Actions

Work Header

Caught Up In the Crossfire Of Heaven and Hell, and We’re Searching for Shelter

Chapter 8

Summary:

Evie and her friends try to solve a problem. When are they not.

In the past, Evie's had to deal with Frollo and Hades. And her new powers. She finds out where she got them and who her father is.

Notes:

This chapter contains:

Frollo being a sorry excuse for a human.

Jay having two hands.

Hades being Hades.

Chad and Evie being bros.

Thank you to everyone for reading and leaving kudos and comments!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“So the wee lass has powers?” Harry leaned back in his chair with his boots up on the table.

“Considering who her mother is, I’m not surprised.” Uma was sitting next to him, her hand in his lap.

“What all can she do?” Jane asked.

“She touched a hot stove and didn’t get burned. That’s all we know so far.” Evie explained to adults in the room. Most of her friends had come when she explained they had a problem.

Doug’s eyes widened. “We can test-”

“My daughter isn’t some experiment.” Evie slammed her fist on the table. “She’s five.”

“I know.” Doug looked apologetic as he reeled himself in. “I’m just saying it doesn’t hurt to be prepared. We can assume she has the same abilities as you. She’ll need to learn how to control them. She’s much younger than all of you were when you began to exhibit powers.”

“Jane and I will help you, Evie.” Mal looked around the room. “We all will.”

“They already talk about her because of me. I know what they say about her.” Evie clenched her jaw and felt the flames in her fingertips.

“Mama! Are you done talking about me?” Rory came bounding into the room. Chad and Ben slunk in behind her looking guilty.

Several of the adults in the room started talking at once at getting caught in the act.

“We weren’t talking about you-”

“This coffee is great!”

“We had other stuff to talk about. Adult things-

“Like making babies?” Rory looked at the adults, with an expression of judgement on her face that didn’t belong to a five year old. She pointed at a very pregnant Mal. “Uncle Ben and Aunt Mal made a baby and that’s why she’s so big.”

“What! No!” Chad sputtered. He covered Rory’s ears. “Harry! Uma! What have you been telling her?”

“This is why Ben and I watch Rory more than you and Harry,” Mal chuckled.

“Like you were watching her when you and Ben lost her?” Uma scoffed.

“We didn’t lose her,” Mal defended weakly. “We were playing hide and seek. She was just really, really good at it. A hide and seek prodigy!”

“Seriously?” Uma roared with laughter.

“We’ll talk about that later.” Evie shot Mal and Uma a warning look. Her actual child didn’t give her as much grief as her grown family. “Hi, Rosebud. How was your shopping trip with Uncle Chad and Uncle Ben? You’re back earlier than expected.” She glared at the two men. This hadn’t been part of the plan.

“Why don’t you tell us about your morning, dear one? While your mama talks to your uncles.” Jane led the girl over to the table. At least one of her friends could be counted on to be an adult.

“When she heard about everyone being here she wanted to come back early,” Ben began his explanation.

“And who told her about everyone being here?” Evie asked, already knowing the answer.

Ben dipped his head sheepishly. Evie sighed.

“And my new nightlight is so cool! I won’t have nightmares anymore.” Rory exclaimed, her hands in the air.

“Nightmares?” Carlos asked Rory, but shot Evie a look of concern.

All of the adults at the table had nightmares from time to time. But especially the ones that had grown up on the Isle.

“Yeah! No more shadows. I’ll miss the Grey Lady,” Rory murmured sadly. “She was nice even if she was scary.”

“The Grey Lady?” Jane’s worried face mirrored Carlos’s.

“She fights the Shadows and other Bad Ones,” Rory explained, a little frustration sneaking in as if the adults really should already know this.

“What does the Grey Lady look like?” Carlos followed up his wife’s question.

“She’s grey,” Rory said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Harry started to laugh hard. “Yeah, Carlos. She’s obviously grey.”

“It’s right there in the name.” Uma was smirking. She gave Rory an encouraging nod to continue.

“And she’s got scars on her face like Mama. But different.” Rory traced a finger around her face.

Uma and Harry stopped laughing.

“Miss Grey.” Harry sat up. He glanced over at Uma.

“There was a villain on the Isle. That all the other villains were afraid of. But she was always nice to us kids.” Uma crossed her arms.

“Who are you talking about?” Evie took Rory into her lap.

“You wouldn’t have known her. She was around when we were little. Back when you were in exile.” Uma nodded as she spoke, as if each movement of her head brought back memories.

“I remember her!” Mal gasped.

“You would! You had a big ol’ crush on her,” Uma teased.

Mal blushed. “So did you!”

“She was something like a teacher. Taught us how to read and write,” Carlos cut in.

“A responsible adult?” Chad scoffed in disbelief. “On the Isle?”

“Well no,” Carlos winced. “She gave us chocolate and knives. Taught us how to use ‘em too.”

“She gave me a knife too! But just in my dream. Can I have a knife, Uncle Ben?” Rory knew exactly which adult would get her what she wanted.

“Of course!” Ben noticed Evie and Mal glaring at him. “When you’re older.”

“Rory, why don’t you go supervise your Uncle Ben while he sets up your nightlight.” Evie kissed the top of her daughter’s head to send her off.

“Okay!” Rory hopped out of Evie’s lap and took Ben by the hand.

“I’ve never heard of a villain by that name. Who’s villain was she?” Doug asked, hungry for knowledge.

Uma shrugged. “I don’t know. She was just there. Like I said all the villains were terrified of her. My mother was. Same with Gaston and Mother Gothel. Frollo was especially afraid of her. He would scream and call her a demon. He really just fell apart when he saw her in the alleys.”

“The only other villain with that kind of reputation on the Isle was Maleficent,” Carlos added.

“Yeah, but even my mother was afraid of her. She never let on. But I knew she was.” Mal bit her lip.

“But she’s not around.” Doug looked at everyone in the room. “She wasn’t one of the villains we interviewed back then.”

“She disappeared.” Harry waved his hands slowly, always one for theatrics.

“Someone who was a villain’s villain just disappeared? From the Isle that had a magical barrier around it.” Evie couldn’t be hearing that right.

“Yeah no one knows what happened to her for sure. Frollo said she went back to hell where she came from,” Carlos said sadly.

“Whatever happened, Maleficent took responsibility for it,” Mal explained.

They had all gathered to talk about Rory’s powers. But now they were talking about Rory’s nightmares like they were a real person. It wasn’t so hard to believe. Evie had dreams that were so real. Her last dream with Audrey, the last one she had in years, had been so realistic. Evie was sure it had been more than just a dream.

This villain could be visiting her daughter in her nightmares.

Evie didn’t like that.

