holograms as the revealed prototypes.

"What… are those things?" Chrom asked, his hand going through one holographic weapon that was a futuristic cannon on wheels.

"I have no idea," King K. Rool answered, admiring another display of a hydra-like android with what appeared to be a hundred heads, each one in a similar pose that looked like Tabuu who fired his Off-Waves ten years ago. "Even from an evil mastermind like me, this stuff is nothing you see every day…" Just then, both King K. Rool and Chrom heard yelling from someone upstairs. Looking around the room, the two fighters saw a hovering elevator with chrome plating with glowing blue outlines. Figuring this was their only way up, the duo got in, and the elevator rose up with no cables to the next floor.


The room was small, but the blue lights were bright enough to make out who was the third guest inside, whacking on the locked metal door as the only way in. The stranger whacking on the door was a black-haired mercenary, clothed blue and wielding a whip similar to Simon's. The Holy Water he grabbed out of his pocket burned in napalm flames when thrown on the ground, and his axe was leaving scratches on the steel of the locked door. The stranger turned around, noticing King K. Rool and Chrom were in the room with him.

"I don't suppose you're here for the same thing too, huh?" the stranger panted, wiping the sweat from his forehead. "I've seen the beast as well and hoping to slay it. I can still hear its roars from outside this door. It's found its prey…"

"Excuse me, but… who are you?" King K. Rool asked, Chrom approaching the stranger slowly.

"My name is Richter Belmont, the destined vampire hunter," the stranger answered, whacking the door again with his Vampire Killer. "There are fellow people trapped in here that I would like to help get out, but the door's jammed…"

"Please, let us help," Chrom said, unsheathing his sword, which glowed with blue gusts of wind. "We can help you break this door down…" Chrom then started slashing at the metal door, followed by King K. Rool and Richter slicing with their powerful weapons, eventually breaking the door down. As soon as the door broke open, the three fighters looked as they saw the creature known as Rathalos, cornering Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Falco, Marth, Ganondorf, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Duck Hunt, Ryu, and Corrin.

"Stand back…" Captain Falcon said. "I'm warning you, creature!" The monster started roaring, its high screeches so loud it stunned anyone up close, and it was just about to breath fire before something slashed at its wings. As the monster started growling in pain, the Big Blue Group and the Wolfen Assault Group turned around and saw Richter, Chrom, and King K. Rool pulling out their weapons and clenching their fists.

"Thanks for coming to help us, strangers," Marth said. "We could really use some help around here." Chrom, relieved, knelt down in front of Marth, realizing he has reunited with the Hero King.

"I've heard tales about your good deeds, Marth," Chrom sighed.

"Are you okay?" Robin asked, peeking out from behind Marth and few of the other fighters.

"Robin, am I glad to see you!" Chrom said, hugging the white-haired tactician. "Have you seen Lucina yet, my friend?"

"Actually…" Robin tried answering before Corrin tapped his shoulder. Chrom broke the hug to see what was going on.

"I hate to be the breaker of bad news to you, but…" Corrin said, pointing at Rathalos, who was crawling towards the fighters. With a mighty roar, the two groups with their new companions started getting prepared to face a powerful foe.

Rathalos first came down with a mighty swoop, expanding his claws to grab whoever was on the ground. Fox and Falco started firing with their blasters, jabbing and reflecting the powerful fireballs in the meantime. Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, and King K. Rool jumped on top of the beast, clawing and punching through its dragon-tough skin. While Rathalos was trying to shake the three animal fighters off, Ike ran in, lashing his Ragnell with an erupting pillar of fire.

Roy joined in, teaming up with Chrom, Robin, Marth, and Corrin, the four of them avoiding the dragon flying in, catching the three animal fighters as they fell, and lashing at Rathalos' wings with their swords. King Dedede and Kirby watched out for Rathalos flying in with a powerful, fiery blast, and the two Popstarian warriors immediately started jabbing at the beast.

The dragon was showing signs of fatigue, trying to shake off Olimar's Pikmin that were thrown onto its body. As it roared again, Yoshi, Lucario, and Pikachu launched powerful projectiles into its mouth, exploding the beast from inside. However, it was just about to fire another flaming ball as it flew into the air, but Richter threw Jigglypuff in ball form at Rathalos' mouth as the rest of the gang kept attacking. Jigglypuff's light body then forced the beast to choke, weakening Rathalos. The moment the dragon coughed Jigglypuff out, having the Pokémon get caught by Peach, Luigi ran underneath its belly, trying not to be afraid as he jumped up, landing a critical punch that knocked Rathalos out.

The beast, now defeated, retreated from the hole of the ship it ripped through, flying out into the black-red darkness. The group looked at each other, wondering what's going on.

"Thought you might have needed extra hands," Chrom panted, putting his Falchion away.

"Don't mention it," Ryu replied. "By the way, what happened to the monsters that were believed to have been inside?"

"Maybe they all left for the Yggdrasil?" Fox McCloud answered in question. "Besides, I think they thought Rathalos could take care of them, and so left off for the World Tree to do… something that we can't figure out yet…"

"We saw weapons on the first floor," Chrom replied. "Well, holograms of it anyway… It looked like they were taken into the building, being shipped to this Subspace Army in a world not of ours…"

"That's why there weren't many enemies at the gate," King K. Rool snarled.

"Whatever they want inside, it can't be good," Wii Fit Trainer said.

"We're going to break in and destroy that building before any of the weapons leave," Ganondorf answered, clenching his fists.

"Just a heads-up: where's Pit?" Ike asked, looking around. "I tried asking you for the past few minutes, but it looks like the fight was too intense to even do a head count."

"Last thing I remember, Pit was about to join us," Ness responded. "Wonder where he's at…?"

"We'll know once we head into the Yggdrasil," Lucario answered. "Let's go, everyone." The warriors ran off, leaving the empty ship to one of the many gateways in the World Tree.


Inside the glass room, Shadow Mewtwo was still struggling as he was held down by Samus and Zero Suit Samus. The Shadow Synergy Stone was beginning to show signs of cracking, the Shadow Bugs that possessed his body starting to hold on as the Pokémon's skin was showing underneath. As the Shadow Bugs started swirling around his body, both Zero Suit Samus and Samus had to let go. Grabbing ahold of the small device they believed would save Shadow Mewtwo, Pichu carried it to Zelda. The princess then snatched it, ready to ask who would risk their lives. The alarm kept going, and more of the Fighting Mii Team troops dropped from the ceiling.

"This is ridiculous!" Dr. Mario exclaimed, trying to warn the Miis to back off. "Who's going to save the Pokémon while we fight the Miis!?"

"Give me the device, Hylian princess," Bayonetta answered, grabbing Snake's wrist. "Army boy and I are going to take a little detour to the dark side. You'll have to defend the Pokémon while we rescue him from within." Zelda nodded and gave the device to Cereza, who was linking it to her head.

"Be careful," Zelda said. Bayonetta then used a strand of her hair and tied her waist to Snake's utility belt, placing part of the device on the soldier's forehead. Wind was blowing hard from Shadow Mewtwo, who was still fighting the Shadow Bugs. The Umbran Witch's hair kept the two fighters close together as the wind got stronger, and Bayonetta managed to stick the last portion of the device on the Pokémon's head. Snake and Bayonetta hugged each other as the two of them turned the headset machine on, zapping them with lightning. After a sudden flash, Snake, Bayonetta, and Shadow Mewtwo were gone, leaving Mario, Dr. Mario, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Young Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Villager, Pichu, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Pokémon Trainer (Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle), Ridley, Lucas, Little Mac, Shulk, Palutena, Dark Pit, Rosalina & Luma, and Greninja alone to face the Fighting Mii Team.


Bayonetta slowly got up, pulling her black hair back into her clothes. She looked to her right and saw Snake crawling to the Umbran Witch.

"Looks like somebody woke from his nap," Bayonetta said, helping Snake get up.

"Where are we?" Snake groaned. The two fighters looked around, noticing they were in some sort of dimension. The ground was made out of the same material as found in the Dark Synergy Stone, and the sky was pitch-black while stardust danced in the air. Darkened opal pillars formed out of the ground and Primids, as they had appeared ten years ago, emerged, staring at the warriors.

"Looks like we'll have to follow the black brick road to the land of the tortured Pokémon," Cereza chuckled. Snake and Bayonetta then pulled out their guns, ready to attack some Shadow Bugs and save Shadow Mewtwo. The Umbran Witch rushed forward along the pathway, transforming into her Panther Within and mauling the first Primids who crossed her path. Snake ran behind her, throwing grenades and firing rocket missiles, grabbing a Boom Primid from behind and breaking its neck. Bayonetta jumped on top of Snake's shoulders, light as a feather.

"Spin me right round, baby," Bayonetta said to Snake, her words as smooth as honey. Snake pulled out his pistol and shot the incoming Scope and Sword Primids while Bayonetta used her "Love is Blue" guns and fired in all directions with magical bullets from both her hands and feet. Cereza then jumped off the soldier mercenary, sweeping him off his feet and running as fast as she could while strands of her hair opened portals to Inferno, unleashing Madonna Butterfly's limbs that dealt powerful blows to the neverending Primids.

Just as soon as Snake and Bayonetta were in the clear, they saw they were in some sort of coliseum, where there was a yellow barrier surrounding them. In the center, hovering in midair, Shadow Mewtwo was about to give up. The Pokémon had been through a lifetime of struggling, and the Shadow Synergy Stone finally broke, its shards flying all over the place. Once the Shadow Bugs were free, they took on the form of their possessor, forming into a real "Shadow Mewtwo", which looked the same as before, but with the Shadow Synergy Stone gone, the Pokémon's body the same color as the Shadow Bugs, and his eyes glowing an eerie yellow. The new and improved Shadow Mewtwo touched down on the ground, his feet barely touching, glaring at Snake and Bayonetta.

The Shadow Bug fighter flew into Solid Snake, slamming him into the yellow barrier surrounding the coliseum. As Shadow Mewtwo was about to strangle Snake, Bayonetta grabbed the Shadow Bug warrior with Umbra Witch magic, smacking him and tossing the possessed creature into midair before she flew up with an uppercut. However, Shadow Mewtwo grabbed her by the neck, tossing her down and unleashing a rain of Shadow Balls upon her.

Snake flew in holding onto a drone, hopping on top of the possessed Pokémon's shoulders. Snake managed to get Shadow Mewtwo down on the ground with a series of C4's planted on the Shadow Bug fighter's chest. Snake loaded a rocket missile, and Bayonetta ran to his side to fire magical bullets, aware that Shadow Mewtwo might reflect them with Confusion.

The two fired their weapons, and Bayonetta transformed into her Panther Within to run faster than the projectiles. Shadow Mewtwo was about to reflect them, but Cereza transformed back to normal and placed the Shadow Bug fighter in a headlock as the projectiles hit his chest, and Snake came in for the final blow with a fist punch.


After Shadow Mewtwo was defeated, all the Shadow Bugs vanished in midair, and the only thing that remained was the trophy that they had possessed. Bayonetta slowly walked towards the prize with Snake next to her, wondering how to get their enemy back.

"How do you think you save another fighter?" Bayonetta asked, playing with her white gloves. "Do you cast some sort of spell, or…?"

"Actually…" Snake answered, kneeling down next to the trophy. With a single touch of the golden base, Snake gave life back to the trophy, and it started glowing with rainbow-like sparks. Once the fight was over, Mewtwo was awakened, with pale white-pink skin and a darkened magenta tail, not with a black body and an orange tail. The Shadow Synergy Stone fused to his left shoulder was gone, and he saw the two fighters who saved him.

"What… what happened?" Mewtwo telepathized.

"You were imprisoned by the Subspace Army," Snake answered, "but we brought you back."

"Thank you," Mewtwo telepathized. The legendary Pokémon slowly levitated off the ground, sighing in relief that the nightmare he had suffered through was over. Suddenly, the yellow barrier broke, and the world that Mewtwo was trapped in was dissolving, along with all the Primids that made this place their home. Bayonetta dragged Snake and helped him stay close to Mewtwo as she wrapped more of her hair around the three of them, hoping they would stay together.

"Now that we're done, do you think you could warp us out of here?" Bayonetta asked Mewtwo.

"It has been a long time, but I'll try," Mewtwo telepathized in answer. Using his powers, the Pokémon warped both himself and the two fighters out of his world before it closed in, revealing only darkness. The moment the three warriors came back to the glass room they were stuck in, they saw many of the fighters they were stuck with from the beginning already attacking the Fighting Mii Team.

"Did we miss anything?" Bayonetta asked.

"You missed plenty," Zero Suit Samus answered, blocking an attack with her Plasma Whip. "Basically, while you two were gone rescuing Shadow Mewtwo, an enemy Shulk calls Metalface arrived in the scene, blasting lasers and clawing his way through everyone, hoping to destroy us all…" When Mewtwo, Bayonetta, and Snake looked, they saw a huge, spiky robot which was presumed to be Metalface, Shulk's rival. The Mechon grabbed ahold of Shulk, who was trying to pull out his Monado Arts.

"Well, well, well," Metalface laughed. "If it isn't Monado Boy, trembling in my clutches. Did your fairy godmother die again in your lucky winning streak?" A sudden burst of energy then flowed from Mewtwo, who blasted the entire glass room, bursting the windows and sending the Fighting Mii Team flying. The legendary Pokémon looked at the Mechon, generating purple sparks from his hands. The other fighters joined up to his side, and Shulk squirmed enough to grab ahold of his weapon, slicing Metalface's hand off and dropping onto the ground.

"You'll pay for this, traitor," Metalface groaned, pointing at Mewtwo. "Yes, you'll pay…" Samus and Shulk ran up to the Mechon, avoiding its laser beams. The bounty hunter then jumped, releasing bombs from her Power Suit, while the Bionis pulled out his blade and started glowing purple, the both of them attacking Metalface. Dr. Mario twirled around in his cyclone move, followed by both Young Link and Toon Link, who latched onto Metalface's jetpacks and clawed their way through with their swords in their left hands. Mewtwo floated in with a quick purple slice from his hands, and Greninja used water from its long tongue to create a shuriken powerful enough to slice through Metalface's body.

Snake and Bayonetta tried staying out of this as best as they could, helping out with only their projectiles, since they were already in a boss fight. Zero Suit Samus, Palutena, and Rosalina with her yellow Luma avoided the Mechon's claw attacks, the three women kicking and jabbing. The Ice Climbers, Wolf, Pichu, and Red's three Pokémon went in, weakening Metalface even more, followed by Villager who landed a big hit with his shovel and a KO Punch from Little Mac. As soon as Metalface was defeated, he went out in a massive explosion, the remains of his robotic body flying off into the depths of the Yggdrasil, crying, "Not fair! I cannot lose!" The warriors looked at the hole the Mechon ripped through, which made a doorway and a shortcut deeper into the building.

"Looks like we have a way in," Rosalina said, the Luma of hers hugging close.

"What about Cloud and Link?" Mario asked in objection. "Aren't we supposed to wait here until they come back with Dark Samus?"

"I'm afraid in times like these, they're forced to find us again in some way," Palutena answered in grief, floating with Mewtwo to the ripped hole in the wall.

"I know a way where we can destroy the weapons before they leave the building," Mewtwo said. "The only thing to do is self-destruct the Yggdrasil at the control room in the top." All the fighters in the group nodded, walking off to the top of the building leaving a destroyed room behind.

Chapter 19: Mayor's Assistant, Phazon Warrior

Summary:

Deep in the storage room, Cloud and Link confront Dark Samus alongside another Assist Trophy.

Chapter Text

As Cloud Strife and Link began falling through the floor that Dark Samus was launched downwards, the two warriors were pretty amazed by how deep it was. Was the knockback so powerful it sent an Assist Trophy tumbling several floors down? Eventually, Cloud managed to see the floor as he held on tighter to Link.

"Hold on, elf," Cloud said, hugging Link closer. Spreading apart his legs, the 1st-class SOLDIER managed to land perfectly on the floor, causing a booming noise. Link then slowly let go of Cloud when he felt that they were on solid ground.

"Whew… Thanks," Link sighed, adjusting his blue tunic. "Say, do you know where the light switch is?" From what the two warriors could gather, they were somewhere in a really dark room, with only a few glowing objects they can't even make out. Link then pulled out his Sheikah slate, pressing a button that triggered the device to switch to flashlight mode. The light emitted was dim, but it was bright enough for the two swordfighters to find a switch. Then, Cloud pointed at a rusted switch board, where only one button was visible.

"…Is this it?" Cloud asked Link, forgetting that he accidently flicked the switch. Just as the lights buzzed on, both Link and Cloud Strife looked around, seeing all sorts of wacky items in treasure chests, shelves, boxes, and too many storage devices to count. Shelf after shelf, the two warriors could figure out that on one side, there were lots of spherical orbs, some red, others violet-and-magenta with a large "M" on the front, and there was a button in the center. On the other side of the room were the rainbow-glowing capsules from before. Cloud was amazed by how many there were, as well as Link.

"What are these things?" Cloud asked, turning his attention towards the Hero of Hyrule.

"Back at the Midair Stadium, we called them Assist Trophies, Pokéballs, and Master Balls," Link answered. "The Assist Trophies, as you saw before, are capable of summoning other warriors that can only help the user. The Pokéballs and Master Balls, well, summon Pokémon, though the Master Ball calls forth the pseudo-legendries and the legendries, both of which are extremely hard to find. I'm actually pretty surprised by how many there were back at the vault. Be careful, Cloud. If you touch one of these items, the summoned warrior will be bound to the world forever thanks to the alternated rules…" As Cloud walked near the Assist Trophy capsules, he saw figures dancing around, but not in grace and moreover the pain they're going through as becoming mere prisoners of their bound fate. Suddenly, they've heard some demonic laughing from the other side of the room.

Cloud Strife and Link pulled out their weapons, finding out the laughter is coming from not a Primid but Dark Samus herself. The blue Phazon pulsed through her body as she banged on an old computer box next to her. The black-and-blue creature started screeching unholy cries, and the computer box automatically picked up the screams and translated them.

"Are you listening to the cries of the Phazon warrior, Dark Samus?" the Subspace computer spoke as it translated Dark Samus' cries. "If you are, then try to catch me if you can."

"What is this place?" Cloud asked, his glowing cyan eyes brighter than before.

"Here, you are seeing the birth of a new nation," the Subspace computer continued as Dark Samus kept growling. "Everyone knows fighters alone can summon assistants and Pokémon into this world, whether intended for good or evil. Once our professional warriors call them forth, the Subspace Army will become unstoppable. Hopefully you wouldn't be around to experience the glorious rebirth because you'll be dead by then." Dark Samus then fired an alien web-coated missile at the computer box next to her, destroying the device. The lights flickered for a moment, and once they were fully on again, Cloud and Link gasped in awe when they saw Dark Samus on top of a yellow-bodied warrior with a single red eye in the center of its body – the Yellow Devil.

Cloud couldn't handle it anymore. He ran to the Assist Trophies, leaving Link behind in front of Dark Samus and that monstrous thing. The 1st-class SOLDIER then grabbed ahold of a random Assist Trophy, touching the bottom of its base. As the rainbow lights flickered into confetti specks, everyone saw what appeared to be a blond-colored poodle with her hair tied in a bun, and she was wearing office clothing similar to a mayor's assistant. The anamorphic dog being looked around, finding herself in a scary place at a bad time.

Dark Samus suddenly started screeching, commanding in her own language the Yellow Devil to attack. The Phazon warrior jumped from the robot's back onto the floor, where she levitated, and the Yellow Devil broke itself into multiple parts that flew at the three warriors. The Yellow Devil then reassembled back together, its red eye gleaming at Cloud Strife and Link. Meanwhile, the anamorphic dog didn't know what to do the moment she was immediately summoned as Dark Samus charged right towards her with a static arm cannon.

The anamorphic fighter dodged the volts, swinging out her fishing rod. The hook latched onto Dark Samus' neck, with the line wrapping around her. The dog-like mayor's assistant, with a confused and terrified face, reeled in Dark Samus as she was struggling, but the Phazon warrior burned off the line quickly and used a plasma tether to draw the Assist Trophy in.

Meanwhile, Cloud Strife jumped on top of the Yellow Devil, slashing at the robot's single eye while Link ran in from behind to attack as well. The Yellow Devil then started shooting small but powerful lasers as Link blocked them with his Hylian Shield. The blue-clad warrior then jumped up and threw a blue-glowing bomb at the Yellow Devil, detonating it in a powerful explosion with his Sheikah Slate. However, Cloud was hurt by the explosion too, and he flew right into Link as the Yellow Devil was badly damaged. As Cloud Strife quickly recovered, he saw that he was on top of Link's body after the collision, the two of them facing each other.

"Careful next time!" Cloud yelled.

"Sorry, sorry," Link stammered. When the two warriors looked behind themselves, they saw the Yellow Devil was creating a big explosion, a growing fireball suddenly disappearing out of existence as the Yellow Devil was gone. Once Link and Cloud got up, Dark Samus immediately roared at them as she threw the summoned anamorphic stranger onto the floor with her Phazon tether. The Assist Trophy was badly wounded and was trying to unleash a confetti popper, but Dark Samus was glowing blue with wrath as she charged a powerful plasma orb to fire and finish the summoned fighter for good. Just then, Link threw his boomerang, ricocheting off Dark Samus' black exoskeleton. The Phazon warrior jerked her neck to see Link charge up his Master Sword's power and Cloud Strife jumping on top of her. The 1st-class SOLDIER thrusted his Buster Sword onto Dark Samus' head, pinning her down in place as the blade cut deep into her tough skin. Link instantly launched his sword's power, unleashing a wave of light, and knocked Dark Samus out.

Once the Phazon warrior was lying down unconscious, Link and Cloud Strife looked at the trembling Assist Trophy that they summoned, who was wounded at that time. The anamorphic dog then got up quickly, brushing off her scratches. With a cute voice, the summoned fighter began to speak.

"Thanks for saving me," she barked. "I was beginning to become cramped in there…" Link rubbed his head as Cloud stared at her.

"Oh, I just forgot," the Assist Trophy continued. "I haven't introduced myself. My name is Isabelle, assistant of the mayor of Smashville."

"Isabelle?" Cloud Strife asked. "Last time we were at Smashville, the whole place was deserted, and we were told by Sephiroth that he killed everyone off for food except Villager. Didn't think he would mention you."

"I think there were a few survivors," Link butted in.

"Geez, that's terrible," Isabelle chirped. "I'm just at least glad Mayor Villager is okay."

"Villager was mayor of this town?" Link added in question. "He looked like just a kid, let alone younger than Toon Link or Young Link…"

"Well, best not to underestimate the little guy…" Cloud answered. Just then, the three warriors looked at Dark Samus slowly crawling up. The Phazon warrior was wobbling, trying to charge up a plasma ball but failing.

"Hey, Isabelle," Cloud asked. "Can I borrow your fishing rod?" Isabelle, without question, gave the 1st-class SOLDIER her fishing rod, and Cloud suddenly cut off a long piece of the line. He glided to Dark Samus before she could even react, binding the Phazon warrior's arms behind her back and ending by creating a leash from no more than tying the leftover line around her neck. As Dark Samus was struggling with the bondage and screeching, Cloud Strife gave the Phazon alien's leash line to Link.

"We gonna get out of this place," Cloud said. "Until we reunite with the rest of our companions and burn the Yggdrasil to the ground, Dark Samus is coming with us as prisoner." While Dark Samus continued howling unholy cries as she tried to untie her arms behind her back with her arm cannon, Link took ahold of her leash as he pulled her towards her.

"There's a way that leads us out of this room," Cloud then said, pointing to a doorway. "If we go through there, we might find someone to help us. Isabelle, you're gonna be on our team from now on."

"What?" Isabelle exclaimed. "Me? I barely even know how to fight! You saw how I dealt with Dark Samus. I hardly have any experience from throwing all that fruit…"

"Understandable," Cloud replied. "However, the least you could do is remind us when Dark Samus is attempting to get away…" Cloud Strife and Link then walked off to the door, dragging Dark Samus along with them as hostage. Isabelle then shook her head, running towards the two warriors to join with them.

"Hopefully we don't run into powerful enemies, don't we?" Isabelle chirped.

"We hopefully won't," Link answered as the four warriors went through the door, leaving an empty room filled with thousands of wacky items, Assist Trophy capsules, Pokéballs, and Master Balls…

Chapter 20: The Mii Fighter Army

Summary:

Once the Super Smash Brothers go off against the children of the Ultimates, they slowly start to learn that maybe these memories were frauds all along...

Chapter Text

As both the Falcon Flyer Group and the Wolfen Assault Group scaled through the Legacy, they found it was completely empty, and all they saw were holograms of ancient weapons. Chrom walked towards one of the holograms, scraping some dust off the bases.

"It looks like these things were thousands of years old…" Chrom replied as Richter looked back on him. The other fighters walked off to the control room, curious to see what's up there.

"Probably extinct by now," Richter replied. "They were probably scrapped ideas long forgotten." The blue-haired lord looked back at the black-haired Belmont, nodding in agreement.

"Understand," Chrom replied. "Now let's see how we can pilot this thing before-" Suddenly, the Legacy began shaking.

"Can we NEVER get a break?" Richter moaned.

"We gotta get to everyone," Chrom exclaimed, remembering the rest of the team. "Come on!" Chrom then grabbed Richter by the arm, running up to the main control room. Once the two warriors got up there, they saw the rest of the gang had come across Dracula, and he was towering above them at least over ten feet. His pale face and red eyes glared at everyone, and he was licking his vampire fangs.

"Looks like I found some fresh meat to dine on tonight," Dracula chuckled. "Did you really think the place was abandoned after that Rathalos I sent in?"

"Enough fun and games," Fox snarled. "You better let us take control of this ship or there's gonna be trouble."

"It's fine anyway," Dracula sneered, unfurling his cape as mostly everyone held onto their preferred weapons. The vampire count was then about to unleash a burst of flames… until he suddenly felt a burning kick into his face. Dracula then shook his face as he slowly got up, confused by this nonsense.

"Who did that!?" Dracula yelled. When he then looked down, he saw a blond-haired martial artist, wearing orange clothing and a black belt. He was also barefoot, like Ryu, even with the stance and all.

"Glad I'm here to interrupt someone's monologue," the martial artist spoke, his fingerless-gloved hands engulfed in flames. "Name's Ken, by the way."

"Enough of your foolish games," Dracula growled, his back arching forward. The vampire then grew so large that his head touched the steel ceiling, and everyone stared in awe. Dracula's face then shifted, unfurling demonic wings and sprouting horns on his head. Dracula's clothes were then ripped apart, revealing what was left of a legendary vampire now stands a dark-green devil, staring at the fighters with pupil-less eyes. Just then, all those warriors started rushing in, lashing left and right on his body, barely giving the Lord of Monsters any time to react before the fighters, along with Ken, took down the legendary Dracula without even having him move.

Once Dracula shrunk back down to his normal form, Ken and the warriors looked in confusion.

"This is Dracula, one of the most powerful bosses out there," Richter said. "Wonder why it was so easy to defeat him this time, especially when he did nothing."

"You're right," Falco replied, putting away his blaster. "This isn't anything normal, for what good is a Subspace Army boss if he can't even fight?" Dracula then slowly got up, clenching his twitching body.

"What?" Dracula moaned, trying to stand upright. "Normally, I attack whoever's in my sight, especially the Belmonts, but…" Everyone was still looking at the vampire, probably wondering if he was even worse than Vladimir…

"I need to go back to Subspace," Dracula continued. "Hopefully I can get some answers to this…" Transforming into a giant, wispy bat, Dracula flew out of the control room, outside the Legacy. Once the warriors looked at each other again, they were confused by what just happened.

"Hey, Ken!" Ryu then said. "Nice to see you again, buddy." The two martial artists then gave each other a bro hug, glad to meet one another.

"Nice to see you too, old friend," Ken replied, shaking Ryu's hand. "By the way, isn't it strange that one of the most powerful bosses just simply gives up before we even start a fight?

"That's what I was thinking," Richter replied. "He was probably getting warmed up, but we gotta stay around here, just to be sure he comes back…" Everyone looked at each other, confused by all this, but still managing to stick around in case anyone intrudes the Legacy, even Dracula.


Cloud Strife and Link were walking through the empty halls, alongside Isabelle who was keeping watch over Dark Samus, who was still struggling with the tight fishing line wrapped around her exoskeleton arms, screaming for mercy.

"Is there any way to stop her from screeching so loudly?" Cloud asked, annoyed by the Phazon Warrior's cries.

"Maybe this was a big mistake in tying Dark Samus up," Link replied. "Do you think you can free her, Isabelle?" The mayor's assistant looked at the Phazon Warrior, terrified by its glowing blue "mask". Just then, the other three fighters had to stop walking when Cloud Strife stopped them in their tracks.

"Do you hear that?" Cloud asked.

"Hear what?" Link replied in question before a finger from Cloud was placed on his lips. To the 1st-class SOLDIER, it sounded like he can hear a child wailing and voices clamoring on who should shut the kid up. Luckily enough, these voices were just around the corner in front of them. With enough coincidence, the four warriors saw what appeared to be Sonic with Meta Knight, Mega Man, Inkling, Lucina, PAC-MAN, Daisy, Pit, and Simon trying to cheer up a crying Bowser Jr.

"Is there any way to calm this kid down?" Sonic snarled while the Koopa Prince still cried.

"Not that I know," Meta Knight replied.

"I still feel like I'm gonna smack that kid at any moment if he doesn't stop," Pit moaned, clenching his fists while keeping his anger to himself.

"Now, we just gotta calm ourselves down," Simon said, placing his Vampire Killer on his waist. "We can find a way out of here or be trapped forever having to take care of an overly-expressive prince who won't become an heir to the throne, especially with that attitude…" Just then, Simon noticed Cloud, Link, Isabelle, and Dark Samus in front of them. Once Sonic, Meta Knight, and Pit noticed Link, they felt so glad and relieved… well, mainly Sonic. The blue blur then ran at a lightning speed towards the Champion of Hyrule, hugging him tightly.

"Oh my gosh, Link," Sonic cried, not even aware that Bowser Jr. was starting to calm down. "We missed you so much…"

"It's nothing, really," Link replied, breaking the hug and staring down at the teenage hedgehog. "We were, with enough lucky coincidence, searching for you guys too…"

"Nice to see you again, Link," Meta Knight replied.

"Glad you're back, Link," Pit said, "and you haven't changed a bit last time we met… Well, you kinda changed a lot, actually with the tunic, hairstyle, the fact that you're a right-handed swordfighter now, and all…"

"Anyway, it's good you're back, Link," Sonic said. Suddenly, the blue hedgehog noticed the other three companions Link was traveling with.

"So, this your buddy, Cloud Strife?" Sonic asked, crawling on top of his head and feeling his light-blond cowlicks. Everyone looked at the new warriors, curious about each other.

"Yes, that's my name," Cloud answered as Sonic jumped down. "So, you must be the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog."

"The one and only," Sonic answered. The blue hedgehog then noticed Isabelle in front of him, the apomorphic dog tugging her shirt collar.

"This must be the lovely Isabelle, milady," Sonic teased as he gently kissed her paw in his gloved hand, making the mayor's assistant blush. Everyone giggled when they saw Isabelle covering her face in her paws. Finally, Sonic walked up to Dark Samus, noticing her exoskeleton arms were tied behind her back with a fishing line.

"And this is the infamous Dark Samus, cloned from Phazon energy mixed with Samus's DNA," Sonic replied, looking at the strange alien. "Go figure." Zipping behind Dark Samus, Sonic the Hedgehog managed to snap off the fishing line from her weakened arms. The Phazon Warrior then felt her arms free again, stretching the insect-like fingers on her left hand.

"You idiot!" Cloud yelled. "What did you do!?"

"She was getting tired," Sonic replied. "I just kinda noticed she only feels some sort of connection with us. Plus, her nervous systems could cut off easily if kept on for too long." Dark Samus then rubbed her neck as the fishing line slipped off her body. The reunited warriors saw that the Phazon Warrior was starting to look around, suddenly running off to another connected hallway not one of the fighters checked.

"Where's she going now?" Daisy asked.

"I think she found something," Lucina answered. "Come on!" The fighters then ran off, following Dark Samus. Meanwhile, Cloud Strife and Link looked at Sonic.

"You let go of the bulldog on the leash, and now she's gonna lead us into a trap," Cloud growled.

"I know a lot more about her than you do," Sonic objected. "Now come on. We're gonna lose everyone else anyway." Shortly after, the strange trio ran towards Dark Samus, and the group was back together again after a short period of being apart. From what they saw, Dark Samus had uncovered a locked door, barricaded tight with the toughest of aluminum metal and warning signs telling intruders to keep out. On top of the door frame was a security computer monitor watching their every move. Sonic was the first one to notice.

"Hey, computer!" Sonic said. "What's this room?"

"Behind this doorway is the Yggdrasil's main power room," the Subspace computer replied. "Only members of the Subspace Army can pass through here, but even disguises would not work for intruders."

"Dammit," Simon said. "That was gonna be my idea… time for plan B anyway…" Everyone then thought of breaking down the door to get inside, but the steel door was just too thick. No matter what the fighters threw at the locks, they would not even budge. Eventually, everyone got tired quickly.

"What are we gonna do?" Isabelle sighed. "We're gonna need some sort of firepower to break this door down…" Suddenly, the temperature felt rather warmer than usual. It was then getting hotter, like a burst of energy, and PAC-MAN knew what was up. With a small feat of strength, the pellet-muncher grabbed the fighters in the group and pulled them out of the way, only for everyone to recognize a beam of hot fire blasting into the door. Once everyone looked up, they saw the origin of the blast coming from what appeared to be another Pokemon, though this one was muscular in build and resembled that of a tiger, though it mainly had red-and-black fur covering its body, and its waist belt was engulfed in flames. Once the fighters got up, they noticed the Pokemon trying to burn the door down.

"You gotta be an Incineroar, right?" Sonic asked, obviously the only one who recognized the characters he heard tales about. The Pokemon looked at the blue hedgehog, confused by all this, growling softly.

"Well, we're trying to get in too, so hopefully you could help us," Sonic continued. Incineroar noticed the fighters next to Sonic, and the Pokemon stopped using his flaming beam. Instead, he walked towards the steel door, noticing the aluminum metal was hot and at least soft enough for a sharp weapon to slice through. Drawing his claws out, Incineroar then growled, signifying that the fighters should stand back. With a mighty slice, the Pokemon slashed through the door, opening a pathway through.

Quietly walking through, the small group of warriors saw three familiar figures standing in a dark room, where molding lights flickered above them. It was the Ultimates Reborn, and they were waiting in front of the Yggdrasil's central core this whole time.

"You're probably not the right targets we were looking for, but you'll have to do," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn spoke.

"It's people like you that make this world a terrible place," the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn continued, each one of the fighters looking at the three leaders in determination.

"People like you were the ones that murdered our parents, and their followers watched as they were drenched in cold blood," the Gunner Ultimate Reborn stated.

"We are here to avenge them and finish what they have started," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn finished. "And now, regardless of whoever you are, you are all going to die." Each one of the three Ultimates Reborn turned around, pulling out their weapons, and the small team recognized they would be having another fight again.

Rushing towards Incineroar, the Brawler Ultimate Reborn ran alongside the other two Mii Fighters, unleashing a flurry of fists. The Pokemon managed to block most of the attacks, but the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn slashed behind Incineroar. Trying to look for a deadly blow, the Mii Fighter was suddenly blocked by Cloud, clashing swords with the Subspace Army leader alongside Link. While the two blond-haired swordfighters had their hands full with fighting the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn, the Mii Gunner fired plasma shots at Simon and Dark Samus, with the Belmont lashing his chain-like whip and the Phazon Warrior gliding through the air and unleashing a fury of missiles.

Incineroar then grabbed the Brawler Ultimate Reborn into a headlock, allowing Bowser Jr. to ride in his Koopa Clown Car and ram it into the Mii Brawler's body. Meanwhile, Cloud and Link were teamed up and clashing swords against the Mii Swordfighter, the Ultimate Reborn's blue mask glowing with envy. Out of nowhere, Sonic managed to kick the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn from behind, running towards Simon and Dark Samus.

Mega Man and the Inkling grabbed the Brawler Ultimate Reborn, pummeling him to the ground and leaving him dazed as Lucina went in for a deadly blow with her Falchion. The Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn then jumped out of the way, unleashing a powerful tornado with his sword. Just then, Daisy and PAC-MAN started throwing fruits and vegetables at the Mii Fighter, stopping him from using the attack.

The Gunner Ultimate Reborn cornered Isabelle, getting ready to fire a powerful blast. However, Pit managed to fly towards the mayor's assistant in time, snatching Isabelle out of harm's way. While Isabelle was hugging the angel and throwing an infinite number of fragile vases, Pit began firing his arrows from Palutena's Bow, but the Mii Gunner used a special kind of equipment to reflect the arrows, throwing Pit out of course as he and Isabelle tumbled towards the ground. Once the Gunner Ultimate Reborn walked towards the two grounded fighters, Sonic the Hedgehog ran in and delivered a powerful kick to her face.

After all the chaos that took place in the main control room, the Ultimates Reborn noticed they were surrounded by Cloud, Link, Sonic, Pit, Mega Man, Simon, Dark Samus, Isabelle, Inkling, Lucina, Daisy, PAC-MAN, Bowser Jr., and Incineroar, all of them ready to take down the leaders of the Subspace Army. With a mighty powerful blast from his flaming fists, Incineroar rushed in for a finishing blow, knocking the Ultimates Reborn out and launching them. The three warriors then flew in separate directions, their burning cloaks flying off and their now-broken masks shattering and becoming nothing more than debris on the floor.

The reunited group of fighters then walked towards the Ultimate Reborn Revealed, now simply known as the Mii Fighters. The three young warriors looked up, revealing their hidden faces. The Mii Brawler showed his lightly-tanned skin and black hair, the Mii Swordfighter his blond hair and light skin, and the Mii Gunner with her dark-yellow hair. Sitting down in defeat, the Mii Fighters looked at the group, shaking their heads.

"Go ahead and kill us, just like your friends killed our parents," the Mii Brawler spoke.

"We haven't seen your parents die ourselves," Cloud Strife answered, placing the hilt of his Buster Sword on the Mii Gunner's neck. "However, we can't say we don't feel your pain…"

"What do you know about pain?" the Mii Swordfighter snarled. "You don't even have your memories… none of you…"

"What are you talking about?" Sonic asked. "I have my memories thanks to the fact that I didn't even transform and that Smash Ball inside me…"

"…There is something that we haven't told you yet," the Mii Gunner answered, the three Mii Fighters getting up. However, before any of the three Mii Fighters could speak, the main core of the Yggdrasil suddenly shifted, opening a hole through the floor. Emerging out was the entire Mii Fighter army, and behind them was none other than the one-winged angel Sephiroth. In his left hand was some sort of controlling device, and on each of the Mii Fighters and the Fighting Mii Team (excluding the Subspace army leaders) was a small, red-glowing orb of light attached to their foreheads.

"Sephiroth!" the Mii Brawler yelled. "You traitor! How could you do this!?"

"It was all part of the deal with Tabuu," Sephiroth chuckled, the brainwashed Mii Fighters glaring at their leaders.

"I knew I should have killed you when I had the chance!" Cloud Strife snarled.

"I have watched the actions and courses the sons and daughter of the Ultimates took," Sephiroth answered. "Thanks to the change of plans, we would be taking the Mii Fighters under our own rule… and we relieve the Ultimates Reborn of their duties." Sephiroth then charged a triple-shot blast, firing away at the children of the Ultimates. Once the three Mii Fighters quickly got up after the collision, they noticed they were perfectly fine, but something was different about them, and the group of fighters noticed it too.

"You are no longer the leaders of the Subspace Army, and you are not even worthy to deem the title of 'Ultimates'," Sephiroth said, holding up the controlling device. "You are nothing merely more than part of the World of Trophies, which has been foretold in the beginning. Now, with your people on my side, you and your newfound friends must die…" With the device gleaming, the only Mii Fighters not under control saw as their people unsheathe their weapons, drawing closer to the fighters. As each of the warriors slowly walk closer to the door, Link noticed the mind-controller in Sephiroth's left hand.

"I'm going after that control device," Link said, pulling out the Master Sword with his right hand and the Hylian Shield with his left. "Cover me while I go in." When everyone saw Link rushing in towards his main target, the small group of fighters followed him in as the brainwashed Mii Fighters began attacking.

One by one, each member of the brainwashed Mii Fighters began attacking the warriors, and the fighters were counterattacking as Sephiroth watched in confusion. Link began lashing with his sword and blocking with his shield, Cloud Strife swinging his powerful weapon, Sonic using his homing attack on the enemies, Incineroar slashing with red-hot claws, Dark Samus firing her webbed missiles, Inkling using her Splat Roller, Bowser Jr. unleashing a series of explosive wind-up toys, Lucina counter-attacking, PAC-MAN spamming his projectiles, Daisy using her signature hip thrust, Mega Man throwing blades, Pit flying as much as he could while firing arrows, and Simon throwing bottles of holy water. Even the Ultimates Reborn, now known as just plain Mii Fighters, were forced to fight against their people with their choices of weapons. Eventually, as Sephiroth watched the fighters struggle out of the brainwashed Mii Fighter group, Link eventually ran in faster than Sephiroth could react, slicing his left arm off with his Master Sword. The controlling device was delicate and shattered on impact, resulting in all of the glowing red orbs on the Mii Fighters' heads slipping off, removing the army's brainwashed state.

The warriors looked at the saved Mii Fighters, resulting in the army's leaders sighing in relief. Link and the others watched as Sephiroth held onto the area where his arm was cut off, revealing not blood but Phantom Ruby particles…

"What?" the Gunner Ultimate's daughter stammered, with Sonic clenching his fist. The army and the small group of fighters watched as Sephiroth started creating a red-static aura around him, parts of his body fading away and revealing a familiar enemy – Infinite.

"Surprised to see me?" Infinite asked, floating a little higher into the air.

"Infinite!?" the Mii Swordfighter growled. "If it was you that did all this, where's the real Sephiroth!?"

"All I need to tell you is that Sephiroth himself is getting ready to leave with the monsters and all," Infinite answered. "Now it would be a good time to take down this tower… with all of you in it!" The anamorphic masked jackal then charged a powerful beam, with the fighters and the Mii army looking at each other in worry. Just then, the three Ultimates Reborn lunged themselves towards Infinite, pinning the jackal down as he fired his shot at the ceiling, causing the room to crumble a bit.

"We got this bastard!" the Mii Brawler yelled. "Get all of the Mii Fighters out of here onto the Legacy! Go!" With Incineroar creating a wider gap with his red-hot paws at the area of the melted door, there was plenty of time for everyone to get out with the Mii Fighter army. Once the room was completely empty, Infinite pushed the Ultimates Reborn aside, slowly levitating higher as he watched the ex-leaders of the Subspace Army go up against him.

"You don't want me to have fun with your people, do you?" Infinite chuckled. "First I will teach you pain, then fear, and then… well, at least the pain and fear will end…"

Splitting himself into three individual persons, Infinite willfully grabbed each one of the Ultimates Reborn and flung them up into the air, making them hit the ceiling. Once the three Infinite clones merged back together into one, the masked jackal created a flat, platform-less stage out of blood-red rubies as the three Mii Fighters fell down, dizzy after being tossed so high. Infinite, floating in the air, then split the stage into three parts with the Ultimates Reborn on each one, charging up his powers and fully ready to start the fight.

The Mii Gunner jumped on top of the Mii Brawler, the both of them avoiding the powerful projectiles flying towards them as they tried to keep a teleporting Infinite their main target. Infinite then conjured up a virtual speaker, creating the booming sound often heard in dubstep music. The floor down below took on weird shapes of their own, creating spikes bouncing up and down in rhythm and some of them penetrating the three platforms. All three of the Mii Fighters managed to bounce off them in time. Once the dubstep was over and Infinite disintegrated the speaker, the three Ultimates Reborn landed back on the platforms, only to quickly hold on as the three pieces of land clamped back together into one platform-less stage again. Infinite then unleashed a flurry on fists in the middle of the stage. Two of the Mii Fighters managed to dodge, but the Mii Swordfighter got caught.

Trying his best to stay alive, the Mii Swordfighter set his blade ablaze and dodged the punches from Infinite while the other two attacked with kicks and plasma blasts, even though the masked jackal did not flinch. Once Infinite was about to finish with a powerful jab, the Mii Swordfighter managed to quickly catch the attack, countering and reflecting the damage on the masked jackal. The three Mii Fighters then continued attacking Infinite while he began charging up a powerful move. After a short period of time, Infinite managed to stay alive as he created a barrier that was gradually shrinking fast. The three Mii Fighters could not avoid and found themselves trapped in Infinite's virtual world, where Infinite himself was a red cloud that they could not attack and Primids as they had appeared ten years ago spawned. The three warriors attacked a specific set of Primids, each one defeating as many as they could.

Eventually, Infinite's powers only stayed around for a limited amount of time as they gradually waned. The platform-less stage then split into three equal parts again, with the three Mii Fighters constantly trying to predict where Infinite was randomly teleporting and attacking from there all while avoiding the Phantom Ruby meteorites raining down from up above. For a finishing blow, the Mii Brawler threw a storm of bowling balls, followed by the Mii Swordfighter unleashing a powerful tornado from his blade and the Mii Gunner firing a fully-charged plasma shot as some sort of triple finish, hitting Infinite directly and defeating him.

Once Infinite was knocked out a second time, the Phantom Ruby fused to his chest began showing more cracks, nearly on the verge of breaking on impact. Afterwards, Infinite fell to the floor, struggling to get up while the platforms he created faded underneath the Ultimates Reborn. Once the Mii Fighters managed to touch down on the ground perfectly, they looked at Infinite slowly pulling himself up.

"You have made a very grave mistake," Infinite growled. "Too bad you were smarter than your parents when they signed up for this…" The three Mii Fighters then looked at Infinite, their faces showing signs of confusion and anger.

"You knew that our parents did not die… because of the trophies?" the Mii Gunner asked, tears in her eyes. The masked jackal slowly levitated off the ground, chuckling to himself.

"They did not know any better," Infinite answered. "I suppose you could say they did this to themselves…" Drawing his powers from the cracked Phantom Ruby on his chest, Infinite managed to form a virtual Dark Cannon, even though it looked like the real thing. The masked jackal then placed the weapon on the ground, aiming it at the Ultimates Reborn Revealed.

"I should have done this a long time ago," Infinite snarled, slowly charging up the Dark Cannon. The Mii Fighters then knew what was going to happen next, recalled all of the other warriors who succumbed to a hit from a Dark Cannon. Rushing forward, the Mii Brawler was the only one who managed to deliver a devastating blow to both Infinite and the Dark Cannon, his flaming punch not strong enough to break the masked jackal's gemstone but enough to send the Phantom Ruby wielder and his virtual weapon towards the main core, damaging the control system critically.

"Central core badly damaged," the Subspace computer spoke. "The Yggdrasil will self-destruct in exactly 5 minutes." Infinite's Dark Cannon vanished, and the masked jackal himself slowly crawled out of the debris, too weak to even stop the three Mii Fighters running out of the room towards the Legacy.

Chapter 21: Escape The Yggdrasil

Summary:

As the Subspace Army's only base on the world is collapsing, the Super Smash Brothers are given the chance to escape immediately.

Chapter Text

As Mario, Dr. Mario, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Young Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, Little Mac, Shulk, Palutena, Dark Pit, Lucas, Pichu, Pokemon Trainer (with Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle), Snake, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Rosalina & Luma, Greninja, Villager, Bayonetta, and Mewtwo were all clearing floor after floor waves of monsters, they felt the Yggdrasil suddenly start rumbling. Tiny bits of stone started falling from the ceiling as the minor Subspace monsters turned back into Shadow Bugs, retreating into the vents and pipes of the World Tree.

"What's-a going on here?" Mario asked, trying to steady his balance and holding onto the device that saved Mewtwo from the Shadow Synergy Stone.

"Looks like somebody already destroyed the main core before we did," Mewtwo answered with telepathic powers. "We have to get out of here, and fast."

"Somebody's coming this way!" Snake exclaimed, pointing towards the next stairway leading upwards. Running down below was an entire army of Mii Fighters, and they were all heading straight towards the Legacy. When the Mii Fighters noticed the small group of warriors, they stopped and parted a way for none other than the children of the Ultimates – the Mii Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner – as well as Cloud, Link, Sonic, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Bowser Jr., Meta Knight, Inkling, Lucina, PAC-MAN, Daisy, Pit, Mega Man, Simon, and Incineroar, all of which also attempting to escape. Looking at each other, the two groups saw that not only were there new companions as usual but there were fighters separated from them long enough.

"Sonic-a?" Mario asked, taking off his cap.

"Mario!" Sonic cried, rushing towards the red plumber. The two mascots then gave each other a tight hug, breathing sighs of relief onto each other's shoulders.

"I thought I'd never see you again," Sonic cried, pressing his forehead against Mario's.

"I missed you too, old friend," Mario answered, squeezing the hug a little tighter.

"Central core badly damaged," the Subspace computer spoke over the speakers. "The Yggdrasil will self-destruct in exactly 4 minutes and 30 seconds." Both Mario and Sonic quickly broke the hug to understand what's going on in the situation they're caught in.

"There's no time for welcome-back hugs," Sonic explained. "We have to board the Legacy and get the hell out of here."

"What about the Mii Fighters?" Mario asked.

"We're taking them all along with us," Sonic answered. "We figured they might be some good use to us against the Subspace Army, and the Mii Fighters have plenty of firepower to back us up. Let's go!" Sonic immediately dashed towards the path closest to the exit, shortly followed by the Mii Fighters and the rest of the gang shortly after a few seconds later.

"You heard the blue blur," Mega Man replied while still running to keep up with Sonic like all the others. "We gotta get out of here."

Monsters with Mii faces emerged out of special chutes from the ceiling – Giant UFOs, Faceberuses, Ancient Robots, Iron Generals, Baby Dragons, and the absolute worst kinds of monsters being Fiends and Terror Fiends.

"We gotta pass through these Miitopian monsters and get to the Legacy at any cost," the Mii Brawler yelled. "Those monster are strong and powerful, but the Fiends and Terror Fiends are the one you HAVE to avoid at any cost! The only difference is the Terror Fiends having more health and dealing more damage in their standard attack, but they are both the same in the Death's Scythe they wield, but these weapons will instantly kill you if you're not careful! Now that you know, just run to the exit!" Since Sonic got a head start, he began avoiding the incoming monsters, dodging the gravitational beam from the Giant UFOs that would steal him away, avoiding the fiery breath and flaming punches from the Baby Dragons, Iron Generals, and Faceberuses, breaking open the Ancient Robots, and running away from the deadly slashes the Fiends and Terror Fiends brought. The group of Mii Fighters, along with the three leaders, went in to take on the monsters and follow behind while Mario and the rest of the reunited gang attempt to get to the exit too.

Meanwhile, inside the Legacy's main control room, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Falco, Marth, Ganondorf, Roy, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Wario, Ike, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Ken, Corrin, Richter, and King K. Rool were patiently waiting for any intruders. Just then, R.O.B. noticed the Mii Fighter army run outside of the Yggdrasil, getting ready to board the Legacy. The ex-Ancient Minister started beeping, alerting the others. In the army, the group inside the Legacy saw that the rest of their friends are outside, wanting to board.

"It's Mario and the gang!" Lucario yelled, noticing the World Tree is slowly falling apart. "Let them in fast!"

"Are you crazy!?" Luigi cried as the rest of the warriors tried scumbling for the button or switch to open an entrance. "The Mii Fighters tried killing us!"

"Does it look like they wanna attack us now!?" Ken interrupted. "What matters is they want to get out, regardless of who they are! Now open the hatch!" The blond-haired martial artist eventually managed to find a button that opened a large bridge, letting everyone run up. Out of all of the fighters within the Mii Fighter group outside of the ex-Ultimates Reborn (namely Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner), only Mario, Samus, Dark Samus, Daisy, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Lucina, Young Link, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Pokemon Trainer and his three Pokemon, Lucas, Toon Link, Villager, Mega Man, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, Palutena, Bowser Jr., Bayonetta, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Isabelle, and Incineroar managed to make it out in time. The other four still had to show their faces.

Inside the now-crumbling World Tree, Sonic was helping get Cloud, Link, and Snake to safety when the Yggdrasil started rumbling again.

"Central core badly damaged," the Subspace computer spoke. "The Yggdrasil will self-destruct in exactly 3 minutes."

"We have to hurry," Cloud Strife said. "Let's go!" The four fighters were running towards the exit when a huge part of the tower fell right in front of them, blocking the exit entirely.

"We're going to have to find another way out," Link replied, pulling out his Sheikah Slate so he could analyze the tower. A couple seconds later passed when the Champion of Hyrule found that the only way out was to go up and take the emergency path.

"Follow me!" Link continued, running off sword and shield in his hands and the Sheikah Slate on his side. "I know where to go!" The other three fighters then followed Link, traveling up flights of stairs to get to the top.

The only way to get to the exit was through the exit window, but the only thing the four fighters forgot to worry about was a giant piston that pushed them through a power room on their right. Sonic, Cloud, Link, and Snake saw that standing in front of a swarm of blue lightning was none other than Sephiroth in person.

"Glad to see me?" Sephiroth chuckled, pulling out his katana blade. "Now I finally have the chance to kill off the sources of the Smash Ball and conquer all of Arcadia with the Subspace Army."

"When you and your friends tried to enslave the Mii Fighters for your own selfish wishes?" Sonic objected. "Forcing that army to keep us trapped here, even if it meant their extinction like the Ancients?"

"They mean nothing to us," Sephiroth answered, walking closer. "Now, it's time for you to die…"

"Bring it on, bitch," Snake snarled, pulling out an activated grenade and throwing it at the one-winged angel. Sephiroth managed to teleport in time, but Link ran behind and slashed Sephiroth from behind, making the one-winged angel jerk his head. Sonic then ran in with a wave of punches, rapidly jabbing at Sephiroth's chest. The one-winged angel then grabbed the blue hedgehog, throwing him aside and blocking both Link and Cloud's sword attacks. As the Champion of Hyrule and the 1st-class SOLDIER were locked with Sephiroth in a dance battle between their blades, Snake then came from up above on a drone, jumping on top of the one-winged angel and placing him in a headlock. Attempting to break his neck, Snake at least tried his attempts to strangle Sephiroth.

Sephiroth teleported out of the way, levitating in the air as the only thing Snake was now holding was a small pile of raven-black feathers. Sonic and Cloud Strife jumped onto Sephiroth's back, with the blue hedgehog using his spin attacks and drilling into the one-winged angel's chest and Cloud slashing with his Buster Sword. Link then pulled out his bow and arrow, attempting to get a clear shot at Sephiroth. However, since the one-winged angel was struggling with Cloud and Sonic, it was hard to get a clear shot. Eventually, Link fired away, and the arrow hit the tip of Sephiroth' only wing. Using black magic to cast the two fighters aside, the one-winged angel began charging up a fireball to launch at the Champion of Hyrule.

Snake then came from behind Sephiroth as the one-winged angle slowly drifted towards the ground, the mercenary grabbing the son of Jenova and kicking him in the back. Link also ran in to protect his friend, but Sephiroth grabbed the Hylian by the neck with his left hand and threw him towards Sonic and Cloud, who were attempting to get up after being thrown. Sephiroth then slashed again, tossing Snake off his back, and once the mercenary quickly got up ready to fire a missile, the one-winged angel pulled out his long katana blade and thrusted it into Snake.

The other three warriors were shocked by what they have encountered. Snake was stabbed by Sephiroth and inserted so far the blade stuck out of his body like a little stub, but the area at the impaled body was moreover closer to the shoulder. Giving off a small chuckle, Sephiroth then pulled out his blade, watching as a quivering Snake stumbled to the ground, losing a brief amount of blood.

"And so, Michael the Archangel has defeated the serpent," Sephiroth sighed, wiping the blood off his mouth. Sonic, Link, and Cloud then quickly ran towards Snake, seeing the terrible wound the one-winged angel had dealt.

"No, no, no," Sonic cried as the other two swordsmen tried to keep Snake sitting up. "This isn't possible. Trophies can't die. I thought that they can revert back to their trophy selves whenever they're defeated…"

"Stay with us, buddy," Cloud groaned, keeping Snake's head up.

"He's completely fine," Link answered, using the Sheikah Slate for any vital signs. "The impaling didn't damage any of Snake's internal organs, but he's losing blood fast. We have to get out of here…"

"It's gonna be okay," Sonic told Snake, tears building up in his eyes as Snake quickly and quietly panted. The blue hedgehog then turned his head towards Sephiroth, who was walking closer towards them. Sonic noticed he was wiping the red blood off his blade, ready to finish the rest of them off. The teenage hedgehog then stood up, knowing that the only person Sephiroth ever wants more other than Cloud Strife is Sonic.

"Leave through the escape window," Sonic told Cloud and Link, who were still trying to keep Snake alive. "I'll deal with this son of a bitch. Sephiroth is mine."

"Are you crazy, kid!?" Cloud asked. "He's a murderous psychopath back at my home world. He would kill you without any second thoughts!" Sonic then placed his gloved hand on Cloud's shoulder, knowing the risk he was about to take.

"Just leave," Sonic said, looking at Sephiroth walking closer to them. The one-winged angel then pulled a latch, shutting the room's door. The blue hedgehog pushed Snake, Cloud, and Link out of the way, leaving them outside.

"Sonic?" Cloud asked.

"Get to the Legacy," Sonic answered as the door was closing. "I'll make it there in the blink of an eye." Afterwards, the electricity room's door sealed itself, leaving the blue hedgehog trapped inside. Link, confused by all this, placed the Sheikah Slate on his waist belt and running towards the door.

"Sonic!" Link yelled. "You have to get out of here now! Sonic! Sonic!" Cloud Strife then grabbed the Hylian, turning him around so that the two were making eye contact.

"That cocky teenager can take care of himself," Cloud said. "It's Snake we have to worry about. So let's just leave and we can come back for Sonic later once the Yggdrasil is destroyed." Link then started crying, placing his face on Cloud's shoulder. He knew his lifelong friend was going to die from a psychotic angel, but another one was going to slowly bleed to death if he wasn't put on that ship immediately.

"Central core badly damaged," the Subspace computer spoke. "The Yggdrasil will self-destruct in T-minus two minutes." Cloud Strife then placed an unconscious Snake on his shoulder, pulling out his Buster Sword. Cloud then used his signature Cross Slash move on the window, shattering the glass. Cloud then jumped with Snake's body out of the window, followed by Link who dived down with him.

Meanwhile, Sonic the Hedgehog watched as Sephiroth slowly walked towards him, giving off a blood-stained grin.

"You had just made a big mistake, dear child," Sephiroth said, rubbing his blade.

"Oh, so you want me just because I'm the Smash Ball trigger?" Sonic teased. "Well, look around you. You were so focused in your plans for world domination that you forgot the fact that more of my friends' Smash Balls are waking up."

"You know simply being a Smash Ball trigger leads into a trap, and that was what Hella told me a long time ago," Sephiroth answered, unsheathing his katana sword. "If you give up the Smash Ball now, then Tabuu's grave danger will not have a risk of arriving, and I don't even know who or what said danger is..."

"So you can take parts of this world again?" Sonic objected. "So you can alter more rules that don't need to be changed? I thought in Arcadia, we could do whatever we wanted."

"Within the Master Core's reason, kid!" Sephiroth answered, unfurling his only wing. "Tabuu is merely altering the rules under HIS domain. And you know there are more than one of the Hand of Creation."

"…Whatever do you mean?" Sonic asked, filled with question, confusion, and wonder.

"Why," Sephiroth finished, "this is something one of your friends is going to have to experience for themselves, but it's not going to be you. Let's just say that… the origin of Hella is a lot more complicated than you think…"

"ENOUGH WITH THOSE LIES!" Sonic snarled, gritting his pointed teeth. Curling up into a ball, Sonic then used a homing attack on Sephiroth, with the one-winged angel jumping out of the way in time. Sephiroth slashed at the electricity generator, creating a massive explosion that blasted the two warriors into the air. While Sonic noticed they were flying to the top, he began spin-dashing at the one-winged angel. Sephiroth stopped the blue blur with the hilt of his blade, generating sparks as Sonic kept going so fast that he literally caught on fire. Afterwards, after Sonic automatically put himself out, Sephiroth then flew fast at him, clashing his sword with Sonic's jabs and kicks. The two then hit a ceiling, and Sephiroth grabbed Sonic, dragging the hedgehog on the top floor. Sonic then held on, and the smaller one of the two rolled with Sephiroth's neck in his hands and threw the one-winged angel behind himself.

Sephiroth then flew almost as fast as Sonic, the one-winged angel attempting to catch up with the blue blur. The hedgehog began avoiding the flaming projectiles from Sephiroth's Materia move while also dodging the collapsing debris from the World Tree. Sephiroth was also teleporting, so it increased the risks of not dying. Eventually, Sephiroth grabbed Sonic by the neck from behind, smashing through the outside walls and flying all the way to the top of the Yggdrasil. Beyond the black-red cloud covering all of Arcadia, the stars glimmered with a beautiful blanket of the cosmos, and the full moon was the largest it had ever been, glowing a bluish-white and shining in all it glory, almost as bright as the sun. However, the finally-clear view of the night sky was not that important as Sonic the Hedgehog had his hands full fighting Sephiroth. With the blue blur attacking with his deadly spins and kicks and the one-winged angel slashing with his katana blade and reflexes almost as fast as Sonic, the results of the match might be turned into a draw.

Sonic jumped onto Sephiroth, unleashing another flurry of punches. Now matter where Sephiroth lashed with his sword, he could not get the blue hedgehog off his back. After all that punching, Sonic climbed onto Sephiroth's single wing, biting it down hard with his small but sharp incisors, and they were tough enough to crunch the Jenova spawn's wing bone and cause its feathery skin to bleed. Sephiroth felt the pain spike up through his wing, and he flapped it to shake Sonic off as the blue hedgehog quickly got on his feet again.

"You little blue rat!" Sephiroth groaned. "You'll pay for that!"

"Then try and stop me!" Sonic teased, dashing towards Sephiroth. The fight went on for several minutes, but to the both of them it felt like hours. With Sephiroth clashing his katana blade with Sonic's tough-as-iron quills in his spin-dashes, it was hard to see who would win the fight. Meanwhile, inside the Legacy, all of the Mii Fighters and the rest of the gang (excluding Cloud, Link, and Snake) met up with each other.

"We have to leave now," the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn spoke. "The Yggdrasil is going to self-destruct at any moment and it's going to bury us all in it if we don't move." The Mii Fighter army ran towards the Legacy's control room, pressing buttons and preparing to take off. Just then, Marth noticed Link and Cloud running with Snake's unconscious body outside towards them.

"Open the hatch!" Cloud yelled, holding Snake's wound.

"Let us in!" Link answered, and the Legacy opened up as the ship lifted off just a few inches off the ground. Both the 1st-class SOLDIER and the Champion of Hyrule jumped in with Snake as the Legacy levitated a bit higher off the ground. Once the hatch closed, Cloud and Link gently laid Snake on the floor, trying to stop any more blood from spilling. Mario and Zero Suit Samus were the only two fighters that saw what was going on as everyone else ran off to the other rooms of the Legacy.

"Sweet spaghetti on a stick!" Mario gasped. "What happened to Snake?"

"He's alive, but barely," Link replied. "The Mii Fighters are going to have to fix him up right now." Running towards the unconscious Snake, two Mii Gunners started carrying Snake away as the four warriors looked at the mercenary, hoping he would be okay. Just then, Mario remembered someone.

"Cloud?" Mario asked. "Where's Sonic?" However, Cloud looked away in guilt, ashamed to tell Mario what happened. Walking towards a lever, Cloud Strife pulled up the hatch's bridge as the Legacy started lifting off.

"Where's Sonic, Cloud Strife!?" Mario yelled, starting to cry. Cloud would still not say anything as he simply walked off, not even saying a word…


On top of the Yggdrasil, Sonic and Sephiroth were covered in blood and dust. The fight went on for a long time, and the two warriors saw they were equally matched. Panting and wiping their foreheads, both the one-winged angel and the blue hedgehog clenched their fists, glaring at each other.

"You just don't know when to give up, do you?" Sephiroth growled.

"Maybe I'm a bit more stubborn than you," Sonic answered, wiping the rim of his mouth from the blood drooling from his lips. "You're the one that doesn't know when to stop." Sephiroth then teleported right in front of Sonic, still having enough strength to grab the weakened hedgehog and throw him high into the air. The blue hedgehog could not react in time as Sephiroth used what little energy he had left to stab his katana blade through Sonic. With a soft gasp, Sonic saw the levitating one-winged angel in front of him, and going right through his body and brushing against his back quills was Sephiroth's blade.

"At least I'm not as stubborn as you are, hedgehog," Sephiroth chuckled, pulling his blade outside Sonic. He watched as the blue hedgehog began quivering, his emerald eyes contracted as the wound going through the center of his chest slowly started leaking blood. He was also in midair at the time, so he began falling to the top of the World Tree's roof before the one-winged angel grabbed him again, tossing him into the moonlight. With several thrusts into the hedgehog's blue body, Sephiroth impaled the poor anamorphic teenager many times, throwing Sonic to the roof once he was finished. After Sonic weakly got up again, trying to keep himself steady, Sephiroth thrusted his blade one last time into the blue hedgehog's body. Gently lifting Sonic off the ground with his katana, Sephiroth looked at the suffering rodent, watching his shaking eyes and his bleeding, foaming mouth. A small wave of Shadow Bugs began leaking out through the roof, surrounding both of the warriors.

"Now that your body will become one of the Warriors of the Dark, your precious little Smash Ball will be taken into our custody," Sephiroth said, pulling out his katana blade. Sonic's limp body dropped onto the roof, his wounds losing more blood by each passing second. The dying hedgehog then collapsed, hearing the Shadow Bugs creep closer towards him. He could only make out Sephiroth walking away slowly and the Legacy in the background fly off without him.


"Central core badly damaged," the Subspace computer spoke, faint enough underneath the roof for Sonic to hear. "The Yggdrasil will self-destruct in T-minus one minute and counting… 60… 59… 58…" Flashes of the godlike beings of this world danced in Sonic's mind as the Shadow Bugs were beginning to envelop him. The blue hedgehog began to see images of the world within Subspace – the Master Hand ripping itself apart to reveal the Swarms within surrounding the Master Core and transforming into many different shapes, the brief image of Hella suddenly cutting into Tabuu with words that appeared in a flash second merely saying "Gallia reborn. Hella is a lie." However, Sonic refused to believe it, simply passing it off as a superstition. Then, he saw Indie, his body fading more and more into black mist, with another brief flash of Indie transforming into… a bright orb of light surrounded by multicolored rays in patterns even Sonic could not make out. Eventually, Sonic found himself in the sci-fi setting shown when he first started getting these visions. The blue hedgehog noticed he had the golden irises and the rainbow aura around him, but the Smash Ball located within his chest is fading into a charcoal black. Emerging from the stars was the black entity known as the Master Core, but he did not dare strike the blue hedgehog.

"It's almost time to go, Sonic the Hedgehog," the Master Core boomed gently. "Your time is almost up, and this world is constantly changing." Sonic then noticed the Smash Ball attached to his chest was fading darker, and the rainbow aura surrounding him vanished, revealing a semi-transparent body glowing a faint cyan. A dim star appeared right in front of Sonic, opening a window to the world where Sonic was defeated in. He saw the Shadow Bugs slowly cover up his body, starting with his feet and going up to the head.

"Master Core," the dying Sonic whispered back in Arcadia, "please don't let me die…" After all the blood inside Sonic was lost, the blue hedgehog went limp and cold, his emerald eyes dimming, and his last breath flowing out of his lips as the Shadow Bugs were just at his hips.

Sonic the Hedgehog was dead.

Inside the black emptiness of the sci-fi replica, the blue hedgehog's spirit noticed his Smash Ball was growing darker, and the rainbow aura around him was vanishing faster. Filled with tears in his golden eyes, Sonic noticed his time was up.

"You only have a few seconds remaining before you become a Spirit," the Master Core spoke. "If you have something for me to grant you, now would be the good time."

"I want to go back!" Sonic cried, his tears dripping from his face and glowing to become the stars. The Master Core was pondering about this choice.

"I'm afraid that's not possible," the Master Core objected. "You see, this is the true area in all of Arcadia, where your wishes can come true. However, I cannot make it so that you can't return to your homeworld or bring someone you love back from the dead, including yourself."

"PLEASE!" Sonic cried. "My friends are worried about me! I don't want to lose my ten-year streak of keeping my memories! I don't want my body to be plunged into darkness! If I leave now and my friends find me in time, it won't matter if they save me or not. My memories will be gone once my soul reunites with my body! It'll be over for me! I want a second chance! Sephiroth was talking about some great evil that not even Tabuu alone could overcome. I want to help my friends to prevent all this… not like you would understand anyway…" The Master Core loomed over the fading hedgehog, wondering about this choice.

"Is it a second chance you want?" the Master Core asked. Sonic nodded, wiping his eyelids.

"I will grant you that wish, if that is what you truly want," the Master Core continued. "However, you must watch the origin of Hella, or mainly, Tabuu himself, whether it is true or false. Until you are finished, your body will be replaced by your Smash Ball's powers."

"That's what I want," Sonic sighed, slowly getting up. The Swarms then swirled around brightly, causing the Master Core to flash brightly. The blue hedgehog then felt the Smash Ball on his chest vanish from his body, entering back into the world of Arcadia. Only Sonic's soul remained in the illusionary world…

It was only a few seconds later, and Sephiroth was still walking away from Sonic's corpse off the roof. The Shadow Bugs covering Sonic's body were almost up to his neck, engulfing almost all of Sonic's body. Just then, the blue hedgehog's fingers started moving, and his dimmed eyes slowly closed as he took a deep breath. The Shadow Bugs suddenly retreated of Sonic's body as they felt his heart beating again. Sonic then slowly got up, one knee in front of the other, the wounds on his body quickly clotting and shrugging off. Sonic then slowly opened his eyes, revealing not the emerald irises he once had but the glowing white covering his corneas, irises, and pupils, engulfing his eyes. As you just saw, Sonic's Smash Ball took over his body while his soul had to remain behind and return back with his memories to his body once he uncovered the truth or lie about Tabuu. The blue blur, his eyes glowing white, walked behind Sephiroth, only for the one-winged angel to turn around and see what's going on.

"What!?" Sephiroth gasped, seeing Sonic living and breathing again. "Impossible!" Sonic then levitated off the ground a few inches off, spawning seven mystical gemstones in cyan, violet, white, red, yellow, blue, and green known as the Chaos Emeralds swirling around the blue hedgehog. Their ancient powers were absorbed into Sonic's body, spiking up his blue quills and transforming them into a golden color. Sephiroth was shocked that Sonic had found his Final Smash. The rules of this world spell out that once a Smash Ball had generated enough power, its selected fighter get to unleash a powerful move known as the Final Smash, and Sonic's was revealed to show him in his Super form. Flying off the roof, Sonic slammed his body at lightning-fast speed into Sephiroth's chest, not even giving the one-winged angel enough time to react. Super Sonic then grabbed Sephiroth by the neck, his glowing white eyes staring with no forgiveness.

"I thought I killed you!" Sephiroth groaned, gasping for breath as Super Sonic squeezed the one-winged angel's neck tighter before throwing Jenova's son in front of him and following up with a light-speed punch.

Meanwhile, inside the alternate world, Sonic's real spirit was walking around, his body reverting back to the rainbow aura he had before. Before him, he saw the great and powerful city of Civiltatula.

Civiltatula was an ancient city designed for everyone to get along, Hella's voice rang out through Sonic. It was built for travelers from far and wide to take residence in this utopian world. The fights that took place in the Arcadium were solely for their entertainment purposes. However, once my anger reached a breaking point, I went on an anger-filled rampage, leading my monsters and enslaved Ancients and Mii Fighters across the city, murdering all who lived there and making it inhospitable for life. One by one, every single one of these citizens died off, and the Master Hand could do nothing to stop me, and it was all thanks to the dark side of the Master Core's powers that generated me with the abilities and the technology to make this all possible.

Eventually, Hella continued as Sonic watched the destruction she caused, after all life was exterminated, I finally was finished. I could rule this world the way I wanted it to. As Sonic watched, Hella used her own powers to create a flowing gown draping over her naked legs, and in her hands in place of her weapons was an abstract, gold-plated staff with a darkened Smash Ball on the top. The Mii Fighters and the Ancients were standing before her, angry by what she caused.

"You have created the destruction of our world, costing us our homes and our voices," the Ancient Brawler Ultimate spoke, with the three types of Mii Fighters wearing hooded capes over themselves and now using the thought translators attached to their clothing. "We will no longer serve you after what you have done. Your actions involve taboo, and no one should ever have that unlimited power. We quit."

The Mii Fighters then left my army, roaming the world as fugitives, Hella said in Sonic's mind. Little did they know that years later they would be called into another battle just like the Subspace Army you have encountered ten years ago. Until then, I kept the Ancients under my rule.

"You bastards can leave for all I care!" Hella yelled, slamming her fist into her throne's arm. "I'm keeping the Ancients under my rule from now on! They will help me and my troops to create the Great Maze, and there will be nothing to stop me!" Just then, the Master Hand teleported himself right in front of the young empress.

"You time is up," the Master Hand spoke while Sonic watched. "Your actions cost you your life, and you will now spend the rest of your eternity in the darkness known as Subspace, where you cannot leave…"

"You can try sending me there, Master Hand," Hella spoke. "Even if you do, my army will find a way out, and the Ancients will not say anything about their encounter with me, and not even your amnesia ability will not have an effect on them. They will serve me until their entire species has died off…"

"So this is your plan?" the Master Hand spoke. "To kill off our creations? You know very well that your actions will cause a great evil to appear…"

"What kind of evil?" Hella asked, smirking. "Are you just trying to scare me?"

"Hella, this is serious!" the Master Hand boomed, clenching himself. "He is far greater than I am, or even you for that matter. He will transform this world into the way he pictures it, even if it takes the deaths of billions and trillions. The Smash Ball is what's drawing him here. He will kill you…" Hella then transformed her staff into a powerful sword to replicate the multi-tasking weapon she used before.

"Try and stop me then," Hella spoke. "Whoever this great evil is, he will suffer the wrath of Tabuu." Hella then rushed forward and began striking the Master Hand, with the Hand of Creation himself firing magical sparks of magic that exploded on impact. The Ancients then retreated from the fight, heading back to the Isle of the Ancients to never be seen again. Sonic watched as the fight between Hella and the Master Core was shrouded in chaos as the both were being flung into crumbling buildings, orbs of magic were launched at each other, and both warriors were dirty and covered in blood.

Sonic kept watching as a time went by, and both the Master Hand and Hella were both tired. The two powerful beings could not see which one the greater kind was, and they were exhausted.

"I guess you leave me no choice," the Master Hand boomed, shifting the dim sun so that it was above him. Underneath the Hand of Creation, a psychotic laugh was heard from the Master Hand's shadow, and it emerged from the ground, creating new life. This spawn of the Master Hand was similar-looking to the Master Hand, but he was left-handed and moved in a more chaotic pattern – the Crazy Hand. Their fingers close together, both the Master Hand and the Crazy Hand ripped a hole in space, sucking both themselves and Hella in. Sonic, being the only one unaffected since this was all an illusion, jumped straight in to see what was going on. Inside the depths of Subspace, the Crazy Hand had disappeared, and only the Master Hand and Hella remained.

"Now you are trapped here with me forever," the Master Hand roared. "From now on, there is nothing you can do to escape your fate." Hella then unfurled her butterfly-like cape and unleashed her ability known as the Off-Waves. With a mighty blast, the Master Hand felt that he was bound by the Chains of Light, a mere prisoner of his own creation.

"I may be trapped in here forever," Hella hissed, "but you have the free will to coexist with Arcadia as long as the activated Subspace Bombs are used to create the Great Maze. Time to use you to summon an army of my own…"

The time I spent in Subspace had changed me, Hella's voice rang out in Sonic's head. Eventually, I transformed into the person you see today known as Tabuu. As thousands of years had passed, I manipulated the Master Hand to traveling through the universe to gather warriors of his own. Each warrior was summoned and tested by great courage and power of others, and those who have failed have transformed into Assist Trophies and summoning Pokémon, with their spirits trapped in special vessels and only called forth whenever a trophy summons them.

That's why my best friends Shadow and Knuckles disappeared for no reason from my home planet, Sonic wondered. I was forced to use the Chaos Emeralds and look for them, resulting in me stopping at other planets and listening to the stories that inspired me. And when my time came to turn into a trophy… Sonic then remembered the event that occurred after visiting every planet in the universe, and the encounter with the Master Hand. However, before the blue hedgehog was given the amnesia effect of the trophy transformation, he bolted out and ended up in Arcadia, where he roamed the world and fought monsters until he came across Tabuu, breaking the Construct God's wings and helping the rest of the gang defeat him and restore balance to Arcadia. Once everyone came back to the Midair Stadium, Sonic would tell tall tales of their feats…

Meanwhile, back in Arcadia, the Smash Ball spirit inside Sonic's body was slamming himself into Sephiroth, the one-winged angel's Materia having no effect on Super Sonic's invincible body. Electricity generating from the golden hedgehog's body, Super Sonic was chasing Sephiroth around the Yggdrasil, grabbing the one-winged angel and jabbing him in the air.

"Please!" Sephiroth cried, flying away as Super sonic chased him down through the World Tree. "Have mercy!" However, Super sonic would not forgive the terrible act that the one-winged angel had committed, and so grabbed Sephiroth by the wing and dragged him across the walls until Sephiroth's skin burned.

"…36… 35… 34… 33…" the Subspace computer rang out as more debris kept falling apart. Super Sonic then threw Sephiroth straight down, causing the one-winged angel to fall so fast through each floor that he eventually ended up in the room with all the Assist Trophy capsules and Pokéballs. When Sephiroth got up, he saw Super Sonic dive down towards him. Once Super Sonic touched down, he created an explosion large enough that it covered the entire room, and all the Assist Trophies and Pokéballs broke with their prisoners trapped inside. Once Sephiroth saw Super Sonic lower himself down to the ground in the desolated room, he felt afraid for the very first time. The one-winged angel stared deep into the golden hedgehog's glowing white eyes, almost like the cocky teenager was no longer there anymore. Sephiroth attempted to slash the golden hedgehog with his katana blade, but the long sword he once wielded simply shattered on impact. Once the one-winged angel saw that all he was holding was the handle, he trembled.

"…15… 14… 13… 12… 11…" the Subspace computer kept counting as Super Sonic floated towards Sephiroth and grabbed the one-winged angel by the neck before flying high into the air at the speed of light. Super Sonic then tossed Sephiroth into the air, zipping around and ramming himself into the one-winged angel as lightning flashed all across his body.

"…5… 4… 3… 2… 1… 0," the Subspace computer finished as the last thing Sephiroth saw before the golden lightning in the black-red clouds were the gleaming white eyes of Super Sonic as he finished the one-winged angel with a mighty electric kick, sending Sephiroth falling fast, burying the one-winged angel in debris at the ground floor. During that time, the Yggdrasil began exploding, and the massive blast had Sephiroth trapped in it, with nothing left remaining from the world tree.

Super Sonic watched as the explosion destroyed the Yggdrasil, looking into the distance and seeing the Legacy fly off into the black-red cloud covering Arcadia. The golden hedgehog then flew off towards the ship, but suddenly felt moving slower than usual. Sonic's body used too much of the Chaos Emeralds' powers, causing his quills to turn back to his normal, deep blue color. Luckily, Sonic was close to the Legacy, where the Mii Fighter team and the three ex-Ultimates Reborn noticed him in time. Once the seven Chaos Emeralds had vanished, there was only a blue hedgehog whose eyes are still glowing white as he tumbled from a deadly height down to the pitch-black ground. However, once Sonic's body felt like it was the end, the Winged Firestorm Pro Mini flew in and snatched him, piloted by Bowser Jr., the Koopa Prince.

"I got him!" Bowser Jr. cried over the speakers as he safely landed the metallic dragon with Sonic in his clutches. Once the Ultimate Mii Fighters helped open the paw that Sonic was latched onto, they saw he was unconscious, with the glowing white eyes still present and his mouth agape. That was when the ex-Ultimates Reborn knew that he needed medical attention.

"Get Sonic to the hospital room, asap!" the Mii Brawler yelled. "We gotta keep him in there until he recovers!" After the rest of the Mii Fighter army helped get the blue hedgehog medical treatment, the Legacy disappeared above the clouds, revealing a crimson sunrise over to the east outshining the stars and the moon.

Back in the sci-fi setting, Sonic's soul looked around, noticing the Master Core was in front of him again. Sonic knew it was his time to return, but first he felt like he needed to ask the Master Core something.

"Are you sure what Hella, or Tabuu, said was right?" Sonic asked. "I feel like all this is a ruse…"

"My memory and Tabuu's has merely been tampered with," the Master Core spoke, "but that was the only thing to keep you focused in the final battle with my half."

"I don't really think Tabuu is your other half," Sonic objected. "I feel like this… Ragnarokk person you speak about is completely different from the story you are telling. Plus, what is with that 'great evil' you were talking about?" The stars suddenly retreated away from the two beings, and Sonic knew something was up.

"This great evil I speak about… is not what you think it is…" the Master Core answered. "He is FAR different from me and Tabuu. An all-powerful being like that dares not even have his name mentioned as that would instantly summon him here to this world. All I need to say is… the Smash Balls are his targets to create his Lock, and he would do anything to recreate the universe in his own image. There are hundreds of thousands more like me, and we have no choice but to serve him. All I know is… it's not going to be you to save everyone this time…"

"What are you talking about?" Sonic asked. "Is this some kind of joke? Wait!" With a bright flash, Sonic then felt the Smash Ball he had before fuse to his chest again as the world vanished around him. Waking up with sweaty quills, the blue hedgehog noticed he was back in Arcadia.

As he looked around, he noticed he was in a hospital bed, wearing some sort of patient's gown with tubes inserted into his long, black nose. Sonic then gently pulled the tubes out of his nostrils, wiping the area they were inserted into afterwards. Once Sonic tossed the tubes aside he looked around, noticing there was a curtain on his right. When he pulled it back, he saw it was none other than Snake, also in a patient's gown. The blue hedgehog noticed the wound Snake had was cleaned and stitched up, and a heartbeat monitor was hooked up to his hand's pulse.

Sonic then breathed a sigh of relief. Snake was going to be okay. Sitting on the rim of the mercenary's bed, he placed his gloved hand on Snake's.

"Knew you could make it, buddy," Sonic sighed. "At least it could have been worse. You could have gone through the torture I went through fighting Sephiroth…" Sonic then watched as Snake placed another hand on Sonic's, the mercenary looking at the blue hedgehog.

"Boy, am I lucky," Snake replied. Sonic then gave off a heartwarming smile before giving his best friend a hug. The mercenary gently wrapped his arms around the hedgehog, the two of them relived to see each other again and knowing that they are going to have to make their reunion last before the final battle.


Meanwhile, back at the Yggdrasil, there was nothing but clouded debris everywhere. Both the Shadow Bugs and the leaders of the Subspace Army were gone. Only Indie showed up. The style of chaotic jumble covering a black body began floating around, his gleaming left eye suddenly catching something. The mysterious warrior noticed Sephiroth's unconscious body buried underneath the debris, and Indie managed to move all those rocks out of the way. Sephiroth was helping get the rocks off himself, and Indie noticed the one-winged angel stand up again.

"Looks like you're alive after all, Sephiroth," Indie spoke in a voice far more clearer and angelic. "Tell me: did ya manage to capture that blue rodent?" Suddenly, Sephiroth grabbed Indie by his skeletal neck, pulling the black mist warrior towards himself.

"Where are the other Subspace Army troops?" Sephiroth snarled.

"Back at the Ruins of the Ancients, where they're preparing for the final battle," Indie responded. "What exactly happened?" Sephiroth walked away from the debris, pissed off.

"Those trophies are bringing more hope and light into the world," Sephiroth snarled. "We're going to take it all away from them if it's the last thing we do – not just the blue rat, but everyone else in general."

"What's wrong with a little light and hope back in the world?" Indie asked. Sephiroth teleported right in front of him, his glowing blue eyes looking down on the warrior fading into black mist.

"I mean… it's not like it's a bad thing…" Indie chuckled, rubbing behind his neck.

"Of course it is," Sephiroth growled. "These Smash Balls are rigged, and Tabuu himself clearly knows that. Our goal is to obtain them so that we can power up these Subspace Bombs, and the Great Maze will be created to help defend against the TRUE Great Evil once he arrives. Do you understand, or do I have to pound it into you relentlessly?"

"Y-yes, sir," Indie stammered, his black body quivering. Sephiroth then walked off, unfurling his raven-black wing.

"And get me another sword just like the weapon I last used," Sephiroth finished, flying off as fast as a falcon. Indie then nodded, warping away from the desolated World Tree in black mist.

Chapter 22: The Truth Uncovered

Summary:

As the fighters take up one last stand against the Subspace Army, Tabuu suddenly realizes his true enemy was right behind his back all along.

Chapter Text

Bayonetta was sitting in her room all alone, toying with the strange device they used on Mewtwo inside the Yggdrasil. The Umbra Witch fondled with the curious thing for quite a while, starting to remember battles between light and darkness. The war between the servants of God and Satan. She could remember them all.

"I wonder how you work, little thing," Bayonetta spoke to the device. "No one would... just leave you lying around for the taking. A weapon for whoever holds this that can unlock the deepest... darkest secrets of the multiverse. Unless... the enemy wants to help us in some way or form..." Fox McCloud suddenly entered the room, startling Bayonetta quite a bit.

"Oh... Fox," Bayonetta chuckled, leaving the device on the table she was sitting next to. "What a pleasant surprise. Is something the matter?" Fox looked down on the floor, his mind in a different place.

"Do you ever feel... guilty about yourself, knowing it's not your fault and yet it somehow is even if someone else did it?" Fox asked. "This is the same kind of attitude I've been getting from Sonic before he split up. It almost like... he knows something we don't, especially when we swore to never keep secrets from each other... no matter what."

"Well... if you put it that way, I suppose everyone could be at fault in these times," Bayonetta spoke. "But there are days in which I need to... let go of the past to make way for a better and brighter future. What happened before is pretty much history. All that matters is learning from our mistakes and using them as gateways to a near-perfect timeline."

"So... you think it's fine we should keep secrets from others to protect those from a greater evil?" Fox asked.

"Suppose," Bayonetta responded, getting up from her seat. Fox looked at the device on the table, starting to get the urge he should take it.

"About the device... do you think we should bring it along?" Fox asked one more time. "I mean... that thing looks super-important. It might not just unlock all our memories, but it could be the gateway to other worlds we... might have no idea exist..."

"I think it would be best to leave it behind in case it gets lost," Bayonetta answered. "I mean... it's not like we'll be gone forever... or if that device might... disappear..." Once the two fighters vanished out of the room, a small shadow swooped over the table, snatching the device from the table. The only evidence the figure left behind were two claw marks, each parallel to one another.


After the events that had occurred back at the Yggdrasil, Sonic and Snake recovered pretty quickly in a few hours. The two of them were up and running again, fully dressed in their choice of clothing, walking alongside the outside dock and feeling the fresh wind and warm sunlight on their faces. Up above the black-red cloud covering Arcadia, the fighters felt so alive and free like they did ten years ago.

"I'm just glad you survived when Sephiroth thought he killed you," Snake said. "You made the brave act of putting yourself in front of us."

"Told you I could make it in the blink of an eye," Sonic chuckled, with Snake grabbing him and giving the blue hedgehog a friendly rub on the head. After Snake let Sonic go, the two of them started laughing, relieved after what happened. Just then, Sonic noticed the three ex-Ultimates Reborn walking towards the two fighters.

"Excuse me for a moment," Sonic said to Snake, walking away from the mercenary. The blue hedgehog then walked towards the three Mii Fighters, wanting to ask them a question.

"Hey, guys," Sonic said. "If you like, I would like a word with all three of you…" The three Mii Fighters looked at each other and wondering what was going on. Later on, the four fighters were walking through one of the many cafeterias that the Legacy had, where a small group of the Mii Fighter army was hanging out with Toon Link, Ike, Ryu, and King K. Rool, telling wild tales about Arcadia's secrets that were not very important. Sitting down with their food on their plates, the three ex-Ultimates Reborn and Sonic sat down to discuss the relevant topic at hand.

"So, Ultimates Reborn…?" Sonic asked.

"We don't go by that name anymore," the Mii Swordfighter interrupted, "but you can call us that if you like."

"Fair enough," Sonic continued. "Anyway, ever since I've been getting these visions about this Hella person, I just kinda noticed the pit you lived in – Ginnungagap – is your ancient home, right?"

"What are you talking about?" the Mii Brawler asked. "Ginnungagap has always been the origin place of the Mii Fighters…"

"Well," Sonic answered, "I just recently noticed that this visions might be incorrect, like they were tampered with. Have you ever met a woman named Hella, by chance?"

"It's not exactly sure," the Mii Gunner answered, "but the tales that were spread from the ancestors to our parents record traces of a woman, but she was, in no way, related to Hella or wasn't even her."

"I knew it," Sonic sighed. "The Master Core, before vanishing right in front of me, told me of an evil greater than himself or Tabuu, for that matter, and Sephiroth later explained that these Smash Balls are beacons to summon him here. Who, or what, is this 'evil', and what does he want?" The three Mii Fighters looked at each other, listening to some of the fighters laugh and be merry, like this peace in the Legacy was going to last.

"There is a story we have not told you yet," the Mii Swordfighter said, pushing away his plate after not even touching his food. "A tale that goes back long before this world was even created, before any of us have ever existed."

"Can you tell me?" Sonic asked, anxious to hear about it.

"Well, the stories have been passed down through our family," the Mii Brawler explained, "but they slowly faded away from our memory over time, eventually forgotten long ago. However, the only thing we managed to pull out from the tales is a riddle…"

"How did this riddle go?" Sonic asked.

"It went a little something like this: Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock." The blue hedgehog pushed away his favorite plate of chili dogs right in front of him, wondering what this could mean.

"Any ideas on the riddle you picked up just now?" Sonic asked, scratching the back of his spiky head. The three Mii Fighters were thinking about the question, pondering with an answer.

"We're not sure," the Mii Gunner spoke up. "However, the only thing we also know is that this savior's not going to be you."

"In other words, people might just say you're too slow to avoid you destiny, and need the work of someone else to bring you back," the Mii Swordfighter butted in. Sonic, for the first time, felt worried about his decision. His ten-year streak of anti-amnesia could be over, and with it his unlimited number of stories he still had to tell.

"Then who's the survivor, if it isn't me?" Sonic asked, terrified.

"Don't know," the Mii Brawler spoke. "Whoever it is, it's someone you're going to have to send off when the time is right…" Just then, the speakers boomed for a special announcement.

"Attention, all fighters," Meta Knight's voice spoke over. "We have arrived at our destination. Please meet up at the drop-off room right away." Afterwards, everyone got up from their places, making their way over to the hatch area, even Sonic and the ex-Ultimates Reborn.

Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock, the blue hedgehog thought, confused. What does that mean? Who's gonna be this 'savior' if I don't make it…?

Meeting up in the drop-off room, all the fighters in the team were gathered around with the Mii Fighters, ready to see what was going on. Meta Knight was the only one to walk right in front of everyone, his Galacta Sword unsheathed.

"We have arrived at our destination," Meta Knight told everyone. "After hours of searching up in the clouds, hidden from enemy eyes thanks to the opaque darkness covering the land, we managed to scan the source of the black-red cloud covering Arcadia: The Ruins of the Ancients." Everyone then clapped when they heard the news. However, Meta Knight looked at them seriously.

"This is no time to celebrate," Meta Knight replied. "Suit up and get ready for the final battle. This won't really matter if this is your first time fighting or even your last. The Subspace Army WILL kill you without any second thoughts. Lock and load, people." As the Legacy descended into the black-red cloud down below, a gigantic, floating platform appeared under all the fighters, with the top hatch opening. The floating platform then moved upward, carrying the peculiar army with it to the roof of the ship. Once it stopped moving, the rest of the warriors noticed behind them were a series of different ships and Winged Firestorms, all of them lacking the Subspace Army marking they once had, especially the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 powered by Faker, the only Shadow Bug that was proven to be friendly but still having enough energy of a thousand of its kind. Captain Falcon was the first one to discover some familiar-looking vehicles.

"Isn't that my Blue Falcon and Falcon Flyer?" Captain Falcon asked, running anxiously towards his ships and feeling the metallic textures.

"And my ship," Zero Suit Samus replied, admiring her gunship along with Samus.

"And two of the Star Fox starships, as well as one of Star Wolf's," Fox McCloud said, getting in the ship and feeling the controls, which were just like how he, Falco, and Wolf used to pilot these things. Snake found himself a military helicopter with machine guns attached to both sides, and he decided to get into the cockpit since he was the only one who could ever drive it. As a few select fighters were admiring their vehicles good as new, Meta Knight walked over towards them.

"We knew what kind of vehicles you preferred," Meta Knight answered. "So, the Mii team and I put our heads together and designed these kinds of ships. The Legacy is coincidentally big enough to fit the ships we once had, which is super-lucky."

"What about yours?" Mario asked, jumping onto an Anti-Subspace Winged Firestorm's back before getting off again.

"Why, my red plumber friend," Meta Knight answered, "I already have mine…" With a booming noise, the rest of the fighters excluding the Mii team and the ex-Ultimates Reborn were surprised to see none other than Meta Knight's ship – the Halberd – moving again, and it was the exact shape and size it appeared ten years ago.

"Told you no ship is too big for the Legacy," Meta Knight chuckled. "Even those who can generate their own way of transportation can join the battle. Get ready, troops. We're almost there…" Both the Mii Fighter army and the group of fighters looked beyond the dark horizon to see their target: the Ruins of the Ancients. This once-peaceful home of R.O.B.'s kind was suddenly turned from a once-great civilization covered in vegetation into a warzone. The sky was raining with Shadow Bugs, followed by Subspace Winged Firestorms flying around and guarding the island on all sides, and for the cherry on top of the lovely cake created by the desolation was the only gateway to Subspace…

"Pick and choose the vehicle you're riding in," Meta Knight replied. "We're going in hot…" All the warriors were jumping into other ships. Even King Dedede was walking with Meta Knight to the Halberd once the Star Warrior's ship drew a bridge for the two cuddly aliens to walk across… well, everyone except for Sonic and Kirby.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked the blue hedgehog. Sonic looked at the pink puffball in worry.

"I know, Kirby," Sonic answered. "Something's up behind this gateway to Subspace. And I'm going to get to the bottom of this. Come, you little curbstomper." The two fighters walked onto the Halberd just in time as the bridge drew up and Meta Knight's ship departed a few meters from the Legacy's drop-off area. King Dedede noticed Sonic and Kirby running to them on the ship, and Meta Knight noticed it too.

"Weren't you supposed to get ready for the final battle?" Meta Knight asked.

"We were," Sonic panted, "but I felt like there was something I needed to ask you first…"

"Poyo," Kirby sighed in response. King Dedede, his hammer in his hand, was wondering what it was Sonic wanted to say.

"Very well," Meta Knight answered.

"Thanks," Sonic said. "Now, I've got a little question to ask: do you know anything about an evil greater than Tabuu?"

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Meta Knight answered. "No evil is greater than Tabuu, or in this case Hella."

"Well, the last vision I had involved the Master Core," Sonic objected. "He said he was, quote, 'one of many', and Tabuu is merely a slave of this overlord, whoever or whatever he is."

"I lost my memories a long time ago, both when I first set foot in Arcadia and my only time in Subspace," Meta Knight said. "I'm afraid I have no comment…" Kirby was wondering about what Sonic is saying, the blue hedgehog looking down on the pink puffball.

"I'm just saying the Mii Fighters have came across a woman, but they have never truly heard of a 'Hella', which pretty much debunks this as these visions are fake, or only the half-truth," Sonic said. "All the Mii Fighters could pull out from their stories is a riddle that went something like this: Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock. I'm just saying I don't know what this means, but that's how it goes…"

"Doesn't Ragnarokk refer to as the Goddess of Oblivion?" Meta Knight asked.

"The Master Core says Tabuu's and his memories have been altered, so it's hard to say whether or not Ragnarokk is a completely different person," Sonic said. "Plus, the ex-Ultimates Reborn told me that I have a high chance of not making it if this said 'birth of Gallia' occurs…" Kirby looked at the three warriors, afraid of what might happen.

"Hey, it's okay, buddy," Sonic sighed, patting Kirby on the head. "It's not like this event will ever happen. Right now, we've got bigger fish to fry, like getting into Subspace and just warming our enemy up for the final battle…" Kirby nodded, the pink puffball walking up to the front. Meta Knight and King Dedede joined alongside Kirby, leaving Sonic on the roof.

"Wait!" Sonic asked. "MK, who's gonna be piloting the ship if you're going with Kirby!?"

"You are, Sonic," Meta Knight teased.

"What!?" Sonic asked, shocked. "I don't even know how to drive, let alone steer a ship!"

"I'm just kidding, my spiny friend," Meta Knight chuckled. "The Mii Fighters made some minor tweaks that really come in handy, two of them being the auto-pilot and another rapid-fire cannons ten times as fast as the previous version." Using the power of love, Kirby respawned another Star Allies Sparkler, wearing heart-shaped visors over his eyes. Meta Knight and King Dedede jumped on the star plane's back, taking off to the sky while leaving behind a semi-transparent rainbow with white hearts raining behind it, fading away after a few seconds.

"Great," Sonic said. "How am I supposed to leave this ship?" Just then, Sonic felt something touching his back. He suddenly realized there were seven familiar objects hidden in his quills. The blue hedgehog pulled them out, revealing the Chaos Emeralds he had before. The seven gemstones then swirled around him, infusing with Sonic and causing his quills to stand upright and turn golden. The irises in Sonic's eyes drastically changed from emerald green to ruby red, and the now-golden hedgehog looked around, noticing he was flying.

"This must be a little side effect my Smash Ball's spirit left behind, huh?" Sonic asked himself. "Time to kick some butt with these babies…" Flying off from the Halberd, Sonic met up with Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede on the star, waving right at them.

"Ready to go, guys!" Sonic said. Going in a formation, the Anti-Subspace Winged Firestorms appeared in a v-style formation, and the ships built on the Legacy flew alongside the mother gunship, ready to attack. The Star Allies Sparkler and Super Sonic then met up with a flying Dark Samus, Mewtwo, Pit, Dark Pit, Rosalina & Luma, Palutena, Corrin in his dragon form, Ridley, and Pokémon Trainer with Squirtle and Ivysaur atop of Charizard. Everyone else, like Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Link, and Cloud, were in assigned vehicles of their decisions. Others, like Mario, Isabelle, R.O.B., and the ex-Ultimates Reborn with the Mii Fighter army, were waiting for the signal to attack on the drop-off area of the Legacy.

Meanwhile, near the gateway of Subspace, Sephiroth, Infinite, M. Bison, and Morpho Knight were standing on the burnt soil of the Ruins of the Ancients. The four commanders noticed the resistance fleet flying towards them, and in the army of thousands of Mii Fighters was Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Dark Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, Young Link, Ganondorf, Marth, Lucina, Falco, Roy, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Pokémon Trainer (Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle), Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Lucas, Pit, Dark Pit, Sonic, Snake, Lucario, Olimar, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Wolf, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Cloud, Bayonetta, Corrin, Ryu, Duck Hunt, Robin, Shulk, Little Mac, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Palutena, Rosalina & Luma, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Ken, Incineroar, and the ex-Ultimates Reborn (Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner) all waiting outside for the command.

"Kill those bastards, and don't let a single one live," Sephiroth snarled.

"You heard the man," Infinite called out to the Subspace Army behind the gateway. "Slaughter them all if you have to." Emerging from the last Subspace gateway, Subspace Winged Firestorms and Shadow Bugs flew out in a chaotic storm, the entire swarm flying after the fighters and the Mii army.

"This is our chance to strike back!" the Mii Brawler cried out. "NOW!"

The Anti-Subspace Winged Firestorms followed the Pro 2.0 as they rammed into the metal dragons part of the Subspace Army, while Primids and creatures formed in midair, dropping down only to be shot by the Legacy and the other ships. While Fox, Falco, and Wolf were rapidly firing at the enemy dragons while doing barrel rolls to avoid the fiery breaths, the Blue Falcon and the Prime Gunship went above the Subspace creatures and blasted them with their lasers. The Star Allies Sparkler teamed up with Super Sonic, with Kirby and his original friends firing star-shaped projectiles that instantly destroyed the enemy dragons and minor Subspace Army members on impact while the golden hedgehog shot himself through the Subspace Winged Firestorms' armor like a bullet at light speed.

It was a chaotic battle in the air, with the fighters that couldn't fly instead jump from the vehicles and Anti-Subspace Winged Firestorms on top of the enemy dragons, slashing through the enemy dragons and causing them to explode on impact. They jumped from dragon to dragon, killing off whatever Primids and Subspace creatures were on the Subspace Winged Firestorms' backs, followed by jumping back to the Legacy once they were finished. Sephiroth looked at each one of the Subspace Army's dragons falling from the sky thanks to the constant explosions. Angry by all this, the one-winged angel slowly retreated back into Subspace with M. Bison, Morpho Knight, and Infinite. The surviving Subspace Winged Firestorms quickly flew back into the dark gateway.

"Alright!" Sonic said, flying towards the retreating dragons. "Let's do this, guys!" A few seconds afterwards, the Mii Fighter team and the warriors of the World of Trophies landed on the shore of the Subspace area. After all that fighting, the ships landed safely with everyone making it. Hopping off the Star Allies Sparkler before it magically vanished was Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede. Transforming back to his normal form was Sonic after the Chaos Emeralds surrounding him disappeared too. The Mii army walked out of the Legacy, ready to sacrifice their lives for the greater good. However, right next to the warriors, the Winged Firestorm Pro 2.0 crash-landed on the black sands, cold and dead. Out of all of the Subspace dragons and Shadow Bugs the resistance killed off, only one of their fleets was defeated. Sonic walked next to the defeated blue dragon with gold markings, kneeling down and placing his gloved hand on the machine. The only Shadow Bug that was powering the robot dragon before floating out of the steel skin was Faker, pulsing a neon violet.

"Faker?" Sonic asked, standing up. "Is that you?" The neon Shadow Bug then floated off to the Subspace gateway, never to be seen again. Sonic looked at the direction of the companion he found before, knowing they just met before departing once more.

"Come on, Sonic," Meta Knight said, standing next to the blue hedgehog. "It's almost time. We have to get to that gateway and finish this for good…" Sonic nodded gently, walking towards the Mii Fighter army towards their destination.

As the resistance army walked only a mile to their destination, the fighters looked around, noticing the surviving vegetation covering corpses and buildings deep in the cavernous pits below. Since R.O.B. had never been back for ten years, he was shocked to find what happened here. The ex-Ancient Minster looked away in shame, but the ex-Ultimates Reborn walked to his side, comforting the robot that everything is going to be okay, even though closing off Subspace won't bring his kind back.

Once the army arrived at their destination, Cloud Strife and Mario were the first ones to walk forward. The 1st-class SOLDIER admired the texture of the gateway, watching as the dark purple colors swirled around like oily puddles after a rain shower.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Cloud told everyone, "standing right before you is the only way into Subspace. Despite looks, it's seemingly dangerous…" Cloud Strife inserted his hand into the void-like entity to feel its soft, wispy, watery texture before taking it out to look at the team that was assembled together.

"I know what you're probably thinking," Mario called out to everyone. "I could-a probably be a screw-up… well… partially a screw-up. The truth is… when we've first discovered this island surviving after ten years, I didn't think I would get involved in this, and I was blamed for all this happening because I refused to tell the truth. Well, I know what kind of pain you're going through, but… I… don't know what to do… after I've lost everyone's trust…" Mario noticed the troops were losing attention, and he felt worried. Pulling out the picture he still had in his overalls, he glanced at it to remember the good times he had with his friends ten years ago. Just then, Sonic stepped up to give Mario a pat on the shoulder.

"Let me have a go at this," Sonic told Mario. The red-clothed plumber nodded as his answer. With that response, the blue hedgehog climbed up on top of a large piece of driftwood until he was on the top root, gazing out into the distance and seeing the army he and his friends have gathered.

"Like Mario said, you guys probably think he's a dick," Sonic said. "And who can blame the poor guy? Haven't we all hidden the truth with little white lies from our loved ones before?" The Mii Fighter army looked up to see the blue hedgehog perched on the driftwood root, and alongside him all of the legendary heroes and villains on their team.

"Behind that gateway lies our worst nightmares," Sonic continued, standing up while maintaining his balance. "Whatever it is, the truth would have to be uncovered sometime soon. At least you guys are lucky: you lost your voices before having them retrieved again, and your home is gone. Well, take a look at R.O.B. over there." Sonic pointed at the ex-Ancient Minister, and the robot moved himself forward to stand next to the blue hedgehog.

"I want you to take a look at this guy," Sonic kept saying. "He was once a leader of his people. The ground you are all standing on, that was his home. His people and their freedom. He lost it all thanks to the Subspace Army, but they probably didn't know any better. They were just doing their job. Whoever's involved, whether it would be Tabuu or someone else, we don't know for sure, but what matters is that we stand and fight. Are you with me!? With all of us!?" The Mii Fighter army yelled their battle cry, ready to sacrifice their lives for the ultimate fight. Once Sonic jumped off the driftwood, the resistance army ran through the Subspace gateway, prepared.

"Wow," Mario said, walking towards the blue hedgehog. "How did you manage to convince these Mii Fighters to fight by our side?"

"Did I forget to tell you I was once a commander?" Sonic answered in the form of a question. "Get yourself imprisoned in space for six months and you might get the idea…" The blue blur then ran off with the Mii Fighter troops into Subspace, followed by Mario and the rest of the gang into the harsh depths of Subspace. The first few seconds of the true form of Subspace managed to flash in their eyes filled with luscious trees, alien-like creatures, and rivers that flew like mercury under a deep blue, watery sky. However, once the darkness sensed that intruders have arrived, it drastically shifted into a warlike land, filled with black opal ground hard as rock, and only the Judgement Fortress showing its single eye gleaming at the fighters. In a group of Primids and other monsters leading them into the final battle were the four generals of the army: Sephiroth, Infinite, M. Bison, and Morpho Knight, with the bosses that involved Dracula and the Rathalos nowhere to be seen.

"Let's-a go," Mario said calmly. "For Arcadia."

"For Arcadia!" Zero Suit Samus yelled.

"For Arcadia!" Link cried too.

"For Arcadia!" all the legendary fighters and the Mii army yelled, and those that couldn't talk cheered instead.

"For getting us home safely," Sonic muttered to himself. The blue hedgehog was filled with hope as he ran with his friends side-by-side, ready to fight. The resistance of the Mii Fighter army along with all of the legendary heroes and villains ran towards the hundreds of thousands of monsters of the Subspace Army, the two teams clashing with each other.

The final battle seemed like the wars of old, with two sides equally balanced and their hands full of their rivals. The Mii Fighters, alongside the ex-Ultimates Reborn and those who used to work for the Subspace Army before changing their minds, attacked a series of minor Subspace monsters, first aiming for the ones that fly and the others that were grounded. The other legendary warriors used their special talents to kill off whoever or whatever attacked them, even the commanders of the Subspace Army. Ryu and Ken teamed up to fight against M. Bison while Kirby, Meta Knight, and King Dedede had their hands full attacking Morpho Knight. Sonic kept his target-locking ability on Infinite with his spin attacks, and Cloud Strife was clashing swords with his mortal rival Sephiroth.

"You can't defeat us, Cloud," Sephiroth snarled, his face drawing closer to Cloud's. "We are unstoppable." Cloud then pushed Sephiroth with his foot, drawing his Buster Sword.

"I beg to differ," the 1st-class SOLDIER objected, with the one-winged angel looking behind Cloud. Sephiroth then saw almost all of his troops were defeated, with only a few Mii Fighters slain. All of the legendary fighters, including the ex-Ultimates Reborn and the ex-Ancient Minister, were walking closer to the commanders of the Subspace Army.

"You'll regret this… all of you…" Sephiroth growled, vanishing into thin air. Flying as a darkened cloud towards the top of the Judgement Fortress, Sephiroth retreated alongside Infinite, Morpho Knight, and M. Bison back into the tower. The Subspace Army lost.


Inside the Judgement Fortress, Tabuu, outside of his crystal ball prison, appeared in the form of Hella, wrapping her butterfly-like cape around herself like a dress and wielding the abstract-looking, golden staff with the dark Smash Ball from before. Though the crystal ball was still around in the throne room, that glass prison behaved more like a resting place for Tabuu. She walked towards the Master Hand, admiring how he was hung up by the Chains of Light, weakened as each end of these powerful tools were latched onto the walls and restraining the Hand of Creation.

"Look at you," Hella spoke, placing her hand on the Master Hand's leathery, glove-like shell. "You are merely just a servant of someone greater, as was me. Hopefully the warriors you have summoned get through my little challenge to bring back the hope and light, though you and I clearly know where there is the yang, there is always the yin; therefore, once the hope and light return to Arcadia, HE will use these powers to stop us, converting that hope and light into fear and darkness…" Just then, Indie, the only one to arrive in the room, teleported near the crystal ball Tabuu was regenerating his powers in.

"So, you decided to awaken form your slumber, Tabuu?" Indie asked, slowly floating towards Hella and watching as the black-haired warrior looked at the fading-into-black-mist creature.

"I don't go by that name anymore," Hella answered.

"You don't have to hide anything from me," Indie objected, creeping closer. "You can stop pretending to be someone you're not now…"

"I'm supposed to remain in this form until the Great Maze is complete," Hella spoke. "Not only will I create a world of my own, I will also use it to defend against the one I call my master…"

"So you plan on using the greatest weapons in the known multiverse against their creator?" Indie asked.

"What are you talking about?" Hella spoke, wondering what was going on. Indie then merely just floated next to the black-haired warrior.

"You are really stubborn, slave," Indie chuckled.

"Slave…?" Hella asked, stepping a little farther away.

"Ten years after your first attempt on the Great Maze, I was released from my prison, searching through the cosmos for you and traveling from universe to universe," Indie said, floating a little closer to the ground and to Hella. "I went looking for the one who bound himself in Chains of Light and Darkness millennia ago, and you're using these bondages against the only Master Hand guarding this planet."

"I had to become enslaved so that I could save the only love of my life," Hella spoke, pulling out her staff with the darkened Smash Ball. "You and your brother destroyed her in your fight, so I had to sacrifice my freedom…" Indie then teleported next to Hella, gently grabbing her hand.

"Don't forget the deal you made, Tabuu," Indie growled, revealing the Chains of Light on Hella's wrists and ankles.

"Yes, master," Hella spoke, and Indie's body started glowing brighter than the afternoon sun.


A few minutes had passed, and Sephiroth alongside the other three Subspace commanders ran into the throne room. The one-winged angel had noticed Tabuu was outside his glass ball, looming over the four leaders in his towering form – the glowing blue body he once had, the abstract butterfly wings, the single red eye where a person's stomach should be, levitating in the arms-crossed stance he once took.

"Tabuu?" Sephiroth asked. "What are you doing outside your prison? I thought absorbing the Smash Balls would free you…" The Construct God slowly shifted his body, looking down upon them.

"This was more like a resting place, considering the fact that was getting comfortable inside there," Tabuu spoke. "About Hella and my relationship with the Master Core, the memories I filled a few select fighters…"

"What about them?" Infinite spoke up. "Is there something you haven't told us yet?"

"I have a confession to make," Tabuu spoke. "This was the exact same position I forced the Master Hand to reveal to Lord Ganondorf ten years ago, eventually having the Gerudo call me a traitor. Well…" Tabuu then lifted up his left wrist, showing a golden handcuff wrapped around his wrist that suddenly became visible.

"No," Sephiroth whispered. "It can't be… you don't mean to tell me that…"

"I'm afraid the origin of Hella was a ruse," Indie's voice called out from behind the Construct God. Sephiroth, M. Bison, Morpho Knight, and Infinite looked behind Tabuu to find none other than the warrior made of black mist, grabbing onto the Chains of Light that cuffed and shackled Tabuu's wrists and ankles.

"Indie!" M. Bison yelled. "What do you think you're doing!?" Indie just simply cackled at that response, enjoying Tabuu under his control.

"This is something that goes WAAAAAY back, if you know what I mean," Indie answered. "It all started with a fight in the multiverse…"

"We have no idea what you are talking about," Morpho Knight answered. "Answer us! What is going on, Indie!?" Laughing out of craziness, Indie suddenly pulled Tabuu towards him, glowing much brighter. The four Subspace Army leaders were shocked by what was going on. Below Indie which once was every reference the black-mist warrior was paying homage to now remains a pile of clothes that had disintegrated a few seconds after they had touched the black floor. Now, all that had remained was a divine being so bright he appeared in the form of a glowing white orb without showing his true appearance just yet. Emerging from the bright orb were six, colossal wings that stretched out across the room, with the outsides coated in quartz and the insides showing off galaxies behind an ocean blue and a fiery red background, with the two colors each on separate wings but placing the images of the cosmos together.

"Who the hell are you!?" Sephiroth called out to the strange being enslaving Tabuu.

"I'm a being lost-lost in the depths of history," the six-winged guest spoke in a deepened voice completely different from Indie's usual, croaky voice. "The fact that Tabuu is under my power goes way back, during the time when even the greatest clock in the known multiverse was ticking my name: Galeem, the Seraph of Order."

"You're the great evil Tabuu warned us about!" Sephiroth snarled. "You are going to pay for this, you demon!" The one-winged angel then pulled out his katana blade while the other three commanders stepped back.

"Sephiroth, don't do this," Infinite growled. "He is not who you think he is…" However, Sephiroth would not listen and flew right past the enslaved Tabuu towards Galeem. The seraphic being managed to use his powers, wrapping Sephiroth around in a golden rope. The one-winged angel then dropped to the ground, his raven-black wing struggling underneath the tight bondage as the other three warriors kept watching, too afraid to even help Sephiroth.

"Time to put my powers to good use," Galeem spoke, the glowing white orb with six wings floating towards the Master Hand. The Seraph of Order then used his telekinesis ability, slowly ripping apart the cloth-like skin covering the Master Core and turning the Swarms inside to gleaming blue from the usual pitch-black color they originally were. Galeem then absorbed the blue essence from the Swarms into his body hidden from the glowing white orb surrounding him, generating a small black hole. From the emptiness, Galeem then shot out a bright yellow beam, curving its shot to target the one-winged angel. As soon as Sephiroth was hit by the beam, the one-winged angel noticed the golden rope falling off him, and he found his physical form quickly fading into dust. Sephiroth was terrified by what was happening to him as he kept holding onto himself, trying to catch the dust falling off his body. Once the black hole vanished and the beam disappeared, M. Bison, Infinite, and Morpho Knight slowly got up after hiding in the Phantom Ruby's virtual world to see Galeem appear before them again, holding onto the Chains of Light that Tabuu was bound to. The Seraph of Order then pulled out a glowing white arm, his true form still hidden from view, and snapped his fingers. Emerging from where Sephiroth once was now stood before Galeem a semi-transparent, glowing red replica of the one-winged angel with a Rainbow Aura.

"A Master Legendary," Galeem chuckled. "Just what I needed."

"What did you do to him!?" Infinite snarled underneath his metal mask.

"I made him into a Spirit," Galeem answered, Sephiroth turning his ghostly neck around to glare at the three leaders of the Subspace Army.

"You see," Galeem continued, "when I use that beam trick on anyone that has not passed the test of a Master Core, whether it would be an Assist Trophy, summoning Pokémon, or anyone else in general, they become a Spirit."

"You mean you… killed Sephiroth!?" M. Bison asked in anger.

"You could say I did…" Galeem answered. "I can bring back his physical form, but only when he surrenders his freedom." Galeem then dragged Tabuu towards him with the Chains of Light, the Construct God attempting to resist.

"You better turn Sephiroth back to normal at once!" Morpho Knight snapped, pulling out his sword. The three commanders of the Subspace Army then pulled out their weapons, but Galeem merely just laughed, throwing Tabuu to his side. The Seraph of Order then got up from the throne he was sitting on, levitating higher into the air.

"How cocky," Galeem chuckled. "Now that I have reunited with the physical realm, I will finally create the world I have always wanted. And don't worry, guys. I still have plenty of energy from the Arcadian Master Core, so you'll get to join your little friend too…" Transforming into a little black hole again, the Seraphim of Chaos then fired three more shots at the commanders of the Subspace Army, and not even Tabuu could stop his master. The last thing Morpho Knight, Infinite, and M. Bison saw as the golden beams of light passed through them were their bodies disintegrating and the unholy laughter from the six-winged orb of light echoing through the Judgement Fortress.

Chapter 23: Destiny Calls

Summary:

The Super Smash Brothers had managed to successfully defeat the Subspace Army. However, they soon learn the existence of a far greater threat than Tabuu - one that destroys the entire multiverse along with the fighters.

Chapter Text

The sky of Subspace was still swirling around as all of the legendary warriors and the Mii Fighters walked up to each other. Few of them were finishing up a Primid or two, involving the Villager sticking his axe into a Primid's back, shove it forward so hard the axe was stuck inside the Primid's body, turning the sharpened blade upward, and slicing it upwards, the Villager watching with an unchanged expression as the Primid's upper half split in two, falling onto the black ground dead. Coated in juices from the Shadow Bugs, Villager put away his axe and ran towards his friends, glad that this is all over.

"We did it," Cloud sighed, pulling his blade out of another minor Subspace Army monster.

"We sure did," Meta Knight panted, placing his golden sword behind his back.

"Way to go," Mario cheered, with the Mii Fighter army walking towards the gathered warriors in victory. Everyone was giving out congratulations to each other, but only Kirby noticed something was up as he watched Sonic simply stand there. The pink puffball walked towards the blue hedgehog, wondering what it was Sonic had on his mind. After a short period of time, Sonic patted Kirby on the head, walking to all the companions in the army.

"Uh, guys?" Sonic asked. The fighters stopped congratulating each other to hear what Sonic was asking everyone.

"If we managed to defeat the Subspace Army, what are we still doing here?" Sonic continued in question. The warriors looked at each other, thinking about what to do now.

"The obvious reason is this, Sonic-a: we haven't defeated-a Tabuu yet," Mario answered, rubbing Sonic on the head. "We're going to have to head to the Judgement Fortress and stop all this. We may have weakened the Subspace Army for now, but I get the feeling it's going to be bigger than when we last attacked." The fighters then stood back a little, cool about the response. One by one, each warrior then ran towards the Judgement Fortress, which was still levitating in the air. However, before any of the troops could make it to the door, the ground began shaking. Each one of the warriors looked up to see the Judgement Fortress breaking apart, each piece of debris disintegrating before they even touched the floor. From the sides of the castle emerged six colossal wings, each one a different color of either blue or red, and both of them had imagery of dancing stars within them. As the last remaining parts of the Judgement Fortress crumbled underneath, each one of the warriors saw a gleaming white orb at where the six wings met.

"Surprise, surprise," the seraph laughed. "It's not over yet. Turns out the battle is still going…"

"Who are you to intrude us in a time like this!?" Ridley hissed, his dragon-like wings outstretched.

"His name is Galeem, Seraph of Order," Tabuu answered, floating up from behind the six-winged being. As Galeem pulled Tabuu closer with the Chains of Light the Construct God was bound in, the fighters and the Mii army did not understand what was going on.

"Look who I found…" Galeem teased in a sing-song voice, tugging on the Chains of Light.

"You imprisoned Tabuu when we were this close to defeating him!?" Fox McCloud snarled.

"Our history goes back in time, to when you didn't even exist," Galeem answered. "Let's just say for now… there really was no Ruins of the Ancients…"

"So it was a trap all along?" Snake asked. "You baited us here!"

"Guess you could say that…" Galeem answered, still holding onto the Chains of Light Tabuu was bound in. With a snap from his glowing white fingers, Galeem managed to shrink the entirety of Subspace down to almost nothingness. The fighters and the Mii army thought there were going to be trapped in there forever since the borders were shrinking fast, but they heard the waves splashing and they felt the sun on their faces once more.

Each one of the warriors looked around, seeing that they were at the exact same location everyone gathered up ten years ago, watching a gleam in the sky replace the area of where the Isle of the Ancients used to be. The black-red cloud covering all of Arcadia vanished, showing the clear sky once more. When the fighters looked up, they saw Galeem, his wings outstretched.

"This situation was made up just to call us all here, isn't it?" Mario yelled. "You used Tabuu to reunite the rejected members of the Subspace Army without even making the Construct God tell the truth!"

"You people are just so… gullible," Galeem chuckled. "What you are about to see is the reawakening of a new empire… with the planet you have been trapped in all along as its center."

"What are you trying to say?" Daisy asked.

"Just watch…" Galeem answered. Spreading his three pairs of wings apart, the Seraph of Order created a magical vortex around himself, and the fighters on the ground could do nothing to stop him.

"Hands of Creation, servants of Gallia, call to my arms, help me rebuild this world," Galeem chanted. With the ground rumbling once more, each one of the fighters and the Mii team watched as the Seraph of Order with Tabuu dragged by the Chains of Light called forth someone unknown. Appearing out of nowhere like starships that have traveled to their destination at light-speed were Master Hands, each one of them surrounding Galeem.

"There's more of them!?" Simon asked, pulling out his Vampire Killer.

"Each planet you live on is guarded by at least one Master Hand, hidden away from the physical forms of these worlds," Galeem answered. "As you can see, I have called them all here just for their eternal service and each of their Core's essence of your downfall…"

"Don't let a single one get away!" Fox exclaimed, pointing his blaster at the Seraph of Order and his Master Hands. Tabuu merely looked away in shame as he knew he was forever a slave of Galeem as long as he was cuffed and shackled in the Chains of Light.

"We'll each need to take down ten," Marth said, pulling out his Falchion.

"Stow your fear!" Zelda replied. "It's now or never!"

"We'll win this," Pit answered. "I know we will!"

"What do you think, Shulk-a?" Mario asked, each member of both the legendary warriors and the Mii Fighter army looking at the Bionis.

"You can see into the future, right?" Mario continued in question. "Tell us what is going to happen…" Shulk then pulled out his Monado Arts, placing the blade on his shoulders. Shulk's eyes gleamed blue as he kept seeing futures of what Galeem has in store for them.

"Listen here, Galeem!" Sonic yelled at the Seraph of Order. "There is no need for violence! If you call off your Master Hand army, we can call this whole thing quits! What is it that makes this planet so special, outside of our imprisonment and creatures of darkness invading? Like creatures of darkness never invade other worlds?"

"My history that ties in with this planet is what makes me complicated," Galeem answered. Once Shulk was finished with the visions he witnessed, the Bionis quickly fainted for Robin to catch him in time. Mario and the rest of the gang managed to run up to Shulk in time, noticing his was sweating.

"What happened?" the Mii Brawler asked, shaking Shulk as he quickly woke up. The Bionis managed to see the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn in front of him before wiping his head.

"I looked into the future," Shulk answered. "To see what was going to happen in the upcoming conflict." Each one of the warriors looked at Shulk as he quickly got up and drew his Monado Arts.

"How many did you see?" Corrin said in question.

"Six decillion, forty-eight nonillion, seven hundred-and-forty-two octillion, five hundred-and-seventy-nine septillion, fourteen million, six hundred and five," Shulk answered, standing near the rim of the cliffside while looking at Galeem, the imprisoned Tabuu, and the Master Hands.

"And how many are-a there in which we-a win?" Mario asked. Shulk merely glanced down, sweat dripping down his face as he was quickly panting.

"…One," Shulk answered in a tired voice.

"One?" Sonic asked, confused and angry. "That's impossible. All these futures, and only ONE shows our victory? Unless you mean to tell us that this conflict-"

"Is catastrophic," Shulk interrupted. "No matter what I do, I cannot stop some of these visions. It's up for the future itself to decide what's going to happen…" Each one of the warriors looked at each other, worried about what might happen if they lose. Could it mean simply defeat, or something… greater?

Up there in the sky, Galeem then used his telekinesis ability to shred all the Master Hands around him, gathering up the blue essences of the Cores, absorbing them into his body. As the Seraph of Order was still drawing in magic from the Master Hands, the legendary warriors and the Mii Fighter army were getting ready to finish this, whatever was going to happen.

As the warriors were looking up at the sky, Shulk then suddenly remembered something. How all these alternate realities start. How Galeem was going to create his world. How this could spell doom for everyone he cared about.

"Oh my God," Shulk whispered. "This is how all these futures start…" Every fighter in the resistance army heard the Bionis talking to himself, terror in his eyes as he knew what was going to happen once Galeem has finished absorbing all of the Master Cores.

"Run," Shulk panted. "Don't think about attacking or reflecting his attacks. There's no way you can avoid them…" The fighters were confused by what he was saying, trying to understand what he meant by that order.

"What do you-a mean?" Luigi asked. Galeem then was finished absorbing the Master Cores, transforming into a giant black hole. Shulk then quickly turned around, pulling out his Monado Arts.

"EVERYBODY RUN!" Shulk yelled. With a mighty blast, none of the warriors could react in time as the black hole suddenly shot out giant beams of energy, all curving around to attack every single fighter, including the Miis.

The beams of light were first aiming towards few of the Mii Fighter army, disintegrating them on impact. No matter how fast they ran or how much power was put into their weapons, they could not avoid these deadly things. The ex-Ultimates Reborn noticed their troops seemed like they were being killed off and so tried to defend the fighters escaping.

"Get out of here, and fast!" the Mii Gunner yelled. "We'll hold this guy off for as long as we can!" The second she finished, the Mii Gunner was taken along with the beams of light alongside the Brawler and Swordfighter.

Link was blocking most of the attacks with his Master Sword and Hylian Shield, but there was a huge beam coming towards his direction that he could not avoid. As soon as the beam reached towards him, Ganondorf came in with his big blade and slashed one of the millions of Galeem's beam attacks.

"Ganondorf?" Link asked. Cloud Strife ran in to protect the Hylian as the Gerudian was blocking the beams with his sword.

"Leave with the Champion of Hyrule, human," Ganondorf told Cloud. "I'll stall these things." While Cloud Strife was running off with Link, the Gerudo lord was still attacking before being instantly attacked by one of the beams, disintegrating like the others. Another beam was targeting both Cloud and Link, closing in faster. The Hylian noticed what was going to happen to them and hugged Cloud in fear. The 1st-class SOLDIER would not let the disintegration effect occur to anyone, including himself and Link, so he pulled out his Buster Sword just in time before the beam engulfed both blond-haired swordsmen.

Simon and Richter Belmont tried getting into the Big Blue with Captain Falcon, but they were easily defeated before they could even leave. Isabelle and Villager jumped onto Ridley's back while the Space Pirate was carrying King K. Rool into the air. However, they too were slow enough for the beams to catch them as well. Snake thought the little "hiding in his cardboard box" trick would help, but he was sadly taken by another beam as well. Fox, Falco, and Wolf tried hopping into their starships, but they were either taken before they even lifted off or tried blasting off at the speed of light. No matter what was the case, the three anthropomorphic star pilots were engulfed by beams of light. Zelda teamed up with Mewtwo as soon as she saw Sheik taken, jumping high into the air with the legendary Pokemon, and the two magic wielders attempted on reflecting. However, it sadly had no effect on their abilities as they were attacked by the light beams. When Clementine saw another beam of light heading straight towards her, the Inkling quickly created a puddle of orange ink and hid in there. It apparently had no effect because if she supposedly dies, she's taking the ground with her.

Left and right, troops of the Mii Fighter army were quickly being disintegrated alive, and the legendary warriors of the World of Trophies were attacked as well. The fighters that could pilot ships were engulfed before they even took off, and those that could fly on their own were shortly attacked before fading into dust. Mario was still running away from the black hole shooting the beams of light, but he tripped before he saw another deadly light run towards him. The red plumber suddenly saw his brother Luigi step up in front of him, setting the Poltergust device he had up to maximum overdrive which created a vortex that sucked everything in.

"Keep-a running, Mario!" Luigi spoke as the beam of light was drawing closer. As soon as the energy attack reached the two brothers, a blue blur zipped inbetween Mario and Luigi, taking the red plumber. Mario looked at who was carrying him, and it was apparently Sonic. The red plumber quickly managed to catch a glimpse of his brother Luigi trying to suck the beam of light with his vacuum weapon, but was quickly defeated as it disintegrated him. Once Sonic ran at a safe location from the beams of light, the blue hedgehog let Mario slip off his spiny back as the red plumber quickly sat up.

"What-a do you think you're doing here!?" Mario asked.

"I'm trying to get as many of you guys out of here," Sonic answered. "Didn't you hear Shulk? You can't attack or reflect these things. No matter how hard you try, the only thing you can do to avoid the beams is just run. No questions asked. Just run." Mario looked down on the ground, watching as most of his friends mysteriously disappeared, and those that are surviving were not around for very long. The blue hedgehog helped the red plumber stand up, but Mario placed a hand on Sonic's shoulder.

"You're the one who needs to run," Mario said. "Just run away from here as fast as you can. Don't even look back."

"What!?" Sonic exclaimed. "No! I just reunited with you guys. I can't lose you again!" Mario then placed a hand on the blue hedgehog's cheek, understanding Sonic's pain.

"Just do as I say, Sonic-a," Mario said. The red plumber then pulled out the picture he had hidden in his overalls, handing them to Sonic the Hedgehog. As the blue blur noticed the strange sheet of paper, he quickly made up that it was the picture everyone took at the Midair Stadium ten years ago, long-forgotten by everyone else since it was covered with dust and flaking black corners, and the permanent marker that spelled "Smash Bros. 2008" was slowly fading away.

"That's the photo we took… back during our first victory against the Subspace Army…" Sonic said, his voice starting to break. "Oh, Mario… I completely forgot… I didn't mean-" Mario then placed a finger on Sonic's muzzle, the two starting to show tears in their eyes.

"Don't forget about us," Mario interrupted, closing Sonic's hands with the photograph in them. "Just run. Push me and run…"

"Won't… won't that be betrayal?" Sonic asked.

"It doesn't really matter anymore," Mario answered. "What matters is that you simply run…" Beginning to cry, the blue hedgehog hugged the red plumber, tightening his grasp so that it almost feels like he never wants to let this moment go. The two fighters were still hearing the warlike cries and screams of the other warriors, with another one of Galeem's beams of light heading straight towards them.

"Goodbye again," Sonic wept as Mario planted a small kiss on the top of the blue hedgehog's forehead. Through an act of safety, Sonic pushed Mario off the safe zone into the beam of light, quickly running in tears as he didn't even get the chance to see the red plumber disintegrate. As the blue hedgehog was running, he saw all of the good friends he made suddenly engulfed in the beams of light, Mii Fighter troops and all. Not even the Legacy and all of the other ships in the distance could stop Galeem's attack as they exploded on impact by the beams of light while firing away at the vortex. Kirby managed to create a Warp Star out of thin air with the same ability as with what he used to make the Star Allies Sparkler, serving as a fast means of transportation. The pink puffball piloted the Warp Star as fast as he could, lowering it to the ground so that Meta Knight and King Dedede could jump on from a rocky thumb protruding out of the rocky dirt.

"Kirby, think fast!" Meta Knight called out while holding King Dedede's hand. The pink puffball tried moving the Warp Star closer to the two Dream Friends. However, before Meta Knight and King Dedede even touched Kirby's stubby hand, they were engulfed by a beam of light, disintegrating as Kirby piloted the Warp Star faster away from the warzone, looks of fear on his cuddly face. Sonic the Hedgehog ran next to Kirby in time, jumping onto the Warp Star so that the two could escape.

"Keep going!" Sonic ordered Kirby. The pink puffball nodded, putting more of the love energy into the Warp Star he created. The blue hedgehog then noticed Pit and Dark Pit flying next to the Warp Star, both angels being powered by Palutena's Gift of Flight.

"Nice going, Pit-stain!" Dark Pit snarled. "'We'll win this. I know we will.' How stupid are you!?"

"I didn't know what was going to happen, Pittoo!" Pit cried. "Besides, if anything were to happen to Lady Palutena as she's guiding us out of here, we're done for!"

"Get on, guys!" Sonic called out to the two angels. "Quit arguing and let's go!" Both Pit and his doppelganger were just about to grab onto the Warp Star, but Palutena was engulfed by another beam of light like all the others. Once the two angels felt the Gift of Flight in their wings was gone, they were falling to their death, trying to reach for Sonic as they disintegrated as well. The beam that attacked Pit and Dark Pit was close to the Warp Star as well, so Sonic and Kirby were trying to hold on as they were sent tumbling. The pink puffball managed to keep the Warp Star moving, but both fighters were so close to the ground that the Warp Star was screeching as its behind was scratching the cliffside stone. Not only that, but behind the two warriors was another beam of light heading straight towards them, and right in front of them was a 300-foot drop of death that the fighters forgot to check ten years ago before they left, and water was surrounding the entire island the cliffside was shown on.

"I don't think there's really a choice here since the Warp Star can't carry the both of us, Kirby," Sonic said to the pink puffball, knowing that they were too heavy to be supported by the Warp Star now. "We slow down, we both die. We keep going any faster, we both die. There's nothing we can do unless…" The blue hedgehog suddenly came to the only conclusion that he was about to make.

"…Unless one of us gets off first…" Sonic then looked to his right, watching as Kirby was anticipated to get the both of them off. The blue hedgehog then slowly moved closer to the pink puffball. When Kirby felt the blue hedgehog rub the back of his round body, the pink puffball looked at Sonic with black-and-blue eyes.

"Kirby?" Sonic asked, watching as the beam of light was approaching closer to them.

"Kirby, there's something I need to do for your safety," Sonic said.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked gently as the Warp Star was moving closer to the deadly drop.

"I need you to get out of here as quickly as possible," Sonic answered.

"Poyo-poyo?" Kirby asked. Sonic then placed his gloved hand on Kirby's stubby arm.

"Don't worry about me," Sonic answered. "Your safety matters much more to me than even my own memories. There is also a riddle spoken to me, and I want you to remember it: Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock. Remember this message, okay? It might help in the future..." The beam of light was approaching closer to the two fighters, the Warp Star losing more energy the faster it went. Sonic then handed Kirby the picture that was given to the blue hedgehog a minute before Mario supposedly died.

"…Poyo?" Kirby asked, confused by what was happening.

"Whatever you do, don't lose the memories we had together… not as friends, but as family," Sonic wept, tears building up in his eyes. Kirby took a good look at the picture that was given to him, and the pink puffball looked at the blue hedgehog in confusion and watery eyes.

"Poyo-po?" Kirby asked, his adorable voice breaking. Sonic then hugged the pink puffball, sobbing into Kirby's pillow-like body. The beam of light drew in closer, and so did the death drop. The Warp Star slowed down enough for Sonic to jump off while still holding on from the back. As Kirby held onto the photograph, he looked behind to see Sonic the Hedgehog, the only fighter that had survived ten years without losing his memories to a trophy transformation, sacrificing his life for the pink puffball.

"Godspeed, you little curbstomper," Sonic whispered, a river of tears flowing from his conjoined eyes as he placed his feet on the ground, keeping up with the speed of the Warp Star.

"Poyo!" Kirby cried. Sonic then picked up the Warp Star from behind, running as fast as he could from the beam of light that was targeting the two fighters. To the blue hedgehog, it seemed like he managed to slow down the beam heading straight towards them with Kirby hanging on. With one last feat of strength, Sonic stopped instantly at the rim of the death drop, throwing the Warp Star out of sight with Kirby in it. The beam of light went above the blue hedgehog as it attempted to catch up to the pink puffball.

"I know you can save us all," Sonic wept quietly, standing on the rim of the 300-foot drop, his arms folded across his chest. He saw Kirby with the photograph the blue hedgehog gave him simply fly off into the sky faster than the speed of light. Pikachu hopped towards Sonic, battered and bruised while trying to avoid the beams. Once the mouse-like Pokémon turned his head towards the blue hedgehog, Pikachu tried giving off the cutest smile he had on, even though times were bad. However, Sonic mainly looked down on Pikachu, streams of tears running down his face as he clenched his teeth, giving sign to the Pokémon that there is no hope to escape from Galeem for the rest of the fighters and the Mii army. With the sadness spreading to Pikachu, beads of water built up in the Pokémon's face as the rim of his mouth trembled.

"Pika-pi…" Pikachu wept. The blue hedgehog then knelt down, opening his arms a bit to let the Pokémon cuddle into him. Without anything to do, Pikachu ran towards Sonic, knowing his love for smaller animals shined through him. As the two tightly hugged each other, Pikachu cried into Sonic's shoulder, with the blue blur silently hiccuping as he tried to hold back his tears. Up there, in the sky still holding onto the Warp Star and the photograph taken ten years ago, the last thing Kirby saw was Sonic hugging Pikachu in a caring manner, the two shutting their eyes as tears dripped down their face before another beam of light engulfed the two warriors, disintegrating them on impact. One more beam was heading straight towards Kirby, about to reach the pink puffball, but the power of love was so great in Kirby that it powered the Warp Star up to max, causing the young Star Warrior and the transportation device explode into smaller stars that vanished a few seconds later before the beam managed to catch up to them.

As the only remaining legendary warriors and the Mii Fighter troops were caught in Galeem's blasts, the beams of light then shot up across the sky, engulfing the planet before spreading across the solar system Arcadia was located in. Once all of the other planets surrounding their sun were caught in Galeem's attack, the beams of light then quickly spread to other stars and worlds. Afterwards, the whole galaxy that Arcadia was identified to reside in was engulfed in one massive explosion of light, following up with all of the clusters and superclusters in space, spreading across all of the other universes in existence. During that time, all of the people that weren't made into fighters were engulfed as well, transforming into the Spirits. Afterwards, the whole multiverse was covered in light, instantly shrinking down until there was nothing… but the silent, black death of space.

Chapter 24: The Harsh Reality

Summary:

After a major event that eradicated the multiverse in light, the Super Smash Brothers are transformed into servants for Galeem. Only Kirby seemed to survive, and he must now travel another world cold... and alone...

Chapter Text

Darkness covered the area. There was nothing but the silence of death. Mario slowly stirred from his unconsciousness back to reality. The red plumber felt like he was trapped in a dream. He slowly felt like he could not move anywhere. Just then, the floor underneath him gave way, moving Mario up to a bright light from far away. As the lights went back into his eyes, Mario saw the only reason he could not move was because he was chained up. Cuffs that covered his hands were revealed, as well as shackles attached to his feet, with both welded to iron chains that were bolted to a golden trophy base that Mario was standing on. Once the trophy base stopped moving, he looked around, seeing all his friends around him in the exact same position he was in: imprisoned in chains and latched to golden bases of trophies, with all of them bearing the Smash Ball symbol. Everyone was fixed to look in the same direction, some of them struggling to break free.

"Sonic-a?" Mario asked, noticing the blue hedgehog in the group of imprisoned fighters.

"Sorry, buddy," Sonic answered, looking down in shame. "There was nowhere to go. None of us could even escape…"

"It's okay," Mario answered. "We'll always get out of these scrapes, right?" Every single one of the fighters looked away in fear. Just then, the light from before grew brighter again, revealing the being behind all this: Galeem. The Seraph of Order then dragged Tabuu by his Chains of Light, the Construct God looking down in envy.

"Surprised to see me?" Galeem asked, each one of the warriors struggling with their special abilities – transformations, elemental powers, and more.

"No need to escape," Galeem continued. "No matter what kinds of tricks you have up your sleeves, these chains know exactly what your next move is and counter-defend, making it completely hopeless…"

"Galeem!" the Mii Swordfighter growled. "What did you do to the Mii Fighter army!?"

"Why would you get the nerve to think I did something horrible to your people, Ultimates Reborn?" Galeem asked. "They're right here…" With a snap of his glowing fingers, Galeem pulled down thousands of charcoal-black cages, each one carrying several Mii Fighters at a time, with each one roped together by the golden bondages.

"Look at you," Galeem asked, admiring at how many fighters he had enslaved and gathered. "Look at all of you. Every single warrior that has ever passed the test of Arcadia's Master Hand is here." Galeem then snapped his fingers again, calling forth a glowing Buckot to look at all the warriors. The order they were viewed was at random, but the best you should know was that Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Dr. Mario, Rosalina & Luma, Bowser Jr., Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Link, Zelda, Sheik, Ganondorf, Young Link, Toon Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Meta Knight, King Dedede, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Pichu, Pokémon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard), Lucario, Greninja, Captain Falcon, Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers, Marth, Lucina, Roy, Ike, Robin, Corrin, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Wario, Olimar, R.O.B., Villager, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Daisy, King K. Rool, Ridley, Dark Samus, Incineroar, Chrom, Isabelle, Inkling, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon, Richter, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner were all present, bound in iron chains and latched onto perfectly aligned trophy cases.

"Wait a minute…" Galeem muttered. Sending the Buckot to check again, the Subspace Army creature replica shone a light on an empty trophy base. When the Seraph of Order saw that one of the fighters was missing, he floated a little higher, pulsing brighter in light as a means to show he was angry about something.

"It looks like I'm forgetting someone," Galeem spoke. All of the other fighters suddenly looked around, trying to see who it was among them that escaped.

"You," Galeem growled, shining a spotlight on Sonic the Hedgehog. When the blue blur was picked, he knew that he did something to deserve getting the seraph's attention. With a wave of his wrist, Galeem used his telekinesis ability to shift Sonic's trophy base towards him. Once Sonic was at a legit distance, the Seraph of Order levitated a little closer.

"Where is he?" Galeem growled.

"Where's who?" Sonic teased, struggling with the cuffs and shackles. "There are a lot of male warriors in our group, and by a lot, I mean 'a LOT' a lot-"

"SILENCE!" Galeem yelled, his deafening voice echoing through the darkness and shaking the cages the Mii Fighters were trapped in.

"I know exactly what you did," Galeem continued. "When I unleashed that little attack, did you not think that I can see every move you miserable wimps pull up out of your sleeves?"

"Now that I think about it, no," Sonic answered, smirking. In a low growl, Galeem shifted back a little, each one of the legendary warriors trembling.

"You know who I'm referring to, everyone," Galeem continued. "One of the most adorable fighters on your team; soft and cuddly, like a big pillow, pink all over and those big, black-and-blue eyes. Sounds like a familiar 'someone' you want to snuggle into, doesn't it?" The fighters looked at Galeem as he flicked his wrist again, quickly thrusting Sonic's trophy base close enough for the blue hedgehog to stumble and fall. Once the blue hedgehog got up, he saw Galeem closer to him.

"Where is the pink puffball you call Kirby?" Galeem asked Sonic.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Sonic laughed, pulling on his cuffs. "If you even think about torturing me for information before I open my little mouth, go ahead. My lips are shut, and you won't get a single word out of me. Zip. Nothing." Galeem then snapped his fingers, calling forth another Master Hand. The Hand of Creation then used the lights protruding from Galeem to summon its Crazy Hand from its shadow, and the two Hands then grabbed Sonic's cuffed arms. A sudden shot of energy painfully and quickly traveled through the blue hedgehog's body, for both that Master Hand and Crazy Hand were linking their powers together so that they could electrocute the poor fighter. As Sonic was still being zapped and crying in pain, some of the fighters were attempting to break the chains to save the blue hedgehog.

"Monster!" Fox cried. "Let him go!"

"Have pity on us!" one Mii Fighter called out from the cages hanging up above. "Free us all!" A clamoring of Mii Fighters and the other warriors were speaking indistinguishable to be let go along with Sonic. Once Galeem had enough of watching the blue hedgehog suffer from the electrocutions of the Master Hand and Crazy Hand, the seraph then snapped his fingers again, causing the Master Hand to float behind the Seraph of Order and the Crazy Hand to disappear in the darkness.

"I'll ask you again, you miserable rodent," Galeem asked in a harsher tone, watching as Sonic was quivering while getting up. "Where is Kirby?"

"You know what?" Sonic panted. "I actually don't know. I guess I must've sent Kirby flying off so far not even you and I know where he landed, or even know if he did land at all. The only thing that matters is that he's the only known fighter outside of your grasp, and he's going to save us all, even Tabuu. Sure, the Construct God may be our mortal enemy, but you are using him as a means to call us all here, therefore making it so that he needs our help as well! You can't stop the ever-glowing light within us!" Galeem noticed Tabuu, who was bound in Chains of Light, sulking off and bowing his head in shame.

"Then I suppose I'll take the light from inside you and use its powers to turn you all against the pink puffball," Galeem spoke, flicking his wrist again to move to where Sonic was originally placed before. Once the blue hedgehog was placed back in the group of fighters, they all could simply watch as the seraph dragged Tabuu towards him.

"Do it," Galeem ordered Tabuu. "Use your Off-Waves. Revert all of the fighters in the room back to their trophy selves. Make the Mii Fighters one of the Subspace Army. That way, you can help me banish the Arcadian trophies' Spirits to exile and we can use their Smash Balls to make the Lock."

"The Lock?" Tabuu asked in a weakened tone. Galeem then rubbed one of his wings on the Construct God's back, chuckling.

"You know about the Lock, don't you?" Galeem answered in the form of a question. Galeem then lashed the Chains of Light at Tabuu, forcing the Construct God to float in front of the Seraph of Order. The warriors of the World of Trophies then suddenly felt the cyan rope winding around their bodies like serpents, tightening their coils and turning golden.

"It's just to ensure you that you belong to me now," Galeem spoke to the fighters as Tabuu spread his butterfly-like wings, gathering up energy. The fighters were terrified by what was about to happen, few of the warriors still struggling with their bondages.

"No matter-a what, we just have to stay together," Mario said to all of his friends. "Keep our hopes up… help-a Kirby save us in our greatest time of need… and reawaken the undying light…" As soon as Tabuu unleashed his signature move, a great vortex surrounded the Construct God, blinding all of the warriors and the Mii Fighters in a white light. The last thing any of the fighters remembered before feeling their bodies harden was the evil laughter of Galeem echoing through their minds…


Traveling at the speed of sound, Kirby was still holding on to the Warp Star he was riding on, shutting his eyes tight and never opening them, clinging tight to the photograph Sonic gave him. Just then, the pink puffball heard the sound of thunder rumbling in the distance. Kirby slowly opened up his eyes, seeing that he was traveling inside darkened clouds. The air felt chillingly cold as Kirby heard the roar of thunder again. A zap of lightning then struck near the Warp Star, startling the young Star Warrior. Two more bolts of lightning churned up in the storm cloud, keeping Kirby on his toes. After everything seemed calm high above the ground, a lightning bolt struck the Warp Star, causing the transportation vehicle to lose altitude. Crying in fear while tumbling from the sky, Kirby kept holding onto the Warp Star, eventually getting past the thundercloud. Once the pink puffball saw he was getting close to the ground, he quickly mapped it out and saw it was a barren wasteland with a few dancing colors that seemed so small Kirby could not even make them out as they quickly vanished just as fast as he discovered them. Kirby then quickly moved the Warp Star upward, making the crash-landing slow down at best. With a ram into the ground, the Warp Star quickly disintegrated into thin air, the collision course sending Kirby flying into one of the small, stony mountains. As soon as the pink puffball climbed out of the rocks that fell down on top of him after he crash-landed, Kirby looked at himself, noticing he was covered in stains of dust and dirt. The pink puffball then pulled out the photograph he still carried after all this time, looking at the friends he made ten years ago.

"…Poyo?" Kirby asked, noticing himself in the picture right next to Mario in the front. Just then, a drop of water landed on the photograph, collecting some of the ink imprinted into the photograph. A few more drops of water were landing on the photo as well, collecting a bit more of the imprinted ink. Kirby then suddenly looked up in the sky, noticing it was raining. The pink puffball then quickly inhaled the picture, instantly swallowing it before running off. Kirby was running around the barren wasteland, searching for his friends and calling out to them as the heavy shower of rain poured down on his soft, round body.

"Poyo!" Kirby yelled, running through the biome as the rain kept pouring. The pink puffball was tripping over small stones, battering and bruising his sensitive skin. Nonetheless, Kirby still kept moving forward, determined to find his friends.

"Po-yo! Poyo!" Kirby yelled again, calling out over the horizon, where there was a luscious green forest close to the barren wasteland. As the pink puffball kept calling out to his friends, the ground underneath him shifted and gave way, causing Kirby to fall down the cliffside. The young Star Warrior was being rammed into rocks, tumbling all the way down. After the fall, Kirby landed in a rather large mud puddle, covered in large scratches and cuts deep enough to cause his pink skin to bleed and get even redder. He landed next to the forest area, weakened and physically broken.

"…Poyo-poyo?" Kirby asked, the rain still pouring down upon his face. The pink puffball then suddenly felt memories return to him: remembering the adventure he went with his companions ten years ago, back when they were fighting against the Subspace Army, sharing what little knowledge they had left of each other.

Such great times.

"…Poyo-po…" Kirby whispered, his voice breaking. Tears built up in his eyes as he flopped his wounded, soaked body to the wet ground, starting to cry. The pink puffball then lifted up his head, sobbing as the rain kept pouring on top of him. The drops of water collected with the tears as they rolled down Kirby's face. Even though he was young, the pink puffball was old enough to understand the heartbreaking truth.

All of his friends were gone, and Kirby was the last fighter in existence.

Chapter 25: New Companions

Summary:

As Kirby walks around this strange world, he comes across a beautiful woman who has forgotten her past, a group of rogue Spirits defying Galeem's orders, and... a Piranha Plant!?

Chapter Text

As the rain slowly stopped throughout the night, the radiant sunlight shone down upon the pink puffball the next day. Kirby woke up to feel the light warm him up, but the light from the sun was not the same without his friends. Suddenly remembering them again, Kirby planted his face into the ground, sobbing into the shrinking puddle formed by his own tears. Just then, as Kirby was about to let another painful series of crying, he suddenly heard a voice. It was faint, but it was loud enough for Kirby to hear it as he stopped weeping. The pink puffball wiped his eyes, still strong enough to stand up straight by moving his wounded body.

Kirby slowly turned his head, wondering where that sound was coming from. It sounded like a woman singing, her voice like angels from on high. The pink puffball heard it again, noticing it was coming from deep within the forest. With whatever ounce of strength he had left, Kirby ran with his big, red feet into the luscious vegetation. The louder Kirby heard the singing, the closer he ran towards a certain direction. Eventually, the pink puffball managed to pass through a blueberry-coated bush, finding himself at a crystal-clear lake. Birds were chirping in the distance as Kirby looked around. There, sitting on a rock, the pink puffball managed to find the source of the singing: a black-haired woman with milk chocolate-colored skin bathing near the lake. The front of her naked body was hidden from Kirby's point-of-view as she scooped up a mixture of fruits and juices from a leaf a tad bigger than her hand, lathering it into her wavy locks. As the mixture was lathering into bubbles in the brown-skinned woman's hair, she was still humming with an angel's voice. Kirby, aroused by her beautiful singing, slowly crept up behind her, curious about who she is. Eventually, after Kirby got at least close enough, the woman turned her head to meet eyes with a round-shaped, pink, black-and-blue eyed puffball whose smile could warm hearts.

"Hai!" Kirby said, waving his stubby arms. With a terrified scream, the woman, her back still turned on the pink puffball, grabbed a rather large stick and whacked Kirby into a bush, not even realizing she slipped off the rock and fell into the water thanks to the force emitted from that swing. After Kirby managed to climb out of the bush, brushing off most of the sticks and twigs on him, the pink puffball suddenly noticed the stranger in the water, running to the rim of the lake in fear. As soon as Kirby saw soapy bubbles in the water, the brown-skinned woman quickly sprouted out from the water, gasping for air.

"Get away from me, you little demon!" the stranger gasped, still trying to swim as she shut her eyes, not even looking at Kirby. She then swam towards the rock she was sitting on, climbing onto it while covering herself. After wiping her eyes, she then opened them to see not a monster but instead a badly-wounded pink puffball that looks like he wouldn't even attack anyone.

"Oh my gosh," the stranger spoke, watching Kirby rub his little head with his stubby arms. "I am so sorry. I don't know what came over me. I just mistook you for another minion invading these lands…" Kirby merely looked at her, shaking his head while smiling. The stranger then hopped back into the water, swimming to a nearby bush to get herself dried up and dressed.

"Poyo-poyo?" Kirby asked, tilting his nonexistent neck.

"Hope you can accept my apology," the stranger said, rustling the bush's branches. "These lands are crawling with monsters nowadays. I can't even have peace without one stalking me…" Once the stranger climbed out of the bush, Kirby saw she was dressed in some sort of tankini outfit made out of stitched-together leaves, both pieces of the clothing covering her breasts and hips. The brown-skinned stranger then wrung her wavy black hair, flipping it back when she was done.

"Oh, I almost forgot," the stranger replied, forgetting something. Kirby watched as she combed through the bush, searching the branches for something, and the pink puffball didn't know what.

"Found it!" the stranger sighed in relief, pulling out some sort of heirloom. It was attached to a thin, brown rope, with a purple rounded gemstone fused to golden markings that somewhat resembled the Smash Ball. Kirby noticed the strange antique charm as the stranger tied the rope around her neck, making it snug enough so it doesn't choke her.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked, pointing at the thing the stranger put around her neck. The brown-skinned woman noticed where the pink puffball was pointing at.

"What? This?" the stranger asked, lifting up the charm. Kirby nodded, seeing as how this thing could be important to her.

"Oh, that," the stranger continued. "I've been carrying that thing ever since… ever since I could remember." Confused, Kirby slowly walked up to the stranger, watching as she sat down on the rock, feeling down.

"You see," the stranger told Kirby, "I have a very severe case of amnesia. I don't remember anything from my past, outside of waking up, cold and naked. This antique charm has been around my neck during that time, and for some reason, I can't part without it, even though I can take it off for personal reasons. I don't even know if I have a name…" Kirby was simply staring at her, wondering what she means if she can't remember anything, not even her name…

"Unless you have a good name to call me by, then I guess it's acceptable, as long as it defines me…" the stranger spoke. Kirby sat down a little and pondered, thinking about a good name for the black-haired, brown-skinned woman he found singing in the middle of a forest. Suddenly, he remembered Sonic talking about the Shadow Bug he found back at the Legacy, how he named it after one of his friends who was supposedly trapped as an Assist Trophy…

"Fa… fa… k… er…" Kirby stammered since he barely knew how to talk. Eventually, after a few seconds of practice, the pink puffball managed to spell it out correctly.

"Faker?" Kirby asked. The woman then sat down, thinking about the name the pink puffball called her. Then, she gave off a smile of approval, thinking that this name could be perfect.

"From now on, you get to call me Faker, okay?" the brown-skinned woman answered. Kirby then nodded, happy that he made a new friend. Kirby then took a small stick, attempting to print his name in a clear area of dirt. Kirby then finished writing his name that he managed to spell out: K-I-R-B-Y. The pink puffball first pointed at the name written in the ground and then pointed to himself so that Faker would notice.

"So your name's Kirby, right?" Faker asked. The pink puffball nodded again in response. Just then, Faker noticed how battered and broken the pink puffball looked.

"Oh my gosh," Faker gasped. "I don't know if I haven't seen before, but you are awfully hurt." Kirby looked at himself, noticing he was covered in the cuts and bruises he forgot he had.

"What happened?" Faker asked. "Did you get lost? A terrible accident?" Kirby then suddenly remembered the true reason why he was crying: because of what happened before the attack. Tears formed in the pink puffball's eyes, and he opened his mouth to drag out the photograph he kept dry inside himself with his stubby arms. Beginning to sob, Kirby handed over Faker the photograph, and the brown-skinned woman took a good look at it. Sure, some of the sides were watered out, but all of Kirby's friends ten years ago were all there.

"Is this the reason you are alone?" Faker asked, noticing Kirby whimper. Taking affection for the pink puffball, the brown-skinned woman knelt down and slowly moved closer.

"I understand," Faker answered, knowing Kirby's pain. "The reason why is because you're broken: both outside and inside. You miss your friends, like something terrible has happened to them." The pink puffball gently nodded, drops of tears rolling down his face.

"Oh, come here, you," Faker replied, holding her arms out. Kirby, sobbing dreadfully, ran into the brown-skinned woman's arms, weeping into her bosom.

"Let it all out," the brown-skinned woman spoke, her voice as sweet as a mother's, hugging Kirby. "You want to find them again. I can try helping you. You just have to believe they're alive…" Kirby then stopped crying after a while, wiping his eyes. The pink puffball nodded, getting up along with Faker.


Meanwhile, in an unknown, darkened area, Galeem was watching through a magical window, watching as Kirby was being comforted by the black-haired, brown-skinned woman he decided to make friends with. With one flick of his wrists, the Seraph of Order summoned forth his new and improved Mii Fighter army, every single one of them darkened in color and standing motionless, placed on a black opal tray. Different Spirits with and without rainbow auras, each one of them blue, green, yellow, and red in color, floated towards the petrified army and possessed each Mii Fighter, breathing life into them again as they moved their limbs. The Miis slowly opened their eyes, each one revealing glowing red irises as they jumped off, kneeling before Galeem. Laughing quietly to himself, Galeem held onto Tabuu's Chains of Light, tugging as the Construct God continued to resist.

"Are you thinking about what each of the fighters said, Tabuu?" Galeem asked.

"Millions of years ago, I wanted to create a world of my own, for the Master Hand of Arcadia is nothing more than a servant," Tabuu answered. "You overthrew me before lying to me that she was alive…" The Seraph of Order slowly levitated towards Tabuu, chuckling.

"But you were merely following orders," Galeem chuckled. "Now that I have arrived, you will know who your true master is around here. Do you understand?" Tabuu slowly nodded, followed by Galeem moving back to his original position. Just then, the glowing red Spirits with rainbow auras floated in as the seraph was watching Kirby being comforted by Faker. These glowing red Spirits involved Sephiroth, Infinite, M. Bison, and Morpho Knight, as well as hundreds of thousands of brand new faces in different colors and many even lacking the rainbow aura never seen before.

"You called us here, master?" Sephiroth asked.

"I summoned you all here for one simple task, and that task is bringing the warrior that summons my downfall to me, dead or alive," Galeem answered.

"We're rooting for you, boss," one of the Spirits spoke. "Now tell us: who's the little guy we get to take care off?"

"Look behind you," Galeem answered. The glowing red Spirits with rainbow auras looked behind themselves, seeing a brown-skinned woman comforting a pink puffball through the magical window.

"The one the woman's comforting is one of the fighters that has passed the Arcadian Master Core's test, going by the name of Kirby," Galeem continued.

"Who?" another Spirit spoke. "That pink puffball? Ha! He could barely even harm a fly!"

"But that pink puffball was the only one out of all his friends to escape my clutches," Galeem spoke. "Thanks to his beliefs that his friends are still out there, he'll regain confidence thanks to that woman he found, rescue his companions, and stop my reign. You are the only servants I can count on to put an end to this." Galeem then flicked his wrists again, and Dracula and a Rathalos walked into the room.

"The only reason why these two weren't transformed into Spirits was that I saw them fit bosses if my slaves fail me," Galeem answered. "For a few things to spice up this battle, I'm sending the only warriors that will be joining the Subspace Army again after a short time." With a snap of his glowing white fingers, a robed man walked into the room. He was coated in peacock feathers and the textures of his robes reflected the design, and the left half of his pale blue face was coated in gold. Alongside the elegant figure, Rayquaza, Rathalos, and Galleon, as well as the Werewolf and King Bulbin, all arrived in the room, fully remade and surrounded by an army of Master Hands floating in the air.

"Should I send in the fighters?" the robed stranger asked, towering with barely enough height to rival Dracula's.

"Of course, Balder," Galeem answered. With the bosses of the Subspace Army dragging forth a huge tray, the Mii Fighter army stood back as they looked at all of the trophies of the fighters. Each one of them looked like they were asleep, but their petrified forms were standing upright, fused to their separate trophy bases and golden rope wrapping around their bodies.

"The Supporters are to be born to follow the Primaries, just like they had always been," Galeem spoke. A swarm of Buckots flew into the air, each one of them not carrying red-hot melted iron but a golden liquid as smooth as honey. The Buckots then poured the golden liquid onto the warrior statues, drizzling them until a gray-colored warrior appeared under them. Once the replicas fell to the ground from the floating trophies, the Buckots created at least seven more for each fighter. After all eight for each fighter was gathered and aligned, rainbow-glowing Spirits all but the red color infused their powers with the False Warriors, giving birth to new life as the replicas opened their eyes to reveal glowing red irises. Each one of the rainbow-aura red Spirits, including Sephiroth, Morpho Knight, M. Bison, and Infinite, then floated to the frozen fighter that they enjoy the best, flying into the stone warriors on the trophy bases.

"Spirits, return to your vessels," the Seraph of Order spoke. A wave of his wrists summoned all of the Smash Balls he gathered from the fighters. A soft blow into each one of the Smash Balls caused them to float to their chosen warriors, infusing with the Spirits within and granting them a body of their own. The Galeem Lock flashed around each fighter's body, the form revealing to be the six wings the Seraph of Order held over his back. Once the ritual was over, the fighters started moving again, their stone shells crumbing off to reveal all of the legendary Arcadian warriors again. However, once they opened their eyes, their irises showed the gleaming red their Supporters bore.

"Thanks to the Galeem Lock, the Spirits with the help of the Smash Balls will now have a much easier chance of taking down Kirby and the Forgotten Resistance," Galeem spoke. Each one of the warriors jumped down from the floating trophy bases, the Spirits possessing the fighters' bodies looking at themselves in awe. Outside of the glowing red irises, it seemed like there really was not much of a difference for each of the warriors.

"The hidden abilities the Primaries still have are located within the Spirit," Galeem continued, the Mii Fighter army walking away from the dark area. "You will all find them in time. Until then, search the land. Separate if you have to. All that matters is that you bring the pink puffball to me so the world of Gallia can be complete." As the Mii Fighter army, darkened and possessed, walked out of the dark area, the Seraph of Order laughed in victory as his own troops from the World of Trophies assembled right before him, the Primaries each with eight of their Supporters. Tabuu, still cuffed and shackled, looked away in shame as he knew the course of action he had taken. Not just himself, but his entire Subspace Army in general, had fallen under the hands of this monster.


Somewhere, in the land of Gallia, Kirby was guiding his new friend Faker out of the forest she was located into a nice, green pasture. Holding the brown-skinned woman's hand in his stubby pink one, the pink puffball looked around, amazed by the new world he and Faker had set foot in. Kirby slowly felt his red, simplified feet sink into the soft grass, looking at the clear blue skies dotted with wave-like clouds. The landscape was humongous too, revealing plains, forests, deserts, islands, volcanic ground, icy wastelands, and futuristic ruins as far as the eye could see. Kirby sighed in grief. How was he going to find all of his friends on this huge planet? Faker then patted the pink puffball's back, knowing it was going to be okay.

"We'll find them," Faker said, looking down on Kirby. "I'm sure we'll find them all. We just have to be patient. That's all we really need…" Suddenly, Kirby heard some rustling in a nearby shrub. The pink puffball looked to his left, noticing that it had just moved. Driven nuts over curiosity, Kirby ran over to the shrub, leaving a confused, black-haired and brown-skinned woman.

"Kirby?" Faker asked. "Where are you going?" The brown-skinned woman followed Kirby into the shrub, watching as he continued deeper into what appeared to be a wild garden. She saw that the pink puffball was attempting to search through the shrub but could not find anything but a spiked ball. Faker noticed that Kirby ran off deeper into the flowery area. Afterward, the two of them had stumbled upon an abandoned greenhouse. The glass roof was dirtied and broken, allowing vines of flowers to climb out like it was a jungle. Flower pots and gardening tools still stood around, untouched by the sands of time as dust collected on them.

"Maybe this was some sort of mistake," Faker asked Kirby, who was still looking around for the noise he had heard. "We should probably go back the way we came…" The pink puffball then suddenly heard another noise, this time coming from within the greenhouse. Pulling out a flaming hammer, Kirby swung the weapon at the locked door, bursting it open from the outside. Once Kirby put away his hammer, he hopped in, seeing what secrets the old building had to offer. After he and Faker slowly walked in, Kirby suddenly noticed lying on top of the greenhouse's rubble was a plant. However, it was not just any plant, as it had a rounded, red-skinned head with white spots, only having a large, pointed mouth with white lips on its front. Its body was a long, green stem, with two stubby roots at the end which supposedly served as feet. Battered and bruised, the plant-like creature lay on top of the debris, growling in pain. Kirby managed to carry the plant by the stem, with Faker stepping outside so that the pink puffball could nurse it back to health.

"Poyo-poyo-po," Kirby said, searching through the gardening tools for something to help the poor creature. The pink puffball managed to pull out a brown flower pot, filling it near the brim with fertilized dirt. Faker then pulled out a hand shovel, digging a little hole in the center. Kirby carried the plant-like creature to the flower pot, helping Faker place its stubby roots in. Once the two of them managed to cover up the plant's bottom, the brown-skinned woman got ahold of a watering can, pushing a pump's handle. Even though the pump was rusted, it still managed to spurt out clean and clear water. After Faker filled the watering can at a certain point, she stopped pumping, with Kirby helping her carry the tool to the wounded plant. After a few seconds of pouring water into the flower pot just right so the dirt was nice and moist, the plant-like creature quickly sprung to life, shrugging off its wounds and sprouting two large leaves at the area of its body closest outside of the flower pot.

The creature began snapping and growling, causing both Kirby and Faker to jump a bit. Its two stubby roots had their tips sticking out from beneath the flower pot, helping the plant to stand up. However, since it was still quickly healing itself, he could only snap at them with its jagged white teeth.

"Geez, that thing is feisty," Faker stammered. "That plant's merely just… biting at us like a piranha. Don't you think so, Kirby?" However, Kirby slowly walked over to the plant-like creature, curious at the thing. The thing snapped and snarled, shrugging off more of its wounds, as Kirby carefully approached the plant-like creature. The pink puffball then slowly placed his stubby hands on the plant-like creature's forehead, trying to calm the carnivorous flower down.

"Poyo-poyo-poyo-poyo, Pi… piranh… ha… Pl… ant?" Kirby stammered, staying self-confident as he kept holding his stubby arms to calm the vicious plant down. The creature was beginning to shake its head, but the pink puffball tried taming it as Faker simply stood back and watched, amazed by how Kirby was handling the new creature they both discovered and saved. Kirby then carefully lifted up the flower pot the carnivorous plant was settling in, showing it to Faker.

"Seems like you made a new friend," Faker said with coincidence. "What do you think you're going to name him?"

"Piranha Plant," Kirby cooed, with the plant-like creature jumping out of the pink puffball's stubby arms with his two leaves. The carnivorous flower snapped and growled at Kirby's answer for a name, nodding for a fact that he seemed to like it.

"You wanna call him Piranha Plant?" Faker asked. "I honestly don't see anything wrong with that…" Piranha Plant then growled friendly, knowing not only was it defined as a "him", but he was also given a name for the first time. Just then, the Piranha Plant suddenly perked its head, twisting towards a direction he heard. The carnivorous flower started growling and biting at said direction, and both Kirby and Faker noticed where he was looking at. The Piranha Plant then started moving with its two stubby roots hiding underneath the flower pot, walking past the abandoned greenhouse into the darker side of the area. After Kirby and Faker stopped following the Piranha Plant, the trio discovered they were somewhere in the wild garden where the flowers looked much darker in color and the sun did not shine as much. That was when the brown-skinned woman and the pink puffball found the carnivorous plant lurching down, snarling at something. Kirby moved the Piranha Plant aside by pushing his flower pot, eager to see what is it that ticked the plant-like creature. There, on the ground, without any sudden notice, was merely a small flower with a face. He had a green stem with yellow petals, and he had one of the most adorable smiles you could find.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked the Piranha Plant. While the carnivorous plant was snapping and growling, Faker grabbed the two fighters and pulled them close to her. The yellow-petaled flower just stood there, acting merely harmless.

"Oh, hi," the flower spoke with a rather high-pitched voice. Both Kirby and Piranha Plant both walked away from the brown-skinned woman, alarmed by this talking plant.

"My name's Flowey," the small flower said as he introduced himself. "You're probably wondering what I'm doing here. Well, you seem curious about where you're at."

"We're talking to a flower," Faker whispered to herself. "Either we must be on the wrong side of the planet or I'm completely numb."

"Rules can change here in the newfound planet of Gallia, the World of Spirits," Flowey spoke. "Only a select few are assigned to keep their bodies once Lord Galeem says so." Kirby rubbed his cuddly pink face, confused by all this, since Flowey didn't really have a glowing, semi-transparent body. Piranha Plant, on the other hand, merely barred his jagged teeth, growling.

"What's this guy's problem?" Flowey asked, turning his attention towards the plant-like fighter. Faker then grabbed Piranha Plant's flower pot, trying to calm the carnivorous flower down.

"It looks like he doesn't trust you," the brown-skinned warrior answered for the Piranha Plant. "The rest of us are not really sure, since you don't look all that harmless…"

"I completely understand," Flowey spoke, Kirby speculating the strange talking flower.

"You see," Flowey continued, "I get so lonely sometimes, since I'm rooted to the ground and never really go anywhere. So barely anyone visits me. I just like to answer a simple question: would you like to be my friend?" Kirby kept looking at the small flower, pondering with an answer as he scratched his head. He then looked at the snarling Piranha Plant in Faker's arms, confused.

"I don't know if we should really trust you," Faker answered. "Besides, we just met, we don't know anything about you, and already Piranha Plant is snarling with no reason. I get it that he probably can't talk…"

"Come on!" Flowey objected. "I've been so lonely ever since I was just a seed. The least you could do is accept me into your little group…" Kirby then looked at the Piranha Plant, who was still snarling and biting, trying to squirm out of Faker's arms. The pink puffball then instantly remembered the reason why he and the brown-skinned woman found the carnivorous flower in the first place. The fact that the Piranha Plant was wounded answered everything: this area was a trap. Kirby, terror on his face, stammered and turned his head towards Faker and the Piranha Plant. Terrified, Kirby ran towards the brown-skinned woman and grabbed her hand, making her drop the carnivorous plant as it quickly sprung up again. The pink puffball, with all the strength that remained from those terrible wounds, attempted to drag Faker out of here.

"What is your problem, Kirby?" Faker asked, the Piranha Plant running towards the pink puffball. When Flowey heard the brown-skinned woman call the fighter Kirby, his lips curled into a deviating smile, knowing something the other three didn't. Once Faker turned her head towards Flowey, the small flower then put on his usual smile again, pretending like nothing happened.

"Excuse us for a brief moment," Faker chuckled, watching as both the Piranha Plant and Kirby were dragging the brown-skinned woman by the arms away from Flowey back to the abandoned greenhouse.

"Hey!" Flowey called out. "Where you going? Don't leave me all alone!" When the trio were just reaching to the nearest shrub in the lighter side of the garden, a thorny vine instantly stuck out from the ground, slashing. Faker was scared out of her wits, holding onto the heirloom around her neck, while both Kirby and Piranha Plant turned around to see Flowey again. He was looking down on the mossy forest floor, a demon's smile on his face.

"You… don't want to be my friend…?" Flowey asked, this time in a raspy voice. Both the two fighters and Faker were trembling at the small yet dangerous-looking flower, his yellow, rounded petals suddenly shifting into a sharpened form. Flowey's roots then forced themselves out of the ground, allowing the small flower to crawl towards the tiny group of adventurers. Black, void-like eyes shined through Flowey's face as thorns and smaller flowers instantly popped out on his stem. The demonic flower was then growing larger in size, eventually becoming so tall that he was literally towering over them.

"Not that it really matter with your decision," Flowey continued, with Faker trembling and both Kirby and Piranha Plant looking at the monster, ready to attack.

"I also forgot to tell you: I was assigned by Lord Galeem to look for a certain pink puffball named Kirby, one of which was looking for his friends to bring them back and overthrow our Gallian leader," Flowey continued in that raspy voice of his. "Which is why I ask you again: will you be my friend?"

"Attempt to take this poor creature against my will?" Faker objected, holding on tight to Kirby. "Use him so that your lord and his followers can dominate this planet? No! We will never be your friends!"

"Are you sure…?" Flowey asked, tilting his head. "You know you are rejecting me, and you know how much I hunger for rejection. You can say it feeds me, gives me strength..." With a laughter that can scare even the most terrifying of monsters out of Tartarus, Flowey, with a deep breath, blew a swarm of white pellets around the adventurers, surrounding them with nowhere to go, not even above is safe. Faker, Piranha Plant, and Kirby were trapped.

"DIE…" Flowey growled, causing the pellets to close in on the trio. Just when it was all over for them, a blast of aqua-colored lightning surrounded the pellets and instantly disintegrated them with a small explosion. Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker then looked around, noticing there was something that disrupted Flowey's attack.

"What!?" Flowey snarled. Just before he was about to react, a white-coated wolf with flaming markings on her coat jumped in, biting through the tough skin in Flowey's stem. Just when the demonic flower tried shaking the white wolf off, she then hopped alongside the three adventurers, pulling out a strange, mystical paintbrush from her back, which was protected by some sort of stone plate with ancient markings. Jumping high into the air, the white-coated wolf with flame markings painted a horizontal line in mid-air, which instantly attacked Flowey with a mighty slash. As soon as the demonic flower stumbled back upon himself, some sort of wise magician walked up next to the white-coated wolf. This strange being resembled a lot like a Mii, with the long, gray hair, green eyes, gray glasses and all, resembling an elderly person. Her hooded robe was thick and white, fading into blue and/or turquoise on the ends of her arms, legs, and hood's inside. She was carrying a jeweled staff coated in silver, spreading her arms out with an angry expression on her face and generating aqua-colored lightning, standing half as tall as Faker.

"You leave these travelers alone!" the sage spoke, with the white-coated wolf growling alongside her and wielding the paintbrush she used to attack Flowey. Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker were shocked by what just happened, and they simply stood back and watched a robed sage teaming up with a white-coated wolf with mystical, godlike powers, the both of them fighting against a demonic flower.

"Hmph," Flowey growled, looking at Kirby with soulless eyes. "You may have one this round, kid, but I'll be back, and it ain't gonna be pretty!" Burying back into the ground, Flowey vanished from the area, and the adventuring trio were surprised by what happened. Both the wolf and the sage turned towards Piranha Plant, Faker, and Kirby, recognizing who they saved.

"You… you helped us," Faker stammered. "Who even are you two?"

"Where are my manners?" the sage answered. "I go by a lot of names, but you can simply call me the Great Sage. The wolf by my side is Amaterasu, reincarnation of the mythical goddess of the sun on her planet." The white-coated wolf stretched in a downward arch, her flame-like markings flowing across her fur, yawning after that intense battle with Flowey.

"So you must be the pink puffball all of Gallia is searching for at this point," the Great Sage spoke, pointing her staff at Kirby. "You have to be careful next time, for there are many traps set across the planet, ready to capture you when you least expect it…" Faker then suddenly noticed both the Great Sage and Amaterasu were semi-transparent and lacking the rainbow aura, but they were still Spirits, nonetheless. The Great Sage was green all over, and Amaterasu was a bright yellow.

"You're both… Spirits?" Faker asked.

"Of course we are," the Great Sage answered, stroking the white-coated wolf's mane. "However, we are completely different as we are just plain Spirits. Even though we can pass through solid objects, we can also interact with this world at will. We also noticed the main reason why that Piranha Plant was wounded was because of the one who introduces himself as Flowey." The Great Sage then suddenly noticed the sky growing darker, watching as a black-red storm-cloud formed in the sky.

"Come on," the Great Sage said, grabbing Kirby by her left arm. "There's no time to explain everything. We have to head back to our base when the Shadow Bugs rain from above." Amaterasu used her muzzle to bite and hold onto Piranha Plant's flower pot, carrying the fighter towards the Great Sage, who was running towards a different direction from the abandoned greenhouse. Faker then suddenly noticed the Shadow Bugs raining from up above, running towards the two fighters and Spirits.

"Wait up for me!" the black-haired, brown-skinned woman called out, adjusting her takini uniform and tightening up the charm around her neck a bit as she ran back to the group.

Chapter 26: The Undying Light

Summary:

The Spirits that had rescued Kirby, Faker, and Piranha Plant brought them to their ship, which they took shelter in. Even with a group of new friends, Kirby still feels alone without his old ones...

Chapter Text

After minutes of walking up a mountain, trying to take shelter from the Shadow Bug storm, Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker followed the Great Sage and Amaterasu to what appeared to be a small sky pirate ship, linked to land by a wooden bridge. Lanterns filled with fireflies were stringed alongside its rusty hull, and its air-powered engine in the back of the ship was producing a bit of smoke but still functioning fine. A glowing blue, semi-transparent, half-sized Spirit was hovering in the air thanks to a rather large balloon tied to his back. Once he put away the binoculars he was carrying, noticing the two Spirits returning with survivors, he popped the balloon on his back, sticking a rather nice landing on the deck despite having fallen from a pretty tall height.

"Kooloo-limpah!" the Spirit asked Amaterasu and the Great Sage. "Who dares pass through the borders of the Forgotten Resistance!?"

"It's us, Tingle," the Great Sage sighed, keeping Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker close to herself.

"Prove it, intruders!" Tingle yelled. "What's the secret password?"

"We had no secret password ever since we found this ship," the Great Sage replied. "You should have remembered it, unless you're an idiot…"

"Oh!" Tingle replied with a joyous expression. "I guess I kinda forgot. Please, do come on board. We were just departing." The five travelers then walked across the wooden bridge onto the deck just in time, for the ship slowly pulled up the wooden bridge and lifted off into the air, away from the mountain and the black-red storm cloud.

After what felt like a minute, the rusted ship was outside of the Shadow Bug storm in no time, floating high above the land while underneath the clouds and the afternoon sun. While on the deck, Faker noticed both Kirby and the Piranha Plant run to the sides of the ship, amazed by how big the World of Spirits truly was. The brown-skinned woman then walked next to the two fighters, looking at the view from up above.

"Wow," she said with a breathtaking voice. "I've never been up this high, and already I'm terrified of this height…" The Great Sage then waved her hand, getting the attention of Piranha Plant, Kirby, and Faker.

"Now, if you want to take a tour around the Undying Light, feel free to do so," the Great Sage told the trio, with Amaterasu nuzzling her face into the Mii mage's robe.

"I can be your guide around here," Tingle spoke up, hopping up and down. "I can give you a little advice on what's what and who's who." Later on, the three adventurers were following Tingle through the ship. Just then, a semi-transparent, glowing-blue Mabu pilot named Flynn arrived on the scene.

"Hiya, Tingle," Flynn spoke. "Mind if I take over for a while and join in with the others to help fix us dinner? I've been driving this thing and I haven't eaten in hours."

"Can do," Tingle answered, saluting the tall Mabu pilot. Tingle then ran off, leaving Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker with Flynn.

"Afternoon, new recruits," Flynn spoke. "My name is Flynn, and I'll be your substitute tour guide around the Undying Light." The Mabu pilot then walked off, with Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker walking with him.

"As you can see here," Flynn continued, walking through the power rooms where everyone was fixing and cleaning, "this ship may not look like much, but we love calling it a home. We've got all sorts of Spirit friends for you to make, like Professor E. Gadd, working on the boilers…"

"How are you doing?" E. Gadd spoke, wiping the ashes off his glowing-blue elderly face.

"We've got Sticks the Jungle Badger…" Flynn continued, pointing at a glowing-green, anamorphic, brown-coated badger that looked like she was a friend of Sonic's, searching for wrenches and bolts in a rather large toolbox.

"What's good!" Sticks cheered, waving her hand as she continued searching through the tools.

"We've also got a few several others, waiting to meet you on the ship," Flynn continued, Faker amazed by the small crew while Piranha Plant and Kirby looked around.

"Flynn!" a British voice spoke out from the only hole up to the cock pit. Jumping down without using the ladder was a semi-transparent, glowing-red woman, a purple wig on top of her head and an electric guitar behind her back.

"Enough with the lollygagging and get back to swabbing the deck," the woman spoke with a rather strong accent, tossing the Mabu pilot a mop and soapy water-filled bucket. "We've got to make this ship presentable for our guests, since they'll be staying for a while…"

"Aye-aye, Captain Barbara!" Flynn spoke, saluting her. After the Mabu pilot ran off, the three adventurers looked at the glowing-red Spirit, though she wasn't surrounded in that rainbow aura like all the others.

"Sorry for intrusions," Barbara spoke. "My name is Barbara the Bat, and I suppose Flynn showed you around parts of the ship?"

"We were just getting acquainted," Faker answered. "After all, the Great Sage and Amaterasu helped bring us on board…"

"Truly a woman like you is too revealing, especially with that… thing… on," Barbara objected, noticing the clothing Faker was wearing. "Jill!" A small, glowing-green, pink-haired girl climbed down the ladder to the cock pit, ready to accept orders from the guitarist.

"Take the black-haired stranger to the room where she'll be staying in," Barbara told Jill. "Afterwards, get her a presentable uniform and some hot food…" The glowing-green Spirit nodded her head, walking with Faker to the brown-skinned woman's room.

"Be careful, Kirby!" Faker called out to the pink puffball. Afterwards, both Kirby and Piranha Plant turned their attention towards Barbara, ready to learn more about the ship they're on.

"Anyway, I suppose I'll introduce you to the rest of the crew," Barbara spoke as both the Spirit and the two fighters walked around the ship.

"I'm sure you've been acquainted with people like Tingle and E. Gadd," Barbara spoke, followed by Piranha Plant and Kirby nodding.

"The rest of the gang shows us with common Spirits like Saki Amamiya, the Excitebikes, Kat & Ana, Mr. Resetti, Ray MK III, Magnus, Infantry & Tanks, Elec Man, Kururin of his own vehicle Helirin, and Lakitu with his Spines," Barbara continued. "This airship may not look like it, but it's fitting all of these members in here, with us Assist Trophies as commanders, as well as a few select others…" Kirby and Piranha Plant each rubbed their heads, confused when Barbara introduced herself and most of the Undying Light's crew as "Assist Trophies".

"I suppose I should explain all this," Barbara continued. "You see, back during the accident at the Yggdrasil, all of our prisons have been broken, giving us a chance to escape. However, unlike few of our friends, none of us had the chance for another fighter to hold up our trophy bases, so all that remained were our, well, Spirits. When Galeem arrived on the scene, he took control of us, forcing us to do his bidding. Some of us escaped and formed the Forgotten Resistance, but the rest were not so lucky, including all of those summoning Pokémon…" Kirby shook his head, suddenly realizing that so much has changed around here.

"Well, as you can obviously see," Barbara continued, "we are just normal Spirits. In this world, there are four classes of Spirits each person is ranked to, according to Galeem's rule – Novice, the blue-colored, Advanced, the green-colored, Ace, the yellow-colored, and Legendary, the red-colored. Each four of these classes is ranked from weakest to strongest, and what defines them is whatever powers they grant. However, Spirits are also split into two categories: Normal and Master. The Normal Spirits, as you can see, physically interact with the world around them, and can even pass through solid objects at will, even if they are lacking a body to complete them. The Master Spirits, on the other hand, are identified with the rainbow auras around them. They are basically the same as the Normal Spirits, but they can only interact with the world around them through possessing a vessel. Some of the citizens of this world have reported to seeing Master Spirits take full control over different living things, though we have only been able to find out so much about the Novice, Advanced, and Ace Master Spirits. The more powerful a vessel, the higher chance a better-ranked Master Spirit has of possessing said vessel. The Normal Spirits can combine powers with the Master Spirits, granting the living vessel bonus items and immunities. However, we don't know anything about the Legendary Master Spirits, outside of the fact that they simply… exist, even though we don't know who or what they're possessing, but that's all we know for now..."

The dinner bell suddenly rang, and all the Spirits gathered around with the only two fighters on the resistance. Tonight's special was thankfully a bowl of Superspicy Curry, which was also Kirby's favorite outside of the Maxim Tomatoes, and Tingle was serving it up. As the Spirits were dining on the delicious food, with the Helirin pilot, Kururin, outside of his vehicle, the Piranha Plant was also enjoying the meal, lapping it up and spilling some of the hot dinner on himself. While the Spirits were laughing with the Piranha Plant making a mess out of himself, Kirby simply sat there, depressed, not even touching his food. Sticks noticed the pink puffball wasn't eating and noticed that she could try helping cheer up the fighter.

"Aw, come on, you little goofus!" Sticks said with a cheery voice, pinching Kirby's red cheeks. "What's getting you down?" The other Spirits noticed Kirby was sad, with the Piranha Plant even attempting to find out what's going on.

"You think the little guy is alright?" Flynn asked.

"It's probably his first time here," Barbara answered. "He must be homesick."

"Highly doubt it," the Great Sage objected. "The Piranha Plant sure is having a good time hanging out with us."

"Then it must be because of the little guy getting lost," E. Gadd spoke.

"Think that kid was kicked out of whatever club he belonged in," Mr. Resetti answered.

"Maybe it's the fact that no other place was good enough for him," Magnus guessed.

"Or a terrifying monster came out of nowhere and attacked him," Kat answered.

"It could be," Ana agreed. "My twin sis and I can obviously tell by the wounds Kirby is sporting…"

"Or maybe it's because of the fact that this little pink puffball here was the only one to escape from a dreaded event that involved his friends going mysteriously missing or even killed, making him all alone in this big, empty world?" Sticks asked. The other Spirits were shocked by the final answer the jungle badger came up with, especially Kirby and the Piranha Plant. Tears then swelled up in the pink puffball's eyes as soon as he suddenly remembered what happened to his friends. Sobbing over the fact that he's all alone, Kirby placed his stubby arms over his eyes, jumping off his seat and running out of the dining room. Faker, who was walking in just in time, felt a crying Kirby run past her as she went to meet with the other Spirits.

"What's wrong with him?" Faker asked, the black-haired, brown-skinned woman fully dressed in war clothing. Her uniform looked like it was made out of an opal dragon's hide, with her cape shaped out of the reptilian wings. Her boots and gloves resembled the claws, and she was sporting the horns attached to her head. On the side of her waist, a long sword shaped out of a dragon's tooth hung by her side, and she was still wearing the charm she had before.

"Kid's crying after Sticks guessed what happened," Barbara explained.

"What?" Sticks asked. "It was a lucky shot… wasn't it?" Faker then sighed, sitting down in Kirby's seat. She then pulled out the photograph Kirby had with him, sliding it to the middle of the table.

"This is the main reason why he's on the ship," Faker replied. The Spirits looked over the table, noticing the picture was taken ten years ago thanks to the fact that the permanent marker reading "Smash Bros. 2008" was printed clearly on the paper. The picture showed off most of Kirby's friends during that time, and the Undying Light's crew understood what was going on.

"It just isn't the same without his friends," Faker continued. "He misses them so much that I even see him cry over them…" The Spirits then looked at each other, wondering what they could do to cheer up Kirby.

"It's settled," Professor E. Gadd finally spoke up. "First thing tomorrow morning, we'll be preparing the new members of the ship with the best equipment we could come up with, dropping off Kirby and his companions onto the land of Gallia, assisting them once they're ready."

"I agree," Barbara spoke. "Let's get started, asap." Agreeing in unison, the Spirits were shaking hands with each other, along with Faker taking the photograph with her outside of the room. Meanwhile, the Piranha Plant noticed the brown-skinned woman walking off to her assigned bed, thinking about the pain Kirby was going through. Amaterasu, who was laying down on the floor this whole time, gnawing on some fresh elk meat, looked at the carnivorous flower. Shaking her head, the white wolf then pointed her muzzle at the door, signifying the Piranha Plant to follow Faker. Walking out as soon as the Spirits left the dining room, the fighter walked out with Amaterasu, traveling through the steel halls in the cold of the night.

As time had passed, Faker was asleep in her room, the dragon armor off her as she was only shown in a white tank top and shorts. While the brown-skinned woman was dozing off heavily, she was suddenly hearing voices as her charm suddenly started glowing with rainbows.

"This is terrible," one voice spoke. "The fact that we're forever cursed to roam this multiverse in exile while Galeem's men do terrible, unspeakable things to our bodies is killing me."

"I agree with you right there," another voice spoke. "Hopefully Kirby knows what to do in time."

"Speaking of the pink puffball, I may not be the only one who believes he's going to bring us back," a third voice replied. "I know it. We just have to buy him time. That's all we really need..." Faker then slowly woke up to those sounds, wondering who's in the room with her. As soon as she turned her head to the left side of her body, she silently gasped in horror as she saw the friends Kirby was referring to: Mario, Link, Fox, Marth, Sonic, Cloud, every fighter that was with Kirby at one point. All of these memorable characters have become Fighter Spirits: semi-transparent warriors that have kept their original form and color but are surrounded by a rainbow aura. As Faker looked at Kirby's previous friends, she noticed they were levitating a few inches off the wooden floor, talking to each other.

"I can't live like this anymore!" Zelda cried. "We can't do anything to stop this monster! Every minute that passes by feels cold… and dead…"

"Dead!?" Luigi exclaimed, terrified. "Dead!? I don't wanna die! I never wanted to die!" The Fighter Spirit then hugged Link, sobbing dreadfully into the Hylian's blue tunic.

"If there's anyone to blame for our downfall, it's me," Sonic sighed, rubbing his head. "I should've been the one to get away and attempt to save you guys. Instead, I let a young fighter, who's still acting like a baby, force him to save all of us." Meta Knight then patted the blue hedgehog's back, comforting Sonic.

"Your kindness still shines through, making you sacrifice yourself for Kirby," Meta Knight objected. "You made the right choice…"

"Like I told everyone," Mario said to the Fighter Spirits, "we all have to stay together. We've got to help Kirby keep pushing forward."

"Hey!" Cloud Strife spoke out, noticing a trembling Faker sitting on the bed. "Someone's in this room, and she can see us."

"See us?" Link asked, pushing away Luigi for a brief moment. "Nobody can see us, not even the Spirits themselves. That's impossible… for anyone…" The Fighter Spirits were shocked as they saw Faker noticing them, the charm around her neck gleaming bright in rainbow colors.

I can see them, Faker thought to herself. Are they ghosts or something? No… It can't be… Surely Spirits like that don't just appear out of nowhere… do they? Just then, Mario's Fighter Spirit floated towards the brown-skinned woman, attempting to greet himself and the rest of his friends.

"How do you do?" Mario introduced. "I'm…" However, before the red plumber could finish, Faker just simply fainted on the bed, terrified. The charm around her neck reverted back to its usual dark purple color, and Mario's Fighter Spirit floated away once her world went dark.

"Nice job, dick-face," Zero Suit Samus sarcastically said, her arms placed on her hips.

"I swear this isn't my fault," Mario objected, floating back to the rest of the gang. "No one else can see us, so the best we can do is convince her that we're not just figments of her imagination."

"And help her encourage Kirby to get us back and prepare for the true final battle?" Ryu asked.

"Precisely," Mario answered. "The best we could do until then is wait… and hope." Once the Fighter Spirits vanished, all that remained on the only bed in the room was an unconscious, brown-skinned woman, not aware of the charm twinkling with tiny rainbow stars on her neck.

Chapter 27: A Greater Adventure Begins

Summary:

When Faker suddenly sees the Spirits of the other Super Smash Brothers, she decides to comfort Kirby and tend to his wounds. Once morning arrives, the small group prepares their journey into the unknown.

Chapter Text

Once an hour or two had passed, the Piranha Plant walked into Faker's room. There, he saw the brown-skinned woman passed out on her bed. Amaterasu then pointed her muzzle at Faker, encouraging the carnivorous flower. The Piranha Plant shook Faker's body, instantly waking her up.

"Wha… what happened? Was I dreaming?" Faker asked herself, sitting up on the bed. She saw Piranha Plant next to her side, with the Spirit of Amaterasu at the door frame. The Piranha Plant then took hold of Faker's hand with his two leaves, trying to get her off the bed.

"Okay, okay," Faker replied, sitting on the side of her bed while putting on two white bunny slippers. "I'm coming, but only because you said so…" After Faker stood up, the Piranha Plant walked with her and Amaterasu up the ship to another room.

Once Faker was about to knock on the door, she looked down on the Piranha Plant, with the carnivorous flower nodding. As soon as she looked back, the photograph in her hand, Faker knocked on the door.

"Kirby?" Faker asked, knowing the pink puffball was assigned here. "It's me, Faker." However, the door would not open as she heard sobbing from behind the steel door. The Piranha Plant then pushed open the door for the brown-skinned woman. There, in the dim light of an oil lamp on a small table, in a series of beds laid next to each other, Faker saw Kirby in his chosen bed, crying into a pillow.

"Kirby?" Faker asked, her golden eyes twinkling as she approached the pink puffball. When Kirby heard her, he lifted his head, revealing a large puddle of tears stained on the pillow's fabric. Piranha Plant merely watched from a good distance, trying to understand what it is the pink puffball was forced to go through.

"This is about your friends, isn't it?" Faker continued. "Whatever it is, you can tell me…" Kirby then slowly reached out to the oil lamp, twisting the handle so it began glowing brighter. After setting the oil lamp back on its desk, Faker and the Piranha Plant looked on the empty wall to be shown Kirby and all of his friends, all drawn from crayons and paper cut-outs. They were posing in their battle forms, all of them laid out on a futuristic platform. Even though Kirby's artwork was mainly crayon scribbles on sheets of paper, this was the first time the pink puffball drew something as beautiful, especially on the walls. Inspired, the Piranha Plant took out whatever paper and crayons were left laying on the floor, alongside some tape and scissors, drawing and coloring away.

"Did you… draw all this?" Faker asked, amazed. In tears, Kirby slowly nodded, wiping his cuddly face with his stubby arms.

"This is amazing," Faker replied, her golden eyes filled with wonder. Shortly after, Kirby began crying again, sobbing into the brown-skinned woman's lap.

"Shh… it's okay," Faker hushed the pink puffball. "Don't cry…" Kirby stopped crying after a while to understand what the brown-skinned woman was trying to say.

"If you can draw this beautiful poster covering the wall, with everyone back together at last, you can save your friends," Faker continued. Sobbing a bit louder, Kirby continued crying, drops of tears flowing down his face. Faker then kept rubbing the pink puffball's back, feeling the wounds and dirt stains Kirby had before.

"It's alright," Faker hushed, calming Kirby down. "While we wash you up and patch you, do you want to hear a song?" The pink puffball then looked up, hiccupping as he looked at the brown-skinned woman with watery eyes.

"It's the song that I was singing back at the lake. I call it… Lifelight," Faker continued. "Even though it was merely just humming, I've managed to learn the lyrics by heart, even though I can't remember how. Would you like to hear it?" Kirby gently nodded, hugging Faker tight as she carried him off the bed. The song that Faker was singing to Kirby, the lyrics went a little something like this:

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

When Faker set Kirby down, the brown-skinned woman took out some heated rocks lying on a dimming fire with pliers, carefully dropping them into a wooden tub. She then took Kirby, gently placing him in the tub while still singing.

On that day, when the sky fell away

Our world came to an end

In our eyes did a fading sun rise

In the dark glimmering shadows

Silence grows, in the spaces between

Stretching out beyond time

Rising up, as a chorus of souls finds a voice

Flickering through the void

While Faker was still singing, she took out a special mixture, scrubbing Kirby's wet body. As the mixture was lathering, the dirty stains on the pink puffball washed off. The warm, soapy water was starting to sting Kirby's wounds, but he withstood the pain as he kept listening to Faker's heavenly song.

These little sparks cling on to life

Everyone caught in the struggle

And then the storms of change, they fan the flames

Scattering ashes to the wind

Once all of the stains were washed off Kirby, Faker then took the pink puffball out of the tub, taking a soft towel and rubbing his cuddly skin dry while she kept singing.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Gleaming faintly as it dwindles from sight

No escape, no greater fate to be made

In the end, the chains of time will not break

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

Once Kirby was perfectly dry, Faker set up the pink puffball on a stool, uncovering the deep gashes that looked so nasty not even bandages would fix it. The brown-skinned woman then took out a sewing needle and transparent thread, holding Kirby in place.

As fate spins a thread without end

New life draws its first breath

Blossoming in a soil reclaimed from the past

Where destiny holds fast

Here where we stand, hand clenched in hand

Everyone caught in the struggle

This is the day we finally find our way

Stepping into our tomorrow

During Faker's beautiful singing, the brown-skinned woman was gently stitching the large wounds on Kirby's body. The pain on the pink puffball's skin was great, but the pain in his heart was greater still as he kept holding in his tears. As soon as Faker was finished stitching Kirby's wounds, she took out the white band-aids, sticking them onto Kirby's smaller cuts and scratches.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Growing louder as it calls to unite

From the distance sings a chorus of  souls

Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

As soon as Kirby was all patched up, he was starting to become sleepy during the lullaby rendition of Faker's song. The last thing he managed to hear were the last lyrics of her angelic voice.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Growing louder as it calls to unite

From the distance sings a chorus of souls

Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distant sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

Once Faker was finished singing, she laid the pink puffball onto his assigned bed, watching as Kirby silently wept himself to sleep. Tears built up in the brown-skinned woman's golden eyes as she looked at the photograph Kirby took with him. She knew that her song Lifelight was heartbreaking when she found out what happened to Kirby's friends. Faker then dimmed the oil lamp to an almost-nonexistent flame, pushing it closer to the wall as she laid the photograph on the small table, quietly walking out of the room with Amaterasu. The Piranha Plant was listening to Faker's song this whole time, deeply moved by it despite the fact that he doesn't have any visible eyes or ears. He was finished drawing a brand-new cut-out for the poster Kirby drew on the wall, and it looked a lot like himself in his battle stance, which was just as exquisite as the rest of the colored fighters. The carnivorous flower then taped himself to the poster, realizing that just because he's not one of the greatest warriors of all times doesn't mean he can't be a part of the family of fighters. As Piranha Plant sat next to the poster, watching Kirby peacefully sleep, it wasn't long until the carnivorous flower himself dozed off in the flower pot he was stuck in this whole time.


Morning arrived, and the Undying Light was still soaring through the air thanks to the auto-pilot engine. The Normal Spirits were the first to wake up, fixing up the ship with some of the supplies they brought on board. Faker then woke up afterwards, slowly walking into Kirby and Piranha Plant's room. The brown-skinned woman was fully dressed in her opal dragon uniform, and she took off her glove to put out the dimming oil lamp and stroke the pink puffball's soft body. The Piranha Plant was the first to wake up quickly, shaking his rounded red head. Kirby then slowly stirred up, turning his head to look at Faker.

"Had a good night's sleep?" Faker asked. Kirby nodded, rubbing his eyes. When Kirby looked at himself again, he noticed all the wounds covering his body were gone.

"The soap I used instantly heals the toughest of wounds overnight," Faker replied. "You'll be able to rescue your friends again in no time…" Kirby then hugged Faker again, with Piranha Plant watching the two embrace each other in comfort. The pink puffball slowly opened his eyes, giving off a faint gleam like everyone else did before. The gleam was instantly warping around Kirby's eyes, leading into a cross off-center. Only Piranha Plant noticed it too, and he suddenly felt his jagged teeth gleam the same pattern as well. After Faker opened her eyes again after the hug, she suddenly saw the charm around her neck was gleaming with rainbow colors again.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked, both he and Piranha Plant noticing the brown-skinned woman losing her focus. In her golden eyes, she saw the Fighter Spirits again, simply floating in the room and watching her and the two fighters.

"I see them," Faker answered. Kirby was wondering what she meant by that… until he took a look at the poster on the empty wall. The pink puffball then quickly turned around, anxious. However, once he saw behind himself, there was nothing in the room but beds lined up with beds.

"…Poyo?" Kirby asked again, with the Piranha Plant looking in the direction the brown-skinned woman was looking to.

"I swear I see them right now… in this room with us," Faker objected. "All of your friends are right here… with us…" Just as soon as she looked up again, she too saw nothing, and the glowing charm on her neck faded back into the usual violet color.

"Poyo?" Kirby asked, a small tear building up in one of his eyes. Faker then sighed, with the Piranha Plant walking towards her on the bed's side. The brown-skinned woman then got up, lifting Kirby off the bed.

"Nothing," Faker answered, sighing with grief. "Let's just… get yourself prepared. You're gonna be dropping off soon…" The three travelers then walked out of the room, leaving a beautifully decorated room and a photograph ten years old on the small table next to Kirby's bed.


After a filling breakfast, Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker were outside on the deck, meeting up with Captain Barbara, the Great Sage, Amaterasu, Flynn, Sticks, E. Gadd, and the only remaining Assist Trophies that managed to escape from the events of Gallia's birth.

"Listen up, new cadets," Barbara spoke. "Since you are apparently on a rescue mission, we'll be recruiting you with the best gadgets we could come up with. Once you've learned to use them wisely, you might just get the hang of learning more about our main enemy." Grabbing some sort of disk from E. Gadd's lab coat, Barbara the Bat tossed it onto the wooden floor, revealing a hologram of some sorts. The hologram was a picture of a UV sphere surrounding a humongous black hole.

"Far off into the central north is the Northern Barrier," Barbara continued. "It's where the gateway to the Gallian Void awaits, and where Galeem's true form resides. This task might sound easy to just going through the gateway and defeating the Seraph of Order, but it's impossible to do so since the barrier itself is impenetrable. Legends have stated that the only way to break the barrier is to defeat his followers currently visible in the World of Light, those of which have been marked with his Lock. Once all of the Locks are broken, only then can you reawaken the Smash Balls of legend and prepare for the final battle."

"However," Barbara continued, "this land is infected with many of Galeem's servants, especially the Subspace Army. Spirits left and right are being enslaved under his power, with mainly the Master Spirits forced to possess his vessels for enhanced skills and mainly the Normal Spirits to assist with special abilities. Each Spirit is different, so be careful who you go up against. There are still many secrets we haven't learned yet, so how you play Galeem's game is entirely up to you." Barbara then turned off the hologram disk and gave it back to E. Gadd before taking three, watch-like devices from him. The Legendary Spirit then passed each one of them to the three travelers – Faker putting one on her wrist, Kirby trying another up to his stubby arm, and Piranha Plant looping one more around his stem near his flower pot. The devices each had one big red button in front of the travelers' wrists.

"These special kinks are designed to program how you fight," E. Gadd spoke. "We'll be monitoring whatever you do up here. One press of their buttons per second allows you to communicate from down below, two presses per second alerts us that a baddie is nearby, and three presses per second automatically or manually allows us to transport you back onto the ship. Is that clear?" Faker, Kirby, and Piranha Plant nodded, ready to go. Shortly after, a drop-off plank stuck out on the right side of the Undying Light, signifying the trio to go off. Just when they set foot on the plank, Flynn ran right up to them.

"Almost forgot to give you three something," the Mabu pilot panted. Afterwards, Flynn handed Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker each a folded-up glider.

"Use it once you're all close to the ground," Flynn continued. "When you land on Gallia's surface, you don't wanna look like a pancake…" Once the Mabu pilot stepped away, the brown-skinned woman, the carnivorous flower, and the pink puffball walked near the rim of the plank. Looking down from hundreds of feet high in the air, Kirby then suddenly remembered what Sonic said to him back when Galeem was attacking the fighters.

"Whatever you do, don't lose the memories we had together… not as friends, but as family," Sonic's voice spoke out in Kirby's memories. The pink puffball's eyes began to turn watery again when he kept getting flashbacks to the past, remembering all of his friends possibly getting killed.

"Godspeed, you little curbstomper…" Sonic's voice read out again, Kirby trembling in place as he stood on the edge of the drop-off plank, a tear shedding from his face as he remembered crying out to the blue hedgehog and everyone else he cared about. Just then, Faker placed a hand on Kirby's nonexistent shoulder, followed by Piranha Plant stroking Kirby's back with his leaf.

"We'll be there for you," Faker told Kirby. The pink puffball then wiped the tear from his face, looking back at the Spirits that were ready to see them touch the land of Gallia again.

"There is also a riddle spoken to me, and I want you to remember it: Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock. Remember this message, okay? It might help in the future..." That was the last message that was spoken to Kirby by Sonic the Hedgehog, and the pink puffball never forgot every single word. With a deep breath, Kirby held on tight to his fold-up glider, jumping off the Undying Light with the Piranha Plant and Faker.

Chapter 28: What's Going On

Summary:

Upon arriving at Gallia, Kirby and his team come across their first Supporter, or puppet fighter. It's not long before they try to make sense of the world they're in.

Chapter Text

After jumping off the Undying Light, Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker were falling through the clouds, looking at the huge world from up above. It was gonna be a hard task for finding all of Kirby's friends, but the pink puffball knows he can do it. Just when the three adventurers were about to hit the ground, they all pulled out their gliders. They unfolded as soon as the gush of wind flew into them, slowing down their descent. Once Faker, Kirby, and the Piranha Plant touched the ground gently, they put away their gliders. Just then, Faker's watch-like device started beeping. Pressing the button once, the brown-skinned woman clad in dragon armor heard the voices of the Spirits up in the ship they were just on before.

"Captain Barbara to newcomers, can you read me?" Barbara spoke, the thin line on the button's screen spiking up and down in all directions.

"We hear you, loud and clear," Faker replied.

"Just a heads-up we'll be tracking you through those watches," Barbara continued. "If our technology is correct, you should have landed on top of a small hill…" And right they were. Kirby and the Piranha Plant looked around, noticing they were on the peak of a dirt mound just a few feet larger than any of the three warriors were, and there was a brown pathway spiraling downward on the green grass.

"Be careful down there," Barbara continued. "If ever you need any help, remember that one button press a second on your device allows you to communicate with us, two presses alerts, and three gives us access to teleporting you back to the Undying Light. You got that?"

"Got it," Faker answered.

"Okay," Barbara replied. "Good luck. And you too, Kirby. We're all counting on you to save us, both you and Piranha Plant." The button on Faker's wrist stopped glowing, and it was the chance to begin the real adventure.

"Let's do this," Faker spoke, pulling out her dragon's tooth sword. With a strict nod, Kirby and Piranha Plant were already amped up for battle. Starting from the top of the hill, the three adventurers traveled down the dirt path, spiraling down to the roots. Once they were at a flat landscape, they noticed the grassland was merely empty as they kept following the trail. Kirby then suddenly noticed a strange figure, waiting behind the tall shrubs. Confused, the pink puffball tugged at Faker's tunic, encouraging her to look in the same direction he was pointing to.

"What is it, Kirby?" Faker asked. The brown-skinned woman then noticed what Kirby saw: a dark figure lurking behind the shrubs in the sunlight. Moving his neck up, Piranha Plant snarled and growled at the stranger, his teeth barring. The figure merely stood there, not even moving.

"Perhaps we should go," Faker objected, holding her sword with both hands. Kirby, on the other hand, grabbed her by the wrist, pulling her with him close to the strange figure. The Piranha Plant followed shortly after, and the three of them were now walking towards this peculiar person. Just then, as Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker walked right in front of the figure, they were able to identify it as being half the height of Faker, wearing a cap and overalls, reminding Kirby of someone very familiar, despite wearing monochromatic, black clothing.

"Ma… ma… Mario!" Kirby stuttered, running towards the still plumber. The pink puffball was just about to give the plumber a hug, but both Faker and the Piranha Plant suddenly felt like what's going to happen next.

"Watch out, Kirby! It's a trap!" Faker yelled, Piranha Plant running towards Kirby with his stubby roots hidden under the flower pot. It was suddenly too late as the figure that looked like Mario suddenly grasped Kirby by his nonexistent neck, almost choking the pink puffball. The ground suddenly started rumbling, and some sort of large platform emerged fast as it flew into the air. The Piranha Plant was the only one to grab onto the ledge with his two big leaves, while Faker merely tumbled back upon herself thanks to the heavy rumbling, causing her to just look up and watch.

As Kirby was struggling against the strong grab, gasping for breath, the Mario figure slowly opened his eyes, revealing only the vacant red light within his irises. The Piranha Plant quickly climbed on, and the stage's environment drastically changed. There was some sort of special barrier forming around the three fighters, and the insides of it started changing into some sort of wild forest, with peculiar creatures that looked like they were from the world Olimar visited, and the stage itself shifted into a Battlefield form, with giant leaves serving as three platforms and vines twisting around the solid ground on the stage. It was the Distant Planet stage in Battlefield form.

The Mario figure clothed in black then threw Kirby right in front of Piranha Plant, but the carnivorous flower managed to dodge and catch the pink puffball in time with his mouth. Kirby hopped back onto the stage, standing next to the Piranha Plant. The Mario figure walked up towards the two fighters, and Faker watched everything from up above even if the invisible UV sphere barrier was blocking her from reaching up to Kirby and Piranha Plant, pressing the button on her device twice to alert the Spirits back on the airship.

Kirby first pulled out his signature hammer, setting it on flames as the Mario figure ran towards them. With a mighty whack, the pink puffball managed to land a hit on the warrior, but the figure jumped behind himself, setting his fists on fire and clenching his teeth. The Piranha Plant quickly shot his stem out of his flower pot, attempting to bite the Mario figure. Alas, the possessed warrior jumped out of the way in time, leaving the carnivorous flower open. The black-clothed Mario figure then suddenly transformed his body into a metallic coating, granting him increased super armor and damage over jumping power and speed. The possessed fighter then began grabbing the carnivorous flower into a headlock, strangling the Piranha Plant.

As the Piranha Plant's head was glowing yellow while the metal Mario figure kept strangling him, purple-ish liquid flowing from his mouth, Kirby instantly pulled out the sword lent to him by Sir Kibble, preforming the Final Cutter technique. The Mario figure's metal coat suddenly vanished, and the pink puffball had his chance to slice upward and end with a powerful downward slash, followed by a short-distance projectile. The Piranha Plant, feeling himself free from the black-clothed plumber's grasp, then managed to spew out a nasty poison projectile, toxic enough to damage the enemy warrior's shoulder. Reverting back to his normal red color, the Piranha Plant then jumped into the air with Kirby, attempting to attack the black-clothed Mario figure again.

Once the Mario figure shifted into a metal coat again, he was also slow enough for Kirby to grab him from behind, allowing the Piranha Plant to bite at the possessed plumber. Once the two fighters racked up enough damage from the team-up, the Mario figure suddenly shifted back into his normal form, allowing Kirby to generate a strong throw from behind. After flinging the possessed warrior behind himself, the pink puffball watched with the carnivorous flower as the Mario figure was flung towards the UV barrier surrounding the stage, instantly zapped to death the moment he touched the background of the Distant Planet stage. The barrier suddenly exploded in a mass of glowing confetti, a mass of rocks of what used to be the stage suddenly falling down as Faker quickly ran out of the way. The Piranha Plant landed on the ground next to the brown-skinned woman, but Kirby was simply floating in the air, watching the black-clothed Mario he just defeated now collapse into a liquid golden mess, transforming into Shadow Bugs and floating away into the grassland. What remained was now a glowing-blue Smoky Progg Spirit, the Normal Novice kind in particular. As Kirby's friends saw that the pink puffball could not move or allow himself to be rescued from whatever situation he was in, the Smoky Progg Spirit then generated a magical barrier around itself.

A strange gun coated in gold and gleaming with rainbow flames suddenly generated in Kirby's stubby hands, causing the three adventurers to become very confused by what was going on. The barrier then opened a slit gap horizontally across itself, spinning on its horizontal axis fast. Terrified, Kirby did not know what to do with the weapon he was suddenly given for whatever unknown reason, but the only thing Kirby could move in the position he was stuck in was his nonexistent finger on the gun's trigger. Quickly turning away and shutting his eyes, the pink puffball fired a pretty lucky snipe at the Smoky Progg Spirit, instantly breaking the barrier. Kirby then suddenly felt himself free again, the gun in his hands vanishing and the pink puffball slowly floating down to his two friends.

"What the hell just happened!?" Faker asked, caring for Kirby's health. Even the pink puffball did not know what was going on as he rubbed his cuddly skin. The Smoky Progg Spirit then floated next to the three adventurers, floating right into Faker's charm on her neck. Both Kirby and Piranha Plant turned their heads towards the brown-skinned woman, and she had no idea what happened.

"It just… went right into my heirloom," Faker replied, both she and the two fighters wondering what happened after the fight. Just then, the devices on each one of the three adventurers started beeping, and Faker immediately pressed the button on hers.

"You were alerting us," Barbara spoke. "What happened?"

"We found some sort of warrior," Faker answered. "It looked like one of Kirby's friends, but… different somehow…"

"Each one of you press the buttons on your devices three times," Barbara continued. "You all will be back on the Undying Light shortly while they leave behind a beacon for you to teleport back to later." Once the transmission ended, Faker then pressed the button on her device three times, fading into blue as she ascended into the air and warped out of the area. The Piranha Plant pressed his device three times with his long tongue, following after Faker. Kirby did the same to his device on his nonexistent shoulder, and the three warriors were back on the ship, leaving behind a tiny metal ball what served as the beacon Barbara talked about. The three warriors were all on the airship's deck, trying to get used to this new form of transportation. Barbara then walked up towards them from the cockpit, followed by E. Gadd and the Great Sage.

"Pray tell what was going on," Barbara spoke, the glowing-red Spirit taking the fold-up gliders and watch-like devices from Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker.

"It's going to be hard to understand, but please try to pay attention," Faker answered.

"We'll try," Barbara replied, giving the tools to the glowing-blue E. Gadd. "It's the least we could do, since we need to know everything about Galeem and what his plans are…"

"Well," Faker continued, "it went a little something like this: We were following the dirt path spiraling down the hill we landed on, leading to a wide grassland at the roots. Just then, we met up with a mysterious stranger that looked a lot like the Mario person Kirby addressed. However, before we even touched this Mario, the ground shifted, and both Kirby and the Piranha Plant were trapped in some sort of stage surrounded by an invisible barrier, fighting the Mario figure that was changing into metal at some points in time. Eventually, Piranha Plant and Kirby defeated him, but Kirby was suddenly caught in midair as the enemy fighter disintegrated into golden liquid and then Shadow Bugs, leaving behind a Normal Novice Smoky Progg. A strange gun coated in gold and rainbow flames generated in Kirby's hands, and the fact that he couldn't move except pull the trigger scared him. The barrier surrounding the Spirit had a wide opening and it was spinning fast too. The moment Kirby pulled the trigger on the strange gun, the pink puffball managed to snipe the Spirit and free it as well as himself, and the Smoky Progg suddenly went into my charm. This all sounds crazy, but that's what really happened." Taking a deep breath, Faker was panting after spewing out all of that information. The Great Sage, E. Gadd, and Barbara all looked at each other, thinking about what the brown-skinned warrior just said.

"We… seriously can't answer all that in just one day," Barbara replied. Faker nodded, understanding the situation at hand.

"We might figure out a little more, but first you're going to have to eat up and meet up at where you dropped the beacon in five minutes," Barbara continued, noticing Kirby and Piranha Plant were both tired. "The two fighters you're partnered with are exhausted…" The brown-skinned warrior nodded, walking with the pink puffball and the carnivorous flower to the dining table. Barbara then turned her head towards E. Gadd and the Great Sage.

"This sounds serious indeed," the Great Sage said.

"I know," Barbara continued. "As soon as our little trio is ready to go, we'll try monitoring everything they do and help look for their friends. Kirby is our last chance off this planet. If he can't do it now, then he can't do it ever…"

After a filling meal, Faker, Piranha Plant, and Kirby met up with the three Normal Spirits from before, this time partnered with Sticks, Saki, Amaterasu, and Magnus.

"During your little break, some of the Spirits and I on this ship decided to put our heads together and add a few tweaks into those gadgets of yours so you won't need those gliders," Barbara spoke, handing the three adventurers back their watch-like devices.

"When you press each of the buttons three times, they will automatically teleport you back to the beacon left on Gallia," Barbara continued. "However, the beacon vanishes once you arrive at its location, so be careful. We'll try watching out for that little incident you had before with this… Mario person, okay? Keep them on their toes." Kirby nodded, slipping his device on his nonexistent shoulder. After the Piranha Plant and Faker put on theirs, they were all ready to go after all that grub fueling them up during their break.

"Good luck, comrades," Barbara finished, she and the Spirits waving at the three adventurers as they glowed blue, fading downwards to the beacon that was placed in their last location. Once Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker touched solid ground again, the beacon they left behind vanished as stated before, leaving the trio still on the dirt path in the grassland.

"You okay down there?" Barbara asked over the transmitters.

"We can still hear you," Faker answered. "It's just really queasy trying to get used to teleporting to and from your ship…"

"Just continue down the path you're on," Barbara advised. "It should be no big deal. Whatever you find, you could find some clues to your missing friends, or maybe enemies like the Subspace Army and hostile Spirits…"

"Understand," Faker said. "Over and out." The transmission ended, and the brown-skinned woman clad in dragon armor ran off on the path leading to a forest with Kirby and Piranha Plant.

Chapter 29: Another Spirit Worth Saving

Summary:

After Kirby, Faker, and the Piranha Plant head back to the planet's surface, they start getting more confused about the rules of Gallia.

Chapter Text

Traveling through the thick forest, Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker were keeping their eyes peeled, listening for any dangers close by.

"I just don't understand," Faker said, the pink puffball and the carnivorous flower walking up to her. "I thought the crew back at the ship said that only the Master Spirits can possess vessels. I didn't know the same applied to Normal Spirits, but it probably just doesn't apply to only those that were rumored…" Kirby nodded, staying close to the brown-skinned warrior and Piranha Plant. Since the forest was covered in prehistoric vines, the three adventurers did not know what to expect in the darkness. Just then, Kirby noticed another figure lurking behind the bushes. The pink puffball tugged on the dragon armor-clad warrior, anxious to meet this creature.

"Remember what happened last time?" Faker asked. "You were nearly killed when we encountered these creatures. I'm going to alert our Spirit friends about this just so they can get a good overview of who we're up against." Pressing the button on her device twice, Faker was about to alert to Undying Light crew before looking up. The figure in front of the trio vanished without a sound.

"Keep your guard up," Faker said, unsheathing her sword. Kirby and Piranha Plant held their nonexistent fists clenched in front of their faces, looking around in the darkness while still staying on the path. Suddenly, Faker felt something snag her tunic, and the rest of her body soon followed. Something grabbed her, and it was carrying her away. Crying for help, the brown-skinned woman struggled against the mysterious figure holding her hostage, forcing Piranha Plant and Kirby to chase after their target. The two were following the mysterious figure straight down the path they were on, running until they were out of the forest. As Kirby and the Piranha Plant stepped onto another grassy field, they saw right in front of them was Faker, her hand reaching for that sword of hers. Clasping onto her tight was the strange figure, appearing in the form of Yoshi.

"Yoshi!" Kirby cried, the Piranha Plant licking his teeth. The Yoshi figure holding Faker hostage was much smaller and coated in blue, his gleaming red irises explaining everything. He was one of Galeem's minor servants. Once the blue Yoshi let go of Faker, she was gasping for breath, panting as Kirby and Piranha Plant ran to her side. The blue Yoshi then began yelling his kind's howl, calling for reinforcements. Running out of two large boulders on each side of the path were a red Yoshi with Superspicy Curry breath, and a yellow Yoshi equipped with a Screw Attack and a Super Leaf, both of them the same small size as the blue one. Once the three puppet Yoshis united, the ground shook again, with a huge, peculiar pillar shooting out with Faker, Kirby, and Piranha Plant with them. Another UV sphere formed around the stage, creating some sort of crayon drawing of a paradise island. A tilting platform emerged from the stage, transforming into the crafted style the pillar took. The three adventurers were on the Yoshi's Island stage, and they were facing against the blue Yoshi and his reinforcements.

The red Yoshi ran towards Faker, fire spewing out from his little mouth and red eyes gleaming bright. The brown-skinned woman began counter-attacking the flames with her dragon-tooth sword, lashing at every opportunity. Just then, a Pokéball spawned in the red Yoshi's hands, and the puppet fighter threw it on the ground. An Eevee appeared, starting to use its Tackle move. It did not seem like much, but Faker was getting whacked around in the knees by the Pokémon while she was slicing at the red Yoshi.

The Piranha Plant watched the yellow Yoshi flying through the air, spinning in an electrical ball with the Screw Attack and waving his raccoon-like tail from the Super Leaf to float in the air. The carnivorous flower then shot up a gust of air, with a spiked ball to go with it. Once the yellow Yoshi was gliding down in front of the dancing flowers and the Fly Guys, another Pokéball in his hands, Piranha Plant blew the spiked ball at the puppet fighter, knocking the yellow Yoshi to his feet. Not even the Eevee summoned by the yellow Yoshi did any justice to one of Piranha Plant's powerful attacks: which involved the carnivorous flower tucking into his flower pot before instantly shooting out with an outstretched stem, biting at the yellow Yoshi.

Kirby had his hands full of fighting the small, blue Yoshi, putting the puppet fighter into a jab lock. Rapidly throwing a series of punches, Kirby finished with a blow to the blue Yoshi's head, knocking the puppet fighter off the stage. However, a Blarggwich spawned underneath the blue Yoshi, providing him with a good shot of recovery. The blue Yoshi was about to throw another Pokéball which contained another Eevee, but Kirby dash-attacked with the Burning Leo's ability into the puppet fighter, transforming into a burning ball of flame right before snatching the Pokéball out of the blue Yoshi's arms.

Faker jumped out top of the tilting platform, but Eevee merely forced her to keep a steady balance as it hopped on, its weight moving the platform. The red Yoshi's Superspicy Curry breath was gone, allowing Faker a chance to avoid the summoned Eevee and follow up with a devastating hit. The brown-skinned woman then jumped over the Pokémon, leaving Eevee confused before it mysteriously vanished into thin air. Once she managed to avoid the Yoshi Bomb from the red Yoshi, she followed with multiple slashes from her dragon-tooth sword, giving her time to finish the puppet fighter and knocking the red Yoshi out. Once the small, red Yoshi touched the UV sphere, electricity shot out of its body, causing the puppet fighter to transform into a gleaming white orb.

The Piranha Plant also noticed the small, yellow Yoshi lost its Screw Attack and Super Leaf power-ups, allowing the carnivorous flower to counter-attack. Spinning its two leaves after jumping, Piranha Plant whacked them rapidly into the yellow Yoshi, sending it flying off fast. Once the yellow Yoshi fluttered in midair to get back to the stage, the Piranha Plant stomped with its flower pot, knocking the yellow Yoshi straight down into the blast zone of the UV sphere, transforming the puppet fighter into another white orb. All that remained was Kirby against the small, blue Yoshi.

The pink puffball jumped into the air, using his stone ability to fall on top of the blue Yoshi. Whatever the puppet fighter did, Kirby quickly reacted against it, proving the young Star Warrior had the upper hand. The blue Yoshi then shielded, but it was quickly broken with Kirby's fully-charged hammer attack. After the puppet fighter's red eyes became dazed after his shield broke, Kirby finished the small, blue Yoshi off with a powerful kick, sending the puppet fighter to the blast zone where he transformed into one more white orb. The stage and the UV sphere then vanished, causing the three travelers to land on their feet once they jumped off. After the Yoshi's Island stage disappeared, the three orbs of light that were once the three small Yoshis fused together, creating a Yoshi colored in blotches of red, yellow, and blue.

The Spirit that emerged from the combined puppet fighters was a Normal Novice Eevee, just like the Pokémon that were summoned from the Pokéballs that were randomly generated, and the puppet fighters disintegrated into Shadow Bugs, drifting off into the wind. This time, the Piranha Plant found himself floating in midair, the rainbow-glowing golden gun appearing in its two large leaves while Kirby and Faker could only watch. The barrier surrounding the Eevee Spirit began spinning, distracting the carnivorous flower. However, with enough confidence, the Piranha Plant pulled the trigger, sniping the Spirit first try. The barrier vanished, and the Novice Normal Eevee Spirit flew right into Faker's charm again. The golden gun vanished in Piranha Plant's leaves, and the carnivorous flower felt himself drop to the ground, free somehow. He noticed Faker looking confused, so he ran towards her to try and see what just happened.

"Poyo-poyo?" Kirby asked, both he and Piranha Plant looking at the brown-skinned warrior in question. Faker merely shook her head, rubbing her eyes.

"Why is it the Normal Spirits?" Faker asked, clasping over her charm. "And if so, why do they fly into MY heirloom whenever you guys defeat them?" Faker then suddenly saw that necklace of hers gleaming in rainbows, and both Kirby and Piranha Plant noticed it too. The brown-skinned woman then suddenly looked up, seeing the Fighter Spirits right in front of her. However, when Kirby turned around after noticing she was staring off into the distance, he saw nothing but fresh green grass on the field next to the dirt path they were still on. Kirby then looked back at Faker, shaking his head in sorrow.

"…Poyo," Kirby replied, tears in his eyes. Faker then noticed the rainbow-glowing charm is what gives her the ability to see the Fighter Spirits, all of it making sense somehow. Taking off the jewel located in her charm, its golden Smash Ball symbol still present, the black-haired, brown-skinned warrior handed the gemstone to Kirby, leaving only behind a golden chain necklace.

"Here," Faker said, placing the gemstone in Kirby's stubby hands. "Take this. I think it's what's causing me to notice your friends. It could probably apply to you too. Keep it safe for me, okay?" The pink puffball nodded, Piranha Plant looking at Faker in confusion. Popping the rainbow-glowing gemstone with the Smash Ball symbol into his mouth like a hard candy, Kirby swallowed the gemstone, aware that he can take it out of his body at any time. A brief flash of the Smash Ball symbol then flashed in his eyes, and the Piranha Plant felt his teeth get the same gleam too. After Kirby opened his eyes, he and the carnivorous flower both saw all of the fighters that stood side-by-side with him during Galeem's attack, levitating in midair and glowing in a rainbow aura. Only Faker did not notice.

Finally happy again, Kirby ran in joy towards the Fighter Spirits. However, when he was just about to give at least one of them a hug, he simply felt himself pass through them like a ghost. Looking at his stubby hands, Kirby then turned his head to see his friends looking down on him in sadness.

"I'm afraid you can't even touch us," Link said. "After Galeem created his lock, we were all banished to exile, unable to reunite with our bodies and join you on our own." Kirby merely stepped back, his pink body trembling. The Piranha Plant then placed a leaf on Kirby's back comforting the pink puffball.

"It looks like swallowing the gem from that female friend of yours has earned you and your new companion the ability to at least see us again," Simon replied, noticing the carnivorous flower that was with them this whole time.

"When we're out here, cold and dead, we at least obtain the memories we had before as well as the memories of our backstory and homeland," Palutena spoke. "That stone you swallowed seems to hold more powers than just seeing us."

"You gotta get us back to our bodies so we can kick Galeem's butt!" Sonic cried. "You can do this, little curbstomper."

"We believe in you," the Mii Brawler answered. "With that gem, you can try calling one of us and we'll see what we can do to assist you." Kirby then got up, nodding with determination written all over his face.

"Go out there and give those Spirits what you've-a got," Mario said. "Free the residents of this world from that monster and return them back to their homeworld to reunite with their bodies. We'll always be there for you." Turning invisible, the Fighter Spirits disappeared from the grassy field, leaving Kirby and Piranha Plant alone with Faker.

"Well?" Faker asked. "Are we going or what?" Kirby and Piranha Plant looked back on the brown-skinned woman, ready to fight again.

"Perfect," Faker continued. "Now then, let's get out of here before any more of those things show up." Suddenly, before she took another step, a black-red cloud loomed in the sky, violet thunder rumbling from up above. The ground started quivering again, though the vibrations were coming from behind the three adventurers. Looking back, the group found Shadow Bugs raining from above, creating Shaydas and Boom Primids riding on Armanks, Towtows, Roaders, and Shellpods, followed by a swarm of Auroros and Armights. Riding alongside the minor Subspace Army members were the possessed Mii Fighters with special steeds, and they were not just special. They were apparently the Velociraptors from the Cascade Kingdom found in Mario's world, and their riders were carrying some sort of net piloted by Floows. As the dinosaur stampede and Galeem's Subspace Army ran towards the three travelers, Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker were all ready to flee. Kirby and Piranha Plant grabbed ahold of Faker's arm, pulling her with them as they kept running on the path away from the incoming enemies.

The three fighters were just on the rim of some ancient ruins before the Floows teleported right in front of them, tossing the black net onto them and weighting it down. Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker kept struggling through the net as the raptor steeds and the Subspace Army closed in, surrounding them. Faker tried cutting through the net, but it was no use. The ropes were thick and tight. The Armights and the Auroros flew in, stabbing at the three travelers while the stampede was slowly closing in on them. Just when they were about to electrocute Kirby, Faker, and Piranha Plant with a special prod, they suddenly heard roaring coming from the entrance to the ruins. Knowing about what was to happen next, both the Subspace Army and the Mii Fighters rode off down the path in the opposite direction the three adventurers were traveling down, and the Floows flew off too, leaving the net unguarded.

After Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker pulled off the black net, they looked towards the entrance to the ruins, watching as another dinosaur stormed up right in front of them. From that mighty roar it emitted, the three travelers noticed it was a Tyrannosaurus Rex, but it sported Mario's mustache and red cap. Its eyes gleamed red, merely staring at the two fighters and their female companion as it crouched down. Pulling up his nonexistent fists, Kirby knew who the first fighter was he has to deal with.

Chapter 30: Mr. Video Game Himself

Summary:

Confronting their first Primary, which is a fighter under control by Galeem, Kirby and his team soon learn about the truth of this world through a vision.

Chapter Text

The t-rex with Mario's cap and moustache loomed over Kirby, Piranha Plant, and Faker, its red eyes gleaming bright. Saliva drooled from its sharp teeth, and the three warriors were trembling. The dinosaur then tilted its head towards the now-clear sky, letting out a mighty roar. Its moustache and cap then vanished, causing the dinosaur to fall unconscious. Jumping in front of the three adventurers was none other than Mario, with his standard colors and all. The gleaming red color shined through his irises, however, and Kirby suddenly knew that his friend is alive.

"You insignificant fools!" Mario spoke, though his voice was completely different. Both Faker and Piranha Plant were ready to fight this foe, but Kirby looked at Mario like something has changed about him.

"What are you looking at?" Mario asked, the red plumber noticing the pink puffball giving him a peculiar look.

"You're probably wondering who's inside your precious Mario's body," Mario's new voice continued. "Let's just say that I'm an old 'frenemy' of his, going by the name of… how should I say it…? Oh yeah! Exor! Exor's my name!" The Spirit inside Mario's body revealed himself to Faker, Piranha Plant, and Kirby, flashing a small image on the red plumber's chest. It was revealed to be a Legendary Master Spirit, with Exor shaped like a sword with a dragon-like face on the hilt and a monster skull on top. The image disappeared, leaving only Mario with glowing-red eyes in front of the three adventurers.

"This doesn't make any sense!" Faker objected. "How can you take Normal Spirits and put them in vessels?" Exor simply laughed, straightening his cap.

"I would like to tell you, but I don't wanna force-feed you exposition just to waste my time," Exor answered. "Right now, I've got personal business to deal with this little pink puffball…" Exor then grabbed ahold of Kirby, dragging him away from his two friends while the pink puffball squirmed. The Piranha Plant was about to bite him, but Exor snapped with Mario's fingers, and two golden bird cages formed around each fighter. Both Faker and Piranha Plant tried bending the bars, but to no avail. A strange vortex formed around Mario's body, Exor's voice laughing as he grabbed on tight to a struggling Kirby. Afterwards, both Kirby and Mario vanished, leaving both the Piranha Plant and Faker stuck in golden cages.

Kirby then slowly stirred up, noticing the ground was different, like hard black opal. Strange patterns leading to the center were pulsing red, and on the side was some sort of futuristic platform sticking out of the ground, a blue halo swirling behind it. Kirby felt the wind on his face as he looked at the sky, noticing the background was a series of dancing cosmic particles, each pattern they appear in uniquely different. In front of the pink puffball at a good distance was none other than Exor himself, taking control of Mario's body.

"Welcome to the Final Destination, kid!" Exor yelled. "This is a special location where only Master Hands can meet up, and where my true powers are still yet to take hold." As Kirby watched with fear, Mario's white gloves ripped open to reveal the sides of Exor's hilt, his teeth becoming as sharp as literal sword blades, and the handle with the skull on the tip impaling Mario's cap, his eyes now fully glowing red with not just the irises.

"You want to rescue your friend, you'll have to go through me!" Exor snarled, setting Mario's transformed hands ablaze. Once Kirby and Exor ran towards each other, their fists clashed, causing them to hop back after the brutal force. Kirby was the first to get up, dragging forth his flaming hammer that pulsed hotter. He was about to hit Exor, but the possessed fighter grabbed ahold of the mallet, shooting a lightning bolt out of his hand. After Kirby was zapped, he quickly floated off, kicking with his feet. The pink puffball was whacking Mario's face, basically hurting Exor. With a powerful grab, Exor used Mario's body to throw Kirby in front of him, sending Kirby flying downward with a hand dunk.

Kirby would not give up as he quickly pulled out his Cutter sword, slashing at the possessed Mario. Just then, poisonous saliva drooled out of Mario's mouth, stunning Kirby when Exor spat on the pink puffball. As Kirby was dazed, Exor then used his Flame Stone ability, creating a massive blast around himself. Once Kirby was tossed onto the black opal floor of the Final Destination stage, he knew it would be over for him as he looked up to see a transformed Mario walk towards him, his hands ablaze. Who would have figured that rescuing his friends was harder than it looked, especially when he was so light in weight?

As soon as the weakened Star Warrior tried opening his eyes, he saw another figure looming over him. Once Kirby adjusted his vision, Mario's Fighter Spirit was showing himself, floating right next to the pink puffball.

"Now's your chance to strike back," the real Mario in Spirit form spoke. "Inhale my body and gain my Copy Ability. I'll be taking control for you." Kirby did not understand what Mario said, but Exor was walking closer, wiping the poison off his lips. The pink puffball them jumped up, putting on an aggressive face before Mario's Spirit vanished. Kirby then opened his mouth, breathing in as hard as he could. As Kirby inhaled, he pulled in Mario's body, and Exor could do nothing to escape. Once Kirby had the puppet fighter in his mouth, he swallowed, automatically spitting out Mario's body and gaining the Copy Ability. However, things were different for the pink puffball as he suddenly felt himself change. He began sporting the red cap Mario had, but the Smash Ball gleam flashed in his eyes as Kirby began seeing the memories Mario had: the adventures through the Mushroom Kingdom with Luigi to rescue Peach, sliding down pipes and obtaining Mushrooms and Fire Flowers, telling stories with Luigi about their interests and the fact that they have to face Bowser time-and-time again is what makes them tick, as well as other god-like beings. So many adventures that Mario went through all forgotten after his first appearance in Arcadia. Then, for Kirby, everything went dark.

Mario's Fighter Spirit took full control over Kirby's body, and now the pink puffball became a warrior of two minds. Exor in Mario's body merely looked at the new and improved Kirby, confused by what just happened after the Inhale move. Mario's Fighter Spirit then set Kirby's stubby hands on fire, ready to continue.

"Long-a time no see, Exor!" Mario's voice spoke out from Kirby. "You want-a to finish this?"

"Oh it's on, asshole!" Exor growled, the glowing-red eyes shining out from Mario's body. Kirby's body then started moving like Mario did, avoiding powerful attacks from Exor like Diamond Saw and Water Blast. Pulling out his F.L.U.D.D. device, Mario inside Kirby's body then heated the machine's tank with his fiery ability, spewing out scalding water. Blisters started forming on Exor inside Mario's body, causing him to scream in pain. Kirby's body then grabbed ahold of the puppet fighter, tossing him up into the air before following with a Super Jump Punch.

After a long series of whaling on Mario's body, Kirby landed down on the ground, ready to finish the wounded puppet fighter for good and bring his buddy back. Setting his stubby fists on fire one last time, Mario inside Kirby's body unleashed a powerful punch on Exor, causing Mario's body to fly into the blast zone of the Final Destination. After the fight was over and Kirby with Mario's Fighter Spirit emerged victorious, the stage and the background suddenly disintegrated, transforming into ashes and revealing nothing but the blackness of space. Mario's body emerged from the darkness in front of Kirby, Exor still trapped inside.

"Think this is over yet!?" Exor sneered. "You may be strong but think again!" Mario's body then suddenly formed the barrier that all of the other puppet Spirits had before, his arms spread apart as the six wings surrounding Galeem were present. Kirby's body looked around, seeing Shadow Bugs emerge from huge vortexes and surround them, engulfing everything. The golden gun with rainbow flames suddenly appeared in Kirby's small arms, and Mario took control of the pink puffball's body as he pointed the weapon at his own body.

"Time to get myself back into the real world," Mario's voice spoke out from Kirby, the red plumber's Fighter Spirit funneling himself into the gun. With a press of the trigger, Kirby sniped the puppet fighter, using Mario's Spirit as ammunition. With a mighty blast, Mario's Spirit was reunited with his body, and Exor was knocked out. As soon as the barrier disappeared and white light emerged from where there was once the red plumber, the Legendary Master Spirit Exor felt himself become drawn into Kirby's pink body.

"Oh, no," Exor cried, noticing the six wings that surrounded the barrier were now glass-like shards swirling around him. "The Lock is broken on this fighter, and Galeem's gonna be so pissed when he find out!" The sword-like Spirit then went into Kirby's body, and with him were the shards. Kirby's eyes then started glowing white, blinding the area he was trapped in.

Kirby slowly woke up again, noticing something was different about him. As he looked at his body, he noticed he had glowing golden irises and a rainbow aura covering his body. On his forehead, Kirby felt a strange, spherical gemstone in the shape of the Smash Ball, swirling in multiple colors and shown to have a black cross off-center. The pink puffball suddenly remembered this was the exact same situation when Sonic was having these visions, but something was different about the place. For one, the world around him was different… like VERY different. The sky was gleaming crystal blue with clouds in all sorts of colors, and the grass had more of a vegetation-like texture. Hills and mountains were smoothed out, and there were all sorts of weirdly-shaped trees, each one in all sorts of the rainbow spectrum too. Strange flowers bloomed all around him, and the sounds of waterfalls and singing birds filled the fresh, clean air. Before the pink puffball could figure out anything else about the strange environment, deep roaring and a fast gush of wind emerged from up above behind him.

Scaring the living hell out of Kirby so much was some sort of enormous dragon, its silver wings twice as long as its torso. Kirby, now shaking, looked up to see the aluminum-coated dragon fly off into the sky towards the mountains. The pink puffball, not losing sight of it, followed the dragon to a nearby cave. Catching his breath, Kirby peeked out from the entrance to see the aluminum-coated dragon, his silver horns and glittering spikes, placing some sort of mushed-up meal of fishes and meat in a wooden bowl in front of what appeared to be his mate. The aluminum-coated dragon's wife's scales were patterned to be tropical in color, and she looked down next to her three unique eggs.

"It's almost time, Metallio," the female dragon spoke lovingly. "Almost time for our children to breath their first breath of Arcus' air…" The three eggs were each colored differently, and they were starting to shake. The first egg was coated in fiery red with black splotches, the second one was a pure white with orange-and-blue glitter like the cosmos, and the third was coated black, with the rainbow design imprinted on it like a folded angel's wing.

"Here comes one now, Toropikaru," Metallio answered, the two dragons watching as the fiery-red egg was the first one to hatch. Kirby carefully snuck into the cave, trying to catch a good glimpse on the three newborn dragons. Emerging from the first egg was a black-coated dragon, his flaming wings stretching out like a phoenix, and that gesture is what his parents decided to call him.

"Welcome to the planet of Arcus, little Phoenix," Metallio spoke, stretching his silver wing to cradle the baby dragon. The second egg coated in white cracked open as a tiny, white dragon crawled out of his shell. When he unfurled his two large wings, they were chaotically colored of deep-space blue and flaming-star orange.

"Hello there, Galeem," Toropikaru spoke, nuzzling her face into the newborn. When Kirby heard the dragon call one of her children Galeem, he became angry enough to run towards the infant. However, when the pink puffball was about to attack, he simply passed through the dragons like a ghost. Kirby was frightened that he can't interact with these beasts, so all he could do was sit and watch. The last egg started rumbling, and the egg shells started flying out in all directions that the parents had to shield themselves and the newborns from the scattered pieces. Crawling out of the black, rainbow-coated egg was a tiny black-coated dragon, her spikes and claws flashing gray and her wings unfolded to reveal the most beautiful rainbow spectrum anyone had ever seen. Both Metallio and Toropikaru leaned their heads in to greet the last one to arrive in their family.

"Boy, she's tough for a newborn," Metallio chuckled as he felt the baby dragon attempt to claw his face with her pillow-soft talons. Toropikaru then nuzzled the baby dragon gently, rubbing her muzzle against the black-scaled infant.

"This one is special," Toropikaru sighed as their baby daughter growled with a tiny snarl. "One might even say she's the center of her own universe. She may not act like it now, but she is destined for something greater, which is why we named her… Ultima." The tropical-coated dragon's husband then sat down next to her, admiring the three adorable children they brought together. Rubbing his cuddly face, Kirby did not understand what was going on, the Smash Ball on his forehead pulsing brighter. Just then, Kirby saw that the environment was glowing brighter in white, and the pink puffball was determined to know more before he simply vanished.

Kirby was slowly trying to open his eyes, unaware of what happened. When the pink puffball adjusted his vision, he saw Piranha Plant and Faker, both of them outside of their golden cages. Groaning while sitting up, Kirby rubbed his head to find out they were on the same pathway as before, in the grassy field and all. However, the sky was getting darker as the sun in the forest was setting. The Tyrannosaurus Rex was gone, theorizing that it presumably walked away after time passed by.

"After you defeated the puppet fighter we came across, you freed us from the cages we were stuck in," Faker said, the Piranha Plant helping Kirby up.

"If you're wondering what happened to Mario, well…" Faker continued, pointing down on the ground next to where Kirby was laying. There, fully unconscious, was Mario's body. Kirby, alarmed, ran towards the rescued fighter, hugging the red plumber tight. Just then, an incoming transmission rang on Faker's device. The brown-skinned warrior pressed the button once, and E. Gadd was speaking through this time.

"What happened?" E. Gadd asked. "Did you manage to rescue someone?"

"We sure did," Faker answered.

"Good!" E. Gadd spoke. "We'll be transporting you three and your special guest up here shortly. We'll be planting that beacon here for your next visit." Kirby then took off his device off his nonexistent shoulder, tying his and Mario's wrists together with the gadget. The three adventurers, including Mario, were just then fading into blue before being whisked away straight high back onto the Undying Light, leaving the beacon behind.

As dawn came straight from the mountains, the rays of sunlight hit Mario's face. The red plumber slowly got up, rubbing his face. His eyes were not glowing red anymore, and they were back to their usual blue color.

"Mamma mia… what happened…?" Mario moaned, sitting up. As he looked around, he noticed he was in one of the many beds in a strange room, and in front of him was the poster Kirby drew before, with the whole gang back together again. Just then, Mario heard a knock on the room's door.

"Hello?" a voice asked. "Is it fine if I come in?"

"Sure," Mario answered, unaware of the environment he was in. The door opened, and Faker walked in, the black-haired, brown-skinned warrior in her pajamas.

"I was learning how to make breakfast," Faker said, holding a tray with a plate in her hands. "My work's still a little sloppy, but I hope you enjoy." She placed the tray on Mario's lap, and in the plate was a half-burned mess of what was hard to figure out but was apparently eggs and bacon.

"Uh… thanks-a," Mario replied, taking a fork and knife in his hands. Placing a piece of the breakfast meal in his mouth, Mario began quietly chewing the meal with his lips closed. The texture really left something on Mario's taste buds alright, but it was not delicious. After Mario spat out the food in his mouth, he wiped his lips and tongue, trying to get the awful taste out of his mouth.

"Told you I wasn't a great cook," Faker nervously chuckled, rubbing the back of her neck.

"No, it's alright," Mario answered, pushing the meal in front of him. "You at least get credit for trying." Walking into the room behind Faker was the Piranha Plant and Kirby, both relieved to see Mario back in his old self again.

"Mario!" Kirby cheered, hugging the red plumber.

"Nice-a to see you again, Kirby," Mario replied, returning the hug. "I knew you could-a do it…" Just then, Mario noticed the Piranha Plant next to Faker, curious on how a generic enemy like that snuck on board.

"A Piranha Plant?" Mario asked, breaking the hug between him and Kirby. "What's a Piranha Plant doing here?" Faker noticed the carnivorous flower next to her, and she turned her attention to Mario.

"Well, it's a long story," Faker answered. "We were still learning so much about this world, and we don't know everything we need to know. We're hoping you could help us, since you were under Galeem's control…" Mario looked down, straightening his red cap and blue overalls.

"Show me around the base we're all at," Mario said, getting up from the bed. "I want to-a learn about where you're hiding from Galeem, and in return I can give you all I know about the Seraph of Order, as well as what he is doing with the other fighters."

"When the rest of our friends and I were separated from our bodies," Mario explained, walking with Kirby and Piranha Plant around the ship and getting acquainted with the crew, "we managed to catch a glimpse of what Galeem managed to do. The Mii Fighters and the Subspace Army were enslaved after Tabuu's capture. It didn't really matter who or what kind of Spirit Galeem grabbed, he forced all of them to take full control of the petrified Mii Fighters."

"And were the Skylanders part of the Spirits?" Flynn asked, piloting the ship from above.

"Yes… some Skylanders were even part of the captured Spirits," Mario answered, knowing the question had nothing to do with the situation. The red plumber then turned towards Kirby and Piranha Plant.

"Anyway," Mario continued, "he took our own bodies, transformed into trophies and tied up, and he poured some sort of mysterious golden liquid onto us. It's not clear exactly what, even though we theorized it must've been melted Shadow Bugs, but he managed to clone at least eight puppet fighters from us. Galeem then forced the Spirits, both Normal and Master, to take control of these stone-cold warriors. They are known as the Supporters. As for the trophies they originated from, the Master Legendary Spirits went into them. To ensure no one would ever rescue them naturally without a fight to the death, he used the Smash Balls that were hidden inside our Fighter Spirits and created the Galeem Lock. Now that the Master Legendary Spirits are permanently fused to the warriors they chose, they would do anything for Galeem's bidding. They're known as the False Warriors, or Primaries. Whenever you defeat a Primary, the shards from the Galeem Lock fly into you and give you special warnings before fusing with its chosen Fighter Spirit again, waiting for its chance to wake up..."

"And what about the rest of us?" Saki asked, the glowing-green warrior cleaning his gun.

"You all may be hiding for now, but sooner or later Galeem's going to find us," Mario answered. "The Primaries and their Supporters are Galeem's eyes, so the seraph can see our every move. People left and right are transported to this planet without their physical forms, taken captive from Galeem's forces and bosses to power more petrified vessels of Mii Fighters. Now there are hardly anyone free from that monster…" Kirby placed his stubby hand on Mario's shoulder, looking at the red plumber with a determined face.

"I'm at least-a glad you're okay," Mario said, rubbing Kirby's head as he knelt down. "The stone given to you by your woman friend… it may be holding some extraordinary powers. Therefore, whenever you used that signature Inhale move on the opponent you're facing, the Copy Ability that you take from said enemy is actually one of the Fighter Spirits based off that enemy. After you inhale a Primary, the Fighter Spirits take over your mind and do the rest of the fighting. You may have seen flashes of our long-forgotten memories, right?" Kirby nodded, rubbing his cheek.

"That gemstone is-a linking our souls into one, allowing us to share all of our memories, so I see yours and you see mine, even if we forget what our own memories even looked like," Mario kept explaining. "You may have seen something else after you reunited my Spirit with my body, right? Somehow, those flashes from the Galeem Lock shards and that strange stone are linking their powers to tell you something." Aware of what Mario was talking about, Kirby nodded, the Piranha Plant trying to understand everything the red plumber said. Mario then got up, straightening his cap.

"Show me," Mario said. Running back and forth to the room with several beds, Kirby grabbed a sheet of paper and coloring crayons, scribbling what he pictured after saving Mario. A minute or two passed, and the pink puffball presented to the red plumber what he drew. When Mario took the picture, he noticed it was like a children's drawing, but it was mainly two dragons in a cave – one silver-coated dragon named Metallio, and another with a tropical-themed armor called Toropikaru. In the nest they were laying down on, there were three, multi-colored eggs present, and the three baby dragons from before labeled by the names Kirby could remember: Phoenix, Galeem, and Ultima. Before Mario was about to say anything else, Sticks the Jungle Badger slid down the ladder to the ship's cockpit.

"Trouble with the beacon," Sticks said. "It's not visible on our map! You three better get down there at once! Meet us up at the deck. At least be grateful we're above where you last left it." The glowing-green Spirit then climbed back to the cockpit. Kirby and Piranha Plant looked at Mario, ready to go. Shortly after, the three fighters ran up to the deck, leaving Faker behind. The brown-skinned woman, now in her dragon-armor uniform, looked at the hand-drawn picture Kirby dropped, studying it after picking it up. Since she had no idea what it was, Faker did not know how to reply as she looked up the ladder, seeing Mario, Piranha Plant, and Kirby run through the cockpit to outside the deck.

Chapter 31: Stuck on a Planet

Summary:

After something goes wrong with the transportation portion of the Undying Light, Mario and his crew of fighters are forced to stay on the planet.

Chapter Text

Mario, Kirby, and Piranha Plant marched out onto the Undying Light's deck, greeted by the Great Sage. The elderly Mii gave the three fighters the watch-like devices and fold-up gliders.

"When you already have the devices on your wrists, just remember one press is communication, two presses is alert, and three presses is transportation back to the ship," the Great Sage addressed. "Good luck fixing that beacon." Once the drop-off plank pulled out from the side of the ship and the Great Sage walked away, the three fighters walked onto the rim, looking down upon the grassy field they were at a while ago.

"Are you-a sure you want-a to do this, Kirby?" Mario asked, scared of the height he and the other two warriors were about to fall down through. "I really don't think this-a -woah! " Before Mario could finish, the Piranha Plant pushed the red plumber off the plank, watching Mario falling in fright for a moment. Kirby merely looked at Piranha Plant with a slightly pissed-off face, jumping off the wooden plank with the carnivorous flower. The three were now diving from beyond the clouds, and Mario knew this was ridiculous especially from this distance from the ground.

"Poyo-poyo!" Kirby yelled to Mario, pointing at the fold-up glider in his stubby pink hands.

"What!?" Mario asked as loud as he could. "Don't try talking to me! I can't understand your language!" Shaking his head, Kirby tilted his soft, round body towards the ground along with Piranha Plant. When the three adventurers were only feet away from the ground, Kirby pulled out his glider, and so did Piranha Plant. After Mario saw what was going on, he grabbed the handles of his glider, he jerked up when it unfolded, catching the gust of wind in its fabric. The three fighters then watched as they slowly descended towards the ground, landing on the grassy field next to the gateway of the ruins. Waiting right for Mario, Kirby, and Piranha Plant was nothing more than a Supporter Jigglypuff, the Pokémon wearing a red bowtie on the back of her head, her irises glowing red with glee as in her stubby, light-pink hands was the metal ball that created the beacon.

"We must've missed this one," Magnus spoke over the transmitter in each of the fighter's gadgets. "Careful guys." Just when Mario and Piranha Plant started running towards the Supporter Jigglypuff, Kirby got a head-start, confident to get that beacon back. Before the other two warriors could reach up to the Supporter, Kirby grabbed the False Jigglypuff and tossed her high into the air. The ground began rumbling under Kirby and False Jigglypuff, emerging out of the ground and creating an invisible UV sphere, trapping Mario and Piranha Plant outside.

The stage the two puffballs were on shifted into a wooden, log-like battlefield, revealing two platforms moving to and from the center of the stage in opposite directions. The UV Sphere created some sort of cylinder-shaped landscape, dotted with houses, tree, and rivers, transforming into the infamous Smashville. The False Jigglypuff Supporter floated towards Kirby, about to use her Rest move. However, Kirby managed to dodge out of the way in time, and the Pokémon fell asleep for a short while. Her devastating move didn't hit, and it left her open for a powerful dash attack.

Kirby ran right into the Supporter Jigglypuff, setting himself on flames and whacking the puppet warrior off the stage. However, she managed to float back onto the stage, running at Kirby again. This was going to be easy, Kirby thought. All the young Star Warrior had to do was dodge the Supporter Jigglypuff's Rest move and counter-attack. No matter how fast the bow-tie Jigglypuff ran, she could not keep up with Kirby's fluid reactions. Eventually, since her only game plan was using Rest, Kirby waited until she was open and finished with a devastating kick, sending the puppet fighter into the blast zone of the UV sphere. The barrier disappeared, and so did the Smashville stage, and Piranha Plant and Mario watched as Kirby was frozen in the air, pointing that rainbow-fiery golden gun at a barrier. Inside was the bow-tie Jigglypuff, disintegrating into Shadow Bugs and revealing the true Spirit controlling the puppet Pokémon: a glowing-green Celeste.

"That's right, Piranha Plant," Mario told the carnivorous flower, looking at Kirby ready to fire. "After anyone wins a battle against a puppet fighter, the defeated Spirits and their vessels pull out a barrier constantly spinning, revealing only a tiny hole for a perfect snipe. Once Kirby fires the Spirit Sniper, he'll either absorb the rescued Spirit into the gemstone inside his body or hit the barrier, forcing him to fight again. No matter what, only one way to find out." Kirby heard what Mario was talking about, carefully aiming the Spirit Sniper at the tiny hole in the barrier, trying to stay targeted once it moved again. After a careful press of the trigger, Kirby sniped the glowing-green Celeste. The Normal Advanced Spirit freed both herself and Kirby, flying into the pink puffball's body once absorbed. The Spirit Sniper vanished again, and Kirby dropped onto the dirt path in the grassy field again. Mario ran towards Kirby, trying to keep the young Star Warrior steady. The beacon in the puppet warrior's clutches was dropped, disappearing back into the watch-like devices of the real fighters.

"You're-a okay," Mario sighed, rubbing Kirby's head. "Sooner or-a later, you'll get used to this. You'll get used to rescuing Spirits and having Fighter Spirits take over your body. I know you've fought god-like beings and literal gods in your time, especially for someone your age. Let's-a go now. We're still walking on the path to the ruins. Might as well go there." Kirby nodded, taking Mario and Piranha Plant with him to the ruins.

At the ruins, markings that seemed ancient spiraled all the way to the center. Stone pillars stuck out of the ground, eroding away in time. Mario, Kirby, and Piranha Plant looked at the darkening sky, painted with the dusk of the setting sun. While the three fighters traveled through the rocky desolation, Mario was pretty interested in Piranha Plant. The red plumber turned towards Kirby, the pink puffball looking at him in return.

"Kirby?" Mario asked. "Just to clear things up a bit, how come there's a Piranha Plant on our side? He looks and behaves like a fighter, but none of us had ever seen him appear in our group after Galeem's attack. Did you just find him wounded after some sort of brutal fight against a monster?" Kirby rubbed his head, wondering how that Piranha Plant survived Galeem's blast. Those beams spread across the multiverse, engulfing planets and robbing both innocent and evil residents of their physical forms. Galeem does give the Spirits their bodies back, but only if they promise to serve him for all eternity. The carnivorous flower was not present in the army of captured fighters. Somehow, that Piranha Plant found a way to avoid the attack unlike his brethren.

"Poyo!" Kirby exclaimed. The pink puffball was pointing his stubby arm at some sort of figure in the center of the ruins. Mario and Piranha Plant noticed it too, and it was a tall, hairy figure. It was none other than the Werewolf from the world the Belmonts came from. The three fighters were ready to fight the lycanthrope, but the Werewolf began crawling on all fours, running to the top of a nearby pillar.

"I do not want to fight you stringy morsels," the Werewolf spoke. The three travelers were confused by a lycanthrope talking in such a strong accent, especially when they clearly knew that werewolves themselves can't speak after they have transformed.

"Lord Galeem cursed me, keeping me in my animal self while giving me the ability to communicate with those that speak the common language," the Werewolf continued. "However, as much as he forces me to, I dare would not lay a hand on any of you."

"Then you would be considered a traitor," Mario objected. "Galeem might strip you of your physical form again, or even worse kill you without your conscious to save you."

"I am aware of the actions Galeem will take," the Werewolf spoke, scratching his thick coat of his fleas with his hind leg. "Like you brave souls, I too desire a chance to return to the real world."

"So, you're not-a going to attack us?" Mario asked, lowering his fists and relaxing. Kirby and Piranha Plant noticed that they were communicating with the Werewolf as a guide, so they decided to calm down to listen to what the Werewolf was saying.

"Only when I am hungry," the Werewolf said. "I already had a filling meal, so you have no need to worry. To clear things up a bit, you know that Galeem's servants are spreading across his kingdom. Your friends are not just on Gallia's surface. Some are even located in the depths of space and other planets hidden within galaxies. Galeem receives precious information about whatever they see. Which is why I have no time to waste. Be careful once you journey across these ruins. You will have to face the guardian of the Ancients, forcing you to avoid his deadly lasers and defeat him in order to advance."

"That's it?" Mario asked, looking at Piranha Plant and Kirby. "That sounds-a easy…"

"It sure sounds like it," the Werewolf spoke. "However, once you pass through the guardian, there are three paths for you to take, and each one is protected by your captured friends: the Hero-King, the Illusive Sheikah, and the Mayor of Smashville." Kirby, shocked, tugged on Mario's side, knowing about three of their friends.

"They're Marth, Sheik, and Villager!" Mario answered. "We have to rescue them as fast as we could!" Piranha Plant snarled, nodding with determination.

"I would not rush to them, if I were you," the Werewolf objected, perching on the stone pillar. "You see, after you head to the three alternate pathways, you only have one fighter to choose from. Once you have made your decision, the other two will close off the pathways with help from a Master Hand, forcing you to keep going until you have cleared the path you have chosen." Mario looked down on the ground, knowing there was a decision he and his friends would have to take.

"At least consider yourself lucky," the Werewolf finished. "I will always be following you, hidden from Galeem's spies, giving you advice on the secrets of the multiverse when you most need it. Until we meet again…" With a mighty howl as the sun disappeared behind the land, the Werewolf jumped off the stone pillar he was on, running off into the distance from the ruins.

"You heard the lycanthrope," Mario told Kirby and Piranha Plant. "We need to be-a careful with our choices. Besides, we might find more of our friends once we travel down our locked pathway…" The three travelers then heard the beeping of Mario's watch-like device. With a press of the button, Mario heard Sticks' voice coming from the gadget.

"Did you fix that beacon?" Sticks asked.

"There was an enemy holding it hostage," Mario answered. "Kirby managed to get it back it, however. Hey, is it true that there are three pathways for us to choose once we defeat some sort of guardian?"

"Don't know," Sticks answered. "This is something you'll have to discover for yourself while we map this whole world. We were going to transport you back to the Undying Light, but apparently Flynn spilled some hot soup on the shiny doohickey that beams you up while upgrading it with E. Gadd's help."

"Mamma mia," Mario tiredly sighed. "The worst time imaginable has to be that Mabu pilot from the Skylands not able to finish his supper in time…"

"Looks like you're going to have to camp down on the planet for now until we fix it… let's say about a week or two max," Sticks continued. "We'll tell you the upgrades once we dry that bad baby up, okay?"

"Okay," Mario answered, ending the transmission. The red plumber then looked at Kirby and Piranha Plant, shaking his head.

"Bad news, guys, in case you haven't-a heard," Mario said. "Transporter's busted, so we'll be staying on the planet for a while. Do you mind gathering resources?" Time had passed, and the three fighters set up a small campfire set ablaze thanks to Mario's unique ability. Kirby, exhausted, was trying to keep warm in the middle of the night, as he shivered and hugged himself. The Piranha Plant managed to gather a large clump of wild berries all gathered onto a giant leaf as he sat down and passed some to the red plumber. While Mario was popping a handful of strawberries and blue raspberries into his mouth, he noticed the pink puffball looking depressed. The red plumber scooted forward next to Kirby.

"You cold-a?" Mario asked, noticing the shivering puffball. The red plumber then handed Kirby whatever berries remained in his hand, and there was plenty.

"Eat up," Mario recommended. "They may not be delicacies, but their energy will keep you bundled up for the night." Kirby then ate Mario's hand with the berries in one bite, engulfing the red plumber's front half of his arm. Mario quickly managed to slip his hand out of the pink puffball, noticing the saliva now dripping from his arm explained Kirby's usual appetite. The red plumber then set his hand on fire, instantly drying his arm while shaking off the mist. Afterwards, Mario turned back to Kirby.

"It's alright," Mario said, knowing Kirby's loneliness in his black-and-blue eyes. "I know about your isolation, and I miss them too. You got me back, so that means we'll get them back. I guess only time will tell for sure…" Kirby looked at Mario with tears in his eyes, and the pink puffball hugged the red plumber, sobbing gently into his lap. As the stars twinkled above in a blanket, Mario watched the Piranha Plant drift off to sleep in his flower pot. It wasn't long before the red plumber and the pink puffball dozed off next to the fire in the darkness of the ruins.

Chapter 32: The Three-Way Path

Summary:

When our three heroes come across a fork in the road with three Primaries ready to attack, they are forced to split up when they know the other paths will be closed off from them.

Chapter Text

Morning arrived on the land, with the first light of dawn shining on three legendary fighters fast asleep next to a dying campfire now crumbling into ashes. The Piranha Plant managed to stay up through most of the night, keeping watch over the team. Mario slowly opened his eyes, feeling his head snuggle into Kirby's soft body. The red plumber sat up, rubbing Kirby's soft body.

"Wake up, sleepy-head," Mario sighed. Kirby hopped up, rubbing his big eyes. The three fighters managed to sleep all throughout the night, without a single monster attacking them. Just then, Piranha Plant started picking up something deep within the ruins. The carnivorous flower heard robotic noises, followed with exploding and crumbling stones. Kirby and Mario heard it too, and whatever it was sounded enormous.

"Come on, guys!" Mario told Piranha Plant and Kirby. The three adventurers then traveled down the path through the ruins, noticing the noise getting closer and closer the faster they walked. Eventually, Mario, Kirby, and Piranha Plant looked down from above a desolated pillar to find the cause of the noises: a giant pink R.O.B. blasting lasers, no matter how weak they were due to charging time. The puppet fighter glared at the three warriors with glowing red eyes, watching as Mario, Piranha Plant, and Kirby walked up to the robotic creature.

Before the three adventurers could react, the ground underneath them rumbled. A flat stage then shot out of the ruins' ground, creating another UV sphere around itself. The stage twisted and formed into some sort of ancient technology, and the background changed into what looked like Hyrule Field, though everything was mostly wildlife dotted with existing civilizations, and the Hyrule Castle far off in the distance was left in shambles as darkness barricaded the royal walls. It was the Final Destination version of the Great Plateau Tower. Piranha Plant, Kirby, and Mario looked at the giant R.O.B. Supporter they were facing, watching as it merely stood its ground and began firing lasers.

The fight was rather simple: avoid the lasers and attack the puppet fighter. As Mario was jumping into the air, watching out for the beams the R.O.B. Supporter was shooting, he began taking out his golden cape, flipping the lasers back at the puppet fighter. As the giant pink R.O.B. was quickly getting up, Kirby and the Piranha Plant ran towards the puppet, punching and kicking from behind. The R.O.B. puppet was still shooting lasers at the trio, trying its best to catch up with them. Eventually, the three fighters began wailing on the giant R.O.B. with projectiles while staying at a safe distance: Mario with his fireballs and golden cape, the Piranha Plant with his ability to blow spiked balls at the robot, and Kirby with his Inhale move, spitting them out in the form of powerful stars. With one last hit, Mario used a basketball dunk on the giant pink R.O.B., knocking the puppet fighter out. The stage crumbled down beneath the victorious adventurers, and the UV sphere vanished.

Once Kirby and Piranha Plant felt themselves on the ground again, they saw Mario suspended in the air, pointing the Spirit Sniper at the giant pink R.O.B., who disintegrated into Shadow Bugs. As the puppet fighter vanished into thin air, all that remained was a glowing-green, Normal Advanced Guardian, the kind found in the mythical land of Hyrule that worked for the entity known as Calamity Ganon, heavily based on the technology founded by the Sheikah. The barrier formed around the Normal Spirit like before, and Mario pulled the trigger on the Spirit Sniper, hitting the Guardian and freeing the Spirit. Once Mario dropped onto the ground, the Spirit Sniper vanishing like always, the Guardian floated right into the gemstone suspended in Kirby's body, causing the pink puffball to jump up in confusion.

"We can do this, like I said before," Mario told Kirby. "Just keep yourself brave, okay?" Kirby looked at Mario, a tiny bead of sweat rolling down his pink face. The Piranha Plant then started growling again, sensing something down the path. As soon as the carnivorous flower broke up from Mario and Kirby, the other two fighters started following him to where the pathways split. The area was a mystical pyramid, creating three forks in the road. The distance was big, but the three paths the warriors were forced to decide upon were clearly shown. On the path to their left, Marth's possessed body waited. To the right, the Villager was seen looking for a challenger. At the middle path, Sheik was there. Both Kirby and Piranha Plant looked at Mario, wondering how they were going to do this.

"Don't expect me to-a know everything," Mario said. "The Werewolf back there said if we choose one path, the other two will close off, forcing us to stay one the path we have chosen until we complete it…" Kirby and Piranha Plant started thinking about it, wondering what to do. Afterwards, the pink puffball looked at Mario with a brave face.

"Let me-a guess…" Mario sighed. "We're going to have to split up. Three paths, three fighters. Call it even if you will." Kirby nodded as his final answer. Mario, Kirby, and the Piranha Plant walked off to where the path split up. The three warriors then looked at each other, knowing the risk they were about to take.

"I know we just-a met and yet… I'm really going to miss you guys…" Mario sighed, adjusting his cap. Kirby and Piranha Plant hugged the red plumber, knowing they must part ways again for this one mission. The trio broke the group hug and looked at each other, walking down the paths they have chosen. Mario went towards where Marth waited, the Piranha Plant to Sheik, and Kirby to Villager. The three fighters knew they wouldn't be together after a long while, knowing the decision they made.

Mario walked towards his old friend Marth, noticing the glowing-red eyes the Hero-King sported. The image of the Master Legendary Spirit possessing Marth showed the humanoid form of the warlord Duma. For Piranha Plant, the carnivorous flower looked at Sheik walking closer to him, her glowing-red eyes gleaming brighter. In a brief flash of an image, the Master Legendary Spirit that was revealed was shown to have been the combined version of Kotake and Koume: Twinrova. Far off into the left, Kirby carefully approached the Villager, noticing the Mayor of Smashville looking at him with the glowing-red eyes. Through a single flash, the pink puffball quickly figured out the Master Legendary Spirit that was possessing Villager turned out to be one of the god-like beings he faced on his home planet Popstar: Magolor.

"Looks like the fat idiot decided to show up at last," Duma's voice spoke out of Marth. "Tell me, what took you so long as to split up with your gang?" Mario looked at the Primary Fighter with an aggressive face, setting his white-gloved hands on fire.

"What do you think you're doing here?" Twinrova asked the Piranha Plant through Sheik's body. "All of the greatest warriors in the multiverse, and only a plant comes and faces me…"

"I haven't seen you in a long while, Kirby," Magolor said inside Villager's body. "Tell me… how's my friend Marx doing when he's not suspended in the depths of space, floating around in the Comet Nova's rubble?" Kirby pulled up his stubby pink fists, putting on his war face.

"Now that you're here…" Duma in Marth's body spoke.

"…and you're all alone…" Twinrova in Sheik's body continued.

"…it looks like the two of us will be having so much fun together." Magolor in Villager's body finished while cackling. For the three fighters against each of Galeem's Primaries, vortexes surrounded the possessed fighters, and each opponent was taken to different areas of the Final Destination.

Mario walked towards the possessed Marth, watching as the Primary Fighter shifted parts of the Hero-King's body into what he was before. A light-green ponytail long and ragged shot out of Marth's blue hair, elf-like ears pointed out from the sides, dragon claws stuck out from the Hero-King's gloved hands, and Marth's eyes were entirely red now. Pulling out the Falchion, Duma inside Marth's body rushed towards Mario, slashing with such grace and accuracy.

In another part of the Final Destination, Twinrova inside Sheik's body saw Piranha Plant licking his lips, letting his head slowly shift into multiple colors as he was going to release some sort of unpredictable attack afterwards. The possessed Sheikah sprouted a large gem on her head, with the right side of her body red and the left side blue. Like before, Sheik's eyes were fully red now, and two streams of fire and ice grew out from the back of her head. Twinrova inside Sheik's body pulled out several needles, twisting her neck so she could pop the bones in her spine.

Kirby pulled up his stubby pink fists, facing against Magolor inside Villager's body in a different area of the Final Destination. As the Primary Fighter pulled out a wood-cutting axe, the possessed warrior's entire eyes started glowing red, flinching rapidly. A strange golden crown appeared on the puppet fighter's head, with some sort of white bandana covering his mouth. His arms vanished and his arms became detached thanks to moon-shaped auras, and misty red magic started gleaming through the transformed Villager's hands.

With a fire-like blast, Duma inside Marth's body unleashed a devastating laser at Mario, only to find out about the red plumber jumping over him and kicking the Primary from behind. The possessed Hero-King quickly jumped up from the ground, charging up his Shield Breaker move. Mario managed to dodge the thrusting tipper in time, watching Marth's Falchion create a small scratch in his overalls. Pissed off, Mario set his hands ablaze, launching a series of fireballs at Duma inside Marth's body. The Primary warrior tried avoiding the fiery attacks, but he only managed to dodge only a few fireballs. The rest of them scarred his skin with nasty burns, and Marth's glowing-red eyes met with Mario's boot.

Mario kicked Marth right in the head, sending the Hero-King close to the edge of the Final Destination platform. The red plumber started pulling out his F.L.U.D.D. device on his back, heating up the water inside to a boiling temperature with his fiery powers. Mario watched Duma still inside Marth's body, crawling up in a dragon's posture, wiping the blood leaking from his glowing-red eyes as he snarled, the Hero-King's Falchion in his hand. Mario then pumped out boiling-hot water from the F.L.U.D.D. device, soaking the Primary warrior in scalding pain. Afterwards, Mario set his fists ablaze once more, unleashing a fiery punch and knocking Duma in Marth's body off the stage into the blast zone of the Final Destination before everything went dark all of a sudden.

In another part of the Final Destination stage, Piranha Plant started mauling and biting at the Primary he was going up against: Twinrova inside Sheik. When the possessed Sheikah started throwing needles at the carnivorous flower, they quickly transformed into arrows of fire and ice, traveling at a sharp and fast distance. The Piranha Plant jumped and dodged, holding on tight to his flower pot with his two big leaves. Once the storm of fire-and-ice needles was over, the carnivorous flower noticed pieces of his green body were cut off and burning. Just when Sheik's body was about to kick him, Piranha Plant grabbed ahold of her leg with his white-lipped mouth, biting deep with his sharp teeth. While Twinrova inside Sheik's body was slashing at the carnivorous flower rapidly with fiery and icy knives, Piranha Plant still kept on holding on to his bite, his teeth sinking deeper into her skin and cracking her leg bone.

The Piranha Plant then spat the Primary warrior out, poisonous saliva at the teeth marks mixing in with her darkened blood. Once Twinrova still inside Sheik's body quickly got up, she clenched on to her leg in pain, her glowing-red eyes flashing at Piranha Plant. The carnivorous flower then blew a large gust of wind, launching a spiked ball at Sheik. Landing on her flat chest, the spiked ball launched the Primary warrior off the stage. As soon as she was about to recover with her Abyss move, the Piranha Plant jumped off and slammed downward with his flower pot, knocking the possessed Sheik out. Like with Mario, the Final Destination stage vanished in black instantly. All that remained in one more part of the Final Destination was Kirby against Magolor inside Villager.

"Now it's just you and me, puffball," Magolor teased, violet flames coming out of the Villager's floating hands and his glowing-red eyes becoming brighter. Kirby ran towards the Primary warrior, knowing he had faced godlike-beings and literal gods before even though he could not remember who and why. This time was a little bit different, especially coming from a possessed fighter. Magolor used all of the original abilities he had before when he had his own body, except it was all in Villager. Kirby began hopping up into the air, kicking with his large red feet once Magolor generated three shadow-coated balls above him from Villager's floating hands. He floated out of the way after launching them at Kirby. Thankfully the pink puffball was able to inhale all three in time before jumping and spitting out the shadow-coated balls in the form of a star cluster. Kirby managed to time the spit and hit Villager's body, but Magolor teleported back onto the stage, pulling out a fruit-coated tree out of nowhere and a chopping axe.

After Magolor chopped down the tree with Villager's body, Kirby managed to grab onto the tree in time, swinging it by the trunk with brute force despite his simple stature and strength. The deciduous branches hit the Primary warrior, causing Magolor inside Villager to float into the air again. He then created paint-coated pillars from the Final Destination stage, and Kirby did not manage to react in time as he felt himself impaled and launched high into the air to meet the possessed Villager's burning fist. Just as Kirby was about to give up, he suddenly remembered what happened during that encounter with Mario when he was under the Galeem Lock, and the pink puffball quickly inhaled to gain Villager's Copy Ability. Magolor still inside Villager was sucked in, and the moment he landed a blow with his fist, it was too late for him. The Primary warrior was quickly drawn into Kirby and launched out a second later from the pink puffball's body. As soon as Magolor knew what happened, he saw Kirby's eyes flash the Smash Ball gleam from before, and a wig of brown hair from the Villager appeared on Kirby's head. Villager's Fighter Spirit took over Kirby's body thanks to Faker's stone, and now the young Smashville mayor was ready to fight in the body of a Star Warrior.

Magolor floated into the air again, throwing shadow-coated ball after shadow-coated ball. Luckily, Villager inside Kirby began pocketing the projectiles, throwing them out one at a time at the Primary warrior's body. Magolor suddenly noticed he was losing, and the pink demon had a winning chance just like before, but this time a kid that looked like a murderous psychopath was taking control. Magolor, still inside Villager's body, kept blasting powerful electrical explosives at Kirby, who was running towards him now, the Villager's wig still intact. With one jump, Kirby's body pulled out a bowling ball and launched it right on top of the controlled Villager, knocking the Primary warrior off the stage. Like what happened after Piranha Plant and Mario won with their rivals, the Final Destination stage crumbled into particles similar to Shadow Bugs, and the sky went dark.

Standing back-to-back, Mario, Kirby, and Piranha Plant were close together, floating in the darkness, noticing Marth, Sheik, and Villager's bodies generating their barriers after defeat. Duma, Twinrova, and Magolor still remained attached to their selected bodies as the barriers with tiny holes kept spinning rapidly. A Spirit Sniper each generated in Mario, Piranha Plant, and Kirby's hands, and they were each pointing at their defeated opponent. The Fighter Spirits of the Primary warriors the trio defeated created ammo for each fighter alongside Kirby, with the Villager's Spirit flowing from the pink demon's body. Taking aim, with the Shadow Bugs closing in, the three fighters fired at the Master Legendary Spirits within their captured friends, each one of them using a perfect shot. Mario and Piranha Plant vanished, and only Kirby remained behind in the dark, the gem inside him taking effect. The shattered Galeem Locks from Marth, Villager, and Sheik flew right into Kirby with the Spirits that took control of the three rescued friends, turning the pink puffball's eyes into a glowing white before exiting out of his body. The area around Kirby brightened, and the landscape transformed again.

Kirby slowly woke up, feeling the Smash Ball on his forehead again and noticing his golden irises and rainbow aura. The pink puffball looked around as he adjusted his eyesight, seeing that he was back in the land of Arcus, though it was somewhat different. A young, golden-coated dragon infant ran right through Kirby's body, playing with his other two friends with a blue rubber ball. Kirby looked around, amazed by what he saw. The pink puffball was in the middle of a large town populated by dragons, and there were many different huts and caves to live in. The city of dragons also seemed to coexist with nature as there were trees and flowers growing within. As Kirby watched the dragons being friendly and peaceful, playing with different animal friends and each other, the pink puffball noticed they were all uniquely different, no matter how similar. Kirby stopped for a brief moment to take a look at a crimson-coated dragon in the middle of the cobblestone street to entertain a small group of dragon infants. His golden-coated wings started glowing with red flames, and with a mighty breath shot an impressive blast into the air. The dragon's breath whizzed up into the air, exploding the sky with multi-colored fireworks, and the sparks drifted down from up above in the form of golden butterflies, disappearing into ashes before they even touched the ground. It was a sight to behold. Kirby then suddenly looked behind himself, and he saw Metallio and Toropikaru with their children, though they seemed to be a little older than when they first hatched but still being as playful and energetic.

"Daddy?" Ultima asked, trying to learn how to fly as she flapped her multi-colored wings. "Where are we going?"

"We're heading to the Dragosmo Solstice," Metallio answered, grabbing and placing his daughter on his back with his mouth.

"We've been talking and planning this for a year now," Toropikaru chuckled, nuzzling into Ultima and making her giggle. "Every ten years, in a coming of age, our Minister arrives from the Sky Temple, giving his word that he has chosen new guardians of Arcus." Ultima's two brothers, Galeem and Phoenix, ran to their parents, anxious and ready to experience this once-in-a-lifetime event.

"If there's gonna be a new protector of this planet, it's going to be me!" Galeem spoke, determined as he ran right in front of Toropikaru and Metallio.

"No, it is going to be me," Phoenix objected, playfully rubbing Galeem's face with his front paws.

"Now, now, children," their mother spoke. "Simply being elected as a new guardian isn't going to be enough. You need to be truthful in strength, wisdom, speed, courage, loyalty, forgiveness, and teamwork. It's a lot harder than it sounds, so keep that in mind."

"Your mother does have a point," Metallio spoke, hoisting Ultima off his back with his tail so she could walk on her own. "Any dragon can sign up to be a Dragosmo, but only few can make it. However, defending the planet also comes with the balance between the darkness and the light…"

"Mommy! Daddy! Look! They're starting!" Ultima exclaimed, running to where the Dragosmo Solstice was taking place. On her four legs, the black-coated dragon infant with rainbow-colored wings waited behind the large crowd of dragons for her family to catch up to her. She and her two brothers perched on their mother's head, trying to catch a good glimpse of the big event. There was a humongous tree stump that stretched out twenty feet around, and two white-coated dragons with golden wings walked to the front of the crowd. They were coated in golden armor, grabbing the mouthpieces of their trumpets with their muzzles, blowing into those instruments for a special announcement. Kirby, passing through all those dragons like a ghost, walked to the front of the crowd to climb onto the large stump and see what was going on. The pink puffball watched, seeing seven dragons falling from beyond the clouds, spreading their wings and dancing in the sky. Their colors defined what elements they had for their breath. The red dragon was breathing fire; the orange dragon created a dust cloud of earth and dirt; the yellow dragon zipped through the sky with lightning particles; the green dragon conjured up seeds and spores, exploding into a shower of leaves and flowers; the blue dragon created small storms around itself, dancing around in the wind; the indigo dragon spurted a blast of water into the sky, raining down from above before collecting and absorbing into its wings; the violet dragon flew high into the air, unleashing beautiful blasts like magic. These seven dragons were flying in the form of their solstice dance, coloring the sky in many colors. For their big finish, the seven dragons all flew high into the air, creating a blast of light before flying off in different directions, leaving behind their chosen elements levitating in the air as they glowed bright, leaving the sky in a rainbow-like spectrum.

The crowd of dragons cheered, and Kirby felt amazed by what he saw. The pink puffball looked behind himself, seeing that Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix with their parents were enjoying this a lot. Inside the white blast in the sky, the Dragosmo Minster flew from down below. He had a rather long beard colored light gray as his facial hair, and he sported large, quartz horns. The Minister's armor was lightly tinted with pink, daffodil, and cyan, and his eyes gleamed a deep brown. Once he landed, the two dragons that were blowing the trumpets stepped out of the way.

"All hail Ceresor, Lord of the Arcus Dragons and Balancer of Darkness and Light!" one of the white-coated dragons clad in golden armor spoke. The large crowd of dragons cheered, and Kirby was looking at the elderly beast in awe. Coughing, Ceresor pulled out a scroll from his back with his mouth, unfolding it once he laid it down on the ground and straightened the paper with his front paws.

"Citizens of Arcus," Ceresor spoke in a slightly wheezing voice, reading off the scroll. "It has come to my intention that after years of intense training for my students, I have finally decided who will be joining me in the halls of the Sky Temple, looking down from up above for any sign of danger that would surely throw our world into damnation." The dragons in the large audience cheered, ready to hear who was going to be announced.

"We sure have hit a lucky streak this year," Ceresor continued reading, "considering how hard these new warriors have studied. And the winners this decade are…" A young drummer dragon with tiny lavender wings and baby blue scales fluttered onto the stage, making a drum roll with his two front paws with his sticks. The dragon audience and Kirby were curious on who won this year, and the Dragosmo Minister cleared his throat to announce the new guardians.

"…the Miraculous Seven," Ceresor finished, spreading his quartz-coated wings. With a loud applause from the crowd of dragons, Kirby heard the soaring of the seven dragons that appeared before, flying high into the air and creating another rainbow-colored blast in the sky with their elemental breaths. The seven dragons then landed down onto the stage, standing in front of Ceresor. With a small breath, the Dragosmo Minister created special, dragon-shaped badges for each member of the Miraculous Seven. Each of the new guardians' parents ran onto the stage to greet their children, so proud of them. As the audience cheered for their new protectors, Kirby noticed Metallio and Toropikaru walking away from the Dragosmo Solstice with their three children, and the pink puffball followed them off the stage, still unnoticed by the dragons even though he was in plain sight.

"You should've seen the way they flew through the air with their powers like pew, pew-pew-pew, pew, BOOM!" Galeem laughed, running to his brother and sister.

"And the way they had finished with that blast was… incredible," Phoenix spoke, rubbing Galeem's head with his black-coated paw.

"That was amazing!" Ultima exclaimed with joy, hopping up into the air and fluttering as hard as she could to her parents. Toropikaru and Metallio merely chuckled when they noticed their offspring enjoyed that display and solstice.

"I wanna be a Dragosmo when I grow up," Ultima said to her parents, lying on her father's back on her stomach.

"I don't know, really," Toropikaru objected, throwing the three dragon children into a bit of question. "It's hard work being a guardian of Arcus, and there's this thing trying to balance the darkness and the light…"

"Mommy, please?" Ultima asked beggingly.

"Yeah, what's wrong with being a Dragosmo?" Galeem asked, standing up for his sister.

"Well, mother?" Phoenix asked, agreeing to his siblings.

"Hmmm…" Toropikaru replied, "…maybe ask your father." The two brothers hopped onto their father's back to meet up with Ultima, and Metallio looked at them, chuckling.

"We'll see," Metallio answered. "Maybe when you learn how to fly, you can train to be a Dragosmo." The three little dragons jumped off their father's back, excited.

"This is going to be so awesome!" Galeem laughed, hugging his brother.

"It sure is," Phoenix answered.

"However, just be careful," Metallio warned. "I've had a few close friends who knew about their friends becoming Dragosmos. They've had tales of learning about big responsibilities to take, and they would have to accept reality to deal with their troubles, and they would have to let go of the past to make way for the future..." Phoenix and Galeem did not listen as they kept telling what they would do once they become Dragosmos, perched on Toropikaru's back. Only Ultima paid attention to her father's warning, understanding every word of it at such a young age.

Kirby stood behind the family walking back to their cave, wondering what this could mean. Just then, the Smash Ball on his forehead started glowing again, and the environment around the pink puffball turned white. Things grew dark again for Kirby.

As the pink demon was slowly waking up, he felt the Villager he rescued poke him with a stick. Quickly hopping up as waking from a nightmare, Kirby looked around, noticing Villager's eyes were back to normal and Magolor's was nowhere to be seen inside the Mayor of Smashville. Villager hugged Kirby, happy that he was back and ready to take revenge against the Seraph of Order.

"Poyo-poyo-poyo-po…" Kirby spoke, glad to see Villager again. The pink puffball suddenly remembered something: a warning from the Werewolf about a Master Hand blocking off pathways. Scared, Kirby quickly broke the hug with Villager, running back to the pathway into the ruins. However, his cuddly pink face squished against something invisible. Kirby looked to his right, seeing Piranha Plant with Sheik and Mario with Marth, the two of them split up by something. In front of the six warriors was a Master Hand, laughing with a malicious voice.

"Looks like you're merely just rats caught in a trap," the Master Hand spoke. "It was originally said that whichever fighter you rescue the other two paths will close off, but… seeing as how you broke the rules, you're split from each other again. Good luck trying not to die." Laughing evilly, the Master Hand warped away from the ruins, and the six fighters discovered what was keeping them apart: three invisible barriers blocking their way back into the ruins and to each other.

"We can-a do this, Kirby!" Mario yelled to the pink puffball teamed up with Villager. "All we have to do is keep going. We'll meet up again once we're near the Northern Barrier. Okay?" Kirby nodded, but he suddenly heard his watch-like device beeping. Pressing the red button, the pink demon heard Faker's voice.

"Kirby!" Faker spoke over the transmission, the voice becoming more staticky. "Are you okay? We've heard something happened to you guys! Stay still- wait a minute- you're breaking up- you're not showing up on the map anymore- take care of my gift from me to you, okay Kirby?- #$ !$" The transmission ended in static, cutting off connection between the fighters and the Undying Light. Kirby looked at Villager, scared. The pink puffball then nodded with determination, running off with the Mayor of Smashville. Piranha Plant and Sheik walked off in separate paths too, and Mario traveled with Marth down the road they were now stuck on. Though on different trails cut off from each other, the six warriors all had one goal: to rescue their friends and bring down the threat that destroyed their world.

Chapter 33: The Phantom Thief of Hearts

Summary:

As Mario and Marth walk near a pit filled with giant mushrooms, a surprise guest arrives and saves them from certain doom. Let's just say Galeem's forces... never saw him coming.

Chapter Text

Heading to some sort of chasm, Mario traveled with Marth, who was back to normal, near the edge of the pit, looking down at the sheer blackness from below. The red plumber, worried, turned to his blue-haired comrade.

"You worried?" Marth asked, putting away his Exalted Falchion. Mario nodded, looking at the humongous mushrooms filling the chasm.

"Kirby and that new Piranha Plant friend of his just saved me," Mario answered, sitting down near the ledge. "Why can't this world-a keep us together for once?" The Hero-King pondered the red plumber's answer for quite a while before sitting down next to him. Marth then placed a hand on Mario's back, knowing about the brave choice he made.

"That's known as multi-tasking," Marth replied, "and it was a pretty wise decision splitting up when you knew the other two paths would close if you would reawaken me, Sheik, or Villager." Mario looked up, satisfied with Marth's decision.

"Yeah," Mario said. "I guess you're right…" Suddenly, from the steep sides of the outside of the path Marth and Mario were traveling on, a wild clamoring started storming through the forest. Emerging from the bushes and trees, the Mii Fighters under Galeem's control rode on the back of the Cascade Kingdom raptors, pulling out their weapons and surrounding the two fighters.

"Mamma-mia," Mario growled, pulling up his fists. "Can't they just give us a break-a?"

"Only one way to find out!" Marth exclaimed, unsheathing the Exalted Falchion from his side. As the raptors were circling around the red plumber and the Hero-King, their mounters pointing their weapons, they started laughing in many different pitches of voices: some high, others low.

"Sic 'em, boys!" a Mii Brawler shouted, riding his raptor with the others. Once both Marth and Mario jumped in the air, ready to fight, a bright light flashed on another Mii Fighter. It came without sudden warning: both the Mii Fighter and her raptor mount were knocked back, and the two of them fell down into the supposedly-bottomless pit filled with giant mushrooms. The rest of the Mii Fighter troops looked over the edge, surprised by what happened. Even Mario and Marth were confused.

Before any more of the possessed Mii Fighters knew what was going on, an incoming parade of bullets flew right towards Galeem's troops, forcing Marth and Mario to duck. Some of the Mii Fighters and their raptors were hit, but a few Mii Gunners managed to reflect the bullets to where they came from. There, dodging some of the bullets he fired, was a man cloaked in black. He had hair as silky and dark as a raven, and his long coat seemed to fly behind him as he ran towards the Mii Fighters, pulling out some sort of knife. He had gloves as red as blood, and on his face was some sort of eye mask colored white with black markings. The stranger then jumped high into the air, his leather boots kicking into some of the Mii Fighters, causing most of the raptors to retreat into the woods. A swarm of Galeem's Mii Fighters glared at the stranger clad in black playing with his knife with their glowing-red eyes. Before they even laid a hand on the mysterious man as they rushed towards him, their target pulled away his mask, revealing blue flames emerging from his face.

"Persona!" he shouted. Through a mighty blast, a strange creature made out of blue flames with orange ones where his eyes should be appeared behind the black-clothed man, spreading his wing-like arms.

"I am thou, thou art I," the creature spoke with the voice of a god. "Show the strength of thy will, and rage against all challengers!" With a powerful yell, the black-clothed stranger set his fists the same glowing-blue as the creature he called forth, pulling out his knife with a powerful slash, knocking back the Mii Fighters and raptors. Once Galeem's troops knew they could not match this man's strength no matter how many of them there were, the Mii Fighters ran towards their raptors, who were running off into the woods. The glowing-blue flames disintegrated, and the black-clothed stranger placed his mask back on his face, putting away his knife back in his coat. When he looked back, he noticed Mario and Marth standing up, staring at him with shocked eyes and gaping mouths.

"And what are you looking at?" the black-clothed stranger asked, stroking his raven-black hair.

"That was amazing what you did there," Marth answered, trembling. "I've never seen anybody attack quite as ferocious as you."

"We just wanna congratulate you," Mario replied, shaking the black-clothed stranger's hand. "Thanks-a, Mr.… Uhhh…"

"Please," the stranger said, pulling away his hand. "I don't really like revealing my name to other strangers, but you can simply call me… Joker."

"Joker, huh?" Marth asked, surprised by this stranger they found out of nowhere. "Well, I'm Marth, and this is Mario. We're looking for our friends, who've been taken captive under Galeem. Think you can help us?" Joker merely took a few steps forward after turning around, stopping when he heard Marth talk about Galeem.

"You know about this Galeem person?" Joker responded, his arms folded across his chest.

"That's right-a, and we're getting everyone back for the final battle," Mario answered, curious about the warrior they just came across. "Hey… how come we've never seen you around here before?"

"Here before what?" Joker asked.

"We had never seen you or that Piranha Plant before on our team back in Arcadia or in the Galeem Void," Mario continued, "and yet somehow, you're fighting alongside us, side-by-side, even though we've never known you passing the test of Arcadia's Master Hand." Joker placed a finger on his own chin.

"You say you were taken captive under Galeem, right?" Joker asked. "Who was the only one of your group to escape?"

"Kirby," Marth answered. "He was the only one to warp out of here in time, saving himself from those beams of light." Joker merely laughed at that response, confusing Mario and Marth more.

"You thought that pink puffball could do it alone with that woman friend of his, a generic plant, and that group of misfit Spirits?" Joker asked.

"How did you know Kirby was a pink-?" Mario asked before Joker placed his gloved finger on the red plumber's lips.

"The whole world of Gallia knows about Kirby at this point, and the Forgotten Resistance has been the talk of the planet," Joker interrupted. "I've been getting gossip, knowing everything. Let's just say that… Kirby was not the only survivor." Mario stepped back, surprised by Joker's answer as he walked back to Marth.

"How do I explain this…?" Joker said, rubbing his head. "You see, during Galeem's invasion on the multiverse, almost everyone we know has been disintegrated, transformed into Spirits. Even the dead could not rest from that bastard as literally all things that we know and don't know existed were taken under his rule, forced to work for him as long as they were consumed by the light. I thought all hope was gone for me as Galeem's beams were about to get me just like they got my friends. However, I used everything I got, including my Personas-"

"Personas?" Marth interrupted.

"They're hidden powers," Joker answered, "and I'm not going to tell you what they are because I don't care."

"Anyway," Joker continued, "I managed to use my abilities and Personas, trying to stay alive as the light consumed everything. I kept fighting and running until the beams of light were gone and the environment blinded me. Before I knew it, I was floating in space. I looked around, noticing the Spirits dancing in the cosmos. Just as I expected, five more warriors that clearly kept their bodies were around me, and that Piranha Plant was one of them. I could've probably expected the Piranha Plant must've been the only one of his kind to probably hide in a pipe in time, but the other four… I don't really know how they did it. Before any one of us could figure out what was going on, Kirby on the Warp Star appeared out of nowhere, knocking us into a collision course with the planet we were floating around in: Gallia. We were split up, and I found myself utterly alone, trapped in a strange environment where it's hunt or be hunted, and where Spirits, corrupted Mii Fighters, and the Subspace Army dominate."

"So… wait," Mario asked once Joker finished. "You weren't engulfed by any of those beams of light, keeping your body as well as your memories of your homeland and backstory, along with Piranha Plant and four others?"

"That's correct," Joker answered, a smile on his face. Mario looked at Marth, wondering about this. After a short period of silence, Mario took Marth by the arm, the two of them talking this out over Joker.

"I don't-a think we can-a trust this guy," Mario quietly objected. "He might be one of Galeem's servants, and he might have been pretend-fighting with those Miis to get our attention."

"I highly doubt it was pretend," Marth whispered. "After all, I know fake expressions when I see them, and the expressions on those Miis' faces were NOT fake. It's as if they had never seen this stranger before…"

"He doesn't look friendly," Mario replied, still whispering. "I mean, none of us, excluding Kirby, were able to survive Galeem's attack. There's no way Piranha Plant and that… guy… we just met be two of the few survivors alongside our only hope out of this planet! You can't admit they're good just by looking at them!"

"And you can't admit they're bad too with a single glance," Marth whispered in objection. Mario bit his lip, knowing he lost the argument. Both Marth and Mario then turned toward Joker, ready to come with their decision.

"Well?" Joker asked.

"We were talking about you, and we thought you might not be trustworthy," Mario answered, looking down with guilt. "However, since Galeem's forces might be back, we have no choice but to have you join our team-a. Welcome aboard, Joker." The black-clothed thief smirked, glad he is joining with two peculiar warriors. As Joker shook hands with Marth, Mario walked down the path they were stuck on, shaking his head as he facepalmed himself.

"Do you guys hear that?" Joker asked, pulling out his knife. Marth and Mario heard it too, and they heard something coming from the forest. Though the rustling was not as big as the last time, the three kept their guards up. Walking out of the bushes was Zelda in the clothes that she wore in Skyloft. By her side, Richter clothed in dark blue walked next to her. Their heads were hung low as they slowly approached the group of warriors. Once they lifted up their heads, both Zelda and Richter revealed glowing-red eyes, triggering Marth and Mario.

"These your friends?" Joker sarcastically asked.

"They look like our friends, but they are solely created in the likeness of our friends and serve the Seraph of Order only," Marth answered. "Whatever you do, don't approach them unless you want to get into a fight." Joker merely shook his head, watching Mario and Marth clench their fists as the Zelda and Richter Supporters walked closer to them.

"That's not how you dumbasses fight these guys," Joker told Mario and Marth. "Let me show you how it's done." With a smirk on his face, his gray-colored eyes hidden from his mask, Joker walked up to Galeem's puppets, pulling out his pistol.

"Hey, you guys lost?" Joker teased the Supporters, changing his bullets hidden in his sleeves. "I can tell you're nervous. Don't be scared. Everyone has to afraid at some point." The possessed warriors kept looking at Joker as he approached them.

"You wanna dance?" Joker asked, hiding his pistol in his coat. "Then I'll show you how we dance." The Supporters stood in their battle stances, ready to fight the stranger that scared off an entire group of Mii Fighters riding Cascade Kingdom raptors.

"Did he just quote… Bayonetta?" Mario asked.

"I don't think Joker knows who Bayonetta is," Marth answered, scratching his head. "Even then, I don't think he cares about stealing one-liners…"

"Watch and learn, Math and Mayro," Joker said, grabbing ahold of the Richter Supporter and putting him in a headlock.

"It's Marth and Mario!" Mario yelled, about to warn Joker of the Zelda Supporter ready to strike with a fiery blast. Luckily, Joker managed to place the hilt of his knife on Zelda's neck before she laid a hand on him. With a mighty rumble, Mario and Marth knew what was going to happen next. Pieces of the ground Joker was standing on ascended into the air with the Phantom Thief of Hearts with the puppet fighters, creating another UV sphere around them. The Supporter Richter vanished in Joker's clutches soon after.

In Joker's point of view, the background turned into the Hyrule Field when it was taken over by the Twilight Realm. Trees and darkened clouds formed in the distance, and Hyrule Castle was seen in the background. The stage itself turned into a battlefield version of the Bridge of Eldin, creating three floating platforms above him. In front of Joker, the Supporter Zelda stood before him. The puppet fighter then conjured up Din's Fire in her hands, launching a small flame towards the Phantom Thief of Hearts. Just when it was about to explode into a burst, Joker jumped out of the way in time, landing with an epic pose.

"So, you wanna fight fire with fire, huh?" Joker asked, watching the Supporter Zelda create another burst of flame. After the puppet fighter unleashed Din's Fire again, Joker managed to dodge in time.

"My turn," Joker growled, taking off his mask. From behind him, the Persona Arsene appeared behind him, using the move Dream Needle. A large needle shot right towards the puppet fighter, dealing slight damage in total as it flew right into her. Even though it dealt light damage, it wasn't enough to put her to sleep. Joker then put back his mask, rushing in and slashing with his knife. He began jabbing the Supporter Zelda, not worthy to finish without a bang of his pistol right into her chest. Though the puppet fighter was down, she was not out as she jumped back onto the stage with Farore's Windfall.

After the Supporter Zelda grabbed onto the stage, she took ahold of Joker as he was about to fire his pistol again. She started using her powers to pummel Joker, throwing him high into the air. However, Joker managed to take off his mask again, landing onto the ground. Blue flames emerged from his face, summoning the Persona Asterius. As the Supporter Zelda ran towards Joker, he used the Persona he had in hand and made it use the move Titanomachia, creating a flame pillar just below her. The Supporter Zelda tried using Nayru's Love to reflect the attack, but to no avail as she was launched with high damage. Out of nowhere, the Supporter Richter was called to her aid, launching his signature Cross move at Joker after he put on his mask and pulled out his knives. With a grab from the puppet fighter's Vampire Killer, Joker felt himself flung towards the Supporter Richter, pummeled while the Supporter Zelda kept using Din's Fire, raising the damage that was impacted on the Phantom Thief of Hearts. Once he was thrown in front of the two Supporters, Joker quickly got up, taking off his mask again. With his Persona Izanagi Picaro, he used the move Cross Slash, followed by two bright intersecting lines on the two puppet fighters before putting on his mask again and starting to jab with his knives. The Supporter Zelda still kept using Din's Fire, jumping from platform to platform as Joker was busy with the Supporter Richter.

After Richter launched Joker off the Battlefield version of the Bridge of Eldin, the Phantom Thief of Hearts took off his mask again, calling forth the Persona Tsukiyomi Picaro, recovering with Abyssal Wings. Once Joker hopped back onto the stage, he grabbed the Supporter Richter, avoiding another Din's Fire, and throwing the puppet fighter off. As if it was nothing, Joker placed his white-and-black eye mask on his face, unleashing a downward slash with his knife and sending the Supporter Richter to a meteor smash death. Once Joker got back onto the stage, the Supporter Zelda was waiting for him, her hands ablaze. Since she was at high percent, Joker had no trouble grabbing her thanks to Persona Arsene and throwing her behind himself, straight into the blast zone. The stage crumbled underneath Joker once he was finished, and the Phantom Thief of Hearts felt himself levitating in place as if he was restrained. The UV sphere vanished, and Mario and Marth watched as Joker was floating in front of the Supporter Zelda, crumbling away into Shadow Bugs as the Spirit behind all this was revealed: a glowing-green Charlotte Aulin, merely the Normal Advanced type. A Spirit Sniper formed in Joker's hands, and a barrier was created around the Spirit. While the force field kept spinning, Joker noticed a small hole guarantying a perfect win if he hits. Taking careful aim, Joker managed to snipe the Spirit perfectly, free from the levitation as he landed, striking a pose. The three fighters then noticed the rescued Spirit simply floating off into the distance.

"And that's how you skin a cat, or clone, or whatever…" Joker answered, adjusting the mask on his face and putting away his knife and pistol.

"Thanks for taking care of those two for us," Marth replied.

"What I want to ask is-a… if Kirby's not here because of that stone inside his body, then where did the Spirit-a go?" Mario asked. Joker looked at the direction Charlotte Aulin flew off to, knowing something.

"I believe I know where," Joker answered. "Come on." The Phantom Thief of Hearts then ran off in the Spirit's direction, followed by Marth and Mario. After a minute or two of traveling, the three fighters came across some sort of town.

"This is where the Spirit we just rescued is staying?" Mario asked.

"Yup," Joker answered. "While I've been looking for this strange stone you recently admitted is inside Kirby, the Spirits I've managed to save are taking refuge here. However, since I'm trapped in this barrier with you guys, the best we could do is look around the town and ask questions on how to get us out of here…" Joker then walked down the pathway they were on with Mario and Marth, heading to the gateway.

"What do you mean I can't pass through those gates!?" Joker asked the town guards. This was all taking place after some time had went by and he was told he can't go through. The two Normal Spirits who were guarding the gates were an Advanced Buliara and a Novice Booker.

"We were told about Supporters and Primaries invading close to Morrowsville," Booker answered, the anipromorphic police dog from the Villager's and Isabelle's world standing in front of the barred doors.

"To avoid any sudden attacks and captures in our peaceful refuge town, we've made sure no one gets in or out," Buliara said, the Gerudo guard feeling sorry for the three fighters who could not pass.

"I'll tell you what," Buliara continued, sticking her spear into the ground. "If you and your wimpy companions look for a friend of ours, we might let you pass. However, we can't say who. You'll have to find out yourself…"

"Well, that's bullshit," Joker sighed. The Phantom Thief of Hearts then walked back to Marth and Mario, taking off his eye mask. For the first time, his face was not set on supernatural flames.

"This world is clearly not the one I grew up in," Joker told the two fighters. "Got any other plans? I know you've been here for quite a while…"

"Defeating gods behind-the-scenes of world destruction? Rules and laws of this planet changing and alternating over time after one's defeat? We've got nothing either," Mario answered. Just then, the three warriors heard beeping from Mario's watch-like device, which was still on his wrist.

"What was that?" Joker asked, putting on his mask.

"I think it's the Undying Light crew," Mario answered. "Wait right here." With a press of a button, the incoming transmission rang out with Faker's voice.

"Thank God you're alright, Mario," Faker spoke over the gadget. "We've been trying for hours to at least break through to you. We couldn't find Kirby or Piranha Plant, no matter how hard we attempted."

"It's okay, Faker," Mario answered. "I've managed to find a couple more companions. We'll be up there shortly." With a press of the button, Mario ended the transmission and took off the watch-like device.

"Joker, Marth, place your wrists together," Mario told the other two fighters.

"…Why?" Marth asked, sticking out his right arm. Joker did like Marth did, their wrists touching each other. Mario then placed his arm above the other two, wrapping the watch-like device around their wrists. With three presses of the gadget, Mario, Marth, and newly-found Joker started glowing blue, transporting themselves up above in the sky, heading towards the Undying Light.

After the teleportation, the three fighters were back on the ship's deck, where Faker was waiting for them in her dragon armor. Marth and Joker felt a little nauseous after their return back to the Undying Light, but they tried adjusting to the slightly-lowered gravity from being in the sky. The sun was setting just in time, its orange-golden rays shining on the horizon.

"Faker!" Mario said, taking off the watch-like device. "We were stuck on that planet, waiting for an answer. By the way, Sticks-a said that Flynn's accident with the transporting machine would leave us grounded and it would take at least a week to repair…"

"Well, Professor E. Gadd's a brilliant man despite lacking a body," Faker answered, rubbing her head. "He managed to kink it up so it could work on your device." The brown-skinned warrior then noticed Joker simply standing there, unaware of what was going on.

"Are we on… the ship of the Forgotten Resistance?" Joker asked, flipping his short, raven-black hair. For the first time, Faker felt her heart skip. Never had she seen someone as handsome as the Phantom Thief of Hearts, and her cheeks were burning red.

"Uh… M-Mario?" Faker stammered, tugging on Mario's overalls. "Who's this mysterious man?"

"That's Joker," Marth answered for Mario. "We just found him when we were ambushed. He wouldn't tell us his story of how he got here and just showed up…" Faker then let go of Mario's overalls, slowly walking over to Joker. Even when his mask was covering his face, the Phantom Thief of Hearts still looked intimidating.

"Do you mind if I… show you to your headquarters…?" Faker asked, her nervousness clearly showing as she held his blood-red gloved hand, looking away.

"Gladly," Joker replied. Faker then started taking Joker inside the ship, covering her face with her hand as she dared not to look at the mysterious warrior.

"Do you think Faker has some sort of crush on a complete stranger?" Mario asked, confused by the black-haired, brown-skinned warrior blushing when she looked at Joker.

"Have you heard the old saying 'love at first sight'?" Marth answered in the form of a question. "I think that's what it was…" As the sun was setting and the light turned into a violet dusk, Mario leaned against the rim of the deck with Marth, looking down on the blackened land below.

"Kirby, Villager, Piranha Plant, Sheik, wherever you are, I hope you're all-a safe," Mario sighed, worried about their safety. Meanwhile, inside the ship, Faker managed to show Joker to the bed with about a hundred beds.

"Welcome to your new home," Faker said, opening the door and flipping the switch. As the lights buzzed on, the Phantom Thief of Hearts looked around, noticing the beds that were laid out evenly, and some were even bunked on top of each other. He wasn't impressed by the common beds next to the wall, but the thing that truly caught his attention was the humungous poster on the opposite side of the room. Joker slowly walked to the cutout drawings taped on, set against a beautiful background. Faker then walked up next to Joker, looking at the poster.

"You like it?" Faker asked, making sure the Phantom Thief of Hearts was not making eye contact with her. "Kirby drew it all by himself, back when he had no one to remember when he first got on here…"

"I can see it was all crayon," Joker answered. "Judging by the fact all the pink puffball could draw is scribbles on paper, this is true art at its finest." Faker looked down on the ground, wanting to hear his compliment again. Joker then noticed the Piranha Plant in the poster, taped against the wall as the craft materials were lying on the floor.

"Did Kirby draw that carnivorous flower into the picture too?" Joker asked.

"No, actually," Faker responded. "The Piranha Plant drew himself, and it looks nearly identical to what Kirby created. You can put yourself in the picture if you like. It doesn't hurt to be one of the gang…"

"I understand," Joker said. "Thanks for your time, miss." As the Phantom Thief of Hearts glanced at Faker with gray eyes, the brown-skinned warrior quickly ran out of the room, her face gleaming red.

"You're welcome!" Faker answered, slamming the door. As soon as Faker was out, she felt her head spinning as she wiped it of her sweat. Her heart was beating fast, knowing that Joker looked so handsome and didn't want to tell him yet. Inside the room, Joker sat down on the floor, taking out the crayons and paper.

Deep in the Galeem Void, the Seraph of Order was sitting on some sort of crystal throne, watching Joker draw himself in the likeness of the poster on the wall through a magical mirror. Out of fury, Galeem pulled on the Chains of Light, dragging Tabuu along with them. Once the God of Construction got up, he knew Galeem had something to say.

"What is it this time, master?" Tabuu sighed, his butterfly-like wings wilting.

"You were quite positive that with the Off-Waves, you reverted everyone I had captured so far into my personal slaves, correct?" Galeem told Tabuu.

"That's true," Tabuu answered, looking away in regret.

"Then explain to me this," Galeem said, harshly tugging on Tabuu's Chains of Light as he pulled the God of Construction next to him. With one of the Seraph of Order's outstretched wings fiercely pushing Tabuu towards the magical mirror, the two gods knew who Galeem was referring to: a mysterious, black-clothed man cutting out a beautiful picture of himself in an epic battle pose and taping himself to the poster on the wall.

"These two new companions – Joker and Piranha Plant – claimed that they were few of six warriors that had survived my attack outside of Kirby, according to the Phantom Thief of Hearts," Galeem explained. "Tell me, Tabuu… how come it was possible for them to avoid the light and not even pass the test of Arcadia's Master Core?" Tabuu looked away, confused by the question as well.

"I… think there were a few lucky survivors," Tabuu answered with no other explanation. "Whoever they are, you would have to get rid of them, and fast…" Galeem floated off his crystal throne, wondering about the situation.

"King Bulbin!" Galeem called. Through the Seraph of Order's command, the leader of the Bokoblins walked in on his warthog steed, surrounded by the corrupted Mii Fighters riding the raptors and other dinosaurs from the Cascade Kingdom, as well as his own troops of Bokoblins.

"Tell Balder and the Subspace Army in the Marth route to take extra precautions," Galeem ordered King Bulbin. "Afterwards, bring in Galleon to take care of these fighters." Walking off, King Bulbin took the Seraph of Order's command, riding off with his troops and the Miis. As they marched off into the darkness, Galeem and Tabuu watched through the magical mirror as Joker was looking around the room he was in, admiring the small pictures on the desk with the put-out oil lamp: one with two parent dragons with their three babies, the other a photo taken ten years ago with the words "Smash Bros. 2008" drawn on it with permanent marker.

Chapter 34: The Thousand-Faces Swordfighter

Summary:

After rescuing Sheik, Piranha Plant travels with his companion down wherever the road takes them.

Chapter Text

Heading up north, Piranha Plant traveled with Sheik, who was back to normal, through another grassy field that seemed to go on forever. Luckily, the two of them still stayed on the path, looking for a way out of the barrier.

"It's strange that I was rescued by a generic plant," Sheik said, with the Piranha Plant turning his head towards her in response. "I give you my deepest congratulations, either way…" Piranha Plant growled happily, heading to some sort of village. The houses speckled in the field all had brick-red roofs, finished off with cobblestone paths.

"We might get some help in there," Sheik told Piranha Plant. "Follow me." However, before the two warriors took another step, an indigo-furred Supporter Sonic with green cuffs fell from the sky at lightning-speed. The puppet fighter glared at Sheik and Piranha Plant with glowing-red eyes, instantly shifting his body into a metal coat and spawning jets on his back. After surprising the two fighters, the Supporter Sonic grabbed ahold of their necks, flying up into the air. Once the puppet fighter was at the right height, he threw Piranha Plant and Sheik onto a floating stage, followed by the UV sphere forming around it. The stage the three were fighting on was Windy Hill Zone, complete with peculiar flowers and miniature animals that looked more like collectable figurines.

"Think fast, plant!" Sheik called out, pulling out a storm of needles. Flying into the air thanks to the jetpacks, the Supporter Sonic started spindashing right towards Piranha Plant, and thankfully the carnivorous flower reacted in time. The Piranha Plant ducked inside his flower pot, lashing out with a powerful bite at the Supporter Sonic's metal coat. As the puppet fighter jumped up into the air about to use a homing attack, Sheik used her Bouncing Fish technique from the windmill portion of the stage and kicked right at the Supporter Sonic before he could unleash the attack.

The Piranha Plant began spitting poison in the air, looking out for any sudden spindash attacks as the drops landed on the Supporter Sonic's metal coat and fizzled through. Sheik then began jabbing at the puppet fighter, knocking the metal Supporter Sonic at Piranha Plant, who just began spitting out a spiked ball.

With multiple hits, Sheik and Piranha Plant knocked the Supporter Sonic off the stage, making sure he runs out of jet fuel when he recovers by using their meteor attacks. Just as the Supporter Sonic was about to make it back to the stage, the large, red, double-sided spring appeared out of nowhere. The puppet fighter thought he could use it as an advantage to keep on fighting, but the spring instantly turned around, sending the Supporter Sonic down into the blast zone with a single touch. The stage vanished, and the two fighters dropped down on the ground. Piranha Plant looked up to see Sheik pointing a Spirit Sniper at the defeated puppet fighter, who disintegrated into Shadow Bugs and revealed the Spirit that pulled the Supporter's strings: a Normal Advanced Metal Sonic. With one shot at the spinning barrier, Sheik hit the Spirit and freed it from Galeem's clutches, and Metal Sonic then flew off towards the village just past the stone river bridge. Sheik landed on the ground, and Piranha Plant held her steady with his two big leaves.

"That was close," Sheik panted. The Metal Sonic Spirit then flew off to the village, and the two fighters remembered their location again.

"The village might be our chance for shelter," Sheik told Piranha Plant. "Shelter so that we can train ourselves to fight harder…" The Sheikah and the carnivorous flower then took the stone bridge towards the red-roofed village. However, when the two fighters entered the cobblestone streets, they saw it was deserted.

The village seemed to have been abandoned like some sort of attack happened, mainly with Galeem's troops moving ever faster. The houses themselves seemed to have been barred with wooden planks and nails from the inside. Piranha Plant and Sheik had passed the central fountain, noticing it wasn't spouting water. However, the carnivorous flower peered into the empty fountain, noticing there were some puddles of water remaining. The Sheikah looked over to observe that the puddles were fresh, and only a few hours old.

"I know, flower," Sheik said. "We would have to be careful around here…" Just then, before the two took another step, a flash of green mist appeared in front of them. The two fighters were greeted by a pair of gleaming-white eyes, and a glowing-green hand snatched the warriors before they could even react. The green mist vanished, and Sheik and Piranha Plant both ended up inbetween two houses as soon as the fog cleared. In front of the warriors, a glowing-green Spirit gleaming in a rainbow aura, one of the Master Advanced kind, was revealed to be their captor, and her name was Stealth Elf, one of the Life Element-wielders native to the Skylands.

"What do you two think you're doing here, wandering the streets like a bunch of idiots?" Stealth Elf spoke with a raspy voice. "You shouldn't be here when they're stalking us."

"Excuse me?" Sheik asked. The Master Advanced Spirit that rescued them suddenly placed one of her daggers on the Sheikah's face, shushing her.

"Shut the hell up," Stealth Elf whispered. "One of them is here." The grinding of chains startled Piranha Plant and Sheik, and the two warriors crept closer to the Skylander Spirit. There was a large monster Stealth Elf was warning them about, and it closely resembled metallic handcuffs. Its chain-like body was dragging along the cobblestone road, and its two, shackle-like claws were scratching the rocks. It passed the area where Piranha Plant and Sheik were hiding, not even hearing them as they were completely silent. As soon as the creature left, Stealth Elf quickly and quietly moved a straw trash bin next to one house to the side, opening some sort of side door.

"Get in," Stealth Elf whispered, crawling into the house. Sheik then grabbed Piranha Plant's flower pot, heading through the side door. Once the two fighters were inside the house, a Normal Advanced Spirit – Prince Ralsei – quickly moved the straw trash bin to cover the hole and locked the side door.

"Coast is clear," Stealth Elf told few of the Spirits trapped in the house with her. "They may be far away from our section of the village, but they will never stop looking for souls to capture and feed to Galeem's army."

"Thank God," a glowing-green Spirit replied, sitting on a stool next to the fireplace. He was tall and dressing in grayed-out clothes similar to Ryu's, and his name was Heihachi Mishima. Sitting near a table was another Advanced Spirit, and he was sporting a sword and a cyborg-like body, with only his face and white hair remaining visible and a cloth covering his left eye.

"Can you please tell us what's going on? Why that elf snatched us when we were minding our business?" Sheik asked, putting the Piranha Plant down onto the wooden floor.

"Because of Lord Galeem's newest and most dangerous monsters: the Shackrabs," the cyborg-like Spirit answered. "My name is Raiden, by the way. The Spirits you two are surrounded by are Prince Ralsei, Heihachi Mishima, and Stealth Elf."

"We're not getting acquainted with you people unless you tell us what are 'Shackrabs'," Sheik objected, confused by the situation.

"Galeem's troops were on the rise," Raiden explained. "Because all our worlds were wiped out by the light, were we forced to settle down on the last remaining world in the multiverse. Many of us started living in the village you're in right now. However, before the peace was about to last, the Primaries arrived. The Spirits that were elected leaders – the three Fab Fairies – tried defending us from those that worked for the Seraph of Order. As punishment for our revolution, the corrupted Mii Fighters, Subspace Army, and Shackrabs broke into the houses, capturing those that ran outside. Luckily, few of us managed to survive. Those that were enslaved were thrown into rusted cages tied to Lord Bullbo's back, including the Fab Fairies. The Primaries and few of the Supporters stayed in the village, but the Shackrabs are walking these streets as the true stalkers. No matter what we could do, no Spirit can escape or defeat a single Shackrab…"

"…Did you say there were Primaries here? In this village?" Sheik asked. The Piranha Plant looked up at the Sheikah, knowing about what she knew.

"That's right," Ralsei replied. "In fact, I thought I just saw one go up north of the village, looking like one of those… Mii Swordfighters. Is that correct?"

"Then let's get out of here and save him," Sheik said. The Sheikah then grabbed Piranha Plant's flower pot, ready to burst open the wooden planks barricading the main door of the house. However, Stealth Elf tossed one of her daggers right near the two warriors.

"Are you crazy?" Stealth Elf objected. "You go out there, you die. You better give us a good excuse why you should go after the monsters we call Primaries."

"The Primaries are our friends," Sheik answered, taking out a dagger of her own. "And we'll be going to rescue every single one of them, no matter what the cost." Piranha Plant then grabbed the wooden planks, tearing them off the wall so that Sheik could kick the main door down. Once the two fighters walked outside, a few Shackrabs started crawling towards them, hearing the loud noise coming from the house. As one Shackrab started to claw Sheik and Piranha Plant, the illusive Sheikah threw needles at its metal skin, simply bouncing off like nothing.

"Looks like we'll have to run north," Sheik said, placing Piranha Plant down onto the cobblestone road. The Sheikah then dashed off north, followed by the carnivorous flower. As the two fighters kept running in the set direction, the Shackrabs started following them, their handcuff-like claws carrying themselves at immense speeds. It felt like a minute or two, but Piranha Plant and Sheik were successfully outrunning the Shackrabs and leading them out of the village area the Spirits they met were in.

Once the two warriors were heading north, the path they were on was connecting to some sort of forest. The Shackrabs that were chasing them realized they were given orders to wander the village streets and headed back, fully tired after the chase. When Sheik and Piranha Plant walked down the path, one of the Primaries that was mentioned before was waiting for them. It was the Mii Swordfighter, the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn, glaring at them with glowing-red pupils.

"So, you've made it past the monsters Lord Galeem ordered us to send out, huh?" the Mii Swordfighter asked, with a completely different voice from his usual one. This new voice sounded more feminine, and almost shy-like.

"Bonjam," the Mii Swordfighter Primary said to Sheik and Piranha Plant. "I'm… not sure if you notice, but my name is Francisca, the General of Ice and the youngest of the three Mage Sisters of Jambandra." A brief image flashed on the Mii Swordfighter's chest, revealing an image of the Master Legendary Francisca Spirit before vanishing once more.

"I may look timid, but I will strike you both dead-cold," Francisca inside Mii Swordfighter's body spoke. "After all, because of what happened to our closest friends Lord Hyness, we have no choice but to serve the Seraph of Order. We have heard about Kirby and six other warriors escaping from the clutches of Galeem, and we are here to put an end to this. Get out of the way if you don't want to end up frozen like an icicle!"

"We will never surrender to Lord Galeem," Sheik replied, pulling out her needles. "We will never serve that monster, no matter what the cost."

"Then die," Francisca spoke, an icy blizzard emerging from the Mii Swordfighter's body. The corrupted ex-Ultimate Reborn then grabbed Sheik without a sudden reaction, tossing her high into the air while throwing the Piranha Plant into a golden cage. The Mii Swordfighter Primary then jumped towards Sheik, latching onto her and transporting her to the Final Destination.

As Sheik quickly sprung up, she saw the futuristic-looking stage, complete with charcoal-black opal and a beautiful background dancing with color. The illusive Sheikah then saw Francisca inside Mii Swordfighter's body, starting to change her physical appearance. A blue headband sporting the Jambandra symbol appeared, a wig of blue, graceful hair flowed from the Primary's crown, and an ice-coated axe replaced the sword the ex-Ultimate Reborn had before.

Sheik started the battle using some sort of flash bomb, tossing it at the Mii Swordfighter and detonating it in the Primary's face with an invisible string. The blast caused the corrupted ex-Ultimate Reborn to start slashing with the ice-coated axe, flinging large snowflakes at the illusive Sheikah. However, Sheik vanished in the air with a handful of Deku Nuts, appearing right behind the Mii Swordfighter in a flash. The Sheikah then began jabbing at the Primary Mii Swordfighter, slashing until the Spirit inside her friend had enough. With a gust of wind, Francisca yelled as she launched it at Sheik, creating a blizzard around herself.

The possessed Mii Swordfighter then ran to the end of the stage, watching Sheik charge up her storm of needles. Francisca then giggled, pulling out a water pistol. With a single shot, the Mii Swordfighter created a stream of water bouncing up and down on the stage, hitting the Sheikah with ice-cold water. The Mii Swordfighter then started floating in the air, heading to the other side of the stage when Sheik tried drying herself up. With another evil laugh, Francisca fired another stream of water, but this time Sheik dodged out of the way in time. The Primary Mii Swordfighter could not dodge out of the way in time as Sheik ended up behind the possessed warrior and began kicking harshly. However, Francisca quickly turned around, shooting another powerful stream of water in Sheik's face.

As Sheik jumped up into the air, a Screw Attack item from Samus' universe spawned right in front of her. The illusive Sheikah then equipped the item, watching out for another stream of water. As Francisca inside Mii Swordfighter's body started laughing again, Sheik jumped up close to her and spinned in the air, generating electrical sparks. The electricity instantly traveled through Francisca's water pistol and electrocuted the Primary Mii Swordfighter, paralyzing the possessed warrior. Once the Mii Swordfighter was seeing stars spin around his head, it was Sheik's chance to perform a powerful kick into the Primary, instantly winning the fight as Francisca and her choice of vessel flew into the blast zone, drenching the Final Destination in shadow once more.

While Sheik watched the Shadow Bugs cover the background around her, a Spirit Sniper generated in her hands, forcing her to point at the Primary Mii Swordfighter. Francisca emerged from her vessel, and the Master Legendary Spirit generated a barrier around herself and made it spin at a crazy-fast speed. With careful aim as the Shadow Bugs closed in, Sheik fired through the tiny hole, hitting both Francisca and the Mii Swordfighter. The Galeem Lock shattered around the Mii Swordfighter, and the shards instantly merged back into a Smash Ball, flying back into the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn. There were some wisps of white flying out of the rescued Mii Fighter, flying off into the distance.

Meanwhile, not far from the ruins, Kirby and now-reawakened Villager were walking down the path they were forced to stay on, walking down some sort of rocky cliffside. All of a sudden, the wisps of white flew right into Kirby, causing the pink puffball's eyes to glow a gleaming white. Villager was shocked to find out what happened to Kirby and tried holding the pink puffball close to him. In Kirby's head, it was the vision of the dragons.

Kirby looked at himself, feeling the Smash Ball on his forehead again and sporting the rainbow aura and golden eyes. The pink puffball then recognized he was standing in front of some sort of wooden elevator, with the green vines hanging from a floating island sky-high. There was also a group of young dragons chatting and clamoring, assigned in a group made by an adult female dragon, with her scaly coat decorated with flower markings. Metallio and Toropikaru arrived on the scene, carrying Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix on their backs. When the three siblings jumped off, they were so excited for whatever reason.

"Here we are, kids," Metallio spoke to the three children. "Your very first day of flight school."

"Geez, mommy," Ultima stammered, looking at the floating island way up in the air. "Our class sure is up so high." Toropikaru chuckled in response.

"It's alright, baby," Toropikaru answered. "Most dragons your age managed to fly perfectly within a day or two. Your father and I were that young when we were first learning how to soar through the air gracefully."

"Besides, if you three want to learn how to become like the Dragosmos of old, you would have to learn from the best of the best: Flora," Metallio spoke to Phoenix, Ultima, and Galeem. "She's one of the best fliers there are here in Arcus, and she will train you to glide through the sky with no fear."

"So we don't have to be afraid of heights to learn how to fly?" Galeem asked.

"That's all part of the adventure," Toropikaru answered. "Conquering your fears."

"Alright, class," Flora then spoke. "Gather around and pay attention."

"I think it is time," Phoenix replied to his two siblings.

"Bye, mommy and daddy!" Ultima cheered, walking off with her brothers.

"Remember: no fighting with each other or your new schoolmates!" Toropikaru called out.

"Also know this: it's not about flying with your head, but it's about flying with your heart!" Metallio said out loud to their departing children. Galeem and Phoenix were merely too excited to pay attention to their father's message, but Ultima heard every word of it as she watched her parents leave the flight school by flying into the air, remembering the message.

"Come on, sis!" Galeem called out. Ultima heard her brother calling out for her, and she obeyed as she ran off to the group of young dragons. Kirby, remaining invisible like always, walked towards the teacher and hearing about her lecture.

"Welcome to flight school," Flora spoke with a cheerful voice that brought attention to the assigned group.

"Here, you will learn how to soar through the sky like your parents and the Dragosmos," Flora continued. "Since we dragons are fast learners, the average time it would take for most dragons is about a few hours or even a day. However, it is recommended to come back here in order to learn more advanced techniques in flight. Now, let's proceed in taking the elevator into the sky island." The group of dragons then walked into the wooden elevator, with the door shutting once everyone was in, including Ultima and her brothers. Kirby, like a ghost, went into the wooden elevator without climbing over, surprised by how many young dragons there were. Flora then took off into the air towards the sky island, grabbing ahold of the vine and pulling the wooden elevator up.

The young dragons perched on top of each other, looking at the dizzy heights while taking care not to fall off. Kirby noticed the elevator ride felt like a minute or two up to the sky island. Once the wooden elevator stopped at the island, all the dragons waited for the door to open before they stepped out, each one walking to their teacher.

"Pay attention to what I have to say, students," Flora spoke, pointing to an oak dock on her right with one of her unfurled wings.

"Now, I'll be tossing you kids off the dock one at a time," Flora continued. "Once I do, this would be your chance to spread your wings and fly once you get as close to the ground as you possibly can. If you think you can't do it, don't worry. I'll catch you and bring you back here so you can try again. Most dragons around here have been reported to fly on their first try. Don't fret or throw hissy fits if you can't do it. Just take your time and keep practicing. Eventually, you'll get the hang of it. Also remember: if you can't get it first try, just wait your turn and you can go after those that already learned how to fly. Understand?"

"Yes, Ms. Flora," the young dragons all answered. Their teacher then walked to the edge of the oak dock, with the students following her.

"First up: Charchole," Flora said. A young female dragon with markings like lava and wings like flames stepped forward, confident and ready to jump. The rest of her classmates were surprised to see her take the risk in going first, including Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima. With a mighty leap, Charchole dived straight down from the sky island with Flora flying after her for safety. Once the young dragons leaned over the oak dock, Charchole soared through the air like a bullet, her wings set ablaze. She flew back to the sky island, aweing the students. Flora landed on the oak dock, ready for another dragon's turn.

"A splendid performance from Charchole," Flora replied. "Now, it's Quelsa's turn. Come on out, Quelsa. No need to be shy…" Another female dragon walked out, timid and bashful. She was looking down on the ground, avoiding eye contact with any of her classmates. Her armor was coated like ice, and her wings were shaped like the ends of snowflakes. She walked up to the oak dock, her heart beating fast as soon as she looked down on the ground below.

"Don't be afraid," Flora spoke. "I'll catch you. You can always try again once the other students are done, alright?" Quelsa nodded, terrified. With a deep breath, Quelsa jumped off, her eyes shut. Flora took off behind her, ready to catch her if she fails to lift off. A minute or two passed, and the students saw Flora flying back to the island, holding a scared Quelsa cuddling tight in her foreleg. Flora gently placed the terrified dragon on the ground, trying to calm her down.

"It's okay," Flora whispered. "I can help you fly once all the other students are done, alright?" With tears of fright in her eyes, Quelsa nodded, hugging her teacher's leg.

"Alright," Flora replied. "Now then, why don't you go play with Charchole until I call on you?" Quelsa then broke the hug with her teacher, running on all four legs past the group of classmates to the lava-marked dragon, passing through Kirby.

About an hour went by, and many of the young dragons were succeeding or failing in flying, with only Ultima and her brothers waiting for a turn.

"Next up… Phoenix," Flora spoke. The black-armored dragon with fiery wings then walked to the rim of the oak dock, jumping off with the teacher flying after him. In less than a few seconds, Phoenix began gliding in the air, leaving his sibling in awe. Even Flora had a hard time catching up with the young dragon.

"Galeem, you're up," Flora spoke. Mimicking his brother's stance, the white-coated dragon with fiery-orange and space-blue wings jumped off the dock, flying up into the air gracefully. The only one that did not get a turn yet was Ultima. As the black-coated dragon with golden eyes and rainbow-spectrum wings watched her two brothers fly off to play with the other students, Flora called for her.

"Ultima, it's your turn," Flora told her. Exhaling deeply, Ultima slowly walked to the rim of the oak dock, looking at the forest down below.

"You might wanna try hurrying up," Flora replied. "Some of the other students want to have another chance…" Ultima then gulped, taking a nice breath and closing her eyes. The young dragon then jumped off, her wings tucked into her back. Speeding as fast a bullet, Ultima kept her eyes shut, not even noticing Flora was flying behind her. Because of her fear, Ultima could not remember to open her wings. Then, she remembered the message her father told her about flying with the heart. Ultima then slowly opened up her eyes, feeling the gust of air flying into her face and drying up her eyes a bit. She watched the ground get closer to her, and she started pulling open her rainbow-spectrum wings. Before Flora could catch her, Ultima quickly shot up into the air like her brothers, taking off into the air and gently flapping her wings. All of her classmates, including Galeem and Phoenix, looked up into the air to see Ultima fly up into the air, her wings gleaming in rainbow colors as soon as she flew in front of the sun. Ultima then flew back to the group of young dragons, leaving them dazed in awe. Flora landed on the oak dock again, ready for the students that failed the first time.

"Amazing stunt preformed by Ultima," Flora cheerfully spoke. "Now then… it's time for the other students to keep practicing. Those of you that already learned how to fly, you can come back here later in the day to learn more advanced techniques." Ultima walked away from the teacher to play with the other dragons, but not until she finished congratulating her brothers.

"Nice going back there, Galeem," Ultima spoke. "You too, Phoenix."

"You were cool back there too, sis," Galeem replied. "I also couldn't forget how awesome Phoenix was back there."

"For once, I feel welcome in your family," Phoenix said. "To me, you both were amazing." The three siblings giggled, knowing their friendship would last until the end of their days. Kirby kept watching, moved by the three young dragons. Just then, the Smash Ball on the pink puffball's forehead began glowing, and the last thing Kirby heard before everything turned white was the laughter of the young dragons.

Waking up with sweat on his face, Kirby looked around, noticing he was back to normal. The Villager that he rescued was concerned about his health, hugging the pink demon tightly when he knew Kirby was okay.

"Vi…Villager," Kirby muttered, embracing the moment of comfort. After breaking the hug, both Kirby and Villager kept walking down the cliffside with determination, not afraid to get out of the last remaining world in existence.

Meanwhile, back at the village Sheik and Piranha Plant were at, the illusive Sheikah was holding an unconscious Mii Swordfighter in her arms, feeling the ex-Ultimate Reborn's heart beat nice and steady.

"He's alright," Sheik told Piranha Plant. "He's back to normal." Out of shock, Mii Swordfighter quickly shot up and pulled out his weapon, afraid of incoming enemies.

"Stand back!" Mii Swordfighter yelled, looking out for intruders. "I've got a sword and I'm not afraid to use it!" When the ex-Ultimate Reborn noticed Sheik and Piranha Plant were the ones that reawakened him.

"I… was not expecting you two here," the Mii Swordfighter said, looking at the two fighters with his normal-colored eyes. He then put away his sword back in his sheathe, placing his hands on Sheik's shoulders.

"The other two Ultimates Reborn – where are they?" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn asked. Sheik pushed away the Mii Fighter's hands, staring with brown-colored eyes.

"They're not here with us," Sheik answered. "They could still be under Galeem's control."

"And the Mii Fighter army…?" Mii Swordfighter asked.

"Still petrified and having their strings pulled by the Spirits the Seraph of Order has captured," Sheik answered again. The Piranha Plant walked up to the other two fighters, worried.

"And we're still trapped in a barrier, looking for a way out," Sheik continued. "Do you know how to escape?"

"Not really," the Mii Swordfighter answered, rubbing his shoulder. "However, I do know this: if we keep rescuing the fighters that are trapped in this path with us, there's going to be bosses to encounter. Each one of them is powering the Northern Barrier surrounding the Galeem Void. If we defeat those bosses, we can break the barrier and reunite with the rest of the gang. Hopefully…"

"Then I guess we have no time to waste," Sheik said. "Piranha Plant, Mii Swordfighter, let's go." The Sheikah then ran off back to the village, followed by her two companions.

Chapter 35: The Supersonic Slugger

Summary:

When Kirby and Villager confront a race that won't let them in, they need to rely on help underground.

Chapter Text

Traveling the route where Kirby rescued Villager, the two fighters, now split from their friends and cut from connection to the Undying Light, were climbing down the cliffside near the ruins and looking for a way out. After a few minutes of hiking, Villager and Kirby came across a large racing track, complete with rubber-black tires. On the sides of the track, there were all sorts of banners and product placement, like 1-Up Mushroom Car Insurance Group, Golden Wheel, Mario Super Motor Team, Undead Motors, and Propeller Toad Transport. The two warriors felt excited to traveling on a race track, and they were about to set foot on the road. However, Kirby accidently kicked a small pebble onto the road while running, and many different sorts of vehicles were zooming right in front of them.

Racers were driving at superfast speeds, seemingly never-ending. There was no checkered finish line, there was no audience, nothing but different racers competing against each other for no reason, and it was lucky that Villager and Kirby managed to quickly step back outside the road in time. A hand grabbed the mayor of Smashville's shoulder, and both fighters quickly turned around to see who it was. There was a glowing-yellow woman dressed in pink and red, looking down on Kirby and Villager.

"It's too dangerous to run onto the road without looking both ways before crossing," the woman spoke. Villager and Kirby looked at each other, confused.

"I'm betting you can't talk but you can understand me," the Normal Ace Spirit sighed. "My name is Jody Summer, and I'm one of Captain Falcon's friends. Those racers may not look like it, but they are nasty and rotten to the core, competing for a prize that really isn't there and spending the rest of their eternal lives on the road, never running out of fuel, never taking their feet off the gas pedals…" Kirby and Villager looked back on the race track, wondering what she meant by that.

"Besides," Jody continued, "if you want to continue with your travels, you would have to drive down this road to get to your destination. I could lend you my hovercar but seeing as how you two look underage and don't even have a driver's license, there's really nothing you can do to get through here. If an adult were to accompany you, there would be an exception as long as he or she can drive. Until then, it looks like you kids will have to scram." Kirby and Villager looked down in disappointment, but the pink puffball suddenly remembered he can create Warp Stars out of thin air, and instantly spawned one right in front of him. As Kirby and Villager quickly hopped on the Warp Star, Jody Summer merely shook her head.

"And magical stars you can create out of nothing don't count either," Jody objected. The Warp Star shattered into tiny little projectiles, and Villager and Kirby dropped onto the ground. Villager patted Kirby's back, and the two fighters walked away in grief, knowing there's no way through their destination without a vehicle suitable for racing. When the pink demon and the Smashville mayor were walking away from the race track, hearing the zooming of cars, gas explosions, and terrible swearing in the distance, they sat down on the soft, green grass, plumed out of ideas. Before any one of them knew what to do next, the ground suddenly started rumbling underneath them. Thorns emerged from the ground, surrounding Kirby and Villager. As the two young warriors knew what happened next, Flowey in his demonic state appeared from the earth, laughing maliciously.

"I told you I'd be back, kid!" Flowey hissed, staring at Kirby with soulless eyes. Villager saw the terrifying state the monster flower is in, trembling and afraid with a chopping axe in his hands.

"Now it's time we all play a little game!" Flowey continued. "You two win, you get free access to the race track you so want to pass through! Oh, don't think I didn't hear you wimps." Villager and Kirby looked at the enormous flower, accepting the challenge.

"You want to go? Okay then!" Flowey replied. Creating a barrier out of his own thorns, the flower from the Monster Realm dragged the two fighters deep underground, all the way into a small bed of daffodils. Villager looked up, seeing only a tiny speck of light from the afternoon sun. Kirby, meanwhile, watched Flowey revert back to his original form, looking as peaceful as ever.

"This is like the world I grew up in," Flowey said. "Here are a couple of pretty easy challenges for you to beat in order to find one of the many keys to finding a way out of Gallia. However… if you lose, your souls are mine and you'll be trapped with me underground FOREVER!" A devil's smile lurked on Flowey's face, slightly frightening the two young fighters.

"Good luck!" Flowey laughed, disappearing into the ground. Kirby looked back on Villager, ready to take on the challenges. As the two warriors went traveling through the darkness, a mysterious figure suddenly grabbed Villager, surprising them yet again. Kirby freaked out, pulling out a hammer set on flames. As Villager was struggling, the mysterious figure's eyes suddenly started glowing red, stepping out of the shadows. A Supporter Ness clothed in black was grabbing Villager, disappearing into the darkness and leaving Kirby alone to fight an incoming swarm of Primids which appeared out of nowhere.

Villager quickly woke up after he was let go, noticing the setting around him was some sort of futuristic race. The wind was blowing into the Smashville mayor's face, and his balance was starting to get lost. The Villager quickly held on for dear life on hovercars zooming on the track, jumping over watery graves and landing with heavy bumps. He was on the Big Blue stage. Villager quickly stood up, noticing he was standing on Captain Falcon's Blue Falcon. Standing on the Blood Hawk, right in front of Villager, was the black-clothed Ness Supporter. On his side, two more puppet fighters walked to his side – one being Fox McCloud dressed up like Wolf O' Donnell, the other being Sonic with violet quills and neon purple cuffs. Just like the hovercars, the Supporters moved at crazy-fast speeds, including Villager.

Trying to hop from the Blue Falcon to the Fire Stingray, Villager attempted on avoiding the ground, firing his slingshot at the three Supporters, who were jumping above him. The Fox Supporter began shooting lasers with his blaster, and the Sonic Supporter was about to use his homing attack. As Villager jumped out the way in time, the Support Ness unleashed PK Fire. The Smashville mayor managed to pocket the projectile and throw it back, sending the black-clothed PSI puppet fighter in front of the hovercars, and they were not slowing down once they hit the Supporter Ness.

Meanwhile, inside the mysterious underground lair, Kirby began inhaling and spitting out the first few Primids, trying to survive in the Shadow Bug swarm for as long as he could. He pulled out Sir Kibble's Cutter ability, slashing with a downward strike and cutting some of the Primids in half. With a fiery hammer, the pink demon whacked a few more, floating up into the air and landing with his Stone ability.

Back on the Big Blue stage, Villager had already just managed to knock out the Fox and Sonic Supporters, throwing them with his bug-catching net behind the hovercars and making them hit the road, instantly hitting the blast zone. The black-clothed Ness suddenly walked towards the Smashville mayor, ready to use a PK Flash since Villager was at high damage. The Villager luckily pulled out a helmet with two red balloons attached to them and floated away to the front of the hovercars, and it was only a split-second since all the fighters were moving so fast. Since the Supporters are merely created without a soul and without intelligence from another, a Spirit that was forced to possess the closest thing can either be very smart or really dumb. Either way, the Ness Supporter jumped up into the air, ready for a downward kick. Once Villager's balloons were starting to turn black, the Smashville mayor instantly took off his helmet, hopping onto the Big Blue as the puppet fighter landed on the road in front of the hovercars, unaware of what Villager was planning. After the Blood Hawk hit the Ness Supporter, Villager tossed a bowling ball onto the puppet PSI boy, instantly taking the Ness Supporter into the blast zone.

Once the Big Blue stage collapsed, Villager saw himself suspended in the air, pointing a Spirit Sniper at the Spirit behind the Ness Supporter's possession as well as the Fox and Sonic clones – a Normal Advanced Blood Falcon. A barrier formed around the Spirit, spinning around crazy as usual with only a small hole available for shooting. With a perfect snipe as usual, Villager hit Blood Falcon, freeing him from Galeem's control. The Smashville mayor then landed in the swarm of Primids next to a wounded Kirby, pulling out his cutting axe and going on a killing spree. Primid heads were decapitated, Shadow Bug juices spilled everywhere like blood, and Villager was standing next to Kirby this whole time, having the pink puffball's back even though his red shirt was stained with the dark-purple splotches of his fell victims. The surviving Primids then collapsed into Shadow Bugs, retreating into the darkness. The Blood Falcon Spirit that was rescued before went into Kirby's body, absorbed into the stone inside the pink puffball.

Putting away the axe in his magical pocket, Villager looked down on the ground to see a wounded Kirby, showing a pretty sad face as he showed caring for the pink puffball. Kirby slowly sat up, shaking his head with tears in his eyes. The both of them knew the mission to defeat Galeem was impossible since not only did he abduct, torture, and possess their friends, but he also had the Mii Fighters and Tabuu under his control, and with the God of Construction the Subspace Army and all the bosses that were hired to spread across the last remaining world. Villager, however, patted Kirby on the back, understanding that it's going to be okay, even though they were cut off from their friends and forced to split up. Grabbing Kirby's stubby hand with his own, Villager lifted Kirby onto his feet, ready to fight for the greater good, against the Seraph of Order. With the two young warriors walking down the path they were on, it was only about a few minutes before Flowey popped out of the ground again, appearing in his cute form.

"Looks like you beat the first two challenges… and at the same time too," Flowey spoke. "One last challenge to complete. Either win or suffer." Stage lights suddenly flashed on in front of the two young fighters, and a robot named Mettaton appeared from the stage, pulling out a handheld mike.

"And now... the moment you two have been waiting for…" Mettaton spoke in a robotic voice, with Flowey disappearing underground. The spotlights started swirling around in circles while a mysterious figure emerged from below the stage. The stranger's eyes were closed, so there was no telling if the figure was under Galeem's control or not.

"Your last challenge!" Mettaton cheered, pointing at the area the stranger was standing in, with the spotlights turning towards Kirby's and Villager's goal.

"Cap…Captain F…Fal…con!" Kirby stammered, with Villager holding him back.

"And not just any Captain Falcon," Mettaton continued, speeding towards the bounty hunter on one wheel. "A Captain Falcon Primary under the control of Black Shadow! And it's all under Lord Galeem's order!" Captain Falcon opened his eyes, revealing the glowing-red like all the others. An image of Black Shadow flashed on Captain Falcon's chest, letting Villager and Kirby know who they were up against.

"We wouldn't know for sure if either Galeem's slave or two kids would win, so place your bets!" Mettaton finished before Black Shadow in Captain Falcon's body grabbed the talk show-host robot.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Black Shadow's voice spoke, ripping Mettaton's circuits out and tossing the remains onto the floor. "I think these two boys get the idea…" The Captain Falcon Primary then looked at Kirby and Villager, barely smiling maliciously. Then, Black Shadow began laughing.

"Out of all these brave challengers, only two babies step up to the plate to fight me?" the Captain Falcon Primary asked, poking Kirby's soft, cuddly cheek.

"Pathetic," Black Shadow's voice spoke, turning his back on the two young warriors.

"Why don't you run back home to your mommies while you're at it? Go on…" Black Shadow continued. However, Kirby and Villager clenched their simple fists, refusing to take a step away.

"You still want to fight?" the Captain Falcon Primary asked. "Alright then… but it's only because you asked to suffer…" Black Shadow inside Captain Falcon's body then grabbed Kirby and Villager, watching the two boys squirm.

"Now who should I go for…?" Black Shadow's voice asked. "Well… it's pretty obvious, isn't it?" Spawning a golden cage out of nowhere, the Captain Falcon Primary tossed Villager in, holding Kirby as the Smashville mayor struggled with the bars.

"Think of it as a little detention as I give the only survivor of Galeem's attack a simple lesson in respect for elders…" Black Shadow continued, squeezing Kirby's pillow-like body tighter. Floating up into the air, the Captain Falcon Primary vanished through a portal, taking the pink puffball with him. After Kirby woke up, he looked around, noticing the flat stage and futuristic background, although the sky itself looked somewhat more polluted. It was the Final Destination version of the Port Town Aero Dive. Kirby saw that the Captain Falcon Primary's body was shifting, creating a black cape and a horned mask on his head. He glared at the pink puffball with glowing-red eyes, laughing.

"You scared yet?" Black Shadow's voice asked, attempting to frighten Kirby. The pink puffball was not moved and merely running towards the possessed Captain Falcon with a hammer set on fire, swinging ferociously. Once the Captain Falcon Primary was ready to attack, his fiery moves emitted black flames, attempting to hit the fast-moving pink puffball. Once Kirby jumped up in the air, he transformed into a brick his size, slamming downward on Black Shadow. Since the Primary warrior was also close enough, Kirby quickly inhaled Captain Falcon's body, obtaining the bounty hunter's Copy ability. Everything went black for the pink demon, and Captain Falcon's helmet appeared on his face. Captain Falcon's Fighter Spirit took over Kirby.

"If it isn't my old enemy Black Shadow," Captain Falcon's voice spoke from Kirby's body. "Care for a supersonic slugging?"

"Bring it on!" Black Shadow inside Captain Falcon's body roared, his fists set on black flames. Kirby with Captain Falcon taking control of his body now jumped high into the air, using a Falcon Kick and diving down straight for the puppet fighter's chest. Kirby's stubby arms then began rapidly jabbing right at the Captain Falcon Primary. With a simple Raptor Boost, Kirby grabbed ahold of the possessed Captain Falcon, tossing him up into the air without Black Shadow even laying a hand on him. Afterwards, Captain Falcon inside Kirby kicked forward, making his nonexistent knee hit right at the puppet fighter and deal electrical damage. Once Black Shadow grabbed ahold of the stage's ledge, the last thing he saw was the pink demon himself charging up his signature move: the Falcon Punch. That fiery hit sent the Captain Falcon Primary flying into the blast zone, with a confetti blast following soon after and the Port Town Aero Dive disintegrating into darkness.

Captain Falcon, who was still inside Kirby's body, was pointing a Spirit Sniper at the supersonic slugger's body, being surrounded by a spinning barrier created by the Master Legendary Spirit of Black Shadow. With careful aim, Kirby's body fired Captain Falcon's Fighter Spirit through the barrier, breaking the Galeem Lock and freeing Black Shadow from the Seraph of Order's control. A bright light flashed in Kirby's eyes, blinding the area and transporting the pink puffball to the visions again.


Kirby started rubbing his head, with the Smash Ball on his forehead and his golden irises and rainbow aura present. He was back on the floating island where the younger dragons learned how to fly, though the place seemed a bit different. For example, the flowers that were blooming on the island were just sprouts, and not many of their kind. Some of the plants were even older in age and taller in height. The pink puffball suddenly remembered the three dragons that were the main focus in his visions: Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima. Running to the edge of the oak dock from before, Kirby looked down on the ground from high above, curious at the rusting trees down below. Just when Kirby was starting to realize what was going on, a swarm of dragons bursted out from the ground, all being led by Flora, their teacher. Dancing in the sky like birds, they were fast and agile, speeding through the air. Once they were finished, the young dragons landed back on the island, passing through Kirby. Flora touched down back on the oak dock, looking at all her students.

"I am most proud of you, class," Flora spoke cheerfully. "You had been training for months with me and now you are one with the sky. Even those who were too afraid to fly before have now conquered their fear of heights. Amazing…"

"Now that were are getting to the end of the year learning from you young flyers," Flora continued, "my time of teaching you is over. Soon, there will be new dragons for me to teach, but I will miss you all terribly. Now you better fly down to your parents. They're waiting for you after being gone for all this time…"

"Goodbye, Ms. Flora," the young dragons replied. As the already-trained dragons flew down to meet their parents, Kirby managed to catch a glimpse of Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix heading to their waiting parents. The pink puffball jumped off from such a dangerous height, but his small weight helped him float down to the ground while carrying a large breath of air in his expansive lungs. Once Kirby dropped down onto the earth, he saw the three young dragons, now a bit older, greet their parents Metallio and Toropikaru.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Ultima cried, hugging her parents with her brothers.

"So glad you can join us back into our nest again," Metallio spoke, rubbing the children's heads. "How was your flight training?"

"Amazing," Galeem answered. "We were soaring through the air like birds! There were a few students that were afraid at first, but eventually got the hang of it."

"Glad to hear no one got hurt," Toropikaru said. "Now let's go. It's going to be dark soon and we had just prepared dinner back at the cave." Taking off into the sky like jets, the whole family went flying off back home with Kirby running behind them.

Once the pink puffball managed to arrive at the cave the family of dragons was staying at, he saw they were all asleep, with the central campfire dying out naturally. The night outside was peaceful, with the moon gleaming brightly in all its glory that it even cast shadows on the grassy fields down below, and the stars painted pictures in the roof of the sky. Just then, Kirby saw some sort of firefly-like dragon gliding towards the cave, fluttering his insect wings with his tail glowing a bright yellow. Quietly, the firefly dragon took out a letter from the bag he was carrying on his back, slipping it at the entrance of the cave before taking off into the night. That was what drove Kirby curious.

Morning arrived, and the three dragon siblings were just waking up from their nests before they heard their parents call out for them.

"Phoenix! Galeem! Ultima! Come here quickly!" Metallio called. Quickly rising up from their sleep, the three young dragons ran to their mother and father, who had just opened the letter at the doorstep. When the three young dragons peeked between their parents, the letter read:

To: Metallio and Toropikaru

It has come to our intention that we would set you a reminder for your children to come join our Dragosmo Training Camp. We believe it is time that these three young dragons are ready to learn about big responsibilities and learn how to control all seven Rainbolements. Lord Ceresor's sons Sozo and Hakai will take good care of your offspring and train them to be the best in the planet of Arcus. Hopefully you have said your farewells to your children since in the next two weeks, your children are going to learn how to be the land's guardians for ten more years. Please see to it that our new students join us at the Dragosmo Training Camp.

Regards,

The Dragosmos

"Did you understand what the letter said?" Toropikaru told the three children, tears of joy in her eyes. "You're all going to be learning how to become guardians!" Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix could not believe what they just heard. In excitement, the three young dragons hugged to their parents, knowing they had been waiting for this day to arrive.

"We're going to be so proud of you…" Metallio whispered, the small family embracing the moment. Kirby watched the three young dragons become so proud of themselves, and it wasn't long before the Smash Ball on his forehead began flashing again. The area around him flashed in a bright white, and Kirby suddenly woke up as returning from a nightmare. Sweat was rolling down in tiny beads on the pink puffball's soft body. When Kirby looked around, he saw that Villager was free from his golden cage, and they were still in the dark underground that Flowey sent them off to. To their right, Kirby and Villager saw Captain Falcon, back to normal and lying down weakened on the ground. The pink puffball ran to the unconscious bounty hunter, holding his head up and trying to wake him up. As Captain Falcon was sitting up, he looked at the two fighters who saved him.


"….Kirby?" Captain Falcon asked. "I really don't know how to say this but… thanks, kid." Kirby smiled back, rubbing his face. Once the bounty hunter was getting up on his feet, Flowey appeared behind them, giggling. The three recruited warriors turned around to see the small monster flower, looking innocent and child-like.

"Bravo," Flowey spoke. "I would be applauding for you, but sadly I don't have any leaves to clap…" Captain Falcon clenched his fists, alongside Villager and Kirby.

"Listen: you won your prize, you take him back," Flowey continued. "Captain Falcon's the only one who knows how to drive that Blue Falcon of his. Consider yourself lucky, kid. Now get outta my sight until we meet again…" Roots covered in thorns then emerged from the ground, curling up into a sphere around the three warriors and instantly transporting them high into the air. Once the thorn-coated roots retreated back into the ground, Kirby, Villager, and Captain Falcon saw they were back in Gallia, right next to the race track.

"Poyo-poyo," Kirby said, grabbing Captain Falcon's hand and running.

"Where you going?" Captain Falcon asked, being dragged along. Villager followed shortly after them, and the three were heading to the entrance where Jody Summer was blocking them off.

"I told you two kids before – you can't pass through here without a legal guardian," Jody spoke. Just then, the Spirit looked up to see Captain Falcon right in front of her.

"Oh my… Captain Falcon!" Jody continued. "I didn't notice you were here. Come on. Follow me." The Normal Ace Spirit then took the three fighters to the starting area of the track, where it was just a one-way path connecting into the race. At the beginning of it was the Blue Falcon. As Captain Falcon walked over to it to feel his vehicle good as new, he looked at Jody again.

"Figured you would need this in order to go through the race track," Jody answered. "And I don't know why, but for some reason the salty racers on the track mysteriously… vanished, although I swore I saw dangerous-looking roots engulf them all without a trace. Either way, I hope that strange incident might help you with your journey…"

"Okay," Captain Falcon answered, jumping into his hovercar's cockpit. "Get in, boys." Villager and Kirby hopped into the Blue Falcon, watching the cockpit door shut itself and the engine power up.

"Good luck!" Jody cheered as the three fighters drove off in the Blue Falcon towards the race track, zooming off at an incredibly fast speed. In the distance of the race track, simply sitting at the edge of the cliffside Kirby and Villager were walking down, Flowey was watching the Blue Falcon speed off, feeling a little guilty about himself.

"Hopefully Lord Galeem doesn't know what I did to help these guys, what with stopping those nasty racers racing on the track and all," Flowey said to himself, looking at the ground in worry. "I regret saying this but… I feel like I have a bit of a heart left in me… What am I saying? I didn't get rid of those racers! But who...? Galeem would never turn against his crooks... unless something goes wrong..." As Flowey vanished into the ground once more, a mysterious figure watched through the bushes. Two claws on each hand stuck out through the tiny leaves, and big violet eyes gleamed behind the shrub. The eyes flashed a faint white, possibly confirming whatever this creature is... must be the one who helped them.

Chapter 36: Lost in a Strange New World

Summary:

On different sides of two groups, each one is going to have to work together with new faces while trying to make sense of the world around them.

Chapter Text

On the route Marth was rescued, the Hero-King, alongside Mario and Joker, went traveling near the mushroom gorge while looking for more of their companions. Just then the Phantom Thief of Hearts stopped to take a look at the never-ending abyss. Mario and Marth stopped for a brief moment to notice Joker simply having his mind wander off as he kept looking in a fixed direction.

"What is it?" Marth asked, heading over to the Phantom Thief of Hearts.

"That one of your friends?" Joker answered in the form of a question, his red-gloved hand pointing at the middle of the mushroom gorge. Mario and Marth looked at where Joker was looking, surprised by what they saw. On the largest mushroom they had ever came across, the Olimar Primary was sitting, waiting patiently for challengers as his glowing-red eyes gleamed, with his Pikmin simply sitting there like voodoo dolls.

"Yep, that's-a one of them," Mario answered. The red plumber then noticed a line of smaller mushrooms lining up as some sort of pathway to the Olimar Primary.

"We would try hopping on those mushrooms," Mario continued, "but I'm afraid they're too little to properly walk across. Their stems aren't strong enough to support our weight…"

"That's a total bummer," Marth spoke.

"I know-a," Mario replied.

"Why don't we try finding some sort of Spirit that can help make those mushrooms bigger so we can hop to and fro with no sweat and no worry of falling to our deaths?" Joker asked.

"I suppose…" Mario responded. "But first we're going to have to look for one. Come on." The red plumber then walked off near the edge of the abyss, alongside the Hero-King and the Phantom Thief of Hearts.

"Besides, after the Forgotten Resistance had dropped us off back where we were, they gave us some more of the kinky devices," Mario continued, revealing the watch-like gadget on his wrist.

"Yeah, especially when that dragon-clothed woman looked at me like she had some sort of crush on me," Joker remarked. "Anyway, where do you think we should be looking for that Spirit to make those mushrooms larger?"

"…Maybe in that obviously creepy cave…?" Marth asked, pointing at an abandoned mineshaft right next to the three adventurers. There was some sort of echoing noise coming from the darkness, and cobwebs were decorated at the corners of the entrance. A lump in his throat, Mario swallowed and peered into the empty blackness.

"I guess…" Mario responded. Walking into the mineshaft, Marth and Joker followed the red plumber soon after. The three fighters looked around the darkness with only the light at the entrance to guide them. But even that light was short-lived as Mario, Joker, and Marth progressed.

"Damn," Joker said, his voice echoing through the shaft. "This place is dark as hell. Mario, you brought a light?"

"Uh… no," Mario answered. "That doesn't mean I can make one." With a flick of his wrists, Mario generated a fireball in his hands, and the glowing flames generated a light. The cavern walls glittered with jewels of all sorts, and there were rusted pickaxes and derailed minecarts lying on the rocky ground.

"These gemstones look gorgeous," Marth said. "Maybe if we were to mine them and sell them for equipment and upgrades, maybe we can patch up and buff our ship."

"Suppose," Mario replied.

"You boys hear something?" Joker asked, hearing voices growing louder as the trio went down the cave. The Phantom Thief of Hearts then ran off, grabbing Mario and Marth by the hands. Once Mario generated another fireball in his hands, the three warriors were shocked by what they saw: a Bayonetta Supporter in her Witch with No Memories red costume she bore when she woke from a hundred-year slumber cornering a Master Ace Spirit, who was Toadette in particular. In Toadette's hands, she carried a pickaxe, trying to swing it at the Bayonetta Supporter.

"It's Toadette!" Mario exclaimed. "We've gotta help her!" The Bayonetta Supporter quickly turned her head to see the three fighters, glaring at them with glowing-red eyes. With her sleeves magically unfurling, the puppet fighter whipped her long, black hair and grabbed the three warriors by their arms, generating some sort of portal. It transported the Bayonetta Supporter somewhere, and with her Joker, Marth, and Mario.

Once the three recruited fighters woke up, they each saw they were in some sort of cardboard setting, with the background clearly made out of construction paper and cotton balls as the dotted clouds glued on. There was a windmill and a green pipe at the right, dropping down into some sort of abyss. It was the Paper Mario stage, and at the edge of the platform was the Bayonetta Supporter with a Star Rod in her hand.

The Bayonetta Supporter jumped into the air, butterflies and roses trailing behind her as she used the Star Rod's power and launched little but strong stars. Joker was the first one to avoid the incoming fire, pulling out his pistol and shooting bullets. Marth then ran behind the puppet fighter, slashing at her back with his powerful tipper, and Mario slammed his fist in a downward punch, knocking the Bayonetta Supporter down into the cardboard ground. Just then, a giant electric fan appeared behind the land, and all the warriors could not see themselves. The wind from the fan was strong enough to blow everything to the abyss, and each one of the fighters were struggling to find out where they were.

"I'm going after Bayonetta," Marth told the team, climbing onto the green pipe as the Bayonetta Supporter held on tight. "You two stay where you are while I take care of this…" Noticing the warping area, the Hero-King figured out his own location and tried focusing on the Bayonetta Supporter, whose Star Rod was still visible in her hand. Using the wind as an advantage, Marth kept slashing at the invisible Bayonetta, sending her off the edge to the right. With precise timing, once everyone turned visible again, the Hero-King used a graceful downward slash, with the tip sending the Bayonetta Supporter into the blast zone. Once the windmill portion of the Paper Mario stage vanished, Mario and Joker saw themselves back in the cave, watching Marth point a Spirit Sniper at the Bayonetta Supporter. The puppet fighter then disintegrated into Shadow Bugs and retreated back into the darkness, leaving behind a glowing-blue Kammy Koopa of the Normal Novice type.

However, instead of simply flying off, Kammy Koopa merely just hovered there on her broomstick, knowing she had been freed from Galeem's clutches. The three warriors looked at Toadette, who was attacked before.

"It's okay…" Mario said, kneeling down close to the Master Ace Spirit. "You're alright. We took care of your rival for you."

"Thanks, kind travelers," Toadette replied. "I was simply walking through here to find some beautiful jewels for my collection of prized wonders, when I was suddenly attacked by a mean woman in the darkness. This is really what I get for taking a few stones?"

"Well, we're right now looking for some Sprits to aid us," Marth replied. "Do you think you can assist?" Toadette sat on the ground, thinking about an answer while Kammy Koopa floated above her.

"Where did you guys come from?" Toadette asked.

"From a ship in the sky," Joker answered. "It looks like it was built from a low budget and needs to be fixed as quickly as possible."

"Do we really want to do this?" Mario asked the Phantom Thief of Hearts. "I mean… we just saved her. We really don't want to push all the Spirits we saved from Galeem to keep working."

"Listen, tubby," Joker objected, "Galeem obviously knows what we're doing and plans to attack when we least expect it. The more Spirits we rescue from the Seraph of Order, the faster we can prepare for a full-on attack. First, we would have to mine and gather resources and sell them for upgrades, and then we would train the Spirits and us to become stronger. Supplies, loot, weapons – these guys gather it all. I'm just saying we build up their faith by freeing them from the puppet fighters, we create a resistance by working together."

"I suppose…" Toadette replied, holding onto the pickaxe she was wielding. "Maybe if you bring down at least four members of your crew we could get started."

"Sounds okay, I guess," Marth said. "Come on, guys. We need to get out of here…" Marth, Mario, and Joker all then walked out of the glittering cave with the Spirits they found, walking towards the light of the outside world. Once they were all outside the cave, the three warriors then departed from the mineshaft's entrance, leaving Toadette and Kammy Koopa behind. The trio then walked towards the abyss with the giant mushrooms, looking at the Olimar Primary at the center.

"How are we gonna save him?" Mario asked. "All we did was free another Spirit from Galeem, but what do we do?"

"Just leave it to me," Kammy Koopa spoke behind the three warriors. Flying from behind, the Normal Novice Spirit pulled out her wand, floating over the chasm.

"You sure you can help us?" Marth said.

"Of course I can," Kammy Koopa answered. "Just because we're Spirits doesn't mean we still have our powers. In gratitude of saving me, I want to do something for you three kind gentlemen in return." With a flick of her wand, Kammy Koopa cast her magic on the small mushrooms, making their caps and stems quickly expand in size. Now there were just as big as the larger fungi, creating a pathway for Mario, Joker, and Marth to cross.

"I suppose you're all welcome," Kammy Koopa said, putting away her wand. "If you ever need me, I'll be at the cave you boys were at a while ago." Flying off, the Normal Novice Spirit left the three fighters to take care of business they had.

"Are you sure this is-a safe…?" Mario asked, his foot touching the thin layer of mucus on the now-enlarged mushroom cap. Joker simply jumped on top of the mushroom in front of the other two, and the weight was perfectly supported as the mushroom itself wasn't even budging.

"It's perfectly fine," Joker answered, hopping to the next mushroom. The other two warriors then jumped from the ground to the mushroom cap, following the Phantom Thief of Hearts. Jumping from cap to cap, the three fighters kept going deeper into the center of the abyss, the bases of their shoes now coated in mucus from the fungi. After walking down the newly-created mushroom path, Joker, Mario, and Marth were now in front of the Olimar Primary. The Olimar Primary merely looked at them, his voodoo doll-like Pikmin surrounding him.

Instead of an introduction, the Olimar Primary instantly grabbed Marth by the neck, and golden cages spawned around Mario and Joker. Once the Phantom Thief of Hearts saw himself trapped, he tried bending the bars to escape.

"What is this?" Joker asked.

"This is what happens for any encounter with a Primary," Mario answered. "First the Primary picks a challenger at random, then he locks up the rest until the puppet fighter itself is defeated." A vortex swarmed around the Olimar Primary, transporting both the puppet fighter and Marth to another location.

Once Marth was slowly adjusting his eyesight, he looked around and saw he was in a different area: the Final Destination version of Distant Planet. Right in front of the Hero-King, the Olimar Primary laughed in a voice he never really had before. A white bandana tinted red on the inside appeared inside Olimar's helmet on his head, and two white boxing gloves appeared in front of him. An image of the Master Legendary Spirit taking control of Olimar's body flashed, showing it to be none other than Knuckle Joe, one of the Assist Trophies said to have been under Galeem's control earlier.

The Olimar Primary began throwing his team of three Pikmin at Marth, the little creatures clinging onto him and headbutting his body. The pain from the Pikmin was rather painful, but Marth slashed with his sword to get them off his back. Knuckle Joe inside Olimar's body then began using his Smash Punch projectile, launching a flaming blue orb at the Hero-King. Marth managed to hit the Pikmin off his body, watching them disintegrate into ghosts colored like their bodies. The Hero-King then began using his Dancing Blade technique, slashing rapidly at the Olimar Primary.

Just when Marth was about to land a powerful hit on his rival, Knuckle Joe began pulling out three more Pikmin, jabbing at the Hero-King with Vulcan Jab. However, Marth managed to counter-attack with his Exalted Falchion, blocking the Olimar Primary's Smash Punch move and reflecting most of the damage and knockback in return.

The captured fighter was now flying off the stage, with his Pikmin diving in after him. Purple winged Pikmin with red compound eyes spawned behind the Olimar Primary, carrying him into the air. As Marth looked at his rival attempting to recover, he noticed all those Pikmin was weighting him down. This was the Hero-King's chance for a comeuppance. Marth then gracefully jumped off the stage, slashing downward. Since he was above the captured fighter, Marth spiked the Olimar Primary, winning the fight as the blast zone echoed with a powerful confetti explosion. The stage darkened and the Final Destination version of Distant Planet collapsed into Shadow Bugs.

Marth found himself floating in the darkness, frozen in place and pointing a Spirit Sniper at the Knuckle Joe Spirit, who was shielding Olimar's body. The only hole in the barrier was blinking rapidly as the forcefield was constantly spinning around. With a careful aim, Marth hit the Hocotate alien's body, freeing both Olimar and the Master Legendary Spirit that possessed him. A white mist floated out of Olimar's rescued body, floating out of the darkness.

Back at the mushroom gorge, both Joker and Mario saw the golden cages that held them hostage suddenly vanished into dust as they saw Marth appear floating down to them, carrying Olimar in his arms. After the Hero-King laid Olimar down on the giant cap the group was standing on, a red Pikmin, yellow Pikmin, and blue Pikmin walked to the Hocotate alien's side. The three creatures then tapped his crystal-clear helmet, waking Olimar up. The glow of Galeem's possession was gone in the fighter, and Olimar quickly sat up to understand what was going on.

"Look who's back," Mario said. The three Pikmin hugged the Hocotate captain, glad that their leader has returned.

"So glad you've returned, Olimar," Marth replied. Joker merely stood there, confused.

"Uh… who's that short guy?" Joker asked. Marth and Mario turned around, noticing the Phantom Thief of Hearts had never seen the likes of the Hocotate alien before.

"Olimar, this is-a Joker," Mario told the planetary explorer. Olimar then stood up, bowing his head in thanks while not saying a word, eternally grateful.

"We better get going," Marth objected. "There are still a lot more of our friends in Galeem's clutches, and we need to save them as fast as we can while gathering resources, upgrades for the Undying Light, and training bases for raising an army of the Spirits we have managed to rescue."

"Let's get-a going then," Mario finished. The small group, now four, started walking down the mushroom cap pathway down to the edge of a forest.


Piranha Plant, Mii Swordfighter, and Sheik were simply walking from the red-roofed village to the plains, having no idea what surprises were awaiting them next. No matter where they were, the objective was simple: rescue every fighter on their team and defeat Galeem.

"I had never wanted this since the beginning," the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn sighed, looking down in sadness on his face.

"Well, we obviously know the connection between the Subspace Army and the Mii Fighters, but our worst enemies working together with the greatest race in Arcadia… this is just overkill…" Sheik placed a hand on the Mii Swordfighter, understanding his pain.

"We all pretty much know we've got a foe even worse than Tabuu, but not even the Construct God himself can help us now. It's up to us to return these Spirits and ourselves back to our homeworlds," Sheik continued. "We will save the other two Ultimates and your people. Don't fret about it." Just then, Piranha Plant noticed something in the distance. Running in that flower pot of his, the carnivorous flower dashed off.

"The plant must've found something," Sheik said. "Come on." The Sheikah and the Mii Swordfighter then ran off, following the Piranha Plant. The three fighters then noticed what the generic flower found: a canyon filled with light geysers with a stone bridge to cross over.

"Whatever's on the other side of that light chasm might help us," Mii Swordfighter explained. "Let's go." However, once Sheik set foot on the stone bridge, the ground underneath them started rumbling. The three warriors quickly looked around, and Balder appeared, his face coated in gold and peacock feathers trailing behind him. He was standing in the middle of the stone bridge, blocking the path.

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," Balder objected.

"Get out the way, old man," Mii Swordfighter snarled. "We'll win against Lord Galeem if it's the last thing we do!"

"Old man…?" Balder chuckled in question, adjusting his monocle. "You know it's rude to call elderly people such cruel names. And just for that…" The Norse god of light then pulled out a golden dagger shaped like a peacock feather, with the hollow shaft serving as the sharpened tip. With a powerful throw, the golden dagger zipped between Sheik and the Mii Swordfighter, hitting the Piranha Plant's stem. The weapon Balder threw vanished, and the carnivorous flower started jerking around in seizures, feeling the magic pulsing through his stem. Piranha Plant was eventually engulfed in a bright light, growing marvelously in size. For whatever reason, Sheik started getting bad memories from a decade ago.

"Hopefully you wouldn't have to fight against the internal reincarnation of a familiar foe," Balder snarled, floating into the air. After the Norse god vanished, the canyon of light erupted brightening geysers, blocking the stone bridge.

"What did Balder mean… internal reincarnation…?" the Mii Swordfighter asked.

"I think somehow related to a recognizable enemy in some way or form," Sheik answered, pulling out her daggers as the Piranha Plant finished transforming. Both Balder and Sheikah were right: for whatever reason, the generic enemy from Mario's world they had befriended is somehow the re-embodiment of a rival who played a major role in the Subspace Army - Petey Piranha. The towering monster stood before the two fighters, saliva dripping from his mouth and two empty cages being held by his two leaves at the areas where the arms should be. With a powerful roar from Petey Piranha, both the Mii Swordfighter and Sheik were ready to fight the abomination while rubbing off some of the spit that dripped onto their clothes.

The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn lunged at Petey Piranha, slashing rapidly while his weapon was set ablaze. Sheik pulled out her knife and needles, flinging them fast at the mutated flower. Petey Piranha then started swinging the cages around, jumping high into the air and landing with a powerful earthquake. Both Sheik and Mii Swordfighter quickly hopped out of the way, watching out for the powerful twirling of Petey Piranha's cages. His two legs kept the monster steady as he suddenly started spinning in place, the cages of his swinging harshly at the two fighters who were trying to save their friend. Sheik and Mii Swordfighter were instantly whacked around, flying off at an incredibly fast speed in opposite directions. Luckily, the spinning attack dazed Petey Piranha greatly, giving the two warriors a chance to attack. With powerful slashes, Sheik and Mii Swordfighter attacked individual cages, knowing that they served as Petey Piranha's health supply. Once the monster quickly stirred out from his daze, he was instantly knocked out as the two cages he carried bursted open, causing him to instantly collapse.

The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn and the illusive Sheikah ran towards the wounded Petey Piranha, watching the golden dagger that infected the plant fly out into the sky, engulfing the creature in golden light once more. Petey Piranha shrank down to a normal size, and he transformed back into the Piranha Plant from before. Both Sheik and Mii Swordfighter tried picking the carnivorous flower up, concerned about his health since he was instantly somehow revealed to have been the rebirth of the monster they had just attacked. The Piranha Plant quickly jerked up, unaware of what happened.

"You're okay," Sheik said, rubbing Piranha Plant's head. "We just had to take care of some personal business, that's all…" The Mii Swordfighter then just remembered the stone bridge they were just about to cross. However, he noticed the geysers of light emerging harder from the crack, engulfing the pathway and causing the stone bridge to become hot to the touch.

"Looks like we can't cross it for now," Mii Swordfighter addressed. Both Sheik and Piranha Plant walked towards the stone bridge, with the Sheikah and the Mii Fighter shielding their eyes a bit from the intense brightness.

"How about we head to that peculiar road over there and look for something that can help us?" Sheik asked, pointing to a race track. The other two fighters noticed where the Sheikah was pointing at, aware of what she was talking about. The group of three then ran towards the race track, unaware that they would meet up with some familiar faces again…

Chapter 37: The Champion of Hyrule

Summary:

When Kirby's group and Piranha Plant's group gets back together, they confront none other than the Link Primary shortly after.

Chapter Text

Driving through the race track, the Blue Falcon raced all the way around to an opening in a new path, and Captain Falcon, Kirby, and Villager were in the vehicle. After stopping on the soft grass outside the track, the three fighters hopped out of the Blue Falcon.

"Looks like this is one of two areas we can visit," Captain Falcon said, adjusting his gloves. "Let's just see which Spirits we can rescue for now." However, before Kirby took another step past the race track, the white wisp that emerged from Olimar's rescue absorbed into the pink puffball before he could catch up to Villager and Captain Falcon who just disappeared over a nearby hill. Kirby's eyes flashed the Smash symbol before being engulfed in a bright white, and it all happened right out of nowhere. The environment around the pink demon blinded him, and he fell unconscious like before.

Kirby found himself in the planet of Arcus once more, standing in the soft, fresh grass. This time, the pink puffball was standing on another island in the sky, stretching over a mile across. There was a humongous arena that was shaped much like the Midair Stadium, though it was decorated to look more like a training dojo. At the gateway, Kirby saw Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix fly in with their parents, landing with the stuff they packed in each of their little sacks carried by rope.

"Well, we're here at the place," Metallio spoke, admiring how humongous the place is.

"All we have to do is sign you three in and you're officially part of the Sky Temple Training Arena," Toropikaru replied, looking down at the three young dragons.

"Let's go inside," Toropikaru sighed. Pushing open the door with her left wing, the dragon and her husband walked in with Phoenix, Galeem, and Ultima into the stadium, with the children carrying their sacks by the ropes in their mouths, dragging them in since they were pretty heavy for their size. Once the door closed and the family was inside, Metallio and Toropikaru walked to the sign-in booth between two large doors, where and elderly female dragon was waiting behind a glass window. She had baby-blue scales and her wings were frail and paper-thin.

"Hello there," Toropikaru spoke. "We would like to attend for three newcomer students." The elderly dragon heard what was said to her. She slowly ducked down in her desk, carrying a small pile of papers in her mouth. Once she plopped them in front of her, the elderly dragon shifted them to Metallio and Toropikaru.

"Read these forms carefully and sign them afterwards," the elderly dragon answered in a raspy voice, pushing a tiny bottle of writing ink and a black feather behind the pile of papers. While the mother and father were busy signing the papers, their children were busy waiting, talking about what they plan to do once they were allowed in. Kirby, meanwhile, just watched as usual.

"Isn't this exciting?" Ultima cheered, anxious to know what happens next once she and her brothers go past the doors.

"Totally," Galeem answered. Phoenix looked away, understanding the joy of being here.

"We have got to keep in mind that some of the missions here could be dangerous," Phoenix objected. "Few of them matter in life or death…"

"I think we both understand, Phoenix," Galeem replied. "Which is why I have decided to create an unbreakable oath between the three of us."

"Oh?" Phoenix asked.

"What is it?" Ultima remarked, ready to hear what Galeem had to say.

"That I promise that I would help us stay together to the very end as both friends and family," Galeem answered, sticking out one of his fore legs.

"So do I," Phoenix replied, placing his fore leg on top of Galeem's.

"As is me," Ultima said, laying her fore leg in front of her two brothers. The three young dragons created their group shake, knowing their friendship would last.

"Together forever, no matter what," Galeem said. That was the only thing that Kirby remembered, and the pink puffball himself was beginning to understand what was going on: this was supposedly the origin story of Galeem.

"Galeem, Ultima, Phoenix, come here," Metallio called out. The three young dragons then remembered what was going on and immediately grabbed their own bags, running towards their parents.

"Funds are 15 gold pieces a week per student for budgets," the elderly dragon in the sign-up booth told Toropikaru and Metallio, dragging the signed papers back into her desk. "Thank you and have a nice day, newcomers." The three young dragons were so excited for their first appearance in the Sky Temple Training Arena, dashing towards one of the two doors. However, they managed to stop and look back at their parents. Tears in their eyes, Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix ran towards their mother and father, leaving their sacks at the door. The three siblings then hugged their parents dearly, knowing they'll all miss Toropikaru and Metallio terribly.

"See you in ten years, I guess," Ultima sobbed, feeling the comfort of the parent dragons.

"Please remember to stay together to the end, no matter what," Metallio said to the three young children. "Just know that teamwork and friendship are the key elements to survival." Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima then broke the hug with Metallio and Toropikaru, looking back on them in the sadness of departure as they ran past the door, grabbing the ropes of their bags with their mouths. Kirby kept watching the mother and father looking down in sadness, knowing their nest will be empty for about a decade. The environment around the pink puffball flashed in a bright light, transporting Kirby's subconscious back to the planet of Gallia.

Kirby quickly woke up, finding out the Smash Ball on his forehead was gone, as were also the rainbow aura and golden irises. He then managed to spy Captain Falcon and Villager run back to him, concerned about his health.

"What happened back there?" Captain Falcon asked the pink demon, rubbing his cuddly pillow-like body. "You were missing for five minutes, and not like you can tell us since you can't talk that much." Kirby knew that the stone from Faker could be behind all this. Just then, the pink puffball suddenly saw some people walk towards them from the pathway the trio were originally on. As the strangers walked closer, Villager, Captain Falcon, and Kirby could make up some familiar faces. Walking towards them was none other than Sheik, Piranha Plant, and Mii Swordfighter.

"Kirby!" Sheik cried, noticing the pink puffball with the other two fighters that were just at that race track. The Sheikah and her side of the group then ran towards Kirby, Villager, and Captain Falcon with Mii Swordfighter and Piranha Plant. The six warriors were reunited with each other again.

"I thought that barrier split us up," Sheik said, hugging Kirby.

"Barrier?" Captain Falcon and Mii Swordfighter asked.

"There were three paths that the rest of our friends were forced to take," Sheik answered, standing up. "Apparently, Kirby's team split up and now were disconnected from the gang, as well as some sort of ship that they originally came from…"

"Geez, that's terrible," Captain Falcon said, rubbing the back of his helmet.

"There was also some sort of light bridge on our route," the Mii Swordfighter brought up. "However, Balder happened to show up and now we can't cross it since it's hot to the touch. We were about to cross it before it happened, but the old man supposedly reawakened Petey Piranha in… well…" The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn pointed at the Piranha Plant, knowing the situation from before. Both Kirby and Captain Falcon were surprised that one of their new travelers was apparently the reincarnation of a monster that worked for Subspace ten years ago.

"That doesn't mean he's not our friend anymore," Sheik interrupted, aware of the situation. "It's just he didn't know what happened and couldn't control himself…"

"And what about the light bridge?" Mii Swordfighter asked, with Piranha Plant walking towards Villager. "It's still out thanks to those flames engulfing the only path across and becoming impossible to get through without something to get us past."

"I just remembered something!" Captain Falcon exclaimed, suddenly remembering another pathway at the race track. The other five fighters turned their attention towards the bounty hunter, wondering what he wanted to say.

"There's another route we can find, back at the road we just wen through," Captain Falcon continued. "Once we hop into my Blue Falcon, we can drive over there and see what we can find to help us…"

"That sounds like a good idea," Sheik answered.

Later, the only one that hopped into the cockpit of the Blue Falcon was Captain Falcon himself. The other five warriors held on tight to the flaps of the hovercar since they all could not fit inside that one vehicle since it was originally designed to have one seat.

"Let's roll," Mii Swordfighter said, clinging on tight to the cockpit's window shield. The Blue Falcon then started speeding off, heading down south through the race track. Since there were no cars for distractions, they went through okay, the Blue Falcon moving at a steady pace so that the forces of the wind and the gravity don't toss the other fighters off. Afterwards, Captain Falcon's hovercar ended up at another area in just a few seconds, connecting to a path deep in a forest. The six warriors left the Blue Falcon at the race track, anxious to see what was waiting for them at the other pathway.

"I… don't really feel like this is the best idea, now that I think about it…" Captain Falcon objected, approaching closer to the forest with the rest of his team.

"Don't you remember what we said?" the Mii Swordfighter asked. "No matter how challenging and frightful, we need to stay together and…"

"…reawaken the undying light. We know," Sheik finished. "Let's just… get this over with…" The six warriors walked into the forest, keeping their eyes open for any intruders. Minutes passed, and Kirby, Villager, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Piranha Plant, and Mii Swordfighter were still traveling through the woods, confused as to why there were no surprises.

"That hill over there seems promising," the Mii Swordfighter remarked, pointing at a barren mound of grass near an ocean.

"Sure sounds peaceful," Sheik said, noticing a tiny point of black on top of the hill. "Suppose it wouldn't hurt if we saw what was on top. Maybe a special prize or maybe a trap."

"Whatever it is, we better be careful," Captain Falcon replied, walking towards the mounds of grass next to Kirby and Piranha Plant. The six warriors were now scaling up the mountain, walking up to the top. Once the team was at the very peak of the hill, there was someone waiting for them. It was none other than Link himself, wearing that blue Champion's Tunic of his and looking away from who he considered his friends.

"So… you were expecting to find something up here?" a mysterious voice spoke from the Link Primary. "Well, you found me – the servant of Demise known as Ghirahim." Ghirahim's image flashed on Link's back, showing off a thin, pale man painted in black diamonds and cloaked in red while a serpent-like tongue flickered outside his devious lips. Once the image vanished, the Link Primary turned around, glaring at the six fighters with glowing-red eyes.

"Suppose you want another fight as usual, huh?" Ghirahim inside Link's body asked, pointing the Master Sword at the warriors.

"Very well, then," the Link Primary finished, not even letting a single fighter answer. Without a second thought, Ghirahim snapped his fingers, creating the golden cages around all the adventurers with only the Mii Swordfighter left free. With his weapon in his hands, the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn looked back on his trapped friends before turning towards the Link Primary.

"Just you and me, kid!" Ghirahim inside Link's body yelled, floating up into the air. A vortex spawned behind the Link Primary, and the captured fighter grabbed ahold of the Mii Fighter, transporting the both of them to another dimension while the other five fighters were struggling in their golden cages.

The Mii Swordfighter slowly stirred up, looking around and noticing he was in Hyrule as it had appeared 100 years after Calamity Ganon's imprisonment. He was standing on the Final Destination version of the Great Plateau Tower, his sword in his hands as he faced the Assist Trophy trapped inside the Champion of Hyrule. A red cape appeared wrapped around the Link Primary's neck, and a long tongue flickered outside the captured Hylian's lips.

"If it's a duel you want, it's a duel you'll get!" the Mii Swordfighter snarled, dashing towards the Link Primary. The two challengers began clashing swords, tiny sparks flying off with each collision as they danced around each other, avoiding make any contact with the blades. The Link Primary then pulled out small but fast daggers, each one gleaming in red diamonds. They flew in a storm that were in a pattern that the Mii Swordfighter could interpret. However, just as the ex-Ultimate Reborn managed to avoid the daggers, the captured fighter teleported right behind Mii Swordfighter, using one powerful slash behind the Mii's back. The Mii Swordfighter quickly hopped onto his feet, the force of his sword's collision with the Link Primary's Hylian Shield pushing him back and causing him to stagger.

Ghirahim inside Link's body then started flickering his long tongue, dashing super-fast at the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn. The Mii Fighter successfully managed to set his sword on fire, rapidly jabbing at the Link Primary. Once the captured fighter was tossed right in front of him, the Mii Swordfighter unleashed a powerful fiery tornado, catching the Link Primary and engulfing Galeem's servant. Once the captured fighter was back on the ground, his face sooty and his blue tunic partially burned, the Mii Swordfighter conjured up electricity on his blade, using a powerful slash and sending the Link Primary to the blast zone, and with him was Ghirahim's Spirit.

The formula for the victory was the same as usual: the Final Destination version of a particular stage collapses into darkness while Shadow Bugs engulf everything, while the fighter free from Galeem's capture is frozen in midair, pointing the Spirit Sniper at a spinning barrier with a tiny hole to perfectly hit the Master Legendary Spirit guarding the awakened fighter. The Mii Swordfighter fired again, and hit perfectly, freeing Lord Ghirahim's Spirit as well as Link himself. The Shadow Bugs retreated as the area blinded in white, and both the Mii Swordfighter and Link were transported back to the hill they all were before.

Ghirahim's Spirit was the first to appear at the hill, glowing red with a rainbow aura around him. The golden cages that trapped the fighters vanished, and the servant of Demise instantly flew into Kirby's body, reactivating the stone inside the pink puffball. Kirby's eyes gleamed white, and he was about to experience another vision.

The pink demon saw himself back at the Sky Temple Training Arena, sporting the Smash Ball on his forehead again. Kirby had also noticed he was in some sort of hallway in the stadium, where there were beautifully-painted walls and doors lined up one by one next to each other. Traveling through was another firefly-like dragon, leading Galeem, Ultima, and Phoenix to their assigned room.

"Here's your room," the small, insect-detailed dragon spoke, handing Ultima the key to the door's lock. "Thank you for becoming part of the Dragosmo Training Camp. Training begins tomorrow. Meet at the central stage in the middle of the stadium as soon as you wake up."

"Thank you," Ultima answered with a kind heart. The firefly dragon zipped off while buzzing, leaving the three young dragons to enter their room. Ultima then inserted the key into the door's lock and twisted it with her mouth, gently pushing it open to admire how simple and quaint the room was. The walls and ceiling were painted white, followed by a clean, gray rug covering the floor. Three common beds laid next to each other, with an unlit candle on a small table on the rightmost bed's side.

"Quite… interesting…" Phoenix remarked, walking next to the beds while putting down his traveling sack. "So we would be staying in this room for ten years, right?"

"Maybe, unless we're good enough to be warranted a better position in the arena," Galeem answered, flying into the air and diving down onto the bed.

"Look on the bright side," Ultima replied, "at least we'll be able to make some friends while we're here. This is pretty much the first time we're allowed to take care of ourselves without mommy or daddy."

"You're right, Ultima," Galeem said, messing with his bed's blanket a little. "This place will change us in ways we won't expect. But like we three promised, we'll stay together no matter what."

"That's correct," Ultima remarked, slipping down onto her bed, watching the moon in the room's window begin to rise as the sun was quickly setting. "Tomorrow's another day, and there will always be unexpected things. Let's just get some rest. We start our training first thing in the morning, and we would become the best Dragosmos in the land. Besides, when we were all just a year old, I clearly remember our father trying to tell us about his friends learning about big responsibilities and accepting into reality to deal with their troubles."

"Suppose that message will help us in the future," Phoenix commented, snuggling into his bed.

"I hope so…" Ultima answered.

The three young dragons started sleeping in their chosen beds, falling fast asleep once the sky darkened and the aligned stars began shining in waves of white. Kirby simply watched, unaware of the bright light flashing around him and transporting his conscious back to Gallia once more.

Once Kirby woke up, he noticed he was back to normal again, not sweating as hard as before. Maybe it was all because he was starting to getting used to having these kinds of visions whenever he or his friends have reawakened the fighters from their Primary state. Nonetheless, the pink puffball found himself back with Marth, Sheik, Piranha Plant, Villager, Captain Falcon, and Mii Swordfighter. Once the six warriors heard groaning, they quickly turned around and gathered around Link, who was slowly waking up. The Champion of Hyrule sat up, adjusting his vision to see few of his friends gathered around him, as well as the new addition that was the Piranha Plant in a flower pot.

"You… saved me…" Link said, pointing at the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn. "Thanks for the help, Mii Fighter."

"It was nothing," the Mii Swordfighter answered, a little embarrassed as he rubbed his blond hair. "You can thank Sheik and the others, who were all saved by Kirby, the only hope off this planet." Kirby then grabbed ahold of Link's arm, helping the Hyrulian stand up right. Link then placed the Master Sword still in his right hand and the Hylian Shield in its left both on his back, his eyes gleaming a deep ocean blue and no longer holding the red envy that was Galeem.

"There was some sort of light bridge across that light chasm stretching out across the land," Sheik interrupted. "However, the path is too hot to even walk on. Do you think you can help us find what we're looking for to pass?" The Hylian placed a finger on his chin, looking down in thought.

"Not really, no," Link answered. "Thankfully for you guys, my Fighter Spirit seemed to have noticed a pipe somewhere around here. Follow me." The Champion of Hyrule then ran down the hill, with his six other friends following after him. Walking across a bridge to a tiny stub of an island surrounded by a stream of water, Kirby and his team noticed Link showing them a green pipe, one of which seemed to have come from Mario's land.

"What… is that thing?" Captain Falcon asked.

"Don't know," Link answered. "But apparently, Sonic the Hedgehog told us it's part of the Mushroom Kingdom as a means of transportation."

"I'm not going in there, what with that pipe lined with sewage junk and all," the Mii Swordfighter objected as Kirby and Villager looked down there. Piranha Plant squeezed inbetween the two fighters, looking down at the blackness of the green pipe.

"I think I've heard the blue blur saying it's always clean, no matter how long it's been around," Link answered, looking back on the ex-Ultimate Reborn. The Piranha Plant slipped his head down the pipe, and the carnivorous flower suddenly tripped and fell in. Both Villager and Kirby were shocked when the other four fighters quickly turned around and saw only the bottom of the Piranha Plant's flower pot and his two stubby roots sticking through suddenly vanish.

"The plant fell in," Link sighed. "Looks like we'll have to follow him regardless…" With confidence, the Champion of Hyrule quickly jumped into the green pipe, disappearing as well. The rest of the team then jumped in, one at a time. As expected, the pipe transported them somewhere completely different in a matter of seconds, and all seven warriors in the gang jumped out.

"Where… are we…?" Sheik asked, looking around at the strange new environment they arrived at. From what you can tell, Kirby, Link, Sheik, Villager, Captain Falcon, Mii Swordfighter, and Piranha Plant all appeared in a misty bog, filled with gaseous swamps and rotting vegetation. The opaque fog itself was colored a violet color like the amaranthine gas of the Subspace Army, and the leaves and roots covered and hid the cobblestone path.

This was going to be a bother for Kirby's group if they were ever going to get out of the bog.

Chapter 38: Reoccurring Memories

Summary:

While the Undying Light is busy gathering resources for Mario and his team, Kirby starts to learn more about the history of Galeem.

Chapter Text

Through the mushroom gorge, Mario and his team wandered out of the strange location they were at, heading to some darkened woods.

"Hopefully the others are alright, mining for resources in that shaft we just visited," Marth said, looking back.

"They probably are," Joker answered. "From the sounds of things, it seems like these Spirits can handle themselves when Galeem's forces are not around…" Before the Hero-King and the Phantom Thief of Hearts ventured forth with Mario and Olimar, Faker ran towards them in her dragon armor. Panting, the brown-skinned warrior brushed her wavy black hair with her gloved hand, standing up straight.

"Permission to join your forces," Faker said, her dragon-tooth sword by her side.

"Are you sure?" Mario asked. "You certainly don't look like you have much experience in combat, and that armor definitely isn't helping with your skills either…"

"Please?" Faker asked. "I don't know squat about my past. I'd like to learn more about myself if I go with you guys! Just to be clear, I promise I won't flirt with any of the handsome members of the team, especially Joker…" Olimar, Marth, and Mario looked at Joker for his response, the Phantom Thief of Hearts watching Faker showing a tint of red in her face.

Sighing in defeat, Joker answered, "Fine. She can come along… but only if she promises not to flirt with me so much." Faker then ran towards the Phantom Thief of Hearts, hugging him from behind.

"Really?" Faker asked. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Joker managed to squirm out, continuing down the path Mario's gang was on. However, as soon as the gang first set foot in the forest, they came across two Supporters and one Primary: two tiny Mewtwos (one blue and the other pink) and PAC-MAN. An image flashed in front of the team sent by Galeem, revealing three legendary Pokémon known as Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf. The three intruders glared at the adventurers with glowing-red eyes, triggering Mario and his friends.

This time, instead of grabbing a certain opponent while locking up the others in golden cages, the two Mewtwo Supporters approached the fighters while the PAC-MAN Primary grabbed Faker. The ground rumbled, and Uxie inside PAC-MAN teleported Faker somewhere else while Mesprit and Azelf in the bodies of the Mewtwo puppet fighters kept the four warriors on the ground as the dirt they were standing on shifted in color and form.

For Mario, Marth, Olimar, and Joker, they saw themselves on the Spear Pillar stage, where glowing-white crystals stuck out of the ground and legendary Pokémon were seen flying around. The two Mewtwo Supporters began charging up their Shadow Balls, watching the four warriors simply run up to them, their weapons and elemental powers in hands. Once the Shadow Balls were launched, Marth and Joker both jumped up and slashed straight down above the puppet fighters, with Olimar dodging and throwing his Pikmin while Mario pulled out a golden cape, reflecting the Shadow Balls back.

As soon as Marth and Joker both slashed down on the Mewtwo Supporters, the puppet fighters quickly got up to see their reflected Shadow Balls flying back at them. They both quickly used Confusion, tossing their projectiles back at the incoming fighters. Olimar, Joker, and Marth ended up behind the two Mewtwo Supporters, with Mario using his cape move again while his friends kept jabbing and unleashing powerful attacks behind the puppet fighters. The two Mewtwo Supporters managed to get up, but they weren't fast enough to avoid their Shadow Balls from before: ramming hard into the Pokémon clones. It launched them off the Spear Pillar stage, sending Mesprit in the pink Mewtwo Supporter into the blast zone but not Azelf in the blue one. However, as the one remaining puppet fighter attempted to float back into the stage, white Pikmin quickly grabbed onto his tail, inflicting poisonous damage. As the Mewtwo Supporter tried shaking them off, Marth slashed downward with his Exalted Falchion, preforming a meteor smash and knocking out the other Mewtwo Supporter much later. The Spear Pillar went dark, and the four fighters that emerged victorious felt themselves float into the air.

As for Faker, the brown-skinned warrior dressed in dragon armor saw that she was on a flattened stage, merely resembling that of a child's drawing and/or a simple painted picture on an old laptop in the late 90's and early 2000's. It was the Final Destination version of the PAC-LAND stage, and Uxie inside PAC-MAN's body was her opponent.

The PAC-MAN Primary first started charging up pixelated fruit, shifting between different forms. Faker began dashing towards the puppet fighter, slashing her dragon-fang sword rapidly. She then started jabbing rapidly with her fists, her knuckles slamming hard and fast into the PAC-MAN Primary's yellow skin. Once Uxie inside PAC-MAN's body dodged Faker's attack, he threw his fully-charged pixelated fruit in the form of a key, sending it flying fast in a straight direction. Faker noticed it thrown from feet in front of her, and she managed to catch the key in time. With enough power, the brown-skinned warrior threw the pixelated key back at the PAC-MAN Primary but the captured fighter himself managed to create a fire hydrant out of nothing in time. The psychic abilities from the legendary Pokemon taking control of the yellow bane of ghosts funneled into the fire hydrant, and it shot out powerful magic balls instead of water spurts. Faker then jumped up in the air, ready to slash again. However, she was above the captured fighter at the right distance, generating blue pixels from his gloved hand. It was all over for her, and Faker couldn't use anything other than her sword… or so she thought.

Quickly shutting her eyes, Faker managed to slip in her dragon-tooth sword back into her waist, and smoke was flickering out from the palms of her gloved hands. As soon as Inky, one of the ghosts from PAC-MAN's world generated as the captured fighter's up-smash, Faker generated a blast of fire, critically hitting Uxie inside the yellow bane's body. As soon as the brown-skinned warrior quickly got up on her feet, she slowly opened her eyes, looking at her hands.

I had no idea I could that… Faker thought. This might serve as a little advantage. She watched the PAC-MAN Primary transform into his signature yellow orb shape with the pizza-shaped wedge, about to devour her. Luckily, Faker pulled out fiery orbs from her hands, flinging them harshly and fast at the PAC-MAN Primary. With enough potential, the black-haired warrior managed to get the PAC-MAN Primary off the stage, and she dashed off. As soon as Faker pulled out her sword, she set the blade ablaze similar to Roy's and stabbed downward, sending the PAC-MAN Primary into the blast zone of PAC-LAND.

Mario and the other three fighters saw they were back at the forest's entrance, with the Normal Legendary Spirits of Azelf and Mesprit floating off, free from Galeem's capture. Meanwhile, for Faker, she felt herself levitating in the air, pointing a Spirit Sniper at PAC-MAN's rescued body, protected by an ever-spinning barrier generated from the Master Legendary Uxie Spirit. With a careful aim, Faker fired and hit PAC-MAN's unconscious body, freeing the yellow bane from his enslavement and breaking his Galeem Lock. White mist flew out of PAC-MAN's body before the Shadow Bug environment around Faker blinded her in white. A minute or two had passed, and Mario, Marth, Joker, and Olimar looked up to see Faker descending towards them in the air with PAC-MAN in her arms.

"Is he okay?" Marth asked, holding PAC-MAN's gloved hand.

"I still feel his heartbeat," Faker answered, slowly placing the yellow bane on the ground. PAC-MAN slowly began waking up, noticing he was back with his friends. Not saying a word, the yellow fighter quickly stood up, clenching his fists and ready to take on Galeem once they have reached at their destination.

"So all we gotta do is travel through this forest and hope we find something?" Joker asked.

"I think-a that's the idea," Mario answered, "unless we uncover traps, by which we're screwed…" The fighters looked at each other, confused.

"Better make the most of it," Marth said, running into the forest as he was being followed by his closest teammates.


At the mist-covered swamp, Kirby, Villager, Captain Falcon, Link, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, and Piranha Plant noticed right next to the pipe they just entered was a path that led into the light. If the warriors continued further, they might as well end up lost since the violet fog was so thick you can barely see you hand in front of your face. Plus, there was so many roots and soggy leaves that they have covered and barricaded the path entirely.

"Might as well come back here later," Captain Falcon remarked. The others agreed with nods, walking off into the light. As soon as the group had left the swamp, they each uncovered a mountainside dotted with trees and luscious green. A stone path was leading them somewhere, and the warriors were determined to find out.

Walking on the side of the mountains, the warriors on Kirby's team had noticed next to them was a neighborhood, with the houses having red roofs like in the village. As they continued down the path, they suddenly came across a beautiful heart-shaped lake, dotted with cherry blossom trees on the sides and white-flowered lily pads on the crystal-clear water surface. At the center was a tiny island where a stone bridge connected, and on the island itself was some sort of magenta crystal with someone trapped inside. Kirby was the first one to notice, and the pink puffball was tugging on Link's tunic.

"We see it too, Kirby," Link answered, pointing at the magenta crystal. "Let's go and free whoever's trapped in there." However, before any of the warriors took a step on the bridge, a mysterious figure suddenly dropped onto the bridge, ambushing them. As the magenta crystal's reflected light flashed in front of Kirby and his team, the stranger that ambushed them was Fox McCloud, his blaster in his hand and his glowing-red eyes gleaming brightly.

"You would simply think you can just walk through here and take this beautiful fairy?" Fox asked in a voice completely different from his usual tone.

"We're dealing with what's most important to us," Sheik snarled, pulling out her needles. "Now let us pass…"

"Do you really think you can get past through Shadow the Hedgehog, the ultimate lifeform and master of Chaos Control?" Fox asked. As expected, an image flashed on Fox McCloud's body, revealing a hedgehog that looked similar to Sonic, but he had black, upright quills marked with red vertical stripes, different stylized gloves and shoes, and a completely different personality. As soon as the Master Legendary Spirit's image vanished, the Fox Primary quickly pointed his blaster at the traveling adventurers.

"You're one of the many missing Assist Trophies, aren't you?" the Mii Swordfighter asked.

"Correct you are," Shadow inside Fox's body snarled, "and you know I have far more potential than just slowing down time with Chaos Control. Now, we can do this the easy way, where you turn around and never come back, or we can do it the hard way, where I eradicate you completely if you attempt on saving that fairy…" The rest of the fighters were starting to feel a little questioned, but Kirby was the only one who stepped forward, confident on saving everyone he cared for over the ten years he was trapped on this planet, including Fox McCloud.

"I see you're choosing the hard way," Shadow growled. "Pathetic… Don't worry. The rest of you get to join your fairy friend too." Grabbing Kirby, the Fox Primary then spawned golden cages, throwing the rest of the fighters in them and locking them up. Floating up into the air, the captured fighter created a vortex and sucked both himself and Kirby in.

While Kirby was slowly waking up, he heard spaceships flying in the background. Arwings similar to Fox's and Falco's were flying around, and there were pieces of land covered in trees and dotted in futuristic buildings were spotted in an ocean. Kirby was in Corneria: Final Destination version. His opponent: Shadow the Hedgehog inside Fox McCloud.

"You scared yet, kid?" the Fox Primary snarled, clenching his stomach. Black quills marked with red began poking out through the captured fighter's clothes, and his blaster suddenly started twisting and shaping itself into a machine gun. After the transformation, the Fox Primary was surrounded by a white aura, his entire eyes engulfed with a red light.

"Bring it on!" Shadow the Hedgehog snarled, loading his machine gun. Once the Fox Primary began firing the machine gun, the fast-flying bullets were ricocheting off Kirby's bouncy skin, even though they were stinging harshly for him. Regardless, Kirby floated up into the air, heading up above the captured fighter and transforming into a pink stone. The sheer slam caused the Fox Primary to jump out of the way, beginning to use Fox Illusion. However, just when the captured fighter was beginning to glow blue, Kirby inhaled the Fox Primary and gained the Copy Ability. Like before, Kirby's mind shut down, and the Fighter Spirit based off his opponent took over. Two ears spawned on Kirby's head, and a metal headset with a green visor generated on the pink demon's face. The Smash Ball symbol gleamed in Kirby's eyes, signifying that Fox McCloud would be taking over for now.

"This feels a little awkward," Fox's voice spoke from Kirby. "But if I'm going to get my body back, I need to do it in the body of another…" The possessed Kirby then pulled out a blaster, firing lasers at the Fox Primary. The captured fighter, however, began using Chaos Control to teleport around the Corneria stage, sending bullets fly in all directions. Luckily, Fox inside Kirby's body knew what was going to happen and quickly pulled out his hexagon-shaped Reflector, sending the machine gun bullets flying back. Shadow quickly stopped teleporting and pulled out his own Reflector with Fox's body, sending the bullets back. Soon, it became a ping-pong game between the heavy rain of bullets. Thankfully, Shadow's Reflector broke, and few of the red-hot pellets pierced through his skin, fatally wounding the Fox Primary. Blood began staining the Fox Primary's white jacket, and Shadow inside the Star Fox leader began coughing up puddles of red, gagging as he limped and clenched his fist. This provided a chance for the real Fox McCloud within Kirby to walk up to the Fox Primary and charge up a powerful kick with the pink puffball's red foot. With a powerful thrust of Kirby's nonexistent leg, the Fighter Spirit within critically hit the Fox Primary into the blast zone, causing the Final Destination version of Corneria to disintegrate into Shadow Bugs.

Time had passed, and the rest of Kirby's friends were struggling in those golden cages of theirs. Just then, the confines quickly vanished, and the freed fighters quickly dropped onto the ground. A vortex appeared right in front of them, and both Fox's and Kirby's bodies were dropped out, with the pink puffball's eyes glowing white.

In Kirby's point-of-view, the pink puffball found himself back at the Sky Temple Training Arena, feeling the Smash Ball on his forehead. It was almost morning, and the moon itself was almost gone just over the horizon. Suddenly, the stadium itself was beginning to rumble, and it was shaking the new students up. Lots of young dragons were quickly woken up by the uncontrollable rumbling, and they were running out of their rooms to look out the hall's windows, including Ultima, Phoenix, and Galeem. According to what the young students saw, the Sky Temple Training Arena itself was levitating off the ground, powered by futuristic hovercraft to make the stadium into the air. As the young dragons were amazed by what they saw, another insect-like dragon appeared at the end of the hallway.

"Time to meet up at the central stage before breakfast!" the insect-like dragon spoke, his bug-shaped wings buzzing and his tail glowing faintly. "Your teachers would like a few words before we start training." Rushing as fast as they could to the central stage simply floating there and connected with quartz bridges, a large group of young dragons went in from different directions of the Sky Temple Training Arena, waiting to see who was going to appear in front of them. Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima squeezed in to the front, curious about what was the big hold-up before breakfast.

"Look up in the sky!" one dragon cried. The group of students then looked up in the air, watching the two golden-armored dragons that were at the last Dragosmo Festival before. The two dragons glided down into the air, landing in front of the young students. Both teachers looked very similar to one another – with their bodies colored a velvety white and their silky wings and tails exposed through their golden armor. However, as they opened their eyes, one was revealed to have golden eyes while the other one had purple, the former moving more gracefully while the latter was feeling a little jittery in his posture. The one with golden eyes and graceful movement then walked up to the students, looking down upon them.

"Greetings, new comrades," the golden-eyed dragon spoke. "My name is Sozo, and next to me is my brother, Hakai. We are both the sons of Lord Ceresor and seconds-in-command of the Dragosmo Army. Welcome to your first year aboard the Sky Temple Training Arena."

"While you pipsqueaks are aboard the stadium, we'll be training you to be the best of the best for years to come!" Hakai interrupted, his long, skinny tongue flopping outside of his ever-smiling lips. Sozo merely sighed and continued with his speech to the students.

"Please forgive my brother," Sozo said. "He may be a professional general like me and yet he still does not know how to behave… Anyway, we will be keeping you under our custody for ten years. We will be traveling to different planets and fight tough and hard to awaken our powers within. There will be time for breaks, so no need to worry. Feel free to befriend your classmates and even write messages to your parents. For now, training begins immediately!" Sozo and Hakai then flew up into the air, breathing out powerful beams that surrounded the Sky Temple Training Arena. They created a blue forcefield as the arena floated higher into the sky, skyrocketing faster above the ground. The Sky Temple Training Arena then flew off the planet of Arcus into space, zooming at the speed of light. At first, the young dragons felt uncomfortable traveling to different planets, but then they realized the technology within the stadium was keeping them on their toes as if it was almost nothing.

"Breakfast is available at the dining room," Sozo finished. "Eat up as fast as you can for soon we will arrive at our destination…" With Hakai and Sozo flying off, the new students then walked back inside the stadium, with Kirby clearly invested in these visions of Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima.

Later on, at the dining area, all sorts of young dragons were grabbing foods from special plastic bowls, where they were standing in front of special machines that gave their favorite grub, ranging from fruits to foreign meats. After Ultima and her brothers filled up on their meal, the three young dragons walked to white tables erecting from the quartz floor to sit and eat.

"This feels so fun!" Ultima giggled. "The fact that we get to travel to different planets for ten years seems amazing. I wonder what powers we're going to learn there…"

"Who knows?" Galeem asked, grabbing a tiny mouthful from his bowl with his jaws. "It might become harder the older we get…"

"Our behavior might change as well," Phoenix replied, pushing away his bowl and thinking. "I mean… what if one of us turns evil? What if one of us wants universal domination?" Ultima and Galeem looked away for a while, thinking about what might happen if what Phoenix said was true. Just then, a group of three female dragons walked up to Galeem, giggling. The white-armored dragon quickly turned around to see a pink, fluffy dragon, a light-yellow dragon with feathered wings, and a sky-blue dragon whose locks of hair looked like wispy clouds.

"You with the mismatching wings," the light-yellow dragon said, noticing the fiery-orange and space-blue colors within Galeem's wings. "Wanna sit with us?"

"Yeah," the fluffy-pink dragon replied, looking away bashfully. "The girls and I think you look really cute." Galeem was at first dumbfounded by this.

"…Me?" Galeem asked.

"Yeah," the sky-blue dragon remarked. "We think you're really special."

"Well… I've never had any other friends outside of my brother and sister, so…" Ultima nodded in agreement, excited with what was going to happen to the young dragon. After all, it didn't really hurt to make more friends.

"I… guess I can sit with you girls…" Galeem answered, getting up from his seat. The white-armored dragon then walked off with the three female dragons, and Ultima was pleased. However, when she looked back on Phoenix, she noticed something was wrong with his face.

"What's the matter?" Ultima asked, curious that her black-scaled brother with the flame-textured wings looked rather downcast.

"You're a bit jealous about Galeem, huh?" Ultima predicted, knowing that Galeem was chosen over Phoenix. Ultima then placed her front paw on Phoenix's, and the young dragon looked up to see his sister smiling at him.

"I was rejected too," Ultima continued. "Just because Galeem has a few friends doesn't mean you won't get any either. It's all for time to decide, and you're no different. You two are still equally my brothers, and I would make sure that everything in your life goes right…"

"Thank you for understanding, Ultima," Phoenix replied, touching his sister's paw and clasping it. While Kirby was watching, he felt a little moved, understanding the minor conflict the young dragons were going through. Just then, speakers started turning on, and the entire dining room went quiet for a minute.

"Attention, class," Sozo spoke. "We have arrived on Ignisu, the planet of the Fire Rainbolement. Each one of you head outside so we can get started with our training here." All of the students started heading to the entrance, waiting with Hakai and Sozo, who were with them this whole time. Ultima and Phoenix reunited with Galeem, and they were waiting for a signal.

"All we have to do is wait until we land," Sozo told all the young dragons. The rumbling of the futuristic engines that caused the Sky Temple Training Arena to fly in space was quickly followed by the barrier fading away as the building itself touched hard ground. Sozo and Hakai then placed each of their paws on the door handle.

"Just a little precaution: the planet you're about to see – Ignisu – it's a lot different from Arcus," Hakai butted. "Plus, it's hot… like, REALLY hot." As soon as Sozo and Hakai opened the door, the young dragons were surprised by what they saw: rough, rocky terrain with little vegetation, and even the plants themselves flickered like fire. Lava was flowing like rivers, and the sky itself was ash-polluted and red with the sun itself ballooning into a red giant, stretching across half of the sky and piercing through the ash clouds with its light, but it still was dim enough so that it didn't blind any living thing that looked directly at it.

"Welcome to Ignisu," Sozo spoke to the young students. "For about a year, we will be exploring the planet and overcoming all the challenges that oppose us, earning you the right to the Fire Rainbolement. I will explain what that is when we camp somewhere out there." Sozo and Hakai then took off into the sooty skies, followed by Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima with all the other students flying into the air. Kirby watched the swarm of dragons fly off farther from the Sky Temple Training Arena, feeling the Smash Ball pulse brightly on his head again. Kirby then saw the light surrounding him, transporting his conscious back into his own body.

Kirby quickly woke up to the bright sun shining on his face, rubbing his cuddly pink body with his stubby arms. The pink puffball was quickly helped up by Link, and the rest of Kirby's friends surrounded him, concerned about his health.

"You okay?" Sheik asked.

"Poyo-poyo," Kirby answered, perfectly fine.

"What was going on there, Kirby?" the Mii Swordfighter asked, surprised. "Your body went limp and we saw your eyes glowing like the sun…" Fox McCloud then pushed inbetween Mii Swordfighter and Piranha Plant, looking down on Kirby with the usual emerald green eyes he always had. The leader of Star Fox was back.

"Thanks for saving me, kid," Fox spoke with his usual tone, rubbing the pink puffball's head.

"Looks like Fox McCloud is back in action," Captain Falcon responded, fist-bumping the Star Fox leader. The fighters were chatting with each other, but Kirby noticed the Mii Swordfighter staring at the pink demon in an interested expression.

"This is like the exact same riddle I spoke to Sonic…" the Mii Swordfighter spoke gently enough so that the others could not hear.

"Poyo…?" Kirby asked, tilting his nonexistent neck.

"Warrior untouched by the birth of Gallia, awaken the Ragnarokk's memories, redeliver the World of Trophies, and break the Lock," the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn remarked. "You know the words, don't you? The blue rodent told you the message didn't he?" Kirby suddenly got a flashback from Galeem's attack upon the multiverse, remembering the message from the blue blur, the heartbreaking tragedy of Sonic's ultimate sacrifice that saved the pink puffball. The Mii Fighter then sheathed his sword back in his cleavage, placing a hand on Kirby's back.

"Sonic's still gone, isn't he?" the Mii asked. Tears built up in Kirby's eyes, but the pink demon knew he was brave enough to go on as he gently wiped them out.

"Fa…Fa…Family," Kirby muttered, looking away. The Mii Swordfighter understood what Kirby meant by that, knowing they were far more than just friends, and families never lose one another's sight. The ex-Ultimate Reborn then stood up, looking back at the magenta crystal found at the center of the heart-shaped lake. After Fox was rescued, the fairy that was trapped within was freed. Kirby and the rest of the gang then ran across the bridge to see who they rescued. Lo and behold, it was another Mii, with green eyes and light-gray rectangle glasses with a dimple underneath her left eye, and she sported elflike ears with orange pixie wings, garmented with an orange long-sleeved dress, sunset-colored braids, and a large golden flower on the side of her head.

"Goodness gracious!" the fairy spoke with a sweet and sensitive voice, trying to get up. Once the fairy stood up, she was perfectly straight, with her hands placed in front of her chest.

"This is indeed quite worth the trouble," the fairy continued, rubbing her sore neck. Both Sheik and Piranha Plant then noticed something about who they rescued. For one, she was a Master Advanced Spirit, sporting the rainbow aura and green, transparent body, but it was as if they remembered something while back at the village.

"You wouldn't happen to be one of the Fab Fairies a companion named Raiden talked about before that tried defending a village, wouldn't you?" Sheik asked.

"Of course I am!" the Fab Fairy answered. "I am pretty much the middle sibling. My two other sisters were captured and sent off far away from each other."

"I guess we can help you reunite with your siblings," Fox replied, patting the blaster on the side of his waist.

"Wish it would be that simple," the Middle Fab Fairy remarked. "The problem is there is an island far off in the southeast, where a powerful monster has been responsible for scaring creatures of the light into this land. The only way across is through the fissure erupting geysers of light…"

"Yeah… about that…" the Mii Swordfighter groaned, "turns out the bridge is burning-hot to the touch. Anything that sets foot across is sure to catch fire."

"Which is why I'm counting on all of you to rescue my sisters!" the Middle Fab Fairy replied. "According to rumors, there is a temple in the far northwest, possibly sure to disintegrate the light fissure once you defeat all the captured fighters protecting it. However, you would need the magic of all three of us to open the way through."

"Well, what are we waiting for? Let's go!" Captain Falcon replied, running out to the east. Shortly after, Kirby, Villager, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, Piranha Plant, Link, and Fox went with him, guided by the Middle Fab Fairy.

Chapter 39: The Youngest Fab Fairy

Summary:

When Mario and the gang release a very important Spirit from her prison, they realize there are two more like her. The only way the opposite team could get through the light gauge is to free the other Fab Fairies.

Chapter Text

Mario and his team were strolling through the jungle, keeping an eye out for any intruders they can find. So far, they have managed to rescue a few Spirits from their selected puppet fighters with no sweat, and they were all simply easy to defeat. However, that did not mean they can simply ace through the fight against Galeem like it was no trouble at all.

"So… where's the next fight?" Joker asked, twirling his unloaded pistol with his red-gloved hand.

"I'm sure it'll be around here somewhere," Marth answered. "Just you wait." Joker then looked back on Faker, noticing something was on her mind. While the other four fighters were still walking through the forest, Joker approached the brown-skinned warrior, seeing those downcast golden eyes of hers.

"Something wrong?" Joker asked. Faker merely sighed, looking at the ground below her.

"I just simply woke up here, with no memory about myself or even what I originally looked like," Faker answered. "I was hoping if I joined you guys, I would get more answers about myself, but… ever since I have discovered these fire powers of mine, I was left with more questions… Plus, I don't even know much about conflict and the other Spirits assume I can use a sword…" Joker held up her chin, looking at her with those gray eyes of his hidden underneath his mask, making Faker's cheeks tinted red a little.

"We'll fix you up," Joker answered. "Just you wait." Faker rubbed her cheek, pushing Joker's hand aside a bit.

"Joker! Faker!" Marth called. "There's something you need to see!" Joker suddenly heard his friends, who went down south. The Phantom Thief of Hearts then grabbed ahold of Faker's hand, taking her along with him. Once Joker and Faker met up with Mario, Marth, Olimar, and PAC-MAN, they both saw that they were standing in front of a large base, with the steel doors slammed shut.

"First the village of Morrowsville was blocked to us, and now this highly suspicious base is barricaded," Marth sighed, tired that they were going through dead ends every single turn. Just then, Joker noticed a futuristic-looking computer next to the gate. The Phantom Thief of Hearts walked up, and the computer quickly unfolded itself, creating holographic screens and textboxes. The group of fighters then walked up behind Joker, befuddled by the technology presented to them. In order for the group to access the base's gate, they needed to enter a seven-digit passcode.

"Got any ideas?" Joker asked.

"Not that I know of," Mario answered, confused just as much as the Phantom Thief of Hearts, "unless you were to know of this advanced technology mumbo-jumbo…"

"I'm a part-time college student as well as part-time Phantom Thief," Joker replied. "I don't really have much time understanding the complexities of computers."

"What a bummer," Marth replied. "Well, if we were to find a Spirit that can help us like Kammy Koopa back there at the mushroom gorge, that would be great." The Hero-King then took a different path back to the forest up north, followed by Mario, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Joker. Faker was standing around for quite a while, looking back on the futuristic computer monitor. On the holographic screen, the hint for the seven-digit passcode read: Who was Galeem's brother?

…Brother? Faker thought to herself, wanting to understand if the Seraph of Order had a family of his own relation.

"Faker!" Joker called out. "We're waiting for you!" The brown-skinned warrior then remembered who she was traveling with, and she ran down the path the fighters took.

Time had passed, and the fighters looked through the forest to see what they could find. Just then, the group noticed a glowing-green crystal just across a bridge over a fast-current river. Inside the crystal was another fairy, trapped inside and dormant.

"You see that?" Marth asked.

"Yep," Mario answered, stepping onto the bridge. "Whoever's in there definitely needs our rescuing." The red plumber then ran off, followed by his friends and Faker. However, as they were halfway across, a Master Hand suddenly teleported right in front of them, scaring them so much that they almost fell off the flimsy bridge into the freezing water.

"And just where do you think you're going?" the Master Hand asked, floating above them as its fingers slowly curled into its palm.

"We're here to save the person sealed inside that crystal," Mario answered. "You better get out of our way or we'll wail in on you." However, the Master Hand simply laughed.

"Arcadia's Master Hand had described how gullible you all can be," the Master Hand replied. "If he's around right now, he might say the exact same thing I had just described. Now suffer as you fight against one of your friends." Slamming with a powerful fist, the Master Hand shook the bridge, even though the fighters were trying to steady their balance. Once the Hand opened its palm, inside it was the Donkey Kong Primary, surrounded by a white aura and eyes gleaming red. An image flashed on the captured fighter's bare chest, revealing a Master Legendary Spirit in the form of a large, darkened elderly gorilla with ghost-like eyes, and its name was the Ghastly King.

The Donkey Kong Primary roared so ferociously that the warriors themselves were feeling a little frightened. Before the Master Hand vanished, it left behind a cluster of Shadow Bugs, and they each formed into Primids, Triggergoplas, and Halicarptus.

"I'll take care of this bitch," Joker growled, taking off his mask. Blue flames surrounded his gray eyes, and Arsene appeared right behind him.

"King Kong's mine," Joker continued, placing the mask on his waist. The Phantom Thief of Hearts then pulled out his pistol and knife. The Donkey Kong Primary then lunged forward and unleashed a powerful punch, but Joker himself jumped on top of the gorilla's back, clinging onto the brown fur as a vortex surrounded the two fighters, transporting them to another dimension. In the meantime, Mario, Marth, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Faker were forced to fight the minor Subspace Army members once more.


For Joker, he and DK had appeared in a retro-themed version of the Kongo Jungle: Final Destination version. As the Phantom Thief of Hearts walked closer, the Master Legendary Spirit within Donkey Kong's body started transforming, growing larger in size and exposing a gray, ghastly mane on his head, with wispy arm cuffs and breath so putrid anyone within a mile of its radius was sure to drop dead. Thankfully, that was not the case for Joker as he was lucky enough to at least smell how bad it is and not fall unconscious.

"Talk about not even using a toothbrush!" Joker teased, fanning the bad breath away as he admired the towering height of the Ghastly King Spirit. With a mighty roar, the Donkey Kong Primary began using powerful, darkened projectiles from his large fists, throwing them to curve in at Joker. However, as the projectiles were curving in to attack the fighter, Joker jumped into the air, taking off his mask to unleash one of his many Personas: Succubus. With a powerful fiery breath, the Persona coated the giant Donkey Kong Primary's furry coat in flames. Joker then jumped down onto the captured fighter's head, slashing rapidly with his knives. With a powerful slash, the Phantom Thief then jumped off, firing a barrage of pistols at Donkey Kong's face. Joker quickly placed the mask back on his face, watching as the Ghastly King inside Donkey Kong's body run towards him, attempting to unleash slow but powerful punches that would surely knock the Phantom Thief out in just a few hits.

Unleashing Arsene, Joker commanded him to shoot the signature Light Arrow. As soon as the sleeping spell hit, the Donkey Kong Primary quickly fell asleep because of the damage inflicted on him.

"Persona!" Joker yelled, taking off his mask to send out Genbu. Once the Persona cast its icy magic on the Donkey Kong Primary, the captured fighter was frozen in place, allowing Joker to unleash Arsene again. After the Donkey Kong Primary broke free from his cold imprisonment, Joker was seen with blue flames surrounded his face and Arsene was ready to unleash a powerful clap with his wing-like appendages. Before the captured warrior was about to unleash his signature punch, Joker clapped with Arsene following after him, and both the Phantom Thief and his main Persona knocked out the Donkey Kong Primary, only completing the first half in freeing him from Lord Galeem's control.


As Mario and Marth stood back-to-back, bashing Primids on the head with their fists and slashes, PAC-MAN began throwing fire hydrants down on the approaching Halicarptus and crushing them while Olimar threw his Pikmin at the Triggergoplas, avoiding their rapid-firing bullets as the Pikmin themselves took the fire and disintegrated into little ghosts. Faker herself began swinging her sword around herself, trying to get rid of the minor Subspace Army members, but they all somehow managed to avoid her blows. Eventually, the dragon-armored warrior created a fiery blast from her hands, but the sheer knockback caused her to trip onto the ground, landing on her behind. Just then, a Primid walked up to her, simply staring at her.

"W-What do you want?" Faker asked, nervous as she pointed her sword at the Shadow Bug creature. The Primid then gently lowered her sword by the blade, approaching closer and not even attacking her. Sweat was dripping down the brown-skinned woman's face as her golden eyes stared at the creature.

The Primid did not have any intention of attacking Faker, nor any other one of the Subspace creatures in general. It just simply stood there, curious about her. It was as if they had something in common.

"Faker, look out!" Marth cried, swinging his Exalted Falchion downward. The Primid quickly reacted, turning around and clasping the tip with its hands. However, the Falchion itself pierced through the Primid's skin, sliding down and slicing its body in half. Once the Primid died, Shadow Bug juices ran out of its wound. Faker merely looked at the killed creature, not afraid and moreover confused. The Hero-King held out his hand.

"You better be careful next time," Marth groaned, hoisting the brown-skinned warrior up. Faker nodded as her agreement, still wondering more about herself. Shortly after, the fighters managed to force the remaining Subspace Army members to retreat back into the forest, just in time for Joker to appear in the air from the vortex that sent him to his fight, with his Persona Arsene carrying Donkey Kong's unconscious body in his arm-like appendages. The Ghastly King Spirit floated off with the white mist, never to be seen by the group again. Once Joker touched the ground, he put his white-and-black mask back on his face, causing Arsene to drop Donkey Kong and vanish back into the Phantom Thief's body. The gorilla quickly woke up when he hit the dirt, and the first thing he saw was his old rival's face: Mario.

The red plumber grabbed ahold of Donkey Kong's huge hand, lifting the gorilla onto his hind legs. Donkey Kong then turned toward Joker.

"Don't look at Mario," Joker said. "I'm the one who rescued you, you know."

"Look back there!" Faker exclaimed, pointing toward the other side of the wooden bridge. As you can tell, the green crystal from before was broken, and the fairy trapped inside was freed. As the victorious fighters slowly approached the fairy, they noticed she only was three-quarters the height of Mario, featuring green-yellow hair tied up in a ponytail. The outfit she wore was green all over, including the wings, with her belly exposed. Her eyes were blue, and her face was enough to tell the group that she is, in fact, a Mii. As the fairy shook her head, she looked around, quickly standing up and placing her hands on her hips.

"Watcha boys doing here?" the fairy asked with a high-pitched voice.

"We were just… rescuing you…" Mario answered, rubbing his head. The fighters then noticed her being a Master Advanced Spirit, seeing her glowing-green body and rainbow aura.

"Where are my sisters?" the fairy asked. "I need to save them as fast as I can!"

"Uh… what?" Marth asked.

"Don't you guys know?" the fairy continued. "I'm a Fab Fairy, the youngest of three sisters! We just showed up here and only now have we been separated!"

"Hey, hey, hey," Joker said. "Calm down. I'm sure we can get you back to your sisters. Why do you need them, by the way?"

"Why, to open the entrance to the Sky Temple and unlock the path to help you guys defeat one of the monsters that are protecting the Galeem Void," the Youngest Fab Fairy answered. "Us Spirits have been trying hard to barge in to fight that Seraph of Order, but it wouldn't work. Do you think I can join you guys until I reunite with my sisters?" The group of warriors looked at each other, wondering what they should do.

"I guess she can come along," Joker remarked, "but only if she doesn't beg for sweets. That fairy acts tough and looks like she wants to consume anything not salad-related."

"I suppose," Marth noted. "After all, she does seem important to opening that temple… whatever it is…" Without objection, the gang alongside the dragon-armored warrior and the Spirit headed to a nearby ancient stone pyramid, laced with vines and covered with moss.

Chapter 40: The Prescriber

Summary:

As our heroes journey through hills of delicious pastries, they would have to worry more about random ambushes rather than stuffing their faces.

Chapter Text

As Kirby, Villager, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Fox, Link, Mii Swordfighter, and Piranha Plant with the Middle Fab Fairy Spirit on their side of Gallia, they found themselves walking across multi-colored, ball-like hills swirling with white lines and decorated with cotton-candy clouds in the sky. The road itself was made out of golden ribbon.

"What is this place?" Fox asked, both he and the rest of his friends curious just as well.

"These are the Cinnamon Hills," the Middle Fab Fairy answered. "This area may be a sweet as sugar, but the monsters there are rotten to the core." With one step, the Star Fox pilot expected the ribbon road to collapse in midair thanks to their weight, but it was almost solid, like stone. There might have been some magic woven into the silky threads, but walking on a thin path of ribbon is very peculiar indeed. Galeem knew the essential changes necessary to create the perfect world for his own gain. The rest of the fighters then stepped on the ribbon road noticed this too, as the silky texture seemed really out of place.

"We better get going then," Sheik replied. "There's a town and city down south. We might find more Spirits and fighters to rescue there…" The gang then dashed off, with Kirby looking down on the sweet, tasty-looking hills. They did kind of resemble cinnamon rolls after all, hence the name. Only thinking about them more made the pink puffball's stomach growl, and he couldn't help himself. The ribbon road was touching one of them so that Kirby could dive right onto a lavender-colored hill, stuffing his cuddly face with pieces and chunks of the colossal pastry. Only the Piranha Plant and Mii Swordfighter seemed to have noticed, looking down and shaking their heads.

"I know, I know," the Mii Swordfighter sighed. "Don't question the pink puffball." Suddenly, before the group continued further, they heard a cannon fire right at them. A large cannonball was then speeding right towards Kirby, and Captain Falcon quickly noticed it. The bounty hunter quickly dived down to grab Kirby, and a blast of white icing now splattered where the pink puffball once was. After the two fighters slid down the hill, coated in sugary glaze, the eight fighters and the Middle Fab Fairy Spirit saw who fired the cannonball: Iggy Koopa riding a Junior Clown Kart similar to Bowser Jr.'s, accompanied by Luigi dressed in lime-yellow overalls. Both were unfortunately Supporters as they approached Kirby and Captain Falcon, their eyes glowing a bright red.

Once Iggy and the Luigi Supporter grabbed ahold of Kirby and Captain Falcon and generated another large UV barrier, many of the Mii Fighters that were captured by Galeem arrived on the scene, surrounding the remaining six fighters.

"We better rescue all the Spirits and Miis from the Seraph of Order," Fox snarled, pulling out his blaster. "We also gotta protect the Middle Fab Fairy!"

Kirby was slowly waking up to the sound of Captain Falcon being pummeled by Iggy Koopa, followed by the Luigi Supporter slapping harshly. From what the pink puffball could gather, both he and the supersonic bounty hunter are located near some sort of island, where they were on a couple tiny islands of rock surrounded by a huge ocean near a cliffside. In the distance of the tropical island, Miis were riding on jet-skis in a race. It was the ocean side of Wuhu Island.

Quickly noticing Captain Falcon getting beaten up, Kirby took a deep breath, floating over the water and quickly transforming into stone. He landed right in front of Captain Falcon and knocked back the two Supporters. Once the pink puffball helped Captain Falcon up, the two fighters had noticed the puppet fighters landed in the water, struggling to jump out.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Captain Falcon asked. Kirby nodded in agreement, ready to take the risk. The two fighters then jumped near the water, kicking downward so as to keep the Supporters in there and force them to drown. As Iggy and the Luigi Supporter were trying to get out, they were feeling themselves get kicked back into the ocean, trying to climb onto the rocks. Captain Falcon and Kirby were both keeping them in there so that the puppet fighters would eventually get tired and sink, drowning in the water and giving a solid win for the main warriors.

And they were both right. Eventually, after all the jumping from rock to rock and kicking to keep the two Supporters in the water, both Iggy and the Luigi Supporter were getting tired. They had exhausted their muscles after swimming in the water for so long that they couldn't even keep their heads above for air. The Luigi Supporter was the first one to go as the puppet fighter's head sunk into the water, knocking him out. Captain Falcon quickly jumped onto a nearby rock to let Kirby take care of Iggy. Kirby pulled out his hammer, setting it on fire and charging it near the edge of the rock, watching Iggy Koopa quickly jump out of the water with whatever strength he had left and swinging it ferociously. The time spent in the water weakened the puppet fighter's senses drastically, and he received a powerful hit from the pink puffball's hammer, sending him flying to the blast zone and confirming victory for Captain Falcon and Kirby.


Just back at the Cinnamon Hills, Link, Piranha Plant, Sheik, Fox, Villager, and Mii Swordfighter were busy with the possessed Mii Fighters, trying to free them from their enslavement as well as the Spirits that pulled their strings. The Middle Fab Fairy was hiding behind one of the cotton-candy clouds floating in the air, trying to avoid the conflict going on down below. However, once she saw Villager about to receive a blow from a Mii Swordfighter, she quickly fired an arrow for a counterattack. The Smashville mayor looked up at the hiding Master Advanced Spirit, thanking her for her help before continuing fighting.

Quickly jumping from the sky out of the shattered UV sphere was Kirby and Captain Falcon, teaming up side-by-side and punching rapidly at more incoming Mii Fighters. The pink puffball was ferociously knocking out the enemies while the supersonic slugger was using his signature Falcon Punch as the final hits for his attacks. While the chaos was going on, the Mii Swordfighter was clashing swords with another of his kind, terrified by what happened to them.

"I know you're still a people, but you're my people," the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn said, sliding his blade downward while keeping the sword of his armed opponent locked. "You can fight the Spirit inside of you! At least try!" The message did not get to the Mii Fighter himself however. As he kept clashing swords before the Piranha Plant came by and snatched the possessed Mii by the back with his mouth, swinging harshly before flinging him off to a nearby cinnamon bun-shaped hill.

Fox began using his Illusion move, warping inbetween a Mii Brawler and Mii Gunner in a blue aura, preforming a split kick and launching the possessed Miis in separate directions. Piranha Plant and Sheik teamed up with each other, throwing a barrage of needles and spiked balls. Link and Villager ran up next to Captain Falcon and Kirby, pulling out chopping axes and Sheikah Slate bombs so that they can throw them. Suddenly, a gang of Brawlers, Swordfighters, and Gunners threw themselves right at the seven warriors. Only the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn stood his ground as the rest of his friends quickly jumped out of the way, landing from the magical ribbon road into the pastry-shaped hills. The Mii Swordfighter then opened his eyes, revealing golden irises. The sky itself turned dark, and his friends had noticed it too as they simply sat there, covered in white icing and glaze. Surprised, the possessed Mii Fighters tried to jump out of the way, but to no avail. Crosses off-center appeared in the Mii Swordfighter's eyes, transforming them into a gleaming white. The ex-Ultimate Reborn's sword then started glowing a rainbow aura of colors, slashing rapidly. The waves that were shot out from Mii Swordfighter's weapon ferociously knocked back each and every one of the Mii Fighters, for this was his Final Smash: the Final Edge. Once the sky brightened a bit, the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn fell unconscious on the rainbow road as he reverted back to normal and used up his Final Smash's power.

From what just happened, the possessed Mii Fighters thought there was no effect despite the amount of damage dealt to them, but the Swordfighters themselves noticed they were back to normal, separated from the Spirits that had possessed them and free from Lord Galeem's enslavement. Terrified by what happened, the Brawlers and Gunners quickly retreated out of the Cinnamon Hills, running off into the direction of the Galeem Void.

"What the hell just happened?" Fox McCloud asked, climbing back onto the ribbon road. Piranha Plant quickly helped the Star Fox leader get back on his feet, licking his own face of the sugary pastry taste. Once the gang was back on the path, they saw the Middle Fab Fairy floating down from her hiding place, kneeling next to the Mii Swordfighter's body.

"He's still alive," the Middle Fab Fairy assured. "He just needs to rest for a while after using all that power." Kirby then noticed right in front of the group were all these Mii Swordfighters, slowly waking up and looking at the strange new environment around them.

"What happened? What's going on here? Where are we?" one Swordfighter asked, each one of them having no memory of whatever became of them. To each of the Miis' sides were the Spirits that possessed them, including crowd favorites like Flying Squirrel Toad, Viridi, and the Black Knight.

"You… freed us all," another Mii Swordfighter replied, holding the ex-Ultimate Reborn's limp hand. "We… thank you for your gratitude and salvation."

"Uh, don't forget we did most of the hard work," Captain Falcon butted in. Sheik then elbowed him in the chest, leaving the bounty hunter with a confused face.

"What matters is we've gotten a third of Galeem's enslaved Mii Fighters out of the way," Sheik answered, carrying the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn as the Middle Fab Fairy floated next to her.

"Yeah, but the other two types of those human-like creatures are still out there," Viridi's glowing-red Legendary Spirit objected.

"Then all we have to do is keep searching the land until we have rescued everyone," Link remarked, placing the Sheikah Slate back on his waist.

"Until then, all you Spirits can take a rest in the gem inside Kirby," Sheik finished. "We might call you out if there's a major obstacle in the way…" Kirby then stepped forward, that stone of his ready to absorb the Spirits. Each one of those wispy characters, excluding the Middle Fab Fairy, floated right into the pink puffball's body, going through him like it was nothing.

"And what about the Mii Swordfighters themselves?" Fox questioned, with Villager and Piranha Plant looking at each other.

"Suppose we'll just have to keep moving forward and head to the town I pointed out earlier," Sheik concluded. "They can follow us if they like. It's always great if you have an army by your side in hostile lands like these…" Sheik then walked off, still carrying the Mii Swordfighter in her arms down the ribbon road towards the neighborhood. Her friends and the rescued Miis followed behind her shortly after, traveling to their current destination. However, once they were almost there at the neighborhood, Kirby noticed a mysterious figure standing next to the ribbon path, simply waiting for the newly-founded army to arrive.

"What is it, Kirby?" Link asked, with the whole group simply stopping. The Mii Swordfighters, not counting their leader still resting in Sheik's arms, noticed the figure too. Stepping onto the area where the ribbon path connected with the cobblestone was Dr. Mario himself, wearing the doctor's coat, stethoscope, and everything.

"Your victory may have been successful, but it'll be short-lived," a voice spoke from Dr. Mario's possessed body. Glowing-red eyes gave away that this particular fighter was captured, stopping the whole group dead in their tracks.

"Thought I could simply leave you alone without an introduction?" the Dr. Mario Primary asked. "My name is Dr. Wily, and from your journeys you can probably guess what kind of Spirit I am." A Master Legendary Spirit is shown on Dr. Mario's chest, showing an old crook/mad scientist clearly from Mega Man's world.

"Lemme take care of this guy," Captain Falcon warned his friends, walking forward to the captured fighter while cracking his neck and back.

"So the bounty hunter plans on fighting me, huh?" Dr. Wily inside Dr. Mario asked. "Truly a match made for me." The Dr. Mario Primary then turned his attention towards Link, Sheik, Piranha Plant, and all the other fighters and Mii troops.

"As for the rest of you, don't worry. I borrowed some reinforcements for you people to play with," the Dr. Mario Primary replied. "Primids, ATTACK!" Shadow Bugs quickly spawned right behind the captured fighter, slithering in front of him and taking their physical forms, creating the original Primids, Sword Primids, and Scope Primids. While both the Subspace Army monsters and the Mii Fighter troops with Kirby and his team were engaging with each other, Captain Falcon grabbed ahold of the captured fighter all while a vortex formed around the two, transporting them to another dimension.


"Let's get it over, shall we?" the Dr. Mario Primary asked, standing before Captain Falcon. The stage they were at was flat, made entirely out of pixeled bricks and two green pipes that weren't accessible. The background itself was pitch-black, and there were strange turtles and crabs crawling in and out of the pipes in the distance. It was the Mario Bros. stage: Final Destination version.

For the captured fighter himself, a strange capsule with a skull on the front landed in front of the Dr. Mario Primary, opening its crystal-clear hatch. Though Dr. Mario's body was unaffected by the transformation of the Master Legendary Spirit within him, it was very clear that the capsule he was piloting belonged to Dr. Wily.

From four special guns, the Dr. Mario Primary fired orbs of fire, ice, and lightning, launching them towards Captain Falcon. The supersonic slugger quickly jumped and dodged, feeling the elemental orbs slightly brush his outfit. The captured fighter then began rapidly spinning, generating electricity as he dashed towards Captain Falcon. With a powerful Falcon Kick, the bounty hunter managed to interrupt the attack, reflecting the heavy knockback on the Dr. Wily Spirit. The Primary did not give up as he quickly pulled out a mechanical arm on his capsule, cloaking himself and turning invisible, appearing behind Captain Falcon a split second later and catching the supersonic slugger off-guard.

Captain Falcon was knocked back from the sheer damage from the Dr. Wily Capsule's elemental orbs alone, but he kept using Raptor Boost nonetheless. The damage done to the capsule's hatch was starting to show as cracks began appearing, nearly on the verge of breaking. The Dr. Mario Primary knew he needed to keep fighting harder in order to defeat the fighter and avoid the Galeem Lock breaking. However, as Captain Falcon began sticking out his knee and releasing shock waves upon impact, the captured fighter was dangerously close to the blast zone of the flat Mario Bros. stage. He was just about to turn invisible while pulling a cloak over himself, but Captain Falcon quickly jumped off and used his classic Falcon Punch, launching the Dr. Mario Primary out of the Dr. Wily Capsule, stealing victory as a confetti blast echoed throughout the destination.


Back at the Subspace Army fight, the Mii Swordfighters were starting to behead the Primids and chop the Shadow Bug creatures' limbs off, trying to defend the other fighters as well as the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn, who was slowly waking up. He was being comforted by the Middle Fab Fairy, as well as being guarded by Sheik.

"Thank goodness you're up," Sheik said to the ex-Ultimate Reborn while she began throwing flash bombs at the incoming Primids. "We could really use your help…"

Without any time to question how the rest of the Mii Swordfighters were free of Galeem's control, the ex-Ultimate Reborn pulled out his sword, blocking the multiple jabs coming from the Primids. The Miis and the trophies were eventually becoming successful, driving away almost all of the Primids back into their Shadow Bug selves and forcing them to retreat. A vortex appeared out of the sky – the same kind that took Captain Falcon and the Dr. Mario Primary – and the supersonic slugger set his fist on fire and killed the few remaining monsters. After Dr. Mario's unconscious body fell out of the vortex, the Dr. Wily Spirit trapped within him flew right into the gemstone inside Kirby with the strange white mist responsible of these visions. Once the pink puffball's eyes glowed a bright white, both the fighters and the Miis quickly turned around to notice what is happening.

"Are you… okay?" Link asked, trying to touch and comfort Kirby. The pink puffball's body was then hovering a few inches off the ground, and not even the Mii Swordfighter and his people, including the rescued fighters, could do anything to stop this. All they had to do is simply wait and see what Kirby saw in that vision, knowing that whatever the pink puffball saw might be useful in the future.


Kirby rubbed his eyes, seeing that he had the Smash Ball on his forehead again. A fiery geyser then suddenly erupted right next to him, scaring the pink demon. As Kirby was slowly adjusting to the situation he was in, he recognized that he was back on Ignisu, watching Sozo and Hakai guiding the dragon students across the sooty sky. After the young dragons landed, their teachers landed in front of them. In Sozo's mouth was some sort of tiny orb similar to the one used aboard the Undying Light. The golden-eyed dragon then leaned close to the ground, placing the orb on the iron dirt. Some of the students were trying to gnaw off special bracelets on their forelegs, but to no avail.

"It's best if these bracelets stay on your legs," Sozo explained. "The orb I just placed will grant us access to the Sky Temple Training Arena should anything happen to us. Now… let us begin." Walking towards his brother, Sozo began generating flames from his silk-like wings. He took off into the air with Hakai, and the two were preforming some kind of dance in the air. The flames between their wings grew stronger, and the two dragons then flew towards the ground with a flaming slam away from the orb. The ground rumbled and startled the young students. Once a hole ripped through the ground, dim flames were flickering out. All the Dragosmos-in-training then gathered around Hakai and Sozo, waiting for his word.

"First, you are going to be learning about the Rainbolement of Fire," Sozo continued. "As you can see, there are elemental powers we like to call the Rainbolements that make up the world we live in, and anyone who has control over all seven has the power to change the universe as we know it… even beyond."

"You hear that?" Galeem quietly asked his sister. "We could be literal gods."

"I clearly am as excited as you are, Galeem," Phoenix remarked.

"Can you two try to lower your voices?" Ultima whispered. "Our teacher's still talking..."

"However, those who have such abilities in their grasps require massive training to fight for what's right," Sozo sustained. "Anyone who disobeys and uses them unwillingly will definitely suffer the consequences." The young students began murmuring to each other, and the only dragons that kept quiet were Ultima and her two brothers.

"You really don't have to go that deep, bro," Hakai noted to Sozo. "Lemme have a go at this." The purple-eyed dragon then walked with jittery steps towards the young dragons.

"What Sozo means is that all seven Rainbolements are pretty awesome, but anyone that wants more is sure to fall into the forces of evil," Hakai told the students. "Trust me: my brother and I learned it the hard way when we were out at several battles with our father, Lord Ceresor…" Shaking his left wing, Hakai revealed that his silky, normal-looking wing was just a disguise to hide the scars concealed. The young dragons gasped in awe as they saw on Hakai's left wing was a tinted scar shaped much like a humanoid hand. The same applied for Sozo when he shook off his disguise, this time on the right wing, and revealed something similar to Hakai's healed wounds but mirrored.

"These were the battle marks left on our wings," Sozo renowned. "We couldn't fly for months because we became too careless when we first obtained the seven Rainbolements, hence our father giving us the nicknames 'Hands-in-Command' when we took to the skies again. Since then, we have become careful not to fall into temptation. Now… let us start with something basic." The teachers and their students then perched over the hole ripped into the ground, surprised by what they saw. It was almost complete blackness down there save for a few flames and the occasional lava pours, and the earth itself was an unnatural coal color.

"The first Rainbolement is rather basic, and it shows us about the Fire, as mentioned before," Sozo explained. "The Fire focuses on power: the kind that fuels the body and keeps us warm even in the coldest of winters. When those that harness Fire unleash the scorching heat that is commonly seen in most dragons nowadays, they control their own heat and choose whether to accept it or let go of it, depending on which situation they're in. There are many natural Rainbolemental breathers habiting Arcus, but they only earned their powers through the native planets they and their ancestors were born to. Only those purely born on Arcus' soil can master all seven. Hope all of you are ready for your challenge."

"What kind of challenge?" one Dragosmo student asked.

"The challenge of defeating the gelatinous monster – Magmani, the Lava Blob," Sozo finished. "Follow me and focus on the steps my brother and I will take." Afterwards, both commanders dove down deep into the pit. Following them were Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima, and the rest of the young dragons flew right behind. It was rather dark underground, but the magma and flames provided good illumination. The deeper they went, the hotter and denser the air became. Eventually, Sozo and Hakai landed on solid ground, with the young dragons landing behind them.

"Careful," Sozo whispered. "We're here… in the lair of Magmani." As soon as the golden-eyed commander mentioned the Lava Blob's name, there was laughter echoing throughout the holes in the ground. Streams of brightly-glowing lava compared to average magma leaks met with each other at the center only feet away from the dragons themselves. There, formed right in front of the Dragosmos was an overweight, big-mouthed blob that was clearly seen as Magmani. On his neck was a golden chain, and dangling from it was some sort of gleaming ruby.

"Tuik tai nofla treina?" Magmani asked. The obese blob was speaking in Ignisun, and what he meant was, "Who dares enter my home without permission?"

"It is just us, Sozo and Hakai," Sozo answered. "We brought along new students to help with their training."

"Chiniqu kunormi hanazh treino (Every decade you two always bring new students)," Magmani coughed, "ti nu goni washa na tisi tusna: Ignisu Tizna (and everytime you visit me in my humble home you encourage them to touch my prized possession: the Fire Ruby)."

"Tishna chorna (And for what)?" Magmani continued. "Yu taikna kanashi ostina tushnica yinacti olnema (So that you can waste those burning powers when you should have taken me up to the surface to frolic)?"

"That's… not very normal of you today, Magmani," Hakai stammered, backing away as Sozo calmly stood his ground.

"…Chinios quiznoa ostina, tonachni urmani ilnocana (…Everyday I think about the surface world, dreaming what it would be like to roam the outside world)," Magmani growled. "Tichnam ghunas tichan oustana yougnai hashnag outoalena tugosnsoa (But who would really want to hang out with you when you're a simpleton monster that was raised in the darkness his whole life and was forced to become the only guardian of their life source)...?" The gelatinous blob was touching the Fire Ruby around his neck, thinking about the outside world.

"If there's anything we would like to do, perhaps we can help at the cost of the Fire Rainbolement once more…" Sozo replied. The overweight magma monster looked away, pondering about the question that was asked of him.

"Thi… nisu (Okay… fine)," Magmani answered. "Q yi nios tu nutszka tha shickw oa, mawhena theiso dosntisoa nituasi (I will give you what you ask for, but only if you take me to the surface world)."

"Can do, will do," Hakai replied with a joyous smile on his face. A few seconds later, Sozo and his brother walked closer to the obese blob.

"What did the fat guy say?" one young dragon asked.

"He speaks in the Ignisu tongue, which we know, yet he understands the common language," Sozo answered. "Please do not call him that since he is sensitive about his weight. He's basically asking us to pitch in and take him to the surface world."

"How come?" another Dragosmo student remarked.

"He longs to see the light of day after years of isolation," Sozo replied, flying in front of Magmani with Hakai. Breathing gently, the two commanders covered their bodies in some sort of magic to protect themselves from the blob monster's heat. To them, it would feel like carrying a load of slime. However, Magmani's lava body held on tight, so it was hard to simply break him up into chunks and carry him to the surface. Plus, all that magma collected after flowing through the underground cracks really added a lot to his hips. The two dragons attempted on lifting, but Magmani simply wouldn't budge.

"This… could be a bit of a problem…" Sozo muttered, letting go of Magmani's body for a brief moment. Hakai saw his brother stop, and he quickly did the same.

"Shinsiam… turnait B (Alright… plan B)," Magmani sighed. "Ti nostuai sthaow Ignisu Rainbolement dilaskd nini (How about each month I give an increased power in the Fire Rainbolement to these little dragons here)? Tishin daithsk knada tusian tiask nistoi lishaoth ti shaks (That way you can spend each half of the month training from baby steps and another by digging me out)?"

"Sounds like a fair deal…" Sozo noted, landing on the ground in front of the students with Hakai. The young Dragosmo students then walked forward, watching Magmani slip the golden chain off his neck. It sliced through his neck, but the magma skin quickly merged back together as if it was nothing. Fiery powers began flowing from the Fire Ruby, and each wisp went right through the young dragons, each one feeling a new warmth within their chests.

"This is so cool!" Galeem laughed, feeling a gust of fire emerge from his mouth willfully. Most of the young dragons backed away, noticing this new change.

"Careful, Galeem," Sozo chuckled. "You don't want to burn someone on your first day." Magmani then took the necklace with the Fire Ruby attached, slipping it back on his chubby neck. Kirby, who was still watching them this whole time, then started to expect the brightening if the environment, meaning what the vision had to offer for now was over.


Kirby slowly woke up, standing up a bit faster than when he first experienced these past memories. Maybe it was because all those days the stone he swallowed granting him those visions must've made him used to them, but one thing's for sure: they were all too real to be fake. Fox, Link, Villager, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, and Piranha Plant were all surrounding him, wondering if he was okay. To their surprise, the pink puffball jumped up like it was nothing.

"What happened back there?" Captain Falcon asked. "…No need to tell us since we already know you don't talk much…"

"It's probably those visions," Mii Swordfighter answered. The other fighters turned towards the ex-Ultimate Reborn, confused.

"Do you think the stone he swallowed is doing something?" Sheik replied. The Mii Swordfighter simply shrugged, with the rest of the Miis noticing Dr. Mario waking up.

"M-Mario!" Kirby cried, noticing the doctor clone in his usual jacket slowly sitting up as if he just awakened from a coma. The seven fighters quickly rushed towards Dr. Mario, with Kirby hugging the doctor as tightly as he can.

"L-Listen, puffball… I'm Dr. Mario," the doctor remarked. "Hopefully you can understand the difference between me and the real Mario." Kirby broke the hug to quickly know the words.

"Look!" Link exclaimed. "We're almost at the town and city!" The Champion of Hyrule then ran off, with the Mii Swordfighters and the rest of the World of Trophies residents following after him. Kirby simply stood behind, with the Middle Fab Fairy floating towards him.

"I may not know what kind of stories you're seeing, but if you find anything, you can tell us… that is… if you find someone who either knows what you're saying or experiences these visions with you so he or she can tell the others…" the Middle Fab Fairy noted. "Now we better get going. The sun is about to set soon and we need to find shelter in that neighborhood." Kirby nodded, running off with the Middle Fab Fairy to the rest of their friends as the gleaming red sun descended into the horizon.

Chapter 41: The Villages in Peril

Summary:

As Mario's group gets more friendly with Joker, they come across not one, but two villages in need of their help.

Chapter Text

Night was seeping in, coating the sky in a twinkling river of stars. The cool breeze seeped into the dark caves that Mario, Marth, Joker, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Donkey Kong with Faker and the Youngest Fab Fairy were traveling through. It took a while to get to the other side of the cave, but they noticed that it was pitch-black on the other side of the cave, with only the moon shining in the starry background.

"Looks like we're going to have to camp here for the night," Joker noted, admiring the stars without stepping foot outside.

"I'll get food and some firewood," Faker told the group, creating a fireball in her hand so she can light her way through the woods nearby.

"Be careful out-a there," Mario said, watching both the brown-skinned warrior and the Master Advanced Spirit they rescued head out.

"I'm going with her!" the Youngest Fab Fairy said, pulling out her bow and putting on her angry face. "She's going to need defense thanks to her amnesia!" Once the two were gone, the fighters all sat down on the ground inside the cave's exit, with the moonlight shining bright enough to show their faces.

"I… really wasn't expecting any of this," Joker sighed.

"Expecting what?" Marth asked.

"Well, expecting to have my life go so smoothly by being an average high-school student by day and a Phantom Thief at night, ridding the world of the sins that have plagued people's dreams…" Joker answered, "only to have it all crushed by the light and be one of the only few survivors out there that had their homeworlds destroyed and their closest friends transformed into these Spirits… I'm not really comfortable with traveling around the world, and yet I miss mine already..."

"You think you, that Piranha Plant, and the other four fighters you've mentioned before have problems?" Mario explained. "Before Galeem arrived, we were all stranded here, with no memories of our past, for ten long years. Never aging, never getting the chance to head back home. After Tabuu's first defeat, we had decided to settle on Arcadia as our new home… call us prisoners with no guard, if you will. The only one that seemed to have all knowledge with just about everything we have ever done was Sonic the Hedgehog. He claimed that he traveled to different worlds to look for his own friends, only to escape into Arcadia after solving the Master Hand's test and before being transformed into a trophy which renders… our amnesia. However, thanks to the events that had unfolded lately, we've been remembering a bit more about ourselves, even what powers we can use in these… Smash Balls…"

"Right…" Joker said, watching Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Donkey Kong cuddle close to each other and fall asleep. "Have any idea what that test even is? If there really was only one of these… Master Hands? I've heard legends of a giant, floating, disembodied right-hand made of silk that hides in the light realm of my world, and a chaotic, left-handed doppelganger lurking in the darkness, both of them in areas where we cannot reach. They say the doppelganger loves the darkness so much it resides in the shadow of its fraternal, and both have been described being one of many that roam every planet out there, which are by the billions, searching and wandering aimlessly. Few have survived and lived to tell the tale, and I thought that it was just another old-timer ranting about random crap… until I've been stranded here with you guys and actually came across one…" Joker ended his sentence with a slight chuckle, looking out into the pale stars twinkling the sky.

"Well, we really don't know what that test even is, let alone just a random capture and almost like… our souls ripped out from our bodies…" Marth answered, starting to trail off. Then, a brief image flashed in his head, terrifying the Hero-King a bit. The image itself was only a split-second long, but it was enough for him to remember it. It featured the Master Hand himself, placing his middle finger on Marth's face, his index and ring fingers on his hands, and his pinky finger and thumb on his feet, doing something to Marth that somehow showed his Fighter Spirit being separated from his body. As soon as Marth snapped out, Mario and Joker looked at him in a little bit of confusion.

"I'm sorry," Marth noted, followed by a yawn. "I'm just really tired and… lost my train of thought… Goodnight anyway." Without another word, the Hero-King fell fast asleep, wrapped in his own cape. Nonetheless, Joker continued to quietly chat with Mario.

"There's still a lot I have to get my head wrapped in about this world," Joker continued. "Like, for example, that girl that's been hitting on me as of late… Faker, was it? Yeah, she doesn't look like she's from around here, as I've never seen her among the warriors that have survived Galeem's attack. She doesn't seem like a pure-bred fighter either."

"I don't know, Joker," Mario replied. "She's neither of the World of Trophies or one of the few survivors of Galeem's attack. Maybe there's something more important to her than we think, and whatever is disconnected from her head may tell us anything about Galeem's intentions. If only we weren't separated from Kirby and the rest of the gang…" As soon as Mario was finished talking, Faker and the Youngest Fab Fairy returned, with Faker carrying a small bundle of sticks in one hand and two rabbit carcasses in the other.

"We didn't find much firewood, but hey! At least we have a couple of capons to eat for supper," Faker said. Mario and Joker looked at her, noticing she didn't hear a word of what they said since their conversation was private among them.

"About-a time," Mario sighed. "It's getting a little-a chilly here…"

"…I'll start dinner," Faker calmly pointed out, placing the sticks into a bundle at the center of the group, instantly making a campfire with a little effort in her powers. She then was about to begin skinning the rabbit bodies with her dragon blade.

"You clearly don't know how to cook," Mario objected. "Do you mind if we help you out?"

"Why, that would be lovely," Faker replied with a smile on her face. Both Joker and Mario slowly inched towards her, attempting to show her how to roast rabbits properly.

"I'll be guarding the cave," the Youngest Fab Fairy told the three adventurers, pulling out some sort of special arrow dotted with magical musical notes on the tip and resting it on her wooden bow. Everything else from that point forward was rather peaceful, making it through another night without a random ambush.


Morning dawned in, with the whole cast of fighters slowly waking up. The campfire died out, and there were rabbit bones with rather small bits of perfectly-cooked meat on them bundled up in a small pile next to the ashes. The group was slowly waking up, and they heard Faker's voice calling out to them.

"You have to come up here and see this!" Faker called out.

"There's a tiny village up here! We're sure to find something!" the Youngest Fab Fairy finished. Alarmed by this, Mario, Donkey Kong, Marth, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Joker quickly ran out of the cave to meet up with Faker and the Master Advanced Mii Spirit. As soon as the six fighters met up with their two companions, they saw what appeared to be a medieval village. However, there was something different about this place, like it was mostly overgrown with vines, and everything was deserted.

"Mamma mia…" Mario moaned, uncomfortable in this situation. "This is the exact same problem when I was with Link, Cloud, and everyone else I can't think about right now when we visited the village the ex-soldier took shelter in…"

"Sure seems like it," Joker pointed out, pulling out his dagger. The Phantom Thief of Hearts then noticed to their right was the purple-foggy swamp, becoming denser than before, but he felt like it was not important right now. As the group of warriors were walking through the empty village, they felt like something was off.

"Guys…?" Marth asked, his hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword. "Do you ever get the feeling that we're being watched?"

"Sure do," Mario answered.

"Same here," Faker replied, setting her hands on fire and constantly looking around, keeping her guard up. Hiding in each house was a corrupted Mii Brawler and/or Gunner, with a mysterious figure with glowing-red eyes watching the advancing group, somehow undetected. However, once the mysterious figure moved, there was a rustle faint enough for the Youngest Fab Fairy to hear.

"Do you guys hear that?" the Master Advanced Spirit asked, pulling out her bow and arrow at the location she heard the noise coming from. The fighters quickly turned around to see what she meant by this, but when they turned around, they saw Faker already in her battle position, the dragon-tooth sword already pulled out.

For reasons unknown, she began feeling vibrations in the earth, sensing intruders that scampered around in the abandoned village. With her heart beating rapidly, Faker created a fiery ball and threw it with as much strength as she can muster. The exploding impact of the fireball and its targeted village hut caused corrupted Mii Brawlers and Mii Gunners to jump out, as well as the person who was stalking them: Lucas under the Galeem Lock. The possessed Mii Fighters surrounded the group, with the Gunners firing plasma blasts without warning. The Youngest Fab Fairy began to float in the air and fire her Dancing Arrows, hitting only a few Mii Fighters. The enemies were then forced to dance thanks to the arrows' spells, and they were easily distracted from Donkey Kong's powerful, one-hit punch that knocked them out of the village. PAC-MAN and Olimar then jumped on the gorilla's back, with PAC-MAN pulling out a trampoline and grabbing Olimar, and the Hocotate captain grabbed his Pikmin, lashing harshly with the little alien companions against the corrupted troops. Marth, Mario, and Joker all tried to run in towards Faker, who was trying to hit one of the Mii Fighters with her dragon-tooth sword. However, the captured Miis kept jumping out of the way of her swings and quickly approached the fighters that came to defend her. As a small swarm of Mii Brawlers and Gunners jumped on top of Joker, Mario, and Marth, brutally attacking, Faker tried throwing her fiery blasts at the Lucas Primary, who began absorbing the blasts with his PSI barrier. She knew that flames wouldn't be enough to stop the captured fighter.

After the Lucas Primary took another step, he generated vibrations that only Faker could sense, and there was something in her sense hearing that helped her predict her opponent's next move. The Lucas Primary then jumped into the air and began using his PK Thunder move, launching himself towards the brown-skinned warrior. Out of sheer luck, Faker twitched her fingers as she stood still, creating a large rock stub right in front of her and blocking the Lucas Primary's signature attack. Faker then spawned dirt and mud out of nowhere, wrapping it all around the captured fighter's body and trapping him with his head exposed. Faker then lowered the pillar that blocked the PK Thunder move from before, amazed by the new ability she had discovered. She then noticed Marth, Joker, and Mario finally pushing away the Mii Gunners and Brawlers, attempting to join with PAC-MAN, Olimar, and Donkey Kong.

"I got you a new friend!" Faker called out, pointing at the Lucas Primary.

"Wait… how did you-?" Joker asked before being interrupted by Marth.

"Now's not the time for questions, Joker!" Marth disrupted. "I'm gonna rescue Lucas. The rest of you take care of these Miis!" The Hero-King then ran towards the struggling Lucas Primary, avoiding the incoming Mii Brawlers and Mii Gunners. With a single touch, both Marth and the captured fighter were transported somewhere else, leaving Faker, the Youngest Fab Fairy, and the rest of the warriors to try and hold back the advancing troops.


Marth was slowly looking around, noticing the stage he ended up in was an Omega version of New Pork City, and the Master Legendary Spirit that was possessing the Lucas Primary was the Masked Man. In Lucas' world, his name was Claus and he was the older twin brother of the captured fighter Marth was facing right now, but the events that had unfolded in the past changed him drastically, making him into a cyborg void of emotion and personality, and that was just the look the Lucas Primary was going for. Robotic parts began forming on the captured fighter's body, covering half of his face in a helmet with only a glowing-red eye piercing through the right side, and a yellow-beam sword was pulled out from his left arm.

As soon as the Lucas Primary dashed towards Marth, the Hero-King quickly pulled out his Exalted Falchion, clashing with the beam blade attached to the captured fighter's arm. Jumping to and fro, Marth was striking the Lucas Primary with his sword, striking his opponent's main weapon. The Lucas Primary then generated his PK Fire move, forcing Marth to dodge to the other side. The Hero-King was rather safe, but he noticed the end of his cape caught fire. Quickly putting it out by fanning the cape, Marth quickly got up and continued the swordfight between himself and the Master Legendary Spirit that had possessed Lucas.

Slashing rapidly, Marth danced gracefully, moving as fast as the wind on the tip of the Exalted Falchion, watching out for any sudden movements of the captured PSI blonde. With a powerful dash attack, the Lucas Primary was about to hit the Hero-King, but Marth successfully managed to counter the hit, sending the captured fighter flying off with enough damage. The Lucas Primary then tried using PK Thunder to recover, generating an electrical forcefield around him, and Marth quickly hopped up and slashed downward before the possessed warrior could get the chance. Afterwards, the Lucas Primary was knocked-out, and the background of New Pork City collapsed into Shadow Bugs.

Marth was suspended in midair, pointing the Spirit Sniper at the Master Legendary Spirit that had Lucas' body. The Masked Man was in control of the spinning barrier, waiting for the Hero-King to miss. However, the Hero-King did not miss his mark as he sniped perfectly, freeing both Lucas and the Masked Man Spirit from the Galeem Lock. White mist flew out from the unconscious body that had been captured as before.


After an intense fight with the Mii Brawlers and Gunners, Mario, Joker, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, as well as Faker and the Youngest Fab Fairy, managed to drive off the possessed warriors away from the abandoned village, emerging victorious. Marth appeared out of a vortex in midair, carrying Lucas' body in his arms as he landed safely in front of his friends.

"Did you take care of the Mii Fighters?" Marth asked.

"Got them real good," Joker answered, placing his mask back on his face. "They won't be bothering us for quite a while."

"I managed to rescue Lucas," Marth said, attempting to wake the blond-haired boy in his arms. Lucas quickly regained conscious, rubbing his head and showing the normal, cartoony-black eyes he had before rather than the red lights that replaced his sockets. He looked around, curious about where he was at.

"What… what happened?" Lucas asked, hopping out of Marth's arms.

"He saved you," Joker answered, his arms folded across his chest.

"Who are you?" Lucas noted, seeing the Phantom Thief for the first time.

"That's-a Joker," Mario responded, "apparently one of the few survivors of Galeem's attack. In our group, we also have Faker, and the Youngest Fab Fairy."

"Man, are you lucky, Joker," Lucas sighed. "I guess I'm just the little coward around here, huh?" The Youngest Fab Fairy then saw a large gate on the left side of the far end of the village.

"Looks like this is my stop!" the Youngest Fab Fairy cheered, departing from the group. The Master Advanced Spirit flew towards the gate, feeling the fighters a little questioned.

"You guys go on ahead without me!" the Youngest Fab Fairy continued. "This is the gateway to the Sky Temple, and I need the magic of my other two sisters to get through here."

"Um… okay?" Marth replied in question.

"We have to save the rest of our friends!" Lucas whimpered. "Who knows what kinds of terrible stuff Galeem is doing to them right now?"

"Probably nothing good, I think," Joker answered, not even knowing what the rest of the fighters went through.

"The next fighter we rescue might be able to help us in our mission to defeat the Seraph of Order," Mario said.

"Why don't we take a ride in that bus…?" Faker added, pointing to a bus that lead into some sort of cave, and the Kapp'n Spirit was waiting inside at the driver's seat.

"Next stop: the Red-Roof Village!" Kapp'n whooped while honking the horn.

"I think whatever end of the road is waiting for us once we get in that bus is sure to earn us something good," Marth replied.

"…Really?" Joker objected. "Because I just saw a pathway that leads into some sort of… swamp…? I don't really know… How about I go check it out inside the bus while the rest of you can head toward the marshes?"

"I don't think the rest of us see an opinion on why you can't go," Marth answered, shrugging. With a smirk on his face, the Phantom Thief of Hearts walked towards the yellow bus, stepping inside as soon as the door opened.

"You won't go far, right?" Joker added. The group shook their heads, knowing he would be safe no matter what was at the next stop. Kapp'n then drove off into the cave, leaving Faker and the rest of the fighters behind.


Minutes had passed, and Kapp'n's bus was moving fast enough to reach the next stop. Standing at the bus's exit, Joker stepped out, looking around the village he set foot in.

"I'll be waitin' here if ya need me," Kapp'n reminded. Joker then began looking around, amazed by how quiet the next village was, and it was just as dormant as the medieval town they had been in a while ago. Rain began falling from the sky, soaking Joker's raven-black hair and coat. Roaming the forest side of the village, Joker looked to his left, seeing the fissure of light erupting high into the sky, making it such likely that no one can get past no matter how high. Shortly after, the Spirits that had stayed inside of the village – Raiden, Ralsei, Stealth Elf, and Heihachi – appeared right behind the Phantom Thief.

"You should leave," Raiden said. Joker turned around to notice the four Spirits behind him.

"I'm just chilling here, minding my own business," Joker chuckled.

"What we mean is serious," Stealth Elf growled, pulling out her daggers. "Now you have to get out of here or the Shackrabs will arrive, as we told the last two travelers that ended up here…"

"Listen, buddies: I fight monsters all the time," Joker objected, smiling. "Simply adding stupid words to monsters won't make them any more terrifying."

"That name will be if you don't leave this instant," Prince Ralsei answered.

"Just let me take care of my job, and I'll assure you everything will be fine," Joker sighed.

"Good luck!" Heihachi said. "Don't blame us once the Shackrabs tear off your limbs and suck the marrow from your bones!" Joker simply stopped and shook his head.

"Why don't you people leave in Kapp'n's bus if you're so terrified?" Joker asked.

"We couldn't before… but we'll let you pass," Raiden answered. "Thank you for offering us a one-way ticket out of here."

"Don't mention it," the Phantom Thief noted. "Just call whoever's still around to evacuate. I'll try finding an objective that I can do." Joker then walked off, wiping the heavy raindrops from his mask. Once the rain itself cleared up a bit, Joker glared at his right, noticing glowing-red eyes and a white mist shaping what appeared to be Isabelle. The anthropomorphic puppy walked towards him, standing at about half his height.

"Aw," Joker teased. "Aren't you the cutest thing?"

"Who are you calling cute?" a semi-robotic voice spoke from the Isabelle Primary. "My name is Susanna Patrya Haltmann, former assistant of the Haltmann Works Company and daughter of President Haltmann!" Susie was shown to be the Master Legendary Spirit possessing the mayor's secretary, and she looked like she was clearly from Kirby's universe.

"Good choice of body possession, by the way," Joker chortled. "You look really adorable in that vessel. Too bad you're under Galeem's control and I have to kill you anyway."

"Say no more!" the Isabelle Primary snarled, hopping onto Joker's chest and transporting the both of them through a vortex that she herself had created.

Joker slowly kneeled up, adjusting his vision and looking around to see the Town and City from Villager's and Isabelle's world, watching the adorable little puppy deemed as his rival walking up to him, changing her form. First, a special visor formed on the sides of her face; then, her legs vanished as her skirt took a thin, bell-like form. Finally, her arms became detached from her body, pulling out a special blaster as her eyes began gleaming red and the white aura flashed brighter in envy.

"Us Spirits long for our freedom… but after what Galeem did to us, we have no choice…" Susie growled, running towards the Phantom Thief.

"I can spare you both, but you'll have to trust me," Joker sighed, trying to reconcile. "You can simply jump off the stage so there would be no harm done to either one of us. That way, you would be both free from the Galeem Lock."

"Whatever Galeem commands us to do, we have no choice but to listen," Susie answered, approaching closer. "Now, prepare to die." The Isabelle Primary then began firing her little blaster, not even flinching the Phantom Thief as the damage built up. When Joker received enough damage from simply standing there, the captured fighter then pulled out a squeaky hammer, jabbing as hard as she could as she shut her eyes and began swinging away. There was a little pain on Joker's knees, but that was just about it.

Hehe… she's cute, Joker thought, smiling at the damage Susie was trying to do. Well, it was worth a shot. Joker quickly took off his mask, releasing Arsene. The Persona quickly clapped his wing-like appendages, launching the Isabelle Primary far off thanks to her light weight. Susie inside Isabelle's body then quickly called in a special, top-shaped piloting robot with her special visor. However, the deadly bullets and flamethrowers did not prove to be enough as the rage was built up inside Joker and he slashed harshly with his dagger, knocking the Isabelle Primary into the blast zone.

"That was pretty anti-climactic," Joker teased, watching the incoming Shadow Bugs from the background of the stage. "Perhaps next time you should either choose someone stronger or put in a cuter Spirit…"


Time had passed on, and the sky was much clearer with mostly clouds back at the abandoned village. Kapp'n drove his bus out of the cave, and floating out were all the Spirits that were kept inside the Red-Roof Village, and Joker stepped out with a soaking-wet Isabelle in his arms.

"You're gonna be okay, alright?" Joker consoled, rubbing the unconscious anthro-dog's body.

"Hey, if you ever need me, I'll be at the lake next to the base down south," Kapp'n noted, floating out of his own bus. "I can assure y'all it'll be one heck of a trip." The turtle Spirit then flew off into the distance, never seen for a long while.

"Now all the both of us have gotta do is look for our friends… considering they went off without us…" Joker sighed, trying to keep Isabelle's body warm.

"Oh, they already left for the marshes," the Youngest Fab Fairy pointed out. "They can't have gone that far…"

"Great," Joker sighed with relief. "Thanks."

Chapter 42: The Yoga Warrior

Summary:

As Kirby starts to learn more about Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix, his team of friends have more Primaries to worry about.

Chapter Text

As morning arrived over the horizon, Kirby's group was already at the neighborhood. However, due to the fact that the doors were also barred, they were strict enough to not let anyone in. So, they were forced to sleep on the streets in the middle of a couple houses. All they had for shelter was a cardboard hut. It was terrible. Luckily, they managed to get enough rest to continue their adventure.

Kirby was the first to wake up, stepping onto the stone road and look at the towering modern skyscrapers next to the small, common houses. The pink puffball then spat out the stone that was given to him by Faker, admiring the deep violet shining in rainbow colors as soon as the sunlight gleamed on its surface. The Piranha Plant woke up next, moving left to right to walk with that flower pot of his, taking in the first few rays of daylight. The carnivorous flower looked at Kirby, noticing that the pink puffball was sighing. He was probably thinking about Mario and the rest of his friends, wondering where they could be. Afterwards, Link, Fox, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Dr. Mario, Villager, and Mii Swordfighter walked out onto the empty road. Kirby quickly swallowed the gem again, looking back at the Mii Swordfighter as the group walked off.

"You know about the plant, don't you?" Mii Swordfighter asked, mentioning Piranha Plant. Ever since that incident back at the bridge to cross the light fissure, Sheik and the ex-Ultimate Reborn had just found out that the Piranha Plant they had met with was the reincarnation of Petey Piranha, one of the major enemies that was part of the Subspace Army, responsible for capturing both Peach and Zelda in the first place. Kirby, knowing the dire situation, nodded.

"We probably don't know how that plant managed to make it back here, but he seems like he's on our side now…" the Mii Swordfighter noted. "Whatever you see in those visions may help us.. if we can understand you at all…" Both the Middle Fab Fairy and the Swordfighter army arrived from the Cinnamon Hills, exhausted after staying up all night to guard the town for any intruders.

"I don't really understand why everywhere we go, everything's locked up tight," Link noted.

"Maybe it's because of the fact that Galeem sees us retaliating," Sheik answered. "Therefore, the Spirits that he had captured are being dragged here, forced to possess his clones and stop us from reaching to him."

"Why doesn't he just simply use his lasers move again and kill us off?" Fox asked.

"Because that major attack had drained half of his total energy," a voice spoke clearly not from the group of fighters or the Mii Swordfighter army. Standing right in front of Kirby and his group was the Wii Fit Trainer, with glowing-red eyes and a white aura.

"You had just picked a bad time to arrive at Morrowsville," a strange voice spoke from Wii Fit Trainer. "They would not allow anyone in unless with a professional."

"Excuse me… who are you to possess our friend like this?" Captain Falcon asked.

"I am Face Nemesis, otherwise known as Mecha-Fiora!" the yoga warrior admitted, with an image of the transformed Homs-into-Mechon in the form of a Master Legendary Spirit. "You had certainly picked a bad time to just barge in here to our peaceful world."

"Peaceful?" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn asked. "Look around you, sister! Despite how go-lucky everything seems, there's nothing but order, and Galeem's troops are forcing us to do stuff we never wanted to do in the first place!"

"All you have to do is give up our friend," Fox McCloud snarled, pointing his blaster at Wii Fit Trainer. "That way, there can be no need for violence."

"If Galeem wants order, he wants us all to fight to the death," the voice inside the yoga warrior remarked, "and his light will burn away EVERYTHING!"

"Woah… don't wanna get too emotional…" Link forcefully chuckled, sweat dripping down his forehead. The Champion of Hyrule knew this was going to be another tough fight. Link then felt himself grabbed by the neck and taken with the corrupted Wii Fit Trainer, teleported through another vortex. As soon as Link and the Wii Fit Trainer Primary had vanished, Kirby and his companions heard the clattering of chains approaching them.

"Shackrabs," the Mii Swordfighter said, pulling out his sword. The Swordfighter army then drew their weapons, ready to attack the deadly monsters.

"Aim for inbetween their claws," the ex-Ultimate Reborn told everyone. "It's their weakest link." The advancing Shackrabs crawled towards the army, crushing the rooftops of the houses in the process with their strong claws. Pouncing at the group like spiders, the creatures sent by Galeem and his forces attacked.

Many of the Mii Swordfighters began dodging the powerful claws, slicing downward on the chains and breaking them, instantly killing several Shackrabs. Sheik, Fox, and Piranha Plant all began rapidly dashing around the creatures, trying to look for an opening for an attack and striking down ferociously at the monsters' weak spots.


Link attempted on blocking the Sun Salutation attack created by the Wii Fit Trainer Primary, running towards her on the ground that is the Final Destination portion of the Wii Fit Studio stage. The Champion of Hyrule then pulled out his boomerang, throwing it as hard as he could at the yoga warrior. Mecha-Fiora inside Wii Fit Trainer's body kicked out a footbag and attempted to dodge it while she was booting, but she was too late as Link's projectile hit her. The Champion of Hyrule then pulled out a bow and arrow, firing a perfect shot at the Primary before she could react.

Link then pulled out a bomb, throwing it at the Wii Fit Trainer Primary. As soon as she knew what happened next, Link pulled out his Sheikah Slate, detonating it and making a blue explosion. It was enough to knock her off the stage, but she pulled out a set of hoops out of nowhere and planned to recover with the air flowing around her. Link managed to jump up and strike downward with his Master Sword, knocking her straight into the blast zone.

The environment went dark, and Link pulled out the Spirit Sniper, pointing it at Wii Fit Trainer, guarded by Face Nemesis' Master Legendary Spirit thanks to a barrier. The Champion of Hyrule fired, but this time he hit the barrier itself, creating a large gap in the forcefield. The Shadow Bugs that dissolved the stage's background surrounded Link, slowly consuming him at his feet. Link knew he had to fire again to avoid being taken by the Subspace Army. Watching the spinning barrier go faster, Link used a second shot, hitting the Wii Fit Trainer and freeing both the yoga warrior and Mecha-Fiora from the Galeem Lock. The Champion of Hyrule escaped from the retreating Shadow Bugs and grabbed Wii Fit Trainer's rescued body, teleporting back to Gallia.


The only thing Link missed after his fight with the Wii Fit Trainer Primary was the Shackrab attack, and his companions drove the surviving monsters off, despite all the scratches on the fighters' faces and some of the Mii Swordfighters killed. The Champion of Hyrule began carrying Wii Fit Trainer's body back to the group, and both the white mist and the Mecha-Fiora Spirit flew right into Kirby's body. The Spirit was absorbed by the stone, and the mist rigged another vision inside the pink puffball's head, causing his eyes to glow white again. Both the Mii Swordfighters and the group of rescued fighters backed away, waiting patiently for Kirby to come back after what he had seen.

Inside Kirby's mind, the pink puffball noticed he was back on Ignisu, and the landscape itself was slightly changed due to the layers of cooling lava on the planet's surface. Before Kirby could catch a break, the ground underneath him was starting to crumble. Even though he was practically like a ghost in these visions, never seen, heard, or felt by anything around him, Kirby knew he had to get out of the way to see what happened next. A large crack opened up, and out flew a swarm of the Dragosmo students, though they appeared much older than when Kirby had first encountered with them. Sozo and Hakai flew out next, with the Lava Blob Magmani oozing out of the large, gaping crack. After the overweight guardian of the Fire Ruby managed to look out into the sky of Ignisu for the first time, a smile stretched across his face, seeing the dim daylight for the first time beyond the sooty clouds.

"Rechinask ti neos gathan, nini Dragosmos (Thank you so much for your help, little Dragosmos)," Magmani congratulated. "De kira nirs tha wot mia nese mi no (And here I thought you would defeat me as usual for your training exercises)."

"It had been an honor working together as a team to bring you up to the surface world, even though it only took us about a year and five months to dig you out." Sozo replied. "Nonetheless, we have managed to train ourselves into becoming one with the Fire Rainbolement. Thank you for your cooperation, Magmani."

"Thank you too, young students, for helping our friend see the sun," Hakai noted, looking at the students. "Now that we had managed to get our big friend out, you have learned that power is the key to survival once you have the Rainbolement of Fire."

"Tol nisto wi nesia to ansdi toaps heis ni (Now I can reunite with my kind and tell them of how you helped me after all this time)," Magmani finished. "Toask sifs tuia nis doai nora weico nyia sklid Ignisu Tizna weriue taoiss heiw nits mowe thsia Tiko Tuiaso tuasl thassk yosn wersl. Tisan nos weoru kaso, Dragosmos (They had been missing me and the Fire Ruby for as long as I can remember after the Great Eruption that buried our world eons ago. I owe it all to you, Dragosmos)."

"And I'm probably betting after this whole time, they've learned some of your language," Sozo responded. "Now, we must be heading off if we must head to the next planet."

"Resoap," Magmani said before heading off, moving like an average-paced snail.

"Goodbye!" the Dragosmo students answered. Sozo and Hakai then walked towards the young dragons, pulling out the tiny orb that was with them this whole time.

"Now it's time to head back to the Sky Temple Training Arena," Sozo said, pressing three times on the button on his foreleg with his foreclaw. His brother and their students all did the same, teleporting back to the stadium. Kirby saw the Training Arena just on a hill in the horizon, and he felt like he wasn't going to catch up in time. However, the vision itself seemed like all time had stopped so that the pink demon could run there and see what was going on.

After Kirby arrived at the Sky Temple Training Arena, time resumed like normal, with Sozo and Hakai arriving with the Dragosmo students.

"Alright," Sozo suggested. "Eat dinner, wash yourselves, and head to bed. We'll be traveling to our next destination." All of the young dragons were walking off, and only a few of the female students walked away giggling after kissing Galeem on his cheeks. The white-coated dragon with blue-and-orange wings then walked towards Ultima and Phoenix, glad he came here.

"Isn't this great?" Galeem asked with a slightly matured voice. "I'm making so many friends here and we've all been learning how to control our element." With a small breath, Galeem created a little fireball, balancing it on his tongue before it went out.

"Yeah, I suppose…" Phoenix sighed, being a little jealous of his own brother. Ultima placed a foreleg on her brother's shoulder, trying to calm him down.

"I'll be wandering around the place if you need me," Galeem said, understanding Phoenix's loneliness. "Just meet me in our room, okay?" Once Galeem ran off and the Sky Temple Training Arena took off to the sky again, Ultima walked in front of Phoenix, looking at the neglect in his eyes.

"You said that I would be recognized in time," Phoenix sighed, looking on the ground in shame.

"Just give it a while longer," Ultima noted. "Nobody likes to wait for so long. Your chance will come eventually; someday, you might even share it with the world." Phoenix simply walked away, leaving Ultima alone at the stadium's entrance. As Kirby watched, he was rather curious to see what would happen next. While the pink puffball was walking through the walls around the arena, he saw Sozo simply standing outside on a window perch, gazing at the stars beyond the dim-blue barrier. Just then, Galeem walked up to him.

"Commander Sozo?" Galeem asked, standing on his back legs and placing his front legs on the stone fence, looking at the stars and galaxies that passed by.

"What is it, Galeem?" Sozo asked.

"Lately, I've been curious about why so many dragons are becoming interested in me," Galeem asked. "Why is that?"

"Maybe it's because of the fact that seeing you reminds them of light and hope in case something terrible might happen to them," Sozo answered.

"…Light?" Galeem asked.

"Yes," Sozo replied. "Most dragons here aren't nocturnal, and their eyes can only adjust to a little bit of light in the darkest of rooms."

"But what does that mean?" Galeem objected. "I have no idea why I'm reminded of light and hope…" Sozo then walked from the stone fence, followed by Galeem.

"Since the beginning of time, living creatures have utilized light in many ways, whether for food or shelter," Sozo explained. "It was during a time when the darkness had swallowed everything, and there were no stars to pierce through. Turns out you are no different." Galeem seemed rather curious about what one of the two teachers here was talking about and wanted to learn more.

"Tell me more," Galeem said. "How do you know about the light?"

"When you have been raised in the light all your life, then you might know," Sozo answered. "How about I hold you some private lessons so you can learn more about how to harness the light?" Galeem, unaware of the intentions, nodded.

"I suppose," Galeem answered. "I would like to hear about how the light works…" Kirby, who was watching this whole time, walked away, wondering about that conversation. After a minute or two of walking, Kirby noticed Phoenix walking into the shadows, with his tinted-pink wings illuminating a little bright enough for him to see. He headed into the cafeteria, where Hakai was simply sitting there, with his tail moving in a rather seizure-induced manner but otherwise his whole body seemed calm.

"Commander Hakai… I would like some advice…" Phoenix sighed. Hakai looked down on the Dragosmo, curious.

"Pray tell," Hakai said.

"Well, after staying here for about a year with my brother and sister, I had noticed Galeem had been becoming more social," Phoenix answered. "Meanwhile, I am just simply sitting behind-the-scenes, watching my own brother get all the glory while Ultima seemed like the only one who took care of me. Care to explain to me why I am so lonely? Why no one would choose me over Galeem?" Hakai simply sat up, placing one of his foreclaws on his chin.

"Maybe it's because these kids might be scared of you," Hakai answered.

"Scared?" Phoenix asked. "I do not really look that intimidating… do I not?" Hakai then hopped off his seat, looking at the young, black-coated dragon with magenta-colored wings detailed with flames standing right in front of him, desperate.

"You just might be lucky," Hakai replied. "When I was first training with my brother to be a Dragosmo, all of the other dragons acted like they were scared of me, and I wasn't happy…"

"Whatever do you mean?" Phoenix asked.

"Let me give you a little lesson in which dragons refer to as… darkness," Hakai responded. Phoenix felt rather interested all of a sudden.

"You see," Hakai continued, placing his forepaws together, "dragonkin are afraid of you mainly because your looks alone remind them of fear and darkness. Nonetheless, after my years of training, I had noticed that fear usually makes the world go around. It frightens intelligent creatures of what exists when the lights are off, and they learn from it, striving for new ways of survival."

"That… seems enigmatic…" Phoenix said. "I would like to hear more about it…"

"So you shall… during our private lessons later on…" Hakai said with a smile on his face. "Just a little warning: you can't always use fear to get your way…" After Kirby walked away, he entered the room Ultima was staying in. The pink puffball saw lying on one of the beds was the black-coated dragon with her eyes gleaming gold and her wings shining like a spectrum.

I wonder what Galeem and Phoenix are up to at this hour, Ultima wondered, with her thoughts loud enough for Kirby to hear.

Could it be something I did wrong? All of the other dragonlings are split on me, but clearly accepting Galeem over Phoenix. Could loneliness overtake popularity through envy, or the other way around…? As soon as the light in the oil lamp was dying out, Kirby felt himself being transported back to the world he was trapped in at the moment, finished seeing what he wanted to for now.


Kirby woke up to Piranha Plant rapidly shaking his body, trying to wake the pink puffball up. Kirby hopped onto the ground, surrounded by his friends and the Mii Swordfighter army. Dr. Mario quickly ran up to him.

"Thank-a goodness you're safe, Kirby," Dr. Mario sighed, breaking the hug.

"I managed to help rescue Wii Fit Trainer," Link remarked, holding the yoga warrior in his arms. The Wii Fit Trainer was starting to wake up, attempting to jump out of the Champion of Hyrule's arms. She managed to touch the ground after falling out, and she was rubbing her head, feeling uncomfortable about how her trip into hell was.

"Wha… What happened?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked.

"You were possessed by a Spirit and cloned, like all of us were," Fox explained. "You're okay now." The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn and the troops he lead alone so far noticed a few Spirits floating out of the broken houses, terrified. Kirby and his friends then looked at all the Spirits floating off from the neighborhood, except for one Normal Advanced Octoling. She pulled out her Splattershot and fired a glowing-green ink path before flying off. The ink path lead to, in fact, the only way into the city next to the town: Electronica. However, the doors were tightly shut, and there was no switch for neither the rescued fighters and the recruited Mii Swordfighters. For right now, there was no way in… except for malfunctioning the power plant in the middle of the purple-foggy swamp, where the warriors split from Kirby were heading to at that time.

Chapter 43: The Power Plant

Summary:

As Mario's team travels through a heavy swamp, they come across the Werewolf, who is willing to sacrifice his freedom for the greater good. He gives the fighters and the Undying Light a plan to also reach out to the other team, by which involves destroying a power plant.

Chapter Text

Walking through the violet bog, Joker was attempting to reunite with his buddies as well as bring them the unconscious, adorable puppy that was Isabelle back to them, who was snuggled in his arms. The Phantom Thief was getting his leather boots muddy due to the fact that he was in the middle of a swamp, but he was still staying on the stone road nonetheless. Just then, Joker began hearing growling from the marshes, and the harsh noise forced the Phantom Thief to keep moving on with the mayor's assistant. Eventually, he found Mario and the rest of his gang, who were just as lost as he was.

"There you were!" Mario sighed, running towards Joker and gently grabbing Isabelle's body. "We were starting to wonder where you were…" Isabelle was starting to wake up, rubbing her eyes with her stubby paws. She quickly peered at the faces that were Mario, Marth, Donkey Kong, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Lucas, as well as Faker.

"Whe- Where am I?" she asked, terrified. After she stepped back, Isabelle quickly turned around to see the Phantom Thief standing before her.

"Easy," Joker said, trying to calm the shih-tzu assistant mayor. Isabelle then ran into Lucas' arms, whimpering thanks to the place she woke up in.

"What happened? What's going on?" Isabelle cried, trembling. She let go of Lucas so that the fighters could try to calm her down.

"It's-a okay, Isabelle," Mario said, rubbing the secretary behind her ears. "Joker's here to help us so he can put an end to this… Well… technically, it was Kirby that woke up the first few fighters, so thank the marshmallow…"

"You know about Kirby?" Isabelle asked. "Galeem wouldn't even spare the cute ones."

"…Guys?" Lucas asked, his knees buckling. The fighters stopped their conversation to understand what the PSI blond was talking about. "I think someone's watching us…" Once the swamp quieted down, there was a nearby rustling of branches and soggy leaves. Each one of the fighters began looking around to see who was spying on them. Jumping out of the shrubs was the Werewolf himself, but everyone except for Mario knew that and simply mistook him for another monster. Once the lycanthrope appeared, the group began rushing towards the creature in attack form, but the red plumber stepped in front of them, sending his friends to a grinding halt.

"Calm your-a meatballs," Mario said. "It's just the Werewolf. I know this-a guy."

"Indeed I am," the Werewolf replied. "Before you go all nuts over me, here what I have to say…" The group calmed down to understand what the monster was trying to tell them and backed away.

"Galeem is growing stronger by the minute," the Werewolf explained. "He found out you all are retaliating and plans to unleash a stronger army upon the world once his strength is at his highest peak."

"What do you think we should do?" Marth asked.

"I may not have known this place well, but here is a way to weaken his connection with the Subspace Army, the Mii Fighters, and the Primaries with their Supporters," the Werewolf answered. The creature then pointed at Faker.

"Dragon warrior," the Werewolf said. "Quick. Give me your bracelet." He noticed the watch-like device on Faker's wrist and knew what it was capable of since the Undying Light had been the talk of Gallia as mentioned before. The black-haired woman then took off the device and gave it to Mario, who handed it to the Werewolf. Pressing the button once, the lycanthrope contacted the Undying Light crew… well, Professor E. Gadd at least.

"Holy smokes! I did it!" E. Gadd spoke over the transmission. "I have stabilized connection with Kirby and the Piranha Plant and managed to break through the barrier."

"Which is just what we need," the Werewolf said with a little smile on his face.

"What the-? Who's there?" E. Gadd asked in exclamation.

"Pipe down and take notes as quickly as possible," the Werewolf said. "I think I have an idea…" The fighters were anxious to hear this new plan that the Werewolf was about to come up, and they knew it better be good.

"First, you would need to keep going down the bog and keep fighting until you come across a power plant," the Werewolf continued. "Sneak into the plant and use the Zap Fishes to navigate puzzles. There, you will come across a rather obnoxious Spirit, but he will be important in a minute. Then, defeat the captured fighter guarding the main source of the power plant. Once you find an attempt to not electrocute yourselves to death, cut out the power source. This will open all of the gateways to the town and city it barricades, giving your friends a chance to access paths they could not before. Afterwards, head down south to the secret base and defeat Galleon – the Subspace Cyborg. This will weaken the Northern Barrier protecting the Galeem Void and break open the barrier that separated you all from your friends in the first place."

"Then do we have a chance of going back to them?" Mario asked.

"You will, but you need to continue forward after clearing the base," the Werewolf said. "Afterwards, head over to the lake east of the mushroom gorge – but beware of the legendary Rayquaza. Ask for a world tour and kill off the invading armies that are spreading across the globe and retreat them back here, for the land you stand on is really a magical island located in the middle of the ocean. Keep going east until you find a green pipe. This will take you back near the bog, but head north to the mountains. Go out into the depths of space until you clear a path to the Galeem Void, and make sure you have the obnoxious Spirit. He is very important for this mission.

"Meanwhile, the other group would figure out the gates are open and go from the forest near the ruins where we first met all the way to a waterfall northeast of the Cinnamon Hills. After rescuing the Oldest Fab Fairy, they will make it to a castle above the waterfall and defeat the main villain in the castle: Giga Bowser. By this point, all three of the Fab Fairies would have reunited at the gateway to the Sky Temple and do their dance to break the spell. The rest of you all head over there and defeat the Primaries guarding special treasures. These treasures will seal off the light fissure, allowing a safe path for your friends to cross. Whatever happens, wait until the Northern Barrier breaks.

"By this point, your friends will come across a maze where they will defeat Duon: the conjoined Shadow Bug twins. After Duon's defeat, a light will guide them out where they will continue up north until they reach the Floating Islands. Once they have finished with their usual fighting matters, they will take an orange pipe and head to a beach. By this point, they would have found a Spirit to help them sail across the ocean. They will then reach an island where a powerful Rathalos will be waiting for them. Afterwards, the forcefield protecting the Galeem Void will be broken, and a hopefully-improved Undying Light ship will come and rescue them, dropping them off next to their friends and allowing you all to take revenge against the Seraph of Order and bring peace to our world."

"Wow," E. Gadd sighed. "That was a big mouthful you just said there, but I managed to write the whole thing down and now I hope that this plan works…"

"You are welcome," the Werewolf answered. The lycanthrope then pressed the button to end the communication and tossed it back to Faker, who managed to catch it in time.

"That is all I have to afford to help you on your mission," the Werewolf said. "We might meet again in time…"

"Thank you so much for everything," Joker said before the Werewolf ran off, never to be seen evermore. Eventually, the group continued on, this time with a plan that has a high chance of success. Only when they were all walking for a minute did they hear another growling sound, this time from behind them.

"Was that the Werewolf again?" Joker asked, slowly turning around once the bushes rustled.

"I don't think that's the Werewolf…" Mario answered. The group slowly turned around to come across Duck Hunt, with the duck perched on the dog's back. An image flashed on the Duck Hunt team, revealing it to be the legendary Pokémon Zygarde in his 50% Form. Grabbing Isabelle, the Duck Hunt Primary magically trapped all the fighters in golden cages except for Faker. The brown-skinned warrior quickly pulled out her dragon-tooth sword and rushed as fast as she could towards the captured fighter and attempted to save Isabelle. However, it was too late as both the Duck Hunt Primary and the anthropomorphic puppy vanished, leaving Faker alone to deal with both approaching ReDeads and Puppits, as well as free her friends in time so she wouldn't have to fight on her own.


Isabelle, who quickly hopped up, saw she was standing on pixelated ground, with 8-bit ducks flying off from a grassy field. Standing before her was the Duck Hunt Primary, who was quickly changing form into Zygarde into his Complete Form, with hexagon-patterned tentacles dotted with red, blue, and green replacing the legs of the dog and the wings of the duck. The captured fighter then sent out a sombrero-wearing Wild Gunman, who quickly fired at Isabelle. Panicking, Isabelle quickly pocketed the bullet the moment it was close to her face. Once the Duck Hunt Primary rushed forward towards the assistant mayor, Isabelle flung out the bullet that was fired at her, flinging it at the captured fighter team. Gaining enough confidence, Isabelle flung her fishing rod at the Duck Hunt Primary, who pulled out an explosive can and an invisible Zapper was shooting it towards her. As soon as the hook snagged onto the can, Isabelle flung it back at the Duck Hunt Primary and launched him off, building enough damage for her to use close combat.


Meanwhile, back at the swamp, the ReDeads began shouting thrilling screams that stunned anyone in close contact on the ground, and the Puppits slashed with their powerful claws, but Faker somehow managed to dodge both of these actions as she tried breaking open the golden cages with rocks she generated with her newfound powers.

"Come on," Joker snarled, firing his pistol at the creatures while attempting to saw open his golden prison with his knife. "Get us out of here…"

"I'm… trying!" Faker answered, trying to make a dent on Joker's cage. Combining both fire and earth, she managed to heat up molten lava. A few drops splashed on the bars, melting a tiny hole through them.

"Stand back, Joker," Faker warned. The Phantom Thief backed away as far as he could in the tiny space that was available for him, and the amnesia-infected warrior grabbed onto the golden bars, melting a way out. Once Faker went back to fighting with the ReDeads and the Puppits, the melting metal quickly cooled down, allowing Joker to squeeze through. The Phantom Thief jumped inbetween a Puppit attempting to skin Faker from behind and sliced the monster's claws off with his knife. After stabbing the Puppit in the head, Faker quickly turned around to see Joker shooting at the incoming ReDeads.

"I got this," Joker said as he dashed towards the creatures. "Free the rest of our friends!" Faker nodded and ran as fast as she could to the levitating cages, using the lava trick from before to melt the bars.


While Isabelle was gaining more confidence in her attack power, the Duck Hunt Primary tried shifting its body into a metal coat and spamming with explosives. However, that did not seem to work as Isabelle simply pocketed and threw them back, or jumped into the air and slammed downward with three turnips bundled together. She managed to hit before the Duck Hunt Primary could react, and she began firing her slingshot right in front of her once the captured fighter was thrown towards her. As soon as the captured fighter was offstage, Isabelle pulled out turnips again, slamming downward and meteor-smashing, winning the battle against the Duck Hunt Primary.


As the number of monsters was drastically decreasing thanks to the number of fighters freed, Faker managed to save Lucas, who just so happened to be the last one trapped. The dragon-clothed warrior then pulled out the PSI blonde and saw that the ReDeads and Puppits retreated.

"Looks like those creatures were of no match for out teamwork," Joker said with a smile on his face. The group congratulated each other, glad they managed to escape danger again as before.

"You know… you kinda remind me of my friends…" Joker sighed. "Brave, loyal, compassionate…" Olimar walked up to the Phantom Thief, patting Joker on the knee. Just then, a vortex appeared in the center of the group, and Isabelle with Duck Hunt's unconscious bodies hopped out. She placed the dog and the duck on the stone-hard road, standing victorious. Both the white mist and the Master Legendary Zygarde Spirit floated out of the swamp.

"I have slaughtered the beast!" Isabelle cheered, rubbing her skirt and placing her stubby paws on her hips. Mario rubbed the duck member of the Duck Hunt team, a little curious as how the weakened duck was awake but not the dog. Isabelle then pushed between Mario and Duck Hunt. She lightly tapped the Duck Hunt dog with her squeaky hammer, and a few hits were enough to wake up the dog.

The Duck Hunt team tried making sense of where they are at this point, completely unaware of what happened to them after their bodies were captured, cloned, and possessed. Donkey Kong began poking at Duck Hunt to see if they were fine, and he was responded with a snarl from the dog.

"Easy, easy," Marth said, rubbing the Duck Hunt dog's coat. "We've got a mission to complete and we could really use your help." The Duck Hunt duo quickly sat up, ready to risk their lives for a one-chance mission.

"The first step is to keep wandering the swamp until we reach the power plant," Mario said.

"…Speaking of which, I think we're already there," Lucas answered, pointing east. The group looked to the location they were going to: the power plant. There was already a barbed wire on top and bottom of the metal fence when the team arrived, complete with deadly voltage traveling from the posts themselves.

"Who could have guessed we'd be stopped by a fence?" Joker asked. The Phantom Thief ran as fast as he could and jumped over, without any of the wires scratching his leather jacket. Joker then waved his hand, signaling Mario and the gang to follow in after him. Each one of the fighters managed to get over the barbed wire in time, with Faker following in after them.

"Stay, Faker," Marth warned the brown-skinned warrior. "This is personal business. You be on the lookout while we sneak in." Faker nodded, watching the fighters run off to the base. Joker was the first one to lead them, and he was looking around the building for a way in. Eventually, the Phantom Thief pushed aside a manhole cover on the ground, jumping in. With a quiet whistle, Joker signaled the rest of his friends to go in one at a time, with Mario hopping down. The red plumber then created a fireball to light a way through. Afterwards, Marth, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and Lucas jumped in by that listed order. The disgusting smell in the sewage walls was enough to make anyone pass out, but they would not let a little putrid garbage scent get in the way of their mission as they walked forward.

Later, Mario and Joker came across a ladder that led upward. The Phantom Thief climbed up and pushed the manhole cover to the side, peaking his head and looking around inside the power plant. There were Octarians piloting seats with ink-filled assault rifles, guarding what appeared to be Zap Fishes found in different locations. There were gaps too wide to simply jump over between the steel bridges that all connected to the main power source, which was constantly churning out electricity.

"Follow me," Joker whispered, climbing up a nearby ladder up to the first steel platform. The group then followed in after the Phantom Thief, climbing up behind futuristic boxes. Hiding, Joker peeked out to see an Octarian clearly keeping its eyes on a Zap Fish, not paying attention to what was behind it. This allowed a chance for Joker to quickly sneak up behind the Octarian and catch it by surprise, grabbing its body and slashing with his dagger on the creature's neck. After the Octarian's body dropped dead, turquoise ink leaking out from its wound, Joker stole the Zap Fish from its location, placing it on an empty pedestal. The Phantom Thief waved forward as soon as the steel bridge appeared, alerting the group to follow in after him.

Hiding behind another pile of boxes, Joker signaled Lucas to take care of the two Octarians guarding another Zap Fish. The PSI boy then let his Rope Snake slither out of his shirt, undetected by the Octarians until the serpent attacked. First, the Rope Snake caught one Octarian in a coil and choked it to death. After the second Octarian detected the serpent, the creature tried firing but the Rope Snake quickly slithered behind him and bit with his venomous teeth, instantly killing the Octarian. The Rope Snake then grabbed the Zap Fish and glided back to Lucas, who quickly walked out and placed it on another empty pedestal, spawning another bridge to walk across. The group then continued sneaking through the power plant, taking out Octarians and using the Zap Fishes to complete puzzles to the main power source, trying to go by unnoticed. Just then, after the group of fighters hid behind another pile of boxes, Joker suddenly noticed someone standing out from the Octarian troops. From what the Phantom Thief saw, it was a green-colored Greninja Supporter, standing behind a group of Octarians that were attempting to defend the power source. Joker then pointed to Olimar and told him in sign language to bring forth his little Pikmin army and abduct the Greninja Supporter while still trying to be undetected by the Octarians. The Hocotate captain nodded and began plucking out as many Pikmin as he could, quietly. The Pikmin began crawling below the Octarians' feet underneath the steel bridge, jumping out onto the Greninja Supporter. The puppet fighter tried calling for help, but the Pikmin were fast and clever, so they clasped the Greninja Supporter's mouth shut and held his limbs together without making any noise. The Pikmin then dragged the Greninja Supporter underneath the bridge, and they were all undetected by the Octarian troops.

Once the Pikmin headed back to Olimar, Joker quickly grabbed ahold of the Greninja Supporter. Before the puppet fighter used his magic to create a stage surrounded by a barrier out of nowhere, the Phantom Thief cut his throat before the Greninja Supporter could get the chance. Once the Supporter's corpse disintegrated into Shadow Bugs that retreated, a glowing-green Slippy Toad appeared in the group of fighters, with the Advanced Spirit surprised.

"Thank you so much for saving me, guys!" Slippy Toad cheered. "I don't know what I would do without you!" Joker quickly grabbed ahold of the Advanced Spirit, trying to shut the obnoxious pilot from Corneria up before they were detected by the Octarians.

"Listen here, you little bitch," Joker whispered. "Don't make this as difficult as it needs to be. Now… listen carefully. Head north to the mountains where there will be this little space area. Wait for us until we get there."

"How come?" Slippy asked.

"Because we were given strict instructions to do so," Joker answered. "Fly out of this plant as fast as you can, and don't go noticed."

"I will," Slippy quietly responded. "Once again, I bid you thanks for rescuing me." The annoying Spirit then flew out as fast as he could out of the plant, leaving the fighters alone.

"That was-a close," Mario whispered.

"Hopefully the Octarians didn't notice us," Joker murmured with a slight expression of guilt on his face. "…They noticed us, didn't they?" Thanks to Slippy's congratulations, the Octarians had found where the Smashers were hiding and had now surrounded them, ready to fire with ink-loaded assault rifles.

"…Yep," Joker sighed, knowing their cover was blown. The Phantom Thief then jumped on top of Donkey Kong, patting him on the back to move right now. The gorilla grabbed the remaining fighters and jumped up, avoiding the ink splatters from the Octarian assault rifles. Donkey Kong then landed with a powerful slam, knocking out most of the Octarians with brutal force. Mario, Olimar, Marth, Lucas, Isabelle, and Duck Hunt all jumped off to take care of the Octarians while Joker dashed towards the main power source. As soon as the Phantom Thief was closing in on his target, a tiny force twice as big as his head slammed right into him with electrical damage. Joker quickly got back on his feet to see an adorable Pichu Primary, surrounded by a white aura. The captured fighter looked at the Phantom Thief with angry red eyes and lunged himself towards the survivor of Galeem's attack. Joker managed to grab ahold of the Pichu Primary, with just enough time to see an image of the Master Legendary possessing Pichu: the Great Zap Fish. With as much force as he could, Joker threw the Pichu Primary at the main power source. The sheer voltage shocked the possessed Pokémon, with the Phantom Thief hoping for it to die of electrocution. What he didn't know was that the electrical damage done to Pichu only made it stronger, and it had fully charged the Pichu Primary. Sitting up with a sooty body, the captured fighter charged up his Skull Basher move, heading straight towards Joker with no fear of holding back.

"PERSONA!" Joker shouted, pulling off his mask and unleashing Arsene. With a powerful clap, Arsene managed to successfully hit the Pichu Primary back into the power plant, where the poor creature was electrocuted to death this time, separating the Spirit from its body without the need of another roulette with the Spirit Sniper. Once Pichu's body dropped to the ground, Joker quickly picked up the Pokémon's fragile body, watching the power plant itself start to cave in thanks to the recoil damage inside the power source. Mario, Marth, Donkey Kong, Olimar, Lucas, Isabelle, and Duck Hunt were also backing up near the power source, fighting against the incoming Octarians.

"We can't hold them back!" Mario shouted. "There's too many of-a them!"

"And we'll die if we don't get out of here right now!" Joker exclaimed. The Phantom Thief hopped onto Donkey Kong's back again with Pichu's body in his arms, and the gorilla grabbed the other fighters and barged out of the power plant, leaving a massive explosion behind them that had supposedly killed all of the Octarians. Donkey Kong with the fighters then jumped over the barbed wire fence, meeting up with Faker. The brown-skinned warrior, alarmed by the destruction of the power plant, ran towards her friends to see if they were all right.

"We're okay," Marth answered without Faker asked. Pichu was slowly starting to wake up, wounded by the electrical damage done to his body but still alive.

"Well, we got what we came for so let's head to that secret base from before," Joker replied. "Hopefully all that risk was worth something for the rest of our friends…"

Chapter 44: Two Visions

Summary:

Once the locked gates open for Kirby's team, the pink puffball tries to make sense of the training dragons in his visions.

Chapter Text

One hour passed, and Kirby's army was still waiting for the city gates to open. The Mii Swordfighter army spread out across the town, rescuing whatever Spirits they could find from Supporters and monsters, while the Middle Fab Fairy accompanied Kirby, Piranha Plant, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Villager, Mii Swordfighter, Link, Fox, Dr. Mario, and Wii Fit Trainer as they waited for a way through. Suddenly, a couple of Mii Swordfighters came back with the Spirits Buliara and Booker.

"Your ex-Highness," one Mii Swordfighter spoke to the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn. "We had found these Spirits intruding the border of Morrowsville, claiming they were simply guarding until we arrived…" The two Spirits then passed through the Mii Fighters' arms like ghosts, approaching the fighters.

"What do you think you baboon-brains are doing here?!" Buliara asked, pointing her spear at the current group. "Those walls were designed to keep intruders like you out!"

"My fair vai, please," Link answered. "This world is already in so much danger that walls alone won't keep Galeem's armies out. And besides, you're already trapped here as it is, and we're doing our job to help everyone. The least you could do is accompany us…"

"We haven't even found our friend yet!" Booker growled. "Wish you a last goodbye once those monsters start tearing up everything." Both Booker and Buliara vanished, floating off. The moment the Mii Fighters walked off, Kirby and his friends felt the ground rumbling. The gate itself was starting to open thanks to the power source cut out from the city, and this startled the group as they quickly ran near the gaping doors. The Piranha Plant was the first one to stand up front, and he was ready to face some challenges in the city no matter how tough they were due to the fact that his tongue was flapping out of his mouth like a dog's. However, as soon as the doors opened to a reasonable width, the poor flower felt his spotted face punched by a green boxing glove. Piranha Plant was launched through the Middle Fab Fairy and hit Kirby, creating a powerful collision between the pink puffball and the carnivorous flower. Captain Falcon ran over to the two fighters, helping them up while everyone saw who was waiting at the door for them. It was, in fact, Little Mac, red eyes and rainbow aura with everything else, complete with the Master Legendary Spirit Balrog from Ryu's and Ken's world to go with him.

"Everyone stay back," Fox McCloud warned his friends, pointing his pistol at the captured fighter. "I'll take care of this-" However, before he finished, Piranha Plant quickly ran up to the Little Mac Primary, preparing to spit out poison. The carnivorous flower then quickly bit the captured fighter's chest, triggering another vortex to spawn around the Primary. Without a need for the golden cages, all Kirby and his friends could do is wait and hope the flower makes it out alive.


The Piranha Plant wriggled out of his flower pot, hearing a crowd cheer around him. The flower then saw he was in a dark environment, with a roof of bright lights over his head and a large screen in the background, ready to broadcast a fight. Hearing a dull whoosh, Piranha Plant quickly ducked into his pot to see the Primary's fist right above him. The Piranha Plant then lunged out of his pot, biting harshly at the Little Mac Primary. The captured fighter landed right in the center of the ring, charging up a powerful punch. Piranha Plant began spitting out a poison cloud, drastically building up damage as the cloud lingered. Due to the fact that the Little Mac Primary could not flinch from attacks thanks to his nearly-charged move, the captured fighter shot straight out with a flaming fist, but the carnivorous flower managed to shield in time. Thanks to all the buildup damage, Piranha Plant managed to grab ahold of Little Mac and continuously bite, finishing off with an upward throw. As soon as the Little Mac Primary was knocked out, the only sound that remained on the disappearing stage was the generic crowd cheering Piranha Plant's name.


While Link, Mii Swordfighter, and a few others were waiting for Piranha Plant to make a return, Kirby fell asleep on the concrete road, feeling rather impatient. Just then, a vortex appeared in front of the opened gate doors, and Piranha Plant appeared with something big in his mouth that his face stretched twice as big. Once the carnivorous flower spat out who appeared to be Little Mac turned back to normal, the small boxer quickly woke up covered in cold saliva.

"You know this doesn't wash off easily, right?" Little Mac asked, watching Piranha Plant smirk while covering his face with his leaves. The white mist and Balrog Spirit that were inside Little Mac's body floated out of the vortex. Everyone watched as they entered inside Kirby as usual, but instead of waking up the pink puffball instantly it simply let him sleep, as if the visions were transferring Kirby to a dream…


The Sky Temple Training Arena was dark when Kirby woke up. The first thing he heard were fighting sounds coming from the central stage in the middle of the stadium. The pink puffball then ran towards where the sound was coming from, and there he saw Ultima training with Sozo and Hakai in the middle of the night. He watched from a distance and admired how the black-coated dragon with rainbow wings was kicking in midair with flames on her claws, listening to the commands that the two generals of the Dragosmo Army were giving her. Sozo and Hakai then took off into the air, striking with friendly combat blows of their own.

"Strike! Kick! Unleash a ball of fire!" Sozo said as he blocked the blows from Ultima's perfect moves with his tail.

"Get a little more on the wild side!" Hakai taught, dodging the thrusts from Ultima's tail. "That's how you do it! Now… unleash your most powerful attack to the greatest potential!" With a deep breath, Ultima began spinning in the air, creating a flaming tornado in the middle of the stadium and knocking both Sozo and Hakai back. Once Ultima finished, she began feeling rather dizzy after spinning so quickly. As she slowly descended, Sozo lunged in towards her and pinned the young dragon to the ground. Once Ultima was lying on her side, the golden-eyed commander placed his front paw on her neck.

"Never let your guard down," Sozo explained, giving Ultima some space. "Battles are always meant to be unfair, so your opponent will strike you down, even if you ignore your fight for a split second. The lesson is: always keep your eyes open. However, you did very well in these private lessons. We're both proud of you, Ultima." The young Dragosmo student then sat up, shaking off the dust from her own scales.

"It's too bad Galeem and Phoenix couldn't join me while I had my own private lessons," Ultima sighed, looking back at the topmost room where she and her brothers were sleeping at.

"They both probably had their own reasons," Sozo said. "One is growing curious about popularity, and the other feels rejected. It is your responsibility to make sure they have made the right decisions in order to get through life, for reality is never fair."

"Yeah," Hakai noted. "One day, you're going to have to let go of the past and put away your toys. That's the way the bread crumbles. Hopefully your brothers might take notice of that too."

"What I don't understand is… why me and my brothers?" Ultima objected. "I clearly don't hear any of the other dragons having their own lessons." Sozo was just about to answer, but suddenly looked up at the sky, noticing a rusty-red planet surrounded by icy rings.

"We're here at our destination," Sozo said. "You may have to place your question aside and wait until later." While the Sky Temple Training Arena was slowly approaching the planet, the other hundreds of Dragosmo students headed to the center, staring in awe at the peculiar planet in the starry sky.

"For our next year in training, we will be living here on Chikuo, home of the Earth Rainbolement," Hakai explained. "Here, the Crystal Sharkanoids will be helping us achieve our goal right now." As soon as the Sky Temple Training Arena landed on the rocky surface, all of the young dragons left towards the entrance except for Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima.

"Where were you?" Phoenix asked Ultima.

"I was busy training with Sozo and Hakai throughout the night," Ultima answered. "I noticed you two came home one at a time after being exhausted, so I thought I could give these private lessons a try."

"We understand… but why do you wanna do that?" Galeem asked.

"I suppose I want to train to be the best of the best, like you boys are doing," Ultima answered. "…We better get going if we want to catch up with our teachers."

"Agreed," Phoenix renowned, flying off to the entrance while leaving a neon-pink trail behind his wings. Galeem took off behind the black-coated dragon with a blue-and-orange swirl twisting into golden sparkling behindhand, and Ultima followed in midair with a spectrum trail. As Kirby watched, he wanted to see what happens next once the dragons set foot outside of the Sky Temple Training Arena and onto Chikuo and followed after them.

Once the doors opened, Hakai and Sozo stepped outside with the Dragosmo students following in after them, setting foot on an orange, barren surface. The sky itself was a rusty red, only showing the depths of space since there was no atmosphere to protect the planet's bare, smooth surface from its star's radiation. Thankfully, the dragons of Arcus were somehow adapted to such harsh conditions on a barren planet, allowing them to walk without multiple symptoms.

"Follow us, pupils," Sozo said, walking with Hakai across the stone surface. "There is a hidden entrance in this exact location, allowing living species to thrive underground." The golden-eyed leader then stopped at a certain location, tapping and scraping the ground with his paw. Hakai joined in too, combing the rocky-hard surface for some sort of entrance. Just then, the violet-eyed general began tapping a metallic material instead of stone.

"Found something!" Hakai called out to his brother. The violet-eyed general then flapped with his wings, blowing away the dusty surface to reveal a way through. The dragons students then gasped in awe as they saw a colossal, futuristic door covered in rust and meteorite markings right below their feet.

Sozo then pressed his front dragon claws close to the ground, generating some sort of energy inbetween them. Matter began forming right out of nowhere, creating a rock just the size of the general's head. Sozo then picked up the stone with his mouth and walked right above where the two shut doors closed tight near each other. A strange rumbling suddenly occurred, and the doors started opening. Knowing what happens next, the dragons began flying into the air to watch the stone drop into a vast, empty abyss pitch-black to the naked eye. An elevator then started rolling up, revealing to be a hovering circle with the stone from before in the dab center of it. Once the dragons got onto the elevator, Kirby still in his Smash Ball possession ran onto the platform before an orange barrier closed over it. After the platform lowered deep underground, the doors slid shut, and the platform illuminated an orange light. The dragons that were kept inside were descending farther into Chikuo's crust, protected by the crushing pressure surrounding them.

"So… what is this Earth Rainbolement we're going to be learning about, General Sozo?" Galeem asked, looking at the diamonds embedded in the stone-hard ground.

"The Rainbolement of Earth serves as defensive and tough, basically impenetrable barriers," Sozo answered. "Just as the fire gives us power, we also need to learn about wisdom. The Earth can become as old as time itself, and with it the knowledge of better understanding. Once we head down to the planet's core, you will be having a stay at the Crystal Sharkanoids' best dojo and learn how to control that particular Rainbolement through the Earth Citrine." The protected platform then dropped through the lava-flowing mantle, quickly dropping down to the core. After the platform with the Dragosmos landed, the magma dripped away on the barrier's surface to reveal a utopian empire hidden deep underground, coexisting with crystalized nature. There were futuristic buildings hanging both up and down, and some were even connecting like the stone pillars. Flying pods were zipping around, and there were a few Crystal Sharkanoids approaching the dragons. Each Crystal Sharkanoid had the heads of different breeds of sharks, but they stood with a posture identical to humans, and they had powerful fins on their arms, legs and tail to help dig through any rough surface and "swim" through it.

"Welcome to the Core Zone," the lead Crystal Sharkanoid decorated with golden jewels introduced. "My name is Blacktip, current ruler of Chikuo."

"You can speak the common language?" one Dragosmo student asked.

"Of course," Blacktip answered. "We had plenty of visitors far and wide and have learned how to speak many different languages, including the one you speak. So… I take it you're hear to earn powers through the Earth Citrine, haven't you?" Blacktip toyed around with the golden necklace that held a glowing-orange gemstone in front of his neck.

"Pretty much," Hakai responded.

"Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if you stay, but recently I have been forced to take care of several problems, most of them involving something to do with the planet's core…" Blacktip sighed.

"Whatever do you mean?" Phoenix asked in the group of Dragosmo students.

"You see…" Blacktip went on, "we Crystal Sharkanoids have become full-bred miners, and we have adapted to living underground. At this depth, you're bound to find something valuable to sell in the space black market. However, all of the rare sources we have harvested are nonrenewable and are slowly draining our planet to waste for nothing but paper and more metal currency. What I meant to say is that we have been getting rather greedy, and few of us are becoming more fearful of the entire planet collapsing in on us and burying our entire civilization. However, thanks to riots and budget problems, I'm the only one left who still believes our nation is doomed if we don't do something."

"Why don't you lead your people up to the surface?" Ultima asked. "It would save your kind and you wouldn't have to worry about being buried alive…"

"I would like to help lead my people to the surface, but…" Blacktip said. "The main issue I'm having is… we only used the robots we have created to sell the minerals we have mined for food, and none of our kind has ever been to the surface due to a very thin atmosphere. Besides, we have quickly adapted to living under such intense pressures." Sozo sat up and tapped the rim of his mouth with his front claw, thinking about a solution to the Sharkanoids' problems. Suddenly, the earth started rumbling above the dragons, and a large stone pillar was about to fall right on top of the Dragosmo students, ready to crush on impact. As the young dragons screamed in fright, Sozo and Hakai quickly flew up, creating matter out of the thin air and forming molten hot lava to weld the pillar to the ceiling as quickly as possible. Freezing the magma with their icy breath, the two generals had managed to stop the pillar from falling on their students.

"See what I mean?!" Blacktip asked. Hakai and Sozo landed onto the ground, relieved that their students were okay.

"You say you adapt quickly to your surroundings, right?" Sozo asked. "How about you give us the Rainbolement of Earth while you take your empire and living creatures and bring them to the surface?"

"Are you sure you want us to do that?" Blacktip asked. "It would take about a year and several months to get everything checked, and I don't think even the surface would support all our weight."

"Which is why you must give our students these abilities to harness the earth," Sozo explained.

"But where would we get the resources to provide for our species?" Blacktip asked.

"You have your technology," Sozo finished. "I'm sure you can create something out of the minerals you have harvested over the centuries."

"Thank you ever so much," Blacktip sighed with relief. The Crystal Sharkanoid then rubbed the Earth Citrine on his neck, giving it a radiant glow. Mists then flew into the young students, giving them new abilities.

"You now have access to the Earth Rainbolement," Blacktip said. "Now you best hurry, young Dragosmos. The Core Zone will fall apart one day, so I hope you would get going…" Both the ruler of the Crystal Sharkanoid and his guards then headed back towards the futuristic towers, leaving Sozo, Hakai, Ultima, Galeem, Phoenix, and the hundreds of Dragosmos-in-training to rebuild the planet's core.

"Okay, class," Sozo explained. "You know the drill: we help those in need, we also learn how to harness our powers at the same time." Once the students took off into the air, Sozo and Hakai followed behind them, ready to teach them. While Kirby was still spectating the event that was currently unfolding right in front of him, the environment blinded around him, which means that it's over for now.


Kirby woke up back at the gate near Morrowsville, feeling the Piranha Plant nuzzle him before licking his cuddly-pink body to wake him up. The pink alien hopped up, rubbing the carnivorous flower on the head.

"Finally," Sheik said. "You're awake. While you were busy sleeping, the rest of our friends traveled around this city that is known as Electronica. We had also managed to clear most o the city from the Supporters, and we've been doing less and less of that spinning-barrier roulette…"

"Last one!" Link called out from the city, holding a Peach Supporter dressed in red by the neck. "All I had to use was a Staff item and boosted shooting items, then afterward kill off the main puppet from a distance before time ran out. And BOY, was she hard." After slashing his Master Sword once to kill the Peach Supporter, a Normal Legendary Pauline Spirit from Mario's world floated out of the now-Shadow Bug clump. Once the mayor of New Donk City went inside Kirby's body, the Mii Swordfighter looked at his group with a little bit of suspicion.

"Do you guys get the feeling we're missing someone?" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn asked. The group of fighters became rather curious as to who could still be missing.

"I know we've heard back from the Mii Fighter troops we gathered so far, but I noticed our group is still empty," Little Mac noted.

"There's still a lot of us still under Galeem's control," Fox explained. "Who else could we be missing?" All of a sudden, the Star Fox leader heard some sort of soundwave approaching towards them. Visible orange soundwaves then appeared in a straight line, giving Fox plenty of time to recognize what was going to happen.

"Everybody get out of the way!" Fox yelled, with him and his friends quickly backing away from the soundwaves. A large blast of ink then began shooting out in a beam, and the group quickly saw that it was none other than their friend Clementine – the Inkling – using her Killer Wail. Once the powerful weapon vanished, Inkling quickly pulled out her Splattershot, triggering Kirby and his friends with the usual glowing-red eyes and white aura.

"Stay back, everyone!" Fox exclaimed, pointing his blaster at who appeared to be DJ Octavio inside the Inkling's body. Kirby, however, pushed Fox aside and attempted to fight the orange squid girl on his own.

"Why won't anyone let me have a chance?" Fox sighed, facepalming himself.

As the Inkling Primary began firing her Splattershot at Kirby, the pink alien ran up to the captured fighter and pulled out his hammer, ready to set it on flames and swing it hard before another vortex appeared between the two opponents.


The Shadow Bugs in the vortex's area started gleaming a bright golden, and the stage that was formed appeared as a modern utopian battlefield, with multicolored ink splattered on the sides and skyscrapers with untranslatable language that only cephalopods can read. The Inkling Primary landed first, with octopus tentacles now squirming in place of her fingers and hair-like appendages as she glared with red eyes at the pink demon that was standing before her.

The captured fighter chirped in an Octoling language from DJ Octavio's voice, firing away with her Splattershot. The orange ink began splattering all over the stage, and Kirby floated to and fro, avoiding the ink splatters. Once he was at a reasonable distance, Kirby inhaled the Inkling Primary before she could throw a Splat Bomb. The Inkling's true Fighter Spirit took over Kirby's mind as he gained the Copy Ability from the captured fighter. The orange, squid-like hair appeared on Kirby's head, and his eyes gleamed the Smash Ball logo once more.

Once the Inkling Primary was spat out of Kirby's body, she jumped into a large flying robot with a stereo attached to the main control seat. Scratching the two record discs, the captured fighter unleashed two rocket-powered fists coated with metal and decorated with bling knuckles. The Inkling Primary then began mixing the sickest beats she could come up with, and she started attacking Kirby. The Inkling Fighter Spirit controlled Kirby's body and began firing with her Splattershot, shooting at the captured fighter and avoiding the fast-speeding fists. Once the two fists slammed with punches so powerful that they were buried in the ground upon impact, Kirby with the Inkling Copy ability jumped on top of the two rocket arms. After the Inkling Primary noticed she was low on ink, Kirby began slapping her repeatedly with an Ink Brush. Once the two rocket-powered fists emerged from the ground, they auto-targeted the pink puffball and were closing in on him. Before the captured fighter could grab Kirby, the pink puffball with the orange, squid-like hair shot out into the air with Super Jump. As soon as the rocket-powered fists closed in on the Inkling Primary, there was nothing DJ Octavio inside the squid kid could do to avoid his own attack as the stereo-bot exploded on impact, nabbing a victory for Kirby and Clementine's Fighter Spirit.

Kirby, dazed and confused, tapped on his own forehead to feel the Smash Ball stuck to him once more. Apparently, he could not catch a single break as a large clump of rocks fell on top of him. However, because of the fact he was like a ghost in these visions, Kirby walked out shaking, although possibly traumatized. He saw he was back at the Core Zone, but almost all of the Crystal Sharkanoids' technological cities were absent, and all that was remaining was an empty space ready to cave in. Just surrounding the pile of rocks that fell on top of Kirby were a swarm of dragons, each one appearing to have increased in size. He had also noticed Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix in there as well, ready to help clean up.

"Now do it again, like you have practiced all these months," Sozo called out from a reasonable distance. The flying Dragosmo students began dancing in the air, and they waved their front legs in some sort of dance pattern to rebuild the rocks into their shape. After the pillar was reformed, half of the small group of Dragosmo students tried holding the pieces in place while the other half, including Ultima and her brothers, combined the Earth Rainbolement with the Fire one to use the lava trick that Sozo and Hakai had shown before and welded the two pieces together. Their flapping wings were used to cool down the magma, and the small group took off before they recognized something off… well, Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima anyway…

"General Sozo?" Ultima asked, she and her brothers flying towards the golden-eyed general.

"What is it?" Sozo sighed.

"Don't you feel like there's no point in trying to rebuild the Core Zone?" Ultima asked. "I mean… whatever we build, the laws of this planet would come around and destroy these things, forcing us to build again…" Just as Ultima finished, the pillar that she and her brothers had just helped fix crumbled again, causing another earthquake to occur.

"Besides," Galeem noted, "the Sharkanoids had been waiting for a rather long time to land on Chikuo's surface, and they had been cramped in these spaceships."

"Perhaps once the landscape changes, the soil will overturn, their native plants will be well-fertilized, and this might be the chance to give their home planet a perfect atmosphere," Phoenix replied. "Let us have nature do its usual business, just like your brother, General Hakai, said."

Sozo then quickly made up his decision, and he pressed the button on the watch-like device on his wrist to teleport him back to the Sky Temple Training Arena. Hakai saw what his brother was doing and quickly did the same. Afterwards, Sozo's voice was broadcasted on the Dragosmo students' devices.

"Alright," Sozo explained. "Stop what you're doing and get out of here. There's no point in trying to fix something that always breaks. Now move it!" As the Core Zone kept rumbling, every single one of the young dragons warped back to the stadium, and the last few pillars supporting the higher ground broke. The dense rocks and magma thousands of miles thick fell on top of what the great civilization of the Core Zone called their home, and Kirby was about to be caught in it all. Before anything landed on him, the whole environment went dark, and the rumbling stopped.

As soon as Kirby opened his eyes, he had noticed a rocky, jagged landscape that had really shaped the face of the planet Chikuo. The atmosphere above him was becoming a little bit denser thanks to the microscopic plants growing in the rich soil, tasting the thin air for the first time and giving it new life. As if he wasn't doing anything, Kirby felt himself instantly transported to the entrance of the Sky Temple Training Arena, where he and the young dragons were looking outside to gaze upon the planet's surface.

There were widened craters, canyons, dust clouds, and mountains making up the planet's face rather than just a big, plain desert completely void and bland. Few of the Crystal Sharkanoid ships began landing on the surface, realizing everything is calmed down now and they can see the outside world for the first time.

"Thank you for everything, kids," Blacktip spoke over a special transmitted message. "Because of you fellas trying hard, we can finally see our own sun for the first time in thousands… millions of years. We can use the soil that has been upturned for more fertile lands and exchange what minerals we've salvaged for water to fill our rivers. See you all when we get the chance!"

"You're welcome," the Dragosmo students cheered. Sozo and Hakai then walked in, recognizing how tired most of the students were after a year and several months of both training and repairing rocks.

"Okay," Sozo sighed. "Because I've realized how exhausted you all might be, I'll be extending the time to our next destination. So just take a break and we will arrive at our next planet in a few days." The dragons then began walking off, heading back to their rooms.

Once Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima headed back to their main room, the former was just about to join his brother and sister before he felt a little tap on his front leg. Galeem turned around to see another female dragon, different from all of the other friends he made before and was not noticed by him until now. She had a golden snowflake texture on her scales, and her wings glistened like silver diamonds.

"Do I notice you from somewhere?" Galeem asked, a little curious about this new dragon in front of him. The dragon only giggled in response.

"Well, one of my friends must've told you all about me," the dragon answered with a smile.

"Oh… now I remember," Galeem noted. "You're Medley, the dragon that spends a little bit of time with her sister…"

"Now you know," Medley noted, brushing her wing against Galeem's back spikes. "And there are also a lot of secrets you can learn from me. I like a person who is reminded of hope…"

"Alright…" Galeem sighed. "Just a little clarification, I don't want to be too proud of my powers. Who knows what might happen?" The white-coated dragon then walked off with his new friend, and both Ultima and Phoenix were watching it all. Phoenix, feeling rather heartbroken, slumped down on the bed.

"You said I would be taken one day," Phoenix wept. "Where is that day, sister?" Ultima placed her front paw on her brother's back, understanding how he feels.

"I don't have any real friends either," Ultima confessed. Eventually, she noticed that Phoenix would like at least one other person in his life besides Galeem and herself, and even then... Galeem was starting to become a little too popular. Perhaps he could lend his own siblings a friend once in a while. Suddenly, a bright idea hit Ultima, and she quickly flew out of their room, leaving the door open. After a few minutes, the black-coated dragon with spectrum wings appeared with another female dragon almost her size.

"Medley had been talking about having a sister who dreamed of being recognized by someone, and I think you might be happy about that…" Ultima said. Phoenix sat up on the bed to see a dragon about his age coated in violet diamonds and black snowflakes on her wings.

"Hi," the female dragon sighed. "I'm… Katzen. Pleased to meet you…"

"…Ultima, thank you," Phoenix sighed, having his heart lifted for the first time in a long while. "I've never actually had someone in my life before…"

"And hopefully you resentment of your brother getting all of the good friends in the arena might not get in the way of your relationship with Katzen," Ultima answered.

"She's just all I need for now…" Phoenix answered happily. "Thank you for helping me." With that said, Ultima walked out of her own room, glad that her own brothers have someone most important to take care of in life. Once the hallway quieted down, Sozo and Hakai walked up behind her, ready for another private lesson with her.

"I didn't want to see Phoenix be all miserable," Ultima said.

"We realize what you've done to make you brother better, but was it the right thing?" Sozo asked. As soon as the vision was over, Kirby's mind was transported back into his body back into Gallia.


Kirby woke on top of Inkling's body, unaware of what happened back there. As soon as Fox McCloud walked up to the pink puffball and lifted him off, Clementine quickly jumped up, with no memory of what happened.

"Squoo-by!" the Inkling chirped, being lifted up by Link.

"Are you okay?" Fox asked Kirby. The pink puffball quickly jumped onto the road, nodding that he was alright. Sighing with relief, the current group of gathered fighters was about to approach the city of Electronica again before the watch-like device beeped on Piranha Plant. The carnivorous flower pressed it once, and a transmission from Barbara the Bat appeared.

"Go through the city back to the ruins, and quick!" Barbara said. "There would be no time to explain everything! We've mapped out the World of Light, and there are a group of Shackrabs miles away from your destination!" The transmission then ended.

"Best we get a move-on," the Mii Swordfighter said. Waving his hand to call back his Mii troops, the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn grabbed Inkling's arm and went with his friends through Electronica.

Chapter 45: The Secret Base

Summary:

Upon gaining access to a secret base, the fighters confront Galleom in the beliefs that he might be one of the bosses guarding the Northern Barrier.

Chapter Text

Mario and his own teammates stood in front of the base that sealed them outside before, with Faker standing beside Joker as he cuddled Pichu in his arms.

"Well, we're here," Marth said. The Hero-King then looked to the laptop that served as a way in if they had figured out the passcode, noticing the gate itself was already opened by none other than the Susie Spirit, who was leaning next to the computer this whole time. The passcode itself vanished before any of the fighters managed to catch a good glimpse at it.

Noticing the new change to the base's entrance, Mario and his gang instantly knew that getting into the base was their next step. The red plumber then walked off, followed by Marth, Donkey Kong, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Lucas, Duck Hunt, and Isabelle. Pichu woke up cuddled next to Joker's chest, and the small mouse Pokémon quickly hopped out and ran in with the Phantom Thief of Hearts following him. Faker was about to join them too, but first she turned to Susie.

"What… was the passcode?" Faker asked.

"Galeem's brother," Susie answered. "Turns out the answer was Phoenix before it… glitched all of a sudden and spelled something different… I've got to tell you before it vanishes from my memory. Rigging the computer's system would do minor things to your head so that your mind forgets what they're talking about…"

"What did the passcode say then?" Faker asked. The Master Legendary Spirit was just about to answer before she was interrupted by Faker's friends calling.

"Hurry up!" Joker called out. "We haven't got all day!"

"C-Coming!" Faker responded before turning back to Susie. "I'm so sorry. I have to go…"

"That's alright, considering you'll probably learn about your identity in time," Susie sighed. "See you later, if there ever would be one." The brown-skinned warrior glad in dragon armor ran into the base, trying to catch up to her friends.

Walking through the secret base, the group of fighters looked around for any surveillance cameras hidden in plain sight, only to find out there weren't any. Usually, a base would be showing military troops hiding powerful equipment, but it seemed empty like everywhere they had currently been. The group was just near the door, ready to walk into an open base. All of a sudden, a large blade beam attacked the fighters out of nowhere. Joker managed to grab Pichu and Isabelle as he jumped out of the way, but the other fighters were knocked back from the collision. Riding on jetpack-like boots was none other than Mega Man himself.

"Spies have intruded the base," a different voice spoke from Mega Man's body. "Do I have the right to attack?"

"Permission granted," King Bulbin spoke over the speaker attached to the Mega Man Primary's face. "Make sure not a single one of them lives." The transmission ended, and the captured fighter pulled out a katana beam sword, which gleamed turquoise under the sunlight.

"Gemnu Zero!" the Mega Man Primary shouted, unleashed a powerful beam down onto the ground, targeting first Olimar and then moving on to Marth.

"I'm betting it's that Zero Assist Trophy with the Z-Saber we've forgotten about, huh?" Marth asked. The Hero-King recognized the Ryuenjin as his fiery slash, the Kuenzan as his spinning move, and even the Kuenbu and Hienkyaku as his jump and midair dash as the Mega Man Primary closed in on the other fighters.

"We've got to take Mega Man down in order to proceed!" Marth exclaimed, countering the powerful beams from the captured fighter's Z-Saber.

"On it!" Mario answered, dashing as fast as he could towards the blue bomber. Mario quickly pulled out his golden cape, reflecting another Gemnu Zero attack back at the captured fighter. The Mega Man Primary was quickly knocked back onto the concrete ground, bruised and broken with bits of wires sticking out of his possessed body. Mario quickly landed in front of the malfunctioning Mega Man Primary. Mario then threw his cap on the captured fighter's head, managing to avoid the fiery uppercut from the Mega Man Primary as Mario himself was sucked into the blue bomber's body.

"What the…?" Joker asked, a bit confused as to what happened. From what both the Phantom Thief and his friends could gather was that Mario managed to use his Cappy companion to capture the Mega Man Primary with the red cap and moustache still present on Mega Man's face. Not even Zero's Master Legendary Spirit could be able to control the body which he has taken over for now. However, before Mario could use the Z-Saber to stab Mega Man's body with it, the Galeem Lock instantly pushed the red plumber out of the blue bomber's body. Feeling mocked, the already-captured fighter kicked his own right heel to activate his only-functioning jet thruster. Though it had slow startup, the jet send the Mega Man Primary dashing faster than the group of fighters could react. Standing calm and collected, the team of warriors stood their ground as the captured fighter approached closer. Once the Mega Man Primary unleashed his Z-Saber again, Joker pulled out his dagger and stabbed the captured fighter right in the painted-titanium chest, instantly killing the Mega Man Primary.

Once the blue bomber dropped dead, a bright light flashed on Mega Man's body. Even if the light was blinding enough, the group of fighters saw that the Zero Spirit was floating off with the white mist that was supposedly the Galeem Lock broken. As soon as the light faded, Mario slowly approached Mega Man's fully-healed body, tapping the metallic skin to wake the blue bomber up.

"Pichu…?" Pichu asked as he hopped next to Mega Man's head, jabbing lightly with his delicate paws. The friction of Pichu's scratching managed to wake Mega Man up, and the red glows in his pupils were gone. The android pushed himself off the concrete ground, with Lucas helping him up.

"What happened?" Mega Man asked in his normal voice.

"There was the usual possession by Spirits mostly from your home world... mumbo-jumbo," Joker answered before Mario could speak. "The point is: we saved you from potential doom and that is that." Just then, an alarm was blaring all over the secret base, alerting the military troops hiding inside.

"Alert!" a robotic feminine voice spoke from the speakers. "Intruders have infiltrated the base."

"Follow me," Mega Man said, running off to the side of the base. Mario, Marth, Joker, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and Pichu with Faker all shadowed behind the blue bomber, climbing on a ladder up the walls as King Bulbin rode out on Lord Bullbo with Bokoblin troops.

"They can't have gone that far," King Bulbin growled, turning to his men without even noticing the group of fighters climbing onto the roof. "Make sure the Mii Fighters and the Subspace Army defend Galleon at all costs. We can't have the Galeem Void broken."

"But we don't know who told them about this plan," one Bokoblin objected. King Bulbin then approached the Bokoblin that spoke and slapped the creature hard on the face. Meanwhile, Mega Man on the roof managed to open a small emergency exit into the base.

"Don't give me that bullcrap!" Bulbin snarled, not aware of Donkey Kong stretching the metal on the roof wide enough so that he and the rest of his friends could get in.

"One of Galeem's followers has betrayed him in order to foil his rules!" Bulbin continued. "Once we find him, we'll give him the horrible treatment he deserves! Until then, it's up to the armies and Supporters we sent out to keep this world in check! Now let's ride off!" The Bokoblin King then lashed his steed Bullbo, and the mutant pig galloped off with the Bokoblin troops following after him. By that time, Mega Man and his companions had already jumped into the secret base, ready to look for Galleon, the Purple Giant.

With Mega Man in the lead, the blue bomber quietly began sneaking around for a way to Galleon, for the gates to where the Subspace Cyborg was waiting for them was sealed off by futuristic gates. Afterwards, the fighters managed to find what they were looking for as they snuck through the halls: computers to override the gates, guarded by Mii Fighters, Shadow Bugs, and Supporters.

"We need to find a way to get the gates open without getting caught," Mega Man explained, hiding behind a wall with his friends.

"Uh… just a quick reminder: we're already targeted so it wouldn't matter if we go in stealth or in plain sight," Joker objected. "However, if you want to find a way through here… just look up to me. I'm the definition of stealth." The Phantom Thief began hopping behind the three kinds of troops, undetected. Before any of the Supporters, Subspace creatures, or Mii Fighters in that small group managed to catch Mario and the gang hiding behind the wall, Joker began slashing from behind with his dagger, shooting any witnesses with his pistol shortly after. The Phantom Thief then ran towards the computer marked "1".

"Override… manual… gates…" Joker typed as he literally said those words. A browser folder then appeared on the screen, with a shutdown button at the bottom-right. The Phantom Thief dragged the computer mouse over the icon and double-clicked, with a window appearing just as he was finished.

"Are you sure you want to shut down? This computer will be permanently disabled if you do so, granting access through gate no. 1," read the window. Sighing with annoyance, Joker clicked the yes option. The screen on the laptop went black, and the futuristic laser gate with the number 1 glowing on its surface vanished.

"Now's our chance!" Faker whispered, dashing towards the next computer that was right in front of her. There were Supporters and Primids present, and they somehow avoided Faker as she went right to the computer and began attacking the other fighters. While the group of companions engaged in a short battle, rescuing more Spirits in the process, Faker managed to get the second gate open, calling her friends to advance.

After Mario and his friends managed to emerge victorious in their small battles with their enemies and two more gates were opened, the group was almost to the final gate where their main target was waiting for them. However, when the warriors arrived at the main computer system, they noticed it was already dark with the futuristic gate labeled "5" providing the only illumination here. Even then, there were still a lot of computers to browse through and see which one the key to their current objective is.

While the small team of fighters began typing away on the keyboards and clicking the override icons with the computer mice, Joker heard some sort of scuttling noise. The Phantom Thief stopped his work as the rest of his friends carried on without him, slowly approaching the source of the noise. As soon as Joker was about to give up, his leather jacket snagged on a cardboard box. Marked with the Smash Ball symbol.

That's strange, Joker thought. …What's a box doing here? Growing a little suspicious, the Phantom Thief grabbed ahold of the cardboard box, lifting it up to see who it was underneath. Surprise to behold, it was Solid Snake, with the white mist that signaled the Galeem Lock, red pupils, and everything. Even the Master Legendary Spirit that had possessed his body – Liquid Snake – seemed to prove it.

"You know… you should really pick a better hiding spot rather than a simple cardboard box left out in the open," Joker teased before Snake kicked the Phantom Thief down to the metal floor. Joker's friends instantly stopped what they were doing and caught Snake pinning Joker down, pushing the Phantom Thief's pistol from his face.

"Leave him alone!" Lucas cried, grabbing the Snake Primary with help from his Rope Snake. Tossing the captured fighter into the air, Lucas managed to combo his throw with a little bit of his PSI abilities. Joker quickly got up and grabbed the Snake Primary from behind as soon as a grenade was pulled out. The rest of the fighters were about to team up with Joker before they were stopped.

"Stay away, guys!" Joker snarled, attempting to choke the Snake Primary from behind. "This is a fight between me and the mercenary!" The Phantom Thief then tossed the captured fighter with the grenade into a row of computers, with the explosion destroying them in the process. Before the Snake Primary could get up, Joker grabbed ahold of the captured fighter and began swinging him into different computers.

"Figured if we can't browse through every single one of these doohickeys, we might as well break through them!" Joker growled, slamming the Snake Primary into the central computer. The electrical blast instantly rigged the last of the gates to open and shocked the Snake Primary to death in the process. After the smoke cleared, Faker pulled away the rocks that she used to protect the fighters. The dim lights in the base went back on, and in the wreckage was Joker, battered and bruised, attempting to wake up Snake.

"Snake-a!" Mario exclaimed, running towards the unconscious mercenary. Isabelle dashed next to Joker, watching as the Phantom Thief slapped Snake back to awareness. With a powerful smack, the mercenary quickly woke up, free from the Galeem Lock and back to normal.

"What the… Where am I?" Snake asked, groaning as he was hoisted up by Joker. The mercenary saw the familiar faces of his friends right in front of him, but he did not recognize the Phantom Thief that had just saved him.

"Who the hell are you?" Snake continued in question. Faker walked up to the front of the mercenary, trying to explain in a brief sentence.

"It's a long story, and I probably won't have enough time to explain what's happening," Faker answered. "Let's just say that I'm Faker and this is Joker. Unlike me, the Phantom Thief is one of the only people who has survived Galeem's attack."

"Survived?" Snake said.

"Like Faker explained, it's complicated," Marth finished. "Now do you think you can help us in our mission to defeat Galleon? We've got a plan that just might save us all and this is one of the many steps in doing so."

"Why wouldn't I?" Snake refined. "I've been waiting to kick that seraph's ass for as long as I was probably under possession." Faker then rushed to the opened gate, heading down to a large, empty room. The recruited fighters caught up to join her, seeing nothing but metal walls and flickering lights.

While the team was slowly walking down the place, Lucas seemed to be the only one completely nervous about this whole situation. He began trembling as he thought he heard the sounds of metallic grindings to the point that he began sparking up PSI powers in his fingertips. Joker was the first one to notice Lucas's knees buckling.

"What's the matter, kid?" Joker asked.

"Yeah," Snake replied. "I'm sure a few of us have faced against that robot monkey before… well, Marth with two of his friends anyway. It's no big deal." Lucas shook his head from that response.

"It's what happens after you defeat Galleon," Lucas noted. "Red and I noticed it when we went searching for his Pokémon, deep in an ancient temple. I'm quite positive Marth noticed the explosion too, and even without admitting it is too afraid to go-" Before the PSI boy could finish, a large slam echoed through out the empty room, instantly startling the group of recruited fighters.

A deepened robotic roar blasted through their ears, proving that the monster they are right now facing against is Galleon, sentient of the Subspace Army. The monstrous cyborg gazed down upon the fighters, completely obeying the orders of Galeem. Slamming down with both of his fists, Galleon attempted on crushing the warriors, but they all quickly jumped out of the way. Marth and Lucas backed away with Faker, completely aware of what would happen next but knew that Galleon's defeat is necessary for the plan to work… if the rest of their friends have survived.

"Why are Marth and Lucas backing away?!" Mario asked, reflecting the explosive rockets with his cape. "Do they know something we don't?!"

"Probably," Snake answered, using his RPG to fire his own rockets at Galleon's metallic body. Joker began climbing onto Galleon's body, slashing rapidly with his dagger. The purple giant then grabbed ahold of the Phantom Thief, pummeling by clenching his fists. Lucas saw the other fighters trying to free Joker from Galleon's grasp and ran towards his friends. Marth knew what was going on too and left Faker behind for her to throw rocks and fireballs from a safe distance. While the fiery blasts and crumbling stones scratched Galleon, the purple cyborg felt his hand cut from Joker's knife. The Phantom Thief quickly pulled out his pistol and began firing shots. Donkey Kong and Olimar quickly jumped onto Galleon's body as the cyborg shifted into a tank and started shooting missiles. PAC-MAN, Marth, Mario, Lucas, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Pichu, Mega Man, and Joker jumped behind Galleon and began attacking from behind, unaware that he was releasing steam from the holes in his mask and pulsing red.

Galleon began stepping rapidly, slamming his feet into the ground and attempting to bury the fighters, unaware of Faker still attacking him from a distance. Marth and Lucas both started using their special abilities, with the Hero-King dancing with his blade and Lucas spamming PK Fire. Galleon then began spinning in place, powered by the rockets on his feet. It created a tornado-esque vortex around himself and began drawing in the fighters. Joker then began taking off his mask, coated in blue flames once again and summoning his main Persona: Arsene. Both the Phantom Thief and his Persona began spinning around Galleon, digging deep into his metallic skin faster than the Subspace Cyborg could react. Eventually, Joker with his mask intact on his face and Arsene gone swiped harshly with his knife as soon as the tornado vortex was gone. Joker then landed in a perfect pose as soon as bits and pieces began falling around the fighters, glad that their little mission was over.

"We did it!" Mega Man cheered, hugging Joker's legs.

"Thank god that's over," Snake sighed, rubbing Isabelle's head. The team was just calming down before they began hearing a familiar beeping noise. Lucas began panicking and grabbed Marth's hand, quickly running away.

"What's wrong with that kid?" Joker added.

"I think it's something familiar that we REALLY wanted to forget…" Mario frightfully answered. Hidden in Galleon's head, there was an activated Subspace Bomb, counting down through 10 seconds. Joker, Mega Man, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, and PAC-MAN had no idea what a Subspace Bomb really was, so there was no time for them to react as Donkey Kong, Snake, Olimar, and Mario quickly grabbed ahold of them and started running with Faker. As soon as the countdown finished, a violet explosion of Subspace occurred.

The fighters and Faker were running away from the fast-expanding explosion, clearly not having enough time to attack the incoming enemy. Subspace Army troops, Mii Fighters, and Supporters were trying to keep Mario and his team from escaping the secret base, even if it meant their deaths themselves. Neither side had time as they started pushing against each other for survival. The Subspace explosion was closing in fast, and it seemed like just the end for both sides. Faker, being the slowest of them all so far, was starting to lose her friends as the explosion was taking up everything and she was starting to be sucked in.

Luckily, the brown-skinned warrior began sparking up little charges of electricity through her fingertips, which grew in size the faster she ran. Lightning bolts sparked up in her eyes, and she ran faster until the bolts grew to an enormous size and caused her to zip faster than the speed of light. An electrical current passed through Mario, Marth, Joker, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, Mega Man, and Snake, instantly picking them up and carrying them out of the base.

Faker appeared in front of the base from a safe distance, carrying all of her friends on her back with as much strength as she could muster. After she dropped them onto the ground, the team ran behind a large rock and took cover as the explosion from the Subspace Bomb covered the entire secret base. The group looked north to see the glowing-blue UV sphere barrier covering the Galeem Void being stripped away from the Subspace explosion's powerful vortex. Hexagon-shaped pieces began flying from the forcefield, changing its color to a bright yellow and causing it to blink slightly. It seemed like the pieces wouldn't stop flying into the violet colors until the Subspace explosion waned as fast as it emerged. Once the spherical blast closed in on itself, there was nothing but a barren area where the secret base once stood, completely void of grass and other vegetation.

Mario was the first to walk out, not even able to question how Faker managed to rescue everyone on their team so far. Joker, Mega Man, Isabelle, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, and Pichu then walked out behind the red plumber, surprised by what they had just witnessed.

"Now you know what-a Subspace is?" Mario asked. Joker nodded, realizing this was the very first Subspace explosion he and some of his friends had just witnessed. Once Faker, Donkey Kong, Olimar, Marth, Snake, and Lucas knew it was safe for them to come out, they walked onto the desolate region.

"Acted a little differently than when we first came across the Subspace Army," Marth remarked. "When they occurred, they would take pieces of this world for its former leader. Now it seems like it's weakening Galeem's barrier…"

"We better get a move-on, then," Joker explained. "Our next step is to travel around the world and stabilize Galeem's ever-spreading army of these… Light Puppets. We probably don't know who these new enemies are, so I guess we'll call them Light Puppets…"


Deep in the Galeem Void, the Seraph of Order sat on his crystal throne, peering into the magical mirror that showed what Mario and his team accomplished. Floating from his resting place, Galeem began to fear that his captured slaves were beginning to revolt thanks to the six survivors of his attack and Kirby, the one who started it all. Just then, King Bulbin rode in on Lord Bullbo, dragging the Werewolf on a muzzle, the lycanthrope's hands bound in front of his chest with thick cuffs of rope.

"Lord Galeem," King Bulbin explained. "We've found the traitor." King Bulbin then tossed the Werewolf in front of Galeem. You probably could not tell because of the bright light illuminating his humanoid form, but the Seraph of Order had enragement written on his face.

"…You know what you did," Galeem calmly said, with a little bit of a dragon growl in his voice. The seraphic being levitated down to the Werewolf's eye level, causing the lycanthrope to shield his eyes as best as he could due to Galeem being half as bright as the sun itself.

"Because of your sympathetic feelings towards the Smashers, you know the consequences," Galeem continued. The Seraph of Order then pulled out his humanoid hand, slapping so hard he left a glowing-white scar on the Werewolf's face, closely resembling dragon claw marks. The lycanthrope then snarled underneath his muzzle, threatening to attack and maul Galeem on the spot if it wasn't for two Bokoblin that quickly grabbed his leash.

"Unlike your monstrous friends over here, I am growing sentiment," the Werewolf answered. "They may not have it now, but King Bulbin, Balder, everyone that is forced to serve you just to have their bodies back, will start to have the urge to rebel and turn against you. Both the Mii Fighters and the Subspace Army will turn against you for they know what is right… The Super smash Brothers WILL end all this, and you will come crawling back to the Light Dimension from where you escaped." Galeem, knowing he is not afraid of anything, floated back to his crystal throne. The seraphic being then pulled on the Chains of Light, only this time they were not imprisoning Tabuu. From the shadows of the Galeem Void emerged Arcadia's Master Core, with golden threads woven into his silky Hand shell to identify him from all of the other Master Hands.

The black Swarms mixed with yellowish specks surrounded Galeem, with the seraph's wings outstretched. Gleaming blue, the Swarms then were absorbed into Galeem's body, generating another black hole. With one blast, the Seraph of Order used his beam attack to instantly reduce the Werewolf to a Spirit form. As soon as the beam curved back towards Galeem and instantly formed Arcadia's Master Hand again, the Werewolf appeared in the form of a glowing-green Spirit, free from his bondages. Galeem returned to his current form afterwards.

The Master Hand then used Galeem's light to summon the Crazy Hand from his shadow, and the two went behind the Werewolf Spirit. With Bulbin and his troops stepping back, the two Hands ripped open a hole in midair, instantly sucking in the lycanthrope. The Werewolf had been forever banished to the Dark Dimension.

Once the Crazy Hand instantly vanished, the Master Hand of Arcadia floated back to Galeem's side. As soon as the black hole vanished, King Bulbin and his Bokoblin soldiers walked up to the Seraph of Order, a little terrified.

"Get out of my sight," Galeem commanded. "And don't come back until you've finished every single one of those awakened fighters." King Bulbin then kicked the side of his steed Lord Bullbo, and the wild boar galloped off with the Bokoblin. Tabuu, who was watching this whole time, appeared on Galeem's right side.

"You sent the Werewolf to the Dark Dimension?" Tabuu asked, rubbing his aching wrists bound by the Chains of Light.

"It had to be done," Galeem answered, placing one of his wings on the Construct God's shoulder. "You know what punishment I bring to those who disobey, and I only need the help of Arcadia's Master Hand and his brother."

"But you know what happens once you do so," Tabuu objected. "HE might notice your intentions of multiversal domination and plans to put an end to your domain…" Galeem then grabbed Tabuu's Chains of Light, pulling the Construct God close to himself.

"At least you dare did not speak his name," Galeem sighed with relief. "I will make sure none of the Super Smash Brothers defeat me and the curse upon the Dark Dimension isn't broken." Once the Seraph of Order adjusted his posture to be more comfortable on his crystal throne, he continued watching Faker with Mario, Marth, Olimar, Donkey Kong, Lucas, PAC-MAN, Joker, Duck Hunt, Mega Man, Isabelle, Snake, and Pichu travel from where the secret base once was to east, heading to who-knows-where.


Deep in the Dark Dimension, the Werewolf began looking around, seeing nothing but pitch-black all around him. Terrified, the lycanthrope tried to accept the fact that this is his prison from now on. Just as soon as the Werewolf turned around, a booming sound occurred right in front of him. The anthro-wolf then saw a gleaming, pale-green eye with a black, vertical slit pupil right in front of him, the exact same size as Galeem's orb-like body; it was also providing the only light in this empty void.

"A new guest in my humble home," the eye spoke in a slightly deepened, calm voice.

"I didn't come here intentionally," the Werewolf stuttered. "Galeem banished me here."

"…Did you say Galeem?" the eye asked. A slight chuckle came from the stranger, confusing the Werewolf quite a bit.

"Wait until the Seraph of Order is overthrown," the eye continued. "I have been watching time itself through here and have been waiting for this moment…"

Chapter 46: Tensions Rise

Summary:

Kirby slowly starts to gain knowledge behind Galeem and his siblings, unaware that Galeem has gotten stronger by the minute.

Chapter Text

After exiting the futuristic city of Electronica, Kirby and his team appeared back at the three-way ruins, where both the pink puffball and the Piranha Plant split up from Mario to rescue Sheik and Villager. The Mii Swordfighter army marched out from the city behind the Middle Fab Fairy Spirit, some wounded and even dead after the previously-mentioned Shackrab attack.

"You okay out there?" Barbara the Bat spoke from the Piranha Plant's watch-like device. The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn, Captain Falcon, Link, Fox, Sheik, Villager, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Inkling, and all the Mii Fighter troops they had gathered so far crowded around to listen over the Piranha Plant's communicator… everyone except for Kirby, who ran off not too far from his team after being distracted by a tiny butterfly.

"First, you continue down north back to the Cinnamon Hills, heading east until you come across a waterfall. Then…" Barbara continued over the communicator, with the rather-large group not even noticing two strands of white mist floating over them,. They were fragments of the Galeem Lock that held Mega Man and Snake in captivity under possession of their selected Spirits, and they appeared right in front of Kirby, scaring away the butterfly he was chasing.

"…Poyo?" Kirby asked. While none of the fighters were looking as they paid attention to the plan, the two mists and the Spirits quickly entered Kirby's body, stiffening the pink demon. Kirby silently panicked as usual while his eyes flashed the symbol of the Smash Ball in a glowing white. He blacked out again, ready for another vision.


Kirby rubbed his cuddly face again, back at the Midair Stadium, or in the vision's case the Sky Temple Training Arena. The pink puffball started hearing noises from the training room on his right, with Sozo yelling commands.

"Slam with your front paws!" Sozo yelled from behind the door. The result from the supposed-Dragosmo students was a shockwave powerful enough to knock Kirby onto his feet if he had a solid body.

"Kick with your back legs and swing you tail!" Sozo continued as Kirby walked through the shut door. The pink puffball saw the golden-eyed general training few of the Dragosmo students, including Ultima, Galeem, and his getting-there sweetheart Medley with her sister Katzen. Together, each one of those dragons was learning about the traditional skills of the current Rainbolements of Fire and Earth.

"And… that's enough," Sozo finished. "Take a fifteen-minute break, but remember that few of you have a lesson with Hakai afterwards as soon as he finishes up his private teachings." Ultima helped open the door for Medley and Katzen while Galeem simply stayed behind.

"You're not coming?" Ultima asked.

"I'd prefer improving the lessons I have learned with General Sozo," Galeem answered. "Practice makes perfect, as one says."

"We're heading off now, okay?" Medley giggled, running up to Galeem and rubbing her nuzzle against his face lovingly. Ultima laughed as the golden-snowflake dragon ran off and left her white-armored brother red-faced. Nonetheless, she and Katzen followed Medley to the next training room.

General Hakai was at another training room, hundreds of feet apart from the previous location. The only Dragosmo he seemed to be teaching was Phoenix, and even then it was simply criticizing on how the young student's move could improve better. The lessons Hakai covered were not so much as actually paying attention to given commands, but moreover getting creative with an individual's own attacks. The purple-eyed general claimed that any enemy has a special technique waiting to appear, so each Dragosmo must come up with their own solution to survive if the traditional option is not given.

As Ultima, Medley, and Katzen went in to visit their brother Phoenix, the three girls were amazed by the skills the black-armored dragon with magenta flaming wings could pull off. He was doing tricks that were his own, like creating erupting pillars out of the ground with his own will from a simple breath.

"I suppose you're here for lessons as well?" Hakai asked once Phoenix was finished with his creative display.

"Of course," Ultima answered. She and her two dragon friends got into their position, with Katzen walking toward Phoenix's side.

"It sure feels empty in here," Ultima continued. "Shouldn't there be other students?"

"It is just me and General Hakai," Phoenix answered. "Even though the dragon you have introduced me to arrives and spends most of her time with Hakai's lessons, there is no one else to appear for lessons… or even befriend me…"

"But one friend is more than enough," Katzen answered, placing her front paw on Phoenix's shoulder. "And I'm glad I have you."

"We can all explain why we're miserable later on," Medley interrupted, already flapping her wings and getting herself off the ground. However, before they were about to begin, the elderly head dragon mistress at the stadium's entrance spoke over the speaker.

"Attention," the elderly dragon spoke over the speakers. "We have arrived at the mystical planet of… Raifujin. Please wait at the main door in an organized formation and wait for instructions from your teachers."

"That's our cue," Hakai noted, heading out if the training room.

"But… what about our lesson?" Katzen asked.

"Time will tell," Hakai answered. "We'll have plenty of time for training once we get that new Rainbolement."

K irby, still in his Smash Ball State, watched as the Dragosmos lined up at the door, ready to set foot onto the next planet they are currently visiting. Sozo and Hakai pushed open the doors, revealing the world of Raifujin to the students. There was lightning flashing through the stormy skies, and there was not a single sign of vegetation anywhere, even though the air was fresh and pure. Flying transportation pods zipped over the city skylines, leaving trails of light behind them.

"Follow me," Sozo noted, taking off into the sky with his brother Hakai. The Dragosmo students flew off into the air and began following their teachers, with Ultima and her brothers in front of them. As they soared above the skies, Ultima was the only one to notice that the light-speed transporter vehicles had no windows, probably being advanced enough to get a good view from the inside. Regardless, Ultima flew as fast as she could to ask Sozo and Hakai just to satisfy her curiosity.

"Where are all the civilians?" Ultima asked.

"You'll see," Sozo answered. The flight was over a few minutes, and all of those dragons landed in front of a large building gleaming a bright yellow in the windowsills. Once the group walked inside, they saw a landscape that looked like it came out of a utopian sci-fi movie.

"Wow," Galeem said. "Where are we?"

"We are in the Thunder Heliodor Tower," Sozo explained. "You see, thousands of years ago, there was an intelligent and powerful Class 5 civilization long-lost in history, and few to this day remember the terrible tales of their order and harsh government. Creatures of passable intelligence still do not know who they were or what they looked like, but many have imagined them to be beings made out of pure focused energy, explaining why they had drastically vanished without a trace when their main source power, the Thunder Heliodor, became too powerful to control.

"When the Thunder Heliodor unleashed its true potential, the Raifujin Empire had drastically decreased, retreating all the way back to it's origin planet. Both the stone and the civilization's technology had quickly recovered on it's own, but their creators were nowhere to be seen, so they act peaceful to anyone who visits this planet made out of only one city. They also have completely forgotten their terrible usage of their warfare being controlled over for domination and now only use it for otherworldly threats. This comes to show you that an alien planet's technology is still beneficial, even if its most intelligent species has long been extinct."

"That's deep," one Dragosmo answered.

"At least be glad you're lucky," Hakai remarked. "If they were alive right now, they would've killed us the second we set foot on Raifujin. You all wait right here while we manage to get the stone that'll inherit you your powers." The two generals then jumped up and flew off while the Dragosmos took a look around the tower.

While Ultima was admiring the ancient technology to see how this long-lost civilization thrived before that accident, she noticed her brother Phoenix trying to befriend the other dragons, even pleading to be noticed, but every dragon that came to contact with him simply ran away to meet up with Galeem, since they had believed that he was more friendly and reliable to be an actual friend to them. A small cloud of sooty smoke puffed out of Phoenix's nostrils, jealous as he watched his brother was getting all the attention and popularity simply by good looks, even admitting he had found Medley as his sweetheart.

"Calm down, Phoenix," Katzen said, sitting on her hind legs and cupping Phoenix's face lovingly.

"Not now, Phoenix," Katzen explained. "Try to let your anger go…" Ultima ran to Phoenix's side, noticing how more painful life was getting for her black-armored brother and how rewarding it was for Galeem.

"It is not worth it," Phoenix sighed. "It is just not worth it."

"You might want to let this go," Ultima resorted, trying to help calm her brother down. "Besides, you have Katzen."

"No matter how much time passes, I will never let go of this feeling and rejection," Phoenix answered, pushing Katzen's front paws away.

"Time will go on," Ultima remarked. "Regardless of how painful it is, most people just let go of their emotions and accept reality for the better." As Phoenix was walking off, he glared toward his sister and sweetheart with a low growl.

"Not me," Phoenix answered calmly. Once the black-armored dragon with magenta wings walked away, Katzen placed her front paw on Ultima's shoulder.

"Maybe he's right," Katzen said. "Perhaps Galeem is getting too much attention around here…"

"I think so too," Ultima answered. "Maybe perhaps Galeem would share some of that popularity pie with Phoenix in time…" The black-coated dragon with rainbow-spectrum wings then looked back at the technology that she was admiring before. From Kirby's perspective, most of the weapons she looked at were very similar to the armor and weapons displayed on most members of the Subspace Army. The two weapons he found the most interesting were devices in similar situations and sizes to the Dark Cannons and Subspace Bombs, though they were completely lacking the feel and texture that would fit an army of darkness.

As time went on, Sozo and Hakai had returned to the Dragosmo group with the Thunder Heliodor dangling on a golden chain necklace from the golden-eyed general's mouth. All of the students, including Galeem and Phoenix, appeared in front of them, and Katzen was alerting Ultima by shaking her.

"Generals Sozo and Hakai are back," Katzen noted, shaking Ultima with her front paw. Knowing what was about to happen next, Ultima ran with Katzen to the two generals. Sozo then let go of the golden chain linked to the stone, letting it hover in midair for a while. The Thunder Heliodor then began spinning around, faster and faster, generating a mystical power that shot out like electricity. It zipped through each of the Dragosmo students one-by-one, generating new life within them.

Without warning, a green-coated dragon shot up into the air, coated with lightning. The other students quickly backed away, watching the dragon spasm it before landing on the ground without a scratch.

"Easy now, Tyker," Sozo alerted with a smile on his face. "Now everyone get in formation as we spend another few hours training with the abilities of the new-founded Thunder Rainbolement. The Thunder itself signifies speed, giving us the tools to escape from danger as quickly as possible. It also allows us to strike with lightning-fast attacks, making us an unpredictable force like the ancient civilization that had long ago existed on the planet of Raifujin. Now then… let us start off with a simple, yet basic breath to simply shoot bolts out of your mouth." Each one of the Dragosmo students tried harnessing their energy to use the Thunder, but ended up using the Fire Rainbolement instead or rarely the Earth. Eventually, few of the students managed to spew out a small but passable bolt, positive to try again. As what felt like minutes had passed, and the Dragosmo students were ready to learn another technique, the vision flashed white, reminding Kirby that it was done for right now.


"…and after you take the blue pipe back, simply head up north and meet with your friends back there to finish off the Seraph of Order," Barbara finished on Piranha Plant's communicator. When the pink puffball woke up from the vision, he noticed that his friends were already complete with learning about their plan. Fox McCloud walked up to Kirby and helped him up.

"What are you doing around here, sleeping on the mission?" Fox asked. "We've got an objective for now, and we're heading to the Magma Castle." The Star Fox leader picked up the pink puffball, carrying him on his head as Kirby's allied team headed up north to a forest next to the Cinnamon Hills.

"…This shouldn't be too hard to get through here now, considering that we've cleared the hills last time we came through here," Link noted before he instantly stopped, pulling out his Master Sword and Hylian Shield. He had just heard rustling coming from the forest's bushes, both the Mii Swordfighter army, the Middle Fab Fairy, and the Smashers got their guards up to see who it was. Dr. Mario slowly approached the bush, pushing away the leaves to uncover Flowey himself.

As the small, yellow-petal flower looked at the group with Dr. Mario backing away, Kirby, Villager, and Piranha Plant all hid in fear behind the Middle Fab Fairy.

"Relax, guys," Little Mac laughed. "It's just a harmless, little flow-" Before Little Mac could finish, Flowey exposed his demon face, biting into the small boxer's pointing arm. Little Mac quickly backed away in pain, clenching his arm to hide the teeth marks while wincing. After being threatened, the troops quickly raised their weapons and fists against the demonic monster flower.

"I went easy on you last time," Flowey spoke, his voice a lot raspier. "I only wanted to have a little game with you, but I'm gonna be serious right now!" Wrapping thorny vines in front of him, Flowey called forth the Jigglypuff Primary to keep the fighters busy while he himself attacked the Mii troops.

The Spirit in control of Jigglypuff's body was Prince Starfy of the Pufftop Kingdom, simply using the Star Spin attack he used when he was an Assist Trophy. The other fighters wanted to attack the Jigglypuff Primary, but Kirby decided to attack, convincing his friends in his own language to go after Flowey, who grew in size and was doing a heavy number on the Mii Swordfighters. A vortex swirled around the Jigglypuff Primary as Kirby grabbed ahold of the captured fighter, transporting away from Gallia for now.

Flowey grabbed a few of the Mii Swordfighters with his vines, tossing them left and right. His demonic laughter echoed through the woods as he enjoyed slaughtering all in his gaze. That was the type of monster he was. Just then, he felt the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn jumped onto his stem, hacking at it with his steel weapon.

"This… is what… you get… when you lay a hand… on my people… you bitch!" the Mii Swordfighter yelled. Flowey simply roared at that comment, struggling as Captain Falcon and Link started attacking at his petals. Soon, Fox, Sheik, Piranha Plant, Villager, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Inkling joined in and thrashed harshly at Flowey, all while trying to avoid his deadly seed-like bullets and thorny vines decorated with wilted rose buds.

The many thousands that had survived Flowey's ambush backed away with the Middle Fab Fairy, watching as the Smashers kept attacking the large, plant-like monster that was Flowey. Suddenly, a bright flash gleaned in front of Flowey's face, temporarily blinding him enough for the fighters to deal a devastating blow all at once. After Flowey shrunk back to his original size, he trembled at the fighters looking down upon him menacingly.

"Just wait until you least expect it," Flowey snarled, digging himself deeper into the ground. "You'll see!" After Flowey vanished below the grassy dirt, the fighters and the surviving Miis saw that the light that distracted Flowey was none other than Jigglypuff's unconscious body, which was saved by Kirby. The Pokémon drifted slowly downward, and Fox quickly grabbed the Jigglypuff before she touched the ground.

"…Jiggly?" the Pokémon asked as she was slowly waking up, awakened from the Galeem Lock. Once the group of warriors turned towards Kirby, they saw that the pink puffball had already absorbed the white mist that was the Lock, lying perfectly still with glowing-white eyes.


Kirby woke up back at the Sky Temple Training Arena, feeling as though a year and several months had passed before his eyes. According to the current vision's perspective, it did, as he had felt the stadium rumbling. Kirby quickly looked outside, seeing the landscape of Raifujin. The Dragosmo students, now much older, appearing almost as tall as the adult dragons, crowded near the window and said their goodbyes to what appeared to be their favorite "ancient civilization vacation" yet. The stadium itself was moving faster and faster away from the planet's surface until it appeared to be a simple star in the celestial sky.

As Kirby gazed into the wonders of the cosmos zipping right past the stadium as it traveled to it's next destination, he saw Ultima walking towards her brother Galeem. The pink puffball then remembered the reason why he was here and headed towards the feminine dragon, ready to see where this is going.

Galeem had just finished chatting with his sweetheart's friends, chuckling as they departed with smiles on their faces. Medley, who was next to Galeem at that time, noticed Ultima walking towards them and placed her front paw patrol on Galeem's chest. The white-collar dragon then saw his sister looking at him with golden eyes, knowing something is up.

"Galeem, can I talk to you for a minute… alone?" Ultima asked, answering with a voice barely similar to Faker's kind and motherly tone.

"Sure," Galeem answered, whisking Medley away from the conversation with his left wing and letting her meet up with a nearby group of female Dragosmos.

"What is it now, sis?" Galeem asked. Ultima sighed, knowing she'll regret her objection.

"It's about our brother Phoenix," Ultima replied. "Ever since we got here, Phoenix has always been the black sheep, feeling rejected by everyone. The only dragons that understand him better are General Hakai and the sister of the classmate you are dating."

"Well, too bad for him because of his looks simply scaring people and making him untrustworthy," Galeem answered, looking away.

"…What are you talking about?" Ultima asked, a little confused by the approach.

"General Sozo explained that my looks remind all of these dragons of the light," Galeem resounded. "He said that the light brings them hope and order, and they are willing to obey for what they think is right for them. Didn't Sozo tell you?"

"Of course he did," Ultima noted. "During my private lessons, Hakai had also told me how Phoenix is similar to the darkness, and there are sentiment creatures willing enough to harness the fear and chaos to their advantage. The only reason why they don't risk it is because of fear that their mood will drastically change. Besides, the only reason why I'm telling you before is at least… lend some of your friends to our brother…"

"It's his own fault his got into this mess anyway," Galeem said. "If he wants friends, he can look for them himself."

"If not for Phoenix, at least do it for yourself or even me, your own sister," Ultima objected. Galeem simply walked away, refusing to hear any more of this conversation.

"If you plan on talking to me on how much I'm an attention whore one more time, then we're through," Galeem growled. "Don't ever speak to me of my attitude again…" The white-collar dragon with blue-and-orange wings then departed, and none of the other Dragosmo classmates heard about the conversation between Ultima and her brother Galeem. Only Medley seemed to listen. She walked towards a saddened Ultima, knowing she had heard every word of the argument.

"I just don't understand him," Ultima sighed.

"You spent most of your training lessons with Sozo and Hakai to learn how to be the greatest," Medley noted. "That's a big jump for most of us, and the only students willing to train with Hakai alone are Phoenix and my sister Katzen. The rest of us only train with Sozo.

"...At least you don't have another sibling that cares about what you two think," Ultima sighed. "People have different dreams, and we'll have to accept reality for the better, but I don't know if the paths my brothers have picked were the right ones. They… could even be frightening me, like something cataclysmic might spark up between them, with not only me… but all of us in it. I've heard tales that a single Dragosmo can be so powerful he or she might be able to spark up a new universe."

"And what about if two Dragosmos get into a fight against one another?" Medley asked, stepping away from Ultima a bit. A long line of silence lingered between the two juvenile dragons, and the black-coated dragon with rainbow-spectrum wings had no answer. Just then, the Sky Temple Training Arena stopped it's traveling, and Sozo spoke over the speakers.

"Attention, Dragosmo students," Sozo noted. "We have arrived at Yangkatzu, home of the Life Rainbolement. Please line up at the main entrance and await instructions." Kirby watched as one half of the Dragosmo students lined up at the door, and the other was looking outside the windows to admire the new landscape. Ultima was one of the many dragons to look outside into the landscape, seeing thick, luscious treetops decorate the landscape. There were literally waterfalls flowing down colossal leaves, and dirt mounds were cluttered on the large branches to make way for smaller flowers. Fruits as large and heavy as the average human bloomed on the deciduous plants dominating the horizon, and there were what appeared to be wyverns, coated in vines and other forms and aspects of life, flying over and gathering the ripened produce for their bounties.

However, as Ultima gazed past the window, she looked back upon her brothers waiting at the door, noticeably a tad bit farther apart because of their slightly-growing resentment towards each other. As soon as Sozo and Hakai opened the door, the Dragosmo students, including Galeem and Phoenix, all flew out of the door.

"Be careful where you land," Hakai explained. "Yangkatzu is actually composed of a tiny piece of rock only a few miles across, and the plants setting root inside the planet have grown to such towering heights that they make it average-sized, so be expecting a lot of deep chasms. Our objective for now is visit the Minister of the Wyverns and obtain your powers from the Life Emerald. Now let's get going!" As soon as the students flew out, Galeem and Phoenix gave each other strong glares from across the room, and they took off one at a time with Galeem in front. Ultima looked into the sky-blue air, sighing in defeat as her brothers were growing resentful of each other.

"Ultima! Hurry up!" Sozo called out from the distance. With her head hung low, Ultima took to the skies and departed from the Sky Temple Training Arena. For now, one of the many visions was over for Kirby.


"Kirby?" Sheik's voice asked. "Are you okay?" Kirby slowly woke up, his body back to normal after the Smash Ball made him experience that origin story of who is currently considered the Smash Brother's greatest enemy yet. As Kirby hopped back on to his feet, Jigglypuff hugged the pink puffball, glad that she was rescued from the Galeem Lock.

"Thank God you're alright," Fox said. "You missed a manslaughter of Mii Swordfighters."

"Speaking of which… Kirby?" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn noted, pointing to the watch-like device on Kirby's stubby arm. The pink puffball slipped it off and gave it to the Mii Swordfighter. With a single press, the Mii contacted the Undying Light.

"Flynn here, the greatest pilot in all of Skylands and the most handsomest. How can I help ya?" Flynn asked over the communicator.

"We've had to put up with a massive attack involving the deaths of some of my people, " Mii Swordfighter answered. "We needed a slight alteration in plans and we need to bring the Mii Fighters to your ship…"

"You mean your band of the toughest warriors needs to be protected?" Flynn laughed over the device. "Give me a break!"

"I think that's enough for now," the Great Sage interrupted over the communicator.

"Hey, wait!" Flynn noted. "I wasn't finished yet-"

"Lend the Mii Swordfighters the device you have right now and we'll bring them back to the Undying Light," the Great Sage answered. "We'll make sure they take care while you continue your mission."

"Thank you," the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn sighed, tossing the communicator to one of the Mii troops.

"You can't ditch us like this!" one Mii Swordfighter objected. "You need our protection as much as we need yours!"

"I understand," the ex-Ultimate Reborn answered. "Just to clarify, the Ancients were wiped out because they were too dependent on their leader, and the Ancient Minister couldn't save them all other than himself. Sorry, but… we depend on your safety. You know how much you wanted me and the other two Ultimates to reflect your past leaders. Our parents. And they would've done the same thing…" The Mii Swordfighter then stood next to Kirby, Piranha Plant, Sheik, Villager, Captain Falcon, Link, Fox, Dr. Mario, Jigglypuff, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and Inkling, knowing they have got this.

"Good luck," another Mii noted. Just like that, the Mii troops walked off west, leaving their leader behind.

"I'll lead the way," the Middle Fab Fairy replied to the current team. "Thank you so much for rescuing me." Afterwards, the Middle Fab Fairy left the group, and the ongoing team headed up north, back to the Cinnamon Hills, and they were taking the path northeast to a large waterfall, which could be heard from a distance.


As Galeem began watching through the magical mirror that showed him the World of Light, he had noticed that the two teams had different goals, but the same plan: to weaken his forces and break their way through into the Galeem Void to finish him off. Balder arrived at the base of the seraph's crystal throne, warping in.

"Do I have to repeat myself when I said no entering the Galeem Void until you've defeated all the awakened fighters?" the Seraph of Order asked.

"Of course," Balder answered. "However, before you send me on my way, King Bulbin and his men had uncovered how to make Supporters out of Kirby without the need of his trophy form." Interested, Galeem levitated downward to Balder's eye level.

"…Tell me more," Galeem said.

"Using in what humans call 'DNA technology', we had managed to capture Kirby's full character through analyzing the very ground he steps on," Balder explained. "Everything Kirby breathes on, every skin cell he sheds, down the very flesh of his beating heart, we had captured something that is not Kirby but far more superior and obedient. Though the final result may not be a Primary, it would sure be the perfect cloning machine for an infinite number of Supporters since it alone cannot be defeated through sheer luck in a battle."

"Yes… very well," Galeem noted with a slight chuckle in his voice. "Bring in what you have salvaged immediately." With a flick of his wrists, Balder had simply summoned with his magical powers… a simple wad of clay, only at Kirby's size.

"What is this?" Galeem asked, a tad bit angry that it was not what he was expecting at all.

"This is the DNA we had gathered, all wrapped up in one tight package," Balder said. "All we need is the hands of Tabuu to shape it into the perfect cloning machine…"

"…I see… Well, Balder, thank you for your time." Galeem noted, tugging on Tabuu's Chains of Light. Once Balder walked out, the Construct God floated down to the wad of clay, his glowing-blue hands lifting it into the air. As soon as Tabuu had finished molding the clay into a trophy replica of Kirby standing immobilized, he wrapped it in the blue ropes that bound the petrified fighters. Afterwards, a glowing Buckot began spilling the melted Shadow Bugs over it, constantly cloning the still Supporters. Spirits that were closely related to a round shape flew in an began pulling the puppets' strings.

"Wish we had Kirby before," Galeem chuckled, pulling Tabuu to his side once more by the Chains of Light.

"Now then, my puppets, spread across the world and team up with the Light Puppets," Galeem ordered. "Make sure that the Super Smash Brother's do not stop me." As the darkness seeped into the Galeem Void, the footsteps of the brand-new Kirby Supporters could be heard in the distance, marching off into the world of Gallia.

Chapter 47: The World Tour

Summary:

In order to force Galeem's troops back to the island they're all trapped on, Mario and his team need to travel around the world and push against the puppets of light.

Chapter Text

"Over here!" Faker called out. "I see it!" The amnesiac warrior alerted Mario and the gang about the lake they were supposed to cross over, and the fighters all ran to that location. What they saw was a mesmerizing lake, crystal-clear as the water surface reflected the sunlight. There was no wind, so it was almost like looking at a mirror.

"…This where we going?" Joker asked, pointing to an airport located on an island in the middle of the lake. Mario nodded as an answer, heading to a wooden dock.

Once Faker, Joker, and Mario stood over the edge of the dock, Marth, Snake, Olimar, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Pichu, Donkey Kong, Duck Hunt, Lucas, and Isabelle crowded over to see the airport. They knew there was a bigger world to get across.

"Here we are," Mario sighed. "All we have to do is get across to the island."

"Yeah… about that…" Snake objected. As the mercenary had noticed, not a single one of the fighters could swim. Even if they did, the water was still freezing-cold, and they were sure to drown before they even got to the airport.

"Any bright ideas?" Marth asked his friends. Each of the fighters looked away from the Hero-King, not knowing what to do. That is, until Joker suddenly remembered something. There was an empty speedboat near the dock, but it seemed like none of them could drive it. The Phantom Thief noticed that back at the abandoned village was Kapp'n from Villager's and Isabelle's world, who was driving the bus.

"Why don't we take a seat in that speedboat?" Joker asked, pointing towards the water vehicle next to the dock. As soon as Joker said that, the Kapp'n Spirit appeared, starting up the speedboat's engine.

"What're y'all scallywags doin' here?" Kapp'n asked. "Hop on for a one-way ticket around the world!" The fighters began crowding onto the boat, and Faker was the last one to find a seat on the boat. The Spirit, seeing that no one was left behind, pulled away from the dock and sailed to the airport.


At first, everything seemed to be going smoothly. The misty freshwater splashed on the speedboat's sides, some of the drops landing into the boat. The fighters were partially wet with only their hairs a bit messed from the water, but Isabelle and Duck Hunt were drenched.

"…This is going to stench my uniform!" Isabelle pouted, wringing her skirt. Faker chuckled by that situation and warmed her hands with the Fire Rainbolement. The dragon-clothed warrior dried up the two dogs while also removing their smelly aromas. All of a sudden, when things seemed peaceful, and the group of Smashers were almost at the airport, Mario started remembering something. Joker noticed this drastic change in realization.

"What's the matter?" the Phantom Thief asked.

"Didn't the Werewolf warn us about something before he was supposedly captured?" Mario asked. "When we get to the airport, shouldn't we keep an eye out for-"

LOOK OUT!" Snake exclaimed, pointing to up front of the speedboat. The mercenary instantly saw a large geyser of bubbles erupting in front of the airport island, and everyone had noticed in time. A large, slithering body had quickly emerged from the geyser, causing a rather large wave to splash right in front of the speedboat. The Kapp'n Spirit managed to kill the engines in time, stopping as the large wave crashed upon the fighters. The Smashers saw they were soaking wet, and Isabelle seemed disappointed that this was the second time that happened to her.

"It's the Pokémon we have to worry about!" Marth yelled, pulling out his Falchion. "The legendary Rayquaza!" The lake-dwelling Pokémon unleashed a deafening roar. Grabbing the speedboat, Rayquaza flung all of the passengers onto the shore of the airport island. The fighters quickly jumped out and stood their ground, with the monstrous beast sent out by Galeem to attack them.

"Whatever guns or powers you have, fire at that thing!" Faker yelled, creating electricity through her fingertips. When Rayquaza slithered in front of them, it glared with red eyes before charging up an electrical ball. Mario, Donkey Kong, Lucas, and Snake ran to its tail and began attacking, knowing the tail is it's entire body. Not noticing the four Smashers were hitting it, Rayquaza unleashed it's fully-charged electrical ball at the rest of the gang. Faker zipped out in time before attacking with fireballs, Olimar, Mega Man, and Duck Hunt got hit, and Joker quickly grabbed Isabelle and Pichu in his arms before hopping out of the way. The Phantom Thief quickly let go of the two adorable fighters as soon as they got behind, and they began lashing out at the Pokémon's back.

Rayquaza apparently knew what was happening and quickly flew towards Duck Hunt, Mega Man, and Olimar, whipping out its tail to attack. The Hocotate captain threw his Pikmin, which stuck to the Pokémon's iron-tough skin, while Duck Hunt and Mega Man began spamming projectiles. With another deafening roar, the legendary Rayquaza sparked electricity throughout its body, killing off Olimar's Pikmin. As soon as the fighters saw the Pokémon taking off into the sky, coated in lighting bolts and the multicolored ghosts of Pikmin, they knew they had to get ready for what happened next.

Each of the Smashers began dodging the currents of air sparked with lightning, trying to avoid getting hit as the Pokémon began spinning circles around them. It seemed as though Rayquaza would not stop getting tired flying around, but the Smashers definitely were. Being one of the fighters that was exhausted, Joker quickly turned to Faker. The Phantom Thief quickly grabbed ahold of Pichu and gave it to the amnesiac dragon warrior.

"You two quickly jump onto that creature's back!" Joker exclaimed, keeping his head low from the Pokémon's attacks. "Drive that thing back into the lake!"

"Are you crazy!?" Faker asked, with Pichu cuddled in her arms. Joker placed a hand on Faker's shoulder, pulling off his mask. Blue flames burned on his face as a figure formed behind him again.

"Arsene! Now!" Joker yelled.

"With pleasure," Arsene answered calmly, grabbing Faker and Pichu in his wide, arm-like appendages. The main Persona of the Phantom Thief aimed and tossed the two beings onto Rayquaza's back. Trying to handle the pain that the Pokémon was creating, both Faker and Pichu latched onto its skin as the legendary creature dived down upon the crowded group of fighters on the ground.

Once Faker and Pichu used their thunder-related powers, Rayquaza's own powers started going out of control as the two fighters dragged it higher into the air. Trying to both scratch Faker and Pichu off with its small arms and long tail, Rayquaza was unsuccessful as it had lost momentum in its body. Once the electricity reached a breaking point, the Pokémon dived back into the lake, unaware of Faker and Pichu still holding on. As soon as Rayquaza's made contact with the water, the two fighters quickly jumped off, landing in front of their team members scorched in black. The group then saw the lake sparking with bolts of lightning. After the sudden burst of electricity distributed throughout the water, a few fish floated onto the water's surface, immobilized. Rayquaza's body also floated to the surface, its eyes open and its mouth agape, instantly confirming the Pokémon was presumed dead.

Exhausted from the intense fight, the team members walked towards the Ace-Spirit Kapp'n, who was next to the wreckage of the speedboat they travelled in.

"If yer askin' if yer sorry, then I forgive ye," Kapp'n answered. "I can always fix this precious treasure when we get back. Until then, howsabout I show ye the plane we be takin'?"

"Dude, you insane?" Joker asked. "We can't simply take planes unless we work here."

"Don't ye landlubbers worry," Kapp'n spoke in his stereotypical sailor accent. "This place has been abandoned for as long as anyone can remember. I can pilot ye all around the world in just a few days."

"…Okay?" Snake asked. The Smashers followed the Spirit into the airport, heading out onto the landing dock to look for the first plane they see. After finding an airplane, Faker created a stairway out of the concrete on the walkway, providing a way into the plane for the fighters. After everyone took their seats in first class, Kapp'n went up to the plane's cockpit, with Faker serving as captain.

"I… don't know how this works," Faker asked the Spirit, nervous as she slipped on her headset.

"We're all nervous the first time, maiden with a mermaid's beauty," Kapp'n noted, flicking some of the switches on. "All ye have to do is keep an eye on the sky and help navigate to our destination." A monochrome map appeared on a small screen on the control panel. However, it seemed like the plane had a mind of its own and instantly alerted an unchanged destination.

"Attention, Smashers," Faker spoke over the plane's speakers. "It looks like our next destination's at… Beijing, China. Please keep your seatbelts nice and tight, avoid smoking on board, and… is that it? I'm confused, regardless. Anyway, we'll be taking off, so until then I'm asking all of you to have a nice trip. And hopefully not die from Galeem's forces." Each of the fighters buckled their seatbelts, preparing for liftoff.

Through careful examination, Kapp'n and Faker made sure that all systems are go before taking off. Once the plane had achieved departing from the airport island, the plane's systems were somehow rigged so that only to where they were traveling was another destination, almost as if another pilot was at the cockpit. Either way, the flight seemed relaxing as the fighters were high in the sky, waiting to see the world of Gallia, which was somehow similar to the current planet we know today as Earth.


Hours had passed, and the sun was setting over the sky. Donkey Kong, Lucas, Olimar, PAC-MAN, and Duck Hunt fell fast asleep in their seats while Mario, Marth, Mega Man, and Joker were still up. The Phantom Thief peered close to the window, letting Pichu and Isabelle doze off in his arms. They had been like this for a while now, and the rest of the fighters that were about to fall asleep were suddenly alerted by Kapp'n and Faker. The Smashers slowly stirred up, ready to hear an announcement from the Spirit.

"Attention, folks," Faker spoke. "We're arriving at Beijing, China. Don't know why, but we're here anyway. Please stay seated until we land… or something like that…" The Smashers looked out of their windows, looking above the Great Wall of China. As though it still had a mind of its own, the plane dived down for landing inside this strange land, even though there was no road to park. Try as he may, Kapp'n could do nothing to stop the peculiar landing. It seemed as though the trees could not scrape the hull pf the plane as it simply touched the ground as though it was a smooth landing.

The fighters quickly got out of the plane, walking through the strange forest of Beijing, China. As they looked around, they saw mountainous landscapes in the distance, along with maidens clothed in traditional rain outfits to harvest the rice from the fields. The maidens were all blue-colored Spirits, earning them a spot in Novice class.

"Are… we supposed to be here?" Joker asked.

"If we need to at least draw Galeem's forces back into the origin spot in the World of Light, then probably yes," Mario answered. "Everyone stay with-a me and don't lose focus."

"What about Faker and that Kapp'n Spirit?" Snake asked.

"I think they preferred to stay behind while we go and do our job," Isabelle answered. "Now enough talking! Let's get going!" The cute dog walked off, ready to find these opponents that would possibly meet them here due to the change of events unnoticed by Galeem's all-seeing eyes. However, before the fighters took another step, a large stone about Kirby's size landed right in front of them. After they were shocked, the Stone quickly reformed, revealing it to be a blue-colored Kirby Supporter. Isabelle was also terrified by this drastic change in events and quickly turned around to see this puppet fighter in the center of the gang. A dark-blue dressed Zero Suit Samus Supporter hopped alongside the Kirby Supporter, and each of the Smashers suddenly heard rustling from the trees.

Hopping down from the branches were troops of Light Puppets: clones of the fighters that Galeem had captured, made out of purely-concentrated light to form servants that mimic each fighter. Each one of those puppets was light-blue with white auras and red eyes. Hopping in front of the Kirby Supporter was a Zero Suit Samus Supporter, dressed in a dark blue and waving her legs in front of her body.

"Hope this plan works, otherwise we've traveled here for nothing," Joker noted, firing away at his pistol. Each Light Puppet, when seeing that few of their kind were shot down, began charging at the group of fighters. Olimar, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, Snake, Mega Man, Marth, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, and Pichu began targeting the Light Puppets, while Mario and Joker went against the Supporters. With their special quirks, the Smashers hacked through each Light Puppet, each one noticing those clones were as weak as the Fighting Mii Team.

"…What's the plan again!? I've lost track due to all these fighters attacking!" Joker asked, grasping the Zero Suit Samus Supporter's legs and twisting them, making her cry in pain in a voice similar to the bounty Hunter.

"We have to defeat these puppets to draw them into the island we came from!" Mario answered, grabbing and throwing the blue Kirby Supporter. "After every location we appear in, we must defeat the main Supporters and chase the Light Puppets around the world until we get them back to the main area in Gallia."

"You really think so?" Joker questioned, kneeing the Zero Suit Samus Supporter in her crotch.

"Don't ask me what I think!" Mario resounded, setting his hands on fire and knocking out the Kirby Supporter. "The Werewolf didn't explain the plan very well so I just came up with my own conclusions!"

"Thanks a lot for not thinking thoroughly, asshole!" Joker growled, shooting the Zero Suit Samus Supporter in the head with his pistol. "We get to a strange location similar to Beijing, China, and only now you come up with this 'brilliant' plan!?"

"Mario! Joker!" Marth interrupted, running towards the two fighters. "Looks like Mr. Video Game himself might be right with his plan after all. See the outnumbered Light Puppets? They're fleeing…" The Hero King pointed towards the light clones, observing how they were starting to compress into nothing more than beams of light and leave the surrounding area. The Supporters that we're killed before turned into Shadow Bugs, with the Spirit inhabiting the Kirby one being a Novice Pianta from Delfino Island and the Zero Suit Samus one being an Ace Chun-Li. Both of the Spirits flew away from the location.

"Oh, of course," Joker sighed with a sarcastic tone. As soon as their fight was over, the airplane they were next to started flickering its headlights. Faker began waving her hand through the window, ready to take the plane off the ground. Once the Smashers got inside, Joker say next to Mario, taking the left window seat.

"…Mario?" Joker asked. "Sorry for calling you an asshole before. It's just we came here unprepared until now…"

"It's okay," Mario answered. "It's-a hard knowing what to do in a world that wants to kill you." Once the plane took off the forest ground, it began to fly to its next destination.

"Joker?" Mario continued with a question. "I'm worried about what might have happened to Kirby since that was a pure-bred Supporter we faced, Spirit and all. Do you think the Lord of Light may have captured the pink puffball?"

"Galeem hasn't caught me or the members of my little band of survivors yet," Joker responded. "It's hard to know since he is a master of tricks. He would do anything to keep his world perfect."

"Attention. This is Faker speaking," Faker spoke through the plane's speakers. "Our next stop's at… Rio de Jenario, Brazil… did I pronounce that right, Kapp'n? Anyway, that place is also where those Light Puppets fled to. We better be careful there since there could be more of Galeem's army troops gathered up at the same location…"


As the sun began to set, the plane flew over the famous Christ the Redeemer statue as the crew arrived at the capital of Brazil: Rio de Jenario. There was a landing pad at the local airport, but the plane itself seemed to have decided to park in the jungle next to the city to avoid being towed away for unlicensed parking. As the fighters looked into the distance, they each saw a fire in the middle of Rio de Jenario. Knowing this could only be the work of Galeem's army, the team had decided to investigate.

Once they had arrived into the heart of the city, the Smashers saw more of the Light Puppets, including those that they chased off before, accompanied by a black-colored Kirby Supporter and a green Donkey Kong, who was equipped with a Screw Attack. The troops were causing havoc and jamming up traffic, terrorizing the civilian Spirits that were simply minding their own business. The Smash Brothers approached their enemies, ready to attack.

While the fighters started attacking the rivals that clearly were weaker in quality than quantity, Joker helped Isabelle and Pichu back away the civilians. The Kirby Supporter swung his hammer around and the Donkey Kong Supporter jumped in the air and used the Screw Attack ability, but they were both overpowered by the small number of rescued fighters. The battle only took a few minutes, and there was nothing but the desolation of the street left behind by Galeem's troops. The Light Puppets retreated away from Brazil, and the Spirits of King Bob-omb and Blanka, who was from Ryu's and Ken's world, left the location.

"Okay, people," Joker warned. "There's nothing to see here. Head on home…" The fighters then went back to the airplane, flying to Moscow, Russia.


It was night when the Smashers arrived in that side of Europe, and there was a heavens snow shower to top the windy weather off too. This peaceful block of museums and theaters in the middle of winter, according to the current timeline, was being mutilated by more Light Puppets, some of them feeling more cowardly when the Smashers approached them. An Incineroar Supporter possessed by Zangief, who was coated white with tints of red, was leading the raid, ready to use his strong throws on the fighters ready to battle. The fight also didn't take long, since both the Zangief Spirit was freed from his Supporter prison and more Light Puppets had retreated from Moscow.


The Smashers' next location was at San Francisco, California. The morning sun rose over a shining river, gleaming on the Golden Gate Bridge. Just like before, there was a massacre on the bridge's road caused by a larger number of Light Puppets. They were all crowded at one location, and they were led by a Little Mac Supporter dressed in yellow. The Spirit possessing the puppet fighter was Balrog from Ryu's and Ken's world. Clogging the bridge with overturned cars with Novice-class Spirits of humans still trapped inside them, the army sent by Galeem was creating a mess of things… until the Smashers took matter into their own hands once more.


Another location in the world of Gallia was saved thanks to the fighters, and they proceeded to travel to Portugal, Spain. There was a seaside city made out of stone, and there were stores and flea markets sabotaged by a bigger army of Light Puppets, which was becoming more difficult to fight against as their numbers grew. Leading the attacks was a Meta Knight Supporter cloaked in black with a dark red cape, possessed by the Spirit of Vega. The Smashers arrived however and went through a longer battle than the previous ones, though they emerged victoriously once more.


Seoul, the capital of South Korea, was a sight to behold. There was buildings and skyscrapers decorated like a blanket of stars, shining as far as the eye can see. There was also a small number of flaming towers that disrupted the scenery, caused by a humongous number of Light Puppets. They were all led this time by Sagat, who was inside the body of a light blue-clothed Ryu Supporter. When the Smashers arrived to take care of this once more, the results were obvious to earn the rescued fighters a victory. The surviving Light Puppets fled, and the airplane the Smashers Brothers had traveled in promised them one more location before they would finally force all the Light Puppets in the world to retreat back to the island the fighters woke up in.


The sun was setting over Tokyo, Japan. Semi-futuristic vehicles and robots stopped dead in their tracks, and more Novice-class civilian Spirits fled by a marching army of Light Puppets, all gathered up in a massive number. This time, they were all led by a Primary, being none other than Ryu himself. Once the Smashers arrived to stop the army from spreading terror on these streets, the Ryu Primary, with hand signatures, commanded the Light Puppets to surround the fighters. The captured fighter then had the puppets lower their weapons as he already approached the Smashers.

"You will regret the day you came across M. Bison and his troops," M. Bison's voice spoke from Ryu's body. As a matter of fact, he was the Master Legendary Spirit possessing the white-clothed martial artist. The Ryu Primary then noticed Joker in the small group of fighters. The captured warrior approached the Phantom Thief and grabbed his face.

"You're not from around here, are you?" the Ryu Primary asked, watching Joker squirm in his clutch. "A peculiar specimen. Nothing more than a chickened-out kid…"

"I… am not a chickened-out kid!" Joker snapped, pulling out his dagger and slashing across the Ryu Primary's face. The captured fighter quickly clenched his face in pain while the Phantom Thief rubbed his own cheekbones from the aching feeling of his face grasped so tightly.

"You shouldn't have done that, Joker!" Marth explained. "According to some of our friends, M. Bison was one of the leaders of the Subspace Army, and he'll get really pissed if anyone thinks they can approach him…" The Ryu Primary rubbed the blood off his face, quickly grabbing ahold of Joker by the neck.

"Kill them all," the captured fighter snarled. The Light Puppets quickly raised their weapons and closed in on the other Smashers while both the Ryu Primary and Joker went through a vortex and traveled to a different location.


Joker started feeling the ground itself was almost wooden, with the sky glowing a hazy red. There was some sort of ancient castle dojo in the background. As the Phantom Thief was slowly getting up, he felt his face starting to be crushed by the barren foot from the Ryu Primary he was facing.

"So you're one of the few survivors of Galeem's blast," M. Bison's voice growled through Ryu's body. "You're a lucky kid. I couldn't even avoid that bitch of a seraph." The Ryu Primary then stepped off of Joker's face and took in the power of the Final Destination version of Suzaku Castle, spawning a red cape behind his back. Floating in midair, the transformed Ryu Primary looked down upon Joker with glowing-red eyes and flaming-black fists, diving down towards the Phantom Thief. The Primary unleashed a fiery Hadoken, which traveled along the ground. Joker quickly jumped off the ground and pulled off his mask, unleashing Arsene once more. The Phantom Thief quickly jumped onto the Ryu Primary's back, slashing his face with his dagger while avoiding getting clawed by the captured fighter's tough hands.


Back in the city of Tokyo, Mario and his crew began fighting the Light Puppets. Olimar, PAC-MAN, Marth, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, Donkey Kong, Mega Man, and Snake protected Mario while they threw out their special attacks and abilities. Though the Light Puppets themselves were easier to launch than the Mii Fighters or Supporters, they were stronger in strength since there were so many. The Light Puppets began surrounding the fighters, closing in slowly. Suddenly, when the Light Puppets least expected it, some of them were being snagged by vines protruding from the ground and being swung around. Giant flytraps started growing at the buds of the vines, engulfing and devouring the swarms of Galeem's minions. Faker jumped in front of her friends, with green lights flowing from her fingertips. It was pretty obvious she was the one controlling the plants.

"Faker?" Marth asked.

"Yeah, clearly I have plant powers too!" Faker noted. "Pretty cool, huh?" The amnesiac warrior began summoning more plants against the Light Puppets, knocking a good number of them out. The rest of the team joined by her side too, kicking butt again and reducing the drastic number of thousands of Light Puppets to only a few hundred.

When the remaining Light Puppets saw they did not have a match against the Smash Brothers, they all easily surrendered. Even though the Light Puppets themselves could not speak, the Smashers already knew their enemies had no choice but to retreat back to the mystical island they all came from, and where the rest of the Smashers' friends are supposedly trapped. Disintegrating into beams of light, the puppets took off into the sky and went back.

A vortex appeared behind the group of fighters, and Joker emerged with a knocked-out Ryu in his arms. The Master Legendary M. Bison Spirit that had possessed the martial artist before appeared behind the Phantom Thief, coated in the white-misty fragments of the Galeem Lock.

"I must say you bested me, kid," M. Bison's Spirit told Joker. "If I ever get my body back, it's going to be your head on my dining plate." Just like that, the Spirit departed in the same direction as the Light Puppets. Thus, the world was cleared from Galeem's spreading armies… or at least most of anyway. Now that the fighters were done traveling around the world of Gallia, it was time to head back to the main island that they all came from.


Night arrived on the main island, and the crew was sailing back on Kapp'n's boat to the other side of the lake. Once the Smashers got off, Ryu slowly started waking up on the dirt road underneath the moonlight.

"Where… where am I?" Ryu asked, sitting up.

"It's okay," Joker replied. "I rescued you, meaning you're safe. Basically, we had to travel the world in order to stop Galeem's armies from spreading and draw them all back here…" While the Phantom Thief was talking, Faker had just started setting up a tent made out of leaves big enough for the gang to sleep in. Once the fighters crawled in for a good night's rest, Mario felt rather curious about Joker's power.

"I've been meaning to ask you something, Joker," the red plumber said. "Lately, when you go off to rescue out friends, we never see the way you fight, outside of your knife, pistol, and Arsene Persona. Do you think you can show us sometime?"

"In time, buddy," Joker answered as he rubbed Mario's cap, crawling into the tent made out of leaves.

Chapter 48: Closer Understanding

Summary:

As Kirby and his team journey across the rampaging waterfall and rescue the Eldest Fab Fairy, the pink puffball discovers alongside Ultima that their world is far more complicated than they thought.

Chapter Text

Morning rose again, and the other side of the Cinnamon Hills were not as much different when Kirby's team visited it again, but each one of the Smashers knew they needed to stick to the plan that was set for them. Kirby, Piranha Plant, Villager, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Mii Swordfighter, Link, Dr. Mario, Fox, Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Jigglypuff headed east to where they can hear a nearby waterfall, and they did not have the need to travel with an army of Miis, for even though the numbers were increased drastically, they have a higher chance of becoming easier targets for Galeem.

"We're almost near the waterfall," Fox McCloud noted, patting the reflecting shine on the left side of his belt. "From point A to point B would be dangerous, so best be prepared."

"Obviously," Link replied. "Even though we're outnumbered and we had to get rid of the Mii Swordfighter army for a while, it was worth it. The ex-Ultimate Reborn we have so far was right. He's not going to risk everything for his species to be wiped out…"

"Look over here!" Little Mac exclaimed. Waving his boxing gloves, the tiny boxer signaled his friends to what he saw. On top of a sweet, sugary pastry hill connected through intersecting ribbon bridges, the green Yoshi most of the team had been friends with for ten years was sleeping, blocking the road. There was the white aura of the Galeem Lock emitted from the cuddly dinosaur, and the group knew Yoshi was still under Galeem's power.

As though he had sensed the group creeping towards him, the Yoshi Primary instantly woke up and stared at the Smashers with glowing-red irises. Standing upright, the captured fighter began drooling as the symbol of the Master Legendary Spirit flashed on Yoshi's belly – the Queen Metroid. More Shadow Bugs began appearing aside the Yoshi Primary's side, each one forming into Trowlons, Borborases, Spaaks, and Roaders.

"I've got the Yoshi Primary," Link told his friends. "You all attack the Subspace troops." The Champion of Hyrule dashed towards the drooling captured fighter, swinging the Master Sword once as soon as the Yoshi Primary head-butted as an attack and connected with the strong blade. Another vortex appeared between the two opponents, and they had both vanished.

The Subspace creatures started attacking, and each individual fighter used the best of their abilities to fight back: Kirby swinging his hammer and punching ferociously, Dr. Mario throwing his pills, Sheik disappearing and reappearing from clouds of dust as she ambushed her enemies, Fox shooting his blaster and zipping in streaks of blue, Jigglypuff rolling and laying the Rest move on the creatures, Captain Falcon setting his fists on fire and punching each Borboras and Roaders he saw, Villager hopping on each Trowlon and sending out Lloid Rockets to knock out the Spaaks, Wii Fit Trainer using her yoga poses to strike the Subspace creatures, Little Mac punching rapidly, Piranha Plant snapping and devouring with his teeth, Inkling tossing her bombs that exploded into orange color, and Mii Swordfighter unleashing slashing tornados.

One by one, each Roader, Borboras, Spaak, and Trowlon dropped dead like flies and disintegrated into Shadow Bugs. The creatures then retreated away from the Cinnamon Hills. Just at that time, Link reappeared with a rescued Yoshi fast-asleep in his arms. The Master Legendary Queen Metroid that had possessed the green dinosaur also appeared alongside them with the white mist of the broken Galeem Lock.

Each of the Smashers saw both the Spirit and the mist enter Kirby's body, triggering another vision again. As the pink puffball fell stiff as a board with glowing-white eyes, the Inkling managed to catch him in time. The orange squid girl cuddled the paralyzed alien in her arms, hoping Kirby was at least safe as they continued their mission.

"…What do we do now that Yoshi's out of the way?" Fox asked. Yoshi was starting to wake up inside Link's arms, and he quickly jumped off the Champion of Hyrule, knowing he was rescued by Galeem's slavery.

"Maybe travel on the wall's pathway east to the waterfall?" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn asked.

"Yep," Captain Falcon answered. The gang then started walking towards the castle, with Kirby seeing another memory from the past. As the pink puffball woke up, he found himself back on the planet of Yangkatzu, where the Dragosmos would get the abilities of the Life Rainbolement. Kirby, who had the rainbow aura, golden irises, and the Smash Ball that was attached to his head, saw Sozo and Hakai, not even looking a different age as when they had last left to travel the stars, were leading the now-older Dragosmos back to the Sky Temple Training Arena.


Now, each of the dragon students aged very fast, and they had certainly matured well, including Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix. There was also a small group of plant-coated wyverns, all led by their Minister, who had scales as soft as birch and the colors to match the bark too, and he had the Life Emerald hanging on his neck. Ultima, who stayed behind with the wyverns for a while, watched as her two brothers became more resentful over the months that seemed to pass.

"You worry about your brothers, do you not…?" the Minister of the Wyverns asked.

"I feel like they may be doing something wrong here," Ultima answered in a defeated sigh, with her voice now sounding exactly like Faker's. "One brother is drawing attention to himself because he looks like some 'prophet', the other is envious of the former's well-being…" The black-coated dragon with rainbow-spectrum wings looked down on the solid, tangled branches that served as ground on this planet, a small tear dripping from her eye. When the Minister noticed her feeling a little blue, Ultima quickly noticed and wiped away her eye.

"A bug flew into my face," Ultima fibbed with a false smile on her face. The Minister of the Wyverns slowly approached her and tried to comfort the conflicted dragon.

"You are a brave young lady, and your lies cannot hide the troubles your brothers are going through," the Minister advised. "Even though I cannot break up their internal struggles, I have heard of someone that might assist you. When you meet up with the Keeper of the Magic Rainbolement, she will tell you of where this conflict would lead between Galeem and Phoenix should it continue. Until then, I advise you to avoid making contact with your brothers. This is their battle and their battle alone, and I doubt they would let you get caught in the middle of it…" Ultima looked down and nodded slowly, walking back to the Sky Temple Training Arena. As soon as the stadium's engines started, Kirby quickly walked through the walls to get on before it took off into the skies.

"Where were you?" Medley asked Ultima at the entrance. The golden dragon was accompanied by her sister Katzen, and they had noticed Ultima was gone for a rather long while.

"It's… it's nothing…" Ultima answered, watching Yangkatzu getting smaller in the depths of space as the stadium traveled through hyper drive.

"…I'm going to my room," Ultima sighed. The Dragosmo walked to her room, hearing her two brothers chatting behind the room's door. She noticed, as she pressed her head to the door, that Galeem and Phoenix seemed calmer than before. Maybe it was the amount of time and over-practicing with their individual teachers alone that caused them to behave a little better, but it was unknown for sure.

"And then there was this other dragon that REALLY wanted to do it, and I was like, 'No way, missy! I've already got the love of my life, and her name is Medley, but I'd like to be just your friend if you like'," Galeem told his brother with a bit of laughter in his voice, which sounded barely similar to the Galeem Kirby and his friends were going to face.

"…Wow, Galeem," Phoenix renowned in a slightly deeper voice than before. "You sure do spend a lot of time with literally every Dragosmo in the arena. I apologize for being jealous of you… but I must ask: how do you make all these friends?" Ultima slowly nudged the door open with her head and quietly walked in, finally glad that her brothers were getting along.

"…Phoenix, it's not so much as of the looks, though that would explain why I was popular in the first place," Galeem explained, placing one of his front paws on Phoenix's shoulder. "All you have to do is tell wild stories to grasp the attention of any creature that believes in a free will… just stories about how your beliefs are good and tell them how they should live their lifestyle…"

"That would be… creating a cult, would it not?" Phoenix asked.

"Kinda," Galeem answered as he did a so-so gesture with his other front paw, "but it's basically the way of the light, and the way of the light is to restore perfection and drive away the darkness that plagues our souls… if you've got a bit of that light left within you…" Galeem then stopped talking to see Ultima standing near the door's frame. Phoenix noticed their sister was here as well.

"Uh, how much have you heard?" Galeem asked.

"…Plenty," Ultima said as she made a face-palm gesture. "I have to go." Ultima then walked away from the room, leaving Galeem and Phoenix alone. The spectrum-winged dragon glided towards the central stage of the Sky Temple Training Arena, sitting near the edge of the ledge. She looked up at the stars beyond the blue barrier that seemed to flash before the stadium itself, and she watched as each room had the lights dim and each Dragosmo fall asleep for the night. Ultima then looked down from the edge of the stage she was lying on, staring deep into the dark cavern. There was the unidentified matter below the stage, gathered at the bottom of the stadium.

At least everything turned out fine for now, Ultima thought as she looked up at the cosmos passing by. At the end, the spectrum-winged dragon, using only her front claw, created a little barrier around herself with the Earth Rainbolements in case she was to fall off while she was asleep. Ultima then made herself, with her soft breath, a comfortable bed of leaves with her newly-founded Life Rainbolements. Afterwards, she fell asleep. Kirby floated towards the sleeping dragon like a ghost, his rainbow-aura glow illuminating the stage by which only he can see it.

For whatever reason, Kirby felt his heart beating fast, and he saw the expression on the resting dragon change. The pink puffball seemed to almost pass out because the pain was so great, but it turned out he was getting sucked into Ultima's supposed nightmare.


What Kirby saw was an area of pitch-blackness, but the stars and planets remained in the sky. Ultima was standing on the surface of a rogue asteroid, which stretched only a few multiple times her wingspan on both sides. She behaved as though she was a spectator glued to the rough ground. There, she saw a being of radiant light, concealing its true form for the moment. In front of this strange being was a woman. A woman larger than two Earths stacked on top of each other, though she seemed to probably have gotten bigger.

This woman was the most beautiful ever, having the appearance of a human mother. She was covered in a garment of white, and her golden hair reflected the lights of the stars. However, it seemed as though her angelic face started crying some sort of lavender-colored mesh from her gleaming-blue eyes. She hung her head low in shame and betrayal, her arms folded across her chest.

"You still care for them, don't You?" the woman asked, the mesh dripping from the sides of her cheeks before they floated off.

"Eternia, please," the being bathed in radiant light spoke in a deep, elderly man's voice. "They love us with all their hearts, and we have to give them a chance."

"All these years, and You still think they are trustworthy…?" Eternia asked. "Ha! Those infuriating savages do not know the meaning of trust!"

"Enough, Eternia," the being objected. "I will save them from their sins. Do not let the insanity taketh over thou!"

"…You have no idea who You are talking to," Eternia growled, her hair turning a dim gray and her face now showing flashing-red eyes and dark circles, and more of the purple goo streamed from her face like tears.

"So be it," the unidentified being responded. As Ultima and Kirby watched, they noticed the streams of goo dripping from the insane goddess's face, her hoarse laughter shaking the roof of the stars. As though it had a will of its own, the lavender goo took shape and form in appearances of angels, and each of these strange beings were covered in several different eyes all over their slimy bodies. Even though the spectrum-winged dragoness and the pink puffball had no idea what was going on, they somehow felt like they were actually in the moment.

"Insanitons! Attack!" Eternia cried, sending her army of those goo minions against the radiant being with a single point. Without warning, a supernova-like explosion appeared where this strange being once appeared, seemingly coating the entire vastness of space. Just when the explosion reached the asteroid Ultima and Kirby were standing on, the black-coated dragoness with spectrum wings quickly woke up. Kirby found himself on top of one of the stage's three platforms, watching Ultima sit in place as she breathed hard and sweat dripped from her scaly body. Her heart was pounding ferociously in her chest, knowing this was one nightmare she would probably be traumatized for life.

And somehow… the nightmare was interesting.


Ultima restored the area she was sleeping in to its original state, noticing the sky itself was a baby-blue, mixed with swirls of clouds. She then felt that the stadium's rocket engines seemed to have stopped, and there were clamors of the other Dragosmos waiting to go outside. Ultima quickly rushed towards the entrance, waiting for Sozo and Hakai to open the doors.

"Our next stop… Kukikaze, home of the Air Topaz," Hakai alerted the students. After the two dragons pushed the doors open with their horns, the near-Dragosmos saw where they would be spending the next year and several months. The sky stretched out far and open, and there would be nothing but dense, compressed air if you decided to dive deeper into the clouds. The opaque vapors themselves were as solid as actual ground, and the winds that blew were fresh and pure. The Wind Amphitheres, similar to the Plant Wyverns, were based off their home Rainbolement, with many of these creatures having their textures designed by the different types of weather. There were sky islands serving as the only terrain for the gas planet, suspended in midair by the magic of the Air Topaz, which had tiny hurricanes on top and on bottom of the gemstone and was found on the largest sky island.

Once the Dragosmos carefully stepped onto the soft clouds, the amphitheres slithered to the dragons' eye levels since the winged serpents themselves were much larger.

"Shigi nu taz ne wiz quot pas (Welcome to our home)," the lead amphithere, sporting near-transparent feathers on her serpentine body and having fog as her wings.

"Tic sha fwu sor tu Princess Tornado (The students may address me as Princess Tornado)," the winged serpent continued.

"Thank you for accepting us into your hospitality," Sozo greeted, "and I suppose your species is still learning the common language."

"Of course we still are," Princess Tornado responded. "I see the Dragosmos have learned of the Life Rainbolement and we're taught the discipline of course, where they would stand brave amongst incoming danger."

"That's correct," Sozo continued. "Now we are here to accept your powers of the Air Topaz and be taught the moral of loyalty, where we stay faithful to our allegiance."

"Wis sods (Of course)," the amphithere answered. "Any welcome guest to Kukikaze can let the powers of the Air Rainbolement into their souls as long as they are trustworthy friends of our closest allies…" Kirby kept watching the Dragosmos head off to accept the powers of the Air Topaz, ready to learn more about Galeem's mysterious past.


While Kirby remained paralyzed, his friends managed to travel along the main stone wall's path all the way to the waterfall. As they looked straight east, they saw the light fissure glowing bright and hot.

"Aw man," the Mii Swordfighter sighed. "Really wish Mario and his team were here right now so we can cross over there…"

"And how are we gonna do that, ex-Ultimate?" Fox objected, lightly slapping the back of the Mii's head. "That gap is humongous for us to cross…" The Inkling, who was still carrying the paralyzed Kirby, suddenly noticed a blue crystal on a tiny chunk of rock in the middle of the large river connected to the waterfall. She began chirping in her own language, pointing with her empty hand and alerting her friends about the blue crystal.

"I think Clementine noticed something," Little Mac told the group. Why don't we head over to where she was pointing and find out?" Before any of the fighters took another step, a familiar friend under Galeem's control tried to stop them. It was in fact Lucario, one of the many Pokémon that traveled with the full gang on their journey.

"And just who do you think you are possessing our friend?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked. The Spirit behind Lucario's possession was Dialga, the Temporal Pokémon. The Lucario Primary began growling in a deep voice, attempting to choose one Smasher to draw into the realm of the Final Destination. The captured fighter eventually chose Piranha Plant and dragged the carnivorous flower to himself.

The Piranha Plant quickly stretched its stem and wrapped himself around the Lucario Primary, attempting to strangle the captured fighter to death before the both of them were sucked into a vortex. Once both warriors vanished, there was nothing but the rushing of the waterfalls.

"…So… there's no enemies to fight," Sheik noted. "What do we do now?"

"I suppose we wait until Piranha Plant managed to rescue Lucario," Link answered, taking his turn to hold a still-paralyzed Kirby. "Shouldn't take long… It's quite peaceful, actually…" For the next few minutes, the gang all sat down on the edge of the wall's path.


Meanwhile, the Piranha Plant had his leaves full on fighting the Lucario Primary at the Final Destination version of Spear Pillar, who used his aura abilities the more damage he received. The carnivorous flower began blowing spiky balls off the ledge, trying to gimp the captured fighter off-stage. However, the Lucario Primary kept using Extreme Speed and kept dodging the spike balls. Eventually, once the Piranha Plant saw the captured fighter ready to be knocked out, he began charging up his poisonous spit, avoiding a ledge attack from the Lucario Primary at the same time. The carnivorous flower managed to create a prison cloud that blinded the Lucario Primary's vision. Afterwards, Piranha Plant transformed into a black Piranha Plant with red spikes and swung once, instantly winning the battle.

Once the Shadow Bugs dissolved the background, Piranha Plant was left holding a Spirit Sniper at the Lucario Primary, who was protected by a barrier in the form of a roulette. With one careful shot, the carnivorous flower instantly transferred Lucario's Fighter Spirit back to his body and freed him from the Galeem Lock.


The same vortex appeared again at the wall's path, followed by a glowing-white light this time as before. The other Smashers, excluding Kirby, saw that Piranha Plant carefully held in his jaws a knocked-out Lucario. Captain Falcon rushed over to pick up the waking Pokémon.

"Uh… where am I?" Lucario asked, placing his palm on his forehead and jumping out of Captain Falcon's arms.

"You're in Gallia, the World of Light, where we're all trapped in," Fox answered. The Aura Pokémon noticed Kirby still in his vision state, simply sitting there with his adorable mouth closed and his big eyes still shining white.

"…Any idea what happened to him?" Lucario asked.

"It's only temporary," the Mii Swordfighter alerted Lucario. "Basically, Kirby has a vision that we can never find out every time we rescue a fighter from the Lock, and… this is the result…"


Inside Kirby's mind, the pink puffball was still on Kukikaze, though it looked like time had passed. Almost two years, to be precise. The ten years the young dragons would be training to be defenders of Arcus were almost up, and there were a few years left. Some of the dragons were starting to feel homesick after traveling to so many planets in Arcus' solar system.

The Sky Temple Training Arena was just ready to depart, and groups of amphitheres were cheering their goodbyes. Kirby noticed the stadium leaving and quickly walked through its walls. The pink puffball looked around, noticing that each Dragosmo was becoming more social as they had become fully-grown adults. Even when the ship traveled through warp speed to its next destination, the dragons were still chatting. Kirby even managed to hear two of all the dragons in the stadium talking about how awesome Galeem was.

"Did you see how well Galeem preformed?" one dragon asked his friend. "Turns out none of us could compete with his amazing skills!"

"Boy, am I glad to be his friend," the other dragon laughed.

"Me too!" the former dragon answered. Nonetheless, Kirby managed to travel across the arena to see what else he could find. The pink puffball saw Galeem himself resting in his and his siblings' room with Medley snuggled up close to him. The white-colored dragon outstretched his left wing to cover his golden-snowflake mate a bit.

"…Do you miss home?" Galeem quietly asked. "Arcus, Civiltatula: the City of Dragons, your parents, the usual stuff?"

"Yeah," Medley answered, her voice half-asleep. "I miss all my friends back home, but I'm at least glad I found you. You and the fact that you're popular around here… just the two of us, and none of our siblings to ruin the moment. It's not like we hate them, but it's good to have some space once in a while…"

"I think so too," Galeem whispered, pressing his face close to Medley's. Kirby, rather confused by this romance sparking up between the two dragons, decided to walk away from the room and discover what was going on in the central stage. Ultima was busy with her private lessons with Sozo and Hakai, soaring in the air and using a variety of attacks in her training.

Ultima started creating an electrical barrier around herself, which instantly split into an atom-like structure where she was the nucleus and the fragments were the electrons. However, she was vulnerable to Sozo's and Hakai's fiery breaths. Once Ultima stopped, she noticed her two teachers diving in towards her. She quickly stopped and began teleporting around in flames, using the Thunder Rainbolement to transport her from one location to another and become coated in explosive armor at the same time. Once Sozo and Hakai were stunned by the blasts, Ultima ambushed them by wrapping the two generals in vines and zipping towards them.

"Well done, Ultima," Sozo congratulated. "You have certainly improved on your aiming and accuracy, better than some of our top students even." Ultima, feeling a bit proud of her current goal, unwrapped Sozo and Hakai and released them both onto the stage.

"Thank you so much, generals," Ultima replied while bowing her head. "I really can't wait to train harder once we all are received the Water and Magic Rainbolements."

"You definitely will sometime," Hakai noted, "though our father Ceresor taught us that the Water is symbolic for forgiveness: that we should stop being resentful towards mistakes and keep our emotions in like the calming waves."

"There is also the Magic, which draws in the trust and alliance of your closest friends and companions to accomplish the impossible like the powers that flow within us," Sozo continued.

"I understand," Ultima said. "Thank you for your time." The black-coated, spectrum-winged dragon began to fly off before she heard Sozo say something else.

"By the way, we know about how your brothers behave towards one another," Sozo said. "We've helped them become calmer, so no need to worry. Now head to the front door while we alert the rest of the Dragosmos we have arrived at Mizuku, the home of the Ocean Mogogols and planet of the Water Sapphire." Ultima nodded and departed.

Time had passed, and each of the dragons lined up at the door. Hakai and Sozo walked to the door and used the Air Rainbolements to form transparent skins around themselves, which served as air preservers for the events yet to come.

"We highly recommend you all do the same," Sozo alerted the students, and each one used their powers to create their own air skins. The two generals then pressed their front paws to the stadium's doors, using their already-learned Rainbolement to create a bubble pocket outside. The doors opened, and each of the dragons flew out into this large planet ocean while their teachers kept the water out from flowing into the arena. Once each Dragosmos was out, Sozo and Hakai went outside the stadium and formed a large barrier around the arena from the preexisting bubble before meeting up with their students.

Outside the stadium was a huge world of blue, packed with both colossal and tiny sea creatures. Coral and algae reefs stretched out far and wide, and underwater volcanos spewed out warm temperatures to keep the sea life flourishing. There was a human-sized frog fully-dressed in swim clothing, catching fish in its net to dine on.

"Is that an Ocean Mogogol?" Ultima asked.

"Yes it is," Sozo answered, "and despite not speaking any language, they can understand each one correctly and are keepers of the Water Sapphire." The mogogol in the distance began swimming up to the planet's surface, which was a huge sheet of ice. The dragons swam up to the surface to see what was above the ocean's surface. Lo and behold, there was mountains and caves constructed out of ice, and there were huge cracks that had thawed so each creature could dive into and out from the water. Huts were formed out of snow, and the Ocean Mogogols live in them. Poking out of the largest hut was the Water Sapphire itself. As the dragons approached the village and train in the ways of the Water Rainbolement, Kirby felt the Smash Ball on his forehead flashing bright, and the vision's were over for now.


The pink puffball quickly jerked up, surrounded by his good friends. Kirby gave out a sigh of relief, finally giving him time to realize they were on a pathway near a power-hungry castle on top of a rapid waterfall.

"Finally," Link sighed. "You're awake. Now we can continue this journey safely…"

"If you haven't figured out by now, we're traveling down this exact waterfall to rescue the Eldest Fab Fairy, who is trapped in a blue crystal, and head towards this castle and rescue Bowser to weaken the Northern Barrier to the Galeem Void even more."

"And then we head back to the light fissure bridge and wait for the rest of our friends to open a pathway through," the Mii Swordfighter answered. Kirby, now knowing the current plan right now, nodded in agreement and continued traveling down the road with his friends. Along the way, Sheik was rather curious about the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn's name.

"So… Ultimate… do you think we should just keep calling you simply Mii Swordfighter or would you prefer a different name?" Sheik asked. "I mean, the Inkling we know is called Clementine. Surely you can think of a name to identify you easier from a group of other Mii Swordfighters?"

"Well, every Ultimate in our timeline has never been given a name so that enemies cannot track us down as easily," the Mii Swordfighter answered. "We believed that names might reveal us to the public and make us easier targets, so we conceal our names. Only those not born from an Ultimate's blood can technically sport a name."

"Do you have an ancestor's name, at least?" Sheik said. "One we can all agree to call you by?" The blond short-haired, blue-eyed Mii began thinking about a good name to be identified as, though that would mean breaking tradition.

"Well, the very first Mii Swordfighter went by the name of Gilbert, though he and his comrades agreed to hide their names from the public eye," the ex-Ultimate answered.

"Do you think we could call you Gilbert from now on?" Sheik told the Mii. "I think that name would be fitting for you…"

"Of course," the Mii Swordfighter, now known as Gilbert, responded in a happy expression. "Gilbert, it is. It's unique and really stands out on its own." Some of the fighters overheard the conversation and agreed to let the Mii Swordfighter keep his new name as they traveled near the top of the waterfall.

Chapter 49: Almost to the Main Goal

Summary:

Mario's team goes through an imitation of space, at least creating a path to the Galeem Void should it open.

Chapter Text

After a good night's rest, Faker managed to use her powers to lower the tent of leaves. The daylight shined on the faces of Joker, Marth, Mega Man, Mario, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, Olimar, Snake, Ryu, Lucas, Isabelle, Pichu, and Duck Hunt.

"Rise and shine," Faker whispered in Joker's ear. The Phantom Thief pushed her aside and rubbed his face. Mario and the gang also woke up to see they weren't attacked by the forces of light. They had also noticed that the Northern Barrier far up north was still pulling yellow as though it had not been touched yet.

"Weren't we flying around the world for a few days…?" Isabelle asked, tired.

"I just learned time flies when you're somewhere else around the world, meaning days are actually hours here," Faker answered. Each of the Smashers started getting up from the ground, knowing time speeds up outside of this exact island.

"Oh, I just remembered," Faker continued. "I found this pipe we were supposed to take…" The team then followed the amnesiac warrior to a large hill, back where the other group managed to rescue Link from the Galeem Lock. At the cliffside was the blue pipe accessed before.

"Guess we need to travel through and head to the mountains in the west on the other side," Marth noted, already climbing into the pipe. The Hero-King slipped through, and his friends jumped after him shortly later. The gang already appeared between the purple-fog smoke and then heart-shaped lake through the blue pipe.

"Looks like somebody already took care of something before we even figured out our plan," Snake said, noticing fragments of a shattered pink crystal in the middle of the heart-shaped lake. Joker then looked west to see the mountains they were supposed to travel through and instantly knew what they had to do right now.

"I'm betting right now we simply climb the mountains, travel through space to clear a path to the Galeem Void, and wait for our friends to help unlock the gate to the Sky Temple… is that correct?" Joker asked his friends.

"Precisely," Mario answered. "Now then…" The red plumber immediately took a path to the mountains, flicking his wrist and signaling his friends to come with him. The fighters started treading through a thin layer of snow the closer they got to the mountain range, and each one of them felt the temperature start to drop.

Minutes passed by, and it began snowing hard. A thin layer of white coated the heads of each Smasher, and Faker tried providing warmth by using the Fire Rainbolement to heat up all their clothes. Mega Man was starting to feel a bit stiffer due to the weather, and Isabelle and Pichu hopped into Joker's arms since they were so cold. As the heavy snow shower fell upon the mountains, Mario held out his hand to see a tiny clump of soft ice form in his palm.

"Not even the harshest of winters are as cold as Galeem's heart," Mario sighed, letting the snow melt in his hand. "I just don't understand. Why is it the light turns against us when we were THIS close to victory?"

"What do you mean?" Mega Man asked. "Isn't the light supposed to signal all the hopeful and good things in the world?"

"Obviously," Mario sighed. "But somehow this seraph that claims to be the Lord of Light has his own definition of evil. A lawful kind of evil. I mean… why even risk all this?"

"Risk what…?" Faker asked. The fighters stopped in the middle of the snow to hear what the team leader had to say.

"Risking the supposed deaths of hundreds of billions, changing the world both figuratively and literally… why?" Mario asked. "Galeem's choice to create the perfect world was plenty enough, and he doesn't care what happens to the landscape. Why does he now worry about his armies of Primaries dwindling? There's something more sinister at play, and we are all going in on it. Right?" The rest of his teammates nodded in agreement, knowing Galeem might have more tricks up his sleeve than they originally known.

"Thought so," Mario replied. The team continued with their mission of traveling through the mountains, with more minutes passing through. However, they suddenly came across icy paths that looked like they could not climb as much as slip and fall. Lucas began to run up the icy paths, but was unsuccessful as he simply slid down to the soft snow at the bottom.

"How are we gonna get over to the spaceship the Werewolf described?" Lucas asked. Each one of the fighters began thinking of ideas on how to get to the top. As Faker had tested, she could not melt the ice itself since it would simply refreeze again.

"I don't get it," Joker said. "Anything hot won't melt these icy paths. Almost as if they are controlled by some magic that is preventing us from traveling any further… I wonder which enemy it could be…" As soon as Joker finished, Mii Brawlers and Gunners under Galeem's possession ambushed the Smashers and had them surrounded. Walking out of the group of corrupted Mii Fighters was the Ice Climbers Primary.

"Didn't think we would bump into you people here," female voices spoke from the duo's bodies in unison. Aside from the other fighters getting triggered by the glowing-red eyes and the white aura of a Primary, Joker noticed those voices were somehow familiar. An image flashed between the two Ice Climbers, revealing a set of twins clothed in blue and sporting eyepatches: covering different eyes for each twin.

"Caroline and Justine?" Joker asked. The Phantom Thief's new friends were confused by what he meant by that. Because of that, he had to explain the two sisters to them.

"They served as prison wardens that helped fuse Personas together in the Metaverse in my world, back when they had served Igor… long before Igor was sealed away and replaced by Jaldabaoth, the Holy Grail," Joker told his companions in a brief sentence.

"Surprised you had managed to survive the onslaught upon our universe while you left us all to die," Caroline's side of the Master Legendary Spirit spoke from Popo's body.

"Now we are forced to serve Galeem as our Lord and Master for all eternity instead of Igor," Justine's side of the Spirit said from Nana's body.

"Ladies, please," Joker chuckled. "This is all just a big misunderstanding. I mean, you both know me. Can't we at least get along with one another? We know we don't want to see our friends suffer and you don't want to be forced into a vessel you're uncomfortable with- NOW!" Joker quickly dashed towards the Ice Climbers Primary, grabbing the 2-in-1 duo with both of his hands. As the captured fighters tried to whack the Phantom Thief with their mallets. A vortex instantly spawned between the three fighters, and both Joker and the Ice Climbers Primary were transported to another Final Destination-like area. Once the Primary and the Phantom Thief were gone, the corrupted Brawlers and Gunners started attacking the rest of the Smashers.

A flat stage carved from an iceberg appeared, and it really wasn't slippery despite being made out of ice. It was the Summit variation of the Final Destination, and Joker woke up to see possessed Nana and Popo wearing blue fancy hats and eyepatches like the Spirits that are possessing each individual one. The Ice Climbers Primary then began whacking icy projectiles with their mallets.

"I see they want to do this the hard way then," Joker said to himself. The Phantom Thief quickly placed his hand on his mask, his gray eyes flashing with the blue flames of Arsene as he used Rebel's Guard. Though the icy projectiles and the smash attacks from the Ice Climbers Primary did damage him, the damage was significantly reduced and granted him a second of super armor. Joker afterwards began firing with his gun, scratching the Eskimo-like fur coats with his bullets and causing the captured fighters to flinch.

The Ice Climbers Primaries then began holding hands and spinning around, attempting to hit Joker. The Phantom Thief quickly jumped up and used his Eiha spell, inflicting a damaging magic flame. Though it didn't deal much damage, it had lasting damage on the captured fighter duo. Joker then jumped again and grabbed Popo with his Grappling Hook, leaving Nana to panic in place. He tossed the lead off the stage, and while Nana was grabbing Popo, Joker pulled off his mask and released Arsene since his Rebellion Gauge was full.

Joker's gun was enhanced from Gun to Gun Special, firing three bullets at a time. The Phantom Thief was assisted by his main Persona, and the two attacked the Ice Climbers Primary. The captured fighters managed to spam their icy projectiles again, but Joker used Makarakarn to reflect them back. This did not stop the captured duo, however, as they rushed in with smash attacks. Luckily, Joker used Arsene to inflict the move Tetrakarn and knocked them off the stage.

"Eigaon!" Joker yelled, commanding his Persona to unleash a bigger, enhanced version of Eiha. Though Nana was hit by the move, Popo resisted and quickly grabbed Joker. Arsene was invincible and could not help the Phantom Thief in this situation. Joker was knocked off the stage, and the Ice Climbers Primaries were about to use their forward airs and end the Phantom Thief. However, Joker was not that easy to defeat. Arsene quickly grabbed the Phantom Thief and used Wings of Rebellion. The move itself was invincible despite lacking hitboxes and saved Joker from getting meteor-smashed. The Phantom Thief quickly jumped off the ledge, watching the captured fighters trying to recover. With one downward slash, Joker and Arsene instantly won the battle. All that was left to do was rescue the Ice Climbers themselves from the Galeem Lock and free both the fighter and the Master Legendary Spirit that had possessed said fighter.

As soon as Joker returned to the mountains with Ice Climbers snuggled in his arms, he saw that Mario and the gang also won against the Mii troops, and all that remained were footprints upon footprints in the thick snow.

"…Do I even need to ask?" Joker said. Some of the fighters laughed in response to that question shortly before seeing the Spirit and the white mist of the Galeem Lock floating off to the east. As soon as that fight was over, the icy paths thawed into stone stairs, and the Ice Climbers woke up.

"Popo! Popo!" Nana exclaimed. She was the first one to wake up, and she managed to hop out of Joker's arms with Popo in her clutches. The blue Eskimo slowly stirred back to conscious, seeing the face of his female, pink-coated teammate. The Ice Climbers hugged each other, knowing they were free from a terrible fate. The duo then saw the fighters they were allied with a the moment: Mario, Marth, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, Mega Man, Snake, Ryu, and Joker, all accompanied by Faker.

"Who's that guy?" Popo asked, pointing at Joker since the two had obviously never seen the Phantom Thief before.

"He's a friend," Marth answered, "and he's going to help us save the universe."

"Hey, can we go now?" Lucas asked. "I've got a feeling that Galeem's forces are going to be back any moment. After all, the Light Puppets were pretty angry after we had trapped them on this island…" The team then began walking up the stone stairs, ready to head to their next goal: a spaceship that had been described by the Werewolf.

Near the power-hungry castle, Kirby's team was looking down the waterfall, seeing if there was a way to control the currents to get to the blue crystal.

"Any bright ideas on how to get down there, Gilbert?" Fox asked the Mii Swordfighter.

"I suppose if we latch onto the rock in the middle of the river, we could find a way through safely… that is, if the waterfall doesn't kill us first…" Gilbert answered.

"…Agreed," Fox sighed, stepping onto the edge of the waterfall with the Mii Swordfighter. Kirby, Piranha Plant, Sheik, Villager, Captain Falcon, Link, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Inkling, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and Lucario were just about ready to jump in to and hope the current carries them to their objective destination.

Clementine was the only one who was rather afraid to go into the water. The other fighters noticed the Inkling could not jump in. Lucario, being the only one to use telekinesis outside of Mewtwo, sensed what was wrong with Clementine by placing his hand on her shoulder and reading her mind.

"She can't jump into the water because of a history with her species," Lucario explained to his friends. "According to Clementine, Inklings get killed in the water due to the fact that her home planet's oceans are filled with toxic chemicals as the result of nuclear wars 12,000 years ago that had pretty much wiped out the human race. The Inklings, sensing that the water was dangerous to live in, moved out of the oceans and evolved into land creatures and have been afraid of natural water sources ever since."

"I don't know," Link objected, placing his hand in the cold water. "It's clean and pure to swim in."

"Maybe for you, but her species is highly sensitive to dangerous substances," Lucario answered. Clementine swallowed a lump in her throat, knowing that she could melt in the water if she wasn't careful, and there were no checkpoints to respawn in. The Inkling quickly pushed aside her friends to test the water for herself, clearly not used to clean waters. She began chirping in her own squid language, looking into the rushing currents and ready to stick her hand in.

"Inkling saying if she dies, we stay away from her funeral," Lucario continued. Gulping, Clementine instantly shoved her hand into the water, her heart beating fast. Much to her expectations, the waterfall really was clean and pure as she didn't feel her hand dissolve. She took it out of the water, seeing droplets roll down her naked arm and still feeling fine. She turned around and laughed, letting her friends know it was safe for her to swim in.

"Alright," Gilbert told everyone. "Guess we can go now." Kirby jumped in first, letting the waterfall's currents carry him to the rock in the center of the river. He hopped onto the rock and waved towards his friends, unharmed.

"Guess it's safe," Captain Falcon said before jumping in after the pink puffball. One at a time, each fighter was carried through the streams and ending up at the rock, and the only ones at the top completely dry were the Mii Swordfighter and the Inkling.

"It's gonna be alright," the ex-Ultimate Reborn told Clementine as he slowly lowered her into the stream. "Just don't panic and let the waters carry you to your destination…" The Inkling started feeling herself tossed and turned in the streams, but she wasn't hit by a single rock. Afterwards, she safely climbed onto the rock with her friends, followed by the Mii Swordfighter. Each of the Smashers noticed there was a hop, skip, and jump over another stream connected to the waterfall, and there was the blue crystal at the end of it.

"Now all we have to do is jump across and we'll be fine," Link told his friends, ready to jump across.

"I think that can be arranged," a voice said from a distance.

"Who said that!?" Gilbert asked, unsheathing his sword and quickly looking around. A figure jumped out from the shadows, leaping from such a ridiculous location: the top of the waterfall. When the figure landed, the fighters instantly made it out to be Pikachu.

"Who has the right mind to cross Morgana, mascot of the Phantom Thieves!?" the same voice spoke from Pikachu's body. As you can tell, Morgana is the Spirit possessing Pikachu right now.

"Galeem's orders are MY orders!" the Pikachu Primary spoke out, electricity shooting out from his cheeks. "One of you come up and face me now!"

"Stand back, people," Lucario told the group. "I've got this." The two Pokémon rushed towards each other, ready to attack as soon as a vortex warped them away. As soon as Lucario went to fight off the Pikachu Primary, the other fighters decided to jump to the other side of the stream. All of them did it successfully, and all they have to do before breaking the blue crystal open is wait for one of their teammates again…

"Do you hear something…?" Fox asked. Since he was an anthropomorphic fox, he had enhanced senses apart from the other fighters and started hearing faint footsteps. The Star Fox mercenary then began jumping up to the path they were on before, only peaking out as though he was hiding from something this time. The other fighters noticed Fox looking at something and went up the hill to join him.

"You guys really need to see this," Fox whispered, pointing towards the castle. From the distance was King Bulbin riding on his steed Lord Bullbo. The gates were opening, and what appeared to be all of the Bukoblins that served Galeem were riding into the castle. Pulled by many of the war boars were wagons of what appeared to be supplies.

"What do you suppose they're dragging in?" Gilbert asked.

"Whatever it is, it's-a high chance of bad," Dr. Mario answered.

"We better be careful, then," Little Mac told his friends. While the other Smashers were watching, Kirby looked up into the sky and saw Ryu's Galeem Lock, which was in the form of a white mist, combine itself with that of the Ice Climbers. The pink puffball was easily distracted and ran down the hill to get a closer look of the small cloud of glowing-white mist. Once Kirby touched it with his stubby hand, another vision triggered inside him.

The pink demon rubbed his eyes, seeing the rainbow Aura and golden eyes caused by the Smash Ball on his forehead. As Kirby began looking around, he noticed the stadium had already left the planet of Mizuku, home of the Water Rainbolement. There was only a year and about four months remaining for the ten-year Dragosmos training, and each student trained to the best of their ability.

Kirby then saw Phoenix sitting next to Katzen, the both of them watching the stars flash by. The violet diamond-coated dragoness was given an adventure of awe and wonder, and she knew how big and vast the solar system really was. It was so mesmerizing it was almost amazing.

"Phoenix?" Katzen asked. "Do you often get lonely…?"

"How come?" Phoenix asked.

"For almost ten years, you have been jealous of your brother's attention from the other dragons, and you are often isolated and alone," Katzen explained. "Why aren't you consulting Galeem about this?"

"Katzen, we had been over this so many times," Phoenix sighed. "I had to calm down and control my emotions for the goodness and well-benefit of others, despite how hurting it may be."

"Well, you might have to speak up at some point if it isn't right for you to be rejected all the time, Phoenix," Katzen told her mate, nuzzling into his neck. "I hope it isn't anything bad…"

"I hope so too," Phoenix finished, "especially when I am with you." The two dragons then saw the stars had stopped moving in the sky, and the stadium's engines stopped.

"Attention, Dragosmos," General Sozo spoke over the arena's speakers. "This is our last stop: Majikku, home of the Magic Rainbolement. This is the last of all seven Rainbolements, so make it count. We have only several months before we head back to Arcus and preform in front of Civiltatula, the City of Dragons. Only those that have preformed the best will finally join Lord Ceresor's side as a true Dragosmos. We hope you will all be ready by then. Line up at the door and we will start training outside of the stadium."

"Let's go," Katzen told Phoenix, flying away from the stage. Phoenix followed after her as he took off too. All of the students lined up at the door one last time, waiting for orders to be given by the two generals. Ultima walked close to her brothers Galeem and Phoenix, confident in their current behavior towards one another. The generals lined up at the door, ready to show them Majikku, a world of wonder.

As soon as the doors opened, the dragons were greeted to something never seen before. The planet itself was coated in long nights, meaning that the plants that grew here started flashing with dancing colors. The plants were a special kind of bioluminescent, meaning it was a literal show they presented. There were fairies dancing throughout the night sky, and strange creatures that were either undiscovered in Arcus or thought to have been extinct swam through calm rivers that we're perfect in temperature. As the dragons continued through the strange forest, satyrs riding on the backs of centaurs passed around them, blowing trumpets carved from the scorpion-like stingers of manticores. They all traveled to what appeared to be a humongous tree, one that seemed to dominate the tallest trees in Yangkatzu.

The branches were decorated in unearthly glows, almost like the stars in the sky. Living in holes were mythical beings found in fairy tales. A white horse that seemed to have both a unicorn horn and humongous wings, and it's glittery mane flowed behind it as it went into the center of the tree.

"Welcome to Majikku," Sozo told the Dragosmo students. "In this world, all sorts of creatures work together to create their perfect world, and the winged unicorns stand as their leaders, though they are all led by a queen." The Dragosmos all took off to the center of the tree, where all of the magical creatures gathered to meet up with the winged unicorns. Each one of those mythical horses had different coats similar to regular horses, and they all bowed down to greet the current ruler of Majikku: the Queen of the Winged Unicorns. The citizens of the planet stepped aside to greet the dragons that had came to train here.

"Generals Sozo and Hakai," the Queen of the Winged Unicorns spoke telepathically, her horn glowing as she addressed. "I see you brought new students with you to this planet. Welcome, travelers."

"We ask of your permission to use the Magic Amethyst again, your Majesty," Sozo told the queen. "These brave souls are almost there to becoming full Dragosmos, and all we need is one more of these elemental powers."

"It would be our pleasure to share our abilities with the likes of you," the Queen of the Winged Unicorns telepathized. She walked towards her wooden throne and touched the top of it with her horn. The throne itself unfurled to reveal the Magic Amethyst. Violet beams began shooting out in all directions, and each one pierced each Dragosmos student.

"The Rainbolement of Magic now flows within you," the queen spoke telepathically. "Train well and these abilities will change in how you react in battle…" The Dragosmos bowed and left the giant tree, ready to train one last time outside of Arcus. Before Kirby could learn about the training, the Smash Ball glowed again, and he was back in Gallia.

"Kirby? Are you okay?" Gilbert asked, poking the pink demon's face. Kirby sat up and noticed he was still where he was last left: near the road to the castle. Pikachu, who was freed from Galeem's possession, hugged Kirby tightly.

"You didn't miss much, so don't worry," Fox told the pink alien. "All you know is that Lucario saved Pikachu."

"Look over there!" Wii Fit Trainer called out, pointing towards the blue crystal. All the fighters looked in her direction, and each one of them noticed the crystal shattering in so many pieces. Once the explosion settled, the fighters saw another Spirit of the Master Advanced class, sporting a deep purple rose in her violet hair and wearing a dress sewn out of dark indigo leaves. She was the Eldest Fab Fairy.

"Thanks a bunch!" the Eldest Fab Fairy spoke. "I was getting really cramped up in there!"

"You're welcome," Lucario answered. "We managed to rescue your middle sister, and we're taking a guess that the youngest of your bunch was saved as well…"

"Wonderful!" the Eldest Fab Fairy sighed with relief. "However, before I go off to reunite with my sisters, I was hoping if I can join your team for a while… at least until you all beat the boss inside that castle."

"We accept," Link said. "Let's get going then."

"We have to be careful," Dr. Mario told the group.

"We literally saw King Bulbin and his men go in there," Sheik filled in. The Sheikah then ran off to the gates as stealthy as possible before she was followed by her friends and their new Spirit companion, each one of them going through the open gates.

Chapter 50: Giga Bowser

Summary:

When Kirby and his team go up against the Bowser Primary, they suddenly learn the truth about the Piranha Plant's origin and Kirby's arrival five years after Galeem's conquest.

Chapter Text

Faker, Joker, Ice Climbers, Ryu, Snake, Mega Man, Pichu, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Lucas, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, Olimar, Marth, and Mario continued up the mountain after noticing the snowy storm was also gone. They suddenly looked to their right, seeing a vast solar system right next to them. The planets were rather small and connected by paths of light blocked by asteroids, but the background and landscape made it plausible for anyone to believe they have caught a glimpse of space.

"I see the path to the Galeem Void!" Faker told the group, noticing a line between the tiny planets that led all the way to the brightness of the Galeem Void, with the Northern Barrier glowing yellow and pulsing steadily.

"What's that over there?" Joker asked, noticing an abandoned ship near the edge of the landscape. As the fighters approached, they noticed it was the Great Fox, all ruined and turned into rubble.

"This baby shouldn't be too hard to fix!" a high-pitched voice spoke out from the team, clearly not part of the fighters. It was, in fact, the Slippy Toad Spirit the group rescued back at the power plant earlier. As the Werewolf had explained, this Spirit was obligatory despite how annoying he was.

"All it needs is a little tweaking!" Slippy continued, floating towards the destroyed Great Fox. The anthropomorphic toad floated through the walls and began repairing the wreckage from the inside. Only seconds had passed before the Great Fox was shaped up good as new.

"Let's go," Marth said, walking into the ship's steel door. The other Smashers joined him, and the ship closed shortly after. The Great Fox switched to auto-pilot mode and departed from the icy ground, ejecting into the space area. For a while, the fighters could relax again after traveling for so long.

Joker looked out into the stars, noticing the scenery itself was fake and the planets themselves were nothing more than large, flat discs. The Phantom Thief pressed his red-gloved hand against the thick glass window, and Mario walked in to his right.

"…You miss them, don't you?" Mario asked. According to the plumber, Joker had something on his mind that involved his past companions.

"…You know what happened to those that either fought or defended against the light, right?" Joker asked.

"Of course," Mario answered. "Everyone has been transformed into Spirits, with Normals accessing solid matter at will and Masters unable to touch anything without a vessel for possession despite having abilities for more powerful assistance. All of our friends were captured by the light, transformed into our Trophy forms, and used as cloning machines for Supporters: unique Shadow Bug clones that require Spirits to enhance their strength but are otherwise immobilized. With the Lock, which was crafted from our Smash Balls, Master Legendries – the most powerful Spirits out there – are bound to our bodies until death under Galeem's orders, making us Primaries. The Fighter Spirits are afterwards banished into exile, waiting for someone to reawaken and save them…"

"That was pretty dark, but I was just asking what happened to my friends," Joker answered.

"Oh," Mario noted. "They probably became what I described…"

"…Do you want to know how I really survived the Movement of the Light?" Joker asked.

"Movement of the Light?" Mario responded in question.

"That's the name I apparently came up with," Joker continued. "Before, I was lying to you people how I survived mainly because I thought you were spies and you didn't act friendly before… Now that I managed to gain your trust, I guess it's time to tell you how I did it…

"Back at Earth, I was just simply resting, ready for a busy day of finals the next week. I was also tired from traveling to the Metaverse and changing the hearts of wicked people by stealing their shadow-versions' treasures. As soon as I fell asleep, a light as bright as the sun shined through my window. At first, I thought it was daytime already despite my alarm clock reading 10:00 P.M., and the news on the TV were getting the same complaints as well. Everyone, including me, walked into the store streets of Tokyo and looked up into the sky to see what appeared to be a meteor shower shining as bright as the sun. However, before we knew what happened, the "meteorites" curved in towards us and attacked.

"There was nothing but a panic throughout the city. People being burned alive, children crying, church and temple bells around the world ringing that it was 'Judgement Day'. I tried to hide between the buildings and call my friends about the situation, but the moment I saw them through a face cam app, it was too late. I quickly ran off on my separate path instead of heading to the nearest airport and subway trains. Taping the app that took me to the Metaverse on my smartphone, I traveled to the parallel dimension of Mementos before the lights devoured me.

"I appeared in my Phantom Thief form, suddenly aware that the light beams were in Mementos too. They were that powerful. As the lights consumed all matter, I pulled out my Wild Card and used every Persona I had in my inventory. Both the Metaverse and the real world were being consumed by the light, and all of my Personas came up with a plan. All of the Personas left the Wild Card I was using to fight off the light, and Arsene was the only one to transport me to a gateway between Mementos and Earth: a place where the light could not reach.

"As soon as the light vanished, I woke up in a strange new world. My mask was by my side, and I saw Arsene was badly wounded by that time. I also saw the Wild Card was burned away, meaning I only had a few days left to use only one or two Personas at a time, excluding Arsene since he was bound to my mask, who all vanished shortly after I met you guys. I was met up by Piranha Plant and four other survivors, who found different ways of being consumed by the light.

"For the Piranha Plant, we had no idea how he really survived. That flower did not even have enough intelligence levels to write or even speak. The best guess we could come up with was hiding in a sewage pipe in time. Regardless, we departed from each other, and we hope to see each other again soon…"

"Incoming signal," Snake alerted the other fighters. On his radar, Snake noticed an enemy vehicle approaching the Great Fox.

"Identify the intruder and put it on-screen," Ryu commanded. With the best of his ability, Snake managed to adjust to the ship's complicated controls and quickly brought up the camera screen. What they saw was an Arwing attempting to barrel-roll through the ship's hull. The Arwing itself had no idea it was unsuccessful.

The camera zoomed in on the Arwing, and the Smashers pieced together that it was battered and busted, just like how it appeared when Galeem burned Falco through the starship he was traveling in. Despite having lost some major parts, like several wings and the roof of the cockpit, the ship somehow functioned on its own as though it was a zombie.

The camera zoomed in closer. As the fighters adjusted the ship's lens, they found out it was Falco Lombardi himself trying to break through the hull in a busted Arwing. The red eyes and white aura gave away the fact he was also under Galeem's possession as a Primary through the Lock.

"I'll go in to rescue Falco," Mario told his friends. "The rest of you all get rid of those asteroids." The red plumber started running towards the deck. However, when he arrived without assistance, there were no Arwings in sight. Irritated, Mario had to open the emergency airlock room next to the Arwing parking deck.

"I guess we'll do this the hard way then," Mario sighed, ready to jump out. The red plumber was starting to remember the days he traveled through space to rescue Peach and the Comet Observatory, and he did not rely on the usage of at least an astronaut suit to survive in space. After the airlock closed and a second door outside of the Great Fox opened, Mario quickly jumped out. As mentioned before, Mario was okay when he was floating in the strange space area, almost like he was the bottom of a pool.

Mario floated as fast as he could towards the broken Arwing, and the red plumber quickly grabbed onto the ship's hull. The Falco Primary stopped what he was doing and quickly noticed Mario trying to break into the Arwing. With a swing from his legs, Mario busted the cockpit window open. The Falco Primary immediately pulled out his blaster, but Mario quickly grabbed the captured fighter and tossed him out of the Arwing. The Great Fox stopped the engines for a while to see Mario grabbing the Arwing itself. Throwing the broken starship with immense force, Mario aimed for the Falco Primary, who was sitting on one of the disc-shaped planets at that time. The captured fighter quickly jumped out of the way, dodging the explosion from the Arwing.

Mario quickly jumped off another flat planet, trying to catch up with the Falco Primary in such low gravity. The captured fighter kept firing his lasers and kicking out its reflector, but the red plumber quickly caped the projectiles back at the Falco Primary. Mario grabbed the anthropomorphic bird, ready to punch once he saw what Master Legendary Spirit was possessing one of his friends this time. It was the legendary Pokémon Lugia, who was also one of the Pokémon freed from the Yggdrasil explosion a while ago in the form of a Spirit. Mario tossed the Falco Primary near the Great Fox, slamming the Star Fox mercenary into the hull. The two fighters kept attacking each other until they both got sucked back into the ship's airlock, which was still open during that time.

"A little help-a here!" Mario exclaimed, signaling his friends to cover him up as he kept fighting the Falco Primary. The ship's speakers quickly picked up the situation, and the whole group ran in to protect the red plumber.

Once the Falco Primary pinned Mario to the floor, he sat up on the plumber's body and pointed his blaster at Mario's head. Joker quickly pulled out his gun and fired straight for the captured fighter's cranium. After the bullet flew straight through the Falco Primary's head, the captured fighter fell limp and died, with none of the fighters getting the chance to go through the Spirit Roulette again. The Galeem Lock was broken, and the Lugia Spirit flew free. Falco Lombardi himself, despite being shot in the head, was healed and reawakened.

"…What happened?" Falco asked, clenching his feathery head. "I feel like I've got a splitting headache…"

"He he… my fault," Joker shyly answered, hiding the gun in his jacket. Mario quickly got up, patting the Star Fox mercenary's shoulder. During that fight with Falco, the Great Fox managed to clear the asteroids from the light path, and it was heading straight for the Galeem Void trapped in the Northern Barrier.


Inside the castle, Kirby, Pikachu, Piranha Plant, Yoshi, Villager, Jigglypuff, Sheik, Inkling, Mii Swordfighter, Little Mac, Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer, Link, Dr. Mario, and Fox with the Eldest Fab Fairy began looking around for the target for their plan to overthrow Galeem. An ocean of lava covered the structure's floor, scalding the stone pathways to heating temperatures. Lava monsters swam in between the gaps, Dry Bones were walking in the distance, and other enemies from the Mushroom Kingdom plagued the way to Bowser's throne.

"I'm guessing these were what Bulbin and his men were dragging in, huh?" Little Mac asked.

"Oh my," the Eldest Fab Fairy Spirit said. "Don't worry if any of you get hurt. My spells will heal you back to normal… that is unless you cook in the lava first." As the fighters progressed through the castle, fighting various enemies like Koopas and Goombas, they suddenly stumbled across a pathway. There was nothing but air, but flimsy strings colored blue traced out a path to the next stone pillar.

Piranha Plant looked around to see what he could find. Much to his surprise, he saw a P Switch the same color as the lines just next to the path. Once the carnivorous flower spat out a spiky ball, it hit the P Switch and the blue-colored bridge appeared out of thin air. All of the fighters noticed what happened, and they knew how to solve this puzzle.

Traveling through the castle, each of the fighters attacked waves of Mushroom Kingdom enemies, and they were activating different-colored P Switches to access more bridges. For each bridge they accessed and each pipe they slipped through, each of the fighters were getting closer to Bowser's throne. All they needed to access was one more P Switch: one that was black and connected all the way to the throne.

"Almost there," Gilbert addressed. "Just need to touch that P Switch and we'll be on our way- are you kidding me!?" The Mii Swordfighter was just interrupted by the sound of a cage rolling down from the ceiling in chains, descending to the stone pillar that the fighters were standing on right in front of the black P Switch. As soon as the unlocked cage opened, a familiar pink slipper poked out.

"…Could it be?" Sheik asked. Walking out of the open cage was the Peach Primary. She had already plucked a handful of white turnips with different faces on them, and she was ready to toss them at the fighters. The Spirit that was possessing Peach through the Galeem Lock was the Shadow Queen from Mario's adventures through the Thousand-Year Door.

"Looking for someone?" the Peach Primary asked in a calm yet intimidating voice. By the moment she finished, King Bulbin and his Bokoblin army cornered the fighters by surrounding them throughout the stone pillar. The Peach Primary stepped in front, with a small group of Bokoblins behind her. Noticing that the Piranha Plant was the one that started the idea of jumping on P Switches, the captured fighter grabbed the carnivorous flower and vanished through a vortex. The other Bokoblin were ready to attack the other fighters.

Each Smasher was set to fight each incoming group of Bokoblins. With their skills and brawns, the fighters swatted down all of those Hyrulean monsters like flies. Punches and kicks flew around, and it was to the point where most of the Bokoblins that were either waiting for a turn to attack or lunged in for the kill were tossed into the lava by their own kind's bodies whacking into them. King Bulbin was ready to charge on his steed Lord Bullbo into the crossfire, but Fox quickly grabbed the Bokoblin's spear and kicked Lord Bullbo's face at the same time. Once the war hog was knocked unconscious, King Bulbin was tossed onto the ground by the accelerated force of his own weapon, and Link pointed the Master Sword at the king's neck.

"I see you have bested my forces," King Bulbin addressed. "I only serve those that have defeated me in battle, just so you know." When several more Bokoblin arrived, King Bulbin raised his hand, signaling his troops to hold their fire. Once everything seemed to have calmed down, Pikachu hopped towards the black P Switch and pressed it. The black bridge appeared, providing a path to Bowser's throne.

"Now that the Bokoblin clan has been defeated by the teamwork of your mighty powers, we will accept whatever quest you have for us," King Bulbin continued.

"Well first off, you can help take me back to my sister's," the Eldest Fab Fairy spoke up. "With my powers, I can already sense they are at the gate to the Sky Temple. However, I would like someone to show me the way." The Master Advanced Spirit floated towards the Bokoblins.

"How do we know if you're not going to take her away?" Fox asked, keeping his blaster next to his side.

"Like the Werewolf, we too deserve freedom," King Bulbin confessed. "We can't handle being under Galeem's control anymore, but we had stuck to our promise that I will serve those that have defeated me. Turns out you people were no different." The Bokoblin army then rode off from the castle, with the Eldest Fab Fairy floating behind them. As soon as both the Bokoblin army and the Fab Fairy have disappeared, a vortex appeared behind the fighters, and Piranha Plant carrying an unconscious Peach in his leaves appeared. The Shadow Queen Spirit floated out from the vanishing portal with the white mist of the Galeem Lock, and both of those mysterious entities floated right into Kirby. Another vision began inside the pink puffball's mind.


Kirby appeared back on the planet of Majikku, home of the Magic Rainbolement. The pink puffball saw that the Dragosmo students, who were all fully-matured adults, were already finished with their final technique at the roots of the giant tree, and the two generals walked towards the students to give his thanks.

"You did well, my students," Sozo congratulated. "You have spent the last ten years training and harnessing each of the seven Rainbolements within all of you. Hopefully you have also learned their morals. By this point, you are on the path to becoming true defenders of Arcus, meaning you may have to do you best for the Dragosmo festival this year, otherwise you will be stuck here for another ten years. Within a week after we get back home, we all expect you to improvise with your special skills, whether working alone or as a team. Now that our lessons are truly over, we will head back home to Arcus." Sozo and Hakai took off into the nighttime skies and flew all the way back to the Sky Temple Training Arena. All of the other Dragosmos were heading back, and Ultima stayed around for a while longer to wait for the Queen of the Winged Unicorns to trot towards her. The mythical horse herself was guarded by two centaurs.

"We will miss you terribly," the queen spoke telepathically. Ultima turned around and nodded in agreement.

"It really was an honor spending ten years in space and other planets, learning about the solar system's history," Ultima addressed. "Thank you for everything." The black dragoness was spreading her wings, ready to head back. However, the winged unicorn had something to say.

"I also wish good luck for your brothers, no matter how strong their conflict is," the queen noted. Ultima froze in place for a split second, remembering the Minister of the Plant Wyverns reminding her of the Queen of the Winged Unicorns having a solution to their problems.

"You… know about my brothers? Galeem and Phoenix?" Ultima asked.

"The Magic Rainbolement allows us to see the impossible," the magical horse answered. "Though they don't act like it, they will be a part of something greater." Ultima lowered her rainbow-spectrum wings back on her back, and she slowly walked towards the winged unicorn.

"Something… greater?" the dragoness questioned. The queen then tapped her front hoof on the soil, alerting Ultima to bow before her. The dragon willingly obeyed, and the Queen of the Winged Unicorns moved close enough so that her single horn touched Ultima's forehead. A bright light slowly gleaned between the two creatures, and the winged unicorn slowly backed away while neighing, trauma in her sparkling-blue eyes. The two centaurs bodyguards quickly laid hands on the queen, comforting her.

"What is it?" Ultima asked, getting up from her spot.

"Your brothers will fight one another eventually, and it would be more than just how many friends they have," the queen answered telepathically. "Your future will be grim and unpredictable, making it impossible to stop. All you can do is pray you survive the events."

"Survive? Grim and unpredictable? What's going on?" Ultima asked, a little terrified.

"They may have set aside their differences for now, but your brothers have their visions clouded with judgement over the darkness and light," the queen answered. "There may be arguments which could be valid at times, but they will eventually find the Mother…"

"The Mother?" Ultima asked.

"She is the true source of all insanity," the Queen if the Winged Unicorns answered. "Galeem and Phoenix will fight against each other for dominance over popularity, but the Mother will find ways to grant them power. The ancient writings will give your brothers ways to destroy everything and make us all perish. She will permanently corrupt them, and there would be nothing you can accomplish to undo their ways."

"You mean I have to… kill them at some point!?" Ultima asked, terrified.

"They will fall, and balance will be restored, but not by your fangs," the queen continued telepathically. "Only through summoning the warriors of the past will our legacy be able to survive. All you need is the hearts of the planets in our solar system, the stones of darkness and light, and a gift from an all-powerful deity; combine them all into one and you can draw in fighters of many universes. Hurry, before it is too late…" Ultima quickly flew back to the flying stadium, coming in by diving in from the top and landing on the arena's central stage. The blue barrier formed around the arena one last time, and the rockets boosted the building out of the planet. The dragoness rubbed her face, scared about the thoughts of her two brothers becoming corrupted by some ancient texts.

A great war that may doom the multiverse as a whole? A being that will secretly change how their brothers behave? Balance and stuff? What kind of gibberish had that winged unicorn been cooking up? Ultima refused to believe that queen was telling the truth, but from her last years spent in Majikku, all creatures here never find this kind of shit that had hit the fan. Sooner or later, Galeem and Phoenix will fight, but not like any other family of dragons, and she could do nothing to stop their decisions. Something, or someone, more sinister was ready to play the cards, and she was waiting for the dragoness to fold.

If what that winged unicorn said was true, then I have the darkest of times for my future, Ultima thought. The dragoness watched the stars from above start to slow down, and the rocket engines purred quieter. As soon as the blue barrier dropped to reveal the clear-blue skies of Arcus, Ultima charged up the Air Rainbolement inside her and flew off as fast as the wind. The black dragoness left the Sky Temple Training Arena before any of the other Dragosmos, including Phoenix and Galeem, could even depart from the stadium after ten long years.

Ultima looked down on the land below her. She noticed the land looked slight more green than when she first saw it. Arcus and its colorful skies did not even look a day different. She saw the Civiltatula in the distance in all its glory, admiring how all those huts and stone buildings decorated the City of Dragons. Kirby was riding on her back this whole time, undetected due to the fact that it was a vision.

Now that Ultima had harnessed the power of all seven Rainbolements, it was easier for her to trace a way back to the nest she and her brothers were born in. As Ultima flew as fast as lightning to her home, Kirby's vision was glowing white, meaning it was over for now.


The pink demon squinted his eyes, his body adjusting to these visions at random. Princess Peach poked his squishy face, waking him up.

"Kirby?" Peach asked. "Are you okay?" The pink alien nodded in response, quickly standing up.

"We better get a move-on," Fox told the gang. "Our only chance is to head to that throne and meet our opponent." The Star Fox mercenary then ran across the black bridge, with Kirby, Link, Piranha Plant, Dr. Mario, Sheik, Villager, Inkling, Little Mac, Yoshi, Wii Fit Trainer, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Pikachu, and now Peach following after him.

The fighters got to the stairs of the throne pillar, where torches were lit up on the sides. In front was a throne covered in various bull horns, and sitting in it was the Bowser Primary himself.

"So… you made it all this way to my castle," a deep voice spoke from the captured fighter. "You know how much Lord Galeem hates to wait for his opponents…" The fighters were already locked in their battle positions, ready to take on the Koopa King that had fallen under the Seraph of Order's power.

"If you want to know who is possessing your villainous friend here, I'll give you a hint," the voice addressed. With a snap of his fingers, the Bowser Primary lowered three cages from the ceiling. In there were different Mii Fighters; though they were under Galeem's control, the Bowser Primary emitted purple flames from his claws. The captured Miis' faces started glowing white, and their faces were ripped off. The Bowser Primary then stuck the faces back on the Mii's just for a demonstration of his powers.

"Of course," Gilbert told his friends. "This is the Dark Lord we're up against, and he was a major threat in an unknown world known as Miitopia. That would probably explain why the Fab Fairies hold such a strong presence here…" The Bowser Primary, under control of the Dark Lord, noticed the Piranha Plant.

"I didn't think I would run into one of Bowser's most loyal minions here," the Bowser Primary snarled, pointing at Piranha Plant.

"He may not seem like it, but Piranha Plant is the spiritual reincarnation of Petey Piranha!" Link exclaimed.

"But do you know why he is in this form…?" the Bowser Primary continued. "Let's take a leap into his long-forgotten memories, shall we?" The Bowser Primary then caused the Piranha Plant to jerk and spasm chaotically, letting him drop to the warm stone floor. The fighters saw a moving image of a budding flower rising from the ashes, looking exactly similar to the flower Sonic the Hedgehog had stumbled upon while he was searching for his friends. A gloved hand from the blue blur touched it's soft, delicate stem.

"Don't worry, little buddy," Sonic said to the flower in the memory flash. "We'll make this end soon. I'm sure of it. You'll grow up to be the first and the most beautiful flower to ever survive the Subspace Apocalypse." A tear landed on the bud, and it bloomed into a beautiful white flower as soon as Sonic was gone.

"As you can see, that flower is, unbelievably, Piranha Plant," the Bowser Primary said. "Ten years after the events of the Subspace Emissary, Petey Piranha was one of the fallen bosses. However, his legacy was not forgotten by the Mushroom Kingdom enemies. Early prototypes for a revival machine powered by the Phantom Ruby and Shadow Synergy Stone were planned for the Subspace Army. However, a freak accident occurred when both stones were unstable, since they did not originally have a vessel, and all that remained was a seed of the once-powerful Piranha Plant.

"He was reincarnated in the form of a perineal flower, one of whose species was undiscovered by any intelligent species ever. Repeating itself in a cycle for ten years. Untouched. Until that blue hedgehog that caused everyone's troubles to begin with woke it up from its dormant sleep. That tear on its petals was that of a warrior who was unaffected by a trophy transformation, so a spark of light triggered inside the flower.

"Petey Piranha regained his memories, but he was unable to act until Galeem destroyed everything. The flower itself had survived through the planet's drastic change. After Joker and four other warriors crash-landed on Gallia, they stumbled across the plant. Interested in his care, they took him in and he grew up into nothing more than an ordinary Piranha Plant. The process of change itself took five long years before they were all detected by Galeem's forces and they went their separate ways."

"Five years?" Wii Fit Trainer asked. The Bowser Primary growled in guilt, knowing he had spoiled the team's time.

"When you have gained the knowledge of Galeem, you know just about everything," the Bowser Primary continued. "And five years waiting for someone to bring your Spirits their bodies back is an eternity. Once Kirby arrived, the Forgotten Resistance emerged from the shadows, now having their chance to strike back. To that pink puffball, it was only a minute." Kirby was surprised by what that Warp Star of his managed to accomplish – time travel into the future. None of the other Smashers could believe anything. They still stood their battle positions as the Bowser Primary got up from his throne.

"Was that too much of an information dump?" the captured fighter finished. "Don't worry: I'll make this quick." The stone pillar everyone was standing on started rumbling, and it quickly accelerated into the air. The ground itself shaped into the Final Destination layout like for all the other Primaries. This time however, the Bowser Primary did not grab a random opponent and draw them in through some vortex. The background changed to mimic a scenery of clouds in the daylight.

"Let me show you what happens when you double-cross a boss that protects the Galeem Void!" the Dark Lord inside Bowser's body said. Bowser's body then started clenching his body in pain. Somehow, the Spirit of the Dark Curse was triggering some sort of transformation inside him. Through a light-green flash, his own body grew larger, and his shell became more intimidating. Bowser's body became mutated in ways unimaginable, and his face spelled out nightmares. It was Giga Bowser. This abysmal creature roared out terror in the faces of the fighters.

Fox began coating his own body in flames, rising up and through Giga Bowser. Once the boss slammed his body down on the stage, all of the fighters jumped out of the way. Dr. Mario and Wii Fit Trainer threw whatever projectiles they had at the monster, hoping they could hold him back. Apparently, Giga Bowser also had super armor, making him hard to punish. Kirby, Villager, and Piranha Plant quickly jumped onto Giga Bowser's shell, jabbing as ferociously as they could. The boss felt the three fighters attacking on his shell, so he started spinning like his Whirling Fortress move but complete with ice particles, knocking them onto their feet.

This was the chance for Fox and Captain Falcon to attack, and they began rapidly punching and kicking at Giga Bowser's feet. The boss suddenly started breathing long streaks of fire at the Smashers. Link luckily ran in and blocked the flames with his Hylian Shield, protecting Fox and Captain Falcon. Fox McCloud jumped over Link and pulled out his reflector, sending Giga Bowser's flames back at the beast. Though he did not flinch from the reflected attack, Giga Bowser received a consecutive amount of damage.

Little Mac, Inkling, and Mii Swordfighter began dodging Giga Bowser's flaming-black claws, attacking when there was a window available. Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and Lucario all lunged towards Giga Bowser's face and clawed at him. Trying to coat his shell with lightning, the creature's vision was blurred and violet flames curled up between his horns. Kirby quickly saw what was going to happen next if his friends didn't stop immediately and quickly ran up towards the beast.

As soon as Giga Bowser was ready to use his smash attack, all of the fighters quickly jumped behind the boss due to how slow he really was, allowing Kirby to pull out his flaming hammer. With one mighty swing to the head, the pink demon knocked out Giga Bowser. Pieces of the boss's head flew in separate directions, and there was an aura inside the abysmal beast's skull. The glowing-white aura revealed Bowser himself inside the boss, freed from a peculiar position of the Galeem Lock. All of Giga Bowser's fragments of the Smash Ball in the white mist and the Master Legendary Dark Lord Spirit all flew into Kirby. Another vision sparked up inside the pink puffball as he saw the Final Destination falling back into the castle with waves of lava pushed outward, the Smashers running close to Bowser's body, and Giga Bowser's corpse collapsing.


Kirby touched the Smash Ball on his forehead again, noticing the golden eyes and rainbow Aura around his pink body. The nest Kirby was in looked rather familiar as he looked around the cave, with a bonfire providing light in the comfortable home. The two dragons Metallio and Toropikaru waited outside in the middle of the night for their children, knowing they can use their sense and magic to find their way back home.

Ultima was the first one to arrive, and she appeared in the blink of an eye right in front of her parents. As the bonfire provided enough illumination, Metallio and Toropikaru were unfamiliar with one of their children after ten years of training. What once was their perfect little angel without a care in the world grew up into a strong and beautiful dragoness. Her raven-black scales dully reflected the light of the stars, with her golden eyes glowing faintly with the special powers of the Rainbolements bestowed upon her. Her wings shaped like glowing prisms arranged in a rainbow stretched twice as long as her body, and she was as big as her parents.

"Ultima?" Toropikaru asked. Ultima's eyes welled up with joy. She sighed in happiness, knowing she was finally back home after ten years. She sat on her hind legs and hugged her parents lovingly. Galeem and Phoenix also happened to arrive shortly after. Toropikaru and Metallio noticed their sons here as well, and the mother and father invited the two brothers in for a family hug.

"You did it," Metallio wept, embracing the comfort of his reunited children with Toropikaru. Galeem and Phoenix entered the den, starting to regain memories of home. Ultima was glad that everyone was back together at last.

"You three grew up fast," Toropikaru addressed, rubbing Ultima's face gently with her own claw. "It's amazing…"

"Of course it is," Ultima chuckled, whisking her mother's claw away. "I thought about Arcus every day we were at the camp."

"And it seems like the teachings of the Dragosmos finally helped you and your brothers become one of them," Metallio said.

"Not quite," Ultima answered. "Within a week, the Dragosmo Solstice begins. By that time, any dragon that has trained within the flying stadium will have to participate or spend another ten years stuck in the arena. Galeem, Phoenix, and I would have to work together in order to pull this off. To make both of you proud." Toropikaru draped a wing over Ultima's shoulder.

"We already are, regardless if you succeed or fail," Toropikaru said. Ultima nodded, walking into the den. She saw her brothers having fun as they were, and each one of them was messing around with their powers.

"Hey, hey!" Galeem laughed. "Look what I can do!" Galeem's eyes flashed a faint white before crisscrossing lines appeared in thin air. They covered a small radius, but they were big enough to reach Ultima. The black dragoness quickly ducked to avoid the glowing lines. Shortly after they had activated, they vanished.

"Take a look at this," Phoenix answered with a smug look non his face. Phoenix laid on his back and began shooting a fountain of purple bullets into the air. Once he was done, Toropikaru walked in.

"Outside. Now," the mother dragon answered strictly. "We don't want you to destroy our home." The two brothers willingly obeyed, walking outside of the den. Ultima followed them outside.

As soon as the three siblings were outside, Ultima dived towards her brothers and began hugging them tight. Galeem, Phoenix, and Ultima laughed as they rolled on the soft midnight grass, all three of them looking up at the stars.

"It's interesting how far we've come," Galeem told his brother and sister. "We've just traveled through space for ten years, and we couldn't even message our parents back home." Ultima then started thinking about what the Queen of the Winged Unicorns said about some sort of terrible faith. She the sat up and looked at her brothers Phoenix and Galeem.

"Phoenix? Galeem?" Ultima asked, looking down on the ground.

"Yes, Ultima?" Phoenix asked.

"Have you two gotten over your problems with how many friends you have?" Ultima asked.

"Of course we have," Galeem answered. "Our tutors taught us we were just overreacting. Why would you ask?"

Ultima sighed as she stared at her two brothers uncomfortably. "I… fear something may go horribly wrong if you two fight. I'm a bit worried about you…"

"It will be alright, Ultima," Phoenix responded. "Friends until the end, remember?"

"…I know," Ultima continued. "However, if you two are about to give in to your troubles, please don't fight over that. It could lead to more than just fighting for popularity…"

"It won't happen, Ultima," Galeem said, lying on his side while keeping his head upright. "You two are all that matter in my life…" Ultima cuddled close to her brothers, knowing that they can survive whatever threat that was warned of them. Kirby saw the environment glowing white again, and he instantly woke up.


The pink demon found himself waking up in Sheik's arms, and Peach was singlehandedly dragging Bowser's unconscious body. As you can tell, all of the fighters were escaping from the castle since Giga Bowser's corpse was rigged with a Subspace Bomb, and the explosion was swallowing everything.

All of the Smashers managed to escape from the castle and quickly took the waterfall back to take the wall to the light fissure bridge from before. Kirby quickly jumped out of Sheik's arms to see the violet explosion of Subspace engulf the whole castle, and it was dragging in everything in its radius. Bowser managed to wake up in time to see what happened.


Mario and his crew were finished clearing the last asteroid that cluttered the space zone without signs of other fighters. Suddenly, Snake and Joker saw on-screen that another vortex was sucking the Great Fox to itself, ready to kill off all its passengers.

"Something's happening!" Marth exclaimed. "Some sort of force is dragging us in!"

"Use all rockets and make sure they're blasting at maximum overdrive!" Falco answered, pressing buttons to start up the engines.

"Nothing's working!" Joker yelled, mashing as fast as he could to blast the engines. The Slippy Spirit, who was powering the Great Fox this whole time, abandoned the ship since there was nothing to do. As the Northern Barrier was being stripped apart by more pieces, the whole crew inside the Great Fox was ready to die, but Faker quickly grabbed Falco, Ice Climbers, Ryu, Snake, Mega Man, Pichu, Duck Hunt, Isabelle, Lucas, Donkey Kong, PAC-MAN, Olimar, Joker, Marth, and Mario. Using whatever powers she had, she blasted the whole team out of the ship, flying them all out of here with use of the Air, Thunder, and Magic Rainbolements to create a super-speedy warrior.

As Faker managed to save the whole gang from being sucked into Subspace, they all landed on the snowy mountain. From a safe distance, the fighters on that team all saw the Great Fox itself being dragged into a large explosion of Subspace, alongside hexagon-shaped pieces of the Northern Barrier. Once things seemed to have settled down and the Subspace blast vanished, all that remained was the Northern Barrier, which was now glowing red and pulsing faster.

"Looks like-a our friends managed to tear a bigger hole to the Galeem Void," Mario said to his friends. Afterwards, the Smashers saw the Eldest Fab Fairy flying to the gateway to the Sky Temple all the way west, unaware that she was accompanied by King Bulbin and his Bokoblin army.

"Now all we have to do is clear the light fissure and let our friends on the other team do the rest of the job," Mega Man said. "Let's go…" The team started climbing down the mountain, ready for the next step in their plan.


Deep in the Galeem Void, there was more light brightening up the black sky, and Galeem himself was watching with an eagle's eye. Not only had his only defenses been weakened, but the leader of one of the common enemies in Hyrule had turned against him. Enraged, the Search of Order slammed his glowing fist on the sleeves of his crystal throne.

It seemed the Super Smash Brothers were beating the Lord of Light at his own game.

Chapter 51: The Sky Temple

Summary:

Mario's group of fighters have just arrived at the Sky Temple, unaware that they are being watched by an enemy that will soon be greater than them.

Chapter Text

Once Mario, Joker, and the rest of their team took the stone paths downward back to the abandoned village where plenty of Spirits from the other town took refuge. They all quickly floated inside the houses once King Bulbin's army marched in. The group of fighters quickly ran to the Youngest and Middle Fab Fairies, who were already waiting at the gate, and tried to protect them.

"We know you're after us," Mega Man told the Bokoblins. "If you're looking for a fight, you've come to the right people."

"Listen, warriors," King Bulbin objected, both he and his troops lowering their weapons and easing their boars. "We come in peace now. We're turning against Galeem."

"And what makes you sure you're telling the truth?" Faker asked. The Eldest Fab Fairy levitated out of the Bokoblin army, safe and sound.

"Big sis!" the Youngest Fab Fairy squealed, rushing to the indigo-clothed fairy. The Middle Fab Fairy came with the little sister too. The Fab Fairies were reunited at last. When Mario and the team noticed that the Bokoblin army didn't attack, they looked at the Hyrulean monsters cautiously.

"We kept an oath that I will serve the one that has defeated me in a battle, fair and square, King Bulbin answered. "Turns out we now realize that Galeem cheated in the game of war…"

"Life isn't fair for any of us," Falco said. "Now let's get that gate open and benefit our friends during the plan." The fighters all walked towards the large gate, waiting for the three Fab Fairies to get into position.

Glittering sparkles began glowing from the Fab Fairies' fingertips as they got into their dance stances. Music played out of nowhere, and the three Spirits moved gracefully. The upbeat tempo of the music amped the three Fab Fairies into action. The sisters danced in their own movement in harmony: the youngest in a bossy attitude, the middle with a swanlike mood, and the eldest by a graceful manner.

Like ballerinas, the Fab Fairies moved to the beat of their own music. For no apparent reason, the Smashers decided to join with the dancing too. The way they moved matched the Fab Fairies perfectly, and it was probably because the music was catchy. Once the dancing was over, a large blast of confetti escaped from the Fab Fairies behind them in an explosion. The fighters stopped dancing and quickly reacted to the blast. Once the confetti explosion finished, the large gate slowly opened. The curse upon the entrance was lifted by the Fab Fairies, and bathed in a glorious light was the Sky Temple itself.

"This the place?" Snake asked.

"Yeah," Joker answered. The Sky Temple was decorated with decaying quartz pillars, with sheets of snow and ice covering the floor. Vines and flowers clogged the cracks on the path, untouched by the cold.

"Well, what are we waiting for!?" Isabelle asked, impatient. "Let's head inside and neutralize that light fissure! We have no time for dawdling!"

"Oh," Mario answered. "Right." Mega Man was the first to approach the Sky Temple. However, as soon as he took a step on the stone path, an barrage of light arrows flew towards him. The blue bomber didn't have time to react, but Joker quickly jumped in front of Mega Man and summoned Arsene by pulling off his mask.

"Makarakarn!" Joker called out, reflecting the barrage of light arrows. The projectiles targeted all the way back to the Sky Temple's entrance where they came from. There was an army of Light Puppets responsible for firing that rain of arrows. The warriors of purely focused light charged from the Sky Temple, ready to attack the fighters. King Bulbin and his Bokoblin soldiers marched in front of the Smashers, ready to take their lives.

"You're going to die out there!" Marth told the monster king. "Galeem will end your lives!"

"My time for serving those has come to an end," King Bulbin answered, pulling out his battle axe. "What matters is that you complete the mission and save us all." The Bokoblin armies began charging at the Light Puppets, attacking ferociously. A Light Puppet was about to murder the Smashers, but Faker used the Magic Rainbolement to instantly teleport the fighters to the entrance of the Sky Temple, which was unguarded.

"This way!" Faker called out, running into the temple. The three Fab Fairies flew into the Sky Temple's light. Looking back on the Bokoblins that were sacrificing their lives for the Super Smash Brothers to complete their mission, Mario, Donkey Kong, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Snake, Lucas, Olimar, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Isabelle, and Joker all ran into the Sky Temple behind Faker and the Fab Fairies.

With a flash of light, the Smashers saw the inside of the Sky Temple. There was a circle of pillars decaying into rubble, and a thin blanket of snow decorated the edges. In the center of the area was a glowing-green portal encased in ice, and up in the sky were floating ruins opaque enough to cover the sunlight.

"Well, we're here," Ryu said. "All we have to do is find a way to melt the ice covering the portal…"

"Maybe I can help," Faker answered. Using the Fire Rainbolement, the brown-skinned, dragon-armored warrior attempted on melting the ice. When she found out it had no effect, she used her newly-founded Water Rainbolement to shatter the ice, but she was unsuccessful too.

"Any bright ideas?" Joker asked.

"I'm thinking! I'm thinking!" Faker answered in frustration. "I'm not adjusted to these powers. Wish I still had my memory intact five years ago!" All of the fighters except for Joker were confused as to what she meant.

"Not now!" the Youngest Fab Fairy whined. "These fighters aren't ready yet to know the truth!"

"The truth…?" Marth asked. Joker sharply inhaled through his nose as he knew the jig was up.

"Joker?" Mario asked. "How long have you been in Gallia?" The Phantom Thief exhaled calmly as he turned around.

"I completely forgot to tell you guys…" Joker said. "You say you only have recollections of your past the day Galeem captured you, right?" The fighters nodded as their answer.

"I'm also betting you can't remember what happened before you were rescued," Joker continued. "The events of the light destroying everything: that all happened five years ago. The moment I woke up on this planet, I found four other survivors that made it just like me, and the Piranha Plant was found by our group in the form of nothing more than a special white flower. We were the only people on this planet, and we found wreckage of what appeared to be a gunship as our secret base. Once the Piranha Plant grew weeks later, we became tired of hiding in plain sight and went out into the world, where the flower learned how to become a fighter. We began learning a little more about all of the fallen fighters during our travels. After coming across a gang of Spirits possessing Supporters: Amaterasu, the Great Sage, Tingle, Flynn, E. Gadd, Sticks, Barbara the Bat, Jill, Saki Amamiya, the Excitebikes, Kat & Ana, Mr. Resetti, Ray MK III, Magnus, Infantry and Tanks, Elec Man, Helirin, and Lakitu, we created our band called the Forgotten Resistance.

"With enough teamwork, we rebuilt the wrecked gunship into the Undying Light, and we had been rescuing many Spirits while hiding in the shadows, where Galeem feared to enter. Five years later however, the Seraph of Order knew where the rebelling Spirits were hiding and sought to strike them down… until Kirby arrived. We all knew Kirby can help us in our mission, so us fighters had to depart ways. I only had access to my Personas for that amount of time and just lost them forever yesterday except for Arsene.

"We broke many Spirits out from their vessel prisons, knowing their real bodies will never be seen again until we complete our mission. The Forgotten Resistance has theorized there are mass-reproducing machines creating these servants like factories, and we are apparently right after what we've seen. It only took us five years to fight against these Primaries, finally strike against the light itself, and find Faker. She may be a simple tagalong for now, but I've got a gut feeling that she has something to do with this…"

As soon as the Phantom Thief finished, the Smashers now knew they had been waiting for five years for someone to rescue them before. Kirby was merely a distraction for the Forgotten Resistance, and the fallen warriors had been patient for half a decade, waiting for a glimpse of hope.

"Five… years…" Mario sighed, sitting down on a small boulder.

"It's probably not that bad," Marth answered with a fake laugh in his voice. Faker noticed the secret was out, but that didn't stop her from continuing the mission. The black-haired, brown-skinned warrior began using all of the Rainbolements to try and break the ice. Suddenly, a spinning cross was thrown in her direction, and the Middle Fab Fairy noticed.

"Faker!" the Middle Fab Fairy cried. Faker instantly ducked, and the Middle Fab Fairy fired an arrow at where the cross came from. She hit the target's knee, and all of the fighters noticed. Each one of the Smashers ran towards the intruder, including Faker and the Fab Fairies who were not technically fighters. Clenching his knee and wincing in pain was the Simon Primary himself.

"You people have made a grave mistake in attacking Trevor C. Belmont, one of the greatest vampire hunters that has ever lived!" the Simon Primary snapped. The Master Legendary Spirit known as Trevor C. Belmont was behind the possession of their friend.

"Oh, you looking for a fight?" Joker asked. "Whoever you really are, we accept your challenge!" The Simon Primary began throwing his axes, crosses, and bottles of holy water while swinging his Vampire Killer, watching for the incoming fighters. Joker luckily summoned Arsene to his side and used Makarakarn, which distracted smaller Smashers like Pichu and Isabelle to tackle the captured fighter. While the Simon Primary used his whip to block his reflected projectiles, Pichu climbed onto his face and jolted him while Isabelle jabbed at his feet. The Youngest Fab Fairy fired a magical arrow that caused the Simon Primary to dance in place, only for a reflected holy water bottle to crash at his feet. The flames emitted from the small puddle of holy water burned the captured fighter's feet, and he quickly recovered from his dancing curse.

As Faker began firing projectiles composed of icicles, the Simon Primary was trying to push through. Just then, Snake ran from behind the captured fighter and aimed his RPG downward. With a powerful blast, Snake knocked-out the Simon Primary. A flash of light flashed from the flying Belmont's body, and the wings of the Galeem Lock that had protected him were shattered without the roulette. The wings then disintegrated into the white mist, and the Trevor C. Belmont Spirit was freed. Simon's unconscious body then floated to the ground, slowly landing in the soft, cold snow. The other fighters ran towards the Belmont, who was starting to wake up.

"What… happened?" Simon asked.

"You're saved from Galeem," Marth answered. "Well, after five years of waiting for a hope of rescue…"

"Five years?" Simon asked again, only this time he was surprised. "Damn, I need to keep up with the times."

"There's no need to," Faker responded. "Look." The Smashers noticed the ice covering the portal was beginning to thaw, allowing them full access to what was apparently the way up to the floating island above them. Whatever they did, waking up Simon was somehow the event that had triggered the ice to melt. The portal then flashed brightly, with a green beacon flashing upward.

"Let's go," Joker said, walking into the portal. The green light wrapped around the Phantom Thief, and he dissolved as he was carried up to the floating island. Shortly after, the rest of his companions went through the portal with him.

All of the fighters, including Faker and the Fab Fairy Spirits, had finished teleporting. As soon as the green light that bathed them was gone, the Super Smash Brothers looked around. The floating island they were standing on had snow and vegetation on its stone ground, but there was a coliseum-like structure this time. The walls were icy with no way of melting them, and the only way in – a large, red door that lacked handles – was barred shut.

"Well… we'll go look for a switch to open the door," Faker said, the three Fab Fairies joining her side. "All of you fighters wait here…" The amnesiac warrior and the Spirits went to the east while all of the Smashers in the group rested near the door. Joker sat on the edge of the floating island portion of the Sky Temple. Mario walked towards the Phantom Thief.

"I'm sorry I… didn't tell you before," Joker told the red plumber. "I didn't think you would mind being locked away for five years. It's just… I wish I could've found you guys sooner…" Mario patted Joker's back, understanding how he feels.

"By the way," Joker continued, "we've come this far, so now would be the good time to tell you my name. Joker is simply my codename, but my real identity is Ren Amamiya."

"Interesting," Mario replied. "Snake's real name is actually David, so yours isn't a big secret to us. It was nice telling me, Ren." The two fighters then relaxed a bit at the edge, looking down upon the entirety of the island. The light fissure covered the whole sky, so it was hard to make out what is on the other side of the island outside of distance mountains. Snake then approached the warriors, signaling them.

"Faker and the pixies found the switch," Snake told the fighters. "The gate's open." Joker and Mario then got up from their positions and ran towards the mercenary and the rest of their friends, standing in front of the now-unlocked door. Faker and the three Fab Fairies joined the group, ready to walk in. Once the fighters got past the door, they saw that inside the coliseum were decaying and toppled quartz pillars with a staircase of stone leading to the top. At the top, in the middle of a stone hoop was a diamond the size of Isabelle's head. The gem was glowing the same golden color as the light fissure, clearly proving this was the source of the geysers erupting from the chasm.

While the Smashers walked toward the stone hoop, Joker approached from another area at the stairs since they circled around the diamond. The Phantom Thief then stepped on something that made a squishy noise. The sound was faint and wasn't recognized by the other fighters, but Ren was the only one that heard it. Joker then looked down at his feet to see a small puddle just the size of his leather boot. What appeared was a puddle of bubblegum-colored slime that appeared to be quite random and out of the ordinary.

"Ew," Joker whispered in disgust.

"Joker!" Snake called out. Ren looked back at his friends who were already at the diamond.

"Coming, David!" Joker answered, sliding his boot on the stone floor. He managed to scrape off the peculiar substance off his tracks and continue on with his mission. However, when the Phantom Thief and his friends weren't looking, the slime puddle looked at them with a single eye. The eye itself had a slit pupil and was light green in color, but it moved as though it was watching. The slime with the eye, as though it had a mind of its own, slithered away, not bothering taking advantage over the fighters.

"We got this," Popo said to the gang, ready to grab the diamond from its position with Nana. Using their icy powers, the Ice Climbers approached the gemstone, it's temperature pulsing hotter. Apparently even with their elemental skills, the diamond was hot enough to melt through the ice and heat up their fur gloves. Nana and Popo quickly backed away, trying to cool down their gloves by waving them up and down.

"…Maybe fire might work since I can use fire," Mario answered. However, even the red plumber wasn't immune to the diamond's heat as he tried bursting fire through his white gloves and attempted to grab the jewel. Mario backed away too, wincing in pain as he tried to calm his burned hands down.

"This is taking way too long," Simon sighed. The Belmont then pulled out his Vampire Killer, ready to break the diamond. With one swing, Simon whipped his Vampire Killer. However, some sort of strange force emitted from the diamond seemed to hold the spiked end of the chain whip in place.

"What the-?" Simon asked, pulling to get his weapon away from the gemstone. The whole team saw what the Belmont was trying to do and grabbed onto his waist, pulling hard on the whip. Once it snapped loose, the fighters all saw who appeared to be the Pit Primary, who turned invisible and managed to successfully catch the spiked end of the Vampire Killer. An image of the Spirit appeared on Pit's chest, revealing it to be the Chariot Master, owner of the Lightning Chariot.

"Did you really think you could break this kind of resource?" the Pit Primary asked in a raspy, ghostly voice. "One that protects Lord Galeem from your ravaging hands?"

"Beat it, old man," Joker answered, pulling out his knife. "We're here to do out mission and save everyone on this planet, including you. So get out the way and let us destroy that diamond."

"Never!" the Pit Primary snapped, blue flames illuminating from the imprisoned angel. Broken battle armor appeared on the captured fighter's body, and his twin blades formed a baton of lightning when he spinned their handles together with his hand.

"Well, it was worth a shot," Joker finished, snapping his fingers. From the Phantom Thief's hands was the Eiha spell. The flames were about to hit the Pit Primary, but he quickly pulled out his Guardian Orbiters and reflected the flame, sending it back at the Phantom Thief.

"Get… him…" Joker winced, trying to handle the slight pain from his countered spell. The fighters started running towards the captured fighter, crowding over the Pit Primary. Despite having such cool powers in his blades, the Chariot Master was possessing the body of Pit, meaning that he had all of Pit's strengths and weaknesses, allowing him to get bodied easily. Even then, Galeem's powers were growing weaker, meaning that most of the Primaries and their Supporters couldn't even summon their challengers to other stages.

Once Donkey Kong was ready to unleash his fully-charged wind-up punch, the Pit Primary quickly grabbed ahold of the gorilla's fist. With a powerful kick, the captured fighter knocked Donkey Kong into Mario, unaware that he was leaving open room for Joker to run in and slash his neck. Joker took advantage of that and quickly sliced the Pit Primary's neck, winning the battle. A white light flashed on Pit's body, and the Galeem Lock was shattered without the roulette. The white mist and the Chariot Master Spirit were free at last, and they quickly flew out into the land down below. All that remained was Pit's unconscious body.

The diamond the fighters were trying to destroy in the first place had shattered into millions of fragments, with its energy flying free. A large booming soundwave echoed throughout the island. Whatever the fighters did probably was important to crossing over the light fissure. An incoming call was picked up by Mario's device, which was with him this whole time.

"This is the Undying Light," Barbara spoke through the transmitter. "Did you do your part in the mission?"

"We got to the Sky Temple!" Mario answered. "The mission was a success!"

"Wait right here before we pick you up," Barbara finished. "By the time you get on the ship, you'll find it… a little bit changed." The second Barbara the Bat finished, a large ship instantly warped in front of the floating island. The whole group was surprised to find the ship itself had gotten an improved upgrade. The Undying Light's hull was shinier and tougher, with the ship itself double its original size. All of the clunky engines were tossed out, and it seemed to have three cannons attached to it. Looks like all of that extra work in Toadette's mines seemed to have improved on the ship's budget. A steel bridge extended from the top, landing on the stone ground.

"Hurry up already!" Sticks the Jungle Badger's Spirit called out from the deck. "These feet aren't gonna walk themselves!" Faker and the Fab Fairies entered the bridge, with Mario, Marth, Joker carrying Pit's body, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, Mega Man, Snake, Ryu, Ice Climbers, Falco, and Simon following behind them. As soon as the ship drew in its bridge, the Undying Light flew away by a few meters.

"Pit's going to be okay," Magnus told the group while he and Saki Amamiya were helping carry Pit's body. "All he needs is a little rest." Once the two Spirits helped transfer the unconscious angel to his room, Mario looked out into the distant land, watching the light geysers start to decay.

"It's up-a to you to finish the job, Kirby," Mario said.


Far off in the island, Kirby, Piranha Plant, Villager, Sheik, Captain Falcon, Mii Swordfighter, Link, Fox, Dr. Mario, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Inkling, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Lucario, Pikachu, Peach, and Bowser all sat near the bridge to cross the light fissure, which was still blocked off at the time.

"…Was I really transformed into a hideous, mutated version of myself?" Bowser asked Peach. "Now that I think about it, I instantly don't want to remember it…"

"The light!" Kirby spoke out, still struggling with talking. Pointing with his stubby arm, the pink demon alerted his friends about the geysers they were standing in front of this whole time. The flaming pillars had drastically shrinked, and the light fissure had stopped glowing as brightly. There now were no flames blocking the bridge.

"It's finally gone," Gilbert sighed, being the first to run towards the bridge. The moment the ex-Ultimate Reborn had set foot, it was cooling down. Each of the fighters then followed after the Mii Swordfighter, ready to take on the challenges of the other side.


Watching in the darkness of the Galeem Void, the black background was starting to become lighter in contrast of color, with clouds floating around faintly. The Seraph of Order himself growled with a dragon's breath, watching as the light fissure had calmed down by that shattered diamond. He then turned to King Bulbin and his Bokoblin men, who were standing weaponless and surrounded by the Light Puppets and Kirby Supporters. Erupting like a volcano, Galeem stuck out his hand and cast out a large flame that packed as much destruction as a pound of dynamite that had only reached to the feet of the Bokoblins.

"You had promised me you would stop the Super Smash Brothers from reaching me!" Galeem snarled. "For five years, I had feared of the day that these weaklings would retaliate!"

"That was our original command," King Bokoblin answered, "but they helped us open our eyes. Each king of the Bokoblins of Hyrule was destined to serve those that have defeated them in a fair battle, and you did NOT play fair." Galeem left his glowing fists to curl up into balls, and the celestial being quickly snapped his fingers. Calling to his side was another Master Hand, though it lacked the golden aura the original Master Hand of Arcadia sported. Once the Lord of Light transformed into a black hole, the Master Hand's blue Swarms were drawn into the vortex. Out from the hole was the concentrated light beams, which curved in and obliterated all of King Bulbin's army in one shot. After the Master Hand transformed back to normal, King Bulbin and the Bokoblins were nothing more than Normal Novice Spirits.

The Master Hand then used the light of Galeem to call out its brother from its own shadow: the Crazy Hand. With one rip through space, the Hands had transported the Hyrulean monsters to the Dark Dimension. Once the rip was gone, the Light Puppets had departed back into the World of Light. Tabuu, who was beginning to ache from the Chains of Light binding him after so long, slowly approached the Seraph of Order.

"Tell me, Tabuu: are you afraid to die…?" Galeem asked calmfully.

"That depends on what you're dying for…" Tabuu answered.

"These fighters look like they would never give up," Galeem continued. "They would still keep on fighting for their reasons and their reasons alone. Balder! Flowey!" The Lord of Light had called out Balder and Flowey, who had just appeared at the foot of his crystal throne, walking on dusty ground.

"Kirby and his friends are going to finish their mission," Galeem ordered them. "Do not screw this up or you will suffer like King Bulbin and the Werewolf before you." Without question, Balder and Flowey bowed, departed with their tasks.

"Two down, two to go," Galeem sighed. "These Smashers will change my servants' ways apparently. Sooner or later, they will all fall into a trap: one that none of us can overcome even with our combined strength…"

"Even more powerful than the one you had locked up in the Dark Dimension…?" Tabuu asked. The Seraph of Order gazed away for a while, not bothering to answer the Construct God's question.


Deep inside the Dark Dimension, King Bulbin and his Bokoblins were starting to wake up, and each one of them saw nothing but darkness for as far as the eye can see. The glowing-blue Spirits saw the green aura of the Werewolf, who was suspending in a floating animation as well. From the lycanthrope's eyes were pure terror of the face of someone who hasn't slept in days.

"More visitors from the outside world," a slightly deepened, calm voice spoke out. The pale-green eye from before looked over the team of castaways trapped with him, a low boom echoing throughout the pitch blackness.

"I see more guests from Gallia had dropped into my party," the eye spoke.

"Whatever you did to the Werewolf, you're not going to do to us!" King Bulbin snarled, clenching his fists. However, the eye simply laughed in a raspy tone.

"I beg to differ," the eye continued. "What I will do to you all will be much… much worse than what Galeem had ever did. These fighters will venture into the darkness eventually, unaware of the shadows that are ready to strike them. This darkness will spread to every corner of the multiverse, and the bargain with the Mother will be over…"


Back at the floating island portion of the Sky Temple, the bubblegum-colored slime that Joker had stepped on before oozed out from a cracked rock, looking around the clear coast with its slit eye. Once everything had seemed peaceful, the slime slithered to a figure of black smoke hiding behind a decaying quartz pillar. A crystalized hand slowly extended out from the black mist, allowing the slime to crawl on to the palm. Green pupils with slits glowed through the black mist, its blood-red sclera gleaming faintly. All that followed from the figure was nothing but silence.

Chapter 52: When Jealousy Takes Over

Summary:

After crossing the light chasm, Kirby slowly starts to learn about how more lonely Phoenix grows by the minute, nearing the point of letting darkness into his heart.

Chapter Text

Kirby and the gang had managed to cross to the other side of the light fissure, looking at the world set before them. What they saw was a drier version of the much greener forest, meaning there were fewer plants around and the sun was hotter. Right in front of them was a black, techno-styled maze with neon blue lights on the edges. There seemed to be no other way around this other than going through.

"Well, we're finally here," Fox told the gang. "It was a long and perilous journey, but we did it."

"I guess all that remains is to travel through the maze, head through the seaside town and jungle, travel through the desert and sky islands, sail the ocean, and reach the island of the Rathalos," Sheik answered. "Shouldn't be too hard, right?" Fox McCloud was ready to take a step into the techno maze before a fully-charged shot blasted right at him in a straight line.

"Fox! Look out!" Peach cried, alerting the Star Fox mercenary. Fox quickly pulled out his reflector and countered the shot, sending it back in the direction it was blasted from. The shot hit its target, and everyone seemed to be aware of their attack.

"Alright, pal!" Bowser growled, his mouth heating up with flames. "You better show yourself! We're ready for you!" Once all of the Smashers got into their battle positions, a familiar shape jumped out from behind a boulder. Following the landing, the attacker revealed itself to be the Samus Primary. Charging in behind her was a large gang of captured Brawlers and Gunners as well as more Kirby Supporters.

"Flee from the terror that is Gandrayda!" the Samus Primary snapped, revealing a magenta-colored humanoid pulsing with lightning in the image of the Master Legendary Spirit. "You weaklings better pay for setting foot on the other side!" Kirby wasted no time in hearing nothing but boastful monologue and charged straight at her, his dash attack engulfed in flames. The Samus Primary quickly got up and began struggling as Kirby grabbed her by the neck with his stubby hands. Some of the remaining magic of the Galeem Lock managed to create another vortex which sucked both Kirby and the Samus Primary in, leaving the rest of his gang to fight the possessed Mii Fighters and Kirby Supporters.


The pink puffball started to wake up, seeing that he was trapped deep underground with a lake of acid underneath the Final Destination-like stage. It was a replica of Brimstar. The Samus Primary, now coated in electricity like Gandrayda, used a dash attack on Kirby. The single hit sent Kirby falling onto his soft, squishy back.

The captured fighter was merciless in her barrage of attacks, shooting out nothing but bombs and heat-seeking missiles. Kirby could do nothing by this strong force except for using his Stone ability, which made him immobile but gave him super armor for a while. Once the Samus Primary got close enough to grab the pink demon with a grappling plasma whip, Kirby quickly transformed back to normal and sucked up the captured fighter. This allowed Samus' Fighter Spirit to enter into the body of Kirby through the Copy Ability. The pink puffball's mind went dark afterwards, and the bounty hunter took over.

Samus was now inside Kirby's body, and her signature helmet covered the pink demon's body. The possessed pink puffball began firing charged shots and missiles at the Samus Primary. Try as the captured fighter may, she could not manage to jump over the wall of explosives. It wasn't long enough before she shielded to avoid the damage. However, all the damage the projectiles were doing to the shields caused the spherical shield to shrink until it eventually shattered. With the opponent now dizzy, the possessed Kirby walked up to the captured fighter. As though the arm cannon was there regardless of there being a stubby arm, Samus' Fighter Spirit charged up a forward smash and instantly knocked out the Samus Primary.

The Shadow Bugs that had made up the background scattered and surrounded the two fighters. The Gandrayda Spirit, trying to escape from her current vessel, pulled up the blue barrier forged from the Galeem Lock. Kirby aimed carefully with the Spirit Sniper, which was fueled with Samus' real Spirit.


Back near the maze, Bowser, Peach, Pikachu, Lucario, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Fox, Captain Falcon, Mii Swordfighter, Link, Villager, Sheik, and Piranha Plant were struggling against the incoming forces from the corrupted Brawlers and Gunners as well as the Kirby Supporters. Trying to hold them back with powerful punches, kicks, and projectiles, each one of the fighters was backing into the maze's entrance. Clementine noticed there were far too many of them as she kept throwing her Splat Bombs but more kept coming. She quickly grabbed Gilbert and dragged him in for safety.

"Fall back!" Gilbert the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn called out.

"But what about Kirby and Samus!?" Peach asked, pelting the troops with rotting turnips.

"There's no time!" Sheik answered, quickly grabbing Peach by the hip and helping get everyone into the maze. After all the Smashers retreated into the location, the forces sent by Galeem were about to follow them in. However, one possessed Mii Gunner stopped the marching band by throwing a flame onto the ground.

"Forget it, bubs," the corrupted male Gunner spoke. "They won't even last a day in that labyrinth, and we won't bother wasting any more of our people. Let's just leave it to Balder and the Shadow Bug Trigger…" Just like that, the captured Mii Fighters and Kirby Supporters that had survived the onslaught retreated across the light fissure bridge.


Kirby woke up to the celebrating voices of other beings, with fireworks exploding in the sky. As the pink puffball's touched the Smash Ball on his forehead once more, he saw that the streets were familiar… almost like the second time he had experienced the vision when he had rescued the Villager. It was supposedly the city of Civiltatula, though there seemed to be slightly more buildings littered with nests.

The pink alien saw the gathering crowd of dragons of all sorts of species, crowding over the large stump. Kirby had noticed a large curtains made out of stitched leaves behind the stump, and he quickly made it over there since he floated through the dragons like a ghost. When Kirby peaked through, he saw, Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix putting on special armor when all of the other Dragosmos were ready before they came onstage. For Phoenix, he had purple armor with a gelatin-like texture. For Galeem, his neckwear and helmet ranged from neon pink to deep blue, all flowing like through like a spectrum. Ultima was wearing an outfit fit for a warrior princess, with a titanium helmet and a brass chest plate.

Ultima peaked outside, watching as the next contestants for the Dragosmo Solstice participated. There was an irregularity about the contestants since there were actually an uncommon species of conjoined dragons, with the right side of their shared body colored with a fire-red texture and the left side a water-blue. Regardless, this was quite common in the world of dragons as the two-headed Dragosmo finished with a bang of ice and fire.

"You can do this, Ultima," Ultima told herself as the crowd cheered. "This is your chance to prove you're worthy as a defender of Arcus." Galeem then approached her and placed a paw on her back. The spectrum-winged dragoness saw her two brothers behind her.

"Not like you guys would understand since we'll have our butts back in school for another ten years if we screw up since they are technically finals," Ultima answered.

"Hey, stick together till the end, remember?" Galeem asked. "Don't worry. We'll put on a show for them."

"And now," Lord Ceresor spoke out from the front of the stage, guarded by his sons Sozo and Hakai in their armor, "we are ready to announce the last three contestants to do their best and earn the title of Defenders of Arcus. Please give a handout to one of the quieter, but most powerful, Phoenix!" There was nothing but silence from the crowd, and the only people that seemed to cheer for Phoenix were Metallio and Toropikaru. Regardless, the black-armored dragon with violet wings ignored all this.

"I guess this is my cue," Phoenix said, ready to step onto the stage.

"Remember: speak with the heart. Knock them dead out there," Ultima cheered. Phoenix looked back, giving off a small smile as he knew what his sister meant. Once Phoenix walked onto the stage, he instantly knew the past week of training. After taking off into the sky like a bullet, Phoenix began his act.

Phoenix first used his claws to rip a large red "X" in the sky. The black dragon then started breathing out four violet fireballs, which each traveled to different ends of the shape. Once they had exploded, Phoenix coated his wings with electricity and began zipping around. A barrage of purple pellets became suspended in midair as Phoenix gorged many different shapes out of them. For his finishing act of dancing in the skies, Phoenix sent out projectiles of fire, earth, thunder, life, air, water, and magic and combined them into an explosion of spectacle.

After Phoenix landed on the ground, he looked at the crowd to see that they were silent this whole time. There was the occasional cough from someone in the audience, and the only people that cheered him on were the mother and father. It wasn't long until the crowd of dragons began booing and jeering for how terrible he had preformed.

"Boo! You stink!" one dragon called out while throwing an apple core at Phoenix's face. Tears began welling up in the eyes of the black dragon, and he ran back behind the stage, embarrassed. Even if he had friends, Phoenix was somehow a disappointment.

"Sorry for the inconvenience, people of Arcus," Lord Ceresor coughed. "He is still just a rookie."

"A terrible one at that!" another dragon from the audience complained. "He spent ten years in your school's care for this?"

"Let us just…move on and continue to the next contender," Ceresor answered. "Next up is the brother of our recent participant, but hopefully many times better. Here we have Galeem!"

"Wish me luck, sis," Galeem told Ultima, unaware of how heartbroken Phoenix became. The white dragon with blue-and-orange wings walked up onto the stage, and there were already thousands of dragons cheering him.

Galeem first took off into the air, moving through the sky coated in golden flames. He then began creating leaves and flowers out of thin air, with his wings flapping them towards the crowd. He then breathed out an electrical sphere of light that split into four and danced around him. Crystals also materialized out of him, with small flames emitting light out of them. The audience continued cheering for more, and Galeem continued showing off his abilities.

Kirby, as he was watching Galeem's presentation, suddenly noticed a small bubblegum-colored slime that looked nearly identical to the one Joker came across in the Sky Temple, though the pink puffball himself did not know that. The slime watched through a bush behind the stage where no one seemed to notice, but its single slit eye managed to get a good view of Galeem. Only Kirby seemed to pay attention to the slime before turning back on Ultima and Phoenix, simply regarding the hiding slime as one of the out-of-the-norm things he thought was harmless and quite random.

"I can tell things didn't go so smoothly, didn't they?" Ultima asked. Phoenix tried holding in his tears, but the heartbreak he went through only released them as they dropped from his face.

"It is not fair," Phoenix cried. "Why am I the only one to suffer? What did I do to deserve this torment?" As the crowd cheered, Phoenix peeked out from the stitched-leaves curtain to watch Galeem wow pretty much the entire city of Civiltatula with his magic acts.

For a final trick, Galeem rose into the air and did something that was never seen by dragons before. A golden aura of light was glowing right behind the white dragon, and he was levitating without the need of his wings or his Rainbolements. Galeem then opened his eyes, and there was a drastic color in them. Instead of the ordinary red eyes Galeem had all his life now existed fiery orbs with as enough color as the sun itself, gleaming golden with black markings, and a white iris surrounding each of his slit pupils was present. A shockwave blasted through the stage, and Galeem glowed with a beautiful and radiant light, with the crystals he called out before basking the crowd in rainbows.

Phoenix, for the first time, felt something spark up within him. As long as he had watched Galeem woo the crowd of dragons with his impressive new abilities to spark light, Phoenix knew he could not hold that feeling any longer. It was the feeling of jealousy of Galeem's attention, though something was… off. Whatever it was, Phoenix knew this was the last straw.

"Phoenix, don't go up there!" Ultima exclaimed, trying to hold Phoenix back with her Magic Rainbolement telekinesis ability. However, Phoenix's will was too strong to hold onto as he simply shrugged the telekinesis and stormed on stage. Ultima watched from the sidelines as Phoenix waked onto the stump, ignoring the crowd booing that he was in Galeem's spotlight. Ultima quickly ran towards Ceresor and his sons, watching the disarray take place.

Phoenix flew into the sky, gliding up to Galeem's level on the white dragon's right side. For whatever reason, the emotions took over Phoenix's mind and he allowed a darkened storm cloud to form right behind him. The black dragon opened his eyes, and what remained of those purple orbs now shone eyes that gleamed in a moon-blue color with golden irises. The dragons began panicking in fear from the storm cloud, unaware of what was going on.

"I have had just about enough of your tomfoolery!" Phoenix snarled in a harsh voice, pointing his fore claw at his own brother.

"You are ruining my limitless possibilities, Phoenix," Galeem strictly answered. "These people need me."

"They know nothing about how horrible and selfish you are!" Phoenix objected, light violet flames leaking out his mouth. "I am supposed to be the one worthy of holding all the attention, and it is because of your innocence that I always get either abandoned or spat in the face from dragons I do not know!"

"Maybe it is because of your looks, and even they disgust me," Galeem growled, golden flames heating up his mouth. "This world would probably be better without you in it." Ultima could not handle her brothers fighting over the public control, so she quickly flew up to her brothers.

"Galeem! Phoenix! Stop it this instant!" Ultima yelled, watching most of the dragons in the audience flying away.

"It is not my fault I am the one out of place!" Phoenix exclaimed, the dark storm cloud growing behind him. "You may not see it, but you are rigging my life just so you can remain in control!"

"You take that back!" Galeem snarled, the light aura glowing brighter. Ultima knew she couldn't take it anymore, so she tried to force her brothers to stop fighting.

"Stop it right now!" Ultima snapped, conjuring up special energy in her wings. The energy that spiked up appeared in a similar design to Tabuu's wings. However, during Ultima's attack from her wings, Galeem and Phoenix acted in self-defense, and the both of them struck her at the exact same time. The attack similar to Tabuu's Off-Waves preformed by Ultima was already unleashed, knocking Phoenix and Galeem back onto the ground. The dark storm cloud and the light aura had also collided to create an explosion in the air, decorating the blue sky with ashes.

Once the dust had settled, Galeem and Phoenix slowly got back up, realizing their eye color has gone back to normal. Sozo and Hakai had protected their elderly father from the encounter with their scarred wings. Ceresor then ran towards Ultima, who was lying wounded on the ground. The patterns faded from her wings. She was starting to wake up, but her own blood was in her eyes.

"Quickly," Lord Ceresor said. "Remember the powers of the Life Rainbolement." Ultima quickly placed her front paws on her face. Green light flashed from her face, and she stopped bleeding. All that remained were two claw marks struck vertically on her face where her brothers attacked her. On the right side of her face was Phoenix's mark, which gave an eerie violet glow, and the left side was Galeem's mark that was gleaming golden. The crowd members that did not flee yet were terrified by what they had seen.

"Attention, those of you that are still around," Lord Ceresor addressed, pushing a wounded Ultima up. "The Dragosmo Solstice is cancelled this year. We will take care of everything in the meantime…" Kirby, frightened, then looked at the same bush the bubblegum slime was hiding in, watching it retreat back into the forest as fast as possible, vanishing without a trace. The pink puffball's then clenched onto his forehead, in pain. The environment turned white, and the vision was over.


Kirby woke up near the entrance to the maze. The pink puffball was starting to feel himself get tapped by Samus, who quickly brought him back to his senses. The two fighters started looking around and noticed all of the defeated Mii Fighters and Kirby Supporters lying near the maze's entrance, and that none of their friends were nowhere to be found.

"Your buddies probably ran in there," Samus said, pointing towards the entrance. The suited bounty hunter started running towards the techno maze, but she suddenly felt something grab her leg. It was a red Kirby Supporter that snagged onto her leg. It tried to attack and throw her on the ground since it was technically under Galeem's control. As soon as Samus was ready to attack the Supporter, Kirby himself was starting to feel sympathy towards the enemy. The pink puffball quickly ran in front of the Kirby Supporter before Samus could even begin to attack, ready to protect.

"Poyo poyo!" Kirby said, watching the puppet fighter struggle. Because of the attacks that had mortally wounded the other troops, the red Kirby Supporter was ignored and believed to have died. For whatever reason, Kirby sensed a strong connection towards the puppet fighter and wished for it to be spared.

"He's an enemy," Samus said. "That puppet fighter tried to attack me." When the pink demon looked back on the surviving Kirby Supporter, he noticed it was trying to stand up and fight but could not since it was badly wounded. Bleeding cuts and bruises covered the Kirby Supporter, and it was starting to cry from how painful it was. In an act of mercy, Kirby spared the puppet fighter.

"Poyo," Kirby said, lifting up the red Kirby Supporter and placed his stubby arm behind the puppet fighter's back. Samus, though not understanding what Kirby was speaking in his own language, knew what the pink puffball was expressing through gestures. That Kirby Supporter did not want to die unlike any other clone of Galeem's armies, meaning it was nothing more than a coward from the seraph's eyes. The longer Samus stared at Kirby taking sympathy on the puppet fighter, the more she remembered a similar situation when she had to raise the last Metroid on her own.

"Fine," Samus sighed in annoyance. "But don't blame me when that minion kills you in your sleep." The bounty hunter then traveled through the maze, with Kirby helping the puppet fighter stand on its feet. The red Kirby Supporter did not act very trustworthy, and it looked at the pink demon with the glowing-red eyes on every clone in the Army of Light. Regardless, it needed medical help. So Kirby helped the puppet fighter through the maze, hoping to meet up with the other fighters trapped in this techno labyrinth.

Chapter 53: The Techno Maze

Summary:

The fighters get lost in a labyrinth of twists and turns, and they would need to rely on the true of one of Galeem's servants to get out.

Chapter Text

Trapped inside the futuristic maze, the rest of Kirby's friends walked through the strange room. What they had noticed was that it was all just one straight line guided by the blue lines on the top. The path itself also had no ceiling, allowing the team to get a clear view of the sky.

"This is the maze those Mii Fighters were talking about?" Fox asked. "This is gonna be easy to walk through."

"Careful," Link answered, scanning Piranha Plant with his Sheikah Slate. "According to the Piranha Plant's memories, the Forgotten Resistance has traveled through here and, despite what it seems, is constantly changing. Keep your eyes open." Peach, feeling insecure, held Bowser's hand. Even though the Koopa King had kidnapped her multiple times, she knew how much he cared for her and would be trustworthy on multiple occasions. However, she suddenly felt like she was going to trip. Before Bowser was about to tighten his grip, the princess slipped through a turquoise, pixelated portal on the floor that vanished as fast as it appeared.

"Uh oh," Bowser gasped. The other Smashers heard the Koopa King and quickly turned around.

"What do you mean 'uh oh?'" Gilbert asked. Suddenly, the Mii Swordfighter noticed Peach was missing.

"Where's Peach…?" he asked. Before Bowser was about to answer, another pixelated portal of the same color appeared under his feet, warping him away from the group. The other fighters had just noticed that as well. Dr. Mario disappeared first, then Villager vanished too. One by one, each of the fighters were being teleported away from their comrades until they vanished from the room. After what had occurred, the teammates were all in different rooms with several corners.

"Is anyone here!?" Lucario called, sensing his friends trapped in multiple parts of the labyrinth landscape.

"We can hear you," Little Mac said.

"Present," Captain Falcon answered.

"We're going to die in here!" Peach cried.