“Okay. I’m going to come out and say it. Do you think Rory’s powers have something to do with her nightmares? Who was this villain really? Childhood memories aren’t much to go on.” Doug rubbed his chin.

“Dr. Facilier was friends with Miss Grey. They played chess together,” Uma offered. Harry beamed at her, like she was a genius.

Not to be outdone, Mal threw in a suggestion. “And Hades, too. We can ask them?”

Evie clenched her jaw. Hades didn’t really like her.

There were a lot of people that had written about Old Scratch. Evie had read the books. She learned his other names. There were accounts of people who had made deals with Old Scratch, like the farmer Stone and a fiddle player. She learned about the properties of hellfire and how to fight demons. (Harry and Uma, in particular, took a lot of interest in hunting demons.) Monks and scholars had their long winded tomes on witchcraft, which were poured over until her eyes blurred the letters.

But nothing could beat a first hand account.

Which is why Evie was speaking to Frollo.

The man. The monster.

The former Justice Minister was sitting at the same table Evie had spoken to Maleficent at. The table still had the gouge from the knife she put through the dark fairy’s hand. Evie grinned at the memory.

“I knew it was only a matter of time before you came for me,” Frollo said. His back was straight and his hands on the table in between them, his fingers steepled together.

Frollo had always disgusted Evie. Back on the Isle, she had stayed far away from his creperie. But whenever they had crossed paths, she would feel his eyes on her. She knew he was undressing her with eyes every time.

He was doing that exact thing right now.

“You were always a favorite of mine. I feel absolutely vindicated now.” Frollo reached a hand out towards her face. “You tempted me so you burned.”

“I see you haven’t learned a damn thing.” Jay grabbed Frollo by the wrist and squeezed it. “Keep your hands to yourself or I break them.”

“And you brought a bodyguard. Afraid of little old me?” Frollo smirked.

“I’m here for your protection.” Jay crossed his arms and went to stand behind him.

Like Mal, Jay hated feeling useless and powerless. When he had heard about his friends and Chad almost getting killed by hellfire, Jay had stuck close to Evie. Harry and Ben were doing the same to Uma and Mal respectively. Of course, Uma and Mal were hovering around her as well. Which just led to Evie never being alone. She usually ended up with an entourage everywhere she went.

Her friends practically fought for the honor of babysitting her during this interrogation. In the end, Evie picked Jay. She knew how much he needed it.

But one of the good things to come out of nearly burning alive in a cursed fire, was that Chad and Doug had gotten closer. Evie was still a romantic in spite of everything. She was happy for her friends.

“Yes, I heard what happened to Maleficent,” Frollo chuckled.

Another silver lining to have come from the fire was learning that she could control it. The hellfire answered to her.

“Jay,” Evie warned with a smile. She trailed her finger along the table, which began to smolder under her touch. “I think the judge here knows what’s good for him.”

“You!” Frollo’s eyes widened. “I was right about you! Sent here by the Devil himself to seduce me!”

“Don’t flatter yourself. The weakness is in you. You died. Now there’s no doubt as to where you ended up.” Evie called forth a black flame to her hand. She let it dance around her fingers. “And He shall smite the wicked and plunge them into a fiery pit.”

“Hellfire.” Frollo stared at the black flame. “The villains. We all died. But they don’t remember Hell. I do. The flames. I never had a moment’s peace.”

“Good.” Evie clenched her hand. The flame just hugged her fist. “After what you did to all those people. They should have left you there.”

“But I am here,” Frollo sneered. “And the one you lust for is there.”

“Do not!” The flames erupted along Evie’s skin. Her eyes burned.
“That demon! She got what she deserved! She was the worst of them. No wonder she ended up there,” Frollo screamed.

Evie slapped him across the face. Lucky for him, she had put her flames out. Even though she hadn’t wanted to. The way he spoke of Audrey, of any woman, was so hateful and it made her rage.

 

“I can easily make you wish you were back there!” Evie roared, as she held onto the front of his robes. “So talk.”

The man shook with fear. Evie was excited. She enjoyed being able to get such a reaction from such a vile man. But she hated the need for vengeance simmering under her skin.

The need to punish.

“There isn’t much to say,” Frollo gulped. “All of the villains that died ended up there, it’s true. But you’re missing one. The worst villain is the victor that put us all on the Isle. Ask him how he brought us back.”

Evie hadn’t thought of that.

She let go of the man that filled her with nothing but disgust. He fell to the floor and crawled behind Jay, shielding himself behind the young man’s legs.

How had the villains come back?

“I was burning and then I was back on earth. King Beast gave me a lighter sentence. The man was a fool. Bringing people back from the dead is unnatural. Just like you, abomination.”

“Watch your mouth!” Jay shook the man off his leg.

Frollo crumpled to the floor.

“She was made for you!” Frollo began to cackle. “Who is the monster and who is the man?”

Jay went to the door and knocked four times. The King’s Guard entered. They stood at attention.

“Take our guest back to his quarters on the Isle,” Evie spat out, disgust in her voice.

The guards had been ordered by Ben to follow Evie and Jay’s instructions.

“Yes, Ambassador.” The most senior guard saluted Evie.

Evie wondered at the title. It hardly fit. She was a girl from the Isle representing her people, sure. But she was hardly up to the task of advising the King on Isle affairs these days.

“And your name, sir?”

“Fidel Mensonge. Captain Fidel Mensonge.” The man stood at strict attention, chest out and chin up.

Evie continued to study the man. There was something about him she didn’t trust.

The two younger guards hauled Frollo from the ground. The villain started to laugh maniacally.

“I must attend to our prisoner, Ambassador,” Mensonge stared straight through her.

Evie nodded and said nothing more. The guard was someone to be suspicious of. But then she was suspicious more and more these days.

The guards took Frollo away.

Jay and Evie didn’t move to follow.

“Something you want to say?” Evie didn’t turn around.

“Mal was right.”

“I wasn’t going to do anything to him. His blood isn’t worth spilling. I just wanted to scare him,” Evie smirked.

“Well, you scared me.” Jay moved into her.

Evie stepped back from him. “I scared you?”

“I don’t want you to lose yourself. We don’t want to lose you,” Jay sighed. “When you got angry with Frollo, your eyes were completely black.”

That was why her eyes burned. Evie was surprised, but she didn’t show it. “I have it under control.”

“Your grief? Don’t let it turn into rage. That’s a fire that burns out of control. And you end up like our parents.” Jay wrapped her up in his strong arms. Evie let him.

“Come on,” Evie pulled out of the embrace. “I’m sure they’ve figured that Frollo is in one piece. So they’re waiting to check up on us. Well, more me than you I suppose. Though I’m sure that doesn’t apply to Lonnie.” She bumped Jay with her shoulder, a sly grin on her face.