"Princess!" Fox exclaimed. "No one's going to die! Everyone follow each other's voices and we should meet up at the exit!" The Star Fox mercenary proceeded to continue down the path he was stuck on. The other fighters knew they had to continue walking through the techno maze if they needed to reunite, so they all traveled through the rooms.

Pikachu kept on skipping across the path until he found the Piranha Plant. But when the two teammates ran towards each other, Pikachu was instantly teleported to another room. In another location, Little Mac saw Dr. Mario. The tiny boxer dashed towards the doctor clone before he was teleported to another location. Sheik and the Wii Fit Trainer both saw Lucario, and the Aura Pokémon quickly disappeared via portal as fast as the two female fighters saw him. One by one, each of the Smashers kept running towards each other in different portals, but they all ended up being teleported to different rooms. Those portals appeared on the floor at random. Even if they jumped, they would still be sucked into a room shortly after.

"Guys, let's just give up! We're going nowhere," Gilbert told his friends, hoping they could hear the Mii Swordfighter's message even though they were feet away from him. "This maze has a mind of its own, and it will try to keep us separate at all costs." As soon as the ex-Ultimate Reborn finished, he was instantly teleported to another room.

"We don't have to give up hope," Fox McCloud reassured. "If we're all lucky, we can make it through this…"


At the entrance of the maze, Samus was holding her arm cannon upright, looking around for any sense of danger. Struggling behind the bounty hunter was Kirby, who was busy carrying a red, wounded Supporter clone of himself. The puppet fighter was slowly opening its eyes, those glowing-red orbs trying to make sense of its current environment. It was still set to attack the fighters, but it could not move since its soft body was beaten up senselessly.

"…Poyo," Kirby said to Samus, trying to keep the Kirby Supporter on its toes.

"I know, kid," Samus renowned. "We have to find your friends first. Can anyone hear me?" Much to her surprise, the other fighters could hear her.

"We're trapped in many different rooms, and there are portals that teleport us at random," Peach explained.

"Okay… just stay in your spots, everyone," Samus reassured the teammates. "Once I get over there, I'll get you people out of this place, even if those portals drag me to a random room." Once she finished, another portal appeared below her feet. Seeing the bounty hunter about to disappear, Kirby quickly held the wounded puppet fighter by the arm and jumped into the portal that was about to close. The pink puffball managed to take the Kirby Supporter with him.

Afterwards, Samus and the two Kirbies appeared in a different room, which was much wider than the rest. There was a black roof over the portion of the maze, and blue florescent lights flashed in circles going inwards in the center of the room. Standing in that center was Balder himself. By his side was the Mr. Game & Watch Primary, whose monochromatic outline was tinted in red with the white aura since he did not appear to have eyes.

"You really won't give up on your mission, won't you?" Balder asked.

"Move it," Samus snapped. "We are finding a way out of this maze and there is nothing you can do to stop us."

"Clearly you don't know how this maze thinks unlike the others," Balder answered. "I don't really have time to bore you with lollygagging. So instead I guess I can finish you off. Yes… you, the legendary pink puffball, and the puppet fighter you oh so desired to drag along." The wounded Kirby Supporter glared with its red eyes, still struggling to break free from Kirby's loving grasp.

"Oh yes," Balder chuckled, admiring how that red Supporter came to be on their side. "An interesting decision you mortals have made… I suppose now I'll have to kill you. Take care of the bounty hunter, Duon."

"…Duon?" Samus asked. The bounty hunter saw Shadow Bugs start to flow out of the Mr. Game & Watch Primary. Because of the peculiar properties in the monochromatic being's body, this was possible for him to hold all those Shadow Bugs. As soon as the Shadow Bug clusters formed into a decent size, the shape solidified and showed a two-sided robot whose bodies shared a pair of wheels in the pattern of yin and yang: one body was blue and wielded a sword, and the other was pink and sported an arm cannon.

"Yes. Duon," Balder answered, slowly approaching Kirby and the wounded puppet. The Shadow Bug robot sounded a metallic roar, shaking the ground the other fighters were standing on. The blue side of Duon started slashing with its sword-like appendage, keeping its eye on Samus who was curling up into her ball form. She then started jumping above the swinging blade, kicking powerfully. The bounty hunter quickly grabbed ahold onto the blue head and started using her arm cannon, with flames burning out of the weapon. The pink side of Duon noticed the blue side being attacked, so it took control of their shared wheels and started spinning around rapidly while firing a rain of missiles into the air. Samus quickly jumped out of the way, watching as the conjoined robots were starting to get hurt from their own explosives.

Balder was starting to approach Kirby and the broken Supporter, pulling out a golden sword.

"Shall we make this quick then…?" Balder asked. Kirby did not want to see the puppet fighter get more damaged as it already is, so the pink puffball quickly stood in front of the red clone of himself. Balder began slashing with that sword of his, and Kirby quickly pulled out his mallet, the dull thud clanging against the unnatural metal. Balder the suddenly jumped out of the way and pulled out a magic shield laden with foreign letters, blocking Kirby's flurry punches.

Balder quickly grabbed Kirby and tossed the pink puffball right at his feet, where the Lumen Sage was ready to create a pillar of fire at the alien's feet. Kirby quickly transformed into a rock and avoided the attack, the pillar of fire practically engulfing him. The Lumen Sage then noticed the red Kirby Supporter simply sitting there, wincing in pain. Balder then sent out a blue orb at the puppet fighter, knowing that one of Galeem's troops was a defenseless traitor.

Samus, meanwhile, had started to slip in-between the bodies of the two robots, making an even split with her legs near their shared gears. She began firing a barrage of missiles at the pink side of Duon, being careful of the rain of explosive rockets sent out. They began hitting the conjoined robots, and they both quickly jumped up into the air while spinning around. The blue robot body had its sword out, so it was slashing rapidly at random.

The tip of the blade slashed through Balder's back, providing Kirby a chance to revert back to his cuddly self and whack the Lumen Sage with a burning hammer. The blue orb quickly blasted open with bats flying everywhere though they were of no harm. Kirby managed to knock Balder onto his feet, suddenly noticing Samus curl up into a ball and drop a bomb in-between the two bodies of Duon. Once the bounty hunter jumped out, she quickly avoided the swordplay and missiles of the two-sided robot and watched as the bomb blew up at the shared pair of wheels. Balder quickly turned around to see a body part fall right on top of his chest, crushing the Lumen Sage with its weight even though Shadow Bugs were dissolving from it. Kirby quickly backed up against the wall with the puppet fighter companion. Once the body parts of Duon finished falling, the Shadow Bugs that made up the robot quickly retreated. The only thing they left behind was the unconscious body of Mr. Game & Watch. The wings of the Galeem Lock shattered into the white mist, and the Master Legendary Spirit of Duon appeared.

Samus ran towards the red Kirby Supporter, trying to ease its wounds. Kirby instead felt the Spirit and the white mist enter his body. His round shape stiffened again, his eyes glowed white, and he was ready for yet another vision.


Kirby tapped the Smash Ball on his forehead, having to deal with the golden eyes and rainbow aura he had again. The pink puffball stood up to see a large temple decorated with the golden faces of dragons, complete with pictures of the seven Rainbolements imprinted in the gold. The building itself was aloft a floating island, which Kirby was standing on. He was at the Sky Temple.

The blushing alien walked through the walls, ending up at the throne room. Sitting in the throne with his sons Sozo and Hakai both at his sides was Lord Ceresor, and at his feet were Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix.

"Children," Ceresor sighed, "I am most disappointed in you. One of the major rules to truly becoming a Dragosmo is to behave how humans used to coexist with others of their kind."

"Your Majesty, please," Ultima objected. "It wasn't all my fault. I was trying to stop my brothers from fighting. I don't know why they snapped…"

"He is nothing more than a selfish warrior that is making my life miserable merely for just existing!" Phoenix growled.

"I had my moment of glory and you had to push me aside," Galeem snapped, glaring at his own brother. "I now realize Phoenix is a taint in this world, and it's my job to purge him out of it!"

"Both of you, STOP!" Ultima roared, getting between her brothers.

"That's enough!" Lord Ceresor huffed. The three Dragosmos went back to their places and heard what he had to say.

"Regardless of who's at fault here, you are all being punished," Ceresor answered. "You all broke a rule that is not allowed to be broken, and that no Dragosmo is allowed to fight one another depending on the situation. You broke each other's trust and have gotten to the point where you have been unforgiven by anyone. I guess it is my job that I banish you from the Sky Temple."

"For… how long!?" Ultima asked, starting to cry.

"I really don't know," Ceresor answered with a sigh. "There was major damage that occurred at the Dragosmo Solstice, and we had to cancel it to avoid riots. And it would be best if you three were gone so that one of you was not responsible for a major threat. I'm sorry…" Without a word of objection, the three dragons were walking out the main door. Galeem and Phoenix had already left the Sky Temple, and Ultima looked back at Ceresor with tears. She was just about to depart before Ceresor stopped her.

"Ultima…?" Ceresor asked with a kind and loving voice. Ultima, rather confused, turned around. "Do not leave just yet. I have a special mission for you."

"Special?" Ultima wondered. "But… I thought I was kicked out to avoid further disarray." Ceresor simply chuckled at that statement, and he walked off his throne.

"I knew how brave your heart was when you stood up for your brothers," Ceresor answered. "Ever since you were a child, I had admired how special you were. That you were destined for something more than breaking Galeem and Phoenix apart from a fight mainly because of how different they are. Come with me." The elderly dragon walked off from his throne and walked behind it, going through the curtains. Ultima followed behind him, curious as to where he was leading her. She looked at Sozo and Hakai, who were simply standing in their positions, before going behind the throne. Kirby walked through the same curtains and watched as Ceresor was leading Ultima through some sort of museum.

"This is an arthouse of all of the ancient relics our ancestors have uncovered from their fossilized beds, preserved in stunning detail," Ceresor told her. "Most of the technology we had adapted from the humans helped us benefit for survival and gain more intelligence." As Ultima looked around, she saw devices clearly out of the date she lived in. She saw phones, computers, video game consoles, non-electronic utensils, and automobiles that were not on pedestals unlike the other artifacts.

"Be careful what you touch," Lord Ceresor addressed. Ultima looked closely at the strange relics, admiring the machinery that she had never seen before. The dragoness walked up next to Ceresor.

"Your Majesty… what are humans?" Ultima asked.

"Humans were the first of many intelligent species to exist in Arcus," Ceresor answered. "During their reign, they called this planet Earth or Terra in their own ancient tongue. Long after humans were wiped out from this universe, there were many more species that had grown intelligent, eventually ending up with dragons that had placed their mark as top of the food chain. There is something I need to show you." Ceresor stopped in front of an elevator and opened the golden fence, allowing both Ultima and himself to walk in. Once Ceresor closed the door, the elevator descended deeper into the floating island. Once the elevator stopped, Ceresor and Ultima walked out one at a time.

Ultima was amazed by what she saw: statues. As Kirby had noticed, they were not any ordinary statues. They were in fact memorials of all his friends – Mario, Link, Marth, Snake, and everyone else including himself. Surprisingly, there were no statues of the Piranha Plant, Joker, and whoever else was originally part of the Forgotten Resistance five years ago.

"These are the warriors that came from many dimensions," Ceresor instructed. "When they had arrived here, whether they were working for good or evil, they had managed to work together and balance their worlds and ours between darkness and light. Despite their differences, they worked together in times of need. When the day came for them to rest, they arrived here in Arcus, finally having the change of heart to meet up with the Almighty Father in the Great Beyond."

"The… Almighty Father?" Ultima asked.

"Ever since humans have walked this planet, they all believed in only one being greater than them," Ceresor continued, walking to the end of the room. "When they could not decide on who to call Him, they went with the Almighty Father. Scriptures have told He loved humanity so much that He sent His only Son to die for their sins, Only few have known of the Almighty Father's existence mainly because everyone else have forgotten the religion long ago."

"So… why did you bring me here?" Ultima asked.

"To show you one of the many gifts the Almighty Father had bestowed upon the warriors before they went to their eternal rest," Ceresor answered. After the two dragons stopped walking, Ultima looked atop a structure in the form of a golden tree. There were diamond leaves gracing its branches, and the topmost leaves curved into a circle. The curving branches were flattened out so that description etched in the gold read "In hoc signo vinces". Entwined in those twigs was a bright orb glowing a pure white, with red fire, orange rocks, yellow lightning, green leaves, blue wind, indigo water, and violet magic swirling around it in the form of a multicolored storm.

"Those gifts are the Smash Balls, hidden in the hearts of these statues," Ceresor replied. "And in that tree is their source of ultimate power: the Heart of the First Star. When these warriors have died, their souls were transformed into Smash Balls harnessed by the power of the Heart of the First Star. This star's core, according to its name, was the first star to exist in the entire multiverse. Its power allows it to conjure up unspeakable power that can change our lives as we know it. Its true name is Adstrumlestibus, but we had translated it with our tongue to Fantasia. This star also has the ability to allow those to see through the past and learn of the memories of the warriors of old." Placing his forehead on the golden bark of the tree, Lord Ceresor used his abilities to bend the tree down to the floating island's ground level. Ultima slowly walked towards the Heart of the First Star, admired at how the colors spun around this strange bauble.

Pressing her palm against the glasslike surface, Ultima felt a spark of energy burst inside her. Her golden eyes started flashing multiple colors, and the memories of Kirby's friends wrapped around her. The pink puffball fully saw the life-changing adventures his teammates went on, and he even saw his own. Because Kirby was also an amnesiac for a while, he suddenly remembered who he was when he looked through the memories shining before him. Ultima was looking through all those memories too, panting as she saw all of it. Once she removed her hand from Adstrumlestibus, Ultima dropped to the ground. She looked at her mentor.

"…It was like I was with them," Ultima said.

"The stars can tell us tales that had happened since the dawn of time," Ceresor explained. "The lifespan of any intelligent species is only a mere blink for these celestial beings, so they can memorize everything that has ever happened to us. There is also a tale that the stars can survive the corruption of pure insanity, and the Smash Balls can protect those who wield it."

"There is also a chance that one being can summon all those warriors into our greatest time of need, their souls transferred into those exact vessels for their protection in new and different environments," Ceresor continued with a little smile on his face. "I hope that being turns out to be you." The Lord of the Arcus Dragons then started walking off to the right, heading to an exit with raggedy curtains draped over it.

"Follow me, child," Lord Ceresor finished. "There is a mission that involves you, me, and my sons." Ultima followed the elderly dragon through the exit. Kirby then started stiffening in pain as the Smash Ball on his forehead glowed bright. Once the area glowed white again, the pink puffball was transported back to Gallia.


Kirby was starting to wake up, with the red Kirby Supporter tapping the pink puffball's cuddly face. Even though the puppet fighter was wounded, it still had enough energy to stir Kirby back into conscious.

"Finally you're up," Samus said. "I was starting to worry about you. I even recruited another friend in our little group." Familiar beeping noises that served as the sound effects for footsteps approached Kirby. I was Mr. Game & Watch, free from Galeem's control and moving as clunky as ever. Kirby, glad that the monochromatic fighter was back, hugged Mr. Game & Watch tightly. The red puppet fighter shuffled to the pink puffball, starting to recover from its wounds.

"Let's go now," Samus spoke through her helmet. The three Smashers and their puppet companion were then walking away.

"…Wait…" Balder groaned, his pale hand reaching out to the small group. "Please let me help you get out of here…"

"What makes you sure we can trust you?" Samus asked, pointing her arm cannon at the Lumen Sage.

"I was the one under control of this maze," Balder answered. "After fighting against you, I see now that everyone just wants to be free. Allow me to at least make it up to you." With a snap of his fingers, Balder teleported Bowser, Piranha Plant, Peach, Villager, Pikachu, Sheik, Lucario, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, Mii Swordfighter, Jigglypuff, Link, Inkling, Fox, Little Mac, Dr. Mario, and Will Fit Trainer all into the same room that Kirby, Samus, Mr. Game & Watch, and the puppet fighter were standing in. A glowing-blue path then appeared below the reunited team, leading out of the dark room.

"Follow the path and do not stray from it," Balder said. "You will find a way out. Just go before Galeem finds out." Not having enough time to give thanks, all of the fighters started following the light path out of the maze. Kirby was helping the Supporter walk out by having it stand up.

"You are a brave boy to help one of our clones out like that," Balder said. Kirby and his Supporter looked back at Balder with smiles, and the both of them left the room as quickly as possible. The Lumen Sage then got up, brushing his peacock-feathered coat. He suddenly started getting a splitting headache caused by Galeem.

"You have broke your trust," the Lord of Light snarled through a voice inside the Lumen Sage's head. "Head back to the Galeem Void NOW!" Without a sudden thought, another green, pixelated portal teleported Balder out of the maze and into the darkness of the Galeem Void. The Lumen Sage looked up at Galeem sitting on his crystal throne, the structure reflecting beams of light about as bright as the sun in his face.

"Do I even have to explain what happens next now that you have betrayed me?" Galeem growled, summoning a non-Arcadian Master Hand to his side. The Seraph of Order transformed into a black hole, with the blue essence from that Master Hand funneling into the black hole. A golden laser was shot out, disintegrating Balder's body completely. Now he was left glowing as a Master Ace Spirit. The Master Hand then called forth its fraternal, the Crazy Hand, and the both of them ripped a hole into space. The glowing-yellow Lumen Sage was being sucked into the Dark Dimension, never to see the World of Light again.

Galeem, starting to feel defeated, slumped back onto his throne. Flowey had managed to arrive in time. The Seraph of Order quickly descended towards the monster flower.

"You are my last chance," Galeem snapped. "You better not screw this up! You better not betray me, leave the Super Smash Brothers to live no matter how innocent-looking, and you will help that Rathalos to succeed and not break the Northern Barrier."

"I won't let you down, boss," Flowey answered. "And besides… I'm a little knack for starting up some trouble…" The flower vanished without a trace. Galeem flew back to his throne, his glowing-white hands tapping against the crystals in annoyance.

"You are growing afraid, my lord," Tabuu addressed, watching as the Seraph of Order was starting to become rather paranoid.

"I had kept this planet in order for five years," Galeem answered. "I will not let it fall into darkness, especially when one of our soldiers is wounded and is currently under the care of our greatest enemies…"


In the Dark Dimension, Balder saw that he was floating around in a pitch-black world. Since he was a Lumen Sage, he harnessed the light inside him to see the dimension he was trapped in. Suddenly, King Bulbin and the Werewolf grabbed him.

"Don't shine one spark of light here!" the Werewolf snapped, afraid.

"The ruler of this place wants to drown out whatever light is here!" King Bulbin addressed. "He's always watching us…"

"Watching us? Who?" Balder asked. Just then, the raspy laughter echoed throughout the dimension, with the pale blue eye appearing out of nowhere.

"Hello, friend," the eye said, his golden iris surrounding his slit pupil. "I take it you are a guardian of the light. You know how afraid I am of the light…"

"And what are you going to do about it?" Balder asked, pulling out a fan of golden peacock-feather daggers.

"Why… just wait and see," the eye answered. From the eye's piercing glow, tentacle-like appendages slithered out below the Lumen Sage's feet. The tentacles themselves were spiky at the ends, with black tendrils wrapping around them. They glowed purple at the bases and a neon pink at the tips. One of the tentacles pierced through the Master Ace Spirit's chest, delivering something not felt by Galeem before: pain. Balder gasped as more of the appendages went through his arms and legs, keeping him in a cross position.

"Who in the name of God are you!?" Balder winced. The eye simply chuckled quietly in response.

"Why… that is for the Super Smash Brothers to find out," the eye answered, glowing brighter as it got closer to the Lumen Sage. "Let us just say that… Galeem will be very happy to see me."

Chapter 54: An Unforgettable Inception

Summary:

Inside Kirby's visions, the pink puffball slowly starts to learn about a mysterious guest appearing in Faker's memories.

Chapter Text

The group of fighters exited through the techno maze, looking out into the bright sun once more. What they saw on their right was a seaside town, with the graffiti roads decorated with seashells and aquatic animals. Houses molded out of clay were laid out across the beachside. There were more Spirits inhabiting the seaside town.

Kirby looked out into the ocean, noticing how blue it was. Not even the oceans on his home, Planet Popstar, were as beautiful as those bodies of water. The red Supporter that he picked up started trembling, beginning to lose its Shadow Bug fluids like blood. Kirby quickly noticed the puppet fighter was starting to die and tried to keep it on its toes as long as possible.

"I'll take care of him," Dr. Mario told Kirby, carrying the wounded Kirby Supporter. "I'll take him to the nearest hospital around here." As the prescriber walked to the nearest hospital he spotted, Kirby ran towards him.

"Poyo poyo poyo," Kirby said, tugging on Dr. Mario's white lab coat. As the doctor noticed, he saw how much the pink puffball cared about the puppet fighter. For whatever reason, he was worried about its safety as much as his friends'.

"Alright, you can come with me," Dr. Mario said, holding onto Kirby's stubby hand. "The rest of you search the town for supplies. We pretty much need them for this journey." Once both Dr. Mario and Kirby walked towards the hospital with the resting Kirby Supporter, the other fighters took a look around the seaside location.

Throughout the graffiti streets, the team looked around for whatever they could find in various markets that opened on the streets. Spirits in different booths were selling exotic fruits while others were giving out survival kits, even though the fighters have already known how to survive in the wilderness. They haven't eaten in days, and the first thing to get was some grub. Peach, being the confident damsel that she is, ran towards a nearby booth. There was the addictive scent of juicy, sizzling meat, and all sorts of salads and desserts were mixed with the aroma. Serving the delicious foods was Chef Kawasaki, who was only a Normal Ace Spirit. He was simply cooking and baking multiple delicacies when he noticed the traveling group of fighters standing right in front of the market booth.

"Excuse me, but… may I ask what you have here?" Peach asked. The chef was surprised by what he saw: the fighters were the only ones that had physical bodies, and most of them were rescued from Galeem.

"Why, I thought I would never see the day when a team of our bravest warriors would go up against the Lord of Light and free us all!" Chef Kawasaki cried with joy. "How can I help you, heroes?"

"We're going to be gathering supplies for the long journey ahead," Link answered. "Can you help us stock up?"

"Of course," Chef Kawasaki answered, trying to organize his finished meals. "I had never been so happy ever since I was rescued from the body of a PAC-MAN Supporter."

"Wait-wait-wait," Fox answered. "You're saying you were rescued? By whom?"

"The stranger simply came and went, leaving no trace of his… or her… belongings," Chef Kawasaki answered. "Coincidentally, I think the stranger was probably like you guys with the physical form and everything." Suddenly, the oven timer started ringing.

"Excuse me one sec," Chef Kawasaki chuckled nervously. "I've got a Geothermal Pizza baking. Won't take long." As soon as the glowing-yellow Spirit was getting the pizza out, this gave the fighters enough time to talk about the mysterious guest on this side of the island.

"Did you hear that creature probably from Kirby's world talk about how there could be a fighter on this side of the land?" Link asked.

"We're all here in the same spot, Champion of Hyrule," Sheik answered. "If what the Spirit said is true, then there could really be a fighter like Piranha Plant that had also survived Galeem's attack."

"Who knows?" the Mii Swordfighter asked. "We did find out there are six survivors in Gallia, and we have a Piranha Plant as one of them. How crazy is it that there is someone out there trying to go back the way we came in?" After Chef Kawasaki pulled out the Geothermal Pizza, which was piping hot and covered with pepperoni and black olive toppings, and set it to cool on the booth's counter, the fighters stopped talking and continued with the getting food plan.

"So, which of these items are you interested by?" the Chef Kawasaki Spirit asked. "Roast Griffin? Tenderized Tartare? Maybe even some Hobgob Doughnuts or Sharp Stew? At my booth, I cook up the best delicacies only from Miitopia, and all grubs come in three rarities: Common, Rare, and Very Rare. Ranked from lowest to highest, these three rarities can boost your stats slightly or greatly, and the Very Rare meals are the best ones."

"Geeze, it's hard to decide," Samus said, tapping the chin of her helmet. "I suppose we'll take one of everything."

"Excellent choice!" Chef Kawasaki cheered. "The Kawasaki Buffet is the best deal, and no one can resist the temptation to buy all of these delicious treats. Just note it is a little pricey, with the Common grub rounding in at 100 Spirit Points, the Rare at 250, and Very Rare at 500. All in all your total price would be rounded up to… 57,700 Spirit Points."

"…Spirit Points?" Sheik asked. "Wait a minute. I don't know if we've been listening, but are they what you call currency? Even then, I doubt we have any kind of money at the moment…"

"I understand," the Chef Kawasaki Spirit responded. "However, I simply can't give away this stuff for free, y'know. Just know I'm at least generous enough to hold onto your order until you pay me those Spirit Points…" The fighters nodded, walking a foot away from the Miitopian grub booth.

"How are we gonna get all that food?" Lucario asked. "We don't have any money with us and we haven't eaten in days…"

"Don't worry," Peach said. "I'm sure we'll find a way…" When Mr. Game & Watch turned around to his left, the busy number of Spirits in the market stopped talking and looked in the direction that the monochromatic fighter was looking at. A little scared, Mr. Game & Watch tapped Bowser's hard shell.

"What do you want, pipsqueak?" Bowser asked, turning around and looking down at Mr. Game & Watch.

"Who are those strangers?" one Spirit asked.

"Oh no," another Spirit exclaimed. "It's a Primary team!" The group of fighters quickly turned around to see what appeared to be the captured Pokémon Trainer. His three Pokémon Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard were all out from their Pokéballs. They were each represented by a 3-in-1 Master Legendary Spirit: Articuno for Squirtle, Zapdos for Ivysaur, and Moltres for Charizard. The Pokémon Trainer himself was all three of them, but the three bird Pokémon had individual powers that were passed onto each of the Pokémon.

"Do you think they see us?" Bowser asked, ready to claw the Pokémon Trainer Primary. The Pokémon Trainer Primary pointed at the fighters, and the three possessed Pokémon began shooting out water blasts, explosive seeds, and fire bursts.

"…Yep," Fox answered. Before the array of the water, grass, and fire-type attacks reached the fighters, Fox McCloud quickly jumped in front of them and quickly pulled out his reflector, barricading the attacks. As Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle raced towards the team, Pikachu and Lucario quickly ran out and started attacking. Lucario used his aura abilities to leech combos onto the three Pokémon at once while Pikachu constantly used Quick Attack and Skull Bash. All the while, the Spirits in the market began fleeing from the scene, hoping they too wouldn't get captured again.

"You better defeat that Primary as fast as possible!" the Normal Ace-class Spirit of Chef Kawasaki exclaimed, ducking under his booth without attending to his Miitopian grubs. "I hear you can net up strong rewards if you defeat one…"

"Why haven't we thought about this before!?" Fox asked, liking the idea of defeating enemies for cash all while he was shooting his blaster. "Come on, guys! We've got some of those Spirit Points to nab!" Piranha Plant, Sheik, Inkling, Jigglypuff, Little Mac, Yoshi, and the rest of the gang ran towards the 3-in-1 fighter.

"We've gotta aim for Red himself!" Bowser called out, blocking Charizard's tail. "If we break the rules and hit the Trainer, then it's over for the Primary team!"

"This is gonna be a bit of a problem, by the way!" Lucario said, counter-attacking Squirtle's spinning shell. Villager was trying to plant trees and water them so he could chop one down, but Ivysaur's rapid-fire seeds were strong enough to hit back at the Smashville mayor. As Villager got up amidst all the chaos, he noticed despite the big number on their team that the three Pokémon were faster and stronger at defending the Pokémon Trainer Primary mainly because they were all possessed by Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres.

Running off, the Villager looked around for Dr. Mario, Kirby, and the Supporter that joined their team through sheer luck, believing they were in some sort of hospital.

Meanwhile, inside a building, Dr. Mario was carefully observing the red Kirby Supporter, who was already patched up and cleaned. He checked through a clipboard of the test results, and Kirby himself was starting to feel worried.

"Well-a, goods news is-a that our little puppet fighter will be alright," Dr. Mario said. "All he needed was a little bit of fixing. Bad news is that this Supporter will survive until its original source has been destroyed. These Kirby Supporters are stronger and more obedient toward Galeem than the other Supporters, but once their cloning machine is gone, they're all erased from existence regarding health." The pink puffball looked down in a bit of sadness, knowing he would miss his Supporter terribly if that cloning machine was destroyed. But he supposes that was for the best since the Seraph of Order needed to be stopped. Dr. Mario patted Kirby's head, reassuring the alien without words that everything will be fine. Then, Villager ran in with a panicked expression on his face. He managed to find the two fighters and the Supporter, waving his arms around and sweat dripping from his face.

"What is it, buddy?" Dr. Mario asked. The Villager simply pointed outside, still frightened. Even though the Villager could not even speak a word, Dr. Mario and Kirby both knew that a fight was going on outside.

"Let's-a go," Dr. Mario said, running to the ground floor of the hospital with Villager. Kirby puffed up and floated to the patient's bed where his Supporter was sitting. The pink puffball sat down next to the red-eyed puppet fighter, taking a good look at the patched-up wounds. There was still some of that Shadow Bug ooze leaking through the bandages, but that was just about it.

"Kirby! Take that Supporter with-a you and head outside!" Dr. Mario called out from downstairs. Kirby quickly jumped down and carefully lifted the Kirby Supporter to the ground. Once the four went outside, they saw Link, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Sheik, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Inkling, Piranha Plant, and Mii Swordfighter all trying to go after the Pokémon Trainer Primary while trying to fight off his strong, super-speedy Pokémon trio. Dr. Mario, Kirby, and Villager all ran towards Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle. They tried distracting the three captured Pokémon while the red Kirby Supporter ran towards the Pokémon Trainer Primary. The Primary team knew that the puppet fighter would never attack them and only left the fighting to the reawakened Smashers.

"Deliver the blow!" Samus called out to the Supporter, knowing the puppet fighter was approaching the Pokémon Trainer Primary. The fighters had managed to diverse Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle long enough for the Kirby Supporter to pull out a hammer. It wasn't long before the Primary knew what was going on before the patched-up puppet pulled out a hammer and swung it at the captured fighter.

Once the Pokémon Trainer Primary was defeated, Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur all retreated back into their individual Pokéballs. A bright light engulfed the Trainer, not having the chance to summon its little roulette minigame. The wings of the Galeem Lock shattered, and they transformed into the white mist with the combined Master Legendary Spirits of Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres mixed with the foggy essence. The other fighters stepped back and watched as Kirby absorbed the mist again, stiffening with white eyes again.


The pink demon was back where he left off, during the time when Lord Ceresor allowed Ultima to follow him. As Kirby looked around, he saw nothing but a large, wooden dock in front of him. Standing at the edge was the Lord of the Arcus Dragons, and Ultima himself was by his side. They both looked off into the distance and saw Sozo and Hakai flying off into the sun.

"Where are they going?" Ultima asked.

"They are heading off to a land far away from our own," Lord Ceresor answered. "A place where we are heading too. You have come this far. With your skills and courage, you can help me with this mission."

"I… don't even know what is so special that I was chosen for this job," Ultima objected.

"I can tell you are new here," Ceresor chuckled. "Tell me, child… have you heard anything about a pit called Ginnungagap?" Ultima simply shook her head, having no comment on it.

"Legends say that this pit was founded by the Fire Demons and Ice Giants of old, uncovered ages ago," Ceresor answered. "The fire and ice have been locked in eternal turmoil, swirling down into the bottom. Inside the ice, the fire sparked life within, giving them new forms. They became known as the Mii Fighters, a species as intelligent as our own but evolving the closest to humans. However, there was also ice that created life within the fire, and they are known as the Shadow Bugs – creatures made out of tiny ones in different shapes and functions. In Ginnungagap, the fire represents the light and the ice represents the darkness. Their hearts were no different, so the two species have been at war ever since, with the Mii Fighters at the rink of the gap winning time and time again.

"The Shadow Bugs themselves are pushed to the bottom of the pit, but they have a means of revenge. Just recently, they had undiscovered a prehistoric beast sealed away in permafrost millions of years ago, which was believed to have been extinct. They planned on controlling this beast and finally using it to destroy the Mii Fighters for good. It is our mission to stop the Shadow Bugs from taking over and spreading throughout Arcus. Now is our chance to fly off into the skies and defeat the creature that the Shadow Bugs of darkness had uncovered." Just like that, Ceresor jumped off from the wooden dock and took off into the sunrise, and Ultima followed him into the sky. The two warriors soared through the air as fast as they could, having no recollection of how long they had been flying. Kirby himself was simply standing on nothing, watching as both the black-armored dragoness and the Lord of Arcus flew to their destination.


As though the visions were on a time lapse, Kirby noticed that hours had passed. Both Ceresor and Ultima were already at the place where Hakai and Sozo hoped they would meet up with them. The pink demon gazed upon another gorgeous land: a massive pit that stretched a few miles across its radius, with large forests decorating its edges. There was nothing but darkness found within the bottom of the pit, with fire and ice glowing down below.

Ultima and Ceresor landed down on the ground beside the pit. What they saw was a steampunk-styled city laced with flora and fauna. The technology itself was dated for our current time, but it was somehow also far more advanced at the same time. Sozo and Hakai managed to meet up with their father and best Dragosmo student.

"We're here, father," Sozo said. The four dragons looked back upon the strange city, watching the early Mii Fighters walk out of their homes onto the streets. Each of the Brawlers, Swordfighters, and Gunners were tweaked a bit to mimic this peculiar style they chose, like the Brawlers had suits of squeaking iron, the Swordfighters were suited up in formal clothing and had sabers, and the Gunners looked like grease monkeys and wielded manually-controlled steampunk arm cannons. The children that were clearly not ready to fight yet were dressed up in peasant outfits, some even crying over the fact that they are caught in a never-ending war against the Shadow Bugs. Emerging from the crowd were the Ultimates of Arcus, looking as bland as the previous Ultimates fifteen years ago. The Brawler had stones for fists, the Swordfighter balanced a long leaf as a tool to swing with, and the Gunner fueled her wooden log cannon with some sort of strange magic.

"Welcome to Ginnungagap, the Pit of Ice and Fire," the Brawler Ultimate of Arcus spoke.

"We have heard your cry for help," Lord Ceresor answered. "We arrived as quickly as possible."

"Thank you so much for answering our call," the Gunner Ultimate of Arcus responded. The three Mii Fighters turned to their people, raising their hands up high.

"Behold! Standing before you all are the most intelligent creatures closest to us: the dragons!" the Swordfighter Ultimate of Arcus addressed. "Let us celebrate with a feast in honor of these brave warriors should we go out to die!" All of the Mii Fighters in the city cheered, knowing that the Dragosmos were here with them.

During the party at the central hall, most of the Mii Fighters, including their Ultimates, sat down and hosted a banquet at a table that circled around a rather large fountain. Some of the other Miis were hanging out, serving appetites, and even guarding outside. As Kirby looked around, he saw the meals that were presented on the plate. With so many choices, the pink puffball could not resist. He tried inhaling the dishes, but then figured out he could not interact with anything in these memories of the past. He knew that Faker's amnesia could be tied to these events in the past and the stone he swallowed. Nonetheless, he continued to watch as the dragons seated themselves next to the Mii Fighters.

The dragons in comparison, while sitting down, were twice as tall as a Mii Fighter. Ceresor looked down upon the Ultimates, wondering what they have to say.

"Did you know we're actually the very first Mii Fighters born here?" the Brawler Ultimate asked Ultima.

"I had no idea," Ultima gleefully answered. "Your town is just so fascinating! While I was going through change, I only grew up in Civiltatula and traveled through the solar system for ten years, so I didn't have time to study the history of Arcus…"

"That's true," the Brawler Ultimate continued. "By the way, my name is Sieg, the Swordfighter's name is Gilbert, and the Gunner's name is Sherry. Outsiders call us the Ultimates since we are seen as leaders. It… kinda goes with the whole 'ultimate' thing… Anyway, what brings you here?"

"Nothing," Ultima answered with no comment in her voice. "I was… simply a tagalong. No one special."

"I see," Sieg remarked. The Brawler Ultimate leaned in close to her, almost as if he wanted to give her into a secret.

"I can see you're really special," Sieg said. "You may not know it, but one day you'll grow up in ways you can possibly imagine. They'll turn for the greater good, and I even see a potential queen. What do I know? It's wishful thinking after all. My point is… everyone has a little bit of light and darkness in them, but a true hero balances them both without one side overwhelming the other. All you need is a choice on what to do with it. Will you act for the greater good of balance or give in to either the light or the darkness? We all know the darkness is obviously symbolic for evil, but sometimes the light isn't as hopeful as you would think…" Suddenly, a tray of dishes shattered in the background, distracting the Brawler Ultimate of Arcus.

"Nice talking with you," Sieg said before excusing himself from the table. Ultima looked back on Lord Ceresor, who was already heading outside to one of the balconies. His calm expression was enough for the dragoness to walk towards him and join the Lord of Arcus outside.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Lord Ceresor asked, looking out into the night sky, watching as the moon was waning into a crescent.

"Yeah," Ultima sighed. "It's a shame my brothers aren't here to enjoy this moment with me…"

"Maybe it's for the best," Lord Ceresor answered. "After all, they could probably be home spending time with their family." Ultima looked out into the stars, letting the pause of the wind linger for a while before she asked him a question.

"Is it true?" Ultima asked. "That Dragosmos can be so powerful they can create universes?"

"My great-grandfather was the leader of the first dragons," Lord Ceresor answered. "Back when our species gained intelligence and walked this planet, any creature capable of sentience was long gone and the world was void of life. He used the powers of the stones and created Arcus as you see it today. Yes, my child. It is possible for a Dragosmo to become powerful enough to spark up a new universe. You know there are more stones than the ones that gave us our powers. Here in Ginnungagap, both species that reside here have uncovered powerful jewels. The Mii Fighters hold possession of the Light of Helio while the Shadow Bugs have control over the Darkness of Hycto. Legends have told of two seraphim who have balanced the multiverse for eons. However, they fell under the corruption of an ancient evil and had been sealed away in their counterpart prisons, their powers passing onto those worthy enough to wield the powers of light and darkness. Their greatest students have also been given these powers when the teachers are too weak both physically and spiritually."

"Do you mind telling me who or what turned them against each other?" Ultima asked, curious about the topic Lord Ceresor was talking about.

"I am, of course, referring to an… ancient goddess who saw us as… stains in her eyes," Lord Ceresor answered. "Her bloodshot, weeping eyes." Ultima then suddenly remembered the nightmare that she had years ago, when a golden-haired deity had sworn to destroy everything appeared in her flashbacks. Thankfully, Ceresor can read her mind.

"I see you know who I am talking about," Ceresor reassured Ultima, looking at her terrified face. "The Goddess of Insanity is still around. She may be weakened, but she is always watching, waiting for the perfect moment to strike her enemies. Her mind will reach into someone else's and find the tools that will bring her back to existence once more. Once she gets her way, there will be nothing to stop her. Not even our Rainbolements can protect us by then."

"So is there no way to stop this threat, whatever she is?" Ultima asked.

"Like I said, you can summon the warriors of the past to defend us from the upcoming threat," Lord Ceresor answered. "How you can summon them is entirely up to you. Just remember that they will be brought here to defeat the goddess for only they are immune to her true powers. We are safe for now, but her threats are rising at a steady pace. You will have to be careful…" Ultima willfully nodded, knowing she will face her destiny one day. When Kirby walked closer to the two dragons, he passed through them and looked out onto the land, seeing the Pit of Fire and Ice glow in the distance. At the edge, the pink puffball was the only one to notice a mysterious shadowy figure standing near the edge as Ultima and the Lord of Arcus were looking out into the stars.

Kirby saw that the figure was in a black mist, with the red sclera and green eyes with slit pupils. In its crystalline hands was the bubblegum slime with the single eye from before, resting in the figure's palms.

"Father!" Sozo called out to Lord Ceresor. "Hakai has gotten drunk on red wine again and needs your assistance."

"I'll be there in a minute," Lord Ceresor answered. He then reentered inside the central hall, leaving Ultima outside the balcony. Kirby looked back at the rink of Ginnungagap, noticing the figure was still there. The black-armored dragoness had just now noticed. In her eyes, she saw the mysterious entity simply staring back at her. Driven out of curiosity, Ultima flew off from the balcony with Kirby quickly inhaling air and floating behind her.

After Ultima landed in front of the strange figure, the wind pushed back against her wings flowed through her, and the black mist floated away like dust. Kirby then landed, watching the dragoness look around the waning crescent moonlight.

"Ultima…" a strange voice called out. The male voice sounded rather calm and uncomfortably normal, making Ultima tremble a bit. When see turned around again, the figure was feet away from her. He was holding the pink slime in his hands, and the blob looked at the dragoness with its light-green eye.

"I understand that you have problems with your brothers," the black mist spoke with the voice. As he slowly moved closer towards Ultima, Kirby had picked up that the stranger was levitating inches off the ground.

"Listen: I am only here just to see what you're up to," Ultima answered. "You better tell me your name and describe what your motives are." However, the black mist simply laughed in response.

"Must you really know my name?" the stranger responded, inching closer towards the Dragosmo. "I'm afraid I cannot tell you, but you can call me… your little companion."

"And what do you know about my brothers?" Ultima asked.

"I know a lot about you, Ultima," the black mist answered, his green slit eyes flashing in an unnatural light. "I have seen things. Lots of things." The bubblegum slime moved up one of his crystalline arms, slipping through his fingers. Ultima then started getting flashbacks again from her nightmare, watching a similar color like that slime be cried out from the goddess' eyes. She then shook that thought away and saw the slime shift into a different shape: one that depicts two dragons fighting. They both looked similar to Phoenix and Galeem.

"I can see through time, and I know of your fate," the black mist continued. "One brother will become selfish and demand all will follow his rule of perfection, and the other will hide in the shadows alone and turn jealous of the former." The bubblegum slime then turned back into its pulp form, slithering into the stranger's hand again.

"If you wish to avoid this fate, I suggest you join my side," the black mist added. "I will give you whatever you want: praise from the other dragons, a reunited family, unlimited power. You can have both love and wealth. What good is it having one over the other when you can have both?" The black mist stopped right in front of Ultima, holding out his crystalline hand. The slime covered the whole appendage up, only exposing the sharp fingertips. Ultima slowly lifted up her front claw before she stopped.

"This… this doesn't feel right," Ultima objected, looking away. "What good is your lifelong goal if you're simply going to skip the hard route? You'll finally have it and yet… you would still feel empty." However, the black-mist stranger did not listen and quickly grabbed ahold of Ultima's paw. Once he grabbed ahold, a sudden burst of energy stung the crystalline hand, causing the entity to quickly back away. The pink slime quickly slithered onto his shoulder after it too felt the pain.

"Hm… it seems you are pure of heart," the stranger told her. "Some sort of strange power is inside you and I cannot get to your heart. No matter. All I have to do is look for someone more… tainted. Hopefully it wouldn't be your brothers. Until we meet again, Ultima." When a burst of fire mixed with ice blasted near the pit, the wind created from the immediate splash blew the black mist away. Just like that, both the stranger and his slime companion were gone.

Ultima felt rather shocked from that event, trying to get rid of the stranger's words from her head. However, they stuck around like an earworm created from a catchy pop song on the radio. The dragoness thought it best if her interaction with the mysterious entity was left unnoticed, for simply telling it would have disastrous consequences. Before Kirby knew what hit him, the Smash Ball glowed brightly on his forehead again. Another vision was completed.


"Kirby, wake up!" Fox called out, shaking the pink demon back to his senses. The round alien sat up, looking at all of the companions he was surrounded by, including the Pokémon Trainer himself, who was reawakened as well as his Pokémon. The red Kirby Supporter tapped the pink puffball's cheek, making sure he was okay.

"Glad you're back again," Samus congratulated. Some of the Spirits that were at the market started popping out, cheering in curiosity.

"Look!" one of the Spirits called out. "They've got a million Spirit Points!" By the Smashers was a pile of green bits that were pretty much the Spirit Points. Fox McCloud quickly ran over to them and dug his anthropomorphic paws through the currency.

"Now we have plenty of money to buy the food we wanted!" the Star Fox mercenary said. Most of the fighters were scooping up a few handfuls of the Spirit Points, ready to buy the Miitopian food they asked for at Chef Kawasaki's stand.

Once all the fighters and Kirby Supporter had placed the rest of the Spirit Points and grub in separate pouches, they continued north of the path to a jungle with a large waterfall beside it. The pink demon looked back on the seaside town, thinking about the awakened memory that occurred. The encounter with the black entity was something life-changing, and it was a good thing this Ultima character had refused the offer. Little Mac then came around and patted Kirby's back, distracting the pink alien.

"Whatever happened back in that little head of yours, don't worry about it. It was probably all a dream" Little Mac then took a bite from the stinger of a Common BBQ Scorpion.

"I gotta tell you: Chef Kawasaki makes the best dishes!" Little Mac added while talking with his mouth full. "We should hire him onto that ship of yours as the gourmet chef sometime." Once Little Mac headed back to the group, the pink puffball knew those visions were like dreams, even though they were somehow tied to Faker's amnesia. Once thing is, in fact, certain for Kirby.

That memory will never go away from his mind. For some reason, it will stick around for a while.

Chapter 55: Galleom's Origin

Summary:

As the fighters travel through a jungle, Kirby starts to learn more about the boss they faxed against during the reign of the Subspace Army.

Chapter Text

Traveling through the jungle, the fighters tried to navigate through the wet, dense flora, barely getting glimpses of the sun itself because the leaves were so thick. Each one of these fighters was struggling through mounds of broken sticks, some even trying to whisk away the flies and mosquitoes that buzzed around them.

Eventually, the gang came to a clearing, where the sun was getting rather hotter. Thankfully there was a spring where they were currently at. The oasis itself was near a stone hill where the water ran down from it.

"Finally we can rest for now," Gilbert sighed, the Mii Swordfighter slumping down on the dry mossy ground. The other fighters stopped what they were doing and quickly sat down, bummed out from traveling after so long. Now that they were at the spring, it provided enough time for them to catch a breather.

Kirby jumped into the spring, feeling how refreshingly cold the water was since the sun was starting to get arid. The red Supporter saw the pink puffball swimming around all gleefully. The puppet fighter started stirring the water surface, trying to get a good estimate of how deep the spring was. Since Primaries and Supporters were created to survive through any natural obstacle and continue fighting, this was basically easy for the Kirby Supporter to join in with the pink puffball.

"Poyo-poyo-po!" Kirby laughed, literally sitting on top of the water's surface and watching his puppet fighter friend swim towards him. The Supporter simply looked at Kirby, starting to get a little passive with its enemy.

However, this temporary peace near the spring did not last as Clementine noticed a third reflection in the water. Since there were two lightweights in the water, they were creating ripples that obstructed the view. The Inkling noticed that high above the crack where the spring's water was leaking from was a figure who was surrounded by a white aura and had red eyes. It was a Primary, no doubt, appearing in the form of Diddy Kong. Clementine noticed that the Primary was quickly charging up his Rocketbarrel Pack before slipping it off his back. The captured fighter then aimed it straight down, where the Inkling suddenly noticed the Diddy Kong Primary had got his eyes on Kirby. He took careful aim to not hit the Supporter, but it was too late as it zoomed right towards the two puffballs.

Inkling yelled at Kirby and his friend to watch out in her own language, running towards the spring. She didn't even bother testing out if the water was safe or not as she just dived in. She grabbed ahold of Kirby and the Supporter, kicking her legs as fast as she could before the Rocketbarrel Pack hit the surface. Once the explosion occurred, Clementine had managed to toss both Kirbies and herself onto the soft ground before the blast covered the spring. Just as before, the water was pure and the Inkling was safe. All of the other fighters noticed the explosion too, and they gathered near the pool to see the captured fighter that had attacked them. The Spirit that seemed to possess him was Dixie Kong, Diddy Kong's girlfriend back on Kong Island.

Feeling rather vengeful for the Primary trying to hurt her friends, the Inkling transformed into her squid form and used Super Jump to grab onto the rim of the small waterfall. Clementine was starting to slip after clinging onto the smooth rocks. Luckily, before the Diddy Kong Primary was about to shoot with his Peanut Popgun, Clementine grabbed the foot of the captured bipedal animal and jumped into the spring with him.

"Clementine!" Red called out. Because the fighters knew that the Inkling can manage this on her own, all they could do was sit and watch. Inkling had started putting the Diddy Kong Primary in a headlock, submerging the captured fighter in the spring's water. She began climbing out of the water, pressing the Primary's head below the surface so she could drown him. As the bipedal monkey struggled to breathe, his movements were slowing down until it eventually stopped. The Diddy Kong Primary's body sank to the bottom, and Clementine sat back. She thought about how she had just murdered their ambusher: the simple act of forced drowning.

"That was goddamn brutal," Fox replied. Like the Star Fox mercenary, all of the other Smashers on their team were shocked and had no comment for what just happened. Nonetheless, the Diddy Kong Primary's body floated to the top of the surface, his face out of the water. The white mist and the Dixie Kong Spirit floated out of the monkey's body, spiraling into Kirby's body. Just after the shards of the Galeem Lock and the Spirit entered the pink puffball's body, the last thing Kirby saw was Yoshi diving in to save Diddy Kong after he just woke up, struggling with drowning.


Kirby tapped the Smash Ball on his forehead to see if he was in another vision. After checking, the pink puffball looked up into the day sky, seeing the clouds float by. He looked around at the buildings surrounding Ginnungagap, seeing the Miis that could not fight keeping themselves inside their homes, locking up doors and boarding windows. Ceresor, his sons, and Ultima stood near the edge of the Pit of Fire and Ice, surrounded by the Miis that can fight, including their Ultimates. This was the day that the Shadow Bugs would emerge from the darkness of Ginnungagap with their new beast.

The rumbling of rocks falling into the pit from the fire and ice geysers startled the troops, but they were still waiting. Then, they heard the echoing of sticks clanking on rocks from below Ginnungagap. A few Primids appeared on the backs of Trowlons, drumming their battle song. Armights, Shaydases, Roturrets, and basically every enemy in the Subspace Army emerged, with those that cannot really fly riding on Trowlons. They were surrounding a large gap in between each other, with several empty Trowlons diving in.

The Mii Fighters and dragons stepped back as they saw the prehistoric beast emerge from Ginnungagap, carried by the Trowlons. The creature itself was an enormous serpent with purple scales. He had eyes similar to the Subspace Cyborg the fighters came across before but was completely different in many ways. The gigantic python stretched up to a hundred feet, coiling his long body. Fused to his forehead was a glowing-violet stone that emitted black storm clouds from it.

"Oh no… he has the Darkness of Hycto on him," the Gunner Ultimate whimpered.

"What?" Ultima asked. "What is this creature!?"

"It is the last of the Heliotrope Titanoboas, a species so powerful it wiped out major contenders of dinosaurs during the Paleogene Era and will clearly wipe out our generation too," the Brawler Ultimate answered.

"With the Darkness of Hycto in control, that snake will be an unstoppable leader of the Shadow Bugs!" the Swordfighter Ultimate finished. The clanking of the stones with sticks stopped as the Borborases blew in the sounds of dark ambient war horns. The Mizzos sparked electricity in harmony with one another, and the Armanks snapped their jaws in coexisting rhythm. The Aurori swirled around in the sky while the creatures of the Shadow Bugs chanted the serpent's name. They could not speak naturally as much as gurgle noises, but their harmonized sounds had generated a name for the Heliotrope Titanoboa.

"Gal-le-om! Gal-le-om!" the monsters from the pit snarled. Now Kirby understood. The cyborg simian that his friends went up against was in fact a titanic purple snake reawakened from cryogenic freezing in permafrost after a billion years ago to begin with. Most of the Mii Fighters trembled when Galleom hissed a deafening roar, his venomous fangs flashing from his flat mouth and forked tongue.

The huge serpentine monster quickly leaped off from the platform of Trowlons. Despite being large and clearly not fit to jump, the Heliotrope Titanoboa harnessed the Darkness of Hycto on his forehead, benefitting the stone's power. He landed on the edge of the pit, instantly attacking the first few of his targets. The Ultimates and the four dragons saw the serpent lashing out at the Brawlers, Swordfighters, and Gunners before the rest of the Subspace Army followed.

What soon followed was a massive battle taking place in the streets of Ginnungagap's city. Ultima managed to use her powers to the test, transforming into a shark-like shape and slashing through a barrage of Shadow Bug monsters in one shot. She then summoned forth a golden bracket, grabbing the Buckots in the air and slamming them into the ground. Ceresor and his sons worked together to hold back the creatures from advancing to the Mii Fighter buildings, unaware that Galleom was already smashing through buildings and devouring the young and old. Only Ultima had seemed to notice.

The young dragoness took off into the sky, coating her spectrum-colored wings in flames as she plowed through swarms of Feyeshes. The serpentine monster was moving fast, which meant that Ultima had to react quickly before Galleom escapes into the outside world of Arcus and claim it for the Shadow Bugs. Surely defeating that prehistoric beast meant victory for the Mii Fighters.

Ultima dived straight for Galleom's body, unaware that the flickering of his tongue could smell her thousands of feet away. He lashed his tail at the black-armored dragoness, attempting to crush her with his massive weight. Ultima quickly converted her own skin into metal, planting her hind legs firmly on the ground. She bit into the giant serpent's tail as hard as she could, attempting to swing it. However, the Darkness of Hycto on the purple serpentine's forehead boosted his attack power, swinging Ultima around like a ragdoll. After ramming her into a house filled with defenseless Miis until she turned back to normal, Galleon surrounded a bruised Ultima with his body, hissing with wrath.

The Miis screamed in terror as they hugged on another. Ultima watched as Galleom dove right in to bite her with his fangs. It would have been too late for Ultima if it was not for Lord Ceresor shooting an explosive fireball into the beast's mouth. The Lord of Arcus landed right in front of his young companion, roaring at the purple snake.

The Heliotrope Titanoboa did not take that remark lightly and went straight for what he saw was the elderly and weaker prey. He slithered fast and tried to snap at Ceresor, who was so high above the creature. Combining the Water and Thunder Rainbolements, Ceresor rained down puddles conducting electricity through them. Once they hit Galleom's skin, the creature roared with hisses, swinging its tail back and forth.

"You people need to evacuate the city immediately!" Ultima told the cowering Miis. "Hide in the forest and take shelter until we defeat that snake monster!"

"But my husband's still out there!" one Mii, who was supposedly a mother of the other Miis, objected.

"Your loved ones are trying to sacrifice themselves for you, meaning you can still live another day," Ultima calmly answered. "Now, gather any survivors and flee into the forest until all is well. Move it!" The Miis then retreated into the city, avoiding the attacks from the other Shadow Bugs as best as they could. Some of the Mii Fighters were also helping the untrained Miis into the surrounding forest.

Ultima started slamming her front paws into the ground, summoning a net of vines from underground to trap Galleom. While the serpentine was struggling with the vines that got tighter the more he moved, Lord Ceresor fired magical blasts in the serpent's face. Ultima tried holding down the beast as hard as possible, but Galleom was just too strong. His tail ripped through the vines, not giving Ultima enough time to react as she was flung to a nearby pillar by Galleon's strength. She struggled in pain as she looked in terror of Lord Ceresor being hit by Galleon's tail. Since he too did not see it coming, Ceresor did not have time to use his powers as he was crushed by the weight of the hundred-foot tail.

"Lord Ceresor!" Ultima screamed. Thankfully, Sozo and Hakai could hear their student's cry over their father while in the middle of a battle from half a mile away.

"…Did something happen to our father?" Hakai asked.

"Come on!" Sozo exclaimed, pushing his brother forward before flying in Galleom's direction. The two dragons dashed as fast as they could to their Father's rescue, teleporting to get to the Heliotrope Titanoboa. Ultima looked above and saw the two dragons breathing flames on Galleom's violet scales. The dragoness was constantly avoiding the serpent's swinging tail, watching as Sozo launched giant balloons filled with cyan ink while Hakai curved into a circular form, summoning a humanoid eye with a stun laser in the middle of the shape. Once Galleom was stunned, Hakai and Sozo began charging up plasma blasts. As Ultima suddenly saw another swing from the creature's tail, she quickly ducked. Sozo and Hakai avoided the attack in time by teleporting toward Ultima, landing in front of her.

"You need to leave the Mii civilians out of the city!" Sozo ordered. "It's too dangerous!"

"My bro's right!" Hakai answered. "We can't risk anyone getting injured!"

"But if we leave, that thing will just destroy all we know on this planet anyway!" Ultima objected. Hakai pondered about that question, wondering if Ultima was right about their current situation.

"…Fair point," Hakai replied. Sozo suddenly saw the purple tail swinging towards them, and he quickly grabbed Hakai with his own mouth and teleporting them into the air. Once they had managed to fly, the two dragon brothers began spitting out flaming rocks at Galleom. With enough brute strength, Galleom opened his mouth and dived straight for the two brothers. His fangs snagged onto Sozo's left wing and Hakai's right wing, both of them the wings without the "hands-in-command" scars. The serpent shut his mouth, shaking his head back and forth. With brute force, Galleom ripped Sozo's and Hakai's caught wings clean off, slamming them into the ground. The beast then devoured the wings he had torn off, looking down upon Ultima.

The wounded Dragosmo took a good look at Galleom. The Darkness of Hycto on the prehistoric beast's forehead was the source of his strength, which would explain how he had mortally wounded Lord Ceresor and permanently grounded Sozo and Hakai. She knew if she ripped the stone from the serpent's skull, Galleom was significantly vulnerable. The Mii Fighters kept pushing against the Shadow Bugs, starting to grow victorious just like many of their countless battles from before. As soon as the serpentine giant attacked her again, Ultima quickly used her teleporting ability to get into the air. Once Galleom slithered towards her, Ultima created many different clones of herself. Each one of them behaved exactly like Ultima, even moving in a chaotic pattern so Galleom had a hard time telling each one apart. Flames and icicles flew into the serpent's face as he lunged towards one of the clones. He was instead met with an electrical-charged blast from the clone's self-destruct. The storm of projectiles did not seem to do much for Galleon as he kept attacking the different clones, seeming as how he was met with explosions of lightning from each one. Once Galleom was diverted enough, the real Ultima made the remaining clones self-destruct and flew straight for his forehead, knocking the violet stone right off the beast's body.

Once the Darkness of Hycto landed softly on the grass-laden ground, Galleom was now weak to Ultima's rapid-jab slashes. The dragoness continued attacking the creature until he was at the rim of the pit, grabbing the dropped stone in the process. With one final hit, Ultima completely shattered Galleom's body into many pieces, with fragments of his long ribcage flying out with bit of organs, flesh, and blood. Defeated, all that remained of the Heliotrope Titanoboa's body fell into the Pit of Ice and Fire, with Ultima dropping the Darkness of Hycto along with him into the pit. Once the army of creatures have heard the cries of Galleom's defeat, they all quickly combusted into their original forms: the Shadow Bugs, retreating back into the pit. The Mii Fighters were successful in holding back the creatures born with hearts of ice once more. Ultima had almost collapsed in exhaustion from that encounter.

The dragoness quickly ran to Sozo and Hakai, who were holding down the areas where each of their individual wing was ripped from. Ultima then saw Lord Ceresor lying down on the ground, barely moving.

"Lord Ceresor," Ultima said happily. "I managed to stop Galleom. I couldn't have done it without you or your sons…" Lord Ceresor coughed harshly, trying to stand up on his four legs. He then stumbled, startling his young companion a bit.

"I… cannot seem to… move…" Lord Ceresor groaned weakly. "…Maybe you three can help take me back… to the Sky Temple…" Ultima was starting to cry from the fact that Lord Ceresor might die from his wounds, troubling her greatly. As soon as the Mii Fighters had gathered around the four dragons in grief, the Smash Ball on Kirby's head flashed bright once more.


A wet, cold hand touched Kirby's face. The pink puffball opened his eyes and saw Diddy Kong perching right on top of him. Since the monkey was rescued from drowning in the spring, his brown fur was dripping with fresh water. Diddy Kong then shook his body, splashing all over the place. This was enough to encourage Kirby to wake up.

"Sleeping again as usual?" Sheik asked. "Count your lucky stars that the Inkling managed to rescue you and your clone friend." The red Kirby Supporter tapped the real Kirby's face with its stubby hand, making the pink alien giggle a bit.

"Where do you guys suppose Diddy Kong came from?" Dr. Mario asked. "There's no paths around here, so this is basically a peaceful-looking dead end." Lucario placed a hand on Clementine's shoulder, using his aura powers to read her mind.

"According to this Inkling, she managed to spot Diddy Kong dropping his Rocketbarrel Pack from above the spring," Lucario answered. "If that's the case, then that must mean there's a secret way up the mountain."

"So if Diddy Kong came from above the spring, then he must know a way through," the Wii Fit Trainer replied. The monkey nodded in response, hollering as he ran off to a new location in the area. Diddy Kong stopped at some overgrowth, pushing it aside. The fighters saw that Diddy Kong had uncovered a new path that led up the barren mountain. There was a path that spiraled to the top before dropping down at the semiarid desert nearby.

"Good work, Diddy!" the Pokémon Trainer remarked before instantly running up the spiraling path with his Pokéballs in his backpack.

"Wait for us, Red!" Little Mac replied, chasing after him. Soon after, the whole team followed the Pokémon Trainer up the mountain. When they had gone halfway up the mountain, they saw another spring carved through erosion. The pool was leaking into the one down below. All they had to do was traverse higher. When the Smashers got over the edge, they saw that the top was flat, with its path descending into the desert.

The fighters looked at the view from this point, amazed at how beautiful Gallia looked. Everything was bright and colorful, with skies filled with pure white clouds. When they weren't fighting Primaries and Supporters, this island was rather peaceful in some regions, but that was mainly because most of the planet's captives were freed from Galeem's control. But if there was anything this team had learned from their travels, it was that their actions will be recognized the more of their friends they rescue, and they will be ambushed more often. This was not an exception here on top of the rocky mountain as they were about to find out.

"Alright," Fox McCloud told everyone. "Make sure we're stock up on that Miitopian grub before we head down into the desert. Anything heavy on juices is a major option." The fighters checked their pockets to see whatever liquids they could find, making sure they were not low on these kinds of vital resources. All of a sudden, a fully-charged orb of water was shot right towards Link. The Champion of Hyrule had quickly noticed in time and blocked the projectile with his Hylian Shield. The whole team quickly found out, all of them looking at Link as he pulled out his Master Sword. Emerging from the bushes in the back of the mountain were two Supporters: one of them was a feminized version of Corrin – the one who had shot the water orb with Dragon Shot, and the other was Lucina with light red hair dressed in white. With a familiar buzzing sound, a figure with a neon blue blade jumped out and attempted to slam down on Piranha Plant and Yoshi.

"Backslash!" the stranger spoke out, but that voice was one none of the Smashers would recognize. Piranha Plant was grabbed by Yoshi and dragged out of the way.

"Are you kidding me right now!?" the Mii Swordfighter asked. "You get in the mood and company shows up." The stranger that appeared before them was the Shulk Primary, sporting a white aura and red eyes like all other Primaries while the two Supporters with him had just red eyes.

"Not the peculiar type to run around with a Supporter by your side, huh?" the Shulk Primary asked in a voice different from the Hom that the others were comfortable with, noticing the Kirby puppet with them.

"Listen: we're tired of fighting minute after minute," Captain Falcon addressed. "Most of us just wanna go home. Who do you think you are to ambush us like everyone else!?"

"My name is Rex, defender from the Leftherian Archipelago!" the Shulk Primary answered, showing that Rex was the Spirit controlling Shulk. "We are here to attack in the name of Galeem – not because we chose to do it but because we HAVE to do it. Mythra! Pyra! Get those sons of bitches!" The two Supporters both drew their swords and dashed towards the fighters, ready to attack. Setting his eyes on the Pokémon Trainer, the Shulk Primary grabbed ahold of Red as they were teleported to yet another Final Destination-like location.


The Pokémon Trainer rubbed his head as he felt the soft ground underneath him. The air smelled fresh and pure, with caving cliffs that were clearly not possible for ordinary lands to corrode into. In the sky was a mechanical giant permanently frozen in place. It was Gaur Plains.

"Galeem has told me about your unique ability to summon three different creatures into battle," the Shulk Primary said. "So summon a creature and let's fight!" Red jumped to the back of the stage and quickly pulled out a Pokéball. He summoned Squirtle and began the fight. Squirtle started the match by using Withdraw, with the Pokémon curling up into his shell and rushing at the captured fighter. Just when Squirtle's shell was about to hit the Shulk Primary, the captured fighter managed to use Vision in time. The blue effect that came from the rival forced Red to switch out his Pokémon.

"Return!" the Pokémon Trainer said, summoning Squirtle back into his Pokéball. In a split second after the Shulk Primary finished his counter-attack, Red unleashed Ivysaur. As soon as the Grass-type Pokémon was summoned, Ivysaur quickly summoned vines from his flower bud and constantly slapped the Shulk Primary.

Once the captured fighter jumped out of the way, he pulled out his Monado blade and used the Buster Art. Ivysaur quickly used Razor Leaf to space himself out. Once the Shulk Primary was racked up with enough damage, Ivysaur used Bullet Seed and began shooting the captured fighter into the air. Then, the Pokémon used Vine Whip and yanked the Shulk Primary in front of him. Once the captured fighter was at a certain angle, the Pokémon Trainer quickly switched out to Charizard and made him use Flare Blitz. It was a perfect hit at the Shulk Primary, and the captured fighter instantly took a one-way trip into the blast zone. After the Shadow Bugs dissolved the background of Gaur Plains, Pokémon Trainer quickly called back Charizard before he was suspended in midair. Red then saw the body of Shulk protected by Rex's Spirit by means of the blue barrier. The Spirit Sniper appeared in Red's hand, meaning it was time for another roulette.


Back at the mountaintop, the rest of Pokémon Trainer's friends were busy attacking the Lucina and Corrin Supporters. Both Clementine and Gilbert were covering each other's backs as they both covered themselves in walls of projectiles. Once the Lucina and Corrin Supporters were knocked out far enough, Piranha Plant and Kirby managed to grab them and pummel the puppet fighters until they were released. Once the Supporters escaped, Jigglypuff and Peach both slapped the puppet fighters so hard their shields broke. Meanwhile, the red Kirby Supporter was unharmed as it simply sat near the edge of the mountaintop. Since it was two Normal Legendary Spirit Supporters going up against twenty-one, it seemed pretty fair in the amount of power both teams had. However in this case, the odds were against the puppet fighters. Bowser stomped towards them and charged a powerful lunge kick, sending the Corrin and Lucina Supporters in the red Kirby puppet's direction. They would have managed to survive if it wasn't for the allied Supporter that pulled out a flaming hammer and whacked the two puppets' heads off. Despite being Blades, the Spirits that had possessed there clones were just as weak as everyone else. Once the defeated clones disintegrated into Shadow Bugs, the Mythra and Pyra Spirits, which were red and lacked the rainbow aura, both flew into Kirby's body and got themselves absorbed into Faker's stone.

The Pokémon Trainer had arrived through the vortex, carrying the unconscious body of Shulk. The Master Legendary Rex Spirit emerged from the Hom with the mist of the shattered Galeem Locks. Kirby managed to absorb the mist and Spirit, meaning it was time for another vision much to his surprise. The pink puffball froze in place once more, his eyes glowing white.


Kirby woke up with the rainbow aura and golden eyes again, seeing that he was in a semi-dark room with candles aglow. Lord Ceresor was lying down in his bed, with Sozo, Hakai, and Ultima standing next to him. Sozo and Hakai had their wounds stitched together, and they managed to survive Galleom's threat. Their father however was not so lucky. Now the Lord of Arcus was resting on his stomach, looking at his closest companions with sadness.

"I am afraid I… cannot go on with ruling Arcus any longer," Lord Ceresor said, coughing harshly. "It is time the dragons of this planet move on without me…"

"Lord Ceresor, no!" Ultima objected. "There has to be a way to bring you back! We can use the Life and Magic Rainbolements to heal you and even regrow the wings that your son's once had! I-"

"Ultima, it isn't right," Hakai answered. "Even I am not crazy enough to go beyond those limits of... bringing our dying father back and regrowing lost limbs."

"I'm afraid my sons are right," Ceresor answered. "Necromancy and dark magic have been considered unfair for many reasons involving our lifespan, so we had to make it forbidden. Like the seasons that cycle around, we all must change… give it or better or for worse."

"But… what'll happen to you…?" Ultima asked, beginning to tear up. Ceresor only chuckled weakly.

"My dear, sweet child…" Ceresor sighed, gracing her delicate face gently with his talon. "The reason why you can neither bring back parts of someone's body or even resurrect loved ones is because… their own time has come. There are many different populations, both alien and dragonkin alike, that know immortality is not the answer. Those that are dying wish for their tale to end since they have already lived it up to the fullest. They had fought the toughest battles. They had watched their children start lives of their own. They had seen all the events that had followed. Whether good or bad, they wish to see what happens next, and my lifespan is no different. I helped you uncover who you truly are. Now it is time you take my place in the Throne of Arcus, Ultima, and show your students my teachings."

"Me?" Ultima asked. "I don't even know how to rule a planet, give or take a few days!"

"You will find your way," Ceresor answered. "I must go soon. My place in the Great Beyond is waiting for me. You did your part, Ultima. You had managed to save a species and ours. It was your fight for freedom. That is what makes you the next Queen of Arcus. Hopefully my sons can guide you through."

"…Lord Ceresor!" Ultima cried, her claws ready to tear through the bed sheets as she tightened her grip.

"…Remember what I have taught you," Lord Ceresor whispered. "The Almighty Father… is waiting for me… goodbye… my… children…" With one final breath, Lord Ceresor had succumbed to his wounds. Ultima tried holding in her tears, but it was alas impossible as she broke down on Ceresor's deathbed through weeping. The one she looked up to all her years was deceased.

"Our father was a great ruler," Sozo addressed with grief in his face. "Let's hope his legacy is never forgotten…"

The next day, as Kirby watched through another time lapse, Ultima was standing in front of Lord Ceresor's grave. The burial itself was located in the Sky Temple's garden, hence why it was decorated with flowers of all species throughout Arcus. The tombstone was a large cross decorated with stone angels blowing trumpets of glory. Dragons with each one breathing an individual Rainbolement were found at the edges. The encryption carved into the tombstone read "Ceresor: Lord of Arcus – The Dragonkin Will Not Forget You".

Ultima shed another tear from her eye, looking away in shame. Why didn't she save Ceresor when she got the chance? Even then, she doubted there was a change for the better as it is. As the Lord of Arcus said, it was time to move on.

"Depressing, isn't it?" a familiar voice asked. Ultima quickly picked up the sound, immediately recognizing it.

That voice… Ultima thought. She turned around to see the black entity and his bubblegum slime companion behind her.

"What are you doing here?" Ultima growled softly.

"I'm sorry," the entity replied. "Did I arrive at a bad time? It must be because you seem unfit for being a ruler."

"You tried to corrupt me," Ultima snapped, approaching closer to the black mist. "I don't know what is your fucking problem, but I will get to your head if it takes me thousands of years."

"Try me," the entity objected, the pink slime purring on his crystalline arm. "I have been around long before you or the most recent Lord of Arcus even existed, and I had to go through sacrifice just to get here. I am more than what you think, and I have ways of deceiving you. Once I get my way, there will be nothing that stands between me and my goal. With you as an exception, I only see dragons as corrupt and sin-driven as every other species I came across…"

"…Funny," Ultima pondered. "That almost sounded like a being I was warned to be careful of… Who are you…?" The entity merely chuckled at that question.

"You are… so clever to recognize me," the entity growled. "Like I said, I am an unpredictable force that strives for whatever he desires. What you are standing on is the birth of a new nation."

"Get out of my head," Ultima growled.

"I will vanish as you have commanded," the black mist replied. "However, I will appear before my next target tomorrow night when the moon is new. After all… don't you just love the feeling of chaos?" Through evil-sounding laughter, the black mist and his bubblegum slime vanished through the wind. Just a second later, Sozo walked in.

"Ultima?" Sozo asked. "Who were you talking to?" He only managed to hear Ultima from a decent distance, so it was hard for him to understand.

"Uh… nobody," Ultima answered nervously. "Just… practicing lines in case of political commentary…"

"We don't discuss politics anymore," Sozo answered with suspicion.

"You… never know!" Ultima said.

"Whatever you think, you are needed for the coronation," Sozo replied. "Let's go." Once both dragons walked out of the garden, Kirby's Smash Ball flashed bright once again.


The pink orb felt water from Squirtle's Water Gun move splash onto his face. Kirby turned around to meet with the Pokémon's face. Red laughed as Squirtle hopped back into his arms.

"We don't need to know you're up again," Samus said. "By the way, we got another friend." Standing right in front of Kirby was Shulk, rescued from the Lock's captivity.

"Hey, Shulk?" Fox asked. "You said there were six decillion, forty-eight nonillion, seven hundred and forty-two octillion, and five hundred and seventy-nine septillion ways this can end."

"Plus fourteen million, six hundred and five," Shulk corrected.

"Whatever," Fox continued, pretending to avoid that fact as he shook his hands in a stately manner. "Regardless of how many, can you give us a little recap of how many futures are still here? I get the feeling that a lot more are where we don't even make it up to this point…" Shulk gladly grabbed ahold of the Monado's handle, his eyes flashing blue as he looked through so many futures.

"Thankfully, there are eight hundred and fifty-three sextillion futures available to us," Shulk answered. "That doesn't mean we don't have more than one future in which we win."

"Makes sense," Fox said. "Let's head to the desert, people." The Star Fox mercenary traveled down the road to the semiarid desert up north, and the whole gang, including the red Kirby Supporter, followed after him. Kirby stayed behind for a while and quickly coughed up Faker's stone. It was still dry and lacking cracks after this whole time, still giving off that dark violet texture behind the golden Smash Ball symbol.

Kirby knew that somewhere out there is Faker herself, waiting for him to come back. If the pink demon was to return with his friends, then that stone she gets back might recover parts of her amnesia, maybe even giving the other fighters clues about Galeem's past.

"Kirby!" Captain Falcon called out. The pink puffball heard the bounty hunter call out his name, and he quickly inhaled the stone again before meeting up with his friends.

And whoever was the third fighter to survive Galeem's Movement of the Light, this person would surely meet up with this band of heroes and villains in the semiarid desert.

Chapter 56: The Hero of Light vs. The World

Summary:

As the fighters travel through a desert, they come across another survivor of the Movement of the Light.

Chapter Text

The semiarid desert was dotted with cacti of all sorts of species, bathing under the heated light of the sun. Through the blazing, dry warmth, Kirby and his companions kept walking on the dusty path. Even though they stocked up on those Miitopian drinks, they were starting to run out.

"Who knew that our mission to purge the Lord of Light could be this intense?" Fox asked, watching the remaining droplets spill out from his Common Tornado Lemonade beverage.

"I know we have plenty of drinks to last a few days, but we need a faster means of transportation around here," Gilbert addressed, wiping his brow. "If only there was some sort of train to transport us across this wasteland…"

"Speaking of which," Bowser added, quickly noticing an old train station that seemed to be mocked up from the mid-1800's. There was a locomotive engine that was hooked up to three cabooses, running on a cart packed with charcoal. The fighters quickly approached the train station, checking to see what they could find about the place. Sitting on an empty stool was a Normal Novice Spirit. This Spirit was a Wester from Planet Popstar, his hat covering the top half of his face.

"You fellers shouldn't be here," the Spirit said. The Smashers noticed the generic cowboy enemy talking to them.

"Listen," Peach reminded. "We're just looking for a ride. We weren't here to intrude on your territory…"

"Intruding?" the Wester Spirit asked. "The only intruders in my turf are Galeem's varmints. Surely you ain't jestin'."

"And that's why we're here," Shulk replied. "We are on a mission to defeat the Seraph of Order and save your universes. The least you can do is lend us a ride on that train…"

"Sorry. No can do," the Wester answered. "Tracks have closed down five years ago and I haven't bothered to check 'em since."

"We can pay you," the Wii Fit Trainer objected, pulling out a bag of Spirit Points.

"The only treasure I ever love is the sweet, warm air of the desert I live in," the Spirit said. "Now y'all better vamoose or I'll give you mavericks a swingin'." The Wester Spirit pointed to the side of the train station, revealing a dried-up tree laced with empty nooses, some of them rotting away. In a few of the nooses are dusty, cracking skeletons covered in bits of green flesh filled with maggots and flies, though they were just for decoration to scare off the common fool. However, with the Popstar citizen, this was a rather serious deal. The fighters knew there was no other way to travel through the desert except on foot, so they turned around and walked away from the station.

Just then, before she took another step, Samus heard a faint clattering noise coming from inside the station. The armored bounty hunter started getting rather curious from the peculiar noise. Once she walked back to the train station, the other fighters saw her walking towards the Wester Spirit from before.

"Can I at least search through the station for supplies?" Samus asked. The Spirit lifted up his ten-gallon hat, confused as what the bounty hunter just said to him.

"This is rather strange," the Wester muttered. "No one's ever asked to go through my home. Eh… I don't see why not since I usually sleep outside. Just a fair warning there's nothing of value here."

"Thanks." The Smashers on the team watched as Samus slowly opened the door, poking her arm cannon through. She saw that the windows were boarded up, with only rays of light shining through, and multiple safes were already broken open. Dollars and coins were spilling out onto the floor, showing that the Wester really didn't care for riches. Kirby and his Supporter, Villager, Piranha Plant, Captain Falcon, Sheik, Mii Swordfighter, Link, Fox, Dr. Mario, Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Pikachu, Lucario, Bowser, Peach, Mr. Game & Watch, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, and Shulk all squeezed themselves through the door, taking a look around at the supposedly-abandoned train station.

"Everyone stay quiet," Samus alerted the group. "Whoever or whatever made that noise is still here…" When each of the Smashers was looking around in the darkness, Kirby and his friends heard the pitter-patter of footsteps running across the room. Each one of them kept their guard up as they continued their search.

"Stay where you're at," Samus said, pressing a small button on her helmet and illuminating her visor to the point it was a literal flashlight. "We know how to fight, so there is no point in resisting." They all suddenly heard the stranger trip while clattering against antiques. Samus quickly turned in the direction of the sound, her eyes widening slightly as she saw the figure that was hiding from them. The other fighters instantly saw who she was looking at, and it was the third fighter to survive Galeem's attack.

The person was clothed in purple, laden with brown leather and a pouch. He was equipped with a sword, and had a smooth mop of brown hair. He cried in shock as he saw all these peculiar warriors in front of him. Kirby and the gang were also alarmed by this complete stranger and backed away while screaming. However, the Piranha Plant pushed himself towards the figure they had found, sensing a familiar scent.

"Piranha Plant?" the stranger asked, recognizing the generic plant in that team. The Piranha Plant ran towards the stranger, hugging him ever so tightly. The figure laughed at that gesture, confusing the other fighters. He noticed the group of fighters the carnivorous flower brought along and pushed the plant aside to talk with the team.

"You know the Piranha Plant?" Samus asked, lowering her arm cannon.

"We've been together for five years before our separation," the stranger answered. "Didn't think I would find him here…" The stranger noticed the fighters still in the room, not even aware that he was a friend to the Piranha Plant.

"Do you… mind telling us your name?" Peach asked.

"My name is Ireburn, or Eleven the Luminary," the stranger responded. "However, you can just simply call me the Hero as they address me through stories in my homeworld, who's basically a descendant of the Line of Erdrick. I pretty much have a LOT of names, so you can just call me Ireburn or Eleven, whichever one suits you." The stranger, now introducing himself as Ireburn, Eleven the Luminary, or the Hero, noticed the lovable pink puffball in the group.

"You're the one who would save us all from the reign of Galeem, aren't you?" The Hero spoke to Kirby. The pink puffball pointed to himself, nodding at that remark.

"Quite an honor to be part of your team," the Luminary said.

"Now wait just a minute," Fox objected. "We don't even know you outside of your name and you don't seem trustworthy…"

"How would you feel if your world was destroyed by literal light and you were the only survivor?" Ireburn asked. The fighters were starting to wonder about that remark, thinking about what this could mean. From what Eleven had addressed, it seemed as though he had managed to survive Galeem's lasers.

"You wouldn't happen to be one of the members of the Forgotten Resistance, wouldn't you?" Captain Falcon asked.

"Of course I am," the Hero answered. "Why else can I instantly recognize this Piranha Plant? My survival had me involving using my wits… and a whole pack of spells."

"So… Ireburn… looks like we could use you on our team," Samus told him. "You said something about spells, so we can use it to our advantage. What 'ya say?" The Hero walked towards them, ready to take on this challenge to fight against the light itself.

"I accept," the Hero answered. Just then, the Wester Spirit walked in after hearing the commotion. He suddenly saw the Luminary Hero standing in the group of fighters.

"This the guy that was snoopin' around?" the Spirit asked. "Well, considering how I don't allow anyone to access the train due to unrepaired railroads, I suppose I can screw it and start the locomotive. You people clearly convinced me." The team of fighters then went outside back the way they came, watching as smoke was rolling through the locomotive's chimney.

"What're you fellers waitin' for?" the Wester Spirit asked, conducting the train. "Get on!" Each of the fighters got into one of the front cabooses behind the tank engine, with Kirby helping his red Supporter sit down. Once everyone was in their seats, the train started moving. The clanking and rubbing of the metallic wheels against the rough railroad forced the tank engine to ride at a steady pace.

Ireburn noticed the Supporter living peacefully among the other fighters, even though it sported the red eyes that the rest of its kind had. He noticed how caring Kirby was towards a clone of himself, especially when it was forced to restrict freedom among all of the multiverse's civilians.

"Hi there, little… Slime?" Ireburn asked, unaware of what Kirby actually was.

"It's…i-it's… Kirby," the pink demon answered with spattering.

"Any ideas on why a Supporter is on your side?" The Hero saw that the red Kirby Supporter was covered in bandages.

"...W-wounded," Kirby answered without trying to make a fool of himself.

"What he's-a trying to say is that-a these Supporters have Spirits trapped in them, meaning that they still carry their conscious, just without the will of freedom," Dr. Mario answered.

"I already know that," the Luminary said. "It's rather strange that these Spirits want to return to their individual universes, but Galeem is just keeping them in there."

"If you want your answer, then Kirby had swallowed it and is now inside of him," Link noted. "He got the stone from a friend, and he's been getting visions of the past that could tie into why Galeem did what he had to do and how he did not arrive sooner." Suddenly, the train somehow stopped, and its screeching tracks halted the tank engine right in place.

"Stay where you're at!" a voice called from outside. The fighters quickly got out of the caboose, noticing the semiarid desert thousands of feet from where they first met the Hero. They had stopped at the foot of an active volcano, its rivers of lava heating the surrounding area up to temperatures worse than the blazing sands. Luckily, right in front of the mid-1800's locomotive was a giant beanstalk that led up to an ocean of clouds. On those clouds were the Floating Islands. However, the group that stopped the train in general was the Zero Suit Samus Primary and her small group of three green Snake Supporters.

"Don't think you're going anywhere," the Zero Suit Samus Primary addressed, "especially when you're under the watchful eye of the Boss!" The image of the Master Legendary Spirit flashed on the captured fighter, revealing it to be the Boss from Snake's universe. The Wester Spirit, not bothering taking any part of this, flew away from the locomotive.

"Not again…" Link sighed, pulling out his Master Sword. The rest of the fighters, including the Kirby Supporter, prepared their weapons and got ready to fight.

"A Primary! I've been waiting a long time for this!" Ireburn spoke out loud, pulling out the sword that was passed down through his lineage after Erdrick with his right hand while markings of spells swirled around his left one.

"Be careful, Eleven!" Captain Falcon called out, blocking one Snake Supporter's jabs with his elbows. The whole group of fighters began spreading apart to avoid the chaotic rain of explosive grenades, missiles, and C4s that the Supporter team instantly sent out. Link managed to provide enough cover with his Hylian Shield, and both Fox and Yoshi got behind the Champion of Hyrule and spammed their individual projectiles.

Ireburn the Hero quickly avoided the blasts by creating a magical shield out of one of his spells: the Bounce ability. He was managing to reflect all these projectiles for a short while until he quickly grabbed the Zero Suit Samus Primary. Ireburn was ready to bash her head with his shield that was also passed through his family, but the captured fighter quickly spawned a vortex between the two, transporting then to the Omega version of Frigate Orpheon, where the Parasite Queen crawled about in her spinning capsule that was half-open.

"So you must be one of the Forgotten Resistance soldiers," the Zero Suit Samus Primary added, swinging her Plasma Whip. "Prepare to meet your fate!" The captured fighter used her Jet Boots to flip in the air and attempt to bury the Hero, but he quickly used another spell – Kaclang – to transform himself into metal. This move also granted him super armor for a short time, so he quickly followed up with the Kazap spell, electrocuting the Zero Suit Samus Primary.

The captured fighter quickly jumped and landed right in front of the Luminary, right when Ireburn, who turned back to normal, ran up towards her and ignited his sword with ice with the Kacrackle Slash spell. The Primary was quickly frozen in ice, allowing Ireburn to quickly follow up with a Sizzle spell. The captured fighter then instantly broke out of her icy prison, and she began swinging her Plasma Whip around her body.

"You're rather strong," the Zero Suit Samus Primary added, "for a newbie." The Hero then started blocking the captured fighter's whip with his shield. Ireburn then managed to jump above her and slash downward with his sword. The clanging of the metal against the futuristic space weapon that the Primary held ringed throughout the stage, but Eleven the Luminary managed to push the captured fighter off the edge. He then jumped up and cast the spell Zoom in which he launched himself high into the air and gimped the Zero Suit Samus Primary with the tornado that boosted him upward. Try as she may with her Jet Boot recovery, the captured warrior could not get back onto the stage.

The Shadow Bugs dissolved through the stage as the Primary was combusted at the blast zone. The Boss escaped from Zero Suit Samus and was now protecting them both with the barrier. The Hero was frozen in place as the Spirit Sniper spawned in his hands.

Well, this is new, Ireburn thought to himself, taking careful aim for the unconscious fighter. He noticed the only ammo for this weapon was Zero Suit Samus' Fighter Spirit, praying to get back. With that said, Eleven took careful aim at the bounty hunter and fired.


Electrocuting the last Snake Supporter until it dropped dead, Pikachu watched as the separated Spirit of Otacon floated out of the disintegrating Supporters and merged back together into one before disappearing into the air. The other fighters rested near the rough, cool rocks of the volcano. Kirby had noticed the puppet fighter of his was trembling, unfit for fighting against its own kind. The pink alien boy lowered down the battered mallet it brought along, helping persuade the Supporter.

"Look!" the Mii Swordfighter called out to his friends. "The Hero's back!" The other fighters saw the vortex both Ireburn and the Primary entered through appear right in front of them. As soon as Eleven the Luminary appeared carrying the sleeping body of Zero Suit Samus, the Boss Spirit and the white mist quickly entered inside Kirby. The pink puffball's eyes flashed white again, and he dropped limp to the ground.

"What's with him?" the Luminary asked.

"He does this every time we rescue another one of our friends," Link told him. "The Master Spirits bind themselves to the fighters through the Galeem Lock, and a special stone that Kirby swallowed is absorbing them just so he can see through the past. All we need to do is wait until we finish our mission and see through the Lord of Light's past. Right now, we have to move up to the Floating Islands, hit the beach, and sail to the island where the Rathalos resides." The Hylian started to climb up the thick Vine of the beanstalk, cautiously planting his feet on the humongous leaves. The Inkling and Lucario followed after Link, and soon everyone else was climbing the stalk. The Kirby Supporter took it upon itself to carry the original round icon that was paralyzed at the time on its back. Due to its recovery and deep intellectual understanding, the Kirby Supporter knew these fighters were trying to rescue the Spirits trapped within.


Kirby, hearing the voices of people cheering around him, woke up to see himself back in the city of Civiltatula. He saw literally all of the dragons in the world: Eastern and Western, single-headed and multi-headed, winged and wingless, alligator-like and serpent-like, feathered and scaled, and much more. They were all gathered in front of the large stump where the Dragosmo Solstice was held, which was located at the center of town. Kirby then saw a good portion of the crowd step aside to let Sozo, Hakai, and Ultima through.

The spectrum-winged dragoness was coated in the royal armor Ceresor had on him before, but it was downcast and dull in color, and she didn't even have the helmet on. By her side were the two sons the Lord of Arcus had, with Sozo holding a baton in his mouth and Hakai carrying the dirtied helmet. The soldiers of Arcus and even all the Dragosmo students marched behind them. Ultima's parents were also watching her coronation from the sidelines, and she noticed them filled with pride and hope for her as she made her way to the giant stump. Only Galeem and Phoenix were absent from the crowd.

Hakai and Sozo stood in front of Ultima once she got up to the stump. Her heart was beating fast, feeling insecure as she feared she would become a terrible leader. However, she wanted to fulfill Ceresor's legacy and not let his line die down.

Hakai sat up on his hind legs, grabbing onto the helmet with his front ones and gently placing it on Ultima's bowing head. The dragons in the crowd applauded over the crowning of the young dragoness. Then, Sozo slowly placed on the wooden rings of the stump the baton he carried along. The baton itself was coated with markings and ancient languages, swirling like the fires of the winged beasts.

"Play your song," Sozo told her. "Every new ruler must play a special song at least once in his or her life."

"But… I don't even have one," Ultima objected. Sozo then nudged the baton closer to her.

"This special relic can see through hearts," Sozo answered. "If your heart is pure, then you are fit to be the next ruler. Now pick up the baton and let it guide you on your way to the ultimate fight." Ultima, her question answered, picked up the baton with her mouth. She then flapped her wings and soared into the air, looking down upon the world's population of dragons. She used her right front paws to take the baton from her mouth and hold it, and adrenaline coursed through her spine as she saw her future.

The future of leadership. The future of nations. The future of Arcus can be led by her command as long as she is wise and just. With her heart stopping and her breath being held in, Ultima raised the baton and started to move it downward as fast as possible.

What startled her out of nowhere was an orchestra blaring throughout Civiltatula, and the baton she was holding glowed a vivid color. The music played through G major and B minor, and the melody according to Kirby was constructed in a similar fashion to Faker's song. Even though she wanted to stop, the baton's magic made her move through the music that played out of nowhere without any musical instruments in sight. Through one third of the song, Ultima noticed the rainbow swirls dance out from the baton she was conducting with. These swirls created a simulation around her, with each individual color acting out the Rainbolement they represented.

As the music went on, Ultima noticed the simulation was constantly changing, with the mists shifting into things similar to musical instruments and synchronizing in harmony with the melody the baton generated. Ultima smiled as the music stopped for a brief moment to hear the crowd chanting her name alongside her lifelong reign.

"Ultima! Long live the queen! Ultima! Long live the queen!" The armor she was wearing suddenly started to shift into a gorgeous platinum laced with the design similar to Tabuu's wings carved into them. Many different places also had gems the size of an average human's eyeball located on the armor, most noticeably on her chestplate. Once the song ended with a big finish, the rainbow mist splashed out in all directions, her armor flashing against the light of the sun. All of Arcus' dragons cheered that day as she descended back onto the large stump.

Ultima looked around, seeing her new people cheering for her as she gave the baton back to Sozo. Her parents flew towards her onstage and hugged her lovingly, much to her surprise.

"We're so proud of you," Toropikaru wept. "We had no idea you would become a literal queen of the world one day." Ultima laughed at that remark, breaking apart the hug with tears in her eyes.

"You can come stay at the Sky Temple if you want," Ultima told them.

"It's alright," Metallio assured. "We already love the simple life as it is. But we can still visit regardless! If only your brothers were here to see this…" Ultima blocked out the sound of the crowd cheering for her from her head, thinking about her own brothers. How they were left out in all of this.

Hours had passed, and a large celebration was held at the Sky Temple. While the guards were keeping a good watch over the place, Ultima was walking through one of Arcus' forests with Sozo and Hakai. As Kirby watched, he knew where this would go.

"I'm nervous, Sozo," Ultima explained. "How are my brothers gonna react when they see me as their new queen?"

"They will find out sooner or later," Sozo answered. "Besides, we need them as really important placeholders since we can no longer fly."

"But… can't you use Air or Magic Rainbolements to travel…?" Ultima asked.

"Wish we could, but our wings truly take us to new heights," Hakai noted. "Even though these two elements can boost our jump, without at least another wing these abilities are useless. The wings truly power the abilities that involve flight, and that basically makes us crippled to oblivion."

"Plus, we need Galeem and Phoenix to take our places as Lords of Light and Darkness," Sozo said. "Even though we had seen the struggles of their past catch up to them in recent years, they are still the best students in our own eyes. Traditions allow teachers to transfer the powers of the Seraphim of Balance through their best students when they are no longer fit. For that said, we have chosen your brothers." The three dragons then stopped in front of a big tree with a large hole at the top. The only way in was covered with a curtain, and the branches were decorated with small, white crystals.

"That's strange," Ultima remarked in wonder. "Usually crystals like these don't show up unless a new fertile egg has been laid…"

"I'm sure you may find your brother's surprise… unexpected," Sozo said. "This is also taking into consideration that even we don't know what is going on here." Ultima then took off into the air and landed in front of the large hole in the tree. She knocked on the wooden surface with her front paws, waiting for someone to answer. Much to her surprise, Galeem himself pushed aside the curtain to see his sister standing before him.

"Wow…" Galeem said, admiring the royal armor she was wearing. "What happened to you?"

"Lord Ceresor is dead," Ultima answered. "For traditional reasons, I took his place. May I please come in?"

"Of course," Galeem responded, walking inside. "If I had figured out my own sister was the Queen of Arcus, I would've thought about it sooner." When Ultima looked around, she saw the new home that her white-armored brother had found.

"I hope you don't mind the… unexpected company," Galeem said as he was approaching Medley, who was resting in a nest. Ultima was rather curious to see the golden-snowflake dragoness slowly and carefully lift herself up to reveal an egg. The egg was a pure white like Galeem, but spotted with the golden snowflakes of Medley. That right there was entirely real.

"I'm… I'm…" Ultima stammered with the good kind of shock.

"That's right," Galeem said cheerfully. "You're gonna be an aunt." Ultima admired the beautiful egg that was protected by Medley.

"I am… so amazed by you, Galeem," Ultima said with tears of joy. "You have finally become a father. Now, if you may, would you mind having to listen to what I say?" Galeem nodded, ready to accept the new queen's word.

"I need you to become… the new Lord of Light," Ultima continued, walking outside. "Sozo would not ask of this right now, but something terrible happened to one of his wings and can no longer fly." When Galeem looked down on the branch, he saw the scars where Sozo's left wing and Hakai's right wing were torn off. Seeing as how this was a great situation, Galeem was taking up thoughts into his own head.

"You're saying you need me to be the Lord of Light," Galeem said. "How come?"

"According to tradition, all Lords of Light and Darkness are teachers, and their best students take their places when they are no longer incapable of holding this much responsibility," Ultima responded. "Looks like you have no choice when others won't risk it. Don't worry about your family. They can be brought along too." Galeem looked back on his now-found wife Medley, who had just started getting ready by slipping a pouch on her neck and carefully rolling the egg into it.

"I accept," Galeem sighed. Ultima then glided to the ground and met up with Sozo and Hakai. Galeem and Medley slowly lowered to the soft grass.

"Now that we got the Lord of Light part outta the way, howsabout we find something for the Lord of Darkness?" Hakai asked.

"Don't worry," Ultima responded, heading off into the sunset. "I know just the person…" As the group of dragons journeyed to their next destination, the Smash Ball flashed on Kirby's head. His vision was now over, and he woke up with the Hero splashing cold water on his face.

"The rest of your friends said that your little vision was over, so I just thought I'd wake you up…" Ireburn responded.

"By the way, I'm also up," Zero Suit Samus, now free from her slavery, spoke out. Kirby saw both he an his friends already made it up to the Floating Islands and are now resting near a campfire. The sun was still high near the sky, so the sun was taking slower to set than normally.

"Now all we have to do is continue our mission," Lucario told everyone.

"But we just sat down and relaxed," Bowser objected.

"At this point, Galeem's forces are pulling out faster and stronger," Lucario answered. "Any moment now, they're going to overwhelm us if we're not careful. Let's get a move on then…" The Aura Pokémon then jumped from island to island, racing across the peculiar terrain. The Pokémon Trainer quickly called out Squirtle just so he could put out the fire with Water Gun. As soon as that was out of the way, the other fighters, including Kirby and his Supporter, followed after Lucario through the Floating Islands.


While that was going on, Galeem himself watched through the magical mirror on his crystal throne, admiring how Eleven the Luminary was fighting with the reawakened fighters.

"Looks like these brave warriors are getting stronger," Galeem said. "I suppose I could… advance my game a bit…"

Chapter 57: The Floating Islands

Summary:

While the fighters go through a series of floating islands, Kirby finds out how Ultima has chosen her brothers as the guardians of light and darkness.

Chapter Text

Becoming rather exhausted, Kirby's party tried avoiding between the Floating Islands as they jumped across each one. In the distance, they had managed to spot a much larger island right in front of them. They headed on over to this new landmark that they had just spotted. What they had seen was a plain landscape reminiscent of Kirby's homeworld, including a race dotted with food.

"That's strange," Fox said. "Who would attend an empty race track littered with food when there's no crowd to see it?" Kirby, noticing the familiar setup, tried to figure out who could set up a location like this. Then, speakers hiding in the trees resounded.

I see you've found my little challenge! There was a voice that also sounded familiar to Kirby, but no one else had recognized the person. Because the pink puffball had gotten his memories back through the visions, he remembered that shrill voice to be none other than Lord Hyness himself, former priest of the Jambastion Empire and follower of Void Termina. But where was he on this island…?

Everybody get to your starting positions, Lord Hyness' voice continued. Without warning, some sort of strange energy transported all the Smashers in the team at the starting line.

You better move your butts and eat as much food as possible, the voice spoke out. Get to at least eleven for a special prize! Oh, and also try to run away from a wall that'll crush you at any moment…

"What!?" both Zero Suit Samus and Samus exclaimed. With a booking thud, a gray stone wall appeared right behind the fighters and started sliding towards them. Soon, the fighters ran as fast as they could while collecting and eating as much food as possible. The rubble of the shattered walls spread out as the wall raced after them, and the fighters were starting to become careful of which path they take on the track and how much food they can cram into their mouths. However, because it was difficult running and eating at the same time, each of the team members was losing energy fast as the wall was about to catch up.

Kirby was going through the same problem too as he was trying to get his Supporter companion to keep up with him, but he had just remembered he can use his sucking ability. He knew that it would be breaking the rules of the Gourmet Race, but there was no time to think. With a large inhale, the pink demon made himself into a black hole that carried all the grub into his mouth and the other fighters towards him as the walls set up in the tracks shattered from the brute force of the one heading straight for them. Kirby didn't swallow his companions, but he managed to swallow all the food in the race. The stone wall instantly stopped behind the gathered teammates. As they had all seen, they had noticed they were just beyond the finish line. Standing at the end of the Gourmet Race track was the King Dedede Primary, his red eyes and white aura flashing.

"Gourmet Race over!" Lord Hyness' voice growled from King Dedede's body. "That was a rather dirty sport of cheating!"

"So what?" Captain Falcon asked. "Your tyrannical ruler had already cheated!" That remark only made the Primary rather angry, clenching his hammer as the image of the Lord Hyness Spirit flashed on his round belly which revealed a robed mage with a green face, swirled eyes, two horns, and a large nose.

"Listen, Squidward," Fox explained while mocking Hyness' appearance. "We can make this quick. Don't think we'll submit without a fight!"

"So be it…" the King Dedede Primary exclaimed as he swung his hammer against the challenging fighters. The Hero quickly blocked the Primary's hammer with his sword, pushing against the brute force before pushing the captured fighter back. Fox began firing his blaster, but even the lasers weren't strong enough to stop the Gordo that the King Dedede Primary instantly threw at the Star Fox mercenary. With quick timing, Fox activated his reflector and bounced the shield, but the captured fighter quickly inhaled the Gordo and spat it back faster than before. Ireburn quickly jumped in front of the anthropomorphic pilot and used his Bounce spell to reflect the Gordo again. The damage was multiplied on the Gordo, meaning it did more damage to the Primary than before. The captured fighter immediately used his Super Dedede Jump move, ready to crash onto the group of Smashers before Little Mac used his counter-attack. The sheer impact made the King Dedede Primary fly fast and far, and the two Kirbies jumped high and swung their flaming mallets, finishing the battle.

King Dedede's body slid on the ground, with the Lord Hyness Spirit emerging from his confinement. The wings of the Galeem Lock shattered into the white mist, and they both entered Kirby's body.

"Why do they keep throwing these crazy traps at us!?" Gilbert asked, both he and Bowser walking up next to an unconscious King Dedede. The other fighters gathered near Kirby's paralyzed body, waiting for the pink puffball to wake up.


Kirby, despite being ghost-like, felt the salty wind on his face. He opened his eyes to the cold, night sky. He realized he was near the seashore, with a stone hut next to him. There was a light flickering in the hut, and he saw Ultima, the scarred sons of Ceresor, and Galeem with his wife and unhatched egg stop at the hut.

"I suppose Phoenix is already living a quiet life with Katzen and an unborn child?" Ultima asked, a smile on her face.

"Maybe," Galeem answered, gently rubbing the egg in Medley's pouch in front of her chest. "After all, I think Glimmeress could have a potential cousin in the near future…"

"Whether he has a family or not doesn't make an excuse for him to be the next Lord of Darkness," Hakai objected. "Now go in your brother's new home and convince him, Your Majesty." Ultima knocked on the stone, instantly alerting her lonely brother. Phoenix pushed aside the curtain blocking the entrance to be met with the golden eyes hidden under yellow and violet scars of his sister.

"I was not expecting you here," Phoenix said. "Welcome to our little home." Ultima headed inside to take a good look at the place, noticing it coarse and dirty. There was some water leaking out from a few buckets, and the young Queen of Arcus could even smell a dead rat.

"This isn't the best house my husband had built, but it'll have to do," Katzen told Ultima. Like her sister, Katzen was lying down on a special nest, warming a black egg spotted with amethyst diamonds.

"This child's name is Inkereign," Katzen addressed. "Hopefully our baby will see you as an aunt…"

"And cousin of Galeem's future kid," Ultima said. "Speaking of which, you wanna head outside? I have to talk to Phoenix about something…" The Queen of Arcus then headed outside to talk with her brother Phoenix while Katzen slipped on her own pouch to carry her egg. The two dragonesses then saw Sozo and Hakai standing inbetween Phoenix and Galeem, who still did not trust each other after what happened at the Solstice.

"Oh, it's you," Galeem spoke with a stern voice. "Finally decided to come crawling back me after hell broke loose in your little corner of the world?"

"Galeem, not now," Medley tried to reason with her husband as she got between the two brothers.

"I do not trust you after you took all the attention from me and turning me into a fraud," Phoenix answered. Ultima and Katzen with her egg ran outside in time for the Queen of Arcus' to calm her siblings down.

"Galeem! Phoenix!" Ultima ordered them. "I only chose Phoenix for this role because of the tradition of the Lord's of Balance passing their powers onto their best students. You two are the greatest in Sozo's and Hakai's eyes. Therefore, you have been chosen with the task of balancing both the darkness and light on each side. Things will go in disarray if one side takes over and destroys the other, and we don't want that, do we?"

"Just because you're the queen now doesn't mean we have no choice," Galeem objected. "You know how much of an embarrassment Phoenix was…"

"Well, if we can all work together, surely peace in Arcus will still thrive," Ultima responded. "Sozo and Hakai can't do this without you both living in harmony with one another. We're friends to the end, remember? Think about your future kids…" Phoenix and Galeem looked back at each other, thinking about what they both can accomplish together if they join her side as the new Lords of Balance. Once again, they forgave each other over what life goals they have.

"It's settled," Sozo told the dragons. "Tomorrow morning, Galeem will be crowned the Lord of Light, and Phoenix will rule as Lord of Darkness." Without another word, the two families started walking off with the sons of Ceresor to the Sky Temple. Ultima stayed around for a while and looked up at the waning crescent.

She remembered the warning the stranger of black mist told her. That he will be around tomorrow night when the moon is new. It was also at a lucky time too because this was the night when the Lord of Darkness inherited his powers. She was starting to feel a little guilty about herself convincing Phoenix join her this early. The worst thing could probably be that Phoenix might become jealous. It wouldn't go that far, would it. After all, what was a ghost like the black entity going to do to get to their minds? After the dragoness queen flew off, Kirby's Smash Ball flashed bright again, and he was instantly transported back to the world he was currently in.


The pink puffball opened his eyes without someone shaking him back into reality, proving that he was getting used to these kinds of visions. Regardless, the other fighters knew he was okay after so many times.

"Had a good rest?" Ireburn responded. "I hope you don't mind, but I think we rescued another friend of yours…" As Kirby turned around, he saw King Dedede himself, who was back to normal.

"Now that that's outta the way, how do we get off?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked. "We were kinda trapped here for a while, and the plan said something about an… orange pipe?" Luckily, King Dedede knew just where to advance to the next area. He ran off to the other side of the island, signaling his friends to follow him. Once the Smashers got near the end, they saw a giant pink cloud too far away for them to even jump off without falling to their death. On the fluffy surface was the orange pipe.

"This looks easy," the Pokémon Trainer said. He called out his Charizard and got on the Pokémon's back, flying to the cloud. Much to his surprise, Red noticed the pink cloud his was standing on was soft as well as solid.

"Any bright ideas, Dedede?" Sheik asked. Unfortunately, the King of Dreamland only knew there was a cloud next to the island. Even though he knew how to fly, it wasn't enough due to his heavy weight. Kirby then suddenly remembered a particular type of Spirit for this situation, when they were traveling and fighting many different types of Supporters. Tucked inside his own body was a Normal Legendary Ho-Oh Spirit that emerged from the pink demon.

The Ho-Oh Spirit soared high into the air before vanishing, spreading magical glitter with its wings. The glitter created a rainbow that bridged between the Gourmet Race island and the pink cloud. Kirby held his red copy's hand and slid down the rainbow, with the both of them followed by the Piranha Plant, Yoshi, Fox, and later on the rest of the team. Once they got onto the cloud, they focused on heading straight to the orange pipe.

"Is everyone here?" Eleven asked, seeing if all the teammates in their group was present. "Good. Now we can take the route to the island where that Rathalos is present." When the Hero took another step, he instantly heard two whacks from mallets that each occurred at the same time, sending two ice blocks his way. When they hit Ireburn, he noticed he flinched a bit from the attack. All the fighters saw where the ice blocks came from: from behind the orange pipe.

"Show yourself!" Samus exclaimed, pointing her arm cannon at the enemies behind the pipe. "The element of surprise doesn't work on us anymore!" Appearing from behind the pipe were Ice Climbers and Kirby Supporters, one for each fighter, and a Primary of Ness himself.

"Really? You have all these different options and you went with THAT!?" the Ness Primary scolded. The blue Ice Climbers Supporter didn't seem to react to the captured fighter snapping at them, and the other fighters seemed rather confused despite having been ambushed for possibly the fifteenth time in a row, if not greater.

The red Kirby Supporter noticed there was another one of its kind with the enemy team, and the pink demon itself noticed another puppet fighter of himself but white in color. For whatever reason, the red Kirby clone was sensing a connection with the white one.

"We're here to complete our mission," Link demanded. "Who are you to get in our way?"

"I am known as a Flying Man, with me and my other four brothers as defenders of Magicant," the Ness Primary answered.

"The symbol of the Spirit does prove it…" Bowser remarked, admiring the pixelated bipedal man-bird covered in yellow and magenta feathers that was present on the captured fighter's blue-and-yellow striped t-shirt.

"Silence, intruder!" the Ness Primary shouted. "Now you will taste the law that is the light! Lapras! Kirby Supporter! Get them! The Mii Swordfighter is mine…" The ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn rushed towards the PSI boy, unleashing a powerful tornado. The Ness Primary jumped and lingered in the air for a while, using PK Thunder.

"It's okay, guys," Fox told his friends as they surrounded the white Kirby and blue Ice Climbers. "It's us against them. We can take down these guys." Once the captured fighter's flying body coated in lightning zoomed straight towards Gilbert, the Mii Swordfighter quickly reacted by using his counter attack. As soon as the blade and the PK Thunder connected, both Gilbert and the Ness Primary were warped to a Final Destination version of the pink cloud they were all standing on, noticeably Magicant as described before.

The white Kirby Supporter saw its red brethren as a traitor, and it didn't take much for Galeem's clone to dash in flames at the red Supporter. However, the real Kirby came in to protect his peculiar companion by swinging his hammer. The white Kirby Supporter flew right into the blue Ice Climbers Supporter, who were whacking Villager with their mallets. Once the white Kirby Supporter slid on the ground, the blue Ice Climbers quickly got up and spread their icy powers at the approaching fighters. Fox started glowing blue and warped between the blue clone duo, hitting their heads by kicking them hard in the face.

It just seems no matter what the Supporters do, the reawakened fighters are stronger than they were before. The white Kirby Supporter collapsed onto the ground, clenching its bruised skin, and the blue puppet fighters of the Ice Climbers pointed their mallets at the Smashers. Igniting his sword on blue, cold flames, Ireburn walked up to the Ice Climbers and used his Kacrackle Blade spell, sparing the wounded Kirby puppet. With the temperature at a low level, the Ice Climbers Supporter both shattered into frozen shards, with a Normal Advanced Lapras Spirit floating out of the debris. The glowing-green Pokémon Spirit took off into the sky, heading straight down south.

Kirby and his red clone approached the white Supporter, trying to show the same sympathy that worked before. The pink alien knew that if this level of kindness worked before, then it could work again. The white Kirby Supporter pulled out his Cutter sword, trying to swipe at the two Kirbies despite not having the strength to get up. Not taking any chances, Kirby himself quickly hugged the white Kirby clone. The love and comfort was starting to change the Supporter, and the connection with its red counterpart grew on it.

Just in time, the Mii Swordfighter arrived from the Omega stage of Magicant with Ness' body in his arms. Gilbert set foot on the soft pink cloud his teammates were on, gently resting the PSI boy. The Flying Man Spirit and the white mist emerged from the vortex the ex-Ultimate Reborn and Ness emerged from, entering inside Kirby and causing his eyes to glow white.


Kirby started rubbing his cuddly face, tapping the Smash Ball on his forehead. He was standing on the inside of the Sky Temple, where Ultima rested on the throne Lord Ceresor once sat. The murmuring of all the other dragons in the world waiting outside echoed through the room. Galeem was standing in front of his sister, bowing down at her feet. Sozo approached his student with a necklace that appeared in his mouth. The jewel at the end of the necklace was symbolic of the yang icon. Sozo sat on his hind legs, taking the yang necklace out of his own mouth with his front paws. Galeem lifted his head a bit so that Sozo would slip the necklace on.

"This jewel will tell the people that you are the new Lord of Light," Sozo explained. "Once we go out, the yang necklace will reflect off the light of the sun at its highest peak, choosing one who wears it as the new Lord of Light." Galeem walked out with Sozo outside to the cheering crowd, and Ultima watched with Hakai and Phoenix from a distance as the sunlight flashed on the yang necklace. The jewel started glowing golden, with wind blowing in all directions. Galeem felt a new form of energy fill him as the wind stopped.

"You have your new Lord of Light!" Sozo called out to all the dragons of Arcus. Each species applauded, knowing they can be safe for years to come.

Kirby, aware of the time lapse, saw the sun disappearing into the horizon in just a few seconds, watching the world's dragons gather outside of the Sky Temple again, awaiting the new Lord of Darkness. Kirby noticed the night sky was really cloudy, blocking out any stars in the sky. The moon was also new, rendering it fully invisible.

Phoenix, knowing the hardships that come with being the Lord of Darkness, awaited in front of Ultima. Hakai came in with an artifact similar to the yang necklace, but the yin jewel was bound to it instead. Phoenix felt the necklace slip onto his neck, and Hakai walked with his student outside. Ultima got up from her throne. With her brother Galeem, she walked outside to see the blackened night of Phoenix's coronation. Little did she know the moment her black-armored brother set outside, the dragons of Arcus were already complaining about him due to his embarrassing day at the Dragosmo Solstice. The citizens didn't even bother staying as they departed from the Sky Temple while Phoenix's yin necklace started flashing purple, choosing him as the new Lord of Darkness. Phoenix, listening to the onlookers as they left, managed to pick up every word of what they just said.

"What a complete wimp of one that'll control from the shadows!" one dragon exclaimed.

"He was an insensitive asshole at the Solstice and we have to spend millennia with HIM as our new general?" another dragon asked.

"I really love Galeem a lot more than that weak, pathetic coward," one more dragon called out with all the voices of the crowd calling out in agreement as they flew off into the sky. Phoenix, unable to control his anger anymore, turned towards his own brother. Because of the neglect and rejection he went through, Phoenix knew Galeem was the one to blame for everything.

"You took my future away from me!" Phoenix snapped. "It is because of the mere mention of your name that people will be more likely to follow you than me!"

"What a sad, sad life you must live in," Galeem answered. "I guess some people are born riche than others. The same rule also applied to stains like you."

"Please stop this…" Ultima tried breaking the argument between Galeem and Phoenix. Sozo and Hakai also tried to keep the two brothers apart by standing between them.

"No!" Phoenix objected, his breath starting to heat up with purple lightning. "Galeem is nothing more than a selfish, power-hungry whore that will stop at nothing to get his way! If there is anyone to truly feel sorry for, it is none other than you! I even heard people wishing for me dead because you keep pushing your way through whenever I finally have my moment in the spotlight!" The clouds in the air rumbled with thunder due to the rage that was burning inside Phoenix.

"Then I suppose it's for the best, then," Galeem calmly answered. "Maybe the people are right. This world would be so much better if you didn't live in it." Enraged, Phoenix's mouth crackled with electricity, with both Sozo and Hakai holding him back by biting into his wings, but Ultima ran in front of her brother Galeem.

"Phoenix!" Ultima yelled, crouching into a battle position. "If you lay a claw on your brother, you'll have to go through me!" Phoenix started to calm down, his violet eyes beginning to swell up with tears. The rumbling in the clouds stopped, and the newly-crowned Lord of Darkness turned away from his own siblings.

"Maybe Galeem is right," Phoenix growled, beginning to cry. "The same rules apply to everyone, and I suppose this world would feel much better if he never lived in it…" Sobbing, Phoenix ran into the Sky Temple, vanishing into is room without a trace.

"Thanks for standing up to me, Ultima," Galeem congratulated. "I couldn't have done it without you…"

"Oh, as if you would care!" Ultima snarled, turning towards the Lord of Light. "The reason why I stopped our brother from ending your life was because I don't want anything catastrophic to break out between you two! I'm on my own side of the situation because maybe Phoenix is right. Maybe you're becoming corrupt by keeping the world to yourself, and our brother is becoming selfish because of it. Over a decade, and you haven't even changed! I am the Queen of Arcus, goddammit! I took the throne out of courage, and I thought making you the new Lords of Balance was not because of tradition but because I wanted to end your quarrel. Turns out it only became worse because of each of your side on the same coin. All of the weaknesses, none of the strengths. I wanted you to change, in the name of the Almighty Father!"

"Then I suppose it's done," Galeem growled calmly. "I warned you not to call me an attention-seeker again. We're through…" Galeem walked back into the Sky Temple, not saying another word.

"Oh yeah!?" Ultima called out. "Well good riddance to you too!" Ultima looked back on Sozo and Hakai, shaking her head.

"What are we going to do?" Ultima whispered.

"We don't know," Sozo answered. "All we can hope is for the better, and it doesn't seem like your brothers will make up anytime soon…" Ultima went into the Sky Temple with the generals, and Kirby became more curious as to where it will unfold. The pink puffball looked back to see the mysterious shadowy figure standing in front of where the five dragons walked into, his green sclera and red slit eyes glowing. The thunder flashed to reveal the Misty body of the strange, with the pink slime in his crystalline hands.

"You can bet things will turn out for the better, but you cannot escape fate.." the stranger spoke, with the pink slime jumping out. Strange, fleshy noises started coming out from the slime, and the thunder flashed one more time to reveal a silhouette of an unspeakable horror. It was hard to make out what exactly the creature was, but it was some sort of monster so terrifying that it was to just express in words. Whatever the slime had become, Kirby would have to wait and find out as the vision's environment glowed white, and he was transported back to the real world.


The red Kirby Supporter tapped the pink puffball's face again. Kirby woke up to the soft feeling of his clone companion's stubby hand and the soft pink cloud he and his friends were standing on. Even the wounded white puppet Kirby slowly approached the pink demon.

"Sure was a rough battle," the Mii Swordfighter told the group. "All Ness did was spam PK Fire and trap me in columns of death. No offense…"

"It's alright," Ness answered. "Aren't we supposed to take the pipe I was protecting you guys from?"

"Of course," Captain Falcon responded. "We're almost there, guys. Let's finish this…" The supersonic bounty hunter jumped straight into the orange pipe, with Samus and her Zero Suit counterpart jumping in after her. King Dedede, Ness, Inkling, Mii Swordfighter, Eleven the Luminary, and all the other fighters on the team except for Sheik and Kirby with his two clones.

The peculiar warriors looked to their right to see the Northern Barrier in all its glory. It was over a hundred times larger than them, and it was so close it seemed like you could almost touch its rapidly blinking, red UV spherical surface. Beyond that barrier is the Galeem Void, the gateway to the Seraph of Order's hiding place.

"We're coming for you, Galeem," Sheik said. After a brief second of standing, the Sheikah and the three Kirbies jumped into the pipe after their friends.

Chapter 58: The Event That Began All

Summary:

Once the fighters arrive at the island of Galeem's Rathalos, Kirby starts to find out who Phoenix had become. Before that, he witnesses an encounter of one who knows about the Mother...

Chapter Text

Emerging from the orange pipe, the Smashers and their new companions saw they were at a beach, with the seaside town they had visited to their left. The setting sun revealed an ocean that gleamed a deep blue against the dimming sky, with the sands glistening with a pure white. Near the splashing waves was a large raft that looked like it would fit all the Smashers on board, which was supported by more logs and there was a wrapped sailcloth attached to the central pole.

"So this is what we'll be taking to the island of the Rathalos?" Fox asked.

"Sure seems like it," the Hero answered, walking towards the raft and piling the group's supplies on it. He tried pushing the wooden boat into the water, but it was just too heavy.

"You're not trying hard enough," Bowser growled, pressing his hands onto the side of the raft. Even the Koopa King was not strong enough to get the raft into the sea with his brute force. However, he kept his eyes shut, so he had no idea that the Lapras Spirit from before sailed the skies down to the shore. The fighters watched as the Spirit simply got in front of the raft, with rope mysteriously spawning in place that bound the Lapras to the raft. With enough strength, the Pokémon pulled the raft into the water with Bowser letting go of the transportation and falling flat on his face.

"What did I tell you?" Bowser boastfully sounded out, wiping his hands and acting all chill until he saw that the Lapras did all the work. Kirby and his two Supporters jumped onto the raft. Piranha Plant and Ireburn hopped on shortly after, with Clementine, Red, and Gilbert getting on with Link, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Sheik, Dr. Mario, Mr. Game & Watch, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Lucario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, and Shulk. Once the whole crew was on the raft, the Lapras Spirit sailed south across the ocean, tugging on the raft.


As night fell, most of the fighters were already fast asleep. The only Smashers that were still awake were Ireburn, Fox, Kirby, and Piranha Plant. The pink puffball rested his red feet against the side of the raft, and Ireburn walked up towards him to sit down.

"I can tell you have a lot on your mind," the Hero said. "Is it about your homeworld?" Kirby looked at the Luminary and nodded.

"I really wanna go back to mine," Eleven continued, with the Piranha Plant waddling next to him with his flower pot. "After waking up in this place, I had to survive. With a group of complete strangers that met the same rate I did with the exception of the plant. For five years. Until Galeem found us and you came along."

"Don't be too hard on the poor guy," Fox called out. "He traveled to the future to stop the Lord of Light's reign. Hopefully he has the brains and the advantage to stop this guy like all the other godlike deities before him…"

"Godlike deities?" Ireburn asked.

"For Kirby, fighting a being with unlimited power is like every other unusual Tuesday," Fox jokingly clarified. "Let's just hope this time is no different…"

"I only fought one powerful being on my home planet," the Hero said. "That's pretty amazing. How do you know this?"

"I didn't… until Sonic came and helped clear our memories," Fox answered, resting his back on the supplies.

"Who's this… Sonic person you talk about?" the Luminary asked, becoming curious.

"Where to begin…?" The Star Fox mercenary looked up into the stars, gazing out into the empty sea. "This kid had the knowledge of a Master Hand. He would go on and on about the adventures we went through mainly because he escaped a certain fate when we didn't. He was good friends with Mario, but I'm guessing it was because of the peace that lasted between their ancient rivalry. I just hope we rescue Sonic and the rest of our friends in time…"

"Why?" Eleven asked. "Do you have something special with this… child?" Fox chuckled in response, ready to doze off.

"That blue hedgehog may have been dependent on Mario, but I am more worthy of being his companion," Fox answered. "After all, I'm stronger and more faithful. Really wish I had more time to spend it with Sonic, y'know? Get to know that kid better. He had a lot more tales to tell us, and we, mainly I, would have liked to know more about him until his memory was supposedly gone… Really wish he's okay." The Star Fox mercenary then curled up into himself, dozing off.

"Suppose we better hit the hay," Ireburn told Kirby, lying on his back as he fell asleep. The carnivorous flower, even though plants like him don't require sleep, slipped inside his flower pots and napped off. It didn't take long for Kirby to become hypnotized by the gentle rocking of the waves as he too fell into rest for the night.


Kirby's heart started pounding as he saw himself in a new world. This was not a world of either good or evil. This was a world where even nightmares die. The sky was dyed with the redness of blood, its bleak color blocking out the sky. Cobblestone streets were laid into desolate and ruin, with signs bent and crushed. Mighty buildings were toppled over, their shattered glass scattering out onto the ground. An unbearable stench poisoned whatever breathable air remained. The upturned ground itself felt unnatural and completely void of life. Bloated, squirming webs of flesh clogged the massive holes torn into the world. The pink puffball trembled at the hellish landscape set before him.

Just from a single look at this depiction of Tartarus itself can even the toughest and bravest break a sweat. Kirby, being the innocent alien boy he is, was easily frightened by this. Just then, he saw a warrior standing in the center of the grotesque area. This stranger had the body structure similar to Captain Falcon, but he had armor carved out of the scales of a defeated dragon in the past. The armor plating was darkened and spiked, making a warlike suit out of the covering. It covered his entire body, and even his face was masked. The mask had three perpetual horns sticking out, and it matched the grimdark tone of his blackened armor. Two katana blades were latched onto his back, rubbing and sharpening against the dragon spine-like structure that ran down his spine. When the stranger spoke, he had the voice of a calm, patient psychopath.

"You replaced me…" the stranger told Kirby, not even bother turning around to face the pink puffball. Kirby became rather confused by this line of dialogue, unaware of what he was talking about. The stranger then turned around, looking down on the pink demon.

"You are too young to understand, aren't you?" the stranger continued. "My creators called me the Dragon King. I was supposed to be the true protector of the multiverse. But when they had different ideas, I was replaced. I became nothing more than that toy nobody wanted to play with at the bottom of the chest. I was abandoned here… the Land Unspoken." As the arid wind blew across the destroyed world, the Dragon King merely laughed.

"But I suppose you wouldn't care… just like my creators," the Dragon King continued. "Now I spend the rest of my days in this world, filled with anger and hatred. You took everything from me… The Mother will change all for the better." Kirby still had no idea what was going on, not having the advantage to treat all this like common knowledge.

"I guess you can see me in this landscape, can't you?" the Dragon King asked. He pulled out the katana blades from his back, and six more figures hidden in the bloodstained mist appeared behind him in silhouette form. The pink puffball quickly turned around to the loud noise of the buildings still standing upright falling apart. Kirby's face filled with horror as he saw the silhouette of a colossal, gelatinous blob destroying what remained of those powerful skyscrapers. The fumes this monstrosity unleashed were of the lavender color of the soldiers the woman from Ultima's dream sent out, mixing with the reddened clouds. The roaring itself was enough to drive one mad.

"Some people believe dreams and nightmares are the gateways to other dimensions," the Dragon King finished. "Looks like you found one of them…" The enigmatic masked warrior then raised his blades against Kirby. With a single strike, this terrifying image was enough to scare Kirby awake.


The pink puffball had sweat dripping down his soft, round body, his heart beating rapidly from what seemed like an acid trip. He noticed it was still the middle of the night, with the Lapras Spirit pulling the raft they were on showing no signs of wanting to rest. Kirby then started hugging himself, emotionally scarred for the rest of his life. With the light of the first quarter moon, the alien boy saw a smaller island right in front of the raft.

The glowing-green Lapras Spirit slid on the sand before falling asleep shortly after. Because the other Smashers, including Kirby's clones, were still asleep, the pink puffball himself had to take a look around the island they washed up on. The moonlight cast shadows on the smaller palm trees, and Kirby and no idea what was on the island. Were there more fighters under Galeem's control? Was it the Rathalos on his side? Are there more Supporters, Light Puppets, corrupted Mii Fighters? It could probably be all of them at this point. The Seraph of Order has been tracking them ever since Kirby arrived here. He might be more clever than any of his friends had thought.

As Kirby sat on the sand and waited for his companions to wake up, already having plenty of rest, he suddenly heard the rustling of the bushes coming from deeper in the island. From the thickened leaves, Kirby noticed the red eyes and white aura of the person watching already giving away his or her hiding spot.

Not wasting any time to wait for this Primary to approach him, Kirby ran towards the captured fighter's hiding spot and transformed into his Stone form. His rocky appearance slid through the bushes, knocking the Primary backwards. When Kirby reverted back to his normal stature, he saw the Mii Gunner Primary, who was aiming for his head with her arm cannon.

"Don't think you're going to be let off the hook that easily!" the Mii Gunner Primary spoke out. "This is especially when you had made the mistake of facing against the General of Flames: Flamberge!" The image of the Master Legendary Spirit shined on her bosom, revealing a Mage Sister similar to Francisca from before but with wild, red hair like fire and angry eyes just as interesting to match. The two fighters were standing in a clearing on the island, with grass and wildflowers surrounded by trees.

"Bring it on!" the Mii Gunner Primary shouted, her main weapon shifting into the flaming cannon that she used before. Kirby watched as the captured fighter blasted out a huge flame pillar, trying to burn the pink demon. Kirby ran as fast as he could around the Mii Gunner Primary, watching as she scorched all the plants in the current area. The alien puffball then quickly used his Stone ability again, becoming temporary invincible. Kirby then noticed one of the higher trees that have cupped leaves were stationary holders for puddles of water. He noticed one of the cupped leaves was full simply from the water dripping onto the captured fighter's shoulder. Smoke fizzled out from the Mii Gunner Primary, and she quickly smacked it off her before she aimed her weapon again. This gave Kirby an idea.

Trying to avoid the burning grass, Kirby stood right in front of the tree packed with water to distract the captured fighter. The Mii Gunner Primary aimed her flaming cannon again and fired. Kirby instantly jumped out of the way as Flamberge's weapon burned right through the tree. The charcoal that formed from the tree's base was weak enough for Kirby to kick it down with his red foot. As the tree topper down, the water splashed from the leaves and drenched the Mii Gunner Primary.

The glowing-red eyes searched for the put-out bushes despite having been drenched from her fire. When Kirby stepped out, the captured fighter attempted firing her flame pillar cannon again. However, since the fuse was already put out, it started expanding in front of her when she least expected it. The aftermath explosion from the destroyed arm cannon immediately killed the Mii Gunner Primary. The pink puffball turned into his Stone form once more to avoid the blast.

Once the explosion had calmed down, Kirby reverted back to his original appearance and looked around. The trees had their branches blown out, and some were even rooted out of the ground. The pink puffball noticed the Mii Gunner's body lying unconscious in the sooty bushes with the shattered Galeem Lock mist and the Flamberge Spirit hovering over her. The Master Legendary Mage Sister surrounded herself with the mist as she flew with it into Kirby's body. The blue, star-filled eyes flashed white once again, and Kirby's mind saw through another vision once more.


The pink demon woke to the weeping of a dragon, mainly Phoenix. The now-crowned Lord of Darkness lay sobbing on his black velvet bed, with the light of a dark crystal chandler accompanying him. His weeping echoed throughout the room, filled with neglect and isolation.

"Galeem does not understand," Phoenix cried, his head lifting up for air to avoid sinking into the pillow. "None of them do… Why does this only happens to me!? I wish I was as powerful as Galeem just to show him who the true ruler around here should be!" The dragon then continued weeping into the silky mattress, avoiding to stop his heartfelt agony anytime soon.

"Why… I think that can be arranged," an enigmatic voice answered. Phoenix stopped his weeping to listen to who said that. His violet eyes peered around the darkness, searching for the one who said those words. For Kirby, he knew exactly whose voice it was.

Phoenix then looked up at the ceiling to see a life-sized mass of pulsing, nauseating flesh. Enlarged holes were clustered together, forming webs of skin-like material on this grotesque creature. Packs of boils were bursting with sticky white pus, and there were tens of eyeballs trapped in the gelatin's skin that gazed in every direction of the room. Slimy tentacles the exact same color of the pink slime from before slithered out, their voracious appetites clearly showing by the way they moved around. The only entrance it opened on its vomit-inducing body revealed rows upon rows of teeth, each one sharper than the rest. The bloated atrocity let some sort of lure dangled out from its throat, the stench of gastric juices tainting that body part… or if that was even was a fraction of its digestive system or another limb. Either way, the lure was bloated from the inside, but there was a good reason why. It was carrying something… far more sinister.

The bulge in that lure descended towards the stone-cold floor. Once those crystalline feet peeked out from the bottom, the stranger of black mist emerged from his companion, looking as mysterious and dangerous as ever. The obscenity then dropped itself onto the ground behind its master. Phoenix has become rather terrified by this encounter, his eyes having seen things never before witnessed by any species of dragonkin, whether eastern or western. The young Lord of Darkness backed away from the stranger and his monstrosity pet, almost falling off his back on the bed. The horrific creature was so frightening that Phoenix found it impossible to use his powers against them. Even Kirby had a hard time thinking that this carbuncle was once a harmless, pink slime.

"Don't be afraid," the stranger told Phoenix. "Despite appearances, we are not looking for any harm… at the moment…" The eyesore lifted its black-mist master with its lavender tendrils, carrying him on its weight.

"Wha- What do you want?" Phoenix asked.

"I see you're rather lonely," the stranger responded. The Lord of Darkness had been getting a lot of that lately. From just his looks alone, Phoenix was often ignored before he could even talk to anyone suitable for his kind. He may be an expecting father, but he still feels isolated from those that are looking for someone to talk to, no matter how sociable.

"You don't have to hide anything from me," the stranger continued. "I can read your thoughts and know how you feel… You don't have to do anything. Just listen to what I have to say."

"I do not care what you think," Phoenix objected, his mouth fizzling with lightning. "Tell me who you are and who are you working for!"

"I work for no one but myself," the stranger answered. "If you must know who I am, just call me… a friend. Now then… do you want to know why you have been pushed away from the world so many times? Do you want to know why the only people who truly care for you are your family? I can simply answer that for you. You see… I was the one who set your whole life up. The reason why these dragons abandoned you was because I told them so, hidden from their sights and making them treat you like a demon." When Phoenix had heard the truth, his violet eyes filled with rage. He boosted in the air towards the stranger and his slimy let, but the grotesque figure jumped back with incredible power, dragging its black-mist master with its sticky tentacles.

"You are the one who took everything from me!" Phoenix snarled, his roaring deafening the room. However, despite being threatened, the stranger simply remained calm. His green eyes and red sclera glowed with a puzzling wit, clearly showing that the stranger was beyond intelligent. He merely laughed quietly at the Lord of Darkness trying to scare him out.

"If you would please calm down, listen to what I have to say. The truth is not all that far-fetched. The reason why I did all this is because I wanted to reawaken you. To rise you to your truest potential."

"What are you talking about?" The figure lowered himself down, levitating a few inches off the floor without the assistance of his pet.

"What I'm trying to say is… from the day you were born, I saw great potential within your feekle mind. I understand how powerful you are among all the lower lifeforms, including dragonkin. I pushed everyone away from you so that I can awaken you. I had even convinced your brother to steal all the individuals in your life." The next part was completely made up by the stranger, which was completely produced as though he was telling the truth.

"But Galeem is growing smarter," the stranger continued. "He knows about my whereabouts and threatens to purge many universes of imperfection, including you. You don't have to play dumb anymore. Galeem will purge you when you least expect it…" Phoenix looked down in shame, believing the brother who took all his friends was going to kill him.

"…What do I have to do?" Phoenix asked.

"It's simple." The figure then floated up to the dark crystal chandler with his terrifying entity companion rapidly crawling up the wall and ceiling with long, cracking legs reminiscent of spiders that it had just now generated.

"Snuff… out… every… last… light," the stranger answered, leaving pauses in-between words as he used his crystalline fingers to douse the flickering candles in the chandler. Now the only light in the blackened room was from the red sclera and green eyes of the mysterious figure.

"There is still time," the stranger went on. "Galeem wants order and perfection in his reign. You can put an end to this. Not only can you give yourself the joy of freedom, but you can also bestow it upon others as well. Give them the choice to destroy a 'perfect society'. Have them make their own decisions. If they refuse and spend the rest of their lives within the light, put them out of their misery which burns like the candles of their souls. The only way I can raise you to my level is with your bargain to the Mother…"

"The Mother?" Phoenix asked. The stranger flicked his hand, transforming the eldritch gelatin back into its usual pink slime form with the singular slit eye.

"The Mother is a being greater than you can imagine," the stranger answered, his slime wrapping around his crystalline arm. "She will grant the wishes of those who deserve more than what they're given. With a single deal, she can change them into gods. She can enhance the abilities you have so far and make you unstoppable. Your brother Galeem will do everything he can to stop you for his own selfish rules. If you kill him and give him what he and his followers deserve, there will be nothing and no one to stand in your way! All you must do… is take my hand…" The stranger lifted his right arm up, and the pink slime slipped through his fingertips. Phoenix was starting to become tempted by this offer. All he wanted was to love and be loved in return. But what good did he really do? Was his main goal just to make friends and socialize? The purpose of his existence will be revealed once he accepts the stranger's offer.

Swallowing the lump in his throat, Phoenix felt his extended right paw being grabbed by the figure's crystalline hand and pink slime, a new wave of energy pulsing in the young Lord of Darkness. Without a warning, the stranger swiped downward with his left hand, creating a nasty flesh wound on the right side of Phoenix's face. The black dragon screamed in agony as he clutched onto his wound, his flaming-violet wings burning with guilt. For whatever reason, there was no bleeding and all that remains on his right eye was a glowing-violet scar extended vertically. A pulse of power coarser through the flesh wound, making Phoenix feel weird.

"…What… did you do to me…?" Phoenix asked, watching the stranger command his slime to transform into its body horror version with only hand gestures.

"I made you reborn," the stranger finished, allowing himself to get swallowed by the lure his own monstrosity sent out. "You must now give yourself a new name, for your identity as a slave bound to this planet was Phoenix. Now that name is no more. Think about how you want to end this conflict between the light and darkness, order and chaos…" The grotesque monster had completely engulfed the black-mist stranger. Once the lights in the chandler flickered back on through magic, both the figure and his pet were nowhere to be seen. All that remained was the young Lord of Darkness, lying on the floor and thinking what he had done as he rubbed his scar. His mind had now been fabricated by that encounter, and even stained. As Kirby continued watching, the vision's world grew bright once more, and his young, fragile mind was transported back to his previous location.


The Mii Gunner began rubbing her head, unaware of what happened. Her face lit up with shock as she saw the scorched grass and trees that had already dried up into ashes. She then saw the pink puffball who saved her slowly starting to wake up. Kirby opened his eyes to see the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn hitting over his face, relieved that both he and she were fine.

"Where did you come from?" the Mii Gunner asked. "I thought I would never get off the island…" Kirby then remembered the raft he and his friends came in. He grabbed ahold of the Mii Gunner's left hand and took her with him to the other Smashers.

As the sun arose in the sky, looking as fiery as before, Fox McCloud started smelling the aftermath smoke meters away. Because of his heightened animal senses, he could pink up the intoxicating scent much easier. When the Star Fox mercenary woke up, he started shaking Ireburn's shoulder.

"Do you smell something?" Fox whispered so as not to wake up the rest of their friends yet, his black nose twitching as he continued picking up the odor. "I thought I got a whiff of a… forest fire…"

"I don't smell anything," the Hero answered, shielding his eyes from the morning sun.

"I'm a fox," Fox answered. "Even if I'm an anthropomorphic bipedal, I still retain the senses of animals on your planets. I know smoke when I smell it."

"Where's Kirby?" Gilbert asked. The Mii Swordfighter had just woken up from the commotion and noticed the pink puffball was not sleeping with his two clones. The ex-Ultimate Reborn then saw Kirby walking on the shore, taking the reawakened Mii Gunner with him. Once Peach also got her beauty rest, she noticed the pink puffball was covered in spot from the attack only he had encountered. The princess of the Mushroom Kingdom got off the raft and hugged Kirby in safety.

"Thank goodness you're okay," Peach cheered, wiping the ashes off Kirby's face. As the sun was rising, the rest of the fighters, including the two Kirby clones, were already up. The Mii Swordfighter hugged the Mii Gunner tightly, glad that one of his best friends of the same species was okay.

"So glad you're fine," Gilbert said to the Mii Gunner. She pulled back from the hug, looking back on her friends.

"…I can tell you're here for the Rathalos that is working for Galeem," the Mii Gunner said. "I know that monster's hiding place near where Kirby rescued me."

"Let's go then," Lucario told everyone. The Mii Gunner took off deep into the island past the overturned bushes, their leaves crumbling into ashes. The rest of the Smashers followed after her, and the raft and Lapras Spirit stayed behind in case.

"When Kirby rescued me, he was not too far off from your destination," the Mii Gunner explained, climbing across the scorched tree trunks. Each one of the fighters looked around the burned area, surprised that Kirby even managed to survive. The Mii Gunner then pushed aside a curtain of bushes and vines, confident this was the way. What the fighters saw was a wooden bridge connected to a larger island surrounded by small hills dotted with trees. The Mii Gunner traversed across the stable bridge, holding her arm cannon by her side. Once the fighters crossed to the other side, the Mii Gunner stopped in front of a stone gate. The markings were carved with tales of different monsters from another world not of theirs, though the Rathalos is in fact one of them.

"All we have to do is push it open and you're on your way," the Mii Gunner said, trying to push open the stone doors. However, the gate was locked shut and it simply wouldn't budge open. Even Bowser, who was the strongest of the bunch, couldn't even break it open.

"It looks like this gate is protected by some sort of magic," Eleven said to everyone, both he and Lucario using their powers within to sense the barricading spell. "But by what…?"

"We can obviously tell what." Fox pointed right at the wooden bridge they crossed. Approaching from the other side was another team of Light Puppets, Kirby Supporters, and possessed Mii Fighters all led by who appeared to be the Toon Link Primary.

"You have got to be kidding me," Link sighed, already having enough of these fights. "Can we just go one day without having to deal with the likes of you? We're already tired from the battles you throw at us…"

"That's precisely why Galeem sent us," the Toon Link Primary spoke with an eerie, raspy voice. "He's sending out his troops to keep on attacking until you can't take it anymore, and you will now suffer from the wrath of me: Vaati." The Spirit that had appeared on Toon Link's chest was reminiscent of a cartoony Minish sorcerer similar to the Hero of the Winds, but he had a pale face with markings, red eyes, a purple robe, and violet hair with a bang covering one side of his face.

"If you wish to go beyond those gates, you will have to go through me… and the army the Seraph of Order assigned me," the Toon Link Primary finished, drawing out his simplistic version of the Master Sword. The Light Puppets and Kirby Supporters ran across the bridge with the Mii Fighters, ready to attack Kirby and his team of fighters.

"I just wanna collapse right after we defeat these guys and that Rathalos," Peach groaned, rubbing her aching feet. "I think I'm getting blisters in my slippers..."

"Us too, princess," Zero Suit Samus answered, tapping the hazardous end of her Plasma Whip against the high heel portions of her Jet Boots. As the Lord of Light's forces drew in closer towards the fighters, the Smashers drew their weapons and got ready. Due to the sheer amount of Light Puppets and Kirby Supporters that were with the Toon Link Primary, it seemed as though our brave warriors were outnumbered. Regardless, they should give it their all.

Peach climbed onto Bowser's back, tugging on his wild, red mane and forcing him to breathe a large stream of fire at the first few puppets. However, there were many light enough to hop over the fire and try landing on top of Bowser. Luckily, Peach pulled out a Toad she had at the last second from her dress. The connected attack from one of the Light Puppets sent a trigger reaction through the Toad, forcing him to speak damaging spores at the small team of enemies. As they were sent far, the Hero and Piranha Plant dashed forward to the other puppets, spamming poison, spikeballs, lightning bolts, and whatever they got up their sleeves. The Piranha Plant lingered in the air for a while to attack the incoming Kirby Supporters while Ireburn dashed towards the Toon Link Primary. Both fighters froze in place for a split second as their individual swords clashes against each other, their vibrating rings echoing throughout the blades.

Chaos started crying out on the shores of the larger island as the puppets pushed forward even with members of their kind getting killed off. The Pokémon Trainer started throwing out all three of his Pokémon and commanded them to use Triple Finish, a move that combined Squirtle's Hydro Pump, Ivysaur's Solar Beam, and Charizard's Fire Blast. Kirby and his two clone companions combined their Inhale abilities to create a massive vortex, sucking up all the troops working for Galeem that charged after them.

Despite being more powerful than the Toon Link Primary and his assigned forces, the Smashers were easily overwhelmed by the crazy numbers. The Mii Gunner ran up to the Luminary when she saw him struggling against the captured fighter, and she started throwing bombs and missiles at the approaching enemies. The other fighters backed up close to the gate as they saw their two friends surrounded.

"I have no choice…" Ireburn groaned, the mark on his left hand glowing red with fire. "Get as far away from me as possible…" The Hero's body then started glowing with rays of light as more of the puppets and possessed Mii Fighters attacked him. Distracted by the glowing Luminary, the Kirby Supporters and other Light Puppets ran towards the light. Little did they know as they were attacking Eleven was that he was about to use the spell Kamikaze, and it would very much kill him with them if he wasn't careful.

The female ex-Ultimate Reborn saw that the Hero was going to die from his own powers, but he was going to kill off all of Galeem's sent troops, including the Toon Link Primary. She didn't want to let this stranger die, even though she had never met him before and she just woke up in the middle of a battle. Suddenly, a glowing rainbow aura appeared around her body, and her irises were replaced with gold. She quickly jumped up into the air as Ireburn was about to self-destruct. As the puppets turned around, the Mii Gunner instantly used Full Blast, her Final Smash. The Smash Ball awakened within her, and she managed to use this powerful attack to her advantage.

All the puppets were trapped in the spinning beams, with the Toon Link Primary included. The laser blasted through the enemy lines, sending them all catapulting near the sands. Due to the attackers no longer damaging Ireburn's body, the Luminary held onto his spell so he could look around and see if he was safe and there was no need to end his life by destroying others. He saw the Mii Gunner's energy-drained body float slowly to the ground, and he managed to catch her in time. The Smashers on the team ran up to their two friends.

As the Mii Gunner weakly looked at her companions with a smile, the Vaati Spirit with the white mist floated out of Toon Link's body and entered inside Kirby. This was pretty much going to be the last vision for now.


The pink puffball found himself in another part of the Sky Temple, with an area where candles dimly lit the hallways. Ultima gently knocked on a random door out of apology.

"Galeem?" Ultima told the Lord of Light, who was in the room Ultima was knocking on the door too. "I'm sorry about all the terrible things I said about you. You're a great brother and everything. It's just that… you could give our brother a chance. After all, he is part of the family. If I can become royalty, then he can become royalty as well. All he needs are more people in his life. If you could try to reason with him and even be generous, maybe we wouldn't be so angry. I'm hoping you would understand…" The Queen of Arcus gently nudged the door open, and she saw Galeem's room was empty. The crystal-white room laden with silky vines was filled with the soft wind coming from the open porch window. When Ultima stepped into the room, she saw her brother Galeem near the porch from the inside, his radiant wings of flames radiating the dark night.

"Not even a star in the sky," Galeem said. "Who knew a ritual to make our brother the next Lord of Darkness should involve this?" Ultima walked up to the right side of her brother, looking out onto the brightened utopia of dragons down before from the floating island. The lights in their hovels graced the landscape like a blanket of the cosmos. As Ultima had noticed, few of the lights at a time were being put out as a reminder that the dragons in those homes were talking asleep.

"What I find it funny is that if intelligent creatures like ourselves fear of monsters lurking in the dark, why do they forget all that in the blink of an eye as though there were no such thing and simply turn off the lights?" Galeem asked.

"Maybe eye restraints, insomnia, or…" Ultima was about to answer before she was interrupted by her brother.

"That's not what I meant at all. We live through the day and sleep at night. There are those that thrive in the dark and hide from the light. We see light as hope and peace but darkness as despair and chaos."

"Maybe sometimes we overlook the light and underestimate its power. Sometimes it can just be… too hard to control. We often get lost from the path and stray too far into or from our goals, meaning our mistakes from the past will eventually catch up. The need to bring positivity would get lost in the need to make yourself feel more important. The same also applied to the negativity. That's what I'm trying to tell you, Galeem. We use the negativity as a conflict of sorts, and we use the positivity to work it around and outside the best we can. It's different for everyone, and there's no true balance between right and wrong. Too much of one thing can change you if you're not careful. Positivity only would make you sickly annoying with only a boring, happy personality, and negativity alone can turn you into…"

"…A cold-hearted monster," Galeem answered. The Lord of Light turned to his sister as well as focusing his gaze upon Civiltatula. "I understand what you're saying, Ultima. You're right. The light represents order and peace. I should've listened to you before. Now I feel like an idiot. Wish I could have another chance…"

"You already have one," Ultima responded with a light smile on her face. "Our daddy always said we must accept reality for the better. Maybe we can also use that reality to our advantage. It doesn't have to be just us being happy. If we do things better for the people, maybe we can feel the same." After looking out into the dragon town for a minute or two, Galeem and Ultima were unexpectedly started by Sozo breaking down the door. The golden-eyed general was panting in fear, the rim of his mouth dripping with blood.

"Sozo! What happened?" Ultima asked, she and Galeem helping the ex-Lord of Light up.

"It's your brother Phoenix!" Sozo answered in wincing. "He's gone mad! He's fighting with my brother Hakai and most of the guards in the Sky Temple are already murdered!" Ultima's face showed signs of worry as she instantly dashed out of Galeem's room.

"Ultima! Wait!" Galeem called for her as he followed his sister. Sozo tagged along behind them, dashing as fast as he could.

Hakai was slammed against the wall through brutal strength, the lungs in his chest punctured. He weakly got up with all the power he had, orbs of light flashing from his head and all of his legs.

"Don't make me do this, Phoenix!" Hakai exclaimed, dashing after his student. Who the previous Lord of Darkness was fighting was Phoenix, though he looked rather different. For one, he had an unnatural violet glow all around his body, and his eyes were blue with yellow irises from his usual purple color. His reddened wings grew brighter in flames as he bit deep into Hakai's neck, cutting off the general's air supply. Hakai now only had a few minutes left to live as he backed away in pain. Sozo, Galeem, and Ultima arrived in time to see their brother going on a killing spree.

"You took everything from me, Galeem!" Phoenix snarled, his voice echoing with a distorted tone. "For your selfishness and betrayal of the light, you will pay with the consequences!"

"Listen, Phoenix!" Galeem objected. "Give me another chance!" However, Phoenix would not listen as a black storm cloud exhaled through his breath. The cloud surrounded the dying Hakai, lifting him up into the air and twisting his draconic body. The bones cracked and inner flesh teared as the scar on Hakai's left wing ripped itself from his body, moving in disarray. Hakai's old, lifeless body then dropped to the floor, disintegrating into the blackest ashes before they even touched the ground. All that remained was who appeared to be the very first Crazy Hand, identified with the violet aura, and the cry of anguish from Sozo.

"Phoenix, you cold-hearted bastard!" Galeem roared, golden flames lighting up in his throat.

"Phoenix, stop this right now!" Ultima snarled, her spectrum wings flashing with the rainbow they always had. Just then, Phoenix raised his flaming wings, and all the lights in the Sky Temple went out, including his own pinions. The only thing that the two siblings could heard was the movement of Phoenix's flesh moving in gross, disgusting ways and a deep booming noise in the aftermath. The violet aura flashed bright again to reveal Phoenix's true form, and his blue and golden orbs reflected the reaction of terror from his brother and sister.

What once were the majestic pennons of the Lord of Darkness now remained three pairs of wings with each of their bases fused to his back by the violet aura. They were formed out of tentacles as black as his corrupted heart, with a few parts revealing a deep indigo. The thorny tips of the wings were exposed however, showing off the color of magenta. The six wings themselves were so huge they wrapped around Phoenix as he levitated in midair, not even moving as he was flying.

"My name is no longer Phoenix," the corrupted dragon growled, the scar on the right side of his face from before flashing violet. "My name is Dharkon, Lord of Darkness and Seraph of Chaos!" Ultima stepped back in horror and guilt, guilt that she had underestimated the ghost and his pet slime. He was the cause of all this. There was no other explanation.

"Get off the island. Now!" Ultima ordered Sozo and Galeem as she retreated to the main hall. Phoenix, now named Dharkon, telepathically commanded Hakai, now a Crazy Hand, to go after the remaining guards. Without question, the Crazy Hand did it willingly and floated through the Sky Temple.

Galeem kicked down the door to the room that Medley was sleeping in, and she immediately woke up to the sound.

"…Morning already?" Medley groaned. Galeem quickly placed his front claws on her shoulders.

"We need to leave. Now," Galeem answered. "My brother went crazy and is destroying everything in sight. He wants me dead and won't stop at anything to finish his duty! Grab Glimmeress and follow me!" Obeying, Medley quickly slipped on the pouch she carries Glimmeress in, and she nudged the egg into the front pocket. The two dragons then met up with Ultima and Sozo at the front door, when the Queen of Arcus barged it wide open.

"But my sister! And her baby!" Medley objected.

"On it," Ultima replied, soaring off deep into the temple. She made her wings generate light in the darkness, and she soared through the halls. She saw the surviving guards transformed into Crazy Hands by the same storm that changed Hakai, but they all lacked the violet aura. As Ultima flew deeper into the Sky Temple, she heard the screams of bloody murder.

Instantly recognizing the cries of pain to be female, Ultima quickly teleported herself to where the screams were nearest. She then saw Katzen's room door shattered into splinters all over the carpet, and a puddle of blood was spilling out. There, she saw her own brother looking behind himself at her, his fangs tainted with gore and Katzen's lifeless corpse lying in front of him.

"No…" Ultima gasped, watching as the empty shell of what once was her brother turn towards her mercilessly. The Queen of Arcus noticed Inkereign's egg in Katzen's clutches. She knew she was trying to protect their only child from his claws. This dragon had the guts to attempt murder on his own family. In a flash of smoke, Ultima temporarily blinded Dharkon's eyes as she dived straight for the egg and flew out the room door. Her brother managed to spit out a rain of bullets at her, some ricocheting off her rainbow-spectrum wings. Coated in lightning, Dharkon grabbed ahold of Ultima's body and threw her onto the floor. Thankfully, the egg itself was as tough as iron, so the impact left no scratch.

"All this time I thought you cared for me," Dharkon growled, his tentacle wings wriggling with envy and hatred.

"I do care for you, Phoenix," Ultima explained, her heart beating fast in fear and her eyes starting to swell from the tears she built up. "Just don't do this…" Dharkon still did not listen as he rose into the air and struck her with a blow so hard she literally flew out of the Sky Temple through the smashed walls. Even if she was still holding onto the egg of Inkereign, Ultima could not even fly because she was so numb. As she was falling from the floating island, Galeem swooped to her rescue in time. He used his legs to grab onto Ultima's body while also watching the egg of his future nephew or niece. Medley was also carrying Sozo when she fled from the Sky Temple with him, and her eyes swam in their own fluids as she began to cry over the loss of her sister. Ultima saw the storm cloud rising in the air, their lightning spreading all across the sky. Dharkon's outstretched wings shattered through the walls of the Sky Temple, and his otherworldly maniacal laughter rang throughout the land. His army of Crazy Hands, all led by Hakai after he became the Hand of Destruction, flew throughout the skies. As the sky was about to forever remain in darkness, Kirby's vision was up as he was transported back to Gallia.


"Kirby…?" Toon Link asked, tapping the pink puffball's squishy face. "Are you okay?"

"Kirby always does this after someone rescues a fighter," Fox answered as Kirby sat back up. "We just need to give him time."

"Speaking of which…" Link responded, hoisting Kirby up where he was met with his two clones. "Glad that you're up. Come on. The gate to the Rathalos is open and we need to do this." Kirby then looked around and saw not a single Mii Fighter was around, and all the Light Puppets and Kirby Supporters were killed.

"While you were out, the Mii Brawlers fled, but the Mii Gunners were free from capture," the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn explained. "I took inspiration from Gilbert's actions and told them to wait for us at the Undying Light, so we're pretty much stuck here. At least I kinda understand the Mii Swordfighter is giving himself an ancestry name, so I guess mine is Sherry from now on. Just thought I'd let you know…"

"Hello?" Captain Falcon asked. "We don't have time. We have to defeat that Rathalos before he leaves the island, so we better make this quick, okay?" As fast as the wind, all the fighters ran beyond the gateway, and Kirby was about to join them too. But when he looked back, he saw the red and white Kirby Supporters gathering around an orange puppet fighter of their kind, hello it up. Like before, they sensed a mutual bond between each other, and now there was a third Kirby Supporter. However, it looked like it didn't have much of a choice as it was completely immobile. Kirby touched its face, feeling as sorry as ever for it.

"Poyo poyo poyo," Kirby said, alerting his three clones to follow in after them. Without looking back, the pink puffball and his puppet fighters ran into the island of the Rathalos. Though this perilous and random journey, Kirby had came to the conclusion that someone was building up all this. As though the person coated in black mist was special. After all, he was responsible for corrupting Phoenix. Could there be something of play in mind? Hell, Kirby faced against eldritch gods before in his life. How was it any different?

When Kirby looked ahead, he knew there was something going on. Somewhere out there was a being that is watching their every move. All the enemies they have faced before are somehow connected to one event. One person. One deity.

Eternia. Or what remains of her…

Chapter 59: The Beast of the Skies

Summary:

Once the fighters break open the Northern Barrier, a rising darkness prepares to attack.

Chapter Text

Deep in the forest of the island, the Smashers traversed the foreign landscape to hear the roads of the Rathalos from a mile away.

"He's still here," Sherry told the group, staying on the path as she followed the noise. "Perfect." King Dedede and Bowser tagged along behind the Mii Gunner. The rest of the fighters already ran off, not giving Kirby a chance to catch up since he was busy helping his two clones carry the orange Kirby Supporter. Sheik stopped for a moment and picked up the wounded Kirby clone, carrying it on her shoulders.

"Strange how our greatest enemies can eventually become our friends in a time of need," Sheik said. "Depending on where your little buddies came from, this is surely a miracle…" Kirby rubbed his cuddly face in glee. After spending days in the new world that thrived for five years he was not used to during the decade he could remember. This was surely a thrill for him, and he was happy knowing his friends were alive and well, waiting for him to be their savior. He now realized he was no longer alone, and he was glad because of it.

"Kirby! Sheik! Look what we found!" The Smashers had just uncovered something, and Zero Suit Samus was already calling for the pink demon and the Sheikah.

A few minutes later, Kirby and his team were out on an open field. The grass itself was paper thin, and the wind was almost non-existent. Lying on the soft ground was a trophy of Kirby, bound by the blue ropes from before. From the looks of things, it seemed as though the statue was sleeping but standing upright at the same time.

"Geez," Dr. Mario said. "Thank the stars Kirby didn't end up like that…" The three Kirby Supporters inched closer to the trophy, becoming curious about the cloning machine they emerged from. When they looked back on the fighters, the red, white, and orange puppets were starting to think about their own existence. Was their true purpose just to serve Galeem? Regardless, this trophy was too dangerous. Not even the Seraph of Order can have this much control. The three Kirby clones looked back at the Smashers they were forced to team up with, their eyes finally opened.

"Are you sure you want to do this, guys?" the Luminary asked. "If you destroy the machine that gave birth to you, you're probably gonna die." The three Kirby Supporters looked at each other, knowing the risk they were about to take. Besides, it was more important for the fighters to finish the mission. They were just Supporters after all. Kirby himself ran towards his allied clones and cuddled each of them together into a group hug, showing he still cared for them.

"Goo- Good…bye," Kirby stuttered, stepping away and letting the three Kirby clones do their duty. Pulling out their hammers, the Supporters waited for their weapons to reach the points when they burn, and they took one mighty swing all at once. The trophy base was gleaming in a bright white, and the Kirby statue was starting to crack. Once the trophy shattered into a thousands pieces, all that remained was nothing but dust.

Unlike other Supporters that simply remain until they were hunted down to extinction, the Kirby clones felt themselves crumble into Shadow Bugs. With one more look at their friends, those glowing-red of theirs vanished to reveal the Spirits who were possessing the Supporters.

They were each, in fact, the glowing-red three parts of Kirby's air-riding machine: the Dragoon split into three parts. Part A, the body, was from the red Kirby. Part B, the head, appeared from the white one. Part C, the tail, emerged from the orange Supporter. The three parts merged themselves together into one, and the combined machine flew right into Kirby's body like all the other Spirits. Just when things started to calm down, thorny vines quickly emerged from the ground without any warning.

The fighters were shocked when they heard the maniacal screams of none other than Flowey himself, towering over the team and glaring at them with his soulless eyes. From what they could tell from his expressions, he was pissed off about the Kirby statue being destroyed.

"Why, when Galeem gets his hands on you, you will all pay!" Flowey screeched. "I will not fall like the Werewolf, King Bulbin, and Balder! I am the one true servant of the Seraph of Order!" Flowey then started shaking his head and releasing pollen into the air. The yellow cloud signaled the Rathalos and alerted him to fly down. The wyvern landed behind Flowey, his roar deaf enough to stun the fighters if they were too close to his fangs.

"As Galeem's prized Rathalos devours your flesh, I'll come in and finish you off!" Flowey finished, his laughter echoing throughout the plains as he burrowed underground. The Rathalos first attacked by swinging his clubbed tail, trying to knock the fighters onto their feet. King Dedede and Peach started grabbing onto the Rathalos' back. When the wyvern tried shaking them off while still swinging his tail, the two fighters teamed up with Pikachu and Lucario and began using their aerial attacks.

Captain Falcon, Diddy Kong, and Shulk paid attention to the fireballs sent after them, dodging all three of them in time. The Mii Swordfighter and Mii Gunner jumped over the Rathalos as he dashed right at the group, and they began hitting the tail. The two ex-Ultimates had noticed Pitfalls, Deku Nuts, and explosive barrels stored in the back end of the Rathalos.

"Quick!" Sherry told Gilbert as she dug up the items and passed them to him. "Pass these around to each of our friends!" The Mii Swordfighter obeyed and ran on the Rathalos' body, trying to pin the monster's head down while throwing the three types of items onto the ground.

"Got them from this creature's tail," Gilbert explained, ready to jump off as soon as the Rathalos was about to fly. "Grab whichever suits you best and throw them at this beast!" Ireburn, Clementine, and the rest of the team all grabbed their items, with Red sending out Charizard to pick up an explosive barrel.

Once the Smashers threw their items, the Rathalos was starting to become dazed by the Deku Nuts, stars spinning around his head as the fighters used constant smash attacks. The Rathalos then shook his head and took off into the air. He flew farther into the fields, keeping his eyes on the team of fighters. Fire started erupting from his fangs as he was ready to unleash powerful fireballs.

"Everybody-a spread out!" Dr. Mario alerted the team. Each of the fighters ran off in different, frantic corners, making it difficult for the Rathalos to target each one individually. Because it could not decide on which target to attack, all three fireballs blew up in his face. The stunned wyvern tumbled out of the sky, crashing right in front of the Smashers in the overturned soil that was also conveniently activated with a Pitfall. As the beast struggled with digging itself out, Bowser and Pokémon Trainer's Charizard started breathing fire while Samus and Zero Suit Samus fired their own projectiles.

The Rathalos managed to dig itself out of the ground and took off into the air, now trying to target the fighters and attack them with his poisonous claws. Fox and Pikachu were few of many, if not all of, the Smashers that paid attention to this attack and managed to dodge the ferocious swipes with their side specials. These specials also damaged the Rathalos, which was lucky enough for the fighters to throw their projectiles at the flying wyvern. Bowser jumped high into the air and quickly slammed his bottom against the Rathalos' back, dragging it onto the ground with him.

"Now's your chance, anime sword boys!" Bowser called out for Link and the Hero.

"Toon Link! Ex-Ultimates!" Link ordered, charging in. The Luminary's sword crackled with lightning as he rushed towards the Rathalos. Soon, the rest of the fighters ran in as Bowser was spamming his powerful down smash, throwing out one final strike to kill the Rathalos. Roaring in defeat, the Rathalos succumbed and fell on the soft grass, the sunlight dully reflected off his red-and-black armor. The Smashers all sat down, thinking they finally got the break they had deserved.

"That's it," Fox sighed, rubbing his pointed ears. "I think I'm getting insomnia from these battles…" Things started to calm down until he started hearing a faint beeping noise. None of the other fighters could hear it as it was coincidentally buried deep within the tail of the Rathalos, but the Star Fox mercenary caught it thanks to his animalistic senses once again. The choreographed beeping sounded like a familiar melody… almost like a ticking time bomb. Sudden realization hit Fox as memories of the Subspace Army suddenly hit him. Fox then stood up and forced Kirby off his butt, gaining the attention from his team.

"We need to leave. Now." Fox grabbed ahold of Peach and made her stand up.

"But we just sat down," Ness groaned, getting off his butt. However, it was too late as the Pokémon Trainer suddenly saw the bright twinkle of the Subspace Bomb exploding from the Rathalos and quickly climbed on top of Charizard's back, flying away as far as possible. Thankfully, the fighters were far enough to notice the blast in time before they become consumed.

"Oh shit…" Link said, already tired from these constant ambushes. Before the fast-growing explosion reached the fighters, a beam of light quickly emerged from Kirby and, at warp speed, managed to pick up all the Smashers despite its small size. As the fighters held on tight to Kirby and to each other, the pink puffball looked down to see his machine – the Dragoon – save them from being sucked into Subspace. They all caught up with the Pokémon Trainer in time, with Zero Suit Samus grabbing onto Red's hand and pulling him on. The Pokémon Trainer pulled out an empty Pokéball and called Charizard back as they all soared into the air.

Piranha Plant and Eleven were the only fighters able to look back on the island as it was destroyed by the Subspace explosion before it stopped at a certain height. The light stream coming from the Normal Legendary Dragoon Spirit traced across the sky and carried the team back up north and to the Undying Light.


On the flying ship, Pit was already awake after his freedom, and he noticed the stream of light heading straight towards them. He was also at the pilot headquarters on top of the ship, and he grabbed a telescope to look at the stream. At first, the figures in the telescope were far away and unfocused until the angel discovered he was holding the spyglass backwards. He quickly turned around and saw the rest of their buddies on the Dragoon.

"Oh… my… goodness… Mario! Joker! Snake! Everyone! Kirby and the others are back!" Pit called out through an electronic communicator. As though they heard the angel, Mario, Marth, Joker, Olimar, PAC-MAN, Donkey Kong, Lucas, Isabelle, Duck Hunt, Pichu, Snake, Ryu, the Ice Climbers, Falco, and Simon all went out to the deck and saw Kirby, Piranha Plant, Sheik, the Villager, Captain Falcon, the Mii Swordfighter, Link, Fox, Dr. Mario, the Inkling, the Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Lucario, Peach, Bowser, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game & Watch, the Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Shulk, King Dedede, Ness, the Mii Gunner, Toon Link, and the Hero all riding in on the Dragoon.

"Spread out!" Mario called out. "Clear the deck!" The fighters on the ship backed away to let those that were soaring through the air to hover safely off the steel floor. As soon as the Dragoon Spirit vanished, never to return, Kirby and his group managed to land on their feet and see the Northern Barrier finally shatter. The reunited group of fighters looked back at the flashing-red UV sphere and watched as the strong vortex of the Subspace explosion pull on the last remaining hexagons of the barrier. Once the pieces flew out of sight, the Galeem Void was open to the Smashers at last.

Faker emerged from inside the Undying Light, surprised that Kirby was alive and well. She ran to Kirby and hugged him tenderly. Once she broke the hug, the other fighters were conversing with each other over their safety.

"I am so-a glad you people are-a okay," Mario spoke with Fox, Link, and Zero Suit Samus. Donkey Kong playfully head locked Bowser as a means of relief. Pikachu nuzzled Pichu's nose.

"Joker!" Ireburn called out, shaking the Phantom Thief's hand. "My man. How you doing?"

"Great," Ren replied. "Glad you managed to survive without Galeem capturing you."

"As is you," the Luminary spoke. "And look who we found…!" The Hero reintroduced Joker to the Piranha Plant, who licked the Phantom Thief's face until he laughed.

"Good to see you too," Joker chuckled. As soon as everything had calmed down, Mario raised his hands to the sides of his face and made sure everyone was quiet.

"For five-a long years, we had been waiting for a chance to return home without even having any memory of it," Mario addressed. "And we owe it all to you, fighters that had lived through the Movement of the Light." The red plumber congratulated Kirby, Piranha Plant, Joker, and Eleven.

"If it hadn't been for your survival, we would have never made it to this point," Mario continued. "A round of applause, everyone!" For this incredible milestone, all the fighters that had been reawakened clapped and cheered, thanking Kirby and the three survivors. Just then, the applause stopped when Fox objected.

"Wait," Fox said. "There are still many other fighters under Galeem's control, including… our loved ones and rivals…"

"Plus, there are three more of our friends still out there," Joker noted. The fighters in the team then became aroused by the absence of the rest of the Smashers and complained about how much they wanted them back.

"People, people," Falco told everyone. "Let's make for what we have do right now. All that matters is we bring down Galeem from his throne, and then we can worry about our friends still under captivity and those that survived the onslaught but are still out there. For now… let's just take the route we created in the space scenery." Mario and the Smashers nodded in agreement, and they all went into the Undying Light below the deck. Faker stayed outside for a while, marveling at the black hole that is the Galeem Void. She then noticed streaks of light entering the void, and she became curious as to what they were.


At the island where the Rathalos was defeated, Flowey reemerged from the ground. Looking around, he saw nothing but a barren wasteland from where the luscious field used to be. With a look of terror and guilt on his face, the demon flower was not ready to tell Galeem the bad news.

"The Lord of Light's gonna kill me," Flowey said to himself. As much as he would like to wish wasn't possible, Galeem knew what happened and is now ready to blame Flowey for them getting away. An aura of light surrounded the flower, transporting him back to the Galeem Void.

Flowey gulped when he saw the Seraph of Order himself mounted on top of his throne, the cloudy, golden sky gleaming at its brightest behind him. Galeem descended to the flower's level, a light of anger and fury in how the light around him radiated.

"I gave you one simple task," Galeem snarled, his dull roar gurgling in his breath. "You goal was to stop the Super Smash Brothers from reaching me, and you have still failed."

"Don't blame me, boss!" Flowey objected. "If you had trained that dragon mutt to follow your orders better, maybe this wouldn't be of your concern! I can't even believe you and the Rathalos are part of the same biological order though born on different planets!" Galeem's light aura flashed in a bright color, offended by this backtalk.

"I did what you asked me to!" Flowey snapped. "I used my skills to hold these fighters back, and my strategy was to finish them off when they were too tired to keep on fighting! I had no idea their combined strength would doom your reign!"

"Maybe you should have thought about attacking them first before becoming a coward and hiding underground like the hovel of a world you came from…" Galeem growled. "For your failure, you know about the penalty."

"I'LL KILL YOU!" Flowey yelled, the thorny vines from his small stem growing on his back. As the demonic flower lunged at Galeem with his fibrous roots, the Seraph of Order simply snapped his fingers and froze the flower in midair.

"I like your determination," Galeem chuckled lightly, his glowing humanoid hands gracing the monster flower's yellow petals. "However, my powers have been drained long enough to the point that I can no longer use the light trick to disintegrate your body." The original Master Hand then emerged from behind Galeem's wings, his shadow spawning the original Crazy Hand. The two Hands then ripped open the gateway to the Dark Dimension again but behind Flowey.

"With the way you stick your vines out like that, you remind me of my brother," Galeem said. "Hopefully you can meet him there." Galeem's six wings then pushed Flowey into the Dark Dimension, unfreezing him in the process. As the flower struggled from the portal's powerful force, he tried to grab Galeem's neck and drag the Seraph of Order along with him, but even his vines were too short. Some were even snipped off and wriggling on the stone ground once the portal closed. The Crazy Hand vanished, and the Master Hand this time floated in place.

"Team up with the other Master Hands," Galeem ordered the glowing-golden Hand of Creation. "Gather up all the remaining Primaries and Supporters on the planet that have yet to be freed from my control." The Master Hand willingly obeyed, flying out of the Galeem Void. Tabuu appeared near Galeem's side as the Lord of Light sat back down on his throne, slamming his glowing-white fist into the throne's arm. Galeem then noticed the remaining Fighter Spirits charge in towards them. Due to the Northern Barrier shattering, this provided the remnants of the captured fighters a chance to get back to their bodies. Galeem simply raised his hand, freezing the Fighter Spirits in place.

"Do you really think you people can stop me?" Galeem asked, floating off his throne again. "You lower lifeforms do not know who you're up against…" The Seraph of Order looked upon the Fighter Spirits in his grasp again, knowing that the bodies of Dark Samus, Luigi, Daisy, Zelda, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, Meta Knight, Dark Pit, Wario, Ike, Sonic, R.O.B., Wolf, Rosalina & Luma, Greninja, Palutena, Robin, Bowser Jr., Ken, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, Ridley, Richter, King K. Rool, Incineroar, and Mii Brawler were all still under his control.

"You can't keep holding us back like this!" Ganondorf's Fighter Spirit called out.

"My papa and his friends are gonna drag you down to a very bad place!" Bowser Jr.'s Fighter Spirit answered. The clamoring of the Fighter Spirits started to bug Galeem, but he clearly did not mind as they could not even interact with him.

"Our buddies are going to end your tyrannical reign!" Sonic's Fighter Spirit yelled. Galeem turned his attention to the blue hedgehog, startling the souls of the other captured fighters.

"Because… 'you won't get away with this' was too overused…?" Sonic's soul responded in the form of a question.

"So… you were the one who set this up," Galeem told the blue hedgehog. "You were the one who sent Kirby five years into the future and started all this."

"How was I supposed to know where this led up?" Sonic asked before being grabbed by the neck of the Seraph of Order. Unlike other solid objects, Galeem can interact with the Fighter Spirits willingly, even harm them. So far, he is the only one with this distinction.

"You are really starting to tick me off," Galeem snarled, his fiery-hot breath warming up the blue hedgehog's Spirit. "I'm tired of looking at your face." Using his right hand, he traced his thumb on Sonic's left eye, his clawed fingernail cutting deep into the blue speedster's skin. The Lord of Light started at the base of the left ear before working down the eye in one clean, vertical slice. Since it dug down deep and had some sort of energy focused purely within it, it was painful for Sonic's Fighter Spirit as he screamed in agony. Once Galeem let go, Sonic fell to the ground, covering his left eye and the wound that now bled with gold. Tears built up in the eye that can see, with the blue hedgehog crying in terrible pain. The other Fighter Spirits floated to the ground and began comforting Sonic as he held his eye.

"This is what happens to those that disobey me," Galeem commanded. "Hopefully the punishment fits the crimes you have committed…" The laughter of the Seraph of Order echoed throughout the Galeem Void, letting the Fighter Spirits know there is no hope for them once the Forgotten Resistance has fallen.


Flowey stirred out of his unconsciousness, his roots searching the area for ground. He then saw the light of Balder's Spirit from afar. The demonic flower pushed himself as hard as he could, "swimming" towards the Lumen Sage. From what Flowey could tell, Balder started appearing with dark circles under his eyes and the way he moved around as though he was in terrible pain. His clothes were torn up to show the torture he went through was traumatizing for him.

"Flowey?" Balder asked, his pale fingers clasping the flower's head. "What in heavens are you doing here…? You haven't been transformed into a Spirit like we have?"

"Hell no," Flowey responded. "You okay, man?"

"It's- It's fine," the last Lumen Sage answered. "You need to find a way out."

"The ruler of this land tortures visitors," King Bulbin responded. "He even scared my own men away from me."

"Whatever you do, do not underestimate this monster," the Werewolf warned.

"You guys just don't get it," Flowey chuckled, playfully acting like a princess. "You all fell under some sort of spell from the fighters to make you think there is such thing as hope, and magic, and rainbows, and unicorns because you idiots are all weak! I did not fall for their messages of hope and tried to give them despair! The only reason why Galeem himself was too weak to transform me into a Spirit was because he was too pathetic! Like the rest of you! If I were to grab ahold of the Lord of Light, I will wring his delicate neck until he dies!" Suddenly, Flowey heard the booming noise of the blue-and-yellow eye behind him. King Bulbin, Balder, and the Werewolf all backed away in fear, not wanting to experience those tortures again.

"I like your confidence, newcomer," the eye spoke. "It sure was a mistake that my brother spared you."

"Wait… you and Galeem are… related?" Flowey asked. The eye chuckled deeply, which was followed by thousands of maniacal laughers surrounding him.

"Just be patient," the eye responded, ready to reveal his true colors. "Once Galeem sees me… it will be one happy family reunion…"

Chapter 60: The Battle Against The Light

Summary:

After the two groups of fighters reunite with each other, aware of who Galeem is, they stand up against the Seraph of Order once and for all. However, a new darkness arrives moments after the short-lived victory of the Super Smash Brothers.

Chapter Text

The Hero looked around the room with multiple beds, taking a good look at the mural Kirby drew in stunning detail. From what he could gather, he saw the faces of the side he is now fighting with and plenty more unrecognizable faces. He was surprised at how much crayon Kirby used in this beautiful portrait. Feeling as though the mural was lacking his face, Ireburn grabbed the dragons, scissors, tape, and paper. Once he finished his drawing and taped it onto the wall, it was hard to tell the difference if Kirby or someone else that put the Luminary in the picture. After a brief minute of admin himself in the wall art, Joker walked into the room.

"Pretty impressive," Joker noted, recognizing that the Hero placed himself in the picture. "You even put yourself next to me."

"Thanks," Eleven added, rubbing his temple. "Y'know, I dreamed of becoming an artist before I found out I was a descendant of Erdrick. I was basically self-taught."

"Pretty neat," Joker replied. "I'm hoping the rest of our friends can do this… paint themselves onto the poster. That way they can show they are part of a bigger family despite not being blood-related. Whether good or bad, they can see where they belong here."

"I guess…" The Phantom Thief and the Hero admired the poster, standing around for a minute before the Piranha Plant opened the door. When the carnivorous flower walked in, it was time for the two warriors to head up to the deck.

"Ready to go back home after five years?" Joker asked, holding his hand out.

"Yes I am," the Hero answered, shaking the Phantom Thief's hand. The two then joined the Piranha Plant outside of the ship. The three fighters then met up with the rest of their friends, looking at the path in space with the faux planets and everything. Faker walked up to Kirby, who was staring out into the Galeem Void.

"You're still thinking about the rest of your friends?" Faker asked. Kirby looked up at the amnesiac warrior, nodding in agreement. From what he had experienced, the brown-skinned woman sounded exactly like Ultima in his visions. Maybe the stone he swallowed must be the key to her memory loss. As the fighters that had never been on the Undying Light before were passed around their own watch-like devices by the Spirits of the crew, the pink puffball coughed up Faker's stone. It still shone violet when it was reflecting off the sunlight, and the golden markings of the Smash Ball did not dust a bit.

"Poyo," Kirby added, giving the stone back to Faker. She picked up the stone, taking a good look at the gift she gave.

"If I wear this stone after it spent so much time with you, do you think I'll get my memories back?" Faker asked. Kirby shook his head, not knowing how it even worked. It just gave him keys to a past he had no idea happened. When Faker reattached the stone to her necklace, her eyes flashed a bright white and the gem gleamed with a rainbow spectrum. Kirby watched as all the fighters on the ship started experiencing the glowing-white eyes and went through possibly all the visions. Once the gem stopped glowing, the eyes of the crew stopped glowing too.

"What the hell just happened!?" Joker asked, rubbing his head.

"It was like we were in a whole new world…" Fox corresponded. The most startled was Faker most of all, feeling as though she was around the Dragon Age before. Even though she could not pinpoint when, she felt like she was part of that world in some way.

"I'm… starting to remember," Faker added. "My memory's starting to come back to me… I think. I still don't know who I am, but at least these visions could help you and your friends… Thank you for at least clearing my mind…" Mario was the first one to walk out onto the wooden plank, noticing that the path to walk on was only a few feet high. The fighters that had been reawakened as well as those that survived joined the red plumber's side.

"Are you ready to destroy the Lord of Light and bring us all back home?" Mario asked his friends.

"I'm ready," Samus answered.

"Let's do this," Falco added.

"Be careful," the Barbara Spirit told them, seconds after the fighters jumped off. Once each of the Smashers landed on the path, they looked back at the new and improved Undying Light, ready to take on the final challenge. Once they approached the Galeem Void, they saved goodbye to Faker and all the Spirits on the ship before they all jumped into the void.

After they stepped on the ground, the Smashers looked around and saw the deep golden sky stained with pure white clouds that looked like they were softer than anything to the touch. High in the sky, there was the army of Master Hands guiding all of the Primaries and Supporters the fighters did it even have a chance to rescue, each one too busy noticing the group of warriors staring up in worry.

"Where do you think they're going?" Peach asked.

"Galeem," Mario answered. "If we follow our friends, we'll have a higher chance of saving them." The red plumber then grabbed the princess's hand and ran with her towards the Seraph of Order. The reawakened fighters and the survivors raced towards the Lord of Light, keeping their eyes on the sky full of Spirits.

As time went on, the Smashers all made their way to Galeem's crystal throne. It was twenty feet across, spanning a massive height of two hundred meters. Sitting on the very top was Galeem himself surrounded by the remaining Primaries. The Supporters swirled around him and fed him his energy, making him grow stronger in the upcoming battle. Levitating at the base of the throne was Tabuu, still confined in the Chains of Light.

"Tabuu…?" Marth asked, trying to approach the God of Construction carefully.

"Wait… you know this guy?" Joker asked.

"He was a major threat fifteen years ago when the Subspace Army attacked," Link replied. "Now we see he's really just a slave."

"I had a good reason why I chose to serve Galeem ages before the Hands of Arcadia found you," Tabuu answered, his arms folded across his chest. "I wanted to protect… her…"

"Her?" the Luminary asked.

"Despite appearances, I am simply the raw power and wisdom. Her body and soul is my only way back to the physical world, and I had spent ages trying to find her after making her vanish from Galeem… I need… Ragnarokk…"

"Ragnarokk…" Sheik told the group. "Back in Arcadia, Cloud Strife told us about a Goddess of Oblivion made out of the Master Core and Tabuu…"

"You got the parts involving the Goddess of Oblivion and me right," Tabuu responded. "What you know is the half-truth. I want Ragnarokk back. Only then can I end the war between the light and darkness with your help…" Just as Tabuu was about to explain more, Galeem harshly tugged on his Chains of Light. The God of Construction groaned from the harsh pain, and the Seraph of Order floated from his throne.

"Thank you for finding my escaped pets, Tabuu!" Galeem called out, pushing the Construct God away from the crystal throne. The Seraph of Order then used his powers to crumble the throne into nothing but dust as he teleported himself to the ground level of the fighters. The Primaries that surrounded him floated to the ground, their feet touching the surface.

"So you made it all the way over here," the Lord of Light spoke out. "And here I thought I was going to die of boredom…"

"You let the rest of our friends-a go!" Mario exclaimed, his fists burning with fire. "Free the other captured fighters!" All the Smashers got into their battle positions, ready to bring down the Lord of Light once and for all.

"Very well," Galeem growled. "If you want your friends back so much…" The ground rumbled underneath the Forgotten Resistance fighters, shaking them to the point that they almost tripped. The ground then started crumbing, with the black obsidian ground of the Final Destination forming underneath the rocky dirt. The fighters looked around this huge ancient sci-fi battlefield, shielding their eyes as Galeem grew brighter than the sun.

Once the bright aura surrounding the Lord of Light vanished, all they saw was a humanoid being simply glowing white. His six wings began spinning around, surrounding him in a sphere. A bright flash of light gleamed again, and the three pairs of colossal wings fused to Galeem's true form. What they saw was the figure of a thin, quadrupedal dragon with his scales glowing white, the horns on his head straightened out. His claws shined bright like diamonds, with his whip-like tail waving back and forth. The six wings were fused to his back by a golden aura surrounding his body, and his eyes flashed red once he opened them, reverting to their standard color: bright yellow with a black outline with orange irises.

"…you'll have to go through me!" Galeem finished, spreading his wings to their original position.

"Then prepare for defeat, Galeem!" Fox McCloud growled. "Our combined strength will take you on!"

Galeem began teleporting through the air, dodging the attacks from each fighter, like Mario's forward aerial and Donkey Kong's punches. The seraphic dragon then flew up into the air and summoned three cross-like orbs. They simply didn't do anything. They just sat in place. Because of this, Smashers like Bowser and King Dedede paid no attention as they attacked Galeem, knowing the only place they can hurt him is his main body. However, the orbs started glowing and exploded in cross shapes, covering over half of the stage.

"Even with all your powers, you will still burn under the sun," Galeem resounded, teleporting across the stage. His wings emerged from his back, transforming into drill-like objects that flew across the Final Destination, trying to pierce the group of warriors. Bowser, being the heaviest, grabbed two of the wings and threw them back at the Seraph of Order. After being drilled by his own tendons, Galeem ascended into the air and glared down as those trying to reach him so they can attack. Simon, Mega Man, and Pit began firing their projectiles, all of them hitting the Lord of Light.

"Insolent foolish mortals," Galeem growled, a ball of blue lightning forming in his mouth. As soon as he breathed it out, it floated to the center of the stage before splitting into six smaller versions of itself. They began homing in on the fighters closest to them, mainly Fox and Falco. While the two were firing lasers at Galeem, trying to keep up with his teleporting, they quickly reflected the lightning orbs with their devices back at the Lord of Light. This managed to stun Galeem to the point that his six wings fell from his body and the quadrupedal dragon fell onto the stage. All the fighters then began jabbing and punching until above half of his health was drained.

Galeem then floated above the stage, his three pairs of wings fusing back to him. He let out a terrifying roar as his eyes flashed red to let the fighters know that he was low on health. His wings then formed a circle around him, and he vanished for a brief period of time to let three of his Light Puppets fight. Those that appeared in the battle for now were Samus, Peach, and Lucas. Piranha Plant, Joker, and the Hero surrounded the three puppets and attacked them with their slashing abilities, not even noticing that they were blinking golden. Kirby, seeing what was about to happen, quickly dashed right into the three Light Puppets, knocking them off the stage for his three friends to see the clones self-destruct.

Galeem emerged from the golden blast, his red eyes flashing so that they created a net of sorts that took up the entire stage. This net was made out of lasers that pinpointed a predictable yet powerful Barr of stronger lasers. Each of the fighters took care to dodge those lasers on the huge battlefield of Final Destination. As soon as the lasers vanished, Galeem teleported across the stage while unleashing more cross bombs and blue orbs of light. With enough luck, the fighters knew Galeem's movement and struck him down until he was stunned again. The dragon landed like a delicate crystal ball, meaning that he sounded like glass hitting stone. Once the fighters got him down to the lowest possible health until he floated back into the air again, Kirby jumped into the air with a flaming hammer and finished with a naughty strike against Galeem.

The Seraph of Order began roaring as he went into a spasmodic seizure, his eyes reverting back to their yellow color. As the dragon fell from the sky, the Final Destination stage crumbled underneath the fighters, but they were saved by the magic of the decaying Galeem Void. The golden sky spread out to all the corners of the world, and the Spirits that were rescued looked out from the deck of the Undying Light, cheering over the victory of the Super Smash Brothers. Tabuu's Chains of Light vanished, rendering the God of Subspace free.

When the fighters landed on soft ground, they began celebrating the defeat of their greatest enemy, glad that they can go back to their homeworlds with everyone. Kirby, among the friends celebrating, noticed the seraphic dragon right in front of them. The pink puffball pulled out his hammer again, still mad and unforgiving of what Galeem did to them. Mario stopped Kirby, and he walked up to the Lord of Light. All of the Master Hands, Supporters, and Primaries levitated in the air, watching as Galeem slowly tried to get up.

"I… lost…? How could I possibly lose?" Galeem asked himself. "I am… the Lord of Light and Seraph of Order…"

"It was because your mind was corrupted," Sheik answered. "I can see the truth in everyone and realize you are no different. Even with all the power in the multiverse, you cannot control it."

"Now give back our friends and return us home. We won," Ireburn told the Lord of Light.

"Give it up, Galeem," Mario responded. "It's over." However, Galeem simply laughed under his breath, spreading apart his six colossal wings.

"Maybe for you, but not for me," Galeem growled, ascending into the air whilst surrounded by the Master Hands and his army of corrupted fighters. The Arcadian Master Hand floated to his side, ready to receive orders from the Lord of Light.

"Banish them all to the Dark Dimension," Galeem commanded. "Make sure I never have to see their faces around here again!" The fighters looked up in fear as the Master Hand summoned the Crazy Hand from his shadows, ready to drag them away from Gallia. However, something… odd happened.

Instead of teaming up with his fraternal, the Master Hand flew back to Galeem. This even surprised the Lord of Light. A violet aura formed around the Crazy Hand summoned by the Arcadian Hand of Creation, and he simply floated in midair doing nothing. The Hand of Destruction then raised his jittery fingers, with all the residents of Gallia looking into the golden sky. All that followed was chuckling from the mysterious eye that reigned in the Dark Dimension.

"How ironic you can use the darkness to control all light from countless universes," the eye's voice echoed. The Arcadian Crazy Hand summoned some strange magic to cuff Tabuu's hands and shackle his feet, but with the Chains of Darkness. From those powers coming from the Hand of Destruction, Galeem knew this could only be the work of… someone he knew.

The fighters looked to their left to see a crack in the golden sky. Pieces of the sky began falling as the crack grew wider, revealing a sky of darkness. The Shadow Bugs gathered up in a massive storm, swirling around the hole. Beyond that crack was a sky of black, with its clouds gleaming a deep dark red. Soon, an army of Crazy Hands emerged from the crack to meet up with their Arcadian version, and they all turned against Galeem and his Master Hand army.

"Our long-awaited reunion and still you spout such nonsense," the eye's voice continued. "A tall, dark, and brooding guest has arrived. I had been patient for you to fall…" Grimy, black tentacles slithered out of the crack, with its thorny, magenta tips pushing against the edges. The tendrils shattered more pieces of the sky by their brute force, widening the crack until the entire sky crumbled into the black sky of the Dark Dimension.

That voice, Galeem thought, the dragon showing signs of terror of this familiar enemy.

"Hello again… brother…" the eye spoke, revealing himself in the center of where all the magenta-tipped tentacles emerged with the deep, booming noise.

"Dharkon!" Galeem snarled, golden flames fuming from his nostrils. "I thought we settled this once and for all ages ago!" The eye simply chuckled, his tentacles swirling around him.

"I still have unfinished business to take care of," Dharkon explained. "And when light falls, darkness rises…"

"I'll show you!" Galeem roared, telepathically commanding all the Master Hands to attack the approaching Crazy Hands. The Crazy Hands began crushing some of the first few Master Hands until they turned into a golden powder. As Galeem sent out his remaining Primaries and Supporters, the Crazy Hands grabbed ahold of them and brought them to Dharkon.

"Not Junior!" Bowser called out.

"Lady Palutena! Pittoo!" Pit cried.

"Cloud!" Link yelled.

"Sonic!" Mario gasped. Dharkon's blue-and-yellow eye then flashed violet, order the Crazy Hands to let the Primaries alone. The Galeem Locks on the remaining captured fighters shattered into the white mist, with their colors shifting into a dense red. They then reformed into Dharkon's own version of the Lock, transforming into his disgusting black tendrils and wrapping around the captured fighters. When they opened their eyes, each one of their pupils glowed violet with a red aura surrounding their bodies this time. Galeem became frightened that his own army is taken under his brother's rule all of a sudden.

"Chain them up," Dharkon spoke, a black hand emerging from the eye's slit pupil. He snapped his fingers, and Chains of Darkness appeared in the hands of the corrupted Primaries. They dashed across the sky, binding the remaining Master Hands with these chains. Galeem tried firing golden flames at the captured fighters, but the Sonic Primary managed to dash around and wrap the Chains of Darkness around the Lord of Light's legs. The rest of the captured fighters then threw the remaining chains around his muzzle and wings, keeping him pinned in the air as his magic was drained.

"Now this world shall become one with the Dark Dimension – one with Draxia!" Dharkon called out, spreading his tentacles wider from himself. The whole world suddenly became engulfed in darkness, with the freed Spirits crying in panic.

"Remain calm, people!" Flynn spoke out, trying to keep the situation under control. "Just a little error in the Smashers' mission…"

"You call that an error?" E. Gadd asked, pointing at Dharkon. Faker looked up into the sky to see the terrifying abomination, clasping over her necklace.

"Kirby…" Faker whispered, worried about the puffball's safety.

As the fighters watched the darkness take over everything, the Mii Gunner started feeling rather woozy.

"What's… happening…?" Sherry asked. She then dropped to the ground, fainting from the strange energy. The Inkling then felt the same, falling unconscious.

"I think this is the work of the darkness…!" Eleven responded before he too fell. Front and back, all of the fighters that were either rescued to begin with or survived fell to the ground. Mario was the last one to see Dharkon crumble the beautiful world of Draxia to his image, with images depicting the demons of Tartarus rising from the fiery cracks. When Mario fell asleep under the powerful magic, he could not tell the difference between the darkened sky and his own blackout.

Chapter 61: The World of Darkness

Summary:

Five years later, the fighters saved from Galeem's iron fist wake up into a realm of fear and darkness. Aware that the rest of their friends still under control of their Locks are out there, they split up into three groups and get some answers about the truth of Dharkon.

Chapter Text

Kirby woke up in a familiar bed. The sheets were soft and warm, reminding him of home. As Kirby's eyes darted across the room, he saw that it really was his place, all the way to its dome-like structure. To him, he always lived here. As he opened the only door of this place, he took a nice breath of the planet he took rest on. The pink puffball watched the puffy clouds hover across the sky, listened to the birds in the trees chirping, and felt the soft, green grass on his feet.

He wakes up to this place every day, and he had no memory of being on another planet outside of Popstar's solar system. Trotting through the Green Greens of Dream Land, Kirby rolled around on the grass, giggling to himself. Once in a while, Waddle Dees were carrying fruits, meats, and desserts to King Dedede's castle, but Kirby paid no mind and simply rested underneath the branches of the Whispy Woods tree, knowing the Waddle Dees were just doing their job as usual. Only if they were gathering too much for the ruler of Dream Land did Kirby try to put an end to.

Just then, the Whispy Woods shook his branches, and an apple as big as Kirby fell out. The pink puffball watched the apple keep on rolling down until it stopped at a dip between two hills. Driven by his curious mind, Kirby followed to where the apple took rest. He then heard a strange voice in his head.

"…Kirby…!" the voice called out for him. Kirby looked around, curious as to who said that until he found out there was no one around him. The pink puffball then looked back at the large apple, which began rotting all of a sudden. The apple quickly shriveled up into a black pulp before it fell down through a sinkhole. Because the vortex on the sinkhole was strong, Kirby could not escape its pull as it sucked him into the ground while he tried to escape.

All that remained was the feeling of syrupy-thick fluids surrounding his body, the shattering of some sort of plastic material, and his own coughing.


Kirby woke up to the sight of haziness, his stubby arms swishing around in some sort of liquid that became thinner the more he waded around in it. As soon as his vision became clear, he rubbed his head, starting to remember why he was here. He was clearly not used to the life he lived in. When the pink puffball turned around, he saw where he was kept this whole time. What he saw was some sort of bean pod with some sort of glossy texture. From what he could tell before he broke out was that it was glowing green from the inside, and there was water leaking out from the shattered glass. Two wires were dangling out from the roof, indicating that he was in a simulation based on his locked-away memories this whole time.

Kirby then recognized more pods with Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Lucas, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, Toon Link, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, PAC-MAN, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Inkling, Simon, Isabelle, Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner in their individual ones surrounding him, letting him know he was not alone. So far, they were still dormant inside those pods, and they haven't broken out yet. The thunder rolled in the pitch-black sky, flashing throughout the red clouds.

"…Kirby!" the voice called out again. The pink demon realized the person calling out for him sounded very familiar. He recognized the voice to be Faker's, and he was finally happy for someone coming to their rescue for as long as they were here in this place.

"Poyo!" Kirby called out, his sound echoing throughout the place.

"Kirby?" Faker's voice asked. Footsteps started approaching the area of these pods, and Kirby was patient enough to see who it was. A Mii Swordfighter and a Mii Gunner dressed up in special forces outfits were accompanying Faker, who was dressed in a different uniform compared to her dragon armor outfit. She still wore the necklace with the magical gemstone, but she was wearing a helmet with a headset and a torn-up military uniform. Her fingers were glowing with the Fire Rainbolement she learned how to harness, which doused out as soon as she saw the pink puffball standing in front of her.

"Kirby…" Faker wept, kneeling down and spreading her arms out for Kirby to run into her chest and hug her. She noticed he still had the watch-like device wrapped around his nonexistent shoulder, faintly beeping as soon as he emerged from his old.

"It's okay," Faker reassured. "Everything's going to be fine. Break open the pods!" The brown-skinned woman ordered the two Mii Fighters, who got to work. The Mii Gunner tossed his bombs that covered a radius wide enough to crack open few pods at a time, while the Mii Swordfighter slashed more of the pods with her sword. Just a minute or two later, all of the pods were cracked open, and the fighters that were trapped inside began coughing and gasping for breath as they tried to stand up on their own feet.

"No, Zelda… come back…" Link moaned, balancing himself with his Hylian Shield.

"We almost had you, Andross…" Falco groaned, rubbing his head from the splitting headache. Once each of the fighters came back to their senses, Mario laid his hands on Faker's shoulders.

"We remember who we are now," Mario sighed. "This is… This is amazing!"

"Amazing, we wish," the female Mii Swordfighter spoke out. "You had been out cold for five years, and we spent this time looking for you…" The fighters looked at each other, feeling surprised that they had been asleep for another half a decade.

"Then that means… Luigi… Zelda… Cloud… Sonic… all of the fighters we didn't get the chance to awaken… They're still out there!" Peach spoke up.

"Good luck finding them," the male Mii Gunner answered. "We've been searching for your buddies for five years and their whereabouts are still unknown. They're always on the move, these Primaries. Quickly adapting to the new world of Draxia, where every day is a starless night. We can't even tell the time anymore."

"Follow us," Faker told the group of fighters. The team walked beyond the pod area, and the Smashers were shocked by what they saw. Terrified, even. What once stood a beautiful world now remains a burning inferno of chaos, where there are no rules and logic to follow. Floating masses of matter remained suspended in midair, and there was no real form of terrain to stand on. All of the solid surfaces were just chunks of what remained of Gallia.

"Ready to jump?" Faker asked.

"Jump!?" Joker asked, holding hands with the brown-skinned woman as he looked down into the titanic abyss that seemed to extend all the way to the center of the planet. As soon as Faker jumped, the Phantom Thief was about to scream until he realized the gravity was all screwed up, meaning he could float to the other side of a larger chunk of rock with ease.

"Like we said," Faker told the fighters from across. "There are no rules to follow, meaning the gravity's all messed up in certain areas…" The fighters, after seeing it was safe, jumped across to the other side. For the rest of the journey to their destination, the team had to use vine bridges to cross. They eventually managed to arrive at the Undying Light… or whatever was still here. There was a small team of Spirits excavating the ship from what appeared to be a stone island, one that had a glowing violet crystal that provided light.

"Things had gone to shit after you vanished for five years," Faker explained. "Dharkon has captured Galeem and his armies, drastically changing this place. Once everything remained calm, we found the ship like this for some reason. We've been rescuing Spirits from multiple Supporters and even managed to hunt your own clones to extinction, but that's about it."

"Any reason why we were hidden in those pods to begin with?" Zero Suit Samus asked.

"Don't know," the female Mii Swordfighter responded. "Probably Dharkon wants you alive for whatever game he's planned."

"And what about the three fighters that survived Galeem's attack?" Ireburn asked.

"No one's seen them ever since the Movement of the Darkness," E. Gadd answered, the Spirit overhearing the conversation as he was helping dig out the ship with a soundproof jackhammer he just invented. "However, one of our Mii Fighter troops had spied mysterious figures each going into three separate areas that split off from the rock we're conveniently stuck on. A few months ago, we figured out Dharkon was living in some sort of void similar to how Galeem his from our reach. The only way we can get to him is through defeating each boss that lives in these three areas. Most of our comrades went into those places… but some never came out alive. Those that did managed to retreat but failed to finish their missions. If you want to go down those paths, be our guests. However, this world is dangerous. And I. Mean. LETHAL. You'll die seconds after stepping foot in those sub-areas." The E. Gadd Spirit then went back to work, and he was joined by Faker and the two Mii Fighters who were in the search party. Mario looked at the team, trying to figure out a plan on how to win and survive.

"Okeydokey," Mario told his comrades. "We had just defeated Galeem. And by 'just', I mean five years ago. Nonetheless, it's time we prepare to go up against an even worse foe, that being an extended family of the Seraph of Order. In order to defeat these bosses and fight our way to Dharkon, we need to split up into groups: A, B, and C." Mario then fixed the device on his wrist into a compass, watching as the digital needle was in an induced seizure, but it was almost always pointing north. There were three paths to choose from: one that led up north, one that led southeast, and one that led southwest.

"I, Donkey Kong, Link, Toon Link, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Red, Ness, Captain Falcon, Popo and Nana, Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Snake, Olimar, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, PAC-MAN, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Clementine, Simon, Joker, and Ireburn all take Group A, so we go southwest. Gilbert, Peach, Jigglypuff, Pikachu, Dr. Mario, Falco, and Diddy Kong, you're split into Group B and take the southeast path. Sherry, Samus, Bowser, Pichu, Lucas, King Dedede, Lucario, Isabelle, and Piranha Plant, you all stay in Group C and head up north. We each head back once we're finished with our missions, okay?" All of the fighters nodded in agreement, knowing which teams they are divided into.

Checking the compasses on each of their watch-like devices, they noticed their digital compasses trying to point north and knew where to go. Group C walked off north while Group B journeyed through northeast. Group A was about to head down southwest before Faker approached them one more time, wanting to speak to Kirby.

"Kirby… you may not know this, but… I've missed you for a while. When you removed fractions of my amnesia, I was starting to think clearly now. I've been able to learn from and control my powers just from the memories of a dragon. I'm hoping you can uncover more of my past. The stone I gave you seems to be helping you I these dark times…" Faker then clasped her hands over Kirby's stubby ones, giving him the stone she kept around her neck.

"Thank you for clearing my mind," Faker responded with a smile on her face. She then stepped back, waving her goodbyes. The Villager patted the puffball's back, knowing they and their friends will make it through. The three groups split apart from the submerged Undying Light, unaware that Dharkon himself was watching them through a magical mirror.


The Lord of Darkness kept his literal eye on Group A, watching that team of fighters slither down the bridge made out of roots. When he looked back in the pitch-black void he was living in, he gazed upon his own army. Warriors known as Dark Puppets stood in front of him, looking similar to the Light Puppets but were completely black with a red aura around them. The Supporters had eyes glowing violet, and the Primaries had the purple eyes but red aura around their bodies. The Subspace Army kept close to the possessed Mii Brawlers, and the laughter of the Crazy Hands echoed throughout the Dharkon Void, filling it with an unnerving disturbance.

"The Super Smash Brothers have managed to wake up," Dharkon calmly growled. "Now the game can truly begin. Go out into the World of Darkness and end their lives here and now." The army of darkness vanished from the creature's sight, and Flowey himself remained. He was still looking as innocent and as dangerous when he first appeared in the World of Light.

"…And why are you not leaving?" Dharkon asked, his glowing eye illuminating light on the demon flower.

"It's because… how do I put this lightly…? Um…" Flowey stammered. "Ya see, I came across these guys in the past, and they managed to overwhelm the forces of light."

"I am aware of that," Dharkon responded. "After all, I tortured that kind of information from my brother Galeem…"

"What I'm trying to say is even if you have forced Tabuu to do your dirty work with the Subspace Army, don't underestimate these fighters… especially the pink puffball they call Kirby. He's the only one of his pals to make it out alive and join forces with other survivors. With the darkness feuling my rage, I don't think it can make a difference."

"How do you know if you had never tried to use these powers?" Dharkon answered in the form of a question. The Seraph of Chaos then levitated higher into the air, still looking down on Flowey.

"Get on with it! Go on!" Dharkon commanded. Flowey willingly did as the Lord of Darkness had commanded, pulling out his own roots and leaving from the Dharkon Void. Just then, the Ganondorf Primary approached the Seraph of Chaos.

"Did I not tell you to leave?" Dharkon asked, his tentacles slithering around him.

"Why yes you did," the Ganondorf Primary responded, his voice sounding as calm and tempting as Dharkon's while also sounding rather familiar.

"So what brings you here, Mephiles?" Dharkon asked. Emerging from the Ganondorf Primary was a Spirit that appeared to be a Master Legendary, kneeling before the Seraph of Chaos. He appeared as some sort of dark-blue hedgehog similar to Sonic, his white markings shining like foggy ice. His most prominent features were his crystalline hands and legs. What made this Spirit even stranger was the fact that he lacked a nose and mouth, and he had red sclera, green irises, and slit black pupils.

"I came to check in and see how your reign of terror was going," the Mephiles Spirit spoke. "From the looks of things, it seems like you're doing fine…"

"You are different from the other Master Legendries, Mephiles," Dharkon noted, watching as the Spirit floated back into the empty Ganondorf Primary. "Somehow, you are the only one to find a way around the Dharkon Lock and interact with the physical world around you. I can see you are rather special…"

"I am intelligent, after all," the Ganondorf Primary said. "It's a good thing Ganondorf's Fighter Spirit isn't around to get back into his body before he and the others escaped years ago from your grasp… Besides, what about the one you did capture?"

"The glitch?" Dharkon replied. "Do not worry about him. I have managed to lock him up in chains. I am keeping him like a lab rat, changing and altering his chemistry, turning him into my most powerful soldier yet. He might even work by your side once I release him. Now, head to the Sacred Land. The first group will not survive through the remaining pieces of Hyrule... Now go out and stop these warriors."

"I will not disappoint you, Dharkon," the Ganondorf Primary noted, genuflecting before turning around and walking away. The Seraph of Chaos looked around the empty place, floating towards Tabuu bound in Chains of Darkness.

"Ten long years, and I am still not free," Tabuu sighed, his butterfly wings drooping down his back. "Just because I command Subspace doesn't mean I am instantly used as a tool."

"And how would I know you would not turn your back on me?" Dharkon asked, running one of his black-tendril appendages down the chains. They all led to some sort of birdcage carved out of iron if it was smoldered in hellish flames. Galeem in his dragon form lived in there, his six angelic wings held up by the chains, both pairs of his legs shackled together, and his own face muzzled so that he can still talk but he cannot use his Rainbolements to escape.

"Uncomfortable, brother?" Dharkon asked. "I can see I would not have a fun time in here if I was in your place."

"I wish," Galeem growled. "How did you change appearances in YOUR prison?"

"I can say the same for you, Galeem," Dharkon answered.

"Then why don't you kill me and put out every last light?" Galeem snarled, struggling with his shackles.

"I only need you to hold everything in place," Dharkon answered. "I only want to give your prisoners a false sign of hope. But I can assure you: if these fighters become as strong as one of your men claimed to be true, there will be disastrous consequences. Whatever happened to you changed me into what you see…" One of Dharkon's tentacles brushed against the left side of Galeem's face, not even hurting the Seraph of Order, and he revealed a golden scar on the dragon's left eye. Galeem rubbed his face into his shackled fore paw, getting rid of his brother's thorny tip caressing his features.

"You know about the Mother too, don't you?" Galeem growled, his golden orbs reflecting the dim light of Dharkon's eyeball.

"Only one of us can strive to her rule," Dharkon responded. "Whether one of us wins, it would not matter for the Forgotten Resistance. Their time is already running out under her grasp…"

Chapter 62: Your Best Nightmare

Summary:

As Group A travels through an abandoned city to their main sub-area, they confront Flowey, who still has a knack for killing them even after five years of their absence.

Chapter Text

Group A began traveling down the bridge made out of roots, each one of their fighters trying to keep their balance. Once they got to the end, their feet began crunching with the sound of snow. Mario and Zero Suit Samus looked around and saw nothing but a dystopian city. Buildings and skyscrapers stood tall in ruin, their windows shattered and dead plants rotting in abandoned parks. Human skeletons were rather common in the crumbled streets, some cryogenically frozen while others burned as though a pyromaniac was present before. Billboards littered with advertisements laid broken on the sidewalks, and parts of futuristic vehicles littered what once were beautiful gardens. Bronze statues of men dressed in clothing from the 1800's or animals rusted from the snow and corroded from the bird droppings permanently stuck to them.

As the Smashers walked through this barren landscape, Ness found something inside the arms of a little girl's corpse, which was decaying slowly because of the frost coating her skin. When the black-haired PSI boy gently opened them up, he found a doll the size of his hand. He noticed the doll survived with one of its button eyes missing due to the burn marks on the fabric. Ness looked at Kirby, who was starting to become terrified of this new place. This troubled the pink puffball greatly as he looked across the city in ruins. Twenty years ago, he was just an ordinary, run-of-the-mill superhero fighting a strange god imprisoned on a planet. Now he had lost almost all of his friends in the middle of a full-blown war where one side takes over for five years. He took the doll out of Ness' hands, starting to feel sorry about what happened to these people, especially the murder spree of thousands upon millions of children that didn't even survive past infancy from the threat that is Dharkon.

"We can make it through this," Ness told Kirby as the pink puffball hugged the doll, tears dripping down his face. "We won't suffer like those poor souls did…"

The team continued walking through the desolated utopian, their footsteps marking prints in the snow. Because this was Draxia, they paid no attention to a team of Primids scuttling through the skyscrapers up high. The Duck Hunt dog suddenly heard the faint sound of glass breaking and perked his droopy ears up, and the duck member of the team noticed the sounds too.

"What is it, guys?" Fox asked, walking over to Duck Hunt. The Star Fox leader then started picking up familiar scents… a smell that stayed behind even after five years of hibernation. Once he recognized the aroma, Fox suddenly heard light rumbling underneath his feet. He quickly grabbed both the duck and the dog by their necks and ran back with them towards the group. Just where Fox and Duck Hunt stood emerged the thorny vines of Flowey.

All of the fighters in the group turned around and saw the demon flower glaring at them soullessly, licking his own lips of the brine they leaked. All types of Primids broke out of the windows from the skyscrapers and surrounded the team, with the Incineroar Primary right in front of Flowey.

"You… You sent me to this hellish place!" Flowey snarled, his stem bulging with different infant limbs. More vines emerged from the back of his head, changing drastically. "Because of you, I was banished like the others! The way you convinced the guys that worked for Galeem to change isn't gonna work on me! Now I know my true place here in Draxia! Dharkon has given me a strength I had before! You and the Primids better keep them company while I transform, Zavok!"

"With pleasure," the Incineroar Primary responded. Inside the body of the Pokémon was the Spirit of a leader of the Deadly Six that resided in the Lost Hex found in Sonic's world: a Zeti known as Zavok. The many different types of Primids were just ready to attack, and the Incineroar Primary was popping the bones in his neck as he approached them.

"Okay, never mind," Flowey answered, sounding more demon-like. "I take care of these bitches while you feast on their flesh!" When the Smashers looked behind the Incineroar Primary and the Primid army, they became shocked with terror. What they saw was no longer the flower they had gotten used to. Because of the darkness fueling his powers, it was impossible to tell what was about to happen next after the transformation. The enormous creature standing before them had the face of a TV screen, rigged with wires and cables. Vines slithered around his elongated, swan-like stem, with flames ready to burst from the budding flowers and ninja stars spinning with the thorns at their centers. The most terrifying feature had to be the strange mouth at the center, which had four human-like eyes and a vertical mouth with goat's teeth and a bull's nostrils.

"̖̱̹̬̳͇̯Ǧ͕̝͐ͦ̃a͎̼z̽ë͚͇͙͈ͥ̎ͭ̆͋ ̮̅͛͂͒̚b̖̰͎̹̤̪̲ͦ͆̓̌ͨe̞͉̯̱̒͊̾ͅf̓͌̿̆͂ȯͯ̌ͮr͊̈̎ë̞͕͎̦́̅͊́͑ͯ͛ ̲̻̬͎̻͈̽̇t̩͈̊ͪh̻͛ȇ͎̹̙͙͈ͯ̔̂͂ ͍̇̇̽ͩ̈ͫ̏h̥̱̙̻̳ͪ̒͂oͨ̌͗ȑ͓̰̹͔r̯̯͑̑̄̆ͭo̯ͬͤͧ̉ͭr̭͖͖̩͈͓͆̀̀ͩ̈͛ ͦ͊t͇͙̘̤̖͓͍h͗ͯ̆ạ̙̩͑͒̏̓̀t̼̲̼͍͍͉ͣ̾ͯ̑̇̍̔ ̱͍̫̤̽̋ͣ̈́i̼̯̖̟̼͕̼ͥ̈́ͣs̩͈̝͕̱ͫͧ̽ ̟̩̈̽̉Ḁ͐͂̋̑̑̚s̫̗̦̦̰̫͌ͫ̈́̓̆̍ŕ̬̟̻͖̞͙͚̓̆̚i̠̼͈̅͋ͦ͌̍ͦe̬͙̘̪̰̟̫l̹̦̟͖͊ ̙̥̠̳̝̥ͬtͮ̏h̞̽͗̔̓̒ȅ̯ͩͭ͊ͣ̚ͅ ̤̻̻̗̜͓̾͆ͧͥ̾̏Ô̙̽͑̒̆͗̚m̜̙̺̩͍̔ͧ̀̿͑ͧe͉̼̹͓̣͓̔g͕̗̠̲a̫̪̻͉̮̥͊̓̒ͨ͌͋̈ ͕ͯ͛͊F̞̘̖͖͍̋͊͐̂̾l͔̻̗̥̮̮̝͊̅̽̈́̑o̫̔w̤͊ͬ̂̏̔̌e̻y̞̖͓̦͊ͅ,̈́ͭ̏ͤ̃̌ ̦̣̫̖͚͒ͯs̖̟̍͊͛͒̈́o͓̩̦͍͆̂͋̇̊̀̂ͅṉ̖ͅ ̘̥͒̊͒̔̃ͮo̯͇̦̖̿̔͋̚ͅf̯̯̉̎̌͌̆ͭ̽ ̯͈͕̱͉̐̊̆̊T͉̲a̰̦͓̭͐̇͑̎̚ǘ̿̾r͉̻̼̲̯̯̥̾͛ī̠͎͈ͮe̪ͧ͌l̹̂ͯ̂̍̔͊ ͨä̘̗̏̅̏̂͛̇n̘̝̺̥̫̎̿̿ͯ̿̆d̟̙̖̣͓͛ ͕̣̮̝͙̥͙̈́͆K͖̻̯̰͙̉̑̅̇̒ͯ̔ỉ̭n̩̩̞̻̱̯̉̐ͩ̍̊̚g͂͛ͫ̏ ͔̯̫̲̠͖̥̓͆̍A̮̺s̘̼̙̲̭͊ͦ̿ͦ͂ǧ̒̈ͮ̄͂ȏ͓̲̾̐̌ͦr͐ͤ̾̍ͮȅ̠̂̐!͓̩͎̝̫͇̐͐ͧ̽́͛"͓̳̲͕̜̲ͭ̈̃ the creature snarled. "̠̪͖̜̣̠͍ͬͪD̑͒̃̉ḫ̯̥̞̱̩͍̍͑ͮ̾̑͊̾a̙͓̤̳̻̹̝ͬṙ̙̚k̟̭͍̈́̆̓ͅo̤̹̓͑̍͒̑n͙̯͇'͖͊̌ͥ̈̌̒s̭̯̠̙̘͐͂̌ͤ ̬͕̳̣̤̘̽͛̍w̟͈͖͔̝ͤi̼̺͖̦̗͍̍ͦ̀ͤ̍͑̏l̞͈l̖̙̜̬̘̒͐͌̓̅̂̈ ̗͈͈̭̪͍̍̈͛ͪ͑̒s̙̺̪̗͈͗ͩh̪͖̥̬̮̠̊̆͌ͮͧͭ̾a̝̙̱̼͎̬̤̍̍̈́̈́͋̈l̯̙̮̳̻̭̓͊ͣ͊ͧ̏ͩl̪̹͖̑̑ͭ̑ ̼̼͐̏̀̃̑ͥb̥̗̩̟͕̜̑ͣ͐̈e̜̲͗̂̅͑̇ͫ ̝̺̼̺̜̹̎ͪ̅̓̍ͅd̜̗̼͈͉͈͛͂oͩͩͥ͊͛͑ͨn̘͇̫̯ͣ̾ͦͮe̜̲̥̝͖̺̮ͭ̒͌͂,͍͎ ̬͂͊̎̎͐̆ạ̫̈́̃nd͕̼̠̲́ ͈̠̬͇͚̖͍̑̈́̾̎̏͊ͧỷ̭̙̦̇ͦͧ͒͋ŏ̉̍ũ͊ͭ̎̔ ̜̪̪ͦ͌̓ͭ̐w̱̦̘̗̜̰̑ͤͮͅil͔̰̼̤̈́l͍͖̺̭̐̀̄̎ͅ ̹ͯ̈a͎̖̩̲͚̙ͭ͂ͬ͆̌̈́ͅl͉̈ͤl̰̬̦̠͉͉ͭͫ͂ ̖͊̓̑̉̌̆̊p̫͓͚̯̐́e̩͍͖̳̤̽̓͑ͩr͖̥̰͈̳̈́ͯ͊ͩ̚ͅiͬ̇̿ͣ͆̃s͎ͬ̀h̅̔͗̓ͧ͊ ̞̯͔̞͉ͫ͗͌u͉͈̮͙̥ndͧ̋̏er̪̼̱̳̦̩͔ͯ ͇̳͈̭̈h̞̩̪͚̜̰̬͗̄ͩȋ̫̠̳̪̥̉̈̃̚ͅs͕͉͊̐̓ͨ̍́̚ ͔̙̌ͫn̹̳͑̌̉à̹̹̃m̥͐͐̇̈́̏̔̚é͉!͔̪ͤ̆ͭ"͖̜̆̆̈́ͬͣ̚ After the monster flower mocked the fighters with his signature laughter straight from hell, the Primids and the Incineroar Primary pounced straight after the group.

The Incineroar Primary locked fists with Mario, trying to preform a sumo throw on the red plumber before he quickly jumped out of the way and kicked the captured fighter's face. Fox teamed up with Pit and quickly pulled out their reflectors to send projectiles back at the Scope Primids that fired their weapons. Zero Suit Samus used her Plasma Whip against the incoming Metal Primids and Fire Primids. Joker pulled off his mask and fought alongside his Persona Arsene against the Giant Primids that were knocking down a few smaller skyscrapers.

The Omega Flowey simply sat in place doing nothing as the large team of fighters went up against the Incineroar Primary having just struck down the large army of Primids rather quickly with their combined strength. Sheik went up first and began moving fast enough so that the captured fighter could not tell what she was about to do. While Sheik kept slashing with her knives, the Incineroar Primary grabbed ahold of the Sheikah and began throwing her around. As an act of revenge, Donkey Kong quickly jumped in and used his Cargo Throw on the captured fighter, with the gorilla slamming the Pokémon's body into the concrete street. While DK was busy with the Primary, Mario approached the Omega Flowey and quickly charged up a powerful fire blast with his powers. However, the demonic abomination of a monster used one of his thorny vines to slither up to Mario and simply swat the red plumber's hand just as he was ready to fire. The charged blast shot all the way to the top of another skyscraper, surprising Mario.

"̗̹̲̺̗ͦͧ͒̌́̍̚D͎̺͈͈̖͇̘ͧo̟̮̻͉̭̍ͬ̒ ẏ̟̃̂̀̉ͮͅo̹̦͇͂ͨ̈́̍ͭͣü̻̜̮̘̑̇͊̂ ̟̮̩̱͒ͭͮ̏ͤr̘̋ͅe̦̟a͔̩̖̩͇l͔͎͈ͮ͗̒ͯͫͅl͊̀͒̄ͯͦ̚y̬̳̲̆̒ͬ͋̄ ̥̣̩̲̬tͫͬͨ͐̊h̔̔̆͋͛͛i̟͆̔̈̽n̙̪̘̟̺̉͋̊ͥ͑̒̀k̦̺̬̳̊̄ͧ͌ͬ̚ ͖̼̭̻̾̋̆̓͊͌ͨy͍̘ỏ̺̯͎̇̆̈̃̊u͚͖̱̦͉̎͛͗̌ ̲̥͓̂͌̎̈́͊ͦc̳̦̘̣͑͆̉̌̂̀ͅͅͅa̘̺̪͌ͦn͚̘̈̑̉̅ͪͬ͆ͅ ̖̣̼̪̘͕̤̅̂̀s̈́̇͒̏͊͗ͭt̩̺̟͉̓ͅő̔p͙̔͆̑ ͉̰̳̤͔̳ͤ͛̓̄m̟̮͓̪͓ȅͧ̉,͓̞̥̻̣̝́ͯ͑ e͇̠̬ͭ͊̌ṿ̘͓͙̓̅̈ͬ̑ͭ́e̩n̘̱̥͗̿ ͉̠̋ͅw̔i͖̞̩͖̤̮̯̓̏̈́̆ͩt̬̙̮̏̏͑h̬͙͓ͬ͒ͧ̎́͆͌ ͕̬̤̗̗̒̽ͣ̊͒̚y̠̤̙̳̆͊o̞̯̹̺̬̞̼ͦͯu̘͌̏̍̃̒ͩͧͅṟ̠̠̩̣͚̠̌͋ͥ ͈̜̩̮̻ͫ̽c̼̣̘͚̩͑̽̈́ͣ̿o͙ͯ̔ͥ̄ͮ͋͑m̹̥̗̹͔͎͇ͥ̔b͈̖̄ͦ̓i͇̹͔ͫ̽ͅn͉̙͔̎ė̜̪͛͂̐̐ͥd̬̜͓̲͇̆̑ͅ ͍̣͌̉s̩̐͆ṯ̥̣ͯ̈̅̄r̺̝̣̹̰̓ͧ̓̓e̝̫͗ṅ̜̹͈̝̇̽͛ǵ̫͉ͯ̂̄t̬̹̜͔͙͉̦ͥ͆͐ͪḧ͈̲̻̦͉͍́?̗̽̅̒̅͆"̝̫̹̦͓͖͕̆͊̈́͗ the Omega Flowey asked, all of his vines emerging from behind his TV screen face.

"This… looks like overkill…" Pit stammered, ready to fire his bow at the monster's face.

"͍̫̰͖̜̼͇̆D̲̥͇̱̼ọ͇̞̣̥ͪͣͬ̿n̦̘͓̤̐'̗̒t̞̖ͅ ̪w̮̗̠̰̩͎͑̐o̲̳̰̦̦̝ͦ̋̆̔̒̒r̺̝͎̳̼̳̱̾ͭͥ̋̈r̲̫̭̲͇̦͕ͩ̒̄̽y̏,̪͉̟̝̩̭͕̈́̂"̳̠̥̥̻ͦ͐ͤ́͑̚ the creature growled, ready to attack. "̞̘̰̼͙͙̽̒̄ͅI̋̌ͪ̇ͯͪ'̬̜̖͙̣͍̾ͭl̤̤ͭͫ͛ͭͣ̾̑l̟̰ͭ̄̓ͥͩ̊̚ ̗ͦ̒̓m̻̻̗̦̖̭̊̎̃̊̌ͬa͇̓̒ͤ̌ͥk͚͔͖͔̬͔͙̑̉ͦ̿̈́͗eͮ͋ ̮̹̘̠̦̠̓ͯ́̆̚ẗ͓̜̣̯͈͛̎ͨͨ̈͂h̗̬̱̬͔͍ͅi̱̺̳̿̑̌͐̊ͥ̚s̰̰̝ͪ̓̈́ ̙͕ͭ̉̅̍ͅq̹͚̻ͨ̐ͮṷ̘͚̠͔̞ͭ̉ͯ͌͗̉̂i̳̳̯͇͓͇ͧ̆ͤ͂c̖͈̪̙̱̤̺ͬ̏ͨ̃͂ͦk̏̆͑̎̆ͯ.͌ͭ͆̎͊̏.̦̜̏͋ͣ. ͛̏̈́̄q͗ͪͭ̔̄̚u͊̄i̞̖̍c̼͔k͓̞̩̺̐̃̓̑̍ ͉̓ͧ̈́̄̽̔a͕͖̦̙̘̳͐͐̾̀ͣn̫͇̠̖̄̓̏͆͗ͮd͙̬̥̻̖̦̞ ̩̬̲̪͕͕ͨ͐̀̀p̘̍̃͆a̭̩͍̻̼̣̘̽̔ͯ̊̓̅i͂̇̃̂̓̅n̺̤̝̉̽͂̈͒̚f̄̎̔̚ú̜͈̼̤̜̩ͥͅl̤̙̱̤͚̪̐!͕̦̜͑ͨͯ̉̀̌ The Omega Flowey quickly pulled out two flamethrowers, firing gigantic blasts of fire that looked like gods compared to Mario's most power attack.

"DK, look out!" Ireburn exclaimed, jumping right in front of Donkey Kong while he was busy pummeling the Incineroar Primary to kill percent. The Luminary quickly cast his Bounce spell, reflecting the flames that went straight for the gorilla. When they hit the Omega Flowey, they only did one point of damage even when combined. From what they could tell, the creature known as Asriel had about a million health points, and all of his attacks built up tons of damage upon the fighters, making the Omega Flowey by far THE most overpowered boss in existence.

"Are you kidding me!?" Ireburn asked, pushing Donkey Kong away from the demonic flower. When the gorilla finally threw the Incineroar Primary at the Omega Flowey, the impact of the thrown captured fighter also only did one point of damage. The humanlike eyes on the monster's body sent out tens of thousands of fast ninja stars at the fighters, forcing them to take cover behind the bronze statues and futuristic vehicles.

"Anybody got any bright ideas!?" Mario asked. Link quickly pulled out his Sheikah Slate and took a picture of the Omega Flowey, ducking back in time behind his hiding spot with the device as another hundred ninja stars were cast out onto the streets.

"This might be the most difficult fight yet!" Link answered, checking the stats of the Omega Flowey on his Sheikah Slate. "According to my sources, this guy has tons of health, is practically invincible to whatever we throw at him, even his own reflected projectiles, and can instantly kill us with just a few of his projectiles which are at so many and so random even Mega Man will call bullshit!" While Link was talking, the Omega Flowey began sending out tons of vines at the skyscrapers, knocking many over and forcing Group A to take cover behind fire hydrants, lamp posts, and even hiding in alleyways.

"̞͇͊̊̊̓̀̊T̲͖͇̹̮͍̠ͤh̖͔̪̺͉̐͋͌̄̆ͪa̻̳͐n͖ͮ̎̓̊k̩̝̬̘͍̤͆̽͊͒͊̄̃ ̹̟̲̪̹̙ͭ͋̄̇ͯy̱͖͖͎̗o̤͈̝̥͖̳ͅu͔̺̹͕̹̹̹͑,̼̥̇ ̞̙̣̀̑̈S̖̭̳̜̯ͯe̻̖͔̖̗̯̰̾̇̈͒r̼͙̱̙͈̱͑ͭaͬ͆ͩͮ̍ͣ̚p̟̖̺͔̗̙̼ͪͧ͑h̗͎̼͖̩̺̀͐̊ͨ͂̏ͅ ͙̥̂ͩ͊̒̓̚o̲̜͍͚͔̮͖̎̐̌ͯ̂̄ḟ̲͙͐ͭ͑̐̌ͅ ͓̅̋ͮ̽ͧ̇C͇̭ͭͯͯ̂ͯh͈̹̥̥̘̩͊̾͆ͪ̌ͬa̖̘̥̱ͨ̾͐͌o͚̥̮͎̬̞̍͆͊̓͗ͨ̚s͖̬̼̞̫̯̘ͮ͐̇̅!̭̹͙͇̅̒̍͆͒͋̆ ̬͐̈̊I͛̅ ̤͉͕̰͖̮ͧ̽̔l̗̱͍͓͒̆͛̂ͣo̱̳̳ͬͥ͌̾̓̋ṿé̝̫͖̲̲̗̣̄̽ ̪̲̥͛ͯͧt̆ͮͣh͍̮̳̯̜̗̖̽̌ͤ͐͆i̮͕̒ͬ̍̉́s̗̳̱̦̲̽ͪͬ ̬̙̂̑ͩͪ̏̏͑j̼̈̊ọ̘͈̘b̾͂̒ͪ!̉̓͆͛ͬ̈́́"͙ͦ͑̎ the Omega Flowey laughed, getting used to his powers due to having them before. He then spawned about ten circles in the air, each one carrying thousands of small but dangerous seeds that flew around like rapid-fire bullets. The Inkling quickly threw her Splat Bomb at the Omega Flowey's face from behind a broken monorail train, obstructing his view with the orange ink. The bullet seeds still flew hard and fast, piercing through the metal in some of the futuristic vehicles.

Kirby held on tight to the burnt doll from before, hiding in an abandoned flea market with Ireburn next to him. He held tight to the Hero's outfit as the Omega Flowey moved from his spot and went throughout the city to search for the fighters that scattered around to different corners of the metropolis. Despite his size, Asriel was extremely fast.

"̰̓͆ͤC̱͚͙̿ͪo͇͉̟̮̝͛ͪm̍̈́̎ͧ̿ͣe̱̟̯̦̰͙ͮ ̫̘̮̪̠̲͊͌o̲̘ͨ̂ͅṷ̹͍̠̝͉͑tͧ,̲̯̙̹̈̉̅̐ͥ̎̆ ̈́̌̌c̲̔ͤȯ̦̱ͦͧ̃͌ͩͤm͖̹̰̞͇̪͗͗e͙ ͇̹̻͉͕̗͓ͣ̈̔̾͐̒̄ỏ̖͚̠̺̺̖̄̇ͩ̈́̔u̩͕̯̫̪̹̽̿̇t̪̪̰͍͚,͎͇̲̥̥̙ͩ̄̃̏͗ͧ̚ ̞͌ͥ́͌͑w͉ͯ͊͛͒̋h͕͉̻̹͆ͤ̍̌̚ẹ̹͈̳ͬ̂ͣͫ͋̑r̰͛̾e͍̯͒ͦ̎͐v̮̣͍͓͇͈̘͛̄͑e̺̠̜͎̓ͨ͑r̙̤̖̯͙̣͗͌ͭ͌̈́̇̈́ ̼ͨͮͩ͆̽y̺͈͚̝̙̥̅ͬ͛̍ͣͬo̞̦̻͉̪̯͇ͯ̈ͭ̃̂́̐u̲̦ͤͥ ̻͙̮̣̯͔̝ͦ͋a͉̹̥̫̾̾ͩr̫̫̝̲e͓̺͖ͯͦ͆̈́̑ͪ!͚̟͚͎͕ͤ̂ͅ"̊͋ͣ̏̀̍͋ the Omega Flowey snarled, his TV screen face showing a moving picture of an eerie-looking man. The strange, goat-teeth mouth the monster had started firing a mass array of missiles, blowing up many different buildings and railways throughout the town. The flowers on his thorny vines transformed into Venus flytraps, which released scents that attracted swarms of flies towards him.

Mario tried burning down the incoming flies just before they hit him, but he had to take cover due to those bugs being invincible as they zoomed like bullets. Link and Toon Link pulled up their versions of the Hylian Shield, each one of those tools strong enough to avoid impact. Once all the flies entered into the Venus flytraps, they clamped shut before turning back into the budding flowers. He then began sending out three large bouncing vines with mouths at the ends of them, crashing into more buildings and trying to get the constantly-moving Smashers spamming whatever projectiles they have and throwing them at the Omega Flowey deal knowing he has the highest defense of all the enemies they came across recently. The monster laughed as he pulled out a wall of hands, each one firing bullets of fingers at the hiding fighters.

"….That's it!" Eleven snapped, unsheathing his sword and jumping out of his hiding spot from the flea market. "I don't care if he has no weakness! This bastard HAS TO DIE!" The mark on the Luminary's left hand started glowing again, showing he had already activated his Psyche Up spell and had just multiplied his attack for his Kamikaze spell. The fighters watched as the Hero ran headfirst into a chaotic spree of missiles, seeds, and ninja stars, his body ready to self-destruct with his input damage doubled by the enhance spell he cast before with Psyche Up.

Once the Omega Flowey took a good look at the Luminary ready to strike, it was already too late for the monster to attack. The eerie face on the TV screen vanished to show the surprised yellow flower.

"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee!" Ireburn yelled, landing his sword right into the TV screen face of Asriel right at the moment he self-destructed. The Hero's body spontaneously combusted, blowing up right inside the Omega Flowey. The damage dealt when multiplied by the Psyche Up spell read "999999 DMG" on top of the monster. From the flames emerged the demonic screams of Flowey, echoing throughout the dystopian city. The fighters each took cover in their planted spots, waiting the explosion out until the dust and snow settled and the smoke cleared.

"Ireburn!" Joker exclaimed, running towards where Ireburn sacrificed himself. The Phantom Thief adjusted the mask on his face and cleared the smoke by waving his hand, desperate about Eleven's own health. Once everything remained calm, the fighters managed to find the Hero's body resting in the rubble of the street. Joker's face began to tear up, his gray eyes filled with fear that he might lose the one he befriended for five years. The Phantom Thief hugged Ireburn's limp chest, sobbing into it and afraid that his companion's life was just about over. The other fighters bowed their heads in grief, knowing they had lost one of their friends from his own arrogance. Suddenly, the Hero quickly opened his eyes and gasped for breath. The Smashers began feeling signs of relief, and Joker backed away to give the Luminary some space.

"Mother of Hylia!" Sheik snapped. "Don't scare us like that again!"

"I… had no idea I could survive from that," Ireburn noted. "I was sure I was gonna die from the impact…" Link pulled out his Sheikah Slate again, scanning Eleven for any vital signs.

"Apparently the pods we slept in did do something to us after all," Link explained, surprised by the results. "Our skills have been enhanced to a point that some moves can exhaust us greatly until we can't move, but we cannot die either. How strange…"

"Over there!" Fox told his friends, pointing to the body of the Incineroar Primary. The Dharkon Lock's tentacles shattered into a red mist, floating above the Pokémon's body. Like the Galeem Lock, the red mist was attracted to the stone that Kirby swallowed before and entered inside the pink puffball. Kirby's eyes glowed a deep red this time, making him freeze in place and drop the doll he was carrying. Like all those other times before, Kirby was heading back to Arcus from where he left off.


Kirby rubbed his cuddly face, tapping the Smash Ball on his forehead. The pink puffball woke up near a pond so he could look at his reflection and take a good look at the golden eyes and rainbow aura. He then started hearing screaming from a distance, and reddened light illuminating behind him that provided the only light so far in this darkened world. Kirby saw the city of Civiltatula being burned to the ground, and Crazy Hands zapping down the buildings and hovels. Not even the dragons that can use their powers to put out the fires could stop them from spreading as they were shot from the sky by the Hands of Destruction. Kirby quickly ran towards the burning city and watched far and wide as there were many dragons that evacuated their home. There were others, even families young and old, that were incinerated alive from simply staying in their own homes for safety, their skills and abilities unable to save them.

Once the fire calmed down a tad bit, all of Civiltatula's survivors were dragged out by the Crazy Hands and rounded up into a crowd. Hakai, forever transformed into a glowing-violet Crazy Hand, levitated right in front of them.

"Submit yourselves to Dharkon and we will spare you," Hakai ordered. The other Crazy Hands made their finger gun gestures and pointed at the dragons, ready to fire their bullets.

"We will never surrender," one dragon answered. "We will hold onto the light even with our lives…" There were several more dragons that agreed with what he just said, most of them ready to die. Since most of the dragons were not afraid to die, the Crazy Hands grabbed those that were frightened and transformed them. The Hands could read the minds of the dragons and could tell if they wanted to join their armies or not. Those that they grabbed twisted their own bodies and turned into more Crazy Hands.

"Fire away, boys," the violet Crazy Hand commanded as he and the newly transformed dragons soared away into the air to spread across the rest of the planet. The Crazy Hands started firing with their finger gun gestures, obliterating the dragons that refused.

Kirby ran towards the cave far from Civiltatula, which happened to be the home Metallio and Toropikaru had always lived in. The two dragons watched with sorrow and grief as their eyes reflected the light of the burning city, the cries of its residents echoing throughout the land.

"It looks terrible, does it not?" Phoenix asked. The Lord of Darkness had instantly appeared behind his parents, his true form hidden in the shadow of the cave. His arrival surprised the two dragons, and they instantly became relieved to see their child.

"We were so worried," Toropikaru answered. "Hopefully you were not involved in that coup d'état… Why would you come to us…?"

"I spent too much time away from you and Father," Phoenix responded, his blue eyes staring past his parents to watch the burning city.

"…What are talking about?" Metallio asked before he noticed something different about their child's eyes.

"Phoenix, what happened to your eyes?" Toropikaru asked. "Your voice has also… changed…"

"It is nothing," Phoenix answered. "You two obviously need some rest."

"But we're fine," Toropikaru objected, she and her husband starting to become worried about their son.

"Nonsense," Phoenix answered, his six tentacle wings slithering out from the shadows. "I think it would be best if you went to sleep…" The two dragons became terrified of what their child had become, afraid to even lay a claw on their son now.

Galeem landed in the middle of the forest in front of their parents' cave. Ultima started to wake up, still holding onto the egg of Inkereign. Medley carried Sozo and her unhatched child Glimmeress next to the two siblings, waiting for them to catch their breath. The Lord of Light managed to catch the shadowy figure of Dharkon fly out of the cave, the thunder rolling across the air and carried along with his wings.

"We're too late," Galeem sighed, already knowing what happened in there.

"No we're not," Ultima objected, pushing the egg she carried towards Sozo. "Stay here with the eggs until we get back." She and her brother glided on the cliffside, grabbing onto the edge and pulling themselves up. Ultima was the first one to climb up, and she saw the bodies of Metallio and Toropikaru lying at the cave's entrance. She slowly approached the two dragons, confident that they were just asleep.

"Mommy? Daddy? We have to leave," Ultima said, nudging the limp arms. "Come on… please don't do this to me…" The Queen of Arcus started to tear up, her breathing turning into silent sobs. She placed her paw on her mother's neck, trying to feel at least a pulse. What she felt was… nothing. Ultima, suddenly realizing her parents were killed without the blood, cried into their lifeless corpses. Galeem flew up in time to catch his sister crying over their dead parents. Because of Dharkon exiting the cave, Galeem knew the Seraph of Chaos was the one to blame.

"When Dharkon falls into our clutches, he's going to wish he was never born!" Galeem cussed, the golden flames bursting out of his nostrils in short puffs. Ultima lifted her head and looked back on her brother, whom she knew was always with her.

"We have to find a safe place from our brother," Ultima told Galeem. "I've heard about a chamber which only the most intelligent dragons know about its whereabouts. Get Sozo, your wife, and the eggs and follow me." Ultima soared out of the cave, waiting for Galeem to get their friends.

"Whatever Dharkon found to make himself all-powerful," Galeem spoke to himself, "I wish to grab it and burn away the chaos he started. I will be the one to bring him to his knees…" As Galeem stood near the entrance of the cave for a while longer, the Smash Ball attached to Kirby flashed a deep red this time, and the environment was clouded with darkness. Once the environment went black, Kirby woke up from his first vision in Draxia.


The pink puffball felt the Duck Hunt dog sniff him, his cold nose causing Kirby to shiver. As Kirby sat up, he felt relieved to see his friends.

"Cineroar!" Incineroar happily growled, waving his hand and revealing he was lacking the purple eyes and red aura, free from Dharkon's grasp. The Pokémon noticed the Hero trying to stand up, his knees weak after most of his strength was drained from his Kamikaze spell.

"We owe you a debt of gratitude, Ireburn," Snake said. "It's a good thing DK was able to free the Incineroar in time…"

"Did it look like any of us had a choice…?" the Luminary asked, Incineroar helping keep up his posture. Once the fighters were ready to go, Mario looked around the dystopian city and saw all the damage the Omega Flowey did. Skyscrapers were shattered, vehicles blew up into rubble, the corpses were incinerated into ashes. This place was more destructive than it once was. From the gently-falling snowflakes, the red plumber noticed tree roots stemming out, each one of them connecting into a bridge attached to who appeared as the Great Deku Tree. The guardian of the Kokiri was long deceased, and his mouth was gaping open with a blue portal at the back of his wooden throat.

"Well, we've got Incineroar back," Mario told his teammates. "Hopefully he knows what begin this gateway to another world…" The Smashers continued down their path down southwest, and only Kirby stayed behind to hear the wheezing of Flowey the Flower, who was back to normal. His yellow petals were drooping in his face, some snapping off naturally from the cold wind of the World of Darkness. His face was scarred and broken. Flowey, now known as Asriel, was beginning to wilt.

"You… you beat me…" Flowey weakly panted. "I was pretty much the strongest, and the wits of your friends outsmarted me. Now it would be best… if you ended my life right here and now…" Kirby looked down at the dying flower, his demon teeth showing through his pain-filled smile.

"C'mon… I wanted to kill you before…" Flowey sighed, unable to smile anymore. "I wanted to prevent fate from happening, and I could not see the possibilities you can come up with… All you have to do is kill me… Do whatever you want: step on me, flatten me with a rock, cut off my stem – just make it quick and painless…" Kirby watched the demonic flower trying to sacrifice himself, wincing the more he moved.

"If you spare me… I'll come back…" Flowey snarled, looking up at the pink alien boy. "I will murder you in your sleep and I will torture your closest friends until they give up their lives… I. WILL. END. YOU." Kirby began to feel remorse and guilt for the flower. On the outside, he was a murderous monster, but what he truly saw was a scared child wanting to be loved. The flower saw nothing but pain – pain both from himself and others. He tried to be friendly, but all he could do was growl and snap. The pink puffball wanted to give Flowey a feeling of sweet release, but suicide was definitely not the answer. Instead, Kirby picked up the doll he carried along and gave it to the dying monster flower.

"Wh… What's this?" Flowey asked before Kirby hugged him gently. The demon flower then started getting mixed emotions… of love and confusion. There was something off-putting from that encounter that he just could not find the words to describe. As soon as Kirby let go of Flowey, he pushed the doll towards the flower and ran back to his friends.

"Hey!" Flowey yelled. "Why won't you do like I asked you!? Why did you spare me!? I can't understand… I can't… understand!... I just can't… understand…" The demonic flower began to weep, his tears freezing into icy droplets in the cold. He started to cry into the doll's fabric dress, his heart beating slowly. Instead of wilting and dying like most other flowers, Flowey slowly turned into a regular, golden daffodil, healthy and alive. The daffodil's petals were kept safe from the frost, and Flowey's sobs echoed throughout the wasteland he had created from the apocalyptic metropolis.

Chapter 63: The Altered Hedgehog

Summary:

When the fighters arrive in a replica of Hyrule, the Sonic Primary tries to stop them. However, once Sonic has been rescued, they realize Dharkon's effects did a lot more to the poor hedgehog then expected...

Chapter Text

Incineroar kept a steady balance on the giant roots, watching the violet crystals lead the way to the Great Deku Tree with their lights. The fighters all stopped at the base of the deceased tree, taking a good look at the blue portal in the guardian's mouth.

"Whatever's beyond this portal, we're ready," Mega Man told the team. PAC-MAN gave a thumbs up as a response, and Villager happily nodded.

"Let's do this," Red said, making sure his Pokémon were in his bag. "Lead the way, Incineroar."

"…Roar," Incineroar responded, walking through the portal to the sub-area. Link, Toon Link, and Sheik followed through, with Joker, Snake, the Luminary, Clementine, and all the other fighters in the team heading straight through the portal inside the Great Deku Tree. Once they crossed to the other side, they opened their eyes to a strange new world.

What they saw was the Sacred Land of Hyrule, the sky a bright gray. Trees covered the landscape, with several stone bridges connecting to the center. From what they could tell, the Smashers were in the center of a big area shaped like a Triforce, with the Lost Woods at the bottom-right, the Kakariko Village at the bottom-left, and the Gerudo Valley at the top.

"Wow," Link sighed, his gasp filled with wonder. "The air and grass feel like Hyrule, even though it's just a carbon copy…"

"I gotta hand it to Dharkon: this guy knows how to perfect a world," Snake noted, admiring the place. All of a sudden, Fox McCloud began hearing beeping. He turned around towards the sound and looked at his chest, noticing a red reticle right at the center.

"Uh, guys?" Fox asked, noticing a Guardian aiming at him just beyond a hill. The fighters turned around and saw what appeared to be several more Guardians moving on their feet, some aiming for the fighters even if they were immobilized in the ground. Walking out from the team of Guardians was the Sonic Primary himself, sporting the purple eyes and red aura of the Dharkon Lock.

"Sonic!" Mario called out, keeping an eye out on the Guardians so as they did not open fire on him and his friends instantly. "Are we-a glad to see you again!"

"Sonic?" the Sonic Primary asked through a different voice and tone. "Do you mean the Iblis Trigger?"

"Iblis Trigger…?" Fox asked, placing his hand underneath his chin.

"That's right," the Sonic Primary responded. "The name's Silver. Silver the Hedgehog. I take it you haven't stayed around in Hyrule 2.0 for a while, haven't you? Allow me to give you a tour. You can obviously see what appear to be Guardians: stone warriors carved from the Sheikah. Let me give you a little taste in what they can do…" With a simple hand gesture, the Guardians started firing their lasers. Link, Toon Link, and Ireburn quickly surrounded their friends and pulled up their shields, reflecting the lasers back at the Guardians and killing them through their own explosions.

"Let's get outta here…!" Eleven exclaimed, pushing his companions farther from the incoming Guardian troops. Just as one Guardian was ready to follow them, the Sonic Primary stopped the ancient robot with the psychokinesis ability of Silver the Hedgehog.

"You morons won't even fit through the Temple of the Master Sword," the Sonic Primary explained, his red sneakers digging into the grassy dirt. "I must do this… for Dharkon…" Without another word, the captured fighter dashed after Group A, knowing where they were heading off to next.

The fighters got deeper into the center of the sub-area into a large temple the size of a battlefield, high enough to look at the three landscapes that were shaped like triangles. Not only were they vastly apart, they were also huge; Link pressed his hand against the cobblestone, noticing something familiar about this place. He looked down below of the temple they were in, admiring the language of the ancient texts carved into the rock. There was also a path spiraling upward, leading to a pedestal of the Master Sword itself. This particular weapon was completely different from the one the Champion of Hyrule had, even if they looked similar.

"Does anybody know what this Master Sword's doing here?" Simon asked. The other Smashers looked up the pathway and recognized the weapon.

"Well, that's pretty easy," Snake answered. "Normally, Link and his versions from alternate timelines would have to go through trials just to get that legendary weapon, but here all we have to do is walk up to it…"

"Link!" Joker exclaimed. "Your hand!" On Link's right hand, he noticed the lower-left triangle of his Triforce mark started glowing, only showing one third of the whole thing. Toon Link's left hand started glowing with the same mark, but the equal fraction of the Triforce of Courage was in a different placement. Sheik's right hand started flashing with half of the Triforce of Wisdom. The Smashers looked down on the ground and suddenly noticed the temple floor was a placeholder. The two Links saw their pieces of the Triforce of Courage combine together into two thirds of its original form, with Sheik's piece of the Triforce shining on the floor as well.

"Just as I suspected," Shulk explained. "The Triforces of Wisdom and Courage need to be made whole, and the Triforce of Power must be put back into its rightful place."

"So what we're guessing is that Young Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are somewhere around here and we need to find them in order to complete the Triforce in this sub-area?" Mario asked.

"Guess by then, we can complete the sub-area and open a gateway closer to Dharkon," the Wii Fit Trainer replied.

"Then let's grab that Master Sword and get out of here," Fox responded, already running towards the sword in the pedestal. Just when things started to calm down, something grabbed the Star Fox mercenary and pulled him upward. The fighters quickly noticed the green telekinesis ability wrapping around Fox, with the younger Smashers dancing around in panic. The Sonic Primary appeared in front of them, levitating with his own powers.

"Figured I find you guys here," the Sonic Primary spoke, almost choking Fox McCloud with his telekinesis. "Excuse me if I'm being too rough with your friend over here…" The Sonic Primary then let go of Fox and dropped him onto the stone ground.

"Get him!" Joker yelled, firing his gun at the captured fighter. Mr. Game & Watch and the Inkling threw their versions of bombs at the captured fighter, but the Sonic Primary simply caught them with his powers and threw them back at the two Smashers. The Sonic Primary then landed on the ground and dashed towards Incineroar, jabbing at the Pokémon rapidly. Try as he may, the Incineroar was too slow and predictable to even avoid the Primary's superfast jabs and kicks. Before Incineroar could even use Revenge to multiply the damage and knockback for his neck attack, the captured fighter grabbed ahold of the Pokémon, lifted him up, and threw Incineroar at the other fighters.

"He's too quick!" Snake yelled, firing his missiles and throwing his grenades against the possessed blue speedster. The Sonic Primary quickly grabbed ahold of the mercenary and tossed him right at Joker, who quickly pulled off his mask to unleash Arsene by his side. Not even the Phantom Thief combined with his main Persona could pull this off as he succumbed to the Sonic Primary's powerful spindashes, which generated blue streaks of electricity as he moved around. Kirby tried swinging his flaming mallet at the moving speed demon, but all the pink puffball did was swing and miss. Link and Toon Link both tried to run up to the Master Sword, but they were stopped by some sort of invisible gateway that did not reveal itself until they ran into it.

"Somebody's going to have to go and snap our buddy out of Dharkon's control!" Captain Falcon told his friends, trying to block Sonic's speedy attacks with his lightning-quick reflexes. Mario jumped on top of the captured fighter, throwing the Sonic Primary onto his feet and grabbing the hedgehog's hands while pushing.

"Sonic-a!" Mario called out. "If you're in there, you need to fight back!" The Sonic Primary did not listen as usual and flew out of the red plumber's grasp. The captured fighter then levitated in the air, squeezing his fist and choking Mario with his telekinesis. Fox McCloud flashed blue between the possessed hedgehog's body and landed next to Mario, pointing his blaster at the captured fighter's head. The Sonic Primary threw Mario onto the ground and let the red plumber go, charging up some sort of special ability as the Smashers pounced at him. The captured fighter pushed all of the Group A teammates with his telekinesis and created some sort of forcefield around himself, trapping Fox in.

The fighters banged their fists on the barrier, crying for Fox to be safe. The Star Fox mercenary turned around to see the Sonic Primary approaching him, the captured fighter twisting his own neck and cracking the bones. The green telekinesis ability of his surrounded the Sonic Primary, still overshadowed by his red aura of the Dharkon Lock.

"I suppose you don't want to take this lightly," Fox responded, his own body heating up with literal flames. The Star Fox mercenary dashed towards the captured fighter and attempted to burn his opponent, but he could only watch as the Sonic Primary simply jumped above and kick him from behind. Fox quickly rolled into his knees and grabbed the hedgehog's legs, throwing the captured fighter into the ground. The two anthropomorphic fighters began kicking and punching each other, their jabs connecting time and time again. Fox then started tackling the Sonic Primary, pinning the captured fighter to the ground and punching him in the face. The Sonic Primary kicked Fox off, his arms glowing with the telekinesis powers of his.

The Sonic Primary started lifting up rocks both big and small and began throwing them at Fox. The anthropomorphic mercenary dashed towards the captured fighter, kicking the smaller rocks until they crumbled into dust and using his blue flash trick to dodge the larger boulders with the remnants hitting the sides of the barrier. Once Fox got in the right position, he coated himself in flames and flew right at the Sonic Primary, tossing the captured fighter into the stone floor. The blue hedgehog groaned in pain, looking up to see Fox land right in front of him.

The possessed Smasher jumped up high and landed with a deep thud, spindashing right into McCloud. The Star Fox mercenary felt the electricity of the rolling blue hedgehog spiral through his fingertips as he just dodged the attack, amazed by the captured fighter's destructive nature. The Sonic Primary then stopped and started attacking Fox with more kicking. Fox started blocking these kinds of attacks with powerful jabs, pulling out his reflector and stunning the captured fighter. Fox then zipped behind the blue hedgehog with his blue flash ability, ready to fire his blaster at the back of the captured fighter's head. However, the Sonic Primary sensed what was going to happen and quickly grabbed Fox by the neck with his telekinesis, forcing him to drop the blaster so the captured fighter could reach for it.

"No… you… don't!" Fox groaned, gasping for breath and struggling as the Sonic Primary reached down for his weapon. The Star Fox mercenary quickly wrapped his legs around the captured fighter's neck, squeezing the Primary tightly with his femurs. This managed to stop the Sonic Primary from choking the Star Fox leader. Fox quickly held on tightly to the Sonic Primary, pushing both the captured fighter and himself to the ground. As the two anthropomorphic fighters both struggled to reach for the weapon, Fox managed to head-butt the Sonic Primary and grab his blaster in time. The Star Fox mercenary then kicked the Sonic Primary in the stomach and fire a clean shot at the captured fighter's head. As the possessed body of Sonic the Hedgehog succumbed to the laser fire from the sweating, panting anthropomorphic fox, the telekinesis barrier dropped, and the fighters ran towards Fox in worry of his safety.


Somewhere, in an unknown area, there was a limp hand that looked familiar to Sonic's. It was held up in black, spiky chains, though the place was so black no one can figure out who it was. The arm started glowing in flashing colors of golden and violet, and the rest of the body was creating a silhouette of Sonic. The rainbow aura of his Fighter Spirit overwhelmed the silhouette, with the blackened chains dissolving. The silhouette escaped, flying faster than the speed of light in the blink of an eye. It is currently unknown what Sonic's Fighter Spirit was doing here, but somehow his freedom of his body released him from his shackles.


The fighters back at the large temple waited for the dust to clear, hoping they can find Sonic in time. Kirby then noticed the Silver the Hedgehog Spirit and the shattered fragments of the Dharkon Lock emerge from the rubble. Just then, the peculiar-looking Spirit entered the temple and fused himself back to Sonic's body, flashing rainbow colors for the other Smashers to see. As the fighters were blinded by the light enveloping literally the entire land of Hyrule, Kirby felt the red mist and Silver Spirit enter his body. The pink puffball's eyes started glowing red again, and he stiffened as he was taken to yet another vision.


Kirby tried adjusting his vision and seeing a mountain right in front of him. To be fair, the world of Arcus' was literally a starless night, so it was not the easiest thing to do. Thankfully, two torches on both sides of the cave ignited their flames, letting the other dragons that escaped from Dharkon to enter the cave just at the foot. While the surviving civilians of Arcus entered the cave, Ultima arrived in time. She was followed by Galeem who was carrying his brother's egg, and his wife Medley who walked on foot with Sozo while she kept her egg in her pouch.

"Well, here we are," Ultima told her brother and close companions. "We've found the Cave of the Ancients, birthplace of our ancestors and Lord Ceresor's first descendant. This will surely be the perfect spot to hide from Phoenix and his Crazy Hand army… I hope…" The four dragons entered inside the cave, watching the torches douse out as the last remaining dragons entered the shelter. The Dragosmos that escaped sat up on their back legs, lifting up the earth to block the cave entrance and cover it with vegetation for camouflage. An elderly female Eastern dragon noticed Galeem struggling with carrying the egg of Inkereign, and gave him a holding pouch out of generosity.

"If you want to keep your children safe, take them to the nursery here," the old serpent spoke.

"I'll take Glimmeress and Inkereign there," Ultima responded, helping Galeem slip his brother's egg into the pouch. The Queen of Arcus then pulled the other pouch with Glimmeress off the egg's mother and slipped it onto herself.

"Sozo. Galeem. Keep a good watch over the survivors. Attend to their wounds if you have to," Ultima told them as she headed to the nursery, with a golem-shaped dragon pointing her the way. The Queen of Arcus then entered the part of the Cave of the Ancients where she heard younger dragons crying. Few of them had their mother, father, or very rarely both to comfort them since most of these dragonlings were orphaned by the massacre caused by Dharkon.

As Ultima looked around, taking care not to step on any of the children, she managed to find an empty nest to place the unhatched eggs in. All of the other nests were packed with several wounded dragonlings, many even traumatized from the events. Ultima carefully placed the eggs of Glimmeress and Inkereign into the nest, grabbing the pouches with her bag and sliding them off. She leaned close to the two eggs and warmed them with her breath, trying to incubate them as she could feel their healthy heartbeats.

"You're… stepping in our nest," a young voice spoke behind Ultima. The spectrum-winged dragoness turned around to see two dragons both the size of her front leg, battered and bruised. The child that spoke was a female, pink dragon, her horns and tail shaped like heart tips, her scales shaped like flower petals, and the patterns on her wings reminiscent of butterflies. By her side was a male dragon younger than her, gnawing on a woolen sock puppet as though he was teething, even though his teeth already came in. His plastic eyes were rather peculiar, wobbling around as though he could not see straight. His dirty claws were constantly digging through the ground, kicking up dust all over his paws. His scales and wings all had the texture of wool, with his entire body colored a deep teal and his horns and wings a vibrant blue.

"Come again?" Ultima asked, noticing the two children wounded from the attack.

"You're… stepping in our nest," the pink dragon child repeated, her right front claws fondling the dirt.

"I'm sorry, but these two eggs need it more than you do," Ultima responded, trying not to make herself feel bad.

"We lost our mommy and daddy," the pink dragon slurred, her wing stroking the back of her mentally retarded brother. "We lost our… mommy and daddy…"

"I lost my mommy and daddy too," Ultima responded, feeling sorry for these poor kids. "My name is Ultima, the Queen of Arcus… or what remains of Arcus anyway…"

"I… I… My name is Josei, and this is my brother Ningyo," the pink dragon stuttered. "I have atypical autism, and Ningyo is suffering from a mental birth defect. The other dragons bully us at school for our disabilities…" Ultima sat down in front of the two dragons, feeling rather sorry for these two children.

"The bad guys… smashed all of the eggs," Josei wept. "They… got our baby brother and sister… Mommy and Daddy told us to leave and we escaped. We… We miss them." The pink dragon child wept into Ultima's chest, with Ningyo unable to feel emotions although he can understand them, stopping with gnawing on his sock puppet.

"We can end this… together," Ultima responded, patting Josei's back. "Your differences make you unique. No one can take that away from you, and they cannot even force change upon those who embrace it. If you like, you can show these kids that you're better by taking care of these eggs here… Can you do that?" Josei backed away from the Queen of Arcus and helped pull Ningyo's hand away from his face just as he was about to bite himself with the sock puppet.

"We'll do it," Josei answered, keeping her wings exposed. "We'll do it for Arcus and for our family."

"That's the spirit," Ultima cheered, smiling. As Kirby continued to listen to the cries of the other dragonlings, the environment started dissolving into black, and Kirby was transported back into the Sacred Land of Hyrule.


"Don't ever go black on me!" Pit cried, hugging the waking pink puffball tightly. Kirby squirmed out of the angel's arms, looking at the rubble surrounding the temple. Joker and Ireburn walked up next to the alien, comforting him.

"Terrible, we know," the Phantom Thief sighed. Kirby then noticed a glowing body found in the debris right where the Sonic Primary was defeated.

"Well this is new," Fox McCloud noted, walking towards the illuminating hedgehog. The fighters gathered around the friend that they had rescued, watching as Sonic's body flashed in a rainbow of colors, his aura spreading throughout Hyrule. Who the Smashers shielded their eyes from the intense light, Kirby noticed fire within the red, rocks within the orange, lightning within the yellow, leaves within the green, air gusts within the blue, water within the indigo, and magical stars within the violet. After the light shone its brightest, the sky reverted back to its dark gray color, and the unconscious body of Sonic slowly floated towards the temple floor. Fox ran up to the blue hedgehog in time, but what he saw surprised him.

On the speedy devil's face were two glowing scars: one of Dharkon's violet on the right side of Sonic's face, and the other of Galeem's golden on his left. Both scars were equally symmetrical, running vertically from the bases of his ears down to the tops of his cheeks. This was never revealed even when they fought against the captured fighter. The Star Fox leader placed his hand on Sonic's chest, feeling the slow heartbeat within.

"What happened to him?" Little Mac asked, concerned about the hedgehog.

"He's broken physically, that's what," Zero Suit Samus responded. "We need to take him to a village. Stat." Mario, worried about his closest friend's safety after ten years of being isolated from Sonic, looked down to the bottom-left of the temple, spotting Kakariko Village next to the somehow-extinct volcano of Goron Mountain.

"We can take him down there," Mario answered, looking back at his companions. "Follow me." The red plumber walked down the narrow path to the village. Fox carried Sonic's unconscious body for the rest of the trip, with the rest of their teammates traveling in a single-file line.

Once the fighters arrived in the village, they found it to be inhabited by Normal Novice Spirits of Koroks. There were a few human and Hylian Spirits around, although some of them were of the Advanced class, Normal or Master. One Korok, Hestu, was glad enough to take the fighters into his own little house and attend to Sonic's wounds from the intense battle and aftermath.

While the other Smashers waited in Hestu's living room, Fox McCloud sat on an empty bed and hesitantly watched the big Korok wet Sonic's head with a damp towel. Unlike the other fighters, including Mario, Fox felt something special about the blue hedgehog, something that not even the red plumber could reach to. It was almost as though Fox was forced to become a guardian to Sonic in the darkest of times… a parent, even. As the towel Hestu was using was starting to cool down, Sonic the Hedgehog opened his eyes for the first time in twenty years. His eyes searched throughout the strange room he woke up in, and he looked around to see two strange figures around him.

"I am so glad you're safe," Fox sighed, approaching the blue hedgehog. "We all were…" However, just as the Star Fox leader was about to touch Sonic's hand, the scarred speedster quickly acted. The blue devil kicked Fox right in the stomach, not out of anger but out of fear. As the Star Fox mercenary tried to keep his balance by grabbing onto a small table, he saw something unusual happen to the teenage pal he once knew.

The blue hedgehog's fists started glowing red with fire, generating powerful pyro blasts from his fingers. As he was doing that, the blue hedgehog's own body was glitching like crazy. Unaware of what was happening to him, Sonic generated a peculiar kind of electricity around his body and zapped himself out of the room faster than the speed of light.

The other Smashers were shocked once they heard the door to the bedroom shatter from a large gust of wind, splinters flying everywhere. Sonic instantly stopped in place, afraid of where he was and what kind of powers he had.

"Sonic!" the Wii Fit Trainer said with a cheerful heart. "You're finally speeding around the hou-" Sonic suddenly created a powerful magic blast that destroyed the entire house out of his insecurities, trying to run away from where he woke up in. As Fox climbed out of the rubble, he caught Sonic speeding lightning-fast to the center of the town only to clench his chest in pain from the severe glitch that stunned his body. The Star Fox mercenary saw this as a chance to run up to the blue hedgehog and pin him to the ground.

"G-G-G-Get away from me!" Sonic snarled, glitching himself out of Fox's grasp as he tried to crawl away.

"Sonic, don't you recognize us?" Fox asked, worried about the hedgehog's safety.

"…Who's Sonic?" the speedster asked, his hands glitching mildly. Fox became shocked as soon as he heard those words. While Sonic was sitting down, his legs spread out, the Star Fox mercenary now saw those mismatched irises of the blue speedster instead of the emerald-green eyes he once had. For the right side, he had a violet eye, but his left eye had a golden eyes, with both of them matching the colors of the scars on each side of the hedgehog's face. Fox started to get a feeling of worry, a feeling of guilt. Now that Sonic was asking who was his own name, those feelings clicked.

The rest of Group A met up with Fox in time. As soon as they arrived, the anthropomorphic star pilot got down onto his knees, his eyes starting to feel wetter.

"He doesn't remember his own name," Fox whispered, shaking his own head.

"That's ridiculous-a!" Mario objected, turning towards the glitching blue hedgehog. "You at least remember us, right?" Sonic simply stared at them, looking utterly confused.

"…Who are you people?" Sonic asked, his right-violet and left-golden eyes gazing upon the companions he no longer recognized.

"Sonic… it's us," Mega Man convinced, holding out his metallic hand. Kirby was filled up with sadness and pain for what happened to Sonic. As soon as the blue hedgehog asked his own questions, the fighters recognized what their friend has changed into. A glitching, blue-spine warrior with eyes each the exact same color as his scars with the literal abilities of a Dragosmo now remains of what once was the cocky teenage hedgehog that rolled around at the speed of sound. To make matters even worse, Sonic has now forgotten all of his friends, what happened before and after the encounter with Galeem, and any remembrance of his past, even his own name.

"Oh… geez," Mario responded. "None of us wanted this to happen…" As soon as the red plumber slowly approached the Sonic, the blue hedgehog glitched out of control.

"No! St-St-St-St-St-Stay away from me!" Sonic exclaimed, trying to back off with the glitch infecting his body, holding him down to the point that he cannot get away. Instead, all he could do was generate pebbles from his hands out of thin air and try to pelt the friends he no longer recognized with those tiny stones. Shortly after, once the blue hedgehog infected with amnesia stood on his feet, he created gigantic icicles around himself out of nowhere and threw them at the fighters who rescued him. However, the glitch infecting his body combined with the overuse of his powers caused Sonic to waste all his energy and fall like a ragdoll to the ground, converting all the icicles he threw into water that splashed upon the fighters in the process.

As time had passed, Group A had just managed to find another house from the permission of another Korok Spirit, where Sonic the Hedgehog was placed in a bed.

"This is terrible," Fox told Mario and the gang. "Our old buddy Sonic can't remember us anymore. This doesn't happen to any of us…"

"Well, he was responsible for sending Kirby back in time. You could cut him some slack…" Mario answered.

"Not funny, dumbass," Zero Suit Samus responded, her arms folded across her chest. The Incineroar started grunting in his own language, with Mega Man providing the translation due to his robotic abilities.

"Incineroar's saying that when Dharkon took over, he managed to capture the Fighter Spirits of the remaining Primaries, and they all escaped except for Sonic," Mega Man translated. "Somehow, Dharkon must know a way to interact with Spirits, even…"

"Change and alter their chemistry both physically and mentally?" Fox finished in the form of a question.

"Exactly," Mega Man replied. "Somehow, that glitch is torturing the poor hedgehog, and we need to get him out of it."

"Maybe we can find answers of how and why this happened, and still is happening, if we head to the Lost Woods," Link remarked. "My Sheikah Slate can't even make sense of what happened to Sonic, and it's going to be hard to kickstart Sonic's memory. It took him ten years for the blue speedster to help us remember who were are. And we will do the same to him, even if it takes another ten."

"…Then it's settled," Mario spoke. "We head to the Lost Woods for clues to bring back Sonic. Until then, he's staying here in Kakariko Village. For the time being, he's considered too dangerous for the unusual powers he's carrying, and surely any enemy can find use of him if he travels with us…"

"I'll stay with him," Fox told the team. "Your job is to complete the Triforce at the Temple of the Master Sword. My job is to protect Sonic at all costs." Mario patted the Star Fox mercenary's shoulder, his head bowing down.

"I know you'll prove to be a better friend than I was," Mario said, watching the Pokémon Trainer, the Inkling, the Ice Climbers, Villager, Sheik, Mr. Game & Watch, PAC-MAN, and all their friends walk out of the house, ready to head to the Lost Woods. "Do your best to bring our dear buddy Sonic…"

"Mario!" Popo called out. "We're waiting!" The red plumber adjusted his cap, journeying out the door. Fox McCloud looked back at Sonic, who was resting in bed while being attended by a Korok Spirit. The anthropomorphic mercenary walked up to the sleeping hedgehog, the back of his hand rubbing the left side of Sonic's face as it glitched again.

"What ever happened to you?" Fox whispered. "…What ever happened to you?"


While the fighters took the stone path from the temple to the Lost Woods, Mario looked back on the Kakariko Village. His heart began beating faster in the pain of reverence, unable to accept the fact that his own friendly rival had forgotten everything… even how he became that way in the first place.

Chapter 64: The Bear and his Bird

Summary:

As Fox tries to comfort Sonic when the blue hedgehog cannot remember his past, the two anthropomorphic fighters work together to solve a clock riddle alongside a familiar duo.

Chapter Text

In the darkness of the Dharkon Void, the arm that was chained up before was connected to Sonic the Hedgehog… or his Fighter Spirit anyway. The transparent blue speedster with the rainbow aura groaned as he shook his head, feeling that he cannot move. He was confined in an "X" position, with his arms and legs held in place by black chains tightly wrapped around his wrists and ankles. He wasn't sporting the violet scar on his right eye, meaning it still had the emerald green as always. However, the scar covering the left side of his eye changes the iris color of the left eye entirely, turning it into the golden light of Galeem.

"Finally," Dharkon's voice spoke, echoing throughout the darkness. "How nice of you to finally wake up…" The deep booming noise emerged when Dharkon opened his eyes, his tentacles slithering around the chained-up Spirit of the hedgehog.

"Dharkon!" Sonic groaned, struggling to break free. "You're the one responsible for Galeem's capture!"

"That lifeless husk of a Lord of Light? Please…" Dharkon responded. "I had been waiting in my prison for five years and have now escaped from it, bringing my world along with me…" Sonic's real body appeared next to the Seraph of Chaos in the form of Dharkon's Primary. As Sonic noticed his own body moving freely, he saw Silver the Hedgehog was the Spirit possessing his body.

"Thank goodness, Silver," Sonic sighed with relief. "You're here to save me. Quick. Use your telekinesis to remove these-"

"I'm sorry, Sonic," Silver answered. "We have no choice but to submit ourselves…"

"That is my answer," Dharkon responded, looking at the Sonic Primary. "Head to the Sacred Land. Prevent any intruders from breaking in."

"Yes, O Master of Darkness," the Sonic Primary responded, walking into the shadows and leaving Dharkon with Sonic's Fighter Spirit.

"You are rather unique from your friends," Dharkon noted, looming in closer at the confined hedgehog. "You were not kidding when you told the pink alien child to reawaken the Ragnarokk and save everyone, including yourself, through a made-up prophecy."

"There was nowhere to go," Sonic responded. "I would have rather died than sacrifice Kirby for my own memories…"

"Oh, yes. Your memories. I see how you managed to survive all these years," Dharkon sinisterly growled. The Lord of Darkness then noticed the scar on Sonic's left eye, inheriting the blue hedgehog a golden iris behind that scar.

"I see that my brother has left his mark on you," Dharkon chuckled, his shadowy black hand reaching out from the Lord of Darkness's eye. "Let us fix that…" Sonic gasped in pain as Dharkon traced another scratch on his face, this time on the right eye. The blue hedgehog gritted his teeth as he felt his swollen eye bleed with a glowing violet. He wanted to clasp his hands over his face and stop the intense suffering, but he was chained up nonetheless. The bleeding quickly stopped, and Sonic opened up his right eye. What remained of his emerald green orbs now remains the violet of Dharkon's raw power. All that Sonic had in his eyes were mismatching colors of darkness and light, side by side.

"Perfectly symmetrical," Dharkon growled, his black humanoid structure reaching out from his blue eye. The Seraph of Chaos placed his hand underneath the hedgehog's chin, looking at the new face of Sonic.

"I suppose I would kill you now, but where would that leave me without the ultimate lifeform? A perfect super soldier? My greatest creation?" Dharkon gazed at the captured hedgehog, his tendrils grinding in a strange friction against each other.

"If you really want be set free, accept that I am your lord, and kill those who dare stand a threat to us…" Dharkon told Sonic. The Fighter Spirit simply spat in the Seraph of Chaos's eye, refusing to take orders from a monster like Dharkon. The Lord of Darkness backed away from the confined speedster, blinking rapidly as to get the saliva out of him. Once things seemed to calm down for him, Dharkon levitated towards the poor hedgehog.

"Cocky and stubborn as usual, always running headfirst into conflict," Dharkon laughed inwardly. "Suppose you can save yourself from the experiment."

"Experiment…?" Sonic asked. Whatever the Lord of Darkness was going to do to the blue hedgehog, none of those words sounded good. Arriving behind Dharkon were the Mewtwo, Incineroar, and Ganondorf Primaries, each one of them carrying strange vessels. The Mewtwo Primary was carrying a capsule with glitching particles, the Incineroar Primary carefully held a bowl of a mercury, and the Ganondorf Primary held the most important ingredient of all: the bones of the first Arcusian dragon ground up into powder.

"According to legend, the skeleton of a dragon born in Arcus unlocks all the hidden potential to become a Dragosmo, the highest form of a mortal closest to the Almighty Father in their tongue," Dharkon explained while the three Primaries opened the capsules and poured the ground-up bone powder and the glitch with the mercury. "With seven Rainbolements, they can harness the abilities of fire, earth, thunder, life, air, water, and magic all at the same time. Before they had discovered stones that gave them these elementals, they feasted on the bones of their ancestors, believing them to be sources of this kind of power. However, they would not devour the first of their entire species for fear of becoming too greedy in its destructive and violent nature. They feared that whoever controls one who feasts on the bones controls the universe and many other universes out there. Now… I see you as the one to control…"

"Wait-wait-wait!" Sonic objected, trying to break free from his black chains. "I'm the fastest thing alive! You can't do this to me! I'm not ready to be your soulless servant!" Shifting the mixture in the pan of mercury, the Incineroar Primary offered it to Dharkon, who grabbed the metal pan with his tentacles. Carefully applying one quarter of the entire batch to each of the tips, Sonic's transformed eyes widened in fear as he looks at the shinier mixture.

"Oh no, it's the Metal Virus!" Sonic gasped, feeling signs of trauma from a familiar sort of liquid. "I had to deal with an epidemic of Zombots on my home planet before a cure had been found! You're not gonna change me again!"

"It is not the virus you feared before," Dharkon responded in his usually calm voice. "It is something… much, much worse…"

"It's not gonna work on me this time, Dharkon!" Sonic snarled, growling underneath his breath and biting at the Lord of Darkness. "You won't change me!" The four coated tentacles shot deep into the hedgehog's wrists and ankles, injecting him with the mercury mixture.

"The ground bones to inherit the most destructive nature of the Rainbolements, the glitch to boost you to your strongest form, and the mercury to help spread both of these key ingredients throughout your body quite easily," Dharkon responded. Shots of pain began spiraling out from the hedgehog's limbs to the rest of his body, changing him in ways you cannot imagine. Sonic wailed from the intense torture from the mixture mixed within his flesh, with his clothed hands and feet stained in blood from where Dharkon injected the poison. This was rather strange since Spirits are not intended to bleed. Regardless, the mercury, glitch, and bone powder started to mess with Sonic's mind.

Sonic tried to escape from the brutal infliction the poison was doing to him, attempting to claw his way out of the black chains. He began to cry and scream from the fate of nightmares that will traumatize him for life. He jerked his head back and forth while Dharkon and his only few Primaries simply watched. The pupils on the blue hedgehog's eyes shrunk as he was feeling the tormenting horror of being transformed into a monster course through his popping veins. Sonic's screams were drowned out by the coughing of blood, a few streams flowing down his stomach and dripping all the way down the bottomless abyss below him.

"You can run multiple times faster than the strongest ships built by man, and yet you cannot escape fate," Zavok's voice spoke from the Incineroar Primary. Sonic's Fighter Spirit was seeing things the more the mercury mixture spiraled into his brain, with the glitch reaching out to the hedgehog's skin and warping it in its twisted power. From what he saw, the Incineroar Primary twisted his body until he became the splitting image of the buff, red Zeti.

"A thousand times worse than what you went through on the Death Egg Prison, isn't it?" Infinite's voice echoed from the Mewtwo Primary, who slowly transformed into the masked jackal. Sonic slowly moved his eyes to the captured fighter, his wrists and ankles still stained with the tainted blood. He nailed his jawbone to his upper teeth, trying to hold in his cries for help. As the glitch was slithering around his hands and feet, blinking in and out of existence, the blue hedgehog began to cough up more blood, his heart beating faster and pumping up more blood to his brain and making him feel as though he was going to spontaneously combust. He was breathing rapidly as he could only look at the Ganondorf Primary, whose body simply dropped to the ground. Unlike the other two hallucinations, the Mephiles Spirit emerging from the Gerudo King's body was real.

"You cannot hold it back, can you?" Mephiles asked, his crystalline face close to the suffering hedgehog Spirit. "What Dharkon can do is beyond anything you can imagine. Go ahead and release all your agony. Cry for salvation. Because there is none here. All your friends have abandoned you. There is no light within the darkness. Nothing but despair remains, and you are going to suffer like the poor souls that did on this ancient planet!" Sonic roared in pain, his cries of anguish and defeat bubbling higher to the surface of blood pooling in his mouth until his throat got sore. His scars began to glow brighter as a new kind of warmth was overtaking him. His blue quills straightened upright when one last pulse of mercury blasted through his internal organs, weakening the poor hedgehog to the point that he can no longer control keeping his eyelids open for much longer.

"…Dharkon… when I break free from my prison, I swear I will get you for this!" Sonic growled, his body starting to glitch more like crazy as the poison flowed through his arteries.

"Do not even bother," Dharkon chuckled, floating away from the confined blue hedgehog. "Five years from now, the transformation will be complete, and you will be hanging there until then. Within a fortnight, the glitch will remove whatever love and compassion you shared with the Super Smash Brothers during these years. For the time being, enjoy what little you have left, for you will be forced to rot here until you forget everything… even your own name…" As the poison melded itself into Sonic's mind, the blue hedgehog started to see nothing but multiple colors of the Rainbolements, frightened by the glitch overlapping his memory. With one more flash of the mercury mixture buzzing through his skull, Sonic the Hedgehog quickly woke up, gasping as he tossed off bedsheets.

The blue speedster was panting like crazy, sweat dripping off every pore from his furry body. His heart was pounding in his chest, his breathing hard and fast. He placed his left hand on his face, rubbing it across his face. He knew what he saw in that nightmare. The torture, the pain, the agony, the bloody screams from his own lungs, and those eyes. Those violet pairs of eyes accompanied by a larger, blue eye with a golden slit iris. That all never happened… right?

"Trouble sleeping?" Fox asked. Sonic quickly turned his neck towards the Star Fox leader, who was sitting on another bed next to him. Ever since the blue blur had passed out, Fox took it under his responsibility to look after the fighter they had just rescued. Sonic himself, however, did not take that lightly.

"I warned you to stay away from me!" Sonic growled, his gloved hands coated with electricity. He fired charged blasts at the Star Fox leader, but he quickly managed to duck in time just to see Sonic tumble out of the bed. The blue hedgehog then felt the glitch spaz out through his body, stunning him again. Fox McCloud quickly jumped over the bed Sonic was resting in just to see his friend crawl and cower into a corner.

The blue hedgehog curled up into a ball, trembling in fear. He held his hands over his face, streams of tears dripping from his scarred eyes. Sonic hated tears before, and he never wanted to see anyone cry. Sometimes, the blue hedgehog often cried when he wanted to act tough like his mother said so, but now Fox saw the truth. The speedy devil reduced to this state was exposed at his weakest. His hidden emotions that were hidden before finally appeared just from the hedgehog's expressions, and he could not understand why.

"I don't know who I am," Sonic whispered, gasping in his sobs as he glitched again. "I can't remember a thing about myself…" Sonic then looked at the anthropomorphic mercenary, his seven elemental powers flickering between his gloved fingers.

"Your name is Ogilvie Maurice Needlemouse, son of Queen Aleena of Christmas Island on the planet Mobius and brother of Sonia and Manic," Fox McCloud answered. "You were always busy rescuing the planet from the evil scientist Dr. Eggman and his robot armies with the help of your animal friends, calling yourself Sonic the Hedgehog. You may not know me for the time being, but my name is Fox McCloud, leader of Star Fox and defender of the Lylat System." Sonic simply looked away, still crouching in fear. The hedgehog's tears dripped onto the wooden floor, and Fox noticed it very well.

"Please tell me what I saw wasn't real," Sonic whispered, slowly looking back on his peculiar fox friend. For some reason, he was starting to feel comfortable with the mercenary even though they had just met… almost as if he had known this adult before. The speedster slowly uncurled himself and kept his balance, finding it rather difficult to do so as he glitched again.

"I dunno what you went through for Dharkon to give you the Rainbolements and your amnesia, but it sure felt that way," Fox responded. "The rest of our buddies are off at the Lost Woods, trying to complete the Triforce in this sub-area."

"…Lost Woods?" Sonic asked, his triangle ears perking up in curiosity. "Triforce? Where am I?"

"We're in Kakariko Village just at the southwest of the Sacred Land found in Draxia, the World of Darkness," Fox responded. "You were out cold for ten years along with the rest of our friends, dreaming to be rescued. We didn't get the chance to save you in time. But it's alright. We won't make the same mistake again…" The amnesiac hedgehog slowly walked up to the Star Fox mercenary, flinching a bit from the glitch infecting his body. Wiping the tears from his eyes, Sonic sat down next to the older anthropomorphic fighter of the two, trying to make contact.

"What do we do now…?" Sonic asked, trying to decrease the flames on his fingertips. "Simply telling me my past isn't going to click in me. I need to find evidence of what I did years ago. If what you say is true about the nightmare I had, well… I guess we need to go after this Dharkon person right away."

"Atta boy," Fox McCloud cheerfully responded, rubbing the blue hedgehog's head and making it rather frizzy. "We can take a look around the town, see what we can find. Follow me." The mercenary got up from the bed, with the new and improved Sonic following after him. Once the two fighters walked outside of the house, they traveled through the village for a while.

"Fox… Was I someone else before I got these… powers?" Sonic asked, glitching as he turned his head towards the Star Fox mercenary.

"Oh yeah," Fox answered honestly. "You were the best out of all of us. You escaped the clutches of the Hands when we could not… Now I understand why Dharkon thinks you're special, therefore changing you into what you are now." Sonic sighed, touching the scar on the right side of his face and feeling how deep it cut. When Fox looked at the blue hedgehog fondling with his wounds, it reminded the mercenary of Wolf O' Donnell in a way. As things seemed to have calmed down, Sonic noticed an unlit quartz torch right next to him. Then, there was another torch, then another, and another, until he noticed two circles of unlit torches in the center of the town: twelve torches circling the outside and twelve more tightly packed together inside.

"Were those torches always there before?" Sonic asked. Fox noticed the circles of torches too, curious of what they were doing here.

"I have no idea," Fox answered. "I think it would be insane to light them at this point..." As Fox stepped back, he pressed his wrist on an Owl Statue right behind him, triggering some sort of effect.

Light the torches, they tell the time

With the hour of midnight and the minute worth a dime

Fox heard the Owl Statue speak in a riddle and rhyme, confused by what this strange being said. Sonic had no idea either, even if he wasn't diagnosed with amnesia.

"What did that thing say again?" Sonic asked. Fox slowly approached the Owl Statue again, tapping its base. Then, it spoke the riddle again.

Light the torches, they tell the time

With the hour of midnight and the minute worth a dime

"…The hell does that mean!?" Fox asked. "Minute worth a dime? How does this make sense?"

"Well, that petrified bird said to light the torches," Sonic responded. The blue hedgehog decided to test a little something. Using a little control of his powers, the glitching speedster ignited his hands with the Fire Rainbolement, trying to throw a simple fireball into one of the torches. It managed to land, and the torch the fireball landed in ignited in a blue flame. Sonic threw another fireball in a different torch in the same circle and igniting it. The fire in the previous torch went out as a result. While Fox was befuddled by this riddle, he noticed the blue hedgehog throwing fireballs into different torches, with the outer circle in blue flames and the inner circle in red.

"Maybe lighting the torches in different patterns might give us an answer?" Sonic asked, turning towards Fox. "There are 144 ways for me to uncover more about my past and maybe even rescue your- I mean… our friends in the process." Fox liked the little attitude coming back to the glitching hedgehog, and the Star Fox mercenary held out his fist.

"It's a fist bump," Fox told the blue hedgehog. "You do this all the time with us." Sonic slowly raised his curled-up fist, his gloved knuckles touching Fox's. The Star Fox mercenary then ran towards the torches, igniting his body in flames.

Sonic watched as Fox began lighting up the torches, trying to see what the Owl Statue meant by the riddle. Eventually, the Star Fox mercenary felt the ground shaking as soon as he landed, meaning he could have done something to trigger the torches. Emerging from the ground right at Sonic's feet was a small stairway. At the very top, looking down upon the two anthropomorphic fighters, was the Mii Brawler Primary. The captured fighter jumped off the stairway before it vanishes into the ground, doing flips in midair.

"Who is that?" Sonic asked.

"It's a Mii Fighter," Fox explained, pointing his blaster at the Mii Brawler Primary. "There are three classes in which Miis can be divided into: Brawler, Swordfighter, and Gunner. Each class has an Ultimate – a kind of chief – that leads and commands them, and sometimes they can add nicknames like the Wise to identify them from their heritage. Here we've found the Mii Brawler Ultimate Reborn."

"But why are you being so hostile towards him?" Sonic asked, unaware of what was going on as of what happened to him.

"Because he's a Primary," Fox responded. "In this world, Spirits are cast as Normal and Masters and are split into Novice, Advanced, Ace, and Legendary. Normals interact with physical objects at will and Masters are more powerful but require a vessel. The most powerful Spirits are Master Legendries, and they are the only one that can possess a fighter. Through a special Lock, the fighter can be cloned into Supporters."

"Shove it with that excuse of an information dump!" the Mii Brawler Primary growled, lightning generating from the captured fighter's fists. A partisan appeared in the Primary's hands, flashing with electricity.

"Never double-cross with the brave warrior of Zan Partizanne!" the Mii Brawler Primary yelled in a different voice, that which belonged to the Master Legendary Spirit of a Mage Sister that had straightened, yellow hair with square bangs and amber eyes that sparkled with electricity.

"Hey! We were just minding our own business!" Fox growled. "You better choose your next words carefully because I've got a badass-looking space gun here." The Mii Brawler Primary looked over at Sonic the Hedgehog, who was utterly confused by what was going on.

"So you are the glitch that escaped," the captured fighter responded. "Dharkon found it best to neutralize you and take you back to his little void." In Sonic's mind, he began to see the images from his nightmare, scattered throughout different points by the glitch infecting his body. The blue hedgehog cleared his mind, not having enough time to react as the Mii Brawler Primary began to thrust her weapon at him. Fox managed to grab Sonic and leap out of the lightning strike, pointing his blaster aimed straight for the Primary's face.

"What is going on right now!?" Sonic asked, glitching like crazy.

"I have no idea," Fox answered, ready to fire. "Whatever they want, it probably involves you." The Mii Brawler Primary twirled the partisan in his hands, ready to unleash a thundercloud above the two anthropomorphic fighters. Suddenly, just as she was about to release it, something wet and slimy hit her from behind. Because the mucus provided a good circuit for electricity, the captured fighter was stunned. Once the Mii Brawler Primary rubbed the back of her head, he pulled it out to see egg yolk mixed in with the clear whites and blue shell pieces. Before the captured fighter knew what happened next, he was sent flying after a massive impact on his back into Kakariko Village. Both Fox and Sonic noticed the figure that hit the Mii Brawler Primary… or two figures, to be precise.

There was a tall, bipedal bear with blue eyes and a large nose, walking around barefoot with yellow pants held by a black belt. He wore a necklace with a shark's tooth and a blue backpack, one that he put back the second companion with him for he had just swung her by the legs against the Primary's back. Now resting in the blue backpack of the bear was an orange bird with yellow feathers at her wings, sporting a triangular yellow beak and green eyes.

"Thought you two critters could use some help," the bear spoke with a cheerful and confident voice.

"Not really," the bird responded with a cocky but friendly tone, fluffing her feathers. "My friend here heard you two fighting with a Primary and thought it would be a great idea to charge in without a plan-" Before the bird was about to finish, lightning struck from the village, but the bear quickly moved away in time.

"You two could quit arguing and help, y'know," Fox responded, both he and Sonic running towards the Mii Brawler Primary that had emerged from some of the destroyed houses, his weapon fully charged. The bear quickly ran after the captured fighter too, with the bird inside the backpack pulling out her legs, twisting her body until the bear was lying on her back, and speeding off while coughing up the blue eggs.

Fox began glowing blue and launched the Mii Brawler Primary upward, slapping the captured fighter with his bushy tail. The Primary warped himself into the air, sending out small thunderclouds after the blue hedgehog. Sonic gasped as he dashed out of the way, unleashing bursts of water, as he knew liquids will stun the Primary, at the captured fighter. The possessed Mii Fighter dropped his weapon and fell to the ground, dazed out as Fox rapidly kicked the Primary's face. The captured fighter began punching and blocking the Fox's rapid attacks, and he quickly zapped Fox and stunned the mercenary. The bear and the bird caught up in time, and the bird quickly laid an egg-shaped grenade from the bottom of the blue backpack she settled in, exploding in the Mii Brawler Primary's face. As the captured fighter rubbed his glowing-violet eyes, the bear quickly grabbed his bird pal by her legs and slammed her right on the Mii Fighter, knocking out the captured fighter and winning the battle.

The tentacles of the Dharkon Lock had shattered into the red mist with the Zan Partizanne Spirit flying free and the foggy crimson lingering for a while. The red mist swirled around the glitching blue hedgehog, and the Star Fox mercenary and the bear-bird duo could only watch. Sonic's violet and golden eyes gleamed all the colors of the rainbow, and it was as though his memory was returning to him. The speedster started remembering his homeworld, his pals Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Rouge, Shadow, Silver, and all the crazy adventures they went through while mainly fighting against Dr. Eggman's robots and his stereotypical plans to take over the world through his own empire. All of those memories went through his mind, at least bringing who Sonic was back. The red mist then floated away with the Spirit, and Sonic's eyes stopped glowing. Fox ran up to the blue hedgehog, concerned about what the speedy devil saw.

"I know who I am and where I came from," Sonic sighed with relief. "I may not remember you guys yet, but I at least recall the wild journeys I went through to save my home planet on numerous occasions…" Fox hugged the blue hedgehog, relieved that he was back to his senses.

"Uh, we don't want to interrupt your alone time, but I got the feeling you're forgetting us," the bird cawed.

"They are?" the bear asked, looking above to see his friend's face. The bird simply pecked the bear in the forehead with her beak, shaking her head.

"Oh yeah," the bear spoke with sudden realization. "I'm Banjo, and this is my best pal Kazooie, a Breegull. She usually gives me advice on survival."

"That's what friends are for," Kazooie cooed, resting her wings on Banjo's head. "You can refer to us as Banjo-Kazooie. We don't mind."

"…Alright then," Fox replied. "I'm Fox McCloud. This is Sonic the Hedgehog." Banjo & Kazooie became rather surprised when they suddenly looked past the scars and recognized the blue rodent as though they had met before.

"THE Sonic?" Banjo asked, excited, running up to Sonic and shaking the hedgehog's hand. "Oh. My. Goodness. We've been hanging out in the racing days ever since you arrived in my homeworld! Good to see you, buddy!"

"Do… Do I know you two?" Sonic asked. Because the blue hedgehog could still not remember anything past his life on Mobius, this troubled Banjo & Kazooie greatly as the bear let go of the hedgehog's hand.

"I forgot to tell you… Sonic has amnesia, so he doesn't know any of that happening on your planet," Fox responded. The Star Fox leader and the blue speedster then noticed something off-putting about the bear and Breegull they could see.

"How long were you free from Galeem and Dharkon?" Fox asked.

"Oh, about ten years," Banjo answered.

"We've survived both the Movement of the Light and the Movement of the Darkness," Kazooie responded. "Two of our buddies went traveling around Draxia just recently, and I take it you've already found three of our companions…?" Fox McCloud's brain went completely numb, unable to believe that the bird and the bear survived. After five years of inactivity, they had just found another survivor.

"Piranha Plant, Joker, and the Hero. Of course!" Fox responded. "Yeah, we've found your buddies, and they're off traveling through the Lost Woods. They would probably lose their sense of direction, because… what else can you expect from a name like Lost Woods? According to Hylian legend, children who get lost there become children of the darkness. Skull Kids, to be precise."

"Geez, that's terrible," Banjo replied, rubbing behind his ears. "Let's hope we don't lose our friends there."

"Uh, guys?" Sonic and Kazooie asked in unison, pointing at the Mii Brawler slowly waking up. The three fighters (Banjo & Kazooie are classified as one) walked up to the ex-Ultimate Reborn pull himself together and slowly stand up. The red aura and purple eyes were gone, meaning the Mii Brawler was free from Dharkon's control.

"Where… Where am I?" the Mii Brawler asked, rubbing the side of his face.

"You're in the Sacred Realm, a place located in Draxia, the World of Darkness," Fox answered. The Mii Fighter then became rather confused by Sonic's scars and different eyes colors as well as the bear-bird duo with them.

"…Sonic? Who are those two?" the Mii Brawler asked.

"They're Banjo & Kazooie… I think," Sonic answered. Fox held out his hand for the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn to grab onto, pulling the Smasher on his feet.

"We're here to solve a riddle," Fox told the Mii. "If you know any secrets about these torches in Kakariko Village, that would be super."

"…Well, all I know is that the torches are laid out into some sort of clock," the Mii Brawler answered. "All we need to do is figure out the correct time to unlock whatever it is you guys are looking for and we're all set."

"We can help too!" Banjo called out. "What riddle… is it?"


Within the darkness of the Dharkon Void, the Seraph of Chaos watched the small band of Smashers through a magical mirror. The glaring eye noticed the scar-faced hedgehog communicate with one of the surviving fighters. Galeem, still chained up and trapped in his cage, chuckled at his brother's misstep.

"I'm betting your one mistake was letting the blue rat escape from his torture cell," Galeem maliciously growled, struggling to move as the chains binding his legs and impaling his wings held him down. "Now he's getting his memories back and starting to control his powers."

"Sonic will not live up to the point where he uncovers his entire past and controls the Rainbolements within him, for the Sacred Land is littered with dangerous traps and enemies," Dharkon answered, taking a good look at Banjo and his birdy friend Kazooie. "Plus, the more challengers there are, the merrier."

"I would not count your lucky stars yet because more friends means more combined strength to drag you down," Galeem objected. "Soon, you'll be left to burn in my light, and all will follow my rules of perfection." Tabuu, stilled confined with the Chains of Darkness and attached to the cage bars, backed away as best as he could when Dharkon floated near his brother.

"Not if they kill you first," Dharkon growled. "Once I let them have their way with you, I will be left to enslave them all. There is no way you can resist. Their time… is running out…"

Chapter 65: The Princess of Hyrule

Summary:

Keeping in mind that the Triforce of the Sacred Realm needs to be completed, the fighters work together to take down the Zelda Primary, which is just what they need to get through the Lost Woods.

Chapter Text

Fox, Sonic, and the Mii Brawler took a good look at the quartz torches, trying to see what they could figure out. By their side were Banjo and his Breegull friend Kazooie, who were trying to help them as best as they could.

"So… what's the riddle again?" the Mii Brawler asked.

"An Owl Statue told us to light the torches so the hour is midnight and the minute is worth a dime," Fox answered. "It would be pretty cool if we could find out what the time even reads in the first place…" Sonic then saw some sort of Hylian writing on one of the torches in the outside circle, brushing away the dust to read it.

"You guys might wanna come and see this," Sonic told the gang. The fighters gathered near the glitching blue hedgehog, unable to translate the language.

"I think it means 'seven'," Sonic continued, surprised that he can read Hylian. "How do I know this? It must be these powers enhancing me…"

"Powers?" the Mii Brawler asked.

"Apparently, Dharkon did something to Sonic so he's like this," Banjo answered. "Don't know how or why, but it can't be good for the poor critter." Sonic walked around another torch, with a reading labeling it as "six". Sonic managed to find the torches they lit told the time 4:40.

"Of course," Sonic told the group. "The torches on the outside circle are minutes, and the torches on the inside are hours."

"But how do we figure out the time for this riddle?" Fox asked. "The Owl Statue told us to set these torches to the correct time, with the hour of midnight and the minute worth a dime."

"Well, we know the hour of midnight is 12:00, but what about the minute…?" Kazooie cooed, thinking about the solution.

"The best guess I could come up with is dimes are usually worth ten cents… so what would that make the minute then…?" Sonic responded.

"The time's 12:10," Fox answered. "It may not be the right answer, but this is what we're going with."

"I'll light the right correct ones," Sonic told the Star Fox mercenary. "Wait right here." The glitching hedgehog approached the torches, the palms of his hands generating fire. The blue speedster sent out two fireballs, trying to control which one would land. He had already etched which torches to light in his memory, and he got both the 10-minute torch and the 12-hour one. Things seemed to stop once the ground shook with a more powerful rumble than before. Right at the center of the torch clock in Kakariko Village, a blue pillar of light erupted into the cloudy sky, glowing so bright everyone can see it from the ends of the lands.


Deep in the Lost Woods, Mario and his team were constantly getting separated from each other, always going around in circles and reuniting. To make matters worse, it was so densely foggy that you can't see several feet in front of you. Once the group reunited at the entrance to the Lost Woods, they were already exhausted.

"Any luck?" Mario asked, panting. The fighters all shook their heads, feeling confused and lost.

"Look!" Sheik called out, pointing at the blue beacon. The fighters turned around and saw the light pillar shining bright into the sky, and Mario already knew its location.

"Kakariko Village," Mario said. "We have to hurry." The red plumber dashed off from the Lost Loose entrance back to the village, and his companions followed after him. Kirby was about to join them too until the red mist of the Mii Brawler Primary appeared from the fog and entered into his body without the pink puffball knowing it. The stone he swallowed before glowed again, triggering yet another vision inside Kirby as his eyes flashed red.


The pink puffball groaned as he opened his eyes to the dark world of Arcus, noticing Galeem was sitting outside near the lake by the cave. The Lord of Light watched as the Crazy Hands dominated the black skies.

"Dharkon…" Galeem scoffed, whisking the water with his extended claws. "It seems you found out my secret. For once, you've found what I want out of these dragons. I just want to use them to create an empire. I see it's not just about how many people recognize you anymore. We know we have the power to change the universe to suit our needs, and you want to destroy me with it…"

"Excellent choice, Galeem," the calm voice spoke behind the Lord of Light. Galeem turned around to see the mysterious black mist right behind him, holding the pink slime in his crystalline hands.

"I see your brother has finally had enough of your government," the figure with the green sclera and red irises spoke. "…Would you like me to help you with that?"

"How do you know I can trust you?" Galeem asked, standing up on his four legs. "As far as I know, you're here to kill me at the last minute."

"Maybe, maybe not," the stranger responded. "So you wish to become as powerful as Dharkon? I and been around the block seven times, not counting this event."

"What you mean not counting?" Galeem growled, become suspicious of the black-mist figure. "Tell me what's going on here!"

"Your brother Phoenix wished he would be just as powerful and popular as you, dreaming to live up to your level," the stranger responded. "I gave it to him… but the results were catastrophic in levels I had never expected. You can blame me and say it's my fault, but I suppose there is no way around this. Your brother has become too dangerous for this world. His darkness will spread throughout the planet, then the solar system, then the galaxy, and later the universe and all other universes beyond."

"What do I have to do?" Galeem asked, starting to lower his guard.

"That's rather easy," the stranger responded, his pink slime slithering around his crystalline arm. "In order to defeat the monster, you must become the monster yourself. So far, Dharkon is only bent on killing you and putting out all the lights in existence, ranging from tiny flames to enormous stars. He sees you as corrupt as all other sentient beings. You are stronger and wiser than him. Your heart is as tough as stone so Dharkon will not control you. Burn him from this world and wipe out all the shadows and chaos. Then, you will have what you desire: order and perfection." The white dragon slowly approached the shadowy figure, unaware of what the stranger had in mind.

"Let me awaken you to your truest form…" the stranger spoke. The pink slime quickly slithered up the crystalline arm to the stranger's fingers, disturbing Galeem greatly. The Lord of Light was about to jump away in panic before the coated crystalline arm scratched the left side of his face, only without any pain this time. Galeem's breathing stopped as he felt the golden scar running down the left side of his face, surprised at how deep it went through his iron-tough skin before it faded. Even though it appeared to have vanished, the scar was still there.

"This should give you an advantage against your brother," the stranger spoke. "If you should even need help, you can always talk to me."

"But… what about Ultima?" Galeem asked. "My wife? Our unborn child?"

"They don't matter," the stranger responded, levitating into the black sky with the pink slime on his shoulders. "What's important is that you bring the light and order back to this world. Destroy the darkness and chaos. It shouldn't be hard to convince the survivors to be on your side. What do they know about me anyway…?"

"Nothing…?" Galeem answered in the form of a question. "…Wait. Who are you and why is this happening? Wait!" Before the Lord of Light could get a response, the black-mist stranger vanished without a trace, his pink slime companion included. Galeem touched the area of his scar, which lighted up before it went out again. Before he could think of anything else, Galeem entered into the Cave of the Ancients, already having a plan to defeat Dharkon. As soon as things calmed down for the pink puffball, the environment went dark, and Kirby woke up back in the Sacred Realm near the Lost Woods.

"Kirby!" Marth called out from the distance. "Let's go!" Kirby willingly listened to the command the Hero-King was giving him and quickly followed the trail to Kakariko Village.


"What's going on?" Banjo asked, shielding his and Kazooie's eyes from the blue beacon that was growing bigger and brighter.

"I think we did something," Fox answered. "I think… it's the second half of the Triforce of Wisdom! We found Zelda!" The blue beacon vanished after a split second, fading away to reveal another Primary of Dharkon: the beautiful and wise Zelda as she appeared ten years ago.

"So you think you can just intrude this land without Dharkon's permission, don't you?" the Zelda Primary asked. "Have at thee, Invaders, for I am Hilda, the Princess of Lorule!" Fox wasted no time in listening to introductions as fast as he pulled out his blaster and fired at the Primary's skirt. A small flame ignited near her feet, and the Zelda Primary stepped on her skirt to put it out.

"Listen," Fox snarled, exposing his canine teeth through his pissed-off expression. "We've been having a rough ten years of fighting, so don't think this can end any differently for you."

"Whatever you say, warriors not from Hyrule," the Zelda Primary noted, summoning a Phantom behind her. Once Sonic dashed towards her and kicked the captured fighter's knee, the Phantom's legs were only completed as it dashed towards the other three fighters. Fox and the Mii Brawler jumped above, but Kazooie quickly shielded Banjo with Golden Feathers and quickly dashed towards the possessed Princess of Hyrule. The Zelda Primary was about to use Nayru's Love as she was being launched, but the Mii Brawler quickly landed behind her and up-smashed, sending her into Fox's flaming jump.

She was tossed onto the ground, trying to conjure up dark magic like in Lorule and mixing it with Din's Fire. Kazooie laid another Grenade Egg that rolled from underneath Banjo's backpack meant to be aimed at the captured fighter, but the Zelda Primary used Nayru's Love and reflected the Grenade Egg which landed in Sonic's hands. Without warning, electricity spiraled out through the grenade, and the glitching blue hedgehog could not react in time to throw it. As Fox was rapidly kicking the Zelda Primary, he dashed towards Sonic before the electrical-charged grenade was about to explode and quickly pulled out his reflector. The grenade was about to go out with a bang in the air, and Kazooie quickly assisted Banjo with grabbing the Zelda Primary and throwing her into the grenade's direction. The Mii Brawler simply tossed a bowling ball as bait, and the Zelda Primary took it by using Nayru's Love and reflecting the ball only to notice the charged grenade flying towards her in time. Before she could teleport away with Farore's Wind, the humongous blast created from both fire and lightning killed the Zelda Primary instantly, winning the battle.

The four fighters cheered for their victory, applauding at the large explosion that defeated the Zelda Primary. Sonic whooped and spinned around in place before he slipped and fell into Fox's arms. The Star Fox mercenary shook his head for the trouble only an idiot like the blue hedgehog will go through, and Sonic pushed Fox's face away from himself.

"Thanks, pal," Sonic chuckled, getting back up on his feet. The comatose Princess of Hyrule was bathed in a blue light, floating down to the village as the red mist and Hilda Spirit accompanied her. The four fighters watched as the red mist swirled around Sonic, bringing back more of the hedgehog's memories. He started remembering an urgent message delivered to his door one day, saying that Knuckles and Shadow the Hedgehog went missing. In an act of rescue, Sonic managed to gather all seven Chaos Emeralds and even steal some from Dr. Eggman and transformed into his Super Form, leaving his home planet without telling the rest of his friends. This resulted in him searching through different universes different from his own light-millennia away, stopping at different worlds to let the Chaos Emeralds recharge as he went around the various landscapes, fighting common enemies, learning about the legendary heroes and creatures and even befriending said heroes and creatures while competing in friendly rivalries. The journeys he went through gave him a memory that spanned a lifetime, mapping literally the entire multiverse and its tales from the back of his head. The only thing he was currently unable to recover was Arcadia. All he remembered afterwards was nothing, not even managing to rescue Shadow and Knuckles… for now. The red mist levitated away from Sonic's face, floating with the Hilda Spirit into the direction of the Lost Woods.

"…Banjo? Kazooie?" Sonic asked, finally recognizing the bear and the bird.

"You do remember us!" Kazooie happily cooed, Banjo hugging the glitching hedgehog tightly.

"Guys…" the Mii Brawler told the three anthropomorphic animals. Banjo and Sonic broke up the hug and saw the rest of their group travel down from the path to the Lost Woods, surprised by what they were met with. Most of the houses in Kakariko Village were torn down from the fighting, with many Spirits huddled close together and frightened.

Link, Toon Link, and Sheik ran up to Princess Zelda, who was just waking up. Joker and the Hero hugged Banjo & Kazooie, glad they were back together after five years.

"We didn't think we would see you two again!" Ireburn cried, both he and the Phantom Thief happy to return to the bear and his Breegull friend.

"Mamma mia…" Mario sighed, planting his hand on his face. "When will you learn, Sonic? When will you learn…?"

"That my actions have consequences?" Sonic jokingly finished, laughing at his own humor whilst glitching. "At least I know who I am and know about you guys…"

"At least the old Sonic's back, and we're finally out of the Lost Woods," Marth responded in relief. While the Smashers were greeting each other in acquaintance and satisfaction over one's safety, Kirby watched as the Hilda Spirit and the red mist entered his body, triggering yet another vision.


The pink puffball woke up to the clamoring of dragons, preferably the survivors in the Cave of the Ancients. Ultima emerged from the nursery to meet up with her sister-in-law and mentor to figure out what was going on.

"Oh, Ultima," Medley said. "You're here in time. Galeem has an idea to take back our world and save Arcus."

"I hope he does…" Ultima answered. "I mean… it's not like he's going to betray us at the last minute… right?" Sozo approached the young Queen of Arcus, showing that there is something going on in the general's mind.

"I have a confession to make," Sozo sighed. "However, this is a major secret, and no one else must hear us. Follow me." Sozo ran right into the nursery, and Ultima went after him in confusion.

"But won't the children listen?" Ultima asked.

"Dragonlings are weak in their mental state, meaning that they don't listen as good as the adults," Sozo explained. "Even if they were to listen, they would just find it too boring to understand." The two royal dragons made it to the nursery, where most of the few million baby dragons have already calmed down.

"You were saying?" Ultima asked.

"When my father, Lord Ceresor, had died, I managed to sense an… unspeakable evil in your presence when you were at his grave," Sozo answered. "There are many evils in our world doing things for their own twisted intentions, but whoever visited you… was not from this universe, or any other universe. Somehow, it found a way into our world and is twisting your brothers against each other as it feasts on their family secrets to make itself stronger."

"Brothers?" Ultima asked. "Galeem would never fall under sin. He's the Lord of Light, symbolic of peace and hope."

"He may have my authority and powers, but he is still to juvenile to understand the consequences," Sozo answered. "Even if he had traveled to different planets with us, he is still not bright enough to know about… her."

"…Her?" The Queen of Arcus was starting to think about what her mentor was talking about, starting to remember the goddess from her nightmare.

"Her consciousness is strong enough to manipulate and deceive even the strongest of minds," Sozo responded. "One minute, she arrives when you are at your weakest. The next… both she and her raw power convert you into one of her many toys. Toys that break once she plays with them too rough, just like how she sees us. Her envy and insanity for the Almighty Father's creations has no limit. She thinks she can create the perfect multiverse free of sin… by destroying ours. I can see through your memories. My father told me and Hakai about her. We know who you saw…" Flashing images of Ultima's nightmare flashed through her mind, scaring her to the point where she doesn't know what's real anymore.

"In the beginning, she was locked away for her attempt of destruction," Sozo continued. "The Almighty Father and his angels split her into two: her raw power and her mind. Her raw power, the Mother, was sealed away in the World of Insanity far away from our grasp, but her mind was strong enough to remain in the multiverse, still bent on collapsing all matter. The mind was locked away in a parallel universe, guarded by the Flames of Surtr's Son until time ended in that dimension. After His work was done, the Almighty Father killed the Seraphim of Balance on his side, who were corrupted by the goddess that worked for Him. He then spread their powers to the mortals, believing that anyone in a plane of existence of flesh and bone cannot be touched by her scheming ways. From what has happened so far… He was wrong for once. The mind of the goddess manipulated the flames to merge with him, and they had combined into a god. When three figures of light had stopped them, all they did was put out the Flames of Surtr's Son."

"Then… that means he made it here…" Ultima gasped with sudden realization in her golden eyes. "The pink slime he carried along is an Insaniton that somehow survived! That goddess somehow found us! But that means… Galeem is in danger…!"

"His own actions will only get himself killed, whether he was corrupted by the mind of the goddess or not," Sozo answered. "Your brothers have reached a point to where you cannot stop them now in their conquest for power. I know you cannot do this alone… but only with help can you stop a terrible fate that not even the Almighty Father could do to stop. I hope you know what you're doing, Queen of Arcus." Ultima looked outside of the nursery, watching as Galeem was giving a motivational speech in the center of the crowd of dragons.

"And I promise you once we burn all the shadows from this world, we will build it up to a perfect society!" Galeem roared, cheering from the other dragons aching him on. "We will be free from a world of darkness and chaos! Light and order will remain, and we will become the ultimate hive mind! Our loved ones may be gone, but we will live on in their name!" Ultima looked back on Sozo, who looked after the children in the nursery.

"I know what I'm doing," Ultima told the ex-Lord of Light, "unless I'm too late…" The dragons tore down the entrance to the Cave of the Ancients, flying towards Dharkon's current resting place with Galeem leading the way.

"I will stay with the younger dragons," Sozo told Ultima. "They are clearly inexperienced with battle and conflict. It's up to you with what you want to see. I hope your brother isn't already under the influence of the Mother." The Queen of Arcus looked back on Sozo and the dragonlings, noticing Josei and Ningyo with the eggs of Glimmeress and Inkereign in the large group of young dragons. As soon as Ultima soared out of the cave, Kirby's eyes flashed red again, with the environment fading into shadows and bringing him back into reality.


Kirby groaned as the Duck Hunt dog sniffed his face, waking the pink puffball up.

"You awake, sleepyhead?" Kazooie asked. The pink puffball rolled back onto his feet to be greeted by a bipedal bear with a bird in his backpack. It wasn't long before Fox rubbed his cuddly head, glad that his pal was back.

"I can't thank you enough for Smashers like you rescuing me," Zelda spoke out from behind the reunited team of fighters. "This surely is a strange world we live in…"

"Zelda! Your hand!" Link told her. Mario, Kirby, Fox, Sonic, Snake, Joker, Mr. Game & Watch, all of the fighters on their team became surprised when Zelda's right hand flashed blue with half the mark of the Triforce of Wisdom. Sheik's second half glowed blue too, finally finding its match, and PAC-MAN lifted up the Sheikah's hand for his friends to see.

Back at the Temple of the Master Sword, the completed Triforce of Wisdom flashed blue, its aura spreading throughout the land. The fighters then suddenly noticed the dense fog looming over the Lost Woods drastically fade so that their vision was not so opaque as before. This would clearly give them an easier chance of traveling to who they know is the bearer of the Triforce of Courage's third.

"Ready for-a round 2?" Mario asked, popping his knuckles. "We've got-a Triforce to complete." The fighters all got their weapons ready, with some raising their fists close to their faces. Those that were rescued from Dharkon clearly would not know what to expect.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" the Mii Brawler asked. "Hyrule 2.0 can be filled with a lot of traps, my people included…"

"Cineroar," Incineroar answered, giving a thumbs up.

"We complete the Triforce and bring peace, we head back to your base," Zelda responded, magic glittering between her fingers.

"Don't look at me," Sonic replied while glitching. "I'm just here to get my memories back." The blue hedgehog let the seven Rainbolements slither at the tips of his gloved hands as he dashed towards the Lost Woods, eager to learn more about himself.

"Wait! Come back!" Fox shouted, chasing after him. Soon, the entirety of Group A rushed down to the Lost Woods, returning veterans and newcomers included.

Chapter 66: The Lost Woods

Summary:

As the fighters travel through the Lost Woods, they slowly discover that this place is filled with more traps than they thought. But if they listen to the guidance of the Owl Statues, they might make it through.

Chapter Text

Once the fighters got to the entrance of the Lost Woods, they noticed the dark, crooked trees were visible in the cloudy light, with the dense fog only touching the ground. Zelda stood in front of the bending gateway, believing she can help these fighters in their mission.

"The reason why you were always commonly lost is because you haven't interacted with one of the Owl Statues here," Zelda explained. "Maybe if you looked around hard enough, you could have found one of them. Let me show you. Everyone go in a single-file line behind me…" The Princess of Hyrule entered the Lost Woods, with Sheik following behind her. Mario walked through the gateway with Fox and Sonic, with Link carrying Toon Link on his shoulders. Snake, PAC-MAN, Pit, Mega Man, Simon, and Ryu were accompanied by Joker, Ireburn, and Banjo with his Breegull friend Kazooie. Soon, basically all the fighters traveled past the gateway to the Lost Woods, ready to take on whatever challenges await them.

The team traversed through the foggy forest, not wanting to get lost again. What they saw were wilting leaves on the branches, coated in thick, sticky webs. The echoing laughter of children was carried across the wind, filling the Smashers with an uneasiness.

"The problem's the fact that you are always straying from the path," Zelda told them, holding her long skirt up. "If you feel hard stone wherever you're walking, then you are going the right way. Sooner or later, you'll finally come across an Owl Statue, and would you look at that?" Right in front of the fighters at the end of a three-way path was what they were looking for: an Owl Statue embedded in roots and rotting vines. Its eyes flashed white as it spoke its message.

Courage lies within the hopeful girl who waits for her friend. If you wish to find him yourself, travel east, south, and then continue south. The hidden path calls for you.

"Listen to the statues," Zelda told her friends. "They always speak the truth." Mario pulled out the compass portion on his watch-like device, watching the wiggling needle trying to point north and knowing where to go. The red plumber took the path closest to east, setting his trail down the one he chose. The fighters followed after him, with Zelda and Sheik trailing behind Mario. The red plumber then turned south, keeping his feet firm on the stone road as he simply went straight. Then, he came across a huge bush of thistles blocking the path.

"Zelda… are you sure this is the way?" Mario asked.

"I told you, the Owl Statues never lie," Zelda answered. "…Don't they?"

"So I guess we made it here for nothing?" Mega Man responded. "The branches look so thick you can't even burn them down…" Soon controversy arose on how the fighters would individually tear down the thistle bush, which grew into more of arguments on who was better. Not taking the risk, Sonic the Hedgehog ran into the bush, glitching as he took his rapid footsteps. The fighters suddenly stopped talking as they saw Sonic blip through the thistles.

"Sonic!" Fox called out, running through the bush.

"His powers must've made him survive, Fox! There's no way you can… make it… through?" the Mii Brawler answered, slowly turning into the form of a question when he and the Smashers noticed that the Star Fox leader simply ran through as though it was like the fog on the ground. Soon, Fox's hand poked out without a scratch.

"It's alright!" Fox told his friends while making gestures with his hand. "There's a secret entrance through here!" When they had heard that, Mario stepped through, suddenly realizing that the thistle bush wasn't hurting him.

"Come on, people!" Sonic told them from inside the secret entrance. "The sooner we rescue your pals, the faster we can get to this Dharkon person!" The fighters walked through the thistle bush after realizing that it was just an illusion, and now they were traveling inside the thorny vines. Normally, anyone would stray off the path and get lost due to the fog obstructing the view of the road, but the team took into advantage of walking on the stone as they followed Zelda, Sheik, and Mario.

"Y'know," the Mii Brawler told Fox, "I've been thinking. I notice it's getting hard for even me to split myself from the other Mii Brawlers, who I know are still out there in the darkness. I just feel like I would probably want a name that sets me apart from the others…"

"What do you mean?" Banjo asked, who was overhearing the conversation.

"I just… want a chance of pace," the Mii Brawler answered. "Hopefully the Mii Swordfighter and Mii Gunner ex-Ultimates are waiting for me outside of the Sacred Land, and the least I should have before I get myself killed is at least an identity..."

"How about Sieg?" Fox answered in the form of a question. "Five years before Dharkon arrived, there was a woman by our side named Faker who's still back at our hiding base. She carried a stone that's currently inside Kirby. Literally, when he swallowed it. Once he gave it back to Faker one time, she recovered some of her memories as well as sharing them with us so we know who we're up against. Your ancestors were involved at one point, so I guess they had names too…"

"I… suppose Sieg is a good choice," the Mii Brawler replied in glee. "You can call me that from now on."

"Welcome aboard, Sieg," Kazooie chirped. Just then, Banjo bumped into the Inkling from behind, and the other fighters stopped. Mario, Zelda, and Sheik had just came across another Owl Statue in front of the stone path. The red plumber touched its base again, and it had another message.

The boy raised by Kokiri is close at hand. If you wish to burn down the log that blocks the path, head north, west, north, and then continue north. Dive in with whatever bravery is in your hearts.

Mario then pulled out his device again, watching the spinning needle keep pointing itself north. The red plumber emerged out of the thistle bush secret passage, heading up north while keeping his guard steady. He then turned west, and north again until the fighters stumbled across a huge lake found in the middle of the Lost Woods.

"Great," Joker sighed, placing his hand on his face. "Another dead end." The Inkling stuck her hand in the water to make sure that it wasn't as toxic. Much to her surprise, she didn't melt once again. However, it still doesn't answer how the fighters can find the supposed Young Link Primary.

"Work with us, people," Zelda answered, standing as she looked around the edge of the lake. "There has to be a secret around here…" As the Princess of Hyrule traversed the strange area, Pit looked at the reflection of the shimmering, murky water until he noticed purple irises gleaming on the lake's surface, appearing right behind Zelda.

"Zelda, look out!" Pit shouted. Zelda turned around to see the legendary Parallel Falchion attempt to strike her before she jumped out of the way, summoning her Phantom by her side. The ghostly armor halfway completed slashed straight at the Primary, who jumped straight out of the trees. Pit fired a light arrow with his bow at the captured fighter, who jumped out of the way while a Mimicutie appeared out of nowhere and rapidly kicked the angel from behind. Mario used his forward aerial, unable to do so as the Mimicutie had super armor and kicked him in the face. The possessed fighter that seemed to ambush the fighters was Chrom, who was held under Dharkon's control.

Marth recognized the image of the Spirit that flashed on Chrom's chest, showing it to be Camus from the timeline when Chrom, Robin, and Lucina all existed thousands of years after the Hero-King's rule. The Mimicutie began kicking harshly, spinning around in circles and trying to send the fighters flying. Sonic got onto all fours and pounced on the Chrom Primary like a panther, creating ice shards on his glitching fingertips and slashing harshly at the captured fighter's face.

"So you're the glitch that escaped, huh?" the Chrom Primary asked, holding his Parallel Falchion against the blue hedgehog's hands. "This is going to be fun…"

"Not for you it isn't!" Sonic snarled, back-throwing the Chrom Primary straight for the Mimicutie, which was dancing around on its feminine legs and rapidly jabbing with them, the fighters keeping their distance due to its super armor. The glitching hedgehog zipped towards the chest monster and heated up his gloves until they were scalding hot. Melting the gold on the rim of the Mimicutie, Sonic pried the chest body open, kicking the Chrom Primary into a black vortex inside the creature from the Underworld Army. The glitching blue rodent dived into the Mimicutie, with Kirby following in after him. As soon as things have started to calm down once the Mimicutie dropped dead, the bushes rustled until an invading army of corrupted Mii Brawlers, Supporters, and Subspace Army troops emerged, trampling the very ground they stood on.


Sonic had his hands full on flashing his feet against the Chrom Primary on the Arena Ferox stage with Kirby by his side, his metal soles grinding across the smooth metal until sparks emerged. Wind was coating the Parallel Falchion, and the Chrom Primary slashed. The blue hedgehog jumped out of the way in time, ready to use his homing attack after Kirby kicked the captured fighter and used his Stone ability shortly after the Primary tried to use a counter-attack. Sonic managed to hit the Chrom Primary, but with unexpected results. For one, it was a massive blast of fire from the blue hedgehog, glitching like he did. The Chrom Primary landed as soon as large platforms emerged through gears and cogs. The captured fighter began spacing out with aerials, keeping an eye on the two Smashers approaching him.

"Stay back!" the Chrom Primary shouted, swinging his blade. "I'm warning you!" The glitching hedgehog tried to keep himself in midair through powerful air boosts, trying to avoid touching the ground as Kirby did his thing to the captured fighter. The pink puffball parried the Chrom Primary's forward smash and quickly used Inhale, only spitting the Chrom Primary out as a star this time. Once the captured fighter was off-stage, Sonic nosedived straight for the possessed Smasher, coated in a powerful magic aura. After the glitching blue hedgehog collided with the Chrom Primary, a powerful blast of plasma blasted out in all directions, knocking the captured fighter into the blast zone and winning the battle.

Beams of light this time rest the background of the Arena Ferox, swirling around in rainbow colors as they approached Kirby and Sonic. The blue hedgehog noticed he could not move and only saw the Camus Spirit emerge from the Chrom Primary's body and surround him with a barrier.

"Poyo poyo poyo!" Kirby told Sonic, hoping the speedy devil could hear his language. As shocking as that was, Sonic fully understood what Kirby was saying.

"Aim fo-fo-fo-for the tiny hole?" Sonic asked, glitching again between his sentence and almost pulling the trigger. "Like I would have that much luck!" As soon as Sonic glitched again, he pulled the trigger of the Spirit Sniper and hit the Chrom Primary, shattering the Dharkon Lock and freeing both the Spirit and the fighter. The place went completely dark, with the red mist swirling around Sonic's face.

Part of the hedgehog's amnesia was recovered, allowing him to recall what happened when he arrived. He had traveled to the edge of the multiverse with the Chaos Emeralds, still looking for his two pals… until he was snatched by the Master and Crazy Hands of Arcadia. His soul was separated from his body and placed in a different vessel, for the rules they had made sure he was not a mortal and can be revived by another at the cost of his past. Not wanting to take the chance, Sonic fled from the darkness, escaping into the light before the Hands could reach him and transform him. The next thing he knew… he woke up in a forest…

As soon as the red mist finished restoring some of Sonic's memories, it merged with the Camus Spirit and entered inside Kirby. The glitching blue hedgehog grabbed ahold of Kirby as the pink puffball was ready to experience yet another vision.


He was seen floating in midair, watching the fleet of dragons soar through the air. They were all led by Galeem, whose orange-and-blue wings created trails of light. His sister Ultima trailer along behind him, starting to feel worried if Galeem would really fall into sin. Why would he do that? He represents light – holy, pure, and incorruptible. There is no way he would appear in the same vein as their brother Phoenix… unless the light itself was in the wrong hands. The Queen of Arcus tilted her body and drew closer to Medley, who joined the fight to retake Arcus.

"Medley?" Ultima asked. "I… haven't seen Galeem in quite a while and was wondering how he behaved with you."

"He was the sweetest of all the other dragons I came across," Medley answered. "Since our species ages fast but lives up to thousands of years, it didn't take long for us to see and conceive a child under our territory. However, as I sleep, I can hear him walk outside of our home and look out into the night. On numerous occasions, I peak outside to see him look beyond the horizon as though it was his to command. As though it was his to govern. As though it was his to rule. And he stares out like he wants to be king. I guess being popular all these years really got to him… well, before he was kicked out by Lord Ceresor."

"…After the Lord of Arcus died, he saw potential in me to become a pure queen and retain the balance between darkness and light by choosing the best of his sons' students," Ultima responded with a deep exhale. "I just hope it wasn't the biggest mistake of our lives trying to make my brothers Lords of Light and Darkness."

As the remaining millions of dragons in all of Arcus flew closer to the Sky Temple, thousands of Crazy Hands flew out from the thundering sky of black and charged straight for the reveling dragons, curled up into fists. Galeem shot a flaming fireball that expanded in the air, trapping the first hundred Crazy Hands in a golden burning aura. The Hands of Destruction then collapsed into Swarms mixed with violet crystals, their silky fabric skins burning into ashes. Once the fireball vanished, the Lord of Light flew upright to give his command.

"For the light and the order!" Galeem roared, creating a web of lasers streaming from his mouth. As the laser show spliced through more Crazy Hands before most of them teleported right in front of the charging dragons, the resistance began tackling with their primary Rainbolements. More Crazy Hands emerged from the Sky Temple and starting attacking more of the dragons. While the resistance had their claws full mauling what once were their family, Galeem, Ultima, and Medley managed to get past the security of Dharkon's forces and land in front of the entrance.

Once Galeem barged the locked doors down, they saw what happened to the Sky Temple after they escaped. Nauseating, pulsing webs of flesh and pus ran across the large cracks, glowing with the red blood color as the lightning flashed in the sky. As the three Dragosmos made their way across the hall to make it to the throne room, they managed to find the bodies of all the dragons that were killed by resistance. Cocoons of skin wrapped around the corpses, being hung on the crumbling ceiling and even some attached to the disgusting piles of gore. It seemed as though the cocoons were digesting the flesh of the bodies because the three Dragosmos saw one spit out bones that were clean and rid of any muscle tissue, and they were see-through enough so they can watch the horror of acidic fluids melt the rotting corpses inside these cocoons. The faces of the dead dragons were filled with fear of death, some of them even having one or two gaping-wide eye sockets of where the most expressive parts of the face should be.

"This is terrible," Ultima gasped, stopping to feel sorry and pain for those souls that have been tortured even after death. "Phoenix would never do something so dark and horrible…" The Queen of Arcus noticed Galeem not bothering the mourning and dashed straight for the throne room. He rammed throw the royal door, sending pieces flying in all directions. The Lord of Light's nostrils flared with the golden flames as he stood in front of Dharkon, his colossal tentacle-wings wrapping around his levitating draconic body.

"Nice to see you again, brother," Dharkon growled, his violet scar glowing brighter. "I guess you came crawling back at my feet from the flame you emerged out of."

"This ends right here and now, Dharkon!" Galeem roared, spreading his wings open while Medley and Ultima walked by his side. "You can for in Tartarus for all I care!" Dharkon then floated towards the snarling dragons, chuckling. One of his tentacles slithered in front of him, holding some sort of small mobile device.

"I found this peculiar item in Ceresor's item vault," Dharkon calmly spoke. "I wonder how this works...?" The Seraph of Chaos let his tentacle toss it into the air as he shot a small energy beam at the mobile device. As the item levitated in midair and floated away, hard techno music started playing in all directions of the room as though there was surround sound. The song that played was Monstercat - Final Boss.

"I have been looking to brighten this place up, and I see this kind of ancient music really amps me up. Gets me into my mood," Dharkon spoke, landing softly on the ground as he clawed through the stone floor as the song kept playing. "Prepare to be consumed by the darkness, brother!" Galeem took off into the air, speeding up such as that he would ran into Dharkon with a brute force. The Lord of Light began clashing heads with the Seraph of Chaos, their horns tangling with each other as they pushed against their countering forces. Ultima and Medley began breathing fire at Dharkon, stunning him so that he would jump back. The Lord of Darkness split his six grotesque wings into tentacles, sending some of them flying straight for the Queen of Arcus and Galeem's wife. Ultima pushed Medley out of the way as the tentacles were flying, sliding on the floor.

Galeem began breathing flames made out of purely concentrated light, which was painful to the touch for Dharkon. The darkness infecting his body has become powerful enough to the point that only light can harm him, but he can harm the light as well. Dharkon coiled himself in his tendrils, spitting out blasts of thorns created from pure darkness. The Lord of Darkness then generated electricity through his tentacles and dashed towards Galeem, but the white-armored brother teleported out of the way in time.

The charging Seraph of Chaos hit Ultima, but the dragoness transformed herself into stone and bit into one of the electricity-coated tentacles. She quickly combusted herself into water, electrocuting Dharkon. Ultima then reformed herself back to normal and created a flaming sword in her mouth. Medley backed away and assisted by firing flaming rocks at Dharkon's face. As the Lord of Darkness grabbed the blade of Ultima's flaming sword and shattered it with his own teeth, he was tackled by his brother Galeem.

Are you ready?

The two brothers got back up on their feet, glaring at each other as the scars given to them shined bright. Ultima walked behind, protecting Medley from the intense fight.

Are you…?

As the song kept playing, Galeem and Dharkon dashed towards each other, clawing at their faces ferociously. Their mouths were smoldering hot to the point that their own teeth were burning to the touch. Galeem fired a golden blast of fire while Dharkon unleashed a violet orb of lightning. Once the two projectiles collided into a cataclysmic explosion, the ceiling crumbled with heavy stones and rubble. Ultima whipped some of the falling boulders with her tail as she knew there was no safety even with her Rainbolements. Another stone fell on top of the two dragonesses, but only Medley took advantage of that. She quickly held on tight to the rock as the floor crumbled underneath them, with the Queen of Arcus noticing. Trying to fly above the Sky Temple as it was collapsing was critical at this point, and Ultima destroyed the rock with an acid ball. She pushed Medley to a nearby exit when she discovered they were at the bottom floor with the statues, the Smash Balls, and the Core of the First Star.

Eight…

Seven…

Six…

Five…

(Are you ready?)

Dharkon took off into the sky, thunder rolling behind the Seraph of Chaos as he looked down upon Galeem.

"I suppose you have visited the same stranger that granted me the exact same scar you have," Dharkon said. "Perhaps you and I are not so different in wanting to shape the multiverse to our will."

"In your crushed, pathetic dreams!" Galeem roared, the golden scar on the left side of his face illuminating brighter. The Lord of Light flew into the black sky, but the Lord of Darkness simply vanished into the clouds, the thunder providing a silhouette of Dharkon's six colossal tentacle-wings.

Four...

Three…

Two…

One…

FIGHT!

Dharkon warped back and forth, firing three of his lightning-coated tentacles mixed with a wall of violet thorns per teleport. Galeem managed to warp through the obstacles and try to use his powers to his advantage. The Lord of Light generated golden fire covering his body, spotting Dharkon hiding in the shadows. Galeem quickly fired a blue lightning blast at the Lord of Darkness, who got hit. Dharkon shook his head as he watched his brother charge up a net of lasers, angling themselves all towards him.

The Seraph of Chaos zipped back and forth, flying across the sky as Galeem aimed his own lasers right at the Sky Temple, by which Ultima and Medley were trapped underneath. The Queen of Arcus managed to spot the resisting dragons hold the Crazy Hands back in time, both sides unaware that they were in Ceresor's treasure trove.

"We have to get out of here!" Ultima told Medley after she noticed the falling rubble blocked all exits. The dragoness went in front of the wife of Galeem, melting and freezing all sorts of debris in front of her as she charged for the barricaded exit. Medley kept close to the Queen of Arcus, paying attention for any boulders falling from the ceiling and trying to hit them. One of the pieces of the Sky Temple fell on top of a 21st century car, the alarm blaring as it was crushed under the rock's powerful weight. Dharkon from outside heard the sound, which distracted him from Galeem's charge attack. The Seraph of Chaos then transformed two of his wings into a sledgehammer that he carried around through telekinesis while using the rest of his lightning-coated tentacles and thorny bullets as projectiles.

Round 2… FIGHT!

Galeem and Dharkon teleported back and forth, with the Lord of Light sending out lightning orbs, golden fireballs, and crisscrossing webs of lasers and the Lord of Darkness sending out lightning tentacles and thorny vines while swinging his sledgehammer weapon once he was close to his brother. A battle between order and chaos enraged between the two, with only one fighting to whoever will be ruler of light or darkness. Galeem bit deep into the tendrils that made Dharkon's sledgehammer as soon as he was coated in a self-destruct aura. Once the aura combusted in the eyes of Phoenix, his tendrils turned back into his six wings, and he was slammed into the ground by Galeem.

The sheer impact of Dharkon's body grinding against the floor created a wall of rubble about to conveniently fall on top of Ultima and Medley. Knowing the risk she was about to take, Medley pushed Ultima aside and allowed herself to be crushed by the boulders.

"Medley!" Ultima cried, quickly getting up and ramming through the boulders that buried Medley. The Queen of Arcus dragged the golden-snowflake dragoness out of the debris, her heart beating fast from this traumatic effect.

"No, Medley," Ultima cried, nudging into Medley's chest. "You can't join your sister yet! You can't!" Medley simply looked at the Queen of Arcus weakly, feeling rather… happy and released.

"Ultima…" Medley whispered. "…Take care… of Glimmeress for me… okay?" In her dying breath, the golden-snowflake dragon with white-diamond wings rested her head against the crumbling floor. Just like that, she bit the dust. Ultima placed her front paws in front of her mouth, the scars on her face dripping with tears as she began to cry over Medley's loss. Once the music had stopped, Galeem and Dharkon then broke through the ceiling, with the Lord of Light having the upper hand against his brother.

"Pathetic…" Galeem panted, approaching the tired Seraph of Chaos. "Even with all the power of the shadows, you are still weak." The Lord of Darkness transformed his wings into a sledgehammer, trying to swing at Galeem and crush him like a bug. Since he was already exhausted as he was, Galeem spread his wings and cast some sort of spell. It was rather powerful since Dharkon found himself trapped in a cage of light. The Seraph of Chaos screamed bloody murder as the bright bars scalded his colossal tendrils and burned through his blackened scales. The Crazy Hands that were attacking before became chained up by cuffs made purely out of light, every single one of them from the far corners of the planet pulled towards the floating cage of light, even Hakai himself. The rebelling dragons entered the Sky Temple, with nothing but silence lingering over them. The sky brightened up a bit, with the spell of the darkness lifted with only a normal-looking thundercloud rolling in the night sky.

"It… it's over," Ultima sighed with relief. "We pushed back the darkness. Now we can rebuild this world until us dragonkin are free." However, Galeem had his own intentions, and he was ready to speak out once Dharkon finished wailing.

"…And why would I want to do that?" Galeem asked. That question changed everything for Ultima. Once he had said those exact words, she had no idea which side Galeem had turned to.

"What?" Ultima asked. Galeem turned around to face her, shaking his head.

"Oh, Ultima," Galeem chuckled, his eyes flashing golden with black markings and vertical irises of white. "You just don't understand."

"Understand? Of course I don't! I have no idea what compelled you to say that! Tell me, Galeem!"

"The truth was right in front of you, and yet you refused to believe it. I just wanted to get my brother and all the darkness in the multiverse to create a perfect system of balance for my own intentions. It wasn't about the peace, hope, and freedom. It was about the power and order you can distribute among all sentient species." Galeem then transformed into his true form with the six colossal wings separated from his body and everything, basically the exact same enhanced Lord of Light when Kirby and his friends went up against Galeem before.

"I see how it is. The mysterious stranger that worked for the Mother just handed those powers to you when he knew all you wanted was to create and empire of order and perfection? This is not the way to do it, Galeem. You're smarter than this!" Galeem then levitated in the air, using his telekinesis to transform all of the surviving dragons in their resistance into right-handed, disembodied hands. This time, they were just corrupted under Galeem's rule to begin with, so it was easy for the new Seraph of Order to turn them into Master Hands. Ultima looked in horror as she had found her own brother had betrayed her once Dharkon was locked up.

"But I'm the Queen of Arcus!" Ultima snapped. "You have NO right over me!"

"Pearls before swine, sister," Galeem spoke with a slightly humorous tone as the Master Hands echoed with their laughter. "I am simply the purest of the pure. No denying that." Two Master Hands each teleported to individual sides of Ultima, slamming boulders down upon her spectrum-colored wings and crushing them. She gasped in pain as her wings were pinned to the stone floor, the night thunder rolling in the sky as light raindrops landed on her face. The Master Hands then smashed through the walls so that the floor could fall from the sky. Ultima watched as her own brother, the Lord of Light, look down upon her in such a cruel-hearted manner. How could she have been so neglectful? The warning given to her by the Minister of the Wyverns and the Queen of the Winged Unicorns was all true. She had even let Lord Ceresor down… everyone she understood. Before she hit the earth down below, the Smash Ball flashed red again, and Kirby's vision was over for now.


"Kirby! Kirby!" Sonic shouted, shaking the pink puffball awake. "We can really use some help here!" While Kirby was unconscious, he and Sonic escaped from the Mimicutie with Chrom, who was already free. However, the entire team was surrounded by possessed Mii Brawlers, Supporters, and too many Subspace Army troops to count. Hundreds of them had surrounded the fighters by the lake, and they were just about to fall in. Link looked behind into the murky water, noticing a faint gleam of light deep within.

Dive in with whatever bravery is in your hearts, Link thought. That's it! The Champion of Hyrule jumped right into the lake, swimming deep into the water.

"Link, what are you doing!?" Mario called out, with Toon Link grabbing the red plumber and diving in. All the fighters were soon falling deep into the lake, including the Inkling once she noticed it wasn't toxic. The Pokémon Trainer noticed this and called back his Charizard, placing all three Pokéballs into his backpack and cannonballing. Only Incineroar and Sonic remained near the edge, still fighting back. Fox McCloud went back up for a breath of fresh air, coming out just in time as Incineroar went like "whatever" and belly-flopped into the lake even though water can kill Fire-type Pokémon.

"Sonic, we have to go!" Fox called out, swimming close to the glitching blue hedgehog as the enemies got closer.

"I can't swim, remember!?" Sonic snapped, about to lose his balance as he unleashed magical blasts at the hordes of enemies. The Star Fox mercenary simply did not care as he grabbed ahold of Sonic's quills and pulled him deep into the lake. In the murky water, Fox carried Sonic along with him through a secret passage in the lake. The fighters kicked as hard as they could, some of them allowing each other to be carried along with the strong current. But it seemed like it was too strong. For one, most of the fighters got to the other side, but Clementine was harshly stabbed in the chest with a sharp rock wedged in the passage, orange ink spilling out from her wounds. The current was also powerful enough to separate Sonic from Fox, carrying the Star Fox leader as well as the other Smashers up to the surface while the blue hedgehog was rammed into rocks mixed with algae.

The group swam onto shore, wringing their clothes and shaking their bodies to spray water all over the place. Incineroar was feeling rather weak from swimming in the water, so Red called Charizard to breathe fire onto the Pokémon's doused "belt". Once the belt warmed up and ignited into flames again, Incineroar got back up good as new.

"Sonic and the Inkling are still down there!" Fox coughed, panting badly. "I have to save them!" The fighters didn't bother stopping Fox as he dived into the water to get the glitching hedgehog and Clementine.

Sonic was struggling to breathe as he tried to swim up to the surface, unlucky to do so due to his inability to get out of the water. As soon as the carbon dioxide was building up in his lungs to the point where he needed fresh air, Sonic began glitching again, opening his eyes and using the Water Rainbolement to shoot himself through the depths. He shot straight for Clementine, who was near dying. Once the hedgehog grabbed ahold of the bleeding Inkling, Fox grabbed ahold of the two fighters and swam up to the surface with them.

Fox and Sonic gasped for air once they bursted through the water, with the Inkling wounded enough to the point where she cannot open her mouth and breathe. Fox paddled with the two fighters to shore, resting on his back exhausted. Sonic groaned as he clenched his stomach, his internal organs stuffed with water from how long he had been down there.

"Clementine!" Eleven gasped, running right next to the wounded Inkling. The Luminary quickly began casting healing spells, but they weren't strong enough to repair the large gash in Clementine's chest. Sonic, though weakened and heavy by the water, tried running to the Inkling before Fox stopped him.

"Who knows how much damage the lake did to you?" Fox warned. "Using your powers now might not be the best option…"

"She's dying!" Sonic snapped, growling under his breath and pushing Fox away to heal the Inkling. The glitching blue hedgehog got right next to dying squid girl, shoving the Hero aside.

"What the-? What the hell?" Ireburn asked. Sonic tried combining the healing spell of the Life Rainbolement with the Thunder one, attempting on creating some sort of massive shock wave to repair the Inkling altogether. As soon as the combined powers touched Clementine's chest, the wound was healed, and the Inkling gasped for breath. The weakening of his powers combined with the water filling Sonic's lungs and stomach created a painful churning inside him to the point that he had to let it out. The blue hedgehog opened his mouth, gagging at the water being pushed out through his oral and nasal cavities. Chunks of pre-digested food were mixed with the water, creating some sort of disgusting body waste. The glitching blue hedgehog began coughing and throwing up more, the texture and taste of the vomit grossing him out to the point that Fox went in and gently patted his blue back.

"Let it all out, buddy," Fox reassured the teenage fighter. Once Sonic finished puking, there was a vile smell that infected his poor taste buds and nostrils as the vomit was dripping out.

Shaking and frightened, Sonic leaned in close to Fox McCloud, tears dripping from his eyes and mixing with the droplets of vomit from his mouth and nose. The blue hedgehog began to cry, glitching as he hugged the Star Fox mercenary deeply. The other fighters went silent as they waited until Sonic the Hedgehog got over the traumatic event.

Chapter 67: The Young Hero of Time

Summary:

After reaching to the far ends of the Lost Woods, the fighters confront the Young Link Primary.

Chapter Text

Once things seemed to have calmed down, the team members of Group A traveled down a path made out of sticks and twigs, keeping a cautious eye out for any enemies. Sonic stepped close to Fox, his discolored eyes looking down on his stained white gloves. The stench that he spilled over them was lasting so long he wanted to throw up again.

"You okay?" Fox asked, placing his hand on the back of Sonic's head. The glitching hedgehog looked at the newcomers and veterans the team brought along – Chrom, Zelda, the Mii Brawler now identified as Sieg, Joker, the Hero, and now Banjo & Kazooie.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sonic sighed, feeling terrified of this strange, vast prison known as Hyrule 2.0. Mario, who was watching Sonic this whole time, turned towards Chrom.

"Anything on your mind, Mario?" Chrom asked.

"I wonder if there's a way to get Sonic back," Mario sighed. "I'm talking about the 'cool dude with the bad attitude' hedgehog we had known for ten years, not the lost warrior of an extinct species of dragons we had no idea existed…"

"I just woke up free from Dharkon, but I understand how you feel," Chrom responded. "Besides, we're finding the right paths to find your young Hero of Hyrule. I'm sure Sonic can find the answers on his own with our help and guidance." Just then, Zelda, Sheik, Link, and Toon Link all stopped in front of the group, making their friends come to a grinding halt. They had stumbled across a giant log blocking the path, its branches and roots entangling with the sides of the road.

"Why don't we just go around?" Sonic asked when he saw the roadblock, looking at a brown-coated rabbit hopping off the road next to the giant log. Suddenly, the rabbit found itself sinking into the wet ground, with jagged teeth laying rows upon rows of circles surrounding the tiny rodent. A Like Like emerged from the ground, swallowing the rabbit whole.

"That's why," Banjo answered. "Kazooie and I have taken a tour around the Lost Woods for quite a while and know the place's strengths and weaknesses."

"Then I guess we'll have to-a burn it," Mario noted, the palms of his hands coated in flames. The red plumber pressed his hands against the giant log, burning it into ashes with a simple touch. All the Smashers saw in the area they found was a small sword wedged into a pile of grassy dirt, covered in vines.

"It's the Kokiri Sword," Link told his friends. "Young Link shouldn't be far off…" The silence grew over the part of the Lost Woods, with the fighters getting ready to fight for whoever is here, including the Young Link Primary. Within a minute, Joker was ready for another ambush.

"I'm betting 500 Spirit Points that someone's gonna attack us out of nowhere and get the jump on us…" Joker chuckled, approaching a strange noise he somehow heard. The Phantom Thief then slashed at the bushes with his knife, and a strange figure with the violet eyes jumped out, surprising the other fighters and grabbing the Kokiri Sword midair. A green beacon similar to when Zelda was discovered flashed bright into the dark sky. Tons of possessed Mii Brawlers emerged from the bushes, surrounding the whole group with the captured fighter. From the image flashing on the Young Link Primary's chest, the team of fighters saw the Master Legendary Spirit of the Skull Kid with Majora's Mask on his face.

"I'll get that clone of mine!" Toon Link exclaimed as he rolled his shoulders. "You guys take care of the Mii Fighters!" The cartoon Hero of the Winds dashed right at the Young Link Primary, their swords clanging against each other. Fox and Sonic stood back-to-back, with the Star Fox mercenary firing his blaster at the approaching Mii Brawlers while the glitching speedster sent out powerful lightning clouds that electrocuted more of the possessed warriors. Zelda and Sheik assisted Link with their spells and needles, and Banjo pulled out Kazooie and swung her around to hit more Mii Brawlers.

While the intense battle was going on between the fighters and the corrupted Mii Brawlers, the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn felt a strange kind of power surging through him. It was the same as when Gilbert and Sherry went up against their own classes when the Mii Fighters fell under Galeem's tyrannical rule. It was the Smash Ball awakened within the Mii Brawler.

"Sieg!" Mario called out, noticing the Mii Brawler appear with a rainbow aura and golden eyes. "Whatever happened to you, use it on the Mii Brawlers! Free the last classes still under control from their prison!" Sieg nodded and dashed faster than Sonic ever could. The Final Smash within him was activated, and managed to grab all the possessed Mii Brawlers. The other fighters stopped fighting as they watched the ex-Ultimate Reborn toss the corrupted Mii Fighters and went into the best part of his Final Smash: Omega Blitz. Sieg rapidly jabbed the Mii Brawlers in the air with flashing punches and kicks, damaging the entire clan of Miis to the point that the Spirits possessing each of them were almost launched out. With one final blow, the ex-Ultimate Reborn used a powerful spike from his hands and punched all the Mii Brawlers into the ground, knocking out all the Spirits that had possessed them in the first place.

Sieg's Final Smash was finished, and he landed on the ground softly. All of the Mii Brawlers in the area groaned as they looked around the part of the Lost Woods, curious about what happened.

"Thank Hylia that's over," Sheik sighed, taking a breather and sitting down on the soft moss. Soon, the Spirits they rescued all entered inside Kirby's body, and the fighters all sat down and rested. However, they were starting to remember something.

"Where's Toon Link?" Sonic asked.


While the other Smashers were busy with the fight against the Mii Brawlers, the Young Link Primary had just teleported Toon Link into a Final Destination version of the Great Bay via vortex. Now they had engaged in a fight of raining arrows, boomerangs, and ignited bombs. They seemed to show no signs of stopping with their projectile spamming, and they both got to their opponent at kill percent. Toon Link knew all he had to do was make the first move to break the loop of which alternate timeline Link was better at camping. The Hero of the Winds then crouched, holding his shield up and slowly approached the Young Link Primary. When the captured fighter became exhausted after shooting so many flaming arrows and throwing a ton of boomerangs and bombs, he suddenly noticed Toon Link's shield was invincible against those projectiles, and it was too late.

Toon Link pulled out his clawshot and grabbed ahold of the Young Link Primary. Since the captured fighter was at a kill percent, the Hero of the Winds tossed the Hylian boy into the blast zone and won the battle, freeing Young Link from Dharkon's grasp. Afterwards, there was no time for a roulette as Toon Link found himself carrying Young Link with a green barrier flashing where the boy raised by Kokiris was defeated. Toon Link was teleported back to his friends in the Lost Woods. Joining with the two Link boys was the Skull Kid Spirit and the red mist of the Dharkon Lock. The red mist surrounded Sonic's face, returning more of his memories. So far, Sonic started seeing glimpses of his past, mostly involving Snake who found him before he left and his encounter with Wolf and Jigglypuff. Together, the three fighters had discovered a hiding place of the Mii Fighters, filled with the mute warriors from before. They were led by the Ultimates that were killed before, who kept their faces hidden. They welcomed the anthropomorphic fighters into their hideout located in a giant cave, revealing they had interlocked stargates with the Isle of the Ancients, transferring supplies and minerals between each other. When the Isle was destroyed, the Ultimates were just having their children, which cried for the first time in millennia. Sonic, Wolf, and Jigglypuff had to make the mute Mii Fighters escape before they were rest like the Ancients, and the Ultimates told them they would never speak of this again for fear of their identity and secrets being exposed. The explosion that had entered into the hideout provided a gateway into Subspace for the three Smashers, and this is where Sonic met up with the fighters before they faced against Tabuu. The rest he could remember was over for now.

Once the red mist finished with Sonic's amnesia curing, it reunited with the Skull Kid Spirit, entering inside Kirby and giving him another glimpse of Faker's past.


The pink puffball was woken up by a violent thunderstorm. Kirby, terrified out of his little wits, looked around the dark night and saw the heavy rain falling around the shattered floor of Ceresor's treasure vault that had hit a barren field. Human artifacts and electronic machines have been demolished, with books ripped apart and soaked wet and motorcycles blown to bits. Kirby then headed to where Ultima was pinned down, for he knew what happened to her.

As the pink demon approached Ultima, he saw her royal armor cracked and rusted, the two heavy rocks crushing her wings on each of her sides. The sheer impact of the floor colliding with the earth below created a reaction that knocked the dragoness out. She gasped as soon as woke up, straining herself as she tried to push away the rocks holding her wings down. The Queen of Arcus used her fore legs and grinded her claws opposite of each other, creating some sort of explosive energy in her palms. She heated up the rocks from inside and made them combust, spreading dust and pebbles everywhere. The rain drenched her black scales as she winced in pain from her hurting wings, dragging on the ground as she limped towards all that remained of Ceresor's greatest gifts: the memorials of the legendary warriors of the past and Adstrumlestibus, the Core of the First Star. Her legs were shattered, her skull broken. She only walked a few feet before she succumbed and began to cry from the intense pain. Her tears mixed with the large raindrops rolling down on her royal armor, and she was overcome with guilt. She looked up into the dark of the night, noticing that the Sky Temple was completely gone.

"This is all my fault!" Ultima cried to no one. "If I had just killed the black mist with the pink slime where he stood, none of this would have happened! I lost my own brothers to the Mother's dirty will! I wish I would know who she is and murder her in cold blood! Whatever happened to friends till the end!? Galeem… Phoenix… I couldn't save them… I'm sorry I failed you, Lord Ceresor. I'm not fit to be a ruler." Ultima grabbed her armor by her mouth and cast it aside by her feet, weeping as though she had no idea what to do.

"Almighty Father…" Ultima continued, still crying. "If You do exist, if You really are out there… if You do love us like with the humans, why did You allow this to happen!? Why would You let my own brothers, the Lords of Light and Darkness, the pinnacle of balance in many universes, to rest everything and turn on each other like this!? Give me a sign so I can stop them in Your Name!" The thunder rolled and crackled in the sky, with the rain pouring as heavy as before. Ultima curled herself up, wincing in sobs as she rested her numb wings by her sides.

"Please…" Ultima whispered as she looked up into the sky. "There has to be a way to end all this… To end this war. Not just with the darkness and light, but the final battle to end all final battles. I need a gleam of hope…" The dragoness hung her head low, weeping silently against the thundering rain.

As soon as things seemed dark, all three of the First Ultimates appeared right in front of her. The spectrum-winged Dragosmo stopped crying as she slowly looked up, she noticed the Mii Fighters in front of her. More of the steampunk Brawlers, Swordfighters, and Gunners were right behind them. Ultima, standing up, heard a familiar noise of the Shadow Bugs right behind her. The creatures from the pit of Ginnungagap formed into their solid appearances, ready to give up their lives. A Primid in front of the creatures was holding a familiar black stone: the Heart of Hycto.

"We heard your cries, and we answered, carrying with us the Heart of Helio," the First Mii Gunner Ultimate told the Queen of Arcus. The ruler of that class was carrying some sort of white gemstone in her left hand identical to the Heart of Hycto.

"We now see what the light and darkness mean: light represents peace and darkness represents freedom, not simply order and chaos," the First Mii Brawler Ultimate said. "The light and the darkness both make us whole, and we can balance the two waving forces. The fate of our universe and many other universes rests in our hands! Our blood! Our tears! If they want to burn us away, let them try!" The Mii Fighters and the creatures made from Shadow Bugs cheered, and Ultima was starting to calm down. The raining seemed to have gotten lighter as she looked back on Adstrumlestibus, which was resting in the remaining golden branches of the tree it rested in.

"Thank you… O Holy One…" Ultima whispered as she continued staring at the Core of the First Star. Once the war chanting from both sides of Ginnungagap overlapped each other, Kirby felt the Smash Ball on his forehead gleam again, and his mind was sent back to the Sacred Land found in Draxia.


Kirby had already woken up before his friends managed to help get him back up. It seems as though the pink puffball was getting used to these kinds of visions, and he managed to wake up in time to see the three Links look at their hands, with Link himself being the only one to look at his right hand instead of his left.

The completed Triforce of Courage shined green, its light shining throughout the Sacred Land. From a good perspective, the fighters saw the stone blocking the path to the Master Sword had vanished, meaning it was time to go up and grab the legendary weapon. The Mii Brawlers that were rescued by their respectful ex-Ultimate Reborn were starting to wake up, with the Spirits that had possessed them by each of their sides.

"We did it," Sieg sighed, panting after he used that powerful Final Smash to rescue his people. The Spirits that were freed soared into the air, some entering Kirby's body.

"Now I suppose that's left is to grab the sword, rescue Ganondorf, and complete the Triforce," Zero Suit Samus responded. "Shouldn't be too hard as before… right?" The fighters, both reawakened and previously captured, then headed back to the temple in the center of the Sacred Land, ready to find out more about the original of Galeem and Dharkon from the pink demon.

Chapter 68: The Master Sword

Summary:

Once the entrance to the Master Sword opens, Sonic is willing to pull it out to cast out the glitch in his body... unaware of the consequences.

Chapter Text

As the fighters managed to climb up to the top to the large temple, the Mii Brawlers that were rescued stayed behind, keeping a watchful eye over the Sacred Land. The Smashers looked up at the Master Sword, stuck in the stone and waiting for a chosen hero to pull it out.

"I guess it's up to me to get that sword out," Link told the group. "You guys wait for me until I get it out." The fighters kept silent as they know the Champion of Hyrule would be going up to pull out the Master Sword. To make it clear for them, he pretty much is a brave warrior chosen by the gods to defeat evil.

"Anybody wanna go up there and keep Link company?" Fox asked. "I get a feeling the Master Sword is a booby trap as intense as back in the Lost Woods." None of the other fighters didn't feel like doing it mainly because they were just doing their job. Most of them weren't really special ones.

"I get that some of us are chosen heroes, but I don't think we're classified as 'chosen by the gods'," Marth spoke. "I only had to save my land from an evil sorcerer…"

"I found out I was reincarnated in the Hom species as a god of the Bionis," Shulk replied. "I think I would be special enough to go up there and accompany Link for a while."

"So who's brave enough to be with Link in this mission…?" Mario asked.

"Okay, fine," Sonic responded, glitching like crazy again. "I'll do it. I basically have no memory of what happened for who knows how long after this whole world fell into destruction. The least I should do is help Link pull out that sword and g-g-g-g-get rid of this goddamn glitch infecting me. The Master Sword removes all curses, so my glitch won't be any different…" The blue hedgehog climbed up the stairs, clenching his chest as he glitched again. Fox knew that Sonic isn't be able to protect himself in this state, and the anthropomorphic mercenary followed behind the blue hedgehog.

"Thanks for staying by my side," Link spoke as soon as he saw the two animal fighters walk up to him. The Champion of Hyrule approached the Master Sword, grabbing the stuck weapon by its handle. Just as Link was pulling out the blade, Sonic felt special vibrations from within the Master Sword as it grinded against the stone holding it in place. For whatever reason, Sonic's cursed powers were active, even when he was idle. It seemed as though he could see everything with the ability of vibration-sensing: Link pulling up the Master Sword, Fox McCloud brushing his bushy tail behind his bionic legs, and… an approaching enemy ready to strike above the Champion of Hyrule!?

The blue hedgehog suddenly knew what was about to happen next as the unseen enemy thrusted his blade downward, aiming for Link's head. Sonic glitched right behind the Hylian before he could pull up the Master Sword, throwing him to the side and quickly grabbing ahold of the weapon that was about to hit Link.

The glitching blue hedgehog felt the familiar texture of the blade. He cannot quite remember it, but it was something he saw before. The thickness, the sharp edge, the Primary that was staring into his eyes. It could only be…

"Cloud Strife!?" Link asked, pulling out his Master Sword (the one he always had and not the one in the pedestal) and Hylian Shield. The Cloud Primary twirled his Buster Sword, pushing Sonic on the ground.

"Good to see you again… Link," Sephiroth's voice spoke from the Cloud Primary, proving it was the one-winged angel behind the possession of the 1st-class SOLDIER. "So you're here to stop Galeem's dirty work and let Dharkon rule supreme?"

"We're not here to let one or the other rule," Fox growled, pulling out his blaster and pointing it at the captured fighter. "They're both tyrants in our eyes that deserve to die!"

"And we're here to rescue our friends!" Link responded. "You pretty much have one of them, Sephiroth!"

"So… you want a fight?" the Cloud Primary asked, his Buster Sword scraping the stone floor laden with moss. "Well come and get it." Link dashed towards the Cloud Primary, the two swordfighters clashing swords with each other. While they began fighting, a vortex sucked the both of them into yet another stage, leaving Fox and Sonic to fight an incoming wave of Spaaks and Buckots flying overhead through a cloud of Shadow Bugs that formed above them.

"Shouldn't we let our friends know about this?" Sonic asked, standing back-to-back with Fox while igniting his fists in electricity.

"Nah, it's fine," Fox answered. "We can take care of these guys on our own. All we have to do is be like Falco and prefer the air." And that is what the two anthropomorphic fighters did. Fox ignited himself in flames and flew through the Buckots while Sonic zipped in-between the Spaaks until they became black puffs of smoke. All in all, it was a tame battle for the animal Smashers.


Link woke up next to a glowing-green building littered with pipes and large circuits surrounded on all sides by a city fueled by its sources. It was the Final Destination version of Midgar, and the Cloud Primary was ready to attack no matter what the cost. Link's boomerang clashed with the captured fighter's only projectile: a beam stemming from the Buster Sword. The Champion of Hyrule began dashing after the Cloud Primary, his Hylian Shield grinding against the huge weapon's blade. The captured fighter pushed Link until the Hylian was leaning backward. Link still would not back down as he tossed a blue remote bomb at the Cloud Primary's feet before detonating it with his Sheikah Slate, knocking the possessed ex-mercenary onto his behind.

By that time, the Cloud Primary had just charged his Limit Gauge to max, and he was ready to unleash a charged special, either one going to do massive knockback. Link suddenly knew the captured fighter's gauge was on a time limit of fifteen seconds before he can use it, so the Hylian quickly camped at the edge of the stage with arrows, boomerangs, and bombs to knock the Cloud Primary off-stage. Link ran off when he was just one second too late as the captured fighter used Limit Climhazard to boost himself back onto the Midgar stage and thrusted his Master Sword downward, hitting an easy spike the moment the Cloud Primary used his up-special. Now the explosion occurred in the blast zone of the stage, with Link emerging victorious.

A Spirit Sniper appeared in Link's hand as he found himself levitating in front of Cloud Strife's unconscious body protected by Sephiroth's Spirit.

"Try to get your friend back to his body now!" the Sephiroth Spirit snarled as he created the blue barrier that spinned faster than before, keeping in mind of the light burning away the background. "You had already broken so many rules of this world due to your rebellious attitude! Dharkon will rule supreme!" Once the Master Legendary Spirit finished, Link fired the special weapon through the barrier, hitting Cloud and saving his friend as well as Sephiroth who possessed him.


While all that was going on, Fox and Sonic had just taken care of the last Spaaks and Buckots, watching as the Shadow Bugs that created those monstrosities retreated from the small part of the temple. Fox grabbed ahold of Sonic and rubbed his head, with the blue hedgehog laughing in a carefree manner.

"Nice job, kid," Fox congratulated, letting go of Sonic as the glitching hedgehog adjusted his quills. "Even if you can't remember the last fraction of your past, you're certainly improving on those elemental powers of yours."

"Thanks, buddy," Sonic responded. "I just wish I could return to normal… and figure out what happened to me. I at least know I wasn't always like this…" The Star Fox mercenary patted the hedgehog's back, making the speedy devil feel a little better. The portal opened up in front of the Master Sword stuck in the stone, and Link emerged, carrying Cloud Strife's body on his shoulders. The shattered Dharkon Lock and Sephiroth Spirit emerged from the vortex, with the red mist restoring the last of Sonic's memories as it swirled around his mismatched eyes.

The blue hedgehog started remembering what happened ten years after the events of the Subspace Army, which included: his false visions of Hella, his travels around the world he was trapped in along with many other individuals, then dubbed Arcadia – the World of Trophies, the survival against the growing Subspace Army and a new race known as the Mii Fighters, who had quickly forgotten the events of what happened to their hideout and are led by the children of the Ultimates, and most importantly… what happened after he was one of the unfortunate souls to encounter Galeem and Dharkon and fall under their rule for another ten years, his Fighter Spirit banished to exile and later captured, tortured, and… ruined. As soon as the red mist left Sonic's face, he had finally managed to catch up to what is happening right now. All he had to do now was discard the glitch slowly devouring his body. Surely that would get rid of the Rainbolements he was cursed with… right?

Next to the Triforce, the fighters saw Cloud's Dharkon Lock and the Sephiroth Spirit float above them, entering inside Kirby and giving the pink demon another vision.


Kirby opened his golden eyes, looking down on his stubby arms that glowed with the rainbow aura surrounding his body. The bright sun flashed above him, forcing Kirby to shield his face from the blink light. As his vision adjusted, Kirby found out he was back at the Mii Fighter city surrounding Ginnungagap, the Pit of Ice and Fire. The alien boy noticed he was lying in front of the main hall, where the Mii Fighters and Shadow Bugs were carrying the remains of Galleom, with the bones, flesh, and organs staying intact. For the first time, these two sentient species set aside their differences and had decided to work together for what they believed was right.

"Finally," Ultima sighed as soon as she saw the two species carry Galleom's demolished body through the door. The Queen of Arcus was helping the Shadow Bugs and the Mii Fighters prepare for the fight against Galeem and his Master Hand army, and all the Miis that could not fight were forced to train until they learned how to handle a pair of fists, a sword, or an arm cannon, whether each weapon was of their choice or not. They laid the body of the last Heliotrope Titanoboa in existence on a large steel table, with parts of a strange body of armor gathered up into a pile next to the dead snake.

Ultima dug through the pile to find many different parts, and she used the Earth and Life Rainbolements to breathe some sort of spell on the armor to bring life back to Galleom. The Mii Fighters then arranged the suit of armor in a way that it was more simian than serpentine, and the Shadow Bugs preformed a special surgery to fuse Galleom's head and organs to the robotic body via wires. Once the two sides were finished, the suit powered on, and Galleom woke up as though he had been brought back to life. As Kirby had seen, the Heliotrope Titanoboa had been brought back into the simian cyborg he and his friends had faced before, who was starting to get used to the fact that he had additional limbs. Whatever scraps of the armor remained was salvaged into weapons for both Mii Fighters and Shadow Bugs.

"I guess I got Galleom out of the way," Ultima told the First Ultimates.

"Yeah, but the real problem is how he would stand up against your brother," the First Gunner Ultimate Reborn stated. "In order to defeat him, you would probably need some kind of superweapon. The raw power feeding him is anything stronger than our technology could go up against." The Queen of Arcus looked at the three cases that each of the stones were sealed in: the Hearts of Helio and Hycto and the Light of the First Star. That was when Ultima remembered something from her past.

"They will fall, and balance will be restored, but not by your fangs. Only through summoning the warriors of the past will our legacy be able to survive. All you need is the hearts of the planets in our solar system, the stones of darkness and light, and a gift from an all-powerful deity; combine them all into one and you can draw in fighters of many universes." That was what she remembered from the Queen of the Winged Unicorns. However, it was enough to persuade her what to do next.

"Ancient scriptures tell of combining powerful gems during when all of the planets in our solar system align," Ultima told the First Ultimates. "When's the next one?"

"Only two days away after a thousand years since the last one," the First Brawler Ultimate responded. "We were just going to celebrate the Mii Solstice by then. Why?" The Queen of Arcus sinisterly grinned with an idea burning in her head, an idea on how to win this fight.

"I'll be back by then," Ultima answered, spreading her wings. "Train Galleom and all of the other Mii Fighters until I return, okay?" Her spectrum wings began reflecting the sunlight beaming from the stain-glass windows, flashing in all colors of the rainbow. The scars on her eyes glowed too, an aura of gold and violet forming around her body. The Queen of Arcus dashed high into the air, passing through the building's roof like a ghost and flapping her wings fast enough to escape her home planet.

Her first destination was Ignisu, home of the Lava Blobs and the Fire Ruby. She landed on the rough, rocky surface of the planet and flew towards a nearby town made out of dirt huts. The dragoness approached the civilians and spoke with them to join her side in payment for their prized jewel for a ritual of the planetary alignment to stop Galeem's rule, speaking in a powerful speech. Shortly after, the Lava Blobs accepted her offer and gave her the Fire Ruby, and Ultima spawned portals to take them to Arcus before she flew off to the next planet.

When Ultima arrived on Chikuo, she was rather surprised at the orange sky on the jagged planet, with crystallized plants already sprouting and glass towers peaking out over the atmosphere. The dragoness approached the Crystal Sharkanoids and told them about the upcoming event, and they offered to give her the Earth Citrine for that.

On Raifujin, Ultima dashed towards the tower where the Thunder Heliodor and all of the empire's ancient technology was kept, knowing the robots that remained had long-forgotten their true purpose of the tyrannical rule. She found where the yellow gemstone was held and took it out of its container. She then broke open the cases where the ancient weapons were and dragged them all through the portals she created back to Arcus before she flew to another planet once more.

The Queen of Arcus arrived in Yangkatzu, scaling the colossal trees as she warned the Plant Wyverns that lived in them about the upcoming conflict. The message spread like wildfire, and their minister managed to give her the Life Emerald when he knew what Ultima had seen before they went to her planet. On Kukikaze, the Wind Amphitheres received the news about Galeem and gave Ultima the Air Topaz.

The dragoness dived in the deep waters and walked across the icy surface of Mizuku, telling the Ocean Mogogols and all of the creatures living underneath the cold sheets about what's to come. They agreed once they saw she had become royalty and offered to give her the Water Sapphire. Her last stop was at Majikku, where she barged into the tree where the Queen of the Winged Unicorns and her people resided. They were throwing some sort of celebration of anniversary for their leader's reign, with the satyrs dancing in rhythm while playing their flutes, the fairies strumming various instruments like harps and guitars, and other woodland creatures using strange and peculiar things as drums and such. When Ultima entered, she crashed the party and she gave them the urgent message of Galeem and his betrayal. Despite the Queen of Arcus interrupting their celebration, the citizens of Majikku were quickly forgiving once they heard the terrible news.

"I'm glad you have finally seen the future," the Queen of the Winged Unicorns telepathically spoke after giving Ultima the Magic Amethyst. "Now it is time for us to take up arms and fight by your side."

Once Ultima had managed to fly across the solar system for two days and convince all of the alien civilians to join her side, she transported both them and herself back to the hall in Ginnungagap. The Queen of Arcus met up with the First Ultimates outside, who were busy training Galleom and their Mii Fighter soldiers.

"You've arrived in time," the First Swordfighter Ultimate told the Queen of Arcus. "The sun is setting and the planets are about to align." The three Mii Fighter leaders handed Ultima the Hearts of Helio and Hycto as well as Adstrumlestibus, and she wasted no time snatching them from their hands and flying away from Ginnungagap.

Ultima arrived at the Cave of the Ancients with all the gemstones she had collected, and she headed to the stone table in the center of the huge cavern. The young and baby dragons gathered around, and Sozo was helping count each one of them to make sure none were missing or dead. Ultima laid out the stones she managed to collect. First, she placed the Core of the First Star in the center of the table. Then, Ultima laid out the Hearts of the Seraphim and the Rainbolement Jewels, unaware of what to do next.

"…If you need any help, just flip through this book," Sozo told Ultima, carrying a large book on his back. The book was old and dusty, but it was decorated with gold markings written under Ceresor's name. The Queen of Arcus laid it on a nearby pedestal and used telekinesis to flip through the pages until she found the spell to fuse powerful gems together. The writings were of foreign text, and all she had to do was surround Adstrumlestibus with the Fire Ruby, the Earth Citrine, the Thunder Heliodor, the Life Emerald, the Air Topaz, the Water Sapphire, and the Magic Amethyst and lift the Hearts of the Seraphim high enough in a way that they reflected the light of the stars into the large white core telekinetically. Ultima then watched as the planets she visited aligned in a perfectly straight line in the night sky, and the Hearts of Helio and Hycto gathered the lights from the cosmos and beamed them down upon the stones in rays of gold and violet. With precise reading, Ultima managed to translate the foreign reading and speak it out in the common tongue according to the spell.

Souls of the greatest angels

Hear our plead

Come to our aid

In our time of need

With the planetary alignment

Gather the light

Transfer it into the first star

Help us win this fight

Fuse with the stones

That give us their power

Create the ultimate stone

In this finest hour!

Once Ultima finished chanting, all the stones levitated in the air and swirled around each other, combining together into a big orb of light. Far away from the pit, at the floor the Queen of Arcus fell in, the statues of the fighters began flashing with golden-white eyes, feeling some sort of magic flow through them. The young dragons watched as the light calmed down, revealing a small, violet gemstone that gleamed with all the colors of the rainbow. Ultima watched as it slowly floated down to the stone table. Once it touched the gray slab, it appeared in a golden necklace exactly like the one Faker had. Surprised, Kirby coughed up the stone he swallowed and noticed how it was exactly identical to the one the amnesiac gave him. This stone really is something important after all. Finally, he knows, from the voice and everything, that Faker was once Ultima. As Kirby swallowed the gem he had again, he wondered: what happened to the dragoness if this all took place in the past…?

Ultima in the visions slipped the necklace on her, and she looked back at the dragonlings. She knew they were the last of their kind, and they needed to be taken somewhere safe. It was already bad enough when Phoenix turned insane.

"Sozo," Ultima asked, "is there a universe where these dragons can be safe?"

"There is one," Sozo answered. "It is a world far from the reaches of evil, in a place that Galeem has no knowledge of. They will be safe there. They may be able to alter through different chemistries and appearances, but they will be fine."

"Open the way," Ultima commanded. Sozo obeyed willingly and breathed out flames that curled up into a ring. An aura of light shone inside the ring, opening a gateway to the other world. Many of the dragonlings already went through to the other side, some carrying eggs. Josei and Ningyo were just about to walk through with the eggs of Glimmeress and Inkereign before Josei looked back at Ultima.

"What… What about you and Uncle Sozo?" Josei asked.

"Your mission in this world has been fulfilled," Ultima answered, rubbing her fore claw against the young dragoness' cheek. "Now it's time for the grown-ups to take care of our business. I hope you and your brother grow up into great leaders one day." Ningyo began whimpering with nasal whines after he dropped his puppet, and Ultima pushed the toy close to his feet, and the mentally retarded dragonling picked up the puppet with his mouth. Once Josei pushed the two eggs through the portal with all the others, she grabbed ahold of her brother and walked with him through the portal. As soon as all of the dragons in the cave left, the portal closed and only Sozo and Ultima remained.

"What we do, now that the dragonlings are gone?" Sozo asked.

"We fight," Ultima answered courageously. "We have all these different alien species by our side, and this - the Diamond of Universes – to lead them." Ultima clasped over the fused gemstone in front of her neck, feeling its raw power. "May the Almighty Father lead us to salvation."

The Smash Ball on Kirby's forehead flashed red again, and the environment around him became consumed by darkness. The pink puffball felt stiff again, and his vision was over for now.


The pink puffball woke up as soon as he began hearing the other fighters look at where the Cloud Primary was defeated, and they all ran up the stairs towards that spot. Kirby, aware of the situation, followed behind them.

Link was keeping Cloud's body upright after he had just rescued the 1st-class SOLDIER, with Sonic and Fox keeping watch for any more enemies. Cloud Strife slowly opened his eyes, his Mako-poisoned orbs flashing blue instead of the violet of Dharkon's control.

"…Link?" Cloud asked as soon as he saw the Champion of Hyrule holding him.

"Cloud!" Link cheerfully cried, hugging the 1st-class SOLDIER. Cloud Strife managed to sit up and get himself to stand, using the Master Sword's pedestal to balance himself. Fox McCloud and Sonic both ran to Cloud, hugging him tightly.

"We missed you so much, buddy!" Fox spoke.

"Glad to see you again!" Sonic remarked, glitching once he let go of Cloud. The 1st-class SOLDIER noticed the blue hedgehog acting rather peculiar, as though he was starting to fade from existence.

"What's wrong with him?" Cloud asked.

"Sonic has been infected with one of Dharkon's poisons," Link answered. "He also had amnesia, but we got that right back. However, that wasn't the problem. That glitch of his is linked to some sort of ancient power that's slowly destroying him, and we know that pulling out the Master Sword will cast away the darkness covering the top half of the Sacred Land as well as expel his curse."

"Basically… I'm running out of time," Sonic answered. Cloud Strife then turned around to look down at the Master Sword embedded in the pedestal, with Link standing by his side. The Hylian clothed in blue felt rather suspicious about this somehow.

"This… doesn't look right," Link said. "I have the true Master Sword here with me. There can't be another… unless this one can only be used to lead us the way to Ganondorf and free Sonic the Hedgehog from his curse. Should I do it?"

"You tell me," Cloud answered. "You are the Champion of Hyrule after all." Before Link was about to pull out the Master Sword, he backed away. The Hylian looked back at Sonic, watching as the blue blur was glitching his poor heart out.

"Sonic should do it," Link answered. "I know he's been waiting for this chance. Now it's time to give it to him…"

"M-M-M-M-Me?" Sonic asked, glitching between his sentence. "Okay. If it's what you want, it's what you get." The blue hedgehog approached the Master Sword stuck in the stone, grabbing the weapon by the handle and pulling it out. Once the blade ringed against the hole in the pedestal, rays of light shone in all directions from the Master Sword. The legendary weapon cast away all of the dark clouds covering the Sacred Realm, leaving a sky of morning dusk in its wake. Sonic groaned and cried for help as he succumbed to its mighty power. Fox, Cloud, and Link all ran up to Sonic, touching his back as a sign of asking if he was okay.

"C'mon, Sonic!" Fox spoke, noticing the hedgehog was in pain. "You need to drop the Master Sword…"

"I-I-I-I-I-I can't!" Sonic exclaimed, glitching as the handle of the Master Sword stuck to his hands like glue. "It won't let me go of it!" Sonic's mismatched irises shrunk with the pupils as the glitch inside him spiraled out of control, exiting out of his body and pulsing on his quill-covered skin. His hands literally absorbed the Master Sword, sparking up some sort of power. The three fighters who were with him backed away and drew their weapons for the creature they were about to see. Sonic began seeing scattered memories of what happened to him in the Dharkon Void, unable to get rid of this traumatic event out of his head.

Arise, my greatest warrior, Dharkon spoke in the hedgehog's mind. Sonic grasps his head as he felt a splitting headache and curled up on the floor. The transformation is finally complete. Do what you were born to do and destroy all under my name! Sonic's heart began beating faster, and sweat dripped down his face as his elbows transformed into blades of the Master Sword. Claws began sticking out from his white gloves, tearing through the fabric until his hands were exposed. A row of dragon teeth formed in Sonic's mouth, and his ears and tail became pointier and longer. Horns curled up on his forehead, and wings looking similar to a bat's sprouted on his back. For one, many were expecting Sonic's transformation to be his Werehog form, but he became a draconic version of himself instead.

"Your will is my command, Seraph of Chaos," Sonic growled, opening his eyes. His scars glowed brighter until his discolored orbs turned into something completely different: Dharkon's eye for the right side of his face and Galeem's eye for his left.

"Oh, dear mother of Gaia," Cloud gasped, pointing his Buster Sword at the new and improved Sonic the Dragonhog, who crouched on the stone ground and spread his wings.

"I don't know what the hell you are… but you are not Sonic!" Fox snarled, firing his blaster rapidly. The lasers burned through Sonic's skin, and the blue hedgehog growled as he grabbed ahold of Fox McCloud and soared off into the large part of the Temple of the Master Sword. Mario and the gang arrived up the stairs just in time to see what happened to Sonic.

"After him!" Link exclaimed, pulling out his Master Sword and Hylian Shield and dashing downward towards the Dragonhog. The other fighters were met with all the Mii Brawlers they rescued, who heard Fox's screams for help and followed the flying hedgehog.

Sonic, now having transformed into a half-dragon, tossed Fox into the large part of the temple. This specific area was vast enough for a final battle to take place between man and monster. As Fox got up, Sonic the Dragonhog flew right at his face. Fox tried blocking Sonic's punches with his strong legs, but he soon saw a ball of fire about to fly out of the blue hedgehog's carnivorous incisors. A bottle of holy water hit Sonic's head, which bounced off him before breaking on the floor and exploding into a pillar of flames.

"PK Fire! PK Fire! PK Fire!" Ness shouted, sending out one column of fire after the other, trapping the Dragonhog in a loop of burning. Fox was glad to see his friends and the Mii Brawlers join his side, ready to get their friend back again. Sieg and the Mii Brawlers charged after Sonic, piling up on him and punching the Dragonhog relentlessly. However, his eyes glowed fiercely and he pushed the Miis off his back, roaring as he blasted huge pillars of fire at the troops. There were many being burned alive, some murdered from his elbow blades. The ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn took note of this and began throwing bowling balls at the Dragonhog. Sonic's quills were as tough as iron when he curled up into a ball and began spindashing at the Mii Brawler, killing a few more of his people in the process.

The other Mii Fighters backed away when they knew what was going to happen to them, and Incineroar jumped in with a sumo slam. The Dragonhog flew out of the way from Mega Man's projectiles before he was caught by Incineroar's Alolan Whip move. The Pokémon threw Sonic into the sidelines of a wrestling ring, then charging headfirst into the corrupted Dragonhog. The transformed fighter ascended higher into the air, his bat-like wings creating a small hurricane around him. Thunder and hail rose from the icy winds he conjured, stunning more of the Mii Brawlers.

Snake began firing missiles at Sonic the Dragonhog, and Joker started shooting with his gun. A lead bullet nicked the tip of Sonic's ear, and the corrupted fighter looked down upon the Phantom Thief and mercenary. The Dragonhog then shot out a small flame which combusted into a large explosion, which killed off more Mii Brawlers. Joker and Snake got behind Ryu and Cloud, who kept their distance and spammed their projectiles. The Ice Climbers rode in on the back of the Pokémon Trainer's Charizard, and they were about to use their forward aerial until the Dragonhog simply swatted them away with his elongated tail. The Hero got up to Joker's side and began casting thunder, fire, and ice spells at the Dragonhog, with Kazooie flying as hard as she could to carry Banjo in front of her.

"Onward, Kazooie!" Banjo called out. The bear guided the Breegull towards the flying Dragonhog, who sent out a barrage of large hail at the duo. They were just about to get hit until PAC-MAN, the Duck Hunt team, and the ex-Ultimate Reborn used their neutral specials to distract the Dragonhog. This gave Kazooie a chance to cough up Blue Eggs at Sonic's face, and the draconic hedgehog fell to the ground. Captain Falcon and the Inkling began rapidly jabbing the Dragonhog before they were knocked back by his electrocuting body, with the two Zeldas and the three Links sending out their projectiles. Despite breathing out a wall of fire, Sonic the Dragonhog couldn't hold back Mario, who managed to control the rising flames and guide them back to the corrupted fighter. With his face burned, Sonic was susceptible to Fox, who jumped in front of him and winded up a powerful kick. For a brief moment, Sonic's eyes reverted back to normal… or the most normal he could get them with the violet and golden irises he had.

Fox…? Sonic thought before Fox kicked him in the face, knocking out the blades from the Dragonhog's elbows. The blades fused back together into the Master Sword, and Sonic's glitch leaked out with the mercury from the holes in the Dragonhog's elbows, spontaneously combusting once they were freed from Sonic's body. The draconic hedgehog clenched his stomach as a bright light surrounded his body, transforming him back to the way he was.

Once the light calmed down, some of the fighters gathered around Sonic's normal body while others helped Sieg attend to the surviving Mii Brawlers.

"Ugh… what happened?" Sonic asked, slowly getting up. As he placed his hand on his head, he felt the sharp claws still in his fingers dig through his quills. He quickly took them out shortly after the pain, and he looked at his friends in worry. After the glitch had been lifted by the Master Sword's blessing, the only things that remained of Sonic's dragon form were of his claws and fangs, both of which had shrunk a tad bit so he still looked like his original form. The blue hedgehog looked down at his shredded gloves, his heart trembling for what he did.

"What have I done?" Sonic whispered to himself as he looked at what he did to the Mii Brawlers. Mario, wanting to comfort the blue hedgehog, slowly approaching the speedy devil.

"Mario, please," Sonic cried. "I want you to stay away from me! I'm too dangerous!" A charged blast sparked out from his bare palms, and Mario quickly jumped out of the way in time. The blast covered up a good portion of the ground, which separated into seven elements, each with a different Rainbolement lingering behind. Terrified by this, Sonic quickly ran away at the speed of sound towards the nearest Sheikah Tower, which was right near the large area of the temple.

"Wait!" Mario called out, wanting to run towards the blue hedgehog before Fox stopped him. The anthropomorphic mercenary placed a hand on the red plumber's chest.

"I'll go talk to him," Fox sighed. The Star Fox mercenary ran towards the Sheikah Tower that Sonic went off to, even though he was slower than the blue hedgehog.


As time had passed, Fox McCloud climbed up to the top of the tower, confident he would find Sonic there.

"Sonic?" he asked, his eyes searching around the place. He then climbed up as soon as he saw Sonic the Hedgehog simply sitting on the railing of the Sheikah Tower, using his magical abilities to repair his white gloves. After they were completed, Sonic looked behind him without turning his head, sighing in defeat.

"Can't you tell I don't wanna talk right now?" Sonic softly asked.

"Sonic… I know what exactly happened wasn't your fault, and we're with you on that," Fox responded, slowly approaching the blue hedgehog.

"It's not as simple as you would think," Sonic said, still not looking at Fox. "It's… it's what Dharkon did to me. I know this is partially Galeem's fault, but Dharkon is the one to blame for all this."

"I probably won't count it as bad luck," Fox replied, climbing over the rail and sitting on Sonic's right. "You are hailed as a hero back in your homeworld, before it was destroyed by light and everything. People and animals refer to you as the fastest thing alive, and there are no other creatures in the multiverse that can reach up these top speeds. Now I guess you're enhanced by the soul of a Dragosmo. Bring it your planet and they'll look up to you as a god. It might not be so bad after all." Sonic, however, did not take that response lightly.

"But what if it's too much to handle being a god?" Sonic asked, looking Fox in the eye. "Do you think this is why Dharkon handed me these Rainbolements on a silver platter? For me to become as corrupt and domineering as those two brothers? Sooner or later, they're going to be in a war that involves all of us. And it doesn't matter which side wins. In the end, we all lose. Either Galeem or Dharkon will make me their most powerful guard, and I'll probably kill you all just like I almost did before."

"Sonic…" Fox wanted the blue speedster to stop talking.

"And even if we do win and we finally return home, no one's gonna recognize me the same. Even if I have some sort of cloaking device to hide my scars and powers, my friends will eventually recognize me and think I no longer have a use for them. I'll be left alone because my life is ruined from these powers and I'll turn as insane as those two dragons and-"

"Sonic!" Fox yelled, grabbing Sonic's shoulders and shutting him up. "Powers or no powers, you're still our friend. Even if your old ones leave you behind because they believe they're no longer special to you, we will still look after you no matter what the cost. These powers may be permanent and irreversible, but know that we're here for you till the end. Sooner or later, you'll have to get used to these new abilities. If there's anything I've learned from my father's death or even your escape from the Arcadian Hands, it's always expect the unexpected. We're all unique, but we're also the same."

"I… don't know what that means," Sonic scoffed, adjusting the quills on the back of his head.

"You will in time," Fox answered, hopping off the rails and landing inside the Sheikah Tower. Sonic landed on the stone floor shortly after, looking back at Fox McCloud. Fox held Sonic's chin, looking into those mismatched eyes of violet and gold that were filled with guilt.

"You're gonna be okay, kid," Fox told the hedgehog. "You'll make it through." Their black noses brushed lightly against each other, tickling a bit before the blue hedgehog hugged the older one of the two, staying up there for quite a while for Sonic to adjust to what happened to him, or at least until they decided to climb down the Sheikah Tower.


"I calmed the hedgehog down," Fox told his friends. "Hopefully he can use his powers to our advantage."

"Where did the Mii Brawlers go?" Sonic asked, wondering how all of the Mii Fighters except for Sieg vanished all of a sudden.

"They headed back to the Undying Light," the ex-Ultimate Reborn answered. "Due to many of them receiving several injuries, they had to leave the Sacred Land. Kirby gave his device away with a map to lead them to the ship. Hopefully they reunite with the Swordfighters and Gunners safely."

"Now that all this is out of the way, it's time to travel to the Gerudo Valley, save Ganondorf, and complete the Triforce," Sheik spoke, pointing to the highlands of the Black Desert as the large sun rose over the sandy horizon.

Chapter 69: The Gerudo Town

Summary:

After saving themselves from the heat of the desert sun, the fighters enter the Gerudo Town, by which they are reluctant enough on saving their economy from another Primary.

Chapter Text

The sun that rose in the Gerudo Desert was much larger and dimmer than expected, only taking up a quarter of the sky with as much as an eighth of the average brightness. However, the top portion of the Sacred Land was scalding hot. The sand the fighters walked through burned their feet with blisters, and their backs became swollen with sunburns even with their clothes on to protect them.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Marth, Young Link, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Sonic, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, PAC-MAN, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, Inkling, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Mii Brawler were losing a lot of water within their heavy sweating and needed to drink fast. Red's Squirtle and Sonic tried to create gushes of water as fast as they could to splash it on the Smashers, but they simply evaporated under the intense heat no matter how cold, even if Sonic would drop the water to absolute zero.

Olimar's helmet was fogging up with the sweat and water vaporizing from his breath, and not even one of the Fire Pikmin he brought along could stand the heat. Mr. Game & Watch was the first one to collapse under the burning sun, planting his monochromatic face in the rough, dry sand. Ness pulled off one of his shoes and hopped in place as he tried hitting the sand out of his shoes, and most of the fighters were just about to give up and roast in the desert like an overcooked salmon.

Sonic was the first one to go under a heat stroke, trying to keep himself together as he crouched and began to cool himself with his breath. Even if his gaze was away from the large sun, he could still feel the intense heat burning his quills and digging straight to the skin on his back. He thought he could already feel his pores about to squelch with boiling juices at this point.

"I can't take it anymore!" Sonic cried out, kicking the sand. "This journey is just too much for me to take in! I'm burning alive here!"

"Don't you think we all know how it feels?" Mario asked. "We're trying to search for the Gerudo Town and rescue Ganondorf. You could at least calm down."

"Calm down? Calm down!?" Sonic exclaimed. "Look around you! We're stranded in the middle of nowhere because of your broken compass!"

"People, please," Zelda responded. "There has to be a way around this besides fighting…"

"Sonic, we're tired and thirsty," Mario objected. "Too bad if your water powers don't work under this heat. The least you can do is suck it up."

"Oh, so you think we should just hold hands and live for the better!?" Sonic argued. "Well, it's not gonna work, buddy! We're gonna fry in the desert until we become burnt lumps of coal!"

"Mario! Sonic! Stop this arguing right now!" Shulk told them, getting between the two short fighters and breaking up the fight. "We've found an inn. We can refresh ourselves there."

"Beat it, blondie," Sonic growled, exposing his dragon fangs through his snarl. "It's only a mirage."

"No, really," Cloud answered, pointing to where he sees the inn. "Shulk has found a resting spot." The fighters looked not far off into the distance to see a desert inn, surprised it was only a few meters away from them. It was salvation for them at last as they headed to the building, glad that they did not die out in the sandy wasteland.

When they entered the place, they heard the ancient music of the Gerudo play throughout the inn. There were many Spirits hanging out in the building, especially some of the lovely Gerudo themselves. About to thirst to death, the group headed to the bar counter where the Gerudo bartender was serving up ice-cold drinks for refreshments. Unlike normal water, this kind of drink did not boil and evaporate under the sun's intense heat, meaning there must be some kind of enchantment cast over these beverages. As soon as the Gerudo bartender saw the tired travelers free from Dharkon's control, she instantly knew what they need. Mario grabbed a small bag of Spirit Points and plumped them on the counter, pushing it towards her with dry gasping.

"You parched goonies," the Gerudo bartender noticed. "I know just what you need to fix you up. And don't worry. It's 100% off for weary travelers like yourselves, so you can keep those Spirit Points." The bartender began pouring this magical water into different cups and passing each one to the fighters. It wasn't long before most of the Smashers began chugging down the drinks, satisfied as they say down to finish their cold cups.

Fox McCloud was about to take another sip from his drink until he saw Sonic the Hedgehog sitting at the bar table, isolated as he simply took a small sip from his water and laid it on the counter. The Star Fox mercenary approached the blue hedgehog, noticing how the speedster was no longer glitching thanks to the Master Sword of the Sacred Realm.

"Is something wrong, Sonic?" Fox asked, sitting next to the hedgehog.

"Nothing…" Sonic responded. "I... wanted to believe these Rainbolements aren't irreversible, but I'm clearly having a hard time adjusting. Half of them I don't even know how to use." Fox pushed his drink aside, thinking about how to take care of the teenage hedgehog.

"You've already got the tool essentials: your homing attack, your spin-dashing, your spring, your fast 0-to-death combos," Fox pointed out, counting his fingers. "Hell, I've got some myself. For reasons unknown, I can light up my body in flames to give me a higher air boost."

"Your fiery jumps are clearly inherited, and anybody in the Lylat System doesn't have those quite like you, Falco, and even Wolf O' Donnell," Sonic noted. "I can clearly create electrical static - not counting the Thunder Rainbolement - naturally whenever a negative influence in my memories and emotions spark up, and I can even stop time. I've been testing them ever since I grew up on another planet. The Rainbolements themselves were given to me against my will, not giving me days or even years to adjust to them. During those five years I was supposed to be training with them, Dharkon let my to hang like a butchered pig while the mixture he created changed me into... what you see today."

"...I can help you use these powers for the better," Fox told the blue hedgehog. "I may not know a whole lot about how the Dragosmos used to train, but I will teach you to the best of my ability. Just let me know you will always be by my side, no matter what." Sonic hugged the Star Fox mercenary, his face nuzzling deep into his chest.

"I won't let you down," Sonic responded.

"Uh, excuse-a me," Mario called out to the Gerudo bartender. "Is there a way to get to Gerudo Town?" The bartender turned around as she was cleaning a glass with a hand towel.

"Of course," the bartender answered. "It's just behind where you're facing the entrance of this inn. It's not too far off. Be careful on your way out." The red plumber then got of his seat and headed straight out of the way he and his friends came in, grabbing a few more of those enchanted drinks.

"Let's-a go," Mario told his group, patting Link on the back. The Champion of Hyrule got up from his seat and followed Mario out of the inn. Fox and Sonic saw the two mascots walk out and headed out, along with all the other fighters. After they entered outside, they went behind the inn to see the large walls surrounding the town of the women of the Black Desert. They made their way to the grand entrance, which had beautiful tapestries hanging inside the gate. Standing by the sides were tough-looking Gerudo Spirits who stood about seven feet tall, their veils covering their faces. They were holding partisans by their waists, and they pointed those weapons at the Smashers before they set foot in the gate.

"Halt, intruders," one guard spoke. "What brings you here?"

"We're here to talk to your leader," Zelda answered. "This is an issue concerning Ganondorf."

"Ganondorf… the traitor of the Gerudo," the other guard said, lowering her partisan. "Of course. Make sure it's urgent."

"Can do," Zero Suit Samus responded. "Are there any restrictions?"

"There are a few," one guard answered. "Even if we allow all species through our borders, we can only bring in vai, or females in our town. Any voe, or man, that enters Gerudo Town is captured and thrown out."

"Why?" Snake asked.

"Don't ask us," the second guard revoked. "We didn't make the rules. Plus, now that the darkness has been lifted from the Sacred Land, our desert is rising in degrees, and our payment for modified water has increased drastically, so everything seems more expensive after… the gold in our chieftess' vault has vanished. If you can get through the gate, then I hope you investigate. They could also be tied with the one you call Ganondorf."

"Sorry, Banjo," Kazooie told the bipedal bear, flying out from his backpack past the gate. Zero Suit Samus walked beyond the Gerudo guards, and Zelda was just about to take Sheik with her before the two were stopped by the partisans.

"Despite appearances, I'm actually a vai," Sheik objected. "If you like, I can show you-"

"No. It's fine," the Gerudo guards responded, lifting up their weapons and letting the two girls pass. The Inkling also went through, and so did Nana and the Wii Fit Trainer. The rest of the fighters couldn't go through.

"We'll meet up with you guys at the temple where the chieftess is… I hope," Zelda told the Smashers before she and the female fighters walked off into the town.

"This is ridiculous," Sonic sighed as he and his friends walked away from the gate. "We can't even go through because we're all boys. How do we get through the town…?"

"Maybe use you voodoo magic to turn us into the opposite sex?" Mega Man asked. "You're probably fused with the ghost of a dragon, so you can come up with something."

"Hey! I haven't gotten that far yet," Sonic answered. "There are so many limits I have no idea I can go to, and turning us into women is one of the many tricks I haven't learned so far." The blue hedgehog then managed to spot a large boulder hidden from the eyes of the Gerudo guards. This gave him an idea to make sure the women of the desert weren't suspicious.

"Follow me," Sonic told his buddies as he went behind the rock. The fighters followed behind the boulder, ready to find out what Sonic had in plan for them. The blue hedgehog popped his knuckles, ready to work his magic.

"I may not be able to turn us into girls… but I can make us some clothes to fool these women," Sonic told them, sparkles lingering from his hands as he was ready to use his newfound powers again.

"You're gonna make us as how I appeared when I dressed up to get into the town?" Link asked, aware of the upcoming situation. Before Sonic could answer, he unleashed a sparkling cloud on the ground, which created belly-dancer outfits that replaced their original clothes. Link appeared in his Gerudo outfit, and everybody else noticed they were dressed in the same dresses the Champion of Hyrule was wearing.

"Geez… why does shit always happen to me…?" Sonic asked with exhaustion. As soon as the sparkling cloud vanished, the fighters saw what appeared to be Sonic, except he was dressed in pink belly-dancer clothing with golden markings, high heels that replaced his usual red shoes, and a magenta-colored hairstyle that mimicked the Gerudo flawlessly while lacking the veil everyone else had. Plus, the blue hedgehog had violet eye shadow, mascara, golden earrings, and blue lip gloss.

"I… feel uncomfortable," Sonic groaned, unable to move in the new clothes he conjured upon himself. Some of the fighters were rather shocked by what the speedster was wearing, trying to hide their expressions behind their veils.

"Okay… I really don't have to say this…" Fox sighed, taking deep breaths as he covered his face with his hands. "You look adorable in that outfit!" The other Smashers agreed with the Star Fox mercenary, thinking the blue hedgehog was rather cute.

"Shut up, guys!" Sonic lashed, his cheeks shown to be burning red as he was embarrassed. "I feel more like a response to fanservice!"

"At least be glad it's not a time like when Kazooie and I got fat," Banjo responded. The other fighters looked at the anthropomorphic bear, confused and weirded out, not wanting to hear about that again.

"Regardless, I suppose we should go through the town and hope none of the Gerudo see through our disguises and throw us out…" the Mii Brawler told them. "Besides, I think we can handle the desert heat in these dresses." The fighters nodded in agreement and headed towards the gate, hoping the guards didn't notice them go behind the boulder and crossdress. The guards pointed their partisans at the dressed-up fighters again. Their expressions changed from serious to flustered in just a few seconds.

"Oh… sweet mother of Lanayru," one Gerudo guard squealed. "Aren't you just the precious-looking things!? And you've nailed the traditional looks of the Gerudo flawlessly! Especially you, pink one!" The guard was referencing Sonic when she saw how kawaii the blue hedgehog looked.

"You clearly look like one of the many voe we kidnap to be our true loves and occasionally tie them up, gag them, and dress them up until they're completely dolled up! I still have my husband locked up in my hut."

"Okeydokey…" Mario responded in a higher voice, he and his pals slowly walking past the gate to the town. "I suppose we'll just enter then…"

"It's alright!" another guard responded, giggling while blushing madly. "We're totally not going to be suspicious of you and admit you're voe in disguise." Filled with confusion, the Smashers made it past the gate to the large town of the Gerudo. There were many more Spirits like the Gerudo, with many at street markets, training dojos, schools about the opposite gender, and spas.

"And I thought dressing up like a girl to rescue my girlfriend Tifa was ridiculous," Cloud sighed, adjusting his veil before he walked up to one of the Gerudo in the town.

"Excuse me," Cloud asked. "Do you know where we can find your chieftess?"

"Oh. It's just straight ahead on the path you're on, at the large palace," the Gerudo answered as she tried to balance the vase on her head. "Funny. A group of vai from different species came by and asked me the same thing."

"Zero Suit Samus and the others could already be at the palace," the Pokémon Trainer told the disguised group. "Let's head over there immediately." Red already ran off towards the large building in the center of the town, believing it to be the palace of the chieftess. The other Smashers followed after him, and Sonic was just about to follow them, trying to adjust to his high heels. The blue hedgehog then started hearing voices… eerie, disturbing voices. Sonic looked behind him and saw a familiar face. One that truly killed him years ago.

The other Gerudo Spirits didn't notice that the Master Legendary Mephiles was standing in the middle of the dusty street. The crystalline hedgehog simply stood there menacingly, staring at Sonic, which made the speedy devil more uncomfortable. His green slit eyes fixated on the blue hedgehog as a sign that something terrible was about to happen, but Sonic had no idea what. As another Gerudo Spirit passed by in front of him, Mephiles simply vanished without a trace.

"Sonic!" Fox called out. The blue hedgehog snapped out of it as soon as he heard the mercenary's voice, dashing after his friends as fast as he could. At the foot of the palace near the large stairs, the fighters managed to meet up with Zero Suit Samus, Nana, Kazooie, Inkling, Wii Fit Trainer, Zelda, and Sheik.

"We're here, girls," Little Mac said as Kazooie flew into Banjo's backpack and Nana hugged Popo.

"Where did you get these clothes?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked as she noticed the male fighters cross-dressing.

"Sonic made them for us," Shulk answered. "We're hoping we can get to the palace and try to ask the chieftess what's going on."

"I don't know," Sonic answered as he walked up the stairs next to the guards. "We just got past those guards at the gate thanks to pure dumb luck. There's no way the Gerudo are going to let anyone into the palace, especially when it's a major situation." As soon as he finished, the Gerudo guards saw him and squealed with excitement, dropping their partisans and hugging the dressed blue hedgehog tightly.

"You are just the most adorable thing!" one Gerudo guard cried, petting Sonic's head of dyed quills stylized into a traditional hairstyle. While Sonic struggled with the guards ironically cuddling him like a stuffed animal, the rest of the fighters ran into the palace.

"Nice work, Sonic," Chrom congratulated as they left. "You keep the guards busy while we talk to the chieftess." Once the other fighters went deeper into the palace, Sonic's eyes widened with fear as he saw more guards fall under his cute outfit and ran towards him to cuddle him.

"Goddammit," Sonic sighed, gritting his teeth and preparing for the worst.

Inside the palace, the group looked around to see if they could find the throne room, and there were more of the Gerudo tribe simply placed under watchful eye of each entrance individually.

"This is terrible," a voice spoke from the room guarded by two Gerudo Spirits. Normally, each other room was guarded by one.

"First, the sun is melting most of our structures, forcing us to increase our taxes, now all our hard-earned treasure has gone missing and our economy will collapse!" the voice continued. The Smashers entered the throne room to see the Master Ace Riju Spirit sitting on her throne surrounded by her peers.

"Your Highness, please," one of the Gerudo servants told her. "Surely all this has to be the Ganondorf Primary's fault…"

"I know who stole our treasure, and it's not the Ganondorf Primary," Riju objected. "Voe are outlawed in our town for our king's disappearance, and it was neither voe nor vai. I saw it with my own eyes." The chieftess Spirit then noticed the fighters enter into the throne room without her permission, and they were instantly surrounded by her guards.

"What's the meaning of this?" Riju asked.

"We've overheard your conversation and would like to do something about it," Zero Suit Samus answered. "If you can give us some insights, perhaps we might restore your tribe to its former glory."

"And how would you do that?" the chieftess of the Gerudo Spirits questioned.

"We simply retrieve your gold and rescue Ganondorf," Sheik answered. "After all, he is our friend…" The peers and the guards gasped when they heard the Sheikah mention the King of the Black Desert is now their ally.

"Any friend of the Gerudo King is an enemy of the Gerudo Tribe!" Riju snapped.

"If you would at best listen, Ganondorf has changed," Zelda objected. "He's on our side now, and would do anything to defeat both Galeem and Dharkon. Ganondorf will help us bring balance to all our universes and bring you vai back to your real Hyrule. All we need is for your guidance." The chieftess Spirit raised her hand, alerting her guards to stand down.

"Okay," Riju sighed. "You've convinced me. Far north, at the edge of the Sacred Land, there is a labyrinth where a genderless genie thrives, holding our gold and our most prized treasure, the Thunder Helm, in its possession. Capture it in a lamp found in the maze, and I will give you the whereabouts of the Ganondorf Primary. There are dangerous traps in each turn, with the Subspace Army and the Yiga Clan also ready to strike. The labyrinth is fairly easy if you memorize the way through to the other side, but… beware of the one possessed by the Portal Master of mischief and deceit." The fighters then genuflected, ready for their new mission.

"We won't let you down, Your Highness," Popo spoke as the Smashers left the throne room. The team then met Sonic outside, who was surrounded by cuddling Gerudo guards.

"Hey, it's my turn to hold her," one Gerudo guard told the vai who was holding the disguised blue hedgehog.

"This animal's mine, and I wanna keep her and hold her forever!" the guard that was cuddling Sonic objected, pinching his furry cheeks.

"Well, the rodent's mine!" another guard snapped. "There's nothing you can do about it!"

"Ladies, please," Sonic stammered. "I'm already getting sick of being treated like some kind of doll…" The guards, driven mad by the kawaii speedster, began fighting over who wanted him more. The blue hedgehog slowly crawled towards the entrance of the palace where he met up with Mario, Link, and the rest of his pals.

"I guess looks can be deceiving," Sonic spoke as he watched the group of Gerudo guards continue fighting over who wanted the blue hedgehog more in a cloud of dust. "So what's the plan?"

"We head to the labyrinth high up north," Mario answered, checking the compass on his device. "If we hurry, the faster we can rescue Ganondorf from Dharkon." The fighters then ran out of the town, leaving the guards fighting. However, while no one was looking, the Mephiles Spirit simply walked up the stairs without moving his legs, using the catfight of Gerudo to his advantage as he simply disappeared behind the palace entrance. Just then, a Normal Novice Spirit which appeared to be the captain of the guards showed up next to the fighting warriors.

"Did I say you could leave your posts just to brawl it out over stupid girly nonsense!?" the captain asked. The Gerudo guards instantly stopped fighting, picked up their partisans, and stood upright. "You are Gerudo, the fiercest of vai and the scourge of voe foolish enough to enter the desert! You know that attacking one another can lead to serious penalties of community service."

"Yes, Tanauga," the Gerudo Spirits responded, their heads hanging low.

"Don't feel sorry and get back to your posts," Tanauga responded, walking back into the palace. "Ever since the genie stole the Thunder Helm, guard security has been a major safety. You're risking the lives of our tribe if you think you're foolish enough to fall for the stupidest of things." As soon as the captain of the guards disappeared, the Gerudo got back to their posts.

"I was so obsessed over the adorable blue rodent that I forgot who we were guarding the palace from," one guard spoke, her face red with embarrassment. "I wonder how long we were away from our posts…" The guards then looked at each other in worry. Worry that they had moved far enough for someone to enter the palace.

"Shit…" another Gerudo guard whispered underneath her breath as soon as she remembered who went past them.

Chapter 70: The Labyrinth

Summary:

As the fighters travel through a massive cave and avoid every danger, they come across the shadow of a greater evil founded by a certain troublemaker native to the Skylands.

Chapter Text

After leaving the Gerudo Town, the fighters made their way through the rocky desert up north. While they were traveling through the sands, plenty of Dharkon's Supporters, Dark Puppets, and Subspace creatures appeared just to stop them.

"We can take them down easy-peasy," Mario told his friends.

"And Kazooie and I can play some music to lighten the mood!" Banjo told his companions, the bear and Breegull pulling out a banjo and a kazoo.

"You brought these instruments along?" Marth asked.

"Why do you think they call us Banjo & Kazooie?" Kazooie asked, tooting her kazoo. Banjo then played his instrument as he traveled through the desert to the labyrinth, he and his bird partner recreating the Gerudo Valley theme.

"Adventure is waiting for us! Forward!" Banjo called out. The anthropomorphic bear-and-bird didn't pay mind to the servants of darkness that lunged towards them, with both Marth and Ireburn hopping in front of them and slashing through the Subspace creatures and puppets, the rescued Spirits entering inside Kirby's body. Sieg slammed headfirst into the ground and knocked back most of the dark warriors, and Clementine knocked out the rest with her Splat Bomb.

Mario and Sonic managed to create fireballs that struck Cymuls in the air, and Joker simply shot his gun at the charging Glunders. Incineroar and Donkey Kong both rammed into the Armanks, with Fox and Zero Suit Samus firing their blasters at the hiding Octorocks. As soon as Banjo & Kazooie finished playing their instruments, untouched by the enemies, they gazed in wonder at the large cave in front of them. The fighters stopped and admired the entrance to the labyrinth in front of them, noticing the rims were carved with markings of the Yiga Clan.

"You ready to fight against the Demon King, guys?" Link asked, pulling out his Master Sword and Hylian Shield through his Gerudo outfit.

"Ready," Sonic answered.

"Ready," the other fighters that could talk responded after the blue hedgehog. The Smashers then entered into the labyrinth, ready to find the genderless genie.

When the fighters got through, they recognized, according to the twisty path that spiraled lower, that there really was a maze. In each dead end of the labyrinth, there were always deadly Subspace monsters and assassins from the Yiga Clan, believing them to be sneaky as the crouched when they could simply be spotted from above. From what they could tell, the fighters noticed the walls of the labyrinth were constantly changing.

"This is a deadly maze?" Sonic asked. "I can simply jump from here to the other side lemon-squeezy."

"Maybe for you," Cloud objected. "Most of us don't have superpowers like you."

"I'm with the juvenile delinquent on jumping to the other side," Fox answered. "From what I've learned, Sonic's natural powers are fueled by his emotions, so different emotions could power up different elementals. Fire is obviously powered by rage and anger, and I've heard the kid's usually a hothead."

"So what do I use with fire?" Sonic asked. "Use it as a jetpack to float to the other side of the labyrinth?"

"Pretty much," Fox answered. "When I'm in a situation and I need to use my fire boost to escape, I usually think of the terrible things my mortal enemy Andross did. Hopefully you can think of something…" The blue dolled-up hedgehog stood at the edge, taking deep breaths as he stood over the towering height. Sonic then started remembering terrible events where he was almost defeated, and even killed. He remembered the situations where some of his friends were kidnapped and thousands of millions of lives were being risked. The blue hedgehog started to remember getting up and fighting back for what was right for the planet, and a small smirk beamed on his face as flames circled around his scars and irises, spiraling down to his hands and feet.

The blue hedgehog then took a massive leap, no longer having fear in his eyes. Blasts of fire accelerated Sonic into the air, burning most of the Subspace creatures and Yiga troops waiting down below. The speedy devil safely landed on the other side of the labyrinth, cooling down his blue finger-nail painted hands by waving them rapidly. Sonic waved at his companions, who were just trying to get down by climbing over the changing walls.

"Wish Lady Palutena was here so I don't have to walk over walls like a mortal," Pit groaned, adjusting his slippers as he balanced himself on the shifting walls with his flapping wings. The other Smashers were doing their best to climb over the top of the labyrinth and jump over the gaps.

"Sephiroth's Spirit said we're constantly breaking the rules," Link responded, using his Master Sword to pole-vault over. "Surely it won't hurt to cheat a bit more." Mario used jets of fire from his hands and feet to head over to the other side as he scorched the ambushing enemies from below, and Fox simply ran over the walls and gaps like an anime character blended with an athletic. Olimar's Pikmin tackled the Subspace creatures and Yiga troops and climbed back up to meet up with the Hocotate captain, and Kirby simply floated over as he puffed up with air and waved his stubby arms to guide him to the other side.

The fighters that glided over like Banjo & Kazooie and Joker with Arsene made it to the end first, while the teammates that went the hard way of jumping over gap after gap arrived last. Regardless, they all made it across.

"When will they learn that we have ways around our problems?" Sonic asked, brushing his pink hairstyle with his fingers.

"Sometimes we can't simply cheat our way through this," Ireburn replied. "Our enemies might see this as unfair and try to bring us down…" Next to the group was a straight pathway to the area where it was believed that the genderless genie is holding the Gerudo gold. As Joker walked into the path, his foot stubbed against something metallic. The Phantom Thief put on his mask and recalled Arsene as he looked down on the golden object that caught him off-guard. Joker quickly dug up the golden object to find it is nothing more than an oil lamp.

"Hey, guys!" Joker called out. "Look at this! Look at this damn ugly bong."

"It's not a bong," Cloud Strife sighed, taking the lamp. "It's a lamp. One designed for trapping genies. As long as you say the genie's name, you can trap it here as long as the lamp itself is empty." Cloud then noticed some strange fingerprints on the lamp, which were visible from the faint glow in his Mako-infected eyes. The fingerprints were rubbed out and tainted with sand, obvious that someone had already used the lamp to free the genie from its prison and wish it to cause mischief upon the Gerudo Spirits.

"Well, we got the lamp like Riju said," Ryu said. "Let's just continue down the road and hope we meet up with this genie…"

"Yeah… if we can figure out what the genie's name is…" Sonic responded, tapping his chin while thinking. Suddenly, as the fighters went down the path, the blue hedgehog saw a cannonball emerging from the darkness without warning, heading straight for Fox McCloud.

"Fox! Look out!" Sonic yelled, dashing towards the Star Fox mercenary. The speedster created a reflecting shield right in front of himself and his pal, reflecting the cannonball back at the captured fighter who shot it. The other Smashers saw this too and got their weapons ready as the cannonball hit Dharkon's servant.

"Ow! Ow! Oh, geez! You pathetic humans never play fair, do you!?" a strange voice came from the darkness. The familiar sound of the Koopa Clown Car's motor blades could be heard kicking up the sand as the Bowser Jr. Primary emerged, holding his eye.

"Can it, wimp," Zero Suit Samus said. "And just who do you think you are?"

"Who am I?" the Bowser Jr. Primary asked. "Who am I? You mortals clearly haven't heard of the all-powerful Kaos, the greatest of all Portal Masters in Skylands and the one true lord of... the SECOND lord of darkness!" The Bowser Jr. Primary suddenly noticed the lamp in Cloud's hands.

"That's my lamp!" the captured fighter shouted. "I used it to summon the genie and steal all that gold! Give it to me!"

"No," Cloud answered with a stern voice, attaching the lamp to his waist.

"Very well then," the Primary spoke. "I suppose I'll just have to pick someone to fight while you deal with my… distraction. I choose eeny… meeny… miney… YOU!" As soon as the Bowser Jr. Primary pointed at Banjo & Kazooie, the pink slime Joker came across before in the Sky Temple landed on the bear's face.

"Get it off! Get it off!" Banjo cried, struggling as he tried to pull the slime off his face while Kazooie constantly poked at the mysterious creature. Mario attempted on holding Banjo in place as Kazooie was beginning to rip off the pink slime, and Sonic was about ready to burn the strange mass. Before either one of the fighters could do anything, Banjo ripped the pink slime straight off his face, shaking his head as the peculiar ooze landed in the sand, beginning to bubble. The Bowser Jr. Primary then grabbed ahold of Banjo and squeezed Kazooie's neck to avoid her from flying away.

"Let's see how you can handle this new toy I found!" the captured fighter called out. The pink slime then started changing shape, with static electricity spiraling throughout its semi-transparent body as it twisted.

"Uh… what's going on?" Toon Link asked, a little frightened.

"I don't know," the Mii Brawler answered. "Whatever that thing is… I'm betting it's sure to be a problem for us in the future…" A strange hand then emerged from the slime. This kind of hand was very humanoid, but not quite. In fact, it was more blocky and had a pixelated texture despite being a human hand. The pink gelatinous mass then shifted into something that resembled a human but was shaped into more of a person made entirely out of blocks with pixelated textures. It was some sort of terrifying mix between the two, and the face that was revealed on what the slime transformed into was completely hideous. It seemed to have rectangular eyes and a mouth, but the hyperrealism on those pixels really messed up its image, throwing the grotesque abomination straight into the uncanny valley. Plus, for whatever reason, it didn't transform into disgusting versions of Banjo & Kazooie like it was supposed to.

"Now attack, my Stevepost!" the Bowser Jr. Primary called out.

"Stevepost?" Marth asked.

"Yoshi?" Yoshi noted with a bit of confusion.

"I don't know!" the captured fighter replied as he tried holding Banjo & Kazooie in his clutches. "I found that slime out of nowhere and I didn't have time to name it, so I'm just calling it what I see. Nevertheless, get them!" The grotesque cubic humanoid pulled out a blue, pixelated sword, receiving orders and charging at the fighters. While the Smashers are attacking the pink slime that transformed into... something that even the author can't describe as human, the Bowser Jr. Primary transported both himself and the bear-bird duo through a vortex, which took them to the Final Destination version of Delfino Plaza.


"Now, prepare for the wrath of the all-powerful Kaos!" the Bowser Jr. Primary shouted, his hands flashing with blue flames and his purple eyes glowing with menace.

"Careful, Banjo," Kazooie told the anthropomorphic bear. "He does say he hates Skylanders, according to Flynn."

"Kazooie, it was ten years ago," Banjo answered with a joyful tone. "Besides, what's a cute turtle like him going to do to-" Before Banjo could finish, the Bowser Jr. Primary's Koopa Clown Car pulled out mechanical boxing gloves and punched the bear right in the crotch, causing him to kneel down and hold his hit area in pain.

"That," Kazooie answered while the voice of the rebellious Portal Master rang through the Koopa Prince's possessed body. The Bowser Jr. Primary was then about to fire a cannonball at the bear-bird duo, and Kazooie was quickly coughing up Blue Eggs to slow the projectile down, but it still kept speeding. Banjo then got up and spot-dodged, quickly grabbing Kazooie and having her cough up more eggs at the Bowser Jr. Primary. The captured fighter began throwing bombs in the form of Koopa wind-up toys, by which Kazooie pulled out some Golden Feathers. Banjo used this to their advantage and quickly dashed at the Bowser Jr. Primary, who was also charging towards the bear and Breegull. Banjo & Kazooie came out on top and rammed the captured fighter off-stage.

"Let's see… I am in the body of a completely different mortal," the Bowser Jr. Primary spoke. "How do I recover?" A large, red eject button quickly emerged from the Koopa Clown Car's control panel, forcing the captured fighter to press it and give himself a boost back onto the Delfino Plaza stage. The luck for the possessed challenger dropped significantly as Kazooie simply coughed up a Grenade Egg off-stage from Banjo's backpack, which only touched him without exploding. This, the Bowser Jr. Primary was gimped.

"Well, this sucks," the captured fighter groaned. "Let's see… how does a young child always call for help when they're in danger…? Mother! Mother, help me! Help your poor son! Somebody help me!" Those were the last words the Bowser Jr. Primary called out before he exploded in the blast zone, freeing both the Kaos Spirit and the Koopa Prince. Banjo & Kazooie congratulated each other before a vortex appeared right where they were standing on the vanishing stage, holding the unconscious body of Bowser Jr. and carrying him back.


Once the bear and the bird arrived with the red mist of the Dharkon Lock with Bowser Jr's body, the Spirit they rescued and the red mist both didn't go straight for Sonic the Hedgehog, for his memories had already been restored. Instead, they dived right into the mind of Kirby, who was about to be struck by the Stevepost's diamond sword before being saved by the Hero. The pink puffball's eyes flashed red again, and another vision flashed through his head again.


Kirby woke up in a large, vast field void of grass. A violent thunderstorm was raging through the sky, blackened as dark as Galeem's heart truly was. The pink puffball looked up into what remained of the Sky Temple, which was surrounded by Master Hands floating through the air. Looking down on the earth was Galeem himself in his draconic form. The Seraph of Order walked up to Lord Ceresor's tombstone, which was one of the few things that remained of the massive structure the Sky Temple once was.

"Look at your greatest creation," Galeem spoke to the grave of the Lord of Arcus. "Me. The one you banished because you saw me as cruel and selfish. You thought order and perfection cannot exist without chaos and disarray. But I can prove you wrong." As the Lord of Light turned around to walk to the edge of the floating island, his tail sliced across the tombstone, cutting it in half as it crumbled into nothing more than pebbles. Galeem then saw Ultima and Sozo walk out onto the field, with the Diamond of Universes glowing on the chest of the dragoness. The Mii Fighters and the Shadow Bug creatures with Galleom arrived, along with the aliens from other planets equipped with the technology from Raifujin.

"Kill them all," Galeem calmly ordered the Master Hands. "Spare no one except for the last two dragons. Leave Sozo and Ultima alive so I can transform them." The Master Hands obeyed, diving down straight for the charging army down on the field. Galleom grabbed ahold of the first few Master Hands, slamming them into the ground until they were nothing more than golden glitter. The Mii Fighters were assisted by the Shadow Bugs as both species jumped on top of more Master Hands and ripped through their silky shells, burning the fabric off. The aliens that were guided by the elementals they had served as major distractions for Ultima and Sozo to dash towards the Sky Temple, where Galeem glided down to the field in front of them.

"Figured you would still be alive, sister," Galeem spoke with a smile on his face. "It just make me much more satisfied now that I would have to kill you by my claws."

"You see this!?" Ultima snarled as she pointed at the Diamond of Universes on her neck. "This will end your reign once and for all, Galeem. I will make you fall." The Lord of Light wasted no time attacking Ultima and Sozo, bursting out golden flames that scorched the lifeless ground. Sozo began creating boomerangs of light and throwing them at Galeem, ricocheting off the seraphic dragon's colossal wings. The Seraph of Order dived straight for Sozo, landing on the ground and shooting pillars of blue lightning. The ex-Lord of Light began getting wounded after tireless seconds of attacking only to realize that his own powers cannot hurt Galeem. Just when Sozo was ready to flee with only one wing, Galeem slashed at his rival's neck with his claws, letting Sozo fall by his own gashing wounds.

"Sozo!" Ultima cried, the heavy rain falling on her battle armor. The Queen of Arcus began fuming with black thunderclouds, enhanced by the Diamond of Universes and shot out violet crystals at Galeem. Some of them scrapped his wings, and he roared at the intense pain the darkness was delivering to him.

"So I guess darkness outbalances light," Galeem snarled, creating a javelin out of some of his wings levitating by his golden aura. His eyes flashed red as he clashed his javelin weapon with Ultima's legs and tail. The Queen of Arcus then breathed dark smoke on Galeem's face before pushing him hard to the ground, gnawing at his neck with her teeth. Galeem then grabbed ahold of her and threw her onto the rocky dirt, the two of them getting up as quickly as possible.

"How and why could you do this, Galeem!?" Ultima asked, tears mixing with the heavy rain falling above them. "I thought being the Lord of Light was to keep balance and peace with the darkness, unless you cheated your way through! Whatever happened to being friends till the end, no matter what!?"

"The past is in the past, Ultima," Galeem answered, levitating without moving his wings. "I will clear a way for the future, and it all starts… with destroying the darkness before it destroys me."

"I won't let you!" Ultima roared, icy breath streaming out from her mouth as she ran towards Galeem. However, the Seraph of Order used his telepathy and stopped Ultima in place before she could strike him.

"Even with all the power in the multiverse, you are still weak," Galeem chuckled, placing his paws on Ultima's chest with his claws on different sides of the glowing stone. "Hopefully I never have to deal with you again." Galeem then shoved his claws deep into the scaly skin of the frozen dragoness, causing her to cry in pain as her own brother was about to reach to her internal organs.

In the battle against the Master Hands, the First Ultimates saw that the Queen of Arcus was about to be killed, and they wanted to do something about it.

"Quick!" Sieg the First Brawler Ultimate called out to the other two. "We each grab a cannon and fire them all at Galeem!" Each of the First Ultimates pulled out the cannons revealed before at Raifujin, pointing them straight at Galeem. They each fired, sending large lasers right at the Lord of Light. Once Galeem looked up, he was hit so hard in the head that he was knocked back in defeat, with the lasers reflecting back at Ultima and the First Ultimates. They all pierced through Ultima, splitting her into two conscious minds as the Diamond of Universes dropped to the ground. They then flew straight for the First Ultimates, and their souls were separated from their bodies and sent straight to few of the statues of the legendary warriors now located at Ginnungagap.

Galeem looked up and saw who once were Ultima now appeared as two godlike figurines that were starting to wake up: Tabuu, the God of Construction, and a mysterious, golden woman with abstract bird wings and a violet eye in the center of her chest. Kirby, for the first time, was speechless by what he saw. Who once was their mortal enemy was half of the Queen of Arcus. Tabuu was a split mind of Ultima. But who was the golden goddess…?

Tabuu was just about to reach for the Diamond of Universes, but Galeem quickly snatched it with his telekinesis, breathing harder than before.

"You'll pay for this! All of you!" Galeem growled, his slit pupils dilated. "I will truly murder you, Ultima! Or… what remains of you anyway. Two figures, one mind. Tabuu, the God of Construction and Ultima's darkness, and Ragnarokk, the Goddess of Oblivion and Ultima's light." Galeem then lifted the dying Sozo into the air, twisting the general's bones and flesh until he became the Arcadian Master Hand, which was identified with a golden aura. The Lord of Light then called the other Hands of Creation to his side before he flew back to the Sky Temple with the Diamond of Universes.

"Where do you suppose he's going to do with that stone?" Tabuu asked.

"Release Dharkon… just so he can kill him," Ragnarokk answered with the exact same voice as Faker's and Ultima's. Once the vision ended on a cliffhanger, Kirby's eyes flashed red again, bringing him back into the fight against the Stevepost.


"Kirby, wake up!" Young Link called out. The pink puffball quickly looked up to see the grotesque cubic human about to strike him with his pixelated diamond sword. Kirby quickly pulled out his hammer in the process and blocked the incoming attack, pushing the strange figure away. The Stevepost found himself surrounded by the other fighters, even Bowser Jr. who just woke up, but his gaze was focused more on Banjo & Kazooie, the duo the pink slime transformed from. For whatever reason, the Stevepost was talking in a way that was nothing more than untranslatable screeches for the other fighters but can only be heard by the bear and the bird.

"Why, if it isn't my pals Banjo and Kazooie," the Stevepost spoke. Even when he was smiling, he was terrifying with those flat human teeth. "Tell me: how you guys been doin'?"

"No… you can't be real," Kazooie gasped, putting her wings over her beak. "The Steve we knew was left to die…"

"Nonsense! I'm totally real!" "Steve" responded.

"You just copied our memories into the real thing…" Banjo answered. "Like we told you before, we will never be your friend after what you did!"

"What are the bear and bird doing?" Sonic asked with confusion. "Who is this 'Steve' guy they're referring to? I know only Banjo & Kazooie can hear them, but how do they know each other?"

"I don't know," Joker answered, "but whatever these two are hiding, they need a stern talking to."

"Oh, that's rich," "Steve" responded, being slightly sarcastic with his voice. "You abandoned me!"

"You were going to kill us all, and it would make me and Kazooie feel so much better!" Banjo growled, clenching his fists and gritting his teeth. "We beat you once, we can beat you again!" The bear pulled out Kazooie like a sword, grabbing her by her feet.

"Sorry I have to do this," Banjo spoke.

"It's fine," Kazooie replied. "I've got iron-tough feathers and I like being played rough. Now swing me at that imposter!" Banjo and "Steve" charged at each other with sword-like weapons, the strange thud of Kazooie's feathers clanging against the pixelated diamond sword. Banjo then grabbed Kazooie's neck and made her cough up Blue Eggs like a shotgun. The grotesque cubic humanoid pulled out a shield and began blocking the projectiles, but was suddenly interrupted by Sonic's gust of wind. The Stevepost got back on his feet and snarled in an untranslatable language.

"Looks like the slime is angry!" Kazooie responded. "Good luck trying to understand what he's saying because even we can't!" Sonic's powers then automatically clicked, and his ears perked up to the sounds of the Stevepost being translated.

"So you can hear what I'm saying, huh?" the grotesque monster asked. "Looks like Dharkon's experiments REALLY did a number on you!" For the other fighters, this was nothing more than screeching.

"Shut up," the Luminary snapped, unleashing Kazap behind "Steve". The grotesque being was becoming electrocuted, standing up and turning around. He simply roared now, pulling out potions and throwing them at the fighters. Ness began swatting the potions back at "Steve" with his bat, and Fox began warping around with a blue aura around his body, rapidly jabbing in the horrifying cubic human's face. Blocks of TNT were placed to assist "Steve", and he was ready to light the small pile up in front of the fighters as he kept blocking incoming attacks with his shield. The Stevepost was ready to ignite a block of TNT with a redstone torch, which was just ready to explode. As the fighters were about to back away, Shulk received a vision of the future: the cave was laced with redstone connected to TNT. If one redstone torch was placed next to the redstone to ignite the TNT, then redstone repeaters would transfer the ignited information throughout the dust laid out and ignite more TNT blocks hidden in the rocks, blowing up the cave and killing everyone underneath the falling rocks.

"The caves are rigged!" Shulk called out as he struggled against "Steve's" potions. "This place is going to blow up if we don't get out!" Sonic used his speed to his advantage, vanishing in the blink of an eye. Just before the Stevepost ignited the TNT next to him, a house built from all the TNT Sonic gathered in time appeared around him, and it was to late for "Steve" as he couldn't get rid of the ignited block.

"Grab a soda, some popcorn, and let's enjoy the fireworks show," Sonic responded with a smirk behind his blue lipstick as he didn't look back upon the large explosion of TNT supposedly killing "Steve" inside it. The fighters watched from a safe distance of the fiery screams that was coming from the cubic human-guised slime, and Banjo & Kazooie were the most shocked. Once the fire calmed down and pieces of sand and popping gunpowder landed in the ground of the cave, things seemed to have calmed down with relief.

"That… was… terrifying," Bowser Jr. said as the genie's lamp was passed to him. "I have never met this guy before in my life, and he's already gave me nightmares for a full-straight month."

"I know how you feel, kid," Sonic responded, shaking the sand from his slippers. Once the Smashers continued down the path to the Gerudo gold, the blue hedgehog started hearing noises coming from the ashes of the TNT pile behind them.

"Determination is nonexistent, rat…" the bubbling voice of "Steve" growled softly. Fox McCloud heard the sounds from the ash pile, but there was the untranslatable gibberish for him instead.

"Guys…?" Fox and Sonic asked in unison as louder, squelching sounds arose from the area of the blast. The Smashers turned around in confusion to be met with the pink slime disguised as "Steve" transform into some of disgusting horror right in front of them. Slimy, slithering tentacles of deep cobalt and turquoise wrapped around each other into a pulsing body of ooze and pus. Arms made out of pure muscle and popping veins made themselves into limbs so beefy that Incineroar and Captain Falcon looked nothing more than a baby. The creepy face of "Steve" moved its way up to the top of the body of mutated flesh, his bones cracking with every movement. His human-like teeth became much more noticeably sharper, and his tongue was long and forked. His eyes rolled back into his cubic head until the capillaries in his corneas were shown at the bottom, with his blue pupils gone. His mouth stretched to an unnatural level, making a noise that was supposed to be laughter but came out as a voice from the depths of hell.

"Dear God," Snake spoke.

"Sweet mother of Chaos!" Sonic exclaimed as the eldritch horror in front of them exposed his yellowed teeth and hyperrealistic gums, releasing a stunning roar that filled the fighters with a brink of fear. They crouched and cowered at the terrifying beast towering over them by a meter, and the only ones immune were Banjo & Kazooie, the ones who were caught by the slime.

"Should we do this again?" Kazooie asked. Banjo nodded, dashing towards the monster that "Steve" had become and kicking sand in the creature's face. The horrific creature cried as he tried to get the sand out of his eyes, his eyes shrinking until they crunched into little black dots with pixelated skin covering the sides of his sockets. He began slamming with his strong arms, shaking the floor of the cave. The anthropomorphic bear stated hitting the slimy tentacles, jabbing as hard as he could with Kazooie to assist him. However, "Steve" whacked Banjo with his strong arms and ramming the bear into the wall of the cave. The grotesque creature then charged towards him, still roaring the roar that triggered the emotion of fright in the other fighters.

"Sonic!" Fox called out to the blue hedgehog. Sonic lowered his quills as he looked at the Star Fox mercenary, trembling. Even if he couldn't see "Steve's" horrifying face, Sonic could still visualize the abomination by simply hearing his voice.

"You need to stall that thing!" Fox exclaimed. "You're the only one out of any of us to stand up against that bastard thanks to your powers! Block his voices out of your head and focus!" Sonic then quietly stood up, knowing that "Steve" can scare his prey by being heard and seen. Out of the blue, the scars on the blue hedgehog's eyes flashed their respected colors, filtering the disturbing sounds and the looks of the humanoid eldritch so they no longer trigger his helplessness. Now, Sonic could concentrate and create a pillar of fire underneath the Stevepost's tentacles. Yet, "Steve" saw this coming as he approached Banjo & Kazooie. The creature extended his mouth and… swallowed the flame pillar?

"The hell?" Sonic asked. A fire symbol flashed on "Steve's" eyes as his mouth stretched to a point that it seemed as though he was touching the roof of the cave. Getting pissed as the horror was laughing, Sonic began tossing boulders, lightning bolts, thorny vines, gusts of wind, icicles, and magic blasts, only for "Steve" to swallow them all as fast as possible. His eyes rapidly switched through symbols of the Rainbolements, having completely absorbed them.

"Well, this is new," Kazooie replied. The head of "Steve" then split into seven, smaller heads, each on a long neck and a single, giant eye, with each eye having a different symbol of the Rainbolements. To top it off, his strong arms are missing, and it instead remained a blob of slimy tentacles with tips of pink. The head with the Fire Rainbolement began charging up bursts of fire and shooting them at the blue hedgehog and bipedal bear. The head with the Earth Rainbolement now started blasting out walls of stone, trying to push the two fighters into the cave walls and crush them, but they kept jumping out of the way and grabbing some of the paralyzed Smashers in the process.

The head with the Thunder Rainbolement spat out charged blasts of lightning, and the head with the Life Rainbolement spat out rapid-fire seeds which grew into vines that tried to slam Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie into the ground. Sonic quickly grabbed a paralyzed Fox as the head with the Air Rainbolement was ready to blow a massive tornado at the Star Fox mercenary. Some of the Smashers were starting to get up and avoid looking and hearing the abomination.

"You okay?" Fox asked, holding Sonic's cheek as he was trying to pull himself up. The blue hedgehog nodded and began to charge up lightning in his fingertips once the head with the Water Rainbolement spouted out a strong stream of water. The blue hedgehog placed his hands in the water and zapped the grotesque monster. Finally, the head with the Magic Rainbolement was ready to unleash a powerful blast that will surely kill the fighters.

Kazooie quickly coughed up a Grenade Egg, which served as a distraction for the "Steve" heads. Sonic then came up from behind via speed and created ice blades from his hands, severing some of the tentacles and cutting deep into the body of the altered Stevepost. The creature roared in defeat as pink slime was oozing out of his wound, and he squirmed around until he transformed back into his cubic humanoid self. As the other fighters got up, helping Bowser Jr. keep himself together, "Steve" began growling in screeches, but he spoke in the ears of Banjo & Kazooie as well as Sonic. With enough luck, Mega Man managed to translate the language as well with his systems.

"You will pay for this!" "Steve" snarled as he squirmed in defeat. "When I get back, I will drag you down to a place where there's no heaven, no hell – just nothing! Nothing as empty as the Mother's shell! She will live on! Do you hear!?" The grotesque figure then exploded into a pink mess on the sand, leaving Banjo & Kazooie shocked. Sonic was terrified by what he saw earlier, and Mega Man backed away in fear.

"What did he say?" Cloud asked. The three fighters turned around, unable to speak as of now. The grotesque horror seemed to do a lot on them. Mega Man's translator was all jumbled up from the message of the Stevepost, and even he couldn't process the message now.

"I suppose we just take this lamp to the genderless genie?" Bowser Jr. asked, tossing the lamp to the Hero.

"I suppose," Ireburn responded. As the fighters traveled to the cave of the genderless genie, the pink mess on the floor was slowly reforming into the mono-eyed slime it once was. It looked back on the disappearing fighters with its expressionless eye looking far at them.

The fighters made it to the area where all of the Gold of the Gerudo was being held at, and there, on top of the shiny pile, was the genderless genie. They were of a Master Ace class due to their rainbow aura surrounding their yellow body, and they had the graced of an angel that could fly like a bird. In their hands, they held the Thunder Helm.

"Oh boy," the genie responded in a teenage feminine voice. "I don't know why that young turtle wanted me to steal all this, but it sure looks pretty!" As the genderless genie was about to put on the Thunder Helm, they looked down at the fighters standing right in front of the Gerudo gold.

"Don't you people look adorable in those dresses?" the genie asked in a playful manner. "I can see past your disguises and know you're not really women…"

"Give the Gerudo back their gold and the Thunder Helm back now!" Zelda ordered, the Smashers getting ready to attack. However, the genie simply laughed.

"You people just don't know who you're talking to, huh?" the genie continued. "For whatever reason, I was given this gold and ordered to protect it. Now buzz off!" The Luminary then pulled out the lamp, scaring the genie.

"You've found it!" the genie gasped, dropping the Thunder Helm on the surface of the gold. "The one thing Dharkon kept me locked up in! Too bad you can't tell me my name or you'll be sucking me in right about now…" Sonic, knowing the answer quite easily due to his experience, grabbed the lamp from the Hero's hands and held the lamp.

"Is it NiGHTS?" Sonic asked. Shook, the genie trembled with a surprised expression.

"What the-!?" NiGHTS asked, a tornado swirling out from the lamp and sucking in the genie.

"NiGHTS!" Sonic continued, drawing in the genie as they tried to escape. In a state of panic, NiGHTS offered to make a deal.

"Okay, okay!" NiGHTS spoke as they were being sucked in. "I'll give all the treasure in this cave back to the Gerudo! I'll do what you ask if you just leave me alone! Please!" Sonic then covered the spout of the lamp, getting rid of the tornado and freeing NiGHTS. The genderless genie Spirit sighed as they snapped their fingers and transported all of the gold back to the Gerudo.

"And the Thunder Helm," Joker replied when he saw the headpiece still here. Sighing in defeat , NiGHTS snapped their fingers and returned the Thunder Helm through transportation.

"Now go back to the Gerudo and apologize," Mario told the genie. "Roll with whatever punishment they give you without complaining." NiGHTS then teleported themselves to the Gerudo tribe, leaving the cave empty.

"Well, that's that," Sonic said as he tossed the lamp onto the empty sand and walked off to the main entrance with his pals. Once they got outside, the Smashers looked around the darkened sky, feeling rather peculiar about this.

"I guess all that's left to do is find Ganondorf and complete the Triforce," Sheik told the fighters before she stared off into the direction of Gerudo Town.

"Especially the fight back there," Fox responded. "That was weird…"

"Yeah, Sonic answered, looking back at the cave. "I wonder who this Mother person is, and I wonder if she had… anything to do… with… the… situation…" While Sonic was talking, Fox in shock turned the hedgehog's head so he was facing in the same direction all the other fighters were. There, right in front of Sonic's eyes, was Gerudo Town engulfed in violet flames.

Chapter 71: The Demon King

Summary:

While the fighters were in the labyrinth, Mephiles has taken over the Gerudo Town in the body of Ganondorf. Now they will do whatever it takes to free the Sacred Realm from the forces of darkness.

Chapter Text

The fighters gazed upon the horror that was the burning Gerudo Town, the red flames spiraling into violet as they ascended into the sky blackened with ashes. Among the rising fires were the screams of the Gerudo Spirits and several female species.

"Oh… my… goodness…" Zelda gasped.

"We need to get going! Come on!" Mario said to his friends as he dashed towards the burning town. The other fighters followed him to the main entrance, where the two guards cowered and trembled with all of the other security that was kicked out by some unknown force that works for Dharkon.

"We just… let him walk through," one of the guards whispered.

"What happened?" Cloud Strife asked.

"Unbeknownst to us, an intruder just entered our gates invisibly," another guard responded. "He just burned down our city once he got to the palace, and he used the body of Ganondorf to cause mayhem to our city walls while kicking us protectors out!"

"Who was this intruder?" Sonic asked.

"We don't know," a third guard spoke up. "He introduced himself as… Mephos? Mecha? Something starting with 'M'?"

"Mephiles," Sonic corrected, remembering the name that murdered him.

"That's the one!" a fourth guard replied. "Anyone can enter the gates now. Just get rid of that monster! First the genie stole our gold, now this enigma of an enemy is laying waste to our hideout!" The fighters went through the gate without penalties, wanting to stop the Primary that destroyed the town.

There were many Gerudo and other Spirits panicking, some hiding in houses while other were being taken hostage by Supporters, Dark Puppets, many different types of Primids, Shadyas, Yiga Clan forces, and two new enemies: Spikes from the Mushroom Kingdom and the Garo, and ancient race believed to have been extinct in Termina, a world completely different from Hyrule. All of these different kinds of species looked upon the fighters, getting ready to attack.

"Mamma mia," Mario sighed. "The fight never ends, does it?"

"No it doesn't," Sonic replied, the Rainbolements streaming through his fingers. "As I always tell myself, live and learn." A Garo was ready to strike the blue hedgehog from behind while being invisible, but Sonic quickly grabbed the mysterious warrior and threw it at a small group of Boom Primids. The Smashers then traveled through the burning town, attacking the various enemies and looting from broken vases.

Simon Belmont began throwing axes at the Spikes, who were coughing up spiky pillars and throwing them from platforms, and Fox and Sonic was jabbing and kicking by Sonic's side, but it was the blue hedgehog doing most of the work with his ice and fire pillars combined with his karate-like combos. Incineroar began throwing many of the Yiga troops out of the way and tossing them into the fire, and the Pokémon Trainer called out Squirtle to put out the fires and get some of the Spirits trapped inside the clay buildings.

The Smashers began climbing over the buildings when they saw the roads Lea to the palace were blocked off by the flames, and they began attacking the Shadyas waiting for them at the top. Captain Falcon and the Mii Brawler were doing flips in the air before landing in a group of Garo and Spikes, and they both managed to knock them off the rooftops. The fighters continued jumping over the clay buildings and attacking Dharkon's puppets until they managed to land safely in front of the palace where Chieftess Riju was supposedly being held against her will.

"I suppose that's where we can find the Ganondorf Primary?" Link asked.

"If that Mephiles Spirit is the one possessing him, then yes," Sheik answered.

"Then let's kick his butt and leave the Sacred Land!" Bowser Jr. replied. The Smashers nodded in agreement and went into the palace where the chieftess was.

"No! Please! Have mercy!" Riju screamed, her cries becoming louder the deeper into the palace the fighters traveled through.

"Listen, you don't know what you're getting yourself into," NiGHTS replied. "We will never submit to Dharkon, no matter how much you threaten us!" The group managed to find themselves in the throne room, where they saw Riju and NiGHTS trapped in a cage formed out of obsidian, and the Master Legendary Spirit that was keeping them hostage was Mephiles.

"Your tears of terror will be all the more sweeter one I'm through with you," the Mephiles Spirit responded, black flames flowing out from his crystalline hands.

"Stop this right now!" Joker snapped, pointing his gun at the hostile Spirit. Mephiles simply looked back at the Smashers cornering him, not really taking his chance to attack.

"Why, if it isn't the legendary hedgehog and his friends that are going around saving others from a major threat," Mephiles chuckled. "Let me guess: you're here to stop me?"

"Your reign of terror ends, Mephiles!" Sonic snapped, fire and lightning crackling up between his fingers. "I don't know how or why you're doing this, but it needs to stop now!" The crystalline hedgehog Spirit turned around, shaking his head and chuckling.

"You have me idea who you're up against, aren't you?" Mephiles asked, black flames igniting from his fingers. Appearing in a cloud of smoke was Ganondorf's body, which was chained up by the tendrils of the Dharkon Lock. The Mephiles Spirit entered inside the Gerudo King, igniting a red aura from the now-invisible Lock. The Ganondorf Primary opened up his violet eyes, glaring at the fighters ready to attack.

"We can take him down," Link said to his friends. "There's a lot of us and only one of him."

"Quality over quantity," the Ganondorf Primary growled, lifting up his hand and showing the symbol of the Triforce of Power. A red beacon flashed where the Demon King stood, beaming up to the blackened sky. Once the beacon vanished, the Ganondorf Primary jumped into the air, about to slam his fist at the fighters standing their ground.

Shulk and Marth jumped out of the way, colliding swords with the captured fighter's humongous chopper. It seemed as though the Primary would beat the two fighters with that huge sword of his, but Cloud and Chrom came in from behind and slashed the Ganondorf Primary's back. Olimar then tossed his Pikmin on the captured fighter's face, but the Primary simply swatted the Pikmin off his face. As he shook off the ghosts of the Pikmin, he approached a trembling Olimar until Red's Ivysaur jumped in front of the Hocotate captain and began using Bullet Seed. The Ganondorf Primary, after getting hit, jumped to the side where he found himself surrounded by Link, Young Link, and Toon Link.

"This body is so slow and heavy!" the Mephiles Spirit snarled, charging up his shadow powers in his extended foot. A fiery explosion occurred right in front of Link as he shielded and his other two clones were knocked back, and he became dazed once it broke. The Ganondorf Primary charged up a forward smash, and he would've killed the Champion of Hyrule if Joker and Ireburn didn't come to his rescue. The Phantom Thief began shooting the captured fighter's face, and the Hero pulled up his Command Selection and used Hocus Pocus. The random effect that spawned gave Eleven a Superspicy Curry ability, and he began burning the Ganondorf Primary's cape before he and Joker were knocked back by Warlock Punch.

"I see you've gotten stronger," the captured fighter spoke. "This could be a bit harder…" Mega Man and PAC-MAN were tossing their projectiles at the Ganondorf Primary, which he simply whacked away by spinning his sword rapidly. Duck Hunt and Banjo & Kazooie began shooting out their explosives, and the Inkling and Wii Fit Trainer began piling up on the Ganondorf Primary. Mario and Captain Falcon started punching once Ness trapped the captured fighter in a renewable pillar of PK Fire. Once the fighters started getting the Ganondorf Primary at a decent percentage, Sonic grabbed ahold of Kirby by the end of the alien's wooden mallet, igniting the weapon with his powers. The pink demon then jumped forward and whacked the Ganondorf Primary, knocking out the captured fighter.

The possessed body of the Demon King flew right into the obsidian cage where Riju and NiGHTS were held, with black shards flying everywhere and freeing the two Ace Spirits. The fighters then cornered the Ganondorf Primary, whose Lock has already been shattered. The Mephiles Spirit flew out, groaning at the fact that he lost in the body of the reincarnated king of monsters.

"You know what? Fine," the Master Legendary Spirit spoke calmly. "I really didn't want this fighter anymore. You want him? He's yours. I have better things to do right now…" The Mephiles Spirit then vanished with the fires in Gerudo Town, with a red beacon shining on top of Ganondorf's body as he was slowly waking up. The red mist of the Dharkon Lock flew right into Kirby's body, triggering a vision once again.


The pink demon woke up inside the Sky Temple, watching as Galeem was gliding to the treasure vault without the floor, where Dharkon was hanging from the ceiling in a prison of light. The Seraph of Order chuckled as he telepathically slipped the Diamond of Universes on his neck, groaning as the gold necklace simply burned his scales. Galeem quickly took it off with his powers and moved it to his side.

"That gemstone will not help you kill me because you are weak of heart, just like you had always been," Dharkon growled, trying not to hurt himself in his cage.

"I will find a way to utilize its powers and use it to purge the darkness from this world," Galeem answered, his sunrise-colored eyes looking back at the imprisoned Seraph of Chaos.

"You may try, but I am getting stronger by the minute," Dharkon responded, standing up. From what the Lord of Light could tell, his brother was no longer flinching from touching the bars of highly-concentrated light, and he began gnawing through the cage. The Seraph of Chaos broke out from his prison, flying straight for Galeem's neck. The two seraphic dragons began attacking with equal strength, slashing with their claws and ramming with their horns. The Lord of Darkness was about to reach for the floating Diamond of Universes, but Galeem started stabbing Dharkon with his angelic partisan. The Seraph of Chaos, angry about this, began whacking the Lord of Light with his demonic sledgehammer. Soon, the powerful dragons began clashing their modified wings against each other, hoping to destroy the opposite side and get what they want. While the two were attacking, Tabuu and Ragnarokk arrived.

"There!" Tabuu told Ragnarokk. "We grab the Diamond of Universes and merge us back into one!" The Master Hands then started flying towards the Crazy Hands that had broken free, getting into a battle that resulted in a shower of gold and violet glitter. Sozo and Hakai, who had become Hands themselves, spotted the Diamond of Universes and began attacking each other for one of them to grab it. Ragnarokk noticed who were once her teachers fight each other because of the two corrupted sides, and she began to cast forward pyro and cyro spells at the Hands of Creation and Destruction, trying to break up the fight.

This struggle of Tabuu and Ragnarokk did not go unnoticed by Galeem and Dharkon as they stopped fighting each other and charged straight for the God of Construction. Tabuu quickly teleported behind the seraphim, and began rapidly slashing them with golden blades. Galeem pushed Dharkon and Tabuu away and reformed his weapon back into his wings, splurging Tabuu with blue lightning and golden flames.

Dharkon began attacking Ragnarokk, keeping his blue-and-yellow eyes open for Galeem. The Goddess of Oblivion then shot a powerful laser back at the Seraph of Chaos, knocking him into the Lord of Light. Tabuu then saw Ragnarokk become an easy target for Galeem's piercing wings and Dharkon's tendrils, realizing it was too late once he stopped the seraphic dragons.

"Ragnarokk…" Tabuu gasped as the Goddess of Oblivion was slowly disintegrating into dust, fading away into a cloud that surrounded and was absorbed by the Diamond of Universes. The mind and will of Ultima was no more. The God of Construction clenched his chest, driven mad by grief despite unable to show emotion. He turned towards the two dragons, pissed off by what they did. Before Galeem and Dharkon could even touch him as they charged towards him, trying to push each other away with brute force, Tabuu could do the only thing that would also imprison his own life: banish the seraphim.

The God of Construction used his magic to create Chains of Light and Darkness: the darkness on his right and the light on his left. He bound Galeem in Chains of Darkness, and Dharkon in Chains of Light, and the two dragons struggled to fly away before vortexes to different dimensions spawned behind them and started sucking them in.

"For as long as you two keep your faces out of Arcus, I will be tethered to the spiritual world and remain there until the warriors of the past reunite me with the Ragnarokk. Both the goddess and the Diamond of Universes will remain in the shadows until the second reawakening of this world, and you will trapped here until I fall. Your own servants will call forth the legends that will end your doom and destroy the one that gave you these powers. That is a promise." As the holes to the different worlds grew wider, Galeem was sucked into the Light Dimension with all of his Master Hands, and Dharkon was drawn into the Dark Dimension with his Crazy Hands. Tabuu pulled the different chains back to himself and grabbed Sozo and Hakai with them. Soon, the closing of the portals resulted in a bright blast that destroyed all in its path. The Diamond of Universes transformed itself and the ashes of Ragnarokk into the neon-violet Shadow Bug that was first discovered by Sonic the Hedgehog, illuminating bring and calling the other creatures from the pit of Ginnungagap to surround Tabuu and protect him from the explosion that wiped out the entire planet.

The Mii Fighters and aliens gathered around the bodies of the First Ultimates, mourning for their loss. The remaining Shadow Bugs grabbed ahold of the Raifujin technology and carried them all to the God of Construction.

"But what about us?" one of the Mii Gunners asked.

"Our time has already been fulfilled," one of the Mii Brawlers answered, looking at the bright explosion in the sky. "Our Ultimates will make our species live on, even if their voices are already gone…" As the blast of gold and violet stretched across the planet, the Mii Fighters and aliens accepted their deaths in the fiery inferno, which spread out through all the corners of the universe. All that remained was nothing but the darkness of space. As soon as things went silent, Kirby's vision was over.


The pink puffball woke up to the Smashers gathering around Link, Young Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf to see the marks on their hands were now glowing, showing that the Triforce was now completed. A huge, golden beacon flashed from the Temple of the Master Sword, letting the Smashers know where to go next.

"Let's get going," Pit said to his friends. "Who knows when Dharkon's forces grab the Triforce before we do?" The fighters then dashed off from the palace, leaving Riju, NiGHTS, and the other Gerudo and female Spirits look around the desolated town.

The Smashers went higher up to the temple, dashing down the Gerudo Desert to spot the Mephiles Spirit gliding in the air towards the golden beacon. The power of the completed Triforce spawned a castle from the temple grounds, shining brightly in all its glory.

"Mephiles?" Sonic asked, running so fast the others could barely keep up. "What's he gonna do with that Triforce?"

"The same reason why I searched for the other two pieces," Ganondorf responded. "Total control." Once the fighters made it to the empty castle, they caught Mephiles in time about to steal all three pieces of the Triforce. The crystalline hedgehog Spirit turned around to face the large group of Smashers, simply chuckling.

"Do you really think you can take me on in these kinds of outfits?" Mephiles asked, noticing how all the male fighters on the team (excluding Bowser Jr. and Ganondorf) were still in their Gerudo vai clothing. "A shame I have to do this to you…" Mephiles then snapped his fingers, a puff of smoke surrounding most of the fighters.

"That's better," Mephiles calmly responded. Once the smoke cleared, all the male fighters were back in their original clothes, with Sonic having noticed his makeup, hairstyle, and the rest of his dolled-up appearance was missing. "Don't really want to go down in history as the overlord beaten up by a bunch of feminine boys."

"Enough fun and games," Link snapped, pointing his Master Sword at the Master Legendary Spirit. "We've never seen a kind of Spirit like you physically interact with the material world. Who are you anyway?"

"Someone cunning and mischievous," Sonic answered, clenching his gloved fists.

"Thank you for clearing that up, Sonic," Mephiles responded, the pieces of the Triforce spinning around him. "There is so much more that you don't know about me…" The crystalline hedgehog then turned back at the Triforce and raised his hands triumphantly. Beams of blue, green, and red directed themselves into Mephiles' chest, causing him to bend over. The crystalline hedgehog began laughing maniacally, the large room of the castle crumbling into a vast battlefield. Flames ignited on the sides, complete with crumbling walls and broken pillars.

The Mephiles Spirit then dissolved into ashes, which expanded and reformed into a monstrous beast powered by the whole Triforce. Two mud-covered hooves slammed into the stone floor, and two humongous, golden swords were held by beefy, green arms. This monster was clothed with torn tapestries of ancient Gerudo culture, and the face was the most terrifying. A mop of red hair flowed behind two piercing horns, and eyes of malice shined on the face of a wild boar. As the demise of a swine roared, he exposed large tusks complete with carnivorous rows of fangs.

"What the heck is that!?" Kazooie asked, she and Banjo trembling under the terrifying beast.

"That's me as Ganon, the Demon King," Ganondorf answered, tightening his fists.

"Well how do we beat him?" Chrom asked.

"I have no idea," Ganondorf responded. "I've never sensed this kind of power before. Probably ask the three Links and two Zeldas for a few pointers…" The demonic pig jumped up into the air, slashing his two swords into the ground. Each of the fighters began attacking as the Demon King simply stood there. While they punched, kicked, and cast spells at his grimy swine feet, they suddenly realized that it had no effect on the large boar monster.

"Guys, back up!" Cloud Strife told his friends, who had all noticed Ganon about to use a spin attack. The strong tornado knocked back most of the Smashers.

"I've dealt with this thing before! We have to attack that thing at the tip of the tail on the ground! If you want to go after that gem on his head, which is powering him up to near-invincibility, be my guest if you wanna die!" Young Link said, dashing towards the back of Ganon. The Demon King then noticed the group charging for his yellow-tipped tail exposed out in the open, and he began charging lightning through his swords. Electrical blasts exploded in front of the Smashers, knocking them back hard onto the floor.

"You… bastard…" Joker groaned as he took off his mask, releasing Arsene by his side as he got up. Sonic the Hedgehog, noticing that the monstrous bipedal boar was invincible all over except for the tail and the jewel on his head, dashed away from the battlefield.

"Sonic, where are you going!? Come back here! We need you!" Fox called out, he and the other fighters looking up to see Ganon, the Demon King, forged by the Mephiles Spirit and powered by the Triforce, charge up a powerful laser of a strange substance known as malice, the same material left behind by his hooves. Those that fought with fists got up in front of the group, those with ranged weapons went in the back, and those with swords appeared in the middle. However, it didn't seem to make much of a difference as the powerful Demon King that was not part of Ganondorf in any way about to burn them with all the malice of Dharkon fueling his powers. Before Ganon fired his last of malice, a powerful slash slashed through the gem on his head, cracking it. Light beams scattered in all directions from the crack, significantly weakening Ganon. As the beast roared and clenched onto his forehead, the Smashers watched as the person who attacked the Demon King was Sonic, wielding the Master Sword of the Sacred Land. The blue hedgehog looked back on his companions, rubbing his fingers on the sharp blade.

"Come on, Chosen Heroes of Hyrule," Sonic said. "In times like these, you're gonna need another Master Sword." The Hylian clothed in blue nodded, tapping the edges of his Master Sword with Sonic's.

"Hedgehog! Your hand!" the Luminary called out. On the blue speedster's right hand, the entire symbol of the Triforce gleamed on his glove, shining golden and letting him know he's the chosen one.

"Let's skewer this bastard over a fire like the pig he is," Sonic growled, licking his draconic teeth as he sped towards Ganon, the Demon King, with the Master Sword in his hand. The blue hedgehog quickly climbed on top of the monster's body to a towering height, slashing at Ganon's face as he knew it was the weakest part in the air. The other fighters charged right for the tail, attacking the tip until it began to bleed yellow pus. Ganon managed to spot this and slashed with his sword again, breathing out balls of fire that followed the fighters around. The fastest of the team outran the fireballs, including Sonic, who just slid down Ganon's back by shoving his sword into Ganon's forehead and holding onto it from there, while the slowest were protected by Mario's cape and Ireburn's Bounce spell.

Villager began growing a tree and cutting it down in front of the tail, and that just made Ganon more mad. As the beast charged forward, Ganondorf and Incineroar grabbed ahold of his hooves and held the monster down, allowing Sonic to run up and continue attacking the head. Donkey Kong then helped Incineroar and Ganondorf grab ahold of the boar-like beast's and attempt to swing him around, but the Demon King slammed his tail upon the heavyweights, stunning them for quite a bit.

Joker with Arsene began firing his boosted gun, with Banjo & Kazooie soaring into the air and grabbing onto Ganon's horns. The Demon King swung his swords blindly as the whole team was attacking his tail, with Sonic and Banjo-Kazooie keeping him occupied. The beast then shot out a laser of malice at the blue hedgehog, shaking his head hard enough to knock off the bear and bird. Sonic quickly got back on his feet, electricity zipping through his eyes all the way to the Master Sword he was holding. The Triforce symbol on his hand flashed as the speedy devil went way faster than Ganon's reaction time, dodging the giant flame-coated swords of the monster king. Sonic then started thrusting his Master Sword deep into Ganon's tail, the lightning bolts using the bleeding pus as a current to travel throughout the rest of the beast's body before he could strike the fighters where they stood. While Ganon was stunned, Sonic ran up the towering creature's back, thrusting the Master Sword deep into the Demon King's head before making circles with the blade that went down to the beast's neck.

Ganon squealed in pain, his boar-like snout dripping with black-colored mucus, the same mucus that made the malice in his laser. The Smashers watched as the blue hedgehog graphically decapitated the Demon King's head in one, clean slice with the Master Sword before he let go of the weapon, the Triforce on his hand disappearing. The head of the monster landed with a dull thud, the rest of his losing body dissolving into ashes. As Sonic landed with an awesome pose, the Master Sword he used to fight against Ganon landed inbetween the creature's horns. Once things seemed to have calmed down, the team of fighters noticed the Triforce floating up into the air, free from the darkness as the sky became brighter. The Spirits that have settled in Hyrule 2.0 all gathered around Group A, saved from the threat that is Dharkon. Chieftess Riju approached the brave warriors, surprised most of them were male to begin with.

"Before you ask, yes," Mario noted. "We were voe this whole time. Besides the point, we did our part in this mission."

"Thankfully we're one step closer to you guys no longer hearing about Dharkon," Sonic answered, wiping some of the brine of Ganon, the Demon King, off his back. "We will kick this guy's butt faster than you can call to us for help!"

"And for that, we're very grateful," NiGHTS spoke. "Until we leave from this chaotic world, your names will go down in history as the heroes who brought about the fall of the Demise reincarnation. Especially you, lab rat of the Lord of Darkness." By those words, the Smashers knew that the genie was referring to Sonic, mainly for his unpredictability.

"With that said, we all have to get going now," the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn said. "Those of us that were trapped in the Dark Realm have no idea where our friends were hiding and would like to know about it soon…"

The fighters then departed from the desolated castle, with all the Spirits in the Sacred Realm cheering and waving their goodbyes. When both the team and the Spirits turned their backs on the head of Ganon, the severed crown of the Demon King dissolved into a black mist, floating away into the shadowy parts of the broken palace. The mist then reformed back into Mephiles, who made his rainbow aura and transparent-red skin vanish, turning him back to normal. For whatever reason, Mephiles survived, but was not a real fighter.

"Thankfully they did not notice that this disguise of a Spirit was fake," Mephiles calmly chuckled. "They are all truly… remarkably gullible." Just then, the droplets of the pink slime reformed back into the grotesque cubic humanoid known as "Steve", genuflecting in front of the crystalline hedgehog.

"Well done, my precious Insaniton," Mephiles spoke. "It seems that you can only feast on what the past has given you as of now. Shame that you're still weak." The Stevepost, now referred to as an Insaniton, shifted back into its pink slime form, slithering into the palm of the crystalline hedgehog.

"They clearly don't know the past," Mephiles continued. "The Super Smash Brothers don't realize that I did all this. I had corrupted Galeem and Dharkon in the Mother's name. Our name." The slime then shifted into a small figurine of the goddess depicted in Ultima's nightmare, and Mephiles admired the detailed looks.

"Mother…" Mephiles went on, the bottom of his levitating legs fading into black mist. "We had been apart… for so long. I wanted us to relive these moments of death and destruction. Almighty Father, if You can hear me, You know that I'm coming for You. Your kindness and compassion for all living creatures will not save You this time. I will reunite with my true second half. I will find a way to bring you back, Mother. You and I… will be whole once more!" As Mephiles squeezed his hand, the Insaniton in his crystalline appendage spurted its pink sludge everywhere, with the green eyes and red sclera glowing as bright as before.

Chapter 72: Back on the Ship

Summary:

As Group A gets back on the ship, Kirby restores some of Faker's memories. Meanwhile, Banjo & Kazooie tell the truth about "Steve" to Joker and the Hero.

Chapter Text

The group of fighters managed to make it to Hyrule Field, where the portal back to the outside of Draxia stood. Mario brushed against the layer of the blue exit, looking back upon the Smashers they rescued in the Sacred Land. Sonic, Zelda, Mii Brawler, Young Link, Chrom, Cloud, Bowser Jr., and Ganondorf had never seen the outside world, so their first-time reactions might not be so pleasant.

"Now we have to warn you that Draxia, the World of Darkness, may shock you," Mario told the reawakened fighters. "I hope you all are ready."

"We're ready," Ganondorf responded. "Wherever Dharkon is will surely taste true evil." Some of the other fighters nodded, traveling with the group through the portal. Sonic the Hedgehog lingered for a while, not wanting to know what it was like on the other side. Fox McCloud then approached the blue speedster.

"What's wrong?" Fox asked. The blue hedgehog sighed as he looked down on the grassy ground

"I've been thinking: what if Dharkon catches me again?" Sonic answered in the form of a question. "Would I have to go through those tortures, or…?" The Star Fox mercenary looked at the rest of the fighters walking through the portal.

"If it makes you feel any better, imagine yourself in my shoes," Fox answered. "How would you take care of me if I was the one tortured and left to die, and I had complete amnesia the moment you saved me?"

"I would… probably help you deal with those struggles as well as help explain your past in full detail," Sonic responded.

"That's it," Fox chuckled, rubbing the back of Sonic's head. "I know you can remember now, but I wanna point this out: normally, you would cry just for people to think you're tough enough to deal with inner struggling, but… after what I've seen, I've finally found those inner struggles of yours. The moment you first woke up after ten years, I finally found the truth. You were nothing more than a scared, trembling child, who had just been traumatized. You feel like all this is somehow you fault, and you can't remember why." Sonic then looked back at the anthropomorphic mercenary, confident by those words.

"Well… I'm not afraid anymore," Sonic replied. "Maybe the experience I might go through might change me, whether for better or worse. All I'm hoping is that I might get stronger through each passing minute, and I'm glad you are helping me get through those minutes." Fox and Sonic then grabbed each other's hands and went through the portal together, now walking on the roots of the Great Deku Tree's deceased body. They met up with the fighters in the dystopian city, walking through the soft snowfall in the pitch-black sky. As they went through the cracked streets, Kirby looked up into the sky to see a tiny star shine through a break in the clouds, twinkling brightly as a gleam of hope in this world of death and destruction.

The group of Smashers then made it to the Undying Light, watching as parts of the floating island it was stuck in let parts of itself crumble off, the large rocks floating away into the endless abyss. Now some more of the wedged ship was exposed, with some of the rescued Spirits and Mii Fighters backing onto the deck.

"Oh, hey," Sonic spoke. "It's the Legacy."

"It's the Undying Light," Joker corrected.

"It sure looks like the Legacy," the blue hedgehog responded. "It's got the face of the ship and everything." When the Smashers approached the ship, Faker looked out from the deck. She pulled out a wooden plank for the fighters to climb onto the Undying Light, keeping it steady so they wouldn't fall over onto their backs.

"I am so glad you're back," Faker sighed, relieved that the group was safe.

"Where are the other two teams?" Mario asked.

"I'm afraid they're still not back yet," Faker answered. "Hopefully we hear from them soon." While the Smashers went inside the ship, Kirby stayed behind and showed the brown-skinned woman who they found.

"Poyo… poyo poyo… Banjo and Kazooie," Kirby spoke, with the anthropomorphic bear and Breegull waving at Faker.

"I know about those two," Faker answered. "He and his friends visited the ship while you guys were asleep. Welcome back, Banjo."

"And Kazooie," Kazooie chirped. "Geez. Why does everybody forget me?"

"Calm down, Kazooie," Banjo responded. As the bear and the bird went inside the ship, Kirby looked back at Faker. The pink puffball knew about the struggles she had to go through even if she wasn't involved in trying to rescue the fighters under Dharkon's control.

"So… I've noticed you've been gathering more memories in… that jewel of mine," Faker responded. Kirby looked at his cuddly body, coughing up the stone he kept inside himself. He held the Diamond of Universes in his stubby hands, offering it to Faker. The amnesiac warrior took the stone and placed it in her necklace, her eyes flashing the same color as the glowing stone. Once the glowing stopped, she began to remember more of her past, realizing who she truly was now.

"R-R-Ragna… rokk…" Kirby stuttered, still learning how to speak. Faker looked out into the horizon of the World of Darkness, a look of bravery on her face.

"I'm back," Faker, now knowing herself as Ragnarokk for whatever reason, spoke. She looked down at the pink demon, giving him the Diamond of Universes.

"You'll need it more than I do," Ragnarokk finished, placing her hand over the stone in Kirby's stubby hands. "Uncover more about myself." Kirby looked at the warrior's face, nodding with determination.


Inside the Undying Light, Banjo walked around the halls of the ship, admiring at how much it changed. As soon as he entered the room with the many beds, the bear-and-bird duo were met up by Joker and the Hero behind the door. The Phantom Thief and the Luminary were staring at Banjo & Kazooie suspiciously, their arms folded across their chests.

"We need to talk," Joker answered.

"It's about this Steve person you and Kazooie had to deal with," Eleven responded.

"Oh boy," Kazooie cooed, ducking her face in Banjo's backpack.

"We had been together for five years, and not once have you told us about Steve," Joker noted, relaxing his arms. "Care to explain? We're rather curious about what we had to deal with for no apparent reason." Banjo sighed, scratching the back of his ears.

"You really wanna know who this Steve person was?" Banjo asked. Joker and the Hero nodded, ready to know the truth.

"Alright then," Kazooie responded. "You ready?" The Phantom Thief and the Luminary then took a dive into the past of the Breegull and the bear, hearing about their story with Steve.

"It all started when Sonic the Hedgehog arrived in our world, just far west of Kong Island in the Banana Sea off the map of the Mushroom Kingdom," Banjo began. "The blue rodent had finished with his participation in the land's version of the Olympic Games, and he had time to race around with me and Kazooie for a while. When we lost, Sonic reminded us of a gateway to another land deep in Click Clock Wood thanks to the ongoing rumors we had never heard of."

"Probably a big mistake when the hedgehog told us before he left, because we found ourselves falling through a square-shaped pit," Kazooie spoke. "Thankfully, we made it to the other side with a way of returning."

"That was when Steve came in," Banjo said. "He looked rather friendly, with an expressionless face made out of pixels and fully formed out of blocks. There was no hyperrealistic skin, clothes, or anything. He had that goofy beard smile of his, which was also pixelated. The sad thing was he could not leave his world through the same way we got in. Despite him being unable to talk, we quickly got friendly with him."

"Steve showed us around the place," Kazooie continued. "We saw it was all made out of pixelated blocks like he was. Through no words or emotions, we saw that this place was as big as our imaginations, and that we could build whatever we wanted within the world's limits. We went on many adventures, which involved the following: raiding temples for treasure, mining valuable ores, fighting monsters, traveling to different worlds, brewing, breeding farm animals, crafting, a whole lot of stuff we couldn't do before in our world. We were the best of friends."

"That was… until the accident," Banjo told his friends. "It all started one day, when Kazooie and I were traveling with Steve through a forest of dark oaks, fighting zombies and skeletons hiding in the shade of the leaves. All of a sudden, we had discovered a mysterious pit. The entrance was covered with needles, and its shape was irregular and non-square. For whatever reason, Kazooie and I could hear… voices. Strange, ghostly voices. This would be normal to us, but not in Steve's world. Our cubic friend built a safe way down, and we followed him through it. Once we got to the bottom, we saw it was nothing more than an empty room. Steve, rather curious about what was in the dirt, dug straight ahead while we lingered behind. However, Steve left behind a note that he can only communicate through, telling us to wait for him back at his place. That was when we started to get… terrified about the place.

"We thought the screams of the undead were getting louder, and they did not come from the mobs or this blocky world. They were something far more sinister and unnatural. Steve did not seem to care for the noises since he had gotten used to surviving in the wilderness far more than Kazooie and I had. Stuff that was clearly not one of Mumbo's spell pranks started dancing around our heads, and we bolted right for the one-way entrance for escaping once we saw… two words. Two words of pink that spelt, 'She's watching'. We left the cave, waiting for Steve until midnight came. And when he got back… he didn't feel the same."

"When Steve returned, we noticed he could now blink his eyes, which was a little creepy for us," Kazooie spoke. "What was weirder still was the fact that he offered us an MP3 which played… I wanted to say 'Take on Me' but it was nothing more than a young boy screaming the lyrics with a Minecraft parody twist. Because the song itself hurt to listen, Banjo and I shut off the music entirely.

"Things got even stranger afterwards. Everyday, when we arrived in the Overworld, Steve was always off checking out the strange pit we discovered which was now identified with a bunch of torches and a sign that spelt 'SECRET PLACE'. We would usually do things on our own, and every night, Steve arrived, looking more fluid and human-like. He could move his beard like a mouth now and talk. He told us how glad he had Banjo and I here, and he really wished he said that before. Even the local villagers were being creeped out by this new Steve."

"He would always present to us a new parody song based off this world, each one worse than the last," Banjo resounded. "Such examples included: parodies of 'When I Met You in Summer', 'Closer', 'DJ Got Us Falling in Love Again', 'Eye of the Tiger', 'What Does the Fox Say', and a bunch of copyrighted songs as well as original bangers like 'Gold Digger' and 'Fight Like A Girl'. We were sure we would go deaf by how loud and obnoxious they were, and our suicidal rates increased significantly. One day, Steve didn't return from his adventure for months, so Kazooie and I took it upon ourselves to investigate the strange cave we found. Once we entered, we took no risks as we traveled through the tunnel Steve dug up."

"What we saw were gateways to many dimensions, all of which were huddled into some sort of hive," Kazooie went on. "It may sound beautiful, sure. But what we saw scarred us for life. It was the Steve we saw earlier in the labyrinth, becoming rather crazy about the changes happening to him. He believed that if he stayed around longer, he can find the secrets about the outside world we came from, and we were pretty much nothing more than tools to him. He thought our friendship for the past few months was all a lie, and he wanted to corrupt our world just like he already did in ways other than that parody music he played for us. We wouldn't let him.

"After an intense fight, Steve, fully changed into the monster you've seen him, was dangling over the edge, pleading for salvation. He wanted to be forgiven, but… he went too far beyond that point. Kazooie and I… we just left him to fall to his rumored death. We permanently sealed off the entrance into the cave, and we never saw him again."

"We didn't want to tell you guys because we were afraid you might fall into the same corruption that touched what was once our friend from another world," Banjo finished. "We wanted to protect you from the same fate." Ireburn simply laid a hand on the bear's shoulder, shaking his head.

"We won't fall for any kind of corruption," Eleven answered. "Why do you two think we survived the Movement of the Light? Besides, we get rid of Galeem and Dharkon, we get rid of the strange force that also got rid of your friend."

"You also have us at the moment, so that counts for something… right?" Joker asked. Banjo then hugged the two Smashers, with Kazooie nuzzling between their heads.

"We're glad you understand," Banjo said.


Up on the deck, Sonic the Hedgehog walked up to the deck, approaching Solid Snake. The mercenary was smoking a pack of cigarettes, taking a quick puff of the first one. The blue speedster stretched himself so he was grabbing onto the rails, and he looked beyond the vast landscape. He saw broken chunks of rock floating in the distance, covered with nature growing out of control and cities torn apart. Crystals and exotic plants illuminated the darkness, showing monster and creatures from Subspace dancing in the thundering clouds above and below. Sonic then looked back at Snake, who just took out his cigarette and blew a small cloud of smoke.

"You know those can kill you, right?" Sonic asked. "Gimme one." Snake then handed the blue hedgehog an unlit cigarette, by which Sonic snapped his fingers and a tiny flame ignited on his thumb. He lit it on the right side and took a small, quick inhale. Once he got the cigarette away from his mouth, Sonic began coughing with smoke streaming out of his mouth. The blue hedgehog quickly doused the lit cigarette with a drop of his water ability, tossing the cigarette off the ship.

"I can tell you're not really much of a smoker," Snake humorously spoke, crushing the cigarette he lit for himself and tossing it off the side. He placed the pack in his pockets, rubbing Sonic's head. The mercenary looked at the destroyed world, feeling rather sorry for the landscape.

"Do you think the rest of our friends might make it out there without us?" Sonic asked.

"Who knows?" Snake answered in the form of a question. "They might just find new pals to help them in this fight."

Chapter 73: Dracula's Castle

Summary:

Group B makes their way down to a sub-area reminiscent of Dracula's Castle, fighting monsters and Dharkon's forces along the way.

Chapter Text

Far off into the southeast, Group B went down through solid ground mixed with tons of years and cogs normally found in clockwork. The fighters in that team were Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Peach, Dr. Mario, Falco, Diddy Kong, and the Mii Swordfighter. As stated earlier, their goal is to take care of the boss hiding down in this part of the world, hoping to defeat him and bring them another step closer to Dharkon. A lot boom echoed throughout the sky, coming from the southwest in the Sacred Land.

"Did you guys hear that!?" Peach asked, covering her ears from the sonic blast.

"Yep," Gilbert responded. "Looks like our pals down southwest took care of their business and are waiting for the rest of us to finish."

"Then let's get going and rescue some more of our pals," Falco replied, twirling his blaster as he went off to the gigantic broken clock floating in the abyss. Right at the tip of the minute hand was a blue portal leading to a subarea. The small team of fighters kept their eyes on that portal as they dashed towards the portal, but they suddenly felt a rumbling noise before Dr. Mario in front of the team set his foot on the rusty brass. Soon, they began feeling the ground crack underneath them, and a large demon skull sprung out, with a Primary jumping off the heavy object. She appeared to be Lucina, possessed by Caeda. The possessed warrior from a distance future jumped up and charged straight for the fighters, but the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn blocked her attack through a counter.

The Lucina Primary then jumped back and slashed open the locked shell, which began to growl a stunning roar. The Smashers looked in horror as they saw what was believed to be the toughest enemy in the Underworld Army: the Clubberskull. This fleshy heart-looking monster began beating its body rapidly as it looked down upon the Smashers with a furious rage. It used its two limbs like clubs, swinging them at the Lucina Primary and knocking her away.

"Oh boy," Falco groaned. "This again?"

"Well, that thing doesn't look so tough, so…?" Peach responded before she quickly dodged the Clubberskull's heavy swings. The princess and the other fighters got ready to attack while the Mii Swordfighter rushed towards the Lucina Primary, who was just getting up. Each of the Smashers began dodging the swinging club arms of the Clubberskull, while Gilbert clanged swords ferociously with the Parallel Falchion of the captured fighter.

"Pikachu! Jigglypuff! Use whatever specials you have on that beast!" Dr. Mario commanded. The two Pokémon that went with the team began using their specials, with Pikachu using Skull Bash and Jigglypuff using Rest. For the latter, Falco zipped while glowing blue, grabbing Jigglypuff from the Clubberskull's swinging arms. Its single eye stared at the fighters, slamming its fists into the ground and pulling itself closer to them. Diddy Kong hopped onto the Clubberskull, tugging on its tissue skin and trying to claw his way into the tough center, and Peach assisted him with her turnips.

Gilbert slashed hard at the Lucina Primary, scratching her face. If his sword were any closer, she would have died from that, but she continued to keep attacking the Mii Swordfighter for that. Then, the Clubberskull crushed the Lucina Primary when it spotted Gilbert and dashed towards him. Dr. Mario used his Dr. Cyclone move, hitting the Clubberskull from behind multiple times in a row. Upon this powerful attack, the most powerful beast from the Underworld Army succumbed and fell, with the Mii Swordfighter hopping out of the way before he was crushed by the falling body.

The Clubberskull's heavy weight crumbled the thin ground it was lying on, falling deep into the abyss before it could wake up. Soon, there was a faint glow of red, and the glowing body of Lucina ascended to the front of the group. The descendent of Marth fell unconsciously on the brass of the colossal clock, and both the Caeda Spirit and the shattered Dharkon Lock floated away in the black sky. Lucina, having her mind asleep for ten years, groaned as she opened her blue eyes for the first time.

"What the-? Where am I?" Lucina asked, looking at the fighters that rescued her. "You… you saved me!"

"Well, looks like you're back," Falco spoke. "It's been a full ten years since you've been captured alongside many others, but we're taking the advantage of the constant logic of this world. We're hoping you can help us what's beyond the portal." Lucina looked back upon the colossal clock, hearing the mighty ticks echo throughout the abyss without the ringing of an hour. The portal remained blue with an eerie glow of things to come, reminding the warrior princess about what lay beyond.

"Of course I do," Lucina responded, watching as the Dark Puppets and the Subspace Army slid around on the broken cogs and could. "Follow me." Lucina and the other fighters traveled around the slow-spinning arms of the clock, with Falco and Diddy Kong shooting the enemies that spotted them on their peaceful walk to the portal. After the fighters made it through safely, they were greeted by an entrance into a large castle.

"Welcome… to Dracula's Castle," Lucina spoke. The Smashers walked across the crumbling cobblestone path which fell into the abyss far behind them. From what they could tell, this was the exact same castle each of the Belmonts throughout history had taken down Dracula for over a thousand years. It was kind of in their family to be honest. Thankfully, due to the altered rules that changed constantly, it pretty much wasn't a bother.

"So we just go in and kill the guy who runs the place?" Falco asked. "Because we can totally do that. Alright then." The anthropomorphic falcon pilot pushed opened the humongous gates of the castle, letting the deep creaking of the rusted hinges echo through the empty halls as a sign of the monsters living within know who is intruding on this dark night. The fighters entered through the gate, surprised by how huge it was.

"Wow," Peach gasped with awe. "Not even Bowser has a castle like that whenever he kidnaps me and shows me around his place." Her hips then brushed against an unloaded cannon, startling her. She looked at the strange weapon just sitting there, collecting dust. The Smashers noticed this piece of detail too and stared at the weapon on wheels.

"Looks-a like this cannon is already in a locked position," Dr. Mario noted. "All we need is a cannonball to fit it into that thing. But why?"

"That," Lucina answered, pointing the small group towards a ghost. The ghost itself was of a purple mist with red eyes and sharp teeth, blocking the stairway up. "These bastards send you back to the entrance of the room when you touch them, and they can only be cleared by these cannons. Guess we better look around the place and see what we find."

The fighters looked around the empty room, and Pikachu suddenly noticed an open tomb near the stone wall, the faint glow of the moonlight shining down upon a rotting corpse wrapped up in bandages and holding a cannonball. The Pokémon quickly grabbed ahold of the huge bullet, surprised it was way lighter than it looked. The mummified corpse was disturbed from its sleep, and it raised itself up and got out of its tomb. Pikachu looked back at the monster, charging up a forward smash before the mummy could grab him. The Pokémon dropped the cannonball in the process and knocked back the mummy into dust and wrappings, with the cannonball rolling into Falco's feet. The anthropomorphic pilot picked up the ball, and the fighters saw him with the thing.

"I suppose I can put this thing in then," Falco reminded, carefully sliding the ball into the cannon. The feathers in his hands brushed against the gunpowder coating the inside of the cannon, surprised it didn't expire.

"Everybody stand back," Lucina warned. The team got behind Falco as he grabbed ahold of the string attached to the cannon, firing the cannon at the ghost. The cannonball managed to hit the ghost, and the monster combusted into a swarm of blood-thirsty bats, their eyes glowing red with lust. The Smashers attacked these small winged rodents, with Falco burning most of them down with his up special.

Once the swarm of bats was gone, the Smashers climbed up the stairs, scaling to the broken rooftops. Ghosts and demons emerged on the roof, making the fighters engage in a short fight with these creatures. Diddy Kong did flips in the air and whacked the monsters with his monkey feet while Jigglypuff used Rollout on the grounded enemies. Dr. Mario and Lucina placed their backs against each other while they jabbed and hit the incoming monsters. Once the area seemed to be clear, the Smashers decided to continue up the stairs before they were interrupted by slow, sarcastic clapping.

"Congratulations on making it this far," a voice spoke from the Daisy Primary behind them. She glided like Peach to the broken roof they were standing on, the Spirit possessing the Princess of Sarasaland revealed to be Elma, who was first spotted in New Los Angeles. The Daisy Primary slowly approached the small team of fighters, with Peach stepping up in front of the captured fighter.

"Daisy's pretty much a copy of me in terms of moveset," Peach said. "We clearly have equal power, but I'm better at using said power. Watch me." Peach thrusted her hips at the Daisy Primary, and the captured fighter used the same move as well. Their Bomber moves clashed with each other, creating a rippling effect between the two and knocking them back. Peach and the Daisy Primary then started using their forward aerials, turnips, down aerials, and many more of their toolkit while the Smashers in the small group simply sat back and watched. With enough luck, Peach pulled out a Bob-omb and threw it at the captured fighter before she followed up with strong and fast attacks.

Peach was constantly glide-canceling and spamming forward aerials, making the Daisy Primary unable to pull out a blue Toad and counter the attack. The Princess of the Mushroom Kingdom managed to use her Bomber move once more and knock out the Daisy Primary, pretty much winning the match. The captured fighter, trying to get up from the rubble of the castle, collapsed from her wounds. Daisy's Dharkon Lock shattered into the red mist, with the Elma Spirit floating away with it into the hazy moonlit sky.

"Oh… oh my…" Daisy groaned, slowly getting up. The Princess of Sarasaland looked around the rooftop of Dracula's castle, surprised by the state of the place. She noticed how dark it was, crumbling to the brim. For a vampire that preferred his castle to be tidy, it sure was a major mess. But that was supposedly expected when you have a bunch of monsters as your servants/guards.

"Where… Where am I?" Daisy asked, brushing her orange-yellow skirt.

"You're in Draxia, just like everyone else is at this point," Dr. Mario answered. "You could very well probably be one of the many souls trapped in Dracula's castle.

"So you're trying to get to Dracula Vlad Tepes, huh?" Daisy asked. "Well, I know a place that'll surely get you closer to him. Follow me." Group B followed the brunette princess up the stairs, stopping in place as she suddenly came across a large platform that was blocking a hole on top of a tower. The hole in the tower had a ladder that led straight down. Jigglypuff looked around the place until she spotted a level just at where the tower met the roof below the stairs. She gently floated to the level like a balloon, pulling it.

This triggered something in the platform blocking the way down, because it was suddenly standing up vertically, allowing the passage through. The fighters readied their weapons, preparing to attack whoever or whatever was in the hole, for they knew that there could be an ambush. Once Jigglypuff floated her way over there, she was suddenly hit by a large fart cloud. Daisy quickly grabbed ahold of Jigglypuff as the Smashers looked behind to see the Wario Primary fanning his behind, who was possessed by Thanatos. As gargoyles and winged demons climbed on top of the roof onto the tower, the Wario Primary snatched Jigglypuff from Daisy's hands. A vortex spawned behind the Wario Primary, taking himself and the lightweight Pokémon to the Final Destination version of WarioWare Inc., where Jigglypuff was tossed in front of his speeding motorbike.

Jigglypuff quickly floated in the air, keeping an eye out for the Wario Primary as he turned around and rode on the back wheel. The Pokémon used her back air and continued a string of back airs on the captured fighter, twirling in place as she used her downward aerial. She tossed the Wario Primary his bike before she used Rest off-stage, knocking the captured fighter straight into the upper blast zone. Jigglypuff was then frozen in place as the Thanatos Spirit emerged out of Wario's body, surrounding him with a stronger, faster barrier as he still thought it was worthy of defense. Jigglypuff simply fired the Spirit Sniper within her stubby hands, shattering the Dharkon Lock and freeing both Wario and the Thanatos Spirit.

Jigglypuff returned to the top of the tower with Wario's unconscious body with her, shocked when she found the whole roof covered with demon bodies, Shadow Bugs that retreated as soon as they saw her, and pale rubble with claws and wings. The fighters in Group B were successful in the fight, and they hoped to continue the mission with this much luck. Wario, after ten years of being asleep, slowly opened his eyes.

"What's-a going on here?" Wario asked, quickly sitting up with no recollection of Dharkon's invasion.

"Same as you, tough guy," Daisy answered, shrugging her shoulders.

"We're here to hunt down Dracula, the owner of this castle," Lucina answered.

"We've… been around for a while longer and are trying to defeat all the bosses of the three sub-worlds located here, and we're wondering if you can help us," Gilbert responded. Wario scratched his biker cap, thinking about his answer.

"Just here to get back home and swim in my loot," Wario answered. "If this is-a what you think we should do in order to return to our homeworlds, then so be it!"

"Great-a!" Dr. Mario cheered, giving a thumbs up. "Let's-a go!" The doctor clone slid down the ladder inside the tower, followed by Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Falco, Lucina, Wario, Diddy Kong, and the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn. When the Smashers touched ground, they noticed they were in the cold, damp basement. The wood holding and supporting the beams was soggy and filed with maggots, and there were more ghosts, cannons, and levers to change the angles of the platforms just like the one that blocked the top of the tower. Bats and flying heads hung upside-down on the stone ceiling, diving in for their prey.

While the fighters were attacking the flying monsters, Falco Lombardi noticed that the way to the other side was blocked off by a ghost, and the only cannon facing its direction was at a different angle. So, he grabbed a cannonball, flipped several switches, and made sure that the stringing cannons and platforms made this work. Once the Star Fox pilot pulled the string of the first cannon, a cannonball fired and bounced off the multiple platforms while ramming into the bats and flying heads as well as those until the basement was cleared.

Falco, after seeing that things were calmed down, made his way to the exit, his blaster held in his hands. The crew also followed behind him. Before Falco took another step, Diddy Kong saw violet, menacing eyes glowing in the darkness of the way out. Once the captured fighter's mouth began glowing with flames, the monkey grabbed ahold of Falco and fired his Peanut Popgun at the monster hiding in the shadows. The captured fighter dashed out, latching onto Diddy Kong and grinding him against the stone walls. Pikachu used Quick Attack and pulled the enemy off the monkey with his electrical attacks. As the fighters got up and surrounded the captured fighter, they found out he was the Ridley Primary, possessed by the Dark Emperor. Subspace creatures and zombies arose from the ground, slowly approaching the fighters.

"You take care of these guys!" the Mii Swordfighter told the group as he pulled out his sword. "I'll take care of Ridley by myself!" The ex-Ultimate Reborn struck his sword against the Ridley Primary's tough hide, creating sparks that stung the captured fighter's eyes. Gilbert began twirling around with his sword in the air, slashing hard and clean until the Ridley Primary was seen with cuts on his scales. As the group was busy with swatting the monsters on the ground, the Mii Swordfighter stacked combos after combos, dealing massive damage to the Ridley Primary. The captured fighter began slashing with his tail, claws, and even wings, hoping to grab and touch the Mii Fighter.

Gilbert quickly counter-attacked, knocking the Ridley Primary back and using a forward smash. With one slash, the Mii Swordfighter cut through the head of the Ridley Primary, winning the battle and defeating the captured fighter. The monsters retreated back underground, and the fighters looked back to see the unconscious body of Ridley shatter free from the Dharkon Lock. The red mist and the Dark Emperor Spirit floated away, never to reunite with the last Space Pirate. Ridley, slowly waking up, held onto his head as he looked at the group of fighters.

"Uh… did I miss something?" Ridley asked.

"A lot," Wario answered. "We've been out for ten years and our pals had to deal with our losses. Suppose you can join us in this fight."

"And that I can," Ridley responded with a smug grin on his scaly face. "If we make it to the other side up these stairs, we might just find a way to Dracula's throne room. Follow us." Daisy and Wario joined Ridley's side as they climbed up the wooden stairs to the storage closets, and the rest of the group followed after them.

Little did they know that there was another challenger waiting for them upstairs. That challenger was also one of the many fighters to survive the Movement of the Light and has not shown his or her face… until now.

Chapter 74: The Legendary Hungry Wolf

Summary:

As the fighters in the castle get into danger, a warrior powered by the chi in the earth rescues them, revealing himself to be another survivor.

Chapter Text

Group B made their way up the stairs, their hands brushing against the rough, cold cobblestone walls. Bits of the cement holding the bricks above their heads were beginning to flake and fall out, but not by much to cave in upon the Smashers.

"I… was not expecting so much from this," Gilbert sighed. "All this fighting. All these ambushes. Why does this keep happening? Is it really worth it? These are the questions I'm most worried about asking. I'm hoping you guys understand…"

"We understand completely," Daisy answered with a cheerful heart. "After all, that's what friends are for!"

"Through thick or thin, we will break through and come out victorious!" Falco spoke. "We've faced with much crazier crap before in our lifetimes. Why is this time any different?"

"Oh, I dunno…" the Mii Swordfighter responded with sarcasm. "Maybe it's because the enemies we're facing are brothers who hate each other. One wants perfection and restriction of freedom, the other threatens to destroy all rules and make anything possible. If any side wins, it results in defeat. OUR defeat."

The other fighters did not know how to respond to this situation. They were trapped in a castle filled with Dracula's monsters that work for Dharkon. Supporters and Primaries can ambush them at any point. What matters is that they take down the Seraphim of Order and Chaos and stop this madness there and now. Whatever was going to happen next surely would not be good if they don't do something.

Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Dr. Mario, Falco, Lucina, Wario, Diddy Kong, Ridley, and the Mii Swordfighter managed to go up the stairs only to be met by a dead end: a large stone wall. Wario simply walked up to the front of the group and began winding up his fist, charging a powerful forward smash to break down the wall. As the group peaked out, they noticed by the stonework that they just came out from a large fireplace according to the ashes they were stepping on. The fireplace frame itself was carved and decorated with human bones, the faint candlelight melting the wax onto some of the skulls.

The room itself was large and vast, with pillars supporting the domed roof. Glassy chandlers hung from the ceiling, their crystalline ornaments reflecting the moonlight into faint rainbows on the cold floor and carpets. There were holes in the floor covered by vents, which easily led to the furnace deep within the castle as a means to warm up the ballroom.

"Good Lord, this place is freezing," Falco sighed, ruffling his blue feathers. "Would be nice if they heated up the place once in a while." As soon as Falco said that, one of the lids covering the furnace vents blasted off from a fiery pillar, which was already under the anthropomorphic fighter's bionic leg at the time. Falco quickly backed away to prevent his leg from melting, he and his pals surprised by the huge blast of fire burning on the floor. The vent then cooled down, and the flame pillar sunk into the floor. Plenty more of the vents were bursting with fire and scaring off the vampire bats hanging from the ceiling.

There were plenty of monsters and Supporters crawling out from the different cracks in the room, with the Shadow Bugs escaping from the vents unburnt. Spiders slithered down their thin but strong webs, the gargoyles spread open their stone wings and roared as they stretched. The living statues crashed through the stained-glass windows, meeting up with the Primids, Supporters, and mummies approaching the Smashers slowly.

"Everybody, get behind me," Lucina spoke, pointing her Parallel Falchion at the monsters surrounding the group.

"No way!" Ridley spoke out, his mouth dripping with a flammable acid. "If you're gonna keep us covered, then I'm going with you!"

"There's too many for us to take down…" Peach held on tight to the vegetable she plucked up, her gloved-white fingers clenching tightly to the long, thick leaves. "Even with our combined strength, I don't think there would be enough to escape this room." Both Peach and Daisy quickly jumped out of the way when they found out they were standing on another vent about to erupt with a flaming pillar. The princesses watched in horror as the flame pillar exploded outside, nearly burning their long skirts.

"I guess this is the end, huh?" Falco nervously chuckled, he and the fighters backing up to the fireplace. "Well I ain't going down like this. We're gonna have to fight back!"

"Before we go down, there's something I wanna get out of my chest-a," Wario sighed with guilt. "Years ago, back when we were attending the Olympic Games, I would-a always leave my boogers inside Mario's cap whenever we went to the showers in the boy's locker room." The fighters looked at Wario, their faces filled with utter regret, with Dr. Mario turning a pale white in the face.

"That's gross…!" Gilbert exclaimed in utter disgust.

"So that's-a why my hair felt-a sticky after I showered, back when Mario and I were one and the same person…" Dr. Mario muttered, scratching his brown hair.

"No more talking about each other's snot!" Falco called out, pointing his blaster at the charging monsters and Supporters. "We've got company!" Incoming gargoyles dove straight for the group, their stone fangs grinding against their hardened beaks. However, before any of the gargoyles could lay a hand on one of the Smashers, they were suddenly launched to the group's right. The moving winged statues shattered the second they rammed into the stone floor, with nothing but rubble remaining.

"What the-? Who's there!?" Daisy asked. The other monsters stopped for a brief moment before they turned around to face the opponent that attacked them. And the other fighters were surprised by the new challenger waiting for them to arrive in Dracula's Castle.

The fighter's structure was rather fit, and his fingerless black gloves showcased a burning flame hotter than the furnace below the ballroom. The new fighter was wearing a white t-shirt with a red vest and blue jeans, his flowing blond hair tied behind his head and hidden under a red-and-white cap which read "Fatal Fury".

"Power Geyser!" the stranger cried, jumping high into the air and clenching his flaming fist. The monsters charged right for the stranger until he rammed his fist into the ground, creating a shockwave that knocked back Dharkon's soldiers. He used a variety of martial arts moves completely different from Ryu and Ken to fight back against the monsters. A fireball charged up in the stranger's hands and was released into one of the empty vents, traveling down the furnace and overheating it.

The stranger used his powers to suddenly sense the group in the same room, and he quickly grabbed each and every one of them. As he ran out, the monsters chased after the mysterious fighter before they were engulfed in a powerful explosion that covered up the entire ballroom.

The Mii Swordfighter, Ridley, Wario, Lucina, Daisy, Peach, Dr. Mario, Falco, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Diddy Kong all squirmed out of the stranger's clutches once they escaped the collapsing ballroom. Each one of the fighters looked up to see the stranger holding out his hand. He grabbed ahold of Peach's delicate hand and gently lifted her back up, letting her adjust her balance.

"Sorry to handle you like that, Fair Lady," the stranger chuckled, delicately kissing her hand. Peach went red in the face, looking away in embarrassment while giggling. Daisy, filled with a bit of jealousy, got herself up and stormed to the new companion.

"Uh… what about me?" Daisy asked, giving the stranger a suspicious glare.

"Oh, yeah… sorry…" the stranger chuckled, rubbing the back of his head. "I'm Terry Bogard, otherwise known as the Legendary Hungry Wolf. I take it you people haven't been around the block a few times, haven't you?"

"We… just woke up here," Lucina answered, keeping her blade by her waist. "Some of us have no idea it had been ten years ever since our capture."

"Oh, ten years," Terry responded with familiarity. "Right… that was the time Dharkon took over against his brother, right?" The faces of the Smashers lit up in surprise, suddenly knowing that this new guest is talking about the Seraphim of Order and Chaos.

"You know about Dharkon?" Gilbert asked in shock. "We've been hunting him down ever since Galeem was defeated, and we really thank you for saving us back at the ballroom."

"Just doing my job, birdie," Terry spoke with a boastful voice, adjusting his cap. "Plus, I don't really think I need a helping hand ever since I split up from the Forgotten Resistance days ago…"

Forgotten… Resistance? Is that what this new guest said? Did he just admit he worked for the rebellion long before the fighters saved from Galeem woke up?

"You wouldn't happen to be one of the survivors of the Movements of Light and Darkness, would you?" Dr. Mario asked. The non-blood son of Jeff Bogard looked at the Prescriber, shaking his head and chuckling.

"Of course I am. Why would you say that?"

"It's just we met up with a… few of your friends back at the Undying Light," Peach spoke. "They're alive and well. Don't worry."

"Oh, thank God," Terry sighed. "I was becoming worried about Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie…"

"Who're… Banjo & Kazooie?" Falco asked. From Terry's perspective, these fighters clearly haven't seen the bear and Breegull duo at all. This was pretty obvious considering they were only found by Group A.

"All we know is that Joker and the Hero left with Group A southwest, and Piranha Plant is with Group C," Falco answered. "I don't think we have any idea who Banjo & Kazooie are. Maybe we can meet up with them once we… defeat Dracula Vlad Tepes."

"I see…" Terry spoke, looking back at the empty hallway. "Well then, I suppose we make our way to Dracula's throne room and slay the vampire. I've been wandering these halls for quite some time. Perhaps I can give you a tour?" The other fighters nodded, already getting up and preparing for their adventure.

"Oh? You wanna get going already?" Terry asked again.

"Lots of our friends are still trapped in the darkness, and we need to rescue all of them as quickly as possible," Wario responded. Terry Bogard then adjusted his cap and popped his knuckles once he heard the news, running straight for the staircase to take the Smashers to the next room at the end of the hall. However, upon reaching the first step, Terry's senses picked up again, feeling some power and raw energy coming from… above him?

The Legendary Hungry Wolf quickly jumped back once he heard a flaming fist burn up above him, surprised out of his wits when he saw the Ken Primary land right in front of the group.

"Ken? Hey, wassup, buddy? I haven't seen you since the crossover days!" Terry spoke, cheerfully waving towards the captured fighter. The South Town Hero then looked behind himself to see the group he was traveling with huddle behind him, readying their weapons. Terry looked back at the Ken Primary, noticing the captured fighter was possessed by a powerful rival known as Akuma.

"I… take it he's not your friend?" Terry asked, shrugging shortly after. "That's fine. I got it from here…" Terry planted his fists in the stone floor, gathering the chi found within the castle. The Hungry Wolf powered himself to a stronger level and quickly parried the Ken Primary's foot as soon as he saw it flying towards his face.

Terry did a roundabout kick, his red sneakers burning bright with flames as he began hitting the captured fighter at the arms. The Ken Primary tried to use a Focus Kick, but Terry quickly ducked and grabbed the leg. His burning fingers scalded the captured fighter's bare foot, the Ken Primary screaming in pain. Terry managed to throw the captured fighter at the wall and used his Burn Knuckle move before the possessed Smasher could react.

Due to his blistered foot, the Ken Primary could only hop in place and do his best to balance himself as he tried to unleash a charged Hadoken. Terry Bogard quickly reacted and continued attacking the captured fighter with his Hakkyokuseiken technique, building up plenty of damage to finish off the Ken Primary while the other fighters in the group simply watched in awe.

Terry simply sent out his Power Wave move to finish the job, instantly KO-ing the Ken Primary with a soft touch. As the captured fighter succumbed to the Legendary Hungry Wolf, the tendrils of the Dharkon Lock slithered around Ken's body, shattering into the red mist. Both the mist and the Akuma Spirit flew out of the castle, leaving Ken's Fighter Spirit to reunite with his true vessel.

Ken, for the first time after ten years, opened his eyes to see Terry's hand reaching out to him. He was rather confused when he saw this strange warrior kneeling before him, thinking about how Terry managed to survive Galeem's attack.

"Terry?" Ken asked, standing up with a confused face. "Out of any of the fighters that could've rescued me, you're the one who saves me from Dharkon?"

"Yeah, I suppose," Terry answered, walking up the stairs. He looked back at Group B, with Peach and Daisy already helping Ken onto his feet.

"C'mon, people," Terry reminded. "In a haunted castle like this, there's no time for slowing down." Hearing the wailing noises of several ghosts, the members of the group followed Terry up the stairs, ready to take down Dracula.


Deep within the darkness of the Dharkon Void, the Seraph of Chaos watched the second group traverse through the long stairway, taking down winged monsters and Supporters, with Terry Bogard burning most of the foul creatures down. Just then, Mephiles, disguising himself as a Spirit, arrived behind Dharkon.

"I know you have tried your best, Mephiles," Dharkon softly growled, his blue eye looking at the crystalline hedgehog Spirit. "Despite transforming into a beast that could have slain the group in the Sacred Land, it was not enough to fully take them down… isn't it?"

"First of all, the Triforce of this land wasn't even real, and the rodent you let escape… Sonic, was it? He… managed to use the Master Sword of that realm and slay me as Ganon, the Demon King," Mephiles responded.

"I suppose after that terrifying encounter, I could give you a long vacation," Dharkon spoke. "Go for now. Your services are no longer required in this situation."

"Very well…" In the blink of an eye, Mephiles vanished, not once having his disguise uncovered. However, before he vanished, the small Insaniton poked out of his crystalline spines. That tiny slime was a sign of things to come. Dark, horrible things. Only Tabuu noticed this as he tugged on the Chains of Darkness, trying to escape. Alas, the Construct God was bound to the bars of Galeem's cage, where the seraphic dragon laid bound up in his restraints and shackles. A small smile creeped up on his face as he watched the Hungry Wolf tackle the ghosts and zombies on the roof with fiery fists through Dharkon's magical mirror.

"This new guest that has emerged from your shadows… Terry Bogard, isn't it?" Galeem asked his brother. "He sure looks like a challenging opponent. Look at the way he fights: an orphaned boy forced to grow up on the streets, attacking like a vicious canine with the lustful fire of action and danger. Surely, he sees you as his greatest challenge yet. Do you wish to give up now to avoid your blood on his fiery hands?" Dharkon's single eye looked back at the Seraph of Order, his breath growling like a dragon's.

"My servants will drag him down to the bottomless abyss of this world," Dharkon responded. "Give him time, and he will surely fall…"

Chapter 75: The Clock Tower

Summary:

Climbing up to Dracula's throne room, the Smashers fight through swarms of enemies to get to their enemy.

Chapter Text

Back at Dracula's Castle, another gargoyle spotted the group traveling through the castle. Once it tried to fly towards them and attack them, it was met with a fiery fist from none other than Terry Bogard himself. The Legendary Hungry Wolf found himself in a pile of zombies who were trying to bite, claw, and feast on his flesh. Luckily, Falco and Ridley arrived in time and attacked the monsters, getting them off Terry's back.

"I really appreciate your help, guys!" Terry spoke with a cheerful heart as he looked back at the group of fighters pinning down bats, gargoyles, Supporters, and several spiders that crawled onto the hole in the roof they were now on. The South Town Hero looked up to the long ladder that led to the clock tower, its rusty gears slowly moving over time to the slow ticking, always staying at the hour of midnight and not letting the bells ring. Right next to the clock tower was Dracula's throne room.

"Let's go, people," Terry spoke, stretching his hands before he sparked them up with fire. "The sooner we get to that tower, the faster we can save our universes. Plus, in Draxia, there are more monsters than you can ever count, so keep your guards up."

Terry then grabbed ahold of the ladder, climbing his way up to the clock tower. Diddy Kong, Pikachu, Falco, Dr. Mario, Mii Swordfighter, Ridley, Wario, Jigglypuff, and Peach all followed behind the Hungry Wolf, with Daisy, Lucina, and Ken about to follow after them. Suddenly, the Princess of Sarasaland noticed a violet arrow of light speeding right towards Terry Bogard, much to his surprise.

"Terry, look out!" Daisy cried, throwing a wrinkly-faced turnip at the light arrow just as it was about to hit the newcomer's face. Terry and the other Smashers looked up to see not one, not two, but three of Dharkon's Primaries waiting at the top of the ladder, those being the captured bodies of Dark Pit, Robin, and Richter Belmont.

"Figured I would bump into you people eventually," Terry spoke, moving his head to quickly dodge a glass bottle of holy water the Richter Primary tossed out, which crashed into a small pillar of aura-based fire at the bottom. Shortly after, a wall of projectiles was sent out by the Primary team, with a load of violet light arrows, thunder and fire spells, and basically axes and crosses falling right on top of the fighters. The Dark Pit Primary jumped out of the clock tower, using his own Gift of Flight to glide straight for the Smashers.

Falco Lombardi quickly jumped off the ladder, hopping onto the heads of some of the fighters holding on and kicking out his reflector. The device the anthropomorphic bird used sent back most of the projectiles at the Robin and Richter Primaries, forcing them to hide in the clock tower. Falco's reflector also conveniently hit the Dark Pit Primary, stunning him to a point where he landed right in the middle of the small band with Daisy, Ken, and Lucina.

"You take care of the clock tower up there!" Ken assured the group, grabbing ahold of the Dark Pit Primary's neck. "We'll take care of this guy! We can just meet you up there!" Terry took those words as a sign and waved his hand upward, signaling the rest of the fighters to follow the South Town Hero.

"You… don't know who you're up against, don't you?" the Dark Pit Primary growled with a devastating, feminine voice completely different from the shadow angel. Bytans and Towtows stormed up the rooftop, charging straight for the three fighters. Lucina pushed against the brute force of one Towtow and pushed its body into multiple reproducing Bytans, and Daisy and Ken were busy avoiding the swinging blades of the Dark Pit Primary, who was possessed by the Amazonian nymph Pandora.

"For Dharkon's reign!" the captured fighter snapped, slashing straight for Ken. The Dark Pit Primary quickly used his Electroshock Arm, but Ken used his Focus Kick and tackled his possessed opponent. Daisy and Lucina were busy keeping the neverending wave of Towtows and Bytans away from Ken and the Dark Pit Primary until their partner threw the captured fighter at a nearby Bytan. That was when the two princesses stopped attacking and simply countered the rest of the enemies off the roof, leaving the three Smashers against the Dark Pit Primary.

"Alright, buddy. We can do this the easy way or the hard way." Ken rolled his neck side to side, cracking the bones in his spine as he clenched his fists. The Dark Pit Primary simply chuckled, his fingers flowing with a red aura as he draped his hand across his cheek.

"Who said there was a way in the World of Darkness?" Pandora's Spirit asked within the body of the shadow angel. The captured fighter split his weapon into two blades and ran towards the three Smashers while continuously yelling. Daisy got in the way of the Dark Pit Primary's forward smash, pulling out her blue Toad companion to protect her. The blades cut deep into the head of the blue Toad, and he began spitting out spores all over the captured fighter's black clothes.

Daisy then grabbed ahold of the Dark Pit Primary, tossing him around and walling him with aerials. Lucina did the same too, poking with her Parallel Falchion and helping Daisy build up damage. Once he was at a decent kill percentage, the captured fighter tried using his Gift of Flight to glide away before he was met with a fiery Shoryuken from Ken. Soon after that, the Dark Pit Primary's body smashed into the roof, creating more rubble than there already has been. The Dharkon Lock surrounding Dark Pit shattered, and the Pandora Spirit was freed. As soon as the red mist and the Spirit flew away from Dracula's Castle, the black-clothed angel woke up.

"Ugh…" Dark Pit trembled under his personal weight, trying to keep his posture upright as his opened his brown eyes to look at the cold, dark castle around him. He noticed Ken, Lucina, and Daisy surrounding him, and he stared at them with utter confusion.

"Where the hell am I?" Dark Pit asked.

"We could ask you the same thing," Ken answered, pulling Dark Pit onto his feet. Lucina put her weapon back in its sheath, grabbing ahold of the ladder and climbing it up to the clock tower.

"Our friends are probably waiting for us," Lucina told the Smashers. "When we meet up with them, we might have a shot at beating Dracula Vlad Tepes." When the warrior princess climbed up the ladder, Ken, Daisy, and Dark Pit followed without question.


Literally minutes earlier, the other fighters in the group followed Terry into the clock tower. The insides were filled with humungous gears, constantly moving in a slow manner. The only paths best to take were blocked by the untouchable ghosts, guarding the cannons necessary to knock down the clustered gears and get to Dracula's throne room.

Flying voodoo heads flew out of the cracks, their elongated mouths stretching to release their unholy screams as they flew straight for the group. Falco and Diddy Kong shot down multiple heads before they were tackled by many of them, but Dr. Mario trapped the voodoo heads attacking his two animal friends with his electrical-charged cape and swung them around like a punching bag. The prescriber eventually hit the voodoo heads so hard inside his cape that the dead heads fell into the cogs, clogging the gears and coils and forcing the whole clock tower to start shaking. The group saw it as their chance to run to the way towards the throne room while the waves upon waves of enemies were distracted.

Lucina, being the first fighter to climb up to the clock tower and get up to the floor, felt her fingers in one of her hands crushed by a strong boot. She cried in pain as she looked up to see the Robin Primary waiting for her up there.

"Why, it's nice meeting you here, Lucina," a familiar voice spoke from the captured fighter, twisting his foot and making the blue-haired princess gasp as her fingers were crushed. Ken, Daisy, and Dark Pit looked up to see the strange face make an appearance above them, surprised on what the Robin Primary was doing here.

"I know that voice…!" Lucina snarled, trying to grab her sword with her free hand. "Vladimir!"

"Surprised to see me?" the Robin Primary asked, pulling out his Levin Sword and tomes. "I'm no longer the useless, spineless coward you once saw me as! Within the darkness where I truly belong, I am at my real power!" Once the Robin Primary began charging up Thoron, Dark Pit jumped up behind his pals and kicked the captured fighter in the face. The black angel was then caught by the Robin Primary's Nosferatu spell, feeling his energy sapped away to benefit his enemy's health like a tapeworm. Ken and Daisy suddenly punched the Robin Primary in the face, knocking Dark Pit out of the Nosferatu spell.

As the other Smashers began attacking the demons and monsters slithering around the clock, trying to avoid touching the invincible ghosts, Terry Bogard took the time to look down and see the four fighters at the entrance of the clock tower struggling against the captured fighter and his campy projectiles.

"Robin…!" Lucina snapped, her sword clashing with the Robin Primary's. "I know you're in there, Robin! You have to fight back!"

"It's no use, princess!" Terry called out, punching an incoming gargoyle in the face with a flaming fist. "From what I've experienced and heard around these parts, their souls are separated from their bodies and completely replaced! You can't simply tell them to snap out of their senses because they aren't there! Lemme help ya!" Terry kicked down a nearby cog, which rolled onto the stone floor and stretched out the coil attached to it.

"What do you think you're doing!?" Ridley asked, slashing multiple voodoo heads with his tail.

"I'm a rebel who plays by my own rules," Terry answered. "But I'm gonna do what they call a pro move." The Legendary Hungry Wolf slid down the rusty coil, his legs extended and his sneakers coated in flames. As the Robin Primary was continuously spamming Arcfire, he had no idea he would be kicked in the back by Terry Bogard until it was too late. When the South Town Hero rammed his feet at the back, Ken, Dark Pit, Daisy, and Lucina stood back and watched as the Robin Primary was kicked out the clock tower, watching with horror as the captured fighter screamed while falling to his death.

All they heard was the sound of blood and flesh splattering as well as bones crunching. When Terry got back onto his feet, he saw the cogs and coils starting to fall apart within the clock tower. Just when things seemed to get intense, the red mist of the Dharkon Lock carried Robin's healthy body up to the entrance of where the ladder met with the clock tower. The red mist gently laid the tactician's unconscious body before it flew away from the castle with the Vladimir Spirit, never to return.

"Guys…?" Gilbert asked, he and his pals at the exit trying to adjust their balance on the tumbling gears while the ghosts flew towards them. "Grab Robin and let's get out of here!" Wasting no time, Ken slipped Robin's body onto his shoulders, and the four fighters followed after Terry as he tried to figure out how to get up to their pals without getting crushed by the tumbling cogs.

"Follow my footsteps, guys," Terry told the Smashers. The Hungry Wolf watched for the cogs falling throughout the clock tower, and he wasted no time jumping off gear after gear to get to the top. Like quails when they first learned how to walk, Ken carrying Robin, Dark Pit, Lucina, and Daisy all followed Terry as he moved across the cogs, scaring off nearby ghosts with his flaming fists. As soon as the insides of the clock tower collapsed, the Smashers at the bottom made it to the exit, where they met up with the rest of their friends.

"You could have died back there!" Dr. Mario sighed with content. "What is it with you and your crazy adventures?"

"Take it from someone who's grown up on the streets with no parents and has an only brother to raise, where every day is a constant battle for survival until a tournament held by the murderer of your adopted father changes everything," Terry Bogard answered, adjusting the Fatal Fury cap on his head and flipping his blond hair behind him. Just as Terry finished talking, Robin slowly started to wake up, squirming out of Ken's arms. The tactician rolled up on the floor, looking around the mysterious stairway he was on.

From what they could tell, it was a staircase leading from the clock tower to the throne room, several feet off the ground and lacking a railing. Surely any one of the fighters could fall off, therefore forcing them to back into the clock tower.

"We… should just go one at a time," Dark Pit spoke, watching some of the rocks dislodge from the staircase and fall from this towering height.

"Can't you fly if you fall off?" Terry asked Dark Pit. "I mean, you're an angel after all."

"It's not as simple as it looks," Dark Pit answered.

"Okay: can… anybody explain to me what's happening?" Robin resounded in the form of a question. "Because… I have no idea where we are or how long I was out-" Before Robin could finish, an axe sent out by the Richter Primary hit the Elwind tome the tactician was holding at the time, its blade stuck in the hard cover.

"The least you could do is keep your eyes open!" Ridley growled as he and the Smashers focused their attention at the last captured fighter in the castle waiting for them at the entrance of the throne room.

"Why, if it isn't the uninvited guests arriving to my father's seat," an intimidating, handsome voice spoke from the Richter Primary.

"Father?" Lucina asked. The image of the Master Legendary Spirit possessing Richter flashed on his chest, revealing the half-vampire Alucard.

"My time as an Assist Trophy is far from over," the Richter Primary renowned, the spiked end of the Vampire Killer lightly hitting the side of the stairway. Without question, Robin pulled out the axe from his tome and walked in from of the group, slipping the projectile into his long robe.

"It's time we tip the scales," Robin said. "Nobody hurts me and my friends and gets away with it, not even Dharkon himself!"

"Robin!" Lucina tried to get Robin to stand down, but the white-haired tactician began running towards the Richter Primary, his Levin Sword in one hand and an Arcfire tome in the other. The Richter Primary began spamming axes, crosses, and holy water bottles, forcing the other fighters to hide in the clock tower until things calmed down. Robin began using various spells like Thunder and Nosferatu.

Projectiles were flying everywhere around the bridge, both physical objects and magical spells. Soon, Robin's flurry spell from the Elwind tome and the Richter Primary's spinning chain whip clashed with each other. The two began rapidly jabbing, obviously showing no signs of stopping. It seemed to go on forever until Robin suddenly was becoming more cautious about how much of the spell he was using. Surely it would be the end of him if he didn't have enough of the Elwind spell to recover.

Once Robin closed his tome, he pulled out his lightning-powered Levin Sword as soon as he parried the final hit of the captured fighter's rapid jab. A small smirk gleamed on the tactician's face as he unleashed a forward smash, knocking the Richter Primary onto his feet. The possessed Belmont descendant was balancing himself over the edge of the stairway, quickly throwing his weapon at a surprised Robin.

"Foolish mortal," the Richter Primary sighed, spinning around and dragging Robin along with him. The captured fighter tossed the tactician off the stairway, with the fighters looking down in horror.

This is my chance… Robin thought, pulling out his Elwind tome. It was almost empty and near the brink of uselessness. Better make this count!

"Elwind!" Robin used the spell to boost himself back onto the stairway, catching the Richter Primary off-guard. The white-haired tactician pulled out the axe given to him before and wedged it into the captured fighter's skull.

"Checkmate!" Robin chuckled, standing back as the body of the Richter Primary simply rolled down the stairs. The Smashers watched the corpse until it stopped at the end, shielding their eyes from the bright light that enveloped Richter's body. The Dharkon Lock shattered into the red mist, floating away with the Alucard Spirit. Robin ran down the stairs and quickly held up Richter's head. The group gathered around the blue-clothed Belmont, watching as he opened his eyes. Like other reawakened fighters, Richter lacked the red aura and violet eyes of his captured self.

"Uh… did I miss something?" Richter asked, looking at the group that gathered around him.

"I literally asked that question!" Robin groaned out of frustration, covering his own face.

"Oh yeah!" Ken spoke, remembering something as he looked at the Legendary Hungry Wolf. "For those who don't know, this is Terry Bogard. Say hi, Terry." The only one of many survivors of Galeem's attack exposed himself out of the group, looking at those who haven't even been acquainted with him yet.

"Hi, I guess," Terry spoke, tightening his ponytail and adjusting his cap. "You all know me: the rebellious street fighter that masters various forms of fighting, including mastering chi energy. I'm… not really good at introducing myself to strangers in times like these, so… I suppose you wanna take down Dracula and widen up the gateway to the Dharkon Void?"

"Sure, I guess," Richter replied as he stood up, some of the other fighters rescued from the darkness in the castle agreeing in unison.

"Then let-s a go!" Dr. Mario spoke, running up the stairs to the throne room. Terry and the other fighters then followed after the prescriber, going one at a time on the thin staircase.

Chapter 76: Dracula Vlad Tepes

Summary:

Once the fighters have rescued all their friends in the castle, they go up against Dracula Vlad Tepes, who gives out his reason for his hatred upon humanity.

Chapter Text

The room was dark and cold, just like all the other rooms in the castle were. Dark thunderclouds roared outside the stained-glass windows, with lightning streaking across the sky. A long carpet stained red with the blood of the monsters' victims was laid across the stone floor. The ebony throne was standing over ten feet tall, and Dracula Vlad Tepes was sitting in it at half that exact height. His pale skin and gray hair were just as present as before, his fangs stained from the red wine he was drinking from a small glass.

Dracula patiently tapped his fingers on the arm rest of the throne he was sitting in, already prepared for Group B as they ran into the throne room. The vampire looked upon the fighters with a gleam in his devilish eyes, chuckling at the peculiar warriors gathered in front of him.

"So you are the brave warriors that Lord Dharkon has warned about," Dracula spoke with a calm voice. "And not even a Belmont this time." Richter stepped out from the group, twirling the Vampire Killer in his hands.

"Your reign of terror ends right now, Dracula!" Richter snapped, with the fighters joining the Belmont's side and preparing their weapons.

"Die, you monster!" Falco cawed.

"You don't belong in this world!" the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn spoke.

"So, first you break into my castle after five years," Dracula renowned. "Then, you start freeing the servants that were given to me and were given strict orders to hunt down a certain blond-haired intruder with the white shirt. Now, you enter my throne room and threaten me with the act of murder… Bold of you to assume I fear death."

"It's not just us Dharkon has captured," Lucina objected. "You may not know it now, but Dharkon is keeping you as HIS hostage. I know you begged for him to give you your body back."

"And it's time for us to release you from the clutches of Dharkon and vanquish the darkness!" Terry yelled, his fists glowing with flames and chi energy. However, Dracula simply chuckled lightly, tossing the wine glass onto the carpet. The shattered glass scattered across the carpet, leaving behind a stain of wine on the floor.

"What is a man?" Dracula asked as he stood from his throne, towering over the fighters. "A miserable pile of secrets. A ravaging beast who hungers for material things, like gold and comfort in his own home, and he fights to keep whatever was given to his greedy hands. A being who claims to be fighting for what he believes is right but falls into sin and despair at the end. A mortal that is beyond all animals, the only species who lusts for riches and reproduction. The riches, in which he can spend on food, clothing, shelter, and other necessary essentials. The reproduction, in which he can use his mate however he wants, hearing her cry for mercy, the mixture of pain and pleasure becoming all worth it in the act of creating new life."

"But enough talk," Dracula continued, flipping his cape. "Have at you, Super Smash Brothers!" The fighters prepared their weapons, watching as the towering vampire warped himself onto the floor. Diddy Kong, Peach, and Daisy started the fight by shooting peanuts and throwing the white turnips, not having enough time to react to Dracula's Dark Inferno move. Falco and Dark Pit quickly jumped in front of the three fighters and began reflecting the dark fireballs back at the vampire. Dracula paid no mind to that and teleported himself to where Dr. Mario and Ridley were standing. The pale vampire's eyes glowed red with fire, creating three projectiles of fire and sending them out towards the fighters. Dr. Mario quickly pulled out his cape, reflecting one of the fire balls, while Ridley shielded in front of Terry and Wario, taking the hit for them. As the Space Pirate was stunned, Dracula traveled to Ridley's direction as a swarm of bats, hitting Pikachu, Robin, Jigglypuff, and Richter.

When the vampire stopped in place, he spread his cape open and began unleashing magical orbs that curved around him, spreading far and wide and hitting the other fighters. Because they were pretty much disjointed from Dracula, the orbs could not be reflected by those that do have reflectors built into their moveset. Wario pulled out his motorcycle out of nowhere, and he blared his horn.

"C'mon, Terry!" Wario shouted. "We don't have much time!" The Legendary Hungry Wolf stood on the back of the bike the second it sped off towards Dracula. Wario kept an eye out for pillars of fire emerging from the ground that shot all the way to the ceiling, moving his bike left and right while Terry kept an eye out for the magic orbs.

"Yo, Ken!" Terry called out, alerting Ken as quickly as possible. The Hungry Wolf grabbed ahold of Ken's hand and pulled him onto the bike, the two of them unleashing powerful projectiles of fire as Wario continuously drove around the flame pillars and magic orbs. While Dracula kept teleporting around and unleashed orbs after every fire pillar, he was hit by the flaming projectiles from Terry and Ken. As he doused his burning cape, his pale face met with the fiery uppercut punches of the two street fighters.

Once Dracula was hit, he succumbed to the floor, trembling upon defeat. All of the magic abilities he unleashed upon the fighters was gone. When the Smashers calmed down with the attack, they slowly approached the vampire. Just as soon as they were about to leave, Dracula chuckled softly.

"You thought it was over, did you not?" Dracula asked, his voice becoming more monster-like. The vampire slowly stood back onto his feet, a black aura outlined with red surrounding him. Pieces of his clothes began to rip apart as Dracula's skin went from a pale white to a sickening green.

"This fight was only the beginning!" Dracula roared before his voice drastically changed, hunching over as his clothes were torn apart. The vampire grew large rows upon teeth to hide the fangs he once had, with claws growing on his hands and feet. Horns shot up straight from his head, and Dracula had strong, powerful muscles. He grew much larger, towering over Group B as he transformed into a humongous, winged demon. From that transformation, Dracula Vlad Tepes was no more.

Peach and Daisy pulled out their Toads when they saw the second form of the vampire shoot out wailing ghosts, curving around before they tracked down the princesses. Falco and Dr. Mario got in front of them and quickly reflected the ghosts back at the green demon before they spammed their own projectiles. The winged monster jumped up into the air before landing with a powerful shockwave, growling as Pikachu and Jigglypuff landed on his back, attacking him from behind.

Dracula's claws were tainted with poison, and he viciously swiped them across his back, swatting the two Pokémon off his back. Terry caught the small fighters in time, letting the poisoned Smashers rest on his head while he began avoiding the fiery and electrical projectiles from the winged demon. Terry unleashed powerful flames from his fists, basically attacking as though he was a pyromaniac. The South Town Hero then noticed that Robin and Dark Pit couldn't jump out of the way in time before they were slammed by Dracula's monstrous fist, pummeled to the ground, and Dark Pit and Ken were next.

"Got this!" Lucina interrupted, jumping over Terry's head with her Parallel Falchion in her hand, rushing towards the two trapped fighters and pushing them out of the way to take the hit from the powerful, darkness-covered fist. The blue-haired warrior princess fell under the heavy weight. Dark Pit and Ridley ran to her rescue, trying to comfort a wounded Lucina as Dracula's claws were coated in a black aura.

"Hey, vampire!" Gilbert shouted, unleashing a powerful tornado at the demon's face. As Dracula opened his bloodshot eyes, the Mii Swordfighter stabbed one of his eyes clean off, making him bleed with a blackened ooze. As the monster held over his eye, roaring in pain as Wario, Ken, and Terry punched at his feet, the ex-Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn slid down the demon's wing, sliding off a wing and doing a backflip as he cut off the sharp end of the throne's arm chair. The Mii Fighter then got to a hiding spot from the demonic vampire, stuck his sword in the stone floor, and began carving the piece of the ebony throne into a stake.

"This'll kill him… right?" Gilbert asked himself as he held onto the wooden stake he made, placing it in a pouch on his belt and continuing the fight.

Dracula continued swiping his poisoned claws at the dodgy fighters. Even though he was half-blind, his eye was slowly regenerating due to his immortality. Richter tossed holy water at the demon's face, scalding the green skin as though it was boiling. The Smashers eventually gathered into one spot and began spamming their projectiles, ranging from Diddy Kong's peanuts and banana peels to large explosions from Terry Bogard. The Mii Swordfighter ran up to the group in time, twirling the wooden stake in his hand.

"Keep your eyes on me, Dracula!" Gilbert spoke, grabbing a bottle of holy water from Richter and sprinkling it onto the tip. The winged beast fired out ghosts from his voracious fangs, but the Mii Fighter was too fast for them to catch up. Gilbert eventually climbed onto Dracula's chest, avoiding the poisonous claws before he lodged the stake right into the monster's chest, supposedly impaling his heart.

As Dracula Vlad Tepes roared in defeat, Terry Bogard finished the fight with a flaming uppercut mixed in with his chi energy, ending the fight between the vampire. The winged demon's body began exploding in a multitude of colors, shaking not just the floor of the throne room but the entire castle as well. Bats and winged hellions flew out of the castle, while grounded monsters like mummies and spiders were crushed underneath the rubble.

"What's going on?" Daisy asked, trying to keep her balance from the shaking floor.

"We have to get out of here! Now!" Falco exclaimed, grabbing ahold of Lucina and jumping straight through the stained-glass window at the end of the room. The other fighters followed after their two friends, now falling to what was supposedly their death. Luckily, they were saved by one of the falling walls of the castle, bracing themselves for impact once they crashed into the ground. Once they were on the solid cobblestone road, the group looked back on Dracula's Castle, watching it crumble into the bottomless abyss of the cold, dark, starless night. A large blast surrounded the area, its shockwaves echoing throughout the realm. Things seemed to have calmed down afterwards.

The fighters began cheering over their victory, congratulating each other for their role in the fight. It wasn't long before they all looked at Terry Bogard, who was adjusting the cap on his head.

"So… I take it there are some of you that haven't left this castle in years," Terry spoke, looking at Daisy, Wario, Ridley, Ken, Dark Pit, Robin, and Richter. "I've been entering and leaving the place for quite some time, and the outside world is far more disturbing than what you've encountered. I'm probably taking a wild guess that your friends have already suffered out there?"

"That's right," Lucina responded, trying to steady her balance before Falco kept her upright. "So just… prepare yourselves for what you're about to see…" The reawakened Smashers looked at each other nervously, wasting no chances as they all followed Pikachu and Jigglypuff into the blue portal to the World of Darkness.

"Pika pika!" Terry, Peach, Falco, Lucina, Diddy Kong, Dr. Mario, and Mii Swordfighter all tagged behind the fighters, heading out of the sub-area victoriously.


As the fighters emerged from the portal onto the colossal, broken clock, Daisy, Ken, Dark Pit, Richter, Wario, Robin, and Ridley were all shocked by the world they were forced to live in. Storm clouds rolled high in the sky and down below the bottomless abyss, thunder echoing throughout the darkened planet.

"Oh my…" Daisy gasped with shock. "We had no idea how bad this got…"

"And it all began five years ago," Terry sighed. "Lead the way, bird boy."

"Roger that," Falco Lombardi chuckled, checking the compass on the device secured around his wrist. The Star Fox pilot then journeyed down the path made out of coils, and the group followed after him, making their way back to the Undying Light.


Back on the ship, Sonic the Hedgehog rested his arms on the railing of the deck, his fingers trailing across the scars that damaged his face. The blue rodent still could not believe that this happened. At the beginning when Galeem first arrived, why didn't Sonic use the Chaos Emeralds to escape? Could they have vanished without a trace at a bad time? Just like that?

The blue rodent's eyes were no longer the emerald green they once were. Instead, all that remained was nothing more than irises that were completely different colors from each other. A reminder of the traumatic event that changed him into an uncontrollable god. Plus, he hadn't seen his home planet in twenty years, so his friends would not recognize him even if they were attacked by Galeem.

"I can tell things are on your mind, huh?" Fox asked, walking up next to Sonic and resting his arms on the railing. "Yeah, I hope our pals survive out there in the chaotic world. Who knows what crazy things they'll run into?"

"I think they already did," Sonic sighed with worry. "I just hope they're okay… What are my friends gonna think of me when they see me as a god too afraid to even control his powers?" Fox McCloud rested a hand on the blue hedgehog's shoulders, shaking his head.

"I don't know, kid," Fox answered. "I don't know. Until then, the least we can do is help you control your powers. Since there are basically no dragons in sight to help us, and Ragnarokk isn't even a dragon yet, that doesn't mean I can at least train you." Sonic looked back at his best friend, letting go of the railing.

"Let's get ready in our battle positions," Fox spoke, pulling out his blaster. The blue hedgehog stood in a form where he crouched in place, his eyes gleaming with blue lightning.

"First thing you wanna focus on: what is it that you're afraid of so much you completely forgot it?" Fox asked, slowly moving circles around his training partner.

"…It's what Galeem and Dharkon did to me," Sonic answered, feeling the currents of lightning fizzle through his fingers. "Well, Dharkon anyway since he changed me into a Dragosmo…"

"C'mon, Sonic," Fox sighed. "You can try a bit harder than that. Try to remember something traumatic from your past outside of your curse." The blue hedgehog tried to clear his mind, casting out the two dragons from his mind. Soon, his mind was completely empty… and he could think of nothing impactful in his life.

"I… can't," Sonic responded. "I know I remembered it before, but Dharkon messed up my memory so much it's still a little hazy. Whatever it was… I hope it wasn't important."

"Well, you tried your best," Fox sighed. "Now… concentrate on your emotions. Control them and let your feelings flow. That's how I fight, and probably how you fight. Just imagine me as an enemy, probably a hostile robot. How would you react with your newfound powers?"

"Well," Sonic answered with a smug look on his face, lifting up his hands. The ground started rumbling underneath the Undying Light, pieces of the large floating island falling apart. Even the Star Fox mercenary was getting shocked by the raw power the blue hedgehog had.

"Sonic…! I think we wanna stop. This is overkill…" Fox spoke nervously, afraid that the large rocks Sonic summoned would destroy the ship entirely. The moment it took time for the blue hedgehog to realize this was too much, the large blast from Dracula's defeat echoed throughout the sky, catching Sonic off-guard. This caused the blue hedgehog's current powers to go out of control, causing him to drop the rocks a little too hard.

The entire island started crumbling, forcing the Mii Fighters and rescued Spirits outside the ship to run back into the ship. Sonic began to stumble from the powerful shockwave, hugging Fox in fear of what he had done.

"It's not your fault," Fox spoke, noticing Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Dr. Mario, Falco, Lucina, Dark Pit, Wario, Diddy Kong, Robin, Ken, Ridley, Richter, Terry, and Mii Swordfighter all trying to catch up to the ship before the solid ground it's trapped in crumbles. Sonic noticed that too and ran to the edge of the deck, watching Group B hop onto the floating rubble in an attempt to climb onto the Undying Light.

"Uh, guys!" Sonic called out to his pals in the ship. "We've got company! I think it's our pals!" Not wasting any time, the blue hedgehog made vines and leaves emerge from his hands, twisting and forming them into a stable ladder for the team to grab ahold to. Terry was the first to hold on, grabbing the hand of Ken, who held onto Falco, then Lucina, then Ridley, and so on. Mario and Link were the first to emerge onto the deck to find the group has returned and ran to Fox's and Sonic's aid.

"Hoist us up! Quick!" Terry yelled, he and the teammates of Group B getting a firm grip on the ladder. The four fighters pulled up the ladder, getting the returning group onto the deck before the entire island crumbled off the ship. As the rubble cleared away, the entire Undying Light itself was exposed, over a hundred times larger than the tiny ship they once had before.

"See? I told you it was the Legacy," Sonic spoke as the Undying Light itself was, in fact, the exact same ship that was believed to have been destroyed by Galeem ten years ago, and in perfect condition too. The vast buildings were still intact, with the large cannons built front and center. It was a pretty big surprise that the whole thing was hidden in the rubble and the crew hasn't noticed that despite having passed through many doors before.

"I cannot believe I didn't notice that," Mario gasped in wonder, surprised that this whole island basically rebuilt what was once lost. However, Link didn't seem to care about the ship and instead focused on the recruiter teammates.

"Hey, guys!" Link called out to the fighters in the ship. "Group B is back!" Upon hearing that, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Ness, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Marth, Young Link, Ganondorf, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, PAC-MAN, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Cloud, Inkling, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Mii Brawler all ran outside to meet up with the group that had successfully returned on their mission safely.

"Father!" Lucina cried, running towards Chrom and hugging him lovingly. Robin joined in on the tender moment between father and daughter, with the descendants of Marth rubbing his white locks of hair.

"Pittoo!" Pit cried, tears running down his face as he squeezed his black-clothed clone in his arms. "I missed you so much! I hope Lady Palutena's okay!"

"Get off, and stop calling me Pittoo!" Dark Pit groaned, trying to push the clingy angel away from his face.

"Good to see you, pal!" Ryu chuckled, patting his friendly rival Ken on the back.

"It sure was dark and scary back there at the castle, but look who we found!" Ken responded, dragging the Legendary Hungry Wolf out of the crowd of fighters.

"Terry Bogard?" Joker asked.

"Oh my gosh!" Ireburn squealed happily as he and the Phantom Thief ran towards the South Town Hero and hugged him. "It's Terry!"

"We were so worried you would be consumed by the darkness!" Banjo replied, joining in with the group of survivors.

"Same for you, guys!" Terry laughed before his expression changed. "Any idea where Piranha Plant and our second teammate went off to?" Sonic looked at Fox confusingly upon hearing that statement.

"You brought a Piranha Plant on board with you?" Sonic asked with surprise.

"It's a long story," Fox sighed. "Regardless, the plant you're looking for is off north, traveling with the rest of the awakened fighters. The whereabouts of your friend is… currently unknown. Hopefully you can see them again once they deal with the chaos over there."

"I see…" Terry responded, looking back on the huge buildings on the Legacy. "Well, we'll be heading inside the ship. See you people later." Soon, the four survivors walked into the ship, with all the other fighters walking in. Only Kirby remained outside, looking into the storm clouds up north. A twinkling light glimmered in the darkness, watching with worry about the third group traveling over there. As soon as he walked to the center of the deck, a red cloud mixed with the Spirits of captured fighters flew in from the southeast. They all entered inside the body of the pink puffball, triggering what was pretty much his longest vision yet.

Chapter 77: The Dragon Clan

Summary:

A massive swarm of Dharkon Locks enter the stone inside Kirby, giving him a sypnosis on the Dragon Clan and how this ties into the nightmare he had five years ago.

Chapter Text

Kirby felt nothing around his body. He wasn't standing on ground or anything. In fact, it seemed as though he was floating in space, his rainbow aura trailing behind him. The pink puffball touched the Smash Ball on his forehead, rubbing his golden eyes. As he looked around, he noticed that the darkness around him… somehow felt familiar. Kirby couldn't quite place it, but he felt like he had been there before with his pals.

Kirby then slowly but surely moved around the mysterious realm, confident he was in another vision. He watched the lightning streak across the purple-black sky, watching the platforms of blue glass float by. The pink puffball hopped onto one of them, starting to remember where he was. Suddenly, a Shadow Bug passed through his cuddly body, making him grow rather curious. Soon, another Shadow Bug passed through him, and it wasn't long before a whole swarm of them soared through the darkened sky, all of them floating towards a cyan light.

Kirby jumped off the glass platform he was on, following the Shadow Bugs as they crowded around the cyan light. As the brightness dimmed a bit, Kirby could make out that the shape in the light was Tabuu, the red eye in his chest glowing as he slowly woke up. He looked around the strange dimension, his abstract wings outstretched.

Tabuu's vision spanned around the area, teleporting himself around. The Construct God was accompanied by the Shadow Bugs, admiring the strange new world he woke up in.

"How long was I out…?" Tabuu asked, looking back at the violet clusters. Tabuu, without question, cast a spell to open him a portal to the outside world. However, as he was about to leave, he found himself unable to move beyond the portal. Chains of Light and Darkness suddenly appeared around his wrists and ankles, supposedly binding him to the strange realm he woke up in. They vanished once he pulled back, but he could still feel them cuffing and shackling him.

"Ragnarokk… I will find you one day," Tabuu sighed. "My powers cannot bring you back as of now…" When the God of Construction looked out through the portal he created, he saw a clear, blue ocean stretching across the horizon. There was land, but the mountains and forests were completely different from the world of Arcus. Even the sky itself was a different shade of blue.

But how was Tabuu going to learn about the outside world in this state? He had sacrificed his own freedom in order to imprison his own brothers. After what they did, Galeem and Dharkon could never be forgiven. He had to do something about this. He needed to learn about what happened to the planet he grew up in. When he and Ragnarokk were still one as Ultima. Who knows how long he was asleep in his new dimension? Days, weeks, maybe even years.

Just then, a Shadow Bug flew up closer to his ear, making a noise that was so quiet no one could think to speak or understand it. However, it seemed as though only Tabuu could understand these Shadow Bugs. These little creatures explained in full detail about how they were the only species to come to his time of need, trapping themselves in the darkness with him. He had been sleeping in this new dimension for a thousand years, imprisoned in what they called "Subspace". The Shadow Bugs had made this strange world their new home. While Tabuu himself cannot leave this dimension, the Shadow Bugs can go in and out whenever they pleased through the window he created. For whatever reason, Kirby could understand what these creatures are saying even if it was just a vision.

"I need you tiny creatures to be my eyes…" The God of Construction then set out the creatures that accompanied him all these years, letting them hide in the shadows until they returned with the information he needed.

Three days had passed, but to Tabuu it felt like only an hour. Seems like time moved differently in Subspace. The Shadow Bugs soared through the blue sky, entering their home realm through the window the Construct God created. They floated near his ears, transferring unheard sounds to the cyan being.

"So Sozo and Hakai have no memory of their past as dragons, and they recreated this world to make it look like Terra millions of years ago, with humans and mixed generations?" Tabuu asked. "And the new planet they created is called Arcadia?" As the window to the outside world vanished, the God of Construction was starting to become worried. He needed to know more about how the last remaining Hands were getting along in this new world. He had no worry of the dragonlings which were sent to another dimension, for he knew they would be safe. All that mattered was that the Arcadian Master Hand and Crazy Hand have at least called a truce. Though I suppose that wouldn't matter since they were also free from Galeem and Dharkon, having no recollection of the seraphic dragons.

Tabuu followed the Shadow Bugs throughout Subspace, stopping when the clusters of the violet creatures stopped in place. Knowing why they stopped, Tabuu created another window to the outside world of Arcadia, finding the two Hands moving around the place. Much to his surprise, Sozo and Hakai in their new forms were getting along well with each other. This was exactly what he hoped: that the Master and Crazy Hands would forget about his brothers and what they did.

However, their knuckles were clearly still fused to their respected chains, meaning that Tabuu somehow had control over them if he could reach out to them. The God of Construction could hear the thoughts of the two Hands, knowing what they were up to.

"We did it, Crazy Hand," the Master Hand spoke. "We have created the perfect paradise. And yet… it's lacking something…"

"Like what?" the Crazy Hand asked. "If you ask me, there's clearly nothing in this world that can go wrong." However, the Master Hand was more skeptical. Something was on his mind, and Tabuu could see it.

"I don't know at the moment, but I can feel it," the Master Hand answered, floating over the trees. "For whatever reason, I can sense an otherworldly evil ready to threaten our universe. Ready to destroy Arcadia. We need to bring forth the bravest warrior this planet has ever seen. Are you with me?"

"With you to the end," the Crazy Hand answered. "Hopefully one day we can uncover who we used to be… if we were even floating, disembodied hands at all…" The Master and Crazy Hands teleported themselves to the Midair Stadium, by which Tabuu had realized was still there all these years. As he watched what the Hands were going to do in the empty arena, the Construct God curious as to whether things from the past had survived or not. He knew of the technology the Shadow Bugs had saved in Subspace… or what was left of them. As far as Tabuu knew, the weapons crumbled underneath the rust and were pretty much useless.

The Hands floated to the center of the stage, rubbing their hands together and generating electricity from their fingertips. The combined energy of light and darkness, order and chaos, sparked between the two. They both slammed into the stage upon full static charge, and a bright figure was illuminated onto the stage.

As the white aura surrounding the mysterious figure calmed down, Tabuu noticed of the mysterious warrior the Master and Crazy Hands had brought into this world. This mysterious warrior was completely naked, his facial features carved with plenty of intimidation that would make any woman fall for him. His messy hair was long and red, and his slit eyes gleamed with rubies. He bore fangs in his jaws, and claws protruded out of his fingers and toes. His pale chest glistened with sweat, having plenty of meat even if there was no six-pack or ripping abs.

He looked around in the new world, frightened and shielding his naked body from the two Hands hovering over him. The Arcadian Master Hand then floated towards the being they created, stroking his forefinger on his soft crown.

"It's alright," the Master Hand calmly spoke, reassuring the new being that there was nothing to be afraid about. Snapping his fingers, the Arcadian Hand of Creation created a blanket entirely out of bear's fur, draping it over the half-dragon's barren back.

"We had been expecting your arrival," the Master Hand continued. "Arise as the first of many warriors within Arcadia, Ryūō-chō."

"First of many…?" Ryūō-chō asked, wobbling as he stood up straight while keeping the blanket around himself. He looked behind the stage and heard the voices and cheers of thousands upon millions of people in the Midair Stadium, almost as if they were summoned out of thin air. Right on the stage were hundreds like Ryūō, all naked and pretty much half-dragon.

"You shall be known as the Dragon Clan, the Defenders of Arcadia," the Master Hand spoke. "And you, Ryūō-chō, shall be known as the Dragon King."

Dragon King.

Dragon King.

That name alone rung up an awful memory inside Kirby. It was the nightmare he had, back when his group was sailing to the island where the Rathalos resided back at Gallia. The dream the pink puffball had about that terrible place. The cracked pavement with fleshy, wet noises. The armored being that was about to hack the poor alien boy with his katana blades. Images from the nightmare flashed in his head, and he could hear the voice of the Dragon King.

You replaced me…

But he couldn't be the same Dragon King as the one from Kirby's nightmare… could he?


A time-lapse occurred all of a sudden, and Kirby was left watching Tabuu stare through the mirror he created, watching as the Dragon Clan was left protecting Arcadia from any monsters that seemed to appear from the shadows. When they wanted to fight for the fun of it but there were no monsters in sight, these new warriors would come together in the Midair Stadium and satisfy the entertainment of the thousands of millions of people that crowded the arena, crying out for a battle like the ancient Romans at coliseums. Despite all being the same species as well as wearing the same clothing - spiky but thin, athletic armor made out of dragon scales – they fought in different styles and each had a different weapon that suited their preferred style. Some fought up close and personal while others camped at a safe distance. Regardless, they were all protected and ruled by Ryūō-chō, who was dressed in the same outfit Kirby saw him in his nightmare but was lacking the mask with the three perpetual horns.

Things seemed fine at first. The Dragon Clan was getting along well, some even starting families with other members. Among the hundreds that originally appeared now remained millions, all of them residing within the Midair Stadium. As Tabuu watched, he was starting to become worried about something.

"What if Galeem and Dharkon were to return?" Tabuu asked, the Shadow Bugs clustering near him inside Subspace. "No… Galeem and Dharkon are enough of a threat as they are… What about her? The one I saw in my nightmare? She would corrupt these brave warriors… for they all lack something of importance…"

"The stars can tell us tales that had happened since the dawn of time," Lord Ceresor's voice spoke through the God of Construction. Tabuu can recall what the Lord of Arcus told him, and how it would affect the future.

"The lifespan of any intelligent species is only a mere blink for these celestial beings, so they can memorize everything that has ever happened to us. There is also a tale that the stars can survive the corruption of pure insanity, and the Smash Balls can protect those who wield them." That was what Tabuu knew from his recollected knowledge.

The Master Hand coincidentally felt it too. The strange feeling that the members of the Dragon Clan were lacking something, even when Tabuu was unable to reach the outside world.

"Do you feel it?" the Master Hand asked the Crazy Hand.

"Of course I do," the Crazy Hand responded. "We're one and the same after all."

"It's about the Dragon Clan," the Master Hand answered. "I can sense that they are strong of mind and will, but their hearts will become easy to corrupt. If some otherworldly force was to invade at some point, they would not be prepared for what happens next. It's almost as if they are lacking…"

"An enchantment?" the Crazy Hand replied.

"Precisely," the Master Hand spoke. "However, implanting these enchantments would not be an easy task, considering the energy we wasted to bring the Dragon Clan to life. Their souls are not strong enough to hold in the protection, and they might as well be exterminated before they become mad with power and hatred."

"You're saying… kill the entire Dragon Clan just because they don't have some magic voodoo thing to protect them from an unknown force?" the Crazy Hand asked.

"It's for the best," the Master Hand finished. "We need to find the souls that already have these enchantments to begin with, and no one is going to intervene, not even Ryūō-chō. We need to bring in warriors that are chosen by these enchantments. They will be brought into this world, whether they work for good or evil…" Once the two Hands vanished in front of the Midair Stadium, Tabuu suddenly noticed a tiny pink dot within the forest floor. The God of Construction inspected the peculiar object, focusing his vision. From what he saw… it was the pink sludge he had seen before, which Kirby saw before in previous visions as well as in the labyrinth of the Gerudo Valley. What he and Ragnarokk saw when they were Ultima. The pink slime curled itself into the black mist's crystalline arms, who unveiled his disguise and revealed himself as Mephiles.

"Come, my Insaniton," Mephiles spoke. "There is business we have to attend to." As the crystalline hedgehog crumbled into the black mist and flew towards the Midair Stadium, there was something odd that struck Kirby.

Was that… the same Mephiles he and his pals encountered in the Gerudo Town? And was that the slime that created the horrifying Steve person? And did he call said slime an Insaniton? The same kind that flowed from Eternia's tear ducts during her fight with the Almighty Father? Something was not right, and he knew things would be terrible once Mephiles entered the floating arena…


Ryūō-chō had just came out from the stage into the locker room of the arena, wiping his forehead of the sweat that glistened on his face. He had just finished a tough battle involving a close-attack, chubby heavyweight, obviously a member of the Dragon Clan. His red, messy hair was rather oily from the battle, but that was expected after a tough fight.

Once Ryūō got to the locker room, he undressed himself and twisted the knob in one of the showers. The warm water ran across his pale body, cleansing the grime and sweat from his pores. There were dispensers that gave the shower users various soaps to rinse their hair and bodies, and the Dragon King cupped his hands underneath the dispenser that gave out shampoo mixed with conditioner. As soon as his hands were filled, Ryūō lathered the mixture into his hair, letting it sit for a while as he cleaned his body with the specified soap. He then let the water run through his hair as his fingers combed through, the leftover soap running down the drain.

Ryūō suddenly heard ominous laughter coming right from behind him, and he turned around to face the direction of the sound from the dark room. Just when he thought it was his imagination, he continued rinsing his hair only to hear the laughter again.

"Okay," Ryūō spoke, looking around the shower room as he kept his vision clear from the water running on his face. "You better not be any fangirls stalking me! I could at least use some privacy!"

"Why would you think I am an over-obsessive woman, especially with the voice you are hearing now?" the crystalline hedgehog's voice responded. Before Ryūō could ask any more questions, a black sludge slithered to the Dragon King's feet, building up and forming into the crystalline hedgehog. Deep within the vision's interpretation of Subspace, Kirby watched through Tabuu's window what was going on.

"My name is Mephiles," the crystalline hedgehog answered. " Be calm, Dragon King. I am not here to harm you. Just here to deliver some terrible news."

"News…?" Ryūō asked, covering his crotch with his hands and lathered soap.

"News involving the Master Hand and Crazy Hand," Mephiles continued. "You and your kind are getting replaced."

"Replaced?" the Dragon King responded, filled with complete confusion and disbelief. "No… no. The Hands would not do such a thing. I am their bravest warrior."

"I had been watching them since the dawn of time, and I know of their schemes to wipe you out of existence… just like that," Mephiles continued, snapping his fingers once he paused to give Ryūō-chō the idea.

"You are being lied to, Ryūō-chō. They said the Dragon Clan lacks any sort of protection from a special kind of corruption, and they are willing to shelve you away like toys for their true prizes. But I'm here to help you."

"What kind of help do you want from me?"

"They seek the warriors that have mythical stones known as Smash Balls for souls, powered by the Core of the First Star. They believe those that have been chosen with these stones, whether good or evil, can avoid the magic of the Mother."

"The Mother…?"

"The Mother is a being not from this universe, or any other universe. She can grant the wishes of anyone who joins her alliance, but the Hands are too afraid of her. They believe that she's too dangerous, and they are planning to summon the warriors of the Smash Balls and wipe out the Dragon Clan. They don't understand the truth."

"Look, Mephiles… I don't know if I can do this. I mean... I don't know anything about you. How am I supposed to know what my goal is?"

"You will…" Mephiles finished, allowing himself to be engulfed by his Insaniton pet. The crystalline hedgehog was swallowed by a mess of pus and pink flesh, grotesque limbs covered in sharp pointers squirming out of its slimy skin. Ryūō-chō panicked and slipped on the wet floor, curling into himself as multiple eyeballs surrounded him, engulfing him completely.

"Soon you will know the truth about the multiverse we live in…" Mephiles' voice echoed inside the Dragon King's head. The red-haired half-dragon looked around the shower room, relaxing his body when he noticed there were no scratches or bruises on his body. However, his heart suddenly changed, along with his mood. Ryūō got up from the shower floor, turning the knob and shutting the water off. As soon as he finished drying himself, he slipped on his armor.

For the first time in the last few years he had been brought into existence, the Dragon King felt betrayed. He took the lies Mephiles told him seriously and believed them. His katana blades rang against his armor plates as he slipped them off his back, dual-wielding them. There was a small band of Dragon Clan soldiers, all of them no older than eighteen. One of the half-dragons was female, wore green armor and a saber axe, and had black hair. Her two friends were male with blondish-gray hair, one small with blue armor and the other large with violet armor. They all noticed Ryūō-chō storming out of the locker room into the hallway, unaware of what he was told.

"Oh! Dragon King!" the female Dragon Clan troop spoke, genuflecting before her master. "We were just about to wash up! That last battle we had with Ryugi was quite intense…"

"Get out of my way, peasant," the Dragon King softly snarled. The black-haired troop's eyes widened when she heard her majesty address her like that.

"First of all, my name is Katanaki," the black-haired warrior spoke. "Second of all, why the mood swing? You seemed so relaxed before…"

"I need to have a word with the Hands of Creation and Destruction," Ryūō-chō responded. "They took… everything from us. Our lives are a lie. They only want to cast us aside and replace us like we're nothing but dolls!" As soon as the Dragon King said that, the three young adults were rather confused.

"What are you talking about?" Katanaki asked. "Your Highness, you're probably not thinking straight. How about we talk this over some chess? Or a cup of tea?"

"If you wish for me to spare your life, then you better tell me the whereabouts of the Hands," Ryūō snapped, holding up his katana blades. "If you don't want to interfere, then get out of my way."

"So you can kill our creators!?" Katanaki objected. "Last chance. Ryūō-chō! You drop your weapons and come along with us unarmed. Perhaps an extended stay in detention might do you some justice."

"Your choice," the Dragon King spoke to himself, his eyes at a smaller angle and a little smile stretching across his face. Swiping his katana blades across the green-armored troop's neck, the gushing of blood and Katanaki's screams could be heard throughout the Midair Stadium. Her two friends looked in utter trauma as they saw their only leader, the one they looked up to all these years, murder her in cold blood.

"You… masochistic prick!" the one clad in blue armor snapped, swinging out a laser nail-coated baseball bat made entirely out of platinum. "You'll die just like how our friend went out, bitch!" The purple-armored troop pulled out a partisan, and the two of them pointed their weapons at their leader. However, as the two charged at him and swung their weapons, the Dragon King simply teleported right behind them, continuing down the hall as their powerful swings missed and hit each other, killing them both by their own hands.

The amount of bloodshed was no different for many of the Dragon Clan troops that witnessed the murders, charging towards their king only to be met with their own cold gore. It wasn't long before Ryūō-chō lifted up his hand, casting powers that burned the hallways behind him as though he was a pyromaniac. He began slaughtering every Dragon Clan troop that stood in his way as he was about to leave the Midair Stadium, heading towards one of the starships that sat in the large garages. People and children were crying as they were trapped in the burning arena, and Ryūō just left them to suffer as he made his way to the last remaining Dragon Clan troop: a pink-armored girl at the age of ten, sporting a cape flowing like lava and blue hair tipped with white that draped over her shoulders and evaporated the tears dripping down her face.

"Ah, Napalmata," the Dragon King spoke with a chilling voice, pointing his katana blades at her neck. "You are rather persistent as a navigator. Tell me where the Hands of Creation and Destruction are and I may as well spare you."

"W… What makes you think you'll spare me if you're just going to leave me here to die in the fire?" Napalmata asked, her voice shaking.

"I know you can control how wild forest fires burn at such an impressively young age," the Dragon King responded. "Last chance. Unless you want the Dragon Clan to go extinct, you give me the location of the Master Hand and Crazy Hand. I will teach them a lesson about replacing us."

"They're… They're at the Isle of the Dragons, where they believe they can find the legendary warriors to replace our kind," the girl answered, her Adam's apple bobbing as it lightly brushed against the soft katana blades. The Dragon King then lowered his weapons away from Napalmata's neck, letting her relax and catch a breather.

"Thank you, child," Ryūō-chō chuckled, walking over to one of the starships in the burning hovercar garage. As soon as the starship the psychotic half-dragon had chosen flew off, Napalmata raised her arms, crying in pain as lights emerged from her gloveless hands. Once the lights flashed and spread across the Midair Stadium, the flames all vanished, and the crowd trapped in the arena looked around the place calmly. Napalmata slowly got up, kneeling and crying over the loss of her parents. They died as they attempted on stopping the Dragon King, sacrificing themselves for the child they raised together.

"No," Napalmata told herself, flames dancing around her eyes as she wiped the tears from her face. "I won't let him do this. Not now nor ever!" As soon as the window to the outside world closed, Tabuu backed away, afraid of what the Dragon King was going to do. At this state, the God of Construction was powerless against what Mephiles could do.

"The Hands aren't even at the Isle of the Dragons," Tabuu spoke to himself. He opened another window to Arcadia, watching as the Master Hand and Crazy Hand were searching throughout the landscape. Looking far off into the distance, Tabuu had noticed that the Isle of the Dragons was far out at sea, miles away from where they were.

"I have to do something… and fast!" Tabuu spoke, trying to push himself through the window. However, no matter how hard he tried, the Chains of Light and Darkness held him back in Subspace. The Construct God struggled as he tugged hard at the chains wrapped around his arms and legs. Suddenly, he looked back upon the Shadow Bugs sealed in the realm with him. He realized they are the only one that can travel through the window and interact with Arcadia's landscape.

"Retrieve Sozo and Hakai," Tabuu commanded, pointing at the Hands. "I saved them from Galeem's and Dharkon's prisons. Now it's time they returned the favor." Kirby watched as the Shadow Bugs soared through the window, surrounding the Hands and surprising them.

"What the-!?" the Crazy Hand asked. "Stay away, you pesky insects!" The Hands started firing lasers from their fingertips, but the Shadow Bugs simply curved around the lasers, latching onto their silky shells. As the Hands struggled, the Shadow Bugs dragged them through the window into Subspace, releasing them just so Tabuu can grab the chains that bound the Hands. The Master Hand was shackled in the Chains of Light while the Crazy Hand was confined by the Chains of Darkness.

"Sozo… Hakai… My name is Tabuu, the God of Construction," the cyan being introduced, tugging on the chains that he was also found with. "You may not remember, but we were once dragons. You knew me as Ultima before I was split. I will explain the rest of the details later. For now, you must stop the warrior you created from destroying the future fighters."

"What makes you think we will… submit to the likes of you?" the Master Hand asked. Just to prove he was serious, Tabuu sent out electrical currents through his chains, zapping the Hands. Once he stopped, Tabuu spoke again.

"I don't want to repeat myself, but the one you brought into Arcadia, the Dragon King, is wrecking havoc upon the planet," Tabuu continued. "He spared only one of his kind, who is right now heading to the Isle of the Dragons in hopes of warning you. This is the work of the corruption you feared, and it already has Ryūō-chō. Do as I say, and we will protect not only this planet but all others… unless you want me to crumble you into dust for disobeying me…" The Hands relaxed their fingers, willing to do what the Construct God has commanded them to do.

"Excellent," Tabuu chuckled, opening a window to the Isle of the Dragons. Two of the starships arrived on different points of the island, obviously belonging to Ryūō and Napalmata. He kept hold of the chains as the Arcadian Hands floated through the window, latched onto the Construct God.


On the island, the Dragon King walked through the thick forest, surprise that the leaves were opaque enough to block any sunlight. As he continued further, Ryūō found what he was looking for: the statues of the bravest warriors gathered around in a cluster, all of them covered in moss and vines. Kirby took advantage of the memorials present, including his own. In the center was an ancient tree blooming with cherry blossoms, its branches curved in like it was supposed to hold something.

"Looks like the Master and Crazy Hands didn't show up in time… oh well…" the Dragon King spoke, pulling out his katana blades. Ryūō began hacking down the statues, hitting them until they all crumbled into dust. One by one, the Dragon King cut through all the memorials of the warriors, turning them all into rubble while he burned down the tree of the Core of the First Star. The only statues that remained before the Hands intervened with a powerful explosion were that of the Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, and Mii Gunner.

"So the Hands have decided to arrive before I finish destroying the toys that you two were going to use to replace me and the entirety of the Dragon Clan!"

"Your actions have went too far to make us change our minds," the Master Hand spoke. "We tried to be reasonable, but it seems like you took the message in the wrong way."

"I know well enough that you were just using me! Mephiles told me so!"

"…Mephiles?" the Crazy Hand asked.

"He is an ancient being that I can relate to. One far more honest than you too! And he tells me to watch you burn!" As the Dragon King jumped up high and raised his weapons, Tabuu within Subspace whipped the Chains of Light, forcing the Master Hand to snap his fingers and freeze Ryūō in place.

"Banish him to a forsaken land," Tabuu ordered, whipping both his chains this time. "Make sure he never returns here…" The fingers of the two Hands overlapped each over as they ripped a hole straight to an unknown dimension – one that they can never know the name of. As soon as the Dragon King was sucked into the hole, he tried reaching out for the Hands, ready to kill them before he vanished along with the vortex.

Napalmata arrived in time, running across the rotting logs and skinning her knees in the bushes. She made it over to the sacred area of the island, only to find the Hands were already there. She looked in horror of the desolated statues, running over to the rubble and gathering up the Smash Balls found within the statues. Much to her relief, they were not shattered at all.

"Oh my," Napalmata spoke as she turned towards the Hands, unaware that they were controlled by Tabuu. "I couldn't stop them. I had no idea…" The Master Hand and his fraternal noticed she was the only one of her kind who had survived. He drew a line across the forest floor, creating a portal to another world.

"Jump in," the Master Hand spoke. "Train hard until the day of reckoning comes. We'll take over from now on."

"But... weren't you gonna kill us because we didn't have some sort of protection?" Napalmata asked. That was a rather good question. The Hands originally planned to exterminate the Dragon Clan, considering how they were "impure". So... why wouldn't they kill her?

"The time will come in the future where you will find out the truth about everything," the Master Hand spoke. "You are strong and powerful, like the raging flames in your heart. Use them well on your journey, wherever they may lead you."

Without another word, Napalmata jumped into the portal. Once she seemed to be in another world, the Smash Balls within the surviving statues flashed bright. The untouched memorials began to glow, the sounds of flesh and bone forming underneath their stone shells and crumbling into due once the bodies underneath them moved.

The Mii Fighters were the first to awaken from their dormant slumber, looking around the strange world they woke up in. They appeared exactly how they did when Ultima defeated Galleom at Ginnungagap, but with one major difference. As they opened their mouths, they could no longer speak. Their memories of the past were retained, unsurprisingly. Following after them were Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Wii Fit Trainer, and Ice Climbers. As the new fighters moved around, the Smash Balls within the rubble floated from the ground and ascended into the sky, flying far away from the planet.

Tabuu watched as the Smash Balls vanished in the atmosphere, keeping mind of that as he left behind mental notes of those jewels floating off. He knew one day he was going to summon special warriors into this world… and that time is now.

"Welcome to Arcadia, citizens," the Master Hand spoke, both he and the Crazy Hand looming over the fighters that were just reborn into the planet. "Here, dreams become reality, and you can do whatever you want inside our context…" The Construct God relaxed his wrists as he held on to the chains, looking back upon the Shadow Bugs that have formed into Primids and other creatures within Subspace. As soon as all that was over, the Smash Ball on Kirby's forehead flashed red, bringing his mind back to reality.


The pink puffball woke up on the deck, coughing out the Diamond of Universes. He quickly picked up the gemstone, curious as to why it was brighter and more vibrant in color.

"Kirby!" Ragnarokk's voice called out. The brown-skinned warrior ran up to Kirby, worried about his safety.

"You really shouldn't be here," Ragnarokk continued. "What if some creature of darkness snatched you?" Kirby simply stared back at her, offering the brown-skinned, black-haired, military woman the Diamond of Universes.

"Did you… get more memories for me?" Ragnarokk asked, feeling the pink puffball place the jewel in her cupped hands. "It looks like it's nearly complete…" The amnesiac warrior placed the jewel back in her necklace, her eyes flashing as more memories from her past were restored to her. As she opened her violet eyes, she took the Diamond of Universes out of the necklace and gave it back to Kirby.

"You need to save it for your third group up north," Ragnarokk responded. "Wish them luck." Kirby nodded, clasping the jewel in his stubby hands.


Inside the Legacy, Sonic the Hedgehog admired how fast and spacious the place was, even larger than the Isle of the Ancients. He had been starting to control his powers for now, and he could levitate himself off the ground for a few seconds. The blue hedgehog split himself from Fox McCloud at some point within the ship, and he wandered through the futuristic hallways. With enough coincidence, Sonic managed to overhear Banjo's voice coming from one of the doors. It seemed he and Kazooie were chatting with Piranha Plant, Joker, Ireburn, and Terry about something, but what? Sonic pressed his pointed ear a bit closer to the door, perking up as he eavesdropped the conversation.

"…And do you remember when I told you about the Lord of Games, a guy who basically controls my land like a simulation?" Banjo asked. "He told me to seek out a certain blue hedgehog before we escaped Galeem's attack, which he claims is the one responsible for all this. I never thought we would blabber it out from our own mouths… but I think we found him. Sonic the Hedgehog." With an expression of utter surprise, Sonic walked away from the room, both confused and keeping his lips shut about the conversation.

No one needed to know how or why he was important, and he cannot remember how come either.

Chapter 78: The Cosmic Jester

Summary:

Once Group C makes their way into the Mysterious Dimension, they find out that it's ruled by a demonic jester that's both adorable and terrifying. They soon discover this small boss is more clever than he adds onto the games he plays.

Chapter Text

Far up north, journeying through some sort of cybernetic pathway dotted with binary codes and electrical currents was Group C, with Samus, Bowser, Pichu, Lucas, King Dedede, Lucario, Isabelle, Piranha Plant, and Mii Gunner as the teammates. The path they were walking on split up into fiber roots, which were coated in glowing diamonds and fuse wires.

"Oh geez," Sherry sighed, rubbing her temple. "I had no idea things would get this intense…"

"Don't count your lucky stars just yet, chieftess," Samus responded. "Hopefully things will get better once we're through with Galeem and Dharkon…" As they continued down the path, King Dedede noticed something in the confusing walkway.

"Do y'all see this?" King Dedede asked in his stereotypical Southern accent, pointing at what caught the glimpse of his eye. The fighters looked in the direction the King of Dreamland was focusing on, spotting a portal surrounded by crystals. This could probably be the location of the sub-area they were traveling to.

"Nice eye, Dedede," Lucario responded. "You have the potential of a navigator." The fighters walked across the glass path, keeping their eyes on the portal. Little did they know of what was to happen next before any one of the fighters could jump through the portal. Samus' visor started beeping, alerting her of an incoming threat.

"Everybody, back away from the portal!" Samus warned, pushing her pals back. A Crazy Hand that was not the one from Arcadia slammed its palm down onto the futuristic ground, missing as soon as the armored bounty hunter jumped back.

"Look-y who we have here," the Crazy Hand spoke in a voice different from Hakai's, its fingers twitching uncontrollably. "Figured I would bump into you here. Oh, Dharkon and Hakai would be so pleased of the boss I'm gonna bring out! Porky! Sans! Take them out!" The Crazy Hand snapped its fingers, vanishing upon sight. A Launch Star spawned above the portal, sending out yet another captured fighter. It was the Rosalina & Luma Primary, with both the blue-dressed maiden and her yellow star child glaring at the team with violet eyes. Landing right behind her with a thud so hard it cracked the ground was the Pig King Statue, looking exactly how it appeared twenty years prior. The statue bursted open with rubble flying everywhere, with the long legs of Porky's bot crawling out with the horrid stench of a nauseating gas accompanying the Pigmask Commander surrounding the machine.

"So… I get the Porky thing, but where's this Sans guy?" Sherry asked, taking a close look at the Rosalina & Luma Primary.

"Isn't it obvious?" a voice from the Rosalina being of the captured fighter duo asked. An image flashed on her chest, showcasing a skeleton with a funny smile, a blue hoodie over a white shirt, and red slippers.

"You're Sans, aren't you?" Isabelle asked in a curious tone.

"Why wouldn't I be?" the Rosalina & Luma Primary asked. "The ruler of the sub-area is a special one indeed. I guess you can say he has a BONE to pick with you guys." The classic comical rimshot played out of nowhere in the futuristic landscape, with the teammates of Group C looking around in confusion as the captured fighter smiled awkwardly.

"Not… cool," Porky Minch spoke from inside his robot. "You always gotta plan ahead with your jokes."

"Get it…?" the Rosalina & Luma Primary asked, sweat dripping down her face. "It's because… I'm a skeleton, and we're made out of bones, so… Ah, screw it. Sic em, Porky!" The captured fighter grabbed ahold of the Luma of the duo, jumping on top of the machine and letting Porky do the rest of the work. The Smashers readied their weapons and attacked once more.

Samus grabbed ahold of Pichu, jumping on top of the Porky Bed-Mecha as it dashed towards the fighters. The captured fighter on top launched her possessed Luma at the two fighters, attacking as usual. While Pichu was busy with the Luma, the armored bounty hunter started spamming charged shots and missiles. However, the blue maiden of the Rosalina & Luma Primary simply started dodging and parrying, avoiding all her attacks.

"This isn't my job to join the fight," the captured fighter spoke up in that laid-back tone from Sans. "However, I can't say I won't participate." The possessed Luma flew back to the corrupted blue maiden, hitting Pichu into Porky's jabbing legs. It blasted a powerful laser at Samus like a Gaster Blaster, knocking her off the Bed-Mecha. Lucario got right in front of her, throwing an Aura Sphere at the glass vial containing Porky. The Pigmask Commander then started releasing Porky Bots that ran towards the team while he released a red orb that shot electricity around his mechanical robot.

As the Rosalina & Luma Primary attacked alongside Porky Minch with Gaster Blasters and bone pillars, the Piranha Plant jumped out of the way while the rest of Group C were weighed down by Porky. He saw all his teammates pinned down by the Bed-Mecha, with the Rosalina & Luma Primary charging up a powerful laser. A Porky Not was approaching behind the Piranha Plant, just ready to self-destruct. The carnivorous flower grabbed ahold of the bot with his mouth and dashed towards Porky Minch, avoiding the electrical attacks.

"I told you I will fight, even if it isn't my job," the captured fighter spoke, trying to hit the fast Piranha Plant with fast pillars sticking out of the ground while the other fighters squirmed below the Bed-Mecha's clutches. The Piranha Plant avoided all that and landed right behind the captured fighter. Despite being able to dodge so many attacks, the possessed blue maiden and her star child could not avoid the carnivorous flower's forward smash, which involved the plant turning into a black, spiky variant of itself. The captured fighter duo was knocked off, but they quickly grabbed onto the legs of the machine. As an electrical ball was forming from Porky's legs stretched above him, the Piranha Plant smashed through the glass vial with his flower pot, shoving the Porky Bot into the same part where the Pigmask Commander was controlling. As soon as the Rosalina & Luma Primary climbed on top of the Bed-Mecha, the possessed blue maiden saw the Piranha Plant with his rescued teammates run farther from the bot, which had Porky Minch stuffed with a Porky Bot about to self-destruct within that glass vial.

"Well, it was worth a shot," the captured fighter chuckled, sweat dripping down her face as Sans within her knew what was about to happen next. Porky Minch's robot exploded from that encounter, killing both the Pigmask Commander and the Rosalina & Luma Primary. The fighters stood from a safe distance as they saw the remaining pieces of the Bed-Mecha go up in flames.

"People these days," Bowser scoffed, his thick, scaly arms folded across his chest as he watched the Sans Spirit and the shattered Dharkon Lock float away in the black sky down south. "You finally relax after so much bloodshed and company shows up."

"I think I can use a hand," Isabelle spoke, the assistant mayor Shih Tzu dog running towards the cooling rubble. Isabelle began digging through the mechanical legs and wires, with Lucas and Samus helping her. Soon, the team saw a dirty hand crawl out from the rubble, followed with coughing from both Rosalina & her Luma, who were lacking the red aura and had their eyes reverted back to their normal colors. The blue maiden was holding her star child tightly, shielding it from the impactful blast. The way the Luma's eyes shown with such sadness, such trauma, was enough to convince Isabelle to pick up the star child and hug it with so much care. Samus and Lucas helped Rosalina climb out of the rubble as the other teammates got back together.

"Oh my…" Rosalina sighed as her Luma squirmed out of Isabelle's arms and flew into it's mother's arms. "How long was I out?"

"Ten years, give or take," King Dedede answered, picking up his hammer. "You wouldn't happen to know any secrets beyond that portal, do ya gal?"

"Now that I think about it, I do," Rosalina answered, levitating towards the portal. "The ruler of this dimension is one of the gatekeepers to the Dharkon Void, no surprise. However, he seems to be far more twisted and dangerous than what Dharkon considers 'normal' in HIS multiverse, some even saying he's far too powerful that even the Seraph of Chaos locked him here. This ancient demon clearly hates visitors, and would do whatever he can to get rid of us…"

"Cut the chit-chat and let's get going already," Samus responded, already walking through the blue portal. Rosalina and her Luma followed the armored bounty Hunter in, with Piranha Plant, Lucas, Bowser, King Dedede, Pichu, Lucario, and the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn walking in. What the fighters saw as they arrived in the sub-area surprised them greatly.


Streaks of light graced across the torn-up sky, revealing a void of obsidian black behind those clear, cloudy blues. Roots and paths of light were the only things connecting pieces of land to each other, conjoining them into a web of trails. Places from different worlds, whether fictional or reminiscent of our own planet, were torn apart by the gravity spiraling from the glowing vortex swirling everything around. The atmosphere was neither light nor heavy, just simply an enigma.

As the fighters walked past the portal down a rocky path laden with crystals, their guards pricked up once they heard laughter echo throughout the sub-area. The laughter was filled with the content of despair and chaos, sounding like a terrifying madman. As the Smashers looked around the place, King Dedede started to get déjà vu from the maniacal hysteria. For whatever reason, the King of Dreamland started getting… terrible memories. They were just flashes in his mind, but what he remembered was of a mechanical comet stylized like a stopwatch, surrounded by seven glowing stars, and the laughter… the laughter… Even if Kirby was with the group, there was a high chance he would know about the one behind this dimension.

"I know that gosh-dang laugh anywhere," King Dedede growled, raising his hammer. "Show yourself, ya evil demon!" The other fighters heard the King of Dreamland snap at nothing, curious as to what was going on. Making the fighters drop their guards was a large bubble floating right towards the group. Its oily texture was littered with neon rainbows, making it look sickly to the naked eye. It rippled as soon as the being in charge revealed his face to the group.

The boss of the sub-area was nothing more than a light pink demon with large, violet eyes filled with stars. His little smile had small fangs, and the jester's hat he was wearing was blue with white circles on his right side and red with white triangles on his left side. The demon had no visible arms, but he had a red bowtie and large brown shoes. He grinned with a vicious smile as the bubble suddenly bursted, and a bright aura accompanied by the demon's laughter shone above the Smashers. As the light faded and the mysterious being laughed again, golden wings stretched out like a pterodactyl, each decorated with flashing hexagon scales and a heart-shaped jewel. Claws appeared in the middle of his wings, supposedly serving as arms. Once the light vanished and the laughter stopped, the strange being in person floated down to his prey, shaking his head.

"Well, well, well, well, well-well-well-well-well-well-well," the demon chuckled, not moving his wings as he levitated around the group. "Don't you know it's rude to break into someone's house without knocking? Name's Marx, and I figured we'd meet again, Triple-D." Marx rested one of his wings on King Dedede's shoulder, clearly being nothing more than a nuisance.

"Alright, punk," Bowser snapped. "We know you're working for Dharkon, so come and give us a fight!" As the Koopa King lunged straight for Marx, the winged jester simply teleported behind Bowser, making him fall flat on his face.

"Y'know, I have to admit," Marx spoke in a cheerful tone. "You sure do look funny when you trip. But I'm not here to fight right now. I've come to deliver you a message."

"Message…?" Lucas asked.

"That this is gonna be different than all the other times you've encountered a boss," Marx answered, floating above the fighters. "I just wanna play with you before you guys get to attack me. If you all manage to defeat me at the center of that vortex, I'll give you a chance to fight against Dharkon."

"So does this mean you work for Dharkon or Galeem?" Lucario asked.

"I work for neither," Marx answered, shrugging his arm-wings. "Even if Dharkon technically has control over me, I work for my own limits, which could explain why he locked me here. So would you participate in my game… ò̡̧͞͠r̵͘͟ ̧͞d̶̶̢̧i̷̕ę̷̵̛͞!̶̶̶̀͜?̷͟͠" By the time the jester from Kirby's universe said those last two words, his smile stretched across his face and revealed a row of sharp, long teeth, his eyes spread slightly apart from each other with his irises shrinking and becoming more narrow vertically until they were slit, and his voice turned into something more hellish and demonic.

"Guess we don't have a choice," Rosalina sighed, comforting a terrified Luma, Isabelle, and Lucas. "What kind of game do you want us to play?"

"Just a game that asks how much do you know of the different worlds you came from," Marx answered, his voice returning to his normal tone and once again sporting his adorable wide eyes and small smile. "Since you're gonna be here for a while, figures I would get to know you guys a little better. There are many Supporters you'll go up against, and if you're lucky a Primary. All you have to do is answer my questions correctly until we get to the place where I feel like fighting you guys, specifically the glowing vortex in the center of the realm. Try not to die, and good luck!" Just like that, Marx vanished from the group. The Piranha Plant and Pichu both walked up to Samus, who was looking at the world they just set foot in. Only a few minutes in the sub-area and that boss was already giving her the creeps.

"We can do this, buddies," Samus spoke to the carnivorous flower and tiny Pokémon. However, before the group was allowed to go any further, Marx teleported right behind them, still with his golden pterodactyl wings with flashing hexagon scales.

"Oh, yeah," Marx spoke. "One more thing… try not to cheat or lose any of the questions once. Here in the Mysterious Dimension, where I basically control everything, you guys have consequences for failure, and I have eyes everywhere." As soon as the cosmic jester said that, eyeballs of blue, hazel, and amber opened up below the ground, frightening the Smashers and forcing them not to step on any of the blinking eyes. The eyes that formed on the sky and the crumbling ground looked at the group, giving them a grim reminder of the realm they were trapped in.

"See ya suckers later," Marx finished, bowing his head as he floated upward in midair. "I'll stick around and ask you guys the questions. Shouldn't take long until you get to your first trivia…" As soon as the eyes all vanished, Marx himself teleported away. The group looked back on the new world set in front of them, keeping their eyes on the glowing vortex.

"We have to do this," Samus sighed, holding onto her arm cannon.

"We're with you till the end," the Mii Gunner responded, holding a face of determination.

Chapter 79: First Quizzes

Summary:

Marx prepares a simple game for the group: one of which involves life or death. The fighters in the Mysterious Dimension are going to have to think of the best answer to get to the place where the jester wants to truly play.

Chapter Text

The fighters made their way down the rocky path, and it wasn't long before they came across a three-way route, all of them leading to a crumbling concrete road several feet away. It was too far away for the Smashers to make the jump, and they knew about that.

"We better be careful, guys," Samus spoke, going ahead of the group before she stopped. "King Dedede, you said you know this Marx demon before. What can you recall about him?"

"There ain't anythin' horrible he can't do," King Dedede answered. "Back in Dreamland, everyone called him the town clown, and I hired him to be my court jester when I heard of him. However, the Galactic Nova arrived thanks to that Kirby, and Marx became the demon you see him as of right now. Even I tried to stop his plans of world domination."

"Galactic… Nova?" Rosalina asked. "I'm quite sure I heard of that before…"

"Anyone who's traveled to different universes pretty much knows about the comet," King Dedede continued. "This Marx is a clever one indeed. That little runt has a snappy sense of humor, but you better not underestimate his jokes. He quickly loses his temper due to impatience of certain things as well as failures of plans going on in his head we might as well never know the secrets of. If we continue down that path, there could be a chance where that little hellion might as well lead us into a pit with sharks, blending blades, lasers, or whatever horrible, gruesome death you can imagine." Just as the King of Dreamland finished, Marx himself appeared right before the group, laughing with a witty sense of humor.

"What's going on, Triple-D?" Marx asked while he rested his chin on his folded wings. "You lecturing the flesh sacks you call friends about my history with you? Puh-lease. The only thing you should worry lecturing about is your first quiz!" The galactic ambition snapped his claws like they were fingers, and different teams appeared on each end of the broken three-way fork in the rocky path, each one made out of different tiny Supporters with violet eyes. The team on the group's left side had purple Donkey Kongs, the middle had Pichus with white flowers, and the path on their right side had Jigglypuffs with red flowers.

"First question is rather simple: which of these Pikmin can fly?" Marx asked. "Answer correctly and you advance down the path. Answer incorrectly… well..." The spherical demon chuckled as he thought of an idea for their punishment. "Thank Triple-D for the idea of a pit of sharks with laser eyes and blending blade fins, because you'll fall into it if you fail…" The ground remained transparent for a while to let the group see that swimming in a pool of acid were great-white sharks that cut into each other's skin with their sharp fins and lasers shot out of their eyes.

"Try to think of which Supporter team holds the right choice," Marx finished. "The ground will collapse underneath you and make you fall into that pit unless you pick a question." The galactic jester vanished from sight, and the Smashers looked at each other.

"Pikmin?" Isabelle asked. Just as soon as Isabelle said that, different images of the Supporter teams flashed above them. For the Donkey Kongs, it was a Purple Pikmin, the Pichus had a Yellow Pikmin, and the Jigglypuffs had a Flying Pikmin. The tiny Jigglypuff team was exactly what Samus went after.

"Well that was easy," Samus answered, approaching the tiny Jigglypuff team. "Even if we haven't visited the planet Olimar crashed on, we can obviously tell this is the correct choice simply by the bug-like wings." The ground started rumbling underneath the armored bounty hunter as the tiny Jigglypuff team surrounded her, with Marx appearing in front of the group once more.

"She chose her answer," Marx spoke, getting in front of the group and preventing them from getting to Samus. The piece of land that broke off from the path wasn't even a few feet off the ground before Samus swatted down Jigglypuff Supporter after Jigglypuff Supporter.

"Now let's see if it's the correct- Well, that was short," Marx sighed with mild annoyance, noticing that Samus had knocked out the entire Jigglypuff team within the span of a few seconds before a UV sphere formed around the land piece. The other two Supporter teams vanished into Shadow Bugs from the rocky path, leaving Samus to fall down back to her group alongside the piece of land.

"They were nothing more than pesky bugs," Samus reassured her friends, brushing off her arm cannon. "Kinda easy, if you ask me." The Cosmic Jester floated down to the Smashers, honestly surprised. Even for a Mii Fighter that entered his realm as stated before, none of them knocked out an entire team of tiny puppets that fast.

"Y'know, I'm impressed with you guys," Marx spoke, folding his wings across his nonexistent chest. "You're awfully persistent for a bunch of meat toys. You're free to move on to the next quiz. But the next one'll be a bit more difficult than those pathetic teams…" Marx snapped his talons like fingers, vanishing as soon as he created a path of light from the group's right side to the crumbling concrete road.

The Piranha Plant slid down the light path, safely making it to the other side. The carnivorous flower waved his two leaves like hands, alerting his pals that he was alright. Rosalina held on tight to her Luma as she went down the light path, with Bowser and King Dedede following. Once all the fighters made it onto the concrete road, they continued down that route. The different land piece they stepped on was of a grassy hill, with large roots wrapped around nameless tombstones in front of them. Looking to their right from the main path to their left, the Smashers could see the roots were connected to a humongous tree, its branches unstable to climb to the big junkyard sitting on top. Lucario's eyes widened as he saw a red aura and violet eyes at that junkyard, obviously a Primary watching them from above.

"It's one of our friends!" Lucario exclaimed, running towards the large tree. Bowser and King Dedede followed behind the Aura Pokémon, with the rest of their friends staying behind. Marx, however, appeared in front of the group, stopping Lucario by pressing his talons against the tip of the Pokémon's face.

"Not so fast," Marx objected. "You want to rescue one of your many friends here, you better solve all the questions I ask you in certain locations before you advance." Two Supporters arrived behind Marx this time: one was a puppet of Fox McCloud with lime clothing with the Spirit of a fox with a blue apron wrapped around his waist, and the other was a Mario clone with his Builder outfit and the Spirit of a mustached man wearing a white apron and brown clothing.

"Question two: which Spirit usually sells furniture?" Marx asked, floating behind the Supporters. "Is it Redd inside a Fox puppet or the Maruhige Shop Owner within the Mario one? Your choice… oŗ̵̵̕ ͏̸͘y͘͘͝o͏̀́͜u̴̢̧͡͠ŕ̴̛͡ ̢̛̛͢d͘ę͠á̵̡͜t̡͘h̡̀́͝!͜͝͏̸̸" With those last three words in his sentence, Marx flashed those slit eyes and enlarged smile, terrifying the group with his demonic voice before he shifted back to his normal-ish self and vanished. Bowser, Lucario, and King Dedede went ahead while the other fighters stood back.

"I think I know the answer!" Isabelle called out, considering she knew who sells furniture. "It's Redd! Try doing that!" Lucario, upon hearing the mayor's assistant, approached the Fox Supporter, stretching his fists.

"Let's get this over with," Lucario sighed, using the move Force Palm on the puppet with the Redd Spirit.

"Hope your puppy's right," Marx's voice echoed throughout the Mysterious Dimension. "How unfortunate that would be if this was the wrong choice." The ground rumbled underneath the Aura Pokémon and the lime Fox Supporter, with the Town & City stage forming around them. The UV sphere closed around the two warriors, creating the background for the stage before the Fox Supporter began dashing towards Lucario in a fit of rage.

Lucario, upon blocking the incoming attacks, watched as crates filled with wacky items spawned in midair and dropped onto the stage, gravitating towards the puppet fighter. The Fox Supporter picked up the crates one by one, throwing them at Lucario. The Pokémon took advantage of this and dodged them on by one, keeping in mind of the items that dropped out of the boxes. There was an Ore Club, Beetle, and Pitfall all moving towards the lime Fox Supporter. Lucario quickly grabbed ahold of the Pitfall and threw it onto the ground feet ahead of the puppet fighter before holding onto the Ore Club, not having enough time to get the Beetle from the Fox Supporter.

"Why don't we just talk about this?" Lucario asked, swinging the Ore Club at the Beetle flying towards him and breaking it. "How do you feel of how Galeem and Dharkon have been treating you all these years? What do you have to go through to end up in a body you are most uncomfortable with?" The Fox Supporter simply did not answer as it matched towards the Pokémon, unaware of the Pitfall set down before as it buried the puppet fighter in the ground.

"Guess you leave me no choice…" Lucario sighed, swinging his Ore Club at the vulnerable puppet's face, knocking it into the blast zone surrounding the Town & City stage. The UV sphere dissolved into thin air, and the terrain of the battlefield merged with the ground in front of the tree. Lucario made a soft landing, hoping that the Redd Spirit he rescued was the correct choice to go up to the junkyard. Much to their surprise, a path of light streamed up next to the Builder Mario Supporter, which disintegrated into Shadow Bugs while taking the Maruhige Shop Owner Spirit with it. Marx appeared again, rather surprised by this.

"Okay, you guys win this round thanks to that small mutt of yours," Marx sighed, folding his wings behind his body. "Now just rescue your friend up there and we'll get going with the more difficult challenges. I'm not gonna bother you until you rescue your friend up there." Bowser, King Dedede, and Lucario all looked at each other before they turned around to their group.

"You guys wait right here," Bowser said, letting his claws latch onto the path of light before it automatically took him to the junkyard atop the branches. Lucario and King Dedede followed after him, already prepared to rescue one of their many friends trapped within the Mysterious Dimension.

The three fighters looked around the junkyard, starting to feel worried about the Spirits trapped in this realm as they searched for one of the Primaries. What would ever happen to the Spirits that were the incorrect answers? How would they try their best to escape from the draconic gods? Is there a way for the Spirits to obtain their bodies and return home if they finally defeat Galeem and Dharkon?

As King Dedede and Lucario were looking through the junkyard to find the Primary, Bowser heard something scurry through the trash. The Koopa King looked around and saw a figure creeping around behind the garbage piles. At first, Bowser thought it was Marx playing another one of his tricks again, but the figure was a different shape from the jester. Eventually, the noise stopped, and Bowser crept up to a small pile of where he believed the mysterious guest was hiding.

Once Bowser lifted up the trash in one clean scoop with both of his clawed hands, unable to hear the sounds of the stranger running away, he suddenly spotted Marx hiding behind the pile. In his talons, the demon held some sort of crown with eyes, and he shoved it onto Bowser's red hair. A cloud of pink glitter engulfed Bowser, and his transformation changed completely. What remained of the Koopa King now stood a Peach look-alike with golden hair, pale skin, a black strapless dress, spiked bracelets, and horns on the sides of the crown resting on her head. The transformed Bowser screamed in horror while Marx laughed hysterically, gathering the attention of Lucario and King Dedede.

"Ah! Get it off me!" the Bowser-Peach hybrid cried in a voice similar to Peach, her face beaming red as she tried to adjust to the situation. When King Dedede and Lucario heard Marx laughing humorously, they attempted not to laugh.

"GET IT OFF ME!" the transformed Bowser squealed, grabbing ahold of the crown on her head and pulling it off. Bowser turned back to normal, filled with relief, and threw the crown at Marx. Once the power-up hit the demon's face, Marx could do nothing but hold in his laughs.

"You said you weren't gonna bother us!" Bowser snapped, growling in his usual voice.

"I'm sorry…!" Marx snickered as he hid his mouth behind his talons. "I just couldn't resist. You were pretty gullible enough to fall into that trick."

"You sure looked cute when you looked like a gal," King Dedede chuckled, causing the Koopa King to sweat nervously.

"Okay, okay," Marx sighed, trying to calm his laughter down. "No more bothering you like that. Y'know, before I put that crown on Bowser's head and turned him into a gothic princess, there was another fighter hiding behind that pile. The challenger has been stuck in my realm for quite a while, and they know all about my tricks and traps. They're not even a Primary. They left before I appeared and pulled that prank on Bowser."

The three Smashers could not believe it. Had they just missed contact with the sixth warrior to survive Galeem's attack? Not much was spoken about the mysterious figure as soon as it hid behind one of the piles, vanishing without a trace.

"Oh, by the way, the pal you're looking for is right behind you," Marx continued. "Sic 'em, Regigigas!" The demonic entity vanished without another word. Lucario, King Dedede, and Bowser turned around to see none other than the R.O.B. Primary, who was possessed by the Colossal Pokémon. King Dedede charged straight for the captured fighter, but the R.O.B. Primary simply used his robotic arms to block the massive hammer swings. He then picked up the King of Dreamland, flinging him into a pile of trash.

This left the R.O.B. Primary open to Lucario's powerful kicks, and he began dodging the gray arms swinging over his head. The captured fighter's torso moved down the spine, and it spun around in a circle down at the base. Lucario flinched from the attack and jumped back, but Bowser was basically indestructible as he charged a forward smash behind the R.O.B. Primary. King Dedede jumped out from the trash pile and started thrusting his mallet in front of him, hitting the possessed ex-Ancient Minister and knocking him into the ground. Once the R.O.B. Primary stood up, he kept an open mind of a Gordo flying straight for his face. He used his side special, spinning his arms around his body and reflecting the Gordo at Bowser. Lucario got in front of the Koopa King and used Double Team, sending it back at King Dedede. The King of Dreamland inhaled his own Gordo and spat it behind the R.O.B. Primary, creating enough damage to knock out the captured fighter.

As R.O.B.'s unconscious body fell to the ground, the red mist surrounding his robotic body broke off with the Dharkon Lock, the Regigigas Spirit flew off in the red cloud, freeing R.O.B. from the control of the Seraph of Chaos. R.O.B.'s camera eyes slowly adjusted as he looked up, the shutters adjusting his vision as he got back on the wheels below his base.

"Looks like you're safe now," Lucario sighed with relief. "Come on. We have no time to waste, and who knows what kinds of tricks Marx has in his grimy claws?" The Aura Pokémon got to the edge of the light path, sliding from the junkyard down the tree back to the group. As R.O.B., King Dedede, and Bowser followed after him, the mysterious figure watching before peeked out from one of the garbage piles in the junkyard, still keeping their face hidden. Marx appeared right behind the hidden fighter, standing on the dirty ground and wingless.

"I suppose you're waiting for a chance to show up, huh?" Marx asked the stranger. "You think combining your strength with these guys can stop what I have planned? I suppose I can kill you right there and now, but where's the fun in that?" Marx then floated into the air, his golden wings with hexagon scales appearing as he vanished, leaving behind the hidden stranger and his echoing laughter ringing throughout the Mysterious Dimension.

Chapter 80: More Games To Play

Summary:

The fighters start becoming more aware of the sixth survivor trapped with them in this realm, and they are willing to get Marx to spill the beans of what he has planned up his sleeves.

Chapter Text

The reunited fighters made their way to a pathway of two hills on their left, which were spiraled like soft-served ice cream. By the time they approached closer, six Supporters arrived on the sides of each hill. The Supporters on the left path were of PAC-MAN, Mario, and Luigi. On the right was an Isabelle clone, and in the middle of the two hills were a tiny Jigglypuff and normal-sized Daisy. Marx appeared in front of the group, resting his spherical body on one of the hills.

"Next question is gonna be about harder: which of these Spirits is a Nopon?" Marx asked, pulling out a stopwatch with hands spinning left and right rapidly, with nonsensical words like "eleventeen" and "fifty-twen" replacing the numbers. "You've got 30 seconds to solve this one, or you're going out ACME-style!" The Smashers looked up in the sky, spotting a giant anvil hanging over them by a weak thread. Isabelle trembled in place at how humongous that thing was, holding her paws in front of her face.

"Hope you end up like those Saturday-morning cartoons with stars dancing around your faces!" Marx laughed, vanishing via teleportation. Rosalina approached the Supporters, scratching her head in confusion.

"What even is a Nopon?" Rosalina asked, her Luma shrugging its stubby arms as a response.

"Well, do we at least have a fighter that knows anything about Nopons?" Bowser replied.

"From what I could recall, Shulk had been talking about how Nopons and Homs have been living in peace in Bionis, helping each other out," Samus answered. "First, you need to know which one of these Spirits is a Nopon?" Rosalina looked back at the Supporters before she looked up at the anvil, its thread near the verge of breaking. The team with the PAC-MAN clone revealed a Spirit known as Starlow, the Jigglypuff and Daisy Supporters showed Tora, and the Isabelle Supporter had Nago as its puppeteer.

"Watcha waiting for?" Marx's voice echoed. "The clock's ticking…" Rosalina carefully and quickly analyzed the different Spirits, remembering the fact that Marx had eyes everywhere. After careful consideration, she and her Luma approached the team with Jigglypuff and Daisy, unaware that the anvil's thread broke and was now falling on the team of fighters. The Smashers looked up in fear of being crushed before Marx appeared below them. Despite being tiny, the jester demon was carrying the weight of the giant anvil quite easily.

"She picked her prey," Marx spoke. "Pray that it's the right choice or there's gonna be bloody fruitcake on the road."

"You do know what dem Nopon critters look like, right?" King Dedede asked.

"I am aware," Rosalina answered, setting her eyes on the Jigglypuff and Daisy Supporters in the middle of the two hills. "I just hope I'm correct." The blue maiden felt the ground underneath her rumble, and a barrier of white blinded her and her Luma. It seemed as though the Supporters were growing farther from her because the stage shifted into the Gaur Plains stage.


As soon as things seemed to calm down, Rosalina & Luma looked at the other side of the peculiar cliff to see the two puppets constantly shielding, walking around without attacking the maiden in order to recharge their shields. The Luma began speaking in its chirpy language by which its mother could understand.

"So you're telling me that their shields can absorb more damage and not shrink upon impact, and the best solution is throwing them into the blast zone?" Rosalina asked. The Luma nodded its nonexistent head, and the blue maiden took that into consideration before she daintily jumped to the other cliff. The Supporters didn't instantly start attacking her but instead continued shielding. This left them open to Rosalina grabbing the Daisy Supporter and tossing it into the blast zone. The blue maiden turned around to see the Jigglypuff Supporter wasn't attacking her, but was still shielding. Rosalina used the wand in her hand to let the Luma charge up a forward smash and break the shield in one hit. Due to Jigglypuff's shield instantly KO-ing upon breaking, the Supporter shot straight up to the blast zone, letting Rosalina & Luma win the battle.


Before she could think straight, the ground underneath her rumbled, and the landscape around her faded, transforming back into the strange atmosphere of the Mysterious Dimension. Upon spotting this, Marx tossed the giant anvil he was carrying up into the air, shooting a giant laser from his mouth and dissolving the anvil into dust which snowed upon the fighters.

"Right again, fellas!" Marx chuckled, snapping his talons like fingers. The remaining Supporters vanished once again, and a path of light spawned between the two hills, advancing to the next path.

"You're a lot more clever than you look, especially Chicken Balls," Marx continued. Samus got rather irritated by this as she raised her arm cannon at the demonic jester, considering how she was raised by Chozos and she often rolls around in her suit.

"Easy, Samus," Lucario reassured, helping her lower her weapon. Marx vanished once again, and the group began gliding to the end of the path of light. Where they landed next was a dystopian city with broken buildings floating around. Cherry trees grew next to the concrete road they were on, which split up into four paths of levitating rubble. Marx appeared in front of them again, rubbing his talons together.

"Let's get this over with," Marx sighed. "Which of these Spirits has ruled the Twilight Realm before Midna returned to power?" Supporters appeared on all but one of the paths, with the fourth route in the middle on the group's right obviously being the advancement to the next road. On the rightmost path was a Robin Supporter clothed in dark violet with black hair controlled by Zant, the leftmost path had two Robins with red clothing as Agahnim, and next to the puppet team on their left was a black King K. Rool Supporter possessed by The Imprisoned.

"This has to be a simple answer, right?" Lucas asked. "Link, Zelda, Ganondorf: they all had designs from the era when the Twilight Realm merged with Hyrule as they explained it twenty years ago. Ganondorf mainly talked about how he convinced a being named Zant to control the Twilight Realm and overthrow his mistress, who was Midna at that time. It obviously can't be Agahnim since he has no knowledge of the Twilight Realm, and The Imprisoned was obviously reincarnated into the Ganondorf we're familiar with."

"I appreciate someone that's timid but has encyclopedic knowledge," Marx chuckled, watching the Piranha Plant walk up to the black-clothed Robin Supporter.

"Please choose the right one…" Isabelle told the carnivorous flower.

"Pichu Pichu…" Pichu squeaked. The Piranha Plant walked up to the route that the Zant Spirit was on, licking his white lips. The carnivorous flower wasted no time biting deep into the black Robin Supporter's leg, holding its squirming arms as the ground rumbled underneath the plant. The path broke off, shifting into the Battlefield version of the Bridge of Eldin. The Robin Supporter tossed a Pokéball in the center of the stage, and Abra was released from it. The Piranha Plant also knew that the battle was timed, so he had to be fast.

The carnivorous flower moved around the stage, watching out for the floating and teleporting Abra which was gonna get him offstage as well as avoiding moves like Thunder and Arcfire. He moved left and right until the Pokémon vanished naturally, leaving the Piranha Plant to keep on spamming his poisonous spits and spiked balls at the Robin Supporter. The puppet fighter then suddenly grew big, but it wasn't enough to save itself as the Piranha Plant simply thrusted his flower pot downward, spiking the puppet before it could use Elwind to recover.

Once Piranha Plant reappeared in front of the group, the other three Supporters disintegrated into Shadow Bugs and retreated before they could rescue the captured Spirits. A path of light stemmed from the empty route, spiraling down to a giant steel roof merged with a construction site.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Marx sighed as he levitated a bit higher, starting to get rather annoyed by the fact that his prey was answering correctly. "You know the drill. You go down there and get ready to answer the next question." The demon then vanished, and the group advanced to the next location. By the time they landed, there were two paths for them to choose, one of them was the path on their left which led to a spring near a tourist plane at the end, covered in vines and attached to a tree. The main route to the vortex was on their right.

"Alright, people," Samus spoke, going first in front of the group. "Marx's quizzes may be easy for us, but he might pull another trick on us…" The armored bounty hunter was unaware of her surroundings until she was ambushed by a Water Shuriken. Samus' visors quickly alerted her, and she quickly rolled up into a ball and dodged the attack. Jumping out from the shadows was the Greninja Primary, which landed on top of one of the rusting cranes. The Master Legendary Spirit possessing Greninja's body was the Nightmare Pokémon Darkrai.

"Well, well, well," Marx chuckled as he watched from the sky, sporting his enlarged smile and demonic eyes. "Looks like you fellas found a new pal to rescue, and he's controlled by a Pokémon that creates nightmares! T̵̵͟͠͠ḩ͟į̷͟͡s̢͢ ̕͘͟i̵̕͜͡s̵̷̨ ̕͝g̴̛̛͘ó̴̀͠n̴̛͜n̡͢͝͡a͏͝ ̧b͜ȩ̵̧ ̨́̀f̀͠u̶̷͢͝͝n̶͘͝!̶͘" The jester simply levitated in midair, clapping his talons together and spawning a striped recliner, creating a container of popcorn for him to snack on.

"Dark… Let me get a good look at the party," Darkrai's voice spoke from the Greninja Primary as he crept his way around the group. "You seem to be the perfect targets Dharkon has instructed me to hunt down. Allow me to help you though with this mission." The Greninja Primary cast the move Dark Void, trapping all but the Piranha Plant into a sleep that damaged them in the process. The carnivorous flower use the multi-hitboxes to move out of the void, keeping in mind of the captured fighter's Shadow Sneak move.

"I see you're rather special, considering you are nothing more than a generic enemy," the Greninja Primary chuckled, surprised that the Piranha Plant ducked into his flower pot and was ready to use Long-Stem Strike on the captured fighter. As soon as the Piranha Plant bit into the moist skin of the Greninja Primary, a vortex not from the Dark Void move transported them both to the Final Destination version of Spear Pillar while all the other fighters were asleep.

"Hm… not nearly as exciting when the audience hits the hay," Marx sighed, retaining his original appearance outside of the wings as he loomed over the sleeping fighters, his empty popcorn bucket leaving crumbs on their faces. "Let's see what's happening on the other side…" Marx then shut his eyes as he closed his wings in front of his face, giving him a window into the stage where Piranha Plant was attacking the Greninja Primary.


The carnivorous flower kept his distance from the captured fighter by spamming his spiked balls and poisonous spits, blocking the Greninja Primary's attacks. The captured fighter cast Dark Void again, creating a vortex strong enough to pull the Piranha Plant in. Again, the plant simply used the hurtboxes and moved his way out using Piranhacopter, spinning his leaves around his stem like a chopper.

"Wish I can interfere with the Final Destination, but I clearly don't wanna spoil the fun yet…" Marx chuckled to himself, controlling his voice so that the Piranha Plant could not hear the jester demon. The Greninja Primary heard Marx's voice, distracting it from another one of Piranha Plant's smash attacks by his swinging flower pot. This was enough to send the captured fighter flying off-stage and let the Piranha Plant gimp it with projectiles.

"Impossible!" the Greninja Primary exclaimed, attempting to use Hydro Pump to recover but was constantly gimped until it was too far to grab onto the ledge.

"Don't blame me, Darkrai," Marx's voice resounded as the Greninja Primary fell into the blast zone. "You and all other Primaries before you did this to yourself." The blast zone echoed with the Greninja Primary's defeat, nabbing victory for the plant. The vortex flashed a bright white, bringing the carnivorous flower back to the construction site when the other fighters woke up from the Dark Void move.


"Oh my…!" Isabelle gasped, her face red from embarrassment as she adjusted her skirt. "How humiliating for us to fall asleep in the middle of a fight! What happened anyway?"

"Grenin…" Greninja groaned, rubbing his webbed hand across his face as he was slowly waking up. The Pokémon opened his eyes, with his violet eyes and red mist completely gone while the Darkrai Spirit floated away with the red mist.

"It's alright, Greninja," Rosalina eased. "You're free now…" R.O.B. beeped a couple times when he alerted the other fighters of Marx appearing right in front of them.

"So I suppose some of you are wondering: When's the next quiz?" Marx asked. "Very soon, as long as you hurry along. If you like, you can take the scenic route and have your pals wait until you're done with your little side quest. See ya on the other side!" The demon then vanished, and the other fighters journeyed down the path.

"Rosalina, R.O.B., Greninja, and I will head to the plane for any secrets," Sherry told everyone on the team. "The rest of you wait until we get back." The four fighters ran off to the spring, leaving the other Smashers to wait on the other route on their right.

Chapter 81: Trivias Galore

Summary:

As the challenges get more difficult and life-threatening, Marx starts to see some use in the victims he's keeping in his chaotic realm. Meanwhile, the mysterious guest is willing to emerge from the shadows and jump into the fight against the darkness.

Chapter Text

Once the fighters got to where the path split up, Sherry went with Greninja, Rosalina & Luma, and R.O.B. towards the spring. Marx managed to teleport in front of the small band once they got to the edge of the spring. Right behind the jester was a gold Mii Brawler Supporter, a blue Snake Supporter with a green-clothed Zero Suit Samus, and a gray Ganondorf Supporter.

"So… I've been thinking of the next question to ask you fleshlings, as well as a suitable punishment should you fail," Marx explained, placing one of his claws on his lower lip. "Which of these Spirits is a scientist? If you answer wrong, you'll have to explain yourself to Cackles."

"Cackles?" Rosalina asked. Marx snapped his talons, and emerging from the ground behind them was a birthday clown animated like a 1910's cartoon character with the squash-and-stretch animation, his lower jaw and eyes torn from his face. He had submachine guns replacing his arms, and his legs were supported by eight spider legs.

"I really couldn't think of any ideas," Marx continued, rubbing in the middle of his hat. "So I basically came up with this 2D-abomination from my twisted head. Better pick the answer fast or Cackles will mow you down without your friends to see you as a bloody mess."

"I suppose we can see that," Sherry responded, her heart beating fast with fear as she looked up at the terrifying clown-thing.

"Just solve the quiz before my pet gets impatient," Marx finished. "Oh! And you better not be fighting him. That would count as a death penalty." The demon vanished, and the four fighters slowly approached the different Supporters. The Gold Bone Spirit possessed the gold Mii Brawler Supporter, Adam Malkovich took control of the Snake and Zero Suit Samus puppets, and Andross was the main puppeteer of the Ganondorf Supporter.

"This is harder than it looks," Sherry sighed. "We don't even know if any of these Spirits are canonically smart enough to be classified as scientists…" The clown monster behind the Smashers rubbed his gun-arms together, with his upper teeth growing to a slightly longer length as it smelled their presence. Swallowing the saliva in her mouth, the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn had no idea that R.O.B. moved a bit closer to the Ganondorf Supporter.

"R.O.B.?" the Mii Gunner asked. "What are you doing?" The gray robot then stopped in front of the puppet fighter, moving his arms towards the puppet while he kept on beeping. In his spoken language, he had learned that Fox, Falco, and Wolf all saw Andross as a mad scientist, one who harnessed the energy of the planet Venom and threatened to conquer the Lylat System with Star Wolf by his side. However, considering that the other three fighters cannot understand R.O.B. as well as know the backstories of the three anthropomorphic mercenaries, they were noticeably confused.

"…I hope you're right about this one, R.O.B.," the Mii Gunner sighed, cocking her arm cannon as she slowly approached the Ganondorf Supporter. She looked back on the jawless clown monster, who kept on staring at them. Once the Mii Gunner and R.O.B. stepped in front of the gray Ganondorf Supporter, a UV sphere formed around them once the ground rumbled. The sphere's insides transformed into the lifeless, hazardous landed of the planet Venom, and the ground was metallic under the feet of the two Smashers. They were standing on the wings of the Great Fox, with the Ganondorf Supporter on the other side.

"Keep me covered!" Sherry spoke, charging up her arm cannon as R.O.B. went over the ship to the puppet fighter. The ex-Ancient Minister continuously spammed his Arm Rotor move, drilling into the Ganondorf Supporter on the stage before following up with a string of neutral aerials. Every time the puppet fighter jumped out, Sherry would come out and kick him back in. Every thing was fun for the two Smashers until the main Assist Trophy was summoned.

It was Andross himself… or his mechanical incarnation that in now way represented his simian facial features. The disembodied head started spitting out tiles that targeted the small team, and the Ganondorf Supporter was racking damage upon them.

"We have to keep moving around the stage and get that puppet off the ship!" Sherry told R.O.B. as she ran around the wings and avoiding the tiles. Since they were primarily targeting the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn, the robot saw it as his chance to attack the Ganondorf Supporter with beams and gyros, eventually helping him leading to a powerful spike before the Andross Assist Trophy spotted R.O.B. and targeted him.

After the two Smashers successfully arrived back at the spring, having just released the Andross Spirit from his puppet prison, the other Supporters once again vanished without a trace. Rosalina held tight to her Luma as she and Greninja backed away towards the two fighters, the four of them huddling close to each other as Cackles slowly approached them. Just then, Marx flashed between the monster and the small group. The jawless, blinded clown tilted his head in confusion by that encounter.

"Hey! This was a part of the deal!" Marx scolded the clown creature he made. "You let them go once I see to it that they've answered correctly." The winged jester turned around so he was facing the four Smashers, with a path of light streaming from the spring to the abandoned plane hanging from the vines.

"You guys can go over there, if you like," Marx continued. "Figured you would reunite with an old friend…" Once the four fighters slid down the light path to the slide, Marx looked back at his creation. Even though his eyes were gouged out, he could still feel the trepidations rising from Marx's cold stare. The demon's eyes dilated until they were tiny black dots, his gaze fixated on the other fighters waiting at the second path from the spring.

There was something unnatural about this version of Marx. He may be serving Dharkon for the time being, but his perturbation was at an unnatural level to the point where he would kill anyone if things didn't go his way in a violent rage of temper. He made a slick motion across his nonexistent neck with one of his finger-like talons, mainly just as a means of threatening the creature he made. It would be foolish right now to see the plans Marx had in mind. Why didn't he kill the fighters on the spot like he was assigned to? Maybe out of curiosity, entertainment before the slaughter, or both. One thing's for sure right now: both he and the fighters were being educated.


The four Smashers walked on the large branch, trying to keep their balances on the slippery bark. Rosalina's Luma hovered over the bottomless abyss down below, supporting its mother so she wouldn't fall.

"Careful where you step," Sherry warned, gently placing her foot on the broken wing of the plane. "Looks like this thing isn't well secure…" It wasn't long before what, or who, they were searching for ambushed them the second they set foot on the abandoned plane – Wolf O' Donnell possessed by Mumkhar. The Wolf Primary growled at the four fighters, pulling out his blaster and firing charged shots at the four fighters. He grabbed Greninja as the Pokémon attacked from behind, his claws digging deep into the moist blue skin and causing them to bleed. Greninja simply pushed away and pulled out blades of water, slashing at the captured fighter as the Mii Gunner tossed grenades and bombs. The Wolf Primary noticed Sherry and R.O.B. camping out with projectiles, so he pulled out his reflector and knocked back all the projectiles. This apparently caused the vines to snap, with the other vines giving up holding the plane's weight.

Greninja knocked the Wolf Primary down onto his legs, dashing towards R.O.B. and Sherry on the tree. As the captured fighter dashed towards them on the falling plane, Rosalina slapped the Wolf Primary in the face with her wand while her Luma tied the captured fighter's legs with vines. As soon as the plane was about to fall into the abyss with the Wolf Primary, the four fighters gathered onto the tree and watched with fear in their eyes as the captured fighter fell with the plane into the abyss of the Mysterious Dimension, with the aircraft exploding seconds after for whatever reason. A small moment later, the four Smashers watched as Wolf's unconscious body was carried to where the rest of their friends were waiting at via shattered Dharkon Lock and Mumkhar Spirit.

"Do you think he's…?" Rosalina asked, holding tight to her Luma like a plush toy.

"Yep," the ex-Gunner Ultimate Reborn answered, already knowing what's what. "Let's head back to our pals." Sherry slid back to the spring by the same path of light they took, with Rosalina and her Luma, Greninja, and R.O.B. following after her.


The four Smashers ran back to Samus, Lucario, King Dedede, Bowser, Lucas, Isabelle, Pichu, and Piranha Plant just in time to see Wolf's body gently lowered in front of them. The red mist that carried the Star Wolf leader flew off into the sky with the Mumkhar Spirit, never to return.

"Ugh… my head…" Wolf O' Donnell growled, rubbing half of his face with his hands as he sat up. He opened up his uncovered eye, which was lacking the violet hue it kept around all those years. "I suppose I should thank you guys for saving me…"

"Don't mention it," Sherry chuckled, rubbing the back of her head. "Let's get going now. We still have plenty more souls like you in need of rescuing." Once the group of Smashers continued down the now-wooden path, they were stopped by Marx once again.

"Back from the dead, ain't ya guys?" Marx chuckled, levitating at a height impossible for the fighters to reach. "Hope you're prepared again because it's time for another quiz!" Spawning in different parts of the wooden path this time were two Inkling Supporters: one pink and the other purple, a Pikachu Supporter in its female Pikachu Libre form, and a team of puppets consisting of Wolf, Peach, and Ike.

"Which one of these groups hails from Inkopolis?" Marx asked, snapping his talons again. Spawning right behind the Smashers was some sort of undead creature with different parts of all sort of dinosaurs from multiple eras stitched together.

"Roxy's gonna eat those who don't answer fast as well as those who answer incorrectly," Marx explained. "Don't fuck up or else you'll be inside his belly for the next millennia." In the group with the Wolf Supporter partnered with the Peach and Ike minions, they had the Gangster, Lady, and Policeman Spirit. For the Pikachu Libre Supporter was the Reporter and Wrestler Spirit, and the two Inkling Supporters had Pearl and Marina, otherwise known as Off The Hook.

"The Inklings look like they came from Inkopolis," Samus explained. "Obviously it would be these two fish creatures considering the other Spirit teams don't look like they came from a world of anthropomorphic cephalopods."

"Clever as usual, I see," Marx sighed with a bit of defeat. "This shouldn't be too hard for you then." The demon then vanished the moment Samus stepped in front of the Inkling Supporters. While the battle was being prepared, Isabelle looked to her right to see a cloudy path. Right at the end of the short route was a being with a red aura, violet eyes, and the obvious chance it is…

"Another Primary!" Isabelle silently gasped, running towards the cloud path before she realized something. The Frankenstein's monster-like dinosaur loomed over the innocent dog, his hot, sticky breath warming her coat of blond fur. Marx appeared in front of Roxy via teleportation, easing the monstrous beast.

"Easy, mutt," Marx shushed. "Leave Cuddly-Wuddly to her intentions. We don't want her spoiled for the real fun, don't we?" Roxy, with a soft growl and a sharp gleam in his pale eyes, backed away. Isabelle looked up at Marx, surprised by what he did.

"I… uh… thank you," Isabelle spoke. "For a demon like yourself, you sure do plenty of humane things."

"I appreciate what you just said, puppy," Marx chuckled, not looking Isabelle in the face as he kept his back turned. "Now hurry along and satisfy your curiosity. I wanna be seeing everyone gathered before the big day." Isabelle, without another word, ran off down the cloudy path, leaving Marx to open a visionary window to the Inkopolis stage where Samus and King Dedede were taking down the Inkling Supporters as the Squid Sisters Assist Trophy moved the blast zone closer for a limited time.

When Isabelle walked to the end of the cloudy path to meet up with the Primary, she stopped in front of the captured fighter to admire the features. The being just so happened to be the Corrin Primary possessed by the Master Legendary Azura herself.

"Who dares approach me in this realm of nonsense?" Azura's voice asked from Corrin's body.

"Me!" Isabelle answered with determination. "I came here alone and I'm ready to take you down!"

"What a terrible mistake you made coming here alone," the Corrin Primary spoke. "At least be glad you're free from the terrible pain we have endured all these years. To be locked away from our own bodies that are left to decay on desolated planets until the end of time."

"I know plenty… and that's why I am going to free you – both the Spirit and the captured fighter!" Isabelle responded, pulling out her fishing rod and casting it at the Corrin Primary. The captured fighter managed to dodge it as he jumped up and spun in circles with his Yato Blade. Isabelle quickly dodged that and planted a Lloid Rocket underneath his feet, launching the Corrin Primary into the air. The assistant mayor then hopped up and pulled out pom-poms, whacking them at the captured fighter's face. She then threw a vase into the Corrin Primary's chest before she pulled out a broom and swung it around her body, forcing the Corrin Primary to get back up on his feet.

"You can't stop all of us," the Corrin Primary spoke, the rotor blades in his glowing sword spinning around the weapon like a chainsaw.

"True… but you're in a Smasher's body," Isabelle spoke, keeping a keen eye out for the captured fighter dashing towards her in pure spite. "And every Smasher has a weakness." The assistant mayor cast out her fishing rod as soon as the Corrin Primary cut one of his bare feet from the shattered vase. As the captured fighter groaned in pain from the intense cut, the hook of the fishing rod cut deep into the skin of his other foot. Once Isabelle pulled away, the Corrin Primary groaned from the sounds on his feet. Enraged, the possessed half-dragon transformed into his quadrupedal draconic self, firing a geyser of scalding water. Isabelle's tiny heart quivered as she pulled out her arm and pocketed the geyser. She tossed it back, much to the Corrin Primary's surprise, and the captured fighter was boiled alive.

After the Azura Spirit and the shattered Dharkon Lock left Corrin's healed body, the Dragon Prince slowly opened his red eyes, which no longer held the aura of captivity. Isabelle ran to Corrin, picking up his Yato Blade and giving it to him. Corrin held tight to his weapon, balancing himself with it.

"Relax, Corrin," Isabelle spoke, taking hold of Corrin's empty hand and leading him up the cloudy path.

"I… where am I?" Corrin asked once Isabelle walked back to the group with the half-dragon. The two fighters arrived in time to see Samus and King Dedede successfully defeat the Off The Hook Spirit, freeing Pearl and Marina while the other two Spirit groups vanished with the Shadow Bugs. Roxy's stitched body, after no longer serving its purpose to watch over the fighters, let its body parts collapse into an unstitched dinosaur mess. The bounty hunter suddenly noticed Corrin from within the group, and the other Smashers were filled with relief.

"We thought we would never find you here," Rosalina spoke, with Pichu hopping into Corrin's arms and hugging his chest tightly.

"You can thank Isabelle for rescuing me," Corrin answered. "What is this place anyway? It almost looks like some sort of…"

"Weird Armageddon?" Samus pointed out.

"Exactly," Corrin answered, thanking the bounty hunter for correcting him. "Though I must ask, since most of you guys have just arrived here, would you mind telling me what this Marx person wants from us?"

"Who knows?" the Mii Gunner sighed. "It doesn't seem like he has any real purpose here. He just seems to do his own thing. King Dedede warned up that he's extremely intelligent and will do whatever it takes to get his way… depending on what his motivations are…" A light path stemming from the wooden path appeared, leading to some sort of collapsing colosseum. The massive structure was surrounded by rubble of its limestone shell, no doubt a relic from the Ancient Roman times.

"We better get going," Bowser spoke. "That little demon might not be happy if we lollygag too long." Following the Koopa King, the rest of Group C got on the path of light and slid down to the colosseum. Marx himself teleported onto the wooden path, tucking his golden wings behind his back.

"They clearly don't know about the past, do they?" Marx asked, keeping his eyes their usual big size. Just then, he heard footsteps from behind, and he turned around to face the hidden figure in the shadows.

"Don't give me that attitude," Marx continued. "You chose to stay here after splitting up from your pals. Now you'll need to rely on these flesh sacks in order for you to escape. It's bad enough that you're making my broken rules more broken. Now go follow them. Or don't. It's your choice." Marx floated up into the air, spreading his wings once more and vanishing.

This hidden figure was no doubt another survivor of Galeem's attack prior ten years ago, and they slid down the exact same path of light the group traversed.

Chapter 82: Professor of the Three Houses

Summary:

When the fighters confront another trap, a new stranger joins the fight. Turns out he's more than what they say about his playstyle.

Chapter Text

The hidden figure kept their balance as they slid down the path of light, keeping an eye on the group that came to take down Marx. It felt rather strange. It was like standing on nothing, and it yet somehow felt solid, almost like a landscape in a dream. But to this mysterious stranger, it was completely normal. They had been here for as long as they could remember and they had memorized every nook and cranny of this place. How much of the time they stayed, no one can say for certain - days, weeks, months, who knows? It was the World of Darkness after all, and the time was probably messed up.

They knew Marx was watching them this whole time ever since they got here, and they had always been unsuccessful in trying to get to that damn vortex from within the Mysterious Dimension as they tried to avoid Marx's traps. They know there is no way out, and they know their alliance with these Smashers could break them out of the Mysterious Dimension.

The enigmatic being arrived at the colosseum, planting their feet on the solid ground and hiding behind the pillars at the entrance, watching the group walk through before the stranger themselves climbed their way up to the empty seats in the colosseum. The fighters walked onto the empty arena, the dirt underneath their feet flowing behind them in clouds of dust. The Smashers could hear some sort of monstrous beast clawing at iron bars. The creature was several feet right in front of the fighters, with claws multiple times the size of an average lion's exposed in the faint light. Once they heard the maniacal laughter of Marx, they looked up to see the winged jester sitting in the nosebleed where emperors and empresses of Ancient Roman culture took their places. In his talons was a small remote with a big red button, and he lounged on the dusty ivory throne with his golden wings spread open.

“Hiya, folks!” Marx chuckled, poking his head out from the nosebleed.

“Quit bothering us and let us finish your game, Marx!” Sherry called out. “We’ve had enough of your shenanigans!”

“Ah, cocky as usual,” Marx laughed, pulling out some sort of toy. The toy itself consisted of two flat cardboard hands laid on top of one another - one giving a thumbs up while the other had a thumbs down - and they were both attached to one of the ends of a stick so they acted like a windmill.

“Did you know that when the Roman emperor gave a thumbs down when blood wasn't spilled in a fight, the gladiator that didn't kill was often put to death?” Marx continued, snapping his talons. “This is what's gonna happen if you don't pick the right answer for this question.” Once those talons of his snapped, four teams of Supporters spawned onto the stage.

“Which of these Spirits is Chrom's younger sister?” Marx asked. “I’m gonna make things a little different for you here: if you manage to take down the right Supporter, I suppose I can let you advance to a much easier question. If not, then I'll have no choice but to give out a thumbs down. Once that happens, you can say hi to Eurydice's fiery stomach for me…” The jester traced one of his talons around the big red button, getting ready to push it.

One of the Supporter teams had an orange-clothed Isabelle, a gray-haired blue-clothed Robin, and a dark gray-clothed Chrom, all three under control of the Lissa Spirit. Elincia was the one possessing a red-dressed Palutena Supporter, a pink-clothed Isabelle was under control of Elise, and Mist took a white-and-golden Zelda and an Ike puppet with a golden cape and headband.

“Better move your butts fast!” Marx spoke in a singsong voice, spinning his little windmill toy and tracing circles around the red button.

“What do we do!?” Corrin spoke among his friends. “I know Elise is MY sister, but I don't know anything about Chrom's family!”

“Does it look like WE know?” Samus responded in the form of a question. “Any one of these Supporters could very well be Chrom's sister and we’d still die.”

“So, what do we do now?” Isabelle asked.

“If only Sonic was here with us…” Lucas trembled, sweat rolling down his forehead as he heard the continuous snarling of the beast locked up. “He would know what to do. He knew about literally everything in the multiverse, and he had encyclopedic knowledge of all our memories.” Marx's face lit up with interest as he heard Lucas talk about Sonic the Hedgehog. From those words, the demonic jester gave out a small smile on his face, which blended well with his now-slit eyes.

Literally everything in the multiverse, huh? Marx thought as he didn't think about the spinning windmill toy in his talons or the big red button in his grasp. If he knows the secrets of the She-wolf or even her extended family, then... heeheehee… imagine how fun it would be if those pathetic dweebs learned about her legacy from that blue rodent. However, before the fighters could decide on an answer, Marx's talon accidentally slipped, causing him to press the button much to his surprise. The Smashers watched as the cage slowly opened, and three pairs of eyes flashed a pale yellow from within the darkness of the beast's cell.

“Marx, are you kidding us right now!?” Lucario asked. “We didn't even get the chance!” Marx instantly snapped out of his train of thought and clasped over his windmill toy, preventing it from spinning. His talons glowed a faint red as the toy caught on flames.

“Okay, new change of plans,” Marx spoke, burning his toy into ashes. “If you take down the correct Supporter team AND Eurydice, you advance to the next question. Meanwhile, I get to sit and watch while my girl tears you apart!” The seven Supporters ran towards the beast trapped within the cage: The Chimera. This beast was more reptilian than mammary - a quadrupedal beast with draconic wings and slightly scaly features on her three heads. The lion head with a bulldog-like face in the front had an oily, thin mane with its pointed wolf ears sticking out, the beast's fore legs resembling that of a bear. The goat head protruding from the middle of the spiked spine had a neck long enough so that it was leaning over the lion's head, bearing boar tusks and gills. Behind the horse-like back legs was a tail with a serpent's head at the end, flashing with eight eyes on its forehead.

“That's your pet!?” King Dedede asked, being one of the few fighters, by which I mean all of them, that were terrified by this fearsome creature. The Supporters climbed onto the Chimera's back, with the orange Isabelle Supporter tugging on the lion head's mane. The three heads of Eurydice roared with a mighty rage and flaming mouths, and she charged straight for the group of Smashers. Hiding in the participants row of the colosseum was the mysterious survivor, watching the disarray going on in the battle arena. As the being from the seats leaped into the air, the Smashers took a quick glance at the newcomer supposedly joining to their aid.

The new fighter sported some sort of sword that extended like a whip, slashing at the Chimera's mane before becoming erect. The person in general had bluish-green hair almost like Marth's, but his armor was completely different. For one, he had some sort of medieval suit as though he came from an academy. He quickly pulled out a divine arrow and kept holding his aim in place until it was fully charged, and he fired straight at the monster. Once the Supporters jumped off Eurydice's back and charged towards the newcomer, he pulled out some sort of axe with strange markings and slashed them all at once.

The stranger landed in front of the monster, pulling out what the fighters could assume was a partisan. The Chimera roared before charging straight for the newcomer, but the blue-haired stranger jumped right on the creature's back. The snake head with the eight eyes spat out a long frog tongue with a scorpion stinger at the end, trying to rapidly jab at the professor. Luckily, the stranger stepped on the scorpion stinger and cut it off with his whip-like sword, causing the snake head of Eurydice to squirm in panic.

The stranger quickly jumped off, whipping his sword at the Chimera and making the creature back away. Marx watched in surprise as the stranger singlehandedly whipped at Eurydice, forcing her back into the open cage.

“Back!” the stranger snapped. “Back, you foul creature!” Eurydice roared again before the mysterious weapon lashed at her mane, forcing her back into the cage. The professor reached for the lever and shut the gate to the creature’s cell the split-second Eurydice pounced right for him. Out of all the Supporters, only the orange-coated Isabelle clone teamed up with the Robin and Chrom puppets survived the initial hit. Pulling out that divine bow again, the professor charged up his shot before unleashing it, supposedly killing all three of them as they dissolved into Shadow Bugs and the Spirits floated away.

Once the cloud of sand from the battle cleared up, the stranger looked at the fighters in confusion.

“And what are you all looking at?” the stranger asked.

“Uh… we could have defeated that monster on our own, but thanks for the extra help,” Samus responded.

“And just who are you, exactly?” Isabelle asked.

“Byleth, professor of Garreg Mach Monastery and wielder of the Sword of the Creator,” the stranger answered, showing the whip-like sword he used on the beast to drive her back to her cage. “I take it you guys haven't been here before?”

“Nope,” King Dedede answered. “We don't know a dang thing 'bout this 'Sterious Dimension. Perhaps you can give us an insight… unless you're some sort of demon workin' for Dharkon…”

“Why would I be?” Byleth asked with little emotion in his attitude. “I’m trapped here just like the rest of you guys. I'm looking for a way out and reunite with the rest of my pals. Three of us split up from us five years ago. Two of our group entered the other main realms…”

“Woah woah woah,” Sherry interrupted. “Three other guys just like you? Two friends of yours who went to other sub-areas of Draxia?... You wouldn't happen to be another survivor, would you?” The other fighters looked with surprise as the professor nodded.

“If you've really been here longer than us as Marx claims, then you might know how we can solve the rest of the quizzes,” Rosalina responded.

“Yes and no,” Byleth answered. “I can still help out and be a valuable member to the team, even if my emotions seem to be lacking. There are multiple quizzes I have managed to solve, but I depend on you to work with me as much as you depend on me to work with you.” The Smashers looked at each other in confusion, wondering how this young professor could possibly be a member of their team.

“Another swordsman?” Bowser asked. “They were cool at first, but now they're getting annoying.”

“Patience, Bowser,” Rosalina objected as she held tight to her Luma. “Byleth did say he knows just about everything of this place, and we're in luck. He's one of the survivors of Galeem's attack. We can work together and find a way out of here as long as we see he's a cooperative teammate.”

“Is he, though?” Lucario asked.

“Only one way to find out,” King Dedede answered. “I’m not here to lollygag all day, not with that jester creep Marx watching us 24/7.” The fighters looked back at Byleth, confused at how he even managed to appear right at the last minute.

“I’ll lead the way,” Samus responded, holding Pichu in her arms as she walked out of the colosseum. Wolf and Corrin followed after her, with the rest of the fighters trailing behind. Byleth was just about to join them too before he heard the sound of a rubber ball bouncing on the sand. As the fighters kept walking without looking back, Byleth looked to his right to see a white ball decorated with blue and red stripes. The professor turned around to see a wingless Marx staring at him with anger in his starry violet eyes.

“You!” Marx snapped. “You can't even imagine what you just cost me! I had this whole situation under control, and you had to rush in and save the day!”

“Those travelers were going to die anyway,” Byleth responded as the small jester walked towards him. “I had to do something instead of standing and watching. You're not the one to judge what I can or cannot do.” Marx simply chuckled with a Cheshire smile, shaking his armless head.

“Look, kid,” Marx responded, unfolding his wings and levitating towards Byleth. “On the outside, I may be a cute, lovable creature that I'm sure you can make plush toys out of. But deep down, I've got a tangled web of complications you don't wanna get caught in. Besides, only you and I know what you're truly after.” A small flash glimmered in Marx's talons, revealing the headset/heart pacemaker hybrid device all those years ago. It was the exact same gadget found in the Olympius, back when the Subspace Army attacked again.

“Stole it from the Legacy once the warriors left to fight Tabuu,” Marx spoke, toying with the device in his hands. “Shame they couldn't drag along such a… priceless artifact. This thing may be small, but what it can do outside of recover a trophy's memories is what Tabuu managed to accomplish: omniversal teleportation. With the right machinery, this little thing could kickstart a traveling network of countless universes, each with their own rules and limitations, growing the more you progress keeping the balance between each universe. I know you. You may be an emotionless basket case, but you are curious as to what's out there beyond the stars. Where the multiverse needs your help.” Byleth reached for the device dangling from Marx's talons, but the jester quickly pulled away.

“You ain't getting this thing, not as long as I'm around,” Marx finished. The professor looked at Marx with a stern face, still keeping his eyes on that valuable object.

“Byleth!” Wolf called out. “Are you coming or are you staying? We don't have much time!” The professor of Garreg Mach Monastery refocused his attention towards Group C, running out of the colosseum and leaving Marx alone. The fighters then approached another path of light recently created, and they slid down on it towards the next location in the Mysterious Dimension. In a pissed-off expression, Marx teleported into Eurydice's cage.

“That ungrateful little worm!” Marx growled, pacing the sandy floor while waving his golden wings rapidly. “He thinks he can just show up and do what he wants all because he's a one-dimensional bishounen boy who's not as different as the others! I mean: what does he REALLY know about me!?” The Chimera looked at Marx with soft growls, making the jester feel a little unsafe.

“And what are you looking at?” Marx asked the three-headed creature. “It’s not like this is all my fault!” Eurydice growled again at that remark.

“Okay… it's entirely my fault,” Marx continued. “But that was because I lost my train of thought for a split second. But hey: who can blame me?” The Chimera simply stood up, approaching a frightened cosmic jester. In a quick act of confidence, Marx quickly floated up to the three heads, stroking her oily coat on each one as he sang a song.

My darling dear, your Marx-y's here

My love protects you there's no need to fear

I'm so sorry it all went wrong

Let me sing you a little song

Marx landed on the soft sand, walking over to a bucket of apples as he told the beast the origins of his current appearance while continuing in song form. The jester took one of the apples and tossed it to the Chimera. Her three heads were already snapping each other over who wants the apple, unaware that it ends up the same place.

I took the stars, I took this form

The Star Warrior prepared a mighty storm

And my efforts were brought down low

Tears of joy turned to tears of woe

 

But worry not! This jester has a plan

I will return and will take back the land

Strength in numbers they have on staff

But I will have the final laugh

Marx teleported out of the colosseum, watching as the fighters landed on a broken sidewalk and followed Byleth. Before they took another step, they were suddenly stopped by a powerful blue flame. Byleth, being the first one to notice, quickly jumped out of the way and pulled out the Sword of the Creator. The Ike Primary stood in their way, possessed by the Spirit of the Black Knight and ready to fight. The Mii Gunner fired the first shot, dodging the swings of the captured fighter's sword and letting Corrin attack.

They'll listen close to what he has to say

They will fight and they will win the day

If I'm patient, they'll carry on

And their sanity will soon be gone

It wasn't long before R.O.B. knocked the Ike Primary off the floating cobblestone sidewalk, instantly breaking the Dharkon Lock. The red mist carried Ike's body back to the fighters before floating away, to which Marx played with the mist for a while.

I must be smart, I must be wise

I must be quick if I’m to claim the prize

Their dear dragon has just begun

To be worshipped by everyone

 

The survivors and all their friends

Must be dealt with before the story ends

Careful planning is what I need

This is what Marx has just decreed

The fighters managed to wake Ike up and strayed from the path to the vortex, following Byleth as he surfed a path of light towards an uprooted tree. Marx could hear the voices of the Spirits below his feet, singing along with his tune.

We, the hive mind! We, the swarm, have faith in Grendel's son

He inspires us and teaches us and hides us from the sun

If only Dharkon knew his love he wouldn't see a bad guy

For it’s his love that keeps us safe beneath his all-seeing eye!

As the floating Spirits sang that verse, Marx watched as Byleth pointed out the quiz on the tree had multiple answers. Two teams of red Kirby Supporters appeared on different branches, one possessed by the Waddle Doo Spirit and the other possessed by the Whispy Woods Spirit. A third team of red Kirby puppets appeared at the top of the tree, led by a yellow Kirby Supporter as symbolism of the Scarfy Spirit possessing them. An Ice Climbers Supporter in blue clothing was possessed by a Mr. Frosty, and a purple Ridley Supporter controlled by the Bugzzy Spirit appeared on yet another branch. Byleth told the fighters that the quiz was of which enemies Kirby is unable to inhale, and the correct answers were Whispy Woods and Scarfy. The professor teamed up with Wolf and Bowser and approached the Supporter team with Whispy Woods, while Isabelle walked up towards the Kirby team with the yellow puppet.

The other fighters waited behind as each of their friends were teleported to another location: both of the stages being different variations of Dream Land. The Spirits of the Mysterious Dimension singing as the chorus to Marx's lament as he watched the chaos unfold in two different stages.

I can hear your song

It makes me proud to know I’m far more strong

I'll stretch my wings and prepare for flight

I'll bare my teeth and prepare to bite

Byleth, Wolf, and Bowser had made quick work on the windy stage of the Whispy Woods, creating another pathway of light leading up to a tree with orange leaves.

They'll rise and sing and call my name

The Dragon Planet will never be the same

They must act now, the time is soon

So they can take down both the sun and moon

Byleth and his small team instantly confronted the Mewtwo Primary, who was possessed by Infinite, after the captured fighter launched his Shadow Ball move the second he spotted them. Wolf O' Donnell quickly reflected the Shadow Ball back at the Mewtwo Primary and quickly pounced at the captured fighter. The Mewtwo Primary kicked the Star Wolf mercenary off before charging straight for Bowser.

And then I'll feast at any time of day

And I will rule in every single way

No more hiding, I will be free

When the fighters look up to see

With cooperative teamwork, Byleth dealt the final blow towards the Mewtwo Primary, breaking the Dharkon Lock and reawakening the legendary Pokémon. Marx watched as Isabelle successfully managed to defeat the Scarfy Spirit team through no effort at all, creating another path of light towards a broken-down sidewalk decorated with bent lantern posts.

A great rainbow across the multiverse

A fanged jester with a powerful curse

Food aplenty for all my kin

Amongst the others, only I shall win!

This time, Ike, Mewtwo, and King Dedede all followed Byleth as he slid down the path towards the location. It was also the location for another trivia: who teamed up with Alucard to take down Dracula. The options were: Trevor C. Belmont in a team consisting of a blue Simon, a blue Palutena, and a red Sheik, Gabriel Belmont controlling a red Simon, a gray Lucas possessed by Kid Dracula, and a green-clothed Richter reminiscent of Nathan Graves.

Byleth, without letting the other three fighters decide, charged straight for the blue Simon Supporter. King Dedede, Ike, and Bowser followed Byleth in the second he was sucked into the stage referencing Dracula's Castle. Once they arrived, the Spirit chorus overshadowed Marx’s singing.

We, the puppets, will take whatever lands in our grasp

“Sing, my servants! Sing!” Marx cackled as he watched Byleth pull out his lance, the Areadbhar, and thrust it right at the blue Palutena Supporter. The puppet fighter began unleashing Explosive Flame, but Mewtwo quickly used Confusion and reflected the projectile right back at the puppet.

We don't care what price we must pay

The red Sheik Supporter spawned in and charged in at Ike. The Beorc slashed his Ragnell at the puppet, and King Dedede launched his Gordo at her. The Palutena Supporter jumped in front and reflected the Gordo back at the King of Dreamland, but he quickly inhaled the projectile and spat it out much to her surprise. The Palutena Supporter was knocked out as a result. The Sheik puppet was quickly knocked out by a forward smash from Ike a few seconds after.

And in any kind of weather, we all have to stick together

While Mewtwo was attacking the Sheik Supporter, Byleth spotted the blue Simon Supporter spawn in with Alucard himself. The Assist Trophy quickly turned into a bat, charging straight for the young professor. Byleth quickly pulled out his axe, the Aymr, and unleashed a powerful hit upon the Assist Trophy before he could hit the other three fighters, instantly knocking out Alucard.

The Simon puppet quickly jumped in, spamming axes, crosses, and holy water in his wake. As Mewtwo and King Dedede were reflecting the projectiles back with their special abilities, building up damage as a result, Byleth quickly pulled out his Sword of the Creator and flicked his wrist, letting the weapon tether around the Simon Supporter's leg. The professor quickly jumped up and kicked the puppet fighter downward. Since the puppet couldn't tech off the ground, he was instead launched up to the blast zone, earning victory for the four fighters.

And we don't want it any other way

We'll be free!

Upon defeating the Trevor C. Belmont team, another path of light was unlocked. Byleth and his group surfed down the path, landing in a wrecked pirate ship entangled in vines. Who should be waiting for them but the King K. Rool Primary himself, controlled by the evil witch Gruntilda. Once the captured fighter began attacking the fighters with his Crownarang and Blunderbuss, King Dedede managed to avoid the slow but powerful projectiles before hitting the Kremling King in the back with his mallet. As Marx watched the ambush taking place, he continued to sing his little song.

Yes, I do so love my mood

The fight continued on the ship, creating chaos not even Marx could imagine. Eventually, the four Smashers overwhelmed the King K. Rool Primary and knocked him off the ship, with Byleth swinging the Aymr downward in midair. The red mist of the Dharkon Lock carried King K. Rool's body back onto the shipwreck.

It's my heart that feeds this brood

Once the fighters reunited back on the tree with the reawakened warriors, they were ready to continue on the main path to the vortex. Meanwhile, Marx watched as the fighters were progressing without his help, and it wouldn't be long before they find out his secrets.

I won’t let harm come to what is mine!

The jester looked back on the few remaining Supporters he had left, unable to count those that weren't the correct answers. However, he wouldn't give up on the game he was playing with the group, determination crawling through his soft body.

Places now! You must take care

You must be ready and you can't fight fair

With the quizzes of countless kings

Gather all your most precious things

 

And follow me as I take flight

They can't stop now because the time is right

Raise your voices and fill the air

A hidden monster, I'm everywhere!

Once the fighters continued on the main cobblestone path, they were stopped by the Meta Knight Primary. This enigmatic swordsman was possessed by Galacta Knight, the original form of Morpho Knight, and he wasted no time attacking the fighters with his speed and fast wits translated through his sword.

Corrin quickly got in front of the fighters, his Yato Blade clashing with the captured fighter’s sword. Once the other Smashers started to gain up on the Meta Knight Primary, the Mii Gunner spotted a little path of light straying not too far from the vortex. She slid down to a small battlefield of light, to where she saw the Luigi Primary waiting for her. The lonely captured fighter was controlled by Waluigi, and he was waiting for Sherry to unleash the first attack.

The ex-Ultimate Reborn began spamming her projectiles, jumping back and forth while trying to dodge the Luigi Primary's upgraded Poltergust weapon and cyclone move.

Arcus's time is coming to an end

The age of the jester will begin again

I will conquer and I will rule

And the Smashers will be my fools

Without any help whatsoever, Sherry built up plenty of damage on the Luigi Primary and knocked him out the small battlefield. The Dharkon Lock shattered, freeing the captured fighter and reawakening him. The Mii Gunner then helped a confused Luigi stand up as she carried him back to the group, much to their surprise.

The fighters were almost at the vortex, but they had to answer one more quiz: which enemy is part of Bowser's army. A black Peach Supporter stood in place for a Pidgit, and the Lakitu and Spiny Spirit took control of Iggy Koopa and his team of tiny red Bowser Supporters. Because Bowser knew his history in the Mushroom Kingdom, he approached the Iggy puppet.

Marx watched as in an 8bit version of the Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser was knocking out every single puppet with no problem whatsoever with his meaty smash attacks and heavy armor.

They all will bow to my grand masquerade

And they won't doubt the face that's on parade

I'll make them haste so they can proceed

This is what Marx has just decreed!

While all the remaining Spirits of the Mysterious Dimension flew towards the vortex upon Bowser's victory, Marx danced around the vortex as he laughed in his childish tone.

“Yes, my puppets,” Marx spoke, watching as all the remaining Supporters (both those that were not interacted with and new puppets) took their places. “You shall make me prevail. The time for my grand entrance is nigh. Go, my precious nightmares. The bittersweet fruit of freedom for everyone!” The jester dived straight into the center, popping up in a new location. The place Marx ended up had an endless landscape of colorless, jagged mountains and hills. The stone ground looked like flowing lava had cooled down into obsidian, and the sky was filled with stars and galaxies as far as the eye could see.

Marx cackled as the talons on his golden wings began to glow, erecting a stone throne for him to lounge on.

“Ah… it's so good to be the boss of a sub-realm,” Marx sighed, knowing the group will make it through his last pop quiz.





Author's Notes #1 (About the Dragon Arc):

I know this is rather unusual to be writing here, but please keep in mind that there may be a few chapters with musical numbers. What I'm saying is take this story with a grain of salt considering there may be people who disagree with my opinion.

All the songs I will be using in this story belong to their respectful owners. I have no affiliations or threats to the original works. This is for entertainment purposes only. Hope that will clear things up for you readers.

Original song used: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXT-Y3w523A

The main reason why I picked this song for Marx is because I wanted to convey more of his twisted personality while the creatures and puppets he's trapped with see him as a guardian from Dharkon's clutches. Some of the original lyrics had been changed to better suit his cunning and deceitful mind filled with plans that no one should get in his way for. He only sees the monsters in the Mysterious Dimension as broken toys, but he needs them to stop the fighters at any cost.

Chapter 83: Within The Vortex

Summary:

As our heroes stumble upon the vortex, they slowly start to learn about the truth of their current enemy. All they know is that he has big plans coming and he needs no one to get in his way.

Chapter Text

The group stood on the edge of the vortex, watching the violet colors spiral around with the Spirits that were the incorrect answers for all the quizzes so far, with some new faces.

"I suppose you're welcome for the effort I put into your mission to defeat the darkness," Byleth spoke. "What do you think? Do you think I did a good job helping you get back to your friends?" Samus, Bowser, Pichu, Lucas, King Dedede, Lucario, Isabelle, and Piranha Plant looked behind themselves to see the teammates they have rescued so far: Rosalina & Luma, R.O.B., Greninja, Wolf, Corrin, Ike, Mewtwo, King K. Rool, Meta Knight, and Luigi.

"Now then… this is the only quiz I have trouble with," Byleth continued. "Marx said this last test determines your luck, meaning that whatever you get by chance you HAVE to fight. No second thoughts. If you lose, then I guess you're just sucked into some horrible dimension or dangerous trap."

"So… what's the question?" Mewtwo telepathized.

"Who was responsible for driving the Ancients to extinction during the First Subspace War?" the professor answered. "But I don't know what is this 'Subspace Army,' or even which kind of Ancients. It just leaves me with more questions than it does answers…" The teammates exchanged looks, knowing of what happened.

"Pick Ganondorf," Samus answered. "The one who dons the appearance of when Hyrule and the Twilight Realm collided." Byleth looked at her, confused by what she meant.

"How would I know about this… Ganondorf person?" Byleth asked. The bounty hunter looked at the swirling vortex, watching as the Supporters danced around the powerful force. There, she saw her target. A grey Ganondorf puppet, controlled by an alternate version of Ganondorf… one of which looked exactly like the real Ganondorf twenty years before he changed his look to a more nostalgic version.

"Watch and learn, anime boy," Samus told Byleth, instantly jumping off the light path and landing in the vortex. The bounty hunter began to wobble and float around like crazy, almost like she was in a giant rubber hamster ball caught in a whirlpool.

"Wait!" Byleth called out, getting nervous as Meta Knight and Lucario jumped into the vortex. "If you're certain that… Ganondorf clone is the right choice, make sure NOT to touch any other puppets!" Mewtwo accidentally bumped into Byleth as he jumped in, knocking the professor into the vortex. Byleth was shocked by the fact that every single one of the fighters just jumped in without any second thoughts.

Soon, everyone was being tossed and turned within the vortex, trying to avoid touching as many Supporters as possible. Samus almost reached her target before Luigi rammed into her at high speed, knocking her off-course.

"Watch where you're going, asshole!" Samus snapped.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Luigi apologized, watching as R.O.B. spotted the gray-clothed Ganondorf Supporter as well. Knowing that the Ganondorf banished to the Twilight Realm was the right answer, the ex-Ancient Minister used the boosters below his tiny wheels and blasted himself to his goal. As soon as R.O.B. was starting to run out of fuel, the robot extended one of his arms and successfully managed to tap the Ganondorf Supporter on the shoulder right before a Pichu Supporter was about to hit him.

With a bright flash, R.O.B. and the gray Ganondorf Supporter were nowhere to be seen, and everyone was frozen in place whether they were fighters or puppets.


The ex-Ancient Minister was suddenly transported onto the roof of Hyrule Castle, getting ready to face an alternate version of Ganondorf from another timeline possessing the clone of THEIR Ganondorf. Even after twenty years, R.O.B. was still afraid to confront the Gerudo King after what he did to his people, and this was evident as he was trying to space himself out using his eye lasers and gyros.

The Ganondorf Supporter had boosted attack power and increased speed, meaning it was hard for R.O.B. to dodge the puppet's attacks. The robot tried stringing up neutral airs into each other, but the Ganondorf Supporter was just too powerful considering he was always hit out of them. The more R.O.B. tried dodging the puppet, the more he began to remember something.

They were repressed memories from long ago. They may have been glimpses, but they were slowly starting to return to him. He began to remember ruling his kingdom in a glorious, utopian society. His island was a fruitful and earthly paradise. As the Ganondorf Supporter held him to the ground with darkness-covered hands, draining away the robot's health, the images of how R.O.B. founded his people came to be.

R.O.B. remembered finding an ancient gap permanently frozen in stone. Sculptures reminiscent of fire and ice geysers stuck to the sides, fading away into dust just like the abandoned town on its edges. The robot was fascinated by the technology they had, most of which was preserved in the halls of the larger buildings. The remaining weapons of Raifujin left behind by the Shadow Bugs were sitting there, collecting dust.

The robot began to remember in flashes of carefully analyzing the technology before building machines on a lonely island to replicate these weapons and create new ones. It wasn't long before he created more robots of his exact type, and they quickly created a floating city out of the island they were on. However, every gift must come with a price.

A battered and bruised R.O.B. was kicked in front of the grey Ganondorf Supporter, and he began to drag the heavy sword along as he walked closer to the robot. At the same time, R.O.B. could see glimpses of the past. He could see the Subspace Army creatures spread across the island, turning the technology of the Ancients against their creators. Despite everything R.O.B. had ever done to protect his civilization, all the technology he possessed fell under control of the Shadow Bugs. He remembered the Master Hand bringing him the message from Tabuu… that his home has been reduced to a factory after what he had discovered.

A gateway into Subspace… and the truth of other worlds.

And all he remembered of Ganondorf, the main general of the Subspace Army, was what he did to everything he ever worked for.

Everything he loved.

Everything he cared.

Even robots can cry.

R.O.B.'s eyes gleamed with a faint red glow of determination the second the grey Ganondorf Supporter was about to swing his weapon. The ex-Ancient Minister could feel a new power growing within him as he stood up, watching the huge sword swing in front of his face the split second he put up his shield. With the right timing, R.O.B. parried the attack.

Much to the Ganondorf Supporter's surprise, a rainbow aura suddenly flashed around R.O.B. as golden eyes pierced into his soul. The gray robot quickly transformed into a laser cannon, unleashing his true power as soon as the puppet fighter was knocked forward. He began firing an array of lasers before unleashing a powerful beam. The beam quickly grew in size, maximizing all damage in this special move. All that R.O.B. could hear was the cry of the Ganondorf Supporter's defeat.


The vortex and everyone caught in it remained frozen for a while, wondering if R.O.B. even made it. None of them could move from their spots, clearly stuck.

"So… if the little robot guy survives, I just wanna say we did it," Samus spoke. "Everything we have ever been through has led up to this point. And it was nice knowing all of you."

"I guess," Ike responded. "I'm just glad we got to experience this wild ride." A few seconds later, R.O.B. reappeared in the vortex in a bright flash, with the Twilight Realm Ganondorf Spirit with the yellow transparency and rainbow aura floating into the center of the vortex. Everything remained silent in the Mysterious Dimension for a while, with everyone staying in place.

"Did it work?" Lucas asked. Just then, the vortex began to move, spinning faster and sucking all the Supporters of the Mysterious Dimension in. The fighters were shocked by what was happening, and they were drawn in by the strong force right down to the center. They were certain that this alternate version of Ganondorf was the correct answer for the question provided, and they were confident wherever the vortex would open it would take them there.

But there was only one way to find out.


The Piranha Plant was the first to wake up in this strange realm. The sky was whole, displaying stars far and wide. The carnivorous flower balanced himself on his flower pot, noticing a tiny crack underneath. He walked over to Byleth, licking his face and waking the young professor up. Byleth stood in place and looked around in front of him, watching as the other fighters within the group saw where they were.

The hard ground looked like molten lava had just cooled down, complete with markings and jagged edges. Despite there being no plants or atmosphere, the air and gravity were completely normal. Marx was standing right behind them, not sporting any wings whatsoever.

"Well, you did it," Marx spoke to the Smashers as they didn't turn around to face the jester. "You had bested all my tests fair and square. And you know what? You actually cooperated for once. Before we begin with our little playtime, let me ask you a question. Do you think that even the worst beings in the multiverse can change? That creatures like Galeem and Dharkon can make a difference, if they just try to fight back against the insanity controlling them? Heh heh… don't bother answering that question. Besides, do you know what is the driving force of this world? The strength to persist before, during, and after death? The will to keep living? The resolve to change fate? Determination." The fighters turned around to face Marx, wondering what he meant by those words.

"It gives them the ability to save.I don't really know what they can save, but I know they just can. I've lived here long enough to know there was a reason why most of you were called here by the Hands of Arcadia. It's because the bodies you possess aren't real. Your real bodies are gone. Reduced to dust. The Master Hand and Crazy Hand have seen your determination power the stars within your souls and have chosen you. They have given you THEIR determination to bring you back. But what do I know? I'm just Dharkon's adorable little jester who's just wasting your time with stupid nonsense that I made up. So, let's get started… on the real game!"

Marx ascended into the air, letting a black mist consume him as he transformed back into his true form. His eyes gleamed for a quick second before the mist cleared, and the small jester laughed maniacally. The fighters readied their weapons, preparing for a fight with the boss of the Mysterious Dimension.

Marx began to float around and teleport when each Smasher got close, giggling as the heavier fighters like King Dedede and King K. Rool tried to reach him in the air but could not due to their slow mobility. Pichu latched onto him, headbutting him with electrical damage.

"Ah, you are all clearly idiots," Marx sighed as he spread his wings and unleashing four circle blades from his body, knocking Pichu into Piranha Plant. Wolf got underneath two of them and reflected the projectiles back at the jester, while Lucas and Rosalina absorbed the other two. Marx soared up into the air, spitting out an icy ball onto the ground. Isabelle quickly pocketed the projectile, tossing it back at Marx the second he teleported again even though he wasn't frozen by it. Byleth whipped the Sword of the Creator around Marx's foot, dragging him down so that Bowser, Mewtwo, and Greninja could pummel him.

"Oh no… you guys are hurting me," Marx spoke with sarcasm as Lucas's PK Fire was burning him. "Whatever will I do- How about this!? BOOM!" The jester fired a powerful laser from his mouth, hitting Meta Knight and Samus. Marx teleported again, warping to and fro as Lucario, Ike, and Corrin tried using aerial attacks.

"If you wanna find out what goes on in my head... why don't I take ya there!?" Marx asked before splitting his body in half, generating a powerful black hole. Most of the fighters were being drawn in, and those like Meta Knight and Mewtwo flew in and carried their friends away from the black hole before it vanished.

"You guys clearly don't know I'm the shadow lurking underneath," Marx's voice echoed. A large shadow appeared underneath Luigi, much to his surprise.

"Luigi, get out of the way!" King Dedede shouted. The green plumber was knocked back as soon as Marx unleashed a powerful uppercut from the ground, laughing as he did so. The jester began teleporting around again, dodging certain attacks like Byleth's Areadbhar and King K. Rool's Blunderbuss before flying high into the air.

"You know… this place could really use some decoration!" Marx shouted, dropping a shower of seeds onto the fighters. They began avoiding the rain, watching where they stepped as thorny vines sprung up from the ground. Marx's shadowy form appeared on the ground again, this time under Byleth's feet. The professor quickly dodged out of the way, pulling out the Failnaught and charging up his shot in midair. With a powerful projectile, Byleth ripped Marx's eyes straight out of his sockets, leaving the jester to cover his face with his talons.

"Ah! My eyes! Don't you have any idea how long it takes to regenerate them!?" Marx shouted, starting to cry out shadow balls that bounced around in an irregular manner. As soon as Marx uncovered his face, he terrified Luigi and Lucas with two gaping-black holes of where the most expressive parts of the face should be. Marx began blindly teleporting back and forth, unable to attack the fighters because he couldn't see temporarily. This resulted in the fighters successfully landing attacks on the jester at the price of him crying out shadow balls. As soon as Marx's eyes grew back, he looked at the team of fighters with flames of rage in his star-filled violet eyes.

"You stop it this instant, you horrible, cheating mortals!" Marx snapped, grabbing ahold of his own wings and ripping them off with his teeth. In their place, fiery branches of veins sprung out from his back.

"Well, this is new," King Dedede noted, surprised that Marx has learned a few new tricks within the Mysterious Dimension that go along well with his insanity. The jester's veins began slithering around the fighters, trying to stab right at them before Ike and Corrin began cutting off the bronchioles closest to them. Upon the pain, Marx retracted those appendages and snapped the dislodged wings back onto his body.

"You can't escape me! I am the master of this game!" Marx growled, teleporting right behind the fighters. "I… see… EVERYTHING!" The jester's eyes began to multiply, filling up his sockets like compound eyes before spreading around his small body. Soon enough, Marx transformed into a ball of blinking, starry eyeballs of violet that stared right into each of the group's souls. Every eye began to glow, getting ready to fire multiple lasers across his body.

"Everybody, take cover!" Meta Knight warned, trying to dodge the lasers shooting out from Marx's multiple eyes while laughter accompanied the jester's malice. Each fighter hid behind the jagged rocks, with Byleth charging straight in for Marx. The jester had 360° vision and basically spotted the professor running in towards him, and he aimed all his lasers right at Byleth. Before Byleth was struck, Greninja approached Marx from behind and slashed straight at the jester.

Marx's eyes vanished and returned to normal, and he was screaming in agony as he began bouncing around the realm like a super-rubber ball on coffee. The other fighters watched as the defeated jester began to shed the hexagon scales on his wings, by which they fell off him. Marx landed on the ground in a purple flame, collapsing on the ground in defeat. The hat he wore fell off, exposing two small horns and a wig of messy violet hair that were otherwise hidden. The horns on his head had strange markings, the likes of which were in a strange language that was untranslatable.

"Woo! Finally! We did it!" Byleth cheered, running over to the friends he made. He hugged Rosalina and began twirling around with her in his arms, with the other fighters congratulating in victory.

"We'll be free from this planet forever!" Luigi resounded in relief. However, as everyone was about to relax, they could hear Marx's soft cackles. They turned around to see the violet flames on the cosmic jester were gone, and he was back to his cute form. The jester gave off a little grin as he walked over to one of his wings lying on the ground.

"Congratulations," Marx spoke, picking up the golden appendage and sticking it back onto his body. "You have beaten me at my own game. And you know what else? You finally have access to the Dharkon Void and take down that cowardly Seraph of Chaos, leaving me to get kicked out of his Army of Darkness. I am so impressed."

"That's strange," Lucario spoke in confusion as Marx walked over to his other wing. "Weren't you suppose to… vanish? Like all the other bosses?" The jester laughed at that question, sticking his other wing back on with the one he already reattached to.

"Oh, you have no idea," Marx responded, flapping his golden wings and creating the flashing, multicolored hexagon scales again. He began to ascend into the air via levitation, floating towards the two-tone hat he got back up without.

"Rosalina must've probably told you I'm not like those other bosses," Marx continued as he picked up his hat and dusted it off before placing it on his head, tucking any strands of his violet hair sticking out. "You're clearly a lot stronger than you look, but do you remember what I told you at the beginning of the battle? That you're probably not the real versions of yourselves?" Marx tightened the red bowtie below his face, teleporting to the other fighters.

"What about it?" Rosalina asked, holding on tight to her Luma.

"What I'm trying to say is… there are those that are just as strong as me. And the one that surpasses even my own abilities is… the She-wolf." The Smashers looked at Marx in confusion, wondering what did he mean by this "She-wolf."

"Oh, yes," Marx continued, floating around the group. "I have read only a few passages about her. What she can do to manipulate others to her goals. How she works. She sees how each person ruins themselves, and lies to them about manipulating their past. She doesn't change anything because she doesn't have to. They have already fallen into insanity long ago." Marx's pupils dilated and began to slip, starting to make the fighters uncomfortable as that face went along with those sentences.

"A great day approaches. A time will come when she will regain her power and destroy everything. Light… darkness… order… chaos… peace… freedom… all gone. With strength, wisdom, speed, courage, loyalty, forgiveness, and teamwork, she'll live again. But!... She'll be in for a big surprise once her family comes to play. Everything that you have worked up to this point will change, and the stars that protect you will eventually die. Sooner or later, you'll fall into her trap, and you'll become another one of her mindless soldiers hellbent on corruption and insanity! Until then… I bid you adieu." Marx tipped his hat and bowed at the Smashers, slipping his hat back on. A white vortex spawned behind him, causing the cosmic jester to vanish from the fighters. Byleth noticed the device he was trying to get from Marx, which was just lying on the ground. He quickly ran over to it and picked it up before anyone noticed.

"Sírveme de defensa, Dios mío," Meta Knight told his companions. "If what Marx said is true, then we must all be in grave danger."

"I've lived here for quite a while," Byleth responded in doubt. "Whatever Marx says is all a lie. Trust me." Just then, the ground began to rumble underneath the fighters, and the sky began to crack open. The land of the Mysterious Dimension appeared behind the starry sky, and a path of light leading straight back to the entrance portal appeared.

"We need to leave! Now!" Samus told her companions, grabbing ahold of Pichu and running on the light path. Luigi, Ike, Corrin, and Wolf followed behind her, and just about every fighter in the group followed behind. The realm where they fought Marx was being sucked into the vortex, drawing everything that radiated chaotic energy into itself.

Byleth and his companions began jumping from one light path to the other, trying to avoid the trees and buildings flying towards them in their direction. It was a struggle of anxiety, with each of the Smashers often splitting up from each other only for their paths to merge back together again. Luckily, they all managed to make it at the portal and go through, with the Mysterious Dimension collapsing behind them.


Samus, Luigi, Bowser, Pichu, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Ike, Lucas, King Dedede, Lucario, R.O.B., Wolf, Rosalina & Luma, Greninja, Corrin, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Piranha Plant, Byleth, and Mii Gunner all emerged to the other side, watching as the blue portal exploded into a violet blast, with every Spirit trapped within the realm float away in freedom whether they were the incorrect answers or not.

Those that were rescued in the Mysterious Dimension looked at the new world of Draxia in fear. Floating islands, blackened clouds above and below roaring with thunder, webs of vines and roots connecting other islands to itself. Rosalina walked over to the fighters freed from the darkness, trying to comfort them.

"Terrifying, isn't it?" Rosalina asked.

"Mamma mia," Luigi cried. "I just-a hope my brother's okay."

"He is, and so is everyone else," Samus told the green plumber, watching the Spirits in the sky soar towards a large ship, with one part looking exactly like the Undying Light from before. "Let's go. The Dharkon Void is probably open to us by now." The bounty hunter got a head start, and Byleth followed her with the Piranha Plant in his arms and the mysterious headset in his pockets. Soon enough, all the fighters within Group C tagged along, finally heading back to their friends.

Chapter 84: The True Origins of Subspace

Summary:

Upon arriving with Byleth, Group C has also brought along the memories of the Subspace Army's creation, by which Kirby was ready to find out.

Chapter Text

On the humongous ship of the Legacy, Fox McCloud wandered throughout the various locations. It was the size of New York City, stretching several miles across with futuristic buildings and skyscrapers. He was surprised that all the technology the Mii Fighters researched didn't go to waste, only for Galeem to destroy it and for Dharkon to enhance it.

Every nook and cranny of each building was spotless, and the Star Fox mercenary kind of noticed that. The walls looked like every futuristic movie setting in existence: smooth edges complimenting white titanium and soft lights shining on crystal-clear windows that showed the chaotic landscape outside. As he continued walking through the strange halls, he noticed there was the original room Kirby slept in when he first reappeared on this planet. He noticed that Banjo & Kazooie and Terry were drawn on the mural, which was still preserved in stunning detail.

Eventually, Fox found his way to the training room, where he found an enraged Sonic attacking a sandbag. The blue hedgehog was beginning to exhaust himself out, unable to control his powers. He began to use fireballs, icicles, powerful magic blasts, but he couldn't even hit his target. Even the sandbag was looking at Sonic with disappointment. Without even knowing, Sonic punched the sandbag in the face, accidentally sending a barrage of rocks in Fox's way. The Star Fox mercenary quickly dodged every single one of them, noticing how tired Sonic was. The blue hedgehog was starting to get dark circles under his eyes, and his quills were messy instead of straight. From what Fox could tell, Sonic must have been training without any help for who knows how long.

"Oh my God, Fox," Sonic gasped as he saw he almost hit his best friend. "I didn't see you there."

"No… it's fine," Fox responded walking over to the blue hedgehog. "I take it you don't need anyone around. I thought you could do that little trick-"

"I can!" Sonic interrupted, electricity spiraling through his gloves. "I had complete control over them back in Dharkon's version of Hyrule. What's wrong with me!?" The blue hedgehog was about to hit the sandbag, but he instead missed by collapsing and shot the electricity into the air. Fox was about to help the blue hedgehog up, but Sonic simply pushed him away, getting back up on his feet despite showing signs of fatigue.

"I think you should get some rest," Fox told the blue hedgehog. "You're weakening your body if you keep doing that. Why don't I call in Ragnarokk? See what she can do?" Sonic glared at Fox, his scars glowing slightly brighter.

"I don't need rest," Sonic responded. "Can't you see what they did to me? They mutilated my body to the point where I can't control myself anymore. I want to do this on my own and I don't need your help."

"Sure seems like you do," Fox answered. "Remember what I told you on top of the Sheikah Tower? That you'll still be our friend no matter what? And we would do anything to protect you from those who want to harm you?"

"Yeah… but I still don't understand what this 'unique but also the same' trait has to do with anything!" Sonic growled, tears building up in his eyes. "I've been trying to find answers about what I've become or why all this is happening to me, but dammit! I didn't even get time to adjust to my new abilities and I was just left to hang until my powers have become too hard to control! I just wish I could find a way to reset my abilities to zero so I can control them along with my superspeed…" Fox reached his hand behind Sonic's temple, gently rubbing it in place.

"Like I said, you'll be fine," Fox sighed. "A day will come when you can simply… reset your powers and adjust to them properly and utilize them until you become some sort of godlike being. Besides… you're kinda cute when you look angry."

"Stop!" Sonic chuckled with blushing cheeks, pushing away Fox in embarrassment as best as he could.

"I mean it," Fox laughed, tickling the blue hedgehog behind the ears. Their little playtime stopped when they heard a small alarm ring throughout the Legacy.

"Attention, this is your co-pilot speaking," the Flynn Spirit spoke from the speakers. "Looks like your friends made it back to our ship, so… I dunno. Head to the main landing deck or something. We've got several new faces joining our side, including a… swordfighter that clearly looks like he belongs in some shonen-jump anime..."

"I'll take over," Barbara's Spirit spoke. "This is Barbara the Bat. Head over to the main deck. Looks like we'll finally be going after Dharkon." Fox McCloud ran out of the training room, with Sonic following behind him.


Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Falco, Marth, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Pokémon Trainer, Diddy Kong, Sonic, Olimar, Toon Link, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, PAC-MAN, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, Mii Brawler, and Mii Swordfighter were all waiting outside the largest deck they had ever been on, which was at the front of the ship. They watched as Samus, Luigi, Bowser, Pichu, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Ike, Lucas, King Dedede, Lucario, R.O.B., Wolf, Rosalina & Luma, Greninja, Corrin, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Piranha Plant, Byleth, and Mii Gunner were all approaching them from the north.

"Everyone, hold hands," Samus told the group. They all did as she said, and the bounty hunter pressed the gadget on her wrist three times. They were instantly teleported back to the ship, right in front of the fighters waiting for them.

"MK!" Sonic exclaimed with relief, running over to the masked swordsman and hugging him tightly. "I'm so happy to finally meet you again!"

"Nice to see you too, mi amigo," Meta Knight responded, embracing the hug before noticing the scars on Sonic's face. "What exactly… happened to you?"

"It's a long story," Sonic responded.

"Junior!" Bowser cried.

"Papa!" Bowser Jr. exclaimed, piloting his Koopa Clown Car into his father's arms. Both father and son hugged each other tightly.

"I was so worried," Bowser sighed in relief. "What happened?"

"Well, I was controlled by some whiny little brat fueled by the powers of darkness… called himself Kaos?... but my friends saved me!" Bowser Jr. responded. As each of the fighters in the group were welcoming each other, Terry Bogard ran over to Byleth and the Piranha Plant, hugging them.

"Hey, guys!" Terry shouted at Banjo & Kazooie, Joker, and Ireburn. "Byleth's back, and so's the Piranha Plant!" The survivors all ran over to each other, huddling up into a group hug.

"We were afraid that you were gonna get taken by Dharkon!" Kazooie cooed, resting her head on the professor's blue-green hair.

"Welcome back, guys," Joker spoke, breaking apart the group hug. "Well, we're finally together again after five years."

Mario had just finished hugging his younger twin brother Luigi in relief, happy that they were finally together again after so long. The red plumber looked around the deck, noticing how many fighters there were now. However, he noticed some were still missing.

"Roy, Dark Samus, Palutena, and Bayonetta," Mario spoke, catching the attention of the other fighters. "There are four of us still in control of the Locks. Has anyone found them?"

"I don't think any of us have," Peach responded in sorrow. "Wherever they are, we'll be certain to rescue them as quickly as possible."

"Until then, I suppose we'll have to rest," Byleth spoke out. "This adventure took quite a toll on us, and we might wanna get ready for the final battle." The other fighters took their leave, with Kirby standing outside. He watched as the Spirits and the red mist from the Mysterious Dimension gathered above him, diving down to collect in the gemstone inside him. Kirby's eyes flashed red, giving him the last vision before the fight. Like back in Dracula's Castle, it was a long vision.


Kirby woke up back in Subspace, looking around the empty space and seeing it take shape. For one, he was walking on glowing glass filled with strange markings. He saw weapons from Raifujin being upgraded to suit the Subspace Army better. Tabuu was watching the outside world as it was taking shape out of his reach. The Master Hand and Crazy Hand were by his side, still tethered to the God of Construction by Chains of Light and Darkness. Tabuu watched through multiple windows on how each of the fighters was cooperating.

"Hm… they seem to be living lives of their own," Tabuu spoke to the two hands. The Ice Climbers are scaling the coldest of mountains, the Wii Fit Trainer is meditating in a cave out of reach, the duck and dog in the duo that make up Duck Hunt are living their best life, and a trading system has established between the Ancients and the Mii Fighters."

"So, what do you want to do?" the Master Hand asked. "If this great evil is really as terrible as you speak, then we must establish our place in this universe."

"True, but the warriors we have right now are very few," Tabuu responded. "The memorials of the other fighters have been destroyed, and their Smash Balls have sought for the souls just like the trophies they had once possessed. Whether dead or alive, their souls will ring with determination. That is the one thing I need from these fighters, by which they need to be determined to survive. Go out to multiple universes and gather the souls of the Super Smash Brothers. When they ring with determination, the Smash Balls within them will glow. Create new bodies for them so that they cannot truly die. Their memories may be gone, but they will push forward until the beings they see as threats are stopped. If you cannot see it, gather up as many as you can and keep those who have their Smash Balls. I will choose who belongs in my army or not."

"But how will you create your army?" the Crazy Hand asked. "Shadow Bugs cannot product sexually and you know it."

"I have already made up my mind for the perfect vessel," Tabuu responded, pointing to Mr. Game & Watch. The monochromatic man was lying on a sandy beach on his side, as flat as paper. "This fighter's body may be so thin you can only see him in two dimensions, but he has strange properties within him that I can lay a Shadow Bug within him, letting it multiply and create new Shadow Bugs, and he wouldn't even notice that he has become a host. Now go out and find the other souls. By the time you get back, my army will have already grown." The two Hands obeyed willingly, and they teleported out from Subspace.

Tabuu widened the window of where Mr. Game & Watch was resting, and he took a Shadow Bug into his hand. With a soft blow, the Shadow Bug drifted through the window. The tiny creature landed on Mr. Game & Watch's head, being completely absorbed by the strange properties laid throughout his two-dimensional body. Mr. Game & Watch woke up, feeling a little fuzzy but otherwise fine. As soon as things seemed alright, he went back to sleep on the warm sand.


Time had passed in Kirby's vision, and Tabuu was watching as wherever Mr. Game & Watch stepped spawned in new Shadow Bugs. He didn't really notice that he was a vessel for these creatures… yet. The Master Hand and Crazy Hand reappeared behind Tabuu.

"Did you do what I asked?" Tabuu asked.

"We did," the Master Hand responded. "We gave them enhanced bodies and transformed them into trophies just to test out their durability."

"Excellent," Tabuu spoke.

"However, there were some tagalongs, and few of them have become… metallic?" the Crazy Hand replied. "They were kinda acting like zombies, and few of our chosen warriors have been infected. Three of them, to be precise." Tabuu turned around and looked at the Hands, confused as to what they meant.

"And have you determined who was the culprit?" the Construct God asked.

"Not yet, though it had something to do with a little blue hedgehog that slipped out of our grasps, stealing all our vast knowledge of every universe we have ever visited," the Master Hand answered. "He said he was enraged, that he was going to fix what he started. He was going to restore the memories of every trophy we have gathered. Since he was the last one to be analyzed, he freed the others into the realm, and now only the blue rodent remembers everything…"

"That… could be a problem to us," Tabuu spoke. "Gather up whatever infected tagalongs and Pokémon you can find and place them in special capsules and Pokéballs. Those vessels have healing properties and will surely cure them of any illnesses, even save the fighters that have been attacked. Whoever has not been infected but chooses to fight alongside the forces of evil, gather them here. If I don't see full cooperation in those troops, send them back to their homeworlds. They wouldn't even have any memories of this place."

"And… what if they're the chosen fighters?" the Crazy Hand objected.

"They WILL cooperate," Tabuu answered. "For those who behave but are not exactly qualified to be in my army, I will seal them away for consideration should my plans fail the first time."

"What about weapons?" the Master Hand pointed out. "Where are we going to get them and… what use will they have for you and your army?"

"Why, I could always just… take the Ancients under my control," Tabuu answered. "R.O.B. has grown rather sentient and has uncovered most of the technology found on the Planet of the Thunder Heliodor. He's somehow utilized it to the point where he has created a living society where he reigns prosperous and righteous. Though they have no real sex organs, they can go by the pronouns they best identify themselves with. I just hope my presence doesn't… affect their artificial reproduction. My plan is the Subspace Army will do most of the work, and the Ancients will surrender complete control. I will simply preserve the technology that made themselves so great in the first place."

"But… wouldn't the Mii Fighters be affected by this new change?" the Crazy Hand noted. "I mean… they can't speak. How can we know if they're not backstabbers? They live in a cave, and they're almost done researching an antidote to bring back their voices. It's been reported that the Gunner Ultimate and the wives of the other two Ultimates are going to let their expecting children be the first test subjects."

"Trading resources will remain the same, though the Mii Fighters will have to work harder than normal," Tabuu spoke. "As long as nothing goes wrong in the Isle of the Ancients, then chances are they'll be safe. The Ancients are the only ones who possess the knowledge worthy enough to create a new world within my own, the likes of which can be utilized into a weapon and fight back against my brothers should they escape. The Smash Balls would provide as alternate sources for fuel should these weapons go to waste. Through extracting the determination from the souls of the Smashers, I can find a way to turn them into my soldiers to protect this Great Maze… unless others of their kind are willing to find their trophies if they're not locked up properly."

"What will the Ancients do to this planet?" the Master Hand asked.

"Simple," Tabuu answered. "They'll blow up certain locations of Arcadia that are rich in determination with special bombs designed to transport the planet into Subspace, even though sacrifices must be made. With enough of that determination, I'll be able to create a gunship capable of ripping holes in space… and hopefully put an end to the great threat that has corrupted my brothers. If the gunship is destroyed, then… I suppose I'll do what needs to be done. With all that determination, I will turn the Great Maze into a weapon. Reach out to Ganondorf. Tell him I have a job for crooks like him. Take some of the essence in my wings and place it in one of the Dark Cannons that the Ancients will replicate. With one shot, any fighter in its aim will instantly be reverted back to their trophy selves." The Construct God pulled out some of the essence in his wings, which was a glowing ball of light. The Master Hand took the glowing ball and placed it in one of the Dark Cannons before he picked the weapon up and teleported out of the dimension.

"And what about me?" the Crazy Hand asked.

"Get Mr. Game & Watch and steal the Halberd from Meta Knight," Tabuu ordered. "And make sure no one knows a way to reverse the effects of my Off-Wings." The Crazy Hand teleported away, leaving Tabuu in the empty void of Subspace. He was confident this plan of his was going to work, even if it meant the safety of everyone trapped in this world. Whatever what going to happen was going to happen with blind luck. He was going to free himself of this place and make sure that these strong forces never attack.

It wasn't long before the Smash Ball on Kirby's forehead gleamed bright, ending his last vision before the fight against Dharkon.


Kirby woke up in a bed, looking around the room he was in. He noticed that it felt… familiar to him. The fading photograph next to the doused oil lamp on his side desk, the mural he drew which now had Byleth in it, it all seemed familiar to him. Kirby reached in his mouth and pulled out the Diamond of Universes, noticing how its colors were more vibrant than before. He could see a rainbow of all the Master Legendary Spirits resting within, filled with the shattered Locks that have been collected ever since Mario's reawakening.

"Hey, Kirby," Ragnarokk gently spoke, entering the room. Kirby looked up at the woman he grew close with all this time, feeling safe as she sat down on the side of the bed he was resting in.

"I… just wanted to check up on you, see how you're doing…" Ragnarokk continued. "I take it you're already up. I just… found you in another vision and brought you here. I kind of noticed the mural you and your friends drew isn't just a memorial. It's a sign of hope and remembrance. I… have done some awful things in the past. I thought things will resolve naturally on their own, but now I see you need to give them a little push. That was the mistake I made when I tried to help my brothers resolve. I hope I can return the favor… even if it meant my own death by their hands." Kirby handed Ragnarokk her stone, and she placed it back in her necklace. Her eyes flashed with multiple colors, restoring almost all of her memories. After her eyes reverted back to normal, she gave the Diamond of Universes back to Kirby.

"Now do you see why my Tabuu half started the First Subspace War?" Ragnarokk asked. "He was just trying to do the right thing. He must've gotten a little carried away in the end. But I will be willing to reunite with him and put an end to what I brought to your lives. Once Galeem and Phoenix are taken down, I guess this is goodbye. All the memories we had will still be with us. You'll be heading off to the Draxian Void soon. Better get ready when it pops up."

Kirby nodded, looking at the black-haired, brown-skinned warrior with determination – the one element that fuels the last surviving world.

Chapter 85: Blind Determination

Summary:

Before the fighters prepare for the big fight against Dharkon, Sonic starts to lose more of himself as time goes on.

Chapter Text

As Byleth walked throughout the Legacy, he was at least glad there were built-in portals on this floating city. He held tight to the device he brought back from the Mysterious Dimension, taking a good look at the object. He started to recall the events ten years ago, back to when Galeem destroyed his universe.


Peace had just been declared in the three main nations of Fódlan once again. There were crowds of people rejoicing in front of the Monastery, with Byleth standing next to his three best students: Claude of the Golden Deer, Dimitri of the Blue Lions, and Edelgard of the Black Eagles. The sun was shining bright in the sky, its beams glistening through the stained-glass windows in the Garreg Mach Monastery. There was going to be a banquet and dance planned within the academy, with all of his students helping out with the preparations. Everything was going to be great.

That was… until the light turned against the three nations.

Beams of light brightened the sky, burning away everyone Byleth saw. He tried to make his students evacuate the school, but in the end, they just pushed him away to safety.

"Save yourself!" they called out individually before they were consumed by the light. "You need to flee this planet!" The moment Byleth stepped out of the school, he was almost eaten by a beam of light before a flash in the shape of the Crest of Flames appeared right in front of him, deflecting the light beam. Sothis was standing in front of the professor, coating his body in a divine aura with her powers.

"If there's anyone that's gonna save you, it's me!" Sothis snapped, taking notice of the beams of light curving towards them. "You're our last hope on this world! Wherever you're going, it's getting the hell away from here and taking you to safety!" The last thing Byleth remembered was Sothis's powers warping him off the continent, taking him away from the beams of light.


When Byleth woke up, he struggled to get up from the cold, hard ground. He looked to his side and saw the Failnaught, Aymr, and Areadbhar. But why would the goddess he was forever bound to in spirit give him these weapons? They only worked for Claude, Edelgard, and Dimitri respectably. To wield weapons that only work for descendants of certain Crests is a dangerous one indeed, but not as dangerous as the world he was now trapped in. Without another thought, Byleth picked up the weapons and walked through the new landscape.

The landscape was barren, with hardly any plants in sight among the jagged rocks. There were strange colors dancing around, their echoes ringing throughout the area. They sounded like cries of help, pleading out to any survivors to restore their bodies. They wanted to escape this planet.

Byleth kept walking until he stopped at a cliffside, shocked by what happened to the landscape. It felt rather alien-like, and there were locations parts of different moments in history, ranging from the prehistoric ages to the far future. All of a sudden, Byleth heard the sound of a branch snap, and he quickly pulled out the Sword of the Creator. With a flick of a wrist, he lashed his weapon at the intruder. The stranger jumped into the air and quickly pulled out a gun, shooting at the professor.

Byleth used the Failnaught and aimed it at the masked stranger, to which the weapon worked for him surprisingly. However, since he had no idea how to use it, he shot right at a nearby rock, revealing an opponent wearing a red cap and vest.

The stranger charged at both Byleth and his opponent, rising high into the air with a powerful dunk. However, pieces of rock flew around when he missed and landed, and one of the rocks hit a bipedal bear in the head at high speed. The bear survived, and he quickly pulled out a bird from his backpack. The bird was willing to assist the bear, and she quickly coughed out a barrage of blue-shelled eggs at Byleth and the two strangers. A fifth challenger arrived late to the party, and he pulled his sword out upon encountering the other four. Soon enough, all the five opponents (Byleth included) were pointing their weapons at each other… with the bear holding his bird partner like a shotgun. However, the one who brought chi and fists into the fight stepped between the challengers.

"Woah woah woah!" the stranger spoke. "I don't know if it's too late, but… I'm Terry Bogard. I just want all of you guys to put down your weapons and just… think about what we're doing here. I mean, I didn't channel all the chi of the earth just to blast off into space and wake up on some planet of unknown origin. We're not just gonna attack each other over nothing if we can't figure out why we're here. So… let's just calm down and see what's the problem." The fighters put down their weapons, slowly starting to understand what they're doing here.

"I'm Byleth," the professor introduced himself. "And you must be…?"

"Ren Amamiya, but my codename's Joker," one of the strangers answered.

"My adopted name's Ireburn, but my royal name's Eleven," another responded.

"I'm Banjo, and this is my best friend Kazooie!" the bipedal bear called out. It wasn't long before the other fighters began to talk about their history and what they had in common with each other before going into how they got here.

"The goddess Sothis used whatever powers she had left and saved me from burning in light along with my continent," Byleth spoke. "Those deadly beams were unavoidable and ate everything."

"A similar situation happened on Earth," Joker noted. "Well… MY Earth, since we're from different universes. The beams of light you described? An attack just like that harmed both the real world and the Metaverse. Arsene commanded all the Personas I had to warp me out of there, draining their powers in the process. By five years, Arsene would be the only Persona I have access to."

"Somethin' strange also happened in my land," Banjo replied. "The sky was bright, everyone was crying and burning into ashes. I hid underground thanks to our mole buddy Bottles and he was eaten by the light like the others. The Lord of Games, or L.O.G. for short, answered on one of Bottles' contraptions and told me to use a machine and warp Kazooie and me outta there."

"I used my magic powers to escape," the Hero pointed out. "…Just thought I'd like to point it out."

"So… we're all here because of one reason: all our worlds have been devoured by light, and we need to get them back and return home," Byleth spoke with a bit of surprise in his tone.

"But how do we do that?" Terry asked.

"By finding the source, or course," Joker answered. "But first we're going to need to explore this world, see what we can find."


Sometime later, the survivors have been walking through a thick forest until they stumbled across a large blooming flower in the center of a garden. The flower began to quickly move around, twisting and turning until it became some sort of carnivorous plant. The plant didn't attack the fighters, and it simply looked at them like a newborn to its mother.

"Woah… hey there, little guy," Terry spoke, holding his hand out to the mysterious plant. The creature didn't attack, but it simply sniffed the Legendary Wolf's hand and licked it. The fighters could see that the plant had teeth, which was not like any other plant they had seen.

"Looks like a Piranha Plant from the Mushroom Kingdom," Banjo spoke. "But what's that thing doing here?"

"Don't know," Kazooie responded. "It doesn't look hostile, from what we learned."

"Does anybody have a flower pot?" Terry asked, rubbing the Piranha Plant's head like a dog. "Looks like he wants to come with us." Eleven looked around the garden until he found a flower pot, by which the others have already pulled the Piranha Plant out by his roots. They carefully placed the plant in the pot, to which he instantly adjusted to having the freedom to move around.

As the days had passed, the survivors slowly start to learn that the threat who destroyed their worlds was Galeem from the Supporters they had attacked. They allied with a few Spirits and became the Forgotten Resistance, by which they took shelter in a small ship.


One night, Byleth looked out into the sky, watching the thunderclouds roar in the air. It had been five years, and he was trapped on an island with strangers from another world. Sure, he's heard the legends of King Marth and his ancestors, as well as heroes from lands around his continent. But where can he find his students? The Seraph of Order was going to notice them at any moment, and they'll be stuck on this planet forever.

I wish there was a sign, Byleth hoped. If something, anything, can show a shred of wonderful things to come, then please give it to us so we can finally be free from this planet. In a twinkle on his eye, the professor looked up into the thundering sky to see a shooting star in the distance. His eyes widened with surprise as he leaned over the edge of the ship to get a better look. There, clinging onto the star for dear life, was the answer they were looking for.

The last of the trophies to run away.


Byleth was distracted by his train of thought the second he saw a large rock flying past his face. The professor looked to his right to see Sonic in the training room again, still trying to hit the sandbag with as much power as he could put his energy into. Vines and air gusts blasted out from his fingertips, and he was more accurate in his hits. However, his breathing had gotten more louder, and his messy quills and baggy eyes were more noticeable. The professor, relieved that he didn't get hit, looked at Fox McCloud, who was waiting at the door.

"I still don't understand why Sonic's acting like this," Fox sighed. "Sure, he may have sacrificed his life to make Kirby escape, and sure the two dragons have tortured him in some way, mainly Dharkon. But that doesn't give Sonic an excuse to become cruel and unforgiving to the Seraph of Chaos. Sonic doesn't deserve this. None of us do. He REALLY is determined to stick it up to the monsters that double-crossed us."

"Why doesn't he just relax?" Byleth asked. "Most of the other fighters seem to be doing it before the Dharkon Void opens up." The Star Fox mercenary took a quick glance at the professor, shaking his head.

"It's not as simple as you would think," Fox sighed. "He's traveled to literally every universe in existence, afraid of losing us. However, it looks like that hedgehog might not be so lucky after all. The scars in his eyes give off the sense that he's not telling us something. Remember when the Mii Fighters attacked us ten years ago? Well, I know you don't remember because you arrived after Galeem came here… the point I'm trying to make is: he's saying the Mii Fighters no longer remembered him. Everyone had their secrets exposed except for him. He seems so angry now… almost like he's no longer the hedgehog we knew and loved. Before we experienced the memories for ourselves, he was always the adorable little piglet that backed up our backstories. I just wish those days returned. Something happened to his planet. I know it. He doesn't remember it and doesn't want anyone to remember it. It seems as though when we return home, we'll forget all the stories of the other universes. He can hardly stay awake, and he wants to unleash his anger on our enemies. But it looks like he doesn't know how." Byleth watched as the blue hedgehog growled in anger as he began to generate a powerful barrier around him, with the seven Rainbolements targeting the sandbag.

Fox and Byleth watched with fear in their trembling eyes as they saw the floating hedgehog drain his powers to become at his most vulnerable. The blue hedgehog landed on the ground, panting heavily. He then felt something drip from his nose, and he wiped it off with his fingers. He suddenly noticed he had a nosebleed. The few blue quills on his spines were beginning to fall off, and they were a healthy color too. Sonic slowly began to realize that these powers were doing something to his body the more he began to exhaust them, and not in a good way. It was as if the out-of-control powers were slowly taking over his mind.

"I'm running out of time," he whispered, holding onto a small number of quills he molted. Byleth looked at Fox McCloud in grief. He wasn't even in this Super Smash Brothers team for a while, and he already began to feel sorry for the blue rodent. The professor placed the device in his pouch, knowing that little thing wasn't important right now. Just then, an alarm rang throughout the futuristic ship, alerting every fighter on board. Sonic instantly heard it blare out from the walls, and he quickly dashed out the entrance to the main deck. Byleth and Fox followed after him, running as fast as they could.


As the alarm continued blaring around the Legacy, Sonic made it over to the main deck to see a giant hole rip below the ship. It had a violet, flaming outline, opening up with veins of blue and white spiraling into the center. It expanded as wide as it could go, destroying any floating islands in its way. Sonic gazed into the giant hole as a smirk stretched across his face.

It was the Dharkon Void.

The three ex-Ultimates Reborn saw Sonic standing on the edge of the deck, his back facing against the Draxian Void.

"Sonic! Wait!" the Mii Gunner called out. However, it was too late. Sonic fell behind himself, falling deep into the void. The other fighters made their way to the deck, with Byleth and Fox arriving first.

"He just fell in there!" Gilbert pointed out, instantly climbing over the edge. "We have to go after him!" The Mii Swordfighter jumped off the ship, surprising the other fighters.

"Let's go people!" Fox spoke, pushing Sieg and Sherry off the deck as he jumped with them. Every single one of the fighters fell off the ship into the Dharkon Void, with all the Mii Fighters and Spirits they rescued watching as the Shadow Bugs swirled around the abyss. Wherever that hole would take them, they have to win against the Lord of Darkness.

Chapter 86: The Battle Against The Darkness

Summary:

The fighters have finally arrived to face off against Dharkon and drown away the darkness, and one of their friends has become determined enough to set things right. TOO determined.

Chapter Text

Zelda squealed as she braced for impact on the invisible floor, but the thickened air slowed her down much to her surprise. The princess stood on charcoal-black ground, with darkened clouds with red outlines roaring with thunder. The Princess of Hyrule looked around the place, terrified by the fact that she was alone.

"Link? Marth? Cloud? Anyone?" Zelda asked, calling out to the empty void as she looked around.

"Over here!" Ridley responded, waving to the princess. The Villager waved his arms around, alerting the princess as well. All of the fighters, with the survivors included, appeared out of nowhere from the darkness, making Zelda feel more comfortable.

"Hey, where's Sonic?" Falco asked. Fox heard his buddy say those words, and that question began to trouble him. If Sonic the Hedgehog was captured by the forces of darkness again, who knows what might happen? The Star Fox leader looked up into the sky and saw all of Dharkon's Crazy Hands carry all the remaining Supporters and Primaries. The last four Primaries were what they were looking for.

"There's the rest of our pals!" Captain Falcon told the group. "We have to go after them!" Fox suddenly spotted Sonic in front of the group, who was already running ahead. The Star Fox mercenary dashed ahead, leaving the other fighters behind. Regardless, they all went ahead towards Dharkon in this empty void.


The blue hedgehog stopped in front of a throne of black crystals, which looked exactly like Galeem's throne but with darker colors. He saw the Crazy Hands in the sky, leading Dharkon's forces through cages upon cages of where every Master Hand was, with the Arcadian Master Hand the only one bound in Chains of Darkness. There, sitting on the throne next to Galeem's cell, was the Seraph of Chaos himself giving a strict talk to Marx.

"So… let me get this straight," Dharkon sighed, his blue eye fixated on the winged jester. "You tried to stop the third group of fighters from defeating you by setting up challenges in the hopes that they could not win, using the best of your ability to attack them with lasers and thorns when they got the upper hand, even transforming into a blinking orb of eyeballs, and you still lost?"

"It… it wasn't my fault, I swear!" Marx begged, starting to get nervous at the Lord of Darkness. "That friend of theirs knew every trick up my sleeve! I didn't see that coming! Please don't turn me into a Spirit! Please!"

"Enough!" Dharkon snapped, twisting his tendrils around his eye. "You will be broken for this!" The slit pupil on the Seraph of Chaos's eye widened, drawing in one of the Crazy Hands by his side. The Hand was torn apart into a blue essence similar to the Master Hands, swirling into the pupil before being blasted out as a violet laser. Marx shot out a laser of his own in self-defense, but the laser simply curved around and hit him the moment he cowered underneath his wings. However, once the purple laser vanished, even Dharkon was surprised by what happened. The jester opened his eyes and looked at his own body, surprised that nothing happened to him.

"That… was not supposed to happen," Dharkon spoke with confusion. "How did you… stay together?" Marx looked back at Dharkon, soft chuckles bubbling in the back of his throat.

"You may be fast and strong, but there are those faster and stronger," Marx spoke. "A time will come when you can transform me into a Spirit, but that time won't be today. You've been getting way too close trying to figure out some major answers. I don't need anyone getting in the way of my big plans. I may be too weak to figure it out on my own, but with a little help I may be unstoppable. See ya when the universe's destroyed!" Just like that, Marx teleported out of the Dharkon Void.

"Looks like your powers have gotten too weak, haven't they?" Galeem asked. "Figured that would make the most logical sense." The Lord of Darkness glared at the caged seraphic dragon, staring deep into whatever soul he had in those orbs of gold.

"I depended on you the most, and you let society kick me around like trash because you were too fed-up in trying to create perfection," Dharkon growled. "I will restore our childhood memories, and I will never let you go. None of you." The Seraph of Chaos looked at the last four Primaries that had not been rescued: Roy, Dark Samus, Bayonetta, and Palutena. The Fighter Spirits of the four fighters arrived, and they were just about ready to attack. Dharkon spotted them, and he lashed his four tendrils at the Spirits, impaling them in their chests.

"Ngh… You can do all you can to stop our friends… but they will push forward and give you two what you both deserve!" Roy's Fighter Spirit groaned, trying to pull himself from the thorny tip holding him in place.

"If I had the upper hand, you'd be dead by now!" Palutena's Spirit snapped.

"Same here!" Bayonetta's Spirit responded. "We could have made it out alive like the Spirits with similar abilities before Galeem attacked!" The Lord of Darkness wrapped his tendrils around Palutena's and Bayonetta's Fighter Spirits, silently laughing as he looked at the Goddess of Light and Umbra Witch with potential.

"Thank you, lovely women, for clarifying that for me," Dharkon spoke, the light in his eye shining upon the remaining Fighter Spirits. "Your threat potential could be very powerful compared to mine should you be freed, which is why I will be treating you as my greatest soldiers. And your Spirits are not going anywhere." Chains of Darkness wrapped around the two Spirits, holding their wrists and ankles in place. As soon as Dharkon pulled back his tendrils, the Spirits of Roy and Dark Samus tried to free Palutena and Bayonetta respectably.

"The first time I tried this experiment on one of your friends, it wielded… interesting results. And I have saved up far more where they came from," the Seraph of Chaos spoke, unfolding three of his tendrils to reveal three vessels: the capsule with glitching particles, the bowl of mercury, and the dish tray with the bones of the first Arcusian dragon. Before Dharkon could inject the two chained Spirits with the three ingredients, Sonic fired a blast of all seven Rainbolements from down below. Dharkon was knocked back, dropping all three of the ingredients down to the charcoal ground and shattering them. The Palutena and Bayonetta Spirits broke free of the restraints, fleeing with the souls of Roy and Dark Samus. The Seraph of Chaos growled upon the impact, looking down upon the blue hedgehog that he experimented on.

"What an interesting sight," Dharkon spoke, his eye gazing upon the blue hedgehog as he saw the other fighters right behind him. "You finally made it all this way. And it looks like you brought the whole team with you, the six survivors included."

"Seven," Kazooie cooed from Banjo's backpack.

"Phoenix, there is no need for violence," Peach spoke. "If you just forgive your brother for pushing you into isolation, none of this would have happened."

"I will never forgive that imposter of a perfect little angel for all he will ever do," Dharkon growled. "I will free everyone from this world and give them endless possibilities with no questions asked. The shadows will take over, and chaos will rule within the darkness!" Sonic zapped the eye of Dharkon, making the Seraph of Chaos flinch.

"Cut the bullcrap," Sonic snapped, flames curling between his fingertips. "I want to end your life right here and now!"

"Ah, so you have become as cruel as you claim I am, exhausting yourself in the process," Dharkon spoke, focusing his attention on the blue hedgehog and not the other fighters. "Ever since I gave you those powers, you have been following blind determination, have you not? You are willing to kill without consequence, driven by a hunger which you can never satisfy. In the end, you will awaken the monster within your soul, letting it devour you as it destroys your world, ruining your happily ever after even when you reset your story to the beginning. Sooner or later, you will grow to be so sadistic even the monster that lurks within you will see what you have become. It seems as though those powers of yours have grown so out of control that you have become no different from the ones who abandoned me. Now I must warn you... this war cannot be stopped by reasoning. If you think that this war between the light and darkness can be resolved through violence alone, then you are all really not going to like what happens next when you deal the first hit." The other fighters prepared their weapons, not attacking just yet. It was Sonic that dealt the first hit as usual. The blue hedgehog focused all his power into a large fireball, sending it straight for Dharkon's eye. The Lord of Darkness chuckled at that adorably hopeless gesture, twisting his black tendrils around his eye.

"That is what I thought," Dharkon spoke to Sonic as the main focus, his black arms emerging from his pupil as the tentacles twisted around him more. "You will not stop until the ones you see as threats are killed, unaware that the REAL monster… is you."

"Sonic, what have you done?" Mario asked, he and the other fighters watching a shadowy humanoid figure emerged from the blue eye, which collapsed in on itself with the tentacles obstructing Dharkon's appearance.

"This isn't like you!" Link called out to the speedy devil. "We understand what Phoenix has done to you, but there is another way!"

"Quit being an asshole!" Terry spoke. "We're all in this together!" The blue hedgehog unleashed a wave of ice at the warriors he called friends, still filled with anger. The frozen tips were just inches away from the Smashers up front.

"You guys don't know what it's like to be locked up for five years, left to rot in chains until you become a god with uncontrollable power against your will!" Sonic answered in an enraged tone, the lights in his mismatching eyes flickering to expose his fury and determination as he turned towards the transforming Lord of Darkness. "I would rather waste all my energy killing the dragons that did this to me than letting you guys be all heroic and noble! I'm only doing what needs to be done, and I will inflict the pain and torture both Galeem and Dharkon have dealt to me this whole time! I will kill them again, and again, and again… even if it means killing them a million times." The ground underneath the fighters rumbled, and a stage large enough to fit them all appeared below their feet. The reddened sky thundered with rage as a deep draconic roar rose from below the stage.

"So, I guess all you want is what you came for," Dharkon's voice spoke as his tendrils spiraled around in the air. "I will give you all what you deserve since you wish for death." Dharkon simply transformed into the draconic form revealed in Kirby's vision but with the lack of the violet scar on his face. His blue eyes flashed, pointing his tendrils at the huge team of fighters while he growled.

Snake, Mii Gunner, the three Links, and two Pits began spamming projectiles at Dharkon, by which the dragon teleported to another location. The Lord of Darkness coated his body in electricity, with his tentacles trailing behind him as extensions to his ability. As Dharkon dived down to the fighters, he flew around like a lightning bolt of death. Smashers like Bowser and Ganondorf got hit, but there were those fast enough to avoid the attack. Dharkon's tentacles wrapped around his body, and he teleported again while trying to avoid attacks like Terry's Power Dive and Yoshi's eggs.

"From what I have heard from the souls lost in this world, Galeem's defeat and mine will affect the space-time continuum, resetting everyone's memories to zero once they return home… unless they are determined enough to keep a few with them, especially with the treasured moments they made," Dharkon spoke, his blue-and-golden eyes flashing violet as he spawned in X-shaped bombs all over the stage. The bombs instantly exploded, hitting everyone except Sonic. The blue hedgehog blasted off into the air with fire-powered boosts, ramming his fists straight into Dharkon's face. The dragon roared as he tried to claw the blue rodent off his face, but he quickly began spitting out a barrage of violet bullets across the stage and knocking Sonic into them. Byleth, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry all began getting the other fighters to the edge of the stage into safety.

"It looks like you have become the type that does not want to give up, do you not?" Dharkon asked the blue hedgehog in front of him. "You have become the type of person who will never be happy, even though there are three endings to the story. Either I win, my brother wins, or the both of us die."

"Then you won't even be alive to witness it!" Sonic snarled, dodging Dharkon's tentacle piercings while kicking boulders at the dragon. "If I had the power, I could be resetting timelines and killing you until you regret the day you were born!" The Seraph of Chaos slashed two tentacles in front of the blue hedgehog, but Fox McCloud quickly dashed in at the blink of an eye and pulled Sonic out of an X-shaped rift.

"You could have been killed!" Fox told the blue hedgehog. "Don't you know how crazy this fight is?" Sonic simply pushed his best friend away, spamming lightning bolts at Dharkon. He didn't even speak to Fox since he was so focused in getting the job done.

"In the end, it is kill or be killed… is it not?" Dharkon sighed, teleporting on top of the stage and dropping in a few Dark Puppets, which were created in the images of the Primaries kept in the darkness. Mewtwo, Cloud Strife, Robin, and a few others took care of the exploding puppets while the rest of the fighters managed to tackle down Dharkon, knocking off the tendrils on his back.

The wingless dragon landed with a dull thud, leaving himself wide open to attacks from the Smashers. Sonic was just about to rush in and land heavy attacks, clinging onto Dharkon as he levitated off the stage. The Lord of Darkness's eyes flashed a deep dark red and exposed the violet scar on his face, trying to get Sonic the Hedgehog off his back as the blue rodent kept punching him. Dharkon roared as he rammed Sonic into the stage, knocking the fighter off.

"Do you know why the Spirits lost their bodies in the first place and not you, the people I am addressing as fighters?" Dharkon asked, sending his thorny tentacles through a series of portals across the stage. "It is because you have some sort of protection. One of which preserves your determination, preventing you from turning into dust like your other friends. I may not have all the knowledge my servants present to me, but I know that is the case." The Lord of Darkness landed on the stage, shooting violet beams of electricity at the fighters while his tendril-wings began unleashing a bullet hell of thorny bullets. One by one, each fighter was dodging the attacks as best as they could, and in the end they all survived. Sonic approached behind Dharkon, charging up a powerful punch and hitting the draconic entity behind the back.

The Seraph of Chaos roared in defeat, soaring high into the air as the colossal tentacle wings curled around his body. The fighters looked up into the reddened sky, feeling the atmosphere of the Dharkon Void collapse around them. As every one of them fell down to the charcoal ground, they were slowed down by the magic around them.


The sky in Draxia exposed the reddened sky of the Dharkon Void, with a little bit of sunlight breaking through the thick clouds. The first Spirits and Mii Fighters exposed to the light cheered in victory, with Ragnarokk on the Legacy watching the chaos and disarray of the planet collapse around the ship, filling the bottomless abyss beneath.


As Dharkon lay on the ground, trying to get up, the other fighters stood back. Everyone except for Sonic. The blue hedgehog was still determined to kill the draconic entity no matter what, and his friends noticed that. Clementine tried pulling the hedgehog back, but he pushed the Inkling away.

"Go ahead and kill me," Dharkon chuckled, watching the blue hedgehog stand up to him. "My death may be inevitable, but it will not change what you have become. In the end, you have become the toy I have decided to alternate. Or I might have been lucky. You clearly have no knowledge of good and evil now, do you not? Even if you repair a few scratches, you cannot fix what is already broken. Killing me will not bring your old life back. It will turn the tables of fortune towards those that will burn away imperfection." Energy charged up in the blue hedgehog's fingertips, tears streaming down his face. The other fighters watched with fear… fear that the cocky blue hedgehog will become a mindless killer. With a frustrated shout, Sonic rammed his fist into the ground, creating a dent inches away from Phoenix.

"…You see?" Dharkon asked, noticing the blue hedgehog did not kill him even at his full power. "The old you is still in there, trying to hold you back until you have become worn out. The old you knows becoming an omnipotent god will not change who you are, knowing you can still make the choice to do the right thing. As for me? I made MY choice long ago." Dharkon ascended into the air, lightning foaming in his mouth as he rose above the fighters. However, a beam of light hit the Seraph of Chaos, knocking him back with enough force. Half of the sky grew brighter as Galeem dissolved the cage and chains around him, feeling his powers return to him. The Master Hands were freed from their cages, by which they began attacking some of the Crazy Hands.

"After all these years… we can finally have the showdown I always dreamed of!" Galeem shouted, unfurling his celestial wings and partially blinding the other fighters. "I will burn away all the shadows of the multiverse and purge your filthy darkness from this world!"

"As you wish, brother," Dharkon snarled, his tendrils wrapping around Tabuu's Chains of Darkness. "However, Tabuu will be working for me." The God of Construction was harshly pulled towards the Lord of Darkness, trying to fight back against the restraint. Chains of Light wrapped around the left side of Tabuu's body, pulling him more towards Galeem.

"I'm afraid Tabuu is by my side!" Galeem snarled. "The Subspace Army will provide all the potential I need to purge the darkness before I burn it away, never to be used again when you're no longer around to stop me!" Tabuu was caught in a tug-of-war between the two draconic seraphim, with the fighters watching the Construct God being pulled around between two arguing sides. Even Sonic the Hedgehog stepped back as he watched the forces of light and darkness argue over who gets Tabuu to control the Subspace Army.

"…ENOUGH!" Tabuu shouted, spreading his butterfly wings and unleashing his Off-Waves. The waves were powerful enough to knock Galeem and Dharkon back, the both of them letting go of the Chains of Light and Darkness. The Off-Waves were traveling fast towards the Super Smash Brothers, and Sonic the Hedgehog noticed this.

Without any protection from the Off-Waves like the Dedede Brooches, they'll all become trophies. There was no way around from an inevitable fate, but Sonic had to do something. ANYTHING. He then realized he had the power to save. Save them from certain doom. But how was he going to do that. Without thinking, Sonic ran in front of the group, lifted his hands up, and yelled…

"EVERYONE GET BEHIND ME!" The second the Off-Waves hit. A powerful barrier appeared from Sonic's fingertips, clashing with the Off-Waves All the fighters got behind the blue hedgehog, unaware that the barrier was weak enough to allow Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth to get hit. All the survivors transformed into trophies, landing behind the other Smashers as they held tight to the blue hedgehog. A powerful energy spread across Sonic's fingertips as he focused all seven Rainbolements into his strength, strong enough to crack the ground underneath him.

Despite having no control over his powers, Sonic pushed his abilities to his limit, exhausting himself to the point where his eyes flashed a bright white. The fighters held on tight as they felt fire, earth, thunder, life, air, water, and magic spiral around them, fueling the determination within Sonic. The blue hedgehog started to feel pain within his hands. Any moment now, his hands will become numb and not feel them as they vanish or something. Even Galeem and Dharkon were blinded by the colors spiraling from the barrier.

It wasn't long before Sonic yelled as loud as he could, using all seven of the elemental powers of this world to push the barrier meant for countering the Off-Waves to his limit. It became so powerful that the ground they were standing on crumbled into dust to expose a glowing surface underneath it.

With all the strength Sonic had in his body, he kept his baggy eyes open enough to see light and darkness clash with each other like waves in a violent storm. He looked down upon his gloved hands, which he could no longer move or feel. His hands faded away into dust, but Sonic was too exhausted to even care. Sounds of concern from his friends became muffled around him, and the last thing he saw before collapsing under his own weight was falling into Fox's arms.

Chapter 87: The Man Who Speaks In Hands

Summary:

As Sonic was asleep, he encounters a strange someone. That someone does not reveal his name yet but gives out a second chance in the hedgehog's story.

Chapter Text

It felt like waking up in a dream.

When people enter a dream, they often forget how they came here. They are unable to recall the situation, only thrown into the halfway point and left to connect the dots.

That was what happened to Sonic.

He felt the sins on his back wash away, cleansing him of whatever weights and hardships he had. He was unable to remember what happened. It felt like he was falling. Falling for all eternity. Any faces that he could recall were all a blur.

Rainbolements? What were those? Sounded like a twelve-year-old mashed together the words rainbows and elements and called them differently from the norm. Who knows if he even had powers?

Sonic opened up his emerald-green eyes, which no longer had the scars and mismatching colors within them. He saw a twinkling star in his hands, but it confused him a bit. Weren't they gone just a minute ago, or were they always there? Who even cares at this point, all that mattered was that he was falling, feeling his soul being washed away. Next thing he knew, the air around him slowed down and became thicker, almost like floating underwater. He descended until he touched solid ground, which felt soft to him. This was also the moment when he could begin to move around.

Upon standing up, Sonic noticed that the atmosphere around him became lighter. He could see the place more clearly, with a rising orange sun hidden underneath pink clouds that were moving fast. Very fast. When Sonic took the first step, it seemed as though the ground underneath him was moving past his steps.

The walking did not last very long before Sonic stopped in front of a strange creature. It looked a bit like a squirrel, about the hedgehog's height and a similar body structure. Even though the squirrel was facing away from Sonic, their fur was noticeably smooth and metallic.

"Are you… okay, little guy?" Sonic asked, reaching out to the creature. Before the hedgehog could touch the squirrel, they turned around and slashed at the hedgehog's face with sharpened claws. The squirrel had reddened eyes and acted like an undead creature, and it seemed to be transferring its metallic structure to where they touched Sonic. The blue hedgehog looked at himself in fear, watching as the metal quickly spread around his face. More anthropomorphic animals started to appear around him, every single one of them a different species but similar body structures. And they were all metallic zombies.

Sonic couldn't move. Whenever he tried picking up his legs, it felt like they were stuck to the ground like glue. All he could do was stand and watch as the metallic zombie animals approached him as he was transforming, and they were crowding around him. He tried to struggle from them. He tried to breath. But the air around him was becoming too tight the more the metallic zombies closed in around him.

Next thing he knew, he was in a dark room. The metallic zombies had disappeared, and the liquid covering his face simply washed off his face, dripping onto the floor and spreading across. The blue hedgehog noticed a dark aura was enveloping his body and raising the quills on his head. Rotting hands emerged from the ground around him, with decaying bodies crawling out. Every single one of these zombies neither have a metallic color nor attacked Sonic on sight, and they all looked different from each other.

The blue hedgehog watched as the dark aura around his body enveloped the zombies, and explosions appeared out of nowhere. Gunfire and screams were enveloping his head, filling him with fright as he saw the zombies with his darkened aura attack every living creature. Bullets and missiles flew right through him as though he was a ghost, and the next thing he saw was fire consume him.

Then, the flames vanished. The screams and growls of the undead were no longer present, and the blue hedgehog was in a realm like it was completely made out of vantablack. There, standing in front of him, was a face. And not just any face. This face was distorted and crackled, almost like it was melting into itself. A white turtleneck was hidden underneath a robe of black, though it was hard to tell if there even was a robe considering the room was so dark. In front of his chest were long, boney hands, with each of his palms having a large hole carved into them. The two beings looked at each other in silence, before the alien figure spoke in a voice like those found in a text-to-speech generator accompanied by a dark and sinister voice.

I know who you are.

When the being spoke, he didn't move his mouth and slowly moved his hands in front of his face. Strange symbols generated behind the creature, translated into what he said.

"What the…?" Sonic asked. "What is this place? Where am I? Who the hell are you?"

I am the being that has no name, the stranger answered. Even if there are those that know my past, all I have become is a faded memory. For now, you can call me… an Eye of God.

An Eye of God? What was this creature playing at? Something wasn't right here.

"An Eye of God?" Sonic asked, slowly walking towards the crackled face. "What kind of job you have there?" However, the blue hedgehog noticed he was walking in the same place, unable to approach the alien no matter how hard he tried.

Beings like me have been shattered across space and time, waking up at a point where all alternate universes collide, the mysterious stranger responded. You are currently standing in one of those points: a universe of complete shadow. Dark, darker, yet darker. There is something I must show you. The stranger turned around and slowly expanded his hands apart from himself, revealing windows upon windows of light. Sonic's eyes filled with wonder as he looked around, curious as he saw images playing around.

In each of these windows is a moment in history across the multiverse. Different alterations, different situations, all occurring at the same time. At some point, these timelines cross and give birth to new ones. And my assistance is to guide them to where the Almighty Father sees fit. However, these timelines seem to have… stopped. They somehow ceased to exist. My confirmations have led me to believe YOU were the culprit.

"Now hold on a second," Sonic objected. "I cannot be the source of those timelines stopping. I have survived ten years without being transformed into a trophy, been experiencing visions of a woman purposely created by Tabuu as a distraction, have been captured by Galeem, captured again by his brother and was forced to hang around this time, and now you're telling me was the cause of those timelines stopping? I've had enough as it is. How much more do I need?" The stranger with the cracked face stared at the blue hedgehog.

I am afraid whatever I say next will not be countered by whatever objections you have in your mind, the creature responded. You had exhausted yourself to the point where your old self was locked away, letting your anger upon others get the best of you. It was through that rage that you had destroyed the planet you were standing on. Not once, but twice.

"Twice…?"

The first time you let your emotions get the better of you, it was out of guilt. Guilt that you could save no one but yourself. You began to create twisted versions of humanity in other universes to express your hatred, but eventually you calmed down and began searching… for other survivors. The second time this happened stopped all the timelines you see here, leading to two different endings to your story: consumed by light… or swallowed by darkness.

Sonic looked at the timelines represented by the stranger, looking into the long hands with the large hole in each one. In the Eye of God's right hand, the blue hedgehog noticed that in one ending, Dharkon's forces of darkness were pierced by the light. The Seraph of Chaos roared in defeat as the Lord of Light vaporized him with beams of light, destroying all the Crazy Hands in the process. Galeem then spread his wings, consuming anything and everything in his light. In the left hand, there was an alternate situation. Galeem's forces were crushed by the darkness, and the Seraph of Order was chained up. The emptiness of space doused the lights of every star in existence, and the only light was the faint glow of Dharkon's eyes of blue and gold.

You see… your liberation of Arcus had destroyed all hope your friends had to save their respected universes. Without the Super Smash Brothers to stop the struggle, there were two outcomes to the situation. Whether everything was devoured by light or darkness, both lead to the same ending: eternal blindness.

"No… no no no no no no no no… no!" Sonic spoke with disbelief. "I… All these universes. All these planets and dimensions I have discovered that my friends haven't even reached out to yet! I failed them all. I failed everyone. Please! You have to bring them back! Make it look like none of this ever happened!"

I am sorry, but I cannot change fate without His permission, the stranger responded. Sonic, however, would not give up that easily. He ran over to the creature and began tugging on his wispy black cloak.

"This can't be how the story ends!" Sonic continued, his emerald eyes filling up with tears. "There was so much more to discover! We've been building up on how we're not just toys in the minds of others! I need a way out!"

Do not push me! the stranger snarled at the blue hedgehog, his crooked mouth and drooping eyes widening to reveal the endless abyss within them. Tiny orbs of light flashed in the creature's eyes as a sign he was serious. It has already been decided. This is how your story ends… with two outcomes. What the Almighty Father decides has been done. You have done this to yourself, and you will be forced to stay in the void for all eternity.

Sonic took a look at all those alternate timelines, watching as they played on repeat around him. He saw how everyone was happy, not a care in the world. However, from the expressions on their faces in different outcomes, he noticed they all split up into the two timelines of eternal light and darkness, vanishing without a trace. Those consumed by the light seemed more welcoming to their blind fate, while those swallowed by darkness were more fearful. The blue hedgehog's eyes began streaming with tears, and he knelt in defeat as his throat tightened. None of this would be happening if he wasn't captured by Dharkon, and the chances of imprisonment within the darkness would be far more decreased if he just used something like the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic curled down, gently planting his forehead to the vantablack ground. The tears dripped down his face as he began to cry, twinkling with a glimmer of hope in a starless world. The creature looked at the blue hedgehog, aware of how depressed Sonic must be. Even though the alien himself could not feel emotions, he could understand them.

Very, very… interesting, the stranger spoke. You want to go back. You want to go back to the world you destroyed. It was you who pushed everything to its edge. It was you who led the countless universes to their destruction. But you cannot accept it. You think you are above consequences. Sonic's silent weeping slowed down, slowly looking over his shoulder to the man who speaks in hands. The blue hedgehog wiped the tears from his face, facing the stranger he was trapped with.

This has not been the first time you wanted to go back after death, has it not? It happened when you confronted the one-winged angel, and previously you were struck down by the mind of the goddess who weeps.

"Mind of the goddess?" Sonic asked before he started getting flashbacks. Attacked from behind by a certain crystalline hedgehog, hearing a princess cry and unleash hell's fire in his dying moments. It all came back to him.

"Mephiles. But… why a mind of the goddess? Wasn't he the mind of Solaris, the Sun God?"

The reason for your enemy's existence will come in due time, the stranger spoke. For now, I would like to come to a bargain. Something we can both agree on. You still have something I want. Give it to me, and I will create a third ending to your story. What you decide to do with it is entirely up to you, but the timelines that have been created will continue to exist if you choose to do the right thing and restore order and chaos. Your determination does grow, fueling the star within you.

Sonic took a good look at the being, ready to accept this deal. But what was he going to give him?

"I'll give you what you want," Sonic answered. "Just please: make sure my friends haven't been destroyed by my actions."

Then it is agreed. You will give me your memories. The blue hedgehog's eyes widened, frightened that he was going to give away everything he had ever worked hard for. It will only be the memories of the worlds you have visited. All the secrets you have discovered. You will still remember the adventures you went with the friends you made on this planet, and you will remember your own past. However, how you left your homeworld will be one of the memories I will take from you. Outside of your speed, you will also forget the powers you were given, but when you discover them you will build them up over time, just like you wished for. The only reason I am doing this is not just out of curiosity, but out of protecting you from those who want to harm you and resurrect the Goddess of Insanity. Your mind is a complicated one, a literal labyrinth of memories and delicate information. I wish to contain them within my possession so that she may never be released. I have no control over what happens in each timeline, for my determination has been scattered. Your old memories may be gone, but your mind will become empty enough to allow new ones and piece together the past of the goddess. Your main objective for now is to traverse the world where photosynthesis and necromancy attack one another. The true message I will give you is this: as long as you fan the eternal burning flame, find the demons who call her name. In front of the mysterious being, held in the strange hands, was a shining star. Sonic the Hedgehog took a good look at the star held in the man's hands, glancing back at the alternate realities. He wanted to keep his memories. He wanted to remember the worlds he visited. But how was he going to relive those moments if they never existed?

"It's a deal," Sonic sighed, grabbing ahold of the star. A smile stretched across the crackled face, with thousands of symbols blinking around the hedgehog, constantly changing letters and meanings a million per millisecond.

Then it is done, the stranger spoke, placing his hands and adjusting them so the holes in the palms were on Sonic's eyes. Reawaken the rebellious spirit within you. Strive who you were meant to be. You and your friends… will be the stars to save us all. Binary code began flashing through the holes, implanting themselves in Sonic's head, altering his mind until the worlds he visited faded from his mind. The light of the star he touched grew brighter, enveloping the room around him. There was a sound, growing louder by the minute until he became completely deaf.

Next thing he remembered… the sound in his ears quieted down and became clearer to hear.


The blue hedgehog slowly opened his eyes, adjusting to the bright light above his face.

"He's awake! He's awake!" the Ralsei Spirit called out, noticing that Sonic was up. "Hey, everyone! Sonic's awake!" The blue hedgehog adjusted his vision to see the Spirit of the goat prince float out of the empty room. The blue hedgehog turned his head to hear a heart monitor hooked up to his wrist, measuring his steady heartbeat.

Sonic unhooked himself from the monitor, getting up from the bed he was resting in. He walked around, trying to keep his balance as he walked to a rectangle mirror hung on the wall. The last thing Sonic could remember on this planet was… having multicolored scars and eyes, as well as sporting powers that may or may not have gone out of control? It was hard to piece together what happened, since everything that happened after the fight with Dharkon was sketchy. In fact, he noticed his scars were missing, and his eyes were back to the green they had always been.

Sonic rubbed his face, surprised there was nothing there. A slide door opened, and in walked Fox McCloud and Kirby.

"Uh… hello, I guess?" The two were relieved that Sonic was up, and they quickly ran over to the blue hedgehog and hugged him tight.

"We were so worried!" Fox sighed, breaking apart the hug. "Ralsei told us you'd be up by now just when we were thinking you'd be dead. You really have exhausted yourself out there, haven't you?"

"Exhausted myself?" Sonic asked. "I think I got a little head trauma, so I might not know what you guys are talking about."

"Oh, you know: fire blasts boosting yourself into the air, icicles, magical bursts," Fox responded. "You were doing so much of that that you could not control any of them."

"Really?" Sonic asked with a bit of curiosity. "In that case…" The blue hedgehog quickly jumped up into the air, trying to master the power of flight. It was just as useful as a chocolate teapot, since he landed on his face on his first attempt.

"Wow… that barrier you created was so strong it made you forget the usage of your powers?" Fox asked.

"I… guess so," Sonic responded, suddenly remembering his hands faded into dust when he last used these powers. The blue hedgehog quickly pulled one of his gloves off, exposing a mechanical hand attached to his arm.

"The readings were unstable when the Mii Fighters and Spirits hooked you up to a hospital bed hours ago," Fox responded. "E. Gadd took it upon himself to construct for you brand-new hands just as functional as your old ones. Kirby and I decided to stay while the other fighters went out trying to find the last four Primaries and the survivors. Something must've happened to you, because the last time we visited, you had the scars on your face. Now, they just… kinda vanished. Quick question: can you still run around the Legacy?" Sonic responded by disappearing in a flash and entering into the room a couple seconds later.

"Yeah, why?" Sonic responded, slipping his glove back on before picking up Kirby.

"We were just worried you might be powerless completely," Fox sighed with relief. "Anything you experienced while you were unconscious?"

"Well, there was this dream I had about visiting a man who speaks in hands…?" Sonic answered in confusion. "The dream was a bit iffy, because I completely remember all he said and at the same time… don't. It was kinda an abstract dream. I… can't describe it. Did I miss anything?"

"Not much," Fox answered, walking out the door. "Come with me to the deck. You too, Kirby." The pink puffball squirmed out of Sonic's grasp, following the Star Fox mercenary. Since the blue hedgehog still remembered walking around the Legacy, he knew every nook and cranny about this place. He quickly dashed out of the room, picking up Kirby and Fox and carried them to the main outside deck much to their surprise.

As soon as the two fighters jumped out of his arms, Sonic looked at the planet in shock. The sky was half-and-half, with light and darkness clashing at each other. The planet was no different, with jagged crystals of the two sides decorating the landscape. And there, in the distance of where Master Hands and Crazy Hands tackled each other, were the draconic seraphim themselves, attacking each other relentlessly.

Chapter 88: The Final Battle - Part 1

Summary:

After leaving the Legacy to meet up with the rest of their friends, Sonic, Fox, Kirby, and Ragnarokk meet up with the survivors... only they were saved by the presence of a familiar shared slave between Galeem and Dharkon.

Meanwhile, Marx and Mephiles come to an agreement on what they can get from the benefits of those caught in the war between light and darkness.

Chapter Text

"Wow…" Sonic sighed as he looked at the landscape locked in conflict with itself. "That all happened while I was passed out?"

"Yep," Fox responded. "Ever since Galeem broke free from his prison, he and Dharkon have been attacking each other, the both of them powerful enough for one side to win the war over the other. Mario and the gang had left after hearing about the Dark Samus and Roy Primaries being somewhere around here, and they took a small team of Mii Fighters with them. The Primaries were busy guarding Morpho Knight and M. Bison respectably."

"Morpho Knight and M. Bison?" Sonic asked. "You mean the original guys behind the Second Subspace War have a say in this?"

"Without Tabuu to assist them, Galeem and Dharkon took it upon themselves to take control of the remaining Supporters, Primaries, and bosses. The split between the two forces was half-and-half. The whereabouts of Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth are unknown, but we can assume they're under control of the Subspace Army after they too vanished." Just then, Ragnarokk ran up to the deck, still sporting the outfit she chose for the Dark Realm.

"We've got an urgent message from the Fighting Mii Team," Ragnarokk spoke. "The fighters have split up from them thanks to the bosses becoming super-powerful from the Seraphim of Order and Chaos. They're down south as we speak, waiting for the Miis to get the upper hand."

"Let me guess… the Miis are losing?" Sonic asked in annoyance. Ragnarokk nodded as a response, much to their predicable surprise.

"Well… better go after the bosses then," Fox responded.

"I'm coming too," Ragnarokk responded. "If what the rumors say are true, then I need to reunite with Tabuu. I need to be brought back as Ultima and end this war. With your help, I can bring back what was once lost." The Star Fox mercenary grabbed ahold of Ragnarokk's hand, placing her grip on his tail. He then made sure Sonic and Kirby held tight onto her waist.

"I'm getting us all down there," Fox reminded, pressing the device on his wrist three times. The four warriors teleported onto the crystal ground, several feet away from the grounded Legacy. The small group's new objective for now was to get to the team of Mii Fighters. The Star Fox mercenary used the compass on his watch-like device, which was now working because of the war going on.

"We head up north," Fox told the team. "Let's go." The three fighters followed behind Fox, walking across an area where light and darkness meet. One of the last Sheik Supporters with glowing-violet eyes tried to ambush them by jumping off one of the crystals, by which Sonic responded fast. The blue hedgehog jumped behind the puppet fighter within a flash and kicked her away. However, just as soon as the blue hedgehog landed, the earth rumbled underneath the four fighters. The light crystals began to move, pushing away the darkness.

"I forgot to mention," Fox responded. "Everytime you take down one of these puppets, you're shifting the balance for either the light or the darkness."

"So, it's not a good thing?" Sonic asked.

"In times like these, it's never a good thing," Fox answered. "Keep an eye out for a Supporter under control of Galeem." As soon as the Star Fox mercenary said that, an Ice Climbers Supporter with red eyes ambushed the small team again, but Ragnarokk quickly launched a fireball at the puppet fighters. The earth shifted again, and the dark crystals pushed against the light, sustaining balance between the two warring sides. Puppets of Inkling, Zelda, and Shulk under control of the darkness charged straight for puppets of Cloud, Bowser, and Donkey Kong under control of the light right in front of the group.

"Let's get this over with," Sonic spoke, popping the bones in his shoulders and spine as he dashed straight for the Supporters attacking each other. Kirby followed behind the speedy hedgehog, pulling out his flaming mallet as he swung at the puppets that were launched by Sonic's electrical dashes. Within the span of a few seconds, all the Supporters were knocked out without interfering with the crystals on both sides.