When she and Jay stepped out into the hallway outside the interrogation room, Evie was surprised to see Chad actually acknowledging Lonnie. He had been giving her the cold shoulder ever since Cotillion. She was even more surprised to see Gil as part of the conversation, though she shouldn’t have been.

Both Lonnie and Gil’s face lit up when they saw Jay. Chad, on the other hand, was frowning. He took that as his cue.

Chad went to her side, distracting her from watching Jay flirt with Lonnie and Gil. The two didn’t seem to mind Jay’s divided attention.

The group made their way back up into Ben and Mal’s castle from the dungeons, walking and talking all the while.

“When the guards brought Frollo out he was screaming about hellfire. Did you show him your powers?” The prince was frowning worriedly.

“Please. Like anyone will believe him. They’ll think it’s more of his fire and brimstone bullshit. To him, every woman is a vile temptress demon. He’s a misogynist. He said it was Audrey’s own fault for what happened to her,” Evie growled.

“I know he’s an irredeemable bastard, but it just takes one person to believe him.” Chad held his hands up.

“Okay, I’ll be careful.” Evie decided to change the subject, more to satisfy her curiosity. She nodded at the trio walking ahead of them. “What’s up with them?”

“Well, Gil came down here looking for Jay. He was happy to see Lonnie. The two of them caught up since they last saw each other. And of course, it was like they were the only two people on earth and nothing else existed including me. My phone doesn’t get signal down here so I had no choice but to watch that disgustingly cute interaction. Then Jay came out and it was like the two got heart eyes for him.”

“Aww. You’re totally invested.” Evie bumped Chad with her shoulder.

“I am. And I’m about to win a lot of cash.” Chad grinned as he rubbed his hands together.

“Nope.” Evie linked her arm with his. “You’re splitting the pool with me.”

“Shoot.” Chad pouted. “You bet on the three of them too?”

“Ha! Yeah.” Evie smiled to herself. She knew that Jay was smitten with Gil and Lonnie. She was happy to see that Gil and Lonnie wouldn’t mind sharing. But also seemed to be growing closer themselves.

“We can hear you, you know!” Jay piped up as he looked back at the pair.

“Yeah. You haven’t won yet. But check back tomorrow,” Lonnie smirked.

“Whoa.” Evie gasped, pretending to be scandalized. “Too much information.”

“Get your mind out of the gutter, Eves. We’re going on a date later.” Jay wrapped his arms around Gil and Lonnie’s waists.

“That’s what I like to hear. Ka-ching,” Chad teased as rubbed fingertips of his free hand together.

“So how are we going to handle the shovel talk? I’m friends with all three of you,” Evie laughed, as they reached the stairwell.

“Aww. Thanks, Evie,” Gil beamed at her.

“I’ll just have to beat you all up if you break each other’s hearts.” Evie glared menacingly at each of them.

“You’ll probably have to get in line behind Uma and Harry,” Lonnie chuckled.

“Damn. You’re right,” Jay grimaced.

“Yeah. They don’t like it when I’m sad,” Gil agreed.

“Since I probably won’t stand a chance against Jay or Gil, I’ll be there rooting for Lonnie while she kicks either of your asses if you ever dare hurt her.” Chad pumped his fist in the air.

“You two are good now?” Evie looked between the prince and the warrior.

Their group stopped on the stairs to have it all out.

“Yeah. I told Lonnie about how her cheering for Mal and Ben at the tourney game made Audrey feel. I also apologized for being a jerk towards her at R.O.A.R. since that was partly me trying to get back at her for hurting Audrey. And the rest was being a sexist asshole.” Chad shook his head. He balled his hands up into fists, mad at himself more than anything. He slammed the bottom of his fist into the stone wall. “So much wasted time. If I wasn’t being a petty dickhead, maybe we could have gotten to Audrey sooner.”

“And I apologized for the part I played for losing Audrey.” Lonnie put her hand on Chad’s shoulder. “I should have been here. I should have realized-”

“We all had our parts to play. We can’t dwell on what ifs.” Evie pressed her lips together into a thin line.

Evie had already spoken to Lonnie. The other girl had come as soon as she heard about Audrey and had visited Evie in the hospital. She couldn’t get mad at Lonnie. The girl had done the same thing she had. Not realizing how much Audrey was hurting until it was too late.

Chad had been the only one to stick by Audrey after everything that happened at the Coronation. He hadn’t been able to be in the same room as Lonnie for the longest time.

“I’m sorry about Audrey, too. But we’re helping to get her back! Uma and Harry said.”

Gil could really cut to the heart of the matter. He might not have been the brightest but he knew what to say. It spoke volumes that the people that didn’t know Audrey at all were fighting for her return.

Lonnie looked guilty so Evie knew she was thinking the same thing. But she smiled softly at Gil. “You bet your ass we are!”

“Oh, man. You’re rubbing off on her!” Chad put the back of his hand on his forehead over dramatically.

“I mean not yet but hopefully!” Lonnie licked her lips.

“Li Lonald! I’m shocked! Shocked, I say! Well, not that shocked. I mean, Gil and Jay are hot,” Chad nodded at the other boys.

“And who’s rubbing off on who! You’re copying our hairstyles.” Jay pointed at his and then Gil’s long, flowing hair.

“Stop saying rubbing!” Chad grimaced.

“It looks good on you!” Gil offered as he climbed the last step to the ground floor of the castle. He walked backwards onto the ground floor to keep an eye on the rest of them.

“I love it too. It’s getting longer than mine,” Evie teased. She had no regrets about her undercut. “Screw you gender roles!”

“Dizzy wanted to braid it.” Chad played with a strand of it. “Doug likes it too.”

“Doug, huh?” Lonnie nodded with a knowing look. “I’m happy for you.”

Evie thought about how all her friends were pairing off. She wasn’t jealous or bitter. But she would be lying if she didn’t feel a twinge of something. Like it was shining a spotlight on what she was missing. She was left high and dry, as Harry and Uma would say. She wasn’t going to deny her friends a chance at love and happiness. She wasn’t going to fall to pieces. She wasn’t going to be the one screaming out.

All because the best thing she never had had gone away.

“You know. We should do something. All of us,” Evie brought up.

“Are you up for that?” Jay asked, opening one of the side doors that lead outside of the castle. He held the door open as they all filed outside.

“Jay, I will scream. I suggested it, didn’t I?” Evie scrunched her face up.

“Okay. Like a party?” Lonnie continued after Evie nodded, “But leave all the planning up to us. You just bring yourself.”

“Fine!” Evie relented. “You guys go have fun on your date.”

Jay shared a look with Chad that Evie caught. They were switching off on looking after her now, a changing of the guards.

“Bye, Evie!” Gil waved at her.

“Bye, guys.” Lonnie was in the middle of her boys as the trio walked away.

“Come on, Bodyguard.” Evie grabbed Chad by the arm. “Where’s your car? We’re going to talk to Hades.”

“Hades? Evie, what did I say. About doing this on the downlow?” Chad resisted the pull but not by much.

“Why wouldn’t I talk to my best friend’s father about her future wedding? Though Ben and Mal haven’t set a date yet, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared.” Evie said, voice sugary sweet.

“I won’t be able to talk you out of this,” Chad groaned. “I guess I should go as a possible contender for Best Man. Ha! I’m not even in the running, let’s be real. It’s down to Carlos or Jay. And I have no one else to blame.” His voice got watery.

“Chad, I’m sure you and Ben can reconnect. You’re definitely going to be a groomsman.” Evie took his hand in hers.

“Lonnie wasn’t the only person I was mad at for hurting Audrey. Maybe if I talked to Ben instead of being passive aggressive and petty…” Chad frowned as they walked together.

“It’s funny,” Chad continued. “Growing up, I expected to be the Best Man at Ben and Audrey’s wedding. But I probably should have been Maid of Honor since I was always closer to Audrey. When Audrey wanted to save face after being publicly humiliated like that, I helped her. When she showed up at Jane’s party with Maleficent’s scepter, I helped her. I gave her what she wanted, but not what she needed. I’m not going to make the same mistake with you.”

“And what do I need, Chad?” Evie stopped walking suddenly, ready to be defensive.

“I don’t know yet. I hate that I don’t know how to help.” Chad shook his head.

“Look at me.” Evie cupped his cheek with her hand. He was growing a beard, not intentionally; it was out of sorrow and mourning. It was soft against her palm. “You are helping.”

Chad nodded instead of thanking her. Evie wouldn’t have wanted it. They were helping each other after all.

“Where can we find Hades?”

“At his house?” Evie shrugged.

Mal had bought a house for her father so he could be off the isle as well as closer to her. It was similar to Evie’s starter castle, but with more rooms. They were practically neighbors since it was down the road from her own place. Mal probably planned that.

The sound of a sword striking sword sounded from somewhere. Chad looked apologetic and reached into his back pocket and brought out his phone.

“That’s your ringtone?” Evie chuckled. It was such a guy ringtone to have.

“It’s Ben.” Chad answered the phone. He scrunched his face up. “Seriously? I don’t. She’ll- Alright! It’s for you.”

Chad held his phone out to Evie. She looked at it. “Let me guess. It’s Mal.”

“It’s Mal,” Chad nodded. “I’m just going to put her on speaker phone.”

“Evie!” Mal’s voice rang out.

“Jay told you, didn’t he?” Evie asked, annoyed.

“He did. So we’re going to meet up with you at my dad’s.”

“Of course.” Evie rolled her eyes.

“Bring Chad if he wants to come.”

“Chad, want to be a human shield for Ben so he won’t be adorably nervous around his future father-in-law?” Evie teased, knowing Ben could hear her.

A loud, offended “Hey!” could be heard in the background.

“I’d love to,” Chad laughed. He unlocked his car. He waited for Evie to get in before slipping behind the wheel.

“Okay. See you soon,” Mal said.

“Bye, Mal.” Evie shook her head as the call ended. “Well, I was hoping to talk to Hades without Mal. But it’s probably for the best. I get the feeling he doesn’t like me much and only tolerates me because I’m practically his daughter’s sister.”

“Who wouldn’t like you? I liked you even when I didn’t like you. Like it’s a crime to not like you. Hades truly is a villain,” Chad gaped as he started the car. He really was an expressive guy. Evie thought about how we would be horrible at poker.

“I don’t know how to explain it.” Evie leaned back against the passenger seat. “When we crossed paths on the Isle, I thought it was because he was some big bag. But now that he’s in Mal’s life, he’s great with Carlos and Jay. Jokes around with them. And he actually likes Ben. He’s just been messing with him. With me though, he gives me this look sometimes that I used to get from people when I got to Auradon.”

“Like he doesn’t trust you because of who your parents are? And he’s just waiting for you to do something evil?”

“That’s the look.” Evie pointed at him.

“As if you’re capable of such things,” Chad looked back at the road.

Evie thought back to the interrogation with Frollo. How much she enjoyed tormenting him. It had given her such pleasure to see the fear and agony on his face. Jay had told her her eyes had gone black. It was the same feeling she had when she had stabbed that knief into Maleficent’s hand, twisting it to cause even more pain. A smile slipped on her face as she remembered. Then of course, her mother. She relished in the Evil Queen’s screaming and moans over her haircut.

“I am though.” Evie kept her eyes on him.

“Yes. You are,” Chad firmly admitted, taking back his earlier words.

“Wow. You’re not even going to say that I’m not.Thanks, Chad. And I mean that.”

She really did.

“Well since you want to go there. Yeah. I mean I heard about what you did to Maleficent. And Ben told me about that man that tried to touch Dizzy. That you probably killed him.”

“It was a slow and painful death.” Evie had made sure of it.

“Good. I’m glad. People underestimate you.Their mistake. But you only seem to go after people that deserve it. The rotten and heinous.” Chad nodded confidently.

“And that doesn’t scare you?” Evie furrowed her brows.

“You’re not a monster, Evie. You’re my friend.” Chad took his eyes off the road to stare her down.

She thought about telling Chad about her dreams. The ones that were so real and filled with lifetimes. In some of those, she was evil. She was worse than her mother. Worse than Maleficent. In her nightmares, she didn’t just go after the sinners. There were some where Chad had been one of her victims, like in a world were she convinced Mal to keep the wand for themselves. After Audrey had cried out “I told you so!” at the Coronation. It was the last straw after all of Auradon’s cruel words.

It was a nightmare, but it felt like a warning.

“Promise me,” Evie started. “If I ever cross that line. If I ever go evil, you’ll stop me.”

“What?” Chad jerked the steering wheel. “Evie!”

“Promise me!” Evie raised her voice. The air in the car crackled.

“Okay, okay! I promise. But I don’t think I’m that kind of friend.” Chad made the turn for Hades’s driveway.

“Chad! I’m being serious!” Evie hissed.

“I was trying to lighten the mood but I’m being serious too.” Chad pulled up alongside the Royal limo. He put the car into park. “I’m just me. I don’t think I can go up against you. You’re going to want Uma for this.”

“Uma. You’re right.” Evie slumped back against the passenger seat.

The daughter of Ursula was the one constant. She always sailed true. In all her nightmares, Uma always fought against the evil versions of her.

“Uma will help,” Evie unbuckled his seatbelt.

“You have my word.” Chad unbuckled his and turned towards her. “That if you ever become a villain, I will stop you. And I will get Uma to help me.”