Within the distance, the four fighters could hear the small Mii team attacking up north.

"Keep them here! Don't let them escape!" one Mii called out.

"Gunners, attack the Primaries! Everyone else after the bosses!" another shouted.

"We must be getting close," Ragnarokk told her friends. She pulled out the dragon-tooth sword she had always carried along, marching straight ahead. Upon hearing a gunshot from a mile away, Kirby managed to quickly catch a bullet speeding several feet per second heading straight for the brown-skinned warrior. The pink demon quickly ran into Ragnarokk and pushed her away, knocking her straight out of harm. The lead bullet hit the ground, which surprised the other two fighters within the group.

Sonic looked in the direction from where the bullet was shot, and he managed to spot a few characters behind crystal pillars in the distance. The blue hedgehog dashed straight for the hidden fighters, curling up into a ball and dashing straight for one of them. Without thinking of who he was attacking, Sonic grabbed ahold of the fighter and sped back to his friends.

"Piranha Plant!" Fox exclaimed, suddenly noticing the fighter in Sonic's grasp. However, the appearance of the plant was… rather different. For one thing, the Piranha Plant sported a purple tinge, and surrounded by a shadowy aura. The carnivorous flower whacked Sonic's face by swinging his flower pot at the hedgehog, knocking Sonic back and freeing himself.

"Sonic, you need to get back," Fox warned the hedgehog, who was trying to get up. "This Piranha Plant's under the influence of the Shadow Bugs!"

"Shadow Bugs?" Ragnarokk asked with a tone of familiarity in her voice. Another fighter hiding behind the crystals jumped out, grabbing ahold of Kirby in the blink of an eye. Upon hearing the pink demon's squeak, Fox rapidly fired his pistol at the figure who grabbed Kirby: Joker. The Phantom Thief was also controlled by the Shadow Bugs, but his eyes exposed a golden hue. Kirby tried to squirm from the false fighter's grip, but Joker held on tightly. Sonic managed to get back up and kick the Phantom Thief, grabbing Kirby out of harm in the process.

"Stay behind me!" Ragnarokk told the three uncorrupted fighters as her sword lit up in flames. "There could be more of them!" The false versions of Joker and Piranha Plant began to hear the sounds of multiple Light and Dark Puppets charge right at each other, each one based off the Primaries rescued from either the light or the darkness depending on who they were controlled by at the time of their rescue: white with blue outlines for the Light Puppets, black with red outlines for the Dark Puppets. They didn't get the chance to attack each other shortly before they were each knocked out of the air by the four other fighters in possession of the Shadow Bugs. Once the false characters all landed on the crystal ground, there was no one to stand between the small team of Smashers and the fighters under control of the Subspace Army.

"Banjo & Kazooie, Byleth, Eleven…" Fox McCloud noted, counting down the survivors. "Oh no…"

"What's wrong?" Sonic asked. "Haven't you faced false characters of Subspace before?"

"We have… only one or two at a time," Fox answered with uncertainty. "This is taking down all six of them at once, and they are all based on the fighters who evaded capture from raw power and skill alone. The odds are against us, no doubt. We'd be knocked out before we even go out to rescue the last four Primaries."

"But that means Tabuu is free, and I am not wasting my chance to re-fuse with him!" Ragnarokk responded, launching a powerful energy wave from her dragon-tooth sword. Upon the initial explosion of the energy beam, the false characters jumped out of the way. Shadow Terry was the first one to land and dashed straight for the fighters, to which Kirby quickly responded by swinging his hammer around.

The Shadow Banjo & Kazooie dashed around with the Wonder Wing move, ramming straight into the pink puffball. Sonic the Hedgehog spindashed right into the bear-and-bird duo, but he was quickly hit by Shadow Byleth's Aymr. Thankfully, the move had plenty of endlag for Fox to approach behind the professor and rapidly kick him from behind. Unfortunately, the false Piranha Plant spat out a spiked ball by which Hero whacked it straight at the Star Fox mercenary with his sword like a baseball bat.

Ragnarokk buried her fists into the crystalline ground, creating thorny vines that sprung out from the ground. The Shadow Bug fighters were tangled up in the vines, but the false Joker managed to pull off his mask and unleash Arsene behind him, cutting off the vines that trapped the Phantom Thief. Now powered by his main Persona, Joker dashed straight for the four fighters, firing his boosted gun. Ragnarokk quickly deflected most of them with her sword and protected the other three fighters with a magical barrier to reflect the bullets back at the Shadow Bug fighter. The corrupted fighter tried to use Makarakarn to deflect the bullets, but they were far too strong and simply pierced right through his chest.

The false characters entangled in the vines witnessed the death of one of their comrades, who was laying down on the cold crystal ground. The vines began to twist around the Shadow Bug fighters until Banjo & Kazooie suffocated from the tightness squeezing around their throats. The other four fighters managed to squirm out, and Kirby quickly pinned down the Piranha Plant by transforming into a stone and crushing the carnivorous flower's stem with his distributed weight.

Sonic began taunting Byleth and the Hero, speeding in-between them before he was cornered by the two. As soon as the false characters were just within sword length, the blue hedgehog zipped out of the way and let the two swordsmen impale each other in the chest. Fox McCloud was tackled down by Terry Bogard, who was ready to punch the anthropomorphic fighter's face into a red pulp with a powerful chi-energized fist. Ragnarokk managed to quickly stab the Shadow Bug fighter in the chest with her sword, pulling it out once Shadow Terry drew his last breath. Once the vines wilted and Kirby transformed back to normal, the small group of fighters watched as the Shadow Bugs taking control of the survivors retreated from the corpses, revealing the trophies of their comrades.

"Well… I guess we somehow managed to pull through," Fox sighed as he walked up to the trophy of Joker. Just as he was about to touch the golden base, he hesitated and pulled his hand back.

"I don't understand," Fox told the others. "I thought the only way you can become a trophy is if you're given a new body by the Smash Ball glowing within you. Isn't that the reason why we're all here?"

"Tabuu must've probably found them and, according to Ragnarokk's memories, given them bodies of their own," Sonic responded. Just then, something hit the blue hedgehog in a figurative sense of realization. "But that could only mean…" Sonic quickly raced around the trophies, touching the golden bases of each one and reverting them back to normal. Each of the fighters groaned as they sat up, unable to recall what happened after Tabuu unleashed his Off-Waves.

"Quick!" Sonic asked the survivors. "Do you remember anything from your homeworlds? Any friends you made there? Any conflicts you went through?"

"I clearly remember everything: the Metaverse, each member of the Phantom Thieves, the Holy Grail… why? What's gotten into you?" Joker responded in the form of a question.

"Yeah," Banjo noted. "Kazooie and I know we had to rescue Tooty from the evil witch Gruntilda, racing around in planes, there was something involving us getting fat and ugly before being forced to build cars in an almost-empty world to avoid working in a video game factory… yeah… nothing much we cannot remember, but now we'd like to forget some of 'em."

"But I don't understand," Sonic objected, scratching his head. "I thought if you transform into a trophy with a new body that looks exactly like your original appearance, your memories are reset and/or gone."

"Well, I think after the Off-Waves were released, we were taken in by the Shadow Bugs and hid with Tabuu in some mysterious realm," Ireburn spoke, starting to have his memories come back to him. "It was pretty vague, but I think the determination within us had already grown to be so powerful we can carry our memories on even after 'death.'"

"Plus, we think the realm Tabuu and his forces hid out in may have the secret to destroying the crystal shell surrounding Arcus and help us conquer both light and darkness," Terry pointed out. "Bad news is: the big guy's mind was weakened by the chains binding him, and… he began to say strange things about things that didn't make sense but… didn't NOT make sense either. Like how we're trapped in a game."

"Like the ones Banjo and I were told about?" Kazooie asked.

"Yeah, that's it!" Terry clarified. "Only it's something… far more sinister. Almost as if he's sunken into a realm that has made his vision darker yet darker." Sonic started to remember the weird dream he had before, with the crackled, melting face flickering within his memory like a glitch. It sparked a familiar sound within his mind, buzzing through his ears like a fly buzzing around trapped in his eardrums. The blue hedgehog simply shook it away, calming himself by thinking it was just a coincidence.

"Look… we've got a few more friends we'd like to rescue," Fox told the survivors. "Regardless if you have a new body or whatever, you all need to pitch in and help us escape from this planet. We save this world, then we also save ours."

"We're with you," Byleth spoke, whipping out the Sword of the Creator. "Then we can teach those monsters not to double-cross us in other worlds." The other survivors drew their weapons, ready to fight once more.

"Then we better hurry to the Mii Fighters," Fox told them. "They're probably overwhelmed right about now." The Star Fox mercenary dashed ahead, and the other fighters followed behind. Byleth suddenly remembered the strange device he kept in his pouch before, taking a look at the strange thing. It was still with him all this time, even though he transformed into a trophy. Shouldn't Tabuu have it right about now? Maybe with whatever sanity the Construct God had left, he must've noticed just how important that thing was and gave it to his new body. Outside of having the ability to solidify into a statue, what significance does it have in terms of mortality?

Maybe that strange device he has might provide the answers.

Once he followed the other fighters up north, a familiar face peaked out from one of the crystal pillars on the side of light. It was Marx, alright.

The strange jester watched as Byleth and the others went off to the Mii Fighters, taking the device he carried along with himself for ten years fall into the hands of the enemy. He just felt so determined to get what he wanted that he didn't notice a stranger standing behind him.

"I take it something has been on your mind for quite some time, and it started after you quit working for Dharkon," the voice spoke. "Strange, isn't it?" Slightly alarmed, Marx turned around to see the crystalline hedgehog Mephiles behind him, still donning the Master Legendary Spirit disguise.

"What are you doing here?" Marx asked. "I thought you were one of those Spirits who's drawn into the stone Kirby swallowed alongside those Locks."

"I suppose I should drop the act right about now," Mephiles sighed, removing his Spirit disguise and exposing his physical form. "Galeem has managed to capture everyone in the universes where each of the Super Smash Brothers came from, reaching out into alternate timelines, but he hasn't managed to capture me. I take it you followed in my footsteps according to your intentions?"

"I didn't follow in anyone's footsteps. I followed my own, and I always will," Marx snapped. "Dharkon didn't transform me into a Spirit because he was clearly too weak to get the job done."

"No… I think it was something more than that," Mephiles responded. "Dharkon's powers are just as inevitable as Galeem's, but somehow YOU weren't transformed even though they hit you. You're not like the other bosses, aren't you? Most of them were just Spirits who begged to get their bodies back, but ever since Day 1, I had been watching you. You have been spying on the Super Smash Brothers, analyzing their strengths and weaknesses."

"Suppose," Marx spoke, looking out into the distance. "By the way, you are aware of what's about to happen next, right?"

"Yes," Mephiles answered. "The light and darkness will fall, the Spirits and fighters will return, and everyone will live happily ever after… almost everyone."

"Here's the thing," Marx noted. "Few of the fighters here were born on this planet. They don't really have any origins, and their memorials by which the Dragosmos made were sculpted out of the ashes of their future selves."

"A future by which they will never survive," Mephiles responded, trailing his crystalline hands on Marx's two-tone hat. "You know… I have grown rather curious as to what you hide under that hat. What secrets you have hidden from mortal eyes. Perhaps it could provide the answers to your insanity?" The crystalline hedgehog could feel the horns underneath that hat, feeling how they were bulging out from the short violet locks hidden underneath. Mephiles pulled the hat off, revealing the strange markings imprinted on them.

"The marks on your horns read 'lnouionainéüriuea' on your right side and 'ilueasāhnéshtëgceaéshtnéumbrsyl' on your left, otherwise translated to 'malice' and 'destruction,'" Mephiles noted, reading the mysterious language on Marx's horns. "It's spoken in multiversal, no doubt. But I wonder why you would keep this a secret."

"Because there are some secrets I don't want to expose anyone to," Marx sighed. "All I know about you is: you have been split from an unknown force with only little memory of your past, and you were the cause of starting this war between the light and the darkness."

"Glorious, isn't it?" Mephiles chuckled. "Ever since my defeat at the hands of Sonic, Shadow, and Silver under the influence of the Chaos Emeralds, my powers have significantly waned. There is a powerful barrier covering the planet, preventing any Spirit from escaping. We are no exception, even if we're not technically Spirits."

"The only reason why I'm even here in the first place is because I evaded Galeem's attack and hid out the storm. Dharkon, on the other hand, managed to lock me up in a dimension for five years. Ever since then, I've been thinking of a way to get back at those that think these worlds deserve no justice. I even sang a whole song about it by the time Byleth was helping the fighters get through the quizzes I set up! I work for own intentions, pal. And if you think you can help me, then forget it. I'm only here to assist the She-wolf. Only she knows how to give birth to a new multiverse… from the ashes of the old."

"Maybe I can help find who you are looking for," Mephiles responded in a calm tone, giving Marx back his hat. "Like you, I too would like to give justice to those who are blind. But my powers are too weak to be of any real threat. Our plan for now is simple: once the Seraphim of Order and Chaos fall and shatter the barrier, we make a break for it. We destroy the weakest planets first, then move on to stronger ones."

"Aren't people gonna take notice, though?" Marx asked, adjusting the hat on his head. "I mean… what if there's some kind of prophet hero on that planet destined to strike us down? I mean, every prophet's story begins the same: you spot the chosen one, you attack their home/mentor, the chosen one escapes, they learn about how great your threat is, they learn how to fight back with cool weapons and quirky side characters, you're eventually defeated due to the prophecy you helped make true. Why? Because you chose to attack their home/mentor in the first place!" However, Mephiles simply laughed at that comment.

"By the time Galeem and Phoenix are destroyed, Sozo and Hakai would be opening up the gateway to the dimension the dragonlings hid in," Mephiles responded. "The arrival of those young children would leave the Super Smash Brothers too distracted to notice our presence… especially when there are others waiting for our return…" The pink Insaniton appeared behind the crystalline hedgehog's quills, crawling up to the top of his head.

"This Insaniton is the last of its kind," Mephiles noted. "By the time the Mother was locked away, this little creature managed to escape and find me on Arcus. It focuses its growing power on insanity. The more insanity that is abundant, the stronger its powers grow. All I need is your assistance to help me make my mark: to make others fear me again… and to help me uncover my past, if I had any."

"Forget it, pal," Marx responded. "I only work for myself, and the only time I rely on others is when I need them to push myself to my goals." Just then, Mephiles spawned a red, juicy apple in his crystalline hands. Its faint aroma was strong enough to tempt anyone, and Marx was an extremely ravenous type. The jester's mouth watered the more he stared at the apple, and he couldn't hold his resistance any longer. Like a bat, Marx snatched the apple from Mephiles's crystalline hands and devoured the whole fruit, core and all.

"Keep talking," Marx spoke with a second thought. Mephiles created a slice of cake, filled with fluffy, golden batter, white icing, and topped with a ripe strawberry and gave it to Marx. The jester engulfed the whole thing, letting the flavor sink into his taste buds before he swallowed and licked his drooling lips.

"I have plenty more food where that came from, and all you have to do is hear my demands," Mephiles replied, looking at the disarray unfolding between the two sides of order and chaos from within the distance. "It wouldn't be long before the Super Smash Brothers get their happily ever after… for us, or course."

Marx looked up into the sky to see what Mephiles was talking about, and far up north he saw the two brothers blindly attack each other over which winner takes all.

Chapter 89: The Final Battle - Part 2

Summary:

While the fighters begin to relieve the original four bosses of the Second Subspace War, Kirby starts to learn the truth of what he missed out on Tabuu's defeat during their first encounter twenty years ago.

Chapter Text

Up north, to where the Mii Fighters are about to lose, the forces of light and darkness still clash with each other despite sharing the same enemy. M. Bison and Morpho Knight clashed at each other in the air with their weapons while keeping in mind of the Mii Fighters trying to attack them. While the two bosses were dueling out, the Roy and Dark Samus Primaries kept the small team busy. The only notable reason for this is despite being on two different sides, they were possessed by the Master Legendary Spirits Reshiram and Zekrom respectably, who were both close allies in the Pokémon universe. However, that wouldn't stop the Primaries from getting in each other's way thanks to the light and darkness controlling them through the Locks.

"We can't hold them back!" one of the Mii Gunners shouted, quickly managing to avoid a blade beam from Morpho Knight. "They're too powerful!"

"We need to push forward!" Sieg shouted, holding on tight to the Roy Primary's blade and trying to push back. "We've got a bigger number than them! We can fight back!" The captured fighter kicked the ex-Brawler Ultimate Reborn back, ready to slash at the Mii Brawler with the Binding Blade. The Dark Samus Primary, under control of the darkness and a natural enemy toward the light, attacked the captured fighter with a powerful charged shot. While the two Primaries attacked each other while the bosses separately threw Mii Fighters far and wide, Gilbert and Sherry helped Sieg back onto his feet.

"Look!" Gilbert noted, spotting Fox, Sonic, Kirby, and Ragnarokk in the distance. "Looks like backup came to us. Hey! We need help!" The four fighters ran over to the three Miis, trying to avoid the projectiles sent out by the bosses and catching some of the members of the Fighting Mii Team in the process.

"Why did you guys come alone?" the Mii Gunner asked. "Where's the backup?" The Piranha Plant arrived onto the small area by helicoptering his body towards the ground, and Arsene carried a maskless Joker with his Wings of Rebellion. The Hero appeared at the group with his Zoom spell, Kazooie carried Banjo as best as she could by constantly flapping her wings, and Terry and Byleth skidded down to the area's level.

"Listen: we'd like all of you to pitch in," the Mii Brawler spoke. "Both the bosses and the Primaries are attacking each other, and they keep pushing us back whenever we try to get in the way. We're hoping you guys can help."

"Gotcha," Terry responded. "The Mii Fighters pile up on the Primaries, the survivors and I go after M. Bison while the rest of you take down Morpho Knight."

"On it!" Sonic responded, dashing ahead while saving certain Mii Fighters from the ground in the process. The blue hedgehog then jumped up, coated in electricity, and tackled the Butterfly Warrior before M. Bison could unleash a powerful punch on Morpho Knight. Byleth lashed the Sword of the Creator like a whip and wrapped the blade around M. Bison's feet, slamming the powerful general into the ground.

As soon as the Mii Fighters saw the fighters and their ex-leaders take down the bosses, they began to target the Primaries the second they knocked each other back. The three types didn't wait for a command from their ex-leaders. They just charged straight ahead for the captured fighters like flies attracted to rotting meat.

"Ah, if it isn't the blue hedgehog who encountered the Smash Ball," Morpho Knight spoke, swinging his sword in front of him and knocking Sonic off his round body. "I was just about to finish what the darkness started."

"Oh, you still remember that dumb charade, even after ten years?" Sonic asked, rolling back onto his feet. "Guess what pal: you're outnumbered!" Fox, Kirby, the three ex-Ultimates Reborn, and Ragnarokk stepped beside the blue hedgehog, ready to take the Butterfly Warrior out for a spin.

"My guilty pleasure," Morpho Knight chuckled, pulling out his flame-coated sword. The Butterfly Warrior charged forward, keeping his eyes on the warriors before Ragnarokk clashed her sword with Morpho Knight's. The two sword users danced around each other with their swords, but Morpho Knight unleashed two ghostly faces. Fox and Sherry quickly jumped in front and deflected the ghosts, letting Kirby jump in front of them and deal a series of aerial attacks.

M. Bison was rubbing his head after the collision on the ground, and he looked up to see the survivors from other worlds ready to face him. Confused, the general adjusted the cap on his head and stood up.

"Who the hell do you think you guys are, attacking me as the light is about to emerge victorious?" M. Bison asked.

"I'm betting your time as a Spirit wasn't very well-used," Terry answered. "Guys like you should get out more." The Hungry Wolf parried a powerful punch from M. Bison, following with a Power Wave move. Byleth thrusted the Areadbhar forward, impaling the general at the side before flinging him into the ground. The impact was powerful enough to leave a dent in the crystalline ground, but not enough to put M. Bison down for the count. The general got back up on his feet, trying to punch with energy-coated fists at the survivors danced around him.

During the fight, both the Roy and Dark Samus Primaries were on the verge of defeat, and the Mii Fighters attacking them emerged victorious. While the other fighters were busy with the bosses, the Locks on both captured fighters shattered: the angelic wings of the Galeem Lock on Roy's body and the twisted tendrils of the Dharkon Lock on Dark Samus's body. The two Locks shattered into the white and red mists respectably, floating up into the sky until they merged into a singular entity of a pink mist. The Spirits of Reshiram and Zekrom guided the combined Locks towards Kirby, who was just about to finish a weakened Morpho Knight with a powerful hammer hit. The second the swung mallet hit the boss's butterfly mask, the Master Legendary Spirits and the pink mist entered his body, making his glowing eyes rapidly blink in white and red colors but otherwise giving out the same effect in terms of visions.


Kirby opened up his eyes again, still sporting the rainbow aura and golden eyes. He looked around the mysterious realm of Subspace, noticing how much it didn't change. Tabuu was watching through several windows to the outside world, paying close attention to the fighters involved in the First Subspace War. The red eye in his chest looked behind his body, watching as the Shadow Bugs began pushing certain parts of Arcadia into a single cluster and slightly brightening up the light within the empty void. All the determination created from those certain locations flowed out in a rainbow of colors, building parts of the Subspace Gunship he so desired. The Master Hand and Crazy Hand teleported in, ready to give the Construct God some news.

"Tabuu, if you would spare a moment of your time to listen to what we have to say," the Master Hand spoke.

"Go on," Tabuu answered.

"Y'see, there aren't any more locations bearing this 'determination' you so desire," the Crazy Hand noted. "Plus, there are a ton of things going wrong with your troops."

"There are plenty of Smashers we haven't reached out to, but we don't have the time or patience to alert them," the Master Hand continued. "Pikachu, the fighter you have used as a battery for the Isle of the Ancients, has broken free thanks to the warrior named Samus Aran. She reclaimed her Power Suit and is on her way to your dimension. King Dedede is starting to learn about your abilities from his Waddle Dees retrieving information from leaked documents of the Subspace Army and has recently constructed brooches of his face to protect the other fighters from your Off-Waves, according to a report from Bowser. Ganondorf is thinking about overthrowing my authority over the Subspace Army and taking control of the place for himself, believing that it can accomplish a greater destiny than conquering Hyrule. Last but not least… take a look at the Ancients and Mii Fighters." Tabuu looked through a window peering into the nurseries on the Isle of the Ancients, watching as each R.O.B. troop was being put together by mechanical arms piece by piece, every single one of them dropped off a conveyor belt and assigned to build weapons and carry them to the expanded storages for further use.

The God of Construction watched as one of the R.O.B.s was starting to question their existence. If they were really built just to push crates of bombs around. If there was more purpose in life than just being some mindless tool created for a greater desire. The R.O.B. troop stopped their pushing, creating a gap in the line as the R.O.B.s in front of them kept moving forward. The Ancients behind the robot looked from behind the crates they were pushing, watching as the R.O.B. left their post in an angry tone. There were Primids that were just about to grab the robot and put them back in line, but the rebellious R.O.B. fired a series of lasers at each one of the Primids, knocking them down as they went out the door. The R.O.B.s, inspired by this action, abandoned the crates they were pushing and followed behind the rebelling Ancient.

"It seems the Ancients are beginning to evolve," Tabuu concluded. "Almost as if they are… filled with determination. This is exactly what I was looking for. With their deaths, the Ancients will have all I need to fully power the Gunship and complete the Great Maze." The God of Construction then realized the Gunship he was creating was completed, and he knew what had to do.

"Contact Ganondorf," Tabuu ordered, grabbing ahold of the Chains of Light and tugging at Master Hand. "Tell him the Gunship is complete, and a portal into Subspace needs to be established, even if it means wiping the Isle of the Ancients from existence."

"Are you serious right now?" the Master Hand objected, tugging at the chains that tethered him to his captor. "If you destroy the Ancients, you are endangering the lives of the Mii Fighters. Just look at what they are doing now." Tabuu looked through another window, this time in some sort of cavernous network of mining refineries. There was Sonic the Hedgehog, Wolf O' Donnell, and Jigglypuff, who were all in what appeared to be a delivery room. The three fighters were encouraging the Gunner Ultimate, Sherry's mother, and the wives of the other two Ultimates, to give birth to their children.

None of the mothers made sounds of pain, no matter the miserable facial expressions, as they pushed their babies out. They were just about finished with the triple delivery after so many hours, and the Mii nurses managed to clean the newborns and cut their umbilical cords. The mothers each held onto the infants they delivered, weeping tears of joy as the children were crying.

"Normally, a Mii would make no noise once delivered," the Master Hand noted. "However, they had just broken through with bringing back their voices through countless experiments meant to inspire future generations." Tabuu took a good look at the infant Miis, feeling… emotional about the sleeping babies resting in the arms of their mothers.

"They… were crying…" Tabuu muttered. He began to think about how the destruction of the Ancients would affect the Mii Fighters and their mineral transport system. However, there were bigger threats out there, somewhere just out of reach. Ready to strike back against anything and everything. To attack those at their weakest. He knows that upon destroying the Ancients, the countless networks would no longer be powered by the isle and collapse in on themselves, killing everyone trapped beneath the earth. He knew all this was his fault for his fatalism. For Ultima's fatalism.

"Crazy Hand… warn all those in the mines to evacuate," Tabuu commanded the Hand of Destruction. "And at the end, make sure no one remembers the fighters. They are forbidden to learn of the cursed knowledge that may doom us all, especially from Sonic the Hedgehog." The Crazy Hand teleported out of Subspace, with the Hand of Creation disappearing shortly after. The Construct God looked out into the window peering into the Isle of the Ancients, watching as all the rebelling robots were shot into rubble and wires by the Roturrets that targeted them as a threat to their mission. Any of the surviving R.O.B.s were forced to surrender and had the algorithmic computer chips in their heads reprogrammed by the Primids.

"Soon, I will reunite with you," Tabuu spoke, with Kirby knowing he was talking about Ragnarokk. "Wherever you may be, I will find you one day…" The Smash Ball glowed once again, teleporting the pink alien out of the vision and back into reality.


As soon as Kirby woke up back in Arcus, he looked around to see that everything seemed to have calmed down… for the most part. The Mii Fighter party left their group after realizing they can carry on the rest of the stressful task from here on out. Both M. Bison and Morpho Knight collapsed onto the ground, each of them exploding in multiple colors of light and darkness before vanishing out of existence. Roy groaned as he tried to stand up, rubbing his aching head while Dark Samus helped him back onto his feet.

"Wh… What happened?" Roy asked, unable to recall the past events from before. Joker walked up to the wild-haired swordsman, adjusting the mask on his own face. Roy looked at the new fighters with Fox, Sonic, and Kirby, and Dark Samus was just as confused even though the insides inside her exoskeleton were pulsing organs constructed out of Phazon Energy from the Metroid Prime.

"Who are you guys?" Roy noted.

"What?" Eleven responded, holding the Piranha Plant by his flower pot. "Did you expect Kirby to be the only survivor?"

"Wow…" Roy sighed in disbelief. "I never thought Dark Samus and I would miss a lot in ten years."

"Looks like Palutena and Bayonetta are the only fighters left to be rescued," Fox spoke. "It looks like Galeem and Dharkon have noticed their threat level to be omnipotent and are currently using them as a last-minute defense. We need to head down south behind the Legacy and fast."

"It looks like you'll be joining us too," Ragnarokk told the rescued Smashers. "I know my powers may be rusty, but I can warp us over to where we need to go: just south behind the Legacy."

"I got this," Fox responded, holding Sonic's hand as he pressed the button on his wrist three times. "Everyone, hold on tight to me." All the fighters in the group held hands as they were transported across the land, instantly appearing behind the humungous gunship a few seconds later. Sonic the Hedgehog and Fox McCloud could hear another battle occurring in the distance.

"It's Mario and the gang!" the Mii Gunner shouted. "We're coming, guys!" Sherry instantly ran off, with Gilbert and Sieg following after her.

"Wait for us!" Banjo called out to the ex-Ultimates Reborn, flipping around so that Kazooie was carrying the bear on her back through the blue pack. The other Smashers ran ahead, heading to where a ton of chaos was taking place. Lo and behold, after peaking from behind the crystals, they looked down to see the rest of their friends down for the count.

The strange power that had overwhelmed these fighters came from Infinite fueled by the light and Sephiroth fueled by the darkness. Somehow, no matter the number, the bosses had managed to weaken the Smashers no matter how hard they tried, and the real reason behind it were the last two Primaries in existence. The Palutena Primary and the Bayonetta Primary.

While Infinite and Sephiroth were attacking each other in the air, the two captured fighters walked over to whichever side they were assigned to: the darkness for the Umbra Witch and the light for the divine goddess.

"Heh heh…" the Palutena Primary chuckled in a masculine voice, walking over to some of the fighters that were rescued from the light. "No one can ever stop what the light has in store for abominations like you. The burning of a thousand suns will grace your torture slowly and painfully." A magical bullet pierced through the possessed goddess's green hair, having just came from the red-aura, violet-eyed Bayonetta Primary. She had just fired one of her bullets from her gun, glaring at the Palutena Primary.

"Give it up, Balder!" the Bayonetta Primary shouted in a different voice, talking to the Master Legendary Spirit trapped within the goddess's body. "You and I both know there will only be fear and darkness."

"Ah, Medusa," Balder's voice spoke from Palutena's body through a white aura and red eyes. "Such a shame the desires to bring all those to cruel justice underneath the light has been through my ancestry for ages, even if I have to kill the body of my only child for becoming one of the last Umbra Witches."

"I'll be rid of this disgustingly inappropriate body once I'm through with you!" the Bayonetta Primary snapped, dashing straight ahead towards the captured goddess. The Palutena Primary pulled out her staff, swinging it in front of her like a club. The last Primary under Dharkon's control and the only troop remaining in Galeem's forces were too busy fighting each other that they didn't notice Ragnarokk, Fox, Sonic, Kirby, Roy, Dark Samus, the survivors, and the young ex-Ultimates Reborn slide down the crystalline ground, keeping aware that the balance between light and darkness must be kept between the multiverse. Sephiroth and Infinite stopped attacking each other to face the fighters that joined the fight, ready to attack them.

"More ants to crush," Infinite spoke as he watched Kirby help the Villager up. "And here, I thought this was going to be easy."

"So, I guess you wasted all your time and energy taking down all our friends?" Sonic asked, hoisting Mewtwo back onto his feet.

"You will regret this, you inferior bastards!" Sephiroth snarled, slashing his blade at the masked jackal before gliding down to the Smashers.

"Clementine! Quick!" Fox called out, telling the grounded Inkling to throw a Splat Bomb at the one-winged angel's face. Upon being blinded, Sephiroth began throwing Materia and other spells around before Ragnarokk began casting lightning at his face. She was about to go in for a clean slice with her dragon-tooth sword, but Infinite pushed them both onto the ground with the power of his Phantom Ruby.

"Most impressive," Infinite chuckled. "Your skills match my wits. But now it's my turn." Infinite outstretched his arms, the jewel fused to his chest glowing with raw energy. Thankfully, Mewtwo teleported beside Infinite and used Confusion before thrusting forward with darkness-covered hands.

"Weren't you supposed to stay down?" Infinite asked, flicking his own wrists until they glimmered with red pixels.

"We never can and never will," Mewtwo answered, dashing straight for the levitating jackal midair. Some of the fighters, like Marth and Peach, started to get up and tackle the other bosses after noticing they had just gotten weaker from their first encounter after ten years.

"You are all beneath me!" Sephiroth snarled, pushing the Smashers away with his katana blade. "The light is mine to devour for Dharkon!"

"Wow… for a literal angel of death, you threat speech was rather weak," Sonic teased, quickly stepping out of the way when the one-winged angel sent a fireball in his way. "Your loss. This is why we don't play nice." The blue hedgehog dashed ahead, spinning around the two bosses. He tackled Infinite first, dealing a series of rapid jabs as the masked jackal tried to claw him off his face.

"Joker and I will take care of the Primaries!" Byleth noted, grabbing ahold of the Phantom Thief. The rest of you take everyone to safety!"

"But what about Sonic?" Ireburn asked.

"Looks like he's strong enough to kill two birds with one stone," Joker answered. "Let's go!" The professor and the Phantom Thief dashed straight for the last two captured fighters, who were too busy attacking one another. Byleth whipped out his Sword of the Creator, wrapping it around the Palutena Primary's waist and dragging her towards him. Joker pulled out his gun, shooting at the Bayonetta Primary that danced around him before grabbing him by the neck and pulling him close until their faces were inches apart.

"Why don't we take this somewhere else, pretty boy?" Medusa's voice in the Umbra Witch's body asked. A dark vortex spawned between the two fighters, transporting them somewhere else. Byleth, upon seeing the Phantom Thief disappear, was distracted from the fact that the Palutena Primary whacked him in the head with her staff.

"The purge of this world will have to come later, for you are of my utmost importance," Balder's voice spoke in the goddess's body. Meanwhile, as Sonic the Hedgehog began dodging powerful blades of light and homing missiles made out of Phantom Ruby particles, he saw Byleth and the Palutena Primary blip out of existence through a light portal. The blue hedgehog quickly snapped back to his senses as Sephiroth grabbed ahold of his neck and carried him into the air.

"Hm… it seems you've lost all the knowledge you possessed before," Sephiroth spoke, suddenly taking notice that the blue hedgehog lost the memories of the homeworlds he visited. The one-winged angel was then attacked by a powerful pillar of pixelated particles, coming from Infinite himself.

"The legendary hedgehog is mine to kill, and I don't need you getting in my way," Infinite snapped, launching orbs of light that curved around to face wherever the blue hedgehog moved. Sephiroth summoned one of his Dark Materia to unleash a powerful slashing move upon Infinite, all while Sonic had to dash around to avoid the projectiles before jumping off one of the crystalline pillars and spindashing right into the attack.


"It's over now! We both know this is how your legacy ends!" the Palutena Primary spoke to a bruised Byleth. The stage they were on was a Final Destination version of Palutena's Temple, and the last fighter captured by the light gleamed with golden peacock feathers intertwined in her radiant green hair and a mask covering half her face.

The professor stood up, wiping the blood dripping from his mouth and pulling his sword back up. He dashed forward with confidence, swinging his sword at the Palutena Primary, hitting her staff at every shot. The captured fighter levitated off the ground, sending waves of radiant light to blind the survivor opposing her. Byleth shielded his eyes from the brightness, shutting them entirely as he flinging his Sword of the Creator with the flick of a wrist and wrapped the blade around the captured fighter's leg. The blade cut deep into her skin, making it easy for Byleth to swing her around like a ragdoll before ramming her into the stage.


On Joker's end, he had his mask off the entire time, and Arsene couldn't stay around for long to protect the Phantom Thief from the Bayonetta Primary's Bullet Arts. The stage they were on seemed to be falling forever, with eldritch angels and demons locked in eternal conflict in the background and the Final Destination battlefield in particular taking place on the clock head of the Umbra Cock Tower. The captured fighter was decorated with black locks slithering like snakes, markings on her outfit decorated with the undead, and slited eyes of sickly gold that could turn anyone into stone with a single stare.

"Give up, boy!" the captured fighter snarled, her legs glowing with magical circles as she slid forward into a heel kick. "You have no power against us! You're just a simple high school student!" The Bayonetta Primary ascended into the air, raising her hands as she summoned pillars of darkness at the most random places around the stage. Joker slipped his mask back onto his face, dashing around and attempting to avoid the pillars of darkness ejecting out from the stone. Pulling out his grappling hook, the Phantom Thief wrapped the tip around the Bayonetta Primary's leg when she was at her most vulnerable, throwing her onto the stage until the impact was so great it shattered the glass concealing the large clock behind it.


"It doesn't matter how much power your leaders have over us, or how much fear you can bring out," Byleth sighed, walking over to the grounded Palutena Primary. In fear, the captured fighter got up and pulled out her staff, unleashing Autoreticle on the professor. Byleth began deflecting the Palutena Primary's Autoreticle move with the Areadbhar, still approaching closer.


"The story may end with you guys winning, and you may knock us down, but we'll always get back up again," Joker spoke, pulling off his mask to summon Arsene after a certain cooldown. Unaware of what was going on, the Bayonetta Primary pulled out her Love is Blue guns and began shooting. The Phantom Thief used his Rebel's Gauge with Arsene out, deflecting the magical bullets with Makarakarn as he walked closer.


"Time and time again, we will continue fighting for what's right," Byleth continued, shielding against the Palutena Primary's Explosive Flame move. As soon as the move was over, the professor walked closer, the limp Sword of the Creator dragging behind him. The professor began to glow with a rainbow aura and golden eyes, with the clear blue sky growing darker.


"And let's face it: you're outnumbered. Both the light and the darkness don't stand a chance against us," Joker went on, unleashing Tetrakarn upon the Bayonetta Primary when she used Heel Slide. The Phantom Thief began to glow too, but not from his Persona Arsene. In fact, the darkening of the sky and the glowing rainbow aura and golden eyes spelled danger for the captured fighter.


"How come, you may ask yourself?" Byleth asked, his voice distorted as he lashed his enhanced Sword of the Creator at the Palutena Primary.

The professor's hair began to turn a light green, mainly as a sign that the goddess Sothis fused with him and pushed his powers to the limit. A fiery background and an image depicting the young-appearing goddess herself flowed behind him as the last of Galeem's Primaries began to feel true fear.


"It's quite simple, really. But you guys just don't get it," Joker spoke, dashing straight ahead and ramming into the Bayonetta Primary.

The sky turned a dense red, and the Phantom Thief jumped into the air to join up with the other members of his old group somehow: Morgana as Mona, Ryuji Sakamoto as Skull, Ann Takamaki as Panther, Yusuke Kitagawa as Fox, Makoto Niijima as Queen, Futaba Sakura as Oracle, Haru Okumura as Noir, Goro Akechi as Crow, and the latest member of the Phantom Thieves – Sumire Yoshizawa as Violet.


"WE ARE THE SUPER SMASH BROTHERS!" both fighters shouted in different places at the same time, with Byleth whipping the Sword of the Creator in full force straight at the Palutena Primary and Joker teaming up with the Phantom Thieves to deal a series a blows against the Bayonetta Primary. In the end, both the Primaries were defeated in the victories of Joker and Byleth, making Palutena and Bayonetta the last fighters to be rescued from Galeem and Dharkon.


A tired Sonic the Hedgehog was busy waiting it out as Infinite and Sephiroth were catching their breaths. Neither of them had been successful in trying to attack each other and a speedy ball of quills at the same time, and they could only do one over the other.

"It seems as though we're equally matched," Infinite sighed, taking off his metallic mask midair to expose his true face. The hidden appearance the jackal kept underneath all this time was a medium-long nuzzle with noticeable fangs and small tufts. The eyes he had were mismatched, blue on his right side and yellow on his left. There was also a reason why he was hiding that mask. The scar covering that blue eye of his was only a scratch compared to what a year's worth of wounds did to mutilate his face. These markings were from Shadow the Hedgehog, and they clearly showed. Cracked lips, deep disfigurements that cut deep into his black-and-white fur and skin, the blue in his eye fading into white to reveal he was half-blind all this time. The feelings the jackal revealed through his scars were indescribable and sickly to look at. Sonic felt like he was about to barf just by looking at the infected face. He had heard Shadow talk about how he brought down Infinite by disfiguring him, but he didn't talk about how descriptive. Now he wished whatever was hidden beneath the mask was up to his imagination. Even Sephiroth looked a bit surprised at seeing Infinite for the first time without a mask.

"When Dr. Eggman hired me in payment of money, I had no idea of the one who would mutilate me," Infinite answered. "He called me weak and left me to die by the wounds he inflicted on me. That was when the feeling of being damned and worthless hit me. I had to cast aside my childish wishes and open up my eyes. By fusing the Phantom Ruby prototype to my chest, I took on a new identity. I became… Infinite." The one-winged angel looked at Infinite for a long while, almost as if he felt the same in some way.

"I know how you feel," Sephiroth responded. "I had no knowledge of my origins when I was assigned as a SOLDIER. Now I know I'm the product of the Shinra Cooperation by having the cells of some ancient alien named Jenova when I was just a fetus. I hadn't discovered it until arriving in Nibelheim, where I learned about my mother and follow in her footsteps of what she would've done 2,000 years ago: conquer the Planet for herself. Now I know that never turned out to be. Where have the years gone? We were just Spirits a decade ago, trapped within the bodies of our mortal enemies."

"And yet I was fused with the body of the Pokémon Mewtwo, to which your discovery of the Shadow Synergy Stone brought a second chance for Shadow Bugs to be born into Arcadia ages ago," Infinite responded. "Perhaps… we can come to an agreement. If we turn against our leaders and work together, we can free everyone on this planet. Maybe then we may meet again when the stars align to turn the tide."

"I agree," Sephiroth spoke. The two bosses looked at Sonic, noticing how he was all alone once they saw Link drag Cloud's unconscious body up the crystal ground. "I suppose we can come to an agreement. That little blue rat was the only one of his friends to survive the transformation of a trophy, and now he's one of many destined to take down the two cosmic horrors that threaten each other with death. They cannot progress unless we ourselves are defeated, and they have already learned the truth about Galeem and Dharkon."

"So… once the both of us are gone, our leaders will send out the original Master Hand and Crazy Hand, believing them to be the most powerful in their Hand armies?" Infinite asked. "If that's the case, then I suppose we should get this over with." Infinite slipped the mask back on his disfigured face, pulling out a sword made out of pure garnet. The masked jackal looked Sephiroth, and the one-winged angel nodded with certainty, knowing this was the only way to establish freedom among everyone on Arcus. The two bosses stabbed each other in the chest with their respected blades, exploding in multiple colors upon defeat. The two bosses vanished without a trace, leaving the blue hedgehog completely confused and open-mouthed. Just then, the two vortexes of light and darkness opened, with Byleth carrying Palutena's body and Joker carrying Bayonetta's body. Kirby peaked out from on top of the high ground, watching as the last two Master Legendary Spirits and the Shattered Locks merged into one glowing-pink entity and quickly entered Kirby's body. This appeared to be the last vision.


Kirby started to wake up the moment Tabuu was first defeated in Subspace. The Construct God's wings began to shatter, and the entirety of the Great Maze began to shrink. Due to the vast number of Subspace Bombs exploding at the Isle of the Ancients, there was no way for the island to return back to Arcadia, and there instead appeared a glowing X in the darkened sky. This provided a chance for the fighters to return to Subspace, and Kirby was one of them.

"No wait! Come back!" Tabuu groaned, flinching the more the certain locations blown up by the Subspace Bombs were restored. "The determination! I need it!" As the Smashers who vanished through the golden X reappeared back in Arcadia, Kirby looked back at the weakened Tabuu. The pink puffball grew curious about the strange entity, wondering if Tabuu really was the bad guy. Kirby began to remember what happened back then, and even then, there was nothing he could do once Sonic dashed in and picked him up.

"We have to get out of here!" Sonic spoke as he carried Kirby to the glowing X in the sky. As soon as all the fighters vanished through the circle, the determination within the Great Maze escaped through the shrinking landscapes. Tabuu couldn't hold to a single one of them before they all vanished from his clutches. The air grew darker around him, possibly as a lasting impact from the fighters. Once again, he felt empty in the cold death of Subspace. As soon as the glow in his butterfly wings was restored, Tabuu started to regain conscious. The Crazy Hand tethered by the Chains of Darkness broke free of his restraints, leaving the God of Construction alone as he disappeared in the shadow of his brother.

"…Why did you abandon me at my most-needed hour?" Tabuu asked the Master Hand, whom he sensed was right behind him. "We were this close to protecting this realm, and I failed. It was all thanks to the blue hedgehog you couldn't constraint."

"He was slippery like oil. A… rather fast creature, to be precise," the Master Hand responded. "Besides, the Crazy Hand and I had been kept in your clutches for far too long. It was time we finally revolted." Tabuu then began to remember the promise he made to lock Galeem and Dharkon forever. The Chains of Light and Darkness began to glow on his wrists, signifying there were big changes to this world… both in Arcadia and outer space.

"Master Hand… do you mind if you serve me again?" Tabuu asked, turning towards the Master Hand. "I think I know of a way to re-obtain all the determination I lost. It may take years until the Subspace Army becomes a threat once more, but we will reemerge from the shadows once again."

"But why push yourself to the brink of attacking by violence?" the Master Hand asked. "They won't listen to you anyway…" Tabuu levitated towards the Hand of Creation, stroking the soft white silk making up the glove.

"I know of the hidden power you hide underneath," Tabuu spoke. "I see it as an alternate source of determination… which could be what you need to fuse this stone to a potential fighter. It doesn't matter who. Just fuse it to someone." In the Construct God's hands laid a glimmering stone of black and orange: the exact same stone that was fused to Mewtwo.

"I told you I always have backup plans," Tabuu continued. "With the Core within you, you will carry on the task of rebuilding the Subspace Army. There are plenty of Shadow Bugs trapped outside my realm, waiting for a day to rise up once more. Hopefully by then, we may find the one who had corrupted the Dragon King. All you have to do is play along with your capture." The Master Hand took the Shadow Synergy Stone willingly from Tabuu's hands, warping out of the place with content. Tabuu looked at the glowing chains wrapped around his wrists and ankles, watching them flicker in and out.

"It will take ten years, give or take," Tabuu sighed, grabbing ahold of the Chains of Light binding his left side. He knows there are plenty more fighters chosen by the Smash Balls, unaware of their true purpose and unfound in countless universes. Everyone knows that the darkness is the enemy, the embodiment of fear and despair. But what if said fear and despair was transferred to the other side: light? After all, it would throw everyone off-guard if the light turned against them, showing that the one thing we commonly view as peace and prosperity isn't always by our side. It was something to go off against common knowledge. Without thinking, Tabuu used his powers to make the Chains of Light and Darkness glow brightly before turning invisible, giving him a sign of things to come.

"Here we go," Tabuu finished, folding his arms across his chest. Soon, streams of light and darkness began swirling around Kirby, funneling straight into the stone he was forced to cough out. The Diamond of Universes glimmered in multiple colors alongside the Smash Ball on Kirby's forehead. The jewel split itself into the ten stones it was composed out of, all of them surrounding the Core of the First Star. There were symbols glistening on the stones surrounding Adstrumlestibus, each one of them giving out a different meaning.

The Fire Ruby bore a symbol of strength, which flowed like the burning flames within ready to be utilized as a powerful weapon. The Earth Citrine's symbol was decorated with stones, metals, and gems aged with wisdom, telling stories from the dawn of time. The Thunder Heliodor had a symbol that flickered with speed, present anywhere and anytime in the span of a few short milliseconds. The Life Emerald blossomed with the symbol of courage, with the leaves brave enough to grow and stretch up to feed off more of the light it so wishes to consume. The Air Topaz's symbol was graced with loyalty, who never leaves the sides of those who depend on it. The Water Sapphire has a symbol of flowing waves as calm as forgiveness, which heals friendships and repairs the mental insecurities of others. The symbol of the Magic Amythest flashed as bright as a midnight star, representing teamwork and everything connected within it.

The Darkness of Hycto bore a symbol that was loosely based off Dharkon's current appearance, except it bore freedom within the chaos. Same went for the Light of Helio, with a symbol of its wings outstretched across a gleam of light, satirized by Galeem who refused to see the peace within. The symbols flashed in the different colors corresponding with the elements they represented. Each one of these elements swirled around the Core of the First Star, generating a light clear enough for the pink puffball to see. Upon re-fusing back together, the ten stones in the form of the Diamond of Universes got rid of the background surrounding the pink puffball, dissolving the background until he was back in Arcus with light and darkness fighting one another.

The Smashers that were out of the lower ground levels looked up to see Kirby and the stone slowly float down in a rainbow aura, with Byleth and Joker catching the radiant energy just in time. The pink demon touched the ground, slightly surprised that the Smash Ball on his forehead vanished, and the Diamond of Universes was outside his body. The jewel floated into Ragnarokk's hands, and the brown-skinned woman was eager enough to place the stone inside her locket. Her eyes flashed with multiple colors, fully restoring her memories. Palutena and Bayonetta woke up just in time to see the event happening, the both of them wondering how long they had been out as they squirmed out of Byleth and Joker respectfully.

"Kirby… thank you for bringing me back to who I was," Ragnarokk spoke to Kirby, kneeling down so that she was close to the pink puffball. She then looked at the other fighters, surprised at how many there were now.

"And from the bottom of my heart, I thank all of you," Ragnarokk continued. "Who would've thought the Locks binding different Spirits to your bodies would be the Smash Balls to restore who I once was in terms of memory?"

"I guess no one would've seen that coming," Ken responded.

"Wait, wait," Palutena objected, still feeling nauseous after being rescued. "Pray tell what's going on right now."

"Lady Palutena!" Pit gasped in sudden realization, running towards the Goddess of Light and hugging her. "I'm so glad to be a part of your servitude once more!"

"In all honesty, what's going on right now?" Bayonetta asked. "Why are the light and darkness… attacking each other?" Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, PAC-MAN, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Simon, Richter, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Terry all pointed north, and Bayonetta turned around to look far into the distance to see Galeem and Dharkon fighting each other.

"Oh my," the Umbra Witch gasped in shock. "Looks like you're trying to keep the balance between light and dark."

"Yeah, except both sides wanna kill us in the process," Sonic answered. "The stakes are already as high as it is… speaking of which: Shulk! How many futures do we have left?"

"Why… that's an interesting question," the Hom answered. He pulled out the Monado Blade, his eyes gleaming blue as he looked through different futures. Shulk then put away his mechanical sword, looking at the other fighters with anticipation.

"Since we've made it this far, it looks like we're down to three futures: either the light wins, the darkness wins, or we all return home," Shulk answered. The Smashers cheered in relief and progress, knowing that the third option was the only way if they don't lose.

"Looks like by that point, failure is not an option," Ragnarokk sighed. "It might truly be game over if you guys lose…" Kirby looked at the woman he grew close with in the short period of time he was around. The pink puffball looked at the friends he had re-gathered to his side, plus some additional newcomers that were in the same situation as him, if not longer. Once, he was all alone in a world far beyond his understanding. But as he began to save the other fighters, he began to restore the memories of their homeworlds, including his own.

Now he was no longer the last fighter in existence, for all the friends he made, whether for good or for evil, were brought back. However, the peace did not last long as Ragnarokk suddenly saw a shadow drifting towards Kirby. It was growing larger, revealing it to be the shape of a Master Hand, except he had some sort of golden aura. It seemed as though the Hand had his fingers spread open, almost as if he was trying to grab Kirby.

"Get back!" Ragnarokk warned Kirby, pulling out her sword and getting in front of the pink puffball the second the Master Hand was about to grab him. The brown-skinned woman was taken by the original Master Hand and carried in the air high up north past the Legacy, much to the surprise of the other fighters.

"We have to save her!" Mario told the Super Smash Brothers. "Come on!" The red plumber dashed forward, not losing his eyes on the golden Master Hand. The other fighters followed him as an attempt to rescue the mind and conscious of Ultima.

Chapter 90: The Final Battle - Part 3

Summary:

As the Dragon Arc draws to a close, the Super Smash Brothers approach Galeem and Dharkon with the fate of the multiverse at the stake, ready to give the seraphim what they deserve.

Chapter Text

Ragnarokk struggled in the tight grip of the Arcadian Master Hand, trying to grab the dragon-tooth weapon attached to her waist. This proved futile considering how the Hand of Creation kept his grip tight as he flew up north. The brown-skinned dragon warrior tried to pull herself out, instantly recognizing the Master Hand with the golden aura as her old mentor Sozo.

"Sozo!" Ragnarokk shouted. "It's me! Ultima! Well, her mind and soul anyway. Don't you recognize me? Don't you recognize my voice?" The Master Hand, upon hearing the voice of the human form of the Goddess of Oblivion, for a moment felt freedom. Memories began to flood back to him, even though they were merely just glimpses of images. The images themselves were nothing more than a blur thanks to Galeem's brainwashing having severely affected him, but there was a small sign of coming back to his senses as his hold on Ragnarokk slightly loosened.

Maniacal laughter rang out from the darkness on the planet, and a Crazy Hand rammed into Sozo like a drunk truck driver hitting a monorail train at max speed. The impact was so great that Ragnarokk was knocked out of the Master Hand's grip. She was suspended in the air for a split second to catch a glimpse of the Crazy Hand who attacked Sozo. The Crazy Hand just so happened to have a violet aura apart from the others, unexpectedly reuniting her with a familiar appearance.

"Hakai!" Ragnarokk gasped. However, before she could react, the Master Hand snapped his fingers shortly before grabbing the black-haired warrior and burying her deep into a landmass he spawned out of nowhere. When Ultima looked around, she saw the monochromatic futuristic ground of the Final Destination burying her up to her waist. All she could do was watch as the two Hands recklessly attacked each other, the both of them controlled by their individual captors so greatly they couldn't even recognize each other anymore.

The Master Hand began shooting finger bullets, proving ineffective against the Crazy Hand as aura-based projectiles emerged from his five digits, circling around himself. A brainwashed Sozo danced around the aura balls, grabbing ahold of Hakai and wrestling him into the ground, right near the spot where Ragnarokk was buried in.

Using her earth abilities, the Goddess of Oblivion pulled herself out of the ground with ease. She unsheathed her sword, letting it glow with raw magic as she watched the Hands tackle each other blindly. Sozo and Hakai weren't controlled by Galeem and Dharkon because of reasons related to power. They were driven mad by common instinct, believing that one side can overthrow the other without any lasting consequences.

"Sozo! Hakai! Please stop fighting!" Ragnarokk shouted, avoiding the constant lasers and projectiles flying her way. The Crazy Hand quickly extended his index finger at the warrior, coated with ice that would've frozen her if she didn't dodge in time. She knew even though the light and the darkness were mortal enemies, they did share the same enemy. However, they would often target each other due to the natural instinct given to them.

"I don't want to fight you!" Ragnarokk shouted, using her brute strength to knock back two spiked balls two-thirds of her side. Those spiked balls were from the Master Hand, by which he was targeting the Crazy Hand. Hakai then began unleashing powerful black holes from the snap of his fingers, and Sozo responded to it by sending dancing rings of light. Not taking the pressure any longer, Ragnarokk split herself into two clones, each one of them zipping up to the Hands as fast as a lightning bolt and bearing a strike as equally impressive to match.

"You two need to cut it out!" Ragnarokk's voice shouted from the two clones, each one of them slicing deep into the glistening silk of each one. Both the Master Hand and the Crazy Hand growled in pain, and Ragnarokk quickly reverted back to normal on the Final Destination stage to watch the chaos unfold. Sozo and Hakai wreathed in pain and slipping sanity as the silk covering their bodies began to shed off. The bones in their fingers were cracking like dry sticks, with their innards twisting like ground meat within.

Swarms of black mist emerged from the shattered silk, breaking free from being encased within the Master Hand and Crazy Hand after a long period of time. Sozo's cloud of darkness was tainted with golden specks, while Hakai's swarm had a violet tint within them, allowed Ragnarokk to tell which is which.

Still driven by the commands of their respected leaders, the swarms clashed into one another, unaware of waves of shadow pouring over one another and drowning out the golden and violet specks. The two shapeless entities who were once the Hands Ragnarokk came to identify them by seemed to merge with one another, the both of them still determined to blind one side with the other. They began to twist together, transforming into an amalgamate of sorts that hated itself without a single trace of mercy or sanity. One of the first forms this new creature took seemed to tower above the stage like a giant, clawing at itself as the two beings fought for control in this new form. Ragnarokk's face went pale as the creature began moving its arms around, trying to hit the blade-wielding warrior as she danced around the swinging limbs.

The giant quickly slashed its arm across the stage, creating a flash of light that significantly knocked back Ragnarokk. Terrified by what she had done to get herself in this situation, Ragnarokk unleashed a powerful fireball at the giant. The titanic creature growled as pieces of itself flew onto the Final Destination stage. The pieces of gold and violet seemed to attach themselves to the bits of the two swarms, by which Ragnarokk noticed.

"Sozo… Hakai… do you remember me?" the human Goddess of Oblivion asked, losing her balance once the giant thrusted the stage upward, sending six electrical orbs in her way at the exact same time. The giant began to claw at itself, tearing off more pieces of the swarms that have brought this monstrosity into existence.

"Please stop!" Ragnarokk snapped. "This isn't you! You are not mindless servants to Galeem and Dharkon!" Without thinking, the warrior stepped on one of the gold pieces, shattering it into a mist of its color. The pieces of the swarm fused to it flew away from the giant, forming into a tiny ball that gleamed with a faint bit of light.

A curious Ragnarokk stepped on a violet piece on the ground, and the pieces of the swarm attached to it went off the stage as well, creating another tiny entity that flashed with a little bit of darkness within it. Then, she knew what to do.

"Do you remember what you taught me? What you taught the Dragosmos of this realm?" Ragnarokk asked, zipping out with lightning speed into the air until she began to levitate ten feet off the ground in order to avoid the giant's vacuum mouth and unholy wail. Ragnarokk then summoned thorny vines from the stage, successfully impaling the giant and making it lose a lot of its body. The brown-skinned warrior sent forth a wave of lightning to destroy the golden and violet specks, freeing more of the swarm fused to the pieces and flying over to the two orbs in midair. The orbs of the freed swarm started to get larger, gaining more of an apparent shape for each one.

Just then, the impaled giant began fighting with itself again, with memories starting to become clearer and more animated. There was something involving with being the sons of a ruler over dragons, teaching students about a culture… things got fuzzy from there as the light and darkness assumed control once more.

The merged entity began transforming into a scorpion-like, quadrupedal beast with a large, unhinged jaw. Ragnarokk dashed toward the creature, instantly pulling up a wave of water the moment she spotted it generating lightning around itself through a violet bolt. She splashed it upon the beast, which electrocuted the creature and made it shed off more of its body. As Ragnarokk sent out a mist dense enough to shatter the gold and violet pieces below her feet, the beast jumped from its edge of the stage and came back with a bite on the other, powerful enough to tilt the stage towards its direction.

Spikes generated on the beast's body, which were tall enough to reach Ragnarokk in the air no matter how high she flew. One of the spikes sprung up right in front of her face, to which she broke it in half. The creature roared from the pain as though the spike was a part of its body, and it began shedding more of the swarms that composed it.

"I understand how painful this must be for you, but trust me when I say this: I'm trying to save you both!" Ragnarokk shouted, impaling the beast with the spike through the back. The beast roared in defeat, with the mist below Ragnarokk's feet shattering all the light and dark specks into golden and violet mists and freeing more of the swarms. The fused creature began to twist once more, transforming into five edges that behaved like floating swords.

Ragnarokk began to surround herself with icicles, flinging them straight at the edges as they charged up a powerful slash. The five blades emitted a brief flash of light that slashed across the entire stage, hitting the dragon warrior as a result. She quickly transformed into metal the second the edges approached her, slashing rapidly without knowing she was invincible through the whole duration of the move. She quickly slashed with her blade, which was coated in fire, and made the amalgamate shed more of the swarm mixed with the golden and violet particles attached to the black pieces of the swarms. The mist accompanying Ragnarokk went to work shattering the colored pieces while she kept attacking the edges.

As the edges sent out a series of spinning projectiles, the memories Ragnarokk was trying to get through to them became clearer. The corrupted Hands began to remember they weren't always in this form. The memories of the Dragon Clan and the events before that were flickering in and out rapidly, but they were starting to remember again. Galeem's and Dharkon's brainwashing took control once more, and now the edges were slashing across the stage one at a time, with the largest of the five slamming down in the center.

"It's time for you two to wake up!" Ragnarokk shouted, transforming her dragon-tooth sword into a magic-powered axe, and she struck down all five of the blades in lightning speed. In roars of defeat, the edges unleashed whatever swarms were making the three forms it had. Loads of the swarms mixed with the golden and violet particles were vomited out of the merged entity, with the mist beside Ragnarokk attacking all of the specks and freeing more of the swarms from Galeem and Dharkon's control. The swarms merged with the two balls, taking on more shape reminiscent of the Master Hand and Crazy Hand but lacking the silk that made their bodies. In fact, they were shifting between their cursed form and draconic form.

Soon, all of the swarm from the merged entity left behind some sort of core that looked like the Smash Ball but glowed with the golden color of Galeem's light and the violet color of Dharkon's darkness beneath its glassy surface. Ragnarokk pulled out her sword and began attacking the core, its electrical powers destroying the golden and violet specks the second they were released.

Through each slash and restoration of the swarms, Sozo and Hakai began to remember more about their past. They remembered the face of their own father Lord Ceresor, the wars they went through to establish peace between worlds, the scars they earned, the wings and family they lost… they began to remember more and regain their original draconic forms the more of the cleansed swarms that core of theirs shed. As Ragnarokk attacked the core more, its smooth surface began to crack, causing her to launch it farther from the stage before it drifted back to the center.

Eventually, she slashed at the core so hard it shattered into multiple pieces, with the golden and violet specks shattering as the bodies of Sozo and Hakai were restored back to their full draconic forms, scales and all. But there was one problem. Two, to be precise. Because the two dragons were transformed in their current appearance, they didn't have the wings that were ripped from their bodies thanks to Galleom, so now their unconscious bodies were falling from the sky. The stage Ragnarokk was standing on seemed to vanish into mist, and now she was falling too. Thankfully, she had her powers to back her up, and she was now blasting through the air through fire blasts protruding from her hands and feet. With her powerful strength, she grabbed ahold of the tails of her mentors, holding onto them tight as she tried to slow down the landing. Eventually, Ragnarokk successfully managed to get Sozo and Hakai to the crystalline ground, gently placing their knocked-out bodies down. The Super Smash Brothers arrived in time out of nowhere, having just followed Ragnarokk far up north.

"Ragnarokk!" Corrin shouted. "We were so worried about you! Are you okay?"

"Yes, I am," Ragnarokk sighed, knowing she was in good company. "And look who I found." The fighters looked to where the human Goddess of Oblivion pointed out to, revealing the two general dragons from thousands of years ago. The both of them had the armor they once bore, as well as only one wing with a hand-shaped scar on each of their bodies. Sozo was the first to open up his golden eyes, waking up in a realm of no familiarity. The same went for Hakai.

"Where… where am I?" Sozo asked himself, sitting up and looking around. "Hakai?" His brother looked around this new planet with violet eyes.

"Sozo!" Hakai sighed in relief, letting his brother nuzzle into his chest as a sign of comfort. "Hope you didn't miss me."

"Miss you? I had been impatient for you to return so much I became sick from having to wait!" Sozo answered. The two one-winged dragons looked back at Ragnarokk and the fighters, slowly starting to become aware they were important for the mission. They looked at the brown-skinned warrior, wondering who she was.

"Finally," Ragnarokk sighed. "I thought we were never gonna get you guys back…"

"Ultima?" Sozo asked, starting to interpret the Goddess of Oblivion's voice as familiar. "Whatever… happened to you?"

"It's a long story," Ragnarokk answered. "Basically, I was split from Tabuu and need to fuse with him by help of the Diamond of Universes. Do you know where I can find him?"

"We… don't know," Hakai answered. "It's been so long ever since we've been dragons. I don't even know if I can recall any memories of when I was a Crazy Hand." Mario stepped up to the two dragons, taking off his red cap.

"Hello," Mario introduced. "It's-a me, Mario. I'm… one of the warriors you summoned a long time ago. We all are, and the people you see right in front of you are who you called here." Sozo and Hakai looked at the Smashers, wondering what they were all doing here.

"Now it's starting to come back to us," Sozo remembered. "You all were called here for a greater purpose, from what we've learned, with your trophy transformations temporarily disabled after Tabuu's defeat." Joker and the six survivors stepped in, walking up to the two dragons.

"I've seen a dragon before in my homeworld," Byleth spoke, rubbing the scales below Hakai's neck and hearing him purr. "My name's Byleth, professor of Garreg Mach Monastery. I take it you recognize us?"

"You must be the survivors, we presume," Sozo answered. "I suppose we never got a proper introduction ten years ago."

"Now then: these brave warriors have restored my memories, and I need to re-fuse with Tabuu and stop my brothers once and for all. Do you know where he could be?" Sozo and Hakai looked at each other, starting to remember something, almost as if everything was coming back to them.

"Lucky for you, we know just the place," Sozo answered, standing up and unfurling his wing. "While you were busy rescuing the last Primaries, we might have sensed another realm where the person you're looking for is. That realm is below the planet, and it may have the power to help us conquer both light and darkness."

"Can you take us there!?" Marth asked.

"We can open a fracture in the planet's crust, and upon neutralizing the light and darkness fueling Arcus we could significantly weaken Galeem and Dharkon," Sozo answered. "However, only those born on Arcus and not brought here though Smash Balls can enter."

"Why?" Meta Knight asked.

"A strong magic has grown beneath the crust, and not even you can survive underneath," Sozo answered. "It would be safer for us if the woman with Ultima's voice, my brother, and I were to enter."

"But… how are you gonna break that kind of fracture open?" King K. Rool asked.

"I think they can transform back to their Hand selves," Ragnarokk answered. "I figured since they're pretty much powerless in terms of strength and flight compared to Galeem and Phoenix, I thought after saving them they might have the ability to swap between forms… right? I've heard about how you can shift into different bodies on numerous occasions." The golden-eyed general looked at the other fighters, he and Hakai starting to think about the new trick they might preform now.

"Everyone, stand clear!" Sozo warned the fighters, who all backed up except for Ragnarokk. The golden-eyed general spread his right wing, concentrating his energy into transforming himself into the original Master Hand once again. The scar on his wing glowed a bright golden, letting his body shift into the form he took for thousands of years. The now-transformed Master Hand slammed down on the ground and created a crack in the ground. The fracture was small, but it was wide enough to let a rainbow of colors flow through. Hakai unfurled his left wing, and the hand-shaped scar on it flashed a bright purple. The violet-eyed general transformed back into the original Crazy Hand, and he floated into the air and finger-drilled back down upon the fracture. The widened fracture began leaking with color, with the radiant energy swirling around like cream mixed with coffee.

"I recommend you all head back to the Legacy and prepare for the final battle," Ragnarokk told the Smashers, enveloping every single one of them in a golden light and warping them back to the humungous gunship before she used her powers to transform into her true form: the glowing-golden woman the size of Tabuu with abstract bird wings and the violet eye in her chest. Her dragon-tooth blade received an overhaul in its original design: dual blades that looked like alien samurai swords with weird markings and such. She pointed her blades at the two Hands, and both Sozo and Hakai began rubbing each other's backs until their silky skin generated static electricity. They grabbed ahold of Ragnarokk's blades, charging them up to maximum power. She slammed the blades deep into the crack, widening it so that all three of them could jump in.

"You two take care stabilizing the light and darkness while I fight Tabuu," Ragnarokk told the Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Soon, all three of the powerful deities dived in, feeling powered up by the magic surrounding them. As though it was out of nowhere, the Master Hand and Crazy Hand arrived on another Final Destination stage. Light Puppets and Dark Puppets dropped in, each one based on a fighter rescued from either Galeem or Dharkon depending on who was their captor at the time of their reawakening. Puppets of Kirby and the seven survivors were absent considering how they… well, survived.

The Master Hand began tossing out rings of gold from a safe distance as the puppets attacked on another, while the Crazy Hand began walking around like a spider on the stage. The puppets themselves were weak enough to be knocked out in a few hits, but a large number of Light and Dark Puppets was dropping fast upon Sozo and Hakai, dealing plenty of damage to the transformed dragons. Regardless, the Hands did not flinch and kept on using their abilities to take down the puppets several at a time.


Ragnarokk appeared in a different part of the realm, spawning alone right behind who she was looking for all this time: Tabuu. The God of Construction kept his butterfly wings unfurled, keeping his back on his second half despite sensing her presence.

"I know why you're here," Tabuu spoke after a minute of silence. "You have finally come back after all this time… my Ragnarokk."

"It's nice to see you too," Ragnarokk answered, keeping the Diamond of Universes on her chest. "Looks like we'll finally become Ultima again. Now come on. Fuse with me." The golden goddess held out her stone in front of her body, to which Tabuu turned around and floated towards her. However, the Chains of Light and Darkness still binding him made it so that when Tabuu touched the stone, it burned his hand. Tabuu backed away in pain, by which Ragnarokk noticed.

"Oh yeah… the binds tethering you from the outside," Ragnarokk noted, comforting the Construct God. "Sozo and Hakai are with me, and they're neutralizing the light and the darkness. Hopefully those chains come off in time. Then we can hopefully re-fuse together."

"The re-fusion would not be that simple," Tabuu sighed. "We need the Super Smash Brothers to reawaken the Smash Balls within them and finally take down the Seraphim of Order and Chaos once and for all. And to do that, we need to trigger their inner instinct."

"We're not going to die, are we?" Ragnarokk asked in worry, wondering if this was all they were leading up to. "I mean: you haven't seen me after so long! I'll be damned if our brothers try to end our lives at the worst possible moment…"

"Think about it: you're putting the blame on us for not choosing to do something," Tabuu replied, watching as the chains around his wrists and ankles were beginning to fade upon the Master Hand and Crazy Hand taking out more of the puppets. "But it wasn't you fault. It wasn't our fault. Things sometimes happen not because of choice. Whatever your brothers did to end up as cosmic horrors had this happen to themselves. There was nothing we could do anyway… but we can inspire the other fighters to awaken their true potential." While Hakai and Sozo were taking down more of the Light and Dark Puppets, the chains binding Tabuu began to face away more, and the burn inflicted on the God of Construction began to drop by a degree.

"So… when the Super Smash Brothers get in trouble, we'll have to eventually step in their place, even if it means the end of our lives?"

"Suppose," Tabuu sighed. "After all, we probably wouldn't even be around by the time the fighters learn the truth. From what we've uncovered, we are just mere specks compared to the horror that awaits our companions. Galeem and Phoenix will only be a taste of what they'll face from now on. All we need to do… is prepare them for that day."

"Sooner or later?" Ragnarokk responded in the form of a question. Tabuu nodded, starting to feel the Chains of Light and Darkness loosen on him. While Ragnarokk was busy comforting Tabuu, the Master Hand and Crazy Hand formed together until they became the silhouette of a dog, "barking" until the last remaining puppets were knocked off the stage by the powerful bark soundwave.

A gleam of gold and violet glimmered on Tabuu's limbs. The burn smarting his hand was completely healed, and for once he felt lighter. He no longer felt like carrying the world's weight on his shoulders. He felt like he had the energy to move around and escape the realm of eternal darkness he was trapped in for so long. Is this what true freedom felt like? Upon this freedom, Tabuu gently held the Diamond of Universes in Ragnarokk's palms, feeling how cool the jewel was. The gemstone began to glow in radiant colors, to which the golden goddess began to feel complete as she hugged Tabuu in a caring manner. A bright golden light engulfed the two god-like beings as they felt their physical forms combine into one.


In another part of the dimension, Sozo and Hakai watched as the last Light and Dark Puppets left behind traces of a rainbow light, which grew brighter and seemed to push back against the two opposing forces. Both the light from Ragnarokk and Tabuu fusing by the power of the Diamond of Universes and the glowing essences of the puppets glowed into each other, expanding across the far reaches of the planet.

"We better get out of here," the Master Hand told his brother, teleporting close to the only way out to the surface.

"Right behind you!" the Crazy Hand answered as he also warped to the fracture. A glowing-rainbow light appeared from where Ragnarokk and Tabuu once were, spreading apart their prism of wings and taking flight out of the mysterious realm. Sozo and Hakai were the first to exit the fracture, transforming back into their draconic selves once they got close to the crystalline ground. As soon as the glowing draconic figure followed out behind them, the fracture grew wider, with crystals of black and white dissolving in the air as a golden aura quickly spread across the planet. Galeem and Dharkon high up in the air were too blind to even notice as usual.

Behind the dragon, a mist of darkness floated out of the growing fracture. Upon closer inspection, these were none other than the Shadow Bugs, and they were floating down south to the Super Smash Brothers.


Back on the Legacy, the other fighters have gathered all of the Mii Fighters onto the deck, waiting for a sign that Ragnarokk and the original Hands pulled through.

"I'm so nervous…" Isabelle trembled. "What if we die?"

"We're not gonna die," Joker answered, picking the assistant mayor up. "Don't be ridiculous, puppy. How many battles have we made it out alive?"

"Guys!" Zero Suit Samus called out to the fighters, alerting them to the side of the deck. The Smashers and a few Mii Fighters looked out to the side and saw the light and dark crystals decorating the planet vanish underneath a golden light. Even though the half-and-half sky didn't change, both light and darkness were conquered as the planet was restored to the appearance it had when dragons dominated it.

Mountains of a soft shade of golden-green stuck out of the landscape, with exotic, multicolored plants so foreign and mysterious words alone are not enough to describe their beauty and instead rely on the minds of others to picture what they looked like. A crystal-clear ocean spawned underneath the seraphim and the other Hands in the distance, with floating islands of black crystalline and mechanical elements dominating underneath them, possibly as a result of conquering both light and darkness. A cream-colored sky with golden-peach clouds on Galeem's side on the right clashed with a fiery orange sky obstructed by dark blue clouds with stormy-red outline on the left.

Down on the lower and larger portions of these ancient futuristic islands, Light and Dark Puppets fought with each other. Like the seraphim and the Hands above, they too were blind in their determination. They were so focused in trying to take down the opposing side that they didn't even notice Sozo, Hakai, the Subspace Army, and the hidden figure flying out of the expanding crack.

The glowing figure stayed in the air for a while, and Sozo and Hakai soared to the Legacy in their Hand forms. After transforming back to normal, the two Dragosmo generals looked at the Mii Fighters gathered upon the ship, and the Miis were just as confused as the draconic figures. Slid, upon realizing this, zipped between the two brothers and introduced the Miis to the dragons.

"I figured you guys haven't met each other, not really counting your ex-leaders since we know they've already met these two," Sonic told the Mii Fighter army. "These are the true forms of the Arcadian Master Hand and Crazy Hand: Sozo and Hakai initially. I… take it you two dragons remember encountering the Mii Fighters' ancestors?"

"Of course we have," Sozo answered. "We clearly don't mind their… fashion choices."

"Mario looked up into the sky, surprised to see the Subspace Army soaring right towards the Legacy in a dark violet cloud. The Shadow Bugs rained down upon the deck, forming into the Primids and Subspace creatures – with versions of both the First Subspace War and the Second Subspace War present. Upon anger for attacking them in the past, some of the fighters like Chrom and Lucas pulled out their weapons. However, the Subspace Army did not attack, and instead the other fighters that grew closest to those fighters held them back.

"Looks like they're here for the same reason we are," Simon told the Smashers. "Is that true?" The Primids, as though they understood, nodded as a response.

"About Ragnarokk… did she do what she had to do?" Robin asked, looking at the distance and spotting a glowing orb of light in the distance far from Galeem and Dharkon.

"Let's hope so," Sozo answered. "Looks like you all are ready."

"Do you think after this battle we can finally return home?" Link asked. "We can finally head back to the worlds and timelines we came from as though it never happened?"

"It might probably happen, and you could leave once the Spirits break free from the planet," Hakai answered, transforming into his Crazy Hand form. "I hope you have a plan."

"We do," Cloud Strife answered. "While the Mii Fighters and Subspace Army take care of the puppets, Ultima and you two will hold back the bosses while the rest of us confront Galeem and Phoenix." Sozo, upon getting the idea, transformed into the Master Hand, and the two dragons took off into the air towards the glowing figure who stretched their rainbow-prism wings.

"Alright," Sherry ordered the fighters. "Let's arm ourselves for war and get into our ships. Move out!" Sonic looked back on the glowing figure the Master Hand and Crazy Hand on their side were approaching, watching as said figure was shifting more into her draconic form and let out a ferocious roar.

"Something on your mind?" Fox asked, startling the blue hedgehog.

"It's nothing," Sonic answered, keeping eye contact on the Star Fox mercenary. "I'm just surprised at how fast time flew on this planet. Twenty years ago, I was just like one of you guys minus the vast knowledge of literally every universe in existence: another prisoner on an alien planet. Now we're in the middle of a full-blown war involving the fate of our universes. Who knows if my own home planet even exists anymore?"

"All that matters right now is saving our worlds," Fox spoke. "Now come with me. You'll be coming with me in my Arwing."

"I think I can use something else for transportation," Sonic responded. "I think…" When Fox heard that comment, he simply walked off to his ship hidden somewhere around the Legacy. Sonic began to feel the Legacy start to move out north towards the floating crystalline island battlefield. He began to hear the deafening roars of some of the ships flying overhead. Examples included a series of futuristic jets with sharp curves and titanium skin getting into formation. Shadow Bugs were attached at the bottom of the little spaceships, possibly as a means of dropping in on the enemy like aerial bombs. The Halberd, for whatever reason, was restored to its former glory, and its jet engines were loud enough to burst his sensitive eardrums if he was any closer to the ship itself. Other ships like the Falcon Flyer and the Hocotate ship soared through the air, floating near the Legacy. Kirby was on his Star Allies Sparkler, with the survivors riding on the back.

"The Chaos Emeralds… where are they?" Sonic muttered to himself as he reached behind his back to see if the seven mythical jewels were trapped somewhere in his blue quills.

"Looking for these?" Mega Man asked. When Sonic heard the android's voice, he turned around to see the blue bomber holding the Chaos Emeralds in his arms.

"Where did you get those?" Sonic asked, walking over to the humanoid robot to pick up the Chaos Emeralds.

"The Legacy stores treasures like these around the place," Mega Man answered. "I managed to stumble upon these and figured they belonged to you. Better get ready. Within a few minutes, we attack." As soon as the blue bomber walked away, Sonic automatically harnessed the raw energy of the Chaos Emeralds surrounding him, and he once again transformed into a Super version of himself before taking off into the sky. It only took a couple seconds before the Mii Fighters and Subspace Army troops on the Legacy piloted the humongous gunship up north towards the opposing forces of light and darkness, by which Sozo and Hakai accompanied Ultima as she fully transformed back to her draconic self.

High up in the air, the setting sun and rising moon combined their light on the two opposing sides and generated a pure beauty which was obstructed by the Master Hands and Crazy Hands attacking one another by command of their leaders. The Seraphim of Order and Chaos were shooting lasers of concentrated light and darkness at each other, not losing their deadly gaze on one another. They were not wasting their chance to blow off their lifelong hatred of the opposing side. They had grown mad thanks to their weak minds.

"I will purge every sin from the multiverse, even if it means burning away all these worlds to do so," Galeem snarled. "But most of all, my true purpose of order and perfection will come into play once I scorch your filthy face from every reality in existence… Dharkon!"

"You may try, Galeem," Dharkon growled, "But whatever you do, your light will eventually drown within the darkness, and there will soon be nothing but despair and chaos!" The Lord of Darkness charged up a powerful beam of darkness within his mouth and fired. Galeem did the same, except he fired a beam of light. Just when the two beams were about to collide with one another, an explosion of pure magic was fired between them, generating a blast so powerful it knocked back the seraphim. A familiar voice rang out in the air, giving Galeem and Dharkon a sense of familiarity.

"You two stop this right now!" the voice rang out. Galeem and Dharkon turned around to face the noise, and there they saw the royal empress armor decorating a scaly coat of midnight black complete with golden eyes and wings like prisms that exposed all the colors of the rainbow. Right next to her were Sozo and Hakai in their Hand forms on each side, making her look like she had literal hands. The sunlight and moonlight behind the forces of light and darkness shone upon Ultima and all the ships behind them.

"Look at who we have here," Dharkon chuckled. "Do you really think all the power you have in your fleets can stop what I have in store?"

"You're not taking any more freedom from us!" Super Sonic snapped, levitating next to the Crazy Hand. "And we're addressing this to the both of you!"

"Quite an impressive threat level you brought with you, sister!" Galeem scoffed, simply amused by the fact that his physical strength is all-powerful compared to the hundreds of fleet ships packed with a combined army. "If you really think you can stand up to my power, you are gravely mista-" Before Galeem would finish his sentence, Dharkon slashed one of his tendrils at the Seraph of Order, to which he quickly dodged the attack.

"So, you think you're smarter than me, taint?" Galeem snarled, spreading open his six wings. "Then let us finish this once and for all!" Galeem telepathically commanded his Master Hand army to charge right at the Legacy and the ships surrounding them. Dharkon did the same thing by roaring at the Crazy Hand army to attack. Soon, the two armies of Hands charged at the forces opposing them, pushing each other away to take down the enemy they shared. With a powerful roar, Ultima told the ships to fire with everything they've got, and both the Legacy and the Halberd began shooting lasers that mowed down the incoming Hands until there was nothing but golden and violet powder.

Ultima flew straight for Galeem and Dharkon while Sozo and Hakai dived down to the futuristic crystalline islands and began plowing through Light and Dark Puppets that charged straight for them with lasers emerging from their fingertips. Both the Halberd and the smaller ships that were not the titanium jets landed on the largest of the islands, with Sonic transforming back to normal after having drained the powers of the Chaos Emeralds and the Super Smash Brothers running into the battlefield as a few Dark and Light Puppets charged right at them.

Byleth, Pit, Dark Pit, Joker, the three Links, and Bayonetta began firing arrows and bullets, taking down the first few puppets while Bowser, Sonic, Wolf, King K. Rool, Ken, Clementine, the ex-Ultimates Reborn, and the others jumping above them and attacking plenty more of the puppets. The futuristic planes began firing lasers at a few of the corrupted Hands in the two armies while the Shadow Bugs rained down upon the False Characters. The Legacy got near the same island, dropping a bridge onto the crystalline ground while the Mii Fighters charged down towards the armies of light and darkness.

High above the air, upon a stage almost as large as the armies attacking down below, Galeem and Dharkon were wrestling each other with their colossal wings and tendrils, looking at each other in eternal wrath. Ultima rammed between the two coated in flames, pushing them apart from each other.

"How nice of you to join the party, sister!" Galeem snarled, cloning himself into three and spitting a barrage of fireballs at Ultima. The Queen of Arcus flew out of the way, letting Dharkon get hit in the process. Enraged, the Lord of Darkness transformed his tendrils into a mallet, flying straight at Galeem and whacking the Seraph of Order with it. Galeem teleported to another part of the stage, creating a cross net of lasers throughout the air. Dharkon was about to dodge the attacks, but Ultima pushed him into the attack by swinging her tail as though it was a barbed mace. As Dharkon was knocked onto the stage, he looked down upon the Super Smash Brothers, Mii Fighters, and Subspace Army pushing back against the Light Puppets and Dark Puppets with help from the original Master Hand and Crazy Hand. He noticed the aura from both of them was gone, meaning there was only one thing.

"Those traitors…" Dharkon snarled, standing up and cracking his neck as six orbs of darkness appeared behind him. The orbs slowly started to shift in shape, transforming into clones of Omega Flowey, Ganon the Demon King, Clubberskull, Dracula Vlad Tepes, Porky Minch, and Marx. The clones of the bosses that served him glared at Galeem with violet eyes and red auras. Galeem got the same idea, and six orbs of light flashed behind him. Clones of Petey Piranha, Galleom, Rayquaza, Giga Bowser, Duon, and Rathalos appeared by his side, which glowed with red eyes and white auras. The two teams of boss clones charged at each other, with Ultima avoiding the fire. The dragoness peaked over the stage, looking down upon Sozo and Hakai, who had transformed back into their draconic selves and began burning the puppet fighters.

"Sozo! Hakai!" Ultima called out, to which they could both hear her thanks to their keen hearing. "Galeem and Dharkon have got backup! You need to get them off the stage and let the Super Smash Brothers come up here! I can't do this without them!"

"You heard Her Majesty," Sozo told his brother, shifting back into the Master Hand. Hakai whacked a few more puppets off his back with his wing before transforming into the Crazy Hand, and the two warped onto the stage to where the ultimate fight was going on. While Ultima was busy attacking her brothers with boiling water mixed with lava, the twelve boss clones stopped their fighting and looked at the two Hands. They both snapped their fingers, generating a soundwave strong enough to startle the bosses before hitting each one of them with punches. Hakai and Sozo began moving around the certain projectiles sent from the bosses, like Galleom's missiles and Dracula's aura orbs, before holding each other and transforming into a powerful missile that knocked out all the bosses that could not fly. Only the clones of Marx, Dracula, Omega Flowey, Rayquaza, Rathalos, and Galleom putting as much fuel as he could into his thrusters managed to fly back to the stage while the other bosses held on tight to the crumbling platforms. Thankfully, it wasn't long before the combined missile of Sozo and Hakai made a U-turn after their first hit and pounded the floating bosses down one at a time.

All the commotion going on alerted Mario, who caught eye witness upon the battle going on up high. The red plumber knew the only three of the last dragons by their side needed their help, but there was a ton of puppets spawning onto the islands out of nowhere. Thankfully, all the Spirits they rescued emerged out of the Legacy in a spire of flame, diving down upon the puppets. The Normal types teamed up with the Mii Fighters and Subspace Army and began taking down plenty of the puppets. The Master Spirits, upon having no access to touching solid materials, quickly entered the bodies of other puppets considering they were just hollow shells for them to possess and show off their skills just fine.

"Link!" Mario called out to the Champion of Hyrule. "Get the other Smashers! The ex-Ultimates Reborn are coming with us too!" Link managed to whistle as loud as he could, alerting only a few of the fighters in the battlefield.

"We're going up!" Link yelled as loud as he could, calling out to more of his friends. "Follow us!" Link dashed ahead behind Mario, who began climbing up the crumbling platforms to the top. Kirby arrived too, with Fox, Marth, Sonic, Zelda, Ryu, and plenty more. Since they normally had the ability to fly, Dark Samus, Mewtwo, Meta Knight, Pit and Dark Pit with Palutena and her assistance with her Gift of Flight, the Pokémon Trainer on top of Charizard's back, Villager and Isabelle with balloons, Rosalina & Luma, Corrin in his dragon form, Bayonetta with Crow Within, Ridley, King K. Rool with his propeller pack, Joker with Arsene's Wings of Rebellion, and Hero with his Zoom spell all got a head start and flew straight for the topmost stage, avoiding all the attacks from the boss clones on the way up probably as a result of the only sane Hands helping them in the fight.

"Well this stinks," Ganondorf groaned, jumping upon the platforms one by one as a means to catch up with the other fighters.

"Relax, Ganondorf!" Sonic spoke with a cheerful attitude as he began avoiding Galleom's hand upon the climb. "If it's not for these bosses, this might be an awesome exercise! Nothing's more important than stretching your glutes!" The fighters continued their climb as the Master Hand and Crazy Hand began holding back Galleom and Ganon the Demon King with punches and magical finger blasts.

"Incoming!" Popo told the others, holding onto his partner Nana as they dropped down a few platforms to avoid a thorny vine emerging from Omega Flowey.

"Aw shit!" Ryu groaned upon encountering the terrifying creature once again in clone form. Terry Bogard jumped right in front of him and channeled his chi, slamming his burning fist into the monster's TV screen face with his signature Buster Wolf move. Rayquaza began soaring through different parts of the stage, tackling the Marx clone while destroying certain platforms. While the fighters were busy climbing up avoiding the attacks of the boss clones with help from the Dragosmo generals, Mewtwo appeared out of nowhere and abducted Clementine, warping her onto the topmost stage where the only fighters to make it onto the stage were helping Ultima attack both Galeem and Dharkon. The sky in the background was spinning around, but the cream-colored clouds were always clashing with the stormy-red skies.

"You went against the promise the three of us made together!" Ultima roared, teaming up with a draconic Corrin to spit boiling-hot water in Galeem's face while Dharkon danced around the stage coated in electricity with his tendrils drilling in front of him. While Mewtwo was busy teleporting certain fighters like R.O.B. and the Piranha Plant, some of the other Smashers successfully climbed onto the stage until everyone was here. Snake soared into the air holding on tight to his cypher, by which he began planting C4s on Dharkon's head.

The brief explosion coming from the C4s blinded Dharkon upon the point where Sonic the Hedgehog grabbed onto his neck and kicked him straight into Galeem, who was spitting out an orb of electricity which split into smaller versions of itself. Ness, Lucas, and Rosalina quickly absorbed some of the projectiles while others like Fox, King Dedede, Mii Gunner, Joker with Arsene, Mario, and Dr. Mario began reflecting the rest back.

Corrin transformed back into his humanoid form and teamed up with Byleth and Robin to tackle down Galeem while Ultima harnessed the power of the Diamond of Universes to send out powerful bolts of lightning at Dharkon.

"You see what these fighters you claim to be weak are doing?" Ultima asked as she was being hit around by Galeem's drilling wings and Dharkon's thorn spray. Eleven quickly got on top of the dragoness's back, healing her with one of his spells as best as he could before jumping back onto the stage and resuming the fight alongside his friends.

Byleth slammed the Aymr upon Galeem's head once the Lord of Light unleashed cross-shaped bombs that detonated across the stage. The dragon was knocked down onto the stage, leaving him wide open for attacks from Banjo & Kazooie, Falco, Ike, Kirby, and Sieg. Ultima was just about to impale a weakened Galeem with icicles surrounding her, but she was knocked down by Dharkon's tendril mallet.

"Everybody! Get out of the way!" Captain Falcon shouted upon Dharkon's mallet falling down upon Galeem. The bounty hunter quickly ran in and pushed his pals out of the way to avoid being crushed by the tightly-packed tentacles. Galeem, upon being hit by the mallet, pushed it away and growled with a malicious choir in tune with an angel's voice as he teleported to another part of the stage and continued fighting with Ultima while most of the fighters in the group attacked Dharkon.

"They're trying to sustain balance!" Ultima responded, holding on tight to her brother's fore claws about to scratch her face until she bled to death. "Whether good or evil, they're striving to do the right thing! You can change and fight back against the insanity controlling you! You and Dharkon can!" As soon as Dharkon was struck down by a lightning bolt from Pichu and Pikachu, the Seraph of Chaos landed on the stage with a heavy thud and left the Smashers to attack him.

Upon noticing that, Galeem trapped Ultima within a web of light that burned to the touched, and he transformed his wings into a spear that was just about ready to impale his brother. This time, the Smashers were just about ready for that kind of thing to happen again, and they quickly dodged Galeem's spear attack as it impaled the side of Phoenix's chest. The Lord of Darkness growled with a bellowing roar, soaring up into the sky and unleashing lightning from his mouth. It stretched across the stage, stunning all the fighters that were still touching the ground. Those with good jumps managed to get onto either Galeem or Dharkon, while the rest tried to break Ultima free of her light cage.

Cloud Strife held on tight to Galeem's horns, riding him like a bull into Dharkon's attack involving him ripping a hole into space and time with his tendrils. Cloud jumped off, and Galeem was caught in the initial attack as tendrils in different places thrusted right through him. Regardless, Galeem pulled through, and he began tackling Dharkon to the ground on the stage as he kept his guard up on the Smashers approaching them. Anyone who was going to use close-range combat was met with a golden fiery mouth.

"The Super Smash Brothers will pull through in this fight!" Ultima snapped, allowing the power of the Diamond of Universes on her chest to dissolve the light cage around her. "They may be weak at strength… but you two are the ones weak at heart." The dragoness charged right for her two brothers, with the additional damage dealt by the projectile users. She began to claw at their faces in midair, attacking them like some sort of ravenous wolf. Whether it was the darkness or light, Ultima began avoiding all of the projectiles from Galeem and Dharkon and striking back with a furious anger every chance she got. However, she left the rest to the Super Smash Brothers as they kept attacking the seraphim. What they didn't know was that Galeem was ready to unleash a special attack, as well as Dharkon.

The second all of the fighters in the group significantly weakened the draconic beings, Galeem surrounded himself with four orbs the colors of his eyes, which unleashed a powerful wave that stretched across the stage. Dharkon produced something similar to, except it was a wave of pure darkness as usual. It seemed as though this was their special attack, and they were both about to win over the fighters before going back to attacking each other again.

Thankfully, Ultima knew what was about to happen next to all the fighters. They would become like what had happened with the beams of light. Upon that, Ultima soared in-between the two incoming waves that would pretty much kill these chosen warriors. In an act of sacrifice, she took the blow. The dragoness let herself get hit by both waves at the same time, letting the Diamond of Universes absorb the rest. Before the Super Smash Brothers were hit by the waves, they suddenly noticed the waves vanished, and Ultima remained.

"Ultima!" Pit exclaimed, looking up to see the severely weakened dragoness that took the blow.

"What have you done!?" Ken asked in confusion. Ultima could feel all this raw energy spiraling out through her, smiling with a known fact that Galeem and Dharkon had weakened themselves more in physical strength. This was the moment of sacrifice her Tabuu self was talking about. The Diamond of Universes began to crack, showing this was a breaking point for the gemstone itself. The ten jewels that made this fusion of a gem could only stay together for so long. Sooner or later, the ten stones are going to separate and escape to other universes and different timelines. She knew for a fact that the Super Smash Brothers may even have far more power than her.

"Take care of the rest of the planet for me… will you?" Ultima weakly asked, turning towards the fighters on the stage. "You can manage the… rest on your own… as long as you are determined…" The dragoness looked at herself, watching the dust fade from her body. Sooner or later, she knew she may meet up with the Almighty Father, and she gave up her last breath in the welcoming arms of sweet release as her body faded into a white background. The Smashers watched as the Diamond of Universes ascended into the air, shattering into ten glowing pieces that vanished from Arcus, never to be seen again. Upon all that happening, Galeem and Dharkon simply brushed it off as a weird fever dream and continued fighting one another.

"We… lost Ultima?" Sonic asked, slumping on the ground in confusion. Kirby was just as terrified as the blue hedgehog, and the two of them hugged each other tenderly.

"No no no… this can't be happening!" Sheik pointed out. Most of the fighters on this team began to feel shocked by the even that happened before they were hit by literally every ounce of Galeem's and Dharkon's true powers, but they all felt some form of confusion, loss, grief, and relief. Relief that they may have had a far worse fate set in store for them.

"It seems as though Galeem and Dharkon aren't affected by the death of their sister in the slightest," Mario spoke, holding the empty locket in a small pile of ashes of what remained of Ultima. "It's blind determination, as always. They're not gonna stop fighting each other." The fighters slowly but surely bowed their heads in confused sorrow, uncertain of what to do next. However, someone within the group was breaking the golden silence on the stage with a song… on of which was Ultima's medley.

Colors weave into a spire of flame

The fighters turned around to face a grieving Sonic the Hedgehog, who was starting to feel compassion for Ultima for everything she had ever been through. And he was singing this song in memory of her.

Distance sparks call to a past still unnamed

Galeem and Dharkon slowly and eventually stopped attacking each other when they heard the blue hedgehog sing, and they listened with curiosity.

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Sonic sighed in grief, not saying another word… until Fox McCloud stepped beside him and began to finish the verse.

Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

Sonic looked up at the Star Fox mercenary, slightly surprised that even he was singing alongside him. The blue hedgehog slowly began to feel hope return to him once more as he stood up and continued to sing.

On that day, when the sky fell away

Our world came to an end

For the most current lyric, Pit and Dark Pit joined in with the singing, starting to feel a bit more hopeful in a time of need. Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf also participated.

In our eyes did a fading sunrise

In the dark, glimmering shadows

Bayonetta fired her Bullet Arts at Galeem's face before Dharkon's, hearing Roy, Peach, Daisy, and Lucina join in before it was slowly building up through the other fighters.

Silence grows in the space between

Stretching out beyond time

Rising up as a chorus of souls

Find a voice, flickering through the void

As a few more voices began to join in with the singing while attacking a confused Galeem and Dharkon to the point of irritation, only Donkey Kong, Dark Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Pichu, Mr. Game & Watch, Olimar, R.O.B., Villager, Greninja, PAC-MAN, Duck Hunt, Inkling, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant were the only ones unable to sing but were still filled with hope as the song went on.

These little sparks cling onto life

Everyone caught in the struggle

And then the storms of change, they fan the flames

Scattering ashes to the wind

Not taking the annoyance any longer, Galeem and Dharkon had decided to continue attacking each other despite having been weak in their powers now. They still saw the fighters as mere mosquitoes compared to the real fight. Regardless, throughout the song, the fighters that continued the song in their own voices began avoiding their attacks and kept on striking the two draconic figures.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Gleaming faintly as it dwindles from sight

No escape, no greater fate to be made

In the end, the chains of time will not break

Those that could not sing began to tackle the two dragons, dealing as many hits as they could before they got back up and began unleashing their tendrils and wings at each other as weapons.

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distance sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Search your soul and reawaken the undying light

Down on the crystalline islands, the Master Hand and Crazy Hand armies were starting to weaken, possibly as a result of their leaders losing, which allowed a few Mii Fighters and Subspace creatures to tackle down one or two at a time. The dwindling number of Light Puppets and Dark Puppets as a result was increasing faster, and the original Master Hand and Crazy Hand could not hold the boss clones off from the topmost stage any longer with their attacks. Regardless, they began to hear bits of the song and kept moving forward.

As fate spins, a thread without end

New life draws its first breath

Blossoming, in a soil reclaimed from the past

Where destiny holds fast

As for the fighters themselves, they kept on dodging the attacks from the two seraphic dragons and landing their hits, filled with hope that they can accomplish victory like this. From nets of light to tendrils appearing in different parts of the stage through portals, they were starting to get through it all.

Here where we stand, hand clenched in hand

Everyone caught in the struggle

This is the day we finally find our way

Stepping into our tomorrow

As the Smashers kept on fighting against two blind idiot brothers, their determination to attack grew only stronger. As a result, Galeem and Dharkon began to show signs of fear from evidence of them teleporting around the stage, leaving behind cross bombs and X bombs wherever they go.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Growing louder as it calls to unite

From the distance sings a chorus of souls

Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distance sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

As though they were quick reflexes, Galeem and Dharkon unleashed powerful beams at the fighters, hoping this time they would be gone for good. However, the setting sun and the rising moon dimmed their lights down to make way for a new kind of aura. The two dragons suddenly became terrified by the new kind of transformation that was revealed on one of the first fighters in the group: Mario. The red plumber was the first to receive a rainbow aura and golden eyes: pretty much a sign that a Final Smash has been placed on hold.

"What the-!?" Galeem asked. "How is this even possible!?"

"In order to summon a Smash Ball, you need to bring it in through sheer power!" Dharkon responded in fear in his otherwise usual grimdark tone. "Fear is what drives all these universes around!"

"But you are wrong about one thing," Mario answered in a vibrant echo within his voice.

"Determination doesn't come through power and fear," Marth spoke for Mario, also bearing the rainbow aura and golden eyes.

"It comes from strength," Cloud said, transforming as well. "Not just from physical abilities of the body but from the health of mind as well."

"It comes from wisdom," Zelda noted.

"It comes from speed," Sonic remarked. "Speed that you would be using to protect your friends by choice of free will."

"It comes from courage," Link continued.

"It comes from loyalty," Joker added.

"It comes from forgiveness," Fox piled on.

"And most important of all… it comes from teamwork," Banjo noted.

"Because that's what makes us… the Super Smash Brothers," Terry finished. Soon enough, all of the fighters in the group began to glow with the aura of the Smash Balls within them, unleashing their Final Smashes upon Galeem and Dharkon while they sang the last verses of Ultima's song.

Every soul contains a whisper of light

Growing louder as it calls to unite

From the distance sings a chorus of souls

Rising slowly, stirring heat from the coals

Colors weave into a spire of flame

Distance sparks call to a past still unnamed

Bear this torch against the cold of the night

Light will guide you on your way to the ultimate fight

All these Final Smashes. All these powerful moves occurring at the same time. All being inflicted upon the seraphic beings who got what they deserved. There wasn't any other punishment worthy for all they've done. With the Mario Finale, the Mighty Jinjonator, Grand Cross, Triforce Slash, and many more, both the Lord of Light and the Lord of Darkness felt deadly blows from left to right. Soon enough, the light and darkness within the sky began to merge, into a faint orange, and the setting sun graced the seaside.

Upon defeat, all of the Master Hands and Crazy Hands that weren't Sozo or Hakai began to break apart in Swarms of their own, fading away into clouds of dust. The same thing happened for the Light and Dark Puppets, who dropped dead to the crystalline ground and faded into dust before they could land a blow upon the Mii Fighters or the Subspace Army. The floating islands began to break apart too, and the Subspace Army quickly dissolved into Shadow Bugs and helped carry the Mii Fighters and their ships towards the Legacy, the Halberd, Falcon Flyer, Arwings, Hocotate, and many more included.

Soon enough, as soon as the sky brightened up once more, the stage below the fighters was fading into dust, and they were all falling through the sky two hundred feet in the air towards the ocean. Even though there was clearly water at the bottom, the exact speed they were falling would result in a splat similar to falling off an 80-story building onto hard concrete. Thankfully, the Spirits that could fly tried gathering up the Smashers and tried pulling them up, but their combined weight was too heavy to pull all of them up at once. Sozo and Hakai in their Hand forms managed to form a cup together to collect all the Smashers within their… well, hands.

The fighters watched as the remains of Galeem and Dharkon crashed into the ocean, the lights within their bodies fading into black. As the titanic waves of sea foam calmed down, the bodies of the Lords of Light and Darkness sank deep into the ocean, leaving behind orbs of gold and violet in their midst upon the crystal-blue surface. As the Super Smash Brothers were dropped onto the deck, they quickly ran over to the side to see the two orbs draw in all the energy around them. All the Spirits they had managed to rescue throughout the ten years they had been on this planet appeared right behind them to witness the event.

A gleam of light twinkled in each of the orbs before humongous shockwaves of golden light and violet darkness spread throughout the planet, shattering the barrier that was keeping all the Spirits trapped in Arcus. The shockwaves then expanded across the solar system, then the galaxy, then the universe and every other universe out there, until everything that had been destroyed was restored.

The fighters looked up into the sky to see the stars twinkle in the atmosphere, to which all the Spirits on the Legacy applauded in victory.

"Yes! Yes!" Daisy cheered, hugging Luigi while spinning around with him in her arms and making him blush. "We did it! We finally did it!"

"We'll finally return home!" the Sans Spirit spoke out from the crowd, feeling a rainbow aura surround himself as he floated up into the air. "Last one to their homeworld is a rotten egg!" Soon enough, a few Spirits began soaring into space, and eventually every Spirit on the planet was returning to their universes. They began soaring through the air in a multitude of colors, going deep into space until the highest point where the fighters could see the Spirits escape was nothing more than a star gleaming as bright as a supernova millions of light years away. There were plenty of Spirits inviting the fighters to join them back on their homeworlds.

"Well… looks like this is it," Mario told his friends. "We have finally made it up to this point after so long. Sozo? Will we… ever forget about this place? About the pals we made here?"

"Seems like only the Spirits can," Sozo answered truthfully. "You will still remember the adventures you went on this planet. And for that… Hakai and I are forever grateful. Your legends will be remembered on this planet for generations to come. And now you all can fulfill the dream of freedom you so well deserve after so long." Mario looked back upon the friends from different universes he made, how they all acted different in the roles they were presented in: hero, villain, or somewhere in between. He admired the different quirks in their personalities, helping them stand out from the others in some way.

And now he was going to say goodbye to them.

"We're-a going to miss you guys," Mario told his pals. "Hope we can meet again in the future. But for now… I guess this is goodbye." All the fighters in the large team got together in one big group hug, all of them feeling satisfied with the ending they had gotten in the end while also feeling sad that they have to go. Just then, Sonic realized something.

"This is the perfect spot for a group photo!" Sonic noted with sudden realization, and he quickly dashed to the other side of the Legacy before returning back a couple seconds later with a camera.

"Okay, everyone! Look this way!" Sonic told the fighters. Upon setting the camera up, Sonic dashed into the group photo at the split second the timer on the camera's shutter was finished. Before the camera fell, Sonic ran back in and held onto it as it printed a copy of the photograph. The blue hedgehog dashed over to his friends with the photograph in his gloved hands.

"What do you guys think?" Sonic asked. The other fighters really enjoyed the group photo as they included the whole crew of the Super Smash Brothers – Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Dark Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Luigi, Ness, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Peach, Daisy, Bowser, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Zelda, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Falco, Marth, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Roy, Chrom, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Pit, Dark Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, Snake, Ike, Pokémon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard), Diddy Kong, Lucas, Sonic, King Dedede, Olimar, Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, Wolf, Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina & Luma, Little Mac, Greninja, Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner, Palutena, PAC-MAN, Robin, Shulk, Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Ryu, Ken, Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, Inkling, Ridley, Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, Terry, and Byleth – all within the same frame.

"Nailed it!" Sonic chuckled. "A little memory of what we had together. Besides, this photograph might be updated by the time some new fighters wanna join our squad."

"Maybe one day," Red responded, calling back his three Pokémon with the Pokéballs he had. "Right now, I just wanna get back to my homeworld and be the very best like no one ever was. Who knows? Maybe I might catch a few rare Pokémon like Mewtwo and Lucario one day. Probably not." Soon enough, all of the fighters except for the ex-Ultimates Reborn, the Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch stayed behind. As the rest of the fighters were getting ready to jump in with the Spirits and return to their homeworlds, Sonic stood in place while the others walked off.

"Sonic… are you coming?" Fox asked. The blue hedgehog sighed, twiddling his fingers to think of a reasonable response.

"I… think I want to stay here," Sonic answered with a reply that even confused the fighters a bit. "This world is the gateway to other universes, the likes of which we have never seen before. I've got places to be and would like to… discover those worlds before I return to my home planet. And I hope one day we can all be called here together again and go one adventures through different worlds and alternate timelines. To make a long story short… I just wanna get things prepared for your return in case there are other worlds in need of our help." Fox laid a hand on the hedgehog's shoulder, knowing the decision Sonic made was wise in his own sense.

"Let's hope this choice of yours was worth it," Fox told the blue hedgehog before hugging him tightly with a pat on the back. The two broke apart the hug, and Fox McCloud grabbed ahold of Falco Lombardi and Wolf O' Donnell before jumping in with the other Spirits and ascending high into the air.

"See you guys again someday, I guess!" Falco called out to his pals, still holding on tight to Fox as he grabbed ahold of a Spirit from their universe. Mario walked over to the blue hedgehog, pulling out the old photo he still had in his blue overalls this whole time. It was torn and bent at the tips, with a couple burn marks on the sides and the permanent marker writing almost worn off to the point where it was unreadable.

"So you can compare our old photo to the current one," Mario told Sonic before hugging the blue hedgehog. The red plumber broke apart the hug and gently grabbed ahold of Peach's delicate hand, who in turn took hold of Bowser's hand as he carried on his spiky back his son Bowser Jr. and the Piranha Plant. In Mario's other hand, he held tight to Luigi, who was holding Daisy's hand with the utmost care, with Rosalina hugging tightly to her Luma while the Princess of Sarasaland roped her into the Mario gang with an arm lasso around her waist. Dr. Mario, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, and Wario grabbed tightly onto Bowser's shell, and the whole group jumped in once Mario held on tightly to a Spirit from their respected universe.

Once Mario and his friends from their universe were gone, Byleth walked over to Sonic and the fighters who didn't have their memorials destroyed. The professor pulled out the device he still carried with him, giving it to the blue hedgehog and covering it with Sonic's other hand.

"A little gift from me to you," Byleth told Sonic. "Hope it might help you in your research. As for me? I've got some I need to attend to in my timeline. The professor managed to spot one of his students within the Spirits escaping, and he dived in and ascended into the sky. One after the other, each warrior from their world was jumping in with the Spirits and floating freely into space, never to be seen again for quite some time.

But here was the thing. Quite some time. As Sonic watched his otherworldly friends leave after giving Meta Knight a comfort hug, he looked up into the starry sky as he watched pillars upon pillars of Spirits escaping, finally free to reunite with the bodies that were restored for them back in their worlds. He looked back at Sieg, Gilbert, Sherry, the Wii Fit Trainer, Popo and Nana, Mr. Game & Watch, and the ex-Ancient Minister, holding the photographs and the strange device in his hands with a bit of determination in his mind. There were plenty of universes undiscovered, and the strange device he held might provide the answers he needs from the mysterious dream he had that may uncover all the secrets of the multiverse.

This journey to defeat Galeem and Dharkon was only the beginning.

Chapter 91: A New Chapter

Summary:

Months after Galeem and Dharkon threatened the multiverse, the fighters that chose to live in Arcus had managed to figure out a way to transport across the multiverse. When Sonic volunteers to test it out, he (along with a few fighters from other worlds) is dropped off in a global-scale war between nature and the undead.

Chapter Text

The beeping of the alarm clock interrupted Sieg's peaceful rest in darkness in a bed as soft as a cloud after just several hours of sleep. The Mii Brawler moved the sheets off his body, rubbing his face until the slightly dark circles under his eyes faded away. He moved to the left of his bed and pressed the snooze button, shutting the alarm clock up. Sieg got up from the bed, yawning and stretching as he took a good glimpse outside the window facing him. It stretched across the entire wall, giving him a clear view of what appeared to be some sort of utopian futuristic city complete with tints of ancient alien culture and crystalline architecture, all glistening on smooth walls of titanium.

The Mii Brawler walked over to the small bathroom, brushing his teeth before rinsing with water and spitting in the sink. He walked over to a closet within the smooth walls, which was next to the bathroom he came out of. He pulled out the uniform he always wore, which was just washed and ironed a day ago and was left to hang alongside an assortment of peculiar outfits that identified with the trait of customization that identified the Mii Fighters so very well.

"Mii Brawler's Log: Day 187," Sieg spoke. As though the walls had ears, a small orb-shaped drone with a speaker merged to its spherical body flew towards the Mii Brawler from the corner-less sides of the room and started recording his voice as he undressed from his striped white-and-red long-sleeve pajamas.

"It's only been a few months after we had killed Galeem and Dharkon," Sieg continued, undressing himself until the only thing he wore was a pair of black boxers with red outlines. He had begun slipping on the undergarments for his uniform, going for the long pants first before slipping on a red tank top. "Ever since the rest of the Super Smash Brothers left, we have been staying around on the planet, trying to uncover the secrets lost in Arcus. It… mainly involves finding some artifacts and records of the dragons that lived here alongside our ancestors, but we're clearly not having any luck so far despite the major advancement in technology. Instead, we've been biding our time trying to reactivate the headset that Sonic and his group originally discovered on the Olympius. Really wish we could have kept it around more besides letting them save Mewtwo from becoming insane by the Shadow Synergy Stone." The Mii Brawler managed to slip on his gloves and pads, tightening the black ribbons around his waist and hiding them underneath his outfit.

"Hope today we can finally uncover the secrets held outside our universe, and the universes that our friends left off to," the Mii Brawler finished as he walked out of a sliding door which was supposedly the entrance to his apartment. "End log."


Sieg stepped out of the building he lived in, walking out onto the clear streets. They seemed to be smooth to the touch despite the ice and the chilly air of a morning winter. The Mii Fighters and Subspace Army were walking around peacefully, communicating with one another while helping each other out. The Mii Brawler walked forward, watching the futuristic vehicles zoom around in the air in straight lines crisscrossing above and below each other. He didn't know that he was losing his sense of direction until he bumped into a familiar face.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!" Sherry groaned. Sieg regained his train of thought when he realized he walked into her without knowing it.

"Oh, my goodness," the Mii Brawler gasped, holding her hand in apology. "I am so sorry. I didn't realize where I was going."

"No, no," the Mii Gunner answered. "It's my fault. Should have paid attention and focused my eyes on the road."

"What are you doing here?" Sieg asked, curious as to what she might be doing wandering around Civiltatula. "Normally, you would be up in the Legacy with the other fighters, trying to decipher that strange device we forgot we had in the Olympius."

"I came looking for Sonic," Sherry answered, pulling her left hand away from the Mii Brawler. "Any idea where he could be right now?"

"Probably back at his place," Sieg responded. "Other than that, he could probably be running laps around the planet. Why do you need him?"

"Because the contraption I made out of deciphering the device we regained from Byleth holds some… rather interesting results," the Mii Gunner answered. She pulled out a holographic of the device on her arm cannon, which began showing images of the dissected thing.

"According to what I discovered upon helping R.O.B. and Gilbert, this device cannot really transport anything on its own, no matter how hard we tried transferring its code into a bigger teleportation engine," Sherry continued, showing some sort of teleportation engine constructed out of the device through the blueprints on her hologram. "However, upon tracing Sonic's DNA through his shed quills, I've been able to uncover another source of transportation: rings." The Mii Gunner then pulled up a holographic depiction of a Mobian being throwing a ring like a disc until it grew multiple times its size in midair, to which the Mobian jumped through and disappeared without a trace.

"From those DNA trackings tracing all the way back to Sonic's home planet, I have figured out that these rings are extremely valuable in terms of warping any of their users to other planets of even the vaguest of thoughts," the Mii Gunner went on. "However, they're dangerous in the wrong hands, hence why only so few of the planet's beings could use them, but I believe those rings are what we need to get the device working as long as we have only one." Sherry ended the hologram on her arm cannon, turning off the hologram.

"But… how are we gonna get one?" the Mii Brawler asked. "I highly doubt Sonic has any considering why he never had them around before. Do you suppose we're gonna have to ask Sozo and Hakai for one of them?"

"Pretty much," Sherry answered. "So far, we can only teleport to different parts of the planet. Shouldn't be that hard to find the dragons." The Mii Gunner then pulled up a holographic screen on her arm cannon, teleporting herself and Sieg to another part of Arcus.


The two Miis managed to teleport to where they believed the generals were: the ancient pit Ginnungagap. It still held the cold, lifeless air it still held twenty years prior, with the fire bursts from the Muspelheim side of the pit and the ice geysers of the Niflheim side still permanently frozen in stone. However, due to the events that followed after the defeat of the Seraphim of Order and Chaos, life was taking root in this ancient land, with the gray sky becoming clearer and grass growing around the pit in the form of a small meadow. Some of the ancient ruins left behind near the circular edges of the pit were starting to become exposed from the early flora and fauna, which were digging up these pieces of culture with their roots from the hard stone, and Sozo and Hakai were standing on the edges. The two one-winged dragons simply stood there, looking over the empty gap that grew darker should they dive in.

The two Mii Fighters walked over to the generals, curious as to what they're doing there. They both looked down into the darkness of the pit just out of wondering what is it they were looking into. As though Sozo noticed the Ultimates Reborn, he began to talk to them.

"Legends say that if you gaze into the abyss… the abyss gazes back," Sozo said. "If you take the darkness as symbolism of fear and despair out of context, you can see that there is more that the darkness protects from the weakest of eyes. I suppose you have learned that lesson after you had regained your places as leaders of the Mii Fighter clan once more."

"We're… actually here for something else," Sherry noted. "Do you think you can generate a ring for us?"

"And not just any kind of ring," Sieg pointed out. "We're talking about an exact replica of the rings Sonic used in his universe." While Hakai kept staring at the abyss within Ginnungagap, his golden-eyed brother looked at the two Mii Fighters in confused interest to their question.

"Why… do you need a ring from Sonic's world?" the ex-Lord of Light asked.

"Because those rings of his are capable of traveling to other worlds," the Mii Brawler answered. "Isn't that right, Sherry?"

"I think so," the Mii Gunner responded. "Anyways, we believe that those rings provide the answers to the questions we have about the device Byleth unknowingly re-gave to us. It needs an energy source to power it, regardless of whichever transporter its code is transferred to. Since you two are the only beings we know that can create anything out of nothing with your newfound powers, we just need you to do… this one little job for us." Sozo began to wonder why would they need such a mysterious artifact, especially one that's capable of transporting anything and anyone to other planets in the universe they came from. If powered with a small device that has access to literally every universe in existence, the possibilities of omniversal teleportation are endless.

"Are you sure those rings from Sonic's universe are the answer to your question?" Sozo asked. "You do realize the last time we had seen Sonic use those rings it was when he was traveling around the multiverse in his Super form. I think when we transferred his conscious into a new body, we kept the rings he carried around in a secret location. We're still trying to get used to having the memories we had as dragons and the Hands at the same time, so… we'll take that idea into consideration. In the meantime, why don't you gather up all the fighters on the planet and call them near the device you have constructed?"

"No problem," Sherry responded, teleporting herself and the Mii Brawler away from the pit. Sozo looked back upon his brother, who still was looking into the abyss.

"I… guess I'll see you later," Sozo sighed, transforming into the Master Hand and teleporting away. The violet-eyed general continued keeping his gaze upon the abyss, looking deep into the darkness. He kept staring into the pit, wondering if there was anything that lived in it. It seemed as though whatever lived down there seemed to have been long dead by now, but what was that going to help? Normally, people would quit after this timespan, but the violet-eyed general decided to stay behind? How? Why? Simple. Because he was a master of the darkness. He was raised in the ways that people would normally fear. He thought that teaching Phoenix, his best student, those ways of the darkness on how it shelters those who are vulnerable in the light and helps them hunt to keep their sanity and satisfaction stable, hence the term "things that go bump in the night."

Guess how well that turned out.

Hakai, the more rebellious of the two generals that he is, knew that chaos was fun on its own, but what good is it if there was nothing to counter it? He kept staring deep into the void of the ancient pit Ginnungagap, waiting for an answer regardless of absence.


The two Ultimates Reborn managed to teleport to the front of the outside of a building somewhere else in Civiltatula, which was slightly taller than the building Sieg emerged from. There was muffled music blaring out in the higher stories of the buildings, which was still loud enough for the Miis to interpret the song as "No One Like You" from Scorpions.

"So… are you sure Sonic is in there?" Sieg asked.

"With music blaring THAT loud, it's highly positive," Sherry answered, walking into the building on her own.


Inside the building, Sonic was in his room singing along to the song up to maximum volume with a microphone, which was hooked up to a karaoke machine and was loud enough to drown out the muffled complainings of his neighbors.

There's no one like you

I can't wait for the nights with you

I imagine the things we do

I just wanna be loved by yoooooooouuu

 

No one like you!

"Sonic? Do you have a minute?" the Mii Gunner called out, opening up the door. Sonic, suddenly aware that he forgot to lock the door, turned towards the Gunner Ultimate Reborn.

"What?" Sonic asked as the song on the karaoke machine kept playing.

"I said do you have a minute?" Sherry asked again, this time in a louder and more commanding voice.

"I can't hear you!" Sonic answered again. In annoyance, the Mii Gunner walked towards the karaoke machine and quickly shut the loud music off despite the blue hedgehog's initial disappointment. As soon as the blaring song was shut off, the clamoring of the neighbors in surrounding apartments began to die down as well, but they were still mostly tired and negative responses.

"Hey! What gives?" Sonic asked the moment Sherry did such a thing.

"A… more quiet word of your study," the Mii Gunner replied, folding her arms across her chest. "About the device, I think I figured it out."

"Really?" the blue hedgehog wondered. "What's the sitch?"

"I need you to gather up the other fighters and get them to the Legacy," Sherry answered. "Tell them that Gilbert and Sozo have just built the contraption."

"The contraption?" The blue hedgehog pricked with severe interest. At this point, the machine they spent months trying to build to decipher the secrets of the multiverse are going to be answered right then and there. "I'll let them know right away. Can let them all know within a few seconds." Without being told twice, Sonic dashed out of the open room in the blink of an eye and returned just as fast as he left.

"Done and done," Sonic spoke with a satisfied tone in his voice as he popped the robotic knuckles hidden underneath his gloves. "They should be heading up to the Legacy any moment now." Even the Gunner Ultimate Reborn was still bewildered by the fact that he managed to tell every fighter on the planet so far about what was going on when it would normally take about twenty minutes albeit teleportation.

"Okay… I suppose we should head on over then," the Mii Gunner noted, touching her arm cannon once more to bring up a holographic screen. With a few presses in air, she covered herself and Sonic in a faint blue light before the two fighters disappeared from the apartment of the blue hedgehog.


The two fighters were instantly warped into a dark room, which was illuminated by the blue neon lights connecting where the walls met with the ceiling. There was a hexagon-shaped pad that stretched across a fraction of the floor, with individual holographic pods laid around in a certain pattern, with the machine in general holding up to twenty transporters. And in the center of the machine was the mysterious headset and heart pacemaker device that was still around all this time.

"Wow…" Sonic noted in awe. "This is what you guys were working on? This is some advanced sci-fi fantasy setting there!"

"Yep," the Mii Swordfighter's voice rang out from the other side of the room. The two fighters turned to face the voice coming from their right, and Gilbert walked in to greet them. "Preserved under perfect condition. And all we need are Sonic's rings to power the machine."

"My… rings?" Sonic asked. "Oh yeah! The rings I use to travel to different planets in my universe."

"We had recently uncovered that those rings have some sort of essence within them that, when harnessed well by technology powerful enough to link dimensions together, can provide an infinite power source to other worlds beyond our imagination. We're hoping upon linking it to the worlds of our other friends, we can stabilize connections with each other and reach out in a time of need." The Wii Fit Trainer, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt arrived in the same room, supposedly introducing the fact that they told the crew on the Legacy to beam them up onto the ship.

"One ring, fresh from the Master Hand's sleeves, as promised," Sieg called out, making his way over to the Mii Gunner and handing her what she needed: a tiny golden ring that fit in the palm of her hand.

"Just a fair warning: who knows if this device works?" Sherry spoke to the other fighters in the room, opening up the container keeping the omniversal gadget inside and letting small robotic arms take care of the rest. "Once this teleportation machine powers on, there could be a few malfunctions. For one: it might drag in other people from different universes. Second: the world you guys might appear on might not register on our maps yet. Thirdly, if by chance our first test subject meets those criteria, you might have to wait a while until our services try to find out where you are and bring you back here." The container began to flicker on and off as the golden ring began to swirl around the device, generating enough energy to power on the transporter successfully.

"So… who would like to go first?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked nervously.

"Pick me," Sonic responded with a big of boastfulness in his cocky voice.

"Big surprise," Gilbert sighed, he and the others watching the blue hedgehog get up onto the transporter. "What could possibly go wrong?"

"Everything within that sentence," Sonic answered, feeling the rumbling of the machine underneath his feet as the light above and below him began to glow a little brighter. "Have you even studied Murphy's law?"

"Oh! One more thing, though it might be too late!" the Mii Gunner noted with sudden remembrance, pulling out what appeared to be a cellphone and tossed it to the blue hedgehog as the light around him grew brighter. "Use it to call us whenever you're in danger! Got that?" The blue devil winked in response, placing the cellphone tight within his quills and covering his eyes as the light completely enveloped him. As the light covered him, he began to think about the strange messages echoing through his mind. A world where photosynthesis and necromancy attack each other? What kind of world would that be?

Soon enough, the blue lights illuminating the room went black, and they slowly faded back to their normal color so the Smashers could process what happened. They had just completely noticed the blue hedgehog disappeared through the transporter, and a faint beeping was heard on the container keeping the device and the ring inside. A holographic map flashed on top of the container by a blue light, showcasing a faint dot in a blank space with the letters "SONIC" on top of it. Soon enough, four more dots appeared around said dot, with large letters labeled in red "ABDUCTED LIFEFORMS. UNKNOWN PLANET DETECTED. TAKE NECESSARY PRECAUTION."

"Oh no…" the Mii Gunner groaned in the guilt of what she helped out with. That device seemingly abducted four sentient beings from other universes for whatever reason, trapped in some unknown world with Sonic. She ran out of the room, heading on over to the control panel powering the device.

"What do you think you're doing?" Sieg asked, watching the Gunner Ultimate Reborn search through the buttons and switches frantically.

"Well, don't just stand there! Help me!" Sherry told the fighters by her side. "We need to pitch in and figure out where we sent him… and hopefully return those abducted souls back to their planets. Call him or something! Who knows where they've gone off to now?"


In a flash of white, Sonic the Hedgehog reappeared in a new world. The blue devil looked around the strange place, trying to figure out where he was dropped off at. The last thing he did think off was a world where photosynthesis and necromancy attack each other, right? The rings on his planet are powered through imagination.

Sonic stood in place, trying to take in the gloomy atmosphere around him. Twisted, gnarled buildings that almost resembled houses in your ordinary average neighborhood stood proudly on the sides of the street. Rusted cars were either demolished or rammed into the nearest fire hydrant or lamppost. Thunder rolled above the dark clouds in the sky, blocking out any signs of sunlight. He looked over to his left, taking notice of what appeared to be a large advertising banner that supposedly welcomed any tourists into the town, apparent by the fact that it showcased a happy family with the captions "Welcome to Suburbia!" However, it was gnarled and burned, with claw marks scratching off the faces of the happy family on the banner, and spray paint poorly covered up the word "Suburbia" to add a new word to the town that was supposedly taken over by some unknown threat.

"Zomburbia?" Sonic wondered as he read the letters spray-painted onto the banner. "Hm. Whatever they've got cooking in their stoves I better eat up." Just then, he heard his cellphone ring from within his quills, and he pulled it up and answered.

"Sonic!" Gilbert's voice rang through the phone. "Are you okay?"

"Never been better," Sonic answered, taking a look at the strange town he landed in.

"Quick! What was the last thing you thought of before you were transported?" the Mii Swordfighter asked.

"All I thought about was a world where photosynthesis and necromancy fight each other," Sonic answered. "Why?"

"Looks like the machine's powered by imagination like the rings from your world. Turns out there's a little bit of a malfunction in our transporter, which means at least four people have just been abducted. Until we fix this thing and see where you are, try to survive with whoever you're given with, okay?" Gilbert hung up, and Sonic closed his cellphone and put it back in his quills.

"So much for advice," Sonic sighed. "Wait… did he say four other people?" Just as soon as the blue hedgehog finished that sentence, four beams of light generated behind him. He then turned around to meet some familiar faces.

"Piranha Plant! Clementine! Terry! Samus!" Sonic gasped, noticing the four fighters that used to work alongside them suddenly get transported to another world. The blue hedgehog quickly dashed over to each one of them, hugging the Smashers tightly.

"I'm so happy to see you again!" Sonic spoke as he hugged the Inkling last.

"Hold on a minute," Samus objected, holding the Piranha Plant by his flower pot. "Who in the right mind gave you permission to abduct me from my ship while I was busy on my next bounty hunt?"

"Oh… right," Sonic reminded as he took a strained deep breath and stopped hugging Clementine. "Me and the boys were busy testing out some sort of contraption that… kinda malfunctioned as it brought me to this place and… probably picked you guys up along the way. But don't worry! They're fixing it as we speak."

"And until then?" Terry Bogard asked, shaking the dust from his iconic cap as he adjusted it back on his head.

"I… suppose we'll have to survive here," Sonic answered. "But… what kind of world are we in right now? I mean, I get the neighborhood we live in is called Zomburbia, but why? What happened here to begin with?" The armored bounty hunter looked around the place, her visor scanning for any signs of life. All she could find was grass on the lawns. Even then, they were starved to death of the sunlight they have been denied until they became nothing more than moss-eaten and sickly. The Piranha Plant in her arms squirmed out, landing on the stubby roots hidden underneath his flower pot.

"Whatever it looks like, it's clearly not a good sign if we're noticed by whatever creature crawls around in the dark," Samus Aran answered.

"So… not the good kind of world?" Terry asked, playing around with the chi energy in his fingers. "Just what I need for a little challenge." Samus's visors suddenly picked something up, and the beeping in her visor began to broadcast… peculiar readings. For one thing, the target she read was moving around in the dark open streets, but its pulse was somehow at zero, and all vital signs were showcasing that this exact same target was technically dead. But how does that make sense? Samus thought. How can a target that's dead by her readings somehow move freely?

"Uh… guys?" Sonic told the small team of fighters with him, feeling something cold and rotting touch the fur on his leg. The blue hedgehog, disgusted by the feeling, quickly backed away as he and his friends looked to see the target Samus had spotted. It looked like some sort of short, stout child, wearing some sort of futuristic orange jumpsuit, as well as some strange helmet and two blasters by his waist. Strangest of all was the fact that this little creature had big, dull eyes in sockets too small to support them, a lack of nose besides the nostrils, and a crooked mouth with rotting teeth on its pale green skin.

"Do you think we guys should take precaution?" Clementine chirped in her Inkling language. The other four fighters looked at her, confused. The Inkling annoyingly came to the conclusion on her own that no one without a translator could figure out what the hell she was saying.

"I suppose we'll have to be careful around this guy," Terry told his pals, watching as the strange imp silently giggled to himself in an erratic manner. "He… doesn't necessarily look friendly."

"You think?" Samus asked, loading her arm cannon. However, Sonic dashed right in front of the armored bounty hunter, blocking her line of shot.

"Wait! Don't hurt him!" the blue hedgehog objected. "This little guy could probably tell us where we are. Hey there, little… whatever you are." Sonic slowly walked towards the imp, keeping his guard up. The four fighters behind him slowly put their weapons to their sides, hoping they could reason with this strange creature in the hopes that this could be accomplished without the need of violence.

"It's okay," Sonic continued, standing in place as he knelt down and kept his eye on the creature that was much smaller than him. "We're not here for a fight. We just wanna know where we are and how we can get out of here." As though it was a natural reflex, the imp cackled as he quickly pulled out a remote with a singular red button and pushed it. Landing behind the little rotting cretin from high in the air above the darkened clouds appeared to be some sort of spherical, metallic egg spray-painted orange and white.

"Woah!" Sonic exclaimed. "Did the sky have a baby or something!?" The egg then began to pull itself apart, transforming into what appeared to be a headless, bulky robot with wires and cogs conjoining its limbs to its cockpit body. There was the letter "Z" underneath the glass, with the mech picking up the laughing creature and placing it in the cockpit. The imp began pushing buttons, which pulled up a bunch of turrets, guns, and laser cannons that aimed right at the fighters.

"So… should we get out of here?" Terry asked, he and the others watching the weapons lock and load automatically.

"Yeah, let's," Samus answered. The split second the weapons fired, the five fighters scattered around the street and hid in different parts of the area, with Sonic and Piranha Plant hiding behind houses, Samus taking cover behind a lawn gnome as she was rolled up into a ball, and Terry and the Inkling inside the broken cars. The imp in the mech cackled as it began pressing more buttons, summoning missiles that began targeting all five of the fighters. Samus rolled out from behind the gnome, shooting missiles of her own at the creature in the cockpit. Clementine squirmed out of one of the cars in squid form, pulling Terry out and tossing bombs at the mech once she turned back to normal. The ink splatter covered up the glass of the cockpit, obstructing the imp's view as it tried aiming with its laser cannon and guns. While the bullets were flying around the place, Sonic dashed forward and began slashing through the imp through wall-jumping and spin-dashing, all while coated in blue electricity and moving too fast for the mech to even react.

As soon as the blue devil landed on the ground, he didn't look behind as the mech instantly exploded by the span of one second, and the imp controlling the mech jumped out of the initial explosion. The creature pulled out a megaphone with speakers taped to its sides, yelling and growling as a means to alert more of its kind. The imp activated the jetpacks on its back and flew off into the sky, with an unnatural growling accompanying the unsettling atmosphere of the neighborhood.

Clementine shrieked like a hawk when she saw a rotting hand emerge from the ground right in front of her feet, and she backed away into Terry's arms. Samus, upon seeing more of those rotting hands emerge from the ground, began firing charged shots at the undead creatures that crawled out from the ground. The Piranha Plant spat poison in the face of one of the creatures that looked like it was wearing a foot soldier uniform as it ran towards the other fighters. It only took a few seconds for them to notice that the imp they encountered and all the humanoid corpses slowly walking towards them were, in fact, zombies.

"This is bad, isn't it?" Sonic asked, he and his friends slowly moving towards each other until their backs touched each other.

"Remind me again why your friends back at Arcus thought transporting us here was a good idea," Samus asked Sonic, firing missiles at a few of the zombies that were wearing traffic cones and metal buckets on their heads.

"I'm sorry, okay?" the blue hedgehog responded in guilt. "I clearly wasn't thinking about what would happen if I was brought to a world I was told to go to!" Soon enough, a zombie who was wearing sunglasses, a bandana complimenting his long hair, and an outfit that looked like he belonged in an 80's action movie stepped out the group of zombies and charged up a powerful shot on what appeared to be a large crossbow with speakers and radical markings that looked just as ridiculous as his attire.

"Eeh!" Clementine squealed in recognition. The Inkling had just noticed some sort of brownish-red object flying towards their direction, which landed in front of the stylish zombie with the large crossbow. The strange thing took on the appearance of a bean, with some sort of face that looked like it was holding in a fart and the long, stringy leaf on its head fizzing up like a bomb. The other fighters noticed this too, and they managed to spot a peculiar green gas coming out of the bean.

As though it was a reflex, Piranha Plant quickly pushed Sonic, Inkling, Terry, and Samus out of the radius of the upcoming blast, pushing away the zombies in the process. The bean exploded into a large mushroom cloud of nauseatingly green gas, stunning the weaker zombies in the group and instantly killing those that were the closest to the explosion. As the Smashers managed to get past the zombies, the smell they managed to pick up was an awful one, almost like the scent of a dead skunk that just ate leftover chili from the trash that was also laced with ghost peppers.

Hiding behind a turned-over car, the five fighters peaked out to see the chaos going on. Emerging from the smelling explosion were dandelion-like plants with heads that looked like cabbages. Each of those heads sported a pair of eyes and a mouth while also bearing four stamen-like antennae on their heads. Strangest of all was the fact that they walked around like insects with four zigzag leaves that were pretty much their legs, meeting below the stem with peculiar stalk-arms near the bottom. Some were wearing pumpkins on their heads, other with vases and terracotta flower pots. Some of those peculiar plants either had the heads of dandelions or wildflowers, and they all charged straight for the incoming zombies.

Also emerging from the explosion were what looked like some sort of mushroom that had a stubby body yet moved around and vanished like a ninja, a rose-like deity that floated around with limbs of thorny vines and a cape decorated with stars, and a carnivorous flower that looked like Piranha Plant except it had a purple head, green lips, purple mucus dripping out of his mouth, and thorns sticking out of his body all the way down to the leaves it walked around in. All of those plants began attacking the zombies, building up the chaos going on right now.

Limbs, eyes, and heads from the zombies scattered across the place, with one of the heads landing in Terry's hands. In disgust, the Hungry Wolf dropped the head on the ground and began wiping his hands on his vest. Meanwhile, Sonic watched the fight between plants and zombies occurring on the streets, with explosions and bullets flying left and right. The blue hedgehog then started seeing the similarities of what he thought of when he entered the transporter.

"A world of photosynthesis and necromancy… This is it!" Sonic remarked. He looked back at the other fighters, a look of excitement in his emerald eyes. "Guys! We found it!" However, that excitement was short-lived as the zombie that was wearing the 80's action attire rode in on a missile like a bull rider and curved right behind the fighters, charging straight for them. Terry quickly did the smart act of jumping into the air and used Burning Knuckle, his chi-powered fist cracking straight through the zombie's skull. As soon as the street fighter landed, the rider-less rocket spiraled down right where the plants were attacking the zombies and where the other fighters were hiding at the same time, creating a powerful flashbang explosion sandwiched between both locations. As a result, the remaining zombies were killed off, but more from around the town were alerted of the commotion going on. The blinded plants and fighters knew of only one thing to do: get the hell out of here.

Some sort of flying RV engine with jet-powered wings flew below the clouds, using some anti-gravity maneuver like in alien abduction sci-fi flics to pick up the walking weeds and the rose-like druidess. The mushroom ninja, trying to readjust her eyesight, began to feel another stem as she tried searching for her carnivorous buddy, taking the being attached to the stem without any second thoughts. While all that was going on, Sonic grabbed ahold of another large stem in the hopes that it was Piranha Plant and began pushing his other pals out of the conflict. None of the fighters or the plants looked back as they escaped from the town, with the small group of Smashers running through the wide-open gate as some of the zombies chased them down.

Eventually, the fighters got to a clearing in a nearby forest, where the dark clouds over the town of Zomburbia vanished and the bright sun shine through the wilted leaves on the trees. Sonic and the others began to catch their breath, glad that they managed to lose the zombies targeting them. Before the blue hedgehog could sit down and rest on the mossy ground, he looked over to the plant he was holding and quickly backed away.

"Uh… guys?" Sonic reminded with surprise in his voice. Inkling, Terry, and Samus all looked at the blue devil to see what was the commotion, only to find out that the plant they mistook as the Piranha Plant was in fact the lookalike with the drooling lips and thorny vines. The plant was still recovering from the flashbang, which blinded his other senses even though he had no eyes.

"Crap! We got the bait-and-switch!" Samus ejaculated, noticing this plant looked nothing like the Piranha Plant.

"B-Bait-and-switch?" the plant asked in a gruff voice, fully recovering his senses. "Night Cap, what's going on here-?" The plant suddenly noticed where he was right now: in a small group of people that shouldn't even be here.

"Who are you people!?" the plant interrogated.

"We should ask you the same question," Sonic answered. "We actually have a lot of questions to ask you considering you can somehow talk: who are you, where are we, what's going on, and what have you done with Piranha Plant?"

"What's a… Piranha Plant?" the plant asked before quickly changing the topic. "You people shouldn't even be here. This is dangerous territory you've stumbled in. Zomburbia does NOT welcome strangers."

"We can worry about where we are later," Samus noted. "Right now, we need to find out where your friends have taken our pal. Do you know where?" The plant took a good look at the fighters, shaking his head and licking his green lips.

"I'm Agent Chomper, or… a Chomper" the plant introduced. "I'm in fact one of many Chompers, and thankfully one of the more intelligent ones. I think they took your pal back to the Tree of Life."

"Tree of Life?" Terry asked.

"It's one of humanity's last stands in the endless war against the zombies," the Chomper responded, already running off in a certain direction of the woods. "Better follow me. This world is teeming with the undead. Better safe than having your brains eaten." The Chomper glanced back at the blue hedgehog with a sign of suspicion before he walked off, but the others didn't seem to notice due to the fact that he didn't even have any eyes.

"Let's go," the armored bounty hunter told the other fighters, following the Chomper through the woods. Clementine transformed into her squid form and slithered onto Terry's shoulders, reverting back to her humanoid self as the street fighter gave her a piggyback ride. Sonic was just about to take a step forward, but a loud sound began to ring in his ears. A tremor in the blue devil's body began to ring as he painfully clasped on both sides of his head, trying to calm the splitting headache. Time seemed to slow down around him, and it wasn't even his speed doing all the work. His eyes began to see binary code all around him, with the forest around him fading into the darkest dark.

As soon as the aching stopped and the ringing in his ears began to fade into silence, Sonic looked up to meet the cracked face and hands with holes from before. The stranger stared at the blue hedgehog in silence, giving the young fighter a sense of familiarity.

"It's you again," Sonic spoke, recognizing that stranger as the one he saw in his dream. "I thought you were just a figment of my imagination."

A few months ago, I had noticed that you and your friends had pulled through in defeating Galeem and Dharkon, the stranger began, communicating through his hands and the symbols behind him without moving his drooping mouth. And you have utilized the third ending I provided for you wisely. Excellent job.

"Wait… so all that wasn't a trippy dream?" Sonic asked. "Then how do you explain… what's happening now? I don't even know your actual name."

My name… is Gaster, the stranger answered. William Dexedrine Gaster. You are quite wise to make me tell you my identity. Do you recognize where you are now?

"Apparently, I'm in some sort of world where photosynthesis and necromancy attack each other, just like you said… only it's with plants and zombies," Sonic answered. "And thanks to the guidance you have given me one of our pals has gone missing on one side of the war. What does this world have to do with me anyway?"

You will understand soon enough, Gaster answered. For now, reunite with the Piranha Plant and take down the enemy before your friends back at Arcus fix the transporter you came from. I will act as your guardian to the truth in the meanwhile. Do not worry, though. The world around you is paused when you communicate with me, and I will be willing to drop you in on some hints. However, you will come to the conclusions on your own. The mysterious Eye of God restored the forest around Sonic, vanishing in the darkness as a result. Time began to move again, and the blue hedgehog could once again feel the ground underneath his red sneakers.

"Try to keep up!" Samus called out. The blue hedgehog dashed towards the voice of the bounty hunter, heading deep into the forest.


The flying RV flew in the clear blue sky, driving over to some sort of large tree that was growing over an abandoned part of the town next to Zomburbia. The grass had never been greener, and loads of greenhouses were surrounding a large tree that supposedly served as the base for all the plants that lived there, which was pretty much a military camp. Once the RV landed, the rose and mushroom plants emerged out of the vehicle with the Piranha Plant peeking out after the weeds scattered across the area in high-pitched grunts. He was rather curious to see the two plants talking about him.

"Night Cap, art thou sureth thou grabbed the right plant that wouldth in any way resemble the Chomper we went with?" the rose druidess asked in an enchanting, medieval accent from the days of early modern English.

"I was sure, Rose," the mushroom ninja the rose druidess referred to as Night Cap answered in a voice that was raspy and cautionary. "I swear I grabbed Chomper when we left the town! In all honesty!" The Piranha Plant walked out of the RV, slowly approaching the two feminine plants in caution. Rose and Night Cap watched as the carnivorous flower looked at them like a dog who just found its new owner, looking at them rather curiously.

"Well, he sure doesn't looketh like a Chomper to me," Rose noted. "Not even close to the spawnable types either. What are we gonna tell the other L.E.A.F. agents?"

"I don't know," Night Cap answered. "Just lie to them. Tell them that this is a rare, undiscovered breed of Chompers that just grew in Zomburbia."

"And how art they gonna believeth that?" Rose asked. "Plants can't grow without sunlight, and complete darkness haseth covered up the entire town."

"What is going on here?" a commanding voice called out. Both Rose and Night Cap quickly hid Piranha Plant behind them to hide what they assumed was their leader accompanied by a few other agents. The leader of the incoming plants seemed to be some sort of walking corn husk with corn cobs on his stalk-arms, with the agents by his side resembling that of a sunflower skipping with the legs supporting her stem and some sort of draconic plant with green skin, orange leaves, and yellow eyes accompanying him.

"Agent Kernel Corn! Sunflower! Snapdragon!" Rose nervously stammered, beads of sweat dripping down the petals on her face. "We didn't seeth thou coming this way! We had just returned from our mission to destabilize the Z-Mechs aroundth Zomburbia!"

"And you somehow had to retreat back to the Tree of Life," Kernel Corn noted. "Do you know how important this mission to defeat Dr. Zomboss is in terms of the L.E.A.F. agency?"

"We tried to fight back, but there were just too many," Night Cap noted, with the Piranha Plant peeking out behind the two plants that took him away from his pals. "It seems as though every day, these zombies constantly mutate and get stronger."

"We clearly cannot holdeth them back any longer," Rose noted. "We needeth something stronger to fight back before our base falls…" Kernel Corn suddenly noticed the Piranha Plant hiding behind the two plants.

"What are you and Night Cap hiding behind you?" Kernel Corn asked.

"It's nothing," Rose chuckled a fake laugh, suddenly noticing that the director of L.E.A.F. spotted the carnivorous flower.

"Where's Agent Chomper?" Kernel Corn asked.

"Uh… there are plenty more of his species," Night Cap reassured. "You can always send out more troops into the neighborhood."

"One of the rules in our code references that no plant is left behind. Rule #271, to be exact," Sunflower pointed out, speaking in a caring but commanding voice. "Those zombies could have captured Agent Chomper and tortured him to spit out our most important secrets unless he was dead, and you know he's still alive out there! Just tell us what you're hiding. No bailing out like all the times you did before, like that issue with the robot gnomes."

"We toldeth thou, it's nothing…" Rose tried to reason, but Snapdragon spread open his leaf-wings and flew behind the druidess and Night Cap. He latched onto the Piranha Plant's flower pot as the carnivorous flower tried to run away, exposing the fighter to the three L.E.A.F. agents.

"Look what they found!" Snapdragon called out, settling Piranha Plant's flower pot onto the grass. The other agents were surprised to see the carnivorous flower brought right before them.

"Rose… Night Cap… what is that plant you brought with you?" Kernel Corn asked in wonder. "If it's a Chomper, tell us what kind of breed it is. We've never seen that thing before."

"We just… foundeth this strange creature when we least expected it," Rose confessed. "We thought we broughteth Agent Chomper along with us when the Weeds and us crowded into Penny and fled Zomburbia."

"Basically, we kinda switched between Chomper and this peculiar lookalike by accident, but that was because of a flashbang explosion from an 80s Action Hero," Night Cap noted. "We don't even know where Chomper went. We can safely assume some of the zombies took him to Zomboss Mansion."

"Hm… and how exactly did this rare breed of Chomper appear in the town? If you could even call it that?" Kernel Corn asked, crouching to closely examine Piranha Plant with careful analysis. "Sunlight doesn't appear anywhere in Zomburbia. The clouds above the town blocked out the sky of any natural light resources."

"Well, hast thou the knowledge to figure out there's a very rare chance of sunlight breaking through?" Rose asked. "That's whateth thou told us when Agent Sunflower was born in the town after the zombies banished us and tooketh over. I think the same could haveth been established for this… very rare breed we've never foundeth anywhere. I doubt even Crazy Dave had the brains to invent such an… interesting plant. And it's not even a crossbreed too."

"Hm… wherever it came from, we might have to send it back there," Kernel Corn spoke. "Doesn't look like it can speak. Looks like he'll have to come with us once we raid Zomboss Mansion. Until we assemble our troops, this Chomper lookalike will have to get comfortable around here. Agent Cactus. Give our new guest a tour around the place." As though she heard Kernel Corn, some sort of cactus with red flowers and yellow stamen antennae jumped from a high place from above the lower branches of the Tree of Life, already reporting for duty. She waddled towards the Piranha Plant with stubby roots hidden underneath her body, pushing the fighter's flower pot away from the other agents.

"As for you two, I better expect to see full cooperation from you," Agent Kernel Corn told Rose and Night Cap. "You better not screw up on our mission to take back the town. This is a very serious objective." The lead agent walked away, with Sunflower and Snapdragon following behind him.

"Come with me," Cactus told Piranha Plant in a calm but dominant British accent. "I have much to tell you about the camp." As soon as the L.E.A.F. agent and the carnivorous flower walked away, Agents Rose and Night Cap looked at each other in worry.

"We need to get Agent Chomper back!" Night Cap told the medieval levitating plant. "We just have to go back where we entered the last fight and lost him in the first place."

"But how doth we doeth that?" Rose brought up, twirling her rose wand between the leaves that served as fingers on her stalk-arms. "We couldn't haveth just shown up for no reason. That Imp sent forth a signal far from our reach. That Chomper decided to attacketh because he thoughteth more plants were in danger."

"But does that mean the plant we dragged along… wasn't from this world?" Night Cap asked. "You've seen Little Shop of Horrors, haven't you? Probably not, considering you're a mage from the past. The premise is a plant from outer space feeds on blood instead of water, and they keep growing until they devour the world's population of humans." The two plants began to think of the guest they accidentally brought along before they thought of the best answer. Perhaps that plant they brought along was only acting dumber than the spawnable plants just so he can eat all the lifeforms on the planet when they least expected it.

"We are in serious trouble," Rose finished, starting to fear two things at once.


Deep in the woods, the four fighters that were transported to the mission began to notice the sky growing noticeably darker the longer they followed that Chomper around. From the decaying leaves on the trees and the moss covering the rotting bark, they could figure out the fact that they were nowhere near this supposed Tree of Life.

"Are you sure this is the right way?" Terry asked. "Looks like we're still in the town's borders."

"Of course I'm sure," Chomper answered. "I know every nook and cranny of this town from the back of my big-mouthed head."

"Really?" Sonic responded in a patronizing tone with his arms folded across his chest. "Because it looks like we're going around in circles. Plus, we still need to get back to where we came from the same way we got here. Speaking of which…" The blue hedgehog quickly dashed behind the nearest tree, flipping open the cellphone in his quills. The phone automatically picked up the number back on the Legacy.

"Status update," Sonic whispered. "And asap."

"Still working out a few gimmicks," the Wii Fit Trainer answered on the phone. "Sozo's helping us figure it out, though. Where are you right now?"

"I'm with Terry, Samus, and Inkling," Sonic silently answered. "Piranha Plant was also with us, but we kinda split up in some sort of conflict involving plants and zombies. Now we're lost in the woods with one of the sentient plants in this world."

"…Look, we'll call back once we're fixed, okay?" the Wii Fit Trainer responded. "Just hold on for a little longer." She hung up the phone on the blue hedgehog, to which he quickly accepted it. He ran back to the fighters from behind the tree.

"Can I continue?" Chomper responded. "Anyway, at least it's not my fault I was dragged away from the others. Now they've got a thick-headed substitute."

"Hey! That 'substitute' is our friend, and we need to get him back from your team," Samus objected.

"But you just can't charge in without a plan," Chomper noted. "That's the first rule we made in L.E.A.F.'s code."

"L.E.A.F.?" Sonic asked.

"The League of Extraordinary Action Foliage," Chomper defined. "It's basically a resistance we came up for the remaining plants that lost the war against the rise in the zombie apocalypse. Humans thought that enhanced botany was the answer to this war. In all honesty, I don't know where we are, but what I DO know is that we're near Zomboss Mansion."

"Zomboss Mansion?" Terry questioned.

"Home to the most ruthless of the ruthless," Chomper responded, pushing away a few branches and bushes with his large head. "Remember all the zombies you encountered before? They all bow down to one cunning and deceitful leader: Dr. Edgar George Zomboss. He's able to build the most dangerous of contraptions, help boost zombies in their time of need, and quite the brain too. Literally. His cranium isn't large enough to conceal such a big brain of his size. He's also quite a mad genius too. Always spitting out insults, giving no regards to his own henchmen (because he's got so many of them), and enjoys bringing out destruction in his Zombots."

Sonic stopped dead in his footsteps upon hearing that word. He couldn't really quite place why. Why he was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. Almost like it was a natural reflex. A feeling of trauma began to bubble up in the pit of his stomach, and none of his friends noticed. The only thing he remembered from that word was the horde of metallic zombies in his fever dream. But we're they related to that word or not? Perhaps the feeling in his stomach might go away when they break into the mansion and defeat the bad guy. Chomper noticed that look of confusion and familiarity in the blue hedgehog, one of which he recognized from no one else. It was as though he found what he was looking for.

"We're here," Chomper whispered, pushing away a bush and revealing what appeared to be a gothic, dark mansion with a large, neon "Z" above the front entrance. The four fighters peered through the open bush to spy on the security of the mansion. Turns out there were two gigantic zombies wielding telephone poles and wearing sunglasses to conceal their bloodshot eyes and carrying Imps that wore different clothing compared to the Imp they encountered before, and those brutes were guarding the front entrance. Parrots and superhero costume-wearing zombies soared through the air, keeping watch over the vents above the mansion, and on the roof was a chimney that pumped out the opaque clouds that swallowed Zomburbia in darkness. Since the mansion also had a drawbridge, there was a river surrounding the place, which had a toxic green sludge and snorkel-wearing zombies flowing through its soft currents.

"Looks like Zomboss amplified the security, outside of the Giga Gargantuars guarding the front entrance," Chomper told the four fighters. "Probably that Imp you let escape told him on your sudden appearance. We'll have to blend in."

"My bets are these zombies are dumb, but not THAT dumb?" Samus pointed out.

"They're quite braindead, to be honest," Chomper pointed out. "However, as long as we're not detected in our environment, we can find a way in. And it looks like there's one place they forgot to check: the sewage system. There's also a chance the rest of the plant troops will be ambushing the mansion in the belief I'm being held captive by the zombies, and that your… Piranha Plant will be with the agents."

"So, you're saying we'll have to sneak into the sewers?" Terry Bogard asked. "In this case, let's go. The sooner we take down your enemy, the sooner we reunite with Piranha Plant and escape this planet."

"Alright, if that's what you want," Chomper responded. "You head close to the river. Stay out of the Super Brainzes' and Parrot Pals' line of sight. If you're ever spotted, act like a zombie and growl anything about brains. They'll always fall for that, but not for long." Terry, Samus, and Clementine rolled down the hill and began hiding behind boulders, and Sonic was just about to join them. However, Agent Chomper bit down on the quills on the back of his head and pulled the blue hedgehog back before he even took a step forward.

"Hey, what gives?" Sonic asked. The other three fighters looked back on the two characters, wondering what was going on.

"Don't worry about him," Chomper responded with his teeth clenched in Sonic's quills. "He's got a top-secret mission that involves disabling the security for the plants." The three fighters easily took that as an order for the current mission, and they went on ahead without Sonic. Chomper then dragged the blue hedgehog behind the bush, much to Sonic's confusion.

"Woah woah woah," Sonic objected, squirming out of Chomper's bite once the plant took them both out of hearing range deep in the dark woods they came from. "What's the big idea? Those mood swings from you have occurred way too fast, even for my standards."

"You look rather familiar to me," Chomper confessed in a tone that would be classified as strict and serious. "Ever since I was just a sprout, I was taught the world we live in is a kill-or-be-killed one, especially against the zombies we face. But I learned the truth of the undead's sudden origins long ago. Through different points in history, even. From the Jurassic Era to the supposedly far future, a being that looked exactly like you began to raise the dead everywhere they trampled."

"A being like me?" Sonic asked. He began to grow rather confused about what was happening. Wasn't that plant an ally a while ago? This agent didn't attack them before and simply called off a truce. Why was he getting mean around the blue hedgehog all of a sudden?

"History textbooks have spoken of a being consumed by pure darkness who showed up out of nowhere and began raising the dead," Chomper answered. "They spoke in a language that was untranslatable by our current technology, but thankfully Penny had access to deciphering any language spoken, even the unknown ones. The being preached messages about how humanity will pay for its sins in countless universes and brought forth an army of… well, zombies. However, once a man named David Blazing, otherwise known by the common folk as Crazy Dave, manufactured plants that can attack major threats, this mysterious entity vanished without a trace, bringing forth a new era of zombies within the darkness they left behind. L.E.A.F. agents have spoken of the mysterious being as some sort of bipedal rodent, but any tracings seem to have vanished to avoid suspicion. Who else would it have been other than you to just… show up out of nowhere?"

"Stop!" Sonic hesitated, stepping back from Chomper until he pressed his back against an old, gnarled tree. "I don't know what you're talking about! I don't even remember being here in this world! What do you mean by that fact that the being said humanity will pay for their sins?"

"I know plenty," Chomper growled viciously, the purple slobber in his mouth bubbling between his lips and dripping down onto the forest floor. "I taught myself to hunt down an alien that looked like you, and countless generations have been unable to spot it and eventually forgot about the legacy you left behind… until I show them the truth. You sure as hell will make a fine bounty for our troops once we're finished with the countless terrorizations you have established throughout history."

"Whatever I did, I'm sorry!" Sonic stammered, feeling a spark of adrenaline coursing through his spines and slightly straightening his quills as a result of the goosebumps on his skin. "In all honesty, I completely forgot all I did here to make you mad at me!" However, the Chomper would not let him off the hook that easily. He spat some sort of large ball of dark vines and thorns, which straightened out of the ground below Sonic's feet. The grassy wad had red, pupil-less eyes that looked up at the blue hedgehog, and it lashed its vines at Sonic before he could even run. The vines wrapped around Sonic, restraining his neck and tying his gloved hands behind his back.

"This is a Spiky Spikeweed, designed to trap enemies in its vines for much longer than Spikeweed and Tangle Kelp combined," Chomper pointed out, chuckling as Sonic tried to pull himself out of the vines constricting his body. "The crimes you have committed definitely fit the punishment."

"But the other plants you say you work for!" Sonic groaned, trying to breathe as the tightening of the vines from the Spiky Spikeweed crushed his lungs harder. "They probably have some sort of code that says to protect all living creatures for the sake of humanity! Doesn't your biological kingdom follow that?" Chomper didn't take that response lightly and simply spat a violet goop on Sonic's lips. The goop hardened fast and kept the blue hedgehog's lips together, silencing him completely. The plant leaned his big green lips towards Sonic's ears, tingling them with a warm and odor-filled breath.

"You… are not worth protecting," Chomper growled quietly. "In this world, you are the enemy. In the end, you did this to yourself. You altered the logic of our universe beyond our understanding, and only I still remember that. For this, you know the consequences." Sonic struggled in his bondages, trying to reason with the plant that's keeping him here. However, he didn't know what to say even if that goop wasn't gagging him. He literally had no memory of this place. Why was he being treated like the bad guy all of a sudden? Agent Chomper literally said to his face that he was the enemy. That couldn't be right. That shouldn't be right.

"I'll come back for you once we destroy the mansion," Chomper finished as he walked back to where they first spotted the place where all those zombies gathered. "I've heard of a restaurant that serves the finest hedgehog meat, and they're willing to pay a lifetime of military supplies should we meet with the best of their demands." The plant walked off through the bushes to the mansion, leaving a tied-up hedgehog behind in the dark woods.


Terry Bogard, Clementine, and Samus Aran were sneaking around the mansion, hiding behind the dead bushes and sneaking around the edge of the river. The three fighters managed to spot the source of the toxic green goop flowing into the river below the drawbridge: a large sewer entrance barred with wood that pretty much melted from the glowing sludge pouring into the water, with poorly-spelled words telling any Intruders to keep out and surrender their brains if necessary. Agent Chomper arrived back to the three fighters by digging through the ground and popping back up between them.

"Your hedgehog friend should be distracting the zombies right about now," Chomper fibbed before jumping straight to the mission. "Better not touch that toxic substance pouring into the river." The plant quickly grabbed ahold of a mouse scurrying through the grass with his mouth and spat the tiny rodent into the river. Upon crawling out onto the pebble shore, the fighters noticed the glowing mouse began growing hundreds of eyeballs all over its body, tentacle tongues, and enlarged feet before letting the radiation take over its tiny body and fry it until it became a black mass of burned tar.

"Heh," Samus scoffed. "My Power Suit has been upgraded to protect me from the most hazardous of planets, so walking through a toxic river that makes you grow eyeballs and fry to a crisp? No problem." As soon as the bounty hunter stepped into the river, her Power Suit felt no signs of melting, and the woman within relaxed as she knew her outfit would protect her from the radiation. She safely made it to the entrance without a scar on her armor, and she tore down the wooden boards blocking the singular hole that was the sewage system.

"Hold on tight, okay?" Samus alerted the other three members of the team, pulling out a plasma grappling tether from her arm cannon. She grabbed ahold of Chomper's stem, pulling the plant into the sewer where a tiny stream of the toxic green sludge poured out. Both Samus and Chomper noticed the stream was so tiny, but they took care not to step in the stream.

Samus pulled out her plasma tether, pulling Terry Bogard over the river and then Clementine. The Inkling showed signs of panic as she and Terry quickly backed away from the stream in the sewer.

"We continue straight ahead and end up at Zomboss's lab," Chomper told the three fighters. "Shouldn't be long until the plants finally take back the planet." As the three fighters went on ahead, Chomper looked back upon the other side of the river, knowing that victory for the humans is close at hand. And there would be no one to stop them from saving the world.


The cold, dead air in the forest wasn't enough to sustain Sonic's need for oxygen, and the vines holding Sonic in place didn't seem to do much justice. The blue hedgehog twisted back and forth, trying not to scratch himself on the Spiky Spikeweed's vines. Sonic tried stepping on the plant binding him, but he was held high enough in the air to prevent him from accomplishing such a simple task. His muffled winces signified the fact that he cut his skin from the tight vines binding his robotic hands behind his back, with tiny drops of blood trickling down his arms.

That plant's gonna kill me! Sonic thought as he slowed down his struggling. I don't remember doing anything on that planet before I even got here. He's crazy! Sonic eventually gave up on trying to fight back against the Spiky Spikeweed holding him in place, bowing his head in defeat. He was at least glad he could breathe thanks to the goop clamping his mouth shut was thin enough for air to seep through. He was at a loss for what to do here.

Sonic wondered what he did to land him in the role of the villain in those Chomper's eyes. And that was just a figure of speech. He didn't really have eyes. What was that "ancient deity" the crazy plant went on about? He needed answers, and maybe that Dr. Zomboss guy might provide with the answers.

I have to get out of here or else I'll become food for some unknown restaurant, Sonic thought as he looked down upon his confined body. But how am I gonna get out of here? …Looks like there's only one plant I can turn toward to now. Gaster? W.D.? If you can hear my thoughts right now, I need help. So just give me the best you can come up with. Please. As though the mysterious being heard the blue devil's prayer, Sonic saw himself fade into the darkness again, with the restrictions confining him. And once again, he met with the face of Gaster.

"Hey, W.D.," Sonic chuckled with enthusiasm. "I'm in a bit of a situation. Can you get me out of it, please?"

Is it because of the Chomper you got friendly with, is it not? Gaster asked, with the symbols generating behind him. There are tons of different worlds that each have their own enemies, with some believing they are doing the right thing by destroying the villain.

"That's… kinda why I'm here," Sonic awkwardly laughed. "Do you think you can untie me or something so I can stop that crazy plant?"

I may have the power to alternate between timelines, but even my own abilities have limitations, Gaster answered. I am afraid I cannot help you escape from the Spiky Spikeweed.

"Figured you'd say that," Sonic sighed in expected disappointment. "But why does that Chomper wanna kill me after he and my pals take down that mansion full of zombies? What's his problem?"

I believe it is not something you possess, but rather what you had done ages ago, Gaster answered. He believes that for some reason YOU tampered with the world both plants and zombies live in.

"…But what does that have to do with anything?" Sonic responded, with far more questions than answers on his mind. "That plant doesn't give a crap about how I literally don't remember anything about this place, if at all!"

I may not be able to give you all the advice you need for now, but I will tell you this: that Chomper was not lying when he said you tampered with this world. Gaster followed. Sonic grew rather curious as to what this strange being meant. Tampering with a planet? How in the right mind could he ever do that?

The reason you were able to alter this reality beforehand was because you, among those near the Almighty Father, had possessed the potential to modify the timeline, Gaster continued. Interesting. To think an ordinary protagonist in your world would end up as an antagonist here. It has certainly given you a bad reputation...

"An antagonist?" Sonic asked. "Look, pal. I had always been me. It's not like I have some world-altering powers that screwed over an entire world population. I mean… you would have to be a monster to… do… such a thing…" The blue hedgehog suddenly came to the thought that whatever he did, there are those who have heard the tales and we're taught to fear him. They see him as the villain that ruined their idea of a paradise, and that Chomper was supposedly one of the beings that was taught to fear him in some way. But there is such thing as redemption. He had to clear his name somehow.

Now do you understand? Gaster responded. I cannot help you, but I can drop upon you some advice that will prepare you for far worse times. For now, all you have to do is save the world from the zombie apocalypse. Now then. About your… current situation. I may not have the power to help you escape… but I know you can call on someone else to get you out of there. Until we meet again. The mysterious being vanished into the darkness, bringing Sonic the Hedgehog back to the world he was still in. He was just like how Agent Chomper left him: confined by a Spiky Spikeweed and gagged by hardened purple goop.

I need to get out of here, Sonic thought, fondling his bound hands through his back. He eventually pulled out one of his blue quills, which sparkled with the raw energy of speed they bore. He knew that the quill was too dull to cut through such thick vines, but he highly believed that all these plants could receive the strangest of signals through other plants closely related to electricity. The best he could do was lodge the sharp end of the quill into one of the vines constricting around his chest. The electrical current began sparking up with enough power to spiral around the Spiky Spikeweed, which gave the plant a little bit of voltage. Soon enough, the blue lightning began moving around through the ground, traveling fast and far away from the mansion through the roots of whatever nearby plants were still alive.

Piranha Plant, wherever you are, I hope you can help me now, Sonic thought, keeping his strong belief that the carnivorous flower was the only one who could answer his call for help.


Back at the Tree of Life, Agent Cactus was busy showing Piranha Plant around the camp, to which he became very interested in all the strange plants. They had nothing like that back at the Mushroom Kingdom, and even then, he was just one of many grown in one of Bowser's greenhouses and forced to live in pipes.

"Ever since the dawn of time, plants and zombies have been at each other's throats for generations," Cactus taught. "Countless years of neverending conflict had finally grinded to a halt once Dr. Edgar George Zomboss had uncovered powerful machines throughout different moments in history. He called them Zombots, though I guess it was rather fitting considering the nature of their origins. With those new machines, he kicked out all the plants out of town and forced them to retreat to the Tree of Life, with all the remaining humans of the world either captured and eaten or fled to the other side of the planet. Even to this day, we don't know where Crazy Dave, our creator, has gone, but we can safely hope he's not in the grimy hands of the undead." Just then, Piranha Plant turned around upon hearing a peculiar beeping noise. He caught sight of some sort of large red currant with a face glowing with blue lightning that beeped rapidly.

"Oh," Agent Cactus noted, watching the Piranha Plant run towards the currant in his flower pot. "I take it you're interested in one of our Electric Currants. We use them to protect our base like fences. That's… odd. I thought Agent Peashooter told us to take that one down because he burned out his electrical energy." As the Piranha Plant looked at the defective Electric Currant, he slowly started to figure out that the rapid beeping was, in fact, an emergency Morse code somehow sent out by Sonic.

"Looks like some sort of… Morse code?" Cactus noted, aware that she had spent most of her time dedicated to reading emergency messages. "Normally, other plants would communicate through other species in the Fila-Mint family, but it looks like someone of the animal kingdom has tapped into our feed by accident? They're saying they need you for the job deep in the woods near Zomboss Mansion?" The Piranha Plant looked straight ahead to the dark woods where the enemy was. He began to see a faint glow of blue light coming from within the forest, and he knew exactly where to go. He dashed ahead, leaving a confused Cactus behind.

"Wait!" Agent Cactus called out. "Where are you going!? Come back here this instant!" Agents Night Cap and Rose caught sight of the situation, and they ran over to Cactus in question.

"That rare Chomper had just left the camp!" Agent Cactus told the two feminine plants. "We need to go after him!" The Cactus waddled as fast as she could, running after the Piranha Plant that dashed off into the woods like a hungry wolf having just caught scent of fresh blood in its next meal.

"Well, we better go after the strange plant then!" Night Cap noted, already running off ahead after having disappeared from a cloud of dark purple spores. Rose floated behind the two plants, hoping to catch up with them.


The blue hedgehog was patiently waiting for someone to come to his rescue, and the Spiky Spikeweed didn't even notice that its prisoner was sending out the signal for help. Sonic eventually heard a noise coming from the hill next to him, and it just so happened to be his Piranha Plant pal. The carnivorous flower climbed over a decaying log covered in moss to spot the blue hedgehog bound in the Spiky Spikeweed and gagged by the purple goop covering his mouth. As Piranha Plant climbed over the log, Cactus, Rose, and Night Cap peaked over to see the carnivorous flower running to the confined blue hedgehog.

"A hedgehog?" Rose questioned. "That is whatever's maketh that signal?"

"That's not even the strangest thing. Look," Cactus told Agent Rose, pointing out the fact that he was caught in a way they would not expect. "That poor creature's snared by a Spiky Spikeweed and gagged by goop. This was only the work of a Chomper, no doubt." While the three plants were exchanging dialogue, Piranha Plant spat out a fireball that scorched the face of the Spiky Spikeweed, instantly killing it and making it slowly lose its tight grip on Sonic.

"A Chomper?" Night Cap objected. "No Chomper would ever in the right mind do such a thing, especially against a zombie, without our permission. Not even Agent Chomper."

While the three plants finished talking and made their way down the hill, Piranha Plant tugged on the vines still keeping their tight grip on Sonic, which helped the blue hedgehog gain enough air after for however long he was tied up. Sonic quickly squirmed out of the killed vines after feeling them loosen around his wrists, and he clawed off the hardened goop clamping his mouth shut.

"Piranha Plant!" Sonic cried in joy, hugging the carnivorous flower as he licked his face. "I knew you'd find me! What a good boy!"

"Piranha Plant?" Rose asked. "Is that what thou calleth this strange plant?" The blue hedgehog looked up at the three female plants in front of him, clearly showing signs of slight caution.

"Uh… I'm Night Cap, and this is Rose and Cactus," the ninja mushroom introduced herself. "We're agents of L.E.A.F., as you can tell."

"We're just ready to launch an assault mission to retrieve Agent Chomper from Zomboss Mansion," Cactus noted. "Do you think you can help us?"

"That friend of yours is crazy!" Sonic snapped, having just gone through an experience that left him confined by that plant.

"…Cometh again?" Rose asked, showing signs that she and her partners were just as confused.

"You heard me!" the blue hedgehog continued. "He just tied me up and left me here until he comes back from your mission to save the world and ship my flesh off to some foreign restaurant! He was gonna kill me!"

"Calm down, strange creature," Cactus reassured. "You're probably thinking about this the wrong way. The Chomper we know would never do such a thing."

"Oh, I know plenty," Sonic growled. "Now come on! We're gonna break into this mansion and desolate it before anyone notices we're here!" The blue hedgehog grabbed ahold of the Piranha Plant's flower pot and dashed on ahead towards the entrance to Zomboss Mansion.

"Wait! Stop!" Night Cap shouted, running straight after the two fighters. However, once Sonic got to the front entrance, he instantly stopped once the two Giga Gargantuars spotted him. The blue hedgehog, in a panic, skidded on the drawbridge and tried to run back to the plants to avoid a mighty slam from one of the Giga Gargantuars. By the time Sonic and the others hid behind a nearby rock, the telephone pole the Giga Gargantuar swung generated powerful bolts of electricity upon colliding with the drawbridge. The creature struck the rock until it crumbled into rubble.

"This place is too dangerous!" Cactus pointed out. "You're gonna get us killed!" Another bolt of electricity shot out from another Giga Gargantuar, forcing Sonic and the Piranha Plant to jump out from their spot. Rose quickly floated in front of the other two plants, waving her wand and casting a spherical barrier over them.

Sonic began dancing around the Giga Gargantuars all while holding Piranha Plant's flower pot in his gloved hands, avoiding the swinging of those large telephone poles as he and the carnivorous flower made their way to the entrance of the mansion. While Rose, Cactus, and Night Shade began firing needles and seeds at the Giga Gargantuars, Sonic placed Piranha Plant down the second he heard the cellphone still in his quills ring. The blue hedgehog quickly picked up the phone as a response.

"Hi, Sonic!" Sherry called. "Turns out it didn't take long to fix the teleportation device, and it looks like we've already located you and your friends."

"I'm in the middle of a fight right now!" Sonic spoke with frustration in his voice. "Can you pick us up later?"

"We'll try," the Mii Gunner answered before she hung up. One of the Giga Gargantuars had just targeted the two fighters at the main entrance, and it was ready to bash their skulls open with that telephone pole of its. It swung straight for the Piranha Plant, but Sonic quickly got in the way and push against the telephone pole's weight.

The electrical currents flowing from the pole to the blue hedgehog's arms should zap him until he was a burnt pile of ashes, but it somehow didn't affect him. Instead, a raw power spiraled through his quills and emerald eyes, amplifying his power by a thousand the longer he held onto the high voltage. Sonic gritted his teeth and pushed against the Giga Gargantuar's strength, beginning to feel a new kind of warmth that was just about to be released from his fingertips. With a painful yell, Sonic couldn't control himself as a blast of raw energy shot through his fingertips and began to fry the Giga Gargantuar completely. Bolts of blue lightning shot down from the dark clouds, which was bright enough for Agent Kernel Corn to notice as he was helping the Weeds and other plants board the RV Penny.

"What the devil…?" Kernel Corn asked himself as he watched all that lightning strike down upon the earth with enough brute strength for him to notice. He then knew that immediate action had to be taken.

"Agent Citron!" Kernel Corn yelled. A strange orange ball with yellow lines rolled in, and it quickly sprung up to reveal some sort of unpeeled orange with a green goatee and Mohawk, sunglasses, a photon laser cannon, and four citrus slices that served as legs.

"Round up the troops immediately," Kernel Corn ordered. "Gather up every plant belonging in all the Mint classes. We're going full assault upon the mansion."

"Can do, will do," Agent Citron responded as he rolled away, pushing a small band of acorn plants towards Penny.


When the lightning calmed down, an exhausted Sonic had just about enough strength to find out he had also managed to hit the Parrot Pals and Super Brainzes that were diving down towards the three plants and had just been caught in the crossfire. The blue hedgehog had suddenly noticed the Giga Gargantuar that attacked him was fading away into black ashes, with the Imp on its back landing on the drawbridge pretty much dead. The other Giga Gargantuar that somehow survived backed away from the group, not wanting to end up like that.

"I had no idea… I could do that!" Sonic whispered excitedly, marveled even by his own strength. As the alarm rang throughout the mansion, Piranha Plant dragged Sonic along as he, the blue hedgehog, and the three female plant agents squirmed through the open front door.


A loud alarm rang throughout the mansion, alerting all the zombies in the halls and battlegrounds. Some of the zombie swarms tried running towards the location where Sonic and his group broke in, not taking notice of the other three fighters climbing out of a vent in the wall. Terry, Samus, and Inkling all heard the commotion going on in the mansion the second they stood up on the floor.

"What's going on?" Terry asked.

"Sounds like the alarm's activated," Samus answered, holding onto her arm cannon. "But how? Wasn't Sonic supposed to disable it and let the plants in without the zombies taking notice?" Chomper squirmed out of the vent, starting to become worried about what just happened.

"Oh no… oh no… this wasn't supposed to happen!" Chomper growled, enraged that the blue hedgehog managed to escape. The other fighters took that sentence as a fact that Sonic failed to not trigger the security.

"Let's go!" Terry Bogard exclaimed, running off with Samus Aran and Clementine well behind his tail. However, Chomper hacked up a wad of green goop and trapped the Inkling's foot in it, much to her and her friends' surprise.

"It's too dangerous over there," Chomper warned, trying to think of whatever came to his head. "It's highly recommended you stick to the mission and defeat Dr. Zomboss unless you wanna end up like him."

"That's our friend you're talking about, and there's a chance the Piranha Plant's also with him!" the armored bounty hunter objected as she pulled Clementine's leg out of the sticky green goop. "They need us as much as we need them!"

"But you don't understand!" Chomper tried to reason without exposing his beliefs. "He is not who you think he is! And contrary to popular belief, that's saying something!"

"Fine then," Samus responded, not wanting to waste her time hearing a plant hold them back. "If you're not gonna help Sonic, we are." Shortly after, the three fighters ran off, leaving Chomper behind in the halls.

"So… you wouldn't make me talk, huh?" Chomper asked as the three Smashers were far away from hearing range. "I'll find a way to raise my voice and make you listen…"


Turrets with robot faces spawned in from the more intelligent zombies began firing bullets throughout the lab, trying to hit the fast-moving target that was Sonic to no avail. The blue hedgehog was speeding left to right, tearing apart the turrets while Cactus, Rose, and Night Cap were shooting projectiles of their own. Piranha Plant began grabbing ahold of some of the zombies spawning in and threw them around like ragdolls. Eventually, the five-man band got to a large steel door with "Z" marked on its metal after Agent Cactus deployed a wall of different-sized walnuts with faces bound together into a wall by vines, blocking out a wave of zombies trying to claw their way into the lab.

"Quick!" Rose shouted, pulling out a small, green tomato with eyes and a mouth. She fed the tomato some sort of glowing leaf with electrons spinning around it. "Use this Ultomato!" Sonic grabbed ahold of the glowing tomato that was thrown to him, which began to grow until it was fully-ripened and red. A burning energy began to glow inside the heavy tomato, which was about to explore any minute. Thinking fast, Sonic threw the Ultomato at the large steel door and ducked with the others behind the lab tables.

A powerful explosion occurred, melting down the steel door. Sonic, Piranha Plant, and the three agents ran through the door as soon as the smoke cleared. The blue hedgehog and the carnivorous flower looked ahead to see a dark room filled with security cameras that showcased the entirety of the mansion as well as the outskirts of Zomburbia, and right in front of them was a chair with its back turned, showing the letter "Z" imprinted on it.

"So… you'd finally arrived after so many failed attempts to break in," a strange, menacing voice spoke from behind the chair. "Bravo. Bravo indeed." The person behind the chair turned around to face the small group, and he was just a silhouette in the light of the security cams behind him. However, the appearance Sonic and Piranha Plant could piece together was that this hidden figure had a large brain pulsing through his cranium, and he was wearing a white lab coat and black rubber boots.

"Is that the guy you're after?" Sonic asked the three L.E.A.F. agents. "Dr. Zomboss?"

"The exact guy," Cactus answered.

"Agents of L.E.A.F., I had been expecting your sudden arrival," the hidden figure known as Dr. Zomboss addressed in his chilling and frightening voice. "You somehow had broken through my defenses all thanks to the aliens that arrived in Zomburbia. It took ages for the plants to break into my mansion and end a global war, but with your sudden appearance you tore through in the span of a few hours." That last sentence was addressed to Sonic and Piranha Plant.

"Now then… you'll all face a punishment worse than death," Dr. Zomboss continued, exposing dead, lifeless eyes glowing in the dark. Just then, a faint buzzing light brightened up the room, revealing the menacing figure in the chair to be nothing more than a surprised zombie in a lab coat and a large brain. The people in the room turned to the right to see a fat zombie wearing a torn engineer outfit, who just turned on a light switch and brought into the room a heated plate of circular toaster pastries with pink frosting.

"Boss…?" the zombie growled with enthusiasm, ready to offer his leader with a plate of the pastries.

"No, I don't want any Pop Smarts right now," Dr. Zomboss answered in annoyance and a voice that differed from the one he had before. "And you ruined my evil moment! Get out!" The zombie walked away in disappointment, leaving through another door near the light switch.

"On second thought, spare me the Einstein-flavored ones," Dr. Zomboss renounced to the zombie leaving the door.

"Alright… now, where was I?" Dr. Zomboss mumbled, rubbing his forehead with his decaying fingers. He eventually pointed his finger at Sonic and Piranha Plant, yelling in an overexaggerated tone. "Oh yes! Warriors from another planet! Prepare to meet a fate worse than you can imagine!"

"You… kinda ruined the moment with your minion back there," Sonic confessed. "I mean, I was kinda intimidated by you. I was expecting someone more menacing, really."

"Enough games, Dr. Zomboss!" Rose shouted, pointing her wand at the mad scientist in the chair. "We're here to end thy reign and saveth the planet for the good of humanity!"

"End my reign?" Dr. Zomboss asked. "After years of me sending out my Zombots to my past selves?" Sonic, upon hearing that word, began to feel a sense of familiarity and uncomfortableness from it. A strange burning began to heat up in his stomach, filling him with uneasiness. Zombots. That word began to ring in his ears, and he had no idea why he was reacting with such nervousness. A burst of electrical energy spiraled through a shocked hedgehog's quills, confusing both the beings around him and himself greatly.

"I don't know what's happening, but… you might not wanna say whatever you just said in front of the blue one," Night Cap warned the mad scientist.

"What?" Dr. Zomboss asked, keeping a watchful eye on the glowing blue hedgehog. "All I said was I sent out Zombots out to different periods in time and-" A powerful surge of electrical energy began sparking up through the blue hedgehog, generating bolts of lightning from his quills. The cellphone he still kept with him wasn't fried thanks to dumb luck, but that still didn't dismiss the excuse that he was starting to feel such negative emotions from a trigger word that he could not remember existing. The lights on both the security cameras and on the ceiling flickered off as all their drained energy was spiraling towards him.

"Uh… what's going on?" Cactus asked, she and the other two agents backing away.

"Zom… bots?" Sonic asked, his emerald eyes beginning to glow with blue lightning. He clenched his fists upon feeling the raw power just waiting to be released inside of him, ready to burst out like a watermelon squeezed of its juices.

"Uh… yes? You got a problem with that word?" Dr. Zomboss asked in confusion, unaware that the word he used was an unexpected trigger one until it was too late. A powerful surge of blue lightning blasted out through the walls and the ceiling, generating an electromagnetic pulse that knocked out all the lights in Zomboss Mansion. This was also noticed by the zombies as they ran around the place, arming themselves for a big fight.

The electrical surge got far more powerful the more those emotions triggered from the word "Zombots" began to echo in Sonic's head. It was like a sense of trauma, and yet he had no memory of this place. He placed his hands to his head, trying to take in this peculiar feeling of traumatizing nostalgia as his emotions somehow got out of control. Even Piranha Plant and the trio of L.E.A.F. agents backed out of the door in fear that they might get caught in the crossfire.

"Okay… you're scaring me, and I need to go now," Dr. Zomboss responded, now starting to get frightened by the blue hedgehog that was standing in front of him, glaring with glowing-blue eyes and quills that sparkled with electricity. As Dr. Zomboss pushed a button that activated a trapdoor below the chair he sat in. As he disappeared below the rumbling floor, the mad scientist soaked in the appearance Sonic took: a powerful entity that was ready to attack without a second thought. In a twist of anticlimactic events, the mansion began to crumble from the blue hedgehog's sudden temper fit.

A ball of blue lightning began ricocheting off the walls, shattering them and turning them into rubble, and Piranha Plant, Cactus, Rose, and Night Cap took notice. They followed after the enraged Sonic, who was enraged without any memory why. All he saw were glimpses of the metallic creatures he saw in the dream he had before the final battle against Galeem and Dharkon. Was that what those creatures were called? Zombots? Why would they be related to him in any way?

As Samus, Inkling, and Terry ran down the mansion, trying to avoid any rubble from falling on them, they felt a wave of electrical energy pass them by as they ran through the carpeted halls. They had quickly managed to catch eye of Piranha Plant and the L.E.A.F. agents running after him, much to their surprise.

"Piranha Plant!" Terry spoke, hugging the carnivorous flower by his stem. "I'm so happy to see you again! What's going on right now?"

"No time to explaineth!" Rose answered. "We need to escapeth this hovel of a mansion right away!" The fighters ran behind the plants of the group, chasing after flashes of blue throughout the mansion. Soon enough, they got to a large room of the mansion, mainly the main entrance, by which zombies left and right were crushed underneath piles of rubble. Sonic was so focused on hitting the pillars supporting the ceiling that he didn't even notice the same Chomper that captured him standing in the center of the room.

"No!" Agent Chomper spoke as he looked at the destruction in disbelief. "No one would destroy the home of their own creations! Not even Zomboss!"

"Home of their own creations?" Night Cap asked. Chomper turned around to suddenly notice the other agents he worked with by the side of the Smashers.

"What are you doing here with them!?" Chomper exclaimed. "This isn't right! They're working for the bad guy!"

"Why art thou talking of such rubbish?" Rose asked. "This isn't like thou!"

"You see what's going on!?" Chomper tried to explain. "This isn't right in this kind of logic or context! The villain is supposed to be aiding the zombies, not leaving them in the dust!"

"So that's why you tried to stall us?" Samus asked, pointing her arm cannon at the big-mouthed plant. "You thought Sonic the Hedgehog, the fastest thing alive, is a villain in your eyes."

"Again!?" Cactus asked. "We told you before, Chomper: it's all in the past! The legends of the Dark One are all myths! You can't just admit someone's the bad guy just by saying they look like the one we used to fear! Just let it go!"

"I will not let those beliefs go!" Chomper objected, dodging a pile of rubble by his leaf-feet. "You know he's the one who started all this! You know he's the villain!" Clementine, Piranha Plant, Samus Aran, and Terry Bogard all looked at each other with confusion, wondering what they were even talking about. However, with all the chaos going on in the mansion, the safest thing to do is avoid all this talking and just flee the place.

"Come on," Terry told the other three fighters, grabbing ahold of the Inkling's hand and running out with her. Samus and Piranha Plant quickly followed out, leaving the four L.E.A.F. agents in the mansion with an out-of-control Sonic curled up into a ball of violent electrical power.

"Now's not the time to talk about this, Chomper!" Night Cap objected. "We need to leave. Now."

"Not until balance is restored to the world," Chomper snarled, turning towards the hedgehog bouncing around the walls. "And it all starts with ending his life… for the sake of humanity." Just then, the roof began to cave in, ready to fall upon the four plants. Sonic, upon the destruction he was causing, took time to notice what was about to happen unless he did something. There was a little bit of sanity within him as he bounced off a wall and dived straight for Night Cap, Rose, and Cactus, generating a pulse of electricity to shield them from the caving roof.

The Smashers ran out with the surviving zombies out of the collapsing mansion, successfully making it out past the drawbridge and toxic river surrounding the territory. Soon enough, an armada of plants began marching out of the woods, surrounding all parts of the mansion. The zombies, knowing they were completely overwhelmed, dropped their weapons and put their hands in the air, with a brown coat-wearing zombie holding a white flag as a means of surrender. Penny landed in front of the fighters, with the driver seat door opening to let the agents inside it out. A strange, pea-based plant with pods for hands and an hourglass mouth that made kazoo noises ran out of the flying RV, and he was holding the door open for the other agents.

"Thank you, Agent Peashooter," Kernel Corn addressed, glad that the agent preformed such a generous act. Agents Citron, Sunflower, Snapdragon, and the trio of acorns on top of a large stump of oak with a gruff face managed to make it out of Penny.

"Alright! What just happened here!?" Kernel Corn called out, looking at the disarray that happened on the zombie side of the warfare.

"Uh… we can explain," Terry tried to reason. Kernel Corn and the other agents of L.E.A.F. looked at the rubble of the mansion in awe, and they had no idea how to express their feelings.

"Oh my... Did you take down Dr. Zomboss's mansion… all by yourself?" Agent Sunflower asked.

"Well… mostly," Samus answered, making a hand gestures that was on more of a so-so level. As the dark clouds above Zomburbia began to clear, some of the rubble began to move around. The three acorn plants piloted the oak stump they were on, guiding him towards the rubble with the trapped survivors underneath. The oak began to move the rocks out of the way, finding a magical barrier cast by Agent Rose to protect the flower druidess, a non-glowing Sonic, Cactus, and Night Cap. The four fighters and the L.E.A.F. agents ran over to the survivors of the collapsed mansion, helping them out of the rubble once Rose's barrier went down.

"Are you okay?" Terry asked a coughing, dusty Sonic as the blue hedgehog was cradled up in his strong arms. The three acorn plants jumped off the oak's head, helping Night Cap, Cactus, and Rose up.

"Never been better," Sonic answered, quickly squirming out of Terry's arms once he regained enough energy to move around again. "What exactly happened around here? I was just so… lost in my emotions I didn't know what I was thinking. But… I guess your war against the undead is halted for now."

"But… what about Chomper?" Samus asked. "Is he…?" The plants and the five Smashers looked around at the desolated area around them, as well as the zombies that were leashed by vines. From what they saw from the ruined mansion crumbled into ruins, both sides came to the terrifying conclusion of Agent Chomper's absence on their own.

"He was a good comrade," Kernel Corn sighed. "The best out of all of us, though not the brightest. He will be missed. Thank you for helping us win this war, mysterious strangers." The plants in the forces sent to the mansion cheered, glad that the global-scale battle of the zombie apocalypse was finally over.

"Alright, cool," Samus responded, walking to a clearing in the grassy field. "Now can we head back? I'm ready to finish MY mission, and it's a hell of a bounty. When you give out the word to your pals, Sonic." Terry Bogard picked up Clementine by her waist, placing the Inkling on his shoulders as he walked over to the armored bounty hunter.

"Just a minute!" Sonic called out, looking back on Piranha Plant as he hugged Cactus, Rose, and Night Cap farewell. The carnivorous flower licked their faces, coughing away from the plants once he licked Cactus's face and pricked his tongue. Regardless, they laughed at that little gag before Sonic approached them. The blue hedgehog pulled up his cellphone, calling his pals back at the Legacy.

"Okay, we're ready to go," Sonic spoke.

"Alright!" Sherry spoke on the phone. "Just remember to make sure you're all together into one group since we'll be beaming you back shortly." The blue rodent looked back at the three L.E.A.F. agents, knowing they might not be back for quite some time. Sonic gave Rose his cellphone, knowing it was for the better.

"Just remember: no one must know about what happened when we encountered Chomper," Sonic told them. "Let me know what happened once I get back. That phone's hooked to only one number, so just press the button and it'll dial on my end of the reception. And hey: in the future, you might join us. Who knows?"

"Regardless of whatever terrible thing you did in the past to anger Chomper like that… we thank you for helping us win," Cactus spoke. Sonic nodded in understanding, picking up Piranha Plant's pot and dashing back to the three Smashers.

"So, are we ready to head back?" Terry asked.

"We probably are," Sonic answered, suddenly noticing he was starting to glow a faint white. Clementine jumped off Terry's shoulders to find out she was glowing too. Soon enough, all five fighters were teleported out of the world where plants and zombies fought.


Samus, Terry, Sonic, Inkling, and Piranha Plant were all transported back to the teleportation device that sent them away, appearing on the glowing pads of the machine.

"Woo! We did it!" Sieg cheered from the control panel at the other room with R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, and the other two Ultimates Reborn.

"We were afraid you guys were gonna get fused together like some sort of monster," Gilbert resounded. "Glad to see you guys were okay!"

"Woah…" Samus pondered as she and the other three fighters looked around the futuristic place. "Are we on the Legacy? Sure's changed ever since we left…"

"We were kinda busy," Sonic answered as the other Smashers that stayed in Arcus walked over to the transporter. "If you'd like, we can take you back to where you came from."

"You know what?" Terry Bogard acknowledged. "I think I'd like to stay here for a while. Turns out this thing can transport you to other universes. Wanna see them all, y'know? See what secrets have been hidden from my world."

"Ditto," the armored bounty hunter answered as she walked out of the machine. "Besides, wanna reconnect my roots to this place. Do you guys think we can tell the others?"

"First, we might need to find a way on how to," Popo noted. "Perhaps some sort of omniversal service across all forms of communication from their worlds might suffice, whether though magic or this… 'internet' thing people are hooked onto nowadays."

"Perhaps that might work…" Sonic put into notice as he walked out of the room. "I'll be taking a million marathons around Arcus. Let me know once we get to work on such a service."

"Can do," the Mii Gunner answered a split second before the blue hedgehog sped out of the room.


When the pale light of the full moon ascended over the clear skies of Civiltatula, Sonic was chilling on his bed, which felt softer than anything he ever slept in before. However, sleep wasn't necessary for him as he laid awake at night, watching stars generated on the ceiling dance around as though millions of years passed by per second. Just then, a cellphone next to him rang on the desk by his bed, interrupting his moment of peace and tranquility. That cellphone was one he borrowed from Sherry should the plants he gave his phone to call him at any moment. The blue hedgehog snatched the cellphone and flipped it on, hearing an automated message from Night Cap.

"Heya… Sonic?" Night Cap's voice played back on the phone. "Is that how you say his name…? Anyway, it's me, Agent Night Cap. I'm just here to give you a little something on what happened ever since you guys warped off the face of the planet like aliens. If you've managed to pick this up, just know that life is going great for us… outside of the humans not being able to respond to our messages overseas and returning back to the town immediately and now Suburbia's overgrown with plants. But hey! At least we found a solution to global warming. Anyway, the zombies we managed to capture are locked up in quarantine, and we're researching on a way to reverse the effects of the undead. However, once we cleaned up the rubble in Zomboss Mansion, we found that… Agent Chomper's body was absent. And just in time too. We had already elected another Chomper to replace him, and we had just been told about the plant that tried to kill you, like you said. Wherever he is, the original Agent Chomper REALLY hates your guts and might not come back for quite some time. As for Dr. Zomboss… let's just say he's on the other side of the world now and is probably planning something for revenge. Aside from that, things are… surprisingly going okay over there. Hope you're having a good day wherever you guys are. We cannot thank you enough for saving the world in just one day." The message ended, leaving behind an automated message afterwards.

"Message ended," a generated voice spoke from the cellphone. "Please respond after the beep." A short beep played, by which Sonic sighed before giving out his message.

"Hey, Night Cap," Sonic said in a tired voice. "Things are going great back at the planet I'm living on. Got a lot of great friends, far more than I could even imagine. However, I'm still wondering about why would Dr. Zomboss call his creations… 'Zombots.' I haven't even seen them by the time I got here, but for whatever reason I'm… terrified by that word. Almost as if I remembered it before. Whatever happens on my journey throughout the multiverse, I can safely say that I hope I uncover the secrets of a forgotten past of mine. As for your end of the message, hope you guys take care of the zombies once and for all. Sonic out." The blue devil closed the cellphone, placing the device on his desk and relaxing on the bed. Just then, he heard a soft knock outside his room.

"It's Samus. The one in the Power Suit," a familiar voice spoke from the outside.

"Security: unlock," Sonic told the computer in his apartment. The door unlocked and slid open, granting the armored bounty hunter access to the blue hedgehog's place.

"Shouldn't you be back on your ship by now?" Sonic asked as Samus walked over to him.

"Figured I'd be staying here a while, try to find out what you guys did without us," Samus answered, sitting down on the bed. "You've got your own place and everything. I'm impressed. By the way, we're finishing up the service we came up with. We're calling it Smash World, a place where fighters can reconnect with one another, journey throughout different worlds in the multiverse, and keep the doors open to new recruits. Hopefully we find the remaining bearers of the Smash Balls one day."

"Oh great," Sonic sighed, looking out of the large window giving him a bird's-eye view of the city. A feeling of discomfort and sadness filled his stomach, and it was all thanks to the one word mentioned on the planet he was on: Zombots. Something about that word seemed to trigger a feeling that felt familiar to him… and yet didn't due to the fact that he couldn't remember where he got that same kind of feeling before.

"I know that look," Samus spoke, noticing the blue hedgehog looking away from her in a depressed manner. "That's the look of trauma. And the mental type too. I'm no stranger to that kind of thing, and it's the very reason why I don't get along with Ridley."

"Ridley's giving you trouble lately?" Sonic asked in an amusing manner, looking back on the armored bounty hunter which chuckled slightly at that remark.

"Heh heh… depending on whether you remember such a life-scarring moment or not, just know one thing: we're all here together as one happy family," Samus spoke, placing her left hand behind Sonic's ear and scratching it as gently as she could. "No matter what happens, no one can take the friendship we have away from us."

"Yeah… I guess you're right," Sonic responded. "After all, whatever happened long ago to piss off that Chomper all happened in the past. I guess I should stop worrying about the times that have been way behind me." Samus looked up at the ceiling, the lights of the dancing stars reflected in her glowing visor.

"Interesting show you got going on," Samus noted. "Can I stay at your place for a while?"

"Yeah, sure," Sonic answered, scooting over to the side closest to the large window and letting the armored bounty hunter sit down comfortably on the bed. Soon enough, the two fighters relaxed and looked up at the ceiling where a waltz of countless galaxies and star systems danced around the room.

Chapter 92: Building Blocks

Summary:

As more and more fighters assemble once again to hang out at the Legacy, Banjo & Kazooie decide to hang out in a familiar world. Little did they know there would be far more than meets the eye in terms of what lurks beneath the surface...

Chapter Text

The cool breeze of the summer winds blew across a large field teeming with butterflies and wildflowers. The sun was partially blanketed by thin clouds in the air, and a young moose led her two calves to a part of the meadow where they could graze on the vivid grass. Just then, the small family of moose was scared off by the hooves of a horse galloping across the field. Link was shown in his Champion's Tunic attire, riding on a saddled horse and taking in the fresh air of a wilderness-reclaimed Hyrule. The horse he was riding on neighed valiantly as she carried her master towards the large, ruined castle in the distance, which lacked the glow of malice that stung its walls for a hundred years.

Link continued riding his horse into the town surrounding the palace, tying the reins of the horse's bridle to an overhanging branch from a nearby oak tree that grew in the broken central fountain. When the horse hesitated, Link got off the saddle and stroked the horse's mane, calming her down.

"Epona, it's okay," Link hushed, gently rubbing his hand on her forehead. "I'll be gone for a while. The Zelda of this timeline wants to speak with me. You be a good girl and wait until I get back, okay?" The horse snorted, starting to feel safer when she knew her rider was going to be fine. The Champion of Hyrule walked towards the abandoned castle, looking at all the Guardians which were supposed to be protecting the place appear as though they have shut down. Link knew even though it had been ages ever since he rescued Hyrule from evil in another realm to everyone else it was just an hour ago in this one.

Plus, he could have stayed in the timeline where he saved the land from the corrupted Twilight Realm, but then again it was the same old, same old. Why did he choose to stay in another timeline? Why did the fighters he know that live in the same land choose to stay in the timelines they were most comfortable in? He knew that he, Zelda, and Ganondorf all came from the same timeline, but they chose to live in different eras of the reincarnations of the Triforce: Link in the reality where he woke up as an amnesiac after a century of calamity, Zelda in a timeline where the Hero of Time was defeated, and Ganondorf during the Hero of Time's era. Before, all three of them lived in the timeline of the Twilight Realm, and each of them knew it never felt the same without them. But that didn't matter now. All that mattered was meeting up with the Zelda of this alternate reality.

He climbed up the stone stairs to a point in the palace where he would meet the one he sought, shielding his eyes from the rising sun as he made his way up. Soon enough, he managed to find the Zelda he sought, who had vibrant blond hair braided into a crown on her forehead and a white gown covering bare feet.

"Link… I had been patient for your arrival," Zelda spoke in a British voice. During this time, Link remained silent for his interactions with the princess, knowing what she had to say was far more important than the words coming out of his mouth.

"After one hundred years, you had finally smitten the beast which I had been keeping at bay: The Calamity Ganon," the alternate version of Zelda continued. "And for this, my eternal gratitude to you is faithful as always. Though… I had been thinking. Just recently, I had received a letter with a strange emblem embedded on it. Perhaps you would like to give it a read?" Link approached the princess, noticing that in her hands she held a mysterious letter with red wax in the appearance of a Smash Ball. Knowing what this letter meant, the Champion of Hyrule snatched it from the princess's hands once she gave it to him. The Champion of Hyrule opened up the letter, noticing that there was a strange letter within the envelope. It read as followed…


Dear Link, the Champion of Hyrule,

We have been eager to announce your re-arrival to Arcus, where we will be visiting different worlds and learning about the conflicts from other worlds. Would you like to visit the planet now? You can head back to your corner of the multiverse whenever you like, as long as you remember its appearance.

Sincerely,

The Super Smash Brothers

P.S.,

Just press the word "return" in this sentence and you'll be on your way.


After reading the letter, Link looked at the Zelda of this timeline, knowing he might have more duties to attend to in Hyrule. However, the princess responded with an honest opinion.

"Whatever is going on in another realm seems far more important to you than it is to me," she spoke gently. "I will attend to this place on my own. Hope I will meet you again in another timeline, alright?" Link took a good look at the letter, pressing his finger against the word "return", which was marked in red different from the others that were written in black ink. A bright light enveloped the Champion of Hyrule, and it was different from the Sheikah Shrines he used to warp around Hyrule. Link vanished in a flash of light, disappearing in front of the timeline's Zelda in front of her eyes.


Cloud Strife laid out on his bed, letting the faint sunlight from the curtain-covered window soak up in his regular clothes, which were mainly a tank top and shorts with woolen socks compared to his SOLDIER attire. He sighed as he began to remember the planet he was trapped in, on how it all happened. The fact that he was among so many fighters that did not remember a war going on the World of Trophies until ten years later, and even then, he was already prepared after receiving some sort of false vision from the fact that they knew too much. Cut to ten years later, and he joined the crew upon realizing there was something greater than him, and he also took into consideration that he was held captive for ten more.

"I wonder how well they're holding up back at their places," Cloud thought. "Miss them every day." Just then, another person walked into the room. She had dark brown hair, a white tank top, and tight pants that held all her equipment. In her hands, she held some sort of envelop.

"Tifa… What are you doing here?" Cloud asked the woman sitting down on his bed.

"I… just wanted to let you know there's this letter that was mailed to you," Tifa Lockhart answered, giving her childhood friend the letter. "It said it was from a 'Smash World?'" Cloud Drive held the letter in his hands, noticing that it looked more of an invitation considering it had red wax with the emblem of the Smash Ball, just like Link's invitation.

Cloud opened the letter, and it read the same message that Link received except it had addressed Cloud Strife as the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"I suggest you should get dressed, wherever you're going," Tifa spoke. "It looks like wherever you're going seems of far more importance." Cloud left the letter on his bed, heading over to the bathroom and changing from his casual clothing. A few minutes later, he walked out in the SOLDIER outfit he had before. Tifa was sitting on the bed, and she stood up when she saw her sweetheart.

"Hope you can visit me and our friends sometime," Tifa Lockhart reassured. "We'll be waiting for you." She gave Cloud a short kiss on the cheek as a sign of luck, to which he kept his companionship towards her to himself. Without another word, the 1st-class SOLDIER picked up the letter and pressed the red word "return" on it. Soon enough, he was engulfed by a white light, vanishing as he left his childhood friend alone in the bedroom.


The cylinder-shaped hills watched over the Mushroom Kingdom with the eyes they had, gazing upon the laid-out blocks and Coin Boxes that were arranged above the pipes sticking out from the ground. Two iconic figures were dashing across the land, following wherever a Toad with red spots ran.

"Are you sure she's in another castle?" Mario asked. "This is the third time in a week Bowser's kidnapped her!"

"I'm quite sure this time I'm right!" the Toad answered.

"We clearly saw she can defend herself," Luigi responded. "Why would she let herself fall into trouble?"

"He's never learned his lesson, has he?" Mario sighed in annoyance. "We've been talking about this for months! Besides, there's this invitation we all need to accept in order to head back to Arcus to visit our friends and help protect the multiverse."

"I think we're here," the Toad told the Mario Brothers the second he stopped running. Mario and Luigi skidded across the ground, stopping in front of a large castle decorated with gothic interior and the face of a certain shelled beast. The trio entered through the open gates despite the Koopas guarding the walls, running over to where they heard wedding bells ring.

The Toad that accompanied Mario and Luigi stayed behind while his heroes went on ahead, jumping over the lava pits and avoiding the crushing spiked pillars as they jumped on the shells of the Dry Bones and made their way to a drawbridge leading towards a light from within the castle.

The enemies of the Mushroom Kingdom were dressed in the most formal attire they could afford, and they were sitting at the aligned benches. There was a fancy wedding going on, from the white decorations and the fact that Bowser was wearing a white groom suit with a top hat to boot. His Magikoopa Kamek served as the bishop, and Wario was by his side as supposedly the best man for the Koopa King in a black outfit and lacking a hat. Walking down the large room in the space between the aligned benches was Princess Peach herself in her wedding gown, holding a bouquet of tiny Piranha Plants while escorted towards Bowser by Waluigi. The tall mustached man stepped out of the way as Peach faced Bowser, and Kamek read from the book he held.

"Dearly beloved," Kamek crowed. "We are gathered here today to celebrate the wedding between our leader - and single father of the Koopalings - King Bowser Koopa and princess of the Mushroom Kingdom Toadstool Peach. Now then… considering how Bowser often gets impatient for the big moment, we'll skip the vows and jump straight to the short version. Do you, Bowser, accept Princess Peach to be your lawfully wedded wife through thick and thin, through sickness and through health, through life and death until the end of time?"

"I do," Bowser answered. Kamek then turned over to the beautiful bride Peach, with Wario and Waluigi getting ready to present the rings.

"And do you, Princess Peach, accept Bowser to be your lawfully wedded husband through thick and thin, through sickness and through health, through life and death until the end of time?" Peach slightly lowered the bouquet, taking a deep breath as she knew her time had come. She had no real choice in these matters. Before Peach could give out an answer outside of the vowel "I," Mario and Luigi kicked down the door and crashed the wedding. All the enemies turned towards the open door, catching eye of the Super Mario Brothers that entered the place.

"Okay, Bowser," Mario spoke out to the Koopa King. "Enough is enough. I have had it of you taking the princess away from the kingdom as though she was property!"

"Ruining my big day as always, Mario, and you even brought your wimpy brother along with you for the ride," Bowser groaned. "It's not my fault she sees herself as the damsel-in-distress just waiting to get kidnapped from a scary monster like me, and she can't even go outside with me snatching her from my airships."

"But we've been-a through this," Mario groaned, planting his hand on his face. "We've been playing through the same story over and over again, and every time I am always the hero. I've been expecting to go on a date with her, but it never happens."

"Welcome to the friendzone, pal. At least she's ready to accept me as her wife without the use of hypnotism," Bowser responded. "Ain't that right, my love?"

"You know what?" Peach chuckled, dropping the bouquet she held. "I guess I should be taking my leave right now. Any moment now, you're gonna send every one of your minions after us, and I don't want to get caught in the crossfire."

"Uh… I don't mean to be rude, but maybe perhaps Peach should learn how to defend herself? Because we've seen her fight multiple times. It wouldn't make any sense as to why she would allow herself to get kidnapped so many times. Besides, we've got this invitation back to Arcus, and as much as I'd love to sit around and hear you guys go on about how Peach is nothing more than a who-"

"An invitation?" Bowser interrupted, the letter Luigi held peaking his interest. "That sounds a whole lot more interesting than some wedding. What do we do if we're accepted into whatever they planned over there?"

"You… do know there are people watching, and they're hearing every word we're saying, right?" Peach objected.

"Okay, people! Wedding's cancelled!" Bowser called out to his troops. "Get back to your positions!" Soon enough, Bowser's army left the room in grumbling disappointment, leaving only the fighters in the empty room with the Koopalings and Waluigi.

"Whatever this invitation is, the wedding can wait," Bowser growled with glee. "What does it say?"

"It came from what we can assume is Smash World, a campaign that invites all the veterans who fought on another planet to save everyone," Mario answered, snatching the letter from his brother's hands and reading through the letter. "Looks like we'll have to head on over to Sarasaland, Kong Island, Yoshi Island, and the video game simulation Banjo and Kazooie are staying at."

"That sounds fun!" Roy Koopa shouted from the bench at the front with Bowser Jr. and the other Koopalings. "Can we go, boss?" The other six Koopaling generals clamored with excitement, and even Bowser's only son agreed to it.

"Alright, alright," Bowser chuckled, walking over to the eight Koopalings and rubbing his son's head. "I guess you can all tag along for now. Need to get back that Piranha Plant after he was abducted from my top lines of defense."

"So… I guess we should forget the fact that Peach got kidnapped?" Mario asked.

"I guess so. Looks like we'll call it a truce," Bowser responded, pulling the cloth off the altar table and revealing a large Koopa Clown Car in case of an emergency. The Koopa King and the Koopalings all hopped in, by which everyone in the room climbed in. Waluigi was about to climb in, but Wario stopped him in his tracks.

"Sorry, pal," Wario answered. "Looks like only top professionals can enter through Smash World."

"But… Wah! I can prove to you that I can fight!" Waluigi objected. However, the moment Wario climbed in, the large Koopa Clown Car flew out of the large stain-glass window and shattered it, flying out into the clear blue afternoon sky. Only a sad Waluigi was left behind, rejected from his big moment to shine and push his way to the top ranks.


Deep within Click Clock Wood, Banjo was walking through the forest to clear his mind of the war he participated in. He had been walking around the river bend for quite some time, remembering the peaceful days that had occurred when he wasn't fighting against the light and the darkness. Kazooie poked out from the backpack Banjo had been carrying, breathing in the fresh air through the nostrils on her beak.

"How many times are you gonna be in this same part of the video game, Banjo?" Kazooie asked. "We've been around this forest."

"I'm just… trying to remember what happened ever since we got back here," Banjo answered.

"Banjo, you do know nothing has literally changed before we left, right?" Kazooie objected in a doubtful voice, scratching the back of her head with one of her wings. "Whatever you're looking for, I doubt you'll find it here…" The bipedal bear then caught eye of a square-shaped hole on the forest floor, noticing how there were pixelated cobwebs covering it. They seemed to collect the dust as they remained untouched, with leaves and sticks protecting them from what appeared to be ages of weather. Despite surviving through it all, the cobwebs wore off, leading deep into the pixelated caverns below.

"Here it is," Banjo told his Breegull friend. "The only way into the world of Minecraft."

"Minecraft?" Kazooie cooed in confusion. "I thought we agreed to stay away from that place after what happened!" Despite his friend's objections, Banjo walked over to the strange hole, brushing away the cobwebs protecting it and looking deep into the darkness of the pit.

"I just want to return to the place that helped us discover we were far beyond special," Banjo told the bird living in his backpack. "Besides, Tooty won't be bothered by Gruntilda for quite some time after we took care of that evil witch."

"Yeah, it was kinda funny frying her death robot's circuits and watching her land on her face instead of her butt," Kazooie responded, trying to keep a straight face and hid her beak in her wings as she remembered that fight they had with Gruntilda earlier. She was so lost in the thought that she forgot Banjo jumped into the pit and was now sliding down the square hole, much to her dismay.

It only took about thirty seconds until Banjo & Kazooie emerged from the hole. The bear landed on his feet, feeling them sink into the soft forest floor. He wiggled his toes around, taking notice of how delicate those pixels felt. The woods he and Kazooie appeared in seemed to be a forest of spruce trees, with the cubic sun in the sky partially covered up by square clouds.

"Hm… looks different than the first time we appeared here," Kazooie cooed, knowing that this place did not feel like déjà vu at all. "Before, it was an oak forest. Wonder what happened…"

"Don't know," Banjo responded. "But it looks like we might have to look for the place I have been searching for…" The Breegull in his backpack ruffled the needles shedding from the spruce trees, and her bear friend managed to walk out of the forest into a grassy field. Mountains grew out from the background, with sheep and cows grazing the tall grass and flowers on the meadow. They didn't really care for the bipedal bear walking towards what he presumed was a village, with his bird companion poking out of the blue backpack once in a while.

When Banjo and his best friend Kazooie arrived at the village, they were surprised to see new faces that were different from the big-nosed civilians they associated with before. For one thing, they moved around freely, each one in a unique skin that made them differentiate from the others. They all moved stiffly and rigid, just like the spawnable mobs of this realm, the way they were supposed to. Many of these new faces were building contraptions that they never thought possible, ranging from simple artwork to highly detailed sculptures and inventions that would put Leonardo da Vinci to shame.

"Wow…" Kazooie cooed, marveled by the structures that were being built by so many people. "I never thought so much has happened ever since we left."

"Me neither," Banjo responded, walking over to a weaving booth. "There have been so many things added into the game that we missed out on. It's gonna be a while before we get used to these new changes…" Before the bear-and-bird duo could look at any more of the new updates, a mysterious mob bumped into them by accident. Some of the other players backed away as peculiar swirls generated from the mob Banjo & Kazooie ran into. This player looked exactly like the Steve they once knew, except he noticeably lacked the beard that looked like a smile and he moved and looked just like the other players without being hyperrealistic and uncanny. Banjo, upon looking at the player, started to remember the last time he and Kazooie were there: watching their old friend grow more demented and insane upon the changes he took, each one for the worst. It was a sign of trauma that would never go away. He was so lost in those memories that he didn't even notice a bell in the village ringing loud and clear, signaling the other players to prepare for an invasion of raiders and tusked creatures they rode on.

"Banjo? Banjo!" Kazooie snapped, poking his head with her beak and snapping him out of his trauma. "There's a raid going on! Stop getting lost in your fantasy world!" Dispensers hooked onto redstone repeaters were set up, and multiple players shot crossbows at the front lines of the village raiders while others set up cannons made out of pistons shooting lit TNT blocks at the strange beasts that charged towards the houses. Iron golems were built to keep back the big-nosed raiders that managed to get past the lines of defense, and Banjo & Kazooie had no idea what was going on as they saw some of the pillagers shoot flaming crossbows at some of the houses. The player the anthropomorphic duo bumped into hit them with his fist, pushing them away from the conflict going on. As soon as they were at a safe distance within the woods, the swirls around the player vanished.

"What in the Jinjonator's good green earth is going on!?" Kazooie cawed. "We don't remember this part of the game at all!" Banjo looked at the peculiar character, taking a good look at the Steve look-alike they just bumped into. He seemed to act more frightened and curious compared to the original Steve they got friendly with before. The playable character backed up near a tree, wondering what this non-pixelated creature he stumbled upon was doing here.

"Hey there…" Banjo spoke, keeping his distance from the frightened person. "We're… kinda new here. And by that, I mean we have just arrived here after what felt like an eternity. I'm Banjo, and this is my best friend Kazooie. Would you be so kind as to tell us what's going on?"

At first, the player got cautious of the duo instantly, but he did not draw any weapons until he found out they could speak in a language he understood. Still trying to keep his guard up, the player pulled up a notebook and feather dabbed with ink, opening it and writing in it. He tore out the page he wrote and gave it to Banjo, with Kazooie reading the message over his shoulder.

"Hello there, strange creatures," the message read. "What you have just witnessed was a major update in Minecraft, which included village raiders. I just so happened to bring them here with a special curse that draws these mobs in. As for my name, I don't exactly have one, and I'm often referred to as the Player by a bunch of others like me. Loads of us gather here, and we all collaborate on the greatest of ideas." Banjo looked at the note, noticing how the Player wrote on paper instead of speaking. Perhaps there were some things that haven't changed about this realm at all.

"How about we call you… Steve?" Banjo asked. "You kinda remind us of your old friend, y'know." The strange character thought a long while about that thought, taking only a few seconds before he came to a conclusion by himself. He wrote in his notebook again and pulled out a sheet of paper for Banjo & Kazooie to read.

"I guess that sounds like a good name," the note read. "Steve. Rings in my ears. What am I saying…? You two need to leave this place. More updates means more dangerous monsters to fight against. What are you two even doing here to begin with?"

"Uh… I think you're taking this the wrong way, pal," Kazooie responded. "We've been fighting against a literal angel of death and a Lovecraftian cosmic horror, the both of which were brothers with family and anger issues. I doubt you would understand considering you probably don't remember what happened."

"Come on… Steve," Banjo noted, holding out his paw for the Player to hold on to. "We've got somewhere to be in this place. It would be glad if you came along with us, and we could reconnect our roots to this place." The beardless Steve looked at the bipedal bear for a while, taking his hand upon curiosity. After taking Banjo's hand, Steve pulled open his notebook once again and write in it. He gave the written note for the bear-and-bird duo to read once more.

"Tell me exactly where we're going?" the note asked.

"You'll see once we get there," Banjo pointed out. "Follow us. We'll take you to a very special place." Their new blocky companion followed the animal duo into a nearby forest, the likes of which did not change in the dark oak trees that grew in its thick landscape.


In what appeared to be some sort of semi-futuristic setting set deep within a city, Mega Man was busy typing away on a keyboard with the research he was datamining from his code presented on a green holographic screen. Rockman was presented in more casual clothing, wearing nothing more than a white t-shirt with blue shorts and sporty socks paired with green sneakers. The helmet he wore was not present on him at the moment, and there was instead a wig of glossy dark blue flowing in messy waves to the back of his head. A USB cord was connecting his wrist to the computer he was typing away on, looking through the billions upon trillions of numbers that flew across the screen.

They were all the messages he interpreted as speech patterns, and multiple lines of dialogue vanished as quickly as they were discovered. Even with all that information, there was one thing that bugged Mega Man: that one message he heard while he was with his pals in the labyrinth of Hyrule 2.0. It left him confused and intrigued about the world they live in, wondering if there was a way to recover the memory within his databanks in the hopes that he might find what he was looking for.

"One result found," an automated voice from the computer spoke. The flying messages all vanished to reveal one line of code on the screen. However, what made it stand out from the others was the fact that it was corrupted and glitching, probably as a result of all the digits within it going crazy and just rapidly switching through them at random. Rockman's eyes widened as he found what he was looking for. He dragged his mouse across the screen and clicked play on the file. However, before the audio file could play, a warning message was displayed on the screen.

"Are you sure you want to continue?" the automated voice message asked. "This file contains massive threats of an unknown virus. Any attempts on playing the audio will cause major consequences to the system overload and malfunction database. Viewer digression is advised." In annoyance, Mega Man clicked yes, and upon doing so a loud screeching noise played back on the speakers. They were about to damage his hearing system until he managed to type on his keyboard some settings to edit the sound until it was tolerable enough to hear what was being said.

"You will pay for this!" the replayed voice snarled. "When I get back, I will drag you down to a place where there's no heaven, no hell – just nothing! Nothing as empty as the Mother's shell! She will live on! Do you hear!?" As the audio was played on loop, the blue bomber pulled out a USB device and hooked it to the computer, waiting until it was connected so he could dissect the audio feedback one part at a time. His fingers rapidly danced on the keys on the board, behaving like a supercomputer as he tried to look for results. However, since it was a corrupted file, all he got was different sounds that were loud and untranslatable with the technology he was using. At that time, the USB file he attached to the computer managed to save that same file into itself.

"I know there's supposed to be something here," Mega Man groaned in frustration. "But what could it be…?" It wasn't long before the corrupted file glitched the computer and obliterated it completely. A small explosion banged out of the computer through the keyboard, and the computer burned down as a result. Wires and microchips flew across the room, and Rockman put down his hands after he shielded himself from the small explosion.

"Dammit!" Mega Man snapped, slamming his hands on the desk after noticing that the computer blew up. He pulled the surviving USB file from the broken computer, relieved that it wasn't broken. All he hoped was that there was a computer more powerful than the one he used to play back on the file. Just then, the door to his room opened, and in walked a young girl with blonde hair with bangs tied up in a ponytail by a green ribbon bow and blue eyes, wearing a red dress and shoes that complimented her. She gazed in shock upon the desolated workplace, and the blue bomber was caught in it.

"Oh my…" the girl pointed out. "What happened here!?"

"Roll!" Mega Man noted, cleaning up his mess by moving all the pieces on his desk into one pile. "I was busy working here until the computer's circuits just sorta… burned out."

"What was it you were working on, exactly?" Roll asked, with Mega Man hiding his hands behind his back and unhooking his wrist from the cable. A small metal cabinet opened up behind his white t-shirt, to which he quickly shoved the USB file in.

"Wait. Don't answer that question," Roll noted as she pulled out some sort of disc. "A message from some… Smash World campaign arrived for you recently. I think it needs you to head over to their place." Mega Man looked at the disc that was offered to him, and it played with an automated message accompanied by dancing lights on top of its smooth surface.

"Hello there," the automated voice played from the disc. "You have been selected to participate in our new Smash World campaign, where we invite brave warriors from all over the multiverse to participate in get-togethers that are never going away at any time soon. Hang out with friends from other worlds. Fight intergalactic forces threatening balance beyond the stars. Feel free to join at any time and meet with familiar faces as well as some new ones. You can press the disc at any time."

"Sounds interesting," Mega Man noted, letting a glowing blue light envelop him as he transformed into his battle form. "Just let Dr. Light know that I'm gone, okay?" Roll gave him a wink as she knew what Rockman wanted to tell her, and she gave the disc to the blue bomber. With one press, Mega Man was transported to another realm in a bright light. Once Roll was alone in the room, she walked over to the shattered computer that laid around in pieces. She clearly recalled the fact that Mega Man was playing some sort of loud audio, but the circuits in her senses couldn't decipher what the screeching was.

She approached the glitching screen, noticing the strange symbols that the virus left upon impact. Some of the letters even looked like the ones Marx had on his horns, which added up to the explanation that they came from the same language not of this world… or any other. It was almost as if it was a combination of all worlds associated with it, and the language itself faded in obscure levels of memory. Roll, upon looking at the damage, knew whatever Mega Man was researching might either give them the answers for other worlds… or do far more damage than breaking a computer.

Either way, Roll mentally noted the thought of that fear of the unknown within her microchips.


Sonic and the other fighters staying in Arcus waited in front of the transporter, already anxious for the other fighters they invited to arrive. Ren Amamiya was the first one to arrive, and he was in some sort of school academy uniform wearing a pair of glasses. On his shoulders rested a black cat with white markings. Terry Bogard walked over to the student, chuckling as the two hugged in greetings.

"Hey there, kid," Terry spoke, breaking apart the hug. "Nice to see you back here."

"Yeah, we just finished the second semester's finals and we're now on summer break," Ren responded, rubbing the back of his neck as the cat he had jumped onto the floor. "Figured I'd hang out for a while after that app you made installed itself onto my phone, and it looks like Morgana decided to join me too."

"Anything for a friend," Morgana mewed, licking his paw and scratching his hand. The transporter activated again, and this time Link stepped out of the transporter. The Champion of Hyrule was still starting to adjust to the fact that some magical piece of paper brought him back to this place. Talk about a jump in technology.

"Uh… is this the right place?" Link asked, surprised when he spotted a few familiar faces. Just right behind him appeared Young Link and Toon Link, as well as the Zelda, Sheik, and Ganondorf they partnered with during the battle against Galeem and Phoenix.

"There are the reincarnations of the Triforce we all know and love!" Sonic laughed, hugging each one of the fighters from Hyrule before giving a noogie to Ganondorf much to his annoyance. Once the fighters stepped off, more lights appeared on the transporter. Out walked the Pokémon Trainer and the Pokémon that were labeled as Smashers.

"I received your message," Red pointed out, pulling up an invitation with the red wax in the form of a Smash Ball. "Took me a while to find all the Pokémon that fought alongside us."

"I received the message through my own powers," Mewtwo answered. "It was kind of difficult considering the nature of this body."

Soon enough, the lights on the transporter flashed one by one, and out walked multiple fighters from other realms reappeared back on the Legacy. They were all crowded into the quite small room, looking at the place as though a lot of things had changed.

"MK! Fox! Snake!" Sonic laughed, gathering the three fighters into a group hug. "I'm so happy to be seeing you again!"

"We can say the same for you," Fox McCloud noted. "What exactly happened here?"

"We've been busy for a few months," Sonic answered, breaking apart the group hug. "It sure looks like only the fighters returned. Wonder if any other people accepted our invitations…"

"Hold on a second… where are the bear and bird?" Snake asked, looking around the place. "I could've sworn they're invited back to here…" The chattering of the other fighters quieted down as the Mii Gunner spoke out.

"May I have your attention, please?" Sherry told the other fighters. "Welcome back to Arcus… or the Legacy, of course. As you can see here, there's been a few changes compared to what we had before. Thought we'd invite you back here so you can travel across the multiverse and bring balance and stuff. In the meantime, why don't you hang out in some of the guest rooms aboard the Legacy? You can head back to your planets at any time, as long as you remember what they look like." The fighters in the room began to head out, and the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn caught eye of Mario leaving. Gilbert laid a hand on the red plumber's shoulder, catching the fighter's attention.

"Hey… do you know where Banjo & Kazooie are?" Gilbert asked. "We haven't seen them around here and are wondering where they went off to."

"We were going to ask you the same question-a," Mario answered. "We've been looking through the place where the bear and bird lived, and we asked the locals and Banjo's sister Tooty. None of them have seen them outside of a couple of red feathers. Did you abduct them or something?"

"Why would we?" Sonic responded. "I've caught eye of every Smasher in this room, and we haven't seen them." The iconic red plumber moved away, placing a hand under his chin.

"Wherever they might be, I hope they accept their invitation soon," Mario answered. "Otherwise we're going after them."

"Hope they don't get in trouble," Sonic answered. Eleven was all ears during the conversation, hiding behind the wall near the open door and listening to every word of it. The Hero walked away into the futuristic halls, looking for the leader of the Phantom Thieves. He managed to spot Ren about to enter his room on the ship, with Morgana arching near his feet.

"Hey… Joker?" Eleven asked. "Do you know if Banjo & Kazooie are around here?"

"Can't say that I have," the student answered, bewildered by the slide door that opened up for him. "Why are you asking?"

"…Do you remember when we reunited with the duo in Dharkon's version of Hyrule?" Hero responded in the form of a question. "When Bowser Jr. possessed by Kaos met us in the labyrinth while we were trying to get the gold back for the Gerudo from NiGHTS? He sent forth some sort of slime that, according to Banjo & Kazooie, was an uncanny, nightmarish version of the friend they once knew."

"God, Ireburn," Joker gagged, walking in and letting Morgana lie down on the only bed in the room. "Nobody doesn't even want to remember that incident, and I doubt Morgana wants to if I told him all the details down to the goriest."

"Well… after the story he told us, I think I know exactly where he went," Eleven answered. "But we're gonna need a little help from a few of our pals."


Deep in the world of Minecraft, Banjo & Kazooie with their new pal Steve stopped in front of a large dark oak forest, with blocky skeletons and zombies hiding in the shades of the pixelated leaves. They admired how the place hadn't even changed ever since they got here. It just felt sort of natural to the world they revisited. Steve wrote in his notebook, presenting the torn piece of paper to the bear and bird.

"Are you sure this is the place?" the note asked.

"We're sure," Kazooie cooed. "Ready to lead the way, Banjo?"

"Ready," Banjo answered, taking a step forward into the forest with Steve following behind him. As the two made their way through the woods, a couple skeletons shot their arrows in front of Banjo's nose, hitting the trunk of a tree. Steve hid behind the duo in the fears that he didn't have any strong weapons outside of a couple sticks and a stone pickaxe. However, the anthropomorphic duo got that covered.

"Alright, Kazooie," Banjo noted, throwing the Breegull like a spear. "Let's see if that beak of your is strong enough to pick their skulls out!" Kazooie cawed with glee as she danced around the flying arrows, hitting the skeletons and killing one of them. The other skeleton fired an arrow straight at her, but she quickly flew back into Banjo's backpack and watched as the arrow hit a zombie. Enraged, the zombie charged at the skeleton and attacked it. While the two undead monsters fought each other to the death, Steve wrote a note to the two confused monsters.

"I forgot to mention," the note read. "They've updated this world so that skeletons can be attacked by other mobs they've hit, monsters included. Should we get going to that place you two wanted to show me?"

"Yeah, let's go," Banjo answered, grabbing Steve's arm and running off deeper into the dark oak forest. Eventually, the two stopped in front of a peculiar hill. The mound of dirt was not pixelated or blocky. It was instead covered in dead moss that became more hyperrealistic as it got closer to the mound. There were rusty needles poking out of the entrance, which was sealed tight by a bunch of bedrock that surrounded it on all sides. Placed on top of the mound in picture frame was some sort of enchanted diamond sword.

"This… this is what we wanted to show you… as well as the reason why we came back," Banjo sighed. "There was a friend we made here, just like you. He was kind, brave, loved spilling secrets to us by which we would keep, never spoke, and was honestly a really chill guy. Then… we stumbled across this place. We ran out because we were afraid of what might happen to us. He chose to venture forth because he was determined. And through that determination… he became corrupt. He died just as he lived: a cold, heartless monster. Those song parodies he played for us were just a distraction from the real threat. That sword you see hung on that mound? That was his favorite weapon. And the place itself…" Steve looked at the strange place for a while, letting the thought that this was a grave sink into his blocky head. The bear then held the Player's shoulders, staring deep into those two pixels that were Steve's eyes.

"Listen to us, and listen well," Kazooie ordered. "No matter what you do, do not make the same mistake we did. Do not go near that godforsaken place."

"It holds a powerful force we do not yet understand, and it will bring terrible luck upon those unfortunate enough to enter," Banjo responded. "There is a good reason why we blocked it off with bedrock. Whatever happens, it's best if you stay away from here. Even though it's a tomb, it's also a spell keeping this world away from the terrors she'll have in her sleep. Please… for your health and sanity. The Steve we once knew before you vanished in an instant. All that remained of him was an empty, nightmare-fueled shell. And we don't want the same to happen to you." Steve flipped open his book, writing a message and giving it to Banjo & Kazooie.

"Then why did you come here?" Steve's note asked. The bear and the Breegull looked at the character in front of them, not knowing what to say without sounding like they didn't care for their old friend in the first place. Their gazes trailed across the ground, sighing as they walked off into the dark oak forest. They didn't even notice that Steve was staring at the lonely tomb covered in cobwebs and dust. Ominous voices began to grow louder when Steve approached the tomb, not really paying that much mind to them until he got closer.

The voices seemed to be getting more ominous and unnatural once Steve got close to the needles sticking out from the ground. Accompanied by the strange language was a deepened and threatening voice that offered a translation for the curious Player reaching for the needles without knowing it.

Uiopiauiopuiueasyl éshtcrauea Espceaueaueasyl umbrzah Iluealnoumbrsylsāhn. (Awaken the Queen of Demons.)

Zahëgueauea craueaëg ootëgueauioéshtueasāhnésht sāhnumbrnaiilnéueaëgsāhn. (Free her greatest soldiers.)

Ceasylnaiueauiosāhncra Ceaëgætchceaéshtuionaiceaüricra! (Unleash  Uryutaluch!)

Without even thinking, Steve pricked the end of his blocky arm on one of the needles, and he quickly backed away from the sharp pain. A tiny red pixel that was supposedly blood dripped out, and the voices seemed to have stopped wailing. The picture frame then faded, and the enchanted diamond sword inside it dropped in front of the bedrock mound, floating like an item. As though Steve was a magnet, the diamond sword disappeared into his inventory.

"Steve! Come back here!" Banjo called out from the forest. Steve snapped out of his trance, and he ran after the friendly duo without even thinking of the sword he got in his inventory. From where he stood, tiny, boney hands dug out from the ground, with a long, humanoid snout mixed between a human and a rat clawed its way out. A strange, hyperrealistic rodent creature mashed up with a doll and fleshy pieces of meat loosely stitched together like Frankenstein's monster crawled out from the ground, with the rusty needles serving as quills and its tail squirming around its behind like a wriggling worm. The creature was blind until it opened up a single eye on its forehead. The abomination's throat gurgled as it followed the scent of the needle that carried itself on Steve, scurrying across the ground and frightening even the undead creatures that lived in the dark oak forest.


Sonic was in some sort of research lab on the Legacy, flipping through textbooks upon textbooks from cover to cover per second. There was some special kind of information he tried to find pacing through the pages that he just got easily frustrated over. He groaned as he flipped the last book over his head, sitting on a rolling chair so roughly he spun in it with his hands buried into his face.

Something happened in the world with that Zomburbia town, and he couldn't figure out what. He found information of the other fighters, but even then, they were all vague descriptions of themselves. There wasn't any real information on their backstories and motives, and his was no different. However, there were a few details to their backstories that he found out about them, like how Cloud's sword was a gift from his closest comrade Zack Fair… and how Ness and his pals fought against an intergalactic force. All Sonic found about his bio in all the books he read only told of him rescuing his home planet from robot forces led by an evil, egg-shaped scientist. This didn't answer the fact that he had no idea what the hell Zombots were. Perhaps he looked through too fast. Perhaps he missed a page.

"Trouble with something?" an ominous voice asked behind Sonic's chair. The blue hedgehog jumped out from his seat, the chair he was sitting in turning to face a familiar Legendary Pokémon.

"Mewtwo!" Sonic chuckled, trying to hide the sweat in his quills. "I did not expect you here to show up all of a sudden. At least remind me before you scare me."

"From the mess you made in the lab, I can assume you got angry trying to find something," Mewtwo telepathized, staring at the disordered pages lying on the floor outside of the empty covers. With a simple flick from his glowing, three-fingered hand, the Pokémon assorted all the pages back into their textbooks and rearranged them back on their shelves as though nothing had happened.

"Remind me again what you're doing here," Mewtwo continued. "You have gotten quite curious as to the origins of your past." The blue hedgehog sighed, resting his elbows on the desk near himself and resting his hands behind his head.

"…Can you keep a secret?" Sonic asked. "If by chance you were to scan my mind about the first thing I'm thinking of, would you not tell anyone?"

"I can't break a promise I'm intended to keep," Mewtwo telepathically answered. "Now then… let me see what I can do." The Pokémon's eyes flashed as he gazed at the blue hedgehog. At that time, Sonic was thinking about the man who spoke in hands: William Dexedrine Gaster.

"…There was nothing," Mewtwo responded with a bit of surprise in his telepathy. "Normally, my own powers work with what others are thinking with the simplest of words. Quick: what did you think of?"

"A man who speaks in hands," Sonic answered. "That's what I thought of…"

"I couldn't find anything of what you were thinking of," Mewtwo answered. "All I saw was an empty space. Try thinking of something else." Sonic then began thinking of the metallic zombies inside the memory he experienced before, as well as the one word somehow tied to them: Zombots. Once again, there was no response.

"That's strange…" Sonic noted. "I thought you were capable of peering into anyone's darkest thoughts."

"I know that," Mewtwo groaned telepathically. "I get it all the time. I don't understand why it isn't working… but I guess there's only one possible solution: whatever you know, no one else of flesh and bone must look into it." The two fighters then heard a muffled explosion from the room next to them, alongside the angered beeping and glitching swears from an enraged Mega Man. The two quickly made their way over to the blue bomber's room in the blink of an eye, surprised of the pieces of what was once a computer scattered across the floor with a tiny pile of wires and plastic on a sooty desk in front of Mega Man. The android was starting to get enraged to the point where he held his breath and let his face turn red to a point of a boiling level. The metallic coating was literally hot enough on his forehead to fry an egg.

"I just don't get it!" Mega Man shouted, pulling the USB device from what remained of the laptop, talking as though he knew Sonic and Mewtwo were right behind him this while time. "I've tried everything from every single number in my data and files, and I still can't figure out why the most powerful computer on this ship isn't strong enough to let me edit a damn file properly!"

"Hey… anything the matter?" Sonic asked. Mega Man turned around furiously, the lights in his eyes flipping through multiple colors. He unhooked the USB from the rubble, and he stormed right towards the two fighters.

"I've been trying to find out some secret meanings and messages about that Stevepost we encountered," Mega Man groaned. "I'm hoping that with the most powerful technology ever we could try to figure out what kind of secrets guys like him were keeping from us."

"Just calm down," Sonic answered. "There's probably a logical explanation for all this, and we hope you can find a computer powerful enough to… run that file of yours." Running past the open door were the Hero and Joker, who was in his Phantom Thief attire. The two stopped by the three fighters, much to their surprise.

"I think we know why Banjo & Kazooie haven't shown up yet," Ren told them. "They're both in a place we think they went off to. Follow us to the transporter." The two fighters ran off, with Mega Man dashing out from his working chair.

"Wherever Joker and Eleven are going, I hope that place has a strong computer," Rockman spoke to Mewtwo and Sonic. The Pokémon floated out of the room, leaving Sonic alone. Just then, a glitching aura appeared next to the blue hedgehog, and the semi-transparent miniature face of W.D. Gaster scared him.

I sense a terrible presence afoot, Gaster noted. You must go to where they travel off to.

"Don't scare me like that!" Sonic snapped. "At least give me a warning that you're gonna pop up out of nowhere!"

I apologize for my inconvenience, Gaster responded. Keep in mind of the message I told you…

"As long as you fan the eternal burning flame, find the demons who call her name," Sonic repeated in a tad bit of sourness in his tone. "I get it. And next time you show up… just appear only during appropriate times." The miniature face of Gadget's glitching face disappeared, and the blue blur dashed off towards the transporter where Mewtwo and Mega Man met with Hero and Joker.

"Uh… where's Morgana?" Mega Man asked.

"Peach is taking care of him," Ren Amamiya answered, tightening the collars on the ends of his sleeves. "She's honesty a very good cat person despite never actually owning a cat before." Sonic the Hedgehog, Mega Man, and Mewtwo all stepped on the platforms of the transporter, wondering where they would all be dropped off at.

"Next stop… Click Clock Wood!" Ireburn spoke. With the simple name of a location, the machine automatically activated, with the pads underneath the five fighters glowing underneath them. In flashes of light, they vanished from the Legacy, with a bypassing Pikachu confused as to who used it.


Near the square-shaped hole from where Banjo & Kazooie jumped out from, the bear-and-bird duo were just about ready to depart from the place.

"Well, that trip to the memorial sure was fun," Banjo spoke as though Steve was right behind them. "To be fair, we were not expecting a raid to go on in that village where we first met you." However, Kazooie noticed that from the distance, the companion they went with simply headed back to the village that was attacked earlier.

"Uh… Banjo?" Kazooie asked.

"I hope you learned that there are some things you shouldn't mess with," Banjo went on, ignoring Kazooie's objection and looking away from the fact that Steve was not with them. "The truth about the question you asked earlier is… we had a friend that looked just like you, albeit a few notable differences."

"Banjo…" Kazooie added, spotting the one-eyed eldritch rat thing scurrying towards the village with fear now in her green eyes.

"When he entered that place, he began to change," Banjo went on with sorrow in his voice. "We tried to help him change, but he said he was already saved from the insanity that took control of him. Kazooie and I… we didn't notice that transformation until it was too late…" The bipedal bear was snapped out of his monologuing by a rough peck on the head, to which he responded with a simple "Ow!" and rubbing with his paw.

"Are you gonna continue your motivational speech or look behind you!?" Kazooie snapped. "Steve went back and you didn't notice! There was also some sort of creature that followed behind him. I don't know what it wants with Steve, but it's probably nothing good…"

"The village?" Banjo asked. "Hey wait up! I was about to tell you something!" The bear dashed off into the field, running towards the houses that were being rebuilt by the other players. The two animals looked at the place in wonder, surprised that a utopian city was built from where was once the village. Power of a few players in the game, they guessed. Regardless, the numbers of those civilians grew multiple times to the point where it was hard to spot Steve from within the incoming crowd.

"Hey… has anyone seen Steve?" Banjo asked some of the players passing by. "He went with us and… he kinda departed from us. We just wanna say goodbye to him before we go…" Despite trying to ask the blocky characters, they seemed to ignore the bear's question. Kazooie then caught eye of Steve walking into a large blacksmith shop that was right around the corner.

"Banjo! Quick!" Kazooie tugged on the backpack she was resting in, alerting her bear friend. Banjo managed to spot the leg of their blocky friend walk into the blacksmith store, and he instantly ran inside the building, unaware of the strange rat creature that crawled its way through the bars on the windows.

Even though there were chimneys present throughout the building, there was plenty of smoke that watered Banjo's and Kazooie's eyes and clogged their noses with the terrible stench of smelting pig iron. The bear-and-bird duo could make out the fact that there were furnaces and cauldrons filled with lava, and on the other side of one of the rooms were iron doors where giant golems of steel walked in with blocks of what looked like to be some sort of ancient debris. The golems began pulling out rusty-black scraps from the furnaces and began loading the debris in the empty ones, tossing the scraps and gold ingots into the cauldrons. With their strong hands, the iron golems stirred the lava until they pulled out a glowing-hot ingot that fizzed and cooled to a smooth black once shoved into the water pits. The new ingots were then given to a bunch of players, who traveled deeper across the building and began merging the ingots with their diamond tools on what appeared to be smithing tables.

"Uh… excuse me!" Banjo called out to one of the players. "Can you tell us where Steve is?" The player he talked to was wearing some sort of green hoodie with a gamer headset, and he quickly wrote in his notebook and passed it to the bear.

"I think I spotted your friend on the other side of the blacksmith building," the note read. "Good luck trying to get to him, because these netherite ingots are booming right now. They're even stronger than diamond tools. Can you believe that?"

"Thank you for your time," Kazooie coughed, covering her beak to prevent any more smoke from entering her lungs. Banjo dashed through the building, trying to keep an eye out for Steve as they tried not to inhale the fumes as best as they could.

From the other side of the building, Steve placed the ends of his blocky arms on the smithing table in front of him, pulling out the enchanted diamond sword he got from the bedrock mound from earlier. He checked which spells were attached to the sword, and they were labeled as follows: Unbreaking III, Sharpness V, Smite V, Bane of Arthropods V, Mending I, Fire Aspect II, Knockback II, and Looting III. It was already an excellent weapon as it is, and whoever that look-alike before him was seems to dedicate a lot of time using the experience points he collected to upgrade that thing. That sword seemed to be given to him as a gift, especially after he got himself pricked by those needles. He placed the sword on the smithing table, starting to hear those voices silently fill his mind as the slight pain began to ache more and more. Despite the peculiar feelings, Steve simply shook them away due to his curious mind.

That was when the strange rat creature scurried onto the smithing table.

At first, Steve was confused by this one-eyed creature, noticing the needles puncturing its fleshy skin and slimy worm-tail squirming behind it. Another detail he found out about the creature was that it was supposedly bulging, and the creature simply threw up the object inside it next to the sword. It stretched like a balloon, coughing up some sort of mysterious ingot covered in green bile. As soon as Steve picked up the ingot, the rat disappeared by crawling out between the bars through a nearby window. The mucus dripped onto the ground, exposing a metal that gleamed brighter than jewels. It seemed to shift through different gem types on its surface, ranging from a radiant spinel to a solid jade and a vivid malachite along with plenty more gemstones.

Without thinking ahead of his actions, the default player placed the mysterious ingot on the smithing table, and as though it was magic the sword and the ingot fused into one entity. The green bile vanished, and all that remained on the smithing table was some sort of crystalline sword that gleamed as though it was merged with all kinds of gems, ranging from the most transparent to the most opaque, all blending with each other until they gleamed a pale white underneath the faint glowing light from the lava in the blacksmith building.

Once Steve took the upgraded sword from the smithing table, he left towards one of the many exits towards him without any of the players noticing. Banjo and Kazooie followed after him, and they both gasped for fresh air once they stepped outside. The gunky air inside the building seemed to do a lot of them, and they were surprised the terrible working conditions did not affect the players in the slightest. They managed to find Steve near the borders of the village, who was following after the strange rat creature through the field towards the dark oak forest. Knowing what they had just visited, Banjo's eyes widened in fear as he watched that new pal of theirs head off to such a dangerous place. Trauma and guilt washed through the bear's brain, aware that Steve was about to walk right into a trap.

"Did Steve just…?" Kazooie asked.

"I know," Banjo answered, running off straight after the Player.

The enchanted sword in Steve's blocky hands began to glow brighter the closer he approached the bedrock mound. Untranslatable, menacing gibberish echoed around the place, beating to the violent hammering of mad drums as the smarting where Steve pricked himself ached harder than before. Even though he could not express any emotion whatsoever, there was still terror trying to fight back against his actions. Whatever that rat thing he blindly followed was doing, he could not try to resist the actions he was automatically doing by himself no matter how hard he tried.

"Steve! Wait! Don't do it!" Banjo shouted to him from a reasonable distance. The Player looked back upon the bear galloping straight for him in an attempt to stop what he was doing completely, but the menacing aura the rat he found was portraying forced him to give in. He tried to fight back, but those physical urges to slice through the bedrock with that sword in his hands beckoned out to him. And how was a sword with a fancy makeover going to cut through bedrock, the only indestructible block in Minecraft?

Without even thinking as he looked back upon the Breegull carrying Banjo on her back as she ran to rest of the way, Steve slashed straight through the bedrock. The blade seemed to cut through as though the substance was soft butter, and the rat creature disappeared into the ground. Once Steve swung his sword, the bedrock began to crumble at where the mysterious sword struck. The only entrance into this strange and nightmarish place was opened, and what crawled out and snatched a frightened Steve in its grimy claws was an unspeakable horror.

The last thing Banjo & Kazooie remembered as they tried to back away from the creature that broke free from its prison was untranslatable screeching and the light of the sun absorbed into the dark oak trees put out.


"…Hey! Banjo! Kazooie! Wake up!"

"Get up! Please…

"C'mon, guys. Are you okay?"

Banjo slowly opened up his eyes, squinting his eyes from the bright light of the sun above him. The faces he noticed were blurry, but he could count the number of faces above him. With a rough peck on his forehead, the bear's eyes shot open. Kazooie was the one who woke him up, and he recognized a few familiar friends that came to visit him.

"Banjo! What happened!?" Sonic asked. "We found you and Kazooie passed out here in the forest!" Mewtwo gazed at the bear and Breegull, reading their minds of the events that occurred earlier before he and his pals even got here.

"It seems to me like they traveled to a world made entirely out of blocks, which is conveniently located through a two-way entrance in these woods," Mewtwo answered.

"Wait… are we back in Click Clock Wood?" Kazooie asked, looking around the woods. Banjo also glared at the sight, suddenly remembering the exact same trees that were in place when the duo slid down to the world of Minecraft. A sense of recognition hit Banjo & Kazooie as they realized where they were unconscious was where they entered through the hole. Instead, there was nothing but grassy forest ground where the entrance to the blocky world once stood.

"Uh... Wasn't there supposed to be a way into the world you described earlier?" Joker asked.

"Hey!" Banjo shouted in fear, slamming his fists onto the sealed entrance. "Kazooie and I should have been more responsible, Steve! We failed you! Please let us back in!"

"Banjo, it's not worth it," Kazooie croaked in fatalism. "It's closed off from us. It's done."

"What happened back there to the point where you both got kicked out?" Mega Man asked. Banjo stopped his pounding, his throat tightening as tears built up in his eyes, fueled by the thread hanging between deep sorrow and heartache. Why was that Steve person – and a better-looking one too – the definition of what he needed most? This wasn't right. That lookalike needed the anthropomorphic duo more than ever. Whatever that creature was, it took away the new leaf he and Kazooie made. Even though the bear choked back on his sobs, he buried his paws into the dirt and began digging through.

"Don't you guys lollygag! Help me!" Banjo shouted out to his pals in tears, with Kazooie lowering her head into the blue backpack.

"I've got an idea," Mega Man spoke out to Eleven and Sonic. "Hold onto my waist nice and tight. I think I have a Special Weapon that can help us. You too, Banjo & Kazooie." Banjo unburied his paws from the ground, wiping his face of the tears while not paying to mind of the mud sludge in his fur. The Smashers held on to each other real tight, clinging onto Rockman's back. The blue bomber began accessing through his computer chip for the necessary Special Weapon he stole from one of Dr. Wily's bots a while ago, and he managed to select Drill Man. His hands transformed into mighty drills, positioned at where Banjo dug through the earth.

"Do you two know how this entrance curves?" Mega Man asked the bear and bird.

"I think it was straight down," Kazooie answered. The blue bomber's drills plowed straight into the ground, taking all the fighters with them while Mewtwo floated behind. It seemed as though the light from the surface got darker and darker the farther Mega Man drilled, and eventually those drill-arms of his hit nothing but plain air. This was a sign that they made it to the other side with just a straight dig down. However, that short breath of air was suddenly tangled with the stickiest of webs that wrapped around the drills and halted progression of the dig. Thankfully, the hole to Minecraft was wide enough for the fighters to squeeze through, and they managed to land on quite some sort of rough ground. The grass felt sharp and rusty like the needles, yet they didn't really cut through their skin no matter how fast they moved through the field.

The world of Minecraft looked so much different than before. For one thing, it was like your typical apocalyptic wasteland with darkened red clouds and blocks that were gnawed on. The atmosphere of the place was quite unsettling, really. Thunderclouds and violent winds raged throughout the trampled landscape, and in the eye of the storm was some sort of three-headed beast with gaping jaws and glowing eyes that pierced through the darkness. There were a few players trying to run away from the beast, but they were caught by its grimy tentacles and turned to stone from its deadly gaze in the end.

"Oh my… God!" Kazooie gasped in fear, ducking behind Banjo's head. "Is that a… a… a Wither!?"

"I think so, except it looks far more…" Banjo answered before trailing off at the end of his sentence, unaware of what to describe that beast in the eye of the storm.

"Lovecraftian?" Joker replied in the form of a question. "My friends and I have faced these kinds of creatures multiple times. I'm sure you've encountered these types too." The Phantom Thief pulled out his gun and knife, dashing off towards the beast.

"We're coming too!" Sonic called out, speeding right behind Joker. The Hero cast the spell Accelerate and ran on ahead, with the bear-and-bird duo and the blue bomber running after the creature. The Wither creature spotted the fighters running towards it, and it used its eyes to destroy the ground in front and around them. Soon enough, blocky pieces of ground surrounded the group, and they looked up to discover the middle head open its mouth up to devour the gang.

"How did this all happen!?" Ireburn asked, too terrified to even use one of his spells.

"We have no idea either…" Banjo answered seconds before those blocky jaws swallowed the fighters whole in one gulp. Only the blue hedgehog was fast enough to avoid being eaten. The other Smashers were tumbling around in a brutal wind inside its poisonous stomach.

"W.D.!?" Sonic asked, avoiding the eye glares that moved around like spotlights and flaring tentacles. "I'd like some wisdom from you any moment now! I think I've came across one of those demons you mentioned. Or not… I guess I can't always rely on you to do things…" After Sonic avoided a powerful swing from one of the tentacles, a powerful blow to the chest knocked him back so hard he rammed into a nearby rock, denting it. The blue hedgehog groaned as he rubbed his head, his emerald eyes widening in horror as he gazed upon what was far more terrifying than that Wither thing.

The strange abomination that attacked the blue hedgehog was an odd combination of a wooden nutcracker and a pile of flesh and bones. Pulsing, nauseating flesh was packed with clusters of holes dripping with pus and maggots, and its ribs were elongated and making it seem as though it was crawling around like a centipede, complete with a stinger that had the mysterious sword as the main weapon. Buried within hardened organs below the legs was the struggling body of Steve himself, still showing no signs of expression even though he was being strangled by the veins and esophagus. Seven non-sentient heads grew out from the back on long, boney necks, with each one of those heads a terrifying mix of human and rat as their eyes were stitched out. In each of their gaping-wide mouths between their uncanny teeth were glowing orgs each in a different color. If Sonic looked closely, he could see different silhouettes of the people hibernating inside. Most disturbing of all was the main head, which looked like it could not decide between wood and flesh, with an unhinged mouth that seemed to sport the sharpest teeth imaginable. There were also those blank, soulless eyes that lacked any form of mercy. All in all, the creature was like Pinocchio merged with the physical embodiments of nightmares themselves.

The creature roared in an untranslatable language, only spitting insults at the blue hedgehog with the likes that he could not understand. Its organs coiled around Steve much tighter, draining his energy for its own benefit. It began to breath a blackened fire that spread across the field, chasing down the blue hedgehog as he hid behind a rock. Sonic felt like he was on the verge of madness just from looking at that thing. He noticed behind the blocky rock there were a few players hiding from the abominations, unable to show the tremendous amounts of fear they had because of the fact that they are unable to express emotions.

"What the hell is that thing!?" Sonic asked in fright as he spotted the nutcracker thing curl up into a ball like a pillbug and roll straight for the rock they were going for.

"We don't know!" a note written by one player and given to Sonic for him to read answered. "It just showed up out of nowhere and had the noob within its organs at that time! Then it proceeded to create a Wither and place a command block for activation. I thought the Order of the Stone took a creature out like that ages ago! I think you need to find their weak spots!" As soon as the nutcracker rammed into the rock, Sonic in the blink of an eye got the surviving players to the farthest end of the field.

"Listen to me: stay far away from those things," Sonic spoke in a commanding voice. "Find shelter. Build it, if you have to. Just let us take care of the rest. We're professionals to monsters like these…" The blue hedgehog ran back, coated in lightning as he punched straight at the large fangs of the nutcracker centipede's face and broke the jaw off completely with such a powerful knockback. The orbs in the mouths of the rats began to glow, covering the creature in a rainbow aura and healing it completely until the missing jaw grew back with far more gritty teeth.

"What!?" Sonic exclaimed as he jumped out of the way of the thrusting stinger that swung Steve's glistening sword.

Inside the large Wither, the other fighters were tumbling around gusts of wind that were as powerful as the eye of a hurricane. Blocks and immobile stone players were tossed around like leaves, and the Smashers were caught in the incoming collisions. Joker pulled off his mask, summoning Arsene to his side as they attacked the flying blocks until they were harmless rubble. Mewtwo caught eye of the ravaging storm caught within the center of the chaos, spotting a glowing block in the center protected by fiery and icy debris.

"I've found a weak spot!" Mewtwo telepathized to his fellow comrades, using his telekinesis to liberate a few blocks coming his way. "We need to get to the center and attack that block controlling this Wither!" The fighters knew what they had to do, and they got to work trying to survive within the ravaging winds as they ran straight for the heart of the beast.

The colossal Wither continued stirring up the storm, unaware that the prey inside it was not digested by its inner winds. Sonic had his hands full fighting the smaller creature on the ground, which still towered over him. However, something strange happened. He had no idea, but he could somehow understand what language the creature was speaking.

"Zahumbrnainaipiaueaëg sāhnueasylésht voætch éshtcrauea Ueaætchueasāhn umbrzah Ootumbril (Follower sent by the Eyes of God!)!" the creature snarled. "Ætchumbrcea crauioniluea voueaueasyl zahumbrumbrnainésāhncra ueasylumbrceaootcra éshtumbr piauiosylilueaëg nésyléshtumbr lnoætch ürinaiuiopiasāhn (You have been foolish enough to wander into my claws.)."

"Yeah? You were the one who caught me first," Sonic panted, unaware that he could completely understand the creature until it was pointed out.

"Uiocra, Né sāhnueauea ætchumbrcea ceasylilueaëgsāhnéshtuiosylil éshtcrauea naiuiosylootceauioootuea umbrzah éshtcrauea lnoceanaiéshtnénilueaëgsāhnuea sāhnumbr zahnaiuiopianaiueasāhnsāhnnaiætch (Ah, I see you understand the language of the multiverse so flawlessly.),"

"Yeah, I guess I- Wait, what?" Sonic responded, letting the fast realization of understanding the nutcracker centipede get to him.

"Sylumbr umbrsyluea üriuiosyl ceasylilueaëgsāhnéshtuiosylil éshtcrauea lnoceanaiéshtnénilueaëgsāhnuionai piauioætch umbrzah üriumbrlnolnoceasylnéüriuioéshtnéumbrsyl… ceasylnaiueasāhnsāhn éshtcraueaætch piaueaëguea éshtumbr puiueaueatæl cranésāhn lnouealnoumbrëgætch uioëgumbrceasylil (No one can understand the multiversal way of communication… unless they were to keep his memory around.)," the creature growled with a slight chuckle in its voice. "Ætchumbrcea puisylumbrpia piacraumbr Né uiolno ëgueazahueaëgëgnésyloot éshtumbr. Éshtcrauea umbrsyluea piacraumbr sāhntælueauiopuisāhn nésyl crauiosylilsāhn. Crauea craumbrnaiilsāhn uio sāhnueaüriëgueaésht lnoumbrsāhnésht ilueauioëg éshtumbr ceasāhn (You know who I am referring to. The one who speaks in hands. He holds a secret most dear to us.)."

"A… secret?" Sonic asked.

"Don't play dumb with me! Do you know who you're talking to? I am the Forgotten Gatekeeper! You are nothing more than an insignificant speck to a greater force in play, and I am one of the few relics of her toxicity and hatred towards all of existence!" the creature snapped in the common language, tightening its organs around Steve again as the Wither Storm flew away from the ruined fields. "No matter. You are weak and pathetic compared to my power. I am an unstoppable force that you cannot reckon with!" Sonic simply kept his eyes on the ground, with a small smile grinning on the side of his muzzle.

The blue hedgehog chuckled at that monologue from the creature, glaring at the Forgotten Gatekeeper with emerald eyes. A bright blast of blue lightning struck down upon Sonic, blinding the creature and the Wither Storm. Small streaks of electricity spiked through the blue quills, giving out a menacing aura from Sonic. With all his strength, the blue blur shot forth a bolt of lightning from his hand, incoming back the creature with a force powerful enough to make the Forgotten Gatekeeper back away. Its third-degree burns were being healed from the orbs held by the human rat growths, and its soulless, wooden eyes glared in wrath.

"Y'know, you are right about one thing," Sonic told the nutcracker thing. "I am different compared to you. I'm more than you'll ever know. Steve, if you can listen, just know I'm gonna get you out of there." The player nodded in reply, knowing he was safe in the right hands.

"This way!" Mewtwo telepathically called out to the other fighters within the Wither Storm, floating towards the glowing command block. Before he was just within arm's reach, the Pokémon was hit by a large boulder. Mega Man grabbed ahold of the cord connecting Mewtwo's head to the back of his neck, firing a charged projectile at the command block that pierced through the strong winds. Once the projectile hit the surface, the beast outside roared in slight pain.

"Hey everyone!" Rockman called out to Ireburn who had used the Kaclang spell, Joker, and Banjo & Kazooie. "I've got an idea! Spam whatever projectiles you've got and attack as hard as you can!" Mewtwo regained his flight ability and used his telekinesis to grab a few nearby blocks and chuck them straight at the block. Hero used his inventory of spells, while Banjo grabbed ahold of Kazooie and used her like a shotgun to cough out the Blue Eggs.

On the desolated field and raging winds, Sonic rubbed his hands behind the quills on his head in one slick motion, keeping his glowing eyes on Steve as he dashed straight ahead at the Lovecraftian nutcracker. Before the creature could devour him, Sonic zipped onto its back. The blue hedgehog began to sing a song of confidence and determination, directing his attention towards the Player trapped in the confinements of the beast.

My move into this whole new world

Another threat to me and you

Not a second drops one blink of an eye

Someone has to fill these shoes

The Forgotten Gatekeeper began lashing out its stinger at the blue hedgehog, to which he quickly dodged the tip of the mysterious sword attached to it.

My whole new race against the time

Won't stop me now

Sonic quickly grabbed the tail with extreme care not to cut himself, but even with his current strength he was unable to pull the sword out as the tail quickly wriggled around with him holding on to it as he continued singing for a frightened Steve.

Now put your front foot forward with me

We're gonna make this out alive

Gotta keep it quick, you gotta get out free

Get set to overdrive

Sonic jumped out into the air before the blade could even strike him, and all he could do was watch as the abomination coughed out a burning orb of blackened flames.

Follow me

Dashing through our course

The blue hedgehog simply curled up into a ball and began charging up an electricity-coated spin.

And maybe I'll catch new found

Hope on the other side

Can't hold me back!

A streak of blue lightning pierced right through the powerful projectile, hitting the Forgotten Gatekeeper in the face until wooden splinters mixed with pus-oozing flesh flew out as a result. Sonic landed on the ground, this time singing for the creature itself.

Can't hold me down

I'll get back up again

The creature curled up into a pillbug shape again, rolling straight ahead before Sonic zipped out of the way and made it crash into a surviving quartz pillar.

With a supersonic spin of fate

I will not hesitate

Can't hold me back!

The creature uncurled itself, healing its wounds with the seven orbs. This time, Sonic noticed their healing properties and knew exactly what to do as he continued singing while wagging his forefinger from left to right on one of his robotic hands.

Can't tame the beast inside my fire within

The beast began breathing the shadowy flames at Sonic, to which he ran around them while singing the next lyrics for Steve and giving him the courage to fight back against the monster constraining him.

We'll make out move so come along

We'll go in strong

I ain't holding back!

Steve seemed to be easily affected by those strong vibes of determination, and he began reaching into his inventory as best as he could and pulled out a Splash Potion of Blindness. He smashed it against the intestines, temporarily blinding the creature in general. Sonic noticed the Lovecraftian horror couldn't see, and its tail was blinding striking all over the place, eventually hitting behind one of the human rat heads and shattering the orb in its unhinged mouth in the process. The blue hedgehog knew what to do as he grabbed ahold of the tail and gripped it tight while still singing for the Player.

There's totality surrounding us all

A calamity endures

This planet's strange, but I've adapted

We'll kick its tail for sure

Sonic began thrusting the stinger at the other six immobile heads, shattering the orbs inside them and making the nutcracker thing screech in pain.

Chaos is theirs; the drive is ours

You can't stop me now

The Forgotten Gatekeeper was now significantly weakened, allowing Sonic to rip the glistening sword from the tip of the tail at ease.

So let our weapons speak for themselves

Their brawn will let us shine

Straight from the lab to vanquish all

You can't drag on the sideline

The blue blur thrusted the sword into the hard shell of the beast, making it cry with unnatural screams. Sonic got underneath the belly, shoving the sharp blade and twisting the exposed organs until Steve squirmed out.

Follow me

Show me what you've got

And maybe one day I'll find

Faith on the other side

Sonic gave the strange sword to Steve, taking care of not accidentally cutting the blocky player with such a strong weapon. The damaged Forgotten Gatekeeper began to grow bat wings from its large gash, and it now sprouted two pincers (like those you see on a large beetle) from its grotesque mouth. Sonic kept on singing his heart out, except he shifted his focus towards the nutcracker thing.

Can't hold me back!

Steve kept a safe distance from the monster, shooting arrows laced with harmful potions right at the nutcracker's wooden eyeball. Meanwhile, Sonic began rolling around in a ball, attacking the Forgotten Gatekeeper rapidly while not paying to mind of the Wither Storm struggling to keep its winds from obstructing the fighter team's chances of destroying the command block.

Can't hold me down

I'll get back up again

The nutcracker beast grabbed ahold of the blue hedgehog's neck with the claws on its wings, dragging him roughly across the ground.

With a supersonic spin of fate

I will not hesitate

Can't hold me back!

Can't tame the beast inside my fire within

Once Sonic was rammed into a pile of stone blocks so roughly the force applying him to the surface left a large dent in its wake. The blue hedgehog still kept his iconic smirk as Steve pulled out a crossbow and fired a straight shot into the nutcracker centipede's left eye.

We'll make our move so come along

We'll go in strong

I ain't holding back!

The abomination crawled straight for the Player on its multiple boney legs, picking up Steve and flying into the air while Sonic watched from the ground. He then suddenly remembered there was a massive Wither attacking the world of Minecraft right now, and the blue hedgehog slowly felt the ends of his quills start to crumble into stone.

You can't keep me

Sonic dashed away from the lights of the eyes, shedding off the stone transformation on his quills thanks to his seed.

Defeat me or berate me

He kept his eyes focused on the glaring lights and swinging black tentacles, knowing despite the invincibility it was completely vulnerable from the inside. All he needed to do was keep the Wither Storm distracted enough to fight back against the rest of his pals.

The next level meets your end

The raging winds inside the three-headed mutated kaiju seemed to die down, making the projectile spamming much easier. Mega Man, Banjo & Kazooie, Hero, Joker, and Mewtwo gave the command block everything they have gotten, and it wasn't long before the command block was on the verge of shattering. With one final hit, Kazooie laid a Grenade Egg by which Banjo picked up and threw it with a powerful aim. The command block shattered, and the dying roars of the Wither Storm seemed to resound throughout the place. The players turned into stone reverted back to normal, wondering what was going on right now.

"Get everyone out of here!" Mega Man called out. "This body will be going down with us in it!" As the blocks were about to fall due to the lack of winds, Mewtwo used his telekinesis to grab the fighters and Players from an impressive distance.

High up in the air, the winged Forgotten Gatekeeper kept its tight grip on Steve, but the Player slashed his sword at the legs restraining him so high up in the air. As Steve was falling from a high place, he pulled out from his inventory an elytra and slipped it on, gliding down safely towards the ground. He landed beside Sonic, the smaller abomination gliding down towards the duo with gaping jaws. Electricity coated Sonic's quills again, and he shot out a powerful bolt of lightning from his fingertips and burned off the Forgotten Gatekeeper's wings. As the creature crashed into the ground, the blue hedgehog looked at Steve with a grin of determination.

Come with me

Stand across the line

And maybe we will save the day again

The nutcracker centipede got back up, all battered and bruised as it charged straight for the two characters. Steve handed Sonic a Potion of Strength. The blue hedgehog pulled off the cork sprite with his teeth, spitting it out before chugging down the login. It had kind of a cherry taste in it, and the blue hedgehog felt himself get stronger by the minute as he also felt his static electricity spark up in him again once the charging creature was a few meters away from them.

Can't hold me back!

The legendary blue blur curled up into a ball, ramming straight into the exposed chest before jumping back for another hit with a homing attack.

Can't hold me down

I'll get back up again

The creature roared in annoyance, watching out for a black tentacle of the now-killed Wither Storm, its eyes flickering in and out of existence and their huge jaws open.

With a supersonic spin of fate

I will not hesitate

Can't hold me back!

Steve charged in once Sonic was knocked back by a powerful swing from the stinger-less tail, swinging his mysterious sword in the hopes it would hit something. Sonic squirmed out from underneath the monster's tight grip, kicking the nutcracker abomination straight into the face.

Can't tame the beast inside my fire within

We'll make our move so come along

We'll go in strong

I ain't holding back!

Mewtwo and the other fighters flew out of the collapsing Wither Storm, setting the Players of this world at a safe distance from the chaos while carrying the other fighters towards the exit to Click Clock Wood. Sonic finished the fight against the Forgotten Gatekeeper with his strongest spindash yet accompanied by Steve thrusting his blade down the monster's guts all while singing the last lyric to his song.

Can't hold me back!

The beast roared in defeat, its unhinged jaw squashing down upon its teeth until each and every one of them had shattered. A tentacle fell down upon the corpse of the creature, and the remains of the killed Wither Storm were raining out of the sky. A tentacle was about to fall upon the exit that his pals made through, about to trap the blue hedgehog in this world if he didn't escape. Steve grabbed ahold of his gloved hand, looking back upon the shattered orbs on the ground. Seven mysterious spirits floated into the sky to where the orbs were broken, their suspicious laughter accompanying them on their journey to freedom.

Sonic paid no mind to that and just simply dashed ahead, taking Steve along with him as they both got into the exit just as soon as the tentacle was about to fall on the entrance.


After what happened, the fighters accompanied by Steve were finally relieved to get some relaxation from that frightening nightmare. Steve looked around the place, and he was marveled by seeing smooth edges and fancy colors despite never showing emotion.

"Okay, Banjo," Joker sighed with a mixture of annoyance and tiredness in his now-grumpy tone. "I hope you're satisfied from your little detour. You too, Kazooie."

"Hey!" Kazooie squawked. "I didn't have anything to do with this! Neither did Banjo!"

"Yeah? Well… I'm just tired. I'm heading back to get some rest," the Phantom Thief mumbled, tossing each of the fighters what they assumed were small, white pellets. A spare pellet was tossed to Steve. Joker pressed his pellet and was warped out of the forest.

"Wonders of technology, am I right?" Hero asked. "We just found them in the prototype room and they let us borrow a few. No more phone calls from the control panel." The Luminary pressed his pellet, and he vanished in a blink of light. Banjo turned towards Steve, sighing as he twiddled his thumbs.

"Steve, I know this is hard for me to say this, and… I should have told you before we visited that memorial," Banjo spoke. "My point is: we should have pulled you away from that place faster than you knew, because we once had a friend like you. He was equally as strong and independent as you are. However, you seemed to have become better than him, because he just accepted it into his heart. I'm at least glad you pulled through in the end." Steve looked back on the square hole, wondering if he will ever return.

"I think it's blocked for a while," Kazooie reassured. "Guess you'll have to stay with us onboard the Legacy." As Mewtwo and Mega Man gave their pellets a quick squeeze and disappeared. Steve looked at his pellet, placing his hands together upon the device and activating it.

"You comin', Sonic?" Banjo asked.

"Yeah, I will," Sonic answered. As soon as he heard the bear-and-bird duo vanish, he breathed a sigh of relief. After what happened, there was the one guy he depended on the most.

What a peculiar journey you had stumbled upon, Gaster's voice spoke as the background faded into darkness. Dragged into a place where a strange creature attacks you with uncanny fangs.

"You think!?" Sonic snapped. "What the hell just happened back there!? That nutcracker thing with the ugly rat heads looked so disgusting and terrifying I'm not gonna be able to sleep!"

What you had just encountered was the last follower of the Goddess of Insanity, swearing its duty to protect whatever she holds dear to her heart, Gaster answered. It never really rests until its prey marked with the needles becomes a part of its amalgamation.

"Whatever she holds dear to her heart?" Sonic asked.

Listen to me: you cannot always rely on me to help you on your battles, Gaster pointed out. Sometimes, you need to solve things on your own. As for that creature you went up against, he was only a taste of what you will encounter. By the way, have you paid close attention to the bodies within the orbs? I guess that is why they it the Forgotten Gatekeeper.

"But… how did it explain the fact that I understood the language it was speaking?" Sonic objected.

Again, the answers will come in due time, Gaster added. You need to make the discoveries for yourself, but remember: you have a power unlike anything I have ever seen. The vantablack background and Gaster vanished, leaving Sonic within Click Clock Wood with the white pellet in his hands. The blue hedgehog looked back on the square hole as he gave it a squeeze and transported himself back to the Legacy.

There were more things to worry about in the aftermath of the war between Galeem and Dharkon, but his most recent battle exhausted him. He just wanted to sleep.




Author's Notes #2 (Slow Updates):

Lately, I've been having trouble keeping my focus on just producing a chapter, so expect slow updates. Keep in mind I am still progressing as I speak.

Song used: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORGlXiQ8Jxk

The main reason why I used this song was because I wanted to describe how aggressive Sonic can get in terms of the story, and I hope it flowed well. I pay high respects to the original artist behind the song, and I have no affiliations or threats to his work.

Also, I have been recently hanging out in a Discord server that draws in talented Smash fanfiction writers and artists from all over the world, and the code to the server is here: gDK48ua

Chapter 93: Demons With Secrets And Hunters

Summary:

Upon encountering Marx, a certain loveable face uncovers an important treasure before making a leave to an assigned universe where fighters with extendable arms thrive.

Chapter Text

The thunderclouds in the night sky rumbled with thunder, pouring heavy rain upon the darkened city. The cobblestone streets seemed to be slightly flooded, with the waters draining into the sewers on the sides of the road. A mysterious cloaked figure was walking down the streets, their faces shielded in the darkness of their hood. The only thing revealed about them was their black boots and the ends of their black leather pants, which were getting soggy from trailing around in the muddy rain.

The unknown being kept walking around, not paying to mind about the heavy cloak weighting them down. Soon enough, as the thunderstorm hurled on, they began to hear the sounds of a young couple being chased on the other side of the street. They both sounded like they were in fear from the heavy pants in their breaths, according to the cloaked figure, and they were being chased not by someone… but by something. And that something followed them through the large doors that echoed loudly upon them opening it. The cloaked figure walked over to the noises, seeing that the building they entered to get away from the creature chasing them was a large cathedral with shattered stain-glass windows that once depicted the Holy Family and Mary, Queen of Heaven. It was a sure sign the place was abandoned just like the rest of the town, and for a good reason too.

Inside the cathedral, the young couple ran up the stairs to the floor where the choir boys would sing in worship of the One True God, taking the stairs to the bell towers. The creature chasing the man and the woman hid in the shadows, with only the lightning outside reflected on wings of gold and flashing hexagon scales. As the couple scaled up the spiraling stairs, the man tripped on one of the steps, spraining his ankle and scraping his kneecaps. As the woman came to comfort him, he simply reached into his pants' pocket and pulled out some sort of cloth. Inside the cloth was something glowing orange within the darkness of the cathedral.

"Listen to me: keep this thing away from that demon," the man told his girlfriend, placing the cloth with the hidden, hand-sized object inside the palms of her hands and clasping over them. "I don't know what he wants with this, but I'll hold him off while you hide upstairs. Trust me." The woman in tears nodded, leaning into his lips and kissing them. She held the kiss for a few seconds before she ran off, and the man weakly stood up.

"Hey! I'm over here!" the man shouted to the figure downstairs, waving his hands above his head and using himself as bait. As the woman of the couple ran upstairs, she did not look back upon the sound of her boyfriend's scream of help followed by a gush of blood that seemed to drown away all his cries for mercy. She knew the creature that attacked him would soon be coming for her head next and she made her way to the bells on top of the tower. Before she could even find a hiding spot, a powerful laser knocked her down onto the wooden floor, causing her to drop the cloth with the mystery item inside.

"You can't keep running from me," Marx's voice called out from the top of the stairs, his slit eyes glaring at the woman from the dark. That adorable jester was the monster chasing after the couple, his eyes set on the glistening object that fell from her hands. Marx teleported in front of the girl just as she was about to reach for the cloth, unleashing crescent-shaped blades in front of her and knocking her back closer to the open window. It lacked any of the metal frames that kept the glass that presented the religious imagery, and it was wide enough for the average human to fall through considering it was at the floor's level.

"Please… I just want to live," the woman wept, feeling like an idiot that she was backing away from such a cuddly creature like that. "You want it? It's yours. Just leave me and Francis alone!"

"Why would I snip the tether you and your loved one shared, Elisha?" Marx asked, dragging a bloody eyeball by its cord across the wooden floor. That woman knew from those stained talons and eyeball that something terrible happened to the love of her life. "All I ask is that you give me the object within the cloth. If you didn't run off like that, your precious Francis might have been still alive. Don't worry. You'll get to join him!" The jester teleported in front of Elisha, grabbing ahold of her hair by his claws and carrying her through the window via flight.

"Please!" Elisha screamed, her feet dangling multiple stories in the air as her crown was pulled on ever so roughly to the point any one of those hair strands will be torn off. "Just let me go!"

"Wish granted," Marx answered with a sharp-toothed grin on his face, letting go of Elisha's hair and watching her fall to her death while screaming bloody murder. The jester cackled at his own joke, warping back into the bell towers and catching eye of the brown cloth with the glowing-orange object hidden inside it. As soon as Marx picked up the cloth, he heard the sound of two gun clicks behind him.

"The fuck you doing here!?" a masculine voice asked. "Identify yourself! Who the fuck are you!?" Marx quickly glared behind himself to look at the cloaked figure who followed him here, pointing two semi-automatic guns of the M1911 type at the winged jester. The weapon in the stranger's right hand was a light color with the portrait of a fair-haired woman from the Victorian Era imprinted on its ivory wood grip, and the gun in his left hand looked similar in appearance but different in color: a darker shade mixed with a raven-haired Victorian woman.

"Hm… you must be the one named after that famous Italian poet. Kinda blanking on the name right now…" Marx noted, sensing the cloaked stranger's presence as he quickly slipped the cloth underneath his jester hat. "I can tell your smell isn't exactly human… but it's not really non-human either."

"Yeah, I get that all the time," the stranger answered. "Y'know, I've never seen a face like yours around. Monsters like you aren't doing mentally well when they murder a couple for no goddamn reason…"

"I had a reason why I attacked them!" Marx snapped, turning around to face the hooded figure behind him. "They found a precious relic which means everything to me, and it's the only one I collected so far."

"Finders-keepers, huh? Well, I guess while I'm here I should get comfortable…" the stranger sighed, pulling off his cloak to reveal his true identity. The mysterious guest wore a red jacket, which was patterned with buckles and zippers. He wore a belt and fingerless gloves, and he sported long white hair with bangs that accompanied his ravishing dark-blue eyes. He put his guns back in his coat, slowly approaching Marx.

"Now I remember!" Marx noted with realization. "So… you must be that Dante figure I've heard so much about around these parts. Anything tick you off lately?"

"Yeah…" the figure named Dante answered. "Just the fact that you look like the cutest thing ever." The Devil Hunter swept Marx off his feet, hugging the jester as though he was a plush toy.

"You just look so damn adorable like this!" Dante teased as Marx tried to struggle from his strong arms embracing him. "Who's a widdle guy? Who's a widdle guy?"

"Quit touching me, pal!" Marx roared, clawing Dante's face to the point where the half-demon began to bleed out of his blinded eye. The jester floated in the air in annoyance as he watched the son of Sparda simply shrug off his fatal wound as though it was just a scratch, which healed his quite attractive face back to normal.

"God! You're far worse than Byleth!" Marx snarled, the pupils in his violet eyes dilating.

"Woah, I'm sorry," Dante chuckled. "I didn't realize you had attitude. Quite a cute temper tantrum you've got there. Got any more tricks you can show me?"

"Y̷̤̒̾͊͋o̶͓̰͓͎̰͓̍͐͊̈u̸̘͓̝͔͋̾̃ͅ ̴̗̰̽̈́̋̐͑̚ų̶̨͕͙̯͈̎͝n̶͕̝͕̜̠̻̽̃̽g̴̘̈́̕r̸͚͍͈̙̂̓à̵͔̫͍̈́̿͝͝t̴̝̫̱̏́̅̕ë̷̤̮͍̔̒͘̚f̵̨̩͕̝̂͆̈́̚ų̶̭͈͎̤͆͆͠l̴̟͙̦̃̿̓ ̸̛̙̭̃b̴̤̉ą̸̤̤̂̽̌͌͂̓͜s̴̡̺͙̚͝t̴̝̪̘̮̎̑à̵̢̟̜r̵͙͚͇̈́̀͆̇̿d̸̺̟̟̦͉̲̈́͛!̴̫͔̟͍̱͗͌̌͊̑̚" Marx snarled in a more menacing tone, his fangs reflecting off on his inner rage. "D̸͉̈́̈ő̷̲̻͑͐n̵̨͈̬̓͂̂'̶̡̖̗̈́̚ẗ̵̠̟́̽̔ ̷̬̓y̶̎̈́̕͜o̴͎̞̘͌̄u̷̡͓̪̍͋̚ ̴̹̦͆k̶̙̙̒̏ǹ̸̗̐́ơ̸͓̆͝ẉ̸̜͝ ̴̯̣̫̂̔̕ẘ̵͈̹̻h̵͕̆̏ͅō̵̳͘ͅ ̵̯̰̟̍̆ŷ̵͉̼̂͆o̸̢̙̙̿̇͐u̵̧̺̐ ̸͖̳̐͠a̶̟̖̔̍̆r̸̡͊̍ͅḛ̵̼̃́ ̶͍̌̊͗ų̷̠͇͆̒͆p̷̪͗ ̵̭͖̌a̶̱͉͋g̷̛̤̐a̸͓̣̳͘ì̵̡̚n̸͇͇̿̆͘s̴̹̍t̷͙̼̲͂̆́!̸͎̲̤͆͘͠?̶̡̥̼̿ ̶̡̢̎Î̵̺̯̓̓ ̴͉̳̀̽̏a̸̧͖͑͜m̸͙̒ ̵͔̆̀̈́M̷͚͂́̿à̶̳̹̞̌̆r̵̺̖̂̅x̶̬̋,̸̫̙̄̃̇ ̵̘̗͚͛̽͛c̵̞͊o̷̭͆̈̓ǹ̵̨͊q̷̪̐ͅů̵̡̬͉̋͠ȅ̶̫̅̈́r̷̝͋ö̷̠̦́̋̔r̷̠̱̓ ̵̪̠͕́̈͝ó̸̟̅f̵̪̗͊͠ ̸̡̒̉̎ẇ̷̙̀o̵̧̮̯͠ȓ̶̟̬l̸̺͑͑͊d̴̼͌ś̴̞̄ ̷̰̣͖̌̍̕à̶͍̳̒n̵̯̎d̷̻̪̋̃̈ ̵̙̯͔́̏͝ď̸̝̤͚͝͝e̵̳̯͑̊͐s̷̙̈ṫ̸̺̯̇ŕ̴̞̰͂o̷͔̭̭̎ỳ̵̰͙̯͂͝e̶̢̩͓͆͂r̷̜̟̮̈́ ̵̻̚ơ̶͙͚̯f̴̖̺̅̓̊ ̸̜̼̲̉̑̊p̷͚̗͗̈l̶̟̹̐̈̚a̷͙̞̫͐͂n̵͚̺͎̂̉́è̶̤̤͈̄͠ṱ̸͓͝s̶̘͎̊̎͘!̵̦̀͠ ̸̙̯͖̔Ȧ̴̢͎l̸̯̍̚l̴̞̏̏ͅ ̸̮̌w̴͈̳̅͘̕í̶͚̺͆l̵̜̿̔̉ḷ̵̺̎ ̴̨̯͈̓b̸̩̙̦́͌͘o̵͎̔͒w̵̨͔̆̋ ̴̜͋̔b̵̺̈́͑̅e̶̦̟̯̾̈́̿ḟ̷̡́o̸̫͆̀͆r̶̦̤̈̃̄e̴̜̽͋̉ ̶̡͈͎͊m̷͔̐͆̍y̵̝͋ ̴̠͍̥́m̷̢̩̃̎ǐ̸͔̝̯g̴̥͋̀̀h̵̻̒͝͝ť̶̳y̶̢̙̜̔̈́ ̸̧̑̓̔p̷̥̑̈́͝o̸̝̓͋w̵̹̼̍ẽ̵̝̬̐͠r̵̺̈́̍͝,̷̮̹͌́͝ ̶͕̞̓͐̈́ạ̸͎̎͘ͅṇ̷̝̓͋̕d̸̝̥͋̓̔ ̶̧̞̹͘y̷̼͕̓o̶̥̼̽͝ų̷͝ ̵̨̏t̷̺̤͐́o̶̲̊̃o̵̧͙̝̔͝ ̴̳̥́̽͜w̶̲͙̖̑i̷̲̥͋l̶̛̘͑̆ĺ̶͎̉͗ͅ ̶͉̯̒t̸̛̻͜r̴̳̺̯͐͘e̷̹̞͔̅͆̐m̵̗͐̋b̷̥̠̔l̶̪̎̀͆ͅë̷̩́͐͝ ̴̮̜̓͗͝u̶̧͚̹͋́̚n̸̝͙̋̔̄d̵͕͓̽͛̆ẹ̴̙̦̽͂ŗ̴̭͇̅ ̵̗̣̎͋m̶̤̟͎͗̊y̶̠̙͇̍ ̵̧̭̘͑̓͠n̵͔͒a̷͒̿̓ͅm̴̮̭͈̓ě̶̘͙̀͒!̵͕͝" During that threat, Dante was mocking Marx's words, simply mouthing off what the jester said by using his hand like a puppet and flapping his fingers up and down in the motion of his own lips.

"Ooh, and you're named after the founder of communism too," Dante answered, still keeping his devil-may-care attitude and that smug look on his face. "Sorry, pal. The Soviet Union jokes are over. Go home."

"Oh, I will," Marx cackled in his normal voice, trying to control his temper in front of the Devil Hunter. "I will return to where I came from… right after I bring my master your head!" The jester swooped straight at Dante, unaware of what was about to happen next. The white-haired half-demon smirked as Marx flew closer with his fangs unfurled, and he simply stepped out of the way at an unnatural speed. Marx didn't have time to fathom what happened before he ascended into the air without even knowing and glided straight into a large brass bell, denting the instrument with great force. The jester slid down to the wooden floor, holding his head as he tried to recall what happened. His starry-filled eyes snapped back to reality as Dante jumped at a great height, pulling out some sort of double-edged sword from behind his red coat. He swung it straight at Marx upon landing as light as a feather, but the jester simply teleported out of the way.

Dante pulled out his guns, pulling the triggers and rapidly firing at the flying jester. Thanks to the Devil Hunter's keen marksmanship, Marx was hit the second he took off into the air. The wounded jester hit the floor, the cloth with the glowing object inside slipping out of his hat. The second Marx got up despite wincing from his bullet wounds, he spotted the object. He crawled towards it with the talons on his golden wings, but the second he was about to reach for the object he felt the hole of a cold metal pressed against his forehead. From the shadows, he could see the demonic eyes his opponent bore.

"Alright, kid," Dante spoke to a frightened Marx, the sound of his light-colored gun clicking as he gently squeezed his hand on the trigger though not quite enough so he doesn't fire his shot. "I'm gonna give you the count of three to get your dumb little bitch-ass face out of here or so God help me. And you're not leaving… with anything else." The half-demon grabbed ahold of the cloth on the floor with his free hand, glancing at the glowing object inside. Marx, in complete anger and barred teeth, warped his way out of the church. Dante placed the gun back inside his coat, watching the cute little jester fly off into the night sky completely wounded. He opened the cloth, finding a mysterious orange gem the size of his hand. The gem was cut into the shape of a crystal pillar and polished to the point where it sparkled like a galaxy, its orange glow revealing strange symbols. The largest one depicted two mountains, with a square-shaped gem sitting on its edge between the mountains. Underneath the symbol were five letters of an otherworldly alphabet. Was this the thing that Marx guy was after? Dante picked up his phone, dialing a number and placing it near his ear.

"Heya, Trish," Dante spoke, standing near the rim of the open window. "I'm gonna be heading back to Devil May Cry now. I found a demon, but… he seemed to have carried some strange jewel with him. See ya, babe." Dante put away his cellphone, dashing straight through the window with a great velocity and jumping high across the air from the window to the roof of a shorter building. Soon enough, the Devil Hunter began hopping from rooftop to rooftop as he made his way back to the sleepy little store with the neon words "Devil May Cry" blazing on top of the entrance on the far side of town.

Dante walked through the door of the shop, tossing his weapons the desk he approached. He turned on an electric fan with sticky notes stuck to it the moment he sat down, laying the glowing stone down in front of him. He gazed upon the glowing orange color on the gem, his fingers tapping on the wooden desk. There was a box of pizza topped with bacon bits, crumbled meatballs, Italian sausage slices, ham slices, and sun-dried tomatoes on top of marinara sauce and five different cheeses. Dante took a slice out and began eating it from the tip. Just then, the bell at the entrance rang and a woman walked in without proper introduction. For one thing, she had blond hair, blue eyes, and fair skin with black leather pants and high heels as well as a choker, a corset, two belts, and some kind of wrist accessory.

"Heya, Beatrice," Dante teased as the feminine demon walked up to him, reclining his boots on the desk as he finished the crust of his current pizza slice. "Sup?"

"I just came by to see how you were doing," the woman answered. In her hands, she held some the invitational letter with the Smash Ball emblem imprinted on the red wax. "Figured I'd never see you here after Vergil told me you were taking care of business down at Red Grave City."

"Watcha got there, Trish?" Dante asked, noticing the letter in her hands.

"Oh. This?" Trish responded, holding up the letter for the half-demon to see. "The letter said they were looking for recruits for something called a 'Smash World.' Figured they need you here in the hopes that you're one of these so-called… chosen ones." Dante sat up, taking the letter from Trish's hands.

"I'm the Son of Sparda," Dante answered. "It's gonna be pretty obvious that I would get recognized by some otherworldly force out there…" The Devil Hunter opened up the letter and read through it, the expression on his face changing from curious to the smug grin of winning a jackpot at a casino.

"Trish?" Dante asked, walking over to his female companion. "Would you be so kind as to hold this, please?" In slight annoyance and disgust, Trish did not bat an eye as she rolled her eyes up and looked away from the half-demon.

"Suit yourself," Dante answered for Trish, admitting that he still sucked hitting on women after all these years. He grabbed the cloth with the stone, walking over to his sword Rebellion and his guns Ebony and Ivory. He placed his guns and the stone in the insides of his coat along with other weapons he conveniently packed, placing the sword on his back.

"I'll probably see you when I get back," Dante told Trish, tapping the bold red word "return" on the open letter. "Save some demons for me, alright?"

"Can do, will do," Trish answered, giving a thumbs up to Dante. Shortly after, a flash of light blinded the shop, and the legendary Devil Hunter vanished without a trace.


Marx was sleeping in a nest made out of old newspaper and torn clothes, groaning as he began to move around. He opened his eyes to the faint light of the rising sun hidden behind streaks of clouds, his breathing snapping back to his senses. The jester shot up, looking down upon his round body and noticing that the bullet holes left on him seemed to have been cleaned and patched up.

What the…? Marx thought, unaware of the shadowy figure in front of him.

"Finally," a familiar voice spoke, alerting Marx. "I was beginning to wonder when you'd wake up." The cute jester looked up to see the figure Mephiles standing near the bed, his red sclera and green irises looking down as always.

"By the time you got back, you lost a lot of blood," Mephiles noted. "And you failed to bring the Earth Citrine back with you. What exactly happened?" Marx sighed in irritation, crossing his golden wings in front of his face.

"There was this guy that bumped into me," Marx answered. "I tried to leave no evidence of the victims I attacked, but he somehow tracked me down. His strength… was unlike anything I had ever seen. My own powers couldn't even harm him. It just seemed as though he knew my every move, and he took the stone without me getting another chance to go back and retrieve it… I'm sorry, Mephiles…"

"It's alright," Mephiles responded, still calm as ever and never daring to raise a hand to strike against his companion. "There are still nine other stones we have yet to collect. Your top priority for now is to follow this man to a world where champions with long, springy arms compete in tournaments."

"What?" Marx asked in confusion, wincing as he slowly climbed out of the bed. The small Insaniton Mephiles kept around appeared out of his crystalline quills, slithering up to his hands.

"You are aware of how determination works, right?" Mephiles asked. "On how it is the most cognitive element used to awaken true potential, and the Smash Balls are used to channel it throughout the link between body and soul? Well… our little pet has detected a strong abundance in that world." As Marx had noticed, the one-eyed slime gleamed a faint red instead of its usual pink hue, chirping in a language only Mephiles could understand.

"So, what you're saying is… another Smasher is located in that universe?" Marx asked, surprise gleaming in his violet eyes.

"We don't know who it is right now," Mephiles answered. "As far as we know, it could be any one of the champions there. Once you heal, your goal is to eradicate every single one of these champions and regain the Earth Citrine."

"Why can't you do it?" Marx asked.

"I have other business to attend to," the crystalline hedgehog responded. "The last footprint of my presence, the Forgotten Gatekeeper, has been eradicated by my worst enemy, and he has managed to unleash my followers from their prison cells without even knowing he did such an action killing my guardian. Rest for a while longer. I will reunite with you soon after you return from your mission." Marx returned to his nest, watching as Mephiles vanished with his Insaniton without a trace. The jester walked over to the hole where the sun shines through, feeling its morning warmth soothe his painful sounds hidden under tresses of bandages.

"Oh, Mephiles," Marx sighed, his tone filled with the knowledge that he knew something Mephiles didn't. "Mephiles, Mephiles, Mephiles. The Almighty Father has done a lot to your memory, hasn't He? You can't even remember the children you bore as the goddess herself. Shame. All you want to do is get back to your old wicked ways, huh? You may be holding the cards, but I'm the one peeking behind them. And soon… I'll be the one cheating from your hand." Marx also warped out of the abandoned sanctuary, leaving behind stained bandages behind on the wooden floor next to the nest.


Far off into the mountains, where the most exotic alien flowers bloomed, the golden-eyed general with the missing left wing sat in front of two tombstones laid next to each other: Lord Ceresor and Ultima, the previous rulers of Arcus. Sozo bowed his head in sorrow, his claws penetrating through the grass-filled earth thanks to his weight pressed against the ground.

"Hello, father," Sozo spoke to the tombstones. "Hello, my queen. I'm… sorry the graves we made for you two aren't the best, but… at least we tried to fix what was already broken. Anyway, things are going great here in Arcus. The transporter worked flawlessly, and we might be expecting more warriors from other realms soon, so… there's that. The other fighters are keeping their promise, and… maybe one day they might get their guidance from elsewhere. I hope you understand. Sometimes I just feel as though… one of the members of the Super Smash Brothers group has already made a breakthrough between realities. He's starting to uncover a bit about himself. I… suppose I could train him in the ways of the Dragosmo, just like he wanted when he first got them. It's bad enough that he was exposed to so much of the darkness's power…" The golden-eyed general pressed his head against his father's tombstone, then Ultima's, before he walked away with his white-silk tail trailing behind himself.

As Sozo took a few steps forward, he began to hear a choir of harmony echoing through his mind. Sozo shook his head, trying to clear himself of the thought that it somehow felt familiar. It began to ring with faith, the feeling grew greater inside him, giving way to a new hope that he had no idea existed after months until now.

DETERMINATION.

A Small Ball out there had just gathered enough determination for him to sense it, and where there's a Smash Ball, there's…

"Another fighter!" Sozo exclaimed, his right wing spreading itself apart in sheet excitement. "I have to tell the other Smashers about this!" He then looked back at the graves, knowing that whatever guidance remained from them was bestowed upon him.

"Thank you…" The dragon then transformed into his Master Hand form, snapping his fingers and teleporting out if the forest area.


In the city of Civiltatula, Little Mac was learning some yoga from the Wii Fit Trainer in one of the city's hotels, taking a small break from all of the boxing he used in all of his attacks. The small boxer was sitting on a mat in a gym-like room, sitting behind the yoga fighter and practicing some deep breathing.

"Now then, Little Mac," the Wii Fit Trainer told him without making eye contact, slowly lifting her hands to above her head. "Let's try some deep breathing before our warm-up exercises. That way, you can feel relaxed in both body and spirit." Little Mac followed behind the yoga warrior, copying her exact slow movements perfectly.

"Good," she continued. "Just breath in slowly and feel your chest rise from those relaxed muscles." Just then, Ganondorf walked into the room, taking care not to interrupt their private lesson as best as he could.

"Hello?" Ganondorf asked. "May I have a word with you two?" Little Mac looked back at the Demon King, not paying mind to his ongoing lesson.

"Sure," Little Mac responded. "What is it?"

"It's about… Sozo," Ganondorf answered. "He's found another fighter, and he's assigned me to assemble a team to head over there." The Wii Fit Trainer stopped the yoga lesson after catching on to what the Gerudian just said.

"…Did you say another fighter?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked. Ganondorf nodded at that question.

"We need to head back up to the Legacy and find out where we need to go," Ganondorf responded. "Follow me." The Demon King walked out of the room, with the small boxer and the yoga warrior walking behind him. The three fighters walked past another room in the place, where Banjo & Kazooie were comforting a terrified Steve with Joker, Hero, Mega Man, Mewtwo, and Sonic by his side.

The blocky player trembled as he hugged the bear tightly, unable to forget the horrors he had to witness. And he wasn't alone in the room. Every one of the fighters within that group was so traumatized by what happened that they weren't even sure how to approach the problem.

"They'll probably fix the way back into your realm," Kazooie cooed, placing her wings on the blocky head lovingly. "You can stay with us, in the meantime. We have plenty of activities to do. There's mall shopping, arcades, arenas, lots of things to expand your creativity. You can even find another universe to relax in."

"The Breegull does have a point," Mewtwo telepathized. "I've heard from the Villager and Isabelle that you can get your own private island with help from Tom Nook." Steve didn't really seem to care, and he just wanted to be alone after he pushed Banjo out of the hug. The bear fell back on the bed, almost crushing his best friend Kazooie in the blue backpack they shared. The group heard some footsteps coming their way, and the face of Dante himself passed by the room. He didn't really pay that much mind to the team until he noticed something off about the Smashers inside.

The Hero was the first one to spot him, and he grew rather curious about the stranger that just showed up on the face of the planet without any rhyme nor reason. He tugged on Joker's leather coat, alerting the Phantom Thief.

"Hey guys," Joker told the other fighters in the room. "Someone just passed us by. Perhaps we can greet him first?" Eleven and Joker ran out, following behind the stranger that entered the place.

"Hey! Wait up for us!" Sonic called out, speeding out of the room. Mega Man followed after him, and Kazooie wanted her and Banjo to follow. However, the bear was still comforting the blocky player, who was still traumatized and just wanted to be left alone as he laid on his bed. Banjo didn't know what to do. The memories of the one he considered a close friend outside of Kazooie, Tooty, and Bottles became nothing more than a twisted nightmare. Steve was captured by a creature exactly like that, and how was Steve going to fix this after what he had been trapped in?

"Uh… Banjo?" Kazooie asked. "You okay?" The bear moved his hand away from the player, knowing that Steve might not want to remember the trauma anymore. Soon enough, Banjo turned towards the only Pokémon in the room.

"Mewtwo?" Banjo asked. "You said you are the most powerful Pokémon in your world, right?"

"The only one all eight regions know about so far," Mewtwo telepathically answered.

"Then... can you erase Steve's memories of what happened?" the bear responded, getting up from the bed. "If he asks… or writes, thinks, whatever… why he's here, just tell him that one of the Players was foolish enough to spawn in a legion of Ender Dragons and Withers. Just lie to him that they're clearing out the place until the servers reconnect… just something to take his mind off things."

"I'll see what I can do," Mewtwo answered, his alien hands glowing with Psychic-type energy as he slowly stretched his padded fingers over Steve's head.

"Thank you," Kazooie thanked, hiding in Banjo's backpack as he dashed out the door towards the red-coated man.

Dante looked around the open gym room, walking inside and admiring how clean it smelled. He was expecting the scent to be rotten armpits, but the aroma of vanilla and lavender fragrance worked too. He grabbed a nearby dumbbell from a shelf, taking the heaviest one he could find and preformed curl-ups with the arm he grabbed it with.

"You don't probably realize I know when people are sneaking up on me," Dante spoke to the fighters who followed behind him, just waiting outside the door. They were Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Mega Man, Joker, and Hero.

"Who are you?" Joker asked. "We've never seen you around here before."

"Dante," the half-demon answered, tossing the dumbbell he was carrying into his empty hand before placing it back on the shelf. "That's what my pals call me… and a couple hundred thousand demons here and there…"

"Demons?" Ireburn pointed out, noticing the sword attached to Dante's back. "From what you're wielding, you would be a hunter, right?"

"You've got pretty keen eyesight," Dante responded. "Yeah. I'm a devil hunter."

"But… what are you doing here?" Mega Man asked.

"I was just called here by a project you guys made called Smash World," Dante continued. "They told me I would meet up here just so I could… 'travel to other worlds and protect the multiverse…' Emphasis on that quote. Oh: by the way, I found this strange gem while hunting for some demons." The Devil Hunter reached into his pocket, pulling out the glowing stone he carried along. Each eye of the fighters' widened in a mixed bag of relief and surprise, with Sonic snatching it from Dante's hand.

"That's the Earth Citrine!" Sonic exclaimed, holding the gem up high for the other Smashers to see. "We found it!"

"The what?" Dante asked, scratching his white locks.

"Oh. Since you're new here, we might as well get you familiar around here," Sonic responded, giving Mega Man the Earth Citrine. "My name's Sonic the Hedgehog, and these are my pals: Mega Man, Hero, Banjo & Kazooie, and Joker. What you have just found is one of the many stones that had created the Diamond of Universes and, as the name implies… I think… controls the earth…? I dunno. My memory's a little hazy…" As Rockman held the stone in his hand, he felt a strange energy buzzing around in his circuits. He then remembered the energy was at the exact same place as where he placed that USB drive of his for safekeeping. The android came to the realization that whatever was saved in that drive's files was trying to synchronize with that stone he was holding.

"Hey… guys?" Mega Man asked. "Is it fine if I borrow this? I just need to research the stone for a while, see if it's fine." He then walked out of the gym room.

"I'll go with him," Sonic responded, knowing about something fishy going on with Mega Man. "After all, he needs a partner to help him out with the check-up…" The blue hedgehog ran behind Rockman, disappearing from the room too.

"…Would you like to hang out here for a while?" Banjo asked. "We'll be happy to show you around…"

"I'd love to," Dante answered, placing his hands behind his head and just relaxing. "Just wanna take a break from hunting demons, is all. Though I kinda spotted three of your friends going somewhere. Perhaps I should follow them…"


Back on the Legacy, Sozo was resting on the clear floor far from the thousands of control panels operated by several Miis and Subspace Army troops. They were busy pushing buttons, flicking small switches, and tapping on holographic controls just to keep the ship flying and running. Ganondorf, Little Mac, and Wii Fit Trainer arrived in the room, approaching the golden-eyed general.

"We've been told to arrive here because you have discovered another fighter within another universe," Ganondorf spoke. "Mind clarifying us where we're going?" Sozo stood back onto his four feet, walking out of the control room towards the transporter. Along the way, he explained the synopsis of the world they were heading off to.

"The world I had managed to encounter through Ultima's guidance is… a peculiar one," Sozo explained. "Do you remember Spring Man?"

"Of course, we do," Little Mac responded. "I mean, I've been stuck in one of the capsules like the rest, so…"

"Why Spring Man?" Wii Fit Trainer asked. "Why would an Assist Trophy be the source of this… determination you've sensed?"

"I have no idea who the determination applies to, but I know it's from the universe we retrieved Spring Man from," Sozo answered, stopping in front of the transporter. "One thing you have to note is that under half of the population of humans in that universe… each have a peculiar birth defect."

"Birth defect?" Ganondorf asked.

"I haven't really learned much about Spring Man since his memories had been wiped out in those Assist Trophy capsules, so… mind filling out a little trivia?" Little Mac responded. Sozo was busy at the control room, adjusting the transporter a bit.

"From what knowledge I had gathered, these special humans have a mutated gene referred to as the Artificial Recoiling Mutation Symbiosis Gene, or the ARMS Gene, that gives them the ability to extend their arms and use different weapons at will," Sozo continued, using his claws to add the finishing touches to the adjustments. "The only way to identify ordinary humans from those who are born with ARMS is to look at their eyes. If by chance their eyes have swirls, then you've found one with the ARMS Gene. Another thing to not is that if they have those eyes, they will always wear masks to control their extendable arms."

"So… a world that has that particular gene?" the Wii Fit Trainer added.

"Of course," the golden-eyed general pointed out. "Keep in mind you three will be accompanied by Dark Samus and Isabelle due to the fact that they were also Assist Trophies before. Perhaps they too might be glad to reunite with a familiar face. See if he is one of the warriors you missed out on rescuing before the confrontation against Galeem and Phoenix…"

"I see…" Ganondorf added. Dark Samus floated into the room, keeping her calm growls low. Soon enough, Dante himself walked in with Isabelle sitting on his left shoulder.

"Why hello there, Dante," Sozo greeted. "I take it you're at least aquatinted with the Legacy and Arcus; I presume you're curious as to what lies beyond the stars…"

"Pretty much," Dante answered. "You must be the guy that runs the place, huh?"

"Alongside my brother," the golden-eyed general responded. "To be honest, I never really wondered when he would come back. He seems to be staying near the Pit of Ice and Fire, and he hasn't really come back here since. Anyway, I had been expecting your arrival and I was wondering if you would like to travel to another world…"

"Another world, huh?" Dante noted, placing Isabelle on Dark Samus's arm cannon. "Well, I've been meaning to try out a little challenge somewhere else. Consider signing me up."

"I'm sure you'll enjoy this one," Sozo chuckled at Dante's carefree attitude. "Just step in the machine and don't touch anyone, alright?" The Devil Hunter walked up to one of the platforms, feeling the light of the transporter envelope him. It wasn't long before Dante vanished in the transporter.

"You should go now," Sozo added. "The presence of the Earth Citrine was brought alongside Dante, and it's in safe hands with the rest of your friends. However, you are needed to find this warrior, wherever they may be…"

"We won't let you down, mister!" Isabelle spoke with a cheerful heart, dashing onto one of the platforms with the bell in the bun on her head jingling with the movements of her footsteps. Dark Samus floated to a platform next to Isabelle, and the two were warped off. It didn't take much convincing for Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and Ganondorf to enter the machine to join the rest of their group in this world with the ARMS Gene.

"Perhaps it might be time to tell that blue rodent the truth," Sozo told himself, walking away from the transporter on his four legs. "He has gotten stronger, and it should be the right moment to talk to him about what powers had been sealed from him ever since he was experimented on by Phoenix…"


Mega Man re-entered his room, pulling out the USB drive he stored inside his robotic body. He placed the Earth Citrine on his desk, feeling the drive vibrate in his hand as it tried to synchronize with the stone. As Rockman sat down, the blue hedgehog that followed him entered the room.

"So… why do you need to borrow that thing?" Sonic asked. "You do realize that Earth Citrine has too great of a power over… earth." Mega Man got up from his seat, walking over to Sonic with the drive still vibrating.

"You see this thing?" Mega Man asked, holding up to USB drive for Sonic to see. "I managed to save it from my audio logs before the computer I used to replay it was destroyed by how corrupted it was."

"Corrupted?" Sonic responded, looking at the file in pure and utter confusion. "What? Like a… virus that destroys your binary code or something?"

"Okay okay okay… just listen," Mega Man uttered. "Do you remember that labyrinth we entered? In Dharkon's version of Hyrule? Where we met Bowser Jr. possessed by the Spirit of Kaos? He brought alongside that uncanny version of Steve? The other guy, not… the one we brought along with because his world is currently being repaired or however that works? Anyway: I had a theory. There had to be some otherworldly force out there that is somehow connected to the Stevepost. The computer and circuits in my brain have basically backed up several audio logs saved here, but I cannot really play or edit them to decode certain messages the creature spoke to us, so: the theory. If by chance you get some evidence of the secret force, whether it be photography or audio logs, then you just might have one of the pieces to unlocking the truth of our universes." The blue hedgehog stared at the bomber in complete bewilderment, lost in everything the robot just said.

"Are you sure your wires and fuses aren't burned out or something?" Sonic posed. "Because I had no idea what you just said…"

"Sorry… kinda got sidetracked there…" Mega Man apologized, rubbing his blue helmet. "To make a long story short: the secrets of this world are much bigger than we thought, and this USB drive that's saved the audio logs proves it. All we need to do is link it to that stone. Shouldn't really be that hard, right?" Mega Man walked back to the Earth Citrine and simply placed his vibrating drive inside the symbol engraved into the jewel. The two fighters stood back as the stone levitated into the air, crumbling the USB drive into dust and absorbing whatever binary code was inside it. The floating Earth Citrine blinked rapidly in an orange light, with words of so many languages across the universe flickering rapidly until a holographic message appeared. The stone dropped to the ground, and both Sonic and Mega Man could see that there was a message written in a strange language… the same alien language as the one written on Marx's horns. Most of the letters were completely different, but they seemed to be in some form of sentence they couldn't understand.

"Do you know what it says?" Sonic asked.

"I have no idea," Mega Man answered. "Outside of my knowledge of multiple languages across my world alongside a few alien tongues, I have never learned something so complex before. Perhaps this tiny piece of information might have just been from that nightmarish Stevepost from before…"

"Looks like we're gonna need Clementine for this one," the blue hedgehog noted.

"The Inkling?" Rockman asked.

"Yeah," Sonic responded. "Doesn't her kind know and understand all sorts of languages but never speak outside of their own dialect?"

"I guess so," Mega Man answered back. "You go look for her. Shouldn't take long…" Sonic the Hedgehog nodded, speeding out of the blue bomber's room in a streak of lightning. Rockman walked over to the glowing Earth Citrine, picking it up and feeling its energy. It was like a balanced, sturdy construction of the wisdom it stood for. The dust and particles that made the ground, the rocks, the mountains, the pebbles, the metals, the jewels… all of it was interlinked within the same matter that created the first stars.

Whatever evidence the Super Smash Brothers could find from that one audio log just might be connected to another web of secrets waiting to be unraveled, and this kind of setup might begin with a simple Easter egg hunt.

Chapter 94: Expansion Through Extension

Summary:

Upon arriving at the ARMS universe, Dante and his companions explore this new world by spectating the matches highlighted there and try to predict who would be the chosen one they're looking for. Meanwhile, Sonic and his pals run through problems of their own through an egg hunt of a secret that goes deeper than they thought...

Chapter Text

"You guys see this?" Dante asked, standing in front of a large stadium with lines of crowds of people going in. The five fighters that went with him gazed upon the building, reading the sign upon the entrance as "ARMS League" while they stood around in the parking spaces that they first appeared in without anyone caring to notice.

"Do you suppose we're in the place where we needed to go?" Isabelle asked.

"Sure seems like it," Ganondorf answered. "The Master Hand made sure he programmed this thing so it took us to the right universe…"

"Look at some of these gals!" Dante chuckled, admiring some of the promotional banners on top of the towering walls. They were large flags depicting each and every one of these supposed competitors in this world, and the Devil Hunter glared at some of them as though he was attracted to the female fighters in the league. "Can't wait to meet them once we get inside."

"Focus, Dante," the Wii Fit Trainer objected. "We're here to find the warrior that has the Smash Ball, and it could be any one of these competitors."

"What about this guy?" Dante asked, pointing up to a large banner that served as the center of attention. The border gleamed with a gold fashion design, and a masked man with a muscular build, a golden pompadour on top of his mask, and belt-like arms with the words 'Max Brass' broadcasting behind him as a sign to show he was the champion of this league. "He sure seems like the guy you people are after."

"Who knows?" Ganondorf noted, looking at the long line of people paying tickets to watch the fights in the league. "We might not really get in at this point. We have to wait in line for a while, not to mention pay for our seats with currency no one in this world can recognize and accept."

"We won't have time," Little Mac responded. "What if some major threat comes along or something?"

"Yeah," Dante scoffed. "Like that's ever gonna happen…" The Devil Hunter took a quick glance at the place before dashing off to the side of the large building faster than a bullet, waving towards his new pals in the parking lot. Dante had just discovered a back entrance to the place, which was unguarded by the people running it.

"Looks like he found another way in," Isabelle stated, hopping onto Ganondorf's back.

"And it's free," Ganondorf chuckled, running towards the Son of Sparda. The other fighters went with him, by which Dante simply pushed the door open. Once the fighters went inside, they were surprised to see a training room filled with weightlifts, training benches, a boxing ring, and a few sandbags. The only other people that were with them happened to be few of the competitors in the league. One seemed to be a masked, blue-eyed girl with blonde hair in the form of ribbons and a cheerleader-like uniform of pink, and she was busy punching a sandbag with her extendable ribbon arms from a reasonable distance. Another one exercised on a weight-lifting machine, and he had chains for arms and a green-and-blue ninja suit that seemed to fit his style. The third competitor in the room was sitting on a bench doing curl-ups, and she had ramen noodles for arms as well as straight bangs, an orange mask, and an Asian-style athletic suit complete with leggings and green sneakers. Last but not least, there was a young man with blue, curly hair and a magenta mask with metallic blue arms, who had a small towel laid across his shoulders behind his neck as he splashed a bottle of some ice-cold water onto his sweaty face. Out of all the challengers in the room, he seemed to be the one who worked out the most as he sat down on the bench of one of the lunch tables, pulling out a slice of pepperoni pizza out of a box. The one getting a bite of fresh pizza was the guy the veteran Smashers instantly recognized.

"Spring Man!" all the fighters from Arcus except Dante and Dark Samus greeted, with the former having no idea who Spring Man is and the latter having the inability to speak. Isabelle, Dark Samus, and Little Mac hugged Spring Man, much to his utter confusion.

"We're so happy to see you again!" Little Mac laughed.

"I'm sorry," Spring Man answered, placing his pizza slice back in the box and pushing the three Smashers away. "Do I know you guys? I haven't necessarily been around the world in 80 days, but… for some reason I've never seen you guys around here… haven't I?"

"Wow…" the Wii Fit Trainer added. "You really don't remember, do you?"

"Remember what?" Spring Man asked. The three fighters that were once Assist Trophies stepped back, hit with the remembrance that those who became Spirits have no recollection of the world of Arcus.

"Excuse my friends over here," Ganondorf responded, terrifying the young man a tiny bit due to the menacing nature the Demon King sported even after he had a change in heart. "My name is Ganondorf, and these are the Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Isabelle, and Dark Samus. Joining our team as the latest recruit is Dante, otherwise known as the Devil Hunter."

"Pleasure meeting you here," Dante introduced, swiping a fresh slice of pizza from the box. "I take it with that look of yours, you're a rookie around these parts?"

"You bet," Spring Man answered confidently, wiping his shoulders with the towel he had. "In fact, I'm one of the newest contestants to join the current Grand Prix going on. Also participating are Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min. Say hi, guys!"

"Pleasure meeting you guys here!" Ribbon Girl greeted, resting her extendable arms on the sandbag she was punching. Ninjara waved at the fighters while Min Min chuckled upon spotting them.

"So, you're also here to compete, are you?" Spring Man continued before he noticed they don't exactly have what the place was looking for. "On second thought, scratch that. The ARMS Gene hasn't exactly developed for you, hasn't it?"

"I don't think we're even born with it," Little Mac pointed out. "Look… we're just here because we were told to come here. And we kinda need everyone right now to lend us your ears." The three young competitors stopped their exercising to hear what the small boxer had to say, all before the Devil Hunter spoke for him.

"Alright. Now we got your attention, so listen up," Dante spoke. "Apparently these guys have sensed some sort of power from the other side of the multiverse with the hopes one of you guys might have it, because… how do I say this without sounding too confusing?... from what I've learned from my short time on this planet called Arcus, you guys have something called…"

"A Smash Ball," Isabelle corrected.

"Yeah, there we go," Dante addressed. "Anyways, it could be any one of you or someone else in this league that might be the guy we're looking for, so…"

"Oh, I doubt any one of us has these… Smash Balls you're looking for," Min Min answered. "Since none of you technically have ARMS, you could automatically be disqualified… unless you're able to pull off a way into the league like Mechanica. If not, I guess you could watch the matches going on."

"I suppose we could do that," Little Mac responded. "By this point, the winner of this Grand Prix going on just might be determined enough to be the fighter we're looking for."

"Excellent!" Spring Man pointed out. "Just head on over to your seats when no one's watching before the tournament starts. I can probably tell none of you paid for your tickets, huh?" The Smashers shook their heads as a final answer.

"Figured," Ninjara pointed out. "Better take the stairs up to your places, and hurry. Crowds of people will be flooding in…"

"Thank you!" Isabelle called out as the fighters from Arcus climbed up the stairs. "We'll be sure to cheer you on, no matter what!"

"Don't mention it," Ribbon Girl added. Once the fighters and Dante disappeared to the roaring crowd, the four young competitors looked at each other.

"Was the dog… talking to us?" Ninjara questioned.

"The strangest questions often need no answering," Min Min pointed out. "Besides, the Grand Prix starts in ten minutes. Better get on out there soon…"


In one of the spas hidden somewhere around the city, the misty air heated up the tiled floor and walls with a heavy warm fog, making it quite difficult to take in the needed oxygen necessary. This was, in fact, a girls-only spa as many of the female fighters were relaxing in the place. Some were giving themselves pedicures, few were taking mud baths, others relaxed as hot pieces of charcoal were pressed onto their backs. There were those even chilling in different saunas. Palutena, Lucina, and Clementine were the only ones sharing the same sauna so far. All three of them had towels wrapped around their naked bodies, but the Inkling was the only one who didn't have a towel wrapped around her tentacle-hair.

"This is the life," Palutena sighed, pouring some of the water onto the heated coal in the center of the room. "The freshest sauna one can afford and a day spent with my girlfriends. Not… in the romantic way, of course."

"Kind of feeling a little stuffy, now that I think about it," Lucina responded, relaxing herself with the warm mist around her. "Though I must say, the lavender scent was kinda an excellent choice. I'm surprised Clementine's not melting at this point."

"The water's free of radiation, remember?" Palutena added. "Besides, there's nothing wrong with kicking back and relaxing after twenty years of fighting against the forces of evil…" Not a minute passed when their peaceful interlude was interrupted by a familiar blue hedgehog knocking on the glass door, much to their dismay.

"Hey, uh… Clementine?" Sonic asked, his voice muted from the warped glass from the outside of the sauna. "Could you get dressed and meet me outside the sauna? It's kinda urgent…"

"Sonic!?" Zelda called out from a reasonable distance. "What are you doing here? No boys allowed!" A blob of shampoo landed in the blue hedgehog's face, followed by a clamoring of the other feminine Smashers in the spa. The blue hedgehog wiped the soap from his eyes, dashing out of the spa before chaos ensued. Clementine got up from her seat, unlocking the door to the sauna.

"Where are you going?" Lucina asked the Inkling. "You're heading out with Sonic, aren't you?" Clementine nodded, opening the door and walking out of the sauna before closing behind herself.


After fifteen minutes of drying and dressing up, the Inkling walked out of the sauna, taking in the fresh air of the city that was completely absent from the thick, hot atmosphere that was heavy with water and stress-free relief. She jumped a bit when she turned around to meet with the blue hedgehog that called her outside.

"You ready?" Sonic asked. "Got everything you need? Good. Now then… me and Mega Man kinda need you over at our place because we've... kinda discovered some sort of alien message we're hoping you can translate for us." Clementine gave the blue hedgehog a funny look considering how she had been interrupted from her free time to help her other pals take care of things she didn't really have interest in. She loved Sonic as a friend even after they left for a few months, but even then, there were times when he might get on her nerves in the most uncomfortable of moments. After months of multiple Splatfests, you might think you can just be pulled out of relaxation to vent the struggles you went through trying to get to first place and not get frustrated.

The Inkling pulled out her Splattershot, shooting on the road and writing on it with her finger, and her message stated as follows:

"Was it really so important that you had to drag me out of the spa?"

"I… kinda think it is," Sonic answered, rubbing the back of his head. "We just need you for a quick translation. What do ya say?" Clementine sighed, nodding casually in annoyance. Sonic, with a grin on his face, grabbed the Inkling's hand and quickly swept her off her feet. He then dashed off faster than the speed of sound all the way back to Mega Man's apartment.

"Wow," Rockman responded, still surprised that Sonic can do things in the blink of an eye. "That was… kinda fast." Sonic set Clementine back on her feet, by which the Inkling was trembling after having to endure the blue hedgehog's perspective as he ran here. She wobbled as she tried to balance her body by holding onto a nearby table, cursing in her Inkling language.

"Anyways, we kinda figured you can read this language since we can't," Sonic explained to Clementine. "All I kinda remember is that you know these kinds of things. Do you think you can translate it for us? At least write it down on paper or something?" The Inkling came back to her senses, looking at the strange messages broadcasted from the Earth Citrine on the desk.

Clementine quickly recovered, making her way over to the glowing stone and holding it. Sonic and Mega Man watched as the Inkling analyzed every one of those foreign letters, making a careful study on everything the message tried to read.

"Is… something wrong?" Sonic asked the blue bomber next to him.

"From what I can tell, she doesn't understand anything," Mega Man responded, noticing that the Inkling pulled out a notepad and pen, writing down every letter in the message at least once. Regardless of how difficult it was to learn something so new to her, she was determined to learn this language no matter what.

"I'll go get some help," Sonic reminded. "Looks like this message is so hard to decrypt she can't do this alone without a couple of our friends." The blue hedgehog dashed out of the room, and Rockman slowly approached the frantic Inkling.

"Maybe I can assist you in some way," Mega Man asked, trying to give Clementine a helping hand. He looked at the current letters the Inkling had written down, trying to figure out the strange curves and squiggles in each one. As he watched Clementine read through the message broadcasted on the Earth Citrine, he picked up one of the notes with a letter written on it. It seemed to be two curving lines, with the significantly shorter one on the leftmost side. Four horizontal lines were on the right of the longest curved line, with a singular line in-between both curved lines. For whatever reason, Mega Man could read the letter clearly like a sheet of binary code, almost as though he was learning how to say it.

"Né…" Mega Man sounded out, catching the attention of Inkling for a bit. "I think that's how you're supposed to say it. I don't know what it means, but… here. Let me help you until Sonic gets back."


The fighters over at the universe where people diagnosed with ARMS lived wandered into the cheering crowd, trying to look for their seats to avoid getting spotted ticketless. They looked around the large audience, unsuccessful in their search for a row of empty chairs.

"This is just great," Ganondorf groaned. "How are we gonna try to find out who's the guy that has the Smash Ball and the determination thing, whatever the Master Hand says it is, if we can't at least get a decent view of the battles down there?"

"Leave it to me, grandpa," Dante chuckled, adjusting the collar on his red coat. "I will find us our places to sit through the power of good manners." The Devil Hunter walked up to one of the front rows, sitting down next to an attractive, adult woman with black bangs who seemed to lack the ARMS Gene.

"Heya, gorgeous," Dante spoke to her, trying to get the woman's attention through flirting. "I hope you don't mind making some room for me and the boys. We… kinda need to sit down, unless you wanna stay here with me for a while…" The woman slapped him across the face, getting up from her seat and letting five kids, by which Dante assumed were either her children or siblings, follow behind her, possibly transferring themselves to their new seats… wherever they may be. The Devil Hunter waved over to his companions, letting them know he found places for them.

"Uh… thanks, Dante," Little Mac said, with the Son of Sparda scooting over to the right as far as possible so he could make room for the Smashers to sit down.

"Hey, don't sweat it," Dante responded. "It's just my charms that earned the woman's trust."

"Yeah," Ganondorf spoke with sarcasm in his tone. "Sure…" A large horn rang throughout the stadium, giving rise to a deafening cheering throughout the crowd. A large, holographic screen appeared above the stage in the center of the audience, and the host and mascot behind the ARMS League presented his face on the screen. He seemed to have a cartoonish hand growth on his head, and he wore a black bowtie and orange mask over his light-yellow body.

"Thank you, everyone!" the strange creature spoke out to the crowd going wild. "Thank you all for attending the ARMS League Grand Prix 20XX, the biggest league we have ever made to date! My name is Biff, and I am your host and mascot as always. Now it looks like we have a ton of newcomers in our show, both our latest recruits and some new members in our audience, so let's get to the jest. For those of you who don't know, competitors from all over the world use the unique miracle of ARMS to get their way to the top and claim their title as champion, but none have ever taken the spot from the league's founder Max Brass himself. Well, we hope one of these faces you all know and love will overthrow him and crown themselves the champs of the ARMS League!" Biff's camera screen shrunk down to the bottom left corner of the screen, and a tournament bracket chart broadcasted itself for everyone to see. From what the Smashers and Dante figured out, there were twelve slots, and there were six 1v1 battles for the first round, three for the second round, a 4-player free-for-all in the semi-finals, and a battle against Max Brass in the finals.

"Now then…" Biff continued, "let the Grand Prix 20XX begin!" The crowd began to cheer, and two doors on opposite sides of the arena opened up.

"Here he is… the face you all know and love, Spring Man the Bouncer!" Biff cheered, with the crowd cheering for Spring Man as he jogged over the border of the stadium. "Fresh from Spring Gym, he comes bouncing into the fray! Why do they call him 'The Bouncer'? If you're asking, you're not paying attention! He's long dreamed of hanging that championship belt on his mantle, but will he crack under pressure? With a height of 5'11, weighting 168 lbs., and spending most of his days weightlifting and eating pizza, this 20-year old fighter will hopefully be the one to say otherwise!" The door on the opposite side of the stadium opened, and the crowd roared as Spring Man's opponent waltzed in like a ballerina.

"Could it be…?" Biff asked in excitement. "Wow! The crowd's going wild! And why wouldn't it be? Ribbon Girl the Airess has just taken the stage! Not only is she everyone's favorite pop singer from Ribbonics Records, but when it comes to ARMS...she's a total ringer (pun not intended). Her double life has given her double the edge! I must admit, even I'm starstruck! Let's see if this 17-year-old kid with 5'6 in her height can take home the gold and glamor of her adoring fans!" The screen flashed "Round 1," and the first bracket on the chart flashed on-screen, with the words "Spring Man vs. Ribbon Girl" flashed in gold. A timer of five minutes appeared, and the horn blared.

Ribbon Girl threw the first punch, to which Spring Man jumped high in the air. He pulled up his Toaster ARMS, parrying the Airess's second punch. He quickly shot out both of his ARMS, which glowed in red flames as he grabbed Ribbon Girl's waist and pulled her towards him. In his grab, Spring Man knocked his opponent back with a rough punch into the chest, knocking her down onto the concrete ground of the stadium and making the whole crowd go wild. Ribbon Girl quickly jumped back onto her feet, dancing through the air with multiple punches and dodging Spring Man's fiery punches.

She landed on the ground and slammed her Sparky ARMS into Spring Man's face, electrocuting him with the attribute those equitable ARMS of hers packed. This significantly slowed down Spring Man's movement options, but Ribbon Girl was too slow in getting out the next few punches once her opponent defended himself from her punches. As the next few minutes went on as the crowd cheered, the fighters in the audience watched as the two ARMS League contestants threw their punches.

"Who do you suppose might win?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked the other Smashers.

"I don't know," Little Mac answered. "It could be any one of them, so I guess we can assume whoever beats this Max Brass guy has to be the one we're after… right?"

"I think Spring Man might win," Isabelle said. "I have a gut feeling he might be the one we're looking for…"

"How would you know?" Ganondorf questioned. "I'm quite sure there are plenty to choose from. You might find your favorite. Besides, we don't know if Spring Man could be like one of us. He was an Assist Trophy before…" While they were talking, the bell suddenly rang, and the crowd shrieked in excitement once more.

"Looks like Ribbon Girl's down for the count!" Biff spoke on the monitor, with some of the fans mumbling in worry as Ribbon Girl limped away into the building in defeat, having been forced to sit out for the rest of the tourney. The fighters in the crowd looked down in surprise, not having the chance to witness the Airess get knocked out by Spring Man in the end. The Bouncer raised his ARMS triumphantly, laughing in victory.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we have our winner for the first match of Round 1!" Biff continued. "It is Spring Man, and it looks like he's going to Round 2! Stay seated for just a second folks. We'll be heading on over to the next stage in the ARMS League."

"What does he mean…?" Dante asked before he, his buddies, and everyone else in the building was covered in a neon green-blue light. In just a few seconds, the entirety of the ARMS League was out in the open in what appeared to be a dark, gloomy cemetery mixed with a hospital for… mummified corpses?

"Oh," Dante noted with realization to his previous question. "Looks like the technology's slightly more advanced here…" A wisp of smoke dashed out onto the ring, revealing himself to be Ninjara and making the crowd go wild.

"Heading out onto the Mausoleum is the Student of Stealth: Ninjara!" Biff shouted out, with most of the crowd cheering for him. "Now you see him. Now you don't. Now you only THINK you see him... Seriously, is that really him? Currently, he is studying at Ninja College, or as it's officially named, Rasen Ninjutsu University. He clocks in at 21 years of age, weighs in at about 150 lbs., and is 5'10 in height. So let's see if he's got what it takes to pass this test!" Bursting through the opposite side of the ring appeared to be some sort of purple-skinned man with a hulking body the size of a gorilla, wrapped up entirely in linen cloth. A golden harness is bolted to his head like a mask, and his ARMS seemed to drag behind himself quite roughly.

"Here he is—the undead idol we love to fear... It's the Grim Creeper, aka Master Mummy!" Biff continued, with yet another roar from the crowd. "Master Mummy's story has always been wrapped in mystery...and 500 thread count cotton, plus with 368 lbs. in his weight and a height of 7'6. He's been searching for answers since he rose from the dead about what happened to his wife and son, but will victory bring the closure he seeks?"

"Ooh, an undead amnesiac," Dante chuckled, leaning over the edge of the fence keeping audience members from falling into the ring.

"Focus, Dante," Ganondorf resounded, watching the letters "Ninjara vs. Master Mummy" flash on-screen with the 5-minute timer counting down. "The best we can do is see if the winner of the league could be our chosen one." The horn blared, and Master Mummy beat his chest with his Megaton ARMS before dashing ahead towards the Student of Stealth. Before the Grim Creeper's ARMS hit Ninjara, the young ninja vanished in a puff of smoke and reappeared behind Master Mummy, thrusting his Chakram ARMS behind his opponent's back and snagging on tightly to the cotton wraps.

Master Mummy was stunned by the Chakram ARMS drilling deep into his rotting skin, giving Ninjara a chance to throw the Grim Creeper into the ground midair. As soon as Ninjara landed, he threw his ARMS at a recovering Master Mummy, hitting him roughly in the face with the curving equipment attached to his ARMS. When Ninjara punched again, Master Mummy pulled up his own ARMS and blocked the attacks, recovering some of his health. He then grabbed ahold of Ninjara and slammed him hard into the ground.

The Student of Stealth was much faster than the Grim Creeper, and he quickly vanished in a puff of smoke before Master Mummy cornered him at the edge of the ring. Ninjara began to glow with a yellow aura, with the crowd chanting "Rush! Rush! Rush!" in a repetitive manner. Coated in golden flames, Ninjara unleashed a special move on Master Mummy, rapidly jabbing the beefy undead fighter with his Chakram ARMS and knocking him out.

"And we have our winner for the second match!" Biff called out as the crowd went wild. "Ninjara takes the win and is pushing his way into Round 2! Will he have what it takes to take down Spring Man? Only one way to find out. For now, let's move on to the next match!"


The gloves of Meta Knight began to strum the strings on an acoustic guitar, accompanied by the soft whistling of the masked swordsman. He sat on the edge of a cliff, gazing out into the afternoon sea as he played his leitmotif on his guitar. It reminded him of the Halberd… its glorious majesty and wonder as the sea glistened with sunlight.

Meta Knight felt at peace, and he always had ever since the war between light and dark. As he whistled his theme, he began to think if there was something more at play. For whatever time he had left, he knew that he shouldn't let I've hold him down forever. Just when things that troubled him seemed to go away through the music…

"Hiya, MK!" Sonic called out right behind him, scaring the masked swordsman and causing him to slip and fall off the cliff. Sonic chuckled with the notion that what he did was a complete accident, watching as a pissed-off Meta Knight transformed his cape into bat wings and glided back onto solid ground with the guitar in his gloved grip.

"¡Idiota! ¡No vuelvas a asustarme así!" Meta Knight snapped in his native language, pulling out the Galaxia and pointing it at Sonic's chest.

"Woah, take it easy," Sonic chuckled nervously, slowly pushing the tip of the golden blade away from him. "I just kinda needed a favor to ask of you…"

"Perhaps you should learn how to not scare people off cliffs, estúpido," Meta Knight growled, slipping his acoustic guitar and sword behind his cape. "Maybe all these months growing up on Arcus has turned you into a reckless rodent, hasn't it?"

"Okay, Meta Knight," Sonic apologized. "I'm sorry. It's just that… this is something very important I can't do without you. Mega Man and I had just uncovered a hidden message in the Earth Citrine, and we need your help decrypting it."

"Decrypting it?" Meta Knight asked, having just gained the curiosity of the situation. "How did you even get the Earth Citrine?"

"Some guy named Dante found it for us," Sonic answered. "He's in another universe with Ganondorf and a few of our pals, trying to find another fighter. The message the Earth Citrine's showing us is something we can't translate well, and Clementine's doing the best she can."

"I believe I know a friend of ours who can help," Meta Knight responded. "I may not know what you just said, but I'll be damned if I don't help you with your current scenario."

"Thanks, pal," Sonic chuckled. "Who's the guy you wanna visit?"

"It may not be likely, but I am certain Link might help with translating," Meta Knight answered. "I believe he's on Luna's Atoll, taking pictures of the wildlife there."

"So… he's on an island," Sonic sighed, knowing he can't really swim due to having terrible memories of being underwater. "Can you fly me over there?"

"Gladly," Meta Knight responded, unfurling his bat-like wings and grabbing ahold of Sonic's bionic hands. He took off into the air, with the blue hedgehog clinging on tightly to his gloved hands as he looked down upon the view of the land near the ocean several feet in the air. Sonic laughed as he felt the cool breeze blowing through his quills, never feeling more alive in his life as Meta Knight helped carry him to a crescent-shaped island in the sea.

"This is amazing!" Sonic laughed, losing his grip and falling before Meta Knight quickly swooped in and grabbed onto the blue rodent's hands again. "Do you always have this much freedom when you fly?"

"I guess I do," Meta Knight answered. "You know, you should always learn not to be such a reckless rodent."

"Relax, MK," Sonic noted. "Dangerous is my middle name."

"No, it's not," Meta Knight jokingly responded. "Your middle name's 'the.'" Sonic laughed at that remark, keeping memory of what to tell the Champion of Hyrule as the masked swordsman glided down towards Luna's Atoll.

Link was hiding behind a mossy rock, with the soft breeze blowing through the tall grass and tickling his pointy ears. The salty sea air cleared the Hylian's sinuses, giving him a better vision on the photography he was taking of the wildlife native to the atoll. He managed to spot some sort of three-eyed road with an angler on its head, which was sitting on a small rock near a puddle filled with a peculiar green muck. A dragonfly with a singular, large compound eye buzzed overhead, shedding a white powder over the muck. The Champion of Hyrule pulled out his Sheikah Slate, taking a couple photographs of both the one-eyed dragonfly and the strange toad before the toad flicked its tongue at the dragonfly, dragging the insect into its mouth and chewing through its crunchy exoskeleton with its powerful jaws.

Link analyzed the photos he took, noticing that the dragonfly was in fact fertilizing the muck on the puddle, leading him to believe that the muck was a cluster of tiny eggs and the dragonfly had male attributes. Just then, the Champion of Hyrule heard the sound of footsteps landing on the atoll, and he looked to his right to spot Sonic and Meta Knight.

"Hi, Link," Sonic greeted. "Looks like the wildlife's fascinating, huh?"

"I guess," Link answered. "Strange how all these creatures existed up until the end of the dragon reign, and they just popped back out of the blue after we conquered both light and darkness. I already took photographs of some of the animals. Wanna look?" Link gave the Sheikah Slate to the blue hedgehog, going through a slideshow of critters far more peculiar than the ones the Hylian got before.

"That looks really interesting," Meta Knight complimented, peering over Sonic's shoulder. "Were you always using this to blog wildlife?"

"Oh yeah," Link pointed out. "It does a lot more than taking pictures of alien animals and activating special kinds of bombs. It can also scan pieces of machinery, analyze blueprints, collect data, help me solve puzzles, translate foreign languages… anything you want to do for the most part. I kinda wonder why Sheik never mentioned this…"

"That's kinda why I came to visit you, Link," Sonic noted. "Y'see, Mega Man and I came across a mysterious message we can't decode without your help. The Inkling's doing the best she can, but I think we need more help to solve it. Think you can help?"

"Of course I am," Link answered with a cheerful heart. "How exactly did you get this message?"

"The Earth Citrine activated for them," Meta Knight answered. "That's precisely what the young hedgehog told me."

"I kinda wonder… how did you even get here to Luna's Atoll?" Sonic asked. "There isn't even a boat on shore."

"I found a way after reconnecting my roots to the Hyrule I ended up in," Link answered. "Climb onto my back, Sonic." The blue hedgehog eagerly held on tight to the Hylian's back, his curiosity growing as Link pulled out his glider and some strange glowing orb. A gust of wind blew underneath Link and Sonic, carrying them both into the air with tremendous force. The blue hedgehog noticed that the ancient spirit of Revali was the one behind the gust of wind, and the Divine Rito Champion vanished once Link pulled out his glider and aimed for the shore at the main land Sonic and Meta Knight arrived from. The masked swordsman took off into the air, flying next to the blue hedgehog and the Champion of Hyrule.

"So you're saying you need me to translate some ancient language because I have access to a Sheikah Slate?" Link asked.

"I think that's what Meta Knight said," Sonic answered. "Hope we can get this figured out once we get back to Clementine and Rockman…"


Mega Man had just finished helping Clementine translate the whole message, writing the alien letters in how they sounded in the common language down on a piece of paper. The Inkling double-checked through the letters on the Earth Citrine, making sure she didn't miss a single one, and gathered up the notes lying on the desk. Sonic reappeared in a flash, leaning on the door frame.

"Oh, you're back," Rockman noted, spotting the blue hedgehog. "Took you a while longer than I expected."

"Yeah, I kinda went to get help," Sonic answered, with Meta Knight and Link walking into the room.

"I think Clementine and I got the hang of this language," Mega Man explained, handing the Champion of Hyrule the paper he wrote on. "It's almost like we can read it like binary code…" Link read through the paper, which went as follows:

Nésyl umbrëgilueaëg éshtumbr sāhnéshtumbrtæl uiosyl nésylüriumbrlnonésyloot éshtcraëgueauioésht,

Éshtueasyl ootceauioëgilnéuiosylsāhn sāhncraumbrceanaiil ëgnésāhnuea pianééshtcra ilueazahueasylsāhnueasāhn sāhnueaésht

Voceaëgnéueail ilueaueatæl pianééshtcranésyl ootuealnosāhn, sāhnéshtumbrsyluea, uiosylil sāhnéshtueanainai

Nésāhn éshtcrauea zahnéëgsāhnésht tælnéueaüriuea umbrzah éshtcrauea tælceaielnielnnaiuea ætchumbrcea lnoceasāhnésht üriumbrsylüriueauionai.

"Oh my…" Meta Knight responded.

"Oh my indeed," Mega Man noted.

"So… Link," Sonic noted. "Do you think you can help translate the rest for us? Shouldn't be too hard with that slate of yours…" Link grabbed ahold of his Sheikah Slate, snapping a picture of the message written on the paper. The Champion of Hyrule then took a photo of the alien message floating above the Earth Citrine. The Hylian then began tapping on the smooth screen of the ancient tablet, waiting for it to process the language into something readable.

"Uh… what's taking it so long?" Sonic asked.

"This Sheikah Slate has had a few upgrades in recent months," Link confessed. "After raiding multiple temples, it wouldn't make sense why this thing takes forever translating new languages. This usually takes a few, otherwise it'll just be a bunch of errors. Hold on…" Link tapped on the frozen screen a few more times, trying to get a good result from the ancient device.

"I wouldn't advise you tap on it that much," Meta Knight pointed out, worried that Link might break the one obligatory thing he kept around all this time.

"I've had this thing for as long as I can remember," Link added, trying to restrain himself from harming the frozen Sheikah Slate. "I know how to fix these kinds of situations, and there we go… I think." The Sheikah Slate finished loading, and the additional lag it took processing the language translated the whole message into the common language completely by accident.

"Was your thing supposed to do that?" Mega Man asked.

"I don't know…" Link answered, reading the full translation on the ancient tablet. "Well, anything I read is usually in Hylian, but I modified this thing just so everyone can read what it says. Alright. Here we go…"

In order to stop an incoming threat,

Ten guardians should rise with defenses set

Buried deep within gems, stone, and steel

Is the first piece of the puzzle you must conceal.

"Is that what it says?" Mega Man asked, with the Inkling reading over Link's shoulder. "Looks like it's gonna take a while to learn this whole alien alphabet…" As Clementine walked over to the notes she gathered on the desk, she and the fighters in the room noticed that the original message from the Earth Citrine vanished, and a path of orange light flowed out the door. Meta Knight glided over to the stone and picked it up, with the light path still on the ground.

"Ten guardians? Defenses set? First piece of the puzzle?" Sonic questioned. "Well, wherever that stone's leading us has to give us our answers eventually." The blue hedgehog zoomed out the door, getting a headset as always.

"Wait for us!" Link called out, reattaching his Sheikah Slate onto his belt and following the path outside Mega Man's room. Sure enough, Mega Man, Clementine, and Meta Knight followed behind the Champion of Hyrule.


While all that was going on, Dante, Ganondorf, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Wii Fit Trainer, and Little Mac were watching the next few matches about to take place during the first round. The next match took place in front of some sort of Chinese ramen restaurant, with the bowl-like stage curving inward to the center. Min Min emerged from one side of the ring, her fans cheering for her.

"Could it be? Is it she? It is!" Biff called out as Min Min waved her ARMS to the raving crowd. "Well, get a whiff of that! The one and only Ramen Bomber" has entered the ring. It's Min Min! This young lady proves that "noodle arms" ain't no joke—They pack a real punch! And don't let her size fool you—Min Min's fighting can kick it with the best of 'em, and her heritage from the Mintendo Noodle House clearly shows. With 5'5 in her height and an age of 18, this next opponent of hers is sure to feel the fiery burn!" Emerging from the other side of the stage was some sort of human girl who lacked the spirals in her eyes and was fully human. The mech she piloted was some sort of yellow tube-like machine, complete with ARMS of its own.

"Here she is: the only kid on our block that lacks the ARMS Gene!" Biff called out, with a hosanna from the crowd calling out her name. "Sure, she's young, but the Scrapyard Scrapper is as destructive as she is darling! But under that metal exterior, Mechanica is a kid like any other! Well, sort of...How many kids do you know who'd design and make a heavyweight powered suit with built-in thrusters? This 15-year-old chick stands at a height of 7'8 inside the suit and 5'2 outside, and adding her weight of 99 lbs. to that mech she designed herself brings her total weight to a whopping 1202 lbs.! Who doubted her when she dreamed of making it to the big league ever since she was just a humble fan or our shows? Let's hope she isn't served as her opponent's next meal!"

"Woo! A catfight!" Dante laughed. "This is gonna be fun…" The 5-minute timer started, and the horn blared throughout the stage. Mechanica used the thrusters on her mech, dashing through the air while powering through Min Min's Megawatt ARMS which would stun lighter opponents midair. Mechanica activated the ARMS on her mech, avoiding the roundhouse kick executed by the Ramen Bomber's agile movement by ducking her head into the cockpit.

The ARMS on the mech began shooting out multiple projectiles at Min Min with the Revolver ARMS equipped onto it. Min Min successfully charged her ARMS for longer than expected, automatically transforming her left ARM into a Dragon ARM. It fired a beam at the first round of Mechanica's attacks, which burned the multishot property the first throw had but was unsuccessful in hitting the second. The Scrapyard Scrapper knocked Min Min down, forcing the Chinese martial artist to lose her Dragon ARM which would have otherwise lasted the entire match.

Despite being agile in her movements with such heavy ARMS, Min Min was no match against the mech piloted by the teenage girl that didn't even have the gene as she was growing up, and she was instantly knocked out by the Scrapyard Scrapper's Rush move. Mechanica's fans cheered loud, with some of the audience members that also didn't have the gene like her shrieking in excitement.

"Who would have guessed that a match in the first round would belong to Mechanica!?" Biff exclaimed. "We're seeing strong progress, so let's move on to the next round of fighters!"

"Wow… all these fighters, and they hold such raw determination…" the Wii Fit Trainer noted in surprise as she watched the entirety of the ARMS League get enveloped by the neon green-blue light, the seats underneath them vanishing.

"Careful, guys," Isabelle noted, getting up from her seat. "Where we're going, we don't need seats…" The five Smashers and the Devil Hunter then looked around to see some sort of movie theater, which was filled with luxurious cars in the circular driveway. The doors to the cinema opened, followed by the whistling and cheering of fans as well as flash photography. A woman with dark brown skin as smooth as chocolate dressed in black skintight pants, a white sleeveless shirt, and black high heels. What was strangest about this obvious celebrity was that she had the ARMS Gene… but not in the way anyone expected it. Instead of having her arms transformed, her white-and-pink hair was affected by it.

"Looks like this celebrity has taken center stage!" Biff spoke on the holographic screen still above the ring. Roll out the red carpet! The Silver Screen Queen herself, Twintelle is making her entrance. She's an ARMS fighter, but it's not her arms you need to worry about... It's her hair that packs a punch! So keep your eyes on those shiny, silvery locks! According to ARMS Labs, she's the only known person in the world with the ARMS Gene affecting her hair, but she has declined the laboratory's requests to give them some of her hair three times. This dazzling actress has a height of 5'10, weighs 139 lbs., and is at the golden age of 26."

"Huh. Looks like arms aren't the only parts of the body affected by this strange gene," Little Mac noted.

"Suit yourself," Dante answered, staring at the fact that Twintelle was… well-rounded The Devil Hunter slipped back to reality once the Silver Screen Queen's opponents arrived. Emphasis on opponents. They were two robots, with the more humanoid of the two sporting wind-up keys on his shoulders on his policeman-like design. His smaller companion looked like some sort of dog head mounted on a single wheel, with a red beacon on his head.

"If you thought a dog's bark is worse than its bite, then you haven't seen this iconic duo!" Biff went on. "Bad guys, beware! Our favorite police team, the Clockwork Cops of Buster Beach, is on a new beat. Give a warm welcome to Byte & Barq! An unlikely duo, Byte's a standard-model patrol unit and Barq's a tin pup trained to search for lost items. They've been on duty for a while now, but are eager to get back to their true love—fighting! They kinda cheated their way into the ARMS League due to the fact they're of the K-9000 model and designed to disguise themselves as a singular individual, but don't let that slippage through our guidelines bother you! Their popularity saved them and kept them in the ranks! Together, they weigh 265 lbs., and they are built around the height of 6'2… well, with Byte mainly…" The horn rang, and the 2v1 match began.

Twintelle shook her hair around, activating the ARMS Gene inside her locks. She began punching at the Clockwork Cops, mainly aiming for Byte while keeping in mind of the Toaster ARM Barq shot out. Byte jumped on Barq's head, activating his Seekie ARMS which homed in on Twintelle. She quickly dashed through the attack as best as she could, briefly slowing down time for a minute and following up with a one-two punch from her Chilla ARMS, which slowed down Byte as much as her time-stopping moves. However, the actress was hit in the shin by Barq, which dealt a fiery blow against her.

As the fighters in the audience watched with excitement, Dante heard a strange gust of wind from the back of the crowd nobody seemed to notice except him. It wasn't a demon since the movement was slow, so that was a relief. Before he suspected anything else, the match was over and Twintelle was victorious.

"And there you have it, folks!" Biff sounded out. "Twintelle is moving onto the second round! We have two more matches remaining, so stay seated!" The league was warped over to a new location, by which it looked like some sort of lab with six test tubes laid around. A masked contender with scaly clothing breakdanced into the scene, wearing some sort of helmet that obstructed his face entirely like a real cobra. As soon as he finished busting out a few moves, he waved to his audience, which cheered for him in their seats.

"Welcome to the Speed Demon's domain, where Kid Cobra runs the show!" Biff called out. "He's a top snakeboard rider, an extreme sport that involves landing tricks on a spinning board. His signature quick step allows him to strike at his prey as fast as a snake! How, you may ask? Simple. Is it his height of 6'0 or the weight of 170 lbs., which was accomplished at the age of 19? Not really. Out of 1 in every 100,000 people, Kid Cobra is one of these few to be genetically born with the ARMS Gene, and his face still hasn't been revealed to this day." Some sort of stretchy green humanoid jumped into the stage, with ARMS resembling DNA molecules, strands of pink and blue on his head, and a metal mask with two yellow lights on it.

"Right now all eyes are locked on the "Man" of Mystery and test tube titan...Helix!" Biff introduced to the cheering audience. "He's representing the famous ARMS Laboratories—the epicenter of all ARMS-based research. So just how will the result of a science experiment fare outside the lab? Having only been born 2 years ago, one may never know…!" Once the horn blared once again, the two opponents went after each other.

Kid Cobra gave off his loads of style and major moves, dashing underneath Helix's swinging ARMS before following up with a quick uppercut with his Slamamander ARMS. A green wind effect surrounded Helix, knocking him back pretty far. The green blob quickly turned into a puddle before springing up into the air, slamming his Blorb ARMS into Kid Cobra and blinding the Speed Demon's mismatching eyes of green and violet. Kid Cobra quickly wiped the blue sludge from his masked face, grabbing ahold of the "Man" of Mystery and slapping the humanoid blob in the face before preforming a breakdance kick to knock Helix back.

"Y'know, this is getting kinda boring," Dante yawned, clearly showing no signs of interest in the matches going on. "I'm gonna go take a quick piss. Let me know when someone gets to this Max Brass guy."

"But you can't leave!" Isabelle objected.

"The only reason why Sozo assigned you with us was because you were the only other person in the room," Ganondorf encouraged. "Besides, we are supposed to be on the lookout for our fighter, no matter who's the winner or loser."

"Dude… I really need to piss," Dante responded. "Can you at least let me use one of the restrooms here?" Ganondorf groaned in annoyance from the devil-may-care half-demon.

"Ugh… fine. But make it quick," Ganondorf sighed. Dante climbed up onto the tops of the chairs, "tight-roping" his way to the left of the seats. Dark Samus looked back at the Devil Hunter as he ran off to the nearest exit door faster than the average human.


Dante made his way over to the empty halls, where he could hear the faint cheering going on outside. The Devil Hunter clearly lied about having to use the bathroom, for he knew full-on that someone was there. Just several feet away, Dante could hear the faint humming of a levitating aircraft right around the corner at the end of one of the hallways, and he walked towards the sound as quiet as a mouse. The closer he got to the suspicious sound, the more it seemed to move away from him until he eventually ended up in front of the janitor equipment door.

He suspected the quiet humming sound disappeared behind the door, so he jiggled the knob a bit. He was surprised to find out the door wasn't even locked, leading him to the conclusion that whoever went in there forgot to double-check to make sure no one got in. Dante opened the door and slipped in.

"Hm… think it would be a little nice if you could light up this tiny place," Dante jokingly told himself. "Wonder where the light switch is...?" The Devil Hunter quickly managed to spot it even in such a dark room, and he flicked it on. The moment he did that, a neon-green circle with the emblem of a skull and a lightning bolt covering its right eye appeared on the tiled floor, opening up a metal chute that descended deeper underground.

"Well, hello," Dante spoke. The Devil Hunter wasted no time jumping in, sliding down the chute until he reached solid ground. The Devil Hunter poked his head out of the chute, looking at the mysterious place he arrived in. The rusty air hung over the walls that were tainted with messy experiments, with a conveyor belt in the center of the room that seemed to have been elevated to the corners. Test tubes were carried around on the ceiling, outshining the lights that dimly illuminated the place.

"Looks like someone has a lot of time on their hands," Dante remarked, walking over to a wall where medals, badges, and gadgets were hung in front of multiple blueprints lying on a desk, which seemed to be failed attempts in analysis on Mechanica's suit due to multiple scribbles in white damning the blueprints and labeling them as "useless." He also noticed cassette tapes lying around the desk, with labels that predated back to two years ago. They all seemed to focus around Helix, the green humanoid blob. The Devil Hunter knew that whoever lived here seemed to be a whole lot dedicated to their work, and he took off a small badge off the wall to read who it belonged to.

"Dr. Coyle…?" The moment he figured out the name of the doctor living in this place, his demonic powers kicked in. As though he sensed it was coming, Dante quickly dodged an ARM flying in from his side. A small explosion occurred where the heavy ARM landed, and Dante quickly drew his gun Ivory with his right hand, shooting some sort of metallic plating and knocking the invisible attacker down.

"A gun?" the attacker asked as she groaned, some blue electricity dancing around her body and revealed her invisible appearance. "Who the hell brings a gun into a fistfight?" What Dante just shot seemed to be a metallic suit in a copper color, with every cog and gear and even her ARMS being centered around lightning and a jet designed for hovering attached to her back. Her long, messy green bangs covered up one of her eyes on the right, which were also green and sported the spiral shape those growing up with the genetic mutation always have. Her suit seems to be a mix of green and black, with a purple mask concealing her face.

"You're Dr. Coyle, ain't ya?" Dante asked, pointing his gun at her from a reasonable distance. "From how this place looks, you could tidy up once in a while…"

"You sure are clever, especially coming from an individual without ARMS," Dr. Coyle responded, levitating as she got herself up, slipped her Lokjaw ARMS off, and attached them to her waist. "Following me all the way down here, and I haven't even figured out your name."

"Dante," the Devil Hunter answered. "Let me guess: you're down here because of a friendship with the current champ that turned sour because of political differences which resulted in you becoming rivals with him and which also explains why you have so many weird things in your lab." Dr. Coyle held her tongue, unable to put up a good argument as to how Dante could read her like a book just from those expressions of hers.

"Uh… yes," Dr. Coyle added, surprised Dante revealed his backstory without her telling him. "Perhaps your cleverness could be useful. Follow me. And don't touch anything." The middle-aged boxer walked to the other side of the room towards a black curtain, grabbing some of the blueprints and cassette tapes beforehand.

"Thirty years ago, I founded ARMS Laboratories, the guys who run the league and the Grand Prix every year," Dr. Coyle explained as she placed her stuff on the table next to her. "Even if I wasn't born with the gene, I devoted my life to decrypting the secrets about it that even predate back to when humans first walked the earth. Eventually, I perfected the ability and trained hard with it. They called me the Rad Scientist, a once-in-a-lifetime genius. Max Brass wasn't always the champion of the ring. He was once my assistant."

"Something happen between you two?" Dante asked. "Not that I don't mind anyway…"

"Where he saw entertainment and fame from the research, I saw potential in my studies," Dr. Coyle continued as she set her things up. "Potential that can help people. Create new life. Raise the dead. He said I should stop worrying about these kinds of things. He said all those years of research… meant nothing to me. He said all the people want nowadays is to see those born with a gift unique to only them fighting in front of a crowd. But I will prove him wrong… with everything you see here. I will become the greatest ARMS champion of all time, and I will prove to the people that the ARMS League stands for a whole lot more…"

"You're quite determined, aren't you?" Dante asked. "I guess fighting for sport kinda blinds others until all they see is entertainment from physical pain. And there's nothing really wrong with that in the right sense. But I'm kinda getting carried away from myself. Building something behind that curtain?" The Devil Hunter watched as Dr. Coyle plugged a few routers from behind the curtain into some sort of small, boxy TV. She turned the TV on and popped in the youngest cassette she had.

"Finally, it took two years to complete alongside my other project, but it looks like Springtron's almost complete," Dr. Coyle muttered. The cassette player, showcasing a match between Helix and Master Mummy. The moving camera was mostly focusing on Helix, from what Dante saw. The Rad Scientist pulled away the curtain, revealing some sort of robot that had the exact same structure as Spring Man but was built with a mouthpiece, blackened eyes, and a red-and-black coat of paint. This machine was strapped to some sort of metal table, and she loosened the straps keeping the bot in place.

"The idea of Springtron came to me after trying to exploit Mechanica's weakness," Dr. Coyle explained. "That girl is a complete natural, I tell you that. I have no idea how she made that mech of hers, but I guess her family's gotten real friendly with Max Brass in recent years. Her tastes in culture, however… let's just say I'm the complete opposite of her. Springtron: activate!" The machine heard her command, and his eyes flashed a bright blue. Springtron moved his limbs, climbing off the table he was resting on.

"Springtron: attack!" Dr. Coyle commanded. As she walked off, Dante grabbed her near the shoulder.

"You probably want me to stand still so you can test his combat maneuvers?" Dante asked.

"Just trust me," Dr. Coyle responded. As soon as the middle-aged scientist walked off to the side, Springtron unleashed his Toaster ARMS at the Devil Hunter. The robot managed to hit Dante in the chest with a powerful force that knocked him down. As soon as Dante got back up, he shielded himself using his arms to deflect the powerful punches coming from Springtron.

"Huh," Dr. Coyle spoke, with the notion that whatever she was thinking were thrown out of the window due to the events exceeding her expectations. "Looks like the premature blob had more fight in him than I thought. Okay, Springtron. Stop." The machine obeyed his creator's orders, and he drew his ARMS away from Dante.

"Those videos that I played via cassette tapes?" Dr. Coyle explained. "They were supposed to analyze Helix's presence from within the ARMS League, made to counter my failed experiment's movements. I'm honestly surprised that he learned how to fight in the past couple years, even if he hasn't grown outside of the tube he was supposed to stay in longer. This robot was made during Spring Man's popularity years… the perfect killing machine against any second-generation competitor."

"I'm quite surprised you did all this just so you could take back the glory you once had," Dante pointed out.

"He's still a work in progress," Dr. Coyle explained. "I just need to make a few adjustments to him before he steps into the ring, most notably his lack of voice…"

"Anything you want me to do?" Dante asked.

"You can help me with finishing up Hedlok," Dr. Coyle answered.

"Hedlok?" Dante questioned. "What is it? Some sort of masterpiece exceeding that bot of yours?"

"Yes. He's my greatest creation, a prototype with the ability to override the mind of its wearer. He's planned as a follow-up to another project the lab designed, a way to help ordinary humans control all the ARMS the original prototype failed to deliver according to my theories. Perhaps with your keen intellect, we can come up with a way to reclaim my title as champ."

"Sorry, mistress," Dante responded with his careless attitude, walking back to the same chute he came in. "I'm a one-man team, and besides… I don't speak to people a little… crazy in the head."

"C- Crazy?" Dr. Coyle asked before clearing her throat. Despite being a mad scientist, she knew how to keep her cool, and snapping back at the snarky Devil Hunter was definitely not an okay thing to do, for she knew that it would just confirm his thoughts about her. "I understand completely. If you need me, I'll be there, working tirelessly on Hedlok until he's fully completed around this Grand Prix…" The Son of Sparda climbed up the chute, making his way back up to the ARMS League.

"Springtron…?" Dr. Coyle asked. "Do you think you can bribe the matchmakers to put you in the free-for-all round? It has no cost efficiency, really."


"And Helix is our winner!" Biff cried out through the holographic screen. "Who would have thought this premature fighter wouldn't make it on the first step to becoming champion?" On the current state, Helix hollered in victory, bouncing around as Kid Cobra snaked out in defeat, clenching his fist as he felt ashamed of losing to the youngest fighter in the league.

"Stay seated, folks!" Biff continued. "We've got the last match of the round between our lovable world-traveling clown Lola Pop, the Sucker Puncher, and the Spirited Fighter Misango, hailing from the Misangan lands!" Everyone in the stadium was warped over to another stage, which appeared to be some sort of candy land-themed place where it rained gumdrops and chocolate ran down the walls in the forms of waterfalls.

"…Who takes THIS long to use the restroom?" Little Mac asked. "Shouldn't Dante have finished using the bathroom five minutes ago?"

"Beats me," Ganondorf answered. On one side of the stage, a clown-like fighter flew in like a deflated whoopee cushion. Her ARMS were based off candy, and she wore striped and spotted overalls that complimented her goofy and sweet appearance.

"You may recognize our next fighter from her performances on this very street corner. It's Lola Pop!" Biff introduced to the crowd. "Watch out for the Sucker Puncher herself, folks—this gal doesn't clown around. She's spent years traveling the world, honing her craft. But if she wins this grand prix, she'll put down some roots and use the winnings to start her own circus!"

"Hey, guys," Dante spoke out to his pals, calling out to them from the cheering crowd.

"Oh, finally," Ganondorf sighed. "You're just in time for the next match. Helix won back in the previous one." On the other side of the stage seemed to be some sort of tribal warrior complete with a golden headband, a blue shirt and shorts, and ARMS made out of woven fabric.

"From the remote region of Misanga, named for its eponymous deity, it's…Misango!" Biff continued. "His fighting style—enhanced by the spiritual woven entity at his side—has been passed down from generation to generation through the arts of the Spirited Fighter. According to a vague prophecy, Misango must enter the Grand Prix to prove that the Misangan fighting style is the greatest in the world!"

"Eh… I dunno about that clown over there," Dante groaned once the horn blared and the two opponents dashed after each other, with Lola Pop inflating herself like a balloon and rolling straight into Misango before deflating. "Do you think she could lose against that spirit guy?"

"What do you mean?" Isabelle asked, watching as Misango used his Scorpio ARMS to have them scuttle across the graham cracker ground and hitting her legs with their poisonous tips. "Do you have a fear of clowns? Is the Legendary Devil Hunter himself a coulrophobic?"

"Not really…" Dante responded, obviously showing the sign he wasn't afraid of something that couldn't attack him. "It's just that… looking at clowns now kinda gives me… a bad feeling in my gut."


Near the pit of Ginnungagap, Hakai stared down into the darkness beneath the chasm. He had been staying there for a long while, simply doing nothing and letting nothing but the peaceful sounds of the darkness calm his mind. He wanted to enter the void, and yet he couldn't do so. Try as he may, the violet-eyed general simply wouldn't fall in. Just then, a path of orange light flowed beside him, descending deep into the Pit of Ice and Fire. Hakai then turned around to hear the rapid pattering of footsteps coming his way, and a dust of smoke emerged from whoever was skidding across the dirt blossoming with new life.

"Sonic!" Hakai exclaimed. "I give out my sincerest apologies for not noticing you were here… What brings you to this place?"

"It's a long story," Sonic answered. Running right behind him were Meta Knight, Link, Mega Man, and Clementine, for the blue hedgehog took care not to run too fast and get them lost.

"Why do you have the Earth Citrine?" Hakai asked, noticing Meta Knight holding the stone. "What's going on?"

"While I was researching on that thing for answers, something happened and now it's generating a light path… down there…" Mega Man answered, trailing off as he saw the abandoned pit. "Why are you here, Hakai? Isn't your brother worried?"

"I often come here to think," Hakai answered. "Think about the secrets of every parallel universe out there, how every speck of dust down to the smallest quark is connected with each other. You're saying this stone is leading you… down to the bottom of Ginnungagap?"

"Sure looks like it," Link answered. "The message from that gem told us we need to look for ten guardians to… conceal a puzzle."

"Sure sounds important," the violet-eyed general answered. "Perhaps I can be of assistance."

"Thanks, Hakai," Sonic responded, tightening his white gloves. "We don't know what we'd do without you."

"So… you're saying you need to go down that pit?" Hakai asked.

"If it satisfies our curiosity," Mega Man answered.

"…I see," the violet-eyed dragon noted, transforming into the Crazy Hand with his left wing unfurled. "Hop on. I'll take you down there." Link held onto the Inkling's waist, hoisting her into the Crazy Hand's palm.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Meta Knight asked, looking down at the glowing stone he was holding. "The Subspace Army has been living out of that pit for quite a while, and maybe it's for the best." Sonic and Mega Man exchanged glances, looking at each other and then the masked swordsman before nodding in response. Meta Knight, aware that he would get involved in this anyway, took flight with the Earth Citrine in his mittens, diving deep into the darkness of Ginnungagap. A glimmer of orange light shimmered at the bottom, letting Hakai and the other Smashers know where to go. As soon as the blue hedgehog and bomber climbed in, the Crazy Hand floated over the pit before descending.

Once Hakai got close to the ground, the fighters in the group that couldn't fly jumped off the Crazy Hand and landed safely in front of Meta Knight, who was patiently waiting for them at the bottom of the pit with the glowing Earth Citrine in his hands. The ground in the pit was of solid black terracotta, swirling into chaotic patterns dyed with charcoal. There surprisingly weren't any shadows when the small team of Smashers arrived, which was either from the Earth Citrine's light or some unknown magic in the place.

"So… I guess the light path ends here," Meta Knight responded. The fighters noticed that the track created by the gem seemed to disappear into the ground, just below the terracotta.

"I'll handle this," Hakai told everyone, still keeping his Crazy Hand form. "Everyone, stand back." The Smashers, including Meta Knight with the stone, went behind the Hand of Destruction, who floated over the point where the light path ended. Curling his fingers up into a fist, the Crazy Hand slammed into the terracotta, with bits and pieces of the ground flying everywhere. Once the terracotta rubble settled, the Smashers found some sort of jagged stairway descending deep into a cave underground, with the orange path of light flowing deeper underground. Hakai shook his fingers, transforming back into his draconic self.

"Alright, everyone," Hakai spoke to the fighters as he walked down the stairs. "Stay behind me and keep in each other's line of sight." Each of the Smashers followed the path, with Meta Knight walking behind the single-file line.