“By any means necessary.” Evie held out her hand.

“By any means necessary.” Chad shook it.

The handshake was charged. A deal was made. Just like she had made with Facilier.

“Ouch!” Chad put his fingers in his mouth. “So you can do that? Make deals? Like Facilier?”

“I guess that’s what that is.” Evie scrunched her face and got out of the car.

Chad hurried after her. “You should do the same with Uma.”

“Believe me I will. And I’ll probably have Harry as well.”

If she had Uma and Harry, she’d probably have the entire crew of The Lost Revenge. Gil would be a problem though. Jay would be hurt if Gil even knew about a plan to hurt her, let alone act on it. She couldn’t risk her friend’s happiness like that.

The two of them walked up to the front door.

Evie rang the bell. Chad gave himself a once over.

“We can’t look as gorgeous and effortless as you, Pumpkin,” Chad grinned.

“Pumpkin?”

“Sorry.” Chad cringed. “I wasn’t thinking and it slipped out.”

“No, it’s cute,” Evie chuckled softly.

Ben opened the door. The young king looked relieved. “So glad you guys could join us.”

“Of course, Ben. Princes have to save damsels in distress after all. And your father-in-law is distressing,” Chad joked, but then he seemed to realize the two of them weren’t close like that.

“My hero,” Ben mussed Chad’s hair with a laugh making the other boy relax.“We’re downstairs.”

“The basement?” Evie rolled her eyes.

“Where else.”

Evie and Chad followed Ben to the basement. Since the majority of the furniture and decorations of the house were classy and elegant, she was sure an interior decorator was responsible. But in the basement was more Hades’s lair. While it was done in dark colors, it was still tasteful with wood paneling. Of course, there were guitars and framed posters on the wall. There was a pool table on the far side of the basement. There was also a fully stocked bar.

“Oh wow,” Chad looked around in awe. “I’m going to need the name of his interior decorator for when I get a place of my own.”

“I don’t know if you can afford me, Little Charming” The Lord of the Underworld was behind the bar. He was wearing a plain black t-shirt that showed off how fit he was paired with dark jeans.

“You put this all together?” Chad asked in awe.

“Yeah. Upstairs too.” Hades nodded towards the bar. “Drinks?”

So Evie had been wrong about Hades’s taste. She had to hand it to him.

“I’ll have what the lady is having.” Chad had his hand on the small of Evie’s back. It was comforting to have his support.

“I’ll have a Sidecar.” Evie requested, a slight challenge in her voice.

“Please,” Hades rolled his eyes. “I’ve been around for centuries before the island. I can make a Sidecar.”

The god went to work on the cocktail. Chad led Evie away.

“Wow. I see what you mean.” Chad leaned in close to Evie, whispering. “I thought he was just going to give you a glass of ice and tell you to wait instead of giving you a drink.”

“Evie and Chad. Well, I guess you came.” Mal waved them over. She and Ben were sitting on a couch, with Ben on one end and Mal in the middle. There was a young woman with dark skin and gorgeous dreadlocks sitting on Mal’s other side.

“I want you to meet my stepmother,” Mal introduced the woman.

“Miss Fine?” Evie raised an eyebrow.

“Hades is married to our history teacher?” Chad marveled.

“I’m older than I look.” Miss Fine winked.

Realization dawned on Evie. She curtsied. Chad followed her lead and bowed.

“Lady Persephone,” Evie greeted the woman.

“Miss Fine” was one of the few adults that didn’t treat them like crap when she and her friends had first showed up in Auradon.

“Have a seat.” Hades handed Chad and Evie their cocktails. “And be sure to use coasters.”

“Thank you, Lord Hades.” Chad bowed his head.

“Yes, thank you, Lord Hades.” Evie nodded politely. Just because Hades didn’t like her, didn’t mean she could be rude.

Hades sat in the armchair across from the loveseat that Evie and Chad were sitting in. The god stared her down, his eyes boring a hole into her. “It’s not poisoned, I promise.”

Evie wouldn’t put it past him. She took a sip of her drink. She tasted it then. She smirked. Hades had lied.

“I mean that’s more her mother’s thing, am I right?” Chad joked. Evie knew him well enough that he made jokes when he was uncomfortable. She laughed to sooth him.

But having the Evil Queen for her mother, she knew a thing about poisons. She had built up an immunity to the ones on the Isle.

Hades let out a roar of laughter at Chad’s joke. Ben’s eyes widened. He looked at Mal, who was frowning.

“You’re alright, Charming. Loss changes a man and you’ve changed for the better. Not a simpering little shit.” At Hades insult, Chad managed not to pout. “You’ve been putting yourself between me and Evie since you got here. And you’re trying to distract me. It’s a good instinct.”

“You’re a busy god,” Evie began. “I’m sure. So let’s make this quick and I’ll get out of your hair.”

“Speaking of hair, can I just say before we begin, how much I love the new ‘do? Really shows off the whole,” Hades flexed his fingers towards her and clenched his fist. “It’s about time you had to rely on your brains. Your beauty was just a crutch.”

Evie was well aware of what her face looked like. The part that Old Scratch had burned was uneven, like a topographic map with hills and valleys. She was proud of her scar. She had gone up against a powerful being when no one else had.

“Dad!” Mal scolded her father.

“It’s a compliment.”

“A backhanded one,” Mal pointed out.

“Hades,” Persephone warned.

“What? I was saying she was smart as hell.” Hades started to laugh. “I crack myself up. Come on. That was perfect.”

Evie just stared at Hades, no expression on her face. They fell into a staring contest. Hades broke first. He looked away.

“Who brought the dead Villains back to life?” Evie leaned forward.

“I’m not proud of the part I played but my hand was forced.” Hades slouched down in his armchair, his arms crossed.

“You did it against your will?” Evie raised a brow. “Who could do that? Someone as powerful as yourself was imprisoned on the Isle, after all. So someone even more powerful put you there. That was no mortal king.”

“I think you know the answer by now,” Hades huffed.

“Is that true, Dad?” Mal’s eyes widened in disbelief.

“It’s true, Mal,” Persephone answered. “What I can tell you is that it’s not the natural order of things. When you bring the dead back, they don’t always come back right.”

“And bringing them back doesn’t come cheap. I don’t know exactly what kind of deal Beast made but it must have been a big one.” Hades waved his hand and a glass with amber liquid materialized into it. He took a deep sip. “Their souls weren’t mine to give away. The Villains were Scratch’s prisoners.”

“My father,” Ben was frowning, deep in thought. “Made a deal with the Devil?”

“No. He made quite a few.” Hades gestured at Ben with his glass. Persephone leaned around Mal to comfortingly pat the prince’s leg.

“Bringing the Villains back and putting them on the Isle helped King Adam win the throne,” Chad stated. “The sense of security is why my father voted him as king.”

“How could they? Some of the Villains belonged there, but some people didn’t. How could these Heroes,” Evie spat the word out in disgust. “Not show any mercy or leniency. No compassion. Someone who stole to feed their family or worked under Gaston out of fear is not the same as Maleficent. The world isn’t so black and white.”

Unless…

“You said Beast made several deals,” Evie gave Hades a piercing glare. “Was getting enough votes part of it?”

“What? Like mind control?” Chad’s brows furrowed.

“No, no. Old Scratch doesn’t make people do anything against their will. He helps them with what they’ve been wanting. Take poor, tragic Audrey for example. Part of her wanted power and that’s the part that was tempted.” Hades pointed his drink towards Evie.

"When the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell." Persephone shook her head.

“They got what they wanted.” Ben crossed his arms and looked at the floor in disappointment. He found out his childhood heroes weren’t perfect.

“And the children of the Isle paid the price,” Chad murmured.

“The road to Hell is paved with good intentions,” Persephone nodded sagely. “Lucky for Old Scratch.”

“If you’re so afraid of the villains, why would you bring them back?” Mal asked the obvious.

“Beast wasn’t afraid of them. Everyone else was and he used that fear to control them. He put all the Villains behind the barrier so only he could keep the people of Auradon safe. It all makes sense now,” Evie sussed out.

The need to punish itched under her skin, begging for release. She raked her fingers along her thigh and clenched her teeth.

“What did my father trade for all of this?” Ben’s body was tense. He was barely containing his fury.

Hades studied him, like he was trying to guess the young king’s future actions. “A firstborn.”

“My father hurt so many people.” Ben balled up his fists. “I have to go.”

“Ben!” Mal called after him. She sighed. “I better go after him and make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid. Never thought I’d see the day.”

“Let me walk you out, Mal,” Persephone stood from the couch and helped Mal up.

Mal went over to Hades. Evie watched father hug daughter. She smiled at the sight. Hades had projected an image of being tough and hard, but he was a marshmallow when it came to people he cared about. He was obviously rethinking that hands off approach to parenting when it came to Mal. He was trying to be in her life more.

But she heard it then.

Hades’s whispered warning.

“Keep an eye on her. She’s her father’s daughter.”

Mal’s face flashed with confusion, before she schooled her expression to worry for her fiance. “Bye, Dad. Thank you for having us.”

Turning to Evie, Mal nodded. “I’ll call you later?”

They all watched Mal leave.

“I guess we’ll be heading out too.” Chad stood up.

“No.” Evie and Hades both said at the same time. The two were staring each other down. Chad sat back down.

“What the hell was that? You told Mal to be careful around me. Not to mention, you laced my drink.” Evie bared her teeth.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Chad eye his own drink with distaste and pushed the glass away.

“I knew that you knew.” Hades grinned, slapping his knee. He stood up and made his way over to the pool table. “And don’t worry your pretty little head, Charming. It was just Evie’s drink. Fancy a game?”

“My mother fed me poisons while I was growing up. I know what they taste like.” Evie shrugged as she joined him at the table.

“What is your life!” Chad looked horrified.

“But did you die? I know you think your mother was building your immunity for poisons, but that would have wrecked your health and left you bedridden.” Suddenly, Hades roared and fire erupted towards Evie and Chad.

Evie stepped in front of Chad and banished the flames coming towards them.

“This is getting annoying,” Evie picked up a cue stick.

“Poison and fire. Have you tried anything else?” Hades racked up the balls.

“Should I bother?” Evie didn’t keep the irritation out of her voice. “I’m nigh invulnerable.”

“No, but it would be fun to watch,” Hades chuckled.

Evie held the cue stick out to Chad. He looked at her and then the stick. She raised her eyebrow at him. He ducked his head in defeat and took the cue stick from her.

Hades realized too late what they were planning when Chad raised the cue stick above his head and brought it down on Evie’s head with all his strength.

The stick splintered. Evie barely felt the impact.

“You’re right. That was fun.” Evie smirked.

“Do that with someone else’s shit. Not mine. You owe me a new cue stick, Charming.” Hades handed Evie another cue stick.

It made sense to Evie. She had felt the changes. Ever since Old Scratch had burned her.

“You’re like a superhero! Do you have superstrength?” Chad exclaimed. At Evie’s odd look, he cleared his throat. “Doug loves superheroes. So I’ve borrowed some of his graphic novels.”

“You know,” Hades bent over to take a shot. He hit the cue ball. “People on the Isle thought you were my kid. It’s the hair. And we’re a good looking pair. But your mom slept with someone else devilishly handsome.”

“No,” Evie shook her head. “That can’t be true.”

“You already know it is.” Hades gave her a knowing look.

“You said Beast traded a firstborn for power.” Evie bit her lip, as she mulled it over. She shared her thoughts with Hades. “Not Beast’s firstborn. Just a firstborn. That’s me.”

“You are a smart one. You have to be careful with your exact words around your Old Man.”

“I’m nothing like him,” Evie spat out.

“Don’t be so sure,” Hades scoffed. “I heard about what you did to Maleficent. And you sent that handsey bastard straight to your father. You’ve been reading up on him. You know what his spawn is destined to do. You know what you are.”

“The Adversary.The Bringer of the Apocalypse. Destroyer of Worlds.” Evie murmured. That’s what the child of Old Scratch had been referred to in the text. She looked up at Hades.

“The Execution of All Things.” Hades added by interrupting. Evie rolled her eyes. “What? That’s my favorite one.”

“Well, I won’t be doing that. I refuse.” Evie###

“I can’t risk it,” Hades shook his head.

“So you’re going to kill me? To stop the end of the world,” Evie challenged, her head held high.

Chad put himself in between Hades and Evie.

“Relax, Charming.” Hades leaned against his cue stick. “Even if I had a way to kill her, I couldn’t.”

“That still sounds like you want to kill her,” Chad protested.

“I do.” Hades shrugged, “No offense.”

“How can wanting to kill her be anything but offensive?” Chad narrowed his eyes at the god.

“No, it’s not. I mean, I get it. It’s nothing personal, right? One person’s death saves the whole world.” Evie took her turn. She sank the 6 ball in a corner pocket.

“I’m hardly being altruistic.” Hades taunted smuggly. “Just thinking about me and mine.”

“And I guess the fact that there won’t be an Underworld left factors in?” Evie quipped as she took another shot. She knocked another ball in.

“That too.” Hades frowned since he was losing to Evie.

“Okay. I’ll bite, why can’t you kill Evie?” Chad pursed his lips, like he was wondering what was keeping Hades from murdering them where they stood.