Both the violet-eyed dragon with a single wing and the small group of Smashers felt rather claustrophobic about the dark caverns at first, considering the walls seemed to press around them. Once they got to a place where their bodies could breathe in the relaxation of not being squished together, the light of the Earth Citrine's path seemed to help them see better. Clusters of jewels hung up on the ceiling, twinkling from the light of the bioluminescent mushrooms growing where the ground met the walls. The terracotta decorating the place seemed to have merged with gold, silver, platinum, and other valuable metals that were mixing in with the peculiar charcoal swirls.

As the Smashers looked around the place, there were multiple paths to go into, each with their own clusters of gems, but the path where the light of the Earth Citrine led the party was on the main one. However, as the fighters walked to their destination, some of the gems were alive as they detached themselves from the walls and began forming into a humanoid with limbs entirely made out of jewels from the clusters. The Smashers were too far away to hear the echoes of more jewels forming into humanoids though.

"Whelp, here we are, compadres," Meta Knight spoke, he and his companions gazing upon a double door carved entirely out of the purest platinum. Streaks of gold sealed it tightly shut, with a symbol like that of the Earth Citrine's imprinted on the seal. A large bull wearing armor and a nose ring was seen rampaging on the image depicted on the door, with a constellation of tiny white diamonds on its body and a circle with two pointy shapes curving up into horns on each side on its chestplate. On top of the bull image was a message written in the same language as the one broadcasted by the Earth Citrine, and Link took a picture of it with his Sheikah Slate and translated the message.

"The rarest sapphire that gleams of gold

Is locked away in the comfort of the cold

Only one who has tamed the bull

Can remove this bulky hull," Link read aloud.

"Uh, last we checked, sapphires don't gleam with gold," Sonic corrected.

"I swear this is the original translation," Link answered in slight frustration. "Besides, this doesn't look so hard to open. All it takes is a couple adjustments and…" The Champion of Hyrule activated the magnetism properties on his Sheikah Slate, aiming the two golden beams at the door. However, it wouldn't budge.

"Hm… one who has tamed the bull, huh?" Sonic asked. "Hakai, do you know what this means?"

"Last I remember of Lord Ceresor, our father, teaching us about the world of Arcus, he explained that there was an ancient race that existed before the dragons, using their own protections under the guidance of the stars. Perhaps the zodiac sign within the bull Taurus might give us an answer…" The puzzle-solving did not even take off before the jewel humanoids that followed them all this way landed in the center of the group, alerting the other fighters.

"Stand back!" Hakai warned, readying his combat position. "These are Corundumiuns, golems made out of gems through purely focused magic and always carrying out the last commandment their reanimaters gave them. Looks like this last command is killing any intruder that enters this place, including us." The violet-eyed general slashed his claws at one of the Corundumiuns and shattered it into multiple shards, roaring as he slammed his tail on the ground and erected a stone pillar in front of himself. The stone pillar slammed another Corundumiun into the roof, with multicolored gem shards raining down upon the fighters.

"I think we have to leave!" Mega Man called out, firing a charged shot at one of the gem golems. "We've got company!" Just like the blue bomber feared, more of the faceless golems emerged from the roof of the cave and surrounded the group. Hakai transformed into his Crazy Hand form, going on his reckless behavior as he liberated multiple Corundumiuns. The shaking of the ground beneath the Smashers was enough to knock them off their feet, and considering Hakai's chaotic powers that lacked any form of control that was saying a lot.

"Which way do we go?" Sonic asked, trying to keep his balance from the rumbling and lasers flying left and right. "We have to get through these guys in order to escape, and there could be more on the way!" Soon enough, some rocks were about to fall on the fighters, and both the blue rodent and Meta Knight grabbed the other three fighters and dragged them all into one of the passages away from the fight. As some of the Corundumiuns followed after them, surviving Hakai's attacks, Link pulled out a remote bomb and threw it at the golems, activating the initial blue explosion using his Sheikah Slate. Some of the terracotta fell off the walls, burying the Corundumiuns under pounds of rocks and blocking off the Smashers from the Crazy Hand.

"Well, I guess we follow where the Earth Citrine takes us," Meta Knight answered, having still kept around the Earth Citrine in his mittens. The Smashers, covered in dirt and dust, followed behind the masked swordsman down the labyrinth of multiple pathways.


Back at the ARMS League, the crowd was going wild, and the fighters that entered that world were shocked in Misango winning against Lola Pop.

"Told you the clown would lose," Dante bluffed, resting his feet on the metal fence. "What did I say?"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Ganondorf groaned. "But that loser alongside many others might be the fighter and we might have missed it. Your mission, alongside the rest of us, is to keep your eyes peeled. Do I have to repeat myself again?"

"Relax, grumpy," the Devil Hunter responded. "I heard you the first time."

"Aided by the spirits invested in him, Misango broke his opponent's funny bone and left her in the dust, earning him the winner of this round's final match!" Biff called out, with the audience cheering over the warrior trained in the ancient arts of his people. "Now we'll move on to the next round, so everyone stay seated! As for those who lost the previous rounds, don't fret! You can stick around and spectate the upcoming matches and watch as the remaining competitors push themselves up to the top ranks and beat Max Brass himself!"

The next few matches in the second round were relatively the same in terms of the fighting style, with the audience members needing no introduction on the fighters in the league. This time, there were three matches instead of six.

The first match was Spring Man against Ninjara on the staircase of Ninja College.

Spring Man won.

The second match involved Mechanica vs. Misango in her scrapyard.

The only fighter without the ARMS Gene won with her mech despite the warrior's attempts on connecting with his spirits.

Third round was between Twintelle and Helix on Buster Beach.

Helix, unsurprisingly, won against the actress. The audience was then bathed in the warping light and transported into the seats surrounding some sort of sparring ring.

"Well, it took a while, but we're just at the free-for-all stage in the semi-finals," Biff spoke out to the raving crowd in the league. "Now then… we have three contestants remaining in the Grand Prix: Spring Man, Mechanica, and Helix. In a free-for-all, it's you against many! Knock down your opponent and earn points in the progress, but be careful! They'll get back up. Whoever gets the most points by the end of the round after three minutes gets to advance to the Sky Arena and partake in the finals, so make those points count!" Spring Man, Mechanica, and Helix all looked at each other, determined to take on each other and get the gold.

"Wow…" Isabelle pointed out. "They sure are determined, aren't they?"

"Yep," Little Mac answered. "Perhaps by now, the Smash Ball hidden in one of these fighters might give us an answer on who it could be…"

"Ready… set…" Biff continued before he got an incoming notification. A wave of confusion sailed over a questioning audience over the sudden interruption, and even the Smashers themselves grew curious over the scenario.

"Apparently, a new challenger wants to join the fray, so… please welcome our sudden newest recruit before the start of the fight!" The three fighters in the ring looked over to the side to see a large cloud of mist seep out of the open double door, and the crowd went silent for the newcomer. Springtron emerged from the door while stepping into the ring, and only Dante seemed to know who the robot is due to the fact that he met him alongside Dr. Coyle.

"Oh! Um… It appears we have a new opponent, and one that looks like Spring Man," Biff introduced.

"PLEASE," Springtron spoke. "CALL ME SPRINGTRON." From what everyone could figure out, it seemed as though the robot took voice clips from Spring Man's audio logs and Frankensteined them into coherent speeches.

"Uh, yeah. Springtron…" The audience clapped not as a sign of cheering but as a sign of confusion and nervousness… nervousness that he might probably kill them. "Ladies and gentlemen… our newest contestant: Springtron!"

"THE MEAN MACHINE!" Springtron called out, pulling out his Toaster ARMS. The screen on top of the stadium arranged the pictures of the fighters broadcasted so that Springtron's face was placed in the free-for-all semi-final bracket.

"A-am I hallucinating?! Do we have an…intruder? I've never seen anything like this, folks! …I don't know about you, but I smell something fishy goin' on here. We gotta take this guy down! Anyways, ready… set… ARMS!" The horn blared, and the four competitors ran after each other on the ring with their extended ARMS. While Mechanica was busy attacking a bouncing Helix with her mech's ARMS, both Spring Man and Springtron set their eyes on each other, mimicking their movements that ranged from attempted grabs to simple punches. Whatever the four players attempted to use to attack one another, they were earning points as a result.

"That the best you got?" Spring Man asked his robotic copycat, dodging Mechanica's ARMS. "You're just a metal clone of me!" The Bouncer grabbed ahold of Springtron, throwing him straight at Helix. The "Man" of Mystery stretched out like a gelatin candy, quickly wrapping around the robot and slamming him into the ground. Spring Man winded up a flaming punch, hitting Helix off the bot.

"Oh, I am so much more," Springtron responded, taking hold of Mechanica herself and throwing her out of her mech, surprising the crowd greatly as he kicked over her deactivated mech. Helix slammed his ARMS into Spring Man, by which he quickly parried from the blob's attack. Before Helix could punch again after the parry, Springtron activated some sort of shockwave that seemed to mess up the reception in Spring Man's and Helix's ARMS.

"Woah, what's going on here!?" Dante asked. "I had no idea he could do that!"

"The ability to deactivate other ARMS when they extend?" Wii Fit Trainer questioned. "That sounds brand-new…" Around the time Springtron was attacking the other two competitors, Mechanica got back into her mech and piloted it into Springtron. Spring Man, upon seeing the scenario, quickly shook his own ARMS back to normal and punched Helix away.

As the timer went down, the free-for-all continued like normal, with the exception that the other three competitors had to counter Springtron's small shockwave. The horn blared, and the fight ended.

"The results are in!" Biff called out alongside the audience cheering. A tally board was put up, with the total scores built up next to the pictures of the four fighters. Ranking in last place was Springtron with 75k points, Helix at 536k, Mechanica at 2M, and Spring Man at 2.1M. "The winner is Spring Man, moving it up to the finals where he will meet the grand champ!"

"Woo! Alright, Spring Man! You go!" Little Mac cheered, with Dark Samus clapping her exoskeleton arm cannon.

"Heh. Looks like the kid's got some fight in him, huh?" Dante asked.

"Of course," Isabelle answered cheerfully. "After all, he is seen as the mascot of the ARMS League… I think…"

"And who knows? Maybe he might be the one we're looking for right now…" Ganondorf responded.


"Dammit, Springtron! You had one job!" Dr. Coyle's voice echoed throughout her lab.

"THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO," Springtron objected, trying to get his creator for mercy. "DESPITE MY EFFORTS, THERE WAS SO MUCH GOING ON IN THAT CHAOTIC FIGHT."

"Enough!" Dr. Coyle snapped, slamming her ARM into Springtron's face and denting it slightly through the sheer amount of force she put in. At this point, she didn't care what Dante thought about her, even if he wasn't literally in the same room as her. "You had to screw up your career for mine. I knew it was a mistake teaching you Helix's fighting skills. Even he wasn't a disappointment compared to you, you piece of junk. Now get outta my sight before I turn you into scrap metal." Frightened by the scientist, Springtron backed away. The frustrated Dr. Coyle walked over to another curtain near the walls of the room, pulling it off to expose the experiment hidden inside the glowing-green goo inside a glass tube.

"I have to do literally everything myself, don't I?" Dr. Coyle asked herself, aware that what she was cooking up was not ready for testing yet even after all these years of preparing it.


The Smashers within the interloping passageways inside the cave tried to find another way out, trying to follow the light path from the Earth Citrine in Meta Knight's grasp that led them back to the barricaded door. However, they knew Hakai was still being attacked by all these crystal golems, and any attempt to get back outside was fatally dangerous to a T.

"What do we do now?" Sonic asked his pals. "It's dangerous to go back there, let alone get ourselves killed. Link could've blunted his sword back there."

"Well, at least we know we can kill these… Corundumiuns," Link responded. "Hey, is it just me, or is the place getting darker?" As they continued farther away from their destination, they seemed to notice that the jewels on the terracotta were completely absent, with only the bioluminescent mushrooms scattered around. The Champion of Hyrule began to pick up strange signals from his Sheikah Slate, and he quickly pulled it out.

"Hey, everyone," Link told his pals. "Slow down and wait a second…" The Hylian looked around the empty room, seeing nothing but lumps scattered across the floor. There weren't any mushrooms growing around here, so it was pretty hard to see anything.

"No, no, no... ¡No me abandones!" Meta Knight begged, telling the stone to not quit on him. The Smashers suddenly recognized the Earth Citrine was losing power for an unexplained reason.

"I think it's losing its spiritual connection with the earth," Mega Man answered as best as he could.

"Spiritual connection with the earth?" Sonic asked in complete confusion. "We're literally surrounded by the earth in here!"

"No… not like that," Mega Man corrected before he came to a certain realization. "Hey, Sonic. Do you remember when you had the Rainbolements? Like Ultima? Sozo? Hakai?" The blue hedgehog simply stared at the robot with bewilderment dancing around in his head.

"Uh…?" was all Sonic could respond with before Mega Man snatched the stone from Meta Knight's hands and placed in the blue hedgehog's hands.

"C'mon, you gotta remember having powers before," Mega Man pleaded, hopeful that Sonic might come to the recollection of what happened during the battle against the Seraphim of Order and Chaos. "You had control over the earth and everything…"

"All I remember is having my trusty speed," Sonic answered, looking down upon the twinkling stone. "Whatever powers you claimed I have seemed to be gone from my memory. If any one of you guys could at least fill me in on some detail, surely I might recognize why I can't remember…" Link made solid eye contact on his friends, letting them know that he needed to tell the demented hedgehog something important.

"A while ago, you probably don't remember, but… you were experimented on by Dharkon," Link explained. "You were left to hang in chains, from what we've learned so far, and something happened to you because you had the powers of a Dragosmo. You had connection to all seven of these Rainbolements, and yet you were losing control over them once we got closer to the Seraph of Chaos. Something snapped inside you, like a wildfire made by a tiny spark sitting on a dry leaf. Last thing I… or any of us… remember is you saving most of us from Tabuu's Off-Waves and… everything was a blank from there. Last thing we remember: you were hooked up to a bed, your hands and scars missing, and literally anything about the precious knowledge you bookmarked for us: all gone. It could be why it might be too early for you to use such a… powerful stone to your ability."

"Oh… sorry, Sonic," Mega Man responded with a nervous laughter accompanying his apology. "I thought you were… y'know… ready to use this thing?" The blue speedster sighed, looking down at the glittering stone in his gloved hands.

"I don't know," Sonic suspired. "If what you say is true about what happened to me, then I don't know if I can handle being some sort of messiah. Somehow, I might have always been the test subject for situations like these, and I feel as though there could be more to us than meets the eye. Besides, Hakai might probably need our help back there and… if this stone runs out of light, we might be trapped in this cave forever…"

"Why don't we look around this area for a bit? See what we can find?" Link asked. "You can wait right here and try learning how to use those powers of yours… wherever they are in your head. Clementine?" The Inkling was on it to retrieve a few of the glowing mushrooms, and she picked up a small cluster and gave each individual stalk to the other fighters. As soon as each of the Smashers went off to different locations in the room, Sonic the Hedgehog sat on the floor, watching the light of the Earth Citrine dwindle.

"C'mon, stone," Sonic quietly and playfully chanted, rubbing his hands on the cut surface. "Make some light. Get us back home to our pals." The blue hedgehog cleared his head as best as he could, trying to stimulate his senses as he focused his thoughts entirely on the stone.

"C'mon, stone," Sonic continued, whispering as he continued talking. "Guide us back to the surface. We're kinda trapped… in the dark, so just please, please, please, please, please…" No matter the effort, Sonic groaned in frustration as he gently tossed the Earth Citrine to his side.

I can tell you are rather frustrated about your studies, Gaster spoke, appearing right in front of Sonic as the environment around Sonic seemed to slow down and darken around him. Your friends told you the truth. You are not going to learn everything in just one day.

"What do you want, W.D.?" Sonic asked, burying his face into his knees. "Can't you see I'm trying to figure out how to light this stone? They expect me to use my hidden powers to at least activate it, but… I can't do it."

...Perhaps the riddle you found on the door might give you the answer, both to your friends and to yourself, Gaster continued, looming over the blue hedgehog. Do you remember what it taught you?

"Yeah, I do," Sonic answered. "Only one who has tamed the bull can remove this bulky hull."

That is correct, Gaster continued, the strange symbols flowing behind himself. And do you also remember the day when I permanently stripped you of the memories of different worlds sans your own homeworld, including how you left it, as well as the knowledge of the powers not related to your extraordinary powers of superspeed?

"Yes and no," Sonic responded. "I mean, I get what I was going for, but… what does any of that have to do between you, me, and that gem lying on the ground?"

Come with me, Gaster said, holding out his boney, pierced hand to the blue hedgehog. There is something I must show you in this cavern. Sonic looked up at the man who speaks in hands, not willing to take no for an answer. He held tight to Gaster's hand as he pulled the blue hedgehog back onto his feet. Sonic followed the mysterious entity towards the strange lump hidden in the darkness, which the Inkling frozen in time shed some light upon with one of the glowing mushrooms. The man who spoke in hands wiped off the dust from the lump, and at that point Sonic figured out this "lump" was in fact some metallic artifact decorated with imagery of strange beings that looked completely different from their designs alone.

Sonic noticed that in one group of these strange creatures, everyone was designed with usually simplicity and seemed to harness wonder and imagination. In the other group, there seemed to be figures that had rounded curves and sharpened edges, which looked as though they were brought to life from a factory.

"What exactly is this?" Sonic asked. "I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed myself, y'know…"

You are aware of the dragons that existed before your time, right? Gaster asked. The blue hedgehog nodded in response. Well, there was an era before this planet had its name changed to Arcus, and that name was Terra. There was a unique race of inhabitants that thrived long before the dragons came into play, and this era was known as the World of Toys. Gaster moved his hands around, with Sonic staring in wonder at the images depicted on the metal springing to life by the Eye of God's mysterious magic.

"Oh, so something like the World of Trophies, right?" Sonic asked.

Shortly after the fall of humanity, the toys they created on the planet sprung to life, starting from the very planet which you and your friends are now standing in, Gaster explained, letting the visuals of the pictures tell the story. These toys divided themselves into two groups: those born in factories… and those born in the comforts of home. They were known as the Neomeats and Wïshas respectfully. Before their downfall, the two races never bothered to overlook the evidence of their upbringings and lived in perfect harmony. The blue hedgehog watched as the two races of toys worked together to rebuild landscapes, cities, and more after the fallout that brought forth the extinction of the human race throughout the universe.

However, the differences in their culture and beliefs seemed to divide them based on their heritage, Gaster continued. The Neomeats had more power and work control over the Wïshas, who in turn had more creative freedom. The Wïshas demonized the Neomeats for their upper hand of power in general, and the Neomeats saw the Wïshas as sticks in the mud that only seemed to play their victim cards. Eventually, war broke out between the two races once a child born between a divided world came into existence. Along with their original morals to preserve what humans once accomplished, the sentient toys vanished in the midst of a galactic war that expanded past the stars. From what the hedgehog saw in front of him, these glyphs of the different toys were attacking each other with weapons before they were eventually killed off from a cartoonish explosion. Soon enough, the imagery vanished, and the pictures imprinted on the steel reverted back to the way they once were.

"So... what does any of this have to do with anything?" Sonic asked.

Do you know why I am showing you all this? Gaster responded. That metal scrap was just one of the few remnants of the history of this world buried underground, preserved in the minds of its dynasty through memory alone. However, the two races had long forgotten their rich history, preferably… their connection with Zodiac Familiars. Gaster slowly wiped the thick layer of dust on a part of the metal scrap, and Sonic looked at what the glyphs told.

The picture had the toys worshipping the constellations in the night sky like gods, and the surrounding dust from the wipe faded away to reveal an entire celestial sphere filled with all the sets of stars in their current night sky. There was also a circle that seemed to have twelve constellations, one of which looked like the bull imprinted on the door from earlier.

According to the Wïshas and Neomeats, they had discovered the stars when mankind first learned how to think for themselves and invent tools, Gaster continued. Unlike the humans, they saw the constellations as living, sentient beings who alter the multiverse, for better or for worse, and from there they have learned of the existence of the Eyes of God, who were manifested from these constellations. The Eyes of God have only one real goal: to guide and protect who they see as worthy to accomplish their goals. Through a special kind of bargain, these individuals had permanently bound their souls to us until death, earning us the titles of Zodiac Familiars.

Zodiac Familiars would reconnect to the physical realm for moments in time, giving them access to abilities they never had before, the man who spoke in hands went on. In your case, it is an easier access to the knowledge you seek. That ability belongs to Taurus.

"The bull?" Sonic responded, with a look of realization on his face. "If you have given me easier access to knowledge, and this Taurus guy has the ability to do so, then that would make you…"

A physical manifestation of the ox himself and a pure master of knowledge, Gaster answered, bowing in front of the blue hedgehog. According to the toys that lived in this world, any constellation of the Zodiac Belt is one of the main twelve individuals who rule over the rest of their own kind. My constellation, Taurus, is one of the Zodiacs, and he stands as the king of the skies for he is the most powerful.

"If what you're saying is true, and I'm technically yours to serve until I die, and the riddle says only one who had tamed the bull can open the door, that means…" A sudden jolt of realization hit the blue hedgehog like a sledgehammer, and he knew exactly what to do.

"I know how to open the door! I know only I have to do it! But…" Sonic glanced back at the Earth Citrine lying on the ground, noticing that the light inside it was quickly fading.

"How am I gonna refuel that stone's batteries if I can't learn how to harness the spiritual connection with this… Earth Rainbolement?" Sonic asked nervously. "C'mon, W.D… You gotta help me out on this one…"

I could have offered to help you instantly regain your knowledge of the Rainbolements, but the price you paid was far too big for you to carry, Gaster answered. If the knowledge was delivered to me in small portions, then I might put that into consideration. However, given the events that had followed, you had spent a hard bargain to save the ones you cared for the most, and that would be enough for me.

"So… I can't be kicking ass like Ultima did during the final battle?" Sonic asked, starting to feel a little nervous about himself. "You do know she's dead, right? With us making the whole promise of looking after the planet?"

The way you learned those Rainbolements was not through experience, but more through experimentation, Gaster mentioned. Again, I promised you would find a way to re-educate yourself on these powers in the way that you desire, but not through the same method you received them beforehand. You are a brilliant young mind. You can figure something out.

"Wait, Gaster!" Sonic objected, about to jump after the man who speaks in hands. As soon as the blue hedgehog jumped into the black mist that was once Gaster, he quickly woke up with a short and quiet gasp. The other fighters were busy looking around the room with time itself back to normal, and the dust on the metal scrap was still untouched. Sonic the Hedgehog sighed in relief, knowing that same encounter with what he now considered a Zodiac Familiar spoke directly to him again.

The Inkling, as she wiped away the dust from the metal scrap, gurgled her language towards her friends. The other three fighters, having been clearly unsuccessful in their search for answers, managed to find what Clementine spotted.

"Woah… look at this!" Mega Man spoke, looking at the glyphs imprinted on the steel.

"It just keeps going…" Link pointed out, wiping off more of the dust with his elbow. "What do you suppose these pictures are trying to tell us?" Sonic knew they found the vague history of the two races of toys, and without thinking he answered:

"It tells of a time when toys ruled the planet before the dragons." The Smashers were surprised by how he figured it out so fast, and they all turned around and looked at the blue hedgehog.

"They were split into two groups: homemade toys and factory-manufactured ones," Sonic continued. "Loads of problems happened between the two races and they just… kinda vanished."

"…How have you acquired this knowledge?" Meta Knight asked, suspicious of the brainpower the blue hedgehog gained.

"I dunno," Sonic swiftly spoke. "Shot in the dark, I guess?" The other fighters exchanged glances at each other, aware that their anthropomorphic friend was a bit far from off the hook.

"Oh my God, we completely forgot!" Sonic ejaculated in sudden recollection. "We left Hakai back at that door with all those gem golems!" The blue devil quickly snatched the Earth Citrine from the ground, taking deep breaths as he focused his sight on the dwindling gemstone.

"Didn't you say you couldn't do it?" Mega Man asked.

"I did," Sonic responded. "I just need a little concentration to make this thing work and then we can get what we came for and leave this damn place." As the blue hedgehog deepened and quieted his breathing, he tried to establish a spiritual connection as best as he could. The stone's glow may had dwindled down into a non-existent speck, but its magic over the earth was still there, just buried deep within the structure that gave the Earth Citrine physical form.

And yet he couldn't sustain that connection… but that wouldn't stop him and his friends from trying to get back to Hakai.

"About that riddle on the door, I know exactly what to do," Sonic told his pals. "Hold onto me and make sure any item of significant importance is kept on you tightly." As the Smashers secured whatever weapons they had, they held each other's hands with Sonic in the front.

"We're heading back in," Sonic chuckled, tossing and catching the Earth Citrine as he ran straight ahead in a streak of light. As the blue hedgehog ran through the passageways, he could feel the faint rumbling of Hakai attacking more of the Corundumiuns.

"Everyone, prepare to let go," Sonic spoke, ready to curl himself up into a ball and strike back at the crystal soldiers. The Smashers weren't really prepared to get back on their feet as Sonic curled up into a spinning orb of lightning and struck down several of the Corundumiuns.

"Link! Meta Knight! Guys!" Hakai exclaimed, having suddenly snapped out of his rage to notice the fighters who had just slipped and fell thanks to Sonic's speed. "I thought you could've gotten lost!"

"Well, we're here to help now," Link answered, unsheathing his Master Sword. "We better stall these guys and make sure Sonic opens that door." The one-winged dragon looked back at the blue hedgehog, who was attacking a bunch of the gem warriors with spindashes as he fought his way to the door.

"Keep 'em occupied!" Sonic called out to his pals. The jewel warriors focused their attention towards the one-winged dragon, the Champion of Hyrule, the masked swordsman, the Inkling, and Rockman rather than paying attention to the lone individual that was trying to figure out how to open the door. This clearly came to show that even if these Corundumiuns were strong in physical strength, they completely lacked brains. The fighters and Hakai charged at each other, distracting the golems with jewels for every limb through fighting while the blue hedgehog tried to concentrate on establishing a spiritual connection with the Earth Citrine again.

"C'mon, jewel," Sonic quietly demanded. "Give me signs. Glow, glow, glow. Give me powers." A gem that served as a limb flew over his head, ramming into the metal of the door. It created a ring loud enough to sting his ears, and he backed away from the door for a bit.

"Hurry up!" Mega Man called out, blowing the head of one of the Corundumiuns off with a charged shot. "They're not gonna be distracted for long!"

"I'm trying my best, Mega Man!" Sonic called out, focusing his attention to the Earth Citrine he was holding. "C'mon… C'mon…!" The blue hedgehog then gasped as though his breath was taken away, feeling an energy spike suddenly burst through his fingertips. The Corundumiuns were deactivated and fell to the ground in clusters of jewels, and the Smashers watched as the constellation on the door glowed. The scars of Galeem and Dharkon appeared on the blue hedgehog's face, but the fighters and Hakai didn't see them since Sonic had his back facing them from their perspective. Without knowing he even had the scars and colored eyes, which were both orange in color, Sonic placed his left hand on the bull marking's head. The image of the bull split apart into multiple limbs, unlocking the door and opening by itself. As the door opened, a mist that was colder than what the Ice Climbers could conjure flowed out like a chilly night wind.

As soon as the door was fully opened, Sonic's scars vanished alongside the artificial colors of orange. The blue hedgehog looked back at his friends, who were all shivering except for Mega Man and the violet-eyed general. Sonic walked in with the glowing Earth Citrine in his hands, determined to see what was in the chilly room.

Hakai waited outside while Link, Mega Man, Meta Knight, and Inkling followed behind, seeing nothing but ice concealed by darkness. At the end of the room, the fighters had discovered the object the Earth Citrine's light path was leading them too: a figure sealed in a crystal pillar of gems with a thin layer of ice. The figure seemed to be feminine, with dark magenta hair covering her face and a body that seemed to have plastic limbs stitched together at where the limbs met, and her clothing was a white shirt with baggy, dark pink pants with blue slippers.

"A girl?" Link asked, scanning the figure frozen in those cold gems with his Sheikah Slate for any vital signs. "That was the figure we've been searching for this whole time?"

"Doesn't look like any girl," Mega Man responded, approaching the girl sealed within. "Maybe whatever past she has of herself, she can tell us… one way or another."

"Yeah, but first we're gonna have to break her out," Sonic the Hedgehog pointed out, wiping the fog on the jewel to get a clearer vision of the adolescent-looking figure.

"Looks like her vital signs are completely healthy," Link answered, reading through what he scanned. "Hakai! Can you come over here and help us out, please?"


Fireworks exploded in the air, overshadowing the deep orange sun behind a city of skyscrapers. The Smashers and the Devil Hunter stayed within the applauding crowd as they watched Spring Man make his way over to the ring in the Sky Arena.

"Well, it has been a long road, but out lucky contestant was brave enough to climb all the way to the top ranks!" Biff spoke out on the monitor. "Most of the challengers we had so far didn't even make it up to this point. Now then… it's time for the moment you've been waiting for!"

"Come on, Spring Man!" Wii Fit Trainer cheered from the sidelines.

"You can do it!" Isabelle yipped. "You've made it this far!" The crowd's cheering grew louder as the center of the stage opened, with the silhouette of a large, beefy man with a muscular build slowly emerging from the stage. Fireworks of gold began exploding behind him, revealing the champion of the entire ARMS League HQ as his theme played through the surround-sound speakers on top of the tower.

"Here he is… the grand champion for 30 consecutive years in a row, give it up for the one… the only… Commish himself - Max Brass!" The crowd roared for the champion of the tournament after Biff introduced him, who raised up his Roaster ARMS.

"Thank you, one and all," Max Brass chuckled. "It feels so great finally meeting your faces here, and I see we have some new spectators sticking around for the ultimate showdown. They call you Spring Man, correct?"

"Yes, sir!" Spring Man answered, his heart quivering a bit from meeting the Commish face-to-face. "Looks like I'm ready to take that prize from your hands now…"

"Oh, no problem at all!" Max Brass responded. "But first, you'll have to earn it, and folks like you have never pried it from my hands before. So good luck!" Max Brass readied his position at the edge of the ring, waiting for Spring Man to get in place.

As Dante was ready to watch the showdown begin, he began to sense something off… like there seemed to be something out of place. The Devil Hunter's heightened senses began to kick in once his suspicions were confirmed. Out of nowhere, an invisible figure appeared beside Max Brass and punched him out of the ring.

The audience gasped and went silent as Max Brass got back up on his feet, yelling and dashing at the levitating figure who interrupted the fight. She threw out her Hedlok ARMS at the Commish, hitting him in the face before kicking him high into the air. Before Max Brass could grab her, the levitating fighter teleported behind him, punching him off the Sky Arena and sending him plummeting down to the rooftop of a nearby skyscraper.

"Oh no… it's Dr. Coyle…" Dante sighed in annoyance. The other fighters looked at the Devil Hunter in complete and utter bewilderment, as if he knew what they didn't.

"You know this chick?" Ganondorf asked.

"What are you talking about?" Little Mac questioned.

"Okay, I may have lied about wanting to use the bathroom," Dante answered. "I kinda met this woman in a secret lab of hers. Says she's crazy and wants to take back what's hers through obsession over research…"

"The Commish was knocked out cold! Who would…? Wait a minute! I'd know that face anywhere. It's "the rad scientist," Dr. Coyle!" Biff exclaimed in fright. "The head of ARMS Labs and their top researcher, she's also a sponsor of this very tournament!" Dr. Coyle laughed maniacally, glaring at the terrified audience with a cold-hearted stare of obsession.

"That's right!" Dr. Coyle shouted. "You all remember my name, don't you? The youngest scientist in ARMS Laboratories? The one who created your favorite fighters Helix and Springtron, both of whom have disappointed me? The one who's going to make Max Brass take back all he said to me!? All these experiments on ARMS have led up to this moment, where I can finally bestow the title of champion upon myself. And if that doesn't stop me…" Dr. Coyle raised her left ARM up high, calling down some sort of machine from the sky. It appeared to be some sort of metallic orb mixed with a skull, with red swirling eyes that burned with a fiery rage as it slammed itself around Dr. Coyle's head. As soon as the machine activated, Dr. Coyle ascended into the air, with four additional ARMS emerging from the thing attached to her head like a face mask. Those ARMS were complete duplicates of the ones the Rad Scientist used, which were equipped with the Hedlok ARMS she carried.

"…nothing will, and with Hedlok by my side… I will show no mercy," Dr. Coyle finished.

"Oh, this is gonna be good…" Ganondorf chuckled, eager to see the showdown between Dr. Coyle and her Hedlok against Spring Man. The bell rang, and this time there was no timer. Spring Man lashed out his Toaster ARMS at the flying scientist, trying his best to avoid six ARMS at a time. No matter how much the Bouncer hit the machine, there was no effect. No dent, no nothing. Dr. Coyle giggled quietly within her Hedlok as he overridden her mind, letting her creation take control of the fight.

"Oh my… she really is determined, isn't she?" the Wii Fit Trainer pointed out as the controlled Dr. Coyle began hitting Spring Man's chest with all six ARMS. "As far as we know, she might be the Smasher we're looking for."

"Her?" Isabelle asked, yelping as the Bouncer was thrown around like a ragdoll thanks to Dr. Coyle and her Hedlok. "She's too crazy for us to let her on our team!" Dark Samus and Ganondorf looked at the assistant mayor in confusion, aware that they were, in the context of their universes, psychopathic antagonists.

"Uh… guys?" Dante asked, paying more attention to a burning white comet in the sky than to the fact that Spring Man was pummeled to the ground. "Don't wanna rain more cats and dogs on your pretty crappy parade, but have you looked up at the sky?" As Dr. Coyle laughed in victory over a broken and bruised Spring Man with the crowd cheering her name for whatever reason, the Smashers listened to the Devil Hunter and looked up at the sky to see the comet heading in their direction at an incredibly fast rate.

"Oh my God, you're right," Little Mac responded. "And it looks like it's coming towards us… wait…"

"Everybody, take cover!" Wii Fit Trainer yelled out to the whole audience. They managed to hear what she said, and most were panicking when they saw the bright orb of light heading straight for them. As soon as Dr. Coyle turned around, she ascended into the air and sent out her six ARMS to knock the comet onto the Sky Arena. From what the Smashers and Dante recognized, this comet was abnormally small to be considered "dangerous" to harm the entire ARMS League and ruin the Grand Prix… unless…

"There's not gonna be anything landing on my stage, especially with a new invention I can finally consider worthy!" Dr. Coyle exclaimed, her voice robotized as it was interpreted through the machine.

"Oh, not even your 'invention' can save you now," a familiar voice called out to her, followed by a devastating laser blasting in her direction. Dr. Coyle flew out of the way, sending out the four ARMS on Hedlok at the mysterious intruder. The figure grabbed ahold of the ARMS, ripping them off until only the broken circuits remained. He then swung the torn-off ARMS at the Rad Scientist, shattering her greatest creation into rubble and knocking down Dr. Coyle through sheer force alone.

"Oh no…" Dante groaned in annoyance, suddenly finding out the figure who arrived in the comet and who also attacked Dr. Coyle was none other than Marx himself. "What is this? Some sort of inception?"

"Suppose," Isabelle answered. "Then again, I remember when I met this guy alongside my friends…"

"Alright, people!" Marx snapped at a petrified audience. "Looks like this match of yours ain't gonna go on anytime soon. I'm looking for a man named Dante: white hair, a red coat, an attitude that pisses me off… he's got something I really desire. Where is he!?"

"Get off the stage!" one man booed, throwing an empty can at Marx. As the crowd jeered at the winged jester, Dante sighed in annoyance as he gently planted his hand on his forehead.

"Let me guess: someone you've met before?" Ganondorf asked as he noticed the Devil Hunter's expression.

"To be fair, he's not as obnoxious as Arkham was, but still: he would get on my nerves if he wasn't careful…" Dante responded. "Looks like he wants something I have… don't know if I'm willing to take the risk..."

"Shut up!" Marx snarled, firing a powerful laser at the crowd. Many were knocked back, and few were severely injured. "I'm not here to play fair! So don't act all defensive for someone you haven't met, especially for the folks you call competitors! If you want to have your precious league back, then give me the Devil Hunter! Or else…" Marx ascended into the air, swooping down and picking up a few members of the crowd through telekinesis.

"…I'll rip everyone's heads off like gummy candies!" Marx snarled, his talons glowing as he pulled on the necks of the audience members.

"Okay, okay," Dante called out, alerting Marx at gunpoint with Ebony and Ivory. "You win, Karl. Drop the humans and let's get this over with."

"Took long enough for you to show up," Marx replied, noticing the Devil Hunter and his new friends. The winged jester cancelled his telekinesis powers, dropping the audience members he dragged out of their seats. And just like that, the Devil Hunter put away his guns back in his jacket.

"Alright. Whatever you say, cutie-pie," Dante responded. He turned towards the other fighters, never really having lost his confidence that these strangers he was getting close with will always look after each other. Dante climbed over the fence, jumping down into the Sky League and approached Marx.

"I am not a cutie-pie!" Marx snarled, getting more irritated from Dante than ever before.

"Sure you are," Dante chuckled, placing his hand on the handle of his blade. "Why don't you go marry Stalin, while you're at it? I'm sure the two of you would get along just fine…" Marx growled at that devil-may-care attitude from the Son of Sparda, still irritated by how his opponent acted by mockery through reference just through name alone even if he didn't get the references.

"Very well," Marx growled, spreading open his wings. "I'll be prying that prize of mine from your cold, dead hands! And stop taunting me with communism jokes!"

"Then you clearly haven't picked up a history book, huh?" Dante responded, pulling out the Rebellion. "I guess I have no choice but to teach you, don't I?"

"B̴̹̻͎͂r̴̗̽͐i̸̡̤̞͛ṋ̷̤͠͝g̶͙͎̎ ̶͈͋i̸̗̯͐̐̒ț̶́̑͑ ̵̖̊́̑ö̵̢̗̺́̉̾ṉ̵̉ ̶͓̲̈́͘t̸̺̣͇̉h̶̹̍ê̸̯̰n̷̟̓́!̵̛̤͝" Marx snarled in a demonic voice before reverting back to his "normal" tone. "I've been waiting to do this all day!" Marx swooped down from the air, with Dante jumping over his body and slashing with his blade from behind the jester. Marx teleported out of the way, firing a laser behind the Devil Hunter and hitting the edge of the stage once Dante jumped out of the way.

"You can do it, Dante!" Isabelle shouted, she and the other fighters surprised by the Son of Sparda's demonic abilities that rivaled Marx's.

"Yeah! That Marx guy has got nothing on you!" the Wii Fit Trainer cheered. The encouraging of the Smashers slowly caught the attention of the audience and even some of the ARMS competitors, who were either slowly recovering from unconsciousness (with Max Brass bewildered by the fight going on over there from a distance). Soon enough, some upbeat music began playing on the speakers as a way to encourage Dante in his fight against the alien creature that arrived out of nowhere.

"Ah yeah," Dante chuckled, sitting on Marx's head. "This party's getting crazy." The jester split himself in half as a means to suck in the Devil Hunter, but he quickly jumped off Marx and pulled out his guns, shooting with a rapid auto fire at the teleporting jester.

"Keep calm, folks!" Biff spoke with confusion on the holographic screen. "Even I have no idea what's going on, but this looks like a battle surely no one will ever forget. We have contacted the authorities, so don't panic and evacuate in a single-file line towards the exits we have established."

"Let's go," Little Mac spoke, grabbing Isabelle by the waist and getting up from his seat.

"But… what about the fighter we're supposed to look out for?" Ganondorf asked.

"We have time to check back here once we get everyone to safety," Little Mac responded. "As far as we know, it might even be Dante as the Smasher we're looking for."

"Well, I'm not one to stray from the mission," Ganondorf responded. "I'm heading onto the stage and swatting that clown like a bug. You're coming with me, Dark Samus." The two reformed villain characters jumped over the sides, landing onto the Sky Arena and avoiding the exploding beach balls and thorny vines as they ran over to Dante. The Wii Fit Trainer got up from her seat, helping lead a few children towards the exit alongside Little Mac and Isabelle.

"So glad you could make it over here," Dante spoke, shooting Marx in the eyeball with Ebony and knocking it clean from his socket. "Been wondering when bad guys like you could chill in hell for a while." The jester clawed the Devil Hunter's face, slashing through Dante's eyeballs and knocking him down. As Dante got back onto his feet, he wiped his eyes, which reverted back to good as new.

"Healing properties?" Ganondorf asked. "What kind of bloodline are you from?"

"A very weird one," Dante responded. "But at least it's not as weird as having a name like Marx."

"Shut up!" Marx roared, transforming into a blinking pile of eyeballs and shooting lasers in multiple directions like a disco ball. As Ganondorf began deflecting the beams with his own sword, Dante pulled out his sword and awakened into his Devil Trigger. The Devil Hunter transformed into some sort of unnatural bipedal creature. Dante, having just activated his demonic side, also had access to the power of flight, and he soared into the air and knocked Marx back onto the ground, creating an explosion of eyeballs. Dark Samus lashed her plasma grapple at the jester, but the winged demon bit on the blue ectoplasmic Phazon and dragged her towards him before slamming her into the ground.


Inside the building itself, crowds of people were pushing their way out of the ARMS League, trying to escape from the chaos going on at the top of the place. As Little Mac, Isabelle, and Wii Fit Trainer tried swimming towards the empty benches, the yoga warrior had just managed to spot Ribbon Girl make her way back.

"Where are you going?" Little Mac asked as loud as he could.

"I'm going back to the Sky Arena!" Ribbon Girl answered, pirouetting her way on top of the heads of the audience. "Being a champion is what I came for, and I'm not going to run from danger!"

"I agree with Ribbon-chan," Ninjara called out from the crowd, grabbing ahold of Kid Cobra's ARMS and using his weight to jump out and pull the snakeboarder streamer out with him. "We're not going to leave another fight without Max Brass himself." The sound of inflating could be heard from the sea of crowds, and jumping on the inflated body of Lola Pop was Misango. The candy-based clown deflated herself like a balloon, flying straight out of the crowd and landing in Master Mummy's strong arms before inflating herself back to normal.

"Springtron? You too?" Wii Fit Trainer asked, watching Springtron dash through the crowd and knocking a few people over with Helix on his back. Mechanica pushed her way through the crowd to head back to the Sky Arena and get her mech back, which was waiting for her at the gym. Byte swept her off her feet while he was riding Barq, and Twintelle used her hair to carry Min Min by the waist. All of the fighters that participated in the Grand Prix on way or another entered through the gym, not wasting any time to rescue Max Brass, Spring Man, and even Dr. Coyle from the chaos going on at the top of the Sky Arena.

"They really are all determined," Isabelle whispered in wonder, the bells in her bun jingling as she ran towards the Sky Arena with Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer following behind her.


Up in the Sky Arena, Dante was busy attacking Marx with the Rebellion while in his Devil Trigger form. As Ganondorf and Dark Samus helped drag the weakened bodies of Spring Man and Dr. Coyle, they noticed Max Brass sailing down to the ring in the air on his Parasol ARMS, acting confident and heroic as though nothing happened.

"Hello down there!" Max Brass called out to the battle going on and interrupting the fight. "What did I miss? Did I miss something good?" Marx, having just noticed the Commish had spoiled the mood, fired a laser from his mouth and scorched the Parasol ARMS. Max Brass then fell down, but he thankfully landed in the middle of the Sky Arena or he would have been as good as dead.

"You keep watch on the kid and the scientist," Ganondorf told Dark Samus, taking a look at a Devil Trigger-powered Dante attacking the psychopathic jester. "I'm getting Max Brass." Ganondorf ran towards Marx, pulling out his sword and ramming the alien into the ground with the blade. As Dark Samus helped a groaning Dr. Coyle get back up on her feet, the scientist pushed the Phazon warrior away as she got up herself.

"That little brat… pushing me away as I was just about to claim the title of champion?" Dr. Coyle growled, brushing the pieces of what was once Hedlok off her shoulders. "I'll show him…"

"Wait… Dr. Coyle…" Spring Man groaned, his ARMS trembling as he pushed himself up. "You don't understand. I don't think these guys are from our world, so we can't really stand up against them without getting killed ourselves."

"I guess you're right," Dr. Coyle responded. "I may be a mad genius, but I'm not THAT psychopathic. I just wanted to stick it up to Max Brass after he told me my research… was just a waste of his time. But I'm not here to dump exposition on your fight. That winged demon thing entered the ring, and we're gonna knock him out of it, but not even my intelligence and strength can confront him… at least not without help…" The exit doors were broken down by Mechanica's machine, and she powered up her jets to hover down to the stage. Following behind her were Ninjara, Min Min, Ribbon Girl, Master Mummy, Kid Cobra, Springtron, Helix, Kid Cobra, Byte and Barq, Misango, and Lola Pop, all landing beside Dr. Coyle and Spring Man as they jumped down. Ganondorf arrived in time as well, dragging Max Brass's numb body over to the other competitors. As Max Brass slowly opened his white eyes, he looked up to see Dr. Coyle staring down from above him.

"Oh! Dr. Coyle… my old friend," Max Brass laughed nervously, quickly standing back up as a beach ball exploded beside him. "How goes the research…?"

"Don't talk to me about it," Dr. Coyle responded, not wanting to hear anything other than an apology by which she knows she'll never hear. "Right now, we need to get that clown behind bars."

"Um… what did I do?" Lola Pop asked in a saddened tone.

"Not you," Dr. Coyle sighed. "Him!" The scientist pointed her ARM at Marx, who tore off his own arms and grew flaming branches of veins all over the stage before grabbing ahold of the Devil Triggered-Dante and slamming him into the ground. The small jester managed to kick Dante back to his normal self, deactivating the reawakened powers he obtained.

"I know your type, Dante," Marx snarled, pressing down hard on the Devil Hunter's chest with his boot as Dante lied on his back. "You can read minds, and you know what I'm after. Well tell me this now: where is the Earth Citrine!?"

"You really want it back to accomplish your evil goals, huh?" Dante chuckled, resting on his elbows. "Well, I've got this to tell you: you're outta luck. And I thought I was the only bad gambler around here…"

"L̶͙̐i̸̹̋e̶̹̾s̵̡͐!̵͙̕" Marx shrieked, his pupils dilating as a sign that his sanity was slipping. "You have the stone! I know it! Don't play dumb with me!"

"Oh, I'm not playing dumb," Dante quick-wittedly answered. "Even if I had no idea you would follow me all the way across the multiverse, I knew that idiots like you would be dumb enough to attack me only to find out I'm broke. So I left it behind at one of the most well-defended planets out there. And I'll say it again: you're outta luck." Marx, upon hearing what the Devil Hunter said, looked around himself to see Max Brass, Dr. Coyle, and the rest of the fighters within the ARMS League surrounding him.

"Get him," Max Brass spoke to the competitors. Once everyone stretched out their ARMS to attack the jester, Dante ripped Marx off his chest and rolled behind the fighters, watching the fight begin with Ganondorf and Dark Samus. The ARMS League cast was attacked by thorny vines, icy balls, and crescent-shaped blades, but each one of these champs used their abilities to knock out Marx.

Spring Man and Springtron both began deflecting the projectiles at Marx, with Springtron unleashing a shockwave that knocked Marx back into Master Mummy's punch. The jester tried splitting himself into a black hole, but Mechanica and Dr. Coyle ascended into the air and slammed Marx's halves back together with great force. Byte jumped off Barq's head, dunking a wounded cosmic jester towards the ground. Once Marx soared into the air again, he was about to fire a powerful laser before he was interrupted by a gunshot at his hat.

Marx hissed at the sight of Dante, who had just shot his two-tone hat off with his Ebony gun. This lowered the jester's guard down to the point where Max Brass grabbed him from down below, slamming Marx into the stage again and again. As soon as every one of the competitors got at least one hit on Marx, the jester's battered body rolled towards his hat like a bruised grape. Marx slowly opened his eyes, slipping that hat of his back onto his head. The moment Marx was defeated, a small swarm of helicopters flew overhead, surrounding the roof of the tower.

"Well, we better get out of here," Dante sighed in his usual devil-may-care attitude, getting up from his seat made from the rubble. "Anybody wanna call it a day?" As the Devil Hunter walked away with Dark Samus and Ganondorf, he could hear the demonic screeching of Marx as he tried to fly away from the ARM-less police force that pinned him to the ground.

"This the thing bugging your Grand Prix?" one of the officers asked, holding down the winged alien jester with his regular human arms.

"Actually, now that you mention it, it was-" Max Brass was about to answer before he was cut off by Dr. Coyle.

"Yes, that thing you're pinning down is the one that bothered us at the finals," the scientist answered before turning towards the commish and whispering, "At least be glad I'm doing you a solid favor by saving your career again."

"Suspect confirmed," the same officer told some of the men. "Taze him." One of the officers walked over to Marx, who bit him hard on the arm. In panic and pain, the officer pulled out a taser and electrocuted the psychotic jester. Once Marx was immobilized to the point where he could only talk and look, another officer pulled out a cage designed to keep dogs locked in and threw in Marx.

"Mark my words, Dante!" Marx called out to the Devil Hunter as the cage he was trapped in was carried up a rope ladder towards one of the helicopters. "When I escape from the facility these guys are taking me to, you're gonna wish you've never been born! Do you hear!?"

"I'm sorry. What was that?" Dante asked, pretending to be deaf to Marx's threatening message even though it was obvious that he could hear the adorable demon speak out to him. "You're gonna have to speak up."

"You'll all pay for you sins!" Marx yelled as he was still being carried up the ladder.

"What?" Dante called out, simply messing with the easily-irritated jester.

"You'll all pay for your-!"

"What?"

"You'll all pay f-"

"What?"

"You'll! All! Pay for yo-"

"Whaaaaaaaat?" At this point, the helicopter carrying Marx was gone, with Marx shouting insults too far away for Dante to even hear, or mostly care to notice. At this point, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, and Isabelle ran out to the seats to meet up with the rest of their companions, who had just jumped onto the floor where they would soon be reunited.

"What just happened over there?" Wii Fit Trainer exclaimed in worry.

"Let's just say the authorities came in and arrested your little clown friend," Dante responded, looking back at some of the officers cleaning up the rubble and asking questions about their current health that had affected both themselves and the audience. "I'm not sure they would be putting such a dangerous creature behind bars though. Should've killed him where he stood…"

"Oh relax," Isabelle spoke. "It's not like he would have any major consequences to our worlds at some point. Though I kinda wonder: what exactly was he doing here…?"


Over at some sort of mental asylum, Marx was gnawing at the bars of his cage as he was carried around on a moving carrier with handles that reached up to the ARM-less doctor pushing it. The jester looked around and saw multiple creatures locked away in containment facilities marked with numbers, each of these creatures with a different pitch of growling and screeching.

The doctor stopped in front of an empty containment unit, swiping the card on the door lock until the red light turned green and granted access. The door to the facility opened, and he took Marx's cage and quickly dragged the jester out. As soon as the winged demon was out, he was still weakened by the constant beatings, making it much easier for the doctor to lock the door to the containment unit.

"Didn't go as planned, did it?" a familiar voice asked, surprising Marx greatly.

"Mephiles!" Marx stammered before regaining his hot-tempered behavior with a touch of sarcasm. "I almost had it, I swear! My dreams, no… our dreams were just out of reach! Oh, and what was it that you said? 'Your goal is to eradicate every single one of these champions and regain the Earth Citrine.'"

"Hm… that does seem like a predicament," Mephiles responded. "Figured this would be your fate."

"Well guess what, hot shot!? Your order didn't work!" Marx continued in his angered state. "If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have to confront that Dante guy, overexhaust my powers to the point where I let myself get taken down by the guys you told me to kill, and I wouldn't be in this mess!"

"Ah, see?" There's your problem," Mephiles pointed out. "You have become so fixated on using your powers that you forgot to use everything else. Sooner or later, you will have to learn how to use than just your emotion of malice."

"Wait… how did you know I was gonna fail like that?" Marx asked, his talons tapping gently on the soft floor.

"It's all about the three core elements of determination I have already learned to master," Mephiles said, stretching out his crystalline hand while his Insaniton perched over his head. "I will explain what it is once I take you to our hiding spot on another planet." Marx grabbed ahold of Mephiles's hand, a sharp-toothed smile stretching across his face as he and his master were teleported out of the containment unit before the infrared cameras hidden in the walls could detect anything.


"So, according to what the cops told us, they said people like you shouldn't be around this place any longer," Max Brass explained to the Smashers and the Devil Hunter at the entrance of the ARMS League. "So much damage has already been dealt to our establishment that they decided to cancel the Grand Prix this year."

"Hey, at least you understand now that fame isn't always good, right?" Dr. Coyle asked, hoping that her old friend would apologize.

"Eh… I still think the way you approach this research on ARMS is rubbish," Max Brass boastfully scoffed.

"You take that back…" Dr. Coyle growled, trying to restrain herself.

"It'll be a while before Max Brass's and Dr. Coyle's relationship sweetens again," Lola Pop joked as she spoke to the fighters from other worlds. "All candy puns aside, are you sure you have to leave?"

"We're afraid so," Ganondorf responded. "We've apparently been through so much here without figuring out which one of you guys could be the fighter we're looking for. But… at least we all know what you're like. How you're all so… determined. And hey: I think you might find more entertainment for the people through tournaments of your own." Spring Man walked over to Isabelle, Little Mac, and Dark Samus, hugging them with the notion that he might not see these people again.

"Don't worry," Little Mac told Spring Man. "We'll come back and visit you again. If you wanna head on over to our place… here's a way to do so." The small boxer opened up Spring Man's hand, placing one of the large, white pellets in his palm.

"Just give it a quick squeeze and you're in Arcus… I think," Isabelle replied, pulling out her own pellet and jumping out of the hug.

"Ready, Dante?" the Wii Fit Trainer asked, tossing the Devil Hunter a spare pellet. "We'll be heading back now, so say goodbye to the crew here." Dante walked up to the different competitors and veterans, unaware of which one he should say goodbye too.

"Um… Dante, I was wondering if you can forgive me for what I said about you," Dr. Coyle spoke, unable to express her true emotions.

"Forgive you for what? For asking me to help you in your crazy research? It's fine. No hard feelings," Dante responded, much to her surprise.

"You mean you're… not mad?" Dr. Coyle questioned. "After everything I tried to claim first prize for myself?"

"Yeah, sure. Whatever," Dante answered, walking away from the fighters from this world. "Are you at least gonna give me your number?"

"In your dreams," Dr. Coyle replied.

"Dammit. Oh well…" Dante squeezed his pellet and vanished in a white light. Shortly after, Little Mac, Isabelle, Dark Samus, Ganondorf, and Wii Fit Trainer all warped away from the planet, leaving the door open to a better and brighter future for those who participated in the ARMS League.


The Devil Hunter and the five Smashers reappeared back at the transporter, with the Ice Climbers heading on over to meet them.

"Hey, guys!" Popo greeted.

"Did you find the newcomer?" Nana asked.

"We couldn't," Ganondorf answered, disappointing the Ice Climbers with complete shock. "Sorry, kids. In the end… it was hard for us to decide."

"At least we have someone to hang out with us for a while like with Steve currently, right Dante?" Little Mac said, with Popo and Nana focusing their attention on the Devil Hunter.

"Pretty much," Dante replied, resting his arms behind his head. "Since nothing exciting really happens on my corner of this… omniverse we're living in right now, I might stick around. Wait for a day until I can go around killing the most terrifying, gruesome, bat-shit awful demons imaginable. But until then, I can hang out and see what all the hubbub of this world is about…"


Banjo & Kazooie poked their heads through a door, watching Mewtwo gently ease the blocky Steve as he telekinetically moved the sheets over the Player's shoulders. Assured that Steve wouldn't be bothered for a while, the Pokémon floated towards the open door and squeezed his way out. He made focused eye contact on Banjo & Kazooie, ready to tell the animal duo the scoop.

"Your friend is going to be fine," Mewtwo telepathized. "It was a long and painful procedure, but I had managed to calm him down by removing his memory of the traumatic experience. He should stay in this room for at least three days, and no one may enter unless absolutely necessary."

"…If it really was THAT painful, then what we're dealing with is an enemy unlike any other," Banjo whispered. "I told my pals about how Sonic is the culprit behind what is happening around us right now… what is happening far from our reach…"

"You cannot blame the blue hedgehog on everything," Mewtwo telepathized. "We might not even know if he's the culprit for our problems or not. He can't always have the spotlight because of what we take for granted."

"Maybe you're right," Kazooie cooed quietly. "Maybe we misheard the part of the Lord of Games telling us to seek out a hedgehog. Maybe the enemy we could be facing… is the one lurking in our midst, planning some sign of vengeance. Maybe… an enemy that has mastered cognition."

Chapter 95: The Doom Slayer

Summary:

After an accidental teleportation into a strange new world, Isabelle must confront against a worldwide conquest of Earth alongside the only demon hunter they speak of in legends.

Chapter Text

Against all the evil that Hell can conjure,

all the wickedness that mankind can produce,

we will send unto them… only you.

Rip and tear, until it is done.

Heavy breathing echoed across a darkened room, filling it with the aroma of sweat. Holographic computers around the station began playing different forms of media, ranging from news reports to phone recordings. Firing guns and screeching monsters could be heard across the room, alongside the madness of falling towers and cracking ground.

"We can't run!" a man called out.

"There's too many of them!" a woman screamed just seconds before her death recorded on her smartphone.

"Reporting to you live from the ARC, this is Jennea Dench of WNBC standing live before what remains of the Union Aerospace Corporation Headquarters after they fell corrupt to the demons that are plaguing our society as we speak," a spokeswoman announced, standing outside in a violent thunderstorm. "In the span of just eight months, around 60% of the world's population has been eradicated by the ongoing forces of Hell itself. Now only 130 million people remain after the UAC surrendered their free will to these monsters."

"Despite humanity's best efforts, it seems as though our way of life will collapse unless we evacuate the planet," another spokeswoman pointed out, playing over the previous news broadcast. "We're clearly no match for the Hell Priests that sent them here, under their corrupted guidance of the Khan Maykr… Slayer, if you're out there, just know we are praying for you to deliver us from this apocalypse. We are praying for you to return as our Second Messiah. Drive these demons back to the hole from whence they came!" The transmissions of the broadcasts and recordings ended, with the glass window revealing what remained of Earth.

The individual who was on board at the time walked onto the station, his dark visor as the first thing reflecting a crackled and sooty of what remained the only habitable planet in the solar system. He brushed off the dust coating his green helmet and chestplate, with heavy metallic footsteps trailing behind the red dust of the planet Mars.

"I had just managed to gather the coordinations of what Earth presumes is the first Hell Priest: Deag Nilox," a computer on the ship explained as the masked soldier tapped a few times on one of the holographic screens. "He is located in the remains of New York City, as far as I can tell. I will prepare a way down on the planet." As soon as the masked figure moved his hand away from the screen and picked up some sort of futuristic assault rifle off the counter, two pieces of a portal descending down to the large window giving him a clear view of the desolated planet and moon connected with each other, generating some sort of blue vortex in between them.

"They're counting on you, DOOM Slayer," the computer finished as the weapon-armed man walked through the portal, his eyes gleaming with no sign of mercy for the demons through his visor.


The Villager woke up in his sleeping bag, pulling out the cellphone next to him to check on the time. There was sunlight and shadows of the trees above the bright orange tent he was resting in, and the young mayor of Smashville checked his phone to find out the time was 9:52 AM. Villager crawled out of his sleeping bag, yawning and stretching his back as he walked over to a pile of his own clothes folded on a small table. At that time, he was still wearing pajamas, so he went ahead and quickly changed into the fresh pile of clothes.

Upon leaving the tent, the Villager was greeted with the morning sun shining upon him and his tent. The rusty iron-colored branches he bound the strings to support his tent have grown and blossomed from trees with aluminum leaves and trunks that coiled up like springs, and the warbled, gurgling chirps of birds and small woodland creatures could be heard of the morning aroma. The Villager gazed upon the utopian city of architectural skyscrapers that was Civiltatula, taking with him a green backpack he carried along into the woods on a treaded path.

The leaves obscuring the bright blue sky gave out a warm and tinted green shade, with twisted, healthy roots buried halfway underneath the path many people before the young mayor seemed to take thousands of times. The Villager kept hiking until he eventually got to a clearing that led him onto a light-year stone bridge. That bridge stretched several feet across a body of water, the kind that was dotted with tiny clumps of rocks decorated with algae and clusters of freshwater barnacles encasing themselves in their own shells. The building at the end of the bridge was a sight to behold: its architectural style was very familiar to that of a medieval setting, but the atmosphere around it seemed to be slightly alien. Tattered flags of a deep crimson were erected among the outer walls, with arches and pillars supporting blue domes bearing an emblem similar to that of the Smash Balls. As soon as Villager got to the end of the bridge, he scaled up a small flight of quartz stairs so he could meet with the assistant mayor trying her best to nudge the wooden bar sealing one of the doors completely shut.

"Oh! Mr. Mayor!" Isabelle exclaimed in complete surprise. "How nice of you to wake up early. I need your assistance to break down this door so we could get into this place." The Villager, upon quick analysis on the door, pulled out a chopping axe. The appearance of that sharp weapon alone was enough to terrify Isabelle silently to the point where she backed away and ducked her head once the mayor slammed his axe into the wooden bar, hacking into the obstacle until it was nothing more than pieces of soft, spongy splinters that were heavy from the rain of time soaked into it beforehand. This left the Villager with an advantage to nudge the door open, and he put his axe back in his pocket and pushed it open with his body weight.

The two cute villagers waved their hands in front of their face as they tried to get a large cloud of dust in their eyes, with Isabelle coughing in the process. They gazed upon a darkened room, which was completely black from the inside. Despite the fact that there were windows from the outside of the buildings, it didn't seem as though the sun could shine through and brighten up the place, leaving behind the evidence that maybe there was something simple like curtains blocking out any natural light from the outside.

"If I must confess, I don't know if it's safe carrying that axe of yours wherever you go," Isabelle spoke with a bit of fright in her tone of voice, waiting behind the Villager as he walked ahead into the abandoned place. "Someone might lose a limb, or a head, if they're not careful…" The blond shi-tzu ran behind the Villager, who had just slipped the backpack off his shoulders and pulled out an LED lantern. He turned the essential on and adjusted the brightness, giving both himself and his assistant mayor a good glimpse of the place. From what they have seen, it appeared to be a large hallway filled with empty picture frames and benches with frameworks depicting the draconic kings and queens who existed before Ceresor and Ultima that adorned the walls. The Villager gave a lighthearted look at the anthropomorphic dog about why she wanted to come to this place, his stare the only thing doing the talking for him.

"You're probably wondering why I dragged you out of the city just to head on over to this place," Isabelle explained. "It's because I kinda wanted to explore the safe parts of the wilderness. After that encounter with Marx at the ARMS League, let's just say I deserve a little break here. Besides, we can snoop around the place before I have to go off to attend to our universe. Tom Nook has recently been sending out desert island getaway packages to Villagers like you, and I better be there to help him out with his new Nook Miles currency. Guess he really isn't as much of a cheapskate as we thought initially." Villager handed Isabelle the lantern in his hand, to which she took it and wandered off into the large part of the castle.

Isabelle walked forward once she managed to spot a rusty, red carpet on the floor that seemed to coat a stairway to the upper floor which split into two individual flights about halfway in opposite directions. She got to the halfway point, approaching the tapestries that were concealing the windows in the current room they were located at. She fondled with the thick golden rope tying the two drapes together, loosening it with ease.

"This place could use some light around here," Isabelle pointed out, spreading one of the heavy curtains open and tucking its weight behind the wooden railing next to the wall. "Help me out with the other one, will ya?" As Isabelle adjusted the curtain to make sure it didn't slip out, the Smashville mayor walked over to the untouched curtain and pulled it open with ease. Light was now filling up the room, reflecting off the blue zebra quartz dome above it. Despite feeling completely empty, the architectural design of the place in general also felt medieval, all the way down to the pillars fused to the walls supporting the whole place. The floors which the two conjoined stairways led up to were filled with doorways to rooms upon rooms that looked as though they would curve into more hallways.

"From the looks of this place, it appears to be some sort of humongous castle," Isabelle stated, admiring the woodcraft on the stair railing as she walked up the flight on her right. "Perhaps we can try uncovering all the secrets about this place. It looks rich with priceless historical treasures." The Villager looked up at her in concern, wondering if she was content with staying around this large place before she leaves to work in their respected universe, and the dog noticed that too.

"Oh don't worry, Mr. Mayor," Isabelle reassured. "I've got plenty of time before I have to leave. Besides, this place looks so interesting! Several of these rooms are bedrooms, though they're kinda lacking in the bed part…" As Isabelle peered into one of the rooms, she admired the large painting of the dragon's biological evolution in Arcus, and where there was supposed to be a bed, wardrobe, and desk there was just nothing but an unpolished, wooden floor collecting dust.

"Hm… with the right tools, this could be organized from an abandoned castle into some sort of hotel or mansion…" Isabelle continued, taking care as to not get splinters in her feet as she stepped into the first room. Her paw prints from the door into the center of the room were temporarily imprinted into the dust on the floor before they were blown away by the soft wagging of Isabelle's tail. As her eyes glanced around at the place, she walked out of the room and caught witness of her mayor about to walk into another hallway on the right of the large castle.

"W-Wait up!" Isabelle called out, picking up the LED lantern she left halfway on the flight of stairs as she ran down the steps. The anthro dog stood behind Villager as he walked ahead with the backpack on his shoulders, the both of them completely unaware of what they're about to stumble into as they proceeded with caution. The next room they were in had an exquisite mosaic on the floor, with multiple colors arranged into some sort of pattern despite it being hard to see the full image. Isabelle and Villager got to the most spacious part of the room, which was surrounded by four pillars near the curved walls. Isabelle followed close to the young mayor as he took a small flight of stairs up to a series of smaller windows. The Villager put down his lantern, grasping a large golden rope at the edge of the railing, and he pulled on the weight of the curtains. Despite the cloth looking huge and ridiculously opaque, it was actually pretty light and folded in the direction of the adorable fighters.

Now the light could shine through in the place, giving out the full version of the mosaic on the floor. Each tile was carefully constructed to give out the feeling of awe, as the mosaic told a story about the first dragons emerging out from caves. They were taking off into the sky and exploring the ruins of a long-lost civilization that once belonged to humans, and the multiple species of aliens and creatures once dreamed up through mythology surrounding the golden tree of legend: the bearer of Adstrumlestibus, the Core of the First Star, the jewels of gleaming-white and pitch-black, and the seven elemental stones surrounding all three of them. The room itself stretched to the size of a baseball field, with the mosaic itself detailed beyond comparison. There was also some sort of elongated table in the center of the room, surrounded by six smaller tables, and they were all just as crafted with vines and curves as the chairs that encircled each one of them. At the far right of the room from where the Villager and Isabelle were at, a large fireplace stood erect and multiple furnace vents were arranged in a specific pattern on the floor so that they either didn't clash with the mosaic or were cleverly blended into the beautiful image. And at the far end of the room seemed to be two doors: one that was large with a darkened coat of paint and looked as though it seemed to lead into another part of the castle, and a smaller door on their left which seemed to lead into the outside.

"Come on! I want to see what's behind those doors," Isabelle spoke with a cheerful attitude, running down the small flight of stairs towards the two doors at the end of the room. She waited for the Villager to pick up the lantern and follow behind her, and the two approached the doors after making their way through the arranged tables and chairs. The anthro dog simply decided to explore what was behind the smaller door to her left, and the bells in her bun jingled as she fondled with the lock knob on the door and pushed it wide open. What she saw next amazed her.

An ocean-blue lake, disconnected from the body of water outside the stone walls and towers surrounding it, reflected the sunlight off its rippled surface. The liquid itself was so crystal-clear you could see the exotic fish of multiple colors swimming around at the shallow bottom, feeding on the algae that grew on the pebbles. Sticking out of the water were lots of circular islands connected by bridges, with wildflowers growing out of control without tendency. There seemed to be platforms that were supposed to float and give way to another purpose, but their ability to float like the islands in the sky were long-gone as a result of this castle's abandonment. That didn't stop Isabelle from running down the stairs over to one of the islands in curiosity.

"This place is gorgeous~!" Isabelle squealed, her front paws covering her muzzle as an expression of containing her excitement. "We never had flowers like these anywhere on our planet! Imagine what Leif would say when he spots all these kinds of flora! Oh, the sloth is gonna enjoy these~!" Isabelle plucked a few of the flowers from their stems, arranging them into a crown and presenting it to the young mayor.

"For the best mayor in the universe," Isabelle spoke with joy in her heart as she coronated the Villager with the crown of flowers, making him flushed red in the face from delight. "Wait till we tell the others about this place! I hope they're fine with living here, so they can have plenty of room to explore the castle without being cooped up in their small space apartments and city homes all day. Plus, they're never gonna be alone because there's always gonna be some company around this castle one way or another. It's gonna be loads of fun~!" Isabelle walked into the center of the garden mini-island she and Villager were currently on, aware that she was standing on one of the platforms but knew it wasn't going to activate… at least what she knew so far. Once the dog stepped onto the platform, a glimmer of neon light slowly lit up, unaware of what was about to happen next as it slowly levitated upward. It began shedding itself of the vines and moss that tethered it to the stone ground.

"I'm planning on calling it… the Smash Mansion," Isabelle continued. "It's definitely gonna be a place where we can hang out, explore such a humongous place like this, and see what uncharted parts of our world we haven't touched on yet. Why are you giving me that look…?" At this point, Isabelle wasn't aware that she was standing on the levitating platform until she noticed the Villager was looking at her in complete shock. That was when she noticed that the platform she was standing on was activated, and a bright blue vortex flashed behind her.

"Um… Mr. Mayor?" Isabelle asked, unable to get off the platform by jumping off since there was some unknown force possibly connected to the portal that prevented her from moving. "What's happening to me…?" The blue vortex glowed brighter, forcing the Villager to shield his eyes. Next thing he knew, he was alone in the garden, and the platform Isabelle was foolishly standing on slowly levitated down to its original spot. An orange circle on the center of the platform spun around as soon as the descended floor touched the ground. The young mayor of Smashville stood on the same spot where Isabelle was at, but nothing happened. Villager sweated nervously as he took care not to panic from the situation. As far as he could tell, this could probably be one of these portals that only transports people back once they've completed some sort of objective at the location they're warped off to, but that was only a theory and he hoped it was the only explanation. Without Isabelle, there was no one to help Tom Nook run the island, and the Villager didn't know the first thing about the requirements of getting the necessary degrees for handling complicated situations like paperwork and tax funding. So he ran back into the castle, hoping to find someone to help run the getaway packages until Isabelle returned once he left the place.


Bloody, mutilated corpses of what were once innocent civilians hung from an iron-clad ceiling in chains, barely unrecognizable in the gore-infested torture they had to endure. Some of the humanoid bodies were left charred on the ground, their faces of complete torment burnt of whatever skin was attached to their skulls of the blackened muscles that once helped them keep their form. Gurgling voices could be heard in the darkened halls, followed by cracking bones and sloppy munching. The dead, raised from their unholy graves by the supernatural forces that plagued this world, devoured the bodies hanging from the ceiling like rats feasting off rotten cheese.

The blue vortex suddenly appeared in the center of the room, and the demonic zombies caught eyes of the DOOM Slayer marching out of the portal, cocking the shotgun in his hands. Mistaking the armored soldier for just another human to dine on, the undead in the room crawled towards him like a ravenous pack of wolves. Their rotting mouths gaped wide open to claw off the green armor he had on, unaware of the biggest mistake they made.

The Slayer grabbed hold of one of the zombies, his thumb pressing deep into one of its sockets until the pale eyeball inside it burst like a blood-filled grape. He dragged the zombie around and slammed it into the incoming monstrosities, whacking them into piles of shapeless blobs that were no different than the grotesque decorations hanging from the chains in terms of splattered brains through a single swing. He then took his loaded gun and shot the zombie he used as a club, half of its face completely torn apart from the bullet's hit. Once the room was cleared, the Slayer could hear more of the unnatural growling coming from deep within the dimly-lit halls.

He continued charging through the halls of this place, hoping to find the Deag Nilox as he kept a keen eye on the zombies crawling around the building. The current setting in general looked as though Valhalla and satanic rituals had a horrifying child and decided to abandon it in the streets, because even the stench of the rotting corpses would leave a bad mark in the Slayer's nostrils should he take off his helmet. There were a few zombies dropping down on him from the large, rusted chandelier, but the Slayer quickly held his gun in place and shot at every single one of them until there was nothing more than chunks of rotting flesh and blood staining his armor like a morning shower. He plowed through the small hordes of zombies like a bulldozer until he broke through the large door at the end of the large room, marching to yet another door at the end of a sickly light-blue hallway.

Once the Slayer harshly kicked the door down, he was met with a bonfire in the center of the targeted Hell Priest's throne room, the metal holding the kindled charcoal spiked and even in its symmetry. But he didn't bother to admire it as he set eyes on the one he sought to kill on his left: Deag Nilox. The first Hell Priest was covered in hellish drapes, his armor hammered down smoothly and worn of any markings of whatever fear-mongering symbolism it once bore. Deag Nilox's face was no different from the disgusting nature of the clothing, for his flesh was gray and pale and filled with rows of rotting teeth.

"You!" Deag Nilox shouted, pointing at the Slayer with a twisted and gnarled staff in his hand. He was powerless to stop the godlike mortal as he soon felt a heavy grasp on his neck, cutting him away from whatever he needed to breathe in this decaying atmosphere. From the Slayer's perspective, he could feel the Hell Priest's neck muscles twitching underneath as the abomination humanity would no longer fear struggled in his firm grip. In the DOOM Slayer's free hand, he held a glowing-blue token that he had been saving for the likes of the Sentinel leaders.

"My soul… remains guarded!" the Hell Priest continued, his gurgling voice boiling from the blood of his damaged bones as the pressure from the Slayer strangling him grasped tighter. "You can't…!" The token that the brute human held vanished in a wisp of smoke, strengthening his powerful grip on Deag Nilox. Through his gloves, the Slayer could feel the trepidation rising in the Hell Priest's eyes, hearing him try to beg for mercy. Once the Slayer began hearing the muscle fibers tearing beneath the gray skin, images of his ill-forgotten past surfaced back to his head, filling him with the memories of cloaked men that were holding staffs and surrounding him in some form of ritual. The Slayer suddenly heard a neck snap, flesh rip in half, and blood splatter across the floor. In the hand which strangled the High Priest's head now stands the beheaded face of Deag Nilox. Once he felt the building around him rumble, he dashed over to the other side of the throne room, barging through a door to the balcony of the place.

He only saw what the planet Earth looked like from space after his absence, aware that it was even worse standing in it. He gazed upon the abandoned streets of Manhattan, which was torn apart into smaller islands from the rivers of lava down below. Everything that remained of cars and lampposts were buried under tons of rubble crumbling from the massacred skyscrapers, and there were demons both colossal and small invading the streets underneath the thundering darkness covering what's left of New York City.

"The first Hell Priest has been terminated," VEGA spoke to the Slayer from the inside of his visor, for the AI pre-established a connection through the helmet before the soldier left. "The demonic consumption of Earth has been reduced to 36.8%. There are two Hell Priests remaining."

"Eek! Somebody help me!" Isabelle's voice called out from the ground floor of the skyscraper in front of the Slayer. At first, the DOOM Slayer didn't know Isabelle existed, simply mistaking her cry of help as a young adult girl begging for someone to save her. Even though he was aware that anyone who once lived here has long been dead, he knew he had to save her no matter what. Without thinking twice, he charged into the skyscraper to be confronted by three imps cornering the anthropomorphic dog. In comparison, she seemed to be smaller than them in comparison.

"I'm warning you!" Isabelle barked, throwing vases and flower pots at the imps with no effect. "Don't come any closer!" Whatever she had ranging from her trusty fishing rod to her party popper didn't really work against the demonic creatures, forcing her to cower near the corner in fear. Before anything terrible happened to her, she heard the sound of a chainsaw rev up and the tormented cries of the imps as they were sawed in half horizontally in one brutal slice. Isabelle shrieked as she shielded her eyes from the blood getting on her golden fur, feeling utterly disgusted and on the verge of throwing up as she saw an iron-clad foot stomp on the skull of one of the killed imps and turning it into red mush.

Isabelle looked up in terror of the armored warrior who just saved her, and even he was utterly confused by what he saw. Out of all the nightmares and suffering he had to go through, the Slayer found someone who looked completely out of place in such a dark, gritty world he lived through. For whatever reason, looking at this dog reminded him of… someone he lost long ago. Someone who he would go up for against the forces of hell itself just for the grief he had on what they took away from him. Someone who gave him comfort in a solar system torn apart by war. Isabelle, on the other hand, was completely confused and scared.

"Thank you, thank you for saving me!" Isabelle spoke once she thought she was certainly in good hands, but not enough for she didn't know if this stranger would attend to her utmost care or grind her into a red mess like what he made of the imps before. "I thought I was a goner here! I just… showed up in this awful place, like I didn't even know that's what the multiverse is hiding from me. This is coming from a dog who went up against two dragons and a crazy jester… with the last part all belonging to someone else." The Slayer knelt down to make eye contact on the individual he found in this world, the reflection of Isabelle gleaming on his visor.

"I'm Isabelle! Pleasure to meet you here in this… apocalyptic wasteland," Isabelle introduced, carefully grabbing ahold of the Slayer's strong fingers with her tiny paws. "Can you tell me your name?" The adorable dog was already getting friendly with the DOOM Slayer quite quickly, but he didn't really know how to respond to it. He thought it was best if he didn't say anything at all in fear of losing trust with such an… interesting creature.

"Hm… you're one of the silent types, huh?" Isabelle asked, noticing that the Slayer simply said nothing as he looked away from the dog. "From my experience on looking after Mr. Villager's back so many times, I can read people like a book… I think… You might be a bit difficult to identify, though." Again, the Slayer had no comment.

"I see how it is," Isabelle noted, standing up and brushing the dust and blood off her clothes. "You want me to give you a name~!" The Slayer sighed in his mask, unknown if it was out of annoyance or embarrassment. "Let's see. You're a guy, and this place looks like it has a lot of doom in it. I've got it! From now on, I'm gonna call you Doomguy, okay?" The Slayer had no idea how to respond to this, and he tried to say something but didn't really feel like he was the talkative type. Besides, it might be better if the peculiar innocent creature referred to him as Doomguy just to give him some entertainment outside of bloodshed.

"I just remembered! What am I doing here!?" Isabelle asked herself. "The last thing I remember is standing on some sort of platform in the Smash Mansion's garden, and next thing I know I'm here going against literal monsters from hell! And all I have with me are objects that are useless here! If only Mr. Mayor was here with me. I would've been back attending the getaway package system with Tom Nook. Judging by the way your neck's cocked to the side, I doubt you have the technology to get me back to Arcus, don't you?" The Slayer shook his head.

"Figured," the assistant mayor huffed, crossing her arm-like front legs as the Slayer got up and walked to a part of the ruined skyscraper, grabbing ahold of an assault rifle and handing it to her.

"Um, I take your generosity as a blessing, but I really despise weapons like these," Isabelle objected nervously. "Mr. Mayor's axe is enough of a weapon as it is. This is a real GUN. I can't tolerate these kinds of things! I vowed myself from trying to stay away from doing crazy stuff as often as possible. I…" The Slayer simply picked up Isabelle and placed her on his left shoulder with the assault rifle in her paws, hoping he could give this cute little creature some life advice on the essentials of survival.

"So, where to now?" Isabelle asked with a bid of timidness in her voice. The Slayer caught sight of a glowing-green crack from within the rubble, dashing towards it and kicking it down. His current mission for now is to interrupt an ongoing council between the two remaining Hell Priests… and this time, he has a peculiar companion.


In a quiet little coffee shop just in the downtown of Civiltatula, Simon Belmont and Pit were sitting next to a window that gave them both a clear view of the street, watching the Miis and Subspace Army creatures traveling over to their destinations on foot. The vampire hunter and the angel were both drinking refreshing drinks, with Pit's glass of milk mixed with half a cup of vanilla cream and Simon's was just ordinary coffee.

"So… I've been learning a bit about your history of the goddess from your world," Simon spoke, taking a quick sip from his coffee. "Palutena, was it?"

"You bet!" Pit answered with confidence. "And can I let you in on a secret? She's the daughter of Zeus, who was once the king of the gods."

"Oh my…" Simon chuckled, putting his elbows on the table and listening to the angel's conversation. "You know, in my realm, we do worship a God, though He's more… omnipotent than what Palutena claims to be. And we're taught to know Him, love Him, and serve Him, like good Christian boys and girls."

"No way!" Pit gasped in awe, chugging down his glass of creamed milk and setting it aside. "Your world's just so fascinating, and I know about it a whole lot more than you know about mine! And that's coming from Lady Palutena. She knows just about every world that exists, and she hasn't even visited them herself."

"Does she?" Simon asked. "She sure has a lot of time on her hands just to eavesdrop on all that information. Let's change the subject at hand. Your original name, according to your broody twin, was Kid Icarus, correct?" Pit laughed nervously at that part, scratching his temple in complete embarrassment.

"Y'see, that wasn't my original name," Pit replied, trying to keep a straight face and failing to avoid grinning sheepishly. "Lady Palutena and even Pittoo thought it would be a good idea to call me by that… embarrassing name after they've glanced at an alternate timeline about a diminutive version of me whining like a spoiled brat going through this 'poo'berty thing. I suspect they're playing tricks on me as of late…"

"Relax. Don't be too hard on your dame," Simon responded with a smile on his face, ruffling Pit's glossy hair and messing up the aura-like shine on his brown locks. "Besides, you kinda sound like you're whining, 'Kid Icarus.'"

"Stop it~!" Pit giggled, pushing Simon's hand out of his hair. "At least you're not one who's selfishly vain all the time, no offense. You look handsome as heck, and I am so jealous."

"Thanks. At least be glad you don't end most of your words with '-icus,'" Simon Belmont teased, causing Pit to laugh in embarrassment. The bell for the coffee shop jingled, followed by the glass door opening and closing. Mega Man spotted the two fighters chatting with each other, and he walked over to them.

"Hey, Mega Man," Simon Belmont spoke, already greeting the robot without needing a hello from the other. "How's it going?"

"Nothing much," Mega Man responded, with Pit moving closer to the window so the android could take his seat on the cushioned chair. "Just had to thaw a girl out from cyro-hibernation."

"A girl?" Pit asked in bewildered surprise. "Not like that's not a normal thing from the logic of this world, but still!"

"The Earth Citrine led us to her," Rockman continued. "Don't know why, but hopefully we can get some answers once she wakes up."

"Sounds interesting…" Simon noted. "What did you learn there?"

"Just something about how there were toys before us and the dragons, how they used the stars to guide them… it was pretty confusing, really," Mega Man went on. "My circuits may be wrong, but I suspect Sonic might have had a spiritual affair, which could explain why he couldn't learn all those fancy tricks like he did at Dharkon's version of Hyrule. He was getting through challenges with flying colors, and now they're just… gone… I'm sorry. Did I drag on for too long?"

"Not really," Pit answered, taking another chug from his creamed milk. "There was so much stuff you talked about, I'm not sure if I followed the whole thing through. Anyways, what brings you here? The need for a 'mega-licious' drink?"

"Yeah, I guess," Mega Man laughed, taking Pit's out-of-nowhere pun with a kind-enough heart to let it slide. "I know it's not really necessary for me, but I just kinda wanted to chat with you guys."

"Go ahead. We're all ears," Simon Belmont replied.

"Well, you know the apartments we're staying at, both here in this town and the Legacy, are pretty cramped," Rockman noted. "Now don't get me wrong: they have wonderful technology, but it feels too… alien, for my taste. Like something doesn't necessarily fit for me."

"Yeah, you're right," Pit replied, setting down his drink. "As far as I know, nothing felt familiar to me no matter how much I changed the room I share with Pittoo and Lady Palutena."

"Thankfully, Isabelle and the Villager went off into the woods to search for a place us fighters can enjoy," Mega Man added. "It'll just be all of us living together in the same place but in different rooms. Like a huge mansion with plenty of space and activities. We can always drop for a visit here in Civiltatula, but not really stay in the city. We'll have to see what the others say once everyone's done with their otherworld duties."

"Sounds interesting," Simon responded, placing his forefinger underneath his chin. "I've been planning to move to somewhere more traditional and spacious, so maybe this whole mansion idea could work…"

"Well, I'm on board with it!" Pit spoke with enthusiasm in his voice. "I'm ready to kick back and relax like there's no tomorrow!" Just then, the bell rang upon the door opening, and into the coffee shop ran in a panicking Villager.

"Oh my. Back so soon, Villager?" Mega Man asked.

"What's the matter?" Pit questioned. "You're more… frightened than usual." The Villager trembled in place, unable to say anything.

"What do you need? A notepad or something…?" Simon asked.

"I think the Villager's trying to tell us that Isabelle's gone, and... that he needs us to run her office until she comes back," Mega Man answered.

"How do you know that Isabelle's gone?" Pit questioned.

"A powerful circuit in my brain helps me read people better, ranging from alien voices to facial expressions," Rockman responded, tapping his blue helmet. "If you're a robot in my time, you should definitely get an upgrade like that…"

"Well, can you take us to your universe?" The Belmont cross-examined the Villager. "I've been hearing this talk about paperwork, and it sounds pretty easy." The mayor of Smashville smiled, knowing he could count on these three fighters to help run the business of the getaway package.

Sometime later upon the Legacy, the Villager was walking with the trio of fighters towards the transporter aboard the ship. The young mayor of Smashville looked left and right around the small area, catching eye on a notebook laid out on the control panel. He grabbed hold of it and quickly scribbled down on the pages with a pen. He was taking into consideration that while fighters like Isabelle and Mega Man could communicate with him easily by facial expressions alone, it would take more time for everyone else to understand him unless they were explicitly told what the Villager meant. As soon as the Villager put away the pen, he presented the note to Simon Belmont.

"Uh… what's it say?" Pit asked, oblivious to the fact that he couldn't read. Simon then read aloud the message as follows:

~ In case you haven't understood me the first time, allow me to clarify. When Isabelle and I were at the Smash Mansion, she got sucked into a portal found on one of those floating platforms we thought were deactivated until it was too late. I was kind of wondering if you three could help run Isabelle's job. Your goal is to help Tom Nook run his getaway package business across the desert islands he purchased for Villagers like me. While you help attend papers and stuff, the Koopalings and I will try to figure out how to get Isabelle back. Text me if you have any problems, and be sure to also use the apps on my phone since you're gonna be borrowing it. Hope I cleared things up for you, since it's been a while after I've written on some paper.

"Uh… yeah, sure," Pit answered. "Doing stuff like work for paper doesn't sound that hard, especially after all I've been through involving slaying monsters and demons and-"

"I think we get the point," Mega Man interrupted, holding his hands open to let the Villager place three of the white pellets and his phone in the robot's possession. "Considering the following that you can't read and that all this technology will be completely alien to Simon, perhaps I can help give you guys the idea."

"I guess it works," Simon Belmont spoke out, standing on a glowing platform in the transporter. "So… a desert island getaway package?" Mega Man nodded, stepping into another platform while Pit followed them in. The trio looked down to see a flash of light engulf them, and they disappeared to Villager's world in thin air. All the mayor of Smashville hoped now was that his assistant mayor was alive and well once he attempts on getting her back.


The demons and zombies crawled around New York City, their blood-stained claws scratching the rubble of wherever they stepped. Big demons, small demons, demons that can fly, and demons that travel in packs - all of them craving for the taste of human flesh. Even if the population of the city was either killed off or evacuated, the creatures infecting the metropolis were patient for an unsuspecting human to arrive. One of the zombies was pushing away the rubble it was buried in, growling with its mouth agape. Before it even emerged from the ground, a heavy foot crushed its skull before it even emerged as a reborn entity of madness.

Demons smelled the blood of their own kind splattered across the cracked pavement, spotting the legendary DOOM Slayer himself as the one who killed the zombie. Sitting on his left shoulder was Isabelle, sweat dripping down her face as she stared at the packs of demons and fiends flocking towards the duo.

"Hehe… is it just me or is it getting hot in here?" Isabelle nervously asked, tugging on the neckline of her outfit as a way to mask her hemophobic thoughts with the heat of the lava rivers flowing through New York City. The Slayer simply cocked his shotgun and fired away at the demons. He was taking down a few at a time, shooting at the winged beasts like flies. Aware of how nervous Isabelle was in a strange new world, the Slayer grabbed ahold of the anthropomorphic dog like a baby and set her down on the rubble.

"What are you doing!?" Isabelle asked as the Slayer adjusted the gun she carried on her back so that she was holding it. "No! Nonononono! There is no way I am using a gun like this. This is suicide!" The Slayer simply let her relax as he guided her gun towards one of the gargoyles that was approaching the two. Panicking, Isabelle fired her assault rifle and blew the gargoyle's head off. When the dog opened up her eyes, the Slayer was guiding her aim towards another one of the winged demons, helping keep her eyes open as Isabelle fired again.

"Um… Am I supposed to be doing this?" Isabelle asked, with the Slayer helping her keep aim at one of the grounded demons as he shot down another gargoyle in the sooty air. "I've been fighting as far as I can remember, but this is ridiculous!" The dog fired again and killed another imp, unaware that she was slowly getting the hang of it once she gunned down several zombies. The Slayer spotted a desolated cathedral just fractions of a mile away, with VEGA running a scan of the peculiar area over at the buildings behind the crackled church.

"My sensors indicate a rich abundance of paranormal activity from where the Deagic Council is taking place just located behind that cathedral," VEGA told the Slayer. "If we interrupt the conversation between the two remaining Hell Priests and eradicate them where they stand, there could be a chance all demonic consumption of Earth will vanish and give humans a chance to repopulate." Knowing that's where the other two Hell Priests are hiding, the Slayer grabs ahold of Isabelle as she's starting to gun down a small horde of spider-robot hybrids from a reasonable distance. He begins carrying a confused Isabelle on his shoulders, double-jumping across the crumbling floors and attacking the advancing forces of hell.

Keeping his eyes on the area behind the cathedral, the Slayer took hold of a chainsaw and began cutting down the imps, cyborg-spiders, and zombies until they were nothing more than a trail of limbs and blood. Isabelle, trying her best not to panic, focused on gunning down the creatures chasing them to the cathedral.

"This is not what I was expecting when I got trapped in another world with nothing like this!" Isabelle whimpered, reloading her gun with the ammo the DOOM Slayer picked up and tossed to her. "I just wanna go home!" The dog held on tight to his armor, unaware that she used the newfound ammo until she heard an explosion that stung her ears. Heads and limbs flew past the Slayer and fell into the lava as he was using the thrusters in his suit to jump over to the entrance of the cathedral. He then gently lowered Isabelle off his shoulders as he loaded his shotgun and kicked the barricaded door down. The second the demons inside the cathedral heard the Slayer walk in, Isabelle stayed behind as she watched the Slayer rip bodies in half, eyes and teeth flying left and right, and growling silenced by the human soldier tearing their heads off. Once the Slayer finished clearing the place up, he took hold of Isabelle and got to a part of the ruined building. VEGA was keeping a clear scan on the abandoned UAC Headquarters just located on the other side of the lava river.

The Slayer looked at Isabelle, patting her terrified head as a sign of letting her know she was going to be okay in such an apocalyptic world. Tightly holding onto Isabelle with one hand, he ran straight for the headquarters with a leap of faith. The dog covered her eyes in fright, her body shaking as the DOOM Slayer latched onto a wall and hung on for dear life. He was luckily close enough to toss the small dog onto the edge of the broken floor, and he quickly climbed up near her.

"At least warn me before you toss me into certain death!" Isabelle yelled at the Slayer, cocking a grenade launcher and firing at a horde of zombified soldiers that shot plasma projectiles. The grenade shot from Isabelle's launcher exploded, killing most of the zombies in the room. The Slayer began rushing up to the imps and zombies that survived the initial blast and tore their heads off, walking back towards the anthropomorphic dog.

"Heh heh… sorry about that outburst, Doomguy," Isabelle nervously replied, rubbing the back of her neck. "For a second there, I thought I was a goner. And to be honest… I think I'm starting to get used to fighting these kinds of enemies thanks to you around..." The Slayer pulled out a shotgun, triggering some sort of fight-or-flight shiver down Isabelle's spine. She didn't know that the Slayer had no intentions of shooting her until she heard the plasma bullet fly over her head once she ducked in fear. When she heard the bullet hit something else behind her, she looked and discovered what appeared to be the body of a flying, one-eyed cacodemon that fell dead into the lava rivers. The DOOM Slayer seemed to have noticed the cacodemon was about to attack Isabelle and so killed the creature in the process with just a single charged shot.

"Oh. I… guess I might have underestimated you," Isabelle noted as the Slayer picked her up like a baby and placed her on his shoulders, configuring VEGA to scan through the visor on his helmet about the whereabouts of the Deagic Council.

"A portal to the two remaining Hell Priests and the Khan Maykr is located on the roof of the Union Aerospace Corporation Headquarters, but it is currently deactivated," VEGA spoke. "In order to activate the portal, you would have to climb up to the top and defeat the demons guarding it." The Slayer jumped towards one of the pathways across the first floor with his thrusters, climbing onto it and punching one of the zombies in the face. As he focused on denting the skulls of the demonic creatures with nothing but his bare fists, Isabelle paid close attention to the cacodemons and flying imps that dived straight down for them like vultures attracted to the smell of fresh corpses. The cute dog was unknowingly starting to become entertained by the blood of the demons, holding on tight to the Slayer's back as he jumped back and forth to whichever part of each floor was the most stable.

The Slayer gripped tight to one of the walls, jumping onto the topmost floor below the roof with Isabelle on his shoulder. An incoming wave of demonic monsters crawled after them from the top and bottom like a small swarm of locusts, having already sensed the presence of the DOOM Slayer beforehand. He pulled the pin on a nearby frag grenade, throwing it at the demons until an explosion of fire and limbs scattered across the desolated place. Isabelle was minding her business, having quickly gotten used to making demons bleed even though she said she wasn't into this. However, she was only gunning down arachnotrons, cacodemons, imps, and zombies effortlessly just so she could get back to Arcus and attend the getaway package. That was what she kinda wanted… right? To just reach out to her friends and escape from this living nightmare of the forces of hell walking the planet?

Isabelle's ears pricked up when she heard the sound of a screaming woman, even though the only sound she could hear was the demons in front of her getting gunned down by a rapid firing of bullets. It was completely odd for her since she noticed there were no other humans left in the city. What was even stranger was that the Slayer didn't seem to notice, and he was still busy tearing off the heads of the zombies and demons trying to get close to him.

C'mon, Izzy. Focus! Isabelle thought, shaking her head of the random noise she heard as she reloaded her assault rifle. You're probably hearing things in this crazy dimension. This is literal hell you're going through! Once we get rid of these Hell Priests and whatever that "Khan Maykr" is, you can head back to Mr. Mayor, Mario, Cloud, Snake, everyone you know before you head out to your own comfort zone within the town hall… Isabelle heard the screaming woman's voice again, crying out for help in this wasteland of a headquarters. Before the demons she was attacking tried to grab her, she quickly squirmed behind them below their feet and ran towards the sound.

The anthropomorphic dog followed the cries until she was in a darkened hallway, with the growling of the monsters chasing after her. As two zombies approached behind her and tried to claw her, Isabelle pulled out a shotgun and blew the brains of one zombie off while she pocketed a projectile sent out by an arachnotron from the entrance of the hallway. She sent it at the second zombie and knocked its corpse back, and she quickly planted a Lloid Rocket on the floor as the arachnotron chased her down. The initial explosion knocked the demonic spider-cyborg onto its back, making it squirm as Isabelle nervously approached the weakened creature. She noticed the tail it was using to fire these kinds of projectiles was also its weak spot due to the fact that the tipper looked out of place compared to the rest of the robotic body. She quickly ripped the tipper off with her paws, instantly killing the arachnotron.

"The cleansing of Earth is a necessary step on the path to a brighter tomorrow," a woman preached behind Isabelle. The dog turned around and only found what appeared to be a holographic image of a spokesperson that dressed in a suit belonging to the UAC, spreading misleading lies and propaganda about how this merging between worlds is a good thing. "Don't waste your living moments praying for the coming of the Second Messiah. He'll never save you from our salvation. Our way of life is the one true way."

"Somebody save me! Help!" the voice called out again. Isabelle shook away the preaching coming from the hologram, and she ran over to a nearby office before stopping. Her eyes gazed upon some sort of gigantic centipede with humanoid eyes running vertically down its exoskeleton, with a suction mouth filled with slimy tendrils. It loomed over a frightened young woman, with bangs of white and eyes of red. She was dressed in some form of middle-aged clothing, with a short-sleeved shirt of gray and a belt wrapped around her waist to hold up her long black pants. The coat wrapped over her shoulders was a mixture of green and mostly red with a black hood. She seemed to be in complete fear, the expression on her face almost certainly real.

The centipede twisted its body at Isabelle, gurgling and screeching as it charged straight for the anthropomorphic dog. In complete panic, Isabelle loaded her gun and fired, shooting rapidly until it was nothing more than a mess of white pus and an exoskeleton filled with holes. Once things seemed to calm down for the most part, Isabelle put away her gun and slowly approached the frightened young woman.

"Are you alright?" Isabelle asked, placing her soft paw on the woman's knee. "That bug isn't going to harm you anymore, Ms.…"

"Manah," the woman answered as soon as she calmed down. "I… would like to thank you for saving me. I thought I was a goner."

"Don't mention it," Isabelle replied, stepping back once the stranger known as Manah stood up. "But I'm quite curious: what exactly are you doing here? From the looks of this city, I'd say there are no survivors left, so…"

"The details aren't important right now," Manah replied, interrupting Isabelle without letting her finish. "What matters is you saved me, and I am aware of your… current predicament. I know how much you want to leave this place, and I'll be happy to oblige."

"Oblige?" Isabelle asked with surprise. "What exactly are you playing at? How did you know I wanted to leave?"

"Either it was a shot in the dark or you obviously look like you don't belong here," Manah pointed out. "All I want to do is help you out, but in return I require some sort of payment."

"I only have a few dollars in my pockets right now, so I might not give you more unless I hear over to my bank and-" Isabelle went on.

"No… not that kind of payment," Manah reassured, sitting down on the concrete floor. "I'm of course talking about… a payment of blood." In her hands, she held some sort of ancient dagger with a blue blade.

"Where did you… get that?" Isabelle asked, her face pale in bewilderment.

"Found it at the depths of Hell," Manah responded. "The Betrayer certainly didn't mind if this dagger was given to the one you call Doomguy. He let me send my regards for him. You can only give this dagger to your companion after we bind each other in mixed blood."

"Why should I do that?" Isabelle pointed out with far more questions than answers.

"This is the only way I'm going to help you out of this place, Isabelle," Manah noted, slashing her open palm with the dagger until a deep gush of red flowed from her hand. "The way you came in cannot lead you out unless someone from the outside reconfigures your location…"

"...Manah, at some point in this crazy adventure, will you tell me who you are if you're willing to help me out?" Isabelle did not hesitate as she held out her paw. "I hope you aren't gonna deceive me…"

"Don't worry. I learned from my mistakes long ago." Manah placed the blade on Isabelle's paw, cutting it deep with one clean slash. The dog's paw was now bleeding, and she grabbed ahold of Manah's bleeding hand with pain-fueled tears from her eyes. A blinding light surrounded the mysterious young woman, forcing Isabelle to shield her face.

Soon you will know the truth… Manah's voice echoed as the woman disappeared without a trace. Isabelle heard the last word fade away, and she looked down to see that her paw lacked the slash created earlier. The dog rubbed her face, confused if it was just a dream or something. The dog felt the hilt of the dagger near her feet, and she picked it up and looked at the thing. She suddenly heard footsteps approaching behind herself, and she heard the heavy breathing of her companion in this world.

"Oh, Doomguy!" Isabelle responded, presenting him with the dagger hilt she found. "I just found this weapon around here. Heard it came from some guy called the Betrayer from Hell. He gave you his condolences for your journey…" The Slayer picked up the weapon, placing it in one of the pockets he carried around in his suit. Enough weird things had been happening as of late thanks to Isabelle's arrival. He didn't need to question what that important-looking dagger was doing lying around out in the open. He picked up Isabelle and ran back with her up to the rooftop of the UAC Headquarters.

Once the Slayer climbed up to the top, he crushed the skull of the last demon on the roof trying to get away from his rampage as soon as he saw the human from the large hole. With that demon's death, a portal gateway installed on top of the building activated from the absence of the supernatural forces guarding it. Isabelle slipped out of the Slayer's arm, looking around the gods sprinkled across the roof like a cake on steroids.

"To make up for your absence, I will be the one to fill you in on the details," VEGA spoke from the Slayer's helmet. "The DOOM Slayer had managed to clear out the whole roof before he went to look for you. Now the two remaining Hell Priests are located just beyond that portal."

"I guess we march on to your victory, Doomguy," Isabelle responded as the Slayer picked her up and carried her through the red portal. They managed to arrive on the other side, appearing within the halls of the demonic citadel. There were a few demons crawling around, with the Slayer simply shooting them in the heads.

"The Khan Maykr is at the topmost floor," VEGA assured. "If you take the way up in the center of the citadel, you both can stop her and the other Hell Priests." Isabelle jumped off the Slayer's shoulder, following the human soldier as he rushed over to one of the demons and ripped its head off. The anthropomorphic dog jumped when she heard an energy blast fly straight past her feet, generating a large explosion. She quickly glanced behind her left shoulder to find out the culprit was yet another demon, except it had a large plasma cannon fused to its shoulders.

The demon kept its aim on its cute target, trying to hit her with charged shots as they missed the dog completely. She then ran up the armed demon's back before pulling out her shotgun and pressing the trigger. She shot the creature at the back of the head, singlehandedly slaying the bipedal beast. Once the blood quickly dried up on her uniform, Isabelle tapped on the cannon to make sure it was still active before she ripped it off the demon's corpse. Much to her surprise, the cannon fired down the hall parallel to where the Slayer was at right now. The charged shot hit a cacodemon right in the eye, instantly killing it.

Isabelle glanced down at the item in complete shock, realizing this weapon might be one of many to help her out in this fight. She met up with the Slayer in the center of the citadel, with the two separate hallways meeting up again at the lift. The lift itself was constructed out of a pentagram, with a skull on a pedestal in the center of a platform. The Slayer walked up to the pedestal and slammed the skull, activating the lift just in time as Isabelle quickly climbed onto it with such a huge weapon like the plasma cannon.

"So… we just get rid of the bad guys and we can return home, right?" Isabelle asked, panting as she lifted up the cannon with both of her hands. The Slayer tossed another one of the blue tokens, which looked identical to the one he used upon Deag Nilox. He didn't say anything but cocked his shotgun as he waited to get off the lift, hoping to free his home planet of these demons for good.

"The Khan Maykr is present at this meeting," VEGA assured. "But when outside of her domain, she is by all accounts indestructible." Deep chanting could be heard as the lift slowed down, echoing throughout the chambers as the two Hell Priests were facing each other. The one on the right bore a crown smaller than the one Deag Nilox had worn, and the one on the left had half of his face concealed by a mask with weird markings. They were each Deags Grav and Ranak respectfully, and they spotted the legendary Slayer himself with a random animal by his side.

"H-How can this be?" Deag Ranak asked in complete surprise. "No man can pass through the gate! It is…" The Slayer simply tossed the mutilated head of Deag Nilox at the feet of the Hell Priests, with the crown of the fallen Deag clanking on the steel floor. They were both completely surprised by all this.

"This… stops nothing!" Deag Grav objected as the DOOM Slayer walked off the lift, with Isabelle trying her best to hold the heavy plasma cannon with pockets full of other weapons given to her through the genocide of demons.

"The sacrament of the world to the great Khan Maykr will be made and the energy of her world will be restored once again through the suffering of your people!" Deag Ranak responded as the Slayer walked around Deag Grav in a half circle and went between the two Hell Priests.

"As it is written," Deag Grav notified. "From the souls of the non-believers!" As Isabelle tried her best to keep her center of gravity from holding such a heavy weapon, she found her balance slipping easily.

"You will not save them from their judgment!" Deag Ranak replied, unaware of the glint shining off the Slayer's visor as the human noticed the tiny dog's upcoming accident might be salvation for all mankind. A blade ejected from his right glove, and he quickly slashed through the neck of Deag Ranak. Isabelle tripped and unknowingly fired the plasma cannon, blowing off Deag Grav's head off before he could warp away on his pedestal.

And just like that as the Slayer tossed one of the tokens onto Deag Grav's body, all three Hell Priests were killed.

"Oh my gosh!" Isabelle gasped as she saw what she had done. "I didn't know this was gonna happen! I thought if I bring a weapon like this, I would feel awesome like you! It was an accident! I… I saved humanity in this universe?" The confused dog reached into her full pockets and pulled out the second token, tossing it onto Deag Ranak's body.

"It appears as though the dog who calls herself Isabelle is distraught by what happened," VEGA spoke to the Slayer. "Should she have known what she was doing, the salvation of all humanity would be farther from our grasp. It would best if we let her little accident slip past us as intentional."

"Fool!" a booming voice echoed throughout the citadel, shaking the steel floor a bit. "We were this close to saving humanity, and that bipedal canine that followed you had to help interfere with the consumption of your world!" A strange being appeared in the center of the three pedestals, towering over the DOOM Slayer and Isabelle. She was supposedly the Khan Maykr herself, with her floating body covered in markings and sci-fi architecture in her dress not designed by humankind. Her cold eyes stared down upon the duo, glaring at them with an unforetold vengeance.

"You may have held back the demonic consumption of Earth for now, but the citadel of Hebeth will provide the demons a way to thrive and harvest the Argent energy necessary to fuel our world," the Khan Maykr went on. "Your world will fall into extinction, and it will be your fault… for it was you who was meant to enforce it." The Slayer didn't really care about what she said as he fired his shotgun at the Khan Maykr. She quickly vanished in a golden light before she was hit.

"Now opening the portal," VEGA spoke, with a blue portal opening up behind the Slayer and Isabelle. The dog forced the arm cannon into her pockets as she followed the Slayer into the portal, reappearing back at the fortress.

"Wow!" Isabelle gasped as she looked around the architecture of the place. "Is this where you live? This looks so cool! I know I've basically been around in one of these, but still!" A live news broadcast began to play on one of the holographic computer screens, about to fill in on what just happened.

"This is Kent Brian, reporting to you live from inside the ARC facility," the spokesperson filled in. "In a surprising twist of faith, all three of the Hell Priests have been reported dead inside the remains of New York City, significantly hindering the demonic population and dropping the 60% of consumption to a staggering 2%. However, that doesn't mean we're done with the forces of hell just yet."

"According to a recent message from Dr. Samuel Hayden, Hell's massive citadel of Nekravol is only a gateway for the demonic forces and the Maykr to rise up against humanity and drive us all to extinction," a spokeswoman replied in another location just within a random facility. "However, he still has hope for the DOOM Slayer and a seemingly reported… two-legged dog, and he promises to help our savior in any way that he can… even if it means directing him through Hell itself. We're counting on you, Slayer. Save us all." The broadcast ended shortly after.

"Right now, I don't have the exact location of Nekravol due to the lack of information presented in my databanks," VEGA pointed out. "However, should you go retrieve Dr. Hayden's robot chassis, perhaps he will give you an insight on where the city of Nekravol and Urdak might be and direct you through the two places." The Slayer approached the control panel, tapping on the holographic screens and locating a portal to the ARC compound where Dr. Hayden has taken shelter in.

"I will now be opening a portal to the compound," VEGA continued, configuring the location before drawing out the frames of the portal from the floor. Another blue portal was activated, with the DOOM Slayer grabbing hold of a flamethrower upgrade for one of his guns at the back of the room. He glanced down at Isabelle, cocking his head towards the portal as he walked in.

Isabelle looked down at her dress, the green plaid vest she wore dyed a deep crimson red from the dried blood spilt onto her beforehand. Her fuzzy and golden fur was now tainted in muck and chunks of flesh, and she began to wreak with an awfully putrid stench. She never experienced something like this in all her battles, no matter how intense they were. She would rather just live a quiet life on the island of her dreams, unable to go outside, fill out mountains of paperwork to the point of complete stress and depression while her mayor went out collecting bugs and catching fish to pay off his loans. She hardly ever socialized with any of the villagers in her town, even though she was glad none of them weren't really eaten by the Subspace Army beforehand. For whatever reason… she was starting to find her own life quite boring.

"Starting to find some form of excitement in this world?" Manah's voice asked behind Isabelle. The dog was easily spooked by the mysterious woman, having completely forgotten she made a pact with her in blood.

"Oh! Manah! I completely did not see you there!" Isabelle responded. "I was just… about to head out and leave this place once I take care of the demonic forces!"

"And go back to a boring life of your own?" Manah added.

"I just… look, it's a job that I have and can't afford to lose over some hundred thousand million demons," Isabelle objected. "No matter how boring it is, it's still my life."

"Face it: you're finding entertainment in this realm," Manah continued, kneeling down to her level. "But if it's your duty to fill out papers, then fair enough."

"You said you are going to help me, right?" Isabelle pointed out. "We made that whole deal about becoming bound in blood or however that works."

"Of course," Manah answered as truthfully as she could. "I could do anything for a friend, but again: a payment in blood. It's not going to be YOUR blood this time. If I'm going to get you home, you're going to have to get the heart of a Marauder and place it in this…" The red-eyed woman pulled out a gray sack and gave it to Isabelle. Imprinted on the sack seemed to be some sort of astrological zodiac sign arranged similarly to Aquarius, the physical manifestation of Ganymede who carried a vase full of water.

"What's a… Marauder?" Isabelle asked.

"That's for you to find out," Manah noted. "I'll be seeing you whenever you get the heart and bring it back here. Only then can I truly help you get back to your companions."

"Thanks, I guess," Isabelle responded with a half-relieved tone, walking towards the portal. As she looked back, the young woman with the white hair vanished.

"I hope my other pals are doing just fine without me," Isabelle noted before she stepped into the portal. "They might get some enjoyment from my job… no matter how dull it is…"


The cool ocean breeze blew across a quiet island, which was filled with a rich abundance of fruit-filled trees and a salty air. The bright sun over the blue ocean pierced the clear skies, and flashes of white appeared in front of the town hall. Simon Belmont, Pit, and Mega Man all walked in through the door, alerting an adorable tanooki who was dressed up in tropical clothing and stood about Isabelle's size.

"Are you Tom Nook?" Mega Man asked.

"Aw~! He's so adorable!" Pit squeed, burying his mouth into his hands and flapping his wings in goes. "I wanna hug him!"

"Relax, Pit," Simon assured, holding the angel back.

"Why yes I am," the tanooki answered. "Any idea where Isabelle might be? She was supposed to show up a half-hour ago."

"That's kinda why we're here," Mega Man replied, handling most of the talking. "Y'see, Isabelle's gotten… sick this morning. A case of the flu, symptoms came early. And she doesn't want others to catch that nasty cold of hers so she locked herself up at her place. She doesn't want to come out right now, saying she's doing social distancing. Anyways, we were wondering if we could take over Isabelle's job until she recovers."

"...I see," Tom Nook noted, getting up from his chair. "Right this way, please." Tom Nook opened up a small door near Isabelle's counter, and the three walked in.

"Usually, it was Isabelle who did most of these, but seeing as how she's sick you three could easily manage this. Tall guy, you're in charge of bringing in any paperwork that is brought in and shredding up any scams. Winged boy, you sign the papers and either approve or deny any changes to the other islands. Blue guy, you scan the signed documents and email them to the town hall each paper came from. Think you can do that?"

"Sure," Simon answered, with the other two nodding in agreement. "I mean, how boring can it be?"

Several minutes later, the trio was starting to slowly get exhausted from all this paperwork Isabelle didn't have to deal with. Simon was bringing in stacks of paper and looking through each one, Pit didn't know how to read or write, and Mega Man was the only one who wasn't as bored as the other two.

"How do I know which to give to Pit and which to shred?" Simon asked, looking through the papers on top of a stack.

"I told you before: if it's by an anonymous business, has bad grammar, or overall just wants you to give up whatever money you have, you shred it," Mega Man responded.

"Hey, Rockman," Pit questioned. "I still don't know how to approve things by signing them."

"Look: all you have to do is fill in a few circles without going over the outline and scribble a bit on the dotted line," Mega Man sighed in annoyance. "Besides, Tom Nook's the boss, even if I could do all this by myself. You two can sit this one out though. I'm sure the tanooki wouldn't mind."

"And why should we listen to you?" Simon asked.

"I'm a robot, Belmont," Mega Man answered, knocking on his blue helmet. "And I'm far more capable of running this job myself just like Isabelle does."

"Running all this by yourself?" Pit asked, putting away the paper he accidentally tore while trying to sign with a fountain pen. "All this paperwork is really confusing."

"Move aside," Rockman added, taking a small portion of paper on top of the stack, reading through the papers he held with careful analysis. He placed the papers that checked out in his eyes while shredding the scams. Mega Man then began filling out the circles and signing the papers before scanning and emailing them, working quite efficiently.

"Hm… wonders of technology," Simon spoke in surprise.

"Yeah, Dr. Light made him like this," Pit filled in. "I'm quite surprised too. I'm sure wherever Isabelle is, she's in the utmost care of someone who would protect her cuddly face from all harm."


It had been a few minutes ever since Isabelle and the Slayer arrived at the ARC facility, and already they were attacking the demons that broke into the building as the alarm blared throughout the place. As the DOOM Slayer crushed the skulls of the creatures trying to get to them, Isabelle kept a keen eye out for the arachnotrons and cacodemons chasing them down. The two stopped in front of an elevator, which was locked by a specialized hand scanner near the steel doors.

"Dr. Hayden's office laboratory is located at the top of this facility," VEGA explained. The glass containing the hand scanner opened, waiting for someone to scan the hands of those applied as workers for the facility.

"It doesn't look like we can get to the top that easily," Isabelle pointed out to the DOOM Slayer as she tossed a frag grenade at an incoming horde of demons. "Perhaps we might have to gather up some human DNA and make it into some sort of prototype that-" The Slayer simply grabbed a nearby imp and slammed its head into the scanner, breaking both the creature and the device. The elevator doors opened as a result, much to Isabelle's surprise.

"Or we could do that," Isabelle sighed as she got into the elevator with the Slayer, firing her plasma cannon at the demons trying to claw their way into the closing doors. The elevator ascended, giving out a sense of peace and tranquility after having to deal with a barrage of hellions. Isabelle looked up at the Slayer, watching the heavy breathing fog up the inside of his visor. From what she could tell, the DOOM Slayer was hiding something.

"So… any idea what these monsters want with you?" Isabelle asked. "This Khan Maykr lady said it's all your fault this version of Earth is going to die. What exactly happened between you two?" The Slayer looked down at the tiny dog, sighing as he looked away. Memories began to flood back to him as his mind went elsewhere after he heard Isabelle ask him the question.


He remembered the darkened halls. The chains that bound his wrists as he was dragged by two ancient soldiers clad in armor. He saw the uncorrupted faces of Deags Nilox and Ranah, admiring the helmet he wore.

"We had just found him outside the Sentinel Prime gates," one of the armored men spoke. "Those that survived his onslaught referred to him as simply the Doomguy."

"The… demons!" the Doomguy muttered with a boiling rage as he tried to claw away from the Sentinels. "Must… kill them all! Must… avenge Daisy!" He couldn't help himself. The lust and hunger for bloodshed got to his head, driving him mad to the brink of killing anyone that got in his way should one tiny thing tick him off.

"Instead of returning to Earth, he chose to stay in Hell and close the portal that connected the two worlds," another one of the Sentinels responded. "He began to speak in madness as though he's seen a ghost, hoping to avenge a rabbit he held very close to his heart. He chose never to love again after he lost her, saying he will rip and tear through Hell until there are no more demons left." The two Hell Priests looked upon the unmasked human soldier, gazing upon the bloodthirsty eyes that stared back at them. They saw a cold abyss mixed with a blazing inferno: a chaotic quagmire tearing him apart not just for his pet… but for all of humanity. If he was going to survive, he was going to learn how to become a Sentinel and control the hot fire and cold ice burning within him.

"He still has some fight left in him," Deag Nilox mentioned. "Pit him against the other gladiators."

"We have confidence the Doomguy has potential in making it to the front lines," Deag Ranak replied. The Sentinels dragged the rambling marine soldier away, tossing him into the gladiator ring.

Hours of torment had passed, and all but the Doomguy were either brutally injured or slowly dying from their wounds. Despite having a mortal scar that cut deep into his chest, he still persisted. He still survived.

He still stayed determined.

"Rip and tear… rip and tear!" the Doomguy shouted in victory, his bare fists dyed completely in red.

"Truly remarkable…" Deag Grav noted after finding out only the Doomguy was standing. "No man has ever surpassed our trials. You'll make a fine addition to the front lines, stranger!" As the Hell Priest gently took hold of the Doomguy's hand, the human pushed himself away. The Doomguy was still consumed by the madness of the losses he had to endure. And it didn't just involve Daisy. It involved his entire life. All of it torn away by the creatures who would sacrifice their own kind just to kill and multiply.

"The demons!" the Doomguy rambled, his vision blurry until he could no longer tell the difference between the men he fought in the gladiator ring and the demons of his past. "They're… They're everywhere! Must… kill them all!"

"Dress his wounds and bring him to us," the Khan Maykr spoke behind Deag Grav. "I want to know more about the others he speaks of." The Doomguy looked up at her holy appearance, suspicious of the fact that she was curious about the demons he sought to kill.

What he didn't know was that those words he foolishly blared aloud would change the fate of his world.


"Hello?" Isabelle asked, climbing up the Slayer's back and waving her paw in front of his face. "Mr. Doomguy? Are you even listening?" The DOOM Slayer snapped out of his remembrance, looking up at the cute dog in front of his visor. She slipped off his green armor, walking over to the plasma cannon she left on the floor.

"You know… I kinda have a feeling you can talk. You just choose not to," Isabelle noted, pocketing the cannon she carried on her shoulders. "That's totally fine. I have a few friends who can't really talk, so I just try to figure out what they know by reading through their facial expressions. Mr. Mayor is one of those examples, and I grew close with him for most of his life in the quiet towns we visited. He doesn't really speak, but that's okay! I've taught myself to read other people's expressions, and judging from the way you ignored my call-outs you were part of this Khan Maykr alliance? Your armor says it all, really. Were you part of a secret group of knights?" The Slayer slowly turned his head to the right, looking down at the dog and scaring her quite a bit.

"Sorry… it's just I don't want to give you trouble," Isabelle answered, tucking her tail in-between her legs. "Lately, I've been getting bored of my life, signing papers and running town meetings when I could be spending most of my days playing outside with the other villagers, relaxing in the sun… playing at the beach… pick fruits and… not be cooped up indoors from morning to night. Even my twin brother Digsby is calling out on that. But I'm sure you wouldn't mind relaxing at my universe. You deserve a LOOOOONG break after all the countless demons you've slaughtered. Besides, to tell you the truth… I'm finding your world far more exciting than mine. It's like I'm my rebellious teenage self again, and I'm venting out all my frustrations here. Too bad I can't stay here since I have to go back after this mission. Also, I kinda noticed I remind you of… a pet you lost. Do I remind you of her?" The Slayer simply kept silent like usual, but a tear fell down his eye as a sign of compassion. He rubbed Isabelle's head, making her giggle a bit.

"Attention: emergency protocols have been activated," a facility voice spoke aloud across the ARC building. "Please exit the facility now." The elevator stopped, and the Slayer picked up Isabelle as he walked out the elevator towards the steel door at the front. The door slid open, revealing a few of the ARC workers surrounding some sort of hilt forged out of a skull and rusted bones completed with a reddened aura. One of the workers discovers the Slayer and Isabelle walking in, much to his complete hopefulness.

"My God…" the worker muttered in surprise. "Um… Dr. Hayden was convinced, um, that you would come here for this. Eventually." The DOOM Slayer approached the floating hilt, taking hold of the weapon. He gave it to Isabelle, who reluctantly took the item and placed it in her pockets. After taking the object, the Slayer walked over to the door while the same worker followed him.

"Can I just say it's an honor to meet you? Both you and… that living plushie you brought along? Why do you even- oop!" the scientist continued before tripping and landing near the metal fence. The door opened, and the Slayer continued up a flight of stairs up to a group of scientists within the ARC facility running around and trying to take the situation of the emergency protocols as calmly as possible.

The Slayer looked to his right to spot a robotic body inside some sort of machine. The torso was torn in half, along with the arms that were now nothing but webs of wires and gears. Wires were hooked to the robot, with monitors near the machine reading the life signs of the human conscience of Dr. Samuel Hayden inside that mechanical body.

"Now, we uh… don't know how to access his main cortex," the scientist operating the machinery pointed out. "It's all alien… we couldn't really figure it out. We have to prepare for his… careful extractions and we were given specific orders-" The Slayer grabbed ahold of Dr. Hayden's left arm, dragging the mutilated robot out of his life support machinery.

"His life signal is barely readable," VEGA ushered. The alarm around the facility blared loud, letting Isabelle get off the Slayer's shoulder.

"WARNING: Demonic Presence threat level 5 entering the laboratory," the facility voice spoke. Multiple scientists backed away as a red portal opened up. Stepping out of the portal was some sort of humanoid demon, with torn battle armor closely resembling the Slayer's. His skin was as pale as the cold heart beating inside him, his fingers wrapping tightly around a double-sided axe in one hand and an energetic red shield in the other. His red eyes gleamed underneath the horns he bore, seeking for vengeance against the DOOM Slayer.

"Opening the portal now," VEGA spoke, with the blue vortex appearing right behind Isabelle and the Slayer. The human soldier tossed Dr. Hayden's body into the portal, choosing to stay and fight. Isabelle was the most reliant to leave, but instead she chose to stay after she noticed the Slayer was… determined.

"You were never one of us," the demonic entity addressed to the Slayer, the red portal closing behind him as he walked towards the duo with his weapons in hand. "You were nothing but a usurper. A false idol. The eyes of this Marauder have been opened. Let me help you to see, Slayer." The Slayer cocked his shotgun, with Isabelle stepping in front of him.

"You and your leaders aren't going to harm any more of these humans!" Isabelle snapped, drawing out the crucible she was given. "Not if I have anything to say about it!" The anthropomorphic dog waited for the hilt to activate some sort of blade, her face blushing in embarrassment as she fondled with the thing and tried to activate the blade part of the crucible.

"Even this canine you constantly convince yourself is your friend cannot figure out how to activate such a dangerous weapon… at least not until I end her life as well," the Marauder noted.

"Keep telling yourself that!" Isabelle growled, placing the crucible back in her pockets and pulling out her plasma cannon. The Marauder chuckled as a horde of demons and zombies emerged from portals around the facility, surrounding the two. The Marauder dashed straight at the Slayer, swinging his axe at the human soldier with great force. This brute strength was enough to knock the Slayer back, forcing him to resort to his shotgun. The Slayer shot a bullet, but instead he was met with a powerful blast from the Marauder's ranged weapon.

"Doomguy! I'm coming!" Isabelle called out, aiming her heavy plasma cannon at the Marauder while she used her assault rifle upon the demons about to attack her. The Marauder slammed his axe for the Slayer's head, forcing the soldier to roll away. The Slayer rolled to the right and grabbed ahold of the fallen Night Sentinel's left arm and twisted it. The Marauder activated his shield at the Slayer's side, ready to strike the human soldier with a mighty axe swing before a powerful hit slammed into him back. The Marauder was knocked back by Isabelle's cannon, saving the Slayer's life.

"You're welcome!" Isabelle called out, attacking the other demons with her rifle. The DOOM Slayer fired his shotgun at the Marauder, ramming into the demonic soldier and pulling on his horns. The Marauder tried to swing his axe at him, forcing the Slayer to kick the brute away. As Isabelle was attacking the demons with a chainsaw, she pulled out the crucible and tried fondling with the weapon as a means to see what it would look like upon being completely activated.

"C'mon… How do you activate this thing?" Isabelle asked, pressing on every part of the hilt. Her paw pressed into the two eye holes of the main skull completing the weapon's design, activating a red blade filled with ancient text. Once Isabelle saw the energy blade emerge from the crucible, she quickly backed her face away from the blade, cutting through an imp's torso in the process. Surprised by what she accomplished, she slashed her blade at another demon about to attack her. She then realized that she has the power to instantly kill any physical beings, and her rebellious past took over for her once again. She began cutting her way through the demons, attacking the incoming horde that leaked into the facility. She spotted the Slayer brutally knocked down onto the floor, with the Marauder crushing the Slayer's chest below the weight of his foot.

"Now it is time to free you, Slayer," the Marauder growled, grabbing hold of his axe and aiming for the DOOM Slayer. "Free your head off your shoulders!" The next thing that happened was not the sound of the Slayer's immediate downfall but instead… the sight of widened red eyes, blood leaking out from his neck, and the faint aura glowing behind him. The Marauder didn't move in the slightest, with the pressure built up from his blood causing his head to gently slide off his neck. Just like that, the mighty Marauder dropped cold and dead. The Slayer got up to see the killer was Isabelle, who was completely petrified by what she had done. She quickly pressed the eye sockets of the skull in the crucible, deactivating the blade and inserting the weapon into her pocket.

"I guess you always can't do things alone," Isabelle chuckled. She and the Slayer looked back at the remaining demons in the laboratory, ready to attack them without any regards. The Slayer cocked his shotgun and fired at the remaining demons, leaving a trail of blood as he and Isabelle ran over to the blue portal that was open this whole time. Once the Slayer jumped in, Isabelle looked back at the Marauder's corpse. She knew there was something she had to do first in order to get back to the castle she found on Arcus. She remembered Manah required a heart from that creature. Isabelle pulled out the sack with the Aquarius symbol and walked over to the body.

She took hold of the Marauder's axe, slamming the weapon deep into the corpse's chest. With her grimy paws, the queasy Isabelle pried it wide open and dug through the ribs just to get the heart without looking at any of the organs inside the demon's body. Once she felt the arteries and veins connect themselves at the heart, Isabelle quickly pulled it out. She could feel it beating rapidly as it pumped out blood, forcing her to quickly stuff the heart into the sack and place it in her pocket. She ran back into the portal just as it was about to close, with the alarm still ringing and a few of the evacuated scientists peeking into the laboratory to see the mess the Slayer and Isabelle made here.

Having just arrived back in the fortress, the Slayer picked up Dr. Hayden's body off the floor and walked away from the control room. As the DOOM Slayer walked through the steel door in the back to hook up Dr. Hayden to the uploader located within the fortress, Isabelle took out the Marauder's heart she carried along.

"Because you two have killed all three of the Hell Priests, the consumption of Earth has been significantly halted and decreased," VEGA explained throughout the ship. "However, I have lost the whereabouts of the Khan Maykr. Dr. Hayden will be able to find her."

"Uh… Manah? Hello?" Isabelle asked, holding up the sack. "I got the heart, just like you wanted. Now can you please help me get back to Arcus?" Once the Slayer tossed Dr. Hayden into a special kind of machine to hook his mind to the ship's mainframe, time itself stopped around Isabelle.

"Took you long enough," Manah spoke in a lighthearted tone. The dog detected the mysterious young woman's presence near the control panel, tapping her fingers patiently. She performed a hand gesture at Isabelle, reminding the adorable fighter to toss her the sack. Isabelle threw the item across the control panel, and Manah caught it with accurate precision.

"Before I go leave and help your friends at the fortress you found, allow me to give you some helpful advice," Manah pointed out, slowly trekking across the room down the stairs. "That crucible you and the Slayer stole from the Armored Response Coalition: it was stolen by Dr. Hayden first. That weapon has the ability to kill a powerful beast the Khan Maykr is planning to release upon the Earth as a last resort, and there's another one like it at Argent d'Nur. She and her priests made a deal with Hell to provide them with worlds to conquer in return for the salvation of their own world… Urdak. I'm not going to be providing you with any additional information and just let Dr. Hayden do all the navigating since he knows more about this universe than I do. Just keep in mind… you're going to have to take VEGA with you. He may just be an ordinary robot for the time being, but trust me: he's going to be important."

"...I understand," Isabelle noted. "What exactly are you doing here? Don't you belong in this world?"

"We can worry about my origins later," Manah assured. "For now, go out with that god and save the world. It'll be the best you got after working inside all your life. Besides… this isn't the first realm I visited for someone like you." Isabelle nodded, and just like that, Manah disappeared without a trace. Time started to move like normal, and the Slayer walked in just as the architecture started to change drastically.

"The Khan Maykr is hiding in Urdak, with a portal to her realm located in Nekravol deep beneath the city of Hebeth," Dr. Hayden's voice echoed throughout the ship. "She does not want her ritual to be easily disturbed, for it will break the pact between her realm and Hell's as well as being the end of all life on Earth. However, getting to Hebeth itself is no easy task, for it takes process to get to the core hidden beneath the city."

"I'm afraid Dr. Hayden is right. There are no known pathways to Nekravol through Hebeth," VEGA spoke, with the Slayer heading over to one of the holographic screens and bringing out a screen of some sort of gigantic laser cannon on Phobos, one of the irregular-shaped moons orbiting Mars.

"The BFG-10000," a facility voice spoke from the monitor. "Designed by Dr. Samuel Hayden as part of the anti-demonic defense grid."

"I understand," VEGA responded with second thought. "Opening the coordinates to the BFG-10000 now."

"You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars," Dr. Hayden objected. Despite the doctor's objection, VEGA readying the portal to the base on Phobos.

"The portal is ready," VEGA spoke, with the Slayer pressing the sphere on the control panel to activate the portal.

"Urdak is the Maykr's homeworld," Dr. Hayden pointed out. "Neither human nor Sentinel has ever set foot in their dimension. You can use the Maykr's Argent factory in Nekravol to pass through the void. Once there, you will not be able to leave on your own. But VEGA can create an exit portal for you. That is why you must bring VEGA through the void with you to Urdak."

"Understood," VEGA responded. "I am detaching myself from the ship's systems… processing… total transfer to external drive complete." Out from the control panel ejected a small disc containing VEGA inside, and the Slayer grabbed it. He gave it to Isabelle, who reluctantly placed the drive into her pockets.

"VEGA is no longer connected to your ship," Dr. Hayden reminded. "I will keep the portal open to the BFG-10000 for you. Do you wish to finish anything else aboard the ship before you leave? You will not be able to return until the mission is complete." Isabelle looked ahead at the portal, aware that sooner or later she would have to return back to her friends. She checked the items she carried along inside her pockets, nodding her head with determination.

The DOOM Slayer knew what was about to happen next, and he picked up Isabelle onto his shoulder once again. The two headed through the portal, never looking back upon the fortress. They arrived a few seconds later inside one of the main control facilities on the Martian moon, gazing out of the large glass window as the Slayer walked through the sliding door.

Hostiles flew across the red planet, surrounding the moon as the UAC scientists inside the facility were assisting in protecting the BFG-10000 against the horde. The scientists trying to remain calm against the demonic invasion suddenly gazed in awe upon the iconic green armor of the DOOM Slayer himself as he walked down the room.

"It's… It's him!" one scientist exclaimed in complete fear.

"Oh my God…" another scientist gasped.

"They've overrun the lower levels!" a scientist called out from one of the speakers attached to a monitor. "Corporate says we should let them through!"

"What? Why?" a UAC scientist asked. The Slayer approached the scientist, grabbing the card attached to a ribbon around the scientist's neck. He pulled the card over to a nearby scanner, unlocking the doors and pushing a wincing scientist away as he walked through the open doors with Isabelle resting on his head. The peculiar duo walked towards a nearby elevator, where two of the UAC guards attempted to stop the intruders by gunpoint.

"Hey! Who are you!?" one of the guards snapped before he lowered his gun upon the sheer terror the DOOM Slayer brought. "You can't… be… here…" The Slayer took a weapon from the guard, and the two guards stepped aside in fear as both Isabelle and the Slayer descended down the elevator.

"The entrance to the BFG-10000 is just across this facility," Dr. Hayden spoke seconds before the mighty weapon fired, shaking the whole Martian lunar base with a powerful shockwave from the blast. "Its power might be of interest to you. Figures." As the elevator descended down the facility, the Slayer and Isabelle spotted that the humans within the base were attacked by the demons that had just invaded.

"ATTENTION: the DOOM Slayer and some kind of sentient plush dog has entered the facility," a facility voice spoke. Once the elevator stopped, the small team pulled out their weapons and fired at the demons that had just killed the humans. The Slayer equipped a special kind of freezing weapon, transforming the creatures into icy statues and the steel floor into a slide down the hall. The Slayer slid down on his back while Isabelle stood on his chest, using her assault rifle on the imps and zombies chasing after them.

WARNING: BFG-10000 is now firing," the facility voice spoke again, with a green shockwave generating from the cannon's blast. The Slayer managed to spot an emergency exit door out of the hallway, quickly grabbing onto the latch in time before the shockwave got to them. Once the base rumbled, the Slayer clenched tightly to Isabelle and braced for impact. A shaking Isabelle slid out of his arms, the bells in her bun jingling.

"I have mapped out the facilities upon Phobos," VEGA explained from Isabelle's pockets, the AI still implemented in the drive he installed himself into. "Right now, the BFG-10000 is in automatic mode, but thanks to a carefully-calculated plan we can make this work. The Slayer will head out to the BFG-10000 and wait until Isabelle activates the manual overdrive, giving the Slayer a chance to shoot a hole into Mars. Isabelle will then take one of the evacuation ships and fly through Hebeth into the core, and the Slayer will use himself as a bullet to fire himself straight into Nekravol with Isabelle."

"Uh… I guess so," Isabelle noted. "Good luck out there, Doomguy." The Slayer saluted the dog, waiting until she pressed herself tightly against the wall and prepared for the Slayer to walk outside the facility. The Slayer quickly opened the door, with the vacuum of space trying to suck him in but couldn't due to the fact his armor was protecting him. Once the door was shut and locked airtight, Isabelle's pocket began to glow as VEGA generated a blue path for her to follow.

Outside the facility, the Slayer began to gun down the demons crawling outside the base. They fell limp like ragdolls floating through space everywhere the Slayer stepped, and he showed no mercy for these creatures.

"The main entrances are locked," Dr. Hayden pointed out. "They know you are trying to get in. However, there is a hatch that leads to the facility of the BFG-10000." The Slayer blasted his freeze ray at the cacodemons and imps trying to stop him, and he paid close attention to the parts of the floor near the BFG-10000. There, he quickly found a ladder leading to the main hatch close to the cannon's head. The Slayer wasted no time climbing up the ladder towards the targeted facility.

"I tell you: that guy doesn't scare me," one of the guards protecting the BFG-10000 boasted.

"Yeah, I'd like to see him try!" a second guard scoffed. The two guards quickly pointed their guns at the hatch once they heard the Slayer breaking in, unprepared for his menacing appearance. When the Slayer crawled out, he simply did not strike the guards. Their own fear of him was enough to convince them to back away from the entrance to the BFG-10000 facility.

"I will be lowering the control panel for you now," Dr. Hayden spoke. "Remember not to fire until VEGA has alerted my systems that Isabelle has disabled the automatic protocol." The control panel of the BFG-10000 lowered, with one of the UAC guards standing there in panic

"I know he's there!" the guard responded over a speaker. "I just don't know what to do!" The guard yelped as the DOOM Slayer pushed him away, throwing him out of the control panel. Dr. Hayden activated the control panel again, which ascended up to the cannon and interlocked with the BFG-10000. The Slayer braced for impact as the gun fired at the invaders again with the safety protocols engaged, waiting until Dr. Samuel Hayden heard from VEGA that it was possible to take control of the BFG-10000.

In another part of the moon base, two guards aimed their guns at the door once they saw a glowing-red blade cut through the steel like soft butter.

"Okay, tough guy!" one guard snapped as the piece of the steel door fell. "No intruders allowed!" What completely surprised the guards then was Isabelle herself, walking into the control room.

"You're a cute little girl, aren't ya?" the second guard responded. "But we're here to kick the Slayer's ass should he give us any funny business, so why don't you run over to the… evacuation ships?" Isabelle looked up at the guards with just a simple happy expression, drawing out her crucible and activating it. Just that action alone was enough to scare the guards like kids who are afraid of the dark when they sleep.

The two guards simply stepped aside, wishing they weren't so afraid of such an adorable creature. As soon as they left her line of sight, Isabelle crawled into the control panel and began pressing a few buttons on both the holographic screens and on the counter.

"Would you like me to disable the safety protocols?" VEGA asked as Isabelle adjusted a few options on the BFG-10000.

"Yes, please!" Isabelle answered, confirming the save file to the changes.

"Understood," VEGA noted. "I will inform Dr. Hayden immediately. In the meantime, I will be relocating you to the evacuation ships." Isabelle jumped off the control panel, dashing out of the room as she followed another light path generated by the AI's drive.

"The main control panel on the BFG-10000 has been modified," Dr. Hayden reminded the Slayer. "Isabelle should be taking a ship right about now. You can fire at the surface thanks to the disabled safety protocols." The Slayer grabbed the stick controller within the small facility, pointing the BFG-10000 straight at the surface of Mars. He began pressing the red button on the controller, charging the weapon and firing straight at the red planet. A green streak flashed across the distance between Phobos and Mars, and in a flash a good chunk of the planet was blown off.

"WARNING: the Slayer has taken possession of the BFG-10000," the facility voice called out to the base's defenses as the Slayer detached the main portion of the BFG-10000 that was responsible for the energy blasts it fired. "The BFG-10000 has been removed from the cannon. The cannon will now self-destruct in exactly 30 seconds." A timer displayed on a holographic screen in red, counting down the seconds that followed.

"That cannon is a weapon, not a teleporter," Dr. Hayden reassured as the Slayer attached the main BFG-10000 energy source to his back and adjusted the controls a bit. "But since you do what you want, I'm not the one to stop you… and neither is anyone nor anything." Once the Slayer finished adjusting the controls until they were preparing to fire nothing, he climbed into the cannon shell with the intention to use himself as a bullet. The cannon fired, launching the Slayer into the depths of space one second before it exploded. The DOOM Slayer kept his eyes on the glowing core exposed on the surface of Mars, watching the ruins of Hebeth's city crumble around it.

He spotted Isabelle flying straight for the core in one of the emergency escape pods, trying her best to control it from the inside via the control panel. She tried to keep a flight course as best as she could, clearly having no experience in flying a spaceship. The Slayer fired a grappling gun at Isabelle's pod, dragging himself onto the hatch of the pod until he got a firm balance upon the ship's tail.

"I'm piloting this thing as best as I can!" Isabelle reminded her companion through a feedback in the Slayer's visor. "Best prepare for turbulence as we head to our next stop: Nekravol!" The ship began to heat up as the two warriors got closer to the Martian surface, avoiding the rubble that was flying past the escape pod. The demons that were flying around in space dive-bombed after the escape pod, trying to take down the unstoppable duo as they plan to save the world from the Khan Maykr and whatever wrath she has planned.

"Hold tight!" Isabelle exclaimed, piloting the pod off-course towards the rubble to lose the demons chasing them. However in doing so, she rammed straight into one of the rubble pieces from Mars, causing the ship to spiral down straight into the center of the planet like a leaf floating down a tree.

As the ship was falling through a brightened atmosphere within the core, the duo saw the darkened skies of the hellish citadel, with a golden symbol in the air resembling that of a pentagram. Spears and ruined towers stood erect, surrounding a large factory surrounded by floating rocks. All the leftover streaks of energy seeping from the factory seemed to funnel themselves into the top of the tower, where a golden portal burns brightly as the only star in this nightmarish realm. Isabelle was so entranced by how horrible the state of Nekravol looked that she didn't notice the pod crashed until she was knocked out cold from the impact.


"Found anything yet?" Wendy called from the hallways of the large castle.

"I'm still looking!" Larry replied, continuously knocking on the decorated walls of the humongous library. Books upon books were placed in shelves that took up a good portion of the smaller dome in the castle, and both the Villager and the Koopalings were searching through the books for some kind of secret. But even then, Bowser Jr. and his father's minions were starting to get tired.

"Remind us again why we're here?" Bowser Jr. asked the Villager as he rode in on his Koopa Clown Car. "We've been stuck here in this HUGE place when we should be off attacking the Mushroom Kingdom with our dad, and we're forced to drop our things for what? Finding your mutt?" The Villager nodded, much to the young Koopa Prince's annoyance.

"Relax, kid," Roy Koopa replied from the large door connecting the library to the halls. "We can meet up with your dad when we're done here."

"Yeah!" Ludwig responded.

"Well, I'm tired of waiting around for nothing," Bowser Jr. objected. "I'm heading back to the Mushroom Kingdom if it's the last thing I do!" While Bowser Jr. was complaining about what he and the Koopalings had to do, an invisible Manah snuck past Morton Koopa Jr. when he wasn't looking. She pulled out a book she chose next to Morton, wiping away the dust on the old book. She then tapped Morton's shoulder and laid the book she picked before she vanished.

"What the-?" Morton asked. Who's there? Woah!" Morton stumbled and fell upon the book, suddenly recognizing the lettering on the spine even though he couldn't really read.

"Hey, guys!" Morton called out to the Koopalings and Villager. "I found something… I think…" The fighters and the Koopalings went down to Morton, who was rubbing his toe after he stubbed and tripped on it.

"I thought there was a ghost in this library, and then I fell flat on my face from this thing!" Morton growled, picking up the book he tripped over. The Villager's eyes widened in surprise when he noticed that there was something glowing behind the cover. He quickly pocketed the book before pulling it up again, staring upon pages and pages worth of enigmatic alien code moving vertically and horizontally upon bright blue paper. The alien language had letters similar to the ones identified from the Earth Citrine and the gate with Taurus, but most of them were unrecognizable for the time being.

"What is this?" Iggy asked. "What's code like that doing inside a book like this?"

"Beats us," Lemmy answered. "But I guess we'll have to figure out how to use the code until then…" While the Villager and the Koopalings were trying to identify the countless strands of code, the invisible Manah pulled away a carpet covering the floor and fondled the handle on the trapdoor hidden underneath the cloth. The fighters heard the sound and instantly spotted the hatch, with the carpet tucked away somewhere safe.

"Should we…?" Bowser Jr. asked. The Villager and the Koopalings nodded, opening the hatch of the trapdoor. The young mayor of Smashville turned on the LED lantern he had in his inventory this whole time, treading down the stone stairs deep into the floor.

"I'm gonna be following him, just to be safe," Bowser Jr. told the Koopalings, piloting his Koopa Clown Car down the stairs. The two fighters made their way down the stairs, and the Villager admired the architecture within the stone. Like the dragons decorating the mosaics, pillars supporting the corners of the cell had small, wingless beasts carved into them. There was nothing but a wooden table in the center of the room, with a stand covered in an alien language. This language was the exact same font as used in the book, but Villager and Bowser Jr. didn't know that yet.

The Villager took out the book, looking through the code in the pages. He couldn't exactly identify it either, but perhaps he was supposed to place that book on the stand. Once the young mayor did just that, he backed away only to find out it had no effect.

"Alright, can we go now?" Bowser Jr. asked. "I don't wanna waste any more time, and Dad might put me in curfew if I don't get back." The room began to brighten, flashing with a deep cyan blue. The Villager and Bowser Jr. spotted the book the young mayor placed down float in the air and rapidly flip through the pages as though some unknown force was at play. The book then remained open, with four of the ancient letters the Earth Citrine used slowly translating themselves to "Doom."

"Doom?" Bowser Jr. asked as the Villager walked up to the book. It was just close enough for the mayor of Smashville to touch the glowing pages. This sent off a spark of energy throughout the small room, and around the walls texts and historical images were projected onto the walls.

"Well, hello. 'In the beginning of time, the planet of Argent d'Nur was impaled by a giant cosmic spear of stone and ice, giving rise to the Call of the Wraiths and, with the first Ancestrals, the beginning of mankind's existence,'" Bowser Jr. read the text aloud, amazed by how deep this rich and complicated history was as he trailed off. He drove his Koopa Clown Car over to another wall, reading the text from there as well.

"'The Argenta and the Order Deag would later make contact with the Khan Maykr and her people, establishing peace between the races in return for a great civilization. This society of Argent d'Nur and the Night Sentinels expanded across the galaxy with the promises of eternal happiness within Urdak, the home of the Maykr,'" Bowser Jr. continued as he kept reading. "'One faithful day, a simple human soldier arrived from the future, bringing with him the forces of Hell. The Night Sentinels, upon defeating the demonic forces at Taras Nabad, discovered the Argent energy.' Wow. This history goes deep. Hey, guys! You gotta come and see this!" The Koopalings heard the young prince from up the stairs, driving their Koopa Clown Cars down into the dark room.

"Oh my… it's beautiful!" Wendy ejaculated upon seeing this rich history. "What happened here?"

"Looks like we can stay here for a while longer and see if this is the world Isabelle was sucked into," Bowser Jr. told the Koopalings. "To answer your question, the kid over there placed the book on some magic stand and… well, we've got ourselves a history text on what Isabelle got herself into."

"Hm… 'However, as the Night Sentinels traveled through the bowels of Hell into the citadel of Nekravol located deep within the core of Mars, what they saw disgusted them greatly,'" Ludwig read aloud as his eyes skimmed across the text. "'The Argent energy was processed through the suffering of humans as they were dragged from their planets and sapped of their souls until they were corrupted into demons. Those unfit to provide, according to the Evulsor, were discarded into the Blood Swamps. Those Night Sentinels turned against the Order Deag through disgust, and a civil war ensued. One of the Sentinels, Valen, was compelled by the torment of his son to give the Order Deag access to the Wraiths, cursed and renamed the Betrayer. Furthermore, his son was later corrupted into the greatest Titan in the galaxy… a killing machine that would eradicate all life on a planet should he be given the chance: the Icon of Sin.'"

"Hey, look! There's more to the story over here!" Larry pointed out. "'Around that time, the human soldier who arrived in Argent d'Nur was appointed a Sentinel as he proved his worth in the ongoing battle against Hell, and a rogue deity known as the Seraph helped enhance his abilities… transforming the human into the DOOM Slayer."

"There's so much info here, even the time when the demons trapped the Slayer in a tomb within Hebeth and he woke up after who knows how long by a… Dr. Samuel Hayden…" Iggy noted. "But it still doesn't solve trying to get back to Isabelle." The Villager touched the pages again, generating a wall of text as the letters jumbled around. The open book laid down on the stand, generating a holographic image of the fortress itself. It zoomed in on the platform found within the garden: the exact same one Isabelle entered. There was also an image of a lunar eclipse, with a stick figure holding the exact same book and reflecting the light of the blood moon on the pages like a mirror at the platform connected to the world this rich history came from.

"Hm… looks like we're gonna have to climb up to the highest part of the fortress and use that book as some sort of mirror, angling the light of the blood moon upon the platform where Isabelle entered into that realm with the demons and crap," Ludwig explained after looking over the holographic scenario. "Hey, Junior. When do you think these lunar eclipses occur?"

"I'm not really sure," Bowser Jr. replied. "Maybe once or twice a month… I think… one's supposed to happen tonight, from what I've heard."

"I think I've seen the sky get a bit darker minutes ago," Roy Koopa reminded. "We better hurry to the top and see if this works or not…" The Villager nodded, grabbing the book and running up the stairs with the Koopalings and Bowser Jr. following after him.


Isabelle slowly opened up her eyes to the sight of a glowing pillar of white. She clearly lost her consciousness after she crashed the escape pod near Nekravol, and her lightweight body was not enough to keep her awake after the crash… until she found herself resting on the cold floor with her head supported by a pillar. Isabelle heard the head of a Marauder roll next to her, and she backed away in frightened disgust. She then looked up to see the Slayer, offering his hand to help her up.

"You've been out cold for a while," Dr. Hayden explained as the anthropomorphic dog latched her paws onto the Slayer's fingers. "I had just finished explaining to the Slayer how the factory works, as well as led you two to the portal to Urdak. It wasn't an easy process to activate it. While you were unconscious, the DOOM Slayer had to fight six Marauders that were guarding the Unmaykr, a divine weapon given to the demons to guard, and the most important item in our fight: the Crucible he used to kill a Titan in Argent d'Nur from his time as a Sentinel. This item is obligatory in our mission to stop the Khan Maykr and the Icon of Sin, saving our world as we destroy hers. You should've been awake to witness the fight. It was quite difficult for the Slayer." Isabelle looked both places around the part of the factory, smelling the decaying blood and bile leaking from the mutilated bodies of the Marauders across the steel floor. She gazed up into the sky and saw the light beam touching the pentagram in the red clouds, thunder roaring as the Argent energy harvested from the human bodies strapped to the sacrificial tables ascended high into the air like wisps of smoke.

"Let's go kick some demon butt then," Isabelle spoke with confidence. "Give me the best weapon you've got!" The Slayer pulled out some sort of divine weapon, a unique blend of Maykr technology and Sentinel weaponry - the Unmaykr. She cocked the gun as the Slayer pulled out a Crucible of his own. It was forged out of steel, bearing the Mark of the Beast as its emblem. A red glow generated from the blade that popped out, with an ancient text of Argent d'Nur inscribed upon it. The iconic duo went into the realm of Urdak through the portal of light.

They continued walking down even after the portal back to Nekravol vanished, fueled by the determination necessary to forever cut off Hell from Earth. The halls within the Urdak citadel were forged out of an architecture never before seen by human eyes, a place that struck both hope and fear into anyone of the mortal realm who dared enter. There was a lift just up ahead, leading up to an open door where tongues of an incomprehensible language changed for the Icon of Sin to arise.

"It's ironic, really: the only thing that can destroy your world… is the one that will help you save it," Dr. Hayden spoke to the Slayer. "The Khan Maykr is planning to control the Icon of Sin to destroy all life on your planet through his heart: the one he used to have during his time as an Argenta. Once you disrupt the ritual by stabbing the heart with the dagger from Valen the Betrayer, the pact between the Maykr and the demons will be broken, resulting in a fatal war between both sides. The Betrayer's son will break free into our world as a result of the disruption. The longer the Icon of Sin is on Earth, the stronger he will become. VEGA will assist in keeping the portal back to the planet open, and only with the Crucible can you slay the Titan. However, the Crucible must be embedded in its body once you destroy the armor and stab it, otherwise it will rise again and end all life on Earth."

The duo walked on the lift, with the Slayer activating its ascension with a press of a button on a pedestal. The lift moved up fast, and the DOOM Slayer and Isabelle walked in during the ritual. Armless beings were surrounding a heart protected by a golden orb, with the Khan Maykr keeping watch over a titanic creature by their side. The dormant beast was so huge that you couldn't see the body below the chest, covered in an amalgamation of green Sentinel armor and the pure manifestation of Hell itself. The Khan Maykr had already sensed the duo would make their way here, still determined to bring the world to extinction.

"You cannot stop this war," the Khan Maykr spoke as the Slayer and Isabelle walked towards the heart. "Our world is dying. Earth must be cleansed." The Slayer didn't really listen, and he pulled out the Betrayer's dagger as the praying Maykr did nothing to stop it.

"You will not leave this place alive!" the Khan Maykr cried, outstretching her hand to stop the DOOM Slayer from stabbing the heart. She was quickly attacked by Isabelle's Unmaykr, who was shooting the triple-shot rapid-fire weapon straight at the orb in her chest. The smaller Maykr backed away in fear once the Slayer stabbed the Icon of Sin's heart. The organ began to beat rapidly from the pain of the dagger stabbing right through the orb and the muscle tissue, awakening the Icon of Sin. The colossal beast absorbed the energy of all the Maykr in the room, roaring a terrifying bellow as it opened a portal to Earth and entered through it. Just outside, the demons grew angry at the Maykr within the realm and began attacking. The Khan Maykr cast a shockwave of light, knocking Isabelle and her weapon down to the ground as the Maykr flew out of the ritual room.

"Thanks to you, the Icon of Sin is free of our control and will destroy all worlds as we know it!" the Khan Maykr snapped as the Icon of Sin pushed the floating floor away as it marched through the portal. Both the Slayer and Isabelle were falling down into an empty abyss, but the human soldier quickly spotted another floor within the citadel and grabbed Isabelle. He shot his grappling gun at the floor, pulling the two up as Isabelle cast her fishing rod and caught the Unmaykr in time. The Slayer drew out the BFG-10000, attacking the demons and the Maykr within the citadel.

"There is a portal that will take you straight to the control facility, but the Khan Maykr will do whatever she can to stop you," Dr. Hayden explained. "I will reconfigure a path to the portal now." The DOOM Slayer looked up and saw a green portal high on the ceiling, and a red path of Dr. Hayden's work mapped out a parkour strategy to the portal.

"C'mon! You wanna piece of me!?" Isabelle asked as she continuously fired at the cyborg demons and Maykr that tried to attack them. The Slayer picked her up and planted her on his right shoulder, allowing her to keep attacking the supernatural creatures from a mid-distance. The Slayer grabbed onto the walls and jumped upon the platforms, with Isabelle clinging onto the armor and the Unmaykr for dear life. It didn't take long before the Slayer jumped through the green portal and onto a platform, activating the button on the pedestal and slamming it down, kicking it into overdrive. The platform moved, dashing towards a floating island where the Icon of Sin was spotted before he vanished through a red portal that disappeared shortly after he left Urdak.

"The Icon of Sin has already used the location of Earth," Dr. Hayden explained. "From there, he will arrive at Earth and grow stronger unless you activate the Celestial Rings-"

"Alright, we get it!" Isabelle interrupted, pulling out the Unmaykr and shooting at the cacodemons and Maykr that tried to attack the duo. "We use VEGA to reopen the portal, and we aim it at Earth and kill the Icon of Sin there… right?" Just when the platform got near the floating island, the Khan Maykr teleported from behind, unleashing a powerful blast and knocking both the Slayer and Isabelle off. The Slayer landed on the architecture of the place while Isabelle crashed through the window straight into another Maykr.

"For millennia, we have survived," the Khan Maykr explained while she floated above the DOOM Slayer as he pushed himself off the futuristic floor. "Made others sacrifice in the name of our prosperity - so that they may in turn find redemption. This game of yours has gone on for far enough! Who are you two, a human and a canine, to defy our traditions and bend the rules to your wills?" The Khan Maykr clenched her chest, spreading open a pair of golden wings that gleamed from the thunderstorm behind her. The Slayer charged up his BFG-10000, ready to attack her once that orb on her chest is broken.

Isabelle quickly pulled out the angelic weapon and fired it at the Maykr that she landed into, gazing upon the chaos going on in the fight outside the facility. She watched as between the Maykr and the demons, the Slayer attacked the Khan Maykr with his BFG-10000. He was quickly dodging her pillars of light and barrage of magic missiles, sending a green blast straight for her orb and punching it as a result. Isabelle managed to spot a nearby room right next to where she landed. It was a glowing-cyan control panel that was completely empty, almost as if it needed a key to be activated.

Isabelle slipped into the room and pulled out VEGA, which was still inside the drive. She was completely aware that the AI was necessary to reconfigure the first Celestial Gate.

"Goodbye, VEGA," Isabelle sighed, aware that he couldn't necessarily feel human emotions.

"I understand how you must feel having to use me to open the portal as I stay here, but it is necessary to save the Slayer's Earth," VEGA responded. Isabelle nodded, placing the drive into the keyhole.

"System acquired," VEGA finished as it activated the control panel. "Setting a course for the Earth dimension now. I can… see now… am I The Father, Dr. Hayden?" Isabelle pressed the button, watching a gigantic cyan ring in the sky move horizontally as it aligned in front of the floating island.

The Khan Maykr was so focused on killing the Slayer that she didn't notice the tiny dog running through the control facility on the island as well as the large Celestial Gate in the Urdak horizon. Pieces of her armor were falling off as her orb was attacked, revealing oozing tentacles and pulsing flesh underneath that exoskeleton of hers.

Isabelle ran through the facility, attacking more of the demons that got in her way. It was clear that she may be calm for the time being, but she was a force to be reckoned with. All this demon-killing got to her head, and she was ready to mow them down. She quickly moved to another room on her right, which had a glowing-yellow control panel. She chopped down a cacodemon waiting for her in there and she pressed the button, aligning the yellow Celestial Gate in front of the cyan ring.

"Only one more room…" Isabelle growled, dashing out of the room with a chainsaw in hand as she attacked the Maykr trying to stop her from advancing down the facility. Isabelle ran as fast as she could before she got to the last room within the facility. This time, the control panel was of a violet color, and she did not hesitate smashing the button to align the third Celestial Gate.

"No…" the Khan Maykr whispered in disbelief as she watched the Celestial Gates align in a perfect single-file line. Her armor was already weakened to the point where she was about to fall apart. She gasped as the Slayer slammed his fist into the orb on her chest, creating a massive dent within it. Soon enough, the Slayer landed on a platform untouched by the lava now rising above the island. He cocked his BFG-10000 and continued the fight.


On top of the large dome within the fortress, there was a watchtower poking out on the top. Its roof was constructed out of holly blue agate, glimmering of the light of the moon in the sky as it began to turn into a tint of red. The Villager emerged out from the open window and crawled out onto the roof. He opened the book where he got all the information of Argent d'Nur and tried angling the open pages.

"Got anything yet?" Bowser Jr. asked as he poked his head out the window. "It's okay. Take your time." The Villager kept an eye on the moonlight projected onto the garden wall, spotting the golden tint as he adjusted the book a bit. He slowly guided the moonlight towards the platform where he was certain that Isabelle vanished off to.

"You sure this is gonna work?" Lemmy asked as he too poked his head out the window.

"It's got to… right?" Bowser Jr. replied.


As the thunderstorm rolled up in the sky, the Khan Maykr lay on the desolated island in defeat. Her face was dismantled and rotten from the radiant face she once had. Her brain was covered in glass shards and her wings torn apart. The Khan Maykr's armor crackled with golden electricity, the orb on her chest near the point of destruction. In her dying breath, she watched the DOOM Slayer approach her with the Slayer Crucible hilt in his grip.

"You have destroyed all that I was meant to rule, and all just to protect them… mere servants to our beliefs!" the Khan Maykr winced in a distorted voice as she gazed upon the Slayer in horror and anger with golden eyes. "You… have broken the holy seal of Urdak! Your transgressions here will jeopardize all of creation…" Before she powered down, she saw the tiny dog that she once thought of as a mere laughingstock run out of the Celestial Gate activation facility towards the Slayer.

"Heh heh… as for the creature you call a friend… where she comes from, she is special," the Khan Maykr continued, pointing her finger at Isabelle and focusing all she had left to say to her. "Oh yes… by the way she fought, she has a power unlike any other. And there are far more just like her… the ones she's trying to get back to. I… was just too blind to see it… Like the dog, they all have a power that exceeds even my own abilities, but it won't awaken to its true potential just yet. I have heard the tales of this universe's creation… how the last remnant… of the Goddess of Insanity… is building up an army of his own. From now on… everything you encounter, everything you have ever done, every maniacal jester who stands in your way… it will be all according to his plan…" The angelic being rolled over onto her back, weakly laughing her last breath as she gave up her life. The orb emerged from her chest, shooting straight into the sky and exploring in a cloud of golden dust.

"Nooooooooooooo!" an ominous, masculine voice echoed throughout Urdak. It was clearly mysterious and unknown to Isabelle, and not just the voice. It was what the Khan Maykr said in her dying breath. What did she mean of the "building an army" part? What did it mean that everything they did was leading up to his moment? Who was the guy the Khan Maykr was talking about? So many questions buzzed in Isabelle's mind that just the word jester stuck to her mind like cotton candy. But the Slayer didn't really care for that as he grabbed a confused Isabelle and ran straight ahead into a beacon from the Celestial Gates back to Earth to defeat the Icon of Sin once and for all.

Thunder roared across the skies of Earth upon the arrival of the Icon of Sin, his roar deafening the ruined city and bringing forth an onslaught of demons upon the destruction of the skyscrapers. Within the hurricane, he sensed the presence of the DOOM Slayer with Crucible in hand. The Icon of Sin crawled up the building where the Slayer and Isabelle teleported onto. The skyscraper rumbled as the titanic demon finished climbing, snarling at the human soldier and his canine companion.

"Now is the time two Titans meet… as it was written," Dr. Hayden stated. "Attack every part of its armor and leave it exposed for the Crucible's kill." The Icon of Sin bellowed as he smashed through the building, attempting to crush the Slayer and Isabelle.

The dog cocked her Unmaykr and rapidly fired at the Icon of Sin's hand. The Slayer pulled out his Crucible, slashing through whatever type of demon tried to attack him. A pentagram appeared on the Icon of Sin's head, summoning a barrage of fireballs at Isabelle as she quickly jumped out of the way. More demons spawned in front of her, but her primal instincts took over as she instantly gunned them down. The Slayer fired his BFG-10000 at the Titan's head, shattering the armor instantly and exposing the red skin underneath. Shortly after, Isabelle continued shooting her Unmaykr at the other parts of the colossal demon's armor while the Slayer cleared the place full of the monsters that tried to kill them.

The fight was long and tortuous, involving the Slayer attacking a few demons to get the ammo necessary to assist Isabelle in gunning the armor down, and vice versa. The parts covering the chest, arms, and hands were. With the last piece of armor destroyed at the stomach, the naked Icon of Sin marched off to another building where he could resume his onslaught.

"Quickly. With its armor fully destroyed, the body is now exposed," Dr. Hayden explained, with a blue portal opening up next to the Slayer and Isabelle. "Take the portal and finish the fight."

"Let's get this guy until your world is saved!" Isabelle shouted, filling up her Unmaykr with fuel before she ran in with the DOOM Slayer. The two arrived at another building where the Icon of Sin confronted them once more. Jets of flames emerged from the Titan's hands, burning through the open windows. The Slayer pulled out the BFG-10000 and fired, hitting the hand and revealing muscles underneath the thick skin. Isabelle was busy slaughtering the tyrants and whiplashes that threatened to hunt down the Slayer, unaware of what Isabelle can do.

Deafening roars echoed across the city once the Slayer pulled out a special plasma minigun and gunned down some more of the flesh at the right side of the chest. Isabelle made sure she avoided the Icon of Sin as a whole while he set his eyes on the Slayer without knowing his left hand was being gunned down by a puppy wielding an angelic weapon.

The fight seemed to go on longer than anticipated, for it was a long struggle to just get almost all the flesh off the Icon of Sin while having to deal with the most powerful demons Hell had to offer. Isabelle fired her gun straight at the head, waiting patiently for the Slayer to get ready to deal the finishing blow with his Crucible. Hellfire began to rain down from high above, and the Marauders were closing in on the two. Isabelle was suddenly hit by a powerful punch from the Icon of Sin, whose mighty power was enough to shake the skyscraper in general. Three Marauders were closing in on the Slayer, and as he attacked two with his Crucible the third one swung his axe and knocked it out of the Slayer's hand. The legendary weapon was knocked off the skyscraper, falling far from the fight until the Slayer Crucible was gone… forever.

Isabelle quickly got up after the collision just in time to see the Slayer utterly defeated. It took her a few seconds worth of time to recognize that the Slayer lost an important item to the mission. She saw a sign of vulnerability within him, letting her know not everyone is a god. The Slayer cocked his BFG-10000, shooting the Marauder in the head. He looked up at the sky to see a large hand from the Icon of Sin about to crush him. He knew he had a good run after all these years. The titanic creature then flinched upon its flesh being blown off its face. The DOOM Slayer quickly observed the tiny dog firing the Unmaykr at the Icon of Sin, looking at the human soldier with determination in her eyes.

"You don't have to do this alone," Isabelle explained, reaching into her pockets to pull out the second Crucible taken from the ARC compound earlier. "Now rip and tear until it's done!" The DOOM Slayer caught the second Crucible, activating the blade and rushing forward with the weapon towards the Icon of Sin. The massive demon gave out a roar of defeat as the Slayer jumped high into the air and stabbed the Icon of Sin in the now-exposed brain. He buried the weapon deep within the nerve organ, snapping off the hilt with enough force until just the blade was embedded. The human soldier jumped off the Titan's head, landing back onto the desolated skyscraper next to Isabelle as they both watched the Icon of Sin give out one final roar. Electricity struck all throughout the demon's body, its exposed body of bleeding flesh and bone pulsing with blue veins as its head crashed down on the skyscraper. The Icon of Sin, having fallen at the hands of a mortal and his animal companion, fell deep into the abyss of the city down below.

The Slayer looked back at Isabelle, who was sitting down on the concrete floor with a look of satisfaction and exhaustion on her tired face. He then discovered that Isabelle was slowly glowing blue, her body starting to become brighter by the second.

"Looks like I'm gonna be going now," Isabelle sighed, watching as the skies cleared above. "Despite how miserable this place looks, I gotta say: I had a REALLY fun time here. Best vacation I've ever gotten. But in all honesty, I'm gonna miss you. I hope we can meet again in the future." The Slayer knelt down in front of her, rubbing her head and making her smile. She returned the kind act with a hug around his waist, much to the Slayer's surprise.

"Thanks for the fun times… Doomguy," Isabelle finished with a smile in her heart, vanishing in a bright flash of blue before disappearing from the Slayer's life.


Within the main hall of the castle located in Arcus, the same white-haired Dante walked in on the building once the sun went down. He gazed at the place, admiring the architecture and scenery it had to offer. Dante spotted the door to the garden, and he quickly opened it and stepped outside.

"Oh my… this place looks beautiful," Dante sighed, breathing in the fresh air most prominent in the garden. "Just look at the islands and… Hey, what are you guys doing up there?" The Devil Hunter had just caught eyes of a red light upon the disabled platform, and he looked up to see the Villager and the Koopalings on the roof.

"Apparently, Isabelle disappeared on one of those platforms, and we're kinda speeding up time here during the blood moon," Wendy answered as loud as he could. "Tell us if anything's working!" Dante looked back on the same platform bathed in the redirected light, only to find out it was slowly ascending into the air with a glowing-blue vortex in it.

"Something's happening!" Dante answered. "Keep that little flashlight thingamajig on the platform!" The blue light from the vortex brightened, and soon enough the platform descended onto the island. Isabelle was sitting on the platform, looking completely different than how she first left. Her hair bun was a complete mess, and so were her clothes. She smelled of dried blood and dirt, with dark circles hidden below her eyes as a sign of fatigue and exhaustion.

"Well, hello," Dante said. "How was your day? Okay, guys! Your dog's back!"

"Who? Isabelle?" Bowser Jr. called out. "The Villager's on his phone right now, and he's texting Mega Man, Simon, and Pit about what just happened. Just a little heads up!"

"Evening… Dante," Isabelle spoke, trying to stand up.

"Where have you been all day?" Dante asked. "You've been gone without ever telling anybody, and… let me guess: you were fighting demons, weren't you?"

"How could you tell?" Isabelle questioned.

"I spent my whole life knowing demon blood just from the smell," Dante answered. "And dammit: I wanted to go to that world. Any details?"

"Something something Khan Maykr, Hell Priests, Dr. Samuel Hayden… and there's this guy I became BFFs with. They call him the DOOM Slayer."

"Sounds really interesting," Dante chuckled, stepping aside as Isabelle walked past him. "Mind taking me there sometime?"

"Maybe someday," Isabelle replied. "Right now, I gotta have a nice long bath and sleep. That's all that matters tonight."


A portal about to take the Slayer back to his ship opened, and the Slayer was walking towards it. He knew he did a good job at saving the world, and he was ready to disappear once again. As he walked away, he heard the voice of the mythical King Novik speak to him.

...and you will be their savior, your strength will be their shield, and your will… their sword. You remain… unbroken… for your fight… is eternal.

Chapter 96: The Rarest Sapphire

Summary:

Upon waking up, the girl that was unconscious escapes with the Earth Citrine during the stone's influence in the blood moon. Questions are raised with most still remaining a mystery. As for Mephiles... let's just say there's a circus of maniacal jesters that he has planned...

Chapter Text

A heart began to beat within the dark… slowly and quietly.

The girl that was frozen within the crystals heard the drums of the planets beat around her, slowly shedding away the darkness.

How long was she out? It mattered not.

She needed to find the truth of what happened around her.

The girl heard the drumming beating louder across every planet that slowly orbited around her.

She felt the beating heart inside her pumping louder and faster. Her eyes opened to reveal eyes of deep garnet, which glimmered like jewels as she saw a star float right towards her. The girl was in complete paralysis at the time, and all she could do was watch the star dance right in front of her. It then flashed a bright orange, blinding her completely.

The girl sat up straight on the bed, gasping for breath as though she never took in fresh air after being submerged in water for a long time. She could feel something wrap around her, but it wasn't exactly what. Her nerves were beginning to swim, slowly but surely kicking themselves back to normal as best as they could. All she saw was a blurred vision surrounded by a tunnel of orange light.

She unknowingly tumbled out of the hospital bed she was hooked up to, numbingly feeling something attached to her arm. Her head throbbed with a loud ring as she tugged hard and painfully pulled away. The girl stood up for the first time in ages, fumbling as the blue slippers on her feet tried to fall off every step she took. Her blurry eyes gazed upon the light of a deep-red moon behind the small window, with the orange light surrounding her vision growing brighter.

The next thing she saw was fire across a lifeless battlefield wherever she stepped. She could barely feel the door opening all on its own, and she landed flat on her face as a result. Something was calling out to her, and she had to find out what. As soon as she entered another room, she saw it.

There, glimmering in the darkness, was the star she saw in her dream. Except it was somehow real at the same time. She saw a hand holding that star in place, and the face of the individual was completely blurred out within the darkness. She heard the blurred face mumble in random nonsense that sounded like it was trying to tell her something, but she didn't know what. All she could hear as she reached for the stone was muffled sounds of concern and warning. Her world then went dark as she numbly felt her hands push away the individual and grab the star.

Everything else was just a blank after that.


Three figures covered in white flashed within the transporter on the Legacy, each one completely tired as though they worked the night shift. They just so happened to be Mega Man, Simon, and Pit, who were all tired after having to work for Isabelle when she disappeared.

"What a night," Mega Man sighed, his eyes flashing with the blue screen of death for a few seconds before he quickly recovered. "Who knew we had to work hard, even after Isabelle came back?"

"And didn't the Villager say something about giving us his phone before we left?" Pit asked.

"I think it could probably be a misspelling…" Simon answered. "As far as I could tell, we had to use Isabelle's… 'phawn' to answer."

"Wait… can you two stop moving…?" Mega Man asked the other two, placing his hand on Pit's chest. "I think I see something in that hallway over there…"

"Is that…?" Simon questioned shortly before the angel interrupted him.

"Rocks!? Oh no… Link!" Pit exclaimed with a bad feeling about the Champion of Hyrule, pushing the Belmont family member and Rockman aside and running down towards one of the hallways where he heard the painful breathing. Mega Man and Simon followed after the angel, stopping when they saw a complete mess that spilled out one of the rooms. Papers and a broken chair were against the wall, and a pile of rocks were scattered across the small room. Research equipment was crushed by the boulders, and comforting the unconscious trophy of Link within the rubble was Pit.

"Okay, okay," Pit hyperventilated, pulling out the trophy from the rocks. "Just relax. Hope you've retained all your memories and just… tell us what happened, Link." The angel touched the golden base of the trophy, and a bright flash illuminated the room. The Hylian was brought back from his immobile state, falling limp upon the pile of rocks.

"Oh my God… Link, are you okay?" Mega Man anxiously asked, holding the Hylian warrior's shoulders with the utmost care. "What happened last night?"

"The… the girl…" Link groaned, trying to open up his eyes after getting a nasty concussion from the events of last night. "The Earth Citrine… she took it…"

"Concentrate, Link!" Simon responded, kneeling close to the Champion of Hyrule. "Let us give you some space, and you can tell us all you know." The three fighters moved away from Link, by which he tried readjusting his position upon the rubble.

"...I think it's all coming back to me," Link answered as he held his head up with his hand. "It all started back at the multiple acres between Civiltatula and that fortress the Villager and Isabelle discovered. Aside from the Miis, Wii Fit, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, the Ice Climbers, and Sonic, I was pretty much the only one alone on the planet. Everyone else was off in their own worlds, taking care of businesses of their own. At least… I thought I was alone…"


*Several hours ago…

Link was walking on a path where a small cliff dipped down to a beach, and he was watching the setting sun over the horizon. He began to look down at his own hands, wondering what prompted him to change into this new outfit. A light blue that went against the traditional green all of his past reincarnations wore. Zelda and Ganondorf, the only people he knew were from the same timeline as him, are now completely separated from him mainly because of what they chose to wear. Is the reason why they went off to separate dimensions related to a simple fashion choice, or was it something else?

"Whatcha doing out here late at night?" a familiar voice asked. Link jumped at the sound, and he quickly looked behind to see none other than Cloud Strife behind him.

"Cloud!" Link replied with a bit of aftershock in his voice. "I… I wasn't expecting you here as well. Aren't you supposed to be back at your homeworld like the others?"

"Things have gotten quite sleepy at my corner of the multiverse as of late," Cloud sighed, rubbing the back of his head with his hand. "How about yours? Does it fall under the same 'curse' mine does?"

"If you're talking about how there hasn't been anything involving Ganondorf due to a platonic relationship established between him, me, and Zelda here in this world… then I guess so," Link answered with a bit of laughter in his voice, with Cloud chuckling along with the Champion of Hyrule.

"Platonic relationship?" Cloud asked with some form of entertainment in his voice. "Is that the reason your timeline's quiet?"

"Well, there's this thing involving me and Zelda - the Zelda I'm stuck in the same timeline with, not the one from the Twilight Princess timeline - it's basically rebuilding the lost kingdom of Hyrule," Link responded. "...Cloud, do you still think it was a mistake changing in clothes from a timeline I have no knowledge of?"

"I don't know, to be honest," Cloud Strife answered. "Whatever crazy rules this place comes up on the fly, you'll have to accept it for better or for worse. That's just how life is."

"Ah… I see. Well, anything else you'd like to talk about, Cloud?"

"Hm… probably how awesome the moon looks tonight. I like how red it is. Beautiful…" The two blond-haired swordsmen gazed across the ocean, watching the full moon glow a deep red. Cloud Strife gazed upon the natural satellite, his blue eyes filled with wonder.

"Did you know this planet has two moons, and they're both locked in a binary orbit?" Cloud asked with a random fact. "They share the same course around Arcus as it rotates around the sun, and they're always parallel to each other. Some stories going around recently say the first humans that colonized this planet went to explore the moons and found that each one is like a seed within their opposing colors of light and dark. It reminds us of the philosophy that one can't exist without the other… kinda like yin and yang. That moon right there is supposed to be that seed of light within the darkness, and the same goes for the satellite on the other side of the planet."

"R-Really?" Link asked. "How do you know this?"

"When you live in a village of talking animals for ten years, you often go exploring for a while and find some interesting stuff," Cloud answered, placing his hands behind his head and just taking things easy. "Hey, Link. Are you okay?" The Champion of Hyrule stared at the blood moon with a feeling of uneasiness. He felt as though his blood began to churn, gazing upon the moon in the night sky.

"Yeah… I'm fine," Link lied, feeling a bit of a bulge in his throat.

"No, you're not," Cloud sighed, aware that Link was looking at the moon in its current state as though it was a bad omen.

"It's just… every time I look at the moon, it reminds me of a sign of terrible things to come," the Hylian responded. "I've heard of a realm different from Hyrule that was about to end from the moon about to crash upon their world in just three days from a cackling demon. I think Young Link experienced something like that. I don't know. As for me… in the Hyrule I ended up in, a blood moon occurs once in a while, and every monster I've killed returns to flesh."

"Ah, geez," Cloud Strife sighed with a chuckle in his voice. "I've had bad omens in my part of the universe too, mainly involving JENOVA, her son Sephiroth, and his Meteor spell. All three that I and my friends took care of in the past. Anybody helped you out when your land was in danger?"

"Last I remember, I had a fairy who calls herself Navi and Midna, the Twilight Princess," Link answered, looking at the slate attached to his waist. "Now I just have… this thing: the Sheikah Slate. I don't remember when I got it or… how I learned how to use it and become a master at this kind of technology, let alone fight with my right hand. It must've been one last spark of the Master Hand's magic before we went off to continue the mission."

"Hm… well, for what it's worth I like the new look," Cloud noted with a small smile on his face.

"You mean it?" Link asked, his face a bit red from how the 1st-class SOLDIER complimented his clothing and design choice.

"Sure, why not?" Cloud answered, still looking at the blood moon while the Hylian stared at Cloud from behind. "I mean if that's what the world wants, that's what the world wants. But I'm not complaining. You were probably separated from the buddies you made in alternate timelines mainly because of your duties, and I've got duties of my own too. I guess you're not the only one with a lot on your mind."

"Yeah, you're probably right," Link responded. "Anyways, I have to go and research this Earth Citrine more. I wanna try studying how this thing works without being fused to the other stones, and since Mega Man's gone right now, I guess it's up to me to research this thing and… check on the sleeping girl."

"Interesting," Cloud answered before shifting his next sentence towards a question. "Mind if I help? I kinda noticed work like this isn't something you can do alone."

"I'm fine," Link replied, keeping his eyes on Cloud. "This is basically professional work, meaning you might get into an accident or something."

"...I understand," Cloud Strife sighed, looking away from the blood moon and looking back at Link. "I'm going to be living in the Smash Mansion for a while, though I feel like it would be more of a Smash Fortress due to the structure. Eh, Smash Fortress is better. I'll just be tidying up there and wait until the others get back. You're welcome to stop by and move in, if you want. Oh wait. Before you go… here." The 1st-class SOLDIER pulled up Link's hand and placed his own over the palm. He then quickly moved his hand under the Hylian's, swiped his hand left to right before trying to fist bump and shake afterwards.

"Uh… what was that?" the Champion of Hyrule asked.

"It was a… secret handshake I performed," Cloud Strife answered with a bit of embarrassed nervousness in his voice. "I do this with my teammates all the time, at least back on the Planet. Hm… how does a good-night hug sound instead?"

"I guess it's fine," Link replied a second before Cloud hugged him. A pat on the Hylian's back was given, and the two Smashers parted ways.

"Hope you'll see me tomorrow," the 1st-class SOLDIER complimented, walking down the path.

"Thanks," Link returned the favor with an honest and heartfelt condolence in his voice. "See ya!" The Champion of Hyrule ran off in the opposite direction, not looking back as he pulled out his Sheikah Slate, configuring the location of the Legacy on his Sheikah Slate and warping off in streaks of blue into the air.


As soon as Link arrived back on the ship, he walked up close to a table with the Earth Citrine lying down on it. The Hylian pulled up a chair and sat down in it, taking out his Sheikah Slate and activating some sort of notepad on the blue screen. The language was in Hylian when he wrote down what he knows of the stone so far, which mainly talked about how much power it has over the Element of Earth.

"Link's Log: Night 201," Link spoke, watching another drone-like orb emerge out of the walls like liquid before floating next to him. "Ever since the fabled Devil Hunter accidentally uncovered the Earth Citrine, strange things have been happening as of late. Apparently, while Mega Man was also looking through this thing we went on a hunt for where that stone was leading us deep within Ginnungagap, and we almost left the Crazy Hand to die. Thankfully, we all got out alive, and thanks to the stone we've uncovered a girl from an era where toys ruled this planet before the dragons… which begs to question: how did Sonic know about this? Why did the stone lead us to the girl? Where are the other jewels that split up from Ultima after she sacrificed herself to save us? There are so many questions to answer, like… the nod that we may be toys after all… I don't know. It's late, I need to sleep, but research on this Earth Citrine has to be completed in order to figure out what the heck is going on. I wrote down what I assumed the Earth Citrine can do in terms of raw power." The Hylian grabbed the jewel and lifted it into the light of the blood moon, getting a clear view of the cut gem within the blood-red light.

"Apparently, from what I've gathered from the memories shared with Kirby, that stone has the ability to shape the geography of entire worlds simply by just existing in it," Link continued, unaware of the hospital equipment crashing and footsteps occurring outside of his room. "However, this thing can only grant and take away this ability from one guardian, and even then it has limitations. Plenty… of limitations. End log." The drone-like orb vanished into the walls, and when the Champion of Hyrule reattached the Sheikah Slate to his belt he heard a raspy breath at the open door. Link turned his head to the right and saw the half-awake girl that was sleeping in the hospital bed.

"Oh," Link noted, instantly recognizing the girl. "You're up late. The monitor we hooked up to your bed did say all your vital organs are healthy. That's pretty fascinating. But… we kinda noticed you should sleep in a while longer before you fully recover." The girl simply said nothing, only pointing at the Earth Citrine the Hylian held with him. Link glanced down at the stone, aware of what she wanted.

"Uh… look," Link went on, his voice becoming completely nervous as the girl walked up to him. "I need this for research. You need some more rest. Wait until I get back to your room, okay?" The Hylian got up from his chair, unsheathing his Master Sword while holding the jewel in his left hand. The girl continued walking forward, still staring at the stone.

"We can talk about this, okay?" Link asked, keeping his courage intact as he pointed his sword at the girl. "This is your last chance. Stand. Down." The girl suddenly pounced at him, swiping away the Master Sword with one clean punch. As Link was shocked by the amount of strength she had in that arm of hers, he was pinned down by her foot. With a soft touch as she tried to grab the jewel from Link's hand, a terrible accident occurred. A complete landslide took place, with sharp rocks cutting deep through the Hylian's chest and wounding him greatly with punctures. The last thing he saw before he felt his aching body harden into his trophy form was watching the girl run out with the Earth Citrine as though she was under some sort of spell.


*Present…

"And… that's what happened?" Mega Man asked.

"As far as I can remember," Link responded, rubbing his forehead. "She can't have gone far. Quick: any idea where I can access the security cameras?"

"I think it's on the other side of the ship," Simon answered. "But I'm not entirely sure. I think you need someone to guide you around the Legacy in case-" Link ran out of the room before the Belmont family member finished, going around the trio as he pulled out his Sheikah Slate. A map appeared on the device, allowing him to mark the location of the security camera room and routed out a mark on that place. The Hylian ran across the floor through the building, stopping in front of the outline of what appeared to be an elevator at the end of the hallway. Pressing his hand against the smooth wall, he phased through the wall like it was ghostly gelatin. He ended up in some sort of capsule, with a map of the ship generating in front of him. Link checked his Sheikah Slate for the location again, and he tapped the exact same room on the elevator walls.

The Champion of Hyrule was transported across the Legacy, getting off once he felt it stopped moving. Link emerged out of the futuristic elevator, gazing upon the hundreds of security cameras being monitored by only a couple Mii Fighters and Primids.

"Excuse me… do you think you guys can help me out?" Link asked. "The girl that was sleeping aboard the ship has vanished with the Earth Citrine, and I need help tracking her down. Did your cameras catch her last night?"

"Hey, Link?" Gilbert called out to the Hylian as he was the only Mii to respond. "I think I found who you're looking for." The Mii Swordfighter waved over to Link, alerting the Hylian to come over to his place in the large room. The Champion of Hyrule stopped walking over to the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn when he saw the Mii adjust the control panel in front of them both, replaying the footage from the previous night.

"Apparently, it looks like the girl you're looking for somehow used the stone she stole from you to blend in with her surroundings, using a special tactic of optical dispersion from the crystal shield she created to sneak off the Legacy. Probably another reason why we didn't notice this sooner," the Mii Swordfighter explained, aware that it was completely idiotic of him and the others not to double-check the cameras. "Looks like she used one of the floating islands to hitch a ride onto the planet, crashing into one of the areas near the Smash Fortress."

"Thanks for the info," Link responded, adjusting the settings on his Sheikah Slate's map so now he knew where to check. "Cloud said he'll be living there for a while. Better drop in for a visit and ask if he knows where she landed while he's still in that place. Thanks, Gilbert."

"Don't mention it!" the Mii Swordfighter replied, waving to Link once he left the security camera facility. The Ultimate Reborn watched the recorded footage again, watching the orange glimpse in the girl's eyes.

"Why does she even want the stone?" Gilbert asked, tapping his chin as he rested his head on his hands. "Is there something I'm missing out on? Maybe we'll have to look into the history of this world deeper…"


The warm air filled the inside of a dry cave, where tufts of grass and moss grew near the ragged walls. There was a small campfire in the center of the area, which had already died out to reveal the charred wooden logs used to fuel it. Marx was asleep next to the fire, with his golden wings wrapped around his round body and bubbles of snot forming as he snored despite not even having a nose.

The tiny splashes of the bubbles popping near his face were enough to have Marx wave one of his wings above himself, which resulted in said wing getting grabbed. Marx was pulled up into a sitting position, and he growled when he saw that Mephiles woke him up.

"Eat some breakfast and meet with me outside the cave. We have work to do," Mephiles spoke, snapping his fingers and generating fried eggs and bacon, a blueberry muffin, a glass of milk, and a stack of pancakes with butter and syrup drizzled onto them. Marx licked his pointed teeth, biting deep into the stack of pancakes and overall devouring the whole thing. His tongue quickly lapped up the syrup and shortly later the eggs and bacon, followed by him gouging down the muffin and drinking the milk. He finished the whole meal just before Mephiles walked out of the cave.

Mephiles was outside of the entrance to the cave, gazing out into the distance as he waited for Marx to come out. The cave's entrance was covered in vines, and the cave itself was located on a floating island tied to an arc emerging from the land by the roots of the small trees. The land itself was foreign and alien-like, but not as much as Arcus appeared to be. A mountain range surrounding a disc-shaped valley was located far off in the distance, obscuring the rising sun.

"Remind me again why we're here at this place," Marx asked as he emerged out of the cave tangled in the vines obscuring the entrance. He hissed as he tried to move, ripping off the vines he got caught in and tripping behind Mephiles.

"Because for the past few days of preparation, I have noticed you've got a problem," Mephiles answered, aware that Marx was tearing off the vines with malicious intent. "You tend to act sweet, cute, innocent, and naive around those that have no prior knowledge of your past as a way to hide your true intentions. I've heard the tale about how you earned the trust between Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright and got them to fight each other, as well as how you convinced Kirby to contact NOVA just so you can get your true form back. You really are power-hungry and manipulative, especially after you killed your entire race just to show them who's boss."

"That's apparently what you get when you're abused and mocked all your life by your own family to the point where the clothes they make you wear have integrated into your personality," Marx answered. "Everyone was just awful back at my old planet. Living in a perfect world while leaving me in the mud."

"I see," Mephiles noted shortly before he continued. "After all, the marks on your horns translate to 'malice' and 'destruction,' and each personality of your race is determined by what language their horns read when fully translated… right?"

"Of course," the adorable winged jester replied. "After all, these people think too highly of themselves and only care about what they want to see. Who gives a crap about virtues, anyway? It's all about the fear and control to help you get what you want, and I learned that from my father Grendel through his… abusive actions. That old man should've learned that I would go wild after mocking me at every turn..."

"But you said so yourself: the only time you need someone is to push you to your goals," Mephiles continued. "And you know what? I think I see something over there. Would you like to come over here and look closely?" The jester floated over to Mephiles, trying to keep his eyes on where the crystalline hedgehog was pointing at.

There, within the pine trees, Marx saw something. He looked upon the bat-like wings caressing over the bushes filled with ripe berries, and beak-like jaws picking the berries out as the creature harvesting the bushes placed the berries it picked into a basket around its neck.

"Well now," Marx chuckled, only focusing on the berries that were being picked. "They sure do look tasty. Lemme at em!" Mephiles quickly grabbed ahold of Marx's feet, keeping a firm grip on the jester as he was about to fly off.

"Don't you dare!" Mephiles spoke in his usual tone as he threw Marx onto the ground of the floating island. He then detached the jester's wings, holding them in his grip

"My wings! Give them back! Give them back!" Marx growled with a twisted sense of brattiness, stomping his feet in an angry manner.

"I will give them back once you learn this crucial bit of advice: in devoting your time to the thing you want just to momentarily satisfy your greed, you are not only putting yourself in danger… but you're also giving away our position," Mephiles explained. "Besides, did you even pay attention to the beast harvesting the berries?" Marx, while he was still pouting, marched over to the crystalline hedgehog and looked at the bushes again. There, he saw the creature gather up all the berries it could fit into its basket before taking off into the sky.

"A… dragon!?" Marx asked with complete surprise in his voice. "I thought they all were extinct thousands of years ago! I thought the Hands and the royal siblings were the last of their kind!"

"That's right," Mephiles replied. "And that creature is flying off to the valley to meet with the rest of the dragons, including those who had survived the genocide."

"I thought you were joking," Marx spoke, still bewildered with disbelief. "That there's no way dragons like this guy would have survived…"

"Over a thousand years of living far from your old home does eventually take a turn for the better," Mephiles pointed out. "The sad thing is: this valley protects the dragons from the likes of us at the moment, leaving the far lands for ourselves to seize control over."

"Okay, I get it," Marx noted, solely focused on his golden appendages. "Now gimme back my wings." Mephiles sighed in annoyance as he tossed the wings at Marx, to which the demonic jester gleefully stuck the wings back on with his teeth.

"And here's another problem: you rely too much on power for power's sake and manipulating other people that you don't understand how determination works," Mephiles continued. "You obviously take what you want with nothing you promised in return. You simply use people without a clear goal in mind, probably alluding to more on how spoiled you are. It's clear you're only undermining the crucial elements."

"Alright then, smartass," Marx spoke with a little bit of prejudice against Mephiles. "Let's say the only thing I desire is power. Good old power of friendship. What exactly are the three core elements of determination I gotta learn, just like you said?"

"I guess I should get along to that, considering how impatient you get," the crystalline hedgehog replied. "Follow me." Mephiles crossed his hands, warping off the island. Marx obeyed and disappeared, the two villains reappearing near a lake near a couple mountains. Trees with overgrown branches bent over the surface of the lake from the weight of their leaves, and freshwater fish swam around near the bottom.

"Determination is the will to persist after death, granting those with strong souls the ability to save. I take it you already knew that," Mephiles explained. "It depends on what you can save, as long as you have three core elements: emotion, sanity, and most importantly… cognition. Take a look below the surface of the lake. What do you see?"

"I see fish. And lots of em," Marx answered.

"But what do the fish see?" Mephiles asked. "How do the fish use determination to live their normal lives together?" Marx stared at the lake, his face crunching as he tried to figure out what could this exactly mean.

"Allow me to clarify, in case you're stuck," Mephiles taught. "These fish are living in the emotion of happiness. That happiness allows them to connect with each other and create an ecosystem for themselves. Emotions are natural instincts driven by an individual's circumstance or mood, depending on the relationships it makes. Sanity is the ability to think and behave in a rational manner, allowing an individual to cope better or worse with others. Now pay close attention: from your perspective, how would you describe this lake?"

"...Just a boring old lake," the jester replied. "Nothing much I can tell you, aside from the obvious fact it's cold and wet."

"You would be right," Mephiles continued. "To you and everyone else who doesn't live in the water all that much, it would be another lake. But to these fish, it would be a home. They have lived here all their life and would swim downstream should the colder season approach. We will call this cognition, the imagination and belief for those who choose to believe in whatever they want to believe. Whatever they want to see, that is how they determine reality. Think about determination as the cake, and cognition as the icing. Emotion and sanity would be the sprinkles and berries that boost the flavor of the cake, but they aren't necessarily needed. Does that make sense?" Marx glanced down at the small colonies of fish, watching how happily they swam around without a care in the world.

He hated that happiness right down to his gut.

"I guess it does," Marx replied.

"Now then… let's say I reach into the water and take one of these fish out," Mephiles went on, submerging that crystalline hand of his into the lake. "See how the fish scatter in random directions as I dip my hand in. They have spent so much time together with little knowledge of the outside world that they often forget to stay together in perfect harmony. As a result, they flee from anything that seems out of place in their cognitive senses. They use determination as a means of purpose, and that purpose is to survive out of fear." Mephiles managed to grab one of the fishes within the lake, pulling it out and watching it gasp for the dissolved oxygen within the water and squirm around. Marx got a good view of the fish in the crystalline hedgehog's hand, starting to understand more about how it works.

"Watch as the fish is trying to use all three of these core elements to stay determined, or in other words save itself. Its emotions are spiraling out of control through fear, trying to seek the comfort of the same home it was taken out from. It knows that it needs water to keep itself sane, which is also the one cognitive element taken from it as I pulled it out of the lake. And have you looked at the other fish? Even after one of their kind was taken away, they are unphased by this and continue back to where they previously were. Now let's say I return the fish I have so far… except I killed it." Mephiles crushed the fish in his fist, hearing the tiny bones crunch in his grip. He opened his crystalline fingers, exposing the limp body of the fish with blood dripping out of its mouth. He dropped the body back into the lake, where the colony swam away from the corpse sinking down from the surface.

"Pay attention to the fish now," Mephiles carried on with. "See how they analyze the fresh corpse before eating it. The urge to feast on the dead body is driven from their sanity to behave according to their place in the circle of life, as well as the cognition of how they see it. To you and me, it's another dead fish. To them, it's more food. That's how life works, and I viewed it the hard way from my time with the mortals. Humans and sentient beings are completely different from animals, and they have free will. That free will boosts their determination and helps them contextualize and survive by viewing the cognitive world through a moral lens. Now then… let's say I separate this harmonious colony of fish and divide it into multiple ones based on their… let's go with something simple like colors right now." The crystalline hedgehog snapped his fingers, trapping each fish within the colony in magical bubbles. Each bubble was organized so that each fish was in a group that matched with their colors.

"Let's say these fish are wiped of their memories, remembering no one but only those that match their respected colors," Mephiles went on, moving his crystalline fingers a bit and erasing the memories of all the fish within the colony. "Let's say I manipulate these fish, making them think that nothing matching their color should be trusted. Now thanks to an outside source they have no knowledge of, their determination and its three core elements have been severely altered. Emotion is altered as it is changed through blinded anger and rage, sanity has been tipped in favor of trying to get rid of the races they see as 'imperfect,' and cognition has been changed as they now throw away all that understanding and awareness that something is not right. Their behavior has been altered to fit insanity, and they're blind to the fact that violence will not make them feel any better." Mephiles removed the bubbles around the fishes, and both the crystalline hedgehog and the winged jester watched as each fish attacked on another.

"It's enough to make you cry with joy, isn't it?" Mephiles asked.

"Yes, it is," Marx wept, his violet eyes glistening with happy sadism as he saw his reflection on the surface of the bloodstained part of the lake.

"Unfortunately, my powers are not yet strong enough to start a war like the one that happened at the lake," Mephiles assured. "But have you noticed what I'm going for? These bubbles and the different types of fish are all symbolic of parallel universes, and I have driven them mad with flashes of false information. And little do they know…" The crystalline hedgehog extended his hand into the water, and the small Insaniton slithered down his limbless appendage into the battle between the fishes of different colors. The blood cleared as Marx watched the Insaniton latch onto every single one of the fishes and absorb them into its pink, slimy body. Once every fish was gone, the Insaniton jumped out of the water and into Mephiles's hand again.

"...they have become a farm of insanity for this joy of creation," Mephiles noted, and Marx watched as the Insaniton formed another blinking green eye on itself. "Do you know how hard it is to get just a little bit of insanity through starting wars between races of smaller, less intelligent creatures? Very difficult, especially since the Eyes of God have been informed of my existence through the Super Smash Brothers."

"Oh... yeah," Marx spoke. "Those guys. Wait, are talking about THE Eyes of God?" Mephiles simply glanced back at the jester, giving out no answer through words and instead letting Marx find out that Mephiles said yes to the question.

"Back to the topic at hand: the Super Smash Brothers have a power unlike any you and I have ever seen," Mephiles went on. "That power has kept them determined from beginning to end, helping them persist to the point where outside forces would bring them back into new bodies. It must be whatever leftover cognition is trying to rebuild them from their memories, hereby granting them bodies to help them survive in any environment. But they do have a weakness: their Smash Balls are all connected to the item I need to become Eternia again... But at least it will be enough to get what the both of us want. In the meantime, we should start training you to use more than just magic and that spoiled temper of yours. Real determination comes from more than just a hunger of power for power's sake. You need a purpose, and mine is already planned: the destruction of all universes so no one can fall into sin again."

"And what about the dragons living here?" Marx questioned. "If you're struggling nowadays because these Eyes of God know you're out there, we'll basically die from these grown-up kids."

"Maybe YOU might die, but I am practically immortal for now," Mephiles responded. "Besides, we have the outer lands to ourselves. We can worry about taking over the valley after Sozo and Hakai recall the dragons back to Arcus. Now come along. It's time we teach you how to fight the hard way."


The Champion of Hyrule was walking through the forest, journeying on the path under the guidance of his Sheikah Slate. He pulled the device out, checking his marked location and putting it away as he spotted the large fortress peeking out of the alien forest. Link ran towards the place, crossing the bridge and entering the front door. The Champion of Hyrule looked around the spacious place, with the colors on the mosaic tiles popping.

"Cloud?" Link asked as he called out for the fighter. "Cloud? Are you around here? No?" The Hylian opened the door to the garden, looking upon the islands within the lake without taking a step down the stairs. Link figured the 1st-class SOLDIER was nowhere around this part of the mansion, so he entered the larger door next to the garden one. He then found himself within the outer walls of the fortress, supported by pillars as he got a good view of the large dome-shaped roof from down below. There were multiple doors on his left, each of them getting a clear view of the hallways behind the glass. The Champion of Hyrule caught a quick glance of the blond-haired mercenary admiring the books found within the castle's library as he ran past. Link opened the door and entered through the door leading to the shelves of books.

"Oh. Hi, Link," Cloud Strife spoke with surprise as he looked ahead to see the Hylian enter the section of the castle. "What are you doing here?"

"Listen, there's something I have to tell you," Link panted as he tried to catch his breath. "It's very important… what are you doing here?" The Hylian lost his train of thought as he looked at all the books tucked neatly into their shelves, his focus shifting towards the fact that the 1st-class SOLDIER was taking attention to one of these books.

"Just… reading through these books," Cloud answered. "And by reading, I mean looking through whatever they've got in here. Seriously, come over here. There's something about these books I don't understand…" Link walked up the stairs, walking over to the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"It's just all… randomly generated code on some blue pages," Link noted.

"I know, right?" the 1st-class SOLDIER replied. "I flip through another book like this and it's all the same. Do they have books like this in your world?"

"Kinda," Link answered. "They're all written in Hylian, but they're moreover just inked text written on paper instead of… whatever you've got here."

"I guess I can say the same for you," Cloud noted, putting away the book that he got out. "I… kinda wanted to continue the conversation we had last night, but you kinda left to research on that Earth Citrine."

"...Well, is there anything you'd like to talk about?" the Hylian asked.

"Y'know, whatever you've got in another timeline," Cloud replied.

"Before we ended up here, the only thing I remembered was that I, Zelda, and Ganondorf were from the same timeline," Link uttered. "I dunno what it was, but something was convincing us to change our designs. I think the only other person affected by this was Ike. He went from a man with swollen muscles back to his teenage self."

"Perhaps it could be metamorphosis," Cloud Strife acknowledged. "Since we often regenerate all wounds upon defeat and temporary unconsciousness, there could be a chance we change our appearances." Link simply looked at Cloud in disbelief.

"But that doesn't make any sense," Link objected. "Zelda and I weren't even trophies when we changed in looks and personalities. And we were doing this with the fear that we might die for real if we fall in battle. So this just raises more questions than it does answers."

"Hm… you do have a point," the 1st-class SOLDIER muttered. "I mean, it can't really be natural. It could have just probably been another trick up the Master Hand's... sleeve, like I said."

"Or could it have been the Crazy Hand?" Link responded. "I still don't know why I was thrown into another timeline and expected to connect the dots. I guess Zelda and Ganondorf must feel the same... I forgot to mention, you're a pretty calm guy to have around. I pretty much thank you for giving your compliments to my Champion's Tunic last night."

"You're welcome," Cloud added, still admiring the books without changing his tone. "I guess no matter how much has changed, you'll still be the hero in green that the legends of your homeworld always go on about."

"...I've been meaning to ask, do you have to deal with reincarnations and stuff?" Link questioned, with Cloud glancing at the Hylian. "Like… you are told time and time again that you're the chosen one and you have to save the world from an evil that has been tied to you and a damsel for millennia through a piece of a macguffin split into three?"

"... Can't say I do," Cloud answered. "I think it had to be more of… relationships turned sour and you and your party group up and take down a benevolent being and his plan to destroy the world by powering himself with his alien mother. I think the only person closest to a damsel was Aerith Gainsborough, but even then she proved she could defend herself time and time again, so… I don't know what your definition of 'damsel' means. She… asked if I could show her the 'real me,' like she was asking me to make a promise. I probably returned the favor by saving the Planet, but… before that…" The 1st-class SOLDIER sighed with a thought of painful heartbreak, leaving Link to come to the conclusion of what happened to Aerith. He kept silent about the conversation, unaware of what to say.

"Oh, Cloud… I didn't know," the Champion of Hyrule spoke with realization. "I'm so sorry about what happened to her…"

"You don't have to apologize," Cloud Strife sighed. "I guess I made the promise to her after I helped you guys save the multiverse from Galeem and Dharkon. So I guess that could be a good thing. Any people you lost in your timeline?"

"Well, there were these Champions that were killed by the Calamity Ganon," Link answered. "Again, I don't really know what to expect, even after a few months of living in that timeline. I might have to ask Zelda when she comes back. Or maybe Ganondorf. Even Sheik and the other two mes. Maybe they could give me their thoughts on what they think of the timelines they ended up in…"

"Maybe… but I don't know. We kinda have some pretty weird friends. There's Barret Wallace, who serves as the muscles of our team and an overall badass. Red XIII, a wolf-like creature who's sometimes accompanied by a robot cat who calls himself Cait Sith, then there's Sid Highwind who serves as our pilot, as well as a couple rogue Turks named Reno and Rude. Then there was Zack Fair, who gave me the sword I carry with me into battle. And just like Aerith… he… I can't really say it. The thing I want you to know is that he helped change me into who I'm meant to be. I even confused my own past with his. I guess you aren't the only one who lost someone… right?"

"Not really, even though I can never see these people again… Oh wait a minute!" The situation involving the girl came back to Link, and he felt dumbfounded just by forgetting it. "Cloud! I just completely forgot! I'm looking for a girl we found in Ginnungagap. Have you seen here come this way? She managed to escape and take the Earth Citrine with her!"

"I don't think I even saw what she looked like," Cloud answered. "But I think one of those floating islands crashed into the westside of the woods. If you see any rubble that looked like an island fell from the sky, you might- hey, where are you going?" By this point, Link had heard enough and walked away towards the same door where he came in. He pulled up his Sheikah Slate yet again and marked a location in the westward woods on his device's map.

"I don't know if you should go out alone," Cloud called out. "There could be a bunch of creatures you and I haven't encountered since… well… none of us haven't exactly been around Arcus when the dragons thrived."

"It's okay, Cloud," Link responded, opening the door. "I can take care of myself. You don't have to worry about me. I'll be back with her soon!"

"No wait-! Shit…" By the time Cloud tried to at least suggest he should go out into the wilderness with the Champion of Hyrule, it was too late. The 1st-class SOLDIER knew it was best that he would go out and follow Link through the woods just so he could see that the Hylian was safe.


Link was walking through the woods for quite a while, checking his Sheikah Slate only once to check if he was heading in the right direction. The Champion of Hyrule kept wandering around until he suddenly heard a crunch underneath his boot. He lifted it up and suddenly recognized that what he stepped on was a crystal fragment, and upon looking up he paid close attention to the fact that the tops of the trees were torn off. As he continued down the path, he saw some sort of ditch filled with uprooted trees and large crystal shards. From there, he encountered a small piece of land just a few average humans across submerged into the ground.

"Hello?" Link asked, calling out to the girl who was supposed to be around here. "Little girl? Are you okay? If you're around here, say something!" The Hylian heard soft groaning coming from beneath the deactivated island, and his eyes widened in fear as he knew exactly what happened. The girl was probably trapped underneath the rubble, and he had to get her out of there.

Link activated the magnetic powers on his Sheikah Slate, pulling off the pieces with ease as he found out there were small chunks of iron and nickel embedded in the rocky ground. Through this simple trick, Link quickly cleared the rubble and pulled the girl out. Her clothes were tainted with dirt and torn apart, with the Earth Citrine still in her hands. She opened up her deep garnet eyes, looking up at the Champion of Hyrule like the curious child she was.

"Hi there," Link spoke, trying to make his first real impressions good towards her. "It's alright. You're safe now… I'm Link, Champion of Hyrule. Your name…?" The girl simply stared up at the elf-like humanoid holding her while she recovered, having fully come back to her senses and no longer experiencing the beating drums and orange tunnel in her vision.

"...I never really… had a name," the girl answered as Link took the jewel from her limp hands and put it in one of his pockets. "I was just… created and sealed off. Where… Where am I?"

"You're in Arcus, just within this forest," Link responded. "You went under the influence of the Earth Citrine, probably during the blood moon last night, and it looks like you hit a ride on one of the floating islands here… thank Hylia it was tiny, otherwise it would have had major consequences."

"Floating island?" the girl asked, squirming out of the Hylian's arms as she looked at the desolated island she ran into the ground for some reason. "The last thing I remember was… I can't recall honestly, but this place looks so familiar…" She tried to stand up, balancing herself on the broken ruins of the island next to her.

"And this place…" the girl continued, gazing at the forest as though something was clearly wrong. "This forest wasn't supposed to be here. All the trees… they're growing over the bodies of the soldiers." She walked into the ditch she created with the grounded island, wobbling with every footstep until she landed on both knees and began digging.

"Look!" she went on, holding the arms of what appeared to a stuffed bear and a robot soldier. Both of them were tainted in dried blood and ripped apart from both battle wounds and time itself. "They weren't buried last time I got here. They were… lying dead. On the ground. They didn't bother giving them a proper burial."

"Stop stop stop… what happened?" Link interrupted, wondering where the girl was going with this. "What are you going on with? The racism against different types of toys, like Sonic said? Is that what you're talking about?"

"Racism?" the girl asked as though she had no idea what the word even meant. "What is that?"

"Y'know… something that these toys went through," Link answered. "There were those different types of toys. Weren't you… caught in the crossfire?" The girl put down the detached arms she pulled out, starting to have something come back to her. Her garnet eyes trembled, with her mind having escaped through scattered flashbacks and trauma. The sky was black with smoke and ashes, with starships crashing down around her. Screams were echoing throughout the fire, and during this whole time she tried to stay awake and try not to fall into a panic attack.

"I… was a hybrid," the girl replied, holding her hair as she tried to recollect her past. "I was part Neomeat and part Wïsha, a blend of strength and creativity… the best of both worlds. A war broke out because of that racism between them. I didn't know what that was at the time, but I guess there was this hatred. Before the fire consumed the sky, I was forced to pick a side. I knew if I chose neither, who were both cruel in their own way, it meant certain death. I ran away and eventually fell into a pit of ice and fire. It seemed as though the stars saved me for a reason, because I was concealed deep within the darkness. I… remembered nothing else after that. Please tell me what I missed, Link. How long was I asleep?"

"Hm… well, there were these dragons that showed up who established their own world, a war between light and darkness, us discovering other worlds through plenty of methods…" Link pointed out. "So it might have been thousands of years. And I don't know why, but I think the Earth Citrine called us to you…"

"The Earth Citrine…?" the girl questioned. Before she could listen to the Hylian's answer, she heard the sound of trampled branches and rustling leaves several feet away from her. Link noticed where she was looking, his hand on the indigo handle of his legendary blade. Soon enough, a bear-like quadruped creature with a boar's face and hooves emerged. Both the Hylian and the girl were standing completely still as the hybrid creature gnawed on the bush's leaves just to get the berries that grew on it.

"What… is that thing?" the girl asked, with Link quickly covering her mouth the second he heard her speak out loud.

"Shh… I have no idea, but we need to keep quiet," the Hylian whispered, letting go of her mouth. "Just stay put and don't move." Link crouched close to the floor, tiptoeing towards the bear-boar hybrid while reaching into his pocket. The four-legged beast lifted up its head, snorting with a soft growl as it spotted the Champion of Hyrule walking up to it.

"It's okay," Link hushed, pulling out a small handful of berries while attempting to press the palm of his free hand on the beast's forehead. "I'm not gonna hurt you. I'm just gonna make sure you don't attack us. We're nice people… don't worry…" The Hylian gave out his handful of berries to the bear-boar, letting the creature sniff the tiny fruits with caution before lapping them up. Link slowly reached his hand over to stroke the beast's mane, scratching it behind its flappy ear. The creature snorted in tolerance, flapping its ears as it oinked. However, just as things were starting to calm down…

"Hey, Link!" Cloud called out from a distance. "Watch out!" The Champion of Hyrule looked towards Cloud Strife's direction, completely unaware that there was a winged creature diving straight for the bear-boar until he heard a piercing screech. At first, Link thought it was just Ridley who dropped in for a visit until he remembered that Ridley had a different pitch and sound in his alien roar. The Champion of Hyrule looked up behind himself to see a winged creature with its talons unfurled.

The creature's appearance was that of an amphiptere, with scales of blue and feathered wings of white. Its legs stretched out like a falcon's, ready to catch the bear-boar in its clutches. Link quickly rolled away as the amphiptere grabbed ahold of the smaller beast, with Cloud Strife running into the scene in time to protect the girl.

"You leave us alone!" Link shouted at the amphiptere, which was tearing off the head of the bear-boar beast and simply dining on the smaller creature's flesh.

"Link, wait! Don't attack it!" Cloud objected, aware that the dragon might just be hungry and didn't mean any harm. Link, on the other hand, was not willing to back away from danger. He thought the creature meant harm, and he slashed the Master Sword at the amphiptere's talon. The dragon screeched in pain, flapping its wings and blowing quite a strong breeze from its flapping wings. Link, Cloud, and the girl shielded their faces from the airborne dirt and leaves blowing in front of them. The amphiptere roared with a powerful gust of wind streaming from its outstretched mouth, pushing the Champion of Hyrule into the 1st-class SOLDIER. The Earth Citrine dropped out of Link's pocket, landing on the ground next to the girl. She looked up with widened eyes as the serpentine dragon caught witness of the glimmering orange jewel.

"It doesn't want to fight!" Cloud groaned, holding an overconfident Link's arms with his tight grip. "Leave it alone!"

"That thing was going to attack us anyway!" Link objected, trying to squirm out of Cloud's grip with the Master Sword in his hand. The girl, in complete panic, grabbed the Earth Citrine again and tried to run off. The amphiptere took off into the air, swooping down upon the girl and snatching her.

"Link! Help me!" the girl screamed, too frightened to even let go of the stone in her hands and lose it on the forest floor. As soon as Link pushed the ex-mercenary to the ground, he looked up into the sky and saw the amphiptere fly off to the top of that mountain. Cloud groaned as he got up, pissed off at the fact that Link even thought about attacking that dragon.

"I told you you shouldn't have gone without me," Cloud sighed in an irritated tone. "Now look what happened! We're enemies with a dragon!"

"Well, if you hadn't held me back, that girl and the Earth Citrine wouldn't have been taken!" Link objected.

"Did you even get the girl's name?" Cloud asked, folding his arms across his chest.

"She said she didn't have one…" Link sighed, sitting down on the ground in guilt. "All she told me was that she was the hybrid that started the racist war between the toys."

"Well, I'm glad she gave you that information, but that's not the point," Cloud replied. "It was because of your overconfidence to understand the simplest of things that you attacked that dragon while it was hungry!"

"Excuse me for being a bit barbaric there, princess," Link objected, being sarcastic in his tone. "Sorry if I couldn't see past the obvious differences between a hungry beast and a bloodthirsty monster! You can thank my past self for getting us into this mess."

"I tried warning you to stay away, and it would have left us alone! And yes: I can thank your past self, and give my regards to him that he should have known better instead of charging head-first into battle without a proper plan in the hopes that his own courage would solve everything instead of saving his own butt."

"Alright, alright, I get it!" Link groaned, his face blushing as he got mad. "The truth is… during these past few months I've been away from you guys, I've been fending for myself by hunting down whatever creature I come across... whether through self-defense or because I was just hungry. Just thank my behavior, if you'd like. It was just a… force of habit I developed."

"Link… I care for you. Truly I do," Cloud sighed, placing his hand on the Hylian's shoulder as a means to show comfort and forgiveness. "But as people with sworn duties to our nations, we have a lot going on. And I must confess: I tend to get distracted by tons of secrets, but at the very least I know when to leave from a fight if I know a monster doesn't bother me unless I attack it. I tend to get out mistakes other people made, including you, but you're going to need to utilize your wits more. You've got quite the essentials for survival, and it shows. But sometimes you might need more than just a couple of fancy weapons mixed with courage. It's okay to face danger head-on, but there's always a time and a place for those kinds of things. You can't always overestimate your own tools." Link glanced up at Cloud, aware of what the 1st-class SOLDIER wanted what was best for them both. He grabbed ahold of Cloud's hand, pulling himself back onto his feet. The angry blush in the Hylian's cheeks slowly faded away, and he looked up at the mountain where the amphiptere took the girl and the stone.

"We go straight ahead to that mountain," Link explained, pulling out his Sheikah Slate and marking the mountain's location. "We climb to the top and hold back the dragon just long enough to get us all out alive."

"Sounds like a reasonable plan," Cloud noted, only noticing that Link took out some rope and tied their waists together. "What are you doing…?"

"There's an easier way getting to the foot of the mountain without relying on walking," the Hylian responded. "Now hold on tight."

"Like this…?" Cloud wrapped his arms around Link's waist as tightly as possible, with the Hylian activating a spiritual orb with an avian imprinted on it. Link quickly pulled out his glider mere seconds before the orb vanished, activating a powerful gust of wind below the two swordfighters. It blew them high above the trees, with the glider slowing down their descent as Link steered them towards the mountain.

"Now according to my Sheikah Slate, there should be a nest or cave just at the top of the mountain," Link assured. "Better keep a tight grip on me, since it's gonna get windy from up here…" Cloud Strife tightly hugged Link's waist and chest to the point where their cheeks were touching each other, just in case the rope wasn't strong enough to hold them together. The 1st-class SOLDIER was aware of the warmth between their squished cheeks, and he simply decided to hold that position until they eventually landed safely at the mountain. As far as he knew, this sign of their cheeks pressed against each other was only the birth of a more mutual companionship slowly growing between them. Link simply didn't mind this gesture and only knew with certainty and relief that his close friend was holding on tight. All that matters right now was grabbing the girl and the stone before running away from the amphiptere.


In the other dimension where the surviving dragons settled down in, Mephiles and Marx were standing on top of a flat hill. Marx popped the bones in his wings, and Mephiles chuckled as he laid his Insaniton on the ground.

"Now then… first things first: what kind of abilities did you gain at the Mysterious Dimension?" Mephiles asked. "I had just noticed you seemed to be far weaker than you were when you were controlling the prison Dharkon made for you."

"Oh, there were a lot of things I could talk about," Marx answered. "I had super strength, telekinesis I had before which was then amplified to shape the land, summoning swarms of enemies and piles of food to my side. He just let me go crazy. Now that I'm free… I feel much weaker than before."

"Good," Mephiles spoke. "We're going to be playing a game across the land that tests your stats. There are seven stats: Attack, Defense, Speed, Special, Jump, Arms, and Intelligence." Mephiles generated seven symbols: an orange boxing glove, a blue shield, a green boot, a red starburst, a yellow wing, a purple sledgehammer, and a magenta brain.

"This glove resembles Attack, which amplifies physical strength," Mephiles explained. "The shield gives out Defense, and that's self-explanatory. Speed is symbolized by this boot, which increases movement speed. This starburst resembles Special, which is different from Attack since it utilizes magic for skills such as lasers, levitation, and teleportation to name a few. Jump, as evident by this feather, increases jump and flight. Arms, as evident by this hammer, is useful for a lot of things - it increases throw power, boosts items in a number of ways depending on usefulness, and upgrades projectiles. The most recent addition is Intelligence, and you can pretend this brain is a symbol for this kind of skill. Intelligence amplifies precision and combat when in battle, and it even increases your chances of getting the other six skills. These symbols should at least give you an idea on what they are. Now then… let us begin." Mephiles buried his crystalline foot into the ground, kicking out a chunk of rock straight at Marx.

The jester didn't know what was coming to him, meaning that he was hit in the face with the chunk. Several more chunks were flying straight at him, forcing Marx to roll out of danger and spit ice-coated balls at the flying rocks.

"What the hell was that!?" Marx snarled, growling as he was hit again by another rock.

"A test of marksmanship and patience," Mephiles replied, surrounding himself with rocks. "You're going to need to take down all these rocks as best as you can, but I feel that you've already gotten the hang of it so we'll move on. See how well you can face danger now that you no longer have Dharkon's dimension to assist you..." Mephiles looked down at his Insaniton, nodding at the pink slime. The Insaniton began to twitch, stretching out across the ground like a blanket and changing itself into a large gauntlet filled with pillars between swinging axes, puzzle-solving traps, flamethrowers, mallets, and possibly everything you could ask for when attending dangerous traps.

"If you're going to be a fit member for my army, you're going to have to prove you can do it alone," Mephiles continued. "I'll be tracking the seven stats based on performance and accuracy, and it's exactly what you want: a challenge that tests how much you want out of imperfection and madness caused by your mischievous antics. It requires intelligence as well as your stats. Remember: the three steps for determination."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Marx replied, stretching his wings over his head. "I got it. I got it."

"Alright then. I'll be meeting you at the end of the gauntlet. That way, I can determine if I can either let you into the front lines of my army or if you can work alone that I won't even require one." The crystalline hedgehog snapped his fingers, teleporting to the other side. A grin graced Marx's face as he glided in the air, which fell off just as quickly when an axe swung in front of him.

This is going to be far more difficult than I thought… Marx thought. Oh well! The jester flew around the swinging axe, laughing maniacally as he teleported away from the swing, only to be flattened by a heavy slab above him. As soon as the slab slowly lifted up to charge its crush, the winged jester pulled himself off the ground, popping his eyeballs back into their sockets. The slab was about to fall on him again, but Marx quickly scattered some seeds around the pedestal he was standing on. Those seeds grew into thorny stalks, holding the falling slab as best as they could. Just when the weight was about to win over them, the jester fired a laser from his mouth and shattered the slab.

A barrage of cannons popped up behind Marx, firing a barrage of lead balls straight at the jester. Marx quickly split himself in half, absorbing the rapid-firing cannonballs through a black hole. The demonic jester quickly dodged the second barrage, panicking and shooting an ice ball at a flamethrower just when it popped out of nowhere and tried to burn him. Saws and arrows far and wide were flying all over the gauntlet. Two mechanical arms quickly popped off Marx's wings like a fly, causing him to drop onto a large platform. The small jester landed in the beginning of a deathtrap, by which he was near a tiled floor. Each tile gave way underneath him once he slowly touched his foot on one of the tiles, by which they always led to certain death in a pool of lava.

Hm… looks like Mephiles's living contraption has clipped my wings, and I have to get them back once I cross over that tiled floor, Marx thought as he analyzed the saws moving across the floor along with the flame-tipped arrows. Whelp. No time to think! The jester ran across the tiles, jumping over every saw that got in his way and kicked out a bunch of beach balls to shield himself from the incoming arrows. Once Marx got to the end of the floor with several scratches on his plushy body, he grabbed ahold of the detached golden wings waiting for him from the pedestal they were resting on. The jester spread those wings open again, soaring into the air as he attacked a wall of dummies armed with assault rifles.

"Fascinating…" Mephiles told himself as he paid close attention to Marx's movements throughout the gauntlet. It was clear that even though most of the traps were what he struggled at, he was still filled with a malicious intent and a bloodthirsty appetite. That was what the crystalline hedgehog liked, but he knew Marx cannot do things alone. After all, his followers were still out there after the death of the Forgotten Gatekeeper, and Marx looked like he would be happy if more of his kind would play with him.

Once the planet's sun was halfway down over the horizon, Marx emerged out of the end of the gauntlet. The winged jester's hexagon scales were shedding off, his two-tone hat filled with rips and tears as he stamped out a small flame that was lit on one of the white pom-poms. His face was completely charred, and his left eyeball was hanging out his socket by its stalk.

"Impressive," Mephiles spoke, having already waited for Marx at the end. "Truly remarkable, I must say. Your own lust for violence and destruction surpasses even my own, but your damage output is mediocre at best compared to mine."

"Mediocre!?" Marx exclaimed. "You mean I went through this torture for nothing!?"

"Don't interrupt me," Mephiles continued, displaying a graph bar of the stats he explained. "Your Special and Attack powers are moderate at best, at a bit of the lukewarm area. I suggest you try harder to increase your offense. As for your Defense… it's pathetic. Literally. You won't even survive against a mountain crushing you. But I see that your Speed and Jump stats are clearly remarkable, still the best you've got even though you can't beat the likes of Sonic the Hedgehog. For your Arms and Intelligence… they're above average, at least. You are quite clever, and you take your time to learn how to squeeze past traps due to your small size. And for that, I'm impressed."

"So does this mean I get to be your one-man army?" Marx asked with flee sparkling in his violet eyes, tapping his talons against each other impatiently as he waited for the crystalline hedgehog to give out an answer. Mephiles just simply laughed at that question, confusing the winged jester greatly.

"You? A one-man army?" Mephiles responded in the form of a question, snapping his fingers. The Insaniton that formed into the entire gauntlet quickly folded up and reverted into its pink slime self, crawling over to its master.

"You don't even come close, Marx," Mephiles continued, stroking the pink slime with his fingers. "I've heard the legends of how you rose up against your father, King Grendel, in meaningless hatred and ruthlessness; how you absorbed the sun warming your home planet to drive your species to extinction while sacrificing your powers in the process. NOVA gave you those powers back, and yet I see nothing of what a few onlookers spoke of you: the demon of genocide."

"Alright, quit rubbing it in my face!" Marx snapped, ramming his left eye back into its socket. "I admit: I overestimated my powers back there, and I still do. So don't give me any more funny business."

"Relax, I won't," Mephiles responded. "You are quite useful getting some tasks done. Emphasis on 'some.' You still have much to learn, and I figured with more of your kind… you can cause some major damage." Those words peeked Marx with curiosity by which he never knew, and he wanted to know more.

"What do you mean… more of my kind?" Marx asked.

"I'm talking about a circus under my alliance," Mephiles ushered, his Insaniton slithering up his quills. "Clowns who are just like you: chaotic, use magic, fly… and I'm sure you can find someone who agrees with your ideals of a perfect world besides myself. I'm thinking about… jesters. The craziest kind out there, each with their own strategies. Come with me. We'll be heading over to a certain someone I know. He'll be leading the cacophony, and at least be glad you'll be one of the frontrunners of the bandwagon."

"Hold on… you didn't tell me there was gonna be a leader! Why didn't I become one!?" Marx complained.

"Didn't you hear what I just said?" Mephiles sighed, taking care not to lose his temper as always. "Compared to my leadership, you wouldn't stand a chance. Let's go." Mephiles took hold of Marx's wing, warping the two of them off the planet in a mist of deep indigo smoke.


The girl was tossed onto the center of a large straw nest, keeping a firm grip on the Earth Citrine as she backed away from the amphiptere approaching her. Her garnet eyes dilated in fear, her heart thumped hard and fast in her chest, her fingers trembled as she held tight to the stone.

"Nonononono!" the girl stammered, sweat dripping down her face as she shut her eyes. "I don't want you anywhere near me! Do not eat me!"

"Eat you…?" the amphiptere asked in a voice the girl did not expect. It sounded soft and a bit quiet upon delivery, unbeknownst to her. "I don't even know what you taste like. What makes you think I should eat something like you? What are you even supposed to be?"

"A… a toy," the girl answered as she sighed, looking at the gaps between the functional limbs in her own plastic fingers. "50% Wïsha, 50% Neomeat… 0% confidence. I mean, I tried to run away from you despite knowing I was meant to stay put until you left."

"I was just minding my own business without a care in the world," the amphiptere replied. "Your friends just got in the way as I tried to hunt down that bear-boar hybrid. They attacked me first."

"I feel like they didn't mean to," the girl assured. "I've only known them for a few minutes, but I have high beliefs that they are nice people… even if they are misunderstood."

"Ah, I see…" the amphiptere noted, starting to get a little comfortable with the victim they captured.

At the foot of the mountain, the two swordfighters landed on the slanted rocky ground with the utmost care. Cloud pulled out his Buster Sword, cutting the rope that tied their waists together. Link brushed the dust off his Sheikah Slate, hiking up the mountain as fast as he could.

"Y'know, I've gotten kinda curious as to why that dragon's even here in the first place," Cloud pointed out as he hiked behind the Champion of Hyrule. "Outside of Sozo and Hakai, the only remaining dragons were the kids sent to another dimension… unless that one just so happened to find a way back here…"

"That's kinda what I want to find out," Link noted. "Now come on. The sooner we rescue the hybrid girl, the sooner we can get back home."

Back at the nest, the girl and the amphiptere were getting friendly quite easily. The girl herself completely forgot why she was even in the nest, even though she kept a firm grip on the Earth Citrine. Meanwhile, the amphiptere was explaining all that happened back at the planet they grew up in, which mainly involved holidays, celebrations, and overall relaxing and pretty much uninteresting activities.

"And I guess that's why they call me Cirrus," the amphiptere finished. "Can you tell me your name?" The girl hung silent over what her name could be. As she knew, she never really had one.

"I… I don't know," the girl replied, holding her hands close to her bosom. "I could say I stayed there frozen in ice and gems for so long I forgot even my own name, but I can clearly remember my own past. The only names I do remember being given were 'freak,' 'loser,' and weirdo.' There were far worse and more vulgar names both sides called me, saying I'll never accomplish who I'm meant to be - anything but a nobody that fits in neither side. Sorry. Guess I opened up to a complete stranger."

"It's alright," Cirrus replied. The amphiptere admired the silky dark magenta hair the girl bore, as well as the pinkish-orange skin covering her face and arms. "You know… you do kinda look like a gem yourself. I'm thinking along the lines of a special kind of sapphire. A rare color so incredibly hard to find, almost like it's one of a kind…"

"Do you mean a padparadscha?" the girl corrected. "When I'm often left alone, I tend to go into caves to vent my frustrations and, as a result, study rocks and jewels to pass the time. Sometimes I feel like they're my only friends…"

"...I understand," Cirrus sighed, lowering her wings. "Speaking of which, can I call you Pappy? It's short for padparadscha, just in case you haven't figured that out…" The girl looked up at the amphiptere with emotions she could barely recognize, trying to get used to the fact that this mysterious winged serpentine made entirely out of flesh and bone had just given her a name.

"Pappy… I like that," the girl spoke with a soft tone, having just accepted it as her own identity. She soon heard Cloud Strife and Link climbing up the sharp rocks surrounding the crater that the nest was located in, and the two blond-haired swordsmen drew their weapons upon spotting the beast.

"No wait!" Pappy called out to the fighters, crawling out of the nest as she dropped the Earth Citrine without knowing. "Don't hurt them! They gave me a name, and it's Pappy!"

"Why would you let that dragon give you a name?" Cloud asked as Pappy ran over to them.

"Because you two numbskulls were trying to kill me when I was just hungry, but you probably already knew that considering it took you long enough to just… show up here," Cirrus growled, its body curling as they tried to look threatening to their visitors.

"Sorry about the affair," Link nervously chuckled, sliding the Master Sword back into the hilt. "It was a force of a self-defensive habit. We didn't really mean any harm. You can thank me for that…" The amphiptere silly glanced down with a suspicious stare, their coiled body slowly straightening out.

"It's alright," Cloud spoke for the Champion of Hyrule, placing the Buster Sword on his back. "He was just overly confident in himself. Don't be too hard on us now. I'll be the one to help him change for the better…"

"...If you say so," Cirrus gruffed silently, reaching into their nest to take out the Earth Citrine and spat it out in the group's direction through a soft gust of wind. "By the way, you might have dropped this. You guys can head back to your home base now." Cloud Strife wiped the dirt off the stone, giving it to Link.

"You two can go on ahead without me," Cloud Strife spoke, placing his hands on Link's and Pappy's shoulders. "I know you might need to answer more questions you have about that gem, and I kinda have questions to ask this dragon too. And um… Pappy? Hope Link can teach you a few things about confidence the RIGHT way."

"I hope he does," Pappy responded as she followed the Champion of Hyrule. As soon as Link and the girl climbed outside the crater, the 1st-class SOLDIER kept his glowing-cyan eyes on the amphiptere.

"What are you doing…?" Cirrus asked.

"I just need to know how you got here," Cloud Strife responded, folding his arms in front of his chest. "Tell me this, do you know anything about Sozo and Hakai, sons of Lord Ceresor?"

"I've heard the tales, and I was told to seek them out," the amphiptere answered, slithering around the ex-mercenary. "There were also these stones that made up some Diamond of Universes every solar system alignment here, and I think I found one of the gems…"

"Who told you to seek Sozo and Hakai out…?" Cloud asked.

"One of my friends," the amphiptere pointed out. "He went out harvesting berries outside the valley where us dragonkind live, and even though he was blind he had keen hearing and could listen to a conversation miles away. He was one of the few remaining dragons that mastered omniversal teleportation, and he… sent me here."

"Who, by chance, did those voices belong to…?"

"...I have no idea, but I have a gut feeling that they could be very dangerous if left alone to whatever sickening, twisted deeds they have for all of us…"


The dark indigo mist filled up a pitch-black room, by which Mephiles and Marx were warped into. Marx began to shiver upon feeling the dropping temperature, wrapping himself in his golden wings and flashing hexagon scales. The light the scales emitted was completely dim, but bright enough to see that the jester was standing on a floor of ice, and as a result see a cloud emerge from his mouth as he exhaled.

"M-M-M-M-Mephiles?" Marx stammered, shivering from the cold place. "W-W-Where do you th-th-th-think we are?"

"We're located within the Grave of the Wendigoes, a place locked deep beneath the bellows of the World of Balance," Mephiles explained, with the Insaniton shifting itself into a torch within the crystalline hedgehog's hand. The shapeshifted slime ignited itself, giving light to the room with no exits in sight. Marx looked around the place, seeing nothing but rusted cuffs and corpses of towering, rotting, reindeer-like humanoids either buried deep within the ice or almost submerged in it.

"The person we are looking for is straight ahead," Mephiles continued as he floated down the hallway. "When he and the statues were defeated, all the magic of this world vanished. The heroes of this world thought they put an end to his antics, but they only locked him up in a place where no mere mortal can survive. However, he's still holding onto that last remnant of magic, even after all these years."

"What? You two were old friends?" Marx asked.

"You could say that," Mephiles answered. "In fact, I often visit him from time to time, giving him the strength and confidence he needs to recharge what little magic remains inside him. It wasn't an easy process, but I promised him he would become the leader of an army of clowns just like him. Well… look where we are now." Mephiles stopped for a brief minute, with Marx standing still as a hope he wouldn't freeze if he didn't move a muscle in his body.

The two stood in front of some sort of cage made entirely out of ice, with chains cuffed to the prisoner's wrists and ankles. From just the torchlight the Insaniton was emitting on its own, it was just a silhouette. He laughed upon seeing the light from outside his prison cell, by which Marx was strangely comfortable with.

"Could it be? Is it he?" the silhouette of the prisoner asked with a lighthearted and flamboyant tone of voice. "If it isn't my old pal Mephiles! What brings you here to this fine and spacious establishment?"

"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Mephiles asked. "I've been away for about ten years, waiting for a certain group of warriors to save the multiverse. And I guess I should return the favor."

"Hello. What's this?" the prisoner asked, grabbing ahold of Marx's wing without consent from past the icy bars. "Did you bring me a new snack? Good old Mephiles, as always. I think I'll start with the feet. Wouldn't you agree?"

"Don't touch me! I̷̞̯̲̼͎ͮ͋͒̊̾ͤ̐ ̒̀͊͏͓̰̠̣͈̦̞W̷̳͈̻̥͇͚̽̑ͪͨ̍̅̿ͅIͣ̊ͭ̇L̡̍̓͌ͮL̦͛̕ ͈̄̊̋͌ͫC̶̺̮̼̲̪̟U̖͙̪͖̪͉͐̇̏̅͋ͤTͯ̔̏͐͛ͅ ̜͕̳͛̏̌ͥ̓͞Y̟͚̠̠̳̳ͦͭ͆O̝̞̘͔͊̏ͯ͊̽́͌̕U̶͕̥̘͙̝̜͌̏̌̒!͙̝̣̫ͪ͌͊̔͐ͅ!͕̘͖͆ͦͣ!͌̏ͨ" Marx snarled, squirming out of the prisoner's grip and distorting his voice as he flew away, firing a laser at the prison cell. The ice scattered across the small room, with Mephiles chuckling as Marx tried to calm his temper.

"Thanks for doing all the sweaty labor for me, Marx," Mephiles spoke with a soft tone, rubbing Marx's hat. "I should have freed our friend long ago…"

"Another jester like me?" the prisoner asked, with the sound of chains dragging across the icy floor. "With the colorful outfit, the smile, and everything? Oh, Mephiles. You shouldn't have…" Within the Insaniton's torchlight, Marx now saw the appearance of the prisoner locked up. The enigmatic entity wore an outfit mostly made out of yellow and red fabrics, his fashion choice a completely nauseating jumble of stripes and polka dots. A ruffle of red and white wrapped around his neck, along with a cape with yellow and red inner lining. His skin was a pale white, with reddened makeup gracing his eyelids and a smile with the notion that he's not one to play nice. Marx looked up at the tall clown in complete awe from just the appearance of his complicated design alone.

"I've been dying to get the perfect company around here for eons!" the chained-up jester laughed. "It's like my birthday all over again~! Oh, the things you and I are going to do together, little one!" The jester wiggled his finger in front of Marx's face, to which the cosmic clown bit down as a sign to tell the prisoner to back off.

"Don't get too comfortable around me, punk!" Marx growled, his appearance shifting his more adorable features again. "Name's Marx, and I'm not one to be played for a fool."

"Oh, but aren't we all the fools around here, little one?" the prisoner continued, levitating in midair as his back faced the ground. "They refer to me as the clown prince of crime, but you can call me… Kefka Palazzo. I feel like the two of us are going to get along perfectly like peanut butter and peanut allergies: a spectacular performance I won't miss for the world." Kefka heard the sound of a cuff drop to the icy floor, and he felt his free wrist shake off the soreness he had to sit through. A small chunk of the Insaniton was slithering around his body, tickling him ever so to the point where he giggled as it was lubricating the other rusted cuffs.

"I hope you're welcome, Kefka," Mephiles said.

"Are you kidding!? This is exactly what I dreamed of!" Kefka laughed, dancing around the air as he embraced the freedom to move around. "Now I can finally cause all the mischief I want!"

"Hey, that's my line!" Marx snarled.

"You will once everything goes according to plan," Mephiles reassured, walking over to the two jesters. "But first… how about a little game? For old time's sake?"

"Are you kidding?" Kefka asked, gently setting his feet on the ground. "Games are what I've been living up to for this very moment! What kind of game are we playing?"

"A simple collect-a-thon game," Mephiles answered, spawning a scroll in his hands. "You two are tasked in bringing more jesters of your kind to our home base, and Kefka: I'm counting on you to be a leader of the clowns."

"Yeah, sure," Marx growled with complete jealousy. "Make a guy I barely know the eldest sibling."

"But look at all the playmates we get to invite!" Kefka laughed, presenting the cosmic jester with the complete list of names for every jester in the multiverse.

"If the Super Smash Brothers can send out an invitation of Smash World to other universes, then I suppose I can do the same," Mephiles explained. "I'll be traversing the cosmos and searching for the souls that had been guarded by the Forgotten Gatekeeper. Don't come back to the Hidden Dragon Realm until you've checked off every name on that list. Understand?"

"This is going to be so much fun!" Kefka cried with joy, jogging in place as he couldn't handle the excitement.

"Well now… more folks who'd like to play alongside us, huh?" Marx asked, reading through the list. "Well, I guess I agree with the lover-boy here. This is gonna be fun…"

"Excellent," Mephiles chuckled. "The first name on the list is a court jester who knows how to have fun. If it wasn't for the magic barrier keeping him locked up, he would experience true freedom with you two right about now. Now then… I'll be off. Good luck." Mephiles and the Insaniton vanished in an indigo mist, leaving Kefka and Marx alone in the dark, cold room.

"Well now," Kefka giggled in a playful manner, stretching his fingers. "First, we're going to have to figure out which of these universes to go off too. It might be perfect for our jester friend. Where do you suggest we should go, little one? Just the suggestion. I'll take care of the rest." Marx read the name at the top of the list, his galaxy-filled eyes twinkling with the utmost curiosity as written in bold among the other names was… Jevil. The cosmic jester scratched his head as he read through the names on the list.

Dimentio.

Joka.

Dhoulmagus.

Reala.

Clownpiece.

Far too many names to count.

"Little one…?" Kefka asked, spooking Marx a bit. "Which destination are we going to? I'm not one to lollygag all day. Oh wait, I am."

"Alright, alright… give me time to figure out where we need to go before you send me out to get the essentials necessa-" Marx spoke before he was cut off by his own thought. "Hey, Kefka… have you heard of a place called the Skylands?"

Chapter 97: A Hat Through Time

Summary:

When a fighter from the ARMS universe arrived into the world of Smash and sneaks on-board a vacation, things take a turn for the strangest as the group encounters quirky character while helping an alien girl get back home.

Chapter Text

A spaceship made with an exterior of space-resistant wood and comet-resistant glass, complete with four boosters, a full-range satellite, and the shape of quite a comfortable home, flew through the depths of outer space at full speed via autopilot. A young girl was sleeping comfortably in her bed, with the power to the room turned off. There was a mountain of pillows next to her bed, as well as a desk and a drawer. The young girl had two light brown bangs on the sides of her head, with a ponytail as well. Alien numbers were displayed on her alarm clock, blaring the kid out of her bed once the numbers changed. The kid fell next to the desk with the alarm clock, where a big, purple top hat with a yellow stripe floated down onto her head.

"Good morning, and welcome to yet another day of space adventure!" the alarm clock's automated voice spoke as the kid with the hat yawned in a sleepy tone. "You are only 5... light-years away from your destination: home. The fuel tank is full and the ship is flying at full speed. Today's to-do list contains: waking up…" The girl had been sleeping in her clothes, which consisted of the following: a bright-yellow cape with a big zipper over a long-sleeved, purple shirt, as well as white pants and brown boots.

The kid with the hat jumped into a chair next to the desk, spinning around in circles before stopping herself at the edge of the desk. Her desk had a large computer monitor, a wireless keyboard, and a mouse, along with an electronic synth piano and drawing tablet hooked up to the monitor. She turned on her computer, logged in, and quickly spotted a notification appear in her monitor's mail.

"What's this?" she asked. She opened up her mail and checked the messages listed as spam. It had no known address she recognized, and it was only listed as "Smash World" with the Smash Ball emblem and everything. The message read as follows:


Dear Hat Kid,

If you have received this message, then you have just been notified about the whereabouts of the Super Smash Brothers. We are looking for brave warriors from across the multiverse, hiring new faces to establish peace across the stars. We know this statement sounds pretty corny, but you can do the following: hang out with people from other universes, engage in fun activities, and explore other worlds. You can come back to your own realm whenever, but you'll have to ask the veterans first.

Aside from that, we hope you'll join us shortly once you click the word RETURN. See you around, Hat Kid!

Sincerely, the Super Smash Brothers


Hat Kid thoroughly read through the message, utterly confused on how to respond to it. At first, she was about to delete the email, but then she heard a knock on the glass outside her room. It was faint and coming from the ship's living room, but she could still hear it. She quickly saved the email and closed her mail program before she turned off her computer and jumped off her chair.

She ran on over to a steel door, which slid open and allowed her to walk down a curved hallway with flowing streaks of neon lights. She made it to the other side of the hallway as she then entered the largest room in her ship, which was connected to the other rooms in the ship. The comet-resistant glass gave her a good view of the planet she was flying over, with a door attached to the glass locked from the inside. Several terminals decorated the area, including a pilot's chair with flight controls and a television with video game consoles hooked up to it. A large vault was located at the top of the living room, with a large monitor next to it that calculated the flight pattern to her home as well as how many of the hourglass-like artifacts she needed to get there.

Knocking on the glass door was a tall man with a mustache dressed in a blue outfit, wearing something that looked like an apron. Hat Kid approached the mysterious man, wondering how he even got to her ship in the first place. Without opening the door, the man spoke in a strange Italian accent.

"What is this? Flying boat? All boats need to pay toll in Mafia Town… even in space! Mafia come to collect." the man spoke, reluctant to get into the ship regardless. Hat Kid, not willing to give away any money she had left, pulled on the door and shut it from him. As she locked up the door and walked away to continue her business, the man from the mafia wasn't willing to take no for an answer. He slammed his fist into the glass with such a strong impact that a large hole opened up, creating a large vacuum into the outside of the ship. The man was blown away, and the Hat Kid was dragged off her feet by the strong force of gravity pulling her out of the living room and into the outer atmosphere of the planet she was flying over. To add insult to injury, the space vacuum created by the mafia man opened up the vault containing all the hourglass objects needed to power Hat Kid's spaceship, flying past her as she fell.

The Hat Kid watched as each and every one of those relics fell across the mysterious planet like a shower of twinkling stars, and her expression changed to give her a sense of awareness to do whatever it takes to gather up those hourglasses and repower her ship.


With the morning sun rising over the crystal-blue seas, Sonic the Hedgehog got a nice glimpse of the golden rays shining as he watched it from a cliffside near a mountain. His emerald eyes twinkled with wonder as he gazed away from the sun's brightness, having already seen this multiple times to know how it goes. He gently rubbed his eyes, feeling none of the scars he got than what happened before.

"If what Gaster said is true, then maybe I might not have the ability to learn these elemental powers at all…" Sonic sighed, clearly thinking about something not related to the sun whatsoever. "But how did I even learn how to set the spirit of the Earth Element free… or even understand what that nutcracker abomination said to me? I was singing at the thing about how no one can hold me down and… I still don't understand how the friends from my universe arrived here beforehand. I dunno why… but I have this underlying fear it had something to do with me out of... guilt." Sonic began to think again about the zombies he saw in his vision. He needed to retrace his steps. Everyone else got their memories recovered, and it didn't take much. So why couldn't Sonic remember much from his life outside of saving his universe time and time again from the likes of Dr. Eggman and some other crooks the mustached man worked with? Is this what it felt like after a trophy during the First Subspace War came back from dormancy?

Whatever those feelings were… they were somehow tied to his past life.

"Hm… Recently, I've heard about the discovery about an old castle a few of my pals found," Sonic continued. "Better run over there and see what's up." The blue hedgehog disappeared in a streak of blue lightning, running across the landscape without a care in the world. Upon crossing the bridge connecting the Smash Fortress to the land across the shallow lake, Sonic skidded until his feet were blazing with blue flames. He stopped at the entrance of the castle, opening the door as quietly as possible so he could drop in for a visit.

"Hello?" Sonic asked with the notion that someone was living in this humongous castle, his voice echoing through the huge wing. The blue devil went up the two-way staircase and ended up at the hallway of the multiple bedrooms at the first floor. Sonic slowed down as he spotted the Champion of Hyrule showing Pappy the room he'll be sleeping in.

"Oh! Sonic," Link called out, having just noticed the blue hedgehog peeking his head through the door. "I didn't know you were gonna be here."

"Neither did I," Sonic responded, squeezing through the door. "Let me guess… you moving here?"

"Figured, since I'll be staying here whenever I'm visiting this world in my free time," Link answered. "Oh wait… I'd like you to get acquainted with Pappy before anything else. She's hanging out with me until Cloud gets here. I'll be looking around the rest of the fortress. It's bigger than anything I've ever seen…" The Champion of Hyrule left the room, leaving Pappy alone with the blue rodent.

"So, uh… do you come here often?" Sonic asked, trying to keep his gaze away from Pappy to avoid embarrassment.

"Nope," Pappy answered. "I just woke up hours ago."

"Hours ago?" Sonic asked again. "Must be tough sleeping for thousands of years by your lonesome…"

"Yep," Pappy replied. "At that point, I didn't even know I was asleep for that long… Hope I can make up for the years I missed out on…" The blue hedgehog's keen hearing picked up, and he learned that there was someone just outside the castle knocking on the double door.

"Be right back one second," Sonic assured, zipping away from the conversation in a gust of wind and a blue streak. He pulled open the door at the entrance, peeking his head out the door.

"Figured you'd show up here," Fox McCloud spoke. "I guess that's what you can expect from the fastest thing alive…" Sonic hugged the Star Fox mercenary with a welcoming gesture, aware that he brought a few pals along with him: Falco, Wolf, Duck Hunt, Cloud, Mii Brawler, Mario, Rosalina and a few Lumas, and Banjo & Kazooie with a half-awake Steve. However, there was also another face from the universe of the Artificial Recoiling Mutation Symbiosis Gene.

"Hey, everyone!" a familiar voice laughed. She seemed to be the fighter from the Ramen Bowl, with the orange beanie, noodle arms, and Chinese heritage. "...Is this the right place? I've heard a lot about something called a 'Smash World' and I was wondering if I could come here."

"Woah," Sonic chuckled as he stared at the newcomer. "Hey, Mario. Do you know about this chick showing up?"

"No we didn't," Mario responded, just as surprised as the blue hedgehog was. "She just kinda… showed up in the Legacy, said she used the pellet Little Mac and the others gave everyone in the ARMS League. So… go ahead and introduce yourself."

"My name's Min Min, age 18 and height 5'5," the newcomer began with excitement in her voice. "I help run the Mintendo Noodle House with my family, I come from China, I utilize kicks and can transform both my ARMS into dragons-"

"Okay, I think that's enough," Cloud chuckled, placing his hand on Min Min's chest. "Regardless, we welcome everyone with open arms… uh, no pun intended. Anyways, hope you enjoy your stay." Min Min squeed excitedly, running past Sonic and heading inside the Smash Fortress.

"Wow!" the ramen bomber gasped in wonder and awe at the large place. "This place sure is huge! We didn't have anything like that at the ARMS League!"

"Dante and the Koopalings told us about the castle," Mario chuckled before explaining as the other fighters entered through the door. "After what happened with Isabelle, we can safely say we can stay around for a while. See what we can find since this place looks like it has a bunch of secrets. If anything goes wrong and we're sucked into another dimension… well, we already came prepared with a few additional spares." The red plumber pulled out a handful of the white pellets few of the Smashers carried around, just showcasing what they might do in case an accident occurred.

"Ah, so you're thinking ahead, huh?" Sonic asked, tapping his own head. "Clever…"

"We're gonna be looking around the place," Falco called out once he, Fox, and Wolf got inside. "We'll let you know once we find something interesting…"

"Mewtwo gave us an exception to not touching Steve for three days and let us move him here," Banjo told the blue hedgehog, holding Steve by the waist and carrying him inside. "From what it's worth, it's better for him to rest here."

"Yeah, it's far more spacious than we thought," Kazooie replied.

"Looks like a place where we can kick back and relax," Sieg chuckled as Rosalina and her Lumas flew through the open door. "Wait till we tell everyone else about this place. It's sure to knock their socks off."

"Way ahead of you and Izzy," Sonic replied. Mario entered through the door, and Sonic stepped outside to meet face-to-face with the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"She's quite the gal, huh?" Cloud asked, obviously mentioning the martial artist that arrived via teleportation. "I dunno what the Assist Trophies and a few others went up against when looking for the fighter located in that exact universe, but I'm kinda suspicious that she might be the one we're looking for…"

"What do you mean?" Sonic asked.

"Hardly any of us know her, and yet she looks like a solid contender," the ex-mercenary continued. "And… I don't if something happened, but I am a hundred percent certain she was a Spirit before. I mean, she doesn't even remember being here, along with everyone else. So what is she doing here?"

"Beats me," the blue hedgehog replied, closing his eyes and placing his hands behind his head. "I've been questioning myself recently, and I think it had to do with staying behind til… I dunno… I head over to a spaceship that can travel past the stars and maybe other universes."

"...What about that ring the Master Hand got from you to power up the transporter?" Cloud suggested. "You say it can take you to anywhere you think of, since your race is so advanced. Perhaps you can use that to find your way back home."

"Oh, I've tried once," Sonic replied. "Last time I used it, it was after we began fixing a few things before launching the Smash World project and were testing out the pellets we made for everyone to return back to the Legacy. I tested the machine again for myself, only this time I thought of my own world. I thought of tiled grass, sunflowers, loop-de-loops, springs, Eggman's robots… my friends from both in Mobius and my universe's version of Earth, where Baldy McNosehair came from."

"And what happened?" Cloud questioned, to which the blue hedgehog's expression changed from casual to worrying in the blink of an eye. "Did you get to the world you desire?" Sonic's eyes began to dilate a bit, sweat dripping off his face and furry belly. The blue hedgehog licked his dry lips, unknowing of what to say.

"I did, and I made sure to remember all those special details," Sonic answered.

"...So why are you nervous?" Cloud Strife added, noticing that the blue blur was twiddling his fingers.

"I have no idea…" Sonic responded, his voice becoming more hitched. "By the time I arrived, it looked like nothing I thought of in the back of my head. The sky was dyed with the redness of blood, its bleak color blocking out the sky. Cobblestone streets were laid into desolate and ruin, with signs bent and crushed. Mighty buildings were toppled over, their shattered glass scattering out onto the ground. There was this stench that plagued the air, and the planet itself was completely devoid of life. At first, I thought the machine was acting up again until I remembered no matter what… the rings I used were always taking anyone to the closest image of the world anyone can think of. That world in no way looked like Mobius. I went back before I lost my mind any further. It's as if the guy I'm encountering, this creepy dude named Gaster, is trying to make sure I go about with my normal life. I think he might be bipolar, at this point because there are a ton of things he removed my knowledge of… and I think the memory of what happened in my timeline was taken away from me…"

"...Who's Gaster?" Cloud asked, growing more suspicious of what Sonic was talking about.

"So… anything happened recently?" Sonic asked, changing the topic at hand before things got any worse for him. "Any word on the universe filled with the… determination thing?"

"You mean anything outside of that girl waking up from her sleep, as well as how my homeworld is doing well without me around 24/7?" Cloud replied with a question, trying his best to keep the conversation normal. "Nothing much… outside of Link and I confronting another dragon that's not Sozo or Hakai…" The blue hedgehog's face lit up in surprise, completely forgetting what he just said earlier for the time being. The idea that Cloud Strife himself spoke of another dragon that was in no way related to the Hands seemed to amaze him.

"Another dragon…?" Sonic asked with wonder in his voice. "Could they be one of the survivors established in Ultima's flashback?"

"Depends, or their ancestors could be established as the survivors," Cloud replied. "Makes logical sense, considering that said dragon had no recollection of this world. To answer your question on what exactly happened back at that ARMS universe, let's just say that Little Mac told us beforehand that the other guys will be dropping in soon. Hopefully by then, we can find out who the person we're looking for is… if it isn't obvious already with the folk that came from that universe. Oh - by the way, Sozo will be arriving soon. He wants to take you somewhere to train you (or whatever he wants to do with you), and after the dragon we call Cirrus told him about Pappy the ex-general's willing to help her too. I gave him the Earth Citrine, in case someone wants to steal it again."

"...I think I can manage the big guy," Sonic spoke with anticipation. "After all, I rekindled the spirit of the Earth Element within me and opened the chamber to Pappy… is that what you're calling her?"

"We've all heard," Cloud Strife noted with a soft nasal sigh as he walked into the Smash Fortress. "Just… try not to get into trouble. I'll let Pappy know. Wait outside for the Master Hand, okay?"

"You can count on me, pal!" the blue hedgehog chuckled, giving a thumbs up and a wink with his right eye. "Promise I won't get into trouble!" Once the blue devil entered inside the Smash Fortress once more, Cloud heard the sound of the Master Hand teleporting behind him and transforming back into his draconic form.

"Any word on Sonic and the toy hybrid?" Sozo asked.

"They'll be meeting with you shortly," the 1st-class SOLDIER answered with a short reply. "If you say that Sonic was tortured during his time with Dharkon, then it might be best to jog his memory of how the Rainbolements worked for him. I'll let Pappy know." Cloud then entered inside the huge castle, closing the front door in the process. However, he kept that thought of the unknown entity Sonic mentioned only by name in his head before the belief alone left his mind shortly after.


The two animals that made up Duck Hunt wandered through the small islands in the garden, with the dog sniffing the ground for any secrets. He bumped his black nose against one of the platforms stuck in the center of one of the islands, backing away once he felt the edge on the hard stone path. The duck of the team flapped his wings, ruffling his feathers in curiosity on the strange platform.

"You might wanna be-a careful there, boys," Mario called out from the entrance to the garden. The Duck Hunt duo turned their heads towards the voice of the red plumber, spotting him walk down the stairs.

"Last I heard, Isabelle accidentally set one off and got transported to another universe," Mario continued. "Seems like it can send other people off to worlds that we have no idea exist. We marked one of the islands to give you the idea its platform is a gateway to a world of demons crossing over to Earth-a." The dog and the duck glanced over to one of the islands next to them, seeing a holographic sign a few inches off the dormant platform labeled "DOOM".

"If you want to go over to this realm, that's-a fine by us," Mario went on, walking across the bridge to get to Duck Hunt. "But you're going to need a few teammates if you want to explore that world… as well as this." Mario handed the two animals one of the white pellets, to which the duck pecked it off the white glove. The seed itself was big enough to not even fit in the duck's throat, but the water avian didn't seem to mind as he held the object in his beak regardless.

"I guess we better wait until a couple more pals show up," Mario noted. "You two stay here like good boys and don't leave off to that world now…" As Mario jumped across the stairs and entered inside the castle, the dog looked behind himself and glanced down at the platform covered in moss. Did a platform like that lead to another world? Even the duck became curious about where they might go with their pals. Would they arrive in a realm of imagination and wonder or a universe filled with nightmares?

Meanwhile, Min Min got a good tour of the new citadel, a smile of wonder on her face as she made her way to the kitchen located within the lower wings of the castle. Stones in irregular patterns tiled the whole floor, and there was a large counter table in the middle of the room. Drawers filled with dusty silverware and utensils surrounded said table. The ramen bomber checked the cupboards and sinks to find they were organized and cleared out, with the pots and pans organized and stacked in both places. However, when she checked the food storage it was completely empty… much to her disappointment.

"Strange… Well, I guess we can always stock up on these things," Min Min noted, shutting the door to the storage. She made her way back to the main hall in the fortress, having only now noticed the large mosaic on the floor. Min Min looked down and admired the story it told, of the dragons emerging from the caves and the golden tree bearing the jewels that made the Diamond of Universes. It was something she had never really seen before. She wanted to learn more about this planet and what secrets it held. She was regarded by her family as an adventurous young lady, far more so than the likes of Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Helix, Twintelle, Mechanica, and even the likes of Max Brass and Dr. Coyle… but where should she go?

Min Min suddenly caught Mario chatting with Banjo & Kazooie as well as the Brawler Ultimate Reborn the second she walked out of the room, hiding behind one of the pillars to eavesdrop on the conversation.

"Looks like the dog and duck want to play in another world," Mario explained, offering a couple of the white pellets. "They're waiting for us out in the garden, and I'm kinda wondering if you three could accompany us as we head out to a random universe."

"Sure," Sieg replied, taking a pellet from the red plumber's hand. "I mean, if that's what you want. I'm down with it."

"But we've got a bit of a problem," Banjo pointed out. "I think it has something to do with the girl who came with us."

"Who? Min Min?" Kazooie asked, swiping the second pellet with her wing and placing it in one of the pockets the blue backpack she lived in came along with. "We have no idea why Min Min even wanted to visit us in the first place. She doesn't even remember being here. Last we checked, she was just another Spirit in dire need of our help."

"Kazooie, will you just relax?" Sieg assured. "Galeem and Dharkon have been defeated, everyone returned home with no memory of ever being here, end of story. All we're doing right now is fixing the messes left behind and see who else is worthy of becoming a fighter."

"Okay then," Mario responded, placing his pellet in his overalls. "I'll be in the garden. The other Smashers can look after each other, including Min Min." The ramen bomber pulled her noodle-shaped bangs out of her face, wondering what that Breegull meant by Min Min having once been a Spirit. The only other person she felt might have a close connection to the fighters was Spring Man, but even then… he never disappeared off the face of the earth, did he? She tiptoed behind the bear-and-bird duo and the Mii Brawler, her footsteps as light as possible as she followed the fighters to see where they would go. Before any of them spotted Min Min the second she stepped outside, the ramen bomber quickly jumped high into the air by placing her unequipped hands on the ground and landing on top of the nearest tower.

"Sup?" Sieg spoke from the stairway, popping his knuckles. "Wherever we're going, I'm hoping to kick some ass as soon as possible. It's been a while since I've used these meat hooks for punching anything that's not a sandbag."

"So this is where you want to go, wherever it may lead?" Mario asked Duck Hunt as he approached the garden island. "We might find a fighter within that realm, but who knows?" The dog barked happily while wagging his tail, unknowingly stepping onto the platform behind him and his duck companion. The Duck Hunt dog backed away once the platform ascended a few feet off the ground, generating a blue vortex on top.

"Looks like this is where the dog and duck are willing to travel to," Kazooie added, showing the emotion of surprise as she looked up at the blue vortex just sitting there. "I don't know if they made the right choice…"

"Only one way to find out," Sieg replied, stretching his arms. "I've been meaning to get out of the craphole of an apartment I was cooped up in for months and besides… Maybe this 'traveling to other universes' shtick doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, I was one of the only few people that agreed to starting Smash World. You can thank me later."

"Okey-dokey," Mario added, hopping onto the glowing platform. "You all go in one at a time, okay?" The red plumber vanished in a blue flash inside the vortex, disappearing from the fighters. The Duck Hunt dog was lifted up onto the platform by his duck companion, with the bear-and-bird duo following behind. The Mii Brawler disappeared as well once he jumped onto the platform, with no one left behind in the garden except for the challenger from the ARMS League.

The second the coast was clear, Min Min jumped off the tower and softly landed on the ground with a martial art pose. She glanced left and right to make sure no one was around the garden, and she found the portal to the other realm just in time before it was about to close. Min Min slipped on the ARMS she carried along with her, equipping the Dragon ARM in her left hand and a Megawatt ARM in her right while double-checking her supplies to see if she also had a Ramram ARM and a Dragon ARM. After she got prepared, Min Min dashed across the bridge towards the closing vortex, jumping in at the last second. Wherever it might take her, it was bound to have a lasting impact on the ramen bomber.


"Oh… mamma mia…" Mario was slowly opening up his eyes, feeling the warm sun of the other world he appeared in. He seemed to have landed in a plaza, which was one of the main four sections of an island split apart by a river with a geyser that spat continuously located in the center. The red plumber picked up his cap, dusting it off and popping it on his head.

"Banjo? Kazooie?" Mario called out, wandering around the plaza while not paying attention to the strange, identical men wandering around him. "Sieg? Duck Hunt? Where did you guys-a go?" The red plumber accidentally bumped into one of the blue-clothed men populating the town, falling down onto his bottom. That man Mario ran into seemed to be carrying a strange hourglass with him, and he glared down at the short plumber with a stare that could freeze anyone in place.

"What you doing here, strange man?" the figure asked.

"Ah~! Nothing! Nothing! I was just looking for my friends," Mario stammered, stepping back to avoid any conflict from the stranger. "That's a strange relic you've got there." The red plumber was grabbed by the collar on his red undershirt, pulled close to the face of the man he accidentally threatened.

"First strange artifacts rain from sky, now funny men wander around Mafia Town!" the mafia member snarled, his breath heating up Mario's face. "Anyone who set foot in Mafia Town without paying toll have to answer to Boss! Just like little girl looking for artifacts who also causing ruckus to mafia!" A strange figure wielding an umbrella whacked the mafia member behind the head, making said member vanish in a puff of white smoke.

"It's her!" one of the onlooking Mafia Gang members called out upon spotting the girl that attacked the crook holding Mario hostage. "Strange kid with purple hat!"

"She's not welcome in Mafia Town," another member proclaimed as the mafia members within the plaza surrounded Mario and Hat Kid. "Get child AND small man in red!"

"Let's go!" Hat Kid exclaimed, grabbing the hourglass object that the mafia racketeer was carrying around. She hooked Mario away from the mafia criminals that were about to tackle him with the curved handle of her umbrella, forcing the red plumber to run behind the alien girl. A chase across the plaza ensued, with multiple of the mafia gangsters chasing after them.

"On your right! Knock them down!" Hat Kid reminded Mario just as she turned right around a corner. Mario saw a stack of barrels that the girl pointed out, and he quickly pulled one of the barrels from the bottom and sent them tumbling down on top of the mafia goons. The Hat Kid began wall-jumping between the buildings within the alleyway, and Mario copied a similar movement to get to the top of the two edifices.

"Um… thanks for saving me back there," Mario told the kid with the hat as he climbed onto the roof. "Y'know, I could've dealt-a with the man myself, but you know what I'm getting. Hello…?" At the time of this conversation, Mario had noticed the Hat Kid was looking up at some sort of large structure built atop the flowing geyser. Her eyes glittered with a hint of mischievousness, with just the look that says "watch out, anyone standing in my way." It was only with Mario talking to her that she focused her attention on who she saved.

"Oh! Sorry. I… didn't see you there," Hat Kid replied with a tint of bashfulness in her voice. "It's kinda difficult for me making new friends, to be honest. And I… definitely shouldn't be talking much."

"How come?" Mario asked.

"Premise is this: I crashed into this town after one of these guys wanted to take my money and pay something called a 'toll,'" Hat Kid replied, averting her gaze from Mario. "Next thing I know, I landed here recollecting my Time Pieces from this Mafia of Cooks. I've got a few so far." Hat Kid opened up her cloak, revealing all the hourglass relics she collected. "Sorry. I just have this nasty habit of opening up to strangers…"

"It's alright," Mario replied. "Maybe I can help you get those Time Pieces?" Hat Kid nodded, still looking for a way to get up to the headquarters built on top of the geyser. Mario suddenly spotted a cannon on top of a house just across a part of the island, which was launching multiple mafia members to the headquarters.

"Maybe we can take one of those cannons?" Mario suggested. "We can take out some of those mafia members and head to where you need to go… wherever it is." The Hat Kid's face lit up in delight as she looked where the red plumber pointed, with a look ready to spread some chaos upon the mafia.

"Brilliant!" Hat Kid giggled, hugging Mario tightly. "Why didn't I think of that before? Come with me!" The girl grabbed hold of the red plumber's hand, dragging him with her as she hopped across the rooftops towards the cannon. Mario slipped out of her grip, just simply running behind her.

"By the way, my name's-a Mario," Mario spoke. "Do you think you can tell me yours?"

"I'm… not really comfortable sharing my personal information with anyone, including new friends like that resident who calls herself Mustache Girl," Hat Kid replied, whacking a mafia member off one of the roofs with her trusty umbrella. "She's willing to rid this island of this Mafia Gang once and for all by the most gruesome, gory means necessary. Thinking about what she might do just makes me sick."

"Uh… okay," Mario noted. "Can I at least call you by something you're most comfortable with?"

"Hat Kid," the girl added, having just made it with Mario onto the platform with the cannon. The mafia members controlling the cannon detected the two short fighters, and they charged straight for them. Mario jumped over Hat Kid's head, performing a flaming kick that knocked the gangsters off the platform.

"Ooh! Are you a pyromaniac too?" Hat Kid asked before looking away shyly. "Sorry. I'm just… so excited. Maybe with you around, this whole mission of getting my Time Pieces back should go off without a hitch."

"Yeah, I-a guess so," Mario replied, opening up the cannon and letting Hat Kid in before shutting it. The red plumber pulled on the lever and fired the cannon with Hat Kid inside, launching her straight to the headquarters atop the geyser. Mario then repositioned the lever and climbed into the cannon and kicked the lever, quickly shutting the cannon just as soon as he felt it rumbling. The red plumber soon flew straight at the Mafia's Headquarters, landing in front of the open entrance next to Hat Kid.

From what the two saw, the entrance was blocked by the hitmen of the Mafia of Cooks. It was clear from the very beginning that the Hat Kid's arrival spelled trouble for the mafia. The two fighters hid behind a nearby bush, trying to look for a way into the HQ until they heard a whispering voice.

"Pst! Up here!" a voice upon the rooftop called to them. Peeking over the rooftop seemed to be a blond-haired girl wearing a red hooded cape marked with a star medallion. She wore a rose-colored tunic and had loose pigtails, but what was strangest of all was the fact that she had a mustache on her face.

"Is that-a Mustache Girl, the obvious-looking... child-a you mentioned?" Hat Kid glanced back at Mario, nodding as a response to his question.

"Hurry, before the bad guys suspect anything," Mustache Girl whispered, lowering a rope ladder down for the red plumber and the alien child to climb up. After the two climbed up the ladder before one of the mafia members suspected anything.

"Who's that fat hobo you brought with you?" Mustache Girl asked a bit louder as she noticed Mario was dragged along for the wild ride. Mario looked down at his own plump body type, patting his stomach in the embarrassment that he was called "fat" because of the shape alone.

"No need to answer," Mustache Girl continued despite Hat Kid not bothering to say anything. "Listen: I've managed to snoop around the Mafia's HQ to get a map of the building's vent system. By the time we enter and follow the directions in this parchment, we'll end up in the Mafia Boss's throne room. That way, we'll strike him down and drive the mafia away from the island. They're going to regret the day they'll see their boss stuffed into a blender once we're through with them!" Hat Kid simply gagged at the thought, clasping her hands over her mouth.

"So… enter the vents, huh?" Mario asked. "And… stuff the leader into a blender?"

"Precisely," Mustache Girl replied, lifting off the lid on the roof so they could enter the vent system. "Time and time again, I've been trying to get the mafia out of this town through a rebellion among the townsfolk. But not of them won't go up against the criminals let alone get captured. Maybe with you around, it could be an entirely different story…" Mario ignited a small fireball in his hand as a means of lighting the way through the vent system.

"Hm… looks like you've got fire powers, which could prove useful in burning down the mafia goons," Mustache Girl chuckled as soon as she saw the red plumber test out the flame in his hand. "Oh, I can hear their screams of eternal torment ringing throughout the homes they claimed for themselves in this hometown, crying and begging for mercy like they're not the bad guys. You! Fat man! Get down to the vents. You'll be serving as our light…" The red plumber was clearly suspicious about the girl he just met, but he squeezed through the hole in the roof and landed in one of the vents. Mustache Girl and Hat Kid jumped in behind Mario, with the red-hooded child pulling out the map. The vent itself was big enough for the three teammates to stand up straight, which should provide a feeling of ease if they were going to get to the throne room of the Mafia Boss.

"Alright. We continue straight forward, take a left, two rights, another left, and slide down until we land on the Mafia Boss's face… or into a trap of sorts," Mustache Girl explained, straightening out her map as Mario's flame provided good illumination. "Either way, bigger risk usually equals better reward, right?" The two girls followed behind the red plumber as he listened to the directions Mustache Girl was giving her.

"So… keep in mind I'm not going to stay here in this universe forever," Mario pointed out to Hat Kid and Mustache Girl. "At least not until I unite with Sieg, Banjo & Kazooie, and Duck Hunt. There was also this newcomer we met back at the Smash Fortress who calls herself Min Min, and I'm glad she's back in the castle with her other friends. I don't-a know why, but something about Min Min visiting us so suddenly when we have only a little knowledge of the individual from the universe she came from reeks of high suspicions…" Hat Kid was confused but interested, while Mustache Girl simply stared at Mario with as much curiosity as the child behind her.

"Um… how random, I guess," Mustache Girl fibbed, keeping the thought of that person from another universe in the corners of her deepest attentiveness inside her head for another time. "But we can worry about rescuing your friends later. Right now, we're going to put an end to the mafia democracy plaguing this town once and for all." Mario stopped walking for a brief moment, with Mustache Girl and Hat Kid bumping into him.

"What's the hold-up?" Mustache Girl asked, a little irritated. "Go on. Walk straight ahead."

"I would if I could, but…" Mario answered, pointing downward in front of his feet. When the two girls peeked behind him, they gazed into what appeared to be a dark abyss with a sudden drop.

"That's exactly where we need to go!" Mustache Girl chuckled. "Now come on! Let's move!" Mustache Girl pushed the red plumber, knocking him straight into the chute. As the red plumber hollered while sliding down the dark vent, Mustache Girl rolled up the map and jumped down. Hat Kid gulped as she held on tight to the edge of the floor before she let go and followed her two friends.


Inside a room filled with golden coins and erect statues, a pair of gates opened up and two of the mafia gangsters walked straight ahead with a sack over the shoulder of one of them. The sack was struggling and kicking, with the person trapped inside screaming obscenities. The mafia members stopped in front of a throne, where the man the mafia considered their leader sat in as the ruler of Mafia Town.

The Mafia Boss was shorter than the average mafia crook, with larger eyes, nose, and a mustache all on a smaller face. His clothing consisted of striped blue trousers, a white shirt covered by a detailed red coat, and a tall hat upon his head. He was tossing one of the many Time Pieces his goons collected and catching again, looking at the mafia members once they stopped at his feet.

"Speak. What news does the Mafia bring?" the Mafia Boss asked, curious as to who his men brought into his throne room.

"Mafia bring intruder from outside headquarters," one of the ruffians answered.

"Intruder just appeared inside lobby like ghost, but Mafia gained upper hand," the other thug replied, unable to contain the person inside the sack any longer. Min Min emerged from the sack, punching the two mafia criminals in their faces.

"Come on!" Min Min snarled, pulling up her ARMS during the time that more of the mafia hoodlums marched into the throne room. "You want a piece of me!?"

"Stand down!" the Mafia Boss spoke in a stern voice, commanding the Mafia Gang to back off without any sudden movements. "All of you. I request to speak to the intruder without any of you getting involved."

"Getting involved? Your minions attacked me!" Min Min objected.

"Only because you ended up at the wrong place in the wrong time," the Mafia Boss responded, getting up from his throne and slowly walking towards the ramen bomber. "No one enters Mafia Town without leaving in one piece."

"Say that to my face," Min Min replied, moving her ARMS close to her chest. "These ARMS can crack your skulls open, and I'm not afraid to use them! Bring it on already!"

"We'll see about that, young lady" the Mafia Boss chuckled, pulling out a cleaver for each of his hands. "We don't even know you, but your attitude is one we utterly dislike! If it's a fight you want, then it's a fight you shall receive. And I have these magical hourglasses to aid me in luck." Behind the Mafia Boss came the sound of dull thudding against the wall's vent lid, with the voices of Mario, Mustache Girl, and Hat Kid echoing throughout the throne room as they broke out of the air duct and landed behind the Mafia Boss. The three companions stood up once they found out they were in the middle of a pre-fight.

"Mafia Boss!" Mustache Girl shouted.

"The girl with the shag!" the Mafia Boss growled.

"The Mafia!" Hat Kid gasped.

"Little hat-wearing girl!" one of the mafia ruffians called out.

"Mario?" Min Min questioned.

"Min Min?" Mario asked.

"Get them!" the Mafia Boss commanded. The Mafia Gang closed in on the four individuals, ready to tackle them to the ground. Min Min dragged out her Dragon ARM, shooting out a powerful laser that knocked out the first few members of the mafia. Mario was jumping between multiple mafia men while kicking them and launching fireballs at a few more, making them explode into white dust. Hat Kid and Mustache Girl took care of the rest, with Hat Kid whacking the incoming mafia horde with her umbrella while Mustache Girl punched the downed minions in the faces.

"Whoever takes down the kid with the hat and her sniveling friends gets an additional raise," the Mafia Boss spoke, quickly grabbing hold of Min Min's extended Dragon ARM and pulling the ramen bomber straight up to his face while she whacked a few mafia members with her Megawatt. "But leave the masked woman to me." Min Min quickly switched between weapons with her right ARM, pulling out a second Dragon ARM and shooting a laser straight at his ears. However, the attack seemed to have no effect on the crook himself. The Mafia Boss swung his cleavers at Min Min, trying his best to hit her as she quickly jumped out of the way.

"Min Min! What are you doing here!?" Mario asked once he took out enough mafia gangsters to let Mustache Girl and Hat Kid take care of the rest. "I thought you were back at the Smash Fortress!"

"Sorry, Mario! Couldn't resist coming with you guys!" Min Min replied, ducking from the Mafia Boss's swings. "Besides, shouldn't a newcomer tag along on a dangerous adventure to get the jest of what they're going to have to deal with in the future?"

"If you're going to attack the Mafia Boss, he has to turn blue!" Mustache Girl told the Chinese ARMS fighter as she performed an uppercut on yet another incoming mafia member. "Only then can you attack him!"

"Thanks for the information!" the ramen bomber replied, trying her best to hit the short but quick mafia leader while avoiding his large chopping knives like a game of limbo. Just when the mafia leader was about to hit her with cleavers sparkling with electricity, Min Min felt something like her back. Once she saw one of the Mafia Boss's cleavers attempt to chop her head off, the ARMS fighter quickly thrusted herself into the air from the floor and caught on tight to one of the golden curtains located behind the Mafia Boss's throne.

The Mafia Boss began to flash with a blue outline at this time, unaware that he was about to take damage shortly after he hit something that was behind Min Min. That something just so happened to be a mechanical lighting box, and the Mafia Boss was electrocuted as a result. As Mario, Hat Kid, and Mustache Girl took down the last incoming mafia crook, the lights shut off and they began to hear the walls tumble down around them. An explosive burst concocted in front of the Mafia Boss's face, igniting the golden curtain Min Min was clutching onto.

The ramen bomber quickly jumped off the curtain, landing on the ground before the fire caught up to her. She landed right next to Mario, stamping out a small flame beside her feet. The surviving mafia knew the best way out was to flee, and they ran away through the crumbling walls of the throne room. Once everything fell apart, Mario, Min Min, Hat Kid, and Mustache Girl shielded their eyes when bright spotlights bathed them. To their left, a crowd of mafia members were whistling and cheering as they were on a stage filled with cardboard trees, clouds, and a wooden structure with more mafia goons standing on it in the background. Hat Kid looked around her current environment, trying to find some sort of a control booth to seize control of what appeared to be a play… or at the very least find some sandbags to drop upon the play and ruin the performance for the mafia.

"You…!" the Mafia Boss roared, crawling out of the rubble covered in ashes with the cleavers in his hands. "You degenerate pigs are ruining everything!"

"You're the one who ruined everything in the first place! Let's get him!" Mustache Girl shouted, with Mario and Min Min charging straight towards the Mafia Boss. Chaos began to take place on the stage, with the two fighters attacking the Mafia Boss as he unleashed yellow and red charges as well as spinning cleavers.

"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Mustache Girl asked. Hat Kid made eye contact with her friend and nodded, aware that Mustache Girl was planning to use some of the sandbags the Mafia Gang was dropping over their heads and attempting to crush them.

"Hey! Noodle lady! We need a boost onto the top frames of the stage!" Mustache Girl called out. Min Min stopped fighting for a brief moment, backing away and letting Mario deal with the ground-pounding Mafia Boss himself.

"On it!" Min Min answered quickly without any second thoughts, activating the Ramram ARM on her right hand and launched it at one of the wooden boards above the stage. The flaming ARM wrapped around the board.

"Climb up, while you still can," Min Min added, firing her left Dragon ARM's laser at the Mafia Boss. "I don't know how long Mario and I can keep this thug distracted!" Mustache Girl grabbed onto the rope connecting the Ramram ARM to Min Min, and Hat Kid followed behind as the two girls scaled up the rope until they climbed onto the board. The mafia goons were tossing a barrage of sandbags by their boss's orders, unaware of the two girls with them until it was too late.

"The girls!" one Mafia Gang resident shouted. The mafia stopped what they were doing and surrounded Hat Kid and Mustache Girl.

"We've got company!" Mustache Girl exclaimed, kicking a nearby mafia member in the face. "You figure out what to do with all these sandbags. Just make sure the mafia pays for their crimes!" While the red-hooded child with the stache was attacking a few more mafia goons, Hat Kid grabbed hold of one of the sandbags, dragging it over until she got below the Mafia Boss. The ruler of Mafia Town whistled with his fingers, calling forth a large fraction of his men and had them clumping up into a ball to flatten Mario and Min Min.

The two fighters began to run away from the rolling clump of mafia gangsters, and Min Min launched her ARMS out at the Mafia Boss on top. The extendable appendages wrapped around the stout man, and the ramen bomber launched herself with a powerful kick to the goon's face. The Mafia Boss growled, flailing his cleavers at Min Min as he tried to attack her on top of the mafia ball. Min Min looked up at the top of the stage, where Hat Kid was giving the newcomer an OK symbol with her hand as a signal for the martial artist to knock the ruffian out cold with a special attack.

Since the Mafia Boss was surrounded by a blue outline during the duration of his mafia-ball attack, this gave Min Min a chance to disable her equipped ARMS and resort to using her Kung Fu skills. She started by jabbing at the outside of the forearms, then going for the legs, followed by certain points at the back, stomach, and where the shoulders meet the neck. At this point, the Mafia Boss was completely paralyzed, allowing Hat Kid to push the sandbag over the thug leader's head.

Min Min quickly jumped from the collapsing mafia-ball, grabbing Mario and shielding him from the rain of mafia gangsters screaming out their lungs as they fell over the stage into the audience watching the performance. The Mafia Gang within the audience was completely speechless from the attack upon their boss as the curtains closed, and even the remaining goons at the top of the stage stopped attacking Mustache Girl and looked down upon the horror of the aftermath. Because of what happened, the frightened Mafia Gang all ran away from the theater. Hat Kid opened her umbrella and held tight to Mustache Girl, jumping down and softly floating with her onto the stage.

"Wow," Min Min chuckled. "That was the best fight I've ever been in! It was like Hundun took control of this whole play and just… boom! Like that!"

"Who's Hundun?" Mario asked.

"Oh, the god of chaos and all that," Min Min replied. "I learned about the ancient gods while I was in school a while back in my native country. Sorry all this happened."

"Well, thank goodness for that!" Mario added, unaware that Hat Kid was running over to the Mafia Boss trapped underneath the heavy sandbag. "Because I was beginning to worry that you would just spawn into a lava pit or something, and at least be glad you're not-a dead yet."

"Look: I didn't exactly get the memo of traveling to different worlds when your friends told us about the scoop," Min Min continued. "When I thought it was going to be global peace, I didn't know it got literal planets from other universes involved. Is this what you guys set out to do?"

"Min Min… sorry I should have explained it to you when I got the chance," Mario sighed, tilting the cap on his head. "We've been told you're one of the newest cadets that applied to the ARMS League, and the way you fought shows."

"Well, yeah," Min Min replied. "...Do you want to know why I really came here? To leave my own world so I can end up in yours?" While the two fighters were having the conversation, Hat Kid gathered up a pile of all the Time Pieces the Mafia Boss had collected in his coat. She held one of the relics in her hands before Mustache Girl quickly swiped it from her hands. Before Min Min could say anything about why she arrived in this strange new world, she and Mario looked over to Mustache Girl.

"So what do they do anyway?" Mustache Girl asked as she tossed the Time Piece and caught it in her hand repeatedly. "Are they some sort of collector's item for nerds?" As Mustache Girl tossed the Time Piece again, she failed to catch it, prompting Hat Kid to catch the item before anything catastrophic happened. The hourglass piece shattered, spreading grains of glowing sand across the air. Everyone seemed to be frozen in time before the sand particles took effect and rewinded time to the moment before Mustache Girl accidentally dropped the Time Piece, only this time the Time Piece was lying on the exact spot on the floor it broke upon.

"Are they some sort of rare c… wait, huh?" Mustache Girl repeated, unaware that she wasn't holding anything until she felt nothing in her hands. She scanned down on the floor for the Time Piece, completely surprised that the relic appeared as though it never broke, having miraculously healed its broken glass.

"Woah,what!?" Mustache Girl exclaimed in complete shock and discovery of the newfound power these pieces possessed. "What… did, uhm… did you know about this?" As Mustache Girl picked up the relic, Hat Kid took the Time Piece from the hooded child's hands. The alien child nodded her head as a response, completely aware of how her Time Pieces work.

"This is crazy! Do you know what could be done with these?" Mustache Girl exclaimed, excited by the newfound power of time manipulation the Time Pieces contained. "We could make it so that you never got punched by the Mafia that one time! We could beat up the Mafia, travel back in time, and then beat them up again! No, wait… we could make it so that the Mafia never arrived on the island! Wait, wait, wait! We could be crime-fighting time travellers!"

"Hm… the girl with the mustache has got a point," Min Min thought. "With these Time Pieces, we could put an end to evil for good…" Mario had no clear say in this, due to him having a clear memory of time travel. As for Hat Kid, she was not one to share this kind of power with anyone, even her best friends. She backed away from Mustache Girl, tossing the Time Piece she held into the pile of the magical hourglasses she collected from the Mafia Boss.

"Mustache Girl… I appreciate what you're trying to do, and I support you for that," Hat Kid spoke up, glancing back at Mario and Min Min to make sure they were listening too. "However, I don't think I can just simply give one of these Time Pieces to you. My race had been collecting time-manipulating sand in these special hourglasses as a means to fuel their ships. They understand how dangerous it can be if it falls into the wrong hands, and we learn how it works even at a young age."

"Wait, what?!" Mustache Girl ejaculated in disbelief and anger. "This doesn't make any sense! You have all this power, and you're not gonna use it to fight evil?"

"Abusing this power just to take down a platoon of mafia gangsters might not be the best idea," Hat Kid continued, starting to feel more sorry about herself. "What if you become corrupt and use it to build a dictatorship that punishes bad people for the smallest of mistakes? Again, these Time Pieces were built to be used as fuel, not weapons of mass destruction. I'm sorry." Mustache Girl felt utterly defeated, a shadow of disappointment clouding her face. Her expression changed drastically, glaring straight at Hat Kid as though the alien child had betrayed her.

"I see how it is," Mustache Girl snapped calmly. "You have resorted to selfishness when you could be using this power for the greater good. These Time Pieces could shape the world… and you're just hogging them for yourself. If you're not going to use them to fight evil, then I will." Mustache Girl grabbed the collar of Hat Kid's cape out of spite, staring at her straight in the eye.

"I'm not gonna let this island remain as Mafia Town!" Mustache Girl continued, getting more enraged at the minute. "I'll collect all the Time Pieces for myself! You have my word on it!" The hooded child glanced up at Mario and Min Min, aware that they're going to be trouble for her later on.

"And as for you two simpletons: stay out of my way," Mustache Girl went on, pushing Hat Kid away fondling her own hooded cape. "You caused enough trouble as it is, and I already have a guess you'll be joining her side just so you can let her keep the relics for herself. We're done." Just like that, Mustache Girl ran out of the theater. Hat Kid sighed in complete guilt, aware that what she did wasn't right but was necessary in order to protect the one she used to be friends with. To add insult to injury, the alien child checked her pockets to find half of all the Pons she collected were missing. When Mustache Girl grabbed her, the hooded child somehow managed to pickpocket from her in spite.

"Best friends the first day, mortal enemies the next," Hat Kid sighed. Min Min was beginning to have second thoughts on using time travel to fight crime after the initial breakup, aware that some friendships just aren't meant to be.

"I'm glad you guys are still around," Hat Kid spoke, filled with a shred of hope as she knew the ramen bomber and the red plumber were with her this whole time. "Come on. Let's gather up these Time Pieces and we can hopefully reboot the power to my ship." Mario picked up a good chunk of Time Pieces while Min Min gathered up the rest thanks to her ARMS.


Sozo in his Master Hand form was flying across the land, with Pappy and Sonic the Hedgehog resting in his palm. The magenta-haired girl looked down upon the landscape in wonder, holding on tight to the Master Hand's thumb.

"So… where we going?" Sonic asked, lying down on the large fingers like a recliner.

"We will be heading to a special location where my father's legion once took young dragonlings to train to harness all seven elements," Sozo explained. "Padparadscha, do you have the Earth Citrine with you? It's obligatory for our first lesson in training."

"Do you mean this orange gemstone?" Pappy asked, holding on tight to the glowing jewel.

"Yeah, that's the one," Sonic answered. "There are more stones like this out there, and we just so happened to find one."

"We're almost at our destination," Sozo pointed out. "Hang in there…" The Master Hand floated down to a large, flat area between the mountains, where pieces and large, scalded chunks of metal and plastic were cramped up into a single pile scattered across the portion of the land. Plants were already overgrowing the place, with vines and moss taking root upon the rubble. The two young individuals jumped off the Master Hand, who transformed back into Sozo.

"Welcome to the Midair Stadium, or what remains of it…" Sozo introduced. "We've been gathering up all we could save from the arena that can travel anywhere across the solar system, and we're currently cleaning up whatever we couldn't fix." Pappy went ahead first, touching a couple of the large chunks of the stadium laid throughout the infant forest. She was amazed by the architecture way ahead of her time, feeling as though she missed an entire book or two in her life.

"What happened to it in the first place?" Pappy asked. "How did it get like this…?"

"It has been a long story," Sozo replied, "but I feel someone else could explain it better for you. Right, Sonic?"

"Oh, yeah. Sure. This is gonna go deep, so I hope you're prepared with frontloaded history. Yippee..." Sonic replied, clearing his throat and taking a deep breath and beginning his exposition as fast as possible. "Thousands of years ago, shortly after your race was wiped out, the dragons emerged from their caves and populated the planet. They've discovered the elements of fire, earth, thunder, life, air, water, and magic, but they could use only one, so… they've found a way to control all seven elements and everything was at peace until a millennium ago. There were three siblings: Ultima, Galeem, and Phoenix. A brother rivalry between Galeem and Phoenix got worse as the years went on, and their only sister Ultima tried to put an end to their shenanigans.

"This caused their current ruler at the time, Lord Ceresor, to kick the brothers out but left Ultima to remain so she can join them and help them take down Galleom and save the Mii Fighters. However, Ceresor was wounded in the process, and she was elected ruler with her brothers by her side in the hopes they would reconcile. Things got worse as everyone hated Phoenix while they praised Galeem just through looks, and Phoenix was corrupted and transformed into an evil entity of chaos and darkness: Dharkon. The remaining dragons rebelled, and Galeem betrayed Ultima after showing off his true colors, both figuratively and literally. This resulted in Ultima under this guy's help to send the dragons to another dimension. During the fight, Ultima was split into two: Ragnarokk and Tabuu. They took down the brothers, with Ragnarokk killed, and Tabuu banished them to another realm…" Several minutes later, Sonic was still going with his story. Despite having lost most of his memory, he was able to recall certain key points… and Pappy was interested in it all.

"And after the two brothers were defeated, everyone went back home and I stayed behind, ready to explore other worlds," Sonic finished shortly before he caught his breath after talking for so long. "So… yeah. That's all I managed to gather so far."

"Huh. Neat," Pappy noted, scratching her head in confusion over a certain point. "But I kind of noticed there were certain plot holes you forgot to mention. You said that when the transformations stopped after Tabuu's first defeat in fear of permanent death, everyone still had amnesia. You said you were telling stories about their past. Care to explain which ones?"

"Oh, there were those I could remember off the bat," Sonic boastfully bragged, before shortly trailing off as he tried to think about what those stories were. "For example, Mario and Luigi… they were stomping on mushrooms and turtles…? Samus was raised by alien birds… Fox saved the solar system…?"

"...You don't remember, do you?" Sozo asked. "Maybe you can also show her these elementals you unleashed during Dharkon's reign." The blue hedgehog curled up into a ball, charging a rapid spin in his place. Sonic released the move and started doing donuts on the ground, with blue lightning generating from his quills. Sonic stopped moving and uncurled himself, a faint blue glow still surrounding his fur after the move.

"Oh my…" Pappy whispered in wonder. "Last I checked, I've never seen a single toy do that."

"And you can be like him," the golden-eyed general responded. "I guess this is my first time teaching non-dragon species, so maybe this might significantly affect how elementals are passed down to others worthy of possessing these abilities. Sonic displayed how anyone can use them in perfect detail. From whatever has happened to him, I hope he can still properly learn those traits without any forced consent." Pappy held out the Earth Citrine in front of her, trying to breathe in and out and clear her mind of the world she was trapped in.

"Now then… it's time the both of you try to connect with the spirit of the Earth Rainbolement within you," Sozo continued. "Focus all your energy into the stone, and let it grant you its power. Let it see that you can become truly worthy." The jewel flashed a bright orange, filling the hybrid toy with a warmth never before felt in her. She could feel the roots of the mountains around her bury deep underground, feeling the great pressure and heat surround her completely. She sensed the minerals every rock was capable of, every grain of sand and dirt, every molecular structure of the crystals forming in each gem and metal buried within the planet.

"Now then… it's your turn, Sonic," Sozo spoke, taking the Earth Citrine from Pappy's hands with his mouth. The blue hedgehog held the stone in his hand, trying to reconnect with the spirit of the earth once more. He tried to feel something, attempting to reconnect with the ground underneath him just like the girl did. He tried to clear his head, but to no avail. Everytime he did so, he could only remember the world he visited before the Smash World program was launched. The things he saw there seemed to have been replaced with nothing but a barren wasteland void of life. However, every footprint he left behind in the ground seemed to dissolve into glitches, binary code, and black bars behind him.

"Sonic, are you alright?" the golden-eyed general asked. The blue hedgehog snapped out of his trance, looking down upon the glowing jewel in his hands. The marks on Sonic's eyes seemed to glow a bright orange again, with his irises the same color as the gemstone he was holding.

"Strange," Sozo noted, taking the Earth Citrine from Sonic's hands. "Usually, whenever someone uses one of the stones, it's only done once through a burst of energy. I think it's led me to believe you already have that element in your possession, but even then… I don't sense the Rainbolements from you."

"What do you mean?" Sonic asked in complete dumbfoundment. "You brought me here just so you could re-teach me how to use them. How can you not sense them?"

"I… don't know," Sozo responded, walking past Pappy. "Now then, we'll be going a bit out of order compared to how we did it back in my day. To start off with, we must first learn that the earth is full of wisdom. Just like every rock, boulder, mountain, and stone that shapes our world, they also preserve the memories of the footprints we leave behind. They leave future generations to recollect these events, the minerals inside them unchanged. First, we're going to be learning how to move pebbles and small stones. This will take practice to master, so I advise you would be careful of your surroundings. Like any element, earth is a dangerous weapon if left in irresponsible hands. We only use the earth as a tool to aid us, not one we can play with like moving mountains and changing the geographical structure of our world. Now that we've got that out of the way… let's begin. Move this rock like so." Sozo set his eyes on a small boulder, using a special kind of telekinesis to lift the stone into the air before gently setting it back down.

"Alright, this'll be a piece of cake," Sonic chuckled, stretching his gloves hands. "How hard can this be?" Sonic stretched his hands out at the boulder, his fingers slightly twitching as he tried to move that rock in front of him. No response. He stood in that position for over a minute, still attempting to move the rock. Still nothing.

"Are you doing the right technique?" Sozo asked.

"I'm trying, okay?" Sonic replied. "I've got the pose, so this should take a while…" Pappy got into the same pose the blue hedgehog was, doing everything and managing to succeed. Sonic put his arms down in humiliating defeat.

"Excellent job, Pappy," the golden-eyed general spoke. "I am most impressed by your early learning. Practice this a few more times and we can get started on the next lesson." The armored dragon looked at the blue hedgehog, noticing the drooping ears he sported.

"Sonic?" Sozo asked. "Is anything the matter?"

"Oh, nothing," Sonic answered in a sarcastic tone filled with depression. "Just that… I seemed to have forgotten everything about myself. Ten years ago, I was sharing the memories of the worlds I visited. Now whatever I didn't want to tell anyone is gone. Forever."

"...It must have been like that ever since the incident, right?" Sozo replied. "The whole final battle between Phoenix and Galeem? Wasn't there something to do with a large explosion of all seven elements that divided the world into light and dark crystals?"

"... You're starting to forget, aren't you?" Sonic asked. "I know you're probably not like this. You would tell me what is it that's missing from my life. You brought me back from the dead, remember? By sending me back so I could attack Sephiroth in my Super Form?"

"...I was true with the fact that my memories, as well as Hakai's, were tampered with," Sozo replied. "Maybe that could be the problem why I'm not remembering anything about you clearly. But that wouldn't make any sense. I remember the backstories or each and every fighter completely, including you. So why is it that whenever I bring up something to do with your backstory… the ending I got seemed to be… quickly forgotten?" Sonic put a hand below his chin, aware that something fishy was going on between them. It was like a wave of amnesia was flooding over them, and it was supposed to be the Master Hand who would know all this.

"...Do you think you can leave me alone for a while?" Sonic asked, trying his best to keep a smile on his face. "I need to spend some time alone before I… pack all my things back at my apartment and move into the Smash Fortress."

"We won't mind," Sozo responded. "Because of what happened to the dragons, I guess there really is no need for a solstice to determine if you're worthy of joining the royal guard." The blue hedgehog thanked the one-winged dragon for his generosity with a bow of gratitude, speeding off into the setting sun on the horizon with a blue streak trailing behind him.

"Should we go after him?" Pappy asked.

"Please resume your training," the golden-eyed general replied. "As for your question, it would be best if we left him alone. Whatever is going on in his head, we might as well leave him alone to discover what it is he desires from his self-conflict."


Back on the ship floating on top of the planet, Hat Kid tossed in all the Time Pieces she and her friends collected into the large vault located on top in the living room. As soon as she shut the vault door, she slid down the ladder and opened up a metal box to reactivate the power back to her ship. Mario and Min Min were waiting for the alien child, to which the red plumber was glancing up at the ramen bomber.

"Are you still a bit mad that I came here without supervision?" Min Min asked, a bit irritated by how the older man stared at her like that.

"Yes, I am," Mario replied in a stern voice. "Running off like that and ending up in the clutches of the Mafia. What were you even doing to begin with?"

"I was just about to tell you the truth before that girl with the mustache broke up with the kid in the hat," Min Min sighed, hiding her left hand underneath her bangs.

"Please do," Mario noted, not wanting to let a second of the confession go to waste.

"...It all started back at the ARMS League," Min Min explained, her hands crossed in front of her chest. "By the time your friends came, I decided the best course of action to not get into trouble was to hardly interact with any of them. However, once I failed against the only competitor to not have been genetically born with the ARMS Gene on the first round, I tried to retrace my footsteps. I spent the rest of the tourney boxing a sandbag and getting a good feel of being out on a stage again… up until the fight against Max Brass. People were evacuating, but Twintelle came in and reminded me everyone that signed up in the league was down to stop a clown: the winged jester that crashed the party. When the team disbanded, I was the only one to learn more about this strange new world. If there are really other universes and dimensions. I was… determined. Like a spark of fire ignited inside me. I wanted to learn more and… just shortly after I arrived here. Alone."

"...I-a see," the red plumber answered, his expression and voice changing to more of a concerned tone. "So you were the only one who arrived here. Out of anyone else from that universe, it was just you."

"Hey, at least I still have my fans outside of China," Min Min giggled, scratching the back of her neck. "Imagine how excited they would be if I found out I was one of these chosen ones you constantly talk about. Wouldn't that be something…?"

"Hey, Min Min? Can I let you in on a secret?" Mario confessed. "No matter who it is, we all still love you one and the same. And nothing can change that. No matter how many times you brag about it, everyone will still love you regardless. You will always have fans that'll support-a you no matter what, okay?"

"Sure, I guess," Min Min chuckled. "You know, I'm glad you took this conversation lightly. Just saying."

"Okay, I think I got it…" Hat Kid groaned, flicking a few switches and pressing buttons before shutting the metal lid. "There! Should be enough to get the engine running!" The engine began to purr like a sleeping cat, warming up the ship until the lights started to flicker back on. The power was brought back to the living room, and the large monitor next to the vault displayed the number of Time Pieces they had collected so far.

"Hm… at least we got enough to get the ship running," Hat Kid noted. "There's still more down on that planet, and they're all I need to fuel her up and I can drive back home. Now if only there was a way to find more of the Time Pieces we need… Pitch with me, guys. Where can we find the things we need…?" The television set went into a live broadcast coming from the planet, with static playing in on the screen before the jumbled voices were fixed.

"We interrupt your program to bring you this special announcement!" an anthropomorphic raven spoke as a news broadcaster. "Long-time directors and rivals DJ Grooves and the Conductor are at it again to win the Annual Bird Movie Award, and this time the Conductor's willing to start a rematch for losing Award 42. He's got a pair of brand new actors willing to help star in his movies! We now go live on the scene and ask the new actors what it's like living in the movie set." A live broadcast took place within a large express train that seemed to take inspiration from Western movies. Crows wearing hats and trench coats were helping the owls set up the props.

"Wait, is this recording?" a familiar voice asked. The camera from the TV moved to reveal the faces of Banjo and Kazooie, to which Mario was shocked to find they were there in the studio.

"So… we're kinda staring in a new movie, and they're willing to call it Train Rush," Kazooie pointed out. "We're basically the main characters of this film, and we need to reach the front of the train to deactivate a self-destruct system and it's basically, as you can tell by the genre, an action movie!"

"Guess that's right," Banjo pointed out. "We just happened to show up here, and the Conductor automatically recruited us just so he can win something to do with some magical hourglasses…?"

"Hourglasses… they're your Time Pieces, right?" Mario asked the Hat Kid. The alien girl nodded in response.

"Oi! Bird brains! Get back on the set and read your parts for the script!" a Scottish voice with hard R's called out from the camera's view. Banjo & Kazooie were pushed away from the camera, and the Conductor walked in front of the camera recording the live footage. The yellow-feathered avian with a sharp-toothed beak was dressed in an old-timed conductor outfit, which also appeared to be his name.

"This masterpiece is sure to win the Movie Award, for I've heard these hourglasses have the ability to manipulate time!" the Conductor spoke confidentially, holding onto the sides of the camera recording the whole footage. "If that's the case... DJ Grooves, beware! My movie is going to blow yours out of the water, and I'll be using that prize to get back Award 42 after you pried it from me wings with your last 'masterpiece.' Bah! I spit in the pile of trash that you call talent! If you and your other peck necks think you can do it better, well… you better swear it on your mother's death bed!" The feed was automatically cut off, and the news cut back to the raven spokesperson.

"Well now… looks like the Conductor really wants to stick it up to his rival after losing Award 42 to him," the raven spoke. "Let's see what DJ Grooves says about the situation." Another live camera was switched on, cutting to some sort of set featuring a city built on the moon. Penguins wearing black coats and hats were hoisting up the props, with some owls dressed in more modern and flashy clothing were busy rehearsing their parts. A rockhopper penguin with a black afro, sunglasses, and red disco heels on his feet, was standing in front of the camera, straightening his red, flashy coat.

"You think this movie of yours is going to win if you're the only one to cast a team-up between a mammal and a bird, Conductor?" DJ Grooves asked, his voice seemingly reminiscent of Elvis Presely. "Think again, bird-brain! Because I have the stars of my film right here! They may not talk like yours, but they're WAY better!" The penguin dragged in the Duck Hunt dog and duck to his side.

"Mamma mia… I was about to look for Duck Hunt too," Mario sighed, relieved the duo was alright for the time being.

"It'll be a cinematic movie magic!" DJ Grooves continued. "These two are going to lead the big parade in my movie hit: The Big Parade! With drama, romance, and bloodshed, it'll be the REAL blockbuster hit of the year! Come at me, old-timer. Because once I win that award, I'll take back every single prize I lost to you, which was all of them except for 42. As for your mother, well… she might be disappointed in the failure you turned out to be once I win all those hourglasses!"

"And there you have it, folks," the raven spokesperson finished. "Looks like the two directors are at each other's necks, so hope you've got your popcorn because it's about to get intense over at Dead Bird Studios. We'll find out who the winner will be once those movies of theirs hit the big screen. We now return you folk watching at home to your program." The news broadcast ended, with Mario, Min Min, and Hat Kid looking at each other.

"So the Time Pieces are at Dead Bird Studios," Hat Kid pointed out.

"And Banjo & Kazooie and Duck Hunt are located in two different sets," Mario added. "Looks like it's-a going to be intense. I'll be heading over to the studio and getting those Time Pieces for you, okay? You two stay behind. You might cause more ruckus than normal if you girls go with me and besides… I feel like this is a mission I can do myself."

"...I think we can perfectly handle anyone that intrudes the place since it is Hat Kid's ship," Min Min objected. "Don't worry." Mario opened the glass door, which was patched with wooden boards nailed to the broken hole, and was basically prepared to step out and land in Dead Bird Studios. The red plumber jumped out from the spaceship, falling closer to the planet until he was nothing more than a tiny dot.

"Well, I guess it's just you and me now," Hat Kid said. "Anything you want to do until Mario gets back?"

"I have no idea," Min Min replied. "I hardly know this man, but with his speed and experience it shouldn't take long…"

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Hat Kid spoke. "I'm just hoping he and his friends get enough Time Pieces to power the rest of my ship. Where exactly did you come from?"

"I come from a world where most of the human population possesses a strange type of quirk that we call the ARMS Gene," Min Min began, sitting on one of the beanbags. "They appear at a young age as the body develops, though 1 in every 100,000 children have carried it since birth. Some don't even have it at all. According to the name, it affects our arms greatly and makes them all stretchy. They make masks to help those that inherited the quirk, since it's usually hard to control and… they just end up like limp noodles that get very easily tangled up. Nowadays, anyone with the gene can just end up at the ARMS League. It's currently closed because of some alien jester that just showed up."

"Wow…" Hat Kid gasped in wonder. "You come from another world. I really shouldn't say much about my species considering I don't like sharing information about myself to anyone, but we've been exploring basically the whole galaxy. You've probably heard me tell Mustache Girl these Time Pieces are only used for fuel. Speaking of fuel, I'm starving!"

"I think I can serve something up," Min Min replied. "How would you like to try some of my delicious ramen?"

"Sounds interesting," Hat Kid answered. "I never really had this 'ramen' before. I'm excited to try it out and see what it tastes like." This led Min Min to come to the logical conclusion that Hat Kid's culinary habits are completely different from everyone else, considering she might not have the knowledge humans consider the ordinary norm.

"Excellent!" Min Min giggled, a smile gracing her face. "I'll be right back. Do you know where the kitchen is?"

"Up the ladder, behind the two blue doors," Hat Kid responded. "It's pretty hard to miss."

"Thank you," Min Min replied, jumping to the top of the ladder. "This will only take a few minutes, so sit tight. I'll be right back." The ramen bomber entered through the kitchen door, leaving Hat Kid alone in the living room. Min Min explored the spacious kitchen, which had a telescope in the center of a blue-and-white carpet looking out onto a glass roof. The architecture was simplistic enough, filled with the essentials necessary: a fridge, some cupboards filled with dishes, silverware, utensils, and cooking appliances, a stove, oven, sinks, and food supplies stored in wooden boxes. Min Min checked the fridge, looking through the dairy products, fruits, meat, and desserts stored in that big icebox.

"Hm… there we go…" Min Min told herself. The ramen bomber first took out a set of chicken pieces, onions, spring onions, and garlic out of the fridge, washing the food before she began preparing. She then wringed the chicken pieces of the leftover juices and blood, cutting them into smaller pieces as she prepared a pot of boiling water. She placed the diced meat in the pot and began chopping up a bunch of various vegetables and leaves, including: a small batch of onions, garlic cloves, leek, some ginger, spring onions, and mushrooms with some soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, and some sriracha and chili spice. She left the water to boil for a few minutes as she prepared another pot of boiling water.

The pot itself was small, allowing Min Min to place in a couple of eggs and left them to boil until she knew the whites and yolks were hard. She took out the eggs and cooled them down before cracking open their shells and slicing them. Once she found out the broth for the ramen was finished, she turned off the stove and prepared the sliced chicken, frying them with a special sauce she prepared with some sesame sauce mixed with a few other sauces as a means to marinate them well. She took out one last pot of boiling water, preparing the noodles as she laid out flour, eggs, baking soda, and some water before kneading it into long strips of noodles to toss in and cook.

After straining the noodles, Min Min took out the broth and strained it. She placed the noodles into two separate bowls, filled them up with the broth, and decorated both bowls with some seaweed, the egg slices, and sesame chicken with some hints of chili spice and some spring onions. Once Min Min was finished, she took the bowls with some Chinese soup spoons and chopsticks before making her way out the kitchen.

"Okay, I'm done," Min Min called out. "Better be careful. This soup is… hot…" By the time the ramen bomber exited the kitchen, Hat Kid was completely gone. Min Min jumped off, quickly catching the falling ramen in their bowls the second she jumped down. The Chinese ARMS fighter thought it was completely strange that the alien girl would vanish without a trace without even telling her, so she set the bowls next to the TV after spotting a small vacuum cleaner moving throughout the living room. Attached to the small robot was a note written on it, and she quickly took it off to read it.


~Dear ramen girl,

Apologies if the handwriting is messy. I was in a hurry so if you find this on Rumbi, I'm leaving the ship for a while. Apparently, there was another strange letter attached to the glass door while you were busy preparing this 'ramen' thing. It came from the Alpine Skyline, saying there was an overgrowth of wildflowers infecting the mountainous islands and its civilians with dangerous spores. I went to investigate since these flowers also have more of the Time Pieces we're looking for. Look after the ship for me, okay? You look old enough to handle this. I'll be back soon!

~Sincerely, Hat Kid


Min Min looked at the tattered brown paper taped to the glass door, which was written in some sort of strange handwriting that was clearly native to the residents of the skyline. The Ramen Bomber was completely alone.

"Great," Min Min sighed in disappointment. "Mario's gone, Hat Kid's gone. Might as well waste my time here for the time being. It's not like I'm… needed for a special task or anything… Why did I even join in the first place? I wonder if anyone back at my homeworld misses me…" Min Min wandered around the spaceship, making her way into the Hat Kid's bedroom. She admired the equipment the alien child got set up, aware that she might have an artistic talent of sorts. Drawings were taped onto the walls just opposite of the large pile of pillows, which mainly consisted of scribbles of her travels.

Wonder if she got this new 'Smash World' thing going on around here… Min Min thought as her gaze focused on the powered-off computer sitting on the desk. The ramen bomber quickly knew she might not be able to snoop around for long, so she ran out of the bedroom as fast as her legs could carry her. But then, just as she was about to enter the main hub of the ship, her spirally eyes glanced down upon a familiar face.

"Hello there," Mustache Girl greeted. Min Min simply looked at the child with facial hair in absolute shock, completely aware of the intentions this child was going to go for if she was left alone.

"You!?" Min Min exclaimed, equipping her Megawatt and Dragon ARMS in an act of self-defense. "What are you doing here!? How did you get onto the ship!?"

"If you will kindly put your... weapons away, allow me to clarify," Mustache Girl objected, trying to keep as calm as possible at the adult woman she was going up against. "That whole thing between me and that kid with the hat: it was all an act! Honest!"

"Really?" Min Min asked, her tone quieting down but still keeping her suspicions intact. "For your information, we heard your words correctly: you were going to use Hat Kid's Time Pieces to fight 'evil' when you clearly know you'll become corrupt in doing so."

"I told you: it was all a big misunderstanding," Mustache Girl confessed, moving out of the way for Min Min to walk past her as she knew she was blocking the ramen bomber's path. "Even with the bit of info of telling you to stay out of my way. That was all a joke?" Min Min did not believe a single word of that sentence. She just simply stood in place, her eyes fixated on the hooded child with the stache. She was not buying any of that.

"After everything that happened between you and Hat Kid… yeah, no. Sorry," Min Min answered, deactivating her equitable ARMS. "I'm still going to have to throw you out." The ramen bomber grabbed Mustache Girl's hood, dragging her over to the glass door.

"Nonono, wait a second!" Mustache Girl tried to tell her as the ramen bomber opened the glass door and was just about ready to throw the kid out of the ship. "It's not what you think! I understand you're not getting as much respect as you thought you would. If you really want to be an important part of the team like you feel you are… you can start looking for another friend of yours in Subcon Forest!" Min Min stopped what she was doing and shut the door, her interest in hearing what the girl had to say.

"I'm listening," Min Min replied, completely aware that Mustache Girl might be tricking her.

"He's got long black hair, a stern expression, red shoulder pads," Mustache Girl continued. "The spirits living in the woods call him Sieg, or something?"

"The guy they call the Mii Brawler. Of course," Min Min told herself, still keeping her grip on Mustache Girl's hood. "I've heard he's an important member of the team, just like everyone else who's a member of the Super Smash Brothers. What else?"

"He's apparently working for a guy they call the Snatcher," Mustache Girl continued, her eyes trembling as she didn't want to be thrown off the ship. "As a means to replace the old contractor after his head was popped off. They've got Time Pieces too. You should definitely check over there." Min Min knew getting back the Brawler Ultimate Reborn was an offer she couldn't refuse, but she was completely aware that Mustache Girl could be manipulative enough to get what she wanted. Min Min knew there is a time and place to act loud-mouthed or smart, and right now was the time to act smart.

"...Are you sure the Mii Brawler is down there?" Min Min asked. Mustache Girl simply nodded in response.

"And what about the Time Pieces and the ship in general?" Min Min continued. "I think I've seen Hat Kid add additional security to the vault, so you might not be getting them anytime soon…"

"Oh, don't worry," Mustache Girl replied, fingers crossed behind her back. "The safety of this ship is entirely within my hands." As Min Min opened the glass door again and set down Mustache Girl, she hesitated stepping foot outside into space.

"...You didn't think I was going to let you stay here, was I?" Min Min went on. "That argument you had between Hat Kid and us… it was all too real to be classified as a 'joke.' I think the alien girl's right. She's not dumb enough just to give it to you, and neither am I. You're going to be staying here with me, and we'll be interrogating you for quite a while…"

"Oh… I see…" Mustache Girl replied, her expression changing drastically to more disgusted in the ramen bomber's final decision. "Well then… I guess you're not used to helping others in need of ridding the world of bad guys. You won't even accept my offer."

"Well, I kinda do," Min Min tried to comprehend. "After all, there is this problem of guarding the spaceship while having to rescue Sieg as well as get more Time Pieces at the same time…"

"So you can let that selfish brat hog more for herself!?" Mustache Girl snapped. "Open your eyes! The Mafia kidnapped you! They were the ones willing to interrogate you by any means necessary, and you're not treating them like the bad guys they are!?"

"They're still bad guys nonetheless, but from the way you're sounding, I don't think even they deserve this much cruelty…"

"Don't they? Don't they!? Take a good look at what I did to their leader!" Mustache Girl pulled out a jar with the hat, nose, and mustache of the Mafia Boss, but an indescribable mess of blood, flesh, and eyeballs were sealed within the jar. Min Min was rapidly switching between emotions, most of them centering around the fear of the child and the absolute horror of what she did.

"Did the mafia even do such… horrendous acts like this?" Min Min objected.

"You're just as braindead as that kid with the hat!" Mustache Girl growled, stepping closer to Min Min to the point where the ARMS fighter was about to fall out of the ship entirely. "You and your friends just don't get it! Real power comes from getting even over perceived slights, and I will use that power to personally advance myself to the greater good. No matter what it takes." Min Min equipped her ARMS again, thrashing her powerful weapons at the young girl. Mustache Girl quickly took advantage of Min Min's slow movement, and she kicked the ramen bomber in the face to the point where the ARMS fighter would have fallen down the planet by a space vacuum if she didn't quickly ram her ARMS into the sides of the door and held tight for dead life.

Min Min used the elastic bounce in her ARMS to spring herself back into the spaceship, kicking Mustache Girl as a result. The hooded child rushed at the ramen bomber, unaware that she's pretty much powerless against a Kung Fu professional. Paralyzing the girl with her chi-blocking techniques at the arms, neck, and back was nothing short of a challenge compared to all the other fights she had before she arrived here. The Mustache Girl was completely unable to move, allowing Min Min to take the girl and tie her up.

"This should leave you hanging for a while," Min Min spoke, aware she did another job well done. Mustache Girl had her hands tied behind her back, with a sock stuffed into her mouth. The rope binding her shoulders was attached to a crane hook, leaving the young girl suspended a few feet off the ground within the cold engine room located within the ship.

"Relax," Min Min replied, just about to set foot out of the engine room. "We'll be back soon to deal with you later. Until then just… hang in there. No pun intended, by the way." The Ramen Bomber exited the room to leave to Subcon Forest, which meant that Mustache Girl began to struggle in her bondages once she felt the nerves in her body kick-start again.


Sonic was inside his own apartment, trying to think about what exactly was going on. Most of the things he already packed were in moving crates, and he has just finished filling another suitcase with all the remaining stuff he could fit in it. Once all that was done, he grabbed the cellphone still sitting on his desk. He was aware of the friends he made over at the world where plants and zombies fought, his mind telling him they might not completely understand the situation.

"Alright, Will," Sonic spoke, knowing that the Eye of God was still with him. "I know you're still here. I want answers and I want them now." As though the monster heard him, W.D. Gaster concealed the apartment in vantablack darkness. The cracked face appeared before a distraught and angrily confused hedgehog.

You seem curious, Gaster spoke. Is there something you would like to ask of me?

"I've had it with your little stunts, Gaster!" Sonic interrogated, raising his voice a bit so as not to anger his familiar. "I need to know the truth: why is Sozo forgetting I even had powers in the first place? This isn't normal for him!"

He was trying to help you recover those powers of yours, Gaster replied, feeling little to no irritation in his tone. However, he does not really know that when you forgot them… so is everyone else. You do have improved electrical charges in your own blood and quills, can understand what the Forgotten Gatekeeper spoke clearly, and can connect with the spirits of the elements quite easily. Shouldn't that be enough development for you?

"Not when I know you're keeping something from me," Sonic answered, still dissatisfied with what he got. "Even if I don't even know how to use my own powers, my friends remember everything clearly. Out of everyone else, I'm the only one who has to put up with all they've been through. So tell me, 'all-knowing entity of the cosmos'... why is it that you haven't told me the Master Hand, the guy who helped bring me back from the dead, isn't even sensing the elementals from me?"

I think you must have misunderstood, Gaster continued. I only seemed to take away the memories you made on other planets, as well as how you escaped your own world too… alongside any remembrance of having the elementals beforehand.

"But you didn't tell me they were going to affect ALL my friends, both figuratively and literally!" Sonic went on. "Can't you just stick to one truth without resorting to the other and just tell me what's going on? Please…?" Gaster simply said nothing about it, unable to spill the beans towards the blue hedgehog.

"I don't think I made this clear enough," Sonic responded in a more strict voice, jumping onto Gaster's chest and tugging on his turtleneck. "As your master, it is my duty to command you to aid me in battle through your knowledge. I may not be at war right now, but it is crucial that you tell me what you're keeping from me. I need you to tell me the truth, no matter what your guidelines say. I'm one who cares deeply about things being fair, and you know very well I can't handle this level of patience any longer."

...You want to know the truth and nothing but the truth? Fine. Do not say I had not warned you, Gaster sighed. You are being rewritten. Sonic's expression changed, going from confused and angry to even more confused and just a hint of surprise.

According to the Zodiacs, you had been going through acts of jumping between dimensions, Gaster continued. It was not supposed to happen by your understanding of logic. Maybe that Chomper you encountered was right. You were responsible for raising the dead in his world. And responsible for kick-starting a chain of events that led you to here. Just too many to name. We had talked about this for a few months, and our best decision was to make you exactly like the Super Smash Brothers: the same role of the protagonist who uses his wits and cockiness to plow through obstacles. Sooner or later, your friends are going to forget you even had powers in the first place due to the rewriting and will eventually take what's left for granted… just like the people I lost when I fell into the Core. Within a month or two, no one will remember you even being a god. They will just remember you… as Sonic the Hedgehog, a close friend of theirs.

"So everything I've been told was… a complete waste of my time?" Sonic asked.

Something in Dharkon's code has prompted him to give you those powers and turn you into something you were not supposed to be: his own puppet, Gaster went on. It had led us to believe it was a checksum that did this, and we were planning to restart everything. However, it seems you and your friends have gone too far for that to happen, and you still made the promise to keep the Smash Balls alive… as well as finding the ones who work for her. The best we can do right now is to just get rid of the memories of the other worlds you visited before you got your newfound powers and… keep the story that had already been predetermined going. You still have an important part to play, but we might be afraid you could take away the fun aspect of the immersion and destroy it completely unless we were to write out the fact that you even had powers entirely. After all… everything is just a game, and not even cheaters are above consequences.

Sonic turned away from W.D. Gaster, unable to process whatever the man who speaks in hands into common sense. He had been told that the full potential of the Rainbolements were an unneeded part of the story that had to be rewritten out (with a few exceptions), trying to fathom the statistics that parts of his own code were discarded entirely. Maybe this process might be good for the blue hedgehog and his pals. After all… it's rude to talk about someone who's listening.

"Thanks, I guess… for not telling me you removed the trait about me that could have aided us against that psychotic goddess we know is alive out there," Sonic spoke softly. "It's not like it couldn't have helped us win the battle at the endgame… if there even is one."

I am sorry, Gaster responded. It is for the best and here I hoped you would not notice and continue the mission by playing the game set up before you.

"...And what about the world I visited?" Sonic asked, shifting his focus to a different question.

The world you visited during the transporter's early stages of development… it WAS Mobius, Gaster answered. It ended up that way because you failed to stop an epidemic of metallic zombies infecting your world to a global scale. Before others were given the chance to make up another backup plan regardless of doomed failure, that universe was destroyed entirely. However, the shard that created it is still alive, meaning it is not entirely gone. It had been relocated to the Pure Zone, where it has been rebuilding itself to this day. The progress you and the other Super Smash Brothers will still remain, but the evidence of your travels throughout other worlds and earning the full potential of these elements would be nothing more than a distant memory. You still have a chance to learn about the lore that was left behind. It will be more difficult, sure. But the payoff will be entirely worth it. A tear began to build up in Sonic's eye, dripping down his face before he wiped it off. The blue hedgehog just needed some time alone to figure this out. He knew only his friends could help him now, and the fact that he was significantly altered to not even come close to game-breaking… whatever that meant. He probably second-guessed himself and became aware that maybe being some sort of Mary Sue was not the best option. Besides, he knew it was even less satisfying than living and learning the hard way.

Why was he even crying about this? He's Sonic the Hedgehog, for crying out loud. He said it once and he said it again: he did not need that creature's help if he can do things on his own, and this time he was going to prove it. He was letting his own past weight him down instead of living in the moment.

He was always like this.

"Hey… W.D.?" Sonic asked. "Do you think you can leave me alone for a while? I don't know for how long, but… I feel like there are tons of challenges I can handle on my own, if at best with my other friends. Maybe one day I can figure out what exactly happened to Mobius and… how I ended up here to begin with."

I understand, Gaster finished. There will always be more to do, and I am glad you have realized the thoughts of your own past are weighing you down. As for the other Eyes of God, let us come to an agreement that they will be interacting with their own masters. In fact, one of them has already made a bond with a certain anthropomorphic dog you might be familiar with. If ever you need me, I will always be within you. May we meet again in another time. The darkness vanished, leaving Sonic alone in his apartment once again.

The blue hedgehog rubbed his hands through his quills, starting to become aware what the monster said could be true. It might have been worth it regardless if it was meant to not even be a part of the multiverse because it would just be broken beyond usefulness. He slowly came to a self-realization that he was already powerful enough as it is. He had survived corruption. He never gives up, and he always fights back for the right thing. Hell, he even has astounding reaction times as well as agility and some superhuman strength from his small size alone… and his full control of everything in his body down to the smallest molecules made him feel more powerful than he once was with those elements.

Sonic became fully aware that he didn't get every bit of information from Gaster, but he knew whatever happened to his planet will have to come back later. He cleared his mind of the confusion plaguing his head, knowing it was for the best if someone out there wanted to have a good experience one way or another. Even before Galeem and Dharkon came and screwed everyone over, Sonic still went through all that after everything they did to break his spirit.

He healed and recovered.

As the remaining memories of what his friends told him about having the elementals disappeared from his head, the blue hedgehog heard a knock on the door.

"Hey, Sonic? It's me, Fox," the voice spoke outside. "Can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure," Sonic replied. The Star Fox mercenary walked in through the sliding door, looking around the tidied place. Everything was organized into its own box and suitcase, showing that Sonic was pretty much finished.

"I came to have a little chat with you," Fox replied. "I noticed while you were running, you seem to have had a distraught face as though something went horribly wrong in your life."

"It was all in the past now," Sonic answered. "I've learned how to suck it up as quickly as possible."

"That's good to hear," Fox replied. "But you do kinda know whatever it is you're keeping in your head instead of venting it out might not be healthy. I guess you already crossed that part out of your list, since you look better than ever."

"Thanks, and the same goes to you too," the blue hedgehog complimented, dashing over to the bathroom and taking his stuff from there. "Though I'm kinda curious, do you remember me having any Rainbolements? Just asking."

"I don't really know," Fox McCloud answered with honesty in his tone. "Last I remember, the dragons seem to be the only ones that have it. I don't know if it had something to do with you, though." Sonic glanced back at the mercenary in his room, aware that whatever he did to get rid of his memories to save the multiverse was also affecting his friends too. There were still some things left unanswered, like the whole ordeal about the Zombots and how he left his world. He was even wondering if something like the elements had affected his character entirely.

"Hey Fox…?" Sonic asked. "Remember when you told me I'll still be your friend, no matter what insane powers I have? That I'll have to get used to change eventually?" Fox nodded, giving the blue devil a relieved sigh of hope that some people were still remembering the more important details.

"You came to a more broader understanding of yourself, didn't you?" Fox asked.

"I guess I did," Sonic noted, walking out of the bathroom and packing his remaining supplies into an empty suitcase. "And I just realized I'm still the way I am, even if I'm different from the lot of you. It's almost like I'm unique… but also the same."

"Now you're getting it," Fox chuckled, walking up to the blue hedgehog and rubbing the back of his head until his quills were fuzzy. "Don't really know where I got that idea to begin with, but I'm glad you know you've developed."

"Hey. Speaking of which, wanna help me move all this stuff to the Smash Fortress?" Sonic asked. "I've been planning to head on over there too. I'll handle the more heavier stuff, don't worry."

"Sure," Fox replied, taking one of the boxes and moving it out of the apartment. "I'll be glad too. Maybe we can learn a little bit more about each other, if you'd like."


Mario was sneaking through Dead Bird Studios, avoiding the line of sight from the Express Owls and Moon Penguins scanning the place. The red plumber was hiding behind the props as best as he could, and he quickly spotted Banjo and Kazooie rehearsing their lines for the Conductor's action movie.

"Uh… let's see how this is gonna go… ahem! 'Worry not, Clarabelle! I and my trusty sidekick will rescue you from the clutches of the evil Dan Nasty and save the train before it blows up!'" Banjo rehearsed as best as he could, trying his best to memorize the part.

"Ugh! No! You need more passion!" the Conductor criticized, rubbing the tip of his beak. "How are you two going to make it into stardom if you don't make your first acting role nail you on that board? And what are you C.A.W. Agents doing!? The dummies are supposed to go over there! Let me show you, you idiotic peck necks…" As soon as the Conductor left the conversation with the bear and the Breegull, Mario attracted their attention of the duo with a quiet sound from behind a stack of wooden crates.

"Pst! Over here! It's-a me, Mario," Mario whispered, peeking his head out from behind the barrel as a way to not attract the attention of the anthropomorphic birds on the set. "Can you two come over here, please?" Banjo & Kazooie spotted the familiar red cap, and the bear followed Mario behind the props.

"Mario?" Banjo asked. "What are you doing here? This is a movie set!" Mario clasped his hands down on Banjo's snout, silencing the anthropomorphic bear.

"I know, but can you keep quiet?" Mario asked. "I think I know a way to get the Time Pieces without having either director win them for themselves. But I need your help. Duck Hunt's too."

"Oh, that's what they're called? But how are we going to get those hourglasses if DJ Grooves and his team are gonna kill us the second we set foot in their set?" Mario handed the Breegull a pack of white napkins, some chloroform, and a bottle of ketchup with some fake knives. Kazooie looked down on the items, her gaze becoming suspicious at the red plumber.

"Where did you find these?" Kazooie asked.

"Stole it from one of the hospital offices located in the studio," Mario quietly answered. "Apparently, they have a lot of shifts covering injuries inflicted on the stunt doubles. And don't worry about Duck Hunt. They're going to be used as a distraction for the birds guarding the Time Pieces."

"That's fine and all, but… what plan do you have?" Banjo asked.

"Simple: we sneak through the studio until we get to the award ceremony room and take all the Time Pieces," Mario explained. "It's completely foolproof. We take the Time Pieces before the Movie Awards Ceremony begins, and we flee before anyone notices they're gone all while they're tearing at each other's throats over who deserves it better."

"Do you know where to go?" Banjo asked. Mario nodded, sneaking through the props.

"Just exit the sets and head to the largest stage in the studio," Mario explained. "We'll be gone before anyone else notices, and if anyone gets suspicious… we're going to be murdering people." Banjo's and Kazooie's faces were completely pale, unable to deal with the sickened butterflies in their stomachs.

"You don't mean… actual murder, do you?" Kazooie asked.

"What? No! Don't be-a silly, Kazooie," Mario responded. "Why do you think I got the chloroform and fake knives? We'll be knocking these guys out and make it look like someone's killing two birds with one stone throughout the sets. I gave a set to the Duck Hunt duo and let them know what to do, so this might be a cinch." An Express Owl just so happened to catch the Smashers behind the props, his wide eyes reflecting the dim lights from the set like they were flashlights.

"Who goes there? Hey! No interfering with the actors! Boss's orders!" the Express Owl called out. Mario quickly ran up to the owl with a chloroform-soaked napkin in his hand, pressing it tightly against his beak before the bird could make any noise. The Express Owl fell limp against the floor without anyone from the Conductor's crew noticing what just happened.

"Alright, now hand me the knife and ketchup," Mario whispered. "Just-a trust me." The worried bear handed the red plumber the supplies. Mario squeezed a puddle of ketchup on the floor, staining the unconscious Express Owl's chest with "blood" before sticking the fake knife into his chest.

"Let's go," Mario continued, moving behind the props. "The sooner we get the Time Pieces back for Hat Kid, the sooner we can use those pellets of ours to get back home once everything in that world is clear." The fighters moved through the Owl Express, trying their best not to get caught.


Min Min had been walking through a new location found on the planet, which was ruled by the paranormal activity abundant in a spooky forest concealed by a thick, purple fog permanently blocking the sun. The temperature was below average, and multiple fox-like ghosts were warming themselves near the several campfires scattered throughout the forest floor.

"Hello?" Min Min called out, wandering near a gnarled and broken village where serpentine spirits wearing various animal masks were soaring through the twisted branches of the dead trees populating the forest like a garden graveyard.

"I'm looking for someone named Sieg," Min Min called out. "Has anybody seen him? I need to get him back! Please…?" By the time she was walking near a campfire where a trip of blue-colored fox spirits were dancing around a fire, the same campfire exploded into a large burst of flames, scaring the Ramen Bomber to where she released a startled screech during the event. The blue fox spirits laughed as their bodies vanished into smoke, giving out their thanks to someone that had thrown a painting into the fire and helped them commit suicide. That someone just so happened to reveal themselves behind the dying campfire, their eyes glowing a bright yellow from within the shadows of the forest.

"What are you doing here?" a slightly raspy voice asked. The campfire's faint light revealed what appeared to be slightly pale skin and glassy eyes with dark circles underneath.

"Are you the… Mii Brawler Mario was looking for?" Min Min asked, recognizing the exact same face behind the sickly demeanor.

"Min Min?" Sieg asked, instantly recognizing the ARMS fighter as the woman who arrived at the Smash Mansion. "You shouldn't be here. Get out. Now!"

"What? Why?" Min Min asked. "Why do you look like that?"

"The boss is gonna have my head if he sees me slacking in the job!" Sieg continued, trying to push Min Min away. "You HAVE to get going unless you want to end up like me!"

"No," Min Min objected, standing her ground. "I am not leaving until I take you and all those Time Pieces with me. Mario and the others might be worried sick."

"I can't," the Mii Brawler denied. "Orders are orders, and no one can leave Subcon Forest alive! Everyone here is freaky, even the suicidal foxes! I can still hear their laughter as they're burned alive through the paintings… I'm giving you one last chance to scram unless you want your head popped off!"

"I am not leaving without you!" Min Min snapped. "You have to come back. You can't look like this."

"I know," the Brawler Ultimate Reborn answered, aware of his ghoulish appearance. "I only sold my soul off to the boss so I could get those strange hourglasses too. I don't know what he wants with them, but I have to stay behind. How about a deal? You save my soul, and in return we both escape from this place."

"With the Time Pieces," Min Min added, crossing her arms in front of her bosom.

"Deal," the Mii Brawler finished, quickly pulling a rope he found on the forest floor. A net sprung up below Min Min, trapping her inside.

"What's the big idea!?" Min Min yelled, struggling and kicking inside. "Let me go!"

"I'm sorry," Sieg confessed, guilty of what he had done as he held onto the rope while ghostly bells began to ring throughout the forest. "Again, they're the boss's orders." Darkness began to envelop the area, transforming it into a deep purple hue with streaks of yellow. The Mii Brawler let go of the rope, dropping the net with Min Min trapped inside. The ramen bomber squirmed out, glancing at the Brawler Ultimate Reborn with a feeling that she was betrayed. That was… until she heard the sound of purple mist swirl around her.

The mist spiraled into a tall and menacing shape, forming itself into a black form with a dark-purple hue. Claw-shaped hands twitched from long arms, with a tail that seemed to merge with the lower half of the hunched body. A hairy mane grew around the creature's neck, followed by a pair of yellow eyes and a mouth with fangs stretching across his face.

"AAAAA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~! FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!" the ghostly figure laughed, giving the ramen bomber a complete sense of insecurity. "You blew it! You totally screwed yourself! Oh, how I thought I would never get two flesh-covered morsels in my forest on the same day. Excellent work, my minion. I have a special task for you later once I'm done with this girl, so don't run off yet." The Brawler Ultimate Reborn swallowed the lump in his throat, giving off a fake smile.

"Who are you?" Min Min asked.

"Who am I? Who am I?!" the ghost asked. "Do you mean to tell me you've never heard about the all-powerful, cunning, ruthless entity that is me!? The Snatcher!? Then you're in luck, because you'll get to live long enough to see how I take care of business around here. That's right… Just like your little friend over here, he decided to choose life over death and gave up his soul just after he heard I was missing a couple braindead servants after the old contractor had his head popped off. He'll get his soul back once he clears every contract I have in store for him, so he's fine… for now. If you want yourself and your little friend to live, then you better live under my rules. Just sign this contract with your blood and we can get started. Don't worry about the pesky details, because after all… who needs em?" The Snatcher snapped his fingers, spawning in a contract from thin air. Min Min carefully read through the paper, becoming fully aware that the only thing this ghost was keeping was her soul.

"Are you sure you know what you're doing?" the Mii Brawler asked. "He isn't one to play fair, you know…"

"I know what I'm doing," Min Min replied, already up to date with what a stranger like the Snatcher might bring. The large, raven-black quill feather pricked her finger, coloring itself into the redness of her dripping blood. The ramen bomber signed her name on the dotted line at the bottom of the contract, and once she moved her quill away from the paper it vanished into a purple flame.

"Excellent!" the Snatcher laughed, still keeping that Cheshire grin on his face. "Now then… let me just take this from you." Min Min gasped for breath as she felt her own soul be sapped away from her body. She felt a good portion of the colors that made her outfit pop get sapped away until they were tinted in gray. Min Min felt rather exhausted and unhealthy in every way.

"Don't worry, you'll get it back," the Snatcher continued, letting Min Min's ghostly soul vanish into thin air. "As for you, strange human, you've got a Toilet of Doom to clean up, and my minions will be handing you the plunger to clear the gunk out."

"Good luck, Min Min," Sieg sighed, just ready to head out into the darkness. "If you ever need me, I'll be in the Dweller Village, exterminating a monster living in an outhouse. I don't even want to look in there without gagging…" When the sickly Mii Brawler disappeared, Min Min looked up at the Snatcher's face with whatever energy she had left.

"Unfortunately, my current devotee took care of most of the work, so you're down to one job," the Snatcher explained, his fingers trailing over Min Min's shoulder. "It's a simple task that Mii Brawler left behind for newbies such as yourself, and with the way you look you seem to have plenty of experience. There's a manor at the coldest part of the woods. Why don't you go pay the beldam living there a visit? She certainly wouldn't mind if you steal all those Time Pieces from her attic."

"Why don't you go get them?" Min Min asked. "For you being a ghost and all, this kind of job should be easy." However, the Snatcher laughed at that comment, coughing and clearing his throat once it got dry.

"Do you really think I would go up to the witch and just knock on her door?" the Snatcher asked. "Besides, I have better things to do and you're the only one for the job. Just walk up to the old lady, and we'll hope you won't have to resort to your fists. At least be glad I'm doing you a favor through this one simple task, and you can be on your merry way once you get your soul back. One of my minions will show you the way to the manor." The Snatcher snapped his fingers, instantly warping in a small humanoid figure with a white luminescence for a face within the hood. The creature walked up to Min Min, taking her hand and leading her out of the area.

"Oh, one more thing: I'll give you an additional reward if you help out an old friend of mine… though I don't know how long he's been in that forsaken place," the Snatcher finished. "Let's just say he knows the old hag better than I do…" Min Min took this strange advice, and she let the Snatcher's minion lead her through the spooky forest.

It only took a few minutes for the small creature to let Min Min follow her to her assigned destination, where the gnarled plants seemed to have wilted and died within the cold alongside the ruins of any household near the area. No winter in China ever felt this cold to her, not even the lowest recorded to date. Pillars of ice were sticking out from the ground, with the frozen bodies of all the poor, unfortunate souls who entered this domain. The icy winds swirled around in the sky, clouding even the foggy mist concealing the woods. The two traveled past the rusted gates, walking across a frozen lake for Min Min to see more terrified faces underneath.

Min Min let go of the creature's hand, approaching the front door of the tall, twisted manor. The ramen bomber spat in her hands, rubbing them together before she activated the Dragon ARM on her left arm and launched it straight through the door with a mighty punch.

"Who's there!?" an ominous voice called out from the end of the hallway, giving Min Min quite a scare. "Who dares enter my home!?" Glowing-red eyes pierced through the darkness, and the minion quickly pulled the ramen bomber away from the creature's line of sight. The Snatcher's minion hid Min Min behind the right corner of the house, just before the figure peeked out of the broken door. She was uncannily tall, with wispy hair blending into the darkened background. Her piercing-red eyes gleamed for a sense of an unquenchable bloodthirst for anyone who dared to enter. The hag pointed her gnarled, crooked talons at two large, headless guards standing near the gate, who shut both doors for the open gate.

"Look after the garden for me," the creature rasped. "I'll be preparing some cookies and tea for our new guest. They're to die for." The minion peeked out from behind the corner, relieved the beldam didn't set foot outside the mutilated front door to search for the intruder herself. They then glanced back at the young woman with their probable cyclopic vision.

"I completely forgot to mention you shouldn't be using those… fist-like weapons of yours inside the manor," the minion replied. "You probably should have read through the contract first, heh-heh…"

"Why?" Min Min asked. "I can just knock the woman out easily and I can get what the Snatcher wants."

"I don't know either, but orders are orders. No exceptions," the Snatcher's minion answered. "Sorry, newbie. I'll be taking those brawler privileges from you now." Min Min sighed as she quickly came to the conclusion that the Snatcher would have her head if she said no. The ramen bomber had no idea why the dealmaker even considered taking away those ARMS of hers, but she probably suspected he wanted to study her weakness. So, she took off the Dragon ARM on her left arm, and she tossed her second Dragon ARM, her Megawatt, and her Ramram towards the minion.

"And what about your mask?" the minion asked. "I've got a pretty good feeling that mask is also linked to your strange ability."

"That's correct," Min Min replied, touching the orange mask underneath her straight bangs. "This mask is actually pretty important, since it helps stabilize the ARMS Gene inside those who have it. The arms themselves return to normal once the mask is taken off, and if anyone were to use the ARMS ability with the mask off… let's just say for me my arms would become limp noodles."

"Huh. Neat," the minio replied. "However, it's still the boss's orders. You'll have to take it off and sneak through the manor by other means necessary. Don't worry; I'll give you back your stuff once you've got the stuff. Just look for the keys and try to survive." The ramen bomber slipped her mask off, quietly wincing as her ramen noodle-shaped arms transformed into human flesh and she gave it to the minion. The hooded creature disappeared in a poof of violet smoke, and Min Min snuck past the guards.

She entered the manor, her footsteps pacing the floor as she minded the thunderstorm outside. The faint candlelight on the chandeliers gave an eerie feeling to her as she wandered through the hallway. She quietly opened the door to her right, letting the thunderstorm give her a good view of the room she was in. Bookshelves were aligned near the walls, with a piano in the center. On the left of the room seemed to be the kitchen.

"Hm… if I were a key, where would I be?" Min Min quietly asked, instantly spotting a golden key wedged between the books in the shelf next to her. She quickly snatched the object, but not before hearing an insane laughter from the hag come from the kitchen. She quickly ran out the door as fast as she could the second a pair of piercing eyes of red hidden beneath a mop of tangled hair came into the room.

"You don't think I know where you are, dear child!?" the hag asked, her voice calling out of the room. Min Min quickly made it to a locked door at the end of the hallway, instantly unlocking it and making her way up the stairs to the next floor. The ramen bomber quickly placed her back against the clawed wall, her heart beating faster by the minute as she tried to calm herself.

That woman was nothing of the likes she had seen, and she was terrified of it. But why would she be scared of something she never met before? Min Min tried to calm herself, breathing in and out as she saw her next target: another locked door at the other side of the manor's floor. The ramen bomber slipped into what she presumed was the beldam's bedroom, which had a mirror for makeup and candlelight hung around the walls. She spotted another key just hanging over the edge of the top frames of the bed curtains, much to her luckiness.

The maskless Min Min felt her hand brush against the drawer next to the bed, which she didn't mean to open. It wasn't of her intentions to do so, and she knew it was wrong. But the habit to snoop around, even for a quick sneak peak, was already in her fingertips. Before she knew it, she pulled out a dusty diary from the drawer. Words colored in golden thread were imprinted on the cover, simply labeling it as "Queen Vanessa's Diary." As Min Min opened the book, she realized most of the pages were torn out.

"My Prince, my Prince," one of the few remaining pages in the diary read. "How could you do this to me? After everything I did for you to become your lawfully wedded? To leave me for some… girl? You don't even feel the pain I have in my heart right now, freezing deep inside me and turning my heart once filled with love for you into nothing more than a block of ice. And all because you chose to be with another maiden. If only I could lock you up in the manor until you accept your new fate as my husband… and no one other than me will ever be with you again."

"This all sounds melodramatic, no offense," Min Min quietly told herself, setting the diary on the drawer. She walked up to the bed, grabbing hold of one of the frames and shaking it violently until the nuts and bolts tying the parts of the bed frame together began to squeak. The door to the bedroom violently swung open at the exact same time the thunder rumbled outside. Min Min quickly got below the bed, hearing the heavy thuds of the witch's footsteps as she walked around the bedroom in pursuit of the defenseless ramen bomber.

"Come out, little one," the woman flowing like mist spoke. "Don't hide from me…" Min Min slowly peaked out from below the bed, seeing the witch place the diary back in the drawer. This led Min Min to come to the conclusion that this horrifying hag is, in fact, Queen Vanessa herself. As soon as the crone exited her bedroom, she shut the door quite forcefully. The vibration of the door knocked the key off the bed frame, and Min Min crawled out from below the bed to grab it from the floor.

She emerged from the bedroom, hearing the sound of a running shower from another room opposite of the one she had been too. Min Min heard the muffled humming of Queen Vanessa, who sang of nothing more than her sweet prince in a language she didn't fully understand. The ramen bomber tiptoed across the floor, inserting the key into the locked door and opening it. She scaled the stairway up to the attic, and she was glad she managed to slip from the termagant's icy-cold grip.

Min Min opened the double doors to the drafty room, where bats that were hanging on the frames of the roof during the time flew into the outer corners. There, within the light of the thunderbolt flashing outside, is an open chest filled with Time Pieces. Min Min approached the mysterious relics, just about ready to take them all and leave.

"Wait…" a voice that didn't belong to the witch downstairs called out to the ramen bomber. "You can't leave here, not without Vanessa roaming the manor…"

"What? Who's there?" Min Min asked, scanning the attic for the other voice. The thunder rumbled again, and there she looked up and saw chains strung across the ceiling. She followed the chains where they all met at: a strange, ghostly figure sitting on a pile of chains. His ectoplasmic skin was a pale periwinkle, wearing an orange jacket that resembled a prince's clothing. Chains were attached to his wrists, and a smile graced his crescent-shaped face underneath two mismatching eyes.

"No one in particular, but you can call me… the Moonjumper," the ghostly figure replied. "If you're willing to collect these hourglasses for yourself, please. Do so as you like. Vanessa just took all she could find in the land around her domain, and she just left them here to collect dust."

"Thanks…" Min Min replied, searching the attic for an empty sack. She found one and began placing one Time Piece at a time into the sack. "Any idea what this… witch wants with me?"

"Ah, that horrible woman. Like hell I could even call her that anymore," the Moonjumper sighed. "I should know. I was left to rot in her basement. She literally placed a curse over her manor, meaning any ghost, ghoul, wraith, or soul that enters her place can never escape as long as she's alive. Trust me. I've tried countless times to just simply… float out of here. Not like it would make much of a difference considering there's a wall of fire surrounding the forest that prevents any paranormality from leaving. You should be lucky the Snatcher takes souls from anyone he doesn't feel like eating."

"But I don't really understand: what did I even do to have her hunt me down like that?" Min Min asked. "She says no one other than herself will ever be with her 'Prince' again." Moonjumper laughed at that comment, relaxing as he leaned on the pile of chains like a chair.

"Ah, you mortals and your… silly little questions," the Moonjumper chuckled. "I remember that day like it was yesterday. Subcon Forest didn't always look like this. It was a story of fairytale romance, a time of settlement, two lines of royalty met here and arranged a marriage for their firstborn children to negotiate peace between their kingdoms. The matchmaking seemed to have worked, for as both Vanessa and her Prince were married they established a new kingdom that they called Subcon: a merging of their houses. Over time, Vanessa spent every waking moment of her sweet prince, even styling her hair after him. This kind of love would soon be torn apart by her own misunderstanding.

"On the anniversary of their wedding, the Prince went out to the market to buy flowers for Vanessa. At that time, I was once alive like him, and I was merely a butler of their household: the very one you are now in. He was paying the woman who worked as a florist there, and right around the corner I saw her. The beautiful Queen Vanessa, with hair black as ebony, eyes blue as the sea, and skin white as snow… believing her sweet Prince was having an adulterous affair. Before the Prince returned to the manor, I tried explaining the truth to her, but at this point I had seen what had become of her: a dependent, selfish hag who wants to be with no one else other than the one she called her 'Prince', and anyone who even did something simple as chat with him would be dead where they once stood. She didn't truly care for her husband at all. She was cold, manipulative, and at worst… abusive.

"Vanessa didn't listen to anyone since then, and she had her guards lock the Prince up here once he returned home with the flowers he bought for her. Her icy wrath brought forth chaos and dismay upon the townsfolk, ending the lives of all those who lived in Subcon and gripped them in permanent cold. When I tried to tell her to stop all this, she chained me up in the basement. She became delusional, dolling me up in the Prince's clothes while the real one would become one with the darkness. What remained of the ruler of Subcon vanished before the curse was even placed over the manor. Eventually, I embraced the sweet release of death through loneliness, but she's been keeping me from escaping the hole she dug deep into… and she has still been digging since."

"Wow… that's so sad," Min Min spoke, having just put the last Time Piece in the sack. "I didn't even know it got that depressing over a simple misunderstanding."

"It's too late to even bring a sign of sense into her head at this point," the Moonjumper continued. "Everything she did to turn this place into a forest of nightmares is irreversible. No way back to reverse her damage. I'm still surprised she even lived for a few hundred years…"

"What are you doing with my Time Pieces!?" Queen Vanessa's voice shrieked. Min Min jumped upon hearing the voice of the cold-hearted witch, with the Moonjumper hiding behind the ramen bomber. "You're even hanging out with the wretched vermin!" Vanessa cast a wave of icicles at Min Min, forcing the ramen bomber to grab the sack and take a leap of faith over the misty hag. Min Min quickly ran down the stairs, with Vanessa chasing her down at full speed, and shut the doors in front of the witch before locking it.

"Quick! Moonjumper! Get anything heavy from one of the rooms and barricade the door!" Min Min ordered the ghost, who followed behind her through the doors before Queen Vanessa caught him in her icy grip. The ghostly puppet pulled out a crib from the nursery near the master bedroom, pushing it in front of the doors. Vanessa began pounding on the door, signs of heavy frost growing on the handles.

"Let's go!" Min Min told the Moonjumper, grabbing the sack of Time Pieces and making haste towards the door to the lower floor. Vanessa's crooked fingers clawed their way through the chilling marks she made on the door, her glacial shrieks piercing throughout the manor. Min Min and the Moonjumper ran down the stairs, seeing freedom outside the manor just from the broken-down front doors.

"We're almost there…!" Min Min exclaimed, dashing towards the door with her new ghostly acquaintance. Before they even got close, the Moonjumper cried for help as blackened claws gripped tight to the lower half of his body. The ramen bomber quickly turned around to see the menacing figure of Queen Vanessa and her misty hair with eyes of bloodshot red gazing upon the ARMS fighter.

"Where do you think you're going, dear child!?" Queen Vanessa snarled at Min Min, holding on tight to the Moonjumper as her frigid touch was spreading across the bright orange clothes he was wearing. The witch cast an ice pillar in front of Min Min as she tried to run out, blocking her only chance of escaping.

"You and your new friend have been severely rude guests within my household. And no one will even remember you existed." Min Min looked up to see that Queen Vanessa was below the chandelier hanging above her crooked form, and the ramen bomber knew that if she activated the ARMS Gene within her now without the mask, her arms will end up in a tangled mess. She knew the Snatcher made this deal with her to test what she can do, and that thing just so happened to be facing off against an ex-wife that would be more yandere than anything else without her ARMS.

A glimmer in Min Min's spiral eyes flashed on her irises, going a full circle around the shape before gleaming in a cross off-center. She knew exactly what to do in this situation, as well as how to save the Moonjumper from turning into a poltergeist popsicle. She threw out her left arm, activating the ARMS Gene within it and transforming that limb into a pile of noodles. Those noodles wrapped around the loop of the chandelier, and Min Min managed to gather enough strength to tear the whole decorative light from the ceiling. The ramen bomber quickly spun her left shoulder around in circles, drawing in the chandelier close to her like a robot winding up a powerful throw like a bowling ball. She launched the chandelier at the witch at high force, knocking out a good portion of the walls in the hallway. The Moonjumper squirmed out of Vanessa's grip before she was knocked back, and Min Min quickly grabbed the bag of Time Pieces with her right hand.

"I know another way out! Follow me!" Min Min told the ghostly puppet. The two ran upstairs, with Min Min's limp noodle-ARMS dragging behind her. The surviving candles that were knocked off the walls began to light up the dried paint peeling off the walls, igniting a few good flames that seemed to quickly grow bigger through each passing second. Queen Vanessa pushed the chandelier off herself, pursuing the two characters at a slow speed while her form seemed to shift to more mutated and monstrous.

"Are you gonna be okay?" the Moonjumper asked, concerned about Min Min's left arm as she pushed the objects from the nursery aside as they were blocking the way up to the attic.

"Yeah," Min Min replied, kicking the cold door down as she grabbed the bag of Time Pieces again. "It's gonna go back to normal once I put my mask back on." The puppet yelped as he saw the bright red-orange flames burn through the floor of the manor's second level.

"Uh… I don't wanna rush you or anything, but…" the Moonjumper advised Min Min, pointing at the floor they were standing on. Min Min glanced down in shock as she saw a combustion of fire burn through the entire ground floor, and the tongues of flame dissolved their way up the manor. Min Min held on tight to the sack with the Time Pieces, pulling the noodles of her disabled left arm out of the blazing fire as the Moonjumper followed behind her.

The manor itself was easily flammable thanks to the degrading from years of isolation, which meant the roof was beginning to show signs of collapsing from the fire. Min Min launched herself to a surviving beam of wood poking out from the burning roof. The ramen bomber raced across the top of the manor, scaling up and down the angles of the roof until she and the Moonjumper were just about to jump to the front. Just before Min Min could escape the manor with the Time Pieces, she felt something cold and gnarled grip the ends of the noodles attached to her left shoulder.

She gasped in horror as the bright orange hue of the inferno that quickly spread across the manor revealed what looked like to be the true form of who was once a crooked hag concealed and left ambiguous in the darkened mist. Queen Vanessa's body was revealed to be emaciated and near-skeletal covered in mummified flesh, wearing a thin dress of silk that was worn down to the point where it almost looked no different from torn tissue. Huge, boney hands were disproportionate compared to her legs, which did no favors either in amplifying the creepiness of Vanessa if she wasn't already terrifying enough. What made her disturbing most of all was her nightmarish face that would make any brave hero fall into a fit of hysterics. Her rotting smile stretched across her face, her eyes of red piercing through moth-eaten hair and charcoal skin.

"You… are horrible visitors!" Vanessa snarled, her pose becoming more akin to a lion's as she held tighter to Min Min's disabled ARM and grew some frost on the noodles. "What makes you think you can come into my manor and try to take my Prince from me!? You're just like the rest of my victims. They are delusional!" Vanessa used her second hand to grip onto Min Min's disabled ARM, speeding up the process of frosting the ramen bomber's noodles and pulling her closer to the hag as the flames burned hotter.

"Worthless!" the hag went on, dragging Min Min closer to her by each word of spite and hatred.

"And moronic!" Queen Vanessa snarled, her mouth beginning to foam from a rabid lust to turn the ramen bomber into ice. "After all… there isn't even anyone who would care to love you… not even your own family." At this point, Min Min snapped. Hearing those words that described her… they were too painful to hear. The ramen bomber looked back at the Moonjumper, then back at the terrifying Vanessa, where she clenched her fist on her right arm.

"No… YOU'RE the one who's moronic," Min Min spoke up, feeling the arctic chill of the witch's touch drop in temperature near the shoulder of her noodle-shaped ARM the longer Vanessa held on. "Don't you see your Prince still loved you before you left him to rot in some dungeon around here? He was only buying flowers for you that day because he wanted to surprise you! Why can't you just think things through!?"

"Because he lied to me! He broke me!" Vanessa growled.

"The only person you broke was yourself," Min Min snapped, taking a stand upon what remained of the burning roof. "You've been keeping yourself away from people only to be with your husband for so long that you forgot what love even means. And I'm not afraid of you anymore. I'm not afraid of what you can do, or how much power you have over Subcon Forest!" Min Min walked up to the termagant, the cold touch spreading near the left side of her own body.

"You liar… admit it…" Vanessa growled. "YOU ARE AFRAID OF ME!" The crone was about to pull Min Min into the fire, but the Moonjumper flew straight into her face. He began attacking Vanessa with punches, forcing the witch to let go of Min Min's half-frozen ARM and fall behind herself. The beldam lost her balance on one of the planks of wood, and she was sent falling into the conflagration enveloping her manor, with only her damned screams rising out from the smoke.

Because Vanessa let go of Min Min thanks to the Moonjumper, the ramen bomber slipped and fell in front of the manor. The Moonjumper soared to Min Min's rescue with his flight abilities, catching the ARMS fighter before she hit the ice-cold lake. The two landed in a nearby pile of snow, landing in front of the two headless guards left patrolling the land around the manor. Before they could even point their spears at the ramen bomber and the ghostly puppet, the headless guards collapsed into dust, leaving them to widely suspect they were created from Vanessa's magic.

Min Min and the Moonjumper sat in the snow, watching the spectacle that was nothing short of a complete disaster burn down what remained of Queen Vanessa's Manor into nothing more than sticks of black against a fiery inferno show.

"Oh my God…" the Moonjumper said, unknowing of what to make of the events that just happened. "You did it. You killed Vanessa and freed everyone from her curse… well, at least saving the spirits of Subcon Forest. Everyone else in there is already dead after being frozen in ice for so long. But hey: at least you accomplished something, and you didn't even have to resort to using your fists."

"Yeah, I guess I did something," Min Min sighed, pulling out her limp ARM towards herself. "Snatcher's gonna kill me. I was only supposed to pay Vanessa a visit. What if I did something horrible? What if she was the only one who was keeping all these spirits trapped in the forest so they don't infect the world and later beyond?"

"Hey, relax," the Moonjumper hushed. "Again, what Vanessa did was permanent, even her most important spell. That wall of fire ain't going away anytime soon, and neither is this icy part of the land. Nothing's gonna change, really. Which is a total bummer, I guess."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Min Min noted. "Because I kinda wanted to see what you would look like as a human."

"Same here," the Moonjumper sighed. "It's been so long since I've had a body that I forgot what it even looks like. I guess we're all losers in the end. By the way, I never really caught your name."

"Min Min," the ramen bomber replied.

"Min Min… I like that…" the Moonjumper noted. "Whelp, I'll be seeing you around soon. It was fun while it lasted." The ghostly puppet vanished into thin air, and Min Min was left sitting in front of a burning household. The Snatcher's minion that came back to give the ramen bomber her things looked up at the blazing manor in complete horror.

"Snatcher's gonna kill me if he finds out I didn't tell him about this," the minion pointed out. "By the way, you got the Time Pieces?" Min Min grabbed hold of the sack, tossing it at the minion's feet. They checked through the sack, counting the hourglasses inside.

"Yep," the minion continued. "Everything checks out. Take your things and head on over to the Toilet of Doom's lair. The Snatcher has a surprise waiting for you once the Mii Brawler has finished unclogging it." The minion disappeared in purple smoke, and Min Min rekindled with her mask as well as the various ARMS she brought along. She slipped the orange mask onto her face, by which he left ARM was shaking off the chilling frost and recoiling itself back to normal. She picked up her ARMS and attached them to her waist, ready for whatever was coming next in her way.


Sieg was rather busy fighting off a ravenous, moving outhouse in an empty lair filled with chains with cages and skeletons hanging from the ceiling. The outhouse was belching explosive toxic bubbles from the toilet, by which the Mii Brawler was quickly dodging them before grabbing a second plunger from his back and sticking it between the outhouse's door. Sieg quickly squeezed into the outhouse, yelling ferociously as he slammed his primary plunger into the toilet, thrusting the suction cup in and out of the gunk-filled water closet. Min Min walked over the walls surrounding the circular area, surprised the Mii Brawler was quite busy attacking a mutant outhouse.

"Hey, Sieg!" the ramen bomber called out waving to him from the sidelines. "How's work coming along?"

"I'm kinda busy right now!" the Brawler Ultimate Reborn yelled, slamming the plunger in and out of the Toilet of Doom. "Almost there… got it!" The Mii Brawler pulled out a slimy, ectoplasm-vomiting urchin with a single eye and tentacles instead of spikes.

"There, see? The Subcon Forest has got a sewage problem all thanks to this guy," Sieg laughed triumphantly, walking out of the empty outhouse. He then tossed the creature into a black bag he carried around, with Min Min running over to him.

"Nice job!" Min Min spoke with excitement. "So… guess we should wait around till the Snatcher gives us our stuff back?"

"Hope so," watching a couple of the Snatcher's minions shove the outhouse away. "I've completed most of the chores, like helping the Fire Spirits commit suicide and delivering packages to his minions. Where's our damn reward already? We've got plenty of these hourglasses that I've heard controlled time."

"Would that be the reward?" Min Min asked, pointing behind Sieg. There, lying on the floor, were all the Time Pieces the two fighters collected.

"Huh," Sieg spoke. "Wonder where those came from." The Mii Brawler was just about to reach for the magical hourglasses but was stopped by the threatening voice of the Snatcher.

"Wait up, kids," the ghostly figure spoke. "Remember how the old contractor had his head popped off?" The two fighters looked up at their supernatural boss, who appeared in the center of the lair.

"That wasn't a coincidence," he continued. "It popped off the moment he stopped being useful to me. And guess who else just became obsolete? That's right. You two. Now that that possessed outhouse and that old ice witch aren't bothering me anymore, and all those chores are tidied away… I don't need you simpletons around."

"W-What!?" Min Min asked in complete disbelief. "We did what you asked! You took our souls and were gonna kill us if we didn't do what you said. I risked my life just to get these Time Pieces for y-"

"Silence," the Snatcher responded, pressing his finger against her lips. "That's just how it is. It's all part of the business. Besides, you didn't think I was gonna keep all those Time Pieces and not let you give them back to some alien kid, did you? They fell in my forest. They belong to ME.

"Hey! We gave up our souls so we can live, and this is how you repay us!?" Sieg snapped, approaching the Snatcher. "We know those hourglasses don't belong to you, you backstabbing, cheating, pompous, greedy shitlord!"

"DON'T YOU DARE SPEAK THAT KIND OF LANGUAGE IN MY FOREST!" Snatcher replied, smacking the Mii Brawler hard in the face with his hand. "I may be a cheater, but at least I have standards." The Snatcher began to cover the stage in complete darkness, scaring the two fighters completely once they were met with the thought of complete betrayal and silence.

"Time to see what I'm really capable of, kids," the Snatcher spoke. "Say goodbye to those little heads of yours!" The lights in the lair switched back on, but there was a waterfall of yellow and violet-blue lights surrounding the walls. Hundreds of the Snatcher's minions appeared near the walls, excited for the fight to take place.

"But first… how about a little musical number to warm up my vocals?" the Snatcher asked.

"Wait… like, an actual musical number?" Min Min asked.

"Oh boy, here we go," Sieg sighed in annoyance, aware that a battle like this was about to get intense. The Snatcher focused his line of sight at the two fighters, with a ray of light shining from his yellow eyes upon them. A red circle appeared below the two fighters, forcing Sieg to push Min Min aside. The Snatcher kept his eyes on the two fighters, using the ground as a laser-filled hazard as he began to sing his own boss theme.

Run along this forest trail

Now you'll find you'll fail

The Snatcher stopped using his laser attack, but he instead spread his hands and called forth his minions to gather up in groups of two, each one near his hands.

Never gonna reach that goal

Now give me your souls!

Sieg and Min Min jumped up and down above the groups of minions spinning around the Snatcher, the both of them trying to look for any signs of the boss's weakness in the fight from just a blue outline while having to deal with the Snatcher's singing.

Some advice

Don't think twice

Should have known I wasn't nice!

Once the minions jumped into the background, the Snatcher spawned a few blue vials of potions above his head. He started launching them at the Brawler Ultimate Reborn and the ramen bomber, by which the two fighters were rolling around on the ground and were trying to avoid magical explosions.

Off with your heads

The air's filled with dreads

Got no more use for you

And when you signed

That dotted line

You should have thought it through!

More potions began raining down upon the stage, forcing Min Min to shield the Mii Brawler while she extended her Megawatt ARM to smash the potions that were still in the air. A few droplets were landing near the Snatcher, who backed away in fear of getting tainted by the blue liquid within the potions. This gave the Brawler Ultimate Reborn an idea of how to beat the Snatcher, but first both he and Min Min have to survive against an onslaught of shadowy versions of the two characters that were taunting the originals.

Your subconscious hanging on

Clinging to your fear

Every haunt just moved along

But now the Snatcher's here!

The Snatcher reappeared in the center of the stage, spawning in more lasers from the ground in groups of three for a little while Since there was no real time to attack the ghoul, the best Min Min and the Mii Brawler could do was survive against both grounded lasers and the Snatcher's impressive singing voice.

And the weird and the wild

Should have left you both beguiled

Guess that's that,

Your own deeds defiled

Took my jobs and took time to bask

Now it's time to take you to task!

Sieg and Min Min both found cover from the grounded lasers, except they ended up on opposite sides of the lair. The Snatcher snapped his fingers, creating a bunch of mirrors scattered randomly throughout the stage.

And while the ink is slowly drying

It's time that you get dying!

Your Contract Has Expired

Sleep now in the fire!

You're gonna meet your match

Your soul belongs to Snatcher!

Now let's sing higher!