“I hurt his halfling, he’ll put mine in the ground. Which is fucked. Nothing can harm you now. But plenty can harm Mal. Old Scratch can do anything to her and I can barely put a dent in you.” Hades growled at Evie. His hair flared up as he got in her face.

Evie didn’t flinch. Chad moved to seperate them, but Evie held a hand up to stop the prince.

“Hades,” Persephone cautioned her husband. She had finally returned from wherever she had been. She was carrying a tray with a plate of cookies.

Everyone in the basement finally relaxed. Chad let out the breath he was holding. Hades sneered at Evie, while Evie just smiled at him sweetly.

“Have a cookie and maybe you’ll calm down,” Persephone handed her husband a cookie.

“Yes, dear.” Hades took a bite. Once he finished chewing, he let out a deep breath.

“You have something to say to young Evie, don’t you, dear?”

Hades grumbled.

“What was that?” Persephone prompted her husband.

“I haven’t been fair to you.” Hades seemed to be looking everywhere except at Evie. The god wasn’t used to apologizing. “I hate your father. He does something horrible and I get blamed. Also, why does he get his own comic book? I hate it.”

“Wait, that’s all true?” Chad gasped. When she realized everyone was staring at him because of his outburst, he had the decency to look sheepish. “Sorry, the comic book thing is…”

Persephone laughed and it was a melodic sound. “You don’t know how much I have to hear about the comic book. And the musicals.”

“Forever the villain because mortals are afraid of death.” Hades took another cookie from the tray.

“I guess that’s as good as an apology that I’m ever going to get.” Evie said curtly. “If there’s nothing else.”

“Just know I’ll be watching you.” Hades sneered at her.

“Wouldn’t expect anything less.” Evie flashed him a tight-lipped smile. But she leaned over the table with her cue stick. She took her shot and pocketed the nine ball. “I win.”

Persephone chuckled at Evie’s smirk and her husband’s pouting. She flicked her hand and the tray the cookies were on folded itself into a box. She picked it up and presented it to Chad. “You kids take some cookies for the road. They’re vanilla pomegranate oatmeal.”

Hades's jaw dropped. “But-”

“Hush,” Persephone pinched Hades’s on the side. “You know I saved you some.”

“Lady Persephone, Lord Hades, thank you for your hospitality.” Evie curtsied towards her hosts while Chad once again bowed.

“Thank you for coming. I’ll walk you out.” Persephone turned towards her husband. “Your cookies are in the kitchen.”

“Say no more,” Hades waved his hand and a plate of cookies appeared in his other one. “Later. Or sooner than you think, Charming.”

Chad went pale. Evie glared at the god of the Underworld.

“What! Let me have some fun. He broke my cue stick.” Hades pouted.

“Goodbye, Lord Hades,” Evie gritted her teeth.

Persephone led them up the stairs to the front door.

“Um, Lady Persephone.” Chad held the cookie tin in one hand and rubbed the back of his neck with the other. “Sorry for all the times I was a pain in class.”

“There were a lot of those times. But you’re forgiven.” Persephone turned to Evie. “You got this, Evie.”

“Miss Fine” had been one of Evie’s favorite teachers, who had given advice and pep talks. It was why she was so popular with the students. She knew that Audrey had also adored their history teacher. It had been the other girl’s favorite subject. It was a class they had shared together.

Persephone in her guise as Miss Fine had given their class some wise words. “There’s so much pressure on you guys, and I don’t think your families understand. Learn to bend before you break. And if you break, you heal.”

Evie had listened and she thought Audrey had too.

But Audrey had broken instead.

And Evie knew she had to heal, to fix it all when all she wanted to do was hurt.

“You’re not Orpheus,” Persephone put her hand on Evie’s shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “Don’t look back. Never look back.”

“I have no doubts about finding Audrey. And I’m not so stuck in the past. No what ifs. I’m only looking to the future and getting her back.” Evie clenched her jaw.

Nothing would stop her. Not even her own doubts and fears.

“Good girl,” Persephone smiled.

“Thank you, for everything. You always were my favorite teacher. My favorite adult even.”

“I mean, the bar was so low,” the goddess laughed.

“But you went above and beyond. And I’ll always be grateful. I know, you were probably there to keep an eye on us. Especially me because my father. But I can’t really blame you.”

“I’ll let you two go,” Persephone looked between the two teens. “Take care of yourselves out there.”

“Not that Evie needs it, but I’ll take care of her.” Chad smiled at Evie. “If she’ll have me.”

“If you need anything, don’t hesitate to come to us. Yes, even Hades is willing to help you.” Persephone opened the door.

“I will.” Evie nodded solemnly.

Evie and Chad made it to his car and got it. Persephone stayed at the front door and watched them drive off. The goddess waved a final goodbye. Then they pulled out of the driveway and on their way to Evie being consumed by her thoughts and discoveries.

“Man,” Chad’s voice interrupted Evie’s musings. “I’m so lucky she didn’t curse my ass every time I was one in class. I would not look good with donkey ears.”

“That was Apollo and Midas.” Evie murmured and then she went back to staring blankly ahead.

“Well, at least you’re still correcting me. I’ll take it.” Chad observed wistfully. “But then again, you’re like really calm considering you just found out who your dad is. I would be on the ground curled up into a ball and pissing my pants.”

“No. I'm furious.” Evie shook her head.

“On, the inside?” Chad asked weakly, his face scrunched up. “From where I’m sitting you’re not doing a lot of emotion.”

Evie looked at him. “Actually. Why are you still here?”

“Like why haven’t I screamed and pissed my pants at finding out who your dad is?” At Evie’s nod, Chad continued. “I’m not going to abandon another friend when they need me.”

“Well, you should,” Evie murmured. She thought of her other friends. Would they be safe around her?

“Evie, this doesn’t change anything. You’re still you. You’re still my friend.” Chad glanced at her. Then he looked thoughtful. “Why are we even doing this? We’ve had like three adventures where we all learned we aren’t our parents.”

“Chad, you promised!” Evie glared at him.

“I believe,” Chad took on his tone of someone who was used to arguing rules. “Your exact words were if you crossed a line, and mine were if you ever became a villain. Neither of those things have happened yet.”

“Jerk.” Evie teased, no malice behind her words. “Using my exact words against me.”

Exact words. That made her think of her father even more and his machinations in Auradon.

“Hey, let’s not think about him,” Chad soothed. “We can do whatever you need.”

“I need to break something,” Evie ground out.

“I know a place.”

Chad drove them a little ways out of the city limits. Evie had no idea where they were going, there didn’t seem to be anything around.

“Okay, you’re probably wondering where we’re going since it seems like nothing is out here. But I think you’ll enjoy it,” Chad waggled his eyebrows up and down.

The sun would be up for a few more hours.