Shortly after all the mirrors spawned in, small lasers began flying all over the place. While the Mii Brawler was trying his hardest not to get burned, Min Min was quickly performing upward kicks to reflect the incoming lasers.

And the weird and the wild

Should have left you both beguiled

Guess that's that,

Your own deeds defiled

Took my jobs and took time to bask

Now it's time to take you to task!

Snatcher began mixing up his potion attack a bit, now sending a barrage of a thousand potions per person fighting him. Min Min switched her right arm over to Ramram ARM, taking down several potions at once. She looked over to the Snatcher, who seemed to have a peculiar phobia towards the color blue.

And while the ink is slowly drying

It's time that you get dying!

Your Contract Has Expired

Sleep now in the fire!

You're gonna meet your match

Your soul belongs to Snatcher!

Your service is no longer required!

"Hey, Min Min! I got a plan!" Sieg called out to the ramen bomber as he whacked a few clones of himself Snatcher created for the purpose of mocking him away.

"Really?" Min Min asked, not paying attention to her own clones taunting her. The Mii Brawler had the ramen bomber move down so he could give her an idea of what to do through her ear.

"You see the potions that the Snatcher's throwing?" the Mii Brawler quietly explained. "They're all blue, so if we manage to throw at least one of them at the Snatcher we can beat him!"

"I like where you're going with this, but we might have to wait till he probably gets tired or something…" Just after Sieg explained the plan, the Snatcher began popping up around the stage, releasing shockwaves on the ground as he kept up singing.

Some advice

Don't think twice

Should have known I wasn't nice

And when you signed

That dotted line

You should have thought it through!

The Snatcher reappeared at the center yet again, except this time he reached into the toxic water in the center and began pulling out a long bubble wand. He spun around in place, using the wind from his movement to generate a mine field of toxic bubbles all throughout the stage.

If you think

That I'm a stink

Then get a lawyer!

'Cause I'm the best employer!

The toxic bubbles began to explode after quite some time, forcing the two fighters to once again duck and avoid. The Snatcher was surprised they were even still alive, so he called forth his minions and had them spin around in circles again in groups near his hands. He continued his singing while mixing up his attacks, which were usually lasers emerging from the ground.

Got complaints? You got a form?

Let's review how you perform!

Your subconscious hanging on

Clinging to your fear

Every haunt just moved along

But now the Snatcher's here!

While the Snatcher was performing a rain of potions, Min Min quickly used both of her Dragon ARMS to collect a few potions from the air. She quickly began to jump up and down as the ghostly boss was using his ground-shaking abilities, holding on tight to the potions she collected.

And the weird and the wild

Should have left you both beguiled

Guess that's that,

Your own deeds defiled

Took my jobs and took time to bask

Now it's time to take you to task!

The Snatcher began to play out a new move, which involved him increasing in size and dive-bombing onto the lair's floor and releasing electric force fields. Little did he know that the Mii Brawler (his current target) was distracting him from Min Min, who was filling the toxic gunk in the center of the arena with the blue vials until the green gunk began to turn a bright blue. However, she held onto one in case the plan didn't work.

And while the ink is slowly drying

It's time that you get dying!

Your Contract Has Expired

Sleep now in the fire!

You're gonna meet your match

Your soul belongs to Snatcher!

Your service is no longer required!

It somehow seemed to work, as once the Snatcher finished his move he accidentally sunk his ghostly tail into the blue sludge. The second he noticed something was wrong with the color while he held his note during the last verse, Min Min threw the potion she kept around right at the Snatcher's back. The background music during the fight stopped almost instantly, and even the hooded minions backed farther away.

"...Did you just color me blue with my own attack?" the Snatcher asked. "This cannot count… right? Surely this doesn't count!" Min Min quickly jumped on the ghost's back, wrapping his ARMS around his lanky ones and pressing them tightly together against his chest.

"Now, Mii Brawler!" the Ramen Bomber called out. Sieg jumped high into the air and began rapidly jabbing at the defenseless Snatcher's face. After a few seconds of jabbing, the Mii Brawler finished the fight with a powerful punch at the Snatcher's face. And with that, the stage was consumed in darkness.

"Min Min, you alright?" the Brawler Ultimate Reborn asked, helping the ramen bomber get back up onto her feet.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Min Min replied. "Let's just get out souls and leave with the Time Pieces." The two fighters found the Snatcher lurking in the darkness, his yellow eyes piercing through the black area.

"You two… are blatantly disrespectful…" the Snatcher panted. "I feel… so weak… Please… have mercy..." The Mii Brawler and Min Min only ran closer to the Snatcher, still determined to get what they wanted.

"Please… HAVE A SEAT!" The Snatcher's face instantly grew to an enormous size, scaring the two fighters until they were forced to sit down on chairs that spawned behind them. The Snatcher shrunk down to his normal size, ready to talk to the two mortals he lost against.

"All these Time Pieces landed in MY forest. They are MY property. So, let's make a deal. You two get out of my forest, and we never see you again. How's that sound for a deal? Here: I'm going to make this a bit easier for the both of you." The Snatcher snapped his fingers, spawning a big contract by which he slapped a wax stamp of his face near the dotted line before he presented it to Min Min and the Mii Brawler.

"Get out. Just get out," Sieg read out loud. "You own the following: nothing. Get out."

"Hm… well we could leave right now, but maybe we would like a few things from you," Min Min asked of the Snatcher

"Please don't… I'm giving you two a chance to scram out of my woods," the Snatcher nervously laughed. "You're really starting to get on my nerves, you know. What if… I give you your souls back? Will that give you the confidence you need to sign this contract and leave?" The souls that belonged to the Brawler Ultimate Reborn and Min Min were returned to their respectful owners, filling them both with the vibrant colors and feeling of being energized they had once more.

"And all the Time Pieces," Min Min encouraged.

"What!?" the Snatcher asked. "Don't you understand the raw power they possess!? With all this energy, one can rewrite the laws of the world!" The masked ramen bomber gave the shadowy figure a funny look.

"What are you looking at me for?" the Snatcher asked again, confused by the smug expression Min Min was still giving him. "Are you even listening? Contracts are contracts! Look: just sign your names and get out. No excuses, no exceptions. Just get out."

"We're not leaving till we get all those Time Pieces from you," Sieg butted in.

"... You're not gonna leave until I'm supposed to fork it over to you simpletons, aren't you?" the Snatcher asked. "Okay, fine! Every Time Piece in Subcon Forest! Are you happy now? Just sign the darn contract already…" The ghostly figure snapped his fingers, plopping a pile of every Time Piece he and his minions got in the forest.

"If I ever see you two wandering around my forest, I'll be very disappointed!" the Snatcher called out as Min Min signed the contract before giving the quill to the Mii Brawler. The two fighters took all the Time Pieces without another word and left the dark location generated within Subcon Forest.


Inside the spaceship's engine room, Mustache Girl was still struggling against her bondages. However, she had recently caught notice of a small fire that was burning high up on the engine next to her. She swung herself up to the top of that engine at full force, quickly landing next to the engine and heating up the rope that tied her up.

The rope caught on fire, burning off Mustache Girl's bondages off completely. She quickly wriggled free, spitting out the sock gagging her mouth. Mustache Girl grabbed on tight to the hook crane she was latched onto, sliding all the way down to the cold floor. The door to the engine room slid open for her, leading her into the main hub.

"We interrupt this program to bring you some exciting news going down at Dead Bird Studios!" the raven spokesperson broadcasted on Hat Kid's TV, to which Mustache Girl quickly sat down for. "The Time Pieces chosen for the Annual Award have been reported to have been mysteriously stolen. Witnesses say they've found no evidence for the robbers, but one thing's for sure: the crews led by DJ Grooves and the Conductor are blaming each other. We now go live on the scene." The camera in the news footage cut to the stage where the Movie Awards was supposed to take place, with feathers from knocked-out owls and penguins flying all over the screen.

"Hey, bird-brain!" DJ Grooves snapped, attempting to grab the Conductor's throat with his flippers. "This is what you get for sending your men to kill my Moon Penguins!"

"Sending mai men!?" the Conductor objected. "You're the one who's been killing my Express Owls behind me back, ya peck neck!" As the two avian directors attacked each other, Mustache Girl looked very closely on the stage in the background and spotted none other than Mario, Duck Hunt, and Banjo & Kazooie sneaking past the fight with the Time Pieces in their possession. She turned the knob to change the channel, and there she found Hat Kid avoiding towering, pollen-infected goats as she attacked a large flower in the center of the island. Mustache Girl then turned off the TV and climbed up the ladder to the Time Piece vault.

"Alright," Mustache Girl chuckled. "Time to mess with time a little!" The hooded child opened up the vault, pulling it wide open. Mustache Girl laughed triumphantly as she took hold of a few Time Pieces, and she quickly gathered up as much as her arms could muster and smashed them all into the ground. A bright flash of glowing sand surrounded her completely, changing everything in general.


By the time the incident happened, Hat Kid and the fighters that arrived on the planet she was stuck on were already unconscious. Mario was the first of the crew to wake up, horrified by what happened to the state of the world in general.

"Ah! Ah! What's-a going on here!?" Mario asked, beginning to stir Kazooie up from her sleep.

"Is it getting hot out here, or is it just me?" Kazooie asked, also stirring up from sleep. Banjo was lightly tapping her on the head. Hat Kid woke up next, looking at the current state of the environment around her. Duck Hunt, Mii Brawler, and Min Min were also waking up, completely oblivious to what happened.

"Uh… guys?" Banjo asked. "Were we always in front of that castle?" The team members suddenly noticed they were on a stairway going across an ocean of lava that seemed to stretch across for miles on end. All the residents of the planet were lining up at a castle decorated with golden statues depicting you-know-who.

"Oh no… I warned her that using the Time Pieces is extremely dangerous," Hat Kid groaned. "And I was just about to finish saving all the Nomads and Goats from a flower plague."

"Says-a you," Mario replied. "We were just about to escape the studio with all those Time Pieces."

"And I was almost finished with the third flower," Hat Kid replied. Something fishy's going on right now, and I think it has something to do with Mustache Girl. Come on." The alien girl soared up the stairs, and the other fighters followed behind her. Everyone ranging from residents of Mafia Town to hooded enigmas that have settled in the Alpine Skyline. Creatures big and small, living and dead, were all lined up for something at the castle.

"Whatever's going on in that castle, we're gonna get to the bottom of this," Sieg told everybody. The group walked up the castle stairs, where the castle gates were barely open. Just waiting outside were the major characters of that world: the Mafia Boss (with his remains in a jar), the Conductor, DJ Grooves, the Snatcher, and Moonjumper.

"First you're just living the time of your life," the Snatcher sighed in complete annoyance. "Your abusive wife is dead, you're considering giving your minions an extra payment… Next thing you know you're standing in line and getting judged by some rando who thinks that just because they have all the power doesn't mean they're good for the job. Hey wait a minute… aren't you two the brats who… oh no…" The Snatcher crouched down and made eye level on the Smashers, starting to recognize a couple of them.

"Oi! Pecks necks! Check inside and show 'em who's boss!" the Conductor told the group.

"That's right!" the Mafia Boss spoke out. "You better hurry fast because my insides are starting to boil…"

"The little rivalry between me and Conductor is far from over, but we've learned there are far more priorities than just those. Knock em dead, folks."

"We'll be right behind you," the Moonjumper replied, nudging the humongous doors open a bit wider. "We know you're the guys who caused this, and you're the guys who are going to fix this."

Hat Kid pushed open the door at the end of the hallway just through the entrance. She and her friends walked into a room filled with large velvet curtains housing all the Time Pieces the Hat Kid had in her collection. There, on top of the largest pile of Time Pieces, sat Mustache Girl on a throne of gold and red velvet in front of a stained-glass window with one of the magical hourglasses imprinted on it. The hooded girl was interrogating a Mafia Town resident, judging whether he was good or bad.

"And Mafia did not hit make for, like, two days straight!" the mafia member confessed.

"Oh, what a touching story..." Mustache Girl spoke with sarcastic sorrow. "Just kidding. Bad guy. Next!" A large trapdoor opened underneath the mafia man, dropping him into almost certain death.

"I said next!" Mustache Girl called out. The fighters and Hat Kid slowly walked up to below Mustache Girl, ready to be judged for what they did.

"Hm… well you guys are incredibly selfish, and one of you even managed to tie me up after I told her to go into Subcon Forest… but you never really got in my way. You get to go on. You're good guys, I guess." The doors swung open behind the group, giving them a chance to go leave the castle.

"Well? Go on. You get to live," Mustache Girl replied. "Neeeeeeext!"

"Listen-a Mustache Girl," Mario objected as Hat Kid was the only one to walk up to Mustache Girl. "You have no idea what you're doing. This isn't doing justice for anyone."

"Despite being here for such a short time, we've determined that not everyone is a bad guy," the Mii Brawler responded. "I think…" Before Hat Kid could even talk to Mustache Girl straight to her face, the hooded girl slapped her hard in the face. Hat Kid was knocked back to the bottom of the pile, much to the dismay of her friends.

"EXCUSE ME!?" Mustache Girl asked, personally offended that someone like Hat Kid would go up to someone of the highest authority, including herself. "You and your friends are not allowed anywhere near me. I don't think any of you quite know who's in charge here, little lassie. I once thought we were going to be best friends forever. But no: all of you have become rotten and selfish." Mustache Girl jumped down from her throne, her eyes filled with a sense of wrongful justice.

"After everything I did without you," Mustache Girl replied. "I brought justice back from its roots. I AM the justice. No more bad guys ever. You are the bad guys… and I will show you how this justice system deals with bad guys!" The fighters readied their weapons, preparing themselves for a showdown to remember.

Mustache Girl began teleporting around, using her newfound powers from within those hourglasses of hers to generate powered punches from behind. Min Min threw out her Megawatt ARM at the girl as she grabbed one of the Time Pieces, allowing Hat Kid to run as fast as she could on those noodle arms. The alien girl slammed her umbrella into Mustache Girl's face, knocking her down to the floor with great impact.

"You think I'm just some poor defenseless girl who doesn't know the difference between good and evil?" Mustache Girl snapped, quickly grabbing one of the Time Pieces lying on the ground with her newfound teleportation powers and smashing it on the carpeted floor. Time began to rewind itself to the instant Hat Kid knocked her down to the floor, giving Mustache Girl the reaction time necessary to grab the umbrella before it hit her face.

"To you fiends, it was merely a couple minutes," Mustache Girl continued, slamming Hat Kid down with an impact powerful enough to dent the floor. "But to me, it was a lifetime of studying how these Time Pieces work. How with a simple shatter it can take you back to the past just mere seconds before your luck changed." The Mii Brawler quickly grabbed Mustache Girl by the next before suplexing her, but the girl from Mafia Town kicked herself off Sieg after the attack. She slammed her fist into the ground, creating fissures of violet light from the following cracks. Duck Hunt quickly pulled a fast-recovering Hat Kid away from the ongoing chaos.

"Have you ever witnessed the feeling of dying over and over again, only to be granted a second chance in life to fix what you did wrong?" Mustache Girl went on in her monologue, having gone completely mad with power. "I have… and I never felt better!" The girl with the shag unleashed a powerful laser from her fingertips, aiming it at Banjo & Kazooie. She blasted the bear-and-bird duo through the open door, knocking them completely out of the throne room.

"Oi! Wake up, bird brains!" the Conductor squawked, pulling Banjo back onto his feet. The bear and the Breegull looked around themselves, seeing all the various characters gathered outside the throne room to get revenge on the girl.

"Let's give the mustached girl something she can take so she can get lost!" the Conductor pointed out. "Alright, mafia! Assemble!" Several members of the Mafia Gang climbed up on top of each other, with the Conductor getting ready to roll on the top.

"All aboard!" the Conductor cawed.

"Alright, Banjo," Kazooie pointed out, watching all the lasers and shockwaves go on inside the throne room. "This is gonna take accurate precision, so be careful where you-" Banjo simply kicked the mafia ball forward, causing it to roll at top speed. While Mustache Girl was busy focusing on Min Min as her target, the Conductor rolled into the fight and rammed a ball made out of Mafia Gang criminals into the girl.

"And do you often get the feeling that it's destiny? Like you know what's going to happen, but you enjoy the easy victories anyway?" Mustache Girl went on, crawling over to another Time Piece and smashing it on the ground. Time reversed itself again, cutting back to the moment when the Mafia Ball was about to hit her. Mustache Girl quickly generated a shield around herself, bracing for impact against a crashing wave of Mafia Gang goons raining down upon her.

The child grabbed on tight to Min Min's Dragon ARMS, swinging the ramen bomber around like a ragdoll. She slammed Min Min's body into Mario and Hat Kid, the latter of which she was knocked out of the throne room like Banjo and Kazooie were.

"Hm… you must be quite the interesting specimen…" the Snatcher spoke, his hands underneath his invisible chin. "Are you the one who caused all this? If so, then tell this girl to get lost."

"Yeah… about that, do you think you've got any bombs that can destroy shields of any invincibility?" Hat Kid asked. The Snatcher looked down upon the alien girl in confusion.

"Do you think I'm stupid enough to give you bombs?" the shadowy figure asked. At first, he was going to decline the thought until the Moonjumper appeared beside him.

"You're the only one out of any of us who can create anything from just a thought," the Moonjumper reassured. "Okay, how about this? I pledge my eternal servitude to you so this kid won't have to give your hers, and in return you create bombs for the goats to throw."

"...How would that be a deal?" Snatcher asked.

"I've seen you help the Dwellers become your minions by signing their lives away," the Moonjumper responded. "I want the mustached girl gone as much as you do." In slight annoyance, the Snatcher created a contract, and the Moonjumper quickly signed the contract. The Snatcher got to work on creating the bombs, giving them to the goats for them to throw into the throne room.

While Mustache Girl was creating earthquakes from a single punch, Duck Hunt was kicking bombs right at her shield, breaking it almost instantly. Mario rushed in towards the hooded child, performing flaming punches and kicks as a means to hit Mustache Girl. The child quickly generated small shields on her arms, blocking the attacks from Mario.

"Past, present, future," Mustache Girl went on, kicking right in the red plumber's face. "I've seen all these timelines play throughout not just the outskirts of Mafia Town… but throughout the whole world and even the entire galaxy too. Just through all these Time Pieces alone, I created a solitary empire that knows what bad guys did in the past. If these relics make me on the same level as a god… then imagine what they might accomplish beyond the far corners of the universe." The split-second Mustache Girl was about to release another laser, Min Min wrapped her ARMS around the girl's waist and flung her around the room like a ragdoll. The ramen bomber tossed Mustache Girl into the air, where the Moonjumper floated in and created a gust of wind to make the power-corrupted child completely dizzy.

Once the Moonjumper slammed her down into the air, Hat Kid wall-jumped off one of the walls and whacked Mustache Girl like a tennis ball, sending her crashing into a pile of Time Pieces. As soon as Mustache Girl got back up, she spat out a loose tooth covered in bloody saliva. The hooded child pushed herself off the wall, ready to attack Hat Kid with as much fury as she got. Thankfully, Banjo and Kazooie rushed in to save the day by using the Wonderwing move and sent a violent-tempered Mustache Girl flying straight into her throne.

The girl was completely bruised with a broken arm and leg, and she tumbled down the pile of Time Pieces sitting below her throne. Hat Kid and the fighters stood their ground, not wanting to keep this bloodshed going any longer.

"She can get lost!" the Mafia Boss called out. Into the throne room walked the entire Mafia Gang, with one of the ruffians holding the jar of what remained of their boss.

"You and your mustache are not welcome here, little girl!" the Mafia Boss continued. "When I say get lost, the Mafia means get lost! Right?"

"Right!" the rest of the Mafia shouted triumphantly. "Mafia say: get lost!"

"That's right: get lost! No one wants yer ugly mug around their property any longer!" the Conductor called out, having already come in with his Express Owls and C.A.W. Agents. "Ain't that right, creepy fella?" The Snatcher and his minions, along with anyone else who lived in the forest aside from Vanessa and the Toilet of Doom appeared alongside the shadowy figure.

"This alternate reality stinks! We don't need another hero! Get lost!" the Snatcher called out. The Moonjumper appeared on the Snatcher's head, having also shown a sign of hatred for the Mustache Girl.

"Things were better when Vanessa was still alive!" the Moonjumper snapped at the mustached girl. "Make like the wind and get lost!" The heavy footsteps of multiple goats, along with the Nomads who rode on their backs, could be heard throughout the throne room as the anthropomorphic animals nodded in agreement to have the girl get lost.

"You're not the only ones who want that girl with the stache to get lost," DJ Grooves called out, with his Moon Penguins snapping their flippers like they were fingers. "Ain't that right, gentlemen?" The disco-like penguin director got a "Yep" and "For sure" from his avian men. Soon enough, everyone in the room began rioting and telling Mustache Girl to get lost.

"Wh… what? But I'm fixing everything!" Mustache Girl objected, trying to get up and stabilize her weakened body. "No more bad guys! Can't you see I'm doing this for all of us?"

"But trying to control people and forcing them to change overnight by penalty of death if they don't obey the law… who's the real bad guy here?" Min Min asked. "I mean, I've thought Dr. Coyle was the stereotypical bad guy, but through personal experience… I realize everyone is the protagonist of their own story.

"I think my friends might understand how villainy works better than you or I do, but what I do know is… everyone has their own lives," Hat Kid explained. "They each have their own problems to worry about, ranging from having to deal with the things they've lost to even reforming from their wicked ways. You can't change who people are, no matter how many of my Time Pieces you possess. The world is always going to be a shade of gray, no matter what. Neither black nor white cannot exist without the other… and there are some things you'll have to accept: things that you can never change." Mustache Girl stood in disbelief, feeling worse about the ones she once considered friends. Her expression changed into a boiling fit of rage, and she was beyond lunacy at this point.

"How can you stand with all these people?" Mustache Girl asked. "They're thieves, criminals, murderers… and you're helping them? This. Ends. NOW." The hooded child grabbed ahold of as many Time Pieces as she could carry, smashing them all onto the floor and enveloping everyone except for Hat Kid and the fighters within darkness. Soon enough, the group was on a circular stage, where spiralling colors were flashing all over the floor while multicolored cosmos were rapidly flying around behind a fence of bright pink synth waves.

"I know exactly how your tale is going to end," Mustache Girl snapped. "I know all about it, Hat Kid. You're going to get all you precious Time Pieces back… without using any one of them to bring an end to crime in this world. These hourglasses are helping me reset, helping me learn and adapt more of your weaknesses. And eventually… once I end you all…" Mustache Girl began teleporting rapidly around each of the fighters, hitting them hard all around their chests and making sure they stayed down just to prove her point.

"...then I'll finally rid this world of evil forever," Mustache Girl finished, manifesting all her power into some kind of orb of pure energy. Laughing triumphantly, Mustache Girl threw the humongous orb straight at the fighters, just about ready to end them right here and now.

However… something strange happened instead.

As the orb got closer and closer, Min Min felt a burning desire just waiting to be released. The rapid beating in her heart could not take it anymore. She felt something within her break free, filling her with the spirit they were looking for this whole time.

The determination powering a Smash Ball.

Hat Kid, Mario, Duck Hunt, Banjo & Kazooie, and Mii Brawler slowly opened up their eyes to see the ramen bomber herself glowing with a rainbow aura and golden irises, her left ARM transforming into draconic scales and powering up.

"What…?" Mustache Girl asked, ill-prepared to experience an event like this. "What is this?" Min Min kicked the orb back at the all-powerful girl, hurting her immensely.

"No, wait," Mustache Girl stammered, pulling out a Time Piece she stored in her red hood. "You're not supposed to be doing that! You're supposed to be defeated by the hero like a bad guy should!" Mustache Girl threw the Time Piece on the ground, but no matter how far it rewinded the magical grains of time-manipulating sand had no effect on Min Min's transformation.

"Why isn't this working? Maybe I need to throw more…" Mustache Girl stammered, slamming more Time Pieces onto the ground. Nothing seemed to be happening. "Why aren't you working, Time Pieces!? Could it be that my own powers are fading…? No… NO!" Mustache Girl's remaining powers exceeded at maximum, forcing her to dish out all she got at Min Min.

The ramen bomber began dodging everything Mustache Girl threw at her, with Hat Kid and the other Smashers backing up to the edge of the stage in awe of what they were currently witnessing. Lasers, shockwaves, shields, nothing mattered. Min Min's amplified Dragon ARM was going to plow through it anyway.

Min Min could feel as though the spirits of everyone she knew in the ARMS League were still beside her, assisting in the attack. Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Mechanica, Master Mummy, Twintelle, Byte and Barq, Helix, Kid Cobra, Lola Pop, Misango, Max Brass, Springtron, and Dr. Coyle were right beside Min Min, helping her deal devastating blows to Mustache Girl. Once they built up enough damage, Min Min finished the attack with a supercharged version of her left ARM, releasing a powerful laser against the child.

Mustache Girl was knocked out completely, reverting everything in the throne room back to normal. As Min Min's Final Smash seemed to have disappeared, she felt like she was going to faint from the lasting impact it had on her. Mario quickly caught her before the ramen bomber hit the floor, with Hat Kid running over to all the Time Pieces collected underneath that hooded child's throne.

"Alright, guys," Hat Kid reminded the group. "I'm gonna revert time a little and fix everything, so it's like this castle never existed. You guys got that?" Everyone except for Min Min nodded, who was still unconscious. Hat Kid grabbed a big chunk of the Time Pieces and slammed them onto the ground, reversing through time as though whatever Mustache Girl did to establish "justice" never existed.


Hat Kid and the veteran fighters opened their eyes, each and every one of them back on the alien girl's ship. The ship was fully operational, with the lights powering up the main hub. Hat Kid quickly climbed up the ladder to the vault, opening it and sighing with relief that each and every one of her Time Pieces was tucked safely in the vault.

"Hey, guys! Look at this!" Banjo called out to the fighters. They looked outside the glass door, which lacked the hole punched through it. The plane was just as good as ever, and there was no longer an ocean of lava covering the surface.

"Whelp, I guess it's another universe that's been saved thanks to us," Mario told his pals, with Min Min slowly starting to wake up. The golden glow from her spirally irises was completely gone.

"Wh… What happened?" Min Min asked.

"Remember when Sozo told us that a fighter from the realm of the ARMS Gene would be one of our newest recruits?" Sieg asked. "Um… welcome aboard. You're a Smasher now." Min Min's eyes widened in excitement, her mind clearly telling her this has to be a dream. The ramen bomber quickly got back up on her feet, giggling as she spun around with joy.

"Yes! Yes yes yes!" Min Min laughed. "I'm just so excited that I get to finally hang out with you guys! I-" The fighters looked over to Hat Kid, having almost completely forgot she was even there.

"Oh, I am so sorry about the whole incident of getting you in trouble and stuff…" Mario apologized to Hat Kid.

"No no… it was all my fault," Hat Kid replied. "It was my fault. I should have taken a different route back home, and I wouldn't have meddled with the Mafia and had you help make more friends for me… I hope we can see each other again." Mario reached into his front pocket to pull out one of the spare pellets he was keeping along.

"In case you feel like you're determined enough to come join us on some grand adventure throughout various dimensions…" Mario replied.

"Maybe someday, especially since I've got an email asking me if I could join you guys," Hat Kid pointed out. "Just thought I'd let you know."

"Oh, wait!" Min Min mentioned, carrying the two bowls of ramen she made for herself and Hat Kid. "I was just about to give you some ramen, considering you've never tried it before. It's a little cold right now…"

"Gee, thanks!" Hat Kid answered with a smile on her face as she took the bowl. She brought a spoonful of the soup to her lips, her eyes lighting up in delight.

"Mmm! This is the best meal I ever tasted!" Hat Kid praised.

"Thanks," Min Min gave thanks, her cheeks blushing red. "I'm a pretty talented chef in my side of the family. We make soup for a living."

"And it shows! Thanks, Min Min!" Hat Kid complimented with her mouth full.

"You're welcome," Min Min responded, handing the alien kid a recipe to make ramen the exact same way. "In case you want to do it yourself. Anyways, I gotta get going. I hope we can again someday!" Min Min held on to the bowl she made herself, taking another spare pellet Mario carried along.

"Whelp… I guess I'll be seeing you again-" Mario spoke before Hat Kid interrupted the red plumber with a farewell hug. When she parted from there's plumber, he walked up to his other partners and pressed his pellet twice. Kazooie reached into Banjo's backpack, pulling out a phone and tossing it to the alien kid.

"In case you wanna call us again," Kazooie pointed out, ducking as Banjo squeezed his pellet twice and warped out.

One by one, each of the fighters (Min Min included) disappeared in beams of white. Hat Kid was all alone on her ship again… with no one except her robot vacuum companion Rumbi. She finished the ramen bowl of hers down to the last drop, savoring the taste as she approached the glass door and opened it. She looked down upon the planet, glad that everything was back to the way it was.

From the view her spaceship was giving, Hat Kid looked deep into the center of the world's biggest ocean. She spotted the island of Mafia Town from far up high, even the unconscious body of Mustache Girl herself. The alien child took one of the spare Time Pieces that was next to her.

She began to think whether or not she should lend Mustache Girl some time-traveling power to defeat the Mafia or not. If she didn't, Hat Kid would have plenty of fuel to make it all the way back to her home planet, but even then the Mafia will still be around the island causing trouble for any bypassing spaceship that just so happened to be floating above it. If the alien girl was generous enough to give Mustache Girl some of the power she needs to rid her town of the mafia. But then that would mean she might have never confronted the Mafia, or the directors from Dead Bird Studios, or maybe even get along with Snatcher for much longer.

She knew the last time Mustache Girl used this kind of power, she became abusive with it to the point where she grew insane in trying to tip the scales of balance for good. Then again, she still was Hat Kid's friend, and maybe an act of selflessness might prove Mustache Girl wrong of what she once thought of as her alien friend.

Hat Kid went for the generous act in the end, aware that surely just one Time Piece wouldn't hurt. She watched as she tossed the hourglass from the sky, watching it slowly descend like a snowflake onto Mafia Town. She then closed the glass door, jumping straight into her captain's seat. Hat Kid pulled out a control panel, pressing a few buttons as she mimicked the robotic voices coming from each press. She then pushed herself away and watched as the vault opened itself up, sucking in whatever remaining Time Pieces were laying around in the living room.

The Hat Kid grabbed onto the lever on the right side of her seat, charging up the engines on her ship. Before the thrusters could even take off from the orbit around the planet, it began to wobble around to the point where it almost knocked Hat Kid off her seat. An alarm was blaring throughout the spaceship, alerting her that some excessive weight attached itself to the hull. She got up from her seat, walking over to the glass door and opening it to find a bunch of characters hanging on for dear life. They were a Mafia Gang member, the Snatcher, and the two avian directors the Conductor and DJ Grooves.

"Don't leave us!" the mafia goon cried.

"Hey, kiddo," the Snatcher called out. "I'm looking for a couple of your friends, see if they want to make another contract! Unless you're up for the risk…"

"Don't you dare leave with your strange friends, lass!" the Conductor wept.

"We kinda agreed on a truce after we found out our own staff members were just knocked out, but… still! We've got a movie to show, and we were wondering if you could stay for a while longer…" Hat Kid knew that she might not have had proper introductions, but she had to go without them. She used a broom to brush the Mafia Gang member's grip off the ship, leaving the four individuals to fall back onto the planet. The alien shut the glass door and got back onto her captain's seat.

As Hat Kid sat down, tears of goodbyes began to fill her eyes. She knew they might have a special place in her heart, and she was hoping to visit them again someday and earn proper introductions to them. Until then, she had to get back home. She powered her engines again, blasting her thrusters and zooming off at light-speed.


Sonic had just finished straightening out the sheets on his bed, having just unpacked the last box in his room. He licked his hand before rubbing it over his head in one smooth motion.

"There," Sonic told himself, keeping himself cocky as usual. "Good as new. I feel better already." He heard the sound of Rosalina gently knocking on the frame of his room's open door, by which he glanced back at the divine maiden.

"Mario and his friends are back," Rosalina pointed out, with a few of her Lumas floating past her. "They recruited a new fighter, just like the Master Hand foretold."

"A new fighter? I gotta go see them!" Sonic exclaimed with excitement, zipping out of his room.

"Wait for me," Rosalina chuckled, following behind the blue hedgehog. Sonic was obviously the first one at the front entrance, giving each of the four veteran fighters a welcome-back hug. As for Min Min, he looked at her with interest in her just in general.

"So… I don't think we've properly met," Sonic greeted. "My name's Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog."

"I know," Min Min laughed. "You already told me…"

"Uh… yeah. Guess I did. Welcome to the Smash Fortress… again, where Smashers can live together under the same roof. We've only got a few so far. Everyone else is off doing their own thing. Wanna stay here for a while? You can move all your stuff here, if that's fine."

"Of course!" Min Min replied. "I'd be glad to. I never really got a good tour of the place, to be honest."

"Oh, trust me," Sonic replied as the two fighters walked off into the mansion. "You're gonna love it here." Fox McCloud seemed to pass them, and he simply stood next to Mario for no particular reason.

"Kids these days," Fox chuckled. "They grow up so fast."

"Yeah, I guess so," Mario replied. "Wonder what other exciting adventures are out there? If there are any like the one we had recently been through. Wonder how that Hat Kid is living her life right now…


On the Hat Kid's ship, the engines had been purring as the control panel was currently set to autopilot. The Hat Kid herself was sleeping inside her room, surrounded by the toys of the strange individuals she met in her time in that world. Everything was quiet, everything was peaceful… that was until a siren blared all over the ship.

Hat Kid jumped out of her bed in fright, grumbling as she rubbed her tired face and walked over to the control panel while yawning. The alarm wouldn't stop blaring, and she pulled up the pilot controls so she could find the source of the siren. Nothing was damaged internally, the satellite dish remained untouched, and the wood was built specifically to protect Hat Kid from space stuff, like meteors and space junk. In fact, the ship's systems alerted her that a big piece of space junk hit the exterior. A tired Hat Kid activated the cameras built outside the ship, trying to find what the junk is and exterminate it.

However, the kind of space junk Hat Kid found was anything but small. The sleepiness left Hat Kid's face as she discovered what looked like anything but space junk. It seemed to have golden crystals that stuck out like rays of the sun, with the largest of them at the front. White and orange paint decorated the metallic plating, but what was most shocking of all was the strange alien creature trapped inside.

In desperation, Hat Kid quickly scanned the person inside for any readable life signs. By some miracle, the person that had a scythe-like weapon embedded into their head was still alive. Hat Kid began pressing buttons on her control panel, and claw-like arms extended outside the ship and dragged the mysterious engine into the ship. The ship alerted that neither the survivor nor the ship were harmed in any way, and that they were both inside the ship's machine room.

Hat Kid entered the room, watching the vehicle get ejected into the most spacious part. She ran over to the vehicle, prying the glass on the vehicle open. She pulled out the strange alien, holding him comfortably and measuring his steady heartbeat. The creature was blue and skinny all over, sporting a rather long tail that extended down to his taloned, kangaroo-like legs. Bandages were covering the creature's belly, and his arms were also long. He had no defining nose, floppy ears, a pair of glasses, peach-colored horns, and dark gray hair. The weapon lodged into his head looked like a miniature version of a scythe, with a very, very dark violet heel that seemed to look more like half of a jester's hat. Three golden objects were pierced through the blade, and the handle itself seemed to swirl between colors of neon green and dazzling indigo.

Unsure of what to do, Hat Kid quickly dragged the unconscious body to her room and rested the creature on her bed. She grabbed onto the phone left to her as a gift, which automatically called Banjo & Kazooie upon the situation.

Inside the Smash Fortress during the middle of the night, Banjo and Kazooie were sleeping in their respectful places: Banjo in a bed and Kazooie in the blue backpack hanging on a coat rack. The Breegull was already asleep, but she quickly jumped once she heard the sound of a phone ring inside the backpack. Kazooie quickly pulled it out and answered.

"Yello?" Kazooie asked.

"Kazooie?" Hat Kid requested from the phone. "Can I come visit you and Banjo for a second?"

"Why?" Kazooie groaned, rubbing her eyes with her free wing. "It's 3:27 am in the morning. What is so important you have to call us at this hour?"

"... It's an emergency," Hat Kid replied, holding the wounded creature beside her.


https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fmz1p0U_sPk

These are where I took the lyrics for Snatcher's song from. I have no affiliation towards the original artist, so give all that credit to the original video.

As for production in my future chapters, please note procrastination is being a complete bitch towards me right now. I will still be making progress, and I will be posting my next chapter either on July 10 (or sooner). After all, this is the first mini-arc I'll be developing, which could span across two chapters or three, depending on the time or patience. But just to be clear… the mini-arc is gonna involve Skylanders (and a mysterious guest I'm sure you people would be most excited for).

Until then, I'll be leaving off with this hint until the first few days of July when the next chapter drops!

Chaos, chaos~!

Chapter 98: Trouble in Skylands - Part 1

Summary:

After rescuing a young cadet from another world who doesn't remember anything of his own past, Hat Kid goes to Arcus to get help from Banjo & Kazooie, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Fox, Inkling, Pit, Ridley, Kirby, and Mewtwo. Little do they know that their next adventure would affect not just the world they've been transported into... but also their own worlds.

Chapter Text

Darkened clouds were covering the sun like a mist of black. Floating islands over a world that seemed to have no limitations in how far it would go were decimated in the blink of an eye almost instantly by multicolored explosions and armored trolls invading them on fleets of airships. The blue, skinny horned creature was running for his life, skidding at every corner he could possibly find. A bombardment of white spades the size of his head almost hit him as he quickly avoided them by running towards the right. They weren't the kind of spades that were sharp-edged tools, but the kind that was one of the four suits found in playing cards.

"Alchemo!" a voice called to the young blue creature with the glasses from a far distance. "This way!" The alien responded to the call, dashing straight ahead while he tried his best to avoid pillars of ice erecting off the ground. Pixelated explosions could be heard from all corners, with spinning white hearts floating straight at him. Each explosion contained four hearts each, aligned I to a square shape while rotating at the center point. Alchemo began throwing explosive potion bottles at his target, who was hidden in the ashes, smoke, and dust generated from the abandoned village.

Regardless of the outcome, he managed to survive a barrage of white diamonds raining down upon him and make it over to some sort of creature wearing a platinum astronaut suit with a crystalline head and a laser gun in his right hand.

"There you are!" the peculiar figure spoke. "You could have been killed out there! Why weren't you with the other cadets?"

"I'm sorry, Astroblast," Alchemo gasped, panting for breath as hard as he could. "I was separated from the other Skylanders when we were told to evacuate everyone on the island-" Bombs with a club suit imprinted on them were diving straight for the two individuals, with each projectile exploding into white clubs that each spread out in a three-way pattern. Astroblast quickly reached into his pockets and threw out multiple space rocks. He pulled out his gun and shot lasers at each space rock, which all fired lasers that covered up different sections of the area and decimated the clubs into dust.

"Alchemo, listen to me," Astroblast explained, holding a shield in front of the blue alien only three quarters the size of him. "There's a powerful force inside each vehicle that allows them to travel to distant worlds. Whatever this… monster wants, one thing's for sure: he's not from this realm. I'm counting on you to go out and find help."

"But… Kaos disabled all the portals! There's no way we can go out and get help!" Alchemo objected. Astroblast opened up the cockpit for his vehicle, pressing a few buttons on the control panel before turning on the engine. The veteran Skylander tossed the young cadet into the vehicle, cocking his laser gun as he heard a sinister and malevolent laugh from within the rubble of the island's destruction. Astroblast looked back on Alchemo.

"Once you get the Sun Runner into maximum overdrive, get as far away from the Skylands as you can," Astroblast continued. "Head to another universe, if you have to. Just come back with more Skylanders, okay?" The crystalline alien dashed straight into the mist, his scream going from ferocious to frightened upon entering the thick cloud of dust and going completely silent upon the strange monster shutting his trap. Alchemo quickly shut the window for the cockpit, grabbing onto the yoke and pulling it close to his bare chest. The Sun Runner slowly began to rise in the air.

"Uh… what do I do!?" Alchemo asked himself, trying to press every button and switch on the control panel in complete panic. "Isn't there an instruction manual for this kind of operation!?" Before Alchemo could touch one more knob, the wretch that supposedly ended the life of Astroblast flea into the air, his appearance concealed by the dark clouds. The young cadet gazed, with petrified eyes magnified by the lenses in his glasses, upon glimmering eyes that flashed yellow above a smiling mouth filled with pointed teeth. A small weapon thrown by the creature within the darkness slashed through the glass, and Alchemo felt a sharp pain strike right at his forehead. He only felt himself press the button his finger was over just a split second before his inevitable demise.

"What a shame, what a shame," a cunning voice with an extremely slight lisp spoke, echoing in the darkness that dived into the subconscious of the pain growing in Alchemo's mind. "The little one has left the game. But I won't worry about a thing, thing. You'll come back with more to play with."


*A short while later...

On the spaceship Hat Kid was traveling on, the strange animal was resting on the pile of pillows in the bedroom, with the mysterious weapon still embedded in his head. Hat Kid took out the white pellet she acquired from Mario, squeezing it twice before leaving it in the clawed hands of the creature she rescued. The alien girl watched as the wounded being she took into her ship vanished in a bright write light.

"Now how do I get to that strange realm Mario and the others were talking about?" Hat Kid asked herself. "Maybe that email I got before I flew over Mafia Town might work…" The alien girl ran on over to her computer and turned it on. She opened up the email she marked, where she clicked on the word "RETURN." At first, nothing seemed to be working for the alien girl, as the computer seemed to freeze for a brief moment. Then, the computer began to shake as the lights in her bedroom flickered on and off.

The screen on Hat Kid's computer began to glitch out, opening a blue vortex that seemed to suck her in by the cape. In total panic, the alien girl tried to run away, but the gravitational pull sucked her in completely. Next thing she knew was a bright light flashing over her and her own self ending up on a glowing platform.

Hat Kid opened up her eyes, feeling the clean and advanced architecture of the transporter she arrived in. Her big, blue eyes were amazed by the smooth, cool glow of the futuristic lights above and beneath her, clearly looking far more advanced than any other spaceship she's ever seen. She looked around the darkened room for a while, her mind lost on what she needed to focus on: the strange, wounded creature she brought along with.

She quickly remembered who she brought along here, and she frantically got up and ran over to the unconscious body of the horned alien. Hat Kid pulled his long arms over her shoulders, dragging him off the transporter into the nearest hallway. It was still the middle of the night during this time, so the moonlight was still shining bright in the night sky through the windows. Hat Kid could hear the sound of Banjo's footsteps just a few feet in front of her, making her feel aware she came to the right place.

"Hat Kid… what are you doing here at this time of night?" Kazooie asked, she and her bear partner completely tired as they walked into the moonlight. "It better be a good excuse to-" The Breegull gasped at the sight of the strange thing the alien girl brought on board, and Banjo was just as equally terrified.

"I can explain…" Hat Kid tried to reason. "This guy just showed up around my ship, and I took him in because he's still alive by some miracle. Please help me."

"Okay, okay," Banjo reassured Hat Kid, taking the unconscious creature into his arms. "Let's just… get him in an empty bed and pull this thing out of his head. It could be the reason why he's dying."

"Yeah, let's do that," Hat Kid replied. Banjo carried the otherworldly creature into a nearby hospital room, placing him on his back on top of the patient's bed. The bear looked at the strange, miniature weapon embedded in the scrawny alien's forehead, his paws carefully gripping onto the curved blade.

"Hat Kid?" Kazooie asked. "Can you hook up this thing's arm to a heart rate monitor? If you can find one, we'd be honored."

"How do I know what a heart rate monitor looks like?" the alien girl asked.

"Forget it," Kazooie replied, dismissing the whole request entirely as Banjo was slowly trying to pull the scythe out. "We may not be doctors, but we're clearly lifesavers. I think. Is that how it goes?"

"I'm not sure about that," Banjo replied with complete nervousness in his voice, not wanting to hurt the wounded thing.

"Just pull the scythe out!" Kazooie sighed. Banjo grabbed the green-and-indigo swirled handle, quickly pulling it out of the head. As the bear dislodged the scythe from the head, the weapon itself crumbled into dust in his paws. By the time the little scythe was no more, the young thing sprung up in complete panic like he had just woken up from a nightmare.

"Fire! Eon! Darkness! Kaos! Jevil!" the strange being exclaimed, tumbling around on the bed while bursting out random nonsense he clearly didn't think about through his own fangs and lips. "They're coming! Bad things are coming! I have to warn everyone about-!" The young Skylander stopped panicking for a brief second, his breath calming down as he looked at the three faces gazing back at him in the same amount of confusion plaguing their minds right now.

"Pardon my English, but what was I saying again?" the plucky and eccentric trainee asked, the random words he was spouting out having faded from his memory thanks to the wound caused by the small scythe weapon.

"You were talking about something about fire and darkness…" Kazooie answered.

"Was I…?" the young troop asked, scratching his dark gray messy hair behind his floppy ears. "I don't know why, but I have this strange feeling I'm forgetting things and at the same time… the words I said just recently sound too familiar…"

"I found you floating around near my ship in some sort of sun-shaped space vehicle," Hat Kid explained. "You were almost dead and I had to bring you in. What's your name?"

"Name…?" the creature asked himself. "I don't even know if… Alchemo. Yeah, that's my name."

"Alchemo, huh?" Banjo questioned in personal interest. "Any idea what you are, or where you came from? From the nonsense you were talking about, it seemed as though your world was under attack by something…"

"I… you see, the thing is… oh no…" Alchemo paused between words, just a few seconds before he came to the conclusion that he was a complete amnesiac. "Oh no! My memories! I don't remember anything about what happened to the realm I came from! I don't remember anything but my own name!"

"But… what about the stuff you were spitting out earlier?" Hat Kid asked. "Like something about fire and darkness? Not to mention proclaiming to seek out help?"

"Uh… good question," Alchemo replied, adjusting his big glasses. "I think whatever injured me must've screwed my memory a bit. Maybe some muscle memory triggered those words to fly out of my mouth, also thanks to… said whatever causing my memory loss."

"Hm… this does seem like a problem to us," Kazooie cooed, her expression changing to worrying as though she might know that whatever happened at Alchemo's world would affect theirs as well. "We better figure out where this guy came from, and stat. Maybe the rest of our pals could figure this out."

"Yeah," Banjo replied as he was scooping up the dust that strange weapon crumbled into and placing it into a jar. "I get the feeling something terrible is going to happen unless we figure out what's going on. Hat Kid. Alchemo. You're coming with us. It's time we reminded as many of our pals as we can about this scenario." Banjo adjusted the backpack Kazooie was living in, strutting out of the hospital bedroom before stopping and looking back at Hat Kid and Alchemo.

"Well, come on and follow us," Banjo continued. "We'll be heading to the Smash Fortress, and we can figure out what's going on." Alchemo rolled over to the side of the bed, slipping off the mattress and landing on his face. He quickly pulled himself up on the side of the bed, balancing himself back onto his feet. The scar on the young cadet's head seemed to fade away as Alchemo followed behind the bear-and-bird duo, with Hat Kid running after them.


The pale moon in the night sky was beginning to set, and the morning sun was just about to rise. Banjo & Kazooie were making their way over the bridge to the front entrance, with the alien girl and the horned creature trailing behind them.

"Whelp, we're almost there," Kazooie spoke. "And thanks for waking us up in the middle of the night to get us to drag you all the way out here, Hat Kid."

"Kazooie, don't be too harsh on the girl," Banjo replied. "Besides, if it wasn't for her, Alchemo might have never survived." Banjo pushed open the large doors, their creaking echoing throughout the humongous castle.

"Wowie," Hat Kid gasped in awe at how spacious and decorative it was. "This place sure is big."

"We felt the same way too," Banjo noted. "So far, we've only discovered a tiny portion of this place, and right now a few of us are living in our own rooms. But we're going to have to wait until everyone's awake- where did you get that?" While Banjo was talking, Hat Kid pulled out a megaphone from her cape.

"Oh, don't tell me you're gonna-" Kazooie spoke with irritation before Hat Kid brought her lips to the mouthpiece of the megaphone and turned it on. The initial sound the alien girl was speaking out from began to hurt the eardrums of Banjo, Kazooie, and Alchemo.

"Attention, whoever's living in this big place!" Hat Kid called out, the acoustic feedback ringing through the megaphone and her amplified voice echoing throughout the Smash Mansion. "We've got a strange alien that we saved from death after I picked him up, so would you guys please be so kind as to come on out and help find out where this guy came from? It would mean a lot!"

"Would someone keep whoever's awake quiet!?" Fox asked from upstairs, his voice raspy and dry from waking up in the middle of the night. "We're trying to sleep!" The leader of Team Star Fox was dressed in long-sleeved, striped pajamas with baby blue stripes, with his metallic boots poking out from the openings of the pants.

"I swear to God, if I find whoever made that noise, I'll-!" Fox snarled, growling through his teeth until his expression changed to one of surprise. The mercenary saw Banjo & Kazooie with the likes of a strange child wearing a hat and a skinny, blue alien with straight horns on his head and big glasses. Fox kept his maw shut, unable to say anything about this whole ordeal.

"It's 4 in the morning," Sonic groaned, walking out from the darkness upstairs in some white slippers while rubbing his eyes. Walking behind the blue hedgehog were a tired Pit and Inkling, both of them dressed in their nightgowns.

"Yeah…" Pit yawned, leaning on the railing near the stairs with sleepiness in his voice. "At least be glad Mewtwo's still asleep. Do you know how cranky he would get if you woke him up?" Just when the angel said that, the Genetic Pokémon teleported behind him, "holding" a sleeping Kirby (who was wearing a nightcap) so much as using his telekinesis abilities to keep Kirby beside him.

"I'm not one who needs to sleep in order to regain energy," Mewtwo telepathized, keeping the sleeping puffball around him. "However, I heard the sound of a girl speaking through a rather loud megaphone, meaning whatever is the problem has to be dealt with immediately."

"Gee. Thanks, Mr. Obvious. How could we have guessed?" Bowser growled, marching out of his bedroom past the corner. "I was trying to get my kid and the other Koopalings back to sleep after they woke up from some brat's noise, but thanks for the clarification of who started it." Donkey Kong and Ridley were also following behind the Koopa King, with the gorilla holding a large banana plushie in his right arm and Ridley tiredly dragging his claws against the polished wooden floor.

"I'm gonna tear the arms off the idiot who thought it was a good idea to wake up this whole floor because of… a… skinny blue alien thing…" Ridley snarled, his voice starting to calm down as he looked down on the ground floor and saw Banjo and Kazooie with the Hat Kid and Alchemo.

"What?" Sonic asked with the thought Ridley was mocking him based on his looks, straightening his bushy quills with the utmost snazziness as though he never got tired from waking up in the middle of the night. "I think I'll have you know I'm the most handsomest hedgehog alive, a one-of-a-kind unlike any other… oh. You were talking about the other guy downstairs, weren't you?"

"Who else would I be talking about?" Ridley asked. "To me, you're just the cocky asshole everybody likes for some reason." The Inkling chirped, trying to calm things down before the two fighters even got heated up over a conversation like this.

"Clementine's right… probably," Fox McCloud replied, with Kirby waking up in Mewtwo's telekinesis glow inches off the ground. "First, we all need to head downstairs and… see what's going on, according to Banjo and his pals."

"Guess so," Mewtwo telepathized, setting Kirby down onto the floor. "Since all of us are now awake, we might as well attend to the bear's and Breegull's singular request." Mewtwo floated off the floor and softly landed in front of Banjo & Kazooie, while the rest of the current fighters living in the fortress so far ran down to the bottom of the stairs.

"Wow… This is amazing, guys!" Pit happily complimented the anthropomorphic duo, looking in awe and wonder at the strange beings they brought along. "What are they? Are they more fighters? I kinda wonder if they are fighters, because everyone's welcome here regardless if they're chosen by a Smash Ball or not."

"Doesn't really matter right now," Fox replied. "Anyway: Banjo, Kazooie, why are you here?"

"It isn't about the two of us," Banjo answered. "It's about Hat Kid and what she wants to tell you guys."

"So… do all of you think it's okay if we explain this over at my place?" Hat Kid asked. "It's a whole lot to take in, so I think you'll have to see it to believe it. And by it, I mean the ship… thing… he came in."

"...Can some of us get dressed at least?" Sonic asked. "We can't necessarily go out in our pajamas."

"Sure," the alien girl replied, adjusting her top hat. "But you guys will have to make it quick in… getting into your dresses." Sonic dashed away into his room, instantly making it back down the stairs less than a second later in his signature red shoes. Fox, Inkling, and Pit were the only ones to run back upstairs to change into their regular clothes.

"Alright, so… what are your names, kids?" Ridley asked.

"Hat Kid," the alien girl cheerfully replied. "This creature I rescued calls himself Alchemo."

"Hey there," Alchemo greeted, shyly waving his hand at the new strangers he was standing in front of. "...You wouldn't happen to be Skylanders, would you?"

"Skylanders…?" Bowser asked, wondering where that name came from. "What are those…?"

"I… don't really know," Alchemo replied, scratching the back of his head. "That word just… kinda slipped out of my mouth." Donkey Kong began hollering out noises in complete realization on another word it could be related to. Mewtwo picked up on that, quickly understanding what the gorilla was trying to say in his animalistic language.

"Donkey Kong's trying to tell us that he might have heard that word before, but only when they confronted the Bowser Jr. Primary," Mewtwo pointed out. "Skylands… Skylanders… it all makes sense now."

"Oh wait, we remember now!" Kazooie cawed in sudden recollection. "Joker, Eleven, Byleth, Terry, the Piranha Plant: we've been hearing a lot about those Skylanders, though… it was only for brief passing…" Pit, Fox, and Clementine all ran downstairs, having been fully dressed in their own clothing.

"Alright, we're ready to go," Fox McCloud spoke up. "Lead the way, Hat Kid." The alien girl ran past the door, with the ten Smashers and Alchemo following behind her into the early dawn sky.

"Is that all of you?" Alchemo asked. "All ten of you living in that big castle?"

"At the moment," Pit responded. "There are far more of us, but everyone's either living in the city just a mile across or in their own realms."

"Huh. Neat," the young cadet noted.

"Hey, Hat Kid! Wait up! You don't know the way back to your ship!" Kazooie called out to the alien girl, who was several feet ahead of them in the forest.


With the black moon appearing just as its pale-colored binary twin disappeared over to the land opposite of it, the fighters traveled on foot to the Legacy within the light of the rising sun bringing forth an early dawn. The ten Smashers and the two kids got to a certain location hidden below the Legacy, which was near the backside of the ship. Hat Kid pulled out her megaphone again and yelled into it, irritating the teammates around her.

"Hey!" Hat Kid shouted, hurting the eardrums of her comrades. "If there are any guys up there, please lower the gates! We'd like to get to the dimension-traveling machine so we can get back to my ship!" Fox McCloud snatched the megaphone from the alien child as a way of telling her to shut up.

"You don't have to do that," Fox told Hat Kid. "We're not protestors. They can see us. All we have to do is ask and they'll let us in. It's okay! She's with us."

"Yeah, it's alright!" Sonic called out. "We're just here to head out to another world." The drawbridge to the Legacy's deck lowered, letting the whole group enter the large ship without much trouble. After a couple minutes of taking the elevators to transport them to a special part of the ship, the fighters got back to the transporter.

"So… how does this work?" Hat Kid asked. "How do we all get back to my ship?"

"Oh, that part is easy," Sonic replied. "There's a special doohickey powering the whole thing, and it's connected to a special ring from my world. With something as simple as say… your ship… these same kinds of rings will track down the world you desire and take you there, just the way you imagined it. Because they're basically powered by imagination…"

"Oh… that simple, right?" Hat Kid asked, climbing onto one of the platforms on the transporter. "So if I say something like my ship, it'll take me back?" Just as the alien girl finished, the transporter activated, its lights and platforms glowing bright beneath her. Hat Kid glanced back up at the companions she was inviting, disappearing in a flash of white.

"Everybody know where to go?" Kazooie asked. The fighters nodded, with Alchemo completely confused. Sonic approached the skinny creature, placing his hand on the back.

"Hey, don't worry," Sonic told the young cadet. "This transporter's active for about a minute, so you better step in fast." The blue hedgehog patted Alchemo's back, giving the newcomer the confidence to enter into one of the platforms and transport himself.

"Whelp, be meeting with the rest of you soon," Bowser growled, heading over to yet another platform. Sonic, Donkey Kong, Pit, and Kirby stepped into their own portions of the transporter, disappearing as well. Banjo & Kazooie, Clementine, Ridley, Fox, and Mewtwo followed behind shortly after. Once everyone seemed to vanish in the active transporter, the machine itself powered off for now, having just spent the same time it takes for Sonic's rings to remain active.

Hat Kid reappeared back in the living room on her ship, shaking her head of the trip she went through to get back from Arcus to here. She got back up on her feet, feeling the engine still running beneath her. Alchemo appeared in a flash of light behind her, and so did Bowser, Banjo and Kazooie, Fox, Pit, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Inkling, Kirby, Ridley, and Mewtwo. Everyone except the alien girl, Banjo, and Kazooie, were looking at how spacious and comfortable the place was.

"Wow!" Pit proclaimed. "Would you look at this place? It's got everything!" The angel ran over to the TV, which was currently playing the title screen of a game centered around a dog.

"This kid's got so many games to pass the time!" Pit exclaimed, holding a bunch of game cartridges in his hands. "Oh! What's this?" The curious winged boy entered through the glowing tunnel.

"That's the tunnel to my bedroom," Hat Kid acknowledged, following the angel into her bedroom.

"You've got a computer with a drawing tablet AND a musical keyboard!?" Pit asked, gasping with happiness as he looked behind himself to find a pile of pillows. The angel jumped in with joy, practically swimming in it.

"This place is amazing!" Pit remarked, lying on top of the pile of pillows.

"Yep, it sure is," Hat Kid replied with a smile on her face. Mewtwo teleported himself into the bedroom, glancing at Pit with a serious stare.

"We're not supposed to be goofing around," Mewtwo telepathized. "You were going to show us something, right Hat Kid?"

"Yep," the alien girl replied. "It's located in the machine room. Follow me." As Hat Kid ran out, Pit got off the swimming pool of pillows with a sad look on his face as Mewtwo floated out of the room. Everyone eventually ended up in the machine room, in which Hat Kid would present to them the ship she rescued Alchemo in.

"So there I was, having a good night's sleep until suddenly BAM! That thing just bumped into my ship and forced me to wake up," Hat Kid explained, touching the bright yellow crystals surrounding the exterior of the sun-shaped glider. "The glass was broken by the time I brought Alchemo to Banjo & Kazooie, but still: I have no idea where that strange, horned kangaroo man came from."

"Wow… even I haven't seen anything like it," Fox replied, feeling the metallic plating covering the ship. "Alchemo, are you sure you don't remember arriving in this thing?"

"I'm truthfully honest," Alchemo answered. "I have no clear memory of what I'm doing here, or who any of you are."

"Name's Ridley, and these here are the rest of the confrères I've gotten to know for a while: Inkling, Kirby, Sonic, Fox, Donkey Kong, Pit, Mewtwo, and Bowser," Ridley introduced. "Good luck getting to know these guys, cuz I ain't repeating their names again."

"...Who exactly are Kaos, Eon, and Jevil?" Mewtwo asked the young cadet. Alchemo looked at the Pokémon, all confused and such.

"Oh! Oh! I know who Kaos is!" Pit called out before being interrupted by Bowser, who pushed away the angel with his meaty claws.

"Isn't he the brat that possessed my son under Galeem's orders?" Bowser clarified.

"Sounds like the exact same one," Sonic the Hedgehog added. "But I have no idea who Eon or Jevil are. Sounds like one of these names could be a major threat that we must stop at any cost…" A strange sound began to beep from the vehicle, with a red light flashing from the control panel. The Smashers and Alchemo all gathered around the beeping light, finding a button flashing crimson.

"...So, anybody wanna press it?" Kazooie asked.

"I'm not so sure about this," Fox McCloud objected. "What if this… sun thing self-destructs or something?"

"What? You're suddenly acting all defensive about this?" Ridley questioned, with Clementine chirping in her language with annoyance. "Puh-lease. I'll be the one to press the button. Just to prove that this sun spaceship isn't rigged."

"The Inkling could prove a point," Mewtwo translated, having just read her mind to tell the others what she meant. "After all, we have no idea how this mysterious aircraft functions, and I'll be the one to-"

"Screw it," Bowser growled, quickly pressing the blinking button with his claw. "I'm not one to waste any time." The beeping seemed to stop, and the other fighters all backed away once they saw the hull of the ship begin to glow almost instantly. Mewtwo and Pit quickly pulled up their shields in front of the Smashers, with the Pokémon using his telekinesis to create a barrier and the angel using his Guardian Orbitars.

"Bowser! Alchemo! Get over here!" Pit warned the two.

"What? Why?" Bowser asked. The sun-shaped aircraft rumbled as white noise began to ring from the cockpit, and the Koopa King backed away. Before they could warn the amnesiac cadet to back off, the glowing and rumbling stopped, and a holographic screen filled with static instantly appeared above the aircraft. The static was starting to fade away and establish a better connection with the transmitter, who seemed to be some pink-skinned gal with violet braided pigtails and a tall, steampunk pipe-shaped hat paired with a buttoned trench coat.

"Attention! All Skylanders!" the strange figure broadcasted. "This is a level thirteen-billion, super-red-alert distress call! This ain't another drill or prank call, I swear! This is a serious business that concerns our universe as we know it! Kaos and his minions are ravaging throughout the Skylands, tearing Rifts into our world and disrupting the connection to the portal network. And with the help of a strange new face never before seen anywhere in the universe, he has built a weapon capable of wielding the evil within the Darkness to his own intentions! But fear not, Skylander! You have been assigned to a new group we'd like to call… the SuperChargers. Basically, if you find some sort of macguffin item they call a Rift Engine, then you have found an alternate source of opening a Rift back to the Skylands! For those of y'all who've received the signal, I'll be using your vehicle to get you there, so sit tight!" The transmission ended, and everyone in Hat Kid's machine room was entirely befuddled.

"...What does that mean?" Alchemo asked, just as muddled as the strangers he was with. The vehicle began to shake again, with the lights in the machine room flickering on and off. Everyone in the room was starting to get worried about what's going to happen as the floor underneath them began to shake. A beeping alarm blared throughout Hat Kid's ship, giving the alien girl quite a scare. Soon enough, the sound of a fracture in space began to tear underneath the sun-shaped aircraft, growing wider to the point where the vehicle fell into the widening hole. The rift began to crack, with streams of fissures crumbling across the floor.

"What's going on!?" Hat Kid asked, crying out of fear the second the floor caved below her. The alien girl fell into a spiraling vortex of multiple colors, the likes of which she had never experienced before.

"Hat Kid!" Banjo called out, with the floor easily collapsing under his weight and causing him to fall. Kazooie tried to get the bear back onto the floor as fast as she could, but because Banjo was heavier than her the Breegull was unsuccessful. Alchemo quickly grabbed ahold of Kazooie's wings, trying to pull the duo up.

"Don't worry! I got you! I got- I didn't get you…" Alchemo exclaimed, his voice turning into self-disappointment as the rift grew bigger. Donkey Kong also fell in, and Bowser shortly followed. The Inkling, Sonic, Kirby, Fox, and Pit all dropped down into the rift. Ridley and Mewtwo were the only ones who didn't fall in thanks to their natural gifts of flight, but they dived into the rift to save the rest of their pals.

The rift opened up in another dimension, with the fighters and their two companions falling from the sky. The crew was trying their best not to panic, with Pit struggling to fly.

"C'mon, already!" Sonic called out to the angel. "Use your wings already!"

"I can't! Not without Lady Palutena's guidance!" Pit exclaimed, flapping his white-feathered wings as hard as he could. Ridley swooped in, snatching the angel's clothes before grabbing onto Alchemo. Hat Kid used her umbrella as a parachute, and Fox McCloud swam through the air to get into the vehicle that was falling alongside everyone. He tried starting up the vehicle, the engine inside it powering on as he tried maneuvering through the air to get a safe landing. Bowser and Donkey Kong crashed into the topmost branches of the trees below them, and Kirby quickly used the energy within him to create a Warp Star to slow his own descent onto the solid ground below them. Mewtwo used his telekinesis, trapping Sonic, Inkling, and Banjo & Kazooie in bubbles he generated around them.

Bowser crashed onto the forest floor in a pile of broken sticks and twigs, with Donkey Kong swinging through the vines as though nothing happened. Kirby landed next to the gorilla in a small explosion from his Warp Star, and Ridley descended onto the forest floor before dropping Alchemo and Pit. Mewtwo popped the bubbles containing Clementine, the bear-and-bird duo, and the blue hedgehog when they got close to the forest floor. To add insult to Bowser's unfortunate predicament, the vehicle Fox was piloting crash-landed with the front crystal submerged into the ground extremely close to the Koopa King's crotch.

"Sorry, Bowser!" Fox told the Smasher below him, crawling out of the cockpit and onto the ground. Hat Kid floated down onto the glass of the cockpit, her small weight just enough to tip the aircraft backward the second her feet touched it.

"Woah… where are we?" Sonic asked, looking around the new area he and the gang were stranded in. What they were standing in was a jungle filled with exotic trees, but there were too few to crowd the scenery. A village filled with straw huts was built in a clearing, with dozens of floating islands both big and small filling the sky. Alchemo looked at the place with a sign of familiarity.

"It's like I've been there before," Alchemo spoke, his voice becoming quieter than before. Bowser climbed off the pile of sticks, with small flames flaring out of his nostrils.

"What are you guys looking at?" Bowser asked in his usual angry tone. "Would it have killed you to lend a hand? Or two?"

"I was trying to help some of the other fighters before they hit the ground," Mewtwo responded with his telepathy. "At least be glad with your armor you can withstand a tank shell."

"Oh, so you're the most powerful Pokémon in existence, and yet you can't use your abilities to save my butt!" Bowser growled, stomping towards Mewtwo with a boiling fit of rage. Donkey Kong got in front of the Koopa King, communicating to him in his monkey language.

"At least I'm not one who spends most of his days eating bananas and sleeping in trees," Bowser replied. "Do you know how much radiation you can get from eating all of those?"

"Let's not forget the fact that you're the one who stranded us all here in the first place," Ridley snapped, pointing at Bowser. "I don't know about you guys, but I'm going back to Arcus." The Space Pirate pulled out his white pellet, squeezing it twice. However, nothing happened as a result. Ridley squeezed the pellet again in confusion.

"What the-!? This usually works…" Ridley objected.

"Hey, wait a minute!" Hat Kid asked, jumping off the sun-shaped aircraft. "Didn't that lady sending the distress signal say that the portal system network was cut off?" The fighters stared at the alien girl once she questioned that topic.

"I think she's right," Fox replied. "Regardless of who started it and who saved who, we can't even get back to the rest of our pals at the moment. Whatever's cut off this world from the rest of this universe has severely affected these pellets, therefore we're stranded here until we either fix the portal network or use an alternate source of transportation."

"An alternate source of transportation, huh?" Sonic asked. "Maybe we should head over to that village and see what we can find." Clementine chirped happily in her Inkling language, ready to head on over there with her trusty Splattershot.

"Poyo poyo poyo," Kirby pointed out, aware that no one in this group knows about this place.

"I think the pink puffball has a point," Mewtwo added. "Let's stop pointing fingers at each other and try to figure out what's going on."

"As well as try to help me recover my memories," Alchemo replied.

"I don't know about you guys, but Kazooie and I are raring to go," Banjo mentioned, stretching his arms.

"Alright, fine," Bowser huffed, crossing his meaty arms in front of his chest. "But I'm not one to waste any time here. Let's just fix whatever's bugging our pellets and get out of this place. Junior and the Koopalings might get worried sick that I'm not being a good dad and whatnot." The Koopa King marched on ahead towards the village, with his companions following behind. Alchemo and Hat Kid held onto Pit's hands, ready to face whatever challenges come their way in this strange new world.

The fighters walked into the streets of the village, looking around the place and finding out there was no one outside as the fog began to set in. The windows seemed to be barricaded from the inside with planks of wood, giving the Smashers, Hat Kid, and Alchemo a sense of fear… or at the very least suspicion. Mewtwo tapped into his psychic abilities, learning that whoever's living there is very likely locked in their own homes.

"There are people living here," Mewtwo telepathized. "I'm beginning to get a feeling of dread looming over this island."

"Like there's something, or someone, keeping these villagers in their houses," Kazooie cooed. The fighters continued walking through the empty cobblestone streets, keeping their guards up throughout the duration of the first minute of their stay. Kirby began to hear muffled sounds coming towards their direction, and the pink puffball was easily frightened. He hid behind Alchemo, and the fighters readied their weapons as the gagged voices came closer towards them. They saw the silhouette of what appeared to be a strange blob gurgling with frightened sounds, but as it got closer they only saw a small, light-brown badger-like creature crawling towards them with his body submerged in a ball of lattice. His head was the only thing poking out, and his muzzle was gagged by a wide ribbon of web.

"Wait, guys," Alchemo told the Smashers and Hat Kid while walking towards the captive Villager. "Maybe he needs our help."

"Be careful that he doesn't bite you," Fox warned, keeping the aim of his blaster at the creature. Alchemo touched the web blob, feeling how sticky it was. Without thinking, the young cadet pulled out a vial filled with green liquid from his back. He didn't even know that he got the right one and yet he popped off the cork with his mouth and splashed the liquid over the netting, dissolving it and freeing the villager. He squirmed out of the net and brushed the dust off his loose clothing.

"Thank you so much, Skylander! Thank you so much!" the villager spoke in a voice that seemed to be filled with anxiousness and anxiety. "But now you and your friends have to leave this place. You need to get out!"

"Wait, what?" Hat Kid asked. "But we just got here."

"Listen, listen! You don't understand," the mammary creature went on. "This is a fight you cannot win."

"Is it something having to do with the machine destroying your world?" Pit asked.

"Worse!" the villager screamed, grasping the fur on his head as though he was going to tear it out. "It's the monster who helped create the machine!"

"Who? Kaos?" Sonic asked. The resident shook his head, his fear set on something else lurking in his village.

"No," the villager went on. "Even Kaos doesn't understand the true motives behind this guy. While that contraption is sapping the Skylands of its magic elsewhere, this strange little devil is spreading destruction beyond our control. He's powerful and crafty, a complete lunatic who forces others to play his games of death! He's already killed most of the Skylanders, and he speaks of pure insanity. Please! You have to leave!"

"But… we can't leave," Ridley replied. "The portal network's busted, remember?"

"Then hide! Hide like your life depends on it because it surely does!" the mammal cried in fear, tugging on Alchemo's dark blue pants. The villager stopped moving in fear, his breath holding still as he heard the sound of jingling bells slowly approaching behind him.

"... He's here…" the inhabitant whispered. "Quick! Hide! He's coming for us!" The badger-like dweller ran past the Smashers, running into the fog to never be seen again.

"Huh. Wonder if that guy's the lunatic," Bowser sneered. The Inkling girl heard the jingling bells ring closer, hearing soft footsteps in front of them. She chirped in her language, trying to warn her friends about the incoming stranger.

"Who are you calling a clown?! You're a clown!" Bowser roared, storming over to Clementine.

"She wasn't referring to you, Bowser," Mewtwo telepathized, appearing between the Koopa King and the Inkling. "She's trying to warn us about an actual clown."

"Yeah, right," Bowser scoffed. "Like I'm ever gonna fall for that one-" Donkey Kong pushed the Koopa King's body around using his strong front limbs, forcing Bowser to look in the same direction everyone else was. A pair of glowing-yellow eyes pierced through the thick fog, followed by soft laughter coming from the threatening presence of the stranger. As he walked closer to the fighters, they could see his appearance clearly.

The creature was standing at around Sonic's height, wearing a pair of black trousers that reached above his blueish-gray ankles and black slippers with lime-green toe boxes. He was dressed in a purple shirt marked with two darkened stripes that stretched from his shoulders to the bottom of the shirt, with a line filled with black diamond shapes running down his front and a tail shaped like the version of the capital letter J with the horizontal line above the end of the curve. A black cape was wrapped over his shoulders underneath a collar ruff with petal-shaped pieces of lime-green and yellow, with black, poofy sleeves and purple mittens. What seemed to be strangest of all was that the creature had a round, blueish-gray face with elvish ears and clown-like eyes colored completely black, as well as a smiling mouth filled with sharpened, yellow teeth. The last thing to top off what the stranger was sporting was a harlequin jester hat that was purple on his right and black on his left, with the two ends bearing golden bells.

"Why hello there, visitors," the imp spoke as he approached the interlopers who arrived here. "I seemed to have taken a notice that you're not exactly new, new around here, aren't you?"

"Hey! Beat it, clown!" Bowser snarled. "What do you think this is? Some kind of circus?"

"Oh, I'd like to wish, wish! Uee hee hee! And such a strong, fearsome temper coming from a beast of your size as well," the jester proclaimed like he was in a Shakespearian play. "The fact that you're addressing me as though I'd like to join your menagerie by any means is of my utmost uncertainty to do otherwise."

"...That voice… and that smile too," Alchemo addressed, starting to feel a sense of insight with the clown standing in front of the group. The joker heard the young cadet speak as though he knew him, and his row of yellow teeth stretched across his face.

"Well now, well now. If it isn't a surprise," the merryman giggled, literally springing his head with a coil-like neck forward until his face was inches away from the young Skylander. "Why, it's the trainee in front of my eyes! Oh, how right was I when you would come back with more to play with, play with. Such marvelous fun we're going to have together!" Hat Kid and Sonic stepped in front of the jester, both giving the clown a look that forced him to draw back his head onto his body. The stranger floated a few feet into the air, his tail gently wiggling near his legs as he seemed to relax while he was levitating.

"We're not here to have any fun with you," Fox McCloud declared, pointing his blaster at the hovering jester. "State your business around these parts."

"Why, of course!" the jester went on, rolling over himself as he continued defying gravity and swirling around like a merperson. "It would be rude to leave you hanging with the simplest of unanswered questions, questions. Some name me the Madman, others say I'm the Devil, but you can call me… Jevil."

"Jevil, right?" Mewtwo asked telepathically. "I can read through the minds of anyone, and all I'm getting from you is… a tainted cloud of madness in a mind that cannot be revealed to those who can see through them."

"Uee hee hee! And you're aware of how insignificant you are compared to what I have seen," Jevil laughed with lunacy in his voice, his mitten tracing across the rim of his bottom lip. "Ah, you don't know the possibilities you can set your mind to, even with all the power of your world. Don't you see that everything is meaningless?! That the most dire of punishments are non-existent?! That all of you are being played by minds greater than yourself?!"

"Okay, now that sounds like someone who should be locked up in a mental asylum. You're crazy!" Sonic objected in disbelief.

"No… you're the ones who are crazy," Jevil proclaimed. "You arrived from a game you all share where you can bask in the freedom to fight! How banal! How trite! How can I make you feel more comfortable…? Hm…" The Smashers backed away from the creepy jester, aware that whatever he has planned is in no way good.

"I've got an idea," Jevil continued. "We'll play a harmless numbers game. Normally, when anyone else wants to attend, they must abide by the rules that they lose when their HP drops to zero. But from the world where most of you come from, the rules behave far more differently than normal. So, let's mix them up a bit, bit. When I knock you off the screen during your last stock, I win, win! Lives are on the line, so let's begin." The two yellow lights flashed in the jester's black eyes as his long purple tongue stuck out while he was laughing maniacally. He generated a white orb from his chest and tossed it into the air with great force. The fighters jumped back in fear as the orb landed on the ground and took shape, transforming itself into a larger version of the exact same scythe embedded in Alchemo's forehead.

"Kids, stay behind us," Banjo told Hat Kid and Alchemo. "It's all of us against one of him. How hard can he be?" When the Smashers pulled up their fists and drew out their weapons/powers, Jevil grabbed the weapon he tossed and danced with it elegantly. His mittened hands gripped tight onto the striped handle, showing off his vicious grin of pointed yellow teeth.

"Uee hee hee! A circus freak against a circus of freaks," Jevil giggled as the ten Smashers marched towards him. "Now, now! Let the games begin!" The jester flew high into the air, glaring down at the fighters with yellow lights flashing in his eyes once more. Jevil dived straight down to the Smashers, using a powerful swing to cut through. Banjo & Kazooie activated the Wonderwing move, ramming straight into the jester's side. Jevil quickly grabbed onto the Breegull and pulled her out of the backpack, throwing her straight at a small stack of barrels where Alchemo and Hat Kid were about to hide in. The jester tossed the anthropomorphic bear into the air, surrounding him with spades that were about to penetrate him before Sonic jumped high into the air and grabbed Banjo.

Sonic zipped towards Kazooie, grabbing the Breegull and putting her in Banjo's backpack. White diamonds were targeting the hedgehog as he curled up into a ball and charged straight for the insane jester. Jevil teleported onto the ground, leaning forward and keeping his knees apart as he pushed against the charged spindash.

"It's so exciting… I can't take it!" Jevil laughed, tossing the blue hedgehog straight at Banjo and Kazooie like he was a larger-than-normal, electrical baseball. Jevil began to hear the heavy footsteps of Bowser charging straight at him with a flaming mouth. The jester began teleporting in random directions, spitting out volleys of five spade bullets. The Koopa King tucked himself into his shell and plowed through the spades, flying straight at the clown.

"A beauty is joying in my heart!" Jevil laughed, trying to prevent himself from getting crushed as Bowser grabbed him by his springy neck and slammed him into the ground. Jevil stuck out his hand and reached out to the air, spawning a quartet of club shapes that spat out bullets continuously behind the Koopa King.

Bowser was getting hit from behind his shell like it was a barrage of arrows, knocking him off the jester. Jevil quickly got up and kicked Bowser straight at a nearby stone building. The Inkling girl transformed into her squid form and jumped on top of Jevil's shoulders, bashing his head with her Splattershot.

"Feisty, feisty little one, aren't you?" Jevil asked, grabbing Clementine by her arm and suplexing her. Once Jevil was on ground level, Fox rushed in with a flash of blue, tackling the jester with rapid kicks. The Star Fox mercenary quickly pulled up his arms in front of his face as Jevil winded up for a punch, but the punch was so strong he was tumbling on the ground. The jester pointed his mittened hand at Fox, spawning bombs packed with rouletting hearts. The anthropomorphic fox pulled out his reflector so he could reflect the hearts, and Clementine threw a Splat Bomb right at the jester. As though Jevil foresaw this predicament, he quickly teleported behind the Inkling and swung his scythe like a baseball bat, knocking Clementine into the air until she landed next to Bowser.

"Clementine!" Fox called out, dropping his defenses and letting himself get hit by an explosion of orange ink. Jevil used this chance to throw Fox into the air and kick him into the ground. The jester heard something tear through his black cape, and he looked down on the ground to see Pit firing arrows of light at him. Jevil soared through the air and danced around the light arrows, pulling out his scythe and attempting to slash at the angel.

"Nice try!" Pit snapped, splitting his bow into two blades and attacking Jevil's scythe. "You're nothing compared to the Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature combined into one!"

"Oh, you're so right, right," Jevil giggled, slamming his scythe into the ground and Pit dodged out of the way. "I am far more than you could ever predict." Jevil raised his hands, spawning four smaller copies of his scythe around the angel. Before the scythes could chop off Pit's head, Kirby, Hat Kid, and Alchemo pushed the angel out of danger. The pink puffball charged straight at Jevil, rapidly kicking the jester in the face. The impish clown grabbed Kirby's squishy body, ready to impale the pink demon with the swinging mini-scythes. Ridley quickly rushed in and grabbed Jevil's head with his claws, plowing the jester through the ground into the stone wall of one of the huts. The badger-like villagers hiding in the house ran out screaming as it collapsed, forcing Jevil to emerge from the ground and ride on Ridley's neck. The Space Pirate was being ridden like a bull, screeching as he flew high into the air with the jester on his back.

"Wee! I never had this much fun, fun!" Jevil laughed, jumping off Ridley and spawning a bunch of diamonds above him. The creature slammed his hand down, by which the diamonds knocked Ridley straight down. Mewtwo used his telekinesis from the ground, flinging Jevil onto the ground so he could personally attack the jester himself. Jevil laughed as he generated a bunch of clubs to fly straight at Mewtwo. The Pokémon used Confusion, reflecting the clubs back at Jevil.

"Using my own moves to attack me?" Jevil asked, shielding himself from the incoming club shapes by spinning his scythe like a windmill. "Oh, what a fan I be!" Mewtwo didn't realize Jevil literally meant he was a fan until he saw the jester spin his scythe faster and faster. The Pokémon tried to use his telekinesis to stabilize himself midair as he was blown off the ground, but Jevil quickly teleported right behind him and kicked him into another untouched straw hut.

Donkey Kong jumped high into the air and slammed Jevil into the ground. Before the gorilla was about to bash his brains into the road with his strong fists, the jester rolled backwards and spawned multiple hearts behind Donkey Kong.

"My hearts go out to all you sinners!" Jevil exclaimed, slamming the white hearts into the gorilla and weakening him to the point where the jester could grab his neck and suplex him at the stone building with Bowser and Inkling. Jevil watched as Mewtwo got back up in the midst of the small villagers running past him in fear as they escaped their desolated house, and the Pokémon set his sights on the jester with glowing-white eyes as he used his telekinesis to gather up the stone rubble from the house.

Mewtwo thrusted his arms forward, throwing the stones at the jester as his eyes reverted to their normal purplish hue. Jevil began teleporting and dancing around the flying stones as he swung his scythe to cut through the larger stones while using a barrage of spades to destroy the smaller ones. Sonic slammed himself into the jester at top speed, rapidly jabbing at Jevil's chest. The monster clown laughed as he grabbed the blue hedgehog's arms, spinning around like a tornado and flinging him straight through the entrance into the stone building.

"You leave our friends alone!" Hat Kid called out, pointing her umbrella at the maniacal jester.

"I don't know who you are, but you're not welcome here!" Alchemo proclaimed, tossing multiple explosive potions at the jester and missing entirely. Jevil shook his head and flew straight at the two kids. Mewtwo teleported next to Jevil and pushed him aside.

"Get the other fighters!" Mewtwo telepathized, holding the handles of Jevil's scythe and pinning the jester down. "We need to take this clown down!"

"Let's go!" Hat Kid told Alchemo, already running off to get Fox McCloud and getting him back up to run over to his pals at the stone building. Alchemo pulled Banjo back onto his feet, and Hat Kid ran over to brush off the diamonds pinning Ridley. Pit already took Mewtwo's order, and he picked up a bruised Kirby while avoiding all the spades and clubs flying across the village. Hat Kid and Alchemo helped Ridley, Fox, Pit, Banjo & Kazooie, and Kirby reunite with Bowser, Clementine, and Donkey Kong at the cobblestone stairs.

"Any idea where Sonic is?" Fox asked, worried about the safety of the blue hedgehog.

"Hey, guys!" Sonic called out, his head poking out from the inside of the structure as he waved out to them. "You have to come and see this!" While both the Pokémon and the jester were fighting each other 1-on-1, Mewtwo spotted the fighters disappearing into the stone structure. Before Jevil struck him with a deadly blow, the Pokémon teleported to the stairway and flew into the building with the other teammate.

"Do you guys see this? It looks like they're hoarding so much gold here," Sonic pointed out. In front of the Smashers seemed to be a pile of gold and priceless treasures, glimmering bright in the darkness of the building.

"Perhaps as a way to defend their economy," Fox replied.

"But what are those on top of the gold?" Sonic asked with a smuggish grin on his face pointing to the top of the pile. Fox, Kirby, Pit, Mewtwo, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Banjo & Kazooie, Ridley, Clementine, Hat Kid, and Alchemo all looked at the top of the gold pile to see ten strange vehicle engines, each one glowing with a different color. One was colored in a cyan aura with wisps of clouds swirling from it, one had a brown hue with tiny rocks orbiting it, another bore a faint red glow with some fire. The fourth engine was blooming with small leaves in its green hue, and another appeared yellow with a bright saturation. There was one engine with a purple aura and glittering dust, and another that seemed to have a dark-indigo aura with blackened mist and stars. One of the golden motors was covered in an orange tincture with small gears, another was embedded with a gray aura with bones, and yet another was a sapphire blue with water swirling around it.

"Do you think these could help us clobber that Jevil guy?" Bowser asked. The stone at the entrance crumbled as the jester slashed through the door frame in one clean slice, his yellow pupils and teeth piercing through the darkness.

"No time to think!" Kazooie squawked, hiding in Banjo's backpack. "Mewtwo! Get the strange relics!" The legendary Pokémon used his telekinesis to lift all ten engines from the top of the gold pile and lowered them down to the fighters.

"Now I guess it's time for me to win the game, game!" Jevil laughed incomprehensibly, the blade of his scythe dragging across the floor as the golden bells at the tip of the blade jingled. "Time for this charade to end, boisengirls!" Hat Kid and Alchemo backed up to the pile while the Smashers all grabbed onto the different engines without thinking of what was about to happen next.

A burst of newfound energy ran through their bodies, lifting each of the fighters into the air. Jevil stopped dead in his tracks as he, Alchemo, and Hat Kid watched the Smashers be completely surrounded by a new type of energy not a part of their Smash Balls.

"No element detected," a robotic, feminine voice sounded in unison from the engines as the fighters were surrounded by the elements of the motor they each touched. "Prepare for reassignment. Donkey Kong - designation: Life Element. Bowser - designation: Fire Element. Banjo & Kazooie - designation: Earth Element. Kirby - designation: Magic Element. Ridley - designation: Undead Element. Sonic the Hedgehog - designation: Air Element. Inkling - designation: Water Element. Fox McCloud - designation: Tech Element. Pit - designation: Light Element. Mewtwo - designation: Dark Element. You have been chosen. Rift Engine engaged. Commence SuperCharging."

Each fighter was consumed by a glowing orb of the singular element assigned to them: Donkey Kong in glowing plants, Bowser in fire, Banjo and Kazooie in rocks, Kirby in an orb of colorful violet energy, Ridley in a gray mist with humanoid bones, Sonic in a thick orb of wind and thundering clouds, Clementine in swirling water, Fox in gears and cogs mixed with nuts and bolts, Pit in highly saturated light, and Mewtwo in a shadowy ball of black mist. In those orbs, they all donned new looks.

Donkey Kong felt the plants and vines crawl over his body, creating a yellow suit with orange-and-white markings over his body, keeping his head, hands and feet, and iconic tie untouched. The plants then created a barrel and placed it in his strong arms. Donkey Kong felt himself become one with the plants, the trees, and the life living within the soil itself.

Bowser felt the fire around him heat up his iron-tough body, with the flames creating a spiked chestplate, kneecaps, and shoulder pads that donned the look of his spiky shell. A large mallet generated in his hands, with the handle long enough to fit both of his meaty claws and the head replicating the design of the spiny shell in a red hue. Bowser felt a burning passion to take down his enemies blaze inside of him like an ancient inferno.

Banjo and Kazooie were coughing as the rocks and sand swirled around their face, clothing the bear and bird in a brand new look. Banjo was donned with a sleeveless loose shirt colored a darker shade of brown than his fur, and his pants transformed into baggy breeches. A layer of sashes were both wrapped around his waist and his lower legs, and golden brass knuckles marked with Jiggies on top spawned in his fists. Kazooie transformed too, bearing a crystal helmet that looked like a mohawk and stone daggers dangling from her wings.

Kirby felt the energy of the magic around him, and he saw a glowing ball of it floating straight towards him. The pink puffball inhaled the magic, donning a golden crown with crystal spikes and a blue jewel in the center, with a veil of glittering silk the same color as his blue eyes. White gloves with hearts embedded into their design covered his stubby hands, and he was wielding a whip with five barbed ends, each one containing a different element from Popstar: Sizzle, Blizzard, Zap, Splash, and Bluster.

Ridley felt the rotting hands within the gray mist cloak his body, dressing him up in a helmet and chestplate made entirely out of bones. The helmet he wore was reminiscent of the ancient Chozo race, and shoulder pads made out of the hand of one of the avian creatures. Ridley wore a pair of gloves with elongated steel claws, also mimicking the look and feel of the Chozo that raised Samus.

Sonic looked around himself to see the wind blow around him in all directions, and he quickly pulled his hand up in self-defense from a lightning bolt about to strike him. The blue hedgehog watched as his red shoes over his white socks were redesigned into Air Boots, down to the small jets located at the bottom of each sole. The air blew around Sonic as he was wearing dark blue shorts, a white t-shirt, and a poofy, cropped, short-sleeved light-blue blazer with a lightning bolt marked on the back. He felt himself become as free as the wind he was always a part of, except the storm was about to be released through his overhauled sneakers.

Clementine felt like she was about to drown and dissolve in water she didn't know was not littered with toxic chemicals, until she looked at herself and saw she didn't melt. Over-ear headphones with a white skeleton and neon pink cushions covered her pointy ears, with both metal earcups marked with squids surrounded by empty circles that pumped with an EDM beat. Sporty sunglasses popped onto her face, and her shirt was given a color inversion with lights often seen at rave parties flashing on and off to the electronic beat playing in her headphones. A pair of vinyl discs spawned on opposite sides of her ink tank, by which she detached them to find they hovered in midair by spinning while coated in orange ink.

Fox McCloud felt himself stripped of his clothes, only for the cogs and gears surrounding his body to completely dress him up in a skintight, futuristic bodysuit that was completely white with green markings to make it look more robotic and artificial. Black, sci-fi combat gloves with armored metallic paddings coated his hands, and he retained his Star Fox jacket and father's red scarf. His visor received an overhaul design, turning into an advanced bone conduction headset paired with an emerald-green floating eyepiece. His blasters remained the same, just like his jacket and scarf.

Pit kept his wings spread open as he felt the light consume his body. A new kind of fabric and metal plating wrapped around his old tunic, and the olive leaves in the angel's hair generated a light that formed a literal halo above his head. The armor was light enough to give him an upgrade to his initial design, giving him golden feathers on the outside of his sandals and adding a few additional belts to bind the polished shoulder pads to the upper joints of his arms. His tunic was laced with noticeably more gold markings than before, but the ratio of the white in the tunic was still greater. Fingerless, golden gauntlets with the glowing-cyan symbol of Palutena's Army on the back of his hands generated, and the bow Pit uses stayed relatively the same (with the exception of a more heavenly glow).

Under the influence of the darkness around him, Mewtwo was wearing a duplicate of the armor he wore when he was working for Team Rocket. The armor itself had the same looks, but the Pokémon lacked the helmet entirely and the armor itself appeared in a much darker hue. A scythe made out of purely concentrated darkness generated beside him, its handle appearing gnarled and gray and the blade having curved to look like a crescent moon, down to the pale-blue glow and crater markings.

The orbs generated by the engines vanished, landing in front of Alchemo and the Hat Kid. Jevil still kept that Chesire smile of his, but he used it to portray the expression of curiosity as he saw the Smashers in brand new outfits.

"I think this place might be starting to grow on us," Fox McCloud pointed out, feeling the comfortable new design. Sonic shuffled in place, not necessarily knowing how to use his new shoes as the jets underneath his soles activated, launching himself several feet into the air as a storm cloud emerged from a roundhouse kick he performed. As the storm cloud hit the jester and electrocuted him, the blue hedgehog quickly steadied his balance and spun around Jevil like a tornado.

The clown spawned a barrage of diamonds to throw at the now-dizzy speedster, but Kirby quickly lashed his whip out. The barbed ends wrapped around Jevil's leg, giving Kirby the chance to throw Jevil against the stone floor with great force. Jevil quickly rolled to the side as Bowser's new hammer was about to flatten his face into the ground. Banjo slammed his feet into the ground, creating a rocky pillar that launched an unsuspecting Jevil into the air with great force. As the jester kept defying gravity, Ridley flew straight and slashed with his extended steel claws. Jevil was knocked into the ground from the impact of the slashing, pulling out his scythe once Mewtwo warped right in front of him. The jester blocked the incoming attack from the Pokémon's new scythe, but Fox rushed in and began using his blasters.

They fired faster than usual, and they were beginning to burn some holes into Jevil's clothes. As the jester teleported himself into the air and flung out some hearts, Clementine threw her vinyl discs like ink-coated frisbees, which had some sort of boomerang effect as they circled back to the Inkling's hands. Sonic shook off his dizziness and charged straight at Jevil in the air with a homing attack.

When the blue hedgehog landed on the ground, Donkey Kong used his spiky head for a footstool, ramming Jevil into the ground with a powerful force from his barrel. Before the jester touched the ground, Pit knocked him forward with us Upperdash Arm. Jevil was sent flying out of the stone building, his scythe disappearing into thin air as he landed several feet away from the bottom of the stairs. The Smashers ran down the stairs, pointing their weapons at the elf-eared jester. Jevil's mouth began to bleed as he spat out a tooth dislodged from the back of his mouth.

"An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth," Jevil laughed, still retaining his pointed grin even with some red stains on it. "Looks like you newcomers won the game. But the next round won't be so pleasant. You still have two more phases to complete before I leave elsewhere, and each one will be far more difficult than the last as I level up and earn more power." The jester got back up onto his feet, wiping the blood from his mouth.

"You have quite the formidable magic, magic," Jevil continued. "And you're not even from this world too. I guess we are quite similar, me and you. Can you complete the game? Can you finish the task? See the secrets you must dismask? 'Cause if so… I'll be the one who hunts you down. Until we meet again, non-Skylanders!" The jester laughed as he shot himself straight into the air to destinations unknown, with the fog over the village clearing up.

"That's right!" Ridley snarled. "You better run from us! Now that we've got new outfits and weapons to take you down!" Hat Kid and Alchemo emerged from the building, the both of them running down to the Smashers as the badger creatures hiding in the houses were slowly coming out of hiding.

"The… The Skylanders saved us!" one of the dwellers proclaimed.

"They saved us from the likes of that horrifying clown!" another called out with the happiness of freedom. The gratitudes of salvation slowly rose among the villagers in a commotion of joy. Soon enough, the Mabu villagers heard the sound of rumbling engines from behind them.

"Everyone, stand clear!" yet another villager proclaimed. "The SuperChargers are coming this way!" Two vehicles were riding in towards the fighters, with one supposedly a wide motorcycle with molten lava for wheels and another constructed like a buggy but with a panther skull and a roof made out of ribs.

"Um… wasn't that the Jevil guy we were trying to hunt down that just… flew away?" the creature riding the molten motorcycle asked as he got off. The creature looked like he was made entirely out of molten lava, with a helmet and a lance made out of magma on his right "hand."

"Sure looked like it," a pink-skinned vampireress replied, jumping out of her buggy. "But he wasn't running from us. He would have known we would be here, but how would that explain the multicolored light we just… saw..." The vampireress was wearing an animal skull for a helmet, with a short-skirted dress and armor around her arms and chest made entirely out of bones. She had a braided ponytail, as well as roller blades that were supposedly merged with the lower legs.

"Maybe we should ask these guys," the lava creature replied, pointing his lance weapon at the Smashers. "Somethin' about them doesn't fit…"

"They're the Skylanders who saved our village from that awful Jevil!" one of the Mabu inhabitants proclaimed.

"Skylanders, huh?" the vampireress questioned, scratching her head. "They sure don't look like any other Skylander I've ever seen." Donkey Kong gibbered in confusion, looking at Bowser as though he knew the answer to his question.

"Now how would I know what a Skylander is?" Bowser asked. "We've only been here for a couple minutes, and yet I still don't even know what that word means!"

"They're talking about us," Mewtwo answered with telepathy. "To these locals, WE'RE the Skylanders."

"I think I heard Lady Palutena talk about them once," Pit pointed out. "But it's been so long I don't remember when…" Hat Kid ran down the stairs to greet the strange new creatures, amazed by how they looked.

"Woah! A human!? What's a human doing here!?" the magma creature exclaimed, jumping upon the sight of the alien girl running towards them.

"Relax, Eruptor," the vampireress reassured. "She's not dangerous. She just could be another Portal Master summoned here to help us."

"Uh… wrong and wrong," Hat Kid answered. "I'm actually neither a human nor a Portal Master, whatever those are. I'm Hat Kid, by the way."

"Hat Kid… Well, we're kinda used to literal naming. It's nothing new around here," Eruptor replied. Alchemo ran over to the alien child, snatching her off the ground.

"Don't you ever go off like that!" Alchemo spoke to her. "What if you get killed or something? Sorry about that…" The two Skylanders looked at the young cadet in feelings of relief that he was back.

"Oh, Alchemo! You're back!" the vampireress cried, rolling over to Alchemo and hugging him. "We thought Jevil killed you when he got the chance!"

"Oh, no. I just… lost my memory of the whole encounter and… you guys," Alchemo replied, much to the disappointment of the two veteran Skylanders.

"...You mean you don't remember your old pal Roller Brawl?" the vampireress asked. "Me and Pop Fizz used to train you alongside the new cadets, remember? It was months ago since you applied." Alchemo looked away, unable to say anything about the matter.

"Hi there," Sonic greeted from the stairs. "We were, uh… kinda responsible for this whole affair with that jester. In case you didn't know."

"Were you?" Roller Brawl asked. "How exactly did you beat him? No ordinary Skylander could even take him on, not even ten of us against one jester."

"Yeah, but here's the thing," Banjo replied. "We're not from around here. We're from another universe… well, we came here from the same universe. We've all come from separate worlds, but we all came here from a rift that sun-shaped aircraft generated. It's sitting in the island's forest right now."

"Oh, you mean the Sun Runner?" Roller Brawl asked.

"But how were you guys able to take down Jevil?" Eruptor asked. "We know none of you are part of the Skylander Academy since you said so yourself. And now we have to resort to these vehicles for transportation."

"Oh, that we can explain," Pit answered. "We've found a bunch of golden objects, and when we touched them, we found ourselves wearing these fancy new clothes."

"I'm kinda digging the makeover right now," Sonic replied, holding the sides of his blazer and looking down at his new outfit.

"Golden objects…" Roller Brawl replied. "Don't you mean the Rift Engines? We've heard this island has been holding those. You wouldn't happen to have gotten into contact with them…?" Sonic dashed inside the stone building, taking out the stacked golden engines that still held their elemental auras.

"Oh my God…" Roller Brawl spoke in surprise, skating over to the stairs and picking up her legs to climb up the stairs. "You found some. You actually found some! We've been looking for these ancient relics everywhere ever since Kaos disabled the portals with his new machine!"

"To think you guys would actually find those… this is amazing!" Eruptor added, having run up to Roller Brawl to see the new engines. "You have to come back to the academy! It's not much after the events that happened, but Buzz will give you the scoop on the top missions."

"Come along," Roller Brawl replied. "You guys are Skylanders now. Buzz will have a better way of explaining things, just like Eruptor said." Mewtwo used his telekinesis to lift the stacked Rift Engines off Sonic's hands.

"Don't get too comfortable around here, friends," Mewtwo telepathized. "This is still a new world, and they may not be friendly if we're not careful."

"I don't know about you, but I'm sure I can handle this place just fine," Sonic replied as the Smashers walked down the stairs, with Bowser picking up Hat Kid in his free hand. "After all, I can use these hover boots like a pro- woah, woah, woah!" As Sonic performed a triple backflip in the air in front of Roller Brawl and Eruptor, the jets on his shoes activated, so when he stopped, he was losing balance in midair. The blue hedgehog fell over on his back, so now he was hanging upside-down with his jet-boots still activated. He looked up at the two veteran Skylanders with an embarrassed grin on his face.

"Uh… a little help?" Sonic nervously asked.


Some time later, the Smashers, Alchemo, and Hat Kid all went with Eruptor and Roller Brawl to their base, which was an entire island where an academic school was rebuilding itself. Wooden boards were nailed to the holes on the blue roofs, and there were wooden stairs surrounding the place where Mabu workers were rebuilding the walls. An elderly Mabu with a short and wide body was showing the new Skylanders around the place. The mammary veteran was wearing an eyepatch cloak over his right eye, and he was walking with a cane due to the peg leg on his left crippling his movement. He took the Smashers to the main garage found in the academy, where multiple SuperChargers were resting in.

"The Skylanders are a group of the greatest heroes ever assembled; hand-picked to act as defenders of Skylands and to keep the balance between light and darkness," the elderly Mabu explained with the Hat Kid carrying one half of the number of Rift Engines while Alchemo carried the second. "For some unexplained, unfathomable reason, the Rift Engines have chosen you strange folk, over some of our other, more experienced Skylanders, to attend to our topmost priorities. Now I'm not one to object against some ancient whatchamacallit thingamajigs." Sliding across the hood of one of the vehicles towards the newcomers was the girl who sent the transmission, and her face was a whole lot clearer than before.

"Hiya, Skylanders!" the girl greeted, pulling out her hand to shake Banjo's paw. "Name's Mags. I'm the 'ventor in this establishment. Nice to meet y'all."

"Nice to meet you too," Banjo answered, letting go of Mags's hand. "My name's Banjo. The bird living in my backpack is Kazooie."

"We've got Bowser, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Fox, Mewtwo, Pit, Ridley, Inkling, and Kirby," Kazooie introduced. "Buzz told us a lot about you and how you invent vehicles for anyone chosen by a Rift Engine."

"And that I can!" Mags declared, walking over to Hat Kid and Alchemo to take the ten Rift Engines from them. "Lemme just grab 'em real quick…" As the pink-skinned inventor with the Southern American accent took the Rift Engines, she was surprised to find the alien girl with them.

"What the-?!" Mags asked in surprise, taking care not to drop the engines. "What's a human doing here? Never mind that. Just what're you good at, little girl?"

"I'm a bit of a pilot. Ooh! And a collector!" Hat Kid replied.

"A collector and a pilot, huh?" Mags asked. "Well, we certainly can use those around here. Alchemo. Show this girl to the ship where the Skylanders will be traveling around in."

"I would if I could, but… I've got amnesia. I don't really remember anything about this place," Alchemo replied.

"It's okay, Mags," the Mabu veteran reassured, patting her back. "He'll get his memories back eventually. Don't know when, but he'll get 'em back."

"Sure hope so, Buzz," Mags replied, walking off to the other side of the garage. "Nothin' that an anti-amnesia potion can't fix! Once I'm done with them Rift Engines, I'll be helpin' Pop Fizz whip one right up! Shouldn't take long..." Mags ran out of the garage, ready to work on something new with the Rift Engines.

"Anyways, the academy is a sitting duck for the likes of Jevil, the Doom Raiders, and who knows what," Buzz continued. "You can thank Kaos for bringing 'em all together into his army. The fact is: we need all the help we can get to take down that brat and his Doomstation, even with that little kid in the hat. Can we count on you strange folk or not?" The fighters all looked at each other, unsure of what to do here.

"Well, it is our duty to protect other universes from legitimate threats," Fox replied. "Yours sounds rather serious indeed."

"But I really don't feel like some of us are up to the task," Ridley added. "I had been infamous for countless genocides throughout my lifetime, ate Samus's parents, and I'm just overall a messed-up person who still smells the blood of the victims he forgot he slaughtered in his sleep. I'm obviously not the type that goes in the 'heroic alignment.'" Before the other Smashers could shut him up, Sonic quickly jumped up and clamped Ridley's mouth down, in the hopes that the alien dragon wouldn't get kicked out of the academy.

"What he means is there are some battles he doesn't really want to attend to," Sonic replied. "But he's fought alongside us, just like the rest of these guys. We've restored balance and whatnot, so… he's just trying to be a big meanie, like always. It's adorable, really. But in all seriousness, he's trying to repent for the lives he ended."

"But I guess we have no choice," Mewtwo telepathized. "We're stranded here until we get those portals fixed. And we will do whatever we can to ensure you that as Skylanders, we'll be up for the cause and saving your world."

"But I'm not up for the cause, let me tell you that," Bowser growled. "Outside of a few exceptions, I work for my own rules. So I don't think you're talking to the right people, no matter how many fancy clothes you give us." Buzz stroked his white beard, contemplating deeply about the subject matter.

"Well, as best as I can think, you guys got her through a Rift," Buzz noted. "And that Sun Runner conjured said Rift. So whatever Kaos is doing to the portal network affects not only the Skylands… but virtually and literally every one of them universes out there. Things are probably gonna get worse once that spoiled kid finishes us for good. And once he's done here… he might just move on to your realms, if that jester starts to help him catch on. We'll see if you belong in the heroic alignment by then, winged beast." That last sentence was targeted to Ridley.

"So… guess we have no choice, like Mewtwo said," Pit answered, with Clementine nodding in agreement.

"We're in!" Banjo cheered.

"Ugh, fine. We'll help," Bowser growled. "But we'll be needing something cool to sweeten the deal."

"And some codenames too," Buzz replied, limping past the new Skylanders towards the exit. "Luckily, Mags has got you covered with the former. Follow me." The Smashers followed behind, ready to see what new invention Mags built awaits for them.

The new cadets hired into the Skylander team were standing on the deck of a flying airship, where Mags was ready to present the new vehicles she made. They were hidden underneath a long, singular cloak, and she was just about ready to explain the mission. A short, blue furry creature with a toothy grin, yellow sclera, and long ears and wearing leather boots and gloves with a large tuba-shaped bubble blower on his back was mixing a few vials together while adding dashes of other concoctions.

"Now then… we've received a distress call from Hugo, Flynn, and Cali, our three most trusted recruits," Mags explained. "They may not be Skylanders, but they're obligatory to all the future missions. They've been taken captive on one of Count Moneybone's prison ships, which we've relocated them flying just over Motley Meadows. In order to combat that there Sky Eater thing Kaos and his minions have built, I've been makin' designs of the vehicles for every Rift the Skylanders find. When I put yours into each vehicle I designed for y'all… it wielded some interestin' results. Pop Fizz, can you step outta the way please?" The short furry creature stopped mixing when he heard Mags.

"Uh… okay!" Pop Fizz replied, doing as she asked. "I'm not really sure whatcha got under there."

"Just focus on the anti-amnesia potion for Alchemo, aight?" Mags continued, grabbing onto the end of the cloth. "Anyways, behold your new vehicles!" The pink-skinned inventor swiped off the sheet, and the Smashers looked upon them with awe.

"For the gorilla, we've got the Barrel Blaster. Now I made sure to put your Rift Engines in the right vehicles that you folk see fit, but they jumbled up into different elements upon insertin' em in. Case-and-point, this bad boy's of the Tech Element." Mags explained, walking over to what looked like a vehicle with a barrel for a wheel up front, bamboo chainstays, and cannons at the back. "It's got some bonus stage boosters, a steel drum driver, and some of them barrel cannons on the sides." She smacked the side of the vehicle, and two cannons that looked like they were the perfect replicates from Kong Island popped up at the sides.

"Up next is the Clown Cruiser of the Air Element, the spiky shell guy's type," she went on, heading over to what appeared to be a mini-airship shaped like a plane with Bowser's wooden face carved into it and some cannons underneath the wings. "It's got everything you need for a tyrannical ruler of your type: airship planks, a royal figurehead, and some Koopa bombers. Don't know what those are." The following vehicles contained the following from left to right: a jet ski with a bluish-violet hue, a hood containing the face of the Mighty Jinjonator, and large red feathers on each side with blue egg cannons; a small, alien pirate ship with jagged, monochromatic architecture and holographic sails on top and the sides, a hollowed cockpit in the center, and two deep blue harpoons at the back with Metroids imprinted on them; a blue sporty race car with flaming golden rings for wheels, flamethrowers on the sides, and the seven Chaos Emeralds encased in glass tubes on the backside; a glider that looked like the Star Allies Sparkler but arranged differently, such as having been tilted downward with the white insignia imprinted on the top, and a heart-shaped controller seat with glass up front shaped like a star; a peculiar boat that looks like a darker recolor of a Steelhead Salmonid from the Inkling's universe, subwoofers attached to the fins and the sides of its head, and turrets where Octarians would sit and fire; a tank that was just a version of Fox's Landmaster with twin turrets, crystalline armor, and rocky wheels; a winged motorcycle made entirely out of vines that was floating in midair, leaves for the wings and the tail, and flower-shaped cannons on the side; and a four-wheeler that had two Rapidash skulls glowing with blue fire for headlights, an old and gnarled design on the shape and form of the ATV, and cannons that had the jewels of Sableyes attached to them.

"Here, we have the Jinjo Jetski of the Magic Element. Got the toughest Jinjo paint, red feathers, and some egg cannons. Then there's the Phazon Hunter of the Water Element. Chaotic design, state-of-the-art technology, and harpoons to hunt down the deadliest of criminals. We've got the Flash Drifter, burning with the Fire Element. It uses burning rings to reach speeds faster than Mach 1, mythical Chaos Emeralds to charge its power, and some cool flamethrowers to cause massive damage. Then there's the Star Sparkler of the Light Element, with armor forged out of love, tail streaks, and cannons of purely concentrated light. Salmon Devourer of the Dark Element. A vicious beast, some party speakers to keep the beat pumping, and some ink-filled turrets. Land Master, speaks for itself being of the Earth Element. Has diamond-tough armor, all-terrain wheels, and Smart Bomb turrets. Viridi's Voice, Life Element. Spore-engaged defenses, iron-tough leaves, nasty flower guns. Last but certainly not least, Giratina's Quad of the Undead Element. Rapidash skull headlights, tougher-than-bone wood, and soul-sucking mortars. That's all I got, and I built every single one of them in just a couple minutes."

"Okay, you've convinced us on why we should stay here," Sonic replied, zipping over to the Flash Drifter with joy in his heart as he hugged the hood. "I am keeping this one! It's perfect…"

"You mad gal, you actually did it," Fox McCloud responded with an impressed tone, feeling the crystal armor on the Land Master. "You haven't even been to any of our worlds, and yet you nailed the designs perfectly."

"Oh, don't thank me," Mags chuckled, pointing to a short, blue-skinned humanoid shark leaning on the control panel in front of the ship. "You can thank Sharpfin for the designs. He wanted to emulate what he knew felt familiar to you guys, and I helped deliver! Glad y'all like 'em."

"Now THIS is how you sweeten a deal!" Bowser laughed as he fitted himself into the cockpit of the Clown Cruiser.

"Hey, Pop Fizz," Mags asked. "Ya finished with the potion?"

"Yes I am!" Pop Fizz replied, giving a potion bottle with a raspberry red to Mags when he completed mixing and such. "It's a little bubbly, but I can assure you once you drink it you'll be recovering those memories of yours in certain time periods… or you might die from severe headaches." The inventor pulled out a small bag and poured some grounded herbs and roots into the potion before giving it to Alchemo.

"Gee, thanks for the tip," Alchemo chuckled nervously, not hesitating as he quickly chugged down the potion.

"So: about the mission," Fox McCloud asked.

"We all head on over to Motley Meadows, free that Mabu trio, and get 'em off that skeleton's ship," Buzz explained, limping across the wooden drawbridge to the ship. "The other Skylanders tried and failed countless times, but you folks seem to have a good history with this kinda stuff. Let's hope you don't go missin' like Astroblast and Deep Dive Gill Grunt. The plan goes as follows: one of you activates a Rift in your vehicle to the ship, and you break Flynn, Cali, and Hugo out. We'll be flying over to pick you up. This is life-or-death, and the more seconds we waste the more the Sky Eater devours." The Smashers got into their own vehicles, starting up the Rift Engines and warming them up.

"Hat Kid! Alchemo! Hop on!" Mewtwo called out to the two young fighters. Hat Kid climbed into Sonic's Flash Drifter while Alchemo climbed up on top of Fox's Land Master.

"Nice," Sonic chuckled, feeling his vehicle rumble quietly. "Purrs like a kitten too. Wonder how you even use these Rift Engines to get anywhere… Perhaps they might work like my rings, so if I think or say the name of our destination…"

"It'll take ya there in a jiffy!" Mags finished for the blue hedgehog. "Oh: and one more thing. There are Land Vehicles, Sky Vehicles, and Sea Vehicles. Each element seems to belong in a certain category of terrain, so we advise you plan out your strategies while accomplishing your mission. Earth, Fire, Tech, and Undead belong with the Land Vehicles, Air, Life, and Light are part of the Sky Vehicles, and Water, Magic, and Dark fit into the Sea Vehicles."

"Ah, so the Rift Engines DO work like my homeworld's rings in a way…" Sonic added. "So… the ship where some guys named Hugo, Flynn, and Cali are kept prisoner?" As soon as the blue hedgehog said those words, the Flash Drifter rumbled. A red vortex coated in flames opened up in front of the team. Everyone toggled the settings on their vehicles, ready to drive off.

"Better sit on my lap, Hat Kid," Sonic warned the alien girl in the back, tapping the gas pedal to warm up his Rift Engine while Hat Kid squeezed into Sonic's seat up front. "This ride's gonna get bumpy!"

"Let's ride!" Pit shouted, squeezing the gas lever on his Sky Vehicle: Viridi's Voice. The angel flew into the opened Rift, and Kirby piloted his Star Sparkler into the burning vortex with Bowser's Clown Cruiser. Banjo squeezed the gas lever of his and Kazooie's Jinjo Jetski, skidding across the floor with so generating from it alongside Ridley's Phazon Hunter and Clementine's Salmon Devourer. Sonic slammed the gas pedal, and he drove straight into the vortex with Hat Kid. Mewtwo simply used his telekinesis to drive Giratina's Quad, and Donkey Kong's Barrel Blaster and Fox's Land Master shortly followed into the disappearing Rift.

"You reckon they're gonna be okay?" Mags asked Buzz.

"They look like they've been around the block," Buzz answered. "Besides, they've got their own thing going on. How hard can it get for 'em?" A small island filled with a few sheep on it floated by, and one of them was looking down upon the Skylander Academy when no one was looking. The sheep gave off a small but malicious grin on its face, suggesting something was not quite right with that sheep. The wooly mammal poofed in a cloud of black spades and clubs and red hearts and diamonds, revealing that it was Jevil in disguise through his usage of shapeshifting.

"Hee hee… no one will ever suspect a thing as long as I utilize my metamorphosis well, well," Jevil quietly spoke to himself, standing up. "They're still in a game they're never gonna get out of, which can mean the perfect opportunities to mess with them." As Mags, Buzz, and Sharpfin were beginning to take off from the academy, the jester extended his left hand. A small cluster of spiders crawled out of his poofy black sleeve, gathering up in the palm of Jevil's purple mitten."

"You sneak on board that yacht and gather information through analysis of the non-Skylanders and their fighting skills, skills," the jester commanded, still bearing that pointed grin of his. "I'll be taking my leave to Motley Meadows to find the eighth piece before the Sky Eater finishes its meal, meal." The spiders each created several thin web strings, and Jevil blew them off for them to be carried off with the wind. The spiders clinged onto the hull of the ship, and they crawled in through the cracks. Jevil jumped off the tiny floating island, using his levitational powers and teleporting himself away from the Skylander Academy's territory.


The fiery Rift opened up, and the fighters drove onto one of the wooden cages in a dark and spacious prison cell. The bottom of the ship seemed to have vanished in the dark, and there were loads of those cages hanging from chains from the ceiling. A floating TV was broadcasting a message, with the face of a skeleton delivered through the blue static. The skeleton seemed to have a curly mustache and a golden right eye with a purple cape and golden handcuffs and chest armor.

"Greetings, prisoners!" the TV spoke. "This is your captain speaking. On behalf of our supreme and glorious emperor, Lord Kaos, welcome aboard. I'm sure you'll find your stay here… most unpleasant." Fox activated the turrets on his Land Master, shooting the TV screen and obliterating it. He and Alchemo got off the mercenary's vehicle, the both of them stepping onto the flimsy boards. The Land Master vanished completely in a puff of brown smoke and rocks, leaving behind a miniature version of his Tech Rift Engine dropped onto the floor. Fox picked it up, surprised the Rift Engine fitted in his hand as well as how it was glimmering with both an orange aura and cogs.

"You okay?" Sonic asked the Hat Kid sitting in his lap. "Told you it was gonna be fast." The alien girl nodded with a little trauma from the speed, quickly falling out of the Flash Drifter. One by one, the Skylander rookies got out of their vehicles, which all vanished in puffs of smoke corresponding with their current elements and left behind small Rift Engines based on the elements of their drivers.

"Looks like the guy running the place locked those cell doors up tight," Fox explained, fitting his Rift Engine into his pocket. There were a bunch of Mabu and other prisoners of different species on board, locked up, who were all bearing faces of joy that a group of Skylanders had arrived to help set them free.

"So, do we release the guys we need and get out of here? Bada-bing, bada-boom? Like that?" Pit asked.

"Think so," Bowser replied. "But I don't even know which ones the folks back at the academy want."

"Pst! Over here, Skylanders!" a voice straight ahead whispered, with the voice echoing far enough for the fighters to hear. Straight ahead across the cages was a special prison cell with a golden lock, and a key was hung around the neck of an armored troll. Inside the cage seemed to be three different types of Mabu trapped in: a short creature wearing glasses and carrying a large book on his back, a feminine Mabu, and a familiar face from the World of Light. The whispering voice was coming from the shortest of the three.

"Those the guys we're looking for? Flynn, Cali, and Hugo?" Ridley asked. The Inkling girl chirped, nodding as she was talking.

"We'll take it as a yes," Alchemo replied, jumpin across the gap between the wooden cages. The young cadet went ahead, and Hat Kid followed behind. The Smashers followed behind, jumping over cage after cage to get to the trio locked in the cage. The troll seemed to notice the Smashers coming this way, and he quickly pulled out an axe to clobber the intruders. Bowser grabbed the neck of the troll while Hat Kid ran in and tore the key to the prison cell from his neck. The Koopa King tossed the troll into the air and whacked it out of sight with his hammer. The alien girl unlocked the cage and opened the iron-bar door.

"Thanks for saving us!" the short Mabu said. "But there are still other prisoners aboard the ship that could use your help too!"

"Hugo's right," the familiar tall Mabu replied. "We should probably do something about that… right?"

"I guess we should," Pit replied. "That's what heroes are for! Let's get out of here right now, while we're at it."

"Looks like Donkey Kong's already on it," Kazooie cawed, both she and Banjo watching as the gorilla was attacking the exit door out of the detention center.

"There must be a main flagship that's controlling the fleet," the female Mabu explained. "If we can reach it, maybe we can override the controls and save everyone."

"That sounds totally awesome, Cali," Flynn replied. "Let's do it! Boom!" Donkey Kong managed to break down the door barricading everyone in, ramming down the door with his barrel. The Smashers exited outside with Hat Kid, Alchemo, and the three Mabu they had just rescued. The alien girl looked out into the distance of the meadows next to the side of the ship, and she looked in terror at how the islands were being torn apart.

"Woah… what's happening?" Cali asked, horrified by what she saw. Everyone else was concerned in some way about the situation.

"Well, Cali," Flynn replied. "In my expert opinion, that big-head looky thingy is gobblin' up the sky." A gigantic, metallic head from the distance was devouring Motley Meadows with a humongous magenta vortex that seemed to get bigger with every piece of the islands it consumed.

"This is terrible!" Hugo exclaimed, looking upon the horror the colossal machine was creating. "I wish Master Eon was here. He might know of a way to stop this madness Kaos is causing… If we don't act soon, the Sky Eater will destroy everything!"

"Geez," Ridley spoke as a reaction to what was currently happening. "I've done pretty awful things back in the days I remember, but this…? I don't know what to make of it."

"Neither do we," Mewtwo telepathized. Fox looked back at his pals, trying to think of a way to save everyone here, both the residents living on those islands and on Count Moneybone's fleet.

"Hm… well, we are SuperChargers, the only guys to combat your 'little'… ahem… problem," Fox McCloud pointed out. "However, I think there could be a way to rescue everyone before Buzz and his team show up to get us outta here. Those with the Land Vehicles should be driving through Motley Meadows and go about rescuing the people living there before they get sucked in. Anything water-related on board this fleet?"

"I've heard there's a lake of orange liquid at the front of the main ship, which could be the place to override the controls and free all the prisoners on the fleet," Cali answered.

"We could take the SuperChargers that can use their Sea Vehicles, and we can drop them off there so they can get to the place they need to be in," Sonic added. "And maybe once everyone gets off on the evacuation ships around here, the guys who can use the Sky Vehicles can protect everyone from the fleet in the air. Does this place have evacuation ships?"

"I think all the ships do," Hugo replied. "And maybe the rest of us can grab Flynn's ship and get out of here."

"Right," Bowser replied. "Nobody's getting off into the air until we know the prisoners on board are freed. You guys ready?" The Smashers replied in excitement, ready to save Motley Meadows and the captives.

"Well, I was going to suggest an alternate plan by letting us get eaten by that Sky Eater thing, but I guess yours is a little better," Flynn responded. "To be fair, I am delicious, not to brag. Boom!"

"I guess we're off," Mewtwo telepathized, floating over to a nearby dock with the wind blowing on the left side of his face. "Alchemo. Come over here." The young cadet adjusted his glasses, hopping right ahead to the legendary Pokémon.

"I'm ready to be as useful as I can to the team," Alchemo spoke up. "When my memories recover, I can assure you I'll be more helpful to you guys than before."

"Excellent," Mewtwo replied. "I guess you'll be going with the Sea Vehicle drivers. Donkey Kong, Fox, Sonic. All of you activate your Rift Engines."

"Right!" Sonic noted, taking out his Rift Engine the same time the Star Fox mercenary and the gorilla took out theirs. "...How exactly do we get our engines to appear…?"

"Oh, that part's easy!" Hugo answered. "You just toss them onto their coordinated terrain and they'll pop up! Just like that."

"Really?" Fox asked. "Didn't really think of that. Alright, Ridley. Banjo-Kazooie, Clementine. We'll be heading out. So… the biggest ship in the fleet?"

"Shouldn't be hard to miss," Cali responded. "It's big, has blue painting, red spikes on the interior, and basically houses a lot of Kaos's troops under orders of Count Moneybone."

"Gotcha," Fox noted, walking over to Mewtwo. "The rest of you stay behind and get to your ship. Wait for us until we're done." Fox tossed his miniature Rift Engine onto the dock floor, which grew in size and generated the Land Master out of a brown mist. The mercenary hopped in, and the Breegull carried her bear friend onto the tank as best as she could. The blue hedgehog went next, jumping into the Flash Drifter as it generated in with a red smoke and flames. Donkey Kong did the same when he jumped into his Barrel Blaster shortly after, and Mewtwo followed last with Giratina's Quad. Alchemo got onto the back of the Undead Land Vehicle, Ridley flew in and got in a good position behind the cannons on the Barrel Blaster, and the Inkling hopped into Sonic's lap in her squid form.

As the Skylanders drove off into Motley Meadows, they were watching as some of the Dirt Sharks living here were hanging on for dear life and fleeing from the Sky Eater's destruction.

"Y'know, this whole scenario reminds me of the time Eggman took over almost all of Mobius," Sonic pointed out. "Just saying. At least we've got each other to push through."

"Then it's best we drive around and rescue as many as we can until the rest of us get the prisoner ships rolling," Fox McCloud replied. "Let's move!" The SuperChargers began driving throughout the islands in the meadows, snatching the residents in danger of being sucked in. They grabbed some Dirt Sharks holding onto flagpoles and flying towards the giant Rift, and Alchemo and the Smashers with Sea Vehicles were helping drop the people to safety on the islands farthest from the Sky Eater.

"There! The lead flagship!" Mewtwo exclaimed, using his telepathy to alert the fighters about the main ship Cali described.

"Alright, we'll be dropping you guys off at the main ship," Fox told the three Smashers that had the Sea Vehicles for their Rift Engines, as well as Alchemo. "The rest of us will be using our Land Vehicles to rescue more of the residents in trouble. Got that?"

"We got you, loud and clear!" Banjo replied.

"Alright, let's go!" Fox spoke out loud, pressing the button to activate the boosters on his Land Master. The SuperChargers sped off, passing by the houses that were abandoned by the villagers living in the meadow. A common Dirt Shark dweller was peeking out from behind the houses once the vehicles sped by, and he walked to the center of the road where no one was looking. He closed his eyes and drew a circle and an X on a certain spot.

"Jackpot, jackpot," the Dirt Shark spoke in a familiar voice, which confirmed it was the jester himself who shapeshifted into a local villager. Jevil kept his Dirt Shark disguise, striking the marked spot with his hands that were stylized to dig through the ground. The jester clawed again and again, spreading dirt in the wind until he stopped.

Jevil made his disguise vanish, and he reached into the ground with his mittened hands until he dragged out what he was looking for: a spiny-scaled serpent buried in the ground and colored brown with bronze jewels for eyes. The snake seemed to be dead, but the body was still fresh somehow or was entirely fake. Jevil placed the brown serpent in the back of his outfit, flying back to the Sky Eater while everyone else was busy helping the prisoners escape.

Sonic was the only one speeding up his Land Vehicle, with Clementine holding on tight. He was next to the other drivers, and he was ready to stop at the edge of the island next to the lead flagship.

"Okay, guys! This is your chance!" Sonic told Banjo-Kazooie, Ridley, and Alchemo. "Get on board and get ready to jump!" The fighters looked ahead and knew they were going to be breaking into the ship. They all jumped into the Flash Drifter, and by the split-second Sonic was about to drive off he quickly slammed the brakes and drifted. The initial gravitational pull from the force of gravity veered Alchemo, Inkling, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie off into the air. They were shot across like bullets in the sky, about to land in an orange liquid lake filled with crates and mechanical junk. The Breegull reached into Banjo's backpack and spat out their Rift Engine in the lake, where it grew in size and transformed into the Jinjo Jetski. Ridley and Clementine threw down their Rift Engines, and they transformed into the Phazon Hunter and Salmon Devourer respectively. The Smashers jumped into their Sea Vehicles, with Ridley catching Alchemo with his tail. Ripples in the liquid grew into small waves, which splashed onto the crates and generated glowing-orange creatures with small bodies, stalk eyes, and large mouths filled with sharp teeth.

"Chompies," Alchemo pointed out as the fighters drove their vehicles through the liquid. "Everyone knows they're the most common and most annoying enemies in Skylands. Even amnesiacs know what they are just by looking at them."

"Well, we aren't attacking them, aren't we?" Ridley asked, speeding between the crates. Several trolls spotted the three Smashers moving through the lake, and they quickly grouped up on the crates to protect the ship's control panel. The glowing Chompies rushed over to the fighters the second they landed on the crates. Kazooie quickly unfurled her wings, tossing darts to kill the incoming Chompies as they exploded in an orange liquid. Their Sea Vehicles transformed back into the tiny Rift Engines, and the Smashers quickly picked them up.

"Let's go!" Kazooie cawed as the Skylanders raced towards the lever to lower the control panel while climbing over leaking pipes and floating crates. Any troll that tried to stop them either met with Ridley's metallic claws or were knocked into the orange liquid by Clementine's boomerang vinyls. The group continued fighting their way through, each one of them just trying to get used to their new abilities as they kept missing their attacks before eventually landing.

"Ah! They're coming back!" Alchemo told the fighters as he threw explosive potions at the trolls and Chompies crawling on the crates up to them. The Inkling quickly reached the lever and pulled it down, lowering the platform with the main control panels.

"Alright… let's get this over with and see what's going on," Ridley spoke, walking over to the platform and mashing a bunch of buttons and switches. As soon as he finished, an alarm blared throughout the ship, and more of the armored trolls were alerted by this.

"Who's messing with the controls on my ship!?" Count Moneybone's voice echoed throughout the main ship. "Don't let the intruders get away! Air troops, attack the escaping prisoners!" The trolls and Chompies had completely surrounded the SuperChargers, and they pulled out their weapons and prepared to fight the incoming enemies.

Inside the smaller ships in the fleet, cages were being opened up and the chains were loosening on the confined aircrafts. The prisoners crawled out of their cells and started up their vehicles, flying out of the ship from below. Pit, Bowser, Kirby, and Hat Kid were helping get the Mabu trio onto their aircraft, which looked similar to the ship Mags, Sharpfin, and Buzz had back at the Skylander Academy.

"Alright, this escape's gonna get a little bumpy, so you better hold onto something," Flynn warned the crew on the back.

"Nah," Bowser replied, standing near the edge of the air boat. "I think we're good with flying." The Koopa King tossed his Rift Engine into the air, which transformed into the Clown Cruiser from a cyan mist. Kirby tossed his, and it turned into the Star Sparkler in a yellow mist, and Pit activated his Sky Vehicle by throwing out Viridi's Voice's Rift Engine. The three fighters jumped into their Sky Vehicles, flying straight down to escape through the hatch below the ship they were currently in. As the prisoners began evacuating from Count Moneybone's fleet, several trolls piloting Shadow Ships flew out into the air and began attacking the fleeing ships.

"Hey, Hat Kid! Mabu things!" Bowser told the alien girl below him, the pink puffball, and the angel. "You guys keep a good lookout for any of those buggers attacking the ship as you get the heck outta here! Us three will help these people escape!"

"Uh, I think we already know what to do should these guys attack," Cali replied. The SuperChargers flew off, using the cannons on their vehicles to attack the Shadow Ships. There weren't many enemies around and the battle wasn't intense as they thought it was, but the fighters in general were still causing some form of major damage to the enemies.

"Bowser!" Pit warned as some Shadow Ships were following the Clown Cruiser when it split up from the other two Air Vehicles. "You got some bad guys on your tail!"

"You don't think I see them?" Bowser asked, flying upward before circling around in a loop until he ended up behind the Shadow Ships attacking him. "I suggest you be doing some barrel rolls before you end up a pile of feathers."

"What?" Pit asked, squeezing the brake lever on his Air Vehicle in fright as he got into the line of fire on some more Shadow Ships. Kirby pressed a few buttons in the control panel of his Star Sparkler, creating two cannons of highly saturated light and firing star-shaped blasts at the minions.

"Thanks, Kirby," Pit thanked. "You're a real lifesaver." The pink puffball replied with a happy "Poyo!" More ships kept attacking the escaping prisoners only to be met by deadly bullets from the Skylanders firing at them, and the ship Cali, Flynn, Hugo, and Hat Kid were on was flying towards the ship to pick up the Smashers over at the lead ship. At the orange liquid lake, the fighters were attacking more of the monsters in their way when they noticed the ship in the distance.

"Hurry, Skylanders!" Hugo called out to them. "We need to get out of here!" Banjo grabbed Alchemo's arm and jumped off one of the large crates, tossing out his Rift Engine and letting it transform back into the Jinjo Jetski through violet smoke that glittered. The bear jumped into the Sea Vehicle and helped Alchemo sit behind him, and Ridley spat out balls of fire at the trolls while Inkling pulled out her Salmon Devourer's Rift Engine. As Clementine and the bear-and-bird duo sped off across the orange liquid, the Space Pirate pulled out his miniature Rift Engine and drove towards the ship where the three Mabu and Hat Kid were waiting for the group.

"Great. Now let's get your friends at Motley Meadows and fly out of here before these Shifty Sticklers grab their Shadow Ships and gun us down," Cali pointed out, with the Smashers and Alchemo setting foot on the deck and their Sea Vehicles transforming back into the small Rift Engines. The ship blasted away from the main ship, and the armored trolls were snarling and growling as the Skylanders and their friends flew off to Motley Meadows.

Mewtwo, Fox, Sonic, and Donkey Kong were busy ramming their Land Vehicles into metallic cannons that were both attacking them and the civilians fleeing from the Sky Eater's destruction as they helped guide them towards the ships driven by the prisoners. Flynn's ship flew in, and Hat Kid beckoned to them.

"Hurry up, guys!" Hat Kid called out. "I've got a bad feeling more of these troll bad guys are gonna be attacking us unless we get moving!"

"You heard the girl," Mewtwo told the other three Smashers with his telepathy. "Let's move." The Pokémon tapped into his psychic abilities to rev up Giratina's Quad and drive straight for the folks they were assigned to help break out. The blue hedgehog, Star Fox mercenary, and gorilla followed behind once they saw that everything in Motley Meadows was cleared and they ran up a conveniently-placed slanted hill in front of them. The four Smashers flew high into the air, and Banjo-Kazooie, Inkling, Ridley, Hat Kid, Cali, Flynn, and Hugo all backed away to make room on the deck. As soon as the fighters landed on the ship with their Land Vehicles, Flynn ran up to the steering wheel at the front of his yacht.

"Alright, so the rest of your pals should be meeting up with us any second now," Fox told the Mabu on board, hopping out of the Land Master and grabbing the miniature Rift Engine that remained as the vehicle poofed alongside the others. "Seems like once Bowser, Pit, and Kirby are done distracting the enemy fleet, they'll be meeting with us soon."

"Good plan. Great plan," Flynn replied, spinning the steering wheel until the flying ship began to turn. "Let's just leave for now and get the heck outta here." The ship flew off into the light piercing through the darkened clouds, and the Sky Vehicles that were attacking the Shadow Ships flew alongside the evacuees. It wasn't long before everyone flew off as fast as they could to escape imprisonment. As soon as everyone was in the clear, Kirby, Bowser, and Pit all flew onto the deck of Flynn's ship, their Sky Vehicles transforming back into tiny Rift Engines as soon as they got off.

"Those were the guys trying to stop us? Please," Bowser scoffed, brushing some of the rubble from his shoulder pad. "They were the easiest enemies ever."

"They may have been easy for now, but Kaos and his minions always have backup plans," Cali replied. "Some of them are highly crafty and intelligent. Count Moneybone is being paid good money to throw everyone in his highly-guarded prison so they would later submit to that spoiled brat as their new emperor. The Doom Raiders, Skylands' most feared enemies banding up together… just sorta vanished."

"Any chance you folks might know about this Jevil guy?" Sonic asked. "We ran into him an hour ago and we kicked his butt after coming into contact with those Rift Engines." Hugo yelped in a shriek of panic, cowering behind Cali.

"Even hearing that guy's name gives me the freaks!" Hugo replied in a timid voice. "If there's one thing I hate more than sheep, it's clowns! When the Sky Eater struck the Skylander Academy, he was the one who left us outnumbered! And none of us have even heard of him! I saw it all happen with my own four eyes. That pointy-eared jester was hacking down Skylanders left and right, and we couldn't even save most of them before we moved the whole place! Jet Vac, Terrafin, Trigger Happy… I've seen them transform into life-sized, plastic husks of themselves in their battle poses shortly before Master Eon, Flynn, Cali, and I were captured by Kaos and his minions."

"...So they transform into trophies upon death. Just like us," Fox McCloud cleared out, aware that this whole scenario is similar to their world in a way.

"Just like you?" Flynn asked in his usual goofy tone, looking back at the Smashers on board. "Now that I think about it, I don't think we've seen you guys around here."

"That's because we're not from around here," Pit replied. "All of us came here with the past knowledge of learning how to fight. How do you think we helped all those prisoners escape, including you? I know you guys might not remember, but Flynn was actually a part of a resistance that drew in Spirits from other worlds, including yours. And we actually came here through one of your uh… Rifts, so you can thank Alchemo for that. Right, Alchemo? Alchemo… are you okay?" The skinny creature was leaning over the edge of the ship, throwing up as a splitting headache pierced through his skull.

"Eeeerragh!" Alchemo shrieked, sitting down and tossing and turning as he was clawing through his hair. "Guys…? I think Pop Fizz's potion is starting to take effect…!" The fighters ran over to Alchemo, trying to comfort him as his eyes widened and he began seeing a piece of his past.


He remembered the day when he was first introduced into the Skylander Academy as a new student. He was walking through the outskirts of the island with the spirit of a tall, robed Portal Master wearing a silver crown and sporting a ravishing white beard which he took full price in. Alchemo was to be given his first task as a new Skylander.

"So… Master Eon," Alchemo asked. "Why exactly was I called here to the academy? They don't even open it to anyone, from what I've heard. Only to extremely gifted people. I'm just a nobody in my village, and there's been a ton of ghosts and spooks invading from the Land of the Undead. When I tried proving anything to anyone, I was laughed out of town for trying to tell them the truth that there are aliens and monsters living among us."

"When I first arrived at your village in the search of new Skylanders, I took an interest in what a gifted mind you had," Eon explained. "Trying your best to master alchemy to get rid of paranormal activity and trying to prove to people that there's more to the world than just the islands they grew up on, even when your concoctions tend to be a bit… explosive."

"Yeah, I get that you hired me here just so I can master my potion-mixing and technicians, but… what's my true purpose?" Alchemo asked again. "Why was I brought into this world?"

"Your job as a Skylander is to learn the essence of teamwork," Eon provided with further information. "You see… There's light and darkness inside us all, and we must learn how to balance both out. Our job is to protect the Skylands from the ever-growing threat of those living within the darkness, even the one which we can no longer name."

"So why don't you just eliminate the darkness altogether?" Alchemo questioned. Eon simply laughed at that remark.

"Again, both sides are needed for complete balance," Eon added. "They are shed in a morally gray area, so we know light isn't always our ally and darkness isn't always the enemy. Take a look at some of the new Skylanders we brought in. Are they evil just because they are of the Dark Element?"

"No, not really," Alchemo answered.

"And what about Luminous, one of the Doom Raiders? Is he good just because he wields the Light Element?" The young cadet shook his head.

"I've heard he had done terrible things in his day," Alchemo replied.

"Now you're getting it," Eon chuckled. "To answer your first question, the time to learn of your purpose will arrive soon, but just know you cannot accomplish anything... without a little bit of teamwork. Now then… I've called you here for a simple mission. Kaos has managed to escape his Trap Crystal prison, stealing a special vial containing what's left of the Darkness to use it for evil. He has allied himself with the Doom Raiders after breaking them out from a newly-reformed Cloudcracker Prison, and they're currently hiding out in the Falling Forest. I can't imagine what horrible things Kaos plans to do with that vial… You'll be going with Eruptor and Stealth Elf, two of the academy's veterans. It's a simple but important task, as it requires you to learn about teamwork." The two made it to the back of the academy, where a green elf with a face mask and glowing-white eyes and Eruptor without having the armor of a SuperCharger during that time.

"Come on," Stealth Elf called out to Alchemo. "Are we ready to go or what?" The young cadet ran up to the two veterans, and they stepped onto their own platforms on the ground, which were gleaming with the color of cyan.

"Hope we can come back soon for lunch, because honestly: I didn't even eat breakfast," Eruptor noted. The three vanished in flashes of cyan, disappearing from the Skylander Academy and ending up in a darker part of the Falling Forest.

"Come on," Stealth Elf whispered, pulling out her daggers as she snuck beneath the twisted branches which were obscuring the sunlight more, but not that it really mattered since the sky was mostly cloudy-gray. The trio snuck through the woods, with Stealth Elf taking the lead. She stopped the two Skylanders behind her as she peeked behind a boulder once she saw a campfire from a reasonable distance.

"Looks like Kaos and the Doom Raiders set up camp here," Stealth Elf quietly spoke. "Looks like that big-headed shrimp's gonna advise his plan." There, they watched as the Dark Portal Master was ready to explain his plan to the likes of the Gulper, the Chompy Mage, Chef Pepper Jack, Dreamcatcher, Dr. Krankcase, Wolfgang, Nightshade, Luminous, and the Golden Queen, all of them sitting around a campfire.

"Alright, Kaos," the Golden Queen spoke, rubbing her thumb over the tips of her fingers. "This better be important. We didn't get dragged all the way out here for nothing."

"Yeah!" Chef Pepper Jack snapped. "Ya better explain your plan fast, or we'll be puttin' that big head of yours in a stew pot!"

"Patience, everyone," Kaos spoke, overly confident in his plan. "After escaping from those miserable Skylosers, I had managed to stumble across a vial containing all that remains of the Darkness that was sealed off thousands of years ago. After my powers have gotten stronger from touching it, helping me to escape my Traptanium prison, I had realized this would be the perfect item to put my plan into action! So… feast your eyes on this!" The Dark Portal Master reached into his black robe, unaware that he was holding nothing in his left hand. The Doom Raiders were confused by this.

"... Isn't there supposed to be something you're holding?" Wolfgang asked.

"Yeah," Dreamcatcher replied. "I was kinda expecting a freaky-looking bottle, but…" Kaos looked back at his empty hand, completely shocked that he was empty-handed."

"Glumshanks!" Kaos shouted on his left. "Where's the vial!?"

"Beats me, Lord Kaos, sir," a tall, troll with a single strand of hair on his head, big, pointed ears, a ragged shirt, pants, and green skin replied, leaning on the trunk of a gnarled tree with a tired look on his face. "I told you to rehearse that part of the reveal, and you blew it. You just had to leave it on that stump for someone to take, didn't you?"

"Someone to take… well, where did you see the robber!?" Kaos snapped.

"I think I saw them run off into the center of the woods," Glumshanks answered, pointing to his left with his thumb.

"The vial…" Stealth Elf whispered. "We better get it back quick before Kaos- Where did he go? Eruptor? Where's the kid?"

"Beats me," Eruptor replied with a quiet tone, implying even he didn't know where Alchemo ran off to.

The young cadet got a head start, seeing a multicolored light in front of him. He hid behind a rock, watching as a strange man wearing makeup on his face and wearing mismatching clothes was getting something set up on the forest floor. He was lighting up a candle that was flickering with a red flame and placing it in the outer border of a circle, which had other candles glowing with different colors: light-blue, orange, blue, purple, green, and yellow. The tall jester pulled out a strange book marked with a dark purple hardcover, bearing the silhouette of a woman with her hair in the style of horns. He opened the book and read through the marked page, by which Alchemo watched him read through while he himself was in hiding.

"Shouldn't be long now until we get the final ingredient for our plan," the joker spoke. "Hey, little one! Do you have the vial?"

"It's Marx!" a strange voice from the shadows of the woods replied. "We went over this, Kefka." A small, light-violet creature with a two-tone hat marked with circles and triangles and wearing a bowtie replied, floating next to the taller jester with golden wings. "Why do you even need this stuff anyway?"

"Why, to call forth our first friend on the list, just like you said!" Kefka laughed, swiping the vial from Marx's claws. "You're pretty forgetful, aren't you? According to the book you stole from Kaossandra, we need at least this amount of darkness to bring him into this world. Once we're done, he'll be staying here for a while to get the last remaining piece we need."

"Yeah, I guess so," Marx replied as Kefka placed the vial in the center of the circle. "Mephiles might be doing well without us at this point. Ugh…"

"Hush now," Kefka spoke, flipping to the page he needed and casting some sort of magic over the circle. "You still have a lot to learn about the benefits of teamwork. Now then…

A legend whispered among the ruins

Speaks of a tale about monsters and humans

From an alternate world where they live in the dark

Seek out a jester who bites like a shark

Bring him out of his little freedom into a bigger one

Let him experience the wonders of having fun!

Alchemo watched as the vial containing the Darkness vibrated, and blue flames coated the circle. A pillar of cyan shot out into the air with darkened clouds covering the landscape. A powerful wind blew from all corners, with Marx completely amazed by the show going on.

"Hahaha! It's working!" Kefka laughed, watching a body form from within the flames. Soon enough, the blue pillar vanished, and the sky slowly returned to its usual gray. The young cadet kept watching as the two jesters opened their eyes, looking at the strange clown in front of them. The circle seemed to have vanished, and all that remained was the vial with the Darkness inside.

"Welcome to the Skylands, Jevil," Kefka greeted, bowing in front of the monster. "My name is Kefka Palazzo, and this here is Marx. You've been called here for a bigger initiative."

"Bigger… initiative?" Jevil asked.

"That vial you see here?" Kefka continued. "It holds the essence of a powerful deity that can only gain sentience and revert back to their true form by a powerful relic from this world and the magic of the world it devours."

"Here's the book," Marx spoke, handing Jevil the book they used to summon him, which was much larger for the two short jesters compared to when Kefka held it. "This is the Book of Dark Magic. It might contain the stuff you'll find useful."

"What's going on over there!?" Kaos's voice echoed behind the jesters. "Who's got my vial!?"

"I'm afraid we have to leave to another part of this realm," Kefka finished before taking a bow. "You have fun now, and don't let anyone find out about that book." The tall joker vanished, leaving Marx alone with Jevil. The smaller jester was trying to use Kefka's advice for teamwork in this scenario, but he had to make it quick.

"Looks like the dorks you'll be staying with might have something to do with that vial," Marx mentioned. "I'll be dropping by for a visit once in a while and suggest some ideas. And it'll all be when this Kefka guy isn't around. See ya!" The cosmic jester vanished, and Jevil was left alone in the area. He slipped the book under his cape, straightening it out so no one suspected what he was hiding. Kaos and his companions had just arrived, and they were staring at the jester with curiosity and surprise.

"What the-?" the Chompy Mage asked. "What's that clown doing out here in the middle of the woods?"

"And what's with the creepy smile?" Nightshade added.

"I feel extremely sorry about my sudden appearance that has seemed to startle you, but I do believe you lost this," Jevil replied, picking up the vial from the ground. "It seemed as though it was important for your mission, mission… whatever it may be." Kaos snatched the vial from Jevil's mitten.

"I can provide an extreme usefulness to your team, and I'm aware of how much fun you want to have basking in the turmoil that follows from the simple folk who don't know the meaning of fun," Jevil continued.

"Usefulness to the team, huh?" the Golden Queen asked, her ruby eyes glimmering with delight and interest. "I like the sound of that. What do you think, Kaos?"

"Yeah, yeah," Kaos replied, paying more attention to the vial than to Jevil. "He's on the team. Big whoop."

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" Jevil laughed, swimming through the air like a mermaid. "Oh, I can't wait to bring about some excitement to spice up the boring life of this world! Uee hee hee!" As Alchemo watched the jester follow the villains, Stealth Elf grabbed the cadet's wrist.

"What are you doing here?" Stealth Elf asked through whispering. "You could have been killed out there!"

"I'm sorry," Alchemo answered. "I didn't know I would go off that far…"

"Sorry isn't good enough," Stealth Elf replied, with Eruptor behind her as she pulled Alchemo away. "Come on. Wait until Master Eon hears about this." As Alchemo was carried off from the team, he looked behind and saw the J-shaped tail of the jester disappearing into the Falling Forest.


"Alchemo?" Sonic asked, tapping the rim of the young cadet's glasses. "Alchemo! You passed out on us. Did the potion take effect?" The young cadet cleared his throat, aware of what he saw.

"I remember I went into the Falling Forest with Stealth Elf and Eruptor to spy on Kaos and the Doom Raiders. His vial got stolen by some guys named Kefka… Palazzo and Marx…? I think those were their names. I think Marx said something about… dropping in on Jevil when Kefka isn't around?"

"Marx?" Mewtwo asked with telepathy. "I knew that clown had something to do with this…"

"Whelp, at least we know Jevil's not from this world," Ridley replied.

"But we should still keep our guards up should that little twirp come back again to screw with us again," Bowser growled, placing his fists together. "Now where's Buzz and his ship?"

"Oh! They're here!" Hugo replied, waving over to the ship coming their way. Buzz, Mags, and Sharpfin were on board.

"We've heard word you've stirred up quite a lot of chaos among Count Moneybone's fleet," Buzz called out. "How was it?"

"Awesome!" Banjo replied in excitement. "But… what's our next agenda?"

"Find Master Eon, of course," Cali pointed out. "Only he knows of a way to defeat the Sky Eater once and for all, but… we don't know where to find him, if he's either missing, captive, or DEAD dead…" The blue hedgehog paid close attention to the book on Hugo's back, which had a sock poking out of it.

"Hello? What's this?" Sonic asked, pulling out the sock from the book. Hugo turned around to see the blue devil holding the sock, and his face lit up with an idea.

"That's Master Eon's sock!" Hugo exclaimed, swiping the sock from Sonic's hands. "I saved this with me for good luck. It's what remained of his earthly possessions before he became a spirit. Oh, the worn-out smell fresh from the washing machine still lingers..." Sonic, both he and the other fighters completely weirded out and disgusted by this scenario, took the sock from Hugo.

"Okay, don't mention that ever again," Fox spoke. "Just… tell us what we're going to do with this sock."

"Oh! You would need to visit the Cloudbreather Dragon in Cloudscraper Mountain," Hugo answered. "To summon him, you would need to ring the Dragon Gong. Only he can tell you where Master Eon is kept. Once you get the information you need, come back to the academy." The Smashers nodded, and they pulled out their Rift Engines and tossed them all onto the deck, summoning their vehicles out again.

"I'm coming too!" Hat Kid replied, running over to the Barrel Blaster and hopping into the vehicle with Donkey Kong. "I think if there's any items you need, I'll be the one to collect the stuff!"

"I'll be staying here…" Alchemo groaned, holding the side of his head. "That memory flashback took a toll on me."

"Alright," Mewtwo telepathized. "You stay with the other Skylanders at the academy and get some rest. We don't know when those migraines will take effect again, but get ready by any means. And Hugo… please don't say anything about the smell of old socks. It's disgusting." A Rift from Bowser's Clown Cruiser opened up when the Koopa King simply thought of the name, and the fighters drove straight into the cyan Rift that was swirling with wind.


Inside the Sky Eater itself, Kaos was standing inside the machine on top of the back of his butler troll Glumshanks, looking at the magenta Rift his greatest creation was fueling behind a large glass window.

"Yes, yes! Fear me!" Kaos laughed maniacally. "Bow down before my Doomstation of Ultimate… Doomstruction! Ah, it's a wonderful day, Glumshanks." Kaos hopped off his butler's back, walking over to his throne.

"Uh, yeah, Lord Kaos… sir," Glumshanks replied. "I'm aware the station is powered by the magic it absorbs from the islands… but are you sure it's supposed to rip big holes in the sky like that?"

"Nonsense! Of course I'm sure!" Kaos replied, hopping into his throne. Glumshanks heard the sound of a couple rocks and sheep hitting the window, which were all sucked into the vortex.

"It's uh… not just the holes, sir," Glumshanks objected. "Some of the other trolls have been… complaining?"

"About me!?" Kaos asked, furious that his own minions might be rude at the "generosity" that he pushed upon them."What did they say? No, hold on… I've got enough!" Before Kaos could push the red button to push punishments on the trolls, Jevil teleported into the room in a quick flash of white.

"Kaos, Kaos!" Jevil called out to the Dark Portal Master, which made him jump on his throne. "I believe I should be telling you about the subject matter that occured during my playtime in the farther lands."

"Ah! Jevil!" Kaos spoke, straightening his posture on the seat as he cleared his throat. "Now's not a good time! I was just about to tell my minions to eject-"

"It's not about you, sir. Oh no, not with your… handsome big head and all," Glumshanks assured. "It's about the… thing…" The troll butler was referring to the swirling magenta pillar behind Kaos and Jevil, which was pulsing with raw energy it consumed from every island that was devoured.

"Don't be silly, Glumshanks," Kaos spoke with the utmost certainty. "That's just the Darkness."

"Ah, yes. I can see that. But… have you noticed it's gotten so much bigger…?" Glumshanks continued, aware that the large size of that energy was going to be a huge problem. "Plus… I think it's watching me."

"Oh, you're imagining things, Glumshanks," Kaos replied with disbelief. "Now get me Moneybone." Glumshanks sighed, pressing a few buttons to hook up the line between the Dark Portal Master and the count. Kaos gave an irritated glare at the jester by his side.

"What are you doing here?" Kaos asked as he gritted his teeth. "Can't you see I'm being an evil emperor here?"

"I came to bring you news, news from my encounter, and the tale I tell is not to be taken for a mere fib," Jevil answered. "I came across not more, nor less, a handful of twelve souls. They dropped in from different worlds, but they seemed to have the same goals: escape the game, game they're trapped in by beating it. Ten of them had managed to nab the strength they needed to beat me at my own game by having the Rift Engines they chose for themselves to choose them in return." Kaos was completely confused by what the jester said, not buying into anything he mentioned at all.

"...I don't get it," Kaos replied. "So… if I'm learning this well - trust me: it's very hard to do right now considering you're speaking in a way I can't understand with common sense - you found twelve people, each one from different worlds, who all came here through a Rift, that beat you because they managed to find Rift Engines at the right place at the right time?" The Dark Portal Master burst out into laughter, losing complete belief in what the clown just said.

"The idea… that anyone can just show up from other worlds and become Skylanders through Rift Engines…" Kaos continued laughing, wheezing like a hyena through the hand on his face. "Of course, there's no such possibility! All the portals are disconnected! No one can get in or out of the islands in Skylands! I think you're one that's gravely mistaken, Jevil." The jester flicked Kaos's nose as hard as he could limit himself to, clicking his tongue as he waved his finger in front of the Dark Portal Master's face.

"So quick to lie, the caged little prince is!" Jevil objected, his yellow pupils glimmering through his black sclera. "Did I ask for a lie? I think not. You weren't listening… I was the one who saw the truth with my own two eyes, but I guess you won't believe me until you experience it for yourself. I guess you could say… the future is closer than you think."

"Moneybone on Line 1 for you, sir," Glumshanks sighed, backing away from the control panel. Kaos toggled the stick on his chair to levitate towards a large TV screen, where Count Moneybone was arguing with a small cyclops about what just happened.

"Find out which Skylanders caused trouble among my fleet before Kaos finds out-" Moneybone shouted at the cyclops until he noticed he was on a video chat with his lord. "Ha! Lord Kaos! Since when do I owe the… esteemed pleasure of your sudden and… glorious interruption? And you even have that clown pet by your side. Isn't that adorable…?"

"You're late with your 30-minute status update on my favorite prisoner! Is he suffering?" Kaos asked, raising himself a bit higher with his flying throne.

"Why, yes! Your ghastly arch-nemesis Eon is languishing in his cell!" Moneybone addressed. "Nothing will stand in the way of our total victory!"

"Say… don't you mean MY total victory?" Kaos asked, with Jevil floating up to the Dark Portal Master.

"Of course!" Moneybone chuckled nervously. "How very… bone-headed of me."

"Yes, I thought so," Kaos replied, turning his face on the undead count. "Carry on, Moneybone." The Dark Portal Master pressed a button on his chair, ending the video call with the count.

"Oh, and Jevil," Kaos added, trying his best to calm his temper at the jester by his side. "Why don't you go and have some fun, as usual? That should take your time off these important thoughts since they don't really matter to you…" Jevil bowed before disappearing in a white flash again, and Kaos lowered his throne closer to the floor.

"You see that, Glumshanks? That is how you handle your minions," Kaos spoke, moving his chair around until his back was facing against the swirling Darkness fueling the station. "Soon, all of Skylands will fear and obey me, and the glorious reign of… Emperor Kaos… will begin!" The Dark Portal Master laughed evilly as flames shot up from behind his throne.


Marx was wandering around a large, crystalline prison island composed of the rarest metals around here. The adorable cosmic jester was walking around without his wings, floating over to trophies of the defeated Skylanders filling this place. They were all stuck in their battle poses, each standing on pedestals based around their elemental powers. A smile graced Marx's face as he looked upon these trophies. Just then, Jevil warped into the room, walking past the cosmic jester.

"Hiya, Jevil..." Marx greeted with a bit of a sour tone in his voice to the point where he wanted to gag considering he didn't see friendship as a way of cooperation. "I've been waiting for you to come back. How were the games?"

"They were great, great!" Jevil giggled, getting along well with the little clown even though the two haven't formally met and were just acquaintances during that time. "This realm is a major improvement compared to my little freedom. I've longed to embrace the day, day when the kings would release the bars caging the whole world, unaware there are other realms where I can do anything I set my mind to."

"Ah, so you kinda like stirring up trouble for the funsies, huh?" Marx asked. Jevil walked up to a pedestal in the darkened room, where he pulled out the brown snake he dug out from Motley Meadows.

"I've been having so much fun in this world considering I know no one is real," Jevil continued. "My whole life staying outside from the prisoners locked within has given me a sense of enlightenment: that being... no punishment has any lasting consequences as they aren't real, real." Marx glanced at the clown with a little bit of interest that everything is just a game, but there was still a lot of belief to be had.

There was a light flashing on the pedestal, and what looked like a bunch of multicolored snakes was laid out so the ends of their tails were touching each other, the different colors corresponding as followed from left to right: cyan, green, gray, red, blue, purple, and orange. Jevil placed the tail of the brown snake between the gray and the red, straightening the snake out.

Marx watched as the floating jester in front of him pulled out the Book of Dark Magic, flipping through the pages with his mittens before stopping and reading the ancient text written in the book. Jevil read in a language native only to the Skylands, which to creatures like Marx sounded like nothing but gibberish. However, he seemed to notice that the tails of the right serpents seemed to meld into each other like modeling clay, generating a red-and-violet aura in the process. As Jevil continued chanting, the snakes started to wriggle around and hiss, their jeweled eyes glimmering with the colors they represented.

"The person we need will start to obtain a bit of sentience to the point of speech and some form of manipulation," Jevil told the cosmic jester behind him without looking at him straight in the eye. "Through the power of the Darkness inside him, he will emerge…"

"To give us what we want?" Marx asked.

"Yes… and a bit of mischief too," Jevil replied with a smile on his face, closing the book he was holding. "We only need two more pieces until the Mask of Power is completed. But the Smashers will be out causing chaos, chaos among the villains. That way… once I meet up with them again on the second round, the REAL fun can begin."

Chapter 99: Trouble in Skylands - Part 2

Summary:

As the Smashers make their journey across Skylands in a race to stop the Sky Eater, they head to various locations such as the Cloudscraper Mountains and the Land of the Undead. But there's more to what lurks within the Sky Eater that bubbles inside...

Chapter Text

The fighters were flying through the cyan Rift, their vehicles dancing around each other within the turbulence of the magic transporting them to the Cloudscraper Mountains. Everyone was trying to hold onto their steering wheels and throttles as best as they could, trying their best to make it to the other side.

"Hey, Hat Kid!" Bowser called out to the alien child on Donkey Kong's Barrel Blaster. "How are you doing over there?" Hat Kid clinged on tight to the back cannons, trying her best not to throw up.

"I think I'm gonna be sick…!" Hat Kid groaned. "I didn't experience these kinds of… rough air currents ever since… I was sucked out into space by messing with the Mafia…!"

"Eh, it ain't so bad!" Sonic replied, resting his feet on the Flash Drifter's steering wheel and pulling out a peculiar, steampunk tablet from his blazer. Everyone on the team seemed to notice the blue hedgehog had one just now.

"Where did you get that?" Pit asked.

"Hugo was saving this for some Skylanders to save him and his pals, and he gave one to me while Alchemo passed out," Sonic answered, pressing a small red button on the side of the tablet. The device turned on, and Hugo's face could be seen on the screen.

"It's working!" Hugo spoke through the communicator. "Hey, guys! I've established a stable connection with the Skylanders!"

"Hi, Hugo," Sonic greeted. "Sup?"

"Here. Let me take a look at this doohickey," Flynn spoke through the device, taking it from Hugo. "Hey there, Skylanders. Hope you're doing okay over there without a little face-to-face with… yours truly." Cali pushed Flynn's face away from the video chat, holding the transmitter in her hands.

"Alright, Skylanders," Cali spoke through the device. "Looks like you're almost at the Cloudscraper Mountains!"

"Once you get there, remember to call the Cloudbreather Dragon with the summoning gong at the other side of town," Hugo reminded. "But be extra careful! Kaos and his forces have taken over the surrounding villages."

"Got it!" Banjo replied.

"We'll let you know once we get the information we need, alright?" Fox McCloud responded. "We'll come back soon." Sonic pressed the button on his steampunk tablet, ending the video chat, and he slipped it back into his blazer and put his hands on the steering wheel again.

"Alright, guys! We're gonna be re-entering the physical realm, so get ready and brace for impact!" Bowser told everyone, grabbing hold of the yoke on his Clown Cruiser. "You're all ready?"

"Ye-squi-wy (Ready)!" Clementine chirped, the music visualisation on the metal earcups of her headphones and on her shirt generating with the synchronization with the beat she was hearing.

"We're ready!" Kazooie squawked.

"Yeah! Let's go!" Ridley proclaimed, squeezing his gas lever at maximum. The Smashers pressed down on their gas pedals and gripping on tight to their wheels and yokes, hitting the brakes once the light at the other end flashed around them. The Land Vehicles were skidding across a cobblestone path before completely halting, the Air Vehicles were ejected into the air, and the Sea Vehicles landed into a nearby lake filled with lilies. The fighters driving all three of those types were looking around the mountainous islands, which were interconnected through bridges and cherry blossom trees. The overall houses had a strange look and feel of various Asian villages, but most of them were either burned down to the ground or flooded.

"Hey, Hat Kid," Ridley asked the sickened alien girl. "You okay?"

"...I think I swallowed my own puke…" Hat Kid gagged, woozingly falling onto Donkey Kong's back as the Barrel Blaster transformed back into a Rift Engine.

"Wow… what happened here…?" Banjo asked as he got off the Jinjo Jetski, catching the miniature Rift Engine as his vehicle vanished. "I mean, the architecture of the place looks good, but still..." A small, bipedal fox wearing Valkyrian armor ran up to the Smashers as they got off their disappearing vehicles, her face filled with hope masked underneath the expression that she doesn't know what's going on.

"Wow, real Skylanders!" the fox greeted. "Welcome to the Cloudscraper Mountains! My name is Nayu, and I'm here to tell you we've recently been conquered in the name of Emperor Kaos and have been… forced to serve him."

"Forced to serve him?" Sonic asked. Nayu yelped upon the fear that she might die if she didn't put on a happy face for her tyrannical ruler.

"I mean… willingly serve him. Happily. Please help us…" Nayu corrected before she whispered. "You can thank some clown named Jevil for that. He's flooded the town and has given the Dark Drow a chance to lay siege."

"Jevil, huh?" Fox asked. "Any idea where he is?"

"Right on top of the houses, houses, where I can see you lovely folk from a bird's-eye point of view," Jevil answered on a nearby rooftop. The Smashers looked up at the court jester and pulled out their weapons, ready to attack him again.

"Oh, relax, relax," Jevil giggled. "I'm not here to fight you, aren't I? I only set all this up for some entertainment. Thanks to the powers of the klondike infested in me, me, I had managed to block all the natural irrigation shafts beneath the village. A wide majority of the Cloudscraper Mountains has been transformed into an aquatic paradise, paradise! But I guess the Dark Drow mistook my leisure for domination and have invaded the domiciles at the higher peaks. I don't blame them, however. The flooding has limited any chance you have of reaching the Dragon Gong on the other side of the islands, and the footsoldiers Kaos has sent out would be assisted by me to make sure you never awaken the Cloudbreather Dragon to advance the game, game. I'm sure whatever excitement that will be joying in your heart upon this stay will be… very, very interesting." The jester vanished in a flash of light, supposedly disappearing into the surviving aspects of the decimated village.

"It seems like Jevil might make this mission more difficult than it needs to be," Mewtwo telepathized. "However, we must save these villagers from the forces of Kaos, no matter what. Banjo and Kazooie… you lead the Inkling and Ridley around the flooded parts of the city and take down the blockages damming the irrigation shafts. Bowser… you fly to the other side of the village and ring the gong. The rest of us will stay behind and clear these troops in order to reach the Cloudbreather Dragon. Does everyone understand?" The Smashers nodded in agreement, ready to get going with the mission.

"Follow us, guys!" Kazooie called out to the squid girl and the space dragon as Banjo tossed his Rift Engine into a nearby flooded area, the bear jumping into the seat of the Jinjo Jetski. Clementine, still having a strong sense of hydrophobia from all natural water resources with the fear they could be polluted with radiation, slowly dipped her hand in to make sure it was safe.

Ridley flew over the water and tossed his Rift Engine into it, landing inside the Phazon Hunter. The water displacement of Ridley's additional weight mixed with his vehicle splashed over Clementine before she tested the water for herself, annoyingly confirming the fact to her that it was not toxic. The Inkling threw her Rift Engine into the water next to the Jinjo Jetski and the Phazon Hunter, jumping onto the Salmon Devourer and giving a thumbs-up to her pals on land.

"Please… just go ahead and save us already," Nayu spoke in timidness. Bowser, Kirby, and Pit tossed their Rift Engines into the air, by which they jumped up into the air and landed in the seats of their vehicles. Bowser drove off in his Clown Cruiser, and Kirby and Pit followed him into the distance. Hat Kid rode on Donkey Kong's shoulders as he walked into the dry parts of the Cloudscraper Mountains while Sonic, Fox McCloud, and Mewtwo followed behind.

"Hey! It's the Skylanders!" a Dark Drow called out upon spotting the Smashers marching into the town.

"SuperChargers, no doubt!" another replied. "Sound the alarm!" A small Dark Drow elf picked up a large drumstick and rammed it into a nearby gong, which rang out across the village and alerted every Dark Drow away from the area.

"Be careful now!" Mewtwo warned the other three fighters, dancing around with his scythe floating around his body to attack the larger Dark Drow.

"Yeah, we know," Fox answered, pulling out his blasters and shooting the dark elves at the distance. "We've been facing plenty of enemies like these before. I don't think we need a reminder of how dangerous they are." While the group was walking across the bridges and streets that weren't flooded, Donkey Kong pulled out two barrels and began playing them like bongos so he could release powerful shockwaves to knock back the Dark Drow approaching them.

"You know what?" Sonic asked as he jumped to the middle of some Dark Drow wielding curved blades and performed a windmill breakdance. "We haven't been given codenames yet." Lightning clouds formed out of Sonic's shoes, knocking back the dark elves surrounding him.

"Codenames?" Hat Kid asked, hopping off Donkey Kong's back and performing a homing attack upon a couple of Witch Pitchers that ran into the fight.

"Yeah, you know… codenames that Buzz said we would use in our time in Skylands," Sonic replied, using a roundhouse kick to knock back more of the Dark Drow in front of the group. "We haven't even got any super-cool names, like Lava Lance Eruptor or Deep Dive Gill Grunts." The Smashers looked behind themselves to see a building toppled over behind them, and they saw a large group of Dark Drow archers getting ready to fire flaming arrows from small blimps emerge from the destroyed house.

"Whoopsie-doopsie," Jevil giggled, floating behind the blimps. "I guess I must have forgotten the fact that these elvish folk wanted to be let outside, so I was happy to oblige. And don't worry about your friends in the air, air. I'll be off to give them quite a scare." The jester floated off into the direction that the Sky Vehicles were flying off to, and the Dark Drow fired their arrows at the SuperChargers.

"Anyways: As I was saying, we should give ourselves some codenames," Sonic continued, kicking some of the Dark Drow off the bridge with his supersonic speed while Fox shot lasers at a few of the dark elves the blue hedgehog missed while Mewtwo and Donkey Kong attack the elves trying to ambush them from behind.

"Is this really important right now?" Fox replied, pulling up his reflector and bouncing the flaming arrows aiming at him. "This town is under attack, you know. I don't think we should stop and talk about the names we should be referred to."

"Oh, it's alright!" Sonic replied with a cocky attitude, kicking a pint-sized elf like a soccer ball for Hat Kid to whack with her umbrella. "I've been thinking about some names that can fit each other, as well as our own abilities. I'll go first with myself, of course. I'll think I'll go with…" The blue hedgehog got down on all fours before swinging his legs around his body in a circular motion, breakdancing with the flare move as electricity was building up in his legs.

"Thunder Tempest Sonic!" Sonic declared, sending lightning shockwaves at a bunch of Dark Drow, both on the ground and in the blimps.

The fighters piloting the Sea Vehicles were speeding across the water, diving beneath bridges while firing Jinjo-shaped bullets, orange ink, and harpoons at some incoming rockets piloted by some of the Dark Drow preventing them from getting to the blockages clogging the irrigation shafts.

"Here's one!" Kazooie called out, spotting a blockage marked with the emblem of the Dark Drow. Banjo piloted the Jinjo Jetski down into the water and began attacking the blockage until it crumbled into a bunch of rocks. The bear-and-bird duo gasped for breath as they re-emerged onto the surface.

"Next few blockages are just straight ahead!" Kazooie called out to Clementine and Ridley. "Let's move before this whole area drains." Banjo revved up his Sea Vehicle and drove off, and the Space Pirate dived down to attack another blockage while the Inkling surfed on the waves with her Salmon Devourer and attacked the incoming rocket-riding elves.

"Alright, guys!" Bowser called out to Pit and Kirby as he maneuvered his Clown Cruiser through the crags. "Looks like this trip's gonna be pretty easy."

"Easy? Easy?!" Jevil asked, attacking Kirby's Star Sparkler with a few spades. "How boring! How dull! I'll help the lot of you be rid of it all!" The pink puffball was at least glad he was moving fast enough so that the spades only nicked the tip of the Sky Vehicle's tail feathers, but Jevil was flying after them in hot pursuit.

"Ah, Bowser!" Pit called out, barrel-rolling through the various suit-based projectiles. "Jevil's on our tracks!"

"You don't think I notice?" Bowser asked, paying more attention to gunning down the Dark Drow blimps in front of him than the fact that joker was attacking them. "Try Improvising! That should get him off our backs!" As the three Sky Vehicles danced around the hearts and diamonds, Pit saw a large bronze gong decorated with two dragons breathing clouds imprinted in it - which also happened to be the Dragon Gong. The gong itself was several meters away, and Pit quickly flipped Viridi's Voice backwards and drove straight towards Jevil with his flower cannons armed.

"Hey, Bowser!" Pit called out to the Koopa King, swiveling around the clubs. "You and I are going to distract Jevil while Kirby rings the gong!"

"You go on without us, kid," Bowser told Kirby. "We'll be distracting this clown!" The Clown Cruiser turned around and began attacking the jester with Koopa red shells. Jevil quickly pulled out his scythe, spinning it like a fan in his hands to grind the shells into red powder. However, Pit began attacking him in the back, he and Bowser distracting Jevil from stopping Kirby as he drove his Star Sparkler towards the Dragon Gong.

The pink puffball drove faster away from Jevil as Pit and Bowser kept distracting him, diving straight towards the Dragon Gong. The gong rang out quite loudly, echoing throughout the mountainous islands. Kirby performed a sharp turn on his vehicle and flew back straight to the Koopa King and the angel, terrified by the roaring of the Cloudbreather Dragon waking up from his slumber.

The Cloudbreather Dragon was flying around in the sky upon answering the call of the Dragon Gong, his deepened roar deafening the ears of all who came close to his presence. The azure, winged beast was massive for his size, representing a mix between a western dragon and an eastern dragon as streaks of clouds generated from his back. He seemed as though he was struggling against magical violet reigns coming from the temple that created those clouds, attempting to defy resistance as hard as he could.

As Kirby was flying back to Bowser and Pit, the Dark Drow inside the temple on the dragon's back tried to fasten the reigns and keep the Cloudbreather Dragon in control. The dragon during his resistance slammed into Kirby's Star Sparkler, knocking the pink puffball out of his Sky Vehicle. As Kirby lashed his whip out to catch the tiny Rift Engine that the Star Sparkler transformed back into, he quickly swallowed it before he began riding across the scales of the Cloudbreather Dragon still flying in the same direction.

"Kirby!" Pit exclaimed, unaware that Jevil was about to use that situation as a distraction. He pulled out his scythe and slashed forward, knocking the angel off Viridi's Voice. Bowser slammed his fist on the control panel on his Clown Cruiser, blasting a bunch of red Koopa shells at the jester. Jevil left himself open during his attack, and he was knocked straight into one of the flooded areas of the Cloudscraper Mountains. The Koopa King dived down to catch Pit in his cockpit, with Pit's Sky Vehicle suspended in midair.

"We have to go and get Kirby!" Pit told Bowser, jumping from the Clown Cruiser and making his way back to his plant-covered hoverbike with the multiple jumps assisted by his wing-flapping. "He's riding on that dragon's back!" The angel drove Viridi's Voice straight to the colossal dragon, and the Koopa King's Clown Cruiser followed behind.

As Jevil's head emerged out of the water to take a deep breath of air, he quickly dived in when he saw the SuperCharger Smashers driving on their Sea Vehicles unknowingly coming his way to get the last blockage. The jester hid behind one of the algae clumps in the water, watching as Clementine attacked the last blockage with soundwaves coming from her Sea Vehicle's speakers. Once the Inkling drove back up to the surface, Jevil swam through the unclogged irrigation shaft to the bottom of the islands. The clown flew into the air, coughing up some of the water that got into his mouth and taking off his two-tone hat to wring the amount of Adam's ale that was soaked in.

Jevil had snow-white locks of hair that were rather messy, and a pair of typical, blueish-gray devil horns that poked out of the white tresses. The jester plopped the hat back onto his head before draining his cape, and he floated away from the Cloudscraper Mountains in general.

"Ah, what fun, what fun," Jevil laughed. "There will be a lot more fun where that came from. I guess the second round will begin, begin... when they get to the little freedom the old mentor is staying in."

The Inkling jumped off her Salmon Devourer onto one of the large wooden decks as the water flooding the village began to drain, with her Sea Vehicle transforming back into its Rift Engine form and floating into her hands. Banjo and Ridley hopped onto land as the water was draining, their Sea Vehicles turning into the Rift Engines and caught by their drivers.

"We gotta tell the other guys that we're done here," Kazooie told her pals, shaking her feathers dry. "Hey, Fox! Mewtwo! We've cleared out the irrigation system!" From a reasonable distance, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, and Fox McCloud were attacking more of the Dark Drow approaching them while Sonic and Hat Kid were going at their own pace and hitting the elves in front of them.

"...Oh, and maybe Ridley could call himself Terror Slash Ridley, and Donkey Kong can be named Turbo Charge Donkey Kong, and-"

"We better get onto that dragon's back," Fox told the blue hedgehog, grabbing onto his blazer and pulling him away as he saw the Cloudbreather Dragon fly around the other side of the town. "Let's go!" Donkey Kong tossed an explosive barrel at the Dark Drow in front of the group, and Mewtwo used his telekinesis to fling the elves chasing them down off the islands and popped the balloons lifting the blimps, with Hat Kid picked up by the Pokémon and carried along with him.

"Alright! The irrigation shafts are drained!" Sonic laughed, pulling out his Rift Engine and spawning the Flash Drifter before jumping in and revving the engine. "Let's get up on that dragon's back!" The blue hedgehog waited until Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, and Fox got into their Land Vehicles, with Hat Kid being placed between the Giratina's Quad's yoke and Mewtwo.

The fighters drove off to the unflooded areas of the Cloudscraper Mountains, with Banjo waving over for their pals to pick him and Kazooie, Ridley, and Clementine up. Mewtwo, Sonic, Fox, and Donkey Kong stopped their Land Vehicles so Banjo & Kazooie could get on the Barrel Blaster, Ridley got on the back of the Flash Drifter, and Inkling held on tight to the crystalline surface of the Land Master.

"Alright, so we're gonna be taking a ramp up to that Cloudbreather Dragon and get to that temple on his back," Fox told the SuperChargers as he and his comrades raced across the open ground across the islands. "We're kinda hoping the guys driving the Sky Vehicles can catch us flying through the air and we can all… regroup at the dragon's back."

"Hey, while we're driving there, can I ask you some of the codenames I came up with?" Sonic asked, drifting through enemy lines of Dark Drow while the kitsune villagers wearing Viking armor watched from the sidelines, cheering the Skylanders on. "I was thinking: for Banjo & Kazooie, maybe they can use… Clod Fist Banjo & Kazooie!"

"That sounds pretty interestin' for a name," Banjo noted. "Don't know what a clod is, though…"

"Um… Sonic's referring to a lump of clay, so we might have literal clay on our hands when they're more of a corundum source-" Kazooie corrected.

"We're taking the name!" Banjo interrupted in excitement, holding on tight to the back cannons of the Barrel Blaster.

"Keep your eyes in front of you and stay on track!" Mewtwo telepathized. "The Cloudbreather Dragon is flying below us. Get ready!" The fighters who didn't have their vehicles out clinged on tight to the Land Vehicles as the drivers drove off a slanted part sticking over the edge of the village, feeling the rough gust of wind blowing from the dragon as all four vehicles were about to land between the spikes running down the beast's back. The Barrel Blaster and Land Master landed on the azure scales, with Giratina's Quad and the Flash Drifter racing off at a faster speed than the other two.

At the temple between the dragon's wings, Pit parked his Viridi's Voice at the entrance with Kirby in his arms. Bowser landed beside him, with the both of their Sky Vehicles transforming back into their Rift Engines. Two foxes dressed in monk-like outfits ran up to the Smashers at a convenient timing, considering the fact there were plenty of Dark Drow fleets trying to tighten the reigns on the Cloudbreather Dragon itself.

"Thank goodness you've reached the Sacred Dragon Temple, Skylanders," the anthropomorphic kitsune pointed out. "These wicked Drow have captured the Cloudbreather Dragon. He can't struggle against these chains forever."

"And if he's gone… who's going to fill Skylands with clouds?" another fox asked. "The skies would be completely empty!"

"Oh geez…" Pit spoke in a heartfelt tone as he let go of Kirby. "Clouds are soft and fluffy. I can't imagine what a day would be like to not feel a single one of them…"

"Ech… quit your lamenting and let's save this dragon if clouds mean so much to you," Bowser replied, grabbing the angel's arm and dragging him up the short but large staircase to where the magical chains restraining the Cloudbreather Dragon were hooked up to the Sacred Dragon Temple.

Bowser smashed through the gate at the top of the stairs with his hammer, a fiery breath streaming through his nostrils as Kirby pulled out his barbed whip and Pit aimed his bow at the Drow troops on the wooden floor. One of the Rush Crushers marched over to the three Smashers, his violet eyes glaring with an annoyed attitude.

"I know what you guys are planning to do," the Rush Crusher snapped. "You just want to release this dragon from our trip? Well, I won't let you! Attack!"

"Guess we should have knocked, then," Bowser answered, gripping on tight to his mallet as he, Pit, and Kirby prepared to attack. The elves charged straight ahead, pulling out their weapons in an attempt to kill the Skylanders that intruded the temple they captured. Bowser began pulling out some red-shelled and green-shelled Koopas, whacking them with his hammer and having them bounce around on the floor while he breathed fire at the intruders.

Pit dislodged his bow, turning it into two separate blades and attacking the dark elves with rapid flurries. Kirby lashed his whip out at a Rush Crusher, wrapping him up in the rope and flinging him out of the temple, by which the collision between the Rush Crusher and one of the miniature blimps involved its balloon popping.

"Looks like one of them dropped a key," Pit told the pink puffball as he reassembled his blades back into a bow and began firing light arrows. "I think it belongs to the reigns holding the Cloudbreather Dragon hostage. Grab it! Quick!" Kirby noticed that a golden key was lying on the floor where a Rush Crusher was defeated, and he quickly inhaled a group of Pint-Sized Prodders and spat them out at some Witch Pitchers. The pink puffball nabbed the key with his whip, and he ran over to one of the two posts with the magical chains. Kirby managed to find a keyhole on the post to stick the key in, twisting it and loosening the first reign on the titanic dragon, which vanished as a result.

"What do you think you're doing!?" one of the Twilight Twisters asked in furious anger, grabbing the pink demon from the back and holding him by his squishy body. "Trying to loosen the beast? I don't think so!" Pit rushed to Kirby's rescue by using his Upperdash Arm, knocking the Drow elf with blades away from the pink puffball.

"No one… is going to harm those clouds… and our squishy friend Kirby!" Pit snapped, spinning around in circles and firing barrages of light arrows at the elves. Bowser was still whacking the tougher troops, surprised that the angel cared deeply about them both. The Koopa King felt a couple of Dark Drow elves attempt to claw his shell with their blades, but he simply tucked his head, arms, and legs in and spun around to knock them off.

Bowser stopped spinning the second he felt another golden key touch his shell. He quickly pulled his head and limbs out and grabbed the key, slamming a nearby Witch Pitcher hard in the face with his hammer. While Pit and Kirby kept the dark elves busy, the Koopa King marched over to the second pillar and rammed the key into the keyhole to get rid of the second reign, freeing the Cloudbreather Dragon.

Everyone on the top floor of the Sacred Dragon Temple stopped attacking as the gargantuan dragon looked behind himself and saw the evil elves that had enslaved him. The Cloudbreather inhaled a large breath of air, forcing Bowser to grab Kirby and Pit and duck near the walls before the dragon released a strong gust of cloud-filled wind. The Dark Drow was blown away, flying across the sky. The other fighters that arrived at the temple in their Land Vehicles watched the strong clouds blast above them as soon as they were just about to go in.

"They freed the Cloudbreather Dragon!" one of the kitsune monks rejoiced. "We're saved!"

"Guess we might get some answers," Ridley spoke. "Alright, Mewtwo. Do you still have that sock?"

"I never forget a thing," Mewtwo answered, activating his telekinesis to pull out the sock. The Land Vehicles that were parked near the entrance reverted back into their Rift Engine forms, floating into the hands of their drivers as everyone ran upstairs through the broken-down gate. Bowser, Pit, and Kirby got back up after crouching near the wall, and they were regrouped with their companions again.

"Look!" Hat Kid told the group, pointing out to the sky as the blimps flew by. "I think the elves are retreating!"

"They seemed to have surrendered after we saved those foxes and their dragon," Fox McCloud noted. The Cloudbreather Dragon himself gazed upon the SuperChargers in the temple on his back, willing to show gratitude to his saviors.

"Welcome, small ones!" the Cloudbreather Dragon spoke, his whiskers flowing across his face. "What brings you to the Temple of the magnificent Cloudbreather Dragon, which, of course, is me?"

"We come here asking for the whereabouts of the one you all call Eon," Mewtwo telepathized, pulling out the sock with his psychic powers embedded with the Dark Element inside him. "We hope this will be enough to suffice in what you need to locate him." The enormous dragon inhaled the scent of the sock through his nostrils, getting a good idea of the location of the wisest Portal Master to exist.

"Strange… This carries a foreboding stench…" the dragon replied.

"Hey! Don't look at me," Sonic objected. "I didn't even eat yet."

"We all didn't, Sonic," Kazooie pointed out. "Ever since we got here."

"Your Master Eon is trapped beyond the borders of the living," the Cloudbreather Dragon answered, puffing out clouds that shaped the location of the wonderous city. "In the Land of the Undead. But the way there is no easy task, oh no. It requires only the work of the Thunderous Bolt, located in the citadel of Skylantis, the Cloud Kingdom. It has the equivalent of ten jillion thunderbolts, the energy necessary to get there, while your Rift Engines only have about 2 or 3 jillion. I hope the information I have presented to you would be enough to push you to your destination."

"Hm… maybe with the Thunderous Bolt in our possession, we could have Mags upgrade our Rift Engines to take us there," Pit pointed out. "It might be the only way we could break Eon free."

"The only way?" Sonic asked, tossing his Rift Engine on the floor and bringing out the Flash Drifter. "Why can't we just head to the Land of the Undead regardless?" A fiery Rift opened up in front of the Flash Drifter, and Sonic drove straight into it. The Rift closed, but just a few seconds later, it opened again and spat Sonic and his Land Vehicle out. The blue hedgehog landed on his back beside his vehicle, by which it transformed back into its Rift Engine.

"Let me guess… something having to do with a barrier that only zombies and ghosts can go through unless we've got a special item?" Sonic responded for the Cloudbreather Dragon, not getting up as he looked at his friends while not rolling over his back. "Tsk… alright. Let's go get that bolt. To the Cloud Kingdom - away!"


The Smashers arrived at the city of Skylantis through a dark indigo Rift filled with stars and a black mist, which was filled with thick clumps of clouds covering its islands. However, there were patches of land poking out from the clouds that gave off the feeling of Roman architecture and lucious pastures.

"Wow… would you look at that?" Hat Kid asked, amazed by the design of the Cloud Kingdom as she walked alongside her friends once they got their Rift Engines from the disappearing vehicles yet again.

"It reminds me of Skyworld in a way… except without all this fog," Pit noted as he and the Smashers walked through the quartz bridges connecting the islands. The blue hedgehog walked in front of the group, trying to clear the fog as best as he could.

"Yeah," Sonic added, waving his hand in front of his face to blow away the mist. "It's so thick I can't even see the end of my nose." The blue devil bumped into something in front of him, causing him to land on his behind.

"Hey! Watch where you're standing!" Sonic snapped, he and his pals unaware of who he bumped into as the fog was still too thick. "We're walking over to get that Thunderous... Bolt..." The group heard the sound of a blower turning on, and they felt a large gust of wind blow away the fog over the small portion of the area they were currently in. Standing in front of the group was an armored, bipedal eagle-griffin with a jetpack to commemorate his lack of wings, a green-skinned elf with white eyes, wooden armor, and a gnarled cannon, and Lava Lance Eruptor.

"I believe you should be the ones apologizing to us," the masked birdman replied, twirling a strange vacuum in his talon-hand. "We're on patrol duty, and we've heard this place is stinking up with Kaos's presence. Codename's Hurricane Jet-Vac. And these here are my comrades: Super Shot Stealth Elf and Lava Lance Eruptor."

"Things have gotten a lot worse ever since Master Eon disappeared," Stealth Elf sighed. "We've got so many monsters and enemies we have to take care of. Do you mind telling us your names?"

"Stand aside, guys. I'm a master of conversation," Sonic spoke to the Smashers, licking his hands and rubbing them over his quills in one smooth streak. "Factomundo, my name is Thunder Tempest Sonic. These are the names of my pals that I… clearly and totally didn't make up just before we got here. Hammer Slam Bowser, Turbo Charge Donkey Kong, Clod Fist Banjo & Kazooie, Terror Slash Ridley, Copy Wizard Kirby, Mollusk Rave Inkling, Cyber Canid Fox, Imperial Paladin Pit, and Twilight Genesis Mewtwo. Oh, and there's also Hat Kid."

"Did you just pick those names for us without our permission?" Bowser asked the blue hedgehog.

"Just go along with it," the blue hedgehog softly replied as he held his grin, not moving his teeth as he answered the Koopa King.

"Hey, wait a minute… These are the guys I and Roller Brawl bumped into!" Eruptor told the two Skylanders upon sudden apprehension. "They're the guys who found some Rift Engines for their own!"

"Rift Engines?" Jet-Vac asked. "Let me see them. Just for analysis." The Smashers took out their tiny Rift Engines, handing it to the birdman as he studied the golden objects with a literal eagle's eye.

"Fascinating… the Rift Engines you have chosen have not only given you different elemental signatures, but they've also each completely shifted to a different element upon having been installed into your vehicles," Jet-Vac concluded, giving the Rift Engines back to their drivers.

"Yeah, we know," Fox noted.

"Vehicles that don't match the elements of their SuperChargers?" Stealth Elf asked. "This is quite some interesting information! Normally, when a Skylander is assigned the role of SuperCharger, they're also given vehicles to match their own elements. You guys are quite interesting. Come to think of it, I don't think any of us have seen you around before…"

"Well, they kinda came here through a Rift, from what I've heard," Eruptor made clear. "Just showed up. Now they're Skylanders, for whatever reason." Kirby, despite having the supposed mental state of a child, had a keen memory of what happened to Jet-Vac, and he tugged at Mewtwo's left hand. The Pokémon was well-aware of what the pink puffball remembered.

"...Hm… Just out of curiosity, Jet-Vac: were you a trophy upon death?" Mewtwo asked through telepathy. "I ask you this because Hugo mentioned something about you and a bunch of other Skylanders described as turning into plastic husks of your various battle poses upon death or defeat."

"I… think I was one of those," Jet-Vac replied. "I mean, I've heard the rumors, but I didn't expect them to be true…"

"Jet-Vac was the only one we managed to rescue before he was snatched away by Jevil like most of the Skylanders," Stealth Elf filled in. "As far as us few SuperChargers know, we don't know the whereabouts of where everyone else could be, or even if we know where Eon is."

"Well, we've recently visited the Cloudbreather Dragon, and he's told us your old man Eon's in the Land of the Undead," Bowser answered. "However, we apparently need some sort of Thunderous Bolt from the Cloud Kingdom in order to power our Rift Engines to like… 10 bajillion bolts or something…"

"So we need the Thunderous Bolt to power our Rift Engines to get to the Land of the Undead and break out Master Eon?" Jet-Vac asked. "That's rather easy. We just need to ask Queen Cumulus for that relic, of course. I'm sure she wouldn't mind."

"Speak of the devil…" Eruptor pointed out, seeing a figure behind Stealth Elf and Jet-Vac approach them through a thin portion of the fog. Both the veteran Skylanders and the Smashers saw the appearance of an aristocrat dressed in a golden-and-black dress floating towards them to greet them. Her skin was violet with a bronze tint, and the lower half of her body was nothing but clouds. Accompanying her were two guards wearing gladiator helmets and wielding partisans, having macho bodies colored blue and clouds to replace their legs.

"Welcome to Skylantis, Skylanders," the woman greeted. "My name is Queen Cumulus, and we welcome anyone with open arms… for the time being."

"For the time being, huh?" Jet-Vac asked. "Well then, Your Majesty. We're seeking out your permission for us to use your Thunderous Bolt to fuel our Rift Engines so we can go rescue Master Eon from the Land of the Undead."

"Oh, I would be happy to give it to you since you asked so nicely… if I had it with me and wasn't kicked out of my own villa," Queen Cumulus replied with nervous laughter in her voice at some parts. "You see… a funny-looking clown arrived and… promised us the pleasure of abandoning all morality for the sake of true freedom and safety from the underclasses if we gave in to… what I can assume was his ideology of madness. I guess you could say he was, um… kind of nihilistic. Naturally, most of us thought this was an absolutely horrid idea, but Lord Stratosfear… he's a bit more conservative. Had a… dissenting opinion. After taking the Thunderous Bolt for himself, he threw me out of my villa and declared himself ruler of the Cloud Kingdom, saying that storm giants should hold extreme prejudice against inhabitants of the lower realms. Just to rub salt in the wound, Kaos's forces arrived and, well… stormed Skylantis. No pun intended."

"Oy vey," Ridley groaned with irritation. "Sounds a whole lot like Jevil. Everywhere he goes, bad luck follows."

"Oh, is that the name of the jester? I assumed he would be someone like Jeffery or Archibald," Queen Cumulus added. "Well, if you need to find Stratosfear and get that scepter, I suggest you should clear out this fog first. It was created by Lord Stratosfear, and only our Stormhorns can blow it away temporarily. We're heading to the towers at the center of the kingdom and activating the Stormhorns there, but thanks to the Inflatrators and Storm Spawners occupying the town, it's becoming far more difficult. Aircrafts aren't going to help either since you're basically flying through a death trap. So you're pretty much walking on foot… unless you're brave enough to blast through troll-infested clouds."

"Thanks for giving us the scoop," Fox responded.

"We'll be clearing your town clear of these monsters!" Stealth Elf added.

"Thank you, mortals," Queen Cumulus blessed, curtseying in gratitude. Jet-Vac reached his hand out into the fog, taking out a clump from the thick clouds that it almost felt like cotton candy.

"So it looks like we're going to have to stick together," Jet-Vac explained. "Under my guidance, we should reach the city in no time."

"I don't know…" Fox objected. "Perhaps you might lead us astray either off an island or even worse… into enemy territory."

"Do you know about this place?" Jet-Vac asked with the utmost certainty that he might lose his status on protecting others before himself. "Have you been coming here every single day for the sole purpose of studying its architecture, as well as every street and corner? I suggest you rookies should follow us. Maybe you might learn a thing or two about being Skylanders." The birdman walked off into the fog, and the fighters followed behind the veterans. Everyone stuck close together as Queen Cumulus and her guards stayed behind.

"Psh. Who knew this guy could be a bit of an angry bird?" Sonic muttered, giving Hat Kid a piggyback ride and holding Kirby's stubby hand as they stuck close to their friends.

"Remember: if ever you get lost, try raising your voice," Stealth Elf pointed out. The Smashers jumped upon hearing lightning blast above them when they began walking through the fog, with Clementine shrieking and hiding in Banjo's backpack in her squid form.

"Hey, make some room in there," Kazooie told the frightened Inkling. "You're not the only one scared." Far off at the other end of the Cloud Kingdom, a small fleet of transport ships were leaving in and out of the entrance to a grand and splendid villa, which was decorated with quartz, olive vines, and Roman-like designs. A portly, pink-skinned storm giant wearing full-suited Roman military armor was standing outside, holding a bronze scepter with lightning streaming from the curved, lightning-shaped tip.

"Ah, it won't be long now before the forces of Kaos can establish peace upon the Cloud Kingdom," the storm giant declared, feeling the raw energy of ten jillion lightning bolts vibrate in his fingertips through the scepter. "Queen Cumulus, you just don't understand. Pessimism? What's so pessimistic on having freedom for all of Skylantis?"

"Apparently, the sovereign and her people would disagree otherwise, Stratosfear," Jevil answered behind the storm giant, surprising him ever so slightly without warning. "They're still not giving into my offerings and Kaos's, simply dismissing it as temptation, temptation." Lord Stratosfear pointed the Thunderous Bolt at the jester who was bearing that sharp-toothed grin of his.

"Just what exactly do you want, clown?" Stratosfear snapped. "This better not be yet another excuse to take that villa I was promised, you low-life vagabond."

"Relax, relax," Jevil chuckled, gently pushing the Thunderous Bolt away from his face. "I'm not here to take this residence, by which I remember clearly you stole from Queen Cumulus. She's planning to reclaim it and inflict unspeakable punishments upon you in what she declares as treachery upon her kingdom, and what's better: the Skylanders have arrived to take your Thunderous Bolt and complete the next stage to create a mutiny against Kaos, Kaos."

"...How is an uprising against Emperor Kaos better?!" Stratosfear asked, with some of the Roman-armored trolls and electric golems stopping work upon the transport ships sent to the different parts of Skylantis the second they heard the storm giant yell. "I don't want any more mortals immigrating to our kingdom, let alone Skylanders!"

"In times like these, the best course of action is to flee and live to fight another day. The coalition's arriving fast, and chances are they've got a plan. You best get out of here while you still can," Jevil finished, bowing at Stratosfear before disappearing through teleportation. Stratosfear was left with no other option.

"Send in as many trolls and golems as you can!" Lord Stratosfear ordered, by which Kaos's minions complied. "Make sure the earthlings never escape the Cloud Kingdom! I was born to rule the skies, and I will not stoop down to the levels of the lower classes!" The storm giant flew off to a nearby ship that looked like a glider with insect-like wings. As for the minions working for Kaos, they got into the ships and flew off into the Roman-esque parts surrounding the Cloud Kingdom.

"We must be close," Jet-Vac told the SuperChargers, using his vacuum-gun to blow away the fog in front of the group. "Any minute now we should be getting close to the transport ships."

"I don't think we need to bother you, but we've been in this spot three times in a row," Mewtwo telepathized.

"Three times?" Jet-Vac asked, thinking what the Pokémon was saying was something preposterous. "Don't be ridiculous. I have keen eyesight equivalent to that of most sky barons. I know where to go." The sound of the Stormhorns in the distance echoed across Skylantis, temporarily blowing away the fog so Jet-Vac could see that he and the group were standing next to a waterfall running down a blue mosaic, two storm giants of opposite sexes were playing a strange tiles game with various creatures native to Skylands, and potted plants in painted vases stood.

"See? We've found that couple playing Skystones over there, everywhere we go," Eruptor added. "Let's face it: we're walking around in circles."

"Yeah," Stealth Elf complied as the fog rolled in again. "The fog's so thick not even your eyesight can pierce through it."

"Not to mention you're relying on using that gun of yours, which won't help," Mewtwo added. "My telekinesis can help get us through the city and reach Lord Stratosfear."

"But you're still a newcomer," Jet-Vac objected, walking over to the Pokémon. "As a rookie, it's important to understand that there are dangers that you can never predict."

"But I am the most powerful Pokémon," Mewtwo replied through telepathy. "And I know when to sense danger and know where to go."

"It's still a new world for the likes of you!" Jet-Vac replied. "We're trying our best to keep you safe. Just let me lead the expedition and we can get the staff."

"Fighting is going to get us nowhere," Stealth Elf interrupted. "Why don't you both come to an agreement on what you can do to solve our way through this fog?" Lightning flashed in the air, striking down between Mewtwo and Jet-Vac. The fighters looked up to hear the evil laughter of Stratosfear riding on his large vehicle.

"Foolish mortals!" Stratosfear shouted. "Only Kaos can preserve the Cloud Kingdom, and well… you know, grant me that villa I've been planning to steal from Queen Cumulus for a long time. If you wish to harness the power of the Thunderous Bolt, then come and get it. Guards!" As the large ship flew away, the transport ships flew in and began releasing hordes of Meteo-Trollogists, Inflatrators, Storm Spawners, and Bitning Bugs surrounding the fighters. The Stormhorns from various parts of the city echoed throughout the Cloud Kingdom, blowing away the fog and revealing just how many of each enemy there was from several feet away. The couple playing Skystones noticed this and flew away into the fog, not wanting to get involved.

"That is a lot of bad guys," Hat Kid stated, getting off Sonic's back.

"Draw your weapons, Skylanders!" Jet-Vac commanded, pulling out his vacuum-gun. Stealth Elf held her wooden dagger cannon like a minigun and Eruptor formed a lance growth from his right arm. Everyone took out their weapons, with Sonic the only one having to resort to lightning kicks.

"Uh… I don't mean to alarm you guys, but I think the fatman's getting away with the Thunderous Bolt," Sonic pointed out as the large horde of monsters drew in closer.

"Not now, my spiky friend," Jet-Vac responded. "We're going to need a cold and calculated plan to charge through these enemies and clear out the fog.

"But Stratosfear will be gone by the time we get rid of all these monsters," Fox added.

"We'll just have to blast through them then," Mewtwo advised as the trolls and golems got closer. "I can use my telekinesis to push away these enemies."

"Hey, elf-lady?" Sonic asked.

"Stealth Elf," the green-skinned Skylander corrected.

"Sorry," Sonic apologized. "Anyways, I was wondering if you can help me push us all off."

"Are you crazy?!" Eruptor asked. "You're gonna kill us!"

"He's not," Ridley replied. "I think he knows what he's doing."

"Well, I think this is ludicrous," Jet-Vac agreed with the lava creature. "You're basically accomplishing suicide."

"Fighting all these enemies will only slow us down," Pit responded. "Don't you want to save Eon as quickly as possible? Don't you want to know how to stop Kaos?" Jet-Vac took the moment as one of consideration, all while the Skylanders tensed up their fingers as the golems, trolls, and lightning bugs charged straight at them.

"They're coming!" Hat Kid exclaimed, holding her umbrella like a sword in front of her face. Mewtwo raised his hands and stopped all the minions in the foggy area with his telekinesis powers, slamming them into the ground hard. Sonic quickly grabbed Stealth Elf's hand and dashed off to his right. As the blue hedgehog jumped, he propelled himself to the left with a midair jump from his boosted Air Boots, tossing Stealth Elf so she could knock the team off the island they were standing on with a push. Stealth Elf landed, starting to have second thoughts about this.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Stealth Elf asked the blue hedgehog as she was dragged along with the speedy hedgehog. "I don't think you thought this through!" Mewtwo and Ridley once again dove down with their gifts of flight to make sure their friends were alright. Everyone was falling from the sky at this point.

"What are you doing!?" Jet-Vac asked the blue hedgehog.

"I'm improvising," Sonic replied, becoming rather chill about this as he had his back facing the nonexistent ground.

"You've doomed us all, that's what you've done!" Jet-Vac snapped, quickly activating the jet-pack on his back.

"No, I haven't," the blue hedgehog replied, trying to use his enhanced sneakers to help him fly like the sky baron. "Kirby! Bowser! Anyone who's got a Sky Vehicle integrated into their Rift Engines, use them now!" Pit, Kirby, Bowser, and Stealth Elf all took out their Rift Engines, tossing them downward. The Clown Cruiser, Viridi's Voice, and Star Sparkler flashed back into existence, and when Stealth Elf threw hers, a strange helicopter made entirely out of leaves popped up. Banjo and Donkey Kong landed on the wings of the Clown Cruiser, Hat Kid got on Pit's lap as they landed on Viridi's Voice, Mewtwo used his telekinesis to lift Eruptor to the side of Stealth Elf's copter, and Fox hugged Clementine tightly to help them both land on the wing of the Star Sparkler.

Jet-Vac was at least lucky enough to throw out his Rift Engine below him, and he soon landed in the seat of his Sky Vehicle. The machine had the appearance of an eagle-stylized drone, with propellers on each two sides. Jet-Vac landed in the cockpit while Sonic used the jets on his shoes to slow down his landing on the vehicle's tail. Ridley and Mewtwo still flew on their own.

"Why would you do that?" Jet-Vac asked the blue hedgehog. "Don't you understand how dangerous that act was!?"

"I got impatient, okay?" Sonic answered in his usual rebellious attitude. "I didn't really plan anything. I just did it because this mission is one we can't waste anymore time on."

"Well, you should have been more careful about this, Sonic," Fox reassured, using his visor to track down Stratosfear's ship through the fog. "Now let's hunt down that crook and get that bolt." The Skylanders flew off into the mist, heading to the thinnest part of the fog so Fox could track down Lord Stratosfear escaping the Cloud Kingdom.

"We head to the borders of the city and cut Stratosfear off," Fox advised. "Don't let him and Kaos's forces get away." The Skylanders flew off as fast as they could, chasing down Lord Stratosfear as the Stormhorns around Skylantis blew away the fog to clear the skies. For a moment before the fog rolled in again, they saw Lord Stratosfear maneuvering his vehicle through the pillars and Roman-esque households and villas.

"There he is!" Stealth Elf called out, pointing out of her helicopter. "Thanks, fox guy. Now let's catch ourselves a storm giant!" Jet-Vac recognized the storm giant, and he piloted his glider straight for Stratosfear. As the group passed a few transport ships, four small gliders piloted by trolls emerged from the decks and chased down the Skylanders.

"Uh… we've got a bunch of funny-looking trolls at 5:00," Hat Kid warned as she crawled to the back of Pit's Sky Vehicle. "You might wanna get them off your tails first."

"I'll take care of 'em," Eruptor answered, holding onto the side of Stealth Elf's copter. His lance weapon melted back into his arm, and he shot a bunch of lava orbs out of it like projectiles. The lava orbs hit the gliders chasing the fighters down, and only two survived so the trolls piloting them would unleash rapid-fire lasers at the fighters.

"Alright, Hat Kid," Pit told the alien girl as he grabbed her by the waist and pulled her up front. "You take the wheel." The angel aimed his bow at the enemy gliders while Hat Kid held on tight to the yoke and drove Viridi's Voice like a scooter. Fox McCloud was trying to keep his balance on the Star Sparkler as Kirby flew across the cobblestone streets with the other Sky Vehicles.

"On your left!" Ridley shouted as he glided with the team, hacking out fireballs at Stratosfear's insect ship as they got close. Stratosfear was losing a bit of balance as his ship was trying his best to avoid the space dragon's fiery attacks. He looked behind to see Pit and Fox fire lasers at the two troll gliders, by which the trolls were forced to jump ship to avoid dying in the following explosions.

"You filthy peasants don't know who you're up against!" Stratosfear snapped, using the Thunderous Bolt to generate powerful bolts of lightning above him. "I, Lord Stratosfear, will strike you from the skies with the power of the Thunderous Bolt!" The lightning bolts flashed over the fighters, attempting to strike them as they quickly began moving around left and right while avoiding crashing into the town. Mewtwo threw out his psychic projectiles and scythe replicates to keep the rebellious storm giant busy.

"Hey, Jet-Vac," Sonic advised, clinging on tight to the sky baron's Sky Vehicle. "I want you to get me in close so I can pounce on the fat guy!"

"Pounce on Stratosfear?" Jet-Vac asked, quickly moving away to dodge a lightning orb. "Why on earth would you ever do that?"

"Just trust me," Sonic ushered, ducking below the leaf helicopter's leaf-shaped bullets that opened rapid-fire upon Stratosfear's ship. "I've dealt with stuff like this before." The birdman, feeling curious as to how the young one riding on his Sky Vehicle, stopped his drone-like glider so the blue hedgehog could jump off. Sonic launched himself straight at the pink storm giant, with the Thunderous Bolt's orbs flying past him.

"Hey, Patrick!" Sonic shouted, mocking Stratosfear's appearance. "Heads up!" The blue hedgehog raised his right leg high, slamming an electrical axe kick onto Stratosfear's head. The storm giant was knocked back to the front of his vehicle, having noticed his glorious mohawk galea was dented.

"Uh, whoops," Sonic chuckled, having struck a landing on the storm giant's vehicle. "Guess I meant to aim for your ugly mug." Stratosfear tore off his dented helmet to reveal a balding head with fluffy-white hair like a laurel crown, and he swung the Thunderous Bolt at the blue hedgehog. Sonic quickly ducked underneath the scepter, trying to avoid the lightning strikes the mystical weapon unleashed.

"All those who are born among flesh will perish under the inhabitants of the Cloud Kingdom!" Stratosfear snapped, trying to hit the fast hedgehog. "Together, we will rise like a storm and strike down upon the likes of those in the mortal realm!"

"Y'know, I don't mean to offend anyone, but… you're pretty into this whole thing about preserving your native colony, aren't you?" Sonic asked, kicking with his feet and attacking Stratosfear from different directions. "I mean… you kinda have standard ideals: get rid of anyone that ain't your kind. But here's the thing that bugs me: if you're against anyone with flesh and bones setting foot into your city because you believe this would break the status quo of your society, why do you allow trolls and golems to roam your city and take any offending storm giants captive? I get that you're racist and all, but isn't it a little hypocritical that trolls, who are technically made out of flesh, don't get any punishment whatsoever?" Stratosfear grabbed Sonic's fist as the blue hedgehog was about to punch his face, and he threw the blue hedgehog onto his back. The storm giant aimed the Thunderous Bolt at the speedy devil's neck, electricity crackling across the brass metal.

"Only Kaos can accomplish this task of true freedom among all storm giants!" Stratosfear answered. "Nothing will stand in his way until he gets what he wants!" Before Stratosfear could stab Sonic with the Thunderous Bolt, the blue hedgehog gripped tight to the metal and absorbed the lightning spiraling through it. His quills and irises began to glow with blue lightning, spreading fear into the storm giant pinning him down.

"Give our condolences to the big-headed wimp then!" Sonic replied, pushing the Thunderous Bolt away from him. Bowser's Clown Cruiser shot out a Koopa shell that knocked off one of the wings keeping Stratosfear's ship in midair, and Sonic used that turbulence to grip tight to the Thunderous Bolt and kick Stratosfear in front of him. The blue hedgehog slashed with the scepter in one clean strike, knocking Stratosfear onto some sort of dirt road below him and the other SuperChargers. Both the pink storm giant and his vehicle crashed into the dust, and Sonic jumped off his back and landed on his feet.

"Oh my… you actually did it," Jet-Vac noted, slowly piloting his Sky Vehicle close to the ground and parking it.

"Heh-heh… we may be rookies in your world, but we're clearly veterans in ours," Mewtwo telepathized, he and Ridley landing on the dirt track as the other Skylanders parked their Sky Vehicles. They all walked up to the blue hedgehog as their vehicles disappeared, who had the Thunderous Bolt in his gloved hands.

"That's impressive…" Stealth Elf remarked. "We actually have something that can help us find Master Eon!"

"Yep, and taking it from that pink tub of lard was easy-peasy," Sonic responded, looking down at Kirby and quickly realizing that he might have offended their squishy friend. "I was talking about the Stratosfear guy. Don't worry, Kirby." The fog surrounding the Cloud Kingdom began to slowly clear, along with Kaos's forces retreating in their transport ships, and the storm giants gathered around where Stratosfear landed. Queen Cumulus arrived with her guards, who had taken captive of the trolls that failed to get away.

"The victory is yours, Skylanders," Queen Cumulus expressed gratitude towards. "As a token of the eternal gratitude of the Cloud Kingdom, please… take the power of the Thunderous Bolt and use it to your advantage against Kaos and his forces."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Stealth Elf replied, bowing with her hands in front of her face before pulling out a steampunk tablet from her pockets and turning it on. "Buzz? We've got the information we need to find Master Eon!"

"Information?" Buzz asked, trying to figure out how to use the video chat. "This better be good."

"Well, thanks to a group of new Skylanders, we've managed to get Queen Cumulus's permission to use the Thunderous Bolt to boost our Rift Engines so we can get to the Land of the Undead! Master Eon is trapped in that realm, and we need Mags to power them."

"Aight, I'm gonna let Mags know you're comin' back," Buzz responded. "Good luck out there, folk." The video chat ended, following the queen floating over to Stratosfear, who was trying to crawl away.

"As for you, you treacherous cretin," Queen Cumulus told Stratosfear. "You are relieved of your duty as captain of the royal guard. As punishment… you are under arrest." One of the storm giant guards dragged Stratosfear up, cuffing the pink storm giant's hands in front of his chest.


Back at the Skylander Academy, Mags was walking over to a special platform set she made, with the Thunderous Bolt floating in front of a special wrench she was holding. She was wearing a magenta welding mask to shield her face from the raw energy the scepter bore. The Smashers, Hat Kid, Flynn, Cali, Buzz, and Skylanders Jet-Vac, Eruptor, Pop Fizz, Stealth Elf, and Roller Brawl were all standing beside the contraption.

"Make way, people!" Mags advised. "High-voltage weapon comin' through! Cover your peepers!" Buzz opened up a small hatch for Mags to put in the Thunderous Bolt, and once the scepter was inside he shut it and covered his eyes alongside Cali. Hat Kid pulled her hat over her eyes, and the Smashers and Skylanders all did the same. Flynn and Pop Fizz were the only ones who didn't get it until the last second, with the former shielding his eyes before a flashbang and the latter experiencing the temporary blindness for himself. Electricity crackled around the contraption and powered it completely.

"Alright, people," Mags told the SuperChargers. "Gimme all your Rift Engines so I can supercharge 'em with the power of ten million thunderbolts!" Everyone opened their eyes, with Pop Fizz dazed out by the flashbang.

"Mommy…? Is that you?" Pop Fizz asked as Stealth Elf reached into his pouch and pulled out his Rift Engine. She then took out hers, and so did Roller Brawl, Eruptor, and Jet-Vac with theirs. Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Bowser, Clementine, Donkey Kong, Ridley, Kirby, Fox McCloud, Pit, and Mewtwo were happy to oblige as well. Mags collected all the Rift Engines they have, and she walked on over to her own invention.

"Now this is a delicate procedure to power up all them Rift Engines and recalibrate 'em," Mags explained. "After I'm done with yours, I'll then move on to the rest layin' around the place. By that point, you'll make it inta the Land of the Undead no problem! While I'm chargin' em one at a time, why don't you get a tour around the Academy? See whatcha can find?" Everyone walked off to go do their own thing, with the Smashers ready to explore the island.

"I suggest everyone should go ahead and train before we head out to the Land of the Undead," Jet-Vac advised. "That place is not another walk in the park. Chances are it's going to be heavily-guarded once Kaos and his subjects find out we're here. So I suggest you all suit up."

"Hey, Cali? Do you know where Alchemo is?" Hat Kid asked the feminine Mabu.


Alchemo was on another memory trip, only it was taking place at night underneath a bright moonlight. He went alone via a small airship despite Eon telling him he needed to learn about teamwork. Alchemo did this because he didn't want to risk anyone getting hurt, and besides: he was so quiet nobody would notice him. He was hiding behind one of the trees that was located far into the Outlands, carefully watching as Kaos, Glumshanks, the Doom Raiders, and Jevil arrived in a larger ship.

"Well, here we are," Kaos spoke. "A location I have frequently visited ever since I was banished to the Outlands by that old fool Eon: one of the last remaining Traptanium mines. The sources we'll be using here will be perfect in constructing the weapon that will take over Skylands! And I require everyone to hear about it, including that clown we brought into my army. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you… the Sky Obliterator!" The Dark Portal Master presented the Doom Raiders some scribbles and crud drawings of some sort of strange gun. As usual, no one was impressed, and Jevil still kept that grin of his.

"Gulper can draw bad, but not as bad as this," the Gulper replied.

"I can't even make sense of this," Dr. Krankcase replied. "How exactly are we going to find the right materials necessary?"

"Just use your imaginations, people!" Kaos snapped in an angry tone, throwing the pages. "Don't you see what I'm going for?"

"Hm… nope," Luminous answered. "Can't say any of us recognize them." As the Doom Raiders were talking about how Kaos's plan sucked, Alchemo watched as Jevil quickly opened the Book of Dark Magic to one of the pages in the book, giving off an idea-filled smile as he slipped the book back into his outfit before anyone noticed. Alchemo seemed to notice this, and whatever Jevil found in Kaossandra's book was in no way good.

"That's because his plan is never going to work, work," Jevil advised. "You can always just… eat up the sky. I'm sure the resident here would bid it buh-bye." The Doom Raiders looked behind themselves to hear what the floating jester had to say about all this.

"What are you saying?" Kaos asked.

"I think I've heard the rumors that there's a bit of magic inside each island that helps them float and makes Skylands… Skylands," the Golden Queen noted. "However, I don't necessarily think this is a good ide-"

"That sounds like a great plan!" Kaos proclaimed, interrupting the Golden Queen. "However, I don't exactly know what design to use."

"Oh, that would be easy, easy, if you would just learn to use the gray matter infested in your comically large head," Jevil laughed, floating behind Kaos. "As for me, I figured out the perfect design. Now watch this, boisengirls!" The jester pulled out his hand, blowing with an icy breath to create a glacian pillar. Jevil then spawned in a bunch of spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs to hack away at the ice using only his head. As soon as the snow settled, the villains on the team looked with amazement at a strange, robotic face that would soon be the concept model for the Sky Eater.

"I knew you'd be surprised," Jevil spoke in his usual Chesire grin. "It'll even be a bigger size."

"A bigger size…" Kaos repeated, pulling out the vial containing the darkened magic. "Then it's settled! We'll be using that face as an ultimate vacuum to suck out all the magic in Skylands, proving once and for all that I, Lord Kaos, am not to be trifled with! And with this - the last remnant of the Darkness - I will finally claim all that I deserve: the complete and utter destruction of Skylands!" Normally, the Doom Raiders would be on board with this, but for whatever reason they began to grow a little worried about the whole ordeal. Glumshanks himself was rather cautious about this plan.

"I suggest we should start mining these resources to start with the skeleton of the machine," Jevil advised, pulling out his scythe. "With the Devilsknife in my hands, I will help you lovely folks accomplish the task, task." Soon enough, Kaos and his minions got to work mining from the walls of the mine. Kaos was often slacking off and forcing Glumshanks to do most of the work, while Jevil began to read a little deeper into the book when no one was watching. Most of the time, Jevil would just disappear for hours at a time.

Once in a while, during his spying hours, he would often be following Kaos and his companions to different locations of the Outlands, watching as they gathered a legion of trolls and Drow elves to help build the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction. Every time Alchemo returned to the academy to tell the Skylanders what he saw, they would go off and try to put an end to Kaos's plan before it was even put into action. Alchemo then began to realize more and more of the Doom Raiders began to act differently, in that they act like they don't want to tell something. It all started with the Gulper and Chompy Mage, but slowly more and more Doom Raiders began to change, and more and more Skylanders have never returned to Skylander Academy.

Three months had passed, and the Sky Eater was near completion. The trolls were working faster than ever, and Kaos, Glumshanks, and the Golden Queen were watching the armor being assembled from on the ground.

"That's strange," the Golden Queen noted. "Normally, my own subjects would be around to witness this."

"Who really needs to pay any attention to them?" Kaos asked. "My dreams of conquering Skylands are just about to come true! Once it's done, I'll be hooking up the Darkness to the Doomstation and get rid of the Core of Light once and for all." The Golden Queen was starting to get highly suspicious about Jevil after noticing he wasn't even around to witness the idea he suggested. The jester was a bit of a loner, so it would make sense that he would often do things alone. However, he tends to disappear out of nowhere.

"...Hey, Kaos?" the Golden Queen asked. "When was the last time you've seen Jevil?"

"Last I remember, he said he was heading to Cloudcracker Prison to get some more Traptanium to fuel the Sky Eater," Kaos answered. "You're welcome to drop in on him while he's working." The Golden Queen walked off past the rock Alchemo was hiding in, and she stopped when Glumshanks grabbed her arm.

"I feel like this Jevil guy is starting to get really suspicious," Glumshanks whispered, confirming that he knows something isn't right with that clown. "I mean, not even the evilest of evil minds would just… get out and vanish for who knows how long. At least he's taking care of any and all intruders, but even then I don't know where he puts the defeated husks of the Skylanders..."

"I know," the Golden Queen replied, pushing Glumshanks's hand off her shoulder. "The Doom Raiders have vanished, and I think I know why. It's like this creep doesn't want anyone to find out on a secret experiment… he's been working on…"


Alchemo woke up in bed, having felt like he had some sort of fever. He was all alone in a small room, looking outside the small window above his bed. How long had he been out? It felt like it had been three days, at least. Or was it an hour…?

"Ugh… my head," Alchemo groaned, feeling a little better after the migraine he got. "I wonder if there's anyone around here…" The young cadet left his room, wandering around the cobblestone hallway. He managed to get to the main library, where he found Sonic reading a few books from the shelves.

"Oh, you're awake," Sonic noted upon seeing Alchemo walk on the floor below him. "Guess you're feeling better already?"

"Yeah," Alchemo replied. "Mags and Pop Fizz said there would be at least three migraines, and I've already got two so far."

"Hope you're ready for the third one by then," Sonic noted. "What memories did you recover this time?"

"Nothing much," Alchemo answered, adjusting his big glasses. "Just remembered I was spying on Kaos in the Outlands, and Jevil… he found an idea from that book which was stolen by Kaossandra. He suggested that they should build the Sky Eater. Weeks seemed to fly past me, and I was watching each and every Skylander that was sent out by Eon regarding my discoveries to halt construction. Everyone that left never returned. The Doom Raiders began to act differently too, leading me to believe that things are becoming… odd with Jevil around. I'm beginning to have my suspicions about that clown."

"Same here," Sonic replied, looking through the book he was holding for anything interesting. "Hey: how exactly did you get here into the Skylander Academy?

"Well, I'm from a village that lives relatively close to a bunch of islands filled with those of the Undead Element," Alchemo described. "Despite the coincidence, my species tends to ignore any signs of paranormal activity, even though they're pretty xenophobic and there's evidence I'm confirming right in front of their eyes. So… that's how Master Eon found out the potential I had on using alchemy to stop paranormal activity as best as I can…"

"Interesting…" Sonic noted. "You know, I've been getting in the roughs with some paranormal activity too. I've recently learned that the stories anyone remembers right now can be wiped out. Just like that. But… maybe it might be for a good reason. Maybe you've gone through so much there's no way for you to recover any resemblance you might have outside of a few hints of a past you've long-forgotten. Like there must be something that's forcing people to keep a story you're in going. It's far too late to reset everything, so… I've basically learned that at some point, not everything is evitable. The truth is… I always knew something was fishy ever since I encountered my familiar spirit. A guy with unyielding knowledge. They may not have the ability to change everything, but they can pull out details deemed unnecessary and possibly broken. Maybe as a way to respond to someone… greater than them. Someone who's listening to our conversation right now…" Alchemo was confused on where the blue hedgehog was going with this idea, and Sonic realized this too.

"Hey: I understand how lonely you must be, and trust me: I've felt the same too ever since I arrived in another realm called Arcadia," Sonic continued, lowering the book he was holding. "I was scared that I was alone. But then I realized that friendships can come in place where you least expect them. Truth be told: many guys we face nowadays can't do anything without teamwork, because teamwork requires trust and deep friendships in those you might not be familiar with. And that's what matters."

"Thanks for your words of wisdom, I guess," Alchemo noted. "What are you reading there?"

"This? Oh, it's just something about the history of your worlds, like what the Skylanders faced off against when confronting Kaos. But whenever I look through the pages about the Portal Masters, I can't help but feel like they're missing some important information," Sonic added. "Like they want to forget… just as much as me… Anyway, wanna head outside and rescue Eon? I got a good feeling our Rift Engines are supercharged with the Thunderous Bolt's powers already."

"Of course I am," Alchemo replied, pulling out a couple of potions from his waist. "I think it might be a while till supposedly my last migraine, so I've got time."

"That's the spirit!" Sonic laughed, putting the book back on the shelf and zipping to the outside of the academy. Alchemo followed him without another word. A black spider slid down on a string of web, watching the two Skylanders run out. That spider belonged to Jevil, no doubt.


The fighters and Hat Kid grouped up with the SuperCharger team waiting for them at a large wooden dock decorated with a couple stacks of crates. Mags had just finished charging the last Rift Engine, and all the vehicles the SuperChargers owned were already lined up at the deck, with Flynn's ship parked next to them.

"Now, you're the best chance we've got at freeing Master Eon from his prison cell," Buzz spoke, standing on the sidelines. "Your vehicles should be all recalibrated and charged for the trip to the Land of the Undead. Flynn, Cali, and Hugo should all be going with you. Understand before I dismiss y'all?"

"We understand clearly, Buzz!" Stealth Elf answered, saluting the Mabu veteran. "And we will come back in one piece and free Master Eon." The green elf entered her leaf-copter, and the rest of the Skylander veterans got into their respective vehicles.

"You sure you guys are ready to head out?" Flynn asked as Hugo and Cali got onto the ship he was going to drive. "We can take all the time we need. Maybe get a snack or two… Today's meatloaf day!"

"Poyo poyo poyo… okay if scared… poyo" Kirby replied, trying to fight his speech impediment as he hopped into the cockpit of his Star Sparkler while Hat Kid and Alchemo held on tight to each wing.

"I think Copy Wizard Kirby's right… probably," Cali told Flynn as the Smashers got into their respective vehicles. "It's okay to be a little scared. None of us want to go to the Land of the Undead."

"Hey! I'm not scared! I just happen to like a good meatloaf! Sheesh…" Flynn replied in order to mask his fears, walking over the wooden plank to get to the ship.

"The Land of the Undead must be where those transport ships were taking us," Hugo added. "I bet Count Moneybone must have built some kind of terrible prison there…"

"I guess that means Master Eon might not be the only prisoner," Jet-Vac advised. "Are you ready to move out?" The Skylanders replied by revving their engines, with Sonic giving out a thumbs-up. Roller Brawl's Rift Engine in her vehicle opened up a Rift to the Land of the Undead, and all the SuperChargers drove in with Flynn piloting the ship through it. As the Rift vanished with everyone that drove through it, Mags walked up to Buzz.

"Do ya think they're gonna make it back in time?" Mags asked.

"I hope so, otherwise they'll have me to answer to," Buzz answered, limping back to the Skylander Academy. "By the way, how's that Core of Light holdin' up?"

"Still working like a charm, even after we moved it here!" Mags replied.

"Yeah, I hope so…" Buzz noted. "Because if anythin' ever happens to that Core of Light like the last time Kaos got involved, things are gonna get dead serious when that there darkness engulfs everything. Hope it ain't as bad as when the Nightmare King attacked…"

"What d'ya say?" Mags asked.

"Nothing, nothing," Buzz dismissed. On the other side of the island, a strange green dome with a light pillar emerging from it was left unguarded. Few of Jevil's spiders living in the academy approached the Core of Light, serving as the jester's eyes for investigating what to do.


"Uh… call me my usual crazy, but this place doesn't look like what they advertised on TV," Pop Fizz pointed out, scratching his head. He and everyone who went through the Undead Rift could see from their vehicles and ship that the Land of the Undead was coated in an eerie fog, with a massive castle-like building with rusty machinery all around it. Islands with cobwebs and bone gates were randomly scattered across the place, with television screens filled with static floating around.

"Yeah," Flynn pointed out, holding some sort of paper flyer in his hands that had Count Moneybone's face printed over among some large words that described the Dehabilitation Center as some sort of paradise that helps prisoners see things from a different perspective. "You'd expect the place to be sunny and have a bit more… green."

"Who cares what the place looks like?" Bowser added. "Look: let's just break into the place, get the prisoners and your Eon guy out, and escape from the Land of the Undead."

"But… how do we get everyone out?" Alchemo asked, getting off Kirby's vehicle. "The place could have extremely tight security, and Moneybone is no pushover."

"Maybe we can ask the locals who aren't prisoners for some advice," Banjo replied, getting off his Jinjo Jetski while Kazooie adjusted her body inside the backpack. "If there's anyone around…" The bear rested his elbow on a nearby barrel, and once the lid began to move he and Kazooie jumped in shock. A small gray fox wearing glasses and a simple brass helmet popped out.

"Special Agent 321, Designation Softpaw at your service and reporting for duty!" the gray fox proclaimed. "I am so sorry for the inconvenience, but I have seemed to notice you have stumbled into the Land of the Undead without a proper plan."

"Thanks for the clarification, little guy," Pit added, slipping off Viridi's Voice as the other Skylanders hopped out of their running vehicles, with the Mabu trio staying in the ship. "We could really use one of those right now."

"So just fork over anything you've got, like a map, per say…" Ridley asked. "It would be the best of help right now."

"Luckily for you, I've got just what you need!" Softpaw replied, pulling out a rolled-up map and giving it to Jet-Vac. "I've been spending months in Count Moneybone's detention center and mapping out the best course of action to take during your sabotage on the place."

"I kinda noticed these Skylands are full of conveniences," Bowser noted as Jet-Vac, Roller Brawl, and Hat Kid analyzed the map. "It's probably me, though."

"Perspective Gates…?" Jet-Vac asked as he read the map before Flynn cleared up.

"I think according to this flyer, these Perspective Gate thingies alter gravity depending on where they're set up," the Mabu pilot explained, reading from the flyer before Cali pushed it down.

"Affirmative," Softpaw responded. "You can use these gates to sneak past Moneybone's defenses. I'm sure you can figure out a way to rescue everyone, Master Eon included. Softpaw, going dark." The gray fox ducked into his barrel, rolling off the island and disappearing.

"Alright," Jet-Vac explained to the Skylanders and Hat Kid. "If we all work together on this, we can save everyone trapped here. According to this map, there's a main control room that operates all the prison cells, and it's located below the Dehabilitation Center. However, there's going to be water flooding the pipes, so I advise anyone with Sea Vehicles to take the pipes. Anyone have any Water, Magic, and Dark Rift Engines?" Pop Fizz raised his hand, and so did Banjo and Kazooie, Ridley, and the Inkling.

"Good, good," Jet-Vac continued. "Pop Fizz, you're in charge of piloting the Soda Skimmer through the water and clearing out any gunk clogging the pipes on the way there."

"You can count on me!" Pop Fizz exclaimed. "Meltin' gunk's my specialty!"

"Once all the prison doors are opened, I and Stealth Elf will be driving the Jet Stream and Stealth Stinger respectively, protecting any prisoners escaping. Flynn, Hugo, and Cali will be circling around and wait until we get back. Anyone with Air, Life, and Light Rift Engines will be helping us get the prisoners to safety. As for the rest of you… I don't know what to make of how you can use your Land Vehicles."

"The Land of the Undead is kept under a watchful eye at all times," Hat Kid pointed out. "There's a chance you guys could get caught and the mission will end in failure."

"How about we distract the security while you guys do your thing?" Alchemo advised. "That way, everyone gets out safely, including Master Eon."

"And how exactly are you going to do it?" Stealth Elf questioned. "We know these skeletons won't open the doors to anyone, let alone Skylanders."

"Which is why the rest of us guys will be using the only tactic we've got: breaking and entering," Sonic answered with a sly look on his face.


The SuperChargers that had Land Vehicles were soon driving across a ragged road, and Alchemo and Hat Kid were holding on tight to the roof of Roller Brawl's Tomb Buggy. There was a large prison door at the end of the road, behind a large ramp-like hill. Everyone knew this was the main way into Count Moneybone's detention center, so they rode off the ramp and broke through the door like it was made out of chocolate. They soon landed on a wooden pathway, driving across ramps and bridges while they passed multiple cages hanging from the ceiling.

"So… what now, genius?" Eruptor asked Sonic, drifting his Burn-Cycle close to the Flash Drifter. "I've got a bad feeling you didn't exactly plan this through."

"You're right," the blue hedgehog answered. "I didn't. Which is why we'll be using ourselves as bait so the rest of our buddies can get everyone out of here!"

"For a prison, you might expect they could sound an alarm or something," Roller Brawl pointed out. As soon as the vampireress said so, a loud alarm blared throughout the prison, and several skeletons driving buggies and gliders were chasing the SuperChargers from behind.

"Please pull over and put your hands in the air," a robotic feminine voice called out to them.

"You were saying?" Hat Kid asked.

"I will take care of them," Mewtwo advised through telepathy. "Don't worry." The Pokémon used his telekinesis to drive his Land Vehicle while he used the move Shadow Ball upon a ramp hanging above the guards chasing them down. The chains snapped, crushing all the enemy vehicles below it.

"Nice work!" Fox cheered, aiming his turrets at a couple of gliders attempting to gun the Skylanders down. "For now, let's keep the police force distracted and get to Eon." The residents of Skylands that were trapped in their cells up and down and all around were happy that someone came to their rescue, and they cheered the Skylanders on.

"Lights!" Alchemo called out, having instantly noticed that there were spotlights ahead of them. The blue hedgehog drove through the spotlights since he was ahead of the group, changing their color from yellow to red. The turrets integrated into the spotlights fired heat-tracking missiles at the blue hedgehog, attempting to target the blue hedgehog. Everyone else took a nearby ramp to avoid the spotlights just in time, and Sonic quickly noticed that.

"Uh oh," Sonic noticed as he looked behind himself. Everyone jumped off the ramp back onto the track throughout the detention center, and Eruptor drove in and skewered all the missiles with his lance-appendage and ate them before they exploded inside his lava belly.

"Thanks for the save, pal," Sonic thanked Eruptor. "How are you feeling?" Eruptor said nothing and let out a small burp of smoke. More gliders flew to the front of the group and attempted to fire lasers at them, but in the end they were gunned down by the Land Vehicles they were trying to destroy. While all the chaos among the guards was ensuing, Mewtwo began to hear a faint voice calling to him from inside his head.

Skylander… hurry!

The voice was rather quiet, but the Pokémon could hear it quite clearly, even through all the static he was hearing. Mewtwo tapped into his psychic powers to hear the distress call.

Follow the path…! Save me from Kaos's iron grip!

"I know where they're keeping Eon!" Mewtwo telepathized. "Straight ahead is a large building. If we continue driving, we'll end up at the topmost floor."

"Then let's move!" Sonic exclaimed, slamming his foot on the gas pedal and speeding off. The other Skylanders followed him through all the security that was guarding the Dehabilitation Center.


Ridley was leading the way through the sewage pipes, which was entirely flooded underneath so much water. The Space Pirate used his Phazon Hunter to light the way through the large system, and he looked behind himself to make sure Banjo-Kazooie, Clementine, and Pop Fizz were alright. The Jinjo Jetski and the Soda Skimmer had magical bubbles around themselves and the other two Sea Vehicles since the Phazon Hunter and the Salmon Devourer were not of the Magic Element.

"Are you sure you know where to go?" Pop Fizz asked. "I don't exactly like the looks of this place…"

"Quit your whining! We're going the right way," Ridley replied, holding out the map that he took with the group. "Who's the one with the map here?" A group of submarines appeared in front of the Skylanders, firing torpedoes at them. The fighters quickly moved their Sea Vehicles out of the line of fire.

"Guess this is the gunk Jet-Vac was warning us about," Kazooie recognized as Banjo used his Jinjo Jetski to fire projectiles at the small submarines attacking them. As soon as nothing but scraps of metal and skeleton bones remained, the SuperChargers drove their vehicles through the rubble. Ridley looked at the map again, his claws tracing around the area they were currently in. The dragon stopped his Sea Vehicle, much to the puzzlement of his former teammates.

"I think this is the place," Ridley told the group, pointing upward with his sharp forefinger. Above them was a large ring with a few submarines floating on the surface. The four Sea Vehicles emerged out of the water, popping the magic bubbles around them as a result. Ridley, Pop Fizz, Clementine, and Banjo & Kazooie all hopped out of their vehicles, looking at the skeleton creatures operating the large control room which was dimly lit by fluorescent lights and cameras. The enemies stared at the Skylanders that found their control room, and they quickly pulled out their weapons to take care of the intruders.

"What? No welcome wagon?" Kazooie asked, slowly spreading her wings as Banjo generated clumps of rocks from his brass knuckles. Pop Fizz readied his large bubble blower, Clementine pulled out her vinyl discs, and Ridley exposed his steel claws along with his vicious appetite for manslaughter.


The SuperChargers that had the Rift Engines of their Sky Vehicles were running through the more quiet parts of the Dehabilitation Center, avoiding the line of sight from the spotlights scanning the wide path they were on as best as they could. At the end of the path was some sort of blue vortex in the middle of a robotic ring. Kirby, Bowser, and Pit looked to their left to see the rest of their friends riding their Land Vehicles through the facility, distracting the spotlights long enough for the Sky Vehicle team to get to the blue gate.

"This way!" Jet-Vac whispered, he and his comrades running into the gate. They soon ended up on the wall of one of the many prison chambers. Pit looked down at one of the bars on the door he was literally standing on, surprised to find a Mabu poking his head out in fright.

"This is freaky…!" Pit whispered, holding his bow close to his chest. "That's what these Perspective Gates do?"

"I think so," Stealth Elf replied, ready to set foot through another one of those vortexes. "Now come on. Just a few more of these guys." The Skylanders entered through the Perspective Gate, suddenly appearing on the bottom of another random cage. This continued for a few more seconds, with the fighters running through one Perspective Gate after the other and ending up on the walls of a cell or the ceiling. They eventually exited through the last Perspective Gate, ending at a large opening to the outer borders of the Land of the Undead. Their gravity seemed to have also been fixed since they were standing right-side up again. An electronic alarm sounded across the prison facility, and the cages that were keeping Skylands's inhabitants opened up.

"Looks like Pop Fizz and the others messed with the controls a bit," Stealth Elf pointed out, both she and the Skylanders watching each and every prisoner around the place make their daring escape. Many box-like vehicles flew in, picking up each and every convict. The barrel Softpaw was hiding rolled in through the Perspective Gate Jet-Vac and his teammates went through.

"This is Softpaw!" the gray fox greeted, wearing a paper airplane on his head. "The prisoners are making their escape thanks to you! But Count Moneybone's fleet will be coming this way and attempt to push all the prisoners back. You need to help get these transport ships to safety and help them leave the Dehabilitation Center! Good luck, Skylanders." Softpaw disappeared back into his barrel, rolling through the same Perspective Gate.

"This is our chance!" Jet-Vac told the SuperChargers, pulling out his personal Rift Engine. "The transport ships are coming this way. Are you all ready?"

"Ready as we'll ever be," Bowser answered, each one of the Skylanders in the group taking out their Rift Engines. They all tossed their engines in front of them, which grew in size and transformed into the Sky Vehicles. Everyone got into their matching vehicles and drove off alongside the transport ships exiting the prison.

"Enemy ships, dead ahead!" Stealth Elf called out, firing knives from her Stealth Stinger's minigun and attacking the skeleton-piloted gliders. A small fleet of Kaos's minions arrived, attempting to stop the transport ships with gravity-manipulating beams. Kirby and Pit attacked the small gliders with shooting stars and explosive pollen, defeating the ship's attacking the prisoners.

"Sure hope the others are having a blast in getting Master Eon out of his prison!" Jet-Vac told Bowser as he attacked another bunch of enemy ships. "With their incredible strength, we can get him back sooner and push back against Kaos and his forces!"


The Skylanders riding on the Land Vehicles broke through the large, monochromatic cell door on the top of the large building, landing on a circular battlefield that curved upward into the center. In front of where they landed their vehicles, the SuperChargers saw a large cluster of glowing crystals, with an elderly spirit Eruptor and Roller Brawl recognized, who was trapped in one of them.

"It's Master Eon!" Roller Brawl proclaimed, adjusting the levers in her Tomb Buggy while Hat Kid and Alchemo held on to the sides. "Don't worry! We'll get you out of there!" The vampireress drove straight towards the captive mentor, who in return expressed feelings of joy after days or even weeks of solitary confinement. Mewtwo suddenly sensed a dark presence within the room, giving him and everyone else a sense of danger.

"Watch out!" Mewtwo telepathized in exclamation, getting off Giratina's Quad and teleporting himself next to the vehicle. He quickly snatched Hat Kid, Roller Brawl, and Alchemo with his psychic powers a split-second before the Tomb Buggy was sliced in half by a powerful slash. The Tomb Buggy's hull exploded into gray dust, and the Rift Engine was glimmering with the Undead Element it was now recharging with. Roller Brawl pushed Mewtwo away and roller-skated her way over to the small Rift Engine, but the cold blade of a familiar weapon was pressed against her neck the second she picked it back up.

"The Devilsknife," the cheerful voice spoke in a calm and frightening manner, turning Roller Brawl's face pale when she looked up to see the major opponent all of Skylands was up against. "From the world where I come from, come from, Lightners and Darkners deviate from humans in the sense that they are both monsters. And do you know how to identify Darkners from other humans and monsters? Darkners both bleed and dust upon death, death. Those mixed attributes unleash powerful spells from Darkners that combine both determination and magic, and the Devilsknife is no exception. Why, one blow from this weapon is enough to inflict a fatal wound upon its target, target. That's the result of realization. Realization that no one can truly be free in a world where everything is concrete." Roller Brawl backed away, the apprehension in her eyes enough to scare her towards Mewtwo, Alchemo, and Hat Kid.

"Hey! You can put a sock in it!" Eruptor snapped. "These are Skylanders you're talking to!"

"And I have to take a gandering conjecture and say you are all equal in terms of what the rules of this world have been previously established for you," Jevil went on, floating in the air and leaning against the long handle of the Devilsknife. "Sharing the role of protagonist while you all remain trapped on the side of order and light! How boring! How dull! What excitement would there be in a world where light is regarded as good and all-knowing while darkness is shamed for even existing and is more often than not antagonized? Things don't seem as such from here, Lightners!"

"Oh please, Jevil! Stop boring me and my… unwelcome guests with your monologues that don't even make sense contextual-wise," Count Moneybone groaned, floating into the room in a large flying steampunk robot of his. The machinery was designed to be decorated with brass and gold, shaped like a skull with a cannon on the right and an arm on the left while it glimmered with an unnatural blue.

"Don't make sense… or don't NOT make sense?" Jevil asked, keeping that grin of his on his face, as he floated next to Moneybone. The skeleton pushed the jester away out of annoyance.

"Ahem, yes of course… Anyway: my Traptanium penthouse suite was originally designed to accommodate just one prisoner, but… it can easily hold in two or more, Skylanders," Moneybone told the SuperChargers. "Unless of course… you were planning to break the old fool out."

"But why would you ever go out of your senses to do so, so?" Jevil asked, rubbing his mitten over the crystal pillar that has encased Eon inside. "Can't you see that he finally has all the freedom he desires? After everything Kaos went through to lock the old mentor ghost outside? Though he would grow lonely in his little freedom, just like I had, had. And look on the bright side: he'll feel happy when you get to join him."

"Let's just get to the point," Moneybone addressed. "I hate to disappoint you (actually, I don't), but Lord Kaos has other plans for Eon. So… ready yourselves for battle, Skylanders, and prepare to wallow in a puddle of ultimate failure!"

"But I will be willing to assist you, if you don't mind, mind," Jevil noted, letting spades and diamonds dance around his left arm. "I declare that a second round will spark up and unwind. Defeat us both, free the old mentor, and escape the house of liberty without losing your last stock and ending up free! Uee hee hee!"

"At least try to stay out of the way as often as possible," Moneybone told the jester as he was about to shut the cockpit to the inside of his machine. "I want to have at least half the glory too."

"Psh. Whatever," Sonic noted. "You're never gonna take us down, not as long as we've got each other by our side!" Roller Brawl's Rift Engine was fully recharged, and she quickly threw it on the ground and brought back her Tomb Buggy. Hat Kid and Alchemo quickly ran over to the crystalline prisons, hiding in plain sight from Moneybone and Jevil.

The Perspective Gates at the corners of the stage activated, and Count Moneybone started with the first attack. He began dropping fire upon the ground, which lingered on the floor as he flew over in random directions across the floor. The Land Vehicles began releasing their projectiles at Moneybone's machine, avoiding the fiery path he spread.

"I control the vertical, horizontal, and everything in-between! Have at thee!" Moneybone boasted, slamming his down onto the metallic ground with his robot's left hand and generating a violet shockwave that spread across the floor at a fast pace.

"We better get moving!" Fox advised. "Quick! Through these weird glowing portals!" The Star Fox mercenary drove his Land Master into one of the Perspective Gates, suddenly appearing on the same wall he was facing. Mewtwo realized this and drove himself through one of the four main Perspective Gates. Donkey Kong and Eruptor entered through the third one, and Sonic and Roller Brawl went into the fourth. Moneybone flew his machine to the ceiling, where he watched as all six of the SuperChargers in the room attacked him with barrels, lava balls, scalding flames, and more.

Jevil simply looked up and stared at the chaos taking place, and he quickly moved aside close to the Traptanium prison cells. Hat Kid and Alchemo were watching the commotion, and the alien girl knew they couldn't leave the spirit of the elderly Portal Master alone.

"We have to help that man," Hat Kid whispered. "But I don't know what we can do without getting caught by Jevil."

"I think I know a way," Alchemo replied, pulling out a couple of potions and mixing them together. "Months ago, I learned that Traptanium is the most powerful material in Skylands, so strong that it can only use itself to cut through itself. At least, that's what I've learned so far. I'm going to try to make an acid to break Eon out."

"Let's shed some light on your issues!" Moneybone proclaimed, firing multiple golden laser beams across the walls. The Skylanders drove through the Perspective Gates again, keeping a watchful eye on one of the walls that the skeleton's robot landed on while attacking him on the floor.

"He's almost out!" Eruptor told his companions.

"Ugh… Jevil! Jevil! Why aren't you helping me?!" Moneybone asked as he was unleashing streams of fire across the floor to get the Skylanders out of the way.

"You said I should stay out of your way," Jevil answered while the skeleton's robot slammed around and generated violet shockwaves that stretched out from the floor to the ends of each wall. "I'm taking your advice for granted, granted." When Mewtwo's Land Vehicle unleashed the last blow on Moneybone, all the systems on the robot were shut down, and the robot was defeated with Moneybone knocked unconscious and trapped inside the rubble.

"What a shame, what a shame," Jevil laughed, his yellow pupils gleaming and glancing back at Hat Kid without her noticing as she climbed her way through the Traptanium cells to push Eon out. "Looks like Moneybone will take the blame. Half the glory, my ass." Jevil raised his hands into the air, generating white diamonds from the floor. They appeared in random places, forcing the Skylanders to drift left and right just to avoid the attacks.

"Just try to be careful of where his attacks are!" Mewtwo telepathized, using the cannons attached to his Giratina's Quad to hit the jester with ghastly projectiles that were black with purple auras, almost similar to the Pokémon Ghastly.

"We're trying as best as we can, but-" Roller Brawl responded, slamming the brakes when one of the last few diamonds during the duration of the attack shot up in front of her. The Skylanders fired their weapons at the jester, but they could only land a few hits on him considering he moved around quite elegantly.

"Piip piip. Let's ride the carousel game," Jevil proclaimed, clapping his hands and spawning three rows of horses laid across. They began to spin around on the floor, bobbing up and down like waves on an ocean. Even then, the Smashers quickly drove through the Perspective Gates to barely avoid the attack entirely. Eruptor and Roller Brawl didn't know what to do, which resulted in them losing decent amounts of health from their Land Vehicles.

"Who keeps spinning the world around?" Jevil asked, having noticed the Smashers used the Perspective Gates to avoid the attack. "You sinners are really keeping up, aren't you!?" Jevil twirled in the air, attacking all the walls with rows of spades that were raining down upon Sonic, Fox, Donkey Kong, and Mewtwo from their perspectives. The four quickly drove through the gates and ended up back on the floor, only for everyone in their Land Vehicles to look up and see Jevil prepare a rainstorm of club shapes.

"Nu-ha! Having fun? Come join the club!" Jevil exclaimed, throwing his hand down to force the clubs to rain down on the unsuspecting Skylanders. Mewtwo drove Giratina's Quad in front of the fighters and quickly projected a large dome shield over the Skylanders and their Land Vehicles.

Mewtwo lowered his shield and proceeded to fire Shadow Balls alongside his four-wheeler's turrets. Jevil got hit by those attacks, but he quickly brushed it off as he giggled and sent out white hearts across the room. While all the real chaos caused by Jevil was going on, Hat Kid crawled through the Traptanium crystals to get to Eon. The spirit form of the elderly Portal Master was fixated on the battle going on, praying with every ounce of hope that the Skylanders would succeed. Hat Kid knocked on the glassy surface of his prison, alerting Eon of her presence.

"We're gonna get you out of here," the alien girl told Eon. "Alchemo's making a compound that will melt you out of your prison."

"Why… how in the Skylands will you be able to manage that?" Eon asked. "You look rather weak for your size." Hat Kid took it for granted, but that didn't stop her from trying to push and pull on the crystal prison cell to dislodge it.

"I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm pretty intelligent and strong," Hat Kid replied. As the alien child was doing her best to free Eon, Jevil was continuously dodging the projectiles the Skylanders fired at them.

"Even Devilsknife is smiling~!" Jevil laughed, spinning around with the scythe in his hands. The weapon grew larger and became tinted with a red hue, and by the time the jester threw it he saw a couple beads of sweat fly from his face. The large, red Devilsknife ricocheted off the walls, and the SuperChargers were once again obliged to drive around like crazy just to survive.

The enhanced Devilsknife eventually slashed through the bottom of the Traptanium prison, which was keeping the whole thing together. The crystals began to fall apart and fall onto the floor, with Eon still trapped inside his cell. Hat Kid propelled herself next to Alchemo to avoid getting crushed by the crystals scattering around.

"Come on!" Hat Kid told Alchemo, who was still making the acid with some herbs before the alien girl dragged her over to Eon's cell.

"Hurry, Alchemo!" Eon told the young cadet. "Finish the acid!"

"I'm trying my best… here goes!" Alchemo noted, pouring the orange acid he created. The Traptanium was eaten away real fast, and the spirit of the Portal Master could feel himself loosen up. The Traptanium began to crack and crumble until eventually the prison cell completely shattered thanks to the acid. The glowing spirit of Eon emerged from the crystalline rubble that was once his prison.

"Thank you for rescuing me, Alchemo" Eon thanked. "And thank you and your friends for finding me, dear child."

"It's no big deal, really," Hat Kid noted. "Just a couple of fetch quests and stuff just to find you. But… we better get out of here." Jevil landed on the floor in front of the Portal Master and the two kids, brushing off the rubble on his black cape. He looked behind himself to see Eon free from his prison, as well as the children who helped break him out.

The jester pulled out another Devilsknife from a white, upside-down heart on his chest. He spawned a bunch of spades and diamonds behind himself, striking fear into his greatest foe's heart. Before Jevil could attack Alchemo, Hat Kid, or even Eon, Sonic drove his Flash Drifter straight into the jester and pinned him against one of the walls.

"Get Eon out of here!" Sonic called out to Alchemo and Hat Kid, holding a squirming Jevil in place for as long as he could while the rest of his comrades attacked with powerful cannonballs based on their methods of fighting. "Donkey Kong will take you to Flynn's ship, right big guy?" Donkey Kong, who was shooting barrels at the pinned clown with his Barrel Blaster, stopped attacking and gave a thumbs-up. Hat Kid and Alchemo ran over to the gorilla, with Eon warping away in a bright flash of blue to supposedly get himself to Flynn's ship no problem. Soon enough, Donkey Kong drove out of the room with the two young fighters.

This lack of attack power gave Jevil the upper hand. He used his raw strength to kick Sonic's Land Vehicle straight ahead with such tremendous force, giving Eruptor and Fox the chance to quickly jump out of their vehicles before they were destroyed in a large explosive crash. Sonic jumped out just in time so he could watch as the three obliterated vehicles transformed back into their Rift Engines and floated over to their different drivers.

"I kinda wanted to fight out of my Flash Drifter anyway," Sonic spoke, cracking his neck and rolling his shoulders before he charged straight for the jester at full speed. Sonic threw his leg out at Jevil with a roundhouse lightning kick, by which Jevil quickly jester grabbed his other leg, throwing the blue hedgehog straight into the air and firing diamonds straight at him.

Fox jumped high up and cast his reflector to protect Sonic, and the projectiles landed on the ground. The blue hedgehog used those Air Boots of his to slow down his landing as best as he could while Fox ran straight for the clown. The Star Fox mercenary punched Jevil hard in the face, kicking the jester rapidly in the chest before the jester grabbed his neck and flew high into the air.

Jevil threw Fox McCloud straight into the floor and surrounded him with spades about to rain down upon him, by which Roller Brawl jumped out of her Tomb Buggy for. She kicked Jevil in the chest with her saw-like roller blade, sending him straight for the wall. Jevil landed on the rubble of Count Moneybone's robot next to the Traptanium crystals, clearly not giving up as he sent more hearts and clubs at incredibly fast speeds. Fox quickly got up when Mewtwo rushed to his aid, and they were busy reflecting the suit projectiles away from them and their teammates.

"You leave my friends alone, you creepy monster!" Roller Brawl called out on Jevil, skating straight at him with blades in her hands. Jevil twirled with the Devilsknife in his hands, knocking the blades away from himself. When he saw the four Skylanders running straight after him with full speed, he generated spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs behind himself. Before he could unleash them, Eruptor tackled him from the side, pinning the jester straight to the ground.

"You better be prepared to taste the fury of my fiery insides!" Eruptor growled, pinning Jevil's head to the floor. The feeling alone for the jester was rather warm in a way.

"Perhaps, perhaps… or you can taste my own magic!" Jevil snapped, grabbing Eruptor's arms and starting to freeze him from there. "I agree. That would be tragic… Ha-ha!"

"Eruptor!" Roller Brawl called out to her lava friend, skating after the jester attempting to kill her lava friend. Sonic rushed over to her, curling up into a ball and spindashing straight at the jester. Eruptor was saved, but not that it really mattered much because most of his body was frozen, and his face was the only thing untouched. Rolled Brawl rolled over to her friend's aid, pulling out her pink blades to get Eruptor out of the ice.

"Don't worry, Eruptor," Roller Brawl confined, taking off her skull helmet and chipping away at the ice coating his right arm. "We're all going to make it out in one piece." Roller Brawl shrieked a bit when she saw Eruptor's frozen arm snap off from his body, confirming that he was now part of the ice thanks to his structure being made entirely out of lava.

"RB..." Eruptor advised, aware there was nothing she could do to save him as he watched Sonic, Mewtwo, and Fox attack Jevil while they tried avoiding his fast projectiles. "Just leave me here. You take our friends and… leave the Dehabilitation Center." Roller Brawl's eyes began to tear up in shock. Was this real? This couldn't be real that she was going to do such a thing…

"No… no! We've lost so many comrades. We almost lost Jet-Vac. I can't lose you too!" Roller Brawl wept in disbelief. "You have to stay with us! Mags will find a way to heat you up and then you can fight again! Please…"

"... It's alright," Eruptor reassured, unable to do anything but smile with acceptance. "I remember when you came to the academy. How you would never give up on anyone. That was what we saw from you. Courage and determination. I guess the same could be said for anyone. There are some things that are inevitable, probably… At least Eon is rescued. That's a good thing. I know you'll come back for me and the rest of the Skylanders." Roller Brawl hugged Eruptor's icy body, knowing that parting with a close friend aches her heart.

During the whole fight, Mewtwo unleashed his telekinesis to suspend Jevil in midair, helping Fox and Sonic give it their all at the clown with rapid punches and kicks. The blue hedgehog finished the fight by kicking Jevil straight into a wall with such tremendous strength and electrical power that he made a dent in the metal. Jevil fell to the floor in defeat, with something slipping out of his cape.

"What… is that?" Mewtwo asked when he noticed the object a few inches in front of Jevil. It seemed to be some sort of mandible that had a strange beard and sharp teeth, and it was all colored a dark silver with some tints of blue and indigo. The jester pulled himself up, and he quickly grabbed the artifact before the Pokémon could fully analyze it. An alarm blasted across the Land of the Undead, giving the three Smashers the notion that they have to go. Mewtwo and Fox already got their Rift Engines out and drove away in their Land Vehicles, and Sonic and Roller Brawl hopped into theirs.

"Uh… what about Eruptor?" Sonic asked. "You can't necessarily leave him behind… can you?" The blue hedgehog noticed a tear glimmer in Roller Brawl's eye as she put her helmet back on. Before she rode off, she glanced at Sonic with a heartbroken ache. The blue hedgehog looked at Eruptor just kneeling there on the monochromatic floor, just waiting for the unavoidable to arrive as soon as possible. The blue hedgehog recognized that he couldn't be saved as the beaten jester was slowly walking towards him with the Devilsknife in his hands.

As the Flash Drifter and its SuperCharger drove off from the room Eon was imprisoned in, Eruptor was left alone with the clown that had frozen him like this.

"So… you're gonna be killing me?" Eruptor asked. "Unless you want to. I don't have the ability to stop you now…"

"Why of course, of course," Jevil replied. "It looks like the count is still asleep, so I'll make this quick. You have seen a strange relic like the mandible, right?"

"Why are you asking me?" Eruptor asked. "I don't even know what you're talking about."

"And no one will. You do realize that since you've seen what I've been planning behind Kaos's back this whole time, I have no choice but to make sure the secrets must be kept… at least until the big event," Jevil added. "No matter. The Skylanders only have one more round in the game, and if I win that… I will win the entire game. They're fast, fast. Clever, clever. But I'll be the victor in the end. And look at the light at the end of the tunnel: I at least put up more of a fight than Count Moneybone did, so maybe I might be treated with more respect..." Jevil raised his Devilsknife and slashed through Eruptor with it, ending the Skylander's life with his fate yet to be determined by the jester.


Eon opened his eyes in fright as he had a strange feeling that one of the Skylanders fell in battle. The spirit was already on Flynn's ship, where the Land Vehicles some of the fighters were driving were parked on the deck. He took a long stare at the Burn-Cycle, fearing that something terrible had happened to Eruptor. He also noticed Bone Bash Roller Brawl rolling over to the magma cycle, her head hung low in grief. Eon knew that something happened to one of the academy's oldest comrades, and it wasn't good in the slightest.

Flynn's ship was just parking itself near the deck, with the Sky Vehicles of some of the fighters landing. Jet-Vac, Stealth Elf, Bowser, Kirby, and Pit all got off their flying vehicles, which reverted back to their Rift Engines once again. Everyone else that raided the Dehabilitation Center and played their parts in freeing Master Eon and all the various prisoners were all walking off the wooden plank. The trio of Buzz, Mags, and Sharpfin were waiting for the Skylanders to return.

"Well, I'll be doggoned!" Mags exclaimed. "You critters actually went and done it! Y'all freed Master Eon!"

"We always believed you could do it," Sharkfin added, fist-bumping Pit's left shoulder until he noticed the vampireress moving past everyone in complete and utter grief. "Uh, hold on. Why's Roller Brawl so… sad? And where's Eruptor?" The Skylanders that piloted the Sky and Sea Vehicles were confused by what exactly is going on, and so were Donkey Kong, Hat Kid, and Alchemo since they weren't around before the event. As Roller Brawl skated towards the Skylander Academy, the blue hedgehog stepped in to fill in the blanks.

"We got everyone out of the Land of the Undead, but… Jevil probably managed to catch Eruptor by somehow freezing his body and… turning most of him into ice," Sonic explained as best as he could. "We had to leave him behind just so we could escape with your Master Eon. I'm going to comfort her. You guys find a way to destroy the Sky Eater and fill me in on the blanks when it's time to go." The blue hedgehog walked off, still moving as fast as Roller Brawl when she skates at her normal speed.

"There is no time to waste," Master Eon spoke. "Even though Count Moneybone's 'Dehabilitation Center' has been shut down, Kaos and Jevil are still out there wreaking havoc across all of Skylands. As if just one obstacle wasn't enough."

"We saw that Sky Eater up close," Hugo pointed out.

"And we suspect those Rifts caused by that machine are affecting not just your portal network, but ours as well," Fox explained. "Whatever that thing is, it's feeding off all our universes and disconnecting everyone from each other. Most of us aren't from around here, like Jevil. We need to find a way to get back to our worlds, or at the very least back to Arcus. Do you have any ideas?"

"The Sky Eater itself is not the problem," Eon answered. "It is what stirs in it that we should fear. Shielded by the enchanted armor of Kaos's Doomstation is the last remnants of the Darkness, and it is growing ever more powerful by the minute. I have an underlying suspicion that someone is helping it grow ever stronger with a force greater than we thought, and it's up to us to stop the mess Kaos left behind before it's too late."

"That doesn't sound so bad, even if this threat of yours sounds serious," Ridley replied. "But do you suppose we stop this thing just in case?"

"As long as the Core of Light shines, the Darkness will remain in that sky-eating monstrosity… for now," Eon continued. "Even then, we must act before the Skylands is destroyed."

"But thankfully we ain't losing that Core of Light anytime soon," Sharpfin added. "Mags and I helped move it to here, but we can't keep driving this academy around forever. We might run into some trouble."

"...I never thought this day might come, but we'll have to resort to a book I have saved within the sacred vault of the academy," Eon spoke. "I have long forgotten how the story goes, but maybe my memory could be refreshed upon reading it to you Skylanders once more." The spiritual Portal Master floated towards the Skylander Academy, all the Skylanders on the team (except for Sonic and Roller Brawl) followed him.


"Hey, Roller Brawl?" Sonic asked, walking around the grassy field portion of the island. "Are you here? Roller Brawl…?" The blue devil could hear the sound of the vampireress silently weeping, and he saw her silhouette in front of a screen of clouds covering a setting sun. She was sitting near the edge with her helmet off, wiping her running nose while tears streamed down her face.

Sonic approached Roller Brawl, sitting beside her and letting his dangle over the edge. He looked at the dispirited SuperCharger on his left, noticing something odd about her hair. The braided ponytail seemed to be losing some of its color at the tips, slowly crawling its way up to her head.

"It sure is a slow day," Roller Brawl sighed, trying to break the silence between herself and Sonic. "I wonder when night will arrive…"

"Hey… about Eruptor: I'm sorry none of us could rescue him," Sonic sighed, fully aware that is the reason why she's sad. "You did the best you could. We all did."

"You don't have to apologize…" Roller Brawl responded. "He needed help, but he told me to leave him." A small lock of hair became a pale gray, and the blue hedgehog knew he needed to do something.

"RB… your hair," Sonic pointed out. "I've never seen your hair like this before…" Roller Brawl picked up her braided hair, looking down upon the color clashing with her usual magenta.

"...Master Eon says there are traits inside everyone, depending on your personality," Roller Brawl explained, trying to hold back her tears. "Mine is heroism. When you lose a trait, you lose a little bit of yourself until eventually… you're nothing more than an empty husk." The blue hedgehog watched as more strands of Roller Brawl's hair began to turn gray as tears streamed down her face.

"Now don't say that," Sonic reassured. "You are clearly not a husk, let me tell you that. I've dealt with problems like these, and do you know what I do? Live and learn. Live to fight another day and learn to find another way." Roller Brawl said nothing about the matter, only letting her throat tighten and grip the grass beside her.

"Don't you even understand…?" Roller Brawl asked, with more strands of her hair losing color as the clouds in front of her grew a darker hue. "I've lived and learned plenty of times, and I've seen my fellow Skylanders fall in battle. I've seen some disappearing from the Skylander Academy and I've seen more die in front of my eyes and transform into trophies. And yet I never gave up."

"I kept on fighting just to get them back," Roller Brawl continued, with Sonic recognizing that more color was draining from her hair as the vampireress's eyes began to glow a bright pink. "We all did. I just so happened to be the one heavily affected by the events following the Sky Eater… and Eruptor's death was when I just gave up. I don't know if I could even be considered a hero after all the confederates I lost… and all because I was overconfident that we were going to win no matter what!"" Roller Brawl broke down into tears, her eyes tinted with a neon pink.

"Hey. Heyheyheyhey," Sonic hushed, pulling Roller Brawl close to himself and giving her a comforting hug. "You're more important than you think you are. You're better than you think you are. And anybody who tells you otherwise just can't see how great you can be. Just because you slipped up and lost everyone you care about… it doesn't mean they're gone forever. Now, I'm no fortune teller, but I know with the friends you've got right now… you will get back the comrades you lost. I was just like you once. I didn't know what I was going to do after I lost so many memories of the worlds I visited and the powers I was cursed with… but in the end, I learned what to appreciate from those close to me. And like me, your friends and family could be waiting for you too." Roller Brawl felt the soft clothes of her hedgehog companion, burying her face into his t-shirt to vent out her fears.

"If there's anything I learned, it's that you can't let the past weigh you down all the time," Sonic continued. "And I'll admit: the things Kaos and his goons did to your friends is clearly what I hate about him, and I haven't properly met the guy yet. Regardless, what's important is that you never give up and never submit to the darkness in your heart. I did once… but I've evolved since then. I've adapted. Like me… you'll live and learn, growing from your mistakes. Isn't that what heroism is, after all?" The vampireress slowly stopped weeping, with the darkened clouds clearing out by coincidence. The magenta tears stopped dripping, and the gray strands in Roller Brawl's hair were restored back to their usual color.

"Yeah…" Roller Brawl sniffled, rubbing her arm into her eyes, which had since then lost their unnatural glow and reverted back to normal. "I guess it is… Thanks, Sonic."

"Now you're getting it!" Sonic laughed, bumping his fist next to Roller Brawl's right shoulder. "Wanna pop in on Master Eon and save the Skylands?"

"Heck yeah, I am!" Roller Brawl exclaimed, getting back up on her roller blades after getting her confidence back up. "Let's roll!"


The Skylanders were accompanied by Eon, searching through an old, dusty room for something. The room was filled with old books on shelves and chests, with the place lit by a dim candle on the wall. Sonic and Roller Brawl entered the place, the both of them curious about what everyone was doing here.

"Oh hey there," Pit uttered as he saw the blue hedgehog and the vampireress walk in on them. "We're looking for a book Eon needs in order to find a way to defeat the Sky Eater."

"It's titled The Coming of the Darkness, by some bug named Pomfrey Le Fuzzbottom," Bowser added. "Can you help us look for it?"

"Sure," Sonic and Roller Brawl replied, heading over to different parts of the room.

"You know, for an all-knowing wizard, you should have kept your things a little more tidy, Eon," Ridley spoke, looking down to see Pop Fizz gnaw on one of the books. The dragon swiped the book out of the gremlin's mouth.

"And why are you eating the books?" Ridley asked.

"I didn't even eat lunch," Pop Fizz replied. "Sorry…" Hat Kid walked past Mewtwo, who was using his telekinesis to make the books float around himself, and she pushed open a chest. She dug through the chest before pulling out a rather large book from a cloud of dust. The alien girl blew off the dust on the book, realizing the hardcover was a rich velvet brown with golden markings. The words that were imprinted on the front of the book read "The Coming of the Darkness - Pomfrey Le Fuzzbottom."

"Hey, guys!" Hat Kid called out. "I think I found it!" The Skylanders walked up to her, with Jet-Vac taking the book from the alien girl.

"Excellent work, little one," Eon spoke, floating behind the SuperChargers. "Luckily, I had borrowed this from the Hall of the Ancients, as well as a ton of other books with complete editions before I... you know, lost my body the first time Kaos attacked. Go ahead: open it and let us see how to put an end to the Darkness's evil for good."

"We must hurry," Mewtwo advised the Smashers and the Skylanders, including Alchemo and Hat Kid. "Kaos and his forces are still laying waste." Jet-Vac opened up the hard cover, and the pages began to glow as everyone in the room began to literally visualize what the words read.

"Thousands of years ago, ancient beings that came from the stars arrived in Skylands," Eon's voice read aloud. The Skylanders let the magic contained within the book take over their minds so they could visualize a setting that looked like it was drawn on paper in watercolor and Celtic art styles, with blank, humanoid figures descending from a starless night sky onto what looked like the violent winds of a mucky world. "When they arrived, they had discovered ten mystical elements within the chaotic storm: Fire, Earth, Water, Undead, Life, Magic, Air, Tech, Light, and Dark. However, each element was wild like the winds, and so they eventually found a strange relic that could help them." The drawing depicted one of the blank humanoids approaching a strange crystal shard as thick as his arm and as tall as his head, which gleamed with all the colors in the rainbow spectrum.

"The strange relic gifted them a special substance known as Imaginite, which helped the Ancients utilize the power of imagination by which they called Mind Magic, and they created a new realm among the ten elements: forging the Skylands you know today," Eon's voice continued, with the drawing showing multicolored crystals spreading across the stormy winds and creating calm skies with floating islands in them. "However, before they could create the portals, the Ancients feared Imaginite would be used for evil, and so they sealed away all traces of Mind Magic in the hopes that the wrong hands would not touch it. As for the shard from where the crystals came from, no one knows where it is to this day. However, some have speculated it's deep beneath the realm where no island has ever reached, waiting for a new day to shine."

"Without the Mind Magic to help transport them across Skylands, the Ancients explored the universe using magical relics called Rift Engines, long before they created the portals." The blank humanoids were seen using the power of all ten elements to create these magical golden engines, by which they used the Rifts to get around. "It wasn't long before they began exploring other worlds and universes, each with their own sets of rules. There were worlds where witches fought angels, worlds where kingdoms were at war, worlds where monsters were sealed underground by humans, worlds full of street fighters, animals, mythical creatures, and far more than you can possibly imagine. There was just one problem, however."

"The demand to spread the light out from Skylands was at an all-time high, and in their hastefulness the Ancients created a powerful Rift Engine that opened the door to a forbidden world and unleashed a destructive force into Skylands: the Darkness." The Ancients were busy adding concoctions to the Rift Engine molders, but they accidentally added too much of the Dark Element into one of the molds, and a fiery explosion of the colors black and magenta emerged from a large, dark-green Rift Engine. Emerging from a mist of shadows was a face with a sooty wooden texture, with neon pink eyes and crystals stuck on his forehead arranged to look similar to Kaos's head mark.

"Cunning and benevolent forces began to fall under command of the Darkness, containing the Skylands in complete shadow. With no time to waste and the Darkness growing stronger by the minute, the Ancients quickly assembled a powerful machine to keep the Darkness at bay: the Core of Light. Just when all of Skylands had been lost, the Core of Light was activated, pushing the Darkness back into the realm from whence it came." The Ancients began to build some sort of strange green dome that unleashed a pillar of light, scaring away the Darkness and forcing the face inside it to flee into the Rift created by the Dark Rift Engine. Chains were fastened around the engine, locked away in a remote location to never awaken again. "Despite having lost the battle, the Darkness left behind a remnant of its power, and the scars it left behind in Skylands continue to inspire wicked forces to this day. The Eternal Light and Dark Sources were sealed in a jade pendant known as the Eye of the Ancients, and the Core's creators never bothered to finish it, believing that the other eight Eternal Sources would be enough to keep the Darkness trapped inside."

"After the defeat of the Darkness, the Ancients left the Skylands to explore other worlds, leaving the Portal Masters to guard the portals they have protected. Sadly, half of the Portal Masters were corrupted by the evil in the Darkness, and a war ensured between both darkness and light. At least, that's how the story goes." Before Eon could read any more from the book, the story was over. Everyone in the room snapped out a trance, with the Skylanders in general shaking their heads to wash out the daze they went through.

"It seems as though the Core of Light was incomplete all this time, and we need the Eye of the Ancients to weaponize it," Master Eon declared. "It's the only chance we've got at stopping Kaos's Sky Eater and put an end to the plans for everything he aims to achieve."

"Well, where do you suppose we find it?" Alchemo asked.

"The last I've heard, it is located within the Monstrous Isles, home of the Titans," Master Eon answered. "Hurry now. There's no time to waste. Get into your vehicles and head out." Eon disappeared from the room, leaving the Skylanders and Hat Kid alone.

"The Monstrous Isles… haven't been to that place in a while," Pop Fizz pointed out, scratching behind his own ears. "I heard they got great guacamole, though!"

"You all heard Master Eon. There's no time to waste. Let's go," Jet-Vac advised the group, leaving the dusty room. Everyone followed after the birdman without saying another word, ready to get this over with. Eon reappeared back in the room once everyone was gone, with a look of worry on his face.

"It appears my worst fears have been confirmed," Eon sighed with the hope that he was absolutely wrong about all this, looking at an old book lying on a desk. "I haven't got a response from my penpal for a long time, but let's hope he's listening when I say… the Nightmare King is returning soon." On the desk, covered in a thin layer of dust, was a notebook marked with strange symbols similar to the ones W.D. Gaster used.


"Wait! Wait!" Kaos shouted, echoing throughout a small dark room on-board the Sky Eater. Jevil and Kaos were communicating with Count Moneybone through video chat upon a set of circular stairs, and behind the skeleton on the floating TV screen was the rubble of his robot and the mess caused in Eon's prison room.

"What I fail to understand, Moneybone, is how you botched the one job - THE ONE JOB YOU HAD!? - to keep that old fool Eon locked up!?" Kaos yelled at the count, fully enraged that the minion he was paying the most failed to protect Eon's Traptanium prison. Jevil was just floating in the air, smiling as he watched the unfortunate situation the skeleton was in.

"It was the Skylanders!" Count Moneybone advised, twirling his mustache in stress and annoyance. "There was nothing we could do! They were terribly heroic."

"Enough!" Kaos shouted, with a big red button emerging from the floor in front of him. "Is there anything else…?" Moneybone's face lit up with something on his mind, and he was eager to share it with his boss.

"Actually, now that you mention it-" Moneybone addressed before he was cut off by Kaos, who pressed the red button to end the call and the deal between him and the count. The Dark Portal Master laughed in satisfaction, and Jevil giggled with the notion that Moneybone was never going to reveal anything life-changing.

"I must say, the way you handled the conversation before ending right upon the count beginning a divulgence was all the more perfect, perfect!" Jevil cheered, quietly applauding for his emperor. "Jolly good show."

"Don't act like you succeeded in keeping Eon trapped either," Kaos replied, staying a bit tolerant towards the clown. "At least you tried to put up a fight, as well as manage to kill another Skylander better than that cheapskate Wimpybone."

"Why thank you, thank you!" Jevil laughed. "Though I meant to ask, oh yes I do: which Skylanders have made a fool out of you? Press the button again, then you'll see... the truth through the windows marked with 1,2, and 3."

"...You mean check the security footage?" Kaos asked, pressing the red button in front of him again. "Relax. It was just a regular old bust-in… from the… same old Skylanders…" By the time the Dark Portal Master checked Cameras 1, 2, and 3 on the same screen he was snapping at Count Moneybone, he saw what exactly happened through different times. In Camera 1, he saw the fight between Jevil and the Land SuperChargers commence. In Camera 2, Jet-Vac was leading a fleet of Sky SuperChargers across the air and helping the prisoners escape. And in Camera 3, Kaos watched as the skeletal creatures operating the control room were attacked by Pop Fizz and the Sea Vehicle SuperChargers.

"Jevil… who are they?" Kaos asked the jester, watching how Pit, Mewtwo, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Fox, Kirby, Ridley, Clementine, Banjo and Kazooie fought against his forces alongside some assistance from Hat Kid in some parts. "In all my years of evildoing, I've never seen Skylanders like these before, not even through my totally-copied-in-the-library-and-not-at-all-stolen-off-the-internet version of the Skylander Encyclopedia."

"Why, they're the souls I warned you about, but you pushed it back into my face when I offered you the refreshing Adam's ale of the truth," Jevil answered. "I never forget a single face I meet, meet, not even in a hundred years. The advantage to free other worlds under your domain is a possibility, and I'll be willing to help you make it happen."

"Hm… interesting," Kaos uttered with a mental note-to-self. "I see where you're going with this." The Dark Portal Master stared at the jester's face, eager to learn about this topic.

"Tell me more about the worlds you speak of," Kaos spoke with slight demand. The mood was interrupted when Glumshanks opened the door to the chamber, which slid open and revealed the glimmering light of the Darkness's magic.

"Um… Lord Kaos? Sir?" Glumshanks asked, much to his master's annoyance.

"Ugh! What is it now?" Kaos asked.

"Sir, it's the Darkness," Glumshanks reminded. "It's… asking for you…" Kaos walked out of the room, following Glumshanks as Jevil floated out. The three of them heard a faint sound call out for the Dark Portal Master, beckoning for his arrival.

Kaos…

Kaos…

By this point, Jevil watched as the Darkness looked as though it was trying to maintain a consistent shape as it continued burning and pulsing in the center of the room. Kaos was pleased at how the remnant he used was gaining sentience.

"Do you hear that, Glumshanks?" Kaos asked in excitement, holding his own hands behind his back as Glumshanks hid behind his back. "It knows my name. Don't just stand there, fool! Dial it in!"

"Are you sure it's a good idea to tamper with the sound box?" Glumshanks asked.

"Just do it!" Kaos ordered. The troll butler walked over to the control panel near the Darkness, heading over to a control knob and twisting it between a yellow happy face, a blue sad face, a red evil face, and a green surprised face. Glumshanks twisted the control knob a bit waiting for feedback from the sentient force of evil.

"I am one with the Darkness!" a high-pitched voice squeaked from the Darkness fueling the Sky Eater.

"No no no… That's ridiculous!" Kaos spoke, his voice going a bit silly at the end of that sentence. "Try again!" Glumshanks adjusted the knob again, and this time a deep, booming voice reverberated all around the room.

"All shall tremble under my presence!" the Darkness declared, its voice so strong it began to push Kaos and Glumshanks back a bit. Jevil kept his toothy grin on as he watched a strange, human-like flame take form within the energy of the Darkness around it. The humanoid being was only in a brighter shade of magenta, standing at around almost six feet if you lined it up with Jevil but was unclear to tell since it was mostly merged with the magic it consumed. It raised its hand, using telepathy to adjust the knob to give itself a voice.

"Finally," the Darkness spoke, its voice coming off as highly unsuspecting and pretty off-guard. "I've been waiting for a day where I can speak for so long, and my old voice is just as good as new." The voice the Darkness now spoke with was rather androgynous and sultry, almost like your stereotypical bishōnen animes nowadays.

"Why that's remarkable, Glumshanks!" Kaos spoke in bewilderment. "What did you do?"

"Nothing, sir," Glumshanks answered.

"Looks like it adjusted the contraption to fit its own needs, needs," Jevil replied.

"So you must be the one they call Kaos," the voice within the Darkness spoke. "I've kinda noticed you have recently been dealing with a few drawbacks."

"If by drawbacks, you mean the Skylanders-" Glumshanks corrected before Kaos interrupted him and pushed him aside.

"There's no drawbacks!" Kaos assured, not moving his teeth as he continued talking. "Everything's perfect here. All 100% peachy."

"Quit lying to me," the voice continued, chuckling a bit. "I know your type. Thinking you can cover up something so obvious. But don't worry. As long as I'm here, everything is going to be just fine."

"It is?" Kaos asked.

"Of course," the voice continued. "Perhaps someone from another world can explain things a little better. What was it you were going to tell him, Jevil? If that's your name…"

"Oh, you have no idea, idea!" Jevil laughed, clapping his mittened hands. "I was just about to tell Kaos about how the Rifts from your presence are affecting not just the portals here, but every single world in the universe, maybe even going up and down and far and beyond. The Skylands is just the beginning for a greater conquest, one of which that tears down the cage in the sky and reveals a greater freedom for this world."

"That's right," the voice in the Darkness replied. "With you by my side, we're going to rule the whole universe."

"Did you hear that, Glumshanks? The whole universe!" Kaos exclaimed. "I can see it now: people from other worlds fleeing from my evil presence as I rule them all with the Darkness by my side!"

"But first, you're going to have to keep feeding me that magic," the voice replied, the bright figure within the swirling pillar moving a little bit. "However, the Darkness is too formal of a name for me. Too simplistic and cliché. I was thinking about one that no one has heard for quite some time, but fear will once again enter their hearts when they cower from me… Nefarion."

"And Kaos!" Kaos declared, posing dramatically with his hands in the air.

"Yes… and Kaos," Nefarion replied. "But just one more thing first: Jevil… are you going out to have some fun as usual?"

"Why of course, of course," Jevil answered. "After all… I won't abandon a good playmate. See ya, Kaos, Kaos!" The jester teleported himself out of the room, disappearing from the Sky Eater altogether once more.


Jevil warped himself back into the special area in Cloudcracker Prison where the trophies of the defeated Skylanders filled the room. The jester pulled out the lower jaw he managed to successfully salvage from the Land of the Undead. He walked past his most recent contribution to the collection he started: Lava Lance Eruptor in his trophy form.

"Isn't it strange?" Jevil asked the statue of the lava creature as though it had ears. "How many people regard death as a sense of freedom? A sense of truer purpose? A sense of salvation? And yet here you are: encased in a shell of the ego you idealize yourself with." The jester walked along the cold floor, twirling in place as he danced around the statue of a pink faun holding a large two-end paintbrush with bright colors streaming from both ends.

"Are you too afraid to embrace the cold, dull metal of Death's scythe as she cuts deep into your ripening flesh and harvests the soul trapped within, just waiting to break free?" Jevil asked the trophies in the room. "Would your husks be nothing more than empty shells then? How many stocks would it take to kill each and every one of you over and over and over… until eventually you'll run out of determination… and crumble." The clown looked over to the trophy of some sort of cat-like creature dressed in shamrock-like armor and green crystalline blades.

It was only for a brief second, but Jevil could see an image flash in his twisted head by looking at just that specific Skylander. He saw nothing but a cold blue fire consuming the rubble of what looked like a castle, with a darkened sky blank-full of stars. A cat that looked like a stuffed animal was standing in front of him in the exact same battle pose as that Skylander, except they held nothing in their right hand and a gnarled wand in their left. The cat was covered in rips on their body with cotton sticking out of each one: one on their head, another below their right button eye, and one that completely disfigured their left eye until it was just a black socket that cried fluff. The clothing they wore over their blueish-gray fur was brown and fuzzy, and they bore a scowl on their face.

Jevil's expression changed to slight shock, but his smile slowly returned to him as he dismissed the memory and proceeded towards the pedestal where the slithering snakes slept. The jester drew out the lower jaw he carried along, slowly moving the snakes out of the way. Jevil then placed the mandible and attached it to the ends of the merged portion of the serpents.

The jester pulled out the Book of Dark Magic, chanting once again in the language native to Skylands. The light upon the pedestal flashed bright, with the eight snakes hissing and wriggling as the lower jaw of the mask attached itself. It was truly beginning to look like an all-powerful vizard.

"I hope you'll get all the magic you need, Nightmare King," Jevil spoke. "Once you restore your energy, the Mask will already be prepared for you before my final chaos."

Chapter 100: Trouble in Skylands - Part 3

Summary:

As things are starting to get worse for Skylands, the Super Smash Brothers are doing the best they can to accomplish victory among all who live there. Meanwhile, Kaos is starting to catch onto the fact that there's more out there than just Skylands, leaving him to question his destiny. In a race against time, the story about the forces of evil in Skylands will start to unravel...

Chapter Text

Author's Notes:

Wow! 100 chapters in the span of over two years? That's awesome, even for me!

But yeah… aside from that, thank you guys so much for sticking with me all this time, as well as all the positive feedback and reviews you left behind. It really helped me grow as a writer and an artist, and the criticisms you gave made me improve overall~!

I know updates are slow for the time being, but I can assure you I'm working the best I can. There are going to be more chapters along the way, as well as old and new video game universes and new fighters revealed. To think this story started off as another Subspace Emissary sequel written online shortly before the teaser trailer of Smash Ultimate arrived. It might take a while until the entire story is completed, and once again: thank you for all the positive feedback.


"Alright, people," Cali told the Skylanders. "Are you all ready to go?"

"I'm actually having second thoughts about this whole trip to the Monstrous Isles," Flynn replied. "I mean, I don't wanna get crushed by some Titans walking around like a bug!"

"None of us do, Flynn," Cali advised, aware that the Mabu trying to woo her for her looks trembled upon the thought of a Titan's foot squashing him. "But it's necessary that all of us pitch in to retrieve that pendant Master Eon insists we should get."

"I'll get that Ancients's Eye!" Hat Kid proclaimed, raising her hand as she vowed to volunteer to retrieve it. "Those Titans won't suspect a thing thanks to my small size!"

"Those Titans aren't the only thing you all have to worry about," Hugo explained. "The Trolls living there are savage and vicious, monsters that only hunger for the blood and damned screams of their enemies with no sympathy whatsoever! Even Kaos couldn't control them, so he banished them to the Monstrous Isles in the hopes they would get eaten by the Titans. But rumor has it: they somehow survived and are living on the beaches, waiting for a new day for them to rise with the forces of the Darkness!"

"That's nothin'," Bowser answered, his claws patiently drumming on the handle of his hammer. "My minions are far more dangerous, and I've seen worse from other enemies."

"Yeah!" Sonic added. "We'll clobber these guys by a tenfold into next week!"

"But what about the academy?" Jet-Vac objected. "A thought has been circulating around my head that Kaos might learn about what we're trying to do, and he might destroy the Core of Light while he's at it."

"Yeah," Stealth Elf agreed. "As long as that Sky Eater is still out there, we're sitting ducks. Maybe it would be best if some of us stayed behind to look after the Skylander Academy."

"...I think Buzz and Mags already got that part covered," Roller Brawl advised, her pupil-less eyes gazing over to the blue hedgehog as he stuck his thumb up for what she was trying to do. "They may not have any of the ten elements like we do, but they're no pushovers. If they could, they and everyone else living here could fight back against any intruders that plan to destroy the Core of Light."

"And how would you know that?" Alchemo asked, his floppy ears and long tail twitching with exaggeration.

"...Well, judging from these guys, it looks like they can clear obstacles in no time flat," Roller Brawl said in response. "Besides, it's necessary that we all pitch in on our journey to the Monstrous Isles and retrieve that Eye of the Ancients. Personally, it would be best if we all worked together instead of just a couple guys going out and getting squashed like bugs. I mean, you never know what's gonna happen."

"Don't y'all go around worryin' about this here academy's butt!" Mags told the Skylanders, her face poking out from a reasonable distance so they could see her wielding her large wrench like a sword. "Maybe that pink-haired vampire's right. Buzz and I, everyone living here… we will be protectin' this place to the death, no matter what! Now go out there and retrieve that Eye of the Ancients!"

"We won't let you guys down!" Cali replied, saluting the inventor as Flynn started up the ship. "Now let's move out!" The wooden plank was pulled up back onto the large aircraft, and all the Skylanders started the Rift Engines in their vehicles. After getting them warmed up, Viridi's Voice shot out a Life Element Rift in front of the dock, and everyone drove through it while Master Eon's spirit watched from a distance.

"I wish good luck upon the Skylanders, both the remaining SuperChargers and all who have been eliminated," Eon sighed, his gaze fixed on the shining Core of Light. "I just hope the Skylander Academy is in good hands until they return…" As a small clump of clouds and tiny islands passed by above the academy, Jevil watched upon the lack of suspicions of all who lived there. The jester extended his gloved hand, granting permission for one of the spiders released into the institute to float up to him on a string of web and land into his palm.

"Oh, I won't dream of that day, graybeard," Jevil softly spoke as he played with the spider in his hand, his pointed yellow teeth still showing through that grin of his. "At least… not until after the final chaos." The jester disappeared in a white flash shortly after.


The golden sand on the Monstrous Isles was boiling to the point where it could cook the toughest of meat thoroughly, even though the sun was just beginning to set and the temperature in the salty ocean waters was beginning to drop. Tiki torches were laid out across the shores, lighting up pathways to straw huts and large pieces of armor that were as large as a house. A large town made entirely out of sand and shells also stood present. The Rift Pit opened emerged in a large tropical forest beside the beach, and the Skylanders emerged into the bushes while Flynn's ship flew over them.

"Whelp, looks like we're here," Jet-Vac told everyone as he got out of the Jet Stream, pulling out a tablet he carried along to contact Cali in the air.

"Do you all remember the plan?" Cali asked through the transmission.

"Yeah," Sonic replied, sitting on the hood of the Flash Drifter. "Find out where that Eye is, get it, and head back to the academy with it."

"And beware the trolls!" Hugo advised, taking over for Cali in the video chat. "Almost as equally as the Titans… Good luck, Skylanders." The transmission ended, and the vehicles each transformed back into their Rift Engines and placed themselves in the hands of their SuperChargers.

"You all heard what Hugo said," Jet-Vac notified the team, blowing away the large leaves in their way. "We should avoid any danger upon confronting the trolls."

"Anybody want to guess these trolls are gonna be just as ugly as those giants?" Bowser asked, swinging his mallet to tear down the plants in front of him as the other SuperChargers snuck straight ahead. "They might have a disgusting mug filled with warts and possibly deformed bodies, and maybe a personality that tells them to kill and eat their kind because of how awful they look." The Skylanders stopped walking, their faces showing emotions of concern as they stared at Bowser with questionable intent.

"Hey: it could happen to anyone that's been stranded here for how long. I'm just another rookie," Bowser replied. Roller Brawl pushed a bunch of thick leaves in the way, and everyone shielded their eyes from the light shining bright upon the beach. What they found instead of their expectations were short, half-naked trolls that were tanned yellow and wearing grass tutus. Some were relaxing on the beaches under huge umbrellas while others were walking along the shore with coconut helmets and sharpened sticks.

"Hm… Was expecting something else," Bowser corrected. "Oh well." The Koopa King was about to march forward and clobber all the trolls in sight, but Kirby ran up to him and stopped him from doing anything dangerous.

"Poyo poyo poyo-po," Kirby explained in his own language.

"Kirby's right," Fox McCloud advised. "They may be trolls, but they're clearly living their own lives. Best we can do is stay low and not attack instantly."

"How do you even know what this puffball is saying?" Bowser asked. "None of you can understand him… unless you've got telekinesis like Mewtwo." The Smashers and the Skylanders pointed straight ahead, showing the Koopa King that the trolls were simply relaxing on the beach and not so much as attacking anyone.

"Then how do you explain that?" Bowser objected, pointing his claw at a seagull that was just minding its own business until the armored trolls marched up to it. The troll quickly stabbed the seagull before it could fly away, forcing the group to cover their eyes. Kirby slowly came to a sudden realization that maybe he was wrong. The trolls then put the seagull's body in a bag, with the one who killed it communicating through hand gestures and grunts to take the sack away.

"...They could still not be as vicious as we originally thought," Sonic chuckled with nervousness in his voice. "I mean, they won't attack any enemy on sight unless we're wrong again…"

"Maybe they could work like the Piglins in Minecraft," Banjo advised. "We can only pass safely if we give them something valuable… like a buncha pearls."

"A bunch of pearls?" Mewtwo asked, reading the minds of the trolls to gaze into their deepest desires, which was obviously treasure of any kind. "...Despite how crazy it sounds, I believe this could work…"

"Banjo, I don't know if that might actually- and you're already doing it, aren't you?" Kazooie advised before Banjo plucked several low-hanging fruit from some nearby trees, and he ran out with the gifts to catch the attention of the trolls.

"Uh… hello, fellow... natives," Banjo greeted, sweat dripping down the brown fur on his head. "Lo and behold, we are but simple travelers who bring treasures in the hopes our generosity will be enough to persuade you to let us roam free on the islands ruled by the giants you fear…" The trolls stared at the strangers in confusion, forcing Kazooie to plant her head into her stone dagger-filled wings in embarrassment.

"Whelp, they're dead," Ridley whispered, watching the bear-and-bird duo attempt to persuade the natives.

"Not quite," Alchemo assured, paying close attention to what the trolls living on the beaches were doing. One of the armored trolls took a luscious green fruit from Banjo's arms, sniffing it and examining it.

"This fruit native to Monstrous Isles only," the troll spoke in a slightly strange accent, more sweat pouring from the bear's forehead. "Not uncommon we receive fruits from here all the time. But we take what we can find to appease Titans." The troll grabbed all the fruits from Banjo's arms, allowing another troll to open up a sack so he could pour them in.

"Appease the… Titans?" Kazooie asked.

"Titans have ruled islands for hundreds of years," another armored troll in the small squad explained, bearing nearly the same accent and speech impediment. "We once fearsome monsters that feast on other trolls. Ever since little big-head sent us here, we have been forced to serve all Titans who live here. Now we have forgotten our old ways, but we won't hesitate to fight if treasure from Thunder Tow is stolen."

"Thunder Tow?" Banjo questioned, losing his nervousness as the trolls gave him and Kazooie the scoop.

"King of Titans," a third troll proclaimed. "Hoards whatever we give him as he rests in fiery mountains with his soulmate."

"Then I suppose you know something about an Eye of the Ancients," Kazooie formally interrogated. "Maybe you can understand better this way: some sort of green pendant. We're looking for it since… it's kinda important."

"We do know about green pendant," the first armored troll answered. "It under Thunder Tow's possession. He no part with it, and he command us trolls to kill whoever steal it. However, you are welcome to explore islands and relax. We no attack unless it personal." The other Smashers, Hat Kid, and Skylanders poked out of the trees from the jungle, letting the trolls become aware of their presence.

"Oh, don't worry," Kazooie advised the trolls, turning her head backwards in the hopes her friends would be safe. "They're with us. All those fruits: we're paying for everyone visiting here. Within… the Monstrous Isles…"


The group got a free pass onto the islands after that encounter, and there were wandering inside the sandy walls of the town. The streets were hardly crowded, and every building and bazaar stand was either decorated in different colors of conches or had a roof that was all shell.

"You know, I gotta admit: these trolls really are committed to living in such awesome-looking houses," Sonic figured out, admiring the architecture of the town in so many directions from the Skylanders. "I was kinda expecting them to go crazy after living here all their lives, but… I'm honestly really glad to have seen them evolve like this."

"Well, I'm not glad that there's so much sand," Pit whined like the young child he is, kicking the particles out of his sandals. "I hate it! It's coarse, rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere…!"

"Pit, relax," Stealth Elf considered. "We don't like sand either, but it's kinda the point. We're at a beach town that's made entirely out of sand."

"But how exactly are we gonna get that Eye of the Ancients?" Pop Fizz asked. "And the guacamole? I haven't seen any ever since we got here. Might be false advertising too…"

"Pop Fizz, I don't think these guys even have any cable," Roller Brawl corrected, crossing her arms over her chest. While the Skylanders were wondering what to do around here, Kirby turned towards an alleyway and discovered a couple of trolls carrying baskets full of exotic fruits. The baskets were overfilled, leaving a watermelon to fall to the ground without breaking. The pink puffball's mouth began to water as he imagined the refreshing taste of watery fruit juice invade his taste buds.

"Ah~!" Kirby squeed, his eyes glittering with joy. "Suika…!" The pink demon strayed off from his friends without knowing, and he waddled off towards the alleyway. Mewtwo was the only one who seemed to notice.

"Kirby, get back here!" the Pokémon ordered with his telepathic abilities. This caught the attention of the other Skylanders and the alien girl, who spotted Kirby slipping into the alley.

"We better follow him," Hat Kid informed her friends. "He might have found something interesting." The alien girl dashed straight ahead to follow the pink puffball, and Alchemo and the SuperChargers went after her to see what was all the holdup. After passing through the alleyway, they saw Kirby inhale the whole watermelon and swallow it. The pink alien wiped his lips and chased the trolls that were carrying the baskets, eating the fruit they unknowingly left behind on the ground. Eventually, the group followed the trail of fruits to an enormous cage made out of palm tree trunks tied together with vines and sap, which towered over them by four stories. Inside the cage was a sleeping canine beast that was twice as large as Flynn's ship, bearing shark-like fins that served as wings in a way. The party peaked out to catch a glimpse of the dormant beast, surprised by the massive size of the thing.

"Wowie! That Titan sure is big," Roller Brawl murmured, amazed by how the creature looked as the trolls dumped the baskets of fruit into the cage through the bars that were wide enough for them to pass through.

"I'll say," Fox replied, snatching the tablet from Sonic's back to communicate with Flynn, Cali, and Hugo, who were all in the air waiting for the Skylanders to retrieve the pendant. "Hugo: any idea what that strange creature those trolls are feeding is?"

"I may not have a broad knowledge on Titans, but I believe what you're currently seeing is the terrifying Pterashark," Hugo answered through the transmission. "Think of it like Thunder Tow's and Beachcomber's pet dog in a way. It tends to act playful but destructive, and will only fly back to those two Titans. Maybe you can use that Pterashark to hitch a ride to those Titans, if you're up for the challenge." The transmission ended, leaving the Skylanders with the only option they've got to get to Thunder Tow and steal back the Eye of the Ancients.

"Hey! Looks like the trolls are leaving," Stealth Elf whispered as Mewtwo pulled Kirby back to the team with his telekinesis once the pink puffball got distracted by the fruits lying on the sandy ground. "So what's the plan in getting this mutt to take us to Thunder Tow?"

"Maybe we can find a way of creating some kind of potion that can drug the Pterashark and use it to-" Alchemo explained, pulling out a notebook and sketching out the plan before Pop Fizz interrupted him.

"Made some kind of potion that will get that dog to take us to the other Titans!" the blue gremlin proclaimed, having already worked on a fizzy potion that was colored cyan shortly before Alchemo began to plan things out. "Oh. Looks like somebody had the same idea…" Alchemo closed the notebook with a small bit of jealousy that an older Skylander did the exact same thing.

"This will work," Fox touched on, taking Pop Fizz's potion from the gremlin, along with some fresh-green vines hung on the wall they were hiding behind in. "Alright, listen up: there aren't any trolls right now, but they'll be coming back, which means we have to act fast. I'll be sneaking into the cage while you guys secure all your vehicles. You toss me the strands of rope and I'll tie them all to that monster's collar before feeding him a fruit that's filled with this potion. Hope it works, Pop."

"Don't sweat it," Pop Fizz responded. "Even I dunno if this thing works since I never really tested it on anyone, including myself…"

"Just secure all the vehicles," Fox sighed, tossing his Rift Engine and the rope to Hat Kid before sprinting straight towards the caged, dormant beast. The alien girl threw Fox's Rift Engine onto the sandy ground, respawning the Land Master. Hat Kid threw out different parts of the rope to the Skylanders as they got their own Rift Engines and summoned their vehicles back just so they could tie them up. Once all the vehicles were secure, Sonic grabbed all the ends of each rope and dashed towards the Star Fox mercenary.

Fox squeezed himself through the bars since they were so wide, sneaking past the piles of fruits that were starting to slowly decompose as he tried not to wake up the Pterashark. The anthropomorphic kitsune took out a fresh watermelon and used one of the claws on his fingers to cut a hole into the melon and pour the potion through it.

"Hey, do you need this?" Sonic asked, having already zipped past the wooden bars and offering his close friend the ends of the ropes.

"Thanks, buddy," Fox thanked, grabbing the rope and rubbing Sonic's head for a quick second before the blue hedgehog ran back to the Flash Drifter. The mercenary pushed the watermelon into the Pterashark's massive teeth, hearing the soft growls coming from the Titan's throat. The Star Fox mercenary got up on the Pterashark's back by jumping high, and after he secured all that rope onto the collar he ran out of the cage and got into his Land Master.

"Is everyone ready?" Jet-Vac asked as Hat Kid held on tight to the sky baron's back. The SuperChargers started their engines, with Alchemo climbing onto the Phazon Hunter.

"Hey, it's waking up!" Bowser exclaimed, having noticed the massive beast was slowly opening its eyes and licking its lips.

"Are you sure this potion is going to work?" Pit asked Pop Fizz. "It doesn't look like we can open the cage since there doesn't seem to be a door…"

"The beast's jaws look powerful," Mewtwo telepathized. "Should the creature wake up, it might have enough strength to tear down the cage with ease." Just as everyone prepared themselves, the Pterashark was starting to shake its head and stand up. Its eyes shot wide open, transforming from yellow sclera to spiral-shaped blue eyes. Its face was tinted a slight shade of red, and a furious temper arose from the vicious beast.

"Uh… Pop Fizz, are you sure the potion was supposed to work like that?" Sonic asked. "Because I don't think it was."

"Oh, I'm sure it's fine," Pop Fizz answered, with everyone else getting nervous that the Pterashark was about to go berserk. "I made this potion 100% foolproof, so there is absolutely nothing that can go wrong." Soon enough, something did go wrong as the Titan roared as frighteningly as a tyrannosaurus rex, and it tore apart the wooden trunks bound together to keep it inside with its strong jaws. The colossal beast flew hard and fast through the sandy walls in front of the team, dragging the vehicles tied to its collar without any warning whatsoever.

"Everybody, stay focused!" Mewtwo telepathized, flooring the gas lever on Giratina's Quad as he used his telekinesis to tame the beast as best as he could by tugging on the collar roughly. The Pterashark soared high into the air as a response, yanking the Skylanders and their vehicles high into the sky so hard that all the Land, Sea, and Sky Vehicles were destroyed in puffs of colorful smoke.

"Okay, I have to confess: I did NOT think this through when I made the potion," Pop Fizz apologized as everyone that couldn't fly fell to their deaths hundreds of feet in the air.

"You think!?" Kazooie exclaimed, both she and Pit flapping their wings as hard as they could. Sonic's Air Boots activated and helped him fly, much to his surprise. Jet-Vac and Ridley used their own methods of flight while Mewtwo used his telekinesis to grab the rest of the crew while they caught every single one of the recharging Rift Engines.

"Okay, it was my fault for suggesting the idea to tie all our vehicles to that thing…" Fox sighed in guilt. "I didn't know that it would go crazy."

"Should be sorry, Fox," Hat Kid answered. "Where's Pit?" The Skylanders looked down to see the angel falling below them, surprised that Mewtwo couldn't get them all like before.

"Come on, Gifts of Flight… Lady Palutena… answer my prayers…!" Pit groaned, flapping his white wings harder as he kept falling. The only Pokémon on the team was about to use his psychic abilities to grab the angel, but Pit's wings began to glow before anything else happened.

"Pit, are you alright?" Ridley asked, he and a few of the fighters surprised Pit was finally flying without help once again.

"I… think so," Pit answered, looking at his back in surprise that he was gifted with flight. "But if that's the case, then… Lady Palutena! Can you hear me?"

"Pit…? Pit!" Palutena's voice echoed in worry, the top half of her body coming into view through a golden, transparent appearance. "Thank the stars you're alright, Pit! I've been trying to communicate with you for the past eight hours! Everyone in Skyworld is disconnected from the human realm, and I can't use my own powers to get down there!"

"Yeah… that's kinda why all of us are here," Pit explained. "You see, there's something screwing up the portal network across the multiverse by eating up everything, and we know the source is here at Skylands. We're doing the best we can to get back home."

"Uh, I don't mean to interrupt your little chat, but the Pterashark's getting away," Sonic advised. "We should follow it before we lose the location of Thunder Tow." The group saw the Pterashark soar into the distance, and Mewtwo flew straight after it with all the fighters that couldn't fly trapped within his telekinesis. Palutena's golden figure disappeared without warning, but she was still assisting Pit with her powers as best as she could as he and those that could fly soared straight to where the dog-like Titan was going to rest.


The raw magic inside the Sky Eater was pulsing like a rapid heartbeat, pumping around the bright figure trapped inside it. The individual that was known as Nefarion began to take on a more detailed structure, down to fingers and toes. The face was still blank, but empty red eyes flashed onto his face. Locks of medium-length, messy hair of pale gray with tints of brown glimmered bright, and streaks of the violet magic from the Darkness seemed to clothe the mysterious figure like some sort of hooded cloak.

"Looks like someone's in a good mood for some chaos, chaos," Jevil laughed, having watched the whole transformation by himself. "You really are eager to shed the prison you have been kept in for so long, haven't you Nefarion?"

"Why yes, I am," Nefarion replied, the figure now having the ability to move around freely and even float out of the glassless container keeping the Darkness fueling the Doomstation. "Even though my physical form hasn't fully recovered yet, I can interact with you anywhere on this ship. Shame the Core of Light is still keeping the Darkness inside me trapped here, meaning I can't leave unless I were to… part from it in some way."

"Oh, but I highly digress about your desirable wishes, wishes," Jevil objected, still smiling in front of Nefarion as a spider crawled around his own arm. "I have no clear evidence to back up what I have to say, but a little arachnid told me that the enemies within the goodness of the light are planning to pry an ancient relic from the Titans and apply it to the Core of Light, fully weaponizing the device that holds the darkness at bay. What an easy victory that would be for those Skylanders. Uee hee!"

"That does sound like bad news," the figure answered, his glowing eyes scrunching a bit in suspicion. "How exactly is this going to affect my powers?"

"Greatly, greatly," Jevil answered in a tiny bit of a serious tone while still retaining his goofy grin. "That Core of Light would have been united with the Eternal Light and Dark Sources and have been released to its full potential: purging you from Skylands once and for all. No you means no freedom for these prisoners. No freedom means no conquest. No conquest… means no salvation."

"Thank you for clearing that up, Jevil," Nefarion replied. "I'll let Emperor Kaos know."

"Oh goody!" Jevil giggled, clapping his hands. "Getting the caged little prince involved! Especially when we are close to victory. Oh, the hilarity of it all!" Nefarion disappeared through the ground, and the jester teleported away in a flash once again.

In another room aboard the Sky Eater, Kaos was getting himself prepped up for the big day. He was still in his black robe, but there were piles of clothing accessories and robes lying behind him. He was currently wearing ruffles on his neck and wrists, standing in front of three mirrors to see how good he looked. He didn't like his current appearance one bit, however.

"This still isn't right!" Kaos snapped, pulling the ruffle on his neck off. "No more ruffles! I mean it!" He threw it behind himself, which landed in Glumshanks's face.

"Sir, that's the 400th robe you've worn in the past hour," Glumshanks advised, dragging the ruffle off his face.

"I don't care!" Kaos yelled. "If I'm going to rule Skylands and the universe as the ultimate supreme overlord, I need to look the part!" The Dark Portal Master threw his arms down, shrugging the ruffles on his wrists off as he stared at his butler. Glumshanks sighed in disappointment, asking himself how he was going to clean up all those clothes. Violet flames faded in view upon the mirrors, and the enigmatic entity appeared.

"Kaos!" Nefarion called out, giving the Dark Portal Master quite a scare.

"Ah! Hey, hey! Do you mind!?" Kaos asked, trying to have the stranger respect his privacy by shielding himself even though he was fully dressed in his formal black robe.

"Apparently, we don't," Jevil replied, teleporting beside the Dark Portal Master and frightening him. "Best keep your mouth shut if you want to hear this crucial bit of advice. Take it away, Nefarion."

"Now then… Kaos, have you recently learned that the Skylanders are turning the Core of Light into a weapon? Shame you should have learned that sooner instead of dolling yourself up. They can't be allowed to liberate me from Skylands, and therefore put an end to all I've accomplished for my plan to consume the sky."

"Uh, Mr. Nefarion? Sir?" Glumshanks asked, starting to feel nervous about this whole situation. "If you eat all the sky in Skylands, doesn't that mean there won't be any left?"

"...What kind of argument are you willing to get across, hairless troll?" Jevil asked as he floated in the air with his belly facing the floor, wondering if Glumshanks was becoming self-aware that this was a mistake. "Go ahead. We're all ears, ears."

"Yes, fool!" Kaos repeated. "What's your point?"

"If there's no Skylands, then there won't be anything to be the ultimate evil overlord… over," Glumshanks answered. At first glance, Kaos began to believe his own butler was telling the truth. This benevolent force that became destructive under the hands of the Darkner's duplicitous mind was surely destroying his own destiny: to become the ruler of the Skylands. With Nefarion's desire to eat away all those floating islands, the Dark Portal Master knew who to blame.

"Jevil… could you come here for a second?" Kaos asked. Jevil levitated closer to the Dark Portal Master, and he was grabbed by the neck and pinned on the middle mirror.

"I don't know what kind of game it is that you're playing, but I've had enough," Kaos interrogated, with Jevil still keeping his smile. "Is it true? Are you really going to destroy my evil goals for someone greater than me?"

"Why would we ever crush all that you desire?" Jevil cleared out, pushing Kaos's hands off his tightly-coiled neck. "Think of it as evolving your dreams. Expanding upon them. Helping you get more than you can ever imagine. After all… everything is just a game, game. A simple chaos. It's in your name, isn't it? This world is a fantasy that you can accomplish with a little effort from us."

"...What are you saying?" Kaos asked, loosening his grip on Jevil as his expression changed to one worthy of some knowledge.

"Jevil's right. We haven't even steered you wrong all this time," Nefarion added, the blackened fog concealing the mirrors and revealing galaxies and planets as far as the eye can see. "Skylands is only just one piece of the puzzle. Why settle on that when you can reach out to so many worlds? Each one in their own contained universe with different rules, waiting for you to take full authority over them." Kaos's eyes widened in complete wonder, his jaw about to drop from what he was told was out there.

"Think about it: we'll be freeing the cage around this world to help you discover true freedom and give you the greatest conquest you can ever imagine," Jevil backed up. "Planets orbiting stars, each one in their own timelines. Rifts left and right have been opening up and feeding on information from each magic system, revealing turn-based strategies, hack-and-slashers, run-and-gunners, platformers, metroidvanias, and far, far more. Oh, so many genres that each world holds, holds! And you'll find out all their secrets once you become their emperor." The darkened aura within the three mirrors each revealed Kaos in a finely-detailed black cloak with golden markings while wearing a laurel crown on his bald head.

"Look at me, Glumshanks!" Kaos gasped as he told Glumshanks. "I'm so undeniably regal! It's perfect…"

"And do you know what else would be perfect?" Nefarion asked, coating the Dark Portal Master in a mist of violet. "The destruction of the Core of Light once and for all." Kaos now saw himself dressed in the clothes depicted in the illusionary reflections generated by Nefarion.

"Yes… It would be perfect, wouldn't it? Perfectly evil!" Kaos laughed triumphantly. His troll butler did not like how suspicious it sounded, and he knew action had to be taken if he wanted what was best for his master.

"Maybe it would be better if the Core of Light purged out Nefarion's presence in the Skylands, Lord Kaos," Glumshanks objected, catching the attention of Kaos as he glanced back at the troll speaking up for him in a way he never thought could happen. "Why are you taking their side? You know this isn't right! It's too skeptical for these guys to give you such an opportunity, despite how amazing this all sounds. Please…"

"Of course, there would always be those who would try to push you out of your way to victory, Kaos," Nefarion responded, with the reflections glaring at the troll in disappointment. Kaos himself looked back at the troll butler, unsure of what to do.

"But he… stood up for me," Kaos spoke in a bit of a softer and more cautious tone compared to how loud and demanding he usually was. "Glumshanks has been with me ever since evil college. We were always together, no matter what. If I were to banish him… I don't know what I would have left of him. Whenever we do evil things together, Glumshanks feels less like a tool and more like a… real person. A person that I torture and mutilate for my own sadistic pleasures and goals, but a real person nonetheless." Jevil chuckled in his throat, unable to fathom what Kaos was thinking about his troll butler. The Dark Portal Master looked up to see the Darkner's black sclera light up with yellow pupils, meaning that whatever that clown thought was not good.

"Then why do you still keep him around...?" Jevil asked, ready to use Kaos's argument against him through his own method of manipulation. "A real person wouldn't be physically abused by his own master unless he only wants to see you happy. To you, he may be flesh and bones, but to me… he's nothing but binary numbers and codes designed to lead you astray."

"What do you mean… lead me astray?" Kaos asked.

"What do I mean…?" Jevil responded, sticking his mittened finger at the blunt tip of Kaos's nose. "WHAT DO I MEAN!? What I do mean, little caged prince, is that you have been losing against the light so many times because the likes of that buffoon you call a 'real person' is nothing more than a pawn holding you back! Because that's all he is. A programmed character in a fictional story meant to drive you off-course from winning the game. Can't you see, see? Your world's a fantasy! Anything you do has no sin, and what difference would it make if you drag that troll out of your life?" Glumshanks flailed his hands in front of himself, trying to discourage his lord from making the wrong choice.

"Do you know why I always evade any real danger?" Jevil continued. "It's because I know everything has no real negative consequences because they, in turn, aren't real, real. That troll should know the difference between his own artificiality and the powers you possess to strip him away from your life. Don't you want to erase this pointless world and move on to the next? Once that Core of Light is eliminated, the Skylands would give up hope. Why would you have any reason to hold back now, especially when we are this close to victory? Embrace it! Accept it! You want it, you use it! The one you call Glumshanks… he and everyone else remains ignorant while you have the chance to accept the nonexistence of your world. EMBRACE THE CHAOS, CHAOS! MAKE YOUR OWN RULES! So now that you know the truth of how sad and pathetic the prison you're trapped in is… are you going to quit the game and abandon everything for the likes of him? Or will you take our side and win?"

Kaos looked back at Glumshanks, now knowing what needs to be done. After all he was told, the Dark Portal Master wanted to disbelieve it. But that, in turn, would make him completely fake… wouldn't it? This is what Jevil wanted: to see how he would react to the awareness he was in a game. Then again… why would he give up this opportunity?

"Ooh… you're both right!" Kaos told Jevil and Nefarion, having come to the truth of his own and realizing there wouldn't be a difference if the person holding him back was kicked out of his life. He turned towards Glumshanks, poisoned by what he thinks of his butler now.

"You have always shielded me from the truth, Glumshanks, and now I know why!" Kaos snapped at his troll with a frightening demeanor. "Well, never again! Do you hear me!?"

"They're lying to you, Kaos!" Glumshanks reasoned. "I never planned on doing such things! I just thought what they're telling you is ludicrous! I was just trying to protect you!"

"Don't give me any more excuses, Glumshanks!" Kaos answered in a furious tone, his hands cracking with violet electricity. "I have known enough to realize this is what you came up with after all I've been told! Perhaps a permanent stay with the Skylosers should teach you a lesson not to double-cross me! As my last order to you as your master, stay out of my life because you're fired!" Kaos used the magic of the portals the Darkness consumed on Glumshanks, zapping the troll with magenta lightning bolts until he disappeared in a flash of white with no trace. The Dark Portal Master stepped back, sitting down on the floor in distraught.

"...What have I done?" Kaos asked, his voice calm and trembling over the abandonment of his most trusted servant. He never even got a teary goodbye from him.

"The only thing that had to be done," Jevil replied, the bells on his hat jingling as he looked down at Kaos, placing his hand on Kaos's right shoulder to give him a feeling of comfort. "It won't be long until we've won." Kaos pushed the jester's hand away from him, feeling most infuriated at him saying all those things.

"Now's your chance to conquer Skylands for the taking," Nefarion told the Dark Portal Master. "And the good news is… no one will be around to stop you from destroying the Core of Light before it's too late." Kaos looked up at the jester, aware that he was the one who started all this. From the development of the Sky Eater to driving away the troll, the Darkner was behind it all in some way.

"Jevil… why don't you go destroy the Core of Light for me and never return to Skylands after you're done?" Kaos asked in a calm tone, wrapping his arms around his elbows as a tear of isolation ran down his cheeks. "You helped me tear Glumshanks out of my life. Now I'm doing the same to you. You did more harm than I could ever imagine. Get out. I never want to see you set foot in the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction again." Jevil looked away and floated out of the room without saying another word to his master, still smiling even though he teleported himself out of Kaos's line of sight.


Jevil levitated through the empty corridors, hearing something loudly pulsing underneath the floor he was over while he was quietly humming the lyrics to his own tune. It seemed to be a mix of madness and entertainment, along with the evidence that he was ready to bring something dangerous.

All around the game of life

We laugh and play and revel

Don't fall off the carousel

Or else you'll meet the devil

All his gathered sin begat

The father to the child

What a mess we're in but now

The joker's running wild!

The jester pushed open a steel door on his left, lowering his feet to the ground and walking across a metal bridge trail filled with holes that revealed currents of turquoise water that glowed underneath. The flowing waters stretched out to the size of a football field, and there were metal crates and boats scattered across its surface. Jevil stopped at the edge of the metal bridge, pulling the incomplete Mask of Power out from his cape.

Jevil then unveiled Kaossandra's Book of Dark Magic, setting it alongside the Mask of Power. He pulled out a fresh cod that was still squirming in the J-shaped tail that was constricted around it. The jester unsheathed the Devilsknife from his chest, hooking the cod's mouth with the tip of the blade and dangling it over the end of the bridge. Jevil granted the cod permission to slide off his tilting hook and land into the glowing water, by which the fish swam around and pecked on the brighter currents around it. It began to grow much larger in size, just about ten feet long. It took on a darker shade from its normal pinkish color and grew larger, glowing-cyan fins and glassy eyes. The lower jaw grew larger than its upper counterpart, with fangs sticking out from its bottom lip. Before it could swim away, something much larger emerged from the water, kept in the shadows as several mouths tore through the fish in squishy, wet sounds and left nothing behind but scales and bones that snowed down upon the murky waters below.

"Now that I've caught your attention, attention… did you bring me what I need, need?" Jevil asked the enormous creature in front of him, his Devilsknife fading into dust. Gagging sounds could be heard from above him, followed by a quick barf at the jester's feet. There, coated in yellow saliva and white bile juices, laid a golden artifact that looked like the top face of a draconic humanoid. Its scowl was one that would strike fear into the hearts of its enemies, and jewels were already embedded onto its forehead that represented the colors of the ten elements, strung together in the following order: yellow, cyan, green, gray, brown, red, blue, violet, orange, and indigo.

Jevil grabbed the last piece he needed and wiped the intestinal juices off it, admiring how it glimmered in the faint light. The jester pulled the book away from the incomplete mask with his tail, and he gripped the silver lower jaw with his hand. Once all the pieces of the mask were assembled, Jevil grabbed the book and opened it, reading the words written in it through the native tongue of Skylands once again.

The Mask of Power began to glow and levitate again, binding its golden piece to itself as Jevil finished the incantation and put the book inside his suit. The eight serpents hissed and shrieked, their gemstone eyes glimmering from the magic spreading around them. As the energy of the ten elements illuminated the dark room, the completed mask floated into Jevil's hands.

"Soon, Nefarion's physical form will be restored, and he'll give me and my summoners what we want," Jevil spoke, taking a good look at the mask he accomplished to rebuild. "By this point, he wouldn't even need the Darkness to survive. As for you… I have a different task for you before I depart from this prison forever. A special band of Skylanders will be coming this way to stop Kaos. Even if you fail to win, I'm counting on you to attack them through other methods. I'm aware of what you're capable of, and I want you to give them something that will affect their way of transportation for days to come…" Twenty eyes glimmered in the darkened chambers, followed by ten distinct pitches of soft growling.


The Pterashark was now resting on blackened sand after the effects of the potion wore off, allowing the Skylanders to land near a mountain no problem. Droplets of lava were dripping from the mountain, giving everyone a sense of consciousness in avoiding where they would step as they would climb to the top. Flynn's ship landed on the shore, alerting the group that their Mabu friends were here.

"We heard you guys followed the Pterashark without your vehicles," Cali noted, hopping onto the black beach while Hugo pushed the wooden plank off to act as a bridge.

"Yeah, and it looks like we're gonna have to wait a while until our Rift Engines are recharged," Sonic replied, his thumb brushing over his tiny Rift Engine. "You can thank Fox for the brilliant plan of tying our vehicles to the mutt."

"Would you just get over it already?" Fox sighed. "I said I was sorry."

"Looks like we're going to have to climb up," Mewtwo explained, feeling the pulsing energy of his Rift Engine as it recharged. "It's going to be a while until we can all leave back to the academy. Ridley? Could you take Hat Kid to the top of that mountain?"

"Why should I?" Ridley asked. "I'm probably big enough to get noticed by those Titans."

"Maybe you are, but Hat Kid certainly isn't," Palutena's voice echoed beside Pit, her radiant figure appearing beside her angel again and catching the attention of the Skylanders. "From what I can learn, she's so small the Titans on top of that volcano won't even notice her, even after she gets what you guys want." Hugo, bewildered by the Goddess of Light's transparent appearance, walked up to her with wonder in his four eyes.

"Are you another Portal Master…?" Hugo asked. "You've got a holographic projection like Master Eon, and you seem so wise and just."

"Um… not really," the holographic Palutena answered. "I'm just here giving Pit combat advice like a goddess is supposed to for all her subjects."

"Shame…" Hugo sighed, sitting on the charcoal sand in disappointment. "I was kinda expecting to see another Portal Master to help us fight… especially after hearing the tales that fell over Skylands."

"...What does that mean?" Alchemo asked. A splitting headache then struck the cadet's head like a blow to the head, and it felt like his skull was about to crack in half. All the teammates saw him keeling over on the sand, his fingers clawing through it as cries of agony smarted him greatly.

"What's wrong with him?" Jet-Vac asked, holding Alchemo up straight.

"There was a potion Alchemo took earlier that should bring back all his memories," Mewtwo telepathized, pressing his fingers on the cadet's forehead and easing him with his powers. "Ridley: take Hat Kid to the top of that volcano. Make sure the both of you don't get noticed. The rest of us will have to get back onto Flynn's ship and prepare to leave."

"Leave?" Flynn asked as Mewtwo and Jet-Vac carried Alchemo on-board. "But we just got here! I wanted to see if they got the guacamole Pop Fizz mentioned!"

"Let's go, kid," Ridley told the alien girl, hoisting her onto her shoulders and soaring high into the air. Alchemo groaned in torment, finally starting to remember the last part of his past.


As night fell over the academy, Alchemo wondered when exactly the Skylanders were going to come back. Throughout these three months, he was spending less and less time from the Outlands for his own safety and he was given more work to prepare how to master his alchemy. But he needed to know. The Golden Queen mentioned following Jevil to wherever he was disappearing to, and there's going to be no time to waste.

While a few Skylanders were keeping watch over the place, Alchemo was brewing up some potions he can use to fight back under a dim candlelight. He began grinding up some herbs, reading through Pop Fizz's book on alchemy, and pouring the right amounts of strange liquids into each bottle. The result ended in an explosive burst of colors that just literally blew up in his face. Alchemo wiped the paint-like substance off his glasses, planting his head on the desk. Another failure.

"What am I getting wrong!?" Alchemo groaned. "I followed every instruction in the book, and I still can't get it right! I'm going to fail in every fight I'm in…" The young cadet's floppy ears picked up the sound of rustling far outside his bedroom window, and he quickly scrambled to get a closer look down below. There, right in the garden, he saw none other than the Golden Queen herself sneaking near the outer borders of the academy. But what was she doing here?

Alchemo got on top of the mattress of his bed, prying open the window and wriggling out. He gripped tight to the irregular gaps between each brick on the outer walls and made his way down, not bothering to finish the concoctions he was supposed to learn. Alchemo followed the Golden Queen to a small vault, where she opened it with her glimmering hands. Alchemo hid behind a bush as the Golden Queen's ruby eyes gazed behind her, lowering her suspicions that she was being watched before she climbed into the Villain Vault.

Alchemo followed her in, holding tight to the rocky sides as he climbed down. His barren feet touched the murkiness of the lower portions of the vault, which was almost enough to make him throw up. The young cadet kept still as he looked behind himself to see the Golden Queen approach the transporter to Cloudcracker Prison. But why would she do that? There were strange disappearances going on, and no one was permitted in it for the time being.

"Time to see if that clown's hiding over there…" the Golden Queen told herself, stepping onto the portal and disappearing in a flash of cyan. Alchemo followed her in, warping himself away seconds after she vanished.

The young cadet stepped on something cold and icy, shivering upon the touch. The room was also dark and empty, as though it wasn't supposed to be like that. Last he remembered, there were supposed to be prison cells that were just Traptanium crystals that were perfectly aligned. Instead, there were silhouettes of lumps scattered across the place in the darkened room, and he was unable to make them out in this place.

"Hm… I don't like the looks of this place," Alchemo told himself, his footsteps dragging across the floor as he tried to piece out what exactly happened to the Cloudcracker Prison. He suddenly heard the sound of footsteps in front of him, and he quickly scrambled to hide behind one of the silhouettes. Alchemo peeked out, trying to piece together that it was the Golden Queen herself traveling around the large room, trying to figure out what exactly she stumbled into… just like himself.

"Strange…" the Golden Queen told herself in the belief that she was completely alone as she walked forward. "I've never seen this part of Cloudcracker Prison before, not even during my life sentence here…" While the Golden Queen explored the place, the young cadet snuck beside her, hidden behind the solid structure, until the both of them saw a faint light in the distance.

"Well, that's new," the Golden Queen continued, walking straight towards the glimmering light. Alchemo began to hear strange, native chanting from the same distance as the light, starting to recognize that same tone and voice. He kept himself hidden as he watched the Golden Queen approach the suspicious part in the prison. Just several feet in front of her was Jevil himself, floating in the air in front of something.

Alchemo spied on the jester reading through a strange book, chanting something ominous as red, blue, green, cyan, purple, and orange snakes slithered around each other while a gray serpent was melting itself into whatever that clown was creating on top of a pillar far away from the silhouettes. His yellow pupils stared deep into every word on the pages, feeling the magic in his gloves growing stronger.

"What are you doing!?" the Golden Queen asked. The lights in Jevil's eyes disappeared, and he quickly shut the large book's cover.

"Why, Your Majesty," Jevil spoke, hiding the book behind his back as the Golden Queen stormed towards him. "What a pleasant encounter from the likes of you! I was just admiring my collection of memoirs in this establishment."

"Where are the other Doom Raiders?" the Golden Queen asked, aware this mischievous trickster was hiding something she isn't supposed to know. "Wolfgang, Chompy Mage, Dreamcatcher, where have they all vanished to?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Jevil answered in the form of a question, not showing any signs of fear as the Golden Queen twice his height interrogated him. "I am using the remainder of my time devoted to preparing a surprise for someone I hold very dear to my heart, but not like you'll care…" The Golden Queen noticed the large book Jevil was hiding behind his back, and she quickly grabbed it for analysis.

"The Book of Dark Magic…?" the Golden Queen asked, looking at the jester with more worry in her head. "This belongs to Kaossandra, no doubt. But why would you…? Oh no." Her glittery claws began to flip through the pages at a rapid rate, afraid of what kind of cookie jar Jevil dipped his hand into. Her ruby eyes shot wide open as she found what she was looking for: an image of the Mask of Power. She glanced back and forth from the pages to the serpents, confirming her worst nightmares.

"...You were trying to bring back Nefarion?!" the Golden Queen snapped, shutting the book with anger rising in her voice.

"I thought it would make you happy, happy, Your Majesty," Jevil responded, his forehead glistening with a bead of sweat. "The arrival of someone boisengirls like you have idolized for hundreds of years would surely benefit you in your conquest."

"But that's the monster who enslaved both the darkness and the light, and we only idolized him as someone we should ALWAYS stay away from!" the Golden Queen objected, planting her foot in front of the Darkner. "I have heard the tales about how all the villains before us Doom Raiders feared him. How he had slain both Portal Masters and Dark Portal Masters alike. How he grew into a cruel and sadistic tyrant that feasts upon the countless deaths of innocent victims in ways you can't possibly imagine, and all for sport with no signs of mercy. Legends say that he was such a malevolent and violent king that the only two Portal Masters we know have survived his wrath before it was too late. To think that you would find all this forbidden knowledge in something as simple as Kaossandra's book is something I can't even comprehend!"

"So you know, know about the Nightmare King too, don't you?" Jevil asked, still keeping his smile as he looked up at the Golden Queen. "I guess you're not the only one too."

"Yes! I mean, no! I don't know… All I know is that he doesn't deserve to be released!" the Golden Queen answered. "Unless… this was planned by you all along, wasn't it? That vial containing the last remnant of the Darkness, the whole thing about the Sky Eater, the disappearances of the Skylanders, the way my subjects were acting weird... I knew that Doomstation would spell literal doom among us all! I have had enough of this." The Golden Queen swung her staff at Jevil, knocking him straight into one of the strange statues still hidden in the dark. One of the statues fell down upon the jester, pinning him down on the floor and leaving the Golden Queen to her wishes. She held the book to her left side.

"No one is going to take over Skylands except me," the Golden Queen declared, her right hand glowing with a yellow light as she prepared to attack the incomplete mask. "This universe isn't big enough for two evils. It's time this Mask of Power is liberated for good." The Golden Queen's powers began to charge more, just upon the verge of destroying the Mask of Power once and for all. Before she released it, a dull thud could be heard above her, and her ruby eyes widened in shock. Alchemo gasped in silence as he finally realized it was Jevil himself who gripped on tight to the back of her head. The jester stabbed her straight in the brow with a brown Traptanium crystal, her frightened face running with sapphires for tears of pain and liquid gold dripping from her wound.

Jevil quietly laughed at the back of his throat, floating off the Golden Queen as she dissolved into a white mist. The brown crystal that Jevil used landed on the ground, and the Golden Queen herself was sucked into it, dropping the Book of Dark Magic. Jevil's laughter grew louder and more insane as he picked up the crystal, opened his cape, and slipped the crystal into his outfit.

"You will sure make a fine addition to my collection, collection," Jevil spoke, picking up Kaossandra's book and admiring the seven snakes. "I have a special spot for Kaos among the Skylanders here…"

Skylanders!? Alchemo thought, suddenly feeling the plastic texture of the statue he was hiding behind this whole time. Suction cups, tentacles, pirate-like clothing… the young cadet's eyes widened in fright as he suddenly realized he was hiding behind the frozen corpse of Wash Buckler himself. Alchemo naturally adjusted his vision in the dark, glancing left and right to see the faces of all the Skylanders that disappeared in the span of three months: Tree Rex. Food Fight. Boomer. Hot Head. King Pen.

All of those missing Skylanders were here. In Cloudcracker Prison.

Alchemo slowly crawled away from the jester towards the portal back to the Skylander Academy, fully aware that Jevil spelled trouble for anyone who crossed him, even the best Skylanders they have. That clown was willing to finish something he had planned this whole time, and there would be nothing that stood in his way. And worst of all… he had the nerve to bring back an ancient horror to Skylands.

An empty glass potion slipped out of the young cadet's badges as he tried to escape, rolling in front of him and alerting the jester almost instantly.

"Well, well, well-well-well," Jevil growled like a wolf on the hunt, pulling out his Devilsknife. "Looks like we have a witness, witness. Cheaters that peek behind my deck receive dire punishments… and it looks like I caught you red-handed." Alchemo quickly jumped out of the way before the jester slammed the Devilsknife onto his head. The young cadet sprinted straight for the portal back to the Skylander Academy, throwing a yellow potion behind himself as Jevil chased him down with spades and diamonds. One of those two current suits hit the potion, knocking the jester back with great force into a few of the Skylander trophies to the point where nine Traptanium crystal shards flew out of his outfit and scattered across the floor in different locations, one of which was what the Golden Queen was trapped in.

The young cadet kept throwing potions behind himself to distract the psychotic jester flying towards him in an attempt to make it to the portal. However, once he even stopped in front of the pad, the cyan light was suddenly fading faster than he could react.

"No… no no no no no no!" Alchemo stammered, his hands trying to touch the cyan light before the portal was disconnected. "Where's the portal!? Where is it…?" A heart flew above Alchemo's head and hit the wall, his head jerking backward to see that crazy clown twirl that scythe around his body.

"Now, ain't that a bummer, bummer?" Jevil asked with malicious intent and a toothy grin. "By the time you and I have started playing this game, Emperor Kaos has recently launched his Sky Eater to devour all of Skylands, meaning my plan will go into full effect once that Doomstation gives Nefarion all the power he needs, needs."

"But why are you doing this?" Alchemo asked, his fingers nervously drumming against another potion he had in stock. "The Golden Queen said that the person you're trying to contact is a killer. What even are you!?"

"All I have to say, say is… there are secrets only I can know," Jevil answered. "Here, in my game, I am never letting you go." Alchemo quickly fled the jester as a rain of diamonds fell down upon him. Jevil kept chasing him down by flying close to the ground, forcing the young cadet to knock over the statues of the ones he once saw as teammates by kicking them down. Jevil began to teleport around as statues left and right were falling in front of him, but he slowly began to realize Alchemo was trying to stall him.

The young cadet's breath was picking up fast as he tried looking for a portal that was still active in this place just to get away from Jevil. Just something. Anything! As luck would have it, Alchemo was being chased through the corridors until he entered another room. As all four kinds of suits were about to hit him, the young cadet quickly shut the wooden doors and barricaded them with a heavy desk.

Loud banging and clawing could be heard on the other side as Alchemo scanned the room for a functional portal, and he quickly found one that was beginning to flicker like a lightbulb. He stepped onto it in the hopes that he could be transported anywhere safe into Skylands. The young cadet gasped as Jevil's scythe broke through the barricaded doors, scattering splinters and wood chips everywhere.

"Boo hoo. Boo hoo, uee hee hee!" Jevil mockingly cried, the blade of his scythe dragging across the floor. "How can you refuse, when you are already playing…?" The jester quickly jerked his head to the sound of Alchemo teleporting himself away, and he knew to follow him before the portal shut down.

The young cadet appeared in the village on another island via portal, just about to relax after escaping certain danger. Just when things couldn't get any worse, he suddenly began to pick up the statistics that there were explosions and screams around him. Just before Alchemo suddenly found out this island was under attack from Kaos's trolls, a cyan explosion flung the young cadet forward when he wasn't thinking about who he was running from.

"You aren't supposed to see what only I can see," Jevil laughed, having followed Alchemo all the way here through the same portal he took at the last second. "Now you will be wishing you regret that action." Alchemo began to feel a swarm of black spiders crawl up his arms and legs, and already his arachnophobia was at an all-time high. The young cadet pulled out a gray potion and threw it on the ground, causing a flashbang that temporarily blinded the jester and gave Alchemo a five-second head start.

"If there's any Skylanders here, please help me!" Alchemo called out, trying to avoid the damage caused by the trolls as best as he could while having Jevil's clubs, spades, hearts, and diamonds to worry about.

That island was where he found Astroblast, tried to fly away in his Sun Runner, and got attacked by the jester with a Devilsknife to the head.


Alchemo woke up in shock, gasping for breath as he tried to piece together what exactly happened. He felt Mewtwo's hand back away from his forehead, through which the Pokémon was severely affected by what he saw in that head.

"I remember who I am now…" Alchemo told the teammates around him. Roller Brawl hugged the young cadet in response, happy her student was back.

"We thought we would miss you," Roller Brawl whispered. "We're just glad you remember us again."

"It isn't exactly a happy ending," Mewtwo interrupted, fully aware of what the Golden Queen mentioned. "You know something about Nefarion, don't you?"

"Nefarion, huh?" Flynn asked, running his thumb below his chin. "Whoever this guy is sounds like big trouble."

"You don't say?" Cali replied. "Jevil must be really dedicated to preserving something that would be really useful to us now. Only goes to show he's on no one's side at the moment…"

"Hey, when do you think Ridley and Hat Kid are gonna come back?" Sonic asked, looking up at the top of the volcano. "They've been there for quite a while…"


Ridley's long, metallic bone claws were hanging over the edge of the inside of the volcanic crater, keeping a watchful eye on Hat Kid as she went to retrieve that Eye of the Ancients.

"Just keep your head low and stay out of sight," Ridley whispered to the alien girl, who gave him a sign she understood what he told her. Hat Kid began to climb on a large, pale-red exoskeleton without trying to get noticed. The Titan by which she was sneaking on was relaxing in a lake of hot lava, with a rhino-like plate on his head and miniature, floating broccolis with minds of their own scrubbing off the gunk on his shoulders.

"Listen, Charlene," another Titan that seemed to be a mix between octopus, squid, lobster, and crab spoke in a stereotypical valley girl accent through a conch-like cellphone, relaxing on another part of the lava lake opposite to the lobster-like bodybuilder Hat Kid was crawling on.

"I've been trying to get hold of you for months, and now, like, you're telling me this Kaos person is going to rain on my parade unless Thunder Tow and I leave?" the Titan continued, oblivious to the fact that the alien girl was making her way over to a large, golden trinket hanging around the other Titan's neck.

"Beachcomber, just leave her alone," the lobster Titan told her, building up the cautious factor in Hat Kid's behavioral movement as she gripped tight to the golden chain and climbed down. "She's out of town and there's nothing we can do about it. Besides, why move out of these islands when we've got all the luxury we need? Hey, Broccoli Guys! Did I say you could stop scrubbing?"

"Like, whateva," Beachcomber replied, hanging up her conch cellphone. "I'm not here to indulge in some political agendas, y'know. I'm just here to escape reality with you. Isn't that what vacationing is? Like, I can't escape one minute of realism without Charlene calling me, Thunder Tow…"

"Hey, as long as I'm here running these trolls, that's all that matters," Thunder Tow groaned, reclining on the edge of the volcano and closing his eyes. "Now I just wanna rest in this lava and relax until my shell becomes soggy…"

"Like, yes way," Beachcomber sighed, her tentacle growths lying on the edge of the volcano. "I'll be cruisin' for a snoozin'. Don't wake me up until midnight." Ridley kept watching with anticipation as Hat Kid made her move and got to the center of Thunder Tow's chest. Hanging from his necklace was a green pendant the size of the alien girl, which gleamed underneath the tropical light. Hat Kid held on tight to the outer rim of the pendant, looking down upon the spiritual energies it possessed. Inside that Eye of the Ancients were the Eternal Light and Dark Sources, circling around each other in a harmonious dance.

"What's taking so long?" Ridley asked as quietly as possible. "Just get the Eye and let's go!"

"I'm… trying!" Hat Kid whispered, tugging on the chain the pendant was attached to. "It's… kinda hard to get it off. Can you help me, please?"

"Oh, for the love of-" Ridley softly groaned, flying over to the alien girl and cutting the golden chain in half. Hat Kid grabbed onto the Eye of the Ancients, unable to hold on any longer. The space dragon was quick to react as he swooped down and successfully grabbed Hat Kid and the Eye of the Ancients before he flew down on the side of the volcano.

"Did you hear something?" one of the Broccoli Guys scrubbing Thunder Tow's shoulders asked. Another Broccoli Guy shook his head, continuing to work on washing the Titan.

Back on the blackened beach, Hugo, Flynn, and Cali all got back on board their ship, and all the other Skylanders were crowded on the deck as they waited for Ridley and Hat Kid to return.

"Where do you suppose they could be?" Stealth Elf asked. "We're just about ready to leave…"

"They'll be coming back here eventually," Fox told the elf. "By the time Ridley's got his Rift Engine out, we're getting out of here."

"How can you be so sure?" Jet-Vac questioned. "They might be seafood for those Titans and we wouldn't notice…" The SuperChargers jumped in fright as something heavy landed in the sand, only to be relieved when they saw the Space Pirate holding Hat Kid with the Eye of the Ancients.

"Alright, we got what we came for," Ridley told the gang, throwing his fully-recharged Rift Engine into the water. "Let's floor it back to the academy before any one of those Titans wakes up." The Phazon Hunter emerged from the water, and Ridley got in with Hat Kid on his back. A Rift of the Water Element opened up, and both Ridley's Sea Vehicle and Flynn's ship entered through it.


Mags was wearing her welding mask on her face, using a tiny flamethrower to mend any fissures and cracks on the green shell of the Core of Light. Sharpfin and his Dirt Shark helpers assisted her by tightening every bolt on the ancient relic.

"You know, I must say: you and all the Dirt Sharks are doing a fantastic job prepping the Core of Light for that Eye of the Ancients," Buzz called out to Mags, standing on the sidelines this whole time and still waiting for the Skylanders to return.

"Ya bet!" Mags exclaimed, turning off the welder and pulling off her mask, everyone completely unaware of an ominous silhouette ascending behind the clouds passing through the academy. "Looks like Kaos won't see this one comin'. Just let him try to destroy the Core of Light. We'll be there to whoop his butt into tomorrow!" Suddenly, maniacal laughter could be heard above them, giving Sharpfin and his team quite a scare.

"Well, I thought it was funny," Mags muttered.

"Hello there, prisoners, prisoners!" Jevil called out to everyone in the Skylander Academy, even the Mabu villagers who found shelter here. "Under the last order Kaos has bestowed upon me, I will use the last remainder of my time in this world and destroy the only defense that has protected you from the Darkness for all these years before it awakens to its true potential: the Core of Light!"

"Oh my God… we better get outta here!" Buzz exclaimed, limping back to the academy. Jevil was quick to launch a spade at the Mabu veteran's peg leg, causing Buzz to trip and fall flat on his face.

"Alright, men!" Sharpfin ordered the Dirt Sharks working for him. "You know what to do!" The anthropomorphic sharks jumped high into the air and tackled Jevil to the ground before he used his Devilsknife on the Core of Light. As everyone else living here was running around in panic, Mags bolted straight to Buzz.

"Quick!" Buzz coughed as Mags lifted him up by his waist. "The control panel that operates this island's rocket thrusters is just straight ahead."

"Already on it!" Mags reminded Buzz. "Let's hope Sharpfin and his crew hold that clown back long enough until the Skylanders come back." Just as the inventor said that, all of the Dirt Sharks were scattered into the air by Jevil's brute strength. The jester spun around in a circle, striking all of the Dirt Sharks that attacked him with spades. Sharpfin and his gang fell to the ground, coated in fatal wounds but still alive to cling on.

"Why do all you simpletons cry?" Jevil asked, brushing the dust off his cape and floating towards the Core of Light with the Devilsknife in his hands. "There will be no more tears when all of Skylands dies!" Jevil was just about to reap the Core of Light and destroy it, but a tiny red laser bounced off his blade with great knockback. Several more lasers flew at Jevil, knocking him in the same direction those lasers were flying.

The Darkner got back up on his feet and saw that those lasers came from Fox McCloud, who jumped off Flynn's ship with the other Skylanders by his side. The spiritual form of Eon appeared beside the team, ready to give his best support.

"Your tyranny has gone on for long enough, Jevil!" Eon spoke. "Now it's time we finish this!"

"That's right!" Roller Brawl snapped, ejecting her pink boomerang blades from her arms. "You're gonna pay for what you did to Eruptor and all those other Skylanders!"

"Oh! Oh! Say it ain't so!" Jevil proclaimed, holding his cheeks while looking away with baby eyes as a form of mockery before returning to his usual expression. "Even with a full alliance of just the likes of you, you will still lose the third round."

"Bring it on then!" Bowser roared, small flames fuming out of his mouth as his fingers gripped tight to his hammer. "You're not the first clown whose face I mopped the floor with. Now we're gonna be putting you in a wheelchair when we're through with you!"

"Then so be it," Jevil giggled as the shapes based around all four card suits spawned behind him. "Can you defeat me in this musical battle and save the Core of Light? Cuz if you do so, I'll applaud you for making it this far. Now let's see who the real winner will be in this fight. There's no real strategy to defeat me, so I hope you survive before I unleash my final chaos!"

The jester began unleashing all four suits at the Skylanders. Everyone quickly dodged out of the way while Hat Kid dashed to Buzz and Mags. Roller Brawl and Sonic dashed straight for Jevil as he supposedly sang in multiple voices at once while flinging out diamonds all around himself.

(Up and down and up and down and)

Anything I do is no sin!

(Up and down and up and down and)

Roller Brawl hoisted Sonic into the air so he could kick Jevil with an electrical storm cloud, but the jester was quick enough to react. He was about to impale the squirming blue hedgehog, choking in his grip, with white hearts, but Roller Brawl saved Sonic by throwing her blades at the back of the jester's neck.

(Lead them feed them to the clown and)

So let the chaos begin!

(Lead them feed them to the clown and)

Jevil let go of Sonic and threw out several clubs at the Skylanders trying to hunt him down with projectiles of their own, such as barrels and daggers.

(Up and down and up and down and)

Freedom denies the right to choose!

(Up and down and up and down and)

The blue hedgehog performed a homing attack straight at Jevil, bouncing off and unleashing his lightning kick. The jester was knocked straight into the ground, quickly rolling back up and pulling out his Devilsknife to force the incoming Skylanders to back off. Alchemo crawled over to Sharpfin, pulling him up in the hopes he could still at least walk.

(Lead them feed them to the clown and)

In this game, everyone will lose!

(Lead them feed them to the clown)

Kirby rolled behind himself to dodge a barrage of diamonds, ending up next to Hat Kid, Mags, and Buzz. The alien girl tossed the pink puffball the Eye of the Ancients she carried on her back this whole time, by which Kirby inhaled it and ran back into the fight.

Now we are finally free!

Everyone know the best place to hide

Is insanity!

Jevil danced around in the air, dodging Bowser's hammer swings with the wildest movement before grasping the sides of the mallet that was about to fall onto his face. He pushed the Koopa King back with blunt, icy crystals from his roundhouse kick while he kept singing, fighting, and dodging.

Meanwhile the world will spin!

Hypnotizing, terrorizing

Those locked within!

Jevil felt Kirby's barbed whip wrap around his tail, pulling him straight to the pink demon and he was slammed back and forth on the ground like a ragdoll. Jevil quickly got back up yet again and yanked Kirby off with the flick of his tail, slamming Kirby into the hull of the Core of Light. The severe impact forced Kirby to cough out the Eye of the Ancients he carried inside himself, to which Jevil caught and held on tight to.

Chaos, chaos, let it rain

(All around the game of life)

(We laugh and play and revel)

All these bugs are in my brain

(Don't fall off the carousel)

(Or else you'll meet the devil)

Fox tackled Jevil back onto the ground and rapidly jabbed at the jester's face with his fists while Mewtwo used his telekinesis to pull away the pendant from him. Jevil unleashed a windmill breakdance complete with spades and hearts, only for Ridley to swoop in and drag the Darkner's face across the ground. Jevil kicked the Space Pirate off himself, teleporting into the air and spawning clubs that shot spreading bullets.

I see now a world gone blind

(All his gathered sin begat)

(The father to the child)

That is how I found my mind

(What a mess we're in but now)

(The joker's running wild)

Mewtwo and Pit deflected the bullet's with their methods of reflections, covering for the Inkling, Banjo & Kazooie, and Pop Fizz as they unleashed inky soundwaves, heavy rocks, and explosive potions upon the jester. Jevil unfurled his cape, spreading icicles out of his body and attacking the projectiles.

We're created just to die

(All around the game of life)

(We laugh and play and revel)

Mortal sin's the reason why

(Don't fall off the carousel)

(Or else you'll meet the devil)

Jet-Vac tried vacuuming Jevil towards him with his vacuum-gun, but the jester quickly threw a spade that damaged the sky baron's weapon upon spotting Mewtwo teleport towards the Core of Light with the Eye of the Ancients. Jevil teleported right in front of the Pokémon, blasting clubs through the least amount of expectations.

You can't stop what has begun

(All his gathered sin begat)

(The father to the child)

Might as well have so much fun!

(What a mess we're in but now)

(The joker's running wild)

As all the chaos between Jevil attempting to destroy the Core of Light and the Skylanders protecting it dragged on, Alchemo began pulling the last wounded Dirt Shark out of danger. He tried calming down the panicking Mabu as best as he could, even helping Flynn, Hugo, and Cali get everyone inside.

When the light is running low

And the shadows start to grow

And the places that you know

Cut away the afterglow

Mags and Hat Kid had successfully managed to get Buzz to the wooden deck in front of the academy, by which he balanced himself without using his broken peg leg on the steering wheel. The alien girl and the inventor assisted the Mabu veteran by pressing buttons while Buzz cranked the lever. All of this was going on while Jevil kept singing his heart out during the fight.

There's a light inside your soul

Slowly shrinking in the cold

From the truth deep down you know

And yet darker we will go

Can't you see?

As soon as Jevil was surrounded by all the SuperChargers protecting the Skylander Academy, his yellow pupils glimmered through his black sclera once more, soaring into the air as he was shedding the shapes of the four suits around his glowing body. He ascended far beyond the clouds, and the fighters fixated upon the heavens to see a rain of Devilsknives falling from the sky.

(Up and down and up and down and)

Your world's a fantasy!

(All around the game of life)

(We laugh and play and revel)

(Up and down and up and down and)

Your world's a fantasy!

(Don't fall off the carousel)

(Or else you'll meet the devil)

Pillars of light flashed wherever each Devilsknife landed, dealing devastating blow after devastating blow. One of them managed to knock Mewtwo back and separate him from the Eye of the Ancients he was carrying, and he had no time to protect the pendant as he teleported himself to the Core of Light and protected it with a psychic barrier. It was Roller Brawl who quickly grabbed it and began skating her way towards the green dome.

(Lead them feed them to the clown)

Your world's a fantasy!

(All his gathered sin begat)

(The father to the child)

(Lead them feed them to the clown)

The best place to

(What a mess we're in but now)

(The joker's running wild)

(Up and down and up and down and)

Hide is insanity!

(All around the game of life)

(We laugh and play and revel)

As Buzz, Hat Kid, and Mags helped boost the thrusters moving the Skylander Academy at max speed, Roller Brawl tripped and fell from the turbulence. As soon as the rain of Devilsknives stopped, the Skylanders looked up in fright to see a colossal Devilsknife the size of the entire island fall upon them with the overlying fear that it was going to be something disastrous.

(Up and down and up and down and)

(Don't fall off the carousel)

(Or else you'll meet the devil)

(Lead them feed them to the clown)

(All his gathered sin begat)

(The father to the child)

It was a race against impending doom as Roller Brawl picked up the pendant and quickly skated over to the Core of Light, leaving Mewtwo to open the barrier so she could place the Eye of the Ancients over the geyser of light. The Pokémon flew straight into the air with the scythe by his side, hoping to stop the enormous Devilsknife before it was too late. Everyone else in the Skylander team pitched in with their own powers, hoping to defeat this jester once and for all.

(Lead them feed them to the clown)

UEE HEE HEE!

(What a mess we're in but now)

Your world's a fantasy!

A blinding light engulfed the whole place as the gigantic Devilsknife was just about to land on the academy, and everyone was just fearing for the worst to come. However, the place looked like not a single scratch was located anywhere. Mewtwo was only a few feet above his comrades, and everyone watched as a wounded Jevil with torn clothes and blood marks all over him landed in front of them.

"Did… did we… win?" Roller Brawl asked, moving her hand away from the Core of Light. The Eye of the Ancients was placed on top of it, creating a glorious rainbow made out of the ten elements through the made jewel. The vampireress stepped back, amazed by what she had done.

"I think we did," Sonic answered, walking up to Roller Brawl and patting her back. Hat Kid left Mags and Buzz to meet up with the other Skylanders, and everyone else taking shelter in the academy opened their doors and windows to make sure everything was safe.

"Yes!" Pit laughed, twirling around in place with joy. "We actually turned the Core of Light into a weapon!"

"Skylands is saved!" one Mabu declared. "We've uncovered the Core of Light's true function!"

"Thank you, Skylanders!" another Mabu replied, followed by cheering and applauding from everyone living here. The SuperChargers all thought they did a good job, and they could finally relax after the Core of Light was prepared to destroy the Sky Eater once and for all.

That is… until they heard soft laughter coming from the injured jester.

"What's so funny?" Bowser asked. "We beat you. We won your stupid game throughout three rounds. At least be glad your kneecaps are intact." Jevil slowly stood back up onto his feet, wobbling as he began to throw up a bit of blood. The jester softly smiled with the intent that he knew something everyone else didn't.

"I didn't say 'OR save the Core of Light,'" Jevil answered. Everyone looked highly suspicious of the clown until they realized something odd had happened to the place by the time it was too late. Rooftops began to crumble upon the academy, cracks were so wide they split a part of the ground in half (that of which also frightened the Mabu villagers a bit), and the Core of Light itself overheated from the slashes on its dome-like structure. It exploded into a horrific, colorful sight, leaving nothing left but burned scrap metal and the ten Eternal Sources.

"No!" Stealth Elf shouted in fright, disappearing in a puff of green smoke and reappearing beside what remained of the Core of Light. "No no no no no! We were so close!"

"But… I… we… what?" Pit stammered in disbelief, he and his Smasher friends examining the damage.

"You know what that means, means," Jevil went on. "It means I take all your victories and add them to my own, which means every round you won was all for nothing. You played the game and you lost, which means I'll play with everyone else too. But not here. This world is already as pointless, pointless as it is. I'll be off in another corner of the multiverse, attending to my other businesses, and I will also be playing with everyone else when I get the chance, chance. Don't worry. You're more than welcome to play again if we ever meet. Until then… buh-bye!" The jester teleported himself out of the place, leaving the Skylander Academy in complete ruin.

While the Mabu and the Dirt Sharks analyzed the damage, the only four veteran Skylanders approached the Eternal Sources with sorrow in their faces. The good news was that the Eternal Sources of the ten elements were still alive. The bad news was that they had nothing left to stop the Sky Eater.

"Hey… we're sorry this happened," Sonic told the Skylanders. "Could… this event have happened because no one from our team was assigned to guard the place? Would things have been different if… you chose to never come with us?" Jet-Vac glanced back at the Smashers, shaking his head.

"It wasn't really your fault," Jet-Vac sighed, his feathered fingers stroking through the Eternal Air Source. "You were just trying to help, like all rookie Skylanders were." A saddened Roller Brawl rolled to Pop Fizz, Jet-Vac, and Stealth Elf to accompany them in their sorrow over defeat.

"We would have lost either way," Roller Brawl answered, her head hung low as all her bright magenta locks became nothing more than the color gray. The vampireress had lost her trait of heroism. The ten Smashers walked away from the quiet commotion with a sign of guilt lingering over them, not paying attention to Hat Kid as she ran over to the four Skylanders.

"What have we done?" Fox asked the group. "This is all our fault. If we hadn't agreed to that stupid game we had to play with Jevil, none of this would have happened."

"We didn't really have a choice," Mewtwo replied. "From the world where he comes from, your decisions don't matter. There is only one ending you can choose, and it has already been routed for you."

"But we can't just let them give up hope!" Pit objected. "This isn't the way the game is supposed to end! The rest of our friends are waiting for us, disconnected in other worlds. Lady Palutena is getting more worried sick by the minute. We could be trapped here forever. I don't want that!"

"Pit's right," Sonic advised the group. "We're still here, meaning the game's not over until we've won. We may have lost against Jevil, but we can still win against Kaos and the Darkness. We just need to find a way…"

"Uh… hello?" a faint voice asked, calling out to help from a distance. "Can anybody hear me? I'm trapped in this vault and I need to get out…" Sonic and Fox could hear the voice beckoning through their enhanced animal senses, and they walked off so they could recognize who it was. Bowser, Donkey Kong, Clementine, Banjo & Kazooie, Ridley, Mewtwo, Kirby, and Pit followed the two anthropomorphic fighters, and they soon made their way over to the Villain Vault, which was somehow untouched by the destruction inflicted upon the academy. Green fingers grasped the bars from the inside of the vault, and the Smashers recognized who was trapped inside.

"Oh, thank goodness," Glumshanks sighed, having been trapped inside the Villain Vault. "I've been trying to call for help the past half-hour. I just woke up here and I can't get out."

"Can you tell us your name first?" Fox asked, wanting to clear up a few things before they go ahead and release the troll.

"Glumshanks," the fired butler answered. "I work for Lord Kaos… well, I used to work for Lord Kaos. After Jevil told him that I was just some sort of robot programmed to take him off the path of righteousness, I was fired and banished here."

"Isn't that good?" Kazooie added. "I mean, we've heard Kaos is rather terrible, from what we heard. Shouldn't you be glad that you're free from him?"

"Not really," Glumshanks confessed. "I live to be of Kaos's service. Wherever he goes, I follow. I actually want to see him claim his dream of taking over Skylands, but… not like this. I know how much you want to get rid of the Darkness, and I support you all 100% despite our differences. That Core of Light sure could have worked if it wasn't for that jester, huh?"

"Alright, quick question: do you know another way to stop that Sky Eater?" Sonic questioned, his arms folded across his chest.

"As a matter of fact, I do," Glumshanks acknowledged. "Well, by knowing another way, I mean I actually don't, but… I know someone who does. Her name's Kaossandra, and I'll help you guys convince her to give you the information you need. You're going to have to get me out of here, though."

"Alright, stand back," Bowser told everyone, swinging his hammer upon the Villain Vault and significantly denting the bars. The Koopa King pried the bars open, and he pulled Glumshanks out.

"Thanks a million," Glumshanks thanked, brushing the black muck off his ragged vest and pants.

"So… anybody up for bringing Cali, Hugo, and Flynn with us?" Ridley asked. "Seems like they'll be the ones carrying the load for us by the time we get what we need to stop that Darkness…"

"I think they're available for the time being," Mewtwo answered. "As for the Hat Kid… looks like she'll be safe here until we return."


The Smashers had just arrived at their destination by their vehicles, with Flynn's ship resting on the edge of the island. The place itself was covered in a dark and gloomy sky, and everyone was standing in front of a humongous and gothic castle that seemed to have a faint pale-yellow aura around itself.

"Can we get going now?" Flynn asked, shivering as he hugged himself for warmth and self-comfort as he and the other two Mabu waited on board his ship. "This place gives me the heebie-jeebies!"

"We're just going to be asking Kaossandra for information," Fox replied as he and the other Smashers walked up the stairs behind Glumshanks. "So… anything we need to know about her?"

"Oh, she loves abusing her own son Kaos whenever he fails to conquer Skylands time and time again," Glumshanks answered. "She tends to spend most of her days alone, but she more often than not invites me over for some tea and snacks. Far better than Kaos, in my opinion. But other than that, she's often cold and calculated. Oh, and would you look at that? She placed a spell over her castle. Great…" Glumshanks and the Super Smash Brothers went up to the large double doors, letting the troll knock on the magical yellow barrier to the tune of "Shave and a Haircut."

"Hey, uh… Kaossandra?" Glumshanks asked. "It's me, Glumshanks. I know we haven't talked for a few months, but… do you think you can open the door for just a brief moment? It's actually very important." A portion of the barrier over the doors vanished, and the lone wolf living in the castle opened the doors and revealed her face to the people in front of her house.

The woman was graced with elderly beauty with some violet eyeshadow on her upper eyelids, a golden choker on her neck, black gloves that covered her arms, and a height that was just about as tall as Ridley if he stood upright. She wore a sleeveless black dress with a large collar that was arranged in more of a V-shaped blouse like a hood. Pink rhinestones were dangling on her chest in the appearance of Kaos's symbol on his forehead. She wore a net that arranged her hair into a beehive wig that looked more like two large horns, and she sported a glare of complete scepticism upon seeing the troll butler with some new faces.

"Oh, great," the elderly woman spoke in a sarcastic tone, recognizing the Smashers as who they currently are. "Skylanders. Just when I thought things couldn't get any better."

"Hi, Kaossandra," Glumshanks greeted the woman, shyly waving his hand. "It's been awhile since we've talked. Look: we really need your help right now, and we don't have any time to waste."

"It's about your son Kaos," Fox McCloud added.

"Oh, that pathetic excuse for a son?" Kaossandra asked. "I don't think I told any of you of how he left me to my own demise, did I? The last time I got in roughs with Skylanders like you, I was trapped in my own mirror. I had to push it over to break out, and it took me ages."

"But we're not like all the other Skylanders you have encountered," Pit advised. "We're new around here. But you're the only one who can help us now. Kaos has built a devastating weapon fueled by the last remnant of the Darkness that entered your world, and we need to stop him before he conquers all of Skylands with it."

"Well, that's none of my business, isn't it?" Kaossandra replied. "At least that brat's doing something useful with his time."

"But it's worse than that," Glumshanks added. "Your son is destroying his own destiny, and it won't be long until EVERYTHING in Skylands is consumed, even your castle. If you don't help us out here, you're going to die along with all of us. Every world and universe out there will be affected because of the destruction of the Core of Light, and there will be nothing to stop him if you don't help us."

"...I don't really care about that," Kaossandra finished. "As long as Kaos is out of my life, I've got nothing to live for. The best course of action, for me, is to just sit back, relax, and leave death to its intentions. You guys are on your own." As Kaossandra was about to shut the doors, Mewtwo activated his telekinesis abilities to get the woman to change her mind.

"I know you remember Nefarion," Mewtwo telepathized shortly before the doors were fully closed. The expression on Kaossandra's face began to change, her eyes widening in surprise as she began to remember that name.

Nefarion.

She began to remember herself as a toddler, crying for her parents as she was surrounded by blazing tongues of fire. Her shoulder-length black hair was messy and sooty, and so were her ragged clothes. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she heard the deafening screams of innocent lives around her. The trauma soon faded from Kaossandra's mind, and she quickly opened the door again.

"...How do you know I remember him?" Kaossandra asked, wondering who reminded her of that horrible memory.

"The Golden Queen mentioned you knowing about him," Mewtwo answered. "She said your book preserved his history. Your face says it all: a feeling of fear, anger, vengeance, and post-traumatic stress disorder. It's something having to do with him, isn't it? This whole thing of the Sky Eater… it must be his plan to return to your world. Whoever he is, we need to know so we can put an end to what he did in scarring you for life. And the only way we can do that… is if we stop the Darkness from devouring our worlds with your help." Kaossandra kept silent about the offer, wondering if it was even right for her to assist these Skylanders from different universes. It wasn't long before she stepped out of her castle and shut the doors behind herself, a scowl of determination gracing her middle-aged face.

"Since I can't even use my powers to get anywhere, I'll be telling you where you need to go," Kaossandra replied, walking down the stairs past Glumshanks and the Smashers. "The item you're looking for is at the Arctic Isle, farther than the Outlands can reach. I'll be telling you what I know about Nefarion when we get there (because trust me: there's so much to go on about), but no funny businesses, okay? Once we're done getting what you need, you're dropping me off back here so I can plot something evil again."

"Understood," Bowser replied as Kaossandra coated herself in a magenta aura and floated onto the deck of Flynn's ship. The Skylanders each got in their own vehicles, with Glumshanks holding on tight to the wing of Bowser's Clown Cruiser. The Giratina's Quad opened up a rift to the Arctic Isle, and all the vehicles drove through it with Kaossandra on their team.


The Undead Rift opened up in the middle of a soft blizzard, and Flynn's ship parked itself in the thin blanket of snow while all the Land, Sea, and Sky Vehicles were parked by their SuperChargers.

"Oh my…" Pit groaned, his body shivering as he hugged himself for warmth while walking up to his friends. "I can't feel my legs. Where are we?"

"You wanted to find another way to seal the Darkness, don't you?" Kaossandra responded, floating off Flynn's ship with her magical abilities and leading the group with Glumshanks by her side. "Follow me, but be careful. You'll never know where you might slip."

"We'll be back, okay?" Sonic told the Mabu trio before he and the other Skylanders walked off. "Just stay right there, alright?" The ten Smashers pierced through the chilling breeze, wondering where exactly they are.

"Welcome to the Arctic Isle," Kaossandra introduced, leading them straight into the entrance of what looked like a castle town. "The main island of an entire archipelago, every single one of them sealed in permanent cold. And for good reason too…" The Skylanders could recognize brick households that crumbled from erosion, with stairs and pathways covered in sheets of ice buried underneath carpets of snow. Ragged crags of obsidian could be seen in random parts of the Arctic Isle, polluted with hellish watchtowers and rotting cloaks mixed in with the armor and bones of many different species, some belonging to creatures never before seen in Skylands.

"So… are you going to tell us about Nefarion?" Fox asked Kaossandra. "What you've got against him?"

"Oh, yeah. The information I promised," Kaossandra replied, her face filled with uncertainty on how they would react. "It's just… I never told this to anyone, and for good intentions too. Now that I'm revealing the story to Skylanders, of all people… it's just…"

"Hey. We can handle it," Sonic replied. "We're from other worlds, so we know how to deal with this kind of stuff. We can handle a little backstory of who we're up against." Kaossandra glanced down at the blue hedgehog reminding her there was nothing to worry about, building up her confidence as she, Glumshanks, and the Skylanders traveled across the Arctic Isle.

"You're probably aware of the whole story of how the Ancients sealed the Darkness back through the Rift Engine it came from, right?" Kaossandra began. "Figured that you had already listened to Fuzzbottom's version of the story since you dragged me all the way here. Do you all remember the Ancients leaving the Portal Masters to guard the portals, and the last remnant of the Darkness corrupted half of them?"

"We've read about it," Banjo spoke in response. "So…. yeah. We kinda do."

"Of course you do," Kaossandra continued, pushing open rusted doors to enter a large castle sticking out of a rugged mountain. "What you don't know is what happened during that war between the Portal Masters and Dark Portal Masters. And trust me: every word I'm saying is as real as it can possibly get."


Do you know why the battle between darkness and light began? Well, the truth isn't as far-fetched as one might sound. After the Ancients built their portals after finally getting the Darkness back to its realm, they left an order of protectors to defend these portals and guard the last remnant of the Darkness, becoming the alliance you know today as Portal Masters. However, half of them became corrupted under the influence of the Darkness, giving into its temptations and declaring war on those that were uncorrupted. Thus began the Great War to determine which side would be the winner: good or evil.

That was when  he  was born.

Nefarion.

Born between the Queen of the Humans and the King of the Vampires, he was an only child that grew up in his father's care after his mother gave up her life to bring him into Skylands. As bad luck would have it, that relationship between Nefarion and his father didn't last long.