Chad turned off the main road. There was a sign in fancy golden letters on a fancy stone wall that said Rocky Point Shooting Club. Chad pulled his car up to the guard house next to a big black iron gate. He rolled the window down.

“Good afternoon, uh, Jason. Are there a lot of people now?”

“Prince Chadwick!”The guard looked startled. He saluted awkwardly and then bowed. “Uh, there’s not too many people, your highness. Just you and your guest.”

“Excellent.” Chad smacked his hand on the steering wheel. “Thank you, Jason.”

“Thank you, your highness.”

Evie gave the guard a sweet smile. “Thank you, Jason.”

The guard beamed and waved them through.

“Wow, Chadwick. He seemed surprised you stopped to talk to him.”

“Well, yes,” Chad coughed. “I usually just nod at them. As I drive past.”

“Aww. Kindness is a good look on you. So a shooting club?”

“Yes, one of several clubs my family is members of. My grandfather and father enjoy trophy hunting. And I don’t. It’s not hunting for food, which I understand. My family doesn’t need to hunt. They enjoy it,” Chad grimaced. “But being a champion shooter gets them off my back.”

“I’m sorry, Chad.”

“Well, I mean your father is-” Chad pointed at the ground.

“Ugh.”

“Exactly. So I thought that breaking shit would be fun. I know it relaxes me.”
“I can count on my only hand how many times I’ve fired a gun.” Evie raised two fingers.

“Okay, I mean. I would have thought the number would be zero because why would the Isle even have guns. Gaston and Clayton live there. Does Ben know those guys are armed?” Chad’s eyes widened.

“There was a handful of pistols people would constantly steal from each other. There were hardly any bullets or anything. So it was pretty useless to posture with,” Evie shrugged. “But you were saying?”

Chad still looked tense, but he didn’t ask any follow up questions. Like if any of those times involved shooting someone.

“I was thinking of a different kind of firepower.” Chad raised his hand and spread his fingers. “Pew, pew.”

“My fire?”

“Yep. Before there was a shooting club here, this all used to be Rock Pointe quarry. And parts of the quarry got filled in with water that the clay pigeons fly out over, so we don’t have to worry about setting any fires.” Chad waggled his eyebrows. “So what do you say?”

“Okay,” Evie shook her head, chuckling.

“Let’s see what you got. Let me sign us in and get my shotgun and we’re good to go.”

Chad paid her guest fee. He even bought Evie a pair of safety glasses and ear protection, explaining they were required even if she didn’t need them. Evie did have to attend a very short class explaining gun safety and range rules, not that she needed them but everyone else did. When she met back up with Chad, he had a carrying case and a box of shotgun shells.

“Ready?” Chad had his safety glasses on and his ear protection around his neck.

“I sure am.”

“We have the whole place to ourselves.” Chad led her to a shooting cart. He secured his gun case in the storage box and looked at her. “Want to drive?”

“I sure do.” Evie grinned and got behind the wheel.

Evie took it slow. She didn’t speed and just stayed in control the whole time. Chad didn’t say anything. They just enjoyed the silence. Evie had learned to drive properly and legally after Cotillion, they all had. But Evie had to learn how to drive again now that she only had one arm. She wasn’t going to let that hold her back.

Nothing was going to hold her back.

Once they got to the field, Chad explained what they were going to do. He’d shoot first then she would. And they would move stations.

“Pull!” Chad shouted loud enough for it to be picked up by the microphone in front to launch the target.

The clay pigeon flew out over the water. Chad pointed his shotgun. He pulled the trigger and hit the target.

Next was Evie’s turn.

Evie concentrated and called up her flames. Once she saw the fire in her palm, she yelled, “Pull!”

She threw the fireball out and missed. She growled.

They changed positions, each moving to the right. Chad took his turn, again hitting his target.

On Evie’s turn she lit up again. Her flames formed her missing arm. The target sailed from the trap house. She threw out a fireball.

The clay pigeon exploded.

Evie let out a celebratory whoop, which meant that another clay target was released prematurely. She looked at Chad apologetically, but he just grinned and flashed her a thumbs up.

They fell into a rhythm between the two of them over several rounds. Chad would point then Evie would. She changed it up each time. Sometimes she would throw her fire out like a ball. Other times, he would punch a burst out after taking a stance like a boxer or Jay when he fought. Chad even set it up so they could shoot two targets and she got to throw fire from each hand. A jab and a cross.

They decided to take a break, and enjoy the cookies that Persephone had gifted them.

“Damn, these are good,” Chad put the tips of his fingers to his lips and made a kissing noise. “Unexpected yet perfect combination. Vanilla pomegranate oatmeal, who knew?”

“Chad? Thanks for this. I’m having fun. And I can see why you’re a champion shooter.”

“Hey, I’m happy to help. You were great out there, Pumpkin.” Chad winked.

“I’m not going to lie. I’m wondering if I’m bulletproof.”

“You are a curious one,” Chad groaned. “Scientific minds don’t know when to stop. You and Doug have that in common.”

“That they don’t.” Evie hopped out of the shooting cart. “So are you going to shoot me or what?”

“You are way too excited to get shot.”

“It’s for science!” Evie shook her pointer finger eagerly.

“You’re lucky I like you,” Chad sighed.

Evie’s life had never been normal, but she was able to shield Rory for the most part. So far, her daughter had a better childhood than she had. Which was pretty easy to do. Rory was loved and the little girl knew she was loved.

She was afraid for her daughter. It wasn’t common knowledge that Old Scratch was Evie’s father. It would have put her in a world of hurt. A mob would be at her door. People knowing her mother was the Evil Queen was enough for them to judge her. And that judgement extended to Rory.

Not to mention the fact that whispers had followed Evie in the street when they learned she was a single mother. Their small minds would be blown if they knew the truth behind Rory’s conception.

The Grey Lady was just another complication. If this entity was friend or foe, Evie could handle it. She had her family behind her.

Because Evie had power.

Such power inside her that it scared her.

That had scared an old king. That had scared a god.

And she had passed it on to her daughter.

The world would come after her daughter. Just like it had come after her.

The world hadn’t ended.

But if anything happened to her daughter, Evie couldn’t be sure it would stay that way.

Notes:

Hope this is all coming together for you all!

Please leave a comment of what you liked and didn't like! Trying to get out of the scenes in the past and get back to more sense in the present soon.

There were references to "The Devil and Daniel Webster," "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," Hadestown and the Lucifer comic books in this chapter.

Persephone says "When the devil wants to get something out of you, he doesn't lie at all. He tells you the exact, literal truth. And he lets you find your own way to hell.” which is a quote from Lucifer: Children and Monsters, as written by Mike Carey.

Notes:

Was this okay? I don't even know what I'm doing.