Even though the Vampire King needed to teach his son on how to be a good ruler, he had problems of his own to worry about. The last Nefarion heard from his dad was when he went out to fight in the Great War for the unified kingdoms of humans and vampires he helped create. Whether the Vampire King fought alongside the light or darkness, one cannot say. All Nefarion and I know is that a Portal Master had slain him in battle.

It didn't matter which one for Nefarion. He knew both sides were just the same. Since then, the prince became spoiled real fast, relying on his subjects to do most of his dirty work. Kinda like Kaos, in a way. He was eventually crowned king, but even then it didn't matter much for the townsfolk. They laughed at how ridiculous he was on the throne that kept two kingdoms as one, even if he was sticking to the legacy he promised his father he would accomplish.

Big mistake.

As the years had passed, puberty had been kind to Nefarion compared to how he looked before. He had those piercing, narrow eyes, those messy locks of hair, and looks that would make any girl fall head over heels for him. He looked like what you people call "bishounens" nowadays…

Anyway, even though androgynous beauty had been kind to Nefarion, his change in temper didn't. He still had his episodes of outbursts over every little thing, and he would often punish his subjects for them. He still would keep the memory of his father's death, hoping one day to get even with every Portal Master in sight.

One night, Nefarion left his castle with ten Spell Punks by his side, each one based on the ten elements scattered throughout Skylands. He claimed he wanted to start anew in another isle, and he was a bit more… calmer about it than usual. It was as if Nefarion was starting to realize the consequences of his temper and bettering himself into a well-behaved person. Or it may be something else...

Whatever the big deal was, he eventually settled down in a collection of islands, commanding his Spell Punks to infuse the elements of Light, Dark, Earth, Fire, Air, Water, Tech, Magic, Life, and Undead into a mask that would help him control all the elements in Skylands: the Mask of Power.

By the time the Spell Punks were finished, they helped Nefarion unearth the Dark Rift Engine. In actuality, Nefarion knew the whereabouts of the Dark Rift Engine and knew the Mask of Power was the only thing that could help him in one way or another. Just from unearthing that Rift Engine, the Darkness was released into Skylands once more. With the Mask of Power, Nefarion pledged to give eternal servitude to the Darkness in promise for a kingdom that would make even the glorious Portal Masters weep in fear over.

But that was just his plan all along.

With the Mask of Power, Nefarion found a way to break the deal with the Darkness and use his own body to absorb it. His true reasoning behind it was not as a way to obtain the Darkness's powers… but to show that even the dark would cower beside the light by putting it in its place: under his boot. Nefarion, on that day, gave himself a new title: the Nightmare King.

With his newfound powers, Nefarion quickly grew his kingdom into one of terror, and Skylands was met with a fate a million times worse than the Great War. While his armies did simple peasant work by conquering islands and burning down villages, it was Nefarion himself who ended the lives of all he confronted. Innocent lives were taken by his hand, families were separated, prisoners were tortured till death by sport, and he hunted down every single Portal Master on both sides of light and dark to the brink of annihilation. And it lasted for hundreds of years in a way the Skylands had never seen before.

It became known as the Portal Master Massacre.

I was just a little girl born in this unfortunate time. As I tried seeking shelter within the side of darkness, I learned the whole story about his legacy and how he evolved into something much more than that spoiled, pampered prince all those years ago.

He became nothing more than a heartless bastard who just wanted to see civilizations around him crumble and burn. Any signs of sympathy and mercy he once had were torn away by the countless genocides he caused all these years, breaking out into laughter over every group of Portal Masters he killed. The Nightmare King was just a ruthless psychopath who knew what he had become: an emotionless, sophisticated, manipulative murderer.

It seemed all hope was lost for Skylands. The only Portal Masters remaining were a younger version of me, Eon, and a Mabu Portal Master named Wizbit, who successfully managed to tear the Mask of Power from Nefarion's face and split it into ten pieces.

Nefarion was defeated by that point, and he was imprisoned alongside the Darkness in the Dark Rift Engine within his castle. A curse was placed over his kingdom, transforming the home he made for himself into an icy prison and becoming the Arctic Isle you're walking in right now. After Wizbit gave up his life to ensure the Nightmare King would never return, Eon and I went on separate paths despite having never formally met during that time.

While Eon waited for new Portal Masters from other worlds to arrive and determine the fate of Skylands, I spent my life hiding in the shadows. After I found out Kaos was a Portal Master like me, I began to grow more cautious about the day when Nefarion would return. And it won't be pretty if he does… for he knows he'll come back through that last remnant of the Darkness either way.


"Oh my…" Sonic replied after Kaossandra finished her story, all while the group was walking through the abandoned rooms covered in ice leaking from the broken windows. "So I guess the handsome boy pulled an Order 66 upon the Portal Masters, huh? But like, eliminating everyone regardless of which side?"

"I guess you could say that," Kaossandra added. "However, I've got one more piece of crucial advice I'd like to share with you. There are those who have rumored that before Nefarion left, he dreamt he was in another world far different than you and I can imagine. A place that can only be accessed by people gifted with a glimmer of potential according to a being that lives within it: the Lost Zodiac.

"It was highly believed the Lost Zodiac somehow contacted Nefarion and enlightened him on how everything is just a game and how nothing matters if any punishment that follows isn't real. And the Nightmare King was enlightened by the evidence he can remake a new world from the ashes of the old. But we don't know if it actually happened or not. I guess it's up to the future to decide…" Kaossandra lifted up her hands, unleashing a blast of purely concentrated dark energy to burst open a frozen-shut door in front of the group. Once everyone entered, they finally found what they were looking for: a large Rift Engine that was completely black with some hints of a teal color that was trapped within an icy pillar.

"You want a way to push the guy back to where he came?" Kaossandra asked. "With the Dark Rift Engine, it's possible. Let me just thaw it out for you…" The Dark Portal Master unleashed a magenta laser from her hands to melt away the ice, fully exposing the Dark Rift Engine for the taking.

"Now, are you sure this is going to work?" Kaossandra asked as Mewtwo assisted Kaossandra's telekinesis with his own to lift the Dark Rift Engine from its place.

"We're positive," Mewtwo telepathized. "As promised, once we get this engine to Flynn's ship, we will return you back to your castle."

"Good," Kaossandra replied, making sure everyone was following behind her as they left the room with the Dark Rift Engine. "Because I want it to be moderated just as much as you guys, so I'm letting you off the hook for now. If anyone asks if we did this just this once, we're not speaking of it."

"It's a deal," Fox answered.


Again, thanks so much for helping me grow as I worked hard on this. It's been an incredible journey for me reaching this milestone of a hundred chapters. I hope to finish this mini-arc at some point throughout the next couple weeks. Thank you once again~

watch?v=4WQyBHdcTdY&t

DISCLAIMER: I have no rights to the person who came up with the lyrics for Jevil's number (as well as Toby Fox, who did the original composition), and I'm using it under fair use.

The reason why I included it was because I wanted to convey how much fun Jevil is having while fighting against those he calls "prisoners." It goes to show he's not afraid to not hold back his power, and he has no hesitation to declare it's all just a fantasy.

Chapter 101: Trouble in Skylands - Part 4

Summary:

In the conclusive chapter of the Skylanders mini-arc, the Smashers race against time to stage a last-minute ambush upon Kaos. With time running out and the death of all worlds as they know it slowly growing closer, things are becoming more difficult with each passing second...

Chapter Text

The Skylander Academy was becoming tough to repair, but the Mabu were helping the best they could. Jet-Vac, Stealth Elf, Roller Brawl, and Pop Fizz helped out too, but something was off-putting about them. As Hat Kid brought buckets of cement to Sharpfin, she recognized something was still off about them. It clearly had to do with the Eternal Sources, considering the massive damage that had been inflicted on the island and the Core of Light.

"Hey there, lil' kid!" Mags greeted the alien girl as she walked past her with that giant wrench in her hands. "Somethin' bothering ya?"

"Kinda," Hat Kid replied, taking her hat off and pulling her bangs back. "I'm trying to get these Skylanders to fight back and help the Super Smash Brothers, but… they seem too hopeless to do anything. Like their very lives are tied to that Core of Light, and once it's destroyed for good, it… sparks hopelessness in them again."

"Aw, shucks," Mags groaned with a cheerful and encouraging attitude in her voice. "I mean, it's alright. You can always pitch in and rebuild the Core of Light from square one. They shouldn't feel this bummed out. They've still got them Eternal Sources."

"But… there was something about that clown that just rubs me the wrong way," Hat Kid replied, with Alchemo stopping his work to hear the alien child explain something. "Like, he knows that we're just pawns tied to destiny. Like our very lives depend on it. If that destiny is gone… then who are we? If not alone algorithmic beings? I'm not even supposed to be here."

"Come again, sugarcube?" Mags asked.

"I'm not supposed to physically be here," Hat Kid replied. "It's like I know I would lose all my Time Pieces and land in Mafia Town. That I would explore different locations, like Dead Bird Studios, Subcon Forest… even the castle Mustache Girl built. She even said so herself after becoming crazy from having the power to manipulate time. I feel like I know what's going to happen, and yet I play through the easy victories anyway. Mustache Girl even said everyone has the feeling of dying over and over, going back in time to fix each mistake you made. I got all my Time Pieces back, but… for whatever reason I feel incomplete. Like I'm lacking something. Like these people from other worlds aren't supposed to visit me and throw the original progression of my story off-course. Now I don't even know how to get these Skylanders on my side without going back to square one, and even then I can't do that because that Darkness is still out there!"

"...Now now, pumpkin," Mags advised, placing her hand on Hat Kid's head. "I may not know what's with all the whatchimajingies involving time and space, but I got a good feeling that not even the toughest of Skylanders know their destiny is tied to more than just protecting some powerful macguffin. They know where their loyalties lie, and they're gonna defend their world to the death no matter what. But… as far as I know them, they're not gonna give up. They're always gonna fight back for the greater good. So what if that Core of Light ain't coming back for quite some time? They can still take action."

"I know, I know…" Hat Kid sighed, plopping that hat of hers back onto her own head to avoid embarrassment from Mags's comforting advice. "I just hope I can get back to my home planet once the Skylanders did everything. I'm not even one, and I want to persuade them that they can still help out their buddies. Like, they're supposed to be getting out there and finding their pals. Jevil might be right. He may have said this world is pointless, but… there is a way we can get these guys to see their world isn't as worthless as that clown says it is…"

"Maybe I can help…?" Alchemo suggested, feeling rather nervous he was stepping up to the plate. "...I mean, I don't know. I've never really interacted with many people throughout my life. You and I… we have no idea how we're going to convince these Skylanders. They're the last survivors, and none of us are gonna wait around idly until we eventually die." A gray-haired Roller Brawl, upon catching the conversation between the two kids, began to feel rather curious about what they're going on about. Maybe moping about the Core of Light's destruction isn't as important as stopping the one who caused it. Kaos is still out there, and so is all that Darkness.

"Perhaps Alchemo might have something interesting to say for the most part," Eon advised the vampireress, who was watching the Skylander Academy's rebuilding from a few feet in the air. "Skylands is nothing without its Skylanders, even without the Core of Light to protect them. A true hero would keep fighting until it's over, no matter the cost. Perhaps it wasn't your fault you and your friends failed to save the Core of Light…" A bit of the magenta highlight in her ponytail faded in, listening to whatever words of wisdom Master Eon had to offer. They were minimum at best, but they helped her realize there was nothing to worry about if they're still here.

"Even in the darkest of times, your heroism still shines through," Eon chuckled. "The other Skylanders will soon be reminded that Alchemo might have something to say." The young cadet's ears perked up, widely surprised that the spirit of the Portal Master was giving him the chance to speak his mind.

"What?!" Alchemo asked, nervously sweating as he tried to deny what he spoke about earlier as he waved his hands in front of his face. "I was offering a suggestion. I didn't actually mean I was going to give out a motivational speech right now~!"

"Aw, don't worry about a thing!" Mags encouraged, patting the young cadet's back. "It'll come to ya naturally!" Alchemo cleared his throat, starting to get a feeling of doubt that he might screw it up. When he glanced over at Hat Kid, she was giving him reassurance that he was going to say what needs to be said. She knew she would give the best support she can to ensure Alchemo took what he learned for granted, and he exhaled deeply as a result.

"Okay… I know Master Eon might have probably trademarked this, but… Skylanders, unite!" Alchemo called out with a bit of shyness in his voice. Roller Brawl got closer to the younger Skylander to hear what he had to say, with Pop Fizz pitching in as best as he could.

"Or not… depending on how close our darkest times must be and you can take all I want with a grain of salt, but just know we can't give up now," Alchemo continued, still feeling scared about how this was going to turn out. "Look: I understand that the Skylands is weakened without the Core of Light, but it isn't completely defenseless. We're still here. We're still alive. And the good news is: I know where all those Skylanders that have vanished off to are being kept. The guys I dragged with me to this world can't fight back against the Darkness on their own. The longer we idle around, the greater the chance is the Darkness would be too powerful for them to control, and it would be over for all of us." Jet-Vac and Stealth Elf overheard the conversation while they were patching one of the blue roofs, becoming rather curious about what point their only surviving rookie was trying to get across.

"You should all know this, right?" Hat Kid added, attempting to help Alchemo rebuild the confidence among the SuperChargers as they left their current work and listened to what the kids have to say. "You've been defending this place for who knows how long, maybe even since the beginning of this place's existence! It's actually kinda embarrassing that we're just kids telling you this kind of information."

"It… pretty much is," Stealth Elf replied, starting to get humiliated by just the thought alone. "But it wasn't our fault that we forgot. That clown who just showed up in our world began to mess with us a lot. He keeps telling us that everything is meaningless, that everything is just a game that has no major consequences. By the time we die, there would be nothing left of our world."

"Are you going to let the maddening lies of one who has seen no purpose of our existence in general determine your duty to the universe?" Eon helped out, his spiritual form floating down in front of Alchemo, Mags, and Hat Kid. "Are you going to submit to the darkness in your hearts, just as he desires? That creature is playing with your minds, making you think you are more insignificant than you actually are. You have the upper advantage. You know that even if he had managed to destroy the Core of Light, there is more that needs to be taken care of, like Kaos and his Doomstation. The only things Jevil will never have that you all possess are friendship and teamwork, those of which he can never take away from you. As long as you remember the importance of those working alongside you, and you cast out the insanity of those trying to steer you off the path of good, you can do anything."

"Yeah… Why are we even sulking around? We've got a world to save!" Roller Brawl declared, all the color in her hair restoring back to normal as she reconnected with her heroism.

"These new Skylanders need us, and we're gonna need them with our own team!" Jet-Vac proclaimed.

"Then get out those vehicles of yours!" Mags called out. "You wanna rescue your Skylanders?" The four veteran SuperChargers replied with a simple "Yeah!" in boosted confidence.

"You sure you know where everyone is?" Pop Fizz asked, raising his hand to alert the elf, vampireress, and sky baron about his question. "I sure don't…. I think. When is my birthday again…?"

"I think they're all located in Cloudcracker Prison," Alchemo answered, slowly but surely building up his bravery. "I don't know where, but they're somewhere in that place."

"If what you say is true, then…" Jet-Vac replied, aware of what needs to be accomplished. "Stealth Elf! Roller Brawl! Pop Fizz! Alchemo! Comb the academy and gather up every Rift Engine as possible. We're taking a trip to Cloudcracker Prison." The three SuperChargers beside Jet-Vac all ran off towards the remains of the Skylander Academy, determined to put an end to Kaos's shenanigans.

"Are you sure it's gonna work if we all pitch in?" Alchemo asked Hat Kid.

"I don't know, to be honest," the alien girl replied. "Everything is just flying fast before my eyes… and I kinda just want to get back to my ship and start over." Stealth Elf instantly reappeared in a green mist with seven Rift Engines in her hands, Roller Brawl with four, and Pop Fizz with three.

"These are all we found in the garage," Stealth Elf told the sky baron, taking out her own Rift Engine that was glowing with the Life Element. "Now let's take these Rift Engines to Cloudcracker Prison and rescue all our friends." The green elf tossed the Rift Engine into the air and brought out the Stealth Stinger. Jet-Vac, Pop Fizz, and Roller Brawl took out all their Rift Engines and summoned their vehicles, and everyone hopped into the ones that matched them.

"Y'all go on right ahead!" Buzz called out to the SuperChargers from one of the higher towers of the castle, his head poking out a window and alerting the Skylanders he was alright. "Sharpfin and the Dirt Sharks are slowly recovering, thankfully. Mags and I will try to fix this place as best as we can. Now go out there and save Skylands!" Alchemo lifted Hat Kid up to his shoulders, carrying her to Jet-Vac's Jet Stream.

"Looks like Eon's right," Jet-Vac noted, adjusting his helmet. "These rookies may not know it, but they can't do this on their own. We'll be right behind them before the Darkness can whoop them into next week! To Cloudcracker Prison!" A Rift of the Air Element was conjured by the Jet Stream, and the remaining Skylanders with an alien girl all entered through the Rift in their vehicles.


On board the Sky Eater, Kaos was sitting in his floating throne with a sign of regret on his face. He stared out of the window that was giving him a good view of the islands his Doomstation was destroying, watching as they crumbled in front of the void that was sucking them in. His golden-brown eyes began to reveal signs of guilt and worry. A Dark Drow entered the room to deliver the news to his master.

"We had just received word from the Skylander Academy," the Dark Drow explained. "The Core of Light has been destroyed by Jevil. Even though the Eternal Sources have survived, it will be enough to ensure that all hope in Skylands will disappear from your presence."

"...And what about Jevil?" Kaos asked in a softer and more saddened tone.

"He left without another word, glad that he at least got to spend some quality time with you," the Drow went on. "It won't be long until the Darkness has consumed everything, Emperor Kaos." The Dark Portal Master didn't say anything about the situation. He felt as though something was wrong, even though he was close to victory.

"Is there something wrong, my lord?" the Dark Drow asked. "Your silence isn't very reassuring…"

"No, no…" Kaos replied. "Just… leave me to my own devices. I need some time to figure things out."

"I understand," the elf finished, taking a quick bow. "All hail Emperor Kaos." The Dark Drow left the room, and Kaos exhaled a deep sigh as he slid out of his chair. The Dark Portal Master paced the floor, unsure of what to do.

"I just don't get it," Kaos told himself, still keeping his calmer tone. "The Core of Light has been destroyed, the Skylanders are utterly defeated, and this is supposed to be the greatest day of my life. I should be rejoicing and picking flowers for my victory. Why am I feeling that something's wrong all of a sudden?" Kaos glanced at the outside realm getting destroyed in his presence, gazing upon the world he was destined to rule. He didn't care if the place was turned into a wasteland wherever he stepped. He lived for the destruction and chaos that followed. So why was we worried that there wouldn't be anything left?

"I feel so alone," Kaos concluded, lying to himself even. "My mother should be congratulating me on following my own path to conquest! No… that's not it. What would Glumshanks say?" The Dark Portal Master cleared his throat, pretending the old troll had his say on the matter.

"'Oh, Lord Kaos,'" Kaos began with his impersonation of Glumshanks. "'Truly I adore all that you do, and I live to be of your service. It's just that you seem to be at an emotional crossroad on what to accomplish. You see… it is your destiny to rule Skylands. If you were to go as far as possible to rule over the universe and beyond, you would first have to destroy Skylands… therefore destroying your destiny.'" The Dark Portal Master began to suspect that maybe his own butler was right, even through just an impression of the troll alone.

"Hm… no no no, that was a horrible impersonation," Kaos dismissed. "What would- What would Jevil say? Hmm… 'Just think of what a marvelously, undisagreeablyifying chaos that's about to ensue. There's a world beyond that cage keeping you all locked in here by a simulation. The best course of action is to destroy everything in this miserable world and move on to the next. Your destiny stands for much more than that. Don't think you're going to throw it all away for a monster that isn't real, real!'" Kaos groaned at how stupid that impersonation of the jester sounded as he bumped the thenar of his hand on his temple roughly, and he sat in his hovering throne to contemplate that talking to himself didn't help in the slightest.

"Great… now I feel even worse," Kaos sighed, tapping his finger and rubbing his thumb over the blue birthmark on his head. "Glumshanks… I miss you. Please come back…"

"Sky consumption is at 98%," a feminine robotic voice echoed throughout the large, empty room. "Cataclysmic Mega-Rift reactor now charging." A single, red button on a monochromatic platform emerged out of the floor in front of Kaos, blinking slowly as a sign of encouragement to tempt the Dark Portal Master. Kaos's fingers began to tense, a weakened smile grinning across his face as best as it could.

Come on, Kaos! Kaos thought to himself as his forefinger hung over the big, red button. This is your moment to shine! Why are you tensing up this badly? All you have to do is push it and you can rule all that you desire. Are you gonna embrace it or not? Sweat began to run down the Dark Portal Master's forehead, licking his dry lips as he brought his finger closer to the button. This was supposed to be his destiny: the destruction of Skylands. Why was he worrying about it?

"Ngh… Ugh! I can't do it!" Kaos groaned, twisting the lever on his throne's arm to turn away from the button. "I just can't do it! There must be something wrong with me. No no… what if the Sky Eater blows up? Would I die along with all my minions?"

"Something wrong, Kaos?" the voice of Nefarion asked. For a good while, Kaos had completely forgotten about the pulsating magenta spire in the center of the room while he was contemplating his decision. "You don't need to repeat everything. I've already heard every word of it." Walking down the stairs near the center of the chamber was the appearance of someone entirely different. It was clear from the blackened clouds and the faint magenta aura flowing behind him that this was Nefarion himself, only that he looked completely different from every other humanoid creature Kaos had seen.

The being had a straight posture and a thin, graceful body that would tower over the mighty Kaos, wearing steel, dark-indigo boots that scraped and clacked silently across the monochromatic floor. The plates on his boots reached up to his knees, with the upper half of his legs concealed by a pair of black, baggy pants that were held up by a very dark-brown sash belt smoothly wrapped around his waist. His dark-violet long sleeve shirt was tightly swathed in a roguish leather chestplate, and his forearms were clad with metallic gauntlets - bound by black straps - that accentuated his wickedly sharp fingers.

A black, hooded cape bedecked with gray markings nearly impossible to notice flowed behind him, and a pauldron with defining features and embellishing edges was displayed on his right shoulder over that cloak. Inside the shadow of the hood was the androgynous beauty of the Nightmare King himself. Pale skin clear of enlarged pores, messy locks of brownish-gray hair, piercing, narrow eyes with red irises, and a domineering smile with pointed incisors: he had all the bishounen looks that Kaossandra described.

"Ah! Who are you?!" Kaos asked, frightened by the attractive personification of the Nightmare King's true form. "How did you get into the Doomstation!?" Nefarion laughed as the Dark Portal Master was foolish enough to not even know what he looked like.

"You mean you don't recognize me? Nefarion, the Nightmare King?" Nefarion replied, stopping in place as he ran his thumb over the edge of his cloak close to his neck. "To be fair, it's been a while since I've even had a body, and I owe it all to you. Under your guidance, you have reawakened me from death and brought me back to Skylands so that I may strike fear into the hearts of our enemies once more."

"Why… yeah. I guess I did," Kaos added, his right hand grasping his left upper arm. "But I've been thinking a bit: I don't know if we should take action just yet…"

"Kaos… hasn't more than enough of the sky been consumed to open the Cataclysmic Mega-Rift?" Nefarion asked.

"Well… I think we've got enough to destroy Skylands forever, but-" Kaos answered before shifting towards an objection.

"But what?" Nefarion interrogated, teleporting himself close to Kaos and giving the emperor quite a scare due to how terrifyingly close he was in front of him. "What is causing you to hold back the absolute?"

"Well, I was just thinking: what if we savor the moment?" Kaos began, jumping off his seat as he explained his plan. "Drive away all hope of survival from Skylands because we worked together, and rule over them for a hundred years. Two hundred, at least. Maybe three… or four. Because I don't want to exactly press the button until then. We would want it to be slow and painful, wouldn't it?" Nefarion sighed deeply, hardly persuaded by what Kaos had to say.

"Slow and painful?" Nefarion questioned, levitating a few inches off the ground thanks to the Darkness still streaming from his back. "Jevil admitted the truth. I found that truth. What difference would it make if we press the button sooner or later? It's still suffering. If we act now, our job's going to be a whole lot easier. The multiverse will disappear. The Portal Masters will be driven to extinction. Skylands will be gone forever. All you need to do is push that button and fulfill who you are meant to be: the ruler of all creation." Nefarion watched with anticipation as Kaos slowly approached the large button meant to release the Cataclysmic Mega-Rift, his malicious smile grinning a bit wider as the Dark Portal Master got close to the pedestal.

Kaos looked upon the button, still tempting him with the relaxing, reddish glow slowly blinking off and on. The Dark Portal Master's finger hovered over the button, getting ready to press it. He began to wonder if this was what he destiny desired. He wanted to rule over all of those pathetic excuses for civilians, didn't he? It was almost like second nature to him. Kaos glimpsed upon the destruction outside in front of the Sky Eater, watching everything he sought fit to rule disintegrate into nothing more than dust and streams of magic that were drawn through the cracks in the Traptanium armor.

Nefarion turned around until his back was facing the soon-to-be ruler of Skylands, hoping Kaos would come to a solution on his own. In a twist of fate however, the Dark Portal Master clenched his fist and pulled away, completely unaware of what deep end he sunk himself into.

"No…" Kaos replied in a softer tone as he turned around to face the Nightmare King, his voice rising a bit as he went on while leaving nothing surreptitious. "This isn't the way I wanted it to be. Glumshanks is right. I'm probably destroying my own destiny. I want to see Skylands tremble under my control, not leave it to your wishes… whatever they are. I won't be the one responsible for all the damage you will force me to do, and I might as well rule it with a fist that's my own iron. You are nothing more than just a tool designed to assist me. That's what the Darkness has always been. That's what YOU have always been." Nefarion didn't take the news very lightly on the opinion, and his eyes hiding under that hood and hair of his was enough to prove it.

"I... have waited for long enough!" Nefarion roared virulently, turning around and quickly pinning Kaos back in his throne with the strength of a giant. The Dark Portal Master shrieked like a wounded puppy upon being slammed into the back of the chair he was sitting in, frightened that the ongoing relationship between him and the Nightmare King was starting to deteriorate.

"I have kept the Darkness under my control for thousands of years!" Nefarion jumped down Kaos's throat with a sadistic scowl, the red glow in his irises becoming more apparent through the vicious death glare he was giving the small Dark Portal Master. "I was the one responsible for crippling millions of species throughout Skylands! I made a mark in this universe's history as a force not to be trifled with! So don't give me that bullshit excuse that I'm nothing more than your little pet that does whatever you command!" The Nightmare King began to cool his temper down quickly upon noticing Kaos was shielding himself from his remorseless stare, keeping his arms up to avoid fixating on that cold look. Nefarion let go of his grip on the emperor, his boots softly touching the ground as he backed away to give Kaos some space.

"A million pardons for my sudden outburst," Nefarion apologized, reverting back to that calm and sophisticated tone that he had before. "I just never really got the chance to vent all my frustrations in so long… In fact, I have never quite noticed how much you act like me when I was your age. Bratty, pampered, not caring about the benefits of the health of others. My own past reflected in the eyes of a new generation born from the aftermath of what I started. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this."

"Uh… what do you mean?" Kaos asked, his heart beating close to a hummingbird's in terms of the Nightmare King making his flesh crawl from just his presence alone. "What do you think you're doing?"

"I was kinda wondering you would give me an exception after all I've been through," Nefarion responded, his small but malicious grin hidden behind one of the fingers that could claw someone's face off. "Showing me there are those that are up for the cause of fulfilling their lifelong dreams, and that whether on the side of darkness or light they know when to back down. Now I see you're no different from your mother. And that's coming from someone who has seen her cowering before me all those years ago, when she was just a helpless child. How she cried for her parents that weren't even there. She never told you… did she? How much power the Darkness has given you, and how easily it can be taken away."

Kaos felt his breath begin to stiffen and cut short as he felt the birthmark on his head fade away in a wisp of blue. The mark vanished from the Dark Portal Master's forehead entirely, causing Kaos to take fright over feeling completely naked without that mark.

"Ah! My thing!" Kaos exclaimed, throwing punches in the air to strike the Nightmare King with no effect. "What- What did you do to my powers!?"

"I'm just trying to prove a point," Nefarion replied as he walked over to the big red button on the pedestal. "Since when have you always been the one in control?" The Nightmare King slammed his fist on the button, terrifying Emperor Kaos with yet another glance of fear and control as he was starting to interact with the physical realm.

"Reactor core engaged," the feminine voice spoke again as the pedestal sunk into the floor. "Mega-Rift sequence initiated. Utter and complete destruction of Skylands commencing."

"All it took was one push of a button. Not even the tiniest bit of effort," Nefarion replied, walking past a weakened version of Kaos before lifting the small emperor's chin up. "If you really want your powers back, you're going to have to prove to me that you can rule the cosmos under MY authority, otherwise you might just spend the rest of your days just being… yourself. Not that it would matter anyway. Do you want to fulfill your destiny… or do you want me to kick you out of your own hovel just like what you did to Glumshanks? Think about it…" The Nightmare King's daunting gauntlet pulled away from the Dark Portal Master's chin as he walked towards the spire of neon violet and black with quiet, metallic footsteps.

"Intruder alert! Intruder alert! Intruder alert!" the robotic voice repeated across the Sky Eater as a loud alarm blared. Kaos scrambled over to the window to look upon Flynn's ship flying straight towards them at top speed. The glimmering essence of another world flowed from the Dark Rift Engine that was held on tight to Cali, Hugo, and Glumshanks. Flynn himself was piloting the ship as best as he could to avoid the gravitational pull of the growing Mega-Rift in front of the Sky Eater, and the very Skylanders set to destroy the Doomstation were none other than the Super Smash Brothers themselves.

"G… Glumshanks?" Kaos asked, surprised to see the very troll he banished fly straight after the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction with the SuperChargers and Mabu. Nefarion slowly walked up to the Dark Portal Master's side, gazing down upon the SuperChargers delivering the strange relic.

"The Dark Rift Engine," the Nightmare King spoke, walking towards the hovering throne Kaos was sitting in and pressing the button on the seat's right arm. "Attention, minions of Kaos. This is your new captain speaking. Send out all troops across the Sky Eater, both outside and in. Make sure our new guests feel most unwelcome here. As for Kaos… he won't be of my service any longer. Prepare to eject him from the Doomstation."

"Wait!" Kaos objected, frightened that he would be thrown out of the very machine he built with his own army. "Don't throw me out! I'll do anything! Anything! Just give me back my powers!" Nefarion glanced back at the powerless Dark Portal Master, his red eyes remaining narrow as he thought of a way that could appease them both.

"You want your powers back?" the half-vampire asked. "Then take them." The Nightmare King snapped his fingers, and Kaos was hit in the head with a burst of dark energy. The blue birthmark he always bore was brought back, and with it all of his previous Portal Master abilities. Nefarion moved his finger off the throne's button, walking up to Emperor Kaos and glaring down upon him.

"Just so we're clear: you work for me now," Nefarion spoke with a soft but threatening demeanor. "As long as you remain inside the Sky Eater, you pass off my orders as yours. You stall the Skylanders for long enough if you want to remain in the front row of ruling over the multiverse. If you have any objection about that, then I might have no choice but to throw you out of this place… without any powers. Shame you haven't heard what I'm capable of, even without my mask and the Darkness inside me…" Nefarion began to release a menacing and intimidating laugh as he looked outside the large window to watch the Mega-Rift grow faster and larger, proving to Kaos that he's not one to mess with as the Dark Portal Master got on his throne and drove away from the menacing aura of the Nightmare King.


Flynn's ship was starting to get chased down by a massive fleet of Dark Drow aircrafts emerging from the cracks in the Sky Eater's armor, who were already starting to fire homing lasers in an attempt to gun down the ship.

"Uh, okay? Anybody got any repellent for all these bugs right behind us?" Flynn asked, ducking his head as he steered the ship through the darkened clouds.

"Just keep flying, Flynn!" Cali told Flynn, helping Glumshanks hold on tight to the Dark Rift Engine.

"Alright, so… any idea how this Dark Rift Engine thing is gonna work?" Sonic asked, holding tight to the railing surrounding the deck. "I don't think Kaossandra gave us any clear instructions on how to use it!"

"Do you see the levers attached to the Dark Rift Engine?" Hugo replied, curling up close to the back of the ship in order to cope with the turbulence. "They're in charge of opening a Rift that will suck the Darkness back into its realm. And hopefully Nefarion, since I fear he may have returned if Kaossandra is right…"

"You guys need to focus on the mission, alright?" Glumshanks added. "The Sky Eater is protected by pure Traptanium armor, meaning it'll be hard to tear down its defenses without getting to the inside. Our best course of action is to get to one of these Radiance Geodes surrounding that Sky Eater and blow a hole into its armor by detonating its crystals and opening it. They're responsible for protecting the Sky Eater, and when one of them explodes, the Sky Eater's defenses go kaput."

"Radiance Geodes?" Bowser asked, just about ready to use his Rift Engine for the Clown Cruiser to get off the attacked ship. "Where do we even find one?" Fox McCloud looked around to find one, with his visor to assist him in tracking it down. Peeking out from the clouds without being torn apart by the growing Mega-Rift was a massive, asteroid-like satellite festooned with orange-yellow pillars of crystals.

"Bowser! You attack those crystals over there and blow a hole into that Doomstation so Glumshanks and the Mabu can get in," Fox ordered the Koopa King. "Kirby! Pit! The rest of us are going to be riding on your Sky Vehicles so we can gun down all these fleets and help our pals get in safely."

"Already ahead of you!" Bowser told the Star Fox mercenary, jumping off Flynn's ship and flying straight for the colossal Radiance Geode.

"Alright, let's do this!" Pit exclaimed as he and Kirby jumped into their Sky Vehicles and revved their engines. Mewtwo and Ridley took to the skies with their natural methods of flight, while the other Skylanders climbed on the Sky Vehicles that Pit and Kirby were driving. Sonic and Banjo held on tight to the sides of Viridi's Voice, while Donkey Kong, Clementine, and Fox climbed on board the Star Sparkler's wings.

With the exception of Bowser, all the Skylanders flew straight for the massive numbers of Drow-piloted gliders as a means to protect Flynn's ship. Pit and Kirby fired their cannons at the first few batches of aircrafts flying straight after them like a swarm of ravenous locusts. For the other black gliders attempting to gun them down, Fox drew his blaster and started blasting, Banjo and Kazooie threw out stones and daggers, the Inkling released powerful soundwaves from her vinyl discs, Sonic kicked in the air. Each of the SuperChargers that didn't have Sky Vehicles resorted to using their methods of projectiles, such as Mewtwo using his telekinesis to crush the gliders and Ridley spouting fiery lasers from his mouth, and Bowser was busy firing Koopa shells at the crystals surrounding the Radiant Geode.

The Koopa King blasted his way around the massive geode as fast as he could, attacking crystal after crystal until there were none left. Soon enough, the geode began to split in half, revealing a pumping object coated with a honey amber-like substance surrounded by aquamarine crystals.

"Alright, time to blast through that gooey filling and give the Sky Eater some gum to chew through!" Bowser told himself, blasting Koopa shells at the inside of the Radiant Geode. The amber substance began to pulse faster and glow brighter, giving Bowser the warning that the Radiant Geode was about to blow. The Koopa King piloted the Clown Cruiser away from the damaged giant geode.

"You can do this, Bowser!" Cali called out to the Koopa King, by which he could hear her voice coming from Flynn's ship. "Kick that geode into that machine's mouth!"

"Yeah! We believe in you… or something along those lines. But we still believe in you!" Flynn replied. Bowser got out of his Clown Cruiser when he knew all of his other friends were holding Kaos's minions back for him to strike the Doomstation, held the Sky Vehicle's left wing until he was at the right angle, and shot himself off the tilted aircraft like a bullet. The Koopa King took out his flaming hammer and swung it with great force, hitting the exterior of the Radiant Geode and knocking it straight towards the growing Cataclysmic Mega-Rift at the top speed of a maglev train.

The split-second the Radiant Geode passed through the Mega-Rift and barricaded the Sky Eater's mouth-vacuum, a colossal explosion occurred, causing the gigantic magenta vortex to vanish instantly. The Doomstation was slowly tilting backwards after the cataclysmic explosion caused by the Koopa King, who was flying straight into his Clown Cruiser's seat. All that remained was the mutilated mouth of the Sky Eater, leaving itself wide-open for any intruder to fly into.

"Go on already!" Bowser called out to the three Mabu and Glumshanks. "This is your chance to install that strange engine thing right next to that wimpy Darkness! The rest of us will meet up with you in that robot!"

"You heard the Skylander!" Cali told Flynn, by which he spun the ship's wheel accordingly. "Let's go! C'mon! Move!" Flynn's ship was now flying straight towards the terminated mouth, safe from any dangers regarding the massive Rift.


Inside the Sky Eater, Kaos was slowly recovering from the massive impact the Radiant Geode caused, and his expression changed in shock upon finding out the giant hole in the sky was no longer showing up. As for Nefarion, he was not one to admit defeat that easily. As the Nightmare King remained suspended in the air, he descended to the floor and flounced straight for the control panel surrounding the spire of the Darkness while keeping his temper low and his fearsome stride consistent.

"Dammit… these SuperChargers are much tougher than I anticipated," Nefarion sighed, adjusting a few controls on the control panel to send out more troops to attack the invaders. "Oh, Kaos? I understand you have a pet that's been feeding off the magic the Sky Eater has collected. I'll be releasing it upon these trespassers."

"What? A parasite?!" Kaos exclaimed, marching towards the Nightmare King in confused curiosity. "I thought I told my minions to filter the Liquification Chamber of any pests! If a powerful monster like a Hydra is left alone to feed off the magic, it'll have disastrous consequences!" Nefarion didn't so much as turn his head to look down upon Kaos with those narrow eyes to spell danger, and the Dark Portal Master gulped since there was little to no convincing.

"Just for the Skylosers," Kaos nervously chuckled. "Not on us, of course." The Nightmare King chuckled with reassurance that he had control in this place.

"Don't you have any preparing to do?" the half-vampire asked. "By the time these aliens enter the Sky Eater, you'll be the last obstacle standing in their way." Kaos walked back to his throne, giving Nefarion quite an ugly glare when he wasn't looking. The Dark Portal Master sat back in his throne, adjusting the crown on his bald, large head.


"C'mon, everyone!" Bowser shouted at his friends as he readjusted himself in the Clown Cruiser's cockpit and flew straight for the Sky Eater's mouth. "We gotta get this Dark Rift Engine up to that Darkness!" While the other Smashers were surrounded by a huge fleet of more Dark Drow-piloted gliders, Mewtwo recognized that the Koopa King was going in alone to protect Flynn's ship.

The Pokémon's eyes flashed a bright white as he spread his arms open, suspending all the attacking aircrafts in midair. Mewtwo began to spin himself around in the air and use the dark energy around him to conjure up a mighty storm around himself.

"Follow the Koopa King!" Mewtwo telepathized, giving off an aura that the other eight SuperChargers should avoid. "Hurry!" The Star Sparkler and Viridi's Voice flew behind Ridley as they flew past the enemy ships surrounding them. Mewtwo drew his arms close to his chest before spreading them out, releasing a powerful storm cloud with thousands of scythes that looked like the one he carried cutting through multiple aircrafts at a time. The Pokémon warped himself towards the Doomstation as he tried to avoid open fire from the gliders that did survive his attack, even though they were minimal at best and he was already fatigued from the powerful attack he used.

Inside the Sky Eater's mouth, there were a bunch of twisted tunnels and steel trappings, opening and closing like it was the machine's digestive tract. Flynn's ship took complete care of maneuvering in each twist and turn, almost like it could make the rest of the way up the Sky Eater without the Skylanders.

"If we keep going straight ahead, we'll make it to Kaos," Fox McCloud advised the team as he tapped his visor to map out most of the Sky Eater, getting on his feet and adjusting his balance on the flying Star Sparkler. "I think Glumshanks and the crew can manage the rest on their own. But we'll be right behind them in case they get into any danger."

An alarm suddenly began to blare across the Doomstation, alerting whoever's in the Sky Eater at the moment about the invading Skylander team. Suddenly, the faint aquamarine lights began to dim as the muffled shrieks of multiple reptilian beasts could be heard circling around the futuristic-steampunk tunnels the Smashers and Flynn's ship were flying through. Mewtwo could feel the threatening presence of an enormous beast larger than the size of the boat Glumshanks, Hugo, Flynn, and Cali were on, and his guard was kept at an all-time high until the time came for the unidentified animal to strike.

Just seconds before tragedy struck, the Genetic Pokémon used his telekinesis abilities to instantly push the ship forward before metallic rubble fell on top of the Mabu crew and the troll butler. Bowser, Pit, and Kirby all stopped their Sky Vehicles midair to avoid getting crushed by the massive pile of wreckage that ambushed the crew.

"Sonic! Donkey Kong! Anyone! Come in, will you!?" Cali called on the tablet the blue hedgehog still carried in his quills. "What's going on? Where are you guys?"

"We're right here!" Ridley answered, swiping the tablet from Sonic's back and answering the Mabu. "Something just happened, and we're separated from you!"

"Well, go find another way in!" Cali told the flying Space Pirate. "We'll be fine up ahead! Just be careful of whatever caused that accident!" The tablet was turned off, and Ridley tossed it to Banjo and Kazooie. The fighters then began to hear a buzzing sound echo behind them, like a murderous swarm of wasps.

"You have got to be kidding me," Kazooie sighed, recognizing that there was a huge fleet of the aircrafts that attacked before, and they had got the SuperChargers in their sights. Ridley took a good look at the destruction that separated them from Flynn's ship, analyzing that there was something leaking from the sides of where the wreckage came from. Different tints of a glowing liquid tinted with the color of aquamarine covered the massive Traptanium metal scraps with droplets of that kind of fluid.

"Everybody, don't take aim and fire unless I say so," Fox ordered, aiming his blaster at the incoming gliders as all the other Smashers prepared to fight. However, Ridley knew there were far too many to take down, and he might be aware of the safest route possible.

"I've got a better idea!" Ridley objected, snatching the other nine teammates from the Sky Vehicles. The aircrafts Pit, Bowser, and Kirby drove reverted back into Rift Engines again, which floated back into the hands of their drivers. Ridley, thanks to his large size, managed to carry the Smashers through the large crack where the ominous liquid was leaking from. The other room was empty and hollow, with nothing but an entire lake full of this aqua substance that was also littered with metal crates and bridges.

Donkey Kong and Kirby watched as the Dark Drow gliders flew right past the crack without noticing their targets have long been gone. Ridley's grip on the heavier Skylanders was starting to slip, and he knew he needed somewhere to land before he crashes into the strange liquid. The Space Pirate spotted a large bundle of crates down below, and he dived straight for it. All ten Skylanders landed on the crates safe and sound, wondering what kind of section on board the Sky Eater they were in.

"Thanks for the save, Ridley," Pit thanked, stretching his angelic wings and glancing around the place. "Hey… Lady Palutena? Now that you've managed to get back in contact with me, where do you suppose we are?" The golden, holographic head of the Goddess of Light herself appeared beside Pit, ready to give her best advice to the angel.

"Well, I'm no expert on this universe after having not seen this place in a while, but from what I understand, this is the Liquification Chamber," Palutena explained to Pit and his friends. "It's basically where all the magic of Skylands is stored after the Sky Eater consumes it, and it's used as a power source. I'd recommend not drinking that magic since it might be completely dangerous for you, both figuratively and literally."

"Alright, you all know what to do," Bowser told everyone as the Inkling picked Kirby up and lifted him up to her shoulders. "Let's just go straight ahead and reunite with the other guys. I don't want my kingdom destroyed today. And neither my son nor minions are gonna suffer with that big-headed brat around." The group began to journey across the crates straight ahead, unsuspecting of the creature that separated them from the Mabu and Glumshanks following them while it kept itself submerged under the water.

"Hey, um… Fox?" Sonic asked, wanting to get something off his chest since the place was calm for the most part. "You know the whole thing about how my real name was Ogilvie Maurice, how I had twin siblings, and how I was born to a queen? I don't think any of those parts were real to begin with. Just thought I'd clear that out in case you still thought those things." The Star Fox mercenary glanced at the blue hedgehog beside him, not necessarily knowing what to say about the matter.

"Okay…" Fox replied. "Don't really know why you never told me this before, but thanks for some clarification." Clementine gurgled in her language, asking upon a random topic.

"I think Clementine wants to know if there are some things you guys wanna vent about, since we're pretty much alone here," Bowser translated. "I guess I can go ahead and start: I've been trying my damn hardest to be a good father figure after having reunited with my son for twenty years, and I guess we had plenty of time to catch up since we can't necessarily age."

"Clementine's glad she's living in a world where being trendy and fresh doesn't translate to who you are," Mewtwo replied for the Inkling after reading her thoughts. "As for me… I guess I'm starting to remember a little bit of myself before I became Shadow Mewtwo. I was with the Trainer, Pokémon left and right were being torn apart from each other… I could still feel the phantom pain of where the Shadow Synergy Stone was embedded. Pretty basic memories."

"I'm still wondering when I began to fight with you guys instead of against, even after ten years of captivity," Ridley pointed out. "Hope I find out why I'm not as vicious as I once was…"

"Where to begin?" Sonic confessed, looking down upon the magic streaks flowing through the glowing lake and the metal crates. "All I remember is my homeworld and waking up in Arcadia. Suddenly, I had the memories of every world in the multiverse. I've been telling you stories of your feats before you got the memories of them back, I spent ten years captive: one on the side of light and the other in darkness. Next thing I know… I woke up with you guys giving me the scoops on what happened (months after what you remember of me faded away), and I've got some robot hands to prove it under these gloves."

"Sure sounds like you've been through a lot," Palutena's hologram answered. "Any plans you want to do afterwards, Sonic?"

"I don't know, to be honest," the blue hedgehog replied. "I just want to kick back, relax, and let everyone else do other things. I can't be the one always running, especially when I went through so much. Hey, Kirby! Anything you want to talk about?" The pink puffball heard what the blue hedgehog was talking about, but he didn't really know what to say because it was still hard for him to talk.

"Um… poyo poyo-po… gakushū supīchi (learning speech)," Kirby answered as best as he could without pauses. It was rather adorable hearing the pink puffball speak better in another language since it suited him the best.

"So you're learning how to communicate better, huh?" Mewtwo telepathized, having some heart for an innocent creature attempting to talk. "We can kinda understand that." It was only a few seconds before Fox groaned, hitting his gloves hand against his visor.

"This visor's acting up!" the Star Fox mercenary explained. "It must be all this magic that's interfering with my signal."

"Same here…" Ridley pointed out, tapping the tablet he took from Sonic earlier. "All I'm getting is static from this device. Hey, Cali! Glumshanks! Hugo! Can any of you help us?" Just when things couldn't get any worse, the Smashers began to hear the animalistic growls of a swarm of alligators dangerously close to the crate they were standing on… only the growls barely sounded like alligators at all. They sounded like a strange mix between just those and the snarls of a bear, a wolf, a lion, and even an elephant's snore.

"Draw your weapons," Mewtwo telepathized, pulling his scythe out from his back. Palutena's holographic face vanished as Pit aimed his bow for anything out of the ordinary, Sonic pulled up his fists, Banjo & Kazooie got their floating Jiggy-shaped rocks and stone daggers prepared, Bowser tapped his claws on the handle of his mallet, Clementine quietly scratched the ink-coated vinyls by her sides, Fox's fingers twitched as he kept them over his pocketed blaster, Kirby got onto the ground and pulled out his whip, Donkey Kong prepared a spiky barrel to throw, and Ridley scraped the long claws on his boney knuckles against each other.

The team could still hear the strange growls as they got closer, and they began shuffling backwards until their backs were almost touching each other. They kept a watchful eye on the magical liquids filling the Sky Eater, and the beastly noises grew louder and louder… until they eventually stopped. Pit was the only one who could hear the sound of something heavy slowly emerging out of the water, and he slowly turned his head to see the enormous figure creeping up behind the group. The angel's eyes widened in fright, lowering his bow to get a glimpse on how huge and threatening their target was, his voice stifled and gasping for breath as he tried to warn his friends.

"G-G-G-G-Gu-Gu-Guys…" Pit whispered while stammering, catching the attention of Mewtwo and Donkey Kong.

"What is it, Pit?" Mewtwo asked the angel. The Pokémon recognized the fear in Pit's eyes as a sure sign something bad was going to happen, and it was becoming more apparent from the growing shadow behind the team. Mewtwo and shortly afterwards Ridley would glance down on the floor before looking up to gaze upon a massive threat.

"It's… It's a- It's a- It's- It's a Hy… It's a H- It's a Hyd…" Pit continued stuttering, reminding the other Skylanders of what was hunting them down. One by one, each of the Smashers looked up to see what they could assume were ten pairs of eyes in different colors staring down upon them with intimidation.

The monstrous creature's tail slammed in front of the team, having ten tips of different colors that wrapped around each other to coincide with the ten elements combined into one. The whole body of the monster was tinted a charcoal black with violet highlights and markings all over the draconic chest and front legs that were clawing into the crate. The color of the body seemed to fade into ten scaly necks of different dragon species that wrapped and twisted around each other.

One was a cyan amphiptere covered in snow-white feathers, another was coated in sandy rocks with gems for horns, one of the heads was a mix between a phoenix and a fiery dragon with lava cracks in its obsidian skin, and one was more of an aquatic serpent with gills and a fleshy angler. Another was covered in leaves and vines and had branches for antlers, another was a rotting corpse with a chunk of its skull exposed, another had a coat of shiny, violet scales mixed with a flowing frill, and one was entirely robot with cyborg-like eyes and tusks. Finally, there was an angelic head with white scales and a graceful, golden mane, and one more was a dark indigo dragon head with corkscrew horns and a violet mist streaming from its eyes and mouth. And all those heads looked down upon the Smashers with a threatening presence.

"It's a… It's a Hydr- IT'S A HYDRA!" Pit screamed, finally warning his friends of the multi-headed dragon that was just about ready to attack its prey. All of the ten heads lunged down upon its targets, hoping to grab a bite of one of them. The ten SuperChargers fled from the massive creature by climbing over its tail, and the Hydra roared from each of its heads as it crawled over the metal crates.

"Keep running! I'll take care of this beast!" Mewtwo telepathized to the fighters, floating into the air and using his psychic powers to lift the metal crates. The Pokémon threw the crates at the Hydra, attempting to ram them into its skulls with great force. The heads that possessed the Light and Dark Elements fired powerful lasers of gold and magenta to burn the crates into dust, and Mewtwo kept throwing more crates with his telekinesis as he flew behind his teammates.

"What's this guy's deal with us?" Sonic asked the Pokémon, picking up Kirby clinging onto the edge of one of the crates before he lost his stubby grip and fell into the magic-filled lake. "We didn't even do anything!"

"Does it look like it matters to this thing?" Ridley replied in the form of a question, flying overhead to escape from the Hydra like the Smashers. "We're just more food, so it doesn't at all!" The Space Pirate fired a powerful laser from his mouth, which collided with a violet beam breathed out from the head with the Magic Element. Ridley managed to get the upper hand, and the laser he fired collided with the Hydra and created a massive explosion that stopped the icy breath from reaching the Smashers.

"Oh, great," Bowser complained, he and his pals having stopped at the edge of a crate separated from the next batch too far away to normally jump. "Everybody got your golden mcguffin objects? We're gonna be flying off in the air." As each of the Skylanders took out their tiny Dot Engines, the petrifying roars of each Hydra head could be heard behind the fading blast conjured by Ridley. The massive creature flew overhead faster than they could react, knocking each one of them forward over the large metal crate and leaving them moments before they plunge into the lake.

"Our Rift Engines!" Fox exclaimed, having instantly recognized that the golden objects they took out flew out of their hands from the Hydra's powerful impact. Mewtwo tried to use his telekinesis to grab the Rift Engines, but the truck-sized, multi-headed dragon dived down into the glowing lake with the Rift Engines it grabbed in one fell swoop. The Pokémon was forced to suspend both himself and the other nine SuperChargers in midair with his abilities as they were just a few inches from the liquid surface. The Hydra emerged from the watery depths of all that stored magic, its smacking lips from each of those heads giving the Skylanders the terrible thoughts of what that draconic deity did to those Rift Engines.

"Oh, you can't be serious," Sonic groaned in annoyance, fully aware that the Hydra had the nerve to eat those Rift Engines. The only way it could have done that is if it obtained the gift of flight, and it accomplished just that with humongous, bat-like wings sticking out from the back. So the Hydra was basically a ten-headed wyvern, soaring high into the air with its jaws agape for the kill.

The Smashers soon recognized that the Hydra was going to eat them, and Mewtwo could read all their fears of being digested by a multi-headed dragon. The Pokémon used his abilities to throw Donkey Kong onto the head of the Life Element, leaving the gorilla to tackle those vines and branch-like antlers. This had managed to distract the Hydra long enough for Mewtwo to throw his friends at the beast before teleporting himself at the Dark Element head and clinging on tight to its horns. Each one of the Smashers held on tight to the head that matched with their assigned element as the Hydra crashed deep into the aquamarine liquid magic.

"Whatever you do, don't let go of the Hydra or even swallow that magic!" Mewtwo telepathized to the Smashers as everyone was submerged in all that magic with the Hydra they were trying to cling on to. "Now attack that thing with all you've got, but be careful not to cut off its heads! More will grow in place!" Mewtwo hacked his scythe at the back within the liquid magic, Kirby cracked his whip against the head he was on, Sonic attacked with rapid electrical kicks, Fox fired his blaster, Donkey Kong threw a bunch of spiky barrels, the Inkling planted subwoofer turrets that shot orange ink soundwaves, Banjo and Kazooie pelted the iron-tough scales with Jinjo-shaped rocks, Pit slammed his blades into the scales, Ridley slashed hard with his claws, and Bowser slammed his hammer with as much brute force as he got.

The Skylanders kept attacking with their skills before they drowned in the liquid magic, and the Hydra roared from the pain inflicted on its body. The massive dragon swam through the aquamarine magic, its violet marking glowing with raw power as it tapped into the energy the Rift Engines it ate possessed. The Hydra's ten heads created an enormous Rift composed of all ten elements in front of itself, soaring through the white vortex with the full awareness that it needed to shake its prey off first.

Once the liquid magic around the Hydra and the Skylanders flew off, everyone except for Mewtwo (since he didn't require breathing due to his role as a legendary psychic Pokémon) gasped for breath, with Clementine completely traumatized since she didn't even know if she would dissolve or not. Once the Inkling felt she was completely fine, she shielded her eyes from the flashing sunlight and glanced around a bit, shrieking when she found out they were several feet in the air above an ocean of shimmering blue water with a bunch of islands just several miles in front of them.

"Doesn't look like we're in Skylands anymore," Sonic pointed out as he held one of the Hydra's jaws open, kicking some lightning down the throat his target has and looking upon the scenery.

"We're probably at the Alolan Region in my world," Mewtwo corrected, flinging miniature Shadow Balls around himself to back some of the other heads off.

"How do you know it's your world?" Fox asked, tackling the heads with the Undead and Magic Elements. The Pokémon had the time to point towards a migrating flock of Pidgeots flying in the opposite direction of the Hydra, some even slamming into the fast-flying dragon unknowingly. It wasn't long before the Hydra conjured up another Rift, disappearing from the Alolan Region.

The Hydra was soon flying over another world it entered: the greenest green fields, pastel-colored stars embedded into the hills, cute and lovable Waddle Dees and Doos populating the area. Kirby instantly recognized this place, and after muzzling the head bearing the Earth Element with his five-barbed whip he stared out into the distance and found the exact same castle King Dedede lives in.

"Poyo! Poyo!" Kirby told his friends as they were still fighting the flying Hydra, reminding them of what he found before hitting the Hydra head he trapped with a powerful suplex kick.

"Oh, you know this place?" Ridley questioned. "Well, I don't think that would be important now if we let this Hydra know our punches!" The Space Pirate slashed at one of the Hydra's heads the moment the dragon entered yet another Rift, this time soaring over the top of an enormous mountain that was surrounded by a forest on smaller hills.

"How is this monster taking us to so many different places at once!?" Kazooie exclaimed in the form of a question as Banjo kept punching the Hydra's back.

"Who cares?" Bowser replied, breathing fire against the Life Element head while avoiding a deadly mist from the Undead one. "Let's just kill this thing and stop Kaos! What's one little brawl against a massive number of heads on a dragon gonna cause?" What neither the Smashers nor the Hydra knew was that there was some kind of drone with four propellers that picked up everything through its cam.

Somewhere, in another location of this world, a yellow dinosaur-like creature was sleeping with her head in front of a large computer in some kind of lab. She was wearing a lab coat that reached down to her legs and round glasses, and she was instantly woken up by the sound of beeping coming from her computer. The dinosaur jumped up in shock, surprised she got something through that drone. She was soon turning on the computer and looking through the readings, surprised to see the sight of a ten-headed Hydra flying through the air and disappearing through another Rift, with every scanner and reading she hooked up giving her the statistics of something important.

"Un… Undy… Undyne?" the dinosaur stammered as she called to someone outside the lab. "Do you have the phone? I need to call Sans. It's an emergency!"

The Hydra opened a Rift to another world, still attacking the fighters on its back as it flew across a strange new world filled with forests and mountains. Small droplets of the liquid magic the Hydra was soaking itself in fell down onto the forest floor, glimmering as it combined itself with the magic around to create something entirely new. Ashes and dust were drawn in from all corners, swirling around each other until they took the form of a strange man. He looked like an angel that fell from heaven, sporting locks of messy golden hair with orange tips. He wore a gray chainmail bodysuit and yellowish-bronze armor which included the following: a chestplate with shoulder pads, gloveless gauntlets, and boots. Each piece of his clothing gave him the obvious notion that he was a knight, but… he looked at himself in bewilderment and confusion. All he was left with were six unanswered questions while he stood stranded far away from any nearby civilizations…

How is he alive? Why did this happen? When did this occur? Where was he? What is he? Who is he?

The next world the Hydra entered was completely bland and white, showing an ambient background that slowly faded into a light gray on top. The numbers 0 and 1 rained from up above in a light shower, disappearing as they hit a flat, glassy, and possibly infinite landscape. The person living there seemed to be all alone, as though she was the only one in this world. She sported big, black eyes and locks of shoulder-length raven hair with a white band wrapped around the bang on her left. She sported a black tank top and a large, brown belt over her shorts, as well as glossy high heels that stretched over her knees. Last but not least, she wore a white ruffled choker and an ivory-colored coat with black ruffles at the inside of her hood and at the ends of her sleeves and coat.

She was miles away from where the Hydra appeared, but she could spot the creature struggling in the air from ten unknown beings trying to take it down. The woman could tell from the expressions what these warriors were trying to do: kill the dragon with all those heads. The decision to help the Smashers came to her naturally, and she quickly pulled out a strange kind of holographic screen to go through her inventory. She selected a move that allowed her to use two ebony pistols, and she aimed straight for the Hydra that was getting away to yet another Rift to a different universe.

Are you afraid of being something? a text-to-speech voice merged with a child's voice behind her. Behind the black-haired girl was some kind of monochromatic reptilian monster half her height, wearing a light gray shirt with dark gray checker patterns and sporting a tail. They had no arms and two horns on the back of their head, and their eyes were entirely white. The young woman glanced behind herself at the creature, her guns still aimed for the air.

It's not very often that something comes from nothing, the gray character went on. If the multiverse went on without you, would anyone care? Maybe you should stay away from their destiny. It's not really that important. The armless creature disappeared from the woman, simply gone without a trace in the blink of an eye. She lowered her dual guns, watching as the Hydra disappeared from the world she was trapped in. Her footsteps echoed across the empty world as she walked towards the aquamarine droplets of water that landed on the smooth, glassy ground, her black eyes lighting up in interest as she watched several tiny streams of magic flow from the droplets grow slightly bigger.


The Rift Jet-Vac conjured opened up in Cloudcracker Prison, and the four vehicles Pop Fizz, Jet-Vac, Stealth Elf, and Roller Brawl drove screeched across the crystalline floor as they hit the brakes in their vehicles. Alchemo and Hat Kid, who were riding with the Skylanders during that time, climbed off the Jet Stream. The four veteran Skylanders looked around the darkened room, their eyes widening in shock when they had managed to discover the trophies of every Skylander they recognized.

"You see, I had managed to follow the Golden Queen here to this place alone, and she-" Alchemo explained.

"Wait, you followed the Golden Queen here all by yourself?" Jet-Vac asked the young cadet, curious as to why Alchemo would do this dangerous activity on his own.

"Look: all I want you guys to know is that Jevil has been killing other Skylanders and bringing them here for some kind of personal collection," Alchemo went on. "I don't know why that's the reason, but he said he didn't want anyone to know what he was doing. I escaped before I could save anyone."

"My bets are Jet-Vac was about to be taken here," Stealth Elf noted. "If he was going to be put on display for an entire graveyard of exterior decorations, then…"

"Guys!" Roller Brawl cried out to the group. "Eruptor's here!" The team found the vampireress standing in front of Lava Lance Eruptor's trophy form, and her breathing was becoming faster as she recognized what happened to him.

"We have to help him!" Roller Brawl declared, touching the base of Eruptor's trophy form. The vampireress stepped back, she and her friends watching as the SuperCharger's plastic husk began to glow in a red flash traveling upward, glimmering with a fiery aura as the lava creature's body was restored. Eruptor, after having been resurrected by his close friend, fell down with little energy in his body until he was caught in Roller Brawl's arms.

"Oh, my head…" Eruptor groaned, planting his stubby hand on his forehead.

"Eruptor…" Roller Brawl whispered, consumed by the fact that nothing bad ever happened to Eruptor filled her with disbelief and comfort.

"Hey, what are you guys staring at?" Eruptor asked, curious as to why these four veteran Skylanders were looking at him with relief. Roller Brawl suddenly hugged the lava monster in solace, burying her face into his chest while weeping tears of joy that sizzled into mist.

"We're just so happy that you're okay!" Roller Brawl wept as Eruptor was caught in a group hug with Alchemo, Jet-Vac, Stealth Elf, Pop Fizz, and Hat Kid. "I thought we would never see you guys again…!"

"Yeah, well… I'm happy to see you too, even if I have no idea what I'm doing here…" Eruptor replied, breaking the group hug apart. "And look at that. You brought the two kids along with you."

"Yes, but the fact they're here with us is important for all of Skylands," Jet-Vac advised. "The Core of Light has been destroyed by that fiend Jevil, and we need all the help we can get to stop the Darkness from consuming the entire universe. Are you in or out?"

"Why would I be out?" Eruptor answered, transforming his right arm into a lance. "Skylands is in danger! Of course I won't let my friends do all the work! Why exactly are you here again?"

"So we can recruit all our pals back into the team and help the rookies!" Jet-Vac proclaimed. "They need us just as much as we need them. Spread out and revive the other Skylanders!" Hat Kid simply watched as the Skylanders went around Cloudcracker Prison and began reviving everyone that was defeated by Jevil by touching their elemental trophy stands. Various different creatures known to exist across Skylands were brought back in an instant, ranging from anthropomorphic animals and robots to four-legged creatures with wings and/or other body parts.

Stealth Elf was popping up left and right through a green mist, Roller Brawl skated at top speed and smacked her hands on each base, and every one of those Skylanders kept finding more Skylanders to wake up. Alchemo was also reviving every trophy he saw, from King Pen to Hot Head.

"Double Dare Trigger Happy! Does it feel good to be back?" the young cadet greeted like the others he saved, hugging the armored gremlin shortly after bringing him back.

"Me at my best!" Trigger Happy exclaimed, nooging Alchemo's head roughly. The young cadet ran over to the trophy of a strange ent with stumps for hands before he unknowingly slipped on his back after walking over a cyan Traptanium crystal. While the Skylanders he and the other SuperChargers rescued were recovering the rest of the whole assembly, Alchemo managed to crawl over to the crystalline shard for careful analysis. Hat Kid walked over to him, curious as to what he found.

"What is that?" Hat Kid asked.

"It's a Traptanium crystal. And of the pure kind too," Alchemo answered, picking up the crystal. "When merged with an element, it is granted the ability of trapping anyone stabbed with it and using said anyone to a user's advantage. I don't know what happened to the other Doom Raiders, but I've seen it happen to the Golden Queen."

"Doom Raiders…?" Hat Kid asked, reaching below her hat and scratching her head. "What are those?"

"Only the cruelest of the cruel in Skylands," the cadet replied, picking up the Traptanium crystal and analyzing it. "It's an entire legion of our worst enemies. Maybe they can serve some use to us…"

"Hey, look what I found!" one of the recovered Skylanders called out, holding up a golden Traptanium crystal that was sticking out from the waning number of trophies. "What's a Traptanium crystal doing here lying on the ground?"

"Same question!" another Skylander replied, holding up a gray Traptanium crystal.

"Gather them up in the center of the room, and as many as you can," Hat Kid advised the Skylanders across the different corners of the room. "Whatever they are, I'm sure we can find something out about these…" Alchemo looked at the cyan crystal he was holding, thinking he saw Dreamcatcher herself calling for help.

By the time the other eight Traptanium crystals were gathered up and aligned in straight rows by Stealth Elf, Pop Fizz, Jet-Vac, Eruptor, Roller Brawl, and a few others, some of the rescued Skylanders crowded next to Hat Kid and Alchemo. The crystals were organized in the colors of gray, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, cyan, blue, and indigo, referencing all of the elements except for the Magic Element.

"Stand aside," the ent with the stump mallets spoke, pushing some of the Skylanders to the side.

"What are you doing, Stump Smash?" the satyr with the colorful paintbrush asked.

"Them Doom Raiders are trapped in those crystals, and we need all the help we can get," Stump Smash told the team. "We'll be using evil to fight evil." The ent slammed his mallet-arms on the Traptanium crystals, each one of them exploding into different elements as a bright flashed in front of the Skylanders. As soon as the light cleared, the Doom Raiders were brought back, rubbing their heads and looking at each other in complete surprise.

"What in the goddang…?" Chef Pepper Jack asked. "Where the dickens are we?"

"From this cold atmosphere flowing around the room, I would say we're back in Cloudcracker Prison…" the Chompy Mage replied through the sock puppet on his left hand by using ventriloquism before appearing to talk to the puppet in his normal time. "Thanks for telling them, Chompy."

"Hold it!" Wolfgang barked to the other Doom Raiders, aiming his bone harp at all the Skylanders surrounding them in the room. "Perhaps all these Skylanders were responsible for bringing us here just so they could imprison us in this place!" Most of the Doom Raiders readied their weapons and magical abilities, ready to attack without a second thought… until the Golden Queen called off the attack.

"Wait," the Golden Queen told her subjects, pushing Wolfgang's bone harp to the side. "If we try to take them all down, we'll be outnumbered a hundred to one. And if you were stupid enough to see past these odds, then chances are they would lock us up here. Besides, I don't think they would be rescuing us unless they have some explaining to do. Speak, Skylanders. Why did you free us?" The Golden Queen pointed her staff at a few of the veteran Skylanders, to which Jet-Vac was happy to oblige replying to.

"It must be hard to understand, but rest assured: we all hate Jevil just as much as you do," Jet-Vac answered. "We know that whole thing with the Sky Eater is his and Kaos's mess, and we're going to clean it up with as much firepower as we got. A group of ragtag SuperChargers have recently joined the fight, and we're going to help them all out. Just this once, we are going to team up and take down the Darkness, the very force that plans to destroy all of Skylands and leave nothing left." The Doom Raiders exchanged glances, intrigued by how this was going to play out.

"And what's in it for us?" Luminous asked. "We can't necessarily work for you unless we all come to an agreement."

"You have ownership of half of Skylands," Hat Kid declared against the wishes of the other Skylanders, who are all shocked at what she was doing. "But you're going to have to work for it to get it." The faces of each Doom Raider lit up in interest, wondering what kind of deal the little alien girl was trying to make.

"We're listening…" the Golden Queen replied.


The Hydra the Smashers were riding on was traveling through so many worlds in the span of just a few minutes, and already the Smashers were feeling exhausted from attacking the Hydra's back. Even a few fighters, like the Inkling and Donkey Kong, were becoming airsick. The multi-headed dragon flew through yet another Rift, soaring across a world where the sky was covered in a redness of blood that blotted out the sky.

Kirby stopped fighting for a while to look upon the rubbish in the landscape, which consisted of skyscrapers that were strewn across the ground and buried in massive cracks in the concrete roads and ground. The pink puffball crawled over to the Hydra's left just to gaze upon the world that looked the same all around: a planet completely void of life. The pink puffball looked closely upon the only people living in this hellish landscape, completely encased in the shadows around them. And standing in front of these people was Mephiles himself, doing nothing but staring at the SuperChargers attacking the Hydra.

One of the faces concealed in the shadow gave Kirby a grim reminder of the nightmare he had before: the armor of a defeated dragon, the mask with three perpetual horns, the two katana blades. The pink demon's eyes widened in fright upon recognizing the person he saw in his dream: the Dragon King.

Thankfully, Kirby didn't have to worry much as he picked up his whip and continued fighting the Hydra as it flew into another Rift. Once the Rift disappeared, Mephiles watched as the magic droplets that clung onto the beast dripped into the cracks that were oozing with flesh.

"How are all of you feeling ever since you slept in Uryutaluch?" Mephiles asked.

"Never better," the Dragon King replied, him being the only one that wasn't hidden in the shadows like the other six devotees.

"Good," the crystalline hedgehog spoke, crossing his hands in front of his chest as his Insaniton slithered up his spiny back. "Kirst, there's a world where humans and monsters live alongside each other. I have gathered the whereabouts of the Air Topaz, and it's hidden somewhere in a mountain where all those monsters were sealed. By the time we use the magic that fell from that Hydra to our advantage, I'll be taking you there. Understand?" One of the faces within the shadows nodded their head, aware of what to do.


"Ugh… attacking this Hydra is getting us nowhere," Bowser groaned, noticing the Hydra's wounds were quickly shrugged off like nothing. "That's it! We're gonna be cutting off its heads and burning the stumps!"

"Wait," Mewtwo telepathized. "This Hydra is composed of all ten elements. Fire alone won't work, but thanks to my knowledge in elemental weaknesses and strengths we might have a chance."

"How do you know which elements work on which?" Sonic asked, kicking a head in the nose.

"While the rest of you were busy searching for a book on how to combat the Darkness through the Core of Light, I had managed to uncover a book that explores the strengths and weaknesses of each element in Skylands," Mewtwo replied by projecting his thoughts into his teammates's heads. "What I had managed to pick up is this: Earth beats Tech, Tech beats Magic, Magic beats Undead, Undead beats Life, Life beats Water, Water beats Fire, Fire beats Air, and Air beats Earth. Those of you that possess a certain element: cut off a head of a different element that's weak to yours. Make sure the heads don't grow back!" Each one of the Smashers drew out their weapons and ran up the Hydra's back.

Banjo ducked to avoid getting blasted by a powerful laser from the Hydra's Tech head, and Kazooie pulled out a slew of massive daggers to cut off the robotic neck so Banjo could jam the stump with pebbles and gems. Fox McCloud zipped through the Hydra's Magic head in a flash of blue, channeling the power of the Tech Element inside him to automatically upgrade his blaster into a minigun-like weapon with powerful lasers that cut through the glittery scales. Kirby held his breath to avoid breathing in the poisonous mist the Hydra's Undead head created, wrapping his whip around the boney neck and yanking it off the dragon's body with the head attached. Ridley buried his claws deep into the Life Element head's neck, cutting through the leaves and vines that made up the neck before slashing it off.

Donkey Kong jumped into some kind of barrel cannon, aiming straight for the Water Element head and blowing it off while he was inside a spiky cannon. Clementine took out her vinyls and pulled out some kind of ink-coated stick, attaching the vinyls to one end like a double-edged axe and beheading the Hydra's Fire head before she was burned to a crisp. Bowser swung his axe to knock the Air Element head clean off like a golf ball, breathing fire all over the stumpy end. Sonic made sure the Earth Element's head was following him no matter what, dancing around it while flying in a newly-created tornado until that rocky head fell off from over-twisting. The only heads remaining were the Hydra's Light and Dark heads.

"Uh… Mewtwo?" Pit asked, aiming his bow at both heads. "What about these guys?"

"Light and Dark are opposite forces of each other, meaning one element can defeat the other," Mewtwo answered, drawing out his scythe. The Pokémon slashed through the Light Element head's neck while Pit did the same to the Dark Element head. The swirling energy around the Hydra's body vanished as all ten of its heads were gone, unable to grow back from each element that countered them.

The ten Smashers flew off the headless Hydra's body onto a cold, monochromatic floor where the lights were completely a dim aquamarine, watching as the body of the Hydra fell down dead in front of them.

"Oh my…" Fox contemplated.

"Oh my indeed," Bowser replied, picking up his hammer. "Please don't tell me we're in another dimension…"

"I don't think we are," Fox told the Koopa King, checking his visor for anything in this place. "We've managed to enter another part of the Sky Eater, thankfully. If the outcome had been different, we might have ended up caught in one of this machine's moving gears…"

"This is Hugo! Come in, Skylanders! Are you alive?" Hugo's transmitted voice called over the tablet Ridley still carried along. The Space Pirate answered the call upon hearing the Mabu's voice.

"Yeah, we're all alive right now," Ridley spoke. "Say what you want to say or hold your peace."

"Oh, thank goodness you're all alive!" Hugo sighed in relief through the video chat. "Flynn had just managed to successfully sail his ship to the top of the Sky Eater. We're waiting for you to get up there and stop Kaos and the Darkness. Hugo out." The call ended, and Sonic took the tablet from Ridley.

"And how exactly are we supposed to get up there without our vehicles?" Bowser asked. "We're basically grounded here, and that Hydra ate our Rift Engines." Just as the Koopa King asked what they were going to do, they heard a rumbling sound emitting from the headless body of the Hydra. The necks began pumping out multicolored fluids mixed with the aquamarine magic, and flowing out from the fluids were the ten Rift Engines, untouched by the digestive acids.

"I guess that's our answer," Bowser noted, shielding himself from the splashing stomach fluids ejecting from the Hydra's body.


The roaring spire of the ever-growing Darkness flowed out from the center of the throne room, with Nefarion himself gone for whatever reason. Flynn, Hugo, Cali, and Glumshanks walked across a bridge over the empty chasm, with the troll pushing the Dark Rift Engine behind them.

"Oh! Sweet man-cave! Impressive ambient!" Flynn exclaimed, admiring the tongue-in-cheek look and feel of the room while Cali snuck around him in case an ambush were to occur. "Except for that lava lamp in the middle of this place. That thing's totally giving me the creeps."

"Um… that's the Darkness," Glumshanks corrected, having stopped pushing the Dark Rift Engine.

"Kaos should be showing up at any moment, so let's all wait here until the Skylanders come to us," Hugo advised, hiding behind Cali with a little bit of fear in his heart. Soon enough, the Clown Cruiser, Viridi's Voice, and the Star Sparkler flew above the Mabu and the troll from different sides of the drawbridge, and Mewtwo and Ridley appeared beside the vehicles so they could lower their other friends onto the bridge.

"We answered the call and we came here," Fox McCloud told the Skyland natives as the three vehicles above them reverted back into Rift Engines once again.

"Where were you?" Cali asked. "We've been trying to reach out to you for fifteen minutes."

"Really? Only fifteen minutes?" Pit asked. "Funny… seemed like more. To answer your question: let's just say we've been jumping to other worlds." The SuperChargers got to the end of the bridge, looking at the swirling pillar of black and violet.

"So… that's the Darkness, right?" Mewtwo telepathized.

"Down to the core," Glumshanks answered, positioning the Dark Rift Engine close to the spire. "But be careful when you go against Lord Kaos… or just Kaos. It's like someone's living inside the Darkness." Cali walked up to the machine and powered on the Dark Rift Engine by flipping its switch, both the Mabu crew and Glumshanks stepping back and hoping the SuperChargers would deal with the rest.

"Great," Cali replied. "I've powered up the engine and it should be ready to send the Darkness back to where it came from by the time all of you are done." The SuperChargers drew out their weapons and marched forward, hearing the ominous cackling of Emperor Kaos from up above in his hovering throne.

"You're too late, foolish Skylosers!" Kaos proclaimed. "The Cataclysmic Mega-Rift is almost complete!"

"Hey! You can shut those blabber lips of yours!" Kazooie snapped.

"Yeah! We're going to stop you and the Darkness if it's the last thing we do!" Pit spoke up.

"Better than anything you've thrown at us, Kaos," Sonic replied in a condescending tone. "What's the matter? Didn't your mommy ever change that soiled diaper of yours before you moved out of her castle?"

"Save your breath, you immature blue rat!" Kaos snarled, giving the hedgehog a slight bit of offense due to mispronouncing his species. "I don't have time to deal with the likes of you! Now quit wasting my time! All of you!"

"Lord Kaos, please don't do this!" Glumshanks objected. "The destruction of the Skylands will only be the destruction of your destiny!" Kaos could feel that birthmark of his about to be tugged away, with the echo of Nefarion's laugh reassuring him his life was on the line. The Dark Portal Master had a glimmer to change for what he desires the most, but felt like he would lose his reputation if he held back his ultimate power.

"I've made up my mind," Kaos growled from his throne. "Now… all of you! Prepare to meet your most ultimate of ultimate dooms at the hands of Supreme Emperor Kaos, dark overlord of the multiverse!"

"Stay behind us and keep a watchful eye on that Dark Rift Engine," Fox told the three Mabu and the troll, pulling out his blaster as everyone raised their weapons and fists. "Kaos will be down on the ground by the time it's fully charged." The SuperChargers stepped forward, feeling the floor shift underneath them. The ten fighters were lifted up into the air by a floor of gray tiles to confront Kaos, who was floating up to them in his throne.

"Now, Kaos," Nefarion's voice echoed throughout the room. "It's time to show how much power you have to take down these Skylanders."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah," Kaos replied in a salty tone. "Just don't talk to me as I crush the sky fools." The Dark Portal Master channeled his powers from the spire behind him, feeling the raw energy of the Darkness flow through his veins as he floated off his chair. The battle between good and evil was about to begin.

Kaos teleported himself over the floor, sending out a series of small spiked wheels across from where he was at. Each of the Skylanders jumped over the small wheels towards Kaos, with Ridley grabbing the Dark Portal Master and grinding him against the tiles. Kaos created a large shadow orb that knocked the Space Pirate off his chest and launched another one at a random target from his hands. The shadow orb was aiming for Kirby, but Pit quickly got in front of the pink puffball and reflected the attack back at the small emperor with his Guardian Orbitars.

Kaos quickly teleported off the stage, where he was tackled by Mewtwo's flying scythes. The Dark Portal Master conjured up a shield around himself, aware it was the psychic Pokémon using that attack via telekinesis. Kaos was just about ready to send more spiked balls in his way upon having teleported back to the stage, but Sonic the Hedgehog dashed into him and pinned him to the ground using rapid jabs.

"And that's for calling me a rat!" Sonic exclaimed, ready to stomp on the Dark Portal Master's large head with a lightning-covered sneaker. Kaos quickly grabbed the Air Boot with his hands, slamming the blue hedgehog onto the floor and creating a powerful shockwave.

"Alright, miserable fools!" Kaos spoke, creating multiple versions of himself that surrounded the SuperChargers. "See if you can pierce this illusion!" The Kaos clones each pelted the Skylanders with shadowy orbs, and every time the likes of Fox McCloud and Mewtwo used their methods of reflecting every clone they hit disappeared into magenta mist followed by echoing laughter.

"There's too many of these buggers!" Bowser growled, knocking each barrel Donkey Kong tossed to him at the Kaos clones.

"Hold on, hold on!" Banjo told the team with a smug smile on his face, suddenly getting something he remembered that sprung up in his head out of nowhere. "I always wanted to do this~!" The bear cracked his knuckles and slammed his fist into the ground, creating a shockwave of Jinjo-shaped statues from the floor that instantly sprung up underneath each Kaos clone and hit them in-between their legs. The only one who cried in pain and who didn't vanish was the real Kaos, who was wearing his crown unlike the clones he created.

"Nice work!" Sonic congratulated the bear. "Let's clobber this guy into next week!" Kirby was about to attack Kaos with his whip, but the Dark Portal Master created two large versions of his three-fingered hands by his sides and yanked Kirby by his whip. The pink puffball was tossed into the air, but he was quickly saved by Clementine before he hit the ground.

The Inkling had transformed into a squid to cushion the hard landing for Kirby, and she quickly got him back on his feet. The music visualizers on her headphones pumped intensely as she threw her vinyl records like spinning blades, cutting through the enormous pink hands. The orange ink began to splatter upon Kaos, allowing him to receive more damage. His giant hands slammed onto the floor in different places, creating massive shockwaves everyone was forced to jump over to avoid getting hit by the fast-flying tiles.

"Yeah!" Kaos declared, the hands he created through his magic pulling out massive swords with pink crystalline blades. "That's what I'm talking about! Fear me and my awesomeness! Now even more awesome by the power of the Darkness!" The two swords slashed across the stage, gleaming as they released blue beams through powerful swings. The Dark Portal Master cackled upon seeing the Skylanders before him trying to dodge his attacks through dodges, and he quickly generated a shield around himself to block Pit's arrows and Mewtwo's scythes. Bowser slammed his hammer against one of the large swords so hard it shattered against his mighty force, much to Kaos's surprise.

"What!? You're all not dead!?" Kaos asked, slashing his sword across the tiles and creating smaller but more powerful shockwaves. "How are you still alive!?"

"Cuz we're more than you could expect from your average Skylander!" Sonic answered, kicking Kaos as he floated over to the stage to unleash some more spiked balls across the floor. "We're the Super Smash Brothers, and don't you EVER forget that!" The blue hedgehog zipped behind the Dark Portal Master and kicked him high into the air, where Fox attacked their big-headed enemy with a fast barrage of lasers from his blaster. Donkey Kong jumped high into the air and swung his large hands forward, dunking Kaos until he was literally launched through the floor by immense force. The Dark Portal Master was defeated as a result, since both of his darkness-induced powers and tiles vanished without a trace.

"Nice work, Skylanders!" Flynn congratulated the SuperChargers as they landed on the floor next to Glumshanks and the Mabu veterans. "You actually did it and clobbered the little guy!"

"Yeah. I guess we did," Fox replied. "Besides, he was nothing compared to the challenges we faced before." The sound of the Dark Rift Engine completing its charging echoed across the throne room.

"Looks like the Dark Rift Engine is ready to send the Darkness back to its original realm!" Cali told everyone.

"Alright, let's do this!" Flynn exclaimed, walking over to the Dark Rift Engine to push the main lever on the machine's control panel upward. "Boom!... Uh, boom? Something's wrong with my boom finger!" Just as Flynn was about to touch the lever, his hand froze in midair. Flynn soon realized he was completely frozen in a violet aura, and so were Glumshanks, Hugo, and Cali.

"I can't move!" Hugo exclaimed, struggling against the aura restraining him. The Smashers soon heard the ominous laughter of the Nightmare King around them, and before any of them could run away they all felt their breaths stiffen from being held up in the air by purple hands around their necks. As the fighters struggled and the Mabu and troll remained frozen, the Nightmare King himself made his entrance through the pillar containing the Darkness, clapping sarcastically from Kaos's humiliating defeat.

"I must say, I'm impressed," Nefarion spoke, walking past Kaos just lying on the floor and approaching the Dark Rift Engine just for admiration. "The multiverse is near destruction, and my victory is almost here… and yet you're all still alive to pester me. Bravo. Unfortunately, for all of you, your game's end is inevitable."

"Holy guacamole! The lava lamp is freakishly handsome!" Flynn exclaimed. "That's awesome! At least not as awesome as my own beauty, not to brag or anything…" The Nightmare King spread out his arms, and the frozen Mabu and Glumshanks were soon floating around in the air while the grip around each Skylander's neck tightened harder.

"Lord Kaos, please! You can still put an end to that Nightmare King!" Glumshanks called out, aware of the Dark Portal Master slowly getting up from his wounds.

"Yeah!" Ridley coughed, attempting to claw through the tight grip around his skinny neck. "I want you to tell yourself what to do! I want you to get mad at Nefarion! He's the guy keeping you as his hostage!"

"Second the thought!" Bowser groaned.

"You're all quite foolish, aren't you?" Nefarion laughed, walking over to Kaos as he was trying to get up. "Kaos only answers to me." The Nightmare King slammed his boot on the Dark Portal Master's hand to assert his authority and to also force the big-headed brat back onto his feet.

"Isn't that right, future emperor of the multiverse?" Nefarion asked, his furrowed and glaring red eyes glancing down at Kaos. The Dark Portal Master was about to say something horrid to the Nightmare King, but he sighed in defeat as he knew his servitude to the Darkness was futile.

"Just as expected," the half-vampire chuckled. "Guess all those lessons of handling your minions really… refreshed my memory. Gave me a sense of nostalgia for a moment. Now then… there's nothing left for us here. Let's destroy Skylands once and for all and ascend from this place. Crush that Dark Rift Engine and assure I'm not taken back to that accursed place ever again." Nefarion watched with anticipation as Kaos marched over to that Dark Rift Engine, charging up his powers to destroy that large machine for good.

"Hey, Cali?" Flynn asked for a last-minute confession. "Now that we're about to die, I'm kinda hoping you can use this little bit of time to pledge your eternal love to me."

"Nah, I'm good," Cali replied.

"Me too," Glumshanks noted.

"C'mon, Kaos! Is this what you want your life to be?!" Bowser asked, still struggling against that hand choking him. "To serve some freakishly glamorous overlord who doesn't care about what kind of destiny you have!?"

"Glumshanks knows what you truly want!" Ridley replied. "Trust us when we tell you this: nobody's going to tell you what you want to do except yourself! Just look inside yourself for once! Is this the path you've chosen?" Kaos raised his hands into the air, just upon the verge of releasing his energy orb upon the Dark Rift Engine. He began to think if this is what he's been living up to his whole life. If maybe his destiny was always in total control over Skylands…

Then something changed inside him. It had always been there to untie the knot.

Kaos quickly threw his orb straight at Nefarion, who quickly predicted the attack and grabbed it through telekinesis within the Darkness. The Nightmare King threw the orb back at Kaos, knocking the Dark Portal Master across the bridge. Nefarion's vicious smile graced his lips as a result of him knowing Kaos would turn against him.

"You missed," Nefarion chuckled.

"Did I, though?" the Dark Portal Master answered in the form of a question, fully aware he outsmarted the Nightmare King. Nefarion suddenly recognized that while he focused all his energy in deflecting the energy orb, Kaos had flicked the lever necessary to open a Rift back to the world from where the Darkness came from. The Nightmare King's powers suddenly faltered, forcing him to let go of the SuperChargers, the Mabu, and Glumshanks.

"Quickly!" Mewtwo telepathized. "Let's take Flynn's ship and escape before the Sky Eater self-destructs!" The Pokémon flew across the bridge, followed by Sonic dashing alongside him and Ridley gliding across. The other Smashers followed behind, accompanied by the three Mabu.

"Come along, Glumshanks," Kaos told his troll butler. "We're leaving. Oh, and by the way, you're unfired."

"Oh thank you, Lord Kaos!" Glumshanks thanked, running across the bridge ahead of Kaos.

"What is the meaning of this!?" Nefarion snarled, horrified by the decision the Dark Portal Master had made. "Do you realize what you've done!?"

"Nobody tells Kaos what to do except Kaos!" Kaos snapped, poorly throwing his crown at the Nightmare King. "And that's me! And I'm him! And you're history!" The Dark Portal Master dashed across the bridge, leaving Nefarion to be sucked in by a powerful Rift the Dark Rift Engine created.

The Nightmare King was feeling the strong gravitational pull of that massive Rift inside the throne room pull him in, and he was walking straight for the exit with his feet firmly planted on the ground. Nefarion managed to grab onto a nearby metal fence beside the bridge, unable to hold his grip any longer as the pull only became stronger.

"I have just about been done being your prisoner, Nefarion!" a deep and somewhat sultry voice inside the Nightmare King's head spoke, possibly the true voice of the Darkness. "Perhaps it would be best if we face the inevitable together to prevent you from ever returning to Skylands!"

"No… I have gathered up enough magic alongside you to bring back my physical form. I will be the only free one," Nefarion told the voice, slamming his wickedly sharp fingers deep into his chest through a bright flash of magenta light. "You're the one going into that Rift alone." The Nightmare King groaned in pain as he ripped out the Darkness inside himself, his body becoming completely opaque and losing that violet aura around him. He was panting deeply as he looked down at his hand, which contained a black sphere containing the magenta mark similar to the one on Kaos's forehead.

"Nefarion! You can't just discard me!" the Darkness Nefarion tore out exclaimed through the mark, spiraling down the Dark Rift Engine's portal. "The multiverse would be mine for the taking! You will all pay for this!"

"Yeah… except I will deal with everyone first while you sit by the sidelines. Your dreams of destroying Skylands and beyond will be mine by then," the Nightmare King replied with a small devilish grin, running across the bridge with his long cloak trailing behind him as the Doomstation crumbled around him. As Nefarion disappeared through the door, the cries of the Darkness calling out to him echoed throughout the Sky Eater, exploding in a massive blast of fire across the very sky it consumed. As the darkened clouds cleared to bring forth a new dawn, Flynn's ship flew across the sky to escape the destruction of the very machine Kaos helped create.

"Wowsers!" Flynn exclaimed, piloting his ship away from the explosion with his Mabu companions, the Smashers, Kaos, and Glumshanks. "I can't believe the little guy actually did it!" By mentioning the little guy, he was talking about the Dark Portal Master with them.

"Yeah! That's what we're talking about when we wanted a big finish!" Pit laughed, twirling around on the deck.

"Way to help us push Nefarion back through that Rift, Kaos buddy!" Sonic told the Dark Portal Master as he hugged him from behind.

"Take your filthy, stinky hands off me, you dumb shrew!" Kaos snapped, pushing Sonic off his back. "I'm not your 'buddy,' and besides: your breath smells like old socks and chili dogs." The blue hedgehog breathed into his gloves hand and sniffed the odor for a bit.

"Tell you what: I'll bring a couple mints next time," Sonic told Kaos, backing away from the Dark Portal Master.

"So… what now?" Fox asked the team. "Do we just go back to our pals in the World of Trophies?"

"I guess so," Glumshanks answered. "I think now that the Nightmare King has been sealed back in his prison, the whole portal network might have been restored, meaning you can all probably go back to where you came from." The ten SuperChargers looked at each other, then back at the Mabu trio, the Dark Portal Master, and his butler.

"Well, it's been a wild ride these past hours, and we're all gonna miss you," Bowser told the group, he and the fighters pulling out the white pellets they kept with them all this time. "At least be glad we didn't try to kill you, Kaos."

"We're going to miss you too, Skylanders," Cali replied.

"Yeah… we'll be sure to place all of you inside the Skylander Encyclopedia," Hugo told them. "That way, we'll never forget your service to all of Skylands."

"This is enough to put a tear in my eye," Flynn wept, drying his weeping eyes from the back of his arm. "It's just…"

"Don't worry," Pit told Flynn, patting the dumb but handsome pilot's back. "We'll always come back. Alright, let's go!" The angel squeezed his pellet twice, only to find out it had no effect. Pit was rather confused on how it still didn't work, even after all this time. Mewtwo squeezed his pellet too, and so did Sonic, Donkey Kong, and the fighters.

"What the hell…?" Mewtwo telepathized, his enhanced senses picking up the evil laughter of the Darkness itself coming from the Dark Rift Engine's vortex.

"You didn't really think this was over, did you?" the voice of the Darkness called out to the SuperChargers, its voice echoing across the clouds that began to darken as they swirled closer to the violet Rift. Everyone on board Flynn's ship ran to the side to see a strange, black figure emerge out of the Rift, the powerful force of the Dark Rift trying its best to pull it in as pieces of the Sky Eater flew over to it.

"You can't defeat the Darkness, fools!" the Darkness's voice continued, taking form until it appeared as a titanic humanoid being with charcoal-black skin with pieces of the Sky Eater attracted to it like a magnet. "Skylands and the multiverse are all mine for the taking! All shall fear and obey me! I... AM… THE DARKNESS!"

There, the Skylanders saw the true form of the Darkness that grew inside Nefarion: an armored titan reaching out to them with a raven-colored wooden-like mustache covered in magenta veins and wearing the remains of the Doomstation of Ultimate Doomstruction like a battle uniform.

"Come to me, Skylanders!" the Darkness called out. "Face your inevitable demise!"

"Everyone!" Fox McCloud exclaimed, putting away his pellet and pulling out his Rift Engine. "Get all your vehicles! We have to find a way to push this guy back to his realm before he can destroy all our worlds! Everything we've been through has been leading us to this moment!" The Darkness laughed triumphantly as it grabbed all ten of the SuperChargers aboard Flynn's ship by the time they all got their Rift Engines pulled out, stretching out from its Rift and pulling the team into the portal the Dark Rift Engine created.

"Skylanders? Skylanders!?" Hugo exclaimed, horrified that something was going to happen to their companions.

"Please! Stop the Darkness or we're all lost!" Cali cried out, hoping the Smashers could hear the cries of Skylands.


Clementine, Bowser, Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Ridley, Pit, Mewtwo, Fox, and Kirby were all carried across a powerful wind flowing all around them, carrying them to face off against the true sentient force that was the Darkness. Colors of indigo and violet swirled all around them in some sort of tube, and the only Pokémon in the team threw his Rift Engine onto whatever ground there was inside this eerie vortex. It somehow spawned Giratina's Quad as a result, and Mewtwo sat in the Land Vehicle and revved its engine.

"Alright, let's do this!" Sonic exclaimed, tossing his own Rift Engine onto the swirling ground and bringing forth the Flash Drifter. One by one, each of the Skylanders pulled out their Rift Engines and spawned in their vehicles, with the Sea Vehicles submerged in the strange surface all around them like it was water and the Sky Vehicles soaring over them.

"Now that I'm free from that accursed Nefarion, I can finally destroy all of Skylands as I wish!" the Darkness declared, ready to challenge these weak Skylanders at this moment. "Come to me and face your ultimate doom!" The ten Smashers all drove their vehicles across the swirling vortex, with the teammates piloting the Sky Vehicles shooting the Traptanium metal armor protecting the Darkness.

"You don't understand," the Darkness told the SuperChargers, unleashing a series of spinning pillars stretching from top to bottom like a web destined to trap its prey. "My powers in this realm exceed your own." The Land Vehicles drifted across the eerie ground, the Sea Vehicles plowed across, and the Sky Vehicles threaded the gaps, all attacking the Darkness with their own attacks.

"Sonic!" Fox called out to the blue hedgehog. "Time to prove how fast your vehicle can go. Drive into that Darkness at Mach 1!"

"Already on it!" Sonic told the Star Fox mercenary, slamming his foot on the gas pedal and driving straight past the crystals suddenly emerging from the ground. Kirby recognized what the blue hedgehog was going for and flew his Star Sparkler right into the Darkness's face at top speed. The Inkling kicked the side of the Salmon Devourer, the speakers meant to attack with soundwaves suddenly changing into megaphones stylized after the Killer Wail. The megaphones projected a series of concentric circles before firing orange soundwaves at the Darkness's arms. Sonic, having caught up to the Darkness at top speed, rammed the Flash Drifter into its chest faster than the speed of sound that the Traptanium armor was showing cracks all over its surface.

"Don't you know when to quit!?" the Darkness snarled, unleashing a swarm of shadowy drones upon the Skylanders as the space around both sides expanded around them. Pit and Bowser barrel-rolled to avoid the line of fire from the shadow drones, blasting them before attacking the Darkness with their Koopa shells and pollen-infected bullets.

"Your games are over!" the Darkness snapped, generating multiple copies of the mark on its head that was hidden by the "helmet" it was wearing. "I know all of you are from different worlds! When I'm through with you, I will make sure they never existed! I will be the one to cover the multiverse in complete shadow!" Each one of the Smashers drove their vehicles past the obstacles, firing their weapons and attacking that Traptanium armor to expose more of the Darkness while trying to avoid all these lasers.

The team drives straight towards the Darkness, knowing fully head-on that they were driving straight into suicide as the marks around them began to charge. As they hit that benevolent force with everything they've got, they knew they had a good run should the Darkness survive the blow. But it might not matter since the Smashers would already be dead by the time the lasers would fire.

Just then, before the lasers could hit them, the Darkness was knocked back harshly by a powerful blow from a boulder barbell aimed straight for its head. The Smashers soon realized that all those copies meant to fire lasers at them vanished as a result, and their Land, Sea, and Sky Vehicles slowed down as a result. Donkey Kong, Clementine, Banjo and Kazooie, Sonic, Fox, Mewtwo, Pit, Ridley, Kirby, and Bowser all looked behind their vehicles, surprised to find someone else had attacked the Darkness.

The Skylander that had just thrown that boulder barbell was a crystalline humanoid carrying another one of them on her back. She was positioned on the nose of the Jet Stream, to which Jet-Vac himself poked his head out from his Sky Vehicle's cockpit.

"Hello, fellow Skylanders!" Jet-Vac called out to the Smashers. "Need a helping hand? Or two hundred?" The SuperChargers that were currently fighting the Darkness looked in awe at the alliance behind them: their eyes widening up in complete surprise to see an entire army of Skylanders riding into the fight with a bunch of Land, Sky, and Sea Vehicles at their disposal.

"What!? How is this possible!?" Bowser asked in disbelief. "We thought some of you were still moping back at the academy!"

"You can probably thank us two," Hat Kid told them, climbing on top of the Tomb Buggy with Alchemo.

"Hat Kid? Alchemo?" Sonic asked. "Wait… you two actually convinced Roller Brawl and the others?"

"What we've managed to do is take inspiration from you guys and help bring back their hope," Alchemo explained. "Well, it was mostly their self-understanding for a truer purpose. All we kinda did was convince them it exists."

"And us," the Golden Queen told the team, she and the Doom Raiders riding on top of a bunch of Sky Vehicles, alerting the Smashers of their presence. "We were promised half of Skylands if we take care of your little problem first…" The Darkness channeled its own energy to cover itself in magenta lightning bolts, enraged that the Doom Raiders, of all people, were working alongside these simple folks.

"You too, Golden Queen?" the Darkness asked. "Wasn't Kaos's betrayal enough? You all will pay for this!"

"I suggest you rookies let us do the rest of the work," the Golden Queen finished, pointing her staff at the Darkness. "Now let's end this! Us Doom Raiders have a world to conquer for ourselves!" The SuperChargers drove their vehicles closer to the Darkness, and every single one of those Skylanders flew past the Super Smash Brothers.

"Hm… wonder if we'll ever get that many fighters into our team?" Pit questioned as the Skylanders and Doom Raiders used their abilities to tear off those pieces of the Sky Eater protecting the Darkness.

"No… I won't go back!" the Darkness exclaimed, trying to attack all these Skylanders with its powerful abilities. "You can't make me! You need me! You all will pay for this!" The Skylanders that could fly naturally unleashed their most powerful attacks on the Darkness as the Rift behind it grew larger than before. Each one of those vehicles fired powerful projectiles that unleashed finishing blows upon this being until cracks of white began to glow on its charcoal skin.

Before the entire area was engulfed in white, the Darkness cried out in defeat as all those Skylanders and Doom Raiders inflicted hit upon hit to push it into that growing Rift. Just like that… the battle was over.


The clear skies explored with colorful fireworks as all the Mabu and various creatures throughout Skylands cheered in victory at the Skylander Academy. The Super Smash Brothers were gathered near the deck alongside the SuperChargers, SWAP Force, Senseis, and other various Skylander teams gathered throughout this world's history, with Hat Kid hanging out by their side.

"You see, Hugo?" Flynn told the four-eyed Mabu, acting like he knew what was going to happen all along. "I told you everything was going to be alright."

"Actually, you were kinda like 'ThAt SkY eATer ThiNGy MiGhT pRoBabLy eAt uS aLL FiRsT," Cali objected, mocking Flynn through an impersonation of him. Sonic burst into laughter upon the feminine Mabu trying to mimic the himbo pilot.

"That… That was a good impersonation," Sonic giggled, applauding Cali. "You really nailed that one out of the park."

"Hey! What matters is it was a team effort," Flynn told the group, hugging Fox McCloud and Donkey Kong alongside Roller Brawl and Eruptor. "We all pulled together in the end because we worked together… well, it was mostly me."

"Uh… no it wasn't," Pit tried to tell, with Stealth Elf setting down her wooden minigun and placing her hand on his chest as a way to tell the angel that it was alright if someone felt a little boastful for something they hardly did. Eon's spiritual form appeared in a mist of blue in front of the Smashers and the Skylanders.

"Thanks to all of you, the Darkness has been defeated, and all our troubles are finally over," Eon told the group.

"Ha! Far from over, we might say," Kaos called out to Eon and the Skylanders. Standing at the deck was the Dark Portal Master himself, accompanied by his rehired troll Glumshanks and the Doom Raiders. Glumshanks was carrying a stack of suitcases in which Kaos packed all his stuff, trembling as he tried to balance himself.

"Just never mind all the horrendously evil horrors just waiting to come and conquer Skylands!" Kaos told the team. "If there's going to be anyone conquering all of Skylands, it's going to be me! And the Doom Raiders."

"Besides, it was part of the deal," Dr. Krankcase spoke up. "We help you defeat the Darkness and in return we would conquer Skylands by our own benefits." Everyone except Kaos and the Golden Queen replied in agreement, with Hat Kid wiping the sweat from her face.

"Uh, I can explain," Hat Kid chuckled nervously. "They knew we needed help, and I sealed the deal in some way. Please forgive me..."

"Eh, it's alright, lass," Gill Grunt told the alien girl, his webbed hands gripping tight to his trident. "We'll deal with 'em the same way we deal with breakfast."

"So until our powers fully recover, we'll be hiding out somewhere you'll never find us, and we'll be ready by the time we attack with another dastardly evil plan," the Golden Queen told the group, with a large jet floating up to the deck. That was the cue for the Doom Raiders to leave the Skylander Academy.

"Eh, it only seems fair," Ridley told the other Skylanders. "You win some, you lose some. At least the Darkness didn't destroy everything."

"So long, Skylosers!" Kaos spoke as Glumshanks carried all of his luggage into the jet across the drawbridge behind the Golden Queen and her subjects. Before the Dark Portal Master walked into the jet to fly off from the academy, he glanced back at the new Skylanders that helped show him the truth of where his true destiny lies.

"And thanks for your support," Kaos mumbled under his breath so quietly nobody could hear him. Soon enough, the jet flew off with Kaos, disappearing into the sunlight to places unknown.

"Now are we sure we should let them dangerous criminals run off like that?" Mags asked.

"Well, it would allow us to get the upper hand against them in case of a future battle, and we best be prepared until then," Buzz told the team.

"And at least there would be nothing to disrupt the portal network in a dangerous way, now that it's been fixed," Eon notified.

"Well, I guess we're gonna be leaving for real this time," Fox informed all of the Skylanders. "We must say: it's been a fun ride, and we'd love to stay here, but: our duty is to protect other worlds from various dangers, and we're always open to new Smashers to recruit… if you're determined enough."

"And hey: it was kinda interestin' how we've all heard you can turn into trophies like us, so maybe you might stop over at Arcus in case one of you guys might be another fighter we're looking for," Banjo apprised. "And… at least we'll have these fancy clothes to remember this world by."

"We're always gonna be your SuperChargers," Kazooie squawked. "Come along, Hat Kid. You wanna head back to your ship? We've got a couple spares in Banjo's backpack." The alien girl walked over to the Super Smash Brothers, taking a pellet given to her by the armored Breegull. Alchemo was starting to become more curious about the world the fighters wanted to go back to, and he glanced up at Eon for permission if he wanted to go with them. Much to his surprise the spiritual Portal Master nodded his head, aware that the young cadet might learn the potential of teamwork elsewhere.

"Can… Can I come with you guys too?" Alchemo asked. "I want to learn more about your world, and I've never exactly been anywhere else outside of Skylands. This place: Arcus… I want to live in it. Learn more about it. Hone my skills there." The Smashers exchanged glances shortly before Mewtwo used his telekinesis to toss the young cadet a spare pellet.

"Welcome aboard, kid," Sonic told the young cadet, adjusting his blazer as he took out his pellet alongside the others.

"Oh, you're all not going anywhere…" Flynn spoke in a menacing tone, intimidating some of the easily-frightened teammates a bit. "Not without a big, epic, MEGA boom!"

"Was that it?" Pit asked. "I thought you were serious for a moment there."

"I knew it all along," Mewtwo telepathized, having read Flynn's mind and fully aware he was joking.

"I know where this is going," Sharpfin chuckled.

"Okay, everyone," Flynn told Hugo, Cali, Sharpfin, Mags, Buzz, Hat Kid, the Smashers, and all the Skylanders. "It's all in the timing, and we're going to make this special for our buddies. Let's try it all together. We're gonna miss you, little buggers."

"Again: we'll always come back," Fox reassured the Mabu pilot.

"Alright: everyone ready?" Flynn asked, making sure everyone on the team (except for Eon) got the memo of what's coming next. "One… two… three…"

"Boom!" Everyone struck their various poses at the same time, all shouting Flynn's simple catchphrase. Some of the Skylanders were chuckling from that, and the only Skylanders that arrived from other worlds were just about ready to leave with the young cadet and the girl with the hat.

"Now that was awesome!" Flynn called out, caught in Mags's arms as he fell over from how great that catchphrase's impact had. Pop Fizz, Jet-Vac, Eruptor, Stealth Elf, and Roller Brawl all hugged the Smashers with tearful goodbyes.

"We're always gonna think about you," Roller Brawl wept joyfully, trying to contain the tears in her eyes. "Thanks for all your help. And thanks, Sonic. Thank you for showing me heroism."

"Anytime, partner," Sonic answered, keeping his distance from everyone as best as he could.

"You might wanna make sure you're not touching anyone," Fox told Alchemo and Hat Kid, and the group made sure no one around them, including themselves, was even close to skin contact. The Star Fox mercenary squeezed his pellet twice, and it worked for real as he disappeared in a flash of white. The young cadet and the alien girl tested their pellets, and they disappeared too as Alchemo waved goodbye to his fellow Skylanders. Bowser, Sonic, Clementine, Banjo and Kazooie, Donkey Kong, Ridley, Pit, Kirby, and Mewtwo disappeared too.

"Yeah…" Jet-Vac sighed. "They'll come back one day. I'm sure of it."


Deep within the Falling Forest, the cloaked figure of Nefarion walked across the forest floor while concealed by the darkened clouds floating overhead. The Nightmare King stopped at a clearing, watching as Jevil approached him from up ahead.

"I was wondering when you would arrive, arrive," Jevil spoke in a calm tone, his yellow pupils glimmering from his eye sockets. "I have what you need to survive." The Darkner walked up to Nefarion, pulling out the completed Mask of Power from his cape. The Nightmare King pried it from Jevil's hands, feeling what little to no energy was flowing through it.

"Its powers… They're lacking in quantity…" Nefarion replied, looking down at the jester.

"For the time being," Jevil advised. "Since it had been split apart for so long with you locked away, it would take a while, while until you get your powers back. Now then… my summoners and I request something from you. You know what I'm talking about."

"I know," Nefarion replied, slipping the Mask of Power onto his belt while reaching behind his back with his right hand. Resting in the palm of the Nightmare King's gauntlet was an ace card that belonged to a heart suit, but the color it had was black instead of red.

"How curious," Nefarion continued in his usually relaxed tone, wondering what exactly Jevil would want from a thin piece of cardboard. "You helped Kaos bring me back through all that magic in Skylands… just for a card?"

"The greatest gift one can accept is an audience from one they truly idolize," Jevil replied, accepting the card with content. "Now that mask has the power to help you escape from this world and settle in another. You can rebuild your strength in the first universe you flee to."

"So it still has the ability to teleport me anywhere I wish, huh? Thank you for your servitude, Jevil," Nefarion notified, bringing the Mask of Power to his face and wearing it. "I feel just like my tyrannical self again." His red eyes pierced through the eyeholes in the mask,breathing through its silver and golden teeth as the eight serpents wriggled near his face. The Nightmare King turned around and extended his hand, creating a Rift composed of the ten elements in front of him. Nefarion entered the vortex, disappearing in front of the Darkner.

"That's it!?" Marx asked, floating out from behind Jevil with Kefka Palazzo and completely irritated. "You risked millions upon billions of lives for the complete and utter destruction of Skylands, and all just for a card!?"

"Oh, it's not just any card, little one," Kefka replied, taking the black ace of hearts from Jevil.

"Little one…" Jevil giggled, completely irritating the cosmic jester. "I love, love that name for you."

"It's. Marx. Learn it well," Marx groaned, keeping his pointed teeth tightly packed as he spoke before calming himself.

"Anyways, this card contains an ancient power long-thought to have been destroyed by eight hearts of complete purity," Kefka explained, showing the card to the two jesters. "However, a tiny fragment of this terrifying force has somehow made its home in this very card: the one our dear friend Nefarion found while serving as the Darkness's cellmate. And now that ancient power has grown spectacularly. Why… it could eliminate countless worlds in the blink of an eye if left to its own demise. Behold: what remains of the Chaos Heart." Jevil and Marx soon recognized that the large black heart in the center of the card was glimmering with an oily mercury texture, alien heartbeats pumping from it.

"Thanks to Marx, I have just about learned a few of the worlds out there, and I think I know of a planet that contains what we need to resurrect a friend that has had his game over for quite some time: our next guest… Dimentio," Kefka continued, taking the card he displayed to the other two jesters and sticking it into his sleeve. "I guess we can cross Jevil off the list. Welcome to the circus, Darkner." Jevil's face lit up in delight as he somersaulted in midair, giggling as he was starting to get used to being accompanied by new people. Marx rolled his eyes, still thinking he could have been Mephiles's one-man army.

"Hey, it already felt strange to us that three months passed here when we've been going through this just yesterday," Kefka questioned. "Curious..."

"Well, time affects places differently," Marx replied. "To us, it was yesterday, but to some it's been a hundred years."


"It feels good to be back," Fox sighed as he walked off the transporter that was always aboard the Legacy, followed by Hat Kid and Alchemo.

"I get my fancy costume looks good and all, but I just wanna get this sweaty armor off me," Bowser growled, accompanied by Pit, Kirby, Sonic, and Inkling.

"Yeah…" Banjo sighed, tugging on the collar of his shirt to let out some steam while Kazooie ruffled her feathers and Mewtwo, Ridley, and Donkey Kong. "I just want to undress from these clothes. Maybe put our Rift Engines somewhere safe."

"Rift Engines?" Cloud Strife asked them, his voice coming from the entrance to the room. "Where were you guys this whole time?" The 1st-class SOLDIER stepped into the light of the transporter's faint glow, surprising the SuperChargers greatly.

"In some place called the Skylands. We were just fixing your problem with the portal network," Sonic answered. "Why do you need to know?"

"Because we've been on hold trying to contact you for hours!" Link replied, walking up next to Cloud and appearing alongside him. "And Palutena's powers weren't doing much justice."

"What… What's going on, guys?" Pit asked, confused by what the blond-haired swordsmen were babbling about. Just then, Dante, Min Min, Shulk, and Robin entered the room.

"We came here shortly before you arrived," Shulk explained. "I had managed to predict a future where you all won against some kind of force that was going to destroy our worlds. All of the other fighters are waiting for you at the Smash Fortress. They were asking if you could clear things up on what exactly happened."

"What? Why?" Kazooie asked.

"So they can understand where the source of their troubles with the portal network came from and would like to hear your side of the story," a laid-back and flippant voice different from the fighters in front of the rookie Skylanders answered. Squeezing between Link and Dante was a short, paunchy skeleton standing a little over 4 feet, a wide toothy grin and large eye sockets with white pupils gracing his face. The strange undead creature was wearing a white t-shirt with a blue, unzipped blue hoodie over it, a pair of black shorts with white lining running down on it, and salmon-pink slippers with white socks.

"Heya," the skeleton greeted, his bones hardly rattling as he walked up to the SuperChargers. "I take it you all haven't met me, huh? Yeah, I understand. Anyways, you wearing some fancy Halloween costumes? That's hilarious. I'm Sans. Sans the skeleton. Pleasure to meet the lot of you." The skeleton extended his left hand as a greeting, with the boney fingers a bit stubby. The Smashers, who had just recently exited the portal with Alchemo and Hat Kid, simply stood there in great confusion.

Chapter 102: A Realm of Monsters

Summary:

Having been through enough of the journey through Skylands, the Smashers that have been chosen as SuperChargers hear the tales from the other fighters. One of these stories happens to be one that tells of a world where monsters and humans live on the surface...

Chapter Text

A little disclaimer: This chapter contains some… queer elements. But not too many. Just thought I'd recommend taking this with a grain of salt in case it's not your thing.

Also, happy five years of bringing joy and nostalgia to our hearts, UNDERTALE. You will always have a special place in the video game genre, and I dedicate this chapter to you. Disclaimer over.


"You want us to tell you what we've been through, down to every single detail?" Sonic queried the skeleton named Sans in annoyance.

"If it's to know what exactly the hell is going on," Dante replied, his arms crossed in front of his chest. "Rifts, as far as I know, were popping up all over my town and dumping some kind of alien junk down onto the streets. At least I think it was."

"I don't think it was anything even I could predict with my future vision," Shulk added.

"It would be very helpful if you could fill in on the details of your most recent adventure," Robin pointed out. "The clothes you guys are wearing really seem to give it away." Alchemo walked up to the fighters waiting for the SuperChargers to return, and he cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses.

"Hi there," the young cadet greeted, his tail twitching in anticipation. "My name's Alchemo. I'm one of the most recent recruits, and I sorta came here willingly. I… wow, this is hard to explain it to all you guys here. Can you help me out, Hat Kid? Hat Kid…?" The alien girl was just as nervous as the young cadet was, looking at all these people in the same room to the point where it's making her feel claustrophobic.

"Uh… wow," Hat Kid chuckled, licking her dry lips as she quietly counted every face near the transporter with her fingers. "There's a lot of you guys, isn't there? Four or five people: I can understand. But like… (one, two, three, four…) I don't even know how to make any friends with nineteen different faces here. Everything's just flying past me so fast. It's like doing homework a day before it's due. I… I gotta get back to my ship. This situation is pretty stressful for some reason. I'm sorry." The alien girl stepped inside the same platform she arrived in, setting her mind back on the ship she traveled through.

"Hey, kid," Cloud reasoned. "It's not gonna work like how you're used to. Trust me: I've tested it. And so did Link, Min Min, and everyone else." Hat Kid was teleported out of the room anyway… only to reappear seconds after she left. The alien child was confused as to why she was suddenly taken here when she knew where she needed to go. Even the Smashers that were appointed as Skylanders became fully aware of the situation.

"What the…?" Hat Kid asked, having just been ejected out of the transporter. This was the likes of which had never happened before, at least not until recently. The young alien took deep, calm breaths, making sure everyone was distancing themselves from her as she thought about her ship again. She was teleported from the room… only to appear back in the same spot she stood in.

"Why can't I go back?" Hat Kid asked as she was picked up by Banjo.

"We were asking the same questions too," Link answered as best as he could. "After all the fighters eventually got our little pellets to work again, they found out they can't leave Arcus."

"We don't know how severe it is, or how long the effect upon our transporter can last, and everyone else is crowded back at the Smash Fortress waiting for you guys to come back," Robin added, drumming his fingers against the hardcover of his Thunder Tome. "They're all getting nervous, and… apparently, Sherry's trying to fix the current technology that can get anyone across the planet."

"Sozo and Hakai have mysteriously vanished, and we don't know where they could be," Shulk pointed out. "Last we heard from them, they seemed to leave with Cirrus, so we hope those three dragons are still here in Arcus."

"Okay, slow down!" Bowser interrupted, halting the long-winded explanation of what they missed out in the World of Trophies. "There's just so much stuff going on, and you guys are all telling us that all these certain things happened."

"After all, you suggested we should tell you what exactly happened the entire time we've been over there," Fox advised, the brow muscles over his right eye raising in question. "Well, we can't exactly tell the story without getting everyone involved. All our friends need to know the full details." Sans took a deep breath through his nasal cavity and sighed through his teeth, fully aware of how to handle the situation.

"Alright, if you guys want to give out the full story to your pals, be my guest," Sans answered. "Thankfully, I know a shortcut to your place because... who even needs walking to get around?"

"A shortcut?" Kazooie asked, interested in what the skeleton wearing a hoodie just said. "Where?"

"Right through this magical door that just popped up beside me for no explained reason," Sans responded. Just when everyone was least expecting it, a wooden door that looked like it would lead into a bedroom filled with flames appeared next to Sans's right completely out of nowhere. This led to a jumble of confusion among the large party, even through the likes of Mewtwo and Shulk. They didn't exactly manage to see that one coming, so they were completely befuddled by their expectations.

"Follow me, but watch your step," Sans told the Smashers, opening the door. The fire was flowing underneath the door, fading into a room of complete darkness. The skeleton walked through the door, his mind clear on the destination the fighters wanted to get to. In curiosity on how exactly that random door would work, Shulk and Mewtwo went in first. Link, Robin, Min Min, Cloud, and Dante followed in before the SuperChargers tagged along with Alchemo and Hat Kid. Soon, everyone was in the dark room, unable to see their own hands as the door magically closed behind them.

"Just follow the sound of my voice and try not to fall on your face," Sans warned the fighters. "If you'd like, you can hold hands." It was only a few steps, but everyone remained huddled together despite the space being completely wide. There were no walls or even a ceiling, meaning everyone here had plenty of room to move around.

"I think your destination's right over… here," Sans replied, pushing open something that let in the light. The Smashers all squeezed through with their new non-fighter companions, trying to get out one at a time. They soon recognized they went through an exact copy of the door they found in Arcus before ending up in front of the Smash Fortress, its shadow stretching across the bridge to its front door.

"I… What… Is this real?" Pit asked, trying to fathom what happened. "How did we get here?"

"This door's what I like to call one of my many methods of shortcuts," Sans explained, snapping his boney fingers and making the door behind them disappear instantly. "I only use it when I'm going to other places, and when I'm taking one or more people. I have my own natural ability of teleportation, but it's only useful for covering shorter distances, so I use that door to actually get somewhere farther away."

"Interesting…" Sonic replied, knocking on the wooden doors in front of them. "Hey, is anyone living here? We've come back from our trip." The famous mustached plumber who peeked outside the creaking door was Mario himself, who began to show signs of relief when he saw all these fighters in front of him.

"Mamma mia!" Mario spoke in relief, running over to the Skylanders and hugging Sonic and Min Min. "I'm-a so happy to see you all again! We were all worried sick that you wouldn't come back after the portals were disconnected!"

"Heh heh… Good to see you too, buddy," Sonic chuckled, patting Mario on the back. The red plumber broke apart the hug, pulling one of the double doors's handles until it was wide enough for everyone outside to come in.

"Thank you for your hospitality," Cloud Strife commented as he walked inside.

"No problem-a," Mario replied, letting each of the fighters walk in. "We made sure everyone's stuff is taken here, including yours. So I guess you didn't need to worry about packing…" The red plumber soon recognized the alien girl as she was about to walk in. He then recognized the peculiar blue creature with the straight horns and the skeleton about Mario's height, his curiosity rising as a result.

"Hey… Hat Kid?" Mario asked Hat Kid. "Who exactly are these two behind me?" The alien girl could feel the introversion creeping up behind her back as she knew she was about to enter into that huge mansion again, only this time she knew to expect a whole crowd living here. When that red plumber asked her about the two strangers, she tried her best to hide the nervousness with the answer to his question.

"They're… Sans and Alchemo," Hat Kid replied, her eyes glancing over to the side opposite of Mario. "They just decided to tag along and… help everyone get back to their worlds… including me."

"It's okay," Sans reassured Mario while remaining in his usual laid-back tone. "We're with 'em. Now why don't ya let us through so some friends of yours could explain what happened?"

"Alright, if you-a say so," Mario replied, letting the young cadet and the short skeleton through into the Smash Fortress. As soon as everyone was inside, the red plumber shut the doors. The light leaked through the windows, shining down upon the carpeted floor and giving out the feeling of comfort due to how much space there was.

"Nice place you got here," Sans discussed, keeping those hands of his in his hoodie's pockets as the team walked towards that large room on their right with the dining tables. "What do you think it is?"

"Some of us call it the Smash Fortress," Robin discussed, getting a bit more social with the skeleton. "Others refer to it as the Smash Mansion since it looks so large and impressive." Hat Kid seemed to be the only one on the team who was starting to feel more like a shrinking violet as she and the people around her went over to the tables, which were filled with all the other fighters sitting in chairs and discussing the current situation.

"Does anybody here have any good ideas on what's going on?" Marth asked at one of the tables in front of Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, and Wii Fit Trainer. "I can't use the transporter to get back to my kingdom. I don't know why that is."

"Why are you asking us?" the Wii Fit Trainer questioned. "Some of us were born here."

"I know I'm not," Captain Falcon addressed, slightly raising his hand. Zero Suit Samus, Lucario, Richter, PAC-MAN, and Sheik were conversing in another table, having the exact same questions.

"Have you guys even asked the other fighters?" Sheik touched on, rubbing her brow with her bandaged fingers. "Joker keeps mentioning something that's screwing with his cognition abilities, and he can't explain it."

"I asked Mega Man on the matter," Richter pointed out, shrugging as a sign he didn't know either. "He said he has no comment."

"Ganondorf won't even tackle the situation because he's completely lost," Lucario stated.

"I know the only person who made the most sense here was Palutena," Zero Suit Samus mentioned, crossing her legs as she rested them on the table. "She recently talked with Pit, and he said they were somewhere in a world where a unique kind of magic was messing with our portal network. Even then, the aftermath of all those holes ripping in the sky must have done something cuz I can't go back."

"None of us can, Zero," Richter replied, trying to push those boots of hers off the table. "And please don't do that. It's kinda rude for a lady your age…" At the entrance of the massive throne room, the Smashers that were just at the front door heard the sound of some people coming downstairs. They were none other than Isabelle and Steve - the former having been washed up till the blood soaking her golden fur was cleaned out before resting, and the latter having recovered from his three-day period to heal from the inflicting trauma of what he endured back in Minecraft.

"Oh my… what's going on?" Isabelle yawned, having just awoken from her beauty slumber and dressed in a pastel-blue polka dot nightgown as she held Steve's blocky hands to prevent him from falling down the stairs. Mario, Shulk, Min Min, Sonic, Banjo & Kazooie, Dante - they all noticed the two figures having just woken up only now to the complete confusion over everyone.

"Apparently, everyone can't return to their worlds through the Legacy's transporter for the time being," Shulk sighed. "We don't know how severe it is, or if we'll ever go back, so we're pretty much just stuck here. Say: I know you've been sleeping for quite a while. Do you mind getting changed? Including all of you guys that have recently been in this Skylands realm?"

"That was kinda what we were about to do," Fox told the Hom, moving his current position to the stairs. "Hey, Alchemo. Hat Kid. Sans. Make yourselves at home for the time being. Perhaps the young Skylander could give an analysis on whatever just happened. He looks smart enough to tell us what just happened." Clementine, Ridley, Donkey Kong, Bowser, Sonic, Fox, Pit, Kirby, Mewtwo, and Banjo & Kazooie all walked past Isabelle and Steve to head upstairs and get dressed.

"Oh! Steve! You're up!" Kazooie squawked, flapping her wings in relief that their blocky friend was perfectly alright, especially after what happened with Uryutaluch, the Forgotten Gatekeeper. Steve hardly said anything, but even without any emotions whatsoever he felt content for having a nice rest.

"Hey, real quick: do you remember anything about what happened in your world? Anything at all?" The blocky character scratched his head, his mind spinning around in his head as he tried to remember what exactly happened. Banjo and Kazooie can hardly read what exactly he was thinking right now, but they knew Steve was trying his hardest to recall that traumatic event. They expressed sighs of relief to realize he was alright.

"It's okay," Banjo reassured, patting the blocky character's back. "If you don't remember, that's fine. Kazooie and I are gonna get dressed right now. Why don't you stick around here for a while?" The Breegull slipped her armored head into Banjo's backpack as the bear went upstairs to change from his monk-like outfit alongside all of the other Smashers that have been chosen as SuperChargers.

"Hey… little blue guy?" Sans asked the young cadet as he was about to enter the throne room.

"Um, pardon me, but my name's actually Alchemo," the young cadet corrected, positioning his glasses so they didn't fall off his face.

"Sorry, kid," Sans apologized. "Didn't really recognize you. Since you probably know about what just happened, why don't you go up to these people?"

"I'll stay over here for a while," Hat Kid pointed out, scooting closer to the walls away from the crowded throne room. "With my lack of social skills that haven't really improved at all, I'm just going to sit here and just… wait until either my courage comes back or I can go back to my ship." The alien girl sat down near one of the pillars supporting the massive dome roof, pulling down her hat over her face to hide herself from any strangers around here. Alchemo recognized the faces of all these different fighters, and a small number of all these characters approached Mario, Min Min, Shulk, Cloud, Dante, Link, and Robin.

"Shulk! Cloud! All of you guys!" Roy laughed, the red-haired warrior hugging the fighters that didn't return to the Smash Fortress. "I'm so relieved you're all back!" The people who were with Roy were Dark Samus, Incineroar, Snake, and Pappy.

"We're glad you're all here waiting for us," Link replied.

"Look: I actually have something important to tell you guys, and it probably has to do with that portal problem of yours," Alchemo pointed out. "So do you think I can fill you guys in on all those pesky details to the best of my ability?"

"Sure, we don't mind," Snake responded, his hands on his hips. "As long as we know the reason why we can't go back." Alchemo followed behind Dark Samus, the yellow eyes in her visors glancing down upon such a strange-looking specimen. Snake and Roy walked up to the Phazon warrior, staying by her side as the voices in the throne room quieted down. As for Pappy, she followed behind the young cadet, her inquisitiveness rising as Alchemo cleared his throat and caught the attention of most of the fighters now living in the Smash Fortress.

"Hi, everyone," Alchemo greeted, showing a weak smile at all these faces looking at him suspiciously. "I'm Alchemo. I know how many of you are wondering how exactly did this happen? Well, thanks to my glasses, I can tell you the whole premise of what happened since I'm obviously the nerdy type, right?" His forehead began to sweat as he made that assumption that someone was going to laugh, but the Smashers were all silent.

"Oh, ha ha," Sans spoke with sarcasm, keeping his hands in his hoodie's pockets. "Pretty 'humerus' if I do say so myself." The skeleton laughed to himself after making that terrible pun, calming down as the fighters were hardly amused at all.

"Get on with the story!" Wario called out to the young cadet.

"Okay, okay," Alchemo advised before any complaining took place. "Where to begin… oh yeah. Months ago, when I was just a new recruit in the Skylander Academy-"

"Months ago?" Terry asked. "Some of us were in our worlds for a few days, but to the rest of us it was a few hours ago!"

"Time is somehow different in other worlds, meaning it's fast for most of you but slow for others," Palutena cleared up. "Don't ask me. I just know the rules."

"Alright, where was I…?" Alchemo continued with the story. "Anyways, I was assigned by Master Eon to go with Stealth Elf and Eruptor into the Falling Forest since Kaos had found the last remnant of the Darkness that was sealed centuries ago, having grown stronger to escape with the Doom Raiders. Now, a short-looking beanbag and a tall man stole that vile so they could summon a jester they call Jevil." Sans's face lit up in surprise when he heard that name, almost like he knew it existed before. However, he decided to dismiss that thought and keep Alchemo talking, even if it meant going down to all these details. Dante picked up the look of bolting out of the skeleton's blue, learning that maybe Sans might know something about this.

"After the two fled, Kaos and the Doom Raiders found Jevil and took him in," Alchemo went on. "I followed the team over to the Outlands and…"


Kirby was the first one to emerge out of his room after just a few minutes, having just taken off his crown and gloves. He still had that tiny Rift Engine in his stubby hands, which was glowing with the violet aura of the Magic Element. He made his way over to Sonic the Hedgehog, who was fully undressed from his SuperCharger outfit and instead wearing nothing but his signature white gloves and shoes with socks.

"Oh hey, you're finally out," Sonic noted. "I'm just waiting for the rest of you guys to finish changing. And it looks like you guys are finally out, huh?" By that last sentence, the blue hedgehog saw Banjo & Kazooie, Inkling, Bowser, DK, Mewtwo, Ridley, Pit, and Fox all emerged from their rooms at the same time by a few-seconds difference, every single one of them looking as how they appeared before they entered Skylands.

The fighters ran down the stairs, meeting up at the throne room while Alchemo repeated word for word on what just happened hours prior.

"Is Alchemo still going on with his story?" Kazooie asked in a quiet voice.

"Unfortunately," Dante softly yawned, feeling completely bored out from the young cadet's history lesson. "I'm getting kinda bored. What do ya say we ditch this boring lecture like dropping outta school?" The Devil Hunter left the throne room with the Smashers that were chosen as Skylanders, sitting at the bottom of the stairs.

"So… looks like Alchemo's keeping the others busy, and Sans seems to be interested in the whole thing. Like, REALLY interested. Almost like he knows one of the guys before," Dante commented. "Anyways, you guys wanna hear what Cloud, Link, and I have been through?"

"Heck yeah!" Pit laughed. The Devil Hunter let out a soft but intimidating chuckle as he reached into his red coat and pulled out some kind of glowing-blue stone. A spiral-like shape was carved into its glimmering cut, along with three letters in a language similar to the Earth Citrine's language located below it.

"The Air Topaz!" Fox McCloud exclaimed, with Sonic, Banjo, and Kazooie recognizing that Dante found another powerful stone. "Where did you find it!?"

"Well, gather round as I tell you where exactly we found this stone, as well as where we found Sans," Dante replied, making sure everyone was seated beside him. "Now then, this is the story of a place I like to call... Undertale."


A day ago…

Cloud Strife was in the middle of an empty field, which was filled with jagged rocks and gray tufts of grass scattered throughout. The 1st-class SOLDIER gripped the handle of his weapon, the very Buster Sword his friend gave him. He could visualize himself on a battleground filled with so many monsters and enemies he faced, longing for the days of fighting after many months of hardly experiencing any of it.

The 1st-class SOLDIER dashed around the battlefield, slashing his sword across the air and attacking his imaginary monsters. He kept his cyan eyes open, feeling the wind blow through his spiky, golden hair. A tall and muscular man with darkened skin and a dirty brown vest watched Cloud fight out here where there's no enemies in sight. His right hand was replaced with a minigun, and he bore a hi-top fade hairstyle and a thick beard.

"Hey, Cloud!" the man called out to the 1st-class SOLDIER, by which Cloud stood in a pose where he guarded himself with that heavy sword. "What do you think you're doing out here?" Cloud sighed as he put away his weapon, glancing back at the tall man that had quite the muscular build.

"I was just practicing in the open, Barret," Cloud answered, placing his hands on his hips.

"Cloud, there's been no monsters in sight. Months after we've saved a bunch of people from dying of Geostigma," Barret corrected, sitting down on the edge that was dipping into the rocky field several feet away from Cloud.

"I guess so, but then again… who knows when another attack might occur?" Cloud pointed out, becoming very clear to Barret Wallace that something was going on in the head of his comrade.

"It's about us, ain't it?" Barret asked, able to tell when exactly Cloud was feeling something. Cloud sighed as he only had Arcus in mind, glancing down at the tiny pouch by his waist to acknowledge the white pellet that could take him back whenever he was in the roughs.

"It's just… it feels like I've been gone from this world for so long I don't know what to think anymore," the 1st-class SOLDIER answered without giving away the existence of the world he lived in for twenty years to one of his close allies. "There aren't even any monsters around here. When I made that promise to Aerith, I wanted to show her the real me and have people accept me for who I am. I guess we all get to that point. What am I even saying? I don't miss the enemies we used to fight, but I don't want anybody getting hurt either. I feel… pretty empty."

"Aw, don't get the wrong idea. Besides, we all appreciate your help in rebuilding the Planet," Barret told him, standing back up. "Without you, we might not even be here."

"Yeah. And I guess I don't know what I'd do without you either," Cloud noted, his eyes gazing over to the sword on his own back.

"Hey, don't sweat it!" Barret chuckled, walking over to Cloud and patting him on the back. "By the way, Marlene's birthday is coming up, and Tifa's helping prepare the decorations for the party."

"Ah, so your childhood friend's daughter is starting to grow fast, isn't she?" Cloud replied. "Yeah, I'll see what I can do."

"That's my man!" Barret patted Cloud's back with a smile on his face, making Cloud feel a little better about himself. "Now come on. Cait's trying to bake some treats for everyone." As the 1st-class SOLDIER and his friend walked away from the field, they suddenly heard the sound of cracking only a few feet away from them, splitting open into some kind of rift. More sounds could be heard around Cloud and Barret, all of them in different pitches and sounds that suggested something bad was about to happen… and it had nothing to do with the Lifestream.

"Barret… go get help," Cloud told his teammate, pulling out his Buster Sword as Rifts left and right opened up.

"Don't tell me you're gonna hold that off alone!" Barret objected, watching the vortexes stretch open and somehow eat small chunks of the ground.

"I'll hold it off for as long as I can," Cloud assured Barret Wallace. "Just make it quick." Barret nodded, running into the thin fog to get their friends. The 1st-class SOLDIER took deep breaths as he aimed his sword at the Rifts tugging on the land around him, oblivious to the ground underneath him about to give way.

Cloud Strife slowly looked down and saw bright cracks underneath him, spreading across the ground. The ex-mercenary knew what this meant, and he dashed straight ahead as the spot he was standing in gave way into a glowing abyss. Cloud sprinted as fast as he could, using his mako-infused abilities to look like he was gliding over the rocky field while it crumbled underneath him.

He reached into his pouch to pull out the white pellet, attempting to squeeze it in order to get back to the World of Trophies. As bad luck would have it, the pellet had no effect. Cloud slipped the pellet back into the pouch, instantly stopping as he saw another Rift open up in front of him. The vortexes grew larger by the second, and the 1st-class SOLDIER soon realized there wasn't going to be much ground left.

"Get me outta here…!" Cloud spoke with his teeth kept shut, pulling out an orb out of some kind of Materia to transport himself to safety. The Materia floated into the air with a multitude of colors, but instead of warping Cloud somewhere safe… it backfired.

The Materia exploded into a burst of energy that launched Cloud backward, sending him to tumble into a Rift behind him. The 1st-class SOLDIER cried in fear as he watched the only way up to the sky get smaller, even if the Rift in question was growing larger.


Link was riding across Hyrule Field on Epona's back, feeling the wind blow across his locks of hair. The Champion of Hyrule had his horse gallop across the grassy meadow that stretched out for acres, not a single care in the world as he rode to a nearby Bokoblin camp so he could raid it for whatever prized loots were there.

The Bokoblin at the small watchtower instantly detected Link riding in, quickly attempting to sound an alarm with its horns before it was shot in the head. The Champion of Hyrule tugged on Epona's reins, shushing the precious mare as he got off her saddle. The Bokoblins that did see their comrade's fading body fall off the watchtower turned towards Link, surrounding him with clubs and spears.

The Champion of Hyrule, confident that quantity didn't matter over quality, unsheathed his Master Sword and unleashed a powerful spin attack. The blade gleamed a bright blue as it cut through the Bokoblins around him. Link soon recognized there were more Bokoblins that were emerging from a skull-shaped rock filled with explosive barrels. Link drew his bow and fired a flaming arrow into the hollow rock, ducking close to the ground as the remaining Bokoblins were all burned into ashes by a fast explosion.

Epona neighed in fright upon what happened as Link killed all the Bokoblins in the camp. The Master Sword lost its bluish glow, and the Champion of Hyrule put the weapon back in its sheath and walked over to his horse.

"Easy, girl. Easy…" Link hushed, stroking her muzzle and calming her down as his fingers caressed through her mane. Epona gave out a soft whinny, having calmed down as Link entered the hollow skull-rock to take whatever loot he could find. He came out carrying various rupees and powerful weapons, and he glanced over to see a pig that was cooked over a campfire in a spitroast method.

Some time later, Link was eating some of the cooked meat while sitting on the edge of a hill that dipped down into the lower parts of Hyrule Field, and Epona was grazing on the grass behind him. The Champion of Hyrule breathed in the fresh air blowing from his left, his sapphire-blue eyes staring out to the towering purple mountains that he could see were far away, probably almost stretching out to the borders of Hyrule.

He stared out into the landscape, never wanting anything to change around here. It seems as though he's enjoying the rest of his days playing out in the wild, hunting animals to cook and eat, visiting villages and completing a bunch of quests, and overall having a fun time. Link soon laid out on the grass, watching the clouds roll on by and relaxing in general.

But then… it happened.

Thunder began to erupt around the Champion of Hyrule, and the clouds above him were growing darker by the minute. Epona neighed in fear, galloping away as the ground underneath Link began to crack underneath him. Link quickly got up and pulled his Master Sword and Hylian Shield, ready to attack whatever was ready to emerge from the ground.

Without thinking twice, Link yelled as he ran forward and stabbed his sword into the ground, thinking he killed whatever vicious creature was trying to get out. This situation only got worse as the crack split wide open, and Link soon fell into the crack and was transported to somewhere unknown.

The Champion of Hyrule opened up his eyes, lying on a dusty cobblestone road as the scent of the place for eternal damnation stung his nostrils with a horrific odor. Link picked up his weapon and got up, trying to figure out his current surroundings. The last thing he remembered was falling through a Rift that crumbled underneath him, and soon he ended up here. But what kind of world was this…?

The Champion of Hyrule looked around the place, which seemed abandoned and concealed by darkened clouds behind a starry sky. The only thing that seemed to clash with the hellish ambience were several Rifts placed in random locations, dropping off strange furnitures, food, and trash across the streets.

"What… are those things?" Link asked, looking up at the exact same Rift he fell into just several feet above him. The Hylian stepped away from the Rift, keeping his guard up for anything that would attack him. Link soon heard the sound of a man falling above him, and he looked up to see Cloud Strife himself falling from the sky.

The Hylian instantly put the weapon back in his sheath, running over to a certain spot so Cloud landed in his arms. The 1st-class SOLDIER groaned upon the pain poking his back after the impact, glancing over to the individual that had just saved him from going splat upon the pavement.

"...Link?" Cloud asked as he recognized who caught him from certain death. The Champion of Hyrule's pupils dilated and his cheeks were tinted a bit red, and he let go of Cloud as a result.

"Cloud!? What are you doing here?!" Link asked, surprised that the 1st-class SOLDIER appeared in the exact same location he ended up in.

"I should ask you the same question," Cloud replied, looking up to the sky to see all the Rifts that are growing in the sky. "What do you suppose are these things?"

"I don't know," Link replied, just as confused as Cloud is. "But whatever these vortexes are, we better get out of here." The 1st-class SOLDIER took out his pellet and squeezed it twice, his face showing signs of worry as he soon realized no matter how many times he squeezed it, nothing happened. He wasn't being transported to Arcus, he wasn't leaving this world, nothing.

"Hey, Link," Cloud told the Champion of Hyrule while slipping the pellet in his pouch again. "Test your pellet. Now." The Hylian did as he was told, squeezing his own white pellet with no effect.

"Mine's not working," Link replied.

"Dammit…" Cloud growled under his breath. "Well, I guess we might have to find out what this place is and survive- Hey, wait! Where are you going?" The ex-mercenary soon recognized that Link was running off behind his back, heading towards another part of that supposedly-abandoned town.

"I hear some monsters over there!" Link told Cloud, ready to get into trouble without knowing it. "Come on!" The ex-mercenary soon realized that the Champion of Hyrule was going to get himself killed, and he didn't know if his own skills would be useful in battle after quite a while.

"Wait up! Don't go over there without me!" Cloud called out to the Hylian, drawing his weapon and dashing into Link's direction. In another part of town, Dante himself was having a blast killing off an army of demons invading his town, acting like he hardly gives any care to the enormous vortexes opening up around him. He hacked and slashed through every demon in sight, by which most were centered around the Seven Deadly Sins. While he gunned down the Hell Lusts and Wraths, Link ran into the middle of the fight just to instantly recognize the Devil Hunter.

"Dante!" Link called out to the half-demon, ducking his head as he avoided a swing from a Hell Pride and followed up with a stab in the creature's head by using his Master Sword.

"Elf boy…?" Dante asked, leaving a Hell Envy to impale his head with its scythe. The Champion of Hyrule shrieked in fright, but the Devil Hunter embraced the mortal wound as though it was nothing.

"It's fine," Dante reassured the frightened Hylian, stabbing the same Hell Envy with his sword, the Rebellion. "This happens to me a lot. I can't necessarily die as easily- what do you think you're doing?"

"Helping out!" Link answered, tossing a remote bomb at a small swarm of demons and detonating it with his Sheikah Slate. The Hylian ducked from the blue explosion, much to Dante's surprise. "You look like you could use a hand!"

"...Fair enough," Dante assured himself. The Devil Hunter drew his other gun, aiming at the 7 Hells on his side of the area while Link sliced through his targets with a blade that gleamed with a bluish glow. Cloud Strife ran into the fight just in time, dodging a powerful attack from a Hell Sloth before following up with an uppercut swing from his Buster Sword.

"Link!? What are you doing here! You're gonna get yourself killed!" Cloud told the Hylian, swinging his sword across to cut through lines of demons with less accuracy than what he performed before.

"Hey, what's with the party pooper mood?" Dante asked as he thrusted his Rebellion sword into the head of a Hell Lust. "Link's enjoying it here."

"But that's the problem!" Cloud objected, worried about Link's safety as he saw more demons surrounding the trio. "Recently, he's getting so caught up in acting first, thinking later that he's throwing himself into danger! Not to mention he's mortal, so he can't survive against most injuries like you and I."

"Eh, I've got a bunch of friends, and some are mortal too," Dante backed up, jumping high into the air and drilling downward with his blade. "Besides, with the way you're handling yourself in a fight, you probably can't catch up to us."

"Of course I can catch up to you!" the 1st-class SOLDIER tried to prove, performing Cross Slash upon some Hell Envies. "I've been practicing for a few months now. Trust me. I know when there's a fight we can't win alone." Dante landed beside Cloud, aiming Ebony and Ivory at the demons around them while Link behaved more solo and acted like a separate, one-man team.

"Alone?" Dante asked as his back was against the ex-mercenary's. "So you can spend some quality time with your boyfriend?" Cloud's cheeks blushed at the mere mention of someone unknown that even the Devil Hunter wouldn't mention by name, dismissing it as a supposedly impossible outcome that was moreover played as a joke.

"Have I forgot to mention the weird vortexes opening up all over the place?" Cloud asked, charging his Limit Break. The Devil Hunter looked up into the sky, suddenly realizing he was fighting some demons to the point where he ignored the real threat as nothing more than a distant memory: the massive Rifts all over the Residential Area.

"Oh yeah… They just kinda showed up while I went out to clear some demons for another bounty," Dante told the 1st-class SOLDIER, slicing off the head of a nearby Hell Gluttony. "I figured we'd take care of our little problem once we're done here."

"But this is a serious debate!" Cloud groaned, using Finishing Touch on the 7 Hells that pounced at him. "We can't use the pellets to get back, I'm thrown into a world that's probably yours, my own skills are much shittier here than back on the Planet, and have you noticed how Link's behaving lately?" The ex-mercenary began to worry that Link was becoming more overconfident in every fight he squeezed himself into, charging up a bombastic arrow that exploded upon being fired by his bow. The Champion of Hyrule then reached into his pockets and threw out his trusty boomerang, which blew with a powerful gust of wind and rammed into the horde of demons.

"Yeah… Now that you mention it, Link's kinda hogging most of my kills," Dante replied. "Hey, at least he's clearing out these little buggers…" The ex-mercenary gasped as he saw a Hell Lust ready to strike Link from behind, and he quickly rushed into the Hylian's rescue and unleashed a powerful slash. The Hell Lust was killed, and Link glanced over to see it was Cloud who saved him.

"I told you: you can't keep running off like that and putting yourself in danger!" Cloud tried telling Link. "You were almost killed because of it!"

"And I told you: I can defend myself just fine." Link responded, stabbing another demon behind him with the Master Sword. "I've got bombs, rope, lamp oil, bows, arrows, boomerangs, swords, clubs, shields… I've got the brains and skills I need to survive!"

"But don't you feel like you're becoming too over-confident?" Cloud asked, holding Link's shoulders while looking at him straight in the face. "I know you're in possession of the Triforce of Courage, but I'm beginning to worry about you. I'm beginning to worry you might be developing some kind of foolhardiness or even rashness. Dante may be half-demon, but you're obviously mortal like me."

"Don't be stupid, Cloud!" Link replied, pushing Cloud away so he could attack behind himself with the Master Sword. "If it's help Dante wants, it's help Dante gets! At least I know how to fight monsters in the wild by experiencing it myself so I'm not some kind of rusty slowpoke."

"Rusty slowpoke?" Cloud questioned, dodging a flying arrow from the Champion of Hyrule so he could hit a demon that was behind the ex-mercenary. While the two blond-haired swordsmen were busy quarreling, Dante was still busy attacking the 7 Hells that targeted him, and all three of them soon felt the ground rumble underneath them. The surviving demons recognized the cracks and fissures below the trio as a bad omen from the light, and they all fled into the shadows in the hopes their enemies would meet a fate worse than eternal damnation.

"Uh, I don't mean to butt into your bickering, but you might wanna hold onto something!" Dante told Link and Cloud as each one of them put away their weapons, jumping high into the air faster than the speed of sound and scaling one of the buildings around them. Cloud Strife held on tight to Link's hand and gripped on tight to a nearby stop sign. The Champion of Hyrule's foot slipped upon the stone, and he was hanging onto his friend's hand for dear life as he dangled over a swirling vortex.

Cloud tried pulling him up as the Rift grew bigger and stretched across the cobblestone street, with Dante watching up above them in worry. The Devil Hunter leaped across the buildings before dashing straight down to the blond-haired swordsmen, by which the gravitational pull of the Rift was making Cloud lose his grip on the stop sign. Dante quickly reached over and grabbed Cloud's hand as a last-minute save.

"Don't worry, boys! I got ya!" Dante told Link and Cloud, trying to pull them both up. However, the ground underneath them gave way, and the Devil Hunter, the Champion of Hyrule, and the 1st-class SOLDIER were all falling into the Rift below them. Next thing they knew, they were falling several feet into the air before landing in an ocean of water beneath them.

The three fighters were completely submerged in the water, several feet between the surface and a coral reef. Dante and Cloud survived the landing, but Link was completely knocked out after being denied the air he needed to keep himself conscious underneath the surface. The 1st-class SOLDIER grabbed the Hylian's waist, swimming up to the surface with the Devil Hunter. Both Cloud and Dante gasped for breath upon reemergence, treading the water as they tried to figure out where they were.

"Link? Link! Wake up, please!" Cloud encouraged, forcing the Champion of Hyrule to cough out some of the salty sea water in his lungs just to show his two companions that he was alive, but barely.

"Oh, thank the Planet," Cloud sighed with relief as he spat against the small waves crashing into his face. "Dante! Is there a shore nearby?"

"Of course there is!" Dante coughed, pointing over to a beach just meters away from them. It was hard to distinguish the individuals scattered across the beach since the trio could hardly recognize the faces, but they were people nonetheless. Cloud dragged Link along as he held on tight to Dante's belt, the Devil Hunter swimming close to the shore as he tried calling for any lifeguard to help the unconscious Hylian and his other friend.

As Dante and Cloud swam closer to the beach with Link in their arms, they were lucky that a lifeguard that was blue in color discovered them in desperate need of help. The 1st-class SOLDIER and the Devil Hunter decided not to judge someone based on the color of their skin as they were glad that the lifeguard climbed off their chair and ran straight into the water at top speed. The lifeguard swam faster than Cloud and Dante could manage. As they got closer, the conscience swordsmen would soon discover that the lifeguard was different in appearance than how they interpreted.

The lifeguard was a feminine, fish-like creature that had deep blue scales covering her entire body, bearing red-and-blue fins on where her ears should be. She had sharp, yellow teeth and a yellow eye with red eye shadow, and there was a black eyepatch covering her left eye. The piscine monster was wearing a red bikini, with gills on the sides of her ribcage and webbed feet and hands.

She grabbed onto Link, Cloud, and Dante, swimming to shore as fast as a race car by kicking her feet. It only took a minute to get to the shore, and the fish lady plopped a coughing Dante and Cloud on the shore. Link was limp and cold in Cloud's arms, but his heart was still pounding in his chest. The 1st-class SOLDIER and the Devil Hunter looked at their surroundings, noticing how peculiar it was for humans to be relaxing alongside a bunch of monsters, which ranged from anthropomorphic animals to supernatural creatures like ghosts and sirens, but mostly anthropomorphic animals.

"Are you okay?" The fish lady asked, not having lost any breath from her rescue quest.

"Yeah, we're alright," Dante told her as he cleared his throat of the ocean's salty taste. "Cloud, are you fine?"

"Kinda…" Cloud replied, holding Link close to himself. "Link's swallowed too much seawater. Can you help him, please?" The fish lady took the Champion of Hyrule from the ex-mercenary's hands and laid Link out onto the sand.

"Okay, everyone! Stand clear!" the fish lady told the humans and monsters. "01! 02! Get me one of those air ventilators and my phone!" Two bodybuilder monsters wearing red swim trunks, with one a dragon and the other a rabbit, ran over to the chair where the fish lady was sitting. She placed her hands on Link's chest, performing compressions that were strong enough to keep the Hylian's heart pumping regularly and helping him cough out some of the water. The dragon and rabbit bodybuilders came back with a smartphone and an oxygen tank with a mask.

"Alright, 02. Place the mask on his mouth." the piscine ordered the dragon monster that helped her. The dragon bodybuilder placed the clear mask on Link's mouth, and the fish lady continued to thrust her hands down on his chest once the ventilator was secured. Link began to cough for air through the oxygen mask, throwing up the seawater as he pushed the dragon bodybuilder's hand off the ventilator he was going to tear off.

"I… um… Undyne?" the rabbit bodybuilder told the fish lady, handing her the phone she was going to use. "You said you wanted this, so…" The piscine monster, now referred to as Undyne, grabbed the phone from his hand and dialed a number on her phone while Cloud limped to an unconscious Link.

"Hey, Alphys?" Undyne asked on the phone. "Yeah, I've rescued three humans from drowning, and they all look like those historical figures you've told me about. One of 'em even looks like an elf, and he's completely passed out unlike the other two. I'm taking them over to our place. Keep the door open for us, alright? See ya soon. Love ya. Bye." Undyne hung up on the call, picking up Dante and keeping his arm on her shoulders. She was just about to pick up Link before Cloud did it for her.

"...Thank you," Cloud expressed his gratitude to her. "Do you mind telling us your name?"

"Undyne," the one-eyed fish lady replied with a soft smile on her face. "You suckers are coming home with me. Alphys and I are gonna get you two and your little elf friend something to patch up with. You must've swallowed a lotta ocean water. 01, 02. You're in charge of protecting this beach." The dragon and rabbit bodybuilders nodded as Undyne walked away from the beach with the Devil Hunter by her side, with Cloud following her as he carried Link. Three of the onlookers that had witnessed these three swordfighters almost drowning watched as they went with the fish lady with the eyepatch.

One was just a human child with a blank expression and straight brown hair with bangs, wearing a blue shirt with purple stripes, blue pants, and brown shoes. The two monsters they seem to be friends with were skeletons, with one taller than the other. The shorter one of the two was wearing a blue hoodie, a white t-shirt, and salmon-pink slippers, supposedly to authenticate his easygoing and lazy attitude. The other skeleton was towering over the other two by about a feet, sporting a toothy grin and vertical slits for eyes. He was wearing some kind of armor over a black-colored skeletal structure that didn't match his white skull, which consisted of the following: a white chest plate with some gold trim, coquelicot gloves and boots (with the former also having a flaxen trim), blue briefs held up by a shiny aureate belt, and an orange-red cape wrapped around his neck to look more like a scarf.

"Sans, did you see that?" the taller skeleton asked the shorter skeleton in an excited and flamboyant tone.

"Every minute of it," the shorter skeleton replied in a chill tone, looking up at the taller skeleton. "Now that I think about it, something seems off-putting about those guys… Maybe it's the way they're dressed." The human child glanced over to the ocean, getting the sense that those three came through that huge vortex over the sea. They tugged on the shorter skeleton's hoodie, alerting him of what they wanted to say.

"What is it, kid?" Sans asked. A black textbox appeared in front of the child, displaying what they were saying since they didn't naturally have a voice and they spoke differently from all the other characters.

The textbox read, *You tell Sans about the strange vortex that's lingering over the ocean, slowly but surely disappearing by the second. You suspect those three men somehow fell from that rift, and maybe you and them should pay these humans a visit.

"Heh. Great idea, kid," Sans replied as though he had an ordinary conversation with the human child before looking over to the tall skeleton. "Hey, Papyrus. Wanna visit Undyne's place as usual?" The tall skeleton's face lit up with excitement as a result of hearing Sans's request.

"Of course! I, the Great Papyrus, never miss a dull day without hanging out with my best friends!" Papyrus declared with a cocky and brash attitude. "I'm coming, Undyne!" The skeleton ran off, leaving the human child and Sans at the beach.

"So… you thinking what I'm thinking?" Sans asked the human child, well informed about the fading Rift in front of the horizon that both the humans and monsters somehow didn't notice. The human child glanced back at Sans, nodding their head in determination. They were going to find out about these three mysterious humanoids along with Papyrus, one way or another.


"Do you think Link's gonna be okay?" Cloud asked a strange, yellow dinosaur creature half his height that was wearing a white lab coat and round glasses.

"I hope so…" the dinosaur replied, trying her best to approach the conversation normally. "Thank God Undyne managed to get most of the water out of his lungs. Now that I come to think about it, I kinda noticed you and your friend in the other room… You guys look like some of those anime characters, don't you?"

"Anime characters?" Cloud questioned.

"You know, handsome boys fighting with swords and having crazy hairstyles… those anime characters," the scientist corrected, trying to break the ice by starting a more lighthearted conversation as her cheeks blushed from embarrassment. "I'm just saying you guys kinda remind me of them. It's… kinda exciting, to be honest. Um… I'll be back in just a minute." The dinosaur-like monster left the room, leaving Cloud alone with Link. The Champion of Hyrule was resting on top of the bed sheets, groaning as he held his throbbing head.

"Finally," Cloud sighed with relief, sitting on the edge of the bed. "Took long enough for you to wake up."

"Mmm… Cloud…" Link groaned, trying to get back up before the 1st-class SOLDIER placed a hand on the Hylian's chest.

"You almost drowned back there," Cloud pointed out. "The lady that helped us, Undyne. She took us to her place. Alphys helped patch us up. You need to stay put, at least for a little while."

"But I feel perfectly normal," Link replied, pushing his friend's hand away. "I can take care of myself just fine."

"You were entering dangerous territory without a partner," Cloud explained. "You almost got yourself killed."

"Why are you worrying so much about me dying?" Link asked, opening his eyes a bit and slowly sitting up on the bed. "We're trophies. We can be resurrected after defeat. It's practically limitless."

"I doubt that last sentence actually has anything that holds true," Cloud objected. "I mean, there has to be a limit to how many times we can die and come back. You have to learn that actions have consequences, and… I'm trying as hard as I can to protect those close to me, including you."

"Hey, Cloud. Relax," Link reassured, placing his hand on Cloud's hand. "These past few months, I've been learning how to fend for myself in the wild, and my own weapons do all the work for me." The 1st-class SOLDIER backed his hand away from Link the moment the Hylian said that.

"See? I knew you were becoming foolish from overconfidence," Cloud sighed, not knowing what to believe anymore. "You rely on your tools so much you don't even know the limitations of how far these abilities can go. When I fight, I let the energy of the planet and my mako guide me, but I learned how to control myself and back off from an unavoidable danger. I learned how to open my mind… and to just let out all my years of emotional baggage instead of just piling it up until it becomes a mess. Maybe you might wanna release it through something more than just… running into danger without thinking? I don't even know what I'm saying at this point. I'm still kinda angry that you ran off to fight a swarm of demons that can kill any mortal in sight. You're not like Dante." Alphys unknowingly walked into the conversation, bringing a tray of piping-hot bowls of instant noodles.

"Um… I knew you guys might have been hungry after almost drowning back at that beach, so I tried whipping you up something and… these are all Undyne and I have until we head to the grocery store again. Sorry…" Alphys explained, unaware of the situation Cloud and Link were in.

"Well, I can be Dante if I wanted to," Link replied in a bit angrier tone, his cheeks blushing a bit.

"He's a half-demon. You won't survive a day in his world," Cloud groaned, trying his damn hardest to approach the situation as calmly as possible. "You really are making this difficult, huh?"

"Well, maybe if you weren't much of a slowpoke than when you were before," Link backed up, acting defensive.

"Are you calling me lazy?" Cloud questioned, he and Link not bothering to notice the monster scientist.

"...Uh, should I just leave things as it is?" Alphys asked herself, setting two of the instant noodle bowls near a stand next to the TV. "I'm not the best at relationships, so… Here's your food. You can watch some anime if you want. Except for Kissy-Kissy Mew Mew." Alphys left the room as the two fighters kept arguing about how Link's was becoming more and more presumptuous these past few days from his time spending it in an alternate Hyrule, knowing that whatever rabbit hole they're in she's not the right person for the job.


"I must say, I'm impressed with how fast your body healed," Undyne told Dante as he was sitting on the couch in the small but comfortable living room, admiring some of the scars on his head and neck disappearing faster than she anticipated. "Most humans don't even survive these kinds of casualties unless they're determined like me." Undyne was now dressed in a pair of blue pants and a black tank top with some red boots.

"Well that, and some… demonic energy coming from an ancient father," Dante corrected, rubbing his neck. "I kinda admire a chick like you saving us like that. You've got quite the guts."

"Hey: all the benefits of being a fish monster!" Undyne chuckled, displaying her hand to show the webbed skin between each finger before elbowing the Devil Hunter. "I always appreciate dorks with hearts of gold."

"Yeah, and maybe I could see our friendship as… growing in some way" Dante replied, crossing his legs as he reclined on the coffee table in front of him. "Maybe we can start right now, in case you wanna give me your number and we can hang out."

"Of course I'm glad to have another friend," Undyne chuckled. "Though I don't think we might wanna start with the number yet in case you feel like… dating. You see, I'm already with someone else, if that's your whole shtick."

"Someone else, huh?" Dante asked with a bit of disappointment that he couldn't woo a fish lady. To answer his question, Undyne pointed towards the entrance to the living room, her gaze averted straight at Alphys who had just brought the bowl of instant noodles for the Devil Hunter. She was blushing mad at the face when the fish lady mentioned the two monsters were in some kind of special relationship.

"Undyne…? W-W-Why did you remind our new houseguest that we're… um... you know…?" Alphys stammered, placing the instant noodles on the coffee table and pushing Dante's legs as she darted her eyes back and forth between her sweetheart and the Devil Hunter.

"No no… it's fine, it's fine," Dante reassured as he knew the two monsters have been together in a domestic relationship for quite some time. "I don't necessarily mind you two being an item. Kinda cute, actually." Alphys bowed her head in awkwardness, her face a deep crimson.

"So… anyways," Dante continued like normal. "Mind telling me your name?"

"Oh, yes! Yes," Alphys responded, clearing her throat. "My name is Alphys. I'm pretty much the Royal Scientist here… or at least I was before everyone... kinda disbanded to live upon the surface. You see, it's been months ever since all the monsters that have been trapped underground were freed from the barrier keeping us in Mt. Ebott. All thanks to one special human."

"Oh really?" Dante spoke with curiosity. "Who's the kid that rescued you?" A knock on the door could be heard, just beyond that living room.

"Coming!" Alphys called out, racing to the door as fast as she could. Dante and Undyne followed after her as she went to answer it, opening the door for Sans, Papyrus, and the human child.

"Sup, girls?" Sans greeted.

"Oh! Sans! Papyrus! We were just expecting you and the human to show up! Come on in," Alphys replied, letting their three guests into the house.

"Hey, Paps!" Undyne welcomed, patting the tall skeleton on the back. "How are things going with your life?"

"Why, never better!" Papyrus answered happily. "I saved up the money I needed to drive the car of my dreams, Asgore trimmed a hedge in the shape of my skull, I got more followers on my UnderNet account and finally got past that record of twelve followers away from a double digit count. I've got my life figured out (aside from having my dreams of joining the Royal Guard fade away), and now I'm just waiting on Sans to pursue HIS life goal.. whatever it is."

"Yeah, I'm kinda workin' on that," Sans replied. "We witnessed the whole incident going on at the beach, and we figured we would follow you here. So… I'm kinda curious about your name… half-demon. You're a half-demon, right?"

"Yep, and it's Dante," the Devil Hunter introduced, shaking Sans's boney hand. When he did, everyone could hear that something between the skeleton and the Devil Hunter broke wind, placing the whole room in dead silence. Papyrus planted his hand on his face in annoyance as he knew Sans brought along that whoopie cushion of his.

"The old whoopie-cushion-in-the-hand trick," Sans laughed, pulling his hand away from Dante. "That never gets old." The Devil Hunter chuckled a bit on that joke played on him, aware there was no one that actually cut the cheese.

"You're a peculiar type, aren't you?" Dante asked.

"Yeah, we get that a lot," Sans answered, slipping his hand back into his pocket. "I guess you could say Papyrus and I are literally 'boneheads.'" Papyrus cringed at that awful pun that short skeleton made, and Dante chuckled a bit from it.

"That's a good one," Dante replied.

"Sans, I swear to God I'll turn you into bone meal one day..." Papyrus growled through his teeth, getting rather irritated from those puns his brother was making but not intentionally meaning any harm.

"Hey take it easy, Papyrus," Sans spoke with that grin always on his face. "I'm clearly a 'Sans-ation' for these people to have around." Papyrus groaned at that joke, clearly despising them down to his ribcage even if Sans was just messing with him. "Anyways, we were wondering about the other two survivors you brought along."

"Oh! If you want to have a talk with them, they're just straight ahead in the room on your left," Alphys replied. "However, they seem to be bitter about something. Something having to do on having too much courage or something…? The details were vague, and I hardly know any relationship skills." The human child volunteered to help patch up the relationship, and they walked off while leaving the adults alone.

"Whelp. The human kid's off to do something relationship-related, no doubt," Sans told the Devil Hunter with a hunch. "Wanna head to Grillby's with me? Everyone will know where I went in case I disappear."

"Yeah, sure, I guess," Dante answered. "You guys seem like a peaceful folk around here, and I don't know how long it would take until we can head back to Arcus. Before I was thrown into this place, I couldn't teleport myself into that world. Hope it's fixed soon."

"Hm… interesting," Sans added, opening the door. "Hey, Paps. The white-haired dude with the red coat and I are gonna go out for the night. You ladies take care of him." The skeleton and the Devil Hunter left outside and shut the door, and Papyrus was left alone with Alphys and Undyne.

"So… anything you wanna do, Papyrus?" Undyne asked the tall skeleton.

"Well, since my brother is probably going to give our new guest a tour around our town, I have decided I would dedicate this whole day to us watching a new episode of Mettaton's Show! The next episode should be airing in just a few minutes!" Alphys and Undyne exchanged glances, knowing their skeleton friend was still an innocent child despite his age and height.

"Sure. Why not?" Undyne answered, shrugging her shoulders. "I mean, I know I don't have much to do today, so maybe we can spend some time together watching a little TV."

"Nyeh heh heh! Splendid, splendid! I'll go get things set up for our binge-watching hours! I'll call you two when I'm ready!" Papyrus laughed, hugging the fish lady before rushing off to the living room.

"Is my bro gone?" Sans asked, surprising Alphys and Undyne greatly. The two monsters recognized the skeleton appeared behind them instantly without even opening the door.

"Yeah, he's in the living room," Alphys responded, calming herself down as she tried to forget how the lazy skeleton even got into the house. "Why do you need him away from our conversation?"

"I've been kinda meaning to tell you girls something," Sans explained. "The white-haired guy named Dante told me about how he and the human guests you're keeping in your house were just warped here by some kind of vortex at the beach. It vanished, but I have a major suspicion that it might pop up again and bring forth some kind of magic that can mess up our world's own portal network. Alphys, you've got the brains to build something that can detect that exact magic. Just send out some kind of machine to pick up that exact surge of energy and call me when you get the results."

"Well, I did pick up something an hour ago through my drone," Alphys noted, taking out a long piece of paper filled with readings that resembled a seismograph. "It's from a magic detector I'm testing downstairs, and it might have collected a powerful surge of energy from that rift. Either that, or it could be a big coincidence-"

"Just make it happen, k?" Sans requested, reading through the seismograph. "And if Papyrus asks what's going on… just tell him you're inventing a laser gun-sword or something. Anyways, I better get going. Dante's waiting for me outside. See ya." Sans opened the door again and left the house, and he didn't vanish for no explained reason this time.

"Undyne! Alphys!" Papyrus called out to the two monsters from the living room. "Mettaton's Show is about to start!"

"Yeah, we'll be there, Papyrus!" Undyne replied, holding Alphys's shoulders before getting down on one knee to make eye contact with her.

"Relax. You can do this…" Undyne assured a nervous Alphys before kissing her on the nose and walking off to the living room, leaving the shorter monster blushing hard in the face from that sign of affection. She soon calmed herself, straightening her coat as she went downstairs to do the request for Sans.

The human child snuck into the bedroom where Cloud and Link were arguing, sneaking in while the two didn't notice.

"Why aren't you answering my question?" Cloud asked, more frustrated than normal. "It seems like you're completely dancing around it when I need to know what's going on inside your head."

"I don't need any help from you!" Link objected. "I'm the Hero of Hyrule! I've been protecting my homeworld from monsters lurking in the darkness! Isn't that a redeeming quality?"

"But not with recklessness to where you injure yourself and lack complete understanding that you need to retreat if the odds are against you!" Cloud groaned, tugging on his own spiky hair in frustration. "I don't understand how you can be so impulsive! Your weapons cannot protect you from everything. Just tell me what's with this ridiculous amount of courage! Please…" The child cleared their throat at the opportunity to chat, halting the argument and alerting Link and Cloud about them.

*You introduce yourself to the two men, pardoning your sudden interruption, the textbox in front of the child said.

"Um… hi there, little girl... or boy," Link greeted. "What are you doing here?" The child sat down on a beanbag next to the TV in the room, simply staring at the two adults before they continued talking in a strange method of communication, almost like a director was telling them how to say their lines in a play. However, Cloud and Link didn't seem to notice and treated it like normal dialogue.

*You tell them that your name is Frisk, the textbox continued. *You explain that something is bothering them, and you need to know what it is. Cloud sighed as he backed away from Link, not knowing what he needed to do in order to keep this relationship with his friend.

"I don't know, really," Cloud confessed. "There's just something Link's not telling me after all these months he was away from me. I want to find out what it is, but… he's just becoming rather stubborn to tell me. Over these past few days, he's grown rather exaggerated, like he's throwing himself into more and more danger…" Frisk scratched their own head, wanting to hear more about this situation.

*You then ask the elf-like humanoid about his side of the story, Frisk's textbox continued reading. *Perhaps he might want to reveal something you're interested in hearing. But you remember you aren't exactly a therapist. Link felt rather guilty about something he was hiding, and he knew sooner or later he would have to tell Cloud something about himself. He wanted to go slow and steady, shed off some of those emotions he can't exactly describe, but they were hard to recognize.

"...Alright, Cloud," Link sighed deeply, moving his knees close to his chest. "I'm sorry for getting myself into trouble. I've been thinking about some things while you were away. I never really knew how too much courage can be a bad thing. You're a good friend, and… I don't think my life would be complete without you in it."

"Yeah, I guess so," Cloud sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "From now on, no running into danger without a set plan. Your recklessness is enough trouble as it is."

"Understood," Link nodded, the blush in his face fading away and calming himself down. "So… Frisk, right? Any idea what we can do around this town? Outside of waiting until we can use our portals again?"

"Perhaps we can follow that kid around and see what we can do," Cloud replied, being a little calmer about the situation. "They've already helped us reconcile with each other for the time being. I guess we should return the favor. Thanks, Frisk." The human child smiled, glad they did a job well done. They got up from the beanbag, waiting for Cloud Strife to help pull Link off the bed. The Champion of Hyrule got back up on his feet, straightening his blue tunic.

*You tell Link and Cloud that the first destination you'll be taking them to is a roller rink near the center of town, the textbox described. Frisk ran out of the room, encouraging the ex-mercenary and the Hylian to follow after them.


In the middle of the day, Sans was just resting near a street lamp on the right side of a small street. He waited for Dante to show up, who zipped in as fast as Sonic.

"Any idea what we're doing here?" Dante asked.

"Oh, nothing much," Sans replied. "We're gonna be eatin' at Grillby's for the time being. Have a walk around town. Enjoy a lotta laughs. Usual stuff in my routine." The Devil Hunter looked to the other side of the street and saw a small bakery shop decorated with different shades of neon pink and assorted pastries displayed at the window. At the glass door, a sign read, "Spiders in: WE'RE OPEN."

"What do you suppose that place is?" Dante asked.

"Muffet's Spider Bakery," Sans answered. "Ever since we were freed from the underground, Muffet and Grillby started their own careers of selling stuff to eat for humans and monsters. They coincidentally moved in on the same street, and they've been competing for dominance over it ever since. Grillby's still got the best food in town, in my opinion. Personally, I get nauseous from eating too much sweets. You're welcome to eat at that arachnid's place though. I'm not stopping you, but… be careful about the treats you pick. Some might contain spiders in them."

"Eh, I think I'm good," the Devil Hunter noted. "Grillby's it is." The skeleton walked down the sidewalk and opened the door right next to him, the bell jingling as he let Dante walk inside. There were a bunch of dog-related monsters sitting with some humans, and some kind of humanoid figure engulfed in orange flames and dressed in bartender clothes and round glasses was cleaning up the bar table. Sans climbed up onto one of the stools, and the Son of Sparda took a seat on the skeleton's right.

"Hm… judging by the menu they hung up on the wall, it doesn't look like they've got any pizza," Dante pondered. "Not that I'm complaining. It's just that pizza with all kinds of toppings is my favorite… alongside some strawberry sundae. I'll take a good-fashioned burger any day."

"Now we're talking," Sans chuckled, patting Dante on the back. "Hey, Grillby. Get us a double order of burg, on the house." The skeleton was talking to the fire elemental bartender, who was cleaning up a glass with a fresh cloth. Grillby simply did as was requested and got to work on the stoves behind himself.

"Pretty silent type, huh?" Dante asked.

"Yeah… Unlike most of the monsters here, he's learned how to take orders from customers and get them done," Sans answered. "The best part is: he's been memorizing the faces of every customer who's come in here more than once. I'm his favorite, Oh, the grub's done." Grillby placed the orders in front of Sans and Dante, each one containing a juicy burger the size of the average human's hand and served with a side of fries and two bottles of ketchup and mustard. The Devil Hunter lifted off the top bun of his burger, analyzing the produce over the ceesy patty and bacon strips and admiring how the meat was cooked to perfection.

"Eh, great. Got some pickles ruining my burger. Oh well…" Dante picked out the pickle slices in his burger, setting them on the side of the plate that wasn't touching the fries. When Dante was done clearing his burger of the accursed pickles, Dante looked over to his left to see Sans wave his left hand over his burger gently. The bun was glowing with the mixed colors of yellow and cyan, and the skeleton was soon picking the pickles out with some method of psychokinesis.

The skeleton then placed the bun back on his burger and lifted it up to his mouth, where his grinning teeth opened and he was about to take a bite out of it using his incisor fangs. Before he could even eat his meal, he glanced over at Dante, who watched the whole procedure of Sans using a strange method to pick out the pickles.

"What was that thing you were doing?" Dante asked. "The telekinesis and stuff?"

"Oh, that?" Sans replied, aware of what the half-demon was talking about. "Here in this world, monsters are physically made out of magic, meaning we can use magic skills and turn into dust upon death. Anything monsters consume is automatically turned into energy to fuel our magic, so we don't retain any food inside us. For Papyrus and I, we're both skeletons, and we know how to use gravity to our advantage. We're pretty much the only skeletons here in this entire world. Nothing much to it."

"And as for me, I'm the only one out of these monsters who can actually teleport around and… feel something beating within my SOUL. Like it's… determination," Sans continued, setting his burger down on the plate. "And that's… kinda coming from someone who knows what Papyrus can do. Anyways, you got powers like mine?"

"I actually kinda do," Dante noted, picking up his burger. "I can use telekinesis, so that counts. Right? I kill demons too." The Devil Hunter bit into his meal, tasting the greasy juices flowing into his mouth as he wiped his face of the oily texture.

"This tastes… so damn good," Dante talked with his mouth full. "Normally, I'm not a big fan of these, but I must say: these kinds of burgers impress me."

"Yep," Sans replied after wiping his teeth of the grease, taking the bottle of ketchup while he set the burger down on his plate. "Told ya Grillby knows how to make a good burger." The skeleton began to chug down the ketchup bottle, and Dante glanced at him with confusion.

"...Do you always drink condiments from a bottle?" the Devil Hunter asked.

"Depends if there's no food to eat," Sans replied. "Even then, I'm trying to be healthy by eating some fruit. So ketchup counts, right?" The Devil Hunter finished up his meal, patting his stomach as he felt satisfied. Sans was pretty much done with his meal too, and the only thing they left behind on their plates were the pickles they didn't want.

"Anywhere else you wanna go for today?" Dante asked.

"Well, I don't have much on my agenda, so we can head to that bowling alley downtown," Sans replied, hopping off his stool. "Maybe knock over a couple pins, or we can head over to Mettaton's new club and do some stand-up comedy."

"Nice…" Dante chuckled, walking out of Grillby's with the skeleton as the bartender cleaned up the bar table. "Perhaps we can use that time at the bowling alley to practice some jokes."

"Yep. I guess you could say my entertainment is really 'humerus,'" Sans chuckled. "Ah, this is gonna be a lotta fun hanging out with you."

"Yeah, I sure hope Link and Cloud are doing fine without us," Dante added. "They might probably be hanging out at the beach or something…"


As the day seemed to go by, Frisk managed to take Link and Cloud to the roller rink they mentioned in the hopes the two swordfighters would bond over their differences and just relax in this world until they get back home. The 1st-class SOLDIER was sitting on a bench and getting his rented roller skates on, glancing over to the Champion of Hyrule as he waited patiently at the register counter. He requested a cat-like monster who had his right arm amputated for the skates that were his foot size, and he paid for it with just a few Rupees he took along. The cat didn't recognize these foreign jewels as cash and denied the offer, but Frisk walked up to the counter and paid for the Champion of Hyrule.

Link sat down next to Cloud, taking off his boots and tying the roller skates to his feet. As the 1st-class SOLDIER stepped into the rink and waited for Link to come out, the Champion of Hyrule held on tight to the edge of the rink as he balanced himself and slowly moved out to the wooden floor. Cloud quickly grabbed Link's arms as the Hylian was about to slip and fall, helping him keep a straight posture on those tiny plastic wheels below his feet.

The Hylian glanced up at the ex-mercenary keeping him balanced, feeling his legs move in sync with the human's while they moved around the rink. Some of the humans and monsters were biding their own time in the rink, and Cloud moved past them as he kept his hands on Link. The Champion of Hyrule was starting to get the hang of skating around, and he looked up at the ex-mercenary helping him with thanks. Frisk watched the two swordfighters skate in the roller rink from the sidelines, a smile on their face.


Mettaton's newly-established hotel resort on the surface was decorated with a golden exterior with flags that sparkled with glitter. There was a plaza in front of the hotel with a running fountain embellished with the bust of a cubic robot with a single wheel and gloved hands. Exotic flowers remained on the sides of the road, and up in flashing neon lights was a big "M".

Sans was on a small, empty stage in front of a crowd sitting in round dining tables, telling bad jokes as he held a microphone on a stand. Dante got a front row for the performance, and he clapped and laughed for the skeleton's bad puns while the rest of the monster crowd remained silent. One seemed to even throw a tomato at Sans, but he would just play it off for laughs.


When the sun began to set, Cloud Strife and Link were taken to a nearby amusement park by Frisk. They soon treated themselves to the featured games, such as throwing darts at the balloons. Because of their past experience with marksmanship, the blond-haired Smashers hit all the balloons they could get with their limited darts, and they got a large plush canary and wolf from the prize selection.

The swordsmen and the human child later grabbed some corn dogs to eat at one of the fast food stands (which were paid from Frisk's borrowed cash), with Cloud laughing as Link tried eating the corn dog while trying to carry that large plush wolf. The 1st-class SOLDIER finished up his corn dog before grabbing Link's plush just so the Hylian could finish his snack. Link wiped his mouth of the mustard, smiling at his friend as he held Frisk's hand.


At the bowling alley, Sans took his bowling ball, which was blue in color, and rolled it across the lane. Dante watched as the skeleton's ball rolled near the edge of the lane. Just as it was about to fall off the lane, Sans closed his eyes before opening them quickly. Instead of white dots for pupils, the sockets were completely black, but his left eye was larger and had an iris that flickered through the colors of cyan and yellow.

The bowling ball was pushed back onto the lane by some cyan-colored telekinesis, rolling straight into the pins and knocking them out in a single strike. Dante congratulated Sans on nailing that strike, and he grabbed a gray bowling ball to show the skeleton what he can do. As the pins were rearranged again, the Devil Hunter grabbed a number of bowling balls that matched the number of each lane and zipped through each one, throwing a bowling ball into each lane without stopping. In just a few seconds, Dante had managed to roll all those bowling balls he had in the alley, but they simply rolled off and missed the pins without knocking a single one over. Dante felt stupid that he should have remembered he was going to miss those pins anyway, but Sans patted him on the back, amazed by the half-demon's otherworldly skills.


Night fell over the horizon, revealing a blanket of stars spread across a blackened sky. Sans was leading Dante up a lonely hill at the top of a mountain, which was decorated with Christmas lights despite this world being late summer. To the right of the house was a toolshed. To the left were two mailboxes, one of which was filled to the brim with unread junk mail.

"I had a pretty awesome day today," the Devil Hunter spoke, satisfied with the time he got to spend in this world. "Thanks for showing me around, Sans."

"Hey, don't sweat it," Sans replied, knocking on the door of the house. "Best part is you get to spend the night with me and my lil' bro Papyrus. He's always glad to have more friends, and I'm kinda proud of him." The door was swung open, and Papyrus was eagerly waiting for Sans to come home with his new best friend.

"Sans!" Papyrus greeted, standing tall and welcoming for his brother and his friend. "I was wondering when you were going to arrive. Come in! Come, come! I've just finished preparing a wonderful meal I'm sure your human friend can enjoy!" Papyrus left the door open and let Sans walk inside with Dante, ready to have some dinner after a long day.

"I know the place isn't much, but it's what we skelebros like to call home," Papyrus continued as the Devil Hunter closed the door before taking a seat near a table in the center of the living room. The taller skeleton was in the kitchen and taking a pot off the stove, ready to serve Dante and Sans their dinner.

"Thanks for your hospitality," Dante told Papyrus as he opened the lid and took a plate to fill it. "I'm just kinda here to sleep for the night. No hard feelings."

"Oh, it's okay!" Papyrus added with a smile on his face, serving Sans with a plate of spaghetti and meatballs. "We both like having guests sleep in our house for the night, whether on sleepovers or on dates! Now then… with eyes as hungry as your stomach, I've made the perfect dish to suit your needs. Some of the Great Papyrus's homemade spaghetti! Nyeh heh heh!" Papyrus placed a full plate of spaghetti in front of the Devil Hunter.

"At least try the dish and tell me what you think," Papyrus continued, so eager to see the reaction of another new guest taste his culinary dish that he didn't notice Sans politely pushing away his meal. Dante twirled the spaghetti in his fork and took a bite out of it, his expression changing as he began to taste the noodles. The taste was indescribable, like a mix of sour candy mixed with moldy cheese. The Devil Hunter's face scrunched up from the taste, feeling like he was going to throw up. He quickly spat it back on his plate, wanting to get the horrid taste out of his mouth.

"Um…" Dante tried to speak, realizing he spat out that disgusting meal in front of the cook. "Don't worry! It… It tastes so good I think I'd like to eat it again!" The Devil Hunter shoved some of the pasta into his mouth in the hopes Papyrus would take the fib, swallowing it without chewing and gagging at the taste.

"You hate it. I can tell," Papyrus sighed in guilt, having already seen through the lie. "That was my brother's first reaction when I started cooking spaghetti from Undyne's lessons. It's taken me five years to notice. I'm never gonna be the greatest chef."

"Aw, don't say that," Sans encouraged, patting Papyrus's back to cheer him up. "You may not be Grillby, but I know you're the greatest chef in my heart. I've said it once, and I'll say it again: if you want to accomplish your dreams, all it takes is some practice and you can do anything." Papyrus glanced down at his brother, sighing as though he knew something else.

"And what kind of practice have YOU done?" Papyrus asked, aware of his brother's laziness. "You say these words of enlightening confidence to me when you don't even move your finger most of the time. How can I accomplish anything if you don't give me a good example?" Sans fell silent on that argument, trying to come up with the best excuse he can on the situation. Dante watched with anticipation, wondering what kind of dynamic these brothers have between each other.

"C'mon, Paps," Dante told Papyrus as he tried lightening the mood. "Give your brother a break. He's been working himself down to the 'bone.'" The smaller skeleton burst out in laughter over that lame pun, irritating Papyrus by that joke.

"It's not funny!" Papyrus growled, his skull red from irritation. "You know how much I despise these kinds of jokes!"

"Oh, we're sorry," Sans chuckled, entertained by those lame puns. "We would be glad to tell you another pun, but I don't think we have the 'guts.' At least for me." Papyrus groaned again, not once liking these kinds of puns.

"Hoo boy, we're on a roll," Dante laughed. "Hey Paps. 'Leaf' him alone. He's 'bushed.'" Sans burst out in laughter from that awful joke, leaving his taller brother in fumes.

"I thought you were another houseguest that didn't blare out these kinds of jokes!" Papyrus wept, his cartoon-ish eyes with pupils exposed as comically large streams of tears flowed down his face. "First Toriel, now this!"

"Aw don't cry, Papyrus," Sans replied, rubbing his brother's head. "I was just about to show Dante my 'trom-bone' solo." Papyrus, now rather angry about having to listen to two idiots laugh at each other's lame puns, left the dinner table with a pot still full of spaghetti.

"Ugh! I'm going up to my room!" Papyrus snapped, storming up the stairs to his room. "As for you, Sans, I'm expecting you to put more 'backbone' into your work. NYEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH-HEH!... Heh." The taller skeleton shut the door to his room, with Sans and Dante giggling at the puns they exchanged.

"'Leaf him alone…'" Sans muttered, trying to suppress his laughter. "That was a good one."

"Thanks," the Devil Hunter replied with a smile. "Y'know I love having you around to blare out these lame puns. It might actually help me while I'm hunting some demons… once I can actually get back home through the portal network."

"Huntin' down demons," Sans replied, resting his lower jaw on his hand. "Sounds rather interesting. I would attack a buncha demons if I could, but… I'm just too lazy right now."

"I see. Well anyway, I've fought a pretty unique demon with a name I'm sure you'll recognize… if you're into human history. His name's Marx, and I guess the puns you can make with that name are self-explanatory." Sans snickered at the thought, aware of what Dante was saying.

"Yeah, it's gettin' kinda late," Sans yawned, getting off his chair. "You can sleep on the couch for the night, if you want to. I'll still be up. I'm more of a night owl."

"Thanks, pal," Dante responded, pushing away his unfinished meal and heading towards a couch in front of a TV to lie down. As the Devil Hunter relaxed on the couch and exhaled deeply in satisfaction, Sans glanced up at his bedroom door, which was marked with "Keep Out" signs. The skeleton looked back on his plate, which was untouched. The skeleton wearing the blue hoodie sat down in his chair, pulling the plate close to himself. He took a fork and ate some of Papyrus's spaghetti, trying to combat the taste before he was actually enjoying the flavor.

At least he knew Papyrus made something edible, even if there were those that couldn't taste the good within the bad.


Hours later, into the night, Dante heard a thumping sound near him. The Devil Hunter was curious about what could be making that noise at this time of night. He groaned as he sat up, trying to drown out the noise just to get some sleep.

"The hell…?" Dante asked, recognizing that the sound came from upstairs. In front of Sans's room. The Son of Sparda suddenly figured out it was Sans himself, still wearing those casual clothes and slamming his bedroom door again and again.

"Sans?" Dante quietly asked, climbing up the stairs. "What are you doing outside your room in the middle of the night?"

"Where is it…?" Sans mumbled, opening and closing his door again and again. Dark circles made their home under Sans's eye sockets, and he didn't seem to stop doing this repetitive action. By the time the Devil Hunter got up to the second floor, Papyrus exited his bedroom door while he was dressed in striped pajamas.

"Nyeh…?" Papyrus asked, still as annoyed by what Sans was trying to do.

"Sans?" Dante asked, tapping the short skeleton's shoulder. Sans swatted the Devil Hunter's hand away while giving him a glare which lacked the white pupils that prevented him from looking uncanny. The smaller skeleton opened and shut his door repeatedly once more.

"Papyrus?" Dante asked. "What's wrong with him?"

"I don't know!" Papyrus replied. "He explains this door takes him across time and space to another world he keeps mentioning, but… I've never seen him this worked up about it. Sans, please calm down!" The hooded skeleton didn't listen and slammed his door much harder, his left eye flickering with the colors of cyan and yellow but not going into full effect yet.

"Sans, listen to us," Dante tried to reason, attempting to pull Sans away to calm him down. "You can tell us what's wrong, but you need to-" Before Dante could say another word, he felt something heavy on his chest. There was nothing tightening on him, but his breath felt weaker by the minute. He soon saw a projection of what was supposedly the shape of his heart, which was glowing with the aura of a deep blue. The Devil Hunter was thrown across the second floor, flying past Papyrus and hitting the wall near the stairs. Dante could only watch as Sans slammed his boney hands on the door, cussing under his breath and stepping away to spawn something in thin air. It looked like the appearance of a draconic skull with horns, with eyes of yellow and blue flickering just like Sans's left eye.

"Work, you ungrateful piece of-" Sans growled as the floating draconic skull opened its jaws, ready to fire a powerful laser at his room's door.

"SANS!" Papyrus exclaimed, interrupting Sans before he finished his sentence. The tall skeleton hugged his brother, holding him close to his chest. Sans's left eye flickered into black as the skull beside him faded into dust, and the smaller skeleton relaxed into his brother's hug. He didn't try to resist as beads of tears began to build up in his eyes, dripping from his face as he left the open door untouched. Dante got up from his spot to look at what was inside Sans's room, and even if the lights were off the room looked like a dump.

A small tornado of random junk was swirling around near the door, containing crumpled-up papers and dirty clothes. Cardboard boxes were stacked next to each other, and there was also a stained mattress with unused sheets. It was anything but that other world, as Papyrus put it. Sans opened up his eyes, revealing those pupils of white once more as he looked up the skeleton brother trying to calm him down.

"...Papyrus?" Sans asked, looking at the two men that were sleeping under the same roof. "I'm… sorry I acted like this. I just… need to take a walk."

"Sans, you always need to take a walk," Papyrus pointed out. "I'm… worried about you. You were acting weird, and now my suspicions might have been confirmed." Sans lifted up his hand, coating his door in cyan and yellow. The door vanished without a trace, seemingly teleported elsewhere.

"You're probably right," Sans replied, placing his hands in his hoodie's pockets. "I just need to relax. Yeah, that's it. I'll be back soon, k?" The whole house went dark for a moment, and Sans was gone just as Papyrus and Dante tried to learn what exactly happened.

"He's never been like this…" Papyrus sighed, getting back up to his feet. "Days ago, he was far more concerned about entering his room than normal. He would do it every night when he thought I was still asleep. I've never seen him this upset before. Perhaps you should follow him. Maybe even take him to your world. Just… something to help him fix whatever problem there is…"


The Devil Hunter was just outside the house he was sleeping in, running downhill while he looked for Sans in the very early dawn that was still dark.

"Sans? Sans!" Dante called out, looking high and low as far as his enhanced vision could perceive. The half-demon then found the short skeleton sitting on a rock near the road, looking out to the stars that were twinkling way up high. Sans didn't move a muscle as he gazed above the lights in the town.

"Dante… When you said you can't go back to your world now, do you really mean it?" Sans asked, aware that the Devil Hunter was next to him.

"I mean, I think so," Dante answered. "When I tested that pellet they gave me before I left to kill some demons in my town, it had no effect. Either it was a dud or something more serious is going on. What does this have to do with your door anyway?" Sans sighed as he looked back at the half-demon before staring up at the sky once more.

"The night is always my favorite time of the day," Sans explained, pretending to ignore the question the Devil Hunter asked. "Do you ever look up at the stars and wonder what life is like on other planets? How does every constellation tell a story about the world you live in? Is there really someone greater than we can imagine who created us just so we can live meaningless lives?" The skeleton got off the rock he was sitting on, walking down the hill with Dante trailing behind him.

"...You don't have to ask me," Sans noted before the Devil Hunter said anything. "I know what you're going to say. You're wondering why I got so angry over my own bedroom door. Whenever I enter that place… it's like I'm in another world. A world only I can see unless I allow others to give in to the darkness. Is it true? That something involving your portal network is affecting mine?"

"I don't know," Dante replied. "I don't necessarily know the ins and outs of my own, and my damn pellet's probably busted. Have you tried recalibrating that door?" Sans glanced at Dante, knowing full well that this exact bedroom door was a serious topic that was no laughing matter. His silence alone was enough to shut the Devil Hunter up as he moved to another topic.

"I don't know if you already know, but… I've been thinking a bit about alternate universes," Sans continued. "A collection of timelines organized into different worlds where one outcome leads to another. I, myself, have never seen these worlds or even have the abilities to access them, but I know they exist. I know of a world where Papyrus and I swapped personalities. I know of a world where all monsters have become crueler versions of themselves. I know of a world where all monsters were banished to space instead of underground. I know of worlds that present me as some kind of god, worlds where roles have been shifted, worlds where monsters go insane after having been locked underground for so long and resort to eating human flesh… worlds of cannibalistic monsters… worlds where we have all become mutants. Freaks. Amalgamations. Heartless beasts…" Sans's white pupils flickered with a sign of trauma from the thoughts he conjured in his head, aware that a majority of these worlds are, in fact, real… or only theoretical.

"Oh, geez," Dante replied. "I have no idea why you would say that. It's like you know everything is meaningless…"

"That door… it calls to me every night," Sans went on. "It beckons me to fix something that isn't there. It wants me to stay, like I was born in a world that lives in the dark. And through that door, I would be taken back into that dark. Papyrus told you, didn't he? Yeah, my little bro already knows I'm pretty weird, but what he doesn't know is what I've been through in searching for answers."

"To what?" Dante asked, still filled with so many questions.

"That's the point. I don't know," Sans continued, those dark circles hiding some kind of meaning in them. "I met someone there, and their friend went completely bonkers ages ago after encountering a strange someone. It wasn't their Knight, and it wasn't their Queen either. It was someone I seemed to recognize and at the same time... don't.

"He spouted out random nonsense and told us that this world… isn't what you think it is. It's merely a collection of codes and bots programmed to think and behave like sentient beings through a collection of timelines, and I was forever cursed with this knowledge. And you are I: we're a part of it. But that's ridiculous… right? Nothing more than the lies of a nihilistic nonbeliever who only wants to watch our worlds burn. The beliefs he would go through to force others into twisted games of death just to know what it's like. The stories he would tell of… them. The ones deciding our fates, casting us in completely impossible scenarios that stray from what was intended of our original endings. The ones beyond our control as they play with us like toys. The ones we'll never meet, forever trapped in a loop of resetting, until eventually… the world you know is discarded and forgotten for all eternity."

"Wow… that is pretty deep," Dante replied, unable to object on that full statement. "And here I thought you were just the dumb, wisecracking skeleton everybody loves."

"...I still am," Sans continued, shrugging off all he said like it was nothing. "I just have a lot going on inside my head. Besides, who would actually believe that stuff? Hell if I know." The morning sun began to slowly rise, bringing forth a new shining day. Sans continued walking with Dante as he recognized the half-demon was filled with so many questions. The Devil Hunter wanted the refusal to believe in what he was told. He didn't know what he would do if the mere thought of his whole life being a lie was entirely true and contradicts all that he went through, even the trauma he got from losing his mother.

"Anyways, wanna head over to Grillby's again?" Sans asked, trying to lighten the mood after figuring out that the Devil Hunter had a lot on his mind. "They've got a breakfast specialty; 30% off on all foods."

"Yeah, sure… I'd like that," Dante answered. "Though I wonder: do they have any pizza?"

"I'm not sure," Sans added, with both he and Dante walking along the sidewalk at the bottom of the hill. "Maybe Grillby has a menu on pizza. I'll have to ask him later if he-" The small skeleton's eyes suddenly widened in fright, his white pupils vanishing as nothing but black eye sockets remained. Sans clenched the front of his chest as he knelt down in pain, his monster heart beating fast as he could feel a burst of magic circulate inside him.

"Sans? Sans, are you alright!?" Dante asked, concerned about the health of Sans as he picked up the skeleton back onto his feet.

"Th… Thanks, pal," Sans panted as the white pupils faded back into his eyes as he caught his breath and the magic inside him subsided and calmed down. "It was like a burst of energy was… flowing through my veins…" A phone began to vibrate in the skeleton's pocket, calling as if someone wanted him to answer. Sans pushed himself away from the Devil Hunter and picked up his cellphone, wondering who was calling him.

"Sans?" Alphys's voice asked through the phone. "Sans, are you here?"

"Yeah, I'm here," Sans answered.

"Well, do you know about the magic detector you wanted me to use earlier?" Alphys continued through the phone. "I, um… managed to pick up a powerful burst of magic. Come quick!" The call ended, and Sans put the phone back in his pocket.

"Let's go," Sans spoke, snapping his fingers. Just at that moment, the bedroom door that vanished in front of the short skeleton's room instantly appeared behind Dante in a way that not even his demonic powers were able to predict.

"What the-?" Dante asked as Sans walked up to the door. "How did that thing get here? I thought you-"

"Got a unique inventory that lets me keep whatever's important," Sans replied, twisting the knob and unleashing those harmless flames to reveal nothing but darkness inside. The Devil Hunter looked behind the door frame, finding out that the back appeared normal like any other door left out in the open.

"Pretty neat," Dante complimented, following Sans into this strange place. The door shut behind the two as they were now wandering in the dark just straight ahead.

"So how do you know where you're going?" Dante asked, trying to keep close to the mysterious short skeleton.

"I trust my 'gut' instincts," Sans replied with a stifled laugh, making yet another pun as he tried to hide the humor from that response. The Son of Sparda chuckled at that joke, loving it as much as Sans does. The skeleton stopped walking and placed his hand on a knob, opening the door into the light. The two were in some kind of basement, filled with lab equipment and computer screens. Alphys herself was rapping her fingers patiently on her desk, with Undyne watching the recorded feedback next to her.

"Nyah, there's my favorite gentlemen!" Undyne called out, letting her girlfriend Alphys know that their two friends had arrived seemingly out of nowhere. "Welcome, welcome! Alphys has been anxious for the past few seconds to tell you some important information." Sans walked over to Alphys, who adjusted her position into a more comfortable one in her working chair.

"Hey, Alphys," Sans greeted. "Got any information?"

"Why, of course!" Alphys replied, handing the skeleton another seismograph sheet. "Try comparing the two seismograph papers together. I think the most recent one is much bigger." Sans took out the sheet he took with him and compared the two readings, realizing the one Alphys gave him now was far bigger than the one yesterday.

"Can you explain to me why that's the case?" Sans asked. Alphys typed away on her computer, playing the feedback recorded earlier. On the feedback, a humongous, draconic creature with ten heads flew across a large mountain, flying straight across.

"According to this footage," Alphys explained, "a strange monster never before seen in neither human nor monster history just entered this world, carrying a powerful kind of magic that supposedly landed on Mt. Ebott and sank deep underground. I'm gonna need you two to go down there and collect some evidence so we can keep studying this kind of magic. The readings are unlike any I've ever seen..." Sans glanced up at the playback of the recording, analyzing ten figures attacking those heads, with their faces too hard to notice even at the highest resolution.

"Hey, when did this footage occur?" Dante asked.

"About a few seconds ago," Alphys answered.

"...I felt a burst of energy inside me during that time," Sans pointed out, remembering the painful experience he witnessed like a heart attack. "I don't think it was pure coincidence at all." Alphys turned her chair around, stroking her chin in thought.

"Hm… you do have a good point," Alphys responded. "Perhaps once you get down to Mount Ebott, you can get the answers as to why."

"Alright, we'll do it," Sans answered, thinking about that door of his with no second thoughts. "And we're gonna make this quick."

"Please do," Undyne told the Devil Hunter and the skeleton, her arms crossed over her chest. "We don't know how severe that magic is gonna affect our own abilities." The room went dark for a brief moment, and both Sans and Dante were gone.

"How are we gonna tell Papyrus about this?" Undyne asked.

"I don't know. You're the one answering most of these questions," Alphys replied with a look of worry on her face. "My suspicions are Papyrus might soon figure this out. He's not a child anymore, and soon he might learn the truth about everything…"


The warm sunlight glistened over Cloud's face as he slept in a silky and comfortable bed. The ex-mercenary was dressed in a pair of shorts and a white tank-top, rubbing his eyes and stretching as he slowly woke up without hesitation. The faint smell of cinnamon and butterscotch tingled his nostrils, helping him become curious on what exactly was cooking outside of that room.

Cloud Strife walked down the stairs, still dressed in his sleepwear, to figure out what exactly was that delicious smell. There, he found Link up and early, dressed in his Champion's Tunic and a white apron as he took out of the stove oven something that looked kinda like a pumpkin pie but smelled completely different.

"Link…?" Cloud asked, watching the Champion of Hyrule close the oven and place a freshly-baked pie on a small round table. Sitting next to the table were Frisk and a goat-like monster with small horns, white fur, and a purple robe with a winged emblem imprinted upon her bosom.

"Wonderful job, Link!" the goat-like monster praised Link, who was cutting up the pie and serving it on small plates. "A perfect butterscotch-cinnamon pie, and no lumps in sight!"

"Thanks, Toriel," Link thanked, taking off his apron and sitting down with the goat monster and Frisk to eat his own culinary dessert. Toriel took a bite out of her slice, giggling as she tasted the creamy filling within the pie.

"I'm kind of curious as to ask, and I hope you don't mind: how are you such an amazing chef?" Toriel asked. "You seasoned this whole thing perfectly!"

"I kinda don't want to brag, but… I've been spending most of my days out in the wild. The secret is to test the smells and tastes of whatever you cook." Toriel laughed at the fact that Hylian was a grown man living in the wild, but she knew Link was a great chef regardless of where he got his skills. Cloud watched the conversation at the bottom of the stairs, a smile on his face as he watched Link interact with these kinds of people. Link soon noticed his friend just eavesdropping on the talk over breakfast.

"Oh! Cloud," Link noted. "Come over here and eat with us. We saved you a seat."

"Nah, I'm not really hungry," Cloud replied, scratching the back of his neck with a bit of bashfulness.

"Come on~!" Link called out, encouraging the 1st-class SOLDIER to eat with them.

"Eh, okay," Cloud chuckled, walking over to the round table and pulling up his seat. Link placed a slice of pie in front of him, and he admired just how good it looked. He heard that the Hylian had some cooking knowledge, but the way this slice of pie appeared was enough for Cloud to pick up the message. He took a piece from his plate and put it into his mouth, and the flavors just exploded in his mouth.

"Link… this is phenomenal," Cloud replied. "I mean, this is the best dish I've ever tasted. Nice work."

"Thanks," Link answered with a cheeky smile on his face. "It's been a while since someone's complimented me…"

"Aw, how cute…" Toriel replied with a smile on her face, finishing up her slice of pie. "Well, I'm going to prepare Frisk's supplies. It's their first day, and it only takes a few minutes to walk to the school. Now you better finish that meal, child. We'll be leaving in just ten minutes." Toriel walked away from the round table to prepare the child for school, leaving Frisk alone with the two houseguests. Frisk sighed with something on their mind, glad they at least got the job done.

*You tell Cloud and Link that you did a good job in helping them reconcile, Frisk's textbox read. *You ask them how they are feeling after the make-up.

"Oh, we're feeling fine, thanks for asking," Cloud replied. "...I guess we could all pitch in to help Link not get too confident or something…" Frisk finished up their pie, their expression still blank but still bearing that look of some deeper meaning.

*You address it's finally time for the thing you want to get out of your chest, the black textbox read for every word of dialogue spoken by Frisk. *You act nervous at first, but you point out that you can see how many lives these two swordfighters have. Link and Cloud glanced at each other, rather interested in learning more and at the same time… rather scared.

"How many lives?" Link asked. "You mean you were right when there was a… limit to how many times we can die?"

"I don't know," Cloud answered. "This kid could be bluffing. There's no way this can possibly be true…" Frisk took a deep breath as they lifted their hands up, and a textbox instantly appeared in front of them. The blond-haired fighters were surprised to find an entire menu of stats displayed on it, ranging from health points to level experience and an inventory stacked with various foods.

"Oh my…" Cloud Strife pointed out, feeling the semi-solid texture of the black box. "I've never seen an inventory like this before…"

"Me neither…" Link replied, feeling his hand pass through the floating box.

*You tell the two swordfighters that everyone has a menu like this and can check the stats of any individual they encounter, but you are the only one that can interact with yours, Frisk's textbox read once more. *You have had no memory of when or how you obtained this ability, by you know of the ones who use it to their advantage. The ones playing the game right now. The ones who built this world and programs all our actions. You're the only one who knows about this… and it fills you with FEAR. But that's for another time...

"Hey! If we really aren't as immortal as we thought then tell us… how many stocks do we have left?" Link asked, the first one starting to become more self-aware about Frisk's ideologies. Frisk tapped the "*check" button on their menu, reading the statistics of her friends.

*You tell Link he's got 6 more lives, whereas Cloud has 8 lives, Frisk replied. *You suggested they should be more careful in their fights. Otherwise, when they run out of stocks, their bodies will eventually crumble… into dust.

Link felt conflicted about this, worrying he might not be as immortal as he thought. It might have probably been a lie, and the mere silence was enough for the Champion of Hyrule to get the memo. But Frisk said so themselves: they can check the stats of anyone with just a fancy-looking menu that is otherwise only accessible to some god-like deities that may or may not exist.

Cloud noticed that there were supposed to be four buttons, but one of them was missing. The buttons available were FIGHT, MERCY, and CONTINUE.

"Hey, Frisk," Cloud pointed out. "What's that gap between those buttons?" Frisk was fully aware of the gap, looking up at the ex-mercenary in order to answer as best as they could.

*You say there used to be a RESET button here. The most powerful button anyone can have, Frisk's textbox explained. It can erase memories, take you back to a moment where you missed something important as long as you saved… and restart everything you've worked up to. By resetting, you can manipulate the roles of any character you encounter… dictating them like a god. You didn't want this kind of power. You didn't want to manipulate your world at a whim. You just wanted to be a normal human child living with a foster goat mother, but… curiosity and ignorance driven by determination can lead to situations unimaginable. Frisk rested their elbows on the table, content with the life they've got. Link and Cloud Strife stared at the empty gap that resided in the menu, picking up the message the human child was trying to explain.

"I guess we're not so different, you and I," Link sighed, pushing away the pie he made. "We both use our own powers to an advantage, but I guess we let it dictate our way of thinking to the point where it expands beyond our limitations. You might have probably recovered from it at such a young age, but…" The Champion of Hyrule hung his head low, feeling rather dishonored about himself.

"Hey, Link?" Cloud told Link, placing his hand over the Hylian's. "It's not your fault. You just kinda lost your sense of way. Like I mentioned before: I'll be happy to help you use more than just those fancy skills of yours."

"Thanks, Cloud…" Link replied, feeling a little better about himself.

"My child!" Toriel called out to Frisk. "I've got your things packed up. We're gonna be walking to school now, so I hope you're ready." Frisk got off from their seat, waving goodbye to the two fighters as they ran over to Toriel, hugging her dress.

"Oh! You're quite affectionate today, aren't you?" Toriel asked, chuckling as she slipped the backpack over the child's shoulders. "Hey, Link? Thanks for that wonderful pie. And Cloud? You might wanna get dressed. Asgore's here for his gardening shift and he's currently trimming the hedges near the house. See you~!" Toriel left the house with Frisk, closing the door behind them.

"Alright, I'm gonna get dressed in my uniform," Cloud Strife told Link as he walked away from the dinner table.

"Okay," Link replied. "I'll be talking to this Asgore eye outside." As Cloud went upstairs, Link quickly wolfed down his slice of pie and went outside Toriel's house. The Hylian took a quick glance at Toriel walking down the street with her loving human child, accompanied by an armless reptilian monster that was yellow in color and had what appeared to be bruises under their eyes.

Link glanced over to the fence on his right, having just taken notice of the monster trimming the small hedges with a pair of shears. He was a goat-like monster just like Toriel, bearing a bulky body and some curved horns to accommodate his golden mane-beard. He was wearing a white Aloha shirt with pink flowers and a pair of blue denim shorts with some sandals.

"Um… hi there," Link greeted. "Your name's Asgore, right? Asgore Dreemurr?" The goat monster stopped trimming for a brief moment to glance over at Link with a kind and modest smile on his face.

"That's correct," Asgore answered in a kind and gruff voice, brushing off some of the overgrown twigs that were trimmed off the small hedges. "It seems like only a few humans in this world still know my name, even after thousands of years."

"Thousands of years?" Link asked. "How is that possible?"

"Well… I am technically a Boss Monster. The highest authority one has over a race of monsters," Asgore explained.

"Authority? You mean like a king?" Link questioned, just curious on what kind of species Asgore is.

"I guess you can say that," Asgore chuckled. "It's been a while ever since I actually took the throne and ruled in a monarchy-based government. Even though I'm technically royalty, I tend to spend these days doing the one thing I enjoy the most. Gardening. Toriel these days has been paying me extra to tend to her plants, but I guess that's from a sign of forgiveness after we… got divorced."

"Divorced? You mean Toriel and you were…?"

"Married? Of course. We ruled over the monsters during our time underground. A child was born between us. A pure bundle of joy. The underground was filled with hope and determination. The second time this happened, a human child fell below the surface as was brought into our family. Now they're not the same human you've probably encountered in your time here, just to avoid any confusion. The one you seem to recognize is serving as the ambassador to keep the peace between humans and monsters."

"Anyways, after we lost them to the humans one night… I was enraged. Filled with grief. Sickened by my declaration of war, Toriel left me. I was foolish back then. To this day, I still wonder if things had been any different. If I took Toriel's advice to absorb that child's SOUL, travel to the surface, and use the SOULs I've gathered to destroy the barrier keeping us trapped below that mountain…" Over to the Hylian's left was a large mountain far off in the distance past Frisk's and Toriel's neighborhood, obscured by a few clouds rolling by.

"You mean this one?" Link asked, pointing towards that mountain. Asgore knew what the Hylian was talking about and softly nodded his head.

"Do you mean Mt. Ebott?" Asgore acknowledged. "If you and your friends want to visit that place, you can do so if you want. It's not like there's much there anyway, but you can learn about how we used to live there…" Asgore resumed his work, and Cloud Strife exited Toriel's house in his usual uniform.

"Cloud!" Link recognized. "Glad to see you finally got dressed."

"Alright, the pellets still aren't working, and it doesn't look like we can leave this world anytime soon," Cloud explained, tossing the Hylian his pellet even if it wasn't functioning. Link caught the pellet, placing it in one of his pouches.

"Anything you wanna do today?" Cloud asked.

"Well… I was wondering if we should go over to Mt. Ebott," Link suggested. "Asgore said this place was where all these monsters once lived. Maybe we should check it out?"

"I guess so," Cloud replied. "Maybe it might give us an explanation as to why there are two intelligent races living on the same planet."

"Bye, Asgore!" Link called out as he walked down the concrete sidewalk leading straight to the mountain. Asgore waved at the two swordsmen as they went off to Mt. Ebott, unaware of the magic released by the Hydra that flew overhead prior to all this.


Link and Cloud Strife climbed up a pathway to the middle of the large mountain, gazing down into a humongous pit leading straight down into the dark world below. It seemed to go on for meters and meters until eventually… the only light they could see below was a mere sparkle.

"Should have brought some rope…" Cloud sighed, scratching that spiky hair of his. "Should we wait up for Dante? We haven't seen him since yesterday."

"I'm sure he'll be fine, since he's half-demon and all," Link replied, taking out his glider to use. "Well… looks like the only option is to use my glider to get a soft landing. Wanna hold on?" Cloud Strife glanced down at the abyss again, which seemed to get darker as time went on. The ex-mercenary held on tight to the Champion of Hyrule from behind, clinging for dear life as the Hylian jumped into the pit with him.

The blond-haired swordsmen watched as the light shining above them began to shrink, and the ground was easier to identify. When the two got close to the ground, Link pulled out his glider. Cloud let go of the Hylian and landed in petals of gold, feeling the quiet wind tickle his skin. The Smashers recognized they were in a bed of golden flowers, nourishing themselves with the only sunlight in this entire place.

"Wow… even in the darkness, I can see clearly," Link pointed out, mesmerized by the ocean of golden flowers that stretched out across the purple ruins just straight ahead.

"We're just here to learn about how these monsters lived, right?" Cloud asked, looking around the place. "Do we just journey straight ahead?"

"I guess so, since I see no other way around these ruins," Link replied, his habit of running ahead kicking in as he dashed straight for the open ruins.

"Hey, Link!" Cloud called out, dashing through the field of golden flowers. "Wait up!" While the two disappeared into the ruins, one of the flowers began to move, though it wasn't from the soft winds. It literally moved with signs of sentience, sporting six golden petals and a friendly face on a white head, and it looked exactly similar to the one encountered in the Worlds of Light and Darkness.

"Hm… new humans? After a thousand resets?" the flower asked, curious about their strange placement. "Perhaps I can pay them a little visit…" The flower sank back into the ground, following them through the decaying ruins.

The fighters journeyed across the darkened ruins up the crumbling stairs, seeing that there used to be a puzzle that involved stepping on buttons. There were leaves that crinkled below their feet wherever they stepped, and water trickled down the cracks in the walls. All in all, the place was entirely quiet and empty.

"Hm… looks like this place wasn't so heavy on the defenses," Cloud noted, analyzing a pathway where a bunch of spikes used to be. "Well… maybe a few exceptions." The ex-mercenary tossed a small rock across the pathway, watching as the spikes quickly rose out before sinking back into the holes.

"Whelp… looks like we're gonna have to run across," Link told the 1st-class SOLDIER.

"Agreed," Cloud replied, holding Link's hand. The two Smashers dashed as fast as they could, running across the pathway before they got impaled by the spikes. They made it safely across without figuring out the safe route to the other side. Nonetheless, they continued through the ruins and made it to an abandoned household shortly after.

There was no door already, granting the two free access into the place. What they found instead was nothing but floorboards and no light in sight, with the exception of a stairway leading down to their exit. As they checked where the living room, the kitchen, the hallway, and the two rooms adjacent to it, they discovered that whatever furniture was around was completely gone.

"Interesting… looks like the rooms here were made for some guests," Cloud pointed out.

"Hey, wait," Link replied, noticing the markings that could be seen past the dust. "These markings show that… the size of the furniture is exactly like how Toriel arranged the guest room."

"Now that you mention it, I can kinda see it," Cloud replied, aware of what the Hylian was talking about. "Look. You can even see the same placements."

"I guess this used to be Toriel's home after all," Link noted. "Asgore told me he and Toriel were once together, but… now they're not anymore. Cloud... do you think the same might happen to us?" Cloud Strife knew that the Hylian was trying to tell him about the divorce between the Dreemurr family, and he hugged Link with a clear sign of intimacy.

"I hope not…" Cloud answered, knowing their friendship is stronger than anything. Link accepted the hug willingly, and after another minute of searching they made their way into the basement. They basically made their way out of the ruins and were heading straight towards the exit, but there was just one thing in front of them: a golden flower on an empty patch of ground.

"A flower blooming in the only fertile ground around here?" Cloud asked, looking at the flower with careful analysis. The face on the flower began to emerge, blinking with a friendly smile.

"Howdy!" the flower greeted. "I'm Flowey! Flowey the Flower!" Link soon began to remember the hell he had been through with some of his teammates in Gallia and Draxia. He remembered the devilish smile that creature sported, and how it attacked them in his Omega form. The Champion of Hyrule pointed his sword at the flower, but Cloud Strife lowered his weapon.

"Woah, take it easy," Flowey advised with caution, giving Link a strange look. "It's as if you've seen a ghost. One that kinda looks like me…" Link slowly put the Master Sword back in his blade, but his hand was still kept on the handle just in case.

"Um… What are you talking about?" Link pointed out through a question of his own. "You mean you don't remember attacking us? How you unleashed that Rathalos? How you destroyed an abandoned town in your Omega form?"

"Remember what?" Flowey asked. "I legit don't know what you're talking about. Honest. I don't even know what a Rathalos is or who… you two are. In all those resets of meeting that same human child, I had been waiting for them and Chara to return."

"Chara?" Cloud questioned. "Who are they?"

"Why… they're my best friend, of course!" Flowey replied with a wink and a smile while sticking his tongue out. "Through multiple resets, I could hear them calling out to me. Waiting to be released through determination… after we failed our plan. But that pathetic human brat you guys call Frisk destroyed that button of theirs so they could no longer start over and play through the game again and again."

"We just want to know why you can't remember us," Link interrogated. "Now answer us this: do you remember anything about Arcus? Arcadia? The Worlds of Light and Darkness?" Flowey bowed down to the ground, having no clear memory of what exactly happened.

"I clearly don't remember," Flowey confessed. "The only world I know that works is this one. If you've had some roughs with me - at least an alternate version of me that isn't even a perfect duplicate - just know I put those actions far behind me… You're free to explore the underground, if you'd like. It's not like there's much after all the monsters left and I'm forever stuck here without a single reset."

"...How would we know you wouldn't kill us when you've got the chance?" Link asked.

"Because… you've got quite a power that exceeds even the determination of this world," Flowey replied. "I can feel it. From both of you. In fact… months ago, I found a strange prize that was taken to the dump, and I couldn't let it go to waste. But maybe after you continue that tour of yours you can get that prize. Shouldn't take any effort at all. Nobody's even here to stop you." Flowey sank back into the ground, letting the two swordfighters go on their way.

"How do you know we can trust this plant?" Link asked.

"Good question," Cloud answered. "We're still going to keep our guards up regardless." The ex-mercenary walked through the exit, and Link ran up to him as they stepped onto a path of snow. All around the Smashers were trees with barren branches, and the snow reached up to their ankles. Ahead of the two was a large gate with bars too wide to stop anyone. They made their way into an abandoned neighborhood, where there were signs that anthropomorphic dogs and other cuddly monsters used to live here from the litter, and the windows were blinded completely. At the main road to the small town, the Champion of Hyrule glanced over to a sign greeting any traveling visitors.

"'Welcome to Snowdin,'" Link read the painted letters out loud. The population count was painted over to show the number "zero," perhaps as yet another way to show that anyone who once lived in this town left the underground like it was a prison of sorts. Within the town, Cloud Strife and Link noticed an empty slot of land just out in the snowy open, aware that there used to be some kind of house on the property.

"Interesting…" Cloud noted, walking around the empty property as the snow crinkled underneath his boots. It's like the whole house was literally taken from its spot." The ex-mercenary then stepped on something that wasn't snow. He looked down below his foot to see a crumpled-up sheet of paper just lying in the snow, soaking itself in the frozen blanket of white. Cloud took the paper out, carefully unfolding it without tearing it. The colors were watered out and mixing into each other as they ran, but he could recognize that there were three figures on the paper, their faces abstracted. There were also letters written above the figures, by which he could interpret it reading as "Don't forget."

"Cloud! There's a waterfall area just up ahead!" Link called out to him. Cloud gently folded the paper and placed it in his pocket before running east towards the Champion of Hyrule.

The sound of running water echoed right around them, with an ice-cold river glimmering with a deep cyan the same color as Cloud's eyes. Mushrooms and moss were scattered around in patches, and lily-like flowers with bioluminescent petals bloomed all over the place.

"Hello?" Link called out in the empty landscape, hearing his own voice echo across the waterfall area. The Hylian's voice could be heard calling from the flowers, which picked up his sound and repeated what he said. Cloud knelt down to analyze the flower, admiring how they behaved exactly like an echo. He whistled a single note to test the flowers out, and they repeated that whistled note across the waterfall.

"This is pretty fascinating," Cloud noted. "I've never seen flowers like these before. I just wish Aerith was still alive. She would have loved to hear my voice through them…" The 1st-class SOLDIER still felt guilty over the friend he lost, and Link could feel the sorrow coming from his friend. The Champion of Hyrule knelt down close to Cloud Strife, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sure her voice still carries on through these flowers," Link assured, his voice also filled with sorrow intended to comfort his friend. "If she's listening right now… I could see her smiling back at you." The Hylian's other hand wiped the tear falling from Cloud's eye, and the ex-mercenary gently moved it to his own cheek for affection.

"Thanks, pal," Cloud told Link, accepting Link's kind words before he got back up onto his feet. "But I guess what's in the past is in the past. That flower's got something we've probably been looking for, and I don't know if these pellets still work. Link? Is yours functional?" Link took the pellet, giving it a quick squeeze.

"Nope," the Hylian replied. "It's still not responding. Besides, we can worry about that prize later and head to the next location. I'm curious to see the rest of the underground."

Link and Cloud traveled across a rocky chasm that was filled with an ocean of lava, the temperature as hot as an oven and the air was thick with smoky fumes. There were multiple pathways leading across the area, and in front of them was some kind of massive laboratory with its metallic slide door already pried open. The fighters walked into the lab, noticing that the lights were shut off.

"Looks like this was Alphys's place before she moved out," Cloud Strife figured, analyzing the wires sticking out of the sockets of where various electronics were once attached. There was a huge tear in the wall, but it was rather dark to notice. A scuffling sound could be heard within the crack, and Cloud listened to the sound of footsteps echoing deep inside.

"Cloud?" Link asked. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing," Cloud answered. "Let's just go." As the two went to the other side of the lab and traveled to their next destination, a pair of eyes that glimmered like sapphires peered out from the darkness within that tear in the wall.

"The Air Topaz is close," the voice told himself. "It won't be long, Mephiles."

It had been a while, but in the end the two made it to the end of their tour of the underground by traversing an abandoned hotel first and the hallways of the castle second. Unlike everything else within the underground that was seemingly cleaned up, the last corridor Link and Cloud Strife arrived in seemed unchanged despite having no furniture. A thin blanket of dust bunnies were crowded near the Greek pillars that were lined up in two straight rows near the stretching walls, and the white light that shone through the windows was tinted with a golden hue.

"Looks like this is the end of our trip," Link reminded, seeing the exit just up ahead. "It was kinda interesting to see how the monsters of this world used to live here… and I guess I can thank you for opening up my mind."

"It's still going to be difficult to change that attitude of yours, but I can guarantee you that you will change for the better. You will still be the Hero of Hyrule your universe speaks of… just not as over-confident." The two Smashers walked down the hall, stopping as Flowey emerged from the yellow marble floor right in front of them.

"That was fun, huh?" Flowey told them. "Just a simple tour around the old world of the monsters to give you a sense of imagination. But I guess it's time to say goodbye. Out there, past the golden flower bed in the next room, is a door to the surface world. But I guess I should give you what you guys deserve. At least I think you do. Judging by the way gusts of wind blew around it and it reeked of an ancient power, I'd figured I would give it to you two." A small cluster of thorny vines emerged in front of Flowey, blossoming to reveal a glimmering flash of blue. The gem itself was cut into a cubic shape, marked with a swirl shape and three letters in that same language as was on the Earth Citrine.

"Is that…?" Cloud asked.

"The Air Topaz! I forgot we were looking for those kinds of jewels!" Link exclaimed, feeling like he was an idiot for not noticing sooner.

"Is that what this jewel was called?" Flowey questioned, taking a good look at the gemstone. "I couldn't really tell because the writing carved into this gem is… unlike any language I've ever seen. I didn't really know what to do with this considering there's nothing here in this world… or any other. I'm kinda curious about what you speak of, and I hope one day our paths can cross again." The Champion of Hyrule was just about to take the Air Topaz after Flowey was offering it to them as a tribute, but something happened instead.

The flower put on a malicious smile, his eyes narrowing into empty sockets and a demonic grin stretching across his face. Cloud's eyes widened in the fear that the flower was going to betray them, and he knew just what to do to help Link avoid any more danger.

"Link! Look out!" Cloud exclaimed, pushing the Hylian to the floor as the vines retreated into the ground with the Air Topaz and Flowey lashed a powerful vine out that looked like it was aiming at the two fighters.

However, Flowey was not aiming for them at all.

The flower saw a figure in the shadows at the entrance to the corridor, aware they were attempting to shoot his new friends with a golden bow graced with jewels and ivory. As a reaction, Flowey shot his vine out at the hidden intruder. Before the vine could hit the figure, he put away his bow and jumped out of the shadows, running across the flower's large vine. Link and Cloud got up to see the appearance of the attacker.

The man had short black hair with defined cheekbones and cocoa-colored skin, wearing a blue cape with golden markings and a small laurel crown. He wore leather boots and chest armor, shooting daggers made out of ice at the vine he was running on. Flowey shrieked like a cat, unleashing more vines at the stranger. The strange person stopped instantly, slamming his foot into the ground and unleashing a single wave of water to trap the vines.

Link grabbed his Master Sword and cut straight through the ice, with Cloud jumping out from behind him to unleash a Blade Beam at the stranger.

"Who are you!?" Cloud interrogated, pointing his Buster Sword at the prince-like figure in a powerful stance as Flowey's vines retreated back into the floor. "Who are you, and what do you think you're doing here!?" The stranger laughed, shaking his head.

"Not even the most famous warriors in the multiverse know my name, don't they?" the prince asked in a heavily-accented tone. "I am Kirst the Triumphant, the Prince of Ice and a loyal servant of Eternia herself!" The prince's narrow eyes widened, exposing a pair of green irises in front of bloodshot eyes to prove a connection between him and Mephiles.

"Eternia? Who's she?" Flowey asked, still not letting go of the fact this person just attacked him.

"We don't know either," Cloud Strife answered. "We've been hearing only a few subtle hints about her…"

"Enough talk!" Kirst exclaimed, pointing his bow at the three fighters. "I have come here to bring my master your heads, and to make use of that flower with you! He possesses the very jewel I was tasked to look for."

"You can pry it from us first!" Link snarled, guarding himself with the Hylian Shield as he pointed his Master Sword at the Prince of Ice.

"That's what I plan to do, silent protagonist… or that's what I would call you if you didn't have the ability to speak up," Kirst replied, hinting that the Hylian before couldn't talk, or at the very least speak in grunts and yells. "So it's a three-on-one match, isn't it? Me… versus a traitor of his silence, a traitor of his organization, and a traitor of his motto. 'Kill or be killed'… isn't that what you were talking about prior to their arrival, flower? Mephiles told me all about you three…"

"HEY! For your information, I was gonna kill these morons before they grabbed that topaz! But now that you got here… well, I guess I can side with them and dispose of YOU first." Flowey confessed in an angry tone, his face reverting back into its demonic appearance as he spat out a rapid barrage of pellet-shaped bullets.

"Kill us first…?" Link asked in confusion as the fight began.

The Prince of Ice spread open his arms, creating two icy blades in his gloved hands. He danced around the bullets, deflecting each one that flew in his way. Link aimed his bow at Kirst, but the attacker drew his first, shooting an icy arrow that flew straight at its mark. The Hylian quickly dodged the arrow before it hit him, grabbing his Master Sword and dashing straight ahead while he and Cloud completely forgot about what Flowey intended on doing.

"While we're here, let me tell you a story about how I found Eternia," Kirst the Triumphant spoke, dodging Link's forward dash and Cloud's Cross Slash. Flowey emerged from behind the Prince of Ice and slapped Kirst from behind, knocking him into one of the pillars. The servant of Eternia quickly got back up on his feet, shooting an icy arrow that honed in on Cloud.

"I wasn't always dressed in such glamorous clothing," the Prince of Ice lamented, firing more arrows to hone in on the three faster than the speed of sound. "I was of the peasantry class, worse than you three." Flowey ducked beneath the ground, Link used his Sheikah Slate to erect an ice pillar in front of him to block the arrows, and Cloud danced around the flying arrows as they curved around to hit him. The arrows missed their targets, but as they all landed they transformed the ground into ice. The Prince of Ice skated across the frozen floor, dodging more of Flowey's vines emerging out of the pillars.

"I was only taught work and labor, never getting a break to rest," Kirst went on, blocking Link's thrust with his icy blades. "The common folk suffered under the intense desert weather and poor economy!" The Prince of Ice kicked Link forward before turning around and blocking Cloud's Climhazzard attack with his golden bow. The Champion of Hyrule hit one of the pillars with great force, groaning as he fell to the floor and tried to keep himself conscious enough to continue fighting.

"Despite putting our lives on the line, our masters only spent the money we made for them to bask in worthless luxuries while we were conquered and enslaved by neighboring kingdoms," the prince continued, jumping high into the air and launching a rain of spears down on the floor. "I was sure I would end up like one of my people… until Mephiles came." Cloud Strife grabbed Kirst's neck, slamming him onto the floor before thrusting his blade downward.

"He told me of a future where he would rebuild my society into a greater one, and all I had to do was use the gift of ice to conquer worlds in his name. Since then, I had kept my promise in his allegiance!" the prince dragged on, scratching Cloud's chest harshly with arctic claws. The 1st-class SOLDIER was knocked straight into the wall, with Flowey emerging from the floor next to him.

"Golly! How are you still alive?" Flowey asked as the ex-mercenary clenched his chest, trying to hold on as he got up. "Any normal human that faces him might end up dead with his speed and strength."

"I know… Link, hold on! I'm coming!" Cloud Strife called out to the Hylian, who was blocking Kirst's arrows with his practically indestructible shield. The 1st-class SOLDIER dashed straight after the Prince of Ice, his thick blade cutting through Kirst's chest. Regardless, as Cloud got up to Link's side and Flowey aimed some of his vines at the Prince of Ice like he was an octopus, Kirst the Triumphant still got up.

"And all those who defy Eternia's promise shall suffer the consequences!" Kirst finished, getting ready to fire a bombardment of flying ice spears that would kill all three of them.

Just then, before any of the spears could hit Kirst, a white bone hit the Prince of Ice straight at his forehead at top speed. Link, Cloud, and Flowey were soon drenched in a weak wave of water, unaware of what just happened.

"Heya, boys," Sans's voice called out to them from behind the trio. The two Smashers and the flower soon discovered the Devil Hunter himself allied with the short skeleton, having just arrived at the fight at the end of the hall.

"Dante?" Link asked. "How did you get here?"

"Went the same route all these monsters left through on the mountain," Dante replied. "And we got here as fast as we could from this loveable guy next to me…"

"Well, if it isn't Smiley Trashbag," Flowey replied, aware of Sans being in the situation.

"Good to see ya too, pal," Sans noted, his unfaltered expression revealing he knows about the flower. "How are those resets of your handling ever since I left with the other monsters?"

"Much better," Flowey replied, sporting a toothy grin and an evil scowl as he glanced over at Kirst the Triumphant. The Prince of Ice got back onto his feet, his cocoa skin and raven-black hair stained with red that was dripping from his head.

"You two Smashers might wanna sit this one out," Sans encouraged, taking a step forward. "The rest of us can deal with him. You've been plenty of help for now."

"How did you know we were Smashers?" Cloud asked, surprised when the skeleton found out who he and Link were.

"Don't know either," Dante confessed, drawing his blade at a charging Kirst while Flowey pulled out more tentacle-like vines. "From what I remember, I never told him about you guys… I think." Kirst drew his blades, stabbing them through Dante's chest. The Devil Hunter simply shrugged it off, knocking the Prince of Ice backwards with a powerful punch.

The servant of Eternia rolled back, cutting through the vines about to strike him. Flowey emerged below his feet, a devilish grin on his face as vines wrapped around Kirst's legs and suplexed him onto the floor. Sans himself walked straight ahead, slamming his salmon-pink sandal and creating a stack of bones beneath Kirst. The Prince of Ice jumped up, the tip of his foot scraping the ends of the bones and generating a purple mist.

Kirst the Triumphant set his eyes on Sans, attempting to cut him down with his dual blades. The skeleton simply danced around the slashes, dancing around the attacks at every opportunity.

"What?" Sans asked. "You think I'm just gonna stand there and take it?" The skeleton's eye sockets went dark as his left eye began to glow, grabbing Kirst's heart with that blue psychokinesis of his. Sans flung Kirst across the corridor, to which Dante pulled out his guns and fired at the Prince of Ice.

Sans slammed Kirst into the wall near the entrance, where a bunch of bones behind the prince were just about to emerge. The Prince of Ice fought against the telekinesis and dived straight for Dante, sending spears coming after the Devil Hunter's way. Dante used his sword Rebellion to cut through every individual spear, letting the ice fragments fall around him with no impact. The Devil Hunter slashed with rapid jabs, cutting through Kirst's chest as he tried avoiding the bones and vines quickly flying past him.

"Finally helping us, huh?" Sans asked Flowey.

"Shut up! I'm only doing this just so I could get rid of this guy! He's starting to get on my nerves!" Flowey replied, shaking his petals and unleashing a small cloud of pollen. The pollen grew a bed of golden flowers, those of which spat out a powerful gunfire of white pellets. Kirst was getting attacked left and right, trying to handle three powerful fighters at once while Cloud and Link sat on the sidelines, amazed by the abilities through which they never imagined before.

The Prince of Ice was trying to survive as best as he could, being forced to deal with Dante's powerful marksmanship, Flowey's vicious vines and pellets, and Sans's fast and extremely dangerous stacks of bones that inflicted poisonous damage on him. However, through the wish of conquest he made, Kirst the Triumphant pulled through.

"ENOUGH OF THIS!" Kirst snarled, sending a pair of spears to impale Dante and pin him down on the floor. Temporarily disabling the Devil Hunter, Kirst went after Sans and Flowey before he would finish his work on Link and Cloud Strife. The Prince of Ice slammed his feet onto the ground, creating an icy pillar that froze Flowey's vines again and left him open. The flower was kicked in the face by Kirst as more of his vines were cut down by those chilling blades, and now Sans was left alone to fight with this intruder.

"He needs our help!" Link exclaimed, not wanting to stand around any longer. "Sans! We're going to help you!" Sans's left eye flashed cyan and yellow, grabbing Link's heart and pushing him back into Cloud's spot.

"Don't worry about it," Sans reminded the Champion of Hyrule, dodging Kirst's slashes. "You two stay right here. It'll be over before you know it." The short skeleton knew of the rain of icy arrows coming his way, and he clasped over his chest. A white, upside-down heart flashed on his white t-shirt, and he pulled out a bone that he used as a baseball bat. He whacked the arrows left and right, some crashing through the windows and others hitting Kirst.

Sweat was dripping from Sans's skull while he continued dodging the Prince of Ice's powerful attacks, clued-up about the situation he was in. At any moment, he would get tired and let that malicious attacker kill him. He needed to keep fighting as he erected out pillars of bones that flew past Kirst. Eventually, Sans was left open for Kirst to slash him at the chest.

"Sans!" Dante cried out to the skeleton for fear he may have been brutally murdered, trying to pull the icy spears pinning him down. Cloud and Link stared in fright while Flowey gazed at the unfortunate outcome. Sans tumbled close to the ground, the white pupils in his eyes sockets trembling as he looked down at his chest, seeing a stain of red on his clothes.

"Aw man…" Sans sighed, glancing over to his right and seeing that Kirst the Triumphant had managed to strike a plastic ketchup bottle hidden underneath the skeleton's shirt, and it was knocked out from the impact.

"That was my favorite brand of ketchup," Sans continued, getting back onto his feet. Much to Kirst's unlucky scenario, the white pupils in Sans's sockets vanished once more, and a flickering iris of cyan and yellow flashed on his left. Sans threw up his left hand, spawning a small group of those floating draconic heads behind him. The heads opened fire on Kirst, shooting white lasers and forcing him to run away from their line of sight.

Pillars of large, rounded bones were erected right in front of the Prince of Ice, dancing around the floor, walls, and ceiling as his heart began to glow blue from Sans's powers and he was flung around the room. The other four fighters watched as Sans did most of the dirty work, throwing Kirst across the cavernous yellow halls while not even moving another step.

Cyan bones were lodged into the invader's back and chest, hurting like hell every time he got up and moved around. The gravity was shifting him close to the floor, then the ceiling, then the walls, and every single time he was hit by such powerful attacks.

This power is unlike any I have ever seen, Kirst thought while he tried to attack as long as he was still standing. Even with only half of his abilities, he's such a formidable force. I wonder if he earned those traits from his creator… Sans could read the expressions of his attacker and pretty much read his thoughts, his left eye flickering as he continued to attack despite the notion he would tire himself out.

Kirst's heart was grabbed by the cyan and yellow psychokinesis, slammed rapidly across the room while Link, Cloud, Dante, and Flowey watched in complete awe over the lazy skeleton's raw abilities that are not meant to be messed with. The Prince of Ice, his cocoa skin and cheekbone cuts now wounded and bruised with black and blue, was slammed onto the floor. As the servant of Eternia slowly got up, he could hear the sound of multiple draconic heads surrounding him and just about ready to fire from the snap of Sans's finger.

"Alright, pal. I've got a question for you," Sans interrogated, his white pupils looking with anticipation at the corrupted attacker with a grin that he is one that won't hold back his power. "I'm thinking of a number between one and one hundred. What is it?" Kirst's green and bloodshot eyes gazed in fear at the floating skulls that were just about to kill him where he stood, knowing there was no way out of this.

"Um… twenty-five?" Kirst nervously asked, trying to come up with a good answer.

"Wrong," Sans retorted, his eye sockets going completely dark as he snapped his boney fingers, signaling his blasters to fire upon Kirst the Triumphant. The white lasers had completely engulfed the Prince of Ice by the time Dante dislodged the spears pinning him down and Flowey shook off his wounds. The four fighters got behind Sans as they watched a silhouette of Kirst get burned alive by the lasers, screaming a demonic screech as Sans watched with blackened sockets of uncanniness.

By the time Sans knew that Kirst was dead, the draconic skulls stopped firing and faded into dust. All that was left on the floor of the final corridor was a pile of ashes that were laid out in the shape of a wild-haired woman with slanted eyes that depicted insanity. Dante, Flowey, Link, and Cloud could do nothing but simply stare like idiots as they had to take in the chaos they witnessed.

"Whelp, I'm starvin'," Sans told the four fighters he looked back on, the white pupils in his sockets returning as though that attack never happened. "Who's in the mood for some hot dogs? Or nice cream. I've heard the chocolate-dipped ones with the almonds are the best this time of year…" Cloud Strife and Link were too entranced by what just occurred right in front of their eyes, and they went over to the ash pile to analyze what remained of Kirst the Triumphant.

"Jesus Christ. Even that's a pretty dark way of going out like that," Dante pointed out, knowing what Sans did. "I love it."

"Thanks, pal," Sans noted. "To be fair, this guy was anything but human. Wonder what he was doing here to begin with…"

"He said something about taking the Air Topaz that Flowey was going to give to us," Link explained. "The flower said he somehow found it here and would let us take it so he could backstab us later."

"Is that so?" Sans asked, glancing at a nervous Flowey.

"Uh… mm… well, y'see… the thing is…" Flowey tried explaining, his flowery head sweating as he tried to come up with a good response.

"You don't have to say anything," Sans noted. "Just fork over the gemstone you're keeping from these two." Flowey sighed in annoyance as he bowed his head and the small vines containing the glowing-blue jewel emerged right in front of him.

"Anything else I can do to repay you guys?" Flowey asked in an irritated tone as Cloud Strife took the jewel from the small flower.

"Yeah. There are a few things you can do to repay," Cloud replied, sticking the Air Topaz in his pouch. Link soon recognized something at the corner of his eye, and it was at the center of the hallway.

"What's that?" Link asked, pointing at some kind of white vortex that just showed up out of nowhere in front of the pile of ashes.

"I think it must be that magic source Alphys was referring to," Sans explained. "Maybe we should go test it and see where it leads us."

"But… we gotta get back to Arcus," Cloud Strife reminded Sans. "We want to make sure everyone's okay and hope this portal network is fixed."

"Then be my guest," Sans told them, shrugging and pretending like nothing's on his mind. "This world is where I was born, and I've got nothing to live for. But if you wanna go through that rift without me, then be my guest. The surface doesn't really appeal to me here… and I guess I could say the same for this flower."

"...Hey, why don't you two come join us?" Dante asked, gently hitting Sans's shoulder bone. "We always love seeing new faces here, and I'm sure Papyrus wouldn't mind you leaving for a while as long as you send some cards to him." Sans looked back at the exit out of the corridor, and he looked forward to seeing Link and Cloud just up ahead near the rift.

"Eh, it's worth a shot," Sans answered, accepting the Devil Hunter's request. "I won't mind a vacation from this world for a while. As for this flower… he's coming with us. Don't want him killing anyone while I'm gone." Flowey growled as the short skeleton stroked his petals, snapping his teeth like a piranha just to make Sans back off.

"Fine… But let's not speak of this in every reset again," Flowey replied, letting himself get uprooted by Sans. The fibrous roots stuck out beneath the sentient flower as the skeleton held him like a baby goat. When Dante and Sans walked past Link and Cloud Strife with Flowey on their team, they disappeared into the white vortex. Link glanced at Cloud, knowing of what he wanted to say despite feeling nervous.

"Um, Cloud? During these past few hours we've been stuck in this world, I just kinda wanted to say I… enjoyed hanging out with you," Link told Cloud, trying to hide the small blush in his cheeks. Maybe when we're taking a break from our jobs in our respective worlds, we can do this again sometime. If you'd like…" The Champion of Hyrule looked away, waiting for a response from the ex-mercenary.

"Sure. Why not?" the 1st-class SOLDIER replied, his easygoing attitude staying relatively the same. "I mean, I'm fine with you hanging out with me. Might help us get to know each other a little better. And… I thank you for not being so foolhardy."

"And I guess you managed to use those skills like you previously did," Link replied, holding Cloud's hand as a sign of friendship. A small blush glowed on Cloud's cheeks, walking with the Champion of Hyrule through the white rift.

Chapter 103: Issues Arise

Summary:

While trying to figure out the whole conflict coming from the portal network issue, some of the Smashers living under the same roof have problems of their own.

Chapter Text

"And that's basically our side of the story," Dante finished, having just finished his take on the scenario he explained to the SuperChargers. "Once we entered through that portal, we ended up back here in the Legacy, met Min Min, Robin, and Shulk, and shortly after waiting near the transporter while exchanging our sides of the adventure… you guys. Cloud just gave me this little jewel for safekeeping, of course."

"I have a little question: if Sans's door didn't work earlier, how exactly did it work when he was taking you to Alphys's lab and even near Mt. Ebott?" Pit asked, scratching his head.

"Good question…" Dante replied, letting Mewtwo take the Air Topaz through telekinesis. "I might have to ask Sans about that. I'll see if he and the others are done listening to your skinny blue friend's story." The Devil Hunter got back onto his feet, walking with the ex-SuperChargers towards the skeleton that was still listening at the entrance to the Smash Fortress's throne room where the other fighters were.

"So anyways, Hat Kid and I were with the Skylanders as they all worked together with the Doom Raiders to defeat the Darkness, and the portal network in our universe was restored," Alchemo finished, hoping the Smashers had just listened to the whole thing instead of leaving like Dante. The fighters talked about this story among themselves, some even thanking him for elaborating on the current conflict.

"Thank you for filling us in on that information," Ike answered. "I guess that should clear things up for us."

"Not exactly…" Ryu mentioned as the room quieted down. "We don't know how severe those Rifts were on our portal network. We don't know if we can even go home at this point, and Sozo and Hakai have mysteriously vanished without letting us contact them through other means. Hey, skeleton! What's your opinion?" Sans tapped a finger on his chin, trying to think of a good answer. Flowey soon emerged from Sans's hoodie, having been carried along all this time.

"Looks like we're gonna need a serious brain dump on this one," Flowey mentioned, sticking out of the hood part of the skeleton's comfy clothing. "What do ya think, Sans?"

"You might be onto somethin', flower,'' Sans replied. "It might take a while for the both of us to figure out some kind of thoughtful and logical conclusion, but maybe it might be sped up a little faster. Are there any brains in this mansion? Show of hands." Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Mega Man, R.O.B., Olimar, Lucario, Palutena, Rosalina, Byleth, and the Mii Gunner all raised their hands.

"I'll help too," Mewtwo telepathized, with the Inkling walking up to him to give her aid. "And so will Clementine."

"So will I," Shulk reckoned. "Everyone needs to know what happened with the Hands. Robin, do you want to join? You were with me and Min Min." Without a single word uttering from his lips, the white-haired tactician left the throne room with the Homs and everyone else. A majority of the Smashers in general wanted to explore different parts of the Smash Fortress anyway, even if they were uncertain on what exactly happened. Dante approached Sans and the fighters that were picked to assist him, with that monster flower hiding in the skeleton's blue hoodie.

"Hey, Sans?" the Devil Hunter asked. "I was wondering… how come your door didn't work when you tried entering into that world you desire, yet it worked when you were taking me to different places?" The skeleton looked back at Dante, pondering about that question the half-demon was asking him about. He took a quick glance at the fighters that were paired up with him, with the six-petaled flower he took with them hiding in his blue hoodie.

"I have no idea, but if I had to guess… maybe transportation across a planet's surface and transportation to other worlds may be different," Sans answered as best as he could, not exactly giving a clear definition as his boney fingers brushed over his skull. "I dunno. Guess we're just gonna have to figure this one out. You can run off now. The rest of us are gonna figure out what exactly is happening…" The skeleton took his seat near one of the tables in the empty throne room, ready to discuss how exactly he and Sherry, the Inkling, Olimar, Byleth, R.O.B., Mega Man, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Rosalina, Palutena, Lucario, Mewtwo, and Shulk were going to figure this out.

Dante walked across the throne room, opening up the doors in front of him as he traveled across the stone pathway to other sections of the Smash Fortress. The sky had never been clearer, and the warm sunlight was around to prove it. The low tide was coming in, exposing clusters of white barnacles mixed with freshwater algae. Shadows from the islands floating by were cast over the Smash Fortress, and the Son of Sparda was interested in the ruins on each island.

They seem to tell different stories of which grand buildings used to stand erect, and he wondered just how they crumbled into decay. Was there something horrendous that happened to that advanced civilization, if there ever was one? What are those blue crystals even made out of? But he was asking himself too many questions by this point. The Devil Hunter walked to the end of the stone pathway, where he stopped in front of an ebony-black door with silver nails on its boards.

The door was slightly open, much to Dante's surprise. He had a high suspicion that maybe one of the fighters within this huge place must have entered through here, and it wouldn't necessarily hurt if he were to take a quick peek. The Devil Hunter slipped through the door, his eyes gazing upon the beauty of what he perceived as real.

It was like a church, with the evidence of aligned pews and stained-glass windows behind an altar to prove it. However, there were no signs of religion depicted anywhere, not even on the curved ceiling and the quartz pillars. It only seemed to consist of themes revolving around light and dark, along with abstract scenery to deliver these messages. Even the stained-glass windows depicted that theme.

Imprinted on the windows were two angels with blank faces, their backs spread against each other. One was golden, the other was violet, and their wings of black and white phased through each other and gave off the colors of gray. In the golden angel's hands, a spear of colorful feathers rested, identical to Galeem's wings. A hammer composed of tentacles like Dharkon's was held in the violet angel's tight grip. Above the two angels was a pair of symbols that supposedly stood for the sides of light and darkness. The symbol of light seemed to be a gleam with its rays stretching out in eight different directions, a pair of wings that looked like what the Seraph of Order bore. As for the symbol of darkness, a large eye with a slit pupil and three spiked tentacles on each side were present, symbolic of what the Seraph of Chaos looked like. And there, standing in front of the altar analyzing the scenery of this fortress's section, was Steve himself.

The blocky player examined the strange church portion of the Smash Fortress, his body remaining perfectly still as he looked up and around. To Steve, he had never seen anything like this, not even in his world. He was so used to blocks and pixels that anything from another world felt alien to him. As the player lowered his head to look back at the pews, he spotted Dante himself between the two rows.

"Nice to see you here," the Devil Hunter greeted, waving his hand at the blocky player. "I… don't recall formally meeting with you. I'm Dante, the legendary Devil Hunter and the Son of Sparda. What's your name?" Steve didn't say anything, simply staring at Dante with a curious eye. The blocky player walked down the steps at the empty altar, crouching as he snuck up to the Devil Hunter with caution.

"Just relax. I'm not here to attack you," Dante continued, laughing a bit as Steve stood up straight. "I'm just asking for your name. That's all." The player reached into his pockets and pulled out a note, scribbling what he meant to say on it. He gave the note to Dante, which read as followed:

"My name is Steve," the note read. "You must be new in this world too, aren't you?"

"Hm… Depends on what you mean by that," Dante replied. "But yeah. This world has got a strange kind of feeling you and I have never felt. It's kinda interesting having a chat with blockheads like you. I didn't really mean that as an offense. You… look completely different from the other fighters I've seen. If you technically even are a fighter…" Steve knew what Dante was talking about and shook his head, still standing completely straight due to how he was built out of cubes. Dante soon recognized that the Player was starting to grow some darker pixels that were supposed to be a beard, and even then it was hard to notice unless you squinted in close or had enhanced vision like the Devil Hunter.

"You've got something on your face there, buddy," Dante mentioned, pointing his finger to his own chin to give Steve a clue. "It's kinda like… a pixelated smile." The door at the end of the church room echoed throughout the vast place, and Min Min herself was walking on the pathway between the rows of pews while admiring all that exquisite interior decorating this empty and cavernous place.

The ramen bomber brushed her hand over the sides of the pews, just feeling the amount of details that went into such abstract carvings. She brushed the noodle bangs that were blocking her eyesight to the side so she could look up at the fascinating paintings on the ceiling. Each picture seemed to have some kind of meaning when analyzed with a critical eye, but it was hard to describe since the artistic aspect of these paintings overwhelmed the entire thing. All she could figure out was that a group of humans were reaching their hands out to the ground, extracting minerals and using nature to craft limbs. The ones behind those humans extended their hands to the sky, giving praise to unidentifiable beings above.

The beings in question were hard to describe, some in shapes she didn't seem to recognize. There was something about those creatures that rubbed her off the wrong way, and none of them were exactly alike, even though many had similar features. Their true forms in these paintings have been concealed from the censorship applied by the original artists, knowing whatever these all-knowing creatures are they would drive fear and madness into anyone who looked upon them.

But Min Min didn't care for that.

All she cared for was how beautiful the drawings on the church's ceiling looked. But just as she blinked, she began to see something truly horrid. It was gone in a flash, but the image alone just appeared in her head.

She only saw a glimpse of light about to burn her alive, her skin torn off by the intense heat and dissolved into black ashes as she screamed for help. Someone to save her. Anyone from another world before she saw nothing but the blinding white.

"Min Min?" Dante asked, snapping the ramen bomber out of her pseudo-daydreaming. "That's probably your name, right? Remember me? I went with the other fighters while we were searching for that 'chosen one' from your world. Guess you really were the one we were looking for, huh?" Min Min chuckled at that remark.

"...At least I'm glad the other guys from the ARMS League congratulated me on getting the part," Min Min answered. "I had no idea I was going to be one of you guys. And hey: who knows? Either you or that blocky guy might even be another one of these fighters." The Devil Hunter glanced back at Steve, laughing as he placed his hands on his hips.

"You really are something else, kid," Dante spoke with a smile on his face, pulling Steve close to his side. "But who knows? I might be one of those fighters you guys are looking for. Hell, even this literal blockhead might be a fighter too. It could be anyone."

"Yep," Min Min responded. "Which reminds me: I don't think I've told you my side of the story during this whole portal network issue thing, have I?"

"Can't say you have," Dante answered. "But it's fine. We wanna know your side of the story. Plus, I think Shulk and Robin mentioned they were… stuck here with you?" Min Min sighed deeply, clasping her hands together.

"Alright," Min Min began. "I don't know much about what happened throughout the duration of the incident, but I'll tell you what I know…"


Hours ago…

The quiet city sounds that could be heard in Civiltatula echoed throughout a starless night, with a waning moon partially concealed by the clouds floating overhead. Min Min was dressed up in her night wear without her noodle ARMS and mask, which was a pair of dark-blue shorts and a baggy t-shirt with a panda eating a bamboo stick imprinted on it. The place Min Min was living in was a small apartment with some empty ramen bowls placed near the stove, with the city lights glistening outside her window. The martial artist herself was sitting on her bed, attending a video chat on her laptop.

"So… do you know that whole thing of some warriors from other realms coming to visit us for that fighter they were looking for?" Min Min asked.

"Yeah! What about it?" Ribbon Girl asked, her video camera showing the popstar in another part of the world. In the webcam chatroom Min Min was using, Spring Man and Ninjara were also present.

"Well apparently, I'm the one they were looking for all this time," Min Min replied with excitement, hoping she didn't come off as too braggy. "I hope you guys aren't jealous. I don't want to feel like a bad person just because I'm some chosen one…"

"No no… It's great. It's great," Spring Man assured the ramen bomber. "Shame I wasn't the guy they were looking for. But what a timeline that would be, huh?"

"We still support Min-chan's place in the multiverse," Ninjara pointed out. "We wish you good luck on your future and will notify the others shortly after we disband."

"Does your family know about this, Min Min?" Ribbon Girl questioned.

"I talked with them about it before I left," Min Min added. "I didn't get a clear answer, but I think they were with me on this. Just like how they were when I first signed up for the ARMS League. Well… I'll be chatting with you tomorrow. This apartment's pretty empty, considering I'm planning to move my stuff over to this new mansion they have past the Ironwood Forest. You're free to drop in for a visit whenever you want, though!"

"We'll make sure of that!" Spring Man finished.

"I gotta sleep now," Min Min told her friends. "I'm logging off for the night. I'll see you guys soon!" Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Spring Man gave the ramen bomber her goodbyes as she closed her video chat browser and turned off her laptop, placing it on the small desk next to her and pulling the sheets over her shoulders. She tilted over to the side and was about to fall fast asleep. She then heard a knock at her door, which was locked at the time she was getting ready for bed.

"Who is it…?" Min Min sighed with a tad bit of exhaustion in her tone.

"It's Sherry, the Mii Gunner Ultimate," the voice replied outside. "I need to remind you to get enough sleep for tomorrow. Sozo and Hakai are finally planning to bring the dragonlings that were sent to another dimension back to Arcus."

"...You mean the same dimension Cirrus came from, according to what I heard?" Min Min asked. The silence alone was enough to confirm the ramen bomber's answer. "Alright. I'll get some rest. I'll meet with you guys tomorrow."

"At the city center," the Mii Gunner reminded. "8 AM, sharp. Don't be late. Every fighter living in this town at the moment needs to know." Min Min heard Sherry's footsteps fade away from inside her room, knowing well aware for certain that she'll have to wake up soon.


The ramen bomber dashed across the streets of Civiltatula, attempting to reach the city center of the town in the early morning. She knew she must have overslept by mistake, and so she ran as fast as she could to where the Mii Gunner advised the fighters to meet up with the Master Hand and Crazy Hand. Eventually, Min Min made her way to the center of the town, trying to catch her breath after running such a long distance from her apartment to her destination.

"You're late, I presume," Sherry told the ramen bomber. "We were waiting for a half-hour until you showed up."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," Min Min panted, resting her hands on her thighs as her breath fogged up the chilly morning air. "I… kinda stalled in my morning shower. No hard feelings, though?" Besides Min Min and the Mii Gunner being the only fighters here, there were also Shulk, Robin, Duck Hunt, R.O.B., Mr. Game & Watch, Wii Fit Trainer, the Swordfighter and Brawler Ultimates Reborn, the Ice Climbers, the Piranha Plant, and a small crowd of Mii Fighters and Subspace Army creatures, just to name a few.

Everyone that was currently in the city square quieted down as they saw sparks of golden and violet electricity fly to the middle of the group. More began to cluster up until eventually the figures of the Master Hand and Crazy Hand holding each other close like they were clasped together faded into view. The sparks disappeared, and the two Hands split from each other as they transformed into their true draconic forms, concluding their magnificent entrance. The fighters and those with them needed no reminding as they knelt and bowed to respect the authority of such majestic lords ruling after their deceased leaders.

"We're all glad you can make it here at this time," Sozo spoke out. "Do not be alarmed by the absence of some of your other teammates. Some are inside the fortress they claimed as the resting place for the Smashers past the Ironwood Forest, while the rest of the team is safe and secluded in their own worlds as we've heard from recent reports. We hope they will be visiting us soon. But now for the matters at hand. Cirrus had a word with me, my brother, the ex-Ancient Minister, and the Ultimates Reborn. They said they have found the right place where the dragons that will be returning to this world will make their first settlement."

"Ever since we all had to fight against two brothers that were abhorring one another - after we were forced to live five years under tyranny and another five under disharmony - my sibling and I have been waiting for the day to bring back the dragonlings that were sent off for their protection many ages ago," Hakai chimed in, trying his best to keep that chaotic impulse of his to himself by standing still and trying not to get too sporadic in the way he moved and talked. "We hope you all understand the sudden abrupt change. Should you get the chance to visit any one of them, please be careful around them. They may have grown wild and feral after thousands of years within their dimension; millions if you count Subspace. There may also be far more that have never even set foot in the realm their ancestors came from and may have adapted their own way of living. One can never know for sure… not even me."

"So things will still go on as normal for the most part," Sozo continued through explanation. "We'll be making some kind of… acquaintanceship with the new dragons. Hope the both of us cleared things up for you." The small crowd applauded after the speech, with some Miis and Subspace creatures remaining questionable but optimistic by this sudden decision. "Now return to your homes, everyone. R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, Ultimates Reborn, Piranha Plant, Shulk, Robin. Please welcome our latest recruit: Min Min from the ARMS universe. Min Min… you will be joining us on our trip to where we will summon the dragons back into Arcus: the Yoeka Skerries."

"Sounds perfectly reasonable," Gilbert answered with a quick reply. "Hey, Sherry. You've still got that transporter hooked up to your arm cannon? The very one that can take us anywhere across the planet?" The Mii Gunner recognized what the Swordfighter Ultimate Reborn was trying to tell her, and she picked up the question as quickly as possible.

"Yeah, I think I do," Sherry added. She pulled up her arm cannon and tapped the metallic shell of the weapon once, bringing up a holographic screen as the current fighters within the city center gathered close. "Sozo? The Yoeka Skerries, was it?" The dragon with the golden eyes nodded as a simple reply, and the holographic map the Mii Gunner created exposed the map that consisted of a collection of small, rocky islands. From what Mr. Game & Watch saw as he looked behind himself, R.O.B. had his head hung low in sorrow while the rest of the Mii Fighters and Subspace Army creatures left. The monochromatic entity moved close to the robot, beeping in every stiff movement he made as he tried to learn why was R.O.B. sad for some reason. Popo and Nana seemed to have noticed as well.

"Is something wrong, R.O.B.?" Nana asked. The robot didn't really say anything, and instead simply hung his head low. Even though the ex-Ancient Minister couldn't even say a word, let alone only talk through beeps, the Smashers near R.O.B. could understand that the kind of pain he was feeling might have something to do with his kind. Even after ten years (twenty if you count the period he was alongside the captive fighters), that trauma still hasn't left him.

Sieg comforted the robot with, "R.O.B., we understand if you aren't getting used to all these new species without being reminded of your own… and we wonder if there's anything we can do to help you recover from that incident." There was still this ounce of unforgiveness the ex-Ancient Minister had for Ganondorf. Even though the Demon King and the other villains on the team have reformed in some way, the death of an entire species isn't something R.O.B. can just forget so easily. The robot simply beeped in lament, his words unrecognizable to many of the Smashers.

"Hm… maybe there might have been some kind of blueprint you used to make more of your kind, but it's been lost for so long no one knows if it even exists anymore," the Mii Swordfighter guessed considering the brief history between the parents of the Ultimates Reborn and Ancients. "But believe me. I know what it's like… to lose someone close to your heart. And I know death isn't something you can recover from that easily. Sherry… Sieg… do you guys feel the same way, even after losing your parents?"

"We were in the room with you," the Mii Gunner pointed out, stopping her work on the transporter hooked up to her arm cannon. "If they were alive today, what do you think might be their reactions to us being friends with their enemies?" The Mii Swordfighter and Mii Brawler laughed at that silly question, even though the pain in their hearts that still lingered inside would never truly go away. Min Min decided to comfort the robot as best as she could after laughing from that comment, liking to imagine what that might have been like.

"Hey, don't feel down," Min Min advised, hugging the robot's chest as best as she could. "People find ways to cope with death. You can't stay sad forever. Whatever kind of freaky technology your species made, I'm sure one day we might find the instructions to build a machine that can bring your kind back. I mean… that's probably what I assume might be the issue." As Sherry resumed her work and got the transporter ready while Sozo and Hakai took off to the skies in their Hand forms, the ramen bomber and the white-haired tactician were the only fighters to recognize that Shulk's eyes flashed with a sign of a future vision.

"Shulk?" Robin asked, shaking the Homs back into reality. "Is something the matter?"

"...We can't go to the Yoeka Skerries," Shulk answered with a look of worry on his face.

"Huh? Why not?" Min Min questioned. Pointing to the sky in fright, Shulk focused all the attention on a mysterious, glowing rift that appeared out of nowhere. At first, it didn't seem like much of a problem, and even the two Lords of Arcus paid no attention to them… until more of the rifts began to appear across the sky at an alarming rate.

"Uh… Sherry?" Gilbert asked, looking up with an inner feeling of dread as though something bad was going to happen from those rifts. "Can you finish up, please?"

"Almost done…" the Mii Gunner answered, oblivious to a rift opening above her until it was too late for her to take any action. Dropping down from the sky, above her head, was a flaming rock accelerating at high velocity. Nana and Popo joined hands, using their free ones to unleash a small blizzard above the Gunner Ultimate Reborn and freezing the flaming rock. The Ice Climbers then took out their mallets and jumped over Sherry, whacking the iceball into snow before it even hit her. The Mii Gunner quickly retracted the holographic screen back into her arm cannon as she glanced around on the horror around her and her friends.

She exclaimed with an, "Hey! What's the big idea?" before larger rifts began to open up, dropping clutter from other worlds. Some were the sizes of small kitchen appliances while others were as tall as skyscrapers. Shulk cut his blade through some of the junk as it began to fall around Civiltatula while Min Min equipped her Megawatt ARM and shattered some of the heavier junk.

The Brawler Ultimate Reborn jumped into the air and kicked a sofa falling from the sky, which scattered across the road into a rain of splinters. The Master Hand and Crazy Hand were instantly aware of the horror taking place, and they knew for certain that this event was not from this world. For some unexplained logic and reasoning, there was a strange, benevolent force that just seemed to show up without warning.

The ex-Lords of Arcus fired lasers from their fingertips in their Hand forms, realizing that the destruction of all this rubble destroying a few buildings was going to kill hundreds, even thousands, of many Mii and Subspace civilians unless immediate action was to be taken.

"Gather up as many as you can within the city," the Master Hand commanded, flicking a piano onto a part of the road where there was no one in the line of fire. "Take them all to your fortress and stay there until my brother and I fix this mess. The summoning of the dragons back into Arcus will have to come later." The Smashers in the team nodded and split up, each one attempting to use their own methods of rescuing as many civilians as they can.

Min Min raced across the streets as more junk began to fall around the town, some of the larger furniture hitting the hovering cars and knocking them out of the single-file lines that were perpendicular across one another. The ramen bomber stretched out her ARMS to grab the passengers about to fall onto the concrete road several stories below them. While she ran through the icy streets, trying her best not to slip, some of the Shadow Bugs came to her aid and clustered up into cushions for the Miis to land on the street safely. The ramen bomber continued using her ARMS, stopping for a brief moment to jump high into the air and grab onto another futuristic car just below her.

"Hey, what gives?" the Mii driving the car asked in irritation as he rolled the window down and peeked out, surprised to find the ramen bomber kicking loads of furniture from other worlds away from the cars.

"Park your vehicles! Quickly!" Min Min ordered, activating her Dragon ARMS to burn the antique items that were about to crush the lane. Several Miis driving the cars began to quickly park their vehicles and evacuate from the zone that just became dangerous, and some of those same vehicles were hit by the rain of appliances and equipment, including the automobile the ramen bomber was standing on.

Min Min snatched the Mii out of the car beneath her, carrying him in her right ARM as she hopped across the falling cars and grabbed more Miis from their vehicles. When she jumped off the last one with every Mii she could grab, the Shadow Bugs came to her aid and formed into some kind of soft pillow for her and the Miis to land safely.

She placed her hand on one of the Mii Gunners that she nabbed, telling everyone, "Head to the Ironwood Forest. There's a fortress northwest of the woods. You should be safe there. I'll meet up with the other fighters!" The Miis knew what to do and ran off with the Shadow Bugs that cushioned their fall, all while trying to avoid the rubble of the buildings that weren't so lucky in this rain.

Min Min ran to another part of the city, shielding her head as broken glass and titanium shards rained around her. She eventually found Shulk and Robin attacking the furniture with the Mii Fighters while protecting the Miis that couldn't defend themselves. The Homs recognized the ramen bomber simply standing there until she kicked a table lamp away from herself.

"Get the others to the Smash Fortress, Min Min! We'll be meeting with you soon!" Shulk commanded, slashing through a velvet couch coming his way. The ramen bomber nodded and dashed past the Ultimates Reborn on her way to the Ironwood Forest, by which the three chieftains were accompanied by other Mii Fighters to lead the rest of the city's inhabitants to safety.

Min Min knew that Sherry, Sieg, and Gilbert had gotten this one in the bag, so she ran ahead towards the Ironwood Forest and volunteered to help Popo and Nana lead the evacuating Miis down the path to the Smash Fortress for safety. While more Rifts began to open up across the sky and even on the ground, the ramen bomber made sure all the Miis and Subspace Army troops they and the other fighters managed to rescue were inside the Smash Mansion safe and sound. Just about a few minutes later, the Mii Swordfighter, Gunner, and Brawler came inside with the other few residents that were living in Civiltatula, their faces covered in dirt, snow, and bruises. Shulk and Robin ran up to comfort the Ultimates Reborn while Min Min squeezed in and gently led the Subspace Army creatures and Mii citizens down the hallway with the fighters that were born in Arcus.

"Are you three alright?" Robin asked Sherry, Gilbert, and Sieg, wiping the dust off the Mii Brawler's shoulder. "Did you get injured? Is everyone in the city okay?" The voices of the Miis filled the room as most of them were filled with worry over the perpetual conviction that others weren't so lucky to survive the casualty.

"...I think the entire city has been cleared," Gilbert coughed, resting his hands on his knees while catching his breath. "Good news is: those rifts that just showed up out of nowhere… suddenly stopped pouring that rain of interdimensional furniture. Bad news is: we can't seem to find Sozo and Hakai. They just… told us to get everyone here and they just simply vanished." An outbreak of confused emotion began to silently spread across the Miis and the creatures of Subspace, with R.O.B. the most distressed due to his previous connections with the Hands as the Ancient Minister.

"For whatever reason, I just can't get my arm cannon to work…" the Gunner Ultimate Reborn mentioned, attempting to activate that holographic screen from her arm cannon. However, all that came out was nothing but glitchy static that was impossible to recognize. "If I had to guess, the Lords of Arcus must have gone off to the Yoeka Skerries, but those rifts must have interfered with our technology that we can't even warp anywhere."

"Can we still reach out to our friends?" Nana asked with anxiety, sweat dripping down her face as she hugged Popo.

"...I don't know, but… it doesn't look like we can at the moment," Sherry responded, deactivating her arm cannon. "Who knows how effective that disaster was? And we were unprepared for that. My cannon was detecting abnormal amounts of magic spiking up all throughout the planet, so it may be best if we just wait here and stay low… at least until these rifts stop opening up and raining junk. Let's just hope there weren't any that opened up in this place."

Shulk then asked, "Well… is there a way to figure out why these rifts are opening up? Or how we can find a way to combat them?"

"We have no idea, Shulk," Sherry added. "Hopefully we can figure something out. Until then, it's probably best that we remain careful and wait until our friends get back to Arcus…"


Present...

"... That's basically the most I can remember of what happened," Min Min finished with the story she told Steve and Dante, scratching the noodle hair underneath her bowl-like hat. "For the remainder of the whole day, we had to wait around until many of the fighters could use the transporter aboard the Legacy to get back here, and even then… what they saw wasn't pretty." The Devil Hunter placed a hand under his chin, thinking about the story the ramen bomber told him.

Dante questioned Min Min with, "You said your dragon buddies were over at the Yoeka Skerries, right? So why don't we use Sans's door to get there?"

"That… sounds like an interesting idea," Min Min replied, "especially since we know the door Sans uses hasn't been affected by this transportation issue… as far as we know."

"Whaddya say, girl? Do you think we can ask that skeleton later once he's done researching with the other Smashers?" Dante asked, holding his arms behind his head.

"Well, at least once we get the full idea of the long-term effects," Min Min finished. The ramen bomber ran down the aisle towards the only door to the outside of the Smash Fortress, waving goodbye at the Devil Hunter.

"Alright, take care. Steve and I will meet with you again inside another part of this castle… eventually," Dante added, glancing over to the blocky player. "Alright, buddy. I'll be heading out and taking a good look at the place and check out that chick they call Bayonetta. I've heard she's got a sweet tooth for men like me. Catch ya later, Steve." Dante also ran down the aisle too, leaving Steve all alone within the church part of the fortress.

The blocky player continued to look around the walls supporting the large dome high above him, admiring such beautiful textures and paintings that he never really saw in his own world. Everything seemed to be well-rounded and non-blocky, and even then the angles decorating some of the parts of the church were never really cubic in terms of geometry. It seemed as though the memories it had of that terrifying nutcracker were gone from his mind, only remembering that his game was undergoing maintenance after someone spawned in too many Ender Dragons and Withers… or so he believed.

"You just can't stop runnin' from yourself, can ya?" a raspy voice called out to Steve, almost frightening him in a way. Steve jumped from the sound, quickly moving his head back and forth to wonder who spoke to him like that. It may have just been Dante pulling a prank on him, but he knew even Dante would never sound like that or even say those words… no matter how much of a prankster he was.

"Cuz even if you keep forgettin'... I'll always keep comin' back to haunt ya," the voice called out to him again. Steve turned toward the sound, finally spotting the one who was speaking to him: that grotesque replica of the friend Banjo and Kazooie once knew, with his cubic eyes so horrifyingly realistic and the gaps between the yellowed teeth in his ugly mouth uneven and crooked. "Oh right… that Pokémon with those psychic powers. He's drained your memory quite a lot, huh? Cuz he's afraid you'll become me again? Am I hearing that right?" That creepy replica of Steve slowly approached the real blocky player, who was currently unable to move from his spot like he was in a lucid dream he couldn't control.

"You are quite the nutcase, aren't ya?" the grotesque Steve laughed, his mouth stretching almost across his short body in such an uncanny level. "Willing to forget something so beautiful, so… fascinating, that you would rather die instead of diving into what people would normally consider revolting and petrifying just because you wouldn't want to risk seeing the possibilities of a new perspective underneath." Steve simply turned his head away from that disgusting figment of his imagination talking to him, refusing to believe anything he vomited out of his mouth. Even that nauseating clone of Steve seemed to notice.

"You know what interests me, bud? That we're just two sides of the same coin. How every step we take is in perfect synchronization with each other, like conjoined twins in a way. Only difference between you and I? The Lord of Games created the both of us, but it was that… special spark of determination that brought only you back to give you that second chance, this time without me and a new identity. Just to be friends with that bear and bird again. What makes THEM so special, huh? Am I no good for YOU?" Steve simply had no comment, still keeping silent as he was unable to change the expression on his face aside from blinking. Even then, the blinking looked like two frames of pixel changes by just coloring over the eyes.

"Oh sure. Ignore me, like you always do," the uncanny version of Steve growled in irritation. "I was only brought back after you encountered Banjo and Kazooie again. And yet you didn't know jack shit about 'em. But they're gonna get worried about you at some point. You're starting to blink and grow that smile-like beard - a perfect replica of my past self. Eventually you're gonna snap and bring me back. You're gonna ditch 'em and satisfy yourself cuz you're not gonna have much of a choice. But why even listen to me? I'm just in your head, after all. Besides… it'll be fine for us to wake up soon." Steve blinked again, no longer seeing that horrifying replica of himself talking to him.

The blocky player began to wonder if what he just experienced was all a dream… or if he was starting to wonder about the truth of where he came from.


Over in a room with two rows of benches with desks descending down stone slabs, Byleth was helping Sans graph some calculations on a large chalkboard stuck to the wall. It was mostly just Byleth doing all the work while Sans just lounged around and simply told the professor what to write from the books collected by the fighters that volunteered to help. They were mainly just books on quantum physics and how magic in alternate dimensions works.

"Perhaps we might need to find something to prevent this evidence from slipping into a margin of error," Mewtwo telepathized, viewing the scientifics and the calculations written and drawn on the chalkboard with a critical eye as he simply floated there in midair while the Smashers were doing the rest of the work. "If we want our sources to remain accurate on the subject matter, we need to use sources to prove our theories correct."

"Sounds interesting… if you've probably got the items necessary," Mega Man answered as he put down the book he was currently reading through. Luckily for them, Mewtwo came prepared with just the items for the task: his Rift Engine with the Dark Element and that white pellet he carried along.

"Hm… yep. Maybe these might help in our research," Sans replied, carefully studying the two small objects by just a long stare. "Thanks, Mewtwo. Anyways, if we were to divide that by the square root of…" Rosalina was also pitching in with helping sort the books out when she heard light taps at the window next to the door outside of the classroom. She soon recognized it to be one of her red Lumas, dancing around and leaving waves of light to communicate with its mother that read as follows:

Mama! Mama! Cone quick! The other Lumas and I have found a toy chest in our bedroom!

Rosalina raised her hand and asked, "Excuse me, but… I'd thought I'd remind you that I need to leave because my Lumas discovered something rather interesting. Is it fine if I go?"

"Oh, no worries," Palutena answered in a ladylike manner. "Just do what you need to do without any rush. We've got plenty of time." Rosalina curtsied and made her leave, following the red Luma that was beckoning her.

Rosalina made her way to the top of the second smaller dome, her elegant dress brushing against each step on the stairway. The scent of old, polished dark oak filled yet another large room, which was made to resemble some kind of library with the roof of an observatory dome. There were books just like in the other, much larger library, but noticeably disorganized. A brick fireplace next to the wall was decorated with watercolor drawings in portrait frames, and there were beanbags with plushies of mushrooms and stars gathered near a leather rocking chair on a blue rug that had galaxies and planets bedecked upon it. Several Lumas were hanging out in the room and having fun in such a wondrous place. Some were scribbling on the paper laid on the tables with coloring pencils, while others were looking through the toy chest next to the fireplace.

The Lumas experienced great joy when their mother floated into the library, making her giggle as they hugged her and showered her in affection. The red Luma that brought her here showed her towards the toy chest, by which many of the Lumas present were curious about the playthings sitting there. It was rather clear that the chest seemed to have been here long after it was abandoned, considering there was plenty of dust both outside and in.

"Interesting… the Comet Observatory didn't have these many toys," Rosalina pondered, taking out a stuffed bear with a missing button eye and a sock monkey with noodly arms. "Alright, alright. You can play with them, but remember to put them back in the chest when you're done. I wouldn't have to clean this up all by myself, now don't I?" The Lumas in the room all reached into the toy chest, taking out the playthings they wanted to entertain themselves with.

Rosalina watched as the Lumas danced around and played with their dolls, stuffed animals, and whatever else was in the chest. When she glanced into the open casket, she realized that her own children missed one more toy found in the chest. She took it out and analyzed the doll for herself.

The doll was entirely made out of apple wood, big enough for its body to fit in her hand. The joints were segmented, with its boots a deep mahogany. Another thing she noticed was the cape, which appeared to be the color of the ocean on the outside and a glistening gold on the inside. The cape was wrapped around its neck by a yellow collar, and it was spiked from the top and the bottom. Its hat was also that exact same blue, with a golden pattern like the holding end of a key imprinted on the front. Underneath the right side of the hat were two orange curls sticking out like hair, along with a slight pointed nose, rounded ears, and eyes of red.

The eyes seemed to be poking out underneath the hat, with eyelids that closed when Rosalina tilted the doll back and opening again when she tilted it straight up again. There was also a line underneath each eye that extended beneath, and the doll's mouth was that like a nutcracker's. When Rosalina took a good look at this peculiar doll, she began to feel signs of nostalgia just by analyzing it. She probably knew it may have once belonged to someone else, but there was something she could neither describe nor use the right words for it. When she turned the doll around and lifted up its cape, she came to the conclusion the doll had its name imprinted on the wooden back:

"Geno?" Rosalina read in a curious tone. She heard some footsteps from below the room where she and the Lumas were supposedly staying, and Rosalina probably knew that whoever came here might want to accept the Geno doll as a gift considering that she may have a love for toys but what she truly desires is the joy from the generosity of giving. And who knows? Maybe whoever came here into this very section in the Smash Fortress may find some use in this wooden puppet.

"Rosie?" Cloud Strife's voice could be heard as he walked up the stairs and set foot in the observatory look-alike, admiring how playful all the Lumas were acting around him. Rosalina approached the 1st-class SOLDIER, hiding Geno behind her back.

"There you are," Cloud abbreviated in a completely normal tone. "I was beginning to wonder where you were. The guys researching what's going on with our teleportation devices have told me you were here. Any idea what's with all these toys?"

"Oh, nothing much," Rosalina chuckled, adjusting the light blonde bang covering her right eye. "It's just that the Lumas found a chest full of these playthings and wanted to bring me here. As they got the toys they desired, I took note of a strange… doll I found at the bottom of the chest. I didn't know what it was doing here, but I probably thought it might be a strange gift I'd like to give you. His name is Geno, and he's all yours." The blue maiden presented Cloud the wooden puppet, much to his unexpected surprise.

Cloud then asked, "So… why are you giving this to me?"

"No real reason," Rosalina easily dismissed. "Just thought I'd give you something. For being a good friend."

"Thank you," Cloud replied, taking the doll from Rosalina. "Geno is this little guy's name. Is that right?"

"I think so. His name must have been carved into his back."

"Ah, I see. Well, I'll get back to you soon. I'll be checking in on Diddy Kong and Falco next." Cloud took a good look at the doll he was holding, knowing well that he probably wouldn't play with it… but at least his lamp desk would look good with Geno sitting on it. Before Cloud could leave the observatory look-alike, Rosalina stopped him by asking him a simple question.

"Hey, Cloud: about your current relationship with Link, are you and him…?"

"What?" Cloud was quick to discourage with a slight blush in his cheeks, shaking his head while maintaining eye contact with the woman of divine origin. "No no no. Me and Link? We're just good friends. There really isn't anything romantic going on between us. At least, from my perspective. Probably…"

"Understandable. Well, you're welcome for the toy, by the way." The 1st-class SOLDIER nodded and left the room with his new gift.


Hat Kid paced around the floor of the large library with the magical books, with a lot on her mind and so much to progress from just a few days. At least she was glad to be alone, and yet she didn't really feel all that happy. She just wanted to get back to her home planet, but at the same time she wanted to make friends. Hat Kid could at least try making friends with some of the fighters here… maybe with someone more comfortable her age.

There are plenty of kids living here, Hat Kid thought to herself. Maybe I can look around and find someone to be friends with. The alien girl left the library, climbing up the stairs near the main entrance to the Smash Fortress. She made her way to the rooms at the top, wandering through the small hallway until hearing the sounds of the younger fighters chatting in Kirby's room.

Hat Kid slowly opened the door, peeking into the room to see what was going on, and she was surprised to find Kirby, Young Link, Toon Link, Villager, Ness, and Lucas interacting with each other in the pink puffball's place. Kirby was sleeping on the floor without a care in the world, Young Link and Toon Link were playing against Villager and Ness in a video game, and Lucas was watching the boys play as he waited for his turn considering their game only had room for four players.

While Hat Kid took a closer look at the boys bonding with each other, Lucas glanced over at the door and saw the alien girl that was watching them. Hat Kid instantly recognized that the boy from Tazmily Village spotted her, and she let the fear of rejection grip her as she backed away from the door. The alien girl sat next to the door, pulling her hat over her head in embarrassment.

"Um… hello there," Lucas cautiously called out to her, alerting the alien girl by surprise. "I just saw you near the door. Do you wanna come on in?" The Smashers playing their game paused their session when they heard Lucas chatting with someone outside Kirby's room.

"No… not really," Hat Kid replied, feeling a bit nervous in her introduction to some strangers close to her age. "I just… I just want to talk with someone, but I'm afraid I might leave a bad impression."

"...You can come in, if you want," Lucas added. "You're free to talk with us." The alien girl poked her head in, her fingers nervously twitching with worry. She had never seen such kids before, and she didn't exactly know how to interact with anyone. Even when she did, it didn't exactly feel natural to her. Hat Kid slowly walked into the room, bearing a weak smile on her face and proceeding closer to the television with caution.

"That's an interesting game you're playing," Hat Kid asked the four young fighters that were currently playing. "What's it called?"

"Brawl Street 2: Battle Royale," Ness answered. "Young Link wants to take a break so you can-"

"Ah! Careful where you step!" Young Link warned the alien girl as she was walking. Without even knowing it, Hat Kid accidentally tripped over a sleeping Kirby and landed on her face. Kirby was suddenly woken up over this, and the Smashers in the room were surprised by this. Hat Kid pulled her hat over her head, her cheeks and ears red from her foolish action.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't know where I was walking! I..." Hat Kid exclaimed as she sat on the carpeted pink floor and bowed her head, worried that she may have gotten the young fighters mad for waking Kirby up as she feared.

"No… it's alright," Lucas told her as he reached over to lift up her hat while Kirby was hugged by Villager in comfort to ease the pain he got from Hat Kid tripping over him.

"Huh? You're… not mad?" Hat Kid cautiously asked, peeking out from beneath her hat.

"Why would we be?" Toon Link replied. "We kinda suspected it was an accident, and we know you didn't mean it. Why are you so scared about it?" Hat Kid swallowed the saliva that built up in her mouth, trying to combat her introverted self and just talk with these boys.

"I just… I'm just worried that you might not wanna be my friend," Hat Kid nervously answered, "considering I went through so much just to lose a friend I made. There were a lot of things that happened to me, and it's… become quite difficult to socialize with anyone. I just want to be friends with Mustache Girl. I want to be friends with her again, but… I've messed up back then and now I'm worried that I messed up again here."

"Hm… perhaps we can be your friends in the meantime?" Lucas asked. "If you really want to get your friend back, you can learn a thing or two from us. We're kids, just like you. Maybe we might bond better and have fun while doing it. And hey: take it from a boy who's been regarded as an introverted coward his whole life. Maybe you can learn something from our personal experiences. Or maybe you can just play with us. It's the first step in making friends, if friendship is so important to you."

"Yeah, I… guess I can start with that," Hat Kid replied, petting Kirby on the head. The alien girl sat down in front of the TV between Villager and Toon Link while Lucas took the fourth controller. At first, Hat Kid seemed to be less encouraged by these kids offering to be her friends in the meantime, but after a while of playing a few rounds with the boys she was starting to feel a bit more comfortable, especially when this was a new game and they were going easy on her to let her get used to playing it.

After about a few minutes of playtime, they heard some knocking at the door. The young fighters paused their game and looked behind themselves to see Bowser Jr. alerting them about something important. Even Kirby was eager to listen to what the young Prince of the Koopas had to say.

"Hey, I just came by to tell you something important," Bowser Jr. alerted. "That skeleton friend of yours had managed to crack the code for our little transportation issue. We're all heading down to the big classroom to hear what he has to say, so… whatever games you're playing you better finish up. Meet me and the Koopalings downstairs if you don't know where to go." Bowser Jr. left the young fighters alone after having alerted them of what to expect.

"Oh... I forgot I had to go back to my ship," Hat Kid replied, standing up as the rest of her newly-acquainted buddies did the same. "My parents might be worried sick about me, but probably not since I know they're gonna be stiff as always…"

"Stiff?" Ness questioned, curious about how the planet Hat Kid came from works. "Depending on how things go, maybe you can invite us over to your world."

"Maybe… if my mom and dad are fine with it," Hat Kid responded. "Now come on! We don't want to make your other friends impatient." The alien girl ran out of the room, waiting for Young Link, Ness, Villager, Toon Link, Kirby, and Lucas to follow behind.


The fighters living within the Smash Fortress all took their seats in the classroom, quieting down with their banter as Hat Kid came in with the young Smashers and the Koopalings. Cloud Strife was sitting between Ridley and Captain Falcon, hiding that Geno doll in his hands so he wouldn't be embarrassed for playing with some child's plaything. The Mii Gunner, Mewtwo, Clementine, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Mega Man, R.O.B., Olimar, Lucario, Palutena, Rosalina, Byleth, Shulk, and Robin had their seats closest to the large chalkboard in front of the whole house.

"Aight, can I have your attention, please?" Sans asked, attempting to quiet down the fighters wondering what exactly was going on. "Thank you. Now: before we begin, it's important to take a look at the equations on this board. So you can thank Byleth and Palutena for trying to come up with some logical conclusion to your little issue. Now I guess we can begin…" The short skeleton stretched a metal rod and pointed it at a quick sketch of that ten-headed Hydra.

"Y'all know what this is, right?" Sans continued, looking back at the fighters listening to the talk. "I'm sure some of you are already familiar, but for the rest of ya, allow me to explain. If our final theoretical conclusion is accurate, this was that beast that messed up your little transportation system. How come, I hear some of you asking underneath your breaths. Well… allow me to clarify." Sans used his blue-and-yellow telekinesis to lift that metal rod of his over to a spot on the chalkboard no one could normally reach unless they could fly.

"From what we could gather from the guys that became what were called Skylanders in the last world they visited, that Hydra was completely submerged in liquid magic, by which we'll get back to later," Sans continued. "What I want to focus on is that this Hydra managed to swallow those little Rift Engines they carried along, which served as alternative sources for warping them to other islands. Am I getting that right?"

"Yeah, you got that right," Fox McCloud replied, knowing that Sans didn't need correcting but it was good to help him out anyway.

"Okay. Anyways, as I was saying, these Rift Engines have the ability to take you to whatever destination you think of… as far as I know. Now when that Hydra swallowed ten of these little guys, it was warping itself across different dimensions while it was still soaked wet in all that magic. Told you we were gonna come back to that. My theory might be that the droplets of that magic that Hydra carried through the Rifts it opened fell across different worlds, including my own. And said magic must have severely altered the transportation magic of these worlds at random.

"For my door, if I had to theorize, not many Rifts opened up… so I guess that could mean I couldn't access other worlds but I could get where I needed to go in my town. But for you guys… yeah, it doesn't look good."

"Wait, what?" Peach asked, followed by concerned indignation among the Smashers. Soon, Flowey poked out from beneath Sans's hoodie.

"Hey, can you guys keep it quiet so Smiley Trashbag can finish!?" Flowey shouted until everyone kept their mouths shut.

"Thanks, Flowey," Sans thanked, continuing with his theory. "Anyways, those Rift Engines know which SuperChargers are their owners upon assigning a certain element to them, but here's the thing: they also know of the worlds you visited and have transferred the magic that soaked that Hydra through the Rifts it opened up, and somehow that magic must have screwed with your omniversal teleporter REALLY good. It basically means that you can't just visit other worlds through your transporter anymore, and if anyone from another universe wants to visit they would have to access a special kind of portal in their world to visit yours through said transporter."

This only caused more concern among everyone living in the Smash Fortress, and Mario asked, "Well… if-a the transporter is now only a one-way exit, how are any of-a us gonna get-a back to our worlds if we want-a to leave? This is like-a the whole issue during the ten years after the First-a Subspace War."

"If I may, I'd like to fill in on something," Shulk pointed out. "While we were waiting for the Rifts to calm down, I realized that the portals to the world Isabelle entered and the world Hat Kid came from are still up, meaning we have ways of getting back to our worlds. I say this because I've seen lots of inactive portals across the garden islands, but none of them turned on when I stepped on them. Perhaps they may have something to do with those books in the library."

"Hm… maybe," Sans replied. "But you might wanna be careful when entering those portals. If our calculations are correct, anyone who enters said portals would end up somewhere random and would have to find the portal that takes you to your transporter elsewhere. Bear in mind that these aren't the full equations. I'm just telling you what we've figured out."

Once Sans finished clearing things up, the Super Smash Brothers talked about this situation among themselves. Many found it to be something they may have to get used to for the time being, while others were hoping this wasn't permanent.

"How long would these new changes to our transportation system last?" Corrin asked, raising his hand up.

The short skeleton sighed as he simply answered with, "Have no idea, but hopefully not for very long. I think you can still use those pellets of yours as communicators. That's all we could figure out at the moment. Sorry, guys. Thank you for taking the time to listen to what we had to work with, though." Hat Kid sighed with relief, having been waiting at the door to leave the second she heard the portal to take her back to her ship was still up and functioning. Just as many of the fighters were getting up from their seats, the alien girl ran towards the entrance to the garden.

"Hat Kid, wait up!" Toon Link called out to her. Hat Kid turned around and saw the two young Links, Ness, Lucas, and Villager run up to her, followed by Clementine, Sonic, Fox McCloud, Ridley, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pit, Mewtwo, and Banjo & Kazooie. Mario, Min Min, and Duck Hunt came up to the alien girl too after noticing she was about to leave.

"We just wanted to say thank you for staying by our side, kid," Sonic told Hat Kid, giving her a thumbs up. "You were alright, in my opinion."

"I can't believe I have to say this, but… it's been a blast having you around," Bowser growled, crossing his arms across his torso and looking away as small puffs of smoke sizzled out of his nostrils.

"Thanks for hanging out on our wild adventure," Fox added, followed by the Duck Hunt dog and duck barking and quacking in approval. "If you want to head back to your ship, just go through the portal that doesn't have 'DOOM' marked on it. That one's reserved for Isabelle… for some reason."

"Wait a minute! Wait a minute! Hold everything!" Alchemo's voice could be heard just near the throne room, and the skinny blue alien was hopping as fast as possible until he skidded right in front of Hat Kid, making her giggle a bit in shock when Alchemo slipped and fell on his rear.

"I just wanted to bid you g-goodbye before you leave… an-and all," Alchemo told the alien child, mumbling in his words as he adjusted his big glasses. "I'll stay around here for as long as I can and get better at my gift of magic. Just like I promised Master Eon! Just… thought I'd remind you I'll be doing that..." The skinny blue alien squatted low, placing a hand on Hat Kid's shoulder.

"Take care, okay?" Alchemo finished, offering nothing but a bittersweet farewell. "Say hi to the Skylanders for me, and hope we meet again soon." Hat Kid offered a hug to the blue alien, and Mario and Kirby joined in the group hug.

As soon as Hat Kid parted away from them, Lucas added, "Oh, one more thing before you go." The kid from Tazmily Village tossed her one of the many white pellets the Smashers had.

"So you'll always have us to talk with," Young Link replied. "That way your social skills would be better once you talk to your old friend again, as well as make some new ones." Hat Kid smiled with a tear in her eye as a result.

"Thanks, guys," Hat Kid answered. "Thank you all for dragging me to such insane worlds. I'll be sure to visit you again when I get the chance! Bye~!" The alien girl ran down to the garden as all the fighters wishing her goodbye waved out to her. Hat Kid went on over to the correct portal and jumped on the floating platform, looking back at the Smashers with a blushing smile on her face. The alien child disappeared in a flash of light, gone from the Smash Fortress.

Sans was just walking by and noticed everything going down over at the garden, but he pretended to act like he had no idea what just happened. He asked, "Hey, um… what did I miss?"

"Oh, nothin' much," Banjo responded. "We just had to bid goodbye to Hat Kid."

"Wow," Sans chuckled. "She just couldn't wait to go home, couldn't she?"

"Nope," Ridley growled gleefully. "She was nothing but a nuisance, and I'm glad to be rid of her."

"Ridley!" Min Min spoke with concern.

"I'm only kidding," Ridley laughed as a sign of false alarm. "But going off-topic on a more serious note, we should be getting ready to pack up and head to the Yoeka Skerries soon. Sozo and Hakai must have been seriously hurt by those Rifts."

"Yeah, you should," Sans replied, glancing over to the setting sun just outside the window. "But it's getting rather late here. Perhaps we can rest for now and plan tomorrow, and not to mention there's more of those fighters you're looking for out there. They may even be quite unexpected…"

"Understandable-a," Mario answered. "And besides, there's these thoughts of an ancient horror that's gonna destroy all worlds, and it's best we recruit these chosen warriors and learn more about who we were meant to be…"


When night came around, and everything was quiet and at rest within the Smash Fortress, Sans was wandering the empty halls. The skeleton left no sound in the footsteps he left behind, filled with caution as he made sure nobody was around, not even the likes of Meta Knight or Dante. He checked in on Flowey, who was asleep in a flower pot next to the stairs to the rooms upstairs, before making his leave to the library.

When Sans got to a clear location within the library, Sans snapped his fingers, and that bedroom door of his appeared behind himself. The skeleton slowly approached the door, his boney hands ready to twist that golden knob.

Let's see if this thing works again, now that the whole issue with the Rifts has been cleared, Sans thought to himself, focusing on what location he desired most. Through his own cognition, he could make that place he wanted to visit clear in his head. With a few deep breaths, the skeleton opened his bedroom door. Much to his relief, he saw nothing but darkness there… and nothing more.

Nothing but pitch black instead of the pigsty that was his room. Sans entered into the darkness, closing the door behind himself and basking in the realm void of light. For a moment, the skeleton could feel the sweet release as he tried to focus his vision on what he wanted to see. There, within the dark, he saw what he needed to see.

A field of lavender, glass-like blades of grass stretched as far as the eye could see, waving in the soft wind that blew from all directions and glittered from the jewels stuck to the roof of a limited space. Almost like a cave, in a way. Trees with coral-blue trunks and leaves of ember dotted the landscape, giving a scarlet light to whatever darkness shrouded this place. Sans looked below himself, now feeling a cobblestone path below his salmon-pink slippers.

With his hands in his hoodie's pockets, Sans walked ahead, taking in the peaceful atmosphere of the world he found himself in. Soon enough, the cobblestone path Sans was walking on came to a halt, and the skeleton was standing in front of some kind of raggedy-old tent filled with loose patches and plenty of unstitched holes. Sans walked into this quaint little shop, and the only light inside this place came from a lantern hung on the wall behind the shopkeeper.

"Hee hee… it's been a while. Welcome back, old friend," the shopkeeper spoke in an elderly, welcoming voice, their face hidden in the shadow the lantern cast over them.

"Hi, Seam," Sans greeted. "Sorry. I was too busy being lazy."

"As always," the shopkeeper chuckled until they stopped just as they were about to cough. "Classic Sans. Tell me: what brings you here this time? Must it be the odds and ends I'm willing to part with for a few Dark Dollars?"

"Actually… it's something more than that," Sans replied. "Do you still have that old diary?"

"Why, of course," Seam was eager to reply. "Let me just… get it from under this counter real quick…" After taking out some kind of brown, leather book, the face of the shopkeeper could be seen clearly. Seam took on the appearance of a stuffed feline cat with blueish-gray fur, dressed in brown and fuzzy clothing swathed all over their body. They looked exactly like the toy cat in Jevil brief memory flash, but the rips that disfigured their appearance were replaced with stitches and black patches. Their right eye button was still intact, albeit decorated with a scar below said button eye, but their left eye seems to be empty and almost closed.

Sans took the book Seam gave to him, which was marked with the ten symbols of the elements found in Skylands, though whether that's the case or not it didn't matter. The skeleton opened up the book, flipping through the first couple of pages until he got to what he was looking for. There, written in strange symbols like the ones that W. D. Gaster uses, was a passage dedicated to the dissection of a Rift Engine… at least according to the sketches drawn in it.

"The Rift Engines some of the Smashers used… they look exactly as they are described in this diary," Sans told the old shopkeeper. "'But why would they do that?' you might ask."

"I would be torturing myself with that question too…" Seam replied. "Pray tell what happened, at least."

"Well, there was this kid that came back with them, and he told the entire story. He said the issue with my door's portal network was the result of some calculated planning from… let's just say a strange prisoner with an odd manner we're both familiar with."

"A… strange prisoner?" Seam questioned, filled with worry and dread in the hopes that it wasn't real. "...No, you can't be possibly talking about HIM… are you?"

"I'm afraid I am. At least, that's what I managed to figure out from those kid's words."

"Then if what you say is true… then that wouldn't make any sense. After all the trouble we both went through to lock him up, why and how would he suddenly be released? Darkners become inanimate in the light. Normally, he is incapable of causing so much chaos."

"That's the problem," Sans continued. "He wasn't created like me and was instead made into a pureblood Darkner. He was made to have the same characteristics as the lot of ya. And the only way this curse of transforming into inanimate objects in light could be permanently removed is if…"

"Some kind of summoning spell using pure, concentrated darkness to pull him out of his prison did exactly that," Seam finished. "And I fear the worst yet to come should he find someone that agrees with his maddening ideologies."

"Same here, bud. Do you plan on helping us should that time come?"

"It wouldn't matter, Sans… the worst has yet to pass, and I know you oh so much. I know you'd be willing to toast with me… to the end of all worlds."

Chapter 104: The Ink in the Chain - Part 1

Summary:

After Luigi has a foreshadowing nightmare, he confronts his own brother on whether or not the dream he had was a prophecy. Just as Mario was about to give his brother some honest advice, an unexpected surprise shows up through the Legacy's transporter. Meanwhile, Steve has problems of his own to worry about...

Chapter Text

"Mario?"

Luigi found himself wandering around in the darkness, the sound of gnarled floorboards creaking underneath him wherever he stepped. The green plumber felt isolated and alone in a place he couldn't recognize, only seeing the posters on the leaking walls. The posters depicted cartoon characters he had never seen before, each one covered in stains from the dripping pipes above him. The colors of the walls and floor were a dirty grayish-yellow, with many of the boards unevenly placed and even showing cracks that leaked with an oozing black.

"Mario..." Luigi called out to his older twin brother again, attempting to reunite with him and escape this accursed place. A water-like substance above him could be heard rumbling in the pipes, coming in from all directions. The green plumber could feel his heart quivering in fright, his breathing increasing as he heard some kind of laughter behind himself.

"...Mario?" The green plumber could feel his white gloves charge up with some electrical sparks, but not quite enough as he was unable to figure out if it was his brother… or someone far more threatening. The strange laughter echoed again, this time in front of Luigi before he could even turn around. Within a moment's glance, Luigi was able to discover a yellow, crescent-like eye staring back at him within the darkness of the place he was trapped in.

"Oh me, oh my," the voice spoke back at him in a lighthearted, gleeful tone, with a smiling mouth colored red. "Why are you wandering these empty halls? You're behaving like a child lost in a carnival, looking for his mother and father."

"Who are you? You're not-a Mario… are you?" Luigi asked, trembling as he slowly backed away from this mysterious stranger. The stranger in the shadows laughed his heart out, making Luigi seem like an idiot for not recognizing this stranger wasn't the brother he looked up to so much. In fact, this strange entity was someone Luigi didn't recognize at all.

"Doesn't my voice ring any bells, at least?" the stranger called out to him, disappearing into the shadows of the twisted halls as his voice echoed on. "...Shame. It seems like you don't recognize me at all, but I remember an unfortunate soul just like you. How he cried and flailed around in terror as we went forward to our ultimate show." The bellowing of a fearsome creature stretched across the walls, snapping the pipes buried deep within.

Luigi's eyes dilated as he trembled underneath the massive size of the beast he gazed upon, which towered above him at an unnatural level. The green plumber didn't seem to recognize the black substance flooding above his feet, rising the more he stared at the monster. A face that looked exactly like Luigi's stared down upon him, bearing eyes that were the same shape as the stranger's as gurgling bellows deep in its long neck could be heard.

"He was quite the fighter, I must say," the stranger's voice continued. Luigi soon couldn't find himself breathing as he was completely submerged in the black substance flooding the halls. The green plumber could feel his lungs about to burst from the deep pressure squeezing around his body, and yet he didn't need to gasp for fresh air. He could see clearly within the inky depths, seeing mere flashes of a world he couldn't recognize.

He recognized himself within that world, as well as Mario, Peach, and Bowser. But they were somehow… completely different. Almost as if they weren't the same people he remembered. There were also new faces he couldn't seem to recall, such as what appeared to be a cloaked vampire wearing a monocle and holding a mysterious book by his side. There was also the appearance of a sweet, childlike girl with green skin and pigtails transforming into a horrifying creature that spat out rubies and crawled around like a spider among one of many strange beings found in those flashes.

"You still don't recall the world I'm showing you?" the stranger continued. "You don't recall all these faces before you? Well, I guess that would lead me to one logical conclusion: you must have been dragged here from an alternate dimension, like a moth attracted to a flame. I was just looking for some sweet revenge."

Revenge?

Faces soon instantly surrounded the green plumber, giving him a major scare as the windows to the world he saw vanished within a trace. The faces he saw were copies of the same theatrical mask: the colors of black and white split in half so that the right side was white and the left side was black. The eyes on each mask also had a difference in terms of color, with an eye of black on the right and an eye of yellow on the left. One of the masks in front of Luigi emerged from the wall of faces, with a shadowy mist trailing behind it.

The mist slowly began to take the form of a harlequin-like jester, forming a cap with five ends spread out like the rays of a star. The two ends between the center and the far sides were shorter in length compared to the other three, colored like white sand glowing with the golden rays of sunlight and giving off a pale-yellow hue. As for the other three ends, they were much longer and appeared in a bluish-periwinkle near the mask. A majority of their actual color was actually a vibrant hybrid of mostly purple and a hint of magenta, all while decorated with white bokeh that didn't touch the mask. There were golden, diamond-shaped jingle bells on each end of the purple-striped portions of the cap as well.

A cloak surrounded the human-like body of the stranger below the head, all while the being in question was still taking form. The cape was striped like his cap, with the colors of periwinkle fading into purple (minus the white bokeh) and light-yellow spread evenly around him with pointed ends like a poncho… in a way. The periwinkle-and-purple collar was also pointed, with some kind of golden diamond as an accessory near the being's neck. Underneath the poncho were legs swathed in black, with puffy, short black pants and shoes that were slightly curved upward at the toes.

"This may be all a horrible dream, but according to the Dark Prognosticus it's the foreshadowing of my triumphant return!" the fully-formed stranger proclaimed. "Best be prepared for the end of days, for soon the curtains will rise… and I will make my way to the center stage once again. Ciao~!" The faces instantly vanished, leaving Luigi floating in the dark abyss of the inky water. Where the being once appeared now remains a beating heart, with streams of a mercury-like substance flowing from it and ripples on its surface.

Luigi's breathing increased as the faint light emitting from that heart faded into the darkness, disappearing from his view. Before anything else happened, Luigi could feel his feet touch the floor that he couldn't see. Just when this lucid illusion was about to be over, a massive beast different from the one Luigi saw earlier pounced straight for him without warning. A gargled roar emitted from the beast's long fangs, which were stained a pale yellow in color. Just as when the green plumber was above to be devoured by the creature before him, he sat upright in his bed and woke up with a scream.

Streaks of aquamarine lightning spread out from Luigi's fingertips as he clinged onto the bedsheets on his sides, spreading across the room he was sleeping in. Unknowingly, he bursted all the lightbulbs that were in the lights on the ceiling and the table lamp next to him, none of which were turned on for the night. The green plumber woke up in a cold sweat, his heart throbbing hard and fast in his chest and his breathing attempting to regulate itself by slowing down. Luigi was dressed in blue shorts and a green tank top, with his iconic green cap resting on the lamp table and covered in the glass shards that were rained above it due to Luigi's nightmare.

Considering the alarm clock in his room was also broken from how he woke up, Luigi glanced at the window outside. The cloudy sunlight was just barely shining over the frozen water in the garden, leaving him completely dazed by what he just witnessed. What was that jester in his dreams? It was someone he didn't recognize at all and at the same time… did. Like some kind of alternate dimension that was completely different from the Mushroom Kingdom he and his friends live in.

He didn't really care to spend the rest of the day thinking about that dream in bed as he quickly got up and dressed in his usual green attire, leaving his room to look for Mario and ask him his opinion on what he just saw. Pikachu hopped by the green plumber as he walked out of his room, carrying a strawberry in his mouth. Yoshi also dashed in front of Luigi, who was following pursuit of the Pokémon with the strawberry.

"Hey, Yoshi?" Luigi asked. "Have you seen-a Mario anywhere? I need-a to ask-a him something." Yoshi placed his hand underneath his large nose before eventually shrugging and running off in Pikachu's direction. Luigi wandered around the huge fortress for a while, hoping to find his brother somewhere around here.


Inside the Smash Fortress, Steve watched the large snowflakes fall from the sky through the large window that was in the middle of the stairway at the end of the main entrance's hall, amazed by just how many there were even if it wasn't an incoming storm. PAC-MAN and Incineroar were also next to Steve, with far more amazement in their eyes considering Steve couldn't even show any emotion.

The smile-like beard was now fully visible on the blocky player's face, considering he didn't bother to treat it for the past few days ever since he woke up in the Smash Fortress. Because of the fact that he could also seem to blink too, Banjo and Kazooie have been very protective of him like a worried mother and father, sometimes forbidding him to go outside without them watching him. He didn't even know why they were suddenly acting like that in the first place. But with a couple fighters that couldn't speak like him just gazing outside, he felt at peace without the bear and the Breegull bothering him in moments where he didn't feel like he needed to be bothered.

In fact, Steve began to wonder if he even needed to be babysat by his two closest friends. He's been well known to be wildly adventurous and creative long before he met Banjo and Kazooie, so why was he not allowed to go outside and experience the wonders of an alien world in winter?

"Steve!" Banjo called out to the blocky player at the bottom of the stairs. Speak of the devil…

"Banjo and I are gonna head out to the Legacy to meet up with Mario, Bowser, and Peach," Kazooie reminded Steve. "Considering it's a pretty wintry morning, especially when Hat Kid just left a week ago, it might be interesting in exploring what Arcus has to offer in terms of its supposed four seasons." The blocky player, hungry for adventure, left Incineroar and PAC-MAN and dashed down the stairs, running past Banjo and Kazooie straight at the front door.

"Wait! If you wanna go outside, at least let us accompany you," Banjo advised, stopping Steve through just words alone. "It's still a new world. You'll never know what kind of creatures would show up and ambush ya." The blocky player shook his head, walking back to the bear and Breegull. Rather worried about the animal duo, Steve pulled out another one of his notes and wrote in it, passing it to Banjo for him and Kazooie to read.

"Why are you two acting like I'm gonna get into trouble?" the note read, interpreting Steve's thoughts as usual. "I can take care of myself. Just please stop worrying." Banjo and Kazooie knew Steve shouldn't be knowing what happened to him prior to the accident, but due to these new changes affecting Steve's face there was this underlying fear he was going to transform into that creepy, perverted monster the previous Steve they once knew was.

"It's nothing," Kazooie answered. "It's just that… there are things we just don't want to talk about right now. Mewtwo suggested we should look after you for as long as necessary."

"What Kazooie said," Banjo added. "Besides, she and I are also heading out as well to check in on Mario, Peach, and Bowser over at the Legacy. So you can tag along, as long as you don't get lost from our line of sight." Steve lowered his head and shook it, and it didn't take long for Luigi to show up.

The green plumber was just about to call out to the bear and Breegull and their blocky friend, but the Duck Hunt dog startled him by surprise by jumping onto his lap for a pat. Luigi laughed as he stroked behind those long, flappy ears while the dog gave him slobbery kisses, all while the duck on his back was flapping his wings and trying not to fall over.

"Okay, okay," Luigi giggled, trying to get the dog to stop licking his face in such a ticklish manner and giving him a brief moment of distraction from the dream he had a quarter-hour ago. "Good-a morning to you too, Duck Hunt." The green plumber got himself away from the duck-dog duo to walk over to the blocky player and his bear and bird friends, having just noticed that they were about to head outside the Smash Fortress.

"Banjo? Kazooie?" Luigi asked, having little qualms of talking to his brother about the nightmare he had in the hopes he might get some comfort. "You two have-a any idea where-a Mario might-a be? I had a nightmare last night, and… I want to talk to Mario about it." The bear and the Breegull began to feel a bit worried about the green plumber due to the sweat running down from his forehead, by which Luigi was quick to notice and wiped it off with his lower arm.

"What was your dream about… exactly?" Kazooie questioned, wondering if Luigi had ever acted like this before.

"I was… in some kind of strange-a place," Luigi sighed, swallowing the twitching lump in his throat. "The likes of which I had never seen before. There was-a ink leaking from the walls, completely submerging me in it. Then there was this shadow… that transformed into a jester. And he looked-a completely different from the one I encountered months ago with Byleth and some of-a your friends. Marx… was-a it? Yeah, the jester in my-a dream didn't look like-a Marx at all."

"Okay, okay," Banjo told him, gently patting the green plumber's shoulders. "Just… what happened next?"

"He said I reminded him of another warrior just like-a me, saying I came-a from another dimension," Luigi continued. "He mentioned his… triumphant return, as predicted by some kind of 'Dark Prognosticus'. And before I woke up, I was attacked by a black beast with a wide, sharp-toothed grin."

"A wide, sharp-toothed grin, huh?" Kazooie asked by the time the green plumber finished describing his nightmare. "...Sorry. I don't think we know what you're talking about."

"I understand," Luigi took into consideration. "Perhaps my-a brother can get it a bit better. If there's anyone that I can look up to, it's-a him."

"Oh, speaking of which. We're just about to head out to the Legacy and check up on ol' Mario and the crew," Banjo spoke up. "Steve wants to go outside and explore, so it might be best if we take him with us."

"I see… you're both still being protective of Steve, aren't ya?" Luigi responded. "I can tell you're trying to be good foster parents towards him, but… when do you suppose enough is enough? He doesn't look too happy."

"Eh, we're sure he's fine," Banjo answered, gripping the handle of one of the fortress's front doors with his paw. "Now come on. This snowfall doesn't look like it'll calm down anytime soon."

"Easy for-a you to say," Luigi replied, he and Steve shivering a bit as the chilly wind blew through by the time the bear opened the door. "You've got-a fur and-a feathers." By the time Banjo and Kazooie stepped outside, Steve already sprinted past them, ready to explore the world around him.

"Steve, wait up!" Kazooie called out to Steve as she flipped Banjo onto her back through his backpack and dashed behind the blocky player, with Luigi warming his hands with green flames and following in pursuit.


Inside the warm, futuristic aesthetic that was the Legacy, Mario watched as one of the Miis of the Gunner class was taking careful analysis of the control panel that was next to the transporter. With the red plumber where Princess Peach and Bowser, who volunteered to go with him and check up on the machine considering they can no longer seem to go through it in order to get back to their worlds. It was already quite difficult considering the books in the fortress's library were so many and unmarked that it would be hard to go through them all.

"Hm…" the Mii pondered with curiosity, placing a thumb underneath her chin before she activated the holographic screens on her arm cannon to check the statistics inside the control panel. "Control panel's practically untouched. Transporter's in peak perfect condition. We even rigged this thing to make sure it works both ways before we applied that device Byleth brought with you guys."

"But how was that Hydra able to utilize all that magic?" Peach asked. "Bowser, you were in that realm with Alchemo, Hat Kid, Donkey Kong, Mewtwo, and the others. Do you have any idea how this happened?"

"If I had to take a guess, that Hydra must've been born in that Liquification Chamber and lived in it for its whole life, so it must have had some practice with the magic it's swallowed," Bowser pointed out. "But normally a creature like that would attack to saturate itself… and it certainly wasn't hungry for us Skylanders. I can tell what any beast craves for, and it definitely was those Rift Engines we carried along. But why those things? My guess is someone must have told that Hydra to use those Rift Engines to warp itself across dimensions. And it all circles back to that one jester that screwed things up for us: Jevil."

"Jevil? How would you know?" Peach continued with the question, having the dreadful feeling that she wasn't getting the most logical answer.

"The moment we met him, he was completely insane. A real nutcase who should probably be locked up for his nihilistic beliefs. According to Alchemo, the Sky Eater that's been disconnecting worlds from each other was all that clown's idea. He's hard to predict, but we know he's got some kind of agenda… like he knows what's going to happen to us in the future." Mario looked over his shoulder, curious to learn more about that Darkner who appeared in Skylands.

"I swear, there's something more sinister in the works here," Mario pondered, finding himself in agreement with his Koopa rival. "It must have been staged. Someone is-a pulling the strings, and I'm afraid to figure out who it could be…" The Mii Gunner closed the compartment of the control panel, unable to figure out how the magic used to power it was affected.

"I've got no clue," the Mii Gunner mentioned, scratching her head. "If that skeleton was right, then… looks like you guys might have no choice than to use those books if you wanna get back to your worlds again."

"Thank you for checking on that machine," Peach told the Mii Gunner that was making her departure.

"Don't mention it," the Mii Gunner thanked shortly before leaving, unknowingly bumping into Steve as she made her way out. The blocky player came into the Legacy by himself, eager to see the interior of the massive gunship he first arrived in. Considering he was almost unconscious by the time he came to Arcus, Steve was bewildered by how spacious and alien it was.

"Why hello there" Mario greeted, curious to see what the blocky player was up to all by himself. "What are you-a doing here alone? Shouldn't Banjo and Kazooie be-a taking care of-a you?"

"Steve, there you are!" Kazooie squawked while she ran down the hallway to catch up with the Player. Banjo turned himself over, allowing the Breegull to sit in his backpack once more. Luigi arrived shortly after, hugging himself for warmth as the snow from outside melted on his cap and clothes.

"Why didn't you slow down for us? You were supposed to stay in our line of sight!" Banjo asked with deep concern. "Oh! Hi, Mario! Hi, Bowser!"

"Don't 'hello' me," Bowser told the bear and bird. "Didn't Mewtwo tell you to keep watch over your friend?"

"We know… we know," Kazooie cooed. "But lately, Steve has been acting more rebellious and we can't understand why. Plus, he's grown that smiley-beard and is starting to blink. We're completely worried about him."

"Oh my… have you at least set some ground rules? Parenting can be very hard and stressful. Perhaps we can help you two with your situation," Peach asked.

"Nah, we're good," Banjo answered. "We know Steve's always gonna be our friend, no matter what. Surely he might be able to understand what we're doing is helping him heal. You understand the horror we had to go through to get him out of Minecraft during the event of that Wither Storm, right?"

"Yeah, we understand what you're trying to fix, and if it's for Steve's well-being then it's fine," Bowser added, placing a scaly paw on Banjo's shoulder. "But from my experience, raising someone as your own kid ain't no easy task. I've got one son and seven minions, all of them living in the same room with me. It's hard now having to raise so many as a single parent. You two should be lucky you're together. You've got double the firepower needed in order to look after such a rebellious warrior."

"Yeah, but here's the thing: Steve is known for having more of an adventurous side," Kazooie pointed out. "The Lord of Games is responsible for creating characters but never really implementing personalities into them. He says that 'a higher authority' takes care of those things, so maybe that 'higher authority' could have given Steve the quirks to be a reckless explorer. But that doesn't give Steve the right to act like this. And we're the only friends he's ever really interacted with… and he might feel uncomfortable if you guys tried helping him out…"

While all that was going on, Luigi cautiously approached his brother to talk to him about the nightmare he witnessed. Considering Luigi tended to be the more cowardly of the two, it would come to no surprise that he would be easily frightened. Even after having to traverse haunted mansions and hotels, it seemed as though his bravery did not improve one bit… and he knew no matter what he would always be Player #2. In his brother's shadow.

With a few quick taps on the red plumber's shoulder to catch his attention, Luigi asked, "Mario? Can I-a have a word-a with you?"

"Why sure," Mario spoke in response, cheerful as ever. "What-a seems to be on your mind?"

"So… I had-a this nightmare about some kind of uncanny place," Luigi began, trying to remember the dream to the best of his ability. "It was dark and cold, and… there were these pipes with ink flowing through them behind the walls. And then afterwards, a shadow appeared and took on the form of a… jester with a two-tone mask and purple clothes."

"Oh my…" Mario replied in shock, slowly starting to recognize what his twin brother saw might very well be real to him. "What was that shadow's name?"

"He didn't say," Luigi continued. "All he-a said to me was that I reminded him of someone he once-a knew, but I don't even know who he is. He said I was dragged from another dimension, and that he was-a looking for some revenge. Not to mention that the nightmare I had was just a foreshadowing from something called a Dark Prognosticus, marking that shadow's triumphant return… whatever that-a means. And before I woke up, I was… devoured by a beast with a body as black as the ink I was submerged in and smiling yellow teeth as sharp as knives. Mario, please. I'm-a scared. What if that-a dream was real and some kind of psychopathic creature were to rise without us-a knowing about it?"

"Luigi, Luigi, calm-a down," Mario objected, pulling his brother in close for a hug while giving him the confidence he needed to invigorate him. "It was just a horrible nightmare. There's no way these kinds of dreams can actually come true. That would be ridiculous, wouldn't it? You've faced through much worse, remember? Why would-a this time be any different?"

"Mario, I-"

"That's not-a to say you can't do a little dreaming yourself if you're not happy with the life you have, as long as you aren't too selfish about those dreams. Besides… Can you imagine a world where nightmares come to life and people we've never seen before in those same nightmares can even cheat death itself? Now that… would be a beautiful and positively silly thought."

With a feeling of uneasiness instead of the comfort he'd thought he'd get, pushing himself out of the hug Luigi replied with, "You're not really-a helping, Mario." The red plumber noticed the distraught face his brother had, and he tried thinking of a good excuse to make Luigi feel a little better.

"Don't think too much about it. I mean the thought itself is beautiful and positively silly in the sense that nothing like that actually exists, so there's no real reason to worry." Luigi breathed a small and momentary sigh of relief solely from the reason that what his brother said about a nightmare like that coming true may very well be true.

"You're-a right," Luigi responded, letting Mario rest a hand on his shoulder. "It's all in my-a head. Dreams like-a that aren't real, but… it was still frightening and I'd rather be more cautious about the message it tried to tell me."

"Luigi, Luigi, Luigi… you and your crazy conspiracies," Mario sighed, patting Luigi's shoulder. "Now come on. We best get back to the Smash Fortress and organize a group to leave off for an expedition to the Yoeka Skerries. We've been planning this for quite a while, so just… try not to worry too much."

When the fighters were just about to make their leave, Steve was jumping in place, punching the air to alert his friends. The transporter was beginning to glow, and the blocky player was the only one to notice. The Breegull suddenly recognized the commotion and pecked Banjo's head to get him to turn around.

"What is it, Steve?" Banjo asked, with Steve's action also alerting the other four fighters with them. The Super Smash Brothers gathered near the transporter to witness what was about to happen next. Should the machine glow like that, it could only mean one thing: someone must have found the portal that warps them straight into Arcus. But who could their guests be…?

As the light from the transporter seemed to have dimmed, Mario and his friends realized it was not just one person that used the transporter, but two. And those two new strangers seemed to be short in appearance as well. Their skin was light gray like the porcelain commonly found in chinaware, and they wore black, long-sleeve shirts, white gloves, and brown boots. However, one of the mysterious newcomers seemed to have red shorts like Mickey Mouse's overalls without the golden buttons, and his head was literally a wide cup with a strange, milky-white liquid inside… with a red bendy straw for an additional feature. The other one was donned with blue shorts and had a head resembling more of that of a mug with a straightened straw and a larger nose.

"Wow… what is this place?" the anthropomorphic cup with the red shorts asked, bewildered by the new realm he and his companion found themselves in. "Nothing looks painted. How curious..."

"This is why you don't enter strange, white portals, Cuphead," the red-wearing cup's companion added, referring to the one that went with him as Cuphead. "You'll never know where you might end up. Not to mention we don't have enough time to collect all those contracts. We could have ended up back at the Devil's Casino without any-"

"Mugman, wait wait wait!" Cuphead shushed, quickly slapping his hand over his companion's mouth after suddenly realizing they weren't alone in the room. "Do you see what I see over there?" Mugman looked in Cuphead's direction, his eyes widening upon seeing seven strangers staring at them with a completely different look on their faces.

"Now that you mention it, I kinda do," Mugman spoke with an underlying curiosity, pushing Cuphead's hand away from his mouth. "They seem to be staring back at us all funny and stuff…"

"No, no… I mean, just look at 'em! I've never seen anything quite like these guys before!" Cuphead added, holding Mugman's head straight in the hopes that his companion would slowly start to recognize what the anthropomorphic cup was talking about. "No outlines, no flat colors, lots of tints and shades… they're not toons, are they?"

"Toons?" Peach asked. From the perspectives of the Super Smash Brothers, they saw Cuphead and Mugman far more differently. For one, the cups seemed to appear two-dimensional like Mr. Game & Watch, complete with the pie-shaped pupils that look like PAC-MAN's eyes. However, they were far more animated than stiff like the monochromatic fighter is. Not to mention their entire bodies can be seen from any perspective with the illusion of a two-dimensional plane and they would have the same volume as anyone from the third dimension would. They seemed to have been inspired by those old rubber hose cartoons from the 1930's, when studios that were founded by legendary artists such as Walt Disney and the Fleischer Brothers were practicing that style of animation, but it seemed like Cuphead and Mugman had adapted a new animation style all on their own for quite a while.

"You.. You guys can talk?" Cuphead asked upon hearing the princess speak, letting go of Mugman's head.

"Of course we can talk, dimwit," Bowser growled. "Just who the hell do you think you are?"

"Well, I'm Cuphead," the anthropomorphic cup with the red shorts introduced, taking a short bow so as not to spill the liquid from his head. "This is my brother Mugman."

"Excuse him. We really shouldn't be here," Mugman added with a bit of nervousness in his voice, guiding Cuphead back through one of the platforms on the transporter. "We'll just… go back the way we came."

"I'm-a sorry to say this, but you can't-a," Mario replied. "That transporter you two came from… doesn't work-a both ways. Trust us. We've tried."

"Ya mean we can't go back!?" Cuphead asked in a disappointed tone, jumping off the transporter and marching straight up to the red plumber while Mugman followed behind. "Tell that to Sweeney! You better have a good excuse to cover this little trick of yours up, bub!"

"I swear, I'm-a telling the truth," Mario was quick to reply before Cuphead lost his cool. "The only way you can return to the world you came from is… well, it's-a bit hard to explain, but bear with us."

"We can explain things to you while we take you to our place and look for what you and your brother need to get you home, um… Cuphead," Peach requested as the voice of reasoning.

"And why should we listen to you guys?" Cuphead asked, still remaining rather suspicious about the strangers surrounding the two cups.

"Because you decided to wander through that portal in the first place," Mugman sighed, placing his hand on his blue nose. "Technically, we're stuck here thanks to you."

"Sorry, Mugsy," Cuphead apologized, letting himself cool down before the liquid in his head boiled over. "Guess I forgot to think before I act… again."

"As usual," Mugman replied, his arms crossed over his chest as he gave his brother a solemn glance. "Not to mention this kind of troublemaking from you is exactly what got us in this mess in the first place. Didn't Elder Kettle also say something about not going off into whatever portals you see?"

"Okay, okay… Just tell us what happened back in your world when we head home to the Smash Fortress," Kazooie squawked. "Doesn't look like you have much time left to get what needs to be done with whatever it is you're doing."

"Besides, you can-a trust us," Luigi added with honesty in his voice. "We're friendly towards anyone that visits our realm… or at-a least try to be. If you want to return to where you came from, you can come with-a us. I'm sure a lot of our friends would be very interested in meeting-a you considering they've never seen… cartoons quite like you two."

"Really? You've never seen cartoons before?" Cuphead asked with a thumb underneath his chin.

"Oh, we know all sorts of cartoons here," Peach advised, walking out of the transporter room. "It's just that you and Mugman are… well, I can't find the right words to describe it. Come on, everybody." After Cuphead and Mugman left with Bowser, Mario, and Luigi, Banjo and Kazooie were just about to head out.

"Hey, Steve! We're going back to the Smash Fortress," the bear called out to the blocky player. "Steve…?" The animal duo started to recognize that the Player didn't seem to notice they were even in the room with him, and he was just standing there as though he was mesmerized by the soft lights of the transporter. Time seemed to have slowed down around Steve, and even Banjo and Kazooie were frozen for whatever reason. Considering Steve cannot even move, he knew this could only mean one thing.

"Hello again, pal," that grotesque version of Steve greeted, appearing next to a frozen bear and bird. "How long have you forgotten about me? A few days? Maybe a week, tops? Yeah… it's been quite a while. I told ya before I ain't gonna be leaving ya alone eventually, so get used to it." The grotesque abomination waddled his way over to the blocky player, who was unable to move his body out of fear from his horrifying counterpart.

"Treatin' me like a peeping tom, ain't ya? But I'm just here to give you some helpful tips. That bear and bird… they sure love telling you who's holdin' the reigns of this friendship. But I've been here long before you, and you'll bet your sweet dippy I'll be here after. I'll be here after you ditch the ones keeping you from all the joy you could be experiencing right about now. It's more important than them, isn't it?" Steve did not move or stir, allowing the phantasmagoric creature that was somehow related to him creep up closer.

"You're still not listening, are you? Those two cups that came here to this world… they'll be leaving off to their realm to take care of unfinished business. Chances are whatever they've got going on, they'll definitely bring your friends along too. You're welcome to join them on their little adventure, if you want. The choice is up to you: either ditch Banjo and Kazooie for a taste of freedom and creativity… or stay locked up in the cage they built around you." The blocky player's pixelated eyes blinked upon hearing Banjo's voice overpower the grotesque abomination staring over his shoulder. The bear was trying to gain Steve's attention for a few seconds now, not wanting to sound like a broken record.

"Steve? We'll be leavin' right now. Come on," Banjo told Steve, by which the blocky player turned his head in response. He ran to the bear and the Breegull, staying by their side as they left the transporter room to meet with Mario, his friends, and the strange toons that escaped into their dimension. As the fighters left, Steve cannot help but wonder if his two best friends are really keeping him back from the experiences worth living.


Treading through the thick blanket of snow that had settled down in the Ironwood Forest, Cuphead and Mugman followed behind the fighters that took them in for their peculiarities and interests in wanting to learn more about the situation that the porcelain brothers were trapped in. Banjo and Kazooie with their friend Steve followed behind in pursuit, being a little late to the party due to the blocky player's lucid nightmarish daydreaming.

"Mamma mia… forgot-a to bring a scarf or even a jacket," Mario stammered, his teeth chattering from the bitter cold and his hands rubbing close together to maintain the small flames emerging from his white gloves.

"You kidding!? This weather's so c-c-c-cold that I think my brain's literally gonna freeze!" Cuphead exclaimed while the snow began to fall heavily around them on their way back to the Smash Fortress.

"So… anything you two like to tell us about what's going on in your world?" Bowser asked, the cold not really bothering him all that much thanks to his durability and his fiery breath churning in his lungs to keep himself warm.

"Oh yeah," Mugman replied, both he and Cuphead hopping into the footprints left behind by the Smashers so as not to sink into the deep snow themselves. "Alright… so my brother and I live on the Inkwell Isles, where toons like us populate them left and right. We live with Elder Kettle, who warned us not to go to the Devil's Casino. Unfortunately, you can blame Cuphead for dragging me with him to that godforsaken place despite the elder's warnings and getting us both into trouble."

"You like b-b-b-blaming me for bad luck, dontcha?" Cuphead interrupted.

"Well, it's k-k-k-kinda your fault," Mugman answered shortly before continuing. "So we enter the casino and play a few rounds of craps. Earned a lot of loot through our winning streak. Things were going well at first until the Devil himself, who owned the casino, offered to raise the stakes. If we won on the next roll all the loot in the casino was ours, but our souls were his should we lose. I tried to object against the dangerous offer, but Cuphead over here decided to risk everything for all that cold, hard cash… and got snake eyes. Thankfully, the Devil spared us after we begged him for mercy, but we pay servitude in eternal damnation to him if we don't get the contracts of his previous debtors by tomorrow midnight."

"Tomorrow midnight? In your world?" Peach asked. "Well, if that's the case we better take you two back to the Inkwell Isles so you can get your debts to the Devil done right away!"

"I'm not sure if we're gonna be collecting those contracts anytime soon," Cuphead mentioned, holding his brother's hand as they shielded their eyes from the snowfall. "The debtors we went up against are tough to the bone, and they ain't gonna be giving up their souls for ours. Mugman and I have faced every one of those hoodlums, and we didn't even come close to getting a single contract from them. They're THAT intensely hard."

"Well maybe we can-a lend a helping hand if they're-a really difficult to beat," Mario offered.

"You guys? Offering to help?" Cuphead questioned, the bendy straw in his cup-shaped head curling into a question mark shape. "Unless you wanna risk getting your bones broken, I don't think it's worth a shot." Steve, who was listening to the story told by the cartoon characters, began to grow rather fond of the peculiar world they seemed to have come from and was eager to learn more about it.

"I think Mario and his friends can go on ahead and head off to your world," Kazooie cooed. "Banjo and I have already got a challenge trying to take care of Steve here."

"Hey, no challenge is too great for us-a to overcome," Mario insisted. "We've got plenty of experience in terms of fighting, so we can-a help you two deal with the Devil and his debtors… up-a close and personal, of-a course."

"Hm… alright," Cuphead answered. "But like I said: they're tough to the bone. The fights against them aren't easy." The fighters soon ended up at the stone bridge connecting to the front doors of the Smash Fortress, standing firmly over a frozen lake. Mario and his friends were certain they came back from their little trip across the snowfall.


Even though the weather was positively chilling outside, the Smash Fortress was warm and soothing from the inside thanks to the fireplace blazing bright and the furnace vents spreading the heat from the room to the rest of the castle, past the arranged tables and chairs. Pichu, Yoshi, the Pokémon Trainer, Mr. Game & Watch, and Piranha Plant were sitting near the fire, trying to keep themselves warm near the fire. Princess Daisy approached the fighters, carrying Flowey in his flowerpot in her arms.

"Hey, guys," Daisy told the Smashers. "Looks like Flowey wants to warm up by the fire a bit, so can you give him some room?" The Princess of Sarasaland gently stroked the back of the monster flower's golden petals, bothering him quite a bit.

"Don't get too comfortable around me," Flowey warned in retaliation to Daisy petting him. "I'd kill you before you even know it."

"Yeah, sure," Daisy replied in a cheerful tone, setting Flowey next to the Piranha Plant before walking off. The flower glanced up at the carnivorous plant, who got his face close enough to sniff the creature next to him.

"You're a curious specimen, aren't you?" Flowey asked. "Well… no funny businesses or I'll rip your teeth out." The Piranha Plant simply licked Flowey's face like a dog, bearing a contented grin. Flowey, however, was not amused as he used his small vines to wipe the saliva off his face.

As for Daisy, she walked out and sat down at the bottom of the stairs, groaning out of boredom since there was nothing to do around here. The legendary Son of Sparda that was staying with the Smashers as a guest with the likes of Sans was passing by the Princess of Sarasaland on his way down the stairs.

"Heya, gorgeous," Dante greeted. "Whatcha doing here?"

"Nothing much," Daisy sighed, resting her hands on her lap. "I'm just so darn bored."

"Well… there's a good chunk of this place that hasn't been explored yet," the Devil Hunter advised. "You can go check out those untouched rooms for some entertainment."

"Perhaps. Anything you're planning today?" Daisy asked as she stood up from where she sat.

"Nothing much," the Devil Hunter added, resting his arms behind his head. "Just gonna have a little chat with Bayonetta. She seems rather nice. And sexy too. My kind of woman."

"Okay, you have fun with her, but be careful. You'll never know when she might scratch." The tomboyish princess headed through the large door next to the entrance to the frozen garden, and Dante managed to catch the Umbra Witch herself by the corner of his eye at the grand hallway. She glanced up at the peculiar markings imprinted upon the walls, past the pictures hung upon them.

The more Cereza seemed to stare at the markings, the more curious she began to grow about the Smash Fortress. The place was rather new, and it was literally oozing with secrets yet to be found about the castle, or in any case about Arcus and its universe in general. The paintings were rather vague and cryptic themselves, some of which she couldn't really seem to describe.

Dante snuck up on Bayonetta, surprising her ever so slightly with, "Hi, gorgeous. Wonderful artworks, aren't they? And the markings carved into the walls too."

"Fancy meeting you here, Dante," Bayonetta noted with a tongue-in-cheek tone in her voice, staring at the Devil Hunter with eyes as seductive as a panther. "Take a good look at them. Do you often wonder if these paintings and markings are trying to tell us something?"

"Hm… now that you mention it, I can kinda see it," Dante replied, his arms crossed over his chest. "Like there's some kind of story these artifacts contain, but they're just so… vague that they're interesting."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"That's the thing. I have no idea. I'm just… it's quite hard to put into words, in all honesty. I mean, they look cool in and of themselves, but it drives me to ask some questions about the world you guys live in. What other places exist on this planet? Does it live in a solar system or is it just a single child to its sun? How are those islands floating? Who built those ancient monuments?"

"Just as bugged out as you, love. I can't seem to answer those questions, not even with the knowledge my clan once provided. Perhaps once we get the Hands back, we could be able to learn a bit more about this world we've never really explored for twenty years."

"And maybe find an easier way to get back to our worlds instead of going through each one at the library and waste time opening up portals to worlds we've never discovered yet. I bumped into Daisy as I made my way downstairs. She said there wasn't anything to do around here. I suggested she should explore the Smash Fortress since it's humongous and only a small portion has only been discovered. It's vast… like the universe. Ever since I lost my mother, I've been trying to keep my mind focused on other things other than killing all demons out of revenge. I've grown far more curious about the human world than Sparda ever was. A lot of people tend to assume my head's far up in the clouds…"

"Interesting. I guess you and I are similar in terms of personality… with the only difference being my vocabulary tends to be a bit more… erotic than yours. Am I understanding that correctly?" The Devil Hunter chuckled at the comment, nodding his head in response and more eager than not to just momentarily shift the conversation away from the paintings in order to have a little chat with the Umbra Witch.

"Yeah, you got that right. Still… I wonder what my mom would think about me and Vergil ever since we grew up on separate paths. We've been divided for as long as I can remember, with Vergil willing to trade his human heritage for more power. Even then, he's still my brother… and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't kill him despite what he thinks of me. He sometimes drops in for visits, but it's for the occasional brawl."

"Your mother… what was her name?" Bayonetta asked, curious about the half-demon's mother and wondering if there were some kind of similarities towards those she knew about. Other than that, she seemed to be more interested in who Dante's mother once was.

"...Eva," Dante answered.

"Eva… what a beautiful name she was blessed with." Cereza walked up to Dante, pulling out some kind of bracelet she carried on her skin-tight suit. Upon presenting it to the Son of Sparda, Dante could see the appearance of what appeared to be one of Bayonetta's artifacts: the Bracelet of Time.

"This precious little accessory has given me the ability to access Witch Time and Bat Within," Bayonetta explained. "Legends say it was crafted by a witch who bore your mother's name, and that she signed a contract with a legendary dark knight to fight back against the rebellious forces eager to break free from Inferno and drown the human world in darkness."

"...Sounds like a similar story I heard when Vergil and I were just boys," Dante replied upon hearing the brief tale of the Bracelet of Time's history. "You wouldn't suppose my mother was an Umbra Witch just like you… was she?"

"Have no idea if your mother was that same witch. There are plenty of women named Eva in the world. It could have been anyone. But that story about the dark knight… it makes me kind of curious. I only knew about Eva through legend, and if she just so happened to be your mother… well, I guess that technically makes you and your brother the half-sons of an Umbra Witch too."

"Heh. You really mean it?"

"Why, of course. But it's just a theory. You can't always take information you hear as a fact. And besides… I'm sure the both of us can get along perfectly. You're quite a cute boy to chat with. Most other men would be fawning over me, but you've certainly become the apple of my eye."

"Cute boy?" Dante chuckled, scratching the back of his head with a little tint in his cheeks upon Bayonetta giving him that compliment since normally he would do the flirting part first upon every good-looking woman he encountered.

"We can find some similarities in the worlds we came from, and maybe even have some playful banters in our fights against sweeping hordes of enemies should we land in a battle against angels and demons. Pit and his dark counterpart are the real buggers here, let me tell you that." The front doors suddenly swung open, surprising the Devil Hunter and the Umbra Witch ever so slightly. Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser walked into the fortress, with Banjo, Kazooie, and Steve dragging behind.

"Finally, you guys are back," Dante greeted. "Weather's gotten quite intense, hasn't it?"

"It sure has-a," Mario answered, slowly backing away from his group. "Look: the transporter activated, and we've found two new guests willing to go back, but… I don't-a know if you're ready to see what they look like."

"We're fine with whoever you show us. I'm sure it wouldn't affect us negatively in any way possible," Bayonetta replied. Just as Mario and his friends separated from each other, Dante and Bayonetta could see Cuphead and Mugman with the group, with the red-clothed cup waving his hand in a shy manner.

"Oh… my God," Dante couldn't believe what he's seeing right now, and Cereza was just as shocked as him. "Are you two like… actual, living cartoons? This can't be real. There's gotta be a holographic projector around here."

"Holographic? What's that?" Mugman questioned, tapping his fingers against the rim of his mug-shaped head.

"How interesting," Bayonetta replied, with Ken Masters just passing by and instantly stopping in surprise over the toons that came with Mario and the gang. "I suppose in another universe, cartoons can come to life. Quite literally, of course."

"Okay, okay," Cuphead rebutted, placing his hands in front of his face and using the gesture of pushing as a way to tell those around him and his brother to back off. "At this point, we get it. We look different from the lot of ya. But Mugman and I don't necessarily have enough time to hang around with you so you can stare at our physical appearances. Cuz once midnight approaches, we're both toast. Now come on. Do you wanna help us get back to our world or not?"

"Alright, we'll help," Bowser answered. "Now come on. Let's head to that library. We'll check every last book, if we have to." The Koopa King marched past Ken and Chrom, who too was rather curious about what was going on.

Chrom placed a thumb underneath his chin, talking to Ken with, "What strange little creatures walking among us."

"You heard the cup with the red clothes. Best not to waste time questioning their appearances unless we wanna get into trouble. Let's just play along with the assumption they… just exist.," Ken Masters confirmed.

"Damn straight," Dante replied upon hearing the two fatherly fighters talk with each other while he was walking past them with Mario, Peach, Luigi, Steve, Bayonetta, and Banjo & Kazooie with the two toons.


The books in the library, though unmarked in terms of name, had shelves that marked which letters they started with from A to Z. In order to get Cuphead and Mugman back to their world, which was the Inkwell Isles, the fighters that met the toons were combing the I section. They checked the spines on each book, trying to find the correct name. Dante and Sans also volunteered to help with Bayonetta by their side, searching through the section as best as they could with no luck.

"These are all written in some kind of alien language," Dante finally spoke up, bored out of his skull. "I can't seem to translate them. Anybody here good at linguistics?"

"Maybe you should get Mega Man and Clementine in on this," Peach replied. "I think they managed to figure this sort of language out before heading out to find Pappy."

"Already on it," Dante alerted, zipping out of the library to look for the Inkling and Rockman. The Devil Hunter came back in just a few seconds, carrying Clementine and Mega Man in his arms.

"These who you're looking for?" Dante asked shortly before letting the two smaller fighters drop to the carpeted floor. Clementine's brains were already swimming due to the intense G-force she endured just like when Sonic carried her anywhere. As for Mega Man, he was already confused as to why exactly the Devil Hunter abducted him and the Inkling.

"Um… I don't mean to be rude, but any idea why you just snatched us away while we were playing some poker?" Mega Man questioned, tapping his foot while waiting for a response.

The Son of Sparda simply replied with, "Ask them." The ones Dante was referring to were Cuphead and Mugman, the very toons looking for a way back home.

"Apparently, all of these books have some kind of letter… things on the spines," Cuphead explained. "One of em takes me and Mugman back to the Inkwell Isles. Think you both can find a book with that exact name in this section?" At first, the two fighters who had no idea what was going on stared at the toons quite curiously with confused eyes, but in just a few seconds Mega Man gave his answer without pondering.

"We'll try seeing what we can do," the blue bomber stated, glancing up at all the untouched books in the section. There was a lot for the Super Smash Brothers to go through, but maybe with a little bit of help the job could get done much easier. Mega Man gave a couple quick taps against the side of his helmet, his robotic eyes scanning through every dusty cover. Thousands of translated words ran over his vision while he was in pursuit of the one labeled "Inkwell Isles." Soon, Rockman managed to find the right book, located just a few feet high at one of the higher shelves. The letters spelt out seemed to read "Nésylpuipiaueanainai Nésāhnnaiueanésāhn."

"Clementine. Need a boost?" Mega Man asked the Inkling, to which she nodded in response. Mega Man called in his robot canine partner Rush, spawning him in front of himself and giving her what she needed to get that specific book. The Inkling bounced off Rush, tightly gripping the bookshelves while she snatched the book that the Smashers were looking for. By the time she grabbed the book, she pushed herself off of the shelves and landed on her feet in front of Sans.

"Could have used a ladder," Dante suggested as Sans used his telekinesis to grab the book Clementine was holding. Mega Man and Inkling glanced over to find out there was a long ladder supported by wheels just sitting there, and the two soon began to realize that they didn't exactly have to do those cool stunts to get something they needed. But considering it was too late, the fighters all went into the room found beneath that trapdoor.


By the time everyone that offered to help Cuphead and Mugman made their way down the stairs to the cellar below, Mega Man and Clementine offered to translate the alien language presented on the stand on that wooden table.

"I think you're supposed to place that book of yours on the stand," Mega Man suggested.

"Are you sure something might-a work if we-a do this?" Mario questioned.

"You tell me," Mega Man replied, crossing his arms and looking over to the red plumber. "You asked for that book." The skeleton that came with them took the chance of placing the book on the stand, taking a step back as the book began to open and levitate, the pages inside it glimmering blue and rapidly flipping through the pages. The letters on its spine translated into "Inkwell Isles".

Steve slowly approached the book, his knowledge of things such as enchantment tables flooding back to his head the more he stared at the floating book. Banjo and Kazooie, however, were cautiously wary. The bear held on tight to Steve's blocky arm, holding him back from potential danger. They gave a glare at the Player, telling him to stay back from something that could harm him both physically and mentally. Everyone but the Devil Hunter didn't seem to notice, and Dante himself knew the look that bear and bird were giving their bestie.

The Son of Sparda had quite a close relationship with Steve, among all of the other fighters he's currently living with right now. In recent days, he's starting to feel as though there was something bugging the blocky player. As if something was keeping Steve back from accomplishing something, but what? He soon snapped out of his thoughts the second he just remembered they were in a room with a floating book, and Cuphead was willing to go ahead and touch the blue pages.

The pages flashed brightly and began to rapidly flip, with the walls of text projected onto the sides of the room in an exact scenario that happened with the Villager, Bowser Jr., and the Koopalings. Cuphead, surprised by what he just did, simply stared in wonder with his brother and the other Smashers at what just happened in the room. Unlike the book labelled "Doom," there wasn't really anything to learn about that world, and the details of the place were rather vague. It just happened to be a world where cartoons came to life without any question. Luigi, on the other hand, managed to see something that caught his eye on the wall to his left.

The green plumber shuffled close to the wall while everyone else stood around like befuddled dummies. The ambiguous text that he could read gave him a little insight into some of the secrets hidden in Cuphead's world, with photos of a tall brick building that looked like it was taken by an old, black-and-white camera. Two men, who looked like they were in their early 20's, stood in front of the brick building with many other people behind them with faces he couldn't seem to recognize. Between the two men was what looked to be a wooden cutout of some kind of cartoon-ish demon with a white face, a toothy grin beneath pie eyes, and curved horns donned atop a floating head. The demon's body was entirely black, with shiny shoes, a bowtie, and gloves with buttons. Plastered next to the photograph taken were rough sketches and concept art for some toons, each one of them related to the demon printed on the cutout in terms of style and art design. But what Luigi saw next filled him with a sense of uneasiness.

There was another photograph taken within what appeared to be the large brick studio itself, in front of a wooden wall. All it took was five, wrathful words of ink-dripping hatred caught in the photograph that sent Luigi an unnerving aura of what was to come…

The Creator lied to us.

The younger twin brother of Mario, though disturbed by how rushed and filled with sorrow and fear those words screamed, needed to know the name of that place if he wanted to get any answers since the name of that studio seemed to have been cropped out. For what he knew that place may hold the answers which he was willing to seek, believing that no matter what he was told he still thought that nightmare he had to be real. Thankfully, those frightening words didn't last long as Mario was the one who touched the pages in the glowing book again, which drew all the text presented on the walls before anyone else in the cellar got the chance to read anything from it.

The text spun above the pages of the book, converting into a holographic map of the whole city of Civiltatula. The Smashers gathered around while watching as the book zoomed in on the downtown part of the town. A tiny stick figure at that part of the town was shown carrying a bucket, spilling some kind of liquid into a square that stretched all over the lower area at a specific section of the downtown, preferably a section that was completely flat and had no interfering buildings, monuments, or fauna. The perimeter on all four sides was about three hundred and eleven feet in length, according to the text that was displayed next to the square. The area in total needed to be filled with ninety-six thousand, seven hundred and twenty-one feet of any kind of ink that was available. The only reason to do that was because at each corner of the square there were four special drains hidden on the streets, and they each needed an equal amount of ink necessary to activate the portal to the Inkwell Isles.

"Hm… anybody reading what we have to do here?" Peach asked.

"Yep," replied Mega Man. "I think we have to cover an entire city block worth of ink in order to get that portal open." Clementine chirped in her Inkling language, cocking her Splattershot as a sign she wanted to do something, most noticeably offering to help, and no one didn't even have to translate what she was saying since her body language alone was enough to help the fighters understand.

"Are you sure you can handle painting an entire city block with ink all by yourself?" asked Dante. "Wouldn't it make more sense if some of us were to help?" Steve jumped up and down, looking over to the bear and bird to see if they had anything to say in the matter.

Much to the blocky player's unexpected surprise, Banjo responded with, "Sure. Kazooie and I will be eager to help."

"Steve can tag along and offer some assistance, since he's been meaning to keep himself busy with something else besides adventure," Kazooie said, blissfully unaware of what Steve really wanted.

And the Son of Sparda knew what the blocky player really wanted.


Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Dante offered to assist Clementine with painting an entire block full of her own ink, and the Inkling alone had no trouble alone in her own corner since she could just transform into a squid and refill in her own puddle. She was dressed in warmer attire, even though the snowfall began to calm down, which consisted of a pair of earmuffs, some mittens, and a puffy jacket.

Cloud Strife and Link were standing by the side, watching as Clementine moved closer towards their direction with her roller. The two swordsmen were donned with trench coats and scarves, and the Gunner Ultimate Reborn was with them while they stood next to one of the buildings that was damaged during the Rift outbreak and getting rebuilt by the likes of Buckots and Trowlons assisting the Mii Gunners.

"Looks like the Inkling and some of our friends are… painting the road for some reason," Cloud pondered, turning towards the Mii Gunner. "Do you remember asking them if they could do that, especially with the construction that needs to take place in the city?"

"Well… they told me and the other two Ultimates with what was going on, and that the area they were trying to cover with ink won't interfere with the rebuilding of all the places that were destroyed by the incident," Sherry explained as best as she could. "So while R.O.B. is trying to take care of things down at the Legacy, the boys and I are choosing to fix things here. Even though we ourselves are fighters, they're still our people at the end of the day. Both the Miis and the Subspace Army."

"Well, good luck with that, especially when it's so cold outside," replied Link.

"Are you sure you… don't want to work with us?" Sherry asked in slight surprise, curious as to how come the Champion of Hyrule wasn't in the mood for helping out. "Why, with your knowledge on that Sheikah Slate and all of its features, we can get these buildings patched in no time!"

"I don't know…" the Hylian sighed while glancing over to the 1st-class SOLDIER. "The last time I relied on my own skills, I guess I got so carried away I unknowingly put myself in danger. I may not have been so lucky if Cloud wasn't there to protect my back and pull me out of the mud."

"Well… I don't really mind you using your skills to help out others," Cloud replied, rubbing the back of his head while his breath fogged up in the chilly air. "Like I mentioned, you can do whatever. Just… don't get too over-confident again, like I mentioned the past couple of times."

"I know, Cloud…" resumed Link, noticing that the ex-mercenary's cheeks were a little red. "Hey, I think you're blushing a bit." Cloud Strife noticed what Link was talking about, pulling the dark aquamarine scarf around his neck up to his nose.

"It's nothing… just the cold," Cloud Strife dismissed with the only words he could say in response, looking away from the two fighters with a blushing face. Link and the Mii Gunner stifled their giggles a bit, admiring how adorable the 1st-class SOLDIER looked in the weather.

"I mean, Link's ears are also tinted red as well, so I'm probably not the only one," the ex-mercenary pointed out. The Champion of Hyrule covered the tips of his pointed ears, breathing out of his nose above his own scarf while his cheeks were also blushing. But whether it was out of childish embarrassment or from the chilly winter air, it was hard to say.

Before anything else happened next, Dante zipped over to the current location where Sherry, Link, and Cloud were at. Since the Devil Hunter appeared so quickly due to his superhuman speed, his sudden arrival was quite surprising. The Son of Sparda was holding the Inkbrush that Clementine had with the other ink-related weapons at her disposal, simply borrowing it for the time being.

"Oh! Dante! What a pleasant surprise!" proclaimed the Gunner Ultimate Reborn. "We weren't expecting you to show up so soon…"

"Yeah, well… you guys are kinda standing above something. Can you move outta the way, please?" asked Dante. The Devil Hunter gently pushed between Link and Cloud, planting the Inkbrush over a special spot in the center of the sidewalk. When the Devil Hunter began to paint the road with the Inkbrush, the three fighters noticed what appeared to be some kind of small, circular drain glowing with futuristic markings that made it look more like it belonged in the shower than on the road.

"So… coating an entire block of ink to unlock a portal, I presume," Link guessed, placing a finger underneath his chin.

"You can thank the books in that huge library located in the Smash Fortress for this wacky job," Dante replied, scrubbing one spot of the road like a janitor in the school hallway. He only stopped after a couple of seconds when he began to sigh.

"What's the matter, Dante?" Cloud asked.

"Okay. I didn't think I would get the day when I wanted to come clear about something, but… personally, I seem to have worrying opinions on what's going on between Steve and that bear and bird."

"Banjo and Kazooie?" questioned Sherry. "I have no idea what you're exactly worried about, but the relationship between them and that blocky individual from their world? Do you think you can clarify that for us, Dante?"

"You get what I'm talking about, right? The bear and the bird are apparently looking after the guy like he had a tragic accident, but haven't you noticed their methods of parenting are a bit too… extreme?" Dante explained.

"Whatever do you mean?" Link asked.

"Everywhere Steve goes, Banjo and Kazooie seem to follow," the Devil Hunter continued. "They try their hardest to raise him like a child, even though he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself. He can't seem to explore on his own without his pals telling him 'No,' and they seem far too cautious about his safety. As though they think Steve is constantly in danger. Hey, Link: you've been having problems of your own too, right?"

"What about them?" the Hylian asked. "Well… Cloud's been mentioning that it's because of my overconfidence. That I'm letting my weapons and skills do the thinking for me. Perhaps Banjo and Kazooie are doing the same with Steve in preventing him from becoming too courageous."

"But when is it too much for someone to handle?" Dante pointed out. "When does the pampering take a toll for the worst? When does overprotectiveness eventually take control of your life?"

"What are you going on about?" Cloud proposed.

"I've been having a bad feeling as of late, and I think it may have something to do with that bear and bird. Like they might have no idea how to properly handle parenthood."

"Maybe you should… talk to them?" the Mii Gunner addressed. "You can try to give out a sense of understanding and find a way to benefit both sides. Maybe you can find out why Banjo & Kazooie are being overprotective, as well as learn why Steve's upset as a result." The Devil Hunter tapped the bottom of his chin, looking at the painted road while he thought of a solution.

"You might be onto something… I'll be back in a minute," Dante confirmed with a quick decision, running straight ahead while dragging the Inkbrush behind him.


Kazooie was ejecting Splat Bombs she and Banjo borrowed from Clementine, by which Banjo caught them and threw them on the ground for an ink-colored blast of orange at another section of the corner they were painting. The Breegull heard the sound of the Devil Hunter skidding across the inked road, creating a sloshing sound of the orange fluid that was staying fresh from the light snowfall.

"Okay, Kazooie. I'm ready for more of those Splat Bombs," Banjo told his teammate, holding his fore paw out while staying ignorant of the Son of Sparda standing behind them. Kazooie tapped his head with her beak, to which the bear responded by turning around.

"Well well well... If it ain't our lovable half-blood venator," greeted Banjo as Dante placed his hand on the handle of the Inkbrush as though it was a cane. "How's it going at your corner?"

"Progress is as smooth as this ink," Dante replied. "Any idea where Steve is?"

"He's right next to us, helping cover the areas we missed," Banjo cleared up, pointing over to his left. Just a few feet away from the bear-and-bird duo, Steve was using Clementine's Slosher to spill ink across the road, supposedly covering up more of the road. Dante seemed to recognize that through the blocky player's lowered head something was troubling Steve.

"Do you mind if I borrow him for a little bit?" asked Dante, placing the Inkbrush on his back over his Rebellion.

"How come?" Kazooie cautiously questioned as she and Banjo eyed the Devil Hunter with suspicion.

"I just want to have a small chat with him," Dante explained, raising his hands slightly up to clear up what he intends to be doing. "Don't worry. I'm not going to let anything bad happen to him."

"For God's sake, hope you keep true to your word," Banjo replied. Dante strutted over to Steve, tapping the blocky player on his shoulder. Steve lifted up his head and turned around, making eye contact with the younger twin son of Sparda.

"Hey, Steve… mind if I talk with you for a minute?" the Devil Hunter asked, gently holding Steve's arm while walking away from the bear and the bird until they were both at a reasonable distance and the anthropomorphic duo resumed their work under the assumption that nothing bad was ever going to happen to their cubic friend.

Once the two were far enough to avoid being overheard by Banjo and Kazooie, Dante sighed and started the conversation with, "I take it your two pals aren't treating you in the best shape, are they?" Steve began writing in one of the many notes he carried along, passing it to the Devil Hunter when he was done.

"Ever since I woke up, they've been treating me like a child," Steve's first note explained. "They think that something terrible is going to happen to me unless I'm under their protection and in their line of sight and/or with close friends. Banjo and Kazooie are trying to keep me from something, but I don't know what. I can't seem to remember how or when I even got here to this realm, and already they're pampering me like some kind of child, even though I can take care of myself."

"Hm… sounds to me like they're overcompensating," Dante spoke in response. "Did you try talking to them?" The blocky player wrote down his thoughts in another note, passing it to the Devil Hunter.

"I tried multiple times, but I always get this response that I'm not supposed to know something," the second note read. "It's like they're keeping secrets from me, and those same secrets could potentially be harmful for my health. It's like they don't want me to go exploring and express my creative freedom however I want. But every time I even try getting these kinds of thoughts… I get plagued by some kind of demonic presence."

"Oh my… what kind?" asked Dante.

"A grotesque version of myself, if I can recall correctly," the third note began. "Constantly teasing me, taunting me with the thought of abandoning my friends just to experience the self-pleasure and dignity in the freedom of my world's abilities. Minecraft's abilities. And if I even try to go down that path, I might start to deteriorate, lose all of my credibility, lose my friends, and become ugly… both outside and in. Sure, I might find relief in finally talking back to the bad parenting skills of Banjo and Kazooie, but at what cost? I'm… deeply worried about what to do here." Dante began to think about what kind of message he could use to solve Steve's problem, fully aware that he wasn't the best at giving supportive quotes that can instantly change people's opinions and views on the world. But with straight confidence, he tried anyway.

"Y'know… from the way I see things, every road has something that blocks you from progressing," Dante answered. "Be it a giant log, a landslide, a branching path… it's entirely random. But through my own personal struggles, I learned to overcome them by coming up with different solutions to different problems. Your struggle may very well be a fork in the road. I may not know the answer, but with your creativity and desire for artistic freedom I'm sure you can come up with one on your own. We all have the power to be what we desire. You just have to declare it through your intentions and your actions. Most of us declare what we don't want. It's just as valid, but in doing so sometimes we lose sight of what we really want." Steve began to contemplate on what the half-demon said, knowing very well he would eventually take those words to heart.

"And who knows? Maybe you might become a battle-hardened Smasher yourself one day," Dante finished, shrugging his shoulders. "It might come in fifty years when you're old and gray and your balding around your head, or today when you decide to go on over to that cartoon dimension. Choice is up to you, just like in your realm. Or however that works… You should probably head back to your bear and bird. They're kinda getting worried right now." Steve nodded and ran off behind the Devil Hunter, dashing back to Banjo & Kazooie with the thought of traveling to the Inkwell Isles giving him some ideas.

As for Dante, he looked over behind himself, seeing that Clementine had just finished up on her own corner with her Splat Roller. Once the Inkling was done, she stepped back and watched as the futuristic drain absorbed all the ink she spilled across the road like a bath sponge with a large radius. The same drain began to glow in a neon aquamarine color, and some kind of line made out of light began to flow from its position towards the direction of the large castle found in the Ironwood Forest.


Alchemo and Pappy had their heads over the railings on the Smash Fortress's main bridge across the water, watching in awe as two lines of aqua light slithered across the icy lake and into a tall tower just right next to the second dome that was a tad bit smaller than the primary dome. It began to glow at the tip, driving the young cadet and the magenta-haired hybrid girl with interest in exploring more of this expansive place.

"Every time I look at this humongous stronghold, I feel like I should explore the place more and more," Paddy told Alchemo.

"Same goes for me, and I'm quite quizzical on what exactly that section has in store for the whole lot of us," Alchemo replied, adjusting the glasses on his face. "Like there could be some kind of inner bailey we might not have discovered yet, or even a museum, or a plumbing, heating, and power facility."

"Or an actual throne room," Pappy added, getting more intensified with excitement by the minute. "I don't really get why the other fighters call the one we already have the 'throne room.' I mean, there are dining tables and chairs. Shouldn't it obviously be called the dining room?"

"Yeah… I wonder…" Alchemo replied with thoughts on exploration while he and the magenta-haired girl didn't seem to recognize that the Inkling was walking past them with Banjo & Kazooie, Steve, and Dante. The blocky player glanced over to the two guests living with the Super Smash Brothers, starting to feel desirous and even a bit jealous that a couple of individuals who are probably at a younger age than him get to wander around.

Once the fighters who helped Clementine paint an entire block worth of ink got into the Smash Fortress, they met up with Mario, Peach, Luigi, Bowser, Cuphead, and Mugman near the door to the garden, who had been waiting for them to return.

"Ah! We were just-a waiting for you to return-a," Mario greeted. "So: who's-a in the mood to go and give that Devil his-a due?"

"If there's anything involving demons and devils, I'm sure as hell going with you guys," Dante was quick to decide with a confirmed answer, planting his fist in the palm of his hand. "Nothing excites me more than kicking the ass of a super-powerful guy who threatens you with eternal damnation."

"How curious," Cuphead noted. "You're willing to come with us to help take down that sniveling weasel and his debtors?"

"I've been meaning to look for a challenge, and since Mario mentioned something about a demon, clarify me on this one thing before I pack up: how hard are these fights against them?"

"That depends," Mugman replied, tapping the rim of his mug-shaped head. "You're talking about as-a-rock kind of hard or mind-numbingly extreme, hellfire-inducing intense kind of hard?"

"The latter, of course," Dante noted.

"Yep to a P," Cuphead answered. "Like we told your friends here, these bosses we'll be facing are a real pain in the butt, but I'm certain since you're a masochist for this kind of stuff I dunno why we would deny your offer… unless you just like dying, of course." The Inkling gulped when she heard how difficult those bosses might be, so she decided to back away as a sure sign that she would pass on the offer of traveling to the Inkwell Isles.

"The only things that put me in a good mood are pizza, strawberry sundaes, and a lifetime of killing demons with the intent to hurt and murder," Dante pointed out, holding his hands behind his head. "So - where's that portal of yours?" Princess Peach glanced outside of the open garden entrance, spotting one of the platforms on the various islands start to levitate.

"Oh, I think we may have found our answer," Peach proclaimed. The rest of the fighters in the group entered the garden and ran on over to the newly-reawakened platform, activating and opening up a new portal for anyone to enter into.

"Let's hope this little contraption-thingy of yours works," Cuphead told the group as he grabbed ahold of Mugman's hand and jumped onto the platform. The two toons felt rather nervous as they were both engulfed in an aura of bright blue before vanishing completely in front of the various characters from other worlds.

"Oh, so that's how they work," Dante noted after seeing the portal up top on the platform work in action. "Whelp, don't try being too late." The Devil Hunter jumped onto that same platform while flipping and exclaiming in joy with a simple "Woohoo!". Dante was next to vanish in the blue aura, followed by Mario, Peach, and Bowser.

"Don't-a leave me behind!" Luigi called out in a panicked rush, running over to the bottom of the platform and jumping onto it. When the green plumber also disappeared, Banjo laid his fuzzy hands on the sides of Steve's cubic arms, sighing deeply.

"Alright, Steve," Banjo told the blocky player. "Kazooie and I will be heading out to another world. Stay with all of our other friends and don't - I repeat: DON'T - follow us into the Inkwell Isles."

"Or you're gonna be really sorry, mister!" Kazooie squawked, poking out of Banjo's backpack before tucking herself back in. The bear jumped onto the platform, giving a small salute to Steve before he and the Breegull in his backpack vanished.

Now Steve was all alone in the garden. No one to talk to. No one to plague his mind. He chose to stand near the portal for a little while, admiring the dark blue colors swirling around it. He began to wonder if those inspirational words Dante gave him really did hold some kind of meaning to them.

And one thing's for sure: if the blocky player were to enter that portal, he may have to look for the answer himself.

Chapter 105: !IMPORTANT NOTICE!

Chapter Text

Important notice:

Alright, before we begin, I just wanna say thank you for staying with me all these years. I wouldn't have gotten to where I am now if it weren't for devoted fans like you. But now I come with some… pretty heavy news: I'm cancelling this story.

Well… not exactly cancel it but moreover reboot it into a more grounded, episodic story. After looking back at this fanfiction, I soon realized that there were plenty of issues that needed to be fixed. For example, I soon realized there were plenty of plot holes I needed to fix, but I couldn’t be bothered to fix the entire story because of time constraints and personal issues going on in my life. By the time I’m writing this, it has been over four years ever since I started working on World of Light: The Subspace Emissary II. Around that time, the positive feedback I have gotten from my story has me growing as a writer and artist.

I had been planning this for a while, and I must say: I’m going to miss working on this book. But now I must move on and rework the story into the way my friend Wizbenorno and I intended it to be. It’s going to fix most of the major errors my story had. And since a lot more characters are being revealed for Smash, whether it be newcomer fighters or Mii costumes, there’s bound to be some new surprises.

I’m planning on taking animation and Japanese classes to get a better feel for my story, since I have plans to adapt it into some kind of anime parody. But I need to focus on one thing at a time. The world’s changing around me, but deep down in my heart I… and all you beloved fans are true fans of a game that has united fans of so many of our favorite franchises. And the story I wish to tell is one that has a different take of the game we all love and add my own spin on the greatest crossover that has ever happened in a generation.

Once again, thank you all for everything.

Series this work belongs to